Last Dance

Amynoelle and Heaven

Rating: R
Genres: Romance, Humor
Relationships: Harry & Hermione
Book: Harry & Hermione, Books 1 - 5
Published: 05/06/2005
Last Updated: 03/10/2010
Status: In Progress

A soap opera style fic about the next generation of characters from the core couples of Dirty Dancing. There's still lots of H/Hr in here!

1. Story Explanation, Plug, and Important Author's Note!

This is the last continuing story to the Dirty Dancing Universe. It spans over a large number of years, and reads more like a soap opera. It starts out right after Hillsdale Nights ends, and reaches far into the future when the grandchildren of the core couples are growing up.

There will be a mixture of fluff, drama, and comedy for all your favourite characters and even the characters you love to hate.

Some stay in the spotlight and some of them are happy to fade into the background (to escape drama) but we try to keep a happy balance.

We do not know when this story will end. We come up with storyline ideas all the time and as long as that happens, we will continue writing the characters in this universe.

*** *** ***

Portkey.org staff coerced begged blackmailed requested us to include this plug:

· PK ROR - NC-17 forum

After a loooong hiatus, we’ve reopened our NC-17 board called the ROR (Room of Requirement). There will be explicit content in this forum thus making it strictly for adults (over 18's) only! To get your ROR pass, please head over to the PK ROR forum.

· PK Spotlight

Keep your eye out for the Spotlight Project, with the first issue in June! The Spotlight project team would interview fellow HP shipmates, most of whom would be PK members but may also include guests. This is another attempt for all of us to get to know our fandom-mates better. You might be our next interviewee! For more info and if you’re interested to join, please visit our PK Spotlight forum.

For more PK News, please visit PK News Forums or alternatively PK’s LiveJournal.

Thank you.

PK Staff

2. Wonderful Tonight

Wonderful Tonight – Eric Clapton

It's late in the evening; she's wondering what clothes to wear.
She puts on her make-up and brushes her long blonde hair.
And then she asks me, "Do I look all right?"
And I say, "Yes, you look wonderful tonight."

We go to a party and everyone turns to see
This beautiful lady that's walking around with me.
And then she asks me, "Do you feel all right?"
And I say, "Yes, I feel wonderful tonight."

I feel wonderful because I see
The love light in your eyes.
And the wonder of it all
Is that you just don't realize how much I love you.

The morning of Lavender's wedding found the blonde awake and getting ready at half past nine. "I hardly slept at all last night," she said to her cousin. "I'm so bloody excited!"

Hermione laughed. "If you play your cards right you won't be getting any sleep tonight, either."

Lavender grinned. "That much was already a given. And you're one to talk Hermione. I'm surprised you and Harry ever get any sleep at all."

Hermione patted her stomach and smiled. "When this one comes along, I reckon we won't get any sleep."

"I still can't believe you're pregnant again." Lavender swept her hair up.

"Neither can I," Hermione said walking over to the closet and pulling out Lavender's dress robes.

"Seamus has tried to catch me in those since I finished them." Lavender slid them on. "He's such a prat."

"He's going to swoon when he sees you in them," Hermione said admiringly. "They really are beautiful, Lav."

"Thank you," Lavender beamed with pride. "It's a new record for me- I've never finished such an elaborate set of robes within one month."

Hermione smiled. "You had a wonderful incentive."

"That I did," Lavender said, thinking of the man who would be her husband in a few short hours. "I can't wait to be married. This feels so much different than those other ones Hermione."

"What other ones?" Hermione teased. "I thought they didn't count."

"You know what I mean," Lavender jabbed her cousin playfully in the side.

"I do," Hermione said grinning at her. "I am so happy for you both. I just wish you weren't moving so far away."

"I know," Lavender said, sobering. "I'm going to miss you so much Hermione."

Hermione started to cry. When Lavender tried to comfort her, Hermione waved her hand.

"Don't mind me," Hermione whimpered. "I cry at the drop of a hat these days and just thinking about you leaving started me off again."

"I promise to be here when this little one is born," Lavender vowed. "No matter where I am or what I'm doing, I'll drop it and be here on the spot."

"I know you will," Hermione said giving her cousin a hug. "And you can floo in whenever you want."

"Which I already know Harry will just love," Lavender teased, trying to make her cousin laugh again.

Hermione dabbed at her eyes. "Well you know he's just having a go at you when he complains about that."

"Harry and I have a history of having a go at each other," Lavender grinned.

"That's Mr. Wonderful to you," Hermione said, recalling Lavender's old nickname for him.

Lavender laughed. "Does he still make you call him that?"

"Every once in awhile," Hermione replied. She looked at her watch. "We better get a move on. You're due at the church soon."

"I'm a little nervous," Lavender confessed as they left her flat.

"You have no reason to be," Hermione reassured her. "It's a small wedding---just your friends and family. And you're marrying the love of your life."

"That's true," Lavender smiled. "He just better not have gone and gotten pissed last night."

"Harry just said they were taking him out for drinks," Hermione said. She didn't let her cousin know that she'd not seen Harry at all since leaving him early yesterday evening.

"If they wound up at the Veela Snatch he'll be sleeping outside tonight," Lavender frowned. "You don't think they'd go there do you? It was bad enough they went there when you and Harry got married but that place has just gone downhill--"

"I don't think they went there, Lav," Hermione interjected, hoping that they hadn't.

"How are things with Julie and Nick?" Lavender changed the subject.

Hermione smiled. "Great. I've never seen her so happy."

"A part of me still can't believe that a Malfoy turned out to be... nice." Lavender said. "He's so charming too."

"He's a Weasley too," Hermione reminded her. "In fact, he's more a Weasley than a Malfoy when you think about it."

"That goes without saying," Lavender snorted. "I'm just so glad for Jules."

"Me too," Hermione said. "Everything's falling into place for her. She has Nick and she's starting her new job next month."

"Not to mention that adorable little cottage they found in Guilford," Lavender added. "It sort of reminds me of the place you and Harry lived in when you first moved in together."

Hermione nodded. "I know. Speaking of places to live, you didn't tell me where you and Seamus will be staying? Are you going to live at his place or will the two of you find something new?"

"He's got a cosy place above his studio," Lavender said. "But I want a big house over there. You should just SEE some of the mansions Hermione."

"Ah," Hermione said. "I get it. Small wedding, but you want a BIG house."

"Exactly," Lavender said in satisfaction. "I already have my eye on an enormous home it's right on the beach."

"And it has a floo connection, right?" Hermione asked. "Or will once you buy it..."

"It will once we get it," Lavender's eyes gleamed. "It's so bloody rich there. I fit in like a glove."

"Of course you do," Hermione said, genuinely happy for her cousin. Everything she'd ever wanted, she was going to have.

"When did Aunt Elinore say they were getting here?" Lavender asked once they were in the church.

"Should be any minute now," Hermione said looking at her watch. "If you think I'm overly emotional, wait until Mum arrives."

"I remember how hard she cried at your wedding," Lavender grinned.

"Yes, when she wasn't driving me bloody mad about how I should wear my hair and what flowers I should have," Hermione said with a laugh.

"Oh, Lav!" Cho said coming over to them with Luna in tow. "Look how beautiful you look!"

"Thanks you guys," Lavender hugged her friends. "You both look stunning as well!"

"Nowhere near as beautiful as you," Luna told her.

"I'm the bride," Lavender teased with a grin. "I'm supposed to look the best."

"And the most modest as well," Hermione joked.

Lavender stuck her tongue out at Hermione which only caused everyone to nearly collapse into giggles.

"Careful ladies," Cho said. "We don't want her to ruin her makeup!"

"Have you seen the guys yet?" Hermione asked Luna.

"Last night," Luna said. "Ronald never came home."

"Neither did Neville," Cho said.

Lavender frowned. "I don't like this..."

Josh was walking by with Lizzy and Luna called her son over. "Sweetheart, have you seen your father today?"

"Nope," Josh replied, his arm around the blonde. "Wow Lavender, you look really nice!"

"Thank you, Joshua," Lavender beamed at him.

"If you see him tell him to come back here immediately," Luna instructed. "That goes for any of the guys but Seamus."

"Okay, Mum," Josh promised. "And don't worry. Jon and Allie are looking after Maddie, Drew and Darla."

"All right," Luna said.

"Don't worry Lav," Hermione said. "Harry was in charge last night and he won't have let anything bad happen."

"That might not be a good thing," Cho said tactlessly. "You remember how he was in charge of Ron's stag night? I didn't know it was possible to get..."

"They did get rather pissed," Luna replied, a frown creasing her brow.

Lavender nervously began to pace in front of her friends. "If Seamus Finnigan is late for our wedding so help me---"

"He won't be late," Hermione said in a soothing manner. "Come on, why don't Cho and I go and look around a bit and I bet they're coming in right now."

"Thanks Hermione," Lavender said watching as Hermione and Cho walked away. "Luna, do you really think I'm worrying for nothing?"

"Maybe a bit," Luna replied, hoping her friends would find the men.

The groom-to-be was actually trying to get dressed. A late night of drinking with his friends hadn't been such a great idea, he thought to himself as he tried to put on his tie.

"I'm sorry," Ron called out from the next room. "But you should know never to trust me to set the alarm! I was too pissed last night!"

Harry glared at him. "It was your only bloody responsibility Ron."

"Oh sod off, Harry," Ron grumbled. "You were the one who kept buying all those shots."

"And I would have still remembered to set the alarm." Harry snapped back. "Ugh I hope someone here knows how to make a hangover potion."

"I've got it," Neville said coming into the room carrying two mugs.

"I'm not drinking anything you fixed Longbottom," Ron said shaking his head.

"It's better than nothing," Harry grabbed a mug and downed it's contents.

Neville pushed a mug at Ron. "Come on, Ron. You'll thank me for it."

"I'm still alive and kicking," Harry said sarcastically.

Reluctantly, Ron took the mug and he winced when he got a whiff of the potion.

"It smells like shite," he groaned.

"Doesn't taste much better," Neville said ruefully. "But it's either this or a nasty hangover and I think Lavender might drive a spike heel up your arse if you show up the way you are."

Ron nodded and quickly drained the mug.

He coughed. "It tasted like shite, too."

"I had to give Seamus a double dose," Neville grinned. "So be glad that's all it was Weasley."

"Right, right," Ron said, feeling the nausea and headache going away.

"Oi Seamus!" Harry hollered. "How you feeling mate?"

"Nervous," Seamus called back. "We need to get a move on. We're late as it is."

"Right," Harry pulled his jacket on. "You clean up well." he grinned at Seamus.

"Thanks Potter," Seamus said. He looked at Ron who was still wearing his clothes from last night. "Ron!"

"What?" Ron whined. "I'm getting dressed!"

"Move faster," Seamus ordered.

Ron stumbled into his trousers. "You wankers going to sit around and watch?" he asked crabbily.

"You wish," Seamus said glaring at him.

"How about Nev and I go ahead to the church," Harry offered. "That way we can tell Lavender that you're just running a little behind."

"I'm ready to go," Seamus said. "We're just waiting on Weasley here."

"I'm ready," Ron said grabbing his tie and slipping into his shoes. "Let's roll."

"Amazing how fast you clean up," Seamus muttered.

"The sooner we get to the church, the sooner you get married," Ron explained cheekily. "And the sooner we get to eat!"

Harry, Neville and Seamus managed to share a three way look. "Surprise that you have food on the brain," Neville teased. "Ten minutes ago you swore you'd never eat again."

"Thanks to Neville's little brew, I'm a new bloke," Ron said. "But seriously, we are getting too old for this."

"Aye," Harry laughed. "Well we ARE all finally married, or going to be in about a half hour."

"Right," Seamus said impatiently. "Let's go!"

The men had just entered the church as Hermione and Cho were walking across the main lobby. "There you are!" Hermione said. "Where on earth have you been?"

"We overslept," Harry replied. "That's all."

Both Hermione and Cho looked at Ron. "Bet it was your fault," Cho cracked.

"Technically it was Potter's fault," Ron said defensively. "He was the one who dared me to..."

"Dared you to what?" Hermione asked, folding her arms.

"Shut up Ron," Harry glowered.

"Right," Ron said sheepishly. "We just went out to get a drink or two."

Hermione gave her husband a cold stare. "If this wasn't my cousin's wedding day..."

"You look beautiful Hermione," Harry said moving to kiss her. "As always..."

"We have a half hour," Hermione turned her cheek.

"Busted," Ron muttered gleefully under his breath.

Hermione glared at him again. "You're not off the hook Ronald Weasley. Just wait until Luna hears why you were late."

"Come on Hermione!" Ron exclaimed. "Don't tell me you girls didn't have a drink or two last night as well..."

"I didn't," Hermione shot back. "Pregnant? Remember?"

"Oh yeah," Ron said sheepishly.

"I'd better go and meet with the vicar," Seamus said. "Hermione? If you see Lavender, would you tell her I can't wait to see her, okay?"

"Okay Seamus," Hermione smiled at him. "You look very handsome."

"Thank you," he said giving her a hug. "Go easy on that husband of yours. He behaved himself last night."

"Okay," Hermione kissed his cheek.

Meanwhile, the wedding guests were starting to arrive. Allison and Jon were sitting in the second row watching over Maddie, Drew, Darla and Frankie.

Maddie kept looking over her shoulder for Ethan, who hadn't arrived yet.

"He is coming, isn't he?" Maddie asked Jon.

"He'll be here Mad Dog," Jon assured his little sister.

Maddie smiled. "I'm going to save him a seat."

"I bet he'll be really excited to know that," Jon grinned at Allison, who giggled.

"I wish Dolly could have come too," Maddie said wistfully.

"She'd have made a mess of things," Frankie said.

"She would have been in her cage," Maddie told her.

"You can save her a piece of wedding cake," Allison told the little girl. "You remember how much she loved those cookies you and I baked when I visited, right?"

"That was fun Allie," Maddie said. "I wish you could come back and stay until school starts."

"Me too," Jon said under his breath.

Allison smiled. "I had so much fun with you guys."

"Maybe when you come back for Christmas you can stay over again!" Maddie said excitedly.

"I'd love that," Allison said. The two weeks she'd spent in Ireland with the Weasleys went by way too fast.

"We'll have to ask your parents," Jon put his arm around her shoulders. "Or maybe I can come stay at your place right after Christmas."

"Our first Christmas," Allison said happily. "Together, I mean."

"I know," Jon grinned. "I already have ideas on what to get you for a gift. And no, I'm not giving you hints."

Frankie rolled her eyes. "I'm going to go and find Mum."

"The ceremony's about to start Frankie," Allison said.

"Oh," Frankie said, sitting back down. "I'll stay but quit talking mushy stuff."

Allison rolled her eyes at Jon who grinned. "Come on Frankie, when you get your first boyfriend we'll all get to hear about it about twenty times."

"And you'll listen just like I listen to you about Jon," Frankie said smugly.

"She tells you about us?" Jon asked. "What does she say?"

"She doesn't tell me...exactly," Frankie said. "I've heard her say things to Chiaki though."

"You little sneak!" Allison said glaring at her sister.

Frankie shrugged. "If you'd only tell me then I wouldn't have to spy on you."

"You're not supposed to eavesdrop," Drew said. "It's not polite."

"Thank you Ms. Manners," Frankie rolled her eyes.

Drew was about to retort when Maddie let out a happy squeal. "Ethan!" she waved to the boy who'd come in with Julie and Nick. "I saved you a seat!"

Ethan paled. "Come on, Jules. Let's sit over here."

"Ethan come on," Julie tugged her brother's hand. "It's just Maddie."

"It's just that I think she fancies me," Ethan whispered.

"That's fairly obvious Ethan," Nick grinned at him. "Come on, she's cute and it'll make her day if you sit by her."

"It'll make MY day if I don't," Ethan argued.

"She's not going to do anything to you." Julie said. "Don't be a baby Ethan."

"I'm not a baby," Ethan grumbled, reluctantly following his sister down the aisle toward Maddie and the others.

"Ethan you can sit next to me!" Maddie's face was practically alit with joy.

"That's okay," Ethan said. "I'll sit beside Nick."

Nick pushed Ethan down onto the bench next to his young cousin. "And I'll sit here next to Jules."

Ethan glared at him. "Fine."

"Do you think our wedding will be like this?" Maddie asked him. "Dolly can be our flower girl."

Ethan stared at her open mouthed. "Our wedding?"

"I already told you about that," Maddie smiled winningly at him.

"We're kids," Ethan told her. "We can't get married."

"You can if Mum and Dad say so," Julie teased her brother.

Ethan was beyond happy to see Seamus walking down the aisle with his father and the vicar. The ceremony was about to begin and hopefully Maddie would stop talking nonsense.

Nick put his arm around Julie as they waited for everyone else to arrive. "This is nice," he said softly. "Just sitting here with you."

"I know," she said leaning against him. "You're right where you belong, Nick."

"Where I should have been all along." Nick replied.

Julie smiled. "It doesn't matter what happened now. We're not going to think about the past, remember? We're going to think about our future."

"Our future," Nick grinned back before leaning in to give her a kiss. "I love the sound of that."

"Me too," Julie said softly.

Lavender took her Uncle Robert's hand and tried not to cry. "I wish my parents could see me now."

"I'm sure they do," Robert squeezed his niece's hand. "But I'm proud of you Lavender, as proud as any parent could be."

"Thanks, Uncle Robert," Lavender said, her lower lip trembling. "I can't believe this is actually happening."

"Third time's the charm right?" Robert teased gently.

Lavender laughed. "You know those others didn't count."

"Of course," Robert said. "Well your young man is up there waiting for you. Shall we?" he asked with a smile.

"I have kept him waiting for too long," Lavender said grinning at her uncle.

"By all means," Robert said. His wife was already sitting up in the front and crying, Hermione trying to keep her calm.

Lavender's eyes locked on Seamus as she and Robert slowly made their way down the aisle.

"Hopefully your dad has a good grip so she doesn't turn and run," Harry said under his breath.

Hermione elbowed him in the ribs. "You are so not helping your case right now."

"What did I do?" he asked innocently

"Stayed out all night for one," Hermione whispered. "And for another you're making jokes at the worst possible time."

Harry sat back sullenly. "It's not as if I've never done that before," he whispered back as Lavender and Robert made it up the aisle.

"Done what---stayed out all night?" she asked him quietly.

"Yeah," Harry replied as the vicar began the ceremony. "You've never been in a strop about it before."

Hermione bit back her retort. She didn't want to ruin her cousin's wedding by picking a fight with Harry. But she certainly planned to let him have it when they were alone.

Harry crossed his arms and tried not to pout as Lavender and Seamus exchanged their vows.

When the ceremony was over, Lavender and Seamus kissed as their guests stood and applauded.

"I'm finally Mrs. Finnegan," Lavender said tearfully to her husband.

"So you are going to take my name then?" he teased, kissing her once more.

Lavender laughed. "Perhaps," she said coyly.

"Whether you go by Brown, Finnegan, or Brown-Finnegan you're still my wife," he said softly. "That's the important thing."

"Yes it is," Lavender hugged him as their friends and family swarmed around them.

Hermione hugged her cousin, tears flowing down her cheeks. "Congratulations!"

"Thank you," Lavender tried not to cry. "I can't believe it finally happened!"

"Neither can I," Harry joked. He looked down at his watch. "Two minutes and counting."

"Stop it Harry," Hermione elbowed him. "This one is going to last forever. Of course, this is the only one that actually happened!"

"I'm just going to be quiet the rest of the day then," Harry said.

"That's the best wedding present you could have given me," Lavender said smiling at him.

"Right," Harry kissed her cheek. "I really am happy for you. Both of you." he grinned at Seamus.

"Thanks, Harry," Seamus said. "For everything."

"You should thank Neville for the sobering potion," Harry muttered back.

"Exactly what did you guys do last night?" Hermione asked, hearing what her husband had said.

"We drank," Harry said. "A lot."

"Where exactly did you do this drinking?" Hermione asked. Sensing a blow up, Lavender and Seamus moved away for pictures. Hermione folded her arms. "I'm waiting..."

"It was just at a pub Hermione," Harry said. "Why are you making a big deal out of this? It was Seamus's last night as a single man."

"Because you are an insensitive arse," Hermione said, walking away from him.

Harry looked in bewilderment at Luna. "What did I do wrong?" he asked.

"She's hormonal," Luna said. "We all get like that when we're pregnant. You've just forgotten since it's been so long."

"She was never like this when she was pregnant with Julie or Ethan." Harry looked at his children who were standing on the other side of the room hugging their aunt.

"You should just go over there and apologise," Luna said. "That's probably what she wants to hear."

"I don't think she wants anything from me at the moment," Harry said sullenly.

"Why don't you try talking to her at the reception?" Luna suggested. "Come on, Harry. You and Hermione have fought before. It'll pass."

"I know," Harry said. "You're right." he smiled at her. "Has Ron told you how lovely you look today Mrs. Weasley?"

"He hasn't now that you mention it," she said. "I think he's avoiding me."

"Why's that?" Harry asked. "So you won't give him the third degree about how much he had to drink last night?"

"How much did he have to drink last night?" Luna asked. "You can tell me."

"We all had plenty," Harry said. "Just trust me on that."

"He didn't do anything stupid, did he?" Luna asked. "He didn't stand up on the bar and sing or anything like that, did he?"

Harry's lips twitched. "Let's just say we were lucky we were in a Wizarding pub," he patted Luna's shoulder. "As everyone there has already heard every Weird Sisters song your husband belted out."

Luna groaned. "He didn't!"

"Afraid so," Harry replied. "Although he was so pissed he probably doesn't remember any of it."

"You mustn't have been too pissed if you remember it," Luna said.

Harry grinned wider. "Someone had to recall all the embarrassing details for years to come."

"Come on, Dad," Ethan said joining them. "Grandma said we're going to the reception."

"Are you hungry little man?" Harry asked, ruffling his son's hair.

Ethan nodded. "Where's Mum?"

"Avoiding me," Harry mumbled. "Over there with Julie."

Ethan looked quizzically at his father. "Why is Mum avoiding you?"

"You can ask her that," Harry said. "I don't know why. I'll never bloody understand women."

Ethan looked over at Maddie who was talking to Josh and Lizzy. "Me either, Dad."

Hermione was still ignoring him at the restaurant where the reception was being held. As much as Harry wanted to find out exactly why she was being so anal, he was tired of giving in to her as well.

"Dad?" Julie asked, waving her hand in front of her father's face. "Earth to Dad..."

"Hm?" Harry asked. "What's wrong Jules?"

"I was thinking of asking you the same question," Julie said sitting down beside him. "You're at one table and Mum's at another. What's going on?"

"Ask her," Harry shrugged. "She's the one ignoring me- she's the one angry with me for no reason."

Julie sighed. When Julie asked her mother the same question, Hermione's response was to 'Go ask your father.' This was getting ridiculous, she thought to herself. Without another word to her father, she stood up and walked over to the table where her mother was.

"Come with me," Julie said taking her mother's hand.

"What is it Jules?" Hermione asked.

"Just come with me," Julie said leading her mother over to where her father was sitting.

"Okay," Julie said. "Now sit down."

"No," Hermione said stubbornly.

"Sit," Julie ordered through clenched teeth.

Harry refused to look at his wife as she sighed heavily.

"Who's the parent here Julie Liliane?" Hermione asked.

"Right now---me," Julie said. "You're both behaving like children."

"Julie you don't understand," Hermione began.

"Well could you explain it to both of us then?" Harry asked.

Hermione glared at him. "You know very well what you did!"

"I went out and had a good time with my friend on his last night as a bachelor," Harry snapped. "Big fucking deal."

"You see?" Hermione asked, looking at Julie.

"See what?" Julie was confused.

"He has no bloody idea," Hermione said.

"Mum," Julie said quietly. "Don't you think you're blowing this a little out of proportion? Look at Seamus and Lavender. Whatever he and Dad did with Uncle Ron and Uncle Neville, she's not upset about it. She married him today. And I don't see Aunt Cho and Aunt Luna upset. You know Dad would never do anything---"

"I know," Hermione huffed angrily and got back up, storming out of the banquet room.

"What in the world is going on?" Julie asked, defeated.

"Luna said it's all hormones from her pregnancy," Harry replied. "Guess I should go bury the hatchet."

Julie could tell her father didn't really want to because he didn't think he'd done anything wrong. She could certainly understand that. "Maybe you should just leave her alone, Dad. She'll come around...eventually."

Harry shook his head. "I just don't know... she was never this way with you or Ethan."

"Well, Mum is in her forties now," Julie said reassuringly. "That might have something to do with it."

"I guess," Harry didn't seem convinced. "Well I'm going to let her come to me for a change. I'm going to enjoy my day and if she wants to pout then she can go ahead."

"I have an even better idea," Julie said. "How about you dance with your daughter?"

"Now that I can definitely do," Harry grinned, holding out his hand.

"Just remember to go easy on me," Julie said as he led her out on the dance floor. "I'm not as good at this as you are."

"You're a natural," Harry said, grinning at Seamus and Lavender who seemed to not realise they weren't alone in the room.

Lavender smiled up at her husband. "Don't tell anyone this, Mr. Finnegan, but you are dancing."

"It's a secret," Seamus dipped her back. "And I knew I couldn't get through the day without it..."

"You've gotten better with age," she said giggling.

"So have you my dear," Seamus grinned. "You did step on my feet a few times at those designer parties we used to go to."

"As I recall it was YOU who stepped on MY feet," Lavender said.

"We stepped on each other's feet," Seamus swung her around.

"Well out of our friends, we are the worst dancers," Lavender admitted.

Seamus laughed. "I suppose you're right. But they had training and we didn't."

Lavender laughed. "Yes they did. But we're doing okay I think."

"More than okay," Seamus leaned in for a kiss.

"Get a room!" Neville joked as he and Cho danced beside them.

"Sod off Longbottom," Seamus said. "You did plenty of snogging in front of everyone at your own wedding."

"Fair enough," Neville said. "Congratulations you two. It's about time you made an honest man out of him, Lav."

"Thank you Neville," Lavender grinned as she snuggled against her husband.

"You were a beautiful bride, Lav," Cho chimed in.

"Thank you Cho," Lavender stopped dancing so she could hug her friend. "I'm just so glad you're all here celebrating with us."

"We'd never have let you get married in Los Angeles," Cho said. "You know that."

Seamus laughed. "Not into the glitter and glitz of my city?" he teased.

"It's not that," Cho said. "The two of you should be married here. This is your home. This was where you met. This was where you fell in love."

"That it is," Seamus kissed the side of his wife's head. "And where we fell in love all over again."

"I don't think we ever stopped," Lavender turned to look up at him.

"No we sure didn't," Seamus said kissing her. "And we never will."

"Never," Lavender snuggled back into him.

Hermione walked back into the reception and saw that most of her friends were dancing. Even her son was dancing--albeit reluctantly--with Maddie. She caught sight of her husband by the bar. It was time to apologise, she thought as she made her way over to him.

"Hey there, handsome," she said tapping him on the shoulder. "You wouldn't want to buy a pregnant lady a glass of milk, would you?"

Harry looked at her in surprise. "Sure," he said, his tone calmer than it had been earlier. "I'll get you anything you want."

Hermione smiled. "I am sorry about what I said earlier. I didn't mean it..."

"I just didn't understand what you were so angry about," Harry replied. "I don't know if you were thinking we had veelas involved or anything but all we did was drink. I was the most sober one of the bunch."

"I don't know either," she said honestly. "I'm just really emotional right now---with Lavender leaving and the baby.."

Harry slid an arm around her. "Permission to touch my hormonal wife?" he teased.

"Permission granted," she said smiling up at him. "I was really horrible to you, wasn't I?"

"Just a bit," Harry said, handing her a glass of milk. "I guess I should learn to accept it a bit more aye?"

"Just be patient with me," she said taking the glass. "I know I probably won't make it easy."

"Probably not," Harry agreed. "But we'll make it through this. We always do."

"We will," Hermione promised. "And we'll have a new baby in just a few months."

"By this time next year we'll know," Harry agreed.

Hermione started to cry. "I'm sorry---I just love you so much!"

"Shh..." Harry pulled her close. "I love you too sweetheart."

Hermione hugged him. "Want to dance with me? While you can still put your arms around me?"

"I'd love to dance," Harry gave her a kiss as he led her out onto the floor.

Julie watched as her parents started to dance. She didn't know who had apologised to whom, but it didn't really matter.

"Remind me to tell them 'I told you so'," Julie whispered to Nick.

Nick laughed. "They've finally stopped arguing eh?" he asked, pulling his girlfriend closer.

"Looks that way, doesn't it?" Julie asked, smiling as her father winked at her from across the floor. "They don't argue much, but when they do---look out."

"Is this any indication of how you'll be if I ever get you pregnant?" Nick asked jokingly.

"I am my mother's daughter," Julie told him.

"Maybe I'll make it a point to tour during those nine months," he grinned at her.

Julie hit him on the chest. "You better not, Nicholas Malfoy!"

"Ouch!" Nick said. "You hit hard!"

"You just keep that in mind," Julie teased.

Maddie must have walked all over the reception hall looking for Ethan, but she hadn't been able to find him. Defeated for the moment, she walked over to where her brothers and sisters were sitting.

"No luck, Mads?" Jon asked his little sister.

"I don't know where he went," she sat down next to Josh who rubbed her shoulders sympathetically.

"Want us to go straighten him out for you Mad Dog?" he joked. "Give him the old big brother talk about not hurting our little sister?"

Maddie shook her head. "I don't want to scare him off."

"Too late," Jon muttered to Allison who gave him a jab in the rib cage.

"Be nice," Allison whispered. "I think it's adorable."

"Why don't we help you find him?" Julie had joined their little group. "I know my brother pretty well and I know where he likes to lurk."

"Okay," Maddie said happily, getting to her feet. "Let's go get him!"

Julie laughed as Nick picked up the four year old. "I heard that you've become an evil but beautiful princess," he teased her with a grin. "And it's a rule that all princesses must be carried wherever they go."

Maddie giggled. "I like that rule!"

"I bet you do," Nick tickled her.

Ethan sat down on the floor behind one of the large tables. Greta was sitting right beside him and he'd made his new nanny promise that she wouldn't tell anyone where he was.

"Ethan I think Maddie's looking for you," Greta was saying quietly. "If you don't mind me saying so, I think you should just relax and have fun. She's a sweet little girl."

"Shh!" Ethan hissed. "Don't tell her where I am, Greta. I'm begging you!"

"Ethan James!" Julie was standing behind the table next to him, her arms crossed. "What are you doing down there?"

Ethan turned and looked sheepishly at his sister. "I--I'm playing hide and seek."

Julie shook her head. "Mum and Dad would be disappointed to hear that you're hiding from Maddie. Don't act like I'm stupid Ethan, I know that's exactly what you're doing."

"But she wants to dance with me, Jules," Ethan protested. "I don't want to dance with her!"

"Nick's dancing with her right now," Julie pointed across the room to where her boyfriend was spinning around with the little blonde, making her laugh. "So you can come dance with me."

Ethan thought about this for a moment. Hopefully, Maddie would be preoccupied with her cousin and not even see him.

"Okay," Ethan finally said, getting to his feet.

Julie sent Greta a smile as she led her little brother out onto the floor. "How come you're so scared of her Ethan?" she asked. "She just has a crush on you."

"Because I don't like girls," Ethan said as if the answer should have been obvious. "Especially ones who chase after me and want me to dance with them. Did you know she tried to kiss me when we first walked in?"

Julie bit her lower lip to keep from grinning. "She tried to plant one on you did she?"

"Yes," Ethan replied. "And I know everyone tells me to be nice, but she doesn't make it easy!"

"I suppose we are favouring her a bit here," Julie mused. "I can see how it could be a bit annoying- but just hang in there Ethan. Maybe one day you'll change your mind about her."

"Not bloody likely," Ethan muttered.

"When I was your age I didn't like boys," Julie told him. "I swore I'd never get married or have a boyfriend either."

"How old were you when you changed your mind?" Ethan asked curiously.

"I started liking guys a lot more when I started at Hogwarts," Julie replied.

"I'm never going to change my mind," Ethan said stubbornly. "Never."

"If you say so Ethan," Julie grinned at him, mussing his hair.

Lavender couldn't stop smiling as Seamus led her back over to the main table.

"This is the happiest day of my life," she whispered in his ear.

"Mine too," he hugged her tightly.

"I still can't believe I'm moving to Los Angeles," she said. "We're going to have to clear away some time so we can go house hunting."

"Why would we have to do that?" Seamus asked.

"You're place is kind of small, isn't it?" Lavender asked him. "And we did talk about buying a proper home. I want to have my own office where I can design..."

"You mean the waterfront property you have your heart set on," Seamus replied.

"You liked it too," Lavender reminded him. "And we really need to make an offer before someone swoops in and takes it from us."

"Well how can they do that when we already own it?" Seamus asked with a grin. He dug into his pocket and produced a key, dangling it in front of his wife's eyes.

"We---we own it?" Lavender asked taking the key from him. "Really? You're not just teasing me? It's really ours?"

"It's really ours," Seamus grinned. "I signed the papers yesterday."

Lavender wrapped her arms around him. "You are the best husband in the whole wide world!"

"I like the sound of that," Seamus laughed as she bounced like a young child.

"I cannot wait to decorate it!" Lavender squealed. "I already have so many ideas."

"I can't wait to see what you do with the place," Seamus grinned. "And once we have everything set up we'll have everyone over to see it."

Lavender's smile faltered a bit. "We are really leaving, aren't we?"

Seamus touched her cheek. "I already have the place hooked up to the floo network, if that makes you feel any better."

"I know," Lavender said. "And it does make me feel better. It's just going to be hard to say goodbye."

"I know," Seamus said. "It's never easy. But we have it a hell of a lot better than Muggles do."

"Yes we do," Lavender said as Seamus poured them both another glass of champagne.

"Now it's my time to get you good and pissed," he laughed. "So you forget about everything but what a great time we're going to have tonight."

"What on earth would we be doing tonight?" Lavender asked innocently.

"Let's get drunk and find out," Seamus winked at her.

3. Isn't She Lovely

Authors' note: Thanks to those who reviewed the first chapter. We appreciate that. And we know that we might be harping on this, but if you do read, please just take a few seconds to tell us what you thought. It really is great to have feedback and we appreciate it more than you could possibly know. And you do get points for doing that on portkey which helps you get chapter alerts for your favourite stories.

Isn’t She Lovely – Stevie Wonder

Isn’t she lovely
Isn’t she wonderfull
Isn’t she precious
Less than one minute old
I never thought through love we’d be
Making one as lovely as she
But isn’t she lovely made from love

Isn’t she pretty
Truly the angel’s best
Boy, I’m so happy
We have been heaven blessed
I can’t believe what God has done
Through us he’s given life to one
But isn’t she lovely made from love

"Dad?" Ethan asked opening up the icebox. "Do you think Mummy would like orange juice or pumpkin juice with breakfast?"

Harry smiled at his son who'd been his partner in crime this morning. They'd decided to serve Hermione breakfast in bed as a surprise. Hermione was in her last month of her pregnancy and had been on bed rest for the past few weeks. For someone who was used to being in the thick of things, bed rest wasn't something she willingly accepted.

"Orange juice," Harry answered as he loaded the plate with Hermione's favourite breakfast foods--French toast, bacon and fresh fruit.

"Okay," Ethan said, carefully pouring his mother a glass of juice. "I bet she's really surprised that we're doing this for her. I can't wait to see her face when we bring it in!"

"Let's hope it's her happy face," Harry said only half-joking. Hermione had been quite moody lately and everything he did or said seemed to be wrong. He knew it was because she was uncomfortable, but it didn't make it any easier.

"Right," Ethan agreed. "Was Mum like this when she had me?"

"She had the easiest time with you, if you can believe that," Harry answered.

"That's because I'm the easiest kid," Ethan grinned.

"You are pretty easy," Harry said reaching over and mussing Ethan's hair. "Okay, little man. Are you ready to take this upstairs with me?"

"Sure Dad," Ethan agreed, grabbing the smaller tray that held the juice and the fruit.

Harry and Ethan went upstairs and Harry hoped that this would raise his wife's spirits. He knocked on the door.

"It's us, Mummy," Ethan called out. "And we have something special for you!"

"You do?" Hermione tried to pull herself up into a sitting position but the large stomach made it almost impossible to move.

"Don't worry about getting up," Ethan said as he balanced the tray in one hand and opened the door with the other. "Surprise!"

Hermione couldn't help but smile as Harry and Ethan walked in with big grins on their faces, bearing some amazing smelling breakfast.

"We made all of this just for you," Ethan said proudly. "I cut up the fruit and dad made the French toast and the bacon. And I poured the juice, too!"

"It looks wonderful," Hermione said, finally pulling herself up against some pillows. "Thank you both. It's very sweet of you."

"How are you feeling this morning?" Harry asked sitting down beside her and pulling Ethan onto his lap.

"Okay," Hermione said as she took a sip of juice. "Just... swollen. I feel like I'm going to explode any minute."

"That sounds cool," Ethan said stealing a piece of bacon from Hermione's plate.

Harry laughed. "Not when you've got a baby in you son."

"Probably not," Ethan said sheepishly. "How many more days do we have left before my baby sister comes?"

"Four," Harry replied.

Hermione shifted uncomfortably as she bit into her French toast. "Harry this is amazing," she said.

"Thank you," Harry said, smiling at her.

"And my fruit?" Ethan asked. "Is it good too Mum?"

Hermione sliced into her pineapple slice with her fork and took a bite. "Delicious, sweetheart."

Ethan grinned with satisfaction.

"You didn't sleep too well last night," Harry said a few minutes later after Ethan had scampered out of the room to help Greta make some biscuits.

"No, I didn't," Hermione said grimacing as she tried to get comfortable.

Harry leaned over to rub her shoulders. "I wish I could do something to help."

"This breakfast was a nice start," Hermione said. "I'm sorry for being such a...well, we know I haven't been at my best. I'm just ready to have this baby."

"It's okay," Harry said, giving her a kiss on the cheek. "I think we're all ready."

"I think she's ready too," Hermione said rubbing her stomach.

"We're all so convinced it's a girl," Harry laughed, putting a hand on his wife's belly. "But what if it's another boy?"

"A mother knows," Hermione said with a laugh. "I was right before with Julie and Ethan. I think I'm going to be right this time. You'll have another little girl to spoil."

Harry grinned. "Wife knows best," he said.

"It only took you how many years to finally catch on to that?" Hermione asked teasingly.

"I just put up a fight for show," Harry explained. "Don't want Ethan thinking he has to let a woman walk all over him later on when he gets married."

Hermione laughed. "We wouldn't him getting the wrong idea."

"Never," Harry said, reaching for the empty trays. "Anything else I can get you?"

"No thanks," Hermione said. "I'll just sit here and read like I've done everyday for the past few weeks."

Harry gave her a sympathetic glance before leaving the bedroom to take the dishes back to the kitchen. He smiled upon entering- Ethan's face was nearly covered in chocolate smears. "Are you making biscuits here or just eating the mix?" he teased.

"He started out helping me," Greta said with a laugh. "And it sort of got out of hand..."

"I can see that," Harry laughed. "You're a mess Ethan."

Ethan reached for a dish towel and wiped his face.

"How is Hermione feeling today?" Greta asked.

"Okay," Harry replied. "She's getting antsy. She hates being cooped up in the house and doing nothing. She's mad at me because I won't let her sneak into the office either."

"I know it hasn't been easy on her," Greta said. "I wish there was something I could do."

"You've been fantastic," Harry assured her. "Hermione and I both are glad you came to work with us."

"So am I," Greta said smiling gratefully at him.

"Me too!" Ethan chimed in. "How many biscuits will this make, Greta?"

"Three dozen," Greta said. "Is that enough for you, little man?"

"Only if Uncle Ron doesn't drop by," Ethan made a face. "He eats almost all of them himself."

"We won't tell him," Harry said. "I think I'm going to check in with the ..."

"HARRY!" Hermione screamed from upstairs.

Harry instantly tore up to their bedroom. "What?" he asked, panicked. "What is it?"

"My water just broke," Hermione answered. "It's time..."

"What?" Harry exclaimed. "But you're not due for four days!"

"I think your daughter has plans to make an early appearance," Hermione said trying to get out of bed.

Harry was right by her side in a flash. "All right, let's get you downstairs. Ethan!" he hollered. "Come get your Mum's bag, we're going to the hospital!"

Ethan came running into the room followed closely by Greta.

"I'll send word to Julie and Nick," Greta said helpfully. "I'll tell them to meet you there."

"Thank you," Harry said gratefully as Hermione let out a painful moan. "All right sweetheart we'll be at the hospital in a few minutes."

Hermione nodded and squeezed his hand.

"Good, good." Harry coached as they made their way down the stairs.

"I don't like the baby making you hurt, Mum," Ethan said as he lugged Hermione's bag down behind them. "I'm going to have some words with her when she comes out."

Harry bit his lower lip to keep from laughing. "You did the same thing when you were born little man," he said as they finally reached the bottom of the staircase. "All babies are like that."

"Thank you though," Hermione managed a smile for her son. "You're a sweet boy."

"I just don't like seeing you in pain, Mummy," Ethan said.

"Neither do I," Hermione agreed.

"Ethan- you wait here with Greta and Nick and Julie can bring you by," Harry said, taking the bag.

Ethan opened his mouth to protest, but when he saw the serious look on his father's face, he knew he should listen and not make things worse for his mother. "Okay. Good luck, Mummy."

"We'll see you soon," Hermione gave him a hug. "And maybe by then you'll have your new little sister."

"I'm still going to talk to her about hurting you," Ethan said. "Can I call Grandma and Grandpa and tell them too?"

"Yes you definitely can ring them," Harry said as the group made their way towards the door. "Tell them if they're coming by that Julie should get them through The Leaky Cauldron."

"Okay," Ethan said running back toward the kitchen.

Hermione's grip on Harry's hand tightened as she experienced another contraction.

Harry winced as she squeezed his hand. "Ow... oww let's go okay?"

Nearly a half hour later, Hermione found herself in a private hospital room waiting for the healer.

"I'm sure she'll be here soon love," Harry said reassuringly to his wife.

"She damn well better be," Hermione snapped irritably as another contraction made her eyes water and she gripped Harry's hand again.

"I could go check again," Harry offered. Normally, neither he nor Hermione liked throwing their name around to get special treatment, but this was a special case.

"Fine," Hermione said, relaxing her grip as the pain finally eased. "Tell her the contractions are coming fifteen minutes apart and that they hurt like bloody hell."

"I will," Harry promised heading out of the room. He approached the front desk. "Excuse me? I was wondering if you could tell me where Healer O'Neal is. We've been waiting for nearly half an hour and my wife is in a great deal of pain."

"She's got about three other patients to see before she can get to your room," the receptionist said brusquely.

Harry couldn't believe he was about to do what he was about to do, but there was no way he was going back into that hospital room without a healer. He ran a hand through his hair, pushing his fringe back so his scar was visible. "I was wondering if there was anything you could do to speed her along."

The receptionist looked blankly up at him.

This was a new one for Harry. He smiled sheepishly at her. "I'm Harry Potter. It's nice to meet you..." he said holding out his hand as he saw the name plate on the desk. "...Gladys. That's a lovely name."

"Thank you," she said robotically. "If I see her I'll tell her to go in." the woman looked back at him, stern and unsmiling.

"You've been a great help," Harry said sarcastically. On his way back to Hermione's room, he bumped into someone which did nothing to improve his mood. "You should watch where you're going!"

"Excuse me," the healer said scowling at him. "Oh...it's you. Hello, Potter."

"Pansy Parkinson?" Harry asked in disbelief. "YOU are a healer?"

"Do you have a problem with that?" Pansy asked, her hand on her hip. "You think I can't make a living because I was in Slytherin?"

"No," Harry shot back. "I'm just surprised, but then again Malfoy's a healer, too..."

"Good for him," Pansy sniffed. "If you'll excuse me I have work to do- hey let me go!" she snapped as Harry grabbed her arm.

"I need you to see my wife," Harry said. "She's under Healer O'Neal's care, but she's backed up and Hermione's in a great deal of pain."

"She's not my patient," Pansy tried to pull from his grip. "And why would I want to help you out anyway?"

"Because you took an oath to help others when you became a healer?" Harry answered sarcastically. "Look, I'm not crazy about you helping me either. But, I'm desperate. Please?"

Something in his face must have looked desperate for she softened her look. "Fine," she said. "Which room are you in?"

"Room 317," Harry said breathing a sigh of relief. "Thank you."

Pansy marched ahead of him down the corridor and burst into the room.

Hermione was on the verge of having another contraction when her husband walked in. "Harry..." she whimpered.

He went to her side immediately. Brushing back a strand of hair from her face, he kissed her forehead. "It's okay, sweetheart. I'd like you to meet Healer Parkinson. She's going to check on you since Healer O'Neal is tied up."

"Good morning, Minister," Pansy said brightly. "Your husband and I went to school together."

"Oh you did?" Hermione tried to act interested but the pain was too much and she groaned. "Were you good friends?"

"Not exactly," Harry said. "We, um, were in different houses."

Hermione tried to formulate a reply but it came out as a groan. "It hurts so bad," she said. "This is the worst so far."

"How far apart are your contractions, Minister?" Pansy asked.

"Fifteen minutes," Hermione replied. "But this one came a bit sooner."

Pansy nodded and took out her wand, waving it over Hermione's belly while she recited a spell.

"This should help with the pain somewhat," Pansy said when she'd finished.

"Ohhh..." Hermione sighed in relief. "Thank you. Thank you so much. That feels so much better." the overbearing pain was now only a slight twinge in her stomach.

Pansy smiled. "I know how you feel. I have four of my own at home."

"You do?" Harry asked before he could stop himself.

Pansy shot him a look. "Yes, Gregory Goyle and I got married."

"You married Goyle?" Harry asked. "I'm sorry. I just didn't picture you ending up with him. To tell you the truth, I always thought you'd end up with Malfoy."

Pansy rolled her eyes. "That self centred git? I don't think so."

"You've just gone up a thousand percent in my eyes," Harry said smiling at her.

"I heard he was in Australia but I didn't know he was a healer," Pansy admitted.

"He married Ginny Weasley," Hermione said. "Their son Nick lives with our daughter Julie."

"You've got to be kidding me," Pansy said. When she saw neither Harry nor Hermione laughing, she just shook her head. "Who would have ever seen that coming."

"Nick's a good kid," Hermione said. "Thank goodness, nothing like either of his parents."

Pansy smiled. "Obviously. Well, it was nice meeting you, Minister. I'll just go and see if I can find Healer O'Neal for you."

"Thank you," Hermione said gratefully. "She seems nice," she told Harry once Pansy had left the room.

"Yeah," Harry said still taken aback that this was the same girl who he'd gone to school with all those years ago. "I guess people can change."

Hermione lay back and rested her head on the pillow. "That spell is brilliant. The pain is gone and I feel more comfortable as well."

"That's good to hear," Harry said sitting down. "I don't like seeing you hurting, Hermione."

"It'll pass," Hermione said. "And soon enough we'll have another baby to take care of."

"I wonder who she's going to look like?" Harry asked. "Julie's like you, but with my eyes. And Ethan is just like me."

"She might be a mix," Hermione said, caressing her stomach.

"I think she'll be as beautiful and smart as her mum and as sweet and charming as her dad," Harry said grinning at his wife.

"I suppose," Hermione reached for his hand. "I hope Greta's gotten a hold of Julie."

"I'm sure she has," Harry said. "Don't forget, Julie had to wait for your mum and dad, too. Otherwise, they'd never get here."

"That's true," Hermione said as another much smaller wave of pain came into her stomach.

"Excuse me," a familiar voice came from outside the door. "Yes, I know. But I am her cousin and if you don't let me in, I'll make you live to regret it...thank you!"

Lavender swung open the door. "I came as soon as I heard! Seamus would have come too, but he's stuck on the set! God, Hermione! You look awful!"

"Thanks Lav," Hermione said dryly but she was beaming. "Lav you look wonderful!"

Lavender waved her hand. "This old thing? I just threw it on..."

"It must be what all the top people wear to births," Harry teased.

"That's exactly it," Lavender smirked at Harry and gave her cousin a kiss on the cheek. "How long have you been here?"

"Almost an hour," Harry replied. "So what have you been up to in the last four days? I still can't believe you Apparated over to our house at three in the morning..."

"Hermione's on bed rest," Lavender said defensively. "It's not like I was waking her up or anything. Besides, I really needed her help."

"On deciding whether or not to wear blue or light blue to visit Seamus on the set?" Harry asked, rolling his eyes.

"That wasn't the only thing I asked her about," Lavender said sticking her tongue out at him.

"Sure it wasn't," Harry chuckled.

"You're just mad because I woke you up," Lavender said, sitting down on the edge of Hermione's bed. "Honestly, Hermione. I don't know how you put up with him!"

Hermione smiled at him. "He's very sweet Lav. He and Ethan made me breakfast in bed this morning."

"Ethan told me all about it on the phone," Lavender said. "He was very proud."

"I'm sure he was," Harry was grinning. "I had to make two batches of French toast because he ate the first one."

Lavender laughed. "That boy has a bottomless stomach."

"He must be related to Ron somehow," Harry joked.

"Mum," Julie said rushing into the room. "Everyone's outside waiting. How are you feeling?"

"Hello sweetheart," Hermione said. "I'm fine now that a healer came by and cast a spell to stop the pain."

"Good," Julie said hugging her father and Lavender. "Ethan was telling me how he was going to tell the baby a thing or two about hurting you."

Hermione laughed. "He is such a character. Just like his father."

"I hope that's a good thing," Harry said.

"Of course it is Dad," Julie laughed. "Grandma and Grandpa are out there, want me to send them in?"

Hermione nodded and watched as her daughter and cousin left the room.

"Hermione!" Elinore cried upon entering the room. "You're going to have another baby!" she burst into tears, much to Robert's amusement.

"Ellie," Robert said shaking his head. "Forgive her, Hermione."

"It's okay Dad," Hermione was smiling. "I'm going to be the same way when Julie has her first child."

"She'll be worse," Harry said. "Come to think of it, I probably will be, too."

Robert laughed at that. "Do you know how much longer it'll be yet?" he asked his daughter.

"Not soon enough," Hermione replied as another contraction hit her. "Ohhhhhhh...."

Harry grabbed her hand and let her squeeze it.

Elinore smiled. "At least she's not calling you every name in the book this time, eh Harry?"

"I didn't even know my sweet little girl could curse like that," Robert said laughing too.

"That's because you never had a baby Dad." Hermione replied, wincing a bit as the pain grew a bit more intense.

"They're coming closer now, aren't they?" Harry asked her. "Where the hell is Healer O'Neal?"

"Better get here soon,: Hermione said.

"She was called away unexpectantly," Pansy said coming back into the room. "I think you're stuck with me."

Harry wasn't sure how he felt about this. "Are you sure she can't come back?" he asked.

"Potter," Pansy said. "Get over yourself. Just because you and I didn't get along in school, doesn't mean I'm not capable enough to deliver your baby. If it makes you feel any better, you won't have to tell anyone that Pansy Parkinson, evil Slytherin, helped you out. Okay?"

Harry looked properly shamed. "Sorry Pansy," he said. "And I'm not ashamed of it okay?"

"It could be worse," Pansy deadpanned. "Malfoy could be the healer delivering the baby."

"That's true," Harry shuddered.

"Okay then," Pansy said walking over to Hermione. "How's the pain?"

"Getting worse again," Hermione replied.

Pansy pulled a sympathetic face. "That spell I performed earlier only alleviates the pain for a short period of time. We can do it once more, but you should probably wait until the contractions are closer together."

"Okay," Hermione replied. "How much longer do you think this will last?"

"I can't really say," Pansy said patting Hermione's arm. "We'll just keep an eye on you and I'm sure Harry will do whatever he can to help you through this."

"Of course," Harry said squeezing Hermione's hand.

"Okay," Hermione replied. "I hope it's soon. I don't know how much more of this I can take."

"It's going to be okay, Hermione," Harry reassured her. "You've done this twice before."

"I know but I don't remember it hurting this badly," Hermione said, beads of sweat forming on her forehead.

"Isn't there anything else you can do?" Harry pleaded to Pansy.

"To speed it up?" Pansy shook her head. "You're not fully dilated yet."

Harry took a towel from the bedside table and dabbed Hermione's forehead with it. "I'm going to be right here with you, Hermione. I'm not going to leave your side."

Hermione smiled at him. "Thank you love," she said.

"We should probably go back out and wait with the others," Robert said tugging at Elinore's arm. "Let's let them have a few minutes, Ellie."

"Right," Elinore smiled at her daughter. "Let us know if you need anything sweetheart."

Once they were alone again, Harry sat down on the edge of her bed. "You're doing great, sweetheart. You really are."

"I'm glad one of us thinks so," Hermione said. "Can I have some water?"

"Sure," Harry said pouring her a glass from the pitcher by the bed.

"Thank you," Hermione drank it thirstily.

He couldn't imagine what this was like for her. If there was something he could do to transfer her pain to himself, he'd do it willingly.

They sat in silence together until a few minutes later when she tensed up again. "In my opinion, this baby is ready to come out," she said, shifting a little.

"She's stubborn like her mum," Harry said softly.

Hermione snorted. "That's not what I need to hear right now."

"Sorry," Harry said yawning. He was beginning to regret the decision to get up early to make the breakfast for Hermione.

"No, I'm sorry," she replied. "I'm just so damned uncomfortable."

"It's okay," Harry said. He wanted to do something to take her mind off of the pain. "So we never talked about names, Mrs. Potter. Have any ideas?"

"I thought we did," Hermione said as the contraction finally passed.

"You shot down every name I came up with when I was convinced the baby was going to be a boy," Harry reminded her.

"Oh right," Hermione smiled. “When you suggested the name Algernon.”

"I wasn't being serious," Harry said defensively. "I was just throwing out a couple of suggestions."

"I'm sure you were," Hermione managed a chuckle before she was seized with pain again. "Oooooh," she said, squeezing her eyes shut.

"Whatever her name is, I think she's ready to come out," Harry said wiping Hermione's brow.

"I agree," Hermione snapped. "But I said that earlier and no one believed me."

Ethan opened the door and he and Julie came inside. "Haven't you had the baby yet, Mum?"

"No sweetheart," Hermione said, nearly out of breath with the latest contraction. "She's almost on here though."

Ethan pushed past his father and leaned over the bed so he was looking right at Hermione's stomach. "Now you listen to me, sister. You better stop hurting my mum or I'm going to..."

"Ethan," Harry was almost laughing too hard. "The baby can't help it. This is how all births are. It's going to hurt Mum for just a little while before she comes out."

"Just a little while?" Hermione asked raising an eyebrow. "I'm so glad you think this is easy, Harry."

"I never said that," Harry replied quickly. "I never said it was easy. And you've only been in labour a few hours. With Jules here it was sixteen hours."

"And you missed most of it," Hermione said crossly.

Harry smiled sheepishly. "I'm sorry?"

"And you let Dad have it when he finally arrived, didn't you, Mum?" Julie asked.

"More than you know sweetheart," Hermione replied, gripping Harry's hand.

"Those contractions are coming closer together," Harry said wincing at Hermione’s vice like hold on his hand. "Perhaps it would be okay to get Pansy to do that spell again?"

"That sounds like a good idea," Hermione replied through clenched teeth.

"I'll go and get her," Harry said. "Will you two stay with your Mum until I get back?"

"Sure Dad," Ethan agreed and Julie nodded. "Mum what do you need? Do you want to squeeze my hand?" he asked.

"That's really sweet of you, Ethan," Hermione replied smiling at him. "But I don't want to break your little hand."

"Okay," Ethan said.

"Was this what it was like when Chiaki was born?" Julie asked, trying to take her mother's mind off the pain. "Everyone sitting outside waiting?"

"Pretty much," Hermione said, remembering that night. "We all camped out in the waiting room. Ron showed up with loads of food that his mum made---he was still living with her at the time. Cho was afraid that Seamus was going to try and film the birth."

Julie laughed. "I can see that," she said, reaching for her mother's hand. "You can squeeze mine, it's okay."

"Thanks, Julie," Hermione said. It suddenly hit her what was happening. Hermione's lower lip began to tremble and suddenly she was crying. "I can't believe I wanted to do this again...."

"Mum it's okay," Julie said. "I saw how excited you and Dad have been, and how excited you were when you found out."

Ethan stared at his mother, alarmed. "Mummy," he began. "If you don't want to have the baby now it's okay." he hugged her as best he could. "I don't like it when you cry."

Her children's concern only made Hermione cry even harder as she hugged Ethan back.

Julie saw that her brother was scared and she smiled reassuringly at him. "It'll be okay, Ethan." she said. "Right Mum?" she stroked Hermione's hair back off her sweaty forehead and reached for the towel her father had been using.

"I'm really sorry, Ethan," Hermione said softly. "Mummy's a bit emotional now. But I'll be okay once the baby's here. I promise."

"Really?" He seemed unconvinced as he looked back at her doubtfully.

"Yes," Hermione said, ruffling his hair. "Do you know what would make me feel much better?"

"What?" Ethan asked.

"The cafeteria here has some really delicious blueberry muffins," Hermione said. "Would you go and get me one?"

"Okay!" Ethan said eagerly. "I'll ask Jon if he wants to go with me."

"Thanks, sweetie," Hermione said as Ethan left the room. "I'm sorry for breaking down in front of you kids, Julie."

"It's okay Mum," Julie said. "It's totally understandable." she grinned. "I suppose I'll get like this someday."

"Well, I'll let you squeeze my hand and break down in front of me if you do," Hermione said smiling at her daughter. "I'm really glad you're here."

"I am too," Julie agreed.

"How many people are out there actually?" Hermione asked trying to get comfortable again.

"Everyone," Julie said. "I even think that some of Uncle Ron's brothers are here with their wives and children," she teased.

"St. Mungos is probably going to throw everyone out," Hermione said with a laugh. "That's really nice that everyone came though. I can't imagine it can be all that much fun to wait like that."

"Probably not, but I can't wait for this baby," Julie said. "As long as Dad doesn't get his way and name it Algernon."

"Algernon would be a bizarre name for a girl, don't you think?" Hermione asked.

"For a boy or girl," Julie agreed, laughing.

"Try and tell your father that," Hermione said laughing.

"Tell me what?" Harry asked coming back into the room with Pansy in tow.

"That this baby is ready to pop out," Hermione said.

"How far apart are your contractions?" Pansy asked.

"A few minutes at this point.," Hermione replied. "About four or five since the last."

"Do you think you could do that spell now?" Harry asked Pansy.

"I certainly can," Pansy replied. "The next time though, it will most likely mean you're ready to give birth."

"That sounds like music to my ears," Hermione said gratefully.

While Pansy tended to Hermione, Julie pulled her father off to the side. "Do you think it would be okay if I stayed in here, too? I'd really like to be here, Dad."

"I don't mind if your Mum doesn't," Harry squeezed her arm comfortingly. "Where did Ethan go?"

"He went to get Mum a muffin from the cafeteria," Julie replied. "Mum kind of had a moment while you were gone and Ethan was a little scared. And I think he wanted to do something to make her feel better so she asked him to get her a muffin from the cafeteria. He doesn't like to see Mum in pain."

"Probably not," Harry said as he saw his wife sigh in relief. "Feeling better now love?" he asked, brushing her hair back and planting a kiss on her forehead.

"Much," Hermione answered with a wide smile. "That is one amazing spell."

Harry grinned. "Heard you scared our son."

Hermione frowned. "I didn't mean to. I just lost it for a moment, Harry. I started to wonder what I was doing. I'm over 40 with a grown daughter and an eight-year old. What am I doing having a baby? Not to mention running the Ministry..."

"You'll do just fine," Harry reassured her. "We have Greta now and--"

"You have me," Julie interrupted. "I'll help during holiday breaks and weekends."

"Oh..." Hermione said starting to cry again. "I...I love you both so much. And Ethan, too."

"Hermione," Harry chuckled. "You're going to scare Ethan again when he comes back with your muffin."

"You're right," Hermione said wiping her eyes.

Harry poured her another glass of water and she was sipping it when Ethan came back.

"Here you go Mummy," he said. "I got you the biggest one they had!"

"You certainly did!" Hermione said laughing as he handed it to her. "Do you want to have half of it?"

"Sure," Ethan nodded. "Uncle Ron tried to take it when I came back."

"I'm sure he did," Harry said laughing. "But you have seeker like reflexes like your old man. He didn't stand a chance, did he?"

"Nope," Ethan shook his head and accepted a piece of the muffin. "Here Dad have a bite."

"Thanks, little man," Harry said.

Another contraction hit Hermione, but it only caused her mild discomfort. "I think we're getting close."

"It's getting exciting," Julie grinned. "Especially now that the pain is gone."

Hermione couldn't agree more. She was starting to get excited, too. In a short while, she'd be welcoming her daughter into the world.

Outside in the crowded waiting room, the receptionist at the front desk kept shooting dirty looks at everyone anytime there was a loud noise or someone laughed.

"Mummy," Maddie said tugging on Luna's arm. "Where did Ethan go?"

"He's inside with his parents and Julie sweetheart," Luna replied. "He's waiting for his baby sister."

Maddie sank down on the sofa beside her mother. "I hope he comes out soon. I don't really have anyone to play with since you wouldn't let me bring Dolly."

"Sweetheart you can go play with your sisters and Frankie," Luna said.

"I'll just wait for Ethan," Maddie said picking up her book. "Can you read to me?"

"Of course," Luna pulled her onto her lap. "What book do you want?"

"This one," Maddie said handing it to Luna. "Julie gave it to me. It's by a real doctor, Mummy."

"Where babies come from and how they're made," Luna read. "Um... Maddie how about something else?"

"You should probably let Dad read that," Jon joked.

"I don't think we need to read this for another few years," Luna said, setting the book in her bag.

"I think I know where babies come from, Jon," Ron said. "I did manage to have six children, didn't I?"

"Excuse me?" Luna asked him. "YOU had six children? I seem to forget the part where YOU gave birth."

Ron turned red. "Hey Jon how about one of those muffins Ethan brought for Hermione?"

"I already gave you one," Jon said shaking his head.

"I'm still hungry," Ron said.

Ethan chose that moment to come out into the waiting area. "She's going to have the baby now!" he announced.

"Now?" Luna asked. "Are you sure?"

"That's why they sent me out," Ethan crossed his arms. "Julie gets to stay and watch."

"I bet they said you were too young, didn't they?" Frankie asked him sympathetically. "I hate it when parents say stuff like that."

Maddie went over to Ethan. "I'm sorry they won't let you stay in the room," she said, putting her arms around him. "But I'll cheer you up Ethan."

"Err..." Ethan said. "Thanks Maddie--"

Maddie took his hand and led him over to the sofa.

"She's got it bad," Chiaki said to Allison. "They're so cute."

"Too cute for words," Allison agreed. "And for once he's not putting up a fight."

"She may just be wearing him down," Lavender remarked. "Those Potter men do like strong women after all."

Nick laughed. "Aye, you're right about that."

"Dad?" Frankie asked Neville. "If you and Mum ever have another baby I want to watch, okay? And I don't want to hear any of that rubbish about me being too young. You put too much emphasis on age when I don't think you can measure maturity in terms of a number, do you?"

"We're not having another baby," Cho said. "So you can get that out of your head right now."

"Okay," Frankie said looking to her oldest sister. "If you and Tosh ever have a baby, I'm going to be right there, front and centre."

"No way," Chiaki shook her head. "No one will be in there but me, Toshio and the person delivering the baby."

"FINE!" Frankie said stomping off. "This is so unfair!"

Allison rolled her eyes. "I was wondering when she was going to say that today."

"Can't go a day without it," Neville joked.

Ron looked on in amazement as Pansy Parkinson walked past them and into Hermione's room.

"Hold on," he said. "Parkinson is delivering Hermione's baby?"

"Who do you think has been walking in and out all this time?" Cho asked sarcastically.

"But she's...evil," Ron said.

"No she's not," Ethan said looking up from the magazine he and Maddie were looking at. "She's cool. She even let me have some Bertie Bott's."

Ron's jaw dropped. "Did I fall into some alternate dimension here? Pansy Parkinson is NICE? She gave Harry's son, Harry POTTER'S son, Bertie Botts?"

"If it makes you feel any better the flavours were vomit and earwax," Ethan said with a grin. "But I also had a peppermint and chocolate, too."

Ron sat down with a thump. "I'm going into shock here. Someone save me!"

"You're so dramatic, Daddy," Maddie said rolling her eyes.

Ron sat up. "Thanks love," he said. "A year ago you walked in my shadow."

"I still love you, Daddy," Maddie said walking over to him. "But you really need to just let things go."

Luna, Cho and Neville burst into laughter as Ron sputtered indignantly.

"I think Maddie has the last word there," Luna chuckled at her husband's expression.

R.J., who had been busily playing with some blocks on the floor stumbled over to his brother. "Jon...hold you..." he said holding his arms up.

Jon laughed and lifted his baby brother into his lap. "Dad's silly isn't he, R.J.?"

RJ nodded. "Silly like Maddie," he whispered.

"Don't let her hear you say that," Jon whispered into his ear. "She's scary sometimes like Mum, isn't she?"

"Like Mum," RJ gave off a little laugh.

"What are you two whispering about over here?" Allison asked coming over to join them.

"Allie!" R.J. said clapping his hands together.

"Hey RJ," she scooped up the little boy in her arms and gave him a kiss on the cheek. "You got so big!" she cooed.

"Big like Daddy," R.J. said.

Allison laughed. "Right, just like daddy," she shared a grin with Jon.

"Don't we have anymore food around here?" Ron asked. When he couldn't find any, he scowled. "Well, I'm going to go and grab something to eat. Maddie? You want to keep me company?"

Maddie, who for once had Ethan's undivided attention, shook her head.

"You don't?" Ron asked.

"No," Maddie said smiling adoringly at Ethan. "I'm a little busy."

Ethan turned red. "You can go with your dad," he muttered, sliding closer to Elinore.

"No," Maddie said scooting closer to him. "It's okay."

Ethan turned even more red and Maddie grinned. "Well don't move any closer."

"Ethan you have to get used to me," Maddie said charmingly. "You keep forgetting that I'm going to marry you someday."

"No, I'm not!" Ethan said hotly. "Grandma! Make her stop!"

"Ethan, Ethan," Elinore kissed the top of his head.

"Maddie," Ron said kneeling down in front of his daughter. "How about you come with me and I'll buy you some chocolate biscuits? We can even get one for your fiancé."

Ethan glared angrily at Ron as Maddie jumped off the sofa. "Don't miss me too long Ethan," she grinned as she left the room hand in hand with Ron.

Ethan stared after her in disbelief. "I'm sorry Aunt Luna, but Maddie's crazy."

"Ethan James," Elinore scolded gently. "You apologise right now."

"I said I was sorry that she was crazy," Ethan argued.

"Maddie just really likes you Ethan," Luna said. "Don't take whatever she says too seriously. She thinks you're the best thing since Cornish pixies."

"I imagine we shouldn't tell him that Maddie thinks she and Ethan are Dolly's parents," Jon whispered to Allison.

Allison had to cover her mouth to keep from laughing too loud. "I don't think he'd take too well to that."

"Probably not," Jon said with a laugh.

Inside the delivery room, Julie and Harry each had a hold on Hermione's hands as Pansy and another nurse encouraged Hermione to push as hard as she could as they guided the baby out.

"Come on Hermione," Pansy said.

"I can't," Hermione said, shaking her head. "I'm knackered...."

"Come on sweetheart," Harry said, kissing her forehead. "Our little baby is almost here..."

Hermione nodded and squeezing Harry's hand as hard as she could pushed with every ounce of strength she could muster.

"That's it, Mum!" Julie called out encouragingly.

Harry's hand was being squeezed into a pancake shape but he didn't care as his wife gave one final push and the sound of a baby's cries filled the air.

"We have a little girl," Pansy smiled at them.

"Harry... we have a girl," Hermione said, her eyes closing in relief. "I was right again..."

"Yes you were," Harry said, kissing her. "You did brilliantly, Hermione!"

Julie laughed. "The girls outnumber the boys yet again. Dad, you and Ethan are in for it now!"

Harry laughed. "I'll have this one on my side, just wait and see," he bragged, using the towel to wipe off Hermione's forehead as Pansy tended to his wife and the nurse took care of the baby.

The newest Potter's cries still filled the room and Hermione laughed. "She definitely takes after me. Listen to her!"

"Aye I wouldn't argue with that," Harry teased and Julie laughed.

"Have you guys picked a name yet?" she looked in the direction of her new sister.

"There is a name that I always liked," Hermione said thoughtfully.

"What's that?" Harry asked softly.

"Saffron," Hermione replied. When Harry didn't react, she frowned. "You don't like it, do you? Well, it was just an idea..."

"I think it's perfect," Harry grinned as the nurse finally brought the baby over.

"She looks like a Saffron," Julie said with a smile. "Saffron.... Grace?"

"I like that," Hermione said as the nurse placed the baby in her arms. "What do you think, little one?"

Saffron let out a little tiny yawn and curled her little hand around Hermione's index finger.

"I think she likes it," Harry beamed with pride at his newest daughter.

"Mum," Julie said looking at her sister with tears in her eyes. "She's beautiful."

"Yes she is," Hermione agreed. "Just like you sweetheart. You looked just like this when you were born."

"I think she's cuter," Julie said with a grin. She looked over at Pansy. "Would it be okay if I went to get my brother?"

"Certainly," Pansy replied. "He didn't seem too happy when he had to leave."

"I'll be right back," Julie said.

"Thank you, Parkin- I mean Pansy," Harry said shaking her hand. "For bringing my little girl into the world."

"No problem Potter," Pansy said. "Who'd have thought?"

"Certainly not me," Harry replied.

Pansy actually smiled at him. "You're not so bad Potter. But don't tell anyone I told you so."

"Your secret is safe with me," Harry said winking at her. He knew that if Ron could see them now, he'd probably pass out from shock.

"Harry?" Hermione called out to him. "Don't you want to hold your daughter?"

"Of course I do," Harry answered, his arms outstretched as Hermione passed the little bundle over to him.

"Where is she?" Ethan asked running into the room.

"Right here, little man," Harry whispered.

"Wow!" Ethan's eyes grew wide. "She's so small! And it's a girl! I knew we'd have a girl. But please don't name her Maddie okay?"

Harry laughed. "We already named her, Ethan. How do you like the name Saffron Grace?"

"Cool!" Ethan grinned. "I like it."

"I thought you were going to tell her off for hurting Mum?" Julie teased.

"She's too cute for that," Ethan replied. "Can... can I hold her?"

"Sure," Harry said. "Why don't you sit down first and then I'll hand her to you?"

"Okay," Ethan perched on a chair while Hermione and Julie looked on with grins.

"Here you go," Harry said gently placing the baby in Ethan's arms.

"She's not really heavy," Ethan said, carefully holding Saffron's head like his father showed him.

Hermione yawned and lay back on the bed, emotionally and physically spent.

"Are you going to be all right Mum?" Julie asked, looking away from the baby for a moment.

"I'm really tired," Hermione said.

"Well you should sleep then," Julie said. "Dad, Ethan and I will take care of everyone outside."

"Okay," Hermione said gratefully.

Harry gave his wife a kiss and pulled the sheets over her. "We'll come back in a little while," he said softly.

"Mmmmmhmmm," Hermione murmured sleepily.

"Dad can we take her out to show everyone?" Ethan asked in excitement as Harry took the baby back into his arms.

"Sure," Harry said. "Come on then, Saffron. Let's show you off, eh?"

Saffron let out a soft coo in reply as Julie opened the door for them.

"Ladies and gentlemen," Ethan said running ahead of them into the waiting area. "And you too, Uncle Ron. I'd like to introduce you all to my little sister, Saffron Grace Potter."

A collective "Awwww" drew from everyone there as they crowded Harry to get a closer look at the new Potter addition.

"She's adorable, Harry," Cho said softly.

He grinned. "Thanks Cho," he said bouncing his daughter lightly in his arms.

Elinore started to sob as she looked at her new granddaughter. "She looks like Hermione!"

"Lucky for her," Ron quipped. "She could look like Harry."

"Don't listen to that red-haired man over there, Saffron," Harry whispered to his daughter. "He's just jealous of your old man."

Ron scoffed. "That'll be the day."

"Where is my daughter?" Robert asked as Harry passed Saffron over to her grandfather.

"Fast asleep," Harry said. "She's been through a lot today. You'd have been proud of her, Robert."

"I always have been," Robert grinned at Saffron.

"Even when she and Harry--", Ron began, but Luna clamped a hand over his mouth.

"Ronald Bilius Weasley," she began fiercely.

"Sorry, Dr. Granger," Ron said sheepishly.

Harry gave him a death glare and Ron looked sheepishly at his youngest daughter. "Want to see Saffron sweetheart?" he asked, picking her up.

"Sure," Maddie said. "She's really small, Daddy!'

"You were that small once love," Ron answered, bringing her closer.

"I was?" Maddie asked him in surprise.

"Even smaller," Ron said, tickling her a little. "Now you're a big girl."

Maddie laughed. "But still Daddy's girl, right?"

`"You'll always be Daddy's girl," Ron said. "You, Drew and Darla."

"So that would make Josh, R.J., and I, what?" Jon asked. "Chopped liver?"

"That sounds really good about now," Ron said, ignoring his son.

"Ewww," Maddie said crinkling up her nose.

"She's so tiny," Allison said as she and Jon inched closer. "Look at her little fingers!"

"I know," Jon reached out and touched Saffron's velvety hair. "Really sweet," he couldn't help smiling.

"She better not be getting any ideas," Neville whispered to his wife.

"Neville," Cho hissed. "Give it a rest for one day, will you?"

"Well she better not," Neville snapped back quietly. "She's far too young for that and I don't even think she should be dating just one person steadily."

Cho just shook her head. "So you'd like her to bring home a different bloke every night, is that it?"

"That's not what I meant and you know it," Neville whispered furiously.

"Can I hold her, Uncle Harry?" Allison asked oblivious to her parents arguing a few feet away.

"Of course you can Allie," Harry replied warmly.

Allison gingerly took the baby from Harry and laughed as Jon made a goofy face that made the baby smile.

"I think she likes you," Allison said smiling at him.

"I have that effect on girls," he boasted jokingly.

"Did you hear that?" Neville asked angrily to his wife.

"He's joking," Cho said walking away and over to Harry. "So, I heard a nasty rumour, Harry. Someone told me Pansy Parkinson delivered little Saffron there. Is it true?"

"Completely," Harry grinned. "She did a damn good job too."

"Unbelievable," Cho said. "I can't believe it."

"I know, I'm as shocked as you are." Harry replied, taking Saffron back.

Cho looked around at the crowded waiting room and then down at the bundle in Harry's arms who was drifting off to sleep.

"I guess it's true what they say," Cho said thoughtfully. "You think your life is going to turn out one way and then something happens or someone comes along that changes everything."

"You can say that again," Harry snorted. "For both of us. For awhile there before I met Hermione I thought I'd have to marry you out of pity," he teased.

"Oh please," Cho said rolling her eyes. "It would have been the other way around and you know it."

"If you say so," Harry grinned.

"I think things worked out exactly as they were supposed to," Cho said as she watched Ethan and Julie talking to Nick. She saw Frankie, Allison and Chiaki joking with each other about something.

"I know I wouldn't give this up for anything," Harry said, holding Saffron closer as she began to fuss a bit.

"Dad," Julie said coming over to him. "The nurse wants to take Saffron now."

"All right," Harry pressed a kiss to his baby's head and passed her carefully to Julie. "How's your Mum?"

"Healer Parkinson said she was fast asleep," Julie said. "I'll be right back."

"Okay sweetheart," Harry said as she walked away with the baby, Nick at her side.

"Harry?" Elinore asked him. "Robert and I were thinking we'd take Ethan home with us. I know you want to stay here with Hermione."

Harry smiled. "Thank you Elinore," he kissed his mother in law on the cheek. "That'd be really fantastic of you."

"I think we're going to go, too," Cho said. "Neville's about to blow a gasket."

"Over what?" Harry looked confused.

"That," Cho motioned to where Jon and Allie were sitting on the sofa holding hands and chatting with Chiaki. "He's just found out that Josh and Jon are getting their own flat and he's already considering all the worst case scenarios..."

Harry rolled his eyes. "Tell him to lighten up."

"I've tried," Cho said. "Maybe he'll listen to me eventually." She smiled at him. "You get some sleep too, Mr. Potter. And give Hermione my best."

"Will do," Harry promised. "Thanks for being here."

"Wouldn't have missed it for the world," Cho said pecking him on the cheek.

Harry said goodbye to the rest of his friends and family. Ethan was excited when he heard he was going to his grandparents that night to stay and after the room cleared, only Julie and Nick were left.

"So Dad are you all tired out yet?" Julie asked with a smile.

"A little," Harry admitted. "I know you must be knackered as well. Why don't you go on home, Jules?"

"I'm okay Dad," Julie replied. "I wasn't up at the crack of dawn making breakfast this morning."

"That's because I was," Nick grinned.

"Maybe Saffron will be the one Potter girl who can actually cook," Julie said elbowing her boyfriend.

Harry laughed. "The one that breaks the mould aye? Maybe I should start reading cookbooks aloud to her while she's still a baby so she absorbs it all."

"Good idea," Julie said. "Start her out with desserts, Dad. Then work your way up to entrees."

"Right," Harry said, yawning. "Oi I think that knackered me out as much as it did Hermione."

"Don't let her hear you say that," Julie teased.

Harry grinned. "I think I'll go in there and keep her company. I'll send you an owl either later today or tomorrow."

"Take care, Dad," Julie said hugging him. "I love you."

"Love you too sweetheart," Harry kissed the top of her head. "Nick, take it easy." He shook hands with the younger man.

"You too, Harry," Nick said with a grin. "Give Hermione my best."

"I will when she wakes up. I just hope my hand recovers," he playfully grimaced.

Sometime later that evening, Hermione awoke and saw that Harry was asleep in the chair beside her bed. "Harry," she said groggily.

He awoke with a start, stretching as soon as he opened his eyes. "Hey," he said, his voice still thick with sleep.

"You can't have been very comfortable," Hermione said smiling at him. "You could have gone home, you know?"

"And leave you?" Harry gingerly crawled next to her. "You'd have never let me hear the end of it."

"I would have," Hermione said with a grin. "Eventually."

"Right," Harry stole a quick kiss. "How are you feeling?"

"Like I got ran over by the Knight Bus," Hermione said with a slight laugh. "How's Saffy?"

"She's in the hospital nursery, probably sleeping," Harry replied. "Want to go and see her?"

"Sure," Hermione said eagerly.

Harry waited while she got into the robe she'd brought with her and they made their way down the corridor. "Everyone loved her of course," he said.

"Of course," Hermione said squeezing his hand.

"Ethan went home with your parents," Harry yawned again. "And Jules said she'd drop by tomorrow."

"Mum and Dad will have their hands full with Ethan," Hermione said softly.

"They love every minute of it too," Harry grinned as they came upon the nursery. "There she is," he said, gazing down at their baby daughter who was lying right next to the window.

Hermione smiled and touched the glass as she looked at her sleeping daughter. "My little girl..."

"She does look just like you," Harry said softly, his hands around her waist.

"She's got better hair," Hermione said, relaxing against him.

"That must be from me," Harry joked, kissing the side of her head before resting his chin on her shoulder. "I can't believe she's finally here."

As if she could sense her parents looking at her, Saffron's eyes blinked open and she stared up at them.

"She's probably wondering why these two people are staring at her," Hermione said smiling broadly.

"I think she recognises us," Harry replied with a wide grin.

"Harry?" Hermione asked still looking at their daughter.

"Hmm?" he asked.

"Things haven't always been easy for us," Hermione said thoughtfully. "We've gone through so much, but I wouldn't change a minute of it. Not one single moment."

"Me either," Harry replied softly. "It's all led us right here."

Hermione curled her arm around his neck. "And to think it all started in a parking lot..."

Harry laughed. "That it did. I'll never forget seeing you for the first time." he kissed the side of her neck.

"Ron told me that you swore up and down that you weren't checking me out," Hermione said laughing.

Harry snorted. "I wasn't about to tell him I was checking you out."

"Why?" Hermione asked.

"I wanted to keep it to myself," Harry replied. "Plus I didn't want them taking the Mickey out of me in case you didn't fancy me back."

"You actually thought I wouldn't fancy you?" Hermione asked him. "You with the very healthy ego?"

"It was a momentary lapse," Harry nuzzled her ear. "But it didn't last long. After I made you all weak in the knees and forget your name I knew I was in."

Hermione laughed. "Which is why you acted like a prat most of the time during our lessons?"

"You're never going to let me forget that are you?" he asked. "Because if you bring that up I can still talk about the time you fell asleep while we were shagging."

"Now that isn't fair!" Hermione protested.

"I think it's fair," Harry grinned as Saffron began to wail. "Why's she crying? Do you think she's hungry?"

"She's mad at you for giving her Mummy a hard time," Hermione said.

"She probably just wants these," Harry boldly grabbed her rather full breasts.

"Harry!" Hermione exclaimed. "You're terrible!"

"I'm also quite randy," he whispered.

Hermione shook her head. "It's only been a few weeks, Harry."

"And as always, that's far too long for me," Harry replied as Hermione began to pull away. "Where are you going?" he whined.

"To go and feed my daughter," Hermione answered going into the nursery.

"Can I come?" he asked with an appealing grin.

"If you want," Hermione teased.

Harry watched as the nurse assisted Hermione in bringing Saffron to a corner of the room and she began to feed their newborn.

"Do you need anything else, Minister?" the nurse asked.

"No," Hermione said smiling at the nurse. "Thank you."

Harry sat down next to her. "You're a wonderful mother Hermione." he smiled as Saffron smacked her tiny lips and yawned.

"And you are an excellent father," Hermione said smiling at him.

"We certainly have a great brood," Harry said, shifting closer. "Couldn't ask for three better kids."

"I know," Hermione said tearing up again. "Ethan was such a big help these last couple of months. And having Julie there when this little one came into the world...I can't even put it into words..."

"It was pretty incredible," Harry agreed, stroking Saffron's soft head.

Hermione yawned and although she didn't want to go to bed, she knew that both she and the baby needed their rest. She got to her feet as the nurse came back over to take the baby.

"Good night my sweet girl," Hermione said kissing Saffron's forehead. "Mummy and Daddy love you very much."

"That's right," Harry said, pressing his lips to his new daughter's forehead. He grinned with pride as the nurse gently set her back in the tiny bed and they left the nursery, spending a few more minutes gazing down at her from the window before going back to Hermione's room.

"Why don't you come up here with me?" Hermione asked as she settled back into her bed. "It will be much comfortable than that chair."

"Is there enough room?" Harry asked, gazing at the narrow hospital bed.

"You are a wizard, aren't you?" Hermione asked him sleepily. "I don't have my wand.."

"That's true," Harry chuckled. He waved his wand and the bed grew wider in a matter of seconds. "I didn't make it as wide as our bed at home. I want to snuggle with my wife tonight."

Hermione smiled at him as he slipped out of his shoes and then got into bed beside her.

"I've missed this," he said, kissing right under her ear. "It's been awhile since you've let me be close to you."

"I've missed it too," Hermione whispered, closing her eyes.

Harry kissed her again and buried his face in her hair. "I love you Hermione," he said quietly.

"I love you," Hermione said. "Will you hold me until I fall asleep?"

"Of course I will," Harry said, pulling her closer so that they were spooning. "Bet when you wake up I'll still be holding you."

Hermione smiled as she shut her eyes and within seconds she'd drifted off to sleep.

4. Chapter 4

A/N: Here we are with another chapter for you guys! Again, we do ask if you read, PLEASE take just a minute to leave us a review- our stats are really high but the review count is way down. Last chapter we had almost 900 hits and 33 reviews. Come on people- we work on these fics nearly seven days a week, we just ask that you leave us the ten word minimum on what you think of the chapter. Constructive criticism is great- we appreciate people being honest! Flames will only be used to roast marshmallows ;)

This chapter embarks on a bit of a mini saga within this story- where the Malfoys come back yet AGAIN, but it’s not just D/G this time causing trouble! We hope you’ll enjoy this beginning, and we’ll be back Tuesday with more! Please review!

Hermione loved being Minister for Magic. She loved the meetings, she loved having to go to different events and she loved the feeling it gave her of makinga difference. But nothing about that job could compare to the satisfaction and pride that she felt as a mother.

She'd taken three months maternity leave from work to care for her daughter. Two months into that leave, she was wondering how in the world she'd ever go back.

She was able to see Ethan off to primary school each morning and she was there to welcome him home each afternoon.

It was late one afternoon when Hermione found herself as she usually did in the nursery just looking at her baby daughter sleep. Ethan was in his room doing homework and Harry was due home any second. She didn't know how long she'd been in here just watching Saffron sleep, but Hermione couldn't pull herself away.

As if it were clockwork, Hermione heard Harry tumble out of the fireplace and call out that he was home at the same moment Saffron opened her eyes from her afternoon kip. "Shall we go say hello to Daddy?" Hermione laughing adoringly as she picked up their baby.

Harry was dusting himself off when he saw his wife coming downstairs with their daughter.

"How are my girls today?" Harry asked coming toward them.

"We're both fine," Hermione beamed as Harry gave her a kiss and then turned to Saffron, making a goofy face. "She's just woken up."

"She knew her daddy was home," Harry said leaning down and kissing the baby's forehead. Seeing the two of them made up for the terrible news he'd heard today.

"Ethan's almost finished with his homework," Hermione led the way into the kitchen. "And I was just going to feed Saffy here." she smiled again at her husband and suddenly noticed how tired he looked. "What's wrong love?" she asked.

Harry sighed. "Lucius Malfoy is going to be released from Azkaban tomorrow."

Hermione's eyebrows creased together. "Mind explaining to me why?" she asked incredulously.

"Would you believe time off for good behaviour?" Harry asked her. When she started to laugh, he shook his head. "I'm not joking."

"Lucius Malfoy does not have anything remotely good in him," Hermione replied, shaking her head.

"He was approaching the end of his sentence anyway," Harry explained. He sat down at the table and sighed heavily.

Hermione took a bottle out and started to feed a hungry Saffron. "What do you think will happen?" she asked quietly.

"I don't know and that scares the bloody hell out of me," Harry replied. "Lupin thinks I'm worrying for nothing. He thinks Malfoy is too old to stir up any trouble. I'm not so sure I share that opinion."

"Didn't his wife disappear?" Hermione asked. "I remember how right after Chiaki was born she went to go see Cho, but after that... no one really heard from her again."

Harry nodded. "Last report we had on her whereabouts, she was living in Spain. Apparently, she doesn't have much to do with her son. Want to hear something you'll find hard to believe? You and Narcissa Malfoy have something in common, Hermione."

Hermione raised an eyebrow at her husband but didn't say a word.

"Both of you can't stand Ginny," Harry replied.

That brought a smile to her face. "Well that I can heartily agree with." she smirked.

Harry laughed. "But that, my love, is the only thing the two of you have in common."

Hermione shook her head again. "It's really unbelievable that they're letting Lucius Malfoy out of Azkaban. I mean- you proved that he was working for Voldemort, you had him thrown in there- all his friends that he had are still there for life. I just don't understand it."

Harry hadn't wanted to tell her this last bit of information. But he knew she'd find out eventually.

"Hermione, now don't get upset," he began.

"What?" Hermione frowned at him.

He braced himself for her reaction to this before he continued.

"As Minister, you know that you have final say on granting early releases from Azkaban, right?" he asked her. "Well, you would have been told about Malfoy's name coming up for that...."

"And?" she narrowed her eyes. "Because I'm out of the bloody office I don't get a say?"

"Right after you started your maternity leave," Harry said looking away from her. "I may have mentioned to your second in command that I'd appreciate it if he didn't trouble you with anything. I had no idea that he would think this was something small...."

Hermione pressed her lips together tightly. "I want him out of the office now," she snapped.

"Hermione---it was my fault," Harry said apologetically. "It's just...you work so hard. You had a tough time with the last two months of your pregnancy. I wanted you to relax and enjoy your time off."

"This is maternity leave, not a holiday," Hermione shot back. "I am STILL in charge here Harry! I'm the Minister for Magic, not a bloody desk clerk."

Harry had expected her to be angry, but he hadn't expected her to be this angry. "I know, Hermione. I know that. I just wanted you to relax and enjoy your time off. I shouldn't have interfered..."

"That's right, you shouldn't have," Hermione responded icily. "And you're lucky I have the baby right here in front of me right now Harry James Potter."

Harry had just been thinking that very thing. He loved his wife, but she could very scary when she was angry.

"I'm sorry, Hermione," he said. "I was only looking out for you."

"Then stop interfering with my duties," she hissed, still quite annoyed. "I'm the Minister for Magic here, not you." Hermione got up, still feeding Saffron and swept from the room.

Harry thought for a split second that perhaps he should leave her alone, but he wasn't going to let this go just yet. She needed to hear him out. He had just made it upstairs when Ethan came out of his bedroom.

"Dad!" Ethan said excitedly. "Can we go flying, please? I finished all my homework!"

Harry gave his son a weak smile. "Now really isn't a good time, Little Man."

"Come on Dad please?" Ethan begged. "You know Mum won't go and she said you'd probably take me when you got home!"

"She did, did she?" Harry asked. Apparently, it's okay for her to decide what I get to do, but she takes offence when I do the same for her.

Harry looked down at his son who was so eager and who had no idea what was going on between his parents. Besides, it would probably be a good idea to give Hermione some time and space to cool off.

"Okay," Harry finally answered. "Go get your broom."

"All right!" Ethan said excitedly. "I'll meet you downstairs Dad!"

Hermione came out as Ethan ran down the hall. "I'm sorry," she said in a calmer tone than she'd used just minutes before. "My comment down there in the kitchen was a bit harsh."

"I'm sorry too," he said quietly. "I shouldn't have done something like that without running it past you first. It's just that...you were on prescribed bed rest the last couple of months of your pregnancy. I just wanted you to have time with the baby and to rest, Hermione. That's all. My intentions were good, but my methods leave something to be desired, eh?"

She gave him a little smile. "I overreacted. I just hate having people in my place making these big decisions for me. I'm still running things but I feel like I've given up control and I can't stand that."

Harry nodded. "I know sweetheart. But, you needed to spend time with the baby."

"That I've definitely been enjoying," Hermione went into his arms and buried her face in his shoulder. "I love being here when Ethan goes to school and comes home, and I love just being able to sit and watch Saffron whenever I feel like it. I'll miss that when I do go back full time."

"Here I am feeling jealous that you get to do those things and I don't," Harry said hugging her tightly. "Hermione, you're a great Minister and a wonderful mother. There's no reason to think you can't do both."

"Thank you," Hermione hugged him back. "It's because I have such a loving and supportive husband." she pulled back and smiled before giving him a brief but passionate kiss.

Ethan walked out of his bedroom carrying his broom. When he saw his parents kissing, he groaned.

"Not again!" he said stomping toward them.

Harry and Hermione broke apart. "Don't worry little man," Hermione said. "Daddy's still taking you flying."

"Good," Ethan said relaxing. "Mum, can you go over my homework? Make sure it looks okay?"

"When you get back we'll look over it together," Hermione replied. "Greta's looking after Saffy so I'm going to pop into my office for a half hour or so before dinner."

"You will be home for dinner though right, Mum?" Ethan asked.

"I promise little man," Hermione ruffled his messy hair. "I'm not going in for long. Just to take care of a couple of things. No Harry, I'm not going to sack Samuel Baker. I'm just going to let him know I'm not pleased. And I won't be mean and terrifying."

"Go easy on him," Harry said. "It's not his fault you have an overprotective husband."

Hermione gave him a look before heading downstairs and to the fireplace.

"Dad did you make Mum really mad again?" Ethan asked as his father grabbed his own broom and they went outside.

"Again?" Harry asked with a laugh. "You make it sound as if I make her angry on a regular basis."

Ethan grinned at his dad. "Don't you?" he asked impishly.

Harry nudged his son. "I try not to. Sometimes, it doesn't always work out that way."

"Its all so much trouble," Ethan made a face. "I mean look at Maddie- she keeps saying that I'm going to marry her. I'm not ever getting married Dad!"

"That's what I used to say when I was your age," Harry said chuckling. "But trust me on this, Ethan. One of these days, you'll change your mind."

Ethan shook her head. "No way," he replied as they mounted their brooms.

As he and Ethan took to the sky, Harry thought again about Lucius Malfoy's imminent release from Azkaban. He hoped that Malfoy would fade into obscurity with his wife. Harry had fought long and hard to provide a safe home for his family. They'd earned some peace and quiet after all they'd been through mainly at the hands of the Malfoy family. He just hoped this was one time when the Malfoys would leave well enough alone.

*** *** ***

Ginny Malfoy stood in her closet, clad in nothing but her silken bra and knickers while she chose a set of robes to wear for the benefit that evening. Her hair had already been done up, the long lavish red strands curled into an up do and her makeup perfectly applied.

"Wear the blue ones," Draco appeared behind her and nuzzled her shoulder. "I've always liked those on you."

Ginny smiled. "I've already worn those though. You know I hate appearing in public in the same thing twice."

Draco laughed. "No one's going to know, Gin."

"Of course they're going to know," Ginny unhooked a set of pale lavender robes.

"Whatever you wear, you'll be the most beautiful woman in the room," he said admiring her figure.

"You're a bit biased but I won't disagree," Ginny laughed as Draco leaned in and kissed her.

"Remind me again why we have to go to this bloody thing?" Draco asked when they pulled apart. "I don't even know what charity this is for..."

"It's for the Children's Wing of your very own hospital," Ginny placed her arms around his neck. "It's for appearances Draco."

"That and the fact that we gave the most money this year," Draco said proudly. "That's all they care about."

"Probably," Ginny leaned in and gave her husband another kiss.

Despite the embarrassment of having his only son take off for England to go chasing after that Potter girl, Draco was liking having his wife all to himself. Things were like they used to be before they became parents. It was just the two of them---the way it should have always been.

The doorbell chimed downstairs and Ginny started to pull away from him, but he shook his head.

"Let the new maid get it. That's what we pay her for, Gin," he said before claiming her lips again in a fiery kiss.

"You're right," she murmured, letting him unhook her bra.

Draco grinned as they fell back onto the bed, he was about to pull her knickers down when there was a knock on their bedroom door.

"Excuse me, Mr. Malfoy," the new maid Marisol timidly called out. "You have visitors downstairs..."

"Tell them to go away," Ginny answered coolly. "We're busy."

"It's your parents, Mr. Malfoy," Marisol called back.

Draco froze. "My parents?"

Ginny also froze. "I thought your father was in Azkaban."

Draco sat up on the bed. "He is...he's not due for release until next year..."

Ginny scrambled for her bra. "We'd better go see what this is about." the thought of facing Lucius Malfoy made her quite nervous- she hadn't seen him since her time at Hogwarts.

Draco wasn't looking forward to seeing either of his parents. He hadn't made any attempts to visit his father in Azkaban and had given up on keeping in touch with his mother.

When he and Ginny were finally presentable, they walked out of the bedroom to find Marisol standing outside their door.

"What did we tell you about loitering about outside our bedroom?" Draco asked impatiently.

"I'm sorry, Mr. Malfoy," Marisol said wincing at his tone. "I'll be in the kitchen if you need me."

"Stay there until we tell you that you can come out," Ginny said in a commanding tone.

"Yes mistress," Marisol skittered nervously away.

"Will I pass inspection?" Ginny asked lightly but her palms were sweating.

"Let's hope so," Draco said distractedly. He was too worried that he wouldn't pass inspection to worry about settling his wife's insecurities.

Ginny slipped her arm into Draco's as they descended down to the main floor of their luxurious flat.

"Well, well." the drawling voice of Lucius Malfoy greeted them. "I see that your mother and father aren't important enough for you to come down and greet immediately Draco."

"We were otherwise detained, Father," Draco said coldly.

"Ginevra," Narcissa Malfoy said sizing Ginny up. "Have you put on weight?"

Ginny's jaw fell slack. "No... Narcissa. I have not." she stated coolly.

Narcissa didn't look convinced. "Perhaps it's those robes. They aren't very flattering on you."

Ginny's mouth set in a straight line. "I happen to think I look very nice."

"I meant you no offence," Narcissa said with a forced smile. "You are...family...after all."

Draco caught the look Ginny was giving him. She wanted him to stick up for her, but Ginny and his mother had never gotten along and nothing he said would change that.

"Well Draco and I do have a function to attend tonight," Ginny said, still in a cool tone.

"No you don't," Lucius said firmly. "There are more important things you need to deal with than some silly party."

"It's not a silly party," Draco said. "I happen to be the best Healer in these parts and the social we're attending is in honour of the money we've donated."

"I hope you weren't planning on wearing that," Narcissa said fingering the collar of Ginny's robes. "It's very drab, isn't it?"

"My robes are fine," Ginny snapped. "They were custom made for me by Sydney's most prestigious designer!"

Lucius finally turned around to acknowledge Ginny's presence. "Be nice, Narcissa. She has come along way from the tatty robes and second-hand books..."

Ginny shot her husband another angry look as he still remained silent.

"But she still has that vacant expression those Weasleys wear so well," Lucius continued.

"Why don't you tell me why you're here?" Draco interjected.

Lucius smiled coldly. "Simple my boy. You're going back to England with me."

Draco stared at him. "Very funny, Father. I thought I heard you say you wanted me to go back to England."

"I do," Lucius snarled. "A fucking Mudblood holding the position of Minister for Magic, and one who takes time off at that. We can't allow this to happen Draco."

"Not to mention the fact that you let our grandson take off with that Potter trollop," Narcissa said glaring at Ginny.

"We had no control over that!" Ginny stamped her foot.

Narcissa sniffed. "Obviously..."

"You have no right to criticise our parenting efforts," Draco stated coldly.

"We have every right," Lucius said. "You were way too lenient on Nicholas. You should have put your foot down long before it got to the point where he shagged a Potter."

He shook his head at Draco. "Letting your son consort with the daughter of the very person responsible for sending me away to prison...unacceptable, Draco."

"If that's all you have to say then you can leave," Draco snapped. "You haven't been around in who knows how long? And now I'm just expected to run off to bloody England with you?"

"We have our own life here, Mr. Malfoy," Ginny said moving closer to her husband. "We don't belong in England anymore."

"Well a Mudblood doesn't belong in such a powerful position," Lucius stared back at her. "And my son is going to help me get that woman out of there."

"I agree with you, Father," Draco said trying to keep his emotions in check. "I don't think that bitch deserves to be Minister anymore than you do, but there's nothing we can do about it."

"You're not still scared of Harry Potter, are you?" Lucius said, trying to bait his son. "You are, aren't you?"

"I have never been scared of Scarhead," Draco said through clenched teeth.

"It would be understandable if you were," Lucius continued walking around the room. "He was always the best at everything he did, wasn't he? He got better marks than you. He was a much superior flyer. And that whole wandless magic thing...you never could grasp that. He has everything and you have...what? You were all but exiled here to Sydney hiding out with your wife..."

"We chose to come to Sydney," Draco said, refusing to take the bait. "We have a life here, together, that Ginny and I enjoy very much."

Ginny smiled at her husband---proud that he was taking a stand. She was still very upset that he hadn't stuck up for her with his parents, but he was refusing to let them dictate how they lived their life.

"That's right," Ginny said putting her arm around Draco's waist. "We're very happy here. We have no desire to return to England."

Narcissa wrinkled her nose. "In a little flat like this as opposed to a nice large mansion with house elves catering to your every whim?"

"Little flat?" Ginny asked incredulously. "Little flat? I'll have you know that our 'little flat' was profiled in..."

"We don't care," Narcissa waved a hand.

"What are you getting at, Father?" Draco asked. "You want me to be Minister for Magic? Is that what you want?"

"Of course not," Lucius snorted. "You'd never succeed in that sort of office." he smiled cruelly. "I'd take over the position. Things would be run much more smoothly if I was in control."

"They'd never let a convict serve as Minister," Ginny said before she could stop herself.

Lucius's eyes turned dark as Narcissa gasped. "How dare you girl?" he hissed.

"She...she has a point, Father," Draco said standing in between his parents and his wife.

"I will take over," Lucius said angrily. "And you WILL be helping me Draco!"

Draco couldn't believe his father couldn't see this. Ginny was right. There was no way that a convict would ever be Minister for Magic. Despite what he had here in Sydney, he couldn't deny the satisfaction he would feel at watching Potter and his Mudblood fall from grace. His father's words had affected him more than he would have liked.

"I will help you on one condition," Draco finally said meeting his father's gaze.

"What's that?" Lucius shot his wife a look of satisfaction.

"That I get to be Minister," Draco said folding his arms. "Me. No matter what you think of me, Father--you have to realise that I'd have a better shot at the office than you would. I've never been arrested."

Lucius sneered at him. "You'd never make it in politics Draco."

"You either agree to my terms or there's no deal," Draco said sneering back at him.

Ginny could see that Lucius wanted badly to deny his son this request but knew he needed their help- although for what reason Ginny was still not sure.

"Fine," Lucius snapped.

Draco extended his hand to his father.

Lucius grasped it tightly and shook. "You'll have to leave this hovel behind," he snapped.

"This hovel is nicer than Azkaban," Draco shot back.

For a moment Ginny thought Lucius was going to hex both of them but he threw his head back and laughed.

"Too right," Lucius said. "But this place is nothing compared to the Minister's mansion, Draco. And it will all be...ours."

Ginny had her doubts about this plan, but she wasn't about to raise them in front of Lucius.

"You're going to have to work on your hospitality skills, Ginevra," Narcissa said scornfully. "You haven't even offered us a drink..."

"Marisol!" Ginny bellowed. She glared at Narcissa. "I have a maid for that sort of thing," she said snappily.

"Just one?" Narcissa sniffed. "My dear girl, you have so much to learn..."

Ginny turned around to call for Marisol again, but the maid was cowering behind her.

"You called, Mistress?" Marisol asked.

"Get my in laws a drink," Ginny commanded.

"Champagne," Lucius ordered. "We have much to celebrate..."

"When are we to leave, Father?" Draco asked.

"As soon as possible," Lucius replied. "We'll find you a position at St. Mungos in London so you can continue your work there until we take over the Ministry."

"And bring our grandson back into the fold," Narcissa chimed in, glaring at Ginny again. It was obvious that she held Ginny personally responsible for Nick's defection.

"I can't make decisions for Nicholas," Ginny said coldly to Narcissa. "We gave the ingrate anything he could possibly want and he still ran off to be one of the precious Potters."

"It wasn't too long ago when it was your dream to run off with one of the precious Potters, right Ginevra?" Narcissa retorted.

"She married me, Mother," Draco said growing tired of listening to Ginny and Narcissa going at each other.

"That's right," Ginny slid closer to her husband who put his arm around her. "Happily married Draco for quite a long time now."

Lucius sighed impatiently. "We need to come up with a plan of attack, Draco. No mercy. They won't know what hit them."

"Since this is your master plan Father, I assume you're going to come up with the details," Draco snatched the champagne from a trembling Marisol.

"I've had years to think about my revenge," Lucius said clenching his fists. "That was all I had that kept me going in that horrible place."

"And I've been living in a villa in Spain," Narcissa replied. "I knew your father would be out sooner or later."

Lucius raised his glass of champagne. "Here's to getting back what was rightfully mine. And here's to seeing the Potters get exactly what they deserve."

Draco said nothing but raised his glass as well.

Ginny watched the scene unfolding in front of her and wished that Draco would have talked to her before making a life-changing decision. And she certainly didn't look forward to spending the rest of her life with Narcissa Malfoy pointing out her every flaw and every mistake. She didn't have a good feeling about this, but she didn't really have a say, she thought as she listened as Draco and Lucius talked about their plans.

Narcissa gave her a tight smile. "Perhaps since we're spending more time together my fashion sense will rub off on you," she said snidely.

"One can only hope," Ginny said sarcastically. She wasn't interested in hearing Lucius' grand plans. With a heavy sigh, Ginny stood up. "If you'll excuse me, I'm going upstairs. I suddenly have a headache."

"Oh but I thought you two had a party to go to," Narcissa stood up as well.

"Plans change," Ginny said with a pointed look at Draco.

Draco gave her a look. "We can still go after I'm done talking to my father," he said calmly.

"We'll see," she said giving him a weak smile before going upstairs.

Once upstairs Ginny stripped off her robes and threw them into the corner. "Damn them," she cursed.

Nearly two and a half hours later, Draco came upstairs to join his wife. Ginny was sitting at her dressing table furiously brushing her hair when he came into the bedroom.

"Are they gone?" she asked icily.

"Yes," Draco said, ripping off his tie. "They're staying in a hotel."

"Of course," Ginny said slamming her hair brush down. "We wouldn't want them to demean themselves by staying in our hovel."

Draco smirked. "Don't take anything my mother says to heart. She likes getting under people's skin."

"Is that why you didn't take up for me?" Ginny asked him. "Is that why you let her insult me time and time again down there?"

"Would it really have done any good?" Draco snapped.

"It would have done me good," Ginny retorted angrily. She couldn't believe he couldn't see how she'd be upset by what happened. "And that's not even the worst bit, Draco. You decide to throw away all that we have here to go chasing after some revenge plan of your father's. It's never going to work, Draco. Never."

"We'll be the judge of that," Draco turned back to her. "Come on Gin. You hate the Potters as much as I do." he sat down next to her. "Can't you just see us- Minister for Magic of London? Think of your social standings. My mother wouldn't be able to stand it."

"That would be lovely, Draco," Ginny admitted. "But every time you and I have gone against them, we end up looking like fools."

"Not this time," Draco vowed. "This time we're coming out on top. No matter who we have to hurt," his meaning was clear.

Ginny understood. "You really want this, don't you?"

"I want to put Potter where he belongs," Draco replied.

"I want what you want," she said quietly. "If this is what you want to do, I'll stand beside you the whole way."

Draco smiled at her before leaning in to kiss her. "My mother's mad- you looked stunning in those robes tonight."

Ginny grinned. "Care to get back to where we were before they arrived?"

"I think that could be arranged," Draco slid his fingers into her hair and pulled her mouth to his again.

*** *** ***

Harry was sitting at his desk going over his case notes and trying to stay awake at the same time. He'd had four cups of coffee and it had done nothing to improve his mood. If anything, it had made him sleepier. Headquarters was uncharacteristically quiet this morning and Harry was seriously contemplating shutting his office door and taking a quick kip. He loved his newborn daughter with all his heart, but she still hadn't developed a regular sleep schedule and had spent most of the evening crying her lungs out.

"You look like shit," Neville said bluntly, startling his friend and partner.

"Gee thanks," Harry said sarcastically. "Shut the bloody door will you?"

"And we're in a wonderful mood as always," Neville said as he shut the door.

"You haven't been up all night with a newborn," Harry snapped irritably.

Neville nodded. "We both know what this is all about. You and Hermione haven't...you know....in how long now?"

Harry gave his friend a dirty look. "That actually has nothing to do with it," he said coolly. "Mind your own bloody business Longbottom."

Neville held up his hands. "Okay, okay. Relax, Harry. You don't have to bite my head off."

Harry rubbed his eyes. "You're right, I'm sorry." he apologised.

"It's okay," Neville said sitting down. "I've been right where you are mate. Getting by on no sleep...your wife is a hormonal mess and everything you say and do is wrong...it's not an easy time. But you and Hermione will get past this."

"I know," Harry said. "I guess I just never expected to find myself in this position again."

"How bad are things really?" Neville asked.

"Saffy just cries a lot," Harry leaned back in his chair. "We think she might have colic so Hermione brought her to St. Mungos today to be checked out. She's also been antsy to get back to her duties as Minister. Hermione hates being out of the thick of things."

"I thought she liked being home with the baby," Neville remarked. "She was telling Cho just the other day about how much she liked being home with the kids..."

"She does," Harry affirmed. "Despite that, I know she misses being in the office."

Neville nodded. "She'll be back soon enough. She only has a few more weeks on leave, right?"

"A month," Harry nodded.

Neville leaned back in his chair. With Harry's rotten mood, he wasn't so sure he should tell him the news he'd learned from Lupin a few minutes ago. But, he was going to find out eventually.

"Um, have you spoken to Lupin today?" Neville asked, knowing full well that Harry hadn't.

"No," Harry replied. "Why do you ask?"

"You know there's a bunch of trainees starting this week, right?" Neville asked.

Harry nodded. "What about them?"

"Lupin thinks it would be a good idea if he paired them off with someone more experienced," Neville replied. "Instead of having them pair up with each other. So, you are going to have to do without me saving your sorry arse..."

Harry groaned. "You've got to be kidding me! After we've been partners since we left training they're splitting us up now?"

Neville had expected this sort of reaction given his friend's surly mood. "I'm not that crazy about it, either. But Lupin assures me it's temporary."

Harry didn't look any more pleased about this. "Figures, when I have enough to deal with, I get slapped with this." he muttered.

"We have a meeting in ten minutes for our assignments," Neville said.

"Can't wait," Harry's voice was loaded with sarcasm.

"I hate it for the poor soul who gets paired with you," Neville said dryly. "You're going to scare them to death."

"I'll be nice," Harry said unconvincingly.

Ten minutes later, Neville and Harry made their way into the conference room where about 10 trainees sat grouped together in the corner of the room. As Harry entered the room, they all started whispering excitedly.

Harry shot Lupin a dirty look, which Lupin of course ignored. "This is just great," Harry muttered to Neville.

"If everyone would just be seated," Lupin said standing in front of the room. He waited a few moments while everyone got settled.

"I'd like to welcome the new class of trainees to the Auror program," Lupin said. Harry tuned out Lupin's introductory speech. He'd heard it enough over the past few years, that he figured he could recite it himself if he had to. Neville nudged Harry when the assignments were called out.

Lupin cleared his throat. "Neville Longbottom...you will be paired with Tristan Moore.

A tall, gawky looking bloke with sandy blonde hair and pale skin smiled nervously at Neville.

Harry tapped his toe impatiently while Lupin read off the other names. "And Harry Potter, you're with Natalie Worthington," he finished, gesturing towards the fidgety brunette sitting in the corner.

"Wow," Neville commented. "She looks a little like Hermione, don't you think?"

"I guess," Harry said noncommittally.

Lupin smiled at the trainees. "I hope that you will use this time with your new partners to get to know them and to learn more about the job. Please feel free to ask the experienced Auror any question. They were once in your shoes."

Neville stepped off to the side with Tristan and Harry, being in the rather dour mood that he was in, waited for Natalie to approach him rather than go over to her.

"Mr. Potter," Natalie said coming over to join them. "It's really an honour to meet you...."

Harry grudgingly shook her hand. "I hope you're up for some serious work," he said in greeting.

"Yes sir," Natalie said smiling at him. "I graduated at the top of my class at Hogwarts. You were actually going to teach one of our rotations, but you were out of town. We were all so disappointed."

"Yes well duty calls," Harry said. "Come on, I'll show you my office and we can start going over things."

"Oh," Natalie said taken aback at how gruff he was being with her. "Okay..."

Harry was already walking out of the conference room. Natalie quickened her steps to keep up with him.

Harry was less than pleased to find out that an extra desk had already been jammed into his already small office. "I suppose that's yours," he muttered.

"I'm used to small spaces," Natalie said trying another approach. "I live with four other girls in a two-room flat."

Harry sat back down, not wanting to make small talk. "Here are your manuals," he said, reaching down into the bottom desk drawer. "You'll want to commit the Aurors Code to memory if you haven't already."

Natalie stared at him. It was only a few minutes ago when she'd been so thrilled to discover she was going to work side by side with THE Harry Potter. But, if the next few weeks were going to be like this, she didn't know how she was going to make it. She knew she shouldn't say anything. Perhaps this was just a test to see if she could withhold under the pressure.

"Thank you, Mr. Potter," she said in a cool tone.

Harry nodded. "I have some paperwork to finish," he said. "So you can get started on those and then we can try and get you out into the field."

For the next few minutes, Natalie read over some of her manuals while Harry finished his paperwork. She couldn't help noticing that he looked knackered. Every so often, she caught him looking at the framed pictures on his desk.

Harry scribbled on the last pages of his notes and heaved a sigh of relief as he set them in the tray that would magically transport them to Lupin's office. He rubbed his eyes again behind his glasses and reached blindly for his coffee cup.

His hand brushed against Natalie's as she'd been reaching for a quill.

"I'm sorry," she said pulling her hand back.

"It's all right," Harry yawned. "Pardon me..."

"It's okay," Natalie said sympathetically. "You have a new baby at home. My sister is the same way. She just had twins a couple of months ago. I know a tired father when I see one."

Harry sent her a weak grin. "It doesn't help when said baby keeps me and my wife up at all hours," he turned one of the frames around so she could see Saffron. "Definitely doesn't help the old disposition."

Natalie smiled. "She's a beautiful baby. Certainly doesn't seem like anything other than an angel."

"Looks can be deceiving," Harry looked at the photo a moment before setting it back down.

Natalie was about to say something else when another woman walked into the room.

"Hi," the woman said smiling warmly at Natalie. "I'm Megan Reilly. You must be Harry's new partner."

"Hi," Natalie shook her hand. "Natalie Worthington."

"What brings you by Megan?" Harry asked.

"Wanted to let you know that St. Mungos owled," Megan replied. "That contact of yours woke up. He's ready to talk..."

"Fantastic," Harry jumped up. "Come on Natalie. It's your big break already..."

Natalie felt a surge of excitement as she grabbed her cloak and followed Harry out of the office. This was fantastic, she thought to herself.

"So she's been crying and she just hasn't stopped really," Hermione said. "It makes me a bit worried."

"I'm sure she's okay, Hermione," Pansy said cradling the tiny baby in her arms. "We'll run a few preliminary tests, but I think it's just colic."

"Thank you Pansy," Hermione said gratefully.

"You look knackered," Pansy said as she set Saffron down on the examination table. "I hope your husband is helping out..."

"He is," Hermione replied. "When he can- he's been awfully busy as of late. I'm so glad we found a nanny- Greta's been amazing."

"I'm in favour of anyone who keeps you from cooking," Pansy teased as she examined Saffron.

"Hey," Hermione pretended to be offended. "You've never seen my attempts at making a meal!"

"I've tasted your one attempt at making a meal," Pansy said wincing at the memory. A few weeks ago, Hermione had invited her over for lunch as a thank you for all that Pansy had done for Saffy. "It wasn't pleasant. I thought you wanted to be my friend, not poison me."

"Well obviously you haven't had my lasagne," Hermione said. "That's the one thing I do make really, really well. Just ask Harry- he devours it every time I make it."

"I'm sure that's why he married you," Pansy said grinning at her. Saffron cooed happily up at them.

"That and unlimited massages," Hermione smiled as she took a for now happy Saffron into her arms.

"Looks as if you could do with one of those now," Pansy said picking up Saffron's chart and making some notes.

"I think everyone could," Hermione kissed her baby on the forehead. "This one here's got us all tired out."

"She's fine, Hermione," Pansy said smiling at her friend. "And healthy as can be."

"I wish we knew why she's been crying so much," Hermione said. "Neither Julie nor Ethan ever cried as much as this one does."

"It's normal, Hermione," Pansy reassured her. "Come on. How about I treat you to a cup of coffee in the cafeteria?"

"That sounds fantastic," Hermione smiled at her.

"I just need to go and put these charts away," Pansy said. "Why don't you wait outside for me and then we'll head downstairs?"

"Sounds good," Hermione placed Saffron back in her carrier, then put her bag over her shoulder and headed into the hallway.

"Hermione?"

She turned around. "Harry!" she exclaimed. "What are you doing here?"

"I had to interview a witness," he replied kneeling down to look at his daughter. "Look at her. Wide awake and quiet. What's wrong with this picture?"

"Don't ask," Hermione smiled. "Just accept it."

"I forgot about you taking her in today," Harry said grinning at Saffron as she wrapped her tiny fingers around his thumb. "Is she okay?"

"She's fine," Hermione replied. "Just like her father, a crier."

Harry shook his head. "She gets that from her mum."

"In your dreams Harry," Hermione retorted with a grin.

It had been ages since he and Hermione had been able to banter back and forth like this. Most of their conversations these days were about nappies and feedings and baths.

"Listen, Hermione..."

"Harry," Natalie came out of a hospital room, scribbling furiously in her notepad. "I finished transcribing the notes..."

Harry resisted the urge to groan in frustration. He and Hermione were always getting interrupted these days. But, it wasn't Natalie's fault.

"Natalie Worthington," Harry said forcing a smile. "I'd like you to meet my wife, Hermione."

"Hello Natalie," Hermione smiled graciously at the young woman.

Natalie blushed. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Minister."

"How do you two know each other?" Hermione inquired pleasantly.

"I'm just out of the trainee program," Natalie explained. "Imagine my luck at getting partnered with Harry Potter."

"I hope he's being nice to you," Hermione teased.

"As nice as can be expected with a newborn," Harry said gingerly picking up Saffron.

"I understand," Natalie said. "It's a busy time for everyone."

"This is the little terror I was telling you about," Harry said making a goofy face at Saffron.

"She's gorgeous," Natalie said admiringly.

"She gets that from her mum," Harry said winking at Hermione.

"All right," Pansy said coming out of her office. "Wow- we've got a crowd here now."

"Healer Parkinson-Goyle," Harry said teasingly.

"Auror Potter," Pansy returned with a smirk. "Are you and your... friend interested in joining the Minister and me for a cup of coffee?"

"We'd love to," Harry said. "But we should get back to headquarters."

"Another time then," Pansy nodded.

"We'll see you tonight," Hermione gave her husband a kiss on the cheek. "It was nice meeting you Natalie."

"It was nice meeting you too," Natalie said warmly.

Harry placed Saffron back in her pram. He pulled Hermione off to the side. "Promise me, we'll make some time for just the two of us tonight."

"Promise," Hermione said with a smile. "I need it too."

Harry squeezed her hand. "I'm going to hold you to that. And we're going to talk about grown-up stuff, too."

"I can't wait," Hermione laughed softly.

Harry gave her a chaste kiss before saying goodbye to her and Pansy.

When he and Natalie were along again they chatted over the witness interview they'd both conducted. Neither of them saw Lucius Malfoy and Draco Malfoy down the corridor. The hospital administrator was giving Draco a tour of the hospital. Draco had to admit that this place was much nicer than the hospital in Sydney.

"As we could always use such an experienced Healer on staff," the administrator was saying nervously to the Malfoys. "We'd make sure you were welcome."

"I have no doubt that you will," Draco said taking a look around. "And you say you have over...."

His words trailed off as he caught sight of Harry Potter talking to a young, pretty brunette down the hall. The two of them were laughing about something and the girl seemed to be hanging on his every word.

"Would you look at that Father?" he murmured quietly.

"What?" Lucius asked following his son's gaze. "Well, well, well..."

Draco noticed the administrator looking at them with a confused expression on his face. "Could you give us a moment, please?"

"Of course," the administrator said quickly. "I'll just go and draw up the contract for your employment."

"Fantastic," Draco said coolly. He looked back at Lucius. "We could use this," he began.

Lucius nodded. "They are going to make this so easy for us."

They watched as the young woman beamed at Harry and giggled at something he said.

"You'll be Minister before the end of the year, Draco," Lucius said grinning at his son.

"I damn well better be," Draco said.

"You will," Lucius said pulling Draco out of the way as Harry and Natalie walked toward them.

"You really were amazing, Harry," Natalie gushed. "I didn't think he was going to talk, but you...it was just amazing."

"It's all about the initial approach," he explained. "I'll let you in on a little secret- some of these suspects decide on whether or not they're going to talk to you within the first minute. Sometimes you can get them to crack anyway and other times you can't."

Draco resisted the urge to laugh out loud.

"I really do hope to learn everything I can from you," Natalie said as she and Harry waited for the lift.

"You seem to catch on pretty quick," Harry offered some rare praise. "But just don't get ahead of yourself."

"I won't," Natalie promised as the lift pinged open and she and Harry walked inside. "Thanks again for letting me tag along today, Harry."

"You'll have to get used to tagging along," Harry said. "For the next few weeks at least."

"You'll lead and I'll follow," Natalie said as the lift doors closed.

Draco and Lucius stepped out from behind the pillar they'd ducked behind.

"If she were any more obvious," Draco mused. "He's probably already shagging her..."

"Exactly what I was thinking," Lucius replied.

5. Chapter 5

A/N: Thanks you guys for reviewing- we enjoyed reading them all! You guys who took the time to leave your comments seriously rock and we appreciate it so much!

To answer a few questions- this story is plenty long. As of today June 14th, it’s 699 pages and will be getting MUCH longer. We have plenty of fluff and angst headed your way- this is basically all the stuff that continues to enter our minds that we want to write out- or rather, what the characters want us to write ;)

Also, this situation with the Malfoys is just a segment- it doesn’t run through the whole story. It will jump to later years in latter parts of the fic. And please don’t hate Natalie you guys- she’s not a villain, and she’ll be as victimised as H/Hr by the Malfoys.

As always, please let us know what you think of the chapter! See you all Saturday!

*** *** ***

Julie watched in amusement as her mother hurried about the nursery packing things up for Saffron. She could tell her mother was not looking forward to being away from Saffron and Julie had spent most of the past hour convincing Hermione that it would be okay and that Saffron and Ethan would be okay staying with she and Nick.

"She likes for you to sing to her just before you put her down," Hermione said throwing some nappies into the bag. "And she likes that music box playing in the background too..."

I know," Julie said smiling at her mother. "You told me that three times already."

"I'm sorry," Hermione stopped and took a breath. "I just really appreciate this Julie."

"It's no problem," Julie said going over to the crib and looking down at her sleeping sister. "I'm dying to have her all to myself. And Nick is planning a boy’s night for Ethan. We wouldn't have offered if we didn't want to do it."

"It'll be nice to have some downtime with your father," Hermione commented, handing her daughter the bag with all Saffron's things. "And Greta was also thrilled to have a night off. She's been a Godsend Jules."

"I know," Julie said. "And if Nick and I ever have children, she's ours."

"Only if Ethan will give her up," Hermione joked.

"He has no say in the matter," Julie said laughing. "So, what exactly did you have planned for this evening?"

Hermione grinned. "You don't really want me to get into detail here do you?"

Julie winced. "No, probably not. I'll just think in my innocent little head that you and Dad are going to have a nice meal and watch old movies or something mundane like that."

"That's exactly what we'll do," Hermione teased. "Ohhh there she goes," she sighed as Saffron opened her eyes and began to wail. "Come here baby," she picked her up and tried to soothe her.

For once Saffron seemed to be willing to cooperate and she rested her tiny head on Hermione's chest. A tear fell down Hermione's cheek and Julie patted her mother's shoulder.

"Mum," she said softly. "It's only one night. She's going to be okay. I promise."

"I just always hated being separated from any of you," Hermione said, sniffing. "This will be the first night I've spent away from her since she was born!"

"I know," Julie said smiling sympathetically at her mother. "But it's been two months. You and Dad are going around looking like the living dead. You both need this. You said so yourself..."

"I know," Hermione wiped her eyes with her free hand and headed over to the changing table to dress her baby girl. "You should have seen me the first night I had to spend away from you. I was a right mess."

"You were?" Julie asked.

"I was on a research trip," Hermione nodded. "And Anna was there with me, and she kept teasing me because I kept looking at your picture and crying." she laughed a little. "She got to be the same way with Lizzy when she was born."

"Dad had it all under control though, right?" Julie asked.

"Oh yes he was fine," Hermione nodded. "I just missed you so much is all. You were such a good baby Jules."

Julie smiled as Ethan came in to join them. He was carrying his own duffle bag.

"Julie?" Ethan asked setting his bag down. "I know I've asked you this before, but you aren't lying to me right? Maddie isn't going to be there."

Julie laughed. "Are you that scared of her Ethan?" she teased.

Ethan nodded. "She's completely mental, Julie."

"He does have a right to be concerned," Hermione said with a laugh. The last time Ethan had stayed with his sister and Nick, Maddie had been a surprise guest.

"Give me a break, Ethan," Julie said rolling her eyes. "Ron and Luna had an emergency and she had nowhere else to go. I didn't do it on purpose."

Ethan made a face. "If she'd stop going around and saying that we're going to get married I'd be FINE," he grumbled.

"I promise Maddie won't be there tonight," Julie said. "Unless, of course, they have another emergency. But I doubt that'll happen."

"Good," Ethan said. "Nick said we were going to eat nothing but rubbish and play video games..."

"I beg your pardon?" Hermione asked raising an eyebrow at her son.

"I mean, have something like a salad," Ethan corrected, grinning impishly at his mother.

"Yeah right," Hermione said. "Promise me that you will brush your teeth before you get to bed. And don't eat so much that you make yourself sick, Ethan James."

"I won't," Ethan promised, giving his mother a hug. "And if you and Dad don't want to pick us up until later tomorrow that's okay. I'll be having a lot of fun with Nick."

Julie mussed her little brother's hair. "With the way mum's carrying on, you'll be lucky if she doesn't come in the middle of the night to take you back home."

Hermione reluctantly passed a yawning Saffron over to Julie. "Just... be careful and you know you can floo us if anything goes wrong and we'll be there in two seconds and--"

"We'll be fine," Ethan and Julie said together.

Hermione gave them all hugs and kissed Saffron on the forehead. "You have fun and behave yourself," she told Ethan.

"How can you have fun if you behave yourself?" Ethan asked as he walked out of the nursery carrying his bag.

Julie laughed. "They are both going to be fine. You just enjoy your mundane night of dinner and old movies with dad. That's an order, Minister."

Hermione laughed. "All right, now go before I change my mind and keep her here," she nodded towards Saffron as Julie placed her in a carrier.

After a nearly heart wrenching goodbye with her baby daughter, Hermione set about getting ready for her romantic evening with Harry. Despite her apprehension at being separated from Saffron and Ethan, she couldn't help thinking that this was just what she and Harry needed.

Her lasagne was almost finished in the oven, as she came back down in some sexy lingerie with a robe over it. She lit the candles that she'd put on the table and set out their nicest dishes.

As she turned on some soft music, she caught sight of the clock on the wall. Harry should be home any minute, she thought excitedly.

But Harry was still at the office, going over some last minute paperwork with Natalie.

"So," Natalie asked as they finished up. "How did I rate on my very first day?"

"You did good," Harry replied in a neutral tone. "You kept your cool, you didn't get overexcited like I've seen some new recruits do, and from what I saw, you tend to think before you act."

Natalie beamed at him, grateful for the praise.

"I guess I'm not that bad, then?"

"Not at all," Harry smiled back at her. "And I should apologise for how I was when you first got assigned to me. Everything's just been catching up to me since Saffy was born. If you ask my wife, she'll tell you I was the same way when I met her."

"So you must have mellowed out some for her to fall in love with you?" Natalie asked teasingly. "She married you after all...gave you three children..."

"Aye that's right," Harry grinned. "The first time we officially met she told me she couldn't even remember her name."

"I can't imagine the Minister for Magic being like that," Natalie said truthfully. "She just seems so...so in control all the time."

"She really is," Harry mused, rubbing his unshaven jaw. "But sometimes she can lose her head and have fun. We just have to be careful because the media blows everything out of proportion. Hermione and I used to go out dancing before we got married, before she got into the position she's in, and hardly anyone would bother us. Now we can't even go out for a bite to eat half the time without being photographed."

"You miss doing stuff like that, don't you?" Natalie asked him.

"Sure I do," Harry said. "But at the same time, I'm pretty satisfied with my life now. I've got three kids and an amazing wife that I wouldn't give up for the world."

"Your eyes light up when you talk about them," Natalie told him. She looked away when she realised how bold a statement that was. "It's really none of my business, sir. I'm sorry..."

"It's all right Natalie," Harry said.

"I hope to someday have a family like that," she said wistfully. "I recently broke up with my boyfriend---Ian."

"Was it serious?" Harry asked gently.

Natalie nodded. "We were childhood sweethearts, actually. He was never really supportive of me being an Auror though. Truth be told, I think he was afraid his mates would make fun of him for having a girlfriend who was an Auror. I just couldn't take it anymore so I broke things off. I mean, if he really loved me, he'd have supported me, don't you think? In whatever I wanted to do..."

"I agree with you," Harry nodded. "My friend Ron asked me how I felt about Hermione being Minister and essentially, my boss- everyone's boss. It didn't make me feel any less of a man, and it doesn't make me feel like Hermione has more power than I do. She doesn't lord it over people like that bastard Fudge did when he was in office. If this Ian bloke was worth it, he'd have stuck around and supported you."

Natalie grinned at him. "I keep trying to tell myself that, but it still hurts."

"It'll get better," Harry assured her, grabbing his cloak.

"This day really flew by," Natalie said getting to her feet.

"Aye," Harry said. "There will be days that you think will never end though. Those are the days when we do nothing but file paperwork."

"So it's not all intrigue and action all the time, eh?" Natalie asked with a laugh.

"Definitely not," Harry smiled. "How about since you did such a great job I take you out for a bite to eat? You've got to be starving."

"I am," Natalie admitted.

"Does Leaky Cauldron sound good to you?" Harry asked. "They make a fantastic stew there."

"That sounds perfect," Natalie said smiling at him as he held the door for her. "Thanks, Mr. Potter."

"Sure," Harry said. "It's good to have a recruit who's actually serious about being an Auror. So many are just into this because they think it's a high profile job and they'll make a lot of money. That much is true but you do a lot of hard work as well."

Natalie nodded. "I hope to learn so much from you, Mr. Potter. This job means so much to me."

"Good to hear that," Harry patted her shoulder.

Natalie couldn't believe her luck. She was training with the most famous wizard in the world and he was actually being nice to her. She'd meant what she said to him earlier. She did hope to learn everything she could from him.

*** *** ***

Hermione was hoping the time was wrong- it was half past nine and her husband still was not home. She pushed a strand of hair out of her eyes and sighed tiredly.

She knew he'd probably been called away on some emergency and hadn't had a chance to owl her to let her know he was going to be late. But usually if that happened, he'd get someone from the office to pass along the message. There had to be some logical explanation for his being late. It had happened before, but she'd gone to so much trouble for a quiet evening for just the two of them.

She stood up and set about blowing out the candles when she heard a rumbling from the fireplace.

Harry tumbled out, brushing the soot and dust off his work robes. "Hermione?" he coughed. "I'm home!"

Hermione took a deep breath before coming out of the kitchen. Whatever it is, don't get angry. Don't get angry.

She walked into the sitting room to see him going through the owl post as if nothing out of the ordinary had happened.

"You're late," she said coldly.

"Yeah I took my new recruit out for dinner," He said nonplussed. "She's really great- I think she's going to be a fantastic Auror."

"Great," Hermione said pulling her robe tighter around her. She breezed past him and blew out some more of the candles.

"How's Saffy?" Harry asked. "And where's Ethan- I don't hear him running around anywhere?"

"With Julie and Nick," Hermione said trying to keep her cool. How thick could one person be?

Harry looked up properly and saw her for the first time. "Hermione--" he began, sensing that she was ticked off about something.

"Save it," Hermione said dismissively blowing out the last candle. "I'm going to bed."

Harry set the remainder of the post on the table and grabbed her wrist. "What's going on?" he asked.

"Oh nothing special," Hermione said sarcastically. "Julie took Ethan and Saffy for the night because I thought I'd surprise you with a nice romantic dinner...."

Harry sighed as he remembered their conversation earlier that day. "Hermione, love I'm so sorry."

Hermione looked at him. "It nearly killed me to let Saffy go..."

Harry pulled her into his arms. "I'm a bad husband," he pressed his lips to her head. "I'm so sorry I wasn't here earlier."

"It's okay," Hermione said as tears flowed down her cheeks. "It just would have been nice if you'd owled to let me know you wouldn't be home."

Harry wiped her tears away. "Would you like me to go to our room?" he teased gently.

"If you take me with you," she said giving him a slight smile.

"I'll do anything you want me to do," Harry gave her a kiss. "You can punish me for being naughty if you like." his lips skimmed over her cheek to her ear as he picked her up easily.

Hermione giggled. "Are you using some sort of levitation charm? I must weigh a ton."

"I've never had trouble picking you up," Harry replied.

"I'm huge," Hermione said rolling her eyes. "I'm beginning to think I'm never going to lose the weight from Saffy."

"You never looked more gorgeous to me," Harry said truthfully.

Hermione smiled at him. "You're just trying to make up for being late."

"I am not," Harry replied.

He carried her into their bedroom and Hermione was glad that he'd made it home before she'd cleaned up in here. Soft music was playing on the stereo and there were still some lit candles on the dresser and bedside table.

"Hey," Harry said appreciatively. "You did all this?" he set her down and hit his forehead. "I'm such an arse."

"You didn't know," Hermione said softly.

"Aye but you're right, I should have owled you." Harry said, pulling her close.

"You can make it up to me now," she said kissing him.

Harry plundered her mouth with his, kissing her as hard as he could. "It's been too long since we've been together," he muttered.

"Five months, four days, two hours," Hermione whispered.

"I thought it was six hours?" Harry said softly.

"It feels like forever," she said as he kissed her neck.

"It has been," Harry lifted her up again and set her on the bed. "But it's all about to be history."

Hermione nodded. "Ancient history." She began to undo the buttons on his shirt. There would be no interruptions tonight.

He kissed her again, running his hands through her long hair before moving them down to untie her robe. "Merlin," he gazed at her scantily clad body.

Hermione blushed, hoping he wasn't looking at her stomach that was nowhere near as flat as it used to be.

"You are so gorgeous," he murmured.

"You're such a liar," she said looking up at him.

"I wouldn't lie to you about how you look," Harry replied, still running his hands over her. "Hermione, you just had a baby- so you don't look exactly like you used to. I still think you're stunning. I thought so the whole time you were pregnant."

"I love you," she said as fresh tears welled up in her eyes. "I love you so much, Harry."

"I love you too," Harry said, his green eyes soft as he looked down at her.

"Show me," she whispered.

Harry peeled the robe off her body, his eyes trained firmly on hers as she reached for the zipper on his trousers.

Hermione felt somewhat like she did when they'd first had sex. It had been quite some time and she was self-conscious about her body. But the way he was looking at her, she knew he meant what he said. The anger she'd felt about him being late ebbed away as he slid out of his trousers.

He helped her out of the lingerie, noting with delight that she wasn't wearing anything underneath it. "I can't ever get enough of you," Harry said softly. "You're like an addiction. Remember that?" he grinned at her.

"I do," she said smiling up at him. She was touched that he remembered it as well.

"I still like to think about that first night we were together," he said between kisses.

"This feels a little like our first night," Hermione said softly.

"All alone," Harry kissed her neck. "The only difference is that we're not in some tiny cabin."

"I loved that...mmmm....tiny cabin," she said.

"It does have some fond memories doesn't it," Harry grinned.

"It does," she agreed. "And I still think that's where we conceived Saffy."

"Either that or the lake," Harry replied. "But I'd like to think it was the cabin too." he kissed her again. "I've missed this..."

"I've missed you," she said bringing him down on top of her. "So much, Harry..."

"We won't go this long again," Harry vowed. "We're going to start taking some time each week for this."

"Starting tonight," Hermione said.

"Exactly," Harry said, kissing the hollow of her throat.

Sometime later, Hermione sighed contentedly as she fought off the sleep that was beckoning her. They'd made love twice and if they both weren't so knackered, a third time would have certainly been possible.

"That was..." she started to say, but laughed. "Words fail me..."

Harry chuckled softly. "That hit the spot," he said with a grin.

Hermione laughed and cuddled up closer to her husband. "Do you think Saffy's okay?"

"I'm sure she's fine," Harry kissed her forehead. "Jules was probably thrilled to hog her for a whole night."

"She was," Hermione said. "But this is the first night Saffy's been away from home."

"And I'm sure she'll be fine," Harry said reassuringly.

"She was really great today," Hermione said. "After I left St. Mungos, I took her for a walk."

"I bet she loved that," Harry nuzzled her ear.

"Tomorrow's Saturday," Hermione said softly. "We could both take her for a walk tomorrow...."

When Harry didn't respond, she looked at him. "Don't tell me you have to work tomorrow...."

"I have to go in," Harry said. "Just in the morning, I should be out by midday."

"Oh," she said trying to hide her disappointment. After what they'd just done, she didn't want to ruin it with another row. "When you get back, we could take her for a walk then."

"That sounds good to me," Harry agreed. "Get her out while the weather's still somewhat nice."

"And you'd better not stand your little girl up," Hermione teased.

"I couldn't do that," Harry protested/

"I know you wouldn't," Hermione said kissing him softly.

Harry returned her kiss. "You've completely knackered me," he teased.

"You want to know what's unfair?" she asked him. "I get to sleep in while SOMEONE has to go to work..."

"You had to remind me," Harry growled playfully.

"Come on," she said laughing. "We should both get some sleep. Merlin knows we both need it."

"Aye," Harry yawned. "I know I do."

Hermione closed her eyes. "Good night, Harry."

"Night love," Harry said, stifling another yawn.

It didn't take long for the two of them to drift off to sleep. Hermione couldn't remember the last time she'd had such a good night's sleep.

It was just gone eight in the morning when there was a loud knocking on their bedroom door. Hermione's eyes opened in alarm.

"What the hell?" Harry asked grumpily.

"I don't know," Hermione said as the knocking got louder and louder.

"Hermione!" a familiar voice called out from the other side of the door.

"Lavender?" Hermione asked reaching for her robe as

Harry slipped back into his boxer shorts. He walked over to open the door and was greeted to Lavender hitting him upside the head with a newspaper.

"What the hell was that for?" he asked trying to hold her back.

"This!" Lavender threw it at him. "Take a bloody look!"

Harry took the paper and walked back over to the bedside table to get his glasses.

"Lavender," Hermione asked. "I didn't even know you were in London..."

"I just Flooed in," Lavender said, crossing her arms.

"You've got to be fucking kidding me," Harry said looking in disbelief at the paper. Hermione walked over and saw the huge headline "Potters' Perfect Marriage in Trouble?" screaming back at her in bold print. The article was accompanied by a large picture of Harry and his new partner huddled close together at a table laughing at something. Hermione watched in disbelief as the photograph Harry brushed something from Natalie's face.

"We were having stew and she got some on her face," Harry explained to his wife. "Hermione you know that this doesn't mean anything."

Hermione nodded. "I know. This rag has been trying to stir up trouble for us for years now..."

Harry glared at Lavender. "Obviously you believed it."

"The paper said you were 'canoodling' with her," Lavender said still not convinced. "They said you were with her for over two hours. An unnamed source even said that you were holding hands at one point..."

"That's fucking ridiculous and you know it," Harry snapped. "Damn it Lav, how many years have you known me now? And how many articles are you going to believe over me?"

"I know but Hermione said the two of you hadn't..."

Hermione glared at her cousin.

Harry uttered a frustrated sound and went into the closet to change into his work clothes.

"I'm sorry," Lavender said sheepishly to her cousin. "I just saw the article and I wanted to make sure you were okay. I didn't think it was some big secret that you and Harry hadn't shagged in months..."

"It's really not," Hermione said. "But you know how he gets when these bloody stories flare up."

For the first time, Lavender noticed the burned out candles. "Ohhhhhhh...."

"Yeah," Harry snarled, yanking his tie around his neck.

"I'll just give you two a few moments alone," Lavender said, wanting to get out of there. "I'll just go make some coffee, shall I?"

Hermione watched as her cousin quickly left the room.

"She was just concerned, Harry," Hermione said. "It doesn't excuse her barging in like she did..."

"She just always assumes the worst," Harry replied. "Every damn time one of these shows up she thinks it's true."

"I know," she said helping him with his tie. "I'll talk to her about that. Hey...you know that I don't believe any of that, don't you? Especially not after last night..."

"I know," Harry softened. "I just don't understand why we make the headlines like this all the time. And they never report on us when they see us out together. It's only if we're with someone else."

"As a happily married couple, I reckon we're pretty boring," Hermione said smiling at him. "At least to the outside world."

"Too bad they don't know what goes on inside," Harry gave her a kiss. "Well... I'll try and get back soon as I can all right? I promise to do whatever we have to do as quickly as possible."

"Okay," she said. "And if this is hard on you, I can imagine what poor Natalie is feeling. I'm sure she can't enjoy seeing her face plastered on the front page."

"Yeah," Harry sighed heavily. "Well, I guess I'd better go tell her what to expect, working with me."

Hermione gave him one last kiss. "Don't forget you have a date with your wife and daughter this afternoon."

"I'll be there," Harry promised.

After she'd seen him off, Hermione walked into the kitchen to confront Lavender. She found her cousin helping herself to some muffins Greta had baked yesterday afternoon.

"That Greta sure does know how to bake," Lavender said giving her a smile.

"Yes she does," Hermione said. "Lav- you can't accuse Harry of being unfaithful every time one of these articles shows up. That's a new Auror recruit, and Harry's her mentor for the next few weeks. She did a good job and he took her out for a dinner to congratulate her."

"I know," Lavender said quickly. "I mean now that he explained it and everything...okay, okay. I jumped to the wrong conclusion, but I had a right to be concerned."

"I suppose so, sure, but Harry would never cheat on me, even if it had been a year since we shagged," Hermione got some coffee and sat down by her cousin.

"He hates me now, doesn't he?" Lavender asked concern etched across her face.

"No," Hermione shook her head. "Harry doesn't hate you. He might hold this over your head for the next fifty years but he doesn't hate you."

"Where is my gorgeous Saffron?" Lavender asked, wanting to change the subject. "I've made her some fabulous robes. They're so cute and tiny."

Hermione laughed. "She's at Julie's, along with Ethan. I'm sure she'll be bringing them back soon. And where's Seamus?"

Lavender rolled her eyes. "Doing something with his movie. He was mad because I kept interrupting him."

"Still a tyrant is he?" Hermione giggled.

"Worse," Lavender said laughing. "But he's MY tyrant."

"Aye Mrs. Finnigan," Hermione teased.

"Mrs. Potter," Lavender said throwing a piece of her muffin at Hermione. "Mrs. Potter finally got some..."

"I don't see you with any children," Hermione tossed the piece back.

"Shut it you," Lavender said laughing. "We were all wondering if we were going to have to give your rabbit title away."

"Never," Hermione shook her head.

"Well believe it or not," Lavender said. "I did come over here for a reason...other than accusing your husband of infidelity, of course."

"What might that be?" Hermione asked, taking a sip of coffee.

"Seamus is going to be off filming for the next couple of weeks," Lavender said. "And I really need to check up on my boutiques here so I'm thinking of hanging around here for awhile."

Hermione grinned. "That's fantastic news!" she said, genuinely thrilled. "I'll have Greta make up one of the guest rooms for you, if you want to stay here in the house."

"Do you think your husband the grump will mind?" Lavender asked only half joking.

"He'll put up a fight but you know he misses having you around," Hermione laughed.

"I totally got that from the reception I gave him this morning," Lavender joked. "I promise I will be on my best behaviour while I'm here. Harry won't want me to leave."

"Right," Hermione said dryly.

"You know he will," Lavender said. "Now how about you go and get dressed and we can go pick up Saffy and the little man. I know you said Julie was bringing them by, but you and I both know you're dying to see them."

"Of course I am," Hermione replied. "Last night was the first night I ever spent away from her."

"And the first night you got some action in quite some time," Lavender teased.

"Yes, much needed might I add," Hermione laughed.

"And the rabbits are back," Lavender said grinning at her.

"As if we ever left," Hermione shot back, putting her empty cup in the sink. "I should be ready in about a half hour."

"I don't understand how it is possible to be ready in half an hour," Lavender said in amazement.

Hermione laughed. "I don't live in Hollywood."

"Aye," Lavender said smiling at her cousin. "But I wish you did."

"Well I miss having you here," Hermione said as Lavender followed her upstairs.

"Not one of my friends in Hollywood holds a candle to you," Lavender said studying her nails as she followed Hermione into the bedroom. "They're all so...superficial."

"And you call them your friends?" Hermione asked sceptically. "What about that one girl you used to hate, Seamus's ex... what was it- Winter?"

Lavender rolled her eyes. "Please. Summer's about as deep as a kiddie pool. She has awful taste in clothes. She still thinks tube tops are fashionable."

Hermione laughed as she slipped into a robe. "So I take it Seamus's hope that the two of you would become friends hasn't become a reality?"

Lavender shook her head. "We're more like shopping acquaintances."

"Of course," Hermione smiled. "I'm going to pop in the shower."

Lavender nodded and sat down on the edge of Harry and Hermione's bed. Thinking she'd let Seamus know where she was, she pulled out her mobile and rang him. She knew this hadn't been a good idea when he barked a rushed hello at her.

"Hello to you too, Sunshine," she said laughing.

"Hey!" his voice lightened. "Where are you?"

"At Harry and Hermione's," Lavender replied. "I was trying to tell you this morning, but you threw me out."

"I did not," Seamus said indignantly. "I just told you that you were in the way."

"Which is tantamount to throwing me out," Lavender scoffed.

"I'd never throw you out," Seamus teased. "You'd have half my fortune spent on Rodeo Drive in an hour if I did."

"Half your fortune?" Lavender giggled. "Try all of it."

"Right," Seamus laughed. "How long are you staying in London?"

"I'm going to floo home and grab some clothes, but I think I'm going to stay out here for a couple of weeks," Lavender said thoughtfully.

"I'll miss you," Seamus said softly.

"You probably won't even notice I'm gone," Lavender said grinning.

"I will at night," Seamus said licentiously.

"Me too," Lavender agreed. "But Hermione needs me now."

"Why?" he asked.

Lavender sighed. "That was what I was trying to tell you when you threw me out. There was a huge article in the paper. Apparently, Harry took some tart out for dinner and it made the front page."

"What?" Seamus was confused. "Why would he take some other girl out to dinner?"

Lavender could still hear the water from the bathroom and figured she could speak freely without her cousin overhearing.

"She's some new Auror trainee," Lavender explained, keeping her voice down just the same. "And you know what's strange...she looks a bit like Hermione. Not a whole lot, but just a little. The paper tried to play up that angle. Said he was trading the Minister in for a younger model. Can you believe that?"

"That's horrible," Seamus replied. "Harry would never leave Hermione, not ever."

"I know that," Lavender said sheepishly. She was afraid to tell him how she'd reacted. "I sort of barged in here this morning and I kind of ...maybe....overreacted a bit."

"That sounds about right," Seamus said, shaking his head.

"All I did was hit him with the newspaper," Lavender tried to rationalize. "You know you could have prevented this if you'd listened to me this morning, but nooooooooo...."

"Hey I have work to do- Summer's sprained her ankle and her scenes have halted for the time being while she recuperates, so we have to move locations," Seamus replied in his defence. "That's a move from here in LA onset to Vegas."

"You know how she sprained her ankle, don't you?" Lavender asked him.

"Lav don't start," Seamus warned.

Lavender laughed. "Okay, okay. I should probably go anyway. Sounds like Hermione's done in the shower."

"All right," he said. "Ring me soon and let me know how things are will you?"

"I will," Lavender said. "I love you."

"Love you too," Seamus said huskily. "See you soon."

Lavender smiled happily as she clicked her phone off. Her husband may be a complete workaholic, but it was part of his charm...most of the time.

"You look happy," Hermione commented, coming out of the loo.

"I just checked in with Seamus," Lavender said dreamily. "I told him I was staying on here for awhile."

Hermione laughed. "You two haven't stopped honeymooning have you?" she teased.

"Not really," Lavender said grinning at her.

"Well I suppose I can relate," Hermione said, disappearing into the closet and coming out fully dressed a moment later.

"So you never told me," Lavender said. "How was last night?"

"I wasn't aware you needed details," Hermione replied. "But it was very nice. Harry and I both needed time together."

"I couldn't help noticing the lasagne in the icebox," Lavender said dryly. "It was untouched."

"That was due to him coming home late," Hermione explained, tying back her hair.

"From eating dinner with the tart?" Lavender asked tactlessly.

"Lavender," Hermione turned and frowned. "Natalie's not a tart. She's an intelligent young witch who's just trying her hardest to be an Auror all right?"

"Okay," Lavender said looking away. She still wasn't convinced. "Hey, let's go get Saffy and Ethan."

"Fine," Hermione dropped the subject but she knew she'd be picking it back up later.

Meanwhile, Harry let himself into the office, ignoring the jeers of some of his fellow Aurors. He ignored them all and strode to the back where his private office was.

Natalie quickly wiped her tears away when she heard Harry come inside the office. The last thing she needed was for him to see her crying.

"Good morning sir," she managed to choke out.

Harry looked at her and frowned. "I assume you saw the paper?" he asked.

That was all Natalie needed to hear as a fresh round of tears welled up in her eyes. "T-there were r--reporters outside my flat this morning."

Harry sighed and shook his head. "Want a bit of advice?" he asked, softening his tone. "Hold your head high the next few days. I'm sorry to say that people are going to be staring at you and possibly even saying nasty things but the best thing to do is to ignore it and go about your business."

Natalie nodded, but she didn't see how that was possible. The article had labelled her a "home wrecker" and when she'd opened her door this morning to find reporters camped out in the hall, she'd felt faint. They'd hardly given her a moment to catch her breath before they'd barraged a series of questions at her.

"I may have made things worse, Mr. Potter," she said her lower lip trembling. "This morning I tried to tell them that I had no interest in you at all, but they twisted my words around..."

"It's all right Natalie," Harry said. "I'm friends with the daughter of the owner of the Quibbler. I can probably get her to write an article straightening all this out. For what it's worth, we know the truth- that it was a business dinner. And Hermione doesn't believe a word of that rubbish either."

"Really?" Natalie asked hopefully. "The last thing I would ever want to do is bring any trouble to your family, Mr. Potter. I hope you know that."

"I know," Harry smiled at her. "And I'm sorry- I should have warned you that the media likes to latch onto what I do in my free time but they haven't bothered me in so long that I'd forgotten about it."

Natalie nodded. "On the bright side, at least it's a short day today, right?"

"Right," Harry said encouragingly. "I do have to leave right afterwards but you can owl me if anyone gives you extra grief over this all right?"

"That's just it," Natalie said looking at the small envelope in front of her. "Ian saw the article."

"Your ex?" Harry asked.

Natalie nodded. "He basically called me a tramp and a tart and that he knew why I went about being an Auror....he was horrible."

Harry shook his head. "He sounds like a real winner." he snorted.

"I sure know how to pick them," Natalie said picking up the letter and tearing it into shreds.

"That's it," Harry said as she tossed the pieces into the fire. "Just let it go."

"That's what Tristan said too," Natalie said feeling better a she watched the fire. "He's been really supportive throughout all of this. He was the only one who didn't have some snide comment to make."

Harry smiled. "Neville's trainee right?"

Natalie blushed. "Yes."

"He's a good looking bloke." Harry commented idly.

"He's really funny too," Natalie said returning to her seat. "He always knows just what to say to make me feel better."

"I'm glad you seem to have a champion on your side," Harry said. "It's always nice to have someone to lean on."

"It really is," Natalie agreed. She grabbed a handful of files. "I'm going to go and take these down the hall. Thanks again, Mr. Potter."

"Anytime Natalie," Harry said. "I meant what I told you yesterday. I think you're going to make a great Auror." he smiled. "And don't think this is going to make me lighten up on you either."

"I wouldn't have it any other way," Natalie said giving him a smile before walking out of the office.

Harry absorbed himself in his paperwork when another knock sounded at the door. "Hey Neville," He said as his friend poked his head around the door. "Yes I've seen the article and no, Hermione doesn't believe it."

"No one who knows you believes it," Neville said coming into the office and shutting the door behind him. "Can't be any fun to have to go through though."

"It's not, but I'm rather used to it," Harry replied. "I feel for Natalie though. She's getting dragged through the mud and for nothing other than getting assigned to me."

"How come you never took me out for dinner?" Neville asked trying to make his friend laugh. "We were partners for how many years?"

Harry grinned. "Because Cho would have killed me for taking you away from her and the girls? I don't want to face your wife when she's angry."

"That's the same way I feel about your wife," Neville joked.

"So we're two big shot Aurors who are afraid of our wives," Harry laughed.

"Yes," Neville said. "Imagine if that story came out in the papers."

"We'd have to go into hiding," Harry said in mock seriousness.

"Perish the thought," Neville said laughing. "But Cho's already chomping at the bit for Allie and Frankie to come home. It's strange having an empty house."

"Aye I bet it is," Harry replied.

"But you wouldn't know about that," Neville teased. "You've still got two at home. And how is the littlest Potter these days?"

"Crying her little lungs out," Harry said. "But last night Julie took her and Ethan so Hermione and I could have some time alone."

"And you spent the better part of the night out with your new partner?" Neville asked teasingly. When he saw the look on Harry's face, he held up a hand. "Ease up, Harry. Only kidding."

"We made up for it later," Harry said. "I could go into detail just to spite you Longbottom."

"Let's talk about something else," Neville said leaning back in his chair.

Harry grinned. "Like what? The budding romance between our two new Aurors?"

"Tristan and Natalie?" Neville asked in surprise. "He barely says two words to me..."

"Apparently he's been quite comforting to her since this morning," Harry shrugged.

"Really?" Neville asked, shaking his head. "Who would have thought?"

"Why doesn't he talk to you?" Harry was amused.

Neville turned a bit red. "I, um, well...he was sort of there when I was fighting with Cho about Allison. Apparently, Ron and Luna have completely lost their mind and have decided to buy Josh and Jonathan their own flat. So, of course, Allison is all excited about wanting to help him move in this summer. And I was completely against it and I think the conversation got kind of heated and anyway...Tristan is pretty much scared to death of me."

Harry snorted. "Why are you so against Allie dating Jon? He's a good kid Neville."

"He's a great kid," Neville agreed. "When he's not dating my daughter."

"He's Ron and Luna's son," Harry protested.

"You raised a teenage daughter," Neville pointed out. "You remember what it was like."

"Of course I do." Harry said. "But Jon and Allie aren't two idiots running out to shag every five seconds. They're both responsible."

Neville winced. "How about you don't use my daughter's name in the same sentence with the word 'shagging'."

"I'm sorry," Harry apologised. "But you should be glad it's Jon and not some idiot bloke off the street that she wants to be with."

"You're right," Neville said. "That's what Cho keeps trying to tell me." Eager to talk about something else, Neville looked at the stack of paperwork on Harry's desk. "Looks like you're in for loads of fun today."

"I'm only taking care of a few of these things today," Harry replied. "I promised Hermione I'd come home early so we could take Saffy for a walk."

"Well, I'll leave you to it then," Neville said standing up. "Give Hermione my best."

"I will." Harry said. "And be nice to Jon aye? You know as well as I do that he treats Allie like gold."

"I'll try and remember that," Neville said. "See you later."

"Bye Nev." Harry answered.

Shortly after one, Harry returned home relieved to see his wife and daughter in the sitting room. Hermione was singing to their daughter who was looking up at her mother with shining eyes.

Hermione smiled at Harry as he came toward them. "Look," she said pointing to Harry. "It's Daddy."

Saffron's eyes moved towards him and widened, making Harry laugh. "How are two of my favourite girls in the world?" he asked, picking his baby up and kissing her forehead.

"I was just getting her ready for our walk," Hermione said smiling at him. "She's looking forward to it. She's not cried all morning."

"Who's been a good girl for her mummy?" Harry asked in a goofy voice.

Hermione laughed. "Ethan's still with Nick. They've gone flying."

"He's not going to want to come home is he?" Harry grinned.

"No," Hermione said grinning as Saffron grabbed hold of Harry's fringe.

"Ow!" Harry tried to pull his hair away. "That hurts Daddy..."

"That's why she does it," Hermione joked.

"She's too little for that," Harry scoffed, grimacing as Saffron clutched a handful of black hair in her little hand. "Do I have a bald spot?"

"No," Hermione giggled. "And you'll be happy to know that Julie said she was a complete angel for them. She slept through the night..."

"Figures," Harry bounced Saffron gently. "You're a good girl for everyone but the people that love you the most." he teased as Saffron cooed back at him.

"I'm just going to go and grab some things in the nursery," Hermione said getting to her feet. "And then we can go on our walk, if that's okay with you?"

"That's fine," Harry said. "I'll put her in the pram."

"Great," Hermione said leaning down and pecking him on the cheek before heading upstairs.

Harry laid Saffron in her little carriage, making goofy faces at her all the while. Sometimes he still couldn’t' believe after all these years that he and Hermione had another baby, but one look at her made any disbelief vanish. "My girl," he whispered, tracing her soft cheek with his finger.

Hermione came down clutching a bag and an extra blanket. "I was thinking we could have a little picnic in the park. It's so nice out."

Harry smiled at her. "I like that idea," he leaned over and gave his wife a kiss. "You look great today."

"Thank you," she said winking at him. "I had a good night's sleep."

"Aye, me too." Harry put his arms around her and gave her an extra tight hug. "Love you so much."

"I know you do," she said softly hugging him back. "And I love you too. You know that I don't believe that rubbish. I believe you."

"I know," Harry said. "We've been through far too much together for them to try and cause a rift now."

"Exactly," Hermione said grinning at him. "So, let's just have a nice day with our daughter. We won't talk about the Daily Prophet or work or anything like cousins who are going to be staying with us for awhile..."

She gave him a slight smile as she started to push the pram, but Harry put a hand on her arm. She knew he wouldn't have let that last part go unnoticed.

"Want to repeat that last bit?" he asked.

"What last bit?" Hermione asked innocently.

"Lavender's staying with us?" Harry raised an eyebrow.

"For a few days," Hermione said. "She really does feel bad about this morning, Harry. And Seamus is going to be away filming. She promised me that we won't even notice she's here."

Harry seemed unconvinced. "As long as I don't have to hear about this article and how I'm the cheating type." he replied.

"She knows you're not," Hermione said. "Come on, Harry. Let's forget about Lavender today. It's just you and me and Saffy."

"Right," Harry said, taking over the pram and pushing it out the door.

"Do you think maybe we should go to a Muggle park?" Hermione asked. They had wards around the estate to prevent intruders, but they were about to leave the comfort of safety of their home.

"Maybe," Harry said. "Hyde Park might be a bit crowded though."

"True," Hermione said. "How about we walk along the square? There's that Muggle park a couple of streets over. It shouldn't be too crowded, I don't think."

"All right," Harry agreed, setting the pram down the pavement. "I'm glad you suggested this," he said to his wife.

"Me too," Hermione said. She peered into the pram at Saffron who was happily cooing away. "And I think she likes it too."

"Aye," Harry grinned. "She looks so much like you Hermione."

"I actually cried when Lavender and I went to pick her up," Hermione said her cheeks turning pink. "I just didn't realise how much I'd missed her, you know?"

Harry grinned. "That's understandable," he said.

"Julie, Nick and Ethan all had a big laugh at that," Hermione said putting her head in her hands. "I can't help it!"

"Just wait till Jules has her first baby and we take it for a night." Harry said. "She'll be the same way."

"You ready to be a Grandpa, Old Man?" Hermione teased, patting his middle.

"Not quite yet," Harry laughed. "I hope she doesn't have a baby at least until she's married."

Hermione nodded and was relieved to see that the small Muggle park wasn't very crowded at all. There were a couple of boys playing football and a few couples sitting on blankets. She couldn't think of any place she'd rather be than right here.

"This is nice," Harry said as Hermione spread the blanket and he took Saffron out of the pram.

Hermione smiled as she remembered how they used to take Julie out like this when she was a baby. Life was so much simpler then, Hermione thought. She hoped that she and Harry could take time like this away for themselves and their children more often.

Harry leaned back and took a deep breath, enjoying the fresh air. "I could stay here all day."

"Me too," Hermione said reaching into the bag and pulling out a bottle for the baby. She'd put a warming charm on it before they'd left the house. "Care to do the honours?"

"Sure," Harry sat up and began to feed his daughter. Saffron sucked greedily on the bottle as she stared up at her parents.

While Harry did that, Hermione set about unpacking their own picnic. She'd brought some juice along with some cheese and crackers. For a split second, she wished she'd thought to bring along some of the leftover lasagne, but she figured they'd eat that with Ethan tonight.

"Good choice love," Harry said with a grin. "You're the best you know that?"

"I was just thinking the same about you," she said smiling back at him. "I feel like last night was a real turning point for us."

"I think it was just nice to be alone again." he replied. "Makes me think of those old days in the cottage when it was just the two of us."

"Seems like ages ago," Hermione said softly. "I miss that old cottage. It was the first place we had that was ours---together."

"I know," Harry said. "I wonder if it'll ever go up for sale again..."

Hermione started to respond when a bright flash nearly blinded her.

Harry also blinked as another bright flash popped in his face. "What the hell!" he barked.

The bottle dropped from his hands and Saffron started to wail at the top of her lungs.

"Is this all for show?" an older gentleman asked as his cohort snapped more pictures.

"Who the hell are you?" Hermione got up as Harry turned his back to shield Saffron from view.

"Stanford Browne," the older gentleman said. "Daily Prophet reporter. Mrs. Potter, how did you feel once you found out about your husband's infidelity?"

Saffron kept crying and nothing Harry did could soothe her. Of course, it didn't help that the photographer kept snapping pictures of them. They were also starting to attract attention from the other park patrons.

"No comment," Hermione said tersely.

"Mr. Potter," the reporter said. "Is it true you're going for this woman that looks like your wife did when you were both younger? What does this new woman think of becoming a stepmother to your three children?" he awaited Harry's response with an eager face.

"Get out of my face," Harry said through clenched teeth.

Hermione took a still crying Saffron from him. "It's okay, baby. Mummy's here. Mummy's here."

"We don't allow pictures of our children," Harry snapped viciously.

Stanford rolled his eyes. "Blah, blah, blah. Just give us a comment or two and we'll gladly leave you alone..."

"We have no comment," Harry lunged for the camera and ripped the film out.

The photographer let out a string of expletives as Harry threw the film back in his face.

"Let's just go," Hermione said patting Saffron's back. "Come on, Harry."

Stanford laughed and nudged the photographer. "I guess we know who wears the trousers in that family..."

Harry turned and grabbed the other man by the shirt collar. "You'd best forget that you met us today," he said angrily, his eyes almost glowing. "You and that filthy rag of a paper you write for."

Stanford felt very afraid. He knew that this wizard was very capable of murder---he'd done it before. If only he hadn't promised the Malfoys he'd do what he could to provoke the Potters, he thought to himself. But, this wasn't worth losing his life over.

"You'll forget you met us today," Harry repeated through clenched teeth. "And if this comes up in the paper I'll come make you eat it."

"Y-yes sir," Stanford said struggling to catch his breath once Harry let him go.

Harry snarled as Hermione put Saffron back in the pram. He purposely stepped on the discarded film, grinding it into the dirt with his trainer.

The two men beat a quick retreat and Hermione looked over at her husband who looked about as angry as she could ever remember seeing him.

"We can't even go to the bloody park," she said angrily.

"I know," Harry was still seething.

Hermione moved the pram back and forth trying to calm Saffron who was still crying but not as loud.

"Shhhh, sweetheart...mummy and daddy are here. It's okay."

Harry stroked his baby's head. "I swear if I keep this up I'll have their heads." he tried to calm down.

"How did they know we were here?" Hermione asked, shaking her head.

"They must have been following us," Harry grumbled as he picked up their blanket. "Probably staked out the bloody house."

Hermione put a hand on his shoulder. "Hey, Harry. We're okay."

"I know," Harry glared in the direction that the reporters had disappeared in.

"Let's just get Saffy home," she said quietly.

"Right," Harry took over the pram while Hermione carried the bag with their picnic in it. "We'll do this in our backyard okay? It's not the park but we can push Saffron around and pretend we're somewhere else okay?" he smiled for her sake.

"Sure," Hermione said, thinking that they should have done that to begin with.

Harry put an arm around her while guiding the pram with his other hand. "I'm sorry they keep targeting you," he said softly.

"It's not your fault," Hermione told him. "You know that, right? And if I was afraid of some nosy reporters, I doubt you and I would have lasted as long as we have."

"Tell me about it," Harry pulled her closer. "And why would I want to trade up when I have the best thing right here?"

"Good answer," Hermione said softly. "I never asked...how is poor Natalie taking all of this?"

"She was pretty upset this morning," Harry replied. "Her arse of an ex boyfriend owled her a nasty letter about it as well."

"I hope that this all blows over soon," Hermione said. "For everyone's sake."

"Me too," Harry replied. "Me too..."

6. Fathers & Sons

Authors’ note: Thanks for reading and reviewing! We do want to address one thing. This story is really a series of storylines involving the different characters over different periods of time. Some will last only a chapter but others will carry out over a few chapters. This Malfoy storyline is one that will play out over a number of chapters. But you will also get to see some of the Potter, Weasley and Malfoy sproglets as they grow up and fall in love and start their own families. So, in a way, this story “Last Dance” will never really end. We’re adding to it as we go along. And this will be longer than Time of Their Life. Sorry for the long note, but we both wanted to clear up the confusion. We hope you enjoy this latest chapter!

CHAPTER SIX

Lucius looked on in satisfaction as the Potters stormed away. "Perfect," he said snidely.

"I'm glad they finally showed up," Draco said. "If I had to watch their sickeningly sweet family scene for one more minute..."

Lucius snarled. "Quite disgusting."

"And in a Muggle park, too," Draco said shuddering. "The Minister shouldn't be here."

"She is a Mudblood," Lucius said as they left their spot.

"Don't remind me," Draco said. "Too bad Potter ruined the film though..."

"Good thing we have backup," Lucius said, an evil glint in his eye as he held up his own camera.

Draco had to admit his father had thought of everything. He was still quite wary around his father and wasn't entirely sure he could trust him, but Lucius did know what he was doing. No one did revenge like a Malfoy.

"You have much to learn Draco," Lucius said coolly.

Draco rolled his eyes. "You act as if I'm some incompetent riding your coattails, Father. I've given you respect. I wish you would do the same for me...and my wife."

"Your wife is nothing but a fortune hunter." Lucius retorted.

"I wish you and Mother would ease up on Ginny," Draco said. "Whenever I come home, she complains non-stop about something you said or mother did..."

"IF she can prove herself as a Malfoy," Lucius said coolly. "We would accept her."

"What would you have her do?" Draco asked him. "Kill someone? Steal?"

"She needs to get the Weasley out of her," Lucius snapped.

"She's going to be the next Minister's wife," Draco said glaring at his father.

"We'll see how she does," Lucius said noncommittally.

"I start work at St. Mungos tomorrow," Draco said wanting to change the subject. "The paper's supposed to make the announcement tomorrow...right along with the latest article on Potter and Minister Mudblood."

"Good." Lucius nodded. "Let's get these to the Prophet. Those idiots should be paying us for this not the other way around."

Draco nodded. "Too right."

"While you're working in St Mungos," Lucius began. "You're to find out as much as about that Mudblood as you can. Any sicknesses we can expose, or anything she's tried to keep hidden."

"Right," Draco said thoughtfully. "Apparently, he had trouble knocking her up after they had their first brat."

Lucius grinned wickedly. "Good." he said. "Brilliant."

"You could also look into that Gordon Devereaux incident a few years back," Draco suggested.

"Why does that name sound familiar?" Lucius mused.

"He was some mad lunatic who had it bad for the Mudblood," Draco said with as shrug. "Kidnapped her and had some crazy plan to take her away and use some binding spell on her. Too bad he didn't succeed, right?"

Lucius nodded slowly. "We'll have them make it sound like she led the bloke on and then turned on him in the last moment."

"And he's locked away in the psych ward at St. Mungos," Draco said thinking aloud. "We could try and get some things out of him."

Lucius nodded approvingly. "You do have it in you," he said proudly.

Draco had never seen his father look at him that way. "Thank you, Father."

"Don't disappoint me," Lucius continued.

"I have no intentions to do so," Draco said. "I want this more than anything I've ever wanted in my life."

"I just want to see the Malfoy name rise to where it was," Lucius said coldly.

"Back on top," Draco said. "Where we belong."

"Right." Lucius replied. "And we'll stay there. And if that ingrate of a son of yours tries to crawl back in--"

"I thought you wanted him back in the fold," Draco said raising an eyebrow at him. "I thought that was one of the reasons you wanted to do this."

"Draco, if the boy never cared, why should I?" Lucius raised an eyebrow back at him.

"So Mother is the one that wants him back?" Draco asked him.

"He will not be welcomed back," Lucius snapped.

"What if I want him back?" Draco challenged.

"Do you?" Lucius stopped and faced his son. "Do you really want a boy that can easily turn his back and destroy everything we're working for? Look how he left you and your wife before. What makes you think he wouldn't do it again Draco?"

"I don't want him with a Potter, that's for damn sure!" Draco shot back. "Do you?"

"He means nothing to me," Lucius said, his eyes glittering dangerously. "He is already one of them."

"Does Mother know you feel that way?" Draco asked. If there was one thing his wife and mother had in common was their wish to have Nick back. Ginny talked a good game about Nick being ungrateful, but he knew that she still held out hope that he'd return to the family.

"Yes," Lucius nodded. "She does."

"And you've just agreed to disagree on that?" Draco asked in disbelief.

"She knows where I stand, and she will not try to cross me." Lucius answered confidently.

Draco wondered if he knew something his father didn't know. Every single chance Narcissa got, she told Draco about how Nicholas belonged with them.

"So while I'm working at St. Mungos what are you going to do?" Draco asked.

"I'm going to be working behind the scenes to bring the Potters down," Lucius rolled his eyes as if Draco were five years old and asking stupid questions.

Draco wondered about what sorts of things his father would be doing, but decided not to ask. His father's short fuse certainly hadn't been tamed by his time in Azkaban.

"Let's go and get that film to the Prophet," Draco said. "Then I need to get home to Ginny."

Lucius nodded. "Keep her in line Draco." he said.

Draco nodded and followed his father, but wondered if it wasn't Ginny who he had to keep in line.

*** *** ***

Ginny took a deep breath and silently counted to ten. For the past two hours, she and her mother-in-law had been in and of boutiques trying on new dress robes. Ginny resisted every single one of Narcissa's suggestions and if she wasn't so damn afraid of her father-in-law, she'd tell this horrible woman off and think nothing of it.

"This one is nice," Narcissa said holding up a black dress robe with pearl beading on the collar. "You should try it on."

"I don't like black," Ginny said tightly. "And I don't like pearls either. I prefer diamonds."

Narcissa sighed. "You're not making this easy, Ginevra."

"I have my own style," Ginny argued. "I wear what I like, and I actually like colours."

"Black is actually very slimming," Narcissa said pointedly looking Ginny up and down.

Ginny felt her face burn. "Are you implying that I'm NOT slim?" she asked, her brown eyes bright with anger.

"No," Narcissa said innocently. "I wasn't implying anything, dear. I thought I was being perfectly clear."

"I can shop for myself," Ginny snapped, turning away and huffing as she stomped out of the dress shoppe.

Meanwhile Greta was taking Ethan for a shopping trip to buy the young boy some new dress robes. Ethan detested shopping, but Greta promised him chocolate biscuits if he went with her.

"I know you would have liked to have gone with your dad, but..." Greta's voice trailed off as she recalled that horrible article in the newspaper.

"He had to spend time with Mum," Ethan replied. "Yeah I know."

Greta nodded. "And you want to look your best for Chiaki's wedding since you are in the wedding party."

"With Maddie," Ethan made a face.

Greta laughed. "Ethan, Madeline is a lovely little girl."

"Not to me she isn't," Ethan argued.

Greta tousled his hair. "You'll change your mind one day."

"No way," Ethan said vehemently. "I'm never getting married."

"Okay little man," Greta said stifling a laugh. "Let's get you sorted with some dress robes."

"Okay," Ethan said. "And we don't have to do any other shopping than that right?"

"No," she said laughing. "We don't have to do any other shopping."

"Good," Ethan said in relief. "Cause I really want those chocolate biscuits."

Greta smiled down at him. She led Ethan into Gladrags Wizardwear and saw that the shop was quite crowded. Greta sighed as she heard some of the customers speculating on the Potters' marriage. She just hoped that Ethan didn't hear.

"I want green robes," Ethan said. "Like my dad's."

"I think that can be arranged," Greta said starting to follow him toward the children's section. "You, my boy, are definitely your father's son."

"That's a good thing," Ethan grinned at her. "My dad's cool."

"Yes he is," Greta said. She was very happy working for the Potters and had come to love their children like her own.

"What about these?" Ethan pulled out a pair and grimaced when he saw the lacy collar. "Never mind." he shoved them quickly back in the rack.

Greta laughed and started browsing through the rack. She came along a pair of green dress robes that looked very much like the ones Mr. Potter was planning to wear for the wedding.

"How about these?" she asked Ethan, holding them up.

"Hey!" Ethan's eyes brightened. "Those are cool!"

"Why don't you go and try them on?" Greta said handing him the robes. "The dressing rooms are in the back."

"Okay," Ethan said. "I'll come out so you can see them."

Greta smiled and watched him head off to the dressing rooms. She decided to pick out a few other robes in case the green ones didn't fit.

"Your mothering skills left something to be desired," Greta heard a familiar voice say a few rows over. She peered over one of the racks and saw Ginny Malfoy and Narcissa Malfoy engaged in a rather heated conversation.

"MY parenting skills?" Ginny asked Narcissa. "That's a bit like the pot calling the kettle black!"

Greta stifled her gasp of surprise. What on earth was Ginny Malfoy doing here in London?

"At least MY son didn't disown me," Narcissa spat back.

"No," Ginny said sarcastically. "Draco just hasn't had anything to do with you for years."

"I chose to move away to Spain," Narcissa said coldly. "To give him a chance to breathe away from Lucius. And what did he do but take up with YOU! I should have stayed in his life so he wouldn't make such a big mistake!"

Greta hated to eavesdrop, but neither of the two women was bothering to keep their voices down. She couldn't believe the two of them were here of all places---together.

"I'm the best thing that ever happened to him," Ginny said icily. "He tells me that everyday."

"I'm sure he does," Narcissa smirked. "What sort of spell do you have him under? You're nothing but a fortune hunter."

"I don't have him under any spells!" Ginny retorted. "I make your son very happy. We've done just fine without your interference. And you acting like some concerned Grandmother when you don't care one jot about Nicholas..."

Narcissa smiled coolly. "My husband wants revenge and he will get it."

Greta was trying to inch closer to the two women when she felt a tug on her sleeve. She turned around to see Ethan wearing his dress robes and looking up at her.

"What do you think, Greta?" he asked, fiddling with the collar. "It's kind of itchy."

Greta quickly herded him away. "Perhaps we should look elsewhere," she said quietly.

"You promised," Ethan said looking up at her with confused eyes. "You said that we'd not do anymore shopping."

"Yes but we want to find you some nice robes right?" Greta whispered. "I don't want you to have an itchy collar."

"Okay," Ethan said grumpily, heading back to the dressing rooms. He looked over his shoulder at Greta. "But only one more shop and I'm done."

Greta nodded. "And I'll make double the amount of chocolate biscuits for you."

Ethan pumped his fists before disappearing into the dressing room. Greta doubled back to where she'd been standing to check on Ginny and Narcissa, but the two women were no longer there.

"Damn," Greta whispered. She needed to talk to her Nicholas, and she needed to do it fast. He had to know that his parents were in town before they did anything to him.

*** *** ***

Nick let himself into the little house he shared with Julie. It had been a long day and his throat was a bit sore from all the singing he'd done for his new album. He was looking forward to some tea with honey and for his girlfriend to come home, and to a nice quiet evening for the both of them.

He was just going through the post when he heard a knock on the door.

"Nicholas," Greta called out, knocking again. "It's me, Greta."

Nick smiled as he let her in. "To what do I owe this pleasure?" he joked, not noticing the look on her face at first. "Hey little man!" he gave Ethan a high five. "What are you guys doing here?"

Ethan shrugged. "Greta thought we'd stop in and see you before we went home."

Greta smiled weakly at Nick. "I hope we aren't bothering you."

"No I just got in myself." he said. "Can I get you guys anything?"

"Do you still have those muffins you had the other night?" Ethan asked. He looked over at Greta. "I promise I'll only eat one. It won't spoil my supper."

"I think there's a few in there," Nick smiled at him, ruffling his messy black hair. "Go on and help yourself."

"Okay," Ethan said taking off for the kitchen.

Nick looked back at his old nanny. "What's wrong?" he asked.

Greta sat down on the sofa. She explained to her former charge how she'd taken Ethan shopping for dress robes. "And we were having a great time until..."

"Until what?" Nick asked when she hesitated.

"While I was waiting for Ethan to come out of the changing room, I overheard these two women shouting at each other in the shop," Greta replied. She saw the confused look on Nick's face and Greta wished she didn't have to tell him. "It was...it was your mother, Nick. And your grandmother."

Nick stared at her for a moment. "Come again?"

"Your mother and Grandmother Malfoy," Greta said. "They were arguing with each other about---you."

"You have to be mistaken," Nick said slowly. "My mother can't be here and my grandmother... she disappeared years ago."

"I saw them both," Greta told him gently. "With my own two eyes, Nick. I could hardly believe it myself."

"This can't be right..." Nick ran his hands through his hair. "Why the hell would my mother be here in London?"

"I think it might have something to do with this," Greta said reaching for the latest copy of the Daily Prophet on the coffee table.

"I saw that," Nick replied grimly.

"How's Julie taking all of it?" Greta asked.

"She was upset but she knows Harry would never cheat on Hermione," Nick said. "She just wants these damn reporters to leave everyone in her family alone."

"I know," Greta said looking in the direction of the kitchen. "Ethan doesn't know. Harry and Hermione thought it best that they try and shield him from it. But, he goes back to school on Tuesday...."

"I don't know what?" Ethan asked coming out of the kitchen with a half-eaten muffin in his hand.

"Nothing," Nick said quickly.

Ethan looked at the copy of the newspaper in his nanny's lap. Greta moved to put it away, but Ethan could clearly make out his father's picture on the front page.

"Hey!" Ethan said excitedly. "That's Dad!'

Nick tried to pull it back. "It's just a made up story Ethan," he said, thinking fast.

"That's my Dad!" Ethan said dropping the muffin on the floor. "I want to see it!"

"Ethan pick that up," Greta chastised gently.

"No," Ethan said angrily. "Not until I see what's in that paper!"

"It's nothing," Nick crumpled the paper up and tossed it into the fireplace. "Trust me Ethan, it's just junk."

"This is why Mum and Dad wanted you to take me out of the house," Ethan said looking accusingly at Greta. "They're hiding something from me, aren't they?"

"No they're not," Greta replied. "You needed dress robes love."

Ethan stared at her. "You're lying to me, too."

"Ethan Greta doesn't lie," Nick said in her defence. "That was just a picture and a dumb article, I swear that's all."

"What did it say?" Ethan asked curiously. When neither Greta nor Nick answered him, Ethan bolted for the door.

"Hey where are you going?" Nick asked, racing behind him. "Ethan you can't go out running around by yourself you know that."

Ethan groaned when Nick caught his arm. "I want to know what that article said!'

"How about you ask your parents?" Nick suggested, hoping he wasn't risking Harry's wrath by saying this.

Ethan looked at Greta. "Can we go home now? So I can ask them?"

"Give us a few minutes to talk Ethan," Nick said. "Please?"

"Fine," Ethan said grumpily. He cleaned up the mess he'd made and mumbled something about going into the backyard to wait for Greta.

"So you're positive it was them?" Nick asked anxiously.

"Yes," Greta said. "I haven't mentioned it to anyone else. I thought you should be the first to know."

Nick sighed. "Damn it..."

"And you do realise your grandfather is out of prison as well," Greta said worriedly.

"They've got to be planning something," Nick bit his lower lip.

"Most definitely," Greta agreed. "But what?'

"That's the bad part," Nick said. "Who knows- anything goes with them. They probably had something to do with that." he pointed to the paper still sitting in the fireplace.

"Probably," Greta said. She sighed heavily. "Just when we thought we were free of them..."

"They have an uncanny way of showing back up," Nick finished. "Thanks for letting me know Greta."

"You're welcome," Greta said giving him a hug. "I should probably get Ethan home. I'm sure he has a number of questions."

Nick nodded and the two of them went to retrieve Ethan, but he was nowhere to be found.

"Ethan!" Greta called out, trying not to get worried. Ethan was always going off and hiding somewhere. She hoped this was one of those times. "Ethan!"

"Ethan come on!" Nick shouted, grimacing at the strain on his throat.

Greta saw some crumpled up paper by the big oak tree and frowned when she saw it was another copy of the Daily Prophet.

"Nick!" she asked picking it up. "Ethan saw this!"

"Shit," Nick sighed. "He probably went home... but we're all the way in Guilford!"

"What if he didn't go home?" Greta asked panic-stricken. "He's not going to understand about this, Nick. He looks up to his father...."

"He couldn’t' have gotten far," Nick frowned. "Come on, let's go look for him,.

Greta nodded. Nearly a half hour later, she and Nick had not found Ethan and Greta was starting to really worry. They'd checked with all of Nick and Julie's neighbours and no one had seen him.

"We're going to have to tell Harry and Hermione," Greta said.

"Tell my parents what?" Julie had seen them on the pavement and was looking at them in confusion. "What's going on?"

"Now don't panic, Jules," Nick said putting his hands on her shoulders.

She gave him a look. "That's reassuring," she said sarcastically.

"Well," Nick said his voice quite scratchy. "Greta and Ethan stopped by and long story short---he saw that article about your parents. He's run off and we haven't been able to find him."

Julie paled. "Oh no," she moaned.

"Your parents didn't tell him yet," Greta explained. "They were hoping to tell him tonight over dinner. I didn't feel as if it was my place to say..."

"It's okay Greta," Julie said. "But we need to find him."

"I should tell your parents," Greta said as tears welled up in her eyes. "I was looking after him."

Julie wanted to comfort the older woman but finding her brother was topmost on her list of concerns.

"We already went and checked with everyone on the street," Nick explained. "No one's seen him, Jules."

Greta excused herself to floo back to the Potter home. She still held out hope that somehow Ethan had made it home.

"Harry?" Greta called out, trying to sound calm. "Hermione?"

Hermione was in the kitchen, making some tea. Greta could tell she was upset about something and it made her even more nervous.

"Hi Greta," Hermione said, rubbing her temples. "Did you manage to find Ethan some robes?"

"Yes," Greta said weakly. "We did. There's something I should tell you though."

"What is it?" Hermione asked.

A tear fell down Greta's cheek. "It's Ethan, he's...he's disappeared."

Hermione stared at her a moment. "He's what?" she shook her head. "Greta--"

"We stopped by Nick's," Greta said not even bothering to mention the whole Ginny and Narcissa Malfoy connection. None of that mattered now. "He saw a copy of the Daily Prophet. Nick...he and I tried to tell him it was nothing, but he wouldn't believe us. Nick and I were talking and Ethan went in the backyard. He---he somehow got a hold of another copy of the paper...."

Hermione sighed. "I knew we should have told him about it..." she ran to the stairs and called out for her husband.

Harry had been trying for the past hour to take a kip, but so far he hadn't succeeded. He was just getting to his feet when he heard his wife's anguished voice call out for him.

"What else could bloody go wrong today?" he asked aloud as he walked down the stairs.

"Harry," Hermione's lower lip was trembling. "Ethan saw the article at Nick's and he ran off."

Harry was speechless as he looked back and forth between his wife and Greta.

"I'm so sorry, Hermione," Greta was saying over and over. "I'm so very sorry."

"How long has he been gone?" Harry finally managed to ask.

"About fifteen minutes," Greta said shakily. "Maybe twenty."

"I'm going to go look for him," Harry said grabbing his cloak.

"I'm going with you," Hermione said. "Greta, you don't mind staying with Saffy right?" she asked softly.

Greta nodded, feeling quite helpless.

"Thank you," Hermione managed a small smile, letting the woman know that they didn't blame her for Ethan's actions. "We'll be back soon."

"I should have listened to you," Harry said as Hermione grabbed her own cloak. "We should have told him. I just..." He was embarrassed to admit that he didn't want to have to explain this to his son. He didn't even know where to begin.

"Let's just find him first," Hermione said tersely as they left the house and Apparated to Nick and Julie's place in Guilford.

Ethan was shivering on a park bench a couple of streets over from his sister's house. No matter what he did, he couldn't get that image of his father and that girl out of his head. And that paper had said such horrible things about him. The last thing Ethan wanted to believe was that his father was capable of hurting his mum like that.

"All right, Nick and I will go this way," Harry said. "Hermione, you and Jules go that way."

The two couples promised to meet back at the house in about an hour. Harry was silent as he and Nick headed down the street.

"He's probably just hiding," Nick said helpfully. "You know how he loves to do that."

"I know," Harry said shortly. "When I find him I want to throttle him though. He knows better than to run off like this."

"Go easy on him mate," Nick said. "It couldn't have been easy for the kid to see that."

"No probably not," Harry said, walking even faster. "But he's not a stupid kid. He shouldn't run off- especially when there's people out there who would hurt him without a second thought."

"He probably wasn't thinking about that," Nick said quietly. He decided to stay silent about how he felt Harry should have told Ethan about this straightaway.

"Obviously," Harry said, calling out his son's name.

Nick saw a couple of blokes he recognised from the neighbourhood pub. He gave them a brief description of Ethan.

"I saw a kid in the park a few minutes ago," one of the men said. "He looked a little upset."

"Thanks mate," Nick said. "I appreciate that!" he and Harry dashed away.

Ethan shivered as he hugged his knees to his chest. Now that the sun was going down, the air was much cooler. He had no idea where he could go. He certainly didn't want to go home.

"Ethan!" Harry shouted as they arrived at the park and saw the little huddled figure on the bench.

Ethan turned to see his father and Nick approaching him. Ethan quickly got to his feet and started to walk away.

"You wait just a minute young man," Harry said angrily. "What the hell do you think you're doing, running off like that?"

"Let me go!" Ethan said struggling to get out of his father's grasp. "Let me go!"

"You're going home," Harry said, ignoring his son's words. "And you're grounded as well."

"I don't want to talk to you," Ethan said angrily. "I want to see Mum."

"You'll see her," Harry said grimly, keeping a hand firmly on Ethan's shoulder. "And if you're lucky she won't punish you too. Do you have any idea the worry you've caused? You had Greta nearly out of her mind when you weren't in the backyard where you said you'd be!"

"You're a liar!" Ethan spat back at him. "You hurt mum, Julie and Saffy and me. I don't ever want to talk to you again!"

Harry stared at him for a moment. "Back to the house," he snapped. "Right now." his tone left no room for arguments.

Ethan was silent as he walked back to the house with Nick and Harry.

"I didn't mean to make you worry, Nick," Ethan apologised, pointedly leaving his father out. "Or my sister. Or Greta. Or Mum."

"It really wasn't good to run off," Nick chose his words carefully. "And I told you that article was nothing but junk."

"Did HE tell you that?" Ethan said glaring up at his father.

"I said enough!" Harry glared at his son furiously.

Ethan scowled at him, but didn't say a word as they quickly made their way back to the house. Ethan caught sight of his mother and Julie down the street and breaking free from his father's grip, he ran toward his mother.

"Ethan James!" Hermione said throwing her arms around him. "You had me so worried, sweetheart!"

"I'm sorry Mum," Ethan said, hugging her tightly. "I'm sorry for everything."

"What on earth possessed you to run off Ethan?" Julie asked, also giving him a hug.

Ethan didn't answer her. He looked up at his mother. "It's okay, Mum. We don't need Dad. I'll take care of you and Saffy."

Confusion crossed Hermione's face. "I think we'd better take this inside," she said, seeing the smoke practically coming out of her husband's ears.

"He's grounded to his room for a week," Harry said as Julie unlocked the door. "And not only that, he's grounded from flying for two weeks."

"Harry," Hermione said looking at him. "That's a bit harsh, don't you think?"

"For running off and not telling anyone? No I don't think that's harsh." Harry snapped. "Now you explain yourself Ethan James."

Nick and Julie excused themselves as they promised to let Greta know that Ethan was safe.

"I don't want to talk to you," Ethan said grumpily, huddling up beside his mother.

"You have no choice in this matter," Harry's eyes were dark with anger. "Explain yourself, NOW."

"I read that article," Ethan said quietly. "I saw that picture!"

Hermione sighed. "Ethan sweetheart... that article wasn't true. That girl you saw was your dad's trainee in the Auror program. They were out for a business dinner last night while you were here."

"But that's not what the paper said," Ethan argued. "They said Dad traded you in for a younger girl!"

"The paper wasn't telling the truth Ethan," Harry calmed himself down. "I'd never leave your Mum, or you, or Julie or Saffy."

"You're lying," Ethan said not wanting to believe him.

"Why would I lie to you Ethan?" Harry asked, moving next to his son.

"I don’t know," Ethan said quietly.

"Sometimes," Hermione began. "Since your dad and I are both high profile people, the newspapers like to make up stories about us."

"Why?" Ethan asked.

"I wish I knew," Hermione said putting her arm around him. "But it doesn't matter what those papers say. Your father loves us very much. You know that he would never do anything to hurt us."

Ethan nodded. "I'm sorry Dad," he said. "I was just really upset when I saw that picture of you and the girl."

"So was I," Harry said giving his son a slight smile.

Ethan reached over and hugged his father hard. "I'm really sorry..." he said again.

"Me too," Harry said hugging him back. "We should have told you about it this morning."

"Promise me next time you'll tell me when there's another article?" Ethan asked.

"We promise," Harry said. He looked at his son. "When you go back to school on Tuesday, I'm sure that you'll hear about this from some of the other kids. I wish you didn't have to, Ethan, but chances are you probably will."

"I'll just tell them it's a big lie," Ethan said determinedly.

"That's my boy," Hermione said giving him a hug.

"You're still grounded," Harry said. "Running off like you did is a very dangerous thing to do."

"And you are to apologise to both Nick and Julie," Hermione said. "And to Greta. You scared her half to death, Ethan."

"I know," Ethan bowed his head.

"But I think since you're accepting this without fighting," Harry continued, "That we can lessen your punishment a bit. Only for a week, all right?"

"Okay," Ethan said quietly.

"No flying and no telly," Harry said. "I think that's pretty fair."

"I agree," Hermione said. "Why don't you go see Nick and Julie and then we'll go home."

"Okay, Mum," Ethan said standing up. "I'll be right back."

"Crisis over," Hermione said, sinking back along the sofa cushion. "Merlin, does it ever end though?"

"He's never talked to me like that," Harry said shaking his head. "And I can't remember a time when he ever looked as if he was disappointed in me, Hermione. You were right. We should have told him this morning."

"I usually am right," Hermione retorted with a weak grin. "He's a smart kid Harry- and it's better if he hears things like this from us rather than how he did or from his school chums."

"We should probably tell him about what happened in the park this afternoon," Hermione said quietly. She knew Harry had destroyed the film, but there was no guarantee that there wouldn't be a write up about how he'd lost his temper.

"We'll do that tonight before he goes to bed," Harry nodded.

"For an awful moment there, I thought someone might have taken him from us," Hermione said shuddering. "Like they tried to do with Julie."

"I know," Harry said. "That crossed my mind too..." he got up as Ethan came back into the sitting room. "Ready?"

"Yep," Ethan said. "Julie was cool."

Harry mussed his son's hair. "We'll see if Greta's just as cool." he said.

"I didn't mean to run away," Ethan said quietly. "I'm sorry I made you all worry."

"We know," Hermione replied. "But you need to tell that to Greta."

"You're not going to sack her, are you?" Ethan asked. "None of this was her fault, Dad. It was all me. I acted really cross with her."

"Of course I'm not going to sack her," Harry replied.

Ethan breathed a sigh of relief. "Great."

Harry and Hermione bid a quick goodbye to Nick and Julie, before the three of them Flooed back to their home in London.

Greta had just put Saffron down when she heard voice downstairs. Nick and Julie had told her that Ethan was safe and sound, but she still wanted to see for herself.

"Ethan James!" Greta said as she hugged him to her. "You scared me half to death!"

"I'm sorry Greta," Ethan said in a small voice. "I was really mad about the article."

Greta pulled away so she could look at him. She smiled at him. "It's okay, but don't ever do that again, Ethan. Do you have any idea what it would do to all of us is something happened to you?"

Ethan shook his head, looking down at the floor as he tried not to cry.

Greta hugged him once more. "Its okay, Ethan."

"I'm really sorry," Ethan hugged her back. "I didn't mean to make you all worry."

"I know you didn't," Greta said. She could tell that the Potters wanted a few moments alone with their son and she gave him a peck on the cheek before going into the kitchen to start dinner.

"Why don't you have a seat, Ethan," Hermione said gently. "Something happened this afternoon when your dad and I took your little sister for a walk."

"What happened?" Ethan asked as Harry returned with Saffron in his arms.

"We were in the park a few streets over when a photographer and a reporter came upon us," Hermione said choosing her words carefully.

"Did they ask you about that girl in the paper?"

"Among other things," Hermione said pulling her son close. "You remember last summer when we were at Hillsdale swimming and those people bothered us? It was kind of like that, sweetheart."

"When they were trying to take pictures of me and Seamus threw that guys camera in the water?" Ethan asked.

"That's right," Harry said. "I got pretty angry then, and I got really angry today at those reporters."

"And they're probably going to have something in the paper tomorrow about it," Hermione said.

"Are they going to talk about you and that girl again Dad?" Ethan was confused.

"Probably," Harry replied. "I know this isn't easy to understand, Ethan. Your mum and I don't quite understand it either. But if you have any questions or doubts, you can ask us. Okay?"

Ethan nodded. "Cause you'd never leave Mum," he said. "I was kind of being an idiot wasn't I?" he asked sheepishly.

"You weren't being an idiot," Hermione told him. "You just shouldn't have run off."

"I know, I know." Ethan said. "I just feel really bad now," he said to his father. "Cause after you told me about it, it's like I should have known it wasn't true."

"Well, if you promise never to run off like that again," Harry told his son. "I promise not to hide anything like that from you ever again little man."

"I promise Dad," Ethan agreed.

Saffron grabbed some of Harry's fringe.

"Looks as if your sister is on your side," Hermione said nudging Ethan.

"Ow..." Harry said. "Not again Saffy you're going to pull all my hair out...." he twisted his head. “Hermione you could help me here you know..."

Hermione looked innocently at him. "You know as well as I do if I take her from you, she's going to start crying..."

"No just help me get my hair out of her hand!" Harry said with a grimace.

Hermione laughed as she stood up and walked over to him. She gently pried Saffron's tiny hand from Harry's hair.

Harry groaned as several inky strands were still grasped in her tiny fist. "I'm going to have a bald spot!" he whined.

"Oh you are so vain," Hermione said dismissively. "You're not going to have a bald spot!"

"I'm positive that I'm already thinning now," Harry said, glaring at her. "Just because she doesn't grab YOUR hair--"

"No, but she's really fond of grabbing hold of my locket," Hermione said fingering the chain. "I've had to replace the clasp six times."

"Oh," Harry said a bit sullenly. "Well that's less painful than your hair."

"You're being a right wuss, Dad," Ethan joked. "About your hair, I mean."

"Come here little man, and see how you like it when she yanks on that hair you're so fond of." Harry teased his son.

"I think I'll just go and see if Greta has any of those biscuits she promised me," Ethan said running into the kitchen.

"Now who's the wuss?" Harry called after him.

Hermione laughed as she sat back down. "Okay, I think we've gone through enough for one day, don't you?"

"For one bloody lifetime," Harry said.

Saffron was smiling sweetly up at Harry and he laughed.

"You're laughing because you're going to make Daddy bald aren't you?" he asked her.

She gurgled, making Hermione laugh as well. "She's definitely your girl." she said. "Stops crying the moment you come in the room."

"I don't know about that," Harry said smiling down at his daughter. "She's cried at everything these past couple of weeks."

"She's not crying now," Hermione said in relief. "That's something."

"That it is," Harry said kissing Saffron's forehead. "I'd do anything to protect them, Hermione. Saffy. Julie. Ethan. You."

"I know you would Harry," Hermione leaned over to kiss him. "This isn't going to tear us apart. There's no way we'd let it."

"Right," he said nodding. "Ethan was right, Hermione. I'd never leave you."

"As if I'd ever let you," Hermione chuckled. "You're stuck with me, from the moment you asked me to dance at Hillsdale."

"The best decision I ever made," Harry said smiling at her.

"That's right," Hermione laughed. "To this day."

*** *** ***

"It's bad enough that we have to live with those horrible people you call parents, but now I'm expected to entertain your mother during the day," Ginny complained to Draco as they made their way upstairs to their bedroom. Narcissa and Lucius had retired for the evening nearly an hour ago. "She had the nerve to call me fat!"

"I'm sure she didn't mean it that way," Draco tried to appease her.

"Oh the bloody cow most definitely meant it," Ginny hissed as they entered their bedroom. "As if I'd want to look anything like her!"

"Gin," Draco said. "You look fine the way you are. You're gorgeous."

"Thank you," Ginny said happy to hear some praise from him. "I just wish you'd say something to your mother. Or at least let her know that it's not my job to keep her occupied during the day while you and your father are up to Merlin knows what."

"I'll say something tomorrow morning," Draco promised.

"You start your new job tomorrow," Ginny reminded him.

"I'm sure I'll see her," Draco said, getting into his silken pyjama bottoms. "Why don't you come visit me and we'll have lunch together?"

"I'd like that," Ginny said smiling at him. Talking about his new job reminded her that he would be running into some of their old classmates from Hogwarts---namely his ex-girlfriend, Pansy Parkinson. "So, are you looking forward to it? St. Mungos, I mean."

"I suppose," Draco stretched out on the bed. "I mean, it's bigger than the hospital back in Sydney, but there I had my status. Here I have to work it back up."

"You won't have any trouble with that," Ginny said smiling at him. "You're the best."

"I think so too," he agreed. "And I have the best wife. You know I wouldn't have come if you weren't here with me."

Ginny sat down beside him on the bed. "I'll admit I was against this at first. And I'm still not crazy about your folks being part of the deal, but I think you're going to be a great Minister."

"It so happens that I think you'll make a great Minister's wife," Draco grinned as she slid into some skimpy lingerie.

"Try telling that to your mum and dad," Ginny said coming back over to join him on the bed.

"They'll accept it because they have to," Draco said, reaching for her.

"Exactly," Ginny said before kissing him.

He shifted her over so she was straddling him. "You are most definitely not fat," he said, sliding his hands over her slender hips.

Ginny thought for a moment about putting a silencing charm on the room, but she didn't care if her in-laws could hear them. In fact, she hoped they could.

"You are the most gorgeous woman I have ever seen," he said, touching his lips to her neck as his fingers wove themselves into her long red hair.

Draco knew that she loved it when he did that.

"Mmmm," she purred.

He loved hearing that sound and it never failed to turn him on. "Louder," he demanded.

"Mmmmmmm," she purred, obeying his command. "Just as long as you keep doing...that."

His tongue flicked out against her skin as he practically ripped the lingerie off.

Ginny gasped into his mouth as he kissed her hard on the lips.

He knew he was being rough, but he also knew Ginny enjoyed raucous lovemaking. "Have you been a good girl?" he asked in a low, seductive voice.

"I have," she said huskily. "I'm always a good girl."

"Good girls always get a reward," Draco said, flipping over so she was underneath him. "Does this girl want her reward?"

"Yes," Ginny said looking up at him. "She does."

"She needs to help her husband out of his trousers first," Draco's grey eyes glinted in the dim light.

Ginny smiled as she pulled down Draco's pyjama bottoms. "That's much better, isn't it?'

"Definitely," his voice was low. "Get back here," he said his tone mischievous.

"Whatever are you going to do with me?" she asked him.

With one swift, experienced move, Draco pulled his wife underneath him and slid inside her. "That," he said as she moaned loudly in satisfaction.

"Don't ever stop doing that," Ginny commanded.

"Not as long as you want it," Draco said savagely, beginning to move with her.

Ginny dug her fingernails into Draco's back as he pressed deeper inside her.

Draco let out a strangled groan as Ginny tightened herself around him. "Do you know what you do to me woman?" he asked through clenched teeth.

"I think I have some idea," she whispered.

Draco didn't seem to care either as they both were as loud as they wanted to be despite the fact that Lucius and Narcissa were nearby.

"You're going to be completely knackered tomorrow," Ginny said a few minutes later. "Not a great way to start your new job....Healer Malfoy."

"I'll manage," Draco said as he rolled off to her side.

"You always do love," Ginny said softly.

"I do love you," Draco ran the back of his hand over her cheek. "Best decision I ever made was to marry you, you know."

Ginny leaned over and kissed him. "You can be quite sweet when you want to be."

"Don't let anyone know," he teased her.

"Your secret is safe with me," Ginny told him with a laugh.

Draco let out a content sigh as she curled into his side. He let his fingers sift through her hair. "Gin..." he said softly.

"Yes?" she asked sleepily.

"What if..." he began. "What if this all doesn't work?"

She wasn't used to hearing him sound so hesitant; so insecure. "Draco, that's your father talking. You know that you're going to be the next Minister for Magic. Everything you've always wanted, you'll have. Just because Lucius doesn't think you can do it, doesn't matter. He's crazy. You and I both know that."

"I know that better than anyone." Draco said. "I'm more concerned I suppose about if this DOES work out. He'll do something to try and overthrow me. He wants total control."

"He's certainly capable of it," Ginny said squeezing his hand. "But by then you'll be Minister. You can throw him back into Azkaban if you want."

Draco chuckled. "There's an idea. And I bet you'd like to throw my mother there right along with him."

"I'm sure we could find something to charge her with," Ginny said giggling.

"Slander?" Draco teased.

"Guilty," Ginny said smiling at him. "Lock her up and throw away the key."

"I guess when it comes down to it," Draco said. "I really can only depend on you Red."

"We have each other," Ginny said spooning with her husband. She closed her eyes. "That's all we need, Draco."

"Right," he said. "I trust you."

"And I trust you," Ginny whispered. "Good night my love."

"Night Red," Draco gave her one last kiss before she fell asleep. He stayed awake a little while longer just looking at her and thinking about what the future might hold for him.

7. Chapter 7

A/N: A lot of you guys want this whole Malfoy part to be over with- it’s still got a bit of distance to go but trust us when we say it’s not even close to half of what this fic is. And there’s plenty of sweet moments in there to offset the angst and controversy that the Malfoys are causing. We also have a few twists in there that we hope will be at least somewhat unpredictable ;)

As always, please take a moment after reading to let us know what you think of the story! Thank you and enjoy!!!

*** *** ***

The next morning, Hermione awoke feeling unusually well rested. She was happy to see that Saffron had slept through the night for a change and had her downstairs, all dressed when Harry came down in his Auror robes.

"Morning," he smiled at his wife and gave her a kiss and then pressed his lips to Saffron's forehead.

"Good morning," Hermione said smiling at him. "Did you sleep well?"

"Aye," Harry said. "I spooned with a gorgeous brunette all night."

Hermione laughed and walked into the kitchen to get Saffron a bottle. Greta was already busily preparing breakfast.

"Good morning, Harry, Hermione," she said warmly. "There's fresh juice and French toast."

"You're the best Greta," Harry said. "Your French toast is better than mine." he poured himself some coffee.

Greta laughed. "Yours is pretty good too, Harry. Ethan raves about it all the time."

"Where is the little bugger this morning?" Hermione said as she sat down with Saffron.

"Probably still out like a light," Harry said. "You know how he loves to sleep in."

"And he had a rough day yesterday," Greta said with a slight frown. She looked at the morning's newspaper on the counter. She'd looked at it over her own breakfast this morning and if anything it was nearly as bad as that first article. "Did you want to see today's paper, Harry?"

Harry shook his head. "I ruined their film, but I suspected they'd write something about me losing my temper."

"That was what it was mainly about," Greta said setting a plate of French toast down on the table. She looked at Hermione. "But they also said some terrible things about you, Minister. They...they said that you were busy staging picnics in the park with your husband to offset his so-called adultery and neglecting your duties as Minister."

Hermione shook her head in disgust. "I'll owl Luna or her father and see if they can run a counter article in the Quibbler." she said, refusing to get angry over this.

"The damage has already been done," Harry said angrily. "Why can't they just leave us alone?"

"Because we react," Hermione said. "That's why. They enjoy this and it sells papers Harry."

"There's something else," Greta said. "I know you said that you'd destroyed that photographer's film, but they did have pictures."

"What?" Harry asked, grabbing the paper. "How the hell--" his face grew taut as he glared down at the photos.

Curiosity got the better of Hermione and she stood up with Saffron and looked over Harry's shoulder. Photograph Harry grabbed hold of the reporter’s collar and the angle of the shot made it look much worse than it actually was.

"This was taken from a completely different angle," she commented. "They must have suspected that you'd destroy the film so they had a backup photographer hiding out somewhere."

"Someone obviously covered all of their bases," Harry said throwing the paper down.

"Aye," Hermione said softly. She sat down and sighed. "I'm going to have to forego the rest of my maternity leave."

Harry shook his head. "No, Hermione. You still have a few weeks."

"Harry I can't afford to wait." she replied, tipping the bottle up as Saffron drank hungrily. "I don't want to go, but I need to be there to quell these rumours."

Harry knew there was no talking her out of this, but he didn't have to like it. She deserved this time and thanks to some ambitious reporters, she was going to have to give that up. It wasn't fair.

Ethan walked into the kitchen, still clad in his pyjamas. "Greta you made French toast!"

"I did little man," Greta forced a smile onto her face. "Just the way you like it."

Ethan could tell something was wrong. "There was something else in the paper, wasn't there?"

"There was," Harry said, pulling Ethan over to sit by him. "Shows a picture of your old man losing his temper."

"Can I see it?" Ethan asked.

Harry looked at Hermione, who nodded. "Sure." he pushed the paper in front of him.

Ethan picked up the paper and began to read.

"You look really angry, Dad," he said a few moments later. "I mean----really, really angry. But you were just trying to protect Mum and Saffy."

"That's right," Harry said. "You know we don't like it when they take pictures of you three."

Ethan smiled at his father. "Thanks for letting me see it."

Harry nodded. "This might be another thing they give you a hard time about at school." he said. "And your mum has to go back to work now to try and straighten everything out."

Ethan frowned. "Do you have to Mum? I've liked you being here when I wake up and when I get home from school."

"I love it too sweetheart," Hermione said. "And I'll miss it, but I have to go back."

"Okay," Ethan said quietly.

Hermione handed Saffron to Harry and pulled her son to her, crushing him to her in a hug. "I've had so much fun with you the past few months," she said.

"Me too," Ethan said hugging her back. "That's why I don't want you to go back to work."

"Part of me wishes I didn't have to go back too," Hermione kissed the top of his head. "But we'll still have plenty of time to spend together in the evenings, and on the weekends."

Ethan nodded. "And you'll still help me with my homework, right?"

Hermione laughed. "You've got a deal."

"How come you never ask me to help you with your lessons?" Harry asked.

"Because Mum's the smart one," Ethan explained.

Harry stared at him. "I'll have you know I'm not a complete idiot, son. I happen to know a thing or two myself."

"A thing or two," Ethan grinned. "Not everything like Mum does."

"Ethan James," Hermione said giving him a hug. "I love you so much! Your old mum needed to hear that!"

Ethan laughed. "Mum that hurts," he said.

Hermione laughed. "You just wait until your Aunt Lavender gets back. She's going to pinch your little cheeks...you know how she loves to do that."

"Yeah, her and Julie both," Ethan said. "I hate when they do that."

"They can't help it," Hermione said smiling at him. "You're adorable, Ethan."

Harry grinned at his son's expression. "Adorable is good Ethan," he said.

"You're not supposed to call boys adorable, Dad."

Harry laughed as he handed Saffron to Greta. "I'd better get in the office and do the regulatory damage control."

"You're leaving now, Dad?" Ethan asked.

"Have to," Harry replied. "I'll be home tonight though little man."

"I still can't fly, can I?" Ethan asked, knowing the answer, but still wanting to ask anyway.

"Nope," Harry said. "Not for the next week Ethan, you know that."

"Just thought I'd try," Ethan said settling back down at the table to eat his breakfast.

"You wouldn't mind if your wife walked you out, would you?" Hermione asked Harry.

"Of course not," Harry smiled at her. "I'd love it."

Hermione smiled and took his hand as they walked toward the front door.

"This will all blow over," Hermione said softly. "The last thing we need to do is get upset. That's exactly what they want."

"I know," Harry replied. "I'll just have to try and keep my calm when I get in the office. At least this time it didn't target Natalie."

"I hope you give her my best," Hermione said. "And ask her to come by for dinner some night. We'd be happy to have her."

"I'm sure she'd like that," Harry leaned in and kissed her. "I love you."

"I love you too," she said smiling at him. "Now go and save the world..."

Harry laughed. "I'll owl you to see if you're free for lunch all right? Good luck going back to the office."

"Thanks," she said giving him one last kiss.

Harry squeezed her hand before tossing some Floo powder into the fireplace and heading for the office.

*** *** ***

Draco walked into St. Mungos in a cross mood. The article about Potter's temper tantrum took up most of the newspaper. The big article that the Daily Prophet promised to write about Draco's new position at St. Mungos had been buried in the second to last page of today's paper. In fact, Draco thought angrily, it had barely been an article. It had been nothing more than a small blurb.

Even when he's getting bad publicity, Potter always finds a way to steal the show. Lucius wasn't any help this morning. He couldn't understand why Draco was so upset. His point of view was that as long as the Potters were painted in a negative light, it shouldn't matter about anything else. I bet he wouldn't be so dismissive, if they'd run that blurb about him.

"Healer Malfoy," the hospital administrator said smiling nervously at him. Draco could never remember the bloke's name.

"Edward Stevenson," the man reminded him. "I was going to take you to your office. You're on the top floor. Your office is next to Healer Parkinson's."

"Healer who?" Draco asked.

"Pansy Parkinson," Edward said. "She's one of our top healers."

Draco laughed derisively. "You've got to be kidding me."

Edward gave him a confused look. "Healer Parkinson is one of the best. Did you know she actually delivered the Minister's baby?"

"She's an idiot," Draco snapped. "I don't want to be near her."

Edward started to fidget. "Well, it's just that we had no other offices that fit your criteria, Healer Malfoy. And…and it's not as if you'll see her all the time. She's quite busy."

"Is it a corner office at least?" Draco demanded.

"Yes sir," Edward said quickly. "How about I take you upstairs and show you around?"

"Fine," Draco said shortly.

A few minutes later, Edward was leading Draco down the hall toward his new office.

"You have a fully stocked ice box," Edward was saying.

"Good," Draco muttered. "At least something got done right."

"Pardon?" Edward asked.

"Nothing," Draco barked. "Let's go."

Pansy was coming out of her office her arms laden with files when she nearly bumped into Draco and Edward.

"Healer Parkinson," Edward said smiling at her. "You're just in time to welcome our newest hire..."

"You?" Pansy asked as her jaw nearly dropped to the floor.

"Miss me Parkinson?" Draco smirked.

Pansy snorted. "You wish..."

"I'm your new neighbour," Draco said, still smirking. "I'm sure you'd like to help me settle in."

"What?" Pansy asked looking at Edward who seemed quite uncomfortable. "You've got to be kidding me!"

"I work here now," Draco said with an air of superiority. "My wife and I just moved back here."

"I think I'll leave you to it," Edward said excusing himself. Pansy had never seen him move so fast.

"You and your wife?" Pansy asked her nose scrunching up in disgust. "Why on earth would the two of you show your faces around here?"

"Why shouldn't we?" Draco asked, opening the door to his new office.

"That office was supposed to be mine," Pansy said angrily. "There's a little thing called seniority, Draco. But I guess when you pay enough money, things like that don't matter..."

"It's all about expertise Parkinson," Draco said smugly. "It's a simple case of being the better Healer."

"Please," Pansy said. "I wonder what your bedside manner is like. You probably couldn't care less about your patients."

"I've been described as having a firm, efficient manner." Draco said airily.

"But you don't care, do you?" she challenged him. "You've never cared about anyone but yourself."

"I care about my wife," Draco turned and glared at her.

Pansy laughed. "Ah, yes. The only other person on the planet as self-centred as you."

"Don't be jealous Parkinson," Draco decided to ignore her comment.

"I'm not jealous," Pansy said laughing. "I'm very happy with Gregory. And I must say he's a lot better than you in many, many ways. You remember our first time, don't you? You lasted about what...30 seconds, wasn't it?"

"As opposed to your fifteen?" Draco smirked. "And Goyle, there's a big winner."

"Why?" Pansy asked him. "Because he's no longer happy to kiss your arse? He's not one of your henchmen?"

"As fun as this conversation is," Draco said, opening his icebox. "I have things to put away and new patients to see. Of course, if you have problems I'm still willing to help Parkinson."

"Don't hold your breath waiting for me to ask for your help," she said before walking back down the hall.

Draco only sneered again as she turned away. "Stupid bint," he muttered.

Pansy was muttering furiously to herself as she walked away. Draco Malfoy never did anything without a reason. From what she understood, he had a pretty good thing going in Sydney. Why would he come here? She had no idea, but she was going to find out why.

She wondered if she should bother saying anything to Hermione- especially since she'd come to regard the Minister as a good friend since the birth of Saffron. Tossing a pinch of Floo powder into her fireplace, she stuck her head in and called Hermione's name.

"Good morning, Pansy," Hermione said rushing into the sitting room.

"I'm sorry to bother you-" Pansy began. "Wait, Hermione are you going back to work? Why are you in your Minister's robes?"

Hermione nodded. "I'm going back in today. I hate to cut my maternity leave short, but I know you've read the articles about Harry and me..."

"That's actually not why I'm bothering you," Pansy sighed. "You'll never believe who I just saw- who's moving into the office next to mine..."

"Draco Malfoy?" Hermione guessed with a laugh. When Pansy didn't join in, Hermione paled. "Really?"

"Really," Pansy said disgustedly. "He told me he's moved back to London with his wife."

Hermione needed to sit down. "Why would they move back here? Unless they're trying to get Nick back..."

"He hasn't said," Pansy replied. "But anything I hear I'll pass along to you, I promise."

"Thanks Pansy," Hermione said. "How about you? How do you feel about all of this?"

Pansy shrugged. "He's just as insufferable as ever, I'm sure it'll be a real joy to have him around."

"I wish you luck," Hermione said giving her a reassuring smile. "And I'm here if you need to vent. Merlin knows you've done the same for me."

"Thanks," Pansy gave her a wry smile. "Tell Harry would you? I'm sure he'll be overjoyed to hear about this as well."

"You think?" Hermione asked. "We're supposed to meet each other for lunch. I'll tell him then."

"All right." Pansy said. "I'll see you in a few weeks for Saffy's check up."

"She's sleeping through the night now," Hermione said. "Two nights in a row."

"That's good to hear," Pansy said with a genuine smile.

"Take care Pansy," Hermione said smiling back at her.

"You too," Pansy pulled her head out of the fire and sat back for a moment before going to her desk for her patient files for that day. She couldn't let Malfoy bother her.

*** *** ***

Ron, Luna and Maddie were spending an enjoyable day in London while looking at flats for Jon and Josh's graduation present.

"What about this one?" Ron asked as they were sitting in The Leaky Cauldron. "Right here on the main street, and it looks pretty affordable. We said we were only going to pay the rent for the first year right?"

"Right," Luna said absently. "Don't you think they'd like something else for graduation? Like maybe a racing broom? You know, Jon wants to do flying lessons..."

"Mummy doesn't want Josh and Jon to leave," Maddie whispered to her father.

Ron smiled at his wife. "Empty nest dear?"

"Just a little," Luna admitted.

"You'll still have me and Dolly and R.J.," Maddie reminded her. "And Daddy too."

"And Drew and Darla for summers and for winter breaks," Ron added.

"And when Ethan and I get married, he'll live with us too," Maddie said happily.

Ron snorted into his butterbeer as Luna smiled at her daughter. "Maybe we'll have to stop by and see if he's home." she said.

Maddie bounced excitedly up and down in her seat. "And we can see Saffy too!"

"That's right," Ron grinned. "Finish up that fizzy so we can get going." he ruffled her curls.

"I can't believe our boys will be graduating in a couple of weeks," Luna said tearing up. "It seems like just yesterday we were sending them off..."

"I know," Ron rubbed her shoulder comfortingly.

"My sweet boys," Luna said sniffling.

"Come on," Ron said. "Let's go check out that place."

Luna nodded and Maddie scrambled into her mother's arms.

"Don't be sad, Mummy," she said hugging Luna tightly.

"Oh sweetheart," Luna kissed her daughter's forehead. "You won't let me be sad for long will you?"

Maddie shook her head. "I don't like it when you're sad."

"I can't stay that way when you're hugging me like this," Luna said, holding her tighter.

"How did you get to be so sweet, Madeline?" Ron asked as he came back from paying their tab.

"I'm just that way Daddy," Maddie said brightly.

Luna laughed as they walked out of the pub.

"Luna," Ron said reassuringly. "This will be good for them. They both wanted to move back to London anyway..."

"I know," Luna said wistfully.

"And we'll visit them all the time," Ron told her.

"I like that idea," Luna smiled.

"Me too," Maddie nodded. "And I can bring Dolly to visit them!"

"That might not be such a great idea sweetheart," Ron told her. He'd had to think fast to convince Maddie to let Dolly stay with Molly and Arthur and R.J. while they travelled into London for the day.

"Why not Daddy?" Maddie asked.

"You wouldn't want Dolly tearing up your brothers' new place, would you?" Ron asked her.

"She won't if I keep her in the cage," Maddie returned.

Ron frowned. Maddie thought of everything. "What if you brought her by and Josh and Jon liked her so much and they tried to get her to stay with them?"

Maddie stopped and frowned. "Dolly would never want to stay." she said. "She loves me like I love her."

"Okay," Ron said exasperatedly. "She can come, but she has to stay in her cage, Madeline."

"Thank you Daddy," Maddie gave him an extra big smile.

Ron couldn't help laughing. "You're welcome sweetheart."

They finally reached the building. "What floor is it on?" Luna asked.

"Seven," Ron replied. "And there's a lift too."

"Ron," Luna said. "This is where Anna and Luke used to live!"

Ron twisted around to look at the lobby. "Hey it is! I thought this place looked familiar."

"They were really happy here," Luna said. She'd always liked this building. "I think Anna said that they still keep the old place to stay in when they visit..."

"That's good to know," Ron replied. They stopped in the main office for a key and headed upstairs.

"Daddy can I have a piggyback ride?" Maddie asked as they got in the lift.

"Of course you can," Ron said helping her onto his shoulders.

"Thank you Daddy," Maddie wrapped her little arms around him, giggling in delight. It made Luna laugh as well.

The lift pinged open and they walked out into the hall.

"And this place will be really convenient for Josh," Ron said trying to sell his wife on the place. "It's close to the university too."

"And right down the road from the broom shop for Jon," Luna noted.

"And really close to the Longbottoms too," Ron said.

"Which I'm sure will please Neville to no end," Luna laughed.

"Why wouldn't Uncle Neville be happy about that?" Maddie asked innocently.

"Just because," Ron said. "Hey look at this window shelf- I bet Dolly would like her cage sitting here."

"She's scared of heights Daddy," Maddie reminded him. "That might be too high for her!"

"Ohhh right sweetheart I forgot," Ron said, bouncing her a little on his back.

"Two bedrooms," Luna said walking through the kitchen. "I'm sure they'll be glad that they don't have to share anymore."

"Aye," Ron agreed. "And this is a nice sized sitting room as well."

Luna felt tears coming into her eyes as a memory of her twins when they were Maddie's age came into her head. Jon was always Ron's shadow and Josh was always trying to build something.

"They'll be really h-happy here," Luna choked out.

"Mummy," Maddie slid off her father's back. "Don't be sad again! I'll give you extra hugs!"

"I'm going to need them," Luna said hugging her little girl. "I'm sorry for getting this way. Can you imagine what I'll be like when they actually do move away?"

"A right mess," Ron teased gently.

"You'll be the same way when Drew and Darla move out," Luna said laughing through her tears.

"I'm sure I will," Ron agreed. "And when the day comes that my little Madeline goes I'll be just like your mum." he tickled his youngest daughter.

"I'm never leaving," Maddie said giggling. "Ethan, Dolly and I will live with you and Mummy always."

That made Luna start laughing. "I wonder what Ethan would have to say about that?"

"We can go find out," Maddie said hopefully. "I need to tell him how his little baby Dolly is doing..."

Ron snickered. "Well what do you both say? Do you think Jon and Josh will like this place?"

Luna nodded. "I think so."

"Then I guess it's unanimous," Ron said. "Let's go down and sign the papers, then we can see if Harry and Hermione want to join us for dinner."

"Sounds like a plan," Luna said wiping her tears away. "Let's get going. Come along, Maddie."

"Yay!" Maddie said excitedly. "We get to go see Ethan!"

"And my goddaughter," Ron said grinning at her. "We haven't seen little Saffy in weeks."

"I hope she's started sleeping through the night," Luna said as they left the flat.

"I'm sure Harry and Hermione feel the same way," Ron joked.

"Let's go Daddy!" Maddie begged.

Ron laughed and looked at Luna. "You heard her, Luna. Let's go!"

"Do you think Ethan will be happy to see me?" Maddie asked after they'd signed the papers for the place and were leaving.

"He'll be very---" Luna said searching for the right word. "Surprised, Maddie. He'll be very surprised to see you."

"Surprised means happy right Daddy?" Maddie asked.

"Of course," Ron said not wanting to hurt his daughter's feelings.

"Look!" Maddie said as they were back out on the street. "There's Uncle Harry!"

Luna followed Maddie's gaze and saw that Maddie was pointing to a news stand which displayed the latest copies of the Daily Prophet.

"On the paper, Mummy!" Maddie said excitedly. "He's in the paper!"

"So he is," Luna murmured, looking at her husband.

"Bloody hell," Ron said walking over to the news stand for a better look.

"Looks like I might have to write another article," Luna said.

"Why's Uncle Harry so angry?" Maddie asked.

"Someone was trying to take a picture of Saffy and your Aunt Hermione," Ron guessed from what he could gather from the photo. He knew how protective his two friends were of their children.

"Why does that make him mad though?" Maddie was confused.

Ron knelt down in front of Maddie. "Sweetheart, how would you feel if someone tried to bother Dolly? And you didn't know them at all, but they wanted to take pictures of her and it got Dolly really upset and scared? You'd be mad, wouldn't you?"

Maddie nodded. "I would be very angry!" she said. "Dolly doesn't like to be scared."

"That's how your Uncle Harry felt when someone tried to scare Saffy," Ron explained.

"Oh," Maddie nodded. "Well I hope he told them to go away then!"

"I bet he did just that," Ron said ruffling her curls again. "How about we go and see for ourselves, eh?"

"Okay!" Maddie said excitedly.

It had been a long, hard day and sensing his horrible mood, Lupin suggested Harry call it an early one. Hermione had been too busy to go to lunch and he looked forward to hearing about her day and seeing his children. He was quite surprised when he walked in the door to find Ron, Luna and Maddie in the sitting room with Greta and a none-too-thrilled Ethan.

"This is a nice surprise," Harry said giving Maddie a hug.

"Uncle Harry I saw your picture in the paper!" Maddie said, hugging him back.

"So did I," Harry said laughing. "Not a really good picture of me was it?"

"I like it when you smile a lot better," Maddie said with a grin.

"Me too," Harry said carrying her over to the sofa and sitting down. "What brings you lot by?"

"We were in town picking out a flat for Jon and Josh's graduation gift." Ron replied as Maddie slid off Harry's lap next to Ethan. "And we thought we'd pop by to see if you lot wanted to go out for dinner."

"Might have to be a Muggle place," Harry said dryly. "We'd be mobbed anywhere else we went."

"Anywhere that serves food is fine with me," Ron said.

"Ethan was just telling us that he starts back to school tomorrow," Luna said trying to engage the sullen little boy in conversation. "You must have had a nice half term break, Ethan."

Ethan squirmed beside Maddie. "It was okay. I'm grounded. Dad won't let me fly for a week."

"Why not?" Maddie asked. "What's being grounded?"

"It's when you do something bad and your parents take away something you really love to do," Ethan answered.

"But you don't do anything bad," Maddie said, giving him her special grin.

Ethan rolled his eyes. "Don't sit so close to me, Maddie."

"Ethan," Harry said. The look he gave his son said be nice.

"Please, don't sit so close to me, Maddie," Ethan corrected.

"Ethan James," Harry said. "Can I see you in the kitchen please."

Ethan knew he had no choice in the matter and since he didn't relish being grounded for longer than a week, he got up and solemnly followed his father into the kitchen.

"I would very much appreciate it if you would be nice to Maddie," Harry said softly. "I know it annoys you when she says she wants to marry you, but you don't have to see her that often."

"Why don't her mum and dad say something to her about it?" Ethan asked. "It would really help me out, Dad."

"Because we think its cute Ethan," Harry replied. "And it's just Maddie. She's harmless. So please be a bit nicer." he chucked his son under the chin and smiled at him.

Ethan laughed. "Okay, Dad. You're really pretty cool, you know that?"

"I try," Harry grinned.

"I missed Mum today," Ethan said.

"I did too," Harry said. "I bet she'll be home soon though."

"I hope so," Ethan said. "I guess I could take Maddie upstairs to show her the fort I built in Saffron's nursery."

"You built a fort in Saffron's nursery?" Harry asked.

"I had to protect her from the monsters," Ethan said, with a red face.

"What monsters little man?" Harry asked.

"The ones that used to hide under my bed," Ethan explained. "They moved into Saffy's room."

Harry smiled. "You're a good big brother, Ethan. And I think Maddie would love to see your fort."

"Okay," Ethan said. "I'll take her up to see it."

"Thank you," Harry said. "Just promise me you'll be careful around her crib, okay?"

"Okay Dad I promise," Ethan said.

"Okay," Harry said following Ethan back into the sitting room.

"Do you want to go see my fort, Maddie?" Ethan asked her. "It's in Saffy's room."

"Really?" Maddie asked interestedly. "You have a fort up there?"

Ethan nodded. "You can be the evil witch who tries to infiltrate the fort."

Harry put his hand over his mouth to stop from laughing.

Ron snorted behind his hand and Luna turned to hide her giggles.

"As long as she's a pretty witch too." Maddie had missed Ethan's innocent insinuation.

"Whatever," Ethan said motioning for her to follow him. "Well, do you want to see it or not?"

"Sure," Maddie grabbed onto his arm.

"Was that the cutest thing you ever saw?" Luna asked when they were alone. "Maddie was so excited when we were told her we'd stop by."

"Ethan doesn't know what to make of her," Harry said with a chuckle. "I think he's a bit scared."

"So was I," Ron said winking at Luna. "When I met her..."

"She's just like me," Luna said proudly.

"Ethan won't know what hit him," Ron joked.

Harry was still laughing. "I hope Hermione gets home soon. I'm really glad you guys are here, it's a nice surprise."

"We thought you would need some moral support," Ron said. "We, um, saw the article--articles, I mean."

Harry shook his head. "They'll just never stop I suppose. Hermione and I agreed to not let them see how much they bother us."

"That's a smart wife you have there," Luna told him. "If you don't mind me saying..."

"Aye," Harry grinned. "Smart and gorgeous."

"Greta mentioned something about Ethan running away last night," Ron said. "Everything alright?"

"Yeah- he saw that article about me and Natalie, my trainee." Harry replied. "Got upset about it but we straightened him out."

"Kind of hard to explain to an eight-year old boy," Luna said sympathetically.

"Yeah you could say that," Harry replied. "That's why he was grounded though."

"And Saffy seems to be doing okay," Luna said. "She's grown so much since the last time we saw her."

"Like a bloody weed," Harry said. "Every time I look at her it's like she's grown twice the size she was that morning."

"Well," Ethan said opening up the door to Saffron's nursery. "What do you think?"

"Wow!" Maddie clapped her hands in delight. "Ethan it's so cool! If Dolly was here she'd love it!"

Ethan couldn't help smiling back at her. It was a rather cool fort, if he did say so himself. Because he was grounded, he couldn't watch telly or play any video games so he'd spent most of the day building this fort.

"We have to be very careful not to wake up Queen Saffron," Ethan whispered.

"Okay," Maddie whispered back. "But how do we play in it then?"

Ethan pulled back one of the sheets he'd hung from Saffron's bureau to the rocking chair by the window. "You just have to keep your voice down. If you wake the Queen up, you'll have to..." he frowned as he tried to think of a good enough punishment. "You'll...you'll have to walk the plank!"

Maddie's eyes widened. "I can't swim!" she said.

"It's not real water, Maddie," Ethan said shaking his head. "It's just pretend."

Maddie gave him an adoring smile. "I was just pretending too," she giggled quietly. "Daddy took me swimming yesterday."

"Your dad is really cool," Ethan whispered. "Not as cool as mine, but cool just the same."

"My daddy's very cool," Maddie said. "He says I have him wrapped around his little finger."

"You probably will never get grounded then," Ethan said impressed.

"What's grounded?" Maddie asked.

"It's when you do something really bad and your parents punish you by taking away something you really love for a few days," Ethan explained, deciding not to remind Maddie that he'd told her this downstairs. He'd promised his dad he'd try to be nice after all.

"Oh," Maddie nodded. "What did you get taken away?" she asked.

"I can't go flying for a week," Ethan said frowning. "And I can't watch telly or play any of my video games."

"So you made a fort," Maddie nodded.

"Yup," Ethan said. "I spent all day on it."

Maddie gave him another adoring smile. "If she's the Queen, what does that make me?"

"Well, I'm a knight," Ethan explained. "And it's my job to protect the queen and her castle." At the blank expression on Maddie's face, Ethan rolled his eyes. "Saffy's crib is her castle."

"Okay," Maddie nodded. "Can I be the princess then?"

"You can be a princess," Ethan said thoughtfully. "But you have to be an EVIL princess."

Maddie frowned. "I am not evil," she informed him.

"We're just pretending, Maddie," Ethan reminder her.

"But I want to be a pretty princess," Maddie insisted.

Ethan sighed. "You can be a pretty, but evil princess. How's that?"

Maddie thought for a moment. "Okay," she agreed. "Do you have a dress for me?"

"Why would I have a dress?" Ethan asked her. "I'm a boy. Boys don't have dresses. Besides, Mads...you have a dress on already!"

"It's a skirt," Maddie said. "But I guess I can just pretend. Next time I'll bring a princess dress with me."

Ethan could hear Saffron starting to stir and he put a finger to his lips to tell Maddie to keep it down. Gently, he eased back the sheet and walked over to his sister's crib. Saffron's eyes blinked open and she smiled up at him.

"She's awake," Maddie said. "She must really like her big brother's fort." she grinned at Ethan.

"It's cool being a big brother," Ethan said smiling at Maddie. "You must feel the same way about R.J.--being his big sister."

She nodded. "RJ's fun especially now that he's starting to talk."

"What sorts of things does he say?" Ethan asked.

"He says Mum and Dad," Maddie answered. Then she giggled. "He calls me Mah-ee."

Ethan laughed. "Mah-ee...that's funny!"

She laughed too. "It's really funny when he says it too."

"Saffy doesn't say anything yet, but she's coos and gurgles when she's happy," Ethan said reaching his hand into the crib, which Saffron promptly wrapped her little hand around two of his fingers. "And she really likes to grab on to stuff..."

"Like what?" Maddie asked interestedly.

"She likes to grab on to my mum's locket," Ethan said. "And she really, really loves to grab my dad's hair."

Maddie laughed. "I bet she'd grab my hair too," she touched her blonde curls.

"You'd better watch out," Ethan said laughing. Saffron smacked her lips. "I think she's thirsty."

"I wish I could hold her," Maddie smiled wistfully at the baby.

"Maybe you can later when your parents or mine can help," Ethan said, wondering why he was being nice to her. He guessed it had something to do with her being okay when she wasn't talking about marriage and rubbish like that.

"Really?" Maddie asked excitedly. "Maybe I can hold her when we go to dinner!"

"Maybe," Ethan said. He could tell that Saffron was about to start crying and he manoeuvred his way through the fort and out of the room with Maddie hot on his heels. At the foot of the stairs, he called out for his father.

"Saffy's thirsty, Dad!"

"Okay Ethan!" Harry called back. "Be up in a moment."

"Everything okay up there?" Luna asked staring up the stairs at her daughter and Ethan.

"Yes Mummy," Maddie said. "I get to be a princess!"

"Great sweetheart," Luna said smiling up at her.

"Next time we come over I have to bring my princess dress," Maddie said.

"And we'll have to make you a crown," Ethan chimed in.

Maddie was thrilled. "Will you make it for me Ethan?" she asked.

"We, um, could make it now if you like," Ethan said leading her down the stairs. "I have some crayons and paper in the kitchen. Come on..."

Maddie gripped his hand and sent him a happy smile.

Ethan didn't know what to make of this, but seeing as he was hoping to get off of his grounding due to good behaviour, he decided to keep quiet.

"What are you two kids doing?" Harry asked, sending his son a grin.

"Playing," Ethan said blushing as he breezed past his father.

Saffron's crying became louder and Harry hurried upstairs with her bottle.

"Can we make my crown sparkle?" Maddie asked him.

"I think we have some glitter left over from last Halloween," Ethan said. "I don't know where it is though..."

"Okay," Maddie sat down next to him. "Maybe Greta knows where it is."

"Maybe," Ethan said.

Luna laughed as she sat back down with Ron. "They're actually getting along."

"I bet Maddie's over the moon about that," Ron chuckled.

"Did you see her?" Luna asked. "She looked as if she was on cloud nine."

Harry came back into the sitting room with Saffron.

"Oh, Harry," Luna whispered. "She's so big!"

"I know," Harry handed her over to Ron. "Gets bigger every time I see her."

"She wasn't thirsty," Harry explained. "I think she just wanted to say hello..."

"That could be," Ron gave her a kiss on the forehead. "You're gorgeous just like your mum."

"She's the spitting image of Hermione," Harry said fondly.

"Lucky her," Ron teased.

"Ron stop it," Luna replied. "She's got Harry's eyes."

"And just like her mum, she's crazy about me," Harry said with a smug smile at his best friend.

Ron rolled his eyes but laughed. "She really is gorgeous Harry. Sometimes I still can't believe you and Hermione have another baby."

"Neither can I," Hermione chimed in behind them.

"Hey you're home!" Harry gave his wife a welcoming smile.

"And not a moment too soon," Hermione said with a frown. "I had the worst day. Sod's law and all that..."

Harry slid an arm around her. "Ron and Luna want us to go out for dinner with them... are you up for that?"

"Of course," Hermione said smiling at them. "It will nice to be around people who aren't hurling accusations at me."

Luna got up and hugged her friend. "I'd be happy to write an article for you telling the truth if you'd like," she offered.

"I wouldn't want to put you out," Hermione said hugging her back. "Besides, you're working on your novel."

"I'd do anything to help you two out," Luna said. "You know that."

"I know," Hermione said. "I think we're going to need all the help we can get." She looked at Harry. "I think you need to sit down for this."

"What?" Harry asked, a frown creasing his brow.

"Right before I left for work," Hermione explained. "Pansy Flooed to let me know who St. Mungos newest healer was."

Harry shook his head in confusion. "Why would that matter to us?" he asked.

"Because it's Ron favourite and only brother-in-law," Hermione answered.

All three of the adults in the room stared at her. "Please tell me you're joking," Ron finally said.

"I wish I were," Hermione said. "And he's brought your sister back with him."

Harry's jaw nearly hit the floor. "What the fuck do they possibly want here in London?"

"I don't know," Hermione said. "But don't you think it's a bit odd that the moment those two arrive back in London, the papers start having a field day with our marriage?"

Harry's hands clenched into fists. "Damn them," he said darkly.

"When will they give up?" Luna asked disgustedly. "I hope this isn't some ploy to get Nick back into their good graces."

"I'm going to find out where they're living and pay my sister a visit," Ron said, his jaw set.

"Do you think that's wise, Ron?" Luna asked.

"There's no other choice here," Ron replied.

"I still don't have to like it," Luna said shaking her head. "I just wish they'd stayed away."

"So do I," Hermione said. "I'm sorry, I know that she's your sister Ron, but--"

"But she's done some horrible things," Ron interjected. "Sometimes I think the girl I knew as my sister died the day she got involved with Draco Malfoy."

Luna put a comforting hand on his arm. "I'm sorry Ron."

"Yeah," Ron said bouncing Saffron on his lap. "And this last summer...I thought that she actually might still have a conscience. There were times I could see a small glimpse of the girl she used to be, but the moment he came back, it was gone."

"Aye," Harry nodded. "She went back with Draco, and she disowned Nick just like he did."

"Nick!" Luna said clapping her hand over her mouth.

"Oh, Harry," Hermione said looking at him. "We should warn him about this."

"Err..." Greta was in the doorway. "I didn't mean to listen in, but I never really got a chance to tell you. Nick already knows that his parents are back here in town. I saw Ginny Weasley with Narcissa Malfoy in town while shopping with Ethan."

"Narcissa Malfoy!" Harry asked sharply.

"The Ice Queen herself?" Luna scoffed.

"Wait a minute," Hermione said. "If Narcissa Malfoy is here that must mean..."

"Lucius is as well," Harry finished, his eyes glinting coldly.

"You don't think--" Hermione said her voice trailing off as she couldn't bring herself to say the words. She knew Lucius held Harry responsible for his downfall.

"We're going to keep an extra close eye on Ethan and Saffy," Harry interrupted. "And I'll tell Julie to watch out as well." he looked at Ron. "We know what Lucius Malfoy is capable of."

"All too well," Ron said gingerly handing Saffron off to Hermione who happily took her daughter in her arms.

"My sweet girl," Hermione said kissing her forehead.

"She's been so good all day," Greta said. "I think she missed you though. And you have to see what Ethan made in her room."

"Don't tell her!" Ethan called out from the kitchen. "Greta, you promised! I want to show her!"

"I won't," Greta called back.

"Now I'm really curious," Hermione smiled.

Ethan came out of the kitchen and sprinted over to his mother. "I missed you today, Mum."

"Hey little man," Hermione said, shifting Saffron to her right arm while hugging her son with her left. "I missed you too."

Harry motioned for Ron to follow him into his study so they could have a quick word.

"I don't like this Ron," Harry said quietly.

"I don't either," Ron replied. "Whenever a Malfoy is involved, nothing good is going on."

"If either of them lays one finger on any member of my family or my friends..." Harry said, his eyes darkening.

"I'll hold them down while you kill them," Ron's blue eyes were narrowed.

"I'm going to strengthen the wards we have around the house," Harry said wondering if that would be enough. "And Ethan starts school again tomorrow. I think I'll have some of my men watching the school, too."

"That might be a good idea," Ron said. "It's good he goes to a Wizarding primary school. Imagine if it was a Muggle place."

"I don't even want to think about it," Harry said. "But Julie teaches at one. That's going to be a problem."

"She's an adult though," Ron said thoughtfully. "Jules is quick and smart- I think she'd be able to handle herself. Although it probably wouldn't hurt to try and place an aide or some sort of security device that she can alert you with should anything go wrong."

"You know something, Weasley?" Harry said patting him on the back. "You're sort of smart when you want to be."

"Gee thanks Potter," Ron replied sarcastically. "Good to know you care."

"I do," Harry said smiling at him. "You're my best mate, Ron. I don't know what I'd do if anything happened to you. You know that."

"I know," Ron grinned at him. "You'd be lost. And your kitchen would always be well stocked."

"Speaking of well stocked kitchens," Harry said. "I don't believe I've seen you eat anything since you've been here."

"I was holding out for dinner," Ron said. "But if you've got some biscuits or something I'd be glad to help you get rid of them."

"You're so unselfish, Ron."

"I know," Ron nodded. "Always willing to help empty a kitchen in need," they laughed as they went downstairs.

Maddie grinned at her father. "Look at my crown Daddy!"

"Princess Madeline," Ron said scooping her up in his arms.

"Princess Cruella," Ethan corrected.

"Princess Cruella?" Ron began to laugh. "Are you an evil princess sweetheart?"

"An evil, pretty princess," Maddie said happily. "But I'm not really evil. It's just pretend!"

"You're a gorgeous princess," Ron kissed her cheek.

"Hey Dad can you make this sparkle?" Ethan asked, holding up the paper crown.

"Sure little man," Harry said pulling out his wand and muttering a quick spell. He handed it back to Maddie who was staring at in awe.

"It's so pretty!" she said smiling adoringly at it. "Thanks, Uncle Harry!"

"You're welcome love," Harry smiled at her. "Did Ethan colour that for you?"

"I might have," Ethan mumbled. He could already see his parents' getting ideas. "I, um, should probably go upstairs and get ready for dinner."

"All right little man," Harry laughed.

"Ethan you have to put this on me," Maddie said.

"You can put it on yourself, Maddie. You don't need me," Ethan said.

"But you have to crown me," Maddie insisted.

"But I'm just a knight," Ethan told her. "You have to be crowned by royalty. A king or a queen, not a lowly knight."

"How about I crown you sweetheart?" Ron asked, sensing Ethan's discomfort.

"Okay," Maddie said giving him a slight smile.

"It's better this way," Ethan said. "Your dad is a king if you're a princess."

"Oh," Maddie said her face brightening. "That's right! Daddy! You're a king!"

Luna laughed from the doorway. "Weasley is my king," she said, her eyes twinkling.

"I can't believe I used to hate hearing that," Ron said grinning back at her.

"You hated it until I sang it to you," Luna smiled at him.

"Why did you hate being called a king Daddy?" Maddie asked, adjusting the crown over her blonde hair.

Ron laughed. "Well, my Maddie. When your daddy was in school, there was this really mean, smelly, bas-"

"RONALD!" Luna interjected, swatting him on the arm.

"Ferret," Ron continued. "And when I played Quidditch, at first I wasn't very good and he made up a song about me. But then when I won the Quidditch Cup, your mum here changed it so it was a good song."

"Teach me to sing it Mummy!" Maddie said excitedly.

Luna laughed. "Once we get home I'll teach it to you."

Hermione laughed. "Well, if you'll just give me a few minutes to change out of my robes, we can go out to eat."

"Sure," Harry smiled at his wife. "Greta will you join us?" he asked. "We'd love to have you out with us."

"Sure," Greta said with a grin. "I'll just go and freshen up."

Harry, Ethan, Greta and Hermione all went off to get ready for dinner leaving Ron, Luna and Maddie in the sitting room. Maddie was a little sleepy and she rested her head on her father's chest as her parents chatted.

"Are you tired love?" Ron stroked her hair.

"Mmmhmm," Maddie said sleepily. "I'm just resting my eyes, Daddy."

"You're not too tired for ice cream after dinner right?" Ron teased gently.

"No," Maddie said softly. "Never too tired for that."

"I'm going to floo over and let your mum know what we're doing," Luna said walking over to the fireplace.

Ron kissed the top of his daughter's head as his wife spoke to his mother through the fireplace.

Maddie felt herself drifting off to sleep even though she tried to fight it.

She felt herself being lifted up and she thought it was her father setting her on the sofa, but when she opened her eyes again she noticed that she was standing in a little shop with a very familiar person standing in front of her.

Maddie couldn't make out the voices but she recognised the woman from the holiday at Hillsdale. She was her father's sister, Ginny. Ginny was saying something to Nana. Maddie strained to hear what they were saying, but she couldn't hear a word they were saying. It was like watching the telly with the volume muted.

"Nana" Maddie tried to get her grandmother's attention.

Molly couldn't hear her though so Maddie turned her attention to Ginny. Ginny, however, was pointing her finger accusingly at Nana. Maddie watched in horror as her grandmother began to cry.

"Nana!" Maddie said, her little face crumpling as she tried to rush forward. "Don't be sad Nana!"

Something or someone held her back, but she couldn't see what it was.

"I have to help my Nana," Maddie tried to struggle away but couldn't.

"Shhhh," Maddie heard someone whisper in a comforting voice.

"No!" Maddie still tried to pull away. "Let me go!"

Ron, who had been stroking his daughter's hair as she slept, noticed that his little girl had grabbed on to his collar. "Maddie? Sweetheart, wake up..."

She awoke with a start, surprised now to see that she was back on her father's lap. "Daddy where's Nana?" she asked.

"She's at the Burrow baby," Ron said pushing her hair back. He saw how frightened she looked. "Hey, Maddie. Did you have a bad dream?"

Maddie opened her mouth to tell her father about it but shook her head. "It's okay Daddy."

Ron hugged her to him. "You sure, Madeline?"

"I'm okay," she nodded. She really wanted to tell Ethan- she had a strange feeling that he might understand but she knew he probably didn't want to hear about it. "Where did my crown go Daddy?"

"Right here," Ron said reaching around her to get it. "Didn't want it to get messed up while you slept."

"Thank you," Maddie sent her father a smile. "Do you think it's a pretty crown?"

"Not as pretty as the princess who wears it," he said placing it atop her head.

Maddie beamed. "I can't wait to put on my princess dress at home."

"That pretty pink and white one that Nana gave you for your birthday?" Ron asked her.

Maddie nodded. "And I have to make a wand too."

"I can help you with that," Ron told her. "When we get home."

"Really Daddy?" Maddie was happy that her father would help her. "That will be a lot of fun!"

"What are you two planning?" Luna asked coming back over to join them.

"Daddy's going to help me make a wand for my princess outfit," Maddie said happily.

"Is he now?" Luna asked.

"I'm going to try," Ron laughed.

"Without magic?" Luna asked him.

"Who said without magic?" Ron asked as the Potters and Greta came back into the room.

"I thought we were going to teach Maddie that you didn't always need to use magic," Luna told him.

"Why not Mummy?" Maddie asked innocently, looking at Ethan as he sat down on the other sofa.

"Because," Luna told her. "It's good to use your head and do some hard work every now and again instead of depending on magic to make things easier, Maddie."

"We can make it out of a stick right?" Maddie asked.

"Right," Luna said. "And I'm sure we can find some glitter and glue."

"Ethan I'm going to come over so we can play once I have my wand," Maddie said.

"Oh," Ethan said uncomfortably. "Okay."

"We'll have a lot of fun," she bubbled as they left the house. "Saffron is a good queen!"

"She certainly is," Hermione laughed. "She cries and we all come running."

"Mum liked my fort," Ethan said to his dad, trying to pull away from Maddie who wrapped her little hand around his arm.

"I was very impressed myself," Harry said. "And you did it all by yourself, too."

"I think it's a really neat castle," Maddie was trying to get back into the game.

"When Jon and Josh come home," Ethan said. "I'm going to see if they can help me build a really big one out in the backyard."

"I bet they'll let me help," Maddie sent a charming grin his way.

"It's going to be a boys only thing," Ethan said.

"Oh," Maddie said, looking down at the pavement.

"Do you know what we could do once your sisters are back from school?" Luna asked her daughter. "Something for just us girls?"

"What Mummy?" Maddie asked, releasing Ethan's arm.

"Maybe you, me, your sisters, Julie, and Aunt Hermione could all spend the day in Dublin," Luna suggested. "Or we could go down to Brighton for the day."

Maddie nodded. "Okay," she agreed, but not with the enthusiasm she'd had when talking about building a fort with Ethan.

"You think Josh and Jon would help me?" Ethan asked Ron. "If they won't be hanging out with their girlfriends that is."

"They do get pretty preoccupied when it comes to Allison and Lizzy," Ron said. "But I'm sure they'd take an afternoon to help you out."

"Great," Ethan said with a grin.

They decided to take the car into Muggle London and Ethan ended up sitting with Maddie in the back. He couldn't help noticing how quiet she was.

"Look," Ethan said taking pity on her. "I know you wanted to help me build my fort, but it's...are you okay?"

Maddie nodded, her thoughts alternating between the dream she'd had about her Nana and Ethan not wanting her help.

"If you really want to help with the fort," Ethan said. "I guess that'd be okay."

"Really?" Maddie asked, her blue eyes brightening a little. "You'd really want me to help?"

Ethan scratched the back of his neck, wondering what he was getting himself into. "Sure. We could always use an extra set of hands."

Maddie grinned. "That sounds like fun," she said. "I can climb a tree to put something up there!"

'I didn't know you liked to climb trees," Ethan said.

"I do it at home," Maddie said as they pulled into a restaurant. "We have a really big tree and I can get halfway up!"

"That's really cool," Ethan said impressed. "Not too many girls like to do stuff like that. There's these two girls that live next door to my grandparents and they cry if they get dirty. Can you believe that?"

"It's fun to get all dirty," Maddie giggled. “I like it!”

Ethan laughed. "Me too."

Harry looked back and smiled to see his son walking with Maddie, both of them laughing together. "Check that out," he said to Ron quietly. "I'm glad Ethan's finally being nice to her."

"Maddie seems to like it too," Ron said winking at his little girl.

"She's got such a crush on him," Harry said. "Hermione thinks it's so funny."

"You never know," Ron said. "Someday, they might wind up together. Fall in love...."

Harry laughed. "Not anytime in the near future. Ethan thinks girls are taboo."

"He's going to change his mind," Ron said quickening his step so he could hold the door for his wife. "After you my love..."

"Thank you Ronald," Luna smiled at him.

Ron grinned at her. "Just showing Harry how he should treat a lady."

"I beg your pardon," Harry sputtered. "I treat my wife very well!"

"You do?" Ron asked, pretending to think this over. He was enjoying this a little too much.

"Hermione," Harry said. "Tell him!"

Hermione who had been talking with Greta looked up nonplussed at her husband. "Tell him what?"

"That I treat you like gold," Harry said, balancing Saffron's little seat on his arm.

"Better than gold," she said smiling at him.

"See?" Harry asked Ron as he held the door open for Hermione, Greta, Ethan and Maddie.

"You always have to do me one better, don't you?" Ron asked him.

"Yes," Harry smirked. "Especially when you try to one up me Ronniekins."

"Let's just sit down and order," Ron said glaring at him.

"Right," Harry's smirk turned into a grin. "Are you hungry sweetheart?" he asked Maddie.

"Yes Uncle Harry," Maddie said. "I want spaghetti and anything I don't eat I want to save for Dolly!"

"Spaghetti eh?" Harry asked. "I'm sure we can get that for you love." he smiled at the little girl.

Hermione was glad that they'd chosen a Muggle restaurant. For one thing, no one was pointing and whispering at them. To everyone here, they were just normal, everyday people. It was nice to get away from all that even if it was for just a couple of hours.

They settled down in a big booth. Saffron was asleep in her carrier and Hermione couldn't help sneaking a glance at her daughter.

"I missed her so much today," Hermione whispered to Harry. "And Ethan. At one point, I closed my office door and cried."

Harry rubbed her arm comfortingly. "I wonder if you could take her in with you, when you have just a day you'll be in your office doing paperwork."

"I was thinking that too," Hermione said. "I remember a time when I thought that being Minister was all I ever wanted---that there was nothing more important than that. And then I met you, and we had Julie, and Ethan and now--Saffy."

"Family really becomes priority doesn't it?" Harry asked quietly, looking over at Ethan who was deep in discussion with Maddie who in turn was barely able to conceal her joy at having his attention. "At one point I thought I'd never live to have kids at all."

"But look at you now," Hermione said touching his cheek.

"All thanks to you," Harry said with a soft smile.

"You had something to do with it too," she told him.

"Hello rabbits," Ron said. "We're waiting to order here..."

"Shut it Ron," Harry said glaring at his friend. "You ruined a perfectly good moment."

"Like you haven't already had five today," Ron rolled his eyes. "I'm hungry!"

"You're always hungry," Harry pointed out.

"Yes we'll you're always hor--" Ron started to retort.

Luna quickly grabbed a breadstick and stuffed it in Ron's mouth to stop him from saying what he was about to say.

"You have to be on your toes when you're married to Mr. Tactful here," Luna said with smug grin.

"I'm impressed Luna," Harry grinned. "You're quick."

"Not as fast as you, but I get by," Luna said grinning at him.

"How are the wedding preparations going for Chiaki and Toshio's wedding?" Greta asked. "That girl is going to make one beautiful bride."

"Aye she is," Harry agreed. "According to Cho, they're busy but everything's on schedule."

"Turned their house into wedding central, haven't they?" Luna asked.

"That's one way of putting it," Hermione smiled.

"We're going to have a busy few weeks ahead," Ron said. "The twins' graduation, moving them into their new flat, Chiaki's wedding."

"So you found them a flat?" Harry asked.

Luna nodded. "In Anna and Luke's old building."

"How lovely," Hermione said. "They had such a nice flat when they lived there."

"I know," Luna agreed. "And I think Josh and Jon will really like it. I just don't know if I'm ready to let them move out."

"Empty nest?" Hermione asked her friend with a smile.

"A little," Luna said. When Ron kicked her under the table, Luna blushed. "Okay, maybe a lot."

"I was a bit of the same way when Julie left," Hermione said. "But I had Saffy to keep my mind off things as well. And my little man over here."

"I was the one who couldn't let Julie go," Harry said. "I did everything in my power to get her to stay."

Ron laughed at him. "I remember when you put a spell on the door so it wouldn't open."

"She was my firstborn," Harry said defensively.

"Aye and she comes over what, three times a week?" Ron said with a grin.

"Five or six," Ethan corrected. "She'll stop by sometimes when school lets out."

"So she's never really gone," Ron replied.

"No," Harry said. He winked at Luna. "And I imagine your twins will be the same."

"During the year while Lizzy and Allison are away at school yes," Luna said with a soft smile.

Harry laughed. "They'll make time for you, Luna."

"I hope so," Luna said as their food arrived.

"Remember, Daddy. We're saving all the leftovers for Dolly," Maddie reminded him.

"Is Dolly your little girl's pet?" their waitress asked as she set their plates down.

"Yes," Maddie said. "It's my Cor--"

"Cornish game hen," Luna interjected. "Her Cornish game hen."

"I didn't know you could raise those as pets," the waitress said in awe. "That's really cool."

"She loves it," Ron interjected with a weak laugh.

"And your hen likes Italian food, does she?" the waitress asked winking at Maddie.

"Yes," Maddie nodded, looking at her parents in bewilderment.

"Cool," the waitress said. "So I can get you folks anything else?"

"No," Ron said. "Thank you."

"Enjoy," the waitress smiled.

"Daddy why did you say I have a hen?" Maddie asked.

"You remember how I told you about Muggles and how they don't really understand about our world, don't you?" Ron asked her.

"Oh," Maddie nodded. "I forgot Daddy."

"That's okay, sweetheart," Ron said patting her on the arm. "Sometimes, I forget too."

"About more than just the Muggle world," Harry muttered under his breath.

"What was that?" Ron asked.

"Nothing," Harry grinned.

8. Chapter 8

Authors' note: Hi everyone. We're sorry for not updating last night. For those of you who were wanting to see more of the "next generation" you get your wish in this chapter with more Ethan and you see what Jon/Allie and Josh/Lizzy have been up to at Hogwarts while all this is going on. Thank you for reading and reviewing.

A few hours later Ron tumbled through the fireplace at the Burrow with a sleepy Maddie, Luna following behind them. "Hi Mum," he said to Molly, who was knitting in her rocking chair.

"How was London?" Molly asked, setting her knitting aside. "Did you find the boys a place?"

"Aye," Ron replied, showing his mother the papers. "They're going to be so surprised."

"I imagine so," Molly said with a laugh. "R.J. is out like a light upstairs. And look at my sweet girl! She looks as if she's about to drift off as well."

"I'm sleepy Nana," Maddie answered, ambling over to her grandmother.

"You had a big day," Molly said scooping Maddie up in her arms. "And you're little pixie behaved herself. She was a complete angel while you were away."

"Dolly's really very good," Maddie hugged her grandmother extra tightly as she recalled the dream she'd had where Nana was crying. "I told her to be good for you."

Molly hugged her back. "My Maddie always gives the best hugs."

"I give extra hugs when you're sad Nana," Maddie said.

Molly looked at her granddaughter. "I'm not sad, Maddie."

"I saw you and you were sad," Maddie hung onto her grandmother. "So I wanted to make you feel happy again.”

Molly exchanged a look with Ron who looked just as confused as she was. "When did you see me sad, Maddie? When you dropped off your brother and Dolly this morning, I was very happy to see you. You remember, don't you? In fact, this is one of the happiest days I've had in a long, long time."

"Okay Nana," Maddie was too tired to pursue the subject. "I want to go to sleep."

"You might want to take this little one with you," Arthur said coming out of the kitchen carrying Dolly's cage. The Cornish pixie was fast asleep covered up with an old pink tea cosy.

"Thank you Grandpa," Maddie gave him a smile and unsteadily gave him a hug. "She looks so comfortable under there."

Luna came back downstairs with R.J., who was yawning. When he saw his sister, he pointed. "Mah-ee!"

"Hi RJ," Maddie gave her brother a sleepy smile.

"We'd better get them home," Luna said to Ron.

"Right," Ron said. "Thanks again for watching them today, Mum."

"Anytime Ronald," Molly said, gazing at her grandchildren fondly. "I love having them here."

Maddie took Dolly's cage from her grandfather. "Be extra nice to Nana, Grandpa. Okay?"

"Maddie," Ron said, shaking his head. "Grandpa treats Nana just fine sweetheart."

"She's just tired, Ronald," Molly said pecking the little girl on the cheek. "Sleep well, Madeline."

"Okay Nana. I love you," Maddie said, resting her little head on her father's shoulder.

"I love you too sweetheart," Molly said leaning against Arthur. "You be a good girl for your mum and dad, okay?"

"Okay," Maddie agreed.

Maddie was already fast asleep by the time they finally made it back to their home in Ireland. The vision she'd had about her aunt and grandmother forgotten for the moment.

*** *** ***

In the Hogwarts library, Allison looked across the table at Jon who had his nose buried in his History of Magic text book. What a difference a year makes, she thought to herself. Last year at this time, he was filling the Gryffindor Common Room with silly string trying to get her attention. Now, he was studying as if his life depended on it.

In some ways, Allison supposed it did. He wasn't just taking his finals, he was taking his N.E.W.T.s.

He'd come so far this year and Allison had no doubt he'd pass them with flying colours.

Allison tore off a piece of parchment and balled it up in her fist. With a mischievous gleam in her eyes, she threw the paper at him and quickly tried to pretend as if she'd been reading the entire time.

"I saw that you know," Jon said to his girlfriend.

"Saw what?" she asked innocently, looking up from her book.

Jon held the ball of paper in his hand. "You're talking to the king of innocent looks while being guilty here Al," he said with a grin.

"You'd think I'd have picked up a thing or two," Allison said with a laugh. "I didn't mean to interrupt your serious studying, Jon."

"I think I've absorbed about as much of this as I'm going to," Jon shut his book. "It's been bloody branded on my brain."

"That's a good thing," Allison said smiling at him. "Last night in your sleep, you were muttering something about the Goblin Rebellion in 1847."

"Was I now?" Jon moved into the chair next to hers. "I don't know what I'm going to do without you next year while you're here and I'm not."

"I don't even want to think about that," Allison said frowning.

Jon slid an arm around her. "I'll come to Hogsmeade and we can spend the days together when you get to come down." he promised.

"I'd love that," Allison said leaning in for a kiss.

"Mr. Weasley and Ms. Longbottom," Madam Pince said sternly. "This is not the place for that sort of thing."

"You're absolutely right, Madam Pince," Jon said cheekily. "I tried to tell Allison that, but you know how she gets."

"I beg your pardon," Allison glared at Jon.

"Only kidding Al," Jon said smiling sweetly at her.

"I'll keep him in line, Madam Pince," Josh said coming over to them with Lizzy in tow. "I'm the GOOD twin."

"That you are Mr. Weasley," Madam Pince agreed with a glare at Jon.

Jon watched as the librarian walked away and just shook his head. "You know she's crazy about me, don't you?"

"Right," Allison rolled her eyes.

"Sorry we're late," Lizzy said. "I had to stop the GOOD twin here from punching some sixth-year Slytherin's lights out."

"Why?" Jon asked incredulously.

"He was making some cracks about Uncle Harry," Josh said with a shrug.

"Like what?" Allison asked with narrowed eyes. "That rubbish in the paper?"

Josh nodded. "And he said some horrible things about Hermione as well."

"Which Slytherin was it?" Jon asked.

"Steven Flint," Josh said.

"That's the wanker that tried to knock Allie off her broom during our last match," Jon said his own eyes darkening.

"Right," Josh replied. "And I would have decked him if it wasn't for Lizzy stopping me. As it was I think I made him piss his trousers."

"Did you really?" Jon asked impressed.

Josh smirked. "Bloody wanker."

"It was really funny," Lizzy said. "You guys should have seen it."

"Wish I had," Jon replied. "Way to go mate."

Josh shrugged. "I'm just glad Ethan's not here. Could you imagine if he had to hear all of this rubbish?"

"I don't even want to think of it." Allison said.

"I hope he's doing okay," Lizzy said softly. "This can't be easy for any of them."

"Probably not but I'm sure they'll get through it," Josh said. "Uncle Harry and Aunt Hermione have a tight relationship- they aren't going to let something like this tear them apart."

"Right," Lizzy agreed. "And I bet by the time we get home, this will have all blown over. And we'll have Chiaki's wedding to worry about."

"Right," Allison said. "I still can't believe my sister is getting married. I can't wait for you all to see me and Frankie's bridesmaid dresses- they're gorgeous."

"Not orange, right?" Lizzy asked. "You did manage to talk her out of that, right?"

"Pink," Allison said. "All thanks to one Maddie Weasley."

"I imagine Maddie could talk old Severus Snape into wearing pink," Jon mused.

All four teenagers burst into laughter but hushed quickly at the stern glare from Madam Pince. "Come on," Jon said. "Let's all get out of here."

"We just got here," Josh protested.

"Al and I have been studying for hours," Jon said. "My eyes are about to start crossing."

Josh couldn't help laughing. "Okay, Jon. Where did you want to go? Dinner?"

"Dinner sounds great," Jon's eyes brightened.

"Okay," Josh relented. "But Lizzy and I are coming back here afterwards.'

Jon slung an arm around his girlfriend as they left the library. "I'm starving," he said.

Josh laughed. "You're about as bad as Dad, Jon."

"And you never gain a stone," Allison scowled at him.

"That's because I'm very active," Jon explained.

"I don't want to know," Josh replied immediately.

"You automatically think the worst," Jon said pretending to be affronted. "Get your mind out of the gutter, Josh. You are the good twin after all."

"If that was the case then I'd never gain weight either," Allison mused.

"Al," Jon said picking her up. "You are as light as a feather."

"Jon!" she squealed with laughter. "What are you doing?"

"I don't know," Jon said laughing. "What am I doing?"

"Jon everyone's staring!" Allison hissed as Jon and Lizzy rolled their eyes at each other.

"Want me to put you down?" he asked her.

"Maybe," she teased.

"How about we ditch the good twin and sneak off to the kitchens and nick some food," Jon whispered in her ear. "And go down by the lake for our own little picnic?"

"That sounds just... fantastic," Allison gave him a quick kiss.

Lizzy laughed as she watched her best friend be carried off by Jon. "Allison that behaviour isn't becoming of a prefect!" she called out to her.

"What?" Allison teased. "I can't hear you!" she laughed again as she and Jon disappeared.

"The more things change," Josh said shaking his head as he and Lizzy made their way to the Great Hall. "The more things stay the same."

*** *** ***

Ethan was sitting at his desk, completely bored. His half term week was over and he was back at school. He had worked ahead with his mother before she'd had to go back to work and this was more like a review for him at this point.

He was very much looking forward to having a recess where he could go out and run around with his mates.

Ethan's best mate Trevor Stevens pumped his fist when their teacher finally dismissed class for recess.

"You want to try and play football?" Trevor asked.

"Sure," Ethan agreed eagerly.

"Great," Trevor said volunteering to go and get a ball. "You're going down, Potter!"

"You wish," Ethan scoffed. "I'm so much better than you at this game!"

Trevor laughed. "See if you can round up some more people so we can have a proper game. I'll meet you outside."

"Right," Ethan agreed. "Hey Tom," he hollered. "Want to play football with me and Trevor?"

"Sure," Tom said walking over to join his friend.

A couple of older boys Ethan knew by their faces, but not by their names, were snickering about something.

"You're Potter, aren't you?" one of the boys called out to him.

"Yeah," Ethan answered.

"When your parents get divorced which one are you going to stay with?" the boy asked him, causing his friend to chuckle. "Your mum or your dad and your hot new step mum?"

Ethan's eyes narrowed. "That's a load of rubbish," he said, remembering what his parents told him to say.

"That's probably what they tell you," the boy continued. "They probably put on this big act for you, but they're really already planning to get divorced."

"No they're not," Ethan told himself to stay calm. "You don't know what you're talking about."

"My dad says that yours is nothing but a fake and a phoney," the boy said. "He reckons it was Albus Dumbledore who really defeated You-Know-Who."

Ethan glared at the boy. "My dad did too defeat Voldemort," he boldly used the name.

The boys snickered. "Yeah, right."

"He did!" Ethan's hands clenched into fists.

"What's wrong, Baby Potter?" the taller boy asked. "Gonna go spare on me?"

"I could," Ethan's face was red with anger.

"Ethan," Tom said. "Just let it go. Look, Trev's coming back with the ball."

Ethan's shoulders were hunched up but he let them relax. "Fine," he muttered, still glaring at the older boy who smirked and elbowed his friend.

"My father reckons his parents are just staying together for show," Ethan heard one of the boys say.

"You mean because she's the Minister?" the other boy said. "My dad said that we have only ourselves to blame for having a Mud-"

Ethan turned as the boy started to say the word and rushed back. Before the other two had a chance to react, he'd hit one of them in the stomach and belted the other across the nose.

"Go Ethan!" Tom and Trevor shouted out encouragingly to him. A crowd of students gathered around Ethan and the two older boys, cheering and yelling.

"You're going to pay for that!" one of the boys said struggling to get to his feet.

"I'm really scared," Ethan sneered. "You're saying bad things about my mum and dad!"

Before the older boys could retaliate, two teachers broke through the crowd to break up the melee.

"Ethan?" Mrs. Grey asked, looking at him. She'd never known him to be involved in fights. "What on earth is going on here?"

Ethan was breathing too hard to answer at first. "They were saying bad things about my mum and dad," he finally replied. "He called my mother a Mudblood!"

Mrs. Grey turned her attention to the older boys. "Steven? Richard? Is that true?"

"We were just minding our own business," Steven lied. "Potter here just went crazy like his dad and attacked us!"

"That's not true," Tom said in his friend's defence. "They started it Mrs. Grey." Trevor also nodded.

Ethan crossed his arms. "My dad isn't crazy!" he said angrily.

"You boys come with me," Mrs. Grey said. "I'm afraid I'm going to have to owl your parents."

"Mine too?" Ethan asked.

"I'm afraid so, Ethan," Mrs. Grey said. "No matter what was said, that is no excuse for fighting. You know better than that."

"Fine," Ethan muttered. Steven's nose was bleeding and Richard was clutching his stomach as the three of them and Mrs. Grey went back to the classroom.

Nearly a half-hour later, Hermione arrived at the school. She'd been in a meeting when she'd received the owl and she'd had to read over the note two or three times to see if it made sense. Her son had apparently been involved in some sort of fight and both she and Harry were to come to the school immediately. When she walked into the school's main office, she saw her husband waiting outside.

"What's going on?" Hermione asked. "Have you seen Ethan?"

"Not yet," Harry replied. "I was waiting for you- I just got here a minute ago."

"Fighting," Hermione said sitting down beside him. She shook her head. "This isn't like him!"

"I know," Harry replied. "I had to read the note about four times."

"I just hope this isn't about the stories in the paper," Hermione said, but having a bad feeling that it was.

"Guess we're about to find out," Harry said as Ethan's teacher came down the corridor towards them.

Mrs. Grey gave them a weak smile. "Good afternoon, Mr. Potter, Minister."

"Afternoon," Harry shook her hand. "So Ethan was involved in a fight?" he got right to the point.

"Yes," Mrs. Grey said nodding. "Apparently, two of our older students were taunting him about those articles in the paper. They went a little too far, but luckily we were able to stop it before things became worse."

Hermione sighed and rubbed her temples. "I knew it," she said.

"Was he hurt?" Harry asked.

"No," Mrs. Grey said. "But you can see for yourself."

She let them into the office, where Ethan was sitting glumly in a chair.

"Ethan James Potter," Hermione said kneeling down in front of him. "What on earth were you thinking?"

"They were saying bad things about you!" Ethan's eyebrows were creased- he was obviously still smarting over the comments.

"What did they say?" Harry asked.

"They said that Dumbledore was the one who defeated Voldemort," Ethan said. "And they called Mum a... they called her a Mudblood."

Hermione was touched that her son had felt the need to defend his parents' honour, but she certainly didn't want him to think that fighting was the only answer.

"Oh, Ethan," she said quietly.

"Did you win?" Harry couldn't help asking.

"HARRY!" Hermione exclaimed, glaring at him.

"I got them real good, Dad!" Ethan said triumphantly.

"That's good," Harry said. "I mean... Ethan fighting isn't good- you know that." he coughed to hide his smile.

"Harry," Hermione said trying to remain calm in the presence of Ethan's teacher. "If you could stop patting him on the back, you would realise the seriousness of what happened. Ethan could have been seriously hurt!"

"I know," Harry replied. "Ethan what possessed you to hit someone else?"

"You did it too Dad," Ethan said. "In the papers you had that guy by the collar."

Hermione shot Harry an 'I told you so' look.

"Those were reporters who were trying to take pictures and provoke me, Ethan," Harry tried to explain.

"Those boys were provoking me too, Dad."

"But Ethan," Harry looked to his wife for help.

"Ethan," Hermione said. "If your father could go back and change what happened the other day in the park, he would. I know you get upset when you hear bad things about your father and me. We get upset about them too. But we can't go around hitting or hexing people because we don't like what they say or what they think."

"Yeah but they wouldn't stop," Ethan said, his brown eyes dark.

"They wanted you to do that, Ethan," Hermione said softly. "They wanted you to get angry. You would have gotten back at them more if you'd just ignored it."

Ethan shook his head and stared out the window.

"Ethan and the other two boys will both have to serve detentions starting tomorrow," Mrs. Grey explained.

Hermione nodded. "Of course," she replied.

"Ethan," Mrs. Grey said quietly. "I'll give you a few moments with your parents and then you'll have to get back to class."

"Thank you," Hermione said to her.

Harry nodded his thanks as well as the teacher left the room. "Well Ethan," he began. "I know you meant well... but--"

"We're going to have to extend your punishment." Hermione finished. "Two weeks with no flying."

"That's not fair!" Ethan erupted. "I was trying to protect you Mum. Just like Dad!"

"We know," Hermione said. "But you didn't go about it the right way."

"But if Dad did it why is it bad when I do?" Ethan protested.

"It was bad when I did it too, Ethan," Harry said taking a seat beside his son. "You saw the papers the next day. Believe me, Ethan. I'm paying for it."

"Whatever," Ethan said huffily.

Hermione was at a loss as to what to say to get through to her son to make him see that what he'd done was wrong. In Ethan's mind, he'd done what his father would have done. And as Ethan believed, Harry could do no wrong.

"How about we talk about this tonight at dinner?" Harry suggested. "I have to get back to the office and you have to get back to class young man."

"Nothing's going to change," Ethan said getting to his feet. "Why can't we just be..."

"Be what?" Hermione asked him.

"Normal," Ethan said looking at his mother. "Just normal, Mum."

"I ask myself that every day," Harry replied. "But we'll never be normal Ethan. I've lived my life in the spotlight since I was eleven years old. Your mum is the Minister for Magic. You're going to have to get used to things like this happening and you won't always be able to hit someone to make it go away."

Ethan was silent for a few moments thinking about what his father had just said.

"I'm going to go back to class," he finally said.

"Right," Hermione said. "We'll see you at home tonight and we'll talk more Ethan."

Ethan just shrugged his shoulders before walking out of the office.

"He doesn't get it," Hermione said. "He doesn't understand that violence isn't the answer."

"I am proud of him though, Hermione," Harry said, preparing himself for her anger at his statement.

"Harry," Hermione said sharply.

"He stood up for himself," Harry explained. "Look, I don't like him fighting anymore than you do, but look at the circumstances. You know it hasn't been an easy past couple of days for him."

"I know but we can't go on letting him think that he can just pummel anyone who says something bad about us." Hermione replied as they left the school.

"He'd be taking on a lot of people," Harry joked, trying to lighten the mood.

"Don't joke Harry," Hermione frowned at her husband.

"Sorry," Harry said sheepishly. "I don't know what to say, Hermione. We never had this problem with Jules. And Saffy's not going to be getting into any fights in the near future."

"No," Hermione shook her head. "But he needs to know that fighting isn't right. And for him to see you doing it in the papers certainly isn't helping matters."

Harry stopped walking and looked at her. "So you think this is my fault?"

"I didn't say that," Hermione replied calmly. "But you know how much he thinks of you."

"I do," Harry said. "Did you hear him in there? He wants us to be normal. I'd do anything I could to make that happen for him. You know that, right?"

"I know that," Hermione nodded.

"He shouldn't have to grow up like this," Harry said quietly.

"Harry," Hermione put a hand on his arm. "You know we're doing the best we can to shield him from all this."

"Aye," Harry said giving her a hollow smile.

Hermione stopped and gave him a kiss, right there in the middle of the pavement. "We'll talk to him about this tonight," she said softly, ignoring the stares of the passers-by. "I do hate punishing him for this when he's only doing what he thought was right."

"I know," he said hugging her tightly. "I don't know what I'd do if I didn't have you."

"Same here," she grinned. "Well on cue, there are the photographers. And I'm rather in the mood to give a little show..."

"What did you have in mind?" he asked her.

"You tell me," Hermione said with a sly grin.

"I would have you know," Harry whispered in her ear. "That I am a married man. I wouldn't be seen doing things like...this..."

"You're married to me," Hermione said in a husky tone. "You're allowed."

"Oh," he whispered with a grin. "I guess its okay then." He pressed his lips to hers just as the photographers started snapping away.

"Minister!" the reporters had already started falling all over themselves to get the first quote. "Does this mean you and Harry are back together?"

"What about your younger girlfriend Harry?" Another thrust some sort of recording device at him.

Hermione looped her arms around Harry's neck and just smiled sweetly at the reporters. "No comment."

"But Minister," the reporter looked frustrated. "You owe your public an explanation!"

"My husband and I are happily married," Hermione said leaning against him. "And we intend to stay that way for a very, very long time."

"But..." yet another reporter struggled forward. "What about the rumours of you and your Auror trainee Mr. Potter?"

"What rumours?" Harry asked him pulling a confused face.

"You and one... Natalie Worthington," the man looked at his parchments. "Seen just a few days ago having an intimate dinner together."

"An intimate dinner?" Harry asked him. "In a pub? I can do better than that, can't I, Hermione?"

"Mmm yes you can," Hermione said with a smile. "Much, much better..."

Harry kissed her forehead. "Now, I hope that you'll excuse my wife and me. We must be getting back to work."

A barrage of questions followed them as Harry and Hermione set back off towards the Ministry. Once they'd managed to lose the reporters they both turned to each other and laughed. "Let them eat that for dinner," Hermione grinned.

"That was the most fun I've had with reporters since that night you and I went dancing with Luna for the Quibbler."

"I know," Hermione laughed. "It's nice to see them so..."

"Disappointed?" Harry suggested. "Lost?"

"Exactly," Hermione laughed. "Well at least I'll go back to work in a better mood than I thought I would."

"Me too," Harry said chuckling.

"We'll figure out what to do about Ethan when I get home later on," Hermione said. "Like I said before- I don't like punishing him but he's got to know what's right and wrong."

"Right," Harry said sombrely. "I should be home around five."

"I'll get home as soon as I can," Hermione replied. "I have a meeting at four with the Italian Minister for Magic but he's usually quite quick about things."

"I'll give Greta the night off," Harry said. "We can have a nice family dinner. Just you, me, Ethan and Queen Saffron."

"That sounds fabulous," Hermione said. "I'll see you as soon as I can get home then."

"I'm not letting you get away that easily," he said pulling her to him for one last kiss.

"Mmmm Harry," Hermione pressed her lips to his quite hard. "I love you."

"I love you," he whispered. "See you at home."

"Right," Hermione stole one last kiss before they parted ways in the lobby.

As Harry walked back toward his office, Ethan's words echoed over and over in his head.

"Is everything all right?" Natalie asked as Harry came back in. "Is your son okay?"

"Depends on your definition of 'okay'," Harry said dryly. "He got into a fight with some older boys."

"He did?" Natalie's eyes grew wide. "Did he win at least?"

Harry nodded. "Yes, he did. Apparently these two boys were saying some bad things about Hermione and me. Ethan let them have it." He shook his head. "You know as a dad, I'm supposed to tell him that what he did was wrong. But, I'm still proud of him for defending himself like that."

Natalie smiled. "I can see that," she said. "You told me he was a lot like you."

"Too much apparently," Harry said with a laugh. "I tried to tell him that it was wrong, but he kept arguing with us that he couldn't understand how it was wrong when he fought, but okay when I did. He's a lot like his mum in that respect, too."

"I hope he doesn't get into too much trouble, if I may say so," Natalie said gingerly as she handed him some reports that had come in while he was gone.

"He's going to have to serve detention at school," Harry said taking the reports. "And we've added a week to his grounding."

"Ouch," Natalie said. "Well I'm sure you have to do what you have to do, as parents. I'd probably be the same way."

Harry smiled at her. "How are things with Tristan?"

"Going slowly but surely," Natalie said, blushing a little. "I didn't want to take things too fast after... you know."

"He seems like a good kid," Harry said. "He's still not scared of Neville, is he?"

Natalie laughed. "Not really, no."

"Good," Harry said with a laugh. "He's really harmless."

"You're sort of harmless too," Natalie said. "Not in a bad way," she added quickly. "But you were so gruff that first day that I was afraid to even breathe."

"I was taking out my bad mood on you," he said apologetically. "We were having all that trouble with Saffy and then Lupin announces the change in partners. I shouldn't have taken it out on you, Natalie. You didn't deserve it."

"It's okay," Natalie smiled at him. "You're a really great mentor. I'll be sorry when we're done with this final bit of the training."

"Well I'll always be around if you need someone to talk to or ask questions," Harry said. "You're going to be a great Auror, Natalie."

She blushed again. "You really think so?"

"I do," he said smiling at her.

"Wait until I tell my friend Kate you said that," Natalie laughed. "She always takes the Mickey out of me for going into the Auror business."

"And what does Kate do?" Harry asked.

"She's trying to model," Natalie rolled her eyes.

"You should meet my wife's cousin then," Harry said. "She's always trying to take the Mickey out of me for pretty much everything."

"Is she a model too?" Natalie asked curiously.

"No," Harry said. "She's a fashion designer. You ever hear of Lavender Brown?"

Natalie's eyes widened. "You're related to Lavender Brown? I'm not a fashion guru but I LOVE her designer robes!"

"She's Hermione's cousin," Harry replied. "And I love her to death, but she drives me mad sometimes."

Natalie smiled. "She's very talented. And she married that Muggle director didn't she?"

"Seamus," Harry said. "They live in California, but she's going to be staying with us the next couple of weeks while he's away filming."

"You mean she's here in London?" Natalie's eyes widened again.

"Not yet," Harry said. "She's going to be here in a couple of days time."

"That's really cool though," Natalie said. "Kate would die if she knew about this."

Harry remembered Hermione mentioning something about having Natalie over for dinner some night. "How would you like to come over for dinner this weekend? You could meet Lavender and really make Kate see green."

"Are you serious?" Natalie squeaked.

"Completely," Harry said laughing at her enthusiasm. "You can meet Lavender and my son will want you to see the fort he built in the nursery."

"Your son built a fort in the nursery?" Natalie laughed. "What for?"

"Long story short---he wanted to protect his little sister from the monsters that used to live under his bed," Harry explained. "But if you ask me, he wanted something constructive to do while he was grounded."

"I see," Natalie grinned. "At least he's making the best of his time."

"Well, if you'd like to come, we'd be happy to have you," Harry said.

"I'll be there with bells on," Natalie said as a stack of new reports appeared in her box.

Harry smiled and looked at his watch. "Do you think you could handle those by yourself? I need to meet with Lupin."

"Sure," Natalie said. "There aren't too many of them and I need the practise with processing them through."

"Thanks, Natalie," Harry said. "I'll see you in a bit."

"No problem," Natalie said, setting to work.

Later that evening, Harry returned home to find Greta helping Ethan with his homework. Ethan didn't even look up as Harry walked into the kitchen. "Hello, Harry," Greta said warmly.

"Evening Greta," Harry smiled at her. "Hi Ethan." he tousled his son's hair.

Ethan mumbled something in response, but didn't look up and meet his father's gaze.

"I was just about to start dinner," Greta said. "But Ethan wanted some help with his maths."

"I can do that," Harry replied.

"Start dinner or help Ethan with his maths?" Greta asked teasingly.

"I can do the maths bit," Harry laughed. "Or try to at least."

"That would be great," Greta said. "Were you in the mood for anything in particular?"

"Anything you make is fine with me," Harry replied.

"I'll just get started then," Greta said with a smile.

"What seems to be the trouble with your maths?" Harry asked once Greta was in the kitchen.

"Greta was just checking behind me," Ethan replied.

"How was the rest of your day?" Harry asked.

Ethan shrugged. "It was okay."

"Did those blokes bug you any more?" Harry asked, sliding into the seat next to his son.

"No," Ethan said shaking his head.

"Well that's good," Harry said. "I'd check that one over again." he pointed to one of the equations. "Your mum would probably do a better job than me."

Ethan nodded. "I'm glad that they don't have maths at Hogwarts. They don't, right?"

"They have Arithmancy but that's an elective course," Harry replied.

"Mum took that," Ethan said. "And something called Ancient Runes. She said it was fascinating. But that was at Beauxbatons. I'm so glad I don't have to go there. I only want to go to Hogwarts."

"Why's that?" Harry asked curiously.

"Because it's where you went Dad," Ethan said simply. "I'm going to be just like you. I'm going to be a Seeker for my house team and I'm going to be Head Boy. And I'm going to be an Auror..."

"Are you now?" Harry asked. "Being an Auror is hard work."

"I can do it," Ethan said. "Maybe someday, you and I could work together!"

Harry smiled at his son. "Sure," he chuckled.

Ethan beamed at his father. "And we'll make sure nothing bad ever happens to Mum or Saffy or Julie."

"That's right," Harry agreed.

"I wish you could have seen me today, Dad," Ethan said. "Those boys were older and taller, but I let them have it."

"So I heard." Harry replied. "You gave one a bloody nose and the other you got him in the gut."

"I did," Ethan said nodding. "They deserved it, too. Mrs. Grey had me apologise but I didn't mean it."

"Your mum really wants to talk about this when she gets home." Harry said.

"She's really mad at me," Ethan said frowning.

"Nah," Harry said. "She just doesn't want you to think violence is the answer for everything."

"You'd have fought them too, Dad," Ethan argued. "If they'd said those things about Mum in front of you."

Harry couldn't deny this. "I know Ethan- but there also might come a time when you'll be out of your league."

"Were you?" Ethan asked. "Ever out of your league?"

"Oh sure," Harry said. "Back when I was younger, before I knew about magic- my cousin Dudley used to beat me up all the time."

"But you got him back when you set that snake on him," Ethan said laughing as he remembered the story. He'd never met his dad's cousin, but he could just picture it perfectly his head.

"Yes," Harry grinned at the memory. "But you can't use magic yet, and you're not exactly the biggest guy around. And even though you had a lucky break today there might come a time when you'll be up against someone even bigger and more powerful." he ruffled Ethan's messy hair. "Your mum and I just don't want to see you get hurt."

"What should I do next time something like that happens though?" Ethan asked. "When someone says something bad about Mum or you. What do you do?"

"Ignore them," Harry said. "Once the fuss dies down and you don't react, people will grow bored with teasing you."

"Easier said than done," Ethan muttered.

"Don't I know it," Harry said. "But you have to ignore them Ethan. You can't go around hitting everyone."

"Neither can you," Ethan pointed out with a sly grin.

"Smart arse," Harry replied.

"Just like you," Ethan said laughing.

"A chip off the old block," Harry said in satisfaction.

"I didn't mean what I said at school," Ethan said. "About being normal. I mean, I'd like it if we didn't show up in the papers all the time, but I like being in our family, Dad."

"We like having you in the family," Harry teased.

Ethan grinned. "I should finish with my homework. I wanted to work on my fort some more before dinner."

"What else could you possibly do to that thing?" Harry asked.

"I'm adding a moat," Ethan said. When he saw the look on his father's face, he laughed. "I'm not using real water."

"He was," Greta said as she cut up some vegetables. "I nearly drowned when I went to change Saffy."

"Ethan James," Harry began.

"I cleaned it up," Ethan said sheepishly.

"How did you get real water in your sister's room?" Harry asked confusedly.

"It was brilliant, Dad," Ethan said. "I took out some of the wood on the floor and cut up some of my old buckets to make this really amazing...what? Why are you looking at me like that?"

"You did WHAT to the floor?" Harry asked sharply.

"Nothing," Ethan said quickly. "And Greta made me clean everything up, Dad. You can't even tell I did anything. Honest!"

"I'd better go take a look," Harry drew out his wand.

"I'll come with," Ethan said crossing his fingers.

"Good idea," Harry said grimly.

Upstairs in her nursery, Saffron was looking up at her mobile, oblivious to massive fort her older brother had built around her crib. She was cooing as her father and Ethan came into the nursery.

"See," Ethan said. "Saffy likes it!"

"Ethan," Harry shook his head and peered down at the floor. Other than a few cracks in the wood, it didn't appear to have been moved around at all.

"I told you," Ethan said walking over to the crib and looking at his sister. "Tell Dad how much you like it, Saf."

"That's not the point here." Harry said. "If I catch you tearing anything else up--"

"I know," Ethan said frowning. "At this rate, I won't get to fly until after I graduate from Hogwarts."

"Relax," Harry said. "I'm not going to ground you any more."

"Can I get that in writing?"

"Don’t' get smart," Harry warned.

"I think I'll just go and finish my homework," Ethan said, making a hasty retreat out of the nursery. The music on Saffron's mobile stopped playing and she started to cry.

"Come here baby girl," Harry lifted his daughter out of the crib. He wrinkled his nose. "Well I know why you're crying this time..." he carried her over to the changing table and soon had a new diaper on her.

"MUM'S HOME!" Harry heard Ethan call out downstairs.

"Shall we go see Mummy?" Harry asked, making a goofy face at his daughter.

Hermione smiled when they came into the kitchen. "I thought you were cooking tonight?" she asked Harry.

"She wanted to start dinner while I was trying to help Ethan with his maths assignment." Harry replied, bouncing Saffron gently in his arms.

"You?" Hermione asked. "You hate maths."

"I know," Harry replied. "But I tried to help him. You might want to check over his answers," he said sheepishly.

"How about we go over it after dinner?" Hermione asked her son.

"Okay," Ethan said. "I think it's all right."

"I'm sure you did fine," Hermione said. "Your father and I wanted to ---"

"It's okay Mum," Ethan cut her off. "Dad and I already talked about it."

"Oh you did?" Hermione raised an eyebrow at her husband. "Without me?"

"I was going to wait," Harry tried to explain.

"We just sort of talked Mum," Ethan said. "I know I can't go around hitting people. Dad told me to just ignore if people say bad things about you, even though I don't want to."

"He did, did he?" Hermione asked. She smiled at Harry.

"Yeah," Ethan replied.

"I had a good dad talk," Harry grinned back.

"Good," Hermione said kissing the top of Ethan's head.

"So I'm still grounded?" Ethan asked, crossing his fingers.

"You're still grounded," Hermione said. "But you might get time off for good behaviour. If you play your cards right..."

"Really?" Ethan brightened.

"If you play your cards right," Hermione reminded him.

"What do I have to do?" Ethan asked excitedly.

"Be a good boy," Hermione said. "Not get into anymore fights. Not go tearing things up..."

Ethan paled and whispered a silent prayer that his dad wouldn't say anything about the moat.

Harry nodded. "I agree with your mum."

Ethan grinned. "Okay, Mum. I promise." He gathered up his books and parchment and mouthed the words "thank you" to his father.

Harry smiled at his son and hoped his wife wouldn't notice the cracked boards upstairs. He made a mental note to blend them in with his wand later. "Your daughter wants to say hello to you," he said, passing Saffron over to Hermione.

“Hello baby,” Hermione kissed Saffy’s soft little head. “She’s just what I needed.”

“Me too,” Harry agreed with a smile.

9. Chapter 9

Authors’ note: Thank you to the loyal ones who have read and reviewed. We both appreciate that very much. Summer is a busy time for everyone and we understand that people are busy but if you do read, please take a moment to let us know what you think? Don’t make us beg! Okay, we’re begging. Please? Please review?

In this chapter, you will get to see more of those Meddling Malfoys as well as an appearance of someone you’ve not seen or heard from in quite some time…enjoy!

CHAPTER NINE

"Where is that awful girl with our breakfast?" Narcissa asked haughtily. Ginny rolled her eyes. Ever since they'd arrived, Narcissa had done nothing but complain. The woman wasn't satisfied with anything.

"She could at least bring the newspapers in," Draco said pushing back from his chair. He glared at his wife. "I don't know why you insisted on bringing that awful servant along. We could have just kept a house elf."

"Marisol is someone we can trust," Ginny said defensively.

"Thanks to Minister Mudblood, if we employed a house elf, we'd have to pay them wages," Lucius said angrily. "Paying a house elf?"

"It's ridiculous," Narcissa replied.

Marisol came into the dining room carrying a tray that was almost as big as she was. None of the Malfoys offered to help her.

"It's about bloody time," Draco said causing Marisol to nearly lose her balance.

"I'm sorry sir," she whispered. "The toast burned and--"

"I'm not interested in excuses," Ginny snapped. "Just give us our bloody meal already."

"Yes mistress," Marisol said, her hands shaking as she set the plates before them.

"Where's today's newspaper?" Lucius barked at her.

"Right here sir," she squeaked, pulling it out of her apron pocket.

"You bring that in first from now on," Draco ordered.

"Yes sir," Marisol said weakly.

Narcissa looked at Ginny. "You hired that girl?"

"Yes," Ginny replied testily. "I did."

Narcissa huffed, but didn't say anything which only infuriated Ginny more.

"What's in the papers?" Lucius said as he buttered his toast. "The fall of the House of Potter?"

Draco didn't answer but his silvery grey eyes were dark in anger.

The front page of the Daily Prophet had a picture of Harry and Hermione Potter snogging in broad daylight looking as happy as could be.

Ginny had to bite her lower lip at the look of rage on her father in law's face. It was mirrored by Narcissa's, and she almost excused herself to leave the room so she could laugh aloud.

"Rumours of discourse in the Potters' marriage seem to be just that," Draco read aloud. "The happy couple were caught canoodling just outside their son's school."

"But how can that be?" Narcissa asked her husband. "You said you took care of all that!"

"I did," Lucius hissed at her. "Our son obviously fell down on the job."

"How the hell did I figure into this?" Draco snapped. "I've only followed your lead you won't let me do anything else!"

"We had them, Draco!" Lucius said angrily, thumping the paper. "We had them! And he always finds some way to land on his feet."

"This wasn't Draco's fault," Ginny said loyally. "He and I have both done everything you've asked!"

"Stay out of this girl," Lucius' eyes were angry slits.

Ginny looked to her husband to take up for her, but as usual he was silent.

"Come on Draco," Lucius threw his napkin down. "We don't have time for breakfast. We have work to do."

"I have rounds at nine," Draco reminded him.

"I'll have you there in time," Lucius said coldly.

"Fine," Draco said throwing his napkin down and without a goodbye to his wife or mother, followed his father out of the dining room.

Ginny stared after them in disbelief.

"Really," Narcissa said with a disdainful sniff. "These eggs are entirely overcooked. I guess I'm going to have to help you find some decent help."

"I don't need your help," Ginny snapped at her.

"Obviously you do," Narcissa also stood up. "Come on then. No time like the present. And we can get something decent to eat in town."

"Fine," Ginny said resigning herself to spending another awful day with her mother-in-law. "I just need to get dressed."

"Wear something tasteful, Ginevra," Narcissa lectured. "You need to start acting like a lady."

"I act just fine!" Ginny whirled around. "Maybe if you'd look just a LITTLE harder you could see my good qualities!"

"Such as?"

"I'm gorgeous," Ginny said. "I DO have a good fashion sense. I look good on Draco's arm. My son, wretch that he's become, is quite famous... need I go on?"

"You had nothing to do with Nicholas' being famous," Narcissa said. "From what I can tell you had very little to do with his upbringing."

"I did so," Ginny nearly stamped her foot.

"Oh yes," Narcissa said sarcastically. "You hired his nanny."

"I'm going to get dressed," Ginny said through clenched teeth.

"Don't take too long," Narcissa said to Ginny's retreating back.

Ginny slammed the door behind her, cast a silencing charm and then let out a frustrated scream. She swore she'd speak to Draco about having to spend every day with his mother- she wanted him to be around more. She found a set of dress robes that she knew would please Narcissa and set a spell that would arrange her hair in long waves.

Since Luna was working on a story on Harry and Hermione for the Quibbler, she'd decided to let Maddie and R.J. spend the day with Arthur and Molly. Molly needed to go into Diagon Alley and Maddie was very happy to tag along. She'd decided it was Dolly's birthday and she needed to buy her pixie a nice present.

"Do you think Dolly would like a new outfit?" Maddie asked her grandmother.

"Oh I'm sure she would sweetheart," Molly smiled at her granddaughter. "Something red."

"That's what I was thinking too Nana!" Maddie said gripping Molly's hand.

"How lovely," Molly said. "Let's try Lavender's shop all right? I think your Uncle Harry told me she's here this week and I bet she can find something for us!"

"Maybe she could shrink one of the robes for me," Maddie said excitedly.

Molly smiled at her granddaughter as she steered RJ's pram over in the direction of the small dress shoppe.

Lavender looked up in surprise when she saw them come inside.

"Madeline Molly Weasley," Lavender said running toward the little girl. "You get more adorable every time I see you!"

"Hi Lavender!" Maddie ran to give her a hug. "You look pretty too!"

Lavender giggled. "Thank you. Hello, Molly."

"Hello dear," Molly smiled at the young woman. "How are you? It's been far too long since you've come for a visit!"

"I know," Lavender said apologetically. "But with Seamus away filming, I thought I'd spend some time with my old friends and family. You'll probably be sick of me you'll be seeing me so much."

"I doubt that could happen," Molly gave her a kindly smile.

"Guess what!" Maddie bubbled. "It's Dolly's birthday and I have to buy her some robes!"

"Tell you what," Lavender said kneeling down in front of the little girl. "In honour of Dolly's birthday, how about you pick out any set of robes that you want and I'll use a shrinking charm to fit it down to Dolly's size. And you won't have to spend your money."

Maddie's blue eyes brightened. "Really?" she asked happily.

"Really," Lavender said taking Maddie's hand. "How about you and I go and look and let your Nana take a rest?"

"That would be great, Lavender," Molly said gratefully.

"No problem," Lavender sent her a smile as she conjured up a comfortable sofa. "Have a seat and we'll be right back!"

Molly sat down and smiled as she watched her youngest granddaughter follow Lavender.

"She likes red," Maddie explained. "It matches the little marks she has on her feet!"

"Your pixie has excellent taste," Lavender said grinning at Maddie. "I just happen to have some red robes right over here."

"Ooh," Maddie's eyes grew wide. "Those are beautiful!"

"I also have them in your size too," Lavender said. "You and Dolly could match!"

"Really?" Maddie clapped her hands in excitement. "You're the best!" she gave Lavender a smothering hug. "My mummy and daddy will be so surprised!"

"Yes they will," Lavender said with a laugh.

Ginny pushed open the door to the shop. She hadn't even noticed the name on the door. Narcissa was barking commands at her and she'd been so ready to be out of that horrible woman's sight, she'd walked into the first shop she could find.

"I'm sure we'll find something passable in here," Narcissa spoke coldly. "It's about time you had something decent."

"If you say one more derogatory word about me so help me..." Ginny started to say.

"Ginevra?" Molly asked getting to her feet. "Is that you, sweetheart?"

Ginny spun around at the familiar voice. "Mum?" she asked, hardly believing what she was seeing.

"It is you," Molly said beaming at her daughter. "Oh, sweetheart!"

Ginny couldn't contain her shock. "What are you doing here?" she asked, ignoring Narcissa's snort of disgust.

"I took Maddie and R.J. shopping," Molly replied warmly. "Maddie's buying some new robes for her pixie."

"Her pixie?" Ginny raised an eyebrow.

"Maddie has a Cornish pixie," Molly explained. "When you come for Christmas, you'll have to see it."

"Coming home for Christmas?" Narcissa asked, her eyes glinting maliciously.

"Mum," Ginny said quietly. "I never said I was coming home for the holidays."

"I know it's a little early to plan so far ahead," Molly said quickly. "But your father and I would love to have you there. Your brothers would be happy to see you, of course."

"I'm not going anywhere without Draco," Ginny said coolly.

"I-I don't know how your son would feel about that," Molly said. "Nicholas was very hurt by what you did to him last summer, Ginevra."

"What I did to him?" Ginny asked angrily. "He was the one who left!"

"But you sacked poor Greta," Molly reminded her. "He didn't want to leave her out in the cold, Ginny. He's much too noble for something like that!"

"Noble my arse," Ginny replied. "Mum this trip down memory lane is lovely but do you have a point here?"

"Ginny!" Molly said taken aback.

Narcissa looked on with a satisfied smirk.

"Mum I've got other things I have to do today," Ginny said. "I have to find new robes."

"But--" Molly said her face crumpling up in sadness.

A small part of Ginny felt bad that she was making her mother unhappy but she also knew that her family had deserted her the moment she'd gone to Hillsdale and took up with Draco.

"Look Nana!" Maddie came out in the new red robes, holding a smaller set in her hands for Dolly. "We can match-- Nana why are you crying?"

Molly wiped at her eyes. "I'm just sad, love."

The little girl was instantly reminded of the dream she'd had a few days before and it was only verified as she saw her father's sister standing there. "You made my Nana cry," she accused, her blue eyes going dark.

Ginny opened her mouth to respond, but before she could do so, Maddie stomped down hard on Ginny's foot.

"OW!" Ginny yelped. "You little swot!"

"I don't like you!" Maddie said angrily as Lavender began to laugh.

"What on earth are you doing here?" Ginny asked, noticing Lavender for the first time.

"This is my shop," Lavender said grinning at her.

"YOUR shop?" Ginny wrinkled her nose. "Well I don't want to buy anything of YOURS!"

"Then by all means, get out of my shop," Lavender said sweetly, mainly for Maddie's benefit.

"And don't come back," Maddie added from where she'd attached herself to Molly's waist, trying to give her Nana a hug as Molly used a tissue to try and compose herself.

Ginny angrily stalked out of the shop not bothering to see if Narcissa followed.

"Are you okay Nana?" Maddie asked. "Don't cry!"

"I'm all right sweetheart," Molly said, sitting back down on the sofa. "It's just- I can't believe she's turned out the way she has," she explained to Lavender who nodded sympathetically.

Lavender wished she could say what she really thought of Ginny, but out of respect for Molly she kept silent. She couldn't imagine it was easy to see your only daughter grow up to become...a Malfoy.

"What on earth are they doing back here?" Lavender asked instead.

"I wish I knew," Molly wiped at her eyes.

"Nana, please don't cry," Maddie's blue eyes were also filled with tears. "I don't like when you're sad."

"I know," Molly said forcing a smile. "I don't like it either."

"RJ doesn't like it too," Maddie looked at her little brother, who saw his sister crying and promptly burst into tears of his own. "It's okay RJ," she tried to soothe. "That mean lady won't be back."

Lavender smiled and wished she could agree. But something told her that trouble lay ahead for all of them if Draco and Ginny Malfoy were back in town.

*** *** ***

It was a rather dreary, drizzly Saturday and Julie would have liked nothing more than to sit in front of the fireplace at her own home with Nick beside her but Chiaki had asked her to come over and help with some wedding arrangements.

"Can I just say yet again that I'm glad Maddie talked you into pink?" Julie teased. "That orange you had us in was really atrocious Chi."

"It wasn't really orange," Chiaki said defensively. "It was more a pastel peach colour."

"It was orange," Julie laughed at her as they turned a page in the bridal hairstyle magazine they were browsing through.

"Blokes sure do have the easy part in weddings don't they?" Nick asked, to say he was bored would have been putting it mildly. "All we have to do is show up and make sure our hair looks decent."

"Rub it in," Chiaki gave her half brother a glare.

"You don't have to go to all that trouble you know," Nick said. "You only have yourself to blame."

"You may be my brother but I'm still older," Chiaki said. "So shut up while you're still ahead."

Nick held up his hands in defeat.

Julie wondered if perhaps now might be a good time to let Chiaki know about Draco Malfoy's return.

"Chi?" she asked almost hating to put a damper on her friend's happiness.

"Hmm?" Chiaki asked, once again absorbed in the magazine as the model on the page spun around gracefully.

Julie shot Nick a look which he instantly understood- they had talked that morning about whether or not to tell Chiaki about Draco Malfoy being back in town.

"We have some good news and some bad news," Nick said giving his half-sister a smile. "Which do you want to hear first?"

Chiaki made a face. "How bad is the bad news?" she asked.

"Well it might not be all that bad depending on your perspective," Nick replied.

"What is it?" Chiaki asked.

"Um, well the good news is that yours truly is about to go on tour," Nick said with a grin. "We've sold out nearly all the venues."

"That is good news!" Chiaki grinned back at him. "Congratulations little bro!"

"I'm really excited," Nick said. "This is the first time I've gone out on my own without the band. I mean, I have a band for the tour, but it's me. You know...by myself."

"I'm sure you'll do fine," Chiaki said.

"The only thing bad is that he'll be gone for two weeks," Julie said wistfully.

"Is that the bad news?" Chiaki asked hopefully. "That Julie will be without the love of her life?"

"I wish that was all," Nick sobered. "Well the bad news... our father is here in London."

Chiaki laughed. "Haha, Nicholas. Very funny."

"It's true," Julie said softly. "He's working at St. Mungo's and Greta saw Ginny in one of the shops in Diagon Alley."

The smile on Chiaki's face fell. "No...you can't be serious, Jules."

"It's true," Nick said putting a hand on Chiaki's arm. "But you know this might not be that bad..."

"How can it not be bad?" Chiaki asked, shaking her head.

"Well, you did say you wanted a unique wedding right?" Nick asked her, a serious expression on his face. Chiaki looked at him bemusedly and nodded.

"Well," Nick said grinning at her. "You can have Neville and dear old Draco give you away. Picture it now; you're walking down the aisle with both your dads..."

Chiaki reached behind her and hit him upside the head with a pillow. "You are NOT funny Nicholas," she frowned at him.

"Really Nick," Julie's mouth was also turned down. "That was a really ill timed joke."

"You're right," Nick said sheepishly. "I'm sorry, but you know how it is with my father. You either laugh or cry."

"Right," Chiaki rolled her eyes. "Well... I guess it really doesn't affect me THAT much considering he wouldn't have anything to do with me at Hillsdale last year."

"Just be glad you've never met dear old Granddad," Nick said. "You did hear that he got out of Azkaban, right?"

"Mum and Dad were talking about it," Julie said. "But you hadn't met him either had you Nick? I thought he was in Azkaban before you were born?"

"He was," Nick said. "But I heard all about him from my mum. She was always terrified of him. And my Uncle Ron's told me some stuff about him too."

"He sounds just lovely," Chiaki said sarcastically.

"Well, I think that his release from prison and my parents' return to London are not just coincidental," Nick said.

"Of course it isn't," Cho joined them.

"You knew too, Mum?" Chiaki asked. "Why didn't you say anything?"

"I just heard from your father," Cho replied. "Apparently it was all kept rather hush in the Ministry. Harry and Hermione didn't even say anything." she sat back on the sofa. "Now we know why those new articles are cropping up about them in the papers."

"Thanks to dear old dad," Nick said sarcastically.

"This can't be easy for you either," Chiaki said to her brother.

"I'm used to it," Nick said with a shrug.

"Well they don't know we live in Guilford," Julie said, her hand on Nick's arm. "So that helps keep us a bit anonymous to them."

"Something tells me, I'm not the reason they're back," Nick told her. "They washed their hands of me when I left Sydney."

"And you're better off for it Nick," Cho said to him.

"Don't I know it," Nick said smiling at her.

"Let's get back to this," Chiaki said. "I don't want to waste my time talking about Draco Malfoy."

"Now that's the best idea you've ever had," Nick said.

"Sod off," Chiaki replied.

"Do you kiss Toshio with that mouth?" Nick asked cheekily.

"Do you kiss Jules with yours?" Chiaki retorted.

"You two are definitely brother and sister," Cho said laughing.

Julie laughed too. "That goes without saying," she squeezed Nick's hand.

"So, are you enjoying your last few days of peace and quiet?" Nick asked Cho, glad to be talking about something other than his father. "Your girls will be getting home from Hogwarts soon, right?"

"Soon enough, yes." Cho replied. "It's always lovely to have them home but yes, I do enjoy the peace and quiet. Although it hasn't really been that way with the wedding of the century coming up soon." she smiled at her daughter.

"The wedding of the century wasn't mine," Chiaki said. "It was Uncle Harry and Aunt Hermione's."

"You couldn't remember that," Cho said. "You were only around a year and a half old at that time. And you slept on your father's lap the whole reception," she laughed.

"Yes, but I've read all the old clippings," Chiaki said giggling. "Some of those headlines were so cheesy. 'The Boy Who Married'. 'Potter Takes A Wife'. "

Julie grinned. "A lot of hearts were broken when Dad married Mum." she laughed. "Right Aunt Cho?"

Cho laughed. "Don't look at me."

"Oh come on, you always say that Aunt Hermione swept Uncle Harry off his feet," Chiaki teased. "I should think it would have been the other way around. Uncle Harry's a smooth talker."

"Oh yeah," Cho said sarcastically. "Do you want to know how he asked me out the first time?"

"Yes," Julie replied immediately, giggling.

"We'd just had a Quidditch match," Cho explained. "In which we nearly beat Gryffindor. So Mr. Smooth Talker comes up to me afterwards and I thought he was going to gloat. But instead he just stares at me and looks as if he's going to be sick. And I was like 'Yes?'. And he says to me, 'Hogsmeade. You. Me. Okay?'."

Nick, Chiaki and Julie burst into laughter. "Oh that sounds like Dad," Julie wiped her eyes.

"Very romantic, eh?" Cho asked laughing.

"According to Mum he's gotten loads better," Julie said.

"Well, they didn't really date," Chiaki pointed out. "Not really. I mean they had that whole star-crossed love thing going on and then they moved in together."

"That's true," Cho said with a smile. "And there isn't anyone better for him. Or her, for that matter."

"Too right," Julie agreed.

"Just like there's no one better than Toshio for me!" Chiaki said gleefully.

Nick groaned. "If she's going to get all mushy over Toshio, I'm going to have to leave."

"You are not," Julie said, pulling on his arm.

"Jules, please I'm begging you," Nick said pleadingly. "Let me go. I can't take this. My masculinity has already taken a really big hit from sitting here looking at bridal magazines."

"Poor baby," Julie said with a laugh.

*** *** ***

It had been over twenty years since Gordon Devereaux had stepped outside the grounds of St. Mungo's hospital. His handsome features had diminished over the years and his skin was quite sallow and he had grown quite gaunt and frail looking. He was a shadow of the man he used to be.

He didn't say much to anyone. His healers had tried over the years to make some sort of breakthrough, but he only muttered nonsensical phrases when he spoke. The walls of his room were bare but the table in his room was cluttered with books. He read all the time. It was in these books that he could make some sort of escape away from his madness; of his thoughts.

Draco took in Gordon's surroundings with a small sneer. "How disgusting," he thought, wrinkling his nose at the smell.

Gordon looked up at the strange man, wondering who this person was. He grunted a hello, but sat back down on his bed, rocking back and forth like he always did when he was faced with something or someone unfamiliar.

"Gordon Devereaux?" Draco asked coolly, fingering the recording cube in his white robe pocket.

Gordon didn't say anything, just continued to rock slowly back and forth.

"Are you Gordon Devereaux?" Draco demanded.

"Yes... Gordon," Gordon replied in a weak voice.

"Thank you," Draco replied sharply. "Can you tell me why you're here?" he wanted to get as much on this recording as possible to use it against the Mudblood.

Gordon stopped and looked up at the strange, unfamiliar man. "Don't know. Don't know you. Don't know why."

"I'm a healer here," Draco said. "I've just started work and I heard about you and wanted to come say hello."

"Her," Gordon muttered.

"Her?" Draco asked, keeping the glee from his tone. "Her... who?"

"Her....Herm," Gordon choked out, starting to rock back and forth again.

"Hermione?" Draco finished, his eyes glinting coldly. "You're in here because of Hermione Granger?"

Gordon's eyes darkened and he looked up at Draco. "She...she's....MINE!"

"I don't want her," Draco said with a snarl. "I don't want a Mudblood!"

Gordon jumped up from the bed and seized Draco's robes. "DON'T TALK! NOT ABOUT HER!"

"Watch yourself, Devereaux," Draco pushed him easily back onto the bed.

Gordon nodded and struggled to catch his breath.

With a nasty smile on his face, Draco reached into his pocket. "Do you read the Daily Prophet anymore?" he asked, pushing a copy of the latest issue in Gordon's face.

Gordon looked down at the paper and his expression darkened again as he watched the photograph of Harry and Hermione kissing.

"No," Gordon whispered. "No. No. No. No. No."

"Yes," Draco nodded. "Did Hermione lead you on Gordon?" he asked his tone friendly and concerned. "Did she make you think she'd be yours and then she turned her back on you for Potter?"

"He made her!" Gordon said not able to tear his eyes away from the paper.

"He made her do what?" Draco asked.

"Leave," Gordon said simply. "Leave me. He made...her."

"How?" Draco asked his excitement barely under control. The Minister drove this man to insanity- he could see the headlines now!

"School...she and me...tight," Gordon said dropping the paper to the floor. "He...changed....her. Tart. My sweet."

"So you were both in love and he stole her away?" Draco asked, kneeling in front of the broken man.

"Yes," Gordon said quietly. "Her. Away."

Draco nodded. "As I thought. And they had you committed to keep you away right?"

"Potter," Gordon said nodding. "Harry did it."

"But she did too didn't she," Draco encouraged.

"Did she?" Gordon asked, sounding very much like an insecure little boy.

"You tell me," Draco narrowed his eyes.

Gordon let out a plaintive wail. "Never loved me."

Draco blew out a sharp sigh and used his wand to turn off the recording device. "You can keep the paper," he said evilly, picking it up and thrusting it at the sobbing man.

"Hermione," Gordon muttered over and over looking down at the paper, now crying uncontrollably. Draco couldn't hide the smile on his face as he walked out of Gordon's room. He was halfway down the hall when he saw the last person he wanted to see.

"What on earth are you doing down here?" Pansy demanded.

"Wouldn't you like to know?" Draco smirked, brushing past her but she caught his arm.

"You aren't assigned to this ward, Malfoy," she said to him. "Now, I'm going to ask you again, what were you doing here?"

"I don't have to answer to you," Draco said coldly.

"Whose room were you in?" Pansy asked him, not about to let him off the hook. "I've come along way from Hogwarts, Malfoy. I'm not one of your lapdogs anymore."

"Like you ever really were," Draco retorted. "I don't have to answer to you Parkinson- excuse me, Goyle." he laughed. "Why don't you go back to that goon of a husband and leave me alone."

"You're hiding something," Pansy said letting go of his arm. "And I'm going to find out what it is."

"Obviously you have nothing better to do," Draco said in a superior tone. "While aside from my job, I have a life."

"I have friends," Pansy told him icily. "And I don't like it when people I care about get hurt. You'd do well to remember that, Malfoy."

"I'm scared," Draco said with a false shiver. He laughed scornfully. "Now if you really don't mind, I have to start my rounds."

"Don't let me keep you," Pansy said giving him a fake smile. "Run along, Malfoy."

"Don't miss me too much," Draco sneered at her before leaving. He pulled the recording cube from his pocket and headed for the owlery to send it to his father.

******* **************** ***************

In an effort to present a united front, Harry and Hermione had asked Julie and Nick to come out for dinner with them in Diagon Alley that evening. The seven of them- including Greta, were seated around a circular table enjoying some curry and shepherd's pie and having quite a fun evening together.

"So little man," Nick said to Ethan. "How much longer before you're done serving your time?"

"I still have four days," Ethan replied. "But I've been good so I might get to fly this weekend."

"You have?" Greta asked teasingly.

Ethan shot his nanny a glance. "Haven't I?" his tone turned worried. "I've tried really hard to be good and--"

"She was only having a go at you," Julie said laughing.

"Everyone always has a go at me," Ethan said. "When Saffy's old enough I'll pin it all on her."

Julie rolled her eyes. "Ethan, you've just told mum and dad your secret!"

"You did it to me," Ethan said in his defence, taking another serving of rice.

"I did not," Julie said. "I was a perfect child. I never got in trouble."

Nick snorted. "I'll believe that when I see it." he grinned at his girlfriend.

"I bet you stayed in trouble," Julie said nudging him. "Didn't he, Greta?"

Greta laughed. "Nick was always good for me," she said and the blond let out a guffaw. "Now for his mother and father on the other hand..."

Nick groaned. "Let's not talk about them. This is a fun night, right?"

"Right," Harry said. "I, for one, am very happy that my entire family is here."

"Here, here!" Hermione said raising her glass. "This is just what we all needed."

"Really," Julie held up her glass. "I feel as if I haven't seen you all in weeks. It's good to be at home again even if only for a few hours." she loved Guilford but she missed London tremendously.

"It's good to have you home," Hermione said smiling at her daughter. "Both of you."

"Thank you," Nick said. "By the way, did Julie tell you about my tour I have coming up in a few weeks?"

"Oh, Nick!" Hermione exclaimed. "That's fantastic. Where are you going?"

"It's just around the UK," Nick explained. "Small tour, but my managers are really excited about it. So am I even though it means I'll be away from Jules."

"And he's promised he won't wear his leather trousers," Julie said grinning wickedly at him. "For anyone, but me."

Ethan rolled his eyes. "Gross Jules," he complained.

"Would you rather we talk about you and one Madeline Molly Weasley then?" Julie countered.

Ethan turned red. "Shut up," he muttered.

"Come on, Jules," Harry said. "Ethan."

Julie sent her little brother a wicked grin. "But it's so cute Dad. Josh wrote to me and said Luna told him Maddie dolled herself up for an hour when she found out they were going into Diagon Alley a few days ago just in case they ran into Ethan."

Hermione stifled a laugh. It had been cute to see Maddie with Ethan, but she knew that talking about it was only going to infuriate Ethan and he'd really behaved himself the last few days.

"Julie," Hermione said. "Be nice or we'll have to tell Nick here some things about you..."

"But I'm the perfect child," Julie sent her mother a grin.

Hermione nodded. "Yes, but I seem to remember my perfect child deciding when she was two years old that she didn't really like wearing clothes and walked around in nothing but her nappy all the time."

"Don't forget the time she and Chiaki decided to cut their own hair," Harry said wincing at the memory.

Julie turned red. "Fine, fine you've made your point," she said hastily.

"I want to hear more about this," Nick said laughing. "Tell us more, Hermione."

"That's quite all right," Julie said, casting a dark look at him. "I was only two. I'm sure Greta could give us some stories like that about Mr. World Famous sitting right here."

"Greta wouldn't dare," Nick said looking at his former nanny. "She's very loyal."

"Yes but her loyalty rests with us now," Harry teased him as he lifted Saffron from her little seat and began to feed her a bottle.

"She's told me some stuff about you," Ethan said smugly to Nick.

"What?" Nick stopped laughing. "Greta!"

"Just a few things," Greta said dismissively. "Nothing major, Nick. I promise."

Ethan laughed. "Yeah right Greta. You told me about the time he took his trousers down in front of--"

"Greta!" Nick cried, looking injured. "You told him about THAT?"

"It seems as if you and your boyfriend are both exhibitionists," Hermione joked to Julie. "No wonder you found each other."

"All right, all right," Julie's face was so red it was nearly purple. "Can we talk about something else?"

"How's Kiki?" Ethan asked. "She never comes by like she used to."

"She's been so busy," Julie replied. "Aunt Lav is over there now fitting her with her wedding robes."

"I miss her," Ethan said taking a dinner roll from the basket.

"Oooh," Julie teased. "Maddie has competition..."

"Jules shut up," Ethan said. "I don't like Maddie that way. And I never will!"

"Whatever you say little man," Julie said grinning at him.

Harry finished feeding Saffron and Hermione handed him a cloth.

"Wouldn't want her to mess up her Daddy's shirt," Hermione said softly.

"Thanks love," Harry said, putting it over his shoulder and patting his daughter's back gently. "Don't look to your right but they're taking photographs."

"I don't care about them," Hermione whispered, looking at her husband and baby daughter. Saffron rested her tiny head on Harry's chest. "She's crazy about you, you know that right?"

"I have that effect on women," Harry laughed. "You most of all." he kissed his daughter's head.

"Dad you're so sweet with her," Julie said.

"Ah, she makes it easy," Harry said with a grin.

"Not always," Hermione laughed. "But around him she just seems to melt."

"She's pretty enamoured of her big brother too," Greta said.

"That might have something to do with that massive fort," Julie said. "That was pretty impressive, Ethan. I have to admit."

"Thanks," Ethan said with a grin. "I want to make a moat but Dad won't let me."

"What's this about a moat?" Hermione asked. Harry opened his mouth to respond, but saw out of the corner of his eye, Draco and Ginny Malfoy walking toward them. The maitre d was showing them to a table and since the table directly opposite the Potters was empty, he had no doubt where the Malfoys would be seated.

"What is it?" Hermione asked as she noticed the change in Harry's demeanour.

Harry took a deep breath. "Nick..." he said quietly. "You may not want to turn around."

"Why?" Nick asked.

"Well, isn't this cosy?" Draco said icily. "Hello, Nicholas."

The hairs on the back of Nick's neck stood up and ice water trickled down his spine. He closed his eyes for a moment, hoping the voice didn't belong to who he thought it did.

"Hello... Father." Nick replied coolly.

"You let the help eat with you?" Ginny asked looking disdainfully at Greta.

"Greta's more than help," Nick retorted. "She's family."

"You obviously don't know the meaning of the word 'family'," Draco said coldly. "If you did, you wouldn't be sitting with...them."

"You can move along Malfoy," Harry said, his eyes narrowed. "We're not bothering you."

"Yes, Draco," Ginny said taking his arm. "Let's sit."

Hermione shook her head in disgust and Julie put a comforting hand on Nick's arm. "Don't let them see how much they bother you," she whispered to him.

"Right," Nick said forcing a smile. "Right."

"Bring us your finest champagne," Draco said to the waiter, looking deliberately at the Potters. "We have much to celebrate."

Harry refused to let Draco see how curious he made him. What on earth could they possibly have to celebrate?

"How long has it been since she had her brat?" Ginny asked her husband, not bothering to keep her voice down. "She gained so much weight..."

Hermione pressed her lips together tightly. "I'm going to kill her," she said softly.

"Hermione," Harry said, trying to keep her calm.

"You look beautiful Mum," Julie said smiling at her. "Ginny Malfoy wishes she looked as good as you do."

Hermione smiled at her daughter. "Thank you sweetheart."

Saffron started to get fussy and this only egged Draco and Ginny on more.

"Who brings a brat to a posh restaurant like this?" Draco asked.

"The kind of couple who thinks they have to flaunt their happy relationship in front of others, I guess," Ginny replied with a smirk.

Nick's hand clenched into a fist. "Why don't you both shut the hell up," he said angrily.

"Nick," Julie said putting her hand on his arm. "How about you and I take Saffron out for some fresh air?"

"Fine," Nick said tightly as Harry handed Saffron over to his eldest daughter.

"Goodbye Nicholas," Ginny said waving at her son as he trailed after Julie and Saffron. "He's really good at leaving."

Ethan saw his father clench his fists under the table and he couldn't believe his father hadn't done anything in response to what Nick's parents were saying.

"Just ignore them," Hermione said through clenched teeth. "We are not going to let them ruin our dinner."

"I'm trying not to," Harry said.

"They've always been like this," Greta added quietly. "Feeding off other people's misery."

"Don't I know it," Hermione said. She looked at her son. "So how was school today?"

"It was fine," Ethan replied. "I got full marks on my spelling exam!"

"That's fantastic!" Hermione said beaming at him. "I knew that you'd do great, Ethan."

Ethan grinned proudly. "I studied really hard for it."

Harry patted his son on the back. "Brilliant, Ethan. I'm really proud of you son."

"Thanks Dad." Ethan said happily.

"What do you think, Harry?" Hermione asked grinning at her husband. "Think we should let him off?"

Harry pretended to think it over for a moment. "I think he's been good," he replied. "What about you Greta?"

Greta pretended to mull this over. "Hmmm....I don't know...."

"Come on, Greta," Ethan pleaded.

Greta laughed. "I agree with your parents Ethan."

"Guess that means you're officially ungrounded," Harry mussed his son's hair.

"Really?" Ethan asked looking at him. "Really? Really?"

"Really," Hermione said giggling.

"Really," Ginny mocked from the next table.

The smile on Hermione's face faltered a bit.

"Laugh it up while you can Minister Mud--" Draco started to say.

"You finish that sentence Malfoy and you'll--" Harry retorted without thinking.

"Harry," Hermione said. "Not here."

"Not here, Harry," Ginny parroted.

"Would you like another black eye like the one I gave you before?" Hermione asked her coolly.

Ethan stared in disbelief at his mother. "You gave her a black eye, Mum?"

"Back at Hillsdale," Hermione said, giving Ginny an even glare.

"Cool," Ethan said looking in awe at Hermione. "Wow."

"We're almost done," Greta said as Nick and Julie came back in with a fast asleep Saffron.

"Good," Nick said sitting back down.

"Nick sang her to sleep," Julie said softly.

Hermione smiled at him. "That's very sweet of you Nick," she said appreciatively.

"I was happy to do it," Nick said.

The waiter came over to take Ginny and Draco's order.

"I'd be very careful with the gentleman at the next table," Draco said motioning to Harry. "He loses his cool pretty quickly. You'd better make sure you get everything right."

"I beg your pardon sir?" the waiter asked. "There's a problem with the Minister?" he turned away from their table. "Minister please be assured if there's anything we did wrong we will fix it for you immediately--"

"Everything's fine," Hermione assured him.

The poor man breathed a sigh of relief. "Thank you Minister."

"In fact, I think we'd like to see your dessert menu," Hermione said.

"Do you think that's wise, Hermione?" Ginny asked. "You know what they say, a moment on your lips, a lifetime on your hips."

"I love my wife's hips," Harry replied. "Along with everything else about her."

Ginny rolled her eyes. "Yes, we all know. We all know about your great love story. We all saw it in the papers."

Hermione smiled pitifully at her. "And it just gets better and better each day."

"Come on Granger," Ginny said pulling a face. "People are trying to eat here."

"You seem to keep forgetting that my last name is Potter," Hermione reminded her.

"You'll always be a Mudblood," Draco sneered.

"Father," Nick said turning around and glaring at him. "Leave them alone. If you have a problem with me, fine. But don't bring them into it."

Draco's eyes cooled as he looked at his son. "I have problems with all of you," he said.

"Of course you do," Nick said sarcastically.

"Just leave us alone Malfoy," Harry was gripping his fists so tightly his knuckles were white. "Go about your business and stop trying to ruin our night."

"You could always leave," Draco said trying to bait Harry. "No one's keeping you here. I'm sure your wife would even agree. You, the brats, my son, and the hired help could just go away. Far, far, away."

"Look who's talking," Nick retorted. "You both live in Sydney yet you're here in London acting as if you own the city."

"It's not an act," Ginny said, sharing a secret smile with her husband. "It's a dress rehearsal."

"For what, pray tell?" Hermione asked sarcastically.

"Wouldn't you like to know?" Ginny said giggling as she raised her glass. "Cheers!"

"Not especially," Hermione rolled her eyes. "Whatever the two of you have planned couldn't be of lesser interest to me."

"Not yet," Draco muttered under his breath.

"I beg your pardon?" Hermione asked sharply.

"Nothing," Draco said innocently. He looked at Hermione. "You know there is something I've always wanted to ask you, Granger."

"That's Potter," Hermione said through clenched teeth.

"Whatever," Draco said grinning evilly at her. "You and Potter...you technically outrank him. Does that carry over into the bedroom? You have to tell him what to do, how to do it?"

Ethan looked at his father; surely this would be what would set him off. Ethan was finding it very hard to stay in his seat himself. He could just imagine what this was like for his father.

Hermione got up from her place in the booth and walked calmly over to the Malfoys' table. "I would appreciate if you wouldn't talk like that in front of my son. Despite the fact that you both couldn't parent to save your lives doesn't mean that I'm the same way."

"And I would appreciate it if you'd get your filthy little Mudblood face out of mine," Draco said standing up and getting dangerously close to Hermione.

"Going to threaten the Minister in a public place Malfoy?" Hermione asked with a pleasant smile. "That'll give you a one way ticket to Azkaban."

Julie looked at her father. "Dad, we should just go. Can we please just go?"

"Right," Harry signalled for the tab quickly.

"Leaving so soon?" Ginny asked, already working on her third glass of champagne.

"We've been here awhile," Hermione said sweetly. "But you enjoy your champagne. Just don't get yourself so pissed this time that you fall and hit your head on the table." with that she turned and helped Harry pull Saffron's little robes on her and the group left the restaurant, Nick turning back to glare at his parents before walking out behind Julie.

"I can't believe you didn't hit him, Dad," Ethan said as they walked out into the night air. "I wanted to!"

"I wanted to Ethan," Harry said grimly. "Believe me."

"It's what Malfoy wanted," Hermione said shaking her head. "He was trying to get a rise out of you---out of all of us."

"He nearly succeeded," Nick said. "I hate him. I hate him so much."

"Oh Nick," Julie said taking his hand.

"That sounds horrible I know," Nick said, squeezing her fingers. "But he's an arse."

"I can't believe he's your dad," Ethan remarked. "You're not like him at all."

"Thanks little man," Nick managed a smile at the boy. "That's a real compliment."

As Ethan, Julie and Nick and Greta walked ahead of them, Hermione slowed her pace so she could walk with Harry who was pushing Saffron's pram.

"I was very proud of you tonight," she said softly.

He smiled at her. "It was hard to keep control," he confessed.

"Trust me I know," Hermione said laughing. "I wanted to knock her lights out."

"If Ethan hadn't been there they'd have another nasty article about us in the paper tomorrow." Harry said, pushing his messy hair out of his eyes.

"They really are horrible, horrible people," Hermione said shaking head. "It's been over 20 years since all this started. When are they going to get over it and grow up?"

Harry shook his head. "I feel sorry for Nick," he said, looking at the blond who was being comforted by his daughter.

"I know," Hermione said. "Just when he put all of this behind him, they show up again."

"And with Lucius Malfoy on the loose as well," Harry replied. "It worries me that we haven't really seen him. Working underneath was always his agenda and he'd show up for the grand finale."

Hermione shuddered. She'd never dealt directly with the elder Malfoy, but she'd heard enough stories over the past few years to know that he wasn't someone you wanted to tangle with.

"I just hate not knowing what they're trying to do," Hermione said quietly.

"That too," Harry put an arm around her. "I'm going to ask Lupin if we can trace his activities since he left Azkaban."

"Good idea," Hermione said. "I'm going to talk to Pansy and see if she knows what Malfoy's up to at St. Mungo's."

"Right," Harry kissed the side of her head. "I really did marry a smart witch," he grinned at her.

"Yes you did," Hermione winked at him. "Come on; let's get this little one home."

"I hope she sleeps through the night again," Harry said.

"Me too," Hermione said wondering if he was thinking what she was thinking.

"I can read your mind," Harry gave her a wicked glance.

"I was hoping I wouldn't have to spell it out for you," she teased.

"Hey Dad?" Ethan interrupted their moment. "Even though I'm not grounded can I still leave up my fort?"

"Yes," Harry told him. "But no moat little man."

"That's okay," Ethan said. "I'm going flying tomorrow I won't have time to make a moat." he turned a bit red. "Maddie wants to come over this week and play in the fort and I said she could if it was okay with you guys though."

Hermione wondered if she'd heard him correctly. "I-uh sure, that's fine."

"You want to play with Maddie?" Harry didn't mask his surprise.

"She's going to bring her pixie," Ethan said. "That's the only reason."

"Wait a minute," Harry said. "If that pixie comes over then it stays in the cage."

Ethan opened his mouth to protest, but thought better of it. He'd just gotten out of trouble, he wasn't about to say anything to get himself back into it.

"You make sure Maddie knows that," Harry said. "And you clear this with Greta as well."

"I will," Ethan said. "I'm sure Greta won't mind, Dad."

"Have you asked her?" Harry responded.

"Not exactly," Ethan said sheepishly. "But she's cool, Dad."

"Ethan James," Harry said. "Don't assume for other people. She's the one that takes care of you during the day and she does a fantastic job. You ask her before you tell Maddie yes or no."

Ethan nodded and sprinted forward to ask Greta if it was okay.

"He is too much," Hermione said.

"Like me?" Harry asked.

"Exactly," Hermione said with a laugh.

10. Chapter 10

Authors’ note: Thanks to those of you who have read and reviewed. This chapter sees the Weasley boys graduate from Hogwarts and a couple of twists and turns that you might not have expected from the Malfoys. We hope you guys enjoy the chapter!

Chapter Ten

A couple of days later, Lucius came back from meeting with one of his contacts expecting to find an empty house. Narcissa would no doubt have her daughter-in-law out and about trying to make her over. He was planning on going upstairs and writing a few letters when he heard the sound of someone humming a tune of some sort.

Ginny felt particularly good that day- she'd been able to dodge spending the afternoon with Narcissa, who had gone out shopping by herself for a change, and had taken a long, luxurious bubble bath, soaking for at least an hour before getting out. She was now seated at her vanity in a towel, combing out her long red hair.

Lucius walked past his son's bedroom door and was surprised to find the door slightly ajar. Curiosity got the better of him and he looked inside the room to see his daughter-in-law clad in only a towel and softly singing a song as she combed her hair.

Ginny wasn't sure what she wanted to do with the rest of her day- she toyed with the idea of visiting her husband at work. She kept humming as she got up, using her wand to dry her hair and then let her towel drop as she headed for her drawers to grab some knickers.

Lucius stood transfixed at the sight of her. Her attitude left something to be desired, but there was no denying she was a beautiful witch.

She took her time picking out a set of knickers to wear- finally deciding on a pair of silky black ones and a bra to match.

Lucius licked his lips as he watched her, wondering if she knew that she had an audience.

Still clad only in her knickers, Ginny stood in front of the mirror, admiring herself.

He was contemplating whether or not he should step inside the room and get to know his daughter-in-law better. He'd never properly welcomed her to the family.

After a few more minutes, Ginny disappeared into her closet to find her nicest set of robes. "There we are," she purred in satisfaction.

Marisol was just finishing tidying up the upstairs bedrooms when she saw the elder Malfoy standing just outside Ginny's door.

She almost said something to him but decided to hold her tongue- she could never decide who was worse, the elder or the younger Malfoy.

Lucius saw Ginny grab her bag and he quickly backtracked so she'd think he'd just come upstairs. When she walked out of the bedroom, Lucius leered at her. "Hello, Ginevra."

"Mr. Malfoy," she said coolly, brushing a strand of hair out of her eyes.

"Come now," he laughed. "We're family after all. You can call me Lucius."

"Perhaps," she said, her eyes darting away down the hall.

"It seems as if we're the only ones here," Lucius said stepping in front of her.

"I suppose," Ginny replied in a bored tone. She may have been intimidated by her father in law but she didn't have to show it.

"Would you like to grab a bite to eat?" Lucius asked looking admiringly at her. "We could get to know each other."

"I'm meeting Draco for lunch," Ginny lied. "I'm already running late." she moved past him but he caught her arm.

"I'm sure he wouldn't mind," Lucius whispered huskily. "You and I getting...closer."

Ginny was alarmed. "I really need to go," she said, pulling her arm way. "I'm sure your wife would like having lunch with you."

"Perhaps," Lucius said leering at her again.

Ginny gave him a dirty look and hurried away, feeling uncomfortable under his scrutinizing gaze.

Lucius watched her walk away and thought for the first time that perhaps his son wasn't so foolish after all.

*** *** ***

The next few days, no one saw that much of Hermione. She was gone before Harry and the kids awoke and she arrived long after the children had gone to sleep. She hated missing out on so much, but at the moment, she felt she needed to concentrate on righting what was wrong at the Ministry.

Just when she and Harry thought everything was going fine, more negative articles started appearing in the paper. The most damaging came out this morning with a full-page spread about Gordon Devereaux. The Daily Prophet reporter had portrayed Hermione as a vixen who had toyed with Gordon's emotions and had ultimately drove him insane.

At the moment, she was busily signing some papers and didn't hear someone knocking on the door.

"Madame Minister?" Lavender asked, knocking on the door.

"Hey Lav," Hermione gave her cousin a tired smile. "Come on in."

"You do recognise me then?" Lavender asked. "Because it's been a long time since I saw you..."

"I know," Hermione finished signing her papers. "And I feel just awful being so busy when you've come for a visit but--"

"You have to do damage control," Lavender finished for her. "You know that's what your husband told you son this morning over breakfast."

Hermione's face fell. "Ethan's upset that I'm not home isn't he," she sighed and rubbed her eyes.

Lavender nodded. "And Harry had to field questions from Ethan about who this Gordon Devereaux person was..."

"Oh no," Hermione moaned. "I've just about had it with all this."

"Hermione," Lavender said sitting down. "You're running yourself ragged." Hermione opened her mouth to protest, but Lavender held up her hand. "Hermione, I'm your cousin and I love you, but you are. You're trying to burn your candle at both ends and it's not working in either your personal or your professional life."

"I just don't know what to do," Hermione confessed. "I can't please everyone! There's no way I can take more time off but my family doesn't understand!"

"They do understand," Lavender told her. "They just miss you, Hermione. Technically, you should still be on maternity leave. If it hadn't been for those bloody articles, you would be."

"I know," Hermione said. "I miss being with my children so much."

"And what do those reporters know anyway?" Lavender scoffed. "They have no idea how hard you work! They're nothing but vultures, Hermione. Heartless, vultures."

"I know and the public seems to believe them." Hermione retrieved that day's Prophet from her desk drawer. "Take a look at this one Lav."

"I've already seen it," Lavender said, handing it back to her. The article in question was some random interviews with witches and wizards who called into question Hermione's fitness for the office and her ability to separate her personal from her professional life. "You want to know something funny?"

"What's that?" Hermione asked, tossing the paper in the rubbish bin.

"I never pictured you having a husband and children," Lavender said point-blank. "When we were kids, I mean. My dream growing up was meeting this handsome prince and living happily ever after. But, you----you wanted so much more than that."

"I still do," Hermione answered softly. "I want everything, that's part of my problem."

"You have everything," Lavender told her. "You've got the job you always wanted. You have a husband who adores you and three of the greatest children in the world."

Hermione nodded and Lavender looked sympathetically at her cousin.

"Oh, Hermione. Do you remember what you told me when I first started designing at Madame Malkin's?" she asked. "When I was so worried that no one would buy anything I designed? That everyone would think I was crap?"

"I remember that," Hermione nodded.

"You told me that not everyone was going to like what I did, but that I wouldn't be able to please everyone," Lavender said. "And you said that I shouldn't let that hold me back from pursuing what I really wanted."

"Did I say that?" Hermione tried to joke.

"Yes you did," Lavender said. "And it was the best advice anyone ever gave me."

Hermione sighed again. "It's just so hard Lav. I'm running so much here- yet it seems a lot of people don't believe in what I said I'd do. And I've done everything I promised to do during the campaign, yet because I'm a woman they think I'm weak, they think I HAVE to put family first." she laughed sardonically. "I do put family first. That's how it has to be."

"And you have to work twice as hard to prove everyone wrong," Lavender said, shaking her head. "It's not fair."

"You know some days I just want to throw in the towel?" Hermione asked. "Just up and say I quit, and fuck you all?"

"I know," Lavender said. "But you're not a quitter, Hermione."

"I know," Hermione said. "I just wish there were two of me sometimes."

"Ever think of using a Time Turner?" Lavender asked jokingly.

"More often than not," Hermione said with a smile.

"How about you and I go home for lunch?" Lavender asked. "Come on, don't you want to see little Saffy? She should be up about now, right?"

"You're playing dirty Lav," Hermione said, a genuine grin now on her face.

"That's why you love me," Lavender said grabbing Hermione's cloak. "Come on. It's one hour. Besides, the Minister has to eat, doesn't she? She gets a lunch break, doesn't she?"

"Of course I do," Hermione began hesitantly. "But..." she'd planned on catching up on some new contracts and just have something sent in. Yet going home and seeing her daughter was too great a temptation. "Let's go." she said decisively.

"Great," Lavender said, deliberately not telling her cousin that Harry was home as well.

"Thanks Lav," Hermione gave her cousin a hug. "You have this terribly good persuasive power about you."

"It's a gift really," Lavender said smugly. "I taught Maddie everything she knows."

"Well that certainly explains a lot," Hermione laughed as she threw a pinch of Floo powder in her fireplace.

A few moments later, she and Lavender were back home.

"Well, my work here is done," Lavender said making for the stairs. "You'll find everything you need in the kitchen."

"What?" Hermione was confused. "Lav--"

"In there," Lavender said pointing toward the kitchen. "Go."

"Why what's in there?" Hermione asked as she followed her cousin's orders.

Harry looked up as Hermione came into the kitchen. He hadn't had much time to plan after Lavender came up with the idea. With some cooking help from Greta, he'd set up a nice lunch. He was holding Saffron whose eyes seem to light up as she saw her mother.

"Look, sweetheart," Harry said softly. "It's Mummy."

"Oh," Hermione said softly. "Harry..."

"It's not much, but it's the best I could do on short notice," Harry said grinning at her.

"This is wonderful," Hermione said with tears in her eyes as Harry passed Saffron over to her. She kissed her daughter's soft little head and hugged her.

"Your cousin actually can take the credit for this one," Harry told her.

"This really is fantastic," Hermione said. "Remind me to thank her later."

"I will," Harry said. "Little Saffy has been cooing all morning. Lav was convinced she was trying to sing something, but I had to remind her that Saffy was way too young to be doing that just yet."

Hermione laughed. "She's my smart girl," she said in a gooey voice. "My smart, beautiful girl!"

Saffron reached out for Hermione's locket and Harry laughed. "You forgot strong. She has a vies like grip."

"Right," Hermione gently pried it away before Saffron could break the chain. "I missed you guys today," she said, looking at her husband.

"We've missed you too," Harry said.

"I just hate all this," Hermione said as Harry retrieved Saffron's bottle and handed it to her. "I feel like I should be home with you guys when I'm in the office, and when I'm here I feel like I should be at work. And now with this new article saying I can't figure out how to divide my personal and private time..."

"Hermione---"

"I know I shouldn't let it get to me," Hermione said as Saffron sucked greedily on her bottle.

"I wish there was something I could do to make this easier," Harry told her.

"There really isn't anything anyone can do," Hermione said. "I just feel like there's too much I have to be in control of right now- especially with all the Malfoys here, causing trouble. It still worries me we haven't seen hide nor hair of Lucius."

"You and me both," Harry said.

"I wish Ethan and Julie were here too," Hermione said wistfully.

"They'd be here if they could," Harry said as he poured them both a glass of pumpkin juice. "Greta made some of that vegetable soup you like so much."

"That sounds lovely," Hermione said.

"I'm proud of you, Hermione," Harry said smiling across the table at her. "I really am. You're the strongest person I know."

"I could say the same for you," Hermione said, setting Saffron in her little seat so she could have lunch. "You've had more than your share of things to deal with."

"We're not talking about me," he told her. "We're talking about you. I want you to be able to talk to me about this. Let me help if I can. You're not in this by yourself."

"It's hard for me to ask for help," Hermione said, taking some soup.

"I know," he said. "It's not easy for me, either. But you and I are in this together. We're a team."

"We're a great team," Hermione said softly.

"Absolutely," Harry said winking at her.

"I just think," Hermione paused a moment. "At this point it wouldn't do much good to have Luna write a retaliation article... no one would really pay attention to it. Everyone's more eager to read the bad things than the good and I don't know what to do about it."

Harry nodded in agreement. "I think we need to concentrate our attention on the Malfoys. We know they're behind all of this, but we need to find out why. Lupin's still checking on Lucius' whereabouts, but so far he's come up empty handed."

Hermione nodded. "I just wonder... if I should pass some more on to my assistant. I know I gave him the scare of a lifetime when I went off on him for letting Lucius out but... he's more than proved himself since then. Do you think he'd mind taking on a few duties?"

"I think that's a good idea," Harry said. "And he is there to help you out."

"That way I can be home early evenings," Hermione thought aloud. "And I can take some more weekends to be at home."

"We'd certainly like that, wouldn't we, Saffy?" Harry asked his daughter.

Saffron simply stared up at her mother before her eyes started to close. "I think that makes it unanimous," Hermione said softly with a smile. "If she cried it would mean no." she joked.

Harry laughed. "And I think if she could talk, she'd tell you that she loves that idea and she hopes that her mum won't get upset if the papers have anything to say about it."

Hermione looked down at her sleeping daughter. "I just hate the thought of not being here for her, or for Ethan," she said. "Damn it, there's nothing I can do to please everyone."

"Exactly," Harry told her gently. "And you shouldn't try because you'll come up short every time, Hermione."

"I don't like people losing faith in me," Hermione said quietly.

"I know you don't," Harry said. "But no one in this house will ever do that. I hope you realise that. And the people who care about you and know what a great job you've done, they won't feel that way either."

Hermione was only half convinced, but she nodded. "I hate not knowing what their plans are mostly," she referred to the Malfoys. "That is what bothers me most."

"We'll figure it out," Harry told her, hoping that he could deliver on that promise.

"Okay," Hermione said, gently rocking Saffron back and forth.

"And I'm about to say something to you that you have to promise you won't tell your cousin," Harry said eager to talk about something else.

"What's that?" Hermione asked curiously.

Harry leaned across the table. "Having Lavender around has been...well, it's been...not so bad, really."

Hermione laughed. "Are you really my husband?" she teased.

"I know, I know," Harry said shaking his head. "I find it hard to believe myself. But she's really been great. Helping out with Ethan and Saffy...and she's handled some of the post, too."

Hermione raised her eyebrows in surprise. "Maybe you're both going soft in your old age."

"We are not!" A muffled voice said from just outside the kitchen.

"I knew she was eavesdropping!" Harry exclaimed.

"Save it, Potter," Lavender said coming into the kitchen. "I heard what you said. And you're not so bad, either."

"Well for what it's worth I think you're BOTH fantastic," Hermione said firmly.

Harry grinned. "Thanks love."

Lavender beamed at her. "I already knew that but thanks for saying it anyway."

"You're more than welcome to join us Lav," Harry said motioning for her to sit down.

"I just might," Lavender smiled down at the sleeping Saffron. "She is so sweet Hermione."

"She is," Hermione whispered. "I could hold her like this forever."

"What are the two of you going to do when she grows up?" Lavender shook her head, her blonde hair swaying.

"She's never dating for one thing," Harry replied.

"Oh Harry stop it," Hermione replied. "You were the same way with Julie and she's done just fine for herself."

"Okay," Harry said, nodding. "She can date....when she's 21."

Hermione and Lavender exchanged looks. "Sure Harry," Lavender replied.

"We might have another Frankie on our hands," Harry said looking at Saffron. "She'll probably talk me into submission."

"Cho told me that Frankie has a countdown to when she's allowed to date," Hermione smiled.

"Does she have any boys in mind?" Lavender asked.

"She probably has about six," Harry cracked.

"I had my first date when I was 13," Lavender said helping herself to some soup. "Of course, Uncle Robert had no idea."

"No but I got to hear all about it," Hermione teased.

"I thought Jean Pierre was the love of my life," Lavender remembered, a dreamy expression coming over her face.

"How many times did you find the love of your life?" Harry asked with a smartass look on his face. "Twenty? Thirty?"

Lavender glared at him. "At least I never dated someone as shallow as Isabella Marconi."

"What do you call your first husband then?" Harry shot back.

"How many times do I have to tell you that those were not real 'marriages'?" Lavender asked rolling her eyes. "They were both annulled. So technically, I have only been married once."

"If you say so," Harry replied with a smirk.

"I do say so," Lavender said smirking right back at him.

"Right," Harry snorted at her response. "I have to get back to the office."

"You know there is a bright side to all of this," Lavender said. "There was some good publicity that you both seemed to have missed."

"Like what?" Hermione asked.

Lavender couldn't hide the grin on her face as she pulled the copy of Witch Weekly from her pocket.

"Here you are," she said giggling. "Mr. Sexiest Wizard Alive."

"Bloody hell that's a great shot of me!" Harry said happily.

"You had to show that to him, didn't you?" Hermione asked laughing. "We're never going to be able to live with him now."

"Wait until I show Ron," Harry's eyes gleamed.

"He's in there too," Lavender said. "He's Number 42."

"But he's not number one." Harry laughed. "What about your better half?" he asked.

"Fifteen," Lavender said. "But I think they discriminate since he's no longer living in England."

Harry grinned at the picture and then at his wife. "Come on Hermione, what do you think about this? You're married to the sexiest wizard alive!"

"I didn't need a magazine to tell me that," she said smiling back at him. "But it is great news. Merlin knows we needed it."

"Aye," Harry said. "Now they just need an article on the sexiest Minister this country's ever seen."

Hermione laughed. "Well you do realise your Auror mates are going to have a go with you about this, right?"

"Let them say what they want," Harry said smugly. "Can I keep this Lav?"

Lavender nodded. "Sure."

"Great," Harry said, his spirits definitely brighter.

"Thank you for my lunch," Hermione said as he stood up. "I needed this more than you know."

"I'm glad you came home," Harry stroked her cheek for a moment. "And we'll see you tonight for dinner?"

"I wouldn't miss it for the world," she replied.

"Ethan will be so excited," Harry gave her a kiss and then pecked Lavender on the cheek. "See you lot later."

"Work it, Harry," Lavender teased.

"I will," Harry grinned as he disappeared into the sitting room to use the Floo.

"I almost didn't show that to him," Lavender admitted.

"Well at least you've made his day," Hermione laughed as she and Lavender took Saffron up to her nursery. "I see Ethan's kept up his fort."

"I'm supposed to help him build a miniature castle around the crib when he gets home from school," Lavender said.

"Goodness," Hermione replied. "That's just..." she shook her head in amusement.

"I know," Lavender said. "He's got all these great plans. You should hear him talk."

"I'll have him tell me tonight," Hermione whispered as she set her daughter in her crib.

"So are you feeling better about all this?" Lavender asked softly. "Since you spoke with Harry?"

"Yes," Hermione nodded as they left the nursery. "Well, yes and no. It doesn't solve how the public has been viewing me lately. But I don't feel guilty about leaving to spend time with my family."

"Good," Lavender said smiling at her.

"And I'm glad you talked some sense into me as well," Hermione tucked her arm into Lavender's.

"That's what I'm here for," Lavender said.

"I wish you could stay longer," Hermione's tone was slightly wistful.

"Me too," Lavender said. "I really miss you guys."

"You know, a lot of Muggle celebrities live over here now," Hermione said slyly.

"They do," Lavender agreed. "And Seamus and I have no family in the States."

"So perhaps you should convince him to relocate," Hermione gave her cousin a charming grin she'd picked up from Harry over the years.

"I've tried," Lavender said frowning. "We've had some amazing rows about it."

"Why does he want to stay over there so badly?" Hermione asked.

"He's really successful out there," Lavender said. "And he loves being a wizard, of course, but this was something he did on his own, Hermione. No magic...just him. It's hard to explain..."

"No, I can see why he loves it," Hermione mused. "It's sort of how I was like when I was campaigning for Minister. I didn't use Harry's fame or prestige to work my way up."

"You didn't," Lavender agreed.

"So it's not because of that girl he uses all the time in his films- Stormy Rain or whatever?" Hermione teased.

Lavender groaned. "Summer Rayne? No, it's not because of her. She really is shallow, Hermione. I mean, she's okay to shop with, but the girl has nothing going on upstairs."

Hermione laughed. "You never have taken to her have you?"

"Not at all," Lavender said. "But could you ever see you and Isabella being friends?"

"No," Hermione made a face.

"Which is how I feel about Summer," Lavender said.

"I see your point," Hermione said. "Well I should probably get back to the office as well. Thanks for today Lav. I appreciate it."

"You're welcome," Lavender said giving her a hug. "You deserved the break."

"I'll see you tonight for dinner then," Hermione said. "Maybe we can both help Ethan with his castle."

"I'm going to hold you to that," Lavender said smiling at her. "Go enjoy the rest of your day, Minister Potter."

"Thank you," Hermione hugged her cousin.

*** *** ***

"Daddy?" Maddie asked ruffling her father's hair as she sat atop his shoulders. They were all waiting for Jon and Josh's graduation ceremony to begin and to say Maddie was getting antsy would be a gross understatement.

"Yes?" Ron asked, wiping some sweat from his brow. He wondered yet again why Dumbledore didn't hold the ceremony in the Great Hall instead of out here on the Quidditch pitch.

"How much longer?" Maddie asked. "It's really hot out here!"

"I don't know sweetheart," Ron said. "I think it's starting soon."

"I'm ready to take these bloody robes off," Drew muttered from beside her mother.

"You and me both," Harry said coming into the box with his family, save for Hermione who was sitting on the podium on the field with Dumbledore and the other Hogwarts professors.

"Do you know who I feel sorry for?" Ron asked his friend. "Your wife. She has to sit beside Snivellus Snape."

Harry held back his smirk. "She's always said she was curious about him. Now she gets to sit and smell him for the next few hours."

"He's really dreadful and scary," Darla commented. She looked over at Maddie. "You better hope he's long gone before you go to school, Maddie."

"He'll probably love her," Drew replied. "Like everyone else." she made a face at her little sister who giggled.

"Snape is incapable of love," Ron said shuddering.

"Please don't say Snape and love in one sentence," Harry said with a frown. "That gives me mental images that I'd rather not have."

"Daddy?" Maddie asked innocently. "Is Snape a wanker?"

"Yes he is," Ron nodded.

"Ron!" Luna said hitting her husband hard on the arm. “What have I told you about saying that word in front of Maddie! And here you are encouraging her!”

"Well he is!" Ron retorted. "Severus Snape is one big wanker."

Drew and Darla collapsed into giggles.

"He is, Mum," Drew said. "You have to admit it."

"Well," Luna's lips twitched. "I suppose for once you're right."

"I've been right on numerous occasions," Ron said glaring at her. "You lot just don't give me enough credit."

"Okay children," Harry said, bouncing Saffron gently in his arms. "I think this thing is finally about to start."

"I can't believe my babies are about to graduate," Luna whispered, tearing up yet again.

"Luna we have to go through this four more times," Ron whispered. "Save some of those tears for when they find out we bought them a flat."

"If Darla doesn't blab," Drew teased her twin sister.

"Hey!" Darla said glaring at her. "I haven't told them anything so far."

"All right," Drew conceded. "If Maddie doesn't blab."

"The one you have to worry about blabbing is Cho," Harry whispered to Drew.

"I heard that!" Cho said from behind him. "And I'm nowhere near as bad as I used to be."

"I'm still not comfortable with the thought of them having their own place," Neville muttered to his wife, glancing down at their middle daughter who was searching for a glimpse of her boyfriend.

"It's none of your concern what Luna and Ron give their sons for a graduation present," Cho hissed back at him. "For Merlin's sake, Neville can you let it rest for one day at least? This is a happy occasion."

"I know but--" Neville stopped at the look on his wife's face

"Look!" Frankie exclaimed, handing her omnioculars to Allison. "There they are, Allie!"

Allison grinned. "Thanks Frankie." she said, focusing them in on Jon.

The graduation ceremony began with a few opening remarks from Dumbledore. From the stage, Hermione smiled warmly at Snape trying to make an effort to be polite. But he remained cold and aloof and hadn't said one word to her the entire time they'd been sitting here. Luckily, she didn't have much to reflect on it as Dumbledore introduced her and she stood up to give her speech to the Hogwarts graduates.

Her speech consisted of the importance of learning and how education was valuable. She had spent a fortnight writing this speech and was really quite proud of how it had turned out.

Snape patted his foot impatiently waiting for this ceremony to be over. The last thing on earth he wanted to do was sit here in the hot sun listening to Potter's wife go on and on about education. It was bad enough having to sit beside her. He could just imagine Potter up in the stands cackling to himself at the absurdity of it all.

Lucius Malfoy stood in the very back, ignoring the heat in his heavy black robes. He was here to see one person and it certainly wasn't that Mudblood currently babbling onstage at the moment.

As Hermione finished her speech, the crowd heartily applauded. Hermione took her seat again beside Snape who was staring absently at something in the crowd.

"Is everything okay, Professor Snape?" Hermione whispered. "You look as if you've seen a ghost."

"I'm fine Minister," Snape replied coolly.

"Of course," Hermione said giving him a weak smile. She returned her attention to Dumbledore who was now announcing the names of the graduates.

"Where are Jon and Josh?" Maddie craned her neck from her seat where she and Ethan had started to play a quiet Muggle card game called Go Fish.

"Here," Allison said handing the little girl Frankie's omnioculars. "They are in the front row there. Can you see them?"

Maddie gave an excited squeal. "Hi Josh!" she hollered over the crowd. "Jon!" she waved her little arms.

Josh and Jon both laughed as they heard their little sister's voice over the crowd.

"Should we turn around and wave?" Josh asked his brother.

"She might not stop calling unless we do," Jon grinned.

"Right then," Josh said turning around in his seat and waving up at his little sister. Dumbledore was getting to their names and Josh laughed. "You know I never thought you'd actually do it, little brother."

"What?" Jon asked, laughing. "And will you quit the little brother stuff. You were only born three minutes ahead of me."

"Graduate," Josh said as they made their way up the stairs. "And with good marks at that."

"You know contrary to popular belief, I am a smart bloke," Jon said nudging his brother. "I just didn't apply myself until this year."

"You mean you didn't have a smart girlfriend until this year," Josh corrected.

"What can I say?" Jon asked smugly. "She rubbed off on me a little."

Josh snorted. "A little? I bet her dad wouldn't like to know what sort of rubbing you two do."

"Don't joke about that," Jon said. "I can practically feel her dad's eyes on me right now."

"I'm sure he's watching you like a hawk," Josh teased. "With omnioculars, reading your lips so he can pounce on you later for messing with his baby girl."

"You're just lucky Lizzy's parents aren’t here," Jon shot back.

"We've been good," Josh poked his brother in the back as Dumbledore read off his name.

Luna covered her mouth with her handkerchief as she started to sob. She watched proudly as Josh walked across the stage followed by Jon.

"Luna," Ron put an arm around his wife. "Come on..."

"Don't cry, Mummy," Maddie said softly. "You shouldn't be sad!"

"I-I'm not sad, baby," Luna said in between sobs. "I'm really happy for your brothers and proud..."

"My mum cried like that when Julie finished school," Ethan said from his seat next to Maddie.

"I don't understand how you can cry when you're happy," Maddie said. "It doesn't make sense."

"It will when you're older love," Luna blew her nose.

When the last graduate's name was called, the crowd stood and applauded for the entire class.

"Let's go make our way down there and tell the boys the good news," Ron said picking Maddie up.

"They're going to be so excited, Uncle Ron," Allison said happily breezing past her parents to join the Weasleys. "They have no idea that you're doing this!"

Neville looked at his middle daughter talking animatedly with Ron and Luna. "Do you see that? She's all excited about it because she thinks she'll be going over there a lot," Neville whispered furiously to Cho.

Cho rolled her eyes. "Maybe she's excited because she knows what a great present his parents are giving him, Neville. And she's very proud of Jon for what he accomplished this year. Did you ever think of that?"

"I can't help but think this is all moving too fast." Neville replied as they lagged behind a bit. "She's only sixteen Cho. I keep hoping that once the summer is over, she’ll be back at Hogwarts and he’ll be here and this will all be over."

"I'm going to go down on the pitch with the rest of the Weasleys," Allison said coming over to her parents. She hadn't heard any of their conversation to Cho's relief.

"Why don't you stay up here, Allison?" Neville asked grabbing her arm. "Let them have their own family moment."

"But Dad I want to see Jon and Josh's faces when their parents give them the key to their flat!" Allison protested.

"You can go on down, sweetheart," Cho said smiling at her. "Your father and I will meet you down there."

"Thanks Mum," Allison grinned and ran after the Weasleys.

"You and I need to have a serious talk about this," Cho said to her husband once they were alone. "This is really getting out of hand, Neville."

"I was against her dating from the start," Neville argued. "I wanted to wait until she was seventeen like we agreed for Chiaki."

"She's a good girl, Neville," Cho told him reassuringly. "We can trust Allison. You know that."

"I trust Allison," Neville said defensively. "What I don't trust is her and Jon all alone in a flat together with no adult supervision."

"Allison isn't going to be sleeping over there, Neville," Cho said.

"Something we both agree on," Neville nodded.

Down on the pitch, Josh and Jon were receiving congratulations from their family. Luna embraced her sons in a Molly Weasley fashion as she cried.

"Mum," Jon said, his face turning purple. "Josh and I can't breathe."

"You both graduated!" Luna sobbed. "I've never been so proud!"

"She cried through the whole ceremony," Ron explained to his sons. "Even I got a little teary-eyed watching my two boys."

"Sure Dad," Jon grinned. "You were just upset that I won't be able to sneak you back anything from the end of the year feast anymore."

"I still have Drew and Darla for that," Ron said grinning.

"Speaking of food," Josh said rubbing his stomach. "Let's go eat. I'm starving."

"Not so fast," Ron said, putting an arm around Luna. "Your mother and I have something we want to give you."

Allison joined them and had to bite her lower lip to keep from grinning too hard.

Ron pulled two identical keys out of his pocket. "Do you know what these are?"

"Keys," Josh guessed in a smartass tone.

"I would have expected such an answer from Jon, but yes, Josh," Ron said laughing. "They are keys. But do you know to what?"

"You've been saving up loads of money for us in Gringotts," Jon guessed. "And this is the key to the vault?"

"You're close," Luna said, wiping her eyes with her soggy handkerchief.

"Two bedrooms, a sitting room, a nice kitchen and two bathrooms," Ron said smiling at his sons.

"What?" Josh asked "Are we moving again? Because I don't think you can fit all of us in that small a place, Dad."

"We're not all moving," Ron answered with a grin. "You two are."

"You got us a flat?" Jon asked, a grin spreading across his face. "Where?"

"Right in the middle of London," Luna replied. "It's signed and ready for you two to move in. Of course, if you want to stay at home we can shred the lease- or even if you'd like to come back home to Ireland for just a few weeks or months, we wouldn't mind..."

"No," Jon and Josh said in unison.

Allison grinned and clapped her hands. "Lizzy and I have been dying to tell you both." she laughed.

"I can't believe you two managed to keep it a secret," Josh laughed.

"We did," Allison said. "I wanted to see the look on both your faces when you find out! This is so cool. I hope my parents do something like that for me when I graduate."

"Or you can come live with me," Jon said in her ear.

Allison smiled and hugged him tightly. "Why would you want to live with me?" she asked him in a whisper.

"You know why." Jon grinned but let her go as Neville and Cho approached them with Hermione.

"Congratulations boys," Cho said smiling at Josh and Jon. "I can't believe you two graduated."

"Thanks," both of them said.

"I wouldn't have done so well if it weren't for your daughter," Jon added.

"He's being modest," Allison said beaming at her boyfriend. "He did most of this on his own."

"Nonsense," Jon grinned. "If it weren't for the study sessions you insisted on--"

"Jon actually met Madam Pince for the first time this year," Josh joked. "I don't even think he'd ever set foot in the library until this year."

"I'd love to spend a day in the Hogwarts library," Hermione looked dreamily at the castle.

"That's because it's the only place you and the King here haven't done--" Ron started to say. Luna hit him in the stomach.

"OW!" He said glaring at her.

"Haven't done what Daddy?" Maddie asked.

"Um... have dinner," Ron replied. "Gosh I'm hungry!"

"Me too," Luna said. "How about we take the graduates here out for dinner and then we can show them their new place?"

"That sounds brilliant, Mum," Josh said. "I'm going to try and find Lizzy."

"You’re welcome to join us," Luna said to Neville and Cho.

"We have plans--" Neville began but Cho elbowed him.

"We'd love to join you," Cho said. "It's been too long since we've all seen each other and had time to sit down. Especially you, Ms Minister."

"I know," Hermione apologised. "I've been so busy lately."

"Becoming friendly with old smelly Snape, eh?" Ron teased. "I saw the two of you on the stage there. He charmed you with his warm demeanour, didn't he?"

Hermione rolled her eyes. "I don't know how you put up with seven years of him. I could barely stand seven minutes."

Just then, Snape brushed past them, not even acknowledging their existance.

"Wonder where he's off to in such a hurry?" Ron asked as the professor quickly made his way back to the castle.

"Who knows and who cares?" Harry asked.

Meanwhile, the very person Severus Snape was trying to avoid was the same person he ran into right inside the castle walls.

"Hello Severus," Lucius pushed back his dark hood. "You seem surprised to see me here."

"What on earth possessed you to come here of all places?" Snape hissed. "You could have been seen, Lucius."

"But I wasn't," Lucius's sneering smile disappeared. "Besides that I walk here today as a free man. As you recall, the... acting minister signed my pardon."

"Some second in command signed your pardon, you mean," Snape said. "Wait a minute. What do you mean, acting minister?"

"Surely you remember the Minister Mudblood's leave while she raised her children," Lucius mocked.

"I could care less about what she does," Snape hissed.

"I'm not here to discuss her," Lucius said abruptly. "I'm calling in a favour you owe me."

"I don't owe you anything," Snape said angrily.

"Surely you haven't forgotten a little incident from our own Hogwarts days," Lucius hissed. "Where I saved your sorry, pale hide from expulsion..."

Snape sighed. "Of course. You never do anything without expecting something in return, do you?"

"Of course not," Lucius said. "I never do anything unless there's something in it for me."

"And what is it you want this time?" Snape asked him point blank. "I don't have time to play 20 questions with you, Malfoy."

"Draco's back in London," Lucius got to the point. "He's going to take over the spot of Minister once we boot that Mudblood out. Once he does take over... you're going to help me take over."

Snape tried to comprehend what his old friend had just said. Surely all those years in Azkaban hadn't clouded his mind so much where Malfoy actually believed he---an ex-convict---would ever be accepted as Minister for Magic.

"You're confused," Lucius smirked. "I'll spell it out for you Severus. You're going to concoct a potion that you'll slip into Draco's drink. Twelve hours later he'll be dead. He'll have named me as his successor."

Snape stared at him in disbelief. "You're going to murder your own son? Is that what you're trying to tell me?"

"I told YOU, I never do anything unless there's something in it for me." Lucius said, his pale eyes narrowing.

"Yes," Snape said, still trying to wrap his brain around this. "But...Draco...he's your son, Lucius."

"My son who left me to rot in Azkaban for over twenty years," Lucius retorted.

"Draco didn't have anything to do with that," Snape told him. "You and I know he had no control over you getting in or out of Azkaban. If you should be mad at anyone, it should be Potter."

"Of course I'm angry at Potter- it's his wife we'll be kicking out of office," Lucius sneered. "Now are you going to do it or aren't you? I can make your life a living hell if you go against me Snape."

"You've gone mad," Snape said folding his arms.

"No, I'm just plain pissed off," Lucius said.

Snape didn't know what to say. He knew that Lucius Malfoy was one person you didn't want to cross, but what his old friend was asking him to do was just plain absurd.

Lucius's eyes narrowed even more into slits. "You will help me." he said in a soft, dangerous tone.

"I'm not a murderer, Lucius," Snape said defiantly.

"Get me the potion and I'll pour it in," Lucius shook his head. "You've lost your edge Snape. Bet you even gouged out your arm to take off your Dark Mark."

"I haven't lost anything," Snape retorted. "You know something, Lucius? You remind me so much of James Potter. You were an arrogant bully just like he was."

"And he's dead," Lucius's lip curled.

"And you think his son is going to just let you overthrow his wife?" Snape asked him. "I detest Potter as much as you do, but you know he isn't going to just let you march in and take over."

"We have a plan, and I don't feel a need to inform you of exactly what it entails." Lucius gripped Snape's arm. "Now are you going to help me or do I have to use what I have on you to force you?"

"What do I have to do?" Snape asked reluctantly.

"Make me a potion that's untraceable," Lucius said. "I'll put it in his drink and he'll be gone." his thoughts ran to those of his son's wife and he smiled.

"Just like that?" Snape asked him incredulously.

"Just like that," Lucius said. "I don't want any fucking side effects. Nothing that can be traced back to me."

Snape nodded. To buy himself some time to think this over, he decided to try and placate Lucius.

"I'll need some time to research this, of course."

"You have one week." Lucius said.

"I assume you'll be in touch," Snape said as Lucius pulled the hood of his robes back up.

"Of course I will," Lucius sneered. "You're to alert me the moment you have it finished."

Snape could only nod as Lucius walked away.

"Oh and Severus," Lucius called back. "Don't try and cross me."

"I wouldn't dream of it," Snape said trying to sound as if he meant the words.

Lucius gave him one last menacing glare before sweeping out of sight. Victory was finally, almost his.

11. Chapter 11

Authors’ note: Thanks again to everyone who reviewed. The chapter is chock full of Malfoys. But there are also some cute, fluffy moments to balance it all out. Hope you enjoy the chapter and that you will take a few seconds at the end to review and let us know what you thought. Next chapter will be posted on Saturday as usual.

Chapter 11

Ginny leaned against her husband as they walked down the streets of Muggle London. Normally they'd never bother to leave the Wizarding section of the city as the Muggles were so inferior, but Ginny had wanted to get as far away from her father in law as possible. She'd caught Lucius leering at her several times over the last few weeks and it was starting to give her a serious case of the creeps.

"You're awfully quiet tonight, Red," Draco said softly. "What's on your mind?"

"Nothing really," Ginny said. "I'm just bored here. I miss Sydney."

"I miss it too love," Draco said pulling her closer. "But we have big plans, don't we? You'll have loads to do as the Minister's wife. Your pretty face will be in all the papers."

Ginny smiled. "On the arm of the best looking Minister they've ever seen."

"Exactly," Draco said. "We're going to have it all, Red."

"I'll probably start doing fundraiser work with your mother," Ginny said, eager to think of ways to keep away from Lucius. "I don't really care about any of that but it looks good."

Draco stopped in his tracks and looked quizzically at his wife. "What parallel universe have I stumbled into here? You are actually volunteering to spend time with my mother?"

"I know," Ginny smiled at him. "But you know she'll want to be involved. And maybe she'll like me better if we do more things to make you look good." Ginny didn't believe a word of what she was saying and she could tell her husband didn't either.

"What's really going on, Red?" Draco asked her.

Ginny wanted to tell him just how much Lucius scared her but held her tongue. "Like I told you," she said. "I'm bored and want more things to do outside the house other than just shopping."

Draco sensed there was more to this than met the eye, but he decided not to pursue the issue any further. He was growing tired of listening to his wife constantly complain about his mother and vice versa.

"You can help plan that big fundraising ball that St. Mungos is having in a few weeks," he suggested. "Party planning is one of your many talents."

"That's very true," Ginny agreed. "No one plans a party like I do."

"Father thinks that will be good publicity for us," he said walking ahead of his wife and not noticing the look on her face at the mention of Lucius.

"Well..." Ginny said in a halting voice. "I'm sure Lucius knows best."

"His methods are a bit unorthodox, but he certainly does know what he's doing," Draco continued. "Did you see that poll in yesterday's paper? The Mudblood's approval ratings are at an all-time low."

That made Ginny's smile more genuine. "It's about time that bitch was cut down to size."

Draco laughed. "And it's only going to get worse."

"I can't wait," Ginny purred.

A few blocks down from where Ginny and Draco were talking their stroll, the Weasley Graduation party was winding down. Nick and Julie stood off to the side as Josh and Jon were trying to hurry everyone along so they could get a look at their new flat.

"What is taking Dad so long with the bloody bill?" Josh asked impatiently.

"He's probably getting some extra dessert," Jon said as he put an arm around Allison.

"I can't wait to see your place," Allison said excitedly. "I'm going to come over every day to help you unpack and set things up."

"I thought you were going to help your mother at the dance studio," Neville interjected.

"I can do both," Allison replied with a smile.

"That's just great," Neville said putting his hands in his pockets. "Just great..."

"Poor Jon," Julie said moving closer to Nick.

"I don't know why Neville's so against them being together," Nick put his arm around her. "Guess that makes me the lucky one that your parents seem to like having me around." he grinned at her.

"They do kind of like you," Julie teased.

"Are you sure you two don't want to come look at the flat?" Jon asked, calling over to them.

"I wish we could," Julie said apologetically. "But it's late and I have to teach tomorrow."

"But you'll come by soon right?" Josh asked. "I really want you to see the place Jules."

"I will," Julie promised, giving him a hug. "You are my friend and I love you, but you Josh Weasley have no sense of style. I'd hate to see how you and your brother would decorate your new place if left on your own."

"That's what me and Allie are here for," Lizzy laughed. "We aren't colour blind like those two."

Ron finally joined the others outside and apologised for taking so long.

"I just had a few things to take care of," Ron said.

"Like some more garlic bread, perhaps?" Harry asked. "Or some tiramisu for the road?"

"Sod off Potter," Ron hid the bag in his hand behind his back.

"And what's that you have there, Ronald?" Harry asked.

"None of your bloody business," Ron said, sweeping a rather tired Maddie into his arms.

"Let's go, Dad," Josh said. "We want to see the flat!"

"Okay," Ron said laughing. He looked at Nick and Julie. "I really wish you two could come along."

"We promise to be by this weekend," Julie said. "I'm just glad I was able to get someone to work for me today otherwise I wouldn't have been able to make the graduation."

"Thanks for coming Jules," Josh said smiling at her.

"Congratulations again, both of you." Julie kissed them on the cheek. "I'm really proud of you guys."

"That goes double for me, cousins," Nick joked.

"Words of wisdom from the big rock star," Jon cracked with a grin.

"And don't you forget it," Nick said. "Come on, Jules. We better get going too."

"See you all later." Julie hugged her parents and Ethan goodbye and kissed Saffron's forehead before allowing Nick to lead her down the street.

"I wish I could take you on tour with me," Nick said softly. He would be leaving in a couple of day’s time and while he was excited about the tour itself, he didn't like being away from Julie for so long.

"I wish I could go too." Julie said. "I know this is so big for you, but I wish there was a way you could just stay home." she laughed. "You'd think with apparition and portkeys we'd just be able to go wherever we want anytime we want."

"You'd think," Nick laughed.

"Well, if it isn't our long-lost son," a familiar voice said from behind them.

Nick froze, his shoulders hunching up and he gripped his girlfriend's hand tighter. "Father." he said, his tone cold. "I'd rather hoped I wouldn't run into you again."

"And his girlfriend too," Ginny said smiling at Julie. "Forgive me if I can't remember your name just now---what was it again? Justine? Judith?"

Julie rolled her eyes. "Come on Nick let's just go."

"Ginny and I are both very sorry about the heat your poor mother has been taking, Miss Potter," Draco said with false sincerity. "It must be really hard on your poor family."

"My mother is fine," Julie said evenly. "No thanks to either of you, I'm sure."

"Are you implying that my wife and I have something to do with your mother's inability to run the Ministry?" Draco asked innocently. "You know your mother just got in over her head in my opinion. She thought she could do it all, but the people she governs over have suffered for her ambition. It's a shame really."

"My mother CAN do it all and she has been for almost three years now." Julie snapped.

"Look, you made yourself perfectly clear when I last saw you in Sydney," Nick interrupted. "You don't want to see me again. I don't want to see you again. So why are you two here if not to try and disrupt our peace?"

"Our intentions are completely honourable," Draco said. "I know you've heard about my new position at St. Mungos."

Nick shook his head. "I only know you're here with... my grandparents."

"They are staying with us until they find their own place," Draco said dismissively. He had no desire to clue his ungrateful son in on any of their plans.

Nick's jaw set firmly. "So as long as we stay out of each other's hair we'll be fine." he said coldly.

"Exactly," Draco said in an equally icy tone.

"It really is amazing how much you resemble your mother," Ginny commented looking appraisingly at Julie.

"I think that's the nicest thing you've ever said to me," Julie retorted. "I take that as a high compliment."

"It wasn't meant as one," Ginny corrected her.

"My mother is a beautiful woman," Julie said calmly with a smile.

Ginny laughed. "Your mother is Hermione Granger, right? She's many things my dear, but beautiful isn't one of them."

"Shut up," Nick said furiously. "Why don't you both go on and leave us alone? We were having a perfectly fine evening until the two of you showed up."

"We were just going," Draco said taking his wife's hand. "Good night, Nicholas."

Nick glared back at them without a word and it wasn't until his parents were gone that he realised he was shaking in rage. "I hate them." he said furiously. "How could they insult you that way and expect me to not want to pound them into the ground?"

"They were trying to get a rise out of both of us," Julie said. "Trust me, Nick. It was best to just let them have their say and act as if we couldn't care less."

"If you weren't here..." Nick began.

"I was here," Julie said squeezing his hand.

"Thank Merlin you are." Nick said quietly.

"Let's go home," she said softly. "Let's not let them spoil our nice evening."

"What are you thinking we'll do once we get there?" Nick asked, pushing the thoughts of his parents out of his head and concentrating on the love of his life in front of him.

Julie smiled. "That's for me to know and for you to find out."

"Does it involve the blue lace thing?" Nick asked.

"Maybe," Julie said coyly.

"I'll wear the leather trousers if you wear the blue lace thing," Nick offered. "And I won't wear anything BUT the leather trousers."

"You're on," Julie said.

Nick pulled her in and gave her a kiss. "I love you Jules." he said softly.

"I love you," she whispered back, knowing that seeing his parents tonight had shook him more than he cared to admit. "Everything's going to be fine, Nick. I promise."

"I hope you're right," he said. "As long as you're here with me I'll be all right."

"I'm not going anywhere," she said smiling up at him.

"That's the best thing I've heard all night." he gave her another kiss.

"Now," Julie said. "Let's go home and get you into those leather trousers..."

"And out of them too," Nick laughed.

"Now THAT'S the best thing I've heard all night," Julie said.

*** *** ***

In light of the bad publicity, Hermione decided to hold a press conference that day to respond to her critics and reassure the public. She was going over some last minute revisions to her prepared speech.

"Are you sure you didn't want to have your children present?" her assistant Sam asked. "It might be a good photo opportunity."

Hermione shook her head. "I would never use my children for something like that Sam, you know that."

"Yes Minister but it might bring in sympathy votes." Samuel Baker was a good second in command but would do anything, absolutely anything, to look good in the public eye.

"Harry and I have always been vocal about wanting to keep them out of the public eye," Hermione told him. "How do you think it would look if we suddenly trotted them out for everyone to see now? Sam, those reporters would call me a hypocrite and you know it."

"Yes Minister," he said, handing her back a section of her speech that he'd been looking over.

"She won't be alone up there," Harry said from the doorway. Hermione looked up in surprise at him.

"Harry? What are you doing here?" she asked.

"You need a bodyguard," her husband said with a smile. "I don't trust these reporters as far as I could throw them. And I don't like you being alone up there without an Auror closer than the back of the room. So here I am."

Hermione smiled. "I'll have the best Auror up there with me."

"That's right," Harry said with satisfaction.

"Now that's going to score us some great numbers," Sam said looking quite pleased with himself. "I'm going to go and check on some last minute things, Minister."

"Right," Hermione replied. "Honestly, sometimes that man makes me want to go mad." she said once he was out of earshot.

Harry nodded in understanding. His wife looked quick frazzled and he could tell she was nervous.

"You're going to have them eating out of your hand," he told her.

"I hope so," Hermione said. "This is the lowest my numbers have ever been. And it's all due to some silly articles."

"This is the Daily Prophet we're talking about Hermione," Harry reassured her. "For all we know, they fudged those numbers to support that rubbish they've been writing."

"I hadn't thought of that," Hermione admitted as they went to the front of the room where her table was set up.

"Before Ethan left for school, he told me to tell you that he wished you luck and that no matter what, he loved you," Harry said.

Hermione smiled. "That makes me feel loads better." she said. "He is so sweet."

"He gets that from me you know," Harry said smugly.

"Aye," Hermione laughed. "He gets lots from you."

Harry smiled. "So how much longer before this all begins?"

"About five minutes," Hermione answered.

Harry touched her cheek. "Just enough time for me to do this..."

Hermione closed her eyes and leaned into her husband's kiss.

"For luck," he said softly when they pulled apart.

"Having you here is all the luck I need," Hermione buried her face in his shoulder.

Sam cleared his throat to alert them to his presence.

"Sorry to interrupt," he said sheepishly. "But I was wanting to know if we could go ahead and let the reporters in. They're going to need to set up."

"Go ahead," Hermione answered, pulling away from Harry and taking her seat behind the table. Her husband sat on her right side and Sam would be seated to her left once the conference began.

One by one, the reporters came into the office taking their seats and talking animatedly to each other. Hermione could make out some snide remarks from some of them, but she was bolstered by Harry's presence.

"Just keep a brave face," he said quietly to her. "You'll get through this and be back on top again."

"Right," Hermione said smiling at him.

Sam put on his most winning smile as he opened the press conference and introduced Hermione.

"Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen," he said. "The Minister has prepared a few remarks to open the press conference. Afterwards, she will welcome questions."

Hermione stood up. "Thank you Samuel." she turned to face the reporters. "I called everyone here to discuss and lay to rest some of the comments and rumours that have recently come to light about my personal life and my professional one."

"Some people have called into question my ability to run the Ministry while also caring for my family," Hermione continued. "I won't lie to you and say that it hasn't been hard to balance my position as Minister with my role as a wife and mother."

"Are you going to comment on the recent article about one Gordon Devereaux?" one eager reporter interrupted her speech.

"The Minister will take your questions after she has finished her prepared remarks," Samuel interjected. "Please hold all questions until she has finished."

"I will answer any and all questions about my duties to you, the public as Minister." Hermione continued. "I will be more hesitant to answer any questions about my private life including questions about my children. We have always asked that their privacy be respected and today is no exception. Thank you." she sat back down.

"What about Gordon Devereaux?" the eager reporter asked again. "Is it true that you strung him along and drove him into madness?"

"The situation with Gordon Devereaux happened over twenty years ago," Hermione answered. "He has some mental issues that were not addressed for many years. As for me stringing him along, that is untrue."

"What was your relationship with Mr. Devereaux?" the reporter continued.

"We were friends," Hermione said. "Back when we were students at Beauxbatons and then for a little while, until his mental problems took over, we were friends at University."

"You expect us to believe you had nothing to do with his so-called mental problems, Minister?" the reporter asked.

"I expect you to believe that I'm telling you the truth," Hermione said coolly. "Seeing as I have no reason to lie about it."

"And what about the bad publicity you've received these past few weeks?" another reporter asked. "You've had to deal with rumours of your husband's infidelity. There were those pictures of him accosting a photographer in a Muggle park. Many people thought that you used your husband's name to become Minister and now his name might be tarnishing your own image. How do you respond to that?'"

"First of all, my marriage to Harry has been and remains strong as it ever was." Hermione began. "As you can all see, he's here today to give me support. The reason he was so angry in the park was due to a photographer taking shots of our youngest daughter."

"But even you have to admit he didn't handle that situation in the best way," the reporter commented.

"No he didn't," Hermione admitted, sharing a look with Harry, who nodded. "And if we could, we'd take it back. But we can't. Yet the fact remains is that we agree to pose for photos as long as no one tries to sneak pictures of our children."

"Is it true that your son was missing a few days ago?" a reporter asked and Hermione froze. She had no idea how someone had found out about that. No one outside of the family knew about the incident with Ethan a few days back.

"Not entirely," Hermione replied slowly. "And that's a private family matter."

"Your son ran away, didn't he?" the reporter asked.

"I believe my wife said that it was a private family matter," Harry spoke up.

The reporter smiled. He had Harry Potter right where he wanted him. If he continued on this line of questioning perhaps that fiery Potter temper would emerge.

"He was upset about hearing his father was cheating on his mother, wasn't he?" the reporter asked trying not to smile as he asked the question.

Now Samuel's eyes darkened in anger. "If you keep up with the questions we'll have you removed from this room." he said firmly.

"Fair enough," the reporter backed off, hoping one of his colleagues would follow through.

Samuel sat back down and Hermione sent him a grateful look. "Next please." she said in a calmer tone.

"How are you balancing your role as Minister with your duties as a wife and mother?" a reporter from The Quibbler asked.

"Lately not so well," Hermione said, feeling more relaxed at this question. "But I hope once this hype calms down I'll be able to divide my time like I did before. Having two children around definitely makes things a bit crazier but I do my best to spend as much time with them as possible while fulfilling all promises I made during my campaign."

"And how is the youngest Potter doing, if you don't mind me asking?" the reporter asked.

"She's doing quite well, thank you." Hermione said with a smile.

"And she's letting her mum and dad get some sleep in every now and then," Harry chimed in, causing a few of the less hostile reporters to laugh.

"And your son?" another reporter asked, writing furiously trying to capture every word. "He's in primary school correct?"

"Yes," Hermione said. "And he's quite ready for his summer holidays."

For the next half hour, Harry grew more and more proud of his wife as she fielded every question that came her way. Some of them bordered on quite personal, but she managed to evade those. Until the same reporter who'd been asking about Ethan near the end stood up when they were almost out of time.

"One more question if I might, Minister," the reporter asked with a smirk.

Hermione recognised him and gave a curt nod. "Yes?" she asked.

"Did you know that former model Isabella Marconi is publishing a book about her relationship with your husband?" the reporter asked. When Hermione didn't answer, he continued. "And she claims that their relationship continued for years after you married Potter."

"I would ask her when she decided to start writing fiction novels," Hermione retorted with a smile. "And I would also ask when she learned to write. Good day."

Samuel quickly ushered the reporters and photographers out of the office as Harry congratulated his wife.

"Well done, Hermione," he said giving her a hug.

"Thanks," Hermione smiled as he kissed her cheek. "Can you believe the nerve of that one bloke though? As if Isabella really knew how to put a quill to parchment and write something other than her name..."

"I heard she was desperate for money," Harry said shaking his head. "But I didn't know how much until now."

"I'd feel sorry for her but she's so despicable," Hermione said. "So really, she brought it on herself."

"How did they find out about Ethan though?" Harry asked. "No one knew about that outside of our friends and family."

"I have no idea," Hermione shook her head. "That's just strange- I know Greta would never say a word, and the only other people that knew were Nick and Julie and they aren't talking either."

"We'll get to the bottom of it," Harry said reassuringly. "I'd hate to think someone we trusted was blabbing our secrets."

"Right," Hermione said. "And you said you have an Auror keeping an eye on him at school right?"

"All the time," Harry replied.

"Good," Hermione said. "I'm actually exhausted from that. The last thing I want to do is go back in the office now."

"How about we go home then?" he asked her. "I happen to know a two-month old who would like to arrange a meeting with her mum."

"I don't think Samuel will mind too much if I ask him to take over the meeting I have later today." Hermione agreed. "I miss my baby girl. And I'd love to surprise Ethan by being home when he gets back from school."

"It's settled then," Harry said. "Let's go home."

Ginny was trying very hard to be patient, but Narcissa wasn't making it easy. She and Narcissa were planning St. Mungos fundraising ball. On the one hand, it kept Lucius at bay, but on the other she had to spend countless hours with her dreadful mother-in-law. Ginny kept trying to tell herself that this was the lesser of two evils, but it was really becoming a test of her own will.

"I still think conservative is the way to go," Narcissa was saying. "People like the classics."

"But people like to dress the way they want to," Ginny said, tapping her quill. "This isn't the early 1900's."

"That's the trouble with you young people," Narcissa said frowning at her daughter-in-law. "You think that your way is always right. I was doing this sort of thing before you were out of nappies, Ginevra. You could learn a thing or two from me."

"Well I don't think we're always right," Ginny rolled her eyes. "But I do know what's in style these days and what people like to do and wear despite what you think."

Narcissa sighed heavily before taking a sip of her tea. "You'd better not screw this up, Ginevra. This is going to be a very important night."

"I'm a better party planner than you ever could be," Ginny was finally at the end of her rope. "I've NEVER screwed up a party that I planned."

"And what's that supposed to mean?" Narcissa said, her eyes darkening.

"It means I know what I'm doing and I don't need your help," Ginny snapped back.

"You were the one who came to me and asked me to help you," Narcissa reminded her.

"A momentary lapse of insanity," Ginny shot back, throwing her quill down and standing up.

"Fine," Narcissa said standing up as well. "Plan this party on your own. But don't come crying to me when you fall on your gold digging face."

"I am NOT a gold digger," Ginny said furiously. "Draco's worked hard for what he and I have today."

"That's right," Narcissa said. "HE worked hard. What did you do? Paint your nails?"

"I worked as a chambermaid while he went to school," Ginny's face was red with anger.

Narcissa laughed. "If you ask me, someone of your questionable upbringing should still be working as a chambermaid."

Ginny's hand curled into a fist and she might have actually struck her mother in law if Lucius hadn't entered the room right then.

Lucius grinned as he saw his daughter-in-law. She was a fiery one, he thought admiringly.

"Good afternoon, ladies," he said smiling at them, his eyes lingering on Ginny.

"I didn't think you'd be home until later," Narcissa said.

"I finished my business early," Lucius said, his eyes still locked on his daughter in law, who was looking away from them.

"Maybe you can talk some sense into Ginevra then," Narcissa said. "She refuses to listen to a word I say."

"What seems to be the problem?" Lucius ventured closer to her.

Ginny shivered. Something about the way he was looking at her scared her.

"We--we just have a difference of opinion is all," she said still not meeting his gaze.

Lucius glanced at his wife, who rolled her eyes and strode from the room. "Would you like me to say something to her?" he asked Ginny, reaching out to push a lock of her hair out of her face.

"No," Ginny said backing away from him. "I can handle her myself. Thank you."

"Are you sure?" Lucius asked calmly, with a smile the resembled a leer on his face. His eyes skipped down her slender body and back up.

"Positive," Ginny said, walking over to the table and trying to gather her paperwork. Her hands were shaking and she tried to steady herself. The last thing she needed was for him to see her rattled.

"Where's my son this evening?" Lucius asked in a drawling manner, blocking the doorway.

"He should be home any minute," Ginny answered shakily. "Could you please let me by? I have some letters I need to go through..."

Lucius smiled coolly and moved over the slightest bit.

Ginny tried to brush past him, but he grabbed her arm. "What?"

Lucius's smile grew. "I just wonder what a firecracker like you is doing with a waste of time like my son," he said.

Ginny stared at him. "I beg your pardon?"

"You heard me," Lucius said.

"I love your son," Ginny answered. "And he loves me. And he is most certainly not a waste of time. He's an outstanding healer and he's going to be a fantastic Minister for Magic."

"Not without my help," Lucius said, still blocking her way out.

"Draco could do this without you," Ginny told him defiantly.

"I highly doubt that," Lucius said silkily, leaning in. "Draco couldn't work his way out of a paper bag by himself."

Ginny squirmed to get away from him. "Why are you offering to help him if you think he's worthless? Why would you do that, Mr. Malfoy?"

"Because I want the name Malfoy to mean something again," Lucius's smile slipped off his face.

"Draco will do that and more," Ginny said, finally managing to get past him. "Now, if you'll excuse me..."

"I'll see you around, Ginevra," Lucius said in a low tone.

"Not if I can help it," Ginny said under her breath as she sprinted up the stairs. She could feel his eyes on her the entire time.

*** *** ***

"It's so nice that she's been easing into a sleep pattern," Hermione said to Pansy as the healer checked Saffron over. "And she's stopped crying so much too."

"And she gets cuter every time I see her," Pansy said smiling down at the baby.

"I'd have to agree with you," Hermione laughed. "Of course, I'm biased as can be..."

Pansy laughed. "I caught your press conference on the wireless the other day. Fantastic job, I have to say."

"Thanks," Hermione said. "It was nice to put a lot of those rumours to rest."

Pansy gingerly handed Saffron back to Hermione.

"What was all that rubbish about Ethan? He tried to run away?"

"He saw the article about Harry and Natalie, and he didn't understand that it was fabricated," Hermione said. "So he ran off because he was upset."

Pansy nodded. "He understands that none of that was true, right?"

"He does now," Hermione replied. "After we grounded him for running away."

"I wonder how someone found out about that," Pansy thought aloud.

"We've been trying to figure that out too," Hermione set Saffron back in her pram.

Pansy scribbled some notes on Saffron's chart. "How about I walk you two out?"

"That sounds lovely," Hermione said.

There was a man standing in the doorway to Draco's office and Pansy just shook her head. In the short time Malfoy had been here, he had people from all over coming over to kiss his arse and sing his praises.

Hermione followed her gaze and narrowed her eyes. "That's the reporter that knew about Ethan," she whispered to Pansy.

"Really?" Pansy whispered back. "What do you...of course. He's obviously in cahoots with Malfoy."

Hermione's eyes narrowed even further. "What the hell is his plan?" she asked.

"I'll be in touch," the reporter said to Draco and right before the man turned his head, Pansy closed her office door so he couldn't see them.

"There's something else I think you should know," Pansy said keeping her voice low. "I caught Draco on Gordon Devereaux floor the other day. I didn't know why he was there because he doesn't specialise in that sort of healing, you know? But now it all makes sense. "

"Gordon!" Hermione exclaimed. "That bloody bastard! I KNEW Draco was behind these articles showing up!"

"What are you going to do?" Pansy asked.

"I'm going to tell Harry about this for starters," Hermione replied. "I just don't know what his agenda is. I mean, why move here just to plant ridiculous articles about me and Harry? They've made it obvious they don't care about Nick so he can't be the reason they're here."

"You would think he wouldn't be seeking revenge for things that happened years ago," Pansy commented. "And though I hate to admit it, he did have a good reputation in Sydney. I don't know why he would come here. For all intents and purposes, his job here is kind of a step down from what he had in Australia."

"Maybe Harry will know what to do," Hermione opened the door back up. "Good, that reporter is gone."

"I'll keep an eye on Malfoy for you here," Pansy offered. "Let you know if I notice anything out of the ordinary."

"Thank you Pansy," Hermione said gratefully. "I'll see you in a month if not sooner."

"Good luck, Hermione," Pansy said, watching as her friend walked away pushing Saffron in the pram. "I think you're going to need it."

Hermione smiled at the healer as she left the office. She headed straight for the Ministry building, pushing Saffron's pram in front of her as she headed for the Aurors section.

Harry was eating lunch at his desk when he looked up and saw his wife.

"This is a nice surprise," he said walking around the desk. "Two of my favourite girls in the whole world..."

"Hello love," Hermione greeted her husband. "I wish this was a social call but it really isn't..."

Harry reached into the pram to pick up Saffron. "Saffy's okay, isn't she?"

"She's fine," Hermione replied. She quickly told him about who she'd seen in Draco's office and what Pansy told her.

"Why am I not surprised?" he asked when she'd finished.

"I don't know why I am." Hermione replied as Natalie came back in the room.

"Oh, hello Minister," Natalie said. "I didn't mean to interrupt."

"Quite all right Natalie," Hermione smiled at her. "How are you?"

"Very well thank you," Natalie replied. "And how is Miss Saffron today?"

"She's doing just fine," Harry grinned, wiggling one of Saffron's tiny hands at Natalie.

Natalie smiled and sat down at her desk.

"What do you think we should do?" Hermione asked her husband. "He's definitely got an agenda here, but what?"

"I'm not sure," Harry mused, kissing his daughter on the side of her head. "Maybe... I wonder if there's a way to get someone in there with polyjuice or something... to see if they'd talk if they don't know they're being overheard."

"Excuse me sir," Natalie said looking up from her paperwork. "I don't know what sort of situation you're talking about here, but when you're trying to do surveillance like that, wouldn't it be best to use the polyjuice to turn someone into a servant---like a maid or a butler?"

Harry looked at Hermione. "I'd bet my right arm they have a maid," he said slowly.

Hermione nodded. The Malfoys would most certainly have a maid. "We just need to find out who that is." She looked over at Natalie. "Brilliant suggestion, Auror Worthington."

Natalie's face glowed. "Thank you Minister."

Harry looked at his trainee. "Natalie, how would you like to do some preliminary surveillance?"

"You want me to go in?" she asked in surprise.

"Not just yet," Harry said quickly. "I want you to try and find out where the Malfoys are staying. If you go by in the early morning, you'll probably be greeted by someone in their staff. You can just make something up about getting the wrong house or something..."

Natalie was excited. "You mean you're really going to let me do field work on my own?" she asked.

"This was your idea after all," Harry said smiling at her. "And I think you're more than capable of doing this."

"Wow," Natalie's face was flushed with pride. "I'll do my best sir. I really will. I'll start tomorrow morning!"

Harry smiled. "I know you will, Natalie."

Hermione smiled at her and then looked back at Harry. "You should probably talk to Remus before sending her anywhere," she reminded him. "To make sure she has the proper warrants and papers and such."

Harry nodded. "You know if this whole Minister thing doesn't work out for you, I think we'd have a place for you here as an Auror, Mrs. Potter."

Hermione shook her head. "The Minister thing is working out just fine for me, Mr. Potter. I'll leave all the daring and dangerous work to you."

"What do you think, Saffy?" Harry asked looking at his daughter. "Do you think Daddy can handle that? Um, Hermione....I uh---would changing dirty nappies constitute daring and dangerous work? Or would that fall under your jurisdiction?"

Saffron cooed up at her father and reached for the swatch of black fringe that fell into his eyes.

Hermione laughed. "I think she wants you to change her love."

"Nooo..." Harry tried to push her little hand away but Saffron grabbed onto his hair and pulled. "Hermione!"

"Sweetheart, don't hurt Daddy," Hermione said stepping in to offer her help. "Take note, Natalie. If he gives you any trouble, just yank at his hair."

Natalie laughed. "I'll keep that in mind Minister."

"I'll let you two get back to work," Hermione said taking Saffron back from Harry. "We should probably be heading home."

"I'll see you later," Harry winced at his reflection in the mirror above Natalie's desk. "Bloody hell, I'm going to be bald in another year if she keeps pulling at my hair!"

"You could always get a hair cut so you wouldn't have that problem," Natalie suggested, stifling a giggle.

"Lose this?" Harry scoffed, running his hands through the messy inky black strands. "I've kept it this way for years. I'm not about to change it now."

"I'm sure Saffy will grow out of her grabbing stage," Natalie said helpfully.

"Eventually," Harry grimaced as he kissed his wife and daughter goodbye.

"Will you be home late tonight?" Hermione asked.

"Soon as I can be," Harry said. "Natalie and I will go talk to Remus about this and get the necessary paperwork filed."

"Okay," Hermione said. "I'll see you when you get home then."

"Bye love," Harry said, watching as she left the office.

Natalie concentrated on her paperwork trying to curtail her excitement about her upcoming fieldwork. She couldn't wait to tell Tristan about it.

Lucius couldn't sleep. He was beyond frustrated. It was extremely difficult to sleep next to his wife when he was thinking about the feisty redhead a few doors down. She was certainly proving to be a challenge.

Deciding a nice glass of brandy would do the trick, Lucius made his way downstairs and into the kitchen.

Marisol was up late setting the table so she would have less to do that next morning and she wouldn't have to risk either of the Malfoy women yelling at her for not having her job done fast enough.

"Well, well, well," Lucius drawled looking at the maid. He couldn't remember her name, but she was quite pretty---for a servant.

"Good evening sir," Marisol nervously dropped into a curtsey. "I'm sorry if I woke you sir. I was just getting a head start on tomorrow's duties."

"You didn't wake me," Lucius said lasciviously.

Marisol didn't know what to say so she nodded and turned back to her work.

Lucius walked over to the liquor cabinet and helped himself to the brandy. He could have asked the girl to get it for him, but he was too busy admiring her body as she bent over the table.

She was aware of Mr. Malfoy's eyes on her as she worked, and she tried to ignore it but his stare was starting to make her extremely nervous. "Is there anything I can get you sir before I retire?" she asked timidly.

"That depends," Lucius said huskily. "What are you offering?"

"I... I'm afraid I don't know what you mean sir," Marisol trembled as he came closer to her.

"It's your job to satisfy my every need, isn't it?" he asked cornering her.

Marisol turned her head as he leaned in. "Not... no sir. Not this way."

Lucius put his hands on her shoulders. "I could make it worth your while, my sweet."

"I have someone back home sir," Marisol shook her head. "I couldn't possibly..."

"And I have a wife," Lucius interjected. "I won't tell if you won't."

"No sir," Marisol said, feeling a bit bolder. "This is not my job."

"You know where I am if you change your mind," Lucius said, deciding to drop it for now. Besides, the maid wasn't the woman he really wanted. She was just going to be someone to pass the time with.

"I won't sir," Marisol said, still feeling bold.

"Fair enough," Lucius said, but he kept his hands on her shoulders. "And I trust I don't have to warn you of the consequences if you tell anyone about my proposition."

"I don't think your son would like hearing about it," Marisol tried to squirm away from him but his grip was tight.

"Whose word do you think my son would take?" Lucius asked her. "Mine or some lowly maid?"

Marisol looked away and didn't answer; she just prayed he'd leave her alone.

"You'd better run along to bed," Lucius said with a grin.

"Good night," Marisol choked, finally able to pull away from him.

Lucius drained his glass and thought briefly of having another. It was going to be a long night with that cold creature lying beside him. Once he was minister, he wouldn't have to worry about that. He'd have everything he'd always wanted---and that list now included his son's wife.

12. Chapter 12

A/N: Thanks you guys who took the time to leave a comment- we’ve gotten some really awesome reviews from you guys lately and it’s really made fanfiction worth writing.

We will update on Tuesday, but for obvious reasons, we will not update next Saturday as we’ll have some NEW CANON to read! Who else is nervous/excited/all of the above? Probably all of us ;p

Anyways- as always, please let us know what you think at the end of the chapter- something rather explosive happens in the next one that will have you all absolutely HATING Lucius if you don’t already!!!

Allison and Lizzy exchanged an amused look as Josh and Jon engaged in their fifth argument of the afternoon. The brothers were moving into their new flat today and their girlfriends along with Julie and Nick were helping them get settled.

"I don't know why you're putting your stuff in that back bedroom, Jon," Josh called after his brother who was lugging his trunk to that very bedroom. "It's my room!"

"No Joshua," Jon called back. "We discussed that it would be mine. You wanted the one closest to the sitting room!"

"I never said that!" Josh argued. "I said I wanted the bigger room and being as I am older, I think I should get it. I'm the one who is starting University in the fall. I'm the one who is going to need the extra space, not you."

"You're only older by three minutes!" Jon retorted. "And I need the room too! I'm going to be teaching people how to fly and I'll have more than one broomstick I'll need to store."

Julie shook her head. "I don't know what your parents were thinking letting the two of you live together. There's an easy way to handle this, boys."

"Like what?" Josh asked curiously.

Julie produced a sickle from her jeans pocket. "You can flip for the back bedroom."

"Fine," Jon said, glaring at his brother.

"You want to call it Josh?" Julie asked. "Heads or Tails?"

"Heads I guess," Josh grunted.

"Okay," Julie said tossing the coin up in the air and then catching it in her hand. Both boys looked expectantly at her. "Sorry, Josh. Back bedroom is Jon's."

"Damn it," Josh said. "All right, I guess fair's fair."

Jon smiled and continued to carry his things into the back bedroom. Lizzy put an arm around Josh. "It's not that much bigger than your room, Josh. And you have the better view."

"I guess," Josh said. "I just hate losing to that smarmy git."

"Hey!" Allison teased. "That smarmy git you're talking about is my boyfriend!!"

"I'm sorry," Josh said, not sounding sorry at all. "You just happened to have chosen the worse twin." he grinned at her.

"You sound just like my Dad," Allison said throwing a pillow at him.

"So does that mean I got the good twin?" Lizzy teased, putting her arms around him. "I do like the sound of that..."

"I like to think so," Josh said. "And you are the smartest witch at Hogwarts."

"The good twin and the smartest witch in the smaller bedroom," Lizzy said with a laugh. "I think we can make this work. Besides the better view, you have the nice window seat where you can study."

"I'm feeling better already," Josh said sincerely.

"Well could you help me with these books then?" Nick asked coming back into the flat carrying a large box. "Are you sure you aren't Hermione's kid? You have as many books as she does."

Josh laughed. "She did give me a few boxes worth for my area of study in University." he said. "Some of her old textbooks from that time... I think they'll come in really handy."

"No wonder this box is so full," Nick said setting it down beside the sofa.

"Is the big rock star sore from carrying so many books?" Jon teased, coming back in the room.

"The only reason I'm doing this is because you two helped Jules and I move into our cottage." Nick replied.

"Family togetherness," Jon said comically. "It's a Weasley trait."

"That and we knew Nana was going to feed us when we were there," Josh said.

"I remember that," Allison said, patting her stomach. "I didn't think I could eat as much as I did, but I couldn't help it. Everything was so good!"

"Aye," Nick said. "Nana's great for feeding the masses."

"She's coming over later," Jon said.

Allison frowned. "How much later? My dad said I had to be home by eight."

"Eight?" Jon said. "Why so early?"

"You have met my father, haven't you?" Allison asked. "I'm lucky I'm here at all."

"But I thought as long as Julie was here you could stay," Jon objected. "She said she'd stay as late as you wanted."

"I know," Allison frowned. "But--"

"But nothing," Julie said. "How about I floo over to your house and tell your dad that we're all going to eat late and that Nick and I will bring you home as soon as we finish."

"Do you think that'll work?" Allison asked. "I really want to stay but he's just being so..."

"It's worth a shot," Julie told her. She could certainly sympathize with the younger girl's plight. It wasn't easy dealing with a father who didn't want to admit that his little girl was growing up.

"Okay," Allison said. "Thanks Julie."

"No problem," Julie said making her way over to the fireplace.

Jon picked up another box and motioned with his head for her to come back to his bedroom with him.

Allison followed him down the hall not really wanting to hear her father telling Julie that under no circumstances was his daughter to be home after eight o'clock.

"It's a bit tense at home aye?" Jon asked her after closing the door.

Allison nodded. "He wouldn't even let me come over here to help you move unless I had a chaperone, Jon. You'd think I was Maddie's age the way he's treating me."

He pulled his girlfriend close and kissed her forehead as she leaned against him. "He'll come around Al. Sooner or later he'll have to. There's no way I'm ever giving you up."

Allison smiled up at him. "And whether my dad likes it or not, I'm going to be with you."

Jon grinned back at her then leaned in for a kiss. "Love you Al," he said a moment later when they pulled apart.

"I love you," she whispered.

"Allie?" Julie knocked on the door. "Good news- I managed to convince your dad that we had tons of work to do and I'll bring you back home when we're finished." she grinned. "I wonder if I should put a leash on you just to convince Uncle Neville that you've been a good girl."

"Don't give Dad any ideas," Allison said laughing. "Thanks, Julie. I appreciate it."

"It's no problem," Julie said. "I'm just glad I can be of help in allowing the two of you to have some time together."

"Me too," Jon said smiling at her. "It's good to have you in our corner."

"You have pretty much everyone in your corner," Julie shook her head. "I don't get why Uncle Neville is so against this. You're a good bloke Jon. Allie here could have done a lot worse." she smiled at the both of them.

"My mum thinks that he's overprotective because of what happened with mum when she was pregnant with Chi," Allison said softly.

"Well yeah, but we aren't sleeping together," Jon pointed out. "Well... we're not shagging." he said sheepishly.

"That and he'd never leave you if something did happen." Julie agreed.

"No way," Jon said emphatically.

Allison squeezed his hand. "I know that."

"Don't worry you two," Julie said. "Everything will work out eventually. Look what happened with Nick - and things couldn't be better for us."

"Exactly," Allison said. "When does he leave for his tour?"

"In a week," Julie said. "He'll be gone for two, and then back with a few weeks to spare for Chi's wedding."

"I still can't believe my sister's getting married," Allison said. "My mum can't talk about anything else it seems."

"It's very exciting," Julie agreed.

"I guess it goes to show you how wrong those superstitions about weddings are," Jon joked. "You caught the bouquet at Lavender's wedding, but Chiaki is the next one getting married."

Julie laughed. "That's true," she replied. "Although now that Nick and I have moved in together everyone sort of expects we'll be next."

"Any wedding bells in your future?" Allison asked.

"Not at this point," Julie said. "But I don't know, I don't feel a rush to go that step... although if he asked..." she grinned.

"You'd say yes without a moment's hesitation," Allison finished.

"That's right," Julie laughed. "I'd be crazy not to."

"Oi!" Josh called out from down the hall. "I hate to break up your good time, but are you guys going to help or what?"

"We are!" Jon came out of the room. "We had to... set something up."

"In your big, but not better bedroom," Josh teased.

"Don't you start," Lizzy admonished.

"Okay," Josh said. "I'll be nice."

"We need to go to the shops," Jon said to his twin. "Even though Nana's bringing food over, Dad will eat it all."

"You're right," Josh said. "Maybe we should make a list so we'll know what to get."

"Watch Uncle Ron add all sorts of extra things to it," Nick cracked from where he was unpacking some of Josh's books.

"I almost forgot!" Allison said walking over to the door and reaching into her bag. "I made some biscuits for you guys last night. Consider it my housewarming present to you."

"Ooh," all the guys crowded around her. "Chocolate chip?"

"Chocolate chocolate chip," Allison said opening up the tin. "The same recipe Maddie and I used when I visited you guys."

"Fantastic," Jon stuffed three in his mouth.

"Hey save some for us," Lizzy and Julie elbowed their way in.

Nick grabbed one and popped it into his mouth. "Wow, Allie. These are great."

"Thanks Nick," Allison set the tin on the table. "They're really easy to make."

"Don't anyone get too comfortable," Lizzy said as she finished off her own biscuit. "We still have loads to do."

"We know Mother," Josh said with a smartass grin.

"Josh!" Lizzy glared at him. "You were the one who said you wanted to finish this all today."

"I was joking," Josh said, grabbing another biscuit.

"I doubt the two of you can live on this alone," Julie said. "Josh is right. You should probably go down to the shops and pick up some basics---bread, milk, eggs..."

"Crisps, more biscuits, jelly slugs, sugar quills," Nick interjected cheekily.

"Butterbeer and Firewhisky," Jon finished.

Julie shook her head. "Those aren't basics, boys."

"But they're necessities," Nick said in defence. "Come on, you know a wizard can't relax without a bottle of Firewhisky around."

"Come on," Julie said, grabbing her bag. "I'm going to show you boys what you need to buy...and Firewhisky is not on the shopping list."

"Me and Allie will stay here," Jon said. "In case my parents or Nana shows up."

"And miss out on all the fun?" Nick asked sarcastically.

"I'm sure I'll have my chance to make up for it," Jon deadpanned.

"Josh will take good notes for you," Julie said. "Come on, let's go."

Allison heard her boyfriend close the door behind them all and waited for him in the kitchen. "Finally some time to ourselves," she said. "Without interruptions..."

"And no chaperones," Jon teased. "Try and behave yourself, Miss Longbottom."

"Look who's talking," Allison snorted. "You are the bad twin after all..." she teased.

Jon laughed. "Okay, well the bad twin thinks we should at least put these dishes up. You know how my Nana gets. She'll get here and want to do it all herself.."

"That's true," Allison agreed as Jon set a box on the counter.

Jon unpacked the box. "You know these are the same dishes my mum and dad used when they moved in together?"

"Are they really?" Allison asked with interest. "Isn't it weird to think of our parents being our age and doing all this for the first time?"

"It is," Jon agreed. "Most of this stuff in here was theirs from their first flat. They had it in storage."

"It's good that they saved it all," Allison ran some water in the sink to rinse the dishes off. "Now you don't have to buy any."

"I know," Jon said, joining her at the sink. "Money's probably going to be tight for Josh and me for awhile."

"You guys will make do," Allison said. "Especially once you start teaching. People will line up around the block when they see how good you are at flying."

Jon stood behind her and rested his chin on her shoulder. "When you say it like that, I almost believe it could really happen."

"It will," Allison turned to smile at him.

"I want to make you proud of me," he said softly, cupping her face in his hands.

"I already am Jon," Allison turned off the water.

"I'm really glad you're here," he said before leaning in and kissing her.

Allison was unable to keep from responding to the touch of his lips. "Me too," she whispered.

Jon buried his face in her neck, then kissed the hollow of her shoulder.

She let out a soft whimper as his lips skimmed over her skin. He set her on the counter as her legs wrapped around his middle.

"I've wanted to do this all day," he whispered.

"Me too," she said, running her hands up under his shirt.

"Allie," be breathed against her neck.

She whimpered again as his hands began to tug up on her shirt.

Jon looked into her eyes. "Do you....do you want to go to my room?"

"Yes," she said weakly.

Jon kissed her as he picked her up off the counter and carried her to the back bedroom, wondering the entire time if this was a dream.

They collapsed on the bare mattress, their lips fused together, hands roaming everywhere.

"I want you, Allie," he whispered between kisses. "So much..."

"I want you too Jon..." Allison gasped as his tongue flicked over her skin.

Both of them were so caught up in each other, they hadn't heard the front door open.

"Joshua! Jonathan!" Molly called out, setting her basket of food down on the coffee table.

"They're not here, Mum," Ron said looking at the basket. "I guess that means I get the food!"

"They're around here or they just stepped out for a moment," Molly swatted her son's hand away from the basket.

"Do you hear something?" Allison asked breathlessly.

"No," Jon pressed his lips to hers again.

"Ronald Weasley, step away from that basket right now!" Molly yelled. "That's for your sons!"

"Now I know I heard something," Allison pulled away.

"I was only going to get a bite," Ron whined.

Jon froze. "That's my dad, Al."

"I hope mine isn't here too!" Allison pushed him off her and scrambled for her shirt.

"You and me both," Jon said, grabbing his t-shirt from the floor. "I'm rather fond of breathing."

"Just say I'm in the loo," Allison ran for the door and slipped across the hall.

"Right," Jon said. He ran a hand through his hair and forcing a smile walked out of the bedroom and into the sitting room where his parents and grandmother were sitting.

"Jonathan!" Molly exclaimed, getting to her feet when she saw him. "We didn't think anyone was home!"

"Sorry," Jon said, giving his grandmother a hug. "I was setting up some things in my bedroom. Al's in the loo."

"I've brought loads of food just for my boys," Molly said with a pointed look at Ron.

"Aren't I one of your boys?" Ron pleaded.

"This food is for your sons, Ron," Molly said. "I told you that how many times already?"

In the bathroom, Allison dabbed at her face with a cold washcloth. She could still feel Jon's touch on her skin.

"Thanks Nana," Jon said gratefully. "Josh and I will make good use of this."

"I should hope so," Luna teased. "That's enough to feed a small army...oh hello, Allie!"

"Hi," Allison said, hoping her face still wasn't all flushed and her lips not so swollen. "I thought I heard voices out here." she smiled at her boyfriend's parents and grandmother.

"I trust you and Elizabeth have been keeping my boys straight," Molly said giving her a hug.

"We've certainly been trying," Allison grinned.

"Al?" Jon asked. "How about you and I go and get the dishes....?"

"Sure," Allison quickly agreed. "We were just unpacking the dishes you guys had saved."

"Our first dishes!" Luna exclaimed dreamily, launching into another trip down memory lane.

Once Jon had his girlfriend alone in the kitchen, he took her hand. "Hey...are you okay?"

"I'm fine," Allison said, the heat returning to her face and neck. "Jon... I don't know what would have happened in there if your parents hadn't come in..."

"I know," he said softly. "Things were getting a little heated, weren't they?"

"Just a bit," Allison agreed quietly.

"I'm sorry," he said in a low tone. "I--I don't know what to say..."

"It wasn't a bad thing," Allison said, putting her hand on his cheek so he'd look at her.

"I love you, Allie," he whispered. "We don't have to rush into anything."

"I know," she leaned against him and felt him sigh into her hair. "Come on, let's get those dishes so we can eat before everyone else gets back."

"Right," he said grabbing some dishes while Allison pulled out some silverware.

"Do you think they know?" she whispered.

"I don't think so," Jon said thoughtfully. "If we looked a little flushed, they probably thought it was because we were working so hard."

"That's true," Allison said. "Besides, your parents don't seem to mind so much."

"My parents love you," Jon told her reassuringly. "I lost count of how many times Mum said she liked having you around when you were at the house."

"I'm glad to hear that," Allison said softly as they left the kitchen.

"Where's the rest of the clan?" Jon asked as he set the plates on the coffee table.

"With your grandfather," Molly said.

"You left Drew and Darla, not to mention Maddie and R.J. alone with Grandpa?" Jon asked. "They'll tear the house down, Nana."

"Don't forget Dolly," Ron said with a laugh. "That lunatic Cornish Pixie alone is enough to rip a house down."

Molly laughed. "Maddie promised to keep her in the cage."

"That's a relief at least." Jon said.

"How are the wedding preparations going, Allison?" Molly asked. "Your sister must be on pins and needles."

"She's pretty calm actually," Allison replied. "Her dress robes are finished and it's basically just keeping her and Tosh from nitpicking at this point."

"They should just elope and have done with it," Ron said reaching for a bread roll.

"Ronald!" Luna said, hitting him on the arm. "Don't joke about that! Cho would be so hurt if her daughter got married without her family. I would too for that matter."

"I think my dad would probably kill her," Allison smiled. "He's been complaining to Mum about how much money it's costing. And Mum always points out that he has to do this two more times." they all laughed at that.

"Weddings are so much fun to plan," Molly said. "And it must be really nice for your mum to plan that with..."

Molly's voice trailed off as she thought of her own daughter's wedding. She hadn't even been there to see it. Molly began to sob.

"Mum what is it?" Ron asked.

Molly dabbed at her eyes. "I was just thinking about Ginny..."

"You shouldn't," Ron said, a bit harshly. "She doesn't care what happens to us."

"Deep down she does," Molly said, still unable to write her only daughter off completely.

Luna placed a comforting hand on her mother in law's arm. "You still have us Molly," she said softly.

Molly gave Luna a hug. "I know, dear. I just missed so much with my little girl. I didn't get to see her wedding. I didn't even meet my grandson until years later. And I keep hearing those awful things Ginny said to me in that shop in my head..."

"She's a Malfoy now," Ron said coolly. "She thinks like they do."

The front door opened and Josh, Lizzy, Nick and Julie came inside carrying shopping bags. Nick saw his grandmother crying and went to her side.

"Nana?" he asked worry etched across his features. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing dear," Molly said, giving her grandson a bone crushing hug. "It's so lovely to see you."

"It's good to see you too," Nick said hugging her back. "Are you sure you're okay?"

"Oh yes," Molly nodded. "Here, let me get you a sandwich, or some biscuits..." she grabbed for her basket.

"Nana..." Nick said stopping her. "Is this about my parents? You didn't see them again, did you?"

"Not since the day in the shop Nicholas," Molly said. "Don't you worry, I'm just fine." she forced a smile at him.

Nick decided not to push his grandmother since she obviously didn't want to talk about it. He couldn't stop the anger that boiled up inside him when he thought about what his mother had done to his grandmother.

"Well we got loads of good things at the shops," Julie changed the subject. "Now you can eat to your heart's content Uncle Ron."

"That's my goddaughter!" Ron said getting to his feet and following her into the kitchen.

"But don't eat everything dad," Josh said. "Remember, your two sons are still jobless and therefore a bit broke..."

"And will hit you up for money if you eat us out of house and home," Jon finished.

"You two have always been a hole in my pocket," Ron retorted but he was grinning.

"I think I'll just go with and keep an eye on you," Josh said. "Make sure you don't get out of hand."

"You act like you don't even trust your own father," Ron whined, making them all laugh.

"Not as far as I could throw him," Josh deadpanned.

"Maybe we shouldn’t have paid up for this place," Ron said, cuffing his eldest son on the head. "Luna is it too late to get our money back?"

"Okay, okay," Josh said quickly trying to squirm away from his father. "Mi casa es su casa."

"What?" Ron asked. "What does that mean?"

"It's Spanish for 'my house is your house', Mr. Weasley," Lizzy explained.

"Oh," Ron said sheepishly.

"We really do appreciate you giving us this place Dad," Josh said. "We do."

"I know you do," Ron said. "I'm glad your mum and I are in a position where we can do this for you both."

"And I'm sorry for always giving you a hard time, Dad," Jon said. "This was the best gift you could have given us really."

"Does this mean I can raid your kitchen whenever I come over?" Ron asked hopefully.

"You've got yourself a deal," Josh said with a grin.

*** *** ***

Marisol was never so happy to have a day off in her life. Things around the Malfoy house had been tense as of late, and it was even worse for her now when she was around Lucius Malfoy.

Ever since the first night he'd tried to make a pass at her, he'd constantly voiced lewd remarks in her direction and had even taken to touching her. That morning as a matter of fact, he'd brushed up against her chest while right in front of her mistress, who had ignored the whole episode as if it hadn't happened. She made her way into the small coffee shop she liked to frequent and sat down in a booth.

Natalie watched from behind the counter as Marisol sat down. She'd followed the Malfoy's maid and studied where the young woman shopped and where she went when she wanted to get away from the Malfoys. It had been Harry who decided Natalie should work undercover as a waitress in order to befriend the young woman and try and get information out of her.

Natalie smiled warmly at Marisol as she came over to the booth. She set a mug of hot chocolate in front of her. "The usual, right?"

"Oh thank you Selma," Marisol said gratefully to the pretty waitress. "You always know exactly what I'm in the mood for. Hot chocolate is perfect today."

Natalie smiled sympathetically at her. "Tough day?"

"Something like that," Marisol shrugged.

"If you ever want to talk about it, I'm here," Natalie said, not wanting to push the young woman too early. "I'm a good listener. It's how I get great tips..."

Marisol smiled. "That and you seem to be able to read people's minds."

Natalie sat down. "It's not that hard in your case, Marisol. You look really sad. Are you still homesick?"

"That's part of the reason," Marisol replied, looking down at the table top. "That other part..."

"Yes?" Natalie asked gently.

"The people I work for, my master, his parents are living with us for the time being... and lately he... he's been..." Marisol's voice began to quiver.

"He's been what, Marisol?" Natalie asked with concern etched across her face.

"He's been... making passes at me," Marisol said quietly.

"Oh, Marisol!" Natalie said, keeping her voice low.

"Today my mistress just sat there while he was brushing up against me and touching me," Marisol said with tears in her eyes. "And it's so ridiculous, but all I could think of was how I wanted to be home with my mother..." she began to cry.

Natalie reached across the table and put a comforting hand on the girl's arm. She genuinely felt sorry for this girl having to deal with this day in and day out.

"You shouldn't have to go through something like this, Marisol. It's not right."

"Yes but I don't know what to do," Marisol took a napkin and wiped her eyes.

"Has he threatened you?" Natalie asked. "If you didn't...you know...."

"He told me that my employers wouldn't care, and he was right," Marisol said miserably.

Natalie bit her bottom lip as she thought about what she should do or say next. Perhaps it was too soon to tell Marisol who she really was and what she was really trying to do, but Natalie honestly didn't know how she could let this poor girl spend one more day in that house with those horrible people.

"What if I could help you?" she finally asked.

Marisol shrugged. "At this point I'd do about anything to get out of that house."

"I'm...I'm not who you think I am," Natalie said quietly.

Marisol looked up. "What do you mean?" she asked, her tone slightly fearful.

"My name isn't Selma," Natalie finally said. "It's Natalie Worthington. And I'm not a waitress, Marisol. I'm an Auror. I can help you..."

"You've... been lying to me?" Marisol asked. "All this time I've been coming in here and talking to you and I barely know you?"

"No, you do know me," Natalie said quickly. "Marisol, we may have met under false pretences, but I consider you a friend. I care about what happens to you..."

Marisol looked back down at the table. "How can you help me?" she whispered. "You don't know my employers. They're horrible people."

"The people I'm working for can protect you, Marisol," Natalie said, relieved that Marisol hadn't run off when she'd told her the truth. "Perhaps we could even find you another job...closer to your home; to your mother."

"That's the only reason I came in the first place," Marisol said. "They're horrible people but the wages are good."

"Are you off work for the afternoon?" Natalie asked. "I'd like to take you back to headquarters so you can talk with my partner."

"I have the rest of today off," Marisol said. "But I don't know..." she was hesitant. "I can't get sacked. My mum needs the money that I've been sending home to her."

"You won't get sacked," Natalie reassured her. "I know you're scared, Marisol. But I want to help you."

"There's nothing anyone can do," Marisol pushed away the rest of her hot chocolate, which had grown rather cold by now.

"You've heard of Harry Potter, haven't you?" Natalie asked, deciding to use anything she could to convince the young woman.

"Of course I have," Marisol replied.

"He's my partner," Natalie said smiling at her. "Well, more like my boss really..."

"My employers hate him," Marisol interrupted. "They always talk about how he ruined their lives."

"He can help you, Marisol," Natalie said. "He'd make sure that you and your mother were safe. I promise you that."

Marisol's eyes filled with tears again. "Why are you doing this for me?" she asked. "No one's ever been nice to me without something in return."

"Because you're my friend," Natalie said honestly. "And I think it's about time you got a break, Marisol. You're a good person in a bad situation. It's time the Malfoys knew that they can't keep getting away with what they're doing."

Marisol stared at her for a long moment. "Okay," she finally whispered. "I'll go with you."

Natalie smiled. "You won't regret this, Marisol."

"I hope not," she said softly.

*** *** ***

Over the past few days, Severus Snape had been able to think of little else than Lucius Malfoy's proposition. He'd mulled over this decision and weighed all his options. There was no way around this. Lucius Malfoy wasn't going to forget about this and he would be coming sooner or later for an answer. And despite what Lucius had on him, Severus knew he couldn't participate in this plan. There was no way he could do that to his former student.

Draco was settled at his desk with a mountain of paperwork when a knock at his door sounded. "Yes?" he asked irritably, thinking it was most likely his father coming to ask him if he'd managed to find out anything more about the Potters that they could publish or if he'd managed to piss anyone off that day.

Snape opened the door and gave Draco a tight smile. "Hello, Draco."

"Professor Snape?" Draco asked incredulously.

"I'm sorry to intrude," he said closing the door behind him. "And I apologise for not making an appointment, but I had to see you."

"No it's fine," Draco was still staring at his former mentor- the only professor at that godforsaken school that he'd actually looked up to.

"How are you?" Snape asked sitting down.

"Busy," Draco replied. "I've managed to take on quite a few patients here, but it's nothing like the practise I had back in Sydney."

"Your father tells me he has big plans for you," Snape said quietly.

"He wanted to be Minister," Draco revealed, knowing he was telling this to someone safe. "But I told him if he wanted my help, it would be me in control."

"And you think Lucius will stand back and allow that to happen?" Snape asked in a low tone.

"He agreed to," Draco said. "Why... do you know something I don't?"

Snape looked around as if wanting some sort of confirmation that they were alone. He knew it was silly, but ever since that meeting with Lucius a few days back, he'd become quite paranoid. "You can't tell anyone what I'm about to tell you."

Draco's eyebrows knit together. "What?" he asked.

Snape leaned forward. "Your father came to see me the other day. He...he wanted to talk to me about his plans."

"No disrespect sir," Draco began. "But why is he involving you?"

"I asked myself that same question," Snape said getting to his feet, not really comfortable sitting anymore. "He approached me at the Hogwarts' graduation. He said he needed my help."

"With what?" Draco was confused. "I thought everything was going fine..."

Snape didn't know how to say this exactly. It wasn't every day that you told someone their father was plotting to kill them. "I could tell you this, but I think you'd need to see it for yourself, Draco."

"See it for myself?" Draco shook his head.

Snape nodded. "I've brought a Pensieve...."

Draco realised whatever his former professor had to tell him must be of the utmost importance. "Let me lock the door so no one comes in," he said, getting up from his desk.

Snape nodded. "I think that's a good idea."

Draco locked the door and watched as Snape placed the memory of whatever he had to tell him into the bowl. The two men bent over the swirling mass inside.

Draco saw his father pacing in a dark room at Hogwarts castle. There wasn't anything unusual about this. He watched as Pensieve Snape approached his father.

His jaw dropped repeatedly during the course of the discussion between the two men. "He... wants you to poison me?" he finally uttered.

"I could hardly believe it myself," Snape said quietly.

Draco sat back down at his desk, running his fingers through his hair. "I should have known," he said angrily. "I should have known he really didn't want anything to do with me. He just wanted a front man."

"I told him I needed time to think about it," Snape said. "I assure you I had no plans to help your father, Draco. I hope you know that."

Draco didn't respond for a few moments. "I realise that," he said quietly.

"What are you going to do?" Snape asked.

"I don't know," Draco said. "I really don't. I never really trusted him, and I may not even have believed it if you hadn't brought the Pensieve..."

"I'm sure this isn't easy for you," Snape said quietly. "What...what should I tell your father? He's going to want my answer soon."

"Tell him you'll do it," Draco said. "I plan on being long gone before he tries to do anything."

"He's gone completely mad," Snape said, nodding. "I don't know if it was all that time in Azkaban, but I really believe he's lost it, Draco."

"I should never have agreed to this in the first place." Draco raked his fingers through his hair again. "Ginny was right."

"You could be a great Minister for Magic," Snape said thoughtfully. "I always thought so. You were destined for greatness, Draco."

"I'm a pretty great Healer," Draco said wryly. "At least back home I am."

"You're a good healer here too," Snape said, seeing glimpses of the insecure boy from Hogwarts who wanted to be the best, but realizing in his father's eyes, he'd never quite measure up. That side of Draco's personality not too many people got to see.

"But Sydney's my home," Draco said. "It's where Ginny and I were happiest."

"So you'll be going back?" Snape asked.

"As soon as I figure out how to get away from Lucius," Draco no longer wanted to call him father. "If we just go back to Sydney he'll just find us again."

"I'll do whatever I can to help," Snape said.

"Your telling me this was the only bit of help I really needed." Draco said. "It's up to me and my wife now to figure out a way out of this."

Snape nodded. He had a feeling though that Draco and his wife wouldn't be able to do this alone. But he wasn't about to express his doubts now. It wasn't the time. "I'll let you know if Lucius contacts me..."

"Thank you," Draco said, for once in his life meaning the words.

"Good luck," Snape said, extending his hand to his former student.

Draco nodded, shaking the other man's hand.

Without another word, Snape crept out of the office, leaving Draco alone to mull over all that he'd just seen and heard.

*** *** ***

Hermione read the latest edition of the Daily Prophet with a smile. "That press conference turned out to be a great idea," she said.

"That's wonderful," Greta replied.

"Aye," Hermione agreed. "It makes me feel better- like all this will come to pass like everything else has."

"It will," Greta reassured her. "And you'll be stronger because of it."

"People say that every time," Hermione folded the paper. "But I suppose they're all right."

Ethan walked into the kitchen and without a word to his nanny or mother sank down in a chair with his arms folded.

"What's on your mind, little man?" Greta asked.

"I'm bored," Ethan said sulkily. "Saffy's not that much fun to play with, Mum. She just sleeps all the time."

"Well she's a baby Ethan," Hermione said with a smile, smoothing back her son's wild hair.

"Well, she needs to hurry up and grow up so we can play," Ethan said grumpily. "And where's Dad? He was supposed to be home hours ago!"

"She'll be big enough to play with before you know it," Hermione assured him. "And your father will be home soon. He owled me earlier to say he had something to take care of before he could get back here tonight."

Ethan nodded. School had finally let out for the summer holidays, but unlike last summer, he and his family weren't going on vacation. Their annual trip to Brighton had even been called off because Hermione had too much to deal with at the Ministry to take another vacation. It wouldn't have been so bad if all of Ethan's school friends hadn't already departed for holiday.

"Do you think Josh and Jon will come over and help me with the moat?" Ethan asked.

"I'm sure if you ask them they'd be happy to come over," Hermione said. "Why don't you send them an owl?" she smiled. "I know Maddie would drop everything to come over and help. And I recall you saying you wanted her to play here as well."

"Oh yeah," Ethan said. "Well, only if Josh and Jon come."

"So you'd rather be bored if they can't come over right away?" Hermione teased.

"You could play with me," Ethan said with a shrug.

Hermione laughed. "You don't want your old mum to play with you. I'm the one who makes all the rules you hate, remember?"

"You're not that bad," Ethan said smiling at her.

"Gee thanks," Hermione grinned at Greta.

"We could even play that trivia game you gave me last Christmas," Ethan said. "Even though you beat me every time..."

"Sure," Hermione said. "I'd love to play a game with you."

"I'll go and get it," Ethan said getting to his feet.

"He misses you both so much during the day," Greta told her once Ethan had gone.

"I know," Hermione said softly. "I miss him too. And Saffy."

"Things will settle down and you'll be able to spend a bit more time at home again," Greta said.

"I can't tell you how grateful Harry and I are to have you," Hermione said. "You've been a godsend."

Greta smiled. "Thank you- it's been wonderful working with a family who actually cares about their children."

"I don't know how you stood it all those years," Hermione said shaking her head.

"It was all for Nick," Greta said. "I love that boy like I would if I was his mother."

"In all the ways that count, you are," Hermione told her. "He told me so himself."

Greta blushed with pride. "He's certainly risen above his parents- I'm sure your daughter has something to do with that."

"They're good for each other," Hermione said with a grin.

"He's certainly over the moon for her," Greta said. "I knew he was the moment he rang me at home last summer while you were all still at Hillsdale to tell me about her."

Hermione smiled. "Maybe someday you'll be a nanny for their children."

Greta laughed. "If I last that long," she joked.

"Okay," Ethan said coming back into the kitchen carrying the game. "Get ready, Mum. You're going down...."

"Is that what you think little man?" Hermione said as they began to set up the pieces.

"I'm feeling really lucky," Ethan said. He saw the curious look on his mother's face. "I swear I didn't peek at the answers!"

"Better not have," Hermione replied. "Or you'll be stuck doing the dinner dishes tonight."

"I didn't," Ethan said. He heard the familiar sound of his father Flooing home and he called out. "Come on, Dad! You can watch me take Mum out!"

"Hey little man," Harry said. He looked and felt completely exhausted. "I actually need to talk to your mum for a few minutes alone."

"How about you and I play a warm-up game?" Greta asked Ethan.

"Okay," Ethan said. "That way I'll be ready for Mum."

Hermione kissed the top of Ethan's head before following Harry upstairs to their bedroom.

"Please tell me you have good news," she said quietly. "I've had my share of bad for a lifetime."

"It's... sort of both," Harry said, blowing out his breath. "Natalie brought in the Malfoys' maid today. Apparently good old Lucius has been putting the moves on her."

"Why does that not surprise me?" Hermione asked, shaking her head. "That poor girl..."

"That's not all of it," Harry said slowly. "The girl- Marisol- she's told us what the Malfoy's have been plotting."

"What are they trying to do?" Hermione asked.

Harry looked straight at her. "They're plotting to take over your position in the Ministry," he said. "They've been planting the articles to discredit you, and setting us up to look bad in public. That's just the tip of the iceberg."

"There's more?" Hermione asked, still trying to grasp what he'd just told her.

"Too much more," Harry sighed. "We've decided, in light of this, to send Natalie in as Marisol to get some solid proof of everything. That way we can use it to... get rid of them."

"Harry," Hermione said. "That's dangerous. To send her in with those people...are you sure that's the only solution?"

“We'll have people standing close by," Harry replied. "Besides, she won't let on who she is."

Hermione didn't know what to say as she was still trying to process what he'd just told her.

"Why couldn't they have just left us alone?" Hermione asked angrily. "Look at everyone who has to pay for their revenge scheme? Our children, our friends. People we care about. You know, just when I think they can't sink any lower, they surpass it!"

"I know," Harry replied grimly. "This time though they've gone too far. As far as I'm concerned, they've threatened you, though indirectly, and I intend on going forward with pressing charges against them."

"I'm not so worried about Draco and Ginny as I am about Lucius," Hermione said. "I don't know what he's capable of and that scares me, Harry. If he tried to do anything to one of the children..."

"I know," Harry replied. "I've got a few more surveillance guys watching around here and around Julie's home- it helps that she's on holiday now."

Hermione nodded. "Is it ever going to end?"

"This time, yes," Harry said, his eyes glinting in anger.

Hermione walked over to him. "We'll do this, together."

"Damn right we will," Harry said. "She's going in tomorrow night. We have polyjuice brewed already and Marisol's going to slip out tomorrow afternoon and Natalie will take her place."

Hermione nodded and put her arms around him, resting her head on his chest. She felt his comforting arms wrap around her and she felt for the moment at peace.

13. Chapter Thirteen

A/N: Sorry for the late update guys- thanks to those of you that left notes for us- we both fell asleep early last night before we could put up the story… so we’re very sorry about that!

We’re still not gonna update on Sat nite- but the schedule will resume next Tues. Here’s to HBP being a great book and see you all on the flip side!!

Ginny laid in bed, thinking over the events of the past few weeks. For the first time since they'd come back to England, it looked as if Lucius's plan might actually work and that Draco would worm his way into the position of Minister as soon as Hermione was gone.

Right now he'd been assigned midnight rounds at the hospital and she hated that- she missed being able to spoon into his side as she fell asleep. And she hated her husband's absence because Lucius seemed to take this as his personal invitation to leer at her at will. He would sit close to her in the parlour and touch her leg or brush up against her when they met in the corridors. She hadn't said anything to Draco yet, but she was finding it hard to keep quiet about this.

She’d thought perhaps he’d figured out that nothing could tempt her away from Draco when she saw him trying to put some moves on Marisol at breakfast one morning, but that evening at dinner, he’d basically ignored the timid maid and instead had focused on her again.

Lucius made sure that Narcissa was asleep before he snuck out of their bedroom and down the hall. Over the past few weeks, he'd not been able to keep his mind off of his daughter-in-law. She had a certain spark that his wife didn't possess. And seeing as Draco was out of the house, now seemed like the perfect time to make his move.

Ginny had finally managed to drift off into a light sleep when her door slowly creaked open. "Draco?" she murmured, half in dreams. "Is that you?"

Lucius didn't say anything as he walked over to the bed. He hoped that she wouldn't turn on the lights just yet.

"Draco," Ginny could barely make out his blond hair- it was a drizzly night and there was no moon. "Why are you home already?"

"Couldn't stay away," Lucius whispered, pulling back the covers.

"You don't sound like yourself," Ginny pushed her hair out of her eyes.

Lucius slipped into bed and tried his best not to ravish her at once.

"Why are you being so quiet?" Ginny demanded irritably.

Lucius reached out for her arm. Keeping his voice barely above a whisper he said, "You have such soft skin."

"I know that," Ginny said, leaning into his touch. "I've missed you this week," she said softly.

"I'll bet you have," Lucius said nuzzling her neck. "You little minx..."

"You know I hate when you call me that," Ginny complained.

Lucius wasn't in the mood for talking and without a moment's hesitation bruisingly kissed her on the lips.

"Ow," Ginny tried to pull away from him. "Draco that hurts--" she put her hand up in his hair and instead of finding his short hair, she found long, silken strands running through her fingers instead. She gasped. "Lucius!"

Lucius smiled, glad that he didn't have to keep up the charade. He moved in to kiss her again.

"Get AWAY from me!" Ginny said shrilly.

Lucius laughed. "You are a firecracker, Ginevra. Just the way I like them. Reminds me of someone I used to know...I'd like to know you that way, too. "

"I'm your daughter in law!" Ginny pushed him away as hard as she could. "You're disgusting!"

This only seemed to excite Lucius more. He began to undo the buttons on his shirt as he fixed his gaze hungrily on her. "I won't tell, if you don't."

"I don't CHEAT on my husband!" Ginny shouted angrily. "Now GET OUT!"

"That's not what I heard," Lucius said grinning maniacally at her. "Still fancy Potter after all these years?"

"No," Ginny snapped. "I've always been faithful to Draco."

Lucius reached out and toyed with the strap of her negligee. "There's a first time for everything."

"Not with you," Ginny said, afraid of the look in his eyes.

He pulled her roughly to him and he kissed her again, trying to force his tongue into her mouth.

Ginny screamed and tried to bite down on his lower lips but he pushed her onto the pillows and started squeezing various parts of her body. "Leave me alone," she begged.

Lucius laughed. "Don't bother screaming. I put a silencing charm on the room before I came inside..."

Tears sprang to her eyes as she realised just how precarious a situation she was in. "What would your wife think of this?" she asked, trying to reason with him.

"She's never going to know," Lucius said looking down at Ginny. "I carried on with her very own sister and Narcissa never knew."

"You're disgusting," Ginny still tried to resist him as he ripped the strap of her lingerie.

Lucius sat up for a moment so he could unzip his trousers.

Ginny took the opportunity to try and scramble away but Lucius caught her loose hair in his hands. "Ow!" Ginny screamed, her tears flowing down her face as he jerked her back onto the bed. "NO!"

"Quit fighting it, Ginevra," Lucius said angrily. "You want me."

"No I don't!" Ginny managed to kick out and narrowly miss his face. "I hate you!"

Lucius pushed her back down. "Come on, Ginevra. Be a good girl."

"No!" Ginny slapped him, her wedding ring leaving a scratch across his cheek.

Lucius drew back and glared at her. "YOU BITCH!"

Ginny cowered as Lucius grabbed her throat and began to squeeze. Her eyes watered as the oxygen stopped flowing and she began to reach out for anything, anything she could find to get herself away from him.

She turned her head and saw a glass paperweight on the bedside table. If she could only find some way to get her hands on it, she might be able to get away from him.

"Be a good girl Ginevra," Lucius whispered before kissing her again.

Ginny gagged as she brought her knee up hard between his legs.

Lucius recoiled in pain and cursed at her.

Ginny didn't waste a moment in grabbing the paperweight and bringing it in contact with the side of Lucius's head.

The blow to his head knocked him out cold and Ginny just sat there looking at her father-in-law, her hands shaking.

Sobs rose from deep inside her but she scrambled for her wand and the robes she'd worn earlier that day. She grabbed the door and ran out into the hall and left the house, not really knowing where she was going but heading straight for the hospital and Draco.

Draco yawned as he made some notes on the patient's chart. He sure as hell hoped that these midnight rounds wouldn't be a regular occurrence. This was something first-year healers did. Healers of his stature and status shouldn't be subjected to this. He had a feeling Parkinson-Goyle was behind this.

Ginny rode the lift up to Draco's office, sniffling and trying to hold back her tears. The thought of what had almost happened made her shake and her knees buckled.

Draco had just closed his eyes for a quick kip when the door to his office flew open.

"Hey Red," Draco said smiling at her. "How did you know I needed to see you?"

"I uh..." Ginny's voice trembled as she closed the door behind her.

"Red?" Draco asked, seeing how shaken she looked. There were scratch marks on her cheek. He stood up and strode over to where she had collapsed against the door. "Red? What's wrong?"

"Draco," Ginny began to sob as he held her closely. "It was horrible!"

"It's okay love," Draco said soothingly. "What happened? Who got you in such a state?"

Ginny tried to stop crying as he ran his hands through her tangled hair. "I um...” she began shakily. "I was sleeping and... and I thought you were in the room but it wasn't you--" she was aware she was rambling and not making much sense but she couldn't stop.

In all the years they'd been together, he'd never seen her like this. "Did someone attack you, Red?"

Ginny managed to nod. "It was your father Draco," she sobbed. "He... he came in and he kissed me and I thought it was you..." she began to heave.

Draco froze. "What?"

"You believe me right?" Ginny pleaded.

Draco looked at her. "You...you're telling me that my father tried to...that he was going to ..."

Ginny nodded as she wiped away her tears. "He... he told me that he was going behind your mother's back with her sister. And he said no one ever had to know." she sniffled loudly. "And then I hit him with that paperweight and I came here."

Draco tried to wrap his brain around all of this. He'd caught his father looking at Ginny a couple of times, but he'd dismissed it completely. He'd thought his parents detested Ginny.

"I believe you, Red," Draco said hugging her to him. "I'm so sorry you had to go through that."

A fresh onslaught of sobs attacked her as she fell limply against her husband. "It was so horrible," she bawled.

"I'm going to kill him," Draco said, a far away look in his eyes. "That bloody bastard laying his hands on my wife..."

His voice trailed off as he tried to close out the image of his father manhandling Ginny.

Ginny didn't say anything, just buried her face in his shoulder.

"He's never going to lay another hand on you, Red," Draco said protectively. "I'm going to kill him."

"I'm afraid of him," Ginny whispered. "I'm afraid of what he'll do to us now."

Draco pulled away so he could look at her. "Red, you're never going to be alone with him again. I promise you that."

Ginny nodded, looking into his eyes. "I needed you so much," she whimpered.

"I know," Draco said softly. He couldn't help feeling that he was somehow responsible for all of this. They should have just stayed in Sydney. None of this would have happened. "I'm right here love. You're safe with me."

"I don't want to go back there," Ginny said as he hugged her again.

"You'll stay here with me tonight," Draco said taking her hand and leading her over to the sofa.

"Okay," Ginny managed a tremulous smile at her husband.

"You are the most precious thing in the world to me," he said touching her cheek. "I'd die before I let anything happen to you, Ginny. You know that, right?"

"I know," she said, her lips trembling.

Ginny rested her head on his chest and he held her as she cried. He was already formulating a plan of revenge. If he'd thought his father had crossed a line when he'd seen Snape's memory in the Pensieve, he certainly surpassed it with his behaviour tonight with Ginny. There was no way Draco would just let this pass.

"Gin," he said softly. "I need to tell you something..."

Ginny lifted her head and looked up at him. He couldn't remember ever seeing her look more vulnerable than she did at that moment.

"What?" she asked, her voice breaking a bit. "What is it?"

"The other day..." he began, stroking her red hair, partly to keep her calm and partly to soothe his own frayed nerves. "Snape came to see me."

"Why?" Ginny asked softly.

Draco sighed. "Apparently... Lucius went to see him on the last day of school and demanded a favour of him."

Ginny shuddered as he spoke Lucius's name. "What kind of favour?"

"After I'm made Minister," Draco said. "Snape was supposed to give Lucius a potion to slip into my drink that will kill me. This is after I name Lucius as my successor, which I'd have never done to begin with."

Ginny's eyes grew large. "K-kill you? You can't be serious..."

"Snape had a Pensieve," Draco said, getting up from the sofa and pacing his office. "I saw it with my own eyes Red."

"He's a monster," Ginny said shaking her head.

Draco only nodded. "I thought about taking you and just leaving," he said. "But that wouldn't accomplish anything. He knows where we live in Sydney, and if he found us once he'd do it again."

"I don't think I can continue to live with them," Ginny said. "Not after tonight, Draco. I can't..."

"I know," Draco returned to the sofa and pulled her close. "I've been thinking on this since Snape told me... and I keep coming back to one idea."

"What's that?" Ginny asked.

"I hate the very thought of this," Draco muttered. "But if we went to Potter and his wife--"

Ginny pulled away from him. She wanted to laugh at the absurdity of what he'd just said, but the look on his face told her he was dead serious.

"No," she said vehemently shaking her head. "Out of the question..."

"Who else could we go to Ginny?" Draco asked a slight edge on his words. "We have no friends here; certainly have no one who could help us."

"Yes, but..." Ginny protested.

"Do you have any better ideas?" Draco asked pointedly.

Ginny looked thoughtfully at him. "Well, no, but...it's them, Draco? For argument's sake, let's say we go to them and ask them for help. They'd never agree to it. They hate us as much as we hate them."

"Aye, but what if we own up to everything," Draco said. "And we tell them that we'll help them trap Lucius- we can tell them his whole plan."

"You really think this is the only way?" she asked.

"It's all I've been able to come up with," Draco sat down again behind his desk.

Ginny stayed on the sofa for a few moments, desperately trying to come up with some other plan. But, Draco was right. There was no one here that could help them other than the Potters.

"I'll do whatever you think is best," she finally said.

Draco shook his head. "This would never have happened if I'd listened to you in the first place." he said darkly.

Ginny walked over behind his chair and put her arms around his neck. "You would have been a great Minister, Draco."

"I know," he said. "You'd have made a great minister's wife."

"But you know what?" she asked. "We have a great life in Sydney. We made it there without your father's help. And we can have that again."

"Aye," Draco agreed. "We did have a good life- together, just you and me."

"And once we get rid of Lucius and your mother," Ginny told him. "We'll have it again."

"Right," Draco said. "I hope we can get him locked away forever."

"When did you want to go and see Harry and Hermione?" Ginny asked.

"As soon as possible," Draco said with another heavy sigh. "This is without a doubt going to be one of the worst moments of my life."

"And one of their best," Ginny said just picturing Harry and his slag of a wife making them eat crow.

"Well after I tell them Lucius's plan they'll want to get rid of him as badly as we do," Draco said with more confidence in his voice.

Ginny nodded. "And who knows, they'll be indebted to us for helping them. That could be nice..."

Draco snorted. "That'll be the day."

"I'm willing to do whatever it takes to get rid of Lucius," Ginny said quietly. "Even if it means going to them."

Draco nodded. "For now why don't you get some sleep," he suggested. "I still have some rounds to do."

"Okay," Ginny said. "Will you make sure the door is locked?"

"I will," Draco said. "And we both have our wands... you can use this-" he indicated a gem on his desk. "To page me should... anyone come in."

Ginny let him kiss her softly. "You'll come back once you're finished right?"

"I'm certainly not going back to that house," Draco said, stroking her hair back and getting her a blanket from the small closet.

She lay down on the sofa and he draped the blanket over her. "I love you, you know."

"I love you," Draco said, still running his fingers through her hair.

Ginny closed her eyes, feeling safe and secure here in her husband's office.

Draco made sure the door was locked behind them before starting his way around the corridors. He wished he didn't have to do what he said he was going to do later that morning. He just couldn't figure out any other options out of this mess.

*** *** ***

Cho crept down the stairs- Neville had kept her awake wanting to be sure that Allison got in at a reasonable hour and after hearing her middle daughter come in and go into her room, she'd decided to go downstairs for a glass of water.

A light in the sitting room made her pause and she smiled as she looked in on Chiaki, fast asleep on the sofa with an open bridal magazine spread over her chest.

Cho picked up the magazine and set it down on the coffee table.

"Chi?" she said gently. "Wake up, sweetheart."

"Mmm," Chiaki turned on her side, not waking up.

"Come on sleeping beauty," Cho said touching her daughter on the shoulder. "You'll have a crick in your neck from sleeping on the sofa."

"I'm so tired," Chiaki murmured, finally cracking her eyes open.

"I should say so," Cho said sitting down on the edge of the sofa. "You've been going at full speed for how many days now?"

"I don't know," Chiaki rubbed her eyes. "What time is it?"

"Just gone one," Cho said softly.

"Merlin," Chiaki sat up. "Mum... were you nervous before you married Dad?"

"Completely," Cho remembered. "I was so worried that something was going to go wrong. And I had this feeling that your great-grandmother was going to come in and stop the wedding or something terrible like that."

"But when you saw Dad waiting for you," Chiaki twisted a lock of her hair in her fingers. "Did the feeling go away?"

"It did," Cho remembered fondly. "I'd never had anyone look at me the way he did. And everything just seemed to fall into place."

"I guess I'm having some last minute nerves," Chiaki confessed. "Not doubts, just nerves."

"That's normal," Cho reassured her. "Every bride gets them. And I'm sure Toshio feels the same, Chi."

"You should have seen his face when he proposed," Chiaki said with a smile. "He was positively ashen."

"He was probably scared you'd say no," Cho said grinning back at her.

"Oh please," Chiaki said with a laugh. "He's the guy of my dreams."

"I'm really happy for you, Chiaki," Cho said. "My sweet baby girl has grown up into this lovely, smart young woman. Your father and I are so proud."

"Thanks Mum," Chiaki moved over to lay her head on her mother's shoulder. "Part of me can't wait for this wedding to be over with but the other part of me doesn't want all this to ever end."

"I know," Cho said. "But the real work begins after you say 'I do'."

"Yeah," Chiaki said. "It's just nice to know that we're partners already... we've been dancing together since we were fourteen."

"And we couldn't have asked for a better man for our daughter," Cho said.

"I wish Dad would say the same about Jon for Allie," Chiaki said softly.

Cho groaned. "You and me both. I could see his concern if this was a boy we hadn't met, but this is little Jonathan Weasley. I remember when that sweet little boy used to call him 'Uncle Neville'. Now, he's 'Mr. Longbottom'."

"Well Dad's turned it into this big formal thing," Chiaki replied. "And Jon loves Allie so much- it's so obvious."

Cho nodded. "And Allie feels the same way. You remember how she couldn't stop smiling when she came back from Ireland? She had the time of her life when she was there. He makes her happy and that is good enough for me. I wish it was good enough for your father."

"He'll have to face up to her not being a kid anymore sooner or later," Chiaki said. "Or he'll drive her away."

"I hope it doesn't come to that," Cho said frowning.

"I hope not either," Chiaki stood up and stretched her slender frame. "I should probably get to bed."

"We both should," Cho said standing up as well. "And you should really have a lie in tomorrow, Chi. You need your rest."

"I thought you wanted me to come in to your morning class and help out," Chiaki asked her mother.

"I'll be okay," Cho said. "This is an order, Chiaki. Get some sleep."

"Boss's orders?" Chiaki teased.

"Boss?" Cho considered this. "I like the sound of that."

"Don't let Dad hear you," Chiaki giggled.

"He won't hear a thing," Cho said as she and Chiaki went upstairs. "You know how he is when he's sleeping...dead to the world."

"Don't I know it," Chiaki said. "How do you think I got all those late nights with Tosh?"

Cho stared sideways at her daughter. "What late nights with Tosh?"

"Mum he's going to be my husband in about a month," Chiaki said. "Don't get all protective on me now." she grinned.

"Fair enough," Cho said with a laugh. "Fair enough."

"Well if I wake up in time I'll come help you at the studio," Chiaki offered. "If not, I'll come by later in the week."

"Sleep," Cho said giving her a hug. "I mean it, Chiaki."

"Okay," Chiaki hugged her back. "Night Mum. Love you."

"Love you," Cho said, smiling at her daughter before heading for her bedroom. "Sweet dreams."

"I'll probably dream of Tosh," Chiaki said with a yawn. "He's been on my mind so much."

"And I'll make sure Frankie doesn't wake you up," Cho promised. "I'll get her to help me tomorrow morning."

"Okay," Chiaki agreed with a laugh. "You'll have to let me know how she reacts to being dragged out of bed before noon on the first few weeks of her holiday."

"We'll just consider it payback for her little countdown," Cho said, shaking her head.

"Good point," Chiaki said. "Night Mum," she hugged her mother again.

"Good night, my sweet girl," Cho said before walking toward her own bedroom.

*** *** ***

"There's still time to change our minds," Ginny whispered to Draco as they stood just outside Hermione's office. "We could think of something else, Draco..."

"Like what?" Draco asked in a tired voice. "Ginny I like this even less than you do."

"I know," Ginny said quickly. "It's just...I can't believe we're going to them for help."

"Would you rather go to Lucius," Draco said harshly.

Ginny scowled at him. "No, of course not! Of for Merlin's sake, let's just get this over with..."

She pushed open the door and stopped when she saw a harried wizard poring over the largest books Ginny could ever remember seeing. He looked up impatiently at the two of them.

"Can I help you?" he asked. "If you don't have an appointment, you won't be able to see the minister."

"Tell her Draco Malfoy is here to see her," Draco commanded.

The wizard stared back at them as if he could care less. "Look, I'm sorry, but if you don't have an appointment, you will not be seeing the minister. She's a very busy woman."

"She'll see me," Draco said assertively, glaring down at the man.

"Fine," the man said rolling his eyes. "What did you say your name was again?"

"Draco Malfoy," he said through clenched teeth.

"Wait here," the man said standing up and walking over to what was obviously Hermione's office. Ginny glared at him as he disappeared behind the door.

"What a pompous git," she hissed to her husband. "He's nothing more than a glorified secretary and he's acting as if he has no idea who we are!"

"Who cares," Draco muttered.

Samuel approached Hermione with caution. She'd been hard at work from the moment she'd arrived.

"I know you said that you didn't want visitors," he began.

Hermione looked up from her paperwork. "What's going on, Sam?"

"There's a guy outside," Samuel said. "His name is Malfoy, and he said you'd definitely see him. I tried to send him away but--"

"Malfoy?" Hermione asked taken aback. "Which one?"

"Said his name was Draco," Samuel replied. "He's out there with a redhead woman."

Hermione leaned back in her chair. She couldn't imagine why they would want to see her. "Did he say what this was about?"

"No," Samuel said. "Shall I send them in?"

Hermione looked thoughtfully at him. She knew it would probably be a good idea to have Samuel send them away, but she was curious to see what they wanted. "You can send them in, but will you do me a favour? Could you send for Harry please? Tell him I need to see him straightaway."

"Certainly Minister," Samuel agreed. He left her office and saw the two people still sitting outside. "The Minister will be with you shortly," he said. "I'll need to collect both your wands before you go inside, and the Minister has requested that her husband be present before you go in."

Ginny rolled her eyes. "Of course she would. I'm surprised she's able to go to the loo without him."

Samuel glared at the woman. "Your wand," he said icily.

Ginny reached into her bag and handed it over to him. "There. Are you happy now?"

Samuel snatched it and threw it in a drawer then locked it. "You sit over there," he ordered.

"I'd appreciate it if you'd treat my wife with respect," Draco said handing over his own wand.

"Then she needs to treat the Minister with respect," Samuel snapped back.

"Why don't you get back to your transcriptions," Draco taunted him. "Or maybe you need to fetch the Minister some tea like a good little lapdog."

Samuel shot him a smug grin. "At least I have an honest job," he retorted. "And one in the ministry at that."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Draco snapped back.

Samuel was about to open his mouth when Hermione's voice came through the gem on his desk. "Send Harry in when he gets here Samuel please."

"Certainly Minister," Samuel replied.

"Certainly Minister," Ginny mocked under her breath.

Samuel cast her a glare before calling for Harry.

"She acts as if we're going to do something to her if her big, strong husband isn't here to protect her," Ginny said not bothering to keep her voice down. She didn't care if Hermione's peon heard her.

Draco snorted. "Tempting," he replied.

Harry breezed into the office and didn't see Ginny or Draco sitting on the sofa. "Hi, Sam. What's so urgent?"

Samuel pointed at the Malfoys who were sitting on the sofa. Harry narrowed his eyes and had his wand pointed at them in the blink of an eye.

"Ease up Potter," Draco scoffed. "You can put your wand away."

"Not bloody likely, with you two sneaks around," Harry said coldly. "What the hell do you two losers want?" Samuel smirked at them from behind Harry's back.

"We need to talk to you," Draco said trying not to lose his temper. For this to work, he would have to be somewhat civil to his greatest enemy. "To you and Granger."

"We have nothing to say to either one of you," Harry snapped.

"You just might after you hear what we have to say," Draco said getting to his feet. "Come on, Potter. Surely you can spare five minutes from your saving people thing to listen to what Red and I have to say."

Harry wanted to throw Malfoy and Ginny out on their asses but he was also curious as to what his archenemy could possibly want with him and his wife. "Fine. Five minutes Malfoy."

"I don't want him there," Draco said motioning to Samuel.

"Sam you don't mind waiting out here do you?" Harry asked.

"Of course not Mr. Potter," Samuel said courteously. "It's nice to hear someone with manners around here." he glared at the Malfoys.

Ginny followed her husband and Harry into Hermione's office and though she was loath to admit it, it was quite majestic. Draco was born to have a place like this, Ginny thought to herself.

"I'm glad you could get away," Hermione said walking over to greet her husband.

"It's no problem," Harry said, curving an arm around her waist. "Malfoy said he has something he'd like to talk to us about."

"That's what I hear," Hermione said looking expectantly at the Malfoys. "Well, we're waiting..."

"You don't have to look so smug about this," Ginny crossed her arms before Draco could say anything.

"Gin," Draco put his hand on her arm. "Stop it."

"We're not being smug," Hermione said folding her arms. "But you can't honestly have expected us to roll out the welcome wagon for the two of you---not after all the crap you've pulled in the past. As you can remember, Ginevra, it was only a few months ago when you were throwing yourself at my husband in a boathouse in some pathetic attempt to make your husband jealous."

Ginny sat down, her arms still crossed.

"Look," Draco began testily. "I'm here today because I need your help- both of you."

"You want something from us?" Hermione asked.

"As I'm sure you both know, my father was released from Azkaban," Draco replied. "He found me and Ginny in Sydney and proposed we come back here to ruin you," he looked at Hermione.

Harry and Hermione exchanged a look. They'd already figured this much out themselves. What neither of them could seem to understand was why Draco was here fessing up as it were to what was going on.

Draco saw that neither of them was going to comment so he went on. "Well..." he stumbled a bit on his words which surprised Harry- Draco Malfoy always knew what he was going to say. "Snape came to see me at work a few days ago. He told me that my father's ultimate plan was to make me Minister, then have me name him my successor, and then he would have me killed."

Hermione stared at him, wondering if this was just another part of the plan. She was still wary of Draco Malfoy and wasn't about to let her guard down now.

"That sounds like something your father would do," Harry said quietly.

Draco was slightly encouraged by this. "Look we don't know anyone here," he said. "And after last night, what he did to my wife..."

"What did he do...?" Hermione asked, but Ginny cut her off.

"He tried to force himself on me," Ginny said looking right at Hermione.

Hermione's eyes opened wide in unexpected sympathy as Draco tightened his arm around his wife.

"We stayed in my office last night," Draco continued. "We haven't been home..."

"What exactly do you expect us to do?" Harry asked him.

Draco pulled Ginny closer for support. This was the moment of truth, but he couldn't seem to form the words. "I---that is we---well we sort of need----"

"Need what?" Hermione asked sharply.

Draco muttered something unintelligible as Ginny looked away unable to look at Harry and Hermione.

"What was that?" Harry asked. "We didn't quite hear that..."

"We need your help!" Draco said loudly. "All right? You satisfied Potter? We don't have anyone else we can turn to here."

"I'm really sorry for what happened to you Ginny," Hermione said softly. "I really am. Something like that happened to me once..."

"When?" Ginny tried to act disdainful but wasn't able to.

"It was years ago when Gordon was holding me hostage," Hermione replied. "He tried to force himself on me. I'd never been that scared in my entire life."

"Oh," Ginny said softly.

"Bet he didn't share that tidbit of information with you when you visited him, did he?" Harry couldn't stop himself from asking Draco.

Draco said nothing to this. "So I know you don't owe us anything, but we're asking your help in trying to get Lucius out of the picture. I don't care what happens to him--"

Harry wasn't so sure what to make out of all of this. On one hand, he knew that this was something Lucius was capable of, but on the other there was something quite surreal about Draco and Ginny Malfoy coming to them for help. Something didn't quite add up and Harry wanted to make sure that this wasn't just another trick on their part.

"Do you mind if my wife and I discuss this in private?" Harry asked him. "If you'd just wait outside."

Draco looked like he wanted to argue for a moment but then nodded. "I suppose we owe you that," he agreed and pulled Ginny into the corridor.

Hermione was silent as she thought about all that Draco and Ginny had just told them.

"This is just..." Harry ran his hands through his hair. "I don't even..."

"Words fail me too," Hermione said softly.

"I never thought I'd see this day," Harry confessed. "Shite..."

"Part of me thinks they're telling the truth," Hermione said. "And then another part wonders if this is just some ruse on their parts to gain access to my office." She walked over to the window and looked down at the Ministry grounds. Something in Ginny's eyes and in her voice when she talked about what had happened with Lucius though made Hermione think that what they were telling them was the truth.

"That's why I'm glad I'm here," Harry replied. "In case they are trying something."

Hermione turned around and looked at her husband. "I think we should help them, Harry. I think for once we can help each other to defeat a common enemy."

Harry shook his head. "I'm not so sure," he replied. "Malfoy never does anything to help someone else."

"What do you think we should do then?" Hermione asked. "You've known them both longer than me. And you know Professor Snape."

"I wouldn't call it knowing," Harry scoffed. "He hates me and I hate him."

Hermione sighed. "I don't know what to do, Harry."

Harry joined his wife at the window. "I guess part of me does think they're telling the truth," he said quietly.

"They'd have to be pretty desperate if they came to us of all people," Hermione said leaning against him.

"I know, that's what gets me the most," Harry pressed his lips to her head.

"Lucius has to be stopped," Hermione said determinedly. "I've never met him, but from what you've told me, he certainly sounds like the sort to double cross his son like that."

"It wouldn't be the first time, I'm sure," Harry said. "And he probably targeted you because you're married to me."

"He wants revenge," Hermione said thinking aloud. "He'll obviously stop at nothing to get it."

"I guess we're sort of in the same predicament," Harry replied, his arms around her. "I guess this means we have to work with the Malfoys."

Hermione nodded. "I suppose that's exactly what it means."

"All right," Harry sighed. "Let's tell them..."

Hermione nodded and watched as Harry opened her office door to ask the Malfoys back inside.

"Took you long enough," Ginny muttered.

"Do you want our help?" Hermione may have felt sorry for the other woman but it didn't mean she would take any verbal abuse.

"Yes," Ginny said quietly. "I'm sorry. I just wish you'd realise how hard this is for us. It wasn't easy to come here."

"I'm sure it wasn't," Hermione softened her voice. "Look, the way Harry and I see it; we're in the same boat here with Lucius. But after this, you two go back to Sydney and leave us alone."

"We wouldn't have it any other way," Draco answered in a neutral tone.

"Right," Harry said.

"We should probably make up some ground rules," Hermione said switching to her efficient Minister mode. "Determine how we'll meet; how we'll communicate..."

Draco grunted his approval while Ginny simply nodded. "Whatever we have to do," he said in a defeated tone.

The two couples spent the next hour devising a plan on how to meet. Ginny and Draco still didn't know where they would be staying, but they both agreed they wouldn't be returning to the Malfoy estate.

"What are you going to tell your father?" Harry asked. "He's going to realise something is up if you aren't around."

"It would probably be best if you went back," Hermione said. "You could keep a better eye on him..."

"I'm not staying in the same house with that man," Ginny said stubbornly. "He nearly raped me, Hermione. How would you feel if someone suggested you stay with that Gordon? No one would expect you to, of course. And if you understood half of what I felt, you'd know why I can't go back there...."

"I won't leave you alone in there," Draco said to her. "We'll figure out an excuse for you to come with me to work."

"Did either of you know that Lucius has been hitting on your maid as well?" Harry asked, leaning on the desk.

"How---how did you...?" Ginny asked. "You know about Marisol?"

"My current partner Natalie has befriended her," Harry replied. "Marisol was quite upset yesterday after Lucius had his hands all over her, apparently right in front of you." he looked at Ginny.

Ginny looked away. "I-I thought if he had her, he wouldn't bother with me..."

"You can see how well that worked," Harry decided not to divulge that Marisol had told them about their plan to take over the Ministry.

"I know it was wrong," Ginny said still not meeting Harry's gaze. "But I just---"

"That's not the issue here," Hermione replied. "We need to figure out a way to put Lucius back into Azkaban."

"Right," Ginny agreed.

"We need to get him to slip up, I think." Hermione said.

"Good luck," Draco snorted. "My father doesn't slip up."

Harry shook his head. "Maybe we can confront him somehow. If we can get him to threaten you, we can slap him with that." he looked at his wife.

"He plans on making a big scene at St. Mungos Fundraising Ball," Draco said quietly.

"Really," this was news to both Harry and Hermione.

Draco nodded. "We were to announce my candidacy that night and he thought that we'd have something big to discredit you with by then. That's what we've been doing in the papers..."

"I thought as much," Harry said, his eyes dark.

"Yes well," Draco said dismissively. "What's done is done..."

Harry rolled his eyes but nodded. "Got to keep remembering that..." he muttered.

"You know we do have something in common, Potter," Draco said a few minutes later as they prepared to leave after having made tentative plans to meet tomorrow afternoon.

Harry raised an eyebrow sceptically. "What's that?" he asked a tinge of sarcasm in his voice.

"There isn't anything we wouldn't do for our wives," Draco answered before taking Ginny's arm and leading her out of the office.

Harry looked disgusted for a moment after they left. "I suppose he's right. For once in his bloody life."

*** *** ***

After Harry had left Hermione's office and went back to his own, he was still a bit astounded at the events of that day. Draco Malfoy, coming to HIM for help... he shook his head.

"Hey Natalie," Harry said, making the younger girl jump.

"Oh hi, Harry," Natalie said. "I didn't hear you come in. I've been going over the notes I made with Marisol."

"I actually wanted to talk to you about that..." Harry said, closing the door. "Well... the Malfoys showed up at Hermione's office today," he explained what had transpired. "Well... you're not going to have to pose as Marisol anymore."

"Don't be silly," Natalie said. "I know you're worried that I'm still wet behind the ears, but I can do this, Harry. Marisol and I have been working so hard on this..."

"Well the thing is, we have the evidence we need Natalie," Harry said regretfully.

Natalie stared at him. "But I've worked so hard..."

"I know," Harry said. "I'm sorry Natalie, I really am."

Natalie sank lower in her chair. "I was so prepared!"

Harry felt bad. "There will be plenty of times where you'll get to go in the field," he began.

Natalie crumpled up her notes and threw them in the rubbish bin. "This is so bloody unfair! All this work for nothing!"

"Natalie," Harry said. "Being an Auror is unfair over half the time."

"I know I'm being silly, but I was so amped about this, Harry. I saw this as my way of proving to everyone how good an Auror I can be."

"Everyone will know that anyways," Harry retrieved her notes from the rubbish bin. "Keep these. Always keep your notes to go back and reference them."

Natalie nodded and took her notes back. "Now would be the time for you to tell me about your great disappointment as an Auror."

"Which one?" Harry asked. "There's been many."

"How about something from your first year?" Natalie asked eagerly.

"Well there was the time that my first big case got away," Harry replied. "And then there was also the whole Gordon Devereaux situation where the prat sat in my own home for months on end and tried to kidnap my wife."

"So in other words I should get used to things like this happening," Natalie said quietly.

"Exactly," Harry said gently. "You can't do everything, and you can't prevent everything."

"I still want to help you anyway I can," Natalie said. "And I want to help Marisol too."

"Well here's what we've come up with," Harry filled her in on what they had talked about that day. "Maybe you'd like to be with us when this ambush happens."

"Just try and keep me away," Natalie said with renewed enthusiasm.

Harry grinned at her. "That's the spirit," he teased her.

"So you're really going to work with the Malfoys," Natalie said shaking her head. "This is huge!"

"Yeah," Harry's grin disappeared. "Never thought I'd see the day."

"I imagine you'll want to keep this hush-hush," Natalie guessed. "Don't worry, boss. I won't tell anyone."

"I always said you'd make a good Auror," Harry replied. "You might even outshine me one day."

"Not bloody likely," she said. "There's only one Harry Potter."

"As Hermione says, that's a good thing," Harry's smile returned.

"That reminds me," Natalie said. "Your daughter stopped by while you were out."

"She did?" Harry asked. "What did she want?"

"I think she's feeling a little lonely since her boyfriend is out of town," Natalie said. "Wanted to catch up with her 'Old Man'." When Natalie saw the look on Harry's face at those words, she laughed. "Julie's words not mine, Sir."

"Old," Harry muttered. "I am not old!"

"She told me you'd react that way," Natalie giggled.

"Oh she did," Harry shook his head. "I'm so unappreciated."

"I don't think so," Natalie said. "Your daughter seems to think very highly of you. She was practically singing your praises to me when she was here."

"Well then," Harry straightened with pride. "She goes back in the will."

Natalie laughed. "She said she'd be by for dinner this evening."

Harry smiled. "It'll be good to have the whole family home for a change."

"Just like old times, right?" Natalie asked.

"Right," Harry replied. "I miss having my Jules around the house. I'm still not used to her being gone."

"I'm sure she misses being home too," Natalie said. "I've been living on my own for a year now, but I still get homesick."

"You know, I never asked you where you lived before moving out here," Harry looked up from his paperwork.

"Yorkshire," Natalie replied. "Born and bred."

"That's a nice area," Harry replied.

"I don't get back as often as I should," Natalie said.

"When I was your age I wished I had a home to go back to," Harry said. "But when I wasn't at Hogwarts, I was at Hillsdale and then I met Hermione..."

"And now you have a home," Natalie said with a smile. "And a family of your own."

"Aye," Harry agreed. "Couldn't ask for a better one."

"If you'll excuse me, I'm going to go and let Marisol know the bad news," Natalie said pushing back from her chair.

"Tell her I think the Malfoys might be a bit nicer to her now," Harry called.

"I will," Natalie called out over her shoulder as she left their office.

14. Fluff Interlude

A/N: Here’s a gift from us to you Harmonians out there who have dug your eyes out with dull knives at the travesty that was HBP- it’ll be interesting to see how JKR digs us all out of the deep hole we’re currently in.

We know we said we weren’t posting till Tues, but we think everyone needs this little completely H/Hr interlude. So enjoy, and we’ll see you on regular update days!

Hermione leaned back against the pillows trying to read her textbook. She had a big test tomorrow, but she was finding it hard to concentrate. Her husband was due home any minute from training and she couldn't wait to see him.

She soon realized that she wouldn't be able to get anything done until after she told him her news. With a smile, she set her textbook aside and walked over to the vanity mirror. Lifting up her shirt, she patted her flat stomach.

It was hard to believe that there was a little girl or boy growing inside her at this very minute.

"You haven't gained any weight from all that lasagne we ate last night," Harry teased from the doorway. "You're gorgeous."

Hermione jumped, startled to see him there. "Hi. I-I didn't hear you come in."

"I just got in," Harry replied. "I missed you today," he reached her and hugged his wife. He still couldn't believe they were actually married.

"I missed you too," she said relaxing against him. "How was your day?"

"Gruelling as always," Harry kissed her. "But now that I'm home none of that matters."

Hermione smiled. In fact, she hadn't stopped smiling since the doctor had told her the good news.

"What are you grinning about?" Harry kissed the tip of her nose. "Oh- how was your doctor's appointment today?"

"Good," Hermione said. She'd been rehearsing in her mind all afternoon how she'd tell him. "He said I was happy and healthy."

"Good to hear," Harry replied, running his fingers through her hair.

"We've only got about seven months you know," she whispered. "Not much time to plan."

"Plan for what?" Harry didn't get it right away. "Seven months?"

Hermione smiled. "Well, according to the doctor I'm already two months along." She guided his hand to her stomach.

Harry's eyes widened. "Hermione! You-- you're..."

"We," she corrected. "We're going to have a baby. You're going to be a daddy."

Harry's jaw dropped. "We're having a baby."

Hermione nodded. "I know it's a lot sooner than we planned, but..."

"This isn't like the last time right?" Harry asked, still processing what she'd just told him.

"No," she said shaking her head. There was an unreadable expression on his face and she wondered if he was truly happy at this news. "I really am pregnant."

Harry pressed his hands gently to her stomach. "You have a baby in here," he whispered in awe. "Our baby..." his voice shook a little bit.

"You are happy about this aren't you?" she asked nervously.

Harry stared at her stomach a few more moments before snapping his eyes to hers. "Oh God Hermione," he pulled her into a bone crushing hug. "You're having our baby." he laughed. "I'm going to be a father."

"I know," Hermione said hugging him back just as tight. "I wanted to tell you as soon as I heard but I knew they'd not let me see you unless it was an emergency."

"I can't believe this!" Harry pulled back to kiss her repeatedly. "This is just... this is the best news I've ever heard!"

Hermione laughed. "I know. I feel the same way."

"What else did he say?" Harry asked. "Do we know yet if it's a boy or girl? What's the due date?"

"August 20th," Hermione replied. "And we don't know if it's a boy or girl yet. He gave me some prenatal vitamins to take and I'm scheduled to go back in for a check up in two weeks."

"I'll go with you this time," Harry vowed. "I want to be at every appointment with you." he whirled her around the room. "I can't believe we're going to be parents!" his exuberance made Hermione laugh.

"You're making me dizzy," she giggled.

"Sorry," Harry set her down. "Are you hungry or thirsty? Did I make you feel sick just now?"

"I'm fine," she reassured him. "I have everything I need right here."

Harry leaned in and kissed her again. "I do too," he said. "I love you so much Hermione."

"I love you too," she said resting her forehead on his. "And you are going to be a great father. You know that right?"

"I hope so," he said. "I didn't grow up with the greatest example."

"You will be," Hermione said. "Despite of everything you've been through you're still the bravest and strongest person I know. And our daughter or son is going to love you so much."

Harry smiled at his wife. "You always know what I need to hear," he stroked her cheek. "Our son or daughter will have the best of everything."

"Our son or daughter," Hermione repeated grinning at him. "Can you believe it? We're going to be someone's parents!"

"I know," Harry touched her still rather flat stomach again. "Our baby's in there Hermione."

"You never know," Hermione said with a laugh. "It could be babies. I might be carrying twins for all we know."

Harry grinned. "The more the merrier right?"

"Right," she said laughing. "I cannot wait to tell everyone. My parents, our friends..."

"We should go over and tell your parents right now," Harry said eagerly. "And Ron and Luna, Cho and Neville- Cho will be thrilled."

"Chiaki will have a best friend," Hermione said.

"Aye," Harry replied. He hugged her tightly again. "You know you make me happier each day we're together Hermione."

"You might not be saying that a couple of months down the road when I'm moody and irritable and..."

He cut off her words with a kiss and Hermione pulled dazedly away from him a few moments later.

"You always think you can shut me up by doing that, don't you?" she asked breathlessly.

"I do," Harry grinned in satisfaction. "And I can take any moodiness and irritableness you throw at me."

"I'm going to hold you to that," Hermione said smiling at him. "I don't want to hear any complaints about my behaviour then, okay?"

"I'll just go complain to Neville," Harry teased. "He's been through it already."

"It'll be nice to have friends who I've gone through this so we'll know what to expect," Hermione said thoughtfully. She could still remember back at Hillsdale how Neville had taken care of Cho and brought her ice cream.

"We can get pointers," Harry said, helping her on with her cloak as they went downstairs.

"Yes," she agreed. "And on my way home from the doctor, I stopped off at a bookstore and bought all these great books about pregnancy and..."

"Always the reader," Harry teased her, his eyes falling on the overstuffed bag propped against the wall. "Would those be said books?"

Hermione blushed. "Yes. I might have went a little overboard."

"You know I wouldn't have you any other way right?" Harry asked, unable to keep his hands and eyes away from her stomach. Part of him still couldn't believe that Hermione was carrying their child inside her.

"We should get going," Hermione said. "I do have an exam tomorrow."

"Right," Harry stole one more kiss from her as they left the cottage.

Hermione awoke and reached for her husband, but he wasn't there. A few hours ago, she'd left him downstairs while he went over some old files he'd brought home about the Malfoy family. She grabbed her robe and walked downstairs and was surprised to see her husband still sitting right where she'd left him a few hours ago. There was some sort of photo album in his lap and he looked lost in thought.

"Harry?" she called out from behind him.

He jumped. "Hey," he said, rubbing his eyes behind his glasses.

"What are you looking at?" she asked peering over his shoulder.

"Just some old pictures of while you were pregnant with Jules," Harry said as she came around and sat next to him on the sofa. "I got a little nostalgic," he smiled down at one shot in particular. "Remember when Cho and Lavender threw you that surprise shower?"

Hermione nodded and smiled. "I still can't believe Cho was able to keep that a secret from me."

"They must have threatened her with something big," Harry laughed. "Cho still can't keep a secret."

"Which is one of the many reasons we still love her," Hermione said snuggling close to Harry as he turned the page of the album. "Jules’ first birthday!"

"Look at her," Harry smiled as the photograph Hermione and Julie waved back at him. "My girl..."

"Do you remember how she was more interested in the cake than the presents?" Hermione asked. "Chiaki had to open all of them for her."

"Which she loved doing," Harry laughed. "Remember how she wanted to take some of the toys home and Neville wouldn't let her?"

Hermione chuckled. "I can still see the look on his face as he sat there while a three-year old tried to reason with him."

Harry roared with laughter. "Oi," he chuckled. "She's still got him wrapped around her little finger."

They looked through some more pages and Hermione stopped him when she saw a picture of her husband holding a three-year old Julie. Hermione was standing off to the side looking sad and listless.

"I remember that time," Harry said quietly.

After Julie's first birthday, they'd decided to try and conceive again. But things hadn't been that easy. There had been false alarm after false alarm. Hermione, who had never failed at anything in her life, became quiet and distant.

Harry, for his part, tried his best to cheer his wife up. But the difficulty of Hermione trying to conceive was weighing a heavy toll on their relationship and he could even tell it was affecting Julie.

"Daddy?" Julie asked walking over to her father who was sitting on the sofa. "Is Mummy up from her kip yet?"

"Not yet baby," Harry lifted his three year old up onto his lap.

"I miss Mummy," she said sadly resting her little head on her father's chest. "She's so sad all the time."

Harry kissed the top of her head. "I know baby. And you've been so good trying to make her happy again." he wished there was something more he could do to pull Hermione from her slump but she refused to go talk to anyone about her failure to conceive again.

Lavender came back into the sitting room carrying a bowl of popcorn. She'd come by to baby sit for Hermione while Harry was at work.

"She didn't come downstairs at all today," Lavender commented. "I'm really worried Harry."

"Me too," Harry replied quietly, motioning for Lavender not to say anything more in front of the precocious three year old on his lap. "I think I'll go upstairs and try to talk to her. Want to stay with your Aunt Lav sweetheart?" he tweaked Julie's nose.

Julie nodded and slid off her father's lap to sit beside Lavender.

Upstairs in their bedroom, Hermione was curled up in the duvet looking up at the ceiling. She heard Harry come in, but didn't acknowledge him.

"Hermione," Harry said quietly, perching on his side of the bed. "We really need to talk."

"I thought I really was this last time," Hermione said weakly not looking at him. "I had all the symptoms, Harry. I was late. I was sick. It's my fault..."

"No it's not," Harry pushed her hair out of her eyes. "Hermione, women have trouble getting pregnant all the time. They have false alarms all the time. It doesn't mean that they don't go on living though."

She knew he was right, but it didn't make her feel any better. A tear fell down her cheek. "I'm so sorry."

"Stop apologising," Harry ordered. "Look at me."

Hermione reluctantly sat up in bed and looked at her husband.

"I want you to stop wallowing," Harry kept his tone low as he moved closer to his wife. "Julie's down there upset that her mother is sad. She's been trying her damndest to cheer you up and it hurts her that you lie up here in bed all day long." he held up a hand when Hermione opened her mouth to speak. "I love you Hermione. You and Julie mean more to me than anything else in my life. And it kills me to see you like this. What do I have to do to snap you out of this? Name it and it's done."

Hermione started to sob uncontrollably as his words struck a chord. She'd not been blind to see what this was doing to her daughter and to her husband. But she didn't want to face them knowing that she had failed them in so many ways.

Harry pulled her into his arms as she broke down. He kissed the top of her head repeatedly as he murmured soothing words to try and calm her.

"I-I don't deserve you," she choked out. "I want to give you another child, but I c-can't."

"We're trying Hermione," Harry said stroking her hair. "That's all I can ask for."

She pulled back from him. "Julie. How is she, Harry?"

"She told me she misses you," Harry rested his forehead on hers while brushing tears away from her face. "Hermione this isn't healthy. You need to talk to someone. We need to talk to someone."

Hermione nodded. "I know. Merlin, I'm such a mess."

"We're in this together," Harry said. "You're not alone here."

For the first time in what seemed like forever Hermione smiled at her husband. "I could ask Anna to recommend someone for us to talk to I mean."

"There we go," Harry was encouraging. "There's a spark of my old Hermione. I knew she was in there somewhere."

There was a gentle knock on the door and Lavender peeked inside. She was holding Julie. "I'm sorry to interrupt. She wanted to see her Mummy. Is that okay?"

Hermione quickly wiped away her tears. "Of course. Come here, sweetheart."

Julie ran in and jumped on top of the bed. "I love you Mummy," she said giving Hermione a kiss on the cheek.

"I love you too," Hermione said hugging her daughter tightly. "So much, sweetheart."

"I want to make you happy again Mummy," Julie said, wrapping her little arms around her mother's neck.

"I know Julie," Hermione said fighting off the tears that wanted to fall. She felt so guilty for neglecting her little girl. "But you just being here and giving me a big hug like that makes me feel so much better. You know that right?"

Julie nodded wordlessly.

"Tell you what," Hermione said. "I'm going to take a nice bath and then afterwards, how about we have a nice dinner with Daddy? Does that sound good to you?"

"Can me and Daddy make dinner for you Mummy?" Julie asked.

Hermione looked at Harry who nodded. "Sure. Why don't you surprise me?"

"We will," Harry leaned over and gave her a kiss. "Give us about an hour aye?"

"Okay," Hermione said. She pulled affectionately at one of Julie's ponytails." You be a good girl for Daddy okay?"

"I will," Julie promised. She smiled at her mother and was relieved to see Hermione smile back at her.

Lavender took Julie's hand as she and Harry led her downstairs. "You did good Potter," Lavender said quietly.

"Thanks," Harry said under his breath. "She's going to ask Anna about finding someone for us to talk to about all this. I hope it helps get her back on her feet."

"It will," Lavender said resolutely. "Hermione's a fighter."

"Aye," Harry said as they began digging through the cupboards for something to make for dinner. "I'd do anything to make her feel better."

"Okay Miss Julie," Lavender said plopping the little girl on the counter. "What do you want to fix for your Mummy?"

"Mac and cheese," Julie said bouncing up and down.

Harry laughed. "Nothing fancier baby?"

"Pasketti?" Julie said after thinking it over for a few moments.

"Pasketti sounds good to me," Harry reached under the counter for a large pot. "Lav, want to join us?"

Lavender shook her head. "I think you three need this time alone together. But I will help you prepare."

"You just want to leave all the dirty dishes for me to clean later," Harry joked.

"Honestly don't you know any cleaning spells?" Lavender asked rolling her eyes. "Blokes always have to make things more difficult. You're as bad as Seamus."

Harry laughed as he dumped a boxful of spaghetti in the pot. "I'm just teasing you."

"Daddy's being silly, isn't he Jules?" Lavender asked the little girl.

"Daddy's funny," Julie nodded with a smile for her aunt. "Like Uncle Neville!"

"Uncle Neville has nothing on your father," Lavender said. "Your daddy is goofy, not funny. Big difference."

"Hey," Harry said with a playful snarl. "I am not goofy. Is your daddy funny Jules?" he asked sweeping her up into his arms and nuzzling her neck.

Julie giggled. "Yes Daddy."

"That's my baby," Harry dipped her down so that her ponytails touched the floor then brought her back up. "She likes to dance with me."

"Just like Mummy!" Julie said happily.

"That's right," Harry kissed her little cheek. "How about we make some garlic bread?"

"That's Mummy's favourite," Julie said.

"Right," Harry carried his daughter over to the icebox as he got the ingredients out. "I'll put you on the counter and you mix this together," he put the butter and garlic salt in a bowl. "And Daddy will cut up the bread."

With Lavender's help, the three of them were able to prepare the meal and set the table. Lavender kissed Harry on the cheek and gave Julie a big hug before she Flooed back home.

A few minutes later, Hermione came downstairs. Her skin was still pale, but she looked better than she had in weeks.

"Something smells delicious down here," she said, leaning against the doorframe.

"Daddy and I made pasketti Mummy!" Julie ran towards Hermione who scooped her up. "And we made you garlic bread!"

"That's the sweetest thing anyone has ever done for me," Hermione said kissing her forehead. "Where's your Aunt Lav?"

"She went home," Harry answered, wiping his hands on a dish towel. "Wanted us three to have some time alone."

Hermione set Julie in her booster seat and then sat down across from Harry. "She's been so good to me these past few weeks. I have to do something to thank her."

"She just wants to see you happy again Hermione," Harry said as he put some spaghetti on Julie's plate.

"Me too," Hermione said softly. "Me too."

She realized that because of what had been going on with her, she hadn't even asked about Luna, who was due to give birth to her twins any day now. Before it had seemed too painful to mention, but Hermione genuinely wanted to know how her friend was.

"Have you heard from Ron and Luna?" she asked quietly.

Harry nodded. "Everything's going fine," he said. "She's due any day and can't wait to give birth."

"I should stop by and see her," Hermione said. "I haven't been a very good friend to her lately."

"I'm sure she'd be glad to have you stop by," Harry answered.

"Can I go too?" Julie asked.

"Of course you can love," Hermione replied. "I'd be glad to have my baby girl come along."

Julie smiled and tucked into her spaghetti.

"Thank you," Hermione said looking across the table at her husband.

"I'd do anything for you," Harry said softly. "Anything Hermione."

Hermione started to cry again and Julie looked up from her food. "Don't cry again Mummy!"

"I'm not crying because I'm sad baby," Hermione reassured her. "Sweetheart, I'm crying because I'm so happy that I have you and your father."

"How come you cry when you're happy?" Julie asked in confusion.

"It's hard to explain," Hermione said. "But sometimes you feel so happy that you cry because you can't believe you're that happy. You'll understand some day, Jules. I promise."

"Okay," Julie only looked slightly convinced but she went back to her meal.

"Going to that counsellor really helped us," Hermione said, tracing over another more happy picture of herself. "And you were absolutely magnificent for me during that time Harry."

"You needed me," he said putting his hand on hers. "We got each other through that."

"Aye," Hermione gave him a kiss. "And it took another ten years before we got blessed again."

"And we sure had fun trying," Hermione said able to joke about it now.

"I always have fun trying," Harry said with a grin.

Hermione was waiting in the press conference room for the current Minister for Magic to arrive. She would be announcing him and had gotten there early to make sure everything was organised properly.

Part of her wished she could have skipped it- she was tired and hadn't felt quite herself all morning long but she knew she'd have to do this someday if she succeeded Minister Draven and wanted as much field experience as possible.

"You look a little pale Hermione," Minister Draven looking at her with concern. "Are you feeling okay?"

"Oh!" Hermione stood up quickly. "I'll be fine sir. I didn't hear you arrive."

"You looked a little lost in thought," the Minister said picking up his note cards from the desk. "You've gone over this speech, have you?"

"Oh yes," Hermione nodded. "I made a few corrections as well."

Minister Draven smiled and stood off to the side so he could go over the speech one last time.

Hermione sat down again and used a Cooling Charm on herself as she'd taken to sweating in the past few seconds. "What on earth is wrong with me?" she muttered. She wanted to chalk it up to the fact that her daughter was gone to school and she and Harry were once again experiencing a bit of empty nest syndrome but something inside her made her know it wasn't just that.

"We're ready to begin," one of her colleagues said interrupting her thoughts.

"Right," Hermione said weakly, rising from her seat.

The lights from the cameras nearly blinded her as she slowly made her way to the podium. She took a deep breath and tried to concentrate on her own note cards, but everything seemed blurry and out of focus.

"Hermione?" her colleague whispered. "Are you okay?"

Hermione nodded and tried to force her stomach to calm down. "Thank you for being here today," she read, her voice more steady than she thought it would be. "Minister Draven will be out momentarily to take your questions."

Some photographers snapped pictures while she continued her opening remarks. Beads of sweat formed on her forehead and she felt an overwhelming wave of nausea come over her.

"He will not be taking any questions concerning..." Hermione swallowed hard. "Concerning..." she suddenly realised that she was going to vomit and turned to leave but instead found herself drenching one of her colleagues.

The crowd of reporters sat in stunned silence as she was rushed off the stage.

"Carol," Hermione said weakly to her colleague. "I'm so sorry."

"It's okay," Carol said reassuringly. "I'm more concerned about you."

"I'll be all right," Hermione collapsed in a chair as blackness seemed to rush in on all sides. "I just need to... find... Harry..."

"Help her into her office Carol," Minister Draven ordered. "And have someone send for her husband and a mediwizard."

"Yes sir," Carol cleaned herself off easily with her wand and with assistance, took the limp Hermione back into her office.

At Auror Headquarters, Harry was sitting in the conference room going over some case notes with Neville and Lupin.

"I still think we need to set up some sort of surveillance," Harry was saying when Megan poked her head in the conference room.

"Harry I'm sorry to bother you but your wife's office just Flooed and said she collapsed at her press conference." Megan bit her lower lip. "They want you to come over immediately."

"What?" Harry asked immediately getting to his feet. "Is she okay?"

"They said she's still out," Megan shrugged. "That's all I know. I'm sorry."

Without another word to his fellow Aurors, Harry ran out of the room at break neck speed. The lift seemed to take forever, but he finally made it to his wife's office. She was lying down on a couch with a cold rag on her forehead. When she saw him, she gave him a weak smile.

"You scared me half to death," he said kneeling down before her. "What happened?"

"I don’t' know," Hermione said, reaching for his hand. "I just got so sick..."

He squeezed her hand reassuringly. "I told you that you shouldn't have come in today."

"I had to," Hermione protested. "I was in charge of his speech."

Harry shook his head. "Hermione..."

"They want me to go to St. Mungos," Hermione replied. "Will you go with me Harry?"

Harry had never seen his wife look so worried. He was scared too, but he didn't want her to know that. She needed him to be strong. "You daft woman of course I'll go with you. I can't believe someone as smart as you would ask such a mad question."

"I didn't know if you had to go back to work," Hermione said as he helped her up. "I'm sorry to drag you away Harry."

"No, I'm right where I want to be," he told his wife, putting an arm around her to support her. "And I'm not going anywhere until we find out what's wrong."

"Thank you Harry," Hermione leaned against him. "I'm sorry to scare you like this."

"It's probably nothing," Harry told her. "You haven't been experimenting in the kitchen again, have you?"

Despite her weak state, Hermione managed to shoot quite a strong glare at her husband.

"Only checking," he said quickly. "Come on let's get you to hospital."

It seemed to take forever, and she was sick again when they finally got checked into a hospital room. She felt Harry pull her hair back as she emptied the rest of her stomach into the sink and then he was holding another cold rag to her forehead as he settled her down onto the bed.

A few minutes later a healer came into the examining room.

"Hello Mr. and Mrs. Potter," he said looking over Hermione's chart. "I'm Miles Porter. I understand that you're experiencing some nausea and that you fainted?"

"Yes," Hermione nodded. "Not more than a half hour ago."

"When did you first have these symptoms?" Miles asked thoughtfully.

"I haven't been feeling well for a few days now, almost a week." Hermione replied. "But today was the first day I've vomited and then passed out."

"Any chills or fever?" Miles continued.

"I was hot so I cast a cooling charm on myself," Hermione said.

Miles nodded and transcribed some notes. "And the date of your last cycle?" he asked.

Hermione paused to think for a moment. "A few months ago," she whispered. She had been so busy lately at the Ministry that she'd actually neglected to remember that!

Miles looked at Hermione. "You might be pregnant, Mrs. Potter. We'll need to perform some tests, but with what you've told me concerning your symptoms and the missed cycles, I think that's a safe bet."

Harry and Hermione both stared at the healer slack jawed. "Pregnant?" she finally uttered. "You really think I might be pregnant?"

Harry didn't want to get his hopes up. They'd had so many false alarms over the past few years.

"I think it's a distinct possibility," Miles said. "I'll be right back and then we can perform the tests."

"All right," Hermione nodded her palms suddenly sweaty.

When they were alone again, Harry looked at his wife. "We shouldn't...I mean...I don't want to set you up for another fall, Hermione."

"I know," Hermione nodded. "I'm trying not to get worked up Harry I really am."

"I know," he said kissing her forehead.

"We've tried for so long though," Hermione whispered.

Harry cupped her face in his hands. "If we're not, we'll just keep on trying, right? Aren't you always telling me that practise makes perfect?"

Hermione smiled back at him. "That's right," she said as he gave her a chaste kiss on the lips. "God I love you so much Harry. I don't know what I'd do without you here."

"I love you," he whispered. "And Julie. You two are all that I need; all that I've ever needed."

They sat together in silence until the healer came back in a few minutes later. With Harry's hand firmly clasped in hers, Hermione went through the series of charms that Miles Porter placed on her.

It seemed to take forever, but Miles finally finished the tests and scribbled the results furiously on the chart.

"Well?" Harry asked impatiently.

"Congratulations," the healer smiled at them both. "You're most definitely expecting!"

Harry looked at him in surprise. He had fully expected the healer to tell them Hermione was just experiencing a stomach bug.

"You're sure?" Harry asked. "Really, really sure?"

"Absolutely positive," Miles replied. "You're due in April, April fifteenth to be exact if the charm I placed on you is correct."

Slowly Harry turned toward his wife. "We're having a baby. Did you hear that? We're having a baby!"

Hermione's eyes were already filled with tears. "I can barely believe it," she said hoarsely.

Harry kissed her and Miles went back to transcribing his notes.

"This is the best news!" Harry exclaimed. "Oh sweetheart. We finally did it!"

"Harry I'm really pregnant?" Hermione asked. "It's not just me being sick?"

Harry shook his head. "You're really pregnant. Julie's finally going to have that brother or sister she's been wanting."

"Oh Harry," Hermione leaned into his arms and began to cry in earnest. "We finally did it Harry!"

Miles excused himself to give the couple their privacy.

Harry held his wife for a long time and found himself crying as well. He broke away from her for a moment to put his hand on her stomach. "This little one is our miracle, Hermione."

"I know," Hermione touched a tear that was zig zagging its way down his cheek. "This is a dream come true."

"We should tell Julie," Harry said. "I don't want to send her an owl. I think this is something we should tell her in person."

"Thank goodness it's Friday right?" Hermione smiled, feeling better than she had all day. "I think I saw she has a Hogsmeade visit tomorrow- her first one."

"So are you thinking what I'm thinking?" Harry asked.

"We should go up there," Hermione stroked his messy hair back. "She's going to be so thrilled Harry."

"Almost as thrilled as her mum and dad," Harry said kissing her once more.

"I think they'll probably give me the rest of the day off." Hermione said. "I don't think Carol wants to see me for at least a week."

"Why's that?" Harry asked. "Oh no...You spewed all over her?"

Hermione turned red. "Something like that."

Harry stifled his laughter. "Poor Carol."

"I should really go apologise," Hermione said.

"You can do that tomorrow," Harry said. "Come on. You're staying home the rest of the day and so am I."

Hermione smiled. "Yes sir."

"You ready to go?" Harry asked.

"Definitely," Hermione said, clasping his hand in hers. "Harry we're going to have another baby." she said softly, as if still trying to believe it.

"We sure are," Harry said helping her off the bed. "You feeling okay? No more dizziness? Not going to get sick?"

"Not right now," Hermione said. "I can't say for later but for now..."

"You're perfect," Harry finished for her. "Absolutely perfect."

Hermione smiled at him. "Thank you Harry," she whispered. "I love you so much."

The next day he and Hermione set off for Hogsmeade. They'd decided to surprise their daughter and hadn't owled her ahead of time. Hermione gripped Harry's hand tightly as they walked. It didn't take long to see Chiaki and Julie looking into the store window of a sweets shop.

"I can't get anything," Chiaki said morosely. "Unless it's sugar-free."

"Why?" Julie asked curiously.

"Because dancers have to watch what they eat," Chiaki replied looking longingly at the display of chocolates. "I'll just live vicariously through you."

Julie laughed. "You can have a chocolate or two," she said. "I know I plan on getting quite a supply."

"You don't want to spoil your lunch do you?" Hermione said from behind them.

Julie gasped and spun around. "Mum! Dad!" she hugged them both. "What are you doing here?"

"Stalking our daughter and making sure she behaves on her first Hogsmeade visit," Harry quipped.

"Dad," Julie shook her head. "Don't embarrass me."

Chiaki giggled. "Hi Uncle Harry. I promise Jules will behave herself."

"With you around?" Harry asked teasingly. "Not bloody likely."

"What are you doing here really?" Julie asked her parents again.

"We have a bit of news," Hermione put an arm around her daughter's shoulders. "And we wanted to give it to you in person."

"Good or bad news?" Julie asked.

"Definitely good news," Harry replied.

"Well?" Julie looked impatiently at both her parents.

"How about we buy you lunch at The Three Broomsticks?" Harry asked. "I promise we'll tell you there, Julie."

"You're welcome to join us Chiaki," Hermione said.

Chiaki smiled. "Thanks Aunt Hermione but I promised Toshio I'd meet him."

"Toshio?" Harry asked. "Who's Toshio?"

"Chiaki's boyfriend," Julie teased.

"He is not!" Chiaki protested. "We're just friends, Julie!"

"Sure," Julie laughed at Chiaki's red expression. "I'll see you back at the castle later."

"Okay," Chiaki said giving Harry and Hermione a hug before hurrying away.

Julie was full of questions as she and her parents made their way to The Three Broomsticks.

"We're not moving are we?" Julie asked. "You haven't gotten a job somewhere else? Or did one of you get a promotion?"

"No, nothing like that sweetheart," Harry held the door open for his wife and daughter.

"Really?" Julie asked. "Because I really love the cottage and I don't want to live anywhere else. I don't care if it is bigger, it won't be the same."

"We're not moving love," Hermione said as they sat down.

"Then what is it?" Julie asked impatiently.

Harry and Hermione smiled at each other. "I found out yesterday that your father and I are expecting another baby."

Julie's mouth dropped. "You...you're what?"

"We're going to have a baby in April," Hermione said.

"Really?" Julie asked. "It's not another..."

"No sweetheart," Harry said. "This one's confirmed by a healer."

Julie beamed at her parents. "This is...it's the best...the greatest...."

"I take it your pleased?" Hermione asked laughing.

"Mum this is so fantastic," Julie rushed around the table to hug her. "I want to help you out as much as possible!"

"When you come home for Christmas you can help us set up the nursery," Hermione said. "We should know by then whether we're having a boy or girl."

"So you're not going to wait and find out when it's born?" Julie asked.

"We hadn't really talked about it," Hermione said looking at Harry. "I just assumed we'd want to know."

"I'm fine with that," Harry said. "We were lucky once, we'll be lucky again." he grinned at his daughter.

Julie laughed. "I'll be happy either way, but I'd really love to have a baby sister."

"We'll know soon enough," Hermione said. "But we wanted to tell you in person. You've been such a help to me throughout the years Julie."

"I'm so glad you did," Julie said softly. "This is the best news, Mum. I'm so happy."

Hermione hugged her again. "We're so happy too sweetheart."

"I'm going to be so much older than the baby," Julie said sitting back down.

"That's good," Harry replied. "No sibling rivalry to deal with."

"I'm way too mature for that," Julie said smugly.

"That's right," Harry said. "Our perfect daughter."

"And don't you forget it," Julie said grinning at her father.

"How can I when you remind me so eloquently?" Harry teased her.

Hermione laughed and picked up her menu. "Let's order. I'm famished."

"And eating for two now Mum," Julie reminded her.

"That's right," Hermione said looking eagerly at her menu.

"So Dad's going to have to start making double the food," Julie giggled.

"And sending me out on all those crazy cravings she gets in the middle of the night," Harry chimed in.

"I didn't get any crazy cravings," Hermione said as Harry closed the photo album. "I sent you out for normal things like ice cream and fish and chips."

Harry stared back at her. "You forget to mention she wanted nacho cheese on your ice cream and then you wanted salsa on your fish and chips." he shuddered.

Hermione looked sheepishly at him. "Those aren't THAT strange."

"They're just disgusting," Harry got up and put the photo album back on the shelf where it belonged.

"Don't knock it until you try it," she told him. "Come on. We should get to bed. We have a big day ahead of us."

"Aye we do," Harry said, helping her up. "We've got one crazy life together Hermione. But I wouldn't change a damn moment of it."

Hermione looped her arms around his neck. "I wouldn't either."

Harry nibbled her earlobe. "Come on- I think we have a little time to indulge before we sleep..."

Hermione smiled. "Hmmm...I like where I think this is heading."

"You always have Mrs. Potter," Harry picked her up effortlessly.

"I love you, you know," Hermione said as he carried her up the stairs.

"Love you too," Harry leaned in for a kiss before they disappeared into the bedroom.

15. Chapter 15

A/N: We’re glad that last chapter helped some of you feel better after our long weekend- but keep the faith guys! We still have one more book and JKR just may have a twist up her sleeve. We’re not giving up fanfic anytime soon and there’s PLENTY more coming that we hope you guys will like!

This chapter marks the end of the Malfoy saga (yes already haha) and some of you may be pleased, others not. It also marks a rather big occasion for Nick and Julie, and brings everyone up to speed to the last chapter of Hillsdale Nights which was Chiaki’s wedding.

Enjoy, and please let us know what you think!!

Nothing seemed out of the ordinary at the Potter household that night. Saffron and Ethan were both sleeping soundly and Greta, for once, managed to turn in early as well. And if it weren't for the silencing charm Hermione had cast on her study, people would must definitely know that things were far from peaceful and quiet.

"You do realise that the two of you can't be just dancing around during the ball," Draco was saying. "With the way the two of you are, you'll get caught up in each other and showing off for everyone that the whole plan will fall apart!"

"And how the hell would you know anything about us?" Harry snapped back. "You and Ginny are good at sneaking off yourselves!"

"Oh come off it, Potter," Draco sneered. "No wonder your poor wife is knackered..."

"Enough!" Hermione said sharply. "Can we please concentrate here so we can finish up with how we're going to pull this off if the ambush in my office doesn't work?"

"Yes," Ginny agreed. "The sooner this is all over with the happier we will be."

"You can say that again," Harry muttered.

"Note the date and time, Red and Granger actually agreed on something," Draco commented dryly.

Both women glared at him.

"Okay, okay," Draco said patting his wife's knee. "I was only making a joke."

"I'll thank you to remember that my last name is Potter now, and has been for many years." Hermione was exhausted and feeling quite crass.

"We know," Ginny snapped. "You remind us all the time. And here I thought you'd be quite the feminist and keep your maiden name."

Downstairs, Ron dusted himself off. He didn't mean to arrive so late, but he needed to talk to Harry about Neville. Neville was taking the term overprotective father to a new level and was promptly driving Ron crazy.

"Harry?" Ron called out.

"And I don't find that to be any business of yours," Hermione glared at her. "I was happy to take my husband's last name." her voice would have carried out of the room but for the silencing charm.

"Yeah, that's not the only thing you were happy to take," Draco muttered.

"You know I've had just about enough of your mouth, Malfoy," Harry retorted.

Ron quickly walked upstairs and made his way down the corridor to Harry and Hermione's bedroom. "You guys decent? I'm coming in!" He covered his eyes with one hand and used the other to open the door. But to his surprise, they weren't there.

"We're helping YOU, remember that," Harry was intent on putting the Malfoys in their place and keeping them there. "Remember that." his eyes were dark.

Ron approached Hermione's study and again covered his eyes before opening the door. It was just like the two of them to be having a quickie in there and Ron didn't fancy seeing that...again.

"If you two are shagging, I apologise for interrupting," he called out as he entered the room.

"Ron," Harry stopped his tirade as his friend walked in unannounced. "What are you doing here?"

Ron still had his eyes covered with his hands. "I need to talk to you about Neville, Harry. He's driving Luna and me mad..."

"Ron," Hermione sounded exasperated.

"What?" Ron asked dropping his hand. He stared in disbelief at the sight before him. "What the hell--?"

"What are you doing here Weasel?" Draco smirked.

"Me? What am I doing here?" Ron asked trying to take all this in. "What are you doing here Ferret?"

Harry put a hand on Ron's arm. "I'll explain to you tomorrow," he said. "Right now... we're... well we're just..."

"You'll explain right now," Ron interjected. "Why are they here? This is just...bizarre, Harry. Have I stumbled into some parallel universe where you and that wanker are friends?"

"Fuck no," Harry and Draco both answered at once.

Ron just shook his head. "I think I need to sit down..."

"We just needed their help with... something," Ginny tried to explain.

Ron stared at his sister. "With what, Ginny?"

"With um..." Ginny clearly didn't want to tell her brother what their plans were or what had been going on.

"Ron," Hermione said kneeling down in front of him. "We would love to tell you about what is going on, but it's really not something we can discuss right now, okay? I promise you that as soon as this is all finished, we'll tell you every single detail."

Ron looked unconvinced. "This involves my sister," he snapped. "What the hell is going on here?"

"Now you care about her?" Draco snapped. "That's just rich, Weasel."

Ron launched out of his chair, his fists clenched. "You'd do well to shut up Malfoy. Once a ferret always a ferret."

"Can I talk to my brother alone, please?" Ginny asked.

"I'm not leaving you alone," Draco said stubbornly.

"He's my brother," Ginny said rolling her eyes. "He's not going to do anything to me, Draco."

Draco wanted to protest but the look on Ron's face was murderous. "Fine, I'll be right outside." he grumbled.

"We'll just go check on Saffron," Hermione said, taking Harry's hand and leading him out of the study.

"Okay," Ron said when they were alone. "What's going on, Ginny?"

"Well..." Ginny twisted her hands together and decided not to tell her brother everything- he'd find out soon enough. "Um... Draco's father, he... tried to um..."

"He tried to what, Ginny?" Ron asked.

She thought about that night again, how Lucius's hands had been all over her body, his lips so rough, and how he'd looked at her since, both as if they shared some sort of secret and sometimes she caught him looking at her in disgust. But at least he'd maintained his distance finally. "He tried to... force himself on me." she whispered.

"HE WHAT?" Ron asked. No matter what had happened in the past, Ginny was still his sister and he wasn't going to let Lucius Malfoy get away with something like that. "I'll kill him!"

"Get in line," Draco said from the doorway, where he'd obviously been eavesdropping.

"Draco!" Ginny said turning around. "You said you would let us talk in private!"

Ron could care less whether Malfoy was there or not. "You let him do that to her?"

"I wasn't there," Draco turned stormy grey eyes on his brother in law. "Do you really think I'd purposely let that jackass hurt her?"

"I'm sorry, Gin," Ron said ignoring Draco. "Are you okay?"

She shrugged. "Okay is one way of putting it," she replied.

"So because of this, you're helping Harry and Hermione?" Ron asked gently.

"We want to put him where he belongs," Ginny offered. "It'll benefit all four of us, or so Draco says." she looked over at her husband.

"Can I do anything to help?" Ron asked and for the first time in quite some time, he saw a little of the girl his sister used to be.

"We're doing fine," Draco said, standing next to Ginny, a hand on her shoulder.

"I'm sure Mum could help," Ron offered.

"No!" Ginny said. "You can't tell her Ron, you just can't say anything to her about this!"

"She wouldn't judge you Ginny," Ron assured her. "And you know she'd love to see you."

Ginny shook her head. "I've hurt her enough Ron. Just leave it be."

"Ginny--" Ron started to protest, but he thought better of it. "If that's what you want, I won't fight you on it."

Ginny nodded and looked away out the window, not saying any more.

Ron knew he should probably go and he stated making his way toward the door, but he stopped and walked over to his sister.

"I know things haven't been great between us for quite some time," he said quietly. "But no matter what, you're my sister, Ginny. And...and I hope you know that if you're ever in any trouble, I'll help you any way that I can."

"Thanks," she said in a quiet, defeated tone. Draco's face remained expressionless although his eyes were still cold.

Ron opened his arms to give her a hug and for a moment, he wondered if she'd tell him to piss off or something like that.

Ginny stared at her estranged brother for a moment before letting him envelope her in a quick, familial hug.

"Take care of yourself Ginny," Ron said softly. He somehow couldn't shake the feeling that this was the last time he'd see her.

"You too," Ginny said hoarsely.

Ron let her go and nodded curtly at Draco before walking out of the study.

*** *** ***

"When did you say you told him to come?" Hermione asked Draco. All four of them were nervous- their plan to ambush Lucius into admitting what he'd done was taking place that day and tempers were running high.

"Two," Draco replied. "We still have some time..."

"Right," Hermione rubbed her hands together briskly. "So you told him you had some dirt on me that would discredit me completely."

"Yes," Draco said impatiently. "I told him it was foolproof."

"So you definitely think he'll come right?" Harry asked.

"Yes," Draco said. "You know for a hero, you're awfully insecure, Potter."

Harry glared at him. "Your father is threatening my wife. Damn right I want to make sure everything goes the way it's supposed to."

"Can we please get through this without any more of your sarcastic remarks?" Hermione asked Draco.

"I'm not the only one!" Draco snapped back at her. "Perfect Potter over there is giving as good as he gets."

"How old are you?" Hermione asked.

"Sod off, all of you," Ginny snapped. "I'm so sick of listening to everything!"

"She's right," Hermione said. "We need to remember what we're all here for."

"Fine," Harry said shortly.

"What about Narcissa?" Ginny asked. "We've kind of forgotten all about her in this. What are we going to do about her?"

"She'll most likely come along," Draco said. "If I know my mother at all, she'll want to witness this."

"So we can nail her as an accomplice." Ginny replied.

"She has no idea about Lucius' behaviour?" Hermione asked curiously.

"Not as far as I can tell," Ginny said, still uncomfortable with talking about what had happened.

Sam poked his head in the office. "Minister? The guards downstairs said that Lucius and Narcissa Malfoy have just arrived. They should be here shortly, Minister."

"All right," Hermione said wiping her sweaty hands on her robes. "Samuel, will you please stay with us while they're here?"

"Of course," Samuel said eagerly.

"Thank you Samuel," Hermione said.

Ginny squeezed Draco's hand. "Tell me that once we do this everything will be okay?"

"If all goes well, then they'll go to Azkaban and we'll go back to Sydney," Draco said softly. "Just you and me."

"Sounds like heaven," Ginny whispered.

"Right," Draco pecked his wife's cheek.

"We can do this right?" Hermione said in a hushed tone to her husband.

"Of course we can love," Harry replied. "I've got my wand and four Aurors on standby in case he tries anything."

Hermione nodded. "I love you."

"Love you," Harry pressed his lips to hers in a quick, light kiss. "We'll be fine."

Samuel walked out of the office so he'd be there to welcome the elder Malfoys. Ginny steeled herself to come face to face with Lucius for what she hoped would be the last time.

"Relax Gin," Draco said in her ear. "I won't let him touch you, I promise."

Ginny gave him a weak smile in response. From just outside the office she could hear Samuel's muffled voice as he played his role to the hilt.

Harry and Hermione assumed scowls on their faces as Lucius and Narcissa swept into the office like they owned it.

"Well, well..." Lucius said with a smirk. "We meet again Potter."

"What are you doing here?" Harry asked angrily. "First your son shows up here saying he has something to tell us and now you...."

"We're here to put the Malfoy name back in the spotlight," Lucius said, sneering.

"I don't see what that has to do with me," Hermione said stepping forward. "I am a very busy woman and I don't have time for these games, Mr. Malfoy."

"You won't be busy after today, Minister Mudblood," Lucius's tone was superior. "My son will be stepping into your shoes and doing a much better job as the Minister for Magic."

"What are you talking about?" Hermione asked indignantly. "Your son isn't going to do any such thing!"

"Oh yes he is," Lucius's eyes narrowed into slits.

Draco stood between them. "Minister for Magic, right Father? It's what you've always wanted...for me right?"

Lucius's smirk faltered for a moment. "Of course it is. You're the one who can bring pride back to the Malfoy name."

"Of course I am," Draco said quietly.

Narcissa eyed Hermione with disdain. "I don't know how they allowed such a plain Muggleborn witch to be elected in the first place."

"Play nicely Narcissa," Lucius lectured. "She'll be gone soon enough."

"That's right," Draco said. "You remember that big news I had for you right Father?"

"Of course Draco, that's why we're here," Lucius said impatiently.

Draco nodded. "Yes, we are here to discredit the Minister. We've worked so hard on doing just that these past few weeks, haven't we?"

"We have," Lucius eyed him. "Of course, I've done most of the legwork here..."

"When you haven't been doing other things," Ginny muttered.

"What is that supposed to mean, Ginevra?" Narcissa hadn't missed her daughter in law's remark.

Ginny met Narcissa's gaze. "If you want an answer to that question, perhaps you should ask your dear husband."

Narcissa rolled her eyes. "Lucius what is this daft girl talking about?"

"I'm sure whatever it is, it's not important," Lucius said dismissively. "Come now, Draco. Tell us your news."

Ginny shook with uncontrollable rage as her father in law brushed off what he tried to do and she looked over at her husband. "Yes love, why don't you tell them." she said through clenched teeth.

"Of course," Draco said squeezing her hand. He was just as ready as she was to finish this. But he wanted to savour his father's defeat. "When I heard this news, I was shocked to say the least." He looked at his father. "I could hardly believe it. To believe that someone was capable of something like that, but then again I should have known better."

"Will you just get on with this?" Lucius asked. "I'd like to try out my-- I mean your new desk."

Draco smirked at his father's slip of the tongue. "Right, Father. Patience was never one of your virtues, was it?"

"Never has been and never will be," Lucius snapped.

Draco folded his arms. "Well let's not keep you in suspense any longer then. As you know I worked long and hard to find some way to discredit the Minister. And I was at the end of my rope really. She's such a goody-goody, you know? She's always done things by the book..."

"Always have, always will," Hermione interjected, sending Lucius a venomous yet smug look.

"And then I received a visit from an old friend," Draco continued. "You remember Professor Snape, don't you Father?"

Draco watched closely as Lucius paled momentarily. "Of course I remember Severus," he covered smoothly.

"Have you had a chance to meet with him since your release?" Draco asked innocently.

"No," Lucius lied. "What does that greasy idiot have to do with this?"

"Everything," Draco replied staring at his father. "He has everything to do with this, doesn't he?"

"I don't know what you're talking about," Lucius was growing angry.

Draco laughed. "Really? Well, they do say memory is the first thing to go. Perhaps it slipped your mind..."

"We didn't come here today to play games Draco," Narcissa was also growing tired of her son's banter. "What is this big news?"

"I'm not playing games, Mother," Draco said. "In fact, I've been the only one in our so-called family who has played it straight right from the beginning."

"You've got that right," Narcissa muttered, glaring at her daughter in law.

"Draco, I've had about enough of this," Lucius said in a bored tone. "What is this dirt you have on the minister?"

"Yes Malfoy," Harry said, playing along. "What is it that you have on my wife?"

Draco paused a moment for dramatic effect. "I know what you planned to do," he said to his father. "Snape told me everything."

"What are you talking about?" Lucius snarled.

Ginny put her hand on Draco's shoulder for support.

He stared at his father for a moment wanting to savour every moment of his downfall.

"Let's see," Draco said thoughtfully. "Where to begin? You would do everything in your power to help me become Minister, playing the supportive, proud father, right? And then as soon as I made it, you were going to have Snape concoct a potion to poison me, but not before I named you as my successor."

"Of course you would name me as your successor," Lucius hissed. "Who else would be able to help you in such a position?"

Ginny stared at Lucius in disbelief. "You were plotting to murder your own son, you bastard!"

"You stay out of this you little bitch," Narcissa's eyes were angry slits.

"Stay out of this?" Ginny asked her. "Stay out of this? I wanted to stay out of this, but your husband wouldn't let me. Why don't you ask him what he's been up to while you've been sleeping? Why don't you ask him what he does when you're not around, Narcissa? Better yet, ask Marisol...I'm sure she'd tell you as well as I could!"

"You shut up," Lucius snapped. "You little vixen, trying to pin all this on ME!"

Lucius made a move toward Ginny, but Draco shoved him away. "DON'T YOU EVER TOUCH MY WIFE AGAIN!"

"Why would I want to?" Lucius sneered. "She's been used, and I'm sure not just by you."

"What about Marisol?" Harry asked stepping forward.

"Who?" Lucius asked, flaring up at Harry. "Why don't you mind your own business, Potter? This doesn't concern you and your Mudblood."

"Actually it does," Harry levelled his wand at Lucius's throat. "Seeing as how you planned on taking over her position and therefore threatening her."

"Put that away before you hurt yourself, Potter," Lucius said. "I imagine you're quite pleased with yourself, eh? You managed to turn my own son against me by filling his head with these lies!"

"He had nothing to do with this," Draco interjected coldly. "This is about you trying to use me to get what you want. This is about you trying to force yourself on MY WIFE while I was at work." his face grew red and his eyes narrowed. "Ginny would NEVER be unfaithful to me, least of all with YOU."

"This is preposterous!" Narcissa exclaimed, shaking her head.

"Oh really?" Draco asked. "Why don't you ask dear old dad here about his trysts with Aunt Bellatrix?"

Narcissa stared at her husband. "What is he talking about Lucius?"

"Nothing, Narcissa," Lucius said through clenched teeth. "He's obviously been brain-washed by Potter."

"Come now," Draco said shaking his head. "Don't you remember all those times Father said he was taking me to those special meetings? Those weren't with Death Eaters, Mum. Those were with Aunt Bellatrix. I would stay in the parlour like a good little boy while Father took care of business with your sister."

"Like he tried to take care of business with me," Ginny said coldly, her courage buoyed by having her husband there. "You disgust me, both of you do."

"You and...Bella?" Narcissa asked turning her attention to Lucius. "No...."

"That's ridiculous," Lucius said. "Ridiculous nonsense."

Narcissa felt as if her entire world was crashing down around her. She looked up and saw Ginny staring at her. This was all her fault.

"You!" Narcissa asked stepping closer to her. "It was your fault! You turned my son against me! You alienated my grandson! And you tried to seduce my husband!!"

"I didn't do anything of the sort," Ginny snapped back. "You've been a pain in my arse from the moment you and your disgusting husband came to our home in Sydney."

Draco turned around in time to see his mother draw her wand at Ginny. "Mother...what are you doing?"

"Doing something I should have done a long time ago," Narcissa snapped.

"Mother," Draco said. "Put that down!"

Ginny was frozen and everything seemed to move in slow motion as Narcissa muttered a few words.

"Expelliarmus!" Harry shouted.

Narcissa's wand went flying through the air and Lucius took that moment to pull his out and aim it at Draco.

"Draco!" Ginny exclaimed, a look of pure horror on her face as she knew what Lucius was about to do. "NO!"

Harry realised it too as Lucius began to say the words of the killing curse. He tried to use Expelliarmus to pull Lucius's wand away but was met with a deflection spell.

"NO!" Ginny screamed.

Harry rushed forward at that moment and pushed Lucius aside, sending the spell past Draco and into the wall.

Draco staggered against his wife who enveloped him in a fierce hug. "I thought he was going to--"

"Get off me!" Lucius hissed to Harry.

"You are under arrest," Harry snarled.

"And so are you, Mrs. Malfoy," Hermione said casting a binding charm on Narcissa. "Maybe you and your husband can get side-by-side prison cells."

"Why am I under arrest?" Narcissa asked in outrage.

"Attempted murder and conspiracy," Hermione replied. "How's that for a start?"

Narcissa bit down on her tongue to keep from uttering any sharp retorts.

"It's over," Ginny said still holding on to her husband. "We did it, Draco!"

"You were both in on it too!" Lucius screamed. "You plotted against them!"

"Prove it," Draco said getting right in his father's face.

Harry smirked at Lucius. "Far as I can see, they helped us entrap you both."

Lucius glared at his son. "YOU are dead to me. A Malfoy would never do what you did today, Draco. You're a disgrace!"

"I've been dead to you for many years," Draco said in disgust. "And now, in Azkaban, you and Mother will both be dead to me."

"And this time, there won't be any early release," Hermione said coldly, her brown eyes glinting.

"Give my regards to the Dementors," Harry said smiling at Lucius.

"You bastard," Lucius hissed. "If you think this is the last you'll hear from me you're wrong. ALL of you are wrong!"

Neville, Natalie and Tristan came into Hermione's office and Neville grinned at his best friend. "Good job, partner."

"Thank you," Harry said, giving Lucius one last smirk as he and Narcissa were led out.

"Are you okay, Draco?" Ginny asked, finally letting go of him.

"Better than I have been in months." he answered.

"They're probably going to need to take a statement from both you and Ginny," Harry said. "It shouldn't take very long."

"Fine," Draco said simply. "I can't wait to get out of this shithole city and back to Australia."

"Don't you think you should say something to Harry?" Hermione asked. "He did save your lives."

Draco's mouth twisted into a grimace. "Thanks Potter, but don't think I owe you anything."

Harry sighed, not really expecting anything less from him. "I guess we're even then."

"Right," Draco grabbed Ginny's hand. He didn't want Potter rubbing it in his face in front of that wimpy Longbottom. "We'll go give a statement and then we're leaving."

"Be nicer to Marisol," Natalie couldn't help interjecting.

Ginny and Draco ignored the young woman as they breezed out of the office.

"The more things change," Hermione said shaking her head. "The more they stay the same."

"Aye but at least this time they're staying out of our lives," Harry said. "And hopefully they've learned a bit of humility along with it."

"Wishful thinking," Neville said. "Come on Tristan, Natalie. You can help take their statements."

"Right," Natalie said, smiling at Harry and Hermione as she followed them out.

Hermione looped her arms around Harry's neck. "You were fantastic today. And if they won't thank you, I will."

Harry grinned. "I'll be happy to let you thank me," he said softly.

"Thank you," she whispered before kissing him.

"Anytime love," Harry said when they pulled apart. "Anytime."

"Do you think things will get back to normal now?" Hermione asked.

"I like to think so," Harry replied. "I certainly hope so."

"Wait until we tell Julie about this," Hermione said. "She's never going to believe that we worked with Nick's parents."

"I still can't believe it either," Harry agreed.

"It certainly was one of the most surreal moments of my life," Hermione said.

Harry laughed. "It's too bad you can't go on your maternity leave again to make up for lost time. Can you believe all this only lasted a month? Feels like it's been going on for a year."

"Tell me about it," she said. She knew that she would have to go downstairs to give a statement as well, but at the moment she was glad to just have peace and quiet with her husband.

*** *** ***

Julie sat the counter of the pub near where she and Nick lived in Guilford. He'd been gone for almost two weeks on his tour and she'd spent most of her time at her parents' house and helping Chiaki with last minute details for the wedding. She took a small sip of the lemon club soda in front of her and glanced at her watch, hoping her boyfriend would arrive soon.

Nick walked into the pub and scanned the crowded pub for Julie. He'd been running a little late and he'd hoped she wouldn't be too upset. He came up behind her and tapped on her shoulder. "Is this seat taken, miss?"

Julie jumped then grinned. "You're here," she hugged him tightly.

"I missed you," he said hugging her back.

"I missed you too," Julie said, burying her face in his shoulder. "It's been a lonely few weeks."

Nick smiled. "I'm sure you didn't have time to miss me what with you helping Chi with her wedding and Saffron."

"Mostly just at night," she grinned.

"You could have come with me instead of being all dependable and responsible," Nick teased her.

"As what, your groupie?" Julie grinned at him, her eyes twinkling. "As if your teenage witch fans don't hate me enough for snagging you all for myself?" she gave him a light kiss on the lips.

"They don't hate you," Nick reassured her. "They're jealous. Big difference."

Julie laughed. "They still tried to hex me at some of your concerts. I'm safer staying right here in Guilford or with my parents in London.”

"I would still have liked you to have come with," Nick said, kissing her forehead.

"Well let's try on your next tour." Julie promised. "I miss you too much when you're away."

"So," Nick said sitting down beside her. "I go away and all hell breaks loose, eh?"

"Like you wouldn't believe," Julie agreed. "Your parents went back to Sydney and your grandparents are in Azkaban."

"And I'm still trying to picture my parents working with yours," Nick said shaking his head. "Never in a million years would I have guessed that would happen."

"Get in line," Julie said. "Poor Uncle Ron walked in on them all together and nearly had a heart attack."

"I know how he feels," Nick said laughing. "I nearly had one myself when I read it in the paper."

"Well all's well that ends well," Julie stirred her soda. "Lucius Malfoy is just awful. They didn't put this in the paper but he plotted to have your father killed once he was named as his successor as Minister."

"Sounds just like him," Nick said quietly. "Mind you, I never met him, but I've heard stories."

"Well," Julie shifted uncomfortably. "He also tried to... force himself on your mum. That was the final straw from what I gather. That's when your parents went to mine for help."

"Something else the papers didn't mention," Nick said, not really sure what to make of any of this. "But say what you want to about my dad, he does love my mother. I think she's the only thing he does love other than himself."

Julie squeezed his hand. "I'm just so glad it's all over and done with."

"Me too," Nick said leaning in and giving her a quick kiss. "So what else has been going on?"

"Nothing much, aside from us getting ready for the wedding," Julie said as she tossed her hair over her shoulder. "And Mum and Dad have been kept up at all hours with Saffron- she's been a bit fussy lately whenever they put her down for a kip."

"She's missed her Nick," he joked.

"Oh please," Julie said but she was laughing. "She's not like Maddie, not yet. Speaking of Maddie though, did I tell you that she's been sending Ethan letters?"

"She's got it bad for your brother."

"Aye," Julie was still giggling. "It's so cute. And of course Ethan doesn't want to write back but Dad makes him."

"He doesn't say anything bad, does he?" Nick asked.

"No, Mum stands over his shoulder while he writes," Julie said as she asked for another club soda.

“Good," Nick said. "I think that someday, Ethan just may change his mind about Maddie."

"Who knows?" Julie agreed. "I think it'd be cute if they got together."

"Aunt Luna thinks Maddie's already planning the wedding," Nick said with a grin. "She told me the other day, Maddie was plotting out a wedding with her dolls and stuffed animals and Dolly, of course."

"That silly Cornish pixie," Julie said with a laugh. "I can't believe she still has it."

"Neither can Uncle Ron," Nick said. He looked around the pub. "Do you want to get a table in the back? It would certainly be a little less crowded..."

"Sure that sounds good," Julie agreed, grabbing her drink and Nick's hand as he led them to the back.

A few minutes later they were settled in a booth near the back of the pub. Nick smiled across the table at her. "Have I told you how much I missed you?'

"Maybe now that we're back here out of the crowd you can show me how much," Julie grinned.

Nick grinned and leaned across the table and kissed her properly. "How's that?"

"Better," Julie replied. "But I think we'll have to wait until we get home for the real welcome back."

"I don't know," Nick said with a shrug. "I'm pretty knackered..."

Julie narrowed her eyes. "Is that so Nicholas Tarrington?"

"Only joking," Nick said winking at her. "You know that I'm never tired for that."

"I know you aren't," Julie sat back against the booth and unbuttoned her cardigan. "Especially after going two weeks without."

"You know me too well," Nick said, leaning in for another kiss.

"I like to think so," she kissed him back.

"So, um," Nick said when the pulled apart. "While I was away, you know...I had some time to think. Loads of time to think..."

He felt nervous as he reached into his pocket for the ring box. He didn't want to do it like this. Proposing should be something memorable. It should be something that Julie would remember for the rest of her life. He didn't want to just ask her.

"What about?" Julie asked as she finished her club soda. "Hey maybe we should get some champagne," she said. "To celebrate your homecoming!"

Nick grinned. "Yeah, that'd be perfect. I'll go and order some for us."

"Great," Julie smiled at him as he got up and went to the bar.

Nick walked up to the bartender. "I need your help, mate."

"Sure," the other man smiled. "What can I do for you?"

Nick pulled the ring box from his pocket. "I'm trying to propose to my girlfriend. Can I have a bottle of your finest champagne and could you drop this ring into one of the flutes? You don't think that sounds too cheesy do you? I just want this to be perfect for her..."

"Aye mate, that sounds like a good idea," the bartender replied. "Say, you're not Nick Malfoy are you?"

"No, but I look like him, don't I?" Nick replied.

"You sure do," the bartender nodded, peering suspiciously at him.

"I get that all the time actually," Nick said, hoping this bloke wasn't going to make a scene. The last thing Nick wanted or needed was fans descending upon him and Julie in the middle of the proposal.

"Right," the bartender still looked suspicious but nodded. "Just let me know when you want me to bring the champagne over."

"Give us about five minutes," Nick said. "And thanks, mate."

"No problem." the man said.

Julie smiled as Nick rejoined her. "Did they have any?" she asked. "I'm rather in the mood for champagne."

"They did," Nick said. "The bartender will bring it around in a few minutes."

"Great," Julie said, sliding over to sit by him. "I'm so glad you're home," she said.

"And hopefully won't be leaving again for quite some time," Nick said putting an arm around her and pulling her close.

"I may not let you go," she grinned at him.

"And I thought you'd be sick and tired of me by now," Nick said with a laugh.

"Are you kidding," Julie nudged his shoulder. "You're lucky I love you so much Malfoy. I couldn't get tired of you."

"Good answer," Nick said smugly.

"Right," she said, nudging him again.

"Here's your champagne," the bartender came over with the two flutes on a tray with the bottle. "We don't normally carry a lot of the bubbly so it took a few minutes to dig out of our icebox."

"Thanks," Nick said, smiling as he saw the bartender hand Julie the flute with the ring.

"No problem," the bartender smiled before turning back to his duties.

"This is great, isn't it?" Nick asked her. He was waiting for Julie to notice the ring at the bottom of her flute, but at the moment, she seemed completely oblivious.

"Of course it is," she replied. "Whenever we're together things are great." she sipped slowly at her champagne.

"Aye," Nick agreed. "These are really nice flutes, don't you think?"

"Yes," Julie replied. "A bit plain but then again, like the guy said, they don't serve champagne very often so they probably don't keep a lot of them on hand."

Nick watched as Julie took another sip of her champagne. He didn't want to ruin the moment by telling her to look. "Really nice flutes, I think. Sometimes, things don't have to be really flashy to get your attention you know. Simple things can be quite beautiful."

"Sure," Julie agreed. "How come you aren't drinking yours?"

Nick gave her a slight smile before taking a sip. "That's really quite good."

"Yes it is," she replied. It was going down quite easily and she finished off the glass and pulled it away as something hard hit her lips. "Did they put ice in this or something..." her words died as she saw exactly what it was.

Nick breathed a sigh of relief. He'd been sure she was about to swallow the ring.

"Nick..." Julie said faintly. "Is this... what I think it is?"

"That depends," Nick said smiling at her. "What do you think it is?"

"It's a diamond," she said hoarsely, taking it from the flute. "A rather lovely diamond ring."

"So you do like it?" Nick asked her. He stood up and got down on one knee. "Because I think you should like it if you're going to wear it the rest of our lives, don't you?"

"I love it," she said as tears came to her eyes. He plucked it from her hand and held it up.

"Julie Potter," Nick said smiling up at her. "Would you do me the great honour of agreeing to be my wife?"

"Yes!" she said almost before the words even left his mouth. "Yes! Yes!"

"You sure you don't need time to think it over?" Nick asked teasingly slipping the ring on her finger.

"Why would I need that?" Julie asked as he sat next to her in the booth again. "I love you so much. I'd spend the rest of my life with you even if we never married."

"I feel the same way," Nick said, kissing her. "If you could have seen me this past week...practising how I'd ask you. I did okay, didn't I?"

"You did more than okay," she said as he wiped away her tears. "You're the best Nick."

"I never get why women cry so much when they're happy," he said with a laugh.

"It's definitely a woman thing," Julie said, leaning in to kiss him.

"Who would have ever thought they'd see the day when a Potter agreed to marry a Malfoy," Nick said when they pulled apart.

"Nobody," Julie laughed. "But then again, who knew there was a Malfoy as amazing as you Nick? Until I met you I'd never have thought it."

Nick smiled. "What do you say we bring the rest of this home and have our own private celebration?"

"That sounds fabulous to me," Julie leaned in and kissed him again. "I think I'm going to be hungry in a few hours too."

"We could probably order something to bring home with us," Nick said. "For later....much later, of course."

"You have same idea I do," Julie replied as they slid out of the booth.

"Well, it has been two long, lonely weeks..."

"That it has," Julie said. "Which is thirteen and a half days too long..."

"Personal record for us," Nick said. "But not one I'm very proud of."

"Me either," Julie replied. "Leaves me feeling rather antsy."

"Me too," Nick admitted. "We should probably go ahead and place that order, eh? The sooner we get out of here..."

"Right," she gave him another kiss as they slid back into their seats at the bar.

"It's really uncanny how much you look like that Nick Malfoy," the bartender said after he took their order.

Julie looked at her now fiancé and grinned. "You know love, he's right. I never paid that much attention as to how much you look like that Nick Malfoy."

"I don't know," Nick said tilting his head toward her. "I think I'm much better looking than him. And I think I'm nicer, too."

"You're a bit better looking than him," Julie said, playing along. "But I've seen him in concert. There's something about that bloke when he's onstage that sets me on fire."

"You just like it when he wears those leather trousers," Nick scoffed. He looked at the bartender. "Sometimes I think she's only going out with me because I look a little like this Malfoy..."

"Can you blame me?" Julie asked, leaning against him and resting her head on his shoulder.

The bartender laughed. "I'll just go and check on your order."

When they were alone, Nick nudged her. "We probably shouldn't have done that."

Julie laughed. "Now before we do anything tonight I want to see you in those leather trousers. You know once you even MENTION those that I can't get them out of my head until I see you in them."

Nick rolled his eyes. "Jules..."

"Nicholas," she said. "I can always tell that bartender who you really are..."

"Okay, I'll wear the leather trousers," Nick said.

Julie squealed. "Maybe you should wear them at the wedding," she said, her arms around his neck.

"I will if you wear that blue lace thing of yours," Nick countered.

"That may not be such a good idea in front of my parents," Julie replied. "But for tonight..."

"Here you are," the bartender said handing them a paper bag. "That'll be..."

Nick threw some money down on the counter and grabbed the bag. He took Julie's hand. "Keep the change!" he called over his shoulder.

"Hey thanks!" the bartender called out as the two left the pub.

Julie laughed as he pulled her down the street. "Are we eager Mr. Malfoy?" she asked teasingly.

"Maybe a little," Nick said not bothering to slow down.

"Nick-" Julie pulled on his hand. "Good things come to those who wait."

"Whoever said that didn't know what they were talking about," Nick said impatiently. "Come on, Jules..."

Julie laughed as they hurried back to their little place on the corner of a cobblestone street. "I really do love the ring," she said as he unlocked the door.

"I actually bought it two months ago," Nick said. "But I was waiting for the right moment to give it to you."

"You mean you've been planning on proposing for two months and you never told me?" Julie put her hands on her hips.

Nick grinned. "Would have spoiled the surprise, wouldn't it? What would you have liked me to say? Something like, 'Jules, I've bought you a ring but I'm not going to give it to you until I find the perfect moment'. You'd have thrown me out of the house."

Julie's lips twitched. "All right you may have a point there," She said, relaxing her stance.

"May have a point?" Nick asked her as they walked inside. "Just give it up, Jules and for once admit that I'm right. I know you can do it. Just say, 'Nick, you're right'."

"No way," Julie replied, setting her bag down on the table they kept in the hall.

Nick shrugged and made like he was going to walk right past her, but at the last minute picked her up and threw her over his shoulder. "I guess I'll just have to torture you to get you to admit I was right."

"Nick!" she cried, laughing too hard to protest.

"You got yourself into this mess," Nick said patting her arse as he walked toward the bedroom. "You could have avoided it, you know? Just by saying that I was right..."

"What sort of mess is this?" Julie asked. "Far as I can see, I'm letting you have your way with me."

Nick frowned as he opened their bedroom door. "Letting me have my way with you?"

He set her down on the bed. "Okay, well don't say you didn't ask for it..."

Nick grinned mischievously at her as he took off her shoes. "You and I both know that there is one thing you can't stand, Jules. For someone to tickle your feet...."

"No way!" Julie squealed as he grabbed her legs. "Nicholas!"

"It could have all been avoided," Nick said laughing as she tried to pull away from him.

"Don't you dare!" she was laughing too as she jumped off the bed and he chased after her.

Nick lunged for her and fell onto the bed which caused her to double over in laughter.

"Okay, it wasn't that funny," Nick said.

"Yes it was," she had tears running down her face. "Absolutely hilarious."

"I would never have laughed at you like that," Nick said.

"Oh really?" Julie said, flopping down next to him. "I seem to remember the time your Uncle Fred gave me that chocolate cake and you sat and laughed while I sprouted horns."

Nick looked thoughtfully at her. "Oh, I'd forgotten about that. Okay, you see that was hilarious." He started to snicker.

"Right," Julie pushed at his shoulder playfully. "That makes us even."

"For now," Nick said. "But you really should have known better than to eat that cake, Julie."

"I suppose you're right," she leaned in closer.

"What was that?" Nick asked. "Did you just say that I was right?"

"I said I suppose," Julie said, her eyes twinkling.

"I'll take it," Nick said pulling her over onto his lap. "It's a start."

"Mmmhmm..." Julie clearly had other things on her mind as she kissed him.

Nick lay back onto the bed bringing her down with him, not breaking the kiss.

Julie ran her hands through his hair as he rubbed his hands over her back under her shirt. "Ooh..." a small sigh escaped her lips. "I can't believe you proposed. It feels like a dream."

"You had to have some idea that I would," Nick said as he unclasped her bra.

"I didn't," Julie said. "No clue at all."

Nick smiled. "Well, what do you know? I can still surprise you..."

"You certainly can," she said as he dipped his head to kiss her neck.

Nick wondered for a fleeting moment how his parents would react to the news. He didn't really care one way or the other, but he certainly would like to see the looks on their faces when they read the news.

As Julie lifted his jumper over his head, Nick quickly forgot all about his parents and anything else for that matter.

Julie could hardly contain how happy she was and she could tell that all her enthusiasm was going into her kisses. "I'm so glad you're home," she said between kissing his lips and his neck. "I really, really, really missed you."

"I missed you, too," Nick said huskily. "And I definitely missed you doing that...and that..."

"And this?" she asked mischievously, working her hand into his trousers.

"Mmmm," Nick murmured. "Definitely, definitely missed that."

"I bet," Julie said, pulling her hand out so she could tug down his zipper. "Get those trousers off Malfoy. You can wear the leather ones later for me."

Nick laughed and sat up on the bed, pulling off his trousers. "Yes ma'am, but I have a feeling that once you're done with me, I won't be able to move."

"If that's the case you can wear them tomorrow," Julie said, her green eyes dark with lust as she pulled her skirt off.

"I'll be sure to wear them tomorrow when we go and tell your parents," Nick teased as they both slid under the covers.

"And I'm sure that will go over well, with them and with Greta," Julie laughed.

"Come here you," Nick whispered huskily.

"Where would you like me?" Julie asked in a low voice.

"Right about here," Nick said pulling her close.

"Here sounds good to me too," Julie said, smiling up at him as she brushed a few strands of his silky blond hair out of his eyes.

"I love you," he said softly before kissing her.

"I love you too Nick," she said when they pulled apart.

Nick smiled feeling happier than he could ever remember feeling in his life. Everything he'd always wanted he now had and it was because of her.

They made love with a rather desperate passion that evening- which left them breathless and on the brink of sleep.

"So um..." Julie's words were interrupted by a loud yawn. "When were you thinking we'd marry?"

"I don't know," Nick replied sleepily. "I hadn't really thought much beyond the proposal to tell you the truth."

"I'm thinking autumn," Julie replied, snuggling into his side more. "I want to be married at the same place my parents were."

"And where was that?" Nick asked.

"Their reception was in a really nice hotel in downtown London," Julie said, her eyes closing. "I'll have to ask them where the church was."

"Whatever you want is okay by me," Nick said softly. "And I hope we're at least as half as happy as your parents are."

"I think we already are," Julie whispered.

"I want to give you everything you've ever wanted," Nick told her. "Because that's what you did for me, Jules."

"I did?" she raised her head a little, her eyes still half closed. "You're all I dreamed about Nick, for a long time. Even before I knew you."

"Always dreamed you'd marry a Malfoy, eh?" Nick asked her.

Julie giggled. "No but you're what I dreamed of when I thought I'd get married someday."

"I have a confession to make," Nick said to her. "I never actually thought I'd ever get married. I didn't exactly grow up in a home with the best example of marriage, did I? But when I met you, it was like everything clicked into place. And I knew that you were the one."

"You did?" Julie asked, pleased.

"After you stopped slapping me every time I kissed you," Nick replied. "Yes, I did."

She giggled again. "I guess that means you were right," she said, resting her head back on his shoulder.

Nick laughed. "You just don't want to come out and say that I am right. You've always got to preface it with 'I guess' or 'I suppose'.”

"Okay," She raised herself up on her arm. "You were right, Nick Malfoy."

"I think we should include that in the vows," Nick said smugly.

"Keep dreaming," Julie yawned again. "I'm going to have good ones tonight."

"About me in leather trousers?" Nick asked with his own yawn.

"Among other things," she teased sleepily.

"Good night, Jules."

"Good night Nick." with one last kiss, the couple slid into sleep.

16. Chapter 16

AN: Thanks for your continued support on this story you guys. We’re now moving on to Allison and Jon’s big storyline, and please note that this takes place the night of Chiaki and Toshio’s wedding! We don’t want you guys getting confused ;)

As always, please let us know what you think by leaving a review and we’ll see you on Tuesday! HMS Delusional ROCKS!!!

Allison followed Jon nervously but excitedly back to his and Josh's flat. Lizzy and Josh were ahead of them, hands clasped and they were talking quietly. She looked over at Jon.

"I can't wait to get out of these robes," she said and then realising what that must have sounded like, she turned red.

Jon grinned wickedly at her. "Is that so Longbottom?"

"Yes," she said nudging him in the side. "You know what I meant so get your mind out of the gutter."

"Right," He slid an arm around her, pulling her close.

"I don't think my dad suspected anything," Allison said resting her head on his shoulder. "Lizzy's folks think she's staying with us and mine think I'm staying with her."

"Hopefully they won't decide to check with one another," Jon replied.

"I'll cross my fingers," Allison said holding up her right hand and doing just that.

Jon laughed. "You said that Julie promised to floo us if there was any trouble right?"

"Yes," Allison said smiling at him. "Everything's going to be fine."

"Of course it is," Jon kissed her as Josh dug for his keys.

"Jon even cleaned up for you, Allie," Josh said as he held the door open for the girls.

"Did you?" Allison smiled at her boyfriend.

"I did," Jon said proudly. "Just don't open my closet. I wouldn't want you to get hurt."

Josh, Lizzy and Allison laughed. "I'll keep that in mind." she kissed his cheek.

Once they were inside the flat, Allison was amazed at the transformation. The last time she'd been here, the place had been cluttered with boxes. It was nearly immaculate now.

"Told you he cleaned," Josh said grinning at her as he and Lizzy sat down on the sofa.

"Very nice," Allison rewarded him with another kiss, this time on the lips. "I can't believe how cool this is. I still can't get over that you two have your own flat and here in London no less!"

"I can't believe we've not managed to kill each other yet," Jon joked.

"I'm sure it hasn't been that bad," Lizzy said, leaning against Josh.

"It's still early days," Josh said putting an arm around her. "Give us time."

Allison tugged on Jon's arm. "Let's give them some privacy," she whispered.

"Okay," Jon said leading her down the hall to his bedroom. He held the door open for her. "After you..."

"Thanks," Allison said the nervous feeling back. She and Jon had slept in the same bed before but this felt so different. It was in his new flat, they had no adult supervision... and they were pretty much completely alone.

Jon was nervous, too. He closed the door behind him and smiled at her as she sat down on the edge of his bed. "Do you um, want to borrow one of my t-shirts? I know you wanted to get out of your robes..."

"That would be great," Allison smiled tentatively. "I didn't bring any pyjamas. Told my Mum I'd borrow something of Lizzy's."

Jon nodded and walked over to the dresser. He pulled open one of the drawers and handed her one of his oversize t-shirts. His hand lingered on hers. "Allie, we don't have to do anything you don't want to do. You know that, right? It's enough for me just to be with you.”

"I know Jon," she smiled at him. "I love you... but I'm not really sure if I'm ready for that step yet."

He sat down beside her on the bed. "Its okay, Al."

"You're the best," Allison leaned against him. "You really are Jon."

"If I am, it's because of you," he said softly. "I saw you walking down that aisle today and I just couldn't keep my eyes off of you. I love you so much."

She leaned in and kissed him. "I love you so much too."

"So, I guess we should get ready for bed then?" he asked. "I'll even turn around while you get changed if you want..."

"It's okay," Allison said. "You've seen me in my knickers before." she blushed.

"Yeah," he grinned. "I sure have..."

"Letch," she said affectionately before giving him another kiss.

Jon put his hands on her waist and pulled her close, deepening the kiss. Allison leaned back onto the bed and pulled him down on top of her.

He unbuttoned her robes, peeling them gracefully away from her as their mouths fused together.

Jon ran his fingers through her hair as she tugged on his robes. "Allie," he said huskily.

"Hmm?" she asked her eyes half closed.

He looked down at her and touched her cheek. "Do you want to stop?"

"Not yet," she said, pulling at his sleeves.

He grinned and eased out of his robes before claiming her lips again in a fiery kiss.

Her gasp of surprise was muffled by his mouth as their tongues duelled and hands wandered.

The room was dark except for the light from the lamp on Jon's bedside table. Jon pulled away for a moment to catch his breath. Things were getting out of hand and he wondered if perhaps they should stop before something happened that they weren't ready for yet. But, looking at her now, he didn't want to stop. This felt right. He wondered if she felt that way, too.

Allison's breath was coming fast as she leaned back against the pillows again. "I don't know what I want to do," she whispered.

Jon nodded and lay down beside her. "Its okay, Al. We were moving a bit fast. I'm sorry..."

"No," Allison shook her head. "I liked it Jon..."

"Really?" he asked softly, a shy smile on his face.

"Yeah," she smiled back. "I mean... it sort of scares me but..."

"...you like it?" Jon asked. "I feel the same way, Allie."

"Yeah," she replied, moving closer to him. "It's just... such a grown up thing to do," she giggled self consciously.

Jon laughed nervously. "It is that. Merlin, I feel as nervous as I did that first night we went out."

She laughed too. "I can't believe you were nervous. We had such a good time."

"How could I not be nervous?" he asked her. "I was afraid I was going to do something stupid like trip over my feet or fall in the lake or something."

"We weren't anywhere near the lake," Allison reminded him.

"No, we aren't," Jon said with a laugh.

"My favourite part of the evening was when you kissed me," she said, moving even closer. "That was my first kiss ever."

"Mine too," he whispered. "We've done a lot of things 'first' with each other, haven't we?"

"Yeah," she said softly as he leaned in and gave her a gentle kiss.

"I love you," he said when they broke apart.

"I love you too," she said. "First love," she giggled again, feeling quite stupid.

He laughed and tickled her. "You're so...adorable."

"Adorable?" Allison laughed. "No one but my mum and dad calls me adorable."

"You are," Jon said tickling her again. "You called me cute, Allie. If you can do that, I can call you adorable."

"When did I call you cute?" Allison challenged.

"The night of the Yule Ball," he said. "I heard you telling Lizzy how cute I looked."

"I said you looked handsome," Allison corrected, grinning.

"Did you?" Jon asked sitting up and puffing out his chest. "Handsome, I like that."

She laughed. "I think you're very handsome but perhaps I'm biased."

"Maybe just a little," he said with a grin. He lay back down beside her and pulled her close.

They lay together quietly for a few minutes. "Jon?" Allison asked quietly.

"Yes," he said, closing his eyes and feeling content with her in his arms.

"What if..." she swallowed nervously. "What if I changed my mind about what I said earlier? About me not being ready?"

Jon's eyes shot open at this. He turned and looked at her. "What? Allie..."

"You didn't pressure me," Allison interrupted. "And it's only if you want to."

"Are you kidding me?" he asked her, leaning in to kiss her softly. "Allie, you're all I've ever wanted."

Allison couldn't help but smile. "I love you so much Jon. All that talk about us being the 'first' for one another..."

He smiled back at her. "Are you sure?"

She nodded. "I trust you Jon."

Jon sat up, as did Allison. Now that the moment was here, he honestly didn't know what he should do first. To his surprise, it was Allison who made the first move. Her eyes were on his as she slowly undid the buttons on the ivory coloured blouse she'd worn under her dress robes.

"Help me?" she asked softly, trying to control her trembling fingers

Jon's own hands were shaking as he inched closer to her on the bed. He undid the rest of the buttons on her blouse. She shivered at his touch and he looked at her. "I'm sorry if my hands are cold..."

"They're okay," she said softly as he helped draw the blouse over her shoulders.

He smiled at her and brushed a strand of hair from her face. "My Allie..."

She smiled. "Your Allie," she whispered back as she drew her skirt over her legs. He pulled at his tie and shirt, tossing them along with his trousers to the floor.

Jon was about to kiss her again when he abruptly pulled away. "Allie, shouldn't we...do you know how to..."

He didn't know how to bring up protection spells without killing the mood. He didn't know any of them and he wondered if she did.

"Julie and Chiaki showed me earlier," the light in her eyes grew a bit mischievous. "I was talking to her about it while we were getting ready."

He grinned. "Planning on seducing me, were you?"

"It was right after we were dancing that I went to the loo and did it," Allison blushed. "Gave me ideas."

"We should dance more often," he said cheekily.

"Horizontal or tango?" Allison asked devilishly.

"Allie!" he said laughing. "What am I going to do with you?"

"I can think of something," she replied, curving her hand around his nape.

He kissed her, this time with only a trace of the nervousness he felt earlier. Some people might say they were too young and that they were moving too fast, but it didn't matter to either of them how it might have looked to other people. All that mattered now was how they felt.

His hands travelled to her bra and she had to help him unclasp it. Her hands were shaking again as they did this but at the look in his eyes that feeling evaporated.

"Allie," he said softly his hand on her shoulder. "Are you sure?"

Allison nodded. "I'm totally positive Jon. I couldn't think of anyone I'd rather do this with."

He smiled. "I feel the same way."

Allison placed a hand on his cheek and drew him down again for a kiss.

Jon peppered her neck with kisses and slowly pulled away her bra. He hoped she wasn't afraid and that what he was doing was okay.

She pulled her arm out of the bra as he tossed it to the floor. Her stomach fluttered a bit nervously but she reached down to tug on her knickers.

Jon felt a rush of heat flood through his body. He pulled his boxer shorts off and they sat for a moment just looking at each other. "Allison..." he whispered.

"Yeah?" she asked her voice barely audible.

"You're..." he said gazing at her. "You're beautiful."

Allison smiled. "Thank you," she said her voice louder this time.

He pulled her closer, kissing her forehead, her nose, her cheek and then smiling at her before kissing her lips.

She kissed him back, her hands moving over his shoulders and bare back. He brought them back down onto the bed, their lips still fused together as their kisses became hotter and more frantic.

Jon worked his way down, nuzzling her ear before trailing kisses down her neck and shoulders.

Allison arched her back a little to better position herself beneath him. Their hands were roaming all over now. "Jon," she moaned softly.

Jon liked hearing her say his name like that. No, he thought as she kissed his neck, he loved that. "Allie..."

"I feel like I'm on fire," she said, and blushed. "That sounded really stupid didn't it?"

He shook his head. "No, no...I feel the same way. I think this is how it's supposed to feel."

"Okay then," she whispered as he brought his hand down between her legs.

Jon hesitated only a moment before sliding his fingers inside her.

"Oh!" her eyes nearly crossed as the words escaped her lips.

Jon wondered for only a split second if Josh and Lizzy could hear them, but Allison kissed him so soundly that he forgot about anything in the entire world but her.

"Please keep doing that," she whimpered.

Jon smiled and did exactly what she wanted. He kissed her to keep her from screaming out.

She let her cry into his mouth. "Stop teasing me," she hissed when they pulled apart.

He removed his fingers and positioned himself on top of her again. Kissing her insistently, he entered her.

A tear leaked out of her eye as he did this. "It's okay," she said when he stopped. "Keep going Jon."

"Are you sure?" he asked her. "You're crying..."

"It just feels strange," she said. "I'm not crying because it hurts."

He kissed her. "I love you, Allison."

"I love you too Jon," Allison said as he wiped the tear away. "So much..."

This was all the invitation Jon needed and they began to move together. He was careful to be gentle as he didn't want to hurt her.

She moved her body against his as he pushed even more into her. The tears were replaced with the butterflies in her stomach fluttering madly at what was happening. Allison wasn't sure how she could have gone her whole life without feeling this good.

Jon kissed her again feeling as if his insides were haywire. She wrapped her legs around him and Jon went deeper than he had before. Before he could scream out, he buried his face in her shoulder again.

"Jon," Allison wanted to scream out his name over and over again and wished they had set a silencing charm on the room.

"Allie," he breathed. "Allie..."

"I know," she said, tears coming to her eyes again.

"That was...amazing," he whispered collapsing against her.

She nodded, incapable of speaking at that moment.

Jon pulled the hair back from her face. He kissed her softly.

Allison kissed him back as he pulled himself out of her. He pulled the covers over them, leaving the heavier blanket at the foot of the bed. She buried her face in his shoulder for a moment.

"Allie?" he asked softly, concern in his voice. "Is everything okay?"

"Yes," she said, her voice muffled. "I'm just sort of... drifting here. Don't want to come back down." she smiled at him.

He relaxed. He'd been afraid that her silence meant she'd regretted what they'd just done.

"I dreamt about this," Jon said stroking her cheek. "Being with you like this..."

"You did?" she asked softly.

He nodded. "And tonight was better than I could have ever imagined."

"For me too," Allison traced his cheek with her fingers as he leaned in to kiss her again.

"Do you ever think about what you want to do after you get out of school?" Jon asked, somewhat shyly. He'd wanted to ask her this for some time now, but he was afraid that it was too soon to bring up something so monumental. In light of what they'd just done, he had a feeling that perhaps now was the time. "Where you might...live?"

"Somewhere with you I hope," Allison buried her burning face in his shoulder again.

"I know our parents might not like it and they'll probably say we're too young," Jon said softly. "But I would really like it if you'd move in here with me after you graduate. Do you...would you want that, too?"

"Yes," she answered immediately. "I mean... I don't know how my dad would react to that... but I'll be legally an adult by then."

"He probably wouldn't be too happy," Jon said. "I know he'd probably freak if he knew where you were right now."

"Probably," Allison said. "But I don't care."

Jon didn't want to come between Allison and her father. But, he also knew that he wasn't going to lose her either. "Maybe he'll understand. Chiaki and Toshio were our age when they got together, too..."

"Yeah they were," she smiled. "And look at them now... married."

Jon laughed. "And Toshio's still alive, right?"

"Right," Allison giggled too and snuggled closer to him.

Jon was exhausted, but he didn't want to go asleep just yet. "You know I'm sure we could think of someway of sneaking you out of Hogwarts..."

She laughed. "Dumbledore has more eyes than all our parents put together. We might have to make do for Hogsmeade visits until we get to come home for the holidays."

"You're right," he said. "But you and I we spent nearly every night together this past year. I got used to you, Al."

"That makes two of us," Allison said quietly. "It's going to be awfully cold in my bed this year at school."

"It's going to be awfully cold here too," he said. "But it's like you said we'll have Hogsmeade weekends and we'll have the holidays. And I'll come to all of your matches."

"Right," Allison leaned on an elbow. "Because don't you forget that I might be made captain this year."

"Might be?" Jon asked teasingly. "Come on, Allie. You're a shoe-in."

"I hope so," she said fervently.

"You'd certainly have my vote," Jon said kissing her. "For that and...other things."

"Oh, what other things might those be?" she asked, laughing as he rolled her up on top of him.

"Anything you want," Jon said smiling up at her.

"So..." Allison kissed him lightly. "Does that mean if I want to do this again once or twice before I have to go back to school we can?"

"Just once or twice?" he asked.

"As many times as we can?" she corrected herself.

"So," Jon teased. "I guess this means you'll be 'visiting' Lizzy a lot this summer."

Allison laughed. "I certainly hope so. I'm glad her parents let her get a place here too. She says they miss each other a lot but she wants to be in London to get a jump start on a job search."

Jon nodded. "She'll spend most of her time with Josh."

"And I'll spend as much time as I can with you," Allison kissed him again before rolling off to his side and reaching down for her knickers and bra.

Jon followed her lead and looked around for his boxers. "Are you hungry?" he asked as he put them back on. "Thirsty?"

"A bit of both," she replied. "Tired too, but definitely more thirsty and hungry."

"Let's go and grab a snack or something," Jon said handing her the t-shirt he'd offered her earlier. "I bought some of that triple chocolate fudge ice cream you like so much."

"So you had this planned all along aye?" Allison teased, slipping it over her head.

"No," Jon said quickly. "Allie, I didn't! I just had it for when you came over. That's all..."

"I'm just teasing you," she replied with a grin, shaking her hair behind her. It was wavy from being up in a plait all day and she'd let it grow so it was just past her shoulder blades. "I wouldn't blame you if you did plan it."

He laughed. "You look really good in my t-shirt, Longbottom."

She grinned. "Come on; let's get at that ice cream."

Jon kissed her before leading the way out of his bedroom. It was quiet in the flat and Jon suspected that Josh and Lizzy had either gone back to her place or had gone to bed themselves.

Allison looked around. "I see someone's shirt over there," she whispered.

"Where?" Jon asked. He reached blindly for the light switch.

"Hey!" Josh squinted and looked up from the sofa, as did Lizzy who was pinned underneath him.

"Are we interrupting anything?" Jon teased.

"Shut up and go away," Josh said rudely. "And turn the bloody light off."

"Josh," Lizzy said swatting at him. "Be nice."

"Please shut up and go away," Josh said without missing a beat.

"It's my place too, you prat," Jon said ignoring his brother and walking into the kitchen. "Al? You want pumpkin juice or soda?"

"Pumpkin juice sounds fantastic," she said, going to the cabinet for some bowls.

"I'm going to kill him," Josh grumbled.

"Come on," Lizzy said. "We were wanting to go to your room anyways."

"Don't make a mess," Josh called out to his brother as he followed Lizzy to his bedroom.

"Yes, Dad," Jon called back.

Allison laughed. "Right Jon, no messes now."

"We wouldn't want to get in trouble would we?" he asked handing her a glass of juice. "Have I told you how good you look in my shirt?"

"Yes," she said, leaning over to kiss him. "But I like hearing it."

*** *** ***

Allison had come to Chiaki and Toshio's place with the rest of her family to welcome her sister back from her honeymoon. She would be glad to see them both, but wanted to talk to her sister about what had happened the night of the wedding. Julie was sitting next to her talking to Nick about some things for their own wedding.

"I'm not saying the dress isn't important, Jules," Nick said grinning at his fiancée. "But I really do think the more important decision is where we want to spend the honeymoon."

"I thought we'd decided to go to Greece," Julie said. "Neither of us has ever been there...."

"But maybe we should go somewhere that we won't care so much about sightseeing," Nick said devilishly.

"Nick!" Julie said elbowing him. She looked at Allison. "Forgive him for having a one-track mind, Allie."

"It's okay," Allison blushed. "I'm used to hearing it by now," she grinned at them both.

"What's my cousin up to tonight?" Nick asked her. "Uncle Ron says the two of you are practically joined at the hip these days."

Allison smiled. "He's over at the Quidditch shop looking at new brooms. He's looking into becoming a private flying instructor so he wants to have the best and fastest racing broom."

"That would certainly be more entertaining than looking at honeymoon photos," Nick said. He looked at his watch. He smiled dramatically at Julie and affected a feminine voice. "Look! There's Toshio and me on a beach. There's Toshio surfing. There's me snorkelling...."

"Sod off you," Julie hit his arm. "Is this what you're going to be like when we go on ours?"

"Probably," Nick said. "But I doubt we even step foot out of our room..."

Ethan, who was sitting beside Harry and Hermione, looked up at his mother. "Mummy? Why do they call it a honeymoon?"

Hermione looked at Harry. "Want to take this one?" she asked.

Harry shook his head. "You go right ahead, Minister."

"Well it's just a fancy word for a special holiday a man and woman take right after they're married," Hermione explained.

"You'll take it when you and Maddie get married," Frankie teased Ethan.

"I am NOT getting married," Ethan glared at her. "Ever!"

Neville laughed. "That's what we all said at one time, too. But look at us now. It happens to the best of us, Ethan."

Ethan shook his head. "Girls are gross."

Hermione put an arm around her son. "Need I remind you that your sister and I are girls, too? Are we gross?"

"Well," Ethan said. "You're my mum and Julie's my sister. So you two are okay."

"What about Kiki?" Julie asked him.

"Her too," Ethan replied. "But I don't like any girls my age and I don't like Maddie! Not that way! Her pixie is cool though."

"Dolly's a girl," Frankie pointed out.

"But she's not a REAL girl," Ethan said exasperatedly. "And Saffron's cool but that's it!"

"Leave the boy alone," Cho said getting to her feet. "Allie, you want to help me get some more refreshments? I don't think I can carry it all out by myself."

"Sure Mum," Allison said, getting up.

"It sure will be nice to have Chi back, won't it?" Cho asked over her shoulder as she led Allison into the kitchen. "It's been awfully quiet without her around."

"Yeah it has," Allison replied. "But I'm sure she and Tosh had a great time."

Cho nodded and began refilling a tray with vegetables. "It's a good thing Ron Weasley's not here. He'd eat Chiaki out of house and home."

Allison smiled. "They couldn't make it?"

"No," Cho said frowning. "Ron had some big sale at one of the shops and they couldn't get away."

"Oh," Allison arranged another tray with pastries and thought of her boyfriend, a smile tugging at her mouth.

"What's that look for?" Cho asked grinning at her daughter.

"What look?" Allison asked as innocently as possible.

Cho laughed. "I remember being young and in love..."

"Mum!" Allison said. "Don't let Dad hear you!"

"Allie," Cho said. "I think your dad knows that you're in love with Jon. You spend all your time with him, don't you?"

"As much as I can," Allison replied. "But I know he thinks we're too serious."

"Yes, he does," Cho admitted. "But he's a typical father, Allie. His heart is in the right place. He just doesn't want you getting hurt."

"I won't," Allison said softly. "Jon feels the same way about me."

"I know he does," Cho said smiling at her daughter as she picked up on the trays. "We better get this out there before the masses go spare."

"Right," Allison replied.

"Mum," Frankie said helping herself to a pastry before Cho could even put the tray down. "Did I mention that I only have two more years left until I date? Well, not really two years. It's more like a year, seven months and 23 days..."

Allison rolled her eyes and was about to retort when the fireplace whooshed to life and her sister and new brother in law stepped into the sitting room. "Welcome back!"

"I didn't realise all of you were going to be here!" Chiaki exclaimed. "This is great!"

"How was the honeymoon?" Julie asked with a grin as they exchanged hugs.

"Did you buy me anything?" Nick asked impishly, giving his half sister a kiss on the cheek.

"One question at a time," Chiaki said with a laugh. "Yes, Jules. The honeymoon was fantastic. And no, Nicholas...I didn't buy you one thing. As hard as this may be for you to believe, you were the furthest thing on my mind while I was gone."

Julie laughed at his expression. "Sorry love," she said, hugging him. "We're not important enough. I suppose we'll be the same way."

"What about me?" Frankie asked pushing her way through. "Did you bring me anything?"

"Yes I brought you something," Chiaki gave her youngest sister a hug. "Oh Nick I was kidding!" she said when he made a face at her. "I got you a little something. I just wanted to see what you'd say before."

Nick glared at her. "A little something? Like what?"

"You'll see," Chiaki grinned at him.

Nick smiled and stood back so Neville and Cho could welcome their daughter and son-in-law home.

"Dad!" Chiaki said, giving him a hug. "Did you miss me?"

"More than you know sweetheart," Neville hugged her tightly.

"I have loads to tell you," Chiaki said. "We had such a great time. Toshio couldn't quite get the hang of surfing. I took so many pictures. There's one where he..."

"She's telling everyone this story," Toshio interjected with a groan. "She told everyone at the hotel. These people at a party we went to..."

"It's a funny story," Chiaki glared at her husband.

Toshio scoffed. "Yeah, if it didn't happen to you, it's funny."

Neville grinned. "Wipe out did you?" he asked.

Chiaki giggled. "Not only did he wipe out, Dad...he thought the fin on his surfboard was a shark. You should have seen him flailing about...." her voice trailed off as she collapsed into a fit of laughter.

"Ha, ha," Toshio said but he was grinning. "Yeah I suppose it was pretty funny."

"Did you try it too, Chiaki?" Hermione asked. "I remember on my honeymoon Harry tried to get me to do it, but I couldn't..."

"No," Chiaki shook her head. "I was perfectly fine sitting on the beach."

"You're so tan!" Frankie said enviously.

Chiaki laughed and hugged her sister again. "I missed you guys a lot," she said.

"We missed you too," Cho said smiling at her daughter. "Look at you...married."

"Happily married," Chiaki grinned widely.

"Ah," Harry teased Toshio. "The honeymoon stage. Where she thinks you can do no wrong..."

"It ends pretty fast," Hermione replied, giving her husband a nudge.

"After you leave the toilet seat up one too many times," Harry countered with a wink. "Or you leave the toothpaste cap off..."

"Or never make the bed," Hermione contributed.

"Hey, stop it or I'm going to be too scared to get married next year," Julie teased.

"Gryffindors are never scared," Ethan said before sitting back down and grabbing a pastry.

"That's right Ethan," Harry sat down next to his son.

"Hey Chi," Allison said, hugging her.

"There you are," Chiaki said hugging her back. She pulled away and looked at Allison. There was something quite different about her, but Chiaki couldn't put her finger on it. "You look like you need to talk to me..."

"I do," Allison nodded. "You and Julie."

Chiaki nodded. "Why don't you and Julie come back to my bedroom. We'll just tell everyone you're helping me unpack."

"Okay," Allison agreed as Chiaki signalled to Julie and the three of them went to the bedroom.

"What's up?" Julie asked, locking the door behind them.

"Well I wanted to talk to both of you," Allison replied.

"About...?" Julie asked. All evening long, Allison had looked as if she wanted to tell her something and now it seemed she was going to find out what exactly.

"Well..." Allison fidgeted with the cover on the bed. "The night of the wedding, you know how I went back to Jon's place?" her face turned bright red as she recalled that night. "Well we... we um..."

Julie and Chiaki exchanged knowing looks.

"You did do what I told you, right?" Julie asked. "The spell..."

Allison nodded. "When I was in the loo at the wedding... I had a thought that things might go that way," she couldn't stop the smile from appearing.

Julie smiled back at her. "You and little Jon Weasley."

Allison laughed. "You make it sound like we're about five Jules."

"I'm sorry," Julie said quickly patting her on the arm. "I'm only teasing you."

"It's okay Jules," Allison replied. "I feel different now, you know? Is that what it was like for you both as well?"

Chiaki nodded. "Yeah, I didn't know why I felt different, but I did. It's a bit strange really. I was the same person I was before, but I just felt more like...a woman...you know?"

"That's how it is," Julie smiled at the younger girl. "And I'm going to assume that your parents don't know anything?"

"I came close to telling Mum a couple of times," Allison admitted. "But I just couldn't..."

"So have you and Jon...you know," Chiaki said. "Since then?"

Allison nodded. "We did again the other night. I keep hoping Mum and Dad will believe me when I say I'm staying at Lizzy's."

"I'm happy for you," Chiaki said, hugging her sister. "But promise me you'll be careful, Allie."

"I am," Allison said. "Jon was so sweet. He wanted to be sure I was ready."

"Awwww," Julie gushed. "Nick was the same way with me, too."

Chiaki smiled. "I had to make sure Toshio was ready," she laughed.

Allison giggled. "Really?"

"I've been the aggressor in our relationship, except for him proposing," Chiaki replied.

"That's true," Julie said. "She asked him out first. She kissed him first. She picked where they went on their first date. I'm surprised she lets him lead when they dance..."

Allison laughed. "Jon's pretty good on letting me pick out where we're going to go on a date." she said. "I'm so glad he's back in London."

"Sneaking around from here to Dublin might be a bit hard," Chiaki joked.

"Just a bit," Allison replied. "I just wish Dad would warm up to him. We've been together over a year now and Dad won't let up."

"We're his little girls," Chiaki explained sitting down beside her sister. "He was the same way with Toshio and me, Allie. He'll be that way with Frankie, too. Don't be too hard on Dad. We're really lucky we have him."

"Yeah but I wish he'd realise that Jon is a great guy," Allison said. "Instead he almost always grills him and gives him dirty looks."

"My Grandpa Robert did the same thing with my Dad," Julie said encouragingly. "And now he and my dad are really tight. You know what you should do? Invite Jon to the house more often so he and your dad can find some sort of common ground."

"You think that will help?" Allison asked, perking up.

"I think so," Julie said smiling at her. "I mean Jon's not some total stranger here, right? Your dad and his dad are best friends. And you and Jon have known each other since you were babies...."

A knock on the door startled all three girls.

"What are you doing in there?" Frankie called out. She tried the door. "Why is it locked?"

Chiaki opened the door. "We were just unpacking," she told her youngest sister.

"Your suitcase isn't even opened," Frankie said folding her arms.

"We haven't started yet," Chiaki said smoothly.

"But you've been in here a long time," Frankie pouted. "You were talking about boys, weren't you?"

"Yes," Allison answered. "And since you can't date yet--"

"That doesn't mean I can't talk about boys," Frankie said stomping off. "MUM! DAD! ALLIE'S TALKING ABOUT JON AGAIN!"

Allison growled in frustration. "I'm going to kill her!"

"She just feels left out," Chiaki said, but she could certainly understand the way Allison was feeling. "Come on. Let's go do some damage control."

"Okay," Allison grumbled. "I'm still going to kill her though."

As they made their way back into the sitting room, Frankie grinned triumphantly at Allison.

Allison narrowed her eyes right back.

"I was thinking that I'd make dinner for all of us tomorrow evening," Neville said breaking the uncomfortable silence. "We haven't had a family night in quite some time and now that we have a new member of the family, I think we should welcome him properly..."

"But," Allison started to protest. "I sort of had plans, Dad..."

Chiaki put a hand on her sister's shoulder. "How about Jon comes over for dinner as well?" she interrupted.

Allison nodded and smiled. "Can he, Dad?"

"Well... sure." Neville replied. "Guess I should get to know him better aye?" he smiled at Allison.

"But..." Frankie started. "You just said--"

Allison beamed back at her father and hugged him. "Thank you, Daddy!"

"Leave it, Frankie," Chiaki hissed in her sister's ear.

"You're welcome love," Neville said, glad to see his daughter so happy.

"I can't wait to tell him," Allison said with a wide grin.

Cho smiled approvingly at her husband.

"And you'd better not be caught spying on them Francesca," Chiaki whispered.

"He's not really part of our family," Frankie said, but no one paid attention to her. "And Daddy said it was for family only..."

Chiaki gripped her arm tightly. "What was that?"

"Nothing," Frankie said quickly. "I think I'll um, go and help Toshio in the kitchen..."

"Right," Chiaki relaxed as she got up and ran out of the room. "Honestly."

Julie laughed. "She wants to date so bad it's practically coming out her ears." she leaned back against Nick, who wound his arms around her waist.

"I pity the poor bloke who has to deal with her," Allison said.

Neville shook his head. "You got lucky Allison," he said. "If it wasn't Jon Weasley you still wouldn't be dating."

"Dad," Allison said. "I'll be seventeen in a few months."

"Which is too young, in my opinion," Neville said.

"Mum was dating Uncle Harry when she was my age," Allison said trying not to get angry with her father when things were now possibly going well.

"That's right," Harry laughed. "I'd forgotten all about that."

"Gee thanks," Cho said pretending to be affronted. "Glad our time together was so memorable."

"The whole three dates we had?" Harry asked. "You know, I think my wife put a memory charm on me so I'd forget about all other girlfriends." he laughed. "Ouch!" he said as Hermione jabbed his side with her elbow.

"You're not funny," Hermione said shaking her head.

"Everyone else was laughing," Harry gave her a wounded expression.

"Don't use that one Dad," Ethan shook his head. "I tried it the other day and it didn't work anymore."

Hermione couldn't help joining in on the laughter at this remark. "You are your father's son, Ethan James."

"That's right," Harry clapped his son's shoulder. "The world wanted another one of me."

Cho rolled her eyes. "The world could barely handle one of you."

Harry gave her a boastful grin.

"And besides," Neville said looking at his daughter who was still scowling at him. "You'll be back at school soon, Allison. You won't have time to date. You have to keep your marks up."

"Right Dad," Allison replied. "Besides the fact that Jon's not there this year."

"I didn't say anything about that," Neville said, but he had certainly been thinking it.

"I can tell what's on your mind," Allison said. "You'd really like Jon if you just gave him a chance. You liked him just fine before we were together."

"He's too old for you, Allison," Neville said softly trying to reason with her. "He has his own place now and he's getting a job, and you're still in school. Long distance relationships very rarely work out..."

"Neville," Cho warned.

"Jon and I will make everything work," Allison said, crossing her arms. "I know we will."

"Dad," Chiaki said trying to play peacemaker. "How about you come with me and I'll show you what I brought you from Hawaii."

"In a minute Chiaki," Neville said. "Allison you talk like the two of you are going to be married by the end of the year."

"Would that be so terrible?" Allison heard herself retort before she could stop herself.

Neville stared at her. "You are NOT getting married," he said.

"Of course she isn't," Cho said putting a hand on his arm. "She and Jon are just dating, Neville. Come on..."

"I know you hate the fact that I'm growing up," Allison said, tears in her eyes. "But Dad you need to accept the fact that I AM old enough to make decisions for myself. I love Jon and he loves me okay? I could have made a much worse decision in finding someone but I think I did a pretty good job. I just wish you could see that too." Chiaki put an arm around her sister as Harry, Hermione and Ethan excused themselves and went into the kitchen with Frankie and Toshio.

"Love?" Neville asked her. "Allison, you're 16 years old..."

"So what?" Allison asked bitterly. "I know how I feel."

"Look," Cho said stepping between them. "This is Chiaki's homecoming, okay? Can we please not get into this now? Allison, Jon is welcome to come to dinner tomorrow evening and we'll be happy to have him in our home. Right, Neville?"

Neville must have looked like he was going to argue for Cho gave him an extremely dirty look. "Right," he muttered.

"Okay," Cho said tersely.

Allison stood up and brushed the tears from her eyes. "This might be harder than I thought Chi," she said softly to her sister.

Chiaki wished she could say something to make Allison feel better, but she had a feeling that her sister was right.

17. Chapter 17

Authors’ note: Sorry for not updating this last night. We both were busy writing and it got late and it sort of slipped both our minds! We hope that you like this chapter. We did get a chance to respond to reviews last time so hopefully that makes up for the tardy chapter. If you do read, we ask that you take a few seconds to let us know what you think. In our delusional minds, we thrive on reviews.

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

Cho was slicing garlic bread in the kitchen while Neville hovered over the stove cooking spaghetti. Slicing bread was the only cooking chore Neville seemed to trust her with even thought her culinary skills had improved somewhat in the years they'd been married.

Fromthe dining room, Cho could hear her middle daughter arguing with Frankie about setting the table.

"You do promise to be nice, don't you?" Cho asked in a hushed tone to her husband. "This means a lot to Allie."

"I said I would," Neville replied.

"Good," Cho said smiling at him. "Because if you do, you'll be rewarded later tonight..."

Neville smiled at her. "Is that a promise," he asked, leaving the spaghetti for a moment.

"Definitely," she said kissing him. "So you should be on your best behaviour."

"Right," he gave her another kiss. "I'll try. But I can't help feeling uncomfortable with this."

Cho rolled her eyes. "Why? Allie and Jon have been together for almost two years."

"That's not the point," Neville replied. "I still think she's too young for this sort of relationship. Now she's going on about being in love."

"They're just going out," Cho told him. "Allie's a responsible girl."

"I realise that," Neville replied. "But you were there at Chiaki's when she said she and Jon are in love. When people are in love they do things they wouldn't normally do."

"They do, but Allie's a good girl," Cho argued. "And I trust her."

Neville nodded. "I do too but..." he sighed as he stirred the spaghetti again. "I won't get into this now."

"Neville," Cho started, but she could tell talking about it more would only get him upset and that was the last thing they needed.

"Chiaki's here!" Frankie sang out making a run for the door.

Allison grinned as her sister came in with Toshio. "Hey you guys," she said.

"Hi, Allie," Chiaki said hugging her sister. "How you holding up?"

"I'm fine," she replied.

"It's going to be great," Chiaki said reassuringly.

"Yeah, Allie," Toshio said squeezing her shoulder. "If I can make it through the family dinner, I think Jon will, too."

"I hope so," Allison answered as their doorbell rang again. "Ooh he's here." she raced towards the front door.

Jon smiled at her as she opened the door. "I don't think I was this nervous when I took my NEWTs."

"It's okay," she said, smiling at him. "I'm glad you're here."

"So am I," he said kissing her on the forehead. He wanted to kiss her properly, but figured this wasn't the place. She looked so beautiful in her pale pink dress that hugged her curves.

"I came straight from work," he apologised. "Uncle Fred kept teasing me about tonight."

"I bet he did," she replied. "They seem to enjoy that sort of thing don't they?" Allison giggled as they went into the sitting room.

"Alright Jon?" Chiaki asked smiling at him. She could tell he was nervous and she wished she could tell him that he didn't have anything to worry about.

"Yes," Jon nodded. "Thanks for having me over."

"It's our pleasure," Cho said smiling reassuringly at him.

Jon sat down on the sofa next to his girlfriend, making sure there was at least an inch between them.

"Something smells really good," Jon said.

"Dad made his world famous spaghetti," Allie said.

"And it's almost ready," Neville said, joining them. "Hello Toshio, hello Jonathan."

"Mr. Longbottom," Jon said with a nervous smile. He stood up to shake his hand.

"How are you?" Neville asked.

"I'm good," Jon said. "I-I really appreciate you inviting me over. It's not like I've not eaten with your family before, of course, but you know I was...I-I think I'll just be quiet now."

Neville smiled at him and sat next to his wife. "How are the newlyweds?" he focused his attention on Toshio and Chiaki.

"Blissfully happy," Chiaki said dreamily.

"As newlyweds should be," Cho grinned at her daughter.

"She's not even getting upset at the things I usually do that annoy her," Toshio said with a laugh.

"Like what?" Neville asked, laughing as well.

"I drank out of the orange juice carton this morning," Toshio admitted. "She hates that. But this morning, she just told me how adorable I was..."

Everyone laughed as Chiaki gave her husband a kiss.

"He'll probably be getting on my nerves again soon, but right now I love every single thing about him," Chiaki gushed.

"Have I mentioned that I have--," Frankie broke in.

"Francesca," Cho said smiling at her youngest daughter. "We know all about the countdown, sweetheart. You don't have to remind us every hour."

"Fine," Frankie crossed her arms and sat back on the sofa.

"Allie?" Chiaki asked. "Are you excited about your last year at Hogwarts?"

Allison nodded. "It'll be fun to be a seventh year," she said, leaning against Jon.

"I'm going to miss her," Jon said softly. "I've kind of gotten used to having her around."

Allison grinned at him. "Me too," she agreed.

"Allison won't have much free time," Neville said coolly. "She'll have to really apply herself this year."

Allison looked back at her father. "My grades have been fine Dad," she said. "I'm near the top of the class."

"She certainly helped me out," Jon said squeezing Allison's hand. "I don't think I'd have done so well last year if she'd not helped me out like she did."

"Yes well you'll have to work extra hard if you want to be the number one," Neville frowned at them.

"Dad, Lizzy's on top of our whole class and I don't think anyone's getting past her," Allison replied. "She's super smart- that's why she's a Ravenclaw."

"Maybe if you didn't have as many distractions," Neville said pointedly looking at Jon. "You'd do much better."

"Dad," Allison knew what he was getting at. "I do just fine."

"She does, sir," Jon said. This wasn't going well at all. "Allie and I spent most of our time together last year studying in the common room."

Frankie laughed, earning a glare from her two sisters.

"I see," Neville replied. "I think I'd better check on dinner."

Cho went with him and Chiaki looked at Frankie. "Way to go, Frankie."

"I'm sorry!" Frankie said. "I didn't realise I was saying something I shouldn't!"

"It's not what you said," Allison hissed. "Why did you have to laugh like that after what Jon said. Thanks to you Dad probably thinks Jon and I made out every night in the common room."

"Fine how about I just not say a word the rest of the night then?" Frankie retorted. "Like you two are doing so much better."

"We'd do just fine if you'd keep your mouth shut," Allison said hotly.

"Dinner's ready," Cho called out to them.

Allison squeezed her boyfriend's hand. "It's going to be fine Jon. Just let my dad take the lead in conversation."

"Right," Jon said forcing a smile.

Allison gave him a quick kiss on the lips. "For luck," she whispered. "I love you."

"I love you," he whispered back.

"Okay," she squeezed his hand as they went into the kitchen and sat down next to each other.

"How are Ron and Luna?" Cho asked Jon. "I hate that they couldn't join us last night at Chiaki's."

"They're good," Jon said. "My mum's starting on another book so that takes up a great deal of her time."

"She's such a great writer," Chiaki said. "We still have that old article she wrote about Uncle Harry and Aunt Hermione."

"We're all really proud of her," Jon said. "But she's always stopping by the flat or sending us owls to check on us, too. And Nana's always sending food over for Josh and me. I think she's afraid we'll go hungry."

"Has she made you any of those fantastic chocolate and peanut butter biscuits lately?" Allison asked.

Jon nodded. "And I managed to hide some away for you. If I hadn't, Josh would have eaten them all."

Allison grinned. "You are the best."

"I've got to look out for my girl," Jon said squeezing her hand under the table.

Neville grunted. "Jonathan, what are you doing now that you're out of school?"

"I-um, well I'm working with my uncles for now," Jon stammered. He suddenly felt as if he was being interrogated. "But what I really want to do is teach flying."

"Do you?" Neville actually seemed interested. "Flying teacher as in something like Hogwarts or more private lessons?"

"Either or," Jon replied. "At this point, I'd take anything."

"I see," Neville took another helping of spaghetti.

"But you know, I'm still young," Jon continued. "I want to keep my options open."

"That sounds like a good idea," Cho smiled at him.

"I suppose," Neville interjected. "But if you plan on making any sort of future for yourself then you should find something steady."

"I'm only 17, Mr. Longbottom," Jon said and from the look on his face, he knew that this was the wrong thing to say. "I, um, well I have loads of time to find what I want to do."

Neville opened his mouth to retort but closed it when he saw the look on his wife's face.

"Dad Jon will find something," Allison was growing upset. "He's very smart and has lots of talents."

"It's okay, Allie," Jon said trying not to get upset himself. Everything he seemed to say was wrong.

Toshio gave him a sympathetic glance. "It's too bad you're not a dancer," he tried to tease and lighten the atmosphere.

"Yeah," Jon said with a laugh, thankful for Toshio's attempt to make things better. "I'm not that bad at parties and weddings, but it isn't something I'd take up for a living."

"I remember when Luna tried to get you and Josh in for lessons," Cho laughed. "I think you were about what, four, five?"

"I don't remember," Jon said grinning at her. "I think I may have tried to block that out."

"I'm sure you weren't that bad," Allison giggled.

"He was sort of a goof off even then, wasn't he?" Neville asked Cho.

"Dad!" Chiaki exclaimed as a hush fell over the table.

Jon's face turned bright red as he stared down at the table.

"What?" Neville asked innocently. "Ron and Luna talked about how he never wanted to do his homework. How he used to skive off lessons at school."

"I'm past all that," Jon said quietly. "That was earlier on when I was at Hogwarts."

"Some people have a harder time applying themselves is all," Neville commented.

Jon didn't see how he could sit here anymore and take this. "I, um, I'm sorry, but I think I should go."

"No, Jon." Allison said. "Please don't leave."

"I'm not very hungry, Al," Jon said apologetically. "I'll talk to you later, okay?" He stood up. "Thank you for inviting me..."

"But Jon..." Allison protested.

"I'm sorry," he said leaning down and kissing her cheek before walking out of the room. A few moments later, they heard the front door shut behind him.

"How could you do that?" Allison cried. "How could you say those things to him?"

"I didn't say anything out of sorts to him," Neville said. "That boy has no ambition, Allison. I'm just glad that he's not going to be at Hogwarts this year so you'll..."

"I'll be FINE!" Allison snapped. "He has PLENTY of ambition and you would know that if you took one minute to talk to him and not ridicule his past ways."

"Allison..." Cho said trying to calm her daughter. "Sweetheart, your father shouldn't have said those things...."

"I don't apologise for what I said," Neville said pushing back from his chair. "If you'll excuse me, I'm not all that hungry either..."

"I'm not either," Allison pushed her plate away. "Mum is it okay if I go to Lizzy's tonight? I don't want to stay here." she cast her father an angry glare.

"Sure," Cho replied. "Go on ahead, love."

"Thank you," Allison brushed past Neville and ran to her bedroom.

"Dad, that was out of line," Chiaki said crossing her arms.

"I don't think so," Neville replied. "He's a goof and he's not good enough for Allie. Not at all."

Chiaki just shook her head. "You know what? I'm not hungry anymore, either. Come on, Tosh. Let's go home."

"Right love," Toshio kept quiet as he got up.

"Can I stay at your house tonight?" Frankie asked.

"Sure," Chiaki said with a smile at her younger sister. "Let's go and pack you a bag."

"Okay," Frankie replied. "Is that okay Mum?"

"Yes," Cho said. "If it's okay with your sister, it's okay with me. In fact, I wish I could go with you."

"Very funny Cho," Neville replied coolly.

"Are you happy now?" Cho asked him when they were alone. "You managed to run off all three of our daughters. How could you say those things to Jon, Neville?"

"Because I think they're true," Neville snapped. "And before you start on that bullshit about him being our friend's son that's the only reason I let them go out in the first place! He's not the one for her and you know it."

"That's not for us to decide," Cho retorted as the front door slammed. "Like it or not, Neville. She loves him. He loves her. I know it's hard to see her grow up, but she's a good girl, Neville. She's not going to do anything or let someone talk her into something she isn't ready for. We raised her better than that. You really hurt her tonight and Jon, too. I-I can't look at you right now..."

With that, she brushed past him and went upstairs.

"Cho," Neville raced after her. "I only want what's best for her."

"After tonight, I'm not so sure," Cho said icily, closing the bedroom door behind her.

Neville tried to open it but she'd locked it and his wand was inside on the nightstand. "Cho open the door." he knocked.

"Good night, Neville," she said turning off the lamp and lying down on the bed.

Neville scoffed. "You know I'm right."

"I hope that being right keeps you warm tonight on the sofa," Cho retorted.

"Let me in Cho," Neville said. "I want to talk to you about this and I'm not doing it from out here."

Cho sighed and got to her feet. She opened the door.

"Okay..."

Neville stepped inside. "Thank you," he said, grabbing his wand and putting it in his pocket.

"Do you even care that she ran out of here in tears, Neville?" Cho asked him.

"Of course I do," Neville said. "I can't help it though. It's an intuition. I just don't think he's right for her."

"Neville, they're not bloody getting married!" Cho said. "They're just two teenagers dating. They're doing what two kids do---they go out, they snog. Allison's not doing anything wrong, Neville."

Neville shook his head. "She's too serious for her age."

"If you keep this up, you're going to alienate her, Neville," Cho said her tone much softer. "She's going to think that we don't trust her or value her opinion. Have a little faith in her. That's all I'm asking."

He sighed. "I just hate seeing her grown up Cho. It was hard for me when Chiaki started dating too."

"You were never this bad with Toshio or any of her boyfriends," Cho argued.

"I wasn't?" Neville asked.

"You certainly never openly insulted them at the dinner table," Cho replied.

"I was a bit out of line wasn't I?" Neville asked after a few minutes.

"Yes," Cho said, glad that he was finally seeing the light. "And I think you should go and see him tomorrow morning and apologise."

"I can't," Neville replied. "I have to be at the office early tomorrow." he got up. "Maybe I'll Floo over right now."

"Let's clean up the kitchen first," Cho said kissing him on the cheek. "And then you can go clean up the mess you made with Jon."

"Okay," Neville smiled at her. "You're the only one that I listen to sometimes you know that?"

"It's a curse and a blessing," she said taking his hand and leading him back downstairs.

**********

Jon hadn't been home five minutes when Allison had knocked on his door. He'd been set to apologise for walking out when he'd seen the tears in her eyes.

"It's okay, Al," Jon said hugging her to him. "It'll be okay."

"He was so horrible," Allison buried her face in his shoulder. "I don't know why he's doing this."

"I was a bit of a goof off," he admitted. "Until a certain someone came along..."

"Right," Allison smiled tearfully up at him. "And they say guys don't change."

"I'm glad you're here," he said wiping a tear from her cheek. He leaned in and kissed her softly. "I wanted to do that when I walked in your house. You look amazing, Allie. You always do."

"Thank you Jon," she said, kissing him back. "I don't know why he can't see how much I love you."

"He will," Jon said. "He just needs time is all. And I'm not going anywhere. Are you?"

"No way," Allison said.

"Can you stay tonight?" he asked her, before kissing her again. "We have the place all to ourselves. Josh is with Lizzy."

"I planned on it," Allison replied, her arms around his neck. "Told my parents I was going to Lizzy's which basically means I'm here."

"I should really thank Anna and Luke for letting her have their old place," Jon said with a laugh.

"Right," Allison replied. "And I bet they don't care that Josh spends the night all the time."

"They don't know," Jon said. "At least I don't think they do..."

Allison sat down on the sofa in front of the fireplace. "I don't understand any of this," she said.

Jon sat down beside her. He wrapped her up in his arms. "I don't either. I've known your dad forever, Allie. He liked me until you and I started dating. I'm the same person I always was."

"I know you are," Allison replied. "That's why I don't understand this. It's not as if I picked some idiot off the street. It's you Jon."

"I'm just the idiot you've known all your life," he joked, trying to make her smile. "The same idiot who used to make a fool out of himself so you'd notice him."

Allison kissed him. "You're my favourite idiot in the whole world," she said softly. "And the only idiot I ever want to be with."

Jon laughed. "That's the sweetest thing anyone has ever said to me."

Allison smiled back at him. "I love you Jon."

"I love you," he whispered running his hands through her hair. "I can't wait until you can move in here with me."

"I'm counting down the days," she said, leaning in so her forehead touched his.

"And I've asked for the weekend of your birthday off," Jon said softly. "We'll do whatever you want to do. Hopefully, it will fall on a Hogsmeade weekend, but if it doesn't...I'll find someway to be with you on that day."

"I hope so too," Allison replied as he pulled her hair out of its ponytail.

His hand brushed her cheek. "You're the best thing in my life, Allie. I hope you know that."

"You're the best thing in mine," she whispered.

He gently pulled the straps of her dress down and kissed one shoulder and then the other.

Allison helped him pull the dress off and he tossed it to the floor, his shirt flying on top of it. He started a fire in the fireplace even though it was already quite warm in the room.

They fell back onto the sofa as Jon kissed her. "Allie, I need you....so much."

"I need you too," she said as he pulled away and attacked her neck with his lips.

Light from the fire illuminated her skin and her eyes and Jon didn't remembered when he'd ever seen her look more beautiful than she did at that moment.

"Kiss me," she said, running her hands over his bare shoulders.

Jon smiled down at her and then kissed her as she'd asked.

Soon enough they were naked underneath the blanket that Jon pulled off the back of the sofa. Allison was glad that Josh was down in Lizzy's apartment for then she didn't have to worry about keeping her cries quiet.

"Allie," he murmured as he kissed her and she ran her fingers up and down his back, pulling him closer, deeper.

"Jon," she purred. "Harder...”

Jon didn't know what it was, but he couldn't get enough of her. He pressed further into her.

"Ohhh..." she breathed. "Jon..."

Jon let out a deep, guttural moan and collapsed against Allison, emotionally and physically spent.

She was panting, her whole body slick with sweat as she clung to her boyfriend. "That was..."

"Unbelievable," Jon whispered kissing her forehead.

"Yeah," Allison replied, seeking out his lips. "Sometimes I can't believe how much I love you."

Jon smiled as she rested her head on his chest. "I feel the same way about you and then I can't believe that you love me back."

"Well I do," Allison said as he stroked her hair. "It's just such a... big feeling. Like there's so much of it you know?"

"I do know," he said. He laughed. "Do you know what's funny? We knew each other for such a long time. And you probably don't remember this, Al, but I will never forget it. Do you remember your first night at Hogwarts? When you were sorted?"

"Vaguely," Allison replied. "I just remember being terrified sitting in front of the whole school. And I kept wishing the whole time that I'd get put in Gryffindor."

"And you walked up there and sat down and I looked at you. I don't know. It was almost like I was seeing you for the first time. And you saw me and you smiled. You were the first girl I actually thought was pretty."

"I was?" Allison grinned- she knew this already but she liked hearing it from him.

"Yes," he said turning a bit red. "And I didn't know how to act around you after that. And then after my fourth year, do you remember when we all said goodbye at Kings' Cross?"

"Yeah," Allison said. "It was the first time you guys would leave for Ireland instead of just staying there in London with the rest of us."

"You have Josh a hug and then you gave me one," Jon said. "And I don't know what it was but you were all I could think about that summer."

Allison laughed. "I had that effect on you," she teased.

"Which is why I came back to school being an obnoxious arse whenever you were around," he said with a laugh.

"An obnoxious arse that completely won me over," Allison said softly.

"Finally," Jon teased.

"Hey," Allison grinned. "You know I didn't realise that you were doing all that because you fancied me."

"Yeah," Jon said smiling shyly at her. "I never in a million years thought you'd fancy me, too."

"Well... I didn't until we got to Hillsdale." Allison replied, turning a bit red. "You were just being so sweet and attentive... I couldn't help falling in love." she gave him a little kiss.

"Well being obnoxious and loud wasn't really working for me before, was it?" he asked with a laugh.

"Well I definitely noticed you," Allison giggled. "But I didn't think you were doing all that because you fancied me."

"And you fancied Josh at the time," he said tickling her side to let her know that he didn't feel any insecurity over that now.

"Right," she laughed. "That seems like such a long time ago."

"It was," Jon said. "And now you're with me and that's all that matters, Allie."

She smiled at him. "That's right," she replied softly.

Jon pulled an arm protectively around her and felt himself drifting off to sleep.

Allison was also almost asleep when she heard a loud angry voice cut into her dreams.

"ALLISON CATHERINE LONGBOTTOM!" Neville's voice boomed, startling both Jon and Allison awake.

"Dad?" Allison blinked. "What... what are you doing here?"

"I imagine I could ask the same of you," Neville said dusting himself off. "I thought you were staying at Lizzy's."

"It's not what you think, Mr. Longbottom," Jon started to explain, holding Allison down because they were both naked under the blanket.

"Oh it's not?" Neville snapped. "Get out from under there Allison."

"I can't," Allison said, her eyes darting around for her dress.

Jon tried to calm his girlfriend, but he was just as nervous. "Can you at least give us a few minutes, Mr. Longbottom...to get..."

Neville shook his head disgustedly and walked away.

"Oh no," Allison whispered with tears in her eyes.

"It'll be okay, Al," Jon said knowing he didn't sound convincing. "It'll be okay." He handed Allie her dress.

Allison pulled it on over her head and grabbed for the rubber band she'd used on her ponytail. Jon sat next to her and put his arm over her shoulders as Neville stalked back in.

"To think I actually came over here to apologise to you," Neville said glaring at him.

"Well..." Jon said nervously. "This would be bad if Allison and I didn't love each other but we do."

"Right," Neville said dismissively. "So I take it this isn't the first time you've been together like this, right? All those times we trusted you, Allison. All those times you said you were staying with Lizzy and this was where you were the entire time..."

"Dad," Allison said, tears in her eyes. "I know I didn't tell you the truth but--"

"But what Allison?" Neville interjected. "You want me to believe he's such a great bloke, eh? He's encouraged you to lie to your parents. You've been sneaking around..."

"That's not true, Mr. Longbottom," Jon interjected.

"I'm not sneaking around," Allison replied. "And Jon hasn't made me do anything, especially lie to you or Mum."

Neville just shook his head. "You never did any of this until you started seeing him, Allison."

"If you would only accept the fact that I'm with him I wouldn't have to do things like this!" Allison exclaimed. "You liked him fine before he and I got together and now that I told you we're in love you're holding this stupid grudge."

"I'm not holding a grudge," Neville said defensively. "Allison, you're 16 years old. That's way too young to be doing things like this. But, I don't hold you responsible for this. He took advantage of you..."

"Wait just a minute," Jon said getting to his feet. "I understand you're upset but it's not like that. If you'd just listen to us instead of getting angry, we could try and make you see."

"I don't see anything." Neville glared at the young man.

"Dad please stop this," Allison pleaded. "Jon hasn't taken advantage of me, not ever."

"He won't get the chance to again," Neville said. "Get your things, Allison. We're leaving."

"I'm not going anywhere," Allison replied defiantly.

"This isn't open for discussion," Neville said firmly. "You're coming home with me. And you're not to see Jon again."

Allison's eyes widened. "You can't stop us from being together." her voice shook.

"Mr. Longbottom, please," Jon implored him. "Don't do this."

"Please Daddy," Allison said.

"Get your things," Neville said shortly. He glared coldly at Jon. "You stay away from Allison Jonathan."

"I can't do that," Jon said. "I won't..."

"You will because you have no say in this," Neville said. "Allison, get your things. I'm not going to ask you again."

Allison realised that if she had any hope of turning him around, she'd better go with her father now. If anything, she'd at least have her mother on her side and she always been a calming influence on him.

"Yes, Dad," she said quietly slipping into her shoes.

Neville visibly relaxed as his daughter got her things together. "I don't want to see you around my house," he said coldly to Jon.

"Dad," Allison protested. "Please, don't do that. I'll go with you now, but don't do that..."

"Like I said, this is not open for discussion," Neville snapped. "I'm disappointed in you."

"She didn't do anything wrong," Jon argued. When Neville opened his mouth, Jon held up a hand. "I know we lied to you, but we...I don't know what on earth I can possibly say to make you understand."

"There is nothing," Neville replied. "You're a deceiver, Jonathan Weasley. You turned my daughter into a liar. We let you two date casually and this is what you both do." he shook his head. "You can consider this relationship over."

"He didn't turn me into anything, Dad!" Allison exclaimed.

"What do you call me finding you naked under the blankets with him?" Neville asked furiously.

"I call that being close to the person I love most in this world," Allison shot back at him. "You might not want to hear that, but that's the way it is. And I'm not going to stop seeing him. I don't care what you do or what you say. It's not going to change how we feel about each other."

"Out of sight out of mind," Neville replied with a wave of his hand. "You'll be back at school in a few weeks and Dumbledore will make sure that the two of you aren't in contact." he grabbed his daughter's arm. "We're leaving."

"Allie," Jon said reaching for her other hand. "I'll..."

"Don't you touch her," Neville snapped.

"Jon please," Allison said as tears fell from her eyes. "I'll find a way all right?"

"Okay," Jon relented, letting go of her. "I love you, Allie."

"I love you too Jon," Allison said as her father tossed floo powder into the fireplace.

"You first," Neville said, folding his arms.

"Fine," Allison said brushing past him.

Neville watched as his daughter disappeared into the flames and then cast Jon one last cold glare before doing the same. Once he tumbled out of his own fireplace back at home, he quickly cast a spell that would keep anyone from entering.

"MUM!" Allison called out. "MUM!"

Cho came hurrying downstairs. She'd been reading when she'd heard the commotion downstairs. "What's going on? I thought you were staying at Lizzy's?"

Neville turned as his wife came into the room. "Do you know where our daughter was?" he asked scornfully. "She was at Jonathan Weasley's flat. Would you like to know what she was doing as well?"

Cho put an arm around Allison who was crying uncontrollably now. "What? What is it, sweetheart?"

"She was having sex," Neville spat disgustedly. "Lying to us for who fucking knows how long now!"

"It wasn't like that, Mum," Allison said wiping the tears from her cheeks. "Dad's making it sound really dirty, but it's not like that..."

"Shagging on a sofa," Neville crossed his arms. "I've always thought we taught you better than that Allison."

"Allison," Cho said quietly. "Is this true? You and Jon have been..."

"It's not like you think!" Allison cried. "What we did wasn't dirty! Jon and I love each other and we're going to be together once I finish school!"

"You lied to us?" Cho asked. "I took up for you, Allison...and for Jon. This whole time you've been having sex? Sweetheart, you're way too young to be doing things like that."

"I'm almost seventeen," Allison replied, upset that her mother seemed to be taking the same stance as her father, albeit much more calmly.

Cho just shook her head. This whole thing brought back too many bad memories from what had happened with Draco. She'd been so stupid that one night and look at what had happened. The last thing she wanted for her daughter was something like that.

"You're not to see him again," Neville snapped. "Ever."

"Dad," Allison said. "You can't do that. Besides, you’re friends with his parents. How is it possible that I could never see him again?"

"I'll find a way," Neville replied. "I should have known better than to allow this in the first place."

“What do you expect me to do?” Allison retorted. “Lock myself in my room? Never go anywhere ever again?”

“That’s exactly what I expect,” Neville said. “You’re grounded until you go back to Hogwarts.”

A knock on the door interrupted the argument going on and Cho went to answer the door.

Jon knocked again- he could hear voices and he hoped they would let him in and not ignore him.

“Jon,” Cho sighed when she saw the young man. “This is not a good time.”

“I know, and I’m sorry,” Jon apologised. “But if you just hear me and Allie out, you would know that we—“

“What are you doing here?” Neville snarled. “Did I not tell you back at your place that you’re not welcome here anymore?”

“Dad stop it,” Allison said, tears in her eyes.

“I love your daughter,” Jon said firmly. “I’m not about to let her walk out of my life.”

“You have no choice in this matter,” Neville replied flatly.

Jon looked at Allison who gazed back at him sorrowfully. He wanted nothing more than to go comfort her but knew that would be the least wise of any decision he made at that moment. “Please, please let me talk to you both.” He pleaded.

“No,” Neville said. “Now get out before I have to throw you out.”

Cho retreated back into the sitting room to get Ron. Part of her wanted to hear Jon out and the other half wanted nothing more than to kick him to the curb like her husband wanted to. And as angry as she was at Jon, she was just as mad at her daughter as well.

“I love Allison,” Jon was saying. “More than anything else. We’re going to move in together once she graduates next year.”

“That’s right,” Allison inched towards her boyfriend.

“What is going on here?” Ron asked, following Cho into the foyer. “Jon what are you doing here?”

“Dad?” Jon asked.

Neville’s face screwed into a frown. “You and your son can get out of my house Weasley,” he snapped.

“Neville…” Ron looked baffled. “What is going on?”

“Ask your son,” Neville barked. “But he’s not coming near my daughter, ever again!”

“Please, Mr. Longbottom,” Jon said.

Ron followed his son into the sitting room, Allison and Cho behind him. “Will you sit down and tell me what the hell has you so worked up?”

“Your son is shagging my daughter!” Neville shouted angrily. “And he’s got her lying to her mother and I about where she is!”

“Dad Jon did NOT force me to lie!” Allison snapped.

“Bullshit,” Neville glared at them all.

“Jon, you and Allie are…” Ron’s jaw dropped. “Oh Merlin I’m going to be a grandfather. I’m too young to be a grandfather…”

“I’m not pregnant,” Allison said softly.

“We’ve been careful every time,” Jon said with a meaningful look at Neville.

“That’s not the point,” Neville snapped. “I want you both out. Ron, you and your son are no longer welcome here in my house.”

“Neville!” Cho said, shocked.

Ron’s mouth set in a grim line. “Fine.” He snapped. “Come on Jon.”

“Allie…” Jon went over to her as she got up but Neville pushed him away.

“Don’t you lay a hand on my son!” Ron shouted at Neville.

“Then get the hell out of here!” Neville yelled back.

Allison’s eyes were too filled with tears to see her boyfriend and his father Apparate out. With a stricken glare at her parents, she ran for her room and slammed the door behind her.

Jon kicked the edge of the sofa in his sitting room as his father sat down. “I just can’t believe this!” he said in frustration.

“Why didn’t you tell any of us about this?” Ron asked quietly. “And what even started all this?”

“I went over to the Longbottoms’ for dinner,” Jon replied, sitting down. “And while we were eating Allie’s dad kept taking shots at me.”

“About what?” Ron asked.

“About when I used to goof off in school,” Jon said. “But that was ages ago Dad. I haven’t done that since at least fourth year!”

“I know you haven’t,” Ron put a hand on Jon’s shoulder. “Your mother and I are very proud of you. You’ve really come a long way since then.”

“Thanks,” Jon managed a weak smile.

“Things will work out for the best,” Ron tried to be encouraging. “You’ll see, sooner or later.”

“I hope so,” Jon didn’t seem convinced. “I think I’ll go to bed all right? I’ll stop by and see everyone tomorrow.”

“Maddie will be so excited,” Ron grinned. “So will RJ. His Grandpa sent him a train track and he’s been dying to put it together.”

“Okay,” Jon replied. “I’ll come by about noon.”

“Great,” Ron patted his shoulder. “I’ll tell everyone.”

“Night Dad,” Jon headed for his bedroom. He got undressed, tossing his clothes in the corner of his room before falling onto the bed. The sheets were cold and he hated that feeling.

Allison lay on her back, staring at the ceiling as she listened to her parents arguing about what had just taken place. “I hate this,” she whimpered, rolling onto her side as she pulled the blankets over her head.

18. Chapter 18

A/N: Here’s another chapter in the big Allie/Jon saga- not the resolution quite yet, we have to drag it out a little bit ;)

A lot of you are hating Neville- but remember that A/J aren’t exactly ‘innocents’ in all this! He’s just being a dad who found his daughter in quite a compromising position.

We did do some review feedback- you guys were AWESOME last chapter with the reviews so as always, please continue on with this chapter :D We’ll see you all on Tuesday!

Allison followed her sister through the barrier that lead them to Platform 9 3/4, still feeling numb from the path her life had taken over the past few weeks. Her parents had seen to it that she stayed grounded and unable to contact Jon in any way, shape or form.

"Allie," Cho said trying to at least reach out to her daughter. "I really like the colour you picked out for your dress robes. Pink has always looked lovely on you."

"Thanks," Allison said dully, pulling away and turning to look in the other direction.

Cho shared a look with Neville who just shrugged.

"Frankie?" Neville asked his youngest daughter. He pulled out a permission slip from his pocket. "You'll need this for your Hogsmeade weekends."

"Ooh thanks Dad!" Frankie said excitedly. "Allie we're going to have fun when we go into town!"

"That is if I get to go, right Dad?" Allison asked sarcastically.

"Of course you can go Allison," Neville said, ignoring her tone.

"And you'll have to forward your Quidditch schedule to us," Cho said smiling at her. "We'll have to come for a match or two."

"Whatever," Allison rolled her eyes and began to walk towards the train.

The Weasleys were running remarkably early as they made their way down the platform. Of course, it might have been because instead of four children going back to school, they only had two---Drew and Darla. Josh and Jon tagged along with their parents to see their sisters off.

Of course, Jon hoped to at least catch a glimpse of Allison so his motives weren't entirely unselfish. Jon helped Drew with her trolley as she kept asking him question after question about Hogsmeade.

"I don't know why you want to know," Jon teased her. "You won't be able to go until next year."

"But it sounds like so much fun and I bet I could get Allie or Frankie to get me something--" Drew clapped a hand over her mouth. "I'm sorry Jon I forgot..."

"Its okay, Drew," Jon said smiling at her reassuringly. "I'm sure if you see Allie or Frankie, they'd be happy to get you something."

"Want me to tell her anything for you?" Drew asked.

"Just tell her that I miss her," Jon said hoping that he'd be able to tell her that himself if he managed to catch her alone.

"I still can't believe Neville would say such horrible things," Luna said quietly to Ron. "Questioning our parenting..."

"I know," Ron muttered, not wanting to rehash the events of the past few weeks.

"Mum," Darla said tugging on her mother's sleeve. "Look, it's the Longbottoms!"

"Yeah it's the Longbottoms," Ron grumbled, giving Cho and Neville a dark look.

Jon looked up and saw Allison and everything and everyone seemed to fade away.

Josh put a hand on his brother's arm. "I know you want to go over there mate but don't. Not unless she's away from her dad," he said in a low voice.

"I know," Jon said quietly. "But he's not going to let her alone, is he?"

"Allison," Neville said trying to keep as much distance between his daughter and Jon as possible. "Why don't you help your sister with her things?"

"Fine," Allison said shortly. She hadn't caught sight yet of the Weasleys and for that Neville was glad.

"I'll take Darla and Drew's things down so you can say a proper goodbye to them," Jon offered, sensing his chance to get a few moments with Allie.

"That's be great, Jon," Luna said smiling at him. "Thanks."

"Sure," Jon said, giving Josh a look as he tugged the trunks over to the train. He looked around for a glimpse of Neville and Cho. They were on the other side of the station, so Jon took his chance to duck onto the train.

"Do you want to go back with me to say goodbye to Mum and Dad?" Frankie asked Allison after they'd handed over their belongings.

"No," Allison said, opening up the door to an empty compartment. "I'll save you a seat."

"Okay," Frankie said. "I'll be right back.”

Allison sat back on the cushioned seat and gazed out the window, watching as people were rushing about outside. She was so lost in thought she hadn't noticed or heard someone opening the compartment door.

"Allie..." Jon whispered. He hadn't realised he said her name aloud until she snapped her head around.

"If you don't mind I'd really like to be..." she said turning around. Her heart seemed to stop as she looked at him. "Jon?"

"Al," he grinned at her.

"W-what are you doing here?" she stammered. Shakily, she got to her feet. "You are really here, aren't you? I'm not just imagining it?"

"No you're not," Jon reached over and pulled the curtains shut so no one could see into the compartment. "I snuck on so I could see you, if only for a few minutes."

"I've missed you so much," she said touching his cheek.

"I've missed you too," Jon said softly. "Feels like it's been two years and not two weeks."

"I know," Allison said leaning in for a kiss.

Jon claimed her lips hungrily, kissing her as hard as he could. "Al... I'm half tempted to stay on the train with you."

"But you can't," Allison said sadly.

"I really wish I could," Jon said, kissing her again. "I love you so much," he said, holding her tightly.

"I love you," she whispered resting her head on his shoulder. "I keep thinking about that night at your place. We were so happy, Jon."

"I know," he said, moving his hand through her soft hair. "And we'll be happy again Allie. Once you finish up with school we'll be together again."

"Allie," Frankie said pushing back the compartment door. "I've got---what's Jon doing here?"

"Hey Frankie," Jon said. "I uh... I came to see your sister for a minute."

Allison just knew Frankie was going to run off the train to blab to their parents. To her surprise though, Frankie just smiled. "I'll just wait outside. The train's going to depart in about two minutes."

"Um, thanks," Allison said gratefully.

"Wow," Jon said as Frankie slid the door closed. "She's not running off to tell?"

"I can't believe it," Allison said shaking her head. She made a mental note to thank her sister profusely for what she'd just done.

"Are you okay?" Allison asked him, knowing they didn't have much time, but not wanting to let him go just yet.

"I'm fine," Jon said, holding her even closer. "I just want to be with you Al."

"I want that too," Allison said softly. "More than anything."

She pulled away so she could look at him. "I know you're not much for writing letters..."

"I'll write you every day," Jon promised.

"Now and then would be a start," Allison teased. "Christmas break will be here before we know it, right? I don't care what I have to do, we'll spend it together, Jon."

"I'll still come to Hogsmeade on your birthday. And if it doesn't fall on a weekend, I'll find a way to get to the castle so we can spend the day together." Jon swore.

Frankie opened the compartment door. "I'm sorry to interrupt, but the train's about to leave, Jon."

"Thanks Frankie," Jon said. He gave Allison another kiss. "I love you Al."

"I love you too," Allison said softly. "You'd better go."

"Right," Jon said, walking backwards out of the compartment and jumping off the train just as it was starting to move.

"Hello Jonathan," a familiar voice called out from behind.

Jon turned around to see who was talking to him.

"Why were you on the train?" Neville asked him.

"He was helping his sisters," Ron said coming up to join them. "Not that it should be any concern of yours."

"I was putting their trunks in a compartment," Jon was hoping that Allison's lip gloss wasn't smeared on his face. "And then I got to talking to someone I knew and got off just in time."

"That someone you knew wouldn't have been my daughter, would it?" Neville asked.

Ron glared at him. "What my son does is no longer your concern Longbottom." he snapped.

"If it's with my daughter it sure as hell does," Neville retorted.

Luna quickly got in between them. "Let's not do this here, okay?"

"Despite what you think I still love your daughter," Jon said, staring at Neville.

"Really?" Neville asked him. "What sort of person encourages the girl he loves to lie to her parents? What sort of person takes advantage of--?"

"Enough!" Luna shouted at him. "Jon didn't do any of those things! You've known my son all his life..."

"And now he thinks because of that he can shag my daughter under my nose!" Neville shouted back at her. "Get out of my face Weasley."

"Don't you talk to my wife like that!" Ron exclaimed, shoving Neville.

"Get your son away from me before I do something you'll really regret," Neville hissed, his eyes dark with anger.

"You've already done enough," Jon said quietly. "There's nothing more you can do to me that could hurt more than being away from Allison."

"And you're going to stay away from her," Neville snapped. "She'll find someone else she likes better."

"Let's just go, Jon," Luna said gently, putting a hand on his arm. "Let's just go."

"Fine," Jon muttered, his elation at being able to sneak away for a few minutes with Allison gone.

Ron watched as his two sons and Luna walked away.

He looked at Neville. "Are you happy now?"

"I'll be happy the day your son and my daughter call off that excuse of a relationship," Neville said, folding his arms.

"You know I once knew a bloke who fell in love with a girl that his grandmother said wasn't worthy of him," Ron said. "His grandmother even said that if they continued seeing each other that she'd cut him off completely."

"What the hell is your point?" Neville asked snappishly.

"The fact that you even have to ask speaks more than anything I would have to say," Ron answered dryly. "Goodbye, Neville. Give my best to Cho."

Neville watched him walk away before returning to his wife. "Good riddance," he muttered.

"Where've you been?" Cho asked him with a smile. "I was about to send out a search party..."

"I caught Jonathan Weasley sneaking off the train," Neville replied.

"What?" Cho asked.

"I think he was on trying to see Allison, even though he denies it." Neville said.

Cho sighed. "Neville, are you sure we're doing the right thing? Allie barely spoke to us these last few days. She's been miserable."

"I still think she's too young to be caught up in this type of relationship," Neville said firmly. "If you had seen her all wrapped up naked on Jonathan's sofa you'd think so too."

"I know," Cho said quietly. "I just hope that she forgives us someday for this and knows that we just want the best for her."

"She will," Neville said confidently. "Sooner or later she'll forget all about that Weasley."

Cho wished she could share in his confidence, but she wasn't so sure.

*** *** ***

Things onlygot worse in the weeks after Allison returned to school. Neville and Cho were not on speaking terms with Ron and Luna. Harry and Hermione and Seamus and Lavender found themselves caught in the middle. It made for a very tense situation for everyone involved. For the first few weeks, Hermione had bit her tongue and not said anything. She and Harry had tried to remain neutral throughout all of this. But, she hated to see what this was doing to her friends.

She knew that if they just sat down and talked about this like rational adults, things would change for the better.

Taking matters into her own hands, Hermione decided to throw a dinner party for her friends. The only thing was that neither Ron and Luna nor Cho and Neville knew that the other couple were coming.

Greta had fixed a delicious meal for them and Hermione knew that once they were all sitting around the table, it would seem like old times.

Her husband, though, had his doubts.

"You don't really think this will work do you?" he asked as they got ready in their room. "I mean, I've known them for most of my life Hermione. They're all stubborn as hell."

"They're nowhere near as stubborn as me," Hermione said putting on some earrings. "And by the time they leave tonight, they're going to be wondering why there were fighting in the first place."

Harry shook his head but smiled for his wife's benefit. She could be quite the optimist.

"Okay," Hermione said switching to her efficient Minister mode. "Cho and Neville are arriving at seven and we told Ron and Luna to come around 7:30. They'll probably wonder why we've got two extra places set, but I'll just make up something about Seamus and Lav coming."

"Oh they ducked out?" he asked pointedly. "After Lavender helped you plot this down to the very last dish?"

"Lavender didn't go willingly," Hermione admitted. "Seamus said he didn't want any part in this and he forced her to go by promising to let her run wild in Harrods’s."

Harry snorted. "She gets to go shopping and I have to sit here through this. I don't want any part in it either."

Hermione rolled her eyes. "Desperate times call for desperate measures."

"Well when they all blow up later, do me a favour and keep my name out of it," Harry said, buttoning up his shirt.

"Whatever," Hermione said glowering at him. "I fully expect to be telling you 'I told you so' later tonight."

"Whatever," Harry mocked.

Hermione ignored him and ran a brush through her hair. "I hope Julie's okay watching the kids."

"She's fine," Harry replied. "You know Ethan loves going over there and Jules would kill for as much time with Saffy as possible."

"No smart remarks?" Hermione asked. "I expected you to say something about how it was good to get the children out of the way before the battle lines were drawn or something like that...."

"I was holding back," Harry replied with a smirk.

"That's because you know that I'm right," Hermione said giving her husband a kiss. "Deep down you know that this is right."

"I'm not saying a damn word," Harry said when they pulled apart.

Hermione took his hand and led him downstairs where they were surprised to see Neville and Cho had already arrived.

"Hiya," Hermione said smiling at them. "You're early."

"Hello Hermione," Cho gave her a hug. "You look fantastic in those robes."

"Thanks," Hermione said hugging her back. "I'm so glad you two could come."

"Been awhile since we've seen you mate," Neville clapped Harry on the shoulder. "The wife keeping you busy?"

"Always," Harry said with a knowing grin. "Can I get you something to drink?"

"If you've got any beer that'd be great." Neville replied.

"Coming right up," Harry said. "And for your better half?"

"A white wine, if you have any." Cho said.

"I think we'll all need a good stiff drink," Harry muttered under his breath. Hermione glared at her husband's retreating back.

"So what have you two been up to?" Hermione asked conversationally. "Heard anything from the kids?"

"Frankie's owled us for money," Neville said with a grin. "Already."

Hermione laughed. "That's our Frankie."

"Allie hasn't owled us," Cho said quietly. "Not once."

"Oh," Hermione let her smile slip. "I'm um... sure she will soon. After all, you're her parents."

"And Chiaki thinks we're being irrational," Cho continued sinking down on the sofa.

"Does she?" Hermione kept her tone neutral.

"She's not a parent," Neville said looking up as Harry came back into the room with their drinks. "She wouldn't understand."

"About what?" Harry asked, shooting his wife a look as he handed everyone a drink.

"About doing what is best for your children," Neville replied. "She doesn't understand that we've done all of this to protect Allison."

"I see," Harry said slowly.

"Everything will sort itself out," Hermione reassured her friends. "You'll see."

"I hope so," Cho replied. "I hate having my daughter feel so alienated."

"So do I," Neville said before taking a swig of his beer. "But let's not talk about this now. Where's Lav and Seamus? I thought they were joining us?"

"They're not coming," Harry said.

"Until later," Hermione interjected.

Cho nodded. "Lavender's being fashionable late as usual, eh?"

"Nice to know some things never change," Neville said with a laugh. "Poor Seamus sure has his hands full."

"I think he loves every moment of it too," Hermione said with a laugh.

"Poor unfortunate soul that he is," Harry deadpanned.

"Harry," Hermione said with a warning look.

"I meant that in the best possible way," Harry said quickly.

A knock sounded in the entryway and Hermione looked over. "I wonder who that is?" she said in a false surprised voice.

"The poor unfortunate soul probably," Neville said taking a seat beside his wife on the sofa.

"Probably," Harry smiled thinly, anticipating the fireworks he knew were about to erupt.

Hermione excused herself to answer the door. She said a silent prayer that everything would go okay before opening the door.

"Greetings Minister," Ron said giving her a peck on the cheek. "We come bearing gifts."

"Hello Ron," Hermione said. "Hi Luna." she beamed at her friends.

"I'm so glad you suggested this," Luna said taking off her cloak while her husband handed Hermione the bottle of wine. "We don't get together near as often as we used to."

"Yes I know," Hermione nodded. "Especially together as one big group."

"We'll have to make this a tradition," Luna suggested. "We'll all have to get together at least once a month for a dinner party."

"Of course," Hermione said. "All of us, hanging out like the old times."

"Not exactly like old times," Ron pointed out. "Since Longbottom's lost his right mind."

"Oh come now," Hermione said. "I'm sure we can all put our differences aside." she led them into the sitting room.

"Not after what he said about my son," Ron was saying but his voice trailed off as his eyes fell on the two people sitting on the sofa. "What are they doing here?"

"We were invited here for a dinner party," Neville rose from the sofa as soon as the Weasleys entered. "What are YOU doing here?"

"WE were invited for a dinner party too," Ron retorted.

"Well thanks for the drink Harry but I think Cho and I should go." Neville set his beer down hard. "I don't want to stay and eat with--"

"Go ahead Longbottom," Ron countered. "Finish your sentence....you don't want to eat with my wife and me? Well no one's forcing you to stay here."

"I want you ALL to stay," Hermione said firmly. "You're all still our friends."

Neville wanted to wipe the smirk off of Ron's face. He knew Ron would like nothing more than for he and Cho to walk out, but Neville wasn't about to give him the satisfaction. If anyone should go, Neville thought, it should be Ron and Luna.

"We'll stay," Neville said, sitting back down. "But we already ate Weasley. You're a little shit out of luck there."

Ron glared at him.

"We haven't eaten yet," Hermione reassured him. "Neville's just having a go at you, Ron. Greta's made all your favourites."

"Then we'll stay too," Ron said, still glaring at Neville.

"Brilliant," Hermione said pleased. "Can I get you and Luna something to drink, Ron?"

"Firewhisky," Ron said, sitting opposite Neville and Cho.

"Just some sparkling water for me," Luna replied.

Hermione nodded and went to get their drinks and Harry wished he'd thought to join her. The room was deadly quiet.

"So," Harry said awkwardly.

"What's new with you Harry?" Ron asked, purposely ousting Neville from the conversation.

"Nothing much," Harry replied dryly. "Ethan and Saffy are keeping us pretty busy."

"We should have a pickup game of Quidditch some weekend," Ron said, ignoring the looks Neville was shooting at them.

Luna was terribly uncomfortable with Cho sitting silently by Neville's side. They kept darting looks at each other but never made eye contact.

"I'd like that," Harry said with a grin. "We could all go. Maybe even get Josh and Jo..."

"I hope you don't expect Jon to take a game of Quidditch seriously," Neville snorted.

Ron gripped the arms of his chair.

"Jon's a great keeper," Harry said quickly. "Helped Gryffindor win two house cups if I remember correctly. Right Ron?"

"That's right," Ron replied proudly. "Damn good player he is!"

Neville snorted. "Interesting choice of words..."

"Look Longbottom," Ron began furiously.

"Here we are," Hermione said brightly coming back into the room with Luna and Ron's drinks. "What did I miss?"

"Oh just some wisdom from the great Weasley in the corner," Neville laughed derisively.

"Dinner's nearly ready," Hermione said hoping to lighten the mood. "I hope you're hungry."

"It smells delicious," Luna said trying to make an effort.

"Greta made a vegetable casserole for you Cho," Hermione said, sitting next to her husband. "And for us meat lovers she made a roast."

"One of these days I might just have to steal Greta away from you two," Luna said.

"I'd like to see you try," Hermione grinned. "Do you expect my family to live on MY cooking?"

"They might get bored with lasagne for all three meals," Luna joked.

"It's a pretty mean lasagne," Ron grinned.

"Next time we get together I'll be sure to make it for you," Hermione promised. She looked over at Neville who was still glaring at Ron. "Nev? Can I get you another beer?"

"That'd be nice," he said tightly. "Thanks Hermione."

"I'll get it for you," Harry got up hastily and practically ran from the room.

Hermione let out a hollow laugh. "There goes my husband beating me to the punch yet again. He's too quick for me."

No one said anything and Hermione started to have her doubts about whether this would work. Normally, she'd ask about the children, but that was a subject that should be avoided.

"Greta's made enough for a small army," Hermione said. "You lot are more than welcome to take home any leftovers."

"I'll be sure and take you up on that Hermione," Ron said happily.

"How are things at the shop?" Hermione asked.

"Fantastic," Ron said. "I've had a six percent sales increase in the last month."

"That's fantastic," Hermione said smiling at him.

She looked over at Neville and Cho who looked as if they'd rather be anywhere but where they were.

"And how about you Neville?"

"Auror business couldn't be better," he replied. "And Cho's school is busier than it ever was. We're doing fantastic." he stressed the last word and looked pointedly at Ron.

"And how is Allison?" Ron asked. "Is she doing fantastic as well?"

"Quite," Neville said brightly.

"She's doing fine," Cho said. "Her marks are top notch."

"And how is she feeling?" Ron asked not ready to let this go. "Is she happy?"

Neville nodded, a smirk on his face. "In fact, she's already seeing someone, a Ravenclaw."

"What?" Luna asked. "But..."

"But I thought she loved Jon," Hermione said softly.

"Longbottom's lying," Ron said defiantly. "He always was a terrible liar."

"Guess you'll never really know will you?" Neville asked smugly.

"The girl I saw at your house a few weeks ago didn't look like someone who was just going to forget about Jon," Ron said angrily. "You've probably not received one owl from her. You forget Nev, Josh's girlfriend is Allison's best mate. Her owls aren't intercepted like Allie's."

Neville's smile disappeared. "We can fix that," he said tightly.

"Going to make her stop being friends with Lizzy too?" Luna asked angrily. "Don't you think you're carrying this a bit too far Neville? I know that what happened threw you for a loop, but Jon has assured Ron and I that he and Allie took every precaution. They were responsible..."

"Responsible?" Neville snorted as Harry came back in. "You call shagging on a sofa responsible?"

"Jon would never do anything to hurt Allison," Luna reassured Neville her tone a little softer. "He loves her, Neville. They're both miserable. Is that what you want?"

"Of course we don't want them to be miserable," Cho said in a calmer tone than her husband. "But we think they're too young to be engaging in that sort of activity."

"As I recall," Ron said looking at Cho. "You were Allie's age when you and Harry..."

"Not the best thing to bring up," Cho interrupted hastily.

"When has that ever stopped him?" Neville asked sarcastically.

"Look," Ron's eyes were narrowed. "You've changed Neville. You're acting like your Gran did when you and Cho up and got married. And if you don't watch out, you're going to lose Allie just like your Gran knew she'd lose you and that's why she came around!"

"Here we go again," Neville said rolling his eyes. "You're beginning to sound like a broken record Ron. The situations are entirely different..."

He got to his feet. "I'll be damned if I'm going to let you dictate how I raise my daughter, Ron Weasley. The last thing I want is my 16-year old daughter pregnant and alone. So you can tell your no good son to move on to his next victim because my daughter is out of his life for good."

"Don't you dare say my son is no good," Ron angrily got to his feet as well. "And if Jon got Allie pregnant, he'd be responsible and stick by her every damn step of the way." he was dying to say something about how he figured this had to do with Draco Malfoy abandoning Cho but one look at his wife made him hold his tongue on that subject.

"I'll say whatever I please," Neville said huffily.

"I think dinner might be ready," Hermione interjected, but no one heard her. She looked helplessly at Harry.

"Okay," Harry said loudly, stepping between his friends. "Can we all calm down here and act like adults?"

"He's the one who started it," Ron said glaring at Neville.

"That's real mature," Neville snorted.

"It's the truth," Ron said. "None of us would be in this mess if you'd have just listened Neville. Tell him, Harry."

"I'm not getting in the middle of this," Harry replied. "Neville, I think you owe it to Ron and Luna to listen to this and you know what? Both of you need to realise that this is mainly between Jon and Allie."

"Sure take his side," Neville said angrily. "You always have."

"He just told you he's not taking any sides," Hermione stood next to Harry.

"If this was your daughter, what would you have done?" Neville asked Harry point-blank. "What would you have done if you were in my shoes, Harry?"

"I've been in your shoes Neville," Harry retorted. "His name is Nick, and he makes my daughter happy."

Neville shook his head. "She wasn't 16 when they got together though, was she? She wasn't lying to you was she? Though, I can understand why you wouldn't see any of this my way. You and Hermione certainly know something about going behind someone's back now don't you? Of course the two of you would see this as romantic."

"Neville," Cho put her hand on his arm. "Perhaps we should leave..."

"Aye," Neville said. "Suddenly I'm not so hungry."

"I'm sorry Harry," Cho said quietly. "We'll see you soon Hermione." she was too ashamed to look at Ron or Luna.

Hermione watched as Neville and Cho disapparated. "That was a complete disaster."

Harry decided to wait until later to tell his wife 'I told you so'. "Yeah," he muttered.

*** *** ***

It wasn't until an hour after they got home that Cho or Neville even spoke a word to one another. Cho was embarrassed at her husband's behaviour towards Ron and Luna and he was angry because she didn't back him up.

Cho silently walked into the kitchen to warm up some of the leftover casserole they'd had last night. Just when she thought this was getting better, something like this happened to make everything much worse.

Neville had changed into a simpler pair of jeans and jumper and as he was walking back towards the kitchen, he noticed the door to Allison's bedroom was ajar. He was going to close it when his eyes fell upon a picture of her as a baby sitting next to her bed with a much younger Chiaki giggling beside her.

"Nev?" Cho called out. When he didn't answer her, she went upstairs to see if he wanted some leftovers. "Nev? Where are you?"

"I'm in here," Neville answered.

Cho walked into Allison's bedroom and saw her husband sitting on the edge of her twin bed holding a picture frame. She sat down beside him and couldn't help smiling.

"I remember when that was taken," she said softly.

"That day we took the girls to Diagon Alley," Neville smiled.

"Chiaki kept announcing to everyone that she was Allie's big sister," Cho said fondly.

"She had her first ice cream that day," Neville laughed. "Remember taking her to Florean Fortescue's?"

Cho laughed. "She wore most of her first ice cream that day. And you kept trying to help her, but she swatted you away with her little hand."

"She's always been pretty independent hasn't she?" Neville asked with a sigh, tracing over his middle daughter's face in the photograph.

Cho nodded. "I hate this Neville. She used to write to us all the time when she was at school. And now..."

Neville shook his head. "I don't know Cho... sometimes I think we're doing the right thing and other times..."

"Frankie says she's thrown herself into studying," Cho said. "And that she's completely miserable. She shouldn't be spending her last year at school like that."

Neville nodded slowly, silent as he took another picture from her shelf.

With a heavy sigh, Cho stood up and started tidying up around the room. There were a few books on the floor along with some Muggle CD's that Allison hadn't put away before she'd left. Cho put them in the hope chest at the end of Allison's bed. She was thinking of writing to Allison again to see if she'd want them to come to her first Quidditch match of the year. Frankie had owled the schedule and had taken it upon herself to be the family mediator.

"What do you think Cho?" Neville asked. "I mean really- what do you think of her and Jon together? Am I being THAT unreasonable?"

Cho looked thoughtfully at her husband. "I want our daughter to be happy, Neville. That's all that I've ever wanted. And even though you might not like it, he makes her very happy." She knew Neville wanted to say something, but she held up her hand. "I know that what they did was wrong, but maybe we overreacted."

"You didn't see her under that blanket with him though," Neville pointed out.

"I know," Cho said walking over to her husband. "I know it was hard for you to see that, but I can't imagine it was any easier for Allison for you to find her like that..."

Neville could feel himself soften as he gazed as his daughter's innocent face in the photographs in front of him.

Cho moved to put the books on the shelf, but one of them fell to the floor. A piece of parchment fell out of the book and at first Cho thought it must have been a bookmark or something.

Neville saw that it was another photograph, this one of her and Jon and it must have been taken in Ireland.

Allison and Jon were waving enthusiastically at whoever was taking the photograph and the smile on Neville's face fell as he saw the photograph Jon nuzzle Allison's neck.

Cho could read the expression on her husband's face. "Nev..."

"We're doing the right thing here Cho." Neville grabbed the photograph and shoved it into Allison's bedside drawer.

"It's just a picture," Cho said reassuringly. "They were just fooling...okay...wrong choice of words."

"She's too young to be so serious about one person. And wouldn't you know, the first guy we allow her to go out with, she shags." Neville shook his head.

"She's said that she loves him," Cho said remembering the conversation with Allison in Chiaki's kitchen so many weeks ago.

"She's in lust with him," Neville answered.

Cho wasn't so sure she could write her daughter's feelings down to just that. She'd seen the way her daughter's eyes had lit up when she talked about Jon.

"What if she doesn't grow out of this?" Cho asked. "What if this only makes her feelings for him stronger? What if she graduates and they..."

"She wouldn't do anything like that," Neville's tone was more confident than he actually felt.

"So what do we do?" Cho asked him.

"We keep them apart," Neville said simply. "Just like we're doing now. She'll realise it's the best thing."

"And what about our friendship with Ron and Luna?" Cho asked. "And Harry and Hermione for that matter."

"It'll all blow over when Allie and Jon both find someone new," Neville said. "For Allie it might take longer, but it'll happen."

"You make it sound so easy," Cho said quietly.

"It will be fine," Neville said, once again sounding more confident than he felt.

19. Chapter 19

Authors' note: This is a big chapter. And it ends in a bit of a cliffie. But you don't have to wait too long...Saturday's just around the corner. Thanks for the reviews. Neville is taking a lot of heat. Will he be able to redeem himself? Keep reading to find out! Thanks to you guys who have read and reviewed. Please take a few seconds to let us know what you think.

It had been over two months since Allison had seen Jon. Somehow her parents set it up with Dumbledore that she wasn't to send any messages home to anyone other than her parents and sister. If her parents thought that keeping her away from Jon was going to make her forget about him, they were sadly mistaken.

A picture of the two of them from Chiaki's wedding still sat on her bedside table. She wore his old grey t-shirt to bed every night. He was more in her thoughts now than he'd been when she saw him every day.

If there was one thing that could be said about this entire ordeal it was that Frankie had become a great friend. She tried to cheer Allison up, but usually couldn't get much more thana weak smile in return.

"Hey Al," said sister flopped down next to her on the bed. "It's Hogsmeade day."

"I don't feel like it," Allison said not looking up from her book. "But you should go, Frankie. You shouldn't just stay here to keep me company."

"But I really want you to come with me," Frankie replied. "I have to get some new quills and I want to go to the sweets Shoppe."

Allison sighed. "You don't need me to do all that."

"But it's my first time in Hogsmeade and more important it's your birthday," Frankie replied. "I know you've forgotten but I didn't!"

"You're not going to let this go, are you?" Allison said with a slight smile. She gave her sister a hug. "Frankie, I appreciate all that you've tried to do for me..."

"I can be stubborn too," Frankie hugged her back. "I got Mum to let me date at 15 just like you didn't I?"

Allison laughed. "Yeah, you did." She had to admit the idea of getting some fresh air did appeal to her and she did need to get her own supplies, too. "Okay, Frankie. Just give me a few minutes to dress in something warm."

"Okay," Frankie grinned. "I'll wait for you in the common room."

Allison nodded and got to her feet. Today was her 17th birthday. She smiled as she remembered Jon telling her that he'd find some way to come and help her celebrate. That was before everything had happened with her father. Tears welled up in her eyes as she changed into her favourite red jumper.

Frankie grinned and hummed to herself as she waited for her sister. Jon was meeting them in town and if all went well... "Ready?" she jumped up as she saw Allison descend the stairs.

"Sure," Allison said mustering a smile. This was Frankie's first Hogsmeade weekend after all.

They managed to catch the last carriage heading down to the village. Frankie was nearly bouncing in her seat but managed to keep her excitement down for the most part and Allison spent the ride staring blankly out the window. "It's so cute!" Frankie exclaimed. "Like a storybook village!"

Allison continued to stare listlessly out the window. "You'll never want to leave," Allison said softly, tracing her fingers along the glass.

"Come on Allie," Frankie tugged her hand. "Let's go to Honeydukes."

"Sure," Allison said letting Frankie lead the way. Her little sister was so excited perhaps it would be contagious.

Just as they were about to reach the sweets Shoppe, which was already crowded with students, a figure popped out at them. "Surprise," Jon grinned at the two Longbottoms.

Allison looked at him in surprise. This couldn't be real. He wasn't really here, she told herself. It was only because she'd wanted to see him so badly.

"I was worried you wouldn't make it," Frankie said grinning at him. "It took forever to convince Allie."

"You... you're really here Jon?" Allison asked, staring at him.

"I think so," Jon said smiling at her. He touched her cheek. "I told you I'd find someway to be with you on your birthday, didn't I? And I never break my promises to you, Al. You know that."

Allison threw her arms around him as she started to cry again.

"I did a good job," Frankie said, obviously satisfied.

"Thanks squirt," Jon said smiling at her over Allison's shoulder.

"No problem," Frankie was grinning. "Have fun and I'll see you back at the castle later Allie."

"Thanks, Frankie," Allison said nodding.

"You're welcome," Frankie hugged her. "Happy birthday."

Allison hugged her back and smiled at her sister as she disappeared into Honeydukes. She turned back to Jon, almost afraid that he'd have disappeared.

"Do you have any idea how much I missed you?" he asked her softly. "Every single letter I sent came back...I thought you hated me."

"My parents talked to Dumbledore," Allison said as he pulled her close again. "I can't get any mail from you or send any. It's awful."

"I know," Jon said burying his face in her hair. "Lucky for us the same rules didn't apply to your sister. She set most of this up, Allie."

"We really owe her one," Allison clung to him. "I've missed you so much Jon. These past few months have been dreadful."

"I've tried to talk to your folks, but they won't see me," he said pulling away and looking at her face. Any doubts he had about what he wanted to do disappeared as he looked at her. Even though they were in the middle of a crowded street, Jon couldn't help himself. He cupped her face in his hands and kissed her.

Allison kissed him back, holding onto him as tightly as she could. She'd been dreaming about this moment since the last time she'd seen him and still couldn't believe he was right here in front of her.

"My Allie," he whispered when they pulled apart.

"Your Allie," she whispered back with a smile as tears slipped down her face.

"Do you want to go in The Three Broomsticks?" he asked her taking her hands. "We could get some butterbeer and I can give you your present."

"Sure," she replied, wiping her cheeks. "That sounds really nice."

"Happy Birthday Al," Jon whispered before leading her inside.

"This is present enough," Allison said as they sat down in a corner booth. "I'm so glad you're here Jon."

"I wouldn't have missed this," he said grinning at her across the table.

Allison smiled as they clasped hands across the table. "It's been rough," she said. "I've pretty much thrown myself into my schoolwork. I haven't spoken to my parents since we came back here to school."

"Yeah," Jon said. In the wake of all that had happened, Ron and Luna had stopped speaking to Cho and Neville. "I just don't see what the big deal is about you and I being together."

"It's their bloody attitude about us being too young," Allison said, tearing up again. "Look what it's done- my parents aren't friends with yours anymore, and Uncle Harry and Aunt Hermione are thrown in the middle, trying to play peacemaker with everyone. I hate it!"

"To paraphrase your sister Frankie," Jon said. "It's not fair. Who says that you have to be a certain age to know how you feel? The way I feel about you isn't going to change no matter how far away they put you, Allie. I hate being away from you..."

"I feel the same way," Allison said. "Love doesn't magically just happen when you turn a certain age. I know how I feel about you."

Jon smiled. He pulled something out of his cloak pocket and his hands were shaking as he handed it to her. "What would a birthday be without presents, right?"

Allison looked at the small wrapped box with wide eyes. "What is it?" she asked.

"If I tell you, it'll spoil the surprise, right?" Jon asked her. "Open it and find out..."

She unwrapped the box quickly and her jaw fell as she pried it open. "Jon..." her voice was faint.

"I know it's not much," Jon said quickly. "I took out almost all that I had in Gringotts to pay for it. The moment I saw it I thought of you, Allie. I...you don't like it, do you?"

"I love it," she said, tears already back in her eyes. "Is it... what I think it is?"

Jon nodded. He couldn't ever remember feeling this nervous in his life as he reached across the table for her hand. "I love you, Allison Longbottom. I always have and I always will. That's never going to change."

"Same for me," Allison said nervously. "Are you sure about this?" she asked, using her free hand to wipe her eyes yet again.

"More sure than I've ever been in my life," he said softly. "Allie, I know this is much earlier than we planned, but they're...they're not going to change their minds. Even if we waited until after you graduated, they'd still not want us together not after what's happened."

"You're right," Allison replied, her eyes still on the box in front of her.

Jon took the ring from the box and slid out of his seat. Looking around to make sure no one was watching him, he knelt down before her. "I suppose I should do this properly, eh?" He held out the ring to her. "What do you say, Allie? Will you marry me?"

"Yes," she answered without one iota of hesitation. "I'll marry you Jon."

Jon beamed at her and gently put the ring on her finger. "Perfect," he whispered.

Allison hugged him as hard as she could. "Completely perfect," she agreed softly.

"So how would you feel about doing it tonight?" he asked her.

Her eyes bugged out. "How would we arrange that?" she squeaked.

"We could take a train back to London tonight," Jon said. "We could get married at a registry office or a town hall or something...."

"But what about Dumbledore," Allison asked. "And how would I get out of school? Or back in for that matter?" she smiled at him softly. "It's not that I don't want to marry you Jon I do- more than anything."

Jon looked sheepishly up at her. He hadn't really given that much thought. "I...I don't know."

Allison looked down at the table, tracing the ridges with her finger. "We'll figure something out," she said. "Let's do it Jon."

"Really?" Jon asked hopefully.

"Yeah," Allison said. "To hell with everything else Jon- I don't care."

Jon kissed her again. "I love you," he said. "I love you, I love you, I love you..."

"I love you too," Allison pressed her lips to his briefly. "So um... how do we get back to London? Floo powder? I haven't got my apparition license yet."

"Yeah," Jon said. "We could use the fireplace at my uncles' shop. They're both out of town this week visiting my Uncle Charlie, but we could sneak in the back. They've just got some stupid assistant watching the place."

"Okay," Allison said her heart fluttering nervously. "Let's go then," she smiled bravely at him.

"It'll be okay, Allie," he said softly, squeezing her hand. "I promise."

"This will be the best birthday ever," she said as they slipped out of The Three Broomsticks.

"You're going to be the most amazing bride," Jon said as they walked down the crowded sidewalk. "I know this isn't the way you wanted to get married, Allie. I know you wanted something like Chiaki had..."

"Jon I'm with you and that's all that matters. This may be the only way for my parents to see how serious I am about staying with you." Allison said.

Jon smiled. "And it's not as if we haven't had practice. Do you remember when I was six and you were five and you made me play wedding with you?"

Allison laughed. "Who knew right?" she asked.

"Yes well this time Josh isn't going to be the vicar," Jon said with a laugh. "And Paddington won't be the best man."

"I miss Paddington," Allison said as they slipped around the back of Fred and George's shop.

"I do too," Jon said. "But once we have our own place, we can get our own dog...even a Cornish pixie if you want."

Allison smiled as they crept into the back door. "Where do we go?" she whispered.

"We can go back to my flat for now," Jon said thoughtfully. "We can figure everything else out once we're there."

"All right," Allison squeezed his hand.

Jon took his free hand and grabbed the bucket of floo powder. "Are you sure? No second thoughts?"

"None," Allison replied.

A few minutes later he and Allison were back in his flat. Josh heard the commotion and came out of his bedroom. His mouth dropped as he saw Allison.

"Jon," Josh said slowly to his brother. "What's going on? I thought you were pulling my leg when you said you were going to do this..."

"Hi Josh," Allison interrupted. "We uh... this is the only way we can prove that we're not going to be separated anymore."

"You're not going to really do this, are you?" Josh asked his brother. "Come on, Jon. This is crazy."

"No," Jon said shaking his head. "What's crazy is being kept apart from Allie. You know what's going on with our parents and hers...it's not going to get better, Josh."

Allison gripped Jon's hand tightly. "I hope you'll support us Josh," she said softly.

Josh looked at his brother. He couldn't remember ever seeing Jon as determined as he looked at this moment. "I think the two of you are mad, but...you've got my support."

"Thank you," Allison hugged him gratefully.

"And I'd really like it if you'd be my best man," Jon said hugging Josh, too. "You're not as good as Paddington, of course..."

Allison laughed as Josh grinned. "Of course," he replied.

"So," Jon said looking at his watch. "We don't have much time."

"Where are we going?" Allison asked. "I don't know anywhere in London that will marry two teenagers."

"As long as you're over 16 you can get married in London," Josh said. He looked at his brother. "Don't you remember that Muggle girl who lived a few houses down from us when we were kids? She got married right after she turned 16. Of course, she was expecting a baby..."

Jon looked at Allison who shook her head. "No chance of that yet."

"That's good to know," Josh said with a wry smile. "You might have to wait though to get a license or something...this isn't something you just do, Jon."

"Well let's go find out," Allison gripped Jon's hand again. "If we can do this in the next couple of hours I can still get back to Hogsmeade before the carriages go back to school."

"What?" Josh asked teasingly. "No wedding night?"

Allison and Jon both glared at him. "We've had plenty of those already," Jon retorted.

"If you're going to do this, you should do it right," Josh lectured. "But hey it's not me who's getting married. It's you two love birds. I'm going to get back to my studying...you just let me know what you decide."

"We're going right now," Jon replied. "We'll go figure something out along the way."

Josh followed his brother and Allison out of the flat and he hoped that the two of them realised what they were getting themselves into.

Allison followed Jon out into Muggle London. "What is it called- a vicar... we need to find one who would marry us right now without all the extra paperwork." she said. "I hope that's possible Jon."

"We might could do the ceremony now and worry about the paperwork later," Jon said. "I'm sure I've heard about people doing things like that all the time."

"Okay," Allison said, her hand growing sweaty in his.

They walked for what seemed like hours down the crowded streets. Jon was beginning to wish he'd given this all more thought before he'd decided to throw caution to the wind like this. Allison deserved much better than this.

"Here," Allison looked down an alley at a small, tucked away church. "Why don't we try here?"

"Come on, lovebirds," Josh said leading the way. "I think this is your only hope."

Allison and Jon looked nervously at each other before climbing the small stairs leading into the tiny church.

An older looking gentleman smiled at them as they came inside. He was going over some notes for the evening services.

"Hello," he said coming toward them. "You're a little early for..."

"We want to get married," Jon interjected nervously. "Now."

"Married?" The vicar looked at them. "How old are you son?"

"Eighteen," Jon lied. "I will be in a couple of months..."

"And I'm seventeen," Allison interrupted him. "We're both old enough."

"Pardon me for asking," the vicar said gently. "But what is the rush? You're not in any sort of trouble are you?"

"Not trouble like you're thinking," Allison said. “My parents don’t approve of us being together and this is our only hope of making them see that they won’t break us up.”

The vicar looked at them as Jon put his arm around Allison.

"Please," Jon said pleadingly. "We're not two kids who came in here on some romantic whim, sir. We love each other and we need to get married today. Please."

The vicar looked pensively at them for what felt like an eternity. "This may be against my better judgement..."

"You'll do it?" Jon asked excitedly.

The vicar smiled. "I like to think I can tell when I see two people in love."

"Thank you sir," Jon said swooping Allison up in his arms. "Thank you."

Allison giggled. "We're really doing it Jon," she whispered.

"Yes we are," he said kissing her forehead. He looked at the vicar. "So, we've never done this before. What do we do?"

"I assume that you have no one else coming but this young man?" the vicar asked.

"Just me," Josh said with a wave.

"And you're going to be married dressed as you are?" the vicar asked.

"Yeah," Jon said looking away from Allison. She wasn't going to have the fancy dress with bridesmaids and most of all; she wouldn't have her father walking her down the aisle to give her away.

"What about rings?" the vicar then asked with a pleasant smile.

“I can take care of that,” Josh said.

“Right,” the vicar nodded. “Let me go get your paperwork ready to sign. It should only take a few minutes.”

Jon nodded and watched the vicar hurry off to his office. Without realising it, he began to pace in front of Allison who was looking all around the small church.

"Al?" he asked. "You ready? For this, I mean? There's still a chance to back out."

"Jon," she caught his hands in hers. "Okay so I never thought I'd get married like this- but you know what? I don't care. I love you and I want to be with you forever. This may be the only way we can show my mum and dad that we're serious about it." she gave him a tremulous smile.

Jon leaned in and kissed her forehead. "That's exactly how I feel too, Al."

"We're getting married Jon," Allison whispered.

"Much sooner than we planned," he said softly.

"Sometimes we have to do things that way," Allison agreed quietly.

"Here we go," Josh hurried back into the room. "Two newly transfigured wedding bands." he said in a hushed tone.

"Thanks mate," Jon said grinning at his brother. "Do I want to know what these were before?"

"Twist ties from my pocket," Josh said with a little smirk.

"Nice work, Josh," Allison said looking at the rings.

"Thanks Allie," Josh said as the vicar reappeared.

"Alright then," the vicar said handing Jon some papers. "You and your bride-to-be will just need to sign these forms."

"Sure," Jon took the pen and scrawled his name and then handed it to Allison. Her hand was trembling as her neat script was written out below his.

The vicar smiled at Allison as she handed the paper back to him. "Your witness will need to sign as well."

"No problem," Josh agreed. "There," he smiled at his brother and Allison.

"Perfect," the vicar said taking the paper back from Josh. "Are you two ready to begin or do you need a few moments?"

Jon looked at her. "You ready Al?" he asked softly.

Allison reached for his hand and smiled up at him. "I'm ready."

The vicar stood before Allison and Jon. Jon took Allison's hands in his as the vicar began to speak.

While the vicar began to talk, Allison half expected to see her parents rush into the church to put a stop to the wedding. Her hands trembled but she knew she was doing exactly what she wanted to do.

"Do you, Jonathan Arthur, take Allison Catherine to be your wife, to love, comfort and cherish from this day forward?" the vicar asked Jon.

"I do," Jon said softly smiling at Allison.

"And do you, Allison Catherine, take Jonathan Arthur to be your husband, to love, comfort and cherish from this day forward?" the vicar smiled gently at her, he could tell the girl was nervous.

"I do," Allison whispered.

Josh handed the two wedding bands to the vicar.

Jon took one and he noticed Allison's hand was shaking as he slid the band onto her finger. "With this ring, I thee wed."

Allison did the same thing as she looked up into his eyes. "With this ring, I thee wed," she repeated softly.

The vicar smiled. "Jonathan and Allison, in so much as the two of you have promised your love for each other by these vows and the exchanging of rings; I now declare that you are husband and wife. Jonathan, you may kiss your bride..."

Jon grinned at Allison as he leaned in and gave her a chaste kiss on the lips.

"Congratulations, young man," the vicar said shaking Jonathan's hand. "I wish you both the best of luck."

"Thank you, sir," Jon said sincerely. He turned to face Allison. "How are you doing, Mrs. Weasley?"

"I'm fine," Allison said. Now that the ceremony was over with the nervousness was replaced with a giddy feeling. "Jon... We’re married."

"We are, Al," Jon said picking her up and spinning her around. "We're married!"

She laughed as they whirled around the small sanctuary together.

"Congratulations," Josh said, smiling at them. "I'm really very happy for you both."

"Thanks mate," Jon said putting Allie back down. "We couldn't have done it without you."

Allison gave him a kiss on the cheek and a tight hug. "Thank you Josh." she whispered.

"Lizzy's going to kill you when she finds out she finds out she wasn't invited," Josh teased.

"Well maybe once everyone gets used to the idea that we're married we'll have a celebration," Allison said as they left the small church. Jon grabbed a card with the address so that they could send a donation later on for the vicar.

"We will," Josh promised. "With all of our friends and...family."

Allison and Jon both smiled at him as they hurried back to the Weasleys' flat.

A few minutes later they were all back in the flat and Jon looked at Josh hoping he'd take the hint to give them a few minutes alone. After he said a proper goodbye to Allison, Josh left the newlyweds alone.

"Do you really want to go back?" Jon asked her quietly.

"I have to," Allison replied. "Just because we're married doesn't mean I can neglect my studies." she caressed his face softly.

"It's our wedding night, Allie," he said leaning in to kiss her.

"I know," she whispered, letting her lips linger on his. "How would I get back to the castle?"

"Hogwarts has a Floo connection," Jon replied. "We'd find some way to get you back, Al. Just not tonight. Please?"

He leaned in and kissed her again and she felt any resistance she had fly out the window. "Okay," she whispered. "I'll stay tonight... with my husband." she opened her eyes and grinned at him.

Jon smiled back, kissing her. He liked the sound of that. He pulled away from her when it suddenly occurred to him that he'd forgotten something.

"What?" Allison asked when he stepped away. "What's wrong Jon?"

"Come here," he said taking her hand and leading her to the front door. He opened the door and stepped out. Allison stared at him with a confused, worried expression on her face.

"I was supposed to carry you over the threshold..." he said with a wink. "Forgive me. I'm new to this marriage thing."

"Oh," Allison laughed. "All right then."

Jon leaned down and picked her up and they were both giggling as he carried her inside. He kicked the door shut and kissed her. "Welcome home, Mrs. Weasley."

"Thank you Mr. Weasley," Allison was still laughing.

"You realise that every year I'm going to have to get you a birthday present and an anniversary present on the same day," he teased carrying her to his bedroom. "I imagine you're going to want two presents, right?"

"Of course," Allison gave him another kiss. "But I don't think anything could top this birthday. I'd never in a million years have dreamed the day would be like this."

Jon set her down gently on the bed. "Neither did I. I was so afraid that you never wanted to see me again. I thought it was over until Frankie wrote to me and explained what your parents were doing..."

"I could never get over you Jon," Allison said softly, reaching for his hands.

"I feel the same way, Al," he whispered.

"That's good," she drew him to her. "I still cannot believe that we're married." she said with a smile. "Married!"

Jon laughed and wrapped his arms around her. "When you're out of school, we'll go on a proper honeymoon. I'll take you anywhere you want to go, just name it."

"Okay," she agreed. "That sounds fantastic to me."

"Do you know what sounds fantastic to me?" Jon asked leaning in for a kiss. "Allison Catherine Longbottom Weasley..."

She laughed. "That does sound fantastic. Mrs. Jonathan Weasley."

"I've missed you so much, Allie," he said kissing her again. "I never want to be away from you that long again."

"We won't be," Allison vowed. "I don't care anymore what they say," she said, referring to her parents. "They have to realise that you and me are going to be together forever now."

"They'll understand," Jon said trying to sound convincing. He had a feeling that their actions today could hurt their case. But, he hoped that in time, Neville and Cho would understand. "Once we talk to them and make them see that we did what we had to do to be together."

Allison nodded before bringing his lips back down to hers. "Let's make our wedding night all about us," she said softly, her eyes warm.

"You're right," he said smiling at her. "It's just you and me." Looking into her eyes, he knew that there was nothing he wouldn't do for her.

They kissed again and Allison brought her hands up to his shirt, tugging up on the hem.

Jon lifted the shirt up over his head and tossed it to the floor.

The newlyweds made quick work of the rest of their clothes- their newfound relationship and the two month separation had made them hungry for affection.

"Kiss me," Allison said when they were both naked and under the sheets.

Jon didn't need to be told twice, he crashed his lips to hers feeling whole for the first time in weeks. "Allie..."

"I know," she whimpered. "I've needed this so badly..."

"I need you," he said softly, kissing her neck. "Always."

Allison's eyes grew teary again as their kisses grew even more passionate and their bodies were hot against each other. "Jon please," she begged.

With one swift movement, Jon was inside her. He propped himself up on his arms and looked down at her. "My Allie..."

"Always your Allie," she said, gazing at him intently.

Jon was revelling in how great it felt to be with her like this again. He was filled with how she felt, her scent, her smile and what it did to him to hear her say his name in that throaty voice of hers.

She tried to stifle her cries and thought again that they forgot to put a silencing charm on the room. "Jon," she arched her back.

"Mmmm," Jon murmured against her skin.

"I love you so much," Allison said as a few tears fell. "So much Jon."

Jon wiped the tears from her cheek. "I love you, too."

She nearly bit his shoulder as a warmth filled her insides and Jon was slumping on top of her. "You're really amazing," Allison said as he rolled off to her side and pulled the sheets around them.

"It's all you," he whispered as she cuddled closer, resting her head on his chest.

They lay together in silence for a few minutes. "I hope Frankie's not angry with me for not coming back. I don't want her to be worried." Allison said.

"I think she'll realise where you are," Jon said. "But you can owl her..."

"That would probably be a good idea," Allison said, pushing the sheets back. "You have no idea how great she's been since we got back to school. It's like she matured overnight or something."

"She was concerned about you," Jon said watching as she threw his shirt on and walked over to his desk. "And she helped me set all of this up. We couldn't have done this without her."

"We both really owe her one," Allison said, sitting down in the chair.

"I promised her a shopping spree at Honeydukes next time I was in Hogsmeade," Jon said, getting out of bed. He put his boxers back on and walked over to his wife kissing the top of her head. "Are you hungry?"

"A little bit," Allison said as she jotted off a quick note. "Making love to you always makes me hungry," she teased.

He laughed. "Well, you stay right here and I'll be right back with your surprise."

"Another surprise?" Allison asked but he was already out of the room. She sat back on the bed and looked at the engagement ring and wedding band on her left hand ring finger. She could still hardly believe she was a married woman. This morning she had woken up so depressed and now it was hard for her to think she'd been that sad.

"Close your eyes," Jon called out as he stood outside the bedroom door. "Are they closed?"

"Yes," Allison replied with a smile.

Jon walked back inside the bedroom carrying two slices of birthday cake. One of the slices had a single lit candle on top of it. He smiled as he sat down on the bed. "Okay, you can open them now."

She opened her eyes. "Oh!" Allison exclaimed.

"Happy Birthday," he said softly. "Go on, make a wish and blow out the candle..."

"I don't know what else I could possibly wish for," she began but closed her eyes. I wish my family would accept me and Jon being together... Allison took a deep breath and blew it out.

"Don't tell me what your wish was," he said handing her the plate. "If you tell me, then it won't come true."

"I won't," Allison replied. "But I have a feeling we'll know the outcome sooner rather than later."

Jon nodded and leaned back against the pillows. He laughed. "I haven't felt this good or this happy since that last night we were together, Allie."

"Me either," she replied, nibbling at her cake. "I don't think my marks have ever been so good but that's because if I'm not studying then I'm thinking about you."

"I imagine your parents are happy about that at least," Jon said.

"I suppose," Allison replied, shrugging. "I haven't talked to them since we went back to school. They sent me a present this morning but it's sitting on my nightstand. I didn't open it."

Jon took her plate and set it on the nightstand with his. He hated being the cause of her problems with her parents. He could still see the angry, murderous look on Neville's face when he'd found them here a few months ago. He remembered running after them and banging on the Longbottoms’ door wanting to explain. His own father had to come and drag him away. Things hadn't been the same for anyone since then.

"They'll have to accept this now," Allison traced his cheek. "No one can force us apart now Jon."

"No one," Jon agreed kissing her. "No one."

"Because we're married," Allison giggled. "Married, married, MARRIED!"

"We're what?" Jon asked pulling her on top of him.

"Married!" Allison kissed him hard.

Jon kissed her back. "Don't worry about the silencing charm. Josh left a note. He's staying in Lizzy's flat tonight. So, you know what that means, don't you?" he asked grinning mischievously up at her.

"We can be as loud as we want this time?" Allison asked impishly.

They made love again, neither of them knowing that all hell was about to break loose in a few short hours.

20. Chapter 20

Authors’ note: Thanks for the great response on the last chapter! This is the chapter you’ve all been waiting for---the fallout from Jon/Allie’s wedding. And at the end---there’s a little something extra….

CHAPTER TWENTY

The next morning Neville retrieved the paper and brought it into the kitchen as he and his wife enjoyed breakfast. "Did you hear from Allie or Frankie?" he asked as he sat down and sipped his coffee.

Cho sadly shook her head. "Allison's still giving us the silent treatment. I thought she would have at least written to thank us for the gift. I hate this, Neville."

Neville shook his head as well. "I don't like it either. But I stand by what I've said all along. Allison took advantage of us letting her date at such a young age. I don't even think we should let Frankie do that until she's out of school."

"I just couldn't believe she'd lie to us like that," Cho said. "She's never been like this---sneaking around, lying to us. I hope someday that she realises that we did what we did because we love her."

"She will sooner or later," Neville replied, opening the paper. "Allie's a mature girl, despite all this."

Cho nodded and stood up. "You want some more coffee love?"

"Sure," Neville replied. He turned the page and his eyes bugged out.

"Here you are," Cho said handing a mug. "Neville? What is it?"

Neville's hands shook with rage. "Married yesterday in Muggle London; Allison Longbottom and Jonathan Weasley." his face turned a reddish purple in colour.

"What?" Cho asked taking the paper from her husband. "This has to be a mistake. Allie's at Hogwarts..."

Neville shook his head. "This can't be true. She wouldn't do this Cho."

Cho was speechless as she read over the names again and again. As much as she wanted it not to be true, the evidence of it was staring back at her in black and white lettering.

Neville took the paper back. "I'm going over to his flat," he snapped. "Find out for myself if this is true or not."

"I-I should come with you," Cho said quickly. She was afraid of what her husband might do if he went over there like this alone.

Neville was silent as he pulled his trainers on. "If this is true..." he said as he and his wife left the house.

Meanwhile at Jon's flat, he and Allie were just waking up.

"Good morning wife," he said sleepily.

"Morning husband," Allison smiled and gave him a light, closed mouth kiss.

"I was so scared that I'd wake up and you wouldn't be here," he said softly. "Like it was all just a dream."

"Not a dream," Allison replied. "I'm still here and we're still married."

Jon smiled and was about to kiss her again when they were both startled by the sound of a pounding on the front door.

"Bloody Josh," Jon mumbled. "Probably forgot his keys again..."

"Hurry back," Allison said as he got out of bed and put on some clothes.

"Don't you go anywhere," Jon said over his shoulder as he left the bedroom. The pounding on the door persisted and Jon shook his head and laughed.

"Okay, okay," he called back. "I need to get back to my..."

His voice trailed off as he swung open the door to reveal not Josh, but Cho and Neville Longbottom---a very angry Cho and Neville Longbottom.

Neville glared at the young man who obviously looked shocked at seeing them. "Hello Jonathan," he said coldly. "Is it true?"

Jon stared back at them unsure of what to say. He didn't know how they would have found out. "Yes, sir."

Neville hadn't expected Jon to own up to it right away. "So you pulled my daughter out of school and dragged her into London to marry her," he snapped.

"Dad it wasn't Jon's fault," Allison was standing in the doorway, fully dressed. "I agreed to it."

"Allison," Cho said pushing past her husband and walking into the flat. "What on earth possessed you to do this?"

"I love him," Allison said, crossing her arms. "If you think out of sight out of mind is working you're both quite mistaken."

"But you're so young," Cho said tears welling up in her eyes. An alarming thought came into her mind and she almost didn't dare voice it. "Please tell me that you're not pregnant..."

"I'm not," Allison replied. "Don't worry, I'm not going to be the first to make you both grandparents." she left the doorway and went to her husband's side.

Jon put an arm around her and looked at Neville. "I love your daughter very much, Mr. Longbottom."

"You're both too young to know what true love is," Neville snapped, tossing the paper aside.

"How did you find out about this?" Allison asked.

"The Daily Prophet," Cho replied. "Surely you remember how anytime someone gets married in our world; the announcement appears in the next day's newspaper."

"I didn't know," Allison said softly.

"There's plenty of things you don't know," Neville retorted. "Allison, do you have any idea what you've done?"

"Yes," Allison said with tears in her eyes. "I married the man I love more than anything in the world. I don't see what's so wrong with that!" she shouted.

Neville shook his head. "Get your things. We're taking you back to school. I'm sure this marriage isn't legal or binding."

"Yes it is," Jon replied. "We had it performed by a vicar. Allison and I are both of age."

Cho stared at the two teenagers, hurt beyond belief. She lifted up Allison's hand and looked at the wedding band on her finger.

"Allie," she said softly. "You're married..."

Allison nodded as her eyes teared up again.

"We'll have it annulled," Neville said simply. "You two have no idea what you've done. You're wrapped in some idea that you're in love..."

"WE ARE IN LOVE!" Jon screamed. He hadn't meant to get upset but he wasn't going to stand here and have Allison taken away from him again.

Neville stared frostily at the young man. "That means nothing here." he said flatly.

"Maybe not to you," Jon retorted. "But it means something to us. I love Allie more than anything in this world. I’d do anything for her. We’ve both been miserable these past couple of months. I know you thought that distance might change things and we’d not think about each other, but it didn’t work. It won’t work. We love each other and we made a commitment to each other yesterday…"

Cho stared at her middle daughter. "Allison," she said softly. "My baby got married..."

Another pounding on the door interrupted them and Jon opened it. "Dad? What are you doing here?"

"What is this?" Ron asked, holding the same copy of the Daily Prophet that Neville had.

"My wedding announcement?" Jon asked stupidly. Throughout this entire ordeal, his parents had been quite supportive of his and Allison's relationship. He hoped that hadn't changed. He and Allison needed someone in their corner right now.

"Your mum's a bit upset," Ron replied. "That you went and got married without telling us."

"I'm sorry, Dad," Jon said, ushering him inside. "We really didn't have much time to plan..."

"Obviously," Neville interjected. "Your son was too busy kidnapping our daughter."

Ron's eyes cooled as he looked at the Longbottoms. "My son didn't kidnap her. He's never been anything but respectful to this girl." he laid a hand on each of their shoulders.

"Respectful?" Neville asked in disbelief. "He took advantage of her and made her lie to her parents, Ron. Not to mention the fact that he took her away from school and forced her to get married."

"It wasn't like that, Mr. Longbottom," Jon said. He looked at his father. "Dad, you know I wouldn't have done that."

"I'm not especially pleased that you went and got married Jon," Ron ignored his ex friends who were glaring at the three of them. "But if this is what you both want you know Luna and I will support you."

"It is, Dad," Jon said gratefully.

Ron nodded. "Welcome to the family Allison," he gave his new daughter in law a hug, glaring back at Cho and Neville.

"Thank you, Mr. Weasley," Allison said softly, hugging him back.

Neville shook his head. "Allison Catherine Longbottom, get your things right now."

"You know something?" Ron asked furiously. "You're acting just like your Gran did when you wanted to marry Cho."

"No, I'm not," Neville said dismissively. "There's a big difference there, Ronald. Cho and I were in love and my Gran thought she was after money. And Cho wasn't still in school, was she? The simple fact here is that they are too young to be sleeping together and they are way too young to be married. Of course, I'm not as lax in my parenting skills as some people..."

"Neville!" Cho exclaimed, shocked at his words.

"So you're saying I'm a bad parent?" Ron asked, his face turning red in his anger. "I can't believe this is you Neville. I'd have NEVER in my life thought you'd be this way!"

"I'd have never thought my 17-year old daughter would run off and get married," Neville spat at him. "My daughter has her whole life ahead of her, Ron. This isn't what she wants."

"Yes it is!" Allison said angrily. "How could you sit there and decide my future for me Dad? Getting married isn't going to ruin anything for me!"

"It's what we both want," Jon said putting an arm around his wife. "We were...we were going to move in together after Allie graduated."

That almost seemed to take the wind out of Neville's sails and he sat down on the sofa heavily.

"We know this isn't going to be easy," Jon continued. "But we want to be together. We ARE going to be together. We'd like your support."

Cho stared at her daughter with watery eyes. "Oh sweetheart," she said, holding out her arms.

Allison hugged her mother. "It was a really nice ceremony, Mum. Josh even took some pictures."

Cho kissed her daughter's head. "I'm so sorry Allie. We both are."

"Are you?" Allison asked looking at her father. "Daddy, please?"

Neville stood up. "If this is really what you want Allison..."

Allison stepped closer to her father. "It's all I've ever wanted. Do you think I ever saw myself getting married without you and Mum there? We did what we had to do because you wouldn't listen. We had no other choice Dad."

Neville looked completely deflated and for the first time to Allison, her father looked old. "Allie, sweetheart we just wanted what we thought was best for you--"

"Jon loves me Dad," Allison said looking to her husband who stood by her side. "I'm sorry for lying to you and I'm sorry for what happened at Jon's flat a few months back when you saw us...but I'm not going to apologise for how I feel."

Neville realised as he stared at his daughter that she was right. He couldn't break them up no matter how he tried and he realised now that if he kept acting this way, he would definitely lose her forever. "I'm sorry sweetheart," he said, his voice cracking.

"It's not just me you should apologise to," Allison said her own voice trembling.

Neville hugged her tightly then looked over at Ron and his now son in law. "I'm sorry Jonathan," he said, holding his hand out.

Jon shook his hand. "I'm sorry too, sir."

Neville shook his head. "This is a lot to get through," he replied. "I'm still not pleased that the two of you went off and got married. But I suppose you're right. We can't force you both to get this annulled."

"If this is what you truly want, Allie," Cho said. "We'll support you."

Allison burst into tears. "Thank you both," she sobbed, hugging her parents.

"Mum's really okay with this, too?" Jon asked his father.

"Like I said," Ron replied. "She's upset that we weren't informed."

"I know," Jon said apologetically. "We would have loved to have had all of you there."

"We were hoping that once I graduated, that we could have a reception," Allison said, going back to Jon's side. "Maybe... we could have another wedding ceremony too. A proper one this time."

"Two wedding nights," Jon said grinning at his wife. He looked at Neville sheepishly. "Sorry, sir. I kind of inherited that old foot in mouth thing from my dad."

"That's my boy," Ron clapped his shoulder.

"Of course," Cho hugged her daughter again. "That's exactly what we'll do."

Cho pulled away and looked at the rings on her daughter's left hand. "Those are really beautiful, Allie. Your boyfr-...husband has good taste."

Allison wiped her eyes with her right hand. "Thanks Mum. I think he has the best taste." she smiled at him.

Jon beamed at her. "Josh had to transfigure the wedding bands, though. I only thought about the engagement ring."

"Where did you... get married at?" Neville grimaced at his words. He may have accepted what had happened but he still wasn't overly pleased about it.

"A Muggle church a few streets over," Jon answered.

"And you have a marriage certificate?" Neville asked.

"Yes, Dad," Allison said, trying to keep her emotions in check. She hoped her father wasn't trying to find some loophole to get her out of the marriage. "We're legally married if that's what you're getting at."

Neville stuffed his hands in his pockets. "Just wanted to be sure sweetheart." he was a bit overcome at that moment as he looked at her. "I'm just..."

"What?" she asked coming over to him. "What is it, Dad?"

"Hard for me to believe this," he replied, putting a hand on her cheek. "That you're married."

"I know, Dad," Allison said softly. "It's hard for me to believe too. But it wasn't a mistake or something I want to change. I hope you can accept that. Yesterday when we said our vows, I was so nervous and scared, but I knew that what we were doing was right. Jon's a good man, Dad. We're going to take care of each other and support each other just like you and Mum."

Neville hugged her. "I'm sorry sweetheart." he said, kissing the top of her head. "I'm sorry for keeping the two of you apart."

Allison couldn't believe he was actually accepting their marriage. This was the best present he could have ever given her. Tears flowed down her cheeks as she looked at Jon over her father's shoulder.

Cho looked at Ron. "I'm sorry for the awful things that we said to you and Luna, Ron. We didn't really mean them. I hope you know that."

Ron smiled at her for the first time in a few months. "I'm sure everything will work out now. I'd like to see Harry's face if we went over there," he grinned. "Probably wouldn't know what to do with himself."

Cho laughed. "We weren't very fair to him and Hermione, asking them to pick sides. I just didn't want Allison to end up like me, Ron. Pregnant and alone. I know Jon would never do anything like that to her, but I was still worried. I hope you can understand that."

"I wouldn't," Jon replied. "Allison means a lot to me," he said as she came back by his side.

"We want to someday have a family," Allison said resting her head on his shoulder. "But only when the time is right."

"That's a mature decision," Cho smiled at her.

"So how exactly is this going to work?" Neville asked. "You still have your last year to finish, Allie."

Allison bit her lower lip. "Well... we were going to owl Dumbledore to find a way for me to get back to school today. I'll finish out the year and maybe Jon can come on Hogsmeade weekends like we had planned during the summer. And on Christmas holiday next month we can spend time together as well."

"Uncle George and Uncle Fred have a room over their shop in Hogsmeade," Jon said. "I was hoping they'd let me stay there on weekends."

"Do you think Dumbledore would let you in the school on the weekends?" Allison asked.

"It couldn't hurt to ask," Jon said with a smile.

Allison hugged him as the three adults excused themselves and went into the kitchen. "My birthday wish came true," she whispered. "This is exactly what I wanted!"

"I still don't think your dad's thrilled, but at least he accepts it...accepts us," Jon said hugging her back.

"I know," Allison said, crying yet again. "It all seems too good to be true but I'm not going to question it."

"Me either," Jon said resting his forehead on hers. "I love you, Allie. I'd do anything to make you happy."

"You have," she replied, her arms around his neck. "I'm the happiest wife alive."

"I'm the happiest husband alive," he said, kissing her softly. "I hope we can spend some time alone together before you have to go back to school."

"I suppose we should see what Dumbledore can do to help, if he can. For all I know, I'll have to take the train back from King's Cross." Allison replied, not wanting to be separated from Jon.

"We'll figure something out," Jon promised. "And I'm going to go back with you, Al."

"Really?" Allison asked. "I wish you could stay the rest of the year with me. It'll be better now that we don't have to hide it anymore."

"I know," Jon said kissing her forehead.

From the kitchen, Cho looked at the newlyweds. "They look really happy, don't they?"

"Yeah," Neville nodded. "Happiest I've ever seen either one of them."

"It was a good thing that you did," Ron said to his friend.

Neville nodded. "I guess I was acting a bit like my Gran," he said ruefully.

Ron raised an eyebrow. "Look Neville... I want to let bygones be bygones too. But what you said and did- it hurt me and Luna a lot. Especially Luna."

"How would you have felt if you'd walked in on them like I had?" Neville asked defensively. "What would you have done if you'd caught Drew or Darla or Maddie like that, Ron?"

"I wouldn't be happy," Ron raised a hand when Neville opened his mouth. "But the fact of the matter is- you've known Jon his whole life. You know that he'd never do anything to hurt Allison, but you tried to break them apart and it took them bloody getting married without ANY of us there for you to see that they want to be together."

Neville leaned against the counter for support. Ron was right. His behaviour since Allison and Jon started seeing each other had led them to take desperate, drastic measures. His little girl, who he'd always told time and time again that she could come to him and Cho if she had a problem, had done something so grown up to prove her point.

"What if a couple months down the line they decide they don't want to be married?" Neville asked.

"Then it's their mistake to make," Cho said quietly.

"For what its worth, and I'm not a marriage counsellor by any stretch, I think they'll stay together." Ron replied. "He never stops talking about her. When she came to Ireland after we all came back from Hillsdale they were almost joined at the hip. Luna and I love her like one of our own; we have since she was born."

"You certainly have," Cho said. "And we treated Jonathan so horribly, Ron. Sorry doesn't even begin to make up for what we did."

"Well," Ron said with a smile. "We're trying right? It's going to take a little while but we'll eventually get back to the way things were."

"I'm sorry too," Neville said looking at his old friend. "I went too far..."

"Well you've apologised to me," Ron said. "I hope you'll go talk to Luna. She's really devastated over this. You know how she is about keeping her friends close."

"We will," Cho promised.

The door suddenly burst open and Josh had his eyes covered with his hand. "Okay, newlyweds...I hope you're decent..."

"JOSH!" Jon hissed to his brother. "We're not alone..."

"What?" Josh asked, baffled. "Who else would be here?"

"Hello, Joshua," Ron said waving from the kitchen.

"Dad?" Josh blinked. "What are you doing here?"

"I came to see if your brother had actually gotten married," Ron said, standing back as Cho and Neville walked out of the kitchen. "And so did they..."

"Oh," Josh froze at the sight of the Longbottoms. "How... how did you all find out?"

"The Daily Prophet," Allison said softly. "It lists all the witches and wizards who get married, despite where they actually do get married at."

"Oh," Josh said. "I remember that!"

"Yes, well I wish you would have brought that to our attention yesterday," Jon teased his brother.

"Sorry," Josh replied. "But seeing as how we ran out of here and were looking for a church it slipped my mind."

"I'm just having a go at you," Jon said.

Josh looked at his brother and Allison and saw that both of them were smiling. Even more confusing to him was the fact that Cho and Neville while not smiling, did seem okay. "Am I missing something?"

Ron smiled at his son. "A lot of air has been cleared up by this," he replied.

"Good," Josh said. "All this fighting went on entirely too long, if you don't mind me saying."

"It did," Cho agreed. "Jon," she put a hand on his shoulder. "We trust you'll take care of our little girl."

Jon smiled. "Well, she's probably going to have her hands full with me. But, thank you, Mrs. Longbottom. I love her very much."

"Then I guess that's all we can ask for," Neville spoke up.

Ron grinned and put his arm around Cho. "How about we take everyone out for breakfast before Allie has to go back to school?"

"Nice to know that hasn't changed," Neville grinned at him. "You being hungry all the time. Did I not just see you eat a bag of crisps in the kitchen?"

"That was just a snack," Ron said defensively. "Besides, Luna and I were getting ready to eat when we saw the paper. She said I couldn't have breakfast until I found out what was going on. And just for that, Longbottom. You're buying. You are the father of the bride, after all."

"All right," Neville agreed. "But you only get one meal Weasley. Not three."

"How do you figure that one out?" Ron asked. "Come on, Neville. If my entire family was here, that'd be Luna, Drew, Darla, R.J., and Maddie. They're not. So, that's...five meals right there."

"Dad you're the only one that could pack that much food away," Jon teased, his arm around his wife's shoulders.

"I just wish I knew where it went," Cho said frowning. "He eats and eats and never gains a stone. It's bloody unfair!"

Ron grinned proudly. "That's my secret," he replied, clapping Josh on the shoulder.

Allison grinned at Jon as they left the flat. "I'm still in a bit of shock here," she whispered. "I'm not dreaming right?"

"I was thinking the same thing," Jon said clasping her hand. "I thought your dad was going to kill me when I first saw him."

"You and me both," Allison replied. "Pinch me."

"Do I get to choose where?" he asked cheekily.

"Better be somewhere appropriate for now," she giggled.

Jon pinched her arm. "You're not dreaming, Al."

"Good." They fell a step behind everyone else and she gave him a kiss. "I love you so much Jon. I'm glad we got married."

"Me too," he said pulling her close. "Me too."

*** *** ***

With the help of Dumbledore and Professor McGonagall, Allison managed to sneak back into Hogwarts later that afternoon as if she hadn't left at all. She knew the Daily Prophet must have arrived with lunch but she guessed that no one had paid attention to the wedding announcement for not a word was said and she passed many people in the corridors.

Once back in Gryffindor Tower, Allison went and knocked on the third year girls' dormitory. "Frankie?" she called out.

Frankie had been studying on her bed and she looked up in surprise when she saw her sister. "Allie? I can't believe you stayed out all night at Jon's. I mean, I got your owl, but I was so worried..."

"I'm okay," Allison replied. "Thanks for helping Jon arrange that."

Frankie hugged her sister. "I couldn't think of what else to get you for your birthday."

"Best present ever," Allison laughed hugging her back. "Listen... I want to tell you something rather important. A few things actually."

Frankie nodded and sat down on her bed. "What is it? Mum and Dad didn't find out about Jon, Allie. I swear, I didn't tell them!"

"Well that's part of it." Allison had to suppress her grin as she held out her left hand so Frankie could see the rings.

Frankie's jaw nearly dropped to the floor. "Is that…oh my God! Allie, did you get...oh my God!"

"Jon and I got married yesterday," Allison said hugging herself. "In London."

"Oh, Allie!" Frankie said nearly bouncing up and down on the bed. "That's so romantic!"

Allison laughed. "It was terribly romantic, really." she gave her sister some of the details but kept the ones of the wedding night to herself. "Well... the announcement was in the Daily Prophet this morning. And you know what Dad does every morning when he has his coffee..."

"Oh," Frankie's face fell. "Mum and Dad found out. Did they do anything to Jon?"

"Quite the opposite, actually. They didn't like the fact that we went and got married but they're not going to make us keep apart anymore." Allison grinned.

"Wow," Frankie said, stunned. "I can't believe it..."

"I had to make Jon pinch me to see if I was dreaming," Allison confessed. "And when they first came over I thought Dad was going to kill Jon right there on the spot."

"What made him change his mind?" Frankie asked.

"I guess just the fact that we both said we were married and that we weren't going to take being apart anymore," Allison said pensively. "I still don't think they're very happy but they'll get used to it."

"Does Chiaki know?" Frankie asked. "You probably told her first, didn't you?"

"Actually I haven't talked to her at all yet," Allison said. "I'll send her an owl later. You're the first person I've told straight out. I haven't even said anything to Lizzy yet."

"Really?" Frankie asked excitedly. "You told me first? No one ever tells me anything first..."

Allison laughed. "You've been so great lately Frankie. I know I haven't told you that before but you have. I'm glad you're here at Hogwarts with me."

Frankie beamed at her sister. "Well, I felt bad for what happened. You were so sad, Allie. It wasn't right what Mum and Dad did."

Allison hugged her again. "Well it's all right now."

"Did you get into trouble with Dumbledore?" Frankie asked.

"Not really," Allison replied. "You know how he is. A detention for leaving Hogsmeade grounds and a bit of chastising and that was all really."

"Where's your husband?" Frankie asked giggling. "That's so strange to think that you actually have one!"

"I'm still getting used to it," Allison replied. "He's at home- but he's going to try and get his uncles to let him stay at the flat over their shop in town on the weekends, and he's going to see if Dumbledore will let him come into the school from time to time so we can see each other." she grinned. "We're going to have a proper ceremony when I finish school next year. I hope you'll be one of my bridesmaids Frankie."

"We have so much to plan!" Frankie exclaimed excitedly. "And don't let Chiaki talk you into that orange monstrosity that she wanted to put us in at her wedding. This is so great, Allie!"

Allison laughed. "We'll have fun planning this. And you can wear any colour you like."

"Do you think you'll want to wear a dress?" Frankie asked. "Or dress robes? Because I honestly think you'll look beautiful in anything, Allie. Really, you would. And you should see the letter that Jon wrote to me after I wrote to him. And I knew that I'd get in trouble if Mum or Dad found out, but I couldn't help it. Oh, Merlin. I'm talking way too much, aren't I?"

Allison laughed. "You're not in trouble, and we won't say anything to Mum or Dad, don't worry." she got up. "I'm going to go talk to Lizzy. She reads the Prophet from cover to cover so I know she won't have missed the announcement."

"Thanks, Allie," Frankie said. "For telling me first. It means a lot to me."

"Thank you," Allison said. "For helping me and Jon work this all out." she was about to leave when she turned back around. "Hey Frankie?"

"Yeah?" Frankie asked.

"If you want to go to Hogsmeade next time we have a weekend with one of your guy friends... Mum and Dad won't hear a word from me about it," Allison grinned at her conspiratorially. "And since they don't have anyone else here... guess they'd never find out if you had a couple dates... before you turned 15."

Frankie smiled. "You're the coolest, Allie."

She laughed. "I try."

*** *** ***

This little snippet is an add-on…it takes place when Saffron is a year old. This is for you guys who’ve been clamouring for some good, old-fashioned Harry and Hermione fluff.

It was a rainy Saturday afternoon and both Harry and Hermione were home for a change. Ethan was over with Nick and Julie playing video games at their house and they'd given Greta the afternoon off. Currently they were sitting in front of the fire playing with Saffron, who had grown by leaps and bounds over the past year.

"I swear, she walked a few steps the other day," Harry said. "It was right before you came home."

Hermione laughed as Saffron knocked down the tower of blocks Harry had constructed for her. "Did you just knock down Daddy's tower?" Hermione asked causing her little girl to laugh.

"You little devil," Harry reached to tickle his baby girl. "What did you do?"

"Down," Saffron said clapping her hands.

Harry laughed. "Did you knock it down?" he teased. He loved seeing her eyes light up when she talked.

Saffron reached out for his hair but Harry pulled away just in time.

"Daddy's gotten too quick for you," Harry swept his daughter into his arms.

Hermione smiled as she watched them. At one year old, Saffron definitely had Harry wrapped around her little finger. Hermione started to stack the building blocks again knowing that nothing gave Saffron more pleasure than knocking things down.

Harry lifted his daughter's shirt and began to blow raspberries on her stomach.

Saffron giggled. "Dada!"

Harry loved hearing her say that word. "I'm going to tickle you!" he said, leaning over and wiggling his fingers.

Hermione laughed. "Come here, baby. Mummy will save you!"

"Mama!" Saffron reached for her mother.

Harry helped Saffron get to her feet and held her hands as the baby gingerly took some steps toward Hermione.

"Ooh look at my big girl!" Hermione praised.

Hermione scooped the little girl up in her arms and hugged her tightly. "Want to try walking to Daddy now?"

"Dada!" Saffron said excitedly. "Dada!!"

Harry stepped back and held out his arms as Hermione placed Saffron on her feet again.

"Come on baby," he said crooking his finger at her. "You can do it."

Saffron put out one chubby baby leg in front of the other and with the help of her mother, toddled unsteadily over to Harry.

Hermione and Harry smiled at each other. "That's my girl," Harry said grinning at Saffron. "We're going to have you on a broom before you know it!"

"Dada!" Saffron held out her arms to him.

Hermione bit her bottom lip as Saffron took steps on her own toward her father. "That's it Saffy. That's it!"

Harry's grin grew even wider as his littlest walked her first steps by herself. "I can't believe it!" he said in delight.

"Who's a big girl?" Hermione asked, wiping a tear from her cheek.

Harry scooped Saffron up and then tossed her in the air. "My smart big girl," he said with a goofy grin.

Saffron giggled. "Dada...walk!"

"That's right baby," Harry said. "Saffy's a good walker!"

Hermione beamed at her daughter. "How about some juice to celebrate the milestone?"

"Mama!" Saffron screamed excitedly.

Hermione laughed. "I'll take that as a yes."

Harry passed his excited child over to Hermione. "I'll go get the juice," he said with a smile.

Hermione nodded and kissed Saffron’s cheek. "You are getting so big!"

"Big!" Saffron repeated with a toothy grin. "Big girl!"

"That's right," Hermione said. "And I bet your Daddy brings you a treat with your juice. What do you think? "

Saffron giggled as she reached out to topple the tower of blocks. "Down!"

"You are getting too good at that," Hermione said as Saffron plopped down on the floor and started rebuilding the tower herself.

"Help Mama," Saffron said.

Hermione sat down beside her daughter and helped Saffron build the tower up again. "Want to make it really big and tall this time?"

"Help!" Saffron placed a block on top of her mother's. "Tall Mama!"

"You want to use a blue or a red one next?" Hermione asked. She hadn't noticed Harry as he came back into the sitting room.

"Red Mama!" Saffron clapped excitedly.

Hermione handed Saffron the red block. "Be really careful so you don't knock it down, okay?"

"No down Mama," Saffron said, placing the block on top. "No down!"

"We won't knock it down baby," Hermione promised. "Not until you're ready. How about a green one next?"

Saffron excitedly took the block and placed it on. Harry was pleased that his youngest daughter was smart just like her mother and he was still grinning as he handed Hermione her bottle of juice and then Saffron's special cup.

"Thank you kind sir," Hermione said smiling at him. Saffron kept building her tower of blocks and Hermione winced as the tower nearly fell as Saffron placed a purple block on top. Somehow the blocks steadied themselves and tower remained intact. Hermione raised an eyebrow at her husband who looked away.

"You do that?" she whispered to him.

"Maybe," he muttered. "Look how excited she is."

Before too long the tower was taller than Saffron and she couldn't reach the top. "Dada!" she cried out looking at Harry.

"Do you need help baby?" Harry asked, setting his juice on the table.

Saffron's lower lip began to tremble as she realised the tower was now bigger than she was.

"Daddy will help you Saffy," Hermione said soothingly.

"Help Dada," Saffron said, holding out a block. "Help!"

Hermione knew her husband was using wandless magic to keep the tower upstanding. Without it, the tower would have fallen long ago.

"Okay," Harry said scooping her up. "There you go Saffy. Put it right there on top..."

"No down Dada!" Saffron wiggled excitedly as she set her final red block on the top of her tower.

"No, we won't knock it down baby," Harry said laughing. "Look at what you did! That has to be the tallest tower I've ever seen!"

Saffron clapped her hands excitedly then reached for her juice. "Me drink!" she screamed happily.

"Here you go," Hermione said handing her the cup.

Saffron eyed up both her parents as she drank thirstily. "Down?" she asked.

"After all that hard work you want to knock it down?" Hermione asked pinching Saffron's nose. "You're sure? You really, really, really want to knock it down?"

"Down Mama!" Saffron said, jumping as Harry held her little hands.

"Okay," Hermione said laughing. "On the count of three, okay? One. Two...."

"Down!" Saffron squealed as Harry propelled her towards the tower.

"Three!" Hermione called out as Saffron knocked the tower down sending blocks everywhere. "And they all fell down!"

"Yay!" Saffron squealed and giggled as Harry laughed.

"I could listen to her laugh like that forever," Hermione said smiling at Harry.

"Same here," Harry replied as Saffron grabbed for her cup again. "She's just so amazing to watch. Even when she's just sleeping."

"When I was pregnant with her, I was wondering what I was thinking getting pregnant now with all that was going on," Hermione said thoughtfully. "But every day with her has been a blessing. She's a gift."

"She really is," Harry said, grasping his daughter's hands again as she tried to toddle her way over to him. "Does my little Saffy want to walk?"

"She's going to be going all over the place now," Hermione laughed as Saffron stumbled, but got herself right back up. "And she is not going to be getting on any brooms anytime soon, Harry. You can get that idea out of your head right now."

"Oh come on Hermione, she'll be the one to break the mould and love flying," Harry protested.

"I can barely stand to watch Ethan up there," Hermione said stubbornly. "I'd have a heart attack to see my baby girl up there..."

"Maybe once she's not a baby anymore," Harry said mischievously, still holding on with one hand as Saffron did her best to stay on her two little feet.

"Okay, we'll talk about it then," Hermione relented. "But I've got to tell you the odds are not in your favour. Julie took after me about flying. And I think Saffron will be the same."

"Shall we wager on that?" Harry's eyes glinted as he let his gaze wander over Hermione's figure.

"Depends on the terms," Hermione said.

"One night of love with your rabbit king," Harry grinned wickedly.

Hermione rolled her eyes. "I can get that anytime I want."

"I can make it extra special," Harry bragged as he gingerly let go of Saffron's other hand but not leaving his spot behind her.

Saffron took steps toward Hermione who beamed at her daughter. "She's a natural! That's it! Come on, Saffy! One more step....there you go!"

"Mama!" Saffron grinned proudly. "Walk!"

"Yes you did!" Hermione said clapping her hands. "You just wait until Ethan and Julie find out what you did today!"

"Big girl!" Saffron threw herself at her mother for a hug.

"Big girl," Hermione agreed hugging her tightly.

"Fly," Saffron said as she hugged her mother. "Fly Mama."

"DID YOU HEAR THAT?" Harry crowed. "FLY!"

"Yes I heard that," Hermione said. "And I think they heard you in Spain. So she said the word fly, she probably just picked it up from you and I talking about it. Babies do that, you know..."

"Fly Mama," Saffron said again.

"You want to fly Saffy?" Harry ignored his wife's glare. "On a broom?"

"Boom!" Saffron grinned. "Fly! Boom!"

Hermione sighed and looked at Harry. "You are so loving this right now, aren't you?"

"Of course I am," Harry replied. "Maybe I'll take her out--"

"Over my dead body," Hermione interjected. "Not until she's older, Harry."

"I can wait until she's two," Harry teased.

"I was thinking more along the lines of 11," Hermione said. "That's when I had my first flying lesson."

"She'll love it long before that," Harry replied. "Especially living in this house with me and Ethan around."

Hermione wanted to argue with him, but she had a feeling he was right. Saffron already loved to do whatever her father and brother did and Hermione knew that flying would probably be no exception.

21. Chapter 21

A/N: We wrote this recently JUST for you guys, since we actually never originally intended on doing N/J’s wedding. But so many people wanted it that we just had to get it down on paper- or rather, Microsoft Word ;)

As always, please let us know what you think by leaving a review! And in the next chapter we’ll be making quite a jump into the future to when Ethan’s 20 and a certain blonde is turning his head…. ;)

"Nicholas," the vicar said grinning at the happy groom. "You may kiss your bride…"

Nick gently pulled back Julie's veil. His wife's eyes were shining with tears but she was smiling.

He leaned in and pressed his lips to hers, wanting to savour this moment as long as possible. Getting married wasn't something he'd ever thought he would do but he hadn't counted on meeting Julie.

Julie was a little dazed when they pulled apart. She barely heard the vicar introducing them to the guests as "Mr. and Mrs. Nicholas Tarrington Malfoy."

Nick smiled and caressed her cheek before kissing her again, and they clasped hands as they walked down the centre aisle together.

"Jules," Nick pulled her into a tight hug as they got outside the chapel. "We actually did it Jules! We're married and there's nothing anyone can do about it now!"

"I was a little worried when the vicar got to the part about if anyone could show just cause while..." Julie said with a laugh, hugging him back.

"All that matters now is that we're married," Nick kissed her as people began to file out of the chapel.

Chiaki was beaming at her best friend. "We're old married girls now, Jules!"

Julie laughed. "And it never felt better!" she hugged Chiaki. "Thanks for everything you've done Chi."

"I didn't do anything special," Chiaki said modestly. "Just what you did for me on my wedding day."

"You're the best," Julie said as Nick stepped forward to hug his half sister.

"You take care of my girl," Chiaki said in her most stern voice. "Or I'll make you pay, Mr. Malfoy."

"No worries," Nick grinned at her. "There's nothing I wouldn't do for this one." he had his arm around his bride's waist.

Molly and Arthur came out and Molly dissolved into tears again as she took in the newlyweds. She buried her face in her handkerchief while Arthur patted her back.

"Nana," Nick said grinning at her. "I hope those are tears of joy."

"Of course they are love," Molly sobbed. "I'm just so happy for you both!"

Nick gave his grandmother a hug while Arthur did the same with Julie. Julie searched the crowd for her parents, but couldn't find them anywhere. She supposed they were waiting for the masses to clear, but for some reason Julie wanted to see them more than anything.

R.J. and Maddie had served as the ring bearer and flower girl after Ethan had adamantly refused to be a ring bearer ever again after the fiasco (his words) with Chiaki's wedding. So her only brother had been promoted to groomsman.

"Guess what!" Maddie skipped up to them. "Ethan promised to dance with me later!"

"He did?" Chiaki asked in surprise.

"He promised he would only if I promised that I won't go around and say that we're getting married," Maddie recited.

"You're not giving up are you Mad Dog?" Jon asked scooping his little sister up in his arms.

"No but I really want to dance," Maddie giggled.

"Me too," Nick said grabbing his new wife and swaying with her.

Julie shook her head. "Not just yet. We have to pose for pictures with the wedding party."

"At least we have the ride to the reception to snog," Nick whispered in her ear.

"I want to dance with you too Nick!" Maddie bubbled. "And with Daddy, and Jon, and Josh! And Grandpa!"

"I'm going to dance with Steven, Curtis, Brian, Timothy and David," Frankie announced. She tugged on her bridesmaid dress trying to make it shorter.

"Only if Dad let's you," Allison said. She and Frankie were bridesmaids for Julie's wedding and she was happy that it had allowed her to walk down the aisle with her own husband.

"What he doesn't know won't hurt him," Frankie scoffed. She caught sight of one of Hermione's cousins. "WHO IS THAT?"

Allison caught Chiaki's glance and they both rolled their eyes.

"He's 23 years old," Chiaki said shaking her head. "Mum and Dad are going to have their hands full with you, Francesca."

Frankie lifted her chin. "Just because I want to date a lot of boys? That's stupid."

"Define a lot of boys," Neville said coming up behind his daughters and putting a hand on Frankie's shoulder.

"We're just talking Dad," Allison smiled at her father. "You know how Frankie is."

"Aye, I do." Neville laughed and he moved on to congratulate Nick and Julie while Frankie shot her sister a look of gratitude.

"Just be on the lookout tonight Frankie," Allison said, not forgetting how her younger sister had come through for her the previous year. "I'll cover for you if I can, but don't take advantage of it all right?"

"I won't," Frankie promised. "Thanks Allie."

Julie still hadn't seen her parents or Ethan or Saffron for that matter. "Maddie? Have you seen Ethan?"

"Not since we were all inside there," Maddie replied.

"Oh," Julie said.

"What's wrong love?" Nick asked.

"I don't know where my parents are," Julie said.

"Maybe they had to tend to Saffy," Allison suggested. "She looked a little antsy."

"Maybe," Julie said as a few people she recognised as her father's co-workers came up to congratulate them.

Julie's parents were staying in the chapel with Ron and Luna waiting for the crowd to die down before they went to offer their congratulations.

Saffron stumbled a bit as she walked toward her father. She wore a pretty set of pink dress robes and her brown hair was styled in two little pigtails that curled at the ends. "Daddy, swing!"

Harry laughed and picked her up and twirled her around knowing the second he put her down she'd ask him to go again.

"She's getting so big," Luna said to Hermione. "I remember when Maddie was still that young."

"And walking all over the place," Hermione said. "I think I've lost a stone chasing after her."

"You've never looked more gorgeous," Luna said. "And Julie was positively radiant today."

Hermione felt tears well up in her eyes. "She really did, didn't she? I can't believe she's married now."

Luna smiled. "At least she didn't elope."

"How are Allison and Jon doing?" Hermione asked. "They look really happy."

"Everything's quite lovely for them," Luna answered as they all began to make their way out of the chapel. "Allison's moved into the flat with Jon and Neville's finally let go of any lingering grudges he may have had against the match."

"About time," Hermione said smiling at her.

"Come on baby," Harry said to Saffron. "Let's go see your sister."

"Joos!" Saffron clapped.

Harry laughed. "That's right. Let's go see Joos."

"Big girl Daddy," Saffron chattered as Harry picked her up. "Saffy big girl!"

Ethan laughed as he walked beside Ron. "I just heard your stomach growl."

"I haven't eaten since before the ceremony began," Ron mused. "I'm ready for a big piece of cake..."

"Among other things," Ethan grinned. "Jules told me they're having prime rib at the dinner."

"You are a kid after my own heart," Ron said mussing Ethan's hair. "But we probably won't get to eat for at least two hours."

"I know where they're keeping some of the appetizers," Ethan said. "I can sneak us something when we get there."

"I like the way you think," Ron said grinning at him.

"Daddy, we've got to be back at Hogwarts tomorrow," Drew said taking her father's hand. They'd received special permission from Dumbledore to come home for the weekend for the ceremony.

"Yes I know sweetheart," Ron said as Darla took his other hand. "But tonight we're going to have loads of fun. You'll dance with me right?"

"Of course," Darla said giggling. "Just don't do that stupid chicken dance."

"Or the hokey pokey," Drew said. "That's such a childish thing."

"I'll have to teach you two the cha-cha," Ron said. "Your mum taught me, you know?"

"Mummy said you had two left feet before she taught you how to dance," Drew said innocently.

"She did, did she?" Ron asked. "Your mum needs to remember that..."

"And that you nearly blinded her with a cork," Darla interjected.

"Luna," Ron said. "What sort of lies are these?" he grinned.

"They're not lies Ronald," Luna said. "They are the complete and utter truth. Our girls wanted to hear about our courtship and I told them everything."

"Everything," Ron grumbled.

"Everything," Drew and Darla said in unison.

Julie sighed in relief as she saw her parents finally exiting the chapel. "There they are," she said.

"Joos!" Saffron said beaming at her older sister. "Pretty Joos!"

"Hey Saffy," Julie kissed her sister's cheek. "You look so pretty too!"

"You took my breath away up there, Julie Liliane," Harry told his daughter. "I was so proud."

"Thanks Dad," Julie said as he passed Saffron to Hermione so he could hug his daughter. "I was getting worried, I didn't know where you guys were."

"Just waiting for the crowds to die down," Harry explained.

"That's what Nick said," Julie leaned against her new husband.

"Welcome to the family," Harry said extending his hand to Nick. "Officially, of course."

"Thank you," Nick shook his hand firmly. "Feels great to be a Potter." he grinned.

"I imagine your Malfoy ancestors just turned over in their graves at those words," Ron teased his nephew.

"Good," Nick's eyes glinted mischievously.

"Congratulations Nick," Drew and Darla chorused earning a hug from their cousin.

"Thank you girls," Nick said. "You both look gorgeous today- I hope you'll save a dance for me later."

Drew and Darla both nodded and stood back with R.J. to wait for their parents.

"Congratulations sweetheart," Ron pecked his goddaughter's cheek. "You look stunning today."

"Thanks Uncle Ron," Julie said beaming at him. "I can thank my Aunt Lav for that."

"She's definitely got the eye," Ron chucked her chin gently. "Now... when do we eat?"

"I hate to break it to you but you have to wait until after the photographer takes pictures," she said. "Seeing as you were the best man and all."

"Aye," Ron said. "Well let's get that done so we can go get some food. I haven't eaten--"

"For about an hour," Harry interrupted dryly as Hermione embraced her daughter.

"I actually did it Mum," Julie said hugging her mother.

"As if there was any doubt you wouldn't," Hermione said, tears in her eyes. "Oh Julie you look so beautiful. We're all so proud of you sweetheart."

"I just hope that Nick and I will be as happy as you and Daddy," Julie said tearing up as well.

"You will be," Hermione predicted. "He certainly loves you, and he treats you like gold. That's all your father and I could ask for."

"He is pretty great, isn't he?" Julie gushed looking over at Nick who was talking with her father and making a goofy face at Saffron who giggled and clapped her hands.

"That he is," Hermione answered with a smile. "Looks like Saffy has her eyes on him too."

"He is quite the charmer," Julie said winking at Nick.

The photographer called for the wedding party to assemble for wedding photos and Ron volunteered to go round up the bridesmaids and groomsmen.

Julie went to her husband's side. "Come on you," she said. "Time for them to make our memories of today."

Nick smiled. "You lead the way Mrs. Malfoy."

"I can't wait for tonight more than anything," Julie said softly. "I know we've been together before, but this feels different now that we're married."

"Since we won't be living in sin any longer?" Nick teased.

Julie laughed. "I enjoyed living in sin with you." she kissed him.

"And I've finally made an honest woman out of you," Nick whispered low.

"And I've made an honest man out of you," Julie returned softly.

"Come on newlyweds," the photographer said waving them over. "I'd like to get some photographs of just the two of you to begin..."

"All right," Julie said. Chiaki helped arrange her dress and the photographer began snapping pictures of the newlyweds.

The rest of the bridal party stood huddled together watching. Jon stood beside his wife holding her hand while trying to keep an eye on R.J. and Maddie.

"They're so in love," Allison sighed.

"I wish I could have given you a wedding like this," Jon whispered.

"It's all right Jon," Allison looked at him. "We did what we had to do to be together. And I don't regret that for one second."

Jon smiled. "And we've almost made it through our first year too."

"September," Allison said, giving him a kiss. "I can hardly believe it myself."

Maddie giggled as she looked up at her brother and sister-in-law. She let go of R.J.'s hand and looked down the row and saw Ethan fidgeting beside his father. She waved enthusiastically at him to get his attention. "Psst! Ethan!"

Ethan gave her a little wave in reply.

Maddie grinned. "Can I go down there and see him, Jon?"

"Sure Mad Dog," Jon said. "Just don't pester him about getting married all right? Give him a break about that today."

"Okay," Maddie said nodding. She walked toward Ethan.

"Oh no," Ethan grumbled.

"Hi Ethan," Maddie said. "I can't wait to dance with you later."

"As long as you stick to our deal," Ethan cautioned.

"I know," Maddie said, swaying a bit so her skirt swished around. She giggled. "I want to tell you what Dolly did the other day."

"What?" Ethan asked trying to sound as if he could care less. He couldn't help being interested. Maddie's pixie was pretty cool.

"Daddy said I could let her out of the cage to play with her in the kitchen while Mummy cleaned out her cage for me," Maddie giggled again. "And she flew around and ate all of Daddy's sandwich before he could stop her!"

Ethan laughed. "I bet Uncle Ron was mad!"

"He was- and so he made a new sandwich and Dolly ate that one too!" Maddie was giggling hard by that point. "Mummy said his face was as red as his hair."

"Dolly's definitely a Weasley," Ethan said still laughing. "That's cool Mads."

Maddie beamed as if Ethan's words were of the highest praise. "Maybe you can come over soon and we can play," she suggested. "I know I don't have that cool fort but we have the woods."

"Woods?" Ethan asked. "What are they like? Lots of trees and stuff?"

"Yes," Maddie nodded. "Dolly and I have a little house that Daddy helped make out of sticks and things. You can play in it if you want too."

Ethan was about to tell her that actually sounded pretty cool when it suddenly dawned on him what she might want him to do in her little house. "I'm not playing any tea parties or pretending that its our house and Dolly's our baby, Maddie. You got that?"

Maddie looked back at him. "I wasn't going to say that at all," she replied, her blue eyes serious.

"You weren't?" Ethan asked folding his arms. "I know you Maddie. That's what you've been trying to do every single time you've seen me."

Maddie stared back at him a moment. "I'm sorry," she answered quietly. "I won't do it anymore if it makes you not like me."

"It's not that," Ethan said quickly not wanting to hurt her feelings. "It's just not something I enjoy doing. You're actually not that bad when you're not talking about getting married and having pixies for babies, Maddie."

"Oh," Maddie said, still feeling stung at Ethan's words. "I'm going to go stand by my daddy." she said, going back in Ron's direction.

Ethan watched her go. He hadn't meant to hurt her feelings. But, she just didn't make things easy when she was trying to get him to dance or play along with her when she talked about getting married.

Ron had been talking to Jon and Allie when Maddie came running back over to him.

"What is it sweetheart?" Ron asked picking her up. "Why do you look so sad baby?"

"Nothing's wrong Daddy," Maddie said. "I just want a hug."

Ron smiled as Maddie wrapped her little arms around his neck. "How did you know that I needed one too. You and your sisters give the very best hugs in the world, did you know that?"

"It's because we love you so much," Maddie explained.

"I love you too baby," Ron said kissing her forehead. "Now where's that Madeline Molly smile I love so much? Come on..."

But Maddie didn't smile, she just buried her face in her father's shoulder and Ron exchanged a worried look with Jon and Allison.

"Ethan," Jon mouthed to his father so Maddie wouldn't hear.

Ron rubbed his daughter's back, his fingers tangling in her silky blonde curls. "Come on baby," he said. "Tell Daddy what's wrong."

"I'm okay," Maddie lied not wanting to get Ethan into any trouble. He already hated her, she didn't want to make things worse. "I'm just really sleepy."

"Are you sure?" Ron asked, concerned. "You were so happy just a few minutes ago."

Maddie nodded. "I'm sure Daddy."

"Maddie!" Nick called. "Can you come over here so we can get a picture with you and R.J.?"

Ron set Maddie down and watched as she walked purposely over to her cousin and stood beside R.J.

"Poor Maddie," Allison said softly. "Something bad must have happened when she walked over to see Ethan."

"She probably started talking about them getting married," Jon said. "You know how Ethan is about that sort of thing."

"Luna and I talked to her about that," Ron said looking down to where Ethan was standing. The raven-haired boy was pulling at his collar and looking quite forlorn. "She said she wasn't going to do that anymore."

Jon shrugged. "They're kids though. I'm sure it'll blow over by the time we all get to the reception."

"I hope so," Ron said relieved to see Maddie smiling with R.J. as the photographer snapped away.

"That's lovely," the photographer said. "And can we get some of the bride and groom with the bride's family?"

"Of course," Harry said, propelling Ethan towards Julie and Nick. "Where should we stand?"

The photographer thought about this before suggesting Hermione pose beside her daughter with Harry standing beside Nick. Ethan and Saffron would stand in front of the bride and groom. The problem was Saffron didn't want to stand still. As the photographer set up the picture, Saffron turned around and looked up at Julie. "Joos! Hold me! Joos!"

"No Saffy," Harry said. "You have to stand there for a minute okay baby?"

Ethan took his baby sister's hand. "Just like me Saffy. Okay?"

"Joos?" Saffron looked up at her sister.

"Come here sweetheart," Julie said leaning down and picking her up. "That's my big girl. Can you smile really pretty for the nice man over there?"

"Smile Joos!" Saffron said happily.

Everyone laughed and Julie pointed toward the photographer. "Right there, Saffy. Okay, smile..."

Saffron looked at her sister then at her father and stretched her mouth out. "Joos!" she said happily. "Big girl!"

The photographer took quite a few snapshots of the happy couple with Julie's family before moving on to photos with the bride and groom's attendants. Nearly an hour later, they all departed for the reception.

Ethan noticed as they arrived that Maddie was keeping her distance from him. Part of him felt relieved and another part felt bad that he'd obviously upset her.

Greta tapped Ethan on the shoulder. "Did you want to go check out the buffet table?"

"Sure," Ethan said. "I'm starving."

"You've been awfully quiet," Greta said leading him over to the tables. "On the way over here, you didn't say one word. Very unlike you Ethan James."

"I'm just hungry," Ethan said in his own defence.

"Okay," Greta said not believing for a moment that was all that it was.

"Wow Uncle Ron's going to go crazy when he sees all this!" Ethan said, his eyes wide.

"It does look delicious doesn't it?" Greta asked admiring the spread. "What do you want to try first little man?"

"Everything!" Ethan said, grabbing for a plate.

Maddie tried not to look at Ethan as she followed her sisters to the buffet table.

"Hi Ethan," Darla said grabbing a plate for herself and Maddie. "Hi Greta."

"Hi," Ethan said. "You guys have to try these!" he held up some crème puffs. "They're bloody awesome!"

Maddie stared at her feet.

"Maddie, did you want some of those?" Darla asked but Maddie just shook her head.

"I'm not hungry," Maddie said politely.

"Come on Madeline," Darla said putting a cream puff on both their plates. "Ethan's right. These look positively yummy."

"I'm just going to go and sit with Mummy," Maddie said quietly.

"But Maddie--," Darla said but Maddie had already walked away.

"What's wrong with her?" Drew asked. "She's never this quiet!"

"She said she was sleepy," Darla replied continuing to fill up her plate and Maddie's with food. "You remember how excited she was last night about coming back to London and seeing everyone."

"Almost as excited as me!" Drew said with a grin.

Greta tapped on Ethan's shoulder. "Love, you're holding up the queue. Are you sure you're okay?"

"I'm fine," Ethan said, sneaking a quick glance back in Maddie's direction.

Ron was practically salivating as he looked at the buffet table. The queue was nearly a mile long he thought sadly wishing he and his family had arrived sooner. He grabbed a waiter. "I'll make it worth your while if you go load up a plate of food for me."

"How much?" the waiter asked.

"That depends on how much you bring back," Ron said.

Josh shook his head. "If you're paying, I'll go and get you a plate of food, Dad."

"I'll see what I can do sir," the waiter said with a grin before heading back to the kitchen.

"I could use a few extra Galleons," Jon continued.

"You're welcome to work a few shifts at the shop," Ron said. "That offer stands for both of you."

"Gee thanks," Jon said sarcastically before leaving to join his wife.

"You could have just joined the queue, Ronald," Luna pointed out. "And Drew and Darla were at the front. You could have just asked them to get you something."

"This makes it easier," Ron said, pulling out a chair. "It gets brought to me and I can also pick off my daughters' plates."

"You can have my plate Daddy," Maddie said from her perch on Luna's lap. "I don't want anything."

"Madeline," Ron's smile faded. "Are you sick love?"

Maddie shook her head.

Josh smiled at his little sister. "Come on, Maddie. Drew told me that you were so excited about the wedding and you even had Dad show you how to do some of those dances."

"I'm just sleepy," Maddie said, leaning against her mother's shoulder. "I want to have a kip."

"She did stay up late last night," Luna said rubbing Maddie's back. "You go on and kip if you want Maddie."

Maddie nodded as music started playing throughout the room.

"Looks like the dancing has started already," Josh said. He looked at Lizzy. "Want to attempt it with me?"

"You're actually volunteering?" Lizzy asked teasingly. "Okay then, Weasley. Let's go."

"We're having our big dance together after dinner," Julie was explaining as they passed her and Nick. "We thought it might make things more fun if people could eat and dance whenever they wanted."

"Dad got to you, didn't he?" Josh asked with a grin. "Jules, I'm so happy for you and Nick."

"Thank you Josh," Julie gave him a hug and kissed his cheek. "You two going to dance?"

"I'm going to try," Josh said. "Say a prayer for Lizzy's poor toes."

"Save one for me later," Julie laughed, waving him on.

"Come on Jules," Nick said. "I'm starving."

"You're always starving," Julie followed him. "No... I had them bring plates to our spots at the table." she pulled him away from the buffet.

"I'm a Weasley," Nick said laughing.

"Too right," Julie kissed him. "Nick I'm so happy."

"So am I," Nick said softly. "And I can't wait until we're alone."

"That I'm looking forward to the most," Julie giggled as they kissed again.

"Get a room!" Chiaki called out from the main table.

"We were the same way," Toshio nudged his own wife.

"Worse," Julie said sitting down. "You two mysteriously disappeared at your reception for about a half hour."

"So we did," Chiaki said with a satisfied grin. "And if you would like to disappear I will of course as your best friend and matron of honour give you an alibi and provide excuses..."

"We just might take you up on that," Julie said grinning at her.

"You are my favourite sister Chi," Nick told her.

"I'm your only sister," Chiaki pointed out.

"Too right," Nick said, reaching for his drink.

"Not to bring up a sore subject or anything, but have you heard anything from your folks?" Toshio asked Nick.

"Not a bloody word," Nick raised his glass. "And in my opinion, no news is good news."

"The people who we all love and care about were here," Julie said smiling at her husband. "That's all that matters."

"Aye," Nick leaned in and kissed his wife. "All that matters to me."

"How cute was Saffy?" Chiaki asked. "Absolutely adorable!"

"She is too sweet," Nick agreed. "And Maddie too."

"And little R.J.," Chiaki chimed in. "In his little dress robes..."

"Everyone looks fantastic today," Julie said dreamily.

"Josh is dancing," Jon said sitting down with Allie. "I want someone to catch that on camera."

"Someone will," Allison laughed. "And I don't see you asking me to dance."

"You said you wanted to eat first," Jon said defensively.

"The honeymoon over already Jon?" Chiaki asked with a laugh.

"It's never over for me," Jon said in a smartass tone.

"I rather like this honeymoon period idea," Nick said. "I heard that it's where the bride thinks the groom can do no wrong and vice versa...."

"It's a myth," Toshio interjected. "Complete and utter myth mate."

"Excuse me?" Chiaki glared at him. "Did I not let you drink from the orange juice carton with no complaints for a week after we got back?"

"Yes but that quickly ended, didn't it?" Toshio asked. "And then there was leaving the toilet seat up. And me not cleaning up to your standards...."

"Which you still don't do," Chiaki interjected.

"What about you taking those long showers using up all the hot water?" Toshio asked. "Or that annoying habit you have of getting up at the crack of dawn to do yoga."

"I have to stay in shape," Chiaki argued. "And I have more... body to clean and longer hair than you do. So I need more hot water!"

"You're in there for nearly an hour Chi," Toshio said. "And I'm sure all of our friends would love to hear about your singing in the shower...."

Chiaki turned red. "Let's dance," she said hastily.

"You can't leave now," Nick said. "I want to know more about this. What does my sister sing in the shower?"

Toshio didn't have the chance to answer because Chiaki had grabbed his arm and led him toward the dance floor.

"Chi can't sing," Julie said laughing. "She sounds like a sick cat."

"And she doesn't want us to know about it," Nick snorted.

Maddie was still sitting with her parents, watching everyone out on the dance floor having fun.

Ethan hadn't really touched his food. He still felt bad about how he'd treated Maddie. He'd wanted her to leave him alone, but he hadn't wanted to make her feel bad in the process. And although he knew he'd probably regret this, he knew what he had to do.

His cheeks were bright red as he walked over to the Weasleys table.

"Hi Aunt Luna, Uncle Ron," he said shyly. "Hiya Maddie."

"Hello Ethan," Ron smiled at him. "Having fun? Good eats here aren't there?"

Ethan nodded. "I uh---well I was kind of wondering..."

Maddie looked at him while playing with one of her blonde curls.

"I was sort of wondering if Maddie wanted to dance," Ethan stuffed his hands in his pockets while his cheeks flamed even redder.

"She's been a little sleepy," Luna said apologetically. "I'm sorry Ethan maybe some other--"

"You want to dance with me?" Maddie asked cutting her mother off.

"Sure," Ethan replied. "I mean, I promised you we would, and you looked sort of bored so..."

Maddie smiled. "I'd like that. I'd like that very, very much."

"Okay," Ethan smiled back at her.

"Have fun you two," Luna said pecking Maddie on the cheek. "You can show Ethan what your Daddy taught you."

"Okay Mummy," Maddie's cheerful demeanour had returned, much to Ron's relief.

Ethan led Maddie through the crowd to find a space on the dance floor.

"I'm sorry Maddie," he said looking sideways at her. "I didn't mean to hurt your feelings when we were at the church."

Maddie smiled at him as he put his arms on her waist. "It's okay Ethan."

"So what sort of dance did your dad teach you?" Ethan asked.

"He taught me..." Maddie thought for a moment. "The waltz, and something called the cha cha." she giggled. "It was really funny!"

"The cha cha?" Ethan asked wrinkling his nose. "How do you do that?"

"Do you want me to show you?" Maddie asked eagerly.

Ethan nodded. "What do we do?"

"We have to dance kind of close," Maddie said.

"Oh," Ethan tensed up, but he supposed it was okay. It was just dancing. "Oh, alright."

Maddie guided him through the steps her father had showed her a few days before. "See it's really fun!"

"I've seen this one before!" Ethan said laughing. "My mum dances this one by herself sometimes. And she's always going 'cha-cha-cha' while she does it."

Maddie giggled as they began to do the dance all over the floor, much to the amusement of some of the other guests.

"Cha-cha-cha!" Ethan and Maddie sang together as they moved. "Cha-cha-cha!"

"That is too cute," Hermione said to Harry.

"I hope no one teases him about it," Harry said breaking up a small piece of his bread roll and handing it to Saffron.

"Better not," Luna said as she joined them. "Do you know he actually came up to her and asked her to dance? She was so thrilled!"

"I swear we didn't say anything to him," Harry said. "He did that all on his own."

"That's so sweet," Hermione said with a smile. "He's really such a good boy."

"He is indeed," Luna said laughing as Ethan and Maddie danced by them. Saffron giggled. "Etan! Daddy! Etan!"

"That's right baby," Harry laughed, pulling her onto his lap. "That's Ethan!"

"Dance Daddy," Saffron said pointing. "Dance?"

"You want to dance Saffy?" Harry stood up. "Guess that means I have to show my baby girl a move or two."

"Bye Mummy!" Saffron said waving her little hand.

"Bye sweetheart!" Hermione laughed. "Have fun with Daddy!"

"She's a Daddy's girl just like Maddie," Luna said to Hermione.

"That she is," Hermione agreed. "And Harry's so crazy about her... I suppose we both spoil her quite a bit. She was so unexpected."

"She's a gift," Luna said knowing very well how hard it had been for her friend over the years with conceiving. "I was talking with your parents earlier and they were talking about how much she looks like you. Your dad even took his wallet out to show Ron and me the pictures."

Hermione smiled. "She's got a mix of both me and Harry I think."

"She does," Luna agreed. "Can you believe we're here. It seems like just yesterday, we were all sitting by the lake at Hillsdale."

"I know," Hermione said. "So much has happened since then. So many good and bad things... but I wouldn't change a moment of it."

"Neither would I," Luna said looking at her daughter and Ethan on the dance floor. Maddie reminded her so much of herself. She could still remember the crush she'd had on Ron back at Hogwarts and how he'd not known what to make of her.

"This wedding is turning out to be quite the celebration," Hermione mused, looking around the room. "I think having dancing before the main dinner was a great idea."

"Julie's a smart girl," Luna said. "Like her mum."

Hermione grinned. "What can I say?" she asked with a laugh.

"Getting her started early eh Dad?" Julie asked as she and Nick danced beside her father and Saffron.

"Too right," Harry grinned at Saffron who was giggling her little head off. "She likes it when I dip her back."

"Do again Daddy!" Saffron squealed.

"All right baby," Harry chuckled, dipping her back and making Julie and Nick laugh as her little pigtails touched the floor.

"She's a natural," Julie said smiling at her little sister.

"Dance Joos!" Saffron chattered. "I dance!"

"Yes you do," Julie said with a giggle.

"Mind if I cut in?" Nick asked thinking Julie might like to dance with her father. "Come on Saffy. Want to give me a go?"

"Nicky!" Saffron reached for him.

Harry gingerly handed Saffron to Nick who promptly began an impromptu tango with the little girl pushing through the amused crowd.

"My husband the goofball," Julie said laughing.

"I can't believe you're married," Harry said, holding out his hand. "Can I have one last dance with my baby girl before she starts her own life?"

"Oh Dad," Julie said feeling tears well up in her eyes. "Don't get me started again!"

"I'm sorry sweetheart," Harry began to twirl her around. "I know you've been on your own for awhile now but this just shows how much you've grown up- and too fast, in my opinion. I'd have kept you as a little girl forever."

Julie rested her head on her father's shoulder. "I remember dancing with you at weddings and parties when I was little. You used to let me stand on your feet."

"I had to let your mum stand on my feet a few times too," Harry joked.

Julie smiled. "Dad, this is the happiest day of my life. I keep wanting to pinch myself to make sure it's all real."

"That's how I felt the day I married your mum," Harry looked at his wife across the room. "It's only going to get better Jules."

"I hope so," Julie said softly. "I want to be just as happy as you and Mum."

"You will be," Harry kissed her cheek. "And you know you can always come visit us- as often as you want."

"I will," Julie promised. "You're not getting rid of me that easily Dad."

"Music to my ears," Harry laughed.

Julie finished her dance with her father and the two of them set off to find Nick and Saffron. They were both nearly blindsided by Ethan and Maddie who were still doing their own version of the cha cha across the dance floor. Julie bit back a teasing remark when she saw how much fun her little brother was having and the wide smile on Maddie's face.

"I wonder why he's being so sweet with her?" Julie said. "Usually he runs the other way when Maddie's around."

"I don't know but I'm not questioning it," Harry smiled.

"Probably a good idea," Julie said squeezing her dad's hand. They found Nick and Saffron sitting with Greta at the main table.

"Did you have fun dancing Saffy?" Julie asked her little sister.

Saffron nodded and gave a little yawn.

"I might have knackered her out," Nick admitted.

"She usually has her kip about this time," Greta said.

"That's probably why," Julie pinched Saffron's cheek gently.

"She's such a good baby too," Greta said softly as Saffron closed her eyes.

"Aye," Harry lifted her gently and sat down, patting her back.

"Nicholas hasn't told me where he's taking you for the honeymoon," Greta told Julie. "Do you have any idea?"

"Fiji," Julie answered, taking a sip of champagne.

Greta grinned. "That sounds lovely!"

"I'm so excited," Julie answered. "But more to just be alone with him than anything. We haven't really had any time to ourselves in the past month or so."

"Too right," Nick said. "Everything has been about the wedding."

"Nicholas," Greta said. "I can't believe you wouldn't tell me where you're taking your wife on your honeymoon!"

"I'm sorry Greta," Nick said laughing. "But I wanted to Jules to be the first to know. It was a surprise."

"And a surprise it was," Julie said. "Here I was thinking we were going to Greece and he had this planned all along."

"I hope the two of you have a wonderful time," Greta said happy that her young charge finally found the happy family that had he'd always wanted.

"I think we will," Nick shared a smile with Julie then looked at his former nanny. "But I think I owe someone a dance other than my wife." he held his hand out to Greta.

"Nicholas I haven't danced in years," Greta said shaking her head.

"All the more reason I can show you a thing or two," Nick teased.

"Okay," Greta said getting to her feet. "But only one dance."

Nick grinned at Julie before leading Greta onto the floor.

"I am starving," Julie said. "I've been too nervous all day to really eat anything."

"Chi put a warming charm on your plate when you and Nick were dancing," Allison told her.

"She's fantastic," Julie sighed, starting in on some of the appetizers.

Neville and Cho walked over to the table to offer their congratulations to Julie and also to see if anyone knew where Frankie was.

"I think she was going to get some fresh air with Drew and Darla," Allison lied.

"Oh," Cho replied. "Well that's odd- I just saw Drew and Darla sitting by Ron..."

"Oh well I did see her a few minutes ago," Allison said hastily. "Perhaps she's in the loo?"

"I'm sure Frankie's fine Dad," Chiaki came up to them.

Neville nodded and sat down. "Where's your hus-, I mean where's Jonathan?" He still wasn't used to the fact that his middle daughter was a married woman.

"He was over by the bar with Josh a few minutes ago," Allison said. "They were talking about working in their father's shops on the weekends to get some extra money."

"Are you and Jon having money troubles?" Neville asked. He's offered to give them help, but Allison and Jon had steadfastly refused. They'd wanted to make it on their own. "Your mother and I would be happy to..."

"No, we're not." Allison replied. "But thank you Dad. He just wants to have some extra spending money for us that's all."

"Are you sure?" Neville asked. "I know how hard it is when you're just starting out..."

"We're doing all right," Allison said. "Not fantastic, but we're managing just fine. I promise we'll come to you if we need anything though."

Neville nodded. "And you're liking your job at the book shop?"

"I am," Allison smiled. "I've met some really nice people."

"You and Jonathan should come by for dinner some night," Neville offered. "I could make my spaghetti again."

Allison's smile turned into a full fledged grin. "We'd love to!"

Neville knew how much it meant to Allison for them to get along and he was willing to make the effort. He didn't want to lose her now that they'd come so far.

"Francesca?" Cho asked as her youngest daughter sat down. "Where on earth have you been?"

"I was..." Frankie looked at her sisters who gestured frantically. "In the loo."

"All this time?" Cho asked. "Are you feeling okay love?"

"Just fine Mum," Frankie said. "I had a lot to drink when we first got here."

"You could spend some time with your parents," Cho teased. "We're not that embarrassing are we?"

"Just a little," Frankie joked.

Neville grabbed at his chest. "Ow, Frankie! That one hurt!"

Allison laughed. "Come on Dad, let's go dance all right?"

Neville smiled. "I'll try and stay off your toes."

"You might just want to dance on his feet," Cho called after them.

Harry laughed and tried not to wake up the now sleeping Saffron.

"I was going to ask you to dance, but it looks as if someone else has your dance card filled up," Cho said motioning toward Saffron.

"I'm a bit tied down at the moment," Harry grinned.

"She's out like a light," Cho said softly.

"She's had a busy day," Harry replied.

"So have we all," Julie said finishing off her plate. "But I don't want this day to end."

"Of course you don't," Cho said. "It's your wedding day and you never looked more beautiful Julie."

"Thanks Aunt Cho," Julie said. "Aunt Lavender really outdid herself."

"She always does," Cho said. "Her robes are just gorgeous. I love the ones she's wearing today."

Everyone turned to get a glimpse of Lavender on the dance floor in her fittingly lavender dress robes.

"I love Seamus but he has no rhythm," Chiaki said.

"But Aunt Lav sure manages to make him look good in the process," Julie laughed.

"Of course," Harry said.

"There's my granddaughter," Robert said coming over with Elinore. "We've been trying to get you alone all day love."

"Hi Grandpa," Julie hugged her grandfather. "Hi Grandma!"

"Ellie was crying her way through the ceremony," Robert teased.

"I wasn't that bad," Elinore told Julie. "I just got a little emotional seeing you so beautiful and happy."

"I am definitely happy," Julie said as Nick and Greta came back over laughing. "Happiest I've ever been."

Nick kissed his wife on the cheek. "Me too."

Julie leaned against him as he put his arms around her. "I feel like dancing again."

"As you wish," Nick said kissing her forehead. "Let's go."

"Grandpa I still want to dance with you," Julie called back.

"I'll hold you to that," Robert said winking at her.

Nick led his new wife to the middle of the dance floor and motioned for the band to play the song he'd requested.

"Ooh," Julie grinned as she recognised the notes. "Are you singing today Nicholas?"

"Not today," he said with a grin.

"Awwww," Julie pouted. "I like it when you sing."

Nick pulled her close and began to sing in her ear, "Look at Julie ...She’s a bright, bright star...Look at Julie..."

Julie smiled dreamily as she closed her eyes. "I love when you do that..." she whispered.

"I love you," he said softly.

Julie pulled back and kissed him. "I love you too."

22. Chapter 22

Authors’ note: Okay, guys. This chapter jumps a little bit into the future. You will see that Ethan is now 20 years old, Maddie is 16. Jon and Allison have a little girl named Caroline who is four (they did wait to start their family) and they are expecting another baby. You will also get to meet a 12-year old Saffron Potter who is very much like her mother and father (as you will soon see); and Nick and Julie’s two daughters, Katie and Ashley. We hope it won’t be too confusing.


As always we appreciate the reviews. Please keep them coming!

CHAPTER TWENTY TWO

"Hello?" Ethan asked opening the door to the Burrow. "Anyone home?"

The twenty year old braced himself for a Molly Weasley bear hug the moment he'd opened the door. Finding the Burrow, empty and quiet was quite a new experience for him. This place was always filled to the brim with people on holidays.

"Ethan James Potter!" Hermione exclaimed, coming down the stairs and giving her only son a hug. "I thought I'd heard you down here!"

"Hi Mum," Ethan grinned. "Where's everyone at?"

"Your father and Ron went to collect the kids from King’s Cross," Hermione answered. "And everyone else is out and about doing some shopping. I had some paperwork to go over so I stayed behind. Look at you. Sweetheart, you look tired!"

"I am, a bit," Ethan said, setting his bag down. "Training has been really rough lately and I've been pulling some all nighters."

"I remember your father going through all that," Hermione said taking his hand and leading him into the kitchen. "It nearly killed him."

"Well as Grandpa likes to say, whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger," Ethan grinned ruefully. "There wouldn't happen to be any tea would there?"

"There would," Hermione said smiling at him. "I just made some a few minutes ago."

"You're the best Mum," Ethan said gratefully, sinking into a chair. "Man it feels weird being back here and not hearing all sorts of noise."

"Enjoy it while it lasts," Hermione said handing him a cup of tea. "Saffron, R.J., Maddie will be here soon along with Fred and George's brood. It's going to be a full house."

"You can say that again," Ethan grimaced. "Think of all the piggyback rides I have to give." he joked.

"Will make your training seem like a cake walk," Hermione teased. "And your sister kept sending me owls to make sure that you would be here. Saffy kept thinking you were going to bail out again."

Ethan grinned. "She'd kill me if I didn't come for Christmas. So would Jules."

"Not to mention your old mum," Hermione said grinning at him. "So, where is Bree? I thought she was coming with you?"

"She's coming tomorrow," Ethan said. "She uh... had some things to do today."

"Ethan..." Hermione said. "There's something wrong, isn't there?"

He shrugged. "I just don't think it's working out between us."

Hermione liked her son's girlfriend, but Bree was one of the most serious, ambitious people she'd ever met. As Ethan had always said about her, once Bree made up her mind that she wanted something, she didn't stop until she had it.

"Well, you've both been extremely busy," Hermione said helpfully. "This time together might do you a world of good."

"Maybe," Ethan didn't seem bothered. "We did decide to see if we could make things work this holiday. If it doesn't then we'll take some time apart."

"Oh for heaven's sake, Jon!" Molly said over her shoulder to her grandson. "Help your wife with that package. She's eight months pregnant!"

"It's okay, Nana," Allison said good-naturedly. "I'm not an invalid. I can carry one package."

Jon huffed under the mountain of things he was already carrying. "If you think you can put it somewhere I won't drop it then try," he said, grinning at his wife.

"Daddy, don't you drop that one bag," his four-year old daughter Caroline said as she came inside. "That's got my present for Mummy."

"I won't love," Jon promised.

"Did you buy the shops out?" Ethan asked helping Jon with some of the load.

"Just a little," Jon laughed as Allison sat heavily in one of the chairs. "How are you, mate? Haven't seen you for awhile."

"Knackered," Ethan managed to answer before Molly engulfed him in one of her bear hugs.

"You are way too thin, Ethan," Molly said hugging him. "We're going to have to fatten you up while you're here!"

"I can't wait," Ethan said. "I've been looking forward to Christmas dinner for awhile now."

"Me too," Allison chimed in. "And this Christmas I get to eat for two!"

"That's only an excuse," Hermione teased her.

"You look wonderful," Ethan gave Allison a kiss on the cheek. "How's everything coming along?"

"I have my hands full with Caroline and this little one on the way," Allison said patting her tummy. "But I get a little help from my big kid over there."

Jon frowned. "Just for that, Caroline and I aren't going to share our chocolate biscuits with you, Al."

Allison narrowed her eyes. "Want to wager on that?"

"You'd better let her have some, Daddy," Caroline said as she sat down on Ethan's lap. "When is Julie getting here?"

"Anytime now," Hermione smiled at the young girl. "I know Katie can't wait to see you."

"Aunt Maddie promised to take us ice skating," Caroline said proudly. "Me and Katie both!"

"I bet that will be fun," Ethan smiled at her. "Ashley will probably want to come along."

"The more the merrier!" Caroline said before taking a bite of her biscuit.

"Where did you hear that from?" Ethan asked her.

"From Nana Molly," Caroline said. "Grandpa said we were having a lot of people and Nana said 'the more the merrier'!"

"Everyone picks up on everything," Ethan said, sitting down to finish his tea. "I'm just looking forward to getting some sleep."

"Why don't you go upstairs and kip?" Hermione asked. "It'll make you feel better love."

"Sounds good," Ethan said, getting back up. "What room should I bunk up in?"

"You can take Bill and Charlie's old room," Molly said.

"Thank you Nana," Ethan smiled gratefully at her and retrieved his bag from the hall, heading right upstairs.

Nearly two hours later, Harry and Ron made it home with the kids who were all talking excitedly about the train ride home. Twelve-year old Saffron though remembered that Ethan was going to be home and she made a dash for her mother.

"Is he here?" Saffron asked excitedly. "Please tell me he made it, Mum. I know I don't know that many spells yet, but if he didn't make it, he'll...."

Hermione laughed. "Settle down sweetheart. Yes he's here but he's sleeping and I don't want you bothering him all right?"

"Okay," Saffron said reluctantly, giving Hermione a hug. "I have loads to tell you anyway."

"Oh like what?" Hermione asked. "What have you learned so far this year?"

"So much," Saffron said tossing her brown hair over her shoulders. "I love school, but Professor Snape..."

"Gave her detention," Harry finished for his daughter. "Four times since the term began."

"He what?" Hermione raised an eyebrow. "You've had FOUR detentions Saffron?"

"Wait," Saffron said holding her hand up. "It was only because I was defending myself. That git said that I was an insufferable know-it-all. I mean, really! He asked a question and I raised my hand to answer him. He wouldn't call on me, Mum! So I just called out the answer."

"And Dumbledore allows this?" Hermione addressed her husband.

"I offered to talk to him about it, but Saffron asked me not to say anything," Harry said.

"Well you be careful," Hermione said. "I don't even want to hear about any more detentions Saffron Grace."

"Come on, Mum," Julie said putting an arm around her sister. "I had at least twelve detentions when I was in my second year. It's a rite of passage for us Potter kids."

"You never told me about that," Hermione replied.

Harry grinned. "We didn't want to worry you dear."

"We won't even begin to tell you about Ethan," Julie teased her mother.

"Where is the old guy anyway?" Josh teased. He had just arrived with Lizzy.

"Fast asleep," Saffron said grumpily.

"He's tired sweetheart," Harry said gently. "He's been working hard with training."

"I know," Saffron said. "But we never get to see him anymore it seems. When he's not with us, he's with that...Bree person."

"Bree is his girlfriend." Hermione replied. "And I'm sure you'll see plenty of both of them in the next few days."

"Bree sounds like cheese," Saffron said.

"You're thinking of b-r-i-e," Hermione said trying not to laugh. "That is a kind of cheese, Saffy. And please don't say that in front of her again. That wasn't very nice."

"Cheese sounds really good right now," Ron said, poking his head into the icebox. "Mum what's for dinner?"

Molly slapped him on the back. "Get your head out of there! You'll ruin your dinner!"

"Nana," Maddie said coming into the kitchen. "Dad could never ruin his dinner. He always makes room, right Daddy?"

"That's right sweetheart," Ron grinned at his youngest daughter who was now seventeen and almost a Hogwarts graduate. With her long blonde curls and blue eyes she looked very much like Luna.

"I won't tell Nana that you ate all those crisps earlier," Maddie whispered in his ear.

"I didn't eat all of them," Ron said defensively. "R.J. helped me out."

"Sure Dad," Maddie said, giggling.

"Dad?" R.J. asked, grabbing his broom. "Who's up for a pickup game of Quidditch?"

"Here, here," Ron agreed. "Harry?"

"I'm in," Harry said.

"Can I go wake Ethan up and ask him if he wants to play, too?" Saffron asked hopefully.

"No," Hermione said with a laugh. "Let your brother sleep, Saffy."

"But Mum!" Saffron protested.

"Saffy," Hermione said firmly. "Come on. You and I can go upstairs and you can tell me all about these detentions of yours."

"But I want to go play Quidditch," Saffron begged. "Please Mum I'm on holiday! I don't want to talk about school."

"Okay," Hermione said shaking her head. "Go ahead."

"I'd like to go too," Allison said wistfully as she watched her husband and Josh grab their brooms.

"In a few months you'll be able to play again," Jon caressed her cheek.

"I'm in too," Nick got up from the table. "I haven't played in awhile."

"You played last week," Julie reminded him. "Remember, you took Katie out? You asked me to come along, but I very wisely refused."

"You're missing out Jules," Nick smiled at his wife.

"I prefer my feet on the ground," Julie said firmly. "Right, Mum?"

"Right you are love," Hermione smiled at her.

Saffron rolled her eyes. She loved to fly as much as her father and brother and couldn't quite understand why her mother and sister didn't enjoy it at all.

"Come on, Dad," Saffron said tugging at his hand. "Let's see what you've got!"

"All right," Harry grinned. "If Ethan wakes up have him join us."

Hermione nodded, but she thought it would be best to let her son sleep. She'd never seen him look as exhausted as she did this afternoon.

Ethan woke up a few hours later, somewhat disoriented. He rolled over on his side and reached for his watch on the bedside table. When he saw what time it was, he blinked to make sure he wasn't imagining it. It was just past midnight. Although he was still tired, his stomach rumbled. He'd missed Nana Molly's dinner. As he stumbled out of bed, he hoped that they'd saved him a plate.

He made his way down the stairs blinking in the darkness. He fumbled for his wand that he'd stuffed in the pocket of his pyjama trousers and it cast a small light in the hallway.

When he walked into the kitchen, he grinned as he saw a plate laden with food sitting out for him. A note from Molly told him that she'd saved all of his favourites and put a heating charm on the plate.

"Thank you Nana," he muttered, stuffing a bite of bread in his mouth.

Outside, in the back of the Burrow, Maddie was dressed in her flowing white robes and was twirling softly in the newly fallen snow. She had been unable to sleep and had been sitting on the bench when the first white flakes had started to come down.

Ethan walked over to the window and smiled when he saw that it had snowed. Christmas wasn't Christmas without snow, he thought to himself, as Saffron always said. He knew she was probably upset with him for being asleep when she'd arrived. He made a mental note to make it up to her tomorrow. He was about to turn away from the window when he saw something---someone--outside in the snow.

Maddie laughed lightly as the snow continued to fall and dance across her face. Her blond curls flew out behind her as she spun a little faster.

Ethan couldn't take his eyes off the sight before him. The white-cloaked figure seemed to be bathed in the soft midnight glow outside. As the figure turned, Ethan's breath caught in his throat as he realised who he'd been watching.

"Maddie," he whispered.

She continued to twirl around for several more minutes before finally coming to a breathless stop, laughing at her own antics.

Ethan absently reached for his cloak by the door and made his way outside. He hadn't meant to, of course. Whatever Maddie was doing out here was her business and Ethan knew he should just eat his dinner and go back to bed, but something beyond his own volition made him go outside.

"Maddie," he called out hesitantly to her. "Maddie?"

She raised her head. "Ethan!" she said brightly. "When did you get here?"

"Uh--earlier today," Ethan said quietly. He suddenly realised that she wasn't talking about when he'd arrived, but how long he'd been outside watching her. "I, um, was asleep. I came downstairs and I saw you through the window. Aren't you cold?"

"Cold?" Maddie looked around. "Oh... not really. I like it out here like this." she flicked a blonde curl back over her shoulder and smiled at him.

"Not me," Ethan said sticking his hands in his pockets. "It's bloody freezing out here, Maddie."

"We can go inside if you want," she replied, fixing her eyes on him.

"You don't have to go inside on my account," Ethan said, wondering if her eyes had always been that blue.

She shrugged. "Okay let's stay out here," she said, moving back towards the bench she had been sitting on before.

"Okay," Ethan said quietly, sitting down on the other end of the bench. "So, um..."

"How is your training?" Maddie asked. "Daddy told me you were working towards being an Auror..."

"Well," Ethan said leaning back on the bench. "It's going pretty well, actually. I just have one more year left ..."

"That's good," Maddie nodded. "I haven't seen you in so long Ethan."

Ethan looked sheepishly at her. "I know. I missed the summer hols. It was only because Bree and I went to see her parents in Devonshire."

"Bree..." Maddie nodded. "Is she coming here for the holiday?"

"Yeah," Ethan said with false brightness. "She's coming tomorrow afternoon."

"You don't seem very excited about it," Maddie said, her eyes fixated on him again.

Ethan stood up, uncomfortable with how she was looking at him. "I'm very excited about her coming. Why wouldn't I be? She's my girlfriend. I'm---well, I'm very excited about her coming."

She grinned. "Me thinks you doth protest too much." it was one of her favourite phrases.

Despite himself, Ethan couldn't help laughing. "I'm not protesting, Madeline Molly Weasley."

"Sure seems that way to me," Maddie maintained her serene expression.

"I'm going back inside to finish my dinner," Ethan said. To his surprise, she followed him inside. "Do you want some of this?"

"No thank you," she replied. "I had some earlier with everyone else. Your sisters really miss you."

"I miss them too," Ethan said taking his plate and sitting down at the table.

"Maybe you should visit more often," She said, leaning on her elbow.

Ethan stared at her for a moment. "I visit often enough, Maddie. Besides, it's not as if I can get away. I have training and I have..."

"Right," Maddie nodded and smiled at him again. "You're very busy."

"You sound like you don't believe me," Ethan said defensively.

"Why shouldn't I believe you?" Maddie leaned forward. "You said you were busy so I'm sure you are."

Ethan put his fork down. "But you sound like you think I'm making up excuses or something. I do miss my family, Maddie. I miss them very much, but I'm not a kid anymore."

"I never said you were a kid," Maddie said, and began to giggle. "You used to really dislike me when we were younger didn't you?"

"Maybe it was because you announced to anyone who would listen that we were going to get married someday," Ethan said with a laugh.

She grinned. "You didn't believe me?"

"I was too busy telling anyone who would listen that I was never going to get married," Ethan said grinning back at her.

"Do you still think that way?" Maddie asked lightly.

"Well I don't think all girls are stupid anymore," Ethan replied. "But as for marriage, I think that's a long way off for me, Maddie."

She nodded. "Well I think I'll go to bed. I have to go into the town and get a few things tomorrow before they all close for Christmas."

"I have to do that as well," Ethan admitted. "I haven't done any Christmas shopping."

"For shame, Ethan James," Maddie teased.

"I know," Ethan said laughing. "I'm so disorganised. It's hard to believe I'm Hermione Potter's son."

"Quite," she got up; pulling off her white robes she'd been wearing and hanging them on a peg in the wall.

"We could go into town together," Ethan heard himself suggest. "If you want to that is."

"That sounds lovely," Maddie agreed. "I was thinking I'd go right after breakfast."

"Okay," Ethan said smiling at her. "But don't think this means I'm going to carry all your packages, Maddie."

"I don't need anyone to carry anything for me," Maddie returned, but she was grinning. "Good night Ethan."

"Good night, Maddie," Ethan said watching her go.

*** *** ***

Ethan followed Maddie inside the little Curio Shoppe on the side of the road. They'd been shopping most of the afternoon and he'd already gotten presents for pretty much everyone, including Bree. "Who else do you have left?" he asked, pushing his messy hair out of his eyes.

"I still have to get something for my mum," Maddie answered thoughtfully. "And I need to get something for Caroline, Jon and Allie."

Ethan nodded. "Hopefully you'll find it here. I'm getting hungry and it's starting to get late."

"I'm sure I will," Maddie said. "Mum loves this place."

She elbowed him in the side. "It wasn't me who had to purchase everyone's Christmas gifts in one afternoon, was it?"

"Hey," he elbowed her back. "I managed to get it all done and you've been looking longer." he teased. Being with Maddie now was different than when they were kids. There was something dreamy and sweet about her yet she seemed to have a certain maturity about things.

"That's because I like to put thought into my gifts," Maddie explained. "I could just pick up something random, but it wouldn't be the same now, would it?"

"I suppose not," Ethan said. "Wait- are you saying I didn't put thought into my gifts?" his brown eyes twinkled mischievously.

"No," Maddie said grinning at him. "But you bought your sister Julie a broomstick servicing kit, Ethan. She hates to fly!"

"That's for my OTHER sister," Ethan said defensively. "Saffron loves being on a broomstick. I bought Julie the cookbooks."

"Julie can't cook," Maddie pointed out. "She burns toast."

"I'm just trying to help," Ethan sent her a lopsided grin.

A sales clerk came up to them and smiled at Ethan. "You must be shopping for something for your girlfriend here, eh? I'm sure we could find something for her that is as lovely as she is."

"Oh," Ethan turned red. "She's uh... she's not, I mean she's my friend but--"

"I'm not his girlfriend," Maddie interjected gracefully.

"Oh," the sales clerk said apologetically. "I'm sorry. I was watching the two of you from across the room. I sensed a sort of closeness..."

"I tried when I was five to get him to notice me," Maddie said with a laugh. "But he used to run away from me every time."

"Yeah thirteen years ago," Ethan was still red faced. "We're looking for presents for her mother and sister in law.”

"We have some beautiful necklaces and charms," the sales clerk began, but Maddie wasn't listening. Her eyes were fixed on a display just over the sales clerk's shoulder.

"Oh," Maddie gasped.

"What?" Ethan asked, wondering what had attracted her attention.

Maddie gently pushed her way over to the display of silver bracelets with charms. "It's a Cornish Pixie, Ethan. Look!"

"I thought you gave up on those," Ethan laughed.

"Never," Maddie said admiring the bracelet.

"Those are rather fabulous, aren't they?" the sales clerk said. "Each bracelet has a mini Cornish Pixie living in it. They live inside the charm."

"It's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen," Maddie whispered. "How much are they?"

"Well," the sales clerk's smile faltered a moment. "Since each one is one of a kind, the price IS a bit steep. Sixty five Galleons apiece."

"Wow," Ethan said. "That's kind of cool though." he peered in the charm.

Maddie's face fell. She hadn't thought it would be that expensive. Plus, she'd already spent most of her money on presents and she still had presents to buy.

"I wish I could take it," she said softly. "Maybe after the holidays are over." she gently set the bracelet back in the display.

"Would you be interested in seeing some of our crystal necklaces?" the sales clerk asked. Maddie nodded and followed the woman toward the back of the shop.

Ethan saw another clerk and motioned her over. "Could you wrap this up for me really quickly?" he asked, holding the bracelet Maddie had been admiring. "She's in the back of the store and I don't want her to see this before tomorrow."

"Of course," the girl said warmly. "Excellent choice."

"She seemed to really like it," Ethan smiled as he thought of Maddie's face when she was looking at the charm.

"I'm sure your girlfriend will be pleased," the clerk said turning away from him to wrap the bracelet in festive paper.

This time Ethan didn't bother to correct the clerk. "I'm sure she will," he replied as the girl finished wrapping it up. He passed over the Galleons and had just tucked the package into his bags when Maddie came up with some crystal jewellery and what looked like some worn Quidditch gear in her hands. "What's that?" he pointed to the gear. "Looks like someone used it already."

"Jon's favourite Quidditch player from the Cannons wore this in a World Cup game," Maddie explained. "The clerk said his wife dropped off a few old boxes the other day. I think he'll be pleased, don't you?"

"I'm sure he will be," Ethan had to stop himself from grinning as Maddie paid for her things. He noticed she kept glancing over at the display of Pixie charms and he couldn't wait to see her face when she opened the box on Christmas day.

"Okay," Maddie said as they let the store. "I'm starving. I know you are. Do you want to grab something back at home or get something now?"

"Why don't we go get some hot chocolate," Ethan suggested. "I could really go for some right now."

"That sounds like a brilliant idea," Maddie said smiling at him.

"Great," Ethan put an arm over her shoulder in what looked like a friendly gesture, but he couldn't help his wandering thoughts about how nicely they fitted together. "My treat."

"It's the least you can do for dragging me along on your shopping spree," Maddie teased.

"Hey you gave me the idea first," Ethan joked. "I would have been done hours ago if you weren't so picky about the presents I picked out!"

"Well, I hate to think of what you would have picked out on your own," Maddie said. "You're hopeless, Ethan Potter."

"That's why we have you girls around," Ethan held the door open for her. "To get us out of jams."

"I seem to remember me getting you and I into a lot of jams when we were kids," Maddie said as they settled into a booth.

"Aye I suppose we did," Ethan laughed. "With Dolly as our partner in crime."

Maddie smiled wistfully as she thought of her childhood pet. "You always wanted to blame everything on her when you knew very well that my parents would want me to give her away if she did anymore damage."

"That makes me a bit wretched doesn't it?" Ethan asked for two mugs of hot chocolate. "I remember when she tore into your dad's Cannons shirt,"

Maddie laughed. "Which I fixed beautifully, thank you very much. Thanks to Spellotape."

Ethan laughed hard. "I remember when you gave it back to him too. His face was priceless."

"I'm glad you thought so," Maddie said. "I was so scared he was going to make me give Dolly away."

"How long did that thing live?" Ethan asked curiously as their hot chocolate was set in front of them.

"Excuse me?" Maddie asked him. "Dolly was not a thing. She was living, breathing creature. And she died right before I left for Hogwarts. Dad told me that she'd run away, but I knew she'd never have done that."

"I'm sorry," Ethan apologised. "I didn't mean to refer to her as a thing."

"It's okay," Maddie said quickly. "I just get a little defensive. She was like my best friend when I was growing up."

Ethan nodded. "I could have been nicer to you," he said ruefully.

"You could have," Maddie said reaching across the table and putting her hand on top of his. "But I understood. I was a bit pushy and most boys that age think girls are gross and stupid. And you were the only person who could say no to me back then."

Ethan laughed, enjoying the feel of her soft hand on his. "I was really the only person who said no to you?"

Maddie nodded. "My mum and dad did every now and then, but you were the only one who did on a regular basis."

Ethan laughed harder. "Oi and I thought at the time that I gave in to you too often. Especially when you would tell me we were going to get married and Dolly would be our baby."

Maddie joined in his laughter. "I'd forgotten about that!"

"Oh man," Ethan was still chortling. "We were two crazy kids that's for sure."

Maddie smiled. "Thank you for coming with me today. This wouldn't have been nearly as fun if I'd had to go it alone."

"Yeah it's been great catching up with you," Ethan said honestly. He looked at their hands and realised that one of them had woven their fingers together across the table. He thought about Bree, but he didn't want to pull his hand away from Maddie's.

"I'm supposed to take Katie, Caroline, Ashley and Saffron ice skating this afternoon," Maddie said. "I know you're tired from all this shopping, but would you fancy coming with? I'm going to need all the help I can get, Ethan."

"That sounds like fun," Ethan agreed. "Saffy's probably going to kill me. She was still sleeping when you and I left this morning so I haven't seen her yet."

"She was chomping at the bit to wake you up when we arrived yesterday," Maddie said. "She thinks you hung the moon, Ethan."

"She's a great kid," Ethan said. "That's why I spoiled her and got her the servicing kit plus those new grips for her to wear during the games- the ones that repel the bludgers."

Maddie smiled. "See, you can give thoughtful presents!"

Ethan grinned at her. "I certainly try," he replied, thinking of the box he had hidden with his other gifts.

Maddie hadn't noticed that she and Ethan were holding hands. It had just seemed like the most natural, instinctive thing to do.

"This is nice," she said softly.

"Yeah it is," he agreed. "Sort of um... comfortable." he said, turning red.

"Strange, but a good kind of strange," Maddie said thoughtfully. "Does that make sense?"

"Yeah it does," Ethan turned to look out the window. It had begun to snow again and he saw Maddie reflected in the glass and it reminded him of last night. "So what were you really doing out there at midnight dancing in the snow?" he asked.

"I don't know," Maddie said with a shrug. "Everyone went to sleep and I wasn't ready to go just yet. So, I went outside and when it started to snow, it just made me happy. I felt like I had to dance."

Ethan nodded. "I wish I could feel that carefree," he said. "There's just so much going on with training... and things with Bree have been less than stellar."

"I could tell you had a lot on your mind last night," Maddie said gently.

"Well... do you mind if I talk to you about this?" Ethan asked with a grin. "I don't want to burden you."

“I don’t mind at all,” Maddie smiled at him.

“Well…” Ethan said. “You know we met on a blind date about six months ago. She was so indifferent about who I was, who my mum and dad were… all other girls I’ve dated would go ballistic when they first saw my parents or saw Nick hanging around with Jules. Bree was different. She’s really focused on things, which I like… but everything she does is by the book.”

“And you’re not like that?” Maddie asked.

“I am, sort of,” Ethan tried to explain. “I’m serious and focused on Auror training, but I also like to go out and have fun every once in awhile. Apparently my parents have passed their dancing genes down to me and I like to get out every once in awhile and show them off. Bree never wants to go out.”

Maddie didn’t say anything, just let him talk.

“We both know that the relationship isn’t working out lately so we decided to use this holiday to see if we could either work things out or end things on an amicable note.” Ethan finished.

“You don’t sound very upset about the fact that your relationship might be coming to an end,” Maddie commented neutrally.

Ethan was silent a moment. “I guess I’m really not. I wouldn’t tell anyone else this, but I feel like the spark is gone, the one that we had when we first started seeing each other. And I’ve tried to keep it up, and I know Bree has too…”

"Granted I don't have that much experience," Maddie interjected. "But do you really think it should be such hard work?"

Ethan shook his head. "No, relationships shouldn't be hard work. Sometimes they're hard, but if they're worth it, it doesn't feel like work."

Maddie smiled. "That's what my mum always says anyways."

"So what's this- you said you don't have a lot of experience?" Ethan asked. "I'd have thought you'd have guys breaking down the door to ask you out."

Maddie laughed. "Not at all. I think most blokes don't know what to make of me."

"What's not to make?" Ethan was confused.

"I don't know," Maddie said thoughtfully. "Maybe it's because I like to dance in the snow? Maybe I like to wake up early on weekends and just set out a blanket and look up at the sky and watch the clouds? Do you know what they call me at school? Completely Mad Maddie."

"That's horrible," Ethan said, narrowing his eyes. "You're not mad!"

Maddie shrugged. "I don't care what they say. It doesn't really matter. Besides, they used to call my mum Loony when she was at school."

"So it runs in the family a bit?" Ethan teased gently.

"Maybe a little," Maddie admitted. "My dad says I'm a free spirit."

"You sure are," Ethan said. "Well... from what I saw last night that is. I don't know of anyone else who would go and dance around in the snow at midnight."

"You should try it some time," Maddie said giggling.

"Only if you'll show me how it's done," Ethan gave her a grin.

"Okay," Maddie grinned. Although she was having a good time, she knew that she needed to get back so she could take her nieces and Saffron out skating. And she also knew that Ethan wanted to see his kid sister. "We’d better get going."

"You're right." Ethan nodded. They finished their hot chocolate and he left a few Galleons on the table to cover it.

Maddie and Ethan were still laughing as they made their way back to the Burrow.

"You didn't have to carry my packages, too," Maddie said. "I could have carried them seeing as you had much more than I did."

"That's all right," Ethan replied. "Consider it weight training for me," he joked.

"They're going to tip over," Maddie said wincing. "Okay, Ethan. Put them down before we have a catastrophe. I won't tell anyone that you couldn't handle everything. You're reputation as a big, strong male will still be in tact."

"Are you sure Maddie?" Ethan asked. "You're not anything like Aunt Cho with secret keeping are you?"

"No," Maddie said shaking her head. "I'm a good secret keeper."

"All right," he conceded, making sure that he didn't give her the bag with the secret gift he'd bought her. "I suppose this time I'll take some help." he smiled so she'd know he was teasing.

"Good," Maddie said smiling at him as they made their way up the walk to the house. As Ethan set the bags down outside the door, Maddie caught sight of his face. "Oh, Ethan? You have some chocolate on your nose."

"I do?" he asked.

"Yeah," Maddie said, taking the remaining packages from his hands and setting them down. She stood on her tiptoes and touched his nose. "Right there."

"Thanks," he said softly, rubbing his nose with his gloved hand.

"No problem," Maddie said smiling at him. Their faces were inches apart and Maddie felt the butterflies in her stomach as Ethan touched her cheek.

"I don't get why guys don't see how beautiful you are," he whispered.

"You think I'm beautiful?" Maddie asked softly.

"Yeah," he said, a large lump in his throat. "I do."

Maddie smiled and inched closer to him.

"Ethan," someone said as the door opened, startling both Maddie and Ethan. "There you are! I was really upset when I arrived and you weren't here."

"Bree!" Ethan exclaimed. "I didn't think you were coming until later."

"I arrived a few minutes ago," Bree said kissing his cheek. "Your mum said you'd gone shopping."

"Yeah, you know me, everything last minute," Ethan put an arm around her. "Oh Bree, this is Maddie. We used to play together all the time when we were kids."

"It's nice to meet you, Maddie," Bree said offering her hand.

"Likewise," Maddie said smiling at her. "I'll just take these bags inside so you two can catch up. Thanks again for coming with me today, Ethan."

"Yeah it was fun," Ethan said, wanting to go with her instead of staying with Bree, which made him feel like an arse.

"So," Bree said squeezing his hand. "Did you buy anything for me?"

"Maybe," Ethan smiled at her. "Of course I did."

"It's freezing out here," Bree said shivering in her jeans and long-sleeved t-shirt. "Let's go back inside."

"Right," Ethan grabbed his own bags. "Sorry Bree."

"Saffy," Hermione called upstairs as her son and his girlfriend came inside. "Your brother's back!"

"So?" Saffron called back.

"Saffron," Hermione went up the stairs. "You've been talking about him being here the whole day."

"Yes, but that was until I found out he'd left this morning before I woke up," Saffron said breezing past her mother down the stairs. She saw her brother talking to Bree and she frowned as she walked past them.

"Hey Saffy!" Ethan called out and was surprised when she didn't even turn around. "What's wrong with her?" he asked his mother.

"She's upset that you were asleep when she arrived and that you were gone when she woke up," Hermione explained.

"Oh," Ethan said. "We tried to wait for her but we had to get going," he explained. "Think she'll let me talk to her?"

"You should try," Hermione said patting him on the arm.

"All right," Ethan replied. He gave Bree a quick kiss and promised to join her in the kitchen in a few minutes. "Hey you," he said, walking into the sitting room.

Saffron turned away from him and concentrated on her magazine.

"Saffron," Ethan sat down next to her. "I know you're mad at me for not being around much but I've been really busy. And I had to go get Christmas presents today."

"Not busy even to see Miss Cheese in there though, right?" Saffron asked him.

"Come on Saffy, we just got home and she was at the door," Ethan replied. "And don't call her Miss Cheese."

"You missed summer holiday too," Saffron pointed out. "And you know that I wouldn't get to see you until Christmas."

"I know," Ethan replied. "But I'm on hols now until after you go back to school, so we'll get to spend loads of time together. And I'm coming with this afternoon when Maddie takes you ice skating."

"Really?" Saffron asked turning around. "Is SHE coming, too?"

"I haven't said anything to her," Ethan replied. "I came right in here to talk to you when you went stomping past us out there in the hallway."

Saffron looked sheepishly at him. "I know. I'm sorry. You just made me mad."

"I'm sorry," he apologised. "I didn't mean to, you know that. I miss you Saffy."

Saffron hugged him. "You're such a prat, you know that, right?"

"Look who's talking," Ethan replied, squeezing her side. "Take it back or I won't stop tickling you!"

"Stop it!" Saffron said, giggling.

"Not until you take it back," Ethan said, laughing.

"Okay, I take it back," Saffron said breathlessly.

"That's right," Ethan finally let up his tickle attack. "I did miss you Saffy."

"I can't wait until you're done with training," Saffron said.

"That makes two of us," Ethan stood up and Saffron climbed onto his back. "Not a piggyback ride," he moaned playfully. "Aren't you too old for that now?"

"Nope," Saffron said. "Are you getting too old for that now?"

"Never," Ethan replied. "I'm only eight years older than you."

"Hey you two!" Bree asked coming inside. "Hello, Saffron."

"Hi Mi-- Bree," Saffron caught herself.

"You two seem to be getting along now," Bree said smiling at them.

"She can't stay mad at me for long," Ethan grinned at his sister.

"I have the same problem," Bree said with a laugh. "He's very hard to stay cross with."

"That's right," Ethan announced proudly.

"We're going ice skating this afternoon," Saffron said.

"Oh really?" Bree said scrunching up her nose. "Well, I hope you have a nice time. I haven't been skating in years, but that's because last time I did I could barely walk for a week."

"Why don't you come?" Ethan asked. "I'll give us a chance to talk," he added quietly.

"Why don't we stay here?" Bree asked him. "We can talk here."

"I promised Maddie I'd help her- she's taking four kids skating," Ethan said. "But I won't be on the ice the whole time and we can talk then."

"Can't someone else go with her to help?" Bree asked. "Come on, Ethan. We need some time alone."

"I know but-- Ow Saffron!" he said as his younger sister dug her elbow into his side.

"You promised," Saffron hissed in his ear.

"I know Saffy, but Bree and I really need to talk about some things," Ethan said.

"Fine," Saffron said grabbing her magazine and walking out of the room in a huff.

Ethan sighed. "It seems I just can't please everyone," he muttered.

"She'll get over it," Bree said gently. "We need some time alone, Ethan."

"I know we do but I feel bad. She was really upset when I went to Devonshire with you instead of coming home during summer holiday." Ethan replied.

"And she holds that against me now," Bree said sitting down on the sofa. "I shouldn't have made you go. You were miserable the whole time."

"I was not miserable," Ethan replied. "I missed my family but I had a good time with you. And Saffron's not holding anything against you Bree."

Bree inched closer to him on the sofa. "She thinks I'm taking her brother away from her. She scowled at me when I arrived. I think it's pretty easy to see that she hates me."

"She does NOT hate you," Ethan said firmly, putting an arm around her.

Bree wasn't convinced, but she was willing to drop the issue. "I missed you."

"I've missed you as well," Ethan agreed.

"Have you now?" Bree asked, kissing him.

"Yes," he replied, kissing her back. As soon as his eyes closed an image of Maddie just outside the door came into his mind and Ethan couldn't help but compare this to the feeling he'd had when he almost kissed the blonde outside.

Upstairs, Maddie knocked on Saffron's bedroom door. She had quickly changed into her warmest jumper and had helped get her niece get ready.

"Saffy?" Maddie asked. "Are you ready to go?"

"I'm not going!" Saffron said, brushing her tears away.

"Caroline?" Maddie asked kneeling down in front of her young niece. "How about you go and check on Katie and Ashley and you lot meet me downstairs in a few minutes?"

"Okay Auntie Maddie," Caroline agreed, skipping away.

Maddie opened Saffron's door and saw the younger girl staring out the window.

"What's wrong?" she asked putting a hand on Saffron’s back.

"Ethan wants to spend all his time with that Cheese girl and none with me," Saffron sobbed. "All she had to do was walk in the room and he decided not to go skating with us anymore. And he told me he promised to help you too."

Maddie couldn't hide the disappointment on her face at this news. She too, had been looking forward to spending some more time with Ethan.

"Saffy," Maddie said gently. "Ethan told me just today how much he missed spending time with you and Julie. He just---he just has a lot of things that are competing for his attention."

"Yeah but he promised!" Saffron burst out angrily.

"I know," Maddie said quietly. "But you and Ethan will have plenty of time together over the holiday, Saffy."

"Not if Miss Cheese is here," Saffron huffed.

Maddie stifled a laugh at the nickname. "Come on, Saffy. What would you rather do? Sulk up here or go ice skating with a cool four-year old and the terrible twosome---Katie and Ashley? Come on, if you don't go, I'll have to face them all by myself."

Saffron ground her eyes with her small fists. "I guess I'll go with you," she said quietly.

"Do you want to know something about your big brother?" Maddie asked her. "I don't think you were more than a few months old, but he decided that he was going to be your great protector. I remember how he camped out in the nursery with you and set up this fort with old bed linens. He wouldn't even let me come inside, Saffy."

"Really?" Saffron asked with a sniffle. "He did that?"

"He sure did," Maddie said smiling at her. "Camped out for nearly a fortnight."

"No one ever told me that," Saffron giggled, thinking of her brother doing that.

"You should ask him about it some time," Maddie said laughing too. "He used to make up these monsters that he was saving you from, too. I once had to pretend to be Princess Cruella and I was going to take you back to my castle so a fire-eating dragon could eat you up."

Saffron giggled even harder. "Sounds like you guys had a lot of fun together."

"We did," Maddie said wistfully. "Sometimes, I..."

"Auntie Maddie!" Caroline called out. "We're ready to go!"

"Let me go wash my face and I'll come downstairs," Saffron said, getting up. At the door she turned back around. "I wish you would date my brother. You'd be a cool girlfriend."

Maddie laughed, but deep down, she wished the same thing.

23. Chapter 23

CHAPTER TWENTY THREE

A/N: Well most of you are really enjoying the beginnings of the Ethan/Maddie relationship, so here’s hoping you guys like this chapter as well.

And don’t hate Miss Cheese (oops we mean Bree) too much ;) She’s really not a bad person! Think of her as Megan, only less annoying hahaha

Also- for the ages- Maddie is actually seventeen, going on eighteen, and Ashley’s seven, Katie is five. Saffy’s thirteen and RJ’s fifteen. If you have any other questions regarding ages let us know and we’ll post a list for you in a review reply.

As always, please let us know what you think by leaving a review!!

Later that evening, after dinner in which he was bombarded about questions from his training; Ethan sat in the kitchen with his father. "Dad can I talk to you?" he asked.

"Sure," Harry said smiling at his son. "What's on your mind?"

"Well..." Ethan tried to figure out where to begin. "You know how Maddie and I went out shopping earlier right?"

"Yes," Harry replied, leaning back in his chair.

"I almost kissed her," Ethan confessed. "We were talking and she's just become this... amazing woman. And Bree and I have been having troubles lately and I don't know what to do about any of it."

Harry didn't know what he should ask about first---his son's near kiss with Maddie Weasley or Ethan's problems with his girlfriend.

"Well, you and Bree seemed to be getting along alright at dinner," Harry commented.

"Did you notice we seemed more like friends than a boyfriend and girlfriend?" Ethan asked. "Even when we were kissing earlier there was just nothing to it."

"That's the way Cho and I were years ago when we were dating," Harry said.

"I guess I just don't know what to do about all this," Ethan said, pushing his hands through his hair.

"When did all of this begin with Maddie?" Harry asked him. "You haven't seen her in months, right?"

"Not in a long time," Ethan replied. He told his father about seeing her out dancing in the snow the night before. "And then we just had so much fun when we were out getting Christmas presents today..."

"Regardless of what new feelings you might be having for Maddie," Harry said quietly. "I think you need to talk to Bree."

"We've been trying to talk all night," Ethan said morosely. "We can't get a moment together."

"How about you try now?" Harry asked. "Everyone's pretty much getting ready for bed."

"I could try," Ethan replied.

"Daddy," Saffron said coming into the kitchen in her pyjamas. When she saw her brother, she froze. "Oh, hi Ethan."

"Hey Saffy," Ethan spoke up. "How was ice skating?"

"It was fun," Saffron said. "It would have been more fun with you, but I guess I understand why you couldn't come with."

Ethan pulled her over and gave her a hug. "I promise to take you at least twice before you go back to school. And I promise to take at least three afternoons for just you and me to do whatever we want okay?"

"I'd like that," Saffron said grinning at him. "Hey, Ethan? Did you really set up a fort in the nursery when I was a baby?"

"How did you find out about that?" Ethan asked as Harry began to laugh.

"From Princess Cruella," Saffron replied dryly.

Ethan turned red. "You were talking to Maddie about me?"

"She was trying to make me feel better," Saffron said quickly. "Don't be mad at her, Ethan. I was really angry with you because I thought you liked Bree more than us. And she said that you loved me very much and she told me about how you made it your mission to protect me."

"Aye, she's right," Ethan replied. "About me protecting you when we were kids. And that I love you Saffy." he grinned and mussed her hair.

"I'm going to hold you to your promises, little man," Saffron said impishly. "Dad told me about that little nickname."

"Gee thanks Dad," Ethan said but he was grinning. "At least he never calls me baby."

"I like it when he calls me that," Saffron said punching her brother in the arm.

"That's right," Harry drew his youngest daughter into his arms. "What are you doing down here? I thought you were going to bed."

"I was coming to give you a hug," Saffron said giggling. "And to grab a chocolate biscuit or two."

"If there are any left," Harry replied. "Your uncle Ron inhaled the plate about ten minutes ago."

"Nana Molly always hides some," Saffron said mischievously.

"That's true," Harry laughed.

"I'm going to try and talk to Bree," Ethan stood up.

"Good luck son," Harry said.

"Thanks," Ethan replied. He went up the stairs to the room where Molly had put Bree. He knocked softly on the door. "Bree?" he called.

"Come in," she called out.

"Hey," he said, slipping inside.

"What would everyone say if they saw you in here?' Bree asked teasingly.

"Who knows," Ethan laughed. "Nothing good most likely."

"I almost wish we were back at your flat," Bree said laughing. "Then we could do what we wanted."

Ethan gave her a half smile. "Yeah," he replied. "Listen I'm really sorry we haven't got a chance to talk. We both said we wanted some time to sit down this holiday and it's just already been so crazy."

"It's enough that we're together now," Bree said softly. "Things have been hectic, but we can work on our problems, Ethan. You'll be through with your training and I'll finish my classes. We just have to be patient."

"Well yes I suppose but..." Ethan sat on the edge of the bed.

"But what?" Bree asked. "Ethan?"

"What do you feel now Bree?" Ethan asked.

Bree smiled. "I feel happy."

"Even though we've barely seen each other in the past few months?" Ethan asked. "You don't want more than that?"

"I'd like to see more of you, of course," Bree said quietly. "But I understand that you've been busy. I know that distance and time have always been issues for us, but we can work through that."

"But what I'm saying is that time and distance might always be issues." Ethan said. "I'm going to be going all around doing who knows what as an Auror. And once you finish school you'll be going all over the place yourself."

"And time and distance won't be an issue for you and that girl?" Bree retorted.

"What girl, Maddie?" Ethan asked. "Maddie and I are friends. Don't get jealous of her."

"Just friends?" Bree asked angrily. "I saw how you looked at her tonight at dinner. I thought I was imagining it, but I wasn't was I? You and I have been going out for six months and you've never once looked at me like that."

"Bree," Ethan began. "I thought you were okay with us taking this time to talk our relationship out. Now you're acting as if I've been cheating on you."

"I'm not accusing you of anything, Ethan," Bree said quietly. "But before we came here, you and I talked about wanting to do whatever we had to make this work. And now you don't seem like you want to do that. I can't help wondering if she had something to do with that."

"I haven't seen her in months," Ethan replied.

"Okay," Bree said nodding. "You're right. Our relationship problems have nothing to do with her."

"It's just that... I don't want to hurt you Bree. I care about you a lot." Ethan said.

"But you don't love me," Bree said looking at him. "Do you?"

"Not like you want," Ethan finished.

Neither of them said a word for a long time.

"I think I'm going to go," she finally said, standing up.

"No don't leave," Ethan said, grabbing her hand. "I really want us to stay friends Bree. I know that sounds corny as hell but I really want that."

"I-I can't be here, Ethan," Bree said trying to hold it together. "Maybe someday we can be friends, but I just can't do that now."

Ethan felt horrible. "I'm so sorry Bree," he said quietly. "Here I am ruining your holidays. I'm such an arse."

She knew he wanted her to tell him that he wasn't an arse and that he wasn't ruining her holidays, but she couldn't tell him that.

"It's a good thing I didn't unpack properly," she found herself saying instead.

"Let me help you," he said.

"With what?" Bree asked him. "You and I both know you want to go. I do love you, Ethan. And you just broke my heart. What do you expect to happen? You help me carry my bag downstairs? You give me a friendly hug right before I leave?"

Ethan sighed in frustration. "Just that nothing I say now is right. And yeah, I don't expect you to be all happy about this Bree. But something tells me you knew this was coming as well as I did."

"No, I didn't," Bree said. "What I thought was that you were committed to me and to our relationship. I haven't even been here a whole day before you're ready to chuck me."

"I'm not ready to chuck you," Ethan said, growing a bit angry. "Would you rather have sat around here with me knowing how I felt and us just tiptoeing around it and ruining the holiday for everyone?"

Bree snapped shut the clasp on her suitcase. "You're not ready to chuck me? You just did, Ethan."

"That's not what I'm doing and you know it," Ethan said sharply. "I want you to stay."

"Why?"

"Because like I said, I do care about you." Ethan lowered his voice. "Despite the fact that I don't think we're cut out to be a couple. We've already broken up once before Bree. Things just haven't been the same this time around."

Bree wanted to argue with him, but couldn't. Things hadn't been the same this time around, but she still loved him.

"I don't think I can stay, Ethan," she said wiping a tear from her cheek. "I know you can't understand that, but it would just be too hard for me."

He seemed to deflate a bit. "Can we get together once the holidays are over?" he asked. "Just to talk things over?"

"Sure," Bree said nodding. Another tear fell down her cheek. She wasn't expecting to ever hear from him again. "Please give my best to your family and the Weasleys. And...tell them I'm sorry I had to go."

"Bree," Ethan stood up. "I really do care. I'm not just saying that."

"Goodbye, Ethan."

"See you soon Bree," Ethan said as she left the bedroom.

A few minutes later, Harry was walking upstairs when he saw his son come out of Bree's bedroom.

"How'd it go?" Harry asked, but by the look on his son's face he already knew the answer.

"Bad," Ethan sighed. "I feel like crap Dad. She felt a lot more for me than I did for her. And now I think I ruined her holidays."

"There's no perfect way to end things, Ethan," Harry said. "Someone is always going to get hurt."

"Yeah I know but I feel like I should have done it a better way," Ethan replied. "I've never had to break up with someone before."

"You didn't tell her that you hoped the two of you could still be friends, did you?" Harry asked.

"Yeah," Ethan said. "Why was that wrong?"

"Girls never want to hear that," Harry said with a laugh. "It's tantamount to you fancying someone and having them tell you that they think of you like a brother."

"But I really do want to be friends with her Dad," Ethan said. "I care about her. I'm just not in love with her."

"I know," Harry said putting an arm around his son. "But girls don't want to hear that when you're breaking their heart. Bree's just going to need some time, Ethan. You never know, son. Cho and I broke up and she's one of my best friends."

"I'll keep that in mind," Ethan replied. "I told her I wanted to see her after the holidays were over but I don't think she believed me."

"Just give her some time," Harry counselled his son.

"I just can't help but feel horrible," Ethan said.

"I know you feel bad now, but would you really have wanted to stay in a relationship with someone that you didn't love?" Harry asked him.

"No," Ethan shook his head. "I think I'd feel worse if I dragged her along through Christmas and then broke things off."

"Don't be so hard on yourself, Ethan."

"I'll try not to be," Ethan replied. "I'm going downstairs to get a drink."

"Saffy saved you some biscuits," Harry said smiling at his son. "She hid them under a tea cosy."

"Fantastic," Ethan said. "I'll see you tomorrow Dad."

"Night, son."

Ethan went down the stairs and into the kitchen, immediately finding the aforementioned biscuits. He was hoping there would be some Firewhisky nearby but he had to settle for some butterbeer instead.

Maddie was having trouble sleeping and decided that she'd go downstairs to get some warm milk. She tiptoed down the stairs and walked into the dark kitchen, not seeing Ethan sitting at the table.

"Are you angry with me?" a voice made her jump. She turned around to see Ethan with some of Nana's chocolate biscuits in front of him. "You haven't said a word to me since this afternoon."

"Ethan," she said softly. "I'm not angry with you."

His face relaxed. "Good," he said. "That's one less person then. I think Bree hates me now."

"Why would you say that?" Maddie asked walking over to him. "She seemed pretty happy to see you this afternoon."

Ethan sighed. "I just broke up with her. I thought she was in the same stage of our relationship that I was, only I found out she wanted more than I could give her."

"Oh," Maddie said quietly. She hadn't expected this and being as she'd never had the experience of breaking up with someone, she didn't really quite know what to say. "You broke up with her during the holidays?"

Ethan winced. "Yeah. I know, I'm a git, a prat, an arse... but I didn't want to wait until after to just spring it on her."

"I'm sorry," Maddie said. "I shouldn't have said anything. It's not my place."

Ethan shook his head. "I just didn't know what to do. I even asked her to stay but she said no." he didn't want to mention that Bree thought Maddie had something to do with his feelings for her.

"You didn't really expect her to stay, did you?" Maddie asked. When she saw the look on his face, she let out a hollow laugh. "I just keep sticking my foot in my mouth. I guess I really am my father's daughter sometimes, right?"

"It's okay," Ethan replied. "My dad told me that I shouldn't have asked her to be friends, and I shouldn’t have tried to make her stay. I just really didn't want to hurt her Maddie. I do care about her."

"I know you do," Maddie said thoughtfully, sitting down. "And she knows that, too. She'd probably just hurting right now."

"I just wish that there was something I could do," Ethan muttered, running his hands through his hair. "I hate the thought that I ruined her holidays."

"I wish I knew something to say," Maddie said smiling shyly at him. "But I do think that everything happens for a reason."

"Yeah I guess," Ethan replied, taking a large swig of butterbeer. "Man I wish I had some Firewhisky."

"Grandpa Arthur keeps some hidden in the cabinet over the stove," Maddie said.

"He does?" Ethan brightened. He went to the cabinet and after digging around for a moment extracted a half empty bottle. "Fantastic."

"I don't see how you can drink that stuff," Maddie said grimacing.

"Just once in awhile," Ethan replied, pouring a bit into a glass. "Want to try it?"

"No thank you," Maddie said standing up and walking over to the icebox. "I think I'll stick with my warm milk."

"Okay," Ethan gulped it down, half enjoying the burning sensation it left in his throat.

"How are things with you and Saffy?" Maddie asked as she poured some milk into a saucepan.

"Better," Ethan said, resting his forehead against the cool glass of the window. "Thanks for talking to her by the way. Princess Cruella."

Maddie laughed. "She was pretty upset with you. I hope you don't mind me telling her about that."

"No, its fine," Ethan said, returning the bottle to the cupboard and grabbing his butterbeer. "I hate disappointing her."

"She just wants to spend time with her big brother," Maddie said pouring her warm milk into a mug. "I was the same with Josh and Jon when I was little."

"Your nieces sure like spending time with you," Ethan commented, his eyes on her as she moved back to the table.

"I enjoy spending time with them," Maddie said. "Caroline kept wanting me to show her how to spin when we were at the lake earlier. And she's so independent, you know? I showed her how to do it, but then she wanted to do it all by herself."

Ethan smiled. "I wish I'd come with you guys now."

"We had a good time," Maddie said. "But we did make plans to go again during the holiday. You're more than welcome to come with next time."

"Definitely," Ethan replied. "I promised Saffy that I'd spend a few afternoons with her."

"You'd better keep your promise this time," Maddie teased. "I wouldn't want to tell her how you yelled at her while she was in your mum's tummy."

Ethan laughed. "I promise I will be there this time."

Maddie drained her mug and smiled at Ethan. "I should probably get to bed."

"Me too," Ethan replied. "Tomorrow being Christmas Eve and all. I have to wrap all those presents I bought today. Plus Nana Molly and Grandpa Arthur have their tree decorating party."

"Are your mum's parents coming?" Maddie asked him.

"I think so," Ethan replied. "Remind me to ask her tomorrow morning."

"Will do," Maddie said. She went to wash her mug, but Ethan took it from her. "Such the gentleman, aren't we?"

"I try," Ethan replied, setting the dishes aside. Maddie dried them and put them back in the cupboard. "Listen, thanks for talking with me tonight."

"No problem," Maddie said, giving him a hug. "Don't be too hard on yourself."

"I'll try not to be," Ethan replied, taking the moment to bury his face in her hair. She smelled of lilacs and something else he couldn't quite put his finger on.

Reluctantly, Maddie pulled away. "I guess I'll see you tomorrow then?"

"Yeah," Ethan replied. "Have a good night's sleep. No dancing in the snow."

"I'm too knackered from shopping and skating," Maddie said with a grin. "No dancing for me tonight."

"Night Madeline," Ethan said, watching her go down the hall to her room.

*** *** ***

Christmas morning found Caroline Weasley tiptoeing out of the room she was sharing with Katie and Ashley Malfoy. She'd only slept a couple of hours last night because she'd been so excited about Santa's arrival. She knocked on her parents' bedroom door and didn't wait for a response as she opened the door.

"Daddy?" Caroline asked softly, shaking her father. "Daddy?"

Jon was dead to the world but Allison had already been waking up on and off. "What is it sweetheart?" she asked groggily.

"HAPPY CHRISTMAS!" Caroline screamed happily.

"What?" Jon jerked awake. "Where's the fire?"

Caroline giggled. "There's no fire, Daddy! It's Christmas! I'm ready to see my presents!"

"Caroline," Jon rubbed at his eyes. "It's five in the morning baby. Go back to sleep for a little while."

"Everyone else is still asleep, Caroline," Allison said motioning for her little girl to climb into bed. "You stay here with Daddy and me and then we'll go downstairs in a bit."

"But Mummy please," Caroline begged.

"Caroline Weasley," Jon began.

"But Daddy what if someone goes down there and takes my presents?" Caroline asked pleadingly.

"No one's going to do that baby," Allison said.

Caroline climbed into the bed and pouted.

"Caroline baby," Jon said. "I'm begging you, sweetheart. Don't give me that look."

"Can we go down in fifteen minutes?" Caroline asked.

"Fifteen minutes works for me," Jon said happily. He hoped that his daughter would be so tired that she'd fall asleep before the fifteen minutes passed.

"Come here my sweet girl," Allison said holding out her arms.

Caroline climbed up next to her mother and Allison kissed her daughter's forehead. "How much sleep did you get last night baby?"

"Two or three hours," Caroline answered softly. "I kept watching the clock."

"You've got to be exhausted," Allison replied. She suddenly put a hand to her stomach. "The baby's kicking again. Want to feel it?"

"Can I?" Caroline asked excitedly.

"Of course you can," Allison brought her daughter's hand to her belly and Jon put his hand on top of Caroline's. The Weasleys sat for a few minutes in contented silence before they heard excited voices and footsteps outside, running down the hall towards the sitting room.

"Everyone's awake, baby," Caroline said to her mother's stomach. "Did you hear that, mum? The baby thinks we should go and open presents."

"Nice try Caroline," Jon said. "Go ahead. Your Mum and I will be down in a minute."

Caroline smiled and ran out of the room.

"Guess we'd better go," Jon yawned. "So much for a good night's sleep."

"You can say that again," Allison struggled to get up and her husband slipped her pink robe over her shoulders. "Thank you." she smiled and gave him a kiss.

"Promise me that we get to come back here for a kip later," Jon said.

"That's a promise," Allison kissed him again.

"Come on," Jon said squeezing her hand and leading her out of the bedroom.

"Happy Christmas, big brother!" Maddie said giving him a hug.

"Thanks Mad Dog," Jon said, giving her an affectionate squeeze. "Happy Christmas to you too."

"And how is my favourite pregnant sister-in-law?" Maddie asked giving Allison a hug.

"Very pregnant," Allison said. "Baby's quite active this morning too."

"Would that be my big brother you're referring to or the baby in here?" Maddie asked patting Allison's stomach.

"You probably don't want to know," Allison laughed.

"Hey Happy Christmas everyone," Ethan had joined them. Maddie was glad to see he looked a little more cheerful than he had the previous day.

"Happy Christmas!" Maddie said giving him a hug. She laughed at the state of his hair. "Is your hair always this messy in the mornings?"

"Yes," Ethan said, rumpling it some more. "Adds to my charm don't you think?"

"You should have seen mine before I put it into plaits," Maddie said toying with one of them.

"I'm sure it looked horrible," Ethan deadpanned. "Come on, if we don't get down there soon there may not be any presents left to open. My nieces are quick."

"You're right," Maddie said leading the way down the stairs. The children were already furiously opening presents.

"Happy Christmas, Mum!" Ethan said, giving Hermione a hug.

"You too love," Hermione kissed her son's cheek. "You'd better get in there." she motioned to the fray in front of them.

"My dad isn't awake yet, is he?" Maddie asked.

"I think he's in the kitchen," Hermione replied, giving the young woman a hug. "His second home."

"We'll be lucky if we get table scraps," Maddie whispered to Ethan.

"Tell me about it," he said, sitting on the sofa and reaching in for Saffron's gift.

"You're opening mine first?" Saffron asked momentarily forgetting about her own presents.

"Sure," Ethan said. "Didn't you get mine yet?"

"I did!" Saffron exclaimed, giving him a hug. "I'd been wanting those for such a long time, Ethan!"

"I'm glad you like them," he chuckled, patting her back. "Let's see here what you got me..." he unwrapped the gift.

Saffron sat down beside her brother and watched as he opened up her present. She'd spent all her free time knitting him the red and gold scarf and she hoped that he liked it.

"Hey!" Ethan said. "This is fantastic!" he looped it around his neck. "I can't wait for everyone in training to see this!"

"You really like it?" Saffron asked him. "It's okay if you don't, but do you really like it?"

"I love it," Ethan gave her a hug. "Thank you so much."

"She made me this hat," Julie said from across the room.

"Greta taught you well," Nick said to his sister in law. "She always wanted to teach me how to do that, but I could never sit still long enough."

"There's a big surprise," Harry teased.

Maddie helped Caroline open up her presents and several of her own. "I think that's almost everything," she said, looking around at the disaster of a living room.

Ethan was under the tree, digging around. "Almost, but not quite," he handed Maddie the small wrapped package that had the Cornish Pixie in it.

"This is for me?" Maddie asked taken aback.

"Yes," Ethan sat back against the sofa with a grin.

Maddie smiled as she slowly unwrapped the package. She opened the gift box and pulled back the tissue paper. As she looked at the silver bracelet and the Cornish Pixie charm she felt her breath catch in her throat.

"I can't believe it," she whispered.

"Happy Christmas," Ethan said softly.

Tears welled up in Maddie's eyes at Ethan's gesture and the memory of her childhood pet.

"This is the best present anyone has ever given me," she said softly. "I don't know what to say..."

"You don't have to say anything," Ethan replied. "I'm just glad you like it."

“I love it," Maddie said giving him another hug.

Ethan couldn't stop the racing yet pleasant lurch in his stomach as she pressed her lips to his cheek. "I got it when you were in the back of that store," he said, helping fasten it to her wrist.

"You're very sneaky, Ethan," Maddie said laughing. "Did they teach you that in training?"

"Why yes they did," He replied.

Maddie smiled. Everyone else had already moved out of the sitting room and into the kitchen and she and Ethan were alone. She started to get to her feet, but he grabbed her arm.

"What?" she asked softly. "What is it?"

"I just... wanted to thank you again for talking to me the other night," he said quietly. "I did a lot of thinking and I decided what I did was right."

"I didn't really do anything," Maddie said. "Other than telling you where Grandpa keeps his secret stash."

Ethan grinned. "Well since I've gotten here you've just been really good to have around- you listen without judging and I just wanted you to know that I appreciate it."

Maddie smiled. "So I guess I'm not just some stupid girl with a cool pixie, eh?"

"Nah," Ethan smiled back. "You're a bright, attractive young woman with a cool pixie."

Maddie moved to kiss him on the cheek again, but at the last second, he turned and she found her lips pressed against his.

24. Chapter 24

Authors’ note: We hope you guys enjoy this latest update. Some answers to some FAQ”s we’ve gotten from the reviews. We haven’t given up on writing H/Hr. They will and always will be the cornerstone of our story and they will have more moments ahead. We do have other characters, too and we don’t want to short change them either. We’re trying to give equal time. As for Josh and Lizzy, they are still dating, but are not married. And you will see the Longbottoms---Cho and Neville appear at the Burrow to spend Christmas with Jon, Allie and Caroline. And Greta is not dead. She is working for Julie and Nick now as their nanny since Saffron is away at school. Hope that clears up some questions for you guys and if you have any more, put them in your review and we will try and respond. Hope you enjoy the rest of Christmas at the Burrow.

CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

Ethan’s eyes shot open in surprise but then closed a moment later when she didn't move away.

Maddie had dreamt most of her life about what kissing him would be like. This was much better than anything she'd ever imagined.

Ethan wound his arms around her waist, pulling her even closer. He moved his hands up her back and kissed her harder.

Maddie pulled away a few moments later with a dazed, dreamy expression on her face.

"Wow," Ethan managed to say. "Maddie... that was..."

"Unexpected," Maddie said softly.

"You can say that again," he said. He realised how closely he was still holding her and reluctantly let his arms drop from her waist.

"Ethan!" Saffron yelled from the kitchen. "You better get in here or you and Maddie won't get anything to eat!"

"Come on," Ethan took her hand. "We'd best get in there or go hungry."

"Okay," Maddie said smiling at him as they walked into the kitchen.

"About time you two," Julie teased.

"Are you all right dear?" Luna asked her youngest daughter, putting an arm around her. "You look flushed."

"I’m fine," Maddie said exchanging a look with Ethan. "Never been better."

"What's this?" Luna lifted her arm and looked at the bracelet with interest. "Is that a Cornish Pixie in there?"

"Don't let it loose!" Ron exclaimed, joining his wife and daughter.

"Dad!" Maddie said laughing. "He can't get out!"

"I bet I know its name," Nick teased her. "Dolly the 33rd?"

"Maybe it is," Maddie said defensively. "And maybe you are a w-a-n-k-e-r, right Dad?"

"Madeline Molly!" Luna said. "You may be seventeen but you are a young lady."

"I never said anything about the name," Ron pretended to look injured. "And I'm the wanker?"

"No, she was referring to me," Nick said throwing a piece of his pastry at Maddie.

"That's really mature, Nicholas," Maddie said grinning at him.

Nick grinned. "I never claimed to be mature."

"What's a wanker, Grandpa?" Caroline asked Ron.

"Something not very nice," Luna answered for him. "Ronald don't you even start with your language."

"Is it a really bad word, Grandpa?" Caroline whispered in Ron's ear.

"Kind of," Ron whispered back. "I like to say it during Quidditch matches."

"Grandpa Neville does too!" Caroline said. "But if you don't think I should say it, I won't."

"Thank you," Ron grinned at his granddaughter. "You just got me out of the doghouse with your Grandma."

"Can I ask you something else, Grandpa?" Caroline asked innocently.

"Of course you can sweetheart," Ron said.

"How do you get your foot in your mouth?" Caroline asked. "Because you have really big feet and Grandma said that you are always putting your foot in your mouth."

"Luna said what?" Ron looked over at his wife who grinned sheepishly.

"Caroline," Allison said giggling. "That just means that your grandpa sometimes says things without thinking first."

"Oh," Caroline nodded. "Like Daddy does too?"

"I'm nowhere near as bad as your grandpa," Jon told his daughter.

"Thanks," Ron said sarcastically. "The support of my family makes me feel all warm and loved."

"I still love you, Dad," Maddie said squeezing his shoulder.

"Thank you sweetheart," Ron replied. "You're the only one that understands Madeline."

"Big surprise," Josh teased his baby sister. "You've had dad around your little finger for how long?"

"Since I was born," Maddie said smugly.

"Drew, Darla and Maddie had it a whole lot easier than we did," Josh said.

"Oh you two act as if you had such a rough life," Ron replied.

"We couldn't get away with anything," Jon argued. "What if it had been me or Josh who had torn up your Cannons shirt?"

"You'd still be begging for sickles on the corners," Ron said.

"Need I remind all of you that I fixed Dad's shirt?" Maddie chimed in. "And it looked much better..."

"After you spellotaped it," her brothers and sisters chorused at the same time.

"Yes, well," Maddie said glaring at them, but then bursting out into a fit of laughter. "I still say I did a pretty nice job."

"That you did," Ron smiled at his youngest daughter.

Ethan grinned at her as she took the seat next to him. "Still taking the mickey out of you for that all these years later?"

"Every family get together seems to get back to that eventually," Maddie said laughing. "Feel free to add to it if you'd like."

"That's all right," Ethan said, moving his chair a bit closer as he stole a muffin from right under Ron's fingers. "Want to split this? It's chocolate chip."

"Sure," Maddie said. "I'm starving."

Ethan cut it in half and handed her the bigger piece. "I remember how you used to eat these all the time at school," he remarked. "No one could get near the basket on the table."

Maddie looked at him in surprise. "You never paid any attention to me when we were in school..."

"I noticed you," Ethan said. "After you stopped trying to get me to marry you," he teased.

"Oh, please," Maddie said grinning at him. “You stayed as far away from me as you could because you were afraid I was going to ask you to marry me in the Great Hall or something. I'll let you in on a little secret...I kind of gave up on you when I was around nine years old. I figured it was a lost cause."

"Now do you think it is?" Ethan asked.

"I don't know," Maddie said truthfully. ""This is all new for me, Ethan. And you've just gotten out of a relationship."

"Yeah I know," Ethan replied. "I don't want you to think I'm being pushy-"

"I don't think you are," Maddie interjected. "Not at all, but I'm not so sure this is the best time for you and me."

"Maybe not," Ethan agreed. "But can we just see how things go while we're all here together?"

"I'd like that," she said with a smile.

"Great," Ethan said, reaching for her hand. "You still owe me a dance in the snow."

"You're on," Maddie said laughing as she took the last bite of muffin from him.

"Would you look at that?" Luna whispered to her husband, motioning to their youngest daughter.

"What?" Ron asked with his mouth full.

"Maddie and Ethan," Luna said.

"What?" Ron asked. "Since when? I thought he was dating that other girl!"

"Harry said that she left the other night, remember? She wasn’t there when we decorated the tree yesterday?"

"Oh," Ron replied, looking at his daughter and Ethan who were laughing at something.

"You okay with that?" Luna asked him. "You're not going to go all Neville on them, are you?"

Ron snorted. "No," he replied. "Ethan's a good bloke. Of course I'll have to threaten him with bodily harm if he hurts her-"

"I'll hold him down for you if he does," Luna said.

"It looks just like Dolly," Maddie was now peering into the Cornish Pixie charm dangling from her wrist. She laughed delightedly as it flitted around.

"They all look pretty much alike, don't they?" Ethan asked her.

"That's not necessarily so," Maddie said, motioning for him to lean closer. "Some of them have little markings along their hands or feet..."

"Okay," Ethan said squinting to get a better look at the miniature pixie. "Maddie? How can you see little markings on this one's feet or hands?"

"Because they're red markings," Maddie said as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"Oh," Ethan said, still squinting. "I still don't see it..."

Maddie shook her head. "You'll just have to look closer."

Ethan leaned in even closer, holding Maddie's wrist up and finally managed to make out a miniscule red dot on the pixie's right foot. "Okay, I see...something."

Maddie smiled at him. "There you see? It wasn't that hard."

"No," Ethan said grinning back at her. "It was there this whole time and all I had to do was look for it."

He wondered if she knew he was talking about more than the markings on a Cornish pixie's feet.

She seemed to know for her smile widened a bit. "You really didn't have to get this for me Ethan. But I'm really glad you did." she giggled a bit.

"Of course I had to get it for you," Ethan said, holding her hand. "I saw the look on your face when you first saw it, Maddie."

"I've never been one to mask what I want," Maddie replied, squeezing his fingers.

"No, you never have," Ethan said laughing.

Caroline was bouncing in her seat. "When is Grandpa Neville coming Daddy?" she asked excitedly.

"I think they're arriving soon, aren't they Al?" Jon asked looking at his wife.

"After lunch," Allison replied, her hand on her belly.

"And Frankie's latest flavour of the month?" Julie asked. "I swear once that girl was able to date, she certainly took advantage of it, didn't she?"

Allison smiled and shook her head. "One of the two she's seeing at the moment, anyway."

"Two?" Ron asked. "She's seeing two blokes at the same time? Do they know this?"

"I have no idea," Allison replied. "So I guess we should say anything about the other one today."

"We'll keep Dad away from him then," Jon said cheekily.

Allison laughed and leaned forward to try and get up. "I guess I should go get showered and dressed." she said, holding onto the table edge. Ron came forward to help his daughter in law.

"You feeling alright today, Allie?" Ron asked.

"Yes, just enormous," she sighed.

"My son is helping you out, isn't he?" Ron asked looking over to where Jon was listening to Caroline telling him a joke.

"Oh yes," Allison nodded. "He and Caroline have both been wonderful," she smiled gratefully as Ron held her arm.

"Good," Ron said smiling back at her. "The smartest thing that boy ever did was fall in love with you..."

Allison laughed. "Thank you," she said, giving her father in law a kiss on the cheek. "I appreciate that."

"See?" Ron asked smiling at her. "Sometimes, I do manage to get the right words out!"

Jon came into the foyer. "Once in awhile, eh Dad?" he teased.

"Jonathan," Ron said laughing. "Take my place. I want to go and see if Mum still has any of those scones..."

Allison leaned against her husband as they went up the stairs. "I'm so tired already," she murmured.

"We were up at the crack of dawn thanks to Caroline," Jon said laughing.

"Aye," Allison said. "Think anyone would mind if I kipped for a bit?"

"Not at all," Jon said as they went back into their bedroom. He yawned. "In fact, I think I might join you."

"That sounds fantastic," Allison said, giving her husband a kiss. "I love you Jon."

"I love you," he said softly. "And you're not enormous, Al. You're beautiful."

"Sweet of you to say," Allison said. "But we both know I'm as big as a house. If I didn't know any better I'd swear I have twins in here."

"They do run in our family," Jon said grinning at her.

"It would certainly explain a lot wouldn't it?" Allison laughed as she eased herself onto the bed.

"Yes it would," Jon said lying down beside her. "We should have let the mediwizard tell us what we were having."

"We liked Caroline being a surprise," Allison said, her eyes already closed.

"Aye," Jon said sleepily.

Allison kissed him back as he leaned over and then she laid her head in the crook of his arm. "Just for an hour," she said faintly. "Then we'll... get up." she yawned.

"Mmhmm," Jon murmured as they both drifted off into a peaceful sleep.

Nearly two and a half hours later and Allison and Jon were still fast asleep. When she realised that her parents had probably already arrived, Allison moved as quickly as she possibly could to take a shower and get dressed. She and Jon finally made their way downstairs and were surprised to see the house nearly empty. On her way back into the kitchen, Molly told her that everyone had gone outside for another game of Quidditch.

"Your dad is in the sitting room with Caroline," Molly told Allison. "She wanted to show him all of her presents."

Allison smiled as she and Jon made their way toward the sitting room.

"Look at this doll, Grandpa," Caroline said holding it up for Neville. "She can cry and burp and talk."

"She can?" Neville asked. "Let me see!"

Caroline grinned and held out the doll for her grandfather to see.

"Mummy," the doll said causing Caroline to giggle. "This wasn't from Santa though, Grandpa," Caroline told him. "Daddy got this for me."

"Your Daddy does a good job with presents doesn't he?" Neville asked rhetorically.

"He does," Caroline said. She smiled up at him. "You and Grandma Cho do a good job, too."

"We love you," Neville said, giving her a kiss on the cheek. "We want you and your cousins to have the best."

"Thank you, Grandpa," she said giving him a hug. As she did so, she caught sight of her parents standing in the doorway.

"Mummy! You're up from your kip!" Caroline exclaimed.

"Sorry about that sweetheart." Allison said as her father got up. "Hi Dad." she gave him as tight a hug as she could.

"You shouldn't be on your feet so much, Allie," Neville said leading her over to the sofa.

"Hello, sir," Jon said shaking Neville's hand.

"You've been my son-in-law for how long?" Neville asked laughing. "And still calling me 'sir'?"

"Sorry Neville," Jon coughed. "Force of habit."

"It's okay," Neville said settling back into his chair. "Caroline was just showing me her presents. She really made out, didn't you sweetie?"

Caroline nodded. "I can't wait to open the rest of my presents!" she chirped. "What did you and Grandma get me?"

"Caroline that's not nice," Jon chastised gently.

"What did you and Grandma get me, please?" Caroline tried again.

"Caroline," Allison spoke up. "It's not polite to ask for presents even if you're asking nicely."

Caroline nodded. "Yes Mummy. I'm sorry Grandpa."

"That's all right love," Neville hugged her again. "Oh it feels like you got so much taller since I saw you!"

"She's growing like a weed," Jon said grinning at his little girl. "It seems like just yesterday, I was teaching her how to walk."

"Daddy it couldn't have been yesterday," Caroline shook her head. "Yesterday we decorated the tree!"

Jon laughed. "You're right my sweet girl, but I was talking about how fast time flies."

"Oh okay Daddy." Caroline said. "Can I go find Auntie Maddie?"

"Sure," Jon said. "She's probably outside with everyone else. Can you get Nana to help you with your coat and mittens?"

Caroline nodded and scampered off into the kitchen.

"She is too much," Neville chuckled, nudging one of the presents that were stacked under the tree for gift opening later that day.

"She is that," Allison agreed. "I'm surprised you're not outside with the others, Dad."

"Caroline insisted on showing me what she'd received," Neville said. "And how could I refuse?"

Jon laughed. "She's a bit like Maddie was when she was that age. But she's never having a Cornish Pixie."

"Never," Allison agreed. "But she does have her heart set up a puppy..."

Neville grinned. "That's good to know..."

"Did you get her a puppy, Dad?" Allison asked.

Neville grinned. "I'm not saying a word." his eyes travelled to a package with quite obvious holes in it almost hidden to the side of the tree.

"Dad," Allison said laughing. "I'm guessing you failed the evasive tactics portion of your Auror training. You so got Caroline a puppy, didn't you?"

Neville grinned. "He looked just like that old Paddy," he said to Jon. "I couldn't resist."

"She's going to be over the moon about this," Jon said smiling at him. "You are going to be her hero."

"It'll be interesting when she opens it," Neville said, getting up. "We've been looking forward to seeing her face."

"Thanks, Dad," Allison said starting to sob.

"Allie," Neville instantly looked concerned.

Allison wiped the tears from her cheeks. "I'm sorry. I cry at everything these days. It's just so great to see you with Caroline."

Neville hugged his daughter. "I wouldn't miss my time with her for the world."

This only caused Allison to cry more.

"I wish it could h-have always been like this, Dad," Allison choked out.

"Sweetheart," Neville said. "It has been like this, for a long time now. I know things started off rough but we got through that."

"I know," she said. "But it does my heart so good to see you with her and to see you talking with Jon. It's just..."

Neville kissed her forehead. "He treats you like a queen and he worships Caroline. That's all I could ask for Allie." He whispered in her ear.

"Thanks, Dad," Allison said smiling at him. "That's all I could ask for too."

"Right," Neville said. "We'd best get you to see your Mum. And Frankie's coming by in a little while with Michael."

"I thought his name was Will?" Jon asked.

"No," Neville said laughing. "Will was her boyfriend during the summer. Michael is the lucky bloke at the moment. That is when Tim isn't around."

"Brother," Jon rolled his eyes. "I'm glad you're a simpler girl Al," he helped her sit down at the kitchen table.

"Hey Neville!" Harry came through the kitchen, Katie under one arm and Ashley under the other.

"Happy Christmas, Harry!" Neville said laughing. "You certainly have your hands full."

"With these two?" Harry grinned at his giggling granddaughters. "Always."

"Grandpa!" Katie squealed. "Put us down!"

Harry set them down and the giggling girls hugged him around the waist. "Hey how am I supposed to walk?" he asked.

'Very carefully," Ashley said laughing. "Come on Grandpa!"

"Where are we going?" Harry asked as they each grabbed his hands.

"You said you would read us a story," Katie said.

"Grandma said she would read us a story," Ashley said. "Grandpa said he would take us for hot chocolate."

"Hot chocolate," Harry nodded. "Let's make that here and then take it in to your grandmother."

"I can't believe you took us up so high on the broom, Grandpa," Katie said. "I was scared, but it was so much fun!"

"Make sure you don't say anything to your mum or your grandmother about that," Harry leaned down. "That's our secret!"

"But wouldn't that be lying?" Katie asked innocently. "Mummy says we should never lie."

"It's just a secret," Harry said. "Just a secret."

"Oh, that's okay then," Katie said smiling up at him.

"If it's a secret, don't tell Caroline's grandma," Ashley said. "She can't keep secrets."

Harry, Neville, Allison and Jon burst out into laughter at that. "You're a smart girl Ashley," Neville said.

"I get that from my Mum," Ashley said proudly.

"You certainly do," Harry swept her up and kissed her cheek. "Let's see where Nana Molly keeps her hot chocolate..."

"Can we have marshmallows, too?" Katie asked.

"You sure can," Harry replied. "Anyone else want hot chocolate?"

"I'll have some," Jon added. "Allie?"

"Sure," Allison agreed. "That sounds fantastic right about now."

Caroline came running into the house, dragging Cho inside with her.

"Can I please open my presents from Grandma and Grandpa?" Caroline asked her mother. "Please? If not all of them, just one?"

"Sweetheart you can wait until everyone gets here." Allison said firmly.

"Pretty please?" Caroline asked, trying the look that Maddie had showed her outside.

Jon began to laugh. "You've been talking to my sister, haven't you?"

"Maybe," Caroline admitted.

"No can do," Jon said. "You'll open your presents once Frankie and man of the hou- Michael get here."

Caroline started to walk away.

"Where are you going love?" Cho asked her granddaughter.

"To have a word with Aunt Maddie," Caroline said stalking out the room.

Allison shook her head. "Wasn't Ethan the same way with the looks you taught him Uncle Harry?"

"He tried," Harry said laughing. "I think he never could grasp that he needed to know when to pick his battles."

"Speaking of looks," Allison said. "Did anyone see him and Maddie looking at each other during breakfast this morning?"

"How could you miss it?" Jon asked. "But I'm not surprised. She's fancied him since they were kids."

"I hope he's not planning on rushing into anything." Harry commented. "He just broke up with Bree two days ago."

"Broke up with Bree?" Cho asked. "Whatever for?"

"Maybe because he was in love with Maddie?" Katie said rolling her eyes. "It's so obvious!"

"He's not in love with Maddie," Harry said.

"Not yet," Jon chimed in.

"Maybe, maybe not," Allison said. "Did you see that Cornish Pixie charm though? She was absolutely thrilled with it!"

"And they did snog," Ashley said causing everyone to look in her direction. She blushed. "I saw them when everyone was in the kitchen eating breakfast."

"He kissed her?" Allison asked with interest.

"I don't know who kissed who first, but they kissed for a long time," Ashley reported.

"Ashley," Harry said. "It's not nice to spy on people."

"I didn't spy Grandpa,” Ashley said quickly. "I was going back in the sitting room to get my scarf from Aunt Saffy and that's when I saw them."

"Well don't tell anyone else about it all right?" Harry replied. "But we can always tell them that Cho spread the word."

"Harry!" Cho said swatting at him. "I'm not as bad as I used to be..."

"Yes you are," Allison, Neville and Jon said together.

"Thanks for the support," Cho said sarcastically.

"You're very welcome," Neville teased.

Later that night, Maddie had been on her way to the loo when she'd paused to look outside for a moment. A smile came to her face when she saw that it had started to snow and a moment later, she was creeping into Ethan's room.

"Ethan," she whispered, shaking him a bit. "Ethan wake up!"

"Maddie," Ethan said groggily. "What is it? Is something the matter?"

"It's snowing," she said with a grin. "Come on outside with me."

"Maddie," Ethan said lying back down. "You're not going to hold me to this now are you? Can't we do it in the morning?"

"No," Maddie tugged on his hand. "It may not be snowing anymore by morning."

Ethan smiled. "You're not going to let me out of this, are you?"

"You said you wanted to do it," Maddie replied pertly. "Come on. I'm going to go put some regular clothes on. I'll meet you in the kitchen in five minutes."

"Okay," he said pulling the covers back. He quickly changed into some warm clothes---the same jumper and jeans he'd worn that evening.

Maddie was already in the kitchen when he came down. She'd thrown her long blonde hair into a haphazard ponytail and was tugging on a warm pair of boots. "Come on," she whispered.

What Ethan wanted most to do was kiss her again and hoped that at some point during this late night dance in the snow, they'd do just that. He followed her outside.

"So where do we want to do this?" he asked laughing at how enthusiastic she was about this.

"Come back here." she grabbed his hand. "We're not so close to the house this way and we don't have to whisper and worry about waking everyone up." she pulled him into the woods and into a clearing.

When she finally found a place, she turned around and grinned at him. He put his hands in his cloak pockets as he watched Maddie begin to twirl around.

"It's just such a free feeling!" Maddie said, her eyes closing. "Come on silly. You didn't come out here just to stand there did you?"

"I'm not going to twirl, that's for sure," Ethan said. "I don't think blokes are supposed to twirl. It goes against our masculinity or something..."

"Ethan," Maddie stopped and put her hands on her hips. "You told me you wanted to come out here with me. You said that just this morning!"

"Okay, okay," Ethan said coming closer. "But you are going to have to cut me some slack, Maddie. I've never done something like this before."

Her grin had returned. "It's not hard," she said, reaching for his hands. "You just... start going around in a circle..."

"Can we call it spinning and not twirling?" Ethan joked.

"All right," Maddie laughed. "We just start spinning like this..." she began to guide him around.

"Or we could do something like this," Ethan said putting his hands on her waist and lifting her off the ground.

She let out a delighted squeal. "I'm flying!" she said, raising her arms up over her head.

Ethan laughed along with her, surprised to find himself enjoying this. He knew that it probably had more to do with the person he was doing this with than the actual event itself.

She closed her eyes and enjoyed the cold wind on her cheeks as he spun her faster and faster. "Careful!" she cried, laughing as he started to lose balance.

It was too late and Ethan tumbled onto the cold, wet snow bringing Maddie down with him.

"Sorry," he said laughing.

Maddie was giggling but she grabbed a handful of snow and tossed it at him.

"You are going to pay for that," Ethan said, but Maddie had him pinned down.

"Oh really?" she asked, her eyes twinkling.

"Yeah," Ethan said. "As soon as I'm able to get up, you're going to get it."

"What if I don't let you up?" Maddie asked, not realising that she was flirting.

"Well, I might have to just kiss you again," he said grinning up at her.

Her heart pounded in her chest at his words. "Maybe I'll let you," she replied breathlessly.

"I would if I could move my arms," Ethan said.

Maddie pushed herself off him and sat back, not noticing the cold wet snow seeping through her jeans.

“Maddie,” Ethan whispered, stroking her cheek. “Was that really the first time you were kissed?” he asked, talking about that morning.

“Yes,” she said softly, trying to look down but his hand moved to her chin, holding her gaze.

“It’s nothing to be ashamed about,” Ethan said, moving closer. “We all have to have a first kiss sometime.”

“I know,” Maddie whispered back. “I'm glad it was you Ethan. I dreamed of that moment for a long time.”

He grinned in relief, leaning in and touching his lips to hers.

When they pulled apart a few moments later, Ethan smiled at her. "I was so stupid not to notice you before, Maddie."

She smiled and raised a trembling hand to brush a stray hair out of her eye. "Better late than never right?" she asked shakily.

"Right," he said resting his forehead on hers. "I know this is rotten timing, and you'll be going back to school and I'm going back to training, but...I want to write to you and maybe try and visit you on Hogsmeade weekends. And I'm...I'm rushing things again, aren't I?"

"No..." Maddie said, putting her arms around his neck. "But I can't help but be a little scared that this is rebound for you."

"Maybe we should give it some time then," Ethan said though it was the last thing he wanted to do. "I don't want to hurt you, Maddie."

"I don't think you would," Maddie said. "And I can't deny that I'm enjoying this. I am. I like kissing you Ethan."

"I like kissing you too, Maddie," Ethan agreed. "And spending time with you."

"Maybe..." she said. "Maybe let's see how this week goes. And we can talk right before I go back to school and see where we stand?"

"That sounds like a good plan," he said, getting to his feet. "Mind if we take this back inside? It's bloody freezing, Maddie..."

She looked down at their jeans and laughed. "It is a bit cold isn't it?"

"Yes well falling in the snow didn't really help," Ethan said offering her his hand to help her up.

She smiled as he helped her up then put an arm around her shoulders as they walked back through the woods. "Let's make some tea or something to warm back up," Maddie leaned against him.

"Good evening," Ron said as his daughter and Ethan walked back into the house. He'd been grabbing a midnight snack.

"Daddy!" Maddie said in surprise.

"Would you two like some of these biscuits?" Ron asked. "Chocolate chip, Maddie."

"Sure," Maddie said. "I never pass up a chocolate chip anything."

Ethan went to the cupboard. "I'll make us some tea," he replied.

"Why are your jeans all wet?" Ron asked as Ethan walked past him.

"I, uh...well...we...I," Ethan stammered.

"Easy," Ron said laughing. "Dancing in the snow again, Maddie?"

"Yes," Maddie nodded. "He's never done it before."

"Which explains the wet jeans," Ron said. "I thought Harry Potter's son wouldn't be so clumsy."

"It was only because he was twirling..," Maddie said, but when Ethan looked at her, she giggled. "Excuse me, spinning me around."

"I see," Ron leaned back and stuffed a few more biscuits in his mouth.

"Do you want some tea, Uncle Ron?" Ethan asked.

"That sounds good Ethan thanks," Ron agreed.

"Thank you for not going all 'protective father' on me," Maddie whispered to her father.

"I trust you," Ron whispered back. "And I trust him, too. But if he hurts you, you just say the word and he's toast."

"I don't think he will Daddy," Maddie replied quietly. "We're taking things slow."

"That's my girl," Ron said patting her hand.

"Here we go," Ethan brought three mugs of tea to the table and snatched a biscuit from Maddie's hand. "Thanks." he grinned at her.

"I don't remember giving it to you," Maddie said giggling. "But you're welcome just the same."

"They're really good," Ethan said. "Nana and Greta make the best biscuits in the world."

"You should try the chocolate chip biscuits Maddie makes," Ron said smiling proudly at his daughter.

"All this and she cooks too?" Ethan asked.

"I bake," Maddie explained.

"She's just being modest," Ron explained.

A slight pink blush rose in her cheeks. "If you want I'll have to make you some biscuits sometime," Maddie offered. "If my dad doesn't eat them all first."

"I'd like that," Ethan said grinning at her. "They've got to be loads better than those mud pies you used to make."

"I'm not the one that ate them," Maddie retorted playfully. Both she and Ethan looked at Ron.

"They weren't that bad," Ron said sheepishly.

"Daddy that's gross. They were mud," Maddie giggled.

"But you made them and you asked me to have a bite," Ron said. "And I didn't want to hurt your feelings."

Maddie was taking a sip of her tea as her father said that and her giggles got worse. She coughed and Ethan patted her back.

"Alright Mads?" Ethan asked.

"I think so," she wheezed.

"I better get back upstairs," Ron said a few moments later after the three of them had finished their biscuits and tea.

"Good night, Daddy," Maddie said kissing his cheek. "And thanks."

Ron pinched her cheek as he left the kitchen.

Maddie sat back down at the table. "I don't feel like going to bed yet," she said.

"What do you want to do then?"

"I don't know," she replied. "Go back outside and spin?" she asked mischievously.

"How about we just dance in here?" Ethan asked standing up. "May I have this dance?"

She stared at him a moment. "Okay," Maddie answered, feeling shy for once in her life.

Ethan walked over to the wireless and found some soft music. He kept the volume low so they wouldn't wake anyone.

They moved in a slow circle around the kitchen, his forehead resting on hers. "You really are a good dancer," she whispered.

"So are you," he said softly.

"All four of our parents are dancers," she said, feeling a bit self conscious. "So I guess it's natural that we'd both be good."

"I suppose so," Ethan said. He noticed that she seemed a bit nervous and he pulled back to look at her properly. "What's wrong?"

"I don't know," she answered quietly. "No one's ever paid attention to me like this before."

"I find that hard to believe," he said. "You're smart. You're funny. You have a big heart and you're beautiful."

"Flatterer," she said, looking down at the floor.

"You don't believe me?" he asked her, tilting her chin up.

"You wouldn't lie to me," she said, half answering his question.

"Maddie," Ethan said softly. "If no one else can see those things, they're crazy."

"Crazy for Completely Mad Maddie," she joked.

Ethan dipped her low and then brought her back up. "I happen to be crazy for Completely Mad Maddie."

Her heart began pounding as he leaned in and they kissed again. Maddie pushed her fingers into his messy hair as she had the first truly passionate kiss of her life.

"Maddie," Ethan said breathlessly when they pulled apart.

"What?" she asked, her blue eyes focused dazedly on his brown ones.

"I forgot to mention that you were a good kisser," he said his eyes twinkling.

"That was my... third kiss," Maddie answered.

"Fourth," Ethan corrected her. "You do remember kissing me when we were kids don't you? And look at this? I'm not running away from you..."

"I kissed you when we were kids?" she asked. "Are you sure?"

"I think so," Ethan said. "Julie and Nick's wedding. It was only on the cheek though."

Maddie laughed. "That's right. And you ran away and hid behind your dad the rest of the day."

"You were quite the bold little seven-year old," Ethan said laughing.

She giggled. "Yes I was," she answered. "Turned into the semi bold seventeen almost eighteen year old."

"Semi bold?" Ethan asked. "So I guess you've mellowed some as you've gotten older?"

"Only a little," Maddie said. "I'm not shy but I don't force myself upon people like I used to. I do my own thing."

Ethan nodded. "I like that, Maddie."

"I like you Ethan," Maddie answered.

He touched her cheek. "As much as I don't want to, we should probably get to bed. Separately, of course."

"Of course," she answered softly. He turned off the wireless and they put their dishes back in the cupboard.

They purposely took their time going upstairs and Ethan walked her down the hall toward her bedroom. "So I'll see you tomorrow morning?" he asked.

She giggled. "I should think so."

"Just making sure," Ethan said kissing her one last time.

"Good night, Mads."

"Good night Ethan," she answered softly.

25. Chapter 25

A/N: Please forgive us for the rather nasty cliffie we’re leaving you with- this is a more sombre chapter than the past few ones. As always please let us know what you think after reading!

Maddie was glad she got to have lunch with her sister in law- she and Allison had always gotten on well. "Thanks for coming with me," she said. "I've no idea what I should wear tonight."

Allison smiled. "My motives weren't entirely unselfish, Maddie. I needed to get out of the house. I was starting to get cabin fever."

Maddie nodded sympathetically. "I'm sure my brother is making you mad."

"He means well, but he won't let me get up to do anything," Allison said. "And with him going back to work today, I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to make my escape."

Maddie laughed. "Sneaky Allison."

"If he asks, you and I sat at home watching movies all day, okay?" Allison told her with a laugh.

"He won't hear a word from me," Maddie promised.

"We should probably head over to the shops," Allison said. "I still can't believe...you and Ethan. And such a romantic first date? New Years Eve...it doesn't get any better than that!"

Maddie laughed. "I can hardly believe it myself. I want to take a time turner and go back to when I was four years old just to gloat."

"He finally wised up," Allison said linking arms with Maddie as they walked out of the restaurant. "Took him long enough, didn't it?"

"I suppose," Maddie still wore a smile. "But we're taking it slow."

"That's good," Allison said. "So do you have any idea where he's talking you?"

"I think we're just planning on staying at his place," Maddie said, holding the door open for her. "Just something nice and quiet."

"That sounds nice," Allison said waddling inside. She felt a sharp pain in her abdomen, but thought it must have been something she ate. "Ohhh..."

"What?" Maddie spun around. "What is it Allie?"

"Nothing," Allison said patting her stomach. "I don't think the baby liked the vegetable soup I just had. I'm fine, really."

"Are you sure?" Maddie was concerned. "Maybe we should go to the hospital..."

"I'm fine," Allison said reassuringly. "Besides, I'm not due for another three weeks."

"Okay," Maddie wasn't convinced. "If you feel any worse..."

"Believe me, you'll know," Allison said. "Come on. We didn't come here to worry about me. We're here to get you a nice outfit for your date, right?"

"Right," Maddie smiled. "But nothing too fancy. It's just us."

"Right," Allison said slowly making her way over to a rack of clothes. "I can't wait until I'm able to fit back into clothes like this."

Maddie laughed. "It won't be long Allie."

Allison started to laugh too, but felt another sharp pain in her abdomen. "Maddie..."

"Is it starting again?" Maddie tossed the shirt she'd been looking at back onto the rack.

Allison nodded and a panic-stricken expression came over her face. "Something's wrong, Maddie..."

Maddie's face turned white. "Come on," she said, taking her sister in law's arm. "Let's go."

Allison winced as she and Maddie walked as hurriedly as possible out of the shop and down the sidewalk.

"Jon's out on a flying lesson in Glasgow," Allison said, trying to keep calm. "We'll never be able to reach him."

"The important thing here is to get you to the hospital," Maddie said, also trying to keep her cool. "I'll take care of finding Jon once we have you to St. Mungos."

"Okay," Allison said nodding. "You're right. We need to get to the hospital."

Maddie guided her as best she could through The Leaky Cauldron without drawing attention to them. "Here we are," she said, biting her lower lip.

"Owww," Allison said clutching her stomach and trying not to double over in pain.

"It's only a few more steps Allie," Maddie said encouragingly.

"Right," Allison said allowing Maddie to lead her along. When they finally reached St. Mungos, Allison let out a sigh of relief.

"Excuse me," Maddie said. "My sister in law needs help!"

"What seems to be the problem?" a nurse asked.

"I'm having really sharp pains," Allison replied squeezing Maddie's hand. "They started about twenty minutes ago. I'm not due for another three weeks."

The nurse waved her wand and a stretcher floated in front of them. "Okay Allie," Maddie helped her onto it. "There we go."

"You'll need to wait out here while a mediwizard examines her," the nurse explained to Maddie.

"All right," Maddie agreed. "I have to owl my brother to let him know. Can you tell me where your Owlery is?"

"Fifth floor," the nurse replied. "It's right past the hospital gift shop."

"Thank you," Maddie replied. "I'll be back in just a little while Allie I promise."

Allison nodded and tried to stay calm as she watched Maddie walk away. She just hoped Maddie would be able to find Jon in time.

Several minutes later, Maddie had sent owls to Jon, Cho and Neville, and her parents who she was sure would be arriving anytime. She hoped Jon would be there as soon as possible which seemed unlikely with him being all the way up in Glasgow that day.

Lizzy Mitchell had just finished up her rounds when she'd seen Maddie nearly run past her.

"Maddie?" Lizzy called after her.

"Lizzy!" Maddie cried in relief at her other sister in law. "Oh you have to come with me! I think Allie might be in labour!"

Lizzy tried to calm Maddie down just enough so she could explain just exactly what on earth was going on. Maddie was finally able to give her the details.

"It's going to be okay, Maddie," Lizzy said quietly. "It's lucky you were with her."

"It is?" Maddie asked as they nearly ran over to where Allison was being examined.

Lizzy nodded. "I'm sure you were a big help."

"Lizzy," Allison said trying to smile at her. "I didn't know you were working today."

"I just finished my rounds but it looks like I might have another," Lizzy teased her friend.

"I just hope everything's okay," Allison said patting her stomach. "They won't tell me anything. Some old wizard just came over here and waved his wand over my abdomen and said he thought they might have to induce labour. He scared me half to death and then walked away..."

Lizzy put a reassuring arm on her shoulder. "They might be false contractions but we'll have to wait and see what they say."

Allison nodded and looked over at Maddie, who was still white as a sheet. "Thanks, Maddie. For getting me here."

"No problem," Maddie said. "Is there anywhere I can sit down? I feel a little bit faint right now."

"There's a waiting room just down the hall," Lizzy said. "I can stay with Allison if you want to get your bearings, Maddie."

"Okay," Maddie said. "I'll... be right back."

Maddie sat in the waiting room for what seemed like an eternity. No one came to tell her about Allison's condition and she just wished someone would come out to reassure her that everything was okay. To her great relief and surprise, Neville, Harry and Ethan came into the waiting room.

"Maddie?" Neville asked. "Where's Allison? We came as soon as we got your owl...."

"She's in the room down there," Maddie said. The sudden realisation of what happened to Allison hit her and tears came to her eyes.

Neville nodded and quickly went toward Allison's room with Harry in tow. Ethan sat down beside her.

"I was with Allie's dad when we received your owl," Ethan said. "He was teaching my training session today. I..."

"It was really scary." Maddie said in a small voice.

Ethan put his arm around her and pulled her close. "It's going to be okay, Maddie. I promise."

"I hope so," she said. "She was in so much pain Ethan."

"But you got her here so quickly," Ethan said reassuringly.

"I don't know how I did it," Maddie leaned her head on his shoulder. “Luckily we were so close to The Leaky Cauldron. I didn’t want to have to flag down the Knight Bus on a street full of Muggles.”

Ethan could tell she was still shaken up by what had happened and he was glad he'd decided to tag along when they'd received Maddie's owl.

"I'm sure Lizzy's taking good care of her," Ethan said softly running his hand up and down her arm.

"I know but it was just so scary. I mean, it's my brother's baby and what if there was something wrong with it?" Maddie asked.

"I'm sure that your little niece or nephew to be is going to be just fine," Ethan said hoping he was right. "And someday he or she will tell everyone all about how their Aunt Maddie saved the day."

That finally got a smile out of her, albeit a small one.

"Where's Caroline?" Ethan asked.

"She's with Nana," Maddie answered. "Jon's up in Glasgow for the day and since Allie went shopping with me Nana offered to watch her."

"I hope he can get here in time," Ethan said. "I'm sure he wouldn't want to miss this."

"Especially if..." the words got stuck in Maddie's throat.

"Don't say it," Ethan said hugging her again. "Everything's going to be okay."

Maddie buried her face in his shoulder. "I'm so glad you're here."

Ethan just held her not sure of what to do or say and he said a silent prayer that everything would turn out okay.

A few minutes later, Cho and Chiaki came rushing into the waiting room.

"Maddie?" Cho asked looking out of breath. "I came as soon as I received your owl. Where's Allie?"

"She's in that room over there," Maddie pointed. "No one's come out to tell me what's going on yet but Uncle Neville and Uncle Harry went in there."

"Go ahead, Mum," Chiaki said giving Cho a hug. "I'll wait out here. If you see her, tell her I'm here."

"All right sweetheart," Cho said, hurrying away.

Allison was trying to stay calm as Lizzy looked over her charts with the nurse. It helped having her father by her side, but she really wanted Jon. She kept telling herself that he'd be here soon. When the door to her room opened, she was expecting to see her husband. When she saw it was her mother, she tried to not show her disappointment.

"Hi Mum," she said weakly.

"Allie," Cho rushed to her bedside. "I came as soon as I could sweetheart."

"I'm really glad you're...," Allison began, her voice trailing off as another sharp pain hit her.

Cho looked frantically to her husband for help as she grabbed her daughter's hand. "Allie it's okay, everything will be okay..." she tried to be soothing.

"It really hurts, Mum," Allison said as tears welled up in her eyes.

"I know sweetheart," Cho kissed her daughter's forehead. "You squeeze my hand as hard as you need to."

"I will," Allison said wincing.

"Maddie said she owled Jon," Neville was wiping his daughter's forehead with a damp cold cloth. "I'm sure he'll be here as soon as possible."

Allison nodded. "Do you really think so, Daddy?"

"Of course," Neville forced a smile at her. "He wouldn't miss this for the world."

"I should have stayed home today," Allison said. "I was just so tired of being cooped up, Mum. I just wanted to go out to lunch..."

"It's a good thing you weren't at home," Lizzy joined them. "Al- you'd be in far worse shape if Maddie hadn't brought you here so quickly."

"She was really great," Allison said nodding. "She tried to keep me calm. I can't thank her enough for getting me here."

Lizzy smiled at her. "I think soon we'll be able to move you up to a maternity room so that you'll have your own private waiting room. That way everyone can wait right outside and not all the way down the corridor."

"That's good to hear," Neville said. He looked back at Allison. "I can still remember how nervous that husband of yours was when you were having Caroline? Do you remember how he passed out right as you gave birth?"

Lizzy laughed. "Yeah, Al? Do you remember how they asked if he wanted to cut the cord and he turned all green?"

Allison smiled. "Who could forget that?"

As Neville and Cho did whatever they could to keep Allison's mind off of the pain, Harry took Lizzy aside.

"Any idea what's the matter?" Harry asked her.

"We don't know yet," Lizzy replied. "We should once she gets to the proper ward."

"She will be okay though right?" Harry asked. He was the godfather for all three of Cho and Neville's daughters and he loved them like they were his own.

"She should be," Lizzy replied, looking at her friend.

Over the next couple of hours, Allison's pains became progressively worse. Jon was still nowhere to be found. Thankfully, she had been moved up to the maternity ward where Lizzy kept a close watch on her.

The waiting room was nearly full with Weasleys, Potters, and Longbottoms. Everyone was trying to keep a brave face mostly due to the four-year old girl sitting in Ron's lap.

"Should I owl him again you think?" Maddie whispered to Ethan, whom she had stayed close to the whole night so far.

Ethan shook his head. "Josh went out to find him, Mads. I'm sure he's going to be here any second."

"Okay," Maddie tried to relax but she couldn't.

Caroline slid off of Ron's lap and reached into her toy bag and pulled out her crayons and colouring book.

"Are you making a picture for Mummy?" Ron asked.

Caroline nodded. "It's a picture of her and the new baby," she replied.

"I'm sure she's going to love that," Ron said smiling down at her.

"I hope so," Caroline said. "Do you think Daddy's here yet?"

"Not yet sweetheart," Ron said reaching down and playfully pulling at one of her brown plaits. "But I'm sure he's going to be here soon."

"Okay Grandpa," Caroline said. "Want to help me colour?"

"Sure," Ron said getting down on the carpet beside his granddaughter. "I even promise to stay in the lines."

"That's good Grandpa," Caroline giggled. "Daddy doesn't always stay in the lines."

"He never did," Ron said with a laugh. "He used to tell me all the time how he liked to think outside the box."

Josh came back into the waiting room, his twin brother in tow. "Finally found him!" he said.

"Daddy!" Caroline said dropping her crayons and getting to her feet. She practically launched herself at her father. "Mummy's having the baby, Daddy!"

"Hi sweetheart," Jon hugged his daughter and looked at everyone else in the room.

Ron looked gravely at his son wanting to say more, but not daring to talk about how bad things were in front of Caroline.

"I'm going in there." Jon kissed his daughter's forehead. "You stay out here while I go visit Mummy all right?"

"I want to see Mummy too!" Caroline said. "Please?"

"Maybe in just a bit," Jon looked to his brother for help. "For now, let me go in by myself to see Mummy."

Josh walked over and took Caroline from his brother. "Hey?" Josh asked. "How about I take you down to the cafeteria and we get one of those big blueberry muffins? I know they're not as big as Nana's, but..."

"Okay Uncle Josh." Caroline agreed.

"I remember when Saffy was born and I got one of those for Mum," Ethan replied. "It was bigger than my fist."

"I remember how I wanted to stay and keep you company," Maddie said. "I even turned my dad down when he wanted me to go down to the cafeteria with him. It was one of the few times you actually sat down with me."

"He actually made Mum and Dad promise not to name the baby, Maddie," Julie teased.

"You what?" Maddie looked at Ethan, who turned red.

"I was eight at the time," Ethan said sheepishly. "I thought all girls had cooties."

"Except for Kiki," Julie teased.

"Sod off," Ethan replied, turning even more red.

Jon went into the maternity room and saw Allison on the bed. "Hey gorgeous," he said, forcing a smile onto his face.

Allison let out a weak laugh. "You're such a liar."

"I am not," he brushed back her hair and kissed her forehead. "I'm so sorry I wasn't here Al."

"It's okay," Allison said weakly. "You're here now."

"And I won't leave until you feel better," Jon said, giving her a kiss on the lips.

"That's good to hear," Allison said. "Just don't pass out on me this time, okay?"

"You'll never let me forget that will you?" Jon teased gently.

"I don't think so," Allison said grinning at him. "I plan on holding that over your head for at least another forty years or so..."

Jon was glad to see that whatever pain she seemed to be in had dissipated, for the moment anyway. "Caroline wants to come in and see you." he said.

"I want to see her too," Allison said tearing up as she thought of her little girl.

"Everyone's a bit worried about you," Jon stroked her hair back.

Allison nodded. "I'm a little worried about me too. I just wish someone would say what was going on. Lizzy said something earlier about how they might have to induce labour. She's a little worried that my waters haven't broken."

"When did this start?" Jon asked.

Allison looked sheepishly at him. "Now don't get angry. I know I said I was going to take it easy, but I was about to lose it at the house, Jon. Maddie invited me to lunch and to help her pick out..."

"You were out?" Jon's eyebrows knit together.

"Yes," Allison said biting her lip. "But I was going stir crazy, Jon. And I wasn't due for another three weeks..."

"But Al..." Jon said and sighed, realising he couldn't get angry. "I suppose I was making you a bit mad wasn't I?"

"A little," she said relieved that he wasn't angry. "I just wanted to get out for a couple of hours."

"It's okay Al. I'm just glad Maddie was with you." Jon reassured her

"Me too," Allison said. They both looked up when Lizzy walked back into the room. The look on her face didn't bode well.

"Hi," Lizzy said quietly.

"Hi Lizzy," Jon said. "What um... have you found out?"

Lizzy folded her arms. "Allison has a condition called pre-eclampsia. It's causing her blood vessels to constrict and her blood pressure is very high. It's also affecting the blood flow to the baby. I think we're going to need to induce labour..."

"So we'll be having the baby tonight instead of three weeks from now?" Jon asked, holding his wife's hand. "Is the baby... will the baby be okay?"

Lizzy didn't know how to tell them this. Not only was Allison a patient, she was also Lizzy's best friend. This wasn't easy to say, but she and Jon needed to know the risks.

"If we don't induce now, I'm afraid both Allie and the baby could be at risk," Lizzy replied quietly.

"Then induce me," Allison said immediately. "Do anything you have to do."

Lizzy nodded. "The nurse will come in shortly to prep you. Jon, I assume you'd like to stay?"

"Of course," Jon replied. "I'll go and uh... tell our parents what’s going on okay? And then I'll be right back."

"Can I see Caroline?" Allison asked. She could hardly bring herself to say this. "In case something..."

"She went with Josh to go get a muffin but they should be back by now," Jon interrupted, not wanting to hear those words.

"Bring her back with you," Allison said softly. "I want to see her, Jon."

"I will," Jon promised.

When Jon walked back out into the waiting room, everyone stopped talking. Caroline ran toward him again.

"Daddy!" she said giggling. "You should have seen the muffins! They were so big! Uncle Josh bet me a galleon that I wouldn't be able to eat it all, but I did!"

"That's my girl," Jon said with a strained smile. "Ready to go see your Mum now?" he asked.

Caroline nodded. "Let me just go and get my picture I made for her."

"Okay," Jon replied. "Lizzy... can you fill everyone in? I'd like to be with my wife and daughter right now."

"Of course," Lizzy said putting a hand on his shoulder.

Caroline clutched her picture in one hand and walked over to her father. She noticed for the first time that he didn't look happy. "Why are you so sad, Daddy?"

"Don't you worry about it angel," Jon said. "Come on, Mummy can't wait to see you."

Allison wiped the tears from her eyes as she heard the door open and Caroline bounded into the room.

"Hey angel girl," Allison said forcing a smile. "Look at how pretty you look!"

"Mummy!" Caroline chirped excitedly. "Look what I made you!"

"You made this for me?" Allison asked. "Why don't you sit up here with me and tell me all about this picture?"

"Okay Mummy," Caroline pulled herself up with her father's help. "Me and Grandpa Ron coloured it together. He said Daddy doesn't like to stay in the lines. He said he's out of the box!"

Allison laughed. "He sure is."

She looked over at her husband who was watching her and Caroline with tears in his eyes.

He reached out and took her hand and she squeezed it. "It'll be okay," she mouthed.

Jon nodded and he tried to put on a brave face for his wife and daughter, but he was scared.

It had been a few hours since they had induced Allison's labour. Ron and Luna had taken Caroline back home with them to get some sleep and Maddie, Ethan, Cho, Neville, Chiaki and Frankie were the only ones awake.

"How much longer do you think it'll be?" Frankie was pacing.

"I don't know," Neville said quietly.

Frankie's lower lip was trembling "What if--" she began.

"Don't say it," Cho snapped harshly and her eyes filled with tears. "Oh Frankie sweetheart I'm sorry."

"It's okay," Frankie said. "We're all on edge, Mum."

Maddie was twisting her hands around. "Guess this isn't quite the first date we expected aye?" she asked softly.

"No," Ethan said shaking his head. "But I'm sure neither of us expected to spend New Years in the maternity ward, did we?"

"Definitely not," Maddie said, her tone quiet and tired. "I wish someone would come out and bloody tell us what's going on here."

Ethan looked at her. She'd been so quiet all afternoon. She'd even refused to go downstairs when most everyone else went to grab some dinner.

He stood up. "Come on."

"What?" she asked.

"Let's go and get you something to eat," Ethan said offering her his hand. "Come on, Maddie. I'm not taking no for an answer."

"But what if something happens?" Maddie asked feebly.

"You heard Lizzy earlier," Ethan said. "It'll be hours before we know anything. And besides, if anything happens, I'm sure Kiki would come and get us, right?"

"I suppose you're right," Maddie agreed softly.

Ethan smiled and took her hand as they made their way to the cafeteria.

"Not exactly a five-star restaurant, but I read in Witch Weekly that hospital cafeterias are quite the romantic place," Ethan said grinning sideways at her.

She giggled a bit. "I already know how much you love their muffins."

Ethan said. "Just you wait until you try their Meat Surprise..."

"Gross," Maddie made a face. "I'd rather drink that Firewhisky you love so much."

"You don't know what you're missing," Ethan teased.

"I'll just take your word for it," Maddie replied.

As they walked into the near empty cafeteria, Ethan looked at her. "How about you grab us a table and I'll get us something to eat? I promise I won't get you the Meat Surprise."

"You promise?" Maddie smiled at him.

"Aurora’s honour," Ethan said. "You go find us a table, okay?"

"All right," Maddie chose one near the high windows that looked out over Diagon Alley.

A few minutes later, Ethan joined her and two trays laden with food levitated behind him.

"I didn't really know what you were in the mood for," he said as he guided the trays to the table. "So I took one of everything...but sadly, no Meat Surprise."

"I'm crushed," Maddie shook her head. "Ethan you didn't have to do this."

"I have to impress you," Ethan said modestly. "This is our first date after all."

"You don't have to impress me," she took a roll and nibbled on it. "You did a long time ago."

"I was just playing hard to get when we were kids," Ethan joked.

That made her laugh. "You certainly did a good job of it."

"I'm the son of two over-achievers," Ethan said winking at her.

Maddie smiled and continued to nibble at her roll. It suddenly hit her how hungry she was and she reached for a turkey sandwich, taking a huge bite.

"I always like it when girls eat on a date," Ethan said smiling at her.

"I haven't eaten anything since lunch," she replied, gulping down the pumpkin juice before returning to her sandwich.

"Me either," Ethan said helping himself to some chips.

"That was really good," Maddie said. She spied a bag of crisps on the other tray and dug into it.

"You are definitely Ron Weasley's daughter," Ethan said laughing.

Maddie smiled. "And proud of it."

"I guess I could tell you what I had planned for tonight," Ethan said. "Seeing as we aren't going to get to do any of it..."

"Sure," Maddie said. "Maybe we could do it another time then..."

Ethan smiled. "You'll be leaving for school in a couple of days though..."

"I know but..." Maddie blushed. "Now I'm the one who sounds like I'm rushing things. You've never even come out and said you were my boyfriend or anything."

He reached across the table for her hand. "I don't know what you and I are really, Maddie. I know we're more than friends."

"I should think so," she replied with a small smile.

"But we have all the time in the world to figure it out," Ethan said softly.

"We do?" Maddie asked shyly.

"Yes," Ethan replied. "Unless you go back to school and fall head over heels for some Ravenclaw.”

"Please," she scoffed.

"Slytherin?"

"Well I always have liked green and silver," she joked.

Ethan clutched his heart and leaned over the table. "You're killing me, Madeline. I could have taken anything, but a Slytherin."

"You mean you're not as tough as I always thought you were?" Maddie shook her head.

"It's mostly an act," Ethan admitted.

"Well don't you worry Ethan Potter," Maddie said. "I've always preferred Gryffindor boys over all others."

"You have excellent taste," Ethan said puffing out his chest. "We are the best in everything. I doubt a Slytherin would take you out to such a fine establishment as this. No, he'd probably take you to the snootiest, poshest place in London."

"Right well, those snooty, posh places don't rank very high with me," Maddie said. "I like a place where I can twirl- excuse me, SPIN around in the snow or rain for hours and I don't have to get dressed in anything special."

"So I guess my pizza and a movie plan for tonight would have been okay with you?" he asked her.

She grinned. "More than okay Ethan."

"Okay," Ethan said thoughtfully. "If you come home for Easter break, that's what you'll get."

"What about Hogsmeade weekends?" Maddie ventured. "Will you come out for one of those? I think the next one is near the end of February."

"My training schedule is pretty full, but I'll try to make it," Ethan said squeezing her hand.

"I'll owl you with the date when I go back." she replied.

"Speaking of going back," Ethan said. "We should probably get back upstairs. But, you and I have a date at midnight, Miss Maddie. I have a little surprise for you..."

"You do?" she asked.

"Yes I do," Ethan said. "But you're not getting anything out of me. It's a surprise."

"Not even a tiny hint?"

Ethan considered this as they loaded their trash onto the trays. "Okay, I guess I could give you one teeny, tiny hint. You'll find out at midnight. How's that?"

"Ethan!" she cried, laughing.

"You will," Ethan said, leaning in for a kiss.

She kept his mouth to hers for a moment before pulling apart. "Okay I can be patient," she said. "As long as you promise to kiss me in addition to this surprise at midnight."

"I might," Ethan said mischievously. "Or I might not. You never know with me, Madeline."

"You'd better kiss me," she crossed her arms.

"And if I don't?" he countered playfully.

"You don't want to know," Maddie leaned in.

"If I kiss you now, won't it spoil the surprise for later?" Ethan asked.

"No," she whispered. "Not at all."

"I was hoping you'd say that," Ethan said pulling her close and kissing her softly.

Maddie almost forgot why they were at the hospital in the first place as she wound her arms around his neck and kissed him back.

"You're getting really good at this," Ethan said smiling at her when they finally pulled apart.

"You told me Christmas night that I was already good," Maddie teased gently, still in his arms.

"I thought it needed to be said again," Ethan whispered. "We, um, should really get back."

"Right," she said, initiating one last peck on the lips.

Upstairs in the waiting room, Neville was pacing. Chiaki and Frankie were trying to comfort each other and Cho was sitting on one of the sofas feeling about as helpless as she'd ever felt in her life.

"Neville?" Cho asked looking at her husband. "Why don't you sit down, love?"

"I can't," Neville said. "Just... my baby girl is in there and we don't know what's going to happen to her."

"I'm sure Lizzy's doing everything she can," Cho said quietly. "Merlin, I keep seeing little Caroline. She had no idea how bad things were and my heart was just breaking when we said goodbye to her, Neville."

"I know," Neville finally sat down. "Damn it Cho... I can't do anything and it's killing me!"

"I feel the same way," Cho said. "But Jon's with her, Neville. And Lizzy. If anything goes...oh, please don't let anything go wrong!"

Neville hugged his wife and kissed the top of her head as she cried.

Frankie looked over at her parents. She'd never seen them like this.

"Chi?" she asked looking at her sister. "Allie's going to make it, right? She and the baby both?"

“She's a strong girl," Chiaki said. "Remember when Mum and Dad wouldn't let her and Jon see each other and they went and got married?"

Frankie nodded. "And they're still together after all this time."

"They even got Dad to join the Jon Weasley fan club," Chiaki joked softly. "I think they'll pull through this too."

Frankie smiled at her sister, but that smile quickly faded when she saw her brother-in-law come out of Allison's room. He was white as a sheet.

"What happened?" Frankie asked getting to her feet. She wasn't so sure she wanted to know.

"Al uh..." Jon's knees buckled and he sat down hard in a chair.

26. Chapter 26

Authors' note: We were both very happy with the response to the last chapter. The cliffie was evil, but necessary. We did manage to respond to reviews too so you can check out some of those responses for additional information. And as always, if you have any questions let us know and we'll try and clear those things up for you. We have a big number of characters to keep track of and it sometimes gets confusing for us too. Please read and review !

"She's not..." Chiaki asked the words catching in her throat.

Jon shook his head. "She um... they think she had an aneurysm while pushing the baby out..."

"No," Cho said reaching for Neville. "No...No...No!"

"She's in a coma," Jon said brokenly, his eyes too filled with tears to see anything.

Frankie started to sob and Chiaki hugged her tightly. Neither of them spoke.

"W-what about the baby?" Neville finally managed to ask.

"The baby's fine," Jon choked out. "We have another daughter."

"Allie's going to be okay," Frankie said pulling away from her sister. "She's going to be fine. I know she will."

Chiaki walked over to Jon and put a hand on his arm.

Jon barely responded as he buried his face in his hands.

Maddie and Ethan walked back into the waiting room, but neither of them were prepared for what greeted them.

"Jon?" Maddie asked weakly. "Allie's okay, right? She and the baby, right?"

Jon shook his head but he couldn't talk over the lump in his throat.

"Allie had an aneurysm during labour," Chiaki said quietly. "She's...she's in a coma."

Maddie slapped her hands over her mouth in horror. "No," she shook her head as Ethan put his hands on her arms to keep her steady. "No Jon, not Allie! Not your baby!"

"The baby's okay," Jon said tears still shining in his eyes. "I…I didn't want to hold her, Maddie. I couldn't...not with Allie not there..."

Maddie rushed to her brother's side. "Jon," she sobbed. "This isn't fair!"

Harry awoke with a start; Hermione who had been lying with her head in his lap woke up too. "What happened?" he asked groggily, growing more alert as he put his glasses on.

Chiaki took it upon herself to break the news to Harry and Hermione as her parents were nearly inconsolable.

Hermione's eyes filled with tears as Harry's jaw worked up and down, no words coming out.

"I need to be by her side," Jon stood up abruptly.

"I want to see her too," Cho said coming forward. "She needs me."

Jon nodded numbly. "They said only... two or three visitors at once."

"Daddy," Chiaki said. "You and Mum go ahead with Jon. Frankie and I will wait out here."

Neville nodded, his face worn. Jon led the way into the room and Cho gasped at how pasty and wan her daughter looked.

Lizzy, who had been watching over her best friend, looked up when she saw Jon and Allie's parents enter the room. Lizzy hadn't known what to say to Jon earlier. She felt as if she'd let him and Allie down.

"Mr. and Mrs. Longbottom," Lizzy said wiping a tear from her cheek. "I'm..."

"It's okay Lizzy," Cho gave her daughter's best friend a hug. "We know."

Lizzy nodded. "The nurse should be bringing the baby back in a few minutes if you'd like to see your granddaughter."

"We would," Neville replied. "Thank you."

Jon took his wife's hand in his. "Please Al," he whispered. "Please wake up and come back to me and Caroline."

There was no response and although she felt as if she couldn't stand, she somehow managed to make it over to Allison's other side.

"Sweetheart," Cho said softly. "We're all here waiting for you. Come on, my sweet girl."

Jon pressed his lips to his wife's forehead as the nurse came back into the room with his new daughter. He felt horribly guilty at not paying attention to the baby but part of him couldn't bear to see her, not after what had happened to Allison.

Cho took the baby from the nurse and felt her heavy heart lighten somewhat at the beautiful, innocent baby in her arms who had no idea what was going on.

"She's beautiful," Neville said, looking at his granddaughter. "Have you... picked out a name yet?"

Jon shook his head. "We didn't know if the baby was going to be a boy or a girl so Allie said we should just wait until the baby arrived and we'd decide then. I-I don't want to name her without Al."

Neville nodded. "Understandable." he sat down next to his son in law. "Jon... I'm sure you already realise this, but you know Cho and I will do anything you need us to do to help you and Caroline through this especially if..." he couldn't bring himself to say the words.

Jon looked at the bedside table and saw the picture Caroline had given her mother only a few hours before. He had no idea how he was going to explain this to Caroline. He barely understood it himself.

Cho smiled down at the baby who lay sleeping, unaware of the chaos around her. "Jon... hold your daughter." she said. "It will help you feel better."

Jon looked up at his mother-in-law at first unsure of what to do. A voice somewhere in his head told him that he needed to be there for his daughters---both of them. He simply nodded and Cho gently handed the baby off to him.

He stared down at his child as tears came to his eyes. He kissed the infant's forehead. "I promise we'll get your mother back," he said softly.

"Allison Catherine," Neville said leaning over his daughter. "I know we've had some problems in the past, but I want you to know how proud I am of you. You're such a good mum to Caroline. And you should see your little girl over there. She needs you. We all need you."

Jon thought he saw a flicker behind her eyelids but he knew he was probably imagining things.

Midnight came and went but no one in Allison's room or the adjoining waiting area felt like celebrating.

"I can't even imagine what he must be going through," Harry said to Hermione. "If something like that happened to you..."

Hermione shook her head. "I really can't even imagine what it must be like..." she said.

"I just keep thinking that there must be something I can do to fix this," Harry said helplessly.

"Maddie went to floo her parents," Ethan said. "I wanted to go with her, but she said she wanted to do this by herself."

"What's Jon going to say to Caroline about all this?" Hermione wiped her eyes.

"How do you explain this to a four-year old?" Ethan asked.

Harry shook his head. "I don't even know."

Ethan looked up as Maddie came back into the room. "They'll be here soon..." she said, her eyes filling up with tears. "They have to um... wake up Caroline."

"How you holding up, Maddie?" Ethan asked.

She shook her head. "Not too good," she replied hoarsely.

Ethan took her hand and led her over to the sofa. He didn't say anything as he held her and she cried.

A few minutes later, Ron and Luna came into the waiting room with Caroline. She was still in her pyjamas and her hair was still in messy plaits.

"Caroline," Ron said leaning down in front of her. "Will you be a big girl and stay out here with Grandma? I'm going to go and find your daddy, okay?"

"Okay Grandpa," Caroline looked confused. "Auntie Maddie how come you're crying?"

"I'm okay," Maddie said quickly wiping her tears. "I'm just sleepy."

"Uncle Ethan will you read to me?" Caroline asked. "Grandma told me to bring my book."

"Sure," Ethan said, pulling her over onto his lap.

Ron walked into Allison's room and nodded at Cho and Neville who were tending to the new baby. Jon was staring out the window watching as thousands of people crowded the streets below welcoming in the new year.

Ron put a hand on his son's shoulder. "Jonathan?"

He jumped. "Dad..." he said, his face crumpling.

Ron's own eyes welled up with tears as he hugged his son. "We came as soon as we heard."

"She's in a coma Dad," Jon said. "They don't know if or when she'll wake up."

Ron nodded. "We didn't say anything to Caroline. She was so excited all night. She kept saying how she wanted to come back so she could say hello to her little sister or baby brother."

"She has a sister," Jon said numbly.

"I can't imagine what you're going through," Ron said gently. "But you're not alone, Jon."

"Thanks," Jon replied, wiping at his eyes. He returned to his wife's bedside while Ron went to see his new granddaughter.

Jon looked at his wife feeling as if his heart was breaking all over again. He brushed a stray strand of hair from her forehead. She was the only girl he'd ever loved. She was the only girl he would ever love. And no matter what anyone told him, he wasn't going to let her go. It was too soon.

"You've got to help me out here, Al," Jon whispered. "I don't know what to do."

Her face remained unresponsive yet Jon thought again he could see a flicker behind her eyes. "What am I going to tell our baby girl Al?" he asked quietly. "Please, you've got to come out of this..."

"Someone needs to tell Caroline," Cho whispered to Neville. "She's so smart. She's going to know something's not right. I think it should be Luna or me...."

"No," Jon replied, looking up. "I've got to tell her."

"Jon," Cho started to protest, but Ron put a hand on her arm.

"He's right Cho," Ron said gently. "He needs to tell her."

"She's out there I take it?" Jon asked, summoning all his strength.

Ron nodded. "We're here if you need us."

"Thanks," Jon said gratefully. "Can I um... can I get her in here, privately?"

"Sure," Ron said. "I'll go get her."

"Come on, Cho," Neville said putting an arm around his wife.

Cho handed Jon his baby daughter and followed her husband out.

A few moments later Caroline came in. "Hey baby girl," Jon said.

"Hi Daddy," Caroline whispered. Her grandfather had told her to be very quiet before she came inside. "Is that my little sister?"

"Yes that's her," Jon said. "Want to come and hold her?"

Caroline nodded and sat down beside her father.

"Mummy let me practise with my baby dolls," she said enthusiastically. "So I know just how to do it."

"Good," Jon's heart nearly broke as Caroline happily took her baby into her arms. "Listen baby... the reason I had you come in here..."

"She's so soft Daddy," Caroline interjected. "And she smells so nice. Did I look like this when I was a baby?"

"Yes you did," Jon said. "Sweetheart... this is about your mum... she's uh... she's sleeping."

"She's probably really tired from having the baby," Caroline said making a goofy face at her little sister.

"Well it's a different sort of sleep," Jon said. "It's a sleep where she can't wake up."

Caroline looked up at him confused. "She doesn't sleep like you do, Daddy. You can sleep through anything. Mummy can always hear me when I'm tiptoeing out of my room."

"Well this sort of sleep is called a coma," Jon tried to explain. "The mediwizards think that Mummy pushed too hard and something happened in her head that made her fall asleep like this."

"You just haven't tried to wake her up right," Caroline said handing the baby back to Jon. Before he could stop her, Caroline crawled up beside her mother onto the bed. She gently shook her mother's arm.

"Come on, Mummy," Caroline said softly.

"Baby," Jon said. "She's not--"

"Mummy," Caroline whispered. "I'm going to go and sneak one of those biscuits..."

"Caroline," Jon spoke louder. "That's not how Mummy will wake up."

Caroline looked up confused and for the first time noticed how tired and sad her father looked.

"I'm going to stay with her until she wakes up then," she said simply, lying down beside her mother and putting her small arm over Allison's waist.

"Well that's the main thing baby," Jon's voice broke. "We're not sure if she... ever will wake up."

"I'm staying here until she does," Caroline said stubbornly.

Jon's head drooped. "We might have to leave for a little while when the mediwizards come in to check on her. But other than that, I'm sure we can stay with her."

"Okay," Caroline said. She looked up at her father. "Don't be sad, Daddy." She hated it when either of her parents were sad or upset. Whenever she was sad or upset, her mother would always sing to her to make her feel better.

"Hush little baby, don't you cry," Caroline began singing softly.

Jon's heart nearly broke as he sat down in the chair and held his baby daughter close.

*** *** ***

It was around four in the morning when Ethan arrived back at his flat. Maddie had surprised him by asking if she could come home with him and he'd agreed- not that he expected anything to happen, especially after the events of that night.

"It's small, but its home," he said sheepishly, holding the door for her.

“Its fine," Maddie said listlessly.

He locked the door behind him, making sure the wards went up. "Are you hungry again, or thirsty?" he asked, moving into the galley kitchen.

"I'd love a glass of water," Maddie said as she sat down.

"Sure," Ethan said, rummaging in his icebox for a bottle of cold water.

Maddie had never been here before and she chanced a quick glance around. The place was sparsely decorated and Maddie smiled as she noticed the Muggle television and video game system. She thought to herself how wild R.J. would go over that. R.J. was crazy about anything having to deal with Muggles much like their grandfather.

She forced a smile as Ethan handed her a glass.

"Thanks," she said softly. "And not just for this. I don't know how I would have gotten through tonight without you."

"I didn't do much," Ethan said modestly. "And you didn't get your surprise, but something tells me you don't care much about that- I don't blame you."

"I just want Allie to be okay," Maddie said. "I've never seen Jon like that before, Ethan. He loves her so much."

"I know," Ethan replied. "She's just got to wake up though."

Maddie nodded and leaned back in her chair. "I can't even imagine going back to school. My family needs me, Ethan."

"I'm sure they'll work something out," Ethan said. "I know Allie wouldn't want any of us moping about."

"No," Maddie said. "She wouldn't."

Ethan reached for her and gave her a hug. "For what it's worth I think she'll pull through."

"Really?" Maddie asked hopefully, hugging him back.

"Yeah," Ethan kissed the side of her head. "She and Jon have made it this far."

"I'm glad you think so," Ethan pulled back and brushed some loose strands of hair from her eyes.

Maddie looked shyly up at him. "I know you said you'd sleep on the sofa and let me take your bed, but I was...I wondering if you'd stay with me until I fell asleep?"

His eyebrows shot up in surprise but he nodded. "Sure," he replied. "Do you uh... need something to sleep in? You could wear one of my shirts if you need to."

She shook her head. "I'm okay in this really. I just want to try and get some sleep."

"Sure," he nodded. She put her glass in the sink and he led her down the hall towards his bedroom.

"You didn't make your bed," she said as he switched on the bedside lamp.

"I never do," he grinned. "Seems rather pointless don't you think?"

"I used to tell my parents that all the time," Maddie said managing a genuine smile. "You're just going to go back to sleep anyway..."

"That's exactly it," Ethan said, going into his closet to pull on an old t shirt and some pyjama trousers.

Maddie took off her shoes and lifted her jumper over her head. Ethan's flat was warm and cosy so she knew she'd be okay in just her jeans and white camisole tank top.

He stayed on top of his sheets, just covering himself from the waist down with his blanket while Maddie got under all the covers. "You sure you're warm enough?" he asked.

"I'm fine," Maddie said softly.

"Okay," Ethan said. "Bathroom is over there," he pointed. "And there's another one down the hall."

Maddie didn't know why she did what she did next, but she just needed someone to hold her and tell her that it would be okay, even if it was a lie. She snuggled up close to Ethan and rested her head on his chest.

"Is this okay?" she asked him as she closed her eyes.

He felt his heartbeat speed up at her closeness. "It's fine," he whispered.

"Good night, Ethan," Maddie said softly.

"Night Mads," he replied. Within moments, her breathing had become steady and he tried to slip out of her embrace but her arms tightened.

"Stay," she said sleepily.

"But Maddie--" he began.

"Please?" she asked. "I don't want to be alone."

"Okay," he replied, relaxing and pulling the covers up over them both.

It didn't take long for Maddie to drift off to sleep.

Ethan ran his hand through her hair, wishing that this had happened under different, happier circumstances.

*** *** ***

The next morning found no change in Allison's condition. Jon and Caroline stayed in Allison's room, both falling asleep sometime in the middle of the night. With some coaxing, Jon convinced Caroline to go home with Ron and Luna.

Lizzy had already come in and out of the room several times to check on Allison and on Jon. He looked terrible, but he refused to leave. Every couple of hours, he'd go and check on their new daughter in the nursery.

"Jon you need to go home and get some real rest," Lizzy said. "Allie wouldn't want you to be like this. You have to stay strong for Caroline and your new baby."

"I'm fine where I am," Jon said sitting back down in the uncomfortable chair. "I'm not leaving here until she wakes up."

Lizzy nodded. "At least eat something. If you don't want to go down to the cafeteria at least let me have something sent up."

Jon sighed. "Okay..."

"I promise no meat surprise." Lizzy said, hoping for a smile out of him.

Jon didn't crack a smile. Lizzy turned to leave, but Jon called out to her.

"Lizzy? Can I ask you something?"

"Sure Jon." she replied softly.

"Do you think she can hear us?" he asked. "When we talk to her? Do you think she can hear us?"

Lizzy bit her lower lip. "Personally, I like to think so. I've seen patients come out of comas that mediwizards have said they would never recover from. I think it's more than magic at work- I think it's the love and strength their family members give them. Allie's got a whole lot of people who love her."

"Yeah," Jon said finally giving her a smile. "She does."

"Be right back," Lizzy said, ducking out. She ran into Josh outside in Allie's waiting room. "I'm so glad to see you," she said rushing into his arms. She and Josh had not yet married, their relationship was strong though and she knew one day she'd walk down the aisle with him.

"Hey, sweetheart," Josh said hugging her tightly. "How's he holding up?"

"Okay," Lizzy buried her face in his chest. "I told him I'd go down and get him something to eat."

"Let's hope he eats it," Josh said. "How about you? How are you holding up?"

Lizzy shrugged. "All right. It helps if I think of her as a patient and not my best friend but... I can't seem to do it for more than a few moments."

"I know," Josh said softly, kissing her.

"Will you go in and keep him company while I run to the cafeteria?" she asked.

"Of course," Josh said, squeezing her hand. He watched as she walked away.

Jon looked up as his twin knocked on the door. "Hey," he said listlessly.

"Hi," Josh said looking sympathetically at his brother. "I brought you a change of clothes."

"Thanks mate," Jon said dully.

Josh racked his brain for something to say. He knew already not to tell his brother that he should get rest or that he should go home. He knew that wasn't what Jon needed or wanted to hear.

"Guess I'll go change," Jon got up. "You'll uh... you'll stay for a minute right?"

"Sure," Josh said. "Go on."

Jon changed quickly, not wanting to be away from his wife any longer than necessary. He tossed the dirty clothes into Allison's bag that she'd packed a week before Christmas.

When Jon came back into the room, he found Josh sitting next to Allison's bedside.

"You know what I was just thinking about?" Josh asked.

"What?" Jon asked, sitting back on the edge and reaching for Allison's hand.

Josh let out a slight laugh. "All the crazy stuff you used to do to get her attention. Of course, I thought you were doing it to piss me off, but it was your own bizarre way of impressing her..."

Jon shook his head as he smiled a bit. "The silly string was the best wasn't it?"

Josh laughed as he remembered that time. They'd all been studying for final exams. He and Allison had settled down at one of their favourite tables in the common room.

"I'm never going to remember all of these ingredients," Allison said looking down at her potions notes.

"You'll do fine," Josh encouraged. "Probably get the only passing grade out of all Gryffindor."

"I wish I had your confidence," Allison said spreading out her notes.

"You'll do fine," Josh repeated.

"From your lips to Snape's ears," Allison said.

There was a loud commotion as Jonathan Weasley and one of his mates came bustling down the stairs.

"It's just like him to skive off studying to joke around," Josh muttered.

Allison shook her head, wondering how Jon Weasley had made it this far in school without failing anything.

"Joshua!" Jon said, walking over and closing Josh's books.

"Go away, Jon," Josh hissed.

"This isn't your common room, is it?" Jon asked. He smiled shyly at Allison. "Hey, Allie."

"Hello Jonathan," she said absently, trying to go over her notes.

"Either of you fancy going flying?" Jon asked.

"Are you mad?" Josh asked him. "We have finals tomorrow morning."

"Already studied," Jon replied. "Allie?"

"No thanks," Allison said, not bothering looking up from her notes. "I really need to work on this..."

"You don't have to study," Jon said. "You're the smartest girl in Gryffindor."

"Thanks but I really need to study," Allison said, wishing he'd take a hint.

"Okay," Jon said frowning. "I guess I'll leave you to it then."

"Come on, Jon," Chris Creevey said. "Let's go get our brooms."

Josh looked at Allison. "Finally," he muttered.

"I didn't mean to be short with him," Allison said. "I just don't understand how he could want to go flying at a time like this."

"I don't understand anything that Jon does," Josh replied, opening his books again.

"He's not that bad," Allison said, but she spoke too soon.

"What the hell?" Josh asked as long lines of sticky string began to fly through the common room.

"Where's it coming from?" Allison asked looking around. Their fellow Gryffindors were all scrambling around trying to avoid the silly string which was quickly filling up the entire common room. "I can't see!"

"Jon!" Josh shouted, trying to pull the string out of his hair.

"What?" Jon asked innocently coming out from behind the bookshelves.

"What the hell did you do?" Josh tried to advance angrily but slipped and fell instead.

"Things were way too serious around here," Jon said laughing. "I was just trying to lighten the mood."

He looked at Allison hopefully. "You thought it was funny, didn't you Al?"

"Where are my notes?" Allison ignored the cold sticky string on her arms as she tried to dig through the piles. "And don't call me Al!"

Jon hadn't expected her to react this way. He quickly got down on his knees to help her.

"I'm sorry, Allison," he said. "I was just trying to get you to laugh. You looked really stressed."

"Where did they go?" she asked desperately, ignoring Jon. "I had everything on those notes!"

"Nice job, Jon," Josh said angrily.

"I'm sorry!" Jon said, "I really am- it was just a joke."

"A joke!" Allison said getting to her feet. "It's going to be really funny when I fail my potions final! Thanks a lot, Jon!"

"Where are you going?" Jon asked.

"To go and find Lizzy," Allison huffed. "To see if I can borrow HER notes."

"Allie..." Jon tried to follow her but he also slipped and fell. "Allie wait!"

"Who is responsible for this?" Professor McGonagall said coming through the portrait hole just as Allison left.

Everyone turned to look at Josh and Jon, who were sprawled out identically. "Wrong twin," Josh glared at Jon.

"Explain yourself," Professor McGonagall ordered, folding her arms and looking down at Jon.

"It was just a joke Professor," Jon said sheepishly. "Everyone was so tensed up for our final exams tomorrow..."

"How about you and I go see how funny the headmaster thinks it is," Professor McGonagall said. "Right after you clean this mess up...without magic."

"But professor!" Jon began to protest.

"You heard me, Weasley," Professor McGonagall said coolly. "I expect you to be finished within the hour."

"An hour?" Jon asked. He glanced at his twin desperately. "Josh..."

"I know you don't expect me to help you after what you just did," Josh said finally finding his books. "I'm going to study in the dorm."

"But..." Jon's shoulders slumped as he began to gather up the sticky mess with his hands.

"She wouldn't talk to you for days after that," Josh said laughing at his brother. "I've never seen her that angry. Of course, in the course of a month, the two of you were dating..."

"Yeah," Jon said, looking down at her. "And a little more than a year after that we got married."

"She's going to be okay, Jon," Josh said looking at his brother. "After all that the two of you went through to be together, it won't end like this. You have to believe that."

"I'm trying to," Jon said with a short, derisive laugh. "I really am."

"I know it can't be easy," Josh said. He looked thoughtfully at his brother.

Jon simply shook his head. "I should probably go check on the baby," he said.

"Lizzy will be back with the food soon," Josh said. "Why don't you wait until after you've eaten something? Don't argue Jon. Allie would tell you the same thing..."

"Okay," Jon said.

Josh smiled. "There is something I've always wondered though..."

"What's that?" Jon stroked his wife's cheek.

"How on earth you got her to forgive you after that stunt you pulled at school?" Josh asked. He could tell that talking about these memories seemed to be helping Jon. "I'm surprised she didn't try to push you in the Hillsdale lake when she first saw you on that holiday."

"I'm not sure either," Jon said. "I guess... we were just at Hillsdale and I thought... may as well ask her out- I may not ever get another chance so I did... I couldn't believe when she said yes."

Allison remembered exactly what had happened though. She could still remember how they'd only been at the resort for a day when she and Frankie went to the lake. Frankie had rushed off almost immediately to go and get a snack so Allison had set about laying out a blanket on the grass.

"Is it safe to approach?" an amused voice said behind her.

"What?" Allison jumped, startled. "Oh Jon... I didn't realise it was you."

"Or you would have thrown that bottle of suntan lotion at me, right?" Jon asked smiling down at her.

"Probably," Allison smiled back. "Um... did you want to sit down?"

"You wouldn't mind?" he asked her trying not to beam at her, but failing miserably.

"Of course not," Allison said. "We probably won't be out here long though- we have dinner in just a little while."

Jon sat down beside her and thought hard about what to say. He didn't want to put his foot in his mouth as he was apt to do whenever she was around.

"I never really had the chance to apologise for what I did the night before finals," Jon finally said. "I really was just trying to make you laugh, Al. Sorry---Allison."

"You can call me Al if you really want to," she said, suddenly feeling shy.

Jon grinned. "I'd like that."

"So are you excited about your last year at Hogwarts?" she asked, not really knowing what to talk to him about. She didn't know Jon as well as she knew Josh.

"After the stunts I pulled this past year, I'm lucky I'm entering my last year at Hogwarts," Jon admitted.

"You know, it really was kind of funny... now that finals are past." Allison said, pushing her long ponytail over her shoulder.

Jon looked at her in surprise. "You aced that potions final, didn't you?"

"Yes," she said, blushing a bit.

"See," Jon said nudging her. "Not only are you the prettiest girl in Gryffindor, you're also the smartest."

"Oh please," Allison said her face now aflame. "I'm far from the prettiest girl in Gryffindor."

"You are," Jon said smiling at her. "I can't think of any girl in Gryffindor prettier than you."

Allison felt a jittery sensation in her stomach at his smile and his words. "Well... thanks. Most people say Chiaki or Frankie are the pretty ones- they take after my mum more than I do.

"I think you are very pretty," Jon said, looking down at the blanket. "And funny and smart and lucky for me---forgiving."

"I can't seem to hold a grudge," Allison confessed. "I get angry pretty easily but I never seem to hold onto it."

Jon grinned. He wanted so badly to ask her if she would fancy taking a walk with him after dinner, but he didn't no how to broach the subject.

"So um... I guess our families are eating dinner together with the Potters." Allison said.

"Aye," Jon said. "And it's supposed to be really nice night, too."

"I can't picture it not being nice here," Allison said. "This place is beautiful. I can see how all our parents fell in love while being here."

"I know," Jon said silently cursing himself. She'd just given him the perfect opportunity to ask her. What on earth was he waiting for? He was afraid that she'd laugh in his face, but something told him she wouldn't.

"Listen Al," Jon began. "I was just wondering...you know...your family and my family are going to be eating dinner together tonight. And if it was okay with you---that is if you didn't have plans..."

Allison turned on her side and looked at him with a smile on her face.

"And if you didn't have plans," Jon repeated. "I was really hoping you might fancy taking a walk with me after dinner. You don't have to, if you don't want to, of course. And I'd completely understand if you didn't want to..."

"That sounds like fun," Allison said. "I'd have to ask my parents of course- they don't think we should date until we're sixteen- less than a bloody year away." she turned red. "Not that it would be a date or anything of course... I mean--"

"No," Jon said quickly. "Not a date. Just two people who've known each other since they were kids...getting to know each other better."

Allison nodded. "Sure," she said. "I'll um... I'll ask and let you know at dinner."

"Great," Jon said. "And I promise I won't assault you with silly string."

Allison laughed. "It's a deal."

Josh shook his head. "That was really smooth, Casanova. You do realise she was completely sprung on me at that point, don't you?"

"Not for long," Jon replied. "And you were too big a git with Julie to realise she fancied you."

Josh laughed. "Very true. For what it's worth, she picked the right brother."

Jon nodded. "I think so too." he grinned. "Thanks mate. I feel a lot better than I did."

"Good," Josh said grinning at him.

"I come bearing a feast," Lizzy announced. "And Josh- you got Jon to smile!"

"He was just informing me about how he won Allie with some silly string," Josh said smiling at her as she wheeled in a tray of food. "And Merlin's beard, Liz. How much food did you get?"

"Enough," she retorted. "Jon, eat up."

Jon walked over to the tray and grabbed a bread roll.

"Mum's going to bring Caroline by in a few hours," Josh said. "When I left the house this morning, Mum was trying to tell her that the hospital wouldn't allow her to bring the puppy with her."

"Okay," Jon said. "She loves that dog- you'd think it was human."

"I still can't believe she wanted to name it after Neville," Josh said laughing.

Jon shook his head. "We finally talked her down. It was hard but somehow I didn't see Neville enjoying the fact that the dog was named after him."

"I don't think he appreciated how you laughed right after Caroline suggested it," Josh teased.

"Probably not," Jon said.

"Speaking of names," Josh said. "Have you named the little one down the hall yet?"

Jon shook his head. "I can't name her without Allie. It just doesn't seem right." he glanced towards his wife, praying for some sort of movement.

"She's a beautiful baby," Lizzy said. "All the nurses can't stop cooing over her."

Jon smiled, but it was sad looking. "I just feel horrible you know- that I'm not paying as much attention to her as I should. But I can't leave Allie either."

"It's understandable," Lizzy said softly. "But she'd want you to take care of yourself. And to take care of your daughters, too. You know I'm right."

"I know," Jon said. "I guess part of me wants to blame the baby for what happened to Al. But then the other part of me shuts that feeling away. I don't blame the baby. I don't WANT to blame the baby."

Lizzy felt tears come to her eyes. "I keep wanting to blame myself. If I'd only done something sooner. If I'd diagnosed everything quicker..."

"We don't blame you Lizzy," Jon said gently as Josh reached for his girlfriend. "I don't and I know Al doesn't."

"Really?" Lizzy asked. "I just feel like I let all of you down."

"You helped deliver the baby safe and sound," Jon said. "It's what Allie would have wanted. She would put the baby's health over her own no matter what."

Lizzy nodded. "I know. That's what makes her such a great mum. You and Caroline and that sweet baby are everything to her, Jon."

"And she's everything to us," Jon said, kissing Allison's forehead. He let his head rest gently on hers for a moment. "Come on Al..." he whispered. "I know you can hear me."

Josh put an arm around Lizzy as they watched Jon. Lizzy's eyes grew large as she thought she saw Allison move her hand.

"D-did you see that?" she asked Josh.

"What?" Josh asked.

"Allie just moved her hand," Lizzy said excitedly. "I might have been imagining it..."

All three of them watched Allison intently, but she remained still and composed. "Maybe it was just a reflection," Jon said, trying to keep his disappointment out of his words.

"Maybe," Lizzy said frowning. "I, um, should probably go. I still have rounds."

"I'll see you later," Josh gave her a kiss, keeping it chaste. "Love you." he said under his breath.

"Love you," Lizzy whispered before walking out of the room and leaving the twins alone with Allison.

"I should probably go check on the baby now," Jon said. "You don't mind staying a few minutes do you?"

"No, of course not," Josh said. "Give my niece a kiss from her Uncle Josh."

"I will," Jon said. "Be back in just a bit."

Josh took Jon's now empty seat and looked over at Allison.

"Come on Allie," he said. "You can't leave him behind. Him, Caroline or your new little baby."

Outside in the waiting room, Caroline had just come in with her grandparents. "Daddy is Mummy awake yet?" she asked.

Jon lifted her up into his arms. "No, sweetheart. She's not."

"I made her another picture," Caroline said. "She can see it when she wakes up!"

"She's going to love that, baby," Jon said kissing her on the cheek.

"Can we go and put it on her table?" Caroline asked, giving her father an extra tight hug.

"Sure we can," Jon said. "We'll make sure that we put it where it'll be the first thing she sees when she wakes up."

Jon knew he was treading on dangerous water here. He knew he was supposed to prepare Caroline for the possibility that Allison wouldn't wake up, but he just couldn't bring himself to talk about his wife in those terms.

Josh smiled when his brother came back in with Caroline. "Hey you," he said softly.

"Hi Uncle Josh," Caroline said running up to him.

"What have you got there?" he asked, giving the little girl a hug.

"It's a picture I made for Mummy," Caroline said, handing it to him. "That's me, the new baby, Daddy and Mummy. And that over there is Max. I had a little trouble drawing his ears, but I think I did okay."

"You did a fantastic job," Josh kissed her cheek. "Are you going with your daddy to see your new sister?"

Caroline looked over at her father. "Can I go with you, Daddy?"

"Of course you can love," Jon said.

Caroline walked over to her mother's bedside table and held up the picture.

"This one is for you, Mummy," she said softly. "I'll be right back, okay?"

Jon pressed his lips together as Caroline reached for his hand. He shared a glance with his twin before they left the room and headed for the nursery.

"I still don't see why I couldn't bring Max with me," Caroline said conversationally to her father.

"Because Max would probably run all over and disturb the patients here," Jon replied.

"He'd have been good, Daddy," Caroline argued. Jon held up a hand to quiet her as they entered the nursery. "Where is she Daddy?" Caroline whispered.

"She's over there sweetheart," he picked her up and carried her over to the crib marked 'Baby Girl Weasley'. "Mummy and I have to pick out a name when she wakes up." If she wakes up... but he pushed that thought away.

"But there's a tag on there already," Caroline said. "Isn't that her name?"

"No sweetheart. It just says Baby Girl."

"Baby Girl?" Caroline said scrunching up her nose. "That sounds really stupid, Daddy."

"I know Caroline," Jon said, rubbing his head. "But I don't want to name her without your Mum."

"You really miss Mummy, don't you?" Caroline asked putting her arms around Jon's neck.

"Very much," Jon kissed his daughter's cheek.

"I miss her too," Caroline said burying her face in Jon's shoulder.

Jon hugged her. "Everything's going to be okay baby," he said.

Caroline nodded and then looked at the sleeping baby in the crib. "Was I ever that little?"

"Even smaller when you were born," Jon said fondly.

"Smaller than her?" Caroline asked pointing at the baby. "Because she's really small, Daddy."

"She was early," Jon said. "You weren't, but you've always been a tiny thing."

"Was Mummy happy when she found out she was going to have me?" Caroline asked.

"More than happy," Jon said. "We were both so excited. And every day you've been around we get happier and happier."

Caroline smiled broadly and for a few minutes, she and Jon just watched as the newest member of their family slept. As if sensing that she was being watched, the baby awoke and the nurse came forward with a bottle.

"Mr. Weasley?" the nurse asked. "Would you like to do the honours?"

"Sure," Jon said, wanting to feel closer to his new daughter.

Caroline stood beside her father as he sat down on the rocking chair. The nurse gingerly handed him the baby.

"Can I help Daddy?" she whispered.

Jon smiled. "Sure sweetheart. Why don't you hand me the bottle?"

"Okay," Caroline said, handing it over. "Daddy? I don't like calling her Baby Girl."

"We'll name her as soon as your mum wakes up," Jon said quietly. He could tell Caroline wasn't about to take no for an answer though. Sure enough she was looking at him with her little arms crossed.

"Daddy- I don't think it's fair to the baby." Caroline replied.

Jon stifled a laugh. "Okay then. What do you want to name her? And before you say it, we can't name a little girl after your grandfather."

"I want to name her..." Caroline thought for a moment. "I want to name her Emma."

"Emma?" Jon asked. Although it didn't feel right picking out a name without Allison, he did have to admit that Baby Girl Weasley didn't seem fair to the baby. The more he thought about it, the more he thought that Allison would like that name, too. At one point, he and Allison had even toyed around with naming Caroline---Emma.

He looked down at the baby. "You know what Caroline? She does look like an Emma."

Caroline was delighted. "So we can name her that? I think Mummy would really like it!"

"I think so too," Jon said smiling at her.

Caroline was so excited she wanted to hop up and down but she didn't. "Hi Emma," she whispered to her little sister.

"Emma Weasley," Jon said softly. "Meet your big sister, Caroline."

"It's really a cute name Daddy," Caroline was so proud. "I can't wait for Mummy to wake up so I can tell her!"

A few minutes later, Jon and Caroline made their way back to Allison's room. Luna and Ron had joined Josh in the room.

"Grandma! Grandpa!" Caroline exclaimed forgetting her promise to keep quiet. "I named the baby!"

"Shh sweetheart," Jon put a finger to his lips.

"Sorry," Caroline said sheepishly. She looked at her grandparents and whispered, "I named the baby."

"You did?" Ron smiled at his granddaughter and pulled her onto his lap. "What name did you pick out?

"Emma," Caroline replied happily. "What do you think of that, Grandpa?"

"I think it's perfect sweetheart," Ron kissed the top of her head.

Luna smiled and walked over to Jon. "How are you doing love?"

"Better thanks to Josh," Jon said. "I still want her to wake up, of course..."

"We all do," Luna said squeezing his hand. "Oh Jonathan. I wish there was something I could do."

"I'm just glad you're all here. Having family around really helps." Jon said, giving his mother a hug.

"We'll do anything we can to help you," Luna said. "And I know you don't want to leave Allison, but promise me that you will look after yourself. Promise me that you'll eat and at least try to get some sleep."

"I got a little this morning around four," Jon replied. "And then Lizzy brought me some food from the cafeteria."

"Good," Luna said smiling at him.

Lizzy walked in the room and after exchanging hellos with Ron, Luna and Caroline, she told them how Neville and Cho were outside and that they wanted to see Allison.

"I hate to be the bad guy, but hospital rules allow no more than three visitors at a time," Lizzy explained apologetically.

"We'll wait outside with Caroline," Ron offered.

"I should go with you," Jon said quietly. "I'm sure they want some time alone with Al."

"Are you sure?" Lizzy asked.

"Yeah," Jon said reluctantly. He didn't want to leave Allison, but he knew that her parents needed their own time with their daughter.

He picked Caroline up and followed Ron and Luna out of Allison's room.

"Grandpa guess what!" Caroline said excitedly. "I named the baby!"

"You did?" Neville asked mustering some enthusiasm for his granddaughter. He and Cho hadn't slept at all the night before.

"Her name is Emma," Caroline reached for her other grandfather.

Neville took Caroline from Jon and smiled at her. "That's a really beautiful name, Caroline. And I'm sure that your mother is going to love it, too."

"When she wakes up I'm going to tell her right away," Caroline nodded.

Cho smiled at her granddaughter. "After you give her a great big hug and kiss right?"

"That's right Grandma," Caroline said. "Just like this!"

Tears welled up in Cho's eyes as Caroline gave her a hug and kiss on the cheek. Both sets of her grandparents and her father knew that this whole turn of events would have been unbearable had it not been for the brown-haired girl holding everyone together.

"I thought you might like some time alone with Allie," Jon said softly to his in laws.

"Thank you, Jonathan," Neville said. He set Caroline back down. "You ready, Cho?"

"Yes dear," Cho tried to hide the fact that she was trying not to cry.

Josh and Lizzy left the room as the Longbottoms came inside. The tears Cho had been so valiantly trying to hold back flowed freely down her cheeks.

"It doesn't look like any change," Neville said brokenly, holding his wife as she slumped against him.

Cho nodded. "She's so pale, Neville."

"I know," Neville replied, perching on the edge of the bed. "Hey baby," he said softly.

Cho walked over to the other side of Allison's bed.

"Allison Catherine," she whispered brushing a strand of hair from Allison's face.

"You have to wake up love," Neville said.

"That's right," Cho whispered. "You have two beautiful little girls. A husband that adores you. Two sisters who can't seem to do anything without asking you first. And a mother and father who are so proud of you...and none of us is ready to let you go, Allison."

Neville stared at his daughter, wishing so hard that he could switch places with her.

27. Chapter 27

A/N: Wow, we really have been putting you guys through the emotional wringer here haven’t we? This part resolves what’s happened to Allie… the next part takes place around five-six months after this. As always, please let us know what you think by leaving a review!

A few hourslater after he'd said goodbye to everyone, Jon walked back into Allison's room. It had been a very long day. Caroline went home with Ron and Luna again. Neville and Cho who were past the point of exhaustion were fast asleep in the waiting room.

Jon wished he and Allison were back home safe and healthy in their own home, in their own bed. He leaned over and kissed her forehead.

"Good night, Al," he whispered before stretching out in the chair beside her bed.

Allison sat next to Jon on the sofa in front of the fireplace in the Gryffindor common room. "It's good to be back at school," she said, her head on his shoulder.

"I never thought I'd ever say this, but I think so too," Jon said. "It's great to be back at school."

"No parents," Allison said, grinning devilishly.

"No annoying little sisters walking in on us," Jon added. He looked over his shoulder at the staircase. "At least we hope so..."

"She's in bed," Allison said, turning her body around to look at him properly. "I think... everyone else is too."

"Except for me," Jon said mischievously. "And my girlfriend--the prefect."

"Can you believe that?" she asked, delighted.

Jon nodded. "So now you're the prettiest, smartest and most powerful witch in Gryffindor..."

"That's only because the Head Girl is in Hufflepuff," Allison answered with a giggle.

"And she's nowhere near as beautiful and smart as you," Jon said nuzzling her neck.

Allison's eyes closed. "Please keep doing that Jon," she said her voice low.

Jon grinned and he continued to do just what she'd asked. He'd waited to be alone with her like this all day, but she'd had to oversee getting the first-year Gryffindors the tour of the grounds.

Allison fell back onto the sofa and grabbed his tie bringing him down on top of her.

They kissed passionately as if they hadn't seen each other all summer. He tore his lips away to kiss down her neck as her hands wandered over his chest.

"Allie," he breathed.

"Your Allie," she said breathlessly.

He touched her cheek. "I love you, Allie."

"I love you too," Allison said. "I love you so much."

Jon smiled. "I can't believe you and I are here like this..."

"I know," Allison replied. "Feels like a lot longer than a few months... the best few months of my life."

Jon kissed her. "You want to know something, Allie? You are the only girl I ever want to kiss."

She smiled. "I'm glad to hear that," she replied.

"And the only girl I ever want to do this to," Jon said as his hand reached under her shirt.

She sucked in a breath as her eyes closed again. She and Jon had done their fair share of touching and snogging when she'd been at their house in Ireland but it seemed so different here- without the risk of an adult walking in on them.

Their kisses became more intense as Jon started to unbutton her shirt.

Allison knew they should stop but this felt so good that the words wouldn't come out. Instead, she began to loosen his tie.

"Allie," he whispered against her skin.

"Yeah?" she whispered back.

"I want you so much," he replied huskily. "But...we should..."

"I know," she replied a bit sadly.

Jon pulled away and reluctantly sat up.

"Our first time isn't going to be on some sofa in the common room," he told her pulling her close. "You deserve better than that, Allie. I want to make that special for you."

She nodded. "As long as it's with you. When we're both ready."

"Right," Jon agreed. "But there is something we could do...of course; we'd be breaking a few school rules..."

"And me being a prefect," Allison shook her head but she was grinning.

"But if you were willing to overlook that," Jon said smiling back at her. "You could come upstairs with me. And we could you know draw back the curtains on the four-poster and sleep together...just sleep. Of course, if you wanted to snuggle up next to me, I wouldn't have any problem with that..."

"I think that sounds like a fantastic idea," Allison leaned over and kissed him lightly. "And being a prefect, I have the right to enter the boys' dormitory anytime I feel like it..."

Jon stood up and offered her his hand. "Come on then. Let's go to bed."

"Yes let's." Allison replied as she shot straight up in bed, breathing heavily. Instead of the Gryffindor Common Room she was in a hospital room, most likely St Mungos. And what... she pressed her hands to her stomach. "Baby..." she whimpered.

Jon, notorious for being a sound sleeper, hadn't heard nor seen Allison as she awoke.

Allison's lips trembled. What had happened to her baby? She saw her husband asleep in a chair in the corner of the room. "Jon..." she said, her voice cracking. Her throat was so dry and she tried to swallow. "Jon..." she coughed.

Jon awoke with a start and looked over at Allison.

"Allie?" he asked unsure if he was dreaming this.

"Jon," Allison said her voice stronger. "Where's... the baby?"

Jon shakily got to his feet and went to her bedside. He reached out to touch her.

"You're awake!" he said happily. "You are really awake!'

"What happened to me?" Allison pleaded. "Jon please tell me, where's the baby?"

"The baby's fine, Al," Jon replied smiling at her. "We had a healthy baby girl."

Allison's body sagged against the pillow in relief as she began to cry.

"Sweetheart," Jon said putting an arm on her shoulder. "I thought I'd lost you. When you were in labour, you had an aneurysm. You've been in a coma for two days."

"I had an aneurysm?" she whispered.

"Yes," Jon replied gently.

"Am I going to be okay?" she asked, panicked. "What about my parents, my sisters- what about Caroline?"

"You're going to be fine," Jon said kissing her forehead. "And your parents are just outside. Caroline's been staying with my folks."

Allison nodded and Jon suddenly got an idea.

"I know what you need," he said softly. "I might have to put on the old Weasley charm..."

"What?" she asked.

"I'll be right back," Jon said kissing her cheek before he sprinted out of the room. A few minutes later, he came back in the room carrying Emma.

"Oh!" Allison sighed.

"She's been waiting impatiently to meet her mum," Jon said softly placing the baby in Allison's arms.

"She's so beautiful," Allison felt tears come to her eyes again. "Oh Jon..."

"What is it, Al?" Jon asked.

"She's just so perfect," Allison sobbed. "And we never picked out a name for her."

"Caroline sort of came to the rescue on that," Jon said with a grin. "I wanted to wait until you woke up, but Caroline thought it was unfair to make the baby go by 'Baby Girl Weasley', so she thought of the name Emma."

"Emma," Allison repeated. "I think that's perfect."

Jon smiled. Tears welled up in his eyes as he watched his wife holding their new daughter.

"Allie," he whispered. "I was so afraid that I'd lost you."

"You didn't," Allison said, using her free hand to draw him close. "I'd never leave you Jon."

"I don't know if I'd know how to do any of this without you," he said softly. "You and the girls are everything to me."

Allison drew him even closer and gave him a quick kiss on the lips. "I'm sorry I made you worry," she whispered.

"This wasn't your fault, Al," Jon said stroking her cheek.

She nodded and looked down at her new sleeping daughter. "Where's Caroline?" she asked.

"She's at my folks," Jon replied. "She's been staying with them since it happened. Your parents are just outside with your sisters."

"I want to see them," Allison said. "I feel horrible for making everyone worry."

"I'll go and get them," he said. "And I'll go and get Caroline from my parents. She's going to be so happy."

Jon started to walk out of the room, but he doubled back and kissed his wife. "My Allie."

"Always your Allie," she said, tears in her eyes. "Always Jon."

Jon was positively giddy as he walked out of his wife's room and into the waiting room. He gently shook Neville's arm.

"Wake up everyone!" Jon practically shouted.

"What?" Neville snorted, waking up. "Jon? What's going on?"

"Allie's awake," Jon answered smiling broadly at his in-laws. "She's awake!"

"Allison's awake?" Cho asked, tears stinging her eyes. "My baby is awake?"

Jon nodded happily. "She's with Emma. And she wants to see all of you. I'm going to go and get Caroline from my parents' house."

"What about the mediwizards?" Neville asked, rubbing his eyes. "Have they been in to see her yet?"

Jon shook his head. "No, I suppose..."

Frankie wiped her eyes. "I'll go and find Lizzy, Jon. You go on and get Caroline."

"Thanks Frankie," Jon said, dashing from the room.

Cho, Chiaki and Neville walked into Allison's room.

"Allie," Cho said her voice breaking.

"Hi Mum," Allison said, cuddling Emma closely. "Hi Dad, hi Chi."

"Hi baby," Neville said coming forward and kissing Allison on the forehead. "You gave us quite the scare."

"I'm sorry Daddy," Allison whispered.

"Its okay love," Neville said smiling at her. "All that matters is that you and Emma here are okay."

"Have you met your new granddaughter?" Allison asked.

"Aye," Neville said grinning down at Emma.

"Caroline named her Emma," Allison said softly.

"It's a beautiful name," Chiaki agreed. "Allie I'm so glad you're awake."

"Me too," Allison said as she began to cry again.

"Caroline was so sweet," Cho told her daughter. "The first night, she slept right beside you. Jon said that she sang to you. She said that was what you did when she was sick or felt bad."

Allison's tears spilled over. "She's such a good girl," she sobbed as her mother took Emma. Frankie came in the room and dove at her sister while Lizzy hugged her from the other side.

"Allie," Frankie sobbed. "Don't you ever scare me like that again!"

"I'm sorry," Allison reached for a tissue.

"I'm the one who should be saying sorry," Lizzy said shakily. "I should have diagnosed..."

"No Lizzy, no." Allison said. "You did everything the way I wanted you to. If it came down to me or Emma, you did what I wanted you to do."

"She came into this world crying her lungs out," Lizzy said.

"That sounds about right," Allison said, laughing through her tears.

Lizzy gave Allison a preliminary once-over.

"You're vital signs are normal," she said. "I think we'll need to do some more tests in the morning and maybe keep you a couple of days for observation, but the best I can tell you are going to be okay, Mrs. Weasley."

Allison nodded. "Thank you Lizzy," she said softly.

"Mummy!" Caroline exclaimed running at her mother as she came into the room. She was clad in her pink pyjamas and was carrying her teddy bear.

"Caroline!" Jon called after her. "I swear that kid is fast!"

"Hi baby," Allison said, tearing up again as she hugged her daughter tightly.

"I missed you soooooooooooo much!" Caroline said burying her face in Allison's shoulder.

"I missed you too sweetheart," Allison said. "I love my pictures you drew for me. I saw them as soon as I woke up."

Caroline smiled. "I named the baby, too. Daddy wanted to wait for you, but I thought it would be really unfair to make her go by Baby Girl Weasley. Since Daddy always calls me Baby Girl anyway. She should have her own name."

"I think Emma is a lovely name," she brushed a lock of Caroline's hair back. "And I think it's very special that you picked it out for her."

"Daddy stayed with you the whole time," Caroline said looking over her shoulder at Jon.

"I know he did," Allison smiled at her husband.

"Can we stay here tonight with you, Mummy?" Caroline asked.

Jon looked at Lizzy. "Would that be okay? We'd be very good."

"This reminds me so much of Hogwarts," Lizzy said laughing. "Did this ever work on McGonagall?"

"No," Jon shook his head. "Why do you think I had detention all the time?"

"All the time?" Neville asked raising an eyebrow at his son-in-law.

"Uh," Jon said sheepishly. "Sometimes..."

"Grandpa its okay," Caroline shook her head. "Mummy and Daddy loved each other!"

"I was just teasing your father," Neville said laughing.

"Grandpa, you're silly," Caroline said, snuggling next to her mother.

"Your father used to do some pretty silly stuff when we were in school," Allison said putting an arm around Caroline.

"I was only trying to get your attention, Al," Jon said defensively.

"You certainly got McGonagall's attention," Allison teased.

"The silly string incident," Lizzy said. "I remember you came looking for my Potions notes."

"I've never been so mad at another human being," Allison said shaking her head.

"But I got your attention," Jon said, grinning.

"You are such a goofball," Allison said winking at him.

"A goofball that won you over," Jon said, sitting next to his wife and daughter on the bed.

Allison smiled at him. "Yes you did."

"Well, Allie," Cho said, leaning over and giving her a hug. "We should probably get going so you can get some rest."

"I just want some time with my family," Allison said, hugging Caroline again.

Cho, Neville, Chiaki, Frankie quickly said their goodbyes and promised to be back first thing in the morning. Lizzy volunteered to take Emma back down to the nursery.

"Can we have her for a few more minutes?" Allison asked. "Just five more minutes?"

"Of course," Lizzy said handing the baby over to her friend. "You've got loads to catch up on after all."

"Thanks Lizzy," Jon kissed her cheek. "I'll bring Emma back in a few."

Lizzy nodded and then walked out of the room.

"You know what would make this perfect?" Caroline asked sleepily. "If Max could be here, too."

Allison and Jon laughed. "I suppose it would, but we'll have to wait until we're all home for that reunion," Allison kissed the top of Caroline's head. "We need to think of a middle name for Emma." she looked at her husband. "I do have an idea..."

"Neville?" Caroline offered.

"No silly," Allison laughed. "I'm thinking we could name her Emma Madeline. Since your sister was the one who helped get me and the baby here that day."

"Emma Madeline," Jon repeated. "I love it. And Maddie's going to be so thrilled. She was really worried about you, Al."

"She's so sweet," Allison said.

"She and Ethan came by and visited with me tonight before I went to bed," Caroline told her parents.

"They did?" Allison asked. "What's... new with them?"

"I haven't really been keeping up with them," Jon replied.

"Aunt Maddie fancies him," Caroline said. "And I think he likes her, too."

"They were going to spend New Year's Eve together," Allison said softly. "That's why we were out shopping- to find something for her to wear."

"They did get to spend New Year's Eve together," Jon said quietly. "Just not under the best circumstances."

Allison cast her eyes downward. "I sort of ruined everyone's holiday didn't I?"

Jon cupped Allison's face in his hands. "You didn't ruin anyone's holiday. I'd rather miss a hundred New Year's than spend one day in this world without you in it."

"Me too!" Caroline chimed in.

"Thank you," Allison said, the tears falling again. "I love you all so much."

Jon gently wiped the tears from his wife's face. "We love you."

*** *** ***

"It's really nice of you to offer to take us all to the train," Maddie said to Ethan as they headed to St. Mungos.

"I was taking Saffy anyway," Ethan said smiling at her. "And I wanted to spend as much time with you as I could before you had to go back."

She smiled, her face turning a bit pink. "I'm so glad Allie's okay," she said.

"And you have another niece to spoil," Ethan teased her.

"Aye that too," Maddie laughed. "As if she won't be spoiled enough as it is by my parents."

"And Allie's parents," Ethan said joining in her laughter. "Mum and Dad did the same thing with Katie and Ashley."

Maddie smiled and leaned against him as they got into the lift.

"Are you looking forward to going back to school?" Ethan asked her. "Your last term ever at Hogwarts?"

"Yes and no," she said, her head resting against his shoulder. "I mean, it's been partly my home for seven years. It's going to be hard to say goodbye."

"And I'm sure it'll be hard to say goodbye to your friends, too," Ethan said.

"That too," Maddie agreed.

The lift pinged open and Ethan took Maddie's hand as they walked down the corridor toward Allison's room.

"Hi Auntie Maddie!" Caroline exclaimed when they walked into the room. She was perched on the edge of her mother's hospital bed colouring.

"Hi Caroline," Maddie held out her arms and Caroline raced into them. "Hi Allie, how are you feeling today?"

"Very happy," Allison said smiling at her sister-in-law. "I can't even begin to thank you for how much you helped me..."

Maddie smiled back. "Oh come on Allie. You know I'd do anything for you."

Allison grinned. "I'm glad you stopped by. There's something you need to know."

"What's that?" Maddie asked as she perched on the other side of the bed. Ethan stood near the door.

"I'm sure Caroline told you how she named the baby Emma, right?" Allison asked.

"Yes and I love the name," Maddie said, smiling at her niece who grinned proudly.

"Well," Allison said. "Last night, Jon and I decided that the baby's full name will be Emma Madeline Weasley."

"After you, Auntie Maddie!" Caroline said nudging her.

Maddie's jaw fell. "You're naming the baby after me?" she asked.

Jon walked into the room at Maddie's words, carrying baby Emma. He nodded hello to Ethan.

"Madeline Molly Weasley," Jon said handing Emma to his sister. "Meet Emma Madeline Weasley."

Maddie's eyes filled with tears. "You guys don't have to do this," she said, her voice shaking.

"We want to do this," Jon said smiling at her. "You were there for Allie. We're all really grateful to you, Maddie."

Maddie kissed the baby on the forehead. "I can't get over how beautiful she is." she smiled at Ethan who was still leaning against the door frame.

"I can't stop looking at her," Allison admitted.

"I can understand that," Ethan agreed.

"There's one more thing Mad Dog," Jon said as she started to hand the baby to Allison.

"What's that?" Maddie asked.

"We want you to be Emma's godmother." Jon said with a grin.

"Me?" Maddie asked looking at them. "But what about Lizzy? She's Caroline's godmother."

"She's Caroline's godmother," Jon answered. "We want you to be Emma's. We're going to ask R.J. to be her godfather."

"Oh Jon!" Maddie said hugging her brother with a ferocity that could almost mirror their Nana's.

"Mad Dog..." Jon said. "Oxygen's a bit necessary..."

"Sorry," Maddie said letting him go. "That's...I'm going to be the best godmother to Emma. I promise."

"We know you would be," Allison said.

"So," Jon said walking over to Ethan. "You and my sister, eh?"

"Yeah," Ethan replied. "Although we're taking it slow mate, don't worry."

"Treat her right," Jon said shaking Ethan's hand. "That's all I ask."

"She deserves the best," Ethan said. "I hope I can give that to her."

"I hope so too," Jon said smiling at him.

"You ready Mads?" Ethan asked a few minutes later. "Train's going to leave in an hour and we still have to go get Saffy and R.J.”

"Yes," Maddie said reluctantly. She mussed Caroline's hair. "I am going to miss you so much."

"I'll miss you too Auntie Maddie," Caroline replied. "But maybe you can owl me and Mummy and Daddy can help me owl you back!"

"You've got yourself a deal," Maddie said hugging her. "And I know you're going to be such a good big sister to Emma."

Caroline nodded happily. "I get to help Mummy feed her!"

Maddie smiled. She someday hoped that she would have her own family just like this.

"Goodbye, Allie," she said giving her a hug. "And thank you."

"Thank you Maddie," Allison said gratefully. "If it weren't for you neither me nor Emma would be here."

Maddie felt new tears welling up in her eyes. As if sensing this, Ethan put a hand on her shoulder. "Come on, Mads."

"Okay," she said, wiping her eyes. She gave her brother a hug and she and Ethan left the hospital room, his arm around her shoulder.

Ethan, Maddie, R.J., and Saffron made it to King's Cross with a few minutes to spare.

"You better write to me," Saffron said sternly to her big brother.

"I will," Ethan said. "I already told you this morning at breakfast that I would." he ruffled her hair.

"You said that at the beginning of the year," Saffron reminded him. "And I didn't get one owl from you."

"I've been busy!" Ethan replied. "But I promise to write you within the next week okay?"

"You'd better," Saffron said hugging him. "I'll see you on the train, Maddie."

"Okay I'll be there in a few minutes." Maddie said. R.J. had already disappeared in search of his friends so she turned to face Ethan. "Guess this is goodbye for now," she said softly.

Ethan smiled at her, but two girls brushed past them. One of them was someone he vaguely remembered from his own days at Hogwarts. She blushed bright pink when she looked at him. Her friend grabbed her arm and pulled her away, but they were still within earshot of both Maddie and Ethan.

"How on earth does Completely Mad Maddie know Ethan Potter?" the one girl hissed to her friend.

"Their parents are friends, remember?" the other girl said. "He's probably doing a favour for his dad."

Ethan frowned when he heard this but Maddie put a hand on his arm. "Don't worry about it," she said softly. "What they say about me doesn't bother me."

"It bothers me," Ethan whispered.

"It shouldn't," she leaned in a bit.

"You're right," Ethan said touching her cheek. "It's their loss if they don't see what a wonderful, caring, beautiful person you are."

He smiled sweetly at her before claiming her lips in a passionate kiss.

Maddie stifled her gasp of surprise as they kissed and relaxed into his embrace immediately.

A few fifth-year students hooted and hollered as they walked by the kissing couple. Maddie giggled as Ethan broke the kiss.

"I think we just put on quite a show," she laughed softly.

He laughed. "Well, in case anyone had any doubts about why I was here, I wanted to clear that up for them."

Maddie smiled before leaning in to kiss him again.

Ethan wrapped his arms around her and pulled her close as he deepened the kiss. He wished there was some way to spend more time with her.

"Mmm..." she said as they pulled apart. She was still in his arms. "I lo-- I'll miss you." she said, turning red at what she'd almost just said aloud.

Ethan grinned. "I'll miss you too, Maddie."

"You promise that you'll try to come for the Hogsmeade weekend right?" she asked as he tucked a strand of hair behind her ear.

"Send me the schedule and we'll see about making plans," Ethan said kissing her forehead. "You, um, better go."

"I know," Maddie chanced one more kiss on the lips. "See you soon Ethan."

"You can count on it," Ethan said watching as she boarded the train. "Don't you go dancing in the snow with some Hufflepuff, Mads."

"You're dancing in the snow with me if there's any left on the Hogsmeade weekend." Maddie poked her head out the side.

"I'll make sure to practise," Ethan called after her. The train started to pull away from the station and Ethan waved one last time before turning his back and walking away.

Back on the train, Maddie stood by the door a few moments, her fingers touching her lips. She could still feel Ethan's mouth on hers and she could still taste him as well.

"Maddie!" Saffron called out from a compartment. "I saved you a seat!"

"Oh," Maddie jumped. "Thanks Saffy." she smiled at the younger girl.

"And I'm not even mad at you for monopolising my brother," Saffron teased, sitting back down.

Maddie shook her head. "I didn't mean to," she said blushing a bit. "He's really very um..."

"Crazy about you," Saffron finished for her. "Come on, Maddie. You have to know that after all the time he spent with you over the holiday."

"I hope so," she said softly, her mind on what she'd been about to say to him before she'd jumped on the train. "We both agreed that we're not a couple yet. It's a bit soon after he broke things off with Bree."

Saffron started to say something, but the compartment door swung open and the two girls from the platform walked in and sat down on either side of Saffron. She recognised them as Taffy Monroe and Jackie Carlin, Gryffindors in Maddie's year.

"Hello, Saffron," Taffy said smiling sweetly at her. "How was your holiday?"

Saffron stared at them in disbelief. Neither of these two girls had ever spoken one word to her in any of the years she'd been at Hogwarts.

"Fine," she said slowly.

Taffy giggled. "I'm sure it was. You live in a really big house, don't you?"

"Of course she does," Jackie said. "Her father is THE HARRY POTTER and her mother is the Minister for Magic."

Maddie glanced at the two girls, nonplussed as she pulled out her quill and parchment to write a letter to Allison. "Did you both have a nice Christmas?" she asked politely.

Jackie and Taffy ignored Maddie and concentrated on Saffron.

"I heard your brother broke up with his girlfriend, is that true?" Jackie asked.

"He's really dreamy," Taffy chimed in. "He looks so much like your father, except he has those brown eyes."

Saffron looked completely disinterested. "My brother is dating Maddie now," she said.

The smile on Jackie's face fell. "Maddie? Maddie Weasley?"

"Her?" Taffy said pointing at Maddie.

"Yeah," Saffron folded her arms.

"Since when?" Jackie asked turning her attention to Maddie. "I mean Ethan Potter is gorgeous, strong and you're ....well, you're...you."

Maddie gazed at her, bemused. "I don't know why he decided to fancy me," she said in her typical nonplussed fashion. "We just started talking, and then he gave me this beautiful bracelet for Christmas, and we've kissed a few times." a dreamy smile spread across her face. "He's very romantic though."

Jackie and Taffy exchanged confused, bewildered looks.

"I'm sure you have something more important to do," Saffron said to the two girls before getting up and then sitting back down next to Maddie.

"But..." Taffy said.

"We wouldn't want to keep you, Taffy," Maddie said pleasantly. "It was nice to see both of you."

Jackie and Taffy both stared at her, their jaws slack.

"Bye," Saffron said rudely.

"Come on Jackie," Taffy said grabbing her friend's arm. "We, um, were going to check on that thing, remember?"

"Right," Jackie said, staring with open hostility at Maddie who didn't seem fazed by it in the least.

When she and Maddie were finally alone again, Saffron just shook her head. "Can you believe the nerve of those two? Acting as if I was their best friend...and then saying those horrible things about you."

Maddie shrugged. "I don't care what they say about me."

"I wish I could say the same," Saffron said wistfully. "My mum always tells me to just shake things off, but I can't always seem to do that. I guess I get that from my dad."

Maddie smiled at her. "I just don't let it affect me. I concentrate on my family and friends, the people that love me."

"Like my brother?" Saffron teased.

Maddie blushed again. "I don't think Ethan loves me," she said softly.

"I think he's well on his way," Saffron said truthfully. "He couldn't stop talking about you to mum this morning."

"Really?" Maddie asked interestedly.

Saffron nodded. "I wasn't eavesdropping of course, but he kept telling mum how great you were and how sweet you were and how much fun he had over the holiday with you. And how he was so proud of you for how you handled what happened with Allie."

She blushed again. "I'm glad he thinks so," she murmured. "Your brother is really great. I knew that back when I was four years old." Maddie laughed.

"You should have to live with him sometime," Saffy said laughing. "He's not the cleanest person in the world. He used to pay me to clean up after him."

Maddie laughed. "My dad's that way, still. I guess its good I take after my mum. I like to have things around me but I'm pretty organised."

Saffron laughed. She saw Maddie look back down at her parchment and she figured she should give her friend sometime to finish her letter.

"I'm going to go and see if I can get something to eat," Saffron said reaching in her pocket for some money. "You want something?"

"I'm okay," Maddie smiled at her. "Thanks Saffy."

"No problem," Saffron said walking out of the compartment.

Maddie glanced back at her parchment and suddenly her quill was flying across the page. She detailed what she was feeling and what she'd almost said and before she knew it, Maddie had written two pages. I guess I'm just hoping you can tell me what to do, or maybe help me figure out exactly what I'm feeling, she finished.

28. Chapter 28

Authors’ note: Thanks for the reviews, guys! We appreciate each and every one of them. This chapter takes place during the summer holiday while the Potter & Weasley families are vacationing together in Brighton. You will get to see more of Ethan and Maddie, of course. And you will get to see more of Saffron (one of our favourite characters to write, by the way). You will also get to see RJ speak---you’ve wanted that for quite some time apparently lol. He is a supporting player in these few chapters, but we are currently writing a storyline for him that has him taking more of a leading role. Hope you enjoy this chapter and please review.

CHAPTER TWENTY EIGHT

As Maddie and Ethan soon found out, the best laid plans sometimes didn't work out. His busy schedule prevented him from coming to visit and they'd had to settle for conducting their new relationship over owl post.

Fresh off her graduation from Hogwarts, Maddie was looking forward to finally being able to spend some time with Ethan. Their two families were spending the first week of the summer at the Potter's cottage in Brighton.

It had been nearly five months since she'd last seen him and she was unsure of what it would be like after all this time apart. His letters were sweet, but they didn't really tell her more than what he was doing and how he was getting along. He didn't mention anything other than how much he missed her and how sorry he was that he hadn't been able to see her.

Ethan was also quite nervous and was currently pacing around the fireplace in his parents' large sitting room. "Aren't we ready to go yet?" he called impatiently. "I'm sure they're already there at the cottage."

"I can't find my broom," Saffron said stalking out of her room. "Mum! Have you seen my broom?"

"No," Hermione called out. "Didn't you have it out in the backyard last night?"

"Ooh!" Saffron's eyes lit up as she ran outside. "Found it!" she screamed triumphantly.

"I just need to send off a few last minute owls," Hermione said as she rushed past her son. "I'll be quick, Ethan."

"Dad," Ethan complained.

"Don't look at me," Harry said setting down some bags by the fireplace. "You know how your mother and sister are. Just be grateful that Nick and Julie and your nieces are coming this evening and we don't have to wait for them too."

"I guess," Ethan grumbled. His palms were sweaty and he wiped them on his jeans. "Hey Dad... do you think Maddie will still you know... want to be in a relationship? Since we haven't seen each other since January and all?"

"You're really worried about that, eh?" Harry asked him sitting down on the sofa. "I know you feel bad about not being able to see her, but it couldn't be helped. You're in your last year of training."

"I'm glad I was just able to get this week off to spend with everyone," Ethan said. "And we've kept in touch through letters- I've never written so many bloody letters in my life."

Harry laughed. "I think you're still in with a chance, Ethan."

"I hope so," Ethan grinned ruefully. "It's funny to think how I always used to run away from her as a kid and now I just can't wait to be with her again."

"Maddie used to say you were playing hard to get," Harry said laughing as he remembered the sight of the adorable four-year old running after Ethan.

Ethan laughed as Hermione and Saffron came into the room. "Are we finally all ready?" he jumped off the sofa.

"Anxious much?" Saffron asked setting her bags down.

"Sod off," Ethan replied.

"Lovely way to start off the family holiday, Ethan," Saffron said sticking her tongue out at him.

"Don't talk to your sister that way Ethan," Hermione admonished. "And Saffron, it's not ladylike to stick out your tongue."

"That's not what you said last-- ouch!" Harry winced as his wife jabbed his side with her elbow.

Saffron covered her ears. "Too much information, Dad!"

"Really," Ethan agreed. "Spare Saffy at least. I'm rather used to it by now."

"Okay, okay," Harry said. "Let's go before we scar our youngest for life."

"Thank you," Ethan said, grabbing his bag. He'd packed the bare necessities, thinking he could always Apparate back if he needed anything.

Maddie had arrived earlier with her parents and R.J. and was currently sitting on the sofa, waiting for Ethan and reading a book.

"I can't believe we actually arrived here first," Luna was saying as she and Ron set out a tray of food on the coffee table. Ron quickly grabbed a sandwich and stuffed it into his mouth.

"I know," Ron said, crumbs flying everywhere.

There was a loud pop from outside and Maddie tried to hide her excitement. She'd thought that the Potters would be arriving via floo, but she supposed it would be possible for Ethan to Apparate instead. As she turned around, the smile on her face fell as she saw her twin sisters, Drew and Darla.

"It's great to see you too, Mads," Darla said laughing.

"Be easy on her," Luna said hugging her twin girls. "She was expecting someone else."

"We know," Drew and Darla said together. "You and Ethan," they both said in a sing song voice.

Maddie blushed. "Shut up, you two."

"You didn't bring Paul with you?" Ron asked Drew, referring to her on-and-off again boyfriend of three years, Paul Davies. Paul was a keeper for the Chudley Cannons.

"No," Drew said frowning. "He couldn't get away, Dad."

"Maybe later in the week?" Ron asked hopefully. He always wanted to talk shop, especially when it came to the Cannons.

"He promised to try," Drew said. She laughed at the disappointed look on her father's face. "Come on, Dad. Look at it this way. You'll get to have all my undivided attention."

"I can't say I don't like that," Ron hugged her.

"Where is everyone?" Darla asked, helping herself to a sandwich.

"Coming soon I hope," Luna said. "Knowing Hermione she probably had a million last minute things to do at the office," she laughed.

"Probably," Darla said with a laugh. "What about Jon and Josh?"

"Coming soon," Maddie replied.

"Dad's ready to spoil his only grandchildren," R.J. teased. "Caroline and Emma have got it so good."

"Well I need more of them," Ron said with a meaningful glance at his twin daughters. "Don't you two go getting any ideas yet." he said to Maddie and R.J.

"Don't worry, Dad," R.J. said laughing. "I'm a long way off from doing anything as daft as getting married and having kids."

Maddie grinned. "That's not what you were saying when Julia Winters was asking you to Hogsmeade." she teased.

"Shut it, Maddie," R.J. said, but he was smiling at her. "Let's see how you are when your boyfriend gets here."

Maddie blushed. "I'm not denying that I want a relationship here." she said with a smile.

"You've wanted one with Ethan since you were four years old," R.J. said. "Even if you tried to deny it, no one here would believe a word of it."

Maddie laughed. "That's why you won't see me deny it. Besides, Jon and Allie were only a few years older than you when they up and got married. So you never know."

"They only got married because Allie's dad caught them--," R.J. started, but Drew hit him on the arm.

"That's not the only reason they got married you git," Drew said. "If it had been, they wouldn't have been together so long."

"Whatever," R.J. rolled his eyes. "I want to play the field for a long time."

"That's what I used to say," Ron told his son. "And now I've got a wife, two sets of twins, another daughter, a son and two granddaughters."

"That's right," Luna said dreamily.

"Way to depress me dad," R.J. said pulling a face. "You mean someday I could end up like you?"

When he saw the look on his father's face, he laughed. "I'm only joking, Dad. You're actually pretty cool for an old man."

"Old?" Ron asked. "OLD?”

"Grandpa!" Caroline's voice called out as she opened up the door and launched herself at her grandfather.

"Yeah, Grandpa," R.J. said patting his father's arm.

"We just got here, Grandpa!" Caroline exclaimed hugging his neck.

Ron scooped his granddaughter up and kissed her cheek. "I missed you so much sweetheart."

"I can't wait to go looking for seashells and I want to build a big sandcastle. Will you help me make it just like Hogwarts castle? Please, Grandpa?"

"That sounds like fun," Ron agreed. "Count me in Caroline."

"And then I can bury you in the sand," Caroline said mischievously. "And you won't be able to move..."

"Now why would you want to do that?" Ron asked, tickling her side. "Trying to make your YOUNG grandpa all defenceless?"

"Grandpa," Caroline said laughing. "You're so silly. You're really old, but I love you just the same."

R.J. laughed at his father's expression. "See Dad?"

"Stuff it you," Ron grumbled but kissed Caroline's cheek again. "Where's Emma?"

"Right here," Allison said as she and Jon walked into the cottage. "She's been a little fussy, which was why we were so late."

"Allie!" Drew said smiling at her. "I can't believe you had a baby over five months ago. Look at how great you look!"

"Thanks," Allison said, grinning broadly at her sister in law. "These two keep me active all the time."

"Don't you mean Jon keeps you active?" Drew cracked.

Allison blushed. "Well, I, um..."

"Not in front of my daughter aye?" Jon grinned at his sisters. "What sort of trouble have the two of you gotten into lately?" his twin sisters had opened a wedding coordinator company together and it was quite successful.

"We're too busy to get into any trouble," Darla replied. "And don't look at me, Jon. I've always been the sensible one. Drew's the one dating the famous athlete."

"That's right," Jon said. "Where is the King of the Cannons? I've got some plays I want to talk to him about."

"Unable to make it," Drew said frowning. "But he said he'd try to get here if he could. But I wouldn't count on it."

"Damn," Jon looked at his father who nodded in agreement.

"Well I see Ron's already made himself at home in the kitchen," Harry was standing in the doorway.

"It's about time you got here," Ron said to his best friend. "You and Hermione doing the bunny hop again?"

"Last night," Harry replied smoothly. "And twice this morning."

"I so didn't need to know that," Ron said slapping his friend on the back. "Where's your better half?"

"Coming with Saffy. She insisted on bringing her broom and Hermione was arguing about it with her." Harry replied, giving Luna a kiss on the cheek.

"Hi Uncle Harry!" Caroline said waving to him. "Do you want to help me bury Grandpa in the sand later?"

"Of course I do Caroline," Harry grinned at the little girl. "You name the time and place and I'll be there with a huge shovel."

Caroline smiled and clapped her hands enthusiastically.

"You're not going to be able to fly much," Hermione was saying to her daughter as they came inside. "This is a Muggle area, Saffy. What do you think the neighbours would think if they saw you flying around on your broom?"

"I'll fly under Dad's invisibility cloak Mum," Saffron put her hands on her hips. "Come on Ethan; tell Mum it'll be okay if I fly!"

"Leave me out of this," Ethan said walking past his mother and sister and setting their bags down.

"There's no way that I'm letting you fly under that invisibility cloak. How would you be able to stay on your broom and hold onto the cloak at the same time?" Hermione asked her.

"I'll put it around me and sit on it," Saffron said, with satisfaction. "There--see I've figured it out!"

"Will you please talk some sense into your daughter?" Hermione asked Harry.

"We'll talk later," Harry said with a warning look at his youngest daughter who pouted. "Let's get settled first and eat something before Ron does away with most of the food."

Maddie stood back and watched as most of her family and the Potters headed into the kitchen. She felt butterflies in her stomach as Ethan finally spotted her.

"Hi," she said softly.

"Hey," he grinned, crossing the room. "I missed you." he pulled her into a hug.

She relaxed into his embrace and rested her head on his shoulder.

"You feel the same," Maddie whispered.

"So do you," he said, kissing the top of her head. "Now I feel as if the last five months never happened."

Maddie wondered why he hadn't kissed her properly yet, but she didn't want to read too much into this too soon. They hadn't seen each other in five months and the infatuation he may have felt for her then may have faded as quickly as it had started.

"So," she said taking his hand and leading him over to the sofa. "How's your training?"

"Busy," he shook his head. "I felt horrible when I couldn't come visit you that weekend. I really wanted to. They had us sent out to Okinawa to train with swords." he leaned in. "Don't ever let my Aunt Lav tell you that sushi is good. The sushi we had there was absolutely disgusting."

Maddie laughed. "I tend to agree with you on that. But about that weekend, it's okay. I understand. I was really busy too."

"I just didn't want you to think that I didn't want to be there," Ethan smiled at her. "I did."

"I know," Maddie said squeezing his hand. "But at least you wrote to me. I didn't think you would."

"I promised you I would." Ethan said. "I know I wasn't the best- I'm really not much of a letter writer."

"Your letter on those tactical manoeuvres you learned was really stimulating," Maddie teased.

He turned red. "You always kept asking me what was going on in my training," he said a bit defensively.

"It was a joke," Maddie said giggling.

Ethan poked her side. "A joke?"

"Yes," Maddie said laughing harder. "You know those things people tell each other that make you laugh. As I recall you used to have a pretty good sense of humour."

"I still do," Ethan said, poking her again. "I just need to hang around you a little while to make it come back out again." he gave her a charming grin.

"Just a little while?" Maddie asked looking into his brown eyes.

"Well maybe more than a little while," Ethan replied, leaning in.

Maddie smiled as she too leaned forward. They were just about to kiss when Josh swung open the front door carrying Lizzy in his arms.

"Josh," Lizzy said laughing. "Put me down!"

"I can't," Josh said grinning at her. "I have to carry you over the threshold."

Ethan and Maddie looked at each other and then at the door. "Over the threshold?" Maddie asked. "Josh!"

"Say hello to Elizabeth Weasley," Josh said spinning around with Lizzy in his arms.

"Dr. Elizabeth Weasley," Lizzy corrected, giggling.

"MUM! DAD!" Maddie squealed. "COME IN HERE!"

"What?" Luna asked, running in. "What's wrong?"

Josh grinned. "We got married, Mum!"

Luna's jaw dropped. "Joshua... you..."

"Congratulations," Ron grinned broadly. He hugged Lizzy. "Welcome to the crazy Weasley family."

"Thanks," Lizzy said hugging him back.

"When?" Luna sputtered. "What? How?"

"We just decided this morning," Josh said. "It was really a spur of the moment thing."

"We know all about those," Jon said slapping Josh on the back. "It's about time, Joshua."

"I can't believe you would go off and do such a thing!" Luna exclaimed. "Out of our six children, two of them have run off and gotten married---without their parents present, might I add..."

"You were there for our second wedding, Mum," Jon reminded her. "You know the big one with everyone there?"

"Well yes but..." Luna wiped at the sudden tears that came to her eyes. "Oh congratulations sweetheart." she hugged her son and new daughter in law. "I'm so happy for you both."

"Thanks, Luna," Lizzy said smiling at her. "It really was just like Josh said. We were sitting at breakfast this morning and we just started talking about it and we both wondered what we were waiting for. And we just did it. Neither of us would have wanted a big fuss."

"You'll at least let us have a big party for you. And what about your parents? What did they say about this? They're going to want to celebrate as well." Luna said in one breath.

"They don't know yet," Lizzy admitted. "You lot are the first to find out."

"Congratulations!" Allison laughed as she hugged her best friend. "I knew the two of you would get it together sooner or later."

"Well Josh and I have always gone at our own pace, haven't we?" Lizzy asked laughing.

"That you have," Allison agreed.

"This calls for a huge party," Ron said. "Not that we ever need an excuse for that, of course. But I'm thinking huge barbecue on the beach...music, dancing and I just may let my little Caroline here bury me in the sand."

"Grandpa I was going to do that anyways!" Caroline exclaimed.

Ron laughed. "Yes you were, sweet girl. Come on. You can help Grandpa get the food."

"Don't you mean you can watch Grandpa eat the food?" Maddie asked, laughing.

"Of course Auntie Maddie," Caroline giggled.

"Come on," Maddie said following her father and niece into the kitchen. Ethan watched them go and knew that any time he'd expected to spend with her was going to be put off due to Josh and Lizzy's news. But, he hoped to get her alone again sometime soon.

*** *** ***

“I thought I’d find you out here,” Ethan’s voice made her jump.

“Where else would I be at midnight?” Maddie teased. “Not sleeping- that’s for normal people.”

“Which neither of us seems to be.” Ethan sat down next to her.

Maddie smiled at him as her heart fluttered. “I’m glad we’re finally getting a chance to be alone,” she said. “It was a bit crazy today.”

“I know.” He agreed.

They sat in silence for a few minutes. “So what are you doing out here?” he asked. “Seeing as how there’s no snow to dance in.”

“Star gazing,” Maddie replied.

“Of course,” Ethan replied. “What are you looking for up there?”

"Nothing really," Maddie replied still looking up at the sky. "I've always liked to just come out here and look up at the sky. When I was little, I used to think I could just reach up and grab the stars down from the sky."

Ethan chuckled. "And now what do you think? Think you can still do that?"

"Maybe," Maddie said dreamily.

They laid in silence again for a minute just staring at the sky. "So if you had to pick a star as your very own which one would it be?" he asked.

Maddie smiled. "You promise not to laugh?"

"Have I ever laughed at you?" he asked. "Well... since we were kids?"

"True," Maddie said. She rested her head on his chest and looked up at the sky. "My favourite star is Polaris, the North Star."

"Which one is that?" he asked softly. "Show me."

Maddie smiled and pointed up in the sky. "Right there." She lifted Ethan's arm up and pointed at the star. "That one."

"Pretty bright," he said. "But nothing else would do you justice."

Maddie smiled shyly at him. "I don't know about that..."

He sat up. "I need to tell you something," he said, swallowing nervously.

Maddie looked away. "It's okay. I think I already know."

"You might," Ethan said. "But... you might not."

Maddie shakily got to her feet and stared out at the ocean. "You've met someone. I understand...."

"No," Ethan shook his head as he stood up. "Maddie I'm in love with you."

Maddie sighed. "It wasn't as if you and I were..." her voice trailed off. She turned around and looked at him. "What?"

"I love you," Ethan said, his eyes locked on hers. "I've thought of you every day since I left you at the train in January."

Maddie stared at him, unsure of what to say. "Ethan," she began. "I..."

"I'll understand if you don't feel that way," Ethan said, rubbing his neck nervously. "I didn't want to spring it on you like that but I sort of blurted it out before I could stop myself."

"I have a confession to make," she said softly. "The day on the platform when we said goodbye. I almost said it then."

"You knew back then?" he asked, stepping closer.

"I think I may have known since I was four," Maddie said. She ran a hand nervously through her hair. "I sound silly, don't I?"

"Not at all," Ethan said. "The girl I love isn't silly."

Maddie looped her arms around his neck. "I love you too, Ethan."

He grinned in relief to hear the words from her. "So does this mean I can kiss you now?" he whispered. "I've been waiting to do it all day."

"I've been waiting for five months," Maddie said softly.

Ethan leaned in and sealed his mouth over hers, kissing her deeply and passionately. His hands slid through her long blonde hair as they pressed their bodies together.

Maddie had thought their first kiss had been amazing, but this kiss right now was making her feel things that she never dreamed possible.

They kissed for several minutes before finally pulling apart breathlessly. "Wow," he murmured, still running his hands through her hair.

"Fourteen," Maddie said dazedly.

"What?" Ethan asked.

Maddie smiled. "It only took me fourteen years to wear you down."

Ethan laughed. "Well now that I've come to my senses..." he leaned in to claim her lips again.

"Which goes to show you should have listened to me all along," Maddie said putting her finger on his lips.

"Guess you're right," Ethan agreed. "Remind me of that later when I try to disagree with you about something?"

"Deal," Maddie said before they kissed again.

Ethan conjured up a blanket and they lay back together for a little while enjoying the closeness between them.

The only sound was from the waves crashing onto the beach and Maddie sighed contentedly as she closed her eyes. A vision of Caroline playing on the beach during a bright, sunny day filled her head. Maddie could see her niece walking down the beach and putting seashells into a bright yellow bucket. The vision became blurry and Maddie saw her niece crumpled up on the sand crying her little eyes out. Maddie's eyes blinked open and she arose with a start.

"What's wrong?" Ethan felt her tense and sit up straight.

Maddie shook her head. "I-I don't know."

He was concerned as she looked around. "Was there someone here?"

She remembered that same disturbing vision she'd had months back when she'd rushed Allison to the hospital. In light of everything that had happened, she'd just brushed it off then. But it looked as if she was having another vision of something that hadn't happened yet. Maddie took a deep breath and collected her thoughts. There was probably a logical explanation for this.

"It's nothing," she said turning to face Ethan. "I just got a chill is all."

Ethan put his arms around her. "Want to go back in?" he asked. "I could make you some tea."

Maddie nodded. "That'd be nice."

He gave her a chaste kiss and helped her up, folding the blanket and tucking it under his arm.

Maddie followed him inside and tried to shake the image of what she'd just seen.

"Are you sure you're all right?" Ethan asked.

Maddie genuinely smiled at him. "I'm better than I've been in months. Thanks to you."

He set the kettle on the stove and then reached for her hand and pulled her close. "It'll be interesting to see what everyone says when they find out we're together." he spoke into her hair.

"Everyone pretty much knows," Maddie admitted. "Just before your family arrived, my brothers and sisters were teasing me."

"I suppose we have it pretty easy if you think about it," Ethan replied. "We don't have to go through that whole 'families getting to know one another' phase."

"That's true," Maddie said with a grin. "And we won't have to worry about that awkward pause during a first date when you don't know what to say..."

"Speaking of dates," Ethan laughed. "I'd like to take you on our first official date tomorrow night."

"What did you have in mind?" Maddie asked.

"Either dinner, or if you wanted to eat here with everyone then maybe we could walk into town for dessert afterwards," Ethan said.

"How about we go out for a walk and dessert?" Maddie asked. "I'm really looking forward to spending time with my family. I didn't know how much I missed them. We're all so busy, we don't get together as much as we used to."

"Sure," Ethan squeezed her hand as he leaned in for a kiss. "Saffy will be mad at me if I start ducking out on her so soon anyway."

"Yes she will," Maddie said yawning. "I'm actually kind of tired, Ethan. Do you mind if we call it a night?"

"That's fine," Ethan said, pulling the tea kettle off the stove. "I'm... I'm glad we got to talk." he sent her a smile.

"Me too," Maddie agreed. She kissed him. "Sweet dreams, Ethan."

"I love you Maddie," Ethan pressed his lips to hers.

"I love you," Maddie whispered walking backwards out of the kitchen, her eyes fixed on his. "Ethan James Potter."

"Madeline Molly," he returned with a grin.

As Maddie walked up the stairs to her bedroom, she tried to push all thoughts away other than those of the handsome boy downstairs who loved her as much as she loved him. She couldn't get that vision of Caroline out of her mind though. It was probably nothing, but she made a mental note to warn her niece to be careful on the beach tomorrow....just to be on the safe side.

*** *** ***

Maddie woke up quite early that next morning- the clock on the bedside table told her it was only half past six. She felt better about her vision of Caroline- she'd managed to convince herself it was a dream. Thinking she'd get an early start, she got out of bed and slipped her robe on. She padded downstairs and into the kitchen to see Allison seated at the table feeding Emma. "Morning," she smiled.

"Good morning," Allison returned with a yawn.

"How's Emma this morning?" Maddie looked down at the baby sucking contentedly on the bottle.

"Wide awake," Allison said smiling down at her daughter. "I tried to reason with her and told her that she really didn't want to get up now, but she wasn't buying it."

Maddie laughed as she poured herself a glass of milk. "Hey Allie... remember that letter I sent you right after I went back to school in January?"

"I do," Allison said. "You and Ethan had quite the romantic goodbye on the platform, right?"

Maddie blushed and nodded. "And I told you what I almost said to him that day..."

Allison kept her voice down just in case someone overheard them. "You almost told him you loved him, right?"

Maddie nodded again. "Well last night he came outside after everyone was asleep... we talked and he told me he's in love with me." she grinned.

"Mads, that's fantastic!" Allison squealed. "And you told him you felt the same way, right?"

"Of course," Maddie laughed. "It was just so sweet. And I thought he was out there to tell me that it was just a passing fancy and that he'd met someone else."

"Not bloody likely," Allison said setting the bottle down and cuddling Emma to her chest. "From what Julie tells me, you're the only thing he's thought about other than his training."

Maddie blushed again. "I just figured after not seeing him for five months that any feelings he'd had before were just a rebound thing. We never really talked about our relationship in our letters."

"Absence makes the heart grow fonder," Allison said. "Do you mind holding Emma while I get myself some coffee?"

"Of course not," Maddie eagerly took the baby. "I can't believe how big she's getting!"

Allison smiled as she poured herself a cup of coffee. "She's such a sweet girl. And Caroline's been very helpful."

Maddie's smile faltered a bit at the mention of Caroline's name.

Allison sat back down at the table and noticed the far away look on Maddie's face.

"Mads? Is everything okay?"

"Oh it's fine," Maddie said. "Just um... daydreaming a bit." she forced her smile back on.

"That's what you do when you're in lurve," Alison teased. "Daydream."

"Is that what you did when you and Jon fell in love?" Maddie asked, tilting the bottle as Emma continued to drink and stare up obliviously at her aunt.

Allison nodded. "All the time. Those few months Jon and I were apart...daydreams were all I had."

"He missed you so much," Maddie remembered. "I tried to cheer him up any way I knew how when he'd come home to visit us."

"You always do that," Allison said fondly. "Anytime anyone is feeling down, you always try and make them feel better."

Maddie laughed. "It's what I do."

Allison laughed. "You're really great at it. And I'm so happy for you and Ethan. It's about time is all I can say."

"I know. I told him he should have just listened to me all along." Maddie set the empty bottle on the table. "My, my someone was hungry!" she took the burp cloth Allison held out and put Emma on her shoulder, patting her back gently.

Emma let out a rather loud burp and as Jon came into the kitchen, he grinned.

"That's definitely my little girl," he said.

"Morning love," Allison smiled at her husband as he gave her a kiss.

"Morning, Al," Jon said touching her cheek. He looked over at his sister. "Morning, Mad Dog."

"Hi Jon," Maddie said, still holding Emma.

"What are you doing up so early?" Jon asked his sister.

Maddie shrugged. "Just woke up and couldn't go back to sleep."

"What about you?" Allison asked her husband. "I thought you were going to have a proper lie in?"

"You were gone," Jon replied.

Allison tilted her head and smiled at him. "I didn't want to get up, but little Emma Madeline there had other ideas."

"She's hungry all the time just like Dad," Maddie laughed.

Jon laughed. "Did you see what he put away last night? Seven hamburgers at last count?"

Allison and Maddie laughed. "Seven hamburgers with everything on them." Maddie said. "And don't forget the chocolate cake afterwards!"

"Nearly ate the whole thing himself," Allison said. "He has to have a bottomless stomach."

"And never gains a stone," Maddie and Jon said together, laughing.

Allison giggled. "It made me so angry when I was trying to lose my baby weight and I was eating carrots and celery and he'd sit down with a plate of pasta right in front of me."

"Dad's never known for his sensitivity," Jon laughed. "Especially when it came to food and Quidditch." he looked at his sister. "Remember when you'd repeat all the cuss words he'd say during matches and Mum would hit him upside the head for it?"

"And he'd just dig himself deeper in the hole," Maddie said laughing. "But that's just...Dad."

"Exactly," Jon said, reaching for his baby daughter.

Maddie gingerly handed Emma to her brother. "I may be biased, but she is one beautiful little baby, Jon."

"You can be biased all you want," Jon kissed Emma's cheek. "I certainly am. I've got the most gorgeous wife and daughters a bloke could ever ask for."

Maddie smiled. She wanted to let her brother and his wife have some time alone with their little girl.

"I'm going to catch up with you guys later," Maddie said grabbing her glass of milk. "I'm going to take a shower. Thanks for the talk, Allie."

"You're welcome," Allison said smiling as Maddie left the room.

"What talk?" Jon asked.

Allison looked to where Maddie disappeared. "Ethan told her he loves her last night." she said in a whisper.

Jon grinned. "It's about time."

"So you're not going to go protective big brother on her?" Allison raised an eyebrow. "You'll let newlywed Josh and R.J. on him instead?"

"I am going to be easy on Ethan," Jon said. "If Josh and R.J. want to take up the slack, so be it. But, I know how it is to deal with someone who’s overprotective." He looked down at Emma. "Can you say, Grandpa?" Emma just looked up at him adoringly.

Allison shook her head. "He's the best now though."

"That he is," Jon said smiling at her. "And crazy about his two granddaughters."

"But not so crazy that he has to watch Max while we're here," Allison laughed.

"True," Jon said. "How about we put the little one down and try and get some more sleep? Or we could do...you know...and then sleep."

"You know... sounds good to me." Allison leaned in for a kiss.

*** *** ***

Later that morning, both the Potter and Weasley families descended upon the beach. They couldn't have asked for a more beautiful day as there wasn't a cloud in the sky and the temperature was already quite warm.

Allison struggled to help Caroline with her belongings. The little girl had decided she needed to bring nearly all of her toys with her.

"Sweetheart," Allison said as she carried a basket of toys down to the beach. "I don't think you'll need all of these just to build your castle."

"But what if I do?" Caroline pleaded. "Then we'd have to come back to the house."

"That's true," Allison said with a laugh. "Okay, but you do realise you'll have to lug all this stuff back, don't you?"

"Daddy will help me," Caroline replied.

"I'll help you do what, sweetheart?" Jon asked his daughter as she and Allison sat down on the blanket he'd set out. Emma was cooing in her playpen under a large beach umbrella.

"Bring all my toys back!" Caroline smiled winningly at him. Behind her, Maddie stifled a giggle.

"How many did you bring?" Jon asked, looking down at the two baskets loaded with toys.

"That's quite a load you have there," Maddie said winking at her niece.

"Well Grandpa's going to help me make Hogwarts," Caroline said.

"Shh baby," Allison replied. "You have to be quiet about Hogwarts all right?"

"Oh," Caroline said covering her mouth. "Sorry, Mummy."

"It's okay love," Allison said. "Let me put some of this lotion on you before you go play."

"Okay," Caroline said sitting down in front of her mother.

Maddie looked over at them and smiled at how excited and happy her niece looked.

"Caroline?" Maddie asked, walking over to them. "Will you do me a favour?"

"Sure Auntie Maddie," Caroline said as her mother rubbed the suntan lotion over her small shoulders.

Maddie bit her lip feeling somewhat foolish about doing this, but she still hadn't been able to shake that vision from last night.

"Will you be extra careful today?" Maddie finally asked her. "Don't go swimming without a grownup or go walking alone, okay?"

"I won't," Caroline agreed. "I'll be with Grandpa!"

"Right," Maddie said smiling at her.

"Come on, Caroline," Ron called, waving her over. "You and me are going to take on Harry, Katie and Ashley to see who can build the best castle."

"Yay!" Caroline squirmed until her mother told her she could go and then ran towards her relatives.

"Jon!" RJ yelled at his brother. "Come on. Let's go surfing."

"Jon," Allison said. "You've never surfed in your life."

"No time like the present," Jon grinned.

"There are hardly any waves out there," Allison objected. "You're going to hurt yourself."

"You have no problem with me getting on a broom, but you object to me trying to surf?" Jon asked her with a nudge. "Come on, Al. You can come with..."

"No thank you," Allison looked at the water with a shudder.

Jon kissed her cheek. "I'll be careful."

Maddie watched Jon and RJ jump into the water as she pulled her long blond hair up in a messy bun. She still felt uneasy about Caroline but forced the thoughts from her head- her little niece would be safe with Ron, Harry and the girls. She saw Ethan approaching from over a sand dune and smiled.

"Good morning, Princess Cruella," Ethan teased as he sat down beside her. He'd gone for an early morning run and had returned to find the house empty. It didn't take him long to figure out where they'd all gone.

"Morning Mr. Everyday Hero," Maddie returned with a grin.

Ethan laughed. "No need to be so formal. You can call me Everyday Hero."

She laughed and pulled her cover up off. She wore a simple light blue bikini underneath- Drew had told her it set off her eyes when they'd gone shopping a few weeks before. She caught Ethan's interested gaze and grinned. "Caught you looking," Maddie teased.

Ethan pulled an innocent face. "Who me?"

"Yes you," Maddie returned as he sat down next to her.

"Okay, I may have been looking," Ethan whispered. "But I can't help it…you look amazing, Mads."

She blushed at his compliment. "Thanks," she said. "You've... filled out nicely yourself Ethan."

Ethan puffed out his chest. "Thank you...wait. So I guess you're saying I was rather scrawny before?"

"Nana said it; not me," Maddie replied innocently. "And you have to admit you were a bit scrawny when you were a teenager."

"What about you?" Ethan asked her. "You had so many bruises and scabs on your knees when we were growing up. What was it you were trying to do? Climb a tree to look at the birds?"

She nodded. "I still do that sometimes. But now I have a much better sense of balance."

Ethan grinned enjoying the playful banter. He and Maddie both lay back on the blanket and continued their chat.

Further down the shore, Caroline was happily helping her grandfather build the castle. Ron and Harry were involved in some serious trash talking.

"You're not going to beat us, Potter," Ron called out over his shoulder. "You can't use the M word and without that, you haven't got a chance."

"Please," Harry scoffed. "At least I wouldn't eat the sand like someone else I know."

"No you'd be too busy crawling down the rabbit hole," Ron retorted.

Harry grinned at that. "Don't be jealous Ronald."

Saffron had watched this all from the shore and she decided to even things out for her Uncle Ron. She wished she'd had a camera when she saw the look on her dad's face as she sat down beside Caroline and helped her.

"Saffy," Harry whined. "My own daughter!"

"Sorry Dad," Saffron laughed. "You know Uncle Ron needs all the help he can get."

"It's okay, Saffy," Ron said putting an arm around her. "You don't have to tell your dad that you would rather be on the winning team."

"Well that and Ashley and Katie stole my nanny," Saffron said looking over her shoulder at her nieces.

"Hey!" Harry replied. "You're at Hogwarts now- Nick and Julie need help with the girls more than you need a nanny."

"Then why can't Greta come back and stay with us during holidays when I am home?" Saffron countered, looking very much like her mother when she did so.

"Because you're a big girl and you don't need a babysitter," Harry replied. "Your Mum and I trust you to stay home by yourself without us there all the time."

"I still don't have to like it," Saffron said turning away from her father and concentrating on the castle.

Harry shared a look with Ron. "Come here Saffy," he said in a firm voice.

Saffron sighed and walked over to her father.

"What's the real problem here?" Harry asked gently, pulling Saffron away from Ashley and Katie.

"I miss Greta," Saffron said kicking some sand absently with her foot. "She was with us for 11 years, Dad. And now she's with Katie and Ashley and we never get to see her."

"How about we try and see if you can drop by there during the day to help out with your nieces while you're on holiday?" Harry suggested. "Would you like that?"

Saffron folded her arms. "I guess..."

"Saffy we're not getting her back to live with us," Harry said. "You'd best get used to that idea right now."

"Yes sir," she said giving him a weak smile.

Harry gave his youngest daughter a hug. "Saffy come on, where's that big smile?"

"Hidden underneath my braces," Saffron said giggling.

"Silly girl," Harry tweaked her nose.

"They are," Saffron said laughing. "I wish you'd let me shrink them down like mum did."

"You're gorgeous," Harry said. "With or without braces. Although I hate to have to beat off the blokes once you do get them off."

"Yeah right," Saffron said nudging her father.

"So when we all get back from our holiday and Greta gets back from hers shall I let her know that you'll be stopping by every so often?" Harry asked.

"Yes please," she replied.

"I'm sure she'll look forward to it," Harry kissed her forehead. "Now go do your best to try and beat your old man here eh?"

"You're toast, Dad," Saffron said smiling at him before running back to join Ron and Caroline.

"Laugh it up now," Harry said as he and Katie and Ashley dumped wet sand together.

"We should do a moat," Saffron said. "And we have to do Hagrid's hut too."

"Thanks for the ideas," Ashley called out competitively, where she, Harry and Katie were huddled together.

"They are my nieces and I love them, but I swear..." Saffron said scowling.

"Let's crush them!" Caroline said.

"Right," Ron said spiritedly.

"Would you look at them?" Hermione asked Luna as she and her friend surveyed the two teams. "Only they would make something like this competitive."

"I know," Luna shook her head. "Anything involving a team is competition for Ron though. It's in his blood- with that big family of his."

Caroline was having the time of her life as she, Ron and Saffron worked feverishly on their design.

"Do you know what would look really great?" Saffron asked standing up and taking a look at what they'd done so far. "Some seashells or something. We could line the walkway there..."

"I can go and find some!" Caroline said excitedly. "Do you want big ones or little, teeny ones?"

"Get some of each kind," Saffron said.

"Make sure you stay in sight," Ron added.

"I will, Grandpa!" Caroline called as she picked up her bright yellow pail and headed off to find some shells.

"We are so going to beat them," Saffron said smiling at her Uncle Ron.

"That's right Saffy," Ron grinned back at her.

"Don't tell my Dad this, but I love beating him," Saffron whispered conspiratorially.

"That's something you and I have in common," Ron whispered back. "Among other things of course." he grinned. "Like that chocolate cake last night!"

"That was so good!" Saffron said laughing

"Aye, that bakery is the best," Ron said, growing hungry at the mere thought. "We'll have to go back there."

"We should focus our attention on the task at hand," Saffron said moulding some sand. "By the way, Uncle Ron. If we win, what do we get? Other than the satisfaction of beating Dad?"

"I'm not sure. Oi Potter! What's the winning team get!" Ron called.

"I can't believe we didn't decide on this," Harry said thoughtfully. "And who is going to be the judge?"

"Your wife," Ron decided. "And mine."

"Oh, I'm sure they'll be objective," Harry said sarcastically.

"They will. I have a secret weapon," Ron nodded towards Saffron with a grin.

"How about the losing team has to do clean up for every activity the rest of the holiday?" Saffron asked.

"And the winning team gets as many treats as they want at the town bakery," Ron chimed in.

"You're on Weasley," Harry agreed.

Caroline was busily loading any shell she could find into her pail. She'd found some really pretty shells and she knew her Grandpa and Saffron would be pleased. She giggled as the water lapped at her feet.

A large bubble a few feet away caught her attention and she skipped forward to see what it was.

Further up the beach, Maddie was enjoying Ethan's company safe in the knowledge that her niece was safe and sound.

"I am not ticklish," Maddie said giggling as Ethan inched closer to her. "Ethan, don't you dare!"

"You are too ticklish," Ethan snickered. He was leaning in to kiss her when a thin scream of pain made everyone in the group turn away.

"MUMMY!" Caroline called out as she fell back onto the sand.

Allison tore across the beach at the sound of her daughter's voice. She was horrified to see a large blue bubble clinging to her daughter's leg.

"NO!" Lizzy was right behind her. "Don't touch it Allie!"

"What?" Allison asked her friend. "We have to get it off of her, Lizzy!"

Lizzy looked around for a stick of some sort. "It's a Man O War Allie. You can't touch it with your bare hands." she finally found a twig and went to pry it off her goddaughter's leg.

"Mummy, it hurts!" Caroline cried out, her lower lip trembling. "Please, make it stop!"

Allison scooped her daughter up as soon as Lizzy had pulled the bubble off. "Let's go back to the house," she tried to stay calm. "Lizzy can you bring Emma back for me?"

"I'll get her," Ethan said helpfully.

"Thanks," Lizzy said. "I should probably check on Caroline's leg."

"Right," Ethan agreed. He saw the look on Maddie's face. "Hey- she's going to be all right Mads..."

"I could have stopped this," Maddie said absently walking up the beach after Lizzy, Allison and Caroline. "I have to make sure she's okay."

"How could you have stopped this?" Ethan asked confused as he tried to wave down Jon from the shore.

"Nothing," Maddie said quickly. "Just go and bring Emma in. I'm going to check on Caroline."

Ethan stared after her for a moment before finally waving Jon down and heading back to get the baby. Harry, Ron, Saffron, Katie and Ashley had stopped building their sandcastles.

Inside the house, Lizzy was tending to Caroline's leg, which had swelled.

"It's going to be okay, sweetheart," Allison soothed trying to calm down her daughter who was still in tears.

"It hurts so bad Mummy." Caroline said between sobs.

Lizzy put a gel onto the wound before wrapping it up in some gauze. "It's going to hurt for a little while angel," she said. "But that gel's going to help make it better faster."

"Thanks, Lizzy," Allison said gratefully.

Jon came running into the house and brushed past his youngest sister who was staring at the scene before her with a look of shock all over her features.

"This soldier fish bit me daddy," Caroline said throwing her arms around her father's neck.

"It was a man o war," Lizzy said. "I didn't know they were around here but it got her leg pretty well. She'll be okay in a few hours."

"Poor baby," Jon kissed his daughter's cheeks.

"Daddy?" Caroline asked. "Why is there a big red mark on your forehead? Did you get bit too?"

"Um," Jon said sheepishly. "I sort of fell and hit my head on the board..."

"You see?" Allison asked. "It's not safe out there."

"I only fell a couple of times," Jon said defensively.

Caroline leaned forward and kissed her father's forehead. "Does that make it all better?"

"Much better baby," Jon said. "Come on, let's get you set up on the sofa. I think this calls for an ice cream soda."

Maddie watched them go, but still couldn't move.

Luna put a hand on her daughter's arm. "She's okay, sweetheart."

Maddie shook her head. "I saw it happen Mum... last night."

"What?" Luna asked.

"It was... like a vision or something," Maddie answered quietly. "And it's not the only time either. I had one before Allie went into that coma in January. I've had others when I was younger- about things that haven't happened yet but then do, but I never put it all together until now." she looked at her mother. "I never told anyone about them until now."

Luna led Maddie over to the sofa. "There's something I should probably tell you..."

"What?" Maddie asked.

"My mother---your grandmother," Luna said quietly. "She had visions too."

"She did?" Maddie asked. "So it's not just me?"

"I don't think so," Luna said squeezing her hand. "I don't remember much other than the things your Grandpa Lovegood told me. I think you could probably talk to him, but I think you might be a Seer, Maddie."

"A Seer?" Maddie breathed. "But a lot of people say that there are no true Seers."

"There are a lot of people who say they are Seers," Luna said softly. "They try to con wizards and witches out of money, but there are some true Seers, Madeline. And I think you just might be one of them."

"Wow..." Maddie said, a bit stunned.

"I know it's quite a bit to take in," Luna said giving her a hug. "But you have an incredible gift, Maddie."

Maddie hugged her mother back, feeling strangely relieved. "What should I do about it?" she asked.

"I think you should talk to Hermione," Luna replied. "There are some wizards in the Department of Mysteries who could probably help you to understand what all of this means."

"I thought Aunt Hermione didn't like Divination or anything that came with it?" Maddie said softly.

"She doesn't generally, but she handpicked many of the staff that currently works for the Department of Mysteries. That alone should tell you that she thinks these people know a little about what they're doing."

Maddie nodded. "Thank you Mum," she said, leaning in for a hug. "That makes me feel a lot better."

"You're welcome, sweetheart," Luna said hugging her again.

"We called it a draw Caroline," Ron said. "No one wants to make sandcastles without you okay sweetheart?" They'd come in after Ethan told them about the accident.

"But I want to finish, Grandpa!" Caroline protested. "We were winning!'

"We'll start a new contest tomorrow if your leg is all better," Ron replied.

"Okay," Caroline said reluctantly. "Hey, Grandpa? Which looks worse? My leg or Daddy's forehead?"

"Hmmm..." Ron pretended to be in deep thought. "Your leg looks worse- and yet you're being such a big girl about it!"

"I only cried a little bit," Caroline said proudly.

"And one ice cream soda for you," Jon said, coming into the room. "Grandpa's right Caroline- Mummy and I are both proud of you for being such a big girl."

"Did you cry when you hit your head, Daddy?" Caroline asked.

"No," Jon said. "It doesn't hurt bad, sweetheart."

"That's good," Caroline said. "You want some of my ice cream, Daddy?"

"Maybe just a sip," Jon said. "But don't give any to Grandpa he might drink it all."

"Really nice," Ron said frowning.

"Here you are, Dad,” Lizzy said setting an ice cream soda down in front of Ron.

"You are such a suck-up," Jon teased.

"I don't need to be," Lizzy sent him a smug smile. "I'm one of you guys now remember?"

"For better or worse," Ron said smiling at his daughter-in-law.

"Probably better," Caroline nodded. "Aunt Lizzy fixed up my leg and it doesn't hurt so much already."

"That's because you were such a brave little patient," Lizzy said pinching the little girl's nose.

"And I got an ice cream soda," Caroline said. "But I don't like that soldier fish at all."

Allison laughed. "I'm not too fond of him either for hurting my little girl."

"Daddy will you go kick him back in the water?" Caroline asked.

"He can't do that, angel," Lizzy said. "He'd get stung just like you did."

"I don't want Daddy to get stung," Caroline said as Ethan brought in Emma.

"Thanks mate," Jon said taking his daughter from Ethan. "I hope she didn't give you too much trouble."

"Never," Ethan smiled at the baby. "Everyone's coming back in though. Already looks like it might rain."

"Oh no," Luna said frowning. "It was so beautiful earlier..."

Ethan sat on the sofa next to Caroline. "I doubt anyone was having much fun without you." he pinched her cheek gently. "And we saved all your shells to use on a new sandcastle," he whispered in her ear.

"I picked out some really pretty ones, did you see?" she asked excitedly.

"Yes you did," Ethan said. "And Saffy hid them so no one else finds them."

"Yay!" Caroline said happily. Maddie walked over and sat down on the other side of her niece.

"I'm so sorry, Caroline," Maddie said starting to cry. "I'm so sorry."

"Auntie Maddie it's okay," Caroline said. "I don't hurt anymore."

"I know," Maddie said softly. "But I didn't like to see you hurting."

Ethan looked at her and knew that there was something more to this than met the eye.

"You can have some of my ice cream soda if it will help you feel better," Caroline offered.

Maddie smiled and hugged her niece. "Thank you, Caroline. But I'm okay."

"Okay," Caroline said, leaning back on the cushion.

Maddie looked up and met Ethan's concerned gaze. She knew she owed him an explanation.

"Caroline?" Ethan whispered to the little girl. "Do you mind if I steal your Auntie away for a few minutes?"

Caroline shook her head. "Everyone else is here!" she said.

"Okay," Ethan said taking Maddie's hand and leading her out onto the covered porch. "So, what's really going on, Madeline?"

Maddie looked out at the approaching rain clouds. "Ever since I was younger I've been getting visions," she began. "I never told anyone until today- just now when I talked to my mum. She thinks I'm a Seer."

"A Seer?" Ethan asked. "You mean like Trelawney?"

"Something like that, although the visions I see always seem to come true, and I haven't foretold any sort of prophecy." Maddie replied quietly.

"What sorts of things have you seen?" Ethan asked her.

"I saw Allison lying on her bed asleep, just like she was in that coma," Maddie crossed her arms over her chest. "I've seen other things that never quite added up to me until today." she took a deep breath. "It's also part of the reason I always bothered you when we were kids."

Ethan stared at her. "You saw visions of you and me?"

"Just one," she answered. "Only once."

"Do you mind if I ask what you saw?" Ethan asked gently.

She blushed. "Us kissing... I was only four when I had the vision but I knew it was you. We looked only a little older than we are right now."

"Really?" Ethan asked grinning at her. "Wow."

"Yes well imagine being four years old and seeing that," Maddie smiled back, relieved that he didn't seem disturbed by all this.

Ethan laughed. "Must have freaked you out a bit, eh?"

"At first," Maddie replied. "But then I thought- maybe that's what it was supposed to be like for me.” She shook her head and laughed. “I thought maybe I’d get a jump start on everything earlier on in life.”

"Maddie," Ethan said softly. "That's...how do you feel about all this?"

"It's a little overwhelming," she said, shivering as the cool rain came through the screen and hit her bare skin.

"I can imagine," Ethan said pulling her close. "I'll help you anyway I can. If you need someone to talk to..."

"Thank you," Maddie rested her chin on his shoulder. "Mum said I should talk to Aunt Hermione about going to see some of her people down in the Dept. of Mysteries."

"Mum will help you," Ethan said running his hand down her back.

"I hope I can figure out a way to prove this," Maddie said, feeling happier while in his arms. "It's not something I know how to control yet, or if I'll ever control it."

"You will," Ethan reassured her. "I know you will."

Maddie pulled back and smiled at him. "Maybe once you're a big shot Auror you'll get stuck working with me." she teased.

"If I'm lucky," Ethan laughed.

"You've been lucky so far," she said softly.

Ethan leaned in and kissed her. "I sure have."

He felt like he was going to pull away so Maddie snaked her arms around his neck to keep his lips pressed to hers.

"So," Ethan said breathlessly a few minutes later. "Do you have any visions about our date tonight?"

Maddie closed her eyes with a grin. "I see... ice cream." she said. "And snogging."

"I think I'm going to like dating a Seer," Ethan said.

"Well you know... sometimes if certain people are lucky, a Seer will give them a preview of things to come," Maddie said coyly.

"What do certain people have to do to get a preview?" Ethan asked, his eyes focused on hers.

"Lean in just a bit," Maddie said. "And close your eyes." he did so. "Hold me just a little closer..."

"Like this?" Ethan asked, his eyes still closed, but his hands wrapped around her waist.

"That's perfect," Maddie whispered, leaning in the last bit and kissing him.

"Mmm," Ethan whispered. "Absolutely perfect."

They kissed again, both surprised at the level of passion that was passing between them at that moment.

"Ethan," Maddie said reluctantly pulling away. "There's something else I think you should know."

"What's that?" he asked.

She blushed, not really sure of how to come out and tell him this. "I want to wait," she said looking up at him. "I know it sounds old-fashioned, but I don't want to..."

"Wait?" Ethan was confused and then he realised what she meant. "Oh!"

"It's just something I don't want to do until I'm married," she said softly. "I'll understand if you don't want to pursue any sort of relationship with me, but I thought you should know how I felt about this."

"I'd be crazy to give you up over something like that." Ethan said gently. "Maddie if it's important to you then it's important to me. I love you."

Maddie hugged him. "I love you, too."

Ethan gave her another kiss. "Can't wait for tonight," he said.

"Me too," Maddie said dreamily.

29. Chapter 29

A/N: This chapter is extra long- mainly because some of you have been clambering for a Julie/Nick and H/Hr scene- both of which are in this chapter ;) We’re so glad you all are enjoying the Ethan/Maddie relationship as well- and soon enough you all will have more than your fill of RJ talking ;) haha!

As always, please let us know what you think by leaving a quick review! Even if we don’t respond every time we do read them all and appreciate each one!

Because of the rain, everyone stayed inside for the remainder of the afternoon. Since they couldn't finish the sand castle contest, Harry and Ron satisfied their competitive urges with game after game of wizard's chess. Saffron looked over her father's shoulder as he contemplated his next move.

"Dad, you are really, really bad at this," Saffron said shaking her head.

"Always has been always will be," Ron grinned.

"Don't be so hard on Dad," Julie said to her sister.

"Why not?" Saffron asked.

"Because he's really sensitive about this," Julie replied. "He's never beaten Uncle Ron at this."

"Never," Ron said gleefully.

"Uncle Ron," Julie frowned. "Be nice."

"Don't worry," Harry said. "One of these days Weasley, I will beat you- mark my words."

"I still love you, Daddy," Saffron said, wrapping her arms around Harry's neck. "Even if you completely stink at this."

"Thank you baby," Harry grinned at his youngest.

"She's just trying to butter you up so she can go flying when it clears up," Julie said laughing.

"Jules!" Saffron said glaring at her older sister.

"It's true," Julie grinned at her. "Come on Saffy you know Mum doesn't want you to go."

Saffron crossed her arms. "Why did we have to get a cottage in a bloody Muggle area, anyway?"

"Because- damn it!" Harry cursed as Ron checkmated.

"Weasley is our king...," Ron sang high-fiving R.J.

Harry narrowed his eyes. "Another game," he said, grabbing his battered pieces and setting them back up.

"You really are a glutton for punishment," Ron said laughing.

"Who wants biscuits?" Hermione asked bringing a tray into the sitting room. When no one immediately jumped up, she rolled her eyes. "I didn't make them...."

"Well in that case," Ron reached for the tray but Harry's seeker reflexes went to work and he snatched it away.

"How about letting the rest of us have some before you eat the rest?" he asked sarcastically.

"Fine, fine," Ron said grinning at him. "Perhaps some nourishment will help your game, Potter."

"Damn right it will," Harry declared, passing the tray to his daughters.

"These are really great, Mum," Saffron said. "Who did make them?"

"Lizzy and Allie," Hermione said sitting down in between her two daughters.

"I helped too!" Caroline announced proudly, rubbing the bandage on her leg.

"How's your leg, baby girl?" Jon asked his daughter. He and Josh were playing a game of exploding snap.

"Better Daddy," Caroline ambled over to him. "Can I sit on your lap?"

"Of course," Jon said smiling at her. "You can be my good luck charm."

Caroline brightened. "I've never been someone's good luck charm Daddy."

"You've always been my good luck charm," Jon said as she settled down on his lap. "And your mum's. Don't you remember singing to her when she was sick?"

Caroline nodded happily. "And Emma stops crying when I give her a bottle."

"Jon?" Ron asked with a smirk. "You might want to lend Caroline to Harry. He needs all the good luck he can get."

"No can do, Dad," Jon said tickling his daughter. "She's a Weasley."

"That's right," Ron replied. "Why don't you come sit with Grandpa?"

"I'm going to stay with Daddy right now," Caroline said. "But if you get into any trouble, I'll come and sit with you, Grandpa."

"What about me Caroline?" Harry pretended to look injured as Ron made the first move. "I put extra ice cream in your soda today."

"Trying to buy off my granddaughter?" Ron asked his best friend.

"It's a shame there's not more of me to go around," Caroline said causing her father and uncle to laugh.

"Aye," Harry chuckled as Saffron slid under his arm. "A right shame."

"Here Dad," Saffron whispered something in his ear.

"What's she saying to you?" Ron asked raising an eyebrow at them. "You know this could be considered cheating."

"Come be my good luck charm," Harry shot back sarcastically.

"Boys," Luna said. "You're not setting a good example for the children."

"We're acting more grown up than they are," Jon said to his twin.

"We always have," Josh said quietly.

Jon snorted with laughter as he let Caroline play a card for him.

"Has anyone seen Ethan and Maddie since we came back in?" Julie asked as Nick, Katie and Ashley came in with some butterbeer.

"They are out on the porch," Nick reported. "Sharing a chaise lounge and watching the rain."

"That's so sweet," Julie looked towards the door.

"Uncle Ethan really likes her," Katie said giggling.

"She's fancied him for a long time now," Josh said.

"All of her life," Luna said softly. She hadn't mentioned anything to anyone about what Maddie had shared with her earlier.

"Damn it Harry!" Ron said as his friend made an extremely good move.

Saffron winked at her father. "Told you."

"Thank you Saffy," Harry kissed the side of her head.

"You're still not going flying," Hermione called out to her daughter.

Saffron shot her mother an angry look.

"Saffron Grace," Hermione said. "I know you want to go flying, but this isn't the place to do so. You can fly all you want when we go back home."

"But Mum I have to practise so I can be on the house team!" Saffron argued.

"Your Mum's right, Saffy," Harry said.

Saffron huffed. "See if I help you any more with your chess game." she snapped.

"Saffron!" Hermione said sternly. "You are not going to talk you to your father that way."

"Fine I'll just go to my room then!" Saffron stomped out, her door slamming a few moments later.

Hermione sighed. "Once again, I'm the bad guy."

Harry flashed Ron a look that told him the game was over and moved to sit next to his wife. "It's all right sweetheart," he said. "She'll get over it."

"No she won't," Hermione said angrily. She was a little upset that Harry hadn't backed her up on this more than he had. "And I don't want her flying with the invisibility cloak because she's just going to hurt herself."

"I wouldn't have let her do that," Harry replied. "I don't even have it with me."

"I didn't know that," Hermione said quietly. "I wish you would have said something sooner."

"I'm sorry," Harry whispered in her ear. "Come on, let's go talk to our daughter."

Hermione nodded and followed her husband upstairs to the room Saffron was sharing with Katie, Ashley and Caroline. Harry knocked on the door.

"Go away!" Saffron called out.

"Saffron Grace let us in," Hermione said. Both she and Harry could open the door easily with a spell but they chose to let their children have their privacy.

“No!” Saffron snapped angrily. “Leave me alone!”

“If you don’t open this door you’ll be grounded,” Harry said firmly. “And then you won’t go flying anywhere.”

“Please sweetheart,” Hermione said in a gentler tone. “We don’t want to punish you.”

Saffron swung open the door. "You know just because you don't like flying doesn't mean that you have to ruin it for everyone else!"

Hermione went inside, her husband following her and shut the door again. "Saffy- I'm just being practical. This area is swarming with Muggles and flying with an invisibility cloak is completely impractical."

"Your Mum lets you fly all you want when we're at home," Harry added. "When was the last time she told you no while we were home?"

Saffron frowned. "I know, but..."

"I'm not trying to spoil your fun, sweetheart," Hermione said gently. "I want you to have a wonderful holiday. You deserve it after how well your marks were this past year. But there are other ways to have a good time here. You can spend time with your nieces. You can go swimming..."

"I just love flying," Saffron said. "I like spending my time up in the air on my broom."

"I was the same way," Harry said with a grin. "But there are places we can fly and a lot of places we can't. Don't pin this all on your mother Saffy."

Saffron nodded. "I'm sorry, Mum. I didn't mean to get so cross with you."

"It's okay sweetheart," Hermione held her arms out.

Saffron hugged her mother. "So I can fly all I want when I get home?"

"When you get home," Hermione answered, kissing the top of her daughter's head. "Yes, you can fly all you want. Providing that you're always careful and wear your gear."

"Great," Saffron said smiling at her parents.

"Better?" Harry asked, ruffling her hair.

"Better," she said laughing.

"Ready to go back downstairs?" He asked. "And help me beat Uncle Ron?"

Saffron nodded. "Hey, Dad? Have you made a move since I came upstairs?"

"No," Harry replied. "But I think Ron might have wiped the board since we came up here..."

"If he hasn't," Saffron said as they walked out of the room. "I think I know a way that you could beat him."

Harry grinned. "You are most definitely MY good luck charm," he scooped his youngest daughter up as if she weighed nothing.

"Dad," Saffron said giggling as he carried her downstairs. "Put me down!"

"I will- by the chessboard," Harry teased as Hermione followed them, laughing.

Ron looked up. He was still sitting at the chessboard, but his mouth was crammed full of biscuits. Saffron smiled when she saw that he hadn't cleared the board.

"I hope none of you mind- I finished the tray," Ron said as soon as he'd swallowed. "There were only a few biscuits left--"

"What would your definition of a few be, Ron?" Hermione asked him.

"The last dozen," Jon cracked.

Ron cleared his throat and chose to ignore what his son had just said.

"So are we playing or what, Potter?"

"We're playing," Harry replied, pulling his daughter onto his leg. "Saffy's going to help me beat the trousers off you Ron."

"You've not won a game against me in the entire time I've known you, Harry," Ron scoffed. "But if you feel like you need help, fine. The more the merrier, I always say."

Hermione shared a look with Luna as both women shook their heads. "Men and their competitions," Hermione said. "I just don't understand it."

"Knight to E4," Ron said smugly.

Saffron and Harry studied the board before she whispered something in her father's ear. "Are you sure?" Harry asked her.

"Positive," Saffron said winking at him.

"Okay," Harry commanded his pieces. The game went on as such for another half hour until only two of Harry's pieces remained against six of Ron's.

"You could always give up," Ron suggested.

"No way," Harry said.

"Potters never quit," Saffron said smiling brightly at her Uncle Ron.

"That's right Saffy," Harry said as he made a move.

The smug smile on Ron's face faltered a bit as he stared at the board.

"What's the matter, Ron?" Harry asked. "You look like you might get sick."

"Sod off Potter," Ron said, furrowing his brow as he concentrated.

Ten minutes later, Ron still hadn't made a move. Harry tapped his fingers on the table.

"Come on Uncle Ron," Saffron said with a grin.

Ron glared across the board at them before calling out his move.

Saffron crowed triumphantly as she guided their piece immediately. "Come on Dad, I know you've been waiting to say it!"

Harry grinned. "CHECKMATE!"

"History was just made today," Luna teased.

Everyone gathered around the chessboard. Jon who was holding Caroline patted his father's back with his free hand.

"Grandpa!" Caroline said smiling sympathetically at Ron. "You should have called me over!"

"I know I should have," Ron said, reaching for her. "That's all right. We'll build a great sand castle tomorrow and show Harry whose boss."

"Let him enjoy his triumph for now," Luna said watching as Harry received congratulations from his children, grandchildren and wife.

"It was a long time coming eh mate?" Ron grinned at his friend. "Guess I can't be too sore at you."

"You do still have the winning record," Harry said shaking Ron's hand. "I have a ways to go and I think we all know how I won...my secret weapon."

Saffron grinned and blushed. "It was easy," she said.

Julie looked around for her husband wanting to share the good news with him, but saw that he wasn't in the sitting room.

"Hey Josh?" Julie asked. "Have you seen Nick?"

"He was just here a few minutes ago," Josh replied.

Julie nodded and decided to go and find him herself. She finally found him upstairs in the bedroom. To her dismay, he was packing.

"What's going on?" she asked.

"I have to leave for a day," Nick said. "I just got an owl- they found some mistakes in that last single I made so I have to go back and redo it."

"But it's our holiday," Julie said frowning. "You said that everything was okay..."

"I thought so too but apparently not," Nick said. "I'll only be gone a day Jules- I'll be back tomorrow night or the morning after that."

"Okay," Julie said forcing a smile.

"I'm sorry," Nick said, tracing her cheek with a finger. "You know I don't want to go."

She nodded and kissed him. "I don't like it, but I understand. We've both been so busy lately I feel like we're like two ships passing in the night."

"I promise when I get back we'll take some time just for us." Nick kissed her again. "And for the girls as well."

"You'd better," Julie said, hoping that this was a promise he'd be able to keep. The music business was very unpredictable as she had learned over the course of their marriage.

"I'll make sure they know I'm not coming back again," Nick replied. "I wouldn't even go now but it would hold up the whole production process otherwise."

"I know," she said sitting down on the edge of the bed as he finished unpacking. She told him all about her father finally beating Ron in chess. "Or I should say Saffy helped him beat Ron at chess."

Nick laughed. "It's about time."

"Do you have to leave straightaway?" Julie asked.

"Yeah," Nick said regretfully. "In a few minutes."

Julie squeezed his hand before standing up and walking over to the door.

"Katie! Ashley!" she called out. "Come upstairs please!"

"What?" the girls were clambering up a minute later. "What's the matter Mummy?"

"Nothing's the matter," Julie said picking up Katie. "Daddy's going to have to leave us for the night, but he promised to back tomorrow."

"Daddy!" Ashley said in disappointment. "I don't want you to go!"

"Sweetheart," Nick said kneeling down before her. "I won't be gone long. I promise."

Ashley hugged him. "I hate when you have to leave us Daddy."

"I do too," Nick said hugging her back. "But you can do me a big favour by looking after Mummy while I'm gone."

"Okay Daddy," Ashley agreed. "I will."

"Me too!" Katie chimed in. "I'll look out for Mummy too!"

"What does Mummy have to say about all this?" Nick asked giving his wife his best grin.

"Mummy thinks she can take care of herself," Julie said laughing. "But she appreciates her best girls wanting to help out."

"Now how about a big family hug before I have to leave?" Nick asked.

The two Malfoy girls hugged their father and mother tightly. "We'll miss you, Daddy."

"I'll miss you both too. But I promise I'll be back just as soon as I can." Nick said.

Julie watched them leave the room. "Now I can give you a quick but proper goodbye," she said.

"What did you have in mind, Mrs. Malfoy?" Nick asked as she looped her arms around his neck.

Julie leaned in and teased his lips with hers. "A preview for when you get back," she said softly.

"Too bad we don't have time for more," Nick said wistfully as he grabbed his bag. Julie handed him the old tattered book that was his portkey. "I'll see you soon, love."

"I love you," she said.

"I love you," he managed to repeat before his portkey activated.

Julie watched him disappear before sighing and heading back downstairs.

Later that afternoon when the rain had finally stopped, Julie decided to take the girls for a walk on the beach. Her two daughters were walking ahead of her collecting sea shells as they went. Julie was lost in her thoughts. She wondered if everything was going okay with Nick's single. She hoped that he'd be able to come back sooner than he expected.

"Miss?" a man's voice called out.

Julie turned, wondering if the person was talking to her. "Yes?" she squinted in the sunlight.

"I was just wondering if you had the time," he said walking closer to her. He was carrying a bucket and a fishing rod.

"I think it's about half past four," Julie finally got a close look at him and her knees nearly buckled. It couldn't be... she thought.

He smiled. "Thanks. I misplaced my watch and I haven't gotten around to buying another..." his voice trailed off as he got a good look at her. "I hope you don't think this sounds like a line, but I swear you look so familiar. Have we met before?"

"I... don't think so," Julie said, trying to keep her voice from shaking.

"Ryan Burke," he said setting his bucket down on the sand. He offered her his hand. When she didn't immediately shake it, he laughed. "Don't worry. My hands don't smell like fish. I didn't catch a bloody thing today."

"It's nice to meet you," she murmured. "Uh... I'm Julie... Julie Malfoy."

He grinned. "Are you here on holiday? I'm a local so I don't remember seeing you here before."

"My family has a cottage down the beach," Julie answered, walking so her daughters would stay in sight.

Ryan smiled shyly at her. "I've only been here for a year. Moved here right after finishing medical school. I have a small practise in town."

"You're a doctor?" she asked in surprise. Never during their relationship had he mentioned he wanted to go into medical practises. She warned herself to stay vague and be careful about what she knew and what she didn't."

"Aye," Ryan said with a laugh. "You know how it is, right? You go to university thinking you're going to do one thing with the rest of your life and then changing your mind halfway through...."

"Right," Julie said. "Katie not so far!" she called out.

"Those your little ones?" Ryan asked looking down the beach at the two young girls.

"Yes," she replied softly.

"They're adorable," Ryan said smiling at her. "And they must keep you pretty busy, eh?"

"Always, yes." Julie managed a smile.

Ryan couldn't stop staring at her and when she caught him gazing at her, he frowned.

"I'm sorry," he said sheepishly. "You just remind me of someone."

"Who might that be?" Julie raised an eyebrow- a trait she'd learned from Nick.

"You're going to think this is crazy," Ryan said. "But I don't know who. I just feel a sort of closeness to you. It's silly, I know. We've never met."

Julie didn't respond, only turned to look out at the ocean. She wouldn't give up her life with Nick and her girls for anything, but a small, miniscule part of her thought about how things would be if she HAD indeed wound up with Ryan.

"I've freaked you out, haven't I?" Ryan asked interrupting her thoughts. "That wasn't my intention, Julie. Really."

"No, I'm sorry," Julie said. "I just miss my husband is all."

Ryan nodded, trying to hide his disappointment to find out she was married.

"The good ones are always taken," he said smiling at her. "If you don't mind me saying, your husband is a lucky bloke."

"He says that all the time," Julie said. "But I think I'm the lucky one."

"You said you missed him," Ryan said as they continued to walk. "He's not here with you then?"

"He had to leave for a day- for work." Julie said. "He's in... the entertainment business."

"Actor or musician?" Ryan asked conversationally.

"Sort of... behind the scenes," Julie replied, knowing he would have no idea who Nick really was.

"And what about you?" Ryan asked.

"I teach," Julie replied. "In a grammar school near Guilford."

Katie came running up to them. "Mummy, look at this shell! Isn't it pretty?"

"Its beautiful sweetheart," Julie picked up her youngest daughter.

"Who's that man?" Katie whispered.

"His name is Ryan," Julie said. "This is Katie."

"Very nice to meet you, Katie Malfoy," Ryan said smiling at the little girl. She noticed the fishing rod in his hand.

"Did you catch anything?" Katie asked.

"Not a thing," Ryan said sadly.

"My grandpa says the water here is fished out." Katie replied.

"Your grandpa is right," Ryan said with a laugh. "But I keep going out here hoping that it will change one day."

"My grandpa's really smart but my grandma is more smarter," Katie replied, making both of them laugh.

"That must be why your mum is so smart," Ryan said smiling at Katie.

"She's the smartest," Katie said, leaning her head on her mother's shoulder.

"She may be the slightest bit biased," Julie said laughing.

"Mum here's that thing that stung Caroline!" Ashley's voice floated back to them.

"Don't touch it, Ashley!" Julie called out. "Get back!"

"What is it?" Ryan asked. "Whoa- a man o war... I haven't seen one of these in years!" he poked it with his fishing rod. "It's dead now but they can still sting." he gingerly scooped it up and put it into his bucket. "There now it can't get anyone."

"Thanks mister," Ashley said. "It really hurt Caroline."

"Is that another sister?" Ryan asked.

"No it's our cousin," Ashley answered.

"A big family vacation, eh?" Ryan asked, a wistful expression coming over his handsome features.

"Yes," Julie answered. "My family and some very, very close friends of ours."

"Well technically they'd be family if Uncle Ethan married Maddie," Ashley pointed out pedantically.

"Maybe we could be flower girls," Katie said excitedly.

"You two are getting ahead of yourselves," Julie said. "Ethan and Maddie have barely begun dating."

"They're right up there!" Katie squealed, pointing.

Ryan followed Katie's gaze and saw a young man and woman sitting close on one of the sand dunes.

"Ethan is your brother?" Ryan guessed.

"Yes," Julie answered. "I've got a younger sister as well- she's probably back at the house."

"How do you keep everyone straight?" Ryan asked with a grin.

"It's not easy but we try," Julie smiled.

"Come on Katie," Ashley said taking her sister's hand. "Let's go see Uncle Ethan."

Before Julie could stop them, the two girls sprinted toward Ethan and Maddie. She was alone again with Ryan.

"It's great that you have such a big family," Ryan said conversationally. "I'm an only child."

She almost said "I know," but stopped herself just in time. "It's nice to have a couple of brothers and sisters." she said instead.

"Tell me about it," Ryan joked. "When I was kid if I got in trouble, my parents always knew it was me. There was no one else to blame."

"Once Ethan was born I learned how to pass the blame," Julie said, walking towards her brother. She wasn't sure if he'd remember Ryan but hopefully he wouldn't say anything if he did.

"Hey Jules," Ethan said as she and Ryan approached them. He was holding Katie in his lap. He looked over at Ryan.

"Hi," Ryan said when Julie didn't introduce them. He held out his hand. "Ryan Burke."

Ethan looked blankly at him then at his sister who shook her head a bit frantically. "Hi," he said finally. "Ethan Potter."

"Nice to meet you, Ethan," Ryan said.

"And this is my...," Ethan said looking at Maddie. "Well, she's..."

"I'm his Maddie," Maddie said with a laugh.

"Hello his Maddie," Ryan grinned.

"Uncle Ethan," Ashley said. "Ryan took care of that thing that stung Caroline!'"

"Well that's good," Ethan said. "I'd be upset if anything happened to anyone else because of it." he looked at Ryan. "How often do those things wind up here?"

"Not too often," Ryan replied. He looked over at Julie whose hair was blowing in the breeze. He still couldn't put his finger on why he hadn't just walked away when she'd told him the time. That was all he'd wanted. There was something so familiar about this woman.

"My niece is only four and she's curious about everything," Maddie said, peering into the bucket. "Plus she loves anything blue."

"She couldn't resist, eh?" Ryan asked. "If you'd like, I could stop by and check on her."

"She's okay," Julie replied. "Our friend Lizzy works in medicine and she took care of it."

"Are you a medi--," Katie said, but Ethan put his hand over her mouth.

"Sorry, I thought I saw a bee and I thought it might get in your throat," Ethan said.

"That wasn't very nice," Katie said scowling at him.

"Would you rather be stung in your mouth?" Ethan asked her.

"No," Katie admitted.

Ethan stood up. "Jules? Could I have a quick word?"

"Sure," she looked at Ryan. "We'll be right back."

Ethan took his sister aside. "Is that who I think it is?" he asked her point blank.

"Yes," she replied quietly. "He asked me for the time and then he started talking to me and the girls."

"What are the odds of him ending up here of all places?" Ethan asked. He looked over to where Ryan was talking with Katie and Ashley. "I don't remember much about him, but I remember I used to ask him to play football with me and he did every single time."

"He was fine until I told him about us, and about the Wizarding World." Julie replied. "He basically told me he never wanted to see me again and that witchcraft was the devil's work... and then Dad had to memory charm him."

Ethan just shook his head. "It was probably quite a shock for him to hear about."

"I'm sure it was," Julie said. "But... it's just so strange to see him now acting like he did when we first started dating. This is how I best remember him being."

"You okay?" Ethan asked her.

"I'm fine," Julie assured him. "I just miss Nick, even though he's only been gone a few hours."

"Mummy!" Katie called out excitedly. Both Julie and Ethan turned to see Katie getting a piggy-back ride from Ryan. "Can we invite Dr. Ryan to dinner?"

"Uh..." Julie seemed at a loss for words. "We'd have to talk to your grandma and grandpa sweetheart."

"Please!" Katie begged. "He at least has to show Caroline that he took care of that soldier fish thing."

"We'll talk to them when we get back," Julie said firmly. "Uh... it shouldn't be a big deal though. I can ring you if you'd give me your number?"

"I don't want to impose," Ryan said setting Katie back down.

Maddie who had no idea who this man really was, waved her hand dismissively. "The more the merrier!"

"I guess it's unanimous," Julie said. "We usually eat about seven if that's okay."

"That's really nice of you," Ryan said smiling at her. "You are saving me from some leftover curry."

"Well... I guess we'll see you about seven then," Julie said. "I should really get the girls inside- they've had enough sun today."

"Sure," Ryan said. "It was really nice to meet all of you."

He waved at them before taking his fishing rod and bucket and walking back down the sand dune.

"Dad is going to go ballistic, Jules," Ethan said in a hushed tone.

"I know," Julie sighed.

"Why would Grandpa go ballistic?" Ashley asked.

"I said that Dad is fantastic," Ethan lied. "Don't you think your Grandpa is fantastic?"

"Of course he is fantastic," Katie replied as Maddie picked her up and swung her around.

"What about Uncle Ron?" Ethan whispered to Julie, making sure both Katie and Ashley were out of earshot. "You know how he is. He's going to say something."

"We'll talk to them right now," Julie whispered back. "We'll make it through the night, somehow."

When they finally made it back to the house, Julie was relieved to see her parents sitting on the porch swing.

"Why don't you girls go tell Caroline about what happened?" she asked her daughters hoping that she'd be the one to break the news to her parents about their dinner guest.

"Okay Mummy," the two girls ran inside.

"Can I have a quick word?" Julie asked her parents.

"Sure," Hermione said. "What's on your mind?"

"Well..." Julie sat down on the rail. "Do you guys remember that guy I dated right before we went to Hillsdale and I met Nick?"

"Ryan Burke?" Hermione asked, pulling a confused face.

Julie sighed. "He lives right here in Brighton. Right on this beach as a matter of fact."

Harry tensed up. "You saw him?"

Julie let out a weak laugh. "He saw me. Asked me the time and then we started talking. One thing led to another and Katie invited him over for dinner."

"You're joking, right?" Harry asked his daughter.

"I rather wish I was," Julie answered. "And I tried to say no but then Maddie joined in- they don't know who he is so I couldn't blame them."

"I don't want him in this house," Harry said simply.

"Harry--" Hermione said putting a hand on his arm, but her husband shrugged it off.

"Dad we can't be rude," Julie said. "He has no idea who I am all right? And we can just have the kids eat earlier and that way we don’t have to worry about them saying anything about the Wizarding World."

"Julie," Hermione said looking at her daughter. "How are you, sweetheart? I know this can't be easy for you."

Julie shrugged. "The whole time I was talking with him I couldn't stop thinking about Nick."

Hermione smiled. "Julie's right, Harry. It's just one night."

Harry didn't look convinced. "What if he remembers?"

"How could he?" Hermione asked. "You memory charmed him. Yours are pretty foolproof, right?"

"Always have been," Harry replied. "I don't know- I just don't feel right about it."

"It's one night," Hermione said quietly. "And he was always a nice young man, until..."

"Until that," Julie finished.

"Perhaps we can get Ron to eat with the kids?" Hermione asked only half-joking. "He's the one we're going to have to worry about."

"Thank goodness Cho isn't here," Harry said.

Hermione laughed and got to her feet. "I'm going to go and magic proof the house. Make sure there aren't any stray wands lying around and those chess pieces are cleaned up."

"Thanks you guys," Julie said. "This will be awkward but I think we'll be okay as long as no one talks about magic."

"In that case, Ron should definitely eat with the kids," Hermione said before disappearing inside.

Harry looked at his daughter. "I'm not pleased about this Jules..."

"I know," Julie said. "But he is just as nice as he was before. I was telling Ethan before the way he was with me and the girls, it was just like how he used to be when we started dating."

"But still," Harry replied. "I'm keeping my wand handy."

Julie smiled and gave her father a hug. "Thank you Daddy."

Harry kissed the top of her head. "At least this time I won't find you crying in your room."

"No," Julie said with a laugh. "You won't."

"Are you going to tell Nick?" Harry asked.

"I didn't think I should hide it from him," Julie replied. "Do you think I shouldn't?"

Harry shook his head. "When you hide things they have a way of coming back to bite you in the arse. When your Mum and I first got together, we talked about previous... partners and I didn't tell her about your aunt Cho and me. When she found out later... let's just say it almost ruined the relationship between her and me and her and Cho."

"You slept with Aunt Cho?" Julie asked incredulously. "I knew you dated, but I never knew you'd...Dad!"

"It was one time when we were about fifteen," Harry explained. "We decided to have our first times with each other because we knew at least then it'd be someone that actually mattered." he sat back. "I never in a million years at that point thought I would ever meet someone like your mum Jules. I didn't think I'd ever have the chance to live this sort of life."

Julie knew all too well about her father's childhood and how he'd spent the majority of his Hogwarts years preparing to fight Voldemort.

"You have us, Dad," Julie said hugging him again.

"I'm glad for that every day," Harry said.

Julie smiled. "Aunt Cho...really?"

Harry laughed. "Really."

"It just sounds so strange," Julie explained. "It would be like Mum being in love with Uncle Ron."

Harry made a face. "Bad visual sweetheart."

Julie scrunched up her nose. "Very bad visual. But I don't know how I'm going to be able to look at Aunt Cho without thinking 'you slept with my dad'. Does Chiaki know?"

"I'm sure she does," Harry replied. "But it shouldn't affect anyone Jules. It was a long, long time ago."

"It won't," Julie said. "But it's still...strange."

Harry chuckled. "Like having dinner with an ex boyfriend who's been memory charmed to not remember them but is drawn to his ex girlfriend?"

"Exactly like that," Julie laughed.

"Well let's go in and get something put together for dinner," Harry said. "You can help your mother de- magic the household."

"And talk to her more about this Aunt Cho thing," Julie whispered. When she saw the look on her father's face, she laughed. "Only kidding."

Harry poked his daughter's side. "You're not too old to be tickled Jules."

"Yes I am," Julie said stepping back.

"Especially not by your husband," Harry grinned. "Might have to have a word with him when he comes back."

"Mum hates to be tickled too," Julie pointed out. "But that certainly doesn't stop you."

"She'd never let on but she actually likes it." Harry replied.

"Okay," Julie said shaking her head. "You've already grossed me out with this Cho stuff...don't talk about S-E-X with Mum too."

Harry laughed. "Touché love."

*** *** ***

"That was a really great dinner, Mr. Potter," Ryan said politely. So far, the dinner was uneventful mostly because Ron had volunteered to take the kids out to eat. He'd not wanted to spend anytime with the bloke who in his words "broke his goddaughter's heart".

"You're welcome," Harry said forcing a smile. "We're...we're really glad you could come, Dr. Burke."

"Thank you," Ryan said with a smile. "It was nice of Katie to invite me." he laughed.

"You saved my husband from having to hunt down that Man O War," Allison said. "Caroline asked him to take care of it for her."

"I've seen a few of them from time to time, but more out there in the ocean. They don't wash ashore all too often." Ryan replied.

"That's good to hear," Jon remarked. "Caroline's so curious. She's just like Maddie. When she was Caroline's age, she had a ...OW!"

"Sorry," Allison said with a laugh. "Was that your leg, love?"

"Yes," Jon said through clenched teeth. "She had a pet lizard, as I was going to say. Named it Dolly."

Ryan laughed. "A pet lizard named Dolly?"

Maddie laughed. "What can I say, I was inventive."

"I can remember this one biology class I had at University," Ryan said. "My lab partner and I had to dissect a frog, but she wouldn't let me do it. She said it was completely..."

"Barbaric," Julie finished without thinking. She'd been his lab partner for that class.

Ryan looked at her. "How did you know that?" he asked, laughing.

"I-I just know how she must have felt," Julie said quickly.

"I must be getting old or something but I don't remember much about her," Ryan said thoughtfully. "I just remember that she and I used to have a really good time in class."

"I'm sure you did," Ethan said, wanting to steer the conversation away. "Who wants pie?"

"And since my dad's not here everyone can have pie," Maddie joked.

"So," Hermione said as Ethan and Maddie volunteered to get dessert for everyone. "Dr. Burke, are you married?"

"Nope," Ryan shook his head. "Just haven't found the right woman."

Hermione nodded. "I'm sure your practise keeps you busy."

"Aye, especially since there's a minority of medical practitioners here in this area." He nodded.

"Maybe we should settle here," Lizzy said to her husband. "I could open my own practise."

"What hospital do you work at now?" Ryan asked.

"A... general one in London," Lizzy answered.

Ryan nodded. He opened his mouth to say something else, but Maddie and Ethan came back into the dining room carrying trays.

"Sorry Dad," Ethan said. "No pumpkin pie. You'll have to make do with blueberry."

"As long as your mother didn't make it..." Harry began.

"How do you feel about sleeping on the sofa?" Hermione asked.

"I'd eat it even if your mother made it," Harry continued.

"That might be because we have two doctors here, right Uncle Harry?" Jon joked.

"Exactly," Harry laughed.

Ryan's mobile phone rang and he excused himself to take the call. "I'll just be a moment."

"This isn't going too badly," Harry whispered when Ryan had left the room

"He's pretty cool," Jon admitted.

Julie shook her head. "It's so odd to talk about things he and I did like that lab only he doesn't remember it was ME."

"I know this can't be easy on you, Jules," Ethan said putting an arm around his sister.

"I'm fine," Julie replied. "Really- I'm fine."

Ryan walked back into the room. "I'm sorry. I'm going to have to go. One of my patients has gone into labour."

Somewhat relieved, Julie stood up. "I'll walk you out," she said politely.

Ryan smiled. "Thanks." He looked over at Harry and Hermione. "Thank you again for having me. I hope I'll see more of you and your family while you're here."

"I'm sure we'll see you around," Harry smiled but his tone was noncommittal.

Julie stood out on the porch with Ryan.

"You have a really great family," he said to her. "I can't thank you enough for inviting me."

"We're glad you could make it," Julie said as he pulled on a light jacket. "It's been nice... getting to know you."

"You want to hear something crazy?" he asked her. "I feel as if I've known you all my life. And your family. I don't why it just all felt so familiar."

"Sometimes people just click with others that way," Julie said quietly.

"Sometimes you do," Ryan said smiling at her. "I guess this is goodbye then?"

"I'm sure we'll see you around the beach this week," Julie said.

"I hope so," Ryan said. "And please give my best to Katie and Ashley. I'm sorry I missed them."

"I will. Good luck with your patient." Julie replied.

"Good night, Jewel," Ryan said before walking down the steps. Julie stared after him. He was the only one who used to call her that.

Thoughts of seeing Ryan again made her toss and turn most of the night and she was finally in a light sleep around half past three when a light kiss on her forehead made her eyes pop open.

"I didn't want to wake you," Nick whispered pushing a strand of hair off her face.

"You're back already?" Julie asked, smiling.

"Yes," he said as she sat up in bed. "You know how producers are...they make everything seem much more serious than it actually is."

She reached for him and hugged him tightly. "I don't care as long as you're back." she buried her face in his shoulder.

He hugged her back. "Don't get me wrong, I like this, but I was only gone for a few hours."

"It felt longer to me," she murmured, giving him a kiss.

"Me too," he said kissing her back. "So, what did I miss around here?"

"Funny you should ask," Julie sat back as he got himself into his pyjama trousers. "Do you uh... remember that guy Ryan I dated before you? I told you about him in that coffee shop?"

"That bastard who ran out on you when you told him the truth?" Nick asked. "Why the hell are we talking about him?"

"He lives here in Brighton," Julie answered. "We ran into him on the beach today and our daughters took a bit of a liking to him."

Nick froze. "He...what?"

"He asked me the time," Julie said. "He didn't remember who I was or anything."

"You spoke with him?" Nick asked her. "Why?"

"I couldn't refuse to give him the time," Julie answered, not understanding why he seemed to be getting upset.

"You should have given him the time and just had done with it," Nick said trying to keep his temper. "Jesus, Julie. Do you remember what that bastard did to you?"

"Yes I remember Nick," Julie said sharply. "But I also know how to forgive and forget- or have you forgotten what you said to me the last day at Hillsdale?"

"You've got to be kidding me!" he exclaimed. "How many years ago was that?"

"What Ryan did to me was even longer ago," Julie said, trying not to get angry with him. "Look Nick, I'm being up front here with you. I don't like keeping secrets from my husband. Katie invited Ryan here for dinner and he came. We all had a nice time and he left when he got a call from one of his patients."

Nick still didn't seem convinced.

"Nick," Julie reached for his hands. "If you're worried about me having feelings for him don't. Nothing, absolutely nothing could possibly tempt me away from what I have here with you. I love you."

"I know," Nick said quietly, "But it's just..."

"Just what?" Julie asked, leaning in so her forehead was touching his.

"Just that I love you," Nick said deciding not to confess how insecure this made him feel.

"I love you," Julie said. "When it comes to you and the girls, you're my whole life. I can't imagine being with anyone else." she pushed his blond hair out of his eyes- he still wore it rather longish after all these years. "You believe me right?"

"Yes," he said softly.

She could see the self doubt in his eyes and she was tired but she knew he needed to be reassured. Julie leaned in and kissed him deeply, pushing him back onto his pillow.

Nick pushed away the anger and insecurity he'd been feeling as he kissed his wife back.

Relief flooded through her as Nick responded to the touch of her lips.

"Julie," he whispered. "Love you so much."

"Love you too Nick," she said, running her hands through her hair. "You and only you."

It was all that Nick needed to hear as he hungrily claimed her lips.

Within moments, they'd pulled their pyjamas off and were lying under the sheets naked. "Show me Nick," Julie hissed through clenched teeth as his lips and tongue teased her body.

He skimmed his hands down her back, pulling her close.

"As close as you can Nick," Julie wanted to bite into him, she was that hungry to be with him.

His lips curved into a smile. There was a sharp intake of breath from Julie as he slid into her.

Her back arched as one hand slid into his hair, the other clutching onto the bed sheets. "Yes," she murmured, her eyes closed and head falling back on the pillows.

He didn't know if it was the whole thing with Ryan and him wanting to show her that he was the only man in her life, but he couldn't get enough of his wife tonight.

Julie wanted to curse herself for not putting a silencing charm on the room and she buried her face in his shoulder to muffle her cry.

Nick couldn't help the growl that escaped his throat as Julie hooked her legs around him and pulled him in deeper.

"That's it," she panted, a bead of sweat running down her face. "Oh God Nick..."

"Julie," he breathed.

"I know," she cupped his face in her hands and kissed him. "I know Nick..."

"I didn't mean to get so angry," he said quietly. "I just love you more than anything. You and the girls."

"We love you too," Julie said. "So much Nick. We all missed you so much today. You're all I could think about."

"Really?" he asked hating himself for feeling so insecure. They had a great marriage, two healthy and happy daughters. There was no reason to have doubts.

"Really," Julie smiled at him as she pushed his hair out of his eyes. "You were on my mind the whole time you were gone."

"I couldn't wait to get back to you," Nick said. "Even though it was late when we finally finished up in the studio. I just wanted to be back here with you; with my family."

"The girls will be so surprised to see you," Julie snuggled next to him. "They love spending time with you Nick."

"And their mother?" Nick teased, nuzzling her neck. "Does she love spending time with me, too?"

"Their mother loves spending time with you," Julie laughed as he pressed small kisses to her skin.

"That's good to know," Nick said smiling at her. "Very, very good to know."

"Their mother also loves doing what we just did," Julie said softly. "Very, very much loves doing that."

Nick laughed. If he wasn't so bloody exhausted from what they'd just did, he'd suggest doing it again.

"We'll have to pick this up tomorrow," Julie said, her eyes closing. "Well more like later today, if you get my meaning."

"I do," Nick said wrapping an arm around her waist as they both drifted off to sleep.

*** *** ***

Harry woke the following morning and reached for his wife as he was accustomed to doing nearly every morning throughout their marriage. But it seemed Hermione had other ideas for her side of the bed was empty, the sheets and pillow cool to the touch.

"Hermione?" Harry asked, squinting. He got up and put his glasses and a jumper on over his pyjama trousers and headed out into the kitchen.

Through the kitchen window, he spotted his wife walking down the beach clad only in her cotton pyjamas. It was quite cloudy and breezy and Harry wondered why on earth she'd decided to get up so early. He grabbed his wife's dressing gown and his own jacket before walking out onto the cool, morning air.

Hermione was standing looking out onto the ocean when she felt a hand on her shoulder.

"Morning," Harry said, holding out her robe.

"Thanks," she said smiling at him. "It was much warmer when I first came out here."

"What are you doing out here to begin with?" he asked, slipping his arms around her.

"I couldn't sleep," she replied softly.

"How come?" he asked, kissing the side of her neck.

She laughed. "I don't know. When I was little and my parents would take me out by the ocean, I used to sneak out and just sit on the shore and watch as the waves came crashing in. I'd sit out there for what seemed like hours just watching...wondering what was out there."

"Fish," Harry said in a smartass tone. "And water."

Hermione elbowed him hard in the ribs. "You'll be out there too if you keep that up."

Harry laughed. "I'd like to see you try."

"I could if I had my wand," Hermione said shrugging out of his embrace.

Harry snickered. "As if a lowly wand could stop me," he grinned and pretended to boast.

"That and a knee in the groin," Hermione said walking away from him.

"Hermione," Harry laughed, grabbing her hand. "You know you can't walk away from me angry."

"Yes I can," Hermione said firmly, trying to pull away from him. "Harry!"

Harry pulled her close and pressed his lips to hers gently. "Yes?" he asked with a grin when they pulled apart a few minutes later.

"You can be such a bastard!" she said laughing.

"And you love me for it," Harry said devilishly.

"Most of the time," she said coyly.

"What?" Harry pretended to be wounded.

"I love you all the time," she explained. "You know that, but you know how you feel when you're up on your broom and you're all alone up there in the sky and it's so quiet and calm? That's how I felt this morning. That's how I felt when I was little."

"Just gives you time to clear your head aye?" Harry asked.

"Yes," she said softly. "I imagine it's how Saffy feels when she flies, too. Though she usually goes so bloody fast."

Harry chuckled. "She's fearless like me that way."

"She gives me a fright every time she does it," Hermione said. "Just like you."

Harry laughed. "Maybe you need to come with me more."

Hermione smiled. "Do you remember how you took me up right after that stuff with Gordon?"

"Of course I do," Harry replied. "And you liked it."

She took his hand as they walked together down the beach. "That was because you went slow and you took care of me."

"I'll always take care of you," Harry said, squeezing her fingers.

"And I'll always take care of you," she said smiling at him.

Harry gave her a kiss. "You know sometimes it feels like yesterday that I saw you for the first time in that parking lot at Hillsdale." he said.

"I can't even remember what life was like without you in it," she admitted.

"I don't like to think what life was like without you in it." Harry replied, letting go of her hand to put his arm around her shoulders.

"You mean you're not daydreaming about Isabella Marconi?" she teased.

Harry made a face. "I should hope you're kidding."

She smiled before standing on her tiptoes and putting her hand on the back of his neck. Pulling him to her, she kissed him passionately.

"That," she said breathlessly. "Was just in case you were."

"Hmm..." Harry pretended to think. "What does she look like again? Who is this person I'm supposed to be daydreaming of?"

"Me," she said kissing him again.

"Right," Harry said. "My gorgeous, intelligent, powerful and loving wife."

"Good answer," she said.

"Do I get a prize?" Harry asked smugly.

"What do you think?" she asked him with a wink.

"I think I do," Harry replied. "But that I'll have to wait until we get into the shower to get it."

"What did you have in mind?" she asked him. He whispered something in her ear and Hermione grinned. "We haven't done that in years."

"Exactly," Harry said rather licentiously.

"Let's go back to the house," Hermione said eagerly tugging at his arm.

"As you wish love," Harry scooped her up in his arms, honeymoon style.

30. Chapter 30

Authors' note: Thanks for the reviews as always. We might have a special treat for you guys if you are fans of the game Sims 2. We both are really into that and Heaven has actually created a group of Sims based on the Hillsdale HP crew. If you're interested in this, please let us know in your review.

As always, please let us know what you think by leaving us a word or two at the end! We appreciate all reviews and flames are used to melt sporks ;)

It seemed as if everyone decided to sleep in or occupy their morning in other ways which explained why no one came down for breakfast until after ten. Ron was the first one down and he was quite disappointed to find that there was no breakfast waiting for him. He grumbled as he prepared French toast and bacon for everyone.

"Grandpa!" Caroline said as she came into the kitchen followed by Jon, Katie and Ashley. "Something smells good!"

"Aye," Ron replied. "Your grandpa not only eats breakfast, he can make it too."

Caroline laughed and sat down at the table with Katie and Ashley.

"You girls want some orange juice?" Jon asked.

"I'd love some Daddy," Caroline replied.

"Thank you Uncle Jon," Ashley said politely.

"Daddy comes home today," Katie said excitedly to her older sister.

"He might come home today," Ashley corrected.

"He promised he'd come back today," Katie said, her face falling.

Ashley nodded. "I'm sure he'll try, Katie."

"Of course he will," Jon said handing the girls glasses of juice.

"I hope so," Katie said. "Mummy missed him more than we did."

"We can tell him all about how Dr. Ryan killed that soldier fish," Caroline said. She patted her father's arm. "I know you wanted to get him for me, Daddy."

"I would have baby if the good doctor hadn't," Jon kissed the top of her head.

Caroline smiled adoringly at him.

"Uncle Ron, can we go and wake Mummy up?" Katie asked.

"You could if you wanted but I'm sure she'll be down soon," Ron replied, bringing the French toast over to the table. "Besides, if you don't eat this now, I might and then there'll be none left."

"Or I might," a voice said from the doorway.

"DADDY!" Katie said scrambling to her feet.

"Hey sweetheart," Nick grinned, scooping his youngest into his arms. Ashley wasn't far behind and nearly knocked him off his feet.

"We missed you so much!" Ashley gushed. "We have loads to tell you!"

"Oh you do?" Nick asked hugging them both. "Daddy missed his girls as well."

Julie laughed as she watched Ashley lead Nick over to the table.

"Hi Uncle Nick," Caroline said grinning at him over her plate.

"Hey Caroline," Nick said, giving her a hug. "How is your leg?"

"Much better," Caroline replied.

"Guess what, Daddy?" Katie asked. "We met this really cool doctor and he took care of the soldier fish. The very same one that stung Caroline."

"That's what your mum told me," Nick said as Katie perched on his lap to eat her breakfast.

"Mummy?" Katie asked. "Can we go and see Dr. Ryan again today? Since we didn't get to stay for dinner?"

"I'm sure he's busy during the day sweetheart," Julie joined them. "Only if you see him on the beach and he's not already busy all right?" she shared a private smile with Nick.

Katie nodded and turned her attention back to her father. "You're not going to leave again, are you Daddy?"

"Nope," Nick shook his head. "I'm back for the rest of the holiday. I told them I wasn't leaving you guys again."

"Yay!" Katie said clapping her hands together. "You can watch us build the sandcastles again."

"If Caroline's leg is okay," Julie interjected.

"It feels better," Caroline nodded. "And Saffron saved my shells that I found!"

"We're still going to beat you," Ashley teased.

"No way," Caroline declared spiritedly. "Right Grandpa? We'll make the best sandcastle ever!"

"Absolutely," Ron said nodding. "I had some more ideas. You, Saffy and I are going to have to talk this over before we head out to the beach."

"We'll have a game plan too with Grandpa Harry," Ashley said competitively. "Our castle will be the best."

"I hope your Grandpa makes better castles than he plays chess," Ron said. He saw Ashley start to say something, but he shook his head. "Yes, yes. He beat me once, but that was with the help of his daughter who might I add is on my team?"

"But that's different," Ashley objected. "Grandpa Harry says he's more creative than you are."

Ron's mouth dropped. "Harry James Potter thinks he's more creative than me?"

Julie laughed. "Sorry Uncle Ron," she giggled. "I think he is too."

Caroline got out of her chair and walked around the table to her grandfather. "I think you're very creative, Grandpa."

"Thank you love," Ron said, giving her a hug. "At least someone appreciates me."

From over her grandfather's shoulder, Caroline looked at her father. "Daddy, what's creative mean?"

Jon laughed. "It means you have lots of ideas about how to do things."

"Oh," Caroline said smiling at Ron. "You ARE creative, Grandpa."

Ron nodded. "I quite agree."

*** *** ***

Around five the following morning, Ethan woke up to hear a rather loud tapping on his window. He groaned, thinking it was an owl calling him back to training but instead when he looked outside he saw that it had started to rain quite heavily.

With a grin, he pulled a jumper out of his drawers and slipped it on over his t shirt he always wore to bed then brushed his teeth and headed towards the room where Maddie was sleeping.

He opened the door and saw Maddie fast asleep, curled up in her blankets. Ethan gently touched her shoulder.

"Mads," he said softly.

"Hmmm," she murmured.

"Wake up Maddie," Ethan whispered. "It's raining out."

"What?" she asked staring sleepily up at him. "Raining?"

"Yeah," he grinned. "Thought you might want to go... twirling." his eyes twinkled.

"Twirling?" she asked rubbing her eyes. "I thought you didn't want to call it that."

He laughed softly. "Had to get your attention somehow."

"I should probably get a jumper," she said pulling her covers back. "Is it cold out?"

"Probably a bit," Ethan answered. "And go brush your teeth will you?" he grinned as she tossed a pillow at him.

"It's not as if I'm going to kiss anyone," she teased.

His eyebrows rose. "Well if that's the case then I'm going back to bed. I'm not ashamed to admit I have ulterior motives here."

"Relax, Romeo," Maddie said disappearing into her bathroom. "I'm brushing my teeth."

Ethan waited for her in the hall. "Ready?" he whispered, not wanting anyone to wake up and find them.

"I have a confession to make," she said softly as they walked downstairs. "I've never gone and twirled in the rain."

"Really," Ethan was surprised. "I thought you were an expert."

"In snow," she pointed out. "Never in rain. So what about you, do you 'spin' in the rain on a regular basis or is this a first for you as well?"

"I was never crazy enough to do either until I fell for Completely Mad Maddie," he teased her.

She laughed and pushed him forward. They opened the door and stood out on the porch for a few moments. "So...how do we do this? On the beach? Out here on the porch?" she asked him.

"I imagine this is just like spinning in the snow only a little more wet," Ethan replied. "And I'm letting you do the guiding here."

She smiled and took his hand. "Let's go out on the beach then."

"Sounds good to me," Ethan said. They laughed as they dodged through the heavy raindrops and onto the wet sand.

Maddie giggled as Ethan pulled her close and they began to slow dance.

"You sure you haven't been practising without me?" she asked raising an eyebrow at him.

"I'm a natural talent remember?" he said boastfully.

Ethan dipped her low and her hair grazed the sand. "It's all coming back to me now."

"Good," he replied, holding her close. "Do you remember this?" he asked, picking her up at the waist and spinning her around.

Maddie laughed happily as he spun her around. "Yes. I remember this."

"Minus the falling part of course," Ethan laughed too as he spun them a bit faster. She let her head fall back and her wet hair streamed behind her like a bright banner.

Maddie again marvelled at the fact that she and Ethan were here---in the same place both emotionally and physically. Never in her wildest dreams did she think that something like this would happen.

"There," Ethan said, setting her down. "I didn't topple us over this time."

"You're getting better," she said looking at him. "I love you, Ethan. Very, very much."

"I love you too," Ethan tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. "More than I thought I could love any girl."

Maddie beamed at him. "Really?"

"Really," he leaned in and kissed the tip of her nose.

Her teeth began to chatter from the cold rain. "D-do you want to go back inside?"

He chuckled. "Sure," he said putting his arm over her shoulders.

They walked back up the beach toward the house.

"Maybe next time we can twirl in the sunlight," she joked. "Or the moonlight."

"Or both," Ethan grabbed the blanket from the back of the chaise and wrapped it around her, casting a warming charm on it at the same time. "How's that for a little wandless magic?" he asked.

"I didn't know you could do that," Maddie said in surprise. "I knew your father could, but..."

"I've been taking special training courses," he replied, pulling a blanket over his own shoulders. "Plus I have a great mentor..."

"Yes you do," Maddie said. She knew how much Ethan idolised his father. "He's really proud of you, too."

"What about you?" Ethan traced a water droplet down her cheek.

"I'm very proud of you," she replied softly. "You know that."

He smiled at her before sitting on the chaise and pulling her into his lap. "I'm proud of you too, with this whole Seer thing."

She blushed. "I'm not even sure what it all means."

"We'll get you sorted out soon," Ethan shifted and wrapped his arms around her.

"I can't wait to talk to my Grandpa Lovegood about this," she said. "And those people at the Department of Mysteries."

"According to my Mum they haven't had a true Seer working there for a long time now," Ethan kissed the side of her head. "I'm sure it'll be interesting for them to have you around."

"To say the least," Maddie said relaxing against him.

They sat in silence for a few moments, just enjoying the sound of the rain and the peace of the early morning. "It's funny- a year ago right now I was just meeting Bree," Ethan said. "And at that point I still hadn't thought of you this way and now look at us."

"I know," Maddie whispered. "Completely besotted with each other. Who'd have thought?"

They smiled at each other and Ethan leaned in and kissed her. "You apparently, when you were four." he whispered before cupping her face in his hands and kissing her again.

As he deepened the kiss, Maddie wondered how it was possible for one kiss from the man you loved to make you lose any and all coherent thoughts. She, of course, didn't have any one to compare his kisses to, but he was really, really great at it.

She shifted in his arms and he burrowed his hands into her wet hair, liking how the strands slid through his fingers. Ethan had been telling her the truth when he'd said he didn't know he could love anyone else like this- he didn't know how things just managed to click for him and Maddie but they had.

"Ethan," Maddie whispered when they finally broke apart. "I could get used to this."

"I could too," he rubbed his thumb along her swollen lower lip. "You make me happy Mads. When training got tough over these past few months I'd pull out one of your letters." he grinned charmingly at her. "That always helped a lot. Now though..."

"Now what?" she asked smiling back at him.

"I don't think a simple letter will do. Not after this," he rested his forehead on hers, his hands still running through her hair.

"We'll get to see each other more often," Maddie said softly. "You still have training, but we'll get to see each other more than once every five months..."

"Especially since your mum and dad have moved back to England," Ethan agreed, stroking her cheek.

"Mum's really excited about taking things over from Grandpa," Maddie said enjoying how soft and safe his touch was.

"I bet she is," Ethan said. "Your mum's very talented when it comes to writing."

"She really is amazing," Maddie said. "She can just sit down and write. It just seems to come so easily for her."

Ethan gave her a little kiss. "Looks as if a career is coming just as easily for you." he replied.

Maddie shrugged. "I don't know. I still have so many questions."

"It's just a shame that so many people think Seers are just glorified fortune tellers." Ethan replied. "Makes it more difficult for people to actually believe in them."

"What do you think?" Maddie asked him; desperately wanting to know what he thought about all of this. "About Seers, I mean. Honestly, Ethan. Don't tell me what you think I want to hear."

He kept her close but his eyes averted down. "I'm not sure what I believe yet Mads," he replied softly. "Don't get me wrong- I don't think you're making any of this up. I guess I'm just a little sceptical."

Maddie nodded and put her hand on his face so he would look at her. "It's okay, Ethan. I want you to be honest with me. That's very important to me."

"I think once anyone gets to know you they'd realise you're not the type to make something like this up." Ethan smiled at her. "I believe you though."

"And you love me," Maddie said happily, resting her head on his shoulder. "That's good enough for me."

"I do love you," Ethan grinned.

"Say it again," Maddie said closing her eyes.

"I love you Maddie," Ethan said softly.

"I love you," she whispered right before she drifted off to sleep.

Ethan kissed her forehead before pulling the blankets back up over her shoulders. Their clothes were still damp from the rain but the charm he'd put on the blankets would keep them both warm. It wasn't long after that Ethan felt his own eyes closing and he fell into a deep sleep.

*** *** ***

The early morning rain gave way to a beautiful, sunny day in the afternoon. Everyone pretty much went to the beach. Maddie and Ethan went out for a ride on Ron's boat with Drew and Darla. The others were either getting some sun or enjoying the water, except of course for the six people diligently working on sand castles.

"These are some really awesome shells, Caroline," Saffron said as she helped Ron mould some sand.

"Thanks Saffy," Caroline said proudly. "I think they're so pretty."

"We deserve to win," Saffy said winking at the younger girl. "After how you got hurt like you did. That was very brave of you."

"I love the beach," Caroline answered. "I just don't like that soldier fish. But Grandpa won't let another one get me, will you Grandpa?"

Ron nodded. "Of course not. No one's going to hurt my sweet girl."

Caroline grinned as she arranged some of her shells along the top.

"Theirs looks really nice Grandpa," Katie said with a worried glance. "What if we lose? I don't want to clean up after everyone."

"Don't worry about them," Harry said smiling reassuringly at her. "Just pretend like they're not even over there. And I think ours looks amazing."

"Okay," Katie said uncertainly. "I really want some chocolate cake from that bakery."

"If we lose," Harry began.

"Grandpa!" Ashley interrupted.

"Shh," Harry said quickly. "If we lose, I promise that I will take you girls to the bakery and you can get all the chocolate cake you want."

Ashley and Katie grinned. "Okay," they both said happily.

Allison and Jon walked over to check on their daughter. Jon was carrying baby Emma who was wearing an adorable pink bathing suit and matching hat.

"Caroline?" Allison said kneeling down in front of her daughter. "Your cheeks are looking red. Will you put on your hat so you don't get sunburned?"

"Okay Mummy," Caroline agreed, smiling happily at her mother.

"This looks brilliant, Dad!" Jon said looking down at the castle. "Merlin's beard! You even did the lake!"

"Shh!" Ron said. "I don't want Harry to hear!"

"Sorry," Jon said sheepishly.

"It is pretty great, isn't it?" Saffron asked moving back so she could get a look at it.

"How do you like my shells, Daddy?" Caroline asked.

"Those are fantastic sweetheart," Jon replied. "You did a great job of picking them out."

"They're beautiful," Allison agreed smiling at her daughter whose leg was still bandaged from her wound.

"It's too bad little Emma isn't old enough to help out," Ron said looking up at his youngest granddaughter. "I'm sure she'd be down here with us if she could."

"Someday," Jon grinned at his baby who gave him a gummy smile in return.

Hermione and Luna walked down the beach to join them and stood in front of the two teams.

"You lot have five minutes," Luna announced. "And then the judging will begin."

"We're almost done," Harry said.

"I hate to say this," Nick whispered to Julie. "But I think our little girls and their grandpa are going to be doing a lot of cleaning up this holiday."

"I don't know," Julie whispered back. "I think my mum and Luna might call it a draw just to keep any feelings from being hurt."

"It's too bad we don't have an impartial judge," Nick said with a laugh.

Katie looked over her shoulder and saw Dr. Ryan Burke approaching them. "Mummy! Look! It's Dr. Ryan!"

Julie turned to look and she saw her husband stiffen. "Nick," she said softly. "Don't worry."

"Hello, Katie and Ashley," Ryan said warmly. "Mr. Potter. It's great to see you again."

"You too," Harry smiled and dusted his hand off before shaking Ryan's.

"Beautiful day, isn't it?" Ryan asked. "After such a horrible start."

"Hello, Ryan," Julie said politely.

"Jewel," he said without thinking. He hadn't even realised what he'd called her, but Nick had. He didn't know the significance of it, of course, but he saw his wife flinch somewhat at the name. "Good to see you, too."

"I'd like you to meet my husband," Julie squeezed Nick's hand. "This is Nick Malfoy, Nick this is Ryan Burke."

"I heard so much about you from your daughters, I feel like I know you already," Ryan said extending his hand.

"They certainly like to talk," Nick forced a smile on his face and shook the man's hand.

"How did everything to last night with your patient?" Julie asked conversationally.

Ryan smiled. "She had a healthy baby boy with quite a set of lungs on him."

"That's wonderful," Julie said softly.

Nick put an arm around his wife and pulled her close.

The smile on Ryan's face faltered a bit. Thankfully, Katie and Ashley waved him over to get a look at their castle.

"Wow this is amazing," Ryan said, trying not to steal a look at Nick and Julie.

"Nick don't start," Julie said quietly. "We talked this over the night you got home."

"He still fancies you," Nick said tersely. "I don't believe for one moment the good doctor over there came over here just to watch them build sand castles."

"He doesn't know me," Julie whispered furiously. "I'm not the same person I was when he and I dated all right?"

"He called you 'Jewel'," Nick said pulling his arm away.

"I know but it doesn't mean anything," Julie said. "At least not to me. You have absolutely nothing to worry about." she put on her most appeasing smile and touched his cheek.

Nick wasn't so sure, however. But any words he had to say were cut off by Hermione clapping her hands together. "Time's up!"

Harry, Ron and the girls stood up, both teams eyeing their castles with pride.

Luna and Hermione both took turns walking around each castle. They'd decided to judge based on creativity, completeness and overall presentation. Team Weasley's sand castle looked like a perfect replica of Hogwarts castle right down to the lake and Hagrid's hut.

Team Potter's was slightly less flashy- they didn't have the precision that Ron's team had but the turrets on their castle, albeit slightly lopsided, were made with care and seaweed was in the moat to represent water.

"I don't know Luna," Hermione said with a frown.

"Neither do I," Luna said. "Perhaps it wasn't such a good idea for us to judge."

"I say we call a draw," Hermione whispered. "Both are just fantastic in their own way, although Ron's is definitely more professional looking."

"They're never going to go for that," Luna whispered back. "You know how competitive our husbands are."

"What do we do?" Hermione asked.

Luna looked over at Ryan who was still chatting with Katie and Ashley. She knew that Dr. Burke couldn't be an impartial judge. Hermione watched as Luna took off down the beach.

"Where's Grandma going?" Caroline asked Hermione.

"I don't know sweetheart," Hermione answered.

A few moments later, Luna came back with three people. "I'd like you all to meet Susannah, Kevin and Martin. They have agreed to judge our contest."

Hermione took Luna aside but Luna just smiled. "Just relax, Hermione. They're Muggles. They have no idea who we are or what these castles are supposed to be. More importantly, they're impartial."

"Okay," Hermione whispered back, wishing she had her bag next to her with her wand in it just in case.

Luna had explained to the three Muggles what the judging criteria was and the three strangers took their jobs very seriously. They spent a good ten minutes surveying each castle and whispering to each other.

"Grandpa what if we lose?" Katie asked worriedly.

"We'll be good sports," Harry said putting an arm around her.

"I don't want to clean up after everyone," Ashley crossed her arms.

"Neither do I,' Katie agreed.

Harry nodded. He certainly didn't relish cleaning up after everyone either, especially Ron. Knowing his best friend, he had a feeling Ron would definitely lord this over him for some time to come.

Susannah stood in between the castles and smiled at both teams. "We had a hard time coming to a decision. Both of your castles were really great and imaginative. But by a vote of two to one, we think castle number one is the winner."

Saffron jumped to her feet and high-fived Ron.

"Oh no," Katie's face crumpled.

"It's okay," Harry said picking her up. "We can't win 'em all."

"But I love our castle," Katie said, trying to stifle her tears.

"Grandpa we won!" Caroline was too excited to notice Katie's tears.

"We sure did, Caroline!" Ron said scooping her up and twirling her around.

"Mum!" Saffron said running over to Hermione. "We won!"

"Congratulations sweetheart," Hermione hugged her daughter. "It's a lovely sandcastle."

"Did you like my lake?" Saffron asked.

"Aye, very much," Hermione nodded as Luna thanked the Muggles.

Harry walked over to get a better look at his daughter's castle.

"The lake was your idea, eh?" he asked Saffron.

"Yes," Saffron said. "Like it Dad?"

"It's amazing, Saffy," Harry said proudly. Whereas Julie was very much like her mother and Ethan was very much his father's son, Saffron was a blend of the two of them.

"Thanks Dad," Saffron gave him a hug. "I'm sorry yours didn't win though. It's really kind of cool..."

"Thanks, Saffy," Harry said. "You are really going to enjoy me cleaning up after you, aren't you?"

Saffron pulled her father's arm. "I heard Uncle Ron say he wouldn't make you guys clean up too much. He loves Ashley and Katie too much to do that to them." she whispered.

"But he didn't include me in that, did he?" Harry asked. "Face it, Saffy. He's going to love every minute of this."

"I'll make sure he's not too harsh on you okay Dad?" Saffron grinned. "Even if our castle was better you're still my old dad."

"Thanks," Harry said, smiling at her. His smile faded when he realised what she'd said. "Old?"

Saffron laughed. "Mum told me to throw that word in sometimes to see what you do."

"Did she?" Harry asked looking over at his wife who was talking with Jon and Allison. "Excuse me for a moment, Saffy."

"So, I was thinking," Hermione was saying as Harry walked over to her. "Harry? What...why are you picking me up?"

"I just wanted to make sure I'm not too old to do this!" Harry tossed his wife into the waves.

"Harry James Potter!" Hermione exclaimed angrily when she emerged. "I can't believe you just did that!"

"You told our daughter to call me old," Harry pointed out with a smug grin.

"You are old," Hermione retorted walking past him.

"Not too old to do this!" Harry grabbed her again and tossed her back into the water.

Hermione was positively livid when she stood up. If she had her wand and if there weren't numerous Muggles on this beach, she'd make him pay.

"You do that again and I'll....," she began, but she was so upset she didn't know what to say.

"What?" Harry gave her a charming grin as he pushed his way into the water.

"Throwing me in the water not once, but twice," Hermione muttered to herself. "Of all the egotistical, childish, immature..."

Harry leaned in and gave her a rather passionate kiss right there in front of everyone.

A few people hooted and hollered from the shore. Hermione abruptly pulled away and looked dazedly at her husband.

"What was that now?" Harry's eyes twinkled mischievously.

"I---can't remember," she said moving in for another kiss, but at the last minute she stepped aside causing her husband to fall face first into the water.

Ron nearly fell over laughing on the shore. "Way to go Hermione!"

"You're good," Hermione said when Harry got to his feet. "But I'm better."

"Right," Harry picked her up again. She yelped and started to move around as he moved into deeper water.

"Harry," Hermione said looking at him. "We're not setting a good example for the grandchildren."

"And telling them to call me old is a good example?" Harry raised an eyebrow. "Forgive me dear if I'm mistaken but are you not almost a year older than your devoted husband?"

"Yes," she admitted reluctantly. "Okay, I'm sorry for telling Saffy to call you old."

Harry leaned in and kissed her again before turning around and heading back for shore, Hermione still in his arms.

"After what we did yesterday morning in the shower," Hermione said in his ear. "I can say that you are most definitely not old."

Harry laughed as he set her back on dry land. "How about a reprise tonight?" he whispered. "An encore performance, say?"

"I think that can be arranged," Hermione whispered back, a mischievous gleam in her eyes. "Where would we be without silencing charms, eh?"

"I don't know how the Muggles do it," Harry whispered as Drew, Darla, Ethan and Maddie came roaring up to shore on the boat.

"Did we miss the judging?" Darla asked as she and Drew got out of the boat.

"It sure seems that way," Drew said. "But from the look on Dad's face, I think he was victorious."

Ethan laughed as he helped Maddie off the side of the boat. "My dad doesn't look worse for wear though."

"No he doesn't," Maddie said giggling. "Thanks for taking us out today. It was really great."

"Aye that was fun," Ethan agreed. "Maybe before we go home you and me will have to take a spin by ourselves," he whispered as Maddie tucked some flyaway strands of hair behind her ears.

"That sounds good to me," she said smiling at him.

"Still got your sea legs?" he laughed. "You were falling all over out there."

"That's because you were going so fast!" Maddie teased.

"Fast is fun," Ethan proclaimed, his arm around her waist as they headed through the waves towards the shore. "It's like flying only on water."

"Hard to believe you used to be afraid of the water, isn't it?" Maddie asked.

Ethan laughed. "Now how do you remember that?" he teased.

"Everyone talks about it," Maddie replied with a grin.

"I see," Ethan leaned in and gave her a quick kiss.

"If it makes you feel any better, I used to be scared of the dark," she said.

"I think I was when I was about two," Ethan joked. "But I think all kids were scared of the dark at one point." he grinned at her.

"Is there anything you're afraid of now?" she asked him.

"Losing you," he said in her ear.

Maddie looked up at him. "Losing me is your biggest fear?"

He shrugged. "Being an Auror, you learn to not be afraid of a lot of things, but fear losing what you do have."

"I'm not going anywhere Ethan," she said squeezing his hand. "I'm here to stay."

He grinned at that and kissed her again, his arms going around her waist to lift her right out of the water.

"Ethan!" Saffron yelled from the shore. "Quit snogging your girlfriend and come look at my castle!'

"Jeez Saffy," Ethan muttered as he pulled his mouth away from Maddie's. "She has the worst bloody timing. I say we stay out here a few minutes just to make her mad."

"Come on," Maddie said tugging his hand. "I want to see it, too. And you did promise to spend time with your sister, Ethan."

"I have spent time with her though," Ethan replied, allowing Maddie to drag him through the surf back to the beach.

Maddie shook her head. "I happen to like your little sister very much. We all remember too well what happened with your last girlfriend, don't we?"

Ethan made a face at her. "Saffy loves you Maddie. She'd never be angry about you taking up my time."

Saffron ran toward them. Excitedly, she took her older brother's hand. "Wait until you see it, Ethan. It's practically a miniature Hogwarts. The lake was MY idea. And Caroline did the shells and Uncle Ron..."

"Wow Saffy," Ethan was impressed. "This is definitely fantastic!"

"I beat your father," Ron said proudly. "I don't know if you heard that or not, but I beat him. Mister Youngest Seeker in 100 years. Mister Big Shot Auror. King of All Rabbits..."

Caroline looked quizzically at her grandfather. "Uncle Harry is the King of All Rabbits?"

"Yeah why don't you explain why I'm called the King of All Rabbits Ron," Harry said wickedly.

Ron glared at Harry before turning his attention to his granddaughter. "Well, Caroline....um...Luna, do you want to help me out on this one?"

"Not really Ronald," Luna smiled at him dreamily as Harry snickered.

Ron put his head in his hands.

"Grandpa," Caroline asked innocently. "If Uncle Harry's the King of All Rabbits, what does that make you?"

"The King of the Bottomless Stomachs," Harry intoned, making all of them, even Ron start laughing.

Julie laughed as she knelt down beside Katie. "Let's put some more suntan lotion on you so you don't get burned."

Nick was still standing with his arms crossed as the good Dr. Ryan said goodbye and ambled back off to his own place.

"Nick don't," Julie muttered as he knelt beside her and Katie. "We'll talk later."

"You don't have plans to go boating with the good doctor," Nick said sarcastically. "I'm shocked. He all but got down on one knee..."

"I said stop it," Julie snapped sharply.

"Fine," Nick said with a shrug.

"Mummy," Katie asked looking down at her arm which was practically caked with suntan lotion. "I think that's enough..."

"Oh I'm sorry love," Julie said, grabbing a towel to wipe some off. "You go ahead and play with Caroline and your sister."

"Okay," Katie said pecking her mother on the cheek before running off down the beach toward her sister and Caroline.

Julie gave her husband a cold glare before turning away to talk to Ethan. "So you and Maddie are getting along rather well aye?" she asked.

"Very well," Ethan admitted. "I love her, Jules."

Julie couldn't stop her grin. "That is so sweet Ethan."

"Go ahead and say it," Ethan said folding his arms and grinning back at her. "You've been waiting years to say it. Go ahead. You're dying to tell me you told me so, aren't you?"

Julie laughed. "I don't think I need to say it, do I? Actions speak louder than words- like that little snog show you put on out there in the water."

"You saw that, did you?" Ethan asked.

"Everyone saw that Ethan." Julie put her hand on his arm. "Including everyone on the planes, in their beach homes, oh and all the way back in London too."

"What are you talking about?" Saffron asked joining them. "Oh, I know. Is this about Ethan being in lurve with Maddie?"

"Ethan and Maddie sitting in the tree," Julie started to sing.

Drew and Darla were laughing. "K-I-S-S-I-N-G!" Drew grinned. "Remember when we used to sing that at Jon and Allie when we'd catch them snogging?"

"At the top of your lungs," Jon said with a groan. "Yes, it's all coming back to me now."

"They weren't as bad as Frankie," Allison said grinning at her sisters-in-law. "She used to just stare at us."

Jon laughed. "Or we'd catch her spying when we'd be in the common room together after everyone else went to bed." he snorted. "Thank goodness she has her own love life now. Or rather... love lives."

"She hit the ground running when she turned fifteen," Allison said laughing. "And hasn't looked back since then. She owled me a couple of days ago and said that she was serious about someone named Andre."

"What happened to that guy Will?" Jon asked with a laugh.

"She said she was so over him it was pathetic," Allison replied.

Julie laughed. "She's definitely the non committal type."

"Reminds me a bit of Aunt Lav," Ethan said. "Before she married Seamus."

"The three times before she married Seamus that is?" Julie laughed. "The marriages that still to this day never existed?"

Everyone laughed. "If I ever get married, I want her to design my dress," Drew chimed in. "The dress she did for your wedding to Nick, Jules...that was really amazing."

Julie's smile faded slightly as she looked at her husband who was keeping an eye on their daughters. "Yes it was gorgeous," she agreed.

"Alright, Jules?" Ethan asked.

"Just fine," Julie said a little too quickly. "Everything's just fine." her smile was genuine as Maddie joined them and Ethan put an arm around her waist.

"I feel as if I'm interrupting something," Maddie said looking between them.

"We're just talking," Drew said. "About you and Ethan kissing in the tree." she laughed at her sister's expression.

"Drew!" Maddie said blushing.

"Oh come on Mad Dog you've been dying for this to happen for years," Drew teased.

"Stop it Drew," Darla replied. "I think it's sweet."

"I think it's sweet too, but at least I can get back at her for teasing you and me about living in Ireland," Drew explained.

Maddie laughed. "Come on Drew- after all the fuss you put Dad through when we were kids only to stay on there after we moved back here..."

"From a business standpoint, it makes sense," Drew said defensively.

"Right," Maddie giggled, leaning against Ethan. "I need some sun block." she told him.

Ethan grinned. "I'd be more than willing to help you with that."

"Great," Maddie gave him a grin as they went over to their towels.

"I'm getting a bit of a headache," Julie said. "I'm going back in the cottage to lie down for a bit."

"We'll tell Nick and the girls where you are," Darla promised.

"Okay," Julie said, heading back towards the cabin. It was cool inside and she lowered the shades in the bedroom so it was nice and dark.

Nick had watched his wife go inside. He didn't like fighting with her. Part of him wanted to apologise for reacting the way he had and the other part wanted to sit and stew over this for awhile. After checking with Jon and Allie to make sure they'd watch out for Katie and Ashley, he set off for the house.

Julie had just lain down on the bed when she heard the front door to the cottage open. She ignored it, thinking someone had just forgotten something they needed on the beach.

Nick sighed before opening the door. The room was dark and Julie was lying down on the bed, her back to him.

"You okay?" he asked sitting on the edge of the bed.

She closed her eyes tight, wondering if she should try to pretend to be asleep. "No," she said tightly. "I'm really not okay."

"Neither am I," Nick said angrily. "I just don't get it, Julie."

"Don't get WHAT, Nicholas?" Julie turned on her back and glared at him. "I've bloody told you that Ryan means nothing, absolutely NOTHING to me anymore."

"I couldn't tell," Nick retorted. "What with how you were fawning all over him on the beach."

"How the hell was I fawning over him?" Julie snapped. "I was perfectly friendly, that's all!"

Nick stood up. "How could you be nice to someone who treated you like he did? You walked on the beach with him. You had him over for dinner. That would be like me inviting my parents over for Christmas dinner."

Julie pressed her fingers to her temples. "If that's the case then how could I love someone who treated me like you did? Whether or not you were lying to me that day you ended things between us at Hillsdale, you still broke my heart. And that hurt me a million times worse than anything Ryan ever said to me." tears filled her eyes. "I never loved him Nick. Never."

Nick hadn't known that. He'd always assumed that she had loved Ryan.

"You know that I had no choice," Nick began. "I did what I had to do because of Greta, Julie. You know that."

"Don't start it again," Julie turned back on her side. "I've heard it all before Nick. Greta has nothing to do with your jealousy over what's happening right now." she wiped her eyes. "What it really comes down to is that you quite obviously don't trust me. And nothing I do, say or show you can change that."

"I do trust you," Nick said, putting a hand on her shoulder. "Jules, I don't trust HIM. And I can't believe that you do."

"For the last bloody time," Julie's eyes were now blazing. "He doesn't remember me! He knows I'm married to you and YOU know that I'd never do anything to jeopardise that."

He wanted to believe her. "I know, Jules. It's just..."

His voice broke off as he considered telling her his deep secret. "You and I are married. We've been together for so long. You and the girls are everything to me. But you know how busy I've been with the album...I'm scared to death of turning into my father. And I know if I'm anything like him, you'll leave."

Julie softened a bit at his words. "You think because you're busy that you're turning into your father?" she asked incredulously. "Nick I know what it's like to be busy. You've seen me at the end of term- the amount of work I have to do for my students. It's the same way for me."

"I saw him with the girls today," Nick said looking away from her. "I saw how easily they took to him. And I just remembered how when I was little, I used to want so badly for one of my parents to do something with me. But there was always some big party to go to or some holiday they planned without me. And I don't want that to happen with you and the girls."

"It's not going to," Julie said, turning over again on her back. "Nick our daughters adore you. They were so excited to have you back with us again yesterday."

"I know," Nick said looking down. "I should know that."

"Yes you should," Julie touched his cheek with her hand. "Nick we're not going anywhere. Even though you're busy you still make time for us. The girls certainly don't feel neglected." she leaned in. "I know for sure that I don't feel neglected."

He hugged her to him. "Can you believe it? The famous, confident Nick Malfoy is really an insecure prat with unresolved father issues. That would sell so many papers for my Aunt Luna."

Julie smiled. "I think all you need to see that you're being a good father is the way our girls are with you."

"And even when I'm being a complete arse, my wife forgives me?" Nick asked hopefully.

"I think maybe she can," Julie buried her face in his shoulder. "As long as said husband puts the jealousy in the rubbish bin where it belongs."

"He will," Nick said hoping he could keep that promise.

"Good," Julie said pulling back. "Now will the husband please kiss his wife?"

"Yes," Nick said pressing his lips to hers.

She kissed him back rather passionately. "I should hope that would give you an inkling," she whispered.

"I may need some more convincing," Nick said grinning at her.

"I may need a headache spell first," Julie said. "I really do have one."

Nick smiled. "Let me go and get my wand. Don't go anywhere."

"I won't," Julie said softly.

Nick kissed her once more before heading out of the bedroom to retrieve his wand.

As he walked downstairs, he heard noise coming from the kitchen.

"How many glasses of lemonade do we have to get?" Katie was asking her older sister.

"For you and me, Grandma and Grandpa, Caroline, Ethan, Maddie and Drew," Ashley said counting the people out on her fingers. "They were the only ones who wanted some."

"What are you girls up to?" Nick asked his daughters with a smile.

"Getting lemonade," Katie answered as she poured some into some plastic cups. Most of it ended up on the counter, however. "You want some, Daddy?"

"I sure do," Nick replied. "But your Mum's got a headache. Let me go help her and then we'll both come have some lemonade with you okay?"

"You promise?" Katie asked him.

"I'll be right back sweetheart," Nick chuckled at the spilled lemonade.

Julie sat up when Nick came back into the bedroom.

"What's so funny?" she asked him.

"Our girls are trying to get lemonade for everyone but most of it's winding up on the counters and the floor." he laughed. "That pitcher is bigger than Katie."

She laughed just picturing it. "You may need that wand for a cleaning spell then."

"But first..." he waved it at her head. "There, how's that feel?"

"Better," she said kissing him. "Thank you."

"Anything for you Jules," Nick said softly. "I love you so much."

"I love you," she said touching his cheek. "And you never have to doubt that."

"I won't," he said. "I'll... try not to. And as long as you keep telling me I don't have to doubt you, I won't."

"Good," she said. "So, how about we go downstairs and help the girls before they flood the kitchen?"

"Good idea," Nick gave her a quick kiss and they went down hand in hand.

31. Chapter 31

A/N: It sure seems like a lot of you are interested in the Sims 2 Hillsdale crew. A bit more information: Please make sure you have University, we’ve done our best to make sure that there isn’t any custom content in the downloads, but we will make a list of sites that offer downloads we use in our games.

As always, we hope you enjoy this chapter, and please leave a comment when you’re done reading so we know what you think! It’ll only take a few seconds of your time ;)

It was later that evening and most everyone had retired for the night. Ron and Luna were finishing the cleanup from the dinner they'd had and were about to head to bed themselves when Maddie stuck her head into the kitchen.

"Could I have a word with you both?" she asked. While she knew her mother had told Hermione about her visions, Maddie had wanted to tell her father about them.

"Sure sweetheart," Ron said leaning back against the counter. "What's on your mind?"

"Well..." Maddie rubbed her hands together. "It's... kind of about the time that Allie went into the coma back in January... and it's about when that thing on the beach stung Caroline the other day."

Ron pulled a confused face. "I don't understand, Maddie. What do those two things have in common?"

"Well..." Maddie looked at her mother who reached over to give her daughter a comforting squeeze. "I had visions of these things happening, before they actually happened."

"Visions?" Ron asked. "Are you sure?"

Maddie nodded. "They happened I'd say... about ten to twelve hours before it actually happened to the person. And it's not the only time I've had them." she blushed.

"What sorts of things have you seen?" Ron asked memories of how he and Harry used to make up things for their Divination class with Trelawney.

"Well..." Maddie said. "When I was four I had a vision of me kissing Ethan. I thought it was just a dream but that's part of the reason I drove him mad when we were kids." she told him of a few other things she had seen. "Mum's talked to Aunt Hermione about me possibly working in the Department of Mysteries once we establish if I'm a true Seer or not."

"The Department of Mysteries?" Ron asked still trying to take all of this in. "Maddie, do you really want to make a career out of something like that?"

"Ron," Luna began. "It's not so much a career as it is a calling."

"Come on, Luna," Ron said with a slight laugh. "You had Trelawney, too. You know what a hack she was."

"I do but she did foretell that Prophecy about Harry," Luna replied quietly. "And I think our daughter is telling the truth about what she sees as well. My mother saw visions before she died."

Ron stared at her. "You never mentioned that to me, Luna. Not once."

"It never came up Ron," Luna replied. "Not until now."

"Daddy I just wanted you to know," Maddie said. "I'm going to look into this- I have to."

Ron put an arm around his daughter. "I'm sorry, Madeline. It just...it's not everyday that you hear that your youngest daughter is seeing visions. You know that I'll support you in whatever you do."

"Thank you," Maddie hugged her father tightly. "That means a lot to me Daddy."

"YOU mean a lot to me, Madeline Molly," Ron said hugging her back. "There's nothing I wouldn't do for you or your brothers and sisters."

"You're the best," Maddie said.

"Tell your mum that," Ron said with a laugh. "She doesn't believe that."

Luna laughed. "Go on with you Ronald. I wouldn't have married you if you weren't the best."

"That's why I married you," Ron said pecking her on the cheek.

"I'm going to bed," Maddie got up. "Thanks for hearing me out."

"Sleep well, sweetheart," Luna said.

"I will," Maddie kissed both her parents on the cheek. "Good night."

Luna smiled after her. "She wanted to be the one to tell you about all this Ron."

Ron nodded. "I wish she would have said something earlier."

"She's just been trying to take it all in," Luna explained. "She didn't know they were visions until just a few days ago. It really scared her."

"I can imagine," Ron said softly. "So your mum was like this, too?"

"From what I remember of her, yes," Luna nodded. "I don't remember any visions specifically but I know she had them."

"Did you ever have any?" Ron asked. "Visions, I mean."

Luna shook her head. "No gift of that sort was passed down to me."

"You really think something like this could be considered a gift?" Ron asked. When he saw the look on Luna's face, he touched her hand. "I just mean that it can't be very pleasant to see visions of people you love or care about getting hurt or...worse, Luna."

"It's not pleasant but it's definitely a gift," Luna said. "If Maddie's getting these visions hours in advance, she could do something about the people they happen to. People who are supposed to die might not- families could be spared."

"I didn't think about it like that," Ron said.

"It's not something easy but I think Maddie is strong enough to handle this." Luna smiled at her husband.

"I think so too," Ron said grinning back at her. "I just know how she is. She's got such a big heart, Luna."

"Aye and Ethan's managed to capture quite a bit of it," Luna laughed.

"Anyone who saw them on the beach today would have figured that out," Ron said with a laugh.

"What do you think of that?" Luna asked softly.

"Ethan's my godson," Ron said with a shrug. "He's a good kid, Luna. Don't worry. I'm not going to go all Neville on him because he's dating my little girl."

Luna smiled. "I wouldn't think you're the type Ron. You never went mad on any guy who dated Drew or Darla. And Ethan's a good boy- he's obviously as crazy about our daughter as she is for him."

"That's true," Ron said turning out the lights in the kitchen. "Remind me again why you and I ended up cleaning up when it was our family who won today?"

Luna laughed. "Because Harry knows your weakness when it comes to Katie and Ashley and he made them give you THAT face? The one you can never refuse?"

"The one that Maddie perfected so well?" Ron asked shaking his head. "I'm a sucker for that face."

"Aye and she's taught it well to all the kids," Luna was still laughing. "And besides that, it actually gave us a few minutes to be by ourselves."

"Time to ourselves?" Ron asked putting his hands on Luna's waist. "What could we do with that?"

"I can think of one thing but you'll have to lean closer to hear it," Luna smiled at him.

Ron did as he was told. "Like this?"

"Mmmhmm..." Luna leaned in and pressed her lips to his.

Ron pulled her close as he deepened the kiss.

Luna held onto her husband as he sat her on the counter. "I've missed having you to myself like this," she murmured.

"It's not easy to be alone when you have so many people sharing the same space," Ron said before he peppered her skin with kisses.

"I know," Luna's head fell back. "But I need you so much sometimes Ronald..."

"I need you too," Ron said huskily.

"Shall we take this to our bedroom?" Luna asked, pushing his red hair back.

"We have a history of being interrupted," Ron said picking her up. "I think that would be a good idea."

"You're so romantic to carry me upstairs," Luna said dreamily. "Just like you were on our honeymoon. When we were inside you carried me everywhere."

"I don't remember us ever going outside when we were on our honeymoon," Ron said as he carried her up the stairs.

"Me either," Luna giggled quietly. "But I don't think my feet ever hit the floor once."

Ron laughed. "It was the greatest week of my life even though you exhausted me."

"I exhausted you?" Luna asked. "I slept for almost an entire day when we got back!"

"That's because you couldn't get enough of me," Ron said smugly.

"I can never get enough of my Ron. Weasley is my King," she hummed a few lines of the song.

Ron beamed at her as she opened the door to their bedroom. "We're going to be sleeping in tomorrow, aren't we?"

"I hope to tire you out tonight," she whispered.

"I have the best wife in the world," Ron said loudly before kicking the door closed.

"And I have the best husband, who's given me six amazing children," Luna laughed as he put her on the bed.

"Want to go for seven?" Ron asked impishly.

Luna laughed. "If you think you could manage, then we should try."

"A baby at our age?" Ron asked. "I was only kidding, Loony."

"You'd never know if you try," Luna replied cheekily.

"Are you saying you'd like to have another baby?" Ron asked her. "Luna, we have two grandchildren."

"If it happens it happens," Luna replied, stroking his hair. "I'd like to think at this point we're done raising our children and can simply spoil our grandchildren instead."

"Exactly," Ron said kissing her. "And right now, I want to spoil you."

"Well I definitely won't say no to that," Luna laughed as his lips moved over her neck.

"That's what I like to hear," Ron said smiling down at her.

"We're going to have to set aside more time for us," Luna said a few minutes later. "I know taking over the Quibbler is going to be keeping me busy but now that you're only managing two shops instead of all the ones in the entire country of Ireland... I think we'll find the time."

"It's good to be home," Ron agreed. "I know we built a life in Ireland, but it never felt like home, you know?"

"Not like England," Luna agreed. "Where everything started for you and me."

"If we're getting technical," Ron said. "It started in Scotland for you and me. Though I was a complete prat to you while we were at Hogwarts."

"Well we don't have to count that," Luna pressed her lips back to his.

*** *** ***

Later that evening, Ethan slipped into Maddie's room again and asked her to come and sit on the beach with him. He'd told her they could look at the stars again, but so far they hadn't done much stargazing. In fact, for the half hour they'd been outside, they'd been snogging like there was no tomorrow.

When he pulled away for a moment so they could catch their breath, he was surprised to see Maddie trying and failing to stifle a yawn.

"Am I that boring?" he asked, pretending to be hurt.

"No," she leaned against him. "It's just late and I get so sleepy."

"I shouldn't have woken you up," he said softly. "I'm sorry. I just wanted to spend some time with you without having to worry about sisters or cousins or parents barging in on us."

"I don't really mind," she kissed his cheek. "I love spending time with you so much."

"One of these days, you might get sick of me," he said as she rested her head on his chest.

"No way," Maddie laughed. "If you weren't already sick of me when I bothered you when I was four..."

"You didn't bother me," he said defensively. "I was just a stupid boy."

"I'm just glad I don't bother you now," Maddie kissed him again.

"You don't," he said smiling at her. "So, you never said how it went with your dad. What'd he say?"

"Pretty good actually," Maddie replied. "He said he'd support me in whatever I do."

"I told you he would," Ethan said. He knew she'd been worried about how her father would take the news.

Maddie leaned back over and kissed him again. "Thank you for believing me too." she said quietly.

He was still sceptical about the entire Seer profession, but he knew Maddie wouldn't make these things up. She wasn't like that. And with her so confused by what she was seeing and what it all meant, the last thing she needed to hear from him was that he had doubts. Maddie yawned again.

"Come on," Ethan said, lying down on the blanket. "Lie here with me. I won't be upset if you fall asleep."

"Okay," she said, lying in the crook of his arms. "It's nice to just be here with you Ethan." she said sleepily.

"I couldn't agree more," Ethan said kissing the top of her forehead. It wasn't long before she was asleep. Ethan, however, wasn't tired. He was thinking about all of the wonderful things he wanted to share with this sweet, beautiful girl asleep in his arms.

What seemed like a short time later, Maddie felt herself being lifted up. "Hmmm..." she murmured, still rather ensconced in sleep. "Where are we going?"

She couldn't see the person that was leading her down a long, dark corridor but she could feel their grip on her hand. As they passed a room, Maddie could see a dark-haired woman fast asleep on her bed. Maddie saw two black cloaked figures pass by her whispering something to each other as they went.

She followed curiously into the room, looking around. In one corner she could see a small crib, with a baby wrapped in blankets inside. A photo of a man was on the table next to the sleeping woman.

As Maddie took all this in, one of the black cloaked figures pointed a wand at the woman and a sickly green light filled the room as the killing curse filled her ears.

"NOOOOOO!" Maddie screamed, but no one heard her. One of the men walked over to the crib and looked down at the baby who had begun to wail. Maddie made a move to stop the man, but she couldn't seem to walk. It was as if her legs were bolted to the floor.

"Stop!" she screamed, bolting upright. "No don't do it!" she began to sob.

Ethan had just closed his own eyes when he felt Maddie tense in his arms. She was shaking. Ethan put a hand on her shoulder. "Mads? What is it?"

Maddie didn't answer him. Her eyes were closed tightly and she was still shuddering. "Maddie?"

"Don't do it," she sobbed. "Please don't do it!"

"I'm not doing anything," Ethan said softly. "Maddie?"

Still, Maddie didn't react to his touch. Ethan didn't know what to do. His own hand was shaking as he placed it on Maddie's shoulder.

"I'm going to go and get help, Maddie," he said. "I'll be right back. I promise."

In her mind she could still see the men standing at the crib- and the motionless woman lying in the bed. "Please..." she couldn't stop saying.

Ethan ran up the stairs at breakneck speed. He knocked on both his parents' bedroom door and Ron and Luna's.

"Wake up," Ethan said knocking again on Ron's door. "Please! Maddie needs help!"

Ron was the first one up and out the bedroom door. "What's wrong Ethan?" he asked.

Hermione also came to the door. "Sweetheart what is it?" she was struggling into her robe.

"It's Maddie," Ethan said urgently. "We were on the beach and she fell asleep. The next thing I know, she's in some sort of trance. I can't get her out of it. Uncle Ron, I don't know what's wrong with her. Please..."

Ron immediately charged down the stairs and out the door. Hermione put a hand on her son's shoulder. "Do you think she's having another vision?" she asked as they hurried behind. Luna was right alongside them once they reached the beach.

"I don't know," Ethan said, not able to think about anything else. "She scared me, Mum."

Ron knelt beside his daughter who was still shaking uncontrollably. Tears were streaming down her face.

"Madeline," Ron said gently. "It's Daddy, sweetheart. I'm here."

"Please don't do it," she whispered frantically.

Ron put his hands on her shoulders. "Maddie? Do what, sweetheart? No one's going to hurt you."

Maddie's eyes suddenly flew open. "They're going to kill the baby!" she wailed.

"What baby?" Luna asked kneeling down beside Ron. "Emma?"

Maddie finally focused in on the people in front of her. "I don't know who it was," she tried to steady her voice but it was shaking. "It was some woman... she had dark hair and there was a baby in the corner of the room.... they killed the woman." she began to sob again.

"We should get her inside," Hermione said. "I'm going to contact the Ministry."

Ron gingerly picked his daughter up and walked slowly up the beach with her clinging to him.

"Its okay, Maddie," Ron whispered. "It's okay."

Ethan followed behind with Luna. "Will she be all right?" he asked her quietly. "Honest- we weren't doing anything- she was asleep and she just started shaking and crying like that."

"It's okay," Luna said squeezing his hand. "She's going to be okay, Ethan. My dad said my mother used to wake up in the middle of the night like that when she had a vision."

Ethan nodded but he wasn't reassured as he followed Ron, his mother and Maddie inside. Ron set his daughter on the sofa and Ethan pulled a blanket around her shoulders. She was still sobbing and he hugged her, trying to assure her that things would be all right.

"They were going to kill the baby, Ethan," Maddie whispered, holding on to him tightly. "I can't let him kill the baby."

"Who's going to kill the baby?" he asked softly, brushing some tears from her face.

"Two men," Maddie said looking into his brown eyes, wanting him to believe her. "I tried to stop them, but I couldn't move and they couldn't hear me..."

"I never knew... I didn't think the visions could be so bad," Ethan admitted. "Do you think that's what you had?"

"I-I don't know," Maddie said in a small voice. "It seemed so real, Ethan. But I don't know who the woman was or where the house is..."

"Well my Mum's trying to get a hold of someone at the Ministry now," Ethan pushed her hair out of her eyes. "So we'll take you over there if we have to and they'll help figure this out."

"What if we're not in time?" she asked gripping his arm. "I feel so helpless, Ethan."

"You've said you've usually had your visions hours in advance right?" he asked.

"Yes," she said weakly.

"Then if this is a vision I bet you're still in time," he said as confidently as he could. "I'm here for you Mads." he caressed her cheek. "It's okay to be scared."

She was comforted by his words and his presence, but she didn't know how they'd be in time to save the woman and her baby. "I don't know who they were, Ethan. I don't know where they were. Most of my visions before were about people I knew."

"I'm sure they'll figure it out," Hermione pulled her head out of the fire at that moment. "Maddie we're going to need to go to the Department of Mysteries. Just you and me."

"Just the two of you?" Ron asked concernedly.

"Its okay, Daddy," Maddie said getting to her feet with Ethan's help.

"But sweetheart," Ron objected. "I don't want you there alone."

"It's a highly confidential area Ron," Hermione said softly. "I promise to bring her back as soon as I possibly can." she looked at Ethan. "Will you go tell your father where I went?"

Ethan nodded. "Sure, Mum."

Maddie walked over to her parents and gave them a long, lingering hug.

"I'm scared, Daddy," she said quietly. "But I have to do this."

"I know sweetheart," Ron kissed her cheek as Luna went to grab a robe from the hall closet.

Maddie gratefully took the robe from her mother and Ethan helped her with it.

"I'll wait up for you, Mads," he whispered in her ear.

"Thank you," she gave him a tremulous smile as Hermione put her arm around the girl.

"Ready?" she asked, forcing a smile onto her face.

"Ready," Maddie said with a nod.

Hermione tossed some Floo Powder into the fireplace and a moment later she and Maddie were standing in her office at the Ministry. "All right- I'm going to give you a... briefing... as we head down."

"Okay," Maddie said. "I've only been here a few times. Mostly to visit my Grandpa and my Uncle Percy."

"The Department of Mysteries is rather heavily guarded," Hermione explained. "There are some things in there that people can't explain at all."

"I know all about it from my dad," Maddie said sitting down. "I know about Uncle Harry's prophecy and how his godfather died..."

"Yes," Hermione frowned. She wished she'd been a part of Harry's life then- she might have been able to convince him that it had been a trap. "Well it's also where we keep some of our best Aurors. Not people like Harry who everyone knows is an Auror but ones who are undercover. In the past we've had Seers whose true identities are kept for safekeeping there." she led the younger girl down a few flights of stairs. "What happens is, they would get set up with some sort of clerical job when really they were foretelling the prophecies and having the visions that were recorded by specialists and used to determine what and when they were going to happen."

"I didn't know that," Maddie said fascinated.

"It's a bit of a complicated process," Hermione replied. "I won't be one to sugar coat it Maddie. It's hard on people and for the most part, I don't believe in it. I believe in what lies behind it- and I don't think you're making any of this up. But only time will tell if this is all for real."

"Ethan feels the same way," Maddie said softly as they walked down the corridor. "I know you think it's a woolly discipline, Aunt Hermione. And maybe it is, but it means a lot to me that you believe in me; that you believe I actually saw something."

Hermione stopped a moment and smiled at the young woman in front of her. "You're a very strong girl Maddie. I've known you your whole life and I'd never believe for a moment you'd lie about anything. I'll do what I can and stand behind you but there are a lot of things you'll have to face by yourself."

"Thank you," Maddie said smiling back at her. Hermione turned around to lead them back on the way, but Maddie grabbed her arm. "There's something else, Aunt Hermione. I didn't say anything to Ethan or my parents, but there was someone else with me in my vision...."

"I've never heard of that happening..." Hermione mused. "We'll ask when we get down there all right?"

Maddie nodded and followed Hermione.

They finally reached the Department of Mysteries after walking for what seemed like forever. Hermione spoke the secret password that verified her identity and she led Maddie inside.

Maddie looked around and suddenly remembered something her mother used to say about this place. She said that The Quibbler once published an article that said that Cornelius Fudge, the former Minister, used to use this department to develop terrible poisons which he would feed to those who disagreed with him.

Maddie followed Hermione into the circular room with its twelve plain, black handle less doors. The room was lit with blue flamed candles.

"Hello Smythe," Hermione said to the woman in the middle of the room. "Thank you for coming."

"Anything for you, Minister," Smythe said smiling warmly at Hermione. She turned her attention to Maddie. "And you must be Madeline."

"Yes," Maddie said nervously. "You can call me Maddie if you like."

"Whatever makes you comfortable," Smythe said politely. "The Minister tells me that you've had some visions."

Maddie nodded, gulping. "I had one just... just now and I haven't ever had one that bad... and before they've almost always been of my friends or family." she shook her head. "I've no idea who this woman or her baby were. And there was also someone leading me aside from the two people in black who... used the killing curse..."

"You need to tell us everything you can remember about your vision," Smythe interjected. "What sorts of things stuck out in the vision..."

"What about the Pensieve?" Hermione asked. "Will that help her at all in remembering things- especially if she doesn't know who these people are?"

"Most definitely," Smythe said. "If Maddie is sure she wants to relive what she saw..."

Maddie shuddered as Hermione put a hand on her arm. "It's up to you sweetheart," Hermione said gently.

Maddie was scared, but she knew that two innocent people would die if she stood by and did nothing.

"I'll do it," Maddie answered.

Hermione squeezed her hand. "You're a brave girl Maddie," she said as Smythe led them over to a basin on the other side of the room. Instead of a normal Pensieve, this was filled with red swirls instead of silvery grey.

"Did you bring your wand?" Smythe asked Maddie.

Maddie reached for her pocket- thankfully her mother must have slipped it in there when she went to grab the robe. "Yes," she answered softly.

"Have you ever used a Pensieve before?" Smythe asked her.

Maddie shook her head. "I'm sorry," she answered.

"Its okay, Maddie," Smythe said softly. "I just want you to think about what you saw tonight. Block everything else out....you'll take your wand and place it near your temple....and then as the thoughts come to you, draw your wand away and add those thoughts to the basin. Do you think you can do that?"

Maddie nodded and closed her eyes. She felt tears gather as she thought about what she had seen, putting as much detail into things as she possibly could. She drew her wand away and was surprised to see what looked like a long piece of her hair attached to it. Maddie moved her wand down and the thought was added to the mass and the three women bent over to look at it.

The scene in Maddie's vision played out this time with Smythe and Hermione witnessing everything Maddie had seen. Hermione felt the same emotions Maddie must have felt as she watched the two cloaked figures deliver the Killing Curse at the sleeping woman.

"That's...." Hermione whispered. "Colin Roberts... one of our secret Aurors," she looked up at Smythe. "He's off on a mission right now but that's his wife and son!"

"Really?" Maddie asked a bubble of hope in her chest. "You know who they are?"

"Aye," Hermione nodded, as did Smythe. "Send word to their house immediately. I don't want any time wasted in getting Lydia and the baby out of there."

Smythe nodded and dashed off leaving Hermione and Maddie alone.

"I hope they can reach them in time," Maddie said wiping the tears from her cheeks.

"I think they will," Hermione turned to her and gave her a hug. "It's going to be okay love."

For the first time that evening, Maddie actually believed someone when they told her it was going to be okay.

"Aunt Hermione," Maddie said. "Did you see the person with me in the Pensieve?"

Hermione shook her head. "I didn't see anyone, Maddie. Just Lydia, the baby and those two figures..."

Maddie shook her head. "When I was putting my thoughts in the Pensieve, I saw a glimpse of the person who was leading me their way. I know this is going to sound crazy, but I think I know who it was..."

"Who?" Hermione asked curiously.

New tears welled up in Maddie's eyes as she remembered glimpsing the woman's blonde hair so much like her own; so much like her mother's.

"It was my Grandmother," Maddie answered softly. "Not my Nana, but my Grandmother."

"You mean Luna's mother?" Hermione asked.

Maddie nodded. "I think so. I know I never knew her, but I saw pictures; plenty of photographs. It was her. I'm sure of it."

"I think that sounds quite plausible," Hermione said. "And quite lovely, that she wanted to help guide you." she tucked a strand of hair behind Maddie's ear in a motherly fashion. "I'm sure she'd be quite proud of you."

Maddie smiled. "I can't wait to tell my mum."

Hermione squeezed her hand and they sat down on a hard bench to wait.

Smythe came to join them a few moments later.

"We reached them in time," she explained. "Two of our best men are going to stay in the Roberts' house and apprehend the two men when they arrive."

Maddie gave a large sigh in relief. "Are they here?" she asked.

Smythe nodded. "They're in the Atrium."

"I'd like to see them if I could," she asked hesitantly. "Would that be all right?"

"I don't see why not," Hermione said smiling at her.

Maddie nodded. "Thank you," she said to the other woman. "Thank you for helping me. I'm glad to know I've helped two innocent people tonight."

"You certainly did," Smythe said shaking her hand. "And I'd be happy to talk with you some more about what you've seen, Maddie. I think you have the gift."

"When we get back from holiday I'll come in," Maddie said. "I'd like to know more about this as well."

"I'll help set something up for you," Hermione said. "And thank you, Smythe."

"Anytime Minister," Smythe nodded her head respectfully. "I'll see you soon I'm sure."

A few minutes later, Hermione and Maddie found themselves in the Atrium. Lydia Roberts was cuddling her baby son in her arms as two Aurors stood guard beside her.

"Lydia?" Hermione asked coming over.

"Minister Potter," Lydia said smiling gratefully at her. "I can't thank you enough for saving me and my son..."

"It was this young lady here," Hermione interjected. "Maddie had a vision of the two men coming into your house tonight. We've sent word to Colin- as you know we can't divulge where he is- but rest assured he'll be back as soon as he can."

Lydia nodded and looked at Maddie. "Thank you so much. I wish I could shake your hand, but my hands are a little full right now."

"That's all right," Maddie said quietly as she looked at the baby. "I'm just so happy I could help. I was scared when I didn't know who you both were and I'm just glad someone did."

"You were so brave," Lydia said softly. "I--I don't even want to think about what could have happened if you hadn't come forward."

"I don't like to think about it either," Maddie looked down again at the baby. "We'll let you be now- I just wanted to come and meet you is all."

Lydia smiled gratefully at Maddie. "William and I owe you our lives, Maddie. I don't know what we could do to repay you..."

"Just seeing you safe is all I need," Maddie replied softly.

"Thank you, Maddie," Lydia said. "For everything."

"You're welcome," Maddie said as Hermione put a hand on her shoulder and they left the Atrium.

Back in Brighton, Harry was trying to get Ron to calm down.

"You know WE were in the Department of Mysteries before," Ron argued. "I don't see why WE couldn't have gone back."

"Didn't you get attacked by a brain in there?" Jon asked. Everyone was awake, save for the children.

"That's not the point," Ron snapped. "My daughter is in there!"

"With Hermione," Harry pointed out. "Who you know would never let anything happen to Maddie."

Ron faltered a moment. "Yes I know but--"

"I know you're scared," Luna said to her husband. "We all are, but Maddie's going to be okay."

Ethan's foot was tapping nervously on the floor. "I should have insisted I go with," he muttered.

"Ethan," Julie said. "Mum wouldn't let her parents go. You know she wouldn't have let you go."

He shook his head. "But she needs me," he said to his sister.

"She knows you'll be here waiting for her when she gets back," Julie said gently.

"I doubt she knows everyone's waiting up," Ethan said with a smirk.

Jon was trying to keep his father's mind off of all of this by doing what he did best---trying to make him laugh.

"How did you get attacked by a brain, Dad?" Jon asked. "Mum said you were talking crazy...something about seeing Uranus?"

Luna's lips twitched as Ron turned red.

"We still don't know what they hit him with," Harry said trying not to laugh. "He was really, really out of it."

"I got attacked," Ron stressed.

"Yes, but you accioed the brain, right?" Jon asked. "So you basically brought it on yourself, didn't you?"

Ron crossed his arms. "I refuse to comment."

"What about that time when you, Uncle Seamus and Uncle Harry snuck out of school into Hogsmeade and drank so much Firewhisky...." Jon said.

"I'd like to hear about that myself," Luna said raising an eyebrow at her husband. "When did this happen?"

"That never happened, your uncle Neville is a liar," Harry said hastily.

"My dad isn't a liar," Allison said gleefully. She shared a look with Jon. "Didn't one of you try to hit on Madame Rosmerta and she nearly laughed herself silly?"

"Maybe when I was bloody thirteen I fancied her a bit," Ron said sullenly.

"A bit?" Harry asked with a laugh. "That night you jumped on the bar and started dancing....singing some Weird Sisters song and started unbuttoning your shirt...Seamus and I nearly pissed ourselves laughing..."

Ron glared at him and was about to respond when the fireplace whooshed to life and Hermione and Maddie stepped out.

"Mads?" Ethan asked immediately getting to his feet. "Are you okay? What happened?"

"Everything's fine," Maddie said, looking much more relaxed. "We figured out who it was and they got to her and the baby before the men in the cloaks did."

"That's fantastic," Ethan said hugging her. "You're a hero!"

Maddie blushed. "I wouldn't go that far," she murmured.

"What I'd like to know is why on earth are all of you awake? It's nearly half past three in the morning!" Hermione asked incredulously.

"Ease up, Mum," Julie teased. "We're not children. We were worried about Maddie."

Ron held his daughter tightly. "I'm proud of you Madeline. Very proud."

"Thanks, Daddy," Maddie said hugging him back. She looked over her father's shoulder at Luna who was beaming at her.

"Mum," Maddie said. "Could I tell you something in private?"

"Sure sweetheart," Luna said as they went into the kitchen.

Maddie didn't know where to begin. She leaned against the countertop for support and looked at her mother.

"I didn't want to say this in front of everyone else," Maddie explained. "I thought it was something I could tell you alone. I hope no one will get upset or hurt, but it was something I wanted you to know, Mum."

"Is there something wrong?" Luna grasped her daughter's hand.

"No," Maddie said shaking her head. "It was something good. You know about what I saw tonight, right? About seeing the woman and the baby?"

"Right," Luna nodded slowly.

"I was asleep with Ethan on the beach and I felt someone taking my hand," Maddie explained. "I couldn't see them or hear them, but I could feel them. This person led me to that house...to those people, Mum."

Luna was silent and squeezed Maddie's hand.

"Whoever this person was, they tried to comfort me when I was scared," Maddie continued. "I could feel their warmth with me, Mum. But I didn't know who it was. Tonight when I put my memories in the Pensieve, I caught a glimpse of this woman..."

Luna's eyes widened. "It was my mother," she said, reading the look in her daughter's eyes. "Your grand mum..."

Maddie nodded. "She was so beautiful, Mum. She was guiding me and protecting me."

Tears filled Luna's eyes. "She knows you have the gift and she came back to help you." she hugged Maddie tightly. "Thank you for telling me that sweetheart."

"I wish I could have known her," Maddie said hugging her mother back.

"There's so much of her in you," Luna said, kissing her daughter's forehead.

"Really?" Maddie asked.

"Yes, very much," Luna smiled. "And I think she'll be back from time to time when you truly need her."

"If they saved the Pensieve from earlier," Maddie said. "Perhaps you could see her too, Mum."

"Perhaps," Luna hugged her again. "You should go see Ethan... he's been pacing around all night until you got back."

"I must have really scared him, eh?" Maddie asked.

"He's just been worried." Luna said. "And if your father doesn't get some more sleep he'll be a right grump in the morning."

They went back into the living room to find that Hermione had successfully managed to get most everyone back to bed. "Good night Maddie," Hermione said. "We'll talk later on all right?"

Maddie nodded. "Thank you, Aunt Hermione. For everything."

"Anytime love," Hermione said, heading back upstairs with Ron and Luna. Maddie looked over at Ethan. "You really didn't have to wait up for me," she said softly.

"I promised I would," he said motioning for her to come and sit beside him. "I couldn't have slept until I knew you were okay."

Maddie slid into his embrace. "Thank you," she said, her voice muffled by his t shirt. "Thank you for getting everyone earlier tonight."

"Of course," he said softly holding her close. "You saved someone tonight, Maddie. Two someones, actually. That's...amazing."

"It's pretty... incredible," she agreed. "But who knows if I'd have come out of that trance in time if you weren't there Ethan?"

"So I guess we make a good team then?" Ethan asked her.

"I definitely like to think so," Maddie looked up. "Kiss me," she asked softly.

Ethan cupped her face in his hands and kissed her gently. He'd been so worried about her and he still had so many questions, but all that mattered now was that she was back and she was okay.

She leaned into his kiss; she knew he had to be exhausted but her vision and what had happened after it left her feeling quite exhilarated. He lay back on the sofa, Maddie on top of him as she took the initiative to deepen their kiss.

Ethan certainly hadn't expected this, but what she was doing felt so great, he wasn't about to stop her.

Maddie let her hands run through his hair repeatedly as he so often liked to do to hers as his hands travelled up and down her back. "Ethan," she murmured, pulling away for a moment. "Does it always feel this good?"

"I think it's more special when you're in love," he whispered. "And I've never been in love before until you, Madeline."

She smiled down at him. "It's no secret that I've never been in love with anyone else."

"If I have my way," he said nipping at her bottom lip. "You'll never be in love with anyone, but me."

"Seems to me like you already have your way there," she said breathlessly as he flipped them around so she was looking up at him.

"I love you," he whispered kissing her.

The now familiar but welcome thrill shot through her at his words and his touch. "I love you," she whispered back when he pressed his lips to her neck.

Testing his boundaries, Ethan slowly slipped his hand underneath her jumper and traced his fingers on her stomach.

She drew in a slow breath as he did this- his hands were warm and familiar. "No don't stop," Maddie said hoarsely.

He looked at her. "Are you sure?"

"I trust you Ethan and I know you won't push me into anything," Maddie said softly. "I knew you wouldn't when I told you about me not wanting to go that far before I got married."

"I wouldn't," he said smiling down at her.

"Which is why I love you," Maddie said, pulling him back down for another kiss.

Ethan slid his hand back underneath her jumper and he marvelled again at how soft and warm her skin was to his touch.

Maddie kissed him as hard as she could- his lips were firm and sweet as she tasted him over and over again.

They continued to kiss and touch and feel for what seemed like forever; going much further than they had before. Ethan pulled away from her, mostly to catch his breath.

"We should probably stop," he said reluctantly. "I'm afraid if we don't, I won't be able to..."

"Okay," Maddie agreed as he sat back. She tugged her jumper down and ran a finger over her swollen lower lip.

"I'm no Seer, but I foretell loads of cold showers in my future," he teased.

Maddie giggled. "Yours and mine both."

"We've both had a long day," he said softly. "We should probably get to bed."

"We're not going to get up until noon," Maddie took his hand as he helped her up.

"Saving lives can really take it out of you," Ethan said with a laugh.

"I suppose we'll both be finding that out," Maddie agreed. "Thanks for being here for me tonight Ethan." she hugged him tightly, burying her face in his shoulder.

"I'd do anything for you, Mads," he said hugging her back.

She smiled up at him. "And I love you for it," she said, giving him one last lingering kiss.

"Sleep well," he whispered watching as she disappeared inside her bedroom.

"You too," she said softly. Hopefully the rest of her dreams that night would be sweet.

32. Chapter 32

A/N: Thanks again to those of you that took the time to leave a review- your comments really mean a lot to us and your thoughts help us decide what we want to do in the story down the line.

For those of you interested in the Sims 2 Hillsdale crew: I am currently packaging them up without any of the downloads I usually use in my game, but when I post them I will make a list of the sites I get hair, makeup and clothing from so you can all download at your leisure. When I have some spare time, I will put the site up with the packaged Sims.

As always, please, PLEASE let us know what you think by leaving a review after you’re done reading! There is lots of fluff right now, but there is LOADS of drama ahead for everyone!

True to what she'd said, it was early afternoon when Maddie awoke the next day. Feeling guilty for sleeping in so late when she wanted to spend time with her family, she pulled her bikini on and some shorts over it and ran downstairs.

"I'm sorry," she said breathlessly. "I was just up so late and--"

"Saving lives," Jon finished for his sister. "It's okay. We understand completely, Mad Dog."

"Thanks," she said, giving her brother a brief hug. "What are you reading Josh?" her other brother was gazing intently at a copy of the Daily Prophet.

"Something you might find interesting," Josh said handing her the paper.

Maddie gasped. "That's... those are the people..." she stared at the photo and article. "But how did they hear about this?"

"They have a few reporters that cover everything that happens at the Ministry," Hermione explained. "You'll notice that you weren't mentioned, Maddie."

Maddie looked back at the article. "That's probably a good thing right? I mean, they wouldn't want everyone to know that I'm probably a Seer."

"No, they wouldn't," Hermione explained. "But don't be mistaken, Maddie. You're the reason Lydia and William are alive today and those two men were caught."

"I don't mind that my name isn't mentioned," Maddie replied. "I'm just so relieved you knew who they were Aunt Hermione. I guess I'm just scared of the day when I have a vision of someone that no one knows at all."

Hermione smiled. "Hopefully, it will never come to that, Maddie. Smythe was really impressed."

Maddie smiled. "She seemed like a really nice person. I can't wait to work with her some more."

"Once the holiday is over, we'll see what we can do about setting up a meeting," Hermione said. She noticed Maddie looking around for Ethan. "My son took Saffron, Katie, Ashley and Caroline out on the boat. He wanted to let you sleep, Maddie."

"Oh," she sat down at the table. "Do you um... know if he'll be back soon?"

"Not if the girls have anything to say about it," Hermione said apologetically.

"I suppose that's all right," she said. "I don't want to take him away from spending time with everyone else."

"You can spend time with your goddaughter," Allison said from the breakfast nook where she was holding Emma.

"Now that I'd never say no to," Maddie held her arms out for Emma.

"You can help me convince Jon that her little gurgling is not her trying to say 'Dada'," Allison said handing the baby to Maddie.

Maddie laughed. "Come on Jon, she's only five months old."

"She's very intelligent," Jon said defensively. He stood behind his sister and looked down at Emma. "Come on, baby girl. Say it...say Dada."

Emma gave her father a toothless grin. "I think she's just teasing you Jon," Maddie giggled.

"I think so too," Josh agreed. "And you know she could be calling you the other D word---like dumba-"

"Josh!" Lizzy said clamping her hand over his mouth.

"What she doesn't understand me," Josh laughed at his wife.

"Babies are like sponges," Lizzy explained. "They soak up every little thing."

"If you say so," Josh rolled his eyes. He made a face at Emma who seemed to laugh in reply.

"That's probably just gas," Jon smirked at his twin. "She knows who to aim that at."

"Do you two ever stop?" Maddie asked laughing at her two brothers. "I still don't know how you managed to live together all those years and not kill each other."

Jon and Josh grinned. "It used to be worse before Josh started getting some," Jon replied.

"Excuse me!" Lizzy squeaked. "That's none of your business Jonathan Arthur!"

"It's the truth," Jon said grinning at her.

"At least Lizzy and I never got caught by her dad post-shag," Josh shot back.

"Touché," Jon replied.

"Honestly Jon you can't go around and say these things like that," Allison frowned at her husband. "Especially if Caroline's around or Ashley or Katie."

"He started it," Jon said pointing at Josh.

Allison, Lizzy and Maddie managed to share a three way look. "Jon I love you with all that I have but grow up." Allison said.

"That goes the same for you Joshua," Lizzy said sternly. "You two aren't setting a good example for R.J."

R.J. gave his brothers a smirk. "Yeah and I'm so young and impressionable."

"From what I hear R.J.'s taking up your old slack at Hogwarts," Josh said glaring at his younger brother. "Don't let that innocent smile fool you ladies. R.J.'s just like Dad and Jon."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Jon asked, offended.

Josh laughed. "Come on, Jon. Do you even remember half the stuff you used to pull when we were at school? You were lucky you weren't expelled."

"It's not my fault I got the Weasley charm and you didn't," Jon said loftily. "R.J. got lucky too. Right mate?"

"Right," R.J. agreed, grinning at Jon.

"That's right, Jon," Josh said irritably. "Everything's always been a joke to you and Dad and R.J. The three of you have always just coasted by and gotten away with everything..."

"Josh," Maddie said giving him a look.

"Hey not everything is a joke," Jon replied. "Did I not buckle down my last year and make my marks worthwhile thanks to Allie here?"

"When you weren't snogging in the common room or sneaking her in and out of our bedroom," Josh shot back.

"Guys stop it," Maddie said, her eyes uncharacteristically dark.

"Josh," Lizzy said putting a hand on his arm. "What's gotten into you?"

"Nothing," Josh grumbled. "I'm going outside." he grabbed his coffee cup and left the breakfast nook.

"There are you satisfied?" Allison asked her husband angrily as Lizzy ran after him. "Why do you guys always have to have a go at him? You know he's sensitive about how you two and your dad are cut from the same mould and he's different."

"He's the one who basically called us slackers, Allie," R.J. said. "He's always trying to act like he's my father and I'm sick of it."

"You should still be nicer to him," Maddie said softly. "He's still your brother and he's always been a good brother at that. He was always there for me when I needed him as a kid."

"He doesn't make it easy," Jon replied honestly. "Allie, I love Josh. You know I do. And he's been there for me a number of times, but he never wants to hang out with all of us. He spends most of his time with Lizzy. When we went to the World Cup last year, he didn't go. And we all but begged him to come along..."

"Well maybe you two should step into his shoes and do something he enjoys once in awhile." Allison said. "Come on Maddie, we should go change Emma."

R.J. and Jon watched them leave.

"So," R.J. said looking at Jon. "What exactly does Josh like to do?"

Jon shrugged. "I'm ashamed to say I'm not sure..."

Lizzy found Josh standing on the patio looking out at the ocean. She put a hand on his arm.

"Josh?"

"Hey," he turned to his wife. "Sorry about running out in there. Those two just get under my skin sometimes."

"Are you okay?" she asked him. "I'm sure Jon and R.J. didn't mean anything by it."

"I'm fine," Josh replied. "When they get like that it's best to just walk away from them instead of responding."

Lizzy nodded. "I don't know what it's like with siblings. I was an only chid. But I know how different you are from your brothers..."

Josh put an arm around her. "Different, a bit stodgier sure... but that's what you liked about me right?" he smiled at her.

"Among other things," Lizzy said hugging him.

"Have I told you yet today how happy I am we got married?" Josh asked, setting his coffee cup on the ledge and hugging her back.

"You mentioned it this morning," she replied resting her chin on his shoulder. "But I don't mind you telling me over and over again. I love hearing it. Dr. Elizabeth Weasley."

"My gorgeous intelligent wife," Josh grinned pulling back to give her a kiss.

"I like hearing that too," she said when they pulled apart a few second later. She saw that R.J. and Jon were standing in the doorway looking at them. "Looks as if we have company."

"What do you guys want?" Josh asked in a neutral tone.

"Well Joshie," Jon said as he slung an arm around his twin. "We wanted to apologise for acting like gits."

"I'll leave you boys to your bonding," Lizzy said smiling at her husband one last time before walking back inside the house.

"We are sorry, Josh," R.J. said.

"It's all right," Josh said with a shrug. "I'm used to it."

"But you shouldn't be," Jon argued. "We are brothers and despite popular opinion you can be fun when you want to be..."

"We think," R.J. teased.

"We'd like to hang out with our brother today," Jon finished.

Josh looked at Jon and R.J. "Okay who are you and what have you done with my REAL brothers?"

"We are your real brothers," R.J. said. "You bailed on the World Cup and you never want to play Quidditch..."

"That's because I like Quidditch, I'm not a fanatic," Josh replied. "I'd rather listen to the game on the Wireless."

"But it was THE World Cup, Josh," R.J. argued. "Dad got tickets for all of us and you didn't want to come."

"I know," Josh said. "But I don't enjoy all that and you were able to get Ethan to go with instead and he loves Quidditch."

"Water under the bridge," Jon said dismissively. "Today, we'll do whatever you like to do."

"The only problem is we don't really know what it is you like to do," R.J. chimed in. "Except for read. And if that's what you want to do, we'd be more than happy to do that."

Josh looked between them again. "This isn't a trick or anything?"

"Always quick to think the worst, eh Joshie?" Jon asked innocently. "Seriously. Whatever it is that you like to do, that is what we will do. Just the three of us."

"Well..." Josh said. "How about fishing? I really like fishing- and I'm sure we might be able to find a hot spot or two that hasn't been fished out yet. When Ethan gets back here with the boat that is..."

"Fishing?" R.J. asked thoughtfully. "That might be kind of cool."

"Really?" Josh actually seemed a bit excited. "So you guys really want to go fishing?"

"Sure," Jon said with a laugh. "I haven't done that since we were kids."

"Great," Josh said. "Let's get everything together and then we'll take over the boat when Ethan and the girls come back."

"Okay," R.J. said. "You lead the way." He pulled Jon off to the side as they followed Josh. "Um, Jon?" R.J. asked. "I've never been fishing."

Jon grinned. "It's not hard R.J. - but ask Josh to show you."

"He's going to love that," R.J. remarked dryly. "You know how much he loves to 'teach'."

"It helps him feel important," Jon muttered quietly. "So let him do it- you might be surprised."

"Okay," R.J. said.

*** *** ***

Harry and Hermione along with Ron and Luna were enjoying a quiet house as most of the children and grandchildren were out and about.

"I wish I had the energy of those kids," Luna commented as she sat down on the sofa beside Ron. "Caroline has been up since around six this morning and as soon as she got back with Ethan, she wanted to go back out on the beach. I'd be knackered..."

"Me too," Hermione laughed. "Guess our age is finally catching up to us."

"We are like fine wines," Ron said smugly. "We get better with age."

Harry laughed at that. "You're more like aged butterbeer."

Ron pulled a face. "Aged butterbeer tastes like crap, Harry."

Harry's grin widened and Ron threw a pillow at him. "Hey!" Harry chortled.

"Come on boys, enough," Hermione patted her husband's knee.

"Yes," Luna said looking sternly at Ron. "Enough. We're supposed to be relaxing and enjoying the peace and quiet."

"Doesn't this make you guys feel like it did before we had kids and grandkids?" Hermione asked after a few minutes of silence between all four adults? "Those days right after Hillsdale when we were all just starting out?"

"It seems like a lifetime ago," Luna said with a smile.

"Sometimes I can't believe that was all over 30 years ago," Harry commented.

"Back when we didn't know about house payments, dirty nappies," Ron joked.

"We don't have to pay," Harry said loftily. "The Minister for Magic and her family have a residence paid for by you lesser folk." he grinned to show them he wasn't serious.

"Says the kept man," Ron said throwing another pillow at him.

"Kept and loving it," Hermione hugged Harry around the middle.

"I was waiting for the two of you to go into rabbit mode," Ron said looking at his watch. "You held out a lot longer than I expected..."

"We're not in rabbit mode," Harry replied. "We were this morning but we can control ourselves when we have to." he looked at Hermione. "Right?"

"Exactly," Hermione agreed. "And what about the two of you? The other night you forgot to use a silencing charm..."

"And your room is right next to ours," Harry interjected. "The headboard kept banging against the wall half the night."

"We were just giving the two of you a taste of your own medicine," Ron said with a smirk. "Now you know how the rest of us feel when the two of you go into full-on rabbit mode."

"Speaking of rabbit mode," Luna said laughing. "The other day when Caroline asked you about being the King of All Rabbits, Harry...I nearly lost it...."

Harry laughed too. "How do you explain that to a four year old?" he agreed. "Good thing I managed to get the conversation to Ron and his never full stomach."

"I was grateful for the save, mate," Ron said. "Caroline reminds me so much of Maddie. She's four going on forty and never forgets anything."

"Maddie used to remember everything you said," Luna smiled.

"Still does," Ron said. He looked at Luna. "She really scared me last night. I felt like there wasn't anything I could do."

"She was very put together once we got to the Ministry," Hermione replied. "We used a Pensieve to watch her vision. She literally had to relive what she saw- something I'm afraid she'll probably have to get used to."

"She was so brave to do what she did," Luna said softly. "I know how scared she was and then she was able to see..."

Luna felt tears well up in her eyes as she remembered Maddie seeing her grandmother in the vision.

"What?" Ron asked, nudging his wife gently.

She told him what Maddie had told her.

"I know you're sceptical about all of this," Luna explained. "But it was like my mum was showing her the way. The biggest regret of my life is that my mother never got the chance to meet our children; to meet her great-grandchildren."

Harry smiled sadly at that. "I know that feeling all too well," he muttered.

Luna nodded sympathetically. "It's so unfair, isn't it?"

"I could say a lot of things aren't fair in my life," Harry replied. "But I won't, because out of all the bad things that have happened, I've gotten some amazing things in return." he tightened his hold around Hermione.

"Harry," Hermione said hugging him back. "You have the family you always wanted; the family you deserved. I hate that you had to grow up thinking you didn't deserve that."

Ron laughed. "I tell you Hermione, as soon as Mum met him our first day of Hogwarts, he had her won over. That bloody waif, glasses and messy hair with too big clothes went right to where it counts. Harry didn't even have to say a word to her before she was hugging him like the long lost son she never had."

"She could hurt someone with those hugs," Harry said laughing.

"I swear I've felt my bones crack more than once," Ron joked.

"Do you remember how she hugged Nick that first time she met him?" Luna asked. "She held on to him and wouldn't let go."

"I remember his face," Ron chuckled. "He had that same look as you Harry- the "I'm never going to be able to breathe again" look."

"But he needed to know that there was someone who loved him," Luna said. "He certainly didn't have it growing up."

Ron shook his head. "Sometimes if I think enough about it I can't believe my sister turned out the way she did."

Hermione had never known Ginny Weasley as anything but selfish, self-absorbed and cruel. It was hard to picture her as anything else, but the three people in the room with her could remember a time when Ginny was a sweet, caring girl.

"Neither can I," Luna agreed. "There was a time when she and I were friends."

"You'll have to excuse me if I don't have a mental image for that," Hermione replied. "The first time she talked to me was to blackmail me about Harry."

"She and I were close up to our last year at Hogwarts," Luna said quietly. "I don't know what happened to her, but after that, she changed. She started treating me like everyone else did---like I was some sort of defect. I didn't care when people I didn't know said it, but when someone I thought was my friend did, it really hurt."

Ron put an arm around her. "At least you had us once you got to Hillsdale."

"I sure did," Luna said dreamily. "Thanks to that starry night by the lake..."

"Should we leave the room?" Harry joked.

"No," Luna said rolling her eyes. "We were just travelling down memory lane..."

The back door opened and the sound of laughter filled the room.

"It would have been nice if you'd asked if I was okay before you started laughing, Jon," R.J. was saying as he came into the sitting room.

"R.J.?" Luna asked. "Why are you all wet?"

Josh and Jon looked at each other before bursting into laughter again. "If you'd only have seen it," Jon snorted. "R.J. manages to land a bite so what does he do?"

"Freak out, drop the pole and we told him he'd have to go in after it." Josh added.

"He refuses to go so what does Josh do?" Jon interjected.

"I just rocked the boat a bit," Josh said defensively.

"And I fell in," R.J. finished glaring at his twin brothers. "At least Josh offered to help me back in the boat. Jon here was too busy laughing himself silly."

"What can I say mate?" Jon clapped his younger brother on the shoulder. "At least you managed to save the pole."

"I ought to have hit you over the head with it," R.J. retorted over his shoulder as he went off to find a towel.

Jon grinned at his parents. "It really was funny." he said.

"Aye, it was great." Josh chuckled.

"Nice to see you boys getting along," Ron said. "Well at least two of you anyway."

"We're getting along fine," Jon said sitting down beside his father. "R.J. was having a good time too until he fell in..."

Josh smiled at his twin. "Thanks for coming out there with me," he said. "I really did have a great time."

"Who knew you could actually have a good time?" Jon joked.

"Funny," Josh smirked. "Who knew you could buckle down and do something without Allie there to hold your hand?" he snickered back.

"Very funny," Jon said shaking his head. "Very funny and how long was it before you made an honest woman out of Lizzy?"

Josh grinned. "Got me there."

"So did you lot catch anything?" Ron asked his sons.

"Other than R.J., no." Josh said, looking at Jon as they both started laughing again.

"What?" Ron asked.

"It was just really funny," Jon replied. "His face as he fell over the side..."

"At least I didn't think it would be easier to use wands to catch fish," R.J. said as he came back in the room.

"What- a simple Accio would take care of all our fishing troubles," Jon said.

"You'd probably have managed to screw that up," R.J. joked.

Luna stood up and kissed first R.J. on the cheek and then Josh and Jon.

"What was that for?" Josh asked.

"Because you're getting along!" Luna said happily.

"Okay Mum," R.J. said, embarrassed.

"I could have given you a Nana bear hug," Luna teased.

"I'd rather be able to breathe thanks," R.J. smiled at his mother.

"Where is my better half?" Jon asked.

"She, Lizzy, Julie, Drew, Darla and Maddie went shopping," Hermione answered. "And Ethan has his own personal fan club with Caroline, Ashley and Katie. They have him out on the beach probably wearing him and Nick out."

"Those three probably have them buried neck high in sand," Josh said. "Think we should go help them out?"

"I think so," Jon said with a laugh. "They probably need reinforcements."

"Back out there we go. Gives R.J. a chance to dry off before dinner." Josh cracked.

"It figures that the two of them get along at my expense," R.J. grumbled following his brothers out the door.

"Come on R.J. you have to go through what Drew and Darla put Maddie through." Jon said, bumping his brother.

"Not as bad as that?" R.J. asked.

Josh and Jon turned to him with equal identical grins.

"I hate you both," R.J. said glaring at them.

"No you don't," Jon replied calmly.

"Okay," R.J. said. "Perhaps hate is too strong a word. But I'm not liking you both right now."

"Maybe we should bury him next to Nick and Ethan," Josh said to his brother.

"You wouldn't," R.J. said but he knew without a shadow of a doubt that they probably would. Luckily, salvation arrived in the form of the brown-haired four-year old running toward her father.

"DADDY!" Caroline screamed excitedly.

"Hey baby," Jon swung his daughter high up in the air.

"I haven't seen you all day!" she said laughing.

"I was out with Uncle Josh and Uncle R.J.” Jon tweaked her nose. "But now I'm all yours if you want sweetheart."

"Wait until you see what we did to Uncle Nick," Caroline said pointing down the beach.

"Uh oh," Jon began laughing. "What did you guys do?"

"Uncle Ethan helped us bury him in the sand," Caroline said. "And Katie and Ashley won't let him get out!"

"So you spared Ethan but buried Nick aye?" Josh snickered.

"Ethan took us on the boat, Daddy," Caroline said as if this was the most obvious answer in the world.

"Hey baby girl, you want to help us bury your Uncle R.J. in the sand?" Josh asked his niece.

"Yes!" Caroline said excitedly. R.J. groaned in reply.

"The two of you nearly drowned me today," R.J. said. "Isn't that enough torture?"

"You're the one that let the fish get away," Jon said, hoisting his daughter on his back.

"At least I caught a fish," R.J. retorted.

Jon and Josh exchanged another glance and grinned at R.J. again.

"Caroline?" R.J. asked seeing her as his only hope. "You want to help your uncle out here? You don't really want to bury me in the sand do you?"

Caroline gave him a sweet smile. "My daddy wants me to," she said as if that explained everything.

"I'm going to just go back to the cottage," R.J. said starting to backtrack, but Josh grabbed his arm.

"No, you don't," Josh said. "Remember what you said earlier, R.J. You'd do whatever I wanted to do today..."

"That shouldn't include torturing me!" R.J. said huffily.

"Should we let him off the hook?" Josh asked his brother and niece. "What do you think?"

"It's up to my little Caroline here," Jon said.

"Caroline," R.J. said smiling sweetly at her. "Come on. Remember...I played tea party with you yesterday. I even helped you out when you hurt your leg..."

"Okay Uncle R.J.," Caroline grinned at him. "Maybe I can bury you in sand tomorrow!"

"Thank you," R.J. said squeezing her foot. "You are the best!"

"That tickles!" Caroline squealed.

"MATES?" Nick called out. "A little help here..."

Jon, Josh and R.J. all saw Nick at the same time, buried up to his chin in sand and began to laugh. "Looks like you got yourself into a tough situation eh Malfoy?" Jon teased.

"We've got him good and buried," Ashley said stacking more sand.

"Sweetheart that's enough sand on Daddy," Nick said, getting desperate. The sand was itchy and it was also wet and cold.

"Are you ready to get out?" Ashley asked.

"Daddy's been ready to get out for the past fifteen minutes," Nick replied.

Ethan laughed. "You could have avoided this and gone shopping with the ladies..."

"Julie's doing a good enough job on our Gringotts charge as it is," Nick grinned.

"Drew and Darla are the ones you have to worry about," Josh said. "The two of them could spend the rest of their lives in a shop. I still have bad memories of taking them shopping to get school supplies. It too them forever to pick things out."

"Because they had to buy about twelve other things too," R.J. chimed in as the girls began to unbury Nick.

Ethan grinned. "Saffy's the same way. Mum and Dad usually let Jules take her out now."

"So we may never see the women again the rest of the holiday," Josh mused.

"This could be good or bad," Jon said.

"It has to be bad Daddy," Caroline said. "Why would you not want to see Mummy again?"

"It's just an expression, sweetheart," Jon said scooping her up in his arms. "You know that Daddy would be very sad if I couldn't see your mummy again."

"I would be very sad too," Caroline nodded.

"You don't have to worry baby girl," Jon said. "Your mummy's going to be back and I'm sure that she bought you something while she was out."

"A present?" Caroline brightened. "I love presents!"

"So do I!" Katie exclaimed. "I hope my mummy got me something too!"

"Finally!" Nick pulled himself up out of the hole. "I'm not so sure either of you deserve a present," he said to his daughters. "Not after burying me in the sand there!" he grinned at them. "I think this calls for a dunking in the ocean!"

"No, Daddy!" Katie squealed taking off down the beach followed by Ashley. Nick ran off after them.

"Watch out for the soldier fish!" Caroline called out to them.

Ethan laughed as Nick managed to catch up to his daughters and grab them in his arms. "We did bury him down pretty deep," he said.

"I don't envy him one bit," Josh said. "R.J. mate, you lucked out."

"For now anyway," R.J. cast a glare at his twin brothers.

"There's Mummy and Auntie Lizzy!" Caroline said pointing to where the two women were walking down the beach toward them.

"Let's go meet her okay?" Jon asked his daughter.

"Piggy back ride?" Caroline asked holding her hands up.

"For you? Anytime," Jon laughed as she climbed up. "Away we go!" he began to run, purposely bouncing her up and down. He loved hearing her laughter in his ear.

"Mummy!" Caroline squealed.

"Hi sweetheart!" Allison grinned as Caroline flew from Jon's back to her arms. "Are you having fun with Daddy?"

"He just got back," Caroline replied burying her face in Allison's shoulder. "Katie, Ashley and me buried Uncle Nick in the sand."

"It was classic, Al," Jon said laughing at the memory of it. "The big rock star buried in sand and unable to move..."

Allison laughed too. "You didn't dig him out already did you?"

"We did," Caroline admitted. "But tomorrow we are going to bury Uncle R.J."

"I'll be sure and come around for that," Allison winked.

"Daddy said you bought me a present," Caroline said.

"I did," Allison said. "It's up on the patio. You want to come up with me and Daddy to get it?"

"Yes!" Caroline bounced excitedly in her mother's arms. "I love presents!"

Lizzy laughed. "I'm going to go find Josh. I'll see you guys later."

Jon nodded and followed his wife back up the beach. "So what sort of damage did you do? I'm not going to have to teach extra lessons, am I?"

"Very funny," Allison replied. "I actually didn't buy much. But you should see what your twin sisters talked Maddie into."

"What?" Jon asked intrigued.

Allison laughed. "Let's just say it's a swim costume that doesn't leave much to the imagination. I was surprised she bought it but I guess the thought of Ethan's eyes popping out of his head when he sees her in it was too much to pass up."

"How about you?" Jon asked winking at her. "Did you buy anything like that?"

Allison gave him a devilish look. "Here we go Caroline," she handed her daughter a box.

Caroline grinned and sat down on the patio before she tore into the box.

"Crayons and finger paint!" Caroline said excitedly. "Thanks, Mummy!"

Allison smiled as Caroline gave her an enthusiastic hug. "You're welcome sweetheart."

"I can make a picture for Grandpa Neville and Grandma Cho!" Caroline said. "And I can even do one for Max!"

"I bet they'll love a picture," Allison said as Caroline gathered up her new crafts and went inside. "And for your information Mr. Weasley..."

"Yes?" Jon asked.

"I did snag a little surprise for you for later," Allison wound her arms around his neck.

"Do I get a hint?" he asked leaning in and kissing her. "I am guessing you didn't get me crayons and paint..."

Allison laughed. "No... Just a little something to unwrap me in at bedtime."

"I like the sound of that," Jon said. "Too bad it's not bedtime now."

"Only a few hours," Allison leaned in and kissed him.

"You'll be happy to know," Jon said as they sat back down on the steps. "That Josh, R.J. and I had a nice brother bonding experience."

Allison grinned at him. "I knew if you guys just spent a little time with him things would be okay."

"You're dying to say you told me so, aren't you?" he asked her.

"Do I really have to?" she leaned against him.

"No," he said, putting an arm around her. "You were right. We just needed to find some sort of common ground."

Allison gave him another kiss. "I love you Jon," she said.

"I love you too," he said softly.

Down on the beach, Lizzy finally found Josh who was chatting with Nick.

"So," she said smiling at him. "I take it things went well today?"

"They did," Josh gave her a kiss.

"Good," she said. "Your sisters wore me out."

"Buy anything?" he asked.

"A couple of things," Lizzy replied. "Drew and Darla bought way too much. They kept saying they were going to write everything off as a business expense."

Nick shook his head. "I just can't wait to see the damage my wife did."

"It wasn't as bad as Drew and Darla," Lizzy told him. "But it was close."

"Great," Nick laughed. "Guess I'll have to take on an extra job."

"Or two," Lizzy deadpanned.

"As long as I don't let my nieces bury me again," Nick replied. "My own daughters had me neck high in sand."

"I wish I could have seen that," Lizzy said laughing.

"You'll see us bury R.J. tomorrow." Nick promised.

"No you won't," R.J. yelled out. "I'm not letting you lot bury me."

"That's what you think!" Nick shouted back.

"How about Dad?" R.J. suggested. "Why don't we bury him?"

"How about we bury you both?" Nick asked.

"Now I'm liking that idea, Nick," Josh said grinning at him.

"Sod off you," R.J. snapped.

"R.J., I'm sure no one is going to bury you in the sand," Lizzy reassured him. "Your brothers are adults."

"Yes but the girls aren't." R.J. replied.

"How about we bury good old Dr. Ryan Burke in the sand?" Nick asked only half joking.

"Don't let Jules hear you say that," Lizzy replied.

"I'm not so stupid to say that in front of her," Nick said. "And I know she loves me and only me, but I wouldn't mind seeing the lousy git buried up to his neck in sand."

Lizzy laughed. "Nick you're a goof."

"I'm the goof that got the girl," Nick said with a grin.

Josh and Lizzy laughed. "Speaking of girls," she said conspiratorially. "If you guys want to see Ethan's eyes bug out of his head wait until you see Maddie in her new bikini."

Josh frowned. "I don't want to hear about my baby sister in a new bikini. To me, she's always going to be this adorable four-year old girl with a Cornish Pixie."

"Aye," Nick nodded. "That's how she still is to me in my head."

Lizzy laughed as she saw Maddie approaching the beach wearing the bikini in question. She also saw Ethan nearly get whiplash as he also saw her.

"Something tells me that's not how Ethan sees her," Lizzy joked.

"Obviously," Nick said with a smirk.

"Maddie," Ethan's eyes were wide. "What... you wearing..." she had on a white bikini that was made of some sort of shimmery material that almost seemed to make her glow.

"Drew and Darla sort of talked me into buying it," Maddie said blushing. "It's not something I'd normally buy..."

"You look amazing," Ethan said quietly so everyone didn't have to hear.

"I do?" Maddie asked beaming at him. "Really?"

"I'm a little uh..." Ethan couldn't seem to form words.

"Speechless?" Maddie asked. It was the reaction Drew and Darla had said she'd get if she bought the bikini.

"Yeah," Ethan ignored everything else as he focused on her. "Wow..."

Maddie smiled. "I um haven't seen you all day," she said softly. "I missed you."

"I wanted to let you sleep this morning," Ethan replied. "You were so tired last night." he gulped as she stepped closer. "Not to say I didn't enjoy what we did when you came back..."

"When we did this?" Maddie said boldly kissing him.

"Mmmph..." Ethan's eyebrows shot up in surprise but he returned her kiss, ignoring the catcalls coming from other beach patrons.

"Was that what you were talking about?" Maddie asked dreamily when they pulled apart.

"Something like that," Ethan replied dumbly.

Maddie giggled. "So..."

"Want to go for a walk... somewhere private?" Ethan asked hopefully. "We could steal the boat and go out on the ocean... by ourselves."

Maddie pretended to mull this over in her head. She tried not to laugh at the worried expression on his face.

"Having you to myself sounds like heaven," she finally said.

Ethan grinned. "That goes double for me," He replied, squeezing her hand. "Come on, the keys are still on there."

"You going out again, mate?" Nick asked calling out to Ethan.

"Be back before dinner," Ethan shouted back noncommittally. He grinned at all of them as he helped Maddie climb aboard.

"Quite the gentleman," Maddie said as she sat down.

"I try," Ethan grinned, starting the motor.

"What did you and the girls do?" Maddie asked conversationally. "Very brave of you to go out all by yourself with them."

"We just rode around mainly," Ethan shouted over the wind as he took them out. "They like it when I go really fast!"

Maddie held on to the bottom of her seat. "I like it when you go real fast, too!"

"Okay then," he turned back to grin at her. She was holding onto her seat with one hand and holding her hair back with the other so it didn't get completely unmanageable. "Here we go!" he gunned the motor so the boat would go as fast as he could make it go.

Maddie laughed. "You're wild, Ethan!"

He laughed too. "Why don't you come drive?" he suggested.

"Really," she said shakily getting to her feet.

"Come on," he slowed the boat down. "I'll stand right here with you."

Maddie smiled and stood in front of him. "So what do I have to do?"

"Just hold the steering wheel," Ethan placed his hands over hers. "I'll make it go as fast as you want to take it."

"Okay," Maddie said. "Let's start out slow...if that's okay?"

"That's fine," Ethan moved himself behind her. "Just hold the wheel steady- make sure you watch the horizon for any other boats, and if you see a flag in the water that means there's someone diving and we should try to avoid those areas."

Maddie nodded. "This is really nice."

"Yes it is," Ethan inhaled the scent of her hair, which smelled like wildflowers. His hands left hers on the wheel and he slid them around her waist instead.

"That is really nice," Maddie said softly.

"You're really nice," Ethan said in her ear.

Maddie smiled. "Can we stop...the boat? Just for a few minutes?"

"Sure," Ethan put his hand on the speed controller and eased it so the boat stopped moving. They were out so far they could barely see land and there were no other boats around. "Are you feeling all right? Not seasick or anything?"

She turned around to face him. "No, I'm not seasick. I just wanted you to kiss me is all."

"Oh," He grinned. "Ask and you shall receive," he leaned in and covered her mouth with his.

Maddie wound her fingers through his hair and kissed him back. This is the perfect day, she thought.

Her skin was warm, her hair slightly damp due to the ocean spray. He crushed her body against his, appreciating just how much skin her bikini left uncovered.

"I love you," she whispered in between kisses. "So much..."

"I love you too," Ethan muttered back. "I'm never letting you go Maddie."

Maddie smiled. "For the first time, I feel like everything's falling into place. I have you and I think I've found my calling---what I was meant to do. I'm just so...happy."

He grinned at her. "I'm glad you're happy." he said. "You make me happy."

"A part of me keeps waiting for the other shoe to drop," she admitted. "Like it can't be this good, can it?"

"Well... I guess these are typically called the honeymoon days," Ethan laughed. "You know, before the reality sets in."

"Before we get back to our real lives back home," she said.

"Exactly," he said, sitting down on the long sofa like seat and pulling her down next to him.

"We go home in a couple of days," Maddie said. "Are you looking forward to getting back to training?"

"Not really," he chuckled. "Well I am, but I have some of my toughest training courses ahead of me."

"You've never been one to back away from a challenge," Maddie said truthfully. "I'm sure you're going to do fine. You'll be the best Auror Ethan. It's in your blood."

"I'm just glad we're sort of going to be working in the same field," Ethan said.

"There's no guarantee that the Department of Mysteries is even going to want to me," Maddie said resting her head on his chest. "I could be right back where I started from on my graduation day...not sure what I want to do with the rest of my life."

"Of course they'll want you," Ethan replied. "Especially if you've got the support of the Minister behind you."

"I know," Maddie said. "But I don't want people to say I got the job because of who I know. You understand, right? You didn't want special treatment just because of who your parents were, right?"

"No, you're right." Ethan nodded and pulled her closer. "But after last night Mads, they'd be crazy to not take you."

"I'm not usually this insecure," she said blushing. "I'm just hoping that this isn't just a fluke. I know in my heart that I can do this."

"It's something new," Ethan reassured her. "Well- not really new, but you're realising exactly what's going on. It's a big step."

"I really am sorry for scaring you last night," she told him.

"Don't apologise," Ethan said cupping her face in his hand.

"I was afraid it might have scared you off," Maddie admitted. "But last night you were so supportive. It meant a lot to me."

"You mean a lot to me," Ethan replied. "And nothing you do at this point is going to scare me off Mads. You're stuck with me."

"Forever and a day?" she asked grinning at him.

"Two days," he grinned back. She leaned in and kissed him again and he fell back on the bench.

They kissed for a long while- forgetting about the time. Ethan felt like days had passed once they pulled apart and were breathing heavily.

“Wow,” he chuckled. “Where’d the sun go?”

“We’ve been out here too long,” Maddie said. “Everyone’s going to worry about us.”

“It’ll be okay,” Ethan replied. “But talk about being able to stargaze- it’s not even fully night but look at all the stars out here.”

“It’s gorgeous,” Maddie agreed softly, pulling her legs up to her chest. It had grown cold and she still only had the tiny bikini on. Ethan noticed her shiver and reached under the bench and pulled out a blanket.

“Here,” he wrapped it around her.

“Thank you,” Maddie gave him a grateful kiss. He let his lips linger on hers for a few more minutes. “It’s not that I’m not enjoying this but maybe we should go in. I really don’t want anyone to worry.”

“Okay,” Ethan sent her a grin. “Want to drive us back?”

“Sure,” Maddie replied. “But only if you’ll help me.”

“Of course I will,” he replied. She kept the blanket wrapped around her as she stood in front of him. “I’ll control the speed while you steer. And I’ll show you which dock is ours when we get closer.”

“Sounds good,” she shivered again, but more from Ethan’s closeness than the cool night air.

He kept their speed steady as they headed back for the beach. Maddie did a rather good job of keeping them inline while looking out for any flags or boats still on the water.

“Nice job,” Ethan said admiringly as she pulled close to the dock. He took over from her and manoeuvred it the rest of the way in.

“Thanks,” she said, pleased. “I’m going to wear this in.” she indicated the blanket.

“Okay,” he grinned. “Don’t want your dad to see your new swim costume?”

“That and it’s still cold,” Maddie laughed. “I’ll try and run upstairs to change before I go into the kitchen.”

Ethan took her hand and they ran across the sand and back to the house.

33. Chapter 33

Authors' note: Thanks to everyone who keeps reading and reviewing. More fun at Brighton for the HP crew...Ethan gets "the talk" from Maddie's brothers...even RJ. As always please leave us a line or two at the end of the chapter to let us know what you think.

This chapter marks the end of their Brighton visit- the next one starts a few months after they’re back- and gets more into the real life things that are going on.

“There you two are!” Hermione said. She’d been coming from upstairs into the sitting room.

“We’re sorry Mum,” Ethan said. “We were out there and we um… lost track of the time.”

“I’m sure you did,” Hermione shook her head. “Maddie when you get a chance I’d like a word. I have something I’d like to show you.”

“Sure,” Maddie blushed. “Let me go… change into something and I’ll be right down.”

Ethan watched her go and looked back at his mother. “We really didn’t mean to make you worry.” He said.

“Nick told us you two went off on the boat. If you’d been much later your father and Ron would have been out looking for you,” Hermione said. “Ethan… are you and Maddie… are you two—“

“No Mum we’re not,” Ethan replied. “Maddie’s already told me she wants to wait until she’s married.” He smiled. “I told her that was fine with me.”

Hermione seemed to be taken aback for a moment then hugged her son. “You’re so much like your father. You’re so sweet just like he is.”

“Like I always said, a chip off the old block,” Ethan laughed. “I love her Mum. I’d do anything for her.”

That almost made tears gather in Hermione’s eyes but Maddie chose that moment to come back downstairs, dressed in pyjama bottoms and a t shirt. “Okay,” she said softly. “Sorry about that.”

“It’s okay love,” Hermione smiled at the young woman. “I just wanted to show you something I came across in the library- it’s a book on Seers.”

Maddie sent Ethan a smile over her shoulder as she followed his mother into the library and he headed upstairs to change.

“I thought we could look through it with your mother, if you like,” Hermione smiled at her. “I knew I had something up there but I wasn’t sure where- it gives details on how Seers in the past were able to keep the visions fresh in their heads for scrutiny and also some tips on keeping their cool in tough situations like you faced the other night.”

Luna looked up as her daughter entered with Hermione. “I was getting worried about you sweetheart,” she chastised gently but with a smile. “You and Ethan had fun out there?”

“Yes Mum,” Maddie said.

Luna smiled. She knew Maddie probably didn't wish to discuss her outing with Ethan in front of Hermione.

"It certainly was a beautiful day," Luna said motioning for Maddie to sit down beside her.

"Yes it was," Maddie agreed. "Ethan let me drive the boat."

Hermione grinned. "With how much he loves to be out on the water, it's so hard for me to picture that scared little boy who used to be so frightened about the water."

Maddie laughed. "He acts as if he was born in it now." she blushed. "He's a very good teacher."

While Maddie, Hermione and Luna looked over the book, the three Weasley brothers stood outside Ethan's bedroom door.

Jon knocked on the door. "Open up, Potter. We know you're in there!"

Ethan opened the door and looked out. "Hey guys," he greeted them.

Jon, Josh and R.J. stood side-by-side, their arms crossed and stern expressions on their faces.

"Out pretty late, weren't you?" Josh asked coolly.

"We lost track of time," Ethan looked between the three of them. "Plus I was letting Maddie drive the boat and she wanted to go slow. She's never driven anything before."

"She's also never had a boyfriend before," R.J. pointed out, looking directly at Ethan.

Ethan crossed his arms too. "Do you think I'd use that to take advantage of her?" he suddenly realised why the three of them were there.

"I don't know, Ethan," Jon said walking around him. "Would you?"

"Never," Ethan said immediately.

"What are your intentions toward my big sister?" R.J. asked imitating Jon's stance.

Ethan stared at them. "Maddie's already made herself perfectly clear on what she will and won't do before she gets married," he replied. "She even asked me if I wanted to bother if I knew I wasn't going to... take her to bed before she got married. Know what I told her?"

"What?" Josh asked, his arms still folded.

"That I'd be crazy to let something like that stop me from being with her," Ethan replied. "She's an amazing person- I consider myself lucky that she's said she loves me as much as I love her."

Jon, Josh and R.J. exchanged looks. For the longest time, neither of them spoke.

"Okay then," Jon finally said. "That's...that's good to hear."

Ethan shook his head and suddenly grinned. "Did you think all three of you would have to go big brother on me?"

"Two of us anyway," Josh said looking at R.J.

"Age is nothing but a number," R.J. said finally breaking into a smile.

All four of them laughed. "I'm sure she appreciates the thought," Ethan said.

"Maybe you shouldn't tell her," Jon joked.

Josh shook his head. "Listen, Ethan. We're just looking out for Maddie...."

"Understandable," Ethan said. "I'll probably be the same way with any bloke Saffy brings home."

"Merlin help the bloke that Saffy brings home," R.J. said with a shudder.

Ethan laughed. "It'll be the guy against me, Dad and Nick."

"Mental note to self, never date Saffron Potter," R.J. muttered.

"You couldn't you idiot," Jon said. "Not if Ethan here marries our sister."

"I wasn't saying I was going to," R.J. said quickly. "I was just saying that I wouldn't want to put up with that kind of pressure..."

"Sure," Jon said with a grin.

"Shut it Jon," R.J. retorted.

"This morning it was the two of them picking on me," Josh whispered to Ethan. "Now they're fighting."

"Guess that's how it is having brothers aye?" Ethan laughed. "Sort of makes me glad I have sisters instead."

"You can take either of them if you like," Josh said laughing at his brothers' verbal sparring.

"You like that Hufflepuff girl, don't you?" Jon asked with a grin. "That one we saw you with when we picked you up at Kings' Cross. What was her name, R.J.? Was it Bonnie? Connie?"

"Connie- and I don't like her, not like that anyway." R.J. snapped.

"Nah he likes that girl in Gryffindor," Josh said. "What was it- Julie...Julia Winters or something? Maddie was talking about her."

"Her name isn't Julie. It's Juliet, Josh," R.J. corrected. "And I don't like her. We're just friends."

"Suuuure," Jon and Josh chorused together.

"I don't," R.J. said defensively. He started back for the stairs, but Josh and Jon weren't finished with him yet. They followed him with Ethan in tow.

"Go away," R.J. said walking into the sitting room where Luna was sitting with Maddie and Hermione. "Mum? Can you get these two wankers to leave me alone, please?"

Luna looked up and saw her twin sons grinning with Ethan behind them shaking his head. "What's wrong?"

"Ron Junior here has a girlfriend," Josh said before R.J. could get a word in edgewise. "Juliet Winters."

"Do you realise brother, dear," Jon asked putting an arm around R.J. "That if you two got married, she wouldn't have to change her monogram..."

"Mum," R.J. pleaded. "I'm not getting married. Maddie tell them that Juliet and I are just friends!"

"I thought her name was Julia," Maddie said in confusion.

"I thought so too," R.J. said. "But it's actually Juliet. Her mother's this big Shakespeare fan...."

"He knows an awful lot about his future wife, doesn't he?" Josh asked Jon.

"Shut up!" R.J. snapped. "You two are driving me mad!"

"Jon, Josh that's enough," Luna said. "Leave your brother alone."

"We were only trying to learn more about our future sister-in-law," Josh argued when he saw the look on Luna's face, he decided it might be a good idea to let this drop...for now. "Come on, Jon. Let's go and get some butterbeer."

"You're on," Jon said following him into the kitchen.

"They were only having a go at you, R.J.," Maddie told her younger brother who was sulking in a chair. "Don't take it so seriously."

"Yeah but just this morning they were arguing with each other and then everything's fine between them and they gang up on me," R.J. complained.

"After the three of you ganged up on me a few minutes ago,'" Ethan pointed out.

"Ganged up on you?" Maddie asked. "Whatever for?"

"Butterbeer sounds really good actually," R.J. made a hasty escape.

"Ethan?" Maddie asked. "What did my brothers do?"

"Just gave me the big brother talk," Ethan said. "No big deal."

"The big brother talk?" Maddie asked. "You mean they wanted to know what your intentions were toward me...something like that?"

Luna and Hermione tilted their heads and said "Awwww...."

"Mum that's not cute," Maddie flushed. "Ethan I'm so sorry I had no idea they'd do that."

"They were looking out for you," Luna said. "They might not have gone about it in the best way, but it is sweet."

Maddie shook her head. "But they know Ethan wouldn't do anything bad to me."

"They do," Luna said smiling at Ethan. "They just wanted to hear it for themselves. Don't be too hard on them, Madeline."

"They weren't that bad, Maddie," Ethan said.

"Are you sure?" Maddie asked.

"Yes," Ethan said smiling reassuringly at her. "And I think we all came to an understanding. So, no harm done."

"All right," Maddie sent him a shy smile.

Saffron walked into the room and plopped down beside her mother.

"I am so bored!" she said leaning back on the sofa.

"I'm sorry sweetheart," Hermione stroked her daughter's hair back.

"I wish I could go flying," Saffron said softly. "But I know I can't."

"I'm glad you're being mature about it," Hermione said.

"I'm trying," Saffron said smiling at her mother. "Did you want to go for a walk or something? Before dinner?"

"I'd love to," Hermione replied. "Maddie, feel free to keep that book if it's of any use to you all right?"

"Okay," Maddie said. "Thanks, Aunt Hermione."

Saffron grabbed her jacket by the door as Hermione did the same.

"Thanks for agreeing to come with me, Mum," Saffron said as they walked out onto the beach. "I've had about enough of playing exploding snap with Katie and Ashley."

"I'm always happy to spend time with you," Hermione replied. "You're my girl Saffy."

"We haven't had that much time together over the holiday," Saffron said apologetically.

"Everyone's been a bit busy haven't they?" Hermione asked. "You helping Uncle Ron beat your Dad with the sandcastles..."

"You don't think he's mad at me for that, do you?" Saffron interjected.

"Of course he isn't," Hermione said.

Saffron smiled. "I just felt bad because Uncle Ron and Caroline were all by themselves and Daddy was with Katie and Ashley. They needed my help a lot more than Dad did."

"You three built a lovely sand castle," Hermione grinned. "I think it was worth it to see the look on your Dad's face when you joined their team."

"That was great, wasn't it?" Saffron said with a laugh.

"I'll certainly never forget it," Hermione laughed as she bent over to retrieve a small white shell that was half buried in the sand.

"I really like it here," Saffron said looking out at the ocean. "You know what I've been doing almost every morning? I come out here and just look out at the ocean."

Hermione grinned. "I've done that too a few times. Your dad found me out here just a few days ago."

"Dad got up early?" Saffron asked amazed.

"Amazing but true," Hermione said, slipping the shell into her pocket.

"He's been spending a lot of time with Katie and Ashley," Saffron said quietly.

"He misses them," Hermione replied. "With Nick doing that new album and Julie facing the end of her school year we haven't seen them in a few months so he's making up for lost time." she put an arm around her daughter.

Saffron nodded. "He hasn't seen me since January either. And then I couldn't come home for Easter break because you were out of town..."

Hermione realised where this was all heading. "So you want to spend some time with your Dad, is that it?" she asked gently.

Saffron shrugged. "Don't tell him, Mum. I don't want him to spend time with me out of some sort of obligation..."

"Spending time with you is never an obligation for him Saffy," Hermione replied. "He loves you so much."

Saffron sighed. "Before I came downstairs, I was with Katie and Ashley playing another game of Exploding Snap and Dad came in and the two of them just took him over, Mum. I felt like I was in the way. He didn't even notice when I walked out."

Hermione stopped and pulled her daughter close for a hug. "I have an idea," she said.

"What?" Saffron asked.

"After dinner why don't you ask your dad to go somewhere tomorrow, just the two of you?" Hermione suggested. "I bet he'd jump at the chance to spend the day with you sweetheart."

"Yeah right," Saffron said. "It's not important, Mum. Let's just keep walking."

"I think you should," Hermione said. "You can go into town, go out on the boat, go down the beach somewhere and make your own sand castle..."

Harry came down the beach with Katie on his back and Ashley tugging on his hand.

"There you two are," Harry said. "Ron just ordered pizza..."

Saffron saw her father with her nieces and shook her head then took off running down the beach.

"Saffy!" Hermione called out, but Saffron was already gone.

"What's wrong with Auntie Saffy?" Katie asked.

Hermione looked at Harry. "She feels um..." she tried to think of a delicate way to phrase this in front of her granddaughters. "She wants to do stuff with you Harry."

"She can go out with us on the boat tomorrow!" Katie said excitedly. "Grandma, Grandpa said he was going to take us out tomorrow."

"He did, did he?" Hermione reached for her youngest granddaughter. "I think your Grandpa needs to go talk to your aunt right now."

"He does?" Katie asked. "But the pizza's going to be here any minute!"

"Come on girls," Hermione said. "Why don't you and I go back up to the house so Uncle Ron doesn't order the wrong type of pizza. You know how he likes those anchovies..."

"Ew anchovies are so gross," Ashley agreed. Hermione gave her husband a look as he headed down the beach where Saffron had disappeared.

Saffron was further down the beach throwing seashells back into the ocean. Tears were flowing down her cheeks when she heard her father's familiar voice behind her. She didn't say anything; just stood there with her back to him.

"Saffy," Harry slowed down. "Why did you run off back there?"

"It's not important," Saffron said throwing another shell into the ocean.

"Anything you do is important to me," Harry replied, catching her small fist in his. He saw the tears on her face and felt his heart break. "Why don't you tell me why you're crying?" he asked gently.

"I-I'm not crying," Saffron whimpered.

"Saffron," Harry said. "Come on you know you can tell me anything."

Saffron looked up at her father, but couldn't find the words to tell him how she was feeling.

"It's nothing," Saffron said wiping her tears away. "Really. You should get back, Dad. I'm just going to stay out here for awhile..."

"You're not staying out here alone," Harry replied.

"As if you'd notice," Saffron retorted before she could stop herself.

Harry raised his eyebrows. "I beg your pardon?" he asked.

"I'm away at school most of the year," Saffron began. "Christmas holiday at the Burrow, you spent all your time with Katie and Ashley. I couldn't come home for Easter break because both you and Mum were out of town. And now, we've been here and every single time I turn around, you're with them again, Dad! Every single time!"

Harry was speechless for a moment. "Saffy I'm sorry." he said. "I don't mean to spend all my time with them and not you. I thought you were having fun all on your own here and didn't need your old dad bugging you."

"Well you were wrong," Saffron said quietly. "I'd have been better off just staying at Hogwarts this summer."

"Saffron Grace," Harry replied. "You would not be better off at Hogwarts. You belong here with your family." he hugged her tightly. "I love you so much. You're my baby girl, whether or not you like me to call you that."

Saffron hugged him back. "You do?"

"Are you kidding?" Harry grinned at her. "I love spending time with you Saffy."

"You've spent all your free time with Katie and Ashley," Saffron argued. "A few minutes ago when we were all upstairs you...you even told them they were your f-favourite girls...."

"Of course I told them that," Harry said. "They are my favourite girls. But so are your Mum, and Julie. And you- always you Saffy."

Saffron gave him a weak smile.

"I'm sorry, Dad," she said hugging him again. "I just..."

"Its okay love," Harry replied. "I'm sorry that you felt neglected."

Saffron nodded. "I just felt left out and since I'm sharing a room with them, I have to keep hearing them go on and on about how much fun they're having with you, Dad. I know they don't get to see you that often, but neither do I.'"

"Okay," Harry said. "Tomorrow- I'll have Ethan take the girls on the boat and you and me will spend the whole day together. We'll do whatever you want to do."

"You don't have to," Saffron said, though she was secretly pleased to hear this. "I heard you promise Katie and Ashley."

"They might have more fun with Ethan," Harry grinned. "Maybe he can get Maddie to go out there with them. He'll have them all whipped around on there."

"You go just as fast," Saffron said genuinely laughing for the first time that evening. "You just tell Mum you go slow..."

"What she doesn't know doesn't hurt her right?" Harry poked his daughter in the side as they started to head back towards the house.

"Can I tell you something, Dad?" she asked him.

"Of course you can," Harry replied.

"I kind of like it when you call me your baby girl," she admitted. "Not when you say it in the middle of Kings Cross, of course. But I do like it."

Harry laughed loudly. "Just not in front of anyone else eh?" he scooped her up and tossed her over his shoulder.

Saffron giggled. "Dad!"

"Would you rather be on a piggy back ride?" Harry teased her.

Saffron just kept laughing as Harry effortlessly carried her back toward the cottage.

"There we are," Harry said. "I like to see my girl laughing. My baby girl." he tickled her side.

They were both still laughing when they finally made it back home. Harry set her down on the patio and Saffron grinned at him. "You won't tell anyone I was crying, will you?"

"You mean aside from the full page ad I was going to owl into the Daily Prophet? And the article I was going to ask your Aunt Luna to write?" Harry teased her.

"Promise me, Daddy," she said folding her arms. "I mean it."

"I promise Saffron," Harry said. "Shall we shake on it? Pinky swear?"

Saffron nodded. "Pinky swear."

Harry did just that. "And a hug," he added.

Saffron hugged him back and laughed as he lifted her off the ground. "Thanks, Dad."

"Anything for you love," Harry kissed the side of her head.

"We'd better get inside, huh?" Saffron asked. "Before there's no food left."

"Right- I hope your Mum talked Ron out of anchovies." Harry grimaced.

"We can only hope," Saffron said opening up the door and seeing everyone gathered around the kitchen table. Hermione looked up at them and was relieved to see both of them with smiles on their faces.

"Any pizza left?" Harry asked lightly.

"We let Ron order what he wanted and then we ordered some for the rest of us," Luna answered.

Hermione stood up and walked around the table. She ruffled Saffron's hair. "Everything okay love?"

"Good Mum," Saffron said. "Thanks for taking a walk with me."

"No problem," Hermione said smiling at her. "Ethan saved you some of those breadsticks you like so much."

"Thanks Ethan," Saffron beamed at her brother who grinned back and ruffled her hair.

"How'd it go?" Hermione asked in a hushed tone to Harry.

"Its fine," Harry said quietly. "I'm going to ask Ethan to take the girls out for me tomorrow and I told Saffy I'd take her wherever she wanted to go."

"I feel so stupid for not seeing how she was feeling before," Hermione said softly.

"Tell me about it," Harry said. "I suppose I have been a bit wrapped up in Ashley and Katie but I thought she was having fun with everyone else."

Hermione nodded. "She was, but she missed you. We should both make sure she doesn't feel like that again. I miss her so much when she's away at school."

"I do too," Harry agreed. "We'll both make sure we're free and take her out into Diagon Alley when we go shopping for her school supplies later on in the holiday."

"Yes we will," she said smiling at him. "So, come on. Let's get some food before it's all gone."

"Right," Harry gave her a quick peck.

"Got any of those breadsticks left, Saffron?" Ron asked as he finished off his sixth slice of pizza.

"Maybe a few," Saffron replied. "But Uncle Ron haven't you had enough?" she giggled.

"Never!" Ron said reaching for another slice of pizza. "Save a couple of them for your old godfather."

"Only if I don't eat them first," Ethan joked.

"I thought you saved them for ME?" Saffron asked him.

"I did," Ethan said. "Otherwise you know there wouldn't be any left."

Saffron smiled at him and looked around the table. She felt better than she had in days. Her father was sitting directly across from her and she shared a secret smile with him.

"This is really an amazing book," Maddie was sitting at the corner of the table on Ethan's other side.

"You'd been engrossed in it all evening," he teased her. She hadn't touched any of her food.

"I know," she marked her place carefully and set the book on the shelf behind her. "Are you making fun of me Ethan James?"

"No," he said nudging her. "You just reminded me of my mum for a few moments. Nose stuck in a book...oblivious to everything and everyone around her. That's all, Mads."

She grinned at him. "You'd better get used to it. I think I'll be doing lots of reading over the next few months."

"You should see some of our training manuals," Ethan said. "You and I can just sit and read to our hearts' content."

"We have such an exciting future," Maddie laughed, biting into her pizza. "Reading on the sofa side by side."

"That sounds like a very romantic date," Ethan said grinning at her.

"I guess as long as I'm with you it doesn't matter, at least not to me," Maddie said softly.

"I feel the same way," Ethan said.

"Would you guys mind?" R.J. asked teasingly. "I'm trying to eat."

"Speaking of which," Jon said with a gleam in his eye. "What sorts of things does the fair Juliet like on her pizza, R.J.?"

"Pineapple," R.J. answered automatically, then scowled. "Jon will you knock it off?" he snapped.

"Who's Juliet?" Ron asked.

"R.J.'s girlfriend," Jon said in a falsetto voice.

Ron grinned. "You didn't mention anything, R.J. What's she like?"

Luna covered her mouth with her napkin to try and stop laughing.

R.J.'s face was nearly purple. "She...is...not...my...girlfriend." he said through clenched teeth.

"Who is she then?" Ron asked curiously.

"A friend!" R.J. snapped. "That's all!"

"Then how come you kissed her on the train?" Saffron asked innocently. "On the way home in that little compartment next to the loo?"

"Oooooh," Jon and Josh chorused before cackling like hyenas.

"That's my boy!" Ron said raising his glass at his youngest son.

R.J. shook his head. "You're a bloody spy," he said to Saffron. "It was... a goodbye peck that's all." he said. "She said she wanted something to remember me by this holiday."

"Sounds like she got it," Julie couldn't help adding.

The whole table broke up into laughter as R.J. shot her a dirty look.

"Sorry, R.J.," Julie apologised. "You opened the door and I kind of ran through it..."

"It's all right I guess," R.J. grunted. "If you two sods would just bloody shut up." he said to his brothers.

"R.J., language," Luna reminded her son.

"Sorry, Mum," R.J. said slumping in his chair.

"Don't take it personal mate," Jon said to his brother. "It's a rite of passage. I gave Josh here grief when he fancied Julie. Everyone gave me grief over Allie. And now you're getting it over this Juliet."

"Hold on," R.J. said looking at Josh. "YOU fancied Julie? When?"

Julie and Josh both turned red. "A long time ago," she said. "When you were still a baby."

R.J. felt as if he'd been handed a huge birthday present. "She turned you down, didn't she Joshie?"

"I met Nick," Julie said in Josh's defence.

"You used to fancy my mum?" Ashley asked Josh who sank lower in his chair.

"Well can you blame me?" he asked sheepishly.

Ashley giggled. "I guess not."

Nick nudged his wife. "I still think you picked the right bloke." he teased.

"So do I," Julie said leaning against him.

"And I know for sure that I made the right choice." Josh smiled at his wife.

"Third time was the charm," she joked.

"Right," Josh gave his wife a kiss.

Ron smiled at his family and friends. He raised his glass again. "To everything being as it should be."

"As it should be," Harry echoed.

34. Chapter 34

Authors’ note: This is a little earlier than we usually update, but those of you who have inquired about Drop in the Ocean (by Amynoelle) that will hopefully be updated this weekend. These characters and this universe have taken up quite a bit of our time and I (Amy) would like to apologize to you guys who have been waiting for an update on that one. But that’s neither here nor there with this story. You get more Ethan/Maddie in this chapter along with Josh/Lizzy and Allie/Jon and a little bit of Caroline and Emma, too. And some of you have asked if we get these characters confused sometimes and the answer is yes. This is a LOAD of people to keep track of and we keeping adding and adding and adding. We do hope that you guys keep enjoying the story and if you have any questions, just let us know in your review and we’ll be happy to answer them and try and clear things up for you. Without further ado, here’s Chapter 34…

CHAPTER THIRTY FOUR

They had all been back from Brighton a few months now, and it was without a doubt one of the happiest summers of Maddie's life. It hadn't been easy getting used to her visions and what they entailed, but with the help of Hermione and Smythe as her guide, she was beginning to learn to control them enough to get herself to the Ministry when one took place.

There was also Ethan. She smiled as she entered the cafeteria for lunch and thought about him. He was as sweet and attentive as could be- much like his father was with his mother. They spent many a night just sitting at his flat, reading their respective books for their areas of study and the snogging- there was loads of that.

"Maddie Weasley?" a voice called out. "What on earth are you doing here?"

Maddie turned around with a pleasant smile on her face. "Oh hello... Jackie right?" she asked, recognising the girl from Hogwarts.

Jackie smoothed her skirt as she stood up from her table. "Actually, I prefer to go by Jacqueline here. It's more professional."

"Oh," Maddie smiled at her. "Sure, that's a lovely name."

"So," Jackie said folding her arms and giving Maddie a disdainful look. "What are you doing here? If you're lost or something I can help you find your way out. This is an employee cafeteria."

"I work here," Maddie said. "In the um... Misuse of Muggle Artefacts office." Smythe had told her not to tell anyone outside her circle of family and close friends about her abilities as a Seer. "What do you do here?"

Jackie gave Maddie a smug look. "I am working very closely with Minister Potter, actually. I was offered an internship right out of Hogwarts."

"Oh you are?" Maddie knew she was lying but didn't want to call attention to it. "What do you do?" she asked, her pleasant smile frozen on her face.

"A little of everything actually," Jackie replied. "Just today, I helped the Minister with this big speech she's giving."

"That's quite lovely," Maddie said. "You must be very excited about this Jacqueline."

"Oh, I am," Jacqueline said proudly. She knew that this was a small white lie she was telling, but Madeline Weasley would never know. There was no reason to tell Completely Mad Maddie that she really worked as an entry-level assistant for the Floo Regulation Panel. Besides, Jackie thought. She wasn't going to be there for too long. She would be moving up to bigger and better things.

"What else have you been up to since leaving school?" Maddie asked politely.

Jackie sat back down at her table and motioned for Maddie to do the same. "Well, I'm not meant to say anything but the Minister told me just this morning what a perfect match I would make for her son."

Maddie's eyebrows shot up at this and her smile slipped. "Really," she said softly.

"Yes," Jackie said with a wide smile. "You remember Ethan Potter, don't you?"

"Of course," Maddie replied.

"Well," Jackie said. "I must say that he and I always had a good rapport at Hogwarts. I used to catch him looking at me in the halls. And we flirted quite a bit..."

"Mmmhmm," Maddie looked down at her wrist that had the Cornish Pixie charm attached to the bracelet Ethan had given her for Christmas.

"That's certainly an interesting bracelet," Jackie said trying not to laugh. "You always did like...strange things."

"It's a Cornish Pixie," Maddie explained. "They live inside the charm."

"Ewww," Jackie said disgustedly. "You mean you have one of those things in your bracelet?"

"Cornish Pixies are not THINGS," Maddie said defensively. "They're living creatures."

"They're gross, Maddie," Jackie argued. "You know that someone we went to school with actually used to have one as a pet. I can't remember her name or anything, but can you imagine having one of those as a pet? Whatever happened to something normal like a cat or a dog? Even a frog would be better than one of those little demons!"

"That would be me," Maddie's tone was cool. "I had one until I was eleven."

"That was you!" Jackie laughed. "I remember now! You used to draw those pictures of that thing all the time!"

"Dolly was not a THING!" Maddie was growing angry at Jackie's ridicule of her beloved pet.

Jackie pulled a confused face. "Who's Dolly?"

"My pixie!" Maddie's eyes darkened.

Ethan had just entered the cafeteria, hoping to find his girlfriend and steal her away for a quick lunch.

"You named your pixie Dolly?" Jackie said laughing. "That is too rich, Madeline! What finally happened to the poor thing? With all the people in your family, I imagine she suffocated or something tragic like that.."

"What exactly do you mean like that?" Maddie folded her arms. "What's wrong with my family?"

Jackie shrugged. "Well, you have a really large family, don't you? And your father works at some joke shop, right? Your mum's unemployed. And didn't one of your brothers knock up some girl and kidnap her from school..."

Maddie glared at the other girl. "How dare you say those things!"

"Easy, Maddie," Jackie said noticing that some of the people sitting closer to their table were looking in their direction. "I'm just saying what I heard about your family is all."

Ethan heard his girlfriend's angry tone, one he'd never heard before. He began to make his way over to her across the room.

"You know I would have thought your father would have done better for himself than a joke shop," Jackie said sympathetically. "He is Harry Potter's best friend after all. But, you know some people have it and others don't. Your father obviously doesn't."

“Hey,” Ethan interrupted them. “What’s going on?”

"Hello Ethan," Jackie said beaming at him. "Long time, no see."

"Hi," Ethan said, casting a confused glance at Maddie.

"I was just offering my sympathies to Madeline here," Jackie said pushing her way past Maddie so she would be next to Ethan. "The poor thing grew up with so many brothers and sisters that they gave her a Cornish pixie as a pet. And then her poor father..."

"What's wrong with having a Cornish pixie for a pet?" Ethan asked the strange girl. "I always thought Dolly was pretty cool."

This threw Jackie for a minute, but she quickly covered. "Nothing. I just never had something like that for a pet. So, um, what are you up to today?"

"I'm here to see if my girlfriend wanted to have lunch with me," Ethan said, still looking at her strangely. He turned back to Maddie, who looked like she was still fuming.

"You're dating someone?" Jackie asked trying to hide her disappointment.

"Yes he is," Maddie struggled to keep her voice even when all she really wanted to do was shove Jackie's perfectly made up face into her salad.

Ethan slid an arm over her shoulder. "Come on Mads, we can eat here if you want or I'll take you out to one of those cafes you like."

Jackie stared at them in disbelief. "You---you're dating her?"

"Who are you?" Ethan asked.

"You remember Jacqueline from Hogwarts, don't you?" Maddie asked Ethan before Jackie could answer. "She's working with your mother, isn't that right, Jackie?"

"You are?" Ethan asked. "She didn't mention anything about a new assistant..."

"I-I just started," Jackie lied.

"Did she sack Samuel or something?" Ethan asked, referring to the man who had been second in command to his mother the entire time she'd held office.

"Samuel?" Jackie asked turning red. "No, she didn't. I just, um, you know..."

"Right," Maddie said coldly, her blue eyes angry slits.

"Come on Mads," Ethan tugged on her arm again. "Let's go eat somewhere else."

"I guess I'll see you tomorrow," Jackie said, realizing that Maddie may be her only link to Ethan. "Maybe we could all eat lunch together..."

Maddie couldn't take it anymore. "Why would you want to eat lunch with someone whose father only works in a joke shop? Or someone who owned a Cornish pixie as a pet? Or someone who you never spoke to at all in Hogwarts unless it was to make fun of her for not fitting your description of normal?"

Jackie shrugged and smiled lamely. "How about we make amends?" she asked, trying to sound generous. "We could go shopping together."

"Won't you be too busy helping my mother?" Ethan asked, crossing his arms.

"Well... I'm sure she'd give me the hour off to have lunch with her son," Jackie covered.

"I'm not so sure about that, Jennifer," Ethan said purposely getting her name wrong. "Besides, my mother is really quite fond of Maddie and I don't think she'd take too kindly to me eating lunch with you."

"It's Jackie," she corrected. "Right Com- Maddie?"

Maddie knew the best thing would be to walk away from this horrible girl like she had all those times at school, but she'd had just about enough of listening to her lies. And Maddie knew if Ethan wasn't here, Jackie would be singing a different tune.

But before Maddie could say anything a short, podgy wizard came over to them.

"Jackie! How bleeding long are you going to take for lunch? You're supposed to take those files to the library for archiving!" he boomed at her.

"I'm sorry Mr. Cobb," Jackie's face turned bright red.

"Well get your arse upstairs and take those files to the library," Mr. Cobb said angrily. "Honestly, if I didn't know your aunt, I'd have never hired you. You just keep that in mind, Jackie. Now move!"

Jackie pressed her lips together and she couldn't even look over at Maddie and Ethan as she gathered the stack of books in the chair next to her.

"I'm sorry," Ethan said to the older man. "What department do you work for, sir?"

"The Floo Regulation Panel," Mr. Cobb straightened up proudly. "And I run a tight ship. Your mother knows that."

"She does," Ethan said smiling at him. "Well, Madeline and I will leave you and your assistant to it then. We have a lunch date."

Maddie still had to resist the urge to throw something at the other girl as Ethan gently pulled on her arm and led her out of the cafeteria.

"Okay, what the hell was that all about?" Ethan asked once they'd left the building.

"I don't even know where to begin," Maddie said running a hand through her hair. "I walked into the cafeteria and she stopped me. And started throwing all these lies at me about how she worked for your mother and then she said some terrible things about Dolly, my parents, Jon and Allie..."

"I don't even know who she is," Ethan replied. "What does she have against you? And why would she say nasty things about your family?"

"Because she thinks she's better than everyone else," Maddie said not realizing how fast she was actually walking. "I know I shouldn't have gotten so upset, but I put up with it all throughout school and for her to say those horrible things....!"

"Hey," Ethan caught her hand. "Come on Mads... I thought what people said about you didn't bother you." he pulled her into his arms.

"I know," Maddie said looking away from him. "But she just made me so mad!"

"I've never seen you get mad," Ethan chuckled and hoped he could try and get her to relax. "It's rather sexy."

Maddie looked up at him. "What?"

He grinned down at her. "It's a new side of you," he teased.

Maddie finally laughed. "Well, there's two things you don't make fun of around me...my family and Dolly. That is what makes me see red, especially around people who have no idea what a great family I have and what a great pet Dolly was."

"I think on some level, we all enjoyed Dolly," Ethan said as they began to walk again. "And of course your family is great. You're the most tight knit family I know."

"Your family is just as tight as mine," Maddie said softly.

"There's just twice as many of you," Ethan joked.

"Yes, well we are a big family," Maddie said.

"So are you feeling better now?" he asked once they'd chosen a place to eat and were sitting down.

"I always feel better when I'm with you," Maddie said softly. "You know that."

"I was hoping later you'd want to come over," Ethan said. "We could watch a movie or just read, I don't care."

"I would," Maddie said frowning. "But I sort of promised Allie and Jon that I'd watch the girls for them."

"How about tomorrow night then?" Ethan asked.

"I have a special training session with Smythe," Maddie said. "But you know what? You could help me baby sit tonight."

Ethan grinned. "Do you really need help?" he asked devilishly.

"With Caroline and Emma?" Maddie said. "Maybe not so much with Emma, but with Caroline, you'd better believe I need help!"

"I haven't seen her in awhile," Ethan took a piece of bread from the basket in the centre of the table.

"She's getting so big! They both are!" Maddie said smiling as she thought of her nieces. "With my training, I haven't been able to spend as much time with them."

"I'd be happy to help you out," Ethan said. "Sounds like it could be fun."

"Great," Maddie said happily. "We could eat pizza, maybe watch some movies. And Caroline said that she wanted to throw a tea party."

He frowned. "Don't think I'm going to put a dress on like the two of you made me do that one time."

Maddie giggled. "But you looked so cute in it!"

"That was a one time thing Ms. Madeline," Ethan grinned at her laughter. "Sorry, but not even YOU could get me back into it."

"Can't blame a girl for trying," Maddie said reaching across the table for his hand.

He squeezed her fingers, happy that he'd managed to get her to come out with him.

"So," she said softly. "How is my favourite Auror today?"

"He's doing quite well," Ethan replied. "Easy day at training. Next week we get assigned to our partners for our last bit before becoming professionals."

"Who do you think you'll get?" Maddie asked. "They pair you with someone with experience right? What if you got your dad? Or Uncle Neville?"

"That'd be cool if I got my dad," Ethan said. "But I doubt I'll get either of them since we're all close."

"I think that would be really great if you were to get your dad," Maddie said knowing how much her boyfriend looked up to his father. "He's so proud of you."

Ethan smiled. "I'm glad he's proud. Every time I wanted out of the program, I thought about how excited he'd get to show me something he knew a lot about, or how he would get when I did something right."

"And look at you now," Maddie said. "Nearly finished with your training and from what I hear the best in your training class."

"You heard that aye," he grinned even wider.

"I did," she said beaming at him. "Your mum mentioned it to me the other night."

"I think she's more excited than I am," he said as their food was brought out.

Maddie's eyes grew large as she looked at Ethan's plate. "That has to be the biggest cheeseburger I've ever seen in my life. My dad would be salivating right about now!"

"We should bring one over to him as a surprise one night," Ethan said. "I'm starving so I ordered the biggest thing on the menu."

"I'll say," Maddie said. "But I think I'll stick with my cheese and tomato sandwich." She winked at him. "But I will have one of your chips..."

Ethan pulled his plate away. "What's in it for me?" he asked.

Maddie frowned. "Ethan James Potter, you don't want to share a couple of your chips with me?"

He grinned. "What's in it for me?" he asked, his tone huskier this time.

"Well," Maddie said thoughtfully. "After Caroline and Emma go to sleep tonight, we will be all alone..."

"And?" he asked, his brown eyes lighting up.

"And you know, we could dim the lights..."

"And..." Ethan moved into the chair next to hers.

"And play some nice soft music..."

He pushed the plate towards her. "What comes next?"

"I don't want to spoil the surprise," she said as she took a chip. "But, let's just say I have a feeling you'll be quite satisfied by the outcome."

"How about just a little preview?" Ethan asked.

"Ethan," Maddie said blushing. "We can't kiss here...someone might see..."

"Your point is?" he drawled.

"That would be a very public display of affection, don't you think?" Maddie asked grinning at him.

"If we snogged," Ethan pointed out. "One little kiss can't hurt anything."

"Okay," Maddie whispered. "One little kiss never..."

Before she could finish her sentence he leaned in and covered her lips with his.

"...hurt anything," Maddie finished when they pulled apart. "You...you really are good at that."

"So are you," Ethan sat back in satisfaction.

"I've had a great teacher," Maddie said.

"A very willing and eager teacher," Ethan laughed as he took a huge bite of his burger.

"And the next lesson is tonight," Maddie said grinning impishly at him.

"So what are you doing this afternoon?" Ethan asked as they ate. "Any visions today?"

"No, not today," Maddie replied. "But Smythe said sometimes it's like that. She said I could go months before I have another one. It just all depends."

"That's got to keep you on your toes," Ethan remarked. "I mean, you could be anywhere, doing anything and just have a vision come out of nowhere."

"Tell me about it," Maddie said. "But I really feel as if I've found what I was meant to do Ethan. I really do. And I feel really closer to my grandma, you know? I know I never knew her, but it's like she's with me showing me the way..."

"I think it's fantastic," Ethan replied. "I really do. I know at first I was all sceptical--"

"You didn't believe me," Maddie interjected.

"It's not that I didn't believe you Mads," Ethan replied. "It's just that... I never believed in prophecies, or Divination, or Seers... but that first time you had that really bad vision, while we were in Brighton..."

"It scared me too," Maddie said. "I didn't know what was going on and who those people were. I felt so helpless..."

"But look at you," Ethan said. "You've come so far in only a few months."

"I still have so much to learn," Maddie said.

"Aye," Ethan said. "I guess with something like that you never stop."

"Speaking of which," Maddie said looking at her watch. "I should get back."

"Me too," Ethan said. "Help me finish these." he pushed the rest of his chips at her.

"Okay," Maddie said. "This place does make the best chips."

"That they do," he agreed.

A few moments later, she and Ethan were walking out of the cafe hand in hand. They were silent as they made their way back to the Ministry content just to be with each other.

"So I'll see you tonight then?" Ethan pulled her into a tiny alcove just inside the building.

"Yes," Maddie said. "Allie and Jon wanted me to be there at seven."

"How about I swing by your place around a quarter of then?" he suggested. "And we'll walk over together."

"Sounds good," Maddie said. She knew something that was going to make him very happy that involved his father, but she wasn't about to tell him. He'd find out next week.

"Okay," Ethan leaned in and gave her a kiss. "I love you Mads."

"I love you too," she said dreamily.

He smiled. "I'll see you later." he squeezed her hand as they separated.

"Okay," Maddie said watching him walk away.

*** *** ***

Josh smiled as his wife walked out of the bathroom clad in only a towel. He still couldn't believe they were married. She was truly the best thing in his life and he felt like such an idiot for not asking her sooner.

"Hello Mrs. Weasley," he said smiling at her. "Oh, I'm sorry. Healer Weasley..."

Lizzy laughed. "Mrs. Weasley will do fine," she said with a smile. "I'm certainly not tired of hearing that yet."

"That's good to hear," Josh said. "Because you are going to be called that for the rest of your life."

"I have no problems with that," Lizzy said as he sat on the edge of their bed. She perched on his lap and wound her arms around his neck.

"We could always cancel on my brother and Allie," Josh said.

"No we can't," Lizzy replied. "We did that last week."

"Right," Josh said. "But you know it will be fun to see the look on Jon's face. He hates going to the theatre."

"I don't know why," Lizzy said. "Allison absolutely loves it and usually whatever she likes he does too."

"That's true," Josh said. "I guess I just remember when we were kids and mum would always want to take us to plays and things like that. What usually happened was he and my dad would always fall asleep in the middle of it. "

Lizzy laughed as she gave her husband a kiss. "When mum and dad come to town next month they'll want to go see a play or two," she said, getting off his lap. "It's a good thing you enjoy it."

"I do," Josh said walking into their closet to get his dress shirt. "And I am really looking forward to tonight. It will be nice to not be hunched over my law books for once."

Lizzy shook her hair out and used her wand to dry it. "I'm glad we're going out." she said, stepping into her dress. "I feel like a stranger to my friends and family with how busy I've been at the hospital."

"We haven't really had time for a proper honeymoon," Josh said apologetically. "But I promise you that next summer, we are going to go away somewhere just the two of us...with no work, no interruptions...nothing but you and me."

"That sounds fabulous," Lizzy said happily. "I already can't wait."

"Yes well you be thinking of places you'd like to go and I'll see about booking it," Josh said.

"I will," Lizzy promised, disappearing back into the loo to touch up her makeup.

Josh decided to go through the post while he waited for his wife to finish getting ready. He was surprised to see a letter from his younger brother among the letters and bills. Sitting back down on the bed, Josh opened the envelope and began to read.

"What are you looking at?" Lizzy asked, coming back into the bedroom.

"A letter from R.J.," Josh replied with a smile. The trip to Brighton had brought him closer to both Jon and R.J. where he now considered them friends and not just family. "Can you believe that?'

"How lovely," Lizzy replied, brushing her hair. "What's he got to say?"

"He's doing great in all his classes except for Potions," Josh told her. "And he's no longer infatuated with Juliet. Seems she dumped him for some Hufflepuff and that under no circumstances am I to tell Jon that..."

Lizzy laughed. "He'd never hear the end of it."

"And that he figured I'd understand because I was dumped by two girls over the course of one summer," Josh said with a laugh.

"And you got picked up by one right after that," Lizzy slid her arms around him again.

"Yes I did," Josh said kissing her.

"Mmm," Lizzy said as their kiss deepened.

"Elizabeth, are you trying to seduce me?" Josh asked her.

"Would I really need to?" Lizzy asked softly.

"No, but we should probably get going," Josh told her. "Just promise me we'll pick up where we left off when we get back home."

"I promise," Lizzy said with one last kiss.

Over at Jon and Allie's, the scene was a little more chaotic. Allison was still getting ready upstairs while Jon made small talk with Maddie and Ethan in the sitting room. Caroline was playing with Max on the sofa.

"We really appreciate you agreeing to sit for us, Maddie," Jon said to his baby sister. "Allie and I haven't been out in ages."

"I'm glad to help out Jon," Maddie said. "You know I love being with the girls."

"And they love being with their Aunt Maddie," Jon said. "And Uncle Ethan...speaking of which, my daughter tells me that she hopes to get you in that dress again. Is there anything you want to share with me, Potter?"

Ethan turned red. "Not really," he grimaced.

"We'll try and get him in the tiara this time too, right Caroline?" Maddie asked her niece.

Caroline giggled. "I think he would look lovely in my princess tiara!"

"That might be worth staying home for," Jon teased.

"I don't think so Jonathan," Allison appeared behind her husband. "I know you get antsy in the theatre but I only ask you to go once or twice a year."

Jon turned around to give his wife a smart-alecky remark, but the words died in his mouth as he looked at her.

"Wow, Allie," Maddie said grinning at her. "You look beautiful! Hard to believe you've had two children..."

"Thank you Maddie," Allison blushed. "It's nice to fit into normal clothes again without feeling like a whale."

"You look really pretty Mummy," Caroline said getting up to give her mother a hug. "Doesn't she Daddy?"

"Absolutely gorgeous," Jon said, still staring open mouthed.

"Thank you," Allison said smiling at him. "You clean up rather nicely too, Weasley."

"Have to, for my wife," Jon grinned.

Allison beamed at him. "We, um, should probably get going, don't you think?"

"Will you bring me back something?" Caroline asked.

"You want a present every time we go out," Jon picked up his daughter and effortlessly tossed her in the air.

Caroline giggled. "You're silly, Daddy!"

"So are you, baby," Jon kissed her cheek. "We'll see about getting you something all right? But only if you're a good girl for Maddie and Ethan."

"I'll be really good," Caroline promised.

"We're going to have a blast," Maddie said. "We're going to order a pizza, have our tea party, Ethan's going to wear a dress and tiara..."

"Yeah, we're going to have...wait a minute, Maddie," Ethan said. "I never agreed to a dress or a tiara..."

"Come on Uncle Ethan," Caroline said. "You make such a pretty princess!"

"How about we just dress Max up like a princess," Ethan offered looking at the dog. "Now he would make a pretty princess. Much prettier than me."

"Max doesn't like tiaras!" Caroline laughed.

"I don't like tiaras either," Ethan argued.

Maddie grinned. "Let's figure out what to do over pizza," she said, taking Caroline from Jon. "You two go on and have fun, and say hello to Josh and Lizzy for me."

"We will," Allison said. "We should be back around midnight. That's not too late is it?"

"That's fine," Ethan replied. "If we get tired, we'll crash here on the sofa."

"Thanks again," Allison said. "When you two have children, we'll return the favour."

Maddie blushed as she looked at Ethan.

"We'll hold you to that," Ethan said good-naturedly. "You two kids have fun."

With a few goodbyes, Jon and Allison were on their way to a night out in London and Maddie and Ethan were left alone with two little girls and a rather crazy dog on their hands.

They finally decided to order a pizza with half pepperoni for Ethan and Caroline and the other half just cheese for Maddie. As they waited for the pizza to arrive, Caroline asked Ethan if he'd fix her hair into plaits.

"I don't know how to do that," Ethan told her.

"It's easy!" Caroline said. "Auntie Maddie can show you!"

"Okay," Ethan said. "Auntie Maddie...show me what to do..."

Maddie grinned as she grabbed a brush to run through Caroline's wavy brown hair. "It really is easy," she explained.

"I'll take your word for it," Ethan said with a laugh.

"How's Saffy doing?" Caroline asked. "I miss her."

"She's good," Ethan replied. "Don't tell my mum but Snape's given her another two detentions since she came back."

"What for this time?" Maddie asked, shaking her head.

"For knowing answers," Ethan rolled his eyes as his fingers clumsily plaited Caroline's soft hair. "He's just got a grudge because she's a Potter."

"That man never changes," Maddie said. "He needs to get over that."

"Aye he really does," Ethan said. "Okay Caroline how's that?"

Caroline walked over to the mirror and looked curiously at her reflection. "Auntie Maddie did really well, but you need a lot of work..."

Ethan laughed. "I'll be sure and practise more for next time."

"So what movie did you want to watch tonight?" Maddie asked stifling a laugh.

"The Lion King," Caroline said without a moment's hesitation.

"You've seen that how many times now?" Maddie asked, knowing full well it was the little girl's favourite movie.

"But it's so good Auntie Maddie," Caroline replied. "I want a lion that looks like Simba!"

"I don't know if you could have a lion for a pet," Ethan said. "But how would you like it if one weekend, Maddie and I took you to the zoo?"

Caroline bounced up and down happily at the suggestion. "Yay!" she squealed.

"Shh sweetheart," Maddie laughed. "You don't want to wake up your sister do you?"

"No," Caroline said her voice much softer.

"That's a good girl," Maddie said. "How about Ethan puts in the movie while I fix this plait?"

"Okay," Caroline said nodding happily.

Just an hour later, Ethan found himself carrying the four year old down the hall to her bedroom as she'd fallen asleep halfway into the movie. Maddie was right behind him and she tucked Caroline's teddy bear in next to her as Ethan pulled the sheets around her.

Maddie kissed her niece's forehead and made sure the nightlight was on before she and Ethan quietly stepped out of the room.

"Let me just check on Emma," Maddie whispered.

"All right," Ethan said, heading back towards the kitchen to clean up the remnants of their dinner.

A few minutes later, Maddie joined him in the kitchen. "She's still sleeping. I could just watch her for hours."

"Aye she's really sweet," Ethan said, dumping the pizza box in the garbage. "And you are without a doubt, their favourite babysitter in the world."

Maddie smiled. "You're really good with them too. Caroline is crazy about you."

"How about you?" Ethan asked, winding his arms around her waist. "Is Completely Mad Maddie crazy about me?"

"She's completely mad about you," Maddie replied. "You know most blokes wouldn't think spending the evening helping their girlfriend baby sit would be a great date..."

"Lucky for you I'm not most blokes." Ethan said with a grin.

"Yes," Maddie said grinning back at him. "Lucky me."

"Come on," Ethan said, taking her hand and leading her into the sitting room.

"Ethan?" Maddie asked as they sat down on the sofa. "Do you remember what Allie said before they left? That...that didn't freak you out or anything, did it?"

"Nah," Ethan said. "I know we're still early stages in our relationship but..."

"But?" Maddie asked.

"I don't see it happening anytime soon," Ethan said honestly. "But perhaps someday when we're both ready, we'll settle into that."

Maddie felt relieved. She knew that most boys wanted to run a mile when girls started talking about things like marriage and family, but as Ethan had told her he wasn't like most blokes.

"Well when we are ready," she said resting her head on his shoulder. "I think you'll make a great father."

"I think you'll make a great mum someday," Ethan replied.

"I hope so," Maddie said softly.

Ethan rubbed her cheek with his thumb before leaning in slowly to kiss her.

Maddie wrapped her arms around him as he deepened the kiss. As much as she'd enjoyed being with her nieces, she'd wanted to be alone with Ethan just like this all evening.

He pushed her gently back onto the sofa, letting his hands loosen her ponytail and run through her long strands.

"I love you," she whispered looking up at him.

He smiled down at her, their faces barely an inch apart. "I love you too," he said softly.

"I've never felt this way about someone else," Maddie said shyly.

Ethan grinned. "Me either. You're definitely one of a kind Mads, and I'm glad you're all mine."

Her feelings for him scared and excited her all at the same time. When she wasn't with him, she thought about him constantly. And when they were alone like this, she found it extremely difficult to stick with her vow to wait until marriage.

"What's on your mind?" he asked, kissing the sensitive area right under her chin.

"It's not important," she whispered.

His hands trailed through her hair again as he gazed into her blue eyes. "You sure?" he asked.

"You've...you've been with other girls before right?" she asked. "That's a stupid question, of course you have. I just...I know that this can't be easy for you to wait. I just hope you know that it's not easy on me either."

"Actually I haven't," Ethan turned red. "I wanted to make sure I was really serious about someone before I took that step. Bree and I came close a few times but we never actually went that far."

Maddie stared up at him in disbelief. "Really?"

"Yeah," Ethan sat back, pulling her up with him. "I mean, it's a big step you know?"

Maddie nodded. "Yes, it is, but I just assumed that you had..."

"Most people have, because of my parents," Ethan shook his head.

"I wish you would have said something sooner," Maddie said softly. "I was feeling guilty for making you wait."

"Don't be guilty about that," Ethan tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. "It's something important to you and I understand that. I wouldn't have ever pushed you into doing anything you didn't want to do."

Maddie leaned in and softly kissed him. "I know that and it just makes me love you even more than I already do."

"I am pretty irresistible," Ethan boasted.

Maddie giggled. "You are that."

Just as Ethan leaned in to kiss Maddie, Emma's cries filled the house.

"Uh oh," he pulled back. "I figured she'd wake up sooner or later."

"I'll go," Maddie said getting to her feet.

"Nah I'll get her," Ethan replied. "Maybe she's hungry."

"Okay," Maddie said. "I'll go and warm up a bottle for her then."

"I'll bring her into the kitchen," Ethan got off the sofa and headed for Emma's little nursery.

Ethan lifted Emma out of her crib, but it did nothing to sooth the baby's cries.

"Shh," Ethan whispered patting Emma gently on the back.

"Here," Maddie brought in the bottle that Allison had left for her. "That sounds like a hungry cry."

Ethan took the bottle from Maddie and grinned at her. "Don't look at me like that. I'm an old pro, remember? I used to help feed Saffy all the time when I was a kid."

"Of course," Maddie laughed. "Especially when I was Princess Cruella."

"The evil, but pretty princess," Ethan said sitting down with Emma.

"Evil but beautiful princess," Maddie corrected teasingly.

"Ahh," Ethan said with a chuckle. "I apologise. Princess Cruella, the evil but beautiful princess."

"Now you've got it," Maddie smiled as Emma sucked contentedly on her bottle. "She was a hungry girl!" she stroked her goddaughter's soft head.

"Well she is a Weasley," Ethan joked.

"That's true," Maddie grinned. "We're always hungry!"

Caroline walked into the nursery carrying her teddy bear.

"I had a bad dream, Auntie Maddie," she sniffled.

Maddie opened her arms to her little niece. "What was it about love?" she asked, hugging Caroline.

"It was just really dark and there were monsters," Caroline said holding on tightly to Maddie.

"There's no monsters here sweetheart," Maddie brushed Caroline's fringe off her sweaty forehead.

"Will you stay with me?" Caroline asked softly. "Please?"

"Of course," Maddie sent an apologetic look to Ethan.

Caroline yawned as Maddie picked her up and carried her back into the little girl's bedroom.

Ethan held Emma until she finished her bottle, then properly burped her and laid her gently back in her crib.

He peeked into Caroline's bedroom where Maddie was still trying to comfort her niece.

"Auntie Maddie?" Caroline asked. "Do you think I'll ever not be scared of the dark?"

"Of course you won't eventually be scared," Maddie said soothingly. "I was afraid of the dark when I was your age too."

"You were?" Caroline asked feeling better.

"Oh yes," Maddie said. "And I bet your daddy was afraid of the dark too, although that would be before I was born."

Caroline smiled. "So I guess everyone is scared of something when they're little right?"

"Absolutely," Maddie reassured her. "And even though you're a big girl now, when you get even bigger you'll have to protect Emma from all the monsters. So you'll have to be the brave one soon."

"Just like you," Caroline said smiling at her aunt.

Maddie laughed. "I try to be brave," she said. "But there's nothing on this earth I wouldn't protect you from Caroline."

Caroline hugged her. "Thank you, Auntie Maddie. I'm going to go to sleep now, but don't leave me, okay?"

"I won't love," Maddie promised.

Ethan gave them one last look before heading downstairs and into the sitting room. It wasn't too much longer before he was fast asleep.

Maddie grew drowsy while lying with her niece and while part of her wished she could be down with Ethan in the sitting room, there was something about staying with a little girl that trusted her so much that almost literally made her melt. She kissed Caroline's head and settled down, closing her eyes.

Shortly after midnight, Allison and Jon arrived back home.

"You have to admit that was a really good play," Allison said as he helped her out of her cloak.

"I suppose," Jon said. "I fell asleep somewhere between the second and third act."

Allison laughed. "You're getting better. Usually you only make it half way into the first act."

"It was only because you were laughing so hard you were shaking the seats," Jon teased his wife.

"I wasn't laughing that hard, was I?" she asked.

"Just a bit," he grinned at her.

"Very funny," Allison said grabbing his tie and pulling him to her.

Jon let out a surprised grunt as his lips mashed into hers. "Someone's a bit randy tonight aye?" he asked.

"Just a bit," she teased.

"Usually it's the other way around," he remarked. "Usually it's me pawing at you."

"That's not true," Allison said. "I was about to commend you for not wanting to snog during the play, but you were out like a light..."

Jon grinned. "And I bet you thought I looked dead sexy didn't you."

"I always think that," Allison said loosening his tie. "But there is something about my husband in a suit...it just does something to me."

"I'll wear one every night if it makes you like this," Jon replied. "But first maybe we should relieve Maddie and Ethan of our little monsters and Emma."

Allison laughed. "Good idea. Where do you suppose they are?"

"I hear Max snoring away in the sitting room," Jon said. "Or maybe that's just Ethan." he poked the younger man. "Hey mate, wake up."

Ethan rolled over on his side. "Just a few more minutes Mum."

Jon snorted. "I think you've been wearing that tiara too long." he poked him again.

"Hmmm?" Ethan asked groggily rubbing at his eyes.

"Wake up," Jon said with a laugh. "Where's my sister?"

Ethan sat up still a little dazed. "What? Oh, Caroline had a bad dream so Maddie stayed with her."

"Was it about the monsters again?" Allison asked. "We've been trying to tell her that there aren't any but she doesn't believe us."

Ethan nodded. "Aye, but I think Maddie helped her out."

"Oh good," Allison was relieved. "I'll go tell her that we're home."

"Okay," Ethan said. "Did you guys have a good time?"

"I did," Allison said pointedly. "And I'm sure my husband enjoyed his kip."

"She's never going to let me live that down," Jon said to Ethan.

"I always fall asleep at those things too," Ethan commiserated.

Allison shook her head as she went into Caroline's bedroom and smiled at the sight of her daughter curled up next to Maddie.

"Maddie?" Allison whispered, trying not to awaken Caroline. "Hey, we're home, Maddie."

"Oh," Maddie awoke, blinking sleepily. "Hi Allie. Did you guys have a nice time?"

"We did," Allison said softly. "I hope the girls weren't too much trouble for you and Ethan."

"No, never." Maddie gently extracted herself from Caroline's grip. "She just had a bad dream."

Allison leaned over Caroline and kissed her daughter's forehead before following Maddie out of the bedroom. "I can't thank you enough for sitting with them."

"Anytime," Maddie replied. "I love being with the girls."

"They love being with you too," Allison said. "Caroline really was excited about tonight."

"Well whenever you feel like dragging my brother to the theatre, just owl me," Maddie laughed as they joined Ethan and Jon.

"She didn't drag me to the theatre," Jon said defensively. "I went willingly, Mad Dog."

"Sure you did Jon," Maddie grinned back at him. "I'm beat- I can't wait to get home and just collapse in bed."

"You and me both," Ethan said, causing Allison and Jon to exchanged amused looks. "Not together of course. You know, Maddie at home with her parents and me back at my place, you know...."

"They know," Maddie interrupted. "I'll see you guys this weekend okay?" she referred to the fact that the Weasley clan was getting together at the Burrow this weekend for dinner.

"Right," Jon said giving his sister a hug. "Thanks again for doing this, both of you."

"Anytime Jon." Maddie hugged Allison as well and the two of them left.

Allison smiled at her husband. "Now, where were we?"

"I know where," Jon scooped her up and headed towards the bedroom, his mouth meeting hers and lingering there the whole time.

"I'll walk you home," Ethan said. "I know we can both Apparate, but now we get to spend an extra few minutes together."

"That sounds lovely," she whispered. "I hope Mum and Dad didn't wait up for me. They knew I was going to be out late..."

"I'm sure they know you're fine," Ethan put his arm around her shoulders. "You cold?"

"A little," Maddie admitted.

"I'll warm you up," he said softly with a grin.

Maddie relaxed against him. "I'm sorry the evening didn't turn out like we planned."

"Nothing ever does," Ethan replied with a laugh.

"No," Maddie giggled. "Our first date was spent in a hospital cafeteria."

Ethan laughed harder. "Aye that's right. At least we officially got together in Brighton. Something about us is romantic."

"You think so?" Maddie asked nudging him in the side.

"Yes," Ethan hugged her closer. "This is romantic too..."

"Very romantic," Maddie agreed.

"Shall we seal that with a kiss?" he asked, stopping and touching her cheek softly.

"Yes please," Maddie said grinning at him.

He pressed his mouth to hers hungrily, hugging her body to him.

Maddie felt light-headed when they pulled apart a few moments later.

Ethan smiled at the dazed look in her eyes. "Snog you senseless did I?" he asked in satisfaction.

"Hmmmm," Maddie murmured.

Ethan leaned in and kissed her again, this time nearly lifting her right off her feet.

"You're not playing fair Ethan," Maddie said smiling at him. "I hope you're satisfied that I'm going to go to sleep tonight dreaming about that kiss."

"My foolproof plan has worked," Ethan said in a cheesy accent.

Maddie rolled her eyes. "Say good night, Mr. Potter."

"You don't think I'm going to let you walk the rest of the way alone do you?" Ethan said, putting his arm back around her.

"My house is just right there," she said, but she wasn't in any hurry to say goodbye either.

"And I'll walk you to the door," Ethan pulled her up the pavement.

"Like a good boyfriend," Maddie joked.

"Aye, because your dad and brothers would kill me if I wasn't the best for you." Ethan grinned.

"Yes well Drew and Darla might have a few words for you too," Maddie said. "Don't forget them. They can be just as scary as my brothers."

"Of course," Ethan said, sliding his arms around her waist. "But they have nothing to worry about."

"I know that," Maddie said softly. "I know you wouldn't hurt me, Ethan. I trust you completely."

"Good," he whispered before leaning in to kiss her good night.

Maddie's lips lingered on his for a few moments before she reluctantly stepped inside. "Good night, Ethan."

"Night Mads," Ethan replied. "Love you."

“Love you,” Maddie returned.

35. Chapter 35

AN: Thanks again to all of you who reviewed- we did some replies and we tried to answer most of your questions without giving anything away. This chapter breaks away from E/M (sorry you E/M freaks, but they’ll be back next chapter!) and deals more with Saffron, Harry and Hermione and then some girl time with the Longbottom females.

As always, please take a few moments after reading to let us know what you think. We appreciate all comments and flames are used to toast smores!

Harry paced in his office while waiting for his wife to show up. They'd both gotten owls from Hogwarts telling them that they needed to come there immediately- at first he had thought Saffron was hurt but after reading the note, he realised something had transpired in his daughter's potions class.

A few moments later, a very worried Hermione rushed into his office. "I got here as soon as I could," she said.

He handed his wife the note. "Apparently Saffy's in some trouble and we have to go talk to Snape," he said angrily.

Hermione's first inclination was that perhaps Saffron had gotten hurt, but upon reading the letter and seeing how angry Harry was, she wondered if perhaps it was just the fact that their daughter's last name was Potter was the reason she was in trouble.

"Okay," Hermione said calmly. "We shouldn't jump to conclusions, Harry."

"If Snape's involved," Harry began grimly.

Hermione held up a hand. "It's not going to do anyone any good if you go in there ready to attack."

"Let's just go," Harry said shortly. "I have a ton of work to do today."

"Okay," Hermione said. "But just promise me you won't go in there looking for a fight. You know that's just what he wants. If you go in there and act like a mature parent, you'll get a lot further. I guarantee it."

"Fine," Harry replied impatiently. "Let's GO."

Hermione could only roll her eyes as she followed her husband.

At Hogwarts, Saffron sat inside Professor Snape's office hoping against hope that he hadn't owled her parents. Since he'd caught her this morning, he hadn't said anything to her other than for her to sit down and keep quiet. It was nearing lunch and her stomach was starting to growl.

"Excuse me, sir?" Saffron asked.

"What is it Potter?" Snape asked coldly.

"I've been in here for nearly two hours sir," Saffron said trying not to show how nervous she was. "And I was just wondering what my punishment was going..."

"Keep still and be quiet or it'll be worse," Snape's black eyes narrowed at her.

Saffron nodded and looked away. This was cruel and unusual punishment, she thought angrily.

What felt like a few hours later to her but was probably no more than fifteen minutes, she heard three sets of footsteps hurrying down the corridor outside. The heavy office door swung open and in walked Dumbledore with her parents.

Saffron couldn't meet her parents' gaze as they looked at her.

"Severus," Dumbledore said in a neutral tone. "The Potters were kind enough to get here as soon as they received your owl."

"We've been waiting all morning," Snape said in his same cold voice. "So kind of the two of you to come to your daughter's aid so... quickly." he sneered.

"Now wait just a minute," Harry began, but Hermione put her hand on his arm.

"Why don't you tell us what this is about, Professor Snape?" Hermione asked.

"Ms. Potter here was angry about her marks on her latest essay," Snape said in his oily tone. "So she decides to make her potion explode- not only foolish of her but dangerous as well!"

"Saffron, is this true?" Hermione asked.

"I turned in fifteen pages on that essay, Mum," Saffron explained. "Fifteen! It was way more than what he assigned and it was a great essay..."

"It was four pages longer than I asked for," Snape replied coolly. "Your marks stand as they are Miss Potter."

"You're telling me you penalized our daughter because she wrote more pages than what you assigned?" Harry asked.

"It's not the assignment," Snape hissed. "You are no longer a student here Potter, and you were never a professor so do not tell me how to run my class!"

Dumbledore stood between the two men. "How about we give Miss Potter a chance to defend herself?"

"I agree," Harry said, folding his arms and glaring at Snape.

"Saffron," Dumbledore said looking at her with twinkling eyes. "How about you explain to us what happened?"

"I just wrote my essay sir," Saffron said, buoyed by Dumbledore's kind look. "I know it was longer but usually my professors don't mind extra work." she saw her mother smile proudly out of the corner of her eye. "And then I got it back and saw that I'd received failing marks and it made me angry because he always picks on me because he doesn't like my dad!"

"Did you ever think that is was because you were an insufferable know-it-all?" Snape asked. "I know you didn't get that from your father. He barely passed the course as it was."

"Hey you wait just a minute-" Harry began but was interrupted by his wife.

Hermione glared at Snape. "If you think I'm going to stand here and listen to you insult my husband's intelligence and then call my daughter an insufferable know it all, you have another thing coming, Professor Snape."

Saffron covered her mouth with her hand so no one could see her smile.

"And pray tell, what will you do about it Minister?" Snape asked sarcastically.

Hermione clenched her fists. "Don't tempt me, Professor Snape..."

Snape glared right back at her. "Your daughter will get no preferential treatment from me." he said in a silky manner, as if indicating the conversation was closed.

"My daughter has never asked for any preferential treatment!" Hermione exclaimed. "For Merlin's sake! You and I both know, you wouldn't have failed anyone else for exceeding the essay limit..."

"That is NOT so," Snape replied, after a slight pause.

"Who ever heard of failing someone for going over the limit?" Hermione asked him. "I could see if she'd only done half, but she did more than what you asked."

"Case in point- it wasn't what I assigned," Snape banged his fist on the desk. "Her marks are final."

"That's not fair!" Saffron exclaimed. "He's always doing this to me, Mum! He asks questions in class and I'm the only one who knows the answer so I raise my hand and he NEVER calls on me!"

"Is this so, Severus?" Dumbledore asked, his face slightly grave.

"I think it's only fair to give the other students the chance to answer the questions," Snape replied evenly.

"But no one else raises their hands half the time!" Saffron argued.

"The point here isn't Miss Potter's marks," Snape said ignoring Saffron. "The point is that she deliberately made her potion explode. That is a very serious offence, Minister Potter. Surely, you would have to agree on that."

"Yes I agree on that," Hermione frowned. "Saffy can you explain to us what happened here?"

Saffron didn't answer her mother which bolstered Snape.

"And she didn't do it on her own either," Snape said. "The potion she used is very complex. An older student must have helped her. If she agrees to name the student, I think we could arrange a less severe punishment for your daughter."

Saffron knew she could pinpoint R.J. and spare herself a lot of grief but she refused to do so. "I did it by myself," she insisted.

"I'd think long and hard about this, Miss Potter," Snape said folding his arms and levelling his gaze at her.

"I did it by myself," Saffron looked right back at him, hoping her lie wasn't written all over her face.

"It would be a shame to expel you after only three years at Hogwarts," Snape said, not sounding at all sympathetic.

"It is not your decision as to whether or not Miss Potter would be expelled," Dumbledore reminded him. "This offence, while serious, doesn't merit expulsion, Severus."

"But Professor Dumbledore," Snape looked outraged. "Her explosion could have cost me dearly!" he cast a glare at the three Potters.

"I've no doubt Miss Potter is aware that her actions of today had consequences. As headmaster, I recommend that she serve two weeks detention with Professor McGonagall, as she is the head of Gryffindor."

"On the contrary," Snape said. "I think she should serve them with me."

"No way," Harry glared at him. "She can serve them with McGonagall."

"I don't recall you having the power to make such a decision, Potter," Snape shot back.

"This is my daughter you're referring to," Harry snapped. "I have every right."

"It's settled then," Dumbledore said again getting between the two men before anything got out of hand. "Harry, Hermione...how about you let Saffron walk you out. I need to have a few words with Professor Snape."

"Thank you professor," Harry shook Dumbledore's hand and both him and Hermione cast angry looks at Snape before allowing their daughter to lead them out.

For awhile none of the Potters spoke as they walked down the corridor.

"I'm sorry that you guys had to come here," Saffron finally said.

"You should have known better than to do something to Snape," Harry said. "You're lucky it isn't more than two weeks detention Saffy."

Saffron nodded. "I know, Dad. I just got so frustrated. He's always treated me like this, from day one."

"He was the same way with me," Harry replied. "You just have to deal with his attitude and move on."

"Do you have a copy of your essay?" Hermione asked, still seething from the confrontation with Snape. "I'd like to read it. Failing her for exceeding the limit? Can you believe that? If my professors had done that to me, I'd have flunked out of school my first year! Honestly!"

Harry looked at his daughter and they both had to bite back smiles. "I'll owl you a copy of it Mum," Saffron promised.

Hermione turned around and looked at her daughter. This was the first time she'd seen her since she'd left for Hogwarts back in September.

"Okay," Hermione said giving her youngest a hug.

"I miss you guys," Saffron said.

"We miss you too," Hermione said hugging her tighter. "The house is way too quiet without you around. But, Christmas will be here before you know it."

"I can't wait," Saffron said. "I'll buy everyone something in Hogsmeade this year!"

Harry laughed. "It's easy to shop for your mum, just get her a book."

Hermione elbowed him as Saffron turned to her father. "You can always just get your father a new snitch," she said sarcastically.

"I'm going to surprise you both this year," Saffron said laughing at her parents. "And I'm not going to get Daddy anything having to do with Quidditch and I'm not getting you a book, Mum."

"Well you certainly have our curiosity piqued." Hermione said. "We'll let you get to lunch- I'm sure you've got to be hungry by now."

"Famished," Saffron admitted. "I just don't want to say goodbye to you yet."

"I have an idea," Harry said. "Follow me, both of you." he walked away casually as if he'd never left the school."

Hermione and Saffron exchanged confused looks, but followed him anyway.

He led them down to a portrait of some fruit. "Now Saffy, I'm about to show you one of the greatest secrets I learned while I was here..." he showed her how to tickle the pear and to their astonishment, the portrait swung forward.

"Is this...?" Saffron asked peering inside. "It's the kitchens! Dad, why didn't you tell me this before!"

"Surprise," Harry grinned.

Saffron hugged him. "Daddy, you are the coolest!"

Harry laughed. "I definitely try sweetheart. Now your Mum can have a Hogwarts feast so she knows what she was missing all those years ago."

"The food at Beauxbatons wasn't that bad," Hermione said defensively.

"Nothing beats a Hogwarts feast," Harry said in a definite tone. "Nothing."

"This is so cool," Saffron said walking into the kitchens and seeing the house elves working hard to make lunch for everyone. "Dumbledore pays them wages, Mum. Don't get in a tizzy."

"I know he does sweetheart," Hermione said. "I was the one who convinced him to."

"Wait until I tell Alexa about this," Saffron said referring to her best friend. "She's going to be so excited!"

Harry laughed. "Be careful how many people you let in on this," he replied. "Otherwise it'll become off limits."

"I'll only tell Alexa," Saffron promised. "I wonder if R.J. knows."

"He's a Weasley," Hermione reminded her daughter. "I'm positive he knows..."

"Ron's sure to have let him in on it," Harry said as a feast was set out before them by overly eager house elves. "Weasleys can't go an hour without stuffing their face full of something."

Hermione laughed and looked at the massive amount of food on her plate. "I'll never be able to finish all this!"

"Whatever you don't finish I will," Harry's mouth was already full. "I haven't eaten like this since leaving school."

"It certainly makes up for losing Greta to my nieces," Saffron said. "Which I still think is bloody unfair!"

"Saffy don't start," Harry replied. "You know why she went to help out Julie and Nick."

Saffron nodded. "Because Katie and Ashley are still at home and I'm away at school."

"Well that and Katie and Ashley are only five and seven," Harry said. "They need to be looked after whereas you're allowed to be home by yourself."

"Yes, well Nick could watch them," Saffron argued and Hermione covered her mouth with her napkin to stifle her laugh. "He works at home in his studio. And Julie could watch them during the summer. And I think to be fair, WE should get Greta during the summer when I'm home."

"Saffy I'm not going to argue with you over this," Harry said firmly. "Greta works for Nick and Julie now. That's all there is to it."

"Okay, okay," Saffron said grabbing a piece of bread and breaking it in half. "I'm just putting that out there for you to think about, Dad. No need to make any rash decisions..."

"Just out of curiosity," Hermione asked her daughter. "How long did you argue with Professor Snape about your marks? I'm surprised you didn't argue him into submission."

"I think it was like two hours Mum," Saffron rolled her eyes. "He's so insufferable."

Hermione had to agree with her daughter, but she knew she shouldn't say anything to worsen the situation.

"Well, you just keep being the bright, intelligent girl that you are and you'll win him over," Hermione said causing Harry and Saffron to look at her as if she'd just sprouted a second head. "Okay, maybe that's asking a lot from Professor Snape. But hopefully Dumbledore will say something to him about this grudge he has against your father."

"I hope so," Saffron replied. "I want to be the smartest girl in school like Lizzy was when she was here. And like you were in Beauxbatons Mum."

Hermione smiled. "You're well on your way, sweetheart."

Saffron grinned. "Thanks," she said, sliding over to lean against her mother. "I really do miss you guys a lot." she said.

"We miss you too," Hermione said kissing the top of Saffron's head. "My baby girl."

"I can't wait to be home for Christmas." Saffron replied. "We'll have loads of fun this year now that Ethan and Maddie are dating. I'm glad that cheese person won't be around to steal him away all the time."

Harry laughed. "Now Maddie can steal him away all the time. We hardly see him as it is. If I didn't work with him..."

"Which reminds me," Hermione said. "Harry, you should tell Saffron who your new partner is."

"You have to promise you won't breathe a word of this to your brother until after next week," Harry said with a grin. "But I've managed to work it out that he'll be partnering up with me for his last bit of training."

"Dad!" Saffron squealed. "He's going to be over the moon about that!"

"I know, I can't wait to see his face when he gets his assignment," Harry laughed. "I'll make sure and tell him to owl you with the news."

"He'd better," Saffron said grinning. "Tell him not to leave anything out."

"I promise," Harry ruffled her hair. "What's your afternoon schedule look like sweetheart?"

"We have Herbology after lunch," Saffron replied. "And then Care of Magical Creatures."

"Sounds like a full day," Hermione replied, setting her napkin on her empty plate. "You were right Harry- that beats anything I ever ate at Beauxbatons."

"What was that?" Harry asked. "Can you repeat that?"

"Sod off," Hermione gave him a glare. "I'm woman enough to admit when you're right."

"Since it doesn't happen too often," Saffron teased causing her father to tickle her side. "Dad!"

"I've got two of my best girls ganging up against me," Harry laughed.

"We still love you Dad," Saffron said. She looked at the clock over Harry's shoulder and frowned. "I should get to class."

"Of course," Harry said. The three of them walked up to the front of the Great Hall where Saffron hugged her parents goodbye.

"Don't forget to owl me that essay," Hermione reminded her daughter.

"I promise," Saffron said. "And I'll tell you if Snape keeps treating me bad too."

"You do that," Harry said. "And we'll sic your mother on him."

"I'll tell him a thing or two if he keeps treating my baby the way he has," Hermione said. "That self righteous son of a--"

Harry covered his wife's mouth with his hand. "Remember, we want to set a good example for Saffy."

"It's okay Mum," Saffron grinned mischievously. "You can say it."

"Your father's right," Hermione said causing Harry to pump his fist in triumph.

"Two times in one day!" he crowed.

"You're making a spectacle of yourself and embarrassing your daughter," Hermione admonished. "Let's go."

"She's just mad that I was the more mature parent today," Harry whispered to Saffron as he gave her one last hug. "Take care, sweetheart."

"Love you Dad," Saffron hugged him back, then turned to her mother.

"I don't like that you felt you had to get back at your professor like that," Hermione said putting her hands on Saffron's shoulders. "But I am glad that you stood up for something you believed in. I'm very proud of you, Saffron."

"Thanks Mum," Saffron said with a grin. "I'm pretty proud of me too."

"Off to class with you," Hermione said ruffling Saffron's hair. "And say hello to R.J. and Alexa for us, okay?"

"I will," Saffron said, scampering off in the direction of the Herbology greenhouse.

"You think Snape will leave her alone?" Hermione asked as she and Harry made their way out of the castle.

"He'd better," Harry said. "The bloody wanker."

"I bet her essay was brilliant," Hermione said. "And I know I'm biased..."

"If you're biased then so am I," Harry said. "She's a smart girl, just like you."

"And as stubborn as both of us," Hermione said. "She's not ready to let go of that Greta issue..."

"I know, she's been going on about it since summer hols," Harry answered. "I keep telling her that we're not getting Greta back. I thought if she went over there to help out during the day while she was home she'd feel better but..." he sighed and ploughed his hands through his hair.

"She doesn't think it's the same," Hermione said. "You know how important family is to Saffron. She's very territorial about you, me, Ethan and Julie. You remember how upset she was last summer when you were spending all that time with your granddaughters."

"Yeah I remember that," Harry said. "She hated Bree because she thought she took up all Ethan's time."

"I think it has something to do with the fact that she was the baby of the family for so long," Hermione said thoughtfully. "Her brother and sister are older than she is and everyone's always doted on her."

"She still gets plenty of attention," Harry said. "After we came home from Brighton there was barely a day we didn't do something with her."

"I know," Hermione said. "But at least she doesn't act ugly to Katie and Ashley about it. She's never been anything but sweet to those girls."

"Saffy's a good girl, and like you said she loves her family." Harry slid an arm around his wife.

"We should be glad she wants to spend time with us," Hermione said relaxing against him. "Most kids would rather run a mile than spend time with their parents."

"I'm glad she does," Harry answered. "This... having three kids who love spending time with us, makes up for not having a good childhood myself."

"Well you wanted to give them what you never had growing up," Hermione said. "And you have in spades, Harry."

Harry grinned at her. "You know, none of this would have been possible without you."

"We did it together," Hermione said leaning in for a kiss.

"Aye," Harry let his lips linger. "Damn it I don't want to go back to work now," he groaned.

"Do you have to?" Hermione asked fingering his collar. "Because, I was thinking that we might have something at home that we have to tend to. It's very, very important..."

"You temptress," he growled softly.

"So," Hermione whispered. "Are you tempted?"

"You know me," Harry smirked at her. "Doesn't take much."

"So that's a yes?" Hermione asked.

"Damn you woman, of course that's a yes," Harry said, skimming his lips along her ear.

"Who ever knew playing hooky could be so much fun?" she asked with a laugh.

"I did," Harry said. "And as soon as we get home, I'm going to show you just how much fun..."

"What are we waiting for then?" Hermione asked eagerly. "Let's go home, Mr. Potter."

"Home it is," Harry said, laughing as they headed for the Floo.

Later that evening, Saffron was sitting in the Gryffindor Common Room going over her Charms notes when she saw R.J. climb through the portrait hole. He quickly made his way over to her.

"So?" he asked sitting down on the sofa beside her. "How'd it go?"

"You didn't hear?" she asked ruefully. "I got caught and Snape owled my parents and made them come in for a conference with him and Dumbledore."

"No, I had double Charms this afternoon followed by double Defence," he explained. "I imagine Aunt Hermione and Uncle Harry weren't too pleased, eh?"

"Well," Saffron chewed her lower lip thoughtfully. "They were mad, but more at Snape than at me. They actually told him that my essay was probably great- which of course it is- and he only gave me failing marks because of who my father is. And he tried to get me to fess up as to who gave me the exploding powder in my potion--"

"And did you?" R.J. asked. The last thing he needed was to serve detention with Snape.

Saffron gave him a look. "What do you think I am, a nark?" she asked.

"No," R.J. said punching her playfully in the arm. "I know you wouldn't. I just wanted to make sure."

"Well I have two week's detention- one week with Snape and one week with McGonagall. And she's going to look over my essay for me to check and see why Snape failed me. I think Dumbledore must have said something, but don't tell anyone else- he told me to keep it a secret." Saffron confessed.

"You're secret is safe with me," R.J. said grinning at her. "You know, you're okay for a fourth year."

"You're not so bad for a mouldy old 6th year," Saffron teased.

R.J. chuckled. "So what are you up to? Studying as usual?"

Saffron nodded. "Big Transfiguration exam coming up next week," she replied.

"Which you'll ace like you always do," R.J. said.

"I hope so," Saffron said fervently.

"You will," R.J. said with a yawn. "Well, this soggy old 6th year is going to bed."

"You're so boring," Saffron teased.

"Well when it's between sleep and a Transfiguration textbook," R.J. said pointing at her book. "I think my choice is the better one. Good night Saf."

"Night R.J.," Saffron smiled at him. "See you tomorrow."

He started to walk toward the stairs but turned around. "And Saf?"

"Yeah?" she asked.

"Thanks," he said grinning at her before running up the stairs.

"Welcome," Saffron grinned back.

*** *** ***

Chiaki and Cho were sitting just inside a coffee shop waiting for Allison and Frankie to arrive so they could have a girls only shopping spree. Of course, that wasn't the only reason why they were here. Chiaki was going to let her sisters in on something she'd just found out at the doctor's office this morning. She was pregnant with her first child. She and Toshio had decided to put off starting a family until after Chiaki retired from professional dancing.

It had been three months since she'd officially hung up her dancing shoes to teach with her mother at the dancing academy. And she was about that far along in her pregnancy.

"Your sisters are going to be so happy," Cho told her daughter. "I can't wait to see their faces

"Me either," Chiaki hugged her stomach. "I feel so... fulfilled!"

Cho laughed. "That's good. And you'll finally be able to eat whatever you want!"

"I'm having fish and chips today," Chiaki said dreamily, toying with a long strand of hair. "Extra chips, with loads of vinegar."

"No more of that awful bean curd and sprouts," Cho said scrunching up her nose in disgust. "Come on, Chi. Admit it. You never really liked those things, did you?"

"Mmm..." Chiaki closed her eyes and let her head rest on her mother's shoulder. "Bean curd sounds fantastic right now."

"Bean curd never, ever sounds fantastic," Cho said. "You need to be thinking about chocolates, biscuits, toffee...that sounds fantastic."

"Grandma!" a little girl's voice called out and Cho looked up to see Caroline running full speed toward her. Allison was pushing Emma in the pram and Frankie was talking animatedly to someone on her mobile phone.

"Hello sweetheart," Cho laughed as Caroline nearly bowled her over. "Oh I've missed you so much." she kissed the four year old's cheeks repeatedly.

"I missed you too!" Caroline giggled. "Hi, Aunt Chiaki!"

"Hello Caroline," Chiaki reached for her niece. "You look so pretty today in your new robes!"

Caroline smiled and hugged her aunt as Frankie and Allie finally joined them. Allison rolled her eyes as Frankie flirted incessantly with whomever it was she was talking to on the phone.

"Who is she talking to?" Cho asked Allison.

"Will again," Allison rolled her eyes as she hugged her mother hello. "Apparently they're back on this week."

"No," Frankie said giggling into the phone. "You hang up...no, you first! Okay, you....no....you were supposed to hang up, Will..."

"Francesca hang up the bloody phone," Allison said impatiently. "You've been yakking since we got on the Underground."

Frankie glared at her and then quickly said a goodbye to Will before clicking off her phone. "Sorry about that. You know how he can get!"

"We all do," Cho, Chiaki and Allison answered at once.

"Aunt Frankie how come you always have a new boyfriend?" Caroline asked innocently as Cho lifted Emma from the pram.

"I do not always have a new boyfriend," Frankie said defensively. She looked at Allison. "What on earth do you tell this child?"

"I don't have to tell her anything!" Allison said. "She's a smart girl aren't you sweetheart?"

"Daddy says I'm like a sponge," Caroline replied beaming at her mother.

Chiaki laughed. "You certainly are," she scooped the little girl up. "I have some special news I want to tell you guys before we start shopping."

"Oooh," Frankie said eagerly. "Is it gossip?"

Chiaki laughed. "Not really," she looked at her mother with a grin. "This morning I found out that Toshio and I will be parents in about six months!"

Allison squealed. "Oh, Chi! That's fantastic!"

"Thanks Allie," Chiaki said gleefully. "Tosh is going to be so excited when I tell him tonight."

"Are you going to have a little boy or a little girl?" Caroline asked.

"We don't know yet love," Chiaki said. "We'll find out when I have the baby. But I promise you'll get to hold him or her when they're born okay?"

"Okay," Caroline said happily.

"You're glowing," Allison said to her older sister. "I can't remember ever seeing you this happy."

"I don't think I ever have been," Chiaki said. "Knowing that I'm pregnant just makes me feel so complete." the group of women began walking along the pavement.

"That's how I felt when I found out I was pregnant with Caroline," Allison said.

"You were happy right Mummy?" Caroline dropped back to help her mother push her little sister's pram.

"I was more than happy," Allison said smiling at her daughter. "I was ecstatic. And so was your Daddy. "

"I make everyone happy," Caroline beamed.

"Yes you do," Allison said making a goofy face at her.

"So," Chiaki asked her baby sister. "You always hate to be left out of the loop. Allie's got two children now. I have one on the way..."

"I am perfectly fine just being an aunt," Frankie said smugly. "I don't want to ruin this perfect figure."

Cho shook her head. "Frankie, Frankie, Frankie..."

"I've worked for this figure," Frankie patted her flat stomach proudly. "And besides, I have no desire to be a single mum. And I'm certainly not getting married anytime soon."

"I'm sure Will, Tim, Alex, Chris, Trevor, Stephen, Michael, and Bradley will be glad to hear that," Cho teased.

"You forgot Tom," Frankie tossed her glossy black hair.

"Who's Tom?" Allison and Chiaki asked.

"Another one of my boyfriends," Frankie said as if they should have known all along.

"How do you keep track of them all?" Chiaki asked as they made their way into one of Lavender's boutiques.

"Eye colour, height, and hair type," Frankie grinned at her sister.

"I'm partial to tall redheads with blue eyes," Allison said.

"With the initials JW?" Cho teased her daughter.

"Yes," Allison said with a laugh.

"So what are we looking for?" Chiaki asked, looking at a rack of robes against the wall.

"Anything and everything," Frankie said already going through a rack of robes.

"I need to get Emma some new robes," Allison said. "And Caroline could use a few sets for just wearing out in Diagon Alley."

"Lavender really makes some beautiful robes for babies," Cho said. The baby collection was one of Lavender's best sellers and had been inspired by designs she'd made when Saffron was still a baby. In fact the line bore Saffron's name.

"I think it's sweet of her to set aside a part of the profits as well for Saffy," Chiaki said. "Lavender's so cool. She also makes amazing maternity robes."

"She certainly does," Allison agreed.

"If you weren't so much shorter than me we could share robes," Chiaki teased her sister.

"I'm only a couple of inches shorter than you," Allison said defensively. "And I'm not a dancer like you and mum so it doesn't matter..."

"And Daddy loves her just like she is," Caroline chimed in.

"That's right sweetheart, he does." Allison smiled at her daughter. "Did you find a set of robes you like?"

"I like these pink ones," Caroline said holding up a small set of robes.

"Those are lovely," Cho said taking them from her granddaughter. "How about you go with Grandma to try them on?"

"Okay!" Caroline agreed happily.

Cho led the little girl away and Allison sat down on one of the plush sofas with Emma.

"Frankie," she heard Chiaki exclaim a few inches away. "There's no way you're going to wear those! It barely covers you up!"

Allison laughed as she saw the short robes Frankie had pulled on. "I think that's the whole point Chi."

"Will likes my legs," Frankie said twirling around. "He said they're my best feature."

"Among other things," Chiaki muttered to Allison as she sat down next to her.

"Nice to see our sister is so humble and modest, isn't it?" Allison joked.

"I can hear you both, you know." Frankie said indignantly. "Just because I don't want to settle down and be an old maid doesn't mean you two are any better than me."

"So you're saying I'm an old maid?" Allison asked.

"No," Frankie said. "I'm just saying that you've only dated one boy, haven't you? And you got married at 17. There's loads of things I want to do with my life than sit at home with a baby..."

"Well I'm older than both of you and I'm just now having my first baby," Chiaki pointed out. "And I got married at 22 and I've enjoyed every moment of it."

"And Jon and I waited until after I finished school before we tried for a baby," Allison said.

"Yes, but you stopped working after Caroline was born," Frankie said. "Don't you get bored cleaning up after children and changing dirty nappies..."

"No," Allison said, reaching for Emma's diaper bag as the baby started to fuss. "Just trust me when I say this Frankie- when you have kids, it's like something completely new just takes over you."

"And Allison does work," Chiaki said. "Being a wife and mother is a hard job, harder than being a dancer."

"That sort of thing doesn't appeal to me," Frankie said. "That's why I like being with Caroline and Emma. I get to give them back to you after a few hours."

"A few minutes more like," Allison muttered.

Chiaki snorted as she took the bottle from her sister. "I need the practise," she grinned.

"By all means," Allison said handing Emma over to her. "I'm just going to check on Caroline and Mum."

"All right," Chiaki cuddled Emma closely as she drank thirstily from the bottle.

She looked over at Frankie when Allison was out of earshot. "You hurt Allie's feelings, you know that don't you?"

"I did?" Frankie asked. "I didn't mean to Chi."

"Well you should really think about some of the things you say before you say them," Chiaki said. "You basically implied that her life was shite because she chose to stay at home with her daughters."

"That isn't what I meant and you know it," Frankie said defensively. "How do you think I felt with you two implying that my life is shite because I'm not settled down like you both?"

"It might not have been what you meant, but it certainly came out that way," Chiaki said. "And Allie and I never suggested that you should settle down. If what you're doing makes you happy, that's fine. That's all we want for you Frankie."

"Well that's good," Frankie grinned impishly. "Now, do you think Will would enjoy me in these?" she pulled out an even shorter set of robes.

"If he has a pulse he probably would," Chiaki said laughing.

"I can vouch that he does," Frankie's eyes gleamed.

"How do I look?" Caroline crowed, posing for her aunts.

"Absolutely gorgeous," Frankie said grinning at her.

"Beautiful," Chiaki said to her niece with a wink.

"Mummy can I have these?" Caroline asked.

"Sure, sweetheart," Allison said picking her up. "I think you look absolutely adorable."

Cho smiled. "Let me get these for her," she said. "I know you said she needed some casual robes and I feel like spoiling all my girls today just a little bit."

"Thanks, Mum," Allison said. "Caroline is growing like a weed. It seems like everything we buy she outgrows within a couple of months..."

"At least you can pass it down to Emma," Cho said. "And if Chiaki has a girl then to her as well."

"Mum, can you get me these?" Frankie said holding up the skimpy robes. When Cho's mouth dropped, Frankie pouted. "Come on, Mum. You said you wanted to spoil us today. These are the robes I want."

"But Frankie, these are hardly robes..." Cho didn't like the thought of her daughter flouncing around in something so skimpy.

"And Dad would flip if he saw you in them," Chiaki chimed in. "You know how he gets, Frankie."

"Then I'll buy them myself," Frankie said with a pout.

Cho watched as her youngest daughter stalked off to the changing rooms. "That girl is going to send me to an early grave."

"All of us," Chiaki said. "Are you going to get them for her?"

"I don't want to, but I did say I would buy each of you some robes," Cho said running a hand through her hair. "But you're right. Neville would have a coronary if he knew I bought her those."

"Dad's a bit overprotective," Allison said wryly.

"Says the person who would know best," Chiaki joked. "And that was with one boy. Imagine how he feels with Frankie and her boyfriends."

"Thank Merlin he doesn't know about half of them," Chiaki said with a laugh. "Come on though, she always has felt left out- I guess we shouldn't make her feel completely ostracized."

"Not a word of this to your father then," Cho said looking at her daughters. "Agreed?"

Chiaki and Allison both nodded.

With a sigh, Cho walked back to the changing rooms.

"Frankie?" she called out.

"What?" Frankie asked, rolling her eyes.

"If those are the robes you want," Cho began. "I'll buy them for you."

"Why change your mind now?" Frankie asked, yanking open the door.

"Those are the robes you want," Cho replied. "And you are a grown woman now. You're free to dress as you please."

Frankie stared at her mother for a moment. "Why does everyone always pick on me because I like to dress this way? It's the way I like to look. Big deal if Dad doesn't like it- he doesn't like when any of us started dating."

"You're right," Cho said nodding. "And like I said, you are a grown woman able to make her own choices and decisions. I may not like all of them or agree with them, but they are yours to make, Frankie."

"I can tell you disapprove of me dating like I do," Frankie shrugged.

"I won't lie to you," Cho admitted. "I'm not crazy about it. But, you are responsible and I trust that you are taking every precaution."

"Of course I am," Frankie said. "I'm not stupid."

"I know that," Cho said putting a hand on Frankie's arm. "Contrary to popular belief Frankie, I am on your side."

"It's just hard- I mean I know I have a good job and you guys are proud of me for that, but it just seems like everyone disapproves of me because I'm not settling down." Frankie toyed with the edge of her robe.

"You don't have to do that until you're ready," Cho told her. "That is one of your best qualities---your independence, Frankie. It always has been. You've always wanted to do things your way on your own terms."

Frankie finally smiled. "Kind of like you."

Cho smiled back. "Just a little..."

"A little?" Frankie laughed. "You've always done things your own way too."

"I suppose I have," Cho admitted.

"I'm sorry for still being a brat," Frankie hugged her mom. "I guess I'm still trying to get away with it while I'm in my twenties."

"Do it while you can," Cho said with a laugh.

"While I still have Dad wrapped around my little finger," Frankie said as her mother slid an arm around her shoulders and they walked back out into the shop.

"You are the baby," Cho said grinning at her. "He always has had a soft spot for you."

"Well you look a sight better," Chiaki said as she set Emma back in her pram.

"Just a sight?" Frankie asked. "You should have seen me in those robes. I looked fabulous. Didn't I, Mum?"

"Quite," Cho laughed. "Well I think Frankie and Caroline are set, so what about you two?" she indicated her two older daughters.

Allison looked at her own two daughters wondering how she'd be able to shop for herself while keeping an eye on them.

"I'll watch them for you," Frankie offered. "You go on browse with Mum and I'll take care of the girls."

"You will?" Allison asked taken aback.

"Yeah sure," Frankie grinned. "We'll sit here and Caroline can show me how well she can read."

"Okay," Allison said still a little unsure. "That's really nice of you Frankie."

"I'm a good reader Aunt Frankie," Caroline said, climbing onto the sofa.

"I know you are," Frankie said smiling at her. "Did you bring a book with you?"

Allison grinned. "Half her little library's worth," she said, opening the other side of the diaper bag.

Allison handed Caroline the big book of fairy tales that Luna and Ron had given her on Caroline's last birthday.

"Why don't you pick a fairy tale to read while your mum goes and looks at robes," Frankie pulled Caroline over on her lap.

"How about Cinderella?" Caroline asked. "It's my most favourite."

"Sure," Frankie said. "Go on Allie, we'll be fine right here."

"Okay," Allison said kneeling down in front of Caroline. "You be a good girl for your aunt okay?"

"I will Mummy," Caroline promised.

Allison smiled and kissed Caroline on the cheek before following Cho and Chiaki to the back of the shop.

"Well there was a surprise," Allison said to her sister and mother.

"She's trying," Cho said. "I think we should all cut her some slack."

"I kind of laid into her back there," Chiaki said softly. "About saying we were old maids and stuff."

"I know she doesn't mean for the things she says to come out the way she does," Allison said. "I'll try and be a little more patient with her, Mum."

"She cares a lot about you both," Cho said. "She just wants to be respected for who she is."

Allison nodded. "I won't give her such a hard time about her dating anymore."

"That's my girls," Cho hugged them both to her.

36. Chapter 36

Authors' note: Thanks to everyone who keeps reading and reviewing. For those of you who were waiting for something big to happen, it does in this chapter. And if you know us, you'll have an idea with how it ends… mwhahahhahaha. And a big thanks to all of you who showed support for us and our story when someone plagiarized the Dirty Dancing series. It really made us feel good that so many of you stood up for us. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Ethan followed his fellow Auror trainees into the large meeting room. He could hardly believe that he was in the final bit of training- he had pestered his father all week to let him know who his partner would be but Harry had remained tight lipped, only saying he'd find out today.

None of their instructors had arrived yet, so the trainees stood and chatted among themselves while they waited.

"I hope I get Harry Potter," one of them was saying. "Could you imagine how great it would be to learn from him?"

Ethan smiled. He would have loved to get teamed up with his father but he knew it probably wouldn't happen.

"So who do you think you'll get?" Ethan's good friend Justin asked.

"I don't know," Ethan replied. "I'd love to have my dad or Neville but they won't let us choose."

"Sterling said that the instructors throw all our names in a hat and choose that way," Justin said. "Maybe you'll get lucky. You never know."

"Who do you think you'll get?" Ethan asked, changing the subject a bit.

"I don't know," Justin replied. "I just hope it's not Stevens. He was brutal. But knowing my rotten luck that's probably who I'll end up with."

"When my dad was training they had this guy named Thackeray- I guess he was a complete arse," Ethan said.

"I've heard some stories about him," Justin said shaking his head. "Lupin said he made Stevens look like a saint."

"If you'll all take a seat," Lupin said coming into the meeting room with some of the other instructors. Harry nodded at his son before taking his seat beside Neville.

Ethan crossed his fingers as Lupin gave them a short speech before starting to read off the list of names.

"Natalie Worthington and Justin Tate," Lupin called out.

"Oooh," Justin whispered to Ethan. "An older woman..."

"My dad trained her," Ethan whispered back. "She's pretty hot." he joked.

Lupin continued to call out name after name and so far no one had been paired off with Harry much to Ethan's delight. But, he wasn't about to get his hopes up. Stevens was still free and Ethan thought it would be just his luck to end up with that tyrant for the next few weeks.

"Ethan Potter and Harry Potter," Lupin paused to smile a moment at the young man and Ethan grinned, pumping his fist at his side.

Once Lupin was finished calling out the list of names, Harry made his way over to his son.

"I thought I'd come over and see what kind of hand I've been dealt," he joked.

"This is great Dad!" Ethan said excitedly. "I was hoping I'd get partnered up with you but I didn't think they would since you're my father!"

"They drew the names over three weeks ago," Harry explained. "I was excited as you were when I found out. You don't know how hard it's been to keep the secret."

"You mean you've known all this time?" Ethan asked. "How come you couldn't tell me before?"

"I couldn't," Harry said. "It's against the rules and you know what a stickler I am for following the rules."

"Yeah I know," Ethan replied. "I can't wait to tell Mum and Julie and I'll have to owl Saffy."

"Well," Harry said looking sheepishly at him. "The thing is...they sort of already know..."

"So everyone knew but me?" Ethan asked. "What about Maddie?"

"I didn't tell her," Harry answered. "But if you ask me, I think she might have seen it..."

Ethan raised his eyebrows. "Maybe she did," he shrugged. "This is still great. I've always wanted to go out in the field and work with you."

"Since you were about this big," Harry said bending over and holding his hand to his knee.

"That's right," Ethan grinned. "What's our first assignment?"

"Did you hear about that case in Surrey?" Harry asked.

"The one about the witch casting charms all over the place in a Muggle area?" Ethan nodded.

"That's the one," Harry said. "Care to help your old man with that one?"

"Definitely," Ethan agreed enthusiastically.

"Come on up to my--I mean--our office," Harry said. "I'll brief you on what we know so far."

"Great," Ethan followed his father upstairs.

"You do have to owl Saffy," Harry said as they walked. "She made me promise."

"I'll do it later tonight," Ethan said. "I owe her a letter."

"You might want to send her some tips on how you dealt with Snape while you were in school," Harry said.

"He's been giving her a hard time aye?" Ethan asked as they rode in the lift.

"To put it mildly," Harry said explaining to his son the incident at Hogwarts.

"He is definitely a piece of work," Ethan shook his head. "Nothing I ever did could please that arse."

The lift pinged open and Harry and Ethan stepped out.

"Your mum seems to think that Dumbledore will finally get through to him, but I'm not so sure."

"He'll never change," Ethan said. "Anyway- tell me more about this witch and what we have to do."

Harry held his office door open for his son. "The case files are on your desk. That will give you the specifics. We have a couple of leads, but nothing concrete."

"All right," Ethan said sitting down and perusing the files.

Harry sat down in his desk chair and waited for his son to finish reading. He couldn't begin to put into words how great it would be to work side by side with his son.

"All right," Ethan said as he set the files aside ten minutes later. "So we have to do some memory modification and some cleanup."

"Exactly," Harry said. "But we'll have to be discrete. Discretion is very important when you're dealing with Muggles."

"Tell me about it," Ethan said.

"How are you on memory charms?" Harry asked.

"Pretty good," Ethan said. "They weren't my strongest, but they held out."

"If you're ready we can head on out to Surrey now," Harry said.

"Great," Ethan said. "I can't wait to get started."

"I'm proud of you Ethan," Harry said smiling at his son. "You've done really well in the program."

"Thanks Dad," Ethan was happy that his father was praising him. "I wanted to make you and mum proud."

"You have," Harry told him.

"I can't wait to tell Maddie about this even though she already seems to know," Ethan said.

"Things seem to be going well then with Maddie?" Harry asked.

"Everything's fantastic," Ethan said. "She's really something Dad."

Harry smiled. "I seem to remember a certain young man who used to cringe at the thought of spending time alone with little Maddie Weasley."

"Back when I was young and stupid," Ethan laughed. "And I swore I'd never like girls."

"And we all told you you'd change your tune when you were older," Harry teased.

"Right, right." Ethan said. "I know we've only been together a few months but I can't imagine being without her Dad."

Harry knew how Ethan felt. He'd felt the same way about Hermione.

"I'm not saying I want to marry her yet or anything," Ethan continued. "But she's really amazing." he told his father about her and that girl Jackie in the cafeteria. "I've never seen her get angry before that."

"I didn't even know Maddie could get angry," Harry commented.

"I didn't either." he replied. "She said she has Uncle Ron's temper."

"That's scary," Harry said shuddering. "I'll be sure to say some prayers for you."

Ethan laughed. "Well she told me that's why she doesn't get angry that often. A lot of things that bother people don't bother her."

"She's more like Luna than she is like Ron," Harry said. "So that's good for you."

"She's just really fantastic," Ethan said as they reached the department where they'd get a portkey to Surrey.

"You should bring her over to dinner some night," Harry said. "Your mum and I are quite lonely in that house by ourselves. We'd love to have you two come over."

"Sounds good to me," Ethan said. "I'm sure Maddie would love that too."

"It can be a celebratory dinner," Harry suggested. "To celebrate how well you're both doing in your new jobs."

"I'll talk to her tonight," Ethan promised. "And I'll owl you."

"Okay then," Harry said. "Now, how about we go and work your first case?"

Ethan nodded eagerly. "Sounds good."

*** *** ***

Chiaki struggled to open the door as she was laden down with so many shopping bags. At Lavender's boutique, her mother had bought her some new maternity clothes even though Chiaki had protested that she wouldn't need them for a few weeks. It had been lovely to spend that time with her family and now she was ready to share the big news with her husband.

While she had retired from professional dance, Toshio was still very much involved. Male dancers had a much longer shelf life than their female counterparts. A couple of years ago, Toshio had turned their basement into a home dance studio and it was one of her favourite parts of their home.

It was there that she found him, stretching before he began his practise. She grinned mischievously as he bent over and touched his toes.

"There's the best looking arse in all of Britain," she called out.

"And it's all yours for the touching," Toshio grinned at his wife.

She laughed as she carried her shopping bags down to show him what she'd bought.

"Are we broke?" he teased. "Do I have to take on extra time or did you spare us some money?"

"Mum bought most of it," Chiaki explained setting the bags down. She gave him a kiss hello. "If you think this is bad, you should see what Frankie talked Mum into buying for her."

"Considering it's Frankie, I'm not sure if I want to know," Toshio kissed her again. "We miss you at the company."

"That's because I'm irreplaceable," she replied winking at him.

"Especially to me," Toshio said softly.

"Sweet talker," she said taking his hand and dragging him down to the floor. "I know you hate shopping, but I want you to see some of the things Mum bought me."

"All right," Toshio laughed.

Chiaki grinned as she started unloading one of the heavier bags. She lugged out two canisters of paint and some paint brushes. She tried not to smile as she looked at her husband.

"She bought you paint?" Toshio was confused.

"For the remodelling we'll have to do," Chiaki said as if he should have known the answer. "And wait until you see this..."

Toshio watched as she pulled out a small yellow blanket.

"That's a bit small for our bed," Toshio's brow was creased.

"That's because it's not for our bed silly," Chiaki said handing him the blanket. "And it's in yellow which is a nice neutral colour...since we don't really know, you know?"

"Know what?" Toshio asked and then his eyes suddenly popped wide open. "Chi are you... are we...?

Chiaki giggled. "Are we what?" she asked innocently.

"Are you pregnant?" Toshio asked.

Chiaki nodded unable to contain her excitement. She launched herself at her husband embracing him with gusto that would have made Molly Weasley jealous.

"Merlin Chi this is fantastic," Toshio whirled her around. "How long- I mean how far are you?"

"About three months," she answered.

"This is really wonderful," Toshio said. "We're going to be parents!"

"We sure are, Dad," she said softly.

"I can't wait to tell everyone!" Toshio said excitedly.

"My mum and sisters already know," Chiaki said. "And Caroline, too. So Jon probably already knows and I imagine when Frankie comes up for air, Will will know too."

Toshio laughed. "We're going to have to have a celebration dinner soon so we can spill the beans before your mum does."

"She promised not to say anything to Daddy, but I imagine he knows already," Chiaki laughed.

Toshio hugged his wife tightly. "I love you so much," he said. "You make me so happy Chi."

"I love you too," Chiaki said hugging him back. "And we're going to have our own little girl or boy."

"What do you think it is?" Toshio touched her stomach.

"Girls do seem to run in my family," Chiaki said.

"A little girl that looks just like her gorgeous mother," Toshio said.

"Or a little boy who looks as handsome as his father," Chiaki countered.

"What if you have twins," Toshio joked.

"Twins?" Chiaki asked, shaking her head.

Toshio leaned in and kissed her again. "This is really the best news ever." he said softly.

"Yes it is," Chiaki said smiling at him. "I'm so happy."

"We'll have to figure out what room we want to use for the nursery," Toshio said. "Sod practise for tonight."

Chiaki laughed. "I don't think I've ever heard you say that."

"It's a once in a lifetime thing," Toshio joked. "I'm too excited about this."

"Me too," Chiaki said. "There's so much to plan!"

"Let's get started," Toshio grabbed her hand.

"Don't you want to tell your parents?" she asked.

"Of course," Toshio said. "One of many, many things we have to do."

"Right," Chiaki said nodding. "Lead the way..."

*** *** ***

It was a few weeks after Ethan and Harry had started training together and he and Maddie had finally found an evening they were both free to have dinner with Harry and Hermione.

"Mum your lasagne is still the best I've ever had," Ethan said, going for a third helping.

"Thanks sweetheart," Hermione said smiling at him. "It is the one thing I can make and make well."

"The one thing she doesn't burn," Harry interjected cheekily.

"Watch it you," Hermione said glaring at him.

Maddie smiled. "It really is fantastic," she said. "I know I've always loved it."

"Thank you Maddie," Hermione said warmly. "But don't get too filled up on this. I bought a lemon pie from that bakery down the street for dessert..."

The telephone in the kitchen rang and Hermione excused herself to go and get it, figuring it was a phone call from her parents.

"I wonder if she'd notice if I snuck the rest of this home," Ethan said. "I really need to get down to the shops- I have almost no food."

"That's not true," Maddie said laughing. "You have that awful green stuff that we haven't been able to identify. We think it was once cheese, but we're not so sure."

Harry made a face. "Even Ron wouldn't eat that--" he began but was interrupted by his wife's cry.

Ethan, Harry and Maddie both hurried into the kitchen to see what the matter was.

"What happened Mum?" Hermione was holding her hand over her mouth and looked horrified as tears gathered in her eyes.

Harry took the phone from Hermione and put it back on the hook.

"My...my father," Hermione was able to choke out.

"What is it?" Harry was worried- her face was positively ashen.

"He---he's had a heart attack," Hermione said shakily.

"No," Ethan said shaking his head. "Not Grandpa Robert. He's not..."

"He's not dead," Hermione leaned against her husband as her knees threatened to give. "But Mum said the outlook isn't so good." she shook her head. "This can't happen- my dad is healthy as can be!"

Harry nodded. "We should get to the hospital. Do you know which one they took him to?"

"The general one in London," Hermione wiped her eyes.

"Mum, how about you and Dad go on ahead," Ethan suggested "I'll let Julie and Nick know. Should we say anything to Saffy?"

"Not yet," Hermione said, reaching for a tissue. "We'll get her if he... if Dad..." she faltered.

"He's going to be fine, sweetheart," Harry told his wife, wiping a tear from her cheek. "Your dad is a fighter."

"I hope he'll pull through," Hermione said, her voice shuddering. "We'll meet you at the hospital Ethan." she said.

Ethan nodded and watched as his mother and father hurried out of the house.

"Ethan," Maddie said gently. "Everything will be okay."

"He can't die Mads," Ethan said, clearly upset.

Maddie hugged him. "Do you want me to call Julie for you?"

"Would you Floo her?" he asked shakily.

Maddie nodded. "Of course."

Ethan sat down hard in one of the kitchen chairs as he heard Maddie go into the sitting room and call out to Julie. His older sister came rushing into the kitchen moments later.

"Ethan?" Julie asked. "What is it? Maddie said I need to get over here straightaway..."

"It's Grandpa," Ethan said dazedly. "Mum said he's had a bad heart attack."

The colour drained from Julie's face. "No..."

"Grandma said they don't know if he'll make it," Ethan looked up at his sister. "We need to get over to the hospital."

Julie nodded. "We should go."

"Will you come?" Ethan turned to Maddie, who had remained in the doorway.

"Of course," Maddie said.

In the hospital waiting room Elinore paced wishing that her daughter and niece would get here soon. She needed them now more than ever.

"Mum," Hermione came rushing in, trying to hold back her tears. "What's happening with Dad?"

Elinore shook her head. "I don't know. They haven't told me anything. Oh, sweetheart, I'm so scared!"

"I am too," Hermione buried her face in her mother's shoulder.

"I couldn't get in touch with Lavender," Elinore said sadly. "I left a message on her voice mail."

"I'm sure she'll get it and be here soon," Hermione tried to be comforting even though all she wanted to do was curl into her mother's arms and cry like she would if she was five.

In the meantime, Harry had walked over to the desk. "I wonder if someone could give us an update on Robert Granger's condition?" he asked quietly.

The nurse looked at him. "Are you a member of the immediate family?"

"I'm his son in law," Harry said. "If you'd like I can get my wife over here or my mother in law. We just want to know what's going on."

"No, that's okay," the nurse said keying in Robert's name in the computer. "He's still being examined sir. I'm sure his doctor will be out to give you a report soon."

"Thank you," Harry sighed and went back to the two women.

"We'd just had dinner," Elinore was telling Hermione. "And Robert was clearing things away. I was in the sitting room..."

Hermione squeezed her mother's hand and let her continue.

"And I heard this awful sound," Elinore said. "The...dishes...he'd collapsed...I didn't know what to do."

"You did the right thing by calling the ambulance," Hermione tried to be reassuring.

"He's been so tired lately," Elinore said. "He kept saying it was because he was just getting old. I should have made him get a check up. But you know how doctors are..."

"Doctors think they know everything," Harry joked gently, sitting down on the other side of his wife.

Neither Hermione nor Elinore could bring themselves to laugh.

"He was so pale Hermione," Elinore said weakly. "So pale."

"He's strong though Mum," Hermione hugged her mother.

Elinore nodded. "And stubborn."

Julie and Ethan arrived not twenty minutes later, followed by Lavender about ten minutes after that.

"We still haven't heard anything," Hermione said after hugging her cousin tightly. "Not a damn word."

"Someone had bloody better tell us what's going on," Lavender said hotly.

"I tried to get information but all they said was he was still being examined," Harry said apologetically. "Where's Seamus?"

"He's coming," Lavender said. "I had to get him off the set. He promised to come straightaway."

"Gran?" Julie asked sitting down gingerly beside her grandmother. On the way over, she and Ethan promised each other to be strong for their grandmother, mother and aunt, but seeing her grandmother like this, Julie couldn't follow through. She hugged Elinore tightly as tears flowed down her cheeks.

"Sweetheart," Elinore hugged her back. "I'm so glad you're here."

"I love him so much, Gran," Julie sobbed. "I don't think he knows..."

"He knows love," Elinore kissed her forehead. "He knows..."

A solemn looking doctor came into the waiting room and everyone froze.

"Elinore, I'm Dr. Stephens," he said extending his hand.

"Hello," Elinore wiped her eyes after shaking the doctor's hand. "What can you tell me about my husband?"

"Robert's had a massive heart attack," Dr. Stephens told her. "We've managed to stabilize him for now, but he's going to need a quadruple bypass."

Elinore's legs buckled. "Oh my," she whispered. "When can I see him?"

"You can see him now, but only for a few moments," the doctor said. "He's really weak."

"Thank you," Elinore said.

"You go on in first Mum," Hermione said, still holding her mother's hand.

Elinore nodded and gave her daughter and niece a hug before following the doctor.

"He can't die," Lavender whispered. "He has to be okay, Hermione. He has to be."

"I know Lav," Hermione huddled on a hard bench with her cousin. "I'm scared."

"I don't know what I'd do without him," Lavender said softly. "He took me in and raised me like I was his own daughter."

"He's always cared about you so much," Hermione said quietly.

"I should have visited more," Lavender said. "I should have spent more time with them. I'm so selfish, Hermione."

"You are not," Hermione said. "You're busy and you live overseas now."

"If he gets through this, I promise I will visit all the time," Lavender said looking up. "I will be a better niece."

Elinore came back out in tears. "Hermione, Lavender if you girls want to go in you'd better do it now- they're going to prep for surgery in a few minutes."

"I'll sit with Gran," Julie said putting an arm around Elinore. "You go ahead, Mum."

"Thank you dear," Hermione looked at her husband before going into her father's room with her cousin.

Robert's eyes were closed and he was hooked up to all sorts of machines that were beeping and blinking.

"Daddy?" Hermione asked uncertainly.

Robert's eyes blinked open and he gave her a slight smile. "There's my girl." He saw Lavender hovering beside her. "Both my girls."

Hermione couldn't control her tears. "Daddy we're so worried about you." she whispered.

Robert reached out and patted her hand. "Don't you worry about me, sweetheart. I'm going to be fine."

"I hope so Daddy," Hermione said. "I love you so much."

"Me too," Lavender said. "More than you know."

"I love you both very much," Robert put a hand on his daughter's cheek, then to Lavender's.

Lavender started to cry and hated herself for not being strong for her uncle. She'd just never seen him like this.

"You're going to get through this," she said as stoically as she could muster. "And when you do, we're going to have a big party."

Robert chuckled softly. "I'll keep that in mind."

Hermione kissed her father's cheek. "I'm so sorry for all that I put you through when I was younger. The worst time of my life was when you and I were arguing and..." her voice trailed off as a fresh set of tears rolled down her cheeks.

"And it all worked out for the best," Robert said. "I'm so proud of both of you. You both have excellent careers and husbands that treasure you like I always have."

"We do," Hermione said. "I know Ethan and Julie want to see you, Daddy. I just--I don't want to leave you without letting you know how much I love you. "

"I know sweetheart," Robert squeezed her hand gently.

Hermione and Lavender gave him one last hug.

"I'm going to be fine girls," Robert promised them. "I wouldn't lie to you now, would I?"

"Of course not Daddy," Hermione forced a smile onto her face. "I'll send in Julie and Ethan okay?"

Robert nodded. "I-I'd like to see Saffron too."

"I'll get her back from school," Hermione promised.

"Okay," Robert said and he watched as his daughter and niece walked out of his room.

Somehow Hermione and Lavender made it back to the waiting room.

"Harry," Hermione said shakily. "We need to get Saffy. He-he wants to see her."

"I'll go," Harry instantly said. "You stay here with your mum and Lav."

"Okay," Hermione said. "Please hurry, Harry."

"I will," he touched her cheek before heading to the loo to Apparate out.

Saffron was asleep when Harry arrived at Hogwarts. Professor McGonagall went to fetch her while Harry waited in the common room for his little girl. Saffron had always been close to her grandfather and unlike her father enjoyed playing golf with him whenever she got the chance. Harry had no idea how he was going to tell her what had happened.

"Daddy?" Saffron rubbed her eyes. "What's going on?"

Harry hugged her. "Saffy, something's...something's happened to your Grandpa. I need you to come with me to the hospital."

"Why?" Saffron asked, suddenly alert. "What's wrong with him?"

Harry led her over to the sofa in front of the fire. "He's had a heart attack. He's going to need major surgery. And he's asking to see you."

Saffron's lower lip trembled. "Is he going to die?" she asked.

"He's got some really good doctors," Harry said squeezing her hand. "They're going to take really good care of him, baby."

Saffron began to cry. "I don't want anything to happen to him!"

Harry hugged her. "I know sweetheart. I know."

Saffron felt her father pick her up and say something to McGonagall.

"Let's go to the hospital so you can see him all right?" Harry said gently.

"Okay," Saffron said quietly. "Let's go."

Harry Apparated them both down the street from the hospital; he was still carrying his youngest daughter when they came back into the waiting room.

"Hi baby," Hermione said coming over to join them. "I'm sorry we had to get you out of school."

"It's okay Mum," Saffron answered, sniffling. "Where's Grandpa?"

"Waiting for you," Hermione said wiping a tear from Saffron's cheek.

"How about I take her back there?" Harry asked.

"Sure," Hermione forced another smile onto her face.

Harry and Saffron quickly made their way down the hall and into Robert's room. A nurse was standing by his bed marking some things down on a chart.

"You must be the famous Saffron," the nurse said smiling at her. "Your grandfather here was just singing your praises."

That made Saffron smile a little bit as she tugged her pyjama top down. "Hi Grandpa," she said softly.

Robert gave her a big smile. "This is my partner in crime. Only person in the family to beat the trousers off me on the golf course."

Saffron smiled at him. "And I'll do it again when you get better Grandpa."

"You should really help your dad out," Robert joked. "He needs all the help he can get."

"I know he does," Saffron said. "We'll have to give him lessons next holiday."

"Yes we will," Robert said with a cough. He looked at his youngest granddaughter. "You remind me so much of your mother, Saffy."

"I do?" she asked, pleased.

"You look just like her," Robert said. "But it's not just that. You have this way of wanting to know anything and everything. And you also have this way of bringing out the best in people that you care about...just like your mum."

"Thanks Grandpa," Saffron whispered, kissing his cheek.

"Will you look out for your grandma while I'm in surgery?" Robert asked her. "She's going to need lots of hugs. You think you can do that for me?"

Saffron nodded. "I'll stay with her the whole time I promise." she sniffled.

"That's my girl," Robert said squeezing her hand. "I love you very much, Saffron Grace."

"I love you too Grandpa," Saffron said as the doctor came back into the room.

"Robert," Dr. Stephens said. "I'm sorry to interrupt, but it's about time..."

Robert nodded. "I'd just like to have a quick word with my son-in-law, if that's okay."

"Saffy, baby will you wait just outside for me?" Harry asked gently.

Saffron nodded and gave her grandfather one last hug and kiss on the cheek before walking out of the room.

Harry turned back to his father in law and tried to smile. "If you just wanted to ask if I'll go easy on the golf course with you from now on you're out of luck," he joked weakly.

Robert gave a little laugh. "You can admit that you were throwing all those games now. You aren't really that bad, are you?"

"Fraid so," Harry said sheepishly.

Robert smiled. "Well, it is good to know you're actually bad at something."

"That's the only thing," Harry said smiling back.

A sombre expression came over Robert's face and for the first time that evening he let his guard down. He hadn't told anyone else how scared he actually was.

"Listen," Robert said quietly. "There's a really good chance that I won't make it, Harry..."

"You shouldn't say that," Harry said.

"The odds aren't in my favour," Robert said. "And I'd never admit that I'm afraid to Ellie or to the girls or to my grandchildren..."

"For what it's worth I think you'll pull through," Harry replied supportively. "And I know you've got a room full of people out there rooting you on as well."

Robert nodded. "I didn't want to like you, you know?"

"Yeah I know," Harry said ruefully. "We didn't have the best first impressions of each other did we?"

"No, we didn't," Robert admitted. "But you've made my little girl so very happy. And you've given me three beautiful grandchildren."

Harry opened his mouth to respond, but Robert put his hand up.

"You and I have had our differences over the years and I just want you to know that..." Robert said with his voice catching in his throat. "That...that you're a good man, Harry. Hermione and the kids are lucky they have you."

"Thank you," Harry said with a smile. "That means a lot to me Robert. And for what it's worth, you're a great father in law and grandfather. I couldn't have asked for anyone better."

Robert smiled and shook Harry's hand. "If something should happen to me, promise you'll look after Ellie for me?"

Harry nodded. "I promise." he said as the doctor entered again.

"We need to prep you for surgery now Dr. Granger," he said.

"Right," Robert said stoically. "I'm ready."

"Good luck," Harry said. "We'll all be waiting for you."

Saffron was trying valiantly to hold back her tears but when she saw her father come out they began to flow in rivers. "Daddy I'm scared!" she said.

Harry scooped her up in his arms as if she were five years old. "I know baby. I know. We all are."

"I don't want him to die," Saffron whimpered as she buried her face in her father's shoulder.

"I know Saffy," he said softly. "Sweetheart, I wish I could tell you that everything was going to be okay. The truth is that I don't know. But you know what? Your Grandpa is in one of the best hospitals in the country and he has some really good doctors who are going to do everything they can to make him better."

"Okay," Saffron whispered. "Will you hold me for a little while?" she felt a bit silly asking that when she was fourteen years old but she needed her father right now.

Harry smiled at her. "Of course sweetheart. Do you want to go back to the waiting room or do you want to stay here?"

"Can we stay here for just a few minutes?" Saffron asked. "And then go back with everyone else?"

Harry nodded and sat down with her on a chair in the hall. "Your grandpa loves you very much, Saffy."

"I know he does," Saffron said in a shuddery voice.

"And you have had him wrapped around your little finger from the moment you were born," Harry said softly kissing her forehead.

"I just want him to be okay so bad Daddy," Saffron hugged her father tighter.

"Me too baby," Harry said holding his daughter while she cried. "Me too."

She cried again into his shoulder for a few minutes before pulling away and wiping her eyes. "I promised Grandpa I'd take care of Grandma while he's in surgery." she said.

"You ready to go back?" Harry asked her.

Saffron nodded and held onto her father's hand as they walked back together into the waiting room.

Seamus and Nick had arrived while they'd been back there and they were both trying to comfort their wives.

Hermione wiped her eyes when she saw her daughter and husband come back into the room. Hermione knew now it had been the right decision to pull her daughter out of school. Without a word, Saffron sat down beside her grandmother and gave her a big hug.

Elinore hugged her young granddaughter back tightly. "Thank you sweetheart. I needed that."

Hermione walked over to Harry. "How did she do with Dad?"

"Okay," Harry said. "She had a hard time not crying in the room with him."

"Me too," Hermione said hugging her husband.

Harry kissed the top of her head. "He'll be all right Hermione," he said quietly.

"I want to believe you," she whispered.

"He's strong," Harry said, as he'd been saying all night so far. "It's a tough surgery but he's going to pull through."

"He needs us to be strong," Hermione said. "And I'm really trying..."

"You're doing a great job," Harry said soothingly. "He knows you're out here thinking about him love. He knows."

"Mummy," Saffron came over to her parents and wrapped her arms around her mother's waist.

"Sweetheart," Hermione said smiling down at her. "I'm so glad you're here."

"I'm glad Daddy came and got me," Saffron said. "Just in case..."

"Come on," Hermione said not wanting to think about the worst case scenario. "How about you sit with me and your dad?"

"We have a long night ahead of us," Harry said.

"I'm kind of tired but I don't want to sleep." Saffron said as Ethan put an arm around his sister.

"Do you remember how much fun we'd have when we used to go over to Gran and Grandpa's house?" Ethan asked his sister. There was that secret stash of chocolate that he hid in the..."

"Secret stash of chocolate?" Elinore asked. "What secret stash of chocolate?"

"Er..." Ethan grinned sheepishly. "It was always a sort of secret between me, Jules, Saffy and Grandpa."

Julie smiled. "The cat's out of the bag now."

"I always wondered where all that chocolate disappeared to," Elinore shook her head.

"And he always made the best milkshakes," Julie said fondly. "Old movies and chocolate milkshakes...those were the best with Grandpa."

"He loves spending time with you kids," Elinore said wistfully.

"I remember he was the first man I ever danced with," Hermione said softly. "I used to stand on his feet and he moved around with me."

"So I wasn't the first person whose toes you smashed," Harry teased gently.

Hermione hit him on the arm. "No, that honour goes to my dad."

"He did that for me too," Lavender said, wiping her eyes.

"He scared the bloody hell out of me," Harry said shaking his head. "Still does sometimes."

"Especially on the golf course right Daddy?" Saffron asked with a trembly smile.

Harry nodded. "Especially there, Saffy. And I think you like seeing me lose, don't you?"

"It's fun to see your face when you lose," Saffron managed a small giggle.

Harry laughed. "No wonder you and your Grandpa get along so well."

The next few hours were tense for the group- doctors came out periodically to give them updates but none of them really knew if Robert would pull through quite yet. Ethan had been pacing across the waiting room and had finally gone outside for some fresh air.

"Mind if I join you?" Maddie had come out and was standing next to him.

Ethan smiled. "I'm glad you're here, Mads."

She smiled back at him and wrapped her hands around his arm. "How are you holding up?" she asked softly.

"I hate feeling like this," he replied. "I have no control over what's going on, Maddie. I wish there was something I could do, but all I can do is wait and hope for the best. It just doesn't seem like enough."

"I think it's enough that you're here, and your grandfather knows it," Maddie answered. "I keep wishing I could get some sort of vision about his fate but nothing's come to me."

"It's okay," Ethan said squeezing her hand. "I'm worried about my Gran."

Maddie brushed his messy hair out of his eyes. "Saffy seems to be taking good care of her," she said softly.

"That's another thing," Ethan said. "I'm worried about Saffy too. We're all really close to Grandpa, but Saffy's...she's..."

"I know," Maddie said. "It's sort of like how I am with my father, and even with Nana. I know how she feels."

"I don't know how any of us would handle it if something happened to him," Ethan said quietly.

Maddie hugged her boyfriend to her. "It'll be okay," she said soothingly.

"You don't have to stay you know?" he told her. "It's really late and you have to work tomorrow..."

"I know but I want to," Maddie pulled back and rested her hands on the sides of his face. "I want to be here with you Ethan."

Ethan smiled. "I want you to be here with me, Maddie."

"I'm certainly not going anywhere," she gave him a soft smile. "I love you so much. I always want to be here for you."

"I love you too," he said kissing her.

Maddie could tell his kiss was more needing in comfort than passion as she caressed his cheek. "Should we go back in, you think?" she asked when they pulled apart a few moments later.

"Sure," Ethan said nodding.

He was holding her hand tightly as they slowly walked back in a comfortable silence. Everyone inside was still in the same positions they'd left them in and a quick word with Seamus told the young couple that there had been nothing new.

"Julie?" Nick asked his wife. "Sweetie, why don't you try and get some sleep?"

"I can't sleep," Julie pulled the blanket that one of the hospital staff had given her tighter around her shoulders. "Not until I know what's going on Nick."

"Are you hungry?" he asked. "I could go and grab you something out of one of the machines..."

"I'm okay," Julie leaned against him. "Just keep holding me."

"I can do that," Nick said softly.

"We should let Greta know what's going on soon in case one of the girls wakes up and wants to know how Grandpa is," Julie closed her eyes as Nick kissed the side of her head.

""How about I pop home for a few minutes to let her know what's going on and check on the girls," Nick offered.

"Don't stay long," Julie squeezed his hand. "Come back as soon as you can okay?"

"I will," he promised, giving her a quick kiss. "Do you want anything from home?"

Julie shook her head wordlessly.

Nick smiled sympathetically at her. "I'll have Greta ring the school to let them know you won't be in..."

"That would be lovely," Julie managed a slight smile. "Thanks Nick."

Ethan took Nick's empty seat beside his sister. "How you holding up?"

Julie shrugged. "I'm okay I guess. I wish they'd bloody let us know what's going on."

"I've never seen Mum like this," Ethan said motioning over to where Hermione was sitting with Lavender.

"I know," Julie agreed. "But I suppose I'd be the same way if this was Dad and I was in Mum's position."

"I know," Ethan said. "I feel like I've sort of taken it for granted that they're always going to be here. It takes something like this to put everything into perspective, doesn't it?"

"Just a bit, yeah," Julie nodded. "I'm still scared though Ethan."

Ethan hugged his sister. "Me too, Jules."

"I'm glad Saffy's asleep," Julie said. "She was more upset than the two of us put together."

Ethan looked over at his baby sister who was sleeping on the sofa with her head in her grandmother's lap. Elinore was running her hand through Saffron's curls looking listlessly ahead.

"I know," Ethan said.

"She's not going to want to go back to school until we find out Grandpa will be okay." Julie added quietly.

"He will be okay," Ethan said stubbornly. "He has to be."

Julie nodded slowly. "He has to be," she echoed.

At around eight in the morning, nearly everyone had fallen asleep despite their best efforts not to. Dr. Stephens entered the waiting room looking completely knackered himself. Hermione looked up from the magazine she hadn't really been reading to see the doctor.

Her eyes widened as she shakily got to her feet. "Is he... is my father..."

37. Chapter 37

A/N: Wow a lot of you really didn’t like that cliffhanger- you’ll find out about Robert in this chapter though. There’s also a bit of drama ahead for Harry and Lavender- but we won’t spoil that for you. As always, please let us know what you think by leaving a review- we do read every review we get and we try to reply to most of them!

"The surgery went as well can be expected," Dr. Stephens said. "There were some complications, but he made it through."

"What sort of complications?" Hermione spoke around the lump in her throat. "Will he be all right?"

"It's too soon to tell," the doctor told her. "The next few hours will be critical, Mrs. Potter."

"Well what can I tell everyone?" Hermione asked, her voice rising in a bit of hysteria. "We need to know something here!"

"Tell them your father made it through the surgery," Dr. Stephens said gently. "We'll know more once he wakes up, Mrs. Potter. I'm sorry that I can't tell you more than that."

Hermione nodded in defeat. "Thank you doctor," she said and he nodded and walked away.

Elinore jerked awake as soon as she felt Hermione's hand on her shoulder. "What? What is it? Robert?"

"He made it through the surgery Mum," Hermione said softly. "He's not awake yet though. They said the next few hours would be critical."

"Thank God," she said with a slight smile. "At least he made it through the surgery, Hermione."

"That's a good sign Mum," Hermione said as encouragingly as possible.

"Mum?" Saffron said sleepily. "What is it?"

"Your grandfather made it through surgery," Hermione repeated.

"He did?" Saffron asked excitedly suddenly very awake. "This is great! Let's go see him!"

"He's not awake love," Hermione ran her hand through her daughter's hair.

"Oh," Saffron said her smile faltering a bit. "That's okay though. He made it."

"He's in critical condition, so until he wakes up we won't know exactly how he's doing," Elinore said.

"He's going to be fine, Gran," Saffron said softly. "He's not ready to leave us yet."

"No he's not love," Elinore said, smiling at her granddaughter.

"I'm going to tell Ethan and Maddie," Saffron said getting to her feet.

"Okay sweetheart," Hermione said, watching her go over to her son.

Hermione excused herself to get some fresh air. It was bad enough to wait all night for some news about her father's condition just to find out that she had to wait even longer to find out how he really was.

She stood just outside the doors breathing in the early morning air- freshened a bit by a little rain. "Please," she prayed softly. "He has to be all right."

*** *** ***

It was later that morning and there was still no change in Robert's condition. He was still in critical condition, but was in a private room. Dr. Stephens advised that no more than two visitors were allowed in the room at a time.

Elinore had gone in first by herself and then allowed Lavender and Hermione and then Julie and Ethan to visit. After a valiant protest, Hermione finally agreed to go down to the cafeteria to get some food. Elinore promised to get them if there was any change.

Elinore was sitting at her husband's bedside when she saw Saffron standing in the doorway.

"I thought you went to get something to eat," Elinore said softly.

"I didn't want to leave Grandpa," Saffron replied. "Is it okay if I sit with you?"

"Sure," Elinore said smiling at her. "Come here."

Saffron pulled a chair over next to her grandmother's and sat down. "I wish he'd wake up," she said wistfully.

"Me too sweetheart," Elinore said looking at Robert who was hooked up to several different machines. "You could try talking to him, you know?" When Saffron stared blankly at her, Elinore patted her arm. "I know it sounds crazy, but I think he'll be able to hear you, Saffron.”

Saffron shrugged. "I don't know," she said doubtfully.

Elinore smiled. "Try telling him about school or about some memories you have about your Grandpa. Your mum and aunt did it. And Julie and Ethan, too."

Saffron felt a bit silly but she leaned forward. "Hey Grandpa- I really hope you wake up soon. Next year I'm going to try out for the Quidditch team at school and I want you to come to my matches." she said.

"He always did like watching you fly," Elinore said softly. "Unlike your mum."

Saffron smiled. "Mum's a total scaredy cat when Dad tries to get her on a broom," she said.

"She's always hated flying," Elinore laughed. She too leaned forward. "Robert, do you remember that time when she was about six years old and we were going to take her to the States? We had to spend nearly three hours convincing her that the plane wasn't going to crash. And then she refused to sit anywhere near the window..."

Saffron laughed. "She was that freaked out?"

"She was," Elinore said laughing too. "Robert finally got her on the plane by saying he'd buy her any book she wanted as soon as we landed."

"That's my mum," Saffron shook her head. "Lured everywhere by the promise of a book."

Neither of them noticed Robert's eyes blink open. He turned his head slightly and in a very hoarse voice said, "Y-you're t-the same, Saffy."

"Grandpa!" Saffron gasped. "Grandpa you're awake!" she almost flung herself on top of him but stopped herself just in time.

"Robert!" Elinore exclaimed. "Oh!"

"Ellie," he whispered.

"Grandpa we've all been waiting for you all night long," Saffron began talking fast. "Everyone's in the cafeteria getting something to eat and they're all going to be so happy that you're awake and--"

Robert laughed, but the action caused his chest to hurt and he winced in pain. When he saw the guilty look on his granddaughter's face, he weakly reached up and touched her hand. "It's...its okay. You're...a sight for sore eyes."

"I don't want you to get hurt again," she said in a trembly voice.

"My sweet Saffron," he said smiling at her. "Don't you think on that."

"Saffron, sweetheart why don't you stay with your grandpa while I go find a doctor?" Elinore wiped at her eyes.

"Okay Gran," Saffron said. When she and her grandfather were alone, she took his hand. "I looked out for her just like you asked, Grandpa."

"Thank you love," Robert said with a smile. "I knew you were the best person for the job."

Saffron beamed at him. "I wasn't about to let you down."

"You never have," Robert said.

"How are you feeling?" Saffron asked.

"All right," Robert said. "Bit stronger than I did before the surgery."

"Really?" Saffron asked. "You're not in any pain...?"

But Robert didn't get the chance to answer her as Dr. Stephens and Elinore came back into the room. The doctor wanted to examine Robert and Elinore suggested Saffron go downstairs to share the good news with the family.

Saffron nearly sprinted toward the lifts and was practically jumping up and down as she waited for the lift to ping open. She couldn't wait to share this news with her family.

She rode down to the cafeteria, hopping from one foot to the other and then dashed down the corridor. "He's awake!" she announced in a loud voice to everyone. "Mum, Dad, Ethan, Julie- Grandpa's awake!"

"What?" Hermione asked running over to her daughter. "He is? When?"

"Just a few minutes ago," Saffron tugged on her mother's hand. "The doctor's with him right now but come on!"

Hermione smiled, but knew she shouldn't get her hopes up just yet. She wasn't about to breathe a sigh of relief until the doctor told her that her father was going to be fine. Nevertheless, Saffron's enthusiasm was contagious. "Lead the way baby."

"Come ON everyone!" Saffron pulled harder on Hermione's hand. "You're all a bunch of slowpokes!"

"Where does your little sister get her energy from?" Nick asked Julie with a laugh.

"She's fourteen," Julie replied dryly, feeling awakened and cheered by the news of her grandfather. "I think I was the same way at one point."

"She should bottle it whatever it is," Nick joked.

Everyone made their way toward the lift and squeezed in tight. Saffron was talking excitedly the entire time about the moment Robert had woken up.

Harry grinned. "Saffy maybe you should transfer some of this energy over to Robert." he said.

"We should all have some of it," Lavender said with a yawn. "I feel as if I haven't slept in three weeks."

"You haven't," Seamus pointed out. "Not since you started working for me designing those costumes for my film."

"Yes my little tyrant," Lavender said squeezing his cheek. "I cannot wait to see Uncle Robert!"

Ethan smiled at his little sister. "Looks like you worked your magic again, eh?"

Saffron smiled proudly. "That's right," she said with a grin as Ethan mussed up her hair with one hand, his other holding Maddie's fingers tightly.

A few minutes later they were all huddled in the waiting room waiting for the doctor to come out and give them the news. Hermione had gone back to her father's room as soon as they'd made it back upstairs. Everyone was getting antsy waiting.

Saffron plopped down on her father's lap. "This is the best, isn't it?" she asked giving him a hug.

Harry hugged her. "It certainly is sweetheart."

"You'll need to owl Professor McGonagall," Saffron said excitedly. "To tell her I won't be coming back to school..."

"What do you mean?" Harry asked. "Of course you're going back to school Saffy. You can stay home tomorrow but the day after you're going back."

"Daddy, don't be ridiculous," Saffron said with a laugh. "I have to stay here and help Grandpa with his recovery. I'm not going back to school...perhaps I can do some sort of correspondence..."

"That's silly," Harry said. "Your grandfather wouldn't want you to stay out of school."

"My grandfather needs me," she said stubbornly. "And I'm not going anywhere until he's all better."

"Saffron Grace you're going back to school day after tomorrow," Harry said, his tone leaving no room for argument.

Saffron decided to drop the argument for now, but what her father didn't know was that she was going to take this up with her mother. She had no doubt that her mother would see things her way.

She stood up and walked over to where Lavender and Seamus were sitting.

"She's not going to let this go," Ethan told his father. "You realise that right?"

"She never lets anything go," Harry replied. "But Hermione's certainly not going to go for that- you know how your mum is about school."

"I know," Ethan said. "But don't be so hard on Saf, Dad. She just doesn't want to leave Grandpa. Maybe once she hears the prognosis, she'll back down."

"I'm sure she will," Harry said. He leaned in and lowered his voice so Julie and Nick wouldn't hear. "She's still giving me a hard time over the Greta situation."

Ethan nodded, but didn't let on that he already knew that. In fact, in her last letter to him, Saffron had complained about how unreasonable their father was being about all this.

"I think it's because she's afraid she won't survive on Mum's cooking," Ethan joked. "If it wasn't for you, the poor girl would probably go hungry when she's home..."

Harry punched Ethan's shoulder. "I wouldn't survive on your mum's cooking either, except when she makes that lasagne."

Ethan laughed. "You and Mum must spend a fortune on takeaways."

"Hey I cook plenty," Harry pretended to be injured. "I haven't lost my touch in the kitchen."

"Why didn't you cook last night then?" Ethan asked referring to their interrupted meal.

"Because your mum wanted to make you lasagne as a special treat," Harry replied. "She wanted to make a fuss over you."

"I'm all for that," Ethan said with a grin.

Hermione walked into the waiting room with a big smile on her face. Everyone stopped chatting to look at her.

"Dr. Stephens says that he seems to be doing quite well," Hermione related to them. "He's going to need lots of rest, of course, but Dr. Stephens seems to think he's going to be okay."

"That's fantastic," Harry was first to say. "That's the best news we could have hoped for."

"Can we see him?" Ethan asked.

Hermione nodded. "If you want to go on back, Ethan you can. He was asking to see you."

"Thanks Mum," Ethan squeezed Maddie's hand and pecked his mother on the cheek. "I won't take long."

"Did you want to go home and freshen up?" Harry asked his wife.

"Maybe soon," Hermione said, taking the seat next to Maddie.

Saffron walked over to her mother. "Mum? Can I ask you something?"

"Sure sweetheart," Hermione said with a smile.

"Well," Saffron began. "I was thinking that I'd like to do anything I can to help Grandpa out."

"I'm sure he'd love that," Hermione said agreeably. "If you send me owls I'll be sure and pass the letters along to him. And when you come home for holidays you can spend as much time as you like with your grandparents."

Saffron frowned. "That's just it, Mum. I'm--I'm not going back to school."

Hermione's brow creased. "What on earth are you talking about Saffron Grace?"

"I'm going to stay here and help Grandpa with his recovery of course," Saffron said simply. "I know Professor McGonagall would let me take lessons by correspondence..."

Harry caught the tail end of what his daughter had said and couldn't believe she'd gone behind his back.

"Saffron you are most certainly NOT staying home from school," Hermione began.

"It's the best solution," Saffron argued. "Grandpa is going to need all the help he can get. You're too busy running the Ministry and Dad is busy with his job. Grandma can't do it on her own. It's really the best solution, Mum."

"They'll have a nurse that will come around every day to help out." Harry joined them. "Saffron you know your grandfather wouldn't like that you were missing school."

"A nurse doesn't know him like I do," Saffron said not deterred in the slightest. "And she wouldn't care about him like I do. I make him laugh and he depends on me. Gran thought it would be a great idea."

"Oh she did, did she?" Hermione remarked in a tone that said she didn't believe a word coming out of her daughter's mouth. "Shall we go in there now and run this by her?"

"Fine," Saffron said angrily. "And we'll run it past Grandpa too. You'll see."

Harry and Hermione exchanged looks. "Saffron Grace," Harry began. "You are not going in there to antagonize your grandfather. He just got out of a very, VERY complicated surgery."

This seemed to calm Saffron down somewhat. The last thing she wanted to do was cause undo stress on her ill grandfather.

"You will be going back to school," Hermione continued. "I don't want to hear any more about this. Is that clear?"

Saffron folded her arms and nodded wordlessly at her mother. She wasn't going to give up on this though. She had at the very least two days to get her parents around to her way of thinking.

"Dad," Julie said helpfully. "How about Nick and I take Saffy home with us? She can freshen up and then we'll bring her back later..."

"That sounds like a good idea," Harry gave Saffron a stormy look. "And don't let her recruit you to her side. She's going back to school whether she likes it or not."

Saffron glared at him. Julie quickly put an arm around her little sister.

"Come on Saffy," she said gently. "Let's get you home."

"Fine," Saffron said. "But I'm not leaving until I get to say goodbye to Grandpa."

"We'll see him this afternoon," Julie told her. "I promise." When this didn't seem to appease Saffron, Julie brought out something she had a feeling might. "You'll get to see Greta..."

"All right," Saffron conceded. "For now," she glared at her parents again.

Hermione shook her head as she watched her two daughters walk away with Nick.

"I so didn't need to deal with this now," Hermione said leaning back on the sofa and closing her eyes.

"I know," Harry sighed. "She certainly got both our stubborn streaks built into one."

Lavender, who had been watching this little exchange, plopped down beside her cousin. "If you don't mind me saying, I think it would be a fabulous idea to have her help out."

Hermione gave her cousin a disbelieving look. "She cannot miss school to help out Dad," she said.

"She can take correspondence classes," Lavender said. "You heard her. And I think having all of us around would do him a world of good. I'm thinking of moving back here..."

"What?" Seamus asked. "When did you decide this?"

"This morning," Lavender said.

"No, no, absolutely not, and I won't have you filling her head with your ideas," Harry said furiously.

"Excuse me, but I don't believe YOU are the boss of ME," Lavender retorted. "If I want to move back here, I bloody well will!"

"I wasn't talking about you," Harry snapped. "I don't care if you move back here but you won't be telling Saffron it's okay that she stays here."

"You know you really are a piece of work," Lavender said angrily. "All you can think about is yourself and you're completely forgetting about what is important here---my uncle's health. And I think Saffron should stay, but if you want to be selfish..."

"Lavender," Seamus said, putting a hand on her arm.

"You're not her bloody mother," Harry was near shouting.

"You saw how upset your little girl was after nearly losing her grandfather," Lavender said trying to stay calm, but finding it extremely difficult. "And now you want to pack her off to school when she needs to be reassured. That's very cruel, Harry. Very, very cruel."

"You need to shut the hell up," Harry was fuming, his face bright red in anger. "You have no idea what it's like to be a parent. She's been reassured all night long. We pulled her out for today and tomorrow so she could stick around and visit. But she will absolutely not be missing school- she's fourteen years old."

"ENOUGH!" Hermione exclaimed. Both Harry and Lavender stared at her. "This is neither the time nor the place to get into this now. We're all knackered and on edge from a long night."

"You can say that again," Harry muttered.

"Lavender, I appreciate your concern, but this isn't your decision to make," Hermione said quietly. "Saffron is our daughter."

Lavender huffed and folded her arms over her chest.

"She's right Lav," Seamus said. "We can't make parenting decisions for them."

"And I know you're feeling guilty for not being around as much," Hermione said gently. "Which is why you're probably so passionate about all of this, but you have no reason to feel guilty. Dad didn't expect you to live here forever. He's so proud of you and what you've done for yourself here and in the States. You know that."

"Yeah I know," Lavender replied, still annoyed at Harry. "But I feel like I could have done more."

"Which is probably how our daughter is feeling right now," Hermione said. "Look, Lav, there wasn't anything anyone could have done. Dad would have had that heart attack even if you had been here."

"But if it happens again, I'll be closer and I can help," Lavender insisted.

Seamus put an arm around his wife. "Sweetheart, we don't have to move. And you are forgetting that you are a witch. You can floo over anytime you want. You do that now. There's no reason to uproot what we have in America..."

"Fine," Lavender pushed her husband away and stalked from the waiting room.

Hermione sat down again with a sigh. "I'm sorry you had to see that Maddie." she said to the young woman who had remained silent through the exchange.

"I should have given you some privacy," Maddie said apologetically.

"No it's all right, my husband and cousin did enough shouting to alert the whole hospital," Hermione said.

"It's not been easy on any of you," Maddie said softly.

"No it hasn't," Hermione put an arm around her. "But I appreciate you being here for Ethan. He'd never admit it to anyone but he needs someone to lean on when things are rough."

Maddie smiled. "I wouldn't have been anywhere else. I think of all of you as my own family."

"That's how we think of you too," Hermione replied. "You're a sweet girl Madeline."

"Thanks Hermione," Maddie said. "And I'm really happy that Dr. Granger is going to be okay."

"So are we sweetheart," Hermione agreed.

*** *** ***

Allison couldn't remember a day where she'd ever been this tired. Emma had a touch of colic and had been crying for a good deal of the night as well as all morning long, and Caroline had also been hit with the flu. Jon had been away every day that week except today with extra flying lessons and Allison was nearly ready to let him handle their daughters for a few hours so she could go regain her senses.

"Jon have you seen the tea?" she called out to her husband. "I was going to make Caroline some with honey for her throat!"

"We're out, aren't we?" he asked her coming into the kitchen with Emma, who was still crying her little lungs out.

"I just bloody bought some!" Allison snapped, slamming the cabinet door shut.

"Al," Jon said wincing as Emma let out an ear-piercing cry in his ear. "Sweetheart, just sit down. I'll see if I can find it." He had no idea how he was going to do that and hold the baby as well, but he knew Allison was at her wit's end.

"Here I'll take her," Allison rubbed her eyes wearily before taking Emma. "I'm sorry I yelled at you."

"It's okay," he said squeezing her shoulder. "You're knackered. I'm willing to take the abuse."

Allison gave him a little smile as she tried to soothe her daughter. "Come on baby, you don't want to deafen Mummy," she cooed.

Jon set about looking in the cabinets for the tea and sure enough found some hiding behind a couple of boxes of cereal.

"Mummy?" Caroline said coming into the kitchen rubbing her eyes. "My throat really hurts."

"Caroline, love you have to stay in bed and rest," Allison said. "Daddy's making you some tea with honey and lemon okay?"

"I can't rest with Emma crying," Caroline complained.

"I know but she can't help it baby," Jon said, putting the kettle on the stove.

Caroline nodded, but wasn't entirely convinced her baby sister wasn't doing this on purpose. With a sigh, she went into the sitting room and curled up on the sofa.

"Al?" Jon asked. "Once we get the baby settled, you should get some sleep. I can handle Caroline on my own."

"Yes but I don't think she's going to settle," Allison complained, bouncing Emma gently to try and calm her.

"How about we put her in the bouncy seat?" Jon asked. "She seems to like it and it would be worth a try."

Allison shrugged. "At this point I'm ready to try anything."

"You watch the kettle," Jon said coming over and taking Emma from her. "And Daddy will put the little bugger in her bouncy seat."

Allison surrendered the still crying baby to her husband and rubbed her temples, trying to ward off the splitting headache that was beginning to make her head throb.

"Okay Ems," Jon said placing the baby in the seat. He made sure to secure the strap and pushed gently on the seat to start the bouncing motion. He made a completely goofy face at the baby and to his delight, she did stop crying. "Haha! That's my girl!"

Allison breathed a sigh of relief as Emma's cries subsided. "You're a miracle worker Jon," she said, leaning against the counter.

Jon walked over to his wife and gave her a hug. "It's going to be okay, Al."

"I'm just so knackered," she sighed into his shoulder. "I wasn't ever this tired even when I was pregnant."

"I know," Jon said pulling her closer. "We thought we had our hands full with Caroline. Couple that with a baby...it hasn't been an easy time for any of us."

"No, and I feel just awful complaining when poor Aunt Hermione has her father in the hospital for that heart attack," Allison didn't open her eyes. "I mean, things could be a lot worse for us."

"We'll get through this," he told her softly. "And maybe we can go away just the two of us for your birthday slash anniversary."

"That sounds absolutely fantastic," Allison finally managed a real smile.

"I'll see about sorting something out," Jon promised giving her a quick kiss. "And surprise you."

"Okay," Allison said as the kettle whistled and Emma began to cry again simultaneously.

"Perfect timing," Jon joked as he pulled the kettle off the stove. Allison was about to get the baby when the doorbell rang. With a groan, she rushed to answer it. The baby's cries grew louder and louder and Caroline tossed and turned on the sofa wishing that Emma would just shut up for a few minutes.

"Who is it Al?" Jon's voice came from the kitchen.

"It's Mr. Reynolds from next door," Allison called out. "He wants to talk to you, Jon."

Jon came out of the kitchen with a bottle of honey in one hand and Caroline's tea in the other. "Hi Mr. Reynolds," he said.

"Sorry to bother you so early," their neighbour said apologetically. "I was wondering if I might borrow a broom. My nephew is coming over..."

"Oh sure," Jon said. "I'll bring one over in just a bit- my daughter's sick with the flu and I'm just trying to make her some tea."

"Muggle or Wizarding?" Mr. Reynolds asked sympathetically.

"Muggle," Jon said. "It doesn't help that the baby has a touch of colic either."

"Ah," he nodded. "I'm sorry to hear that..."

From her perch on the sofa, Caroline groaned as Emma continued to cry. Not being able to take it anymore, she summoned all the strength she could muster before walking into the kitchen. She looked at her baby sister whose face was red from crying and yelled "SHUT UP! JUST SHUT UP!"

"Caroline!" Jon said, completely shocked. "I'm sorry Mr. Reynolds- I'll bring that broom over just as soon as I can."

"Of course," Mr. Reynolds said. "Take your time--" but Jon had already closed the door.

"Caroline Weasley," he said sternly. "I know you're sick but you do NOT yell at your baby sister like that!"

Allison lifted Emma out of her seat to try and calm her.

"She wouldn't shut up," Caroline said angrily. "And I don't feel good!"

"We know you don't," Jon said in a calmer tone. "And your throat isn't going to be any better if you shout like that."

"I'm sorry Daddy," Caroline said softly as she too started to cry.

Jon sighed and set the cup of tea down on the counter. "Come here baby," he said, gathering his four year old in his arms. "Daddy's not that angry."

"But we don't like hearing you say things like shut up," Allison said quietly. "It's not nice sweetheart."

"I know," Caroline said burying her face in her father's shoulder. "I didn't mean to yell at Emma."

"I think we all feel a bit like yelling," Jon patted her back. "Come on, let me make you some tea and then Mummy will take you in your room and read you a story all right?"

"And we can both take a nice long kip," Allison said to her oldest. "Just you and me. We'll let Daddy take care of your sister."

"Okay Mummy," Caroline raised her tearstained face from Jon's shoulder. "I like the way Daddy makes tea. He puts in lots of honey and lemon for me."

"He does make the best tea," Allison agreed. She turned her full attention back to Emma who also seemed to be calming down. "I think this one might just be crying herself to sleep."

"Good," Caroline slid down from Jon's lap. "About time too right Mummy?"

"Truer words were never spoken," Allison said with a grin.

"Let's switch here," Jon finished squeezing honey into his daughter's tea. "I'll take Emma and you two can go have a kip."

Allison handed the baby off to Jon and then picked up Caroline's tea cup. "Come on sweetheart. Let's go lie down."

"Okay," Caroline took her mother's hand and followed her out of the kitchen.

Jon looked down at Emma who yawned. "Aye, Ems. Now you know how your mummy and daddy feel."

Emma let out a little choked sob as Jon patted her tiny back.

"Awwww," Jon said walking slowly over to the sofa and lying down with the baby. "How about you and I get some shut-eye too? You know you want to take a kip with Daddy, right?"

Emma let out a little sniffle as she laid her head on Jon's chest. The repeated yet light pats he was giving her on her back must have been soothing for she finally fell asleep a few minutes later.

In Caroline's bedroom, the little four year old handed her now empty cup of tea to Allison who put it on the bedside table. Caroline curled up close to her mother and closed her eyes.

"I really am sorry Mummy," Caroline said softly. "Won't do it again...promise."

"It's all right baby," Allison kissed the top of her daughter's head. "We're all a bit frustrated today."

"And sleepy," Caroline said with a yawn. "Very, very..."

Her last words were cut off as her eyes slid shut again and a moment later her breathing was steady. Allison listened to her for a moment and then found her eyes closing as well.

*** *** ***

Lavender couldn't remember the last time she'd been this angry. Harry was being completely unreasonable. What was worse he even had Seamus on his bloody side. The entire way back to their flat (the one they still kept in London) she and Seamus had argued. He'd told her in no uncertain terms that she shouldn't have interfered and she'd argued that Saffron was her niece and as such she had every right to voice her opinion.

Their row had ended with Seamus stalking off to the bedroom to take a kip while Lavender stewed in the sitting room. This was so bloody unfair, she thought. Uncle Robert had nearly died. And everyone who had a brain knew that having his family around him now would be the best medicine. But, as always, Harry was only thinking of himself.

Lavender couldn't just sit here and wait. She knew that Saffron needed to talk to someone who was on her side. She certainly wasn't going to get that from her parents. Lavender quickly scribbled a note to Seamus, grabbed her bag and Apparated over to Julie and Nick's cottage.

Saffron was currently pouting in the bedroom next to Ashley's and trying to figure out a way to convince her parents to let her stay home to help her grandfather. Julie was apparently on her parents' side as she'd told her that Robert would get the attention he needed from the nurses and that she'd be happy to send her weekly, even daily reports on how he was doing. But it wasn't the same. Not at all.

She heard the doorbell chime downstairs and figured it was probably her mother or father. A few moments later she heard a gentle knocking on the bedroom door.

"Saffy?" Lavender asked. "It's Aunt Lav, sweetheart."

"Aunt Lav!" Saffron jumped off the bed. "What are you doing here?"

Lavender gave her a hug. "I wanted to make sure you were doing okay. "

"I'm okay," Saffron said. "I wish my parents weren't so bloody stubborn that's all."

Lavender nodded and sat down on the edge of the bed. "You and I are so much alike, Saffron. We know that family is the most important thing. It's a shame that it takes things like this to make you see that, but it's the truth. Uncle Robert is going to need all of us."

Saffron could hardly believe her ears. "You mean you think I should stay too?"

"Of course I do," Lavender said smiling at her. "I'm sure Hogwarts would let you take your lessons from home. I bet Julie would even be willing to help."

"I think they would too!" Saffron said eagerly.

"We could have so much fun with Uncle Robert," Lavender said. "We'd be able to sit with him on the porch and when he's able, we could go on walks around the neighbourhood. And you know they always say laughter is the best medicine. Well, no one can make Uncle Robert laugh as much as you."

"I know," Saffron agreed. "He says I'm his little girl. He likes it when I go golfing with him too."

"When we go back this afternoon, we can tell him all about it," Lavender said putting her arm around Saffron. "He'll be so happy, Saffy."

"I bet he will," Saffron was excited that her aunt wanted her to stay. "But we'll have to make my parents see that this is for the best."

Lavender nodded. She knew it wasn't going to be easy, but she had a feeling that their best ally would be Hermione.

The doorbell chimed again downstairs and Ashley bounded downstairs to open it. "Grandpa!" she exclaimed. "What are you doing here?"

"Hi sweetheart," Harry said with a tired smile. "I'm here to see your Aunt Saffron."

"She's upstairs," Ashley said. "I'll just go and let Mummy know you're here."

"Thank you love," Harry tweaked his granddaughter's nose as she dashed upstairs.

Neither Lavender nor Hermione heard the doorbell or even heard Harry walking up the stairs. They were too busy coming up with plans not only for convincing Saffron's parents but the many things they'd do when Robert was able to come home.

"I'm so glad that you're on my side," Saffron told Lavender.

Lavender beamed at her. "I'm always on your side. You know sometimes I think you and I are the only ones who know what's really important."

"What's going on here?" Harry asked from the doorway. He didn't look especially pleased to see Lavender there sitting next to his daughter.

"Hi Daddy," Saffron said turning around in surprise. "What are you doing here? Something hasn't happened with Grandpa, has it?"

"Your grandfather is fine," Harry said. "I came to take you back home so your mother and I could spend some time with you before we go back to the hospital."

"Oh okay," Saffron said relieved that there wasn't anymore bad news. "The sooner we can get back to the hospital the better."

Saffron gave Lavender a hug. "Thank you so much Aunt Lav. I really appreciate it."

"You're quite welcome Saffy," Lavender said. "We'll talk more about our 'plan' tonight."

"What plan?" Harry asked suspiciously.

Lavender and Saffron exchanged a look. "Nothing, Dad. I'm going to just go and grab a sweatshirt from Julie."

Harry stared at Lavender as his daughter left the room. "What the hell is going on here?" he asked.

Lavender sighed. "Nothing, Harry. I just stopped by to check on Saffron."

Harry blocked the doorway. "I'm not stupid Lavender," he said coolly. "Don't talk to me like I am."

Lavender rolled her eyes. "Here we go again...you know you are not the only one who cares about Saffron. I happen to love your children just as I would my own."

"And you know Hermione and I appreciate that," Harry said evenly. "But why do I seem to get the impression that you're feeding her with tales about staying home from Hogwarts?"

"It's what she wants Harry," Lavender said deciding to go with the upfront approach.

"But it's not the right decision for her, and it's not up to you to make it," Harry tried to stay calm this time.

"How do you know it's not the best decision for her?" Lavender argued. "You know how close she is to Uncle Robert. We nearly lost him, Harry. "

"I know that," Harry felt his temper rising. "But she's a fourteen year old girl. She needs to be in school, not playing a nurse. She needs to be put in social situations and to learn directly from her professors, not through a correspondence. Besides, I'm not about to beg for special treatment for her- that's not the lessons Hermione and I want her to learn."

"Oh for Merlin's sake!" Lavender said with a laugh. "Don't you think you're overreacting? It's not like she wants to drop out of school. She wants to spend the next couple of months with her grandfather!"

"She'll be able to spend all of Christmas holiday with him," Harry narrowed his eyes. "She can spend all of Easter holiday and if she wants, she can stay with him some of the time she's home next summer."

"But I want to stay now," Saffron said coming back into the room. She walked over to stand beside Lavender. "I'll go back after the Christmas holiday. People do it all the time, Dad. Stephanie Talbot in Hufflepuff did it when her sister was sick in hospital."

"I don't care," Harry replied. "If it was Ethan or Julie then the situation would be different and your mother and I might be more inclined to say yes. But you need to be in school. End of discussion."

"But Dad--" Saffron started to protest.

"It's okay Saffron," Lavender said. "We'll just talk to your mum. She'll see things OUR way."

Harry still blocked the door. "Lavender," he said through clenched teeth. "You are NOT the parent here. Hermione and I both think it's best she returns to school and we don't want you putting ideas in her head. Stay the hell OUT OF THIS!"

"You have some nerve speaking for Hermione when she's not even here!" Lavender spat at him.

Julie came up behind her father. "What on earth is going on?"

"Your aunt seems to think she can make Saffron's life decisions," Harry spat.

"That's because she's the only one who will listen to me!" Saffron exclaimed. "Julie, come on. Tell Dad he's being completely unreasonable about this!"

"Saffy," Julie said softly. "I think the best thing is for you to be back at school as well."

"Ugh!" Saffron cried out in frustration.

"Julie," Lavender said. "Imagine how you would feel if you were still in school...wouldn't you feel differently?"

Julie looked a bit put out at being thrust in the middle of things and she shrugged. "I really don't know Aunt Lav. I'd probably think about if I was really needed. I think with all of us around, Grandpa will have all the family he needs at the moment as well as the nurse that he and Grandma will hire to care for him."

"You have your own family to look after," Lavender reasoned. "And Ethan is still in training. And we all know Super Auror over here is going to be off saving the world..."

"Lavender, will you get out of here? This family discussion doesn't concern you in the slightest," Harry was fully pissed off now.

"In case you've forgotten I AM part of this family," Lavender hissed at him.

"Dad," Julie said putting a hand on his arm. "I think we should all just---"

"Like I've said about ten fucking times," Harry's green eyes were dark with fury. "You are NOT a parent here. You make no decisions about my daughter's future do you understand me?"

Lavender was positively seething. "You just wait until Hermione hears about this!"

"We've already talked about it!" Harry snapped.

Saffron was in tears by now and Lavender turned around and knelt before her. She didn't want to upset Saffron. "Don't cry, sweetheart. It will all work out. I promise."

"Saffy we're leaving," Harry said. "Come on."

Saffron gave Lavender a hug. "I'm sorry Aunt Lav."

"It's okay," Lavender said forcing a smile. "I'll see you back at the hospital, okay?"

Saffron wiped at her eyes and nodded, then glared at her father as she marched past him.

"I hope you're happy Harry," Lavender said sarcastically.

"It would be fine if you hadn't interfered," Harry snapped back.

"It'd be fine if when you said jump we all said 'how high?'," Lavender shot back. Before Harry could answer her, she breezed past him and down the stairs.

"Go to hell Lavender!" Harry shouted after her. "Go back to California and stop bothering us all the bloody time!"

"Dad!" Julie exclaimed. She couldn't remember the last time she'd seen him that angry.

"She's a pain in the arse Julie," Harry said testily. "She's always interfering where she's not needed. She's got your sister believing she can stay home."

"Her heart is in the right place Dad," Julie said diplomatically. "And you do realise that Saffy heard everything you just said..."

"I know she heard me," Harry lowered his voice. "But she's been scheming all day to figure out how to convince her mother and me to let her stay home. We're not changing our minds and she's got to realise she can't always get her way."

"Maybe," Julie said thoughtfully. "Instead of arguing with Saffron, you could reassure her that everything's going to be okay. Tell her about how Gran and all of us are going to be here for Grandpa. Tell her that Grandpa would want her to----Dad, I know you've done that, but you need to understand where Saffy's coming from."

"I do," Harry said. "And if this was you, or Hermione or Ethan then I'd be more than willing to arrange a correspondence so she could stay home and still do her schoolwork."

"You and Mum should have a long talk with Saffy," Julie said quietly.

"We will before we go back to the hospital," Harry said.

"I hate to see you and Aunt Lavender at each other's throats," Julie said giving her father a hug.

"She doesn't make it easy to get along with her Jules," Harry answered. "Especially when she tries to go behind our backs."

"That wasn't the best way to go about it," Julie admitted. "But you know I think this has more to do with her feeling guilty about not being here herself. She found sort of a kindred spirit with Saffron. It was out of line, I'll give you that, but just try and remember that Grandpa is very important to Aunt Lav. She thinks of him as her father."

"I know she does," Harry said. "I'm going to get Saffy home and hopefully Hermione can reason with her."

"Good luck Dad," Julie said pecking him on the cheek. "We'll see you later at the hospital, alright?'

"We'll be there," Harry gave his daughter a squeeze.

Saffron was sitting on the sofa waiting for her father to come downstairs. She wiped at her tears as she heard his footsteps.

"Come on Saffy," Harry said, forcing his voice to remain calm. "Your mum's waiting for us."

Saffron stood up and didn't say a word.

Harry sighed- it had been a long night and day so far and he didn't need this added aggravation from his daughter. "Let's go," he repeated.

"Okay," she said quietly.

Harry tossed some Floo Powder into the fireplace. "You first sweetheart," he said.

Saffron nodded and did as she was told. A few moments later, she found herself back in the sitting room at home, dusting herself off.

Harry tumbled out after her and was glad to see his wife waiting for them on the sofa.

"What on earth took you so long?" she asked and noticed her daughter's tears. "Why are you crying Saffy?"

"Dad and Aunt Lav had a fight," Saffron sniffed.

"How?" Hermione asked confused. "Was Lavender at Julie's?"

"She was up in the bedroom with Saffron," Harry answered. "Making plans with her for while she stays here, apparently," his words were dripping with ice. "Your cousin has some nerve Hermione."

"You said some horrible things to her too," Saffron pointed out. "All she was trying to do was help me, Dad. You told her to---to go to hell and to leave us alone!"

"Harry did you really say that?" Hermione looked shocked.

Harry exhaled sharply. "Yes, but she got me so crazy, Hermione. I walk into Julie's and find her plotting with Saffy. She's always interfering..."

"I just want to stay and help Grandpa!" Saffron burst out, tears building in her eyes again. "I don't understand why I can't stay here!"

Hermione patted the seat beside her on the sofa and motioned for Saffron to sit down.

"Sweetheart," she began. "I know how much you love your grandfather. But, he's going to be in hospital for at least another week. Your Gran is going to be interviewing nurses and I'm going to be over there every chance I can get to help out."

"He needs me," Saffron said. "He told me so himself! He wants to have me around!"

"Of course he does," Hermione said gently. She hadn't said anything to her father about this, but she knew that the only thing that would change her daughter's mind was hearing it straight from Robert. "Saffron, how about we make a deal?"

"A deal?" Saffron asked hopefully as Harry sat down across from them in an armchair.

"Yes," Hermione answered. "Your grandfather doesn't know about any of this. I haven't spoken to him about it and your Gran doesn't know either. When you go back this afternoon, I want you to ask him what he thinks about you staying out of school. And whatever he says...goes."

Saffron thought about this for a moment. Part of her knew that her grandfather would want her to go back to school but the other part of her hoped against hope that he would tell her he needed her help and support while he recovered and that he'd want her to stay here in London. "Okay," she answered slowly. "But I don't want Dad to ask him. I want to be the one to say something."

"You can go in there all by yourself," Hermione said. "That way no one can influence his decision. Now, I think that sounds fair, don't you?"

Saffron nodded. "Okay Mum," she answered.

"How about you go upstairs and take a nice bath?" Hermione suggested. "It will make you feel better."

"I guess," Saffron shrugged, standing up. "Maybe I'll kip for a little while."

"Okay," Hermione said squeezing her hand.

Saffron didn't look at Harry as she left the room, and both her parents were silent until they heard her shut the bathroom door upstairs. Hermione looked at her husband. "So you told my cousin to go to hell?" she asked, her eyebrow raised.

Harry put his head in his hands. "Yes."

"Why?" she asked.

"She was doing what she did at the hospital," Harry said looking over at Hermione. "Trying to undermine our decisions. I even tried to be calm with her, Hermione. Merlin knows I tried."

"I know it can be hard sometimes," Hermione said. "What did she say?"

Harry explained how he'd arrived at Julie's to hear Lavender plotting with Saffron. "She was going behind our backs, Hermione. And she made me seem like the bad guy..."

Hermione shook her head. "I thought we made it pretty clear where we both stood on the issue," she replied. "I guess I'll have to go say something to her."

"We do agree on this don't we?" Harry asked.

"Yes," Hermione nodded. "Of course I'd love to have her home but I know I won't have the time to make sure Saffy does her homework, especially now that I'll be going over to help out my parents as much as possible, and you'll be busy as well since you're training Ethan."

Harry nodded. "After all that's happened since last night, the last thing I want to do is argue with Saffy or Lavender for that matter, Hermione. I hope you know that."

"I know," Hermione said. "It wasn't an easy night for any of us, and we're all quite on edge today as a result."

"I wish she hadn't heard me say those things to Lavender," Harry said quietly.

"I wish you hadn't said them at all," Hermione said honestly. "But we can't take it back now, so the best we can do is move forward and make the best of the situation at hand."

"And you're right in the middle," Harry said apologetically. "Like you always are with me and her."

"I'm used to it," Hermione said with a rueful smile.

"Let's go upstairs and try to get some sleep," he said standing up and offering her his hand.

"A nice two hour kip will probably do wonders," Hermione let him help her up. "Then we can go visit Dad again."

"Never a dull moment eh?" Harry said putting an arm around her.

"You can certainly say that again," Hermione leaned against him and closed her eyes.

38. Chapter 38

A/N: Thank you so much for your reviews last chapter- just remember that Saffron is a young teenager still at this point, hormonal and a bit moody, but don’t worry, you won’t hear about any scaly monsters coming out of her chest ;)

This chapter is a bit lighter than the last one, so we hope you enjoy it and please don’t forget to leave us a review!

Lavender arrived back at the flat still quite incensed at Harry. He was so selfish about things, always wanting things HIS way. She didn't know how Hermione put up with him sometimes.

"Seamus?" she called out, wondering if her husband was there.

Seamus came out of the bedroom and looked at her. He didn't really need to ask what had happened. The moment he'd read her note, he knew that it wouldn't end in a good way.

"Lav," he said quietly.

"Don't start," she held up her hand. "I'm not in the mood."

"I can't imagine why," Seamus said sarcastically. "What did you hope to accomplish by going over there, Lavender?"

"I wanted to give Saffy some support," She said defensively. "What's so wrong with that? The poor kid needs SOMEONE on her side."

"This wasn't about her," Seamus said. "And you know it. This was about you. You feeling left out. You feeling guilty about not being here when your uncle had his heart attack."

"I do not feel left out," Lavender replied, throwing her bag on the table.

"Oh yes you do," Seamus said his voice a bit calmer. "Lavender, I know you have a special friendship with Saffron. The two of you are very much alike---you care very much about your family and would do anything for them...."

"Exactly," Lavender crossed her arms.

"And as much as you love Saffy," Seamus said. "You're not her mother, Lavender. You had no right to go behind Harry and Hermione's backs like that when you knew full well how they felt about this."

"That isn't the point," Lavender said, her anger starting to rise. "I know how she feels all right?"

"And how are you feeling?" Seamus asked.

Lavender didn't reply for a moment. "We just want to help Uncle Robert recover," she said. "That's all. I don't think that's too much to ask."

"It's not," Seamus reassured her. "But that's not all Lavender. You know it."

"When did you become a bloody psychic?" she grumbled, turning away as he tried to pull her closer.

"I'm not," he said softly. "I just know my wife."

"You think you do," Lavender didn't want to admit he was right.

"No," Seamus said pulling her closer. "I know I do. Lavender, what happened wasn't your fault. You know that, don't you?"

"Of course I know that," Lavender said, blinking back tears as she thought about how close she'd come to losing her beloved uncle.

Seamus tilted her chin up. "And what happened to Robert would have happened even if you'd been here."

Lavender nodded and blinked fast, trying to stave off her tears. "I was so scared," she whispered. "I still am."

"I know," Seamus said hugging her.

Lavender cried on his shoulder. "I guess I was being a bit unreasonable," she sobbed. "But I just don't want her thinking that no one wants her around. I know Uncle Robert is going to tell her to go back to school and she's going to be so hurt."

"That's not the case," Seamus said holding on tightly to his wife. "Saffron knows how important she is to this family, Lavender."

"I hope she does," Lavender wiped her eyes. "I'm sorry Seamus," she said, resting her forehead against his.

"It's not me you have to apologise to," Seamus said.

"I know," Lavender said. "I hope I can talk a bit of sense into Saffy when she finds out she's not going to be able to stay."

"You need to get some sleep," he told her. When she started to protest, he laughed. "Lav, you haven't slept. As soon as you wake up, we'll go and see Robert. Okay? I'll even lie down with you."

"All right," Lavender knew he wouldn't take no for an answer.

"So just out of curiosity," Seamus said as he led her into the bedroom. "How bad was it? I mean, you're still alive, so it couldn't have been that bad, right?"

"Oh, Harry and I exchanged words as we always do. I still think he's a bloody stubborn pain in the arse." Lavender said as she pulled off her shirt and stepped out of her skirt, tossing them on a chair.

"You know I think he feels the same about you," Seamus teased.

That brought a small smile out of her. "I am tired," she confessed, sliding under the cool sheets.

"I knew that," Seamus whispered as he climbed in next to her.

"You just know everything don't you." Lavender snuggled up next to him, putting her head on his shoulder.

"About you?" Seamus asked closing his eyes. "Yeah, I'd like to think I do. But every now and then you surprise me."

"Like how?" Lavender asked, kissing his skin.

"I can't think of anything right now," he said sleepily. "But you just keep me on my toes...all the time."

"That's why I'm the best one for you," Lavender yawned.

"That you are," Seamus whispered. "That you are..."

*** *** ***

Julie sat down on the sofa while she waited for Nick to get home. He'd had to run into the studio to meet with his agent but promised to come back after lunch so they could return to the hospital to see her grandfather.

Katie and Ashley were sitting on the floor playing with their crayons and colouring books.

"Do you think Grandpa Robert will like this picture?" Katie asked holding up the book for Julie to see.

"I'm sure he will," Julie said smiling at her daughter. She hadn't really been paying attention to her daughters. She was too preoccupied wondering how things were going with her baby sister and her parents and with Aunt Lavender.

"What about mine?" Ashley held up a beautifully coloured picture of a butterfly.

"Very pretty Ash," Julie said nodding. "Your Grandpa is going to love that."

Ashley smiled winningly- she was a pretty eight year old with her long blonde hair and Julie's green eyes. "Isn't Daddy coming home soon?" she asked.

"Yes," Julie said nodding. "He should be home any minute and then we'll leave for the hospital."

"I get to give Grandpa my picture first," Katie said, scribbling furiously.

"Who says?" Ashley asked.

"Me," Katie replied, selecting a yellow crayon from the pile.

"I'm the oldest," Ashley said smugly. "You might not even get to visit with Grandpa. Muggle hospitals have different rules. You might be too young."

"I can too visit Grandpa!" Katie glared at her older sister.

"Bet you can't!" Ashley said in a sing-song voice.

Julie sighed. "Girls, please."

"Mummy," Katie looked upset. "I want to see Grandpa!"

"I want to see Grandpa," Ashley mocked.

Julie looked sternly at her oldest daughter. "Ashley..."

"What?" Ashley asked innocently.

"Be nice," Julie said. "Or you can stay behind with Greta while we go to the hospital."

Katie sent her sister a smirk as she returned to her colouring.

"And I'm going to make a picture for Caroline too," Katie said. "Since she's sick too."

Julie smiled. Caroline and Katie had always been close and she hoped that the two girls would become best friends like she and Chiaki had.

Nick chose that moment to tumble into the sitting room where his three girls were sitting. "Hello everyone," he said, dusting himself off.

"Dad!" Ashley said scrambling to her feet. "You won't believe what happened! Aunt Saffy was here and then Aunt Lavender came over and then Grandpa came and he and Aunt Saffy argued and so did Aunt Lav and then Grandpa said some really horrible things to Aunt Lavender..."

"Whoa," Nick staggered as his older daughter threw herself at him. "Settle down Ash," he laughed.

"Yes," Julie said laughing. "Let your dad get his bearings before you start."

"I have some big news," Nick said. "Around the time your mum goes on her winter hols from school, I'll start a small three city tour in Australia."

"That's where Greta's from!" Katie said excitedly.

"That's where I was born too," Nick laughed. "And that comes to the second part of my surprise."

"What's that?" Julie asked.

"I've made arrangements for you three to come on the tour with me!" Nick grinned.

"REALLY?" Ashley screamed excitedly. "Dad, that's soooo cool!"

Julie though didn't share their enthusiasm which wasn't lost on Nick.

"Are you okay with that?" Nick asked, his voice low as their daughters danced around happily.

"What about your parents?" she asked in a hushed tone. "You've not been back there since you left..."

"I know, and I figured it was time to go back." he said quietly.

"Are you sure?" she asked.

"I was the one who chose the three cities there," Nick said, reaching out to touch her cheek. "Now I get to show you the city I grew up in."

"I'd love to see it," Julie said leaning in for a kiss.

"Here they go again," Katie rolled her eyes. "Mummy you and Daddy kiss ALL the time!"

"Not all the time," Julie said tickling her daughter. "Not all the time."

"So do you think you two want to go?" Nick teased, pulling Ashley over to him. "Or should we leave you here and have Greta baby sit?"

"I want to go!" Katie exclaimed. "Can Caroline come too?"

"I'm afraid she can't go sweetheart," Nick replied. "It would just be the four of us, and Greta of course."

"But you can get her a nice souvenir," Julie said. "Something really nice."

"Okay," Katie pouted a moment but that suggestion made her brighten back up.

"It will be nice to get away and see where your dad grew up, won't it?" Julie asked scooping Katie up into her arms.

"Uh huh," Katie nodded.

Julie smiled. "Me too. I've never been to Australia."

"Fantastic," Nick said. "I'll let my agent know later today when we get back from the hospital."

Julie looked at her watch. "Speaking of which, we should probably get going."

"Great," Ashley said hopping off her father's lap. "I cannot wait to find out what happened with Aunt Saffy and Grandpa."

"Now, now," Julie said. "This is not family gossip. What your Aunt Saffy does is her business and her business alone."

"Okay Mum," Ashley said. "I won't say anything."

"Well let's get going then," Julie patted Katie's shoulder and ran her hand through the young girl's long brown curls.

"How are we going to get there Daddy?" Ashley asked. "We can't floo because it's a Muggle hospital, right?"

"We'll Floo to the Leaky Cauldron and then take a taxi to the hospital from there." Nick answered.

"Cool," Katie said picking up her colouring book and putting it in her pink bag.

"Did you colour that Ashley?" Nick asked, picking up the picture of the butterfly. "That's excellent!"

Ashley beamed at her father. "When I grow up, I'm going to be an artist!"

"You'll make a fine artist sweetheart," Nick grinned back at her.

"You really think so?" Ashley asked.

"Absolutely," he said, looking over at Julie. "And I bet my little Katie here will sing just like her old man."

Katie shook her head. "I want to dance."

"You'd do fantastic with that." Julie said supportively.

"Caroline's mummy said she can start taking lessons with her grandma next year," Katie said. "Can I take them too?"

"Sure," Nick said. "But in the meantime, let's head for London." he grabbed their pot of Floo powder off the mantle.

"I hate using the floo," Katie said wincing. "It gets me dirty."

"I'm not too fond of it either but it gets us where we're going," Julie said.

"Let's go," Nick said. "I'm sure your grandpa is ready to see you girls."

They got to the hospital rather quickly and Julie was glad to see her parents and Saffron just heading inside as well. "Mum, Dad!" she called out. "Saffy- wait up!"

Ashley and Katie ran up to their grandfather who enveloped them in a big hug. Saffron rolled her eyes and kept walking.

"Your great grandpa will be so glad to see you," Harry said to the two young girls.

Saffron flinched. That was something she hadn't thought about. If she did go back to school, Katie and Ashley would be able to visit him whenever they wanted. Just thinking about it made her angry.

"Why don't you girls tell your grandpa our big news?" Julie said.

"We're going to Australia!" Katie exclaimed happily.

"You are?" Harry asked. "Aren't you two lucky?" he grinned at them. "When do you get to go?"

"During my winter hols," Julie said. "Isn't that great?"

"I think it's fantastic," Hermione said. "Are you doing a tour or something Nick?" she asked.

"Yes," Nick replied. "I thought it'd be great to finally bring my girls with me."

"We get to see where Daddy grew up," Ashley said. "And Greta even gets to come with us!" she didn't notice Saffron's angry glare at the mention of their nanny.

Saffron waited impatiently for her family to catch up as she pressed the button for the lift.

"Aunt Saffy we'll bring you back a souvenir if you want," Ashley was standing next to her.

"That's really nice," Saffron said sarcastically. "You can send it to me at Hogwarts since I'm sure I won't be coming home for Christmas."

"Why wouldn't you come home?" Ashley was confused.

"Because apparently I should be at school all the time," Saffron said quietly.

Ashley stared at her aunt. "I wouldn't want to be at school ALL the time," she said.

"Yes well I'm sure they'd let YOU come home," Saffron said. Harry and Hermione were talking to Nick and Julie and hadn't heard her conversation with Ashley. The last thing Saffron wanted or needed was for them to lay another lecture on her.

"You're being all crabby Aunt Saffy," Ashley said. "You probably need to kip. That's what Mummy says when me or Katie gets mad about something."

"I took a kip before we came over here," Saffron said defensively. The lift finally pinged open and everyone hurried inside.

"So are you and Aunt Lav okay?" Julie asked her dad in a low voice.

"Not really," Harry said quietly.

"Just promise me if she's here you two won't get into it," Julie said. "Promise me Dad."

Harry didn't know if that was a promise he could keep, but he did promise to try and keep a level head where Lavender was concerned.

"I hope Dad gets to go home soon," Hermione was saying. "I think he'll recover much better in his own home rather than here in a hospital."

"With everyone he loves around him," Saffron chimed in.

Hermione squeezed Saffron's shoulder gently. "I'm sure he'll be glad to see you today sweetheart," she said, steering the subject away.

The lift pinged open and Saffron led the family out into the waiting room. "I can go in by myself right?" she asked her mother. "And you promise me you haven't told him anything about this?"

"Saffy," Hermione said patiently. "You know I haven't talked to your grandpa about this."

"I know," Saffron said giving her mother a slight smile. "I just wanted to make sure."

Harry looked over at his daughter and was going to say something to her, but she just glared at him. She hadn't said a word to him since they'd returned home from Julie's.

Hermione caught this and gave Harry's hand a quick squeeze. Her husband and youngest daughter had such similar tempers that it amused her sometimes.

"I'm going to go ahead if that's okay?" Saffron asked her mother.

"That's fine love." Hermione said.

"Good luck Saffy," Harry said, surprising her. "If your grandfather says he wants you to stay, then we'll do what we can to work things out for you all right? I promise."

"You really mean that?" Saffron asked.

"Pinky swear," Harry said, giving her a smile.

Saffron smiled at him for the first time that day. "Thank you Daddy."

Harry chucked her under the chin and sent her off in the direction of Robert's room. "Do you think your dad will want her to stay?" he asked his wife.

"I don't know," Hermione replied sitting down on one of the sofas. "Education has always been important to Dad, but you know how much he cares about Saffy."

"I know," Harry said. "And if he wants her to stay, I'll personally go to Hogwarts every day to take her homework in and get her new assignments... I won't especially be happy about her missing school but..." he sat back and sighed.

"You know how much she loves school," Hermione said. "If this wasn't important to her, she wouldn't have even suggested it."

"That's true," Harry leaned back as Ashley edged over into his lap. "Hey sweetheart," he smiled at her. "Are you going to tell me more about your trip to Australia?"

"I can't wait Grandpa," Ashley said excitedly. "I wish you could go too, but we'll bring you back something really nice."

"That's very sweet of you," Harry said with a grin. "You're a good girl Ash."

"Thanks Grandpa," Ashley said. "Did you want to see the picture I made for Grandpa Robert?"

"I'd love to," Harry replied.

Ashley reached into her bag and produced the butterfly picture and proudly showed it to her grandparents. Not to be outdone, Katie eagerly reached into her bag to show them hers as well.

"These are both fantastic," Hermione was especially impressed by Ashley's butterfly but didn't single it out for praise. "I think Grandpa is going to absolutely love both of these, and I bet they make him feel so much better whenever he sees them."

"I'm glad Grandpa's going to be okay," Ashley said giving her grandmother a hug. "I know you'd be really sad if he wasn't and so would we."

Hermione kissed her granddaughter's cheek. "You're such a sweet girl," she put an arm around Katie. "Both my girls are sweet."

It was nearly a half hour later when Saffron walked out of her grandfather's room with Elinore. She wiped the tears from her cheek. Her grandfather had told her how important she was to him, but that he wanted her to go back to school and make him proud. He'd said that was the way she could help him out. With a heavy heart, she followed her grandmother into the waiting room.

It seemed as if everyone was waiting on pins and needles to hear if she was staying or not. Saffron didn't want to admit to anyone, especially her parents, that they had been right.

One look at her daughter's face and Hermione knew that her daughter hadn't heard what she'd wanted.

"Saffy I'm sorry," Harry said, genuinely upset that his daughter was unhappy.

Saffron nodded wordlessly and sat down away from the others.

"Grandma!" Katie said launching herself at Elinore. "I missed you!"

"Hello darling," Elinore said, hugging her great granddaughter.

"Ashley and I made pictures for Grandpa," Katie said animatedly. "And Mummy said we could go down to the gift shop and get him a balloon. I wanted to get him a flower, but Daddy said Grandpa probably wouldn't want flowers since he's a boy and all."

"I'm sure he'd love a flower from you," Elinore said with a smile. "Grandpa loves anything from you two."

Katie beamed at her grandmother. "Mummy said we'll have a big party for him when he comes home!"

Saffron felt as if she'd been kicked in the stomach. Katie and Ashley would get to stay and they'd be the ones helping Grandpa get better. But, she would be back at Hogwarts which seemed like a world away. It wasn't fair.

"Of course we will," Elinore said. "And you and Ashley will be around to help me take good care of him right?"

Saffron didn't wait around to hear her nieces answer her grandmother. While everyone was smiling and cooing over how sickeningly cute they were, she slipped out of the waiting room and ran out of the hospital.

"Can we go and see him now?" Katie asked.

Elinore nodded. "Why don't you get your Mum to take you back there? And don't forget those pictures."

"Okay Grandma," Ashley said agreeably, holding her butterfly picture protectively.

Julie led her two daughters out of the waiting area and down the hall.

Hermione watched them go and was glad that she and Harry would have some alone time with Saffron. She turned around but Saffron was nowhere to be found.

"Harry," she put a hand on her husband's arm. "Did you send Saffy anywhere?"

Harry shook his head. "Maybe she had to go to the loo..."

Hermione nodded. "You're probably right," she relaxed a little, but when her daughter wasn't back several minutes later she tensed up again.

"Don't worry Hermione," Nick said. "I'm sure she probably just went down to the cafeteria or the gift shop. I'll go check down there, okay?"

"Thanks Nick," Hermione said, but deep down she was still a bit worried.

"She was so upset when Robert talked with her," Elinore said shaking her head. "It broke her heart, Hermione."

Hermione bit her lower lip. "She was so intent on staying to help him..."

"He didn't want her to miss any more lessons than she already had," Elinore said. "He told her that he'd be fine and that she'd just be bored sitting around playing cards with him all day."

"But she doesn't see it like that at all," Harry said softly. "She just sees it as wanting to help the people she loves most." he sat back. "I'm going to talk to Dumbledore about possibly coming to get her on weekends so she can stay and help out. I don't know why I didn't think of that sooner."

"That's brilliant," Hermione said smiling at him. "She wouldn't miss any lessons and she'd still get to help out!"

"She wasn't down in the gift shop or the cafeteria," Nick reported, coming back into the waiting room. "I even had a nurse check the loo and there's no sign of her..."

"Where could she have gone?" Hermione asked panic stricken. "We should have been paying attention to her, Harry."

"I know," Harry said. "All right, maybe she headed back home- I'll check there."

"I'll check with Ethan," Hermione said. "Mum, can you stay here and let Julie know? And you'll be here in case she comes back?"

"Of course sweetheart," Elinore replied.

While everyone was off searching for Saffron, an oblivious Lavender woke up from her kip. She reached for Seamus but was surprised to find he wasn't in bed with her anymore. She sat up in bed and as she did so, she could hear the sound of the shower running.

Checking the clock on the bedside table, she pulled the sheets back and got out of bed.

"Seamus?" she called, knocking on the bathroom door.

"I'll be out in a minute Lav," he called back.

"Okay," she yawned and decided to go make them both some tea to have before they headed back to the hospital.

Saffron knocked on her aunt's door hoping that she was home. Lavender was the only one who understood how she felt.

"Who is it?" Lavender pushed her hair out of her eyes as she passed by the door.

"It's me, Aunt Lav," Saffron said weakly.

"Saffy?" Lavender unlocked the door. "What are you doing here love?"

Saffron didn't say anything. She just hurried into Lavender's arms and hugged her. "I didn't have anywhere else to go..."

"What do you mean?" Lavender was confused. "Honey what happened?"

Saffron sank down onto Lavender's plush sofa and dabbed at her eyes unsure of where to begin.

Lavender slid a comforting arm around her. "Did your Dad say something to you about he and I fighting earlier?" she asked.

Saffy shook her head. "No one wants me, Aunt Lav. They want me to go away."

"That's ridiculous Saffy," Lavender said firmly. "Everyone loves you."

"No they don't," Saffron said. She told her aunt all about the deal she'd made with her parents and how they'd gone to the hospital. "And I thought for sure he'd want me to stay. B-but he told me to go back to school..."

Lavender hugged the younger girl tightly. "You know Saffy, I know I told you before that it would be a good idea to stay here, but your parents and Uncle Robert are right. The best place for you to be is in school right now. And think- maybe you'll learn something from the nurse there that you can use to help when you come home for holidays."

Saffron flinched and pulled away from Lavender. "You don't want me around either. Mum and Dad got to you too."

"That's not true," Lavender said. "I love having you around. I miss you so much when I'm over in California. Every time I make a new robe for that collection I named after you it almost makes me cry because I don't get to see you that often."

Saffron hadn't known it was possible to cry as much as she had in the past two days. All the emotions she'd felt over the past 48 hours seemed to spill out of her as she spoke to Lavender.

"I just want to be here for Grandpa," she said softly. "But no one understands. It's like they think I'll be in the way. And Katie and Ashley can just swoop in and take over. They took Greta away from me. They'll take Grandpa too."

Lavender felt just awful as she moved next to Saffron and hugged the girl tightly. "Sweetheart... you can't blame Katie and Ashley. No one stole Greta from you- Nick and Julie just needed the help to watch their girls. And your grandfather won't love you any less because they're around while you're off at school."

Harry and Hermione arrived breathlessly at Seamus and Lavender's flat at that moment. Harry was trying to keep his wife from working herself into a panic at Saffron's disappearance as Seamus answered the door.

"She's in the sitting room with Lavender," Seamus said in a hushed tone. When he saw Harry's jaw clench, Seamus held up a hand. "She's on your side, Harry."

"Come on," Hermione grabbed Harry's hand again, trying to calm herself down. They could hear Lavender and Saffron talking quietly together and they paused outside the door for a moment.

"I think you need to tell your parents how you feel," Lavender stroked Saffron's hair back as the girl clutched a soggy tissue. "They love you so much Saffy. You know that. Your grandparents love you too. In fact, I bet it would make Uncle Robert feel better if you owled him progress reports from school. You know how he always loves to hear about your grades right?"

"I guess," Saffron sniffled. "I'm just scared if I go away to school next time I come back he'll be all sick again!"

"Saffron?" Hermione called out. "Oh sweetheart..."

"Mum!" Saffron jumped. "Dad!"

Hermione walked around the sofa and wiped a tear from Saffron's cheek. "I was so scared that something had happened to you...you shouldn't have run off like that."

"I'm sorry," Saffron said in a small voice.

Hermione hugged her. "Why did you run away, Saffy?"

"Because no one wanted me there!" Saffron burst out.

"That's not true," Hermione told her. "You know that isn't true!"

"That's how it felt," Saffron didn't want to look at them

"Lav?" Seamus asked. "How about we let them talk alone?"

"All right," Lavender patted her hand supportively.

Saffron watched as Lavender and Seamus left the sitting room and for a few moments she wished she could go with them. Harry took Lavender's empty seat beside his daughter.

"So I suppose I'm punished now," she said sullenly.

"We'll talk about that later," Hermione said quietly. She reached for her daughter's hand. "I think we need to talk about you and how you've been feeling. This isn't easy stuff for a fourteen-year old to go through by herself."

"Okay," she said with a shuddery sigh.

"You know that your father and I love you very much don't you?" Hermione asked.

"I know," Saffron said, wiping her eyes.

"And we do want you around," Harry said putting a hand on her shoulder. "Always."

"You do?" She asked, tears still welling up in her eyes.

"Of course we do," Hermione said. She had no idea that her daughter had been feeling this way. "Why on earth would you think any different?"

"Because none of you want me to stay except Aunt Lav," Saffron mumbled. "Everyone keeps just telling me that I have to go back to school. Grandpa told me that too. And then I hear Grandma telling Ashley and Katie that she wants THEIR help but they don't want mine!"

"That's not true Saffy," Hermione said. "And your grandparents love having you around, you know that." She looked to her husband for help.

Harry put his arm around his daughter and pulled her close. "Saffy you have to trust that we know what's best for you. Right now it's for you to be at school. Believe me, we know you want to help out. I know that your grandfather appreciates that."

Saffron nodded. That was pretty much the same thing her grandfather had said. "I know..."

Harry knew that there wasn't much he could say at the moment to appease her so he decided to go for broke. "I have a little surprise for you," he began.

"You're giving my room at home to Katie and Ashley?" Saffron asked sarcastically.

Hermione frowned. "There's no need for that Saffron Grace," she said sternly. "Once you hear what your father has to say--"

"I know," Saffron said sitting up. "I'm sorry, Daddy. What is it?"

"As I was saying," Harry began again. "I'm going to work it out so that any weekend you want to come home, you can. I'll come collect you on a Friday night, and take you back Sunday evening. During those weekends you can stay with us and spend the days at your grandparents' house helping out."

Saffron stared at her father. "You're kidding? Really? You'd let me do that?"

"It's something we should have thought of when you first began talking about staying home," Harry said.

"And we want you to know if your marks start to go down as a result, that the weekend trips will stop," Hermione interjected gently.

Saffron nodded. "I'll do even better than I am now, Mum. I promise. This is going to be so great!" She flung her arms around her father and hugged him.

Harry hugged his daughter back. "And I'd like it if you let go of this Greta thing as well."

Saffron pulled slowly away from her father. "Oh..."

"Saffy, you know that Nick is like a son to her," Hermione said. "And when Harry and I hired her, we knew that we probably wouldn't have her for very long. We both knew that if and when Julie and Nick had a child of their own, she'd want to work for them."

Saffron could still remember how she'd felt when she'd heard Greta would be leaving them. Ashley had been two years old at the time and Julie was pregnant with Katie.

"But she was with me for my whole life until that point," Saffron tried to point out. "And it was like I had no say in her staying or leaving."

"It nearly killed her to leave you too," Hermione pointed out.

"It did?" Saffron hadn't known this.

"Very much so," Hermione said. "She was in tears when she told us how Nick had asked if she'd come to work for them. And that she couldn't bear the thought of leaving you, but that Nick and Julie needed her and she was afraid that any choice she made would hurt someone she cared about."

"We told her not to worry about it- that you were old enough for us to take care of on our own, especially since Ethan was at Hogwarts by then, and to go help Nick." Harry added.

"And she couldn't bring herself to tell you she was leaving," Hermione said. "She tried, but every time she'd see you, she'd chicken out. So, Harry and I had to tell you."

"I always thought she wanted to go," Saffron said quietly. "I mean I'm sure she wanted to go help Nick raise his own kids, but I never knew she had so much trouble leaving me."

"She did," Hermione said. "And it certainly doesn't do anything for her guilt when you keep sending her owls trying to get her to come back..."

Saffron looked sheepishly at her mother. "She told you about that, did she?"

"Yes she did," Hermione replied.

"I was particularly fond of the letter you wrote asking her how she'd be able to live with herself if you ended up malnutritioned because you had to eat your mum's cooking," Harry said trying not to laugh.

Saffron turned a deep shade of red as Hermione bit her lower lip in amusement. "I know it's bad but you eat more of my lasagne than your father."

"That is really good," Saffron admitted. "And you do make a really good sandwich."

"Well when you come home during summer hols, you know that Greta, not to mention Ashley and Katie, love having you around like you were this past year." Harry said. "So you'll still get to spend plenty of time with her."

"And with you guys too," Saffron said resting her head on her dad's shoulder. "I miss you two most of all."

Harry kissed the top of her head. "We miss you too sweetheart. We love you so much."

"And you should ask your father what a crying, snivelling mess I am when we see you off at Kings Cross each September," Hermione said.

"You'd probably laugh," Harry nudged his daughter. "Seeing your Mum bawling all over the place like a baby."

"I do get pretty bad," Hermione said with a laugh. "I keep asking your father if we packed your favourite jumper in your trunk. Or if you forgot this or if you forgot that."

"It would be so much worse if we were Muggles," Saffron stayed snuggled into her father's side.

"So we're okay now?" Harry asked his daughter. "No misunderstandings? No more thinking that no one wants her around?"

Saffron shook her head. "I'm sorry for running out of the hospital." she said.

"Just don't ever do anything like that again," Hermione said.

"I'm sorry to interrupt," Lavender said carrying a tray of tea and biscuits into the room. "I thought you might be hungry..."

"I'm starving," Saffron said. "I never ate anything today."

"These are some of those chocolate and peanut butter ones you like so much," Lavender said glad to see Saffron smiling again.

"Thanks Aunt Lav," Saffron grinned.

"Hey Lavender can I have a word?" Harry asked, standing up.

Lavender sighed. She'd wondered when he'd lay into her for interfering again. "I suppose..."

They went into the hallway. "I wanted to apologise," Harry said once they were alone.

"Look Harry I just---" she began. "Excuse me, what?"

"I'm sorry," Harry said. "For the things I said earlier. For telling you to go to hell. That was really out of line for me to say."

"It was out of line for me to go behind your back like I did," Lavender said. "I shouldn't have done that. She's your daughter."

"Yeah but you saw where she was coming from," Harry said. "And I know you were just trying to be supportive."

"I'd do anything for her," Lavender said.

"There's one big thing we have in common," Harry glanced into the sitting room.

"Yeah," Lavender said with a smile. "Look, Harry. I know you and I haven't always gotten along. And I guess I shouldn't be so quick to believe the worst about you..."

"You mean you won't come into our room and hit me with newspapers?" Harry joked.

"How long are you going to hold that one over my head?" she asked. "That was years ago..."

Harry laughed. "Forever?"

"That sounds about right," Lavender said. "And I guess you can't be that bad. My cousin seems to think you're okay and you are one of husband's best mates."

"And I am the sexiest wizard alive for how many years running?" Harry grinned.

Lavender rolled her eyes. "And you certainly have a healthy ego."

"Truce?" Harry asked.

Lavender smiled. "Truce."

"Dad can we go back to the hospital?" Saffron asked as they went back into the sitting room.

"Yes," Harry said. "We need to let everyone know you're okay."

"Seamus and I will come with," Lavender said. "If that's okay, I mean."

"Of course it is," Harry slung an arm around her. "We'll give you two hours to get ready first."

"It doesn't take me two hours to get ready," Lavender said defensively. "And you're one to talk Gel Boy. How much do you have in your hair anyway?"

"None," Harry rumpled his hair. "It's naturally messy."

"Didn't I hear that the just got out of bed look was in?" Hermione asked.

"Dad's always in fashion," Saffron giggled.

"Thank you Saffron," Harry said beaming at his youngest.

"Is it safe to come in?" Seamus asked comically from the door. "The battle zones are peaceful?"

"Both sides have come to a truce," Lavender told her husband. "After they both admitted they went a bit over the line."

"Just a bit?" Hermione asked, her eyebrow raised.

"You're right," Lavender said looking down at the carpet. "Harry went WAY over the line."

"Excuse me?" Harry asked, crossing his arms. "Ms Overdramatic about Everything says I went over the line?"

"I prefer Drama Queen thank you very much," Lavender said sticking her tongue out at him. "And you're one to talk as it is."

"Okay, okay," Seamus cut in hastily as Harry opened his mouth to retort. "I'd better get my wife into the loo to get ready so we can get back to the hospital before Robert gets released," he dodged Lavender's playful punch.

Harry sat back down beside his daughter and helped himself to a biscuit.

"You and my cousin," Hermione said, shaking her head. "You two bicker more than Ron and I do."

"No one bickers more than you and Ron," Harry said with a chuckle. He nudged Saffron. "Back me up on this one sweetheart."

Saffron smiled. "That's totally true Mum. You and Uncle Ron argue about everything."

"That's because all he ever thinks about is his stomach," Hermione said defensively. "And he is the biggest slob on the planet. I don't know how Luna puts up with him. Leaving crumbs all over the place...and don't even get me started on his---what?"

Harry and Saffron were both laughing at her.

"But that doesn't mean we bicker all the time," Hermione said quickly. "We just have a difference in opinion on nearly every subject."

"Like SPEW," Harry said with a grin.

Hermione glared at him. "You know that was way more important than those wonky faint thingies."

"Wronski Feint," Harry and Saffron both corrected her.

"Mum one of these days you have to get that right," Saffron said with a grin. "Especially when I master that. I'm going to play Quidditch professionally someday."

"You want to play professionally?" Harry asked. She'd never told them this.

Saffron nodded. "I really want to play for Puddlemere. Don't tell Uncle Ron that they're my favourite team though, he still thinks I worship the Cannons."

Harry had never met anyone who loved to fly as much as he did until he'd taken Saffron up for her first flight. He could still remember how she'd held on to him and how she'd giggled happily the entire time.

"Imagine the look on his face when his goddaughter plays for his team's archrival?" Harry asked winking at her.

"It'll be great," Saffron said with a laugh.

"And you're going to try out next year for the house team?" Harry asked not wanting to push her, but unable to contain his excitement at the prospect of another Potter on the Gryffindor team.

"I'm going to try," Saffron replied. "I either want to be a Keeper or a Seeker."

"You'd be great at either position," Harry said thoughtfully. "Maybe we can practise some on some of your weekends home. You know how much your Grandpa likes to watch you fly. I bet he'd love to watch."

Saffron nodded happily. "Let's go back so I can tell him that I'll get to see him every weekend."

"There's that smile we all love so much," Hermione said grinning back at her daughter. "It's good to see you happy again, Saffy."

"Thanks to you guys," Saffron said.

"Just keep in mind that you are going back to school tomorrow," Harry said. "I need to iron out the details with Dumbledore still."

"I know," Saffron replied, finishing off her tea. "Do you think he'll let me leave the school Dad?"

"I think if we explain the circumstances, he'll agree," Harry replied. "And if we promise that your marks won't suffer."

Saffron shook her head vehemently. "I already promised I wouldn't let them go down. I'll even do better in Potions!"

"Speaking of which," Hermione said. "How has that gone? With you and Professor Snape?"

Saffron shrugged. "Okay I guess- Dumbledore had McGonagall go over my essay and I got better marks, and he still calls me a know it all in class but he stopped giving me detention for stupid things like knowing an answer."

"Your essay was fantastic," Hermione said proudly. "Not that I'm biased or anything but it really was."

Saffron grinned. "It was rather good wasn't it?"

"It was," Hermione agreed.

"I thought so too," Harry said. "Although I didn't really know much of what you were talking about."

"Neither do I," Lavender cast a look at her cousin.

"That's because you never paid any attention in Potions," Hermione said. "I'd hate to think what would have happened to you if I'd not been around."

"Same for us having Potions with the Ravenclaws," Seamus grinned at Harry. "We got lucky there."

"Very, very true," Harry said with a laugh.

39. Chapter 39

Authors' note: Thanks to everyone who has reviewed. Bless your delusional little hearts! Saffron is still taking some heat for being a bit bratty. But please do try and remember she is 14 years old and she is the baby of the family. She isn't always going to get her way, but she is very headstrong and stubborn, gifts she received from both her parents. This chapter starts a storyline for the youngest Longbottom daughter, Frankie. We hope you enjoy reading it as much as we enjoyed writing it. Please review!

"I am so sorry Allie," Maddie said. "I can still watch the girls, but I don't know what I'll do if I have another vision. They just keep coming these past few days and I've spent almost all my time here at the Ministry and I don't know how I'd get a hold of someone if I have another and have to leave right away..."

Allison sighed and tried not to let her sister-in-law hear the disappointment in her voice. "It's okay, Maddie. Really."

Allison and Jon were supposed to be going away this weekend for their anniversary. She'd been looking forward to it for weeks. Neville and Cho had been all set to take the girls, but they'd both come down with a horrible case of the Wizarding flu.

Chiaki was having a tough time with her pregnancy and there was no way Allison could ask her to watch the girls. Uncle Harry and Aunt Hermione were away on some International Conference. Lizzy and Josh were both swamped with work. Drew and Darla were away in the Caribbean at a wedding.

"You have no idea how sorry I am," Maddie was upset at herself for letting her brother and sister in law down. "I just don't want to endanger the girls in any way."

"It's okay Maddie," Allison said into the phone. "Don't worry about it. Jon's Flooed over to see Arthur and Molly. I'm sure they won't mind looking after Emma and Caroline."

"I hope they can do it," Maddie replied. "Again, I'm really sorry Allie."

"It's okay," Allison said. "I'll ring you later, okay? Say hello to Ethan for us."

"I will," Maddie said goodbye and was gone. Allison sighed and rubbed at her eyes, hoping against hope that Molly and Arthur would be free to watch the girls.

Caroline plopped down next to her mother. "Where is Daddy taking you again?"

"We're just going to Yorkshire sweetheart," Allison replied absently. "Just for our anniversary. But we may have to do it another weekend."

"But it won't be your anniversary on another weekend," Caroline said snuggling close to her mother. "Or your birthday."

"I know baby," Allison stroked her daughter's hair.

"I wish we could have stayed with Katie and Ashley," Caroline said softly. "But they're busy too right?"

"Right love," Allison said. "There's still a chance you might be able to stay with your grandparents though. That's why Daddy went over there."

"I'm going to go play in my room," Caroline said. She was really working on something for her mother's birthday, but she certainly wasn't going to tell her about that yet. "I love you Mummy."

"I love you too sweetheart," Allison smiled as her daughter gave her a big hug.

Caroline gave her mother a little wave before scampering back to her bedroom.

Allison sat back and closed her eyes, enjoying the momentary peace and quiet. Emma had gone down for a kip more than an hour before, so she would most likely be waking up anytime now. The fireplace whooshed to life at that moment, and her husband came tumbling out.

Jon dusted himself off and wondered how he was going to tell his wife the bad news. They'd both been looking forward to this. He just hoped that Maddie may have come through for them.

"Hey you," Jon said giving his wife a weak smile.

"Hey," Allison smiled back. "Please tell me you have some good news..."

"Well it seems that our anniversary coincides with some big party in Ottery St-Catchpole which my Nana happens to be catering," Jon said with a frown. "And Grandpa's planning to show off a bunch of his Muggle things."

Allison's face fell. "Great," she muttered. "Maddie can't do it either. She's having vision after vision lately and has been spending all her time at the Ministry."

Jon put his hands on her shoulder. "We're not postponing this. This is our anniversary. We've not gone away just the two of us since before Caroline was born. We need this."

"I know we do," Allison said. "But we obviously can't leave our girls home alone now can we?"

"No," Jon said. An idea suddenly came to him. "What about Mr. and Mrs. Reynolds next door?"

"They're gone," Allison replied gloomily. "Visiting their own relatives."

"Chris and Margot?" Jon offered thinking of two of their old Hogwarts friends.

Allison simply shook her head.

Jon saw his wife was near tears and he took her in his arms. "It's going to work out, Al."

"It sure doesn't seem like it will," Allison said, resting her head on his shoulder. "I miss being with you so much Jon. I wouldn't trade our life as we have it right now for anything in the world but sometimes I just need to be alone with you."

Jon pulled her closer. "I need it too, Allie. We'll..."

His voice trailed off as he saw a picture of Allison with her two sisters on the coffee table. "Hang on just a second. There is someone we haven't thought about..."

"Who?" Allison perked up.

Jon picked up the picture and handed it to his wife. "Frankie."

Allison raised an eyebrow. "You want Frankie to watch our girls?"

"She wouldn't be my first choice, no," Jon admitted. "But she is their aunt."

"She never shows any interest in watching the girls," Allison said. "But then again... we never really ask her if she'd stay with them when we need them to be watched..."

"And we are desperate," Jon said. "It's worth a try, Al. I know with the way things are going, she'll probably turn us down, but ..."

"I suppose it wouldn't hurt to ask," Allison grabbed a pinch of Floo powder and stuck her head into the fireplace, calling out to her sister.

Frankie had been going over some press releases in her office when she saw heard her sister call out to her. "Allison?"

"Hey Frankie," Allison said. "Have you got a minute?"

"Sure," Frankie said setting her paperwork aside. "You know my offer still stands. You are welcome to borrow one of my dresses for your weekend away. I have just the one for you...it's black with this really cute beading on the bodice..."

"That's not why I'm bugging you," Allison said. "I know you're probably busy since this is incredibly late notice but... well Jon and I were wondering if you'd be willing to watch the girls for us this weekend. No one else can."

"Watch the girls do what?" Frankie asked.

"You know, stay here with them." Allison chewed on her lower lip.

Frankie stared at her in disbelief. "You want ME to baby sit?"

"Well... yes." Allison said.

"You mean like feed them and stuff? And...and clean dirty nappies? That sort of thing?" Frankie asked.

"If you can't we understand," Allison said hastily. "I just thought maybe... you'd be free."

Frankie thought about this. As a matter of fact, she was free. She was involved in public relations for the Puddlemere Quidditch team and actually had this weekend off. Will was out of town visiting his parents and she'd wondered what she'd do for the weekend. She loved her nieces, but she wasn't so sure she was up to spending an entire weekend with them.

"You really have no other options, do you?" Frankie asked.

"Not really," Allison said ruefully. "You're sort of our last hope."

Frankie wanted to say no, but she knew how long her sister had been looking forward to this weekend. And if anyone deserved a break, it was Allison and Jon.

"I'll do it," she said giving her sister a smile. "Babysitting could be fun."

"I understand Frankie, you're busy-- wait what?" Allison stopped. "You'll do it?"

Frankie nodded. "Why not? I didn't really have any plans this weekend. And you did say I was your only hope."

"You have no idea how much this means to us," Allison said excitedly. "Frankie thank you so much. Jon and I owe you big time."

"No problem," Frankie said wondering what she was getting herself into. "Um, what time did you need me to come by?"

"Around three tomorrow afternoon if possible?" Allison asked.

"I'll come a little early so you can show me what I need to do," Frankie said.

"All right," Allison said. "Thank you so much. You've no idea what a favour you're doing for us Frankie."

"It's my pleasure," Frankie said genuinely happy to help her sister and brother-in-law out, but a little apprehensive about spending an entire weekend by herself with a four-year old and a baby.

"She's going to do it!" Allison exclaimed brightly to Jon, pulling her head out of the fireplace. "We can go!"

"You're kidding, right?" Jon asked. He'd thought for sure that Frankie would turn them down. "Really?"

"She said she'd come by a little early tomorrow so we could show her what to do," Allison hugged him tightly. "We're finally getting our weekend away!"

Jon swung her around. "A weekend away with my beautiful wife...with no interruptions....no dirty nappies...."

Allison kissed him hungrily. "There's a taste of what's to come," she whispered.

"You know we probably won't leave our room the entire weekend," he said grinning at her.

"That's fine with me," Allison said, her forehead resting against his. "You're the only thing I plan on doing this weekend." she gave him a wicked little smile.

"Mrs. Weasley, I like the sound of that," he said kissing her again.

*** *** ***

Maddie held Ethan's hand as they walked out of the restaurant onto Diagon Alley. It had been the only time they'd seen each other this week as they'd both been busy with work.

"I hope Allie and Jon were able to find someone to watch the girls," Maddie said. "I feel horrible about not being able to take them."

"I'm sure they understand," Ethan reassured her. "Besides, they'd rather reschedule than have something happen to you or Caroline or Emma if you had a vision."

"I went nearly two months without seeing anything and now it's like they're happening every day," Maddie said shaking her head.

"Anything really bad?" Ethan asked.

"I can't say," Maddie said apologetically. "I'm sorry, Ethan. I wish I could..."

"I understand," he replied quickly. "There's a lot of things about my Auror assignments that I haven't been able to tell you either."

"Good," Maddie said. "I was worried. It's hard not to share this with you."

Ethan pulled his hand out of hers and slipped his arm around her shoulders. "Enough about work," he said. "I haven't seen you in a week and I'd rather talk about something more fun."

Maddie smiled. "Like what?"

"I don't know," he grinned back at her. "Just something other than work."

"You're putting pressure on me now," Maddie giggled. "I can't think of anything to talk about."

"Who says we need to talk?" Ethan asked, a gleam in his brown eyes.

"Not me," Maddie said inching closer to him.

"Have I been a corrupting influence on you?" he asked softly. "A few months ago you wouldn't dream of kissing in public..."

"Well we haven't seen each other in a week," she said. "And I've wanted you to kiss me all evening.."

Ethan touched her cheek softly. "I've been thinking about snogging you all week long..."

Someone walking by bumped into Maddie causing her to stumble against Ethan. The woman stopped in her tracks. "I'm sorry. I wasn't watching...Ethan?"

Ethan was slightly annoyed that he'd gotten interrupted but his eyes opened wide when he saw the woman standing in front of him. "Bree?"

Bree nodded. She stared at her ex-boyfriend and Madeline Weasley and wished she'd just kept walking. This was the first time she'd seen him in months. An almost unbearable silence followed as no one knew what to say.

"How are you?" Ethan finally interjected awkwardly. "It's um... it's been awhile."

"Yes it has," Bree said giving him a slight smile. "Hello, Maddie."

"Hello Bree," Maddie smiled graciously at her. "It's lovely to see you again."

Bree had heard from some mutual friends about Ethan's relationship with Maddie but she'd brushed it off and insisted she hadn't cared. Of course, it was easy to say that when she didn't have to see them together. Her eyes fell on their joined hands and she quickly looked away.

"Um, I'm going to go and say hello to my Uncle Fred," Maddie said motioning toward the joke shop across the street. "I'll let you two catch up."

"I'll be there in a bit," Ethan said. "So um... how have you been?" he asked once Maddie was gone.

"Fine," Bree said quickly. "I graduated from University and I've spent the last few months travelling. I start my new job Monday."

"Congratulations," Ethan said. "I bet you were at the top of your class."

Bree blushed. "Well, you know...."

Another awkward silence followed. Bree looked over at him. "What about you? What have you been up to? Tom told me you were finishing up your training?"

"Yeah, I got to work with my dad," Ethan grinned. "It ends next week and I'm officially an Auror."

Bree smiled genuinely happy for him. "That's great, Ethan."

"So where are you going to be working?" he asked, feeling more comfortable with his ex girlfriend.

"I'm going to work at the Ministry actually," Bree replied. "In the International Magical Office of Law."

"That's fantastic," Ethan replied. "Are you still interested in deciphering runes like you used to be?"

"I wrote my thesis on it actually," Bree said pleased that he remembered. "It was published in two journals."

"Wow," Ethan was impressed. "That's incredible Bree."

"Thanks," Bree said. "But what about you...working with your dad! Do you think you'll still be able to do that once your training is over?"

"I probably won't be able to," Ethan said. "He's on a whole other level than I am- I'll have to work my way up to those sorts of assignments he gets."

"You'll get there soon," Bree told him. "You really were made for that job."

"Thanks," Ethan said. "So what else have you been up to? Are you... seeing anyone?"

Bree looked away not wanting to admit that she hadn't seen anyone since their break up. Instead, she decided to ask him about Maddie.

"You and Maddie?" she asked him. "How long has that been going on?"

"Since June," Ethan said. "Our families went to Brighton together and we... just sort of hooked up there." he ran his hands through his hair. "Look I know things ended on a bit of a bad note between us--"

"That's putting it mildly," she said folding her arms and trying not to laugh.

"I didn't want it to," he said honestly. "I know I was an arse, breaking up with you during the holidays. I wish I could take it back. I really didn't want to ruin your Christmas."

"Oh get over yourself," Bree said touching his arm. "I was just teasing, Ethan. I'm...I'm happy for you and Maddie, really."

He shook his head. "Thanks," he grinned at her. "Making me feel like an arse all over again." he joked.

"I couldn't resist," she said laughing.

"You never could," he retorted playfully. "So come on, how come you're not snagged up by some intellect from University?"

"Because I concentrated on my studies," she said. "But you know my friends. They're always trying to set me up with someone."

"Aye," Ethan smiled. "I know that quite well."

"So I've gone on some horrid blind dates," Bree joked.

"I better not be included in that," Ethan said with a straight face.

"You're not," she assured him.

"Good to hear," Ethan said.

"Uncle Fred says hi," Maddie joined the two of them outside again. "He wanted me to give you a Canary Cream but I told him to wait until I had more than one free evening a week with you."

Ethan laughed. "Thanks Mads."

Bree looked at her watch. "I should really be going. It was great to see you again, Ethan. And you too, Maddie."

"We should keep in touch," Ethan said. "I'll owl you sometime."

"I'd like that," Bree said smiling at him. "And maybe we'll run into each other at the Ministry."

"I'm sure we will," Ethan said.

"Bye Bree," Maddie said. "It was nice seeing you again."

"It was really nice to see you too," Bree said smiling at Maddie.

When they were alone again, Maddie apologised for leaving him earlier. "I just thought you'd want to catch up. Everything's okay isn't it?"

"Yeah," Ethan replied. "We cleared up a bit of air between us."

"That's great," Maddie said smiling at him. "I know how horrible you felt after what happened at the Burrow."

Ethan took her hand as they began to walk again. "Yeah but this is better. You and me are better suited for each other."

"You don't have to reassure me, Ethan," she said sincerely. "But I am glad to hear you say that."

"Speaking of clearing air," Ethan stopped and pulled her into a small nook. "I'd like to share some air with you right now."

"Would you now?" Maddie asked.

"Very much so," he said with a mischievous grin.

"I'm all for sharing," Maddie said softly wrapping her arms around him.

Ethan leaned in as did she and pressed his lips firmly to hers.

Maddie relaxed against him forgetting for the moment about training, visions and her guilt about Jon and Allie.

He rubbed her cheek with his thumb, enjoying the closeness of the moment.

"I've missed you," she whispered rested her head on his chest.

"I wish we could go back to having all that free time we had when we were in Brighton," Ethan ran his hand through her long ponytail.

"I know," Maddie said. "But we're not always going to be this busy. At least that's what I keep telling myself."

"That's true," he said. "I hope things ease up soon. I miss seeing you almost every day."

"Yes, but you're getting to work with your dad," Maddie said looking up at him. "And I know you can't tell me any of the specifics, but I know you're enjoying that."

"Oh always," Ethan said. "But I still miss spending time with you."

"I miss it too," she said kissing him.

"Why don't you stay over tonight?" he suggested when they pulled apart.

Maddie frowned. "I can't, Ethan. I'm actually supposed to go back to work later tonight."

"Oh," he said, obviously disappointed. "All right then..."

"I would much rather be with you," she said smiling up at him. "You know that, right?"

"Yeah I know," Ethan nipped at her lower lip.

“You can walk me home," she said. "I'm sure Mum and Dad would love to see you. And I wanted to spend a bit of time with them before they leave tomorrow."

"All right," he said. "But promise me soon that we'll be able to spend at least more than an hour together."

"I promise," Maddie said. She shook her head. "You know there was a time not too long ago when you never wanted to spend time with me."

He gave her a gentle pinch. "That was fourteen years ago Madeline Molly."

"You were just playing hard to get then?" she teased.

"You could say that," he joked back.

"I was a bit of a pest," she admitted. "I don't know how you put up with me."

"I always begged my dad to tell you to leave me alone," Ethan confessed as they began walking again. "He always told me you were harmless."

"And I used to beg my mum and dad to let me visit," Maddie said grinning at him. "Drew and Darla tease me about that all the time now."

Ethan grinned back and squeezed her hand. "And now we can't get enough of each other."

They walked in silence for a few moments enjoying each other's company.

"How is your grandfather doing?" Maddie asked. "I've been meaning to stop by and see him."

"He's doing a lot better," Ethan replied. "Saffy's been home to visit him every weekend and everyone else is keeping him company during the week. He has to use a cane to walk around now though, which he hates."

"Will he have to do that for very long?" Maddie asked.

"Most likely," Ethan said. "He was in a wheelchair at first and he hated that even more."

"That can't be very easy for him," Maddie said thoughtfully. "I've always known your grandfather to be such an active man; always on the go, you know?"

"It's been hard for all of us to see him this way, but better he's walking around with a cane than something worse," Ethan said.

"Right," Maddie said nodding. "And how about Saffy? How's she doing with all this?"

"She's fine, especially since my dad worked it out so she could come home every weekend to help our grandfather out," Ethan smiled. "She loves to be needed."

"I'm sure your grandpa likes that," Maddie said. "I know how close they are."

"It's good to see her more often too," Ethan replied as they approached the Weasley home.

"And I know she loves that," Maddie said leading her boyfriend up the walkway.

"Aye," Ethan smiled at her. "She told me you're not around often enough."

"I know," she said guiltily. "I'm not around enough for anyone these days."

"She made me promise to invite you over for dinner next weekend," Ethan said as they stood in front of her door.

"I promise I will be there," she vowed.

"I should let you spend some time with your parents," Ethan said, not wanting to leave her at all.

"Are you sure?" she asked. "It's just that they're going to be gone for Mum's book tour..."

"I understand," Ethan said. "We'll do something together tomorrow night... unless you have to work again."

"I'll let you know," Maddie said not wanting to promise him anything. Smythe might spring something new on her tonight and she'd hate to disappoint her boyfriend again.

"It'll ease up soon," Ethan touched her cheek.

"I hope so," Maddie said leaning in to kiss him good night.

"Love you," Ethan said quietly when they pulled apart.

"Love you," she whispered before going inside.

*** *** ***

Jon gave his baby daughter his most goofy face as he set her down on the changing table.

"You were supposed to save the gross stuff for your Aunt Frankie," he teased as Emma just looked sweetly up at her father.

"Jon did you pack--" Allison called.

"Yes I packed my dress trousers," Jon shouted back.

"What about your---" Allison called out again.

"Yes my dress shirt too," Jon made another face at Emma. "Maybe I should stick your dirty nappy in there for your mum."

Allison walked into the nursery. "I heard that."

He grinned at her. "I meant for you to."

Allison mussed his hair. "Very funny Jon."

"When's Frankie getting here?" he asked.

"About half an hour," Allison replied. "You still think this is a good idea? Leaving the girls with her?"

"She's your sister," Jon pointed out.

"I know," Allison said. "But she's never been alone with them for an entire weekend. I'm just apprehensive is all."

"If worse comes to worse she knows how to get a hold of us," Jon said reassuringly. "Besides, Ethan said he would be around if she needed his help with anything."

Allison nodded. "You're right."

She sat down in the rocking chair as Jon finished changing Emma. Despite her apprehension at leaving her daughters, she was really looking forward to some alone time with her husband.

"Mummy when is Aunt Frankie coming?" Caroline ran into the nursery.

"Soon baby," Allison said as Caroline sat in her lap. "And you're going to be a really good girl and help her, right?"

Caroline nodded eagerly. "I can't wait!"

"Can't wait to get rid of your Mummy and Daddy eh Angel Girl?" Jon asked over his shoulder.

"Aunt Frankie will help me with Mummy's birthday present!" Caroline bubbled excitedly.

"I can't wait to see what my big surprise is," Allison said putting her arms around her daughter.

“You’re going to love it Mummy,” Caroline said. “But you don’t get it until you come back!”

"You always give the best presents," Allison said tickling Caroline's side.

"I know," the little girl giggled uncontrollably.

"We'll need to remind Frankie that Em is teething now," Jon said as he picked the baby up from the dressing table.

"And therefore crying a lot," Allison said. "I put all her teething rings in the icebox about two hours ago."

Jon lifted Emma over his head and made a goofy face which caused her to laugh. "You're not going to cry a lot are you? Not for Auntie Frankie, right? You're going to be a good little girl."

"I'll help her be a good girl Daddy," Caroline said.

"Just make sure you don't yell at her anymore," Allison cautioned.

"Mummy that was a long time ago," Caroline put her little hands on her hips. "I don't do that anymore!"

"I know, I know," Allison said grinning at her. "I was just reminding you baby. That's all."

"I left some of that salve that we put on her gums out in the kitchen," Jon carried Emma out of the small nursery.

"I am very impressed," Allison said taking Caroline's hand and following her husband. "You remembered that. You remembered to pack your dress trousers and shirt..."

"My wife has been a good influence on me," Jon said mischievously.

"Well she's had over 12 years experience," Allison pointed out. "And she has known you since she was Emma's age."

"But I didn't get to bathe with my wife like Josh did with his," Jon said, causing Allison to hit him on the arm.

"Jonathan," Allison said. "Remember the c-h-i-l-d-r-e-n."

Jon glanced at his older daughter who smiled back at him innocently. "How come Uncle Josh took a bath with Aunt Lizzy?"

Allison glared at her husband. Caroline didn't miss a trick. "Um, well...when we were all little kids, we used to go down to Brighton like we did last summer. And well, your grandma and Lizzy's mum used to give them baths at the same time. That's all."

"Does that mean that Uncle Ethan and Aunt Maddie take baths together too?" Caroline asked. "Like when I take a bath with Max sometimes?"

"N-no," Allison sputtered. "Of course not, Caroline."

Jon had a disgusted look on his face at the suggestion. "I don't even want to think about my baby sister...."

"Hang on a minute," Allison said looking at her husband. "When does Caroline take baths with Max?"

"Uh," Jon began. "Well you uh remember--"

"Hello?" Frankie's voice came from the sitting room. "Allie? I'm here!"

"Auntie Frankie!" Caroline screamed out excitedly running to greet her aunt.

"We'll talk more about this on the way to Yorkshire," Allison said winking at her husband.

"Can't wait," Jon muttered.

Allison walked into the sitting room to greet her younger sister and noticed that she had two large suitcases with her. "Frankie? You're only going to be here for the weekend..."

"Yes but you never know who might stop by," Frankie grinned.

Allison folded her arms. "Who might be stopping by, Francesca?"

"If Will happens to get back from seeing his parents he said he might drop on by for dinner," Frankie said. "I promise to be good Allie."

A new surge of doubts swam into her mind, but Allison didn't voice them. She just hoped that her sister kept that promise. The last thing she wanted to do was come home to have to explain to her oldest daughter why some strange bloke slept over.

"Well, um," Allison said instead. "I should probably go over some things with you about the girls."

"Okay," Frankie said as Jon passed Emma over to her. "Shoot."

Allison sat down on the sofa. "Well Caroline usually goes to sleep around eight or so. She likes you to read to her, but usually she ends up reading to you instead..."

"Okay," Frankie smiled at Caroline who was bouncing excitedly on the sofa.

"You're welcome to order some takeaway for dinner," Allison continued. "There's some cereal and milk and fruit for breakfast. Jon went to the shops this morning and loaded up for you. And for lunch, we have bread and some turkey and such if you wanted to make sandwiches."

"Sounds good to me," Frankie replied. "What about that dog of yours- Mark?"

"Max," Jon corrected. "And he's not too much trouble, Frankie."

"I'll help you with him Aunt Frankie," Caroline said, plopping down next to her aunt.

"She's really good with him," Allison said. "She feeds him and gets him fresh water so you won't have to worry too much about that. But you will have to let him out every now and again...he'll let you know when he has to go."

Frankie nodded again. "Ethan owled me and said he would be around and about if I needed him but I don't think I will, right Caroline?"

"You're going to do good," Caroline said nodding.

For the next few minutes, Allison told Frankie about Emma's teething and about her sleep and feeding schedule.

"And I think that's about it," Allison said looking to Jon who nodded.

"And I've got the name of the place you're going to be, so if I need to find you guys I can," Frankie finished.

"We really appreciate this," Allison said.

"She comes through for us again," Jon said grinning at his sister-in-law. "Caroline, did you know that your Aunt Frankie helped me and your mum out way back when?"

"You did?" Caroline asked.

"I did," Frankie said proudly. "When your mother and father couldn't see each other, it was me who helped your Dad find a way to come and see her."

"How come you couldn't see each other?" Caroline asked.

"Well, your grandpa was really protective," Allison said. "And he---he didn't like me dating."

"Grandpa Neville didn't like Daddy?" Caroline's eyes were huge. "How could anyone not love Daddy?"

"I know," Jon said with a laugh. "How could anyone not love Daddy?"

"I could probably name a few reasons," Frankie teased.

"We really should go," Jon interjected hastily.

"I want to hear more about this," Caroline said. "Why did Grandpa Neville not like Daddy?"

"I'll tell you later," Frankie winked at her niece.

Caroline clapped her hands together excitedly.

"Just make sure you don't tell her everything," Allison whispered to her sister.

"I already told you I'd be good," Frankie whispered back. "Now go enjoy your anniversary and birthday."

Allison smiled. "Thanks, Frankie. I mean that."

"No problem," Frankie replied. "Now get out of here and let me spend some time with my nieces."

Jon carried their luggage into the sitting room and then gave Caroline a big hug. "We're going to miss you Angel Girl."

"I'll miss you too Daddy," Caroline hugged him back. "Don't forget a present for me!"

"We won't," Jon promised.

Tears welled up in Allison's eyes as she gave her baby daughter a kiss on the forehead. "I told myself not to cry..."

"Allie you're only going to be gone until Sunday afternoon," Frankie rolled her eyes.

"I know," Allison said. "And I've been looking forward to this for weeks. It's just hard to say goodbye, that's all."

"We'll be okay Mummy," Caroline promised.

"I know you will," Allison said giving Caroline a hug and kiss. "Be good for Aunt Frankie, okay?"

"Okay," Caroline smiled.

"Come on Allie," Jon said gently. "We should get going."

"Okay," Allison said reluctantly as Frankie made Emma wave her little hand at them.

"Say bye to Mummy," Frankie whispered.

"Bye Mummy!" Caroline called out spiritedly as her parents disappeared through the Floo network. "Bye Daddy!"

"I thought they'd never leave," Frankie joked. She looked down at the baby wondering what they could do now. "So what do you two ladies want to do first?"

"Can we watch a movie?" Caroline asked. "No- I want to have some popcorn!"

"We can do both," Frankie suggested. "I just hope it's not all buttery. That's loaded in calories."

"What are calories?" Caroline asked.

"Nothing you'll have to worry about for quite some time," Frankie answered. "So what movie do you want to watch?"

"The Lion King!" Caroline shouted. "It's my favourite!"

"I know that one!" Frankie said nodding. "I watched that when I was a little girl."

"Grandpa gave it to me," Caroline bubbled. "It's my most favourite!"

Frankie smiled. "Well let me put your sister down in the nursery and we can watch it."

"Okay," Caroline said agreeably. "Me and Max can wait on the sofa."

Frankie hummed a happy tune as she carried the baby back to the nursery. This babysitting thing was going to be a breeze, she thought.

*** *** ***

Saffron could barely keep her eyes open as she finished her essay for her Charms class. She was bound and determined to keep her marks up so she could continue going home every weekend to help her grandfather.

Deciding that one essay was enough for that evening, Saffron packed her books into her bag and stacked the rest of them for Madam Pince to reshelve.

"You going back to the common room?" her best friend Alexa asked.

"Yeah," Saffron yawned. "I'm really knackered."

"I'd come with but I really need to finish this," Alexa said looking up from her own essay. "I can't write nearly as well as you."

"I'd help you with it but I can't even keep my eyes open," Saffron said apologetically. "I'll look over it for you tomorrow if you want, during breakfast."

"Thanks Saffy," Alexa said gratefully. "I'll be upstairs soon. I promise."

"See you later," Saffron waved and left the library, humming a little tune to keep herself awake as she plodded back to her dormitory.

"Well, well, well," a boy's voice called out from behind. Saffron slowly turned around and saw it was that horrible Nigel McDonald, a Slytherin prefect and one of Snape's favourite students.

"What do you want?" she asked rudely, rolling her eyes.

"Mind your attitude Potter," Nigel said icily. "Just because you're the Minister's daughter that doesn't hold any weight with me. I am still a school prefect."

"I don't care what or who you are," Saffron turned to walk away when he grabbed her arm. "Hey let me go!"

"I said for you to mind your attitude Potter," he growled. "No one's going to come to your defence this time. I've had about enough of you and the special treatment you get. Getting to go home on weekends. Having your marks overturned..."

"That's none of your business," Saffron said. "And I'm not scared of you Nigel."

Nigel tightened his grip on her arm. "Someone ought to really teach you a lesson..."

"Well it's not going to be you," R.J. interjected coming up behind them. "Let her go, McDonald. Now."

"Weasel," Nigel scowled at him.

"I said let her go," R.J. said firmly.

"What are you going to do if I don't?" Nigel sneered, giving Saffron's arm one more yank before dropping it.

"You don't really want to find out," R.J. said glaring at Nigel before tending to Saffron. "You okay?"

"I'm fine," Saffron said. "Bloody wanker."

"I am a prefect," Nigel reminded her. "You can't talk to me like that. I don't care what your bloody name is."

"I'm sure Dumbledore would love to know how you're abusing the privilege he gave you," R.J. returned coolly. "Beat it Nigel- and I don't care if you're a prefect or not."

"I'll go for now," Nigel said. "But I'm going to be watching you both. You can count on that." With that, he turned on his heels and quickly walked away.

"Are you sure you're okay Saf?" R.J. asked.

"I'm fine," Saffron inspected her arm. "I hope I don't have a bruise. He has a really tight grip."

"What was he on about this time?" R.J. asked.

"He thinks I'm getting special treatment because I get to go home every weekend," Saffron replied as R.J. courteously took her bag. "I guess he doesn't know that I'm working for it by keeping my marks up."

"How is your grandfather doing?" R.J. asked. "Getting any better?"

Saffron nodded happily. "He's walking around now, but with a cane. We're so glad just to have him out of the wheelchair."

"That's good at least," R.J. said. "I just heard from my mum and dad today. You know my mum's latest book was published on Tuesday, right? Well, she's going on this book tour promoting it across the country. "

"How cool," Saffron commented. "You must be really proud of her."

"I am," R.J. said with a smile. They walked up the stairs toward the common room. "Saf? I thought you were going home this weekend. Are you not leaving until tomorrow morning or something?"

"I have to stay this weekend," Saffron frowned. "My mum and dad had to go out of town for work."

"Don't look so glum," R.J. said. "You can keep me company this weekend. You heard about my mates Roger and Brent coming down with the flu, right? They're stuck with Madame Pomfrey all weekend and I am desperate for some company."

"I wish it was a Hogsmeade weekend," Saffron replied.

"So you could buy me some sweets?" he asked with a grin. "Or I know something really awesome from the Quidditch shop. I keep trying to tell you Saf, you don't have to buy my friendship..."

"You wish R.J.," Saffron rolled her eyes but laughed.

"What's the password?" R.J. asked. "I know they just changed it, but I forgot..."

"Buttercup," Saffron spoke and the portrait door swung open.

"I'm glad you said it and not me," R.J. said wincing as they stepped through.

Saffron shook her head. "You boys are so silly about things."

"Come on," R.J. said. "Saffy, the passwords so far this year have been so lame. Buttercup, Periwinkle, Tinkerbell. You know that Melinda Goyle is the prissiest girl on the planet and she keeps coming up with these horrible names just to punish the blokes."

Saffron laughed. "Her mum is my healer so I can't say anything bad about her."

"Fair enough," R.J. said. "I should probably head up to bed. We're still on for chess tomorrow, right? And Exploding Snap if you're up for it."

"Sure," Saffron nodded. "I'm going to sleep in but definitely in the afternoon." she knew he was trying to think of ways to keep her mind off her grandfather and she appreciated it.

"Okay," R.J. said smiling at her. "Sleep well Saffy."

"You too R.J.," Saffron climbed the steps to her dormitory and nearly fell face first into her bed.

40. Chapter 40

A/N: Thank you to all readers who left reviews- we did replies earlier today! We’re glad that some of you are enjoying Frankie- you’ll see more of her babysitting escapades in this chapter, which happens to be quite a long one ;)

As always, please let us know what you think of the chapter when you’re done reading- even just a simple good job makes our day :)

It was a week after Ethan finished his training and was officially an Auror, he and Maddie managed an evening off and were in a rather posh Muggle restaurant, celebrating.

"I think we're the youngest people here," Maddie whispered over her menu.

"Probably," Ethan said with a grin. "But it's a nice place."

"I wouldn't mind if we were in a pub," Maddie said grinning back at him. "As long as I was with you, I'd be happy."

"Yeah but this is a special occasion," Ethan said as a waiter deposited a silver bucket with ice and a bottle snuggled inside of it next to their table. He nodded to the man. "I got us some champagne while you were in the loo."

"Champagne?" she asked teasingly. "You'd think we'd have something to celebrate, wouldn't you?"

"Oh we do Maddie Molly," Ethan teased.

She giggled. "I have a confession to make. The only time I ever had champagne was when I visited Drew and Darla during summer hols. I only had a couple of sips though."

"This is really good stuff," Ethan said as they were each poured a glass. "At least that's what the waiter said when I asked him what the best was," he confessed when the man had left them.

"Oh, your secret is out," Maddie said. "And here I thought you were Mr. Smooth."

"You mean you don't think that anyway?" Ethan gave her a puppy dog pout.

Maddie laughed. "Sometimes yes, sometimes no."

Ethan nudged her foot under the table with his. "I'm going to change your mind so that it's 'Always yes'."

"Taking me to a place like this is a great start," she said softly before taking a sip of her champagne. "Oooh...that's really good."

"It's called Cristal," Ethan read the label. "Bloody expensive stuff but we don't do this often enough. So I'm splurging tonight."

Maddie couldn't stop herself from smiling. She was so proud of Ethan and was so happy that they were here together. It was amazing to think that her little girl crush had grown into something like this.

"You're right," she said softly. "This is a new beginning of sorts...it's the end of your training, but it's the beginning of a whole new life for you..."

"Us," Ethan corrected, taking her hand.

"For us," Maddie agreed. "For us..."

"What time do you have to go in tomorrow?" Ethan asked. "Providing of course, you don't have a vision tonight?"

"Smythe gave me the day off tomorrow," she said with a grin. "So I'm all yours."

Ethan smiled. "I like that," he leaned over and gave her a kiss. "I like that very, very much."

Maddie opened her mouth to say something else, but the waiter returned to take their order. Maddie let go of Ethan's hand and picked up her menu again.

"I want to have something I've never had before," she said looking thoughtfully at the menu.

"Okay," Ethan said. "Order whatever you like."

Maddie grinned. "I think we can rule out the Cornish game hen..."

Ethan laughed. "Remember when we were kids and your parents told that waitress you had a Cornish game hen as a pet?"

"I thought you wouldn't have remembered that! My mum was quick on her feet though..." Maddie said her voice trailing off as she giggled.

"She had to be, with your dad," Ethan grinned as he ordered coq au vin for himself.

"I'll have the same as the gentleman," Maddie said with a wink at Ethan as she handed her menu back to the waiter.

"Very good choice madam," the waiter nodded respectfully and left the two of them.

"More?" Ethan lifted the bottle out of the bucket.

"Yes please," Maddie said handing him her glass. "It's really quite good."

"Glad you approve," Ethan teased.

"We should toast," Maddie said watching as Ethan filled her glass. "And I know just the thing to say, too."

"All right then," Ethan lifted his. "What to, Maddie Molly?"

Maddie felt a little light headed already from the champagne. "Okay," she said with a giggle. "This is one my dad taught me when I was really little. It's an old Muggle toast that he picked up from my Grandpa. Are you ready, Ethan?"

"I'm ready," Ethan said with a grin, her laughter infectious.

Maddie raised her glass. "I'm trying to remember it correctly...okay...okay....'Here's to those who wish us well and to those who don't...'"

Ethan's eyebrow rose. "What?" he asked with a laugh.

"...they can go to hell," Maddie whispered clinking glasses with him before giggling again. "That's my dad's favourite one!"

Ethan laughed harder. "I like that one," he said as he drank.

"I like that one too," Maddie said feeling so relaxed and happy. She put her glass down and reached for Ethan's hand. "I'm really proud of you, Ethan. Really, really proud."

"Thanks," Ethan said. "How about a congratulatory kiss?"

"You've had about four of those already tonight," she teased but leaned across the table anyway. "But who's counting?"

"Not me," Ethan said softly as she drew closer.

Maddie brushed her lips lightly against his wishing that they were back at his flat so she could kiss him properly.

Ethan knew his girlfriend was shy about showing affection in public so he kept the kiss chaste.

"You have really nice lips," she said dreamily when they pulled apart. "Really soft..."

Ethan laughed. "Not necessarily what every guy wants to hear..."

"It's a good thing," Maddie said beaming at him. "A really good thing."

"I'll take your word for it," Ethan replied.

Maddie drained the rest of her glass. "So what happens now? Will you still get to work with your dad? Or do you get a new partner?"

"I'll get partnered with someone closer to my ranking," Ethan said, pouring her some more champagne.

"Any preferences?" she asked.

"Not really," Ethan said. "I just hope it's not some wanker who's wormed his way into the program. But I suppose by this point they'll have weeded out all the rejects."

"And you learned loads from your dad," Maddie said. "Maybe someday, you two can work together again."

"Maybe," Ethan said. "But tonight let's talk about us."

"Okay," Maddie said softly.

"So are you staying over tonight?" Ethan asked.

"Staying over?" Maddie asked pretending to think this over. "I suppose I could be persuaded..."

"Well why don't you have a few more glasses of this," Ethan said mischievously.

Maddie wondered if perhaps she should stop while she was ahead, but she was feeling so warm and happy and relaxed. After all, they were celebrating and another glass or two wouldn't hurt.

"Why Mr. Smooth, I think you're trying to get me pissed," she said holding out her glass.

"It's not really taking much is it?" Ethan asked smugly.

Maddie giggled and shook her head. "No, not much at all."

"Well," Ethan said. "In that case why don't we order another bottle?" he grinned teasingly.

Maddie looked worried for a moment. "Are you sure? It is rather expensive, isn't it?"

"Yeah but we don't have to order the same one," Ethan replied. "Let's finish this one first."

"We're nearly there," Maddie said looking pointedly at the bottle.

Ethan laughed. "All right," he said. "This is a celebration and I already told you I'm splurging."

Maddie looked adoringly across the table at her boyfriend. "I feel all tingly..."

Ethan laughed harder. "You're a little pissed."

Maddie could only giggle as she picked up her glass again.

Ethan shook his head as she downed it quickly. He knew she didn't drink, so he wanted to make sure she took it slow- and he also hoped their meals would be out soon as having some food in her stomach would help settle the alcohol.

Luckily, they didn't have to wait too long as the waiter brought out their entrees. "Oooh it looks so yummy," she said smiling at the waiter as he set the plate down in front of her.

"Excellent choice miss," the waiter said politely.

Maddie touched his arm. "Thank you soooo much for bringing it to us so quickly. I'm glad it's not a Cornish pixie...people shouldn't eat them, you know?"

"I beg your pardon?" the waiter asked.

"She's just joking around," Ethan said quickly. "We used to call the game hens pixies when we were younger."

Maddie giggled. "I'm a pretty, but evil princess too! Isn't that right, Ethan?"

"That's right Mads," Ethan said.

"Can I get you anything else?" the waiter asked turning his attention to Ethan.

"I had a crown," Maddie said before Ethan could answer. "It was all sparkly."

"We're fine, thank you." Ethan said, deciding that they'd nix the champagne here and perhaps pick something up at the shops on the way home.

"Enjoy your meal," the waiter said before leaving them to it.

"You've drank as much of this stuff as me and you're nowhere near as pissed as me," Maddie said picking up her knife and fork to cut her food.

"I've got a bit more tolerance than you," Ethan chuckled. "Mads you're a sloppy drunk."

"I'm not slop...," she started to say as some vegetables she was trying to cut into fell off her plate. "Oops!"

"Mads," Ethan tried not to laugh. "You're cut off until we leave."

"Okay," Maddie said with a giggle. "Okay, okay..."

"Okay," Ethan sent an apologetic look to the older couple seated behind him and Maddie.

Eating seemed to help Maddie settle down somewhat but she still felt quite light headed. When the waiter asked if they wanted some dessert, she was happy when Ethan asked if they could get something to take out with them. She couldn't wait to be alone with him.

"Let's get something really rich and chocolaty," she said to her boyfriend.

"Pick out whatever you like," Ethan smiled at her. "And we'll stop by that little shop by my flat and get another bottle of champagne to have with it if you like."

Maddie finally decided on chocolate chip cheesecake and they waited for the waiter to bring it out to them.

"You going to be okay?" Ethan asked, amused.

"I'm fabulous," Maddie said softly.

"Not too pissed now?" he smiled.

Maddie shook her head. "I'm ready to be alone with you."

"I'm always ready for that," Ethan reached for her hand and squeezed it.

Maddie smiled. "I love you."

"I love you too," Ethan gave her a gentle kiss.

"Excuse me," the waiter said tapping Ethan on the shoulder. "Here's your dessert, sir."

"Thank you," Ethan said, handing the man the bill with the quid. "We appreciate it."

"Thank you," Maddie chimed in winking at the waiter. "And remember; don't let them eat anymore Cornish pixies, okay?"

"Mads I'm sure he knows," Ethan said hastily.

"Okay," Maddie said giving the waiter a little wave as Ethan gently led her out of the restaurant.

They stopped at a little corner store and picked up some more champagne and then got back to Ethan's little flat. "Home again," he said, giving her a little nudge.

Maddie laughed and kicked off her shoes before plopping down on his sofa.

"Make yourself at home," he teased.

"Come and join me," she said patting the empty space beside her.

"Want some of this?" he held up the bottle.

"Yes please," she said with twinkling eyes. "Get some plates too for our cheesecake!"

"All right," Ethan was amused as he brought everything into the sitting room.

While Ethan poured them each a glass of champagne, Maddie doled out two slices of cheesecake for them.

"Here you go," she said setting a plate on his lap.

"Thank you," Ethan said with a kiss.

"Mmmm," Maddie said pulling reluctantly away. "Better than cheesecake."

"You taste good," Ethan stroked her cheek, his cake forgotten as he set it on the coffee table.

"Do I?" Maddie asked with a grin. She pulled him closer. "You were way too far away..."

"Was I?" Ethan murmured, brushing his lips over her neck.

She took a sip of her champagne as he moved his mouth down over her skin. "God Mads, you feel amazing."

Maddie could felt that warm, tingly feeling rise in her all over again at his touch. "Ethan..."

"Hmm?" he mumbled, his eyes closed as he daringly flicked his tongue over her skin.

"Nothing," Maddie said softly. "Just keep doing that."

Ethan worked his way up over her chin to her lips, which were sweetened by the champagne and the small bit of cheesecake she had managed to consume before they'd started snogging. "I'm so glad we're together tonight," he said huskily.

"Me too," Maddie agreed, starting to unbutton his shirt. Her inhibitions were gone and although she knew this was going against her promise to wait, she couldn't help herself. This felt too good to stop.

Ethan hungrily plundered her mouth as his hands ran their way through her hair, which he'd already loosened. The wavy strands slid like silk through his fingers as she pulled his shirt down.

"Ethan?" Maddie asked in a whisper. "I...I think we should..."

"What?" Ethan asked.

"Let's not wait anymore," she said grinning up at him.

"What?" he asked again, startled. "Mads..."

Maddie giggled. "You look so serious. Come on, Mr. Smooth..."

"Mads it was your choice to wait," Ethan said as she leaned in and kissed him again.

"And it's my choice to not wait," Maddie said nibbling at his ear.

"Mads," Ethan groaned as she pushed him down onto the sofa.

Maddie straddled him. "I feel like the room is spinning, don't you? Like everything's all tingly and sparkly and...happy."

"Yeah really happy," Ethan choked out, unable to say he wasn't enjoying this.

Maddie giggled. "Princess Cruella is finally going to have her way with the mean old knight..."

"Whoa," Ethan's eyes opened wide as she actually touched him through his trousers.

"The Holy Grail," she said laughing. "At last!"

“Maddie!” Ethan’s head fell back onto the arm of the sofa as he gasped. “Oh Merlin…”

“That feels good doesn’t it?” she leaned down, her hair falling over them like a curtain. “I know you’ve been wanting this. I have too.”

“I do but—“ his words were cut off as Maddie’s mouth crashed back onto his.

She giggled as she reached down and tried to work her hands into his trousers.

"Maddie," Ethan caught her fingers. "Come on--"

"Come on where?" Maddie teased.

"You don't want this," Ethan tried to say- his head being the rational part while his libido was screaming otherwise.

"I do," Maddie said mussing his hair. "I do want this very, very, very...Oooh....I...I don't feel too good..."

"Uh oh," Ethan said, grabbing her arm and rushing her into the loo.

Nearly a half hour later, Ethan carried Maddie into the bedroom. Her face was quite pale.

"Ethan," she said weakly putting her arms around his neck. "I'm so sorry for ruining our night."

"It's all right," he said, brushing a pale strand of hair off her sweaty forehead. "I shouldn't have boozed you up so much."

Maddie felt so embarrassed. She couldn't imagine what it must have been like for Ethan to watch her get pissed like that and then to have the evening conclude with him holding her hair back while she threw up. "I'm never drinking anything other than pumpkin juice ever again."

He smiled. "Want some water?"

Maddie nodded. "Thanks."

He got her a bottle of water from his icebox, and on his way back into the bedroom dumped the rest of the champagne into the sink. "I really should have made sure you didn't drink so much. I was just sort of caught up in the fact that we were finally able to spend an evening together, alone." Ethan unscrewed the top and handed it to her. "Drink that slowly." he advised.

Maddie did as he requested and sank leaned back against the pillows. "I should have stopped at one glass. It's not your fault, Ethan. It's mine."

"Well you'll stay here tonight," he said firmly. "And tomorrow morning you'll be right as rain."

"I hope so," Maddie said before taking another sip of water. "You...you won't tell anyone about how pissed I got will you? I'd never hear the end of it from my brothers and sisters."

"It'll be our secret Maddie Molly." Ethan promised.

Maddie took another sip of her water and then handed the bottle to Ethan. "I'm really sleepy."

"Go to sleep then," Ethan kissed her forehead. "I'll crash on the sofa."

"Stay here," Maddie said grabbing his arm. "Please?"

"Are you sure?" Ethan asked, already pulling back the covers.

Maddie nodded and smiled weakly at him.

"Here," Ethan pulled a t shirt out of his drawer. "You can't be comfortable in that."

"Not really," Maddie said sitting up as best she could. She felt weak and struggled to get out of her dress.

"Do you uh... need some help?" Ethan swallowed.

Maddie looked helplessly at him. "I'm just so sleepy..."

"Well you just booted up half your stomach too," Ethan tried to make a joke. "I promise not to look." he reached for her clothing.

"Okay," Maddie said softly her eyes still closed.

He gulped as he reached down to pull her dress over her head, and he tried to avert his eyes from her lithe body.

"Your hands are kind of cold," Maddie whispered.

"Sorry," Ethan replied softly.

"It's okay," she said sleepily. "I don't mind."

At that moment Ethan wanted nothing more than to pull all her clothes off and snog her until they were sweaty and panting under the blankets but he restrained himself. Carefully, he peeled the dress away and drew the shirt back down over her head.

"Much...better," she said lying back down.

"Good," Ethan pulled her hair out of the collar.

"I'm going to go to sleep now," she whispered turning on her side. "Good night Ethan."

"All right," Ethan slid on the other side and leaned over to kiss her cheek. "You'll feel a lot better in the morning."

Maddie drifted off to sleep thinking her boyfriend was right. She would feel much, much better in the morning.

But to her dismay the next morning when she awoke, she felt terrible. Her head was pounding and she had a terrible taste in her mouth. Not to mention the fact that she was in Ethan's room and she had no idea how she'd gotten there.

Ethan had been lying awake for a few minutes already and he heard her mumble something unintelligible. "Mads?" he asked softly.

Maddie tried to sit up but the light from the window hurt her eyes and she winced. "Don't talk so loud," she finally managed to say. "My head..."

"Sorry," he whispered.

Maddie brought her hand to her throbbing temple and tried to remember what had transpired last night. Out of the corner of her eye, she could see a bare-chested Ethan looking sympathetically at her.

"Ethan?" she asked weakly. "We didn't..."

He fidgeted a bit with the blanket. "Well, no, not really..."

"Not really?" Maddie asked turning to face him. "What do you mean not really?"

"Well you sort of wanted to," Ethan said. "But we didn't."

"Why?" Maddie asked. "What did we..."

Her voice trailed off as the events of last night slowly came back to her. There was the posh restaurant...the champagne...coming back to his flat...

She grabbed the blanket and threw it over her head, unable to look at Ethan.

"Maddie," Ethan tried to tug it away.

"I'm not coming out," Maddie said stubbornly. "Not ever."

"Come on," Ethan tried not to laugh. "Everyone gets a bit goofy when they're pissed."

"A bit goofy?" Maddie said her voice muddled under the blanket. "I was positively horrid. I tried to...I tried to...I can't even bring myself to say it!"

"Mads," Ethan finally pulled the blanket away and was startled to see tears in her eyes. "Maddie come on, I wouldn't have let that happen."

Maddie sniffed. "And you held my hair back while I was sick...I'm so embarrassed Ethan. I wouldn't blame you if you never wanted to see me again..."

"Don't be ridiculous," he replied.

"How terrible was I last night?" she asked him quietly. "And be completely honest."

"You were amorous," Ethan tucked a stray hair behind her ear. "And I won’t lie and say I didn't enjoy it..."

Maddie looked up at him wide-eyed. "I shouldn't have drunk as much as I did."

"Probably not," Ethan agreed ruefully. "I shouldn't have kept giving it to you either."

"It's not your fault Ethan," she said softly. "It was mine. I should have said no."

He shook his head. "I'll be more careful next time... providing there is one." he smiled at her.

"There will be," Maddie said smiling back at him. "But next time with pumpkin juice or butterbeer or soda, not champagne."

"Right," Ethan stroked her cheek. "How about for now, we get you a nice headache cure and then some breakfast?"

"That'd be lovely," Maddie said. "And a nice long bath."

"You can do that while I figure out if I have any food that's still edible," Ethan said with a grin.

"Okay," Maddie said with a laugh. She pulled back the blanket and struggled to get out of bed.

"Headache cure first," Ethan grabbed his wand.

Maddie nodded. "Good idea."

He used his wand, glad that they weren't Muggles and didn't have to rely on things like aspirin.

"If I didn't love you before, I sure love you now," she said feeling her headache wane.

"You mean you didn't love me before?" Ethan gave her the puppy dog stare.

Maddie hit him on the arm. "You know what I mean, you goofball."

"I may need a little bit of reassuring now," Ethan pretended to be hurt.

Maddie wanted to kiss him, but knew that wouldn't be a good idea. She couldn't imagine what her breath must smell like.

"After my bath I promise to reassure you more than a little bit," she promised.

"Promise?" he repeated.

"Promise," Maddie said giving him a hug.

He kissed the side of her head and she went off towards the bathroom.

As Maddie took her bath, Ethan decided to clean up the sitting room, throwing out their barely touched cheesecake and champagne.

He found some edible bread and decided to make her some toast to see how her stomach reacted, and if she could keep food down, he'd take her out for something decent.

There was a knock at his door and Ethan wondered who would be stopping by so early. It was a weekend and he wasn't expecting anyone.

"Open up, Ethan!" a voice he recognised as his little sister's called out. "We know you're in there!"

"Saffy?" he opened the door a crack. "What are you doing up before noon?"

"Gran and Grandpa are downstairs," Saffron said looking quizzically at her brother. "We wanted to take you to breakfast to celebrate the end of your training."

"Uh..." Ethan looked back into his flat. "Perhaps that's not such a great idea..."

"Why not?" Saffron asked folding her arms. "I came home this weekend especially for you, you know. And you blew all of us off last night to go out with Maddie."

"Saffy we haven't had a night together in ages," Ethan pointed out, recognising that his baby sister was about to have a fit.

"I know," Saffron said frowning at him. "But...will you let me in the bloody door? It's hard talking to you with you looking out of it like that!"

"It's not a good time," Ethan repeated.

Saffron opened her mouth to protest, but was cut off by the sound of her grandmother.

"Robert," Elinore was saying as she followed Robert up the stairs. "This is insane. You were just in hospital a few months ago. You shouldn't be climbing up these stairs!"

"Ease up, Ellie," Robert told her. "It's just one flight."

"Grandpa!" Ethan said, still peeking around the door.

"There's my grandson," Robert said, a little winded from the walk.

Saffron beamed at Robert. "You did it Grandpa!"

"Yes I did Saffy," Robert said.

"He should really sit down," Elinore said, worried at her husband's ashen expression.

"Ellie," Robert said grinning at her. "I'm okay..."

"He's fine Gran," Saffron said. "We've been practising, haven't we Grandpa?"

"That's right dear, once around the block twice a day on weekends you're home." Robert said, leaning on his cane.

"I still think he should sit down," Elinore said.

"That might be a good idea," Saffron said. "We can get you some water while we wait for Ethan to get dressed." She turned back around to see her brother still peering out of the door. "If he lets us in, that is."

"Okay," Ethan said, figuring he was in his boxers and he was now glad he'd thrown on a shirt before leaving the room. "But uh... I guess you guys should know that uh..."

"Ethan can I borrow your comb?" Maddie walked into the hallway, her hand tangled in her long wet hair. "I didn't have mine... oh." she stopped.

Saffron stared open mouthed at Maddie who was clad only in a towel.

Maddie made a little noise and ran back into the bathroom as Ethan put his face in his hands. "Well come on in," he opened the door completely.

Saffron giggled as she walked into her brother's flat followed by Elinore and Robert who winked at his grandson.

"Can you lot give us a few minutes to get ready?" Ethan asked as he showed them into the sitting room. "And before you ask Saffy, NO we didn't."

Saffron glared at him. "I wasn't going to ask..."

"Keep it that way," Ethan went back into his bedroom to get dressed.

"I didn't know they were there," Maddie apologised the moment Ethan came back into the bedroom. "What must they think?"

"It'll be all right," Ethan said, still recovering from his own embarrassment.

"What are they doing here?" Maddie asked.

"They want to take me... well us, out for breakfast to celebrate since the two of us went out last night." Ethan said, yanking a pair of jeans from his dresser.

"And I thought I couldn't be more embarrassed," Maddie said grabbing her dress from the floor.

"It'll be okay," Ethan finally managed a smile at her distress.

"You think so?" Maddie asked hopefully.

"Yeah," Ethan disappeared into the closet to change while she used his bedroom. "But we won't tell them you got pissed."

"Right," Maddie said slipping back into her dress. It was a little wrinkled, but she solved that problem with a flick of her wand.

"There," he smiled at her. "You look just as gorgeous as you did yesterday."

Maddie smiled. "Thanks. You clean up nice too."

"I try," Ethan replied. "You still owe me some reassurance you know, Maddie Molly."

"I do, don't I?" Maddie asked leaning in for a kiss.

"Yes you do," Ethan agreed softly.

Maddie kissed him forgetting for a few moments anyway that his grandparents and little sister were just outside that door.

Ethan kissed her back deeply and pulled her body close. "That... feels..." he opened his eyes a crack when they pulled apart.

"Tingly?" Maddie suggested with a dreamy expression on her face.

"Something like that, yeah," Ethan touched her cheek before kissing her again.

"ETHAN!" Saffron called out impatiently. "We're hungry! Quit snogging Maddie and get out here!"

Robert covered his mouth to stifle his laughter while Elinore turned three shades of red.

"We'll be out in a bloody minute SAFFY!" Ethan hollered back. "Can't a bloke get dressed in peace?"

Maddie put a hand on his arm. "Come on, Ethan."

"We'll pick it back up later," Ethan said.

"Deal," Maddie said taking his hand and following him out of the bedroom.

"Hello Madeline," Elinore said warmly.

"Hi Dr. Granger," Maddie said blushing. "Both Doctor Grangers..."

"How are you dear?" Robert used his cane to struggle to his feet.

"I'm okay," Maddie said smiling at him. "How are you? I've been meaning to visit, really I have..."

"I'm sure you've been busy, what with that... ESP?" Robert asked. "Is that what you have? I'm sorry dear, I can't remember all that stuff about the magical world..."

"It's kind of like that, Dr. Granger," Maddie said. "Don't worry about it. Sometimes I have a hard time keeping up with all the stuff about the magical world."

"Everyone does," Ethan said, chuffing his sister over the head.

"You're going to mess up my plaits," Saffron said laughing.

"Good," Ethan said.

"Tell Ethan your good news, Saffron," Elinore said.

"Oh yeah!" Saffron said. "I get my braces off next month."

"About time!" Ethan grinned at his sister. "I won't be able to call you metal mouth anymore."

"You'll have an even more gorgeous smile than you did before," Maddie said to her.

"Thanks," Saffron said smiling at Maddie.

"Your mother shrunk her teeth when she was about your age," Elinore said shaking her head. "I was so upset with her..."

"But look at the money it saved us," Robert quipped.

Ethan and Saffron laughed at the thought of their mother shrinking her teeth.

"And Lavender used to tease her all the time," Elinore said with a laugh. "Used to call her a rabbit. In fact, I think she still does every now and then..."

"We should probably get to breakfast," Ethan said hastily, knowing what his mother's nickname was really referring to. "I know I'm starved."

"Me too," Saffron chimed in. "I want blueberry pancakes with loads of maple syrup."

"That sounds fabulous," Maddie was hungry too. "Count me in, if you all don't mind of course."

"Of course not," Elinore said warmly. "We'd love for you to join us."

"It'll be nice to catch up with you," Maddie took Robert's arm.

"How's he doing Gran?" Ethan asked in a hushed tone. "I feel bad that I haven't been around as much to check on him."

"He's doing all right dear," Elinore whispered as Saffron and Maddie helped Robert down the stairs. "He has his good days and bad days."

"I can't believe he made it up the stairs like that," Ethan said proudly.

"Yes, and contrary to belief, he doesn't really push things," Elinore gazed fondly at the three people in front of them. "He's been good about taking it easy."

"That's good to hear," Ethan said. "And I know having Saffy around has been a big help."

"More than you know," Elinore confessed. "And your father was so good to come up with the idea of having her home on weekends. It's cheered Robert up immensely."

Ethan looked at his grandmother. "And how about you? How are you holding up?"

Elinore patted her grandson's hand. "Don't you worry about me Ethan. I'm still as strong as ever."

Ethan put an arm around her. "Now that I've finished with training, I'm going to stop by more often Gran. I promise."

"It'll be wonderful to have you around then," Elinore smiled at him. "We're both very proud of you Ethan."

"Thanks Gran," Ethan said.

The group finally reached the bottom of the stairs and they stopped for a few moments so Robert could catch his breath.

"How about we let Ethan drive," Elinore said handing him her car keys. "I hate driving on the motorway."

"We're not too thrilled about it either," Saffron joked.

Ethan shook his head. "You're just mad because you can't drive."

"That may be true, but I can fly circles around you," Saffron shot back. "Even Maddie thinks so."

"Is that true?" Ethan looked at his girlfriend.

"I uh," Maddie stammered. "I might have said something like that..."

"Mads," Ethan was shocked. "My own girlfriend!"

"She is an excellent flyer," Maddie said. "It's so much fun to watch. She has no fear..."

"I don't either," Ethan protested as they all climbed into Robert's auto.

"I wasn't implying that you didn't," Maddie said reassuringly. "I'm just saying that it's good to see a girl who can fly just as well as the boys. Right, Saffy?"

"Sure Maddie," Saffron said mischievously. "Whatever you say."

"Where's your mum and dad?" Maddie asked quick to change the subject. She climbed into the passenger seat alongside Ethan.

"They're home," Saffron replied. "For once. Mum's had a busy week in the office and so she and Dad were just taking it easy."

"And how are your parents, Madeline?" Elinore asked. "We don't get to see them as much as we used to."

"They're fine, thank you." Maddie said. "Mum's new book is a hit and they're reaping the benefits." she giggled.

"I've been meaning to pick up a copy," Elinore said. "Your mother is such a talented writer."

"She really is," Maddie beamed with pride. "I always loved when I was younger and she'd tell me stories as I went to sleep."

"Aunt Luna tells the best stories," Saffron agreed. "Uncle Ron tries but they always end up being about food."

Everyone laughed at that. "That's my dad," Maddie covered her mouth with her hand to try and stop her giggles. "He always thinks with his stomach."

"Maybe that's why he's always putting his foot in his mouth," Robert said teasingly.

Maddie started laughing so hard she was crying and Ethan had to bite his lower lip so he could drive without getting hysterical.

"That's my dad," Maddie said again, still laughing.

"How's this place look?" Ethan motioned to a restaurant just off the motorway.

"Fine," Robert said. "I can watch you lot eat all the good food while I have to have the fruit plate."

"I'll slip you a piece of bacon Grandpa," Saffron whispered to him.

Robert beamed at his granddaughter. "You're too good to me, Saffron Grace."

"Don't tell Gran," Saffron grinned back at her grandfather.

"Our little secret," he said.

Ethan parked the car and smirked at Maddie. "I told you everything would be alright, didn't I?"

"I never said it wouldn't," Maddie reminded him.

"My grandparents still love you," Ethan said winking at her before getting out of the car.

"As long as you do too," Maddie smiled at him as he slid his arm around her. She leaned against his chest as the five of them walked to the door.

*** *** ***

"Keep your eyes closed," Jon told his wife as they walked up the cobblestone pathway to the inn where they'd be staying. Although Allison knew they'd be going to Yorkshire for their weekend away, she had no idea where they'd be staying. He'd meant it to be a surprise and he could hardly wait to see the look on her face when she saw that it was the very place they'd stayed in all those years ago when they'd had their "proper honeymoon".

"They're closed silly," Allison said with a laugh.

"Okay," Jon said. "On the count of three, you can open them. Okay? One. Two. Two and a half..."

Allison opened her eyes and gasped. "Oh Jon this place is adorable!" she hugged her husband. "How did you find it? You know how much I love little places like this one!"

Jon frowned. "Okay, first of all you didn't wait until I said three. And second of all, this place doesn't look familiar to you at all? It doesn't ring any bells for you whatsoever?"

"Of course it does," Allison pulled back to smile at him. "And what I said didn't ring any bells for you?"

Thinking about what she'd said, Jon smiled. "That's what you said when I brought you here last time."

"Mmmhmm..." Allison gave him a kiss.

The inn wasn't the most fancy place in the world and it certainly wasn't the nicest, but it had been all they could afford all those years ago. Their parents had offered to pay for it, but they'd both wanted to prove how they could do it themselves.

"I'm still surprised you didn't leave me on the spot when we pulled up here," Jon remembered touching his wife's cheek. "It certainly isn't the Plaza Hotel. And it certainly isn't the Leaky Cauldron..."

"But I was with you Jon," Allison said, wrapping her arms around him. "And that's all that mattered to me then, and it's all that matters to me now."

Jon grinned. "Well they assured me that this time we won't have to share the bathroom with anyone..."

Allison laughed. "I'm sure it's passed through owners by now. It looks ten times as charming as it did when we first came here."

"Come on then Mrs. Weasley," he said tugging at her hand. "Let's go check in. I'm ready to be alone with my wife."

Allison laughed as he pulled her inside and in no time they were checked in and settling into their little cosy corner room.

Jon set their bags onto the bed while Allison checked out the view. He came up behind her and rested his chin on her shoulder. "Would you listen to that? Peace and quiet."

"It sounds like heaven," Allison said, her eyes closed as she leaned back against him. "I'm so glad we worked this out Jon. I needed to be alone with you so much."

"I know," he whispered wrapping his arms around her waist. "And who would have thought that Frankie would come through for us yet again?"

"It's really nice of her," Allison said. "We'll have to buy her a nice present while we're up here."

"Let's just hope that the girls are behaving for her," Jon said.

"I'm sure they are," Allison turned around. "But for now, Mr. Weasley..."

"You want to go downstairs for afternoon tea?" Jon asked innocently. "Or how about a nice game of chess?"

"Nope," Allison began pushing him back towards the queen bed.

"Why Mrs. Weasley," Jon said falling onto the bed and bringing her down with him. "I'm starting to think you want something from me."

"What do you think?" Allison purred.

"Merlin, I sure hope so," he said before kissing her.

"I can tell that Jon Junior down here wants some attention," Allison turned kittenish as he rolled her up on top of him.

Jon smiled up at his wife. "Very much so."

Allison began to unbutton his shirt. "Well by all means," she said softly. "I don't want to make him wait."

"My Allie," he whispered.

She pushed his red hair out of his eyes before leaning down to press her lips to his. "Always your Allie," she said quietly.

He reached up and touched her cheek. A few months ago, he'd had to face the possibility of life without her. He'd never told her this, but what had happened made him promise to never take her for granted. She and their daughters were the most important people in his life. "I love you," he said softly. "So much..."

"I love you too Jon," Allison said. "I'm so glad we got away together."

"We certainly needed this," Jon said tugging at her jumper.

"I always need time alone with you Jon," Allison said, now beneath him.

Jon smiled down at her before peppering her neck and shoulder with kisses.

Allison closed her eyes as he peeled her bra away, just enjoying the sensations that her husband was able to awaken inside her.

Jon gazed at his wife. It was hard to tell that she'd given birth to two children. "Amazing," he breathed against her skin.

"Hmm?" she whispered.

"You," he said softly. "You're amazing, Al."

"So are you," she smiled up at him.

He kissed her hungrily relishing in the fact that it was just the two of them here. There would be no interruptions.

Allison worked her hand into his trousers, tearing his zipper down.

Allison made quick work of helping him out of his trousers and boxer shorts. "Foreplay's over," she said huskily.

"What's next baby?" Jon asked in a low voice.

"I think you know," she said teasingly. "But if you don't, maybe this will refresh your memory..."

"AL!" Jon muffled his shout.

Allison smiled. "Is it coming back to you now?"

"Coming," Jon grinned.

"Brace yourself," she purred. "I'm not done yet."

"Show me more," Jon said licentiously.

Allison grinned mischievously at him as she inched back up his body. "Mmmmmmm...."

"Al..." Jon was breathless as his wife worked her mouth over his chest. "I don't know if I can hold out much longer..."

"You always were impatient," she teased.

"Sod it you," Jon pulled her close. "You can't wait half the time either."

Allison giggled. "Well having two children like we do, we've had to be pick our moments, haven't we?"

"That's putting it mildly," Jon said.

"This is definitely one of those moments," she whispered in his ear. "And I'm ready whenever you are...."

"I'm always ready for you Al," Jon said huskily.

Allison grinned before leaning down and kissing him thinking for a split second that perhaps they should have set a silencing charm on the room, but at the moment she didn't know or care where her wand was.

It didn't take them long to work themselves back into a frenzy of sheets, arms and legs and were soon enough panting heavily and Allison laid her head on his chest.

"You exhaust me, you know that," Jon teased gently, running his fingers through her hair.

Allison laughed softly. "Are you complaining?"

"Of course not," Jon smirked. "I love how we didn't even waste a minute- got right in our room and right into bed."

"Last time we were here, we stayed in bed the whole time," Allison said softly. She started to laugh. "I keep remembering how you carried me over the threshold and carried me over to the bed and the damn thing collapsed on us...."

Jon laughed too. "Man this place was a bloody dive back then. Thank goodness the new owners have turned it into something much nicer."

"It wasn't that bad," she said. "We certainly made the most of it. And I'd have been fine anywhere as long as I was with you. You know that."

"I do," Jon kissed her. "I know we said we were going out for supper tonight, but what do you say to room service instead?"

"I say that sounds fantastic," she said cuddling against him.

"But first... I say we try out the shower and see if they fixed that." Jon grinned. "Let's hope the nozzle doesn't fall off this time."

"And hopefully that old bloke from Belgium won't barge in on us," Allison said.

"Right," Jon agreed. She started to get out of bed and he put his hand up. "Where do you think you're going?"

"To the shower?" she asked. "What? What's that look for?"

"Mrs. Weasley," Jon drawled. "Your feet aren't going to touch the floor for the rest of the night." he scooped her up.

Allison laughed. "Jon..."

"Don't argue with me," Jon said in a mock stern voice.

"I wouldn't dream of it," she said. "In fact, I think I rather like this..."

"I bet you do," Jon nuzzled her neck as she opened the door to the loo.

They didn't come out of the loo until nearly an hour later.

If only Frankie found it as easy to get Caroline into the bath. Her first hour with the girls had gone quite smoothly. They'd watched the first part of The Lion King, but then Emma's cries interrupted them. When Frankie went to check on the baby, Caroline took the opportunity to get into Frankie's handbag where she promptly doused herself with a full bottle of perfume.

"I used to like this smell," she grumbled as she poured some pink bubble bath under the running faucet.

"I'm not ready to take a bath," Caroline said stubbornly. "I don't take one until after dinner."

"Well you don't normally reek like a field of jasmine before dinner." Frankie pointed out in a patient tone.

"Jasmine?" Caroline said excitedly. "Like in Aladdin?"

"Sure," Frankie had no idea who her niece was talking about.

"Well I want to smell like her!" Caroline said happily. "I don't want to wash it off!"

Frankie sighed. "Caroline..."

"I'm not Caroline," she said brushing her hair over her shoulder. "I'm Jasmine."

"All right Jasmine," Frankie was trying desperately to hang onto her last bit of sanity. "It's time for a bath."

Caroline shook her head and started to walk out of the bathroom thinking she'd sit on the rug in the kitchen and pretend she was going on a magic carpet ride.

"Hold it--" Frankie started to say but then heard her mobile phone going off in her bag. "You stay right where you are Jasmine." she ran out to the sitting room, hoping it was Will on the line.

She clicked on her phone and was relieved to hear Will's familiar voice.

"Frankie," he said with a laugh. "Why do you sound so out of breath?"

"You won't believe what I'm doing right now," she moaned.

"Aunt Frankie," Caroline said tugging on her aunt's shirt, but her aunt only waved her off.

"What are you doing?" he asked huskily.

"Aunt Frankie?" Caroline said worry etched across her face. "You should..."

"Babysitting!" Frankie exclaimed. "Can you believe that I'm here alone with my two nieces?"

Will was silent. He couldn't believe that. "What for a couple of hours?"

"Aunt Frankie," Caroline said urgently.

"No, for the whole weekend," Frankie replied. "What is it Caroline?" she asked, barely masking her impatience.

"You left the water going in the bathtub," Caroline said innocently. "It's flowing over..."

"Shit!" Frankie swore. "I mean... shoot... oh bloody hell!" she ran back to the bathroom.

"YOU SAID A BAD WORD!" Caroline called after her. "TWO bad words."

"Yes I know that!" Frankie turned off the water then grabbed a towel. Luckily there wasn't too much water on the floor and Frankie sighed as she tucked her phone between her shoulder and her ear. "You still there Will?"

"I was about to ask the same of you," Will said laughing. "Are you okay baby?"

"Not really," Frankie replied mournfully. "Well I was fine up until a half hour ago." she told him about how Caroline had gotten into her bag. "And now she says she wants to smell like this Jasmine person and won't take a bath."

"Jasmine?" Will asked confused. It suddenly dawned on him what her niece must be going on about. "Your niece is a Disney fan, eh?"

"Who the hell is Disney?" Frankie asked in a panicked tone. "Someone else she wants to smell like? No one told me I had to know all this stuff just to look after a few kids for the weekend!"

"Frankie," Will said firmly. "Calm down, baby. Disney makes all these Muggle movies. How about you let me talk to your niece? See what I can do?"

"If you think you can help..." Frankie tossed the sopping wet towel into the corner. "I'll give you anything if you can talk some sense into her."

"I'm going to hold you to that," Will said. "I'm going to use my charm. It always works on you."

"Sod off you," Frankie said. "Hey Caroline, will you come here?" she called into the hallway.

Caroline ran into the bathroom. "I'm not taking a bath, Aunt Frankie."

"Just talk on this phone a minute," Frankie thrust it at her. "I need to check on your sister."

"Okay," Caroline said taking the phone and holding it up to her ear. "Yes?"

"Is this Princess Jasmine?" Will asked.

"Yes it is," Caroline said proudly. "Who is this?"

"I'm a good friend of your Aunt's," Will said. "And do you know what she told me?"

"What?" Caroline asked curiously.

"Well, she said that if you take a bath like a good little princess," Will said. "That she'd let you go on a magic carpet ride."

"A magic carpet ride?" Caroline's eyes grew huge and round.

"I know Aladdin won't be with you," Will said grinning into the phone. "But I'm sure your Aunt will make it really fun."

"Okay," Caroline agreed. "I'll take a bath."

Frankie nearly fell off the counter as Caroline handed her back the phone. "How'd you do it?" she demanded him.

Will laughed. "I'm quite charming, Frankie. You know how persuasive I can be. And I sort of promised her that you'd take her on a magic carpet ride. You could probably just levitate a rug or something and give the little girl a ride around the house."

"I can do that," Frankie said.

"I can take a bath by myself," Caroline said to her. "I don't need help- I'm a big girl."

"Of course you are," Frankie appeased her, sliding out and closing the door behind her. "Oh Merlin Will, I owe you so much."

"I'd do anything for you, Frankie," he said honestly.

"Thanks Will," Frankie slid down and sat with her back against the wall. "So how's your weekend with your parents?"

"It's okay," he said. "They were disappointed that they didn't get to meet you. You know you can't keep putting it off, Frankie. They want to meet the girl I'm so crazy about."

"We'll work it out sometime," Frankie promised weakly. She and Will had been dating on and off for the past four years, and this time it seemed a little more serious than before. They were getting together almost every night of the week and while she truly enjoyed being with him, getting close enough to fall in love scared Frankie.

"You say that every time," Will chastised gently. "You know my mum thinks I've made you up."

"Now you're just being silly," Frankie said, her hand over her eyes as she listened to Caroline splash around in the tub.

Will decided not to press her on this further. It had led to a couple of arguments in the past, and he didn't want to ruin how well things were going between them now.

"So things really going that bad with your nieces?" he asked instead.

"Not until just a little while ago." Frankie replied. "We were watching some film with cartoon lions and then Emma started crying so Caroline goes into my purse and spilled all that perfume." she shook her head.

"And you have to do this all weekend?" he asked.

"Yes," Frankie replied. "I must have been mad to say I'd do this. But it was my sister's anniversary and they had no one else so I said I would."

"You're going to be fine," he told her reassuringly. "I'd be there with you if I could sweetheart."

"I know," Frankie toyed with a lock of her hair. "Are you coming back early?"

"I should be back Sunday morning," he said.

"You can come by if you want," Frankie suggested.

"How about I bring breakfast for you and Caroline?" Will suggested. "And I'll bring some of those doughnuts that you say you hate, but I know you love more than life itself."

"That'd be really sweet," Frankie said with a smile. "You're too good to me Will."

"Aunt Frankie!" Caroline called out. "I'm ready to get out!"

"You'd better go," Will said. "And tell Princess Jasmine goodbye for me. Oh, and Frankie?"

"Yeah?" Frankie asked.

"Love you," he said softly.

"Me too," Frankie said quickly. "Bye Will." she clicked off her phone before he could say anything else.

Caroline smiled at her aunt as she came back into the bathroom. "How'd I do?" she asked smiling up at her.

"You smell much, much better," Frankie replied. "Good job Caroline."

"I'm sorry for getting into your perfume," Caroline said softly as Frankie helped her out of the tub and handed her a towel. "You're not really mad are you?"

"No, not really." Frankie smiled down at her. "You're too cute to stay angry at." she pinched the little girl's nose.

"You look more like Princess Jasmine than me," Caroline said reaching out and touching her aunt's raven coloured hair. "I look more like Belle."

"Who's Belle?" Frankie asked.

"From Beauty and the Beast," Caroline said as if her aunt should have known this all along. "Belle has brown hair just like me and Mummy."

"Oh okay," Frankie said. "I remember that story."

"We could watch it later if you want to," Caroline suggested. "It's a really good story. I also have Mulan, Pocahantas, Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty."

Frankie laughed. "Well how about this? If you're good for the rest of the night, then after dinner we'll make popcorn and stay up late and watch one of those movies?"

"Okay," Caroline said giving her aunt a hug. "I'm glad you're here."

Frankie was touched at the comment as she hugged her niece back. "I am too sweetheart," she replied.

"Oooh," Caroline said. "I got you all wet!"

"Yes you did," Frankie laughed. "It's all right, I can use my wand to dry off."

"Will you comb my hair?" Caroline asked. "I don't want it to get tangly."

"All right," Frankie agreed. "Maybe later when we watch movies we can play beauty salon. Your mum told me you like to do that."

"I do," Caroline said excitedly. "I usually have to practise on my dollies but one time I got to put curlers in Daddy's hair. It was so funny!"

Frankie laughed at the thought of Jon Weasley with curlers in his hair. "You didn't happen to get a photograph of that did you?"

Caroline shook her head. "Daddy wouldn't let me."

"That's too bad," Frankie finished combing her niece's hair.

"Who was that on the phone?" Caroline asked. "Was that your boyfriend?"

"You could say that," Frankie replied.

"There's one of your boyfriends that grandpa likes the best," Caroline said thoughtfully. "Was that him?"

"Probably," Frankie led her niece back into the sitting room. "Here's a picture of us." she pulled one out of her bag and showed it to Caroline.

Caroline studied the picture. "He's looking at you like Daddy looks at Mummy."

Frankie shook her head. "No one looks at anyone the way your dad looks at your mum."

Caroline smiled and handed the picture back to her aunt. "Looks that way to me..."

Frankie stuffed the picture back in her bag. "Let's see what your mum and dad have around here for dinner," she suggested, wanting to get the topic off Will. "I've got to get Emma in her little chair while I fix you something."

"Okay," Caroline said. "I'm going to put on my pyjamas."

"Sounds good," Frankie replied, going into Emma's nursery.

The baby was awake and looking up at her mobile when Frankie came into the room.

"Hey you," Frankie smiled. "Not crying this time- that's good." she carefully lifted Emma out of the crib and carried her down into the kitchen where she settled her into her bouncy seat.

Emma cooed happily and Frankie said a silent prayer that things would go smoothly the rest of the night. She was wondering how Allison managed to do this day in and day out without losing her sanity.

41. Chapter 41

Authors' note: Thank you guys for reading! We didn't have a chance to do review replies this time, but we did read them. In this chapter, you will get to see what Nick has been up to and you get to see more of Frankie's Adventure in Babysitting. And for those of you who haven't reviewed, please just take a minute to tell us what you think at the end of the chapter. Pretty please? It only takes a moment and we really appreciate the comments!

"There you go Daddy," Ashley said. "I did your hair all nice!" she beamed at her father.

Nick swivelled around in his chair to get a better look at his daughter's handiwork. And he had to admit it didn't look quite bad.

"What do you think?" she asked biting her bottom lip in anticipation. "I didn't use all the hair gel..."

"Looks fantastic sweetheart," Nick gave her a hug. "You're pretty good at this." he tousled her blonde hair and pinched her cheek.

Ashley grinned broadly and pumped her fist in triumph. She and her younger sister were excited about finally getting to see her father perform. He had agreed at Molly's request to perform at the festival in Ottery St. Catchpole.

"There must be thousands of people out there," Katie said peering out of the door to the makeshift dressing room Nick was using. "I couldn't see Nana though."

"She's probably pretty busy right now," Nick said, disappearing into the closed off area he would get dressed in.

"I can't believe she cooked all that food by herself," Julie said. "Without any help whatsoever."

"Nana's pretty amazing," Nick slid into his leather trousers and white dress shirt. "How do I look?" he asked.

"Those trousers are really tight, Daddy," Katie said truthfully. "I think you should wear jeans."

Nick laughed. "I'd love to wear jeans." he grinned at the look in his wife's eyes. "But onstage I have to wear these."

"It's too bad Grandma and Grandpa couldn't come," Ashley said sitting down beside Greta.

"I know," Greta smoothed the young girl's hair back. "They're sorry they had to miss this."

Ashley looked over at her father who was busy talking to Julie. "Greta?" she asked her voice barely above a whisper. "Can I ask you something?"

"Of course you can," Greta smiled at her. "You can ask me anything you want."

Ashley looked over at her parents once more to make sure they weren't listening. "It's about my dad's parents. I was wondering...well I was just wondering..."

Greta's eyes darkened and she struggled not to let her opinion of Nick's parents show.

"Katie and me have never met them," Ashley continued. "And Daddy never talks about them. I was just wondering if we'd see them when we were in Sydney."

"I wouldn't count on it love," Greta said gently. "They're not the nicest of people."

Ashley nodded and sat quietly for a few moments.

"We're their grandchildren though," Ashley said unable to grasp this explanation. "Grandma and Grandpa love us. And so do Nana Molly and Grandpa Arthur."

"And you're very lucky for that," Greta said. "Some people just... they just..."

"Don't like us?" Ashley asked with a sad expression on her face.

"It's not that they don't like you," Greta struggled to find the right words. "They're not nice people, and they don't like anyone but themselves."

"What are you two talking about?" Nick asked pulling on one of Ashley's plaits. "You look all secretive."

"Nothing Daddy," Ashley said quickly forcing a smile. "Nothing at all."

"Are you ready to hear your old man sing?" Nick teased.

"Sure," Ashley said quietly.

"And how about my baby Katie?" Nick asked his younger daughter.

Katie nodded enthusiastically. "Are you going to sing that song you wrote for Mummy?"

"I might," Nick laughed. "It is the one that made me famous."

"You were famous beforehand Nick," Julie argued, her face pink as she joined her family.

"Yeah but that one really put me on the map." Nick smiled at his wife.

A man poked his head inside the dressing room. "Ten minutes Mr. Malfoy," he said. "Your band is still warming up."

"Thank you," Nick replied. "I'd better start a few voice exercises myself." he went over to the other side of the tent and got himself some tea and began his own warm up.

"Grandpa Arthur said he'd save us some seats down front," Julie said to her daughters.

"So we get to see Daddy up close while he sings!" Ashley brightened up.

"That's right," Julie said grinning at them. "You did a really good job on your dad's hair, Ash."

"Thank you Mummy," Ashley sidled up close and leaned against her mother's shoulder.

"Don't tell him this but I think you do a better job than he does," Julie said in her daughter's ear. "But you cannot tell him I said that."

"It's our secret Mummy," Ashley promised.

Molly was out of breath when she pushed through the doors. "Oh good! You're all still here!" she exclaimed breathlessly. "I was so afraid I'd missed you."

"Nana!" Nick exclaimed.

"Nicholas," Molly said wanting to give him a bear hug but not wanting to ruin his dress shirt. "You look so handsome!"

"Thanks Nana." Nick grinned proudly. "Didn't my daughter do a fine job on my hair?"

"She did," Molly said grinning at her great-granddaughter.

"I could have fixed his hair," Katie said pouting.

"I would love to have seen what you would have done with it," Ashley said with a laugh.

"It would have looked better!" Katie shot back.

"No it wouldn't have," Ashley retorted. "The last time you fixed Daddy's hair it looked like he'd stuck his finger in the light socket!"

"All right," Julie interrupted hastily. "I'm sure Katie would have done a lovely job but it doesn't matter anymore."

Katie stuck her tongue out at Ashley.

"That's really mature Katherine Rose," Ashley said using her sister's full name which she knew would irritate Katie to no end.

"Okay Ashley Beth," Katie retorted.

"Girls," Julie said with a warning look. "Can you please get along for the next hour at least? I'd appreciate it and I know your father would too."

"I have a great idea," Nick replied. "How about both my girls come out on the stage with me?"

Both girls turned and stared at their father. "NO WAY!" they both exclaimed at the same time.

Nick laughed. "Yes way," he teased.

The same man came in and told Nick that he was needed on stage and Nick nodded. "And how about my beautiful wife, will she come on stage too?"

"Oh goodness Nick, you just take the girls up there and Greta and I will claim our seats," Julie turned red.

"Come on Mum!" Ashley urged. "You have to go with us!"

"No, no," Julie shook her head. "You two go on up there with your father and let him show off how gorgeous you both look today."

"Can I at least get a kiss for luck?" Nick asked.

"That you can always have," Julie pressed her lips to his.

Katie and Ashley waited impatiently as their mother and father kissed for what seemed like forever.

"Come on Daddy!" Katie said. "We're needed on stage!"

"All right baby," Nick said. "I'll see you after the show," he said softly to Julie.

"Break a leg," Julie said smiling at her husband.

"Why did you tell Daddy to break his leg?" Katie asked with wide eyes.

Julie giggled. "It's just an expression sweetheart. You say it to someone who's about to perform. It means 'good luck'."

"Oh," Katie said. "Well, break both legs Daddy!"

Nick smiled. "Thanks, Katie."

"Come ON Daddy," Ashley tugged at his hand.

Julie waved as her husband led her two daughters out of the dressing room. And then she, Molly and Greta hurried to get their seats that Arthur saved for them.

"He's been looking forward to this since Molly and Arthur asked him to perform," Julie told Greta.

"I know," Greta said. She wondered if perhaps she should tell Julie about Ashley's questions about her paternal set of grandparents.

"They're really proud of him," Julie said. "I am too. He's really such an amazing father you know?"

"He is," Greta said nodding. "I'm proud of him too, Julie. He didn't have the best childhood and look at him now."

"The girls absolutely adore him," Julie replied.

"Speaking of the girls," Greta said hesitantly. "Ashley asked about Nick's parents earlier."

"She did?" Julie's head snapped to look at Greta. "What did she ask? And why?"

"I think it's with all the talk about going back to Sydney for the tour," Greta replied. "And Nick's never talked too much about them to Katie or Ashley. I think she was curious if she'd see them while we're there."

"I hope we don't," Julie shuddered. "It's enough that they tried to come back and frame my mother and take her place as Minister that one time..."

"I know," Greta said. "But perhaps it might be a good idea to talk to the girls about them. You know how Ashley gets when she wants to find out something."

"Tell me about it," Julie said. Ashley had definitely inherited Hermione's inquisitiveness and bull headed reputation when it came to getting what she wanted.

"Look there they are!" Molly said tapping Julie on the shoulder. For the moment at least, talk of Ginny and Draco Malfoy were forgotten as she focused her attention on her husband and her two daughters. Katie was smiling and waving at the crowd while Ashley hung back a little and gave a shy smile.

"Before I start my show I'd like everyone to meet my two beautiful daughters!" Nick's voice boomed proudly over the din. Julie waved to her two girls as Nick introduced them.

"And you might know them better as the great-granddaughters of the woman who has helped feed all of today," Nick said grinning down at his grandmother. "Can we get a round of applause for Molly Weasley?"

An even more raucous round of applause sounded as Molly blushed red, quite pleased as everyone seemed to appreciate her cooking skills.

Nick gave his two daughters a big hug before sending them back to Julie and Greta. Ashley was blushing furiously. "That was so scary!" she whispered to her mother. "I didn't know there was that many people!"

Julie laughed. "You may not have liked it but I think your sister sure did."

"Big surprise there," Ashley said with a laugh. "She loves being the centre of attention."

"So do you Ashley," Katie argued, hearing every word of their conversation. "You told me the other day you like when everyone used to watch you play piano."

"Everyone in our family yes," Ashley clarified. "But not all these strangers that I don't know. It's different."

"All right girls," Julie said. "Daddy's singing- so let's watch him and not argue okay?"

Katie and Ashley agreed to a cease fire at least until after their father finished performing.

Julie watched her husband up on the stage and remembered when he sang to her at her birthday party.

When Nick finished singing that same song, he smiled at his wife. "That was for you, Jules."

Julie smiled back up at him. "I love you," she mouthed to him.

*** *** ***

Frankie's adventure in babysitting was coming to a close and she seemed to be getting through it okay. On the bright side, the girls were both still happy and healthy and the house was still in one piece. Allison and Jon were scheduled to return around six that evening and Frankie hoped that they had a good time. After spending the weekend with Caroline and Emma, Frankie had a new appreciation for what her sister went through on a daily basis.

On Sunday morning, she awoke to the sounds of Emma's cries.

Throwing on her dressing gown, Frankie stumbled into the nursery to get the baby.

"Emma," Frankie said wincing. "You did a poo again, didn't you?"

Emma continued to cry as Frankie lifted her up and carried her over to the changing station. "All better now," Frankie cooed after she changed the messy nappy. "All better..." she cuddled the infant closely.

Caroline came into the nursery rubbing her eyes. "Aunt Frankie? Are mummy and daddy back yet?"

"Not until tonight," Frankie said.

"I miss them," Caroline said with a yawn. She stood on her tiptoes. "Hi Em."

"I'm sure they miss you too," Frankie replied. "But you had fun this weekend right?"

Caroline nodded. "I still can't believe Grandma came to check on us. She looked really sick."

"I know," Frankie said, frowning. "And Ethan too. As if they couldn't believe that I could take care of you both on my own..."

"You did pretty good," Caroline said thoughtfully. There was a commotion in the sitting room and Caroline ran out hoping it was her parents arriving back early. To her dismay, it was a tall, slender young man around her aunt's age with brown hair. He was dusting the soot and ash off his clothes.

"Princess Jasmine, I presume?" he asked grinning at Caroline.

"Who are you?" Caroline asked suspiciously as Frankie came into the room behind her.

"Will!" she cried in surprise.

"I'm not too early am I?" Will asked coming forward and giving her a chaste kiss on the lips. He looked at Emma who was staring up at him from Frankie's arms. "Look at you with a baby. Never would have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own two eyes."

"Sod it you," Frankie scowled. "I'm a good aunt."

"She's the best," Caroline said loyally standing beside Frankie.

"Yes she is," Will said winking at Frankie.

Frankie turned red. "Well um... Caroline I think Will has brought us some breakfast!"

"I heard that Princess Jasmine likes chocolate glazed doughnuts," Will said producing a box from behind his back.

Caroline nodded. "I love those!"

"I'm glad I picked the right ones then," Will grinned then looked back up at Frankie. "And for you..." he held up a bag. "Chocolate long johns..."

"My favourites," she said grinning at him. "But that stays between you and me, right?"

"Absolutely," Will promised, smiling at her.

"Would you mind holding Emma?" Frankie asked. "I need to get Caroline some milk and I need to fix Emma's bottle."

"Sure," Will agreed. "She's really cute!"

Frankie smiled and set about getting Emma and Will a glass of milk and then getting Emma's bottle ready. She was more than a little surprised when Will offered to feed the baby while she had breakfast.

"I have done this before," he told her. "Besides Emma is crazy about me, aren't you little one?"

"You say that about all the girls," Frankie teased.

"Just relax and eat your breakfast and let me and Emma alone," Will said holding out a free hand. "Come on Francesca. The bottle, please."

Frankie handed him the bottle and sat down next to Caroline. "Better enjoy these while they last, right Caroline?"

Caroline nodded. "These are really good. I might save one or two for mummy since it was her birthday yesterday."

"That's right," Frankie replied. "I guess it's a good thing you finished your special birthday surprise..."

"Special birthday surprise?" Will asked. "What did you make for your mum?"

"It's a picture book," Caroline answered, her face covered in chocolate. "And I put pictures in of us and then I drew some other ones."

"It's really good Will," Frankie said proudly. "We worked on it most of the day yesterday."

"I bet she'll love it," Will said, tipping the bottle up.

"You can see it after breakfast if you want," Caroline said helping herself to another doughnut.

"That sounds fantastic," Will replied. "So Princess, how was your magic carpet ride?"

"Really fun," Caroline said with a laugh.

Will grinned at Frankie. "Good to know," he said with a laugh in his voice.

They ate in silence for a few moments broken only be Caroline's innocent question.

"Are you my aunt's boyfriend?"

"Caroline!" Frankie exclaimed.

"Are you?" Caroline asked pointedly looking at Will.

"I'd like to think so," Will said with a glance at Frankie.

"I think Emma's finished with her bottle," Frankie said getting to her feet. "Let me take her from you."

The look Will gave her left her knowing they would talk later and she was avoiding his eyes as she left the kitchen.

"Thanks for the doughnuts," Caroline said after she'd taken her last bite. "They were yummy."

"It was my pleasure Caroline," Will smiled at the young girl.

"Are you going to go with us to the park?" Caroline asked. "Auntie Frankie was going to take me and Emma for a walk later."

"That sounds like a lot of fun," Will said. "Do they have swings there?"

"Yes," Caroline replied. "And this really big slide."

"I'd love to come with if your aunt doesn't mind," Will grinned at Caroline. "Do you think she likes having me around?"

Caroline nodded. "I think so."

Will laughed. "I should hope so. She just likes when I bring her breakfast."

"That's not the only reason," Frankie said coming back into the kitchen carrying Emma.

"Oh there's others?" Will teased her.

Frankie smiled at him before sitting Emma down in her bouncy seat. "There might be one or two others..."

"Can Will come to the park with us?" Caroline asked.

Frankie looked back at him. "If he wants to Caroline, he's welcome to join us."

"I don't know," Will said winking at Caroline. "All the other blokes will be right jealous of me walking around with the three prettiest girls in the world."

"Such a charmer," Frankie rolled her eyes as she buckled Emma back in her seat. "We'd need to get dressed before we can go anywhere. And it's cold out so we're talking cloaks and scarves."

"I'll go and get changed," Caroline said. "I want to check on Max too..."

"Who's Max?" Will asked.

"My dog," Caroline replied. "My Grandpa got him for me last Christmas. Aunt Frankie doesn't like him too much..."

"Well he's so crazy," Frankie pointed out. "All he does is jump up and down on you and he licks everything."

Will leaned forward so only Frankie could hear. "You've said that about me a couple of times as I recall."

Frankie turned red. "Come on Caroline, let's go get you changed." she said hastily.

Caroline scampered off to her bedroom and Frankie was about to follow her when Will grabbed her arm.

"Are you sure you don't mind me coming with?" he asked. "I don't have to if you don't want me to."

"I don't mind," she said. "I missed you this weekend."

"I did too," Will said putting his arms around her waist. "I really wish you could have come along."

"I will soon," Frankie replied. "I really don't want your parents thinking you made me up," she joked.

Will laughed. "Well, you don't have to worry about that. My parents are going to be in town next Friday evening. I sort of promised we'd take them out to dinner..."

"Next Friday?" she frowned. "I have a big meeting with the team that night..."

The smile on Will's face faltered a bit. "Frankie, you didn't mention anything to me about that. The last time you and I spoke you said we should definitely do something next weekend. And now all of a sudden you have a meeting?"

"I can't help it!" Frankie said defensively. "It's the PR meeting for next season- I have to get their schedules for their press shots and announcements, I have to arrange interviews with the magazines and newspapers... this is one of my busier times of the year Will."

"On Friday evening?" Will asked folding his arms.

"I didn't schedule the meeting the team manager did," Frankie replied petulantly.

"Okay," Will said. "How about Saturday? We could meet them breakfast, lunch or dinner. Your choice."

"I'll try," Frankie said noncommittally. "I'll know my schedule better by the middle of the week."

"Yeah," Will said trying not to show how frustrated he was. Every single time he suggested she meet his parents or anyone else in his family, there always seemed to be some big emergency or some meeting that she'd forgotten about. He might have been able to write it off as coincidence if it hadn't happened every single time.

"Look," Frankie tried to appease him. "Let's not argue about this today, all right? I'll push aside some things and I'll make sure I'm free at least one of those times. I promise."

"Okay," Will said forcing a smile. "You...you'd better go help Caroline. I'll stay with Emma."

"Thanks," Frankie went down the hallway to help her niece get dressed.

Will sat back down in front of Emma and wondered what was the reason behind Frankie's reluctance to meet his parents. Come to think of it, he'd only met HER parents when they'd run into them at a restaurant. He'd never met her sisters and this was the first time he'd ever met her nieces.

"All ready!" Caroline sang out, skipping back into the room five minutes later with Frankie in tow. Her hair had been neatly plaited and she was pulling her little red gloves on. "Aunt Frankie says since I was good I can bring Max!"

Will smiled at Caroline. "I can't wait to meet him."

"As long as you know once we get there you'll still have to take care of him," Frankie replied.

"I know," Caroline said. "You sound just like Mummy."

"Uh oh," Frankie laughed.

"Come on Caroline," Will said picking her up. "How about you and I go and get Max ready while Auntie Frankie here gets your sister ready?"

"Okay," Caroline gave him a hug. "You're fun Will. I like you!"

"Thank you Princess," Will said grinning back at her. "Let's go and get your royal dog shall we?"

"Okay," Caroline giggled as Will took her into the other room to get Max.

Frankie got Emma dressed warmly and was tucking her into the pram when Max tore past her towards the door.

Caroline and Will were laughing as they ran after him.

"He's just excited to go out!" Caroline said breathlessly. "Come here Maxi!"

The dog scampered around, his tongue hanging out as he looked at his little mistress.

"All right let's go before he tears the room up," Frankie pulled her own cloak on.

Will quickly put his own cloak on and then lifted Caroline up on his shoulders. He took Max's leash and they set off for the park.

"I can see everything from up here!" Caroline exclaimed in delight. "Will you're so tall!"

Will laughed. "I'm not that tall."

"You're as tall as my daddy," Caroline pointed out. "You have longer hair than him too."

"I keep telling him he needs to get it cut," Frankie chimed in over her shoulder.

"Can we play beauty salon later?" Caroline asked him eagerly. "I can make you look beautiful!"

"Beautiful?" Will asked. He looked up at the little girl. "How about handsome? Could you make me look handsome?"

"I think he's pretty handsome already," Frankie said with a grin. "What do you think Caroline?"

"He's not as handsome as my daddy," Caroline said tugging on Will's hair. "But he's kind of cute."

Will laughed. "Thanks Princess."

"You realize she's never going to let me call her anything else now," Frankie teased.

"I'll tell my daddy about this nickname," Caroline nodded. "He always says I'm his princess anyway!"

"What does he call Emma?" Will asked.

"His other princess," Caroline said. "All three of us are his princesses."

Will laughed. "Well I hope I get to meet your dad and mum someday."

"They're coming home tonight," Caroline said excitedly. "You can meet them then."

Frankie's grip on the pram tightened. "I don't know Caroline. That's a long ways away. Will might have something he has to do."

"I'm sure I can stick around," Will cut in. "I'd like to meet them."

"You don't have to do that," Frankie said avoiding his gaze as she strode along the sidewalk. "Allie's probably going to be knackered from the trip."

"I really don't mind," Will said pointedly.

"Okay," Frankie said. "But that's like six hours away, Will."

"I didn't make any plans for today," Will gave her a hard glance.

"Okay," Frankie said hoping that her brother-in-law wouldn't make any smart remarks about Will being the flavour of the month. But, she knew that wasn't what she was really worried about. Will meeting her family meant they were serious. And she wasn't so sure that's what she needed or wanted right now. "I guess that's settled then."

"Yay!" Caroline clapped her hands. "You'll like my mummy and daddy."

"Do I need to call them King Jon and Queen Allison?" Will asked. "Since their daughter is the princess..."

"No," Caroline giggled. "That's silly!"

"His Royal Highness?" Will asked. "Her Royal Highness?"

"I just call them Mummy and Daddy," Caroline said as Will set her down.

"Well I can't call them that, now can I?" Will asked her. "Because I have my own mummy and daddy. And I even have an older brother and an older sister."

"You do?" Caroline asked. "I'm the oldest over Emma."

Will nodded. "And I know you're a good big sister, aren't you? I bet you help out whenever you can."

Caroline nodded emphatically. "Mummy even lets me feed Emma sometimes."

"I'm impressed," Will said handing the little girl Max's leash. "Here you go Princess."

"Thanks," Caroline giggled. "Come on Max let's go on the slide."

Frankie silently pushed the pram over to the bench near the slide so she could keep an eye on Caroline. Before she sat down, she made sure that Emma was bundled up and to her delight she saw Emma was fast asleep. "She looks so peaceful," Frankie whispered to Will.

"She's gorgeous," Will pulled the blanket down just a bit.

"It's been really hard work being with the two of them this weekend, but I've actually enjoyed it," Frankie admitted surprising herself. "I found myself just standing in the nursery watching Emma sleep. That's so lame, isn't it?"

"Is that Francesca Longbottom being maternal?" Will asked, an amused smirk playing about his lips.

Frankie smiled and nudged him in the ribs. "I think I was just being a good aunt is all. No maternal feelings from me...."

"That's too bad," he said as they sat down on a bench together. Will put his arm around her, trying not to think of their earlier heated words.

"Why?" Frankie asked looking at him. "You getting any paternal feelings? You ready to settle down and have snot nosed sprogs of your own?"

"All depends on who wants to carry them for me," he grinned back at her.

Frankie vehemently shook her head. "Don't look at me."

"I like looking at you," Will replied. "You're gorgeous Frankie."

Frankie beamed at him. "Thank you. You know you're kind of easy on the eyes yourself."

"Tell me more," he said, leaning in.

Frankie inched closer to him. "You have these amazing brown eyes..."

"So do you," he said softly, pulling her in with his arm.

"And you are an outstanding kisser," Frankie said softly before pressing her lips to his.

Will kissed her back. He had been wanting to hold her all weekend- his bed had felt cold without her curling up next to him, muttering unintelligible words in her sleep. There was nothing more he liked than waking up next to her in the mornings and the more time he spent with Frankie the more he knew he wanted to be with her and only her.

Frankie pulled reluctantly away from him when she heard her niece call out to them.

"AUNT FRANKIE!" Caroline called out. She was atop the slide and wanted them to see her as she went down.

"We're watching Princess!" Will called with a wave.

Frankie watched not only Caroline's descent down the slide but also Will's face. She'd never known how great he was with children. And from what she could tell it wasn't an act. He seemed to genuinely like spending the day with her two nieces.

"Did you see?" Caroline asked running over to them. "I went really, really fast!"

"That was fantastic," Will got up and swung the little girl around. "You're very brave Princess."

Caroline giggled and wrapped her little arms around his neck. "Did you want to go on the swings with me?"

"That sounds like fun," Will replied. "Do you mind, Aunt Frankie?" he teased.

"No," Frankie said with a laugh. "You two go on ahead and I'll stay here with Emma and Max."

"We'll be back soon," Will promised as he shifted Caroline to his back and gave her a piggyback ride over to the row of swings.

Frankie watched them go and a strange feeling came over her. She started to think about what a great father Will would be someday. Not that she was looking to have a family with him or anyone else for that matter, she told herself.

After an hour of chasing Caroline around, the little girl pronounced that she was tired so they headed back to Jon and Allison's place.

"How about some hot chocolate?" Will asked once Frankie had settled Caroline down for a kip. Emma was still sleeping peacefully in her pram so they had decided to leave her in there.

"That would be lovely," Frankie said sinking down onto the plush sofa.

Will smiled at her as he disappeared into the kitchen. It was neat and small, so he had no trouble finding hot chocolate and making it quickly.

Frankie smiled at him as he came back into the sitting room. "You're pretty great, you know that?"

"Only the best for you," Will replied easily, settling next to her on the sofa.

They sat in silence for a few moments, each taking sips of their hot chocolate. Frankie could feel him watching her and she looked over at him. "What? Do I have whipped cream on my nose or something?"

"No," Will replied. "I can't look at my girlfriend?"

"Girlfriend?" Frankie asked nearly spilling her hot chocolate. "I thought we agreed that we weren't going to put a label on what we have."

"Why not?" Will argued. "We've been seeing each other for a long time Frankie."

Frankie leaned forward and set her mug down on the coffee table. "I know that Will."

"Are you ashamed of me or something?" he asked, setting his mug by hers. "Is that why you always come up with an excuse when I want you to meet my family? Is that why you don't want me to meet yours?"

"That's not it at all," she said quickly. "You know that's not the case, Will. We've just been really busy lately. And you have met my mum and dad."

"Only on accident," Will pointed out. "Frankie, I don't want to get in a strop over this. But I love you and sometimes I get the feeling that it's not mutual."

Frankie wished she could just run out of the house and not have to deal with any of this right now. But she couldn't.

"We had a good day Will," she said quietly. "Why do you have to spoil it by getting so serious all of a sudden?"

Will shook his head and sat back. "I guess I just got my answer," he muttered.

She felt herself getting angry. "I know what this is about. What this is really about is your being angry with me because I couldn't get away to meet your parents. You know I am a busy woman, Will. I have duties and responsibilities to my family; to my job. But you don't seem to understand that, do you?"

"I'm not talking about that," Will said, trying to remain calm. "I know I was disappointed you couldn't make it but this isn't about that."

"What's it about then?" she asked.

"The fact that every time I say I love you, you look away," Will replied. "Every time I talk about us, in terms of a relationship, you get all freaked out."

"That's not true," Frankie said defensively. "I just don't think we should label what we have and what we are to each other. That's all. That doesn't mean that I don't..."

"You don't love me," Will said flatly.

"That's not true," she protested.

"Then tell me you love me," Will replied intently.

"What?" Frankie asked. "Right here? Right now? You want me to tell you that?"

"Yes, I want to hear it from you." Will said.

Frankie took a deep breath and met his gaze. "I do love you Will."

His eyes softened. "I've loved you for a long time now Frankie."

"H-how long?" she asked.

He chuckled. "I don't remember exactly. I think one morning I woke up and realised that I don't want to live without you."

"Wow," Frankie said feeling that same uncomfortable feeling in her stomach again at his words. "I don't know what to say...."

Will leaned in and touched his lips to hers.

Frankie put her arms around his neck and deepened the kiss. She didn't want to lose him and she did love him, but all of this scared her more than she'd ever admit.

He pushed her down onto the sofa, running his fingers through her hair as she ran her hands over his back.

"We can't do this here," Frankie whispered between kisses.

"Just a few more minutes," Will said breathlessly. "I can't wait to get you alone later."

Frankie smiled. "I can't wait either."

"It's been awhile since we made love," Will nibbled on her earlobe. "I've missed it."

"It's been way too long," she said giggling as he moved down to her neck. "That tickles...."

"I know every spot on your body Francesca," Will said softly.

"Mmmm," she murmured. "We really should stop before things get out of hand. I promised Allie."

"Right," he whispered.

"But I don't think she'd have a problem if we took a kip and cuddled," Frankie said softly.

"We don't have to move do we?" Will asked, eyeing a blanket spread over the back of the sofa.

"No," Frankie said. "I think we're nice and cosy where we are, don't you?"

"Works for me," he said as she snuggled next to him. He wrapped his arms around her. "You're the best thing in my life Frankie. I mean it when I say that."

"I know," she said closing her eyes. "I know Will."

He stroked her hair gently and he could tell a few minutes later that she was asleep.

It wasn't too much longer that he too fell fast asleep.

At just before six in the evening, the front door opened. "I still can't believe you had everyone in the restaurant sing to me. I was mortified!" Allison said taking off her cloak.

Jon grinned at his wife. "I can still surprise you, that's what matters."

"You certainly did," Allison said grinning back at him. "We're home!" she called out. "Caroline! Frankie!"

Frankie awoke with a start, forgetting for a moment where she was. "Allie!" she scrambled off Will, waking him in the process.

Allison and Jon linked hands as they went into the sitting room. They stared open mouthed at the groggy Will and Frankie.

"Mummy! Daddy!" Caroline called out excitedly running into the room. "You're back!"

"Hey baby," Jon swung his daughter up into his arms. "Were you a good girl this weekend?"

Caroline nodded and hugged her father tightly. "I missed you soooooooooooo much!"

"We missed you too Angel," Allison took her daughter as Frankie retrieved Emma from her pram.

"The house is in one piece I see," Jon teased his sister-in-law as he took the baby from her.

"I took good care of your girls Jonathan," Frankie said.

Will ran his hands through his longish hair as he stood. "Hi," he extended his hand to Jon. "I'm Will Barron."

"The famous Will?" Jon asked trying to hold onto the baby and shake Will's hand at the same time. "I was beginning to think you didn't exist."

"Yeah that's what my mum's said about Frankie," Will cast a glance at her.

"It's nice to meet you Will," Allison said sensing this was a tense subject for her sister.

"Allison right?" Will asked. "It's nice to meet you as well. I've heard a lot about you and your other sister from Frankie."

Allison smiled warmly at him.

"Will brought us doughnuts this morning," Caroline told her mother. "And then he took me and Aunt Frankie and Emma to the park and we went on the slide and we went on the swings and..."

"I think you have a fan," Allison told Will.

"Ah, the beautiful princess," Will grinned at Caroline. “The feeling’s quite mutual.”

Caroline beamed at him. "He's really cool Mummy."

Allison smiled at her daughter. "I'm glad you had a good time this weekend."

"I have a present for you too Mummy!" Caroline said. "Can I go get it?"

"Sure," Allison said setting her daughter down. "I can't wait to see it."

"You'll love it Allie," Frankie said. "She worked so hard on it."

Caroline ran back into the room with a package. "Happy birthday Mummy!" she said happily.

Allison sat down on the sofa with the package and smiled at her daughter. "Did you wrap this all by yourself?"

Caroline nodded eagerly. "Aunt Frankie helped me too."

Frankie stood beside Will as they waited for Allison to open the package.

"Oh sweetheart," Allison said looking at the scrapbook. "This is...this is..."

"Great job Angel," Jon said to Caroline. “When you leave your Mum grasping for words, you've done a good job."

"I drew all the pictures!" Caroline said proudly. "And Daddy gave me the photos of us. And then I put them in the book together."

Allison turned the pages and felt tears come to her eyes. "Thank you, Caroline."

"I'm glad you like it Mummy," Caroline gave her a big hug.

Jon sat down with Emma so he too could take a look at the finished product.

Frankie was thinking she and Will should leave when Caroline asked her mother if Will and Frankie could stay for dinner.

"We don't have to," Frankie said. "Allie, you and Jon just got home. I'm sure you don't want to entertain Will and me..."

"Nonsense," Allison said. "We would love to get to know Will better."

"Ditto," Will grinned. "I'm glad to finally meet some of Frankie's family."

"The first thing you should know Will is that anything she's told you about us is wrong," Jon said. "All lies."

"Jonathan Weasley!" Frankie put her hands on her hips. "I do not lie!"

"If you said that I was your favourite brother-in-law, then no you wouldn't be lying," Jon said. "But I think you're more partial to Tosh than me."

"I don't know," Frankie grinned wickedly at him. "I rather like guys who let their daughters put curlers in their hair."

Allison and Caroline started to laugh and Jon turned a shade of red that nearly matched his hair. "Caroline told you about that, eh?"

"Mmmhmm," Frankie hummed.

"It was just that one time," Jon defensively.

"Sure it was Jon," Frankie said breezily.

"If it makes you feel any better Jon," Will said. "One of my nieces once painted my fingernails. I didn't want her to but she gave me the puppy dog eyes and I couldn't resist."

"I guess we all have our little secrets," Jon said, passing Emma to his wife. "So Frankie, did you eat all our food or did you leave something for us for dinner tonight?"

"No," Frankie said glaring at him. "You have plenty left, Jonathan. You know you should be nice to me. I saved you two this weekend."

"And we're forever grateful," Jon quipped, grinning at Will.

"That's more like it," Frankie said with a grin.

"Maybe we should just order a pizza or something," Allison suggested. "I'm not in the mood to cook."

"I'm always up for pizza," Will replied. "I saw a little place on the corner- Frankie and I can go get a few pies while you guys settle back in." he looked at her. "How does that sound?"

"You're talking about Mario's," Jon said. "We're on a first name basis with him. You just go in there and tell him you want the Weasley special and he'll know what to do."

"Sounds good," Will replied. He and Frankie got into their cloaks and left.

Allison grinned at her husband. " So what did you think?"

"Seems like a nice bloke," Jon said. "I wonder why Frankie never wanted us to meet him."

"You know how Frankie usually is," Allison said thoughtfully. "Once things get serious, she gets out. But this is one that apparently knows that and keeps coming back for more. I think we'll be seeing more of Mr. Barron."

42. Chapter 42

Authors' note: Here's the latest chapter. We did manage to do some review replies this time around. And we'd like to say something to those of you who read, but don't review. This goes for not only our stories, but for all the stories on portkey. If you read the story, it only takes a minute to let the author know what you think---good, bad or indifferent. It means a lot to us writers that people are responding to what we write. It's a little disheartening to find your stories has almost a 1000 hits per chapter, but only 25 reviews. We don't like to beg, it's not pretty, but we are doing it again. Please, please review and support your portkey authors!

"I want to send Grandma and Grandpa a postcard when we get to Cindy!" Katie was excited as Nick was arranging for a portkey to transfer all of them to Australia.

"That's Sydney," Ashley corrected her. "Not Cindy."

"That's what I said," Katie said quickly. "Sydney."

"You said Cindy," Ashley tossed her blonde hair over her shoulder.

"Girls," Greta said. "That's enough all right?"

"She's always correcting me," Katie said glaring at her sister. "She thinks she's so much smarter than me."

"I am smarter than you," Ashley said. "I'm eight and you're only six."

"Girls," Julie said kneeling down before them. "I thought we agreed we were going to try and get along with each other while we were on holiday. This is a very important tour for your father and for Greta. They're going back to Australia for the first time in years. You don't want to bicker the whole time do you?"

"I guess not Mummy," Ashley said.

"Good," Julie said smiling up at them. "Now are you both sure that you have everything you want to take with you? No books or toys you've forgotten?"

Both girls shook their heads. "I'm going to colour a picture for Daddy," Katie said.

"I'm going to draw him one," Ashley pulled her little sketchbook out of her bag and sat down.

Julie was grateful for the momentary peace and quiet and she walked over to her husband. "Any luck?"

"Getting there," Nick smiled at her. "I would have thought my manager would have arranged a bloody portkey but I guess since we're leaving a bit earlier than scheduled it's not going to be so easy."

"At least we don't have to endure a long plane ride with Ashley and Katie arguing the entire way," Julie commented.

"Thank goodness we're not Muggles," Nick said under his breath.

"Do you have any family in Cin---I mean Sydney," Katie asked Greta. "You never talk about anyone over there."

"Your father is my family my sweetheart," Greta answered. "I was there since he was born."

"But what about your own mummy and daddy?" Katie asked. "Or brothers and sisters? You don't have anybody?"

Ashley rolled her eyes. "Katie. She has us and you asking so many questions like this is just plain rude."

"Shh," Greta put a hand on Ashley's arm. "I never had any brothers or sisters, and my parents died when I was much younger."

"That's so sad," Katie said.

"I'm sorry Greta," Ashley said softly. "We didn't know."

"Quite all right my darlings," Greta put her arms around them. "I have your father, your aunt Saffron, your mum, and of course, my two girls."

"And Uncle Ethan too," Katie reminded her. "Don't forget him."

"I have plenty of people to love, and who love me," Greta answered. "So I'm not very sad."

"Will we be spend Christmas in Sydney?" Ashley asked.

"No we'll be back before then," Julie rejoined her daughters and Greta. "Then we'll go to Grandma and Grandpa's for the holiday."

"Good," Ashley said. "I didn't want to spend Christmas away from them especially since Grandpa Granger's been so sick."

"He's doing much better now," Julie smoothed back Ashley's hair.

"I'm glad for that," Ashley said before getting back to her drawing.

Nick announced that he'd managed to set up a portkey that would activate in two minutes. "I know it's short notice, but it's the only one I could find."

"Good thing we're still all packed up," Julie deadpanned.

"Come on girls," Greta said helping Katie and Ashley pack away their art supplies and sketchbooks.

"Don't fold it!" Katie said in a panic as Ashley grabbed her colouring book and stuffed it into the bag they were sharing.

"It's just a colouring book, Katherine Rose," Ashley said.

"Ashley Beth," Katie shot back.

Julie rolled her eyes. "Come here Katherine Rose and you too Ashley Beth. We're leaving any second now."

Ashley shot her sister a superior look as they joined their parents and Greta.

Nick produced an old tattered book from behind his back. "Everyone ready?"

"Ready Daddy!" Katie said excitedly. "Cindy here we come!"

Ashley decided for once to let this one go and for that everyone was extremely grateful.

"Cindy here we come," Nick grinned at his youngest.

A few moments later, the Malfoy family found themselves in a posh penthouse suite at one of Sydney's most elegant hotels. Nick's manager had managed to get them checked in beforehand. Ashley and Katie ran excitedly around the suite checking everything out.

"Mum! There's four bedrooms!" Ashley called out. "That means I won't have to share with Katie!"

"That's right love," Julie said, her eyes gleaming at Nick as they both took in the master suite.

"I specifically asked for that," Nick whispered to his wife.

"Mmm..." Julie said, running her hands over the satiny duvet cover. "I can't wait to try this place out Nicholas..."

Nick winked at her. "Tonight soon enough for you?"

"You might need to give me something to pass the time with," Julie shut the door behind him and leaned against it.

Nick's eyes darkened as he closed the distance between them. "Something like this perhaps?" he asked before kissing her.

Julie made a sound of approval in her throat as they kissed deeply. "Something like that," she said breathlessly several minutes later.

Katie pounded her little first on the door. "Mummy! Daddy! Come here! You have to see this!"

"We'll be out in a minute sweetheart," Julie called back. She rested her forehead against her husband's. "I just want you to know how proud I am of you Nick. So much has changed since you were last here."

"I know," Nick said softly. "And although this place has some bad memories for me, I hope to make some new ones with you and the girls."

"I hope so too," Julie gave him one more kiss. "Come on, let's go see what has Katie so excited."

Nick followed his wife out of the bedroom and saw their youngest daughter looking out of the window.

"What's got you so excited, Katie?" Julie asked.

"That!" Katie said pointing her finger. "What is that thing?"

Nick chuckled. "The Sydney Opera House."

"Can we go see it?" Ashley asked, coming up on Katie's other side.

"I don't see why not," Julie replied. "I'd love to see it too."

"How about we head over there tomorrow?" Nick asked. "I have to go in for a meeting tonight, and then I have the morning and afternoon free until my concert tomorrow evening."

Ashley picked up a brochure on the coffee table. "I bet I can find some more places we could see in here!"

"There's more for us to see here than we can fit in a few days," Nick said. "But you and Katie each pick three places to go see and we'll make sure we go there all right?"

"I want to go shopping!" Katie exclaimed plopping down beside Ashley on the sofa.

"We can do that too," Julie promised.

"I want to go to some museums," Ashley said turning the pages of the brochure. "And some art galleries too. Greta said they have some great ones here."

"I used to take you to those Nicholas," Greta came out of the room she'd be sleeping in.

"You used to DRAG me to those," Nick corrected.

"You enjoyed them," Greta replied.

"Sort of," Nick said dryly.

"Daddy likes art," Ashley said. "He told me he likes my pictures I draw."

"I do," Nick said. "You are my favourite artist hands down, Ash."

Ashley beamed with pride as she continued to look through the brochure.

"Maybe someday you'll have one of your paintings or sculptures in a gallery here," Greta said.

"That would be so cool!" Ashley said excitedly.

"And I'll tell everyone I'm Ashley Malfoy's father," Nick teased. "And no one will believe me."

"Don't be silly Daddy," Katie said, pulling the brochure away from her sister.

"Katie!" Ashley protested. "I was looking at that!"

"We can look together," Katie said. "You can't hog it Ashley."

"I wasn't hogging it," Ashley said glaring at her. "You didn't need to snatch it out of my hands."

"Girls," Julie said sharply.

"Look at this," Greta said pulling another brochure off of the table. "There's two of them. One for each of you."

"I'll take the new one," Ashley reached for it. "Katie's germs are all over that one now."

Julie sighed. "Girls please."

The two Malfoy girls glared at each other as Nick shook his head. "All right, I should get to my meeting. I'll be back later so if you all get hungry go ahead and have dinner without me."

Julie laughed. "Making a quick getaway, Mr. Malfoy?"

"As always when they start fighting," Nick teased.

"Good luck Daddy!" Katie called out.

"Thank you baby," Nick said. "How about a hug before I leave?"

Ashley and Katie stood up and ran over to their father engulfing him in a big hug.

"Ahh there we go," Nick said, holding them close for a moment. "Have fun and behave for your mum all right?"

"We will," Ashley promised.

"That's my girls," Nick ruffled his daughters' hair before smiling at his wife and Greta and Apparating out.

*** *** ***

The following Friday morning, Frankie was busily writing press releases. She'd had to come in early, but in doing so would be able to leave early so she could meet Will's parents. After trying every excuse she could think of and going on a big guilt trip from Will, she'd finally caved in and agreed to have dinner with them tonight.

It wasn't something she was looking forward to. In fact, she was downright terrified at the prospect of meeting Will's parents. It just made everything seem so much more official. But, Allison had told her that she was probably making this much worse than it need be. Allison had pointed out that meeting your boyfriend's parents shouldn't be made into such a trauma.

Frankie had retorted that Allison didn't know what she was talking about because she'd known Jon's parents since the day she was born.

"Knock, knock." Will said from her doorway. "Can I come in?"

Frankie looked up in surprise. "Will? What on earth are you doing here?"

"I just wanted to stop by," he replied. "I'm really glad you managed to work it out so you can come tonight Frankie."

"Of course," Frankie said giving him a weak smile. "I know how much it means to you. And we don't want your parents to think I'm imaginary, do we?"

Will smiled at her as he closed the door. "I'm really excited," he said. "This really means a lot to me Frankie."

"It's just meeting your parents," Frankie said with a laugh. "For all we know, they'll hate me and forbid you to see me ever again."

"They won't hate you," Will hugged her. "They'll love you like I do."

Frankie hugged him back, trying not to wince at his choice of words. Ever since he'd said it the other night at Jon and Allie's, he'd said it every single time he'd seen her.

"So, I'm meeting you and your parents at The Ivy at around 7 tonight right?" Frankie asked.

"Right," Will tipped her face back and kissed her. "And I'll give you the proper thank you later tonight," he murmured.

"Which if I remember correctly is how you got me to agree to go with you in the first place," Frankie said huskily. "You can be quite persuasive when you want to be Mr. Barron."

"Well when I have such a gorgeous creature in front of me I find it hard to not do this," Will pressed his lips to her neck.

Frankie bit her bottom lip. He knew exactly where to get her. "As much fun...Oooh...as this is, I really do need to...um...to get back to....work."

"What work?" Will teased, running his fingers down her side then back up under her robes and shirt.

"Will," Frankie said trying to push him away. "The team manager is scheduled to come in any minute."

"So is that an invitation to pick this back up later?" Will asked, pulling his hand away reluctantly.

"I sure hope so," Frankie said giving him one last kiss. "I'll see you at seven, okay?"

"We might get there a little before, so if we're not waiting in the lobby we'll be in the bar." Will stroked a lock of her hair back as he kissed her again.

"Okay," Frankie said softly. "I-I can't wait."

He smiled at her. "This will be great. My parents will love you." Will gave her one last kiss. "See you in a few hours."

At seven that evening, Will and his parents were sitting at the bar in The Ivy waiting for Frankie.

"What is it that she does again?" Will's mother Abigail asked.

"She works in PR for the Quidditch team," Will replied.

"Lovely," Abigail said nodding. "We cannot wait to meet her, William."

"You mean find out that she's a real person," Will's father Theodore said with a laugh. "We've never seen the girl, Abigail. And our son's been dating her for how long now son?"

"We've been on and off," Will said defensively, glancing at the clock.

"She comes from a good family," Abigail said. "I've heard good things about the Longbottoms."

"I've only met her parents a few times," Will replied as he took a sip of his scotch on the rocks. "And I just finally met her sister, brother in law and nieces last weekend."

Theodore and Abigail exchanged a look that thankfully Will didn't notice. The maitre d asked if he could seat them, but Will shook his head.

"We need a few more minutes," Will said politely. "We're still waiting on the rest of our party."

Little did they know it would be another forty five minutes before Frankie rushed in the door, out of breath and looking windblown.

"Frankie!" Will called out trying to remain calm. "We're over here!"

Frankie tried to make sure she looked somewhat presentable as she made her way over to Will and the two people standing beside him. "I am so sorry," she apologised. "I didn't mean to be late- our team owner came unexpectedly and wouldn't let us leave- I couldn't even owl you or get to my mobile to ring you."

"That's quite alright dear," Abigail said extending her hand. "It's a pleasure to meet you. I'm Abigail Barron and this is my husband Theodore. We've heard good things about you from Will."

"Hello," Frankie shook their hands, hoping they wouldn't feel how sweaty her palm was. "It's lovely to finally meet you both as well."

An awkward silence fell over the group.

"Mum, Dad?" Will finally asked. "Perhaps we should get our table now?"

"Of course," Abigail said. "Why don't you stay and get Frankie a drink and we'll see you over there in a moment?"

"Okay," Will said watching as his parents walked away. He took Frankie's hand. "Is everything okay? I was worried that you were going to bail on me, Frankie."

"It's fine," Frankie rolled her eyes. "I swear, I was ready to kill that arse for making us stay so late." her eyes softened. "I'm sorry Will. I know this is important to you and I hated it that I was late."

Will smiled reassuringly at her. "It doesn't matter now. You're here."

Frankie leaned forward and kissed him. "So do you think I made an okay first impression?"

"Other than arriving late," Will teased. "I think they love you."

She nodded, but she was still nervous. "How about that drink?" she asked. "I'm pretty thirsty."

"You want your usual?" he asked.

"White wine sounds perfect," Frankie nodded.

A few minutes later, he and Frankie took their drinks to the table. Frankie apologised once more for being tardy, but Will's parents told her that they understood and she had no reason to apologise.

"Will was telling us that your mother was a dancer," Theodore said warmly.

"Yes she still teaches," Frankie replied, toying with her linen napkin. "My sister Chiaki teaches with her now. She used to be in a company but she retired."

"And her sister is expecting now," Will chimed in.

"Oh how nice," Abigail said. "Your mother and father must really be looking forward to more grandchildren."

"They already have my two nieces," Frankie said, hoping that they weren't insinuation that she should have children as well.

"Oh you can never have enough grandchildren," Abigail said smiling at her.

Frankie simply nodded and smiled, then looked over at Will.

"Frankie's dad is an Auror," Will spoke up.

"An Auror?" Theodore's eyebrows rose. "My, my that's very impressive."

"He's one of the best," Frankie said loyally. She was about to elaborate on this point even more when her mobile phone started to ring. "I'm so sorry..."

Will opened his mouth to protest as she answered and began talking in hushed tones to the person on the other end. "Please excuse me a moment," she said apologetically as she got up and left the table.

She didn't return to the table until 20 minutes later.

"I really am sorry," Frankie said blushing as she sat back down. "There were some printing errors in our media guide. I promise that will be the last interruption."

Will didn't answer, he didn't even look up from his menu. "We need to order soon," he muttered.

"Yes of course," Frankie said sheepishly picking up her menu.

"Theo and I haven't been back here in ages," Abigail said conversationally. "Did you know we had our wedding reception here over 30 years ago?"

"Really?" Frankie asked. "I didn't know they did wedding receptions here."

"It was rather small," Abigail explained. "We only had around 20 guests."

"How come it wasn't bigger?" Frankie asked curiously.

"We wanted a small wedding," Abigail replied. "Only a few close friends and family."

"That and we couldn't afford much more," Theodore commented dryly.

"Oh," Frankie said, looking back at her menu. "My sister Chiaki's wedding was huge and my other sister Allie eloped."

"I wanted to elope," Theodore said with a laugh. "But Abbie here wouldn't hear of it."

"Never," Abigail smiled. "And Will's brother and sister both had large weddings as well, and when he gets married he can expect quite a celebration too."

Frankie gripped her menu tightly. "So does anyone know what they're going to order?"

Will had noticed her grip and his expression darkened. "Not really," he said.

"I'm absolutely famished," Frankie said. "I haven't eaten anything since breakfast and that was a half a glass of juice and a stale muffin."

"Will tells us you're a busy woman," Abigail could tell Frankie was nervous and wanted to put her at ease. "Does this mean skipping lunch is an everyday thing?" she smiled.

"Not usually," Frankie said. "Things have just really been hectic lately. It always is right before the season starts, you know?"

"I'm afraid neither of us knows a lot about Quidditch," Abigail said. "As- what's the term Will?"

"Muggles," Will said, closing his menu.

"Right," Abigail smiled as Theodore chuckled at the name. "As Muggles we only know about this sport through what Will tells us."

"Perhaps I could get you some tickets to the opening day match," Frankie offered.

Will glanced at her in surprise. "You'd do that?"

"Of course," Frankie said with a shrug. "I get extra tickets all the time, you know that."

"Well I know," Will said but then let it go as the waiter came to take their order.

Frankie decided to splurge by ordering Shepherd's Pie since she'd not eaten much all day. Will's parents weren't all that bad, she thought as she watched them order. Perhaps this wouldn't be that bad after all.

Will could see his girlfriend (he still thought of her that way even if she didn't want to label what they had) relax and for that he was glad. He had definitely been worried that she wouldn't show up at all and chastised himself now for those thoughts.

"Will said he helped you baby sit this past weekend," Theodore said after the waiter had gone. "I'm sure you had your hands full."

Frankie smiled. "He sure helped me out of a rather tough situation," she told them about the jasmine episode.

"That's priceless!" Abigail chuckled.

"Sounds like you two make a good team," Theodore said winking at Frankie.

Frankie's smile slipped just a bit. "I suppose we do, sure." she laughed weakly.

"Perhaps you should invite Frankie to Christmas dinner with us," Abigail suggested.

Frankie paled. "That's really nice of you to ask, Mrs. Barron. But I can't. Holidays are very important to my family. I wouldn't want to miss it. And it is my niece Emma's first Christmas."

"Some other time then dear," Abigail wasn't fazed. "We'd love you to meet Will's brother and sister."

"You could come for Christmas Eve," Will suggested.

"I'll um... have to see how it goes all right?" Frankie forced a smile onto her face.

The waiter brought some starters out and they all were about to tuck in when Frankie's mobile rang again.

"I promise this is the last time," Frankie said apologetically clicking on her phone. "Yes? Oh no...you can't...."

Will watched in horror as Frankie got up and walked toward the bar.

"You weren't joking when you said she was busy," Theodore said, helping himself to the food that had been placed in front of all of them.

Will gave a weak smile. "I'm sorry Mum and Dad."

"It's all right dear," Abigail said.

Will looked over toward the bar where Frankie was still talking on the phone. Would it have killed her to turn the bloody thing off? It was like one step forward and two steps back with her.

"No, I already told him that we wouldn't be able to make it that weekend. We have a huge game against the Magpies," Frankie turned and saw Will glaring across the restaurant. Couldn't he understand that this was her job? "Listen, I'll talk to you tomorrow all right? I'm at dinner right now and it's important."

"Yes but he really wants your answer on this Frankie," her assistant Magda chirped into the phone. "I can't just tell him no. You know how he gets."

"Tell him I said I'd call tomorrow," Frankie said firmly, not wanting to make Will any angrier than she was sure he already was. "This is a business dinner I'm at and I'm sure I'm already considered rude for him holding us all up forty five minutes later than he should have." she clicked off her phone and this time turned it off completely.

"I convinced the boys to save you some of the starters," Abigail said as Frankie sat back down.

"Thank you," Frankie said. "This time I promise my mobile is off," she tucked it deep inside her bag to prove the point.

The rest of the evening went by uneventfully. Will was cool toward her, but his parents couldn't have been more polite.

"It was really lovely to meet you both," Frankie said after they'd finished dessert and an after dinner drink. She was surprised to realise she'd actually enjoyed this.

"It was a pleasure Frankie," Abigail said giving her a hug. "And I do hope you'll work out something for Christmas. We'd love to have you."

"I'll really try," Frankie replied, looking over at Will.

"I'll ring you guys tomorrow morning," Will promised pecking his mother on the cheek and giving his father a hug. "Thanks for tonight."

"You're welcome darling," Abigail said as she and her husband headed down the pavement.

"Mind if I come back to your place?" Frankie asked once they were alone.

Will shrugged. "If you want..."

Frankie rolled his eyes as he turned and walked ahead of her in the direction of his flat. She had noticed that Will hadn’t really talked to her since the second phone call she had received and even when they were back at his flat, he was in his kitchen looking over some owl post while she used the loo.

“I’d say it went pretty well,” Frankie replied. “Your parents are really nice.”

“Yeah,” Will said absently.

Frankie crossed her arms. “Will are you still angry with me about the calls? I told you that I reamed them out and then I didn’t answer my mobile the rest of the evening.”

“I know,” Will replied a bit sullenly. “But still Frankie- couldn’t you have just turned it off when you got there? It made me look like an arse every time you jumped up and ran off for a call.”

She stepped forward and wound her arms around his waist. “I’m sorry,” she leaned up and gently kissed his lower lip, sucking it between hers. “I didn’t mean to make you look bad.”

Will tried to stay annoyed but what Frankie was doing felt so good he felt his resolve weakening almost immediately. “You’re doing this on purpose,” he mumbled.

“I know,” she pulled back and smiled at him. “And you said we could pick back up where we left off in my office today.”

“I did say that didn’t I?” Will traced over her smooth cheek.

“Mmmhmm…” Frankie leaned in and they kissed again. She felt like crowing in triumph as his arms surrounded her. She wanted him to forget about how she’d been tied to work and she just wanted to get to what they were doing now- what she liked best about being with Will.

Will set her up on the counter as he pulled their bodies close, running his hands through her hair as their lips fused. She tasted like the chocolate mousse she’d had for dessert as he opened her mouth with his.

“Will…” Frankie’s voice was nothing more than a whisper as he picked her up easily and carried her down the hall into his bedroom, kicking the door shut behind them.

He set her down on the bed and they both began peeling their clothes off, the robes, shirts, trousers and her skirt in a jumbled pile on the floor in just seconds. The moonlight shone in the window and on her hair, making it gleam a blue black in colour. “My God you are so gorgeous,” Will whispered.

“Will,” Frankie reached for him. “Kiss me…”

He did exactly as he was told, pressing his mouth back to hers with an urgency that surprised him. Their lovemaking was never needy- it was often slow, almost lazy, and always enjoyable. But that night Will found himself kissing her deeply, pushing himself into her and wanting to show her in every way he could how much he loved her.

They were both lying on their backs, staring at the ceiling while trying to catch their breath. “That was amazing,” he finally said.

“It always is Will,” Frankie said, her eyes closed as she turned on her side and curled up next to him.

“I love you,” he stroked a strand of hair off her sweaty forehead. “I really do Frankie.”

“I know,” she said, her eyes still closed. She could feel her face flush and she hoped Will wouldn’t be able to tell it apart from her already rosy complexion due to their rigorous activities. “I do too…”

Will was silent for a few moments. “Tell me,” he said quietly. “I need to hear it from you sometimes.”

Frankie finally opened her eyes. “You know how I feel Will,” she said softly.

“I know,” Will stroked her cheek.

Frankie stared at him a few long moments. “I love you Will.” She finally whispered. He leaned in and they kissed again.

Will lay awake as Frankie closed her eyes again and fell asleep. He wrapped his arms around her and decided on something that he’d been thinking about doing for a long time now.

He would ask Frankie Longbottom to become his wife.

43. Chapter 43

A/N: Wow you all really came through after our plea for reviews ;) Thanks to those of you who left them- and for those of you wanting more Ethan/Maddie you got what you wished for in this chapter. Also those of you wanting to see the MEAN Malfoys again…. Read on ;)

As always, please let us know what you think!!!

Nick had managed to get an extra day off and he and his family were currently enjoying the sights of Sydney. Ashley and Katie were buying souvenirs in nearly every shop they passed and were currently exclaiming in excitement over the Sydney Opera House.

“I don’t know about you but I’m just glad they’re not fighting,” Julie murmured to him.

"Shhhh," Nick said winking at his wife. "You'll jinx it."

"That's why I'm whispering," Julie laughed, giving him a kiss. "This is a great city Nick."

"Aye," Nick agreed. "It's even better seeing it with you and the girls."

"And Greta's definitely enjoying being back here," Julie said with a grin. "She's having so much fun showing the girls around."

"This is her home," Nick said. "I always felt guilty for making her leave."

"She loves you more than she loves it here." Julie said reassuringly.

Nick smiled. "That's what she keeps telling me."

"Daddy!" Katie cried running over to him. "Can I get this stuffed koala bear?"

Nick scooped his daughter up in his arms. "Katherine, you already have four. Why would you need another one?"

"Because this one has a funny little face!" Katie said. "Please Daddy? And I'm going to give one to Caroline and one to Emma so I'll really only have three if you get me this one."

"Hard to argue with that," Nick said laughing. "But this is the last koala, Katie."

"Okay," Katie said happily. "And Ashley wants the picture book."

Julie reached into her bag and pulled out some money. "Here you go sweetheart."

"Thank you Mummy," Katie ran over to join Ashley in the queue to pay.

"I'm ready for something to eat." Nick said. "How about you?"

Julie nodded. "What did you have in mind?"

"I don't care," Nick said. "What do you think Greta? One of our old favourites?"

"How about Barnaby's?" Greta suggested. "I think Katie and Ashley would love it nearly as much as you used to."

"That sounds great," Nick said. "I remember they were the only place that made decent fish and chips- especially for a Wizarding pub."

"A little taste of home," Julie said. "That sounds brilliant. I'll just go and hurry the girls along."

"All right," Nick said with a grin. "Well..." he said to Greta. "So far so good. No parents."

"Nicholas?" Greta asked. "There's something I think you might want to know."

"What?" Nick asked.

Greta explained how a few months ago Ashley had asked about her paternal grandparents. "Last night when I was tucking them in, she asked again. She's really curious about them, Nicholas."

"Hmm," Nick said. "Well she would probably be the most hurt out of all of us if she DID meet them. They may have calmed down but they're still horrible."

"Hopefully we won't run into them while we're here," Greta said. "But I don't know if Ashley's going to stop asking questions. She told me she wanted to talk to you, but she didn't want to make you sad."

"Trust me, leaving them behind was the best decision I ever made." he smiled at Greta. "I'll talk to Ash tonight about them."

"Okay," Greta said.

"Look Dad!" Ashley said running out of the souvenir shop clutching her picture book. "There's over a thousand pictures in here about Australia. I'm going to try and sketch some of them while we're here."

"I can't wait to see them sweetheart." Nick ran a hand through her silky blonde hair. "You're getting better by the day at drawing."

Ashley smiled. "Thanks Dad."

"We're going to a place called Barnaby’s for dinner," Greta told them. "Your Dad and I used to go there when we lived here."

"Cool," Ashley said thumbing through her book. "But Katie's taking forever in there. She's trying to talk Mum into something else."

"What now?" Nick asked. "Didn't she buy out half the city already?"

Ashley rolled her eyes. "There's some doll house in there that she's convinced she has to have."

"What?" Nick rolled his eyes. "Hey Jules, Katie, let's get a move on all right?" he called inside.

Katie came out of the shop with tears streaming down her face. She had her koala bear, but obviously hadn't managed to convince Julie that she needed the doll house.

"Katie bear," Nick said, scooping her up. "We'd never have been able to get a doll house home."

"You...you could have shrunk it," Katie argued her lower lip trembling.

"Katie- you have three doll houses at home." Ashley said, putting her new picture book in her bag.

Katie stuck her tongue out at her sister.

"So much for peace, love and understanding," Julie said.

"Come on girls," Greta said. "You both promised not to fight remember?"

"Sorry," Ashley muttered.

Katie remained silent.

"Katherine Rose," Nick said warningly.

Katie looked innocently at her father. "What Daddy?"

"Are you going to stop fighting with your sister?" he asked. "And you're not going to pout because you didn't get a doll house?"

"But it had--" Katie started to protest, but another stern look from her father and she nodded.

"All right," Julie said. "We only have another couple of days here and this is our last bit of free time with Daddy."

"Let's go eat then," Ashley said. "I'm hungry."

"What do they have there?" Katie asked as Nick set her down. She clasped her little hand in her father's bigger one.

"A little bit of everything," Nick said looking down at her. "And they have the best chips you'll ever eat, Katie. Even better than back home."

"Really?" Katie loved chips. "I can't wait!"

"She recovers fast, doesn't she?" Ashley remarked to her mother.

"Always does," Julie smiled at her oldest daughter. "You having fun love?"

Ashley nodded. "I'm having a blast Mum."

"Good," Julie smiled. She put her hand protectively on Ashley's shoulder as they walked through the busy streets and back towards the Wizarding section of the city. "You know Nick, you'll probably get mobbed once we go in there."

"Oooh!" Katie said excitedly. "Everyone will look at us!"

"I hate it when everyone stares," Ashley said. "I mean, yeah, Daddy's famous but we're his family and people don't always have to bug us when we're out together."

Julie nodded. She knew all too well how Ashley felt. That was exactly how she used to feel when she would go out with her father somewhere.

"We could do a masking charm," Julie suggested. She pulled out the hat she'd bought for her father in the gift shop. "Or you could put your sunglasses on and wear this hat. Not very glamorous, but still..."

"I'll pass Jules," Nick said dryly. "I can handle a mob- I've done it before."

"Okay, big shot," Julie said. "You go right ahead. Ashley, Greta and me will hang back."

"We'll be fine," Nick stressed. "Come on, I'm really starving and so's my Katie bear."

"Okay," Julie said unconvinced.

True to Nick's word, he got a bit mobbed in the street, but once they got to Barnaby's he asked for them to be put in a corner where they could have some privacy.

"This is really nice," Julie said looking around.

"It hasn't changed a bit," Nick grinned broadly.

"Did you come here when you were little like me?" Katie asked.

"Yes," Nick said. "Greta always brought me here."

Ashley looked across the table at her father. "Didn't Grandma and Grandpa ever bring you here?"

Katie laughed. "They didn't even know Daddy then, Ashley!"

"I meant Dad's mum and dad," Ashley clarified.

"No," Greta replied.

"They were busy people," Nick tried to explain. "I didn't see much of them when I was young like you two. And that's why I had Greta here."

"With work and stuff?" Ashley asked.

"Something like that," Nick nodded. "Trust me Ash, we got lucky with your Mum's parents."

"Can we...can we go and see them while we're here?" Ashley asked still not ready to let this go now that she'd broached the subject.

"I don't think so Ash." Nick said.

"But if they knew we were here," Ashley argued. "They'd want to see us right? We're their grandchildren and they've never met us before."

"The thing with my parents Ashley," Nick began. "Is that they're not very nice. They love themselves and each other, and that's pretty much it."

Ashley nodded. "I don't understand how people could be mean to their own family."

"I don't either sweetheart," Julie said gently. "Fortunately, neither you or your sister will ever have to worry about that."

"How about I take you girls up to the bar so we can order?" Greta suggested. "I think I know what Nick wants. How about you, Julie?"

"Surprise me girls," Julie smiled at her daughters.

"Okay," Katie said scurrying behind Ashley and Greta.

"She's certainly curious." Nick said, watching them go. "And I don't want her hurt by them."

"Me either," Julie said. "She doesn't understand."

"She's still young." Nick replied. "Plus everyone she knows loves her. She can't fathom a grandparent not liking their grandchild because your parents are so fantastic with her and Katie."

"I know," Julie said reaching for his hand. "I wish things could be different."

"Things are the way I want them to be Jules." Nick smiled at his wife. "I love my family."

"And we love you."

"Thank goodness for that," Nick grinned. "Once you stopped slapping me and I stopped using cheesy pick up lines..."

Julie laughed. "Things fell into place from there."

"Aye they certainly did." Nick slid an arm around her.

The Malfoy family enjoyed a nice meal at Barnaby's and did a bit more sightseeing before heading back to their hotel. What they had no way of knowing was that Draco Malfoy and his wife Ginny had just finished their own meal at the very same hotel. Ginny was heading up yet another fundraiser and she and Draco had met with one of their most generous donors.

"You did fabulous yet again Red," Draco said grinning at his wife. "That should warrant some good publicity, I think."

"I do know how to throw the best parties," Ginny said with a sultry wink.

"What would you say about us getting a room?" Draco asked. This was the same hotel that he and Ginny worked at all those years ago when they'd both been desperate for money.

"We could," Ginny said, winding her arms around him. "I always enjoy being alone with you."

"Come on then," he said giving her a kiss. "Let's go."

"All right," Ginny giggled girlishly. She kissed him impulsively.

Nick carried a sleepy Katie in his arms as he and his family walked through the lobby. Before going upstairs, he decided to check the front desk to see if they had any messages.

Ashley yawned. "Hurry up Daddy."

"Sorry baby," Nick smiled at her. "I won't take long I promise."

Ashley nodded and sat down with her mother and Greta to wait for her father.

"Come on Katie bear," Nick whispered patting her on the back. "You come with me."

"Okay Daddy," Katie answered softly. She didn't open her eyes as he carried her to the counter.

"I'm sorry sir," the concierge was saying to someone. "But the penthouse suite is taken. We do have other rooms available."

"But we want the penthouse," Draco argued. "We're offering to pay top dollar for it as well."

"I'm sorry sir," the concierge said again. "We have a very important guest and his family staying there. I couldn't possibly ask them to move."

Nick was down the counter a ways asking the receptionist for his messages when the familiar loud, argumentative voice made his spine stiffen.

"Do you have any idea who I am?" Draco asked. "I'll have you know that I am---"

"Father," Nick said coolly. "Fancy seeing you here."

Ginny who had been quite bored with this conversation looked up at the sound of her son's familiar voice. "Nicholas..." her voice trailed off as she saw the brown-haired little girl in his arms.

"Why are you both here?" Nick asked. "I'd rather hoped I wouldn't run into you while I was here."

"W-what are you doing here?" Ginny asked. "And who is this?"

"I'm here on a short tour," Nick replied. "And this is my youngest daughter, Katie. You're a grandmother."

"A grandmother?" Ginny asked her nose scrunched up in disgust. "I'm not---"

"Daddy?" another little girl called out to them. "Mummy wanted to know what the hold up was?"

"You have two sprogs?" Ginny raised one perfectly groomed eyebrow.

"Yes, I have two children," Nick's eyes flashed angrily as Katie blinked her eyes drowsily.

"What's wrong Daddy?" she asked.

"Nothing," Nick said. "Um, Katie, Ashley. I'd like you to meet your um...this is Draco and this is Ginevra."

Ashley knew those names and a smile spread across her face. "You're our grandparents! Daddy, you said that they wouldn't want to see us, but look! They're here!"

"Yeah," Nick said unenthusiastically as Julie and Greta joined them.

"Oh look at this," Draco said snidely. "The whole gang is here."

"It's nice to meet you," Ashley said stepping closer to Ginny. "I'm Ashley Beth Malfoy."

Ginny simply stared at the young girl without saying a word.

Ashley tentatively held out her hand toward her paternal grandmother, but figured perhaps she was just shy. "We have loads to tell you, of course....you can stop me if I talk too much. I tend to do that when I'm excited..."

"She's like a little Granger, isn't she?" Draco remarked coldly to Julie.

"There's nothing wrong with being like my mother," Julie replied icily. "Better than her being like either one of you."

"That's a really pretty dress," Ashley said trying again to reach out to her grandmother.

"I know it is," Ginny said. "Come on Draco. I'd rather go home since we can't get the penthouse."

"We're staying in the penthouse," Nick said not able to resist throwing out this little tidbit of information to his father.

"But you can't leave," Ashley said tugging at Ginny's arm. "We have to talk and get to know each other. You came to see us, didn't you?"

Julie put a hand on her daughter's shoulder. "Ash, sweetheart come stand by me."

"But Mum..."

"Daddy," Katie said tugging on her father's arm. "I don't feel too good. I think I'm going to be..."

Before Nick could pull away, Katie had turned green and thrown up all over Draco.

Draco stood stock still, a disgusted expression on his face. "Why you little..."

Greta quickly grabbed some wipes from her bag and handed them to Nick.

"Here," Nick thrust them roughly at his father as Katie began to cry. "I'm really sorry. Its okay baby," Nick said soothingly. "We probably shouldn't have let you have so many sweets today..."

"You should punish the miserable half-breed," Draco said icily.

"I'm going to take the girls upstairs," Greta said glaring at both Ginny and Draco. "Come on Katie."

Julie stayed by her husband's side as Greta led their daughters away. "So you two are still miserable and treating others badly I see. I can't believe at one point we thought you'd both have changed."

Draco took out his wand and cleaned himself up. "Well you've done some things we don't agree with either. Marrying her is at the top of the list."

"I don't need your approval," Nick said angrily. "My life without the two of you in it is fantastic."

"Blah, blah, blah," Draco said sarcastically.

"How old are they?" Ginny asked. "The children, I mean."

"Ashley is eight," Julie answered. "And Katie's six."

"Oh," Ginny said nodding.

Julie raised an eyebrow, wondering if Ginny Malfoy was actually feeling maternal. She still couldn't believe sometimes that these despicable people were her in laws.

"The older one looks like..." Ginny started to say, but her voice trailed off. "It doesn't matter."

"What?" Nick asked, his arms crossed.

"She just reminds me of you," Ginny replied quietly.

"As she should," Nick rolled his eyes. "She's my daughter."

"I like her better than the other one," Draco said coldly. "She didn't throw up on me at least."

"They have names," Julie seethed. "Though knowing you two, you'll probably forget them the second you walk out the door."

"We have no reason to remember them at all you Mudblood spawn," Draco sneered.

Nick lunged for his father, but Julie held him back. "He's not worth it! Nick!"

Nick took one look at his wife and calmed down. "You're right Jules. And it's not worth any publicity either."

"We should go and check on the girls," Julie said still holding on to her husband.

"Right." Nick didn't want to waste any more time on his parents. "I hope I won't run into either of you, ever again."

"That would be quite the blessing," Draco returned, a nasty glint in his eyes. "Come on Red."

Ginny looked as if she wanted to say something else, but thought better of it and followed her husband out of the hotel.

"The bloody fucking nerve," Nick fumed once they were in the elevator. "And of all the fucking hotels to be in tonight!"

"I know," Julie said folding her arms. "I wanted to punch your father's lights out too..."

"I wish you'd let me," he said ruefully. "He could use a good knock in the chops."

The lift pinged open and Julie reminded her husband to get control of his emotions before they saw the girls. "They're going to need to be reassured, Nick."

"I know," he muttered. "Especially Ash. This is exactly what I was afraid of." they started down the corridor towards the penthouse. "But I'll never forget the look on his face when Katie threw up on him."

Julie giggled. "That was priceless, wasn't it?"

"Quite," Nick smiled. He fumbled with the card for a few moments before opening the door to their suite.

Katie was sitting up in her bed with a cold rag on her forehead. Greta was sitting on the edge of the Ashley's bed where the older girl was crying.

"Sweetheart," Julie went over to Ashley while Nick tended to Katie. "Oh angel please don't cry."

"Daddy was right, wasn't he?" Ashley sobbed into her mother's shoulder. "They d-didn't like us!"

"I wish I could say he was wrong," Julie stroked her daughter's hair. "But they're horrible people Ash. They don't like anyone."

"I didn't mean to throw up on your Daddy," Katie apologised to Nick. "I just felt really icky and I didn't have time to..."

"That's all right Katie bear," Nick said. "How are you feeling now?"

"Better," Katie replied. "Greta gave me some ginger ale."

"Good," Nick smoothed her brown curls back. "No more sweets tomorrow though okay?"

Katie nodded. "Okay."

"They're nothing like Grandma and Grandpa," Ashley said loyally. "Grandma and Grandpa would never have treated us like that."

"No they wouldn't," Nick agreed holding his arm out for Ashley. "And even though Daddy's parents are awful, your mum and I still love you both more than anything on earth." he handed Ashley a new tissue.

"We love you too," Ashley said giving her father a hug. "And Greta."

Greta smiled at the young girl. "Thank you dear. I love you both as well."

"Hey Katie?" Ashley asked looking at her sister.

"What?" Katie asked, rubbing her eyes with the cold washcloth.

"It was pretty cool when you threw up on that man," Ashley said.

Katie giggled. "I wanted to laugh except my stomach hurt."

"Well done little sister," Ashley said giving her sister a hug causing Greta, Nick and Julie to grin. That wasn't something you saw every day.

"I bet you're just glad it wasn't you," Katie teased her sister.

"Too right you brat," Ashley said affectionately.

"All right," Nick scooped Ashley up off the bed. "It's late so I want you two in bed and asleep all right?"

"Okay Daddy," Ashley said giving Nick a kiss on the cheek. “Can I sleep in here with Katie tonight?”

“Sure,” Nick said, sharing a surprised glance with Julie. “I’m sure she’d like that.” Katie nodded eagerly.

Julie helped Ashley into her pyjamas while Greta got Katie into hers. "All right my girls." she kissed Ashley's forehead and then did the same for her younger daughter. "I love you both."

"Love you too," Katie said sleepily.

"Night Mum," Ashley said.

Julie and Greta left a nightlight on and then closed the door behind them. Nick was busy making himself a drink at the mini bar in the main room.

"What a day this has been, eh?" Julie asked.

"You can say that again," Nick muttered. "I hate them so much."

"What happened after I took the girls upstairs?" Greta asked knowing that it couldn't have ended well. Things with Nicholas' parents rarely did.

"Just more of the same Greta," Nick replied. "The same way they've always been."

Greta nodded. "I'm just sorry Ashley and Katie had to see it."

"So am I," Nick said grimly, finishing his drink.

"Well, it's over and done with, and hopefully now Ashley won't want to ask any more questions about them." Julie replied.

"Aye," Nick said. "But why doesn't that make me feel any better? Those two little girls didn't need to see that Jules. They're sweet and beautiful and they're...they're better than..."

"I know," Julie said softly.

"I just wish I could take it back," Nick muttered.

"You can't change anything that happened," Greta said smiling reassuringly at Nick. "You can keep doing what you're doing..."

"Which is?" Nick asked.

"Being the great father that you are," Greta said. "Those girls love you, Nick. And you're giving them what you didn't have growing up."

"I'm trying," he said. "I feel like I'm not around enough--"

"That's nonsense," Greta told him.

"You have a busy career," Julie said. "But you're still around Nick. You still put aside time for us."

"And you're never gone for more than a week at a time," Greta said. She could still remember how Nick used to go weeks without seeing either Draco or Ginny when he was growing up. And when they did come home, they barely acknowledged his existence.

"I guess," Nick replied.

"And you brought us with you on your tour," Julie wound her arms around his middle. "Come on Nicholas, stop fishing for compliments."

"I just don't want to ever be like either of them," Nick said solemnly. "Ever."

"You aren't," Julie said firmly. "You aren't made of ice and sarcasm and all those other horrible things. You're sweet, warm, funny, and loving."

Nick smiled. "You forgot handsome."

"See?" Julie laughed. "I knew you were fishing."

"And I have you," Nick said giving his wife a kiss.

"That you do." Julie kissed him back. "Come on, let's go to bed."

"Night Greta," Nick said. "Thanks... for everything. Again." he grinned at her.

Greta laughed. "I didn't do anything Nicholas."

"You're just a good voice of reason around here," Nick winked at her.

"Good night," Greta said still smiling at them.

Julie smiled back at her as she led her husband into the bedroom. "Part of me doesn't want to go back home," she said. "I've really enjoyed being here with you Nick."

"I've enjoyed being here with you and the girls," Nick said. "I finally have some good memories of this place."

Julie kissed him. "Allow me to give you a few more of those?"

Nick grinned. "I think that can be arranged."

*** *** ***

"Daddy?" Saffron asked as she helped her father carry boxes of decorations down the stairs of her grandparents' home. "Since Ashley and Katie aren't here to do it, will you lift me up to put the star on top of the tree when we're done decorating?"

"Sure," he said. "You've missed doing that, haven't you?"

"Well it's tradition that the youngest get to put it up there," Saffron pointed out. "And right now I'm the youngest."

"And you like that, don't you?" he teased.

Saffron grinned. "Maybe," she said with a laugh.

"This has to be the biggest tree I've ever seen," Elinore was saying as Ethan and Seamus finished putting it in the tree stand. "I'm surprised you managed to get it in the house!"

"We have our ways Grandma," Ethan grinned at Seamus. "Magic."

"It helps to have a wizard or two in the family," Elinore said laughing.

Saffron sat down beside her grandfather on the sofa handing him a string of lights. "You doing okay, Grandpa?"

"Fine, fine dear," Robert replied. "Better once we get these lights untangled."

Saffron smiled sideways at him. She couldn't have imagined celebrating the holiday without him. "Happy Christmas, Grandpa."

"Happy Christmas," Robert smiled back at her. "I'm glad you're home for the holiday." he leaned in. "Don't tell anyone, but I got you a special gift- I kept it in the boot. We'll sneak out after the tree decorating and you can open it tonight."

"A special gift?" Saffron whispered grinning at him. "Really? Grandpa, you didn't have to..."

"It's our little secret," Robert's eyes twinkled at her.

Saffron beamed back at him and the two of them set about untangling the lights.

"You know we could take care of that for you with a simple wave of a wand," Harry offered.

Robert shook his head. "Some things are tradition, Harry. Besides, this is probably all Ellie will allow me to do."

"You've got that right Robert," Elinore replied. "You've been entirely too active lately."

"I have not," Robert protested. "I haven't been overextending myself. You worry too much. In fact, I never need to worry because I know you're worrying enough for the both of us."

"Dad stop," Hermione came into the room with a tray of eggnog, Lavender behind her with a platter of biscuits and scones. "Mum's right, you've been up and about with Christmas shopping and trying to check back in at your old office."

"Would you two be happy if I just stayed in bed all afternoon and watched the telly?" Robert asked sarcastically.

"Yes," Hermione, Lavender and Elinore all said at once.

"He's doing okay Mum," Saffron said loyally. "We take it easy when we go for our walks. Don't we, Grandpa?"

"Of course we do," Robert said. "It takes three quarters of an hour to go around the block because that's how fast my Saffy will let me go."

"Give him a break," Seamus said helping himself to a scone.

"Look at you kissing up like always," Harry said.

Seamus smirked at his friend. "I'm good at it Potter."

"Uncle Robert has always liked Seamus," Lavender said kissing her husband on the cheek. "Unlike some people."

"What do you mean Aunt Lav?" Saffron asked as she gingerly worked on her string of lights. "Who didn't Grandpa like?"

"Your dad," Lavender sing-songed.

Saffron looked incredulously at her grandfather. "You didn't like Dad? How come?"

Robert coughed. "That's not entirely true, Saffy. I've always liked your father."

"You have not," Harry argued with a teasing glint in his eye. "Does the name Hillsdale mean anything to you?"

Robert became extremely interested in his string of lights and Saffron looked quizzically at her father. "That's where you and Mum met, right?"

"Aye," Harry grinned. "It was."

"It's all water under the bridge Saffy," Robert said hastily.

"Your grandpa didn't really know your father when we were at Hillsdale," Hermione explained. She knew Saffron wasn't going to give this up that easily. Her daughter could be quite tenacious when she wanted to know something. "But once they got to know each other, things changed."

"But how come he didn't like him right away?" Saffron insisted.

Hermione shot her cousin a 'see what you started look'. "There were a few misunderstandings."

"Like what?" Saffron asked curiously.

"I-I might have snuck out a few times to see your father," Hermione said quietly.

Lavender guffawed. "Might have?"

Hermione glared at Lavender. "We had to keep things a secret from everyone for awhile and your grandpa didn't like that." she didn't want to divulge that her father had thought Chiaki was Harry's daughter at first.

"I still don't understand," Saffron said quietly. The two most important men in her life were her father and grandfather. She couldn't imagine the two of them not liking each other.

"I was wrong Saffy," Robert said putting his hand on hers.

"About what?" Saffron asked.

Robert took a deep breath and seemed to be considering his words very carefully. "I didn't think your father was good enough for Hermione."

"But he is," Saffron said, confused. "Daddy's the best there ever was."

"I didn't know that at the time Saffron," Robert explained. "That was years ago, sweetheart. And I couldn't ask for a better son-in-law. And he's made your mother very happy and because of him, I have you and Julie and Ethan."

Harry grinned at him. "We don't have any hard feelings between us sweetheart." he said to Saffron.

"Except on the golf course," Robert joked.

Saffron laughed. "Well, that's because Daddy stinks."

Harry's smile faded as everyone else laughed. "Gee thanks," he said sarcastically, mussing his daughter's hair.

"Watch it Saf," Ethan cautioned taking a string of lights from her. "Dad might cut your ration of presents."

Saffron snorted. "Dad would never do that to me."

"She's going to play the baby of the family card again," Ethan said rolling his eyes in mock exasperation.

Saffron smiled sweetly at him. "So Ethan," she said in a crafty tone. "Are you and Maddie celebrating your one year at Christmas or is half year since you technically didn't get together until June?" she grinned at the blonde who had been perched on the edge of the sofa going through a box.

Maddie looked thoughtfully at her boyfriend. "I guess it would be more like a half-year..."

"She's just being a smart arse Mads," Ethan sat down next to his girlfriend.

"She's just being curious," Maddie said smiling at him. "R.J.'s the same way."

Ethan put an arm around her as she continued to dig through the box. "I can't wait until you see what I got you for Christmas," he said softly.

"Do I get a hint?" she asked. "A teeny tiny hint?"

"No way," Ethan grinned. "Knowing you, you'll probably see it or something." he teased.

Maddie smiled. "I haven't seen anything, I promise."

She dug through the ornaments and saw a gold Santa Claus with the engraving "Ethan's First Christmas".

"I remember this," Ethan grinned. "I was wondering where it went to- I forgot that we brought it here when I was five to put it on the tree and I never took it back home."

Maddie smiled and handed the ornament to him. "I really am happy you asked me to come with you tonight."

Ethan gave her a kiss. "I'm glad you were able to come. I love spending time with you Maddie Molly."

"I love being with you too," she said softly. She hoped that with the Christmas holidays they'd both be able to spend more time together.

Hermione took a string of lights from Saffron and walked up the step ladder to put them on the tree.

"That looks good Mum," Saffron said, grabbing for the last string of lights.

"Thanks sweetheart," she said smiling down at her. "You know your grandpa never hated your father. Not really, right?"

"I hope not," Saffron glanced at the two men who were laughing about something with Seamus. "Cause they get along great now."

"Now your Great-Grandpa Malcolm, he was another story," Hermione said with a grin as she remembered how cantankerous he used to be. He'd died long before Saffron's birth. "He didn't like anyone except for me, your grandmother and Lavender."

Saffron giggled. "So he didn't even like Grandpa?"

"No," Hermione said shaking her head. "You should have seen him with your Uncle Ron. And I'll let you know something. If you want to terrify your Uncle Ron, all you have to do is mention the name Malcolm Brown and watch what happens."

Saffron began to laugh. "I'll do that next time I see him. That'll be funny."

Between the two of them, they managed to finish stringing the lights. When Lavender took over to string some garland, Hermione and Saffron decided to take a snack break.

"We're doing a really good job Mum," Saffron took a glass of egg nog. "This tree is going to look so pretty when we're done."

"I think so too," Hermione said. "And don't forget we still have to do our tree at home too."

Harry grabbed the scone from Hermione's hand and sat down beside his daughter. "Me and Saffy are going to go pick one out tomorrow, right?"

Hermione reached for the scone but Harry used the opportunity to pull his wife onto his lap.

"I was going to eat that you know," Hermione said glaring at him.

"I know," Harry replied, taking a large bite.

"You could at least share," she said pouting at him..

"I could," Harry stuffed the rest into his mouth. "Maybe you'd like to have a scone in the kitchen with me?"

Saffron rolled her eyes at her parents' exchange and went over by her brother. "They're doing it again," she complained.

"Doing what?" Maddie asked looking up from the box of ornaments she and Ethan were going through.

"That," Saffron pointed at her father who was whispering in her mother's ear. "They're going to go off and snog again."

"What's so wrong with that?" Ethan nudged Maddie's ear with his nose.

Saffron rolled her eyes. "Great, not you two as well!"

"Once you get a boyfriend you'll want to do the same thing," Ethan teased her.

"Ewww gross," Saffron said wincing. "Like I'd want some nasty boy's tongue down my throat!"

Ethan and Maddie both laughed. "I used to say the same thing," he told his sister.

"What, that you didn't want a boy's tongue in your throat?" Saffron asked slyly.

Maddie laughed so hard she started to cry.

"Saffron Grace," Ethan said with clenched teeth.

"What?" Saffron said with an innocent look.

"You know very well what," Ethan told her a gleam in his eye as he reached for his sister and started to tickle her unmercifully.

"Ethan!" she squealed. "Stop!"

"Never!" Ethan said with an evil laugh.

Maddie was still giggling uncontrollably. "Ethan you have to admit that was funny." she finally wheezed.

"You're next Weasley," Ethan said over his shoulder.

"Only if you can catch me first," Maddie jumped off the sofa.

"A challenge," Ethan said rubbing his hands together and taking off after his girlfriend.

"Ethan!" Elinore gasped as he ran precariously past the tree. "Be careful!"

"They're hopeless Grandma," Saffron said, catching her breath as Ethan and Maddie ran outside. "Like bloody children."

Elinore laughed. "How about you help me get some more scones? We're nearly out."

Saffron nodded and she followed her grandmother into the kitchen.

"So has Grandpa really been too active when I'm not here?" Saffron asked.

"You know how he's never been one to just sit around, right?" Elinore asked as she opened up a fresh pastry box. "He just hates not being able to do the things he always used to."

"But he just can't do them anymore," Saffron helped her grandmother arrange them on a platter.

"I keep trying to tell him that," Elinore said. "But he is doing so much better. And you have so much to do with that Saffy. I don't know what we would have done without you."

Saffron beamed with pride. "I'm glad that Daddy was able to arrange for me to come home on weekends to help out."

"Me too," Elinore said grinning back at her. "And I know your parents have loved having you back too. It's not easy to send your children away."

"I miss everyone so much while I'm gone." Saffron said, watching her brother and Maddie outside in the back. It was snowing and he had lifted her up and they were spinning around together, laughing.

"We miss you too, but we're so proud of all that you've done," Elinore said. "Your mother told me that you're the best in your year."

"I'm trying really hard," Saffron replied. "It's sure not easy with some of my professors though."

"Don't let them get you down," Elinore said picking up the platter. "You're a bright, charming and beautiful girl. And anyone who can't see that, well..."

"Thanks Grandma," Saffron smiled at her. "I love you."

"I love you too sweetheart," Elinore said handing her the platter. "How about you take this out and I'll make some hot chocolate?"

"Okay," Saffron agreed. She stole a glance outside and was amused to see her brother tumble into the snow, still holding Maddie around the waist.

"Nice going," the blonde teased. "Getting us all cold and wet."

"You're the one who started this," he said laughing.

"But I didn't ask you to drop us," she giggled, tossing her hair out of her eyes.

"It was just my excuse to do this," he said bringing her down for a kiss.

Maddie melted against him, the cold forgotten as their kiss heated up.

Ethan wrapped his arms tightly around her wanting to feel every inch of her.

"Ethan," she murmured. "Why can't it always be like this?" she asked between kisses. "Why can't we spend every night together?"

"We could," Ethan said softly. "You could always move in with me."

She opened her eyes. "Move in with you?" she repeated.

"It was just a suggestion," Ethan said quietly.

"I don't know what to say," Maddie whispered.

Ethan watched as Maddie sat up, a bewildered expression on her face. "You don't have to, Mads. I was just thinking out loud really."

She looked at him a long moment as the wind blew a few strands of hair into her eyes. "Part of me wants to," she confessed. "Really, really wants to."

"It's too soon," he told her sensing her thoughts. "And we both decided to wait until after we were married to..."

"But we're also in love," Maddie answered quietly. "And just because we live together doesn't mean we have to have sex."

"But you know as well as I do that if we did, we'd be really, really tempted," Ethan said. He reached for her hand. "I'm not trying to pressure you Mads. And we don't have to rush into anything."

"We've faced temptation plenty of times," Maddie took both his hands in hers and led him over to the wooden bench just outside the back door. "Like that one night with the champagne..."

"I thought you never wanted to discuss that again," Ethan joked sitting down.

"I try not to remember it," Maddie laughed. She sat down next to him. "But really though... now that you brought that up, I can tell you that I've already thought about it before," she said, becoming serious.

"You have?" he asked looking at her.

"A few times," Maddie answered. "Have you thought it before now?"

Ethan scratched the nape of his neck nervously. "Yes. I think of how great it is to go to sleep with you beside me and how wonderful it feels to wake up next to you."

Maddie felt her face heat up at his words. "I love that too," she whispered. "I never wake up happier than I do when it's with you."

Ethan smiled and hugged her close to him. "You make me so happy."

She buried her face in his shoulder. "Why don't we then?" she asked after a few moments of silence between them. "Why don't we try living together?"

"Really?" Ethan asked in surprise. He hadn't expected her to say yes and his question earlier had really been him thinking out loud. "You really want to?"

"Yeah," Maddie answered as he pulled back to look at her. "I love you Ethan. I hate it on the days I can't see you. This way we can spend some time together every day no matter what."

Ethan beamed at her. "Madeline Molly, that's the best Christmas present you could have ever given me!"

She laughed. "You're the best thing that ever happened to me Ethan James."

"Now we just have to break the news to your parents," he said with a wry grin.

"They won't take it too hard I don't think," she said as he brushed her hair from her eyes.

"Let's go tell mine the good news," Ethan said squeezing her hand. "Or did you want to wait until we spoke with yours?"

"No let's tell them now," Maddie said excitedly.

"Okay," Ethan said giving her one last kiss before they went inside. Ethan saw his father lifting his little sister up so she could place the star atop the tree.

"Looks great," he said. "Don’t drop Saffy Dad."

"Shut it you," Saffron said glaring at him over her shoulder.

Ethan laughed. "You haven't escaped a tickling altogether."

"Will you just shut up and let me hang the star?" Saffron asked. "You never act like this when Katie and Ashley do it."

"It's because it's you Saffy Grace." Ethan said, his arm around Maddie.

"Dad make him stop!" Saffron asked still holding the star. "He's ruining the moment!"

"Just put it up there," Ethan laughed.

"Dad!" Saffron said looking down at her father. "Please? Make him stop!"

"Ethan James," Harry gave his son a look.

Maddie put her hand over Ethan's mouth to keep him quiet while Saffron placed the star on the tree.

"Grandpa?" Saffron asked when Harry set her back down. "Do you want to do the honours by turning on the lights?"

"Of course dear," Robert leaned on his cane as he reached for the light switch.

Everyone stared in awe at the large tree now decorated completely with lights, ornaments and garland.

"It's perfect," Saffron proclaimed beaming up at the tree. "Absolutely perfect."

"Aye it is sweetheart," Robert patted the spot next to him on the sofa.

Saffron sat down beside him and rested her head on his shoulder.

"Don't smile too brightly Saf," Ethan teased. "The lights are reflecting off your braces."

"Sod off Ethan," Saffron glared at him. "I'm getting them off really soon and then my smile will be nicer than yours!"

"Why are you being so snarky?" Maddie asked elbowing him. "Be nice. It's Christmas."

Ethan laughed. "Come on Mads, let's tell everyone our news."

"What news?" Hermione asked curiously.

Maddie looked over at Ethan letting him take the lead.

"Maddie and I are going to move in together," Ethan said happily.

"You are?" Saffron squealed, forgetting how annoyed she was with her brother. "When? Can I help you move in Maddie?"

Maddie laughed. "Well we haven't really discussed specifics, really. But we'd love to have your help, Saffy."

"This is so exciting!" Saffron grinned.

"Congratulations love," Hermione hugged her son.

"Thanks Mum," Ethan said hugging her back. "And don't worry, I'll still visit all the time. Well, maybe not all the time, but more than I have lately."

Hermione beamed at her son while Harry gave Maddie a kiss on the cheek. "I think this is wonderful," he said warmly to the young woman.

"Really?" Maddie asked smiling back at him. "I hope Mum and Dad will see it that way too."

"I think they will," Harry replied. "You're a smart, sensible girl Maddie. I don't know how Ethan managed to get so lucky." he joked.

Maddie laughed. "He's the best, Uncle Harry."

"Hear that Dad?" Ethan put his arm around his girlfriend. "The best."

Saffron rolled her eyes. "Maddie, you and I might need to have a little talk about what living with Ethan will be like. I feel you should be warned about what you are getting yourself into..."

Maddie laughed. "I have a pretty good idea," she leaned against him.

"You're just seeing the good stuff," Saffron said. "There's loads of bad stuff too."

"Saffy," Harry gave his daughter a look. "This is a happy occasion all right?"

"Yes Daddy," Saffron said. She noticed her grandfather inching toward the front door. He was probably ready to give her that present he'd mentioned earlier. She stepped slyly away from her parents, Lavender and Seamus as they were congratulating Maddie and Ethan.

"Robert?" Elinore called out. "Where do you think you're going? And without a coat? You'll catch your death out there!"

"I'll be fine Ellie," Robert said exasperatedly. "Saffy and I are just going out to the car for a moment."

"Not without your coat, you're not!" Elinore said going to the hall closet and pulling out his heavy wool coat.

Robert caught Saffron's eye and rolled his. "Yes dear," he appeased his wife.

Saffron grabbed her cloak when she saw her mother looking her way. "Got it Mum!"

"Where are you two going?" Hermione asked.

"Out for a minute," Saffron said. "Grandpa forgot something in the car. We'll be right back. I promise."

"All right dear," Hermione smiled at her daughter then went to help Elinore in the kitchen.

"Okay Grandpa," Saffron said once they were outside. "It's so hard to sneak out with that lot in there."

Robert slowly ambled down the stone steps with Saffron's help. He pulled his car keys out of his trousers pocket and handed them to Saffron. "Don't get too excited. I'm not giving you the car."

"Maybe in another few years right?" Saffron giggled. "Is it in the boot?"

"Yes," Robert said. "Open it up and see."

Saffron unlocked the back end of the car and gasped. "Grandpa!" she lifted the bag out. "You got me my own set of golf clubs?"

Robert nodded. "I know you get tired of using my old ones and with how good you are, I thought you deserved your own set. The bloke in the pro shop said that they were what all the professional ladies use."

Saffron hugged her grandfather as tightly as she dared. "I can't wait to use them Grandpa. Thank you so much!"

"I should be thanking you sweetheart," he said hugging her back. "I wouldn't have come as far as I have without you."

"I love you so much," Saffron said as tears swelled in her eyes.

"I love you too sweetheart," Robert said kissing the top of her head. "There's not a thing on this earth I wouldn't do for you."

"Same here Grandpa," Saffron smiled up at him. "I'm so glad you're doing better and better."

"Tell your grandma that," Robert said.

"I will," Saffron giggled as she wiped her eyes. "Can I go in and show these off?"

"Sure," Robert said. "Hopefully by this spring, we'll be able to play again like we used to."

"I bet we will," Saffron said loyally. "And don't think I'm going to take it easy on you either!"

"I wouldn't have it any other way," Robert said laughing.

"Look everybody!" Saffron crowed when they were back inside. "Look what Grandpa gave me!"

"Whoa, Saf!" Ethan exclaimed. "Those are nice!"

"I picked out the bag," Lavender chimed in. "Did you see? Your initials are engraved on the side, see?"

"This is perfect Aunt Lav," Saffron hugged her. "I can't wait to use these!"

"Going to give up the idea of professional Quidditch for a life on the links?" Harry asked his daughter.

"She could do both," Elinore said putting an arm around her.

"That's a good idea Grandma," Saffron said excitedly. "I bet I could handle both!"

"I see a bright, bright future for you," Maddie said imitating their old Divination Professor Trelawney.

Harry, Seamus and Ethan all groaned. "Boy is that a blast from the past and not a pleasant one," Seamus said.

"That old bat would buy anything," Ethan said laughing. "As long as it had enough death and destruction in it, she'd give you top marks."

"That's my boy," Harry clapped Ethan's shoulder.

"I'm so glad I have Firenze this year," Saffron said.

"Now he was great," Harry said to Seamus. "Remember how Parvati Patil used to moon over him?"

"When she wasn't mooning over Ron," Seamus said cackling.

"It's the Hogwarts gossip hour," Hermione rolled her eyes.

"Better than that hearing about Jean Pierre and Jean Philippe, and Jean Claude," Seamus said looking over at his wife. "How many blokes named Jean did you go out with at Beauxbatons, love?"

Lavender turned red. "None of your business."

"Six," Hermione grinned at her cousin.

"It wasn't that many!" Lavender said defensively. "At least I never got all hot and bothered over some sixth year named Maurice like my bookish cousin here."

"Maurice?" Harry raised an eyebrow. "You fancied a bloke named Maurice?"

This time it was Hermione who turned crimson.

"No," Hermione said. "I never fancied him. I tutored him in Ancient Runes."

"You just to doodle his name on spare pieces of parchment with little hearts drawn around it," Lavender teased.

"That wasn't Maurice," Hermione shot back. "That was Martin."

"You looked like that scrawny loser, too?" Lavender asked the smile falling from her face. "Hermione! He used to pick his nose!"

"He did not!" Hermione returned. "He had allergies- unlike Jean Claude who used to put his hand in his trousers during class!"

"He did not!" Lavender retorted. "He told me he was rubbing his lucky coin. He kept in his trousers pocket. So there!"

"You actually bought that!" Hermione exclaimed laughing.

"Well at least MY boyfriend never picked his nose," Lavender said folding her arms. "Allergies, my big foot!"

"Big is right," Hermione argued. "And Martin wasn't my boyfriend he was just a study partner."

"And just think Saffy," Ethan said. "Our father could have been named Maurice or some bloke named Martin who picked his nose."

"Never," Hermione said. "Your father was the only one I truly had eyes for."

"I don't know," Harry said looking sadly at his wife. "It's like I'm seeing a whole new side of you, Hermione. Maurice?"

"At least he didn't play with himself," Hermione muttered.

"He wasn't---" Lavender opened her mouth to respond, but was cut off by Seamus.

"Enough!" he said. "I really don't want to hear anymore about Martin the Nose Picker and Jean Claude and his lucky coin."

"Agreed," Harry said. "In fact, Elinore's just told me that she got us all some pumpkin pie and I'd love a piece... or four." he grinned.

"Grandma didn't make it did she?" Ethan asked. "Or Mum?"

"No smart arse," Hermione said. "She got it from a bakery down the street."

"Just checking," Ethan said with a relieved sigh. "Just checking."

44. Chapter 44

Authors’ note: Hi guys! This is Amy posting tonight. I would like to wish my co-author a Happy Birthday! October 30th is Heaven’s birthday! And to all of our readers, Happy Halloween!

CHAPTER FORTY FOUR

"Make sure you don't eat all those chocolate ones," Hermione warned Harry. They were awaiting the arrival of Nick and Julie and the girls. They'd returned from Sydney that morning and promised to stop by after they'd settled back in. "Those are for Katie and Ashley."

"It's not me you have to worry about," Harry said carrying the platter into the sitting room. "It's Saffy."

"I'm not the one who just plopped six of them in my mouth," Saffron shot back with a grin.

"Nark," Harry replied. "I thought you were on my side Saffy."

"I am until you start trying to blame it all on me Dad," Saffron said plopping down on the sofa beside her mother.

"I hope they had a good time," Harry said. "Without running into them."

Before Hermione could respond, Saffron chimed in. "You mean Nick's horrible mum and dad?"

"That would be them," Hermione sighed. "Worst people you'd ever want to meet."

Saffron shook her head. "You obviously haven't spent much time with Smelly Snape."

Harry laughed. "They're tied with him. That's how bad they are Saffy."

"Poor Nick," Saffron commented. "That's pretty bad."

"He's lucky he didn't turn out like them," Harry said. "That's Greta's good influence. I wonder how Draco and Ginny got tied up with her in the first place."

"Best decision those two ever made," Hermione agreed.

The fireplace came to life at that moment and Julie stepped out with Katie, followed by Nick, Ashley and Greta just a split second later.

Harry, Hermione and Saffron stood up to welcome them, but before anyone could say anything Ashley launched herself at her grandfather.

"Ash?" Harry asked with a laugh. "Did you miss your old Grandpa?"

"Yes," Ashley said, burying her face in his shoulder. "A lot."

"I missed you too," he said hugging her tightly.

Katie giggled when Hermione picked her up. "Grandma! I can't wait to tell you about our trip! We had so much fun! Up until the point when I threw up..."

"You threw up darling?" Hermione asked.

"All over the mean man at the hotel," Katie said. "I would have felt sorry, but he was really mean, Grandma."

"Mean man eh," Harry looked over at his oldest daughter who nodded.

"Guess it couldn't be avoided," Nick said in a light tone to benefit his daughters. "We ran into my parents at the hotel."

"I can't believe I actually wanted to meet them," Ashley said sadly still holding onto Harry.

"Baby," Harry kissed her cheek. "It's their loss if they don't get to know what a sweet, beautiful little girl you are. You and your sister both."

"They're just not how I pictured grandparents to be," Ashley said resting her head on Harry's shoulder. "Not like you and Grandma."

"We want to be the best for you both," Hermione nuzzled Katie's soft cheek.

"You are," Katie said softly. "And we even brought you something from Cindy."

Ashley was so happy to be with her grandparents, she decided to let that slide and not correct her sister.

"You did?" Hermione asked. "That's very sweet of you both."

"Mummy where's our bag?" Katie asked excitedly.

"Right here," Julie said handing over the big bag the girls had packed the souvenirs and presents in.

"You did remember your favourite aunt, didn't you?" Saffron asked pinching Katie's nose.

"Yes," Katie giggled. "Ashley and me made something for you."

"Made something for me?" Saffron asked. "Should I be scared?"

"No," Ashley said to her aunt. "Here." she had drawn a picture of the Sydney Opera House from the picture book her parents had gotten her and she and Katie had carefully painted and coloured it in.

Saffron grinned at her nieces. "You guys! This is fantastic! I am going to put this in a frame and put it beside my bed at Hogwarts."

Ashley smiled proudly. "I'm glad you like it Aunt Saffy."

"I do," Saffron said. "And you two are going to have to tell me everything you did."

"Okay," Ashley agreed as Katie pulled out the gifts they'd gotten for their grandparents.

"Open the big one first," Katie told Harry.

"Okay sweetheart," Harry chuckled. "Hey look at this!" he said once he'd peeled back the paper.

"It's not a real one Grandpa," Katie said. "So it won't bite you."

"It's a... crocodile figure!" Harry laughed. "I'm putting this in my office."

"We saw real ones!" Ashley said. "And Katie and I even got to feed one!"

"That's so cool," Saffron said from where she was admiring her new picture. "I'd like to do that sometime."

"We should have asked you along," Julie said. "But I know you wanted to spend time with Grandma and Grandpa. Next time we go, you can come with us Saf."

"Okay," Saffron agreed with a grin. "Can you take me backstage so I can see everything Nick?"

"Sure," Nick replied.

"I don't think so," Harry said quickly. "You're too young to see everything."

"Dad I'm fourteen," Saffron said. "I'm not THAT young!"

"I'd go with her," Julie offered. "You know I wouldn't let her get into any trouble."

"All right," Harry relented.

"What did you think was going to happen, Dad?" Saffron teased. "I'd go backstage and some guitar player would turn me on to sex, drugs and rock and roll?"

"Saffy!" Hermione said trying not to laugh.

"What? It's true Mum," Saffron argued.

"I worry because you are my baby," Harry clarified.

Saffron turned red. "You promised you wouldn't call me that in front of everyone." she whispered furiously.

"Well you are," Harry said with a grin. "But you're right, I did promise. In front of others, you are not my baby. How's that?"

Saffron shook her head but had to smile. "You're impossible Dad."

"Don't worry Harry," Nick said pulling on one of Saffron's plaits. "You know the blokes in my band. And if they did try to influence Saffron in any way, I'd hex them for you."

"You're a good man Nick," Harry clapped him on the shoulder. "I always knew I liked you for a reason."

Nick grinned and he and Julie took a seat on the other sofa while the girls continued doling out their presents to their grandparents and aunt.

"Mummy got these for you Grandma," Katie said handing Hermione a box. "They're earrings!"

"You're not supposed to tell her what they are before she opens it!" Ashley lectured her sister.

"She was going to see what it was in a minute anyways!" Katie retorted.

"You took all the surprise out of it!" Ashley shot back.

"Girls," Hermione said holding up her hand. "It's okay. I don't know what they look like, so I will still be surprised. No harm done."

"See," Katie stuck her tongue out at Ashley.

"Back to normal," Nick muttered, shaking his head.

Hermione opened the box and saw a beautiful pair of pearl earrings. "Oh, Julie! They're beautiful. You shouldn't have..."

"I knew you'd like them mum," Julie said with a grin. "And the girls did pick them out for you."

"They're lovely," Hermione said again. "Thank you...all of you."

"We're glad you like them Grandma," Ashley hugged her.

"I love them," Hermione said hugging her back. "Oh, sweetheart, we missed you so much."

"I'm so glad we're back in time for Christmas," Ashley said. "I didn't want to spend it in Sydney, even though it was a really nice city."

"We're glad you guys are back too," Saffron said. "I can't imagine spending Christmas without you. Hey, Katie? Are you still going to stay up to see if you can have a talk with Santa?"

"This year," Katie nodded. "I'll catch him before he goes back up the chimney!"

"The only reason she wants to do it is because he gave her the wrong doll last year," Ashley said. "She wants to tell him that he got it wrong. Have you ever heard of anything more ridiculous?"

"Shut up Ashley Beth." Katie retorted. "You got the right one so it doesn't matter!"

"You two fight more than Ethan and me," Saffron said with a laugh.

"That's saying a lot," Julie grinned at her sister.

"He keeps going on about me and R.J.," Saffron said. "I swear if he says one more thing, I'm going to kick him in the--"

"Saffron," Hermione warned.

"Sorry Mum," Saffron said sheepishly.

"Do you like R.J.?" Ashley asked intrigued.

"We're friends," Saffron said. "That's all."

"Oh," Ashley said. She wasn't about to tease Saffron about this as she could tell that her aunt wasn't keen to talk about this.

"How's Grandpa Granger?" Ashley asked instead. "Is he getting better?"

"Yes he is," Hermione said. "Thanks to your aunt here. She'll have to show you the early Christmas gift he got her."

"Oooooh," Katie said. "What did you get, Aunt Saffy?"

"He got me a set of pro golf clubs," Saffron said happily.

"Cool," Ashley said. "Can we see them later?"

"Sure," Saffron said. "They're upstairs in my room."

The girls handed out the rest of the souvenirs and then started telling their stories about all that they'd seen and done in Sydney. Katie went upstairs after awhile with Saffron to see the golf clubs and Ashley was going to join them before she doubled back and gave both Harry and Hermione another hug.

"What did we do to deserve all this?" Hermione asked.

"I'm just happy you're my grandparents," Ashley replied.

"We are too Ashley Beth," Hermione said kissing the little girl's forehead. "And don't you ever forget it."

"I won't," Ashley grinned at her grandparents and headed upstairs.

"She was really hurt by what happened," Julie said quietly once her daughter was out of earshot.

"She's been asking so many questions about them," Greta explained. "And she told me that one of the reasons she was looking forward to going was because she'd meet her other set of grandparents. I think Ashley thought they'd be more like you and Harry."

"How bad were they?" Harry asked.

"Pretty bad," Nick said. "Although," he chuckled. "You know how Katie said she threw up?"

"Aye," Harry nodded.

"It was all over my father," Nick reported with a grin.

Harry collapsed into a fit of laughter along with Hermione.

"It was priceless," Julie said chuckling.

"I wish I'd been there to see it," Harry chortled.

"And how about Ginny?" Hermione asked when she'd stopped laughing.

"She was strange," Julie said. "Like she was interested but didn't want Draco to see."

"That's the way she's always been really," Nick said. "Sometimes you think she really wants to care, especially about her brothers and me and Nana, but then she knows he'd be against it and that's it. She shuts down and acts like she doesn't care."

"That's her problem then," Greta cut in. "She doesn't act like her own person around him and now she's paying the price."

"Yeah," Nick agreed. "I've been making excuses for her for too long, haven't I?"

"She makes her own," Harry said. "I'd have thought after Hermione and I helped her and Draco out that they'd be at least a little grateful."

"They don't know the meaning of that word," Nick said. "And you know Nana tells me these stories about my mum when she was growing up and I wonder why I couldn't have had that person as my mother, you know? Instead, I get this..."

"She certainly changed a lot after we all went to Hillsdale." Harry verified. "She really became a different person."

"Someone who doesn't care about anyone but herself and my father," Nick said feeling the anger boil up in him again.

"Pretty much," Harry said, looking sympathetically at him. "I wouldn't worry about it Nick. Ash has plenty of family that loves her."

"And so do you," Hermione added with a smile. "You're one of us Nick."

It still amazed Nick how easily he'd been accepted into Julie's family despite of whom and what his parents were.

"Thanks," he said smiling at them. "I appreciate that more than you know."

Julie leaned against him. "I'm glad we managed to get a lot of our Christmas shopping done over there." she said. "But what did we miss? Anything new?"

"Actually there is something new." Hermione grinned. "But perhaps I should let Ethan tell you himself."

"Mum, I never see Ethan anymore," Julie said. "You should go ahead and tell me and if on the off chance my brother manages to pry himself away from Maddie, I'll act surprised when he tells me."

Hermione laughed. "All right. When we were at your grandparents' house last week he and Maddie decided to move in together!"

Julie grinned. "That's wonderful news!"

"I think she's mad," Saffron cracked, coming back into the room and catching the tail end of the conversation. "I mean, Ethan's flat is soooo ugly!"

"It's not that bad," Harry said in Ethan's defence.

"Dad it's BROWN," Saffron pointed out. "No one I know has dark brown walls!"

"I'm sure Maddie will redecorate," Hermione said.

"And I'll help her." Saffron said. "I have a good eye."

"I'm certain Maddie will be able to handle it," Harry said. "And you'll be back at school by the time she's ready to do all that."

"But you can help her move," Hermione said. "Ethan asked us if we'd pitch in and help."

"Do the heavy work," Harry translated with a grin.

"Just don't ask your Aunt Lav to do it," Hermione said shaking her head at the memory of Lavender "helping" when she and Harry moved into the cottage.

"Why?" Julie laughed. "Did she sit and paint her nails or something?"

"That's exactly what she did," Harry replied. "And directed us around like it was her place."

"That sounds exactly like Aunt Lav," Saffron said laughing.

"That cottage," Hermione said wistfully.

"Don't get Jules started about the cottage," Nick said with a grin. "She'll go on for hours about how much she misses it again."

"It was home," Julie said. "And as much as I love this place, it just wasn't the same."

"I agree," Hermione said.

"I like this place," Saffron said defending the only place she'd ever lived in other than Hogwarts. "I don't ever want to leave."

"You'd love the cottage Saffy," Harry told her. "You like places that are cosy."

"Doesn't someone else live in it now?" Saffron asked.

"Yes we sold it," Harry replied. "I haven't been back in that neighbourhood in years."

"And there will come a day when I won't be minister anymore," Hermione told her daughter. "And we'll have to move out of this place."

"I don't want to think about that," Saffron crossed her arms. "Some brat taking my room, marking up my walls..."

Hermione laughed and put an arm around her. "It might be some old bloke who converts your room into a study."

"Eww," Saffron said. "A guy living in my bedroom?"

"He might even paint the walls brown," Harry teased.

"I'll bloody come back here and paint them ivory again," Saffron pouted. "I don't want to leave this place!"

Hermione kissed the side of Saffron's head. "Sweetheart, chances are you'll have moved out of here yourself by the time I'm out of office."

"If I had a flat it would look much nicer than Ethan's," Saffron boasted. "And Ashley and Katie could spend the night every weekend."

"That would be fun Aunt Saffy," Ashley agreed.

"Of course it would," Saffron said as Ashley sat in her lap.

"We could watch scary movies," Ashley said excitedly. "And eat pizza at three in the morning!"

"Excuse me madam?" Julie asked raising an eyebrow.

"We wouldn't tell Mummy and Daddy right?" Katie whispered conspiratorially.

Saffron winked at her youngest niece.

"We'll have to see about that," Nick reached over and pulled Katie onto his lap.

Ashley looked around the room at her family. Her grandmother and mother were talking animatedly about something. Her grandfather was teasing Saffron as only he could and her father was tickling Katie and making her giggle. She'd felt bad about what had happened in Australia with her dad's parents. But now she felt sorry for them. They didn't have this.

*** *** ***

"She said my name and you know it," Jon said to Allison as they walked up the steps to her parents’ home. Allison smiled down at the baby in her arms who was gurgling excitedly.

"It did sound an awful lot like Da," Caroline admitted.

"Well you still don't believe me when I told you she said Ma the other day," Allison pointed out.

"I never said I didn't believe you," Jon said opening up the front door.

"You did so," Allison reminded him. "You said and I quote "Yeah, uh huh sure love.'"

"I don't think I said it in that same tone, Al," Jon said defensively.

"Whose name did I say first?" Caroline asked curiously.

Allison and Jon both blushed. "You talked to Uncle Josh before you said Mum or Dad," Allison replied.

"Really?" Caroline asked.

"And he never lets us forget it," Jon said ushering his family inside.

"Hello!" Neville boomed as he caught sight of his daughter and her family coming in the door. "Happy Christmas!"

"Sorry we're late," Allison said giving her father a peck on the cheek.

"Look at all three of my girls," Neville said grinning at them. "You look so beautiful."

"We're all wearing red," Caroline said when Neville scooped her up. "Even Emma."

"So she is," Neville laughed. "And it's a beautiful colour on you too my little Caroline."

Caroline blushed and buried her face in Neville's shoulder.

"Happy Christmas, Mister Longbottom," Jon said holding out his hand. "You know for old time's sake."

"Of course, Jonathan," Neville grinned. "You're looking well."

Jon laughed. "It's all thanks to Al."

Allison took off Emma's small cloak and set it on the foyer table. "Mmmmuuh," Emma said suddenly causing Allison to beam down at her daughter.

"See?" Allison said happily. "She said Mum!"

"She said 'mmmmuh'," Jon said hastily. "Didn't she Neville?"

"It's the same as Mum," Allison argued. "Right Dad?"

"Caroline," Neville said quickly not ready to be roped into taking sides. "Let's go see Aunt Frankie, shall we?"

"Okay," Caroline giggled. "I brought The Little Mermaid with me to watch with her!"

Neville didn't let on that he had a feeling his youngest daughter would be a little too preoccupied to watch the movie tonight. At least she would if their special guest arrived when he was supposed to.

"You know who would love to see that?" Neville asked his granddaughter. "Your Aunt Chiaki loved that movie when she was a little girl."

"She did?" Caroline asked. "She can watch it too!"

"Watch what?" Chiaki asked coming out of the kitchen with a tray of biscuits.

"I brought The Little Mermaid Aunt Chiaki!" Caroline slid from Neville's grip and ran to her.

"Happy Christmas little one," Chiaki said setting the tray down before giving her niece a hug. "You look so pretty!"

"You do too Aunt Chiaki," Caroline reached for Chiaki's protruding stomach. "How's the baby?"

"Very active today," Chiaki said. "Kicking all over the place. Your Uncle Toshio thinks that if the baby isn't a dancer it will be quite the little footballer."

Caroline giggled as her aunt let her place her hand on her belly. "I think it's a little boy."

"You do?" Chiaki asked. "Well we are overloaded on the little girls in this family, aren't we?"

"I'll still be a good cousin either way," Caroline promised.

"Thank you baby," Chiaki said. "Do you want to go see Grandma and Toshio? They're in the sitting room?"

"Okay," Caroline agreed. "And I want to see Aunt Frankie too!"

"She hasn't stopped talking about Frankie since that one weekend she sat for us," Jon said to Neville. "Apparently she and Will were a big hit with Caroline."

"Will's a good man," Neville said trying not to give anything away. "He's good for Frankie."

"Aye," Jon agreed. "He seems like a really nice bloke."

"Who seems like a nice bloke?" Frankie asked coming up behind them.

"Me," Jon said grinning at her.

"In your dreams Jon," Frankie said kissing his cheek. "Happy Christmas."

"Happy Christmas Frankie," he said. "Have you seen Allie?"

"She's in the dining room with Emma repeating the words 'Ma' and 'Mum' over and over again while Emma just stares blankly at her," Frankie replied.

"No fair," Jon said putting his drink on the table. "She's coaching!"

"Coaching what?" Frankie laughed as Caroline threw herself into her arms. "Hey sweetheart."

"Coaching Emma to say Mum," Jon said excusing himself.

"They're trying to see whose name Emma will say first," Caroline explained. "I'm glad you're finally here!"

"I'm glad you're here too," Frankie gave the little girl a hug. "You look so pretty in your red jumper!"

"Guess what?" Caroline asked in a little voice. "I brought The Little Mermaid!"

"The Little Mermaid?" Frankie asked. "Oh- that's one of those Danny movies you like right?"

"Disney," Caroline corrected. "Aunt Frankie, I've told you that loads of times already."

"I know honey," Frankie kissed her cheek. "I'm sorry I keep forgetting."

"We can watch it now," Caroline suggested.

"No you can't!" Neville said quickly.

"Why not Grandpa?" Caroline asked confused.

"Yeah, why not Dad?" Frankie asked.

"We'll be eating soon," Neville replied. "And you don't want to start watching the movie and then have to stop right when it was getting good would you?"

"I suppose not," Frankie agreed. "Caroline after we open presents I promise we'll sit down and watch this okay?"

"Okay," Caroline said. "Did Santa bring you anything good?"

"Yes he did," Frankie laughed and showed her the bracelet that Will had given her a few days beforehand when they'd celebrated together alone.

"That's so pretty," Caroline said admiringly.

"And just wait until you see what I found for you," Frankie gave her another hug. "I think you'll like it!"

"What? What?" Caroline asked excitedly.

Frankie laughed. "You'll see after dinner sweetheart!"

"Let's eat really fast okay, Grandpa?" Caroline asked.

Neville laughed. "We'll try love. You'll have to tell your daddy not to go for thirds."

"We had loads of food at Nana's this morning," Caroline said conversationally. "Grandpa Ron ate soooooooooooo much."

"He always eats so much doesn't he?" Neville asked.

Caroline nodded and related to her aunt and grandfather how Ron had eaten almost an entire plate of sausages by himself.

Thankfully, Cho called everyone into the dining room where Jon and Allie had finally given up on coaching their daughter at least for the time being.

"Everything looks fabulous Mum," Frankie said admiring the table.

"Don't look at me," Cho said shaking her head. "This was all your Dad's doing."

"That's why nothing has been blackened," Neville joked.

"At least Al inherited her cooking skills from her dad," Jon said winking at his wife.

"Lucky for you," Allison returned with a grin.

"Let's tuck in," Chiaki said sitting down. "This is the first Christmas in ages where I'll be able to eat all the good stuff!"

"And I don't have to lift you," Toshio teased.

"Very funny Tosh," Chiaki said glaring at him. "Very funny."

"I'm sorry love," Toshio kissed his wife's cheek.

All throughout the meal, Neville kept checking his watch.

"You're not on some sort of timetable are you Dad?" Frankie asked. "Or do you have another Christmas dinner you have to go to?"

"No sweetheart of course not," Neville forced a chuckle as the doorbell rang. "I wonder who that could be.

"Frankie you go get the door." he said with a smile.

"I'll go and get it," Toshio said setting his napkin down.

"NO!" Neville said sharply. Everyone stared at him. "I really think Frankie should go and get it. Thanks ever so much though Toshio."

Frankie shook her head and stood up. "Okay Dad. Maybe you need to take it easy on the eggnog tonight."

"Sure, sure." Neville replied. He shook his head ever so slightly at Cho.

Frankie walked quickly to the door wondering what her father was on about. She hoped he hadn't bought her a dog or something like he had for Caroline last Christmas. She could barely look after herself, she thought opening the door. But it wasn't a dog or some other pet on her parents' front steps. It was Will, dressed in a nice suit and a Santa hat.

"Will?" she asked, taken aback. "What on earth are you doing here?"

"Happy Christmas," he grinned, giving her a kiss before she could say anything in return.

"I-I thought you were in Devon with your family," Frankie said breathlessly a moment later when they pulled apart.

"I was," Will replied. "But I missed you. And I really wanted to see you today."

"We're still eating," Frankie said motioning over her shoulder. "This isn't really a good---"

"Of course it is," Neville said from behind her. "Hello Will. Happy Christmas!"

"Hello sir," Will shook his hand. "Good to see you again."

"Dad," Frankie said suddenly realising that Will must have been the reason why she couldn't watch the movie with Caroline and why he kept checking his watch throughout dinner. "What's going on?"

"Nothing Francesca," Neville replied. "Why would anything be going on? It's Christmas and everyone's here to celebrate."

Frankie didn't believe him for a second, but took Will's hand and led him into the dining room. Caroline practically launched herself at him.

"I didn't know you were going to be here!" she said laughing as he picked her up.

"Hello Princess," he swung her around. "How is her royal highness this evening?"

"Stuffed to the gills," Caroline said patting her stomach much like her Grandpa Ron had that morning at the Burrow.

"Um," Frankie said nervously. "You already know Caroline, of course. And Jon and Allie. And my mum. This is my older sister Chiaki and her husband Toshio. Chi, Tosh...this is Will Barron."

"Hello Will," Chiaki struggled to her feet. "You'll have to excuse me- I'm carrying a bit of extra weight right now." she smiled. "But it's lovely to finally meet you. I've heard a lot about you from Frankie."

"Likewise," Will said shaking first her hand and then Toshio's.

"Excuse me so I can set another place," Cho said getting up and disappearing into the kitchen.

Frankie didn't know what to say. She didn't know what her father and Will were playing at but it was obvious to her that the two of them were in cahoots. What she couldn't understand though was how? They'd only met each other a handful of times.

"Thanks Mum," she said weakly as Cho set a new place beside her for Will.

"So Will," Jon said. "What's new and exciting? Aside from Frankie that is." he grinned wickedly at his sister in law.

"Shouldn't you be coaching Emma or something?" Frankie asked.

"She's fast asleep," Jon said looking over his shoulder to where Emma was sleeping peacefully in her seat.

"Well why don’t you go snog your wife?" Frankie muttered under her breath.

"And miss all the fun?" Jon asked. "Not a chance!"

Everyone laughed at this, save for Frankie who looked as if she wanted to just run upstairs and lock herself up in her old bedroom.

"You should really try some of my dad's potatoes," Frankie said spooning some onto Will's plate. "They're really delicious."

"I didn't think I was hungry but this smells fantastic," Will said.

"Did your family have a big feast too?" Allison asked.

"Are you kidding?" Will laughed. "My mum made enough food to feed an army."

"Sounds like she needs to meet my dad," Jon laughed. "He eats enough to feed an army."

Everyone laughed again, except for Frankie who was suddenly very interested in moving the food around on her plate.

Allison tapped her sister on the shoulder while Will was talking to Neville and Cho.

"Smile Francesca," Allison whispered. "You look like Scrooge."

"I can't help it," Frankie muttered back. "I hate surprises like this."

"Surprises like what?" Allison whispered. "Your boyfriend surprising you like this on Christmas? I think it's very sweet."

"You would," Frankie rolled her eyes. "I already told him I was busy tonight."

"Frankie--" Allison argued.

"Did you go to Hogwarts too, Will?" Toshio asked.

Will nodded. "I was a year ahead of Frankie. I was in Ravenclaw."

"But we didn't really know each other back then," Frankie replied. "It wasn't until a few years out of school that we met at a pub.”

"I noticed her in school though," Will said smiling at Frankie. "How could you not?"

Frankie turned so red she was almost purple.

"And the rest as they say is history," Will continued before taking a sip of his wine.

"I'm so glad you could join us," Cho said smiling warmly across the table at him. "What a lovely surprise!"

"I just hope Frankie's as glad as the rest of you are," Will glanced meaningfully at her.

"Of course," Frankie said forcing a smile.

Emma awoke and started to cry and Frankie seized her chance to escape. "I'll take care of it, Allie."

"It's okay," Allison said. "You don't really---"

"No I really don't mind," Frankie was already halfway out of the dining room.

"Want some company?" Will asked pushing back from his seat.

"I've got it," Frankie called over her shoulder.

Will stared after her wondering what he'd done wrong.

"I'd never see the day when I'd see Frankie volunteer to change a dirty nappy," Cho said trying to keep the mood light.

"You should go help her anyway," Neville told Will. "I think the only time she's even seen a nappy is that weekend she took care of the girls."

Will nodded. "Aye, if you'll excuse me..."

He found Frankie a few moments later in the sitting room with Emma. "Everything okay?" he asked softly.

"Oh!" Frankie's head shot up in surprise. "Everything's fine."

"She didn't need changing then?" Will asked stepping further into the room.

"No she's fine," Frankie kissed the little girl's forehead. "I think she's just a bit hungry is all."

"I could fetch a bottle if you'd like," Will offered.

"I'll just take her into the kitchen and feed her," Frankie said as she got up.

Will could tell something wasn't quite right with Frankie, but he decided to let it go for now. He didn't want to get into a row today of all days.

"You're a natural with her," he said instead.

"It's because I don't have one of my own," Frankie smiled at him finally. "I think it makes me a little more patient."

"When you have kids, you'll be much more experienced," Will said. "We'll be old pros."

Frankie's smile froze. "I won't be having kids for years," she said, choosing not to comment on his 'we' comment.

Will watched her as she set Emma in a high chair.

"You look beautiful tonight, Frankie," he said reaching into his pocket and feeling for the ring box. "Absolutely stunning."

"Thanks Will," Frankie said. "It's nice of you to say even though I'm just wearing this old thing."

"You look beautiful in that old thing," Will said knowing for a fact that Frankie had bought that very dress a couple of days ago. She'd even modelled it for him. "I hope it's okay me showing up like I did. I just didn't want to spend Christmas without you."

Something inside her softened at his expression and his words. "I'm glad to see you too," she admitted.

Will smiled. "And I finally got to meet the rest of your family. They're really great, Frankie."

"Yeah they are," Frankie guided the bottle towards Emma's lips and the little girl grabbed onto it with her hands.

Will took a deep breath. This was his moment. He knew her parents' kitchen wasn't the most ideal place, but it didn't matter. He took her hands in his.

"Frankie," he began nervously. "I love you very much. You know that, right?"

A gnawing sensation began in her stomach. "Yes," she said. "I know that."

"I've never felt this way about anyone before," he continued. "You make me so happy and I can't imagine spending my life without you."

"That's um... that's sweet of you to say Will," Frankie said uncertainly.

Will got down on one knee and pulled the ring box from his pocket. "Francesca Longbottom, will you do me the honour of being my wife?"

45. Chapter 45

A/N: Thank you all so much for the birthday wishes- I had a great time, and spent all day Halloween recovering ;) I was going to reply to reviews, but I’m now doped up on NyQuil due to the fact that I’m catching a cold and I wanted to make sure this was up before I went to sleep.

As always, please let us know what you think! Reviews=h20 ;)

Frankie stared open mouthed at him for a moment. "What?" she asked faintly.

"Marry me?" he asked opening up the box and showing her the ring.

"Will," Frankie whispered. "I... I don't..."

"I know this isn't the most romantic setting," Will interjected. "But I did talk about this with your father and he did give me his blessing."

"You asked my dad if you could marry me?" Frankie asked. She sat down and covered her face with her hands. "No wonder he's been acting like this all day..."

"I know it seems a bit old-fashioned, but I thought he'd appreciate it," Will asked. This certainly wasn't the reaction he'd been expecting. "Come on Frankie. Don't leave me hanging here..."

"Will," Frankie shook her head. "I... I can't marry you."

Will felt as if he'd been kicked in the stomach. He wasn't going to be deterred just yet. He stood up and walked over to where she sat. "Frankie. We don't have to get married right away. We can be engaged for a year if you want. I love you."

"I know but..." Frankie couldn't think of a way to tell him that she couldn't ever marry. "I just can't Will."

"I don't understand..." Will said. "Frankie..."

Unexpected tears came to her eyes. "Don't Will. Just don't all right?"

"Don't what?" he asked. "Is it the ring? I can take it back and get you another one..."

"Don't do this," Frankie stepped away from him. "You don't want to marry me Will."

"Yes I do," he said reaching out for her arm. "Frankie, look at me please."

She didn't want to, but he turned her around so she had no choice but to face him.

"I wouldn't have asked you, if I didn't want to," he said softly, cupping her face in her hands. "I know you're scared, Frankie. I am too, but I know that we belong together. I want to spend the rest of my life with you. I've known it for quite some time. Say you'll do it, Frankie. Say you'll marry me."

She tried to say no but he kissed her then, and she responded even though she didn't want to.

Bolstered by her response, Will pulled away and whispered the question once more. "Frankie? Marry me?"

Frankie opened her mouth. "Will... I can't. I just can't. Please, please... you don't want this."

The smile from Will's face fell. He stepped away from her. "I want this more than anything I've ever wanted in my life. YOU are the one who doesn't want this. And I don't understand why."

"You know where I stand on this Will," Frankie said. "I've always told you I don't want to get tied down."

“Tied down?” Will asked. “Is that how you really feel about marriage?”

Frankie sighed and picked Emma up. “I’m sorry Will. I am. I just… I can’t get married.”

Will stared at her. “Frankie… if you don’t want to marry me then this is it.” He snapped the ring box shut and stuffed it into his pocket. “I know we’ve broken up and gotten back together over the years but I’m ready to find someone to settle down with. I mistakenly thought that was you.”

Frankie pretended to be busy with cleaning up Emma.

“I can’t be with you if you don’t want this,” Will said, still staring at her. “We can’t get back together this time.”

She still didn’t answer as she ran water into the empty bottle. He’d said this before, and the sooner he forgot about this marriage nonsense the faster they could work things out again.

“I’m sorry Frankie,” his voice was husky but pained. “I’ll come by sometime and get my things from your flat. I’ll expect you to do the same before the week’s out.”

“Will,” Frankie turned around but was met with a crack as he disapparated away.

She sighed and rubbed her forehead with her free hand. “Maaa!” Emma said in her arms. “Maaa!”

“All right,” Frankie said softly. “Let’s go see your Mum.” She carried Emma back into the room.

“How’d it go?” Cho asked eagerly as Neville had filled them in while she and Will had been in the kitchen.

“How did what go?” Frankie asked, deciding to take the nonchalant approach.

“With you and Will,” Allison said. “Where is he?”

“He left,” Frankie said, handing Emma to Jon. “She was asking for Allie in there.” She smoothed back the baby’s hair.

“He left?” Neville asked, bewildered. “Why?”

“Had no reason to stay,” Frankie shrugged.

“But…” Cho looked hard at her youngest daughter. “But your father said he—“

“He didn’t do anything all right?” Frankie snapped. “He had to leave.”

“I’m sure he had an emergency,” Neville interrupted when it looked like his wife was going to say something again.

“Right,” Frankie sat back in her chair with her arms crossed as if daring anyone to ask her what had happened.

“Well how about dessert and then we can open presents?” Jon asked.

“Yay!” Caroline said happily. “I can’t wait to see what I got!” she grinned at her aunts. “And then we can watch The Little Mermaid.”

“Sure thing,” Chiaki said with a smile.

"It's too bad Will won't get to watch it with us," Caroline said looking at Frankie. "He told me he liked it."

"Right," Frankie forced a smile onto her face. "Well he had to leave, he had to go home, so... probably some other time." she avoided her father's glance- she was too angry with him for springing this on her to even look at him.

Allison looked sympathetically at her sister. "If you want to talk..."

"About what?" Frankie asked. "I have nothing to talk about here Allie."

Allison didn't buy that for a second, but decided to drop it. When Frankie was ready to talk, she'd listen. "Right, I think I'll just go help Mum with the dessert."

"I'll start sorting out the gifts," Jon said. "Angel, come help your dad find the Santa hat..."

"It's right here in Will's seat," Caroline said holding it up. "Remember Daddy? He was wearing it when he came in!"

Frankie stared at the hat for a moment before grabbing some dishes and heading into the kitchen. Jon shared a bewildered look with Neville. "So... " he said as he slowly took the hat.

"I shouldn't have interfered," Neville said quietly. "I just thought..."

"You thought he was the right one for her," Jon said. "We all see it Neville. She doesn't for some reason but I think it'll hit her sooner or later."

"I would steer clear of Frankie for awhile Dad," Chiaki counselled. "She doesn't seem very happy with you at the moment."

Neville sighed. After the situation many years before with Allison, he'd always kept an open mind to the relationships his youngest daughter had chosen to keep. Will had been the bloke he liked the most out of all of them even though they'd only met a handful of times. "I guess you're right sweetheart," he said softly.

In the kitchen, Allison was helping her mother spoon dessert on the plates while Frankie just leaned against the counter, her arms folded.

"Did you want some whipped cream with yours, Frankie?" Allison asked.

"Sure," Frankie said, staring at the spot where Will had been kneeling just a quarter of an hour ago. 'I can't believe he proposed!' she couldn't get her mind off it.

"You sure you're okay?" Allison asked softly. "I meant what I said. If you want to talk about it, I'm here for you."

Frankie glared at her. "Talk about what Allie?" she asked sharply.

"It's so obvious Frankie," Allison said. "Will proposed and you turned him down and now you're regretting it."

Frankie let out a hollow laugh. "I don't regret anything, Allie."

Allison shook her head. "Obviously not now, but you will Frankie."

"Like you know anything," Frankie said dismissively. "You dated one boy, Allison! One boy! That's it. You have no idea what my life is like so don't even start thinking you do."

"All right," Cho said hastily, sensing that Allison was about to erupt. "Look, it's Christmas so let's not argue all right? Can we please enjoy the rest of today in peace? Allie, if Frankie says nothing is wrong then let her be."

Allison reluctantly nodded. "I'll just take these onto the dining room."

"Frankie," Cho said once Allison left the kitchen. "I realise you don't lead the same lifestyle as your sister but please don't criticise it. She's very happy with the way things are for her."

"She doesn't understand," Frankie said feeling the anger erupt in her all over again. "None of you do. Did you know about this, Mum? Did you know Will went to speak with Dad?"

"Not until he told me," Cho said motioning for her to keep her voice down. "Please Frankie- we all know you're upset but please don't cause a scene. Not today."

Frankie certainly didn't want to spoil the holiday for anyone, especially Caroline and Emma, but she still couldn't believe the nerve of her father interfering like he had. She would have thought he'd have learned his lesson with Jon and Allie.

"I'm not upset," Frankie lied. "You're right. Let's enjoy the holiday. Happy Bloody Christmas!"

"Thank you sweetheart," Cho hugged her daughter.

Meanwhile, Will arrived back at his house, feeling completely deflated and dejected.

Will's older brother Jack was giving his daughter Mia a piggy back ride in the sitting room while everyone watched and laughed as Jack complained about how he was getting way too old for this.

"Thank Merlin you're here Will!" Jack called out. "You can take over for me."

"Sure," Will forced a smile onto his face. "Come here sweetheart," he held his arms out for his niece.

Mia giggled and hugged him tightly.

"I would have thought Francesca would have come back with you," Abigail said. "Is she coming later?"

"She can't," Will said shortly, giving his brother a look that said he wanted to talk to him as soon as possible.

"Mia?" Jack asked. "Why don't you go and show your cousins that trick I showed you this morning? I bet they'd love to see it."

"Okay Daddy," Mia pecked her uncle on the cheek and scampered out of the room.

Jack motioned for Will to follow him to their father's study. "Things didn't go well I gather," he asked in a hushed tone as they walked down the hall.

"Things didn't go at all," Will said sourly. He tossed the box with the ring onto the sofa angrily. "She just turned me down flat."

"I thought things were gong well between you two," Jack said closing the door. "You said they were better than they'd ever been..."

"That's what I thought too," Will crossed his arms as he sat on the edge of the desk. "I mean, she finally even said that she loved me. It only took three years," he laughed sarcastically.

"And she hadn't even met all of us yet," Jack said trying to get his brother to laugh. "THAT would have been reason alone to turn you down."

Will gave a short, rather derisive smile. "I just don't get it," he muttered. "After she said no I told her that was it," he looked up at Jack. "I told her this time we wouldn't get back together. But that doesn't do me much good when all I want to do is go back and see her again."

"You my brother are a glutton for punishment," Jack said. "You always have been where she's concerned."

"I'm in love with her Jack I can't help it," Will said with a dirty look. "You're the same way with Claire."

Jack nodded. "That's true, but I've always known where I stood with Claire. Look, Will. I'm not saying this to make you angry or get you upset, but do you really want to spend the rest of your life chasing after a girl who doesn't want the same things you do?"

Will shrugged. "I don't know," he said, looking at the floor.

"Did she have any idea you were going to do this?" Jack asked. "Propose I mean."

"No," Will said. "I talked to her dad about it- mainly because her brother in law told me what happened between him and Neville while he was dating her sister Allie but... she just blew me off like it didn't matter."

"I'm sorry Will," Jack said sincerely. "I really am."

"Thanks," Will said, running his hands through his hair. "Guess I better just try and put all this aside so I don't ruin anyone else's Christmas."

"Maybe she'll come around," Jack said. "But I want you to promise me one thing, okay?"

"What's that?" Will asked, the merest hint of a smile on his face.

"You won't get all moody and sullen like you did last time," Jack replied. "As much fun as it was to watch you brood and listen to sad music on the wireless..."

Will remembered how around this time last year he and Frankie had gotten into one of their famously huge rows and had broken up only to get back together when February rolled around. "I'll try," he said.

"Fair enough," Jack said slapping him on the back. "You coming back into the melee with me or you need a few minutes?"

"I'll be in there in a minute," Will said. "Thanks Jack."

"No problem," Jack said. "I'll tell Mia her Uncle Will's available for pony rides within the hour."

"I'll be there," this time Will's smile was genuine.

*** *** ***

Frankie rubbed at her eyes as she let herself into her flat a few evenings after what was in her opinion a disastrous Christmas day. She had wanted to take her holiday this week and not have to be in the office, but the trip she'd gone on with Will earlier that year to the Bahamas had taken up her last paid week of holiday time.

"Stop thinking about him Francesca!" she scolded herself.

Her flat seemed so empty. She wasn't used to feeling so alone. In the week leading up to Christmas, Will had been over here every night it seemed. They'd had such a fun time decorating her small flat. She hadn't had the heart or the energy to take all it down.

What she needed now, she thought with a heavy sigh was a nice relaxing bath. Walking through her sitting room, she stopped dead in her tracks.

There was a cardboard box sitting on her coffee table with a scrap of parchment next to it.

Frankie- I came over for my things and I decided to save you a trip to my place by bringing yours back for you.

Will

"How bloody cold can he get?" she asked herself. "Leaving my things in a box with a bloody note?"

She crumpled up the piece of paper and threw it on the floor. She never said that they should stop seeing each other. All that she'd said was that she didn't want to get married. Then he had to go and ruin it all by saying that it was that or nothing. They were doing fine until he'd become so serious about everything. There was a knock on her door and she wondered if the wanker had forgotten something. Her heart sank as she heard her older sister's familiar voice.

"Frankie?" Chiaki asked tentatively.

She debated on whether or not she wanted to open the door but didn't want her pregnant sister on her feet. "Coming," she finally called back reluctantly.

"I was in the neighbourhood and I thought I'd pop in and see how you were doing," Chiaki said warmly when Frankie opened the door.

"Just fine," Frankie said brightly. "Just got home from work actually."

"I don't want to intrude if you're busy," Chiaki said hastily.

"Oh it's fine," Frankie opened the door wider. "Besides, I know you're really not supposed to be up and about so why don't you come in and sit down for a while?"

"I'd love that," Chiaki said stepping inside. "I met Mum to look at some things for the nursery but she had to leave for an afternoon class."

"I can't believe you're waiting until you have the baby to find out if it's a boy or girl," Frankie said. "It would make things so much easier on you if you knew now."

Chiaki sat down on Frankie's sofa, her eyes falling on the box. "We want to be surprised is all. What's all this?"

"Oh just some things," Frankie said hastily pulling the box away.

"Those are your things aren't they?" Chiaki asked. Frankie was a notorious pack rat and she couldn't imagine her sister giving anything away.

"Yes," Frankie said as Chiaki grasped the piece of parchment that Will had left behind.

Chiaki didn't know if she should read the note, but when Frankie didn't protest, she uncrumpled the parchment and read the note.

"Oh Frankie," Chiaki said quietly. "I’m sorry..."

"Why?" Frankie grabbed it away and tossed it into the fireplace. "I'm not sorry."

"You're not?" Chiaki asked looking at her in surprise. "Hey, Frankie. It's me. I know how much he meant to you..."

"Chi I'm not upset," Frankie lied. "I don't get serious with guys all right?"

"You dated this one on and off for a long time," Chiaki argued. "Call me crazy, but I think he must have meant something to you if you kept going back for more."

"He was fun to be with," Frankie shot back. "But you know what? All good things come to an end."

"I've known you all your life Frankie," Chiaki said folding her arms. "I know when you're lying."

"Good for you," Frankie retorted, not meeting her gaze.

Chiaki wasn't about to be deterred. "Have you tried talking to him?"

"I haven't seen him," Frankie got up and started sorting through the box, on the pretence that she was interested in it's contents.

"Mum said that Dad's tried to talk to you but you've not returned his calls," Chiaki said.

"Well for good reason I'm a bit annoyed with him," Frankie said.

"He thought he was doing something nice for you," Chiaki said. "Frankie, Will went to ask him for his blessing. That's very romantic and you know dad eats stuff like that up. Being as none of us knows Will all that well, how did you expect Dad to know this wasn't what you wanted?"

"Because it's never been what I wanted," Frankie said coolly. "Chi, I don't want to get married. I think it's great you and Allie are but I'm not you guys. I like men, I like dating around, I like being with different people all the time."

"No one's saying that you have to get married Frankie, but it's okay to fall in love," Chiaki said thoughtfully. "Why are you so scared?"

"I'm not scared," Frankie said, immediately spinning around. "I'm NOT."

"Then what are you exactly?" Chiaki asked looking quizzically at her. "Come on Frankie. What's really going on in that mind of yours?"

Frankie snorted. "You wouldn't understand Chi."

"I understand a lot more than you'd think," Chiaki shot back.

Frankie opened her mouth to retort but her eyes fell on a picture of her and Will on the London Eye earlier that year.

"You miss him," Chiaki said bluntly.

"Not really," Frankie lied weakly.

"Francesca, what am I going to do with you?" Chiaki said getting to her feet and looking sympathetically at her baby sister.

"You don't need to do anything," Frankie said with a level gaze. "I'm fine Chi."

Chiaki hugged her. "I love you and I want you to be happy. You know that, right?"

Frankie couldn't deny that it was nice that her sisters cared about her. "Thanks Chi," she said softly. "I don't need just one guy to be happy though. I'm going to be fine."

Chiaki didn't buy that for a minute, but she wasn't going to push Frankie. "Why don't you come back home with me? Tosh was going to pick up some takeaway for us."

Frankie shook her head. "I um... I actually have plans tonight." she said, which was only partially true. She didn't yet but one simple call or owl would take care of that.

"I get it," Chiaki said with a laugh. "Tosh and I aren't cool enough. You can say it."

Frankie finally smiled. "Nah, I just think you and Tosh need your time together with this one," she placed a hand on her sister's stomach.

Chiaki grinned. "We'd love to have you anytime, Frankie. You know that."

"I'll come by soon," Frankie promised. "I swear Chi- next week or something, I'll be by for dinner. This week is crazy enough with Emma's birthday and New Year's."

"We'll hold you to that," Chiaki said. "Have fun tonight."

"I will," Frankie hugged her sister again. "Thanks for coming by Chi."

"I'll see you soon," Chiaki said hugging her back. "Take care of yourself, Frankie."

"I will," Frankie replied. "We'll have fun at Emma's party in a few days."

"I can't believe she's turning a year already," Chiaki said shaking her head. "Time really goes by fast, doesn't it?"

"Aye," Frankie agreed. "You sure you don't want me to walk you home or anything?"

"I'm not an invalid," Chiaki said laughing. "I'll be okay. We Longbottom girls are strong, right?"

"That's right," Frankie laughed too. Once Chiaki had gone, she rummaged around in her bag for her mobile and called a guy she hadn't seen in awhile, Jeff Vincent, and made plans to go dancing that very evening.

"Two can play at this game Mr. Barron," Frankie muttered as she finished getting herself ready.

Jeff arrived a few minutes later and he looked handsome as ever. "Hello Gorgeous," he said looking appraisingly at her.

"Hello there," Frankie purred, feeling more like herself than she had in ages. "Long time no see."

"I heard some nasty rumour that you were off the market," he said flirtatiously. "But imagine my surprise when you called."

Frankie's smile slipped for a moment. "Well that's an untrue rumour," she said coquettishly. "Here I am, single and loving it, as always!"

"You sure you want to go out?" he asked looking over her shoulder. "We always had much more fun when we stayed in as I recall."

"I'm in the mood for dancing," Frankie replied as they left. "I haven't been to a club in ages."

"Who've you been dating?" Jeff asked with a laugh. "A librarian?"

"Like I would date a librarian," Frankie scoffed. "Please..."

"So who was he?" Jeff asked curiously.

"Just a guy I was seeing for a while," Frankie hedged. Will actually worked for Obscurus Books, writing texts and using his Ravenclaw skills. "But it's over now so let's go have fun!"

Jeff grabbed her hand. "I can't wait to get you on the dance floor."

"It's been quite awhile, hasn't it?" Frankie asked as he pulled her close.

"Too bloody long," he said kissing her hungrily. "You're a hard woman to forget, Frankie."

Frankie closed her eyes and tried to lose herself in Jeff's kiss, but her bloody traitorous mind couldn't help comparing his lips to Will's.

Jeff pulled away from her, looking quite pleased with himself. He had no idea that the lost, faraway look on Frankie's face had nothing whatsoever to do with him.

"Let's go," she finally managed. "Let's go have some fun."

Jeff led Frankie to one of their old haunts. She hadn't been here in ages and felt a little better as she lost herself in the crowd. Jeff excused himself to get them both a drink.

They had been there for a few hours now and Frankie was sitting by herself for a moment while Jeff was in the loo. While scanning the crowd she thought she saw a familiar blonde head spinning around with an equally familiar black one.

"And to think you said you didn't like to dance," Maddie said giggling as Ethan spun her around. "I used to have to chase you around to get one dance out of you!"

"I do too like to dance," Ethan pulled her close for a kiss. "I just don't get to do it that often."

"We should change that," Maddie said dreamily. She didn't know if it was the atmosphere or being close to the man she loved, but she felt as if she were floating on air. "We should go dancing at least once a week. It is in our blood you know."

"That it is," Ethan laughed as he dipped her back, her long blonde hair touching the floor.

When he brought her back up, she caught sight of Frankie Longbottom staring at them. "Ethan! Frankie's here!"

"What?" Ethan turned around. "Where?"

"Over there," Maddie said motioning with her head. "Let's go say hello!"

"Sure," Ethan put his arms around his girlfriend and followed as she wove their way through the dancers.

"Hiya Frankie!" Maddie said warmly, raising her voice so she could hear her over the music.

"Madeline," Frankie gave the younger woman a warm smile. "You and Ethan look fantastic out there!" she kissed them both on the cheek.

Ethan laughed. "It's all Maddie. She makes me look good."

"And it's about time he realised it," Maddie giggled. "What are you up to Frankie?" she asked. "Are you here with that Will bloke we've been hearing so much about these days?"

Frankie frowned. "No, I'm with someone else actually. Will and I weren't all that serious."

"Really?" Ethan asked furrowing his brow. "But your dad said..."

Maddie elbowed him. "Well you look like you're having fun," she said, sensing Frankie's discomfort.

"Loads," Frankie said forcing a smile. "How about you? How was your Christmas?"

Ethan and Maddie smiled goofily at each other. "Amazing. Ethan and I are actually moving in together."

Frankie's eyebrows rose. "Well that's fantastic," she said, genuinely happy for them. "You both certainly look thrilled about it."

"We are," Maddie said smiling at Ethan. "I'm moving in after the first of the year."

"Well let me know if you need any help," Frankie offered. "I'd be happy to come by and help you set things up." she hugged the other girl.

"A margarita for the lady," Jeff said coming back over to join them. "Oh, I didn't know you had company..."

"Jeff," Frankie took her drink. "These are two really close friends of the family," she smiled at him. "Maddie Weasley and Ethan Potter."

"Ethan Potter?" Jeff asked in awe. "Are you any relation to THE Harry Potter?"

"That's my dad," Ethan said with a grin.

"Wicked," Jeff said grinning at him. "I bet it doesn't take much for you to get the ladies, eh? You even look like him!"

"I've got the girl I want right here," Ethan laughed, hugging Maddie around the waist. "But thanks mate."

"I didn't know you knew the Potters," Jeff said looking at Frankie. "You never told me!"

"Never came up," Frankie replied submissively. "Mum's best friends with his dad."

"She is?" Jeff asked looking very much like a kid in a candy store. "That is so cool!"

"Well we're going to get back out on the floor," Ethan said. "But let's meet up later for a drink?"

"I want to ask about that time your father won the Triwizard Tournament," Jeff said nodding enthusiastically. "And what am I talking about! Your mum's Minister for Magic! You are the luckiest bloke on the planet!"

"Sure," Ethan said, looking at Frankie for a moment. "We'll talk later then..."

Frankie watched them walk away wishing she could go with them. Jeff was chattering incessantly about her Uncle Harry and Aunt Hermione.

"They're just people Jeff," she said with a laugh.

"Yeah but they're famous people," Jeff replied.

"So?" Frankie asked wondering if Jeff had always been this shallow.

"Come on Frankie," Jeff said, sipping his vodka tonic. "Harry Potter saved our entire world. And his wife... she's pretty hot for her age not to mention the most powerful person in our universe."

"Yes he did, but he's also an ordinary person," Frankie said wondering what the big deal was. "And I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't talk about my Aunt Hermione like that."

"Sorry," Jeff said, realising he'd offended her.

"It's all right," Frankie took a large gulp of her margarita. Will had never made a big deal once he knew that Harry Potter was her godfather.

One of Nick Malfoy's songs started to play and Frankie smiled when she recognised the melody. Jeff, however, rolled his eyes. "I hate this song."

"How come?" Frankie asked. "I rather like it. He's married to Ethan's sister you know."

"That bloke has an ego the size of a Quidditch pitch," Jeff replied before draining his glass. "And I think all his bloody songs sound the same."

Frankie narrowed her eyes. "Nick Malfoy is a very decent human being," she said.

Jeff laughed. "I'm sure he is, but he needs voice lessons."

Will had never made fun of Nick or his voice, Frankie thought. In fact, he had even listened to his music and liked some of it. "I think I'm going home," she said coolly.

Jeff grinned seductively at her. "That's what I like to hear. I can't wait to get you out of that dress..."

"I meant alone," Frankie said, her tone annoyed.

"Come on Frank," Jeff said putting his arms around her. "You know why you called me..."

Frankie shrugged away from him. "And I'm sorry I did. I'll not sit here and listen to you make fun of my family Jeff."

"I wasn't making fun of your family," Jeff said nuzzling her neck. Frankie tried to push him away but his grip was tight on her.

"I think the lady wants you to leave her alone," Ethan said from behind them.

"I think you should mind your own business and leave the hero thing to your father," Jeff said without letting go of Frankie.

"Maybe I'll show you exactly what my father has taught me," Ethan's eyes darkened in anger.

That seemed to be enough for Jeff and he reluctantly let Frankie go. He looked at Ethan. "She's nothing but a tease, Potter. And she's not all that good in bed. I'd stick with the blonde if I were you..."

Ethan's fist slammed into his face before Jeff could utter another word. "And if hexing you into next century wasn't against my duties as an Auror, I'd bloody do just that." he snapped.

Jeff stumbled to his feet. "You're both completely mad!"

"Can you take me home Ethan?" Frankie asked wanting to be anywhere but here at the moment. "Please?"

"Come on Frankie," Ethan put an arm over her shoulders. "You leave her alone you idiot." he glared at Jeff.

Frankie was shaking as Ethan led her out of the club.

"I saw him getting rough with you," Ethan explained when they were out in the cool night air. "I didn't mean to interfere, Frankie. I just..."

"No I appreciate it Ethan," Frankie said as Maddie draped her shawl over Frankie's trembling shoulders. "He'd never been that way before and--"

"Hey," Ethan said tilting her chin up so she'd look at him. "It's okay, Frankie. Really..."

"Thanks Ethan," Frankie choked out. "I didn't mean to ruin your and Maddie's night."

"Ethan loves to get in a good fight," Maddie said trying to make her laugh. "He lives for it. I have to restrain him all the time."

"I let her think that," Ethan joked. "Makes her feel important."

Frankie watched them and felt an intense longing for Will. If he was here, he'd put his arms around her and tell her that everything was going to be okay.

"Did you want to come back for some hot chocolate?" Maddie asked her, noticing the look in her eyes. "I just bought some the other day."

Ethan knew Frankie didn't want to be alone, but could tell she didn't want to intrude. "Of course she does. Come on, Frankie. We're not taking no for an answer."

"I suppose it couldn't hurt," Frankie said with a small smile. "Thanks you guys. I appreciate it."

"It will give us time to catch up," Maddie said enthusiastically. "We never get to see each other like we used to."

"Tell me about it," Frankie already felt better as Ethan took Maddie's hand and they began to head towards his flat. "How was your Christmas?"

"Great," Maddie replied. "Ethan and I took Saffy, Katie and Ashley ice skating like we did last Christmas. He only fell eight or nine thousand times..."

"Sod off," Ethan said. "You fell a lot too."

"Not as much as you," Maddie said laughing. "He kept trying to blame it on Saffy."

"She's a klutz," Ethan sniggered. "Worse than Jules even."

Frankie laughed. "I haven't been ice skating in ages. There was this one time when Wi..."

Ethan and Maddie both looked at her expectantly. "I didn't even know you liked ice skating," he commented.

"Like I said it was ages ago," Frankie said dismissively. "I should take Caroline. I'm sure she'd love it."

"She probably would," Maddie agreed. "She's pretty good at it too."

"I want to spend more time with her and Emma," Frankie said quietly. "I've missed out on so much getting caught up in my own little world."

"Well you're apparently her new favourite aunt," Maddie teased. "You and your magic carpet rides and Will calling her princess... er..." she bit her lower lip. "Sorry."

"She told you about that?" Frankie asked.

"She told everyone about that," Ethan said dryly. "Multiple times I might add..."

Despite herself, Frankie laughed. "She and Will really hit it off."

"It sure seems so," Maddie agreed as they arrived back at Ethan's place.

"I don't think I've been here since you moved in," Frankie said looking around the sparsely decorated flat. "On top of being a bad aunt, I'm a terrible friend, too."

"It's understandable Frankie," Ethan said. "You're a busy girl... not everyone manages all the PR for a Quidditch team you know."

"You'll help me with decorating this place right?" Maddie asked with a teasing wink. "I have my work cut out for me when I move in."

"You don't need me," Frankie said quietly. "I'm sure you have girlfriends of your own who could help you out."

"I have a few friends," Maddie said. "But I enjoy spending time with people who like me and not for who I'm dating."

"You sure you want my help?" Frankie asked, wondering why she'd never gotten close to Maddie. She's always dismissed the blonde as much too young and immature. Tonight, Maddie and Ethan had been there for her when she needed them most. Perhaps helping them out would be a way to pay them back for all they'd done for her tonight.

"I'd love to have you come by," Maddie said with an easy smile. "Your place has always looked so lovely."

"Don't I get any say in this?" Ethan said with a fake pout. "I mean, I live here too!"

"You have brown walls," Frankie said her nose crinkling up in disgust. "That's just wrong on so many levels Ethan."

"I never had time to paint," Ethan said defensively as he and Maddie made the hot chocolate together. "And it's not so bad!"

"It's the colour of poo," Frankie said looking around. "You need a nice warm colour in here..."

Maddie laughed. "I've been telling him that for ages," she gave her boyfriend a chaste kiss. "See?"

"And you should really get some slipcovers for your sofa," Frankie said glad to have a project to keep her mind off of Will. "And you have your television sitting on crates? Oh Maddie...we have our work cut out for us!"

Ethan looked completely dumbfounded as he glanced around his flat. "Well... just don't do anything... pink." he finally said lamely. "I'd never live it down."

"Okay," Frankie said grabbing a piece of parchment and a pencil from the table. "Nothing pink. Are you against pastels in general?"

"I don't know," Ethan said. "What's a pastel anyway?"

Maddie started laughing. "It's a genre of colours," she said, resting her chin on his shoulder. "Light and airy."

"Oh," Ethan said nodding. "I think I get it..."

"Light blue would look really good in here," Frankie said thoughtfully.

"How about something like tan?" Ethan asked. "I'm really not fond of light... especially this pastel you two are talking about."

Maddie and Frankie exchanged an amused look.

"You like the poo coloured walls, don't you?" Frankie asked teasingly. "It's not that you didn't have time to paint, it's that you didn't have the heart."

"Sod off," Ethan grumbled as Maddie set the hot chocolate in front of them all. "I like my flat."

Maddie hugged him from behind. "But you like my taste too right? As long as I don't do anything with Cornish pixies?" she laughed.

"I'd take Cornish pixies any day over pink walls," Ethan said stubbornly.

"I'll keep that in mind," Maddie teased, pressing her lips to his again.

Frankie suddenly felt uncomfortable. "I appreciate the hot chocolate, but I should really be getting home..."

"Frankie you don't have to leave just yet," Maddie protested.

"No, I do," Frankie said forcing a smile. "I have an early start tomorrow. I promised Mum I'd help out at the studio."

"Are you sure?" Ethan asked. "You're welcome to stay the night if you don't feel like going home alone..."

Frankie froze at his choice of words. Home alone.

"I'll be fine," she said weakly. The last thing she wanted was for the two of them to see her crying. "Thanks again. I'll owl you later in the week Maddie about some decorating ideas."

"Thanks Frankie," Maddie gave her a hug. "I'm looking forward to it."

Frankie hugged her back and pecked Ethan on the cheek before disapparating to her cold, empty flat.

"She's not handling that well at all." Maddie said once Frankie was gone. They had been filled in on the events of the Longbottoms' Christmas Day but didn't want to say anything.

Ethan had to agree with Maddie on that one. "I've never seen her like this, Mads."

"I feel bad for her," Maddie said softly, looking at Frankie's empty seat.

"And how did she get mixed up with that bloke at the club?" Ethan asked thinking out loud. "I wanted to bash his brains in..."

"He was a bit of a jerk," Maddie agreed. "Especially when he kept asking about your dad."

"Not at all who I'd picture Frankie with," Ethan said shaking his head. "Say what you want to about her, but she never throws names around."

"No she doesn't," Maddie said as Ethan pulled her down onto his lap. "Are you getting fresh with me Potter?"

"Me?" he asked innocently. "Never!"

"I know you too well by now," she teased.

"I'm going to do what I have to in order to make sure I don't get pink walls," Ethan said grinning at her.

"I may need some convincing," Maddie said softly.

"No pink walls," Ethan whispered against her skin. "Or peach....or lime."

"Maybe we can do tan..." Maddie breathed as his lips touched her neck. "Or... something darker..." her eyes closed.

"You're too easy," he said with a laugh.

"I beg your pardon?" Maddie pulled away from him.

"To get on my side," he said quickly. "Too easy to get on my side. You know I didn't mean that like it came out!"

"Better not have," Maddie touched his cheek before leaning in to kiss him fully on the lips.

Frankie, meanwhile was stripping off her clothes and tossing them into a corner before she pulled on an old pair of pyjamas and huddling into her bed.

Her eyes fell on a picture of her and Will on her bedside table. It had been taken at one of the team's celebrations last year.

They were cheering together and laughing happily, pausing every once in awhile to kiss each other on the lips.

That all seemed like a lifetime ago. And then he had to go and ruin everything by asking her the one question she'd never expected. What scared her the most was how easy it would have been to tell him yes.

46. Chapter 46

Authors' note: Thank you for the reviews. We were going to do review replies, but the site was down for awhile and we figured you all would rather we go ahead and update instead of waiting for us to do replies and then update. So without further ado, here is the next chapter. Please tell us what you think!

And for those of you asking about the Sims – they have to be packaged up without any custom content and photographed so you can all see what they look like- plus I have to build a little website to store them in ;) I will work on it when I have a little more time and I’m sure that I will have at least some of them up before Christmas if not all! :D

Preparations for little Emma Weasley's first birthday were in full swing. Molly had taken over her grandson's kitchen and was making all sorts of food. Caroline was trying to keep Ron out of the kitchen by playing beauty shop with him. Allison was straightening up the house with Lizzy's help and wondering when Frankie was going to get here. Her sister promised to come over to help get things ready, but so far had been a no show.

Josh leaned back in his chair trying to catch his breath. "Jon, I can't blow up another one of these things. I think one of my lungs has collapsed."

"We still have another bag of these," Jon said tossing the balloon bag to his brother. "Come on, Joshie. They're for your niece."

"I think my niece would appreciate me breathing not dead," Josh grumbled, tearing into the bag.

"I'd rather blow up balloons then be doing this," Ron muttered from the sitting room where Caroline was putting some of Allison's mud mask on his face.

"Why?" Caroline asked rubbing some of the mud near his eye. "You're going to look really pretty; Grandpa and your skin will be glowing!"

Jon and Josh both snorted back their laughter at the look on their father's face. "The things you go through for the girls in this family Dad," Jon said.

"No one says one word to anyone else about this," Ron said. "No one says one word to anyone about this..."

His words were cut off by a flash of light as R.J. took a picture. R.J. looked innocently at his father. "I thought we could do sort of a before and after thing..."

"You are so dead R.J.," Josh said gleefully. "Wait until Dad gets a hold of you at home later."

"Can we get a copy of that?" Jon asked R.J. "We can put it in Allie's new scrapbook."

"Sure Jon," R.J. grinned wickedly.

Luna came into the room carrying Emma dressed in a set of pale pink robes that Molly had made for her.

"Da!" she cried out when she saw Jon.

"There's my baby girl!" Jon said happily, abandoning the balloons. "Look at my gorgeous one year old," he gave his daughter a kiss as she giggled up at him.

"She's getting so big," Luna said softly.

"I know," Allison said wistfully as Jon whirled around the room with Emma. "I can't believe it was already a year ago that... she was born and I..."

Jon looked at his wife remembering what he had nearly lost a year ago today. "I know, Al. I know."

"It doesn't matter now," Allison's expression cleared. "I'm fine, and we have a beautiful daughter who's as healthy as can be."

"That's right," Jon said smiling at her. "All three of my girls are happy and healthy and beautiful."

"Right," Allison gave him a kiss. "I've got to go check on the cake."

Jon nodded and sat back down with Emma.

"J-Jon," Josh wheezed. "I can't....do....anymore...."

Molly shook her head. "Where are Drew and Darla? I'm sure they'd be happy to help?"

"Where are Drew, Darla, Ethan, Maddie and Frankie?" Josh asked sarcastically. "Bloody hell, they all said they'd show up early to help."

"Relax," Jon said. "There's still a few hours to go and plenty to do. When they get there we'll kick back with some mead while they finish everything up."

"You do know we're talking about Drew and Darla, right?" Josh asked. "They don't get up before noon."

"Drew promised she'd have Darla here on time," Ron called out. Caroline was sitting in front of him making sure he didn't rub off the mud mask.

"Grandpa if you touch your face I'm going to have to paint your nails," Caroline threatened.

Luna stifled a laugh while Ron tried to keep being a good sport about this whole thing.

"Caroline baby, this stuff smells really bad and it's making my face itch," Ron said.

"You only have a few minutes before we can go wash it off," Caroline promised. "Then you'll be so beautiful Grandpa."

"Just don't tell Harry and Neville about this," Ron said. "I'll never live it down."

"Live what down?" Neville asked as he and Cho entered the house. Ron's eyes grew large and he made to get up and rush to the bathroom before they could see him, but Caroline plopped herself down on his lap.

"No!" Caroline said stubbornly. "NOT YET!"

"Why Ron," Neville said with a large smile. "What a new lovely look for you!" he turned so he could laugh and not hurt Caroline's feelings.

"You can be my next customer," Caroline said looking excitedly at her other grandfather. "You can get the hot wax treatment!"

Neville's smile disappeared as Ron's eyes lit up. "I think that's a fantastic idea Caroline," he said. "Your Grandpa Neville's eyebrows look like caterpillars."

Caroline smiled and walked over to Neville. She wore one of Molly's aprons around her waist and she led him over to the sofa. "Here's a magazine, while you wait, Sir."

"Uh.. thanks," Neville cast a panicked look at his wife.

"I'm sure she doesn't really have hot wax," Cho whispered sitting down beside him.

"This is not how I planned to spend my day," Neville grumbled as a crack sounded just outside the flat and Frankie, Maddie and Ethan appeared inside a moment later.

"Dad?" Maddie asked. "What on earth do you have on your face?"

"Magic Mud," Caroline answered for him.

"We're playing beauty shop," Ron informed his youngest daughter.

"Well make sure you use the tiara," Ethan sniggered.

"Tiara boy get in here," Josh said waving Ethan over. "You can finish blowing these bloody things up while I go and recover."

"Are you implying I'm full of hot air?" Ethan grinned.

"If you want my help to move Maddie in next week, you'll take over," Josh said handing him the bag.

Ethan snatched the bag away. "Come on and help me," he said to his girlfriend.

Maddie followed him into the kitchen and after giving her grandmother a hug hello, sat down to help him finish with the balloons.

"Hello Frankie," Neville said to his youngest daughter.

"Hello Dad," Frankie said. Her anger at her father had cooled over the past week but she had decided to wait until the party to see or talk to him. "How are you?"

"A little nervous to tell the truth," he said motioning over to Caroline and Ron. "I'm apparently due for a hot wax treatment."

"Come again?" Frankie asked with her eyebrow raised.

Neville explained to his daughter what Caroline had planned for him.

Frankie laughed. "Hey Caroline, how about I help you with Grandpa's wax treatment?" she asked.

Neville paled. "Francesca..."

"Do you trust me Dad?" Frankie asked.

Neville nodded. "Yes, but you've been pretty cross with me these past few days."

"I know," Frankie said. "I was pretty annoyed that you were in cahoots with Will but Chi told me you wouldn't do anything to hurt me."

"I wouldn't," Neville said sincerely. "I was only trying to help, Frankie. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have gotten involved."

"I know that now," Frankie said, giving her father a hug, which he returned gratefully. "I guess what happened was for the best."

Neville wasn't so sure, but he didn't press the issue.

"You look beautiful today sweetheart."

"Oh thanks," Frankie touched the plum coloured jumper she was wearing. "You'll probably hate what I'm wearing tonight to the party I’m going to so I won't tell you what it looks like."

"It's not those robes your mother bought for you is it?" Neville asked and Cho looked away.

"Actually no," Frankie got up. "They're shorter than that." she headed for the kitchen,.

Neville looked at Cho. "Shorter than that?"

"I haven't seen what she's wearing," Cho shrugged.

Neville could only shake his head.

"Anything I can do to help?" Frankie asked.

"Could you take Em?" Jon asked handing the little girl to Frankie. "I need to go help Al."

"Sure," Frankie smiled at the baby. "I'd love to hold the birthday girl."

"Da!" Emma called after Jon who came back to kiss her on the forehead.

"I'll be right back sweetheart, I promise," he said before hurrying away.

"Who looks gorgeous today?" Frankie asked the baby who seemed to recognise her. She brushed Emma's reddish hair off her forehead and kissed her plump little cheek.

"Why thank you Frankie," Ethan said smiling sweetly at her. "I think I'm looking rather fabulous today myself."

"Oh sod off," Frankie said as she shared a glance with Maddie. The past week had actually brought them closer as she'd come over a couple of times to help Maddie with the decor of her future residence. "Maddie looks ten times better than you do."

"Nana Molly?" Ethan asked calling over his shoulder to her. "Do you think that's true?"

"What's that darling?" Molly smiled at her granddaughter and the man she thought of as a blood related grandson.

"That Maddie looks ten times better than me?" Ethan asked. "I'll admit she's beautiful and I'm one lucky bloke, but I'm not chopped liver, am I?"

Molly smiled. "You're as handsome as your father sweetheart."

"Thank you Nana," Ethan said grinning at her.

"Don't encourage him Nana," Maddie said laughing.

"Hey," Ethan gave her the pout that never failed to make her weak in the knees.

"You are pretty cute," Maddie admitted leaning in for a chaste kiss.

"You two are pretty revolting," Frankie joked, rolling her eyes. She and Will had rather been the same way- and she now mentally slapped herself as she'd managed to push him back into the deep recesses of her mind. He hadn't contacted her since Christmas Day and after the disastrous date with Jeff a few days later, Frankie hadn't made any attempt to go out. Until tonight that is- she was determined to have a New Year's Eve she'd never forget.

"Are you sure you don't want to come out with us tonight?" Maddie asked again. "We'd love to have you Frankie."

"No thanks," Frankie said, shifting Emma to her other hip. "I have plans and no, they don't involve that Jeff bloke."

Maddie smiled. "Good because you deserve so much better than him."

"Thanks Maddie," Frankie said, her thoughts immediately returning again to Will.

"What party are you going to?" Ethan asked conversationally.

"You know that club that wizard opened in Muggle London?" Frankie asked. "A friend of mine, Alicia, got us tickets to go."

"That sounds lovely," Maddie said. "I've heard some good things about that place."

"We'll have to go sometime," Ethan said to her as they finished off the last of the balloons. "Maybe some night in a few weeks after you've moved in."

Frankie recognised the goofy look they both got when they mentioned Maddie's impending move-in and she rolled her eyes. "Okay Em, they're about to start snogging so why don't we get out of here?"

Emma cooed up at her aunt and Frankie decided to take the baby back to the nursery. Making her way down the hall, she heard the sound of soft, muffled laughter. She turned the corner to see Allison and Jon kissing.

"What is it with everyone?" she grumbled. "The mistletoe should be down, Christmas is over!"

Jon and Allison abruptly pulled away from each other at the intrusion.

"Frankie," Allison said blushing. "We didn't see you there."

"Obviously," Frankie said with a smirk.

"I'm going to go and see if I can rescue Dad from Caroline," Jon said pecking his wife on the cheek before retreating. Emma reached out for Allison.

"Maaa!" she cried. “Eat!”

"Come here my girl," Allison taking Emma from Frankie.

"She looks so cute Allie," Frankie said, smiling at the one year old.

Allison smiled. "I know. Jon and I woke up this morning and just looked at her as she slept. I've been kind of emotional all day."

"Well a year ago was an emotional time for all of us," Frankie said, her eyes focusing on a faraway spot on the wall.

"What happened helped me see how we shouldn't take each other for granted you know?" Allison said thoughtfully.

"Yeah," Frankie said softly, knowing what her sister was probably referring to.

"I'm really glad you're here," Allison said smiling at her sister. "You've been a big help to us over the years. And the girls love you very much."

"I loved spending that weekend with them," Frankie admitted. "Despite the whole jasmine thing, I had a really good time. I even snuck in here a few times to watch this one sleep."

Allison laughed. "Don't worry. I won't tell anyone."

"I don't care," Frankie smiled. "So I'm a wee bit maternal... I guess things could be worse."

"You could be about to get a hot wax treatment from Caroline like Dad is," Allison said winking at Frankie.

Frankie laughed. "No thanks. Caroline likes me too much to torture me that way."

"Don't tell Dad, but we don't really have hot wax," Allison said giggling. "She just takes some old clay and pats it down on your leg and then uses a piece of parchment to rip it off."

Frankie nearly grew hysterical. "She's certainly got the beauty shop theme down pat."

"R.J.'s been taking pictures so we can have them for posterity," Allison said as Emma grabbed hold of her hair. "Come on little one. Let's go show you off to everyone. It's nearly party time!"

"Look at all the presents Emma got Mummy!" Caroline said excitedly to her mother.

"You're going to have to help her open them," Allison told Caroline. "She's not really going to know what to make of all of this."

"That's why she's so excited," Jon grinned, scooping his older daughter up.

Frankie decided to make herself useful by stacking the presents into neat little piles.

She was almost finished when she saw a name written in a familiar hand on one of the tags that made her freeze in her tracks.

To Baby Emma from Will, the plain white tag read.

"Allie?" Frankie asked.

"Yeah?" Allison called back. "What's wrong?"

"When did this arrive," Frankie asked, holding it up.

"He stopped by this morning," Allison replied. "He asked us not to tell you. He just said he remembered Caroline mentioning Emma's birthday..."

"I see," Frankie said slowly, sticking the box back in with other packages.

"Caroline didn't see him," Allison said. "She was still asleep when he stopped by."

Frankie shrugged but she felt hollow inside. "Why should I care if she saw him?"

Allison sighed. "I just thought...well, you know how she is with questions..."

"Don't we all," Frankie asked sardonically. "It's fine Allie. He doesn't mean anything to me. Not anymore." she could tell Allison didn't believe her and Frankie didn't even believe herself.

Harry, Hermione and Saffron arrived a few minutes before the party was about to begin.

"Sorry we're late," Harry said, handing off the gift they'd bought for Emma to Molly as they all shrugged out of their cloaks. "Saffy wouldn't get up."

"I was taking advantage of the holiday," Saffron said defensively. "I don't get to sleep in when I'm at school."

"Just every weekend," Harry muttered, earning an elbow jab from his wife.

"Don't try and peg your tardiness on your daughter," Cho teased. "I have a feeling I know what you two were up to."

Hermione turned red. "I rather like blaming her," she laughed. "In that case..."

"There are children present Hermione," Cho lectured. "Ron is very innocent and impressionable."

"And what's that splotch of greenish brown on his neck?" Harry asked.

Neville chuckled. "Go ahead, Ron. Tell Harry about your experience with Magic Mud."

"Magic Mud?" Harry asked with a smirk.

"Oh you missed it Uncle Harry!" R.J. said slapping him on the back. "Caroline had Dad play beauty parlour with her and she put this brown goop all over his face. She wouldn't let him wash it off...don't worry. I've got pictures!"

"Fantastic R.J.," Harry. "You're the son I never had."

"Gee thanks Dad," Ethan said sarcastically from the sofa where he was sitting with Maddie. "You've no idea how special that makes me feel."

"I only meant that you'd never take pictures of me with something disgusting like Magic Mud on my face," Harry said quickly. "Not that I'd ever wear Magic Mud..."

"Right," Ethan smirked.

Molly called everyone to the table since dinner was now served and Ron nearly mowed down the entire family in his rush to be the first served.

"I can't believe Emma's turning one," Saffron said as she hung back with her parents. "Was my first birthday anything like this?"

"Something like this," Harry said, mussing her hair. "Nana Molly made just as much food and your Uncle Ron ate it all."

Saffron laughed. She loved it when everyone got together like this. Tonight, she was spending the evening with her grandparents while her parents went out for New Year's Eve.

Frankie sat next to her father and Allison as they ate, and tried as hard as she could to keep her mind off the fact that Will had actually brought a gift over for Emma.

"Earth to Frankie," Allison said waving a hand in front of her sister. "You look a million miles away..."

"What?" Frankie jumped. "No I'm fine," she lied quickly.

"I asked if you wanted some more juice," Allison said sharing a look with Neville.

"Sure," Frankie said. "You just startled me is all."

Frankie had barely touched her food and had seemed lost in her own little world since she'd seen the package from Will. Allison wished she could knock some sense into her sister.

She looked across the table at Chiaki and saw that her older sister was thinking the same thing. "Hey Chi," Allison began. "Will you pass me the potatoes?"

"Sure," Chiaki said handing the bowl to her. "If you will hand me a bread roll."

"Of course I will," Allison said with a hidden grin. "It will taste better with some of that homemade jam on it."

"You two are so mature," Frankie said rolling her eyes. "I know what you're trying to do."

"What are you talking about Frankie?" Chiaki asked, the picture of innocence.

"Will this and Will that," Frankie said throwing her hands up in exasperation. "You're both very, very transparent."

"I was simply asking for potatoes," Allison said with a shrug. "And Chi wanted some rolls with jam on them. It's not our fault your mind is on him."

"I am not thinking about Will Barron," Frankie retorted. "I haven't given him much thought since Christmas to tell the truth."

"Sure you haven't," Allison muttered.

"I haven't!" Frankie argued.

"Will you give it a rest?" Cho asked her daughters.

"Not you too," Frankie snapped. "Knock it off, all of you!" she would never in a million years admit that she was near tears at the moment.

Sensing that Frankie needed some sort of relief, Chiaki decided to make her big announcement. "I have some good news actually."

"You do?" Cho asked. "Is it about the baby?"

Chiaki nodded. "About the babies, actually. Plural."

Everyone blinked for a moment and stared at Chiaki, who wore a huge grin. "Chi, sweetheart, you're having twins?" Neville finally uttered.

Chiaki nodded and shared a look with Toshio. "We found out yesterday."

Cho's eyes filled with tears. "That's fantastic news," she said, getting up. "Absolutely fantastic news!"

"Congrats Chi," Allison hugged her sister. "And you too Tosh!"

"Thanks," Toshio said. "We're going to have to buy two of everything now."

"Does this mean we have to throw you another baby shower?" Frankie asked, also hugging her sister.

"Double the gifts," Chiaki said laughing. "I like that."

"I'm really happy for you," Frankie said sincerely.

"Thanks Frankie," Chiaki said smiling at her. "But hey, this is Emma's party..."

"How about we open up Emma's presents?" Luna suggested. "And then we can all have cake!"

"Cake!" Ron's face lit up. "That sounds good to me!"

"Down boy," Josh said patting his father's head. "Presents first."

"I'll help," Frankie said, eager to escape her sisters' looks.

Josh and Frankie stacked the presents beside Emma who looked at the gifts in awe. "Da?"

"Those are all yours baby girl," Jon said, nuzzling her smooth cheek.

Emma giggled and Caroline handed her one of the presents. When Emma just stared at it, Caroline laughed. "Don't worry, Em. I'll show you what to do."

Everyone smiled as Caroline carefully ripped back the paper while Allison sat by with a piece of parchment to record who had given Emma what so they could send out thank you cards later.

Frankie momentarily forgot her problems as she watched Caroline help Emma open her presents. Emma was cleaning up quite nicely, Frankie thought.

"Those robes are from Lavender," Hermione said as Caroline handed a set of light blue, pink and yellow robes to Jon. "She's sorry she couldn't make it."

"She and Seamus were busy on set today," Harry added. "Now that they've started working together on films we hardly hear from them at all." he grinned. "I'm not complaining of course."

"Dad, I thought you were going to be nicer to Aunt Lav," Saffron reminded him.

"Saffy we've always talked about each other like that," Harry said. "Ask your mum."

"It's true," Hermione shook her head but smiled. "They love to hate each other."

"Kind of like you and me, eh Hermione?" Ron asked still chewing on a bread roll.

"Something like that Ron," Hermione laughed.

"Look Em," Caroline said putting a present wrapped in silver in front of her sister. Frankie froze. This was Will's present. She felt her breath catch in her throat as Caroline tore back the paper and opened the box to reveal a Classic Winnie the Pooh teddy bear.

"He remembered," she whispered.

The bear was soft and held a honey pot in his lap. Emma squealed and reached for it, and Frankie could hardly stand it anymore. The tears she'd been fighting all afternoon sprang to her eyes and she got to her feet and raced out of the room.

Everyone stared after her and Cho silently got up to go and check on Frankie. She found her sitting on the edge of Caroline's bed, sobbing into a pillow.

"Frankie?" Cho asked softly.

"Leave me alone," Frankie said through her sobs. "Just leave me the bloody hell alone!"

Cho contemplated doing just that, but she couldn't bear to watch her daughter like this and not do anything. She sat down beside Frankie and put an arm around her. For an awful moment, Cho thought she was going to run away, but Frankie just broke down in her mother's arms while Cho patted her back sympathetically.

"I miss him all right Mum?" Frankie bawled. "I hope Allie and Chi are satisfied now. I miss him so damn much it's killing me!"

"Oh sweetheart, no one wants you be unhappy," Cho said softly. "Allie and Chi were only trying to help. They don't like to see you in pain."

"No, we don't," Chiaki answered from the door, where she and Allison were standing.

Frankie looked up in surprise. Her first instinct was to say something smart or sarcastic, but there was no need now, was there? They all obviously knew how she felt.

"It's not too late Frankie," Allison said quietly. "If you really love him, it's not too late."

"He hates me now," Frankie wiped at her eyes, smearing her makeup in the process. "He even came by when I wasn't home and took all his things away. He left mine sitting in a bloody cardboard box in the middle of my sitting room." she buried her face in her hands and started sobbing again.

"He doesn't hate you," Chiaki said soothingly. "He's just hurt. You two just need to talk this out."

"I know he won't see me," Frankie accepted the tissues Allison held out to her. "I can tell he doesn't want to see me ever again."

"You don't know that," Cho said brushing back the hair from Frankie's face. "You can at least try."

"I'm scared," Frankie admitted with a shuddery sigh. "I'm scared of all of this..."

"It's okay to fall in love Frankie," Allison said quietly. "I always knew you would one day- and I don't mean that in a condescending way. I'm just glad it happened with a guy like Will."

"Me too," Frankie sniffed. "But you don't know him like I do. He was so hurt the other night when I turned him down. He said it was over."

"He was hurt," Cho repeated. "But it's only been a week. I bet if you went and talked to him, it's not too late sweetheart."

"I don't even know where he is," Frankie said quietly.

"I bet he's not too hard to find," Chiaki said. "Especially if you know him well like you said."

"He mentioned something about his parents having a family thing," Allison said smiling broadly at Frankie. "When he stopped by, Jon asked him what he had planned for tonight..."

"They're having a party," Frankie tried to wipe off the remains of her eye makeup. "He invited me, we were supposed to go together but now..."

"See you know exactly where he is," Chiaki gave her younger sister a hug.

"I can't just go over there," Frankie said hugging Chiaki back.

"Why not?" Allison asked. "Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right?"

"Because," Frankie said. "I'm sure he's told everyone by now what a horrid person I am, turning down a marriage proposal on Christmas Day. They'd never let me in the house." she shook her head. "I'd be better off waiting until he cools down after the holidays are over."

"Will doesn't strike me as the type to do that," Allison said thoughtfully. "Frankie, he took a big chance when he surprised you on Christmas. The ball is in your court now."

That thought stayed with Frankie all night. It was now ten in the evening and she was in the midst of a throng of wizards, partying their fool heads off and waiting for the stroke of midnight.

"Frankie," Alicia came over. "Bloody hell, you look fantastic but your face says someone just killed your Kneazle."

Frankie gave Alicia a weak smile. "I guess I'm not in much of a party mood."

Alicia raised an eyebrow. "You? Not in a party mood? Please." she rolled her eyes and pushed her glass of champagne at her friend.

Frankie shook her head. "I shouldn't have come..."

"What are you talking about?" Alicia asked. She obviously had no idea why Frankie was in such a depressed mood. "We're at the best bloody party in London Frankie. People would have killed to get in here!"

"Then why do I wish I was somewhere else?" Frankie asked aloud.

Alicia stared at her. "I don't know," she said as if she was dumbfounded.

Frankie didn't want to ring in the New Year drinking champagne with people she didn't know. She didn't want to kiss some random guy at the stroke of midnight. She wanted to spend it with Will. Maybe Allison was right. If they really loved each other, it wasn't too late.

"I have to go," she said suddenly.

"What?" Alicia really was dumbfounded now. "Frankie..."

"I'm sorry," Frankie said grabbing her cloak. "We'll do lunch sometime this week. Happy New Year!"

"Frankie!" Alicia exclaimed as her friend disappeared.

Nearly a half hour later, Frankie found herself on the front steps of the Barron house. This was crazy, she thought. His family probably hated her as much as Will did. They'd crucify her and she'd be more humiliated than she already was.

Summoning every ounce of courage she had, she knocked on the door. A few moments later, a woman opened the door. Frankie had never met her, but she'd seen pictures of her at Will's flat.

"H-hi," Frankie stammered. "You're Mary right? Will's sister?"

"That's right." The woman looked at her appraisingly. "You're Frankie aren't you?"

Frankie nodded. "I'm sorry to stop by like this, but is Will here?"

"He's here," Mary didn't move from the doorway.

"Let her in," a voice came from behind her.

47. Chapter 47

A/N: Thank you all so much for the reviews- you all really don’t like cliffies do you ;) Don’t worry- this one doesn’t end on a cliffhanger, and it still doesn’t wrap up everything that happens with our characters on New Year’s Eve. We guarantee the next chapter will have you ROFL ;D

As always please let us know what you think! See you all on Saturday!

Frankie's breath caught in her throat as Mary stood back to reveal Will.

"Hi," she whispered.

His face remained solemn. "Hi," he said in an emotionless tone. "Mary I've got it."

Mary nodded and walked away leaving Frankie and Will in the foyer. In the distance, Frankie could hear someone talking. She could imagine them all listening intently while Mary told them the woman who'd trampled on Will's heart was back to inflict more damage.

"Emma loved her present," Frankie finally said. "Thank you for remembering her."

Will nodded. "It was the least I could do," his eyes were dying to roam over body, which was sheathed in a tiny, clinging gold dress with matching heels. On anyone else it would have looked tacky but on her it looked stunning. Her hair was pulled up in a loose knot with a few pieces hanging around her face. "What are you doing here?"

"I wanted to thank you for the present," Frankie said quietly. "And..."

"Did I forget something at your place?" Will asked. "I'm pretty sure I brought back everything of yours." he closed the door behind her as she stepped inside.

Frankie shook her head. "No, you got everything. That's not why I'm here."

Will looked at her a moment, not cracking a smile. "Well we're having a party so if you could be quick about it..."

Frankie knew he wasn't going to make this easy on her. "I miss you," she told him simply.

A flicker of emotion passed through his eyes but he stayed silent.

She wrung her hands and bit her lower lip. "You see, the truth is, you scare the hell out of me, Will." She saw the look of horror on his face, she held up her hand. "The way I feel about you scares the hell out of me. I don't know what I'm doing half the time."

Will shook his head. "I don't know how you feel Frankie," he said. "You told me you loved me but it's clear you only said it to appease me. Your reaction on Christmas made that perfectly apparent."

"I didn't say it just to appease you," Frankie told him. "Will, I meant it. I do love you. I always have. I just...I didn't realise how much until we were apart."

His expression softened but his stance remained hard. "And now you just want what you can't have?"

Frankie sighed. "You know that's not true, Will!"

"No I don't, Frankie," Will replied. "You can't have it both ways here."

He wanted her to tell him how she really felt, she thought. It was time to lay her cards on the table, just like he had done at Christmas. She stepped closer to him. "I love you, William Christopher Barron. I always have, you know. I was just too scared to admit it to myself."

He didn't want Frankie to know how much she was affecting him, how much just her mere presence affected him. "Frankie," he looked down as she drew even closer. "I wish I could believe you--"

"You can," she interjected touching his cheek. "I love you, Will."

"I loved you," Will stepped back. "Hell, I still do love you. But you hurt me really bad, Frankie. Do you have any idea how shitty I've felt since then? You can't just take that back by saying you're sorry and that you love me now."

"I know," she said her heart sinking. "I keep seeing the look on your face when were in my dad's kitchen. I know I can't take it back, Will. But can't we try again? Maybe we could start over? Please give me another chance."

"You say you love me now," Will replied. "But a week from now you could be back to the way you were, for all I know. I don't want to go through that again."

"I'm not going to change my mind," she said fixing her eyes on his. "Not today, not next week. Not ever."

Will bit his bottom lip. She could see that he was struggling to believe her- his head was obviously disagreeing with his heart. "I wanted to marry you," he said quietly.

"And now?" Frankie asked.

"It's obvious we don't want the same things," he said. "So why bother with any of this?"

Frankie didn't know what she was doing, but she somehow found herself kneeling down in front of him. This was quite difficult in her dress and she imagined she looked like a complete idiot, but she didn't care.

"Will Barron," she said looking up at him. "Will you marry me?"

Will's eyes shot wide open. "What?"

Frankie took his hand. "Will you marry me?"

"Frankie," Will pulled her to her feet.

"What?" she asked innocently.

Will shook his head. "Why are you asking me this? You can't have changed your mind over something this huge in one week."

"Because I want to marry you," she replied smiling shyly at him.

"Why?" Will asked, still unable to smile. "Why now? Why not a week ago when I asked you?"

Frankie thought about this. She'd been thinking about this question all night after she'd talked to Allie, Chi and her mother. "I didn't know you were going to ask me, Will. I had no idea. And then out of the blue, you asked me in the middle of my dad's kitchen. It took me off guard. And I freaked out.

"When I came back to my flat and saw that you'd packed up your things " she continued. "I felt like I'd been kicked in the stomach. I actually thought you'd cool off and we'd go back to how we were."

Will snorted. "After that?"

Frankie nodded. "But seeing that, made me realise that you meant what you said. That we were over and there was no going back. And I tried to put on this brave face for everyone. I even tried going out with someone else, but that was a complete disaster. The entire night I kept comparing him to you and he didn't even come close, Will."

"I tried seeing someone else too," Will uncrossed his arms. "Had kind of the same effect."

Frankie hadn't expected that. "Oh," was all she could say.

"I'm still in love with you," Will said. "But I just don't want to go through all that again."

"I don't either," Frankie said looking hopefully at him. "This past week, I've spent time with Jon and Allie and with Ethan and Maddie and I want what they have, Will. I never thought I did, but I actually do. And I want that with you."

Her words finally seemed to have the impact she was looking for. "Really?" he asked, reaching for her hand as they sat on the bench together.

"Really," she said encouraged by his touch. "I've been miserable without you."

"Hasn't exactly been easy without you either," Will confessed. "I keep seeing you everywhere I go."

"You have?" she asked. "Me too. I didn't even want to go back to my flat because I have all these memories there with you."

"Yeah," he brushed his hair out of his eyes. "That's pretty much how it's been for me as well."

They sat holding hands for what seemed like forever. "You never answered my question," she pointed out.

"I'm supposed to do the asking," Will said, finally cracking a smile.

"Says who?" Frankie asked laughing.

"Says the one with the ring," Will pointed his wand in the direction of the stairwell and a moment later the familiar black box zoomed into his hand.

"You kept it?" Frankie asked her eyes shining.

"Couldn't get rid of it," Will pulled it from the box. "So um... if I was to ask you again... can I expect a different answer?"

Tears welled up in her eyes as she nodded.

"Marry me Frankie?" Will asked in a whisper.

"Yes," Frankie replied throwing her arms around him. "A thousand times yes!"

Will laughed for the first time since Christmas. "I love you Frankie." he said as he slipped the ring over her finger. "I love you loads."

"Kiss her Uncle Will!" a little voice called out and Frankie turned to see all of Will's family huddled up in the sitting room watching and hanging on their every word.

"That's your family then?" Frankie asked with a laugh.

"Aye that's the lot of them," Will said. "You can all go about your business now," he called out.

"Aren't you going to introduce us to our future sister-in-law?" Jack asked cheekily.

"Right," Will took Frankie's hand. "This is Frankie Longbottom," he said. "And Frankie, that's my brother Jack, my sister Mary..." he introduced her to them all.

"It's nice to meet you all," Frankie said hoping she'd remember all their names. Will had a big enough family to give the Weasleys a run for their money.

"Listen we're going out," Will said after a round of congratulations had been heard and the party had started up again.

"We are?" Frankie asked. "Where are we going?"

"Anywhere," Will said, pulling her away. "I just want to be alone with you."

Frankie smiled. "I think I know just the place..."

"Where might that be?" Will asked, drawing her close as they left the house.

"My place," she replied before kissing him, feeling as if she'd just come home.

Will kissed her back; he'd been wanting this from the moment he saw her at the door. "Damn it I missed you a lot," he said softly.

"I was so afraid you'd slam the door in my face," she said.

"Can I be honest?" he asked softly, tracing her cheek with his fingers. "I sort of wanted to at first. But the look on your face kept me from doing that."

"Is your sister a witch?" she asked. "I thought she was going to hex me when she opened the door."

"No," Will laughed. "She's not."

"Good to know," Frankie said with a relieved sigh. "She's pretty scary."

"She'll be your best friend tomorrow," Will said. "Everyone's a bit defensive of me, being the baby of the family."

"I want them to like me," Frankie said. "Like my family likes you."

"They will I promise," he slid an arm around her trembling shoulders. "You're freezing..."

"I didn't exactly dress for the occasion," she said explaining to him about going to the club with Alicia. "I should have changed clothes, but I just wanted to get to you as fast as I could."

"I like what you have on," Will put his arms around her waist and pulled her close.

"You do?" Frankie asked grinning at him.

"I also can't wait to take it off you," Will leaned in and kissed her.

"Me too," Frankie said dazedly when they pulled apart. "Let's go home, Will."

"Home," he stroked her cheek. "I know what I want to be doing with you at the stroke of midnight."

"I think that can be arranged," she said.

*** *** ***

"You know I'd rather be home alone with you, right?" Harry asked, his breath hot on his wife's neck. They were all at a party being held near the Ministry that evening, everyone formally dressed. Harry pulled at the collar of his dress robes as Hermione gave him a devilish look.

"We might be able to sneak away around midnight," she said. "I know a few little dark corners we can tuck ourselves into and not be seen..."

"That doesn't sound like something the Minister would do," Harry teased.

"She doesn't have to be Minister tonight," Hermione's tone was husky.

Talking like that only made him want to take her to one of those secluded spots right now. "So tonight she's just..."

"Plain...old..." she kissed him. "Hermione Jane."

Harry shook his head. "She's neither plain nor old. She's the most beautiful woman in the room. And I hope that she'll do me the honour of dancing with me even if I am just some sad sack dance instructor she took pity on a few summers back..."

She laughed. "That was more than a few summers ago now," she accepted his hand and they went out onto the dance floor.

"Best summer of my life," he said as they began to move to the music. "That one summer changed my entire life."

"Mine too," Hermione smiled at him. "And now I feel like I'm on top of the world. I have three beautiful children, my husband is the sexiest wizard alive and I have the job I've dreamed about since I knew I was a witch."

"And for once everything seems normal," Harry said pulling her close. "At least for us anyway."

"Normal is still overrated," Hermione said with a grin. "I prefer you."

Harry laughed and spun her around. "Never a dull moment with me around, eh?"

"Thank goodness for that," Hermione laughed as Harry dipped her back then brought her up and kissed her.

Harry was aware that quite a few people were watching them, but he didn't care. To him, it seemed as if they were the only two people in the room.

"I love you so much," Hermione rested her head against his shoulder.

"I love you too," he whispered.

"Give it a rest you two," Ron said, his mouth full as he balanced a plate in one hand from the buffet and had his other arm around Luna. "Not every public place has to be your personal snogging playground."

"Didn't your mother ever tell you not to talk with your mouth full?" Hermione shot back.

"Many, many times," Ron grinned at her.

Hermione rolled her eyes and took Harry's hand as they followed Ron and Luna back to their table.

"Little Emma was so cute today," Hermione commented to Luna. "I can't believe she's already a year old!"

"I know," Luna replied. "Time flies by so fast these days. I can't believe Maddie's moving out either."

"You'll still have R.J.," Hermione reminded her. "So you don't have that empty nest just yet."

"Not quite yet," Luna sat down next to her. "And I couldn’t' be more thrilled that she's moving in with Ethan."

Harry noticed Ron was a little quiet. "It's going to be hard to let her go, isn't it?" he asked his best friend, remembering how hard it was when he'd had to help Julie move out.

"A little," Ron admitted, pushing what little food remained around his plate. "All my girls are moving on now."

"Just moving out, not moving on," Luna said smiling at her husband. "Drew and Darla promised they'd come around more and you know Maddie won't forget about us, Ron."

"I know that," Ron said quickly. "It's just hard seeing my baby girl grow up is all."

"I keep seeing that four-year old girl with the blonde curls carrying Dolly around in that little cage," Hermione said. "And how no one could turn her down once she gave you that look."

"The look," Luna began laughing. "The look that wore even the hardest people down."

"Even Ethan," Harry said laughing. "It only took her a few years, but she finally wore him down."

"What did she say it was?" Hermione thought for a moment. "Fourteen?" they all laughed.

"That's our Maddie," Luna said laughing. "Tenacious to a fault."

"Well here's to her and Ethan being the happy couple," Harry snagged four glasses of champagne off a passing waiter's tray.

"Here, here!" Hermione said as they all clinked glasses.

"What are you guys doing?" Lavender asked, dragging Seamus behind her.

"Distract her please," Seamus collapsed in a chair. "I don't think I can move my feet for the next three hours..."

"Seamus Finnigan dancing?" Ron asked. "Does someone have actual proof? Photos, perhaps?"

"My husband is a good dancer now," Lavender settled herself on his lap. "I've trained him well."

"You've bribed me well more like," Seamus said shaking his head.

"I don’t' hear you complaining," Lavender said in a sing song voice.

"No, I'm a glutton for punishment," he said laughing.

"Thanks so much for those robes you made for Emma," Luna said. "She loved them."

Lavender beamed. "I'm so glad! I can't wait to go over and see her in them. I knew those colours would work perfect for her as well!"

"It's a shame you had to miss the party," Harry said. "You could have seen Ron in all his glory."

"I heard about it," Seamus grinned wickedly. "R.J. was kind enough to owl over a few pictures of Mr. Magic Mud over there."

"I'm going to kill that kid!" Ron exclaimed. "Selling his own father out!"

Everyone laughed. "Come on Ron it was funny," Hermione said. "Even you have to admit it."

"Yes well, I only did it for Caroline's sake," Ron grumbled. "She's like Maddie. You can't tell her no."

"Where do you think she got it from?" Luna asked.

"Maddie's been giving lessons, has she?" Hermione asked.

“Caroline picks up on everything,” Ron said. “So she just watches what Maddie does and follows suit.”

"Jon and Allie will have their hands full then," Lavender said before taking a sip of her champagne.

"Aye, especially if Emma learns tricks from her big sister," Hermione laughed.

"I see more Magic Mud in your future mate," Harry said to Ron. "They might even ask you to do adverts."

"Sod off Potter," Ron glared at him. "You wouldn't be able to say no to her either."

Hermione laughed. "Harry should probably keep his mouth shut about this because I seem to remember him getting roped into playing dress up with Saffy when she was around Caroline's age."

Ron's eyes lit up. "Oh do tell me more, Hermione." he grinned. "Ickle Harry in a dress?"

"It wasn't a dress," Harry muttered.

"It was a miniskirt," Hermione said, trying to hide her laughter.

"Which I wore over my trousers thank you very much," Harry said while everyone laughed. "And before you ask, no there aren’t any pictures."

"Damn," Ron said. "Maybe I can get my hands on a time turner and--"

"You do and those pictures R.J. took will end up on the front page of the Prophet," Harry interjected.

Ron glared at him. "I hate you."

"Boys," Hermione said. "You've both done some embarrassing things for your children and grandchildren. Act like the mature blokes that I'm sure you are underneath, okay?"

"I'd like to dance with my wife," Harry tossed back the rest of his champagne. "And possibly find a dark corner to snog you in."

"It's nearly midnight Harry," Lavender said pouting. "Don't you want to ring in the New Year with the rest of us? We should all be here toasting..."

"I see the rest of you all the time," Harry pointed out.

"That doesn't matter," Lavender said looking to her cousin who she was sure would see things her way. "Seamus and I are all the way over in the States most of the time. We came all the way over here to celebrate with you and all you want to do is go have a quickie in the cloakroom!"

"Why don't you say that a little louder," Harry said sarcastically. "I don't think the reporters over there heard you."

"I'm not being that loud, am I?" Lavender asked turning to her husband.

"Of course you aren't," Seamus replied.

"See," Lavender said turning back around and smiling triumphantly at Harry.

"Come on Hermione," Harry ignored Lavender as Neville and Cho joined them, laughing breathlessly from their dancing antics. "Let's go celebrate privately and we'll come back out."

"I promise we'll be back before midnight," Hermione promised her cousin.

"Yeah right," Lavender called back, watching helplessly as her cousin walked away. "You know he did that just to spite me!"

"Nah, he's just antsy," Cho said, sitting on Neville's lap. "You know how he is- if he's not getting it on the hour, every hour..."

"Cho!" Ron exclaimed. "I'm trying to eat here!"

"When aren't you?" Neville cracked.

"When I'm sleeping or when I'm working," Ron replied.

"That's not true," Luna laughed at her husband. "I caught you sleepwalking to the icebox the other night and you are always snacking on something when I see you in the shop."

"Not always," Ron said defensively.

Luna just shook her head. She looked across the table at Cho. "Have you heard anything from Frankie? She looked so sad at Jon and Allie's."

"Not yet, but I think she's finally sorted herself out," Cho answered. "I hope she can manage to talk to Will. He's really a delightful bloke."

"And I'm going to stay out of this completely," Neville said. "I've learned my lesson. Bad things happen when I try to get involved in my daughters' love lives."

Ron snorted and Luna gave him a look. "I didn't say anything!"

"You didn't have to," Luna said. "But if one good thing came out of all of this, Frankie and Maddie seem to be getting close. Maddie told us Frankie's been a big help."

"That's so sweet," Lavender commented. "Poor Ethan though, he doesn't know what to think with the two of them getting the redecorating bug. I've been after him for years to paint those walls."

"Frankie really does have a good eye for things like that," Cho said thoughtfully.

"Her place is quite lovely," Lavender commented. "But I don't know about why she's been so sad- you've all kept me out of the loop here!"

Cho quickly filled Lavender in on what had been going on with the youngest Longbottom.

"Which one is Will?" Lavender asked.

"The one she's been seeing for about what, four years now?" Cho asked Neville.

"Something like that," Neville replied.

"They always broke up but kept getting back together," Cho reported. "And then on Christmas he came over and proposed and she got scared and turned him down."

"This is better than those American soap operas," Lavender said.

Cho laughed. "Well I hope she managed to work things out. I guess we'll find out tomorrow at brunch."

"Seamus and I have to leave early tomorrow morning," Lavender said. "But you have to promise me you'll let me know everything that happens."

"I'll owl you with full details," Cho promised.

Luna looked dreamily at Ron as he finished off his food. "You look very handsome tonight, Mr. Weasley," she whispered.

"Why thank you," Ron grinned. "You look your usual gorgeous self my Loony."

"Care to dance with me?" she asked.

"Always," Ron replied. "I'd like to tango you into a corner like my good mate Harry has done to his wife."

"Let's make sure we don't tango into the same corner," Luna said taking Ron's hand.

"Good idea," Ron grimaced. "See you lot later."

Lavender frowned. "Not them too! Well, it looks like it's just you and me and...wait, where did Neville and Cho go?"

"Do I really want to know?" Seamus rolled his eyes. "Nice of us to come all the way over here isn't it?"

"I know," Lavender said outraged. "We come all this way to spend the holiday with them and all they want to do is snog. You know, I really think we should stop coming around as much as we do. It would show them not to take us for granted."

"That's right love," Seamus grinned at her. "I could do the same thing they're doing right now though. Snogging you in a dark corner sounds fantastic."

"They could come back though," Lavender pointed out. "Hermione promised she'd be back before midnight."

"Let them wait for us," Seamus's eyes were lusty.

"Right," Lavender said smiling seductively at him. "You did say you were knackered though..."

"I've just happened to get a second wind..." Seamus began.

"You're going to need it," Lavender purred.

"Is that a fact?" Seamus stroked her cheek.

Lavender nodded. "You won't be able to get out of bed tomorrow morning."

Seamus leaned in and gave his wife a thorough kiss. "I say we go back home after this and we celebrate New Year's twice."

"That would be fantastic," Lavender said enthusiastically.

"It's a plan then," Seamus said. "I feel a third wind- let's dance our way into a bit of privacy aye?"

"There's a first," Lavender said giggling. "YOU actually asking me to dance. But then again, you do have an ulterior motive."

"Do I really need a motive?" Seamus brushed his lips along her bare collarbone.

Lavender smiled. "No. So let's go find that privacy before anyone comes back."

"Right," Seamus pulled her away.

In a secluded corner in the back of the hall, Harry was trying very hard not to lose all self-control while his wife nibbled on his ear.

"Harry," she said in a low, purring tone. "I want you right now..."

"Right here?" he asked pulling away.

"I'm so tempted," Hermione's eyes were dark with desire.

The place was teeming with reporters and photographers and he knew it would be all too easy for one of them to stumble upon this intimate scene.

"We'll be good for now," he whispered. "But when we get home, all bets are off."

Hermione kissed him full on the mouth, nearly biting his lower lip. "I'm going to rip these robes off you," she said breathlessly.

"How much longer until we can go home," he said against her skin.

"We'll leave just after midnight," Hermione finally pulled away. "Damn it, if I don't stop now I won't be able to."

"I know," Harry said. "But I have good news. We have about four minutes until midnight."

"Do we really have to join everyone else?" Hermione asked, her forehead resting against his.

"You did promise your crazy cousin," Harry said softly.

"Right," Hermione groaned. "I'll never hear the end of it if I blow her off now."

"We wouldn't want that now, would we?" Harry teased.

"Guess not," Hermione kissed him again. "Come on you..."

"Right," Harry said reluctantly allowing Hermione to pull him back out into the open.

They rejoined their friends where they'd previously been sitting. "Boy Lavender gives us an earful for sneaking off and she's not even here," Ron complained.

"And you're complaining?" Harry asked.

"Sod off," Ron said. "I was enjoying my wife over there."

"And not a half hour ago you were reaming me out for wanting to do the same," Harry said sarcastically.

"Have some cake Ron," Luna said, reaching for the buffet and snagging a piece of chocolate fudge cake for her husband.

Ron beamed at her. "Thank you sweetheart. That piece is kind of small though."

"Have half the cake," Neville joked. "It's big enough."

"I wouldn't want to take it all," Ron said cutting into the cake with his fork. When he saw all of his friends staring back at him in surprise, he shrugged. "You know unless none of you lot wanted any of it."

"I'd rather have another glass of champagne," Hermione said. "We only have about a minute until midnight."

Neville motioned for one of the wait staff to come over to their table. "Everyone get a glass..."

"Here, here," Harry raised his. "To another great year!"

Someone started a countdown and they all joined in. "Ten. Nine. Eight..."

"Seven!" Harry bellowed.

"Six!" Neville echoed, sliding his arm around Cho.

"Prhvive," Ron said his mouth full of cake.

Luna laughed. "Four...three...."

"Two!" Hermione said with a smile at her husband and friends.

"One!" Lavender and Seamus came up at the very last moment, champagne flutes in hand. "Happy New Year!"

Luna tapped Ron on the shoulder. "Ronald..."

"What?" Ron asked, swallowing his cake.

"Kiss please?" she asked leaning in.

"Right," Ron leaned in, dropping his plate on the table and winding his arms around his wife. "Happy New Year love."

"It's after midnight," Harry whispered to Hermione in between kisses. "Can we go home now?"

"Give it just a few more minutes," Hermione pressed her lips to his urgently. "Let our friends know we care and then we're out of here."

Harry motioned for her to turn around. "I don't think they'd mind."

Hermione laughed. "I think they all have the same thing in mind as we do," she said. "All right, you've convinced me. Let's go..."

"Happy New Year!" Harry called out to his oblivious friends as he helped Hermione with her wrap. Without breaking his kiss with Cho, Neville waved goodbye.

They Apparated back into their home and immediately came back together in a heated kiss. "Happy New Year Harry," Hermione said huskily as he began to peel her robes off.

"The night's not over yet," he said with a toothy grin. "It's just beginning."

"And we're alone," Hermione laughed softly. "Just like the old days in our cottage..."

"Aye," Harry said picking her up. "It would be a shame not to take full advantage of this... "

"You've read my mind Mr. Potter," Hermione leaned in to kiss him.

"Can you read mine right now?" he asked looking into her brown eyes.

"You love me," Hermione said with a laugh.

"And?" he asked carrying her upstairs.

"You're dying to make mad, passionate love to me until at least four in the morning," Hermione intoned.

"You're spot on," he said smiling at her. "Must be tiresome to be right all the time."

"Mmm, maybe just a little," she said as he kicked their bedroom door shut. "But you'll wake me up now won't you?"

"I'm certainly going to try," he said setting her down on the bed.

"And I'm willing to let you," Hermione said as his lips met hers again.

*** *** ***

Maddie was happy that her first real New Year's with Ethan wasn't going to be spent in a waiting room at St. Mungos. He'd promised her a night out on the town and they'd even convinced Ethan's best mate Justin to come along with his girlfriend Sarah.

"I still don't know what you see in Potter, Maddie," Justin teased. "I think he got the better end of your deal."

Maddie laughed. "I've been after him for years," she said with a grin. "But I won't argue with your logic."

"Neither will I," Ethan said squeezing her hand.

"He can hardly stop talking about you during training," Justin said.

"He's the same way about Sarah," Ethan told Maddie.

"What does he say?" Maddie asked Justin interestedly with a smile for her boyfriend, who turned red.

Justin grinned. "Let's see. Maddie is so great. Maddie is the best thing in my life. Maddie is moving in with me and I can't believe how lucky I am."

"Did you really say that?" Maddie asked, leaning her head on Ethan's shoulder.

"More or less," Ethan said blushing. "Of course my tone wasn't as sarcastic and amused as his. It sounds better coming from me."

"Everything always does," Maddie said with a grin.

This was the first time Maddie had ever met Justin's girlfriend and she'd been somewhat quiet the entire evening. Maddie hoped that they would be able to get along seeing how close Justin and Ethan were.

"Justin said that you just finished up University," Maddie said trying to engage her in conversation.

Sarah smiled. "Yes, finally."

"What was your area of study?" she asked, disentangling herself from Ethan as the guys went to go get them some drinks from the bar.

"Wizarding law," Sarah said. "I kind of fell into it actually. When I finished up at Hogwarts, I really didn't know what I wanted to do and then Br...I mean my best mate sort of talked me into it."

"I know a few people in Wizarding law," Maddie said. "My brother works in it as well. Maybe I know your best mate."

Sarah's cheeks reddened and she looked quite uncomfortable. She looked over her shoulder to where Ethan and Justin were at the bar wishing they'd come back.

Maddie got the impression she was making the girl uncomfortable for some reason so she decided to change the subject. "I love the robes you're wearing," she said.

"They're not really mine," Sarah admitted, still not looking very uncomfortable. "I borrowed them."

"Well whoever you borrowed them from has great taste," Maddie smiled.

"Thanks," Sarah said forcing a smile.

Maddie sat back as Sarah looked away onto the dance floor. "So um..." she said, at a complete loss for words. She was beginning to get the idea that this girl didn't like her, but she wasn't sure why.

"Don't you two look like the life of the party," Justin teased as he and Ethan came back to the table. "Who died?"

"Very funny," Sarah said taking a glass of white wine from him.

"Thank you," Maddie said to Ethan as he gave her a cosmopolitan.

"I asked them to make it light for you," he said in her ear.

"Thanks," she said wincing a little at the memory of the last time she'd had too much to drink. She looked over to where Sarah was whispering something to Justin. Something definitely wasn't right here and she couldn't put her finger on what. As far as she knew, she hadn't done anything to offend the girl.

"I have a surprise for you at midnight, just so you know." Ethan said, his nose bumping her earlobe.

Maddie smiled at him. "Really?"

"Uh huh," Ethan grinned back. "But you're going to have to wait to find out what it is..."

Maddie was intrigued. "Okay, but I can't wait to see what you have in store for me."

Ethan gave her a quick kiss. "You and Sarah hitting it off?"

"Um," Maddie said biting her lip. "Not exactly..."

Ethan looked baffled for a moment then he flushed dark red. "Come here for a sec," he pulled her away from the corner where the four of them were sitting. "Promise you won't kill me?"

Maddie looked quizzically at him. "I really am trying to get along with her, but she's not making it easy. I don't think she likes me very much..."

"She's Bree's flatmate," Ethan said, wincing as if he expected her to fly into a fury. "She's the one who set the two of us up..."

"Bree's flatmate?" Maddie asked. "No wonder she doesn't like me."

"She shouldn't have any reason not to," Ethan said quickly. "I mean, Bree doesn't hold any hard feelings for us breaking up so I don't know why Sarah's being snarky about it."

Maddie nodded. "She probably feels uncomfortable going out on a double date with her flatmate's ex and his new girlfriend. It's understandable really."

"So you're not mad?" Ethan asked. "I'm really sorry- I should have told you but I completely forgot and--"

Maddie held up her hand. "I'm not angry. It's okay. At least I don't think I've done something wrong now. I want to get along well with your friends, Ethan. That's very important to me because they are important to you."

He sent her a grateful smile. "This is one of the reasons I love you," he said, pulling her close.

Maddie smiled. "Do you think I should say something to her? I feel really bad..."

"I don't know," Ethan replied. "But you shouldn't feel bad. What happened between myself and Bree is none of her business."

"I know," Maddie said looking back over at the table where Sarah and Justin were talking. "I just don't want things to be awkward between all of us. I really do like Justin and I think Sarah and I could be friends if she gave me the chance."

"Just be yourself," Ethan said, his arm snaking it's way around her waist. "No one else can resist you so why should she?"

Maddie laughed. "I'm not five years old anymore. I think my magic has worn off a bit."

"Not for me it hasn't," Ethan kissed her. "Not by a long shot Maddie Molly."

Maddie smiled and gave him one last kiss before they headed back to the table. Apparently, she and Justin had words too because Sarah actually smiled at Maddie when she sat back down.

"I-I'm sorry if we got off on the wrong foot, Maddie," she said sincerely.

"That's all right," Maddie said graciously. "I didn't realise you were Bree's roommate."

"Bree and I have known each other since we were little," Sarah explained. "She's my best mate. And she and Ethan...well, I had hoped that what they had would last."

"Sarah," Justin tried to interject, but Sarah put her hand on his arm.

"She was really hurt when they broke things off," Sarah said. "But I shouldn't take it out on you. It...it wasn't your fault."

Maddie smiled at her. "I understand."

"We saw her just a few weeks ago," Ethan interjected his arm across Maddie's shoulder. "She seemed to be all right with things, at least that's what she told me. I'm surprised you didn't drag her out tonight Sarah."

"I tried," Sarah said. "But she made plans with her cousins. Justin and I are going to take her out for breakfast tomorrow though."

"Anyway," Justin said. "It's about time I took you out on the floor." he grinned at Sarah.

"Yeah leave us be in the dark corner," Ethan joked. "Just where Mads and I like to be."

"Just don't give us any details when we get back," Justin shot back over his shoulder.

"You won't need any," Ethan said loftily.

"Make him behave Maddie," Justin said before taking Sarah away.

"I don't know," Maddie joked. "I kind of like it when you misbehave."

"I know you do," Ethan replied mischievously.

"So how much longer until I get my surprise?" she asked.

"Midnight," Ethan replied as she sipped at her martini.

"That's nearly an hour away," Maddie reminded him.

"So you'll only have to wait an hour," Ethan teased her.

Maddie pouted. "You can be so infuriating sometimes, you know that?"

"Isn't that what you love about me?" Ethan asked, moving closer on the plush sofa they were sharing.

"Sometimes," Maddie said relaxing against him. "What a difference a year makes, eh? Last year at this time, we almost lost Allie."

"I know," Ethan replied. "We were sitting in a hospital cafeteria right now trying to figure out just what our relationship was."

"And now we're about to move in together," Maddie said shaking her head. "I can't believe I'm moving out of my parents' house. Today when I was packing, it suddenly hit me."

Ethan pulled her closer. "Do you regret it?" he asked with a slight catch in his tone.

"No," she replied. "But I've lived with them my entire life, Ethan. R.J. and me were the only ones still left at home. With him away at school most of the time, I don't know...I just feel like I'm deserting them."

"We'll visit all the time," he promised. "Plus we live close, and you can pop over in the Floo anytime you feel like it." he smiled at her. "Besides, I'm sure after having the six of you around for so long your folks are dying for a little peace and quiet." he teased.

"I know," Maddie said tearing up a little. "But I'll miss the little things, you know? Like Daddy and I will sometimes get up in the middle of the night because we've both got the munchies and we'll sneak downstairs and have biscuits and milk. We've been doing that since I was four. And we never have to wake each other up either. It's just something we both do..."

Ethan folded her into his arms. "We don't really have to do this if you don't want to Maddie," he nearly choked on the words but he forced them out.

"I want to," she said looking up at him. "I really do, Ethan. It's just going to be hard to move out. That's all."

Ethan stroked her hair back. "Only if you're really sure."

"I am," she told him. "I guess it's different with men, eh? You probably couldn't wait to get a place of your own."

"I moved out as soon as I could," Ethan grinned. "And it wasn't that living at home was so bad because it wasn't. You'll see when you move out- there's just this great sense of being on your own that you'll love."

"Josh and Jon said the same thing," Maddie said.

"Once you settle in, you'll love it, I promise," Ethan said, still stroking her hair.

Maddie rested her head on his shoulder. "I know I will."

"Want to go out there and dance?" Ethan asked.

"I'd love to," she replied. "It will help keep my mind off that surprise of yours."

Ethan laughed. "You'll find out in exactly... forty five minutes..."

Maddie groaned in frustration. "This is torture, Ethan."

"I'll give you a little hint," Ethan asked, pulling her hips against his. "It involves us going somewhere a bit more... private..."

"I like the sound of that," Maddie said softly.

"Good," Ethan pressed his lips to hers as she wound her arms around his neck.

Maddie wasn't normally one for public displays of affection like this, but the club was dimly lit and most of the people around them were doing the same. She boldly parted her lips beneath his and kissed him harder.

The next forty minutes were rather excruciating for both of them but Ethan finally made her close her eyes and led her to the lift near the back of the club.

"When you said we were going somewhere private, I assumed you meant your place," Maddie said. "Where are we going?"

"You'll see in a minute," Ethan said, guiding her onto the lift. "Eyes still closed?"

"Yes," she replied.

He waved his hand in front of her face to make sure and then pressed the button that would take them up to the top.

"All right," he said, taking her hands. "Just a few more steps..."

Maddie felt the wind in her hair and shivered. "Are we outside?"

"Yes," Ethan said, wrapping his arms around her and turning her to face his little set up. "Okay," he whispered.

"I can open my eyes now?" Maddie asked.

"Yes," he chuckled.

Maddie smiled and opened her eyes. "Oh...Ethan...it's..."

"It's simple," he said with a smile. "But it's just the two of us..."

"It's perfect," Maddie whispered taking in the starry night sky. "It's absolutely perfect."

Ethan poured them both a flute of champagne. "It's a small bottle," he teased her. "See- just two glasses finished it off."

"I'm never going to live that down, am I?" she asked blushing.

"I still haven't told anyone about it," Ethan reminded her, clinking his glass against hers.

"Thank you for that," Maddie said. "I still can't believe how out of control I was."

"It's all right," Ethan kissed her. "Hey it's almost midnight. About thirty seconds to go..."

He reached into his pocket and felt for the little box that held his real surprise.

Maddie took another sip of her champagne and didn't notice Ethan pull something out of his pocket.

"Ten!" the crowd celebrating on the street below them screamed. "Nine!"

"This is so exciting!" Maddie exclaimed wanting to get up and take a look at the crowd down below, but Ethan put his hand on her shoulder.

"Wait," he said as the countdown continued down. "I have something I want to give you," he said as it reached midnight and bells started clanging.

"You've already given me so much," Maddie said softly. "I don't need anything else."

"First," he leaned in and gave her a kiss. "Happy New Year Maddie Molly. I love you more than anything."

"Happy New Year, Ethan," she echoed. "I love you so very much."

He grinned. "Here's the real surprise," he opened the box and held it out to her.

Maddie's hands were shaking as she took the box. "Ethan..."

"It's a promise ring," Ethan said. "Not an engagement ring." he pulled it from the box and took her right hand in his. "I promise someday, Madeline Molly Weasley, to marry you." he slid it onto her trembling finger.

Maddie was completely speechless as she looked from the ring back to Ethan. A single tear fell down her cheek.

He wiped it away. "I hope it's all right..."

"It's more than okay," she finally managed to say. "Ethan, it's...this is the most amazing thing anyone has ever done for me."

"I love you," he said, pulling her close again. "I'd do anything to make you happy."

Maddie kissed him. "I feel the same way."

He pulled her close and kept his mouth firmly pressed to hers as fireworks spun around them in the night sky. "Cold?" he asked several minutes later when they finally pulled apart.

Maddie nodded. "A little..."

"We can go back downstairs then," Ethan waved his wand at their empty champagne bottle and glasses and they disappeared. "I just wanted to give you that without a huge crowd around us gawking."

"I'm glad you did," Maddie said happily. She looked down at the ring on her finger. "This is really beautiful."

"I had a little help in picking it out," Ethan confessed sheepishly. "Jules has good taste."

Maddie giggled. "Yes she does. Remind me to thank her."

"I will," Ethan said as they got into the lift. "But for now..." he leaned in and kissed her again.

"Happy New Year Ethan," she said softly.

"Happy New Year," he whispered, tracing down her cheek.

48. Chapter 48

AN: We had an absolute BLAST writing this part of the New Year’s Eve- and this chapter ends the evening for all the characters ;) We hope you all enjoy this bit, and as always, please leave us a review telling us what you think! :)

"Are you sure you don't want something a little stronger?" Allison asked Lizzy. The two of them were in the kitchen getting drinks. "You're not on call tonight. You can live a little."

"I know," Lizzy said pouring some ale into a mug for Josh. "Pumpkin juice is fine."

Allison peered at her suspiciously so Lizzy grinned. "I've just felt a bit under the weather lately and I don't want to do anything to ruin tonight. I've been looking forward to this for too long."

"Me too," Allison agreed. "Tosh and Chi should be here a little later. They went with Nick and Jules to some industry do."

"You're not too knackered, are you?" Lizzy asked her friend. "Two parties in one day..."

"We really just want to get rid of the leftover food from the party earlier today." Allison replied. "We could always have invited Jon's dad back over but we decided it would be nice to kick back with everyone instead. And Chiaki wants to keep things quiet tonight- especially since she's gotten so big and its getting late on in her pregnancy."

"I still can't get used to seeing your sister pregnant," Lizzy said with a laugh.

"Tell me about it," Allison smiled. "Especially when she's been 'the thin one' all our lives."

Lizzy laughed and she grabbed her glass of juice along with Josh's ale and followed Allison back into the sitting room.

"Thanks love," Josh smiled at his wife as she handed him his drink and pecked her on the lips. "You're the best."

"I have my moments," Lizzy said. "What's that you’re looking at?"

"Pictures from Emma's party," Josh said. "R.J. developed them this afternoon. He's pretty good, eh?"

"Aye," Lizzy nodded. "I'm impressed. He's got quite the eye there."

"He does," Josh agreed. "He's going to work at The Quibbler this summer. Grandpa's ecstatic."

Jon looked at a picture of Caroline as she helped Emma open her presents and he smiled. "Hey, Al. Caroline looks just like you when you were a kid."

"She does sort of resemble me doesn't she?" Allison asked with a grin.

"Thank God for that," Josh joked. "She could look like Jon."

Jon glared at his brother. "You look just like me."

"Unfortunately," Josh grinned at him.

Jon shook his head and returned his attention back to the photos. "Al, she's the mirror image of you. Same brown hair...same sweet smile."

Allison grinned at him. "You're sucking up to me but I'm not sure why..."

"I'm not sucking up to you," he said innocently. He went over to the bookcase where Allison’s scrapbook from Caroline was. He flipped through the pages and grinned. "Come here....see?"

Allison, Lizzy and Josh stood around Jon and saw a picture of a five year old Allison with the twins. "What have you got on your head there?" Lizzy asked curiously.

"A veil," Allison said smiling.

"That was during one of our pretend weddings," Josh began to laugh. "I remember those!"

"Excuse me, your what?" Lizzy asked.

"I used to make them play wedding when we all got together," Allison explained. "They both hated it."

"I have to hear about this," Lizzy said settling down on the sofa.

Allison smiled. "Well, there was this one summer when we all went to Brighton with Uncle Harry and Aunt Hermione. I remember I was sad because Chiaki and Julie got to go into town and I couldn't go with them...."

*** Flashback***

Cho handed Allison the box of clothes she'd found in the attic.

"What am I supposed to do with this?" Allison asked.

"You can play dress up, sweetie," Cho replied.

"With who?" Allison sniffed.

"I'm sure the boys would play with you," Cho said. "Especially if you ask them nicely."

"You really think so?" Allison asked hopefully looking out onto the deck where Josh and Jon were playing Exploding Snap.

Cho smoothed her daughter's hair back. "Go ahead and try," she smiled. She could hear Frankie start to cry downstairs in the nursery.

"Okay," Allison said lugging the box behind her as she stepped out onto the deck. "Whatcha doin'?" she asked shyly to the twins.

"Playing a game," Josh said. "Exploding Snap. It's really cool!"

"Oh," Allison said trying to hide her disappointment. There was no way the two of them would let her join in and they probably wouldn't want to look at the box of old clothes.

"What have you got there Allie?" Jon asked curiously.

"Just some stuff," she said, trying to act like nothing was wrong.

"What sort of stuff?" Jon asked walking over to her.

Allison blushed, thrilled that they actually seemed interested. "My mum told me it's some old clothes from the attic."

"Just old clothes?" Jon asked peering over the box. "Is there anything really cool in there like a sword?"

"I don't know," she said truthfully. "Do you guys want to play with me?"

Josh and Jon exchanged a look.

"Sure," Josh replied. "I guess..."

"Really?" Allison asked, her brown eyes lighting up.

"Sure," Jon said with a shrug pulling out an old black suit jacket. Josh picked up something white and lacy.

"What's this?" he asked holding it up.

"Ooh," Allison said. "It's a beautiful wedding veil!"

"What do you do with it?" Jon asked his nose scrunching up in disgust.

"Silly," Allison pulled it out of his hands. "A girl wears it when she gets married." her eyes grew wide. "Let's play wedding day!"

Josh and Jon exchanged a horrified look before both saying rather loudly "NO!"

"Please?" Allison begged. "If you play with me I'll let you guys have my chocolate cake at dessert tonight."

"All of it?" Jon asked.

Allison nodded, even though she hated giving up her cake. It was her favourite kind but she wanted to play with the twins more than anything. "For the next two nights," she added for good measure.

"Okay," Josh said reluctantly. "But you can't tell anyone about this."

"And I'm not wearing that thing," Jon said pointing at the veil."

"I get to wear it," Allison said. "I'm the bride." she paused for a moment. "Who's going to marry me though?"

"Not me," Josh said stepping back.

"Thanks," Jon said sarcastically to his brother. "I guess you're stuck with me then."

"That's okay," Allison dug through the box. "Here's a dress for me- and another coat for Josh. And here's a ring for you to propose with!"

Jon took the silver ring and put on the coat which was way too big for him. "How do you know about all this stuff anyway?"

"Chiaki told me," Allison replied, sliding into a moth eaten white lacy dress.

"Chiaki knows everything," Josh said slipping into his own coat. "Ewww....Allie this smells!"

"It's from the attic," Allison said. "Mummy said it was up there for a long time."

"Obviously," Josh said holding his nose.

Paddington tried to get into the box, but Jon waved him off. "Get out of there boy!"

"He can be your best man Jon," Allison said, finding a bow tie and wrapping it around the dog's neck.

"My what?" Jon asked impressed and a little scared that she knew all of this. "But he's a dog."

"It's pretend stupid," Josh said hitting his brother on the arm.

"I know that you dummy," Jon shot back with a glare.

"Boys," Allison said stepping between them. "We shouldn't fight on my wedding day."

Jon glared at his brother and stuck his tongue out before turning to Paddington. "You going to be my best man boy?" he asked, patting his knees. The dog jumped up on him and Jon scratched behind his ears.

"You're so lucky to have a dog," Allison said leaning down. "I always wanted one."

"If we get married, the dog will be yours too," Jon said laughing as Paddington licked his face.

Allison giggled. "I don't have a maid of honour. But that's okay though."

Jon held up the ring. "What am I supposed to do with this then?"

"You have to ask me to marry you," Allison said with a grin.

Josh snickered earning a glare from both Allison and Jon.

Jon blushed bright red and in a low voice asked Allison. "Allie, you wanna get married or something?"

"That's not how you ask," Allison chastised. "You're supposed to get down on one knee and hold the ring out." she crossed her arms. "And be romantic about it!"

Jon gulped. "I don't know how to be mantic."

"RO-mantic," Allison corrected. "Just pretend you're in love with me!"

"What?" Jon asked in disbelief.

"Pretend," Josh chimed in enjoying this far too much.

"Um, okay," Jon said getting down on one knee. He tried to think of something sweet and mushy to say. "Allison, you are the prettiest, bestest girl in all the whole wild world. Would you marry me?"

Allison laughed. "Okay," she said happily. "I'll marry you Jon!"

Jon smiled. "So what do we do now?"

"Well since Paddy's the best man, Josh will have to be the minister," Allison said, pulling on Jon's arm. "Stand here Josh."

Josh did as he was told and folded his arms. He hoped no one came out and saw them doing this.

"Now you have to have us read our vows," Allison said, making sure Jon was standing right where he was supposed to.

"Who gets to go first?" Josh asked.

"Usually the guy does, I think," Allison chewed on her lower lip.

"Dearly loved," Josh said remembering something he'd seen on the telly. "We're gathered on this deck to marry my idiot brother..."

"Josh!" Jon interjected angrily.

"Be nice," Allison warned him. "It's my wedding day and I don't want you to ruin it!"

"Okay," Josh said sheepishly. "I'm sorry. We're here to marry my brother Jonathan Weasley to Allison Longbottom."

Allison smiled encouragingly at Jon who looked as if he'd rather be anywhere but right there. Paddington sat down with a thump, his tail hitting the wooden floor as he looked between his two young masters.

Thankfully, none of the three children noticed that their parents were watching and taking pictures from just inside the beach house.

"Do you want to get married, Jon?" Josh asked looking at his brother with a smirk. "Forever and ever until you die?"

"I guess," Jon said reluctantly.

Allison nudged him . "You're supposed to say 'I do'."

Jon rolled his eyes. "I do," he said as Allison held her hand out and he put the ring on her finger.

"Allison do you want to marry Jon forever and ever until you die?" Josh asked her.

"I do," Allison answered properly, taking the ring off her finger and putting it on Jon's.

Josh nodded and he recalled something else he'd seen on the telly about weddings. He couldn't wait to see the look on his brother's face.

"By the power granted to me, I now announce you husband and wife. You may kiss the bride!"

Jon paled. "What?"

"Kiss the bride," Josh said triumphantly.

"Nobody said anything about kissing anyone," Jon said looking to Allison for help.

"It's okay," Allison said. She didn't really want to kiss Jon any more than he wanted to kiss her. "We don't really have to do that part. That's why it's pretend." Josh's face fell at her words.

Jon smiled in relief. "We could...Pinky swear instead."

"Okay," Allison grinned, holding out her hand.

Jon linked pinkies with her. "Okay?"

"Okay," Allison said agreeably.

Josh looked up and saw that they had an audience. "Oh no!"

"What?" Jon asked, spinning around. "Man!" he began to pull at the coat. "Stop taking pictures Mum!"

"Oh but you look so cute!" Luna squealed.

"Allie made us do it!" Jon exclaimed. "We didn't want to but she promised us all her cake!"

"That's how I got your dad to marry me," Luna said snapping another picture.

"Stop!" Jon threw the coat aside and stomped into the house.

Neville went over and picked up Allison. "Sweetheart, your first fight as a married girl!"

"Daddy did you see it?" Allison asked. "I got married to Jon!"

"I did," Neville said touching her veil. "You look so pretty too. Prettiest bride in the whole world."

Allison giggled and gave her father a hug. "Next time you can walk me down the aisle!"

"There won't be a next time!" Jon called from inside the house. "I'm not playing this ever again!"

Josh laughed. "You can't take it back now! Jon's married! Jon's married!"

"Shut up Josh!" Jon said. "Hey since I got married that means I GET THE CAKE!"

"He's definitely YOUR son," Luna said sharing an amused look with Ron.

"Can Jon and I play honeymoon too?" Allison asked innocently.

"Do you know what a honeymoon is baby?" Neville asked.

"Where we go on holiday?" Allison said with a nod.

"You're already on holiday," Neville pointed out. "But how about at tonight's dinner, we'll call it your wedding feast?"

Allison laughed. "Okay Daddy!"

"What do you say Jonathan?" Luna asked her son. "You up for a big dinner in your honour?"

"Do I get extra cake?" Jon asked suspiciously.

"I think that can be arranged," Luna replied.

"No fair!" Josh said. "He already gets extra cake!"

"And there's no kissing," Jon said with a scowl. "I like Allie just fine but I'm not kissing her no matter how cute you think it is!"

"That's my kind of son-in-law," Neville said causing Allison to laugh.

"You know it's just pretend right Daddy?" Allison asked in a whisper.

"Thank goodness for that," Neville tweaked her nose. "I'm not quite ready to give you up to any bloke yet."

"If I'd chosen to be the groom, I'd be getting all the cake!" Josh grumbled stalking back into the house.

Neville set Allison back down and told her and Jon to clean up the mess they'd made and then they'd get ready for dinner.

Allison took off her veil and put it in the box. She looked over at Jon who was gathering up his jacket and Josh's. "It wasn't too bad, was it? And we get dinner too!"

"I guess it wasn't bad," Jon replied. "You'd be a pretty cool wife, since you didn't make me kiss you or anything gross."

"Ewww," Allison said. "I'm never going to do that."

"Me either," Jon agreed. "Kissing's for grown ups."

"You know what we could do tomorrow?" Allison asked with a devilish grin. "Tomorrow, Paddington and Josh can get married!"

Jon began to laugh. "Wicked idea!"

"And Josh can wear the veil!" Allison said giggling.

"I can't wait," Jon said, already thinking about how much he could take the Mickey out of his twin for this.

"Do you think you'll ever get married?" Allison asked taking the bow tie off of Paddington's neck. "Like for real?"

"I don't know," Jon shrugged, closing the box. "Maybe someday."

"When we're old," Allison agreed. "Really, really old. Like our parents!"

"Maybe then," Jon agreed.

***End Flashback***

Lizzy was laughing so hard that she was crying. "Did...did Josh marry Paddington?"

Josh turned red. "They sort of made me," he muttered.

"That was a beautiful ceremony," Allison teased. "Too bad you wouldn't let anyone take pictures, Josh."

"Yeah and let them haunt me the rest of my life?" Josh smirked. "At least everyone will look at your pictures and think it was just a premonition or something."

"Jon has gotten more mantic over the years," Allison said leaning against her husband.

"Damn straight I have," Jon put his arm around his wife.

Lizzy laughed. "And Neville actually approved the first time too!"

"Thank goodness he finally approved altogether," Allison said, her head on Jon's shoulder.

"That's the sweetest story I've ever heard," Lizzy said smiling at them. "Not as sweet as Josh and Paddy mind you, but sweet just the same."

Allison and Jon grinned at each other. "Our real wedding day was just as mantic as our fake one." she leaned in and kissed him. "And this time we actually got to snog when we were done with our vows."

"And have a honeymoon," Jon said grinning at her. "Or at least a real wedding night."

"We had two of those," Allison agreed.

"Lizzy and I can do without the details please," Josh said quickly. "In fact, all this talk has made me quite thirsty. Anyone need a refill?"

"Sure," Lizzy said. "I'm just having pumpkin juice."

"Don't you want some champagne?" Josh asked. "We're celebrating right?"

"Maybe later," Lizzy said. "My stomach's been bothering me since yesterday."

"You're working too hard," Josh said. "It's those double shifts."

"They'll let up after the holidays," Lizzy said.

"I'll have another drink," Jon said, handing his glass to his brother. "Make it a double."

Josh laughed. "Certainly sir, would you like me to turn down your bed for you too? Perhaps leave a mint on your pillow?"

"If you're offering," Jon said with a wicked grin.

"Anything for the master of the house," Josh said sarcastically before going into the kitchen.

"Hear that Allie?" Jon asked. "Peace and quiet..."

"I know," Allison sighed. "I'm so glad we got to kip earlier this evening otherwise I'd never stay up until midnight."

Jon smiled at the memory of he and Allison cuddling up with Caroline and Emma on the bed. After a long giggle fit from Caroline, they'd all drifted off to sleep.

"It was a great day," he said kissing her forehead.

"Aye," Allison said. "Any day I get to spend with my family is a great day."

Jon smiled. "I don't know what we'd do without you Al. I really don't."

"Caroline would probably bathe with Max every night," Allison teased, making Lizzy laugh.

"I only let her do that once," Jon said defensively. "And it saved loads of time."

Allison looked at Lizzy and both women shook their heads. "You're such a... male." Allison said to her husband.

Jon beamed at her. "Thank you."

"I don't think she meant it as a compliment," Lizzy said laughing.

Josh came back in and handed his wife her juice. "Emma made out like a bandit," he said to his brother and sister in law.

"She did," Allison agreed. "We had to store most of it in the guest room."

The doorbell chimed and Jon grinned. "I think that might be the rest of our party..."

"About time," Lizzy said. "It's already a quarter past eleven."

"We're small potatoes," Allison said laughing. "I'm sure rubbing elbows with celebrities is a lot more fun than some small party at your little sister's."

"They could have invited us," Josh pretended to pout.

"Invited who?" Julie said coming up behind him and grabbing his cheeks. "Ickle Joshiekins?"

"Jules!" Josh yelled.

"Don't mind my wife," Nick said taking off his cloak. "She had a bit too much to drink at the party."

"I had one glass of champagne," Julie said mussing Josh's hair. "Joshie, Joshie!"

"One glass really means about six," Nick said. "Come on, I told you that you could squeeze me as much as you wanted once we got here Jules."

Julie hugged her husband and giggled.

"She used to do that to me all the time when we were kids," Josh said to Lizzy. "Squeeze my cheeks."

"Aye," Jon said. "He used to wish she'd squeeze his other cheeks at one time..."

Josh threw one of the decorative pillows at his brother. "Stuff it Jon."

"Thanks Josh," Jon said with a grin. "I was wanting that."

"And this girl is wanting a place to sit," Chiaki waddled into the sitting room. "Goodness, you'd think I was carrying six babies instead of just two in here..."

"You're having twins?" Josh interjected. "Whoa, Chi. That's...."

"We just found out the other day," Chiaki grinned. "You must have been in the kitchen when we told everyone earlier."

"I was recovering from blowing up all those bloody balloons!" Josh said glaring at Jon.

"Yeah, recovering with all my bloody Firewhisky," Jon retorted.

"I sure hope our twins get along as well as you two," Toshio joked.

"They will," Chiaki said as Toshio helped her sit on the sofa. "Our children will be perfect!"

"They'll certainly be good dancers," Julie said. "It's in their blood."

"That's right," Chiaki said. "Allie- have you got some water or juice or anything?"

"Oh, of course," Allison said quickly getting to her feet. "I'll get you some pumpkin juice. How about you Tosh?"

"I'll have a beer if you've got one," Toshio said. "Thanks Allie."

"Sure," Allie said taking Nick and Julie's requests too before disappearing into the kitchen.

"So how was your shindig?" Jon asked Nick. "Did you sing and scare everyone off?"

"Not at all cousin," Nick said helping himself to some of the crisps on the table. "It wasn't that type of party anyway. We just had to do some meet and greet with some industry people. That's all."

"Besides, you can't carry a tune at all Jon," Josh teased. "Sound just like a sick cat when you try to sing."

"No he doesn't," Allison said loyally coming back into the room with their drinks. "He sounds sweet."

Josh laughed. "Sweet and Jon don't go in the same sentence Allie."

"Yes they do," Allison said sitting down beside Jon. "He is very, very sweet."

Jon put his arm around his wife. "Take notes, all of you." he said smugly.

"Speaking of sweet," Julie giggled. "Did Ethan tell any of you what he's giving Maddie tonight?"

"Do I want to know what he's giving my little sister?" Jon asked.

"Yes, smart arse," Julie said, leaning back against Nick. "He bought her a promise ring!"

Lizzy grinned. "Oh, that's so romantic!"

"That's the sweetest thing," Allison gushed.

"All kidding aside Jules," Josh said. "I'm glad she's going to be with Ethan. He'll look out for Maddie. We won't have to worry about her."

"He loves her so much," Julie said with a grin. "He talks about her all the time."

"Who'd have ever thought?" Nick asked. "I can still remember him running away from her."

They all laughed. "Like at our wedding," Chiaki said. "She had to twist his arm to get him to dance with her."

"And my dad used to have to bribe him to be nice," Julie said with a laugh.

"Seems so long ago," Allison said. "But speaking of weddings," she shared a look with her sister. "I wonder if Frankie bit the bullet and went to Will's place."

"I tried ringing her mobile earlier but I kept getting her voice mail," Chiaki said. "But we'll find out tomorrow at brunch, I guess."

"I'm going to go crazy if I don't find out soon," Allison declared.

"We should do something to take your minds off of it," Toshio said.

"Like what?" Chiaki asked.

"Yeah like what?" Allison asked, taking a sip of her wine.

Toshio shrugged. "I have no bloody idea..."

"I know!" Julie exclaimed still light headed from the party. "We could play Truth or Dare!"

"How old are you?" Josh asked teasingly.

Julie stuck her tongue out at him. "Scared Joshie?"

"No," he said sticking his tongue out at her. "I was a Gryffindor!"

"Joshie's got some deep dark secrets he doesn't want the rest of us to know," Jon said, reaching for a handful of crisps.

"I do not," Josh said defensively. "I am an open book. If you lot want to play, let's play."

"Great," Julie giggled. "Who goes first?"

"I'll go," Nick said leaning back on the sofa. "I'm not scared. Give it your best shot."

"Okay," Julie laughed at her husband. "Truth or dare?"

"Dare," Nick grinned at her.

Julie grinned mischievously at him. "I dare you, Nicholas Malfoy to..."

"Don't make him go starkers," Josh said. "I don't need to see that."

"Like any of you would get that lucky," Nick retorted playfully.

"Okay," Julie said rubbing her hands together. "Nick, I want you to get a bed sheet...remove all your clothes and make a toga out of it. You have to wear it the entire game and anytime it's your turn everyone has to yell 'HAIL CAESAR!' And if anyone forgets to do this, they have to do the same!"

Jon nearly fell off the sofa he was laughing so hard. "I'll go get a sheet," he chuckled, rushing down to the closet.

"Okay," Nick said boldly taking off his shoes. "I don't have a problem with this. That was so weak, Jules. And I wouldn't laugh too hard Jon, you might be wearing one too before the night is over."

"Are you going to strip in front of us?" Chiaki rolled her eyes. "I don't need to see my brother in his nude suit thank you."

"No," Nick said glaring at her.

Jon came back into the room carrying an old white sheet. "Here you go, Nicholas."

Nick grabbed it and headed for Caroline's bedroom.

They decided to wait until Nick came back to continue the game and they all kept their eyes trained on the hallway so they wouldn't miss anything. A few moments later, he emerged from Caroline's bedroom wearing nothing but the sheet styled in a makeshift toga.

"Too bad we don't have R.J.'s camera," Jon mused to Allie.

"Sexy!" Julie catcalled. "You can come sit by me!"

Nick laughed. "Okay then. Try and control yourself."

"Who's next?" Josh asked.

Nick looked around the room. "Jon," he said. "Truth or Dare mate?"

"Truth," Jon replied.

"Wimp," Nick said. "All right... I'll keep my dare in mind for the next time around..." he thought for a moment and then grinned wickedly. "What's Allie's pet name for you in bed?"

Jon squirmed. He wasn't so sure he wanted Josh to know this. "Is it too late to change my mind?"

"Yes," Nick said smugly.

Jon frowned. "Well, um...she sort of calls me..."

"Yes?" Josh asked leaning forward.

Jon mumbled something unintelligible.

"Didn't quite hear that mate," Nick said. "Care to repeat that?"

"Boo-bear," Jon whispered.

"Boo bear!" Josh hooted, falling back and laughing.

Jon glared at him. "Yeah keep laughing, Josh. Let's have you go next. Truth or dare?"

Josh thought for a moment. "I'm too scared to think of what you'd have me admit if I said truth, so dare."

"Okay," Jon said gleefully. "I dare you to recite that poem you wrote for Julie when we were 16. That one you were going to give to her when we were at Hillsdale..."

"H-how did you...I never wrote her ..." Josh stammered.

"You wanted dare," Jon reminded him happily.

Josh turned bright red and buried his face in his hands not wanting to look at any of them while he recited the poem.

"She's like the moon and all of the stars," Josh said his voice muffled by his hands. "To have her love me would be like going to Mars. She makes me happy, she makes me smile. How I wish she would notice me, even just for a little while..."

Jon was rolling on the floor laughing as was Nick, although the blond did his best to make sure his toga stayed together. The girls were all staring at Josh with stars in their eyes.

"That's so sweet I'm going to cry," Chiaki said.

"Chi, that was horrible," Toshio said. "But I guess we can give you a pass since you're pregnant."

"Joshie!" Julie exclaimed giving him a hug. "You're soooo sweet!"

"Yeah well..." Josh muttered. "I never said I was a poet all right?"

Julie pinched his cheeks before sitting back down beside Nick.

"Okay," Josh said. "Allie, truth or dare."

"Umm..." Allison thought for a moment. "I guess dare." she took a long swallow of her wine in preparation of what Josh might make her do.

"Your wife is braver than you Boo-bear," Josh said to Jon.

"Shut it Poetry Boy," Jon shot back.

"Okay, Allie," Josh said grinning at her. "My dare is sort of complicated. You have to guess what everyone's middle name is. And for each one you get wrong, you have to take off a piece of clothing."

"Hey," Jon sobered up. "I don't want anyone seeing my wife naked!"

"I think I've got this covered," Allison said thinking she knew everyone's middle name. "Don't worry, Jon."

"Okay," Josh sat back with a grin. "Start."

"Okay," Allison said standing up. She looked over at Jon. "Jonathan Arthur Weasley."

"Duh," Nick replied. "Easy one for you."

Allison grinned. "Yes it was Nicholas Tarrington Malfoy."

"Keep going Allie," Josh said with a grin.

"Julie Liliane Potter Malfoy," Allison said earning a high five from Julie. "And you Healer Elizabeth Michelle Mitchell Weasley."

Josh was starting to look disappointed. "Almost there Allie."

She correctly guessed Chiaki's middle name, but completely blanked out on Toshio's. "It's...um....well it's..."

"Oooh," Lizzy teased. "Off with the shirt!"

"How long have I been in your family?" Toshio asked pretending to be offended.

"She doesn't have to take off her shirt," Jon said. "She can take off a shoe or a sock..."

"No it's got to be something big," Josh said.

"You never said that," Jon said.

"It's okay," Allison said smiling at Jon. She undid the buttons on her shirt to reveal a camisole top. “See..."

"Yes, but she's not done yet," Josh chimed in. "She still has to get mine..."

"That's an easy one," Allison said loftily. "Joshua Gregory Weasley." her face turned red. "No! I meant Lawrence!"

"Lose the skirt!" Julie called out. "You had to get it right on the first try!"

Jon's face was nearly as red as his wife's as she hastily finished her wine. "Courage juice." Allison laughed weakly.

Everyone hooted and hollered, save for Jon, as Allison slipped out of her skirt.

"All right," Jon handed her a pillow which she placed over her lap.

"Okay," Allison said still blushing. "Chi? Truth or dare?"

"Truth," Chiaki answered promptly. "I'm in no shape for a dare."

"Okay," Allison said thoughtfully. "Who did you have your first ever crush on and why?"

Julie began to laugh. "I'll know if you're lying!"

"It was me of course," Toshio said smugly.

"No it wasn't," Julie sing-songed.

Toshio's smile fell. "You fancied someone else? You always told me I was your first!"

"You were my first boyfriend," Chiaki clarified for him. "But I did sort of fancy someone else when I was at school. It was very brief and I got over it pretty quickly...it was...Anthony Flint."

"He was in Slytherin!" Josh exclaimed. "And he had greasy hair!"

"It was early on okay?" Chiaki said defensively. "After third year I saw what a git he really was."

"You could be carrying his twins," Toshio said shaking his head.

"No way," Chiaki gave her husband a kiss. "You're the only one I had eyes for as soon as I saw you walk into the dance studio for the first time."

"Good save," he said putting his arm around her.

Chiaki grinned and looked at her group of friends. "I don't think Elizabeth has gone yet. Lizzy, truth or dare?"

"Hmmm..." Lizzy thought for a moment. "I'll go for truth."

"What annoys you the most about Josh?" Chiaki asked. "And you have to be brutally honest."

Lizzy blushed as her husband looked at her expectantly. "And we really can't change our minds?" she asked pleadingly.

"Nope," Chiaki replied. "But you can also tell us what you love most about him too."

"That part is easy," Lizzy said. "It's his sweet nature and his willingness to work hard."

Josh kissed his wife. "Thanks Lizzy."

"And...What’s the one thing he does that annoys the hell out of you?" Chiaki asked.

Lizzy bit her lower lip. "He never puts up the bloody toilet seat."

"I do so," Josh said defensively.

"No you don't," Lizzy said. "I always have to check because I've sat down on your... fluids... more times than I care to admit!"

"I hate when Nick does that too," Julie said her nose scrunching up in disgust. "Not to mention the fact that he has terrible aim."

"You women are entirely too peculiar," Nick snorted.

"Before this turns into a seminar on male bashing," Jon said. "Can we move on to the next person please?"

"Sure," Lizzy said, "Jules, you're the only one who hasn't gone yet."

"Dare," Julie said boldly. "Give me your best shot, Lizzy."

Lizzy grinned rather wickedly. "I want you and Nick to melt three ice cubes between the two of you, without using your hands." she had obviously been waiting to use that dare since they started the game.

"Oooh!" Julie grinned seductively at her husband. "We can do that!"

"I'm all for it Jules," Nick said licentiously. "Where's that ice?"

Allison made to stand up to get the ice from the icebox, but Jon quickly got up. "Perhaps I should do it love?"

"Sure..." Allison gave him a strange look. "If you want to."

"He doesn't want us to see you in your knickers," Josh said. He couldn't blame his brother. He wasn't so sure how crazy he'd be for them to get a gander at Lizzy starkers.

Allison rolled her eyes. "We're all adults here."

"Except for Jon," Lizzy teased. "And at the moment Julie and Nick."

"Getting practise are we?" Josh called out loudly to Julie and Nick, who were already engaged in a voracious game of tonsil hockey.

Nick and Julie ignored him. Jon came back into the room carrying a glass with three ice cubes. "Excuse me...um, hello? Jules? Nick?"

"Mmm," Julie said. "Let's cool down Nicholas..."

"Right," Nick said dazedly.

"Maybe this will help," Jon said holding out the glass.

Julie plucked out an ice cube and held it between her teeth.

"Those are really big ice cubes," Toshio observed. "I don't think they're going to be able to do it."

Chiaki snorted. "They already have that one half melted." she shook her head. "All right, on Julie's behalf I'm going to choose who goes next."

"Okay," Allison said. "Who's up next?"

"Jon again," Chiaki decided.

Jon looked at his sister-in-law. "Okay, Chi. Dare."

Chiaki smiled. "All right Jonathan. I want you to give my sister a lap dance."

Allison giggled.

"We'll even put some music on for you," Josh said nearly jumping out of his seat. "Boo-bear."

"I've got this one in the can," Jon bragged.

Josh quickly scanned through Allison and Jon's CD's until he came upon the one he was looking for. Within seconds, the opening notes of Marvin Gaye's 'Let's Get it On' filled the room. Allison moved the pillow off her lap and crooked her finger at her husband.

Jon grinned at her as he lazily pulled off his shirt. "Are you ready for this baby?" he asked, leaning in.

"The question is are we?" Josh called out.

Allison ignored him and focused her attention on Jon. "Come here..."

Jon straddled her lap and began to gyrate against her.

"He's got moves," Chiaki said laughing. "I didn't know this about him."

Allison grinned as Jon began to undo his jeans. "Take it all off," she hissed.

"I might need a little help," he said forgetting that they had an audience.

Allison reached out and tugged on his jeans. "And you're wearing my favourite boxers too..."

"I think I'm going to be sick," Josh said covering his eyes.

"Don't watch," Jon smirked.

"Okay," Josh said. "Come on Lizzy. Let's go and get some fresh air. It's nearly midnight."

"All right," Lizzy said. "We can go out back on the deck."

Josh grabbed their cloaks and together they walked out onto the deck. "I just wanted an excuse to be alone with you."

"I was hoping to be alone with you at midnight too," Lizzy said as he wrapped her cloak around her. "Thank you." she gave her husband a kiss.

"What are you thanking me for?" he asked putting his arms around her.

"Just for being you," Lizzy said. "I love you so much."

He smiled. "I love you too. I've been worried about you this past week. You've been so tired..."

"I have my reasons for that," Lizzy smiled as she buried her face in his shoulder. She didn't want to tell him her news until exactly midnight.

Josh laughed. "Okay. You sure you're not mad about finding out you weren't my first 'wife'? Paddington and I were very young...."

"Oh I'll have to try and get over that," Lizzy smiled. "Are you sure our marriage is binding and legal though? I wouldn't want to find out we've been living in sin ALL this time..."

"I'm sure," Josh said laughing. He and Lizzy looked out at the night sky and he wondered how much longer they had until midnight. As if hearing his thoughts, Lizzy whispered into his ear. "Two minutes."

Josh kissed her softly. "I say we take off right after midnight and head back home..."

"Sure," Lizzy ran her hands back through his hair. "I'm all for that..."

"So, Mrs. Weasley," he said looking down at her. "What do you have planned for the new year?"

Lizzy smiled. "I was thinking..." she began. "Of us adding onto our place, or moving."

"You want to get a new place?" he asked. She'd never said anything about that before. "I thought you liked our flat."

"I do," Lizzy glanced at her watch. "But I have a reason for wanting a bigger place."

"To put all our extra books?" Josh teased. "Or you probably just don't like sharing the study with me..."

Lizzy laughed. "Or it could have something to do with what I want you to start out the year knowing..."

Josh looked at his own watch. "Six...five...four...three..." he called out excitedly feeling very much like a little kid.

"Josh," Lizzy said with a laugh. "You're going to be a father."

"Two...one," Josh continued his little countdown. "Happy...what....what did you just say?"

"In six and a half months..." Lizzy placed his hands on her still flat stomach. "You're going to be a father and I'll be a mother."

"Me?" Josh asked in a daze. "You? Baby?"

Lizzy laughed again. "That's right Josh. I'm pregnant."

A huge smile broke out across his face as her words sunk in. He kissed her soundly before running back into the house where the other couples were celebrating the new year. Josh enveloped his brother in a bear hug. "HAPPY NEW YEAR, JON!"

"Happy New Year Josh," Jon said. "Mind if I put my trousers back on?"

"Sure," Josh said brightly letting go of his brother but still smiling goofily at him. "Go ahead, Uncle Jon!"

Jon gave his brother a strange look. "Did you sneak a shot or two of that Firewhisky? You're the uncle not me."

Josh shook his head and laughed. "Not anymore! You're going to be an uncle now too!"

Lizzy stood back grinning at her husband's enthusiasm and Allison suddenly realised what was going on here. "Jon, Lizzy's pregnant!"

"Hey!" Jon brightened. "Way to go Joshie!" he slapped his brother on the back in a congratulatory manner.

Julie engulfed him a big hug. "This is fantastic, Josh!"

"This is why you weren't drinking anything stronger than pumpkin juice," Allison said hugging Lizzy. "I can't believe I didn't pick up on it before!"

"I found out yesterday," Lizzy hugged her best friend back. "And I didn't tell anyone- I wanted Josh to know right at midnight."

"Finally catching up eh mate?" Nick shook Josh's hand and gave Lizzy a kiss on the cheek.

"Lizzy and I have always moved at our own pace," Josh said smiling proudly at his wife.

"Wait until you tell Mum and Dad," Jon said. "They're going to be so happy."

Chiaki grinned. "And my little twins here will have a playmate."

"That's right," Josh agreed. "I can't believe this!" he laughed and swept his wife into his arms. "I'm the happiest bloke in the world right now!"

"I think this calls for a toast," Nick said struggling to keep his toga on. "And then I'm getting dressed."

"No you don't," Julie said. "Not until I get your very shaggable arse home..." she followed her husband into the kitchen for more champagne.

"I'm glad you two came back," Chiaki teased Lizzy and Josh. "I was watching my baby sister do things that I didn't need or want to see..."

"We were just dancing Chi," Allison said sticking her tongue out at her sister.

"Dancing naked," Toshio replied. "Not something I want to see either."

"We weren't naked," Allison said defensively.

"Another couple of seconds and you would have been," Chiaki deadpanned. "Imagine if Dad had walked in on THAT."

"Who was the one who dared me to give her a lap dance?" Jon asked as Julie came back into the room, her lip gloss streaked across Nick's mouth and chin.

"If I had known it would turn into this, I don't think I would have asked you do to that," Chiaki joked. She caught sight of Julie and just shook her head. "And then you with my brother..."

"What?" Julie asked, tugging on Nick's makeshift toga.

"Whoa Jules," Nick set the champagne bottle down as the toga dipped precariously low. "I'm all for showing off but that might be a little more than everyone wants to see."

Julie winked at him. "But it's what I want to see..."

"Okay, how about that toast? Jon asked pouring everyone save for Chiaki and Lizzy a glass of champagne. The two pregnant women settled for glasses of pumpkin juice.

"Right," Josh grinned. "To..."

"You shouldn't do the toasting," Julie said elbowing him causing him to nearly drop his glass. "Sorry...but you're one of the people we're toasting, Josh."

"Right," Josh said sheepishly.

"To my OLDER brother," Jon said taking the lead. "And his lovely wife and their wonderful news!"

"Aye," Allison grinned. "Congratulations you two. We couldn't have started off the year with better news!"

"Here, here!" Julie exclaimed raising her glass. "And to Chi and Tosh and...togas!"

"Right Jules," Nick put an arm around his wife to steady her.

"And here's to lap dances!" Allison chimed in enthusiastically.

"And to the first Mrs. Weasley--Paddington," Jon said cheekily.

"Sod it all, I'll never live that down will I?" Josh shook his head but he was still grinning. "Cheerio!" he clinked his glass against Lizzy's.

"Happy New Year, Dad," Lizzy said smiling at him.

"You too Mum," Josh leaned in and kissed her.

*** *** ***

Saffron carried in two big bowls of popcorn. "Okay," she said, placing them on the coffee table. "Grandpa, that one's for you, it's only got a little butter and salt." she pointed to the bowl on the right.

"That tastes like cardboard," Robert complained. "Can't I have some of the other just this once?"

"No," Elinore had followed her granddaughter in with some juice. "Robert..."

"You know, I AM a doctor," Robert replied. "I know what I can and can't eat."

"Well you should know that you shouldn't eat any of that," Elinore said setting the juice down. "You already had pizza..."

"With that low-fat cheese," Robert muttered.

"Grandma," Saffron said. "How about I fix it up for him? I know how to make it so he'll enjoy it and it won't be all fatty and buttery."

"Okay," Elinore replied. "You've turned into quite the little chef, Saffy. You're the first girl in our family to cook in who knows how long..."

Saffron giggled. "It's something I learned from my dad. I'll be right back." she grabbed the bowl and ran into the kitchen.

"She reminds me so much of Hermione," Elinore chuckled.

"Except I'd leave her alone in the kitchen in a heartbeat," Robert smiled at his wife. "Ellie, sit down and relax. You've been on your feet all day."

"That's because my husband had me running around," Elinore said sitting down beside him.

"Well your husband wants you on this sofa, especially at the stroke of midnight," Robert took her hand and squeezed it.

"Okay Grandpa," Saffron said. "Try this and tell me what you think!"

Robert took the bowl from his granddaughter and grabbed a handful of the popcorn. Saffron waited with baited breath while her grandfather took a bite.

"This tastes just like the good stuff," Robert said grinning at her. "What did you do?"

Saffron laughed. "It's a dash of garlic salt, a smidge of dill powder and just a touch of curry powder. Dad's secret recipe."

Elinore took a taste as well. "That's really delicious Saffy."

"Thanks," Saffron sat back down. "What movie are we watching?"

"Not one of Robert's old war movies," Elinore said rolling her eyes. "If I have to sit through one of those again, I'll be asleep..."

"I got outvoted," Robert smiled at his granddaughter. "But I won't watch one of those sappy films your grandmother loves either."

"Lavender likes to watch those with me," Elinore said. "But I stopped by the video shop this afternoon and picked up two or three that I thought you might like Saffy. Go look in the bag over there by the television set. You can choose."

"Okay," Saffron retrieved the bag. "You got Love Actually and... The Truman Show. That looks pretty funny!"

"So what's the verdict, Miss Potter?" Robert called out taking another handful of popcorn.

"Truman Show," Saffron put the movie in. "I like comedies."

"We're really glad you wanted to spend the New Year with us Saffy," Elinore said as she sat back down on the sofa. ""Not too many teenagers want to spend the New Year with their old grandparents."

"It was either that, spend it with Ashley, Katie, Caroline and Emma playing beauty parlour, or go with my parents to that boring party thrown by the Ministry." Saffron said. "And I like spending time with you both."

"We love having you here," Robert said pulling on one of Saffy's plaits. "But I know there will come a time when you'll be too busy to spend time with us."

"Don't count on it," Saffron teased.

"And with your help hopefully I'll be back on the golf course come April," Robert said smiling at her.

"That's right," Saffron grinned. "And I keep telling you that I'm soooo not going easy on you either!" she sat back between her grandparents.

"The blokes at the club still haven't let me live down the fact that my granddaughter beats me on a regular basis," Robert said.

Saffron and Elinore both laughed. "So are you saying I should lose so you can save face Grandpa?"

"No," Robert said. "That's why we have your father there. I can always beat him...heart attack or no heart attack."

"That's true," Saffron replied. "You can play him first and then I'll beat the trousers off BOTH of you!"

"Or you and I could take on your mum and dad," Robert suggested.

"Robert," Elinore said laughing. "You'll never get Hermione on the golf course."

"She hates it," Saffron grabbed a handful of popcorn as the movie started. "Says it's boring and she'd rather sit with Lavender at a fashion show. And you know how much Mum hates fashion shows..."

"You could always get Seamus to join you," Elinore suggested. "He is a bit better than Harry..."

"Nah I'd rather have someone I know I can beat," Robert joked, winking at Saffron.

"Uncle Ron?" Saffron asked. "He'd probably do it."

"Think I can beat him?" Robert asked, helping himself to some juice.

"I don't think he's ever played," Saffron replied.

"Then I'll have to invite him out," Robert decided, sitting back.

"All right," Elinore said. "Enough about this golf nonsense."

"We tried to take him miniature golfing once and it wasn't a pretty sight," Saffron said laughing at the mere memory of it.

Robert laughed. "Probably had his eye on the snack bar the whole time aye?"

"You know him so well," Saffron said.

*** *** ***

Frankie barely remembered how long it took her and Will to get from his parents' house back to her flat, but once they were inside there was no holding them back from each other.

"It's been way, way too long," Will said helping her out of her cloak. "I've missed you so much Frankie."

"I've missed you too," she said, grabbing the articles from his hand and tossing them aside before pulling him against her, crushing her lips to his. Her tongue sought out his demandingly as his fingers ran greedily over her curvaceous body.

He braced his hands on the wall beside her head and let his hips push more deeply into hers. They still fit so well together, always had.

"Let's go in the other room," she said as his lips attacked her neck. Her body was already on fire for him and she could hardly wait for Will to completely take her in as he always did.

Will kept his lips on hers as he walked her backwards toward the bedroom.

Frankie fumbled with the doorknob, pulling him in by his shirt.

Will laughed as Frankie took charge, starting to undo the buttons on his shirt. "In a hurry, aren't we?"

"Can you blame me?" she asked, giving him a sultry pout.

"No," he said shaking his head. "And as much as I love this dress..."

Frankie smiled and raised her arms so he could take it off her.

Will took his time as he lifted the dress up. He knew it would drive her crazy.

Frankie bit down on her lower lip as his fingers skimmed her skin, drawing the garment up over her head. "Hurry up," she said through clenched teeth.

"As you wish Francesca," Will said tossing the dress to the floor.

She reached up behind her head and pulled out the pins she'd used to keep her hair up off her neck. "Come here," she said huskily, backing up towards her bed.

Will did as he was told giving her a long, lingering kiss. He couldn't believe he'd thought it was possible to be without her.

She pulled him onto the bed as she tugged down on his trousers. "You're a little overdressed Mr. Barron," Frankie teased.

Will slid them off as quickly as he could along with his boxer shorts.

Frankie cupped his face with her hands as he settled down next to her. "I love you Will," she whispered. "I am so in love with you. And this is the best night of my life."

He knew that she meant in just from the way she was looking at him. There was no hesitation in her voice and she didn't look away.

"I'm going to make you so happy, Frankie," he said softly. "So very, very happy."

"You already have," Frankie replied. "But if you kiss me I'll be the happiest girl alive." she laughed.

Will pressed his lips to hers savouring the feel and taste of her. "Frankie?" he asked when they pulled apart. "Guess what?"

"What?" she asked, curling her hand around his nape to keep him close.

"We're getting married," he replied with a grin.

She laughed. "Yes we are," she agreed.

Will kissed her again. "Married....married...married."

Frankie looked up at him, suddenly serious. "Can I tell you something?"

"What?" Will asked pushing a strand of hair behind her ear.

"I want to tell you the real reason why I said no the first time," Frankie replied.

Will positioned himself on his side. "Okay."

"I was scared," Frankie began. "Which you already know... but I was just scared that if I really admitted to myself that I was in love with you, and agreed to marry you... that someday you'd get sick of me and leave. And I'd be the one with a broken heart." she looked down at her sheets, not wanting to face him.

"Frankie," he said tilting her chin up so she'd face him. "I'm never going to get sick of you. I love you so much, sweetheart. I always have."

"I know that now," Frankie said with a small smile. "But I just wanted you to know why I turned you down... that it was me and not you."

"I wish you would have told me sooner," he said. "It could have saved us both a lot of heartache, Frankie."

"I know," Frankie let her hair fall over her eyes so he didn't have to see her embarrassment. "I almost lost the best thing in my life."

Will brushed her hair away. "It doesn't matter now. I'm here and I'm not going anywhere ever. You're stuck with me, Frankie."

This time a full smile tugged out the corners of her mouth. She rubbed her thumb over his lips. "And I couldn't be happier about that."

"Me too," Will said leaning down and kissing her. "I love you."

"I love you too," Frankie kissed him back. "Hey it's almost midnight..."

"Aye," Will said looking at the alarm clock on Frankie's nightstand. "One minute..."

"I know what I'd like to be doing during that one minute," Frankie's tone turned lustful.

"Hmm," Will said thoughtfully. "Would it involve something like....this?"

Frankie's squeal was muffled by his lips as he pushed inside of her. "You don't waste any time Barron," she said, arching her back.

"We've wasted far too much time already," Will said in between kisses.

"That we have," Frankie said, her breath already coming in shorter pants. "Oh..." her eyes nearly rolled in back of her head as the heat between them grew.

"Frankie," he said, his voice hoarse as she arched into him and pulled him in deeper.

"You... feel..." Frankie clenched her teeth together. "So... amazing… inside me Will..."

Will could say the very same about her, but at the moment words seemed to fail him.

The clock hit midnight at the exact same time Frankie cried her release, clutching onto the man currently lying on top of her and she kissed him rather urgently.

"What was that for?" he asked breathlessly.

"Happy New Year," Frankie whispered.

“Happy New Year,” Will returned.

49. Chapter 49

Authors' note: Thank you to all of you who have read and reviewed. We appreciate that! In this chapter, you get more of Frankie and Will and their engagement, Ethan and Maddie moving in together and you get to see something some of you have been wondering about for quite a few chapters. We didn't get a chance to do review replies this time, but we appreciate them just the same.

Frankie couldn't remember the last time she'd slept so well. She awoke with a smile on her face and Will's arm on her waist. It was tempting to wake him up for a repeat of last night's performance, but she decided to let him sleep. After all that had happened, she thought he deserved a little treat.

She slipped carefully out of bed and into her silken robe that she'd tossed over a chair the previous morning when she'd gotten up.

Heading into her kitchen, she rummaged in her icebox and came out with some strawberries and some whip cream as well as a bottle of champagne she'd been saving for a special occasion.

This certainly qualified as a special occasion, she thought humming a happy tune as she set everything out on a tray. She carried the tray back in the bedroom and allowed herself a few moments to just look at Will, sleeping soundly in her bed.

Setting the tray on her bedside table, she crawled up and pressed her lips to his bare stomach. "Wakey, wakey," Frankie chanted in a soft sing song voice as she trailed her mouth over his chest.

"Two more minutes," he mumbled sleepily.

"Of this?" Frankie asked, kissing his neck.

A lazy smile spread across Will's handsome features as he remembered where he was and who he was with. For a few moments there, he'd thought it was all a dream.

"Francesca," he said his voice scratchy with sleep.

"Yes?" Frankie paused on top of him, propping herself up with her arms.

"This is real?" he asked opening up his eyes and looking properly at her. His gaze fell on the diamond ring on her finger. "And that's really the ring I gave you last night, isn't it? And we're...we're back together?"

"It's all real," Frankie pushed his hair out of his eyes. "We are SO back together Will."

Will smiled and lifted his head off the pillow to kiss her. "What time is it?" he asked softly.

"After eleven," Frankie answered, sliding off to his side.

Will laughed. "Good thing we don't have to work today, eh?"

"Very good thing," Frankie buried her face in his chest. "Will I'm so happy this morning. I feel like so many things have fallen into place now."

Will hugged her close. "They have, Frankie. This was the way things were always meant to be."

She pressed her lips to his shoulder and then pulled back. "I know we're going to brunch--" she paused a moment. "You're coming with me to the brunch at my parents' house right?"

"Of course," Will replied. "We have to tell them the good news, especially the two princesses."

"Good," Frankie smiled and kissed him again. "As I was saying... um... I have a little... breakfast snack."

"I know," Will said nibbling at her neck. "My favourite..."

"Not me," Frankie giggled. "Well maybe me... as well as some strawberries... and some champagne..." her eyes closed as he continued to kiss her neck.

"What time do we have to be at your parents?" Will whispered against her neck.

"One," Frankie replied. "That gives us two hours..."

"Whatever will we do?" Will asked grinning at her.

"What do you think Barron?" Frankie asked, laughing. "Feed me."

Will laughed and sat up in bed reaching over for one of the strawberries dipping it in the bowl of whipped cream. "Here you are Frankie Barron...."

Normally him saying something like that would make Frankie run for cover but now it sent a thrill through her entire body. "I actually like the sound of that," she said, wrapping her arms around him as she bit into the strawberry.

"It does have a nice ring to it, doesn't it?" Will asked, grabbing a strawberry for himself.

"Mmmhmm..." Frankie took it away. "I get to feed you this morning Will."

"Do you now?" Will asked with a laugh. "What did I do to deserve all this?"

Frankie smiled at him. "You're you," she said, tracing a pattern on his chest with her fingers. "And you love me enough to take me back even though I almost ruined things between us completely."

"I was just hoping you'd finally come around," Will said looking at her. "I won't lie to you, Frankie...what happened at Christmas, it really, really hurt me."

"I know," Frankie looked away from him. "I really am sorry--"

Will touched her arm. "I know, Frankie. I love you and last night, we started over. No more looking back, right?"

"Right," Frankie nodded. "I'm a one man woman now." she grinned.

"You'd better be," he teased.

"A one man woman and I find that I'm loving every moment of it," Frankie kissed her fiancé.

Will kissed her back his arms snaking around her waist.

"What say we take the champagne..." Frankie kissed him again. "Into the shower with us?"

"I think that sounds like a brilliant idea," Will said thoughtfully.

Frankie laughed as he scooped her up. "Such a gentleman," she grabbed the bottle and then wrapped her arms around his neck.

It was nearly an hour later before they got out of the shower and nearly an hour after that before they left Frankie's flat. She knew her whole family would already be at brunch and she'd wanted to surprise them.

"Wait out here," Frankie said as she and Will made their way up the front steps. "I want to surprise them..."

"Are you sure?" Will asked.

Frankie laughed. "I'm positive." she kissed him hard.

"Okay," he said when the pulled apart. "But don't keep me waiting too long...something in there smells delicious..."

"I promise," Frankie said as she squeezed his hand and then let herself in the front door.

"Hey!" Allison had been passing through the hall and saw her sister. "Frankie how was your New Year's?"

Frankie shrugged her shoulders and frowned. "You know...same old, same old..."

"Auntie Frankie!" Caroline said running into the room. "Grandpa made French toast!"

"I could smell it from outside!" Frankie scooped the little girl into her arms.

Allison was staring at her. "But Frankie... I thought... we all thought you... you and Will?"

Frankie tweaked Caroline's nose with her left hand and Caroline laughed. "Oooooh....that's pretty! Look Mummy, Auntie Frankie has a new ring!"

"Oh it's just something I picked up this morning while I was out," Frankie stuffed her hands into her pockets.

"You---you went shopping?" Allison asked. "But I thought..."

"Let's go and eat," Frankie interjected. "I am starving! Aren't you, Caroline?"

"Especially for French toast!" Caroline nodded eagerly.

Frankie hid a smile as Allison led the way into the dining room. Everyone was talking animatedly. Her father was listening to some joke of Jon's and Emma was sitting in her high chair nibbling on some cereal.

"Frankie!" Cho said warmly. "We'd almost given up on you, sweetheart!"

"Sorry I overslept and then I got sidetracked in town," Frankie hugged her mother. "Happy New Year everyone."

"Happy New Year love," Cho said. "Did you go and see Will last night?"

"No," Frankie shook her head. "I'm starving!" she bit her lower lip to keep from laughing aloud.

"Sit down Frankie," Neville said handing her a plate of French toast. "I made your favourite."

"Great Dad," Frankie smiled.

"Da?" Emma asked holding up a piece of her cereal. "Eat...."

Jon laughed. "No, sweetheart. That's yours...."

"Eat!" Emma held the cereal out to him.

"Frankie tell us more about your night," Chiaki said.

Frankie poured herself a glass of juice. "You know, I went to that club...Jon, I think Em really wants you to have that cereal..."

"Thank you baby," Jon let his daughter feed him the piece of cereal. "What else did you do?" he asked Frankie.

Frankie shrugged. "I got engaged. Can someone pass the syrup?"

"WHAT?" everyone cried at once.

"I asked if someone would pass the syrup," Frankie repeated nonchalantly.

Allison glared at her sister. "Francesca..."

Caroline pointed behind her aunt. "Will!"

"Princess!" Will exclaimed when Caroline launched herself at him.

"Everyone," Frankie grinned and stood up. "This is my fiancé, Will Barron!"

"Yay!" Caroline said hugging Will around the neck. "You can be my uncle now!"

"I can't wait," Will gave Caroline a squeeze. "I'll have a princess for a niece!"

"When did all of this happen?" Chiaki asked at the same time that Allison asked, "Why didn't you tell us when you walked in?"

"Fooled you all," Frankie laughed. "And it happened last night around half past eleven."

Will set Caroline down so he could accept a congratulatory handshake from Neville.

"Welcome to the family," Neville said smiling at the young man.

"Did you ever get this treatment?" Jon asked Toshio.

"No way," Toshio shook his head.

"Will's going to be the favourite," Frankie said smugly.

"Sod off," Allison said then grinned and hugged her sister. "Congratulations Frankie. I'm really happy for you."

"Thanks Allie," Frankie said hugging her back. "I'm happy for me too."

"You're still so modest," Chiaki joined her sisters.

"Always," Frankie said with a grin. "You do realise you're both going to be my bridesmaids."

"Of course," Allison said. "As if we'd have it any other way!"

"And I wonder if a certain princess would like to be a flower girl?" Frankie asked winking at her niece.

"Really?" Caroline brightened.

"That probably depends on when you have the wedding," Allison deadpanned. "She might be in her teens by then if Frankie does everything the way she always does."

"No, she won't," Will said before Frankie could make a smart remark. "She's sworn to me that there's no backing out of it. I'm going to hold her to it."

"That's right," Frankie said with a smile. "I'm wearing the ring and I love this guy more than anything. I'm going to marry him come hell or high water."

"It's about time," Neville said hugging Frankie. "I'm so happy for you love."

"Thanks Dad," Frankie said with a smile. "Bet you're happy I've finally grown up aye?"

"Aye," Neville said. "But you'll always be my baby girl."

"That's okay with me," Frankie hugged her father again.

"We have so much to be thankful for," Cho said wiping a tear from her face. "Chiaki and Toshio are going to welcome their twins this year. Frankie's getting married. And Allie's here to share it with all of us. This is going to be a very good year for all of us. I can feel it."

"I agree," Jon said. He raised his glass.

"To the Longbottoms," Will said raising his glass as well. "Thank you for welcoming me into your family."

"We're glad to have you Will," Neville smiled. "And to my daughters, for picking three blokes that make them the happiest they've ever been."

"Where were you about ten years ago?" Jon joked.

Allison kicked his leg. "And to Mum and Dad, for hosting a fantastic brunch even though we all know they were out partying until the wee hours of the morning."

"I don't even want to know what you lot were doing," Neville said. "I'm just glad my two granddaughters didn't get to see it."

Allison, Jon, Toshio and Chiaki all looked at each other and began to laugh.

"Enough said," Neville said looking at Cho.

"Let's eat," Cho replied. "Before all this food goes cold."

"After this do you want to go watch The Little Mermaid?" Caroline asked Will. She'd taken the seat right next to him and was hanging onto his every word.

"I would love to watch that with you," Will said grinning at the little girl.

Frankie watched how he seemed to fit in with everyone like he'd always been a member of the family.

"And Daddy said he would play beauty shop with me later," Caroline bubbled eagerly. "Right Daddy?"

Jon nearly choked on his juice. "I-I don't remember saying anything about that, Caroline. I think that was Grandpa..."

Emma reached into her bowl and pulled out some more cereal. "Da…eat?"

"Emma eat," Jon turned his attention to his baby daughter.

Emma shook her head. "Nooo....Da...eat."

"Emma eat," Jon took a piece of cereal and put it in her mouth. "Da eats French toast. Emma eats cereal."

Emma looked thoughtfully at him. "Oh..."

"There we go baby," Jon grinned. "Emma eat. Good girl!"

Frankie laughed and made a goofy face at her niece. She didn't notice Will watching her.

"She recognises you," Allison said to Frankie. "Ever since you stayed the weekend when Emma sees your picture she points to it."

"I bet she thinks there's the woman who took fifteen minutes to change my dirty nappy," Frankie said, but was secretly pleased to hear it.

"She was great with the girls that weekend," Will said. "We both had a good time."

"You two are more than welcome to baby sit anytime," Jon said.

"Especially if it means you have a weekend away with your wife right Jon?" Frankie teased, digging into her French toast.

"You know me too well Frankie," Jon said smiling across the table at her. "And when you and Will have your own sprogs, Allie and I will return the favour."

"That's not going to be happening until we're married." Frankie replied.

"And Frankie wants to have the wedding of her dreams first," Will squeezed his fiancée’s hand.

"Right," Frankie said smiling at him. "Right."

Neville groaned jokingly. "Cho we're going to have to take on extra jobs to pay for this wedding."

"It will be worth it," Cho told him. "And Frankie better not go changing her mind."

"I'm NOT going to change my mind," Frankie informed them.

"And neither will I," Will said putting his arm around her. "We're stuck with each other for the long haul."

"I've never seen her look so happy," Allison whispered to Chiaki.

"Not since Mum and Dad told her she could date," Chiaki whispered back and both sisters giggled.

"And date she did," Allison said once they'd calmed down. "I'm glad she found a nice guy though. I was worried that she'd wind up with some loser."

"Will is lovely," Chiaki agreed. "And I think he'll keep Frankie grounded."

"I'm just glad too that she finally fell in love, or admitted she did." Allison whispered. "Now she knows why we settled down so young."

Chiaki patted her stomach. "And see how much it has given us."

"Tell me about it," Allison looked fondly at her own two daughters. "God, I wouldn't give this up for anything."

"All in all I think we Longbottom girls turned out quite nicely," Chiaki said smiling at her sister.

"Aye, I definitely agree," Allison said as Chiaki began to rub her stomach. "Are they kicking you again?"

"The better question might be when aren't they kicking me," Chiaki said with a laugh. "I'm not so sure they liked me eating all those crisps last night at the party."

"Or maybe they didn't like the truth or dare game," Allison laughed, remembering her husband's dance moves.

Chiaki groaned. "Allie, don't bring that up again. I'm still trying to block those images out of my head."

"You dared him," Allison sat back, satisfied.

Jon who had heard bits and pieces of this conversation picked Emma up out of her high chair and as he bent over purposely wiggled his arse in their direction.

Allison began to laugh so hard she choked on a piece of her French toast.

"You okay Mummy?" Caroline asked.

"F-fine," Allison managed to get out.

"Come on Em," Jon said. "Let's go get you cleaned up."

Frankie shook her head as he left the room. "He's such a prat Allie."

"He's MY prat," Allison said with a grin.

"Thank goodness for that," Frankie said, resting against Will's shoulder as she nibbled at a piece of bacon. "Great eats Dad. Thanks."

"You're quite welcome sweetheart," Neville said smiling at her.

"Frankie, you'll let me know when you set a date right? So we can get started on your robes, or if you want to wear a dress..." Cho began.

"Here we go again," Neville said shaking his head.

"Neville Longbottom, this is your daughter's wedding," Cho said sternly.

"Whatever you say dear," Neville said using the one phrase he'd come to rely on over the years. "Allie, how about you help me clean up?"

"Sure," Allison said getting to her feet.

"We'll help too," Will said, gathering some of the plates from the table.

"You sit with Frankie," Neville said. "You're our guests."

"Come on Will," Frankie pulled on his arm. "Let's go sit with Caroline in the other room."

"Yes but..." Will said still wanting to make a good impression on Frankie's father.

Caroline took matters in her own hands. "It's okay, Will. We already like you. You don't have to do anything else."

Toshio snorted. "You've got it easy mate. Jon and I had to jump through hoops." he grinned to show he was joking.

'"Yes well you had it much easier than poor Jon," Chiaki said to her husband. "But let's not tell Will all that now. It'll scare him off from Dad."

"As if Frankie here isn't scary enough when she's mad?" Will joked.

"You want to talk scary, you should see this one here when he's not had enough sleep," Frankie said poking him in the side.

"You mean like last night?" Will said under his breath.

Frankie blushed. "Come on, Barron. We better get out of here while you're ahead. Let's go watch that movie."

"Yes dear," Will grinned.

"See you've got it already," Toshio laughed. "That's all you have to say to please the women."

"Maybe I should start taking notes?" Will asked thoughtfully.

"You are doing just fine the way you are," Frankie said, resting her hand on his chest. "Just... fine." she gave him a kiss.

Will smiled and hugged her close. "We both are, Frankie."

*** *** ***

Harry dropped a box just inside the door of his son's flat. "Why does this remind me of when we first moved in together?" he asked his wife.

"All we're missing is Lavender sitting around painting her nails," Hermione joked.

"Perish the thought," Harry laughed. "And we're missing me trying to snog you around every corner while your parents walk in on us..."

"That's probably what Maddie and Ethan will be doing," Hermione said.

They both laughed. "If this wasn't our son's home..." Harry said, winding his arms around her waist.

Saffron cleared her throat behind her parents. "Do you two ever stop?"

"No," Harry said. "Do you always sneak up on people?"

"I was standing there for about two minutes Dad," Saffron said rolling her eyes. "I didn't sneak up on you. YOU simply didn't notice I was there. Big, big difference."

"All right," Ethan said hastily, dropping another box next to the one his father had put down. "Can we actually... I don't know... move Maddie in?"

"You're still going to come round, right?" Saffron asked as Ethan opened the door for them all. "I know you're going to be at work and with Maddie, but you'll still show up every now and then..."

"I promise to come around," Ethan said. "For the seventy seventh time."

"I'll make him," Maddie promised Saffron. "And you can sleep over when you're home for the summer hols."

"That'll be fun!" Saffron said excitedly. "We can stay up late and watch movies and all that girl stuff!"

Ethan groaned. "I think I'll hang out with Justin that night."

"Fine we don't need you," Saffron replied.

Maddie picked up a box and lugged it into the flat. She wished her parents would have come along, but her father was stuck at the shop with inventory and her mother was interviewing someone.

"And it's not as if we've seen you much since you've been home Saffy," Ethan told his little sister. "You've been at Gran's..."

"I've been helping out!" Saffron argued. "There's a difference between helping out and snogging the night away."

"Who's been snogging the night away?" Ethan asked innocently. "Mum and Dad, were you at it again?"

"Always," Harry said unabashedly. "Good thing neither of you were around on New Year's Eve."

"R.J. said Mum and Dad didn't come home until seven the next morning," Maddie said.

"We had a good time that's all," Hermione said. "Harry let's get these into the sitting room." she indicated the stack of boxes next to them.

"Right," Harry said picking up a couple of boxes and following his wife.

Saffron picked up another box that was labelled 'photographs and mementos'. "Hey Maddie? Where do you want these?"

"Um..." Maddie looked inside it. "I want some of those in the sitting room and some in the bedroom."

Saffron smiled as she picked up a framed photograph of Maddie as a child with Dolly. "I still think it was so cool that you had a pixie."

Maddie laughed. "Dolly's quite infamous in this family."

"I wish I could have met her," Saffron said handing Maddie the frame.

"She was quite the character," Maddie said wistfully. "But you know- as mad as she was, she was always good with me. It was as if she knew I was her mistress and I took care of her."

"She was pretty cool," Ethan said with a grin. "And she did love you."

"I loved her," Maddie said, placing the photo on the hall table. "She was my best friend, since someone else didn't like playing with me." she grinned at Ethan.

"Well maybe that was because you kept insisting that you and I were going to get married and that Dolly would be our baby," Ethan said grinning back at her. "Did you ever think of that?"

Saffron laughed. "So you knew even back then you would marry Ethan someday?" she asked Maddie.

Maddie nodded. "But I didn't know what it all meant back then. "

"You had a vision when you were that young?" Saffron asked curiously.

"I had quite a few actually," Maddie admitted. "I didn't know what to make of them though. I thought they were just dreams."

"And you made Ethan run away," Saffron laughed at her brother. "I always thought he was a chicken."

"Very funny Saf," Ethan said mussing her hair.

"Don't muss my plaits," Saffron ducked away.

"Pardon me Saffy," Ethan said. "Let's see that metal smile one more time before you get them off."

"Sod off," Saffron returned as she left the bedroom.

"Finally," Ethan grinned at Maddie. "I thought she'd never leave us in peace."

"She's been really great to help us out," Maddie said. "You should be nicer to her."

"Saffy knows I love her," Ethan replied. "But does my girlfriend?"

Maddie stepped closer. "I don't know. Maybe your girlfriend likes to hear it every now and then."

"This guy really, really loves his girlfriend," Ethan pulled her to him. "Her and her long gone pixie."

Maddie smiled. "Dolly was always sweet on you..."

"As is her owner," Ethan said, his lips nearing hers.

Maddie pressed her lips to his. She'd wanted to do this all day but they'd been so preoccupied with loading up boxes and getting everything sorted there hadn't been time.

Ethan pulled out the sticks she'd used to twist her hair up and the strands spilled down her back. He ran his hands through them as he deepened the kiss.

They fell onto the bed and Maddie giggled as Ethan planted kisses down her neck. "That tickles..."

"We're going to be able to do this every day," Ethan laughed, still kissing her.

"It will certainly be a test of our willpower," Maddie said softly.

"I think we'll be all right," Ethan pushed a few strands of hair out of her face. "We both know where we stand on the issue. And it's important to us that we stay the way we are until we get married."

Maddie touched his cheek. "Have I told you lately how absolutely incredible you are?"

"Probably, but I always like hearing it," he grinned.

“You,” Maddie kissed him again. “Are absolutely… undeniably… adorably… incredible.” She punctuated all of her words with a kiss. “And I can’t believe how lucky I am.”

“I’m one to talk,” Ethan said. “I’m lucky you still wanted anything to do with me by the time I finally wised up.”

She smiled at him and rolled herself up so that her hair fell over both of them like a silky blonde curtain. They kissed again and Ethan’s hands wandered up the back of her shirt, running over her skin. “Mmm Ethan,” she murmured, her lips still glued to his.

Her skin was soft under his fingers and as always he wanted to feel as much of her as possible. He trailed his hand around, touching and caressing.

“”Mads,” Ethan groaned as she started her own way down his chest, her nails raking lightly over his skin. “You see what you do to me?” he asked huskily.

“Mmmhmm…” she answered lazily as he kissed her again, plundering her mouth and tasting her over and over.

"No, don't worry Uncle Harry," Frankie said looking over her shoulder whilst opening up Ethan's bedroom door. "I've got it...thanks though..."

She smiled as she saw her two friends kissing on Ethan's bed. "Don't mind me..."

Ethan pulled away with a surprised shout. "Gee we wouldn't normally--" he began sarcastically. "Shite Frankie, ever hear of knocking?"

Frankie set her bag down on the floor beside Ethan's bed and pulled out some paint cards. "I did knock," she said absently going quickly through the cards. "Your dad let me in..."

"Not in my bedroom," Ethan said as Maddie turned red and began to hastily try and pull her long hair back up.

Frankie shrugged and held out a pale yellow colour against Ethan's royal blue wall. "I can't believe you actually sleep in here. It's so dreary and it doesn't begin to reflect your personality or Maddie's either for that matter."

"It's never bothered me before," Ethan muttered.

"It's okay Ethan," Maddie said as she pushed the chopsticks back into her large knot of hair.

"Well this isn't just your place anymore, Ethan," Frankie said sitting down in between the couple on the bed. "It's yours and Maddie's. And Maddie isn't a royal blue or a poo brown kind of a girl. Are you, Maddie?"

"The royal blue doesn't bother me so much," Maddie straightened out her shirt and then clasped Ethan's hand in hers. "But no, not a brown type of girl at all."

"If you're so attached to the blue," Frankie said thoughtfully looking up at the ceiling. "Perhaps we could work with that. Maybe enchant the ceiling with golden stars or something?"

"That sounds just lovely," Maddie replied.

"Where's this Will bloke you got engaged to?" Ethan interrupted. "It's been the talk of the family for the last few days and we haven't even gotten to meet him yet."

"He's working," Frankie replied, a dreamy expression coming over her face as she thought about him. "But the four of us should do something one night, don't you think?"

"I definitely think so," Maddie grinned at her. "We can go dancing at that new club soon- once things settle down after I'm all moved in here!"

"Definitely," Frankie said. "And there was something I wanted to ask you Maddie. I know you and I have just started to get close, but I'd really like it if you'd be a bridesmaid for me."

"Are you kidding?" Maddie grinned brightly. "I'd love to Frankie!"

Frankie hugged her. "Great. Will and I haven't set a date yet..."

Ethan shook his head as he left the two women to talk amongst themselves. He headed back into the sitting room and started lugging another few boxes in there.

"There he is," Harry teased his son. "Thought you were going to leave us to do all the unpacking."

"Got a little sidetracked," Ethan said with a grin. "Won't happen again... for an hour at least."

Hermione laughed and she helped Saffron clear some space on the bookshelf for some of Maddie's books.

"Ethan James Potter!" Saffron exclaimed putting her hands on her hips and glaring at her brother. "You had this the entire time and you didn't tell me?"

"What?" Ethan asked.

Saffron pulled out a large book. "Quidditch Through the Ages. You know Dad said I could have this!"

"Well then take it," Ethan shrugged. "I have a few copies of it around here somewhere."

"Really?" Saffron asked hugging the book to her chest. She loved this book not just because of what it was about but because it was a present her mother had given her father during their first year together.

"Take it," Ethan chuckled, tugging on her plaits.

Saffron beamed at him. "Thanks Ethan."

"There's so much stuff I have to put in storage." Ethan mused, going through some of Maddie's things.

"Moving in involves compromise," Hermione said sagely. "I remember when your father and I moved in together and he had this hideous chair...."

Harry turned a snicker into a cough.

Hermione looked at him. "You're not going to try and defend that ugly chair are you? It really looked much better in the attic, Harry."

"Sure dear," Harry winked at Ethan. He was the only one who knew aside from Seamus and Robert the fate of that chair.

"So you'll have to make some concessions as will Maddie," Hermione said not noticing the amused look on Ethan's face. "But in the end it will all be worth because at the end of the day, you'll have each other."

"Right you are Mum," Ethan said.

"I'm trying to remember if there was anything you gave up when you moved in with me," Harry said looking at his wife. "As I recall, you had your say in just about everything and I think you got your way too..."

Hermione smiled. "I have my ways."

"Ew gross," Saffron said pulling out a couple more books and finding one of Ethan's old smelly socks. "Ethan....eww, eww, eww."

"Hey I've been looking for those." Ethan grabbed them.

"How long have they been back here," Saffron said holding her nose. "Since you moved in?"

"Probably," Ethan grinned and threw them at her. "Flash that metal Saffy!"

Saffron squealed. "Ethan! You are so lucky I'm not allowed to do magic outside of school...."

"The big bad Auror is really afraid of the little girl with braces," Ethan threw the other sock at her.

Saffron dodged out of the way just in time and the dirty sock missed her entirely and landed on the sofa.

"You don't need magic," Saffron said. "You could just throw those socks at the bad guys..."

"Very funny Saffron Grace," Ethan leapt after her and began tickling her sides.

"E-Ethan," Saffron said hiccupping. "Stop it!"

"No way," Ethan grinned, laughing. "It's too much fun to torture you!"

"Dad!" Saffron called out looking helplessly at him. "Make him s-stop!'

"Ouch!" Ethan shielded his eyes. "That metal caught the sun and blinded me!"

"Gerroff me!" Saffron said hitting him in the chest. "You're so immature.."

Ethan was still laughing as he let his sister off the sofa. "Says the fourteen year old..."

"I'm so m-much more mature than you," Saffron said with a hiccup.

"Are not!" Ethan shot back.

"You two sound like me and Allie," Frankie came into the room with Maddie.

"Do not!" Saffron retorted gleefully.

Ethan shook his head. "Mads where do you want this stuff?" he asked, kicking the box next to the coffee table.

"I was thinking I'd put those in the bedroom," Maddie replied.

"We're going to have a wall of photos in there," Ethan said, hoisting it up and carrying it out.

"Some of those are ones R.J. took," Maddie said. "Not of the family, but just photos he took."

"Of what?" Saffron asked curiously. "He's always taking photographs at school- of the lake, Hagrid's hut, of the Great Hall..."

"There some really beautiful landscapes in there," Maddie said proudly. "He's really got such a great eye."

"Yeah he is pretty good." Saffron said. "He asked me if I wanted to pose for some shots for him sometime. I told him I would once I got these stupid things off." she indicated her braces.

"What sort of poses?" Harry asked immediately.

Saffron rolled her eyes. "Nothing like that, Dad. Honestly! Just normal pictures."

"Better be," Harry said.

"Harry James Potter," Hermione admonished. "This is Ron's son you're talking about. He knows that our Saffy's a beautiful girl and he wants to photograph her that's all."

"I don't think of R.J. like that Dad," Saffron said. "He's more like a big brother."

"I have it on good authority that he thinks you're pretty cool," Maddie smiled at Saffron. "He's always talking about how much fun you both have in Hogsmeade."

Saffron grinned. "He's so funny. And he listens to when Snape gets all snarky..."

"Which is probably every day," Harry said dryly.

"Pretty much," Saffron admitted.

"Enough talk about Snape," Ethan said, coming in with another three boxes. "This is all you brought for today right Mads?"

Maddie nodded. "I don't really have much more...this was just the major stuff..."

"Okay," Ethan sat down next to her on the sofa. "I have a feeling we're going to need to figure out exactly what we need and put the rest in storage somewhere."

"You can use one of the spare bedrooms at our house," Hermione said. "We have all the extra space there- and by the time we move out you'll probably have a house of your own and won't need storage space anymore."

"We're moving?" Saffron asked.

"Not anytime soon sweetheart," Hermione said. "But when I retire from the Ministry- which won't be for quite some time yet- we'll have to move."

"But---but it's the only home I've ever lived in," Saffron protested.

"I felt the same way when we moved out of the cottage," Ethan said to his sister.

"I'm surprised you remember the cottage," Harry said. "You were only five when we moved to the place we're in now."

"I have a good memory," Ethan said smiling. "That and Julie waxing poetic about it all the time."

"Right," Harry laughed. "Jules hated the mansion when we first moved in. Said it was haunted and refused to go anywhere alone."

"Really?" Maddie asked. "I can't remember your place looking anything other than nice and cosy."

"Jules was full of it," Ethan put an arm around her. "She just didn't like moving is all."

"It was pretty cold and dreary when we first moved in," Hermione admitted. "I wasn't too crazy about it either, but we redecorated and made it our own."

"Just like we're going to do with this place," Frankie said. "Ugh I cannot STAND these walls a minute longer!"

Ethan watched in horror as Frankie pulled out her wand and pointed it at his walls. In an instant, the dark brown walls were a creamy taupe colour.

"Don't get to used to it," Frankie said surveying her handiwork. "This is just temporary. I just couldn't take looking at that awful colour one second longer."

"But..." Ethan protested.

"I like this," Maddie said. "It's brighter and it's still brown," she grinned at her boyfriend.

"It's so much better," Saffron said smiling at Frankie.

"Thank you," Frankie said. "See Ethan, you can still have your brown, it just doesn't have to make your flat look like it just fell from someone's arse."

"You always have had such a way with words," Ethan said dryly.

"Yes I know," Frankie replied smugly.

"Very nice job Francesca," Harry said giving his goddaughter a hug.

"Thanks Uncle Harry," Frankie beamed. "Ooh, I didn't realise it was getting so late. I have to meet Will for dinner!"

"You bring that bloke by so I can meet him," Harry told her. "Make sure he's good enough for you."

"He is Uncle Harry," Frankie said, picking up her bag. "I wouldn't have gotten engaged to him otherwise. You know how I am." she grinned.

"Yes we do and somehow we still love you for it," Ethan said giving her a hug.

"That's right Ethan," Frankie pecked his cheek. "Flattery will get you everywhere."

Maddie saw her out. "I really am so happy for you Frankie."

"Thanks Maddie," Frankie replied, pulling on her cloak. "I always thought getting married would be a fate worse than death." she smiled. "I'm so glad I was wrong. I can't imagine being happier than this."

"I know the feeling," Maddie said looking back to see Ethan laughing with his family.

"And what's this?" Frankie asked, lifting Maddie's right hand. "You didn't have this on when I saw you guys last week!"

Maddie grinned. "It's a promise ring. Ethan gave it to me on New Year's Eve."

"Sounds like all the jewellers around here had cause to celebrate," Frankie laughed as she held up her left hand.

"Yes they did," Maddie said admiring Frankie's ring. "I can't wait to meet him. We should really do something---the four of us."

"We will I promise," Frankie replied as she opened the door. "I'll owl you this week okay? And tell Ethan that spell's going to wear off in a few hours and he'll have his poo walls back."

Maddie laughed. "Will do. Thanks again, Frankie."

"See you later Maddie," Frankie ducked down the hallway and Apparated out.

"I'm famished," Maddie announced, coming back into the sitting room.

"Ethan doesn't have anything in the icebox," Saffron said. "I already checked."

"Let's go out to eat and then we can run by the shops," Hermione suggested.

"Sounds good to me," Ethan got off the sofa. "Tomorrow we get to start packing things back up for storage."

"And when are you moving in for good?" Saffron asked Maddie.

"End of this week," Maddie replied.

"Too bad R.J. couldn't come with us," Saffron said. "I haven't seem him at all since we've been back."

Maddie laughed. "He told me he was too busy to come help out. Can you believe that? All I could understand was busy and the name Christina."

"Christina?" Saffron asked. "Who is that? He's never mentioned any Christina to me."

"I don't know her last name," Maddie said. "But while his face was stuffed into his pillow I did think he mentioned Ravenclaw..."

"Getting jealous, Saffy?" Ethan teased pulling at her plaits again.

"No," Saffron glared at him. "I just wish he'd have told me about...wait a minute! Not Christina Grant...please not Christina Grant."

"That might have been it..." Maddie said. "Why- you don't like her?"

"I can't STAND Christina Grant," Saffron said with a frown. "She's a sixth year and thinks she's so much better than everyone else."

"Apparently so does R.J.," Ethan said, earning him a smack in the arm from Maddie.

"I cannot believe he didn't tell me he fancied her," Saffron grumbled. She threw on her cloak. "Of all the bloody people in Hogwarts to fancy..."

"It's probably just a passing fancy sweetheart," Harry said, his hand on her shoulder.

Saffron rolled her eyes. "Whatever. I'll talk some sense into him when I see him next."

"The green-eyed monster..." Ethan teased.

"I am NOT jealous," Saffron informed him. "Honestly, how dumb are you Ethan? I couldn't get involved with R.J. even if I wanted to. Not with you and Maddie being together like you are." she shook her head.

"You wouldn't be related," Ethan pointed out.

"It's just too weird," Saffron said as they left the flat. "R.J.'s my friend okay? You should be happy that we're friends- he looks out for me at school the way you would if you were there."

"For that I'm very grateful," Harry said putting an arm around his daughter.

Saffron leaned against her father happily. "Dad, tomorrow we should go flying. We haven't done that in ages."

"I'd love that," Harry said. "And I do have the day off tomorrow."

"We can go over by the Burrow and play some Quidditch!" Saffron said excitedly.

"You also need to start getting your things together for school," Hermione reminded her gently. "You leave in three days for Hogwarts."

"Don't remind me," Saffron groaned. "I don't want to go back."

"Well there's a first," Harry teased her.

"I've loved being back home with you guys," Saffron said. "And with Grandma and Grandpa. I've missed Alexa and everything...but it's so much more fun to be here."

"You only have three years left," Ethan teased. "At least you get that metal off before you go back. R.J.'s going to have loads of competition-- OW!" he rubbed his arm.

"You are such a---" Saffron said trying to think of the perfect word to describe her brother.

"Wonderful, good looking, fantastic..." Ethan deadpanned. "All of the above will do."

"Egomaniac?" Saffron's eyes lit up.

"Arrogant?" Maddie suggested linking arms with Saffron.

"You're supposed to be on my side," Ethan said to his girlfriend.

"Messy?" Maddie continued.

"Sloppy?" Saffron asked laughing.

Ethan gave Maddie his best pout.

"Don't look at him Maddie," Saffron said covering the blonde's eyes with her hand. "Be strong!"

"It's hard to resist him Saffy," Maddie laughed. "Especially with that look!"

"He got it from his father," Hermione shook her head. "Who do you think taught it to him?"

"Maybe I can teach it to R.J.," Ethan said to Saffron.

"Ugh!" Saffron glared at him. "Will you sod off and stop bugging me about R.J.?"

"Saffy and R.J. sitting in the tree," Ethan started to sing. "S-N-O-G-G-I-N-G...."

A murderous look came over Saffron's face and she took off after Ethan who ran ahead still singing the song.

"Are you sure you want to move in with him?" Harry joked to Maddie.

"Yes," Maddie said smiling. "More than anything."

"You'll be the one to handle him," Hermione smiled at the young woman.

Maddie laughed. "I'm certainly going to try."

50. Chapter 50

A/N: Sorry for the late update you guys- I (Heaven) was babysitting and the parents got home much later than they had expected and I had told Amy earlier that I would update thinking I’d get home around ten. So my apologies for making you all wait- and please don’t kill us for the little cliffie at the end of this chapter ;) As always, PLEASE let us know what you think!

"So are you positive your sister doesn't hate me?" Frankie asked as she followed Will to his brother Jack's house, where they were having dinner with his siblings and their families. "And that she's not a witch, and therefore won't hex me to sport warts and ugly hair the rest of my life?"

Will chuckled. "Frankie, they don't hate you. And I've told you how many times now that I am the only magical person in my family? You have nothing to worry about aside from Mia, who is actually pretty harmless."

"Who's Mia again?" Frankie asked, suddenly panicked. "I'm never going to remember all their names... I couldn’t even remember that Disney was the guy that did those films Caroline loves!"

"Mia is Jack's daughter," Will said putting an arm around her. "She's five years old and she loves those Disney movies just like Caroline."

"You'll help me if I forget right?" Frankie asked.

"Yes," Will said giving her a kiss. "They're just my family. They're completely harmless."

Frankie relaxed against him. "I just figured after breaking your heart that they wouldn't like me at all."

"They know how happy you make me," Will reassured her. "That's all that matters. Now, are you ready?"

"Ready," Frankie said. "One more kiss for luck?" she asked.

Will leaned in and kissed her. "They're going to love you, Frankie."

"Okay," Frankie said. "I love you Will."

Will squeezed her hand. "I love you too." With his free hand, he rang the doorbell.

"William!" Jack exclaimed swinging the door open. "Since when do you ring the bell?"

"Well, I wanted to impress Frankie," Will said motioning toward his girlfriend.

"Hiya Frankie," Jack said warmly. "Glad you could make it."

"Hi," Frankie shook his hand. "It's lovely to finally meet you properly."

"I feel like we know you already with how much Will's talked about you," he said standing back so they could enter the house. "Everyone's in the sitting room..."

"All right," Frankie gripped Will's hand in hers. A case of her former nerves sprang up but she pushed them away, telling herself that soon enough these people would be her family.

Jack led the way to the sitting room and the conversation came to a standstill once they saw that the guests of honour had arrived.

"Well," Will said. "Frankie, you know Jack, of course. This lovely woman here is his wife Claire..."

"Hello Frankie," a pretty woman with short blonde hair said extending her hand. "It's lovely to meet you."

"You too," Frankie smiled, feeling at ease with this woman right away.

"And this little terror," Will said tickling his niece. "Is Mia..."

"Hi!" the little girl chirped. "You're going to be my new aunt right?"

Frankie smiled at the pretty blonde-haired little girl. She wore her hair in plaits like Caroline often did. "Yes, I sure am. You can call me Frankie."

"Okay," she grinned. "And you can call me Mia!"

Frankie giggled. "Okay..."

Will grinned. "And you remember my sister, Mary..."

Mary didn't stand up or smile as she looked appraisingly at Frankie. Mary had always been fiercely loyal and protective of her baby brother and Will knew that out of everyone, Mary would be the one who might give Frankie the most trouble.

"Hello," Mary said quietly.

"Hi," Frankie nervously put out her hand. "It's lovely to see you again."

Mary stared at her for a few moments before extending her own hand.

Will cleared his throat. "And this is Mary's husband Tim. And these little hellions over there are Marcus who is six, Timothy who's four and Nathan who just turned two…watch him like a hawk."

"All right," Frankie said, hoping Mary would warm up to her as the evening wore on. "You guys should meet my little nieces, Caroline and Emma. Caroline's five and Emma's just turned one on New Year's Eve."

Timothy walked over to Frankie and looked up at her with a curious expression on his face.

"What is it Tim?" Will asked kneeling down.

Tim looked innocently at his uncle. "Is she the one who hurt you Uncle Will?"

"Timothy!" Will put a hand over his mouth.

Frankie gave a hollow laugh. "Kids say the funniest things, don't they?"

"Too funny," Mary's husband replied sheepishly. "Sorry about that Frankie."

"It's okay Tim," Frankie said with a smile. "I'm used to it. You wouldn't believe some of the things my niece Caroline comes out with..."

"What's for dinner Jack?" Will asked. "Something smells fantastic."

"Fish and chips," Jack replied. "And my little Mia helped me make a huge salad just an hour ago."

"It's going to be the bestest salad ever," Mia said proudly.

"It sounds delicious," Frankie said. She was glad they weren't having anything like a roast- she was mostly a vegetarian like her mother.

"Can I get you something to drink?" Claire asked.

"White wine would be fantastic," Frankie said, sitting on the sofa next to Will.

Claire smiled. She knew what her brother-in-law would want so she didn't bother asking him. "Coming right up..."

An awkward silence fell over the room and Will could see his older sister staring daggers at Frankie.

Jack, however, could always be counted on to make everyone feel at ease. "Frankie, we promised Will we wouldn't tell you any embarrassing stories about him when he was a kid."

"It's all right," Frankie smiled. "I already know loads- your mum told me a few things the night we went to dinner and you were in the loo. Plus I forbade my family to say a word about the things I said and did as a kid."

"Chiaki did manage to fill me in on how you used to spy on boys when you were at school," Will teased.

"Rumours," Frankie laughed. "That was never proven to be true."

"Allie backed her up," Will said. "Jon too."

"Yes well they weren't there," Frankie said. "I was set up!" she laughed.

"Will, you seem to know Frankie's family pretty well," Mary said abruptly. "And this is really the first time we've ever met her. I mean, we did see her at mum and dads, but..."

"I've had a few times when I've gone over there," Will said. "And I helped her one weekend with her nieces when her sister and brother in law were out of town and we all had dinner together when they got back." he shot a warning look at his sister.

"My family really took to him," Frankie said. "He just fit right in right from the start."

"Interesting," Mary said, still without a smile.

Claire came back into the sitting room and handed Will a beer and Frankie her glass of white wine.

"That's a lovely dress Frankie," Claire said.

"Thank you," Frankie said. "You know, if you ever want to go shopping make sure and ring me. I'm an expert." she joked.

"I need all the help I can get," Claire said grinning at her.

"That's not true Mummy," Mia said. "I heard Daddy say you never looked prettier tonight!"

Claire beamed at her husband. "Thanks Jack."

"Welcome dear," Jack smiled back at his wife.

"Your entire family is magical?" Tim asked Frankie.

"Yes," Frankie nodded. "And Will's the only one of you lot?"

"Actually," Will looked at Mia. "This one has been showing a few signs. There may be some hope yet that I'm not the only wizard around here." he laughed.

"I hope so!" Mia said enthusiastically. "I want to be a witch just like the good one in The Wizard of Oz!"

"You look more like the Wicked One who the house landed on," Marcus said with a mischievous grin.

"You be quiet Marcus," Mia ordered. "You're just jealous!"

"I think you'd love Hogwarts," Frankie told the little girl. "It's the most amazing place in the world."

"Hogwarts," Mia repeated. "Is that where you went Uncle Will? Did you meet Frankie there?"

"That's where I went," Will said nodding. "And I didn't really know Frankie when I was there, but I did see her from time to time."

"He's a year older than me," Frankie said. "We met after we both graduated, at a party."

"And you've been on and off for years?" Mary asked.

Will sighed. "Yes Mary...but that's over now. You know that."

"Four," Frankie nodded. "Something just kept throwing us back at each other and now..." she smiled at Will. "Now we're going to spend the rest of our lives together."

"Uh-huh," Mary commented.

An awkward silence followed Mary's statement as Frankie blushed and took a sip of her wine. "So um... Will told me that you're in sales, Jack."

Will groaned. "Don't get him started, Frankie!"

Jack grinned. "Will are you saying that I'm boring?"

"I'm just saying that you can go a little overboard," Will clarified.

"Says the bloke who helps write textbooks," Tim teased.

"Hey," Will protested. "I happen to cave out quite a nice living writing textbooks," he grinned.

"Well I just think you shouldn't be calling anyone boring considering what you do," Jack teased.

"I assure you your brother is not boring," Frankie said loyally putting her head on Will's shoulder.

Will grinned widely at his brother at Frankie's remark.

"I'll take your word for it," Jack said with a laugh. "Dinner should be ready if you lot want to follow me..."

"I certainly can't wait for that salad," Will grinned at Mia.

"It's really yummy," Mia said. "Can---can Frankie sit beside me?"

"I'd love to sit by you," Frankie smiled at her. "I can tell you about my niece Caroline- she loves Disney movies too!"

"Disney movies are for wusses!" Marcus called out.

"At least I don't still watch the Teletubbies!" Mia shot back.

"Nah," Tim Jr. said. "He doesn't watch them anymore. He watches Boohbah Zone instead."

"I don't watch that much telly I'm afraid," Frankie apologised. All three of Mary's children looked at her as if she'd just sprouted another head.

"Do you not have one?" Marcus asked.

"I don't have a lot of time to watch the telly," Frankie said. "My job keeps me pretty busy."

"Do you have a Gameboy?" Marcus asked.

"A what?" Frankie asked.

"It's to play games with," Marcus said. "Dad, can I show Frankie mine?"

"How about after dinner?" Tim suggested. "Then you can show Frankie all your games if she wants to see them." he smiled at the young woman.

"Sure," Frankie said taking her seat in between Will and Mia.

"I have this really cool game where you shoot these aliens," Marcus began eagerly.

"Marcus," Mary interjected. "Let's not talk about that now, okay?"

"All right Mum," Marcus said, taking a sip of his soda.

Will leaned over. "You doing okay, Frankie?" he asked his voice barely above a whisper.

"Its fine," Frankie said, leaning in so no one else could hear. "Your sister hates me even though everyone else doesn't seem to."

"She doesn't hate you," Will reassured her. "She just doesn't know you. She's always been really protective over Jack and me. I'll say something to her..."

"No, no." Frankie replied. "I want her to accept me on her own terms... however long that might take."

"Are you sure?" he asked.

Frankie nodded. "Positive." she squeezed his hand. "This family thing isn't so bad."

Will grinned. "And I think Mia's your biggest fan. She actually has a dance recital in a few weeks."

"You didn't tell me that Mia's a dancer!" Frankie said, smiling at the young girl.

Mia nodded happily. "I'm a ballerina!"

"Well you know what? My mum teaches ballet," Frankie said. "And tap dance, and just about any dance you can think of."

"Really?" Mia asked.

"Mmmhmm," Frankie nodded. "Perhaps if your parents are okay with it, you can come with me to the studio and watch- and even take some classes there."

"Can I Mummy?" Mia asked. "Can I, please?"

"Well that's quite lovely of you Frankie," Claire said graciously.

"It's my pleasure," Frankie said. "My mum's studio is fantastic. And she offers all these classes for kids."

"Is everyone in your family dancers?" Tim asked.

"My sister," Frankie said. "She used to dance professionally but she's retired- and she's pregnant with twins now. Her husband Toshio still dances in the company but she's started teaching with my mum." she smiled. "My sister Allison and I can dance, but we were never into it like Mum and Chiaki. And my dad's got two left feet."

"Sounds a bit like me," Jack said. "And Mary..."

Will laughed. "I'm the only one in the family with even the slightest bit of talent for dancing. And you know how bad I am..." he said to his fiancée.

"You're good at the slow ones," Frankie said with a smile. "That's the important thing."

"That's right," Will grinned back.

"Slow dancing is gross," Marcus looked at his brother who grimaced as well.

"You two will change your mind someday," Will told his nephews. "Mark my words on that."

Jack started to serve the food and Mia beamed as he spooned salad into everyone's bowls.

"I made the dressing myself!" she announced. "So everybody has to have some!"

"I can't wait to taste it," Frankie said smiling at the little girl. Things seemed to be going quite well and Mary hadn't said anything derogatory in quite some time. This was going to be okay, she thought to herself.

"So what exactly is it you do Frankie?" Mary asked as they all dug into their meals. "Will hasn't explained your job."

"I work in public relations," Frankie replied. "For one of the Quidditch teams. It's really stressful, but I love it."

"Doesn't sound very stressful," Mary remarked idly. "Going to parties and hanging around a bunch of sports figures..."

The smile fell from Frankie's face. "Um, well it's not just that, Mary. It's actually loads of hard work. I have to write up press releases and write pieces on each of the players for the media guide. I also have to coordinate fan events too. The parties are only a very small part of my job."

"I see," Mary replied.

"Frankie works really hard," Will said in her defence. "Its part of the reason we all haven't been able to meet before."

"We were afraid that he'd told you about how horrible we were and you were right to stay away," Jack joked. "We're really not that bad."

"And you haven't met the whole family yet," Claire said with a shudder.

"I'm not going to throw her to the wolves like that this early," Will said.

"They're not that bad," Mary replied in her cool tone.

"I'm rather used to a big family," Frankie said. "One of my parents' best friends comes from a family of seven, and he and his wife have six kids."

"Two sets of twins," Will chimed in. "Can you believe that?"

"And I thought we had our hands full with Mia," Claire said shaking her head. "Wow..."

"Josh and Jon were quite the handful," Frankie smiled. "They're a few years older than me. And Drew and Darla are both girls, and they're about four years younger than I am."

"We'll have to get both families together," Claire suggested. "So we can all get to know each other."

"That sounds like fun," Will agreed.

"I'll bring it up next time I see everyone," Frankie said easily.

For the most part, dinner went quite well. Conversation flowed quite nicely and there were only a few awkward silences. Mia regaled Frankie with details about her recital and Frankie, in turn, told the little girl about her two nieces.

"When can I meet Caroline to play with her?" Mia asked eagerly.

"I'll have to check with my sister, but maybe Will and I can take you two to the park?" Frankie suggested. "Caroline loves the swings."

"Me too!" Mia said excitedly.

"You boys are welcome to join us if your parents don't mind," Frankie said to Marcus and Timothy.

"Can we?" Timothy asked.

"I'm not so sure," Mary replied. "We'll have to see..."

"Come on Mary," Will joked. "I promise nothing will happen to the little buggers on my watch."

Tim smiled. "I think the boys would have fun," he said, nudging his wife's foot under the table.

"I suppose so," Mary finally relented. "That--that'd be nice of you both."

Frankie chanced a smile at the woman. "We'll plan on it then."

"Sure," Mary said smiling back at her. She still had her reservations, but she couldn't deny that this girl did make her brother happy.

"Well who's up for dessert?" Jack asked. "We have some fantastic pudding and of course, the always enjoyable ice cream."

"Count me in," Will said. "I always have room for Claire's pudding."

"If it's anywhere near as good as the fish and chips count me in as well," Frankie said. "Can I help you both with anything?"

"No," Claire said clearing away the dinner dishes. "You sit and enjoy your fiancé."

"She's already done that," Will cracked, earning a reproving look from Mary and a jab from Frankie.

"I don't know how you put up with him," Claire joked. "You must be on a mission from God."

"I'm not the easiest person to get along with," Frankie said with a smile. "So it's a bit of a stretch for both of us." they all laughed.

"No one else would have us," Will said squeezing her hand.

"How else do you think I got stuck?" Frankie laughed. "Will's very good to me."

"He deserves the very best," Mary said. "None of us wants to see him hurt, Frankie."

Her words hung in the air between the two women. "Well he won't get hurt Mary," Frankie replied. "Not anymore, not with me."

"Things are different this time," Will told his older sister. "We're both in the same place for once. We both want the same things. And I don't appreciate you putting Frankie on trial here--"

"I'm just looking out for you William," Mary said. "As I've always had to do since we were children."

"We're not children anymore," Will pointed out. "Look, I appreciate your concern, but you have no reason to worry."

"I'll always have to worry about you," Mary said pointedly. "You have a way of getting yourself into trouble and not getting back out."

"Will you get off his back Mare?" Jack asked. "Will has a mum, he doesn't need another one."

Mary pushed her chair back sharply. "Well I can see how much I'm appreciated here," she snapped.

Claire decided that perhaps it wouldn't be a good idea for the children to witness this. "Marcus, why don't you take your brothers and Mia into the back room. You can play your Gameboy..."

"No way!" Marcus exclaimed. "I want to see this!"

"Marcus---" Tim warned.

"We always have to miss the good stuff," Marcus grumbled, picking up his baby brother and leading Timothy and Mia out behind him.

"All I was trying to do was express concern about a girl who has been toying William along all this time," Mary explained once they were all alone. "And now she suddenly has this change of face and everything's okay? Forgive me for being a little sceptical..."

"Look I love your brother," Frankie said before anyone else could speak. "I know I messed up and I'm sorry okay? I had a few commitment issues that I couldn't admit to until this happened. But now I know that Will is the only one that I want, the only one I'll ever want."

"That's good enough for me," Will said smiling at her. He looked at his sister. "Mary?"

"I'm just looking out for you Will," Mary answered quietly.

"I know," Will said standing up and walking over to where his sister stood. "But you don't have to worry. Frankie's a great girl and I love her very, very much. For me, can you please give her a chance?"

Mary was silent a moment and Frankie held her breath.

"All right," she finally said. "Frankie... I'm sorry." she smiled at the black haired woman.

Frankie exhaled. "It's okay. We have something in common, Mary. We both care about Will and want him to be happy."

"That we do Frankie," Mary replied. "And if you make him happy, that's really all I can ask for."

Will gave his sister a hug. Jack grinned at Frankie. "Now you see why we call her 'Scary Mary'."

Frankie laughed. "I'm not going to comment on that."

"Good idea," Jack joked giving her a hug. "Welcome to the family, Francesca."

"Thank you," Frankie hugged him back.

"Well that wasn't so bad," Will said later as they left. "I mean, after Mary stopped being her evil self."

"She's not that bad all the time, is she?" Frankie asked.

"She's just really protective," Will explained. "And now that she finally knows where I stand, I don't think she'll give you any more trouble."

"I hope so," Frankie said. "I really liked Claire and Jack. And that Mia reminds me so much of Caroline. I think they'll get along really well."

"I cannot wait for those two to meet," Will laughed.

"It should be something else," Frankie said. "I'm not so sure about your nephews...I'm used to girls, not little boys."

"They're a handful," Will said. "But they're good kids. I think they liked you a lot."

"Really?" Frankie asked pleased. "I really want them to like me. They're going to be my family too."

"That they are," Will scooped her up and spun her around right there on the pavement.

Frankie giggled. "Will, what are you doing? Put me down!"

"Kiss me first," Will laughed.

Frankie shook her head. "Uh-uh."

"What was that?" Will asked, squeezing her sides.

"William Christopher Barron!" she exclaimed laughing. "You know I hate it when you do that!"

"I hate it when you don't kiss me," Will pushed his lower lip out.

"You're such a baby," Frankie said shaking her head. "Okay then...come here..."

"I'm right here," Will replied, setting her down.

"You're not close enough," she said pouting just as he had a moment ago.

Will reached out and drew her close, wrapping his arms around her waist. "Close enough now?" he asked softly.

"Perfect," she said leaning up and kissing him. He certainly didn't kiss like a boring textbook writer.

Will opened her lips under his, slanting his mouth and kissing her deeply.

"Mmmm," Frankie murmured as Will worked his way down her neck. "Let's go back to yours..."

"Suits me," Will said huskily. "I don't know how much longer I can stand these clothes on you."

Frankie grinned. "Your sister-in-law said this was a lovely dress..."

"It'll look even lovelier crumpled up on my bedroom floor," Will replied licentiously.

"Hmmm...I don't know if I want my new dress crumpled up on the ---" her words were cut off by another kiss from her fiancé. "On second thought...."

*** *** ***

Maddie was having trouble getting to sleep. She supposed it might have had something do with the fact that this was her last night in her old bedroom and in the old house. Tomorrow, she would officially move in with Ethan. It seemed so surreal and grownup. Jon, Josh, Drew, Darla and R.J. were there and they'd spent the entire evening reminiscing about old times. They'd shared stories they'd all heard a million times, but laughed like it was the first time.

She pulled back her sheets and slipped on her robe. She wanted to see if there was any of that blueberry tart her mother had made. That anda nice glass of milk would be just the ticket, she thought as she walked out of her bedroom.

Ron was already in the kitchen when his youngest daughter appeared, rubbing her eyes. "Evening sweetheart," he said. "Thought you might be up." he gestured to the table.

Maddie saw where her father had set out a piece of the blueberry tart and a glass of milk for her.

"Oh Daddy," Maddie said her voice breaking.

"Maddie," Ron reached for her and she hugged him. "Are you all right?"

"Just a little sad," she said relaxing in his comforting embrace. "I guess with the dinner tonight and now this..."

"I've been dreading this moment since you were born," Ron joked.

Maddie still held on to her father. "I love you so much Daddy. "

Ron kissed the top of her head. "I love you too Maddie. You've always been my little girl."

"I always will be," Maddie promised pulling away to look at him. "No matter where I am, I will always be that Daddy."

Ron chucked under her chin. "Music to my ears," he teased.

Maddie giggled and she sat down at the table. "This is really great."

"I'll miss this," Ron said. "I've always enjoyed midnight snacks with you."

"You just enjoy snacks...period," Maddie teased. "And you'll still have R.J. to carry on the tradition."

"He eats more than I do," Ron grunted.

"Makes sense," Maddie said. "He is named after you and he is like you in so many ways..."

Ron laughed. "That he is. And so are you Madeline Molly- although you look more like your mum."

"I do," Maddie said. "But we've all taken something from you, Dad. Jon's funny like you and always seems to say things before he thinks them out. Drew and Darla inherited your troublemaking skills and Josh is loyal, just like you. And R.J. inherited your appetite and your flying ability."

Ron felt proud hearing his daughter say these things. "I'm glad I was able to pass some things down," he grinned. "Including my appetite- which I know you've got."

Maddie grinned. "Most definitely. Frankie was mortified when I told her about having midnight snacks with you. Do you know she actually thinks you shouldn't eat anything after eight p.m.?"

Ron laughed. "She's more horrified that you managed to stay skinny when you eat as much as your old man."

"I guess I inherited your metabolism too," Maddie said with a grin.

"And that you can definitely be thankful for," Ron said, stuffing a large bite of the tart in his mouth.

"We don't have to stop this you know," Maddie said after taking a bite. "We could still do this. I can Apparate over..."

"I think you'll probably be too busy with work and with Ethan, but our door is always open for you," Ron said.

"I'm never going to be too busy for you," Maddie said. "Never."

"Again, music to my ears," Ron laughed. "Every father loves hearing that from his daughter."

Maddie smiled. She was going to miss him and her mother more than she could even put into words. Ethan kept teasing her and reminding her that it wasn't as if she was moving to another country or another city for that matter. It was just different, Maddie thought.

"You're nearly rid of us all," Maddie said thoughtfully. "I don't know what you and Mum will do with such a quiet house."

"It'll be different, that's for sure," Ron said. "Your mum's already got empty nest syndrome."

"Remember how sad she got when Jon and Josh moved out?" Maddie asked.

"That was probably the worst," Ron replied. "And I'm sure with R.J. it'll be bad again- since he'll be the last of you lot to go."

"And I remember after Drew and Darla left you kept Flooing over to their new place to see if they needed anything," Maddie teased.

"I remember you giving Drew a hard time about staying in Ireland," Ron joked.

"She threatened Dolly!" Maddie said defensively. "She kicked her cage!"

Ron bit his lower lip to try and keep his laughter in. "That damned pixie," he chuckled.

Maddie giggled. "She meant well. She just went a little crazy when we let her loose..."

"She was crazy all the time," Ron corrected her.

"Come on Daddy," Maddie said. "Admit it. You loved Dolly a little, didn't you? You let me keep her after all that she did. You had to have some feeling for her."

"Dolly made you happy," Ron said, finishing his tart. "That little pixie had you completely enthralled."

"She was my best friend growing up," Maddie said fondly. "I loved her so much."

"And now you have Ethan," Ron mused. "He loves you a lot Maddie."

"He does," Maddie said nodding. "And I love him too."

"You'll take good care of each other," Ron said. "I'm happy you got what you wanted Maddie."

Maddie looked adoringly across the table at her father. "Thanks Daddy."

"We'd better get to bed," Ron said. "You've got a big day tomorrow."

"We both do," Maddie said pushing back from her chair. "You're helping me with the rest of my stuff, right?"

"Of course I am," Ron said. "I tell you, what you and Frankie have done to Ethan's flat in just a few days..." he laughed. "The poor bloke doesn't know what hit him."

Maddie laughed. "He's taken it all in stride though. He's only complained a little bit and we didn't make anything pink."

"Lucky for him right?" Ron teased. "It looks really nice. I think you'll enjoy living there."

"I think so too," Maddie agreed. "But this will always be my home too."

"Of course it will be," Ron gave his daughter another hug. "And you'll always be my baby, you know that right?"

"And you'll always be my Daddy," she said hugging him back.

"Off to bed with you," Ron said gruffly. "I don't want you all bleary eyed and sleepy come morning."

"That was never me," Maddie said. "That was Darla."

"And I don't want a repeat," Ron said, mock sternly. "This is the last time I can order you around Madeline."

"Okay, Ronald," Maddie teased giving her father a peck on the cheek before scurrying back upstairs.

Ron watched her go then headed for his own bedroom. "What're you still doing up?" he asked Luna as he slid into bed beside her.

"Waiting up for you," Luna whispered. "You and Maddie have one of your usuals?"

"We finished off your tart," Ron said.

Luna cuddled up close to her husband. "I was looking at her tonight and I kept seeing that adorable five-year old who hung on your every word."

"Now she's almost nineteen," Ron replied, stroking his wife's hair. "And tomorrow she's moving out."

"I know," Luna said softly. "Our little girl."

"I wish I could turn back time," Ron said wistfully. "Go back to when she was born and do it all over again just to have her here another twenty years."

Luna smiled. "You said the same thing when Drew and Darla moved out."

"And I love when they all come back and visit like they did tonight," Ron grinned. "Now I know why Mum always goes crazy when we all herd on over to the Burrow."

"I'm so glad that they all had each other," Luna said. "I grew up an only child and I always wanted a brother or a sister."

"So that's why you married me," Ron teased. "So you could make sure you had a big family."

"Oh yes," Luna said sarcastically. "You've figured me out, Ronald. And here I thought I had you fooled!"

Ron leaned in and gave his wife a firm kiss. "And marrying you was the smartest damn decision I ever made."

"I wish I could go back in time and have you tell your 15-year old self that," Luna said softly.

He laughed. "I was pretty stupid back then wasn't I?"

"Yes, but I thought you were quite fascinating," Luna said.

"What did you find so fascinating?" Ron asked curiously. "My robust good Weasley looks or was it my charm? No I know- it was my appetite wasn't it? I always knew me stuffing my face was attractive."

Luna laughed. "That was some of it, yes."

"I knew it," Ron said in satisfaction.

"We'd better get to sleep Mister Confidence," Luna said giving him one last lingering kiss. "It's an early start tomorrow."

"Aye," Ron replied. "And I love you Loony."

"Weasley is my king..." Luna sang in a sleepy voice.

"Loony is my queen," Ron answered, his eyes drooping.

*** *** ***

It was nearly midnight and Saffron was busily writing her essay for Professor McGonagall. She should have done it over winter break, but she'd been so busy helping Ethan and Maddie with the move and looking after her grandfather, there hadn't been much time for studying. She was also getting used to being without her braces for the first time in two years. It still felt strange to look in the mirror and not see a mouth full of metal reflected back.

She'd spent most of the first few days back getting reacquainted with her classes and the new schedule.She'd been far too busy to seek out R.J. and even if she hadn't been, it wouldn't have made any difference. He was nowhere to be found. Some of his mates said he was meeting up with his new girlfriend Christina up in the Astronomy Tower. How could he not see what a complete and utter cow that Ravenclaw was?

"Speak of the devil," she muttered as R.J. stumbled into the common room. Even from her seat across the room she could see the shiny lip gloss streaked over his mouth.

R.J. was lost in thought and didn't notice anyone in the Common Room. He was thinking about what he and Christina had just done in the Astronomy Tower.

"Good evening to you too," Saffron said sarcastically when it looked like her friend would just walk past her.

R.J. turned around and was surprised to see Saffron sitting at her favourite table in the back of the room. "Hey, Saf. You're up late, aren't you?"

"Just finishing an essay," Saffron replied. "What's your excuse?"

He shrugged. "Just looking at some stars...for Astronomy class, you know?"

"I didn't realise the stars wore pink lip gloss," Saffron said as innocently as possible.

R.J. blushed and hastily wiped at his mouth. "I hate that mess she wears...."

"So you WERE with that idiot," Saffron said before she could stop herself. "What do you bloody see in her anyway?"

R.J. was surprised at her tone. "Christina's not an idiot, Saffy. She's in Ravenclaw. They're not usually known for being idiots. Now Slytherins..."

"She's as stuck up as a Slytherin," Saffron countered.

R.J. didn't have much to say on that point. If he was being honest, Christina was a bit self-absorbed and conceited, but that wasn't really the point. He wondered what it all mattered to Saffron anyway. As he looked at his friend, he noticed there was something different about her.

"Saf!" he said suddenly grinning at her. "You got your braces off!"

Saffron rolled her eyes. "Thank you Captain Obvious," she replied. "I've had them off since the day before we came back and you're just NOW noticing?"

R.J. frowned. "Saffy, I haven't seen you since we got back. But now that you mention it, I did hear some blokes talking about how hot a certain fourth-year Gryffindor girl was looking...could they have been talking about you, perhaps?"

"Who was it?" Saffron immediately forgot her anger at R.J.

"A couple of Slytherins," R.J. replied grinning at her.

"Oh," Saffron replied, her lip curling up in disgust. "Well they don't count."

"I was lying," R.J. said. "Brendan Grey and Patrick Shaughnessy were the two blokes talking about how hot you were. And they even made some comments about...well; I better not say...considering what Ethan told me..."

Saffron narrowed her eyes. "What did they say?" she asked. "And what did that prat of a brother of mine do this time?"

"Which do you want to know first?" R.J. asked enjoying their banter.

"I don't care just tell me," Saffron ordered.

R.J. laughed and sat down. "Well, Brendan thinks you have a nice set of legs and he wonders why you try and hide them...and I told him to knock it off. I don't like hearing them talk about you like that."

"Why should you care?" Saffron asked, flattered at what R.J. told her. "It's nice that guys are finally starting to notice me." she smiled.

"Brendan and Patrick would notice a gardening tool if it showed interest," R.J. muttered. "Saf, you're much better than that. You deserve better than those two losers."

"Says you," Saffron returned to her essay and finished it, a small grin spreading over her face.

"You do," R.J. told her. "And I'm not just saying that because of what Ethan told me. You're my friend and ...what? What's that look for?"

"All right what did Ethan say to you?" Saffron asked. "Whatever he told you it's probably a lie."

R.J. leaned across the table. "So...you don't fancy me then?"

Saffron raised one eyebrow and then burst out laughing.

R.J. frowned at her. "It's not that funny..."

"Yes it is," Saffron giggled. "You... and me..." she was laughing so hard tears were gathering in her eyes.

R.J. was starting to get insulted. "It's not that funny, Saffron. And you don't have put on this act with me. Ethan told me that you were really jealous over me and Christina."

"You are so egotistical," Saffron said, wiping at her eyes. "I wasn't jealous and I'm NOT jealous now. I just don't like her and I think you can do better."

"Better as in a fourth year Gryffindor with brown bushy hair and green eyes?" R.J. countered. "That better?"

Now it was Saffron's turn to glower. "I NEVER said that!"

"Ethan said you'd deny it," R.J. teased.

"Ethan said, Ethan said," Saffron mocked. "You sound like a recording of my brother."

R.J. loved getting a rise out of her like this. "Its okay, Saf. You fancy me. I'm quite fanciable, according to Christina...."

"I wouldn't fancy you if you were the last wizard on earth!" Saffron fumed.

"You lurve me," R.J. sang. "You lurve me and want to have my babies...."

Saffron threw a book at his head. "I do not!"

R.J. ducked just in time. "To paraphrase my sister, I think you might be protesting a bit much..."

"Ugh," Saffron said. "I'm going to bed."

"To dream about a certain red-haired bloke who makes your heart flutter," R.J. said standing up. He watched in amusement as Saffron stuffed her books, parchment, and other supplies into her bag.

"I don't even want to LOOK at you right now much less talk to you," Saffron said haughtily. "I've NEVER thought of you in a romantic aspect, and I thought as a FRIEND, you might like to know that Christina Grant is an uppity snobby prat who will only stomp on you in the end."

"Saffy," R.J. said hastily. "I was only having a go with you. Come on, don't be like this..."

"Leave me alone," Saffron snapped.

R.J. put a hand on her arm when she attempted to push past him. "Saffy, really. I didn't mean it. I was only teasing."

"Well I'm not jealous," Saffron said firmly.

R.J.'s hand was still on her arm and he looked down at her. As stupid and immature as Patrick and Brendan were, they did have a point. Saffron was turning into a very beautiful girl.

"Wha- what are you doing?" Saffron asked, her voice quavering.

"Have you...have you ever been kissed before?" he asked.

51. Chapter 51

A/N: Sorry again for the late update guys I (Heaven) was working on the Sims trying to repackage them again for the website I have to make up so those of you who want to use them in your own game can. I swear I’m going to start putting them up soon, hopefully next week sometime!

As always, thanks for your comments last chapter and please tell us what you think after this one!

"No," Saffron said. "You know that R.J.," she tried to pull away but his grip was tight.

He didn't know why, but he reached up and brushed a strand of hair behind her ear.

"Stop it," Saffron said, her voice shaking now.

The last thing R.J. wanted to do was make her uncomfortable and to be honest what he was feeling at the moment was so strange that he didn't really know what he was doing or why. He left go of her. "I'm sorry. I don't know what got into me..."

"Why did you do that?" she demanded.

R.J. suddenly wished he'd just gone upstairs instead of getting into this--whatever this was. "I don't know. We should probably go on to bed."

"Right," Saffron swallowed. Part of her wanted him to finish what he'd just started and the other part wanted to run as far away as she could get.

"Good night Saf," R.J. said quickly before racing up the stairs.

Saffron stared up at where he'd disappeared before going to her own bed, never feeling so confused.

The next morning she woke up wondering why she felt like something was wrong and then she remembered what had happened when R.J. had walked in.

She was a near zombie as she let Alexa lead her down to breakfast. Thankfully, R.J. wasn't there yet and she and Alexa slid into their usual seats.

"Did you finish your essay?" Alexa asked helping herself to some eggs.

"What?" Saffron jumped. "What are you talking about? I didn't do anything with him!"

Alexa stared at her. "With who? I didn't say anything about anyone, Saffy. I asked if you'd finished your essay."

"Oh," Saffron turned red. "Um... yeah I finished it."

Brendan Grey let out a wolf whistle as he passed them. "Looking good Potter."

Saffron forced a grin onto her face. "Thanks Brendan," she said.

Alexa stared after the older boy. "Saffy, he's a seventh year!"

"I know," Saffron poured herself some juice. "It still feels so weird not to feel those braces," she said. "My teeth are so smooth without them."

"I still have another six months before I get mine off," Alexa said grumpily. "You're so lucky!"

"You could always use magic on your teeth," Saffron grinned. "I almost did, but my grandparents were both dentists at one point and my mum would have killed me- even though she did the same thing!"

"Not after all the money my mum and dad spent on these," Alexa said with a laugh. Both her parents were Muggles. "They'd kill me."

"Six months will go by fast," Saffron said. "And you're already so pretty," she added loyally. "No one's going to notice me once you get your metal taken away."

"Not bloody likely," Alexa said. "Unless you started wearing your dad's old invisibility cloak."

"Whatever," Saffron said, sitting up straight as R.J. came into the Great Hall.

"I give it three seconds before the Queen comes over," Alexa said under her breath to Saffron. "Three...two..."

"Junior!" a shrill voice called out from behind them.

Alexa rolled her eyes at Saffron. "Why on earth does she insist on calling him that? Didn't you tell me he hates that?"

"He can't stand it," Saffron glared at Christina as she ran over to R.J. and threw herself at him. "Ugh she is so bloody..."

"Come and sit with me at the Ravenclaw table," Christina purred. "No one will care..."

"I can't Chris," R.J. said uncomfortably.

"Why not?" Christina asked, a frown appearing. "Don't tell me you have someone BETTER to sit with than meeeeeeee..."

R.J. wondered if she'd always sounded like this. "It's not that, Chris. It's just that you know we're supposed to sit with our own houses. We'll see each other in Transfiguration."

"But R.J.," Christina pouted.

"I wanted to go over my notes," R.J. lied. "You know I can't concentrate when you're around."

"Can't she take a hint?" Alexa whispered to Saffron.

"I can't believe she's in Ravenclaw," Saffron snorted.

"And we thought the Sorting Hat was never wrong," Alexa joked.

"Come on Junior," Christina said tugging at his hand. "I promise I'll be quiet while you study..."

Saffron was still unnerved by what happened last night but she couldn't let R.J. go off with that bimbo. "Hey R.J.!" she stood up. "I've got that book you let me borrow!" she called over to him.

Christina glared at Saffron.

"Thanks Saffy," R.J. said heading over to her.

"Junior," Christina whined.

"I'll catch up with you later," R.J. said rolling his eyes so only Saffron and Alexa could see.

"You owe me," Saffron said as he sat down.

"Don't I know it," R.J. said with a sigh of relief as Christina sauntered back to the Ravenclaw table. "Hi Lex..."

Alexa blushed. "Hiya R.J."

"I told you she was an idiot," Saffron said, digging into her kippers.

R.J. knew he should defend her, but the more he thought about it, the more he was beginning to see that Saffron was right.

"She's...she's Christina," R.J. finally said. He looked across the table at Alexa. "I thought we were having waffles today. Did you get mine?"

Alexa giggled. "No, I didn't. I think the Ravenclaw table has some, Junior."

"I hate it when she calls me that," R.J. said. "I've told her time and time again to stop that."

"There's some down there," Saffron pointed to where some first years were eagerly grabbing them off a large platter. "And you'd better look like you're discussing a book with me so your woman doesn't get any more jealous than she already is."

R.J. nodded and picked up Alexa's Charms textbook. "Right..."

"I'm going to go grab some of those," Alexa got up. "I'll be right back..."

Once Alexa was gone, a tension filled silence hung in the air between Saffron and R.J. "So um..." Saffron said.

"Yeah," R.J. said flipping absently through the book. "I didn't sleep much last night. You know how it is when you have so much on your mind and you want to go to sleep so bad, but you can't stop your mind from just processing all these thoughts?"

"I know what you mean," Saffron said quietly.

"Here's this girl that I've known since we were kids," R.J. continued, his eyes still focused on the book and not on Saffron. He knew if he had to look at her, he'd never be able to say any of this. "And I've always thought about her as a little sister. And then we get back to school and all these blokes are talking about her and I don't know...last night, I started to see you a little differently. "

A lump the size of an apple had lodged itself firmly in Saffron's throat. "You did?" she squeaked.

R.J. changed a sideways glance at his friend. "Aye..."

"Oh," Saffron stared down at her half empty plate. She really didn't know what to say- part of her jumped at hearing this and the other part kept her firmly grounded.

"It kind of freaked me out last night," he admitted. "I mean, there are our families. There's me being older than you...."

"The fact that my brother is practically married to your sister," Saffron interjected dryly.

"That too," R.J. said. "But...we're not related by blood. It's not like it would be incest or anything."

"Of course not," Saffron said quickly.

"Did you mean what you said last night?" he asked. "About never thinking of me that way?"

"I didn't mean to laugh," Saffron said. "And if we're being truthful... I have thought on occasion that you're cute. But I never wanted to date you... at least... not until..." she was too scared to finish that sentence.

"Until last night?" R.J. asked a hopeful tone to his voice. "I felt the same way Saffy."

Saffron looked straight at him and opened her mouth to say something when Alexa plonked her plate back down.

"I can't believe I nearly had to wrestle these away from some first years!" she laughed, unaware of the tension between her best friend and R.J.

"Did you get me one too?" R.J. asked both annoyed and grateful at the interruption.

"I snagged a few extra in case you still wanted them," Alexa said.

"I've got to go back to the dorm," Saffron jumped to her feet. "I forgot my essay up there."

"You've got plenty of time," Alexa said. "We don't have class for another twenty minutes. I'll wait for you down here."

"I should probably get going too," R.J. said. "I was um...there was thing I needed to do before class."

Saffron wordlessly grabbed her bag and hightailed it out of the hall, knowing R.J. was on her tail but not knowing if she wanted him following her or not.

"Wait up!" R.J. called after her. He thought she'd wanted to leave so they could continue their talk, but maybe he'd read her wrong. "Saffy! Please!"

Saffron stopped right at the staircase leading to the tower. "What is it?" she asked.

"You were going to say something before Alexa came back," R.J. said. "What was it? What were you going to say?"

"I don't know if I want to talk about this anymore R.J.," Saffron said. "It's confusing for me all right? I'm only fourteen- I haven't ever had a boyfriend, I haven't even been kissed and--"

Without thinking, R.J. grabbed her arm and pulled her to him. He gently pressed his lips to hers.

Saffron's eyes popped open wide and she stood stiff as a board for a moment before letting herself relax into what was happening.

She wasn't as experienced as Christina, but R.J. didn't much care. This was nice. This was....sweet.

R.J. pressed harder against her mouth as he pulled her closer. It was a chaste, closed lip kiss but Saffron couldn't believe this was happening.

"Should I not have done that?" he asked shyly when they pulled apart.

"I... I don't know," Saffron said, completely dazed. She'd just received her very first kiss from one of her best friends.

"For your first time," R.J. said touching her cheek. "You did really well." He didn't want to make her feel uncomfortable and he'd always been able to make her laugh.

"Thanks," Saffron whispered.

He wanted to kiss her again, but he wasn't so sure if that was a good idea. She looked like she wanted to get away as fast as she could.

"I should really go," Saffron said, looking at the floor. "I um... I guess I'll see you later after classes in the common room?"

"I have practise this afternoon," he said.

"This evening then?" Saffron asked. "I really think we need to talk about... what just happened here."

"We do," R.J. said taking her hand. "How about we meet like we did last night? The Common Room should be deserted."

"Okay," Saffron nodded and chanced a smile at him.

"I'll see you tonight then?" R.J. asked.

"It's a plan," Saffron said, surprising herself by leaning over and giving him a peck on the lips.

"It's not every girl who gets me away from breakfast," he said turning to head back into the Great Hall.

Saffron shook her head before turning to head to her first class. She didn't know what was happening but she was starting to like it.

*** *** ***

The rest of that day had Saffron sitting on pins and needles during her classes. She was so nervous about the impending conversation with R.J. that night that she gave a wrong answer in Potions, causing Gryffindor to lose ten points which Alexa managed to gain back in Charms.

It was already half past eleven and everyone had retired except Saffron and apparently R.J., who hadn’t shown back up from practise yet. She was about to give up on him when the portrait door suddenly swung open and he trudged inside.

"Sorry I'm late," he said quietly. "I sort of got..."

"Sidetracked with HER right?" Saffron asked, surprised at how harsh her voice was.

R.J. frowned. That had been the reason he'd been late, but it wasn't what she was thinking. "Practise ran late, Saffy. And when I was on my way back here, she cornered me in the hall. Nothing happened."

"Right," Saffron muttered. "Look I'm really tired so--"

"Do you really think I'd do something like that with her after what happened between us this morning?" he asked putting his hand on her arm. "Saffy, I'm not like that. You know me."

"I guess so," she said softly. "I am so confused right now R.J.."

R.J. led her over to the sofa and they both sat down. "I'm confused too. What happened last night and this morning...to tell you the truth, I've not been able to think of anything else. I nearly fell off my broom five times tonight."

That made Saffron smile. "Now that I can't believe."

R.J. laughed. "It's true."

"I screwed up in Potions today," Saffron admitted. "You can imagine how much Snape loved that."

"It was probably like Christmas, Halloween and his birthday all wrapped up in one," R.J. said trying very hard not to notice what the firelight was doing to her hair and her eyes.

"Yeah," Saffron laughed. "He's really such a git."

"He terrified me my first year," R.J. admitted. "I'd heard such horror stories from my brothers and sisters and then from my dad."

"Ethan had me shaking before I went into the class the first time," Saffron shifted a bit on the sofa. "But once I knew what I was doing... it's just basically him that makes it so bad."

R.J. turned to look at her. "How do you do that? You're not scared of anything. You're the bravest person..."

"I'm not that brave," Saffron's cheeks turned pink

"Name one thing that scares you," R.J. said taking her hand without realising he'd done so.

"This," Saffron whispered. "What's going on right now."

"Why are you scared?" he asked. "It's just me."

"That's why I'm so terrified," Saffron said. "You're one of my best friends R.J.. If we started dating and then broke up, we wouldn't be friends anymore."

"You think we'd break up?" he asked.

"Nothing lasts forever," Saffron said hoarsely.

"Your mum and dad have been together forever," R.J. countered. "So have mine."

"R.J.," Saffron pulled her hands away.

"You don't think this is a good idea, do you?" he asked quietly.

"Part of me does," Saffron said. "But part of me thinks that we're so much better as friends."

"I know," he agreed. "Part of me wants things to go back to the way they were before all this happened, but then..."

"It just seems... to me..." Saffron was choosing her words carefully. "That all this was brought about by what Ethan said."

"Maybe a little, but I've always thought you were pretty Saffy," he said. "And you make me laugh. And you...you're just this amazing person. I've always known that."

"And I make a good subject for your photographs," Saffron smiled.

"The camera loves you," he said grinning back at her.

"So what do we do?" Saffron asked. "I mean... I really don't know here R.J...."

R.J. looked thoughtfully at her. "I don't know, Saffy. I wish I did. I keep trying to think rationally about this, but all I want to do is .."

"Kiss?" she asked timidly.

R.J. nodded. "Is that what you want too?"

"I don't know," she said. "Maybe... um... maybe we should... just so you know, so we can try and figure this out?"

"Okay," R.J. said inching closer to her on the sofa.

Alexa had been reading upstairs waiting for Saffron to come back from studying. She wanted to make sure her best friend was okay. All day long, she'd seemed so preoccupied and distracted. Knowing Saffy, Alexa thought slipping out of her bed and throwing on her robe, she'd fallen asleep.

Saffron nervously licked her lips as R.J. leaned in and kissed her gently. It started out much like it had earlier that day except this time it grew deeper.

Alexa slowly crept down the stairs. As she made it to the last step, she froze. Saffron was in the common room, but she wasn't alone.

R.J.'s hands were cupping her face as they kissed; she leaned against the back of the sofa, her eyes closed and they were both quite unaware that they had an audience.

"You sure you've never done this before," R.J. asked softly when they pulled apart. "Because you really are quite good..."

"No," she whispered. "I never kissed anyone before today."

"So," he said nervously. "Did that clear anything up for you?"

Saffron had enjoyed the kiss but it wasn't as thrilling as it had been earlier. "Kind of..." she said.

Alexa couldn't bear to hear this anymore. She crept back upstairs, still unnoticed by R.J. or Saffron.

"You want us to be just friends don't you?" he asked. When he saw her hesitate, he smiled. "If you really wanted this, you wouldn't have doubts Saffy."

"I guess you're right," Saffron said. "I do care about you a lot R.J.. I just don't know if what we have is meant for a romantic relationship."

"And the Ethan and Maddie thing makes it seem strange, doesn't it?" he asked. "I mean we're not related, but ..."

"It just feels too close already," Saffron finished.

"Damn them," R.J. joked.

Saffron laughed. "Why'd they have to get together?" she agreed teasingly. "They ruined us before we even started!"

"Exactly," R.J. said laughing. "They're so bloody selfish. I have half a mind to tell them what I think of them next time I see them."

"Speaking of Ethan," Saffron said. "You are NOT to tell him about this. I could never live with him if he thought he was right about you and me."

"Okay," R.J. said extending his hand toward her. "I won't tell Ethan, if you promise me that you will never ever go out with Brendan or Patrick. They really are shite, Saffy. Really."

Saffron leaned over and hugged him. "I'm glad I have you looking out for me," she said. "I won't date those guys. I don't think they're THAT cute."

R.J. hugged her back. "And you'll be happy to know that Christina and I are no more..."

"You mean that's why you were with her?" Saffron brightened.

"I honestly didn't expect to see her tonight," R.J. admitted. "But she cornered me on my way back and she really is quite annoying and clingy...I guess I didn't notice before."

"I could have told you that ages ago," Saffron scoffed.

"So I guess I should listen to you more often," R.J. said getting to his feet and helping Saffron up as well. "Come on you."

"You should listen to me all the time," Saffron said. "I AM a girl after all. I do know everything."

R.J. laughed and they held hands as they walked up the staircase toward the respective dorms.

"So we're okay?" he asked. "We'll go back to how we were before and no one will be any the wiser?"

"That sounds like a good idea," Saffron agreed. "And R.J.- in my unskilled opinion, you kiss quite well."

R.J. grinned. "See? For the rest of your life, you'll be able to say that Ronald Bilius Weasley Junior gave you your first kiss. Not many girls can say that.."

"Aren't I the lucky one?" Saffron giggled. "Night R.J.."

"Night Saf," R.J. said pecking her on the cheek before walking away.

Alexa was still reading when Saffron walked into their room. Their other roommates were fast asleep.

"Hey how come you're still up?" Saffron asked, depositing her bag next to her bed before pulling out her pyjamas.

Alexa didn't answer right away. "I'm not very sleepy," she finally replied not looking up from her book.

"What are you reading?" Saffron asked as she changed.

"Just a book," Alexa said coolly.

"Lex?" Saffron had noticed her friend's tone. "Is something wrong?"

"Why would anything be wrong?" Alexa asked looking pointedly at Saffron.

"I don't know," Saffron said. "Why don't you tell me?"

"We're best friends aren't we?" Alexa asked closing her book. "We've been that way since our first day here, right?"

"Right," Saffron said, pulling back the covers on her bed. "Since the day we shared a compartment on the train."

"And we always said we wouldn't have secrets from each other," Alexa said.

Saffron had a sudden bad feeling about where this conversation was going. "I know..." she said quietly.

Alexa felt tears welling up in her eyes. She knew she shouldn't get angry. She'd never told Saffron about her silly crush on R.J. partly because she knew that the older boy would never fancy her. That in itself was a secret. "I came downstairs to check on you," she said softly. "I was afraid you'd fallen asleep like you always do when you're in study mode..."

Saffron felt like she'd had the wind knocked out of her. "You saw me with R.J. didn't you?"

Alexa nodded. She couldn't bear to hear how Saffron and R.J. were now a couple and that they'd be sitting alongside each other at meals and snogging in the common room.

"Lex," Saffron said. "You didn't see exactly what you think you saw."

"It's not important," Alexa said quickly putting her book on the nightstand. "It's late..."

"R.J. and I aren't together," Saffron said. "We... thought we might be interested in each other but we're just friends."

"Right," Alexa said reaching over and drawing the curtains closed around her bed. "Good night Saffy."

"Lex!" Saffron thrust the curtains aside. "I'm not going to sleep until we work this out!"

"Work what out?" Alexa hissed. "There's nothing to work out. I hope you and R.J. will be very happy together, Saffy. Very, very happy."

"We AREN'T together," Saffron said, then her eyes widened. "YOU fancy him don't you! That's why you're so angry with me!"

That was all Alexa needed for Saffron to go running to her new boyfriend so they could both laugh about it. "I do not!" she said emphatically.

"Why didn't you ever tell me?" Saffron asked, ignoring her friend's protest.

Alexa sighed. "Because he's never going to fancy me in a million years. And now he's dating my best friend."

"We are NOT dating," Saffron said. "Honestly Lex- why would I lie to YOU about this?"

"You didn't tell me about snogging him..." Alexa started to point out.

"Because it just happened," Saffron sat at the edge of her friend's bed.

Alexa let this sink in for a few moments. "That was the first time you and R.J. had snogged ever?"

"This morning," Saffron said. "He kissed me when we left the Great Hall. And it sort of left me feeling messed up all day- and we agreed to talk it out tonight." she shook her head. "If it wasn't for my bloody stupid brother and his insinuations, nothing like this would have ever come about."

"You kissed him this morning and you didn't say anything to me about it all day?" Alexa asked her with a hurt expression on her face. She couldn't believe this was happening and she couldn't understand what Ethan Potter would have to do with anything.

"I told you," Saffron said. "I just wanted to work it out with him before I said anything to anyone. And we realised we're better off as friends."

Alexa stared at her best friend. "Really?"

"Yes," Saffron said. "Really."

"Oh," Alexa responded fiddling with a string on her sheets.

"Are you really mad at me now?" Saffron asked.

"Kind of," Alexa said looking up and meeting her gaze. "I don't know what I am right now, Saffy..."

"Please don't be mad at me," Saffron pleaded. "You're my best friend Lex!"

"You're my best friend too," Alexa said giving her a slight smile. "But I guess I can't really be that mad at you. You didn't know how I felt about R.J."

"Want me to say something to him?" Saffron offered. "He broke up with Christina tonight."

Alexa looked horrified. "Merlin, no! Saffy after being with you and Christina, do you really think he'd look twice at me? I still have my braces for heaven's sake! Promise me you won't say anything!"

"Oh come on," Saffron said with a grin.

"Promise me!" Alexa hissed. "No one knows about this, but you...and my mum, but that's it!"

"You told your mum?" Saffron giggled.

Alexa blushed. "I sort of had to. She saw that picture of you and me and R.J. that Beth took. And she asked who was that nice young man in the photo and I went on and on about him and she sort of figured it out."

"Oh," Saffron was still giggling. "All right, I promise not to say anything. But for the record I think you're mad. You look fine with your braces on and you'll look fine when you get them off too."

"You're my best friend, you're supposed to say stuff like that," Alexa said giggling too.

Saffron reached for her friend's pillow and hit her over the head with it. "Night Lex. Thanks for listening to me."

"Another thing best friends are supposed to do," Alexa said grinning at her. "Good night Saffy."

*** *** ***

"Mads the sitting room looks fine," Ethan laughed. "And besides, Frankie's already seen it. You don't have to go about rearranging everything again."

"These are our first real guests," Maddie said moving one of Ethan's sport magazines under one of the coffee table books. "You know other than our family. And I really think you should read Saffy's letter. You know what happens when you ignore a howler..."

"Yeah, yeah," Ethan said. "I'll throw it out the window when I'm done in here."

"Aren't you curious as to what it's about?" Maddie asked. "It's not every day your baby sister sends you a howler."

"I have a feeling I know what it's about," Ethan said, thinking back to his talk with R.J. before the younger man had left for school.

"What?" Maddie asked looking over to the bookshelf where the red envelope was smoking. "Ethan...."

Ethan turned red. "I might have said something to R.J. about Saffy fancying him..."

"You didn't!" Maddie exclaimed. "Ethan James Potter, why on earth would you do something like that?"

"Because it was funny?" Ethan offered.

Maddie shook her head. "I seem to remember that you used to have a crush on Chiaki when we were growing up. How would you have felt if Julie told her about...wait, she did tell her, didn't she?"

"Yes," Ethan said defensively.

"Do you remember how you felt when she did?" Maddie asked him. "Well, you can multiply that by a thousand to get some idea of what that must have been like for Saffy."

"Come on Mads," Ethan said. "It was just something funny."

Maddie walked over to the bookshelf and picked up the red envelope. Handing it to Ethan, she smirked. "Something tells me Saffy didn't think so. Open it."

"No way," Ethan said. "I'm not stupid."

"Open it," Maddie said sternly. "Or you're sleeping on the sofa tonight."

"Hey!" Ethan said. "It's my bed!"

"When you asked me to move in, it became OUR bed," Maddie said holding the letter out to him.

"If you're so curious, YOU open it." Ethan said, pushing the envelope back at her.

"Fine," Maddie said rolling her eyes. She opened the envelope and Saffron's shrill voice filled the room.

"ETHAN, I AM SO GOING TO KILL YOU AND FEED YOUR REMAINS TO A HIPPOGRIFF! HOW DARE YOU TELL R.J. THAT I FANCIED HIM! AND IF YOU THINK I'LL GET OVER THIS ANYTIME SOON, YOU CAN THINK AGAIN. I'M GOING TO SPEND THE WEEKS LEADING UP TO EASTER HOLS PLANNING MY REVENGE..."

"Shite," Ethan winced. "Are you satisfied now?" he asked Maddie.

"Very," Maddie said as the letter disintegrated. "And if I were you, I'd be afraid."

"It's just Saffy," Ethan rolled his eyes.

"I may have to owl her back with some ideas," Maddie said thoughtfully.

Ethan said nothing but glared at his girlfriend.

Luckily, the doorbell chimed and Maddie looked appraisingly at the sitting room. "Okay, I think everything's fine. Let's let them in."

"Fine," Ethan said, brushing past her towards the hallway.

"Don't we look happy," Frankie said when Ethan opened the door. "You look rather cross. What's going on?"

"Just my sister being a royal pain in the arse," Ethan said. "Come on in."

Frankie laughed. She didn't know what Saffron had done, but she felt a sense of loyalty to the girl being as she too was the baby of her family. And she knew all too well about what pains older siblings could be.

"Ethan," Frankie said stepping inside. "I'd like you to meet Will. Will, this is Ethan."

"Nice to meet you mate," Ethan shook Will's hand. "Congratulations on the engagement."

"Thanks," Will said heartily. "And thanks for having us over."

"And this is my friend Maddie," Frankie said.

"Hi Will," Maddie said shaking his hand. "I feel like I know you already with how much Frankie's talked about you."

"Lovely to meet you both," Will grinned.

"So Maddie," Frankie said linking arms with her friend as they walked into the sitting room. "Tell me what was going on with you and Ethan? First quarrel?"

Ethan glared at both of them as he followed behind with Will.

"You won't believe what Ethan did," Maddie said. She told Frankie all about R.J. and Saffron and about the howler. When she was finished, Frankie was glaring at Ethan and Will was trying hard not to laugh.

"It's not funny William," Frankie said. "I would have been mortified if that had happened to me!"

"It was a bloody joke," Ethan huffed. "You women are a right pain about this sort of thing."

"It doesn't sound like Saffron found it too funny," Frankie said. "You blokes can be so bloody clueless sometimes."

Ethan and Will exchanged a look. "Can I get you a drink?" Ethan asked him. "I'd offer something to Frankie but I don't feel like it at the moment."

"Beer if you've got it," Will replied.

"Make that two," Frankie called out to Ethan's retreating back.

"One beer coming up!" Ethan said loudly.

"I'm sorry," Maddie apologised to them. "He's a bit stressed out with the move and his first Auror assignment. I'll go make sure he brings you a drink Frankie."

Frankie nodded and she and Will sat down on the sofa.

Ethan was getting himself and Will a beer from the icebox when he heard Maddie come into the kitchen. "It really was a joke Mads. You know I'd never do anything to hurt Saffy."

"I know," Maddie took the beer from his hands. "And she'll know that too when you explain it to her." she wound her arms around his waist and kissed him. "I love you Ethan James."

"I love you too," he said kissing her forehead. "And I never thought R.J. would say anything to her. I just didn't think."

"It'll be fine," she smiled at him. "Now come on, let's enjoy the evening all together all right?"

Ethan smiled and nodded. "Okay, so what did you want me to get for your partner in crime?"

"She wants a beer," Maddie said. "And I think I'd just like some ice water for now."

"Coming right up," Ethan said. "How about you go and give this to Will and Frankie and I'll get you some water."

"Thank you," Maddie gave him another kiss.

Will and Frankie were discussing their halves of the wedding party when Maddie came back into the room.

"I don't know why you want Alicia to be a bridesmaid," Will said with a laugh. "She's so flaky."

"She's my friend William," Frankie said with a glare.

"You don't like all my mates either," Will pointed out. "You told me that you thought a broomstick had more personality than my mate Russell."

"Well that's true," Frankie said.

"So if you have Alicia as a bridesmaid, I think Russell should be a groomsman," Will reasoned, smiling at Maddie as she handed him a beer.

"I'm not talking about this with you right now," Frankie said dismissively.

"Have I met Alicia?" Maddie asked sitting down in one of Ethan's favourite chairs.

"Trust me, you'd remember if you had," Will couldn't resist saying.

"William Christopher-" Frankie's eyes were narrowed.

Will held up his hands. "Okay, okay....we'll talk about this later."

Ethan came back in and handed Maddie her ice water. "We figured we'd go out for dinner," he said. "We didn't really have a lot of time today to make anything." he said apologetically.

"Maddie said you were starting on a new case?" Will asked conversationally. "Your first?"

"Yeah," Ethan nodded. "My mate Justin and I are partners."

"Hmmm," Frankie said smiling. "I remember Justin...he was..."

Will looked at his girlfriend. "He was what exactly?"

"Nice," Frankie said innocently.

Will raised an eyebrow.

"He was way too young and impressionable for Frankie," Ethan teased.

Maddie nudged him. "You're embarrassing her. Be nice."

"You're right," Ethan said. "I'm sorry Frankie."

"It's okay," Frankie said tersely. "How about we get going? I'm really hungry."

"Sure," Maddie got up. "We thought we could go to that Italian place our parents always rave about. The one where your parents had their wedding reception?"

"Oh! That sounds great," Frankie said with a grin. "I love that place."

"They make the best tiramisu," Maddie smiled at Will. "Have you been there?"

"No," Will replied. "But the other night Frankie's mum and dad suggested it for our reception."

"Have you two set a date yet?" Ethan asked, helping Maddie with her cloak.

"June 22nd," Frankie answered. "We both were able to get that time off from work and I really think June is a perfect time for a wedding."

"How lovely," Maddie said.

"You just make sure you don't have any visions during that time," Frankie joked. "I'm going to need your help."

"I hope I don't," Maddie smiled as Ethan locked the door behind him. "I wish I could control them better."

Frankie didn't press her friend for details. She knew that due to her position at the Ministry, Maddie wasn't at liberty to talk about the things she saw. It did fascinate Frankie and she wondered what it must be like to have that responsibility. "I really do admire what you do Maddie. You're helping so many people. That's got to make you feel wonderful."

Maddie squeezed Ethan's hand. "For the most part it does," she said softly. "Sometimes it's hard when the visions are violent."

"Of course," Frankie said. "I hadn't thought about that."

"I'm lucky I have supportive friends and family," Maddie said as the four of them walked.

"Frankie tells me you have three brothers and two sisters," Will said to Maddie. "I've had the pleasure of meeting Jon, but I haven't met anyone else. Your poor mum with two sets of twins..."

Maddie laughed. "It was a bit crazy," she agreed. "Jon and Josh were definitely the mischievous pair."

"I imagine your sisters were quite a handful too, eh?" Will asked.

"They were, but my brothers were definitely into switching places more than they were." Maddie said. "Darla's always been shyer than Drew so it was easy to tell them apart."

"What about you Will?" Ethan asked. "Any brothers and sisters?"

"I have an older brother and sister," Will said. "Mary and Jack."

"So the two of you are both the babies of your respective families," Ethan commented.

"How fitting right?" Will joked, his arm around Frankie.

"Absolutely," Frankie said snuggling closer to her fiancé.

They finally made it into the restaurant and the four of them stood in lobby waiting to be seated. The restaurant was quite crowded and the maitre d told them it would be a few minutes.

"Frankie?" a tall, athletic bloke with spiky black hair called out from behind them.

Frankie turned as she heard her name. "Scott!" her eyes widened. "What are you doing here? I thought you moved to Prague?"

"I'm home visiting my parents," he said giving her a hug. "You are more beautiful than I remember!"

Will's eyes nearly bugged out of his head as he watched this stranger spin Frankie around.

"You look great too," Frankie bubbled. "God it's been ages since I've seen you!"

"I know," he said grinning back at her. "Not since that ski weekend where you ..."

"Hi," Will interrupted. "I'm Frankie's fiancé Will."

Scott laughed. "Pardon? I thought you just said you were Frankie's fiancé, but that can't be true. Francesca Longbottom told me she was never going to get married ever..."

Frankie giggled. "I never said that, Scott!"

"She's changed her mind," Will said with a rather forced smile.

Frankie didn't pick up on the tension between the two men. "Where are my manners? Will Barron, this is Scott Knowles. He's Alicia's cousin."

"Nice to meet you," Will said, his stiff smile still in place.

"And these are our friends Maddie and Ethan," Frankie continued with the introductions.

Scott nodded politely in their direction before returning his attention back to Frankie. "I can't get over how beautiful you are. Not that you weren't pretty before, but...wow!"

"You always say that," Frankie laughed, touching his arm. "You're such a charmer."

Will stared in disbelief as his fiancée flirted with this bloke in front of him. Maddie looked sympathetically at him and Ethan seemed to share his plight.

"We have to get together while I'm home," Scott was saying. "You and Alicia and me. It'll be just like old times."

"Of course," Frankie said. "Will and I would love to go out with you guys." this time she shared her smile with her fiancé.

"I'm not so sure it would be his scene," Scott said his tone light. He looked over at Will. "Seems to be a bit tame, don't you think?"

"I beg your pardon?" Will asked, his brow creased.

"Easy mate," Scott said with a laugh. "You're just not who I pictured our Frankie ending up with. You look a little too conservative."

"Our Frankie is fine," Will said tightly.

"Whatever you say," Scott said. His parents motioned for him to join him as they had just been seated. Before he left, he made a point of giving Frankie a chaste kiss on the lips. "I'll be in touch, Frankie."

Will stared in disbelief. "I can't believe you just let him do that." he said to Frankie.

"Do what?" Frankie asked innocently.

Maddie and Ethan excused themselves and went into the bar. "You were bloody all over him," Will said furiously. "And you let him kiss you!"

Frankie laughed wondering what the big deal was. "I was not all over him, Will. I hadn't seen him in ages. He was just being friendly and that was nothing more than a peck. You're seriously not getting bent out of shape over this , are you?"

Will shook his head. "Would you have liked it if I'd seen an old girlfriend and snogged her in front of you?"

"I didn't snog anyone," Frankie said trying to keep her voice low. "Will, that was a nothing little kiss. You have no reason to be jealous. I'm wearing your ring..."

"Right," Will said. "I'm going to the loo." he brushed past her.

Frankie rolled her eyes and walked over to the bar to join Maddie and Ethan.

"You two are not going to believe what Will is upset about..." she began.

"I think we might," Ethan said. "Could it have something to do with you snogging that smarmy git in front of him?"

"I did NOT snog anyone!" Frankie said defensively.

"That's right," Ethan said nodding. "I stand corrected. You let that bloke snog you..."

"Ethan Potter," Frankie began furiously.

"He kind of has a point," Maddie said earning a glare from Frankie. "How would you have felt if some ex of Will's came over and did that to him?"

"I wouldn't care, because I know I'm going home with him and vice versa," Frankie said angrily.

Ethan huffed. "You'd be all over him and you know it. Come on, Frankie. You mean to tell me that if you saw Will hug his ex and swing her around and then plant one on her before leaving, you'd be perfectly fine with that?"

Frankie didn't want to admit that Ethan had a point.

"I think you might want to apologise," Ethan said motioning behind her. Will was walking back over to them and he didn't look happy.

"The hostess told me they've got our table ready," Will said, not looking at Frankie.

"Great," Maddie said taking Ethan's hand. "Let's go. I'm famished."

Will glanced over at his fiancée. "You coming?" he asked coolly.

"Yes," Frankie said weakly. "Of course..."

Will nodded and turned to walk ahead of her but she grabbed his hand. "What?" he asked.

"Maybe," she began, biting her bottom lip. "Maybe I shouldn't have let Scott do that."

"Maybe?" Will scoffed.

"I shouldn't have let him do that," Frankie corrected hastily. "I'm sorry."

Will's face softened. "I was a little jealous. You're my fiancée but this other guy was all over you."

Frankie felt relief wash over her at the look on his face. "He is a bit of a letch."

"I can tell," Will cast a disdainful glance at the male in question. "Guess it's not going to be easy getting married to one of the most gorgeous witches in London."

Frankie beamed at him. "If it's any consolation, you're the only bloke I've ever loved."

Will shook his head and smiled. "You're good Frankie."

"I just know you can't stay mad at me for very long," she said looping her arms around his neck.

"Not when you do that," Will leaned in for a kiss. "Come on let's go eat."

“I love you,” Frankie said softly before sliding off the seat.

“Love you,” he returned as he wove their fingers together.

52. Chapter 52

Authors' note: We know some of you were disappointed with the RJ and Saffron's decision to remain just friends. But don't feel to bad for the youngest Weasley and youngest Potter. You will also get to know Saffron's best friend Alexa O'Leary very well in this chapter. We hope that you like her, too!

As always, please let us know what you think!

"I'm so glad you're staying here on weekends now," Alexa told Saffron as they walked out of the sweet shop. Despite the cold, they were both enjoying being out of the castle and taking in the sights of Hogsmeade. "It was so boring without you."

Saffron grinned. "Well I wouldn't have missed a Hogsmeade weekend." she said. "And my grandfather is doing so much better."

"Not that I didn't have fun with Mimi and Beth," Alexa said referring to their dorm mates. "But they're not you, you know?"

"Don't I know it," she replied boastfully. "There's only one Saffron Grace!"

Alexa rolled her eyes. "I don't think the world could take two of you, Saffy."

"Tell me something I don't know," R.J. had snuck up behind them. "What's up Saffy? Hey Lex." he grinned at the girls.

Alexa felt her stomach do little somersaults and she tried not to seem too excited to see him. This was the first time they'd all three been together since she'd seen him and Saffron in the common room.

"You scared us half to death," Saffron said swatting him on the arm.

"Sorry," R.J. said not sounding very sorry at all. "Buy me anything?" he reached for Saffron's sweets bag.

Saffron pulled it away from him. "No, I most certainly didn't. This is for me. You are fully capable of buying things for yourself, aren't you?"

"You can have some of mine," Alexa said shyly opening up her bag. "I got way too much anyway. I was thinking of sending some home to my mum, but she's on a diet so she probably wouldn't appreciate that...."

Her voice trailed off as she realised she'd been babbling.

"That's nice of you," R.J. smiled at her. "How would you girls like a butterbeer?"

"Are you buying?" Saffron asked.

He reached into his pocket and felt for some Galleons. "Sure," he replied. "Besides, I need you two to do me a favour."

"What sort of favour?" Saffron asked folding her arms.

"Christina's been hanging around all day," R.J. said. "I was sort of hoping if you two went in with me she'd get the hint I don't want to go out with her anymore."

"I thought you broke things off with her?" Saffron asked. "How much more of a hint does she need?"

"Apparently a pretty big one," R.J. said sheepishly. "What do you guys say?"

"I guess that'd be fine," Saffron said, giving her friend a wicked glance. "What do you think Lex?"

"Sure," Alexa replied not noticing Saffron's look since she was still nervous in R.J.'s presence.

Saffron knew her friend didn't want her to say anything but she wanted to give them a moment alone together. "You know what? I can't find my money bag- I wonder if I left it at Honeydukes. Why don't you both go on ahead and I'll meet you there in a minute?"

"What?" Alexa asked. "We could wait for you, Saffy...."

"We'd better go ahead Lex," R.J. said taking her hand. "It was pretty crowded in there when I walked by before. We could go and grab a table."

Alexa stood frozen for a moment, looking at her hand in R.J.'s. "O--okay..." she said, her stomach fluttering madly.

Saffron grinned. "I'll catch up with you."

R.J. had always liked Alexa, but she always seemed quiet in his presence. "So what's new with you? How were your holidays?"

"Oh they were really nice," Alexa replied trying very hard not to sound like an idiot. She'd never really been alone with him like this. And she honestly didn't think Christina would be all that threatened to see R.J. walk in with her. She'd probably laugh her head off. "My.. um... parents and I went to my grandfather's in Devonshire. He loves hearing stories about magic and Hogwarts and such..."

"Is he a Muggle?" R.J. asked, opening the door for her.

Alexa nodded and walked past him. "My whole family is, except for me."

"Everyone I know is a witch or wizard," R.J. said, putting his arm around her. "Sorry- you don't mind do you? She's staring right at me as we speak."

"N-no it's f-fine," she stammered. "I don't mind at all."

"I owe you one," R.J. said gratefully as they slid into a recently used corner booth.

Alexa nearly died when he started to run his fingers through her hair. "W-what are you doing?" she asked.

"Making it look authentic," R.J. said, grinning at her.

"Oh," was all she could say. "Okay..."

R.J. groaned as he saw Christina making her way over toward them.

"Hi Junior!" Christina said warmly. "I guess you didn't see us when you came in. I saved you a seat!"

"I'm busy," R.J. said. "And my name isn't Junior."

"Busy with who?" Christina asked looking disdainfully at Alexa. "With her? Isn't she a first year?"

"Fourth," R.J. said. "I don't want to keep you Christina."

"You're not keeping me," Christina said with a wave of her hand. "I always enjoy meeting new people. You're Saffron Potter's sidekick, aren't you?"

"I'm no one's sidekick," Alexa said as R.J. squeezed her hand.

Christina rolled her eyes. "Okay, well R.J. you know where we are, if you change your mind."

"I won't," R.J. said kissing Alexa on the forehead. "I'm right where I want to be, Chris."

Christina looked like she wanted to protest as she stared at the two of them.

"Bye now," R.J. said to Christina, pulling Alexa closer.

As stunned as she was at being so close to R.J., Alexa managed a little smirk at the older girl.

Christina gave them one last glare before stalking back to her own friends.

"That was brilliant!" R.J. exclaimed hugging Alexa. "You were brilliant!"

Alexa managed a shaky laugh. "All in a day's work." she joked.

R.J. grinned at her and handed her a menu. "Order anything you want, Lex. I mean it. The sky's the limit."

"I'll just have a butterbeer," Alexa said, feeling shy once more. Part of her wished Saffron would get there and the other part was elated at spending time with R.J. like this.

"Come on," he said nudging her. "You don't want a scone or a muffin? Come on, you know you want to."

Alexa wasn't sure if she could eat anything with the butterflies currently flitting around in her stomach. "I'll have a scone if you'll split it with me." she said.

"Now you're talking," R.J. grinned at her. He motioned for a waitress and placed an order of three butterbeers and two scones. One for him and Alexa and the other for Saffron.

"Saf sure is taking a long time with her money bag," R.J. commented.

"She probably saw something in the bookshop," Alexa replied. "You know how she is with reading."

R.J. laughed. "She's obsessed just like her mum."

"Except she loves Quidditch," Alexa smiled. Everyone knew of the Minister's dislike of flying.

"How could you not?" R.J. asked. He looked at Alexa. "I've never seen you fly before, Lex. Do you?"

"Sometimes," Alexa replied, her cheeks pink. "Not very often. I hate using the school brooms and I don't have one of my own."

"I got a new racing broom for Christmas," R.J. told her. "You're welcome to use my old one if you want. And I'd be willing to offer you some pointers if you want..."

"You'd do that?" Alexa asked in surprise.

R.J. shrugged. "After what you did for me today? Of course!"

"I didn't really do anything," Alexa murmured, looking at her lap.

"Are you kidding me?" he asked her tilting her chin up so she'd look at him. "Alexa, you saved me from having to endure another few weeks of Christina."

Alexa wasn't able to speak being so close to him.

"I'm pretty busy with practises and lessons, but maybe we could go out on the pitch on Sunday. It's usually deserted."

"Okay," she whispered.

"Good," R.J. said smiling at her. "You have a quite a smile Lex."

"It's these dumb braces," Alexa shook her head. "I can't wait to get them off."

"I like your braces," he told her.

"You must be the only one," she laughed self consciously.

"I doubt that," R.J. said. He watched as she pushed some of her hair behind her ear. "You do that a lot when you're nervous."

"Who said I'm nervous?" Alexa asked.

"You're not?" he asked raising an eyebrow. "Because I seem to remember you trying to give that speech in the common room and you kept tucking and untucking your hair behind your ears. Saffy told me you did that when you were nervous."

Alexa didn't know what to say. "I didn't think anyone was paying attention to that."

"You'd be surprised to what I pay attention to," he said softly. Alexa looked at him wanting to ask him what that meant when Saffron made her return.

She plopped down across from them. "Sorry about that! What'd I miss?"

"Your favourite Ravenclaw," R.J. replied. "She came over here and Lex was awesome."

"Of course she was!" Saffron exclaimed beaming at her friend. "She's brilliant!"

"Quite," R.J. said as their butterbeer and scones were brought over to them.

"Oh this looks fantastic," Saffron said looking eagerly at her scone. "And you two better tell me all the details I don't want you to leave anything out!"

"I'll let Lex start," R.J. said. "I need to go and ask Andrew when we're practising. Be right back..."

"Spill!" Saffron hissed once R.J. was out of earshot. "Did you two snog or something?"

Alexa blushed. "No, of course not! He was just using me to make Christina jealous. You should have seen the look on her face, Saffy! Hold on...you didn't really lose your money bag, did you? Saffy!"

"You can't be angry with me!" Saffron said. "It looked like you two were having quite a serious moment when I walked up."

"He sort of offered to help me with flying," Alexa said softly. "But I'm sure he was just saying it."

Saffron's eyes widened. "He offered?"

Alexa nodded. "But I know he didn't mean it."

Saffron was still staring at her with wide eyes. "I asked him a few years ago for some pointers and he wouldn't help me. And he offered to help you! I think he really meant it Lex!"

"Really?" Alexa asked hopefully. "You're not just saying that?"

"I swear it!" Saffron said with a huge grin.

Alexa grinned and then told Saffron about the scene with Christina. "She was absolutely livid."

"Good," Saffron giggled as R.J. came back. "I don't know how you dated her. She's such a bloody--"

"Can we please not talk about her," R.J. said sliding back in beside Alexa.

"Fine," Saffron said. "So you're giving Alexa flying lessons aye?"

Alexa turned bright red and kicked Saffron's leg under the table.

"Aye," R.J. said taking his knife and slicing the scone in half. "It's the least I could do after what she did for me."

"You can use my broom if you want," Saffron offered her friend.

"That old thing?" R.J. asked. "Don't worry Saf. I told Lex she could use my old one."

"My broom is NOT an old thing," Saffron said indignantly.

"Whatever," R.J. said. "You're welcome to join us tomorrow if you want..."

"I don't need flying lessons," Saffron boasted. "I'm good already. My dad's the best teacher ever."

"And you're so modest too," Alexa joked.

"My best quality," Saffron laughed.

"So what time's good for you Lex?" R.J. asked. "We could go out after lunch?"

"She'd love to!" Saffron answered before Alexa could.

"After lunch is fine," Alexa said, shooting Saffron a dirty look.

"Great," R.J. said smiling at her. He pushed the plate in her direction. "You better have some of this..."

"Thanks," Alexa said shyly.

"That is so adorable," Saffron said looking at the two of them. R.J. raised an eyebrow. "What is?"

"That guy over there," Saffron covered quickly. "He just walked out though."

R.J. laughed. "Perhaps you've been out in the cold too long, Saf. You're starting to hallucinate."

Saffron shot him a dirty look. "Sod off R.J.."

Alexa could only manage a couple of bites of the scone and R.J. happily finished off the rest. She couldn't believe that tomorrow afternoon she'd be alone with him again. It was stupid to think anything would happen, but she couldn't help being a little hopeful that perhaps something would.

*** *** ***

Alexa could barely eat that day at lunch. In under an hour, she'd be out on the Quidditch pitch with R.J. Weasley. Alone.

"You're going to have so much fun," Saffron was saying. "I'm really excited for you Lex."

"I feel like I’m going to be sick," Alexa said. "What if he doesn't show up?"

"He's never missed a meal as long as I've known him," Saffron said reassuringly. "And then you'll walk out there from here."

"What if I do something stupid like fall off my broom?" Alexa asked picturing every worst case scenario. "What if I trip and fall in a pool of mud? It did rain last night."

"You'll be fine," Saffron said. "R.J. won't let anything happen to you."

"You're right," Alexa said taking a deep breath. "It's just one flying lesson."

"Which might turn into more," Saffron said slyly.

"Maybe if I suddenly turned into Christina," Alexa said morosely pushing her plate away.

"You are so much better than that thing," Saffron said.

"I still can't believe what you did yesterday," Alexa said shaking her head. "I didn't mean to kick you, but honestly!"

"And if it wasn't for me, you wouldn't be going out with R.J. this afternoon," Saffron said smugly.

"We're not going out," Alexa corrected. "It's more of a lesson. You make it sound like we're going to the movies."

"Maybe once we get out for summer hols," Saffron said as R.J. appeared in the Great Hall. "Look who's here!" she grinned.

"Don't embarrass me," Alexa pleaded. "Promise me!"

"I won't say a word," Saffron rolled her eyes.

R.J. sat down beside Saffron and pulled at one of her plaits. "You two are so lucky I'm awake. I usually spend Sundays having a long lie in."

"And you're gracing us with your presence, how lucky are we?" Saffron said sarcastically.

"Very lucky," he said helping himself to some waffles. He grinned across the table at Alexa. "You remembered!"

"I actually saved them from breakfast," Alexa said. "Had one of the house elves keep them warm for you."

R.J. looked at Saffron. "Didn't I tell you she was brilliant?"

Saffron grinned at Alexa. "You did and I agree!" she got up. "Well I've really got to go to the library. I have an essay to finish."

R.J. gave her a polite nod and poured some maple syrup on his waffles. He noticed that Alexa hadn't eaten much. "What's wrong? Not hungry?"

"I ate a lot at breakfast," Alexa lied.

"I hope you don't get sick when we're up in the air," he said. "Do you know my brother Jon once taught this bloke who threw up all over him when they were only a couple feet off the ground?"

Alexa laughed. "That's horrible!" she said with a giggle.

"You should hear some of the horror stories he has," R.J. said.

"I bet they're all pretty funny," Alexa said, feeling a little more at ease. "But don't worry about me. I don't get sick when I'm flying."

"Then you and I should get along great," he said grinning at her.

"Right," Alexa smiled back.

"So since you're not a big flyer," R.J. said. "What do you like to do for fun?"

"Um," Alexa bit her lower lip. "I like to read, when I'm home I watch telly and go out with my Muggle friends."

"Do they know about you?" R.J. asked. "I mean what you are?"

"No," Alexa said as R.J. finished his waffles. "I just tell them I'm up at a boarding school."

"Must be kind of hard to keep it a secret," R.J. said. "Not being able to share that with your friends."

"That's why I'm glad I have Saffy," Alexa grinned.

"She's not that bad," R.J. said with a laugh. "She's a good friend."

"She is," Alexa said as they got up.

R.J. explained that he'd left his brooms in the changing room on Friday so they'd just have to walk out to the pitch.

He smiled when he watched her tuck her hair behind her ear. "You don't have to be nervous Lex. I wouldn't let anything happen to you. We'll take things nice and easy."

"I'm not nervous," she said wryly. "I have flown before."

He nodded and led the way out of the castle. "We couldn't have asked for a better day. I was a little worried when it rained last night, but it's really nice out today."

"Yeah it is, especially for being so early in the year." Alexa said, reaching in her pocket for a hair tie.

"So I was figuring we'd just do some of the basics today," he said. "Do a little refresher of some of the stuff you learned during your first year but expand on it a bit."

"I remember most of it," Alexa said as they arrived at the pitch. "So we don't have to do too much refresher."

"Okay," R.J. said impressed. "Well, how about we go up together first and then we'll let you try it on your own?"

"All right," Alexa agreed.

R.J. excused himself to go and get the brooms and Alexa sat down on one of the benches.

She closed her eyes a moment and hoped against hope that this lesson would go well. She was more nervous about being alone with R.J. all afternoon than she was about flying.

A few moments later R.J. came back carrying both brooms. He watched unnoticed as she tied her red hair back. He'd never thought about it before, but Alexa was quite pretty in a natural sort of way. It was quite different to be with her without Saffron as a buffer, but he was finding that he did enjoy her company.

Alexa turned at that moment and caught him watching her. "Are we ready?" she asked awkwardly, standing up.

"Um sure," R.J. said setting one of the brooms down. "I'll just get on first and then you get on in front."

"You want us to ride together?" Alexa squeaked, hating how high her voice had just gone.

R.J. nodded. "I thought it would be best. You could see how to handle the broom and I'd be right behind you. Then once we've done a few turns, I'll let you try it by yourself. That's okay, isn't it?"

"Sure," Alexa nodded, barely able to breathe. It was even worse once they were actually on the broom and his arms were encircled around her.

"Relax," he teased. "You're really tense. This is supposed to be fun."

"I know," Alexa said nervously. She reached up to tuck her hair back but it was already out of her eyes. "Okay... um..."

"Okay," he said taking her hands and positioning them on the broomstick. "Okay, there you go. And on the count of three, you're going to want to push off the ground, okay?"

"Right," Alexa replied, doing just as he said.

"Okay," R.J. said putting his hands on her waist. "One...two....three...go!"

Alexa pushed off the ground and they immediately soared up into the air, above the Quidditch pitch.

R.J. smiled when he heard Alexa laugh. "See, this is fun right?"

"I love it up here!" she called back.

"You're a natural!" he said in her ear.

"Thanks," Alexa laughed as she pulled up and they went higher.

He was quite impressed with her ability. She was much better than he'd imagined and best of all, she didn't seem to be afraid of heights.

"Is this how you always feel?" she yelled over the wind in their ears. "When you're up here by yourself?"

"Yes," he replied. "I never want to come back down."

"That's sort of how I feel right now," Alexa said, both because she was enjoying the sensation of flying and having him on the broom with her.

She leaned back against him and he smelled the sweet scent of her shampoo. As soon as the thoughts entered his head, he tried to make them go away. Alexa was his friend. She was Saffy's best friend. This probably wasn't a good idea.

"This is amazing," she said.

"Amazing," he repeated softly.

Alexa did a few loops then headed them back towards the ground. "Um... R.J.?" she called back.

"Yeah?" he asked absently.

"This is probably a good time for me to mention that I'm not so good at landings!"

"Oh," he said quickly. He reached around her waist to position his hands on hers. "Okay, ease up on your grip....and keep heading toward the ground...there you go. See, we're slowing down..."

"We won't crash right?" Alexa asked worriedly.

"We won't crash," he promised guiding her along. "There you go....."

They landed with a soft thump and she finally relaxed her grip on the broomstick. "That wasn't so bad," she said. "I should have told you before we went up that I don't do landings all too well."

R.J. smiled but didn't move. He felt an overwhelming urge to kiss her. "You were fine, Lexie."

"Really?" she asked, suddenly feeling breathless again. They were close- very, very close.

R.J. nodded, his eyes trained on hers. "Really."

"Thanks," she whispered.

"Lex," he said softly. "I'd really like to kiss you right now."

Alexa gulped. "You would?" her voice had gone squeaky again.

"Would that be okay?" he asked.

Her voice was completely gone so she nodded wordlessly.

R.J. smiled at her before pressing his lips to hers.

Alexa could hardly believe this was happening. She was kissing R.J. Weasley. R.J. Weasley was kissing her.

R.J. pulled her even closer deepening the kiss. Flying wasn't the only thing she was a natural at, he thought.

She didn't think he could surprise her any more than he already had, but a moment later when he opened her mouth under his, she actually felt like she was back in the air on the broom with him.

This wasn't what he'd planned when he'd offered to take her flying. Truth be told, he'd never seen her as anything but a friend. But spending time alone with her yesterday and today made him think that he should have been paying more attention to the sweet, shy girl who was in his arms right now.

"R.J...." Alexa said softly when they pulled apart. "I uh..." she blushed.

"I got a little carried away," he apologised. "I'm sorry."

"No it was okay," she whispered. "I just wasn't expecting that to happen. Ever." Alexa giggled self consciously.

"Why not?" he asked. He wondered if Saffron had told her about what had happened between them. He figured she had seeing as they were best friends and girls did stuff like that.

"I guess... I guess I never thought you'd ever see me as anything but Saffy's best friend." Alexa said as he took her hand and led her over to the side of the field where they could sit down.

"I won't lie to you Lex," he said still holding her hand. "That is the way I've always seen you."

"And that's suddenly changed?" she asked, tucking her hair behind her ears with her free hand.

He smiled. "We've never been alone together, have we? Just the two of us? Saf's always been there. But yesterday when it was just you and me, it was just different. And being up there with you just now..."

"It was nice," Alexa said shyly.

"Just nice?" he asked tickling her side.

"It was my first kiss," Alexa laughed.

"So you have nothing to compare it to, eh?" he teased.

"Not yet," Alexa said with a smile.

"You're not going to start snogging random blokes now?" he asked. "Going up to unsuspecting fourth years and planting one on them?"

"No!" she laughed. "R.J.!"

"Good," he said leaning in and kissing her again. "Because I wouldn't like that."

This time Alexa wasn't so surprised when he kissed her, and she responded in kind, winding her arms around his neck.

They stayed out there on the bench for what seemed like forever neither of them noticing or caring what time it was. R.J. found out more about her family and her friends back home and he told her about his family and how he someday wanted to play Quidditch professionally.

"How long have we been out here?" R.J. asked when he noticed that the sun was now setting.

"Since lunch!" Alexa looked at her watch. "I think we've missed dinner too."

"If we hurry we might just make it," he said. "At least we could grab something and take it back to the common room. I have some reading I have to do for Charms."

"I have some studying to do as well," Alexa agreed. "But if you're hungry- I know a way into the kitchens."

R.J. put his arm around her. "Lex, I'm a Weasley. If there's one thing I know, it's how to get into the kitchens."

"Of course," Alexa grinned up at him. "How silly of me to forget."

He kissed her on the forehead. "Let me just go and put the brooms away and we can head on back."

"All right," Alexa agreed as he headed into the changing rooms. She pulled her cloak tighter around her while she waited for him.

R.J. wondered if perhaps he should address the Saffron situation with Alexa. But, they'd had a really great day and he didn't want to put a damper on it now. He was pretty sure that if Saffron had told Alexa about their kiss, Saffron probably would have also told her about their mutual decision to remain just friends.

"Ready to go?" he asked offering her his hand.

"Sure," Alexa said, weaving their fingers together and smiling at him. She wasn't quite sure where they stood in terms of a friendship or relationship and she wasn't certain how to bring that sort of thing up.

"This was the best day I've had in quite some time," he said looking sideways at her.

"Me too," she agreed.

He wanted to see her again, but he wasn't sure how they would go about doing it. They didn't have another Hogsmeade weekend for at least another month. This week promised to be a bear for him as well since they had a big match against Ravenclaw this weekend. Then, it came to him.

"Are you going to the match on Saturday?" he asked trying to sound cool.

"I usually go with Saffy," Alexa replied.

R.J. nodded. "Well, I was wondering, if you weren't busy or anything if you might want to do something. You know, just the two of us after the match?"

If her heart could beat any faster R.J. would most likely be able to see it through her robes and cloak. "I'd like that," she managed to keep her voice from squeaking.

"Good," he said smiling at her. "I'll see what I can sort out for us."

Back at the castle, Saffron was pacing in front of her bed looking at her watch. They'd been gone all day.

"Do you mind?" Mimi asked with a sigh. "I'm trying to study!"

"Sorry," Saffron said, not sounding sorry at all.

"What are you so antsy for anyway?" Beth asked curiously. "You've been looking at your watch. Then, you've looked out the window. Are you expecting an owl or something?"

"Something like that," Saffron muttered. "Why are you two so nosy tonight?"

"I'm not being nosy," Mimi said defensively. "I'm trying to study but you keep stalking around and it's breaking my concentration..."

Saffron rolled her eyes. "As opposed to when I'm studying and you two are laughing over Witch Weekly?"

"Please," Beth said. "Saffy, you don't have to study. You have a photogenic memory or something."

Saffron perched on the edge of her bed. She hoped that Filch hadn't caught them- technically neither of her friends were doing anything wrong but Filch was notorious for making up rules on the spot for the specific purpose of punishing students.

Beth and Mimi decided to retreat to the common room to finish their studying. It was nearly a half hour later before Saffron heard the door open again.

"WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?" Saffron asked rounding on Alexa immediately.

"Whoa!" Alexa said, biting her lip at her friend's expression. "Have you traded places with my mum or something?"

"Don't you be coy with me, Alexa!" Saffron said pointing her finger at her. "You were gone all afternoon. You missed dinner. And you very nearly missed curfew. Where have you been, young lady?"

Alexa grinned. "Take a wild guess!"

Saffron squealed. "You were with R.J. the whole time?"

"Uh huh," Alexa laughed as Saffron dragged her over to her bed. "I suppose you want details?"

"Duh," Saffron said grabbing her pillow and hugging it tightly to her. "Every single, solitary detail. You must leave nothing out."

Alexa peeled off her cloak and tossed it onto her own bed. "Well first, we actually did go flying, for about a half hour."

"And how was that?" Saffron asked. "You didn't fall off your broom did you?"

"No, he stayed on it with me the whole time," Alexa wrapped her arms around herself. "And then after we got off-" she leaned in and whispered. "He kissed me."

"He did?" Saffron asked. "Lex!"

Alexa nodded excitedly. "And then we talked all afternoon, and he asked me if I wanted to do something with him after the game next Saturday."

"He so fancies you," Saffron said grinning at her friend.

"I can't believe this," Alexa said, getting up to get her pyjamas on. "I mean, a day ago I just thought he was going to show me a few flying tricks and today you're telling me he fancies me. I never thought this would happen."

"You don't give yourself enough credit," Saffron told her. "You're great, Lex. And it was only a matter of time before R.J. saw that too."

"Thanks Saffy," Alexa gave her best friend a grateful hug.

"And you owe it all to me," Saffron said smugly. "You and R.J. can name your firstborn after me."

Alexa laughed. "Don't get ahead of yourself. We just snogged a bit- we haven't even gone on our first date yet!"

"A mere technicality," Saffron said dismissively.

"For all I know you'll be off owling your aunt to make me some wedding robes," Alexa joked.

"It's much to early for that," Saffron said grinning at her. "And I imagine your parents would want you in a wedding dress anyway, which my aunt can also design..."

"Saffy!" Alexa squealed, hitting her friend with a pillow.

"I'll be your maid of honour," Saffron continued.

"What are you two talking about?" Mimi asked coming back into the room with Beth. "I could hear you on the staircase!"

"Alexa's going out with R.J.!" Saffron crowed.

Alexa glared at Saffron. "Saffy!"

"R.J. Weasley?" Mimi asked. "Really?"

"Yeah," Alexa said, growing shy again. "Well we're going to do something after the game next weekend, so it's not like a real date."

"He asked you out didn't he?" Mimi asked. "That's a date if I ever heard of one."

"You're going out with a sixth year!" Beth said sinking down on Alexa's bed. "You are so lucky!"

"Well we're fourth years," Saffron said. "It's about time those guys started noticing us!"

"Damn straight!" Mimi agreed enthusiastically. "I cannot wait to see the look on Christina the Depravenclaw's face when she hears about this!"

"It's going to be so great when she hears about this!" Beth joined in. "I absolutely cannot STAND that girl!"

"I'd like to know how she got into Ravenclaw," Saffron said. "She has a brain the size of a pea."

"She must have fooled the Sorting Hat somehow," Alexa said, combing through her red curls with her fingers.

"She'd have made a better Slytherin," Mimi said dryly.

"Nah," Saffron's eyes glinted. "She's total Hufflepuff material."

Alexa giggled. "She is, isn't she?"

"Totally," Saffron said, flopping on her bed. "She's so..."

"Bitchy?" Beth suggested.

"Doesn't do her enough justice," Mimi said shaking her head.

"I don't think there are derogatory enough words," Saffron announced cattily.

Alexa got serious for a moment. "Don't you two say anything, okay? I still don't know what R.J. and I have if we have anything at all. I don't want to ruin it before it even begins."

Mimi and Beth looked at each other. "Okay," they both agreed.

"Thanks," Alexa said smiling at them, hoping that she could trust them. Mimi and Beth loved to spread and share gossip.

"And I reserve the right to hex you both if you say anything," Saffron narrowed her eyes at them.

"We won't say anything," Mimi promised.

Saffron grinned at her best friend. She was really happy for her- especially now that she knew her own feelings for R.J. were strictly friends only.

"Good night Saffy," Alexa said slipping under her covers.

"Night Lex," Saffron said. "Hope you have sweet dreams about R.J.."

Alexa smiled wondering if perhaps R.J. Weasley was in his bed at this very moment having sweet dreams about her.

*** *** ***

Ethan let himself into the flat looking forward to spending a nice, relaxing evening at home with Maddie. He'd had a terrible day. He and Justin had missed an important lead and had almost blown a case. His father tried to tell him it was okay and that everyone made mistakes, Ethan could tell he was disappointed. But that was nothing compared to how Ethan felt.

He took off his cloak and called out for his girlfriend. He knew she was home because her own cloak and bag were on the coat rack.

"Mads?" he called out again. "I'm home!"

Maddie heard Ethan come in and grabbed her already soggy tissue and dabbed at her eyes. "I'm in here," she called softly.

"You wouldn't believe the day..." Ethan started to say but he stopped in the walkway when he saw how dark the flat was. Maddie was curled up in a ball on the sofa. "Mads?"

Maddie looked up and at the concerned look on his face burst into tears again.

Ethan quickly walked over to her. "Maddie, sweetheart...what is it?"

"Oh Ethan," Maddie reached for him. "It was so awful."

He wrapped her up in his arms wondering what could have her in such a state. "Did something happen?"

She nodded into his shoulder. "You know how last summer I always said I was scared of the day when I had a vision and I couldn't help in time? It happened today."

Ethan patted her back. "Oh, Maddie. What happened?"

"It was a guy in Manchester," Maddie said, her voice quavering. "He was getting beaten up by some men in robes- I couldn't see any of their faces. It took them hours to track down the location and by then... it was too late." she sobbed. "I should have tried harder to get more details. I should have tried harder to figure out where he was so I could have saved him!"

Ethan hadn't seen her like this since that day on the beach in Brighton. "Maddie, you did everything you could."

"But I could have done more," she insisted.

Ethan hugged her tightly. "Sweetheart, you're still learning. This is all still so new to you. You're not going to be able to save everyone."

Maddie didn't reply for a moment. "Will you just hold me?" she asked quietly.

"Of course," he whispered wishing he could do something more. He hated to see her like this.

"Smythe told me I shouldn't take this so personal," Maddie admitted several minutes later as she wiped at her eyes again. "But I just can't help it. Someone died today and I saw it happen- and I couldn't stop it from happening."

Ethan nodded. "I know it couldn't have been easy. Mads, you have the biggest heart of anyone I know."

"Sometimes a blessing, sometimes a curse," Maddie said dryly. "Today it was the biggest curse imaginable."

"I don't know what this could have been like for you," he said softly. "I remember when I was a kid and I wanted to hear my dad talk about what he'd done to defeat Voldemort. To this day, he feels guilty for those people he couldn't save, Maddie."

"Really?" she asked, dabbing at her eyes again.

Ethan nodded. "But you know my dad's only human. And so are you."

"Your dad's done so much," Maddie said, pulling away to reach for a new tissue. "And I feel like I did so little..."

"That's not true," Ethan said. "You've already saved a number of people."

Maddie considered his words a moment. "You're right," she said softly. "I guess I'm letting the bad outweigh the good."

"Yes you are," he said giving her a soft kiss.

Maddie relished the feel of his lips against hers. "I'm sorry," she whispered.

"You don't have to apologise," he said with a laugh. "Maddie, you had a really tough day."

"What about yours?" she asked, reaching over to light up the room. "It's bound to have been better than mine right?"

"Well not exactly," he said with a frown. "My first big case didn't go exactly as I hoped it would."

"What happened?" Maddie asked.

Ethan sighed feeling that his problem was nowhere near as big as Maddie's. "I just missed something I shouldn't have. It was right there in front of me and I just wanted to prove myself to Lupin, to my Dad. And what did I do? I missed something a trainee could have found."

"I'm sorry," Maddie said sympathetically. "But everyone makes mistakes right?"

"Exactly," he said smiling at her. "I think you and I both need to remember that. We're both still learning."

Maddie smiled back at him. "You've made me feel so much better," she said, leaning against him.

"How about we go out to eat?" he asked. "It might do you some good to get out. And you know Frankie's alone since Will's out of town on that research trip. We could ask her to come with."

"Sure," Maddie toyed with a lock of her hair. "I need some time to freshen up though. I must look just awful what with crying all afternoon."

"You look beautiful," he said. "But how about you go and splash some water on your face and I'll ring Frankie and ask her to meet us at the restaurant. How do you feel about Chinese?"

"That sounds fine," Maddie leaned in and kissed him. "I love you so much Ethan."

"Love you too Mads," he said glad to see her smiling again.

Maddie went in and changed her jumper and tied her hair back and then splashed some cool water on her face. She rubbed her eyes and stared at her reflection in the mirror.

The images of what she'd seen and how she hadn't been able to prevent that man's death flashed in her head. She tried to remember what Ethan had said. She was only human and perhaps with time she'd learn not to take these things so personal.

She jumped when he poked his head into the bathroom. "Sorry," she said. "I'm a little jumpy today."

"It's going to be okay, Maddie," he said coming up behind her and resting his forehead on her shoulder. "You'll see."

"I know," she said softly. "We'll work through these problems together right?"

"Right," he said kissing her cheek. "You ready to go sweetheart?"

"I think so," Maddie hugged him hard.

He held her for a few moments wishing he could do something to take her pain away.

"I shouldn't be hanging on this when you've had such a bad day as well," Maddie said.

"Maddie," he said pulling away to look at her. "I want you to tell me about these things. We should be able to go to each other when we've had a bad day. I want to be there for you. And you can talk about this with me anytime you want."

New tears filled her eyes at his words. "This is why I'm so happy I've moved in with you," she said. "I need you so much Ethan."

He wiped a tear from her cheek. "I need you too Maddie. More than you know."

She leaned in and pressed her lips to his again, pouring some rather heated passion in their kiss.

"Mads," he said in between kisses. "As...much...as...I'd...like to...."

"Just a few more minutes of this," she said breathlessly, her arms around his middle. "It feels so good Ethan."

Who was he to argue with this, he thought trailing kisses down her neck. Frankie could wait.

Maddie's eyes closed as Ethan lifted her onto the counter; their lips met again in heated, lazy kisses.

He whispered that he loved her over and over in between kisses. His hands moved under her shirt eager to feel her soft, warm skin.

Her breath was nothing but a gasp as his fingers brushed the underside of her breasts. She reached for his hands and guided them up so he was cupping her completely.

"Maddie," he breathed.

"Please Ethan," she said, her lips skimming over his.

"What are you saying?" he asked in surprise. "Are you saying you want...?"

"I just want you to touch me," Maddie said, her forehead against his while her eyes closed. "Feel me Ethan."

Ethan kissed her hungrily willing to do anything she wanted.

Maddie let his fingers slip into her bra and toy with her, her eyes squeezed shut as thrilling sensations literally made her body jerk against his. "Oh my..." she said weakly.

Ethan knew though that if they continued like this, he wouldn't be able to stop. With every ounce of willpower he could muster, he pulled away from her.

Maddie was breathing heavily as she gazed at him from where she still sat on the countertop. "Ethan," she said softly.

"I'm sorry," he said still trying to catch his breath.

"That was..." she was struggling for words.

"Amazing," he finished for her.

Maddie nodded. "It makes me want to say forget what I told you in Brighton last year." she shook her head. "But at the same time... it makes me know that my wedding night will be that much better."

"It will be," he promised.

Maddie slid off the counter. "We should get going," she said, smoothing her hair back.

"Aye," he said kissing her forehead. "We wouldn't want to make Frankie mad."

"Especially after everything she's done for us here," Maddie agreed.

"You mean her extreme makeover of my flat?" he asked. "She reminds me of a bloody hurricane. She swept in and did her damage and the place was never the same..."

"But you love it because you know I like it right? Maddie asked with a smile.

"Anything that makes you happy," he said. "Makes me happy."

Maddie hugged him again. "All right let's go- I'm suddenly starving."

"Spoken like a true Weasley," he teased.

"That's what I am," Maddie said with a grin.

Ethan and Maddie quickly bundled up in their cloaks and headed out for the restaurant. They were not surprised to see Frankie waiting for them just inside the restaurant talking on her mobile phone.

"No, you have to hang up first!" she was laughing. "Will!!"

"I didn't know they were one of those annoying couples who did sickeningly sweet stuff like that," Ethan whispered to Maddie.

"It's cute," Maddie said in their defence.

"I've got to go," Frankie said into her phone. "No, they just got here...don't know...don't know....okay...."

Ethan rolled his eyes. "Just hang the bloody thing up already."

Frankie glared at him. "Okay Will. Love you. Bye!"

She clicked off her phone and stuck it back into her bag. "I don't think that was necessary. You two kept me waiting for nearly half an hour."

"We're sorry," Maddie apologised. "It's just been a rather rough day for both of us and we're glad you could meet us on such short notice."

"I'm glad you wanted to do something," Frankie said giving Maddie a hug.

"How are you holding while Will's out of town?" Maddie asked.

"Come on Mads, didn't you hear?" Ethan asked. "You hang up!" he imitated a falsetto voice. "No YOU hang up first!"

Frankie glared at him again. "Shut it Ethan."

"Ethan," Maddie elbowed him. "Be nice now- this WAS your idea after all."

"Right," Ethan said nodding. "How about we get a table then? I'm famished."

"Sure," Frankie agreed. "I'm famished too. I was just about to go over and beg my dad to make me something because I was too lazy to cook tonight."

"Us too," Maddie agreed following Frankie into the restaurant so they could get a table.

"You okay?" Frankie asked, peering at her friend. "Your eyes are all red."

The smile on Maddie's face fell. "I had a bit of a hard day. Something happened at work..."

"What?" Frankie asked as they sat down.

Maddie tried to keep her emotions in check as she explained to Frankie what had happened.

"Oh Maddie," Frankie said. "I'm so sorry..."

"Ethan's told me that I can't always expect to save everyone," Maddie said softly.

"Although it pains me to say this," Frankie said. "He's right."

Maddie gave a small smile. "It's the first time this has happened, and I've been doing this for almost a year now."

"You've helped so many people though in such a short amount of time," Frankie told her. "And I admire you so much for how you've handled all of it. If it'd been me, I'd have run a mile."

"Thanks," Maddie's smile grew more genuine. "That makes me feel a lot better."

"How about I go up and order for us?" Ethan asked. "What do you two want?"

"Vegetable Lo Mein," Frankie chimed in. "Oh and get me two egg rolls, too!"

"I'll have whatever you're having," Maddie said to him and Ethan smiled at her and went to place their order. "So..." she wanted to get the topic off her day. "Have you decided what day we're going to go shopping for our dress robes for your wedding?"

"I'd like all of my bridesmaids to go with me," Frankie said. "But it's so hard to coordinate all your schedules. Alicia's the most difficult."

"What does she do?" Maddie asked.

Frankie laughed. "Not much of anything to tell the truth. Mind you, she doesn't have to. Her parents are loaded. She basically shops all day and parties all night."

"Sounds like a nice life," Maddie replied.

"I used to think so," Frankie said. "Don't get me wrong I still love a good party, but there's more to life than that. Alicia thinks I've lost my mind."

"Now that you have Will," Maddie nodded. "It's the same way I felt when Ethan finally told me he loved me."

Frankie grinned. "It's great, isn't it?"

"It's a wonderful feeling," Maddie said, playing with her hair.

"It definitely is," Frankie agreed. She looked across the restaurant and saw some girl staring at them. "Maddie? Don't look behind you, but there's some strange girl watching us..."

"What?" Maddie sat up straight and turned around. "Oh no..." she faced Frankie again. "Jackie Carlin." she rubbed her eyes. "I didn't think my day could get worse..."

"Who is Jackie Carlin?" Frankie started to ask, but the girl was already walking in their direction. It seemed she was about to find out.

"Well Madeline," Jackie sidled up to their table. "We meet again..."

"Yes," Maddie said her normally warm blue eyes cool and dark. "How exciting."

"I'm Frankie Longbottom," Frankie said offering the girl her hand. "And you are?"

"Jackie," the girl tossed her brown hair. "Jacqueline actually."

"Pleasure to meet you Josephine," Frankie said purposely getting the girl's name wrong. She didn't know how this girl and Maddie knew each other, but she knew from the way Maddie was looking at her, there was no love lost between them.

"So I see you're not here with Ethan," Jackie turned her back on Frankie and looked smugly at Maddie.

"As if it's any concern of yours," Maddie said icily. "He's ordering our food."

"Why shouldn't she be here with Ethan?" Frankie asked. "They are dating after all. Living together, if you must know the truth."

"Living together?" Jackie asked looking sympathetically at Maddie. "And you're not engaged are you?"

"Not yet," Maddie twisted her hand to show off the ring Ethan had given her on New Year's Eve. "But we plan to be married in a few years."

"How about you Josephine?" Frankie asked. "Do you have a boyfriend? Or is there no one that desperate?"

"Excuse me?" Jackie turned to Frankie.

"You just seem awfully interested in Maddie's love life," Frankie said looking at Jackie. "You must not have a life of your own."

"Maybe because she's with a guy she doesn't deserve," Jackie hissed.

"And who should he be with?" Frankie asked angrily. "You?"

"Why not?" Jackie asked breezily.

"How much time do you have?" Frankie asked.

"What?" Jackie looked confused.

"Let's see," Frankie said thoughtfully. "For one thing, you're not Ethan's type. For another, you've got fat ankles. Oh, and the biggest reason of all? You're nowhere near the person that Madeline Weasley is and you never will be."

Maddie stared at Frankie for a moment before turning away to hide her laughter.

"You are a despicable human," Jackie glared at Frankie.

"Thank you," Frankie said smiling sweetly at her. "I take that as a compliment from you. Now run along Josephine. We're quite busy and important."

Maddie gave Jackie a sugary smile. "It was nice as always to see you," she said, her words laced with false sweetness. "We don't want to keep you."

Jackie looked positively livid.

"Bye bye," Frankie said waving her hand at her.

Ethan chose that particular moment to return. "All right, food will be up soon." he said, oblivious to the third girl standing there.

Jackie contemplated saying something to Ethan, but she didn't want to be embarrassed in front of him. Without another word, she went back to her table.

"The nerve of that girl!" Frankie exclaimed.

"She really doesn't know when to give up," Maddie shook her head.

"What a complete cow!" Frankie said causing Ethan to laugh.

"That was that one girl that you got mad at in the cafeteria right?" he asked his girlfriend.

"Jackie," Maddie replied nodding. "That was her."

"Apparently she thinks she's your ideal woman," Frankie said rolling her eyes at Ethan. "I told her what was what though."

"My ideal woman is sitting right here," Ethan grinned at Maddie.

Frankie giggled. "Now who's being all sweet and sappy?"

"Can you say no to this face?" Ethan asked, touching Maddie's cheek.

"Not many people can," Frankie admitted remembering how Maddie could get anyone to do her bidding when she was little.

"I don't quite have the charm I had when I was younger," Maddie said, tearing her gaze away from Ethan's.

"Now you're just being modest," Frankie told her friend.

"She's lost her charm but she got sexier," Ethan teased.

"And most importantly got me as her new best friend," Frankie said smugly.

Maddie grinned at hearing that. "I'm just happy I have friends and family that care about me as much as I care about them." she said simply.

"Here, here!" Frankie agreed.

"Ah, food," Ethan said. "Now I'm famished." the Chinese dishes smelled delicious.

They all eagerly tucked into their food and Maddie felt much better in the company of the man she loved and Frankie.

53. Chapter 53

Authors' Note: We know this is going to disappoint a few of you but RJ and Saffron are going to remain just friends. We toyed with the idea of them getting together too, but we are glad that we went this route and we hope that you give Alexa a chance. And don't fret too much for Saffron; she's not going to be lonely. In this chapter, you get to see more of Chiaki and Toshio as they prepare for their twins' arrival and Toshio deals with Chiaki's pregnancy. And you also get to see more of the Malfoys (Nick, Julie, Katie and Ashley). Hope you enjoy, and as always….please read and review!"

"Chi that's so adorable!" Julie squealed as her best friend held up the new infant robes that Cho had bought earlier that day.

"Best part is, once the two are born, I can charm them to be the colours I want." Chiaki said happily. "So if I have two boys, I can make them blue, or yellow, or pink if they're girls. Or I'm even thinking purple- I like that better than pink."

"I had a set like those before I had Katie," Julie remembered. "Those are so adorable Chi. I cannot wait to meet your babies. Only a few more weeks..."

"I know," Chiaki said. "I'm so excited but I'm so nervous too. I mean, I'm going to be a mother!"

Julie laughed. "You're going to be fine. You've had lots of practise over the years. You helped your mum with Frankie and Allie. And you've babysat for my girls."

"And you'll be here to help me right?" Chiaki set the robes back in the dresser. "I don't know what I'd do without you Jules."

"Of course I will," Julie said giving her friend a hug, not an easy task due to Chiaki's large stomach.

"And you've really gone all out with this shower you're having for me on Saturday," Chiaki continued, tears welling up in her eyes. "You really are the bestest friend in the world."

Julie grinned. Toshio had warned her that Chiaki was crying at the drop of a hat these days, but she'd had no idea it was this bad. She could remember feeling the same way both times she was pregnant. "You did the same for me, remember?"

"Yes I remember," Chiaki reached for a tissue. "I just can't believe it's almost here. I'm really going to have twins in less than a month."

Julie smiled and looked around the nursery. They'd decided to paint the walls a pale yellow and there were two identical cribs set up against the wall. Little stars and moons adorned the walls and ceiling. "Frankie help you with this?"

"Yeah," Chiaki wiped her eyes. "She's been absolutely fantastic, you know that?"

"She really does have a good eye," Julie said. "And she's grown up quite a bit in the last few months."

"Especially since she got engaged," Chiaki grinned. "Will's really fantastic. I'm so happy for her. We were all worried she'd wind up with a real jerk but instead she winds up with one of the nicest guys imaginable."

"Do you remember her at my wedding?" Julie asked. "Dancing with every boy in sight?"

"Yes," Chiaki laughed as they went into the sitting room. "Seemed she'd never settle down."

"What's this about settling down?" Toshio asked from his perch on the sofa.

"Your sister-in-law," Julie said patting him on the head. "I have never seen you just relaxing on a sofa. What's gotten into you?"

"I'm taking advantage of the calm before the storm," Toshio grinned.

"I still think you should hang around for the shower on Saturday," Julie said. "What could be more exciting than sitting around with over 25 women oohing and ahhing over gifts?"

"I can think of so many things Jules," Toshio replied sarcastically. "My mates are taking me out and we're going to hit up some pubs."

"By mates, I assume my husband is included in that group?" Julie asked.

"You know it," Toshio replied lazily, stretching his legs out on the coffee table.

"Tosh, I dusted that table a half hour ago," Chiaki said glaring at him. "Don't put your legs on it, please."

"Chi I have trousers on," Toshio said.

"Move your legs now," Chiaki hissed at him. "Please."

Toshio glanced at Julie who shrugged. "Fine I'll go into the bedroom. Can I lie down in there or did you dust the bed too?"

"Don't be silly," she said smiling sweetly at him. "You can't dust a bad, smartarse. But I did wash the linens yesterday so please be extra careful..."

Toshio rolled his eyes and got off the sofa. "You're lucky I love you as much as I do."

"I feel the same way," Chiaki called out to him as left the room.

"When did you turn into such a neat freak?" Julie asked.

"I don't know," Chiaki said, moving some magazines over a bit. "Just recently I guess."

"With all this free time on your hands," Julie teased.

"I am going a bit mad not working," Chiaki confessed. "I've always had something to do but now I just feel like all I do is sit on my arse all day."

"In about a month, you'll be wishing you could sit on your arse all day," Julie told her. "Those babies are going to keep you running..."

"I know and I can't wait," Chiaki laughed.

"You say that now," Julie joked.

"When I saw Ashley and Katie the other day Ashley told me she can't wait to baby sit," Chiaki grinned. "Eight years old and already the entrepreneur."

"I told her she was too young to baby sit," Julie said laughing. "Trust her to go behind my back..."

"Well I sort of told her she could," Chiaki said sheepishly. "But only if you or Nick or Greta was around to help her."

"Good idea," Julie said. "See? That's totally a mum decision to make. You're one step ahead already."

"Thanks Jules," Chiaki said. Her eyes filled with tears again. "Oh my God. In just a few weeks I'm going to be a mum!"

Julie handed her friend a tissue. "Yes you are. And you're going to be fantastic."

"Thank goodness for you," Chiaki bawled. "And Allison's been wonderful about giving me things that Caroline and Emma have outgrown in case I have a girl, or two. And Frankie with helping me in the nursery."

"And your mum for buying you all those clothes for the babies," Julie chimed in.

Chiaki nodded. "I'm so happy and I don't even know why I'm crying!"

"It's a good thing," Julie told her. "You just wait until they put those two adorable little babies in your arms."

"You'll be in the waiting room right?" Chiaki asked. "I want you there Jules."

"I'd like to see them try to keep me away," Julie said. "I'll be there Chi."

"Thank you," Chiaki hugged her friend as tightly as she could again. "I should let you get back to that handsome husband of yours, brother of mine and your own two little ones."

"Right," Julie said standing up. "And don't be too hard on Tosh, Chi."

"I won't," Chiaki promised.

"Bye Tosh!" Julie called out hoping she didn't wake him. Knowing him he was probably taking a kip. Her two friends had spent most of their lives working hard in their dance careers. She was very happy for them that they were taking it easy while they could. Before too long, taking it easy wouldn't be an option.

Chiaki waddled into the bedroom, hoping her husband was still awake. His eyes were closed but she could tell by the way he was breathing that he wasn't asleep. "My feet hurt," she whined, sitting on her side of the bed.

"Maybe it was all that cleaning you've been doing," Toshio said keeping his eyes closed. He knew what she was after, but he wasn't going to make it easy on her.

"Toshio," Chiaki dragged out the sound of his name. "Please will you rub my feet?" she pleaded.

Toshio sighed and got up. "Since you said the magic words..."

"I love you," Chiaki said, her head falling against the pillows. "And I'm carrying your babies."

Toshio sat down on the edge of the bed and gently lifted Chiaki's feet onto his lap. He began to massage her toes. "How's that?"

Chiaki let out a moan loud enough to rattle the windowpanes.

He laughed. "You always did like it when I did this."

"That feels bloody amazing," Chiaki said.

"I shouldn't be doing this with how terrible you've been treating me," he teased. "But your dad told me that it was all part of having a pregnant wife."

"Tosh," Chiaki cracked her eyes open. "You know I love you more than anything right?"

"I know," he said continuing to rub her feet.

"You know I don't mean to treat you badly right?" Chiaki went on.

"I know," he repeated.

"You can put your feet on the coffee table if you want to," Chiaki said in a small voice.

He looked up at her in surprise. "Really?"

"Remind me I said that if I start crabbing at you again," she grinned at him.

"Okay," he said grinning back. "I'll hold you to that."

"I want a kiss," Chiaki said as he rubbed over the bottoms of her feet.

"You didn't say the magic word," Toshio reminded her.

"Please?" Chiaki pushed her lower lip out.

Toshio smiled and leaned forward. "I love you Chi."

Chiaki smiled in satisfaction as her husband gave her a rather thorough kiss. "Our babies are happy right now," she said, grabbing his hand and placing it on her stomach.

"Of course they are," Toshio said smiling at her wife. "I can't wait to meet them."

"What do you think?" Chiaki asked as he put his arms around her. "Two boys, two girls, or one of each?"

"As long as they're happy and healthy, I'll be happy either way," he replied.

"I kind of hope we have one of each," Chiaki said, closing her eyes. "I mean, whatever we have, I'll love like nothing else on this planet of course..." she sighed. "Just a few weeks Tosh. That's it."

"And we'll have that family we've always talked about," he said kissing the side of her head.

"One big dancing family," she laughed.

Meanwhile, Julie let herself into the house and could hear a loud commotion coming from the kitchen. It couldn't be Greta because she and Nick had given her the week off. She walked into the kitchen to see both her girls wearing aprons and covered in flour. Nick was supervising.

"Mummy!" Katie called out. "Daddy's teaching us how to make pizza!"

Julie laughed. "Doesn't your daddy remember how easier and neater it is to pick up the phone and order pizza?"

"But we thought this would be more fun!" Ashley grinned at her mother.

Julie chuckled and walked further into the kitchen. It looked very much like a disaster area.

"We're needing to dough," Katie explained.

Ashley rolled her eyes. "We're kneading the dough. K-n-e-a-d-i-n-g, Katherine."

"Shut up Ashley," Katie glared at her sister.

"Girls," Nick warned. "Come on, this is supposed to be fun."

"Right Daddy," Katie said. "I get to put the sauce on Mummy!"

"I get to put the toppings on," Ashley chimed in.

"Greta would freak if she saw her kitchen like this," Julie told her husband.

"That's why she's not going to," Nick said with a grin, giving his wife a kiss.

"You're going to get flour all over me," she giggled. His hair was dusted with flour and it made him look prematurely grey.

"Guess that means I'll have to clean you off in the shower later," he murmured huskily in her ear.

"We'll see," Julie said giving him a kiss on the cheek before going over to the icebox to get herself a soda.

"How's Auntie Chiaki?" Katie asked.

"She's fine," Julie answered. "Very ready to have those babies."

"Me too," Ashley said taking her rolling pin and rolling it over the dough. This was the part she liked best.

"Ashley!" Katie said in dismay. "Daddy told me I could make it flat!”

"He did not!" Ashley shot back. "You got to stir the dough. He told me I could make it flat."

"Girls," Nick said. "This is the last time all right?"

Ashley and Katie fell silent, but they couldn't resist staring daggers at each other. Julie had a feeling Ashley was picturing Katie's face as she flattened the dough.

"You know when Ethan and I were growing up we never fought like the two of you," Julie commented. "Of course, there was a big difference in our ages, but still…"

"You're thirteen years older than Uncle Ethan, Mum," Ashley pointed out as she finished rolling the dough.

"True," Julie said nodding. "And it helped that by the time he got to be a right pest, I'd already moved out of the house."

"So Aunt Saffy gets all the teasing," Ashley giggled. "Is she going to come over a lot like she did last summer?"

"I hope so," Julie said. "She's also going to want to spend a lot of time with Grandpa and Grandma."

"Grandpa Robert's doing a lot better," Ashley said, moving aside as Nick helped Katie spread sauce over the dough.

Julie smiled. Her grandfather certainly was doing much better. He'd even been given the go ahead to play a few light rounds of golf. But he'd refused to go out without Saffron and they'd make tentative plans to go on her Easter holiday.

"I was thinking we might go and visit Grandma and Grandpa this weekend," Julie suggested. "I'm sure they'd love to see you girls."

"That sounds like fun Mummy," Ashley said, wrapping her little arms around Julie's waist.

"Yes it does," Julie said hugging her daughter. "And I for one cannot wait to try your pizza."

"Daddy said we have to put green peppers on it just like you love," Ashley grinned. "And I want pepperoni."

"I want what mummy's having," Katie said.

"You don't like peppers," Ashley pointed out. "You said they were gross."

"Well I like them now," Katie argued.

Julie sighed. "Looks like Katie's finished with the sauce, Ash. Time for you to do the toppings. Katie, why don't you help me set the table?"

"That's not any fun," Katie grumbled.

"All right," Nick said. "Ashley, you do your half of the pizza, and then while Katie's doing her half, you'll finish setting the table with your mum."

"Okay," Ashley said sprinkling some cheese on her half of the pizza.

"Your dad stopped by earlier," Nick told Julie.

"He did?" Julie asked, pulling some plates down. "What for?"

"To see us," Katie said as if this answer should have been obvious.

"That was a big reason for it," Nick explained. "But he also wanted to talk to you. Apparently, Hogwarts is at him again to be a professor."

"Really," Julie said. "With as many times as he's turned them down-"

"He'd be there with Auntie Saffy," Katie said. "That'd be cool!"

"And he'd be there when we were there," Ashley said. She wished she'd known this when her grandfather was here. She could have talked to him about it.

"He doesn't want to take it," Nick said. "He wants to know if you'd be interested at all." he looked at his wife.

"Me?" Julie asked taken aback.

"He said it was just an idea," Nick replied.

"I never really thought about teaching there," Julie said sitting down. "I kind of like being ordinary Mrs. Malfoy who teaches at this Muggle primary school."

"You've never been ordinary," Nick teased. "At least not in my eyes."

Julie beamed at him. "Thanks sweetheart."

"Here go Mum and Dad getting all romantic again," Ashley said to Katie, rolling her eyes.

Katie giggled as her father leaned down and kissed their mother. "They're snogging too!"

"Ewwwwwww," both Malfoy girls laughed.

"Eww?" Julie asked rushing over to Katie and wrapping her arms around her daughter. She planted kisses on the little girl's head over and over. "How's that for ewwwwww?"

"Mummy!" Katie was laughing so hard she spilled her handful of cheese on the floor.

Nick picked Ashley up and swung her around.

"Daddy!" Ashley squealed. "Put me down!"

"My little girl doesn't like being danced with?" Nick teased her.

"I do, but we're trying to make the pizza!" Ashley giggled.

"So once the pizza's in the oven I get to dance with one of the three most beautiful girls in the world?" Nick asked, his grey eyes teasing.

"Yes," Ashley promised.

"All right," Nick set his oldest daughter down.

Julie started setting the table and after she'd finished her half of the pizza, Ashley helped finish. Nearly a half hour later, the Malfoy family set down to dinner. The pizza was a little burnt, but Julie proclaimed it the best meal she'd ever eaten.

"Mummy I like our side!" Katie said. She'd never had green peppers before but had enjoyed them.

"I do too sweetheart," Julie said. "You and your sister did a fabulous job."

"Maybe we can do this every week Ashley!" Katie said the animosity between the two sisters forgotten for now.

"Yeah!" Ashley agreed. "We can look through Greta's cookbooks and see what other recipes we want to make!"

"Wait just a minute," Julie laughed. "You'd better clear this with Greta before you two go doing anything in here. The kitchen is pretty much her domain."

"Greta doesn't mind," Ashley said. "We always help her out."

"Yes, well you should still clear it with her before you two hellions do something like this every week," Julie said motioning around the kitchen.

"And you two are on active clean up duty as well," Nick pointed at his daughters.

"Can't you just wave your wand or something," Katie whined. "We'll never clean this up!"

Julie grinned at her husband. "Oh come on Nick. They did such a great job making our dinner tonight, the least we could do is clean up for them."

"Okay," Nick said. "But you two should at least go clean up your rooms, especially you Katie. It's a right mess."

"But I still know where everything is Daddy," Katie said charmingly.

"Yes, but we can't walk in there," Julie said. "It's either the kitchen or your room, Katie. Your choice."

Katie pouted. "I guess I'll clean up my room," she muttered.

"Good answer," Julie said.

"My room's not dirty Daddy," Ashley reminded him.

"So that means you want to clean up the kitchen?" Nick asked, feigning innocence.

"Maybe I'll help Katie with hers," Ashley said grabbing her sister by the hand. "Let's go before they change their minds, Katie."

"Okay Ashley," Katie said as the two girls scampered away.

"Nice touch there Nicholas," Julie laughed.

"I try," he said gathering up their plates. "So you really don't want to go after that Hogwarts job?"

"Oh I don't know," Julie mused. "I never really thought about teaching at Hogwarts. I wouldn't want to be gone from you and the girls for almost the whole year."

"We wouldn't want that either," he said. "But you know if that was something you'd want to do, we'd find someway to make it work."

"I would need some time to really think about it," Julie said, setting the plates on the counter and winding her arms around Nick.

"And you love your job now," he said holding her close.

"I do," Julie answered softly. "But sometimes it would be nice to be able to use magic all the time."

"And you'd be there to make sure Saffy didn't get into too much trouble," Nick teased.

"As if my sister has any problems with that," Julie joked.

"I think you should talk to your parents about it too," Nick said. He knew that Julie rarely made any big decision without consulting her parents. "And you never know, your dad might have changed his mind too. You two could end up competing for the job."

Julie laughed. "Wouldn't that be the day?" she asked.

"Potter versus Malfoy," Nick said in a dramatic voice. "Just like the good old days..."

Julie poked his side. "I'm a good Malfoy," she said.

"I'll show you a good Malfoy," Nick said tickling her.

Julie laughed. "Stop it Nick!" she shrieked.

Nick grabbed her around the middle. "Or you'll what?"

Julie was laughing too hard to respond coherently.

"I can't hear you Jules," Nick said. "What was that?"

"Nicholas Tarrington," she gasped. "I- am- going to--"

"What?" Nick asked. "Hmm?"

"Kiss you," Julie finished as he finally let up.

"Bring it on," he said grinning at her.

"You sound like a bloody cheerleader," Julie smirked, bringing her lips to his.

Nick pulled her closer, deepening the kiss. Neither of them heard footsteps on the stairs. Katie and Ashley had finished cleaning upstairs and wanted to show their parents their handwork.

"Mum--" Katie started to say but Ashley clamped her hand over her mouth.

"See what happens when we leave them alone?" Ashley said shaking her head.

*** *** ***

The conditions were hardly ideal for Quidditch. It was quite cold and the forecast called for snow. Saffron cuddled up under her fleece Gryffindor blanket beside Alexa. The match was scheduled to begin in a few minutes time and despite the cold weather, it seemed like most of the school had turned out.

"It's positively freezing out here," Alexa said, her teeth chattering.

"I know," Saffron said. "We should never have entrusted Mimi and Beth with getting hot chocolate. I bet those two have no intention of coming back out."

"Idiots," Alexa said, pulling the blanket tighter. "The only reason I'm out here right now is because of R.J.."

"The things we do for love," Saffron teased nudging her friend.

"I am not in love," Alexa nudged her back.

"You're well on your way," Saffron said. "I saw the two of you at breakfast this morning. Giving each other the goo-goo eyes."

"He was not," Alexa blushed. "We like each other. And mind you, a month ago I thought that I'd never be in this position."

Saffron nodded. It was over a month ago, when it was she who was in this position.

"You know," Alexa began tentatively. "I've been meaning to ask you something..."

"What's that?" Saffron asked curiously.

"Well..." Alexa tucked her hair behind her ears. "I know that you and R.J. were having those um... issues a month ago... when you guys kissed. And I just wanted to know if you're really okay with me and him being together..."

"R.J. and me are just friends Lex," Saffron told her. "If I wasn't okay with this, do you really think I'd have played matchmaker?"

"I suppose not," Alexa wrinkled her nose. "But Saffy, do you really think he likes me? This isn't all just a big game?"

"You know R.J.'s not like that," Saffron told her. "He's not into playing games like that. And I saw the way he was looking at you this morning."

Her words sent a thrill through Alexa's body. "Really?" she grinned.

"Really you daft girl," Saffron said laughing.

Alexa grinned. "He hasn't told me what we're doing today after the game." she said.

"Maybe he's going to take you to the Room of Requirement," Saffron joked. "Or the Astronomy Tower!"

"Saffron!" Alexa pushed her. "Stop it!"

"Look!" Saffron said pointing to the sky where the Gryffindor team had taken to the sky. "There's your boyfriend!"

Alexa trained her Omnioculars on the specks currently zig zagging across the field. "Yeah," she sighed. "He looks so good up there."

Saffron grinned. "Something tells me you're not just talking about his flying ability..."

"No, his snogging ability ranks right up there too," Alexa returned with a giggle.

"The truth comes out," Saffron joked. She looked on as the Gryffindor team continued to warm up. Next year, she had every intention to be right up there with them.

Alexa handed her friend her Omnioculars. "Want to borrow them for a bit?" she asked.

"Sure," Saffron said taking them from her friend.

"Next year I bet you'll be first to get picked for the team," Alexa said loyally. "What position are you most interested in?"

"Seeker," Saffron said without hesitation. "Just like my dad."

Alexa grinned. "Of course. How silly of me to think otherwise."

"He's going to work with me this summer," Saffron said already looking forward to it. "He knows how much I want to make the team."

"Your dad is so cool," Alexa said, staring up at the scarlet coloured fleck in the sky that she knew was R.J..

"He is," Saffron said proudly. "Hey Lex? I just had a great idea!"

"What?" Alexa asked, still focused on the sky.

"You should come and stay with us this summer," Saffron said. "At least for a couple of weeks. I know mum and dad would love to have you."

"You think?" Alexa asked. "That would be really fun. And I'll have my stupid braces off right after I come home so we can really go to town." she laughed.

"And you'll get to meet R.J.'s parents," Saffron said nudging her friend. "In fact, you should come to Brighton with us. Both of our families go nearly every summer."

"Brighton beach?" Alexa asked. "Oh... I'd have to ask." she was shy at the thought of R.J. seeing her in a swim costume.

"I know your parents would let you go," Saffron said. "Come on, Lex."

"I'll ask," Alexa said, butterflies in her stomach.

Saffron could tell something was holding her back. "What is it Lex? You can tell me anything, right? Are you nervous about meeting R.J.'s parents? Because you will never meet nicer people. They're going to love you."

"It's more or less," Alexa began, playing with her hair again. "Being alone with him. It's one thing here at Hogwarts. But away from school?"

"Kind of scary eh?" Saffron asked.

"Something like that," Alexa said, holding her breath as R.J. dived and hit a Bludger towards a Ravenclaw.

"DID YOU SEE THAT?" Saffron exclaimed. "Wow!"

"That was amazing," Alexa echoed.

They concentrated on the game for a few minutes before resuming their conversation from before.

"You have to go," Saffron said refusing to take no for an answer. "If you don't, I'll have to spend all my time with my nieces. Of course, if you do go, I'll still end up having to spend time with them. You and R.J. will be off snog--what? What is it, Lex?"

"We're not together like that yet," Alexa said softly. "I don't know what's going on between us Saffy."

"I know," Saffron said. "I'm sorry. I was jumping the gun a bit, I know. I'm already having you meet his parents, but I have such a good feeling about you two. I really do."

"I hope so," Alexa said fervently. "I really fancy him a lot Saffy."

"Talk to him tonight," Saffron told her. "See how he feels."

"You don't think it's too soon for that?" Alexa asked.

"I don't know," Saffron answered honestly. "I shouldn't be giving you love advice. I have no experience in that whatsoever."

"It won't be long before you do," Alexa said. "You're so pretty and you smile all the time now that your braces are off. A guy will sweep you off your feet before you know it."

Saffron shrugged. "I'm not so sure that's what I want, Lex. There are more important things to me right now. I want to keep my marks up and I want to make the team next year. I just don't see how I'd be able to fit a boyfriend in all that."

Alexa glanced sideways at her. "Knowing you, Saffron Potter, you'd find a way if a cute enough guy asked you out."

"We'll see," Saffron said pulling the blanket tighter around her.

"I really wish we had that hot chocolate," Alexa shivered.

"I'm going to kill Mimi and Beth," Saffron hissed.

"I'll hold them down for you," Alexa agreed. "They're bloody selfish."

"They're probably warm and cosy in the dorm," Saffron said shivering. "Reading those magazines they both love so much."

"Like I said," Alexa replied. "If it wasn't for R.J. I wouldn't be out here right now."

Luckily the game didn't last long. The Gryffindor seeker caught the golden snitch and won the game handily. Saffron and Alexa were looking forward to retreating to the warmth of the castle, but wanted to offer their congratulations to R.J.. They quickly made their way down onto the pitch and Saffron glared when she saw that R.J. had an audience. Christina and her cronies were gathered around him.

"She has some nerve," Saffron said angrily. "Our team just beat the trousers off of hers and she's fawning..."

Alexa hung back, feeling shy and unsure once more. Christina, as horrid as she was, was really quite pretty and she didn't feel like she compared to the older girl. "Saffy maybe we should just say something to him in the common room," she said.

"I don't think so---" Saffron said ready to go and tell that girl what she thought of her when to her horror Christina kissed R.J. in front of everyone. What's more, R.J. didn't seem to be resisting. Saffron turned to say something to Alexa, but her friend was already running back toward the castle.

Saffron's face turned red in anger and she marched up to the crowd. "Ronald Bilius Weasley Junior how dare you!" she shouted.

Christina giggled. "Oh look Junior, your Mum's here."

"Chris, why'd you do that?" R.J. asked.

"Yeah, and why didn't you push her away?" Saffron demanded, giving the other girl a frosty glare.

"I was about to," R.J. spat back at Saffron. "Ease up Saffy. She took me by surprise."

"I was congratulating him for playing such a great game," Christina said putting her arm around him.

"Thanks, even though I beat your team," R.J. said, pulling away. "Chris, I told you we were over..."

"You didn't kiss me like we were over," Christina said pouting at him.

Saffron had just about enough. "You two deserve each other. I'm going to go and check on MY best friend. You remember her, don't you R.J.?"

"Saffy," R.J. ran after her as she marched across the field. "I'm not playing Alexa okay?"

"Right," Saffron said walking faster to try and get away from him. "She saw your little romantic scene by the way."

"Saffron!" R.J. said exasperatedly. "Will you lay off? She kissed me- I didn't kiss her!"

"You didn't push her away though did you?" Saffron asked him.

"Yeah I did!" R.J. said sarcastically. "I just couldn't at first. You think I'd ask Alexa out and then go snog someone else right in front of her? Bloody hell!"

Saffron stopped walking. That certainly didn't sound like the boy she'd grown up with. "Alexa really fancies you R.J.. She always has. "

"And I like her too okay?" R.J. said, still holding onto his broom. "I was looking for you guys when Christina and her stupid friends ambushed me back there."

"Then," Saffron said looking up at him. "Then, I think you need to tell her that."

"Fine," R.J. replied, jumping back on his broom and taking off for the castle. If he was lucky he'd be able to catch her before she disappeared into the girls’ dormitory.

Alexa wiped stubbornly at her eyes. How could she have been so stupid? To think someone like him would choose her over someone as pretty and popular as Christina. It was all a joke. She pulled her cloak tighter around her and was nearly up the steps to the castle when she heard someone calling out her name.

"LEX!" R.J. hollered as loud as he could as the driving snow stung his eyes. "Lex wait!"

Alexa turned her back on him and started back up the stairs again. What could he possibly want now?

"Lex!" R.J. flew in front of her and jumped off his broom. "Please wait- I need to tell you something."

"I know," Alexa said trying to sound calm. "I saw you on the---"

"She kissed me," R.J. explained. "I didn't kiss her- I didn't have a chance to push her away before you saw it."

"You pushed her away?" Alexa asked not sure whether she could or wanted to believe him.

"Yeah," R.J. took her hand as they went inside the castle. "Christina and I are over Lex. I wouldn't have asked you out if I was with another girl. I'm not that type of bloke."

"I wouldn't blame you if you wanted to get back with her," Alexa said. "She's pretty. She's your age. She's popular. And who am I? Just this plain girl..."

"You are not plain," R.J. said before she could finish. "And I'm only two years older than you are. That's not much of a difference." he grinned at her.

She couldn't help the small smile that broke across her face. "It doesn't matter to you then?"

"What? That you're not Christina?" he shook his head. "If you were, do you think I'd be here right now?" he touched her cheek. "I like you Lex. I like you a lot. Spending time with you this past week has only made me realise that more."

"I really like you too," she whispered.

He grinned again. "So does that mean I can kiss you so I can forget about what that girl on the field did to me?"

Alexa nodded and tilted her face upward toward him.

R.J. leaned in and sealed his lips across hers, ignoring his wet and cold Quidditch robes as he wound his arms around her right there in front of everyone.

Alexa felt breathless and dizzy when they pulled apart. She suddenly became aware that they had an audience and she blushed a bright red.

"Oh go on with you," R.J. said to the other students that were gathered around them gaping curiously. "You'd think you lot never saw a bloke with his girlfriend before."

"Girlfriend?" Alexa asked taken aback.

"Sure," R.J. said, looking back at her. "Well I guess I should ask. Do you want to be?"

"Very much," she answered softly.

R.J. dropped his broom and scooped her up around the waist, spinning her around a few times. "That's good to hear," he said, his blue eyes twinkling at her.

"You're crazy," she said giggling.

"You're the one who just agreed to go out with me," he laughed, kissing her again.

"I guess that would make us kindred spirits then," Alexa said softly.

"Aye," R.J. grinned, picking up his broom and taking her hand. "Well listen... I know I said we would do something by ourselves but now that we've won, there's going to be a party in the common room and--"

"You'd rather go to that," Alexa finished for him. "That's okay."

"I was actually hoping we could go together," R.J. finished. "And then maybe later, sneak off to the kitchens, or the Astronomy Tower." he grinned ruefully. "This school really isn't the best place to plan a date you know?"

She giggled. "No, it's not. I'd like that though. To go to the party...with you."

"Great," R.J. said as they walked along towards the tower. "I've really got to shower first. I would have done it in the locker room but I wanted to talk to you first."

"I'm glad you did," she said smiling shyly at him. "I shouldn't have ran off like I did."

R.J. shrugged. "I guess I can't blame you. I'd be a mite pissed if I saw that happen."

"Did Saffy let you have it?" Alexa asked already knowing very well that Saffron had.

"What are you kidding me?" R.J. laughed. "Scolded me right there in front of everyone."

Alexa laughed. "That sounds just like Saffy."

"Aye, she's a good friend." R.J. was too curious to stay silent any longer. "Say Lex, did she tell you anything about... what happened between her and me last week?"

Alexa had wondered when or if he'd bring this up. "She didn't have to. I-I kind of saw you."

"You did?" R.J. said in surprise.

"She'd been really out of sorts that whole day," Alexa explained. "And I was worried about her. I knew she was down in the common room studying and I thought she'd fallen asleep. When I came downstairs to get her, I saw you kissing her."

"Well you know there's nothing going on between us right?" R.J. said the password and the portrait door swung open. "I mean, I wouldn't have asked you out if I had any feelings for Saf."

"I know," Alexa said honestly.

"Okay," R.J. smiled at her.

"You should probably go and shower," Alexa said. "And I need to go and owl my parents. There's something I need to ask them."

"Is that your way of telling me I smell?" R.J. teased.

"Of course not," she said holding her nose.

"What?" R.J. nudged her side. "What are you saying Lex?"

She laughed. "I wasn't saying anything, honestly."

"Better not have been," R.J. took off one of his gloves and threw it at her.

"Oooh," she said catching it. "I'd sleep with this under my pillow if it didn't reek."

"You are so in for it O'Leary," R.J. said. "You just wait until I'm a famous Quidditch player and you're begging for things to keep under your pillow."

"I'll give an exclusive interview to the Prophet about how I used to date R.J. Weasley when he was all smelly and gross and stinky," she teased.

R.J. laughed. "We'll continue this when I come back down," he said in a mock threatening manner.

Looking back on it, she didn't know how she managed to muster up the courage to do what she did, but without thinking she stepped closer to him and looped her arms around his neck. "If I thought you were smelly, would I do this?" she asked before pressing her lips to his.

He was surprised at her boldness but he responded in kind, giving her quite the snog right there in front of the common room's occupants.

"I'll see you soon," Alexa whispered when they pulled apart. Suddenly spending part of the summer in Brighton with him didn't seem quite so scary. She just hoped her parents would agree.

"I'll be back in just a bit." he grinned at her before heading up to the showers.

Alexa went to her room and pulled a piece of parchment from her school bag. She was nearly finished with her letter when Saffron burst into the room.

"Okay," she said rounding on her. "I take it you and R.J. made up because the talk of the school and the common room is about how you and R.J. were snogging like there was no tomorrow."

Alexa grinned. "You heard correctly."

Saffron beamed at her. "And you won't have to worry about Christina. I don't think she'll be bothering you or R.J. again for quite some time."

"Why?" Alexa asked. "What did you do to her?"

"Me?" Saffron asked innocently. "I didn't do anything to her....really."

"Saffy!" Alexa laughed.

"I may have tripped her," Saffron admitted gleefully. "She was trying to run after R.J. and I stuck my leg out...it wasn't pretty."

"I should feel sorry her but for some reason... I really don't!" Alexa snorted.

"And I told her if she even thought of doing anything to you or R.J., I'd hex her with permanent spots," Saffron continued. "I think that takes care of your Christina problem."

"I think so too," Alexa hugged her best friend. "Thank you so much Saffy. You're really the best."

Saffron hugged her back. "You are my best friend, Lex. If someone messes with you, they mess with me."

"And vice versa," Alexa laughed. "Not that I'm as daring as you or anything..."

"You're just as brave as I am," Saffron told her. "You just don't give yourself enough credit. There's a reason the Sorting Hat put you in Gryffindor."

"I suppose snogging R.J. in the common room might be a valid excuse," Alexa grinned at her friend.

"That could do it," Saffron teased. "And what's that you're writing?"

"A note to my parents," Alexa replied, folding it up.

"You're asking them about Brighton aren't you?" Saffron asked. "Please tell me you are!"

"Of course I am," Alexa said brightly. "I can't very well miss two parent free weeks away with my boyfriend can I?"

"You wouldn't want to do---hang on," Saffron said. "Did you just say your boyfriend?"

"R.J. asked me to be his girlfriend down right when we got inside," Alexa's cheeks were starting to hurt but she couldn't stop grinning.

"I told you so!" Saffron said giving her another hug. "This is fantastic!"

"I'm so happy right now," Alexa admitted. "I never, ever thought this could happen to me. And with R.J. of all people!"

Saffron was genuinely happy for her best friend and couldn't remember a time when she'd seen her like this. "I do feel I should warn you about something. R.J.'s told you about his two brothers right? You can look forward to all sorts of teases and taunts when you get to Brighton, but don't take it seriously. That's just how they are. If they treat you like that, it just means they like you."

"Okay," Alexa said. "Thanks for the warning." she giggled.

"And you already know Maddie," Saffron said. "I cannot wait until she finds out about you two."

"Maddie's his sister right? Alexa asked. "He has so many brothers and sisters..."

"Maddie's one of his sisters," Saffron explained. "And then there's Drew and Darla, his twin sisters. And Josh and Jon of course. Josh and his wife Lizzy are going to have a baby and Jon and his wife Allie have two little girls."

"Right," Alexa laughed. "Maddie’s the one dating your brother. Now I remember."

Saffron frowned at the mention of Ethan. "I still need to think of something really good to get back at him. Him and his big mouth!"

"Oh come on," Alexa went to change her jumper. "It wasn't that bad was it?"

"You don't have an older brother so you wouldn't understand," Saffron said sitting down on her bed. "He had no right to go blabbing to R.J. about something that wasn't even true. Don't get me wrong, Lex. He's my brother and I love him, but he's going to pay."

"What if he does something to make up for it?" Alexa fiddled with her red hair.

"There's nothing he could do to make up for this," Saffron said stubbornly. "Nothing."

"I guess I'm in too good a mood to think of anything bad right now," Alexa said, gazing at her reflection in the mirror.

"Don't worry," Saffron said. "I'll think of something really good. You just enjoy your boyfriend."

Alexa laughed. "You're next Saffy. We need to find someone for you to hook up with so we can double!"

"I'm fine on my own," Saffron said. "I told you, I've got way too much on my plate to worry about dating right now."

Alexa smiled. "You're coming to the party downstairs right? Not too busy for that?"

"Of course not," Saffron said. "I wouldn't miss that."

"I'm going down to wait for R.J.," Alexa said.

"I'm going to get changed and I'll meet you downstairs," Saffron promised. "If you want, I'll even run up to the owlery and post your letter."

"Thanks Saffy," Alexa said, addressing it to her parents and handing it to her friend. "That's really nice of you."

"No problem," Saffron said with a shrug. "I need to write my mum and dad too."

"Good idea," Alexa laughed.

"About what a wanker their son is," Saffron muttered.

"Didn't you send him a Howler the other day?" Alexa asked as she was about to leave the room.

"Yes I did," Saffron said. "And do you know he hasn't even sent me a letter to apologise? He probably thinks I'll get over it."

"Maybe he's waiting for you to cool down a bit. It was a week ago though," Alexa offered.

"Maybe," Saffron said quietly. "You go on ahead Lex. I'll see you in a few."

"Okay Saffy," Alexa disappeared down the stairs.

R.J. wasn't in the common room, but most of his team mates were and the party was already in full swing. Someone had brought their wireless downstairs and music filled the room. Beth and Mimi, her missing roommates were huddled in front of the fire. Alexa contemplated going over and asking them where they'd been all afternoon.

Instead of bothering with them, Alexa went over to a table in the corner and helped herself to a butterbeer that someone had obviously snuck back from Hogsmeade.

"There he is ladies and gentlemen!" one of the Gryffindor keepers, Jason Jones called out causing Alexa to turn around. "The star of the game. The reason we might win the House Cup for the third year in a row! The best..."

"Did you pay him to say all that?" another of R.J.'s team mates Andrew Kirke asked R.J..

"Why pay him to say the truth?" R.J. boasted with a grin.

"You do know there was a scout from the Cannons in the stands today, didn't you?" Andrew asked. "He came over and spoke to us afterwards but you took off..."

"Shite, was there really?" R.J. asked.

Jason nodded. "He thought you were brilliant of course. Said he was going to watch your progress."

R.J. looked like he'd been handed the key to Gringotts biggest vault. "That's bloody awesome!" he exclaimed.

"Just remember us little people when you make it big," Jason joked. "Send some of the girls you don't want to date our way."

"Speaking of girls I want to date," R.J. turned to see if Alexa had made it back down yet.

Alexa gave him a slight wave from the refreshment table. R.J. motioned for her to join them and she took a deep breath before walking across the room. She knew of Andrew Kirke and Jason Jones, but they were both seventh years and she'd never spoken to them.

"Hi," she said softly to R.J..

"Hey," he put an arm around her. "Do I smell better?" he teased.

"Much," she replied grinning up at him.

"Hey guys this is Alexa," R.J. introduced her. "Lex this is Andrew and this is Jason- they're on the team with me."

"It's nice to meet you both," Alexa said looking at the two boys who just stared at her. "You played really well today."

"Thanks," Andrew finally said to her. "Glad you stayed and watched the whole game- it was pretty nasty out there."

"It was really cold," Alexa agreed. "I think they're calling for more snow tonight. It's a good thing you don't have to play tomorrow."

"Right," Andrew smiled at her. "So you and our little R.J. here aye?" he cuffed R.J.'s arm. "Way to go mate. She's cute!"

Alexa blushed not knowing what to say to this.

"Thanks mate," R.J. said hastily, pulling on her arm. "Come on Lex."

They sat down on one of the plush chairs in the back of the room.

"I heard about the scout," she told him. "That's really great R.J.."

"Yeah- I'm kind of glad I didn't know one was here," R.J. confessed. "Otherwise I'd have probably played to shit."

"I can't imagine you ever flying terribly," she said. "You always look like you know just what you're doing."

"I knew how to fly before I knew how to walk," R.J. laughed.

Alexa grinned. "I can tell how much you love it."

"Where's Saf?" R.J. asked, sitting back in his chair.

"She was going to get changed and then run up to the owlery to post some letters," Alexa replied taking a sip of her butterbeer.

"Where'd you find that?" R.J. asked. "I looked over to the table but they were all out of butterbeer!"

"I might have snagged the last one," she admitted. "You can have some of mine if you want."

"You're the best Lex," R.J. said. "You know, if you want to make it easier to share that you can come sit in this chair with me."

"Since you smell so good, how can I refuse?" she asked sitting down beside him.

R.J. wrapped an arm around her. "This is cosy," he said.

"I think so too," she said softly resting her head on his shoulder.

R.J. kissed her cheek, moving his lips to the corner of her mouth.

She turned her head a little to give him easier access.

"Is this an invitation to snog your shoes off?" R.J. asked with a grin.

Alexa grinned. "You could say that..."

"You mean in front of everyone?" R.J. teased huskily.

"I don't mind," she whispered. "If you don't."

"Well of course I don't mind," R.J. said, leaning in so their lips were just barely touching.

"Then there's no reason why we shouldn't--" Alexa said her words cut off by his kiss.

R.J. cupped her face in his hands, the butterbeer forgotten on the table next to them. Alexa leaned into him as he kissed her quite deeply.

"R.J.," she whispered.

"Hm?" he mumbled back.

"Nothing," she said happily resting her head on his shoulder again.

"Is something wrong?" he asked, leaning in to kiss her again.

"No, nothing's wrong," she answered. "I just really like this. Being with you like this."

He smiled down at her. "Me too Lex. Me too."

54. Chapter 54

AN: Thanks again you guys, for your great feedback! We’re glad that most of you seem to be enjoying the Alexa/RJ relationship and as far as Saffron goes, she will have love interests, but she won’t be a ‘dateaholic’ like Frankie was.

And for those of you wanting more H/Hr, you got it ;) Please review!

Harry groaned in satisfaction. "You know you haven't lost your touch even after all these years?"

"Well of course I haven't," Hermione grinned. "After all, I get practise three or four times a week."

"I think we should start doing this every day." Harry said, his eyes closed.

Hermione laughed. "What does that give me?" she was giving her husband a massage, working her hands over his shoulders and neck.

"My undying gratitude," he answered.

"Don't I already have that?" Hermione asked, kissing under his ear.

"If you didn't before you certainly do now," he said. "I promise that next time you have a bad day, you can have one of these too."

"You don't give nearly as good as you get," Hermione said, working her thumbs over the back of his neck.

"You don't like what I do?" he asked.

"You need practise," Hermione said grinning.

"That's a challenge if I ever heard one," Harry said getting up. "Lie down Granger. I'll show you how it's really done."

"Will you now?" Hermione laughed, doing as her husband asked.

He smiled. "Yes I will." He started to work his hands over her shoulders just like she'd done to him. "You are good at what you do, but I think my skills speak for themselves."

"Perhaps," Hermione smiled lazily. "Why'd you call me Granger? I haven't been Granger for many, many years now."

Harry laughed. "I don't know. Maybe because you shamelessly played me just then so you could get the massage."

Hermione gasped. "Harry I did not do that!"

"Did," Harry said simply, working his hands down his wife's back.

"Harry James," Hermione laughed as he hit a ticklish spot.

"You knew what you were doing," he said. "I think I know you quite well by now."

"Says you," Hermione rolled onto her back and reached for him. "What am I thinking right now?" she asked.

"That you've got me right where you want me," he answered leaning over her.

"That's part of it," Hermione answered softly.

Harry brushed a strand of her hair behind her ear. "What else?"

"Silly," Hermione smiled up at him. "I want you to kiss me."

"I knew that," he said smugly. "I just wanted you to say it."

Hermione poked him. "Well what are you waiting for?"

He grinned before leaning down and kissing her.

Hermione wound her arms around him. "You know, I really do miss having the kids around but having these nights alone with you are fantastic."

"I know what you mean," he said. "Saffy'll be back before we know it though. Easter hols are coming up soon."

"Did you hear she sent Ethan a Howler?" Hermione laughed.

"Yes," Harry said chuckling. "And she's sent me two owls telling me that we should do the same."

Hermione laughed harder. "They are too much."

"Ethan better watch his step is all I have to say," Harry said.

"She's definitely in a strop," Hermione answered as Harry ran his hand down her side. "Ethan probably shouldn't have said anything to R.J.."

"He's just lucky she's tucked away at Hogwarts for a few more weeks at least," Harry said. There was something he'd wanted to share with his wife, but they'd both been a little preoccupied the last couple of days that he hadn't had the opportunity. "Speaking of Hogwarts..."

"We don't have to go back and see that bugger Snape again do we?" Hermione asked, opening her eyes.

"God no," Harry said shaking his head. "It's not that. Dumbledore visited me a few days ago."

"He did?" Hermione asked. "What for?"

"To offer me the Defence Against the Dark Arts position," Harry replied. "Starting next September."

"What?" Hermione sat straight up. "He wants you to teach again?"

Harry nodded. "I turned him down like I always have, but I've been thinking about it these last couple of days."

"I didn't know you were interested in teaching," Hermione remarked.

"Neither did I," Harry said with a sigh. "He threw out all the stops of course. Told me how next to Lupin, I'm the only one he ever saw taking that position. And he pointed out that I'd be able to see Saffron every day."

"He was playing dirty," Hermione grinned.

"He knows what buttons to push," Harry said dryly. "That's for sure."

"So you're thinking about taking it?" she asked. "I don't know what we'd do about living arrangements but I'm sure we could work something out."

"I don't know," he said. "What do you think?"

"If you really want to," Hermione said. "Then I think you should go for it."

"We'd be apart," he said quietly. "I'm not too crazy about that."

"Me either," Hermione said, moving closer to him. "But if it makes you happy Harry, I want you to do it."

Harry smiled. "I love you so much."

"I love you too," Hermione kissed him again.

He was confused about Dumbledore's offer, but he certainly wasn't confused about his wife.

"Harry," she murmured. "Are you going to take me to bed anytime soon?"

"I thought you'd never ask," he said huskily.

Hermione laughed as he lifted her up and carried her to their bedroom. "Mmmm..." she said as they fell onto the bed.

"Still as light as a feather," he whispered against her skin.

"You're a fibber," Hermione said. "I love you for it though."

"It's the truth," he murmured against her neck. "All these years and you still get to me."

"Well that's my job," Hermione said, sitting up and stripping off her robes and shirt. "To turn you on and make you never think of another woman but me."

"You are quite good at what you do," he said taking off his t-shirt and unbuttoning his jeans.

"Mmmhmm..." Hermione reached over and finished taking off his trousers.

"We always end up here don't we?" he asked with a laugh.

"Well we are the rabbits," Hermione said as he slid her skirt down her legs. "We still have a reputation to uphold."

"That we do," Harry said. "That we do."

"So come on Potter," Hermione hissed.

"I love it when you get all forceful with me," Harry said before crashing his lips to Hermione's.

"So you're saying you like to be dominated?" Hermione asked in a kinky manner.

"I didn't say that," he said. "I'm just saying that I like it that you don't hold anything back with me."

Hermione laughed. "That's too bad. I had some interesting thoughts just now."

"Now I'm intrigued," he said looking down at his wife.

"You said you weren't interested," Hermione said airily.

"I didn't say that," he said. "Come on, tell me."

She leaned in and whispered something in his ear, making his eyebrows shoot up under his fringe.

He was speechless for a few moments letting what she'd said sink in. "Um, you want to do THAT?"

Hermione giggled. "What do you say?"

He pretended to think this over. "We've done a lot in our time, but we've never done something like THAT. I mean, I didn't even know you knew about THAT."

"And if I know you the way you say you know me, you're dying to try this out." she said, lowering her eyes seductively.

"I'm game if you are," he murmured.

"Harry I'm always game for a shag with you," Hermione said. "Evidenced by what we did in my office last week..."

"And in mine the week before," he said grinning at her.

"And in that little alcove right there in the lobby just four days ago..." Hermione said, his lips brushing over his.

"Oh yeah," he said. "I'd forgotten about that."

"Well maybe after we're done with this, I'll have to give you a refresher," Hermione said, running her tongue along his ear.

"Mmm," he said. "Well, I have a feeling once you're done with me here, I will be unable to move."

"Whatever will you tell them at work tomorrow?" Hermione asked, kissing down his chest.

"That I have the best wife in the world," he said with a groan.

"That's right big boy," Hermione cooed. "Keep them coming!"

*** *** ***

"I'm not changing your walls back," Frankie said to Ethan as she came out of her office. She'd made him wait for nearly thirty minutes while she'd finished up a meeting with the team owner. "And if you think you can change it, you're mistaken. I am the only one who knows the counterspell..."

"That's not why I'm here, but it's always a pleasure to see you too," Ethan said, biting back a more sarcastic response.

"Oh," Frankie said. "What is it? I thought you were working."

"This is my lunch break, of which I have exactly twenty five minutes left of," Ethan said, looking at his watch.

"I'm sorry," Frankie said leading him into her office. "I couldn't very well tell my boss that he had to wait because you hated your wall colour."

"It's all right," Ethan replied. "I have a huge favour to ask of you though, and it doesn't involve the flat."

"Okay," Frankie said sitting down in her desk chair. "Shoot."

"Well," he began. "You know how Saffy was in a strop with me because of what I told R.J.?"

"Was?" Frankie asked. "I thought that she was still in one with you."

"Just a bit," Ethan said. "Mum told me she's planning on sending me another Howler with a hex inside." he shook his head. "Knowing how she is... I'm a bit scared actually."

"You should be," Frankie said. "But I still don't understand what I have to do with it."

"I was hoping perhaps you could get me two tickets to that big game over the Easter hols," Ethan said.

Frankie frowned. "Ethan that game's sold out, you know that."

His shoulders slumped a bit. "Yeah I know. That's why I was hoping you might be able to help me out." he stood up. "Don't worry about it Frankie. It was a shot in the dark."

"Wait!" Frankie called out to him. "I think I know where I can get you and Saffy some tickets."

"You do?" he brightened.

"One of the blokes on the team owes me big," Frankie said. "Just between you and me I covered up an embarrassing incident between him and this witch who said...well, that's not important. The important thing is that the players are allotted a certain number of tickets. I'll just make sure he gives me two of his."

Ethan hugged her. "Frankie you are a lifesaver! Me and my arse that Saffy was going to fry owe you big time."

"You just keep your mouth shut about who your sister does and doesn't fancy," Frankie said with a laugh. "And it's the least I can do with how you helped me that night at the club."

"That doesn't even begin to cover this," Ethan said gratefully. "You know what a big Quidditch fanatic Saffy is. I'm hoping she'll never get mad at me again after this."

"I know it'll mean the world to her," Frankie said smiling at him.

"You are the best," Ethan grinned. "If you didn't have Will and I didn't have Maddie I might even kiss you right now." he teased.

"I just might let you," she said winking at him. At the look on his face, she giggled. "Only kidding, Ethan. We'd kill each other."

"You might redecorate more than just my flat," Ethan laughed.

"Exactly," Frankie said. "So when does Saffy get back?'

"She's coming home the weekend before the hols start." Ethan said. "Mads and I are going shopping for a birthday gift for her tomorrow."

"How do you think she'd like meeting some of the players?" Frankie asked.

"She'd probably go through the roof," Ethan replied. "Puddlemere IS her favourite team after all."

"I'll see if I can arrange something," Frankie promised.

"You are the best Frankie," Ethan kissed her cheek. "Remind me of that next time I give you a hard time about something?"

"I will," Frankie said. "I plan on holding this over your head for a long, long time."

"I look forward to it," Ethan joked.

The next day, Maddie and Ethan were shopping in Diagon Alley for a present for Saffron. They'd been in and out of two shops already and Ethan still had no idea what to buy his sister. Every option he decided on, Maddie shot down.

"Do you think I could just count the tickets as the present?" he asked.

"Not if you want to keep your head," Maddie replied, absently fingering some robes.

"Right," he said. "You know she's not really into clothes. I mean she is, but she's not like Aunt Lav into it, you know?"

Maddie smiled and shook her head. "We'll find something," she said. "It just has to be the right something."

"The right something," Ethan mumbled.

"Ethan don't lose faith," Maddie laughed. "The day is still young and we have loads of stores to go through!"

Ethan groaned. "Not helping my mood any Mads."

"I know something that will," she said, giving him a mischievous grin.

"We're going to go home?" he asked hopefully.

"No silly," she gave him a kiss. "We'll go get some ice cream and then we'll start shopping again."

"That's more like it," Ethan said happy to get out of this boutique. "Let's go."

"You sure are crabby when you shop," Maddie said, amused. "You weren't this crabby that one time we went Christmas shopping together."

"I'm not crabby," he said defensively. "Shopping's just not one of my favourite things in the world to do."

"But you get to spend time with me," Maddie smiled at him. "And I do know you like that."

"That goes without saying," he said squeezing her hand.

Maddie snuggled under his arm as they walked along. "I want chocolate chip ice cream," she said happily.

"And you'll end up wanting some of whatever I have," he teased. "Like usual."

"Is that such a bad thing?" Maddie over at him.

"No," he said shaking his head. "Not at all."

"Right," Maddie kissed him. "And I think it's very sweet that you got those tickets to the game for you and Saffy."

"I feel bad," he said. "The only letter I get from my sister for weeks is a howler. She used to owl me at least once a week."

"Well I thought you said you were going to send her a letter back apologising," Maddie commented as they went into Florean Fortescue's.

"I really did mean to," Ethan said. "You know that. I've just been busy."

"Would you like me to help you write a letter?" Maddie offered.

"No, that's okay," he replied as they joined the queue. "I told mum and dad I'd pick her up from King's Cross. I wanted to surprise her."

"She won't be able to hex you outside of school," Maddie teased as they ordered sundaes.

"One of the reasons I volunteered to pick her up," he said.

Maddie laughed. "You're really scared of your sister aren't you?"

"Just a little," Ethan admitted.

Maddie couldn't stop laughing. "If she only knew that..."

"Don't you go telling her that," Ethan said. "I'll never hear the end of it."

"Your secret is safe with me," Maddie said, digging into her ice cream.

"So I imagine your parents are looking forward to having R.J. home," Ethan said. "And I promise I won't say anything more to him about Saffy."

"Actually it's interesting you should say that," Maddie said, helping herself to a spoonful of Ethan's sundae. "He's dating Alexa- Saffy's best friend?"

Ethan laughed. "Alexa O'Leary? Are you sure?"

Maddie nodded. "He even wrote home to Mum and Dad about her."

"That scoundrel," Ethan said. "He chucks my sister to go out with her best friend."

"Ethan James," Maddie gave him a warning look.

"This is my baby sister we're talking about," Ethan pointed out. "And your baby brother. And...and I am going to keep my big mouth out of their business."

"That's good," Maddie smiled. "I don't think Saffy thinks of R.J. in a romantic way. They're just good friends is all. Besides, Alexa is a lovely girl."

"I know that," Ethan said. "It's just she seems quiet and shy. Not someone who you'd picture R.J. with."

"Well a lot of people wouldn't have pictured me with you," Maddie pointed out. "And look how happy we are."

"Exactly," Ethan said a smile playing on his face as he watched Maddie dip her spoon into his sundae. "Mads? You have exactly the same thing as me. Why are you eating mine?"

"Because it tastes better?" she gave him her best grin.

"Oh okay," he said laughing. "That makes sense."

"Well yours is bigger," Maddie said. "And you can spare a bit."

"You're not even done with yours!" Ethan pointed out.

"So?" Maddie grinned at him again.

"The logic of the Weasleys," Ethan said grinning back at her.

"Bet you wish you were one," Maddie said with a laugh.

"When you and I get married I will be one," he said.

It always thrilled her to hear that. "When we get married," she said dreamily. "I'll get to be a Potter."

"And my two sisters already like you better than me," he pointed out. "At least Saffy does."

"After you tell her where you're taking her, I think she'll forgive you," Maddie laughed as she finished her sundae and started going for his again.

Ethan was very happy that his younger sister couldn't use magic outside of school. He had a bad feeling that the moment she saw him, she might have been tempted to hex him or even worse.

"Madeline Molly Weasley, would you let me have some of this? For Merlin's sake, I've only had two bites."

"Oh come on Ethan," Maddie said. "This place makes the best sundaes!"

Ethan pulled his dish back from her. "Here's an idea, Maddie. You could just order another one."

"But yours tastes so much better," Maddie said again.

"You know when Justin takes Sarah out," Ethan said. "She hardly eats anything and he gets to eat her food as well as his own. When I take you out, you end up eating yours and then sampling on mine...."

Maddie grinned. "Don't you like a girl that eats?"

"I love a girl that eats," Ethan said laughing. "I'm just pointing out that you, my love are a very unique person and I love you for it, but please let me have this."

"All right, all right." Maddie took one more spoonful. "I'll stop."

"That's might generous of you," Ethan said smiling at her. "Considering I hardly have anything left."

"You have half left," Maddie pointed out.

"Go ahead and finish it," Ethan said handing her his spoon. "But when we get home I am going to make myself the biggest sandwich you have ever seen and you cannot have any of it."

"Not even a bite?" Maddie asked his spoon already poised above the dish.

"I know you and your bites," he said folding his arms. "You can sit and watch me eat it."

"Ethan James!" Maddie said.

"Since you are helping me find something for Saffy, I guess you could have one bite," Ethan said thoughtfully. "But just one."

Maddie grinned. "Open up," she said, heaping the spoon with ice cream.

"This is a first," he said doing as she'd asked.

She laughed. "What, me giving up ice cream?"

Ethan nodded.

"You say that like it's a bad thing," Maddie replied lightly.

"It's not," he said. "I'm just pleasantly surprised is all."

"Okay then," Maddie leaned in and kissed him.

"That's much better than a sundae," he said.

"I'm much sweeter," Maddie teased.

Ethan smiled. "Yes you are."

"All right," Maddie dropped the spoon in the empty dish. "Back to shopping."

Ethan groaned as he got up from his seat. He still had no idea what to get his sister. "We've shot down clothes and I don't want to get her jewellery, she'd just lose it. What about a dog?"

"She'd probably love that but I don't think your parents want to take care of it while she's away at school," Maddie said sensibly.

"True," Ethan said. "I hadn't thought about that. She already has an owl. I guess a pet of any sort is out of the question."

He followed Maddie out onto the sidewalk. "Maybe a book?"

"You can't go wrong with a book," Maddie said, biting her lower lip in thought. "But it's got to be a good book, not just any old thing."

"She has so many already," Ethan said remembering his sister's bedroom at home with it's three large bookshelves.

"Yes I know," Maddie giggled. "She's just like your mum."

"Pretty much," Ethan said with a laugh. "Except for the whole flying thing."

"Right," Maddie said. "Well... come to think of it- I was looking in the newspaper and they had an article about this new set of flying manuals coming out. We could check and see if those are in- I bet Saffy would love to have those."

Ethan beamed at his girlfriend. "Mads, you're a genius! Saffy would freak over those."

Maddie laughed. "See, shopping isn't all bad."

"Not with the right person," he said giving her a kiss.

*** *** ***

After checking in at the Ministry, Julie headed down the corridor to her father's office. She hoped he was in and not off on an assignment, as she wanted to talk to him about the teaching job at Hogwarts. His door was closed and she knocked hesitantly, hoping she wasn't interrupting anything.

"Come in," Harry said absently from behind his desk. He was writing up a report of the latest raid.

"Hi Dad," Julie peeked around the door.

Harry looked up from his paperwork and smiled. "Jules, what are you doing here sweetheart?"

"I wanted to talk to you," Julie said, closing the door behind her. "Oh, and give you these to take home." she handed him some Muggle portraits of Ashley and Katie that they'd recently had done.

Harry grinned as he looked at the portraits. "These two are going to break a lot of hearts when they get older."

"Yes they are," Julie agreed with a laugh. "Just don't say that to Nick. He doesn't want to think of his baby girls growing up and dating."

"Let's just hope he doesn't have to go through what poor Nev went through with Frankie," Harry joked. He set the portraits down on his desk, knowing Hermione would love to see them. "So what's this you have to talk to me about?"

"Well it's about what you said to Nick when you came by the other day," Julie said, sitting down. "About that teaching job at Hogwarts..."

"He told you about that did he?" Harry asked. "You know I've been thinking a lot about that too. More than I thought i would actually."

"So you're going to take it?" Julie was half relieved and half disappointed.

Harry leaned back in his chair. "I haven't really made up my mind yet to tell you the truth."

"Well I was thinking about it too," Julie confessed. "I mean, I don't know if they'd even want me or not."

Harry looked across the desk at his daughter. "I told Nick you'd be perfect for the job. Even better than me."

"You really think so?" Julie asked.

"Are you kidding me?" Harry asked. "Jules, you'd be perfect."

"But I don't know nearly as much about Dark Arts as you do," Julie said.

"Jules you got top marks in the course you're entire time at Hogwarts," he reminded her.

"Only because you owled me when I asked for help on my essays," Julie grinned.

Harry laughed. "That's true."

"Look Dad if you're thinking of taking the job I don't want to stand in your way. Like I said, they haven't even approached me to do it." Julie tucked her hair behind her ear.

"I haven't made a decision yet," Harry said honestly. "I love my job. I feel like I've made a real difference here, you know? And you know how it is when you've been somewhere for so long and you start to wonder what it would be like to try something new? To have a new challenge?"

Julie nodded. "I'd love to be able to use magic more often. I love teaching Muggle children but it'd be interesting to take on something different too."

"Do you want to know something?" he asked his daughter. "Dumbledore was the one who suggested you to me..."

"Really?" Julie asked incredulously.

Harry nodded. "He knows what a great teacher you are."

Julie flushed with pride. "I didn't realise he checked up on me."

"He has," Harry told her. "And he realises that the only detriment would be that you haven't had any experience teaching Defence Against the Dark Arts.”

"Another thing is," Julie said. "I don't want to be away from Nick and the girls for the whole school year."

Harry nodded. "If you really wanted this, you could find some way to make it work."

Julie was quiet a moment. "Do you think I'd be able to work it out so I came home every night through the Floo network?"

"I think that's possible," Harry said. "Why don't you try and talk with Dumbledore about this? I could set something up for you if you wanted..."

"Let me talk it over with Nick tonight," Julie said slowly. "I would have to give notice at Kirkland that I won't be coming back next year if I did decide to do this."

"Okay," he said smiling at his daughter.

"Thanks Dad," Julie hugged him. "Listen we want to have you and mum over for dinner on Saturday night if possible."

"We'd love that," Harry said hugging her back. "Katie and Ashley still fighting up a storm?"

"Every day it's something new," Julie said with a laugh. "Greta says it's most likely just a phase."

"Hasn't she been saying that for quite some time?" Harry asked.

"Yes," Julie shook her head. "And what's this going on between Saffy and Ethan? She wrote to me asking if I knew any good hexes... what's so funny?"

It took Harry a few moments to regain his composure. "Your brother decided to tell R.J. that Saffron had a crush on him, which she didn't. To make a long story short, she sent him a howler threatening to make him pay for what he'd done and as far as I know, they're not speaking to each other."

Julie shook her head. "Aren't you glad I was mature enough to spare you all that?" she joked.

"More than you know," Harry said still laughing.

"I'll have to tell Ethan and Saffy to forgive and forget," Julie grinned. "Words from the wise older sister."

"They'll probably not listen to you," Harry said. "They're not listening to your mum or me about it."

"They'll get over it eventually," Julie said. "I've got to go Dad. Thanks for hearing me out."

"I'm glad you came by," he said giving her one last hug. "I'm really proud of you Jules."

"Thanks Dad," Julie said. "You make sure Mum sees those pictures. She's been owling me for a week about them."

"I will," Harry promised. "In fact, I could probably run them up to her now."

"I would do it myself but I really do have to go." Julie said. "We'll expect you by on Saturday then. The girls will be so excited. Ashley has new artwork for you both to see."

"Give them a big hug and kiss for me," he said walking his daughter out.

"I will," Julie promised. "Love you Dad."

"Love you too Jules," Harry said.

He went back into his office to retrieve the portraits and then headed off to the lifts. He wanted to show his wife the pictures, but he also wanted to let her know about Julie.

Hermione was busy writing up a speech she was to give at a convention in a few days when a knock interrupted her. "Come in," she said crossly; she hated to be interrupted when she had so much work to do.

As Harry opened the door, he saw his wife hunched over her desk furiously writing. She didn't even look up as he came inside.

"Minister Potter," he said lowering his voice. "Haven't you ever heard that all work and no play..."

Hermione jumped. "Harry James-" she started to scold.

"Yes, yes," he said dismissively. "Don't blame Sam for this, he told me to enter at my own risk."

She sat back and rubbed her eyes. "You'd think I wouldn't have to write my own speeches," she complained. "I hate writing them more than I hate giving them."

"You said you always loved doing that," he said walking behind his wife's desk. He set the portraits down and then began to massage her shoulders.

"Well I don't like it very much right now," Hermione tried to stay annoyed but Harry was making it quite impossible. "What brings you up here?"

"Julie stopped by," Harry explained. "Those pictures there are Katie and Ashley's portraits."

"Oh," Hermione pulled them over. "Oh Harry these are so sweet. Look how gorgeous Ashley's getting. And Katie's so pretty too!"

"They're growing up so fast," Harry said.

"I can't believe Ashley's eight now," Hermione mused.

"And Katie's six going on 30," Harry said.

"She wants to be treated older than Ash," Hermione laughed.

"Julie and Nick are going to have their hands full with Katie," Harry said only half joking.

"Katie's a good girl," Hermione said. "All kids are a handful at some point."

"I bet you weren't," Harry said smiling at her.

Hermione laid her head on the back of the chair and smiled up at him. "I was perfect," she joked. "Until I met you."

"Never broke a rule or put one toe over the line?" he asked.

Hermione shook her head. "Ask my dad." she said. "Lavender, after she moved in, gave them more grief than I ever did."

"But she never snuck out to go and shag her boyfriend, did she?" he asked.

Hermione turned red. "You were said boyfriend," she reminded him.

"I know," he said grinning at her. "For someone who had no experience breaking the rules, you certainly did a good job that summer. I was very impressed and not just with that either."

"What else did Julie come by for?" Hermione tossed her quill down and moved into her husband's arms.

Harry gave his wife a long, lingering kiss before telling her about Julie.

"She's thinking about interviewing for the job at Hogwarts," he said.

"She is?" Hermione asked in surprise. "I didn't think she was interested in teaching there."

"I think she's changing her mind," Harry said. "I think she misses using magic all the time."

"What's she going to do about living situation?" Hermione asked, resting her forehead against Harry's. "I mean, she's not going to want to live away from Nick and the girls."

"That's something she's have to talk to Dumbledore about," Harry replied. "It is possible she could teach during the day and floo home at night. Or they could move to Hogsmeade.."

"She'd get to see Saffy all the time," Hermione said as he rubbed her back through her robes. "And when Ashley and Katie get to Hogwarts she'd be with them all the time too."

"I know," Harry said. "I think she really wants to try this Hermione. You should have seen her face when she was talking about it."

"I think it'd be good for her," Hermione mused. "Everyone goes through some sort of career change at some point. Well except for you," she grinned. "You've always been an Auror and me, I'll always be Minister until I retire."

"When I came in here you looked like you would love to retire right now," he said. "You ever think of making a career change?"

Hermione shook her head. "This is what I've wanted to do since I found out I was a witch," she said. "And it's got it's ups and downs, just like any job."

"What about being Headmaster of Hogwarts?" he asked.

"I should think you would be well suited for that," Hermione replied.

"Me?" Harry asked shaking his head. "No thank you. I remember what a pain in the arse I was when Ron and I were in school. I don't think I'd want to deal with that on a regular basis."

"What brought that about?" Hermione asked. "Nothing's happened to Dumbledore right? I'm sure I'd have heard about it if--"

"He hasn't told anyone yet officially," Harry said. "But he's thinking he's going to step down after this year is out. He's been at it for quite some time."

Hermione's eyebrows raised. "This is interesting news," she mused.

"You can add finding a new headmaster to your priorities list," Harry told his wife.

"What about McGonagall?" Hermione named the woman Harry had often talked about who was head of Gryffindor house. "She's been there at least as long as he has, right?"

"Yes," Harry said. "But between you and me, I think she'll step down when he does."

"And Snape definitely would not have my support to become Headmaster," Hermione said. "I don't know how you put up with that insufferable man for seven years Harry."

"Neither do I," Harry said. "Can you imagine the look on his face if he knew my daughter was going to be a colleague of his? And not only that, for the job he himself has wanted for so long."

Hermione began to laugh. "I'd pay to have someone there with a camera. In fact, I may just send a reporter there to cover it specifically for that purpose."

Harry laughed too, but then he became serious again. "If Julie really wants this, I'm not going to stand in her way, Hermione. I'd take myself out of the running."

"You're sweet," Hermione said. "Especially since you seemed to be interested in taking the job yourself."

Harry rested his forehead on his wife's. "I did, but you want to know something?"

"Hmm?" Hermione closed her eyes.

"I really like being an Auror Hermione," he said. "But you know it never really meant that much to me until the day Ethan joined up. And with him just starting out, I want to be here to help him when I can. Does that make sense?"

"Of course it does," Hermione gave him a kiss. "Makes perfect sense to me."

"He's so good Hermione," Harry said proudly. "He still has a lot to learn, mind you..."

"He's like you Harry," Hermione says. "He buckles down and gets to whatever task he has to do."

Harry smiled. "I can't even begin to put into words how proud I am of him, Hermione."

"I am too," Hermione said. "I'm proud of all our kids."

"Me too," Harry said. "We lucked out."

"Yes we did," Hermione said. "I lucked out. I never thought my life would be this good. Minister, three amazing kids, and the Sexiest Wizard Alive for a husband..."

"You know Ron is demanding a recount on that last one," Harry said.

"He's just jealous," Hermione said dismissively. "You've had it in the bag for ten years and running now Harry."

Harry puffed out his chest. "Please remind him of that next time you see him."

"Oh I will," Hermione grinned.

"I was going to take a couple weeks off for Saffy's Easter hols," Harry said. "I wanted to work with her on her flying."

"She'll love that," Hermione sat back down at her desk.

"She really wants to make the house team," he said. "I promised I'd work with her during the summer too."

"She's really serious about wanting to play Quidditch professionally isn't she?" Hermione remarked.

"I know you're not that crazy about it," he said. "But she really loves it Hermione. And she's already so much better than I was at her age."

"As long as she takes all precautions and is safe," Hermione began scratching her quill over the parchment again.

Harry knew his wife was returning to work mode. He kissed the top of her head. "I'm making you dinner tonight Madam. And for dessert...."

"A replay of what we did the other night?" Hermione hid her smile.

"You read my mind," he said grinning at the memory of it.

"I'll be home as early as I can," she promised.

"Don't work too hard," he cautioned.

"Will you punish me later if I do?" Hermione asked coyly, looking up as he moved towards the door.

Harry just winked at his wife before letting himself out.

55. Chapter 55

Authors' note: We know you all appreciated the dose of H/Hr in the last chapter. You can look forward to more from them as the storylines progress. In this chapter, you get the Easter hols---Ethan trying to make up with Saffy and Will and Frankie's best friend Alicia try to peacefully coexist for Frankie's sake. We hope you like the chapter...please review.

The entire train ride from Hogwarts to King's Cross went by entirely too slow. Although Saffron knew she couldn't use magic on her brother without risking expulsion, she did have some other tricks up her sleeve. She couldn't wait to share them with her mother who she knew was picking her up from the station.

The train stopped and Saffron quickly gathered her bags and went looking for her best friend who had disappeared some time during the train ride. She knew where she was and wasn't surprised to see her best friend joined at the lips with R.J. Weasley. Saffron giggled as she stepped off the train.

"I know you two won't be seeing each other for a few days, but must you carry on like this?" she asked teasingly.

"We're taking advantage of the time we have," R.J. replied. "Don't be jealous just because you passed me up Saf."

Saffron rolled her eyes. "Passed you up? More like gave you up..."

"And I'm glad you did," Alexa laughed.

"So am I," Saffron said giving Alexa a hug. "Give me a call if you get the chance, okay? I'm going to miss you."

"What about me?" R.J. asked.

Saffron waved her hand. "I see you too much as it is."

"Gee thanks," R.J. tugged on one of Saffron's plaits.

"I'll see you guys later," Saffron said. "I know my mum's probably waiting."

Alexa watched her go. "You'll owl me right?" she asked softly. "And I'll find out about coming over on Easter."

"I'll owl you all the time," he promised. "And if your parents don't let you come over, I'll kidnap you myself."

Alexa laughed. "I'll see you soon then." she leaned in and kissed him.

R.J. kissed her back and Saffron who had just retrieved her bags walked by shaking her head. She scanned the crowd for her mother's familiar face.

Ethan was waiting for his sister near the edge of the station and caught sight of her brown hair. "Saffy!" he called. "Over here!"

Saffron heard someone calling her name and she thought for a moment it was her father. The smile on her face fell when she saw it was her brother. Without a word, she pushed her trolley right past him.

"Saffron!" Ethan said, going after her and stopping the trolley. "Come on Saffy don't ignore me."

"R.J.'s over there," Saffron said coldly motioning over her shoulder. "If you want to tell him anything else..."

"Come on," Ethan repeated. "Saffy I'm sorry about what I did okay?"

"Yeah right," Saffron said sarcastically. "I bet you thought it was one big joke, didn't you? Well, it was really hilarious, Ethan! I nearly lost a really good friend over this. But, what does that matter? As long as YOU had your big laugh...."

Ethan felt even worse than he had before as Saffron stalked through the barrier and into King's Cross. He followed her out and ran to catch up. "I'm not letting you run about alone." he said.

"I can hail a taxi," Saffron said boldly. She had no Muggle money on her and she didn't know how she'd pay for it, but she wasn't going to let Ethan in on that.

"Saffron," Ethan was starting to grow annoyed. "Will you bloody grow up and stop acting like you're ten instead of fourteen?"

"No that would be you," Saffron said rounding on him. "You had no right to tell R.J. that I had feelings for him, which I didn't."

"I thought it would be funny. I was wrong and I'm sorry." Ethan apologised.

"You could have written to apologise," Saffron said. "But you didn't."

"Because I wanted to do something better." Ethan said. "It's waiting at home."

Saffron looked at him. "What? What's waiting at home?"

"It's a surprise," Ethan replied.

"A surprise?" Saffron asked softening a bit.

"Yeah," Ethan said. "And the sooner we get back, the sooner you can see what it is."

"Okay," Saffron said and she offered her brother a slight smile as he took control of the trolley. "Thanks Ethan."

"You're welcome Saffy," Ethan grinned at her. "You can never stay mad at me for long anyway can you?"

"This was probably the longest," she said. "But that's probably because I didn't see you every day."

"Miss me?" he joked.

"Not really," she admitted. "But that's because I had thoughts of revenge to keep me company."

Ethan winced. "Revenge?"

Saffron nodded. "You're so lucky I can't do magic outside of Hogwarts."

"I'm counting my blessings, believe me." Ethan replied. Her curiosity was piqued and it seemed the journey back to the house took longer than ever. "All right." Ethan said once they were in the main hallway. He handed her a plain white envelope containing the two tickets and the pass to get back to talk to the players.

Saffron opened the envelope and gasped when she pulled out the two tickets. "P-Puddlemere versus Wimbourne? Ethan? This is the playoff match? How on earth did you...how could you? Are these real?"

"As real as we are Saffy," Ethan said. "Look at the other thing."

Saffron hadn't even noticed there was something else in the envelope. Her hands were shaking when she pulled out the additional passes. "SHUT UP!" she exclaimed. "ETHAN!"

Ethan laughed. "Please tell me I'm forgiven. I practically had to sell my soul to Frankie to get my hands on all this."

Saffron launched herself at her big brother. "You are so forgiven!"

He hugged his little sister back. "Me and my arse are very happy to hear that. You're a pint but you're scary when you're mad."

Saffron laughed. "You are the best big brother in the entire world! We're going to have so much fun! I actually thought I was going to have to listen to the game on the wireless with Dad, but this is so much better!"

"Thanks sweetheart," Harry said coming out of the kitchen with Hermione. "We missed you too."

"Dad!" Saffron said excitedly. "Look what Ethan got me!"

"We saw," Harry swung his daughter around. "And I take it there will be no hexing now?"

"Of course not Daddy!" Saffron said laughing. "Ethan's the bestest big brother in the whole wide world!"

"What a change," Hermione laughed, kissing her daughter's cheek. "It's good to have you home sweetheart."

"I missed you too Mum," Saffron said giving her a hug. "You cut your hair!"

"Oh just a little," Hermione replied. "It was getting bothersome."

"I know what you mean," Saffron said. "That's why I always wear mine in plaits. But yours always looks pretty Mum."

"Thanks sweetheart." Hermione said. "We didn't exactly pass on the best hair genes." she looked pointedly at her husband and son, who both rumpled their messy raven locks.

"I suppose not," Saffron said laughing. "What are you both doing home? I thought you'd be working. That's why I figured Ethan picked me up."

"He wanted to do it," Hermione explained, her arm around Saffron's shoulders. "He wanted to tell you he was sorry."

"All is forgiven," Saffron said smiling at her brother. "And everything worked out how it was supposed to in the end."

"You mean R.J.'s not going to be my brother-in-law?" Ethan asked, not able to resist.

"Hello? He will be when you marry Maddie," Saffron shot back.

"Touché," Ethan grinned, tugging on her plait.

"And I have good news for you too Saffy," Harry said.

"You do?" Saffron brightened. "What is it? I'm getting a new broom for my birthday?"

"I can neither confirm nor deny that," Harry replied. "But you will have me around while you're home if you wanted to get some practise in. I took some time off and so did your Mum so we'd be here during your holiday."

Saffron clapped her hands excitedly. "These will be the best Easter hols ever!"

"And," Ethan said putting an arm around his sister. "Grandpa fully expects you to join him for a round of golf. He told you about him getting cleared to play, didn't he?"

"Mum sent me an owl with a letter from him," Saffron nodded. "I hope the weather stays nice so we can get out there and play. I'm dying to use those new clubs he got me for Christmas."

"He's even convinced me to join the two of you," Harry said. "He told me he was using that as one of his motivations to get better so he could humiliate me again."

Saffron laughed. "You're so awful out there Dad."

"Awful?" Harry asked coming toward her. He tickled her side. "Awful?"

Saffron shrieked with laughter. "Mum! You know I'm just telling the truth right?"

"You do stink Harry," Hermione said dryly.

Harry simply glared at her as he left Saffron go.

"But you're great at everything else," Hermione said quickly.

"That's more like it," Harry grinned.

"So where's Maddie?" Saffron asked. "And Jules, Nick and the girls?"

"Maddie wanted to be here but she's working," Ethan replied.

"The girls are in school," Hermione said. "They don't get out until Thursday. Julie wants to talk to you about something she's considering."

"What?" Saffron was curious.

"You can't say anything to anyone else," Harry warned.

"I can keep a secret better than any of you," Saffron scoffed.

"Okay," Hermione said. "How would you feel about your big sister becoming the new Defence Against the Dark Arts professor at Hogwarts next year?"

"Julie's going to be teaching THAT?" Saffron asked, her eyes wide.

Hermione laughed. "There's nothing definite yet, sweetheart. She's just had a few talks with Dumbledore. She would still have to interview with the school's board of governors."

"That would be so cool," Saffron said.

"She's really excited about it," Hermione said. "And one of her main selling points on the job was getting to see you everyday."

"I'm just that much fun to be around," Saffron grinned.

"You're the baby," Ethan said. "Everyone always wants to be around the baby."

Saffron stuck her tongue out then laughed. "I can't wait for this game!" she squealed. "Ethan this will be so much fun!"

"I think so too," Ethan said giving her a hug. "I hated having you mad at me, Saffy."

"It's kind of fun being mad at you though," Saffron said. "Watching you squirm and all..."

"I didn't squirm," he said defensively. "And how many 14 year olds send howlers?"

Saffron smiled sweetly. "I'm an individual."

"That's one way of putting it," Ethan said dryly.

"Ethan?" Harry asked hoping to avoid another row. "How about you and I bring Saffy's bags upstairs?"

"Sure Dad," Ethan said. "And then I have to get home- Maddie and I are meeting Frankie and Will tonight."

Saffron watched her brother and father go upstairs with her things. "It's so good to be home Mum."

"It's good to have you home." Hermione smoothed a stray hair off her daughter's forehead. "I've missed you so much."

"I'm so happy you'll be home," Saffron said. "I know you've been pretty busy lately."

"Well I'm glad I was able to take a few days out of the office to spend with you." Hermione replied. "And we're going to the Burrow for Easter as well."

"I know," Saffron said with a smile. "I'm going to owl R.J. tonight and tell him about the game. I still can't believe Ethan did this!"

"He really did feel bad," Hermione said as she followed her daughter upstairs to help her unpack. "And he wanted to make it up to you."

"If I tell you something you have to promise not to tell Aunt Luna or Ethan," Saffron said.

"Okay," Hermione replied. "I promise not to say a word to anyone."

Saffron checked to make sure she and her mother were alone. "You know how Ethan told R.J. all that stuff right? Well, one night in the common room, R.J. was teasing me and there was this really...awkward sort of moment between us."

"You had a moment?" Hermione asked. "As in..."

"He almost kissed me," Saffron said. "And the next morning, he did kiss me."

Hermione's eyes widened. "You mean--"

"What Ethan said stirred up a bunch of stuff between us," Saffron said. "And it led to me having my first kiss...ever."

Hermione felt her eyes grow damp. "My baby's had her first kiss." she said softly.

Saffron blushed. "I wanted to tell you about it when it happened, but it wasn't something I felt I could put in a letter. I wished that I could just phone you and talk to you about it."

"Oh sweetheart," Hermione hugged her tightly. "Was it nice? Was R.J. sweet about it?"

"It was really nice," Saffron admitted. "And he was really sweet about it. But he and I we work better as friends. And with Ethan and Maddie being who they are, it would be kind of strange if something happened between R.J. and me, you know?"

"I see where you're coming from." Hermione replied.

"But everything worked out how it was supposed to," Saffron said. "R.J.'s with Alexa now."

"With Alexa?" Hermione was surprised. "Your best friend? Shy quiet Alexa O'Leary?"

Saffron laughed. "The very one. She's fancied him for ages, Mum. I didn't know. When I found out, I sort of made sure they spent some time alone together..."

"So you played matchmaker," Hermione smiled.

"I did," Saffron said smiling proudly. "And they're so happy, Mum. I've never seen Lex or R.J. like this."

"I think that's lovely," Hermione put an arm around her daughter's shoulders.

"The only bad thing now is that Lex seems to think I need to find someone for me," Saffron said with a laugh. "But I don't have time for any stupid boy right now."

"Any stupid boy?" Hermione laughed too. "Your father will be pleased to hear that I'm sure."

Saffron laughed. "Anything to please Daddy."

Harry came in with Saffron's trunk just in time to hear her last words. "What is this about pleasing me?"

"Nothing dear," Hermione said. "Saffy was just catching me up on some things from school."

"Oh," Harry looked between two of his three favourite girls. "Am I missing something?"

"No not at all," Saffron said. "So tell me more about Jules. Is she really going to be teaching at Hogwarts? And are the rumours true about Dumbledore?"

"Rumours?" Harry asked innocently.

Saffron nodded. "Everyone's talking about him retiring soon. There's even this wild rumour about him eloping with Professor McGonagall."

Harry began to laugh. "That's ridiculous," he said with some conviction.

"About as ridiculous as Snape being named as his successor," Saffron said. "Lex and I think Snape started that one himself."

"He probably did, the wanker," Harry replied.

"Harry," Hermione lectured. "I thought we agreed we weren't going to talk badly about Saffron's professors in her presence."

"Isn't there an exception to every rule?" Harry asked. "That would be Snape."

"Harry," Hermione said.

"Come on Mum, he is a wanker," Saffron said. "Whether or not you and Dad say it in front of me, isn't going to change that."

"Saffron Grace I'd like you to watch your language," Hermione warned.

"But--" Saffron started to protest, but she knew when to choose her battles and this certainly wasn't the right time. "Yes ma'am."

"See you're smarter than your brother," Harry said. "He'd try to argue any battle, even if he knows he'd lose it."

"I know when to back down," Saffron said. "Mum gets this look on her face and I know I'd better shut my mouth or face the consequences."

"You are a smart girl," Hermione beamed.

"Just like you," Saffron said.

*** *** ***

Will balanced the pizza boxes on his arm as he dug for his key to Frankie's flat. It could almost be considered their flat- he spent most of his days there and only went home every so often for some different clothes.

He somehow managed to find his key and open the door without dropping the boxes.

"Frankie!" he called out. "I hope you're hungry..."

"We're in here!" she called back from the sitting room.

"We?" he asked, shifting the boxes to his other arm.

"Alicia's here too," Frankie called back.

"Oh," Will rolled his eyes before going to the sitting room.

Alicia was curled up on Frankie's sofa with her shoes kicked off and her hair pulled back in a makeshift bun. She'd made herself at home and from the look she shot Will she obviously saw him as an intruder.

"Hi sweetheart," Frankie said getting to her feet. "Oooh, you went to Mario's! Did you get mine with extra mushrooms?"

"Of course I did," he said as she greeted him with a kiss. "How are you Alicia? I would have gotten you something if I knew you would be here." he didn't especially like the other woman but he wouldn’t be rude to her.

"That's okay," Alicia said scrunching up her nose. "Do you have any idea how many calories and fat grams are in one slice of pizza? And don't even get me started on the carbs..."

"Yeah but it's just so good," Frankie grabbed a slice and bit into it ravenously.

"I'll take your word for it," Alicia said with a forced smile.

"So what brings you by Alicia?" Will asked sitting down beside Frankie.

"I haven't seen Frankie around in awhile," Alicia stretched like a cat.

"I've been really busy with work," Frankie said. "We've got that big game this weekend and everything's pretty crazy around the office."

"We'll have to go out dancing again once things calm down for you." Alicia said. "I know Scott said he'd love to hang out sometime soon before he goes back to Prague."

Frankie was glad her mouth was full and she couldn't respond to this.

"He's still in town, is he?" Will asked.

Alicia raised one perfectly arched eyebrow. "I didn't realise you knew him Will."

"I wouldn't say I know him," Will said dryly helping himself to a piece of pizza.

"We ran into him the other night," Frankie said quickly. "Anyways..."

"He always did say you were the best dancing partner he's ever had," Alicia reached for her glass of wine.

"That was a long time ago," Frankie said wishing her friend would shut up about Scott.

"I don't reckon he ever really got over you," Alicia continued.

Will slid an arm around Frankie. "Well he's really got no choice anymore does he?"

"Suppose not," Alicia said quietly.

"Maybe we can get a whole group of people," Frankie suggested. "Like we used to do after we all got out of school. And it would give everyone a chance to get to know Will better." she smiled at her fiancé who relaxed.

"What is it you like to do for fun William?" Alicia asked. "Read?"

"Sure," Will replied. "Or I'll take my nieces and nephews to the park. Or I'll just come here and do something with Frankie."

"We had the best time the other day at the park," Frankie told her friend. "Will and I took the kids out and they all played football. It was the cutest thing, Alicia. You should have seen..."

"Do you think I should change my hair colour?" Alicia interjected.

"Are you a natural blonde?" Will returned.

Alicia glared at him. "Of course I'm a natural blonde!"

"Just curious," Will's eyes twinkled at Frankie when she looked at him.

"As I was saying," Frankie continued. "Mia and Caroline decided to take on the boys all by themselves so it was me and the girls against Will and his nephews...."

"You aren't pregnant are you?" Alicia asked. "You always said you were never going to have any snot nosed brats of your own."

Frankie stared at her friend. "No, Alicia. I'm not, but thank you for asking. And I never said anything like that..."

"You said that just a few months ago," Alicia replied.

"Well things change," Frankie said smiling at Will. "And we hope to someday have a family of our own."

Alicia laughed. "I certainly hope you don't expect me to baby sit."

"We wouldn't dream of it," Will said. "We wouldn't want you break a nail or anything."

"Excuse me?" Alicia glared at him.

"We just wouldn't want to put you out," Frankie said hastily. She wanted Will and Alicia to like each other and from the way this was going, that seemed very unlikely.

Will reached for another slice of pizza. "Do you want anything to drink?" he asked Frankie.

"Could you get me another glass of wine?" Frankie asked.

"Sure," Will gave her a kiss. "Alicia?"

"Oh," Alicia said handing him her glass. "Yes please."

"I'll be right back," he replied.

"I know you two are different," Frankie said once he was in the kitchen. "But Lee, please try and get along with him. I'm going to marry him."

"It's your funeral," Alicia said keeping her voice low. "Come on Franks. He's so bor-ing! He writes textbooks!"

"He loves me," Frankie replied quietly. "And I love him. And he may not be as party crazy as we all are but that's one of the things I like about him."

"But he's changing you," Alicia pouted. "You stay in all the time now. And you're hanging out with that other girl all the time."

"Maddie?" Frankie asked. "I helped her decorate her flat. And she's a close family friend." she leaned forward. "Alicia, you're hard to get a hold of half the time too you know."

"You went dress shopping with her and your sisters," Alicia continued. "And I'm supposed to be your best friend. I love your sisters, Franks, but they have no sense of fashion."

"They have plenty," Frankie narrowed her eyes. "Chiaki looks gorgeous no matter what she's in."

"Well she can kiss her figure goodbye," Alicia said. "And don't even get me started on Allison..."

Frankie crossed her arms. "Don't you even think about saying anything bad about my family." she said coolly.

"I wasn't going to say anything bad about them," Alicia said defensively. "They're both lovely girls."

"Let's keep it that way," Frankie's eyes were flashing dangerously as Will came back in the room.

"I spoke with Ethan today," Will said handing the girls their glasses. "He told me about what you did for him with Saffron. That's really great Frankie."

"He would have been in the doghouse otherwise," Frankie's demeanour lightened. "She was so angry at him."

"Apparently she's very happy with him at the moment," Will said. "I can't wait to meet this Saffron. She seems like quite the spitfire."

"She's funny as hell," Frankie said, biting into another cheesy slice of pizza. "And really smart too. She could probably give you a run for your money," she grinned at Will and leaned into his side.

"Another child?" Alicia asked examining her nails. "Frankie, why don't you just become a teacher?"

"She's fourteen Alicia," Frankie rolled her eyes. "That's hardly a child."

"Do you still have that Mocha polish?" Alicia asked.

"I think I do somewhere," Frankie said. "Let me check the loo."

"Thanks," Alicia said. "And can you bring a nail file, too? I cannot believe how bad my nails are. I haven't had them done in three days."

"Sure," Frankie said. "Be right back."

Will took a swig of his beer as he stared at Alicia thinking of something to say that wasn't rude or impolite. He wanted to make an effort for Frankie.

"So are you dating anyone?" Will asked. "Perhaps we could double..."

"I don't get serious," Alicia said. "Relationships are too much trouble."

"Sometimes it can be worth it," Will said. "When you find the right person."

Alicia shrugged. "Then I guess I've found about ten of the right person."

Will bit back a sarcastic remark when he saw Frankie come back into the room.

"I didn't have anymore of the Mocha, but this is Coffee Bean," Frankie said handing the bottle to her friend.

"Coffee bean?" Will asked amused. "Mocha? Where do they get these colours from?"

"They're shades of brown William," Alicia said disdainfully.

"Oh," Will said with a forced smile. "Of course they are."

"They're not much different, this one's just a touch darker," Frankie said as Alicia began to coat the polish over her nails.

Will picked up a piece of pizza and laughed when Frankie plucked one of the pepperonis off and stuffed it in her mouth. "I thought you only liked mushrooms."

"I like pepperoni sometimes," she said, picking off another piece and holding it out to him.

Will opened his mouth but Frankie pulled it away at the last second and popped it into her mouth. "Francesca!"

"Sorry," she laughed. "Here."

"Thank you," he said opening his mouth again.

"Aren't you two sweet?" Alicia commented before blowing on her nails. "I’m bored."

Frankie laughed as Will pulled the pepperoni from her fingers. "Well if I had a telly we could watch a movie."

"You could come out with me," Alicia said excitedly. "We haven't gone out in ages!"

"I've got an early meeting tomorrow," Frankie replied.

"Never stopped you before," Alicia said. "Come Franks. We'll have such a laugh!'

"I'm going to stay in tonight Lee." Frankie said. "Will's just gotten back from a research trip and we haven't gotten to spend a lot of time together either."

"Fine," Alicia grumbled. "I bet if Maggie wanted to do something you'd go with her..."

"Her name's Maddie actually," Will corrected.

"Fine, Maddie," Alicia rolled her eyes. "Since you seem to like her so much more these days--"

"That's not true and you know it," Frankie said. "Lee, I'm allowed to have other friends, aren't I?"

"You've just gotten boring since you got engaged," Alicia said point blank.

"I'm the same person I've always been," Frankie argued.

"Sure," Alicia said. "Well I'm going to go have some fun somewhere. You two sit and enjoy your pre married life."

"Maybe we can meet for lunch sometime next week," Frankie offered.

"Sure if you're not too busy with your new best friend," Alicia sniffed.

"You'd like Maddie if you gave her the chance," Frankie said. "She's really sweet and she and Ethan were there for me when I really needed them, Lee."

"Well bring her out sometime," Alicia said without conviction. "We'll see if she fits in with the group." she gazed at Will, barely masking her scorn.

"Yeah," Frankie said giving her friend a hug. "See you Lee."

"Bye Franks," Alicia said. "Will."

"That went well," Frankie said after she shut the door behind Alicia.

"She's a complete airhead," Will replied.

"Will," Frankie said with a sigh. "She's my best friend."

"And she hates me," Will pointed out.

"She just doesn't know you," Frankie said. "I feel like I'm right in the middle. It's not fair. She hates it when I spend time with you or when we hang out with Ethan and Maddie."

Will reached for her. "I'm sorry," he said. "I don't want you to feel like you have to choose between me and your friends."

"You're not," she said. "It's just Alicia was really cross with me for going dress shopping without her. If I waited for her, I'd have been 80 years old. She's so flighty."

"I'm not going to say a word about that," Will kissed the top of her head.

"Good," she said leaning against him. "Let's go finish that pizza. I don't care how many fat grams or calories there are. We'll just work them off later."

Will kissed her lips hungrily. "Are you thinking the same thing I am Longbottom?"

"You know very well that I am," she said grinning at him.

"Well if say I was to pick up an extra large pizza next time does that mean we'd have these activities for a longer period of time?" he asked slyly.

Frankie laughed. "That sounds about right."

"I'll have to keep that in mind," he said huskily.

"I'm not boring am I?" she asked him as they sat back down. "I'm still as much fun as I ever was."

"You were never boring to me," Will said honestly. "This is going to sound corny as hell but I've always thought you light up a room."

Frankie beamed at him. "Will! That's so sweet!"

He grinned. "You're very noticeable." he said, leaning in. "I've had my eye on you for a long time now..."

"Have you?" Frankie asked with a giggle. "I've had my eye on you too."

"Good thing I managed to snag you up then," Will grinned, leaning closer.

"You know," Frankie said softly. "We could always finish the pizza afterwards..."

"We do know magic," Will agreed. "We can keep it warm while we--"

Frankie cut him off with a kiss. "You know I've always loved cold pizza."

"Well I'll put a warming charm on mine then," Will said, kissing her again.

"William!" Frankie chastised. "Are you more concerned with keeping your pizza warm? Or would you rather...."

"I'll tell you what I'd rather do right now," Will said, pressing his mouth to hers. "And it doesn't involve eating... or moving off this sofa."

"Mmm," Frankie said forgetting all about pizza, Alicia and her job. None of that mattered right now.

*** *** ***

Easter was always a big deal around the Burrow and Molly spent most of the week leading up to the big event planning out her menu. She never settled on a head count because someone always ended up bringing a guest or two and threw everything out of whack. This year promised to be quite the big event with the Potter and Longbottom families joining in on the festivities. Arthur currently had all the kids outside with Fred and George leading them on an Easter Egg hunt.

Jon was eyeing the chocolate chip biscuits that had been taunting him all afternoon. Nana had shooed him and Josh both every time they came anywhere near the platter.

"Nana," Jon said pulling his most charming face. "Caroline wants a biscuit."

Molly shook her head. "I already gave Caroline a biscuit, Jon. And Emma, too. You would get a lot further if you'd just ask instead of trying this subterfuge."

"Can I have a biscuit Nana?" Jon asked, giving her his most innocent face.

"No," Molly answered. "You'll spoil your dinner. And not all of our guests are here yet, Jonathan."

"Just one?" Jon pleaded.

Molly sighed. "Okay, but just one. And don't tell your brother."

"I won't," Jon said, giving his grandmother a kiss. "And I definitely won't tell Dad."

"Now get out of this kitchen and let me finish cooking," Molly said shooing him.

Maddie grinned at her brother as he came back into the sitting room. "You've got a bit of chocolate on your lip, Jon."

"Thanks Mad Dog," Jon wiped off his face. "Where's Ethan?"

"He's coming later with his family," Maddie explained. "They went to church with his grandparents."

"How do you like living with him?" Jon asked, sitting next to her.

"I love it," she answered as a dreamy expression came over her face. "It's better than I imagined it could be..."

"He's still treating you right?" Jon asked, half serious.

"Yes," she said laughing. "No need to get all big brothery on me Jon."

"You're my baby sister," Jon grinned at her. "Even when you get old, wrinkly and ugly you'll still be my baby sister."

Maddie elbowed him. "Thanks Jon."

"Daddy!" Caroline called out excitedly running into the room. "I found the mostest!" She dumped her basket of eggs on the carpet.

Emma toddled in with Allison and held her hands out to Maddie. "Mad!"

"Hi Emma," Maddie grinned and picked her up. "How's my little angel today?"

"Sweepy," she replied softly resting her head on Maddie's shoulder.

Josh came downstairs looking very cross. "Will someone please tell R.J. to get out of the bloody bathroom? He's been in there since we got here. I have to---"

"He's getting ready for Alexa," Jon grinned.

"That's right," Josh said momentarily forgetting he had to go to the bathroom. "The girlfriend."

"Apparently this one's a big deal too," Jon said. "So you know what this means right?"

"You're both going to be on your best behaviour?" Maddie interjected.

Both Jon and Josh gave her identical devilish grins.

"Don't give him a hard time," Maddie warned them. "He really fancies her. Promise me you won't---"

"Something smells good," R.J. said coming downstairs.

"It must be Alexa's perfume," Jon cracked; ready to start taking the Mickey out of his brother.

"Is she here?" R.J. asked looking around for her.

Josh clapped his brother on the back. "Take it easy lover boy. She's not here yet." With a wink at Jon, he ran upstairs to the loo.

"So R.J.," Jon said. "Tell us more about this girl..."

R.J. wasn't about to give his brothers any ammunition. He could still remember how bad they teased him about Juliet last summer in Brighton.

"Look at all my eggs, Uncle R.J.," Caroline said motioning for him to join her on the carpet.

"Those are great Caroline," R.J. ignored Jon who was already cackling. "You look like you got the most!"

"I did," Caroline said proudly. "Grandpa said we were going to hunt again once Katie and Ashley get here."

"That sounds like a lot of fun," R.J. grinned at his young niece.

Josh came back downstairs and he sat down beside Maddie who shot him a look.

"So she's coming with Saffy?" Josh asked his younger brother.

"Yes," R.J. said rolling his eyes. "I've told you that already Josh."

Josh grinned as his rather pregnant wife came into the room. She was six months along but quite large- and they'd be announcing to the family that day why Lizzy was so big. "Are you counting down the minutes R.J.? Waiting to pull her into a dark corner for a snog?"

"Yeah, want us to go dig out some of the mistletoe from Christmas so you have an excuse?" Jon didn't miss a beat.

R.J. glared at his two brothers. "If you two embarrass me..."

"Would we do that?" Jon and Josh chorused.

"In a heartbeat," R.J. grumbled.

"I'll make sure they behave R.J.," Maddie told him.

"If they don't I'll have Saf send them Howlers," R.J. glared at his brothers.

"Oooooh," Josh said shuddering.

"Ease up on your brother," Ron said coming into the room with Luna.

"Awwww Dad," Jon grumbled. "You're ruining our fun."

Luna sat down with her son and Caroline on the floor. "You nervous R.J.?"

"No," R.J. said unconvincingly. "It's just Lex."

"I imagine she's pretty nervous," Luna said smiling reassuringly at him. "It's quite a lot of people to meet at one time."

"Yeah at least she knows Saf though," R.J. replied, running his fingers through his hair. "She's kind of shy so I hope the wanker twins won't embarrass her."

"That's a bad word Uncle R.J.." Caroline looked up at him.

"I'm sorry Caroline," R.J. said mussing her hair. "I shouldn't have said it."

"Mummy tells Daddy when he says bad words that she's going to wash his mouth out with soap," Caroline said busily placing her eggs back in her pink basket.

"Your daddy must eat a lot of soap then," R.J. said.

"Daddy," Caroline called. "Does Mummy really make you eat soap when you say bad words?"

"Yes," Jon said grinning at Allison. "All the time."

R.J. snorted and rolled his eyes. "Somehow I'm guessing he doesn't mean soap."

"Allie," Maddie said gingerly getting to her feet so she wouldn't wake Emma. "I think I'll go put her down if that's okay?"

"Sure," Allison said. "Thanks Maddie."

"Be right back," Maddie said. She looked over her shoulder at her twin brothers. "If she gets here before I get back, behave."

"Sure Mad Dog," Jon said. "Whatever you say."

Maddie just shook her head as she took baby Emma upstairs.

"So will they be arriving by Floo or front door?" Josh asked. "That way you know what way to run when they arrive."

"They're coming by portkey," R.J. snapped.

"Ronnie Jr what's with the hostility?" Jon asked. "We just want to know more about the girl that's got you all hot and bothered."

"I am not all hot and bothered Jon!" R.J. said angrily getting to his feet.

The doorbell rang and the colour drained from R.J.'s face.

"She's here!" Jon teased as Josh let out a cooing sort of howl.

"Boys," Luna warned.

Just outside the door Alexa tried to calm her nerves and she gripped the basket in her hands.

"Breathe Lex," Saffron said smiling at her friend. "It's going to be okay."

"I'm all nerved up about his brothers," Alexa whispered. "What if they make R.J. angry like you said they did last year and he doesn't want to go out anymore?"

"They're harmless," Saffron told her. "And I told you, if they tease you it means they like you."

"If they give you any trouble you just let me know," Ethan told her. "I'll rough them up for you."

"Thanks Ethan," Alexa smiled at him.

"Since when do you ring the doorbell?" Ron asked opening the door. "It's my favourite family aside from my own!"

"Hi Uncle Ron!" Saffron said giving him a hug. "Happy Easter!"

"Happy Easter Saffy," Ron kissed her cheek. "You got taller!"

"Or you could be shrinking," Saffron teased.

Harry laughed. "That'll be the day," he shook hands with his best friend.

"And who's this?" Ron asked his gaze falling on the girl standing beside Hermione and looking terrified.

"This is Alexa O'Leary," Hermione said putting her hand on the girl's shoulder.

"Ah," Ron smiled at her. "It's lovely to meet you Alexa. R.J.'s been waiting for you to arrive all morning."

Alexa smiled. "Thank you so much for asking me over, Mr. Weasley."

Her hands were shaking as she handed him the basket. "My mum owns a bakery. She thought it would be nice if she sent over some of her fudge."

"I already like your mum," Ron grinned. "Chocolate in this house is like gold."

"Let them inside Ron," Luna said coming up behind him.

Ron stepped aside, already rooting through the large basket of fudge. "I'm going to hide this..." he said, heading for his old bedroom.

Luna laughed and turned her attention to Alexa. "R.J.'s told us so much about you, Alexa. We feel like we know you already."

"He's talked a lot about you both as well," Alexa said shyly, staying close to Saffron.

"We're really glad you could join us today," Luna said. "R.J.'s in the sitting room with his brothers and niece.”

"Okay," Alexa said nervously. "I'm um... I'll go in and say hi then."

"I'll go with you," Saffron said taking her friend's hand. "Come on, Lex. It's going to be okay."

"I know," Alexa replied, her stomach filled with butterflies. She was always nervous when meeting new people and this was absolutely no exception.

"Hi everyone!" Saffron said as she and Alexa entered the sitting room.

"Hey Saf," R.J. got up. "Hi Lex." he grinned at her, turning his back on his brothers. "I'm glad you're here."

"Me too," she said smiling up at him. "I brought some fudge from my mum's shop, but your dad took it."

"I know his hiding spots," R.J. replied. "I'll nick some of it later on." he took her hand. "Let me introduce you to everyone, except those two." he pointed at his twin brothers who wore innocent smiles on their faces.

"Okay," Alexa said feeling a little more relaxed.

"This is the sweetest member of our family," R.J. said motioning to Caroline. "Along with her little sister Emma who is kipping at the moment. Alexa, meet Caroline."

"Hello," Caroline smiled up at her. "You have pretty hair!"

"Thank you," Alexa said grinning at her. She looked at the little girl's basket. "Did you find all of those?"

"Outside in the back," the girl nodded. "I'm a good finder!"

"I can see that," Alexa said.

"These two ladies here are my sisters-in-law," R.J. said bringing Alexa over to the sofa. "This is Caroline's mum Allie. And this is Lizzy, who is soon to be a mum."

"It's lovely to meet you both," Alexa shook both their hands.

"And now that we've met everyone in here," R.J. started to say.

"Hold on," Josh said getting to his feet. "Aren't you forgetting your older brothers?"

"I think that's everyone," R.J. ignored Josh.

"Hello Alexa," Jon said extending his hand to the girl. "I'm Jon and this is Josh."

"Hello," Alexa said, feeling nervous again. "It's nice to meet you both."

"Why don't you give her a tour of the house?" Josh suggested. "You know find a nice corner and-"

"Come on Lex," R.J. said glaring at Josh. "I want you to meet my Nana."

"Josh be nice," Lizzy gave him a warning look.

"I'm getting a vision," Maddie teased, coming into the room. "Of two identical redheads sleeping on sofas tonight if they don't behave."

"I think that's a very distinct possibility," Allison said looking at Jon. "Jon, you do remember how you felt when you came over to my house for dinner when we were dating, don't you?"

"Yeah," Jon nodded. "What of it?"

"You remember how nervous you were?" Allison asked. "How you wanted to make a good impression."

"How he was afraid Uncle Neville was going to AK him," R.J. chimed in glad to know the females in his family were on his side.

"Exactly," Allison narrowed her eyes at her husband. "You just remember that Jonathan."

"And you too Joshua," Lizzy said glaring at him. "You two seem to forget that there was a time when you were going through this exact same thing..."

"It's really okay," Alexa said blushing.

R.J. smiled. "Come on. Nana's in the kitchen and she really wants to meet you." he took her hand.

"Okay," Alexa said allowing him to lead her to the kitchen.

"I'm glad you're here," R.J. said. "I'm glad your parents let you come for today."

"Me too," she said. "I hope your dad likes my mum's fudge."

R.J. laughed. "I hope he doesn't eat it all." he replied. "And if I tell my brothers about it, I know for sure he won't get another bite."

"You weren't kidding about them giving you a hard time," Alexa said with a laugh.

"That was tame," R.J. said. "They were really bad before you arrived."

"Sorry I missed it," she joked. It really meant a lot to her that he wanted her to meet his family and although she was nervous, she was finding it wasn't nearly as bad as she'd expected.

"Ronald Junior," two pretty girls echoed coming out of the kitchen right before he and Alexa walked in.

"Not you two too," R.J. said shooting his twin sisters a pleading look.

"Oh shush R.J., we're not going to embarrass you in front of your girlfriend." one of them with stylishly bobbed red hair smiled. "I'm Drew- R.J.'s older sister."

"And I'm Darla," the other one said. "His other older sister."

"It's nice to meet you both," Alexa said smiling warmly at them.

"They decided to grace us with their presence today," R.J. teased. "Drew and Darla have pretty much disowned us..."

"We're just busy," Drew said. "We run a wedding planning business." she told the younger girl.

"It does keep us rather busy," Darla added. "We normally live in Ireland but we spend a good part of the year in the Caribbean."

"I've always wanted to go there," Alexa said wistfully.

Molly poked her head out of the kitchen. "R.J. is your friend here?"

"She's here," R.J. said taking Alexa's hand again. Drew and Darla smiled at Alexa before heading toward the sitting room.

"R.J. told us you were pretty," Molly said smiling at her. "But he hardly did you justice, Alexa."

Alexa blushed. "Thank you," she said shyly.

"And we've heard all about you from Saffron," Molly said grinning at her. "And once my husband finds out your family is Muggles, he'll hardly give you one moment of peace."

"Grandpa loves Muggles," R.J. explained to Alexa.

"I'd be happy to tell him anything he wants to know," she volunteered.

"Famous last words," Molly said handing Alexa plate of biscuits. "Eat up child."

"Can I have some too Nana?" R.J. asked.

"You'll spoil your dinner," Molly replied.

"But you let Lexie--" R.J. started to protest.

"I'll only have a few," Alexa said. "I have a bit of a small stomach." she winked at R.J. before slipping a few of the biscuits into her pocket.

R.J. beamed at her and when Molly wasn't looking, he pecked Alexa on the cheek.

"Come on," he said. "I'll show you the garden out back. You've got to see the pond." he looked at his grandmother. "Nana when's dinner?"

"About half an hour," Molly said. "You two have fun and if you see your grandfather please tell him I need his help."

"We will," R.J. wove their fingers together as he pulled his girlfriend out the back door.

Alexa started to say something but R.J. stopped her by pulling her into a kiss the moment they back door shut.

"I've been..." he kissed her again. "Waiting for that since we were on the train..."

"Me too," Alexa admitted putting her arms around his neck. "I've missed you."

R.J. ran his fingers through her long red curls. "I missed you too Lex."

"R.J.?" Alexa asked. "What if someone sees?"

"Let's go by the pond," R.J. said. "No one will be over there."

"Okay," she said smiling at him.

R.J. led her through the woods towards the pond which had been one of his favourite places at the Burrow while growing up. "Wait until you see this place in the summer." he said. "It's the best swimming hole."

Alexa felt her heart swell at the mention of her coming back here during the summer. It reminded her of something else. "Um R.J.?"

"What?" he asked.

"About this summer," she began feeling her cheeks go red. "Saffy sort of asked if I'd---well, if I'd want to come with you and your families to Brighton."

"You're coming to Brighton?" he grinned.

"I asked my parents," Alexa said. "And they said I could go. That's okay isn't it?"

"That's fantastic," he said. "You'll love Brighton. The beach there is great and we have a boat too."

"Saffy used to owl me and tell me how much fun you had," Alexa said. "She was always trying to get me to go..."

"And so that means I had a big part in your wanting to go this year?" R.J. teased, leaning in.

"Well," Alexa said. "It really was the boat that did it for me."

R.J. laughed. "Tease."

Alexa kissed him softly. "Did you tell your dad about the scout?" she asked when they pulled apart. "The one that's been coming to see you play?"

"Yeah," R.J. said. "He was almost as excited as me."

"The bloke's been to every match since Christmas," Alexa said grinning at him. "I think it's safe to say what you'll be doing after you graduate."

"I hope so," R.J. replied. "It's what I've planned on doing ever since I was a kid."

"What about your photographs?" Alexa asked remembering how he'd shown her the portfolio he'd assembled. "You're quite good at that too."

"It's a good fallback," R.J. said. "Maybe you'll pose for me sometime."

Alexa blushed. "I hate the way I look in photographs, especially with my braces!"

"You look good with braces," R.J. said. "I'm going to have to fight the blokes away once you get them off."

"Not hardly," she said nudging him.

"I have it on good authority that there are a few Gryffindor guys who think you're quite cute." R.J. grinned as she blushed.

"First years who don't know any better," she said laughing.

"Try sixth years," he replied.

"I only care about one sixth year," she said resting her head on his shoulder.

"As long as his initials are RW..." R.J. said softly. "Then that's all I need to hear."

"They are," she said. "And do you want to know something else? He makes me so happy."

R.J. grinned. "I bet I know a way he can make you happier."

"I don't see how that's possible," she said looking up at him.

"Let me try it," he whispered, his lips barely brushing hers.

"That's a really nice way to start," she whispered as he pulled her closer.

He kissed her hard, tasting her mouth before dragging his lips down her neck.

Alexa closed her eyes enjoying how this felt. "R.J...."

"You're better than that fudge you brought," R.J. said.

"You haven't tasted any of it yet," Alexa pointed out.

"And I don't need to," R.J. kissed her again.

Alexa felt light-headed as she felt herself relaxing in his warm embrace. She never wanted to stop kissing him.

"Damn Lex..." R.J. said several minutes later when they parted.

"Wow," was all Alexa could say.

"Yeah," he replied tucking her hair behind her ear. "We um... we should probably get back for dinner."

Alexa nodded and they started walking back toward the house. "So do you think they like me?"

"Of course they do," R.J. assured her. "They'll like you even more when they get to know you."

Alexa grinned. "You know my parents want to meet you too. Of course, I don't have quite as large a family."

"They probably want to meet me before we all go to Brighton," R.J. said.

"They do," Alexa said.

"Understandable," R.J. said. "Maybe we'll try and work something out before we go back to school; otherwise we'll go right after we get back for summer hols."

"I'd like that," Alexa said giving him one last kiss before they went back inside the Burrow.

Saffron was working on her older sister. "Are you taking the job or not Jules? Come on, you can tell me."

"What job is this?" R.J. asked.

"My sister might teach DADA next year!" Saffron said excitedly.

"That's fantastic!" R.J. said grinning at Julie. "Maybe you'll manage to break the mould and stay more than one year..."

"I never said I was taking it," Julie glared at her little sister. "Saffy you weren't supposed to say anything!"

"I couldn't help it!" Saffy said beaming at her. "Come on, Jules. You've spoken to Dumbledore about 10 times in the past week. Dad told me..."

"He wasn't supposed to say anything either," Julie replied. "And the fact of the matter is I don't know yet. There are some things that have to be worked out before I would take this job."

"He didn't say anything to me," Saffron explained. "I might have overheard him talking to Mum."

"Come on Jules," R.J. urged. "You have to take it!"

"I'm not passing you on default," Julie smiled at R.J..

"My DADA marks are top notch," R.J. said defensively.

"Only with my help," Saffron snorted.

"I did manage to make it through two years at Hogwarts without you Saf," R.J. said tugging on her plaits.

"Just barely," she retorted with a grin at Alexa. "What were you two doing out there?"

"We just took a walk," Alexa said sharing a smile with R.J.. "He showed me the pond."

"Ah ha," Saffron laughed. "So that means you two snogged."

Alexa turned red. "Saffy!"

"Did ickle Ronniekins Junior get a snog?" Josh asked his ears perking up at this. "Jon mate! Come here!"

"Oh man," R.J. glared at Saffron. "You had to open your bloody mouth!"

Saffron looked apologetically at him. "I didn't know he could hear!"

"Everyone!" Lizzy called out, deciding to save both her brother-in-law and Alexa from embarrassment but to also give everyone the good news. "Josh and I have an announcement to make!"

"You're going to tell them now?" Josh asked. "But I wanted to take the Mickey out of R.J. for awhile!"

"Would you rather share our good news or be an arse to your brother?" Lizzy asked him.

"Do you really need to ask us that Liz?" Jon asked with a grin.

"Can't we do both?" Josh asked.

"Everyone gather around," Lizzy said shaking her head at her husband. "Come on!"

"What's going on?" Ron asked, hiding several of his mother's biscuits behind his back.

"Well," Lizzy said taking Josh's hand. "Josh and I found out some good news recently..."

"Did you find out the sex of the baby?" Hermione asked.

"You could say that," Lizzy said grinning. "We're having a boy...."

Everyone started to offer their congratulations but Lizzy held them off. "And a boy..."

"And a girl," Josh finished with a grin. "Lizzy and I are having triplets!"

"Triplets?" Luna asked. "Oh Joshua!"

Josh grinned. "When I do things I do them right!"

"You didn't do it alone," Jon said slapping his brother on the back. "Congratulations mate."

"Thanks," Josh grinned broadly at his twin.

Allison hugged her best friend as best she could. "Liz! You didn't tell me!"

"Surprise," Lizzy laughed. "I'm sorry Allie. But we really wanted to tell everyone all at once."

"No need to apologise," Allison said grinning at her. "This is fantastic news!"

"That poor little girl with two brothers," Drew said laughing as she gave Josh a hug.

"She'll have Caroline and Emma as her allies," Jon grinned. "Whereas I'm swarming in Estrogen Josh and his boys will have Lizzy and your daughter outnumbered."

"What's Daddy talking about Mummy?" Caroline asked Allison.

"Sweetheart you know how we told you Aunt Lizzy was going to have a baby?" Allison asked.

Caroline nodded.

"Well she's going to have two little boys, and one little girl like you and Emma." Allison smoothed back a stray wisp of Caroline's hair.

"Three babies?" Caroline asked in disbelief. "All at one time?"

"All at once," Allison laughed.

"That's good that they'll have each other in there and won't be lonely," Caroline said matter-of-factly pointing at Lizzy's stomach. .

"That's right Caroline," Lizzy laughed. "You just put a great perspective on things."

"I'm going to have to start on three blankets," Molly said wiping at her eyes. "There's not much time!"

"I'll help you," Allison offered. "I'd love to learn how to knit."

"I already know how," Saffron said. "So I can help too if you want."

"Congratulations Healer Weasley," Alexa said approaching Lizzy.

"You can call me Lizzy," she said smiling at the girl. "No need to be so formal."

"Okay," Alexa said. "I'm sorry- my parents always taught me to be respectful and--"

Lizzy shook her head. "No, Alexa. I wasn't trying to....my friends call me Lizzy. That's why I said you can call me that."

"I'm sorry," Alexa tucked her hair behind her ears. She hated it that she was so shy around people she didn't know.

"No need to apologise," Lizzy said reassuringly. She leaned in so no one else could hear. "I know its a little nerve wracking to be thrown in with this lot all at once, but you're doing just fine."

"Thanks," Alexa felt more at ease with the pretty blonde.

"And if anyone gives you any trouble, you just let me or Allie know," Lizzy said winking at her. "We'll give them what for."

"Ethan's already offered to take care of that," Alexa said. "And Saffy offered to send Howlers since we can't do magic outside of school."

Lizzy laughed. "It's official then. You're one of us."

"What are you two talking about?" R.J. joined them. "How to take down those prats I have for brothers?"

"Yes," Lizzy said. "Any ideas?"

"Tar and feathers?" R.J. offered.

"Next time Jon gives you a hard time," Lizzy said motioning for Alexa and R.J. to come closer. "Call him 'Boo Bear'. I think that'll shut him up."

R.J. howled with laughter. "Where'd you hear that?"

"I can't reveal my sources," Lizzy said winking at the two teenagers, "and if anyone asks you didn't hear it from me. And as for Josh, just ask him about that poetry he used to write..."

"Lizzy you're the best," R.J. looked like he won the lottery. "I'm suddenly really looking forward to the rest of today..."

56. Chapter 56

A/N: We hope you all enjoy the return of a certain character in this chapter and here also enters someone who is going to cause Maddie and Ethan some trouble in the future.

As always, thank you for your continued support in this LONG, LONG story, and please let us know what you think!

Ethan arrived at the Ministry's cafeteria and looked around for his girlfriend's blonde head. They had agreed to meet for a late lunch that day but it looked like Maddie wasn't there yet. He got himself something to eat and was scanning the room for a place to sit when he saw a familiar brunette sitting nearby.

"This seat taken?" he asked with a grin.

Bree looked up from her newspaper and grinned back at him. "Ethan!"

"How are you?" he asked, setting down his tray.

"I'm good," Bree said folding her paper and setting it aside. "Working really hard, but I'm sure you know how that is."

"You?" Ethan pretended to look shocked. "Work hard? I'd have never thought!"

"I know shock, horror!" Bree said laughing. "But you have to do that with a new job."

Ethan laughed. "How do you like working here?"

"I love it," Bree said smiling at him. "I really do. But, what about you? How's things going fighting evil?"

"It's been going pretty well," he said. "I mean, it's a lot more difficult than I thought it would be. And it keeps me really busy."

Bree grinned. "That's great. I remember how you used to fall asleep on the sofa with your training manuals and I'd fall asleep with my big textbooks. And now look at us, both doing exactly what we always dreamed we'd be doing!"

"Tell me about it," Ethan agreed. "Things with Maddie are going great too. Did um... did Sarah tell you that Mads and I moved in together?"

"When she comes up for air from Justin," Bree joked. "Yes, she did tell me. I'm really happy for you Ethan."

"She has Justin completely whipped," Ethan shook his head.

Bree rolled her eyes. "Do you know they're still doing that thing...you remember, right? Baby talking with each other? It's so surreal so hear these adults talking to each other like that!"

Ethan snorted. "You mean like "Your wittle eyes light up my wittle life?"

Bree laughed. "Yes! Exactly like that! Do you remember how we used to do it just to make fun of them?"

"I'm going to bug him so bad later," Ethan's eyes gleamed. "He went out to lunch with her- they probably went to a bloody nursery or something just so they fit in."

"We sure know how to pick our friends, don't we?" Bree said still laughing.

Ethan shook his head. "Thank goodness we're the mature ones," he deadpanned.

"Oh yes," Bree said before taking a sip of her soda. She noticed Ethan's choice of sandwich and she shook her head. "You're still eating those, eh? Speaking of mature..."

"What's wrong with peanut butter and jelly?" he asked.

"At least you didn't ask them to cut the crusts off," Bree teased.

"I like my crusts," Ethan grinned. "So what's new with you aside from working here?"

"Nothing much," she said brushing a strand of her hair behind her ear. "I've actually just started seeing someone."

"You did?" Ethan asked. "What's he like?"

"He's an American," Bree said conversationally, her eyes lighting up as she spoke about him. "He's over here on an exchange program with our Ministry. He's really smart and funny and...."

"Totally to die for?" Ethan teased, batting his eyes.

"I was gushing, wasn't I?" Bree said blushing. "I promise you that Mason and I don't and never will do the baby talk thing."

"So his name's Mason," Ethan nodded. "Should I check this bloke out? Check out his background?"

"He's fine, Auror Potter," Bree said reaching across the table and swatting Ethan on the arm. "You have nothing to worry about."

"Just making sure," Ethan grinned back at her. "You know, don't take this the wrong way, but you've loosened up a lot."

"So I guess you're saying I was boring before?" she asked raising an eyebrow at him.

"There you go again," Ethan shook his head but was smiling. "Putting words in my mouth I never said."

"It's okay," she said laughing. "I was kind of serious before, but you know life isn't all about work and school."

Ethan blinked. "I did not just hear Breeana Eve Coltrane say that."

"I'm not the same girl you used to know," she said.

"I guess not." Ethan replied. "But she wasn't a bad girl either."

Bree smiled across the table at him. It was nice to talk to him like this. When they'd broken up, he'd said he hoped they could remain friends. At the time, she'd been too hurt to even consider it as anything more than a cliché. But talking with him now and with them being connected through Justin and Sarah perhaps they could be friends.

"Thanks Ethan."

Maddie entered the cafeteria armed with an apology for being late. The department had discovered a new Seer over the weekend and he was due to come in that day to meet with them. She spotted her boyfriend across the room and started to make her way over to him.

Ethan and Bree were laughing about another Justin and Sarah story when Ethan spotted Maddie. He waved her over.

"I was beginning to think you stood me up," he said pecking her on the cheek.

"I'm so sorry," she apologised. "It's been a busy day down there." she sat down. "Hello Bree." she smiled at the other woman. "I'm glad someone was here keeping Ethan company."

"I took pity on the lonely soul and let him eat with me," Bree said grinning at Maddie. "It's good to see you again Madeline."

"You too," Maddie said, helping herself to the rest of Ethan's sandwich.

"Mads?" Ethan asked. "Would you like some of my sandwich?"

"Thank you," Maddie said with a charming smile. "I'd also love a Fizzy if they have any raspberry ones up there."

"I'll be right back," Ethan said getting to his feet. "Bree, you want anything?"

"I'm fine," Bree said. "Thank you though."

Ethan smiled at the two women before leaving them to get what Maddie wanted and perhaps another sandwich.

"I wanted to apologise," Bree said when they were alone.

"For what?" Maddie asked.

"For Sarah actually," Bree said pushing her tray aside. "I know she wasn't very nice to you..."

"Oh that's fine," Maddie replied. "She really wasn't very rude. I think it was more a misunderstanding but now everything's quite lovely."

"Good," Bree said smiling at Maddie. "I had no idea she was acting like that."

"That one time we ran into you, you certainly didn't seem to hold a grudge." Maddie replied. "And I'm glad you're not angry about me and Ethan."

"I won't lie to you and say I wasn't really hurt," Bree said. "I did really love Ethan, Maddie. But, things don't work out all the time. And I'm a firm believer that everything happens for a reason. And that wasn't your fault. It was just the way things were. We were having problems long before you came along."

"I fancied him when we were kids," Maddie confessed. "And I never really thought he'd see me the way he does now."

"He's a great guy," Bree said. "And you make him very happy, Maddie."

"I certainly hope so," Maddie replied softly.

"Here you go," Ethan said coming over with another tray of food. "Your Fizzy and another peanut butter and jelly sandwich for me."

"Not even half for me?" Maddie asked, widening her blue eyes and appearing as innocent as could be.

"You see what I'm up against?" Ethan asked looking at Bree.

Bree laughed. "You've got your hands full Ethan. And I'm on Maddie's side. You should get your girlfriend some lunch."

Maddie grinned. "Two against one!"

"You women," Ethan shook his head. "It's a miracle I don't starve with your bloody appetite." he said to Maddie.

"Are you complaining?" she asked cutting into the sandwich eagerly.

"Of course I'm not," Ethan said. "I take the bad with the good."

A tall bloke with sandy blonde hair came over to join them and by the way Bree's face lit up when she saw him, Ethan had no problem figuring out who he was.

"Mason!" she got up. "I wasn't expecting you so soon."

"I managed to get the afternoon off," he explained. "I was hoping you might fancy spending the afternoon in the park..."

"Sure," she said with a smile. "Oh Mason- I'd like you to meet some friends of mine. This is Ethan Potter and his girlfriend Maddie Weasley."

Ethan stood up and shook the other man's hand. "Good to meet you Mason."

"You as well," Mason said with a smile. "I hope you don't mind if I steal the gorgeous Bree away from you guys. I haven't seen her since the end of last week."

"Not at all," Ethan said smiling at Bree.

"The weather's so nice outside," Maddie said conversationally. "If I didn't have so much work, I'd want to go to the park too."

"Some other time you'll perhaps have to join us," Mason said easily. "Might be nice to hang out with some of Bree's other friends."

"We'd like that," Maddie said warmly.

"It was really nice to see you both again," Bree said.

"It's always good to see you Bree," Maddie said. "I'm sure we'll see you around right? I'd love for all of us to go out sometime."

"Definitely," Ethan agreed.

Bree nodded and suggested that they set something up later and to her surprise found that she actually meant it. She took Mason's hand and they walked out of the cafeteria.

"She looks happy," Maddie commented.

"Yeah she does," Ethan replied, gazing after them. "And I'm happy for her. She's really cool you know? When I told her I wanted to stay friends I meant it."

"Well it probably wasn't what she wanted to hear when you were breaking up with her," Maddie said. "But maybe now that some time has passed, we can all be friends."

"It sounds almost too good to be true," Ethan said, stealing a piece of his sandwich out from under Maddie's fingers.

"That's mine!" Maddie said with mock indignation.

"I've had maybe three bites before you came in and ate everything," Ethan returned.

"You should have eaten faster," she argued.

"I was talking," he said, leaning closer. "Catching up..."

"Here you go you big baby," Maddie said breaking off a piece of the sandwich and offering it to Ethan.

He shook his head. "You're going to hold this against me now."

"No," she said innocently. "I'm taking pity on you. I wouldn't want you to starve."

"You're too good to me Maddie Molly," he said sarcastically.

"I try," she grinned. "I can't stay long. We have someone new starting today. I'm supposed to show him the ropes."

"Oh yeah?" Ethan asked, taking a large gulp of her Fizzy. "Tell me more."

"I don't know that much about him actually," Maddie said taking the Fizzy back. "Smythe was supposed to do it, but she got called away unexpectedly."

"I'm sure you'll teach him everything he needs to know," Ethan grinned at her. "Will you be out on time tonight?"

"I can't make any promises," Maddie said. "But I'll try."

"Okay," Ethan gave her a kiss. "I love you, you know."

"I know," she said letting her lips linger on his. "I love you too."

*** *** ***

Maddie hurried back down to the Department of Mysteries. Ethan had kept her a little longer than she'd intended and now she was hoping that the new recruit wasn't waiting for her to be there. She didn't know much except that it was a guy and he'd been experiencing visions continually over the last week.

She went through the locked door and headed for the room she and Smythe usually occupied. Inside sitting in one of the cushy chairs was a man with dark blonde hair and rather piercing blue eyes. "Oh," Maddie said. "I'm sorry- have you been waiting long? Are you the new Seer?"

He gave her a nervous smile. "Yes, I'm Jared Griffin."

"I'm Madeline Weasley," she shook his hand. "You can call me Maddie. I'm so sorry to leave you here by yourself."

"It's okay," he said smiling at her. "They said the woman I was supposed to meet with was called away?"

"Yes, that's Smythe," Maddie replied. "She's a genius really. She's taught me so much about how to control my visions and remember details over the past year."

"So you're relatively new to this too?" Jared asked.

"Yes," Maddie said. "I mean, I've had visions since I was very young, but only since last year have I really come into them, and realised what they are."

"That's what I've wanted," Jared said sitting back down. "I thought that I was crazy when I first started having them. They all seemed so random, you know?"

"Tell me about it," Maddie agreed, sitting in the chair next to him. "My first one, that I can remember at least, came when I was about five."

"What did you see?" he asked. "If you don't mind me asking..."

Maddie blushed. "This may sound sort of silly, but it was of me and my boyfriend snogging. I became convinced he was my one and only and drove him mad when we were kids telling him that we'd be married someday."

Jared laughed. "As visions go, that was a nice one to have."

"Yes it was," Maddie murmured. "And it did prove to be true..."

"I think I had a few visions when I was little," Jared related to Maddie. "I didn't know what they were back then. And I stopped having them until..."

"Recently?" Maddie finished.

He nodded. "And they're coming all the time. I can't sleep."

"That's awful," Maddie replied. "Well Smythe told me what I'm to show you today and she'll start you with your proper training tomorrow."

"Okay," Jared said clapping his hands together. "Um, what do we do first?"

"I'm going to show you the Pensieve," Maddie replied. "That really helps when it comes to visions, and it helps when everyone's able to see them."

"Alright then," Jared said standing up. He couldn't help noticing how pretty Maddie was.

"It's right down this way," she smiled at him and led him to the room. "And you know that what they'll do is assign you a 'false' position here, so you can say you work in the Ministry but they try to keep us true Seers from being publicly known."

"Can I tell my family?" he asked. "They think I'm mad."

"You can tell your family," Maddie laughed. "I told my family and close friends. But most everyone else just thinks I work a clerical position here in one of the departments."

"You know I used to make fun of all this," Jared confided. "I used to make up half the assignments I had in Divination. But, it's not a joke, is it? I mean, what we do here can really help people."

"It really can," Maddie said. "The first time I had a really bad vision was just last summer." she began hunting the shelves for an empty Pensieve. "I saw a woman and her baby being killed. Luckily my Aunt Hermione knew who the woman was and we were able to save her in time."

"That's really something," Jared said. "You must have felt wonderful about that."

"After the fact, yes." Maddie pulled one of the Pensieves down and set it on the pedestal. "But I was terrified while it was happening."

"I can imagine," Jared said nodding. "So are we going to see one of my visions or one of yours in this thing?"

"I was thinking you could put one of yours in there." Maddie replied. "Have you ever seen how a Pensieve works before?"

"I know a little," he admitted. "But not much."

"Have you got your wand?" she asked. "I'll show you how to do it and then you can try."

Jared pulled out his wand and waited for Maddie's instructions. Again, he was struck by how beautiful she was.

"You just concentrate really hard on a vision," she said. "And then you put your wand to your head..." she pulled it away and a long, silvery strand came with it. "It goes into the Pensieve and we're all able to see it."

"Okay," Jared said doing as she'd asked. He tried to concentrate very hard on his most recent vision.

"That's it," Maddie said encouragingly. "Now drop it into the Pensieve so we can both see it."

Jared mimicked Maddie's actions from before. "Okay..."

"Perfect," she smiled at him again.

Jared smiled back at her. "Something tells me that was the easy part."

"Well you have to rewatch it, and sometimes, even relive what happened." Maddie explained. "And it's not always pleasant."

"This one wasn't," he said quietly.

"All right," Maddie nodded. "If you like, we can wait for Smythe. We don't have to watch it today."

"Whatever you think is best," Jared said. "But honestly, I'm not that interested in seeing it again. Someone...someone died. The bloke who brought me here confirmed it. If I'd just come forward sooner..."

Maddie put a comforting hand on his arm. "I know how that feels," she said sympathetically.

"I know we can't save everyone," he said fixing his gaze on hers. "But that man was someone's father. Someone's brother. Someone's son. And because of me...”

"It wasn't just your fault," Maddie said. "You didn't decide to kill the man. And you didn't really know what it meant either. It's good now that you've come forward." she smiled gently at him. "I'll tell you something Ethan told me. That we can't save everyone, and we shouldn't take it so personally, especially when we did everything we could to try and save them."

"This Ethan sounds like a smart bloke," Jared said.

“He is,” Maddie smiled. “He knows me too well.”

"And I'm guessing that Ethan is the boyfriend you mentioned before," Jared said.

"Yes," she said. "We've just moved in together a few months ago."

"My girlfriend and I just broke things off a few weeks ago," Jared admitted. "She couldn't handle what I was going through."

"I guess that makes me lucky," Maddie said. "Ethan's always open to hearing what I can talk about."

"Aye," Jared said, but he really didn't want to talk about Maddie's boyfriend. "So, what do we do now?"

"Well if you don't want to watch your vision, I'll store it in here for you to review with Smythe tomorrow." Maddie said. "And I'll just basically show you around the department."

"That sounds good," Jared said. "Thanks for showing me the ropes Maddie."

"I'm glad I was able to help," she replied with a grin. "I'm sorry I can't do more but I'm really not authorized."

"No," he said smiling back at her. "You've done plenty. It's good to know that I'm not alone in this. That someone my age knows what I'm going through."

"It's rough," she said knowingly. "And I'm here to talk about it anytime."

"Thanks Maddie," Jared said, hoping that he would get to know her better during his training. "Thanks very much."

"Sure," she replied. "After this how about we go grab a cup of coffee in the cafeteria? My treat?"

"I'd like that," Jared replied.

"Great," Maddie said. "Let's go then."

Jared followed Maddie out of the room and she pointed out different places and offices as they walked. Already his mind was hatching a plan to get this girl- this beautiful, innocent blonde. He could play the broken heart card for awhile and then she wouldn’t know what hit her once he’d gotten her into his bed.

*** *** ***

Chiaki went into labour on Saturday evening around six. She and Toshio rushed to St. Mungos and for the first couple of hours, Chiaki wondered what the fuss was all about. The contractions weren't all that painful and she felt ready to deliver these babies.

Things didn't stay this way for very long and she found her pain to be quite considerable. Nothing anyone did seemed to help. Nearly 23 hours after her waters had broken, she finally delivered her son.

Three and a half minutes later, her daughter arrived.

"Are they okay?" Chiaki asked as Toshio wiped some sweat from her brow. "I want to see them."

"They're just cleaning them up," Toshio kissed his wife's forehead. "You did it Chi."

"I'm so knackered," Chiaki said hoarsely. "But I want to see them Tosh. I want to hold our babies."

"Okay love," Toshio said. "I'll make sure we hold them before they take them off to the nursery. And I have to tell everyone waiting outside."

The nurse carried one of the babies over to Chiaki. "How would you like to hold your daughter?"

"I'd love to," Chiaki said happily.

Toshio looked adoringly at his wife as she took the baby from the nurse. "She's beautiful, Chi. Just like you."

"She is gorgeous," tears flooded Chiaki's eyes as the nurse then handed Toshio their son. "And he's so handsome. I just can't believe they're finally here!"

"They are," Toshio said looking down at his son. "And they're absolutely perfect."

"Their names," Chiaki said, running a finger over her daughter's red face. "I know we decided on the two--"

"You want me to get your mum?" Toshio asked already knowing what his wife was going to say. "So we can tell her?"

"Thanks Tosh," Chiaki said as he carefully deposited their son in her other arm.

Toshio was positively beaming as he walked out into the sitting room where the majority of their two families were sleeping. He gingerly shook Cho awake.

"What is it?" Cho asked a sinking feeling in her stomach. She hoped that something hadn't gone wrong. As she focused her eyes however, she saw the wide smile on her son-in-law's face. "Well?"

"We have a healthy boy and girl," Toshio grinned. "And Chi and I wanted you to come in for a moment privately before we wake up everyone else."

"Oh," Cho said quickly getting to her feet, wondering what this could be about. "Okay."

"Hi Mum," Chiaki smiled. "Say hello to your new grandchildren."

Cho felt tears coming to her eyes as she saw her first-born daughter holding her own babies. She was speechless as she looked at them.

"They both have a headful of hair," she was finally able to say causing Chiaki and Toshio to laugh.

"Yes they do," Chiaki said as Toshio took their daughter. "Listen mum... we wanted to tell you a decision that we made when we found out we were having twins."

"What's that sweetheart?" Cho asked.

"That we've decided to name them Masanobu and Mitsuko, after your parents," Chiaki said softly.

Cho stared at her daughter. "Chiaki...."

"I hope you don't mind," Chiaki replied.

"Mind?" Cho asked shaking her head. "Sweetheart, that's...that's the most...that's..."

"I think she likes it," Toshio said grinning at his mother-in-law. "Mitsuko, meet your Grandma Cho."

"She's beautiful," Cho whispered as tears filled her eyes.

Chiaki grinned at her mother. "I always thought it was great how you named Allie and Frankie to honour dad's parents. I wanted to do the same for you, Mum."

"Thank you sweetheart," Cho kissed her daughter's forehead.

"Thank you Mum."

"I guess we should go wake everyone up and show them the good news," Toshio said. "Before the nurses take them away."

"I'd go with, but I'm so sleepy," Chiaki said yawning as she said this. "Just let everyone know I'm okay and that I appreciate them coming."

"You have a kip love," Toshio kissed her as he took Masanobu from her arms. "I'll be here when you wake up."

"I love you," Chiaki said closing her eyes.

"I can't believe I'm finally a dad," Toshio said to her as they left the room carrying the newborns. "I mean, I've spent the past few months waiting and now they're finally here you know?"

"I know," Cho said cradling Mitsuko in her arms. "You'll never forget the first time they were placed in your arms and they looked up at you..."

"It's already etched into my head," Toshio smiled down at his son.

Cho grinned as she and Toshio carried the babies into the waiting room. Everyone was still asleep. With her foot she kicked Neville. "Wake up Grandpa."

"Wha?" Neville snorted in his sleep. "What is it Cho?"

"Chiaki's had her babies," Cho said. "I thought you might want to meet your new grandchildren."

Neville's eyes instantly popped open. "She had them? They're here?" he reached eagerly for the newborn in her arms.

"Yes," Cho said handing him his granddaughter. "And you'll never guess what they named them..."

"What?" he asked with a smile as Toshio showed the baby in his arms off to his own parents.

Cho was choked up again just thinking about it, but she finally managed to tell him. "They named them after my parents, Nev."

Neville grinned. "Those are perfect names," he gave his wife a kiss. "So this must be Mitsuko I'm holding."

"That's her," Cho said. "She's beautiful isn't she?"

"She looks just like her mum did when she was born." Neville recalled that night.

"She does, doesn't she?" Cho said shakily.

"Can we switch a moment?" Toshio asked his parents behind him. "They want to see my baby girl."

"Of course," Neville said. "I'd like to meet my grandson."

"Neville meet Masanobu," Toshio grinned as Cho hugged his parents.

Allison and Frankie both awoke to see their parents hovered around something. "Allie? Am I seeing things or do they have....Chiaki's had her babies!"

"She did!" Allison said excitedly. They rushed over and surrounded Toshio and Neville.

Neville told his two daughters what Chiaki and Toshio had named the twins. "Oh, Mum!" Allison said giving Cho a hug.

"She's so thoughtful," Cho began to cry. "And you too of course, Tosh. Both of you are so sweet."

Frankie grinned. "They're adorable. I know I'm biased, but they are absolutely adorable!"

Toshio laughed. "If you're biased I don't want to know what that makes me." he replied. "Chi's asleep now but she wants to thank all of you for sticking around."

"As if we'd go anywhere," Allison told him. "She was there when I had Caroline and Emma. I wanted to be here for her too."

"And I'm sure she'll be here for me too," Frankie said. "Another ten years down the line." she grinned at Will, who was stretched out on the sofa.

Allison grinned. "I knew you'd come around eventually, Frankie."

"It's not happening anytime soon." Frankie replied. "I still love my figure too much."

"The more things change," Allison said laughing. "Caroline's going to be so upset she missed this."

"What time did Jon take her and Emma back home?" Frankie asked, sitting back down by her fiancé.

"Around seven," Allison answered with a yawn. "And she didn't go without a fight."

"Please," Frankie scoffed. "She's part Longbottom. We never do anything without a fight."

"You can say that again," Will added, rubbing his eyes drowsily. "What's going on?"

"I have a new niece and nephew," Frankie replied. "And Chiaki and Toshio named them after Mum's parents."

"Hey..." Will struggled to sit up. "That's fantastic. A boy and a girl eh?"

Frankie nodded. "Just like Chi wanted."

"Good for her," Will said. "I'm happy for them both."

The nurse came out and told Toshio that needed to take the babies back to the nursery.

"Grandma will be right here when you wake up," Cho said kissing her grandson's forehead.

"I'm going to stay with Chi, but if the rest of you feel like going home I'll let you know anything new." Toshio promised. "Thanks for being here everyone. Chi and I really do appreciate it."

Cho and Neville decided to stay behind and Frankie, Allison and Will promised to come back when Chiaki was awake.

"We'll see you later," Frankie hugged her mother. "Lavender sent over the designs for my wedding dress so you'll have to come by to take a look."

"Okay sweetheart," Cho said hugging her back. "I can't wait to see it."

"I better go and tell Jon and the girls the good news," Allison said giving her dad a hug.

"We'll stop by later today," Will shook Toshio's hand. "Congratulations mate."

"Thanks," Toshio said. "It really did mean a lot to us both that you hung around."

"Anytime," Will grinned. "I suspect we'll become official babysitters soon enough."

"You're on our list," Toshio said. After saying goodbye, he walked back to his wife's room.

"What a night," Frankie said, digging in her bag for her mobile as they left the hospital. "I'm completely beat."

"You slept most of the night," Will pointed out.

"On a rather uncomfortable sofa," Frankie said, calling into her voicemail. "Bloody hell..." she frowned a few moments later.

"How many messages?" Will asked.

"Alicia called me six times last night," Frankie rolled her eyes. "You'd think she didn't have any other friends."

"What sort of crisis is it this time?" Will asked.

"She just wanted to know when we were going dress shopping, for the millionth time." Frankie turned off her phone. "Honestly, I keep pushing it back; if I do it again they're going to have to wear their own dresses when walking down the aisle. And she's my maid of honour too!"

"She's your maid of honour?" Will asked. "But I thought Allie..."

Frankie gave him a strange look as she put her sunglasses on. "I never asked Allie to be my maid of honour," she replied.

"I know Alicia's your best friend, but she's not exactly known for being dependable, Frankie," Will said. "She'll probably oversleep and miss the ceremony or be out shopping...."

"William she would not miss the ceremony," Frankie said. "I know she's an airhead but she was there for me as a friend when I needed her. She just doesn't understand what it's like to... be in love like we are."

Will wanted to say that she didn't understand what it was to be a good friend, but he bit back his comment. And he'd never heard of Alicia being there for Frankie for anything other than something self-serving.

"I guess," he said instead.

"It was before you and I met," Frankie explained. "I had a really, really bad break up and she was there for me when nobody else was. There were other things too, but in her own way she's really not a bad person."

"I just don't like seeing her take advantage of you," Will said putting his arm around her

"I wouldn't let her," Frankie assured him. "I know how to handle her when she gets difficult. Plus she's just jealous that I've been hanging with Maddie too."

"I would love to be there when Alicia, your sisters and Maddie go dress shopping," Will said with a laugh.

"It's certainly interesting," Frankie said with a grin. "Oooh I forgot to tell you something great!"

"What?" Will asked.

"Claire called me to go shopping and guess who wants to come along," Frankie grinned wider. "Your sister Mary!"

"I told you she'd come around," Will said smiling at his girlfriend.

"It certainly seems so," Frankie snuggled under his arm. "So we're going later this week." she looked up at him. "Tell me something and be honest now..."

"I'm always honest with ya Frankie," Will said.

"Do you think Mary or Claire is offended that I didn't ask them to be a bridesmaid?" she asked. "I mean, it's not too late to ask them to be part of the wedding party. I was thinking of seeing if they were interested when we go out."

"They are fine with it," Will replied. "Honestly, Frankie. Mary is not the frilly dress type and Claire's happy that you asked Mia to be a flower girl with Caroline."

"I couldn't not ask her," Frankie laughed. "The two of them are so cute together. I can't wait to see them going down the aisle."

Will grinned. "And they're thick as thieves already."

"I'm so glad they get along," Frankie leaned against him.

"They both love Disney movies," Will said kissing the side of Frankie's head.

"Or as I keep calling them, those Danny movies," Frankie laughed.

"You have so much to learn," Will said laughing.

"I'm trying," Frankie said with a fake pout.

"Well don't let anyone know that I'm teaching you," Will said. "I don't know what it says for my masculinity that I actually know who Belle, Jasmine, Ariel, and Mulan are."

"I happen to think it's awfully sexy," Frankie teased.

Will laughed. "You'd be the only one."

"I'm a little biased," Frankie hugged him around the middle.

"I love you Francesca," Will said giving her a kiss.

"I love you too William," she said, returning it. "And I am still in a bit of shock that we're going to be married in just a few more months."

"Not having any doubts, are you?" Will asked.

"Nothing like that," Frankie said truthfully. "It's just happening fast. Which is the way I like it. Nothing drawn out and we're not going overboard. Well... not completely." she grinned at him.

"And barring the maid of honour showing up two hours late," Will teased. "Everything will be perfect."

"She won't," Frankie jabbed his side. "I'm going to organise a night where we can all go out together and you two especially can get to know one another."

"You are?" Will asked, wondering how well that would go.

"Yes," Frankie said. "To dinner or dancing, or maybe even both. And I'll have Maddie and Ethan come along as well."

Will could tell this meant a lot to Frankie and for her, he would try to find someway to get along with Alicia.

"I think that'd be great," he said with a yawn. "But how about we organise going back to yours and taking a nice, long kip for the moment?"

"That sounds fabulous to me," Frankie said. "Especially if you're staying."

"I'm sore from sleeping on that uncomfortable sofa in the waiting room," Will said rubbing his neck. "Trust me, Frankie. I'm not going anywhere."

"You know," she began. "I think it's silly you haven't just moved in with me yet." Frankie replied.

"Why not move into my place," Will asked. "We always stay at yours. In fact, I think you have something against my flat."

"You're a male," Frankie said as if that explained everything. "Mine's already decorated according to what I like. I'd completely have to redo your place."

Will stared at her. "Frankie, what's wrong with my place? It's clean. My walls aren't brown. And for argument's sake, let's say I moved in with you. You're telling me I couldn't change anything?"

"You could change a few things," Frankie smiled innocently at him.

"Like what?" Will asked sarcastically. "You'd let me have some space in your closet?"

"Will that's not what I meant," Frankie said. "I just think it's silly for us both to have our own place. Mine is closer to the main area of town."

"Mine is two blocks from yours," Will pointed out.

"I just love my place," Frankie said. "And I have more stuff to move if I was to go to yours."

"I like my place too," Will said. "I've lived there since I moved out of my parents' house. And if I moved to yours, I'd have to move a lot of stuff too."

Frankie huffed. "Well I'm not moving! I didn't start this so we could have an argument about it."

Will was getting angry too. "You act as if just because it's what you want, that everything is supposed to fall into line. Frankie, somewhere along the line you're going to have to learn to compromise."

"I know how to compromise!" she yelled.

Maybe it was because he was tired and cranky from sleeping in a hospital waiting room all night, but Will wasn't ready to back down from this. He'd always given in where Frankie was concerned, but he wasn't going to do it this time.

"Okay," Will said folding his arms. "When we go out, who always picks what we're going to do? Who always pouts when I suggest doing something like going to a museum to see an exhibit or hearing a lecture?"

"I do not do that," she hissed.

"You do it every single time," Will said shaking his head. "That one time I took you to the National Gallery, you kept whining about the long wait and how everything was so old."

Frankie glared at him. "I'm going HOME," she said. "Don't bother following me when it's obvious you just hate my place and everything about it."

"I don't want to follow you," Will called over his shoulder as he stalked off in the other direction.

"GOOD!" she screamed back.

"FINE!" Will screamed back, glaring at some passers by who shot him a look.

Frankie had never been so furious. What had started off as a simple request had turned into quite the argument. There was no way she was moving to his boring, tiny flat when hers had a much nicer layout not to mention bigger and more convenient.

Deciding she needed to vent her frustration to someone, she decided to pop over to Alicia's townhouse. It didn't take her long to get there and she pounded furiously on her best friend's door.

"Franks!" Alicia said frowning when she saw her. "You look dreadful? What happened to your makeup?"

"Is it running? Oh shite," Frankie winced when she saw herself in the mirror. "I can't believe I let people see me in public like this."

"Neither can I," Alicia said with a laugh. Her expression soon turned serious. "Where the hell have you been? I called and called, but you never called me back. You missed the best party last night!"

"My sister had her babies," Frankie said, rubbing some lip gloss over her lips and then she started fixing her eye liner. "She had a twin boy and girl."

"She had two?" Alicia asked scrunching up her nose. "How dreadful!"

"They're actually really cute," Frankie replied. "But then I left with that wanker of a fiancé of mine and it all went downhill."

Alicia checked her own reflection in the mirror oblivious to what Frankie had just said. "You wouldn't believe what Gretchen Travers wore to the party, Frankie."

"What, something unbelievably slutty?" Frankie asked cattily.

"No," Alicia said pulling her friend over to the sofa. "She wore the same dress you wore on New Year's Eve. And you remember how she'd told you how horrible it looked!"

"That bloody bitch," Frankie exclaimed. "She so does not have the right colouring for that! She's a fake blond for bloody's sake!"

"I know and she has fat ankles," Alicia said laughing. "And don't even get me started on that ostrich neck of hers."

"She should poke it in sand and leave it there," Frankie grumbled. "She is so ensemble challenged."

"And I didn't want to tell you this, but you remember your ex Michael?" Alicia asked. "Gretchen was positively joined at the hip with him the entire night."

"Whatever," Frankie waved a hand. "He would look at anything with breasts and that includes other men."

Alicia laughed. "That's true."

"We'll definitely go to the next party together," Frankie promised.

"There's my best friend," Alicia said grinning at her. "Promise me you'll leave Mr. Boring home."

Frankie snorted. "Without a doubt. I'm so pissed at him right now I don't even want to see him."

"What did he do now?" Alicia asked. "I don't even want to know...he's not right for you, Frankie. You two are as different as night and day."

"I asked him to move into my place and you'd have thought I wanted him to quit his job and be a party man the rest of his life." Frankie rolled her eyes.

"He's been trying to change you," Alicia continued. "You shouldn't give in on this Frankie. First it's his flat and the next thing you know you're bogged down in some rundown house with two brats and a husband who works all the time."

"I am NOT moving," Frankie informed her.

"Good on you," Alicia said eager to have her best friend to herself again.

"He stormed off, probably went to his ugly flat and I won't see him for a week." Frankie said.

"He didn't run after you?" Alicia asked.

"Went the other way," Frankie replied.

"What a bastard," Alicia commented. "Typical male."

"Tell me about it," she said. "Ugh it's annoying me to no end."

"We should go out," Alicia said. She took in her friend's appearance and frowned. "After you've showered, of course."

"Let me go home and get some sleep," Frankie said. "And then later today we'll go do something."

"You don't need to sleep," Alicia pouted. "You just need a nice, long shower."

"I've barely slept all night," Frankie protested. "And I was sharing a sofa with Will, and it was a hospital sofa at that."

"Eww," Alicia said. "Why were you at a hospital? Was someone sick?"

Frankie stared at her friend. "I told you, Chiaki had her babies last night."

"Oh, I guess I forgot," Alicia said with a shrug.

Frankie shook her head. "I'm going home for a kip. What say we get together around eight?"

"Sure," Alicia said getting up to walk her friend out. "We'll paint the town red. Just the two of us."

"Deal," Frankie said. "Let's dress to the nines and just have fun Lee."

Alicia air kissed Frankie's cheeks like they used to do when they were in school. "And no Mr. Boring!"

"I promise," Frankie held up her pinky and laughed.

They linked pinkies and Alicia promised to drop by Frankie's flat at eight.

"See you then," Frankie smiled and Apparated away.

57. Chapter 57

Authors' note: Thanks for the reviews. We know this is a busy time of year and we appreciate you guys taking the time to tell us what you thought. You get more Alexa and RJ in this chapter as he gets to meet her parents and some of her Muggle friends. You also see more of Frankie and Will as well as getting to see more of Jared. He isn't a Gordon-type character. He has an agenda, but it's not like Gordon's, as you will come to see. As always, please read and review.

Later that same day, Luna and Ron had gone with R.J. to go meet with Alexa’s parents and talk to them about her coming to Brighton with them during the summer holidays. Dinner had gone quite well- R.J. suspected his mother had said something to his father about curbing his appetite because he only had seconds- and both sets of parents were enjoying each other’s company.

”I’m going to take R.J. and introduce him to some of my friends here in the neighbourhood,” Alexa said as her mother poured coffee for everyone. “We probably won’t be gone very long.”

"Take your time," Alexa's mother Karen said smiling at her daughter. "I'm sure R.J. wants to get to know your friends."

"Sounds like fun," R.J. grinned.

Alexa's father Patrick called out to his daughter before she and R.J. left. "Make sure and tell Ben that he needs to mow the lawn. Every time I see that boy, he keeps telling me he's going to get to it, but here it is April and he hasn't touched it."

"I will Dad!" Alexa called back as they left.

"Who's Ben?" R.J. asked curiously as the door shut behind them.

Alexa took his hand. "He lives across the street. We're going to his house actually. That's where all my friends are."

"Okay," R.J. said, leaning in and kissing her cheek.

Alexa grinned, but her expression soon turned serious. "They don't know about me going to Hogwarts or that I'm a witch so just stick with the story about us both going to boarding school in Scotland and I kind of told them that you were a really good footballer..."

"How come they don't know we do magic?" R.J. asked bemusedly.

"Everyone around here is Muggles and they'd probably just think I was mad if I said I could do magic," Alexa said. "It's just better this way. They wouldn't understand R.J.."

R.J. shrugged. "If you say so," he replied non committally. "I won't say anything about Hogwarts. But I really don't know much about football."

Alexa cursed herself for telling her friends that R.J. was really good at football. But they'd had so many questions about him and what he did and she couldn't very well tell them that he played Quidditch, could she? She just hoped that Ben, who lived and breathed football, wouldn't pepper her boyfriend with too many questions about it. She kept silent as she and R.J. crossed the street and walked up the steps to Ben's house.

R.J. squeezed her hand as she rang the doorbell. "I'll be good," he teased her. "Don't worry Lexie I'll think of something."

Alexa smiled and said a silent prayer that everyone would go okay and that R.J. would like her friends and they would in turn like him.

Ben's mother opened the door and told Alexa that everyone was in the game room. R.J. followed his girlfriend down a long hall. He could hear the muffled sound of people talking and laughing.

"It's about time you showed up!" a tall boy with sandy blonde hair said to Alexa as she and R.J. entered the room. "We were beginning to think you were standing us up." R.J. guessed this was Ben and he bit down the jealous feeling he felt when the boy hugged Alexa.

"Sorry," Alexa laughed. "You know how my dad gets when he meets someone new- he doesn't stop talking. And he wants me to remind you to come over and cut the grass as soon as possible."

"I just cut it last week," Ben said poking her in the side. "You could do it, Lex. I'm sure you need extra spending money at that school, right?"

"I'm all the way up in Scotland," Alexa replied. "I'm not at home like you lot are." she turned and saw R.J. still standing in the doorway. "Oh everyone, this is my boyfriend R.J. Weasley."

"Oooooh," everyone said giggling causing Alexa to blush.

"We're only teasing Lex," Ben said putting an arm around her.

"R.J. this is Ben," Alexa said. "That over there on the sofa is Sophie, next to her is James and then Carrie."

"Nice to meet you DJ," Ben said extending his hand. "Lexie's told us all about you of course."

"It's R.J. actually," R.J. said shaking the boy's hand.

"Sorry about that mate," Ben replied. "She tells us you're a big footballer."

"Yeah," R.J. replied. "But I'm really more into the American teams." he hoped the boy wouldn't notice his nervousness at talking about a sport he knew nothing of.

"Why's that?" Ben asked curiously. "You been to America or something?"

Before R.J. could answer, the girl called Sophie stood up and rolled her eyes. "Can we please not spend another night going on and on about football? Please?"

"Whatever Sophie," Ben rolled his eyes and grinned at Alexa and R.J.. "Want something to drink?" he offered.

"Sure," R.J. replied without thinking. "I'll have a butterbeer."

Ben stared at him. "A what?"

"Ben's parents don't keep beer in the house," Alexa said quickly. "They don't like alcohol."

"Oh right," R.J. said with a laugh. "How about a soda then?"

"Sure mate," Ben was still giving him a strange look as he disappeared into the kitchen.

"So, R.J...." the other girl named Carrie began. "Where are you from?"

"I was actually born in Dublin," R.J. answered. "But we moved back to London a few years ago. My mum's a writer and my dad owns and manages some shops."

"Oh yeah?' Carrie asked. "Where? Sophie and I are always looking for a new place to shop."

"They're um... joke shops," R.J. said. "Little ones in Piccadilly Circus."

Carrie nodded. "And you and Alexa met at school, right?'

"She's talked about you non-stop since she got back," Sophie said grinning at her friend.

"Soph!" Alexa said, turning red.

"You have!" Sophie said. "But I really can't talk. When James and I started dating, she had to listen to me drone on and on..."

"And on..." Alexa and Carrie finished together.

Sophie laughed. "And you see what it's got me, don't you?" She motioned over her shoulder at James who was completely captivated by his video game. "I've lost him to Nintendo."

"I've seen these," R.J. said. "My sister's boyfriend has one of these at his flat."

James looked up from his video game. "Y-you've never played before?" he asked, the concept completely foreign to him.

"I've played a few times," R.J. replied. "But I really don't have a lot of time for these. We're not allowed to have them at school."

James motioned to the other game controller on the floor. "You're welcome to join me if you'd like. You're bound to be better than Ben. He's horrible."

"Sure," R.J. said eagerly. "What game is this?"

"Mortal Death 3000," James said. "You have to try and shoot down these planes, but you have to watch out for..."

Alexa grinned as she watched her boyfriend.

"He's fab Lex," Sophie whispered.

"Thanks," Alexa said softly. "He's really fantastic. I never thought he'd fancy me back either."

"Are you kidding me?" Sophie asked. "Lex, you're gorgeous. I kept telling you that those boys at your school would be falling all over themselves...."

"Me and my mouth of metal," Alexa rolled her eyes.

"You're getting them off soon," Carrie said. "And besides, it hasn't hurt you if you managed to land a boy like that."

"I guess not," Alexa said with a smile.

"By the way, how's your friend Saffron?" Sophie asked as Ben came back in with sodas. "How come she didn't come back with you this time?"

"She wanted to spend time with her family," Alexa replied. "Her grandfather's doing much better now and she wanted to spend some time with him."

"Here's your soda," Ben said handing Alexa a can of cherry coke. "Your favourite."

"Thank you Ben," Alexa smiled at him. "I'm glad you remembered."

"We've known each other since we were in nappies," Ben said. "I know everything there is to know about you Alexa O'Leary."

R.J. was distracted from his game as he caught their conversation.

Alexa smiled shyly at him. "You think you do." she said. "But I hardly see any of you anymore now that I go to school in Scotland most of the year."

"We'll have you around for the summer though, won't we?" Ben asked.

"Um," Alexa said biting her lip. "No, not really. I'm going to go to Brighton for a couple of weeks."

"Lex," Ben said. "You're going to miss out on so much."

"Yeah but I get to spend time with R.J.," Alexa said. "Normally I wouldn't get to see him at all during summer hols."

"But you get to see him all year when you're at school," Ben argued.

R.J. set down his game controller and walked over to join his girlfriend. "Ease up mate. It's not like she's going to be gone the entire summer. It's just a fortnight in Brighton."

Ben stared at him a moment as Alexa placed her hand on R.J.'s arm. "It's okay," she said softly. "It's just that we all used to spend so much time together as kids." she tried to explain.

"We all grow up," Sophie reminded Ben, stretching lazily. "I mean after we're all done with school who knows if we'll all meet again?"

"Yes but we're all going to try and stay close," Carrie added. "Right?"

"Of course," Sophie said.

"And maybe R.J. can join us again this summer?" Carrie offered. "When he and Lex come back from Brighton."

"If he wants to," Alexa shot R.J. an uncertain look.

"I'd love to," R.J. said squeezing her hand. "We're going to spend as much time as we can together. Right Lex?"

She smiled at him. "I certainly hope so," she leaned against him and took a sip of her Coke.

"Isn't that just great," Ben muttered under his breath before walking away to join James at the television.

"I don't think he likes me very much," R.J. said to Alexa.

"He does," Alexa said. "He's just a bit standoffish with people he doesn't know very well, R.J.."

"That and I think he fancies you," R.J. added in a quiet voice so no one else could hear.

Alexa nearly choked on her soda. "He does not!"

R.J. shrugged. "I know what a bloke's like when he fancies a girl who's already taken."

"Ben does not fancy me," Alexa said shaking her head. "In fact, I think you are the first bloke whose ever looked twice at me."

"I find that hard to believe," R.J. said, deciding to drop the Ben issue for now.

"It's the truth," Alexa said. "Boys have never thought of me that way. I imagine if Ben and I hadn't grown up together, he wouldn't even know my name, R.J.."

"I'm just glad I got to you first," R.J. said charmingly.

"Me too," Alexa said. She stood on her tiptoes so she could whisper in his ear. "How would you like to get out of here? I have something I wanted to show you..."

"Sounds good to me," R.J. agreed with a grin.

Alexa grinned and turned around to where her friends were now gathered around the television.

"We're going to get going," Alexa said. "I, um, promised Mum we'd not be very long."

"You have to go already?" Ben looked dismayed. "You just got here Lex!"

"I know," Alexa apologised. "But R.J.'s parents are visiting and we wanted to..."

"Give them a break Ben," Sophie said. "They're going to go snog."

"Sophie we are not!" Alexa gasped.

"We're not?" R.J. asked innocently. "Damn!"

Carrie, James and Sophie all laughed, but Ben just scowled.

"On that note," Alexa said starting to walk out of the room.

"It was really nice meeting you all," R.J. said. "I suspect I'll see you lot sometime this summer."

"Maybe we can play football while you're here," James offered.

"Sure," R.J. said nodding. "Sounds great."

Alexa waved goodbye as she pulled R.J. out of the room.

"What's the rush?" R.J. teased. "It's not as if we're going to snog or anything."

"We are, but not in front of them," Alexa said grinning at him. "Come on. I know we don't have much time and I wanted to show you something."

"What's that?" he asked as they went down the street.

"Come on," Alexa said taking off on a run toward her backyard.

"Coming!" R.J. laughed as he followed her.

Alexa ran toward the big oak tree in the backyard. "You ever been in a tree house before?" she asked breathlessly.

"No," R.J. answered. "A tree house?"

Alexa laughed and pointed up. "My father built it for me when I was six. I used to spend all my time up there. Come on..."

He followed her up the ladder that had been hammered into the trunk and into the tiny one room hut situated within the branches. "Wow," he said. "This is really cool! Nice and private."

Alexa laughed as R.J. bumped his head on the ceiling. "We'll have to sit..."

"Yeah I think so," he winced.

Alexa mussed his hair. "Well since it's small, we'll have to sit really, really close."

"I have no problems with that," he said, his arms already around her.

"I didn't think you would," Alexa said before kissing him.

He kissed her back hungrily, ploughing his fingers through her red waves. "I missed this," he breathed between kisses.

"Me too," Alexa whispered. "R.J., I l-lo..."

"R.J.?" a voice interrupted her. "Alexa? Are you two up there?"

"It's my Dad," R.J. whispered.

"Oh," she said softly, pulling away.

"We'll be right down, Dad," R.J. called out.

"Your mum's got an early day tomorrow," Ron called back. "We have to get going in a few minutes."

"Okay," R.J. said. He looked out the tree house window and saw his father go back in the house.

He looked at Alexa. "Lex? What were you going to say before?"

"Oh nothing," she blushed and tucked her hair behind her ears. "Don't worry about it." she smiled.

"You're nervous," he said softly. "You don't have to be with me, you know that."

"I know," she answered softly. "I just hate it you have to go."

"Lex," he said touching her face. "What were you going to say?"

"It was nothing," she insisted, kissing him again.

"I wish you could see yourself like I see you," he said after they pulled apart. He knew that he didn't have much time with her, but he wasn't ready to go just yet.

"How's that?" she whispered.

He cupped her face in his hands. "You're amazing, Lexie."

"So are you," Alexa replied softly as he kissed her again.

"And I..."

"Ronald Junior," Ron called out.

"Damn it," R.J. swore. "Coming Dad!" he hollered.

"Kind of makes you wish we were back at school, eh?" Alexa said with a giggle.

"Few more days and that's where we'll be. Uninterrupted snog time," he grinned as they began to head back down the ladder.

"Right," Alexa said, trying not to think about what she'd almost told him.

They headed inside hand in hand and R.J. kissed her cheek and shook her father's hand. "It was good to meet you sir," he said.

"Good to meet you too," Patrick O'Leary said. "And I hope we'll get to see more of you, R.J.."

"I hope so too," R.J. grinned. "Goodbye Mrs. O'Leary. Thanks for dinner."

"And thanks for letting us take home leftovers," Ron said holding up the basket Alexa's mother had packed away for them.

"He held out as long as he could," Luna whispered to her son.

R.J. caught Alexa's eye and they both held back their laughter.

"I'll see you soon," R.J. said giving her a hug.

"Bye R.J.," Alexa whispered.

"I think that went very well," Luna said to her son when they returned home. "Her parents are lovely, R.J.."

"Yeah," R.J. replied, his thoughts obviously elsewhere.

"How were here friends?" Luna asked. "They were all Alexa's age, right?"

R.J. didn't answer her and she and Ron exchanged worried looks.

"R.J.?" Luna asked.

"Yeah they were cool," R.J. said, his thoughts still on Alexa.

Luna smiled. "I'm going to go and owl Drew and Darla."

Ron sat down at the kitchen table and opened up the basket of leftovers. "Your Mum's gone now. Anything you'd like to share with me?"

"I really like her a lot Dad," R.J. said. "More than I've liked any other girl."

"More than Juliet?" Ron asked. "And Christina, eh?"

"Way more," R.J. nodded.

"So why do you look so lost in thought?" Ron asked cutting into Mrs. O'Leary's blueberry cobbler.

"Just thinking about her," R.J. replied.

"I was the same way about your mother," Ron confided.

"I think I'm going to bed," R.J. got up. "Thanks for going tonight Dad."

"Are you kidding me?" Ron asked. "Your girlfriend's mother owns a bakery. Wild horses couldn't have kept me away son."

R.J. laughed. "Always thinking with your stomach Dad."

*** *** ***

After leaving Alicia's, Frankie went back to her flat expecting to find an owl or at the very least a message from Will apologising for acting like the biggest prat on the planet. But to her dismay, there was nothing. This only strengthened her resolve to have a great time tonight with Alicia.

After taking a nice long kip and then a nice, long shower, she dressed up in her new redstrapless dress that hugged every curve. She didn't have any intention of cheating on Will, but she wanted to go out and show that she could still have a good time. She wasn't going to sit in her flat and stew all night over her fiancé’s stubborn behaviour.

At eight on the dot Alicia was knocking on her door, which surprised Frankie as her friend was known for running late. "I can't believe you're on time," Frankie teased as she let Alicia in.

"Because it's a special night," Alicia said. "I've got my best friend back."

"You never lost her," Frankie said. "I've just got to fix my hair. I'll be done in a minute."

Alicia followed Frankie into her bedroom and sat down on the edge of the bed while she waited for her to finish with her hair. "No word from Mr. Boring?"

"Not a damn thing," Frankie said, using her wand to pull her hair up into a twist.

"He should be sending you bouquets of roses and love notes Franks," Alicia said. "This just goes to prove that he has no clue about the real you."

Frankie chose not to answer her friend. "Okay," she said. "I'm ready to hit the town."

"I'd say so," Alicia said. "You look fierce Franks."

"I agree," Frankie laughed. "You look gorgeous as always."

"This old thing?" Alicia said fingering the strap of her black dress. "I just threw on the first thing I saw in the closet."

"Whatever," Frankie rolled her eyes. "As if you have anything in your closet that's more than a month old."

Alicia laughed. "That's true. So, this is your night. Where do you want to go?"

"Somewhere they play good music and have good drinks," Frankie grabbed her evening bag and stuffed a few things inside.

"How about Fortress?" Alicia suggested.

"Sure," Frankie grinned. "This will be fun."

The girls Apparated to Fortress and seeing as Alicia knew the bloke at the door, they were able to bypass the long queue.

"It always helps to have connections!" Frankie shouted in her friend's ear as they moved towards the bar.

"Yes it does," Alicia said smugly.

"What do you want?" Frankie asked. "I'll buy our first round."

"Apple martini," Alicia said scanning the bar for familiar faces. "Franks, I'll be right back...."

"Okay!" Frankie said as she disappeared into the crowd.

Frankie hadn't noticed that one bloke had spotted her as she'd walked in and he'd followed her to the bar. He stood back a little so she wouldn't see him and he waited for her to place her order before he made his move.

"An apple martini and a cosmopolitan!" Frankie said with a flirtatious smile at the bartender.

"Coming right up love," the bartender said with a wink.

Frankie moved her body to the music that was blaring throughout the room. She was still angry with Will but part of her wished he was there with her right now.

The bartender came back with her drinks and Frankie was about to pay when someone came up behind her.

"It's okay," a bloke's familiar voice said. "It's on me."

Frankie turned and her eyes narrowed. "No thanks, I've got it."

"Come on Francesca," Jeff said with a lecherous grin. "It's the least I can do after all you did for me."

"I do nothing for you," she said icily, handing the bartender some money. "And you do absolutely nothing for me."

"Don't be like that," he said inching closer to her. "You used to say I did quite a bit for you."

"Sod off Jeff," Frankie took her drinks. "I don't want to have anything to do with you after last time."

"You and your little boyfriend made me look like a fool," Jeff said coldly. "I haven't forgotten that."

"Then you really need to get a life," Frankie returned. "Now get out of my way."

"I don't think so," Jeff said pulling his wand out and poking it into her side. "You say one word and I swear it'll be your last."

Frankie felt herself pale. "What are you doing?" she asked as the drinks she held began to slip from her grasp.

"You're going to come with me," he hissed. "And I'm going to get what you promised me that night we went out..."

"I am not giving you anything!" Frankie snapped.

"Oh yes you are," Jeff said, his eyes dark. "MOVE!"

Frankie had never been more terrified in her life. She was still holding onto the glasses, even though they were slick from the alcohol in them spilling out due to her trembling. Jeff poked the wand into her side harder and began to steer her towards the back of the room.

This time there was no Ethan or Will to save her. If she was going to get out of this, she was going to do it on her own. She noticed that the room that the area of the club Jeff was taking her to had an emergency exit.

"Where are we going?" she demanded.

"You'll find out soon enough," he hissed in her ear. "Keep walking."

"Ow!" she cried as he dug his wand into her side. "Look I'm going- stop poking me!"

Two drunk girls nearly knocked both of them down and Jeff lost his grip on Frankie's arm.

Frankie took the opportunity to dodge away, trying to make her way back into the centre of the club where she could get help.

"Frankie!" Jeff called after her. "Come back here!"

Frankie continued to dodge through the crowds to get away from him. She thought she was nearly scot free when she felt a hand clamp down on her wrist, causing her to drop one of the glasses she still carried.

"There you are!" Alicia said. "Franks, you won't believe..."

"We need to get out of here," Frankie's voice shook. "I need to go right now."

Alicia had never seen Frankie look like this. Her hands were shaking and Alicia took the other glass out of her friend's hand and laid it on a nearby table. "We'll go right now, Frankie."

"I need to go," Frankie's eyes filled with tears as she glanced back and saw Jeff trying to work his way back over to them. "Right now."

Alicia somehow managed to get her terrified friend out of the club. "Where do you want to go Franks? Back to yours?"

"No," Frankie shook her head. "I'm sorry Alicia I really need to go... I don't want to be alone."

"Frankie?" Alicia asked. "You're not alone...I'm right here..." but her friend had already disapparated.

Will had just settled into bed to get an early night's sleep when he heard a commotion at his front door.

Frankie was surprised she hadn't splinched herself when she'd Apparated to Will's flat. She pounded on his door. "Will! It's me! Please let me in!"

Will swung open the door. Frankie's makeup had run and her hair was a mess. Tears were streaming down her face and her hands were still shaking.

"Frankie?" he asked as she clung to him. "What's wrong? What's happened?"

She was sobbing uncontrollably by the time he had half carried her into his sitting room. "Will it was terrible."

"What happened?" Will repeated holding on to her tightly. "Frankie, please tell me."

She tried to control herself while she told him about what Jeff had almost done. "He... was going to take me out somewhere and.... and...."

"I'll kill him," Will said still holding on to Frankie. "Where's he at? I'll...."

"I just need you to hold me," Frankie buried her face in his shoulder. "Please Will I just need you so bad right now."

"Shhhh," Will soothed. "I'm not going anywhere, Frankie. I'm right here."

"I'm so sorry," she bawled again.

"You didn't do anything wrong, Frankie," Will said pulling away so he could look at her properly. "Sweetheart, this wasn't your fault."

He grabbed a tissue and handed to her so she could wipe her eyes. "I just feel like such a fool now." Frankie muttered.

"You're not a fool," Will told her gently.

"How can you be so sweet after this afternoon?" Frankie asked. "You have every right to read me the riot act."

"I love you," Will told her. "Even when we have a huge row like today, I still love you and when I opened the door just then and saw you... "

"I love you so much," Frankie leaned against him again. "You're always here for me when I need you."

Will wrapped his arms tightly around her. "I love you too Frankie. And I'm so sorry you had to go through what you did tonight."

"It's not your fault," she kept her face pressed against his shirt.

"It's that wanker's fault," Will said feeling angry at the thought of that bastard thinking he could have his way with Frankie like that. "I'm going to make sure he never touches you again."

Frankie nodded and finally pulled away. "Can I stay with you tonight?"

"Of course," he whispered kissing her forehead. "Do you want some tea or some hot chocolate?"

"Hot chocolate," Frankie said with a small smile. "Yours always makes me feel better. And I want to change out of this dress."

"You can nick one of my old t-shirts if you want," Will offered.

"I think I will." Frankie replied. They looked at each other a moment then she leaned in and kissed him. "You are the best William Barron."

He had a feeling she wouldn't be saying that if she could read his thoughts at the moment. In his mind, he was already envisioning beating the life out of this Jeff character. Instead, he touched her cheek. "Frankie, you're safe. And I'm not going to let anything happen to you. Ever."

"I know," she whispered. "I'm going to go change."

"Okay," he said giving her one last kiss. "I'll go and make that hot chocolate."

"Okay," she said, heading for his bedroom. She noticed his bed was unmade and his pillow had a dent in it and she felt bad for obviously waking him up. She tossed her dress into a heap on the floor and pulled one of his shirts over her head.

Will was just putting some marshmallows in the hot chocolate when Frankie came back into the kitchen. She'd washed off her makeup and had pulled her hair back with one of the ties she'd left over there the last time she was here.

"You want extra, don't you?" he asked holding up the marshmallow bag.

"If you don't mind," Frankie replied. "I'm sorry I woke you up."

"I wasn't really sleeping," he admitted. "I had a certain someone on my mind."

"A certain stubborn someone?" Frankie teased as he handed her a mug.

"I was a little stubborn too," Will said leading her over to the table. "We both are."

"I suppose that's what attracted us to each other," Frankie smiled as she stirred her melting marshmallows.

"One of the many things," Will said with a wink.

"Drew and Darla already have almost all our wedding coordinated," Frankie said after a few minutes of quiet between them. "Can you believe how quick they work?"

"Well they are experts," Will said. "And they both told me they were glad that someone in their family was using their skills. They were too young when Jon and Allie married and then Josh and Lizzy eloped."

Frankie laughed. "They're doing a great job. They have everything planned just how I want it to be."

"And we know how you like things to be your way," Will said before he could stop himself. "I didn't mean it that way Frankie...really..."

"It's okay," Frankie said. "I know I'm a bit spoiled that way."

"I shouldn't have said something like that though after what happened to you tonight," he said quickly.

"Will it's okay," Frankie insisted.

"You know what it's like growing up as the baby of the family," Will said. "So do I. We're used to having things our own way. But for me, it's more than that. I used to live in Jack's hand-me-downs. We shared the same room and he had to have everything his own way. I couldn't even have pictures on the wall. And when I moved in here, it was like I finally had a place to call my own. That's why I was so angry with you earlier today, Frankie," Will said honestly.

"I'm sorry for acting as if you had to move in my place," Frankie said. "Perhaps we should just find a nice house together, or a bigger flat for us both to move into."

"And you'd let me have input?" he asked. "On our new place?"

"Yes," Frankie said. "If we're both going to live there... we both agree on everything."

Will grinned. "You mean that, don't you?"

"Of course I do," Frankie said softly. "You mean so much to me Will. Sometimes it still scares me just how much I love you."

"I know how you feel," he said looking at her.

Frankie moved over to sit in his lap. "I know I have things to sleep in here but your shirt is so comfortable. I might not give it back," she joked.

"Please," Will said laughing. "You've taken so many of my t-shirts."

"They're soft," Frankie leaned against him as she finished her hot chocolate.

"Have I told you today how much I love you?" he asked kissing the back of her head.

"You might have, earlier," Frankie closed her eyes. "I feel so safe here with you Will."

"You are," he said softly. "Safe and loved, always."

They sat together for a few more minutes in a comfortable silence before a knock on the door reverberated through his flat. "What if..." Frankie had gone pale.

Will gently lifted Frankie off his lap and they both stood up. He grabbed his wand from the table and told her to stay there. "I'll take care of it."

Frankie peeked around the doorway as Will cracked open the front door. "What are you doing here?" she heard him ask.

"I thought Frankie might have wound up here," Alicia's voice floated in. "She disapparated right after we left the club and I just wanted to make sure she's okay."

Will stood back so she could come inside. "She's okay."

"Lee," Frankie came into the hall. "I'm so sorry--"

"You scared me half to death Franks," Alicia said enveloping her friend in a hug. "I was so worried."

Will tried not to let his surprise show at Alicia's unselfish concern.

"I just had to get out of there," Frankie said. She told Alicia what Jeff had tried to do.

"That smarmy bastard!" Alicia said angrily. "We should call someone! Your father would have him in Azkaban so fast, his freakishly shaped head would spin!"

"I don't want to create an issue out of it," Frankie wrapped her arms around herself as Will came by her side.

"He better hope he never runs into me," Will said putting an arm around Frankie.

For the first time that he could remember, Alicia looked at him with what could be considered admiration.

"I'm so glad you're okay Franks," Alicia said.

"Thanks Lee," Frankie smiled at her. "I'm really sorry for leaving you out there alone."

"I understand," Alicia said smiling back at her. "I had a feeling you'd come here."

"Yeah," Frankie smiled at her fiancé. "He's definitely my solid rock."

"I can see that," Alicia said. "Well, I should probably get home. I just wanted to make sure that you were okay."

"Thanks," Frankie hugged her best friend again. "I'm sorry we didn't get to stay out. I promise we'll do something this week."

"It's okay," Alicia said looking awkwardly at Will. She didn't know if she should hug him too. To her relief, he extended his hand and she shook it daintily. "You take good care of Franks now."

"I will," he said grinning at her. "You can count on that."

Frankie felt better than she had all day as her friend left. "Wow I think you guys are mending fences," she said happily.

"I don't know if I'd say that, but I think we realised we had something in common tonight," Will said. "We both care about you."

"Then that makes me a lucky girl," Frankie said softly.

Will gave her a soft kiss. "Come on, let's go to bed."

"Okay," she agreed. "I just want to fall asleep in your arms tonight."

"Let's see what we can do about that," Will said leading her to the bedroom.

*** *** ***

Jared's training was going extremely well. Smythe was quite impressed with new recruit and had asked Maddie to help out thinking it would benefit him even more to have someone his own age to talk about his training.

Maddie hadn't minded helping out. Jared was quite nice and she could understand how he felt dealing with this new responsibility that could both terrify and excite you at the same time.

They'd gone over some of his earliest visions that morning and after Maddie had shared some more of what she'd seen, they'd decided to break for an early lunch.

"I'm starving," Maddie said as she and Jared rode the lift down to the lobby. "I didn't have a chance to eat anything other than some toast this morning."

"So is the cafeteria here any good?" Jared asked, glad it was crowded in the lift- it gave him a chance to stand closer to her.

"Most of the time," Maddie said. "I just wouldn't eat lunch here on Thursdays if I were you. They have something that the cook calls Mystery Stew. No one knows what it is, but it smells horrible."

Jared laughed. "I'll keep that in mind. Good thing it's not Thursday."

The lift pinged open and she and Jared made their way through the crowd to the cafeteria. Unfortunately, there was a long queue.

"And it's usually a good idea to come down here after one," Maddie told Jared as they waited. "It's not as crowded as this."

"Thanks for the tip," he smiled at her. "You're a real good person to have around Maddie."

Maddie grinned. "Thanks Jared. It's been really nice having you around too."

He beamed with pride at her comment. "So how about we find a nice little corner table and chat some more about our visions," he said but she hadn't heard. Her attention had been diverted to two people sitting near the middle of the large room.

Maddie saw Ethan sitting with Bree again. She was about to put up her hand to wave when she saw Bree reach across the table and wipe something off Ethan's chin with her napkin. The momentary feeling of jealousy ebbed away though when Ethan caught her eye and smiled.

"Who's that?" Jared asked though he already knew the answer.

"That's Ethan," she said. "And that's our friend Bree."

"The famous boyfriend," Jared said trying to make his tone light. He looked over and saw Bree and Ethan laughing about something. "They sure seem close, don't they?"

"They used to date," Maddie explained. "But now they're just friends. She's seeing someone new as well."

Jared nodded. "Well, that's good that you can be friends with her too. Not too many girls I know would feel comfortable with their boyfriend's ex hanging around."

"I trust Ethan," Maddie said simply. "I know he loves me."

"Of course," Jared said quickly. "I wasn't trying to imply anything, Maddie. really. I meant no offence."

"I know you didn't," Maddie smiled at him. "Come on, let's get a sandwich and join them."

Jared nodded and a few minutes later he followed Maddie to Ethan and Bree's table.

"I most certainly did not!" Bree was saying. "Ethan! I never did that!"

"Yes you did," Ethan was chuckling. "Don't deny it, Sarah and Justin both heard the two of you."

"You know I would never do that," she said reaching across the table and swatting him on the arm. "You keep this up and I'll never sit with you again."

"Hey Mads!" Ethan said getting up and giving her a peck on the cheek. "I didn't know you were going to be down here."

"We decided to break a little earlier for lunch than we planned," Maddie smiled at him. "Hello Bree. How are you?"

"I'm good," Bree said smiling back at her. "Well, I take that back. I've been cooped up in an office with your boyfriend all morning."

"Bree's helping me on a case," Ethan explained.

"Ugh you were in the office with both Ethan and Justin?" Maddie wrinkled her nose. "Oh- this is Jared, the new guy in my department. Jared this is my boyfriend Ethan and this is our friend Bree."

"Hi Jared," Ethan said motioning for him to sit down. "Glad you could join us."

"Thanks," Jared forced a smile on his face and sat down next to Maddie.

"Oh I wanted to tell you Ethan," Maddie said. "Frankie wants us to go out either tonight or tomorrow with her, Will and Alicia."

Ethan looked at her strangely. "Mads? Did you just say Will and Alicia? I thought Will didn't like Alicia and vice versa?"

"Frankie's trying to make them get along," Maddie replied. "So we're all going out dancing- I told her I'd get back to her this afternoon if it was tonight or tomorrow."

"Tomorrow would be better for me," Ethan said. "I've got a meeting with Dad and Lupin after Justin and I finish up with Bree. I might not be home tonight until late."

"Okay," Maddie smiled at him. "I'll let her know." she looked at Bree. "Did you and Mason want to join us?"

"That's really sweet of you to ask Maddie," Bree said. "But we're already doing something tomorrow night, but how we make plans to do something else soon?"

"Sounds good," Maddie said. "How about you Jared? We could take you out and show you around London a bit."

Jared looked over at her. "I couldn't intrude like that, Maddie."

"Nonsense," Ethan said. "It'll be nice to have another bloke around."

Maddie touched Jared's arm. "Come on, Jared. I'm not going to take no for an answer."

"Well all right then," Jared grinned. "Thanks- count me in."

"Great," Maddie said grinning back at him. "You're going to have a great time."

Bree looked at her watch. "Ethan, we'd better get back. We were going to show your dad what we'd found out, remember?"

"Yeah," Ethan stood up. "Sorry we have to cut out so quick," he leaned in and gave his girlfriend a quick peck on the lips. "I promise I'll make up for it later." he whispered.

"Okay," Maddie said. "Tell your dad I said hello."

"See you later Maddie," Bree said. "And it was nice to meet you Jared."

"You two as well," Jared nodded, secretly thrilled they were leaving.

"It's a shame they couldn't stay longer," Maddie said when she and Jared were alone. "I think you and Ethan would really get along."

"Seems like a nice guy," Jared nodded, not really thinking about the other man.

"He really is," Maddie said. "But you'll get to know him and my other friends when you come out with us. I'm really glad that you agreed to come with."

This time his smile was more genuine. "It'll be fun for you and me to get to know each other out of work too," he said.

"I think so too," Maddie said before taking a bite of her sandwich.

"It's been really great having you around," Jared said honestly. "I mean, I was a bit of a wreck when I first started, after what happened with me and Cordelia and finally coming forward about my visions..."

"Were you and Cordelia together long?" Maddie asked.

"About eight months," he replied. That was about as long as it had taken him to get through her guard.

"It's a shame that she couldn't understand what was going on with you," Maddie said sympathetically.

"Yeah it's so tough, especially when you see someone be killed," he added quietly.

Maddie could remember all too well what that felt like. Her heart went out to Jared. "If you ever want to talk to somebody about it, I'll be here. You're going to help so many people, Jared."

"I hope so," he smiled at her. "Like I said, you've already helped me a lot."

Maddie grinned. "We're going to help each other Jared."

"I quite agree," Jared said, sneaking a glance down her robes as she leaned over to hug him. Maddie would help him indeed.

58. Chapter 58

A/N: For those of you still worried- again, Jared is NOT another Gordon. He doesn’t love Maddie like Gordon did Hermione, he just wants to get her in the sack.

Saffron’s back in this chapter, as well as some A/J and their girls, and E/M of course. As always, we hope you enjoy this and please let us know what you think!

The train ride back was passing by quickly as Saffron told R.J. and Alexa what she'd received from her parents, Ethan and Julie for her birthday.

"Can you believe I got to go back and talk to all the players?" she asked gleefully. "Ethan is the absolute BEST!"

"This would be the same brother that you were plotting revenge against on the train ride back home," R.J. asked. "Right?"

"But that was before he got me tickets to the sold out Quidditch game of the SEASON!" Saffron raved.

Alexa and R.J. laughed.

"We know Saf," R.J. said. "You're rubbed it in enough by now. I had to listen to it on the wireless."

Alexa grinned as she saw the same boy pass by their compartment and peek into the window before going back down the corridor.

"What is that bloke's problem?" R.J. asked when he noticed it too.

"He's in lurve with Saffron," Alexa teased.

"Sod off Lex," Saffron replied. "He's just my Charms study partner Peter."

"And who is this Peter when he's at home?" R.J. asked intrigued.

Saffron gave him a look. "So how was dinner at Lex's?" she changed the subject.

"My Dad is in love with Mrs. O'Leary's cooking," R.J. replied. "And speaking of which...."

His eyes focused on the woman pushing the sweets cart outside the compartment. As a rule, she usually started from the back of the train and worked her way up. But R.J. didn't think he could wait that long.

"I'm going to go work some of that Weasley charm," he said getting to his feet. "You two want anything?"

"I'm fine," Saffron said.

"Surprise me," Alexa grinned at her boyfriend.

"Will do," R.J. said giving her a quick kiss before leaving.

"Okay," Saffron said hugging her knees to her chest. "Spill. How was dinner? Did Sophie and Carrie embarrass you?"

"No," Alexa laughed. "They were fine- Ben was acting like a bit of an arse but other than that I've got the go ahead for Brighton this summer!"

"That's because Ben fancies you," Saffron said. "But I'm so happy your folks said that you could go!"

"Ben does not fancy me," Alexa informed her. "We've been friends since birth. He's just being protective."

"Lex," Saffron said rolling her eyes. "Please! He fancies you. He always has. I certainly picked up on it the first time I met him."

"Whatever," Alexa said. "But I showed R.J. the tree house."

"Did you?" Saffron said grinning at her. "And I imagine you snogged once or twice up there, too eh?"

"Oh yes," Alexa blushed. "But you won't believe what I almost said."

Saffron giggled and said in a very high-pitched dramatic voice, "Oh R.J. you're so handsome and gorgeous and lovely. I loooooooooooooooooove you soooooooo much..." When Alexa didn't join in, Saffron stared at her. "You really said that?"

"I almost told him I loved him," Alexa whispered, her face bright red.

"Really?" Saffron squeaked.

"Yeah," Alexa started toying with her hair. "We got interrupted... I wonder if he'd have run off if I HAD said it."

"I don't know," Saffron said keeping her voice low in case R.J. reappeared. "But do you? Do you really?"

"I don't know," Alexa confessed. "I can't stop thinking about him Saffy... but I’m only fourteen you know?"

"And he's sixteen," Saffron said. "But I don't think that matters. It's not about age, Lex. It's about how you feel."

"Maybe it's all because we're still rather new, we've only been dating a few months." Alexa said. "But it's like, when we're not together, he's all I think about. If I didn't have you to keep me grounded with school and a regular life, who knows what I'd be like?" she laughed.

Saffron giggled. "Well, I'm glad to help any way I can..."

Her voice trailed off as R.J. came back into the compartment, but he wasn't alone. Standing beside him was a very red-faced Peter.

"Look who I ran into," R.J. said winking at Saffron.

Saffron glared at him. "Hi Pete. Sorry if R.J. embarrassed you, he's a wanker and has a habit of taking the Mickey out of undeserving people."

R.J. grinned at Alexa as he took a seat handing her some sweets.

"Hi Saffy," Peter said shyly. "I wanted to tell you Happy Birthday, belatedly of course. Did you get the card I sent?"

"I did," Saffron smiled at him. "That was really nice of you- thanks!"

Peter beamed back at her. "I'm so glad you liked it. I wish I could have delivered it in person, but..."

"It's okay," Saffron said. "My Easter hols were so busy. I got to go to the Quidditch match!"

"Don't get her started," R.J. groaned.

"Did you really?" Peter asked taking a seat beside Saffron. "You kept telling me how much you wanted to go. That's great!"

"My brother got me tickets as a surprise," Saffron ignored R.J.. "And then he also got passes for us to go backstage and meet the players in person!"

"That's brilliant!" Peter said and he listened intently as Saffron recounted the entire game for him.

R.J. leaned back in his seat. "That boy has got it bad," he whispered to Alexa.

"Tell me about it," Alexa whispered back. "Saffy's so intent on her studying and not worrying about guys that she doesn't see it at all."

"How could you not?" R.J. asked looking as Peter gazed almost adoringly at Saffron.

Alexa giggled. "Thanks for the sweets," she said. "I have a little surprise for you by the way."

"You do?" R.J. asked. "What is it?"

"My mum sent this over since I told her you didn't get any on Easter," Alexa handed him a small brick of homemade fudge.

R.J. leaned in and kissed her. "You are the best Lex."

Alexa grinned back at him. "Is that what it takes to win you over? Chocolate?"

"It's a good place to start," he said pulling her closer. "I missed you Lexie."

"I missed you too," she rested her head on his shoulder.

"I keep thinking about that night in your tree house," he said softly.

"I did too," she whispered. "What would have happened if your dad hadn't come out?"

"I would have kissed you some more," he replied with a grin. "And some more...."

Alexa laughed. "I'm sorry we got interrupted then..."

"My dad has this nasty habit of doing that," R.J. said. He was still curious as to what she'd wanted to say to him, but figured she'd tell him when she was ready.

"I've got to go," Peter was saying to Saffron. "But um... perhaps tonight after dinner you want to get together and go over some Charms work?"

"That sounds good," Saffron said. "I didn't get a chance to go over that assignment while we were home. Want to meet in the library?"

"Sure," Peter stumbled over the doorway as he left. "I'll see you later Saffy." he waved to R.J. and Alexa who managed to hold in their laughter until he was gone.

"Man does that bloke have it bad for you," R.J. chuckled.

"He does not!" Saffron said glaring at him.

"Saf the guy just fell over his own two feet trying to walk out of here." R.J. pointed out.

"I've tripped over that spot myself," Saffron said defensively.

"Sure you have," R.J. teased.

"Will you please drop it?" Saffron asked him. "Peter and I are just friends...."

"Come on Saffy, if you ask him to Hogsmeade we can double the next weekend we go there." Alexa said. "That would be so much fun!"

"We sure would," R.J. said grinning devilishly at Saffron. "Me and Lexie and you and Petey-poo."

"Shut up R.J.," Saffron glowered. "You are SUCH an arse."

"Why thank you Saffron," R.J. said. "I think I have such an arse too."

"I can vouch he does," Alexa laughed.

"I really don't want to sit here and talk about R.J.’s arse," Saffron said. "Can we talk about something else please?"

"My excellent snogging ability?" R.J. asked. "You both know how good I am at that."

This time both Alexa and Saffron glared at him.

"Maybe not," R.J. said taking a piece of the fudge and popping it into his mouth.

"I think we'll avoid that thanks," Saffron replied, reaching for a pumpkin pasty R.J. had left on the seat next to him.

"Good idea," Alexa said. "So did you get a chance to do much flying with your Dad, Saffy?"

"Almost every day," Saffron said. "On my new broom I fly so fast. I can't wait to try out for the Quidditch team next year. There's no way they aren't going to accept me now!"

"If I'm captain," R.J. said. "You will be."

"Well then I hope you're captain," Saffron said.

"I will be," R.J. said. "Who else would they get?"

"If I was already on the team they'd probably pick me," Saffron tossed her hair, which she'd left down that day, over her shoulder. "I am so much better than you R.J.. I just haven't tried out yet."

"Saffron," R.J. said shaking his head. "You aren't better than me."

"Says you," she retorted. "Alexa knows how good I am. I'm even better than Ethan and I'm even quicker than my Dad in catching the snitch!"

"She is really, really good," Alexa told R.J..

"Better than me?" R.J. asked with an injured tone. "Lexie!"

"I didn't say that," Alexa said quickly. "I think you're both great!"

"Nice save," Saffron grinned at her best friend.

Alexa blushed. "Thanks."

"You really going to balance being a prefect with playing on the team," R.J. said knowing that in addition to wanting to be on the team, Saffron's great goal was to be named prefect next year.

"I'll find a way," Saffron said determinedly. "I'm going to stay on the top of the class too. I'm not going to let some dumb Ravenclaw inch me out."

"And after that Head Girl," Alexa said grinning at her friend. "Right Saf?"

"Exactly," Saffron grinned. "Lex knows what I want."

"And what does Lex want?" R.J. asked looking at his girlfriend.

"She's already got it right here," Alexa said happily.

Saffron grinned evilly. "Speaking of which, did you see that idiot Christina's face when you two snogged on the platform? Talk about jealousy. It was fabulous."

"Maybe she learned a thing or two," Alexa said surprising herself.

Saffron snorted. "Yeah right? The Hufflepuff wannabe?"

"Would you two kittens like some milk?" R.J. teased.

"You're the dork who went out with her," Saffron said dismissively. "If I was a guy I wouldn't be THAT stupid."

This time it was R.J. who glared at Saffron. "Okay, Saffy. How about we talk some more about you and Petey then?"

Saffron smiled at him sweetly. "There is no me and Petey, Ronald Jr. Don't try and turn this on me either."

"Not yet," R.J. said. "But give it time and I think old Petey might just wear you down, Saffron Grace."

"Whatever," Saffron rolled her eyes. "I know what I want and that doesn't include Peter, I'm sorry to say. I don’t think of him like that."

"Poor, poor Peter," R.J. said. "Ah, Saffron. You haven't met the right person yet. I think you'll change your tune."

*** *** ***

It was a few weeks after Easter and Jon, Allison, Caroline and Emma were enjoying an unseasonably warm day in their little backyard. "Come on Ems," Jon encouraged. "You can do it baby girl!"

"Yay Emma!" Caroline cheered. She was sitting atop the toy magic carpet that hovered a foot in the air- Frankie's Christmas gift to her. "I think she's going to walk Daddy!"

Allison helped Emma stand and the little girl wobbled a bit when Allison let go of her little hands.

"Dada..." Emma said staring at him and opening her hands up.

"That's it baby!" Jon said encouragingly. "Come to Dada!"

Emma plopped down on the grass.

"Nearly there," Allison said leaning down and putting Emma's white sun hat back on. "You almost did it sweetheart."

"I can't believe how big she's getting," Jon commented as Caroline jumped down from her little toy carpet to join her sister on the grass. "Well both of them really..."

"I know," Allison said leaning against her husband. "It seems like just yesterday we were teaching Caroline how to walk."

"Aye," Jon agreed with a grin, looking at his wife and two daughters. He kissed the side of Allison's head. "I love you," he whispered to her.

"I love you," she said softly. "And I'm glad you stayed home today."

"It's nice to have a day off," Jon said. "Wish I could do it more often."

"Well you remember when I told you that people would be lined up around the block to have you teach them to fly?" Allison asked.

"Yeah," Jon grinned at her. "You were right Al. Right as rain."

Caroline looked up at her father. "Daddy? Emma, Max and me want you to tell us a story."

"A story?" Jon asked.

"Yes," Caroline nodded. "A good story too!"

"Okay," Jon said plopping down on the blanket and pulling Caroline into his lap as Allison did the same with Emma. Max sat between them half asleep.

"Okay," Jon said thoughtfully. "There once was this handsome prince who loved the prettiest girl in all the land..."

"Was she the most beautiful?" Caroline asked eagerly. "And was her name Caroline?"

"Princess Caroline is really beautiful, but she doesn't come into the story just yet," Jon said kissing the side of Caroline's head. "But don't worry, she's going to be in there really soon angel girl."

"Okay," Caroline said happily.

Jon grinned. "Well, the handsome prince loved the beautiful girl, but she didn't notice him. In fact, she was very infatuated with the prince's brother...."

"She was?" Caroline's eyes widened as Allison giggled.

"She was," Jon said nodding. "Even though the Prince's brother looked very much like him, he was not as handsome, or clever or nice as the prince. But still the beautiful maiden seemed blind to all that..."

Caroline and Emma hung on their father's every word.

"One day, the prince's father and mother took the prince and his brother and the rest of the family to this...um, place..."

"The kingdom of Hillsdale?" Allison suggested.

"Right," Jon agreed. "And the handsome prince decided to try his luck with the beautiful princess."

"What was the prince's name Daddy?" Caroline asked.

"The prince's name was Jonathan," Jon said with a grin at Allison.

"Daddy that's your name!" Caroline giggled.

"Is it now?" Jon asked winking at her. "Well, the prince was determined that he would finally win the hand of the beautiful princess..."

"But you know what girls?" Allison asked and her two daughters turned and looked at her. "The prince had tried on so many occasions to win her attention. He kept doing all these silly tricks and pulled all these pranks to get her to notice him...."

"Like what?" Caroline asked intrigued.

"Like shooting sticky silly string all over her homework!" Allison said with wide eyes.

"He did?" Caroline asked. "Was she upset?"

"She was furious," Allison continued. "But she didn't know he was really doing it because he wanted her to notice him. She thought he was just a bumbling oaf."

"Oh," Caroline giggled and Emma, who was doing everything her sister did, laughed too.

"He was still a handsome bumbling oaf," Jon clarified. "So, he decided to take his chance with the fair princess, but it wasn't easy."

"Why?" Caroline asked.

"Because he was scared that she'd never fancy him back," Jon replied. "But to his surprise, when he asked the princess to take a walk after dinner, she agreed."

"Did they kiss?" Caroline's eyes were wide.

Allison nodded. "A few nights later under a really starry sky, the prince kissed the princess on the front steps of her cab--castle."

"Like the Beast did to Belle?" Caroline was eager for a picture.

"Exactly like that!" Allison said grinning at her. "And she felt like she was walking on air."

"She did?" Jon asked.

"Oh yes," Allison said. "It was the princess's first kiss ever and it made her so, so happy."

"What about the prince's brother?" Caroline asked.

"Well," Jon said. "He realised that he really did love the princess after all, but it was too late."

"The princess had already fallen deeply in love with Prince Jonathan," Allison continued. "And wanted to be with him all the time."

"Ohhh..." Emma cooed.

Jon laughed and tugged on one of the red curls peeking out from under Emma's sun hat.

"The prince and princess were really happy, but her father the king was against the relationship," Allison said. "The princess was heartbroken when the king said she couldn't see him anymore."

"What did they do?" Caroline was completely captivated by this.

"Well," Jon said leaning forward. "The prince decided he was going to rescue the princess from the tower the king had locked her away in...."

"Oooh," Caroline said.

"And rescue her he did," Allison said, leaning in. "He took her away and they married in secret!"

"They did?" Caroline asked. "Was the king really mad when he found out?"

"He was, but he realised he had to accept that the prince and princess were going to be together forever," Jon replied. "And then you know what happened?"

Emma and Caroline both shook their heads.

"They went on a royal honeymoon, and not long after that, they had their own princess for a daughter," Jon said.

"Princess Caroline?" Caroline asked with a knowing grin.

"That's right!" Allison grinned. "And she had a royal dog- I bet you know what his name was."

"Max," Caroline answered happily.

"And then a few years later, Princess Emma was born," Jon said and Emma clapped her hands together.

"And they all lived happily ever after," Allison finished.

"Yay!" Caroline said jumping up from her father's lap.

"Was that good enough for you angel girl?" Jon tickled his oldest daughter.

Caroline nodded. "It was really good Daddy."

"Emma?" Allison asked. "You want to try walking one more time?"

"Walk," Emma nodded. "Eat!"

"Spoken like a true Weasley," Allison said laughing. "How about we try walking one more time and then we'll go get a treat?"

"Can we have cupcakes Mummy?" Caroline asked, hopping back onto her magic carpet.

"I think that could be arranged," Allison said. "You and your sister can help me while your daddy cuts the grass."

Jon groaned. He had hoped Allison had forgotten about his promise to do just that.

"Come on Jon, it needs it." Allison pointed out.

"Right," Jon said nodding. "But before I do, I know my little girl is ready to walk...come on Ems. Come to Daddy."

"Dada!" Emma said as she wobbled on her little legs.

"That's it," Caroline called out. "You can do it Emma!"

"Dada walk!" Emma babbled as Allison held onto her hands steadfastly.

Allison grinned down at Emma. "There you go....yes....Emma...."

"Walk!" Emma screamed proudly as her mother carefully let go of one hand, then the other.

"Come on baby!" Jon said encouragingly. "Just a couple more steps. You're doing so good!"

"Dada!" Emma said again, walking her first unsteady steps towards her father.

Emma successfully made her way into Jon's open arms and he swooped her up and spun her around.

Allison and Caroline clapped enthusiastically. "Way to go Emma!"

"I walk Dada!" Emma giggled as her hat fell off and her red curls glinted in the sunlight.

"Yes you do baby," Jon kissed her forehead. "Dada's very proud."

Emma buried her face in her father's shoulder.

"I think the walk knackered her out," Allison said with a laugh.

"Is it time for a kip baby?" Jon patted her back. "Come on Daddy will put you to bed.

"And you can have a cupcake when you wake up Em!" Caroline said excitedly.

"Sweepy Dada," Emma said resting her head on his chest. "Sweepy."

"Sweepy," Jon said with a laugh. "All right, inside you lot. Caroline make sure you bring that carpet in with you."

"I will," Caroline promised. She helped her mother gather their toys and the carpet. "Mummy?" she asked when they were alone.

"What is it angel?" she asked.

"I'm really glad you chose Daddy," Caroline said simply.

Allison smiled at her. "Me too. He's the best isn't he?"

Caroline nodded. "He's the bestest."

"And you and Emma are also the bestest," Allison laughed, putting the toys down so she could pull her daughter into a hug. "You know Daddy and I are proud of you too- for being such a wonderful big sister and for taking such good care of Max."

"You are?" Caroline asked proudly.

"Absolutely," Allison tugged on a lock of Caroline's brown hair.

"Can we put sprinkles on the cupcakes?" Caroline asked.

"Of course we can." Allison said. "Chocolate icing and rainbow sprinkles!"

Caroline grinned. "Let's get started Mummy!"

"All right angel," Allison laughed. "We'll put your favourite apron on okay?"

Her favourite apron was one of Allison's old ones that read "Kiss the Cook". Jon had shrunk the apron for her and anytime Caroline helped in the kitchen, she insisted on wearing it.

"There we go," Allison said. "It's Chef Caroline!"

"Don't tell Nana this, but you cook just as good as she does," Caroline whispered to her mother.

Allison laughed. "No one cooks as good as Nana but thank you baby."

"You do!" Caroline argued. "And I'd say that even if you weren't my mummy."

"Well I hope I passed my talents down to you then," Allison said.

"Grandma Cho can't cook," Caroline said watching as Allison got out the ingredients for the cupcakes. "How did you learn?"

"From your Grandpa," Allison said. "You know Grandpa Neville is a wonderful cook. His spaghetti is the best."

"He does make good pasketti," Caroline agreed.

Allison laughed. "He taught me, Aunt Chiaki and Aunt Frankie everything he knows. And in a few years, I'll start showing you. How's that sound?"

"I'd like that," Caroline replied.

"I look forward to it," Allison kissed the top of Caroline's head.

*** *** ***

Frankie stood at her closet wondering what on earth she would wear tonight. This was going to be a great night. With a little luck, Alicia and Will would finally find some common ground and Alicia would see what a great girl Maddie was. It meant the world to Frankie that the most important people in her life got along.

"You should wear the black one," Alicia said absently as she did her nails. "You know the one I'm talking about..."

"I do," Frankie said. "The backless..."

"That's the one," Alicia said looking up with a grin. "Mr. Boring will be unable to keep his hands off you."

"Lee please stop calling him that," Frankie pleaded. "And Maddie's going to be here any minute and you promised you'd be nice to her too."

"I'll be a good little girl," Alicia promised. "And I'm sorry, old habits die hard Franks. I'm going to try and stop calling him that."

"Thank you," Frankie said, pulling the dress from her closet and examining it. "I wonder what Maddie's wearing tonight."

"From what I've seen, she'll probably wear some long flowing skirt with a flower pattern," Alicia replied. When Frankie glared at her, Alicia shrugged. "That's all I've ever seen her in Franks."

"You've met her all of once," Frankie replied. "And that was the one time we were dress shopping."

"Well that's what she was wearing when I saw her," Alicia said defensively. "But I will give her this; the girl does have great hair. I would kill for hair like that."

"No kidding," Frankie's face relaxed. "And it's so long too. I could never bother with hair that long but it just suits her so well."

"Frankie?" Maddie called out from the sitting room where she'd just arrived via floo.

"We're in here Maddie!" Frankie called out. With one last look at Alicia, she whispered, "Be nice to her Lee. For me."

"I already said I would," Alicia whispered back right before Maddie entered the bedroom.

"I'm sorry I'm late," Maddie apologised. "And I hate to ask you this, but can I borrow something to wear? I put on what I planned on wearing and it looked just awful on me tonight for some reason and--"

"What a lovely skirt," Alicia said looking at Maddie's long flowing skirt. She shared a look with Frankie who glared at her.

"Of course you can," Frankie said. "And I know just the thing for you..."

To Alicia's amazement, Frankie pulled out the black dress that they'd been discussing earlier.

"Oh I couldn't wear that," Maddie said with wide eyes.

"Why not?" Frankie asked holding it up to Maddie. "This dress would look great on you and you have a great body, Maddie. You should show it off more."

"But that... I don't know if..." Maddie touched the black dress hesitantly. "Well maybe I'll try it on and see how it looks?"

Frankie motioned to the loo. "You're going to look fabulous. Now go change...."

Maddie gave them an apprehensive look before disappearing behind the bedroom door.

"I thought YOU were going to wear that," Alicia whispered.

"Will's already seen me in it," Frankie said dismissively.

"Well yes but--" Alicia said. "I thought you wanted to wear it."

"I want to wear something Will hasn't seen me in," Frankie said with a whisper so Maddie wouldn't hear. "And I know Maddie will look fantastic in that dress, Lee."

"I suppose you're right," Alicia finished her nails. "How do they look?" she held out her hands for inspection.

"Great," Frankie said grinning at her.

"Frankie," Maddie called out from the bathroom. "I really...really....don't know about this...."

"Madeline Weasley get out here and let us see," Frankie commanded.

Maddie inched back into Frankie's bedroom. "It's a little um... smaller than I'd usually wear."

"Maddie!" Frankie grinned. "You look amazing in that dress. Doesn't she, Lee?"

"Definitely," Alicia agreed. "Maddie it's not fair that you look so hot." she grinned.

"You ought to see how she eats," Frankie said. "An appetite as big as her dad's and never gains a stone. We'd hate you if you weren't so bloody wonderful, Maddie."

Maddie turned red. "Oh stop," she said. "So you really think I should wear this?"

"I do," Frankie said. "But I don't want you to feel uncomfortable or anything...."

"Do you think Ethan will like it?" Maddie asked.

"He has a pulse right?" Alicia replied lazily.

"Allie told me how much he liked it when you wore that white bikini at Brighton," Frankie said. "And if he liked that, he's going to positively love you in this."

"Okay," Maddie said. "Thanks Frankie. I appreciate this."

"Hey Maddie?" Alicia asked. "Can I play with your hair?"

"She's not a doll," Frankie teased.

"I know but I'm dying to have hair like hers and since that's not happening anytime soon, I just want to play around with hers," Alicia replied. "Please Maddie?"

"Sure," Maddie replied.

Alicia squealed. "Okay sit here," she motioned to Frankie's dressing table. She grabbed a comb and began dragging it through Maddie's blonde locks. "How'd you get your hair so long?"

"I don't know," Maddie said. "It's just always been this way."

"She's Caroline's favourite client when they play beauty salon," Frankie said.

"Who's Caroline again?" Alicia asked.

"She's Allie's daughter," Frankie said rolling her eyes. "I've told you that a million times. And Maddie's brother Jon is Caroline's father."

"I'm sorry I keep forgetting," Alicia said. "Can I straighten your hair?" she asked Maddie.

"Oooh," Frankie said looking at her friend. "That would look fantastic, Maddie." She couldn't remember ever seeing Maddie with her hair straightened.

"Why not?" Maddie asked. "It's been a long time since anyone's bothered with my hair so sure, go ahead."

Alicia grinned and Frankie could only shake her head in amusement as she walked back over to her closet to pick out another outfit. "So Ethan said someone else was coming with?" she asked over her shoulder.

"Yes," Maddie said as Alicia began working on her hair. "Jared, the new guy from my department at work."

"What's he look like?" Alicia asked intrigued.

"Um," Maddie thought for a moment. "He's about as tall as Will; he's got dark blond hair and really dark blue eyes. He's a bit quiet- his girlfriend recently broke up with him so we almost didn't convince him to come out tonight at all."

Frankie could practically see the wheels turning in her best friend's head. "Down, Lee. The poor bloke's on the rebound."

"That's the best time to pounce," Alicia said, using her wand to straighten out Maddie's hair. "And he sounds totally adorable."

"He is," Maddie said. She didn't want to say anything to hurt Alicia's feelings, but she honestly didn't think Jared was Alicia's type. "He's kind of quiet though Alicia."

"They're all quiet before I get a hold of them," Alicia grinned.

Frankie laughed and finally picked out an emerald green slip dress. "Poor Jared won't know what hit him...."

"Damn straight," Alicia said. "How's that look Maddie?"

Maddie took in her reflection in the mirror. "It doesn't look like me...."

"Mads," Frankie said. "You look gorgeous!"

"Really?" Maddie asked shyly.

"Uh yes!" Frankie said. "You put the two of us to shame. Picture that once we slap some makeup onto you..." she teased.

"Why do I feel as if I'm being made over?" Maddie asked but she was laughing. It was nice to have girl friends. The only ones she'd had growing up had been her sister in law Allie, Saffron and her two sisters.

"It's not such a bad thing," Frankie grinned at her. "And you want to knock Ethan's socks off right? He's not going to know what hit him."

Maddie grinned. "Okay then."

"It's not as if you'll need much," Alicia said digging into her own makeup bag. "Franks is right, Maddie. You're beautiful and you have that natural look that most girls would kill for. I'd hate you if you weren't so nice."

"Thanks I think," Maddie laughed. "I like you too Alicia."

"We'd better get a move on," Frankie said glimpsing the clock on her bedside table. They were to meet the boys in about a half an hour.

"Right," Alicia said. "You don't mind this do you Maddie?"

"Not at all," Maddie said. "This is fun."

"Great," Alicia smiled broadly.

"This place we're going to," Maddie said as Alicia applied some powder to her face. "What's it like?"

"It's pretty cool," Frankie said, playing around with her own hair. "It's not too smoky which is nice, and they have decent drinks and lots of dancing room."

"That sounds good," Maddie said. "Though I have a confession to make, I've never actually been clubbing before."

"I saw you out dancing that one time," Frankie said, making a face. "When I was out with that... wanker of a human being Jeff?" the only reason she had agreed to go to a club that night was because Will would be there with her.

"Well, we didn't stay there very long," Maddie admitted. "So I didn't really get the chance to experience it, did I?"

"We'll show you the ropes," Alicia said.

"It's really fun," Frankie said, finally deciding to put her hair up. "Especially since you're there with someone. It's always fun to go and pick up guys of course, but now you'll just get to dance the night away with Ethan. And he's not going to be able to keep his hands off you for a moment."

"I bet the two of you are all over each other all the time," Alicia said teasingly. "With the two of you living together and all. I bet you shag like a pair of rabbits..."

"Alicia!" Frankie said glaring at her.

"What?" Alicia asked.

"That's none of your business, is it?" Frankie asked. "I'm sorry Maddie..."

"It's okay," Maddie said softly, not sure if she wanted to disclose to Alicia that she and Ethan were waiting until they were married.

"What Maddie and Ethan do or don't do is between them," Frankie lectured her friend. "And I really don't think you should pry..."

"Sorry," Alicia said, not really sounding very sorry.

"It's okay really," Maddie said grateful when Alicia resumed applying her makeup.

"He's really gorgeous though," Alicia said. "Do you know I even asked Frankie once if she'd set us up."

"But I liked Ethan too much to unleash Lee on him," Frankie said.

"Thanks a lot Frankie," Alicia sounded insulted.

"Well he's been hung up on Maddie for awhile now." Frankie said. "Maddie staked her claim on him when she was about five anyways," she teased.

Maddie giggled. "And it only took me how many years to snag him?"

"He's a typical male," Frankie said. "Didn't see what he wanted until much later."

"Well," Alicia said finishing up with Maddie's makeup. "I think he'll definitely know what he wants tonight. Take a look...."

"Is that really me?" Maddie asked after a long moment of staring in the mirror.

Frankie smiled. "That's you. Sweet little Maddie all grown up."

Maddie gave her a wry smile. "Thanks Frankie."

"I just gave you the dress," Frankie said beaming at her.

"I think that makes all the difference," Maddie laughed. "You both look gorgeous too."

"We do," Alicia agreed. "Now, how about we go turn some heads?"

"Works for me," Frankie said. "Although I'm only looking to turn one head."

At the club, Ethan and Will were trying to engage Jared in their conversation, but the other bloke had been quiet ever since they'd arrived.

"So which team do you pull for?" Will asked Jared who greeted him with a blank stare. "Quidditch I mean."

"Oh... none really." Jared said. "I'm not much into Quidditch."

Ethan nearly choked on his beer. "You're not?"

"I just don't find it very interesting I guess." Jared shrugged.

"What do you do for fun then?" Will asked conversationally.

"I read," Jared said. "I used to spend most of my time with my girlfriend."

"You never used to just go out to the pub with your mates?" Ethan asked.

"I guess once in awhile," Jared replied, hoping Maddie would get here soon. He was planning on asking her to dance with him tonight, his plan to start showing her how much better off she would be with him rather than this bloke.

Will and Ethan exchanged a look. This Jared was certainly a closed book. Will took another long swig of his beer.

"I really got a kick out of meeting your little sister," Will said to Ethan. "She was like a kid in a candy store at the match."

Ethan laughed. "Saffy's sure one of a kind isn't she?"

"She is that," Will said. "And didn't seem so hell bent on revenge after you sprung that surprise on her, eh?"

"Of course not," Ethan snorted. "I became big brother of the bloody year after that."

"Do you have any brothers or sisters Jared?" Will asked again attempting to get him to talk, but Jared just shook his head and muttered something about going to get himself another drink.

"Isn't he the life of the party," Will said when he and Ethan were alone.

"No kidding," Ethan replied. "Shite, it's like pulling nails to get him to talk."

"Should be a fun night with him," Will said. "And Alicia calls me Mr. Boring. Wait until she gets a load of him."

Ethan laughed. "And Mads thinks she's going to fix the two of them up."

"Speaking of Maddie," Will asked looking at his watch. "Where are they?"

"They should be here soon," Ethan replied.

"How's work going for you?" Will asked.

"Busy as hell," Ethan replied. "But good. I've had to get some help on me and Justin's latest case."

"Your dad?" Will guessed.

"No," Ethan said, gulping down the rest of his beer. "My ex girlfriend actually."

"Really?" Will asked wide-eyed.

"Yeah," Ethan said. "We stayed friends and she's really smart- she actually offered to help us."

"That's good," Will said. "Not too many people can stay friends with their exes."

"Yeah," Ethan shrugged as Jared sat down again, new drink in hand. "Bree's pretty cool. She's loosened up since she started dating this other guy."

Jared's ears perked up as he caught the name Bree. "How long did you two go out?" he asked and Will and Ethan both looked over at him in surprise.

"About six months," Ethan told him. "Why do you ask?"

"Just curious," Jared said quickly. "You know Cordelia and I were together for eight months. Sometimes it just seems like I'll never get over her. But you didn't seem to have that problem when you chucked Bree, eh?"

"I didn't chuck her," Ethan said sharply.

"You broke things off with her and then started dating Maddie soon after," Jared shot back.

"I beg your pardon but I didn't start dating Maddie until almost six months after Bree and I broke up," Ethan returned.

Jared smirked. "I guess I was mistaken. I didn't mean any offence..."

Will put a hand on Ethan's arm. "Look, the girls are here," he said, hoping to avoid a fight between the two men.

Ethan glared at Jared before turning around. His jaw dropped as he saw the three girls approaching them. "Mads?"

"Hi Ethan," Maddie smiled shyly at him as Will kissed Frankie hello. "I um... I let the girls sort of dress me up tonight."

"I-I...um....whoa," Ethan stammered. "I mean you look...."

"Beautiful," Jared finished.

Maddie looked over at him. "Hello Jared," she blushed. "Thanks."

Jared had known Maddie was beautiful, but he had no idea that she had a body like this. The robes she wore to work covered her up but this dress certainly left nothing to the imagination. He had the urge to take her back to his own flat and....

"Hi," Alicia said getting in front of him. "I'm Alicia."

"Hi," Jared said automatically, forcing his eyes from Maddie.

"How would you like to buy me a drink?" Alicia asked flirtatiously. "You know you want to...."

Maddie giggled. "At least let me introduce him. Jared, you've obviously met Alicia. And this is Frankie."

"Nice to meet you Jared," Frankie said warmly. "Maddie's told us a lot about you."

"Hi," Jared said again. "Nice to meet you both."

"Now that we've been formally introduced," Alicia said touching Jared's arm. "How about that drink?"

"I uh..." Jared replied. "I guess I could get you one."

Alicia took his reluctance as nervousness and found it even more endearing. "And then maybe we could dance?"

"I guess," Jared said. "What do you want to drink?"

"Apple martini," she purred. "And don't worry; I'll keep your seat warm."

"Okay," Jared said. He looked at Maddie. "Can I get anyone else anything?"

"I'll take a cosmopolitan," Frankie said, squeezing Will's hand. "I'll buy you something later."

"I'm fine for now," Maddie replied. "Thank you Jared."

"You're quite welcome Maddie," Jared said grinning at her before departing for the bar.

"He's yummy Maddie," Alicia said watching him go. "Absolutely yummy."

"I guess," Maddie sat next to Ethan. "I haven't really paid attention though."

"Of course you haven't," Alicia teased. "Look at what you've got."

"Close your mouth Ethan," Frankie joked. "You're starting to attract attention."

"I can't help it," Ethan put his arm around Maddie's waist. "Look at this gorgeous creature sitting next to me!"

Maddie grinned and leaned against him.

"I missed you today," he said, putting his other arm around her. "I didn't get to see you at lunch."

"I know," she apologised. "We've both been really busy, haven't we?"

"Just a bit," Ethan kissed her. "We'll have to make up for that won't we?"

"You know how we could start?" Maddie asked.

"How?" he asked, running his hands through her hair.

"Dance with me," she whispered.

He grinned. "Of course."

Maddie smiled and took Ethan's hand. "We'll be right back," she called over her shoulder to their friends.

"Have fun," Frankie grinned. "Well Lee, mission accomplished."

Alicia nodded. "We make a great team Franks."

"So do you really think I look good?" Maddie asked as she and Ethan pressed closely to each other on the dance floor.

"Are you kidding?" he asked. "You rendered me speechless back there."

She grinned. "I did?"

Ethan nodded. "And when I look at you like this, all I want to do is...forget about waiting like we planned."

Maddie leaned into him. "I get tempted so often Ethan," she said.

"It's going to be worth it," Ethan said. "But it's so frustrating sometimes."

"Having me dressed like this probably doesn't help," Maddie said, looking down at the floor.

"No," he said tilting her chin up. "It doesn't, but I'll try and muddle through."

Maddie laughed. "I wanted to look good for you Ethan James."

"You do," he said kissing her. He knew she wasn't a fan of public displays of affection like this, but he couldn't help it.

"Mmm..." she said, winding her arms around his neck to keep him as close as possible. "I've been waiting for that all day," Maddie added when they parted briefly.

"Me too," he said kissing her again.

She let his tongue slip into her mouth as she pressed herself tighter against him. "Ethan," she sighed into his mouth.

"Mmm," Ethan said breathlessly.

"I miss being with you all the time," Maddie said, her forehead against his. "I love you so much Ethan."

"I know," he whispered. "I love you too Mads. So very much."

The music flowing around the room combined with the way she felt dressed up like this made Maddie feel much more confident than she normally did. "Touch me," she breathed into his ear as they danced closely.

Ethan's eyes slowly moved over her as if trying to believe what she'd just said. He put his hand on her thigh and slowly moved it upward.

She closed her eyes, leaning her head against his shoulder.

"Do you have any idea what you do to me?" he asked in her ear.

"How about what you do for me?" Maddie's voice had gone husky as his hand moved further up between her thighs.

"You feel amazing," he breathed looking into her eyes.

"Please keep going," Maddie begged breathlessly, not caring one bit they were in the middle of a crowded dance floor.

"Do you trust me?" he asked as his hands lingered on the waistband of her knickers.

"Of course I do," Maddie said as he began to move them to a darker corner of the club.

"Good," Ethan whispered. He didn't want to chance anyone interrupting them and he hoped that when the time came, he'd be able to put on the brakes before they went further than they were supposed to go.

She followed him willingly as they sat down on one of the sofas and started kissing again immediately, clinging to each other as his hand returned to under her dress.

"Remind me," he said in between kisses. "To thank...Frankie....for letting you borrow this dress."

"I will," Maddie giggled as his lips attacked her neck.

Ethan gently pushed one of the straps of her dress down so he could kiss her shoulder.

"Mmmm..." she murmured. "Please keep going Ethan."

"Maddie," he whispered gruffly burying his face in her neck again as his hands again snaked precariously close to where they'd been on the dance floor.

"I want this Ethan," she said weakly. "I really, really want this."

Without another word, Ethan slipped a finger inside her.

Maddie gasped. "Oh," she said, her fingers digging into his shoulders.

"Is this okay?" he murmured against her skin.

"Oh God yes," she whimpered. "I didn't know this could feel so good."

Ethan kissed her again and had just pulled her onto his lap when he heard someone calling out Maddie's name. He was so dazed that for a moment, he thought it was him.

"Maddie?" Jared's familiar voice called out in the darkness. "Are you back here?"

"You have got to be kidding me," Ethan muttered. "Not now..."

Maddie reluctantly slid off of Ethan's lap and straightened her dress. "Shhhh, Ethan...."

"Come on Mads," he said. "We were in the middle of... we were...."

"Moving too fast," Maddie said in a hushed tone. With a heavy sigh, she called out to Jared that she and Ethan would be right there.

"We were not," Ethan argued. "You wanted that- and I would have made sure we didn't go all the way."

"I know," Maddie said. "I did, but I'm not so sure either of us would have stopped. In a way, it's good that Jared interrupted us."

"We would too have stopped," Ethan grumbled, unhappy about being bothered. There was something about this Jared bloke that Ethan didn't trust, but he just couldn't put his finger on it.

"I'm not so sure," Maddie said. She turned to face her boyfriend and reached out to smooth down his hair.

"I'm sure," Ethan retorted as he stood up.

Maddie got up to follow him, but suddenly Jared appeared before them holding two beers. "I thought you might be thirsty."

"Oh," Maddie smiled at Jared. "Thank you- I am a bit."

"I'm going to go back to the table," Ethan said grumpily disappearing into the crowd.

"I'm sorry- did I interrupt something?" Jared asked, knowing full well that he had.

"No," Maddie lied. "Of course you didn't."

"I didn't mean to if I did," Jared said. "You've just been gone awhile and... I really don't know those other people so..."

Maddie felt horrible now. "Oh Jared. I'm so sorry. I didn't think. I shouldn't have left you alone."

"It's all right," Jared replied. "I was actually hoping you'd dance with me, if your boyfriend doesn't mind."

"Sure," Maddie said thinking Ethan needed some time to cool off. "I'm sure he wouldn't mind."

"Great," Jared smiled.

Ethan stalked back to the table where only Frankie and Will remained. Frankie thought she heard the words "could to have stopped" and "bloody wanker" as Ethan sat down.

"Problem?" she asked.

"That bloke Jared," Ethan muttered.

"You sound like Alicia," Frankie said with a laugh. "He wasn't having any part of her so she decided to go try her luck at the bar."

"I don't know what his problem is. I mean, there's one reason people go to the back and that's to fucking be alone," Ethan pulled back hard on his beer. "And he fucking comes back there and interrupts us."

Frankie grinned. "And what were you two doing back there?"

Ethan gave her a look. "Wouldn't you like to know."

"Give the bloke a break," Frankie said. "He's kind of shy and quiet. And he doesn't really know any of us. He probably just wanted to talk to Maddie since she's the one he does know. Don't take it personal Ethan. Maddie said he's taking his break up with his ex really hard."

"I guess," Ethan said. "But I don't know why he couldn't have waited. The damn guy barely said two words to us while we were waiting for you three. And now he's chatty Cathy."

"You know you have nothing to worry about," Frankie told him. "Maddie loves you."

"I know she does," Ethan replied. "But how would you two like it if one of your exes came up while the two of you were fooling around?"

"I'd bloody hate it," Will said.

"That's how I feel right now," Ethan grumbled as he saw Maddie dancing with Jared.

"But Jared's not one of Maddie's exes, Ethan," Frankie said. "He's..."

"He's what?" Ethan asked, but Frankie looked as if she'd seen a ghost.

"Oh my God," she whispered, her face completely devoid of colour. "He's here."

"We know he's here," Will said thinking Frankie was referring to Jared.

"No," Frankie said weakly. "J-Jeff."

"What?" Will nearly knocked his chair over as he shot up. "Where? I'll kill that fucking asshole."

Frankie grabbed hold of Will's shoulder trying to hold him back. "No Will. Let's just go..."

"No," Will said as Ethan also rose. "He's got to know he can't terrorise you like that Frankie."

"Will!" Frankie called out but he shrugged her off and he and Ethan pushed their way through the crowd toward Jeff.

Frankie's knees were shaking as she sat back down in her seat, wishing that they hadn't left her alone.

Will tapped Jeff on the shoulder.

"Yeah?" Jeff asked impatiently as he turned around.

"Nice to meet you," Will said in a sarcastic tone. "I'm Frankie Longbottom's fiancé."

"Good luck with that," Jeff said icily. "She's nothing but a tease mate."

Will grabbed the front of Jeff's shirt. "I've got a bit of a bone to pick with you," he said, teeth clenched as he began to drag the other man away from the bar.

"Let go of me," Jeff said trying to pull away from Will, but Ethan grabbed his other arm.

"Remember me?" Ethan asked.

Jeff sneered at him. "Get off me, both of you, before I--"

"Before you what?" Will snarled.

"Don't much like being in the position you put Frankie in do you?" Ethan taunted.

"I don't know what she told you," Jeff started to say.

"She told us you were trying to make her leave so you could 'get what she promised," Will pushed him against the wall. "You were planning on forcing yourself on her." his face was twisted in hatred.

"I wasn't going to force myself on her," Jeff shot back. "Look mate, I don't know what she told you but she's lying. She's a lying-"

Will pointed his wand at Jeff's throat. "What were you about to say?" he asked tightly.

"W-what are you going to do?" Jeff asked his voice shaking.

"What do you think we should do?" Ethan asked, his eyes narrowed.

"You can't do anything to me," Jeff said looking at Ethan. "You're an Auror. I haven't done anything. You'll ...you'll be sacked for..."

"He doesn't have to," Will grinned maliciously. "I have proof of what you tried to do to my fiancée. Pictures of her bruises not to mention her account of how you threatened her before trying to lead her out of the club." he poked his wand further into Jeff's throat. "If you ever, EVER go near her again..."

"I w-won't," Jeff stammered. "Just let me go."

Will pushed him into the wall. "EVER!" he repeated, his eyes dark. "I'll kill you and no one will find you."

Jeff struggled to catch his breath as he nodded.

"Get the hell out of here!" Ethan yelled.

Jeff stumbled as he tore himself out of Will's grip and ran out of the club.

"What a fucking wanker," Ethan shook his head.

"I meant what I said," Will said the same dark expression on his face. "I'll kill him if he comes near her again."

"I think you just scared the piss out of him," Ethan grinned at Will. "Nice job mate."

"Aye," Will said. "Thanks for having my back."

"Anytime," Ethan said. "I care about Frankie too. I like giving her a hard time of course, but I'd never let anything happen to her."

"I know," Will said slapping him on the back. "Speaking of which, we should get back to her. She's probably worried sick."

"Right," Ethan agreed.

Frankie was sitting with Alicia and Maddie who were trying to calm their friend. When she looked up and saw Will and Ethan she jumped to her feet.

"He won't be bothering you again," Will said hugging her tightly.

"What did you do?" Frankie asked, hugging him back. "You didn't hit him did you? I don't want you in trouble because of me..."

"I didn't hit him," Will replied. "I just told him in no uncertain terms that he isn't to go near you ever again."

"Do you think he'll listen?" she whispered.

Will nodded and kissed her forehead. "You're safe Frankie. And as long as I have something to say about it, you always will be."

"Thank you," she said, kissing him. "I love you so much Will."

"I love you too," he said softly.

Ethan stole a glance at Maddie and was relieved to see Jared was nowhere in sight. With any luck, he'd gone home.

"Hi," Maddie said walking over to him.

"Hi," he replied.

"Frankie was really scared," Maddie said.

"I know, but we had to take care of that jerk." Ethan said.

Maddie nodded and reached out for his hand. "Are we okay?"

"Of course we are," Ethan said. "I just feel like whenever we... go beyond simple kissing, that you don't trust me enough and that's why I was pissed back there. I can stop when we need to stop Mads."

"I do trust you," Maddie argued. "I just don't trust myself sometimes."

"Maddie," Ethan pulled her away from the table. "You have nothing to worry about with me."

Maddie hugged him. "I know."

Ethan kissed the side of her head. "I love you," he said, his nose buried in her hair.

"I love you too," she whispered.

"Did you... did you like what we were doing back there?" he asked, his arms going around her waist.

Maddie looked shyly at him. "Yes. I liked it very much."

"Was it really going too fast?" he asked, feeling just as shy.

"Maybe a little," she replied. "But I wasn't lying when I told you I wanted to Ethan I did."

"Okay," Ethan tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. "You look so gorgeous I just have a hard time keeping my hands to myself." he grinned at her.

Maddie smiled. "Well, Frankie and Alicia did tell me if I wore this dress, you'd not be able to keep your hands off of me."

"They were quite right," Ethan replied, moving his hands through her mane. "I've never seen your hair like this either."

"Drew and Darla did it like this once," Maddie admitted. "But that was when we were kids. Do you like it?"

"I love it," Ethan kissed her. "Of course, I like you any way you look. But I've just never seen you like this and it just... I don't even know how to describe you."

"That's a good thing?" she asked feeling relieved that things seemed to be okay.

"Yes," he said. "So what happened to your friend?"

"He was really depressed about Cordelia," Maddie said leading Ethan back to the table. "I guess he wasn't as ready to go out as he thought. So he called it an early night."

"Oh," Ethan was secretly pleased at this.

"He's really hurting," Maddie said. "Apparently, she dropped by their flat today and picked up her belongings. He didn't want to say anything because he didn't want to ruin our night."

"Maybe that's why he was quiet before you guys got here," Ethan felt sort of bad for his earlier thoughts.

"He's really hurting," Maddie said still remembering the look on his face when he'd told her about it on the dance floor. "He was actually considering proposing."

"That's a shame," Ethan said. "I don't know what I'd do if I lost you. Probably be the same way."

"You're not going to lose me," she said leaning in for a kiss.

"I hope not ever," Ethan caressed her cheek.

"Never," Maddie said smiling at him.

Ethan kissed her again. "Let's get going soon," he said. "I want some real alone time with you tonight."

"With no interruptions," Maddie said with a grin.

"Right," Ethan said, his arms winding around her slender figure.

"God you two are sickening," Alicia commented. "Almost as bad as Franks and William here."

"That's Mr. Boring to you," Will said cheekily.

Alicia laughed. "I thought you hated that name."

"Coming from you it's a term of endearment," Will said.

"That it is," Alicia shrugged. "Can't deny it."

"Well this certainly was an interesting night," Frankie said leaning against Will.

"Aye," Will kissed the side of her head. "And I never told you how beautiful you look. Shame on me."

"You more than made up for it by defending my honour," Frankie said.

"All in a day's work," Will joked. "What say we get out there and dance then?"

"Yes," Frankie said happily. "Everybody, come on!"

"We can't leave Alicia," Maddie said but Alicia had already grabbed a random bloke and was leading him on the dance floor.

"Trust her to find someone," Will said, his hand on the small of Frankie's back as they wove through the crowd to find a spot.

"We should do this more often," Frankie said. "Of course we could leave out the Jeff part."

"Sure," Maddie agreed, laughing as Ethan dipped her back. "We should try and do this once a week, or at the very least every few weeks."

"It's a date," Frankie said feeling happier than she had in quite some time.

From a few feet away, Jared watched the group of friends, but his eyes quickly focused on Maddie. He'd played on Maddie's sympathies tonight. Girls ate it up when blokes acted all broken-hearted and lost. And when he'd told her he was going home, she'd given him a hug and a peck on the cheek. Before too long, he thought as he watched her, she'd be going home with him.

59. Chapter 59

Authors' note: We know this is a busy time of year, but we would appreciate if you guys would review and let us know what you think. This chapter starts the Brighton holiday and we hope you all enjoy it. Merry Christmas!

Also, we will have a surprise for all of you on Saturday night so make sure you check back then!

The past few weeks had been hectic for Toshio and Chiaki. The two new additions to their little family had kept them running back and forth on very little sleep. Chiaki was glad that he'd taken time off from dancing to help her.

"Did you get the bottles?" she asked now, rushing into the kitchen with Mitsuko cradled in her arms. Masanobu was sitting in his little pram and Toshio was standing at the stove.

"Warming them up now," Toshio called out over his shoulder. "You might want to feel Mas' forehead. I think he might be running a bit of a fever."

"Oh no," Chiaki placed Mitsuko in her little chair and pressed her hand to Masanobu's forehead. "He does feel a bit warm," she frowned.

"It's probably nothing Chi," Toshio reassured her. "Remember what the healer said."

"Remind me?" Chiaki asked, pulling her long glossy black hair into a makeshift bun. "I was rather out of it if you recall..."

"Right," Toshio said sheepishly. "Well she said that it was normal for newborns. We should just keep an eye on him, I think. Well, you know, more than usual."

"Okay," Chiaki rubbed her eyes as Masanobu let out a little cry. "Oh come here angel..." she picked her son up and patted his back gently. "Mummy's here baby..."

"Maybe this will help," Toshio said handing his wife a bottle.

"I hope so," Chiaki gently guided the bottle to Masanobu's tiny lips as Toshio took over feeding Mitsuko.

"My mum mentioned her and dad stopping by," Toshio said conversationally to his wife while he fed their daughter. He didn't have to turn around to know that Chiaki was rolling her eyes.

"Again?" she asked. "Tosh, we can handle our babies."

"Mum knows that," Toshio said in her defence. "She just wants to help."

"Yes and I appreciate that, but you don't see my parents here every bloody day," Chiaki replied.

"Mum was a little out of line when she mentioned how dusty everything looked," Toshio said. "But she really does mean well Chi."

"It's not my fault I haven't had time to clean," Chiaki spun around. "If she had to raise twins- she'd realise that 24 hours a day just aren't enough anymore! I'm bloody doing what I can here Tosh!"

Toshio looked over at his wife. "Shhhh, Chi. I wasn't taking her side. I'm on yours, remember?"

Chiaki sighed. "I know. I just haven't got the time I had while I was pregnant. I was thinking we could hire a part time cleaning service or something like that."

"You're doing great Chi," Toshio said. "This is all new to both of us. And maybe it would be a good idea to have someone come in a couple of days a week to help out with the cleaning and the laundry."

Chiaki smiled softly. "This is definitely hard," she said. "But when I look at these two..."

"It's all worth it," Toshio said grinning down at his daughter.

"It really is," Chiaki said. "I've never had such a sense of self worth- I feel like this is what I was meant to do here... not just be a dancer but now I'm a mum... am I making sense?"

"Yes," Toshio said grinning over at her. "It makes perfect sense Chi. I feel the same way about being a dad."

Chiaki stood next to him and gave her husband a kiss. "I do love you Tosh."

"I love you too," he said softly. "And I think we're going to do just fine Chi. I really do."

"Jules said she'd help more when she was done with school," Chiaki said. "And Frankie promised to come by too, and Allie will bring Caroline and Emma over."

"We really do have a great support system," Toshio said.

"Even your parents," Chiaki teased.

"They do mean well," Toshio said with a laugh. "And if you will remember she also told me that I looked like I hadn't showered in weeks and that I was in desperate need of a haircut."

"The haircut part I can definitely agree with," Chiaki tugged his hair with her free hand. "And the shower part I can only semi agree with. It's been too long since you had a shower with your wife."

"Maybe once these two go down for their kip, we'll see what we can do about that," Toshio said his voice tinged with hope.

"I would definitely love it," Chiaki replied. "I did tell you I got the okay from my healer right?"

"Yes," he said winking at her. "You did."

"Good," Chiaki said, setting Masanobu back into his little carrier. "I told you that for a reason."

"It's been an awfully long time," Toshio said.

"You can say that again," Chiaki laughed quietly as they both headed for the nursery.

"I am dying for a kip myself though," Toshio said. "I didn't think these two would ever go to sleep last night."

"Tell me about it," Chiaki yawned. "Maybe... shower time can wait until we actually have time to spend on each other? I'd really like to try and sleep while these two are out."

"I like that idea," Toshio agreed. "We should get the sleep while we can."

"I'm sorry," Chiaki said. "I know you really want to--"

"I do," he said. "But we're both knackered right now. I'd like to be at my best when we finally..."

"Right," Chiaki agreed, giving him a kiss. "But for now... cuddling sounds nice."

Toshio smiled and he gingerly placed Mitsuko in her crib. "Sleep well baby."

Chiaki leaned against him as they left the nursery. "Life is certainly different now..."

"Very," Toshio said with a yawn.

"But it's getting better all the time," she finished.

*** *** ***

Alexa laughed as her parents dusted themselves off. "It's not that bad, you guys. You did fine!"

Patrick coughed. "This way of travelling- I like the auto better."

"Saves you on petrol though," Alexa reminded him.

"Yes, yes," Patrick chuckled. "Now you know you can call us anytime you need to," he told his daughter. "And if you want to come home, you can. The cottage on the beach is a Muggle one, right? Your mum and I could come and get you..."

"I'll be fine Dad," Alexa said with a laugh. "You weren't this bad when I had my first sleepover."

"We've just never let you go for this long sweetheart." her mother said with a smile. "I'm glad we know the Potters- Saffron is such a delightful girl."

Alexa smiled. "Yes she is."

"And she hasn't seen you without your braces," Karen said grinning at her daughter. "Sweetheart, you look so different without them."

"Thanks I think," Alexa grinned. "It's so nice not to feel the metal anymore."

"You know I meant it as a compliment," Karen said giving her a hug.

"Lex!" Saffron exclaimed running into the sitting room with her parents in tow. "I thought I heard you in here!"

"Hey Saffy!" Alexa gave her best friend a hug. "I missed you since we got out of school!"

"It's only been a couple of weeks," Harry teased his daughter.

"We really appreciate you inviting Alexa," Karen said to Hermione. "She's been looking forward to this for weeks."

"We're happy to have her," Hermione smiled at Alexa. "You have such a lovely daughter. We enjoy having her around."

"We feel the same about Saffron," Karen said.

"Lex!" Saffron said noticing for the first time that there was something different about her friend. "You---you----you--- got them off!"

Alexa grinned widely. "Five days ago!"

"You look amazing!" Saffron said. "You're just like me. When I got mine off, I couldn't stop smiling."

"It's rather hard to not smile," Alexa giggled. "I haven't told R.J... I can't wait for him to see me." she whispered.

"He's lucky he's still alive after the way he's been teasing me about Peter," Saffron said. "It's only because of your lurve for him that he's still alive."

"Stop it," Alexa blushed. "You promised you wouldn't say anything about that!"

"And I haven't," Saffron whispered. "Nor have I mentioned the fact that you slept in his bed the last night we were at school either..."

Alexa turned even more red. "Saffy!"

"They can't hear us," Saffron said motioning over to where both sets of parents were chatting.

"I hope not," Alexa said. "He was so sweet Saffy. We just laid in each other's arms... I don't think I slept for more than an hour..."

"You've fallen for him completely," Saffron teased. "I've never seen you like this. Or him for that matter."

"Really?" Alexa asked. "You think he feels the same way?"

Saffron smiled. "I think so. I've known him since we were kids, Lex."

Alexa felt her stomach flutter excitedly. "I can't wait to get to Brighton."

"Me too," Saffron said linking arms with her best friend and they rejoined their parents.

"Have a great time sweetheart," Karen told Alexa. "And you can call us anytime."

"Okay Mum," Alexa hugged her parents. "I'll see you guys in a few weeks."

"We'll take good care of her," Hermione promised.

"You ring us a few times and let us know how you are okay?" Patrick asked.

"I will," Alexa said. "Thanks again for letting me go, Daddy."

"Have fun sweetheart," Patrick kissed her head. "You tell R.J. and his parents hello for us."

Alexa told them she would and a few moments later, she and Saffron were walking out the front steps to the Potter house.

"We're all packed and ready," Saffron told her best friend. "Mum's just got some last minute things to do before we can go."

"Okay," Alexa said. "I take it we meet R.J.'s family at the house there?"

Saffron nodded. "They've been there for a couple of days already."

"Oh," Alexa said. "I can't wait to see him Saffy."

"I know," Saffron said teasingly. "So you can go for romantic walks on the beach, holding hands at dinner...."

Alexa giggled. "I can't wait!"

Meanwhile at the Brighton house, R.J. was enduring yet another round of teasing from his two brothers. He sat at the kitchen table eating his sandwich and trying to ignore them, but finding it increasingly difficult.

"So R.J. when she gets here, are you going to snog her lights out and then hole up in the bedroom?" Jon asked in his most innocent voice.

Ron stifled a laugh as he came into the kitchen. "Didn't you two just promise Allie and Lizzy that you'd leave him alone?"

"Yes," Josh said. "But they're not here are they Dad?"

"Boys," Ron said. "Be nice- Jon you didn't like it when we used to tease you about Allie. And Josh you hated it when Jon teased you about Julie."

"What I don't get is the fact that the two of you fight all the time," R.J. said finally speaking. "And now you gang up on me. What gives?"

"You have to be initiated," Jon said after a moment.

R.J. glared at him. "No, I don't."

"Yes you do Ronnie Jr," Josh replied. "You're not a true Weasley until you're tortured."

"Didn't you do enough of that during Easter hols?" R.J. asked.

"How about we talk about something else?" Ron asked helping his youngest son out. "Did you tell your brothers about that scout coming to see you play?"

"Yeah," R.J. glared at them. "Like they care about anything other than bothering me about Alexa."

"We are proud of you," Jon told his brother. "But you know Dad would rather have you play for the Cannons any day."

"I know," R.J. said. "I'd take whatever team wants me."

"He keeps playing the way he has, the Cannons will be begging to sign him," Ron said proudly.

"If Puddlemere doesn't get me first," R.J. replied, finishing his sandwich.

"Frankie did say they had their eye on you," Jon said.

R.J. grinned. "I like hearing that. Finally you say something good."

Jon laughed. "I'm trying. Well, I'm going to take Emma and Caroline down to the beach. Josh, you coming?"

"Sure," Josh said. "We'll leave R.J. to wait for his true love." he grinned wickedly.

"Shut up Poetry Boy," R.J. shot back, remembering what Lizzy had told him on Easter.

The smile on Josh's face faded away and he muttered something unintelligible as he followed Jon out of the room.

"Good one son," Ron said making himself another sandwich.

"Lizzy told me about his attempts," R.J. snorted.

"They weren't that bad," Ron said with a smirk.

"Whatever," R.J. said. "I'm going upstairs until Alexa and Saffy get here."

"Go easy on the aftershave," Ron couldn't resist teasing. "We don't want the poor girl to suffocate."

"Shut it," R.J. grinned. "Or I'll accept Puddlemere's offer no matter how good the Cannons is..."

"I'll let you know when they get here," Ron said with a laugh.

"Thanks," R.J. said, heading upstairs.

The Potters and Alexa arrived nearly an hour later. Ron was fast asleep on the sofa and Harry couldn't resist having a little fun with his best mate.

"Ronniekins... we're out of food!" he said into his friend's ear.

"WHAT?" Ron asked shooting straight up. "We have to go to the ...."

Harry waved and pulled his most innocent face.

"Arse!" Ron glared at his best friend. "I hate you."

Harry chuckled. "I couldn't resist. You looked so peaceful..."

"Hi Uncle Ron!" Saffron said. "Where's everyone?"

"Jon, Allie, and the girls are on the beach." Ron said. "And R.J.'s upstairs."

"Hi Mr. Weasley," Alexa said shyly. "It's nice to see you again."

"Hello Alexa," Ron gave her a hug. "Lovely to see you as well. R.J.'s been looking forward to seeing you all day."

Alexa blushed.

Saffron took her friend's hand. "Would it be okay if we went upstairs to get him?"

"Sure," Ron said. "I think he'd like that."

Saffron laughed. "This will be fun. I can't wait to see his face when he sees you without your braces."

Alexa felt nervous as she followed Saffron upstairs. It had been a couple of weeks since she'd seen him last. And he hadn't owled though he had warned her beforehand that he wasn't much of a letter writer.

"Ronnie Jr!" Saffron sang out.

"Is that you Saf?" R.J. asked sleepily. He'd just managed to drift off to sleep when he heard her voice.

"Miss me?" she asked loftily. "I'm really sorry to tell you this but Alexa cancelled. Seems she found something better to do with her time than you--"

"What?" R.J. asked practically jumping off the bed and swinging the door open. "Saffy, you've got to be...."

"Hi," Alexa said grinning at him.

"Hey!" R.J. grinned at her and then glared at Saffron. "You suck."

"Thanks," Saffron said proudly. "Well? Quit looking at me you prat. Don't you notice anything different about your girlfriend?"

"She always looks gorgeous to me," R.J. said.

Saffron groaned. "Yes, yes, but don't you notice anything different about her. You know..."

"Hey!" R.J.'s eyes widened. "Lex you got your braces off!"

"Look who finally bought a clue," Saffron said sarcastically.

"Five days ago," Alexa said grinning at him. "I wanted it to be a surprise."

"You look amazing," R.J. said, his eyes still wide. "Better than Saf even."

Saffron glared at him. "You...you...."

But R.J. grabbed Alexa and pulled her into his room shutting the door on Saffron.

"R.J.," Alexa said giggling. "That wasn't a very nice thing..." but her words were cut off by his kiss.

"Like I care," he said. "I missed you so much Lexie."

"I missed you too," she said softly.

"YOU BOTH SUCK!" they heard Saffron call out before stalking back down the stairs.

R.J. laughed. "She's a bit sore aye?"

"A little," Alexa admitted looping her arms around his neck. "So this is your room, eh?"

"While I'm here," R.J. said. "I hope we can maybe... have a reprise of that last night at school... if you want to that is."

"I don't know," Alexa said. "What about your parents?"

"We'll sneak you in," R.J. said softly. "And sneak you out in the mornings."

"You've thought about this, have you?" she asked.

"A little," he said. "Do you mind?"

She shook her head. "No, not at all. I like sleeping with you. Not sleeping with you, in that way, you know....I just meant you know sleeping in the same bed."

R.J. laughed. "I know." he kissed her. "I'm so glad you came Lexie. These next few weeks are going to be fantastic."

"I think so too," she said happily.

"Come on," he said, his lips still on hers as his fingers wove through hers. "We'll sneak off later."

"Okay," she said but neither of them moved. "R.J.? We should probably go downstairs now."

"Right," he said, reluctantly opening the door. "We'll have to face Saffy sooner or later."

"Yes," Alexa said. "And don't tease her so much about Peter. You know how she feels about that."

"What'll you give me if I don't tease her?" R.J. asked wickedly.

"That's for me to know and you to find out," she said with a wink.

"Tease," R.J. muttered. "All right, I'll sneak you off later and show you how much I missed you."

"Deal," Alexa said.

"There they are," Harry grinned when they came downstairs. "Hello R.J.."

"Don't talk to him Dad," Saffron said grumpily. "He's evil and mean."

"Hey Uncle Harry," R.J. said ignoring her. "Where's Ethan?"

"He's coming," Harry said. "He and Justin had a lead they had to follow up on but he'll be around tonight. Maddie's not coming until tomorrow morning."

"Maddie, Maddie?" R.J. asked. "Who is this girl you speak of? I haven't seen or heard from my sister in ages."

"Probably because you're such a dork," Saffron said, glaring at him.

"Do you kiss Peter with that mouth?" R.J. asked before he could stop himself.

"Ronald Bilius Weasley Jr," Saffron erupted. "I am going to HEX YOU INTO OBLIVION AND SOD THE FACT THAT I CAN'T DO MAGIC OUT OF SCHOOL IF YOU TALK ABOUT PETER LIKE THAT AGAIN!"

R.J. gulped.

"Saffy," Harry warned. "Hang on a second who is this Peter?"

"He's a study partner that R.J. thinks fancies me," Saffron's eyes were like daggers. "WE ARE JUST FRIENDS."

Harry held up his hands. "Okay, Saffron. There's no need to shout."

"Git," Saffron snarled at R.J. before stalking out of the room.

"She has my temper," Harry said sheepishly.

"She's brilliant," R.J. said wondering if it might be a good idea to sleep with his door locked tonight. "But scary."

Hermione was unpacking her things when Saffron came into the bedroom.

"Mum?" Saffron asked. "Is there anyway around that not doing magic outside school thing? I know I've never asked to use your name or position to get me out of anything, but I really need to do something to R.J. or I'll go mad."

"Why?" Hermione looked amused. "What did he say to you this time?"

"He's just being his usual wanker self," Saffron said grumpily. "And he keeps teasing me about Peter."

"Your study partner?" Hermione asked, placing Harry's jeans in the drawer. "Why would he bother you about him?"

"Because he's got it in his head that Peter fancies me," Saffron replied. "And he doesn't. We're just really good friends. He's good for a laugh. And on Hogsmeade weekends, he kept me company while Lex was with R.J.."

"That's lovely," Hermione replied. “I think it’s nice you have a friend like that.”

"I knew you'd understand Mum," Saffron said feeling a bit calmer.

"Just ignore him sweetie," Hermione said. "He'll get tired of it soon enough."

"I hope so," Saffron said. "When are Nick and Jules getting here? I'm dying to find out if she's taking the Hogwarts job."

"Anytime now," Hermione smiled at her daughter.

"I can't wait to see her," Saffron said helping her mother unpack. "I've got loads to tell her."

"I bet you do," Hermione said. "But I would very much appreciate it if you made sure you and Alexa are settled into your room before you head out to the beach."

"Okay Mum," Saffron said. "Are you and Daddy coming down too?"

"Soon as I'm finished."

"I can't wait to try on my new swimming costume," Saffron said not noticing Harry coming into the room.

"The one we got you at Harrods?" Hermione asked. "You looked so cute Saffy."

"You got a new suit?" Harry asked.

"Yeah a bikini," Saffron said. "It's really um..." she looked at her mother for help.

"Nice," Hermione said. "It's very nice. And she looks lovely in it."

"A bikini?" Harry asked folding his arms. "Saffy, you're too young to be wearing a bikini."

"Dad I'm fifteen," Saffron said. "I'm not a baby anymore."

"Before you go out on the beach, I want to see it," Harry said firmly.

"Dad!" Saffron protested.

"I mean it," Harry said looking at his youngest child. "You come and see me before you go out on the beach."

"You have GOT to be kidding me," Saffron said furiously. "Everyone's turning into a wanker today!"

Harry sighed. "Saffron Grace Potter if you keep us with this attitude, you will not go on the beach at all today."

Saffron rolled her eyes and stomped out of the room.

"Don't you think you might be overreacting a bit?" Hermione asked her husband.

"My daughter wearing a bikini? I think not." Harry replied, tossing some jeans out of the drawer in search of his own swim costume.

"Harry," Hermione said. "I just put those in there...."

"Well you shouldn't have hidden my trunks," Harry said, locating them and stuffing everything else back in.

Hermione sighed as she pulled the drawer back open and refolded all his jeans. "Harry, I helped her pick out that suit. Do you really think I'd have bought it for her if it was too revealing?"

"I don't know," Harry said with a shrug. "Tell me this, how bad is it compared to that red one you wore for me that one time?"

Hermione scoffed. "Harry a piece of dental floss is tame compared to that." she wrapped her arms around her husband's waist. "You trust me right?"

"Of course," he replied. "But she's our baby Hermione."

"And she's growing up," Hermione said softly. "I hate it too but we can't stop it."

"I miss the little girl who used to wear that one-piece suit with the ducks on it," Harry said wistfully. "And used to make sand castles."

Hermione laughed. "I think she'd find a way to hex you if you brought up the old ducky swim costume."

"And who is this Peter?" Harry asked. "R.J. was teasing her about this bloke when we were downstairs."

"Her study partner," Hermione replied, stowing the empty suitcase under their bed. "Saffy says they're only friends though."

"Do we know anything about this kid?" Harry asked folding his arms. "What house is he in? What are his intentions toward our little girl? Does he have...why are you looking at me like that?"

"Harry James," Hermione said with a warning glance. "If Saffy says they're just friends then that's what they are. Don't start going overboard."

"Yes, but--" Harry started to protest, but Saffron came back into the room. She was wrapped in a towel.

"Okay," she said sarcastically undoing the towel to show her father the swimming costume. "See? It's perfectly fine...."

"You look perfectly lovely," Hermione said to her daughter. "You go on down with everyone else and we'll be there in a few minutes."

"Now wait just a second," Harry said. "That looks a little skimpy, Hermione."

"Dad!" Saffron said rolling her eyes. "It is not!"

"Harry," Hermione put her hand on his arm. "Remember..."

"Fine," he said forcing a smile. "Go on down to the beach, Saffy."

"Thank you," Saffron said, heading back to get her cover up and the book she was reading.

Harry didn't tell Hermione this, but he planned on keeping an eye on his daughter and if any pimply faced boy looked at her the wrong way, well Harry couldn't be held responsible for what he'd do.

Hermione crossed her arms. "You'd better not be thinking what I think you are," she warned.

Harry pulled an innocent face. "Me? I'm not thinking of anything, Hermione but what a lovely day it's turned out to be."

She simply glared at him in reply. "This is not how I want to start our holiday." she found her own swim costume. "Now please Harry... just relax and accept the fact that our youngest daughter is fifteen, a very beautiful girl but also very smart. She's not going to let anything happen she doesn't want to happen."

"I know that," Harry said wishing that for once his wife didn't know him as well as she did.

"Then relax," Hermione smiled up at him.

Harry couldn't help smiling back at her. "Okay."

"Thank you," Hermione kissed him. "Now how about you help the Minister into her own bikini?"

"Only if later I can help her out of it," Harry said.

"Is that a promise?" she asked huskily.

"That's a guarantee," he answered.

*** *** ***

It was quite late that evening when Ethan finally arrived at the beach house. He was starving and he hoped that someone had saved something from dinner that he could eat. Dropping his bag in the hall, he headed into the kitchen.

"Nice of you to finally join us," Harry said grinning at his son.

"Hey Dad," Ethan said. "Save any of that chicken for me?" he looked at the piece his father had been gnawing at.

"There's some in the icebox," Harry said. "I managed to keep your godfather away from it."

"Thanks," Ethan said, digging in and coming up with a plateful. "You must not have told him about it."

"Your mother threatened him with bodily harm if he touched it," Harry said with a laugh. "You look knackered. Everything okay?"

Ethan shrugged. "I guess..."

"Maddie's still coming later isn't she?" Harry asked as Ethan sat down.

"Should be," Ethan said. "I was hoping she'd be here already."

"Didn't you see her before you left?" Harry asked confused. "You and Maddie aren't have trouble are you?"

"Not trouble..." Ethan dug into his meal. "It's just... I didn't think being with her without actually... BEING with her would be this hard."

"I see," Harry said. "Have you tried talking with her about this?"

"Not really," Ethan said. "I just sometimes get the feeling that she doesn't trust me completely even though she says she does. Like when we're snogging and I go to touch her, she's always the one to put a stop to it. I would never push her Dad. I know how far I can go before there's no turning back and we're never anywhere near that stage."

"Have you fought about this?" Harry asked.

"Not exactly," Ethan said. "We've... exchanged words but we haven't had an all out fight."

Harry thought about what his son must be going through. "I went through something similar once."

"You did?" Ethan asked curiously.

"Yeah," Harry said. "Right before your mum and I were married. She thought it would be a great idea if we weren't together until our wedding night."

Ethan snorted. "Bet you didn't take that well."

"I thought she'd gone mad," Harry said with a laugh. "She originally wanted to wait a month, but I talked her into a little compromise. Well, you can imagine how difficult it was to sleep in the same bed with the woman you love and not be able to..."

"Yeah," Ethan replied, stabbing his fork into the chicken. "It's just really frustrating you know? When I told her I didn't mind waiting I didn't know it would be THIS hard."

"Kind of makes you want to run out and get married right away, eh?" Harry joked trying to make his son laugh.

The corner of his mouth quirked up. "I did think about that," he confessed.

"This is Maddie's first relationship Ethan," Harry reminded him. "She never dated anyone before you. Just try to think of this from her perspective."

"I know," Ethan replied. "That's why I haven't really pushed this with her."

"I think you should try talking to her," Harry told his son. "It's not good to keep this bottled up, so to speak."

"Well every time I approach the subject, she just says that we're going too fast, but while we're... doing things... she tells me she wants it." Ethan rubbed his eyes. "I'm bloody confused."

"Sounds as if she is too," Harry commented.

"Well there's all that and then the fact that we've barely even seen each other over the past week," Ethan complained.

"Well you'll have these next two weeks together," Harry said. "You're both in very demanding careers son. I know what you're going through. Your mum and I went through that. Our schedules sometimes didn't mesh and we saw each other for a couple of minutes in the morning and then in the evenings we were too tired to do anything but sleep."

"I guess everyone has rough patches eh?" Ethan asked. "Mads and I will have our one year anniversary while we're here too."

"You should take her out," Harry said. "I'm sure that she'd love that."

"I will," Ethan nodded. "I want to make it special for her."

"Well," Harry said leaning back in his chair. "If you want to have a good laugh, your baby sister hates me right now."

"Is that so?" Ethan asked. "What did you do, joke about her having a boyfriend?"

Harry shook his head. "I might have embarrassed her a little today down on the beach, but your mother stopped me before it got too out of hand."

"What did you say?" Ethan asked curiously.

"It's not really what I said per se," Harry said in a hushed tone in case Hermione decided to come downstairs. "She was wearing her new swimming costume and I thought it wasn't appropriate. But I agreed to let her go down on the beach. Well, your mother and I go down there a few minutes later and your sister is chatting it up with two blokes. The next thing you know, she's playing volleyball with these two losers."

"Dad," Ethan laughed. "Come on, Saffy's only fifteen- she's just being a girl."

"I know," Harry said. "And I had just pulled out my wand to do something to them when Saffron caught me. And then your mother lectured me for nearly a half hour about how we can't be doing things like that on a Muggle beach and how I should trust our daughter to do the right thing and blah, blah, blah."

Ethan was laughing by then. "That's bloody hilarious."

"Yes well your sister isn't speaking to me now," Harry said.

"Come on, she'll get over it," Ethan said. "She always does."

"I hope so," Harry said. "I'm going to try and talk to her tomorrow morning during breakfast. Apologise for being a typical father."

"Wait till she's a mum someday," Ethan took his plate to the sink. "Her kids are going to give her hell."

"Hopefully she'll have three just like her," Harry joked.

"Talk about revenge," Ethan grinned. "You and Mum can spoil the shite out of them and send them back to her all bratty and the like."

"Now that's a good idea," Harry said. "It's getting late. I'm going to turn in."

"Okay," Ethan said. "I'm going to wait up a bit and see if Mads gets here soon."

Harry nodded and went upstairs. If he'd been a little quicker, he might have caught Alexa sneaking into R.J.'s room.

"I was beginning to think you weren't coming," R.J. said looking up from the Quidditch magazine he was reading.

"I wanted to make sure everyone was asleep," she whispered.

He could tell she was nervous. "Its okay, Lex," he said leading her over to his bed. "No one's going to know you were ever here."

"I just... I'm a guest here and I don't want..." Alexa fumbled for the right words.

"My entire family loves you," he said reassuringly. "In fact, I think they like you better than me. And if by some wild chance someone finds out you were in here with me, I'll just tell them we were chatting."

"Like anyone will believe that," Alexa smiled at him.

R.J. grinned innocently at her. "We are chatting, aren't we? We're talking about how much we missed each other..."

She giggled quietly. "So it's not a total lie..."

"Right," he said leaning in and kissing her. "And we're talking about how much I like kissing you. And how much I..."

"Love kissing you," Alexa said boldly pressing her lips to his.

R.J. pulled her closer and deepened the kiss.

"R.J...." she whispered as he pulled her on top of him, running his hands through her hair.

"You're beautiful," he said softly before kissing her again.

"Thanks," she whispered.

"I need to tell you something," he said. "I've been thinking about this for quite some time...."

"What?" she asked.

He suddenly felt shy as she looked at him. "Lexie, I---"

"What?" Alexa caressed his face softly.

"Love you," he whispered. "I love you."

Alexa stared at him for a moment, completely breathless. "You do?" she choked out.

He nodded. "I have for quite some time. I've...I've never said that to anyone before."

"When did you know?" she asked, tears gathering in her eyes.

"That night in your tree house," he answered.

Her eyes widened. "You--"

"I love you," he repeated. "I think about you all the time Lex. But if you don't feel the same..."

"No," she sat up. "I do R.J.... that same night... remember what I almost said? I almost told you the same thing... I just got so scared that it was too soon."

R.J. put a hand on her shoulder. "Maybe we weren't ready to say it then, but we knew what we were feeling."

"Yeah," Alexa smiled him. "I love you too R.J.."

R.J. kissed her. "Say it again."

"I..." Alexa kissed him. "love... you..."

"You are the most important thing in my life right now," he said brushing a strand of hair behind her ear. "I don't want to screw up what we have."

"You won't," Alexa promised.

"I want to make you happy," he said resting his forehead on hers. "As happy as you've made me."

She blushed at his words. "I haven't done that much," she murmured.

"Are you kidding?" he asked. "Before you came along, I didn't think there was life outside of Quidditch."

Alexa laughed. "That's like Saffy- only she's into Quidditch and studying."

"And hexing me," R.J. quipped.

"Right," Alexa giggled. "Don't worry- she told me after dinner she's really not that mad at you, as long as you stop bothering her about Peter. Otherwise, and I quote, your arse is toast once we get back to school."

"I'll stop teasing her about him," R.J. promised.

"Good," Alexa ran her hand through his hair. "I'm so happy R.J.."

"About me agreeing to stop teasing her?" R.J. asked cheekily. "Or because you love me?"

"Mainly because we're in love," Alexa laughed. "But it'll be nice to not have you two fighting the rest of the trip."

"She's more angry with her dad than me at the moment," R.J. said. "But I'm sure I'll do something else to piss her off during the holiday. I always do."

"I suppose that's part of the fun of being friends with Saffron Potter," Alexa giggled.

"I don't know if I'd call it fun," R.J. said.

"She did sort of help us get together," Alexa said. "If it wasn't for her pushing me, I'd have never had the guts to meet you on that Quidditch field."

"You weren't going to show?" R.J. asked. "Lex, you never told me that."

"I might have been late," she said, her face flushing. "I was just so nervous. I'd fancied you for so long and all of a sudden, you were showing this interest in me and I didn't know what to do about it."

"And you know what to do about it now?" he asked softly.

"I'd meet you anywhere," Alexa grinned at him before pressing her lips to his.

She and R.J. fell back onto the bed and spent the next half hour or so snogging and trying to keep quiet as neither of them were able to do a silencing charm on the room.

Meanwhile, Ethan was sitting on the sofa waiting to see if his girlfriend would arrive. It was already gone half past twelve and he was starting to worry that she wouldn't arrive at all until later that morning when he heard a telltale pop outside.

Maddie opened the door and set her bags down. It had been a very long day and she looked forward to getting some much needed sleep.

"Hi," Ethan said quietly from the doorway to the sitting room.

Maddie smiled. "You waited up for me?"

"Yeah," he smiled back at her. "Saved you some chicken from dinner if you're hungry."

"Us Weasleys are always hungry," she said coming forward and giving him a kiss. "Hello stranger."

"Hello stranger yourself," he said, reaching for her hand and squeezing it. "I've missed you this week."

"I know," Maddie said apologetically. "Things have been crazy, but we do have these two weeks."

"I'm glad we both got away," Ethan said, leading her into the kitchen and handing her the plate he'd kept warm for her.

"This looks so good," Maddie said eagerly digging into her food. "I haven't eaten anything since lunch."

"Did you have any visions?" Ethan asked, handing her a glass of milk before she even could ask for it. "Or were you helping Jared with his?"

"Jared and I actually had a shared vision," Maddie told him. "It was amazing Ethan."

"You had a shared vision?" Ethan asked. "What are those?" he felt a slight twinge of jealousy that this bloke had shared anything with his girlfriend but he shoved those feelings away.

"We saw the same thing," Maddie explained. "They're very rare. Smythe was quite pleased."

"Oh," Ethan said. "I guess you can't tell me what it was can you?"

Maddie shook her head. "I'm sorry, Ethan. I can't."

He nodded in reply and traced his finger along one of the wooden ridges in the table.

"It's just like your case," Maddie said knowing that he was upset. "You can't talk about it with me either."

"I can talk about some things," Ethan said. "I've told you a lot more than I told anyone else. There's a few things you know that even Bree doesn't and she's helping us."

"You know I'd tell you about this if I could," Maddie said. "Ethan, you're acting like I'm intentionally withholding information."

"I know you're not," Ethan replied.

"Then what's wrong?" she asked. "You've been short and snappish every time I've seen you lately."

"You mean the two minutes we've spent together all week long?" he asked, his eyebrow arched.

Maddie suddenly didn't feel very hungry and she pushed her plate away. "You know that being a seer means I have strange hours, Ethan. And I'm trying to help Jared...."

"I know," Ethan stood up as she did. "I'm sorry Mads... just lately I feel like you and I are going down two separate paths and growing apart. I hate that feeling."

"We're not growing apart," she reassured him. "That could never happen."

"No?" he asked.

"No," Maddie said. "Because we won't let it. We'll have to make time for each other. And we can start with this holiday. Two weeks of just you and me."

"Right," Ethan said, feeling better as she wrapped her arms around him. "And we have our first anniversary to celebrate."

"We do," Maddie said happily.

"A year already," Ethan buried his nose in her hair. "And six months since you moved in."

"And we get to share a room this time," Maddie said.

"So if we want to go sneak out and spin in the rain we don't have to risk waking everyone up," Ethan grinned at her.

"Exactly," Maddie said laughing.

He stroked her cheek for a moment. "I do love you," he said quietly.

"I love you too," she said. "I've been looking forward to falling asleep in your arms."

"Been awhile since we really did that," Ethan said. "Let's sleep in tomorrow as late as we can and just spend the day doing whatever we want. We can go on the boat, stay on the beach... whatever we want..."

"I'd love that," Maddie said giving him a kiss.

"Are you finished?" he gestured towards her plate. "Cause I'd really like to take you to bed."

Maddie grinned. "I'm finished."

Ethan waved his hand and her plate and empty glass disappeared. "I'll help you with your things," he said, grabbing her bags with one hand and wrapping her fingers in his other.

They walked up the stairs and as they passed R.J.'s door, Maddie heard someone giggling. "I take it Alexa arrived," she whispered to Ethan.

"Seems so," Ethan grinned. "I bet R.J. will be awful happy in the morning."

"Jon and Josh haven't been teasing him too badly, have they?" Maddie asked.

"I'd imagine they have," Ethan replied. "I didn't get here until about half past ten so everyone was in bed already."

"I can't wait to see them tomorrow," Maddie said as Ethan led her into their room. "And my parents and my nieces."

"My dad told me R.J. was claiming he forgot he even had a sister named Maddie when they first got here," Ethan shook his head. "Smartarse."

"He takes after my dad," Maddie said. "Too much sometimes."

"Aye," Ethan said as she quickly unpacked her bags. He hung up some of her clothes in their small closet. "I'm really glad we have these two weeks Mads. I really think we need them."

Maddie turned and looked at him. There was something in the tone of his voice that gave her pause. "Is something else bothering you?"

Ethan didn't want to get into a whole new discussion now. "If you're tired we can talk more later," he said.

"I am really knackered," she said pulling out her pyjamas. "I'm just going to go and brush my teeth and get changed."

"Right," he said quietly.

"I'll be back in a few," Maddie said giving him a smile before walking out of the room.

Ethan stripped to his boxers and pulled on an old t-shirt before she came back in. He wasn't sure how to approach talking to her about his discussion with his father.

"Things are quiet in R.J.'s room now," Maddie said with a slight laugh. "I think they finally turned in. It's so strange to think of my baby brother having a girl in his room."

"Tell me about it," Ethan said as she slid in next to him. "Lex is a sweet girl though. She'll be good for him. And maybe he'll help her out of her shell."

"Mum and Dad really like her too," Maddie said turning off the bedside lamp. She turned to give Ethan a goodnight kiss.

He kept his mouth pressed to hers for a few extra moments.

"Good night," Maddie whispered pulling away.

"Night," he said softly.

Maddie snuggled up next to her boyfriend and it didn't take her long to fall asleep.

Ethan lay awake a little while longer, stroking his girlfriend's hair. He wanted everything to be the way it had been a year ago- not as much to worry about and barely a day had gone by when he and Maddie hadn't seen each other. Now despite what she said it felt to him like they were growing apart and there didn't seem to be anything he could do to stop it.

60. Chapter 60

A/N: We hope you’re all having a GREAT holiday no matter what you’re celebrating at this time of the year, whether it be Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, or a different holiday. Both of us appreciate the fact that you all take the time to read and review this fic- there’s still TONS more coming!

Now for the surprise- there’s actually TWO of them. First, we wrote a non DD related Christmas fic for Miscard’s H/Hr contest, but it turned out way too long yet she read an excerpt on the podcast she posted today- so go over and listen to that and then read the whole thing right here on PK.

The second surprise is we have most of the Sims 2 DD characters ready for you! Please read the note on the front page and we hope you enjoy playing them in your game as much as we do. They’re not all up there yet, and we don’t have the custom content downloads listed yet, but they’ll be up next week.

As always, thank you for your comments and reviews!

The next morning everyone save for Ethan and Maddie arose early ready to take advantage of the beautiful day. Harry was joking with Ron over who would get the use of the boat first when Saffron came into the kitchen. She pointedly said hello to everyone in the room except for her father. She grabbed a cinnamon raisin bagel from the counter and a glass of orange juice thinking she'd just eat her breakfast on the deck.

"Sweetheart," Hermione said. "There are some pancakes here."

"I'm okay with this," Saffron said. "I'm just going to go out on the deck."

"I think I'll join you then," Harry said, grabbing his cup of coffee.

"Whatever," Saffron said not really looking forward to a lecture from her father. She walked out onto the deck and plopped down on one of the chaise lounges.

"Trouble in paradise still?" Ron teased his best friend.

"Not for long," Harry said sharing a look with Hermione before going outside to join his daughter.

Saffron was munching on her bagel and she shifted in her chair to face away from her father as he stepped outside.

"Lovely day, isn't it?" Harry asked sitting down on the lounge beside her.

"Seems that way," Saffron replied.

"You got a little sunburned," Harry noticed looking at his daughter's red cheeks.

"I suppose," Saffron answered, sipping her juice.

Harry sighed. "You're not going to make this easy on me, are you? I know you're angry, Saffy...."

"Dad do you realise how embarrassing that was yesterday?" Saffron's eyes blazed angrily. "To have you get all angry just because I was playing volleyball with two blokes? It's not like I was running around in the ocean with them all starkers!"

"I know," Harry said. "But your mother stopped me before I could do anything, Saffy."

"What would you have done if she hadn't?" Saffron returned evenly.

Harry had always thought Saffron was very much like her mother and that fact was hit home for him in the way she looked at him.

"I-I don't know," he answered truthfully. "But Saffron, you are not just another girl. You are the daughter of two very high profile people and as sad as it may be, there are some people out there who only want to be your friend or to date you because of who you are..."

"Well I'm not stupid," Saffron huffed. "I would like to think I can tell if I was being used just because of who you and mum are."

Harry set his coffee cup down on the ground. "Saffy, I never said you were stupid, but you're still very young. And I think those two blokes may have been trying to get close to you because of me. I mean, we just showed up yesterday and all of a sudden...."

"Dad will you please get over yourself," Saffron rolled her eyes. "They're Muggles."

"They're what?" Harry asked taken aback.

"Muggles," Saffron said again. "As in non magic, no idea that you've saved the world, yada yada..."

"Oh," Harry said suddenly feeling very stupid. "Well, I…uh..."

Saffron had to suppress a smile at his expression.

Harry thought about the best way to phrase what he wanted to say. The last thing he wanted to do was make her any more upset than she already was.

"Saffron," he said finally. "I know you're not going to want to hear this, but I hate that you're growing up."

"Obviously," she replied.

Harry let out a weak laugh. "And as much as I hate it, I know there's nothing I can do to stop it."

"Right," she said. "So why are you always bugging me about stuff? I can't wear my bikini without the third degree. You don't like a certain shirt or how I wear my hair sometimes--"

"I miss the plaits," Harry joked, but Saffron didn't laugh. "Okay, you're right. Your mum keeps telling me that I need to trust you and you know what?"

"What, that's never going to happen?" Saffron asked sarcastically.

"No smartarse," Harry said. "I'm going to do just that. I'm going to ease up. You're the same age that Julie was when she started to date."

"Did you make her go through all this?" Saffron asked.

"I'll let you in on a secret," Harry said. "I even toyed with following her on that first date, but your mum talked me out of it."

"You almost followed Jules on her first date?" Saffron asked incredulously. "Dad that's horrible!"

"She doesn't know," Harry said. "And I'd appreciate if you kept that between us. And if I ever do something like that to you, you're more than welcome to tell her then."

"I'll keep that in mind," Saffron said, turning on the chaise to face her father. "I guess I can see how it's hard for you to see your last child grow up."

"And I suppose it's not easy to deal with an overprotective father," Harry said grinning at his daughter.

"You could be worse," Saffron smiled at him. "You could be Uncle Neville."

Harry clutched his chest. "Heaven forbid."

"Just trust me okay Dad?" Saffron asked.

"I will," he promised. "If you'll promise me something."

"What?" Saffron finished her juice.

"If you make some time for your old man during the holiday," he said holding out his hand. "I know you're going to be busy playing volleyball and swimming and driving your father crazy."

"Okay," Saffron smiled. She ignored his hand and instead hugged him.

Harry hugged her back. "My sweet girl."

"Most of the time," Saffron giggled.

"I'll always see you like that," he said tickling her side.

"Is that good or bad?" she laughed.

"It's good," Harry said. "At least I think so."

"What are you going to do when I get married?" Saffron asked. "Sob the whole way down the aisle?"

"The Boy Who Lived never sobs," Harry said with a grin.

"The Boy Who Lived became the Dad Who Overreacts," Saffron deadpanned. "Who'd have thought?"

"Your mother," Harry said. "I'll have you know she wasn't pleased with me at all yesterday."

"I could tell," Saffron said, tossing a bit of her bagel for the seagulls swooping about.

"You're so much like her," Harry said moving over and sitting on the chair beside Saffron. "You have my temper, but you remind me so much of your mother Saffy. You always have."

"Like how?" Saffron asked interestedly.

"You are very passionate about life, your family, your work," he said. "You get that from her. If you want something, you go out and make it happen."

Saffron smiled. "I guess I do, yeah."

"And you never let anyone get away with anything," Harry said shaking his head. "Drives me bloody insane sometimes."

Saffron laughed. "That's one of my best qualities," she boasted.

Harry chuckled. "Well we'd better get inside. R.J. was talking about taking you and Alexa on the boat."

"Okay," Saffron said. She surprised Harry by hugging him again. "I love you Dad."

"I love you too sweetheart," Harry said hugging her back. "And do try not and push R.J. overboard today, okay?"

"For Alexa's sake I won't," Saffron giggled.

"That's my girl," Harry said standing up and walking back inside with Saffron.

"Everything okay?" Hermione asked.

"Fine Mum," Saffron said. "I'm going to change into my swim costume."

"Alright," Hermione said pecking her on the cheek. "Alexa went upstairs to get changed too."

"Okay," Saffron headed up to the bedroom she was sharing with her best friend. "You decent in there?" she knocked.

"Yes," Alexa called out. She'd just changed into her own bikini and thrown on an oversized t-shirt. "What's going on?"

"I need to change," Saffron said. "Plus I'm glad we got a few minutes alone. You HAVE to tell me what happened last night!"

"Me too," Alexa said grinning at the memory of it. "I was tempted to wake you when I came back."

"You should have!" Saffron disappeared into the closet to change. "So??? Don't keep me in suspense!"

Alexa sat down on the edge of her twin bed. "Well, we were just talking and snogging and then...he, um, well he...told me he loved me."

Saffron gasped. "He what?"

"He told me he loves me," Alexa said trying to keep her voice down so no one could hear.

"Oh my God!" Saffron squealed as she hugged her friend. "Lex that's so fantastic!"

"I know," Alexa said grinning. "I can't believe this is happening, Saffy. Last summer, I was daydreaming about him and now...."

"You two are in love," Saffron finished. "I think it's so sweet!"

"He said he'd felt that way since the night we were in my tree house," Alexa said. "That was the same night I nearly told him the same thing."

"I can't believe he never said anything to me," Saffron mused, pulling on her cover up.

"Maybe that's because the two of you have been at each other's throats since we got here," Alexa said.

"Well yeah but he's known he's loved you since Easter," Saffron pointed out.

Alexa shrugged. "Maybe it's not something blokes feel they can talk about. I don't imagine he's gushing to his brothers about telling me this."

Saffron laughed. "Can you imagine the torturing he'd go through if Josh and Jon knew about this?"

"I don't even want to think about it," Alexa laughed.

There was a knock on their bedroom door and both girls turned to see R.J. open the door.

"You girls decent?" he asked poking his head inside before getting an answer.

"Too late," Saffron smirked. "No glimpses today."

"Damn," R.J. said snapping his fingers. "Well there's always tomorrow."

"You wish," Saffron said as Alexa grinned at him. "So R.J.... heard you and Lex had an interesting conversation last night..."

"You told her didn't you?" R.J. asked Alexa.

"She asked," Alexa said blushing. "And she is my best friend."

"You're sworn to secrecy," R.J. pointed to Saffron. "If my brothers get wind of this--"

"Get real would you?" Saffron scoffed. "I'm not a blabbermouth you know."

"Okay," R.J. said. "Look, I promise not to give you a hard time about Peter anymore, okay? Just don't say anything to them."

"My lips are sealed," Saffron said sweetly. "Like yours and Alexa's are joined together almost permanently."

"Yeah okay," R.J. said. "I guess I won't talk about you and Things One and Two down on the beach yesterday."

"I didn't snog either one of them," Saffron said as the three of them headed down to the beach.

"Yet," R.J. teased. "And look, there's one of them now..."

"Hey Saffy," the boy said warmly. "I was wondering when you were going to come out..."

"Hiya Sean," Saffron said smiling back at him.

"We're headed out on our boat if you want to join us," R.J. said. "We'll probably be out there for a few hours..."

"Sure," Sean replied. "Sounds like fun. Let me just go and tell my folks and I'll meet you at the docks?"

"All right," Saffron smiled. "Don't make us wait too long now..." she put her hand on his arm.

Sean grinned. "I won't."

Alexa and R.J. shared a look when Sean took off for a run toward his house.

"Sean and Saffy sitting in the tree," R.J. started to sing.

"Sod off R.J. or I go back in our house and blab," Saffron said sharply.

R.J. frowned. "Aye, how about we go on down to the boat?"

Saffron smiled sweetly at him. "You've got the right idea R.J.. Alexa has you trained well."

"If you really fancy this guy, I'll try and not give you a hard time," R.J. said. "But if he does anything out of sorts, I'll cripple him for ya."

"He's nice," Saffron shrugged as the three of them pulled the cover off the boat. "Might be fun to hang around with while you two are off snogging and whispering lovey dovey to each other."

"I like him better than the other bloke," R.J. said. "That loser kept wanting to talk to me about football. He was almost as bad as..."

"Ben?" Alexa finished for him.

"Yeah," R.J. said. "I don't know a bloody thing about the sport."

"Well Sean knows nothing about Quidditch," Saffron said.

"I don't see why we have to lie or cover up," R.J. said directing his comments more at Alexa than Saffron. "If someone is really your friend, I think they'd understand."

"It's not our rule," Alexa replied as she and Saffron rolled up the cover and stowed it under one of the seats. "And if we break it we could all get into huge trouble."

"You remember what that guy Ryan did to Julie right?" Saffron asked. "Some Muggles are afraid of magic, and what they don't know. It's better this way."

"But what about people you've known for a long time?" R.J. asked. "What if you were friends with someone for a long time and you..."

"It's not that easy," Alexa said. "You wouldn't understand R.J.. You've grown up with people who knew what you were and what you could do. I didn't."

"I've known both in my life," Saffron said. "It's not as easy to accept as you think R.J.."

"I'd love to tell my friends back home what we are," Alexa said. "But they wouldn't understand R.J.. Maybe someday they might, but that time isn't now."

Saffron looked up to see Sean ambling down the beach towards them. "Okay so R.J., you know we can't talk about magic then in front of him. We always just say we go to boarding school in Scotland."

"Yes, yes," R.J. said. "I've got it. Football good, magic bad."

"Good boy," Alexa said, giving him a kiss. "There's more where that came from once we get out there," she whispered.

R.J. grinned. "That's what we like to hear."

"You two are sickeningly cute," Saffron commented. "Get used to hearing them whispering lovey cutesy things to each other the whole time we're out there Sean."

"I guess I've been warned then eh?" Sean asked.

"Something like that," she helped him onto the boat. "Where's Matthew today?"

"Went fishing with his dad," Sean said. "He asked if I wanted to go, but I was hoping that I'd run into you."

"Oh," Saffron grinned. "Okay then. I'm glad you stuck around."

"Even though you beat the trousers off me and Matt yesterday," Sean said. He looked at R.J. and Alexa. "Is she this good at everything she does?"

"Pretty much," R.J. answered. "I've known this girl since she was born and she's always got to be the best in everything."

"And usually is," Alexa said grinning at her best friend.

Saffron shook her head. "All right, now you're giving me an ego."

"As if you already didn't have a healthy one as it is." R.J. teased. "Come on, let's get out there."

Harry watched from the deck as his daughter and her friends set off on the boat.

"He seems like a nice boy," Hermione said coming up behind him.

"I hope so," Harry said. "I told Saffy I trust her and I'm going to make good on the promise that I won't embarrass her. But it's hard for me to watch her go out there with no adults around."

"She's with R.J.," Hermione said. "And you know he'd never let anything happen to her."

"I know," Harry replied. "I do trust her. And I trust R.J.."

"But it's still hard," Hermione said putting an arm around him.

"Yeah," Harry said. "Fancy taking my mind off this?" he grinned at his wife.

"What did you have in mind?" Hermione asked innocently.

Harry leaned in and nibbled at her neck. "There's that..." he began

Hermione grinned. "I do like that...."

"Shall we move this to our bedroom?" Harry asked huskily. "Wouldn't want to embarrass the kids..."

"Of course not," Hermione said laughing. "Let's go."

Meanwhile Saffron and Alexa were laughing as R.J. purposely bounced the boat over some waves. "This is so much fun!" Alexa yelled over the wind.

"He's just trying to impress you Lex," Saffron called out.

"He doesn't have to!" Alexa laughed again as R.J. sped up.

"So," Sean said. "You guys come out here every summer?"

"Usually," Saffron held her hair out of her eyes. "A few summers ago we didn't get to come. But we were here last year."

"You certainly have a lot of people in your house," Sean said with a laugh. "How do you fit all those people in there?"

"The rooms are pretty small and we share," Saffron explained.

"My dad's company has a house here," Sean said conversationally. "That's why we're down here. And I know Matt from school."

"How do you like it here?" Saffron asked, smiling at him.

"Better now," he said looking right at her. "I was actually pretty bored before you showed up."

"I'm glad I can liven things up for you a bit then," she flirted.

"I bet you do that wherever you go," Sean said flirting right back. "I still can't believe someone like you doesn't have a boyfriend."

"I should think you'd be happy about that," Saffron said coyly.

R.J. saw Saffron and Sean flirting and he grinned wickedly. He twisted the wheel and made a sharp turn, causing Saffron to fly against Sean on the seat.

"Are you okay?" Sean asked with a nervous laugh.

"Fine," Saffron said, glaring over her shoulder at R.J.. "I'm sorry about that," her face turned pink.

"It's okay," Sean said smiling at her. "I didn't mind."

"Okay," Saffron said, pulling herself right on the seat.

"You're so bad," Alexa said nudging R.J. in the side.

"You want to take over?" he asked.

"I'd rather go up to the front of the boat," Alexa said. R.J. had driven them far out and now there wasn't even any land visible. "A little privacy..."

"Miss O'Leary?" R.J. asked. "What are you trying to do to me?"

Alexa grinned at him. "Come on R.J.."

"Okay," he said cutting the power on the boat.

"Where are you two going?" Saffron asked as Alexa grabbed his hand.

R.J. grinned in reply. "To have some fun. Behave you two." he said as his girlfriend tugged him around the side to the front.

Sean smiled nervously at Saffron. "I thought they'd never leave."

Saffron felt her stomach flutter. "They've been attached at the lips ever since they started dating."

"Must be kind of hard tagging along with them," he said. "I mean not that you're a third wheel or anything, but I---I'm sounding like an idiot, aren't I?"

"It's okay," Saffron said, shifting a bit closer to him on the seat. Sean really was rather cute, she thought.

"I really like you Saffron," he said softly.

"You do?" she whispered, the butterflies making her stomach flutter even more now. Was he drawing closer or was it just her?

Sean nodded and leaned in even further. "And I'd really like to..."

Saffron caught her breath as Sean pressed his lips to hers.

Sean rested his hand on Saffron's waist and pulled her a little closer.

Saffron was partly glad she still had her cover up on as she and Sean kissed. It was quite thrilling, this snogging, and she stifled her gasp of surprise as he opened his lips over hers and kissed her more deeply.

"Whoa," Sean said a few moments later when they broke apart.

"Yeah," Saffron smiled, feeling a little bit shy. "That was really um... that was really great Sean."

"You didn't mind then?" he asked.

"No," she shook her head. "I liked it."

"Good," he said smiling at her. "You, um never told me how long you and your family were going to be here."

"For the next two weeks," Saffron replied.

"Us too," Sean said grinning. "Though I am quite amazed my dad actually wanted to take a holiday. He's a bit of a workaholic actually. My mum had to threaten him with divorce if he didn't take us on holiday. But he's still on the beach with his laptop and mobile, you know?"

Saffron giggled. "So you really don't see more of him than normal?"

"Not really," Sean said with a shrug. "He's usually gone when I wake up and he doesn't come home until after dinner."

"You'll have to come hang out with me, R.J. and Alexa," Saffron offered.

Sean grinned. "You sure your parents wouldn't mind? I don't think your dad liked me too much. That was your dad, right? The bloke with the glasses and the angry expression on his face?"

Saffron laughed. "Yeah, he's a bit overprotective but I straightened him out this morning. He's really nice once you get to know him."

"What does your dad do?" Sean asked conversationally. "For a living, I mean?"

"He's in um... law enforcement." Saffron said quickly.

"No wonder you don't have a boyfriend," Sean teased. "The blokes are probably scared he'll arrest them. Does he work at Scotland Yard?"

"Something like that," Saffron giggled.

"And your mum?" Sean asked.

This was definitely harder. "She works in government... sort of top secret stuff." she covered hastily.

"Like James Bond stuff?" Sean asked intrigued.

"James Bond?" Saffron asked. "Who's that?"

Sean stared at her for a moment thinking she was joking. "You---you don't know who James Bond is? Saffy? You've got to be kidding me? Sean Connery? Pierce Brosnan? Roger Bloody Moore?"

Saffron shrugged. "Sorry..." she had absolutely no idea who he was talking about.

"Don't you go to the movies?" he asked. "Or catch a Bond movie on telly?"

"Oh... no I don't get a lot of time to watch films," she said. "Especially not at school, they don't allow the telly up there and there's no theatre nearby."

Sean laughed. "What kind of school do you go to? That doesn't sound like that much fun."

"It's a boarding school," Saffron said. "Way up in northern Scotland."

Sean nodded. "Do you miss your folks when you’re away?"

"Yeah," Saffron said, sitting back against the seat and pulling her hair up out of her eyes. "I mean, I'm home for Christmas, Easter and summer hols but the rest of the time I'm up there at school."

"What part of London do you live in?" Sean asked. "Maybe it's not too far away where you and I could see each other when you're home."

"Near the centre of the city," Saffron said vaguely.

"Anywhere near Shepherd's Bush?" Sean asked.

"I... don't think so." Saffron had never heard of that.

Sean pulled a confused face wondering why she was being so vague and he seriously wondered if she lived under a rock. Still, she was quite pretty and he genuinely liked her. "So um what sorts of music do you like?" he asked trying to go another route.

"Oh anything by the Weir-... the Beatles," Saffron said enthusiastically.

"Oh me too!" Sean exclaimed. "My dad and mum have some old CDs. Do you like the Stones too?"

"Sure," Saffron nodded.

"What are you two talking about?" Alexa asked as she and R.J. came back from the front of the boat.

"Music," Sean said. "I was just trying to find out who Saffy liked. And we were talking about the Stones and the Beatles."

"The who?" R.J. asked.

"The Who! They're a good group too," Sean said. "My dad and mum saw them in concert."

"Oh," R.J. said. "Did you two at least snog?" he asked.

"Did you?" Saffron asked glaring at him.

"Course we did," R.J. slid an arm around Alexa.

"Big surprise," Saffron said rolling her eyes.

"I thought we might head back and play volleyball again like we did yesterday," Alexa said. "Are you two up for it?"

"That sounds like fun," Sean said. "Maybe Matt will be back from fishing and he'll join us."

"Great," R.J. said forcing a smile.

"He drives me crazy with the football talk too," Sean said laughing.

"All football talk drives me crazy," Alexa said and Saffron nodded.

"I'm more of a golf fan actually," Sean said leaning back on the bench.

"Me too!" Saffron exclaimed. "I play with my grandfather all the time!"

"Do you really?" Sean asked grinning at her. "That's cool. Maybe we could play some time?"

"I'd love that," Saffron's eyes sparkled excitedly.

"And maybe I'll rent a James Bond movie or two," Sean said. He looked at R.J.. "Can you believe she didn't know who James Bond was? I mean, come on!"

"Oh... yeah Saffy." R.J. said with a wicked smile. "How could you not know who James Bond is?"

Saffron glared at him. She knew for a fact R.J. didn't know who this James Bond person was anymore than she did. Well, two could play this game, she thought.

"Well," Saffron said with a shrug. "I guess that's never come up. Sean was just telling me about what a workaholic his dad is. Says that he's always on the laptop. We could say the same about you couldn't we R.J.?"

"Sure," R.J. said, his smile slipping. "You could say that."

"Do you have one?" Sean asked. "I keep trying to get my dad's but he won't let me. I have quite a few things downloaded on it."

"I uh..." R.J. looked to Alexa for help.

"Computers," Alexa said shaking her head. "What would we ever do without them?"

"Right," R.J. said, shooting a triumphant look at Saffron. "Can't live without them!"

Saffron planned on talking to Alexa about her always letting R.J. win when they got back to the beach. But she wasn't through messing with R.J. yet. This was going to be a little payback for all the hell he'd put her through over Peter.

"R.J.," Saffron said not even trying to hide her grin. "How about you tell Sean..."

"About how you used to wet the bed?" R.J. finished for her. "No, I don't think I should tell him that. Besides, you've not done that in a couple of years..."

"Ronald Bilius," Saffron's eyes narrowed into slits. "You just wait until we get back to school. You are going to be covered in bloody spots the rest of your life once I'm through hexing you!"

"Saffy," Alexa said, her eyes growing wide as she motioned silently toward Sean.

"Oh... shite." Saffron pressed her lips together.

"Hex?" Sean's eyebrows furrowed. "You sound like my cousin."

"We should head on back," Alexa said. "Didn't Maddie and Ethan want to take the boat out?"

"Right," R.J. said, grabbing the keys.

"Your cousin?" Saffron crossed her arms. "You have a cousin that hexes people?"

"She wishes," Sean said, not wanting to say anything more on the subject. "She could be the Wicked Witch of the North though. She's about as mean as one."

Saffron's eyes narrowed as R.J. started the boat. "Where does this cousin of yours go to school?"

"I'm not really sure," Sean said. "It's kind of a secret Saffy. No one's supposed to know about it."

Saffron bit her lower lip. "Is it called... Hogwarts?"

Sean looked at her in surprise. "H-how did you know? "

"Well..." Saffron said. "Me, Alexa and R.J.... we go there too."

"You mean you're a---that you three are...." Sean stammered.

"Right," Saffron said sheepishly. "I'm sorry I couldn't tell you before... and I really hope you aren't angry with me." she put her hand on his arm.

"No," he said quietly. "I'm not angry, it's just...strange, I guess."

"Who's your cousin?" R.J. asked. "Maybe we know her? What house is she in?"

"She’s a few years older than us so I don’t think you’d know her or anything," Sean replied. "But her name's Christina. Christina Grant."

"Eww!" Saffron and Alexa said at the same time.

"You know her?" Sean asked with a laugh. "It's okay, we're not all that close. She spent the entire Christmas holiday talking about some bloke named Junior. It was Junior this and Junior that. It was a bit..."

Saffron laughed. "Sean, meet Junior." she gestured to R.J.. "He knows your cousin REALLY well." she snickered.

"You're Junior," Sean said looking at R.J.. He laughed. "And you Alexa must be the red-haired tart who stole him right out from under Christina's nose."

"That would be me," Alexa laughed.

"And she's damn proud of it." Saffron finished. "So you're actually RELATED to her?"

"Please don't hold it against me." Sean said. "We really don't get on at all."

"We all have something in common then," Alexa said laughing. "We don't get on with her either."

"I did," R.J. said displaying that well known Weasley tactfulness. "Well, you know until..."

"Then you're one of a few," Sean joked. "I really am glad you don't hold it against me," he said to Saffron as R.J. began to steer the boat back in the direction of the beach.

"I'm going to try," Saffron said. "Really, I will. But of all people, Christina Grant."

"I know, I know. You can imagine what she's like at family parties. Always threatening to hex us, when she's not brushing her hair or doing her nails that is," Sean rolled his eyes. "We always just steer clear of her."

"But at least we don't have to lie to you," Saffron said. "I never have liked doing that. I know it's necessary and all, but it's hard to do with people you like."

Sean grinned at her. "At least now I know how you're fitting all those people in your beach house." he put his arm around her.

"Aye," Saffron said resting her head on his shoulder.

Alexa grinned back at her friend. "I think Saffy's finally found somebody," she said to R.J.. "This is great, now we can double while we're here!"

"And we won't feel so guilty when we go off by ourselves," R.J. said steering the boat.

"This is going to work well for all of us," Alexa giggled. "Can I try driving this?"

"Sure," R.J. said. "Come here..."

Alexa smiled as R.J. showed her how to steer the boat. "I'm so glad I came here." she said, looking back at him.

R.J. kissed her. "So am I, Lexie. So am I."

"I love you," Alexa said, the wind whipping at her hair.

"I love you," he said putting his hands over hers.

"Drive the bloody boat would you?" Saffron teased from where she was leaning against Sean.

"Do you hear anything?" R.J. asked his girlfriend.

"Just another couple that should be snogging but aren't," Alexa replied.

"Shall we?" Sean asked.

"Put on a show?" Saffron asked.

"I'm game if you are," Sean said nudging her.

Saffron grinned before shamelessly capturing Sean's mouth with hers.

*** *** ***

"That was just too weird," Ethan said as he and Maddie took their turn out on the boat later that afternoon.

"What was?" Maddie asked, tying her hair into a hasty plait to keep it from tangling in the wind.

"Seeing my baby sister snogging some bloke when they drove up here." Ethan shook his head.

"Yes well now you know how it felt for me to walk by R.J.'s door last night and hear him giggling with Alexa," Maddie said laughing. "I don't even want to think of my baby brother doing things like that. To me, he's that same little boy who used to follow me around."

Ethan laughed too. "It's a good thing my dad wasn't out there to see that. And a good thing yours didn't hear what was going on in R.J.'s room last night."

"You know what's another good thing?" Maddie asked glad to see Ethan in a better mood than he was last night.

"What?" he asked, gunning the motor and turning the boat to the open water.

"Being out here all alone with you," Maddie replied.

He turned back and grinned at her. "That is a very good thing." he called over the wind.

Maddie grinned and looked back at the shore which was disappearing fast as she and Ethan went further out. It had been great to fall asleep in his arms and to wake up next to him. He had been right last night when he said that they needed this.

Ethan could feel any tension he might have had leave him as Maddie came up behind him, wrapping her arms around his middle. "Want to drive?" he asked with a grin.

"Sure," Maddie said eagerly.

"You remember how right?" Ethan asked as she moved in front of him. He placed his hands over hers and kissed the side of her forehead.

"I had a good teacher," Maddie said.

She took over the wheel and Ethan slid his arms back around her waist. "You do remember this well," he said in her ear.

"I remember that well too," Maddie said with a giggle.

"And you asked me to stop the boat..." Ethan said, kissing under her ear.

"Right here," Maddie said softly.

"Exactly," Ethan stopped the boat and turned her around, pressing his lips to hers.

Maddie looped her arms around his neck eager to be as close to him as possible. "Ethan..."

He pulled her over to the seat, kissing her again, sweeping his hands through her hair, loosening it from the plait. "I never get tired of kissing you," he said.

Maddie smiled and shivered a little when Ethan undid the ties of her bikini top. "Mmmm...."

His hands were eager as he ran them over her smooth warm skin. "You are incredible," he breathed, kissing her lips and neck.

Maddie felt as if every inch of her was on fire as Ethan lay her back down on the seat.

"Is this okay?" he asked, barely breaking his mouth away from hers.

"Yes," she breathed. "It's perfect."

"Okay," Ethan said smiling down at her as he brushed her hair back. With his left hand, he began to pull the other tie to her bikini.

Maddie barely felt Ethan pull the tie loose, but her skin tingled as he brought his hand down to her breast. Something seemed to jolt her back to reality and right as Ethan started kissing her again she pushed gently at his chest. "Ethan..."

"What?" his eyes opened and he blinked at her. "What's wrong?"

"Not...not here," she said pushing him away. "I think we..."

Ethan was breathing hard as he sat back. "Maddie--"

Maddie sat up and hastily retied the strings of her bikini. "We got carried away again. I'm sorry..."

"Don't tell me we were going too fast," Ethan put his hand up.

"We were," Maddie said. When Ethan got up and stood with his back to her, Maddie could tell he was angry, but she couldn't understand why.

"Maddie we've been together for a year now," Ethan began. "I've told you that I respect the fact that you want to wait until we're married. I want to wait too. But you don't trust me to stop when we're snogging and I don't know why. I've never given you any reason to not trust me."

"I've never given you any reason to think I don't trust you," she argued. "Ethan..."

"This," Ethan gestured to her on the seat. "This is a perfect reason. You always tell me we're going too fast. We've bloody been together a year Maddie. The only way we could go too fast is if we actually went all the way!"

"You're angry with me," Maddie said quietly. "I understand that, but we agreed that we would wait Ethan. You said you didn't mind."

"I just told you I didn't mind waiting," Ethan said. "But to be frank here, I'm bloody frustrated. There's nothing like getting pushed away in the middle of a snog session to make a bloke feel unwanted."

"I do want you," Maddie said. "You know that I do, but I just...would you please look at me?"

Ethan sighed and turned around to face her.

"I do trust you Ethan," she said softly. "And this is just as hard for me as it is for you, but this is important to me. Deciding to wait is very important to me. But, you don't seem to understand."

"What's not to understand?" Ethan snapped. "I'm not asking you to shag me right here Maddie. But every time I want to just... fool around, you're there one second saying how fine it is and how much you want it, and then the moment I actually touch you, you're pushing me away and telling me it's too fast! What the hell am I supposed to think?"

This time it was Maddie who turned away. Obviously, Ethan didn't understand how important this was to her.

"You know I'm right," Ethan said in a quieter tone.

"I don't know anything," she said folding her arms. "Not anymore."

"So what are you saying?" he asked.

"I'm saying that maybe you and I don't want the same things," she said quietly. "Everyone kept telling me how wonderful it was that you were understanding about this, but the truth is you're not. You probably thought that once we moved in together, I'd change my mind. I'm so sorry if being with me is so bloody frustrating!"

"Stop putting words in my mouth that weren't there," Ethan said heatedly. "I DO understand all right? Name ONE time I've pushed you. Name ONE time!"

"I never said you pushed me," she shot back. "I don't want to be out here with you. Will you please take us back to shore?"

"What?" he laughed in disbelief.

"I said take me back to shore," Maddie said angrily.

"Fine," Ethan snapped. He turned away from her and gunned the motor, not waiting to see if she was sitting down. He headed back to shore quickly, and when he pulled into their dock, he didn't even wait to help her out of the boat.

Maddie watched in anger as Ethan made quick work of securing the boat. She felt hot tears well up in her eyes and she wanted to get out of here before he could see how upset she was.

On the shore, Allison was sitting on a blanket with Jon and the girls and laughing as Caroline tried to help Emma bury Jon in the sand. She looked over to see Maddie hurrying up the beach. Right away she could tell something was wrong.

"I'll be right back," Allison called out to Jon as she quickly got up.

Maddie heard someone come up behind her as she went to the house and at first she thought it was Ethan. "Leave me alone," she said, wiping at her eyes.

"Maddie it's just me," Allison put a hand on the younger woman's shoulder. "What's wrong? Did you and Ethan have a row?"

"You could say that," Maddie said her voice breaking.

"Come on," Allison said putting an arm around her. "Let's go into my room. We can talk there."

Maddie nodded. "Okay," she said, sniffing.

Allison quickly led Maddie into the house and upstairs to her room. Maddie sat down on the edge of the bed and Allison handed her a box of tissues.

"Thanks," Maddie said taking them.

"You two looked so happy when you set out," Allison said sitting down beside her. "What happened?"

"I don't know," Maddie said, her eyes tearing up again. "We just... we got out there and we were talking about how a year ago we had just admitted how we felt... and then we started snogging..." she wiped her eyes. "And I just... I got so scared Allie. He untied my bikini top and he put his hands on me and I get so scared that we won't be able to stop."

"Ethan---he didn't try and force you did he?" Allison asked amazed that she was able to get that question out. The Ethan she knew would never do something like that.

"No," Maddie let out a shuddery sigh. "He'd never do that to me... but he says I don't trust him to stop."

"And do you?" Allison asked gently. "Trust him to stop?"

"I don't know," Maddie whispered. "Allie I'm not like other girls. I never dated or kissed anyone before Ethan. I don't know how far to go before it's too far."

Allison hugged her sister-in-law. "Oh Maddie..."

"I just don't know what to do," Maddie began to cry again.

Allison looked thoughtfully at her. She didn't know if she was the best person to come looking to for advise. She'd married the only boy she'd ever loved and she and Jon had pretty much learned everything together. "I wish I could tell you what to do Maddie. That's up to you, but I really think you need to ask yourself if you really do trust Ethan. Do you really think that he wouldn't be able to stop?"

"I'm pretty sure I trust him," Maddie swallowed hard. "I know he'd never do anything to hurt me."

"And when you're alone together and fooling around," Allison said. "How does that feel?"

"Amazing," Maddie said with a small smile. "I feel so happy, at least at first. It makes me feel like a different person."

"But then you get scared?" Allison guessed.

"I just don't know," Maddie said miserably. "I don't know anything."

"It's normal to be scared," Allison said putting a hand on Maddie's arm. "This is all very new to you. You've never been in a relationship before and you don't know what boundaries there are. I was scared too when Jon and I were first starting out. You're not strange for feeling this way."

"What do I do?" Maddie asked. "What do I tell Ethan?"

"You could try telling him exactly what you just told me," Allison replied. "He's probably taking this as a rejection. You need to explain to him why you feel the way you do, Maddie. Tell him how scared you are. Be honest with him."

"I tried to," Maddie said. "But he just got angry and then I made him take me back to shore. I want to be with him Allie. I want to do normal relationship things. But I'm just scared we'll take things too far one day and not be able to turn back."

"Give him some time to cool off and then try talking to him again," Allison suggested. "Maddie, Ethan loves you very much. He'll listen."

"I hope so," Maddie said quietly. "Thanks Allie. I appreciate you talking to me about this."

"I'm glad to help," Allison said giving her another hug. "I've missed you. We don't get to see each other as much as we used to."

"I know," Maddie said. "I've been seeing so much of Frankie lately though." she laughed. "I miss sitting for the girls. You and Jon are going to have to find something to do some night after we get back so I can spend an evening with them."

Allison smiled. "That would be lovely. They miss you too. And we'll have to go out for coffee like we used to do."

"I'd love to do that," Maddie said.

"Good," Allison said. "I should get back down to the beach and make sure Caroline and Emma haven't buried Jon too deep. You want to come with?"

"Sure," Maddie nodded.

Allison stood up. "Emma is still calling you Mad. She keeps asking when Mad is going to play with her."

"Are you sure Jon hasn't taught her his favourite nickname for me?" Maddie grabbed a tie from the dresser and pulled her hair back in a long ponytail. "She's not just calling me Mad and then Dog behind my back?"

Allison laughed. "No, but she does call Max, Mad too."

"Is that a compliment?" Maddie asked with a laugh.

"I think so," Allison said. "Come on."

She and Maddie walked downstairs and out onto the deck and to Maddie's relief, Ethan was nowhere in sight. Allison led the way over to where Jon was reapplying sunscreen to Emma. Caroline was putting seashells in her bucket.

"Ma!" Emma called out when she saw her mother. "Mad!"

"Hi Em," Maddie opened her arms and Emma stumbled over to her. "Are you having fun with your daddy?"

Emma nodded and wrapped her little arms around Maddie's neck.

"The girls let you loose?" Allison teased giving her husband a kiss.

"I had to beg," Jon laughed. "I owe them both some sweets later."

"Daddy I want some chocolate," Caroline said.

Jon looked over at Caroline. "You want me to take you inside to go and see what we can find? Perhaps Grandpa didn't eat it all."

"Maybe later," Caroline said. "Aunt Maddie, do you want to go hunt for seashells with me?"

"Sure," Maddie said smiling at Caroline. "That sounds like fun."

"How about we keep Ems here with us?" Jon said taking Emma back from Maddie.

"Me go!" Emma howled. "I want Mad!"

Jon held his daughter back. "Okay, Em. Now that Daddy can't hear..."

"I don't mind taking her," Maddie said. "I've missed spending time with them."

"Are you sure you don't mind?" Allison asked.

"Not at all," Maddie said. "We'll have loads of fun and I'll keep an extra close eye on them by the water."

"Come on Al," Jon said. "You and I can go have some fun in the water."

"Watch out for any soldier fish Daddy," Caroline said, dumping out her shells and placing her towel over them for safekeeping.

"Okay," Jon said grinning at his daughter. "You be good for your Aunt Mad Dog, okay?"

"See Allie," Maddie laughed. "I told you that's where she got Mad from."

Jon grinned wickedly at his little sister. "Thanks again, Mad Dog. Come on, Al."

"All right," Maddie said. "Emma do you want to walk sweetheart? Or do you want Mad to carry you?"

"Walk," Emma said enthusiastically. "Emma walk."

"Okay," Maddie smiled. "Emma's walking." she took her little niece’s hand and the three of them set out down the beach, stopping every few yards so Caroline could pick up shells.

"You know if you get a bunch of pretty shells," Maddie said to Caroline. "I could help you make necklaces and bracelets."

"You can?" Caroline asked.

"I sure can," Maddie said with a grin. "You know when I was little, your Grandma Luna used to help me make shell jewellery when we were here. I had so much fun doing that and I bet you girls would love it too."

"We can get Grandma to help," Caroline said.

"Of course," Maddie said. "She'd love to help."

"Can we do it after dinner?" Caroline asked. "No, Emma! Don't put that in the bucket...that's a piece of wood!"

"Shell!" Emma said happily.

"It's not a shell," Caroline said reaching into the bucket and pulling it out. She pulled one of the seashells out to show her sister. "See? This is a shell."

"Ohhh," Emma looked at it thoughtfully. "Shell!" she reached out and plucked one from the sand, holding it between her chubby fingers.

"Right," Maddie said laughing. "That's a pretty one, Emma!"

"Shell Mad!" Emma put it in the bucket her sister was holding out.

"That's good Em," Caroline said. "Let's find more okay?"

"Kay," Emma said following her sister.

Maddie would have done anything to go back to her childhood right now; where the biggest concern was finding a pretty seashell. Things became so much more complicated when you grew up; more complicated than Maddie had ever imagined.

61. Chapter 61

Authors' note: We hope everyone had a good holiday. We weren't able to respond to reviews this time around and we apologize for that. We promise to do better in the New Year. In this chapter, Ethan and Maddie talk out their problems and just when you think RJ and Saffron can peacefully co-exist…well, keep reading to find out.

We’re both also glad everyone seems to be enjoying the Sims- check back Friday evening for the Miscellaneous characters section as we’ll have some of the ‘non family’ Sims in there.

The rest of the day passed by in a blur for Maddie. Spending time with Caroline and Emma allowed her to take her mind off of what had happened with Ethan, but as she followed Jon and Allie back toward the house, she felt a pang in her stomach at the idea of facing him again. They were sharing a room after all. And from what Jon had said, Ron and Harry were planning a big barbeque and had spent most of the day preparing for it.

Maddie quickly made her way upstairs. She hoped to get a nice, hot shower in before dinner. Stopping off at the room to get a change of clothes, Maddie was shocked to see Ethan sitting on the bed writing something.

"Hi," she said weakly.

"Hey," he replied quietly.

"I'm...I'm going to take a shower," she said not looking at him as she made her way over to the dresser.

"We're having dinner in about a half hour," he said, standing up.

"I know," she said pulling out a t-shirt and a pair of shorts. "I won't be long."

"Right," he replied, continuing to scratch his quill over the parchment.

"If you want," Maddie said finally looking properly at him. "I can bunk with Saffy and Alexa."

"Why would I want you to do that?" Ethan replied, looking straight back at her.

Maddie shrugged. "I don't know."

Ethan looked at her for a long moment. "Do you want to talk about today?" he finally asked.

"Do you?" Maddie asked.

"I think we should," he answered.

Maddie set her change of clothes down on top of the dresser and sat down on the bed. "I don't know where to start."

"I don't like fighting with you," Ethan said. "I hate it, in fact. But I can't help but believe that some part of you doesn't trust me."

"I want to," Maddie said honestly. At the hurt look on his face, she felt tears well up in her eyes. "You don't understand Ethan."

"Tell me," Ethan reached for her hand. "Tell me why I don't understand Mads. Because I really, really want to."

"You don't know what this is like for me," she said. "You were popular in school Ethan. You had all these girls who fell all over themselves wanting to be with you. I didn't have that. I kept to myself and people thought I was strange. So, I never had a date. I never had a boyfriend. I'd never even been kissed before until you came along..."

"I know," Ethan said. "But we're sort of in the same boat here. I've done a lot in my time but I've never gone all the way. You are the only girl that I ever want to do that with. And despite what I may have said earlier, I want it to be special, for both you and me. I have no problem waiting until marriage." he reached over and handed her a tissue. "But it just seems to me like every time I touch you, you pull away almost immediately. That's why I was so frustrated earlier."

Maddie nodded and wiped her eyes. "I guess I just...I just feel like it's up to me to stop things before they go to far. And it scares me how much I want you, Ethan. I've never felt this way."

"Look at me," Ethan said softly.

Maddie's lower lip trembled as she looked at him.

"My dad has taught me a lot of things in my life. But one of the most important lessons I've learned from him was to respect the people I love." Ethan brushed a tear from her cheek. "Especially people I love like you." he moved closer to her. "I promise you Maddie, that I'll never push you too far. I want you to trust me completely. Whatever I have to do to get you to trust me that way, I'll do it."

"Really?" Maddie asked.

"Really," he smiled at her.

Maddie hugged him tightly. "I'm so sorry for today. I hate fighting with you."

Ethan kissed the top of her head. "I hated it too. I went and pummelled Saffy's new boyfriend in volleyball. Don't think the poor bloke knew what hit him."

Maddie giggled. "You didn't scare him off, did you?"

"Nah," Ethan said. "He barely took his eyes off my sister. Seems like she's got him pretty hooked. Even told him she's a witch."

"And he seemed okay with that?" Maddie asked.

Ethan laughed. "Turns out his cousin goes to Hogwarts. And she's none other than that girl R.J. was seeing around Christmas, the one Saffy hates."

"You're kidding!" Maddie said laughing. "R.J. was like a broken record last Christmas. Christina, Christina, Christina..."

"Now he's all about Alexa," Ethan shook his head. "Boys can be fickle. Good thing I'm a man." he puffed his chest out.

Maddie laughed even harder, feeling much better. Impulsively, she leaned in and gave him a soft kiss. "I love you, Ethan."

"Love you too Mads," Ethan said when they pulled apart. "We're okay now?"

"I think so," she answered resting her forehead on his. "Just be patient with me."

"I'll try harder," Ethan stroked her cheek. "Fancy taking a walk with me tonight? We can go stargazing... even do a little twirling." he grinned impishly at her.

"I'd like that," she said. "But I did promise that I'd help the girls make some necklaces. Perhaps we could do it after they're asleep. I've been so busy that I've missed so much with them."

"Does midnight sound good to you?" Ethan asked as she got up and grabbed her clothes off the dresser.

"Sounds perfect," Maddie said smiling at him before leaving the room.

Ethan dressed himself in a pair of jeans and long sleeved t shirt before heading downstairs. "Anything I can help with?" he asked, coming into the kitchen.

"After you nearly took Sean's eye out," Saffron said sarcastically. "No, we've pretty much got it under control."

"Aw come on Saffy," Ethan mussed her hair. "The bloke's fine. And you gave him a kiss to remember you by--"

"SHUT UP ETHAN!" Saffron pushed him away. "Bloody hell, do you really think I need Dad to hear about me and Sean kissing? It's enough I was able to invite him to the barbeque tonight."

"My little sister's in luuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrve," Ethan sing-songed. "Saffron Grace has been sucking some poor bloke's face...."

R.J. nearly spit out his soda he was laughing so hard.

"You are SO going to pay for that," Saffron's eyes were narrowed into slits.

"You are so going to pay for that," Ethan parroted.

"Stop it!" Saffron hissed.

"Stop it!" Ethan echoed.

Saffron was so angry that she automatically reached for her wand.

"Whoa," R.J. got up and held her arm back. "Ethan she's pretty pissed if she's going for the magic stick."

"Saffron Grace," Hermione said coming back into the kitchen from the deck. "Put that away! And Ethan stop bothering your sister."

"I didn't do anything Mum," Ethan said innocently.

"He's always doing something," Saffron put her wand back in her pocket. When Hermione wasn't looking she hit her brother hard in the arm. "I don't know why Maddie puts up with you. She could do SO much better."

"You know you love me too Saf," Ethan said helping himself to one of the crisps from the bowl on the counter.

"Only because we're related," Saffron snatched the bowl away. "If you weren't my brother I'd really dislike you. A LOT!"

"Come on Saffy," Ethan said. "You used to think I could do anything. Where's that girl at?"

"She grew up," Saffron stuck her tongue out at her brother before carrying a platter of condiments to the deck.

"Hey sweetheart," Harry said when he saw her come out. "You want extra cheese on your hamburger?"

"Sure," Saffron said. "That sounds good."

R.J. followed with Alexa and they started setting the large picnic table. R.J. groaned as he saw Sean coming, but he wasn't alone.

"He's here and he brought football boy with him," R.J. said under his breath to Alexa. "Kill me now."

"R.J.," Alexa said. "Come on, he wasn't that bad this afternoon. Sean said he'd keep him from talking about football too much. And perhaps you'd like the sport if you knew about it."

"Okay, for you, I'll be nice," R.J. said.

"Dad," Saffron said bringing Sean and Matthew over to meet him formally. "I'd like you to meet Sean Grant and this is his friend Matthew Walters."

"Hello," Harry shook his hand. "How are you tonight boys?"

"Thanks for inviting us," Sean said nervously. Saffron had told him what her father had done and he couldn't stop himself from staring at the scar on Harry's forehead.

"Glad to have you," Harry said, glancing at his daughter. "Help yourself to something to eat."

Saffron beamed at her father and when Matthew and Sean were out of earshot, she stood on her tiptoes and kissed his cheek. "Thank you Daddy."

"I trust you baby," Harry smiled at her.

Saffron grinned at him once more before joining her friends.

"I'm quite proud of you too, Harry," Ron joked. "For a second there, I thought we might have another Neville on our hands."

"Oh come on," Harry replied. "I could never be THAT bad."

"I was surprised you didn't go gunning for R.J.," Ron said as he took over at the grill. When Harry looked at him with a clueless expression on his face, Ron laughed. "Well, you know since R.J. was the first bloke to kiss Saffy."

"He was?" Harry asked, turning around to look at Ron's youngest son.

"You didn't know?" Ron asked.

"No," Harry replied. "I didn't. When did this happen?:"

Ron laughed. "Ages ago. I found out when I overheard Luna and Hermione talking about it..."

"How come no one told me?" Harry asked.

"How come no one told you what?" Hermione asked coming out onto the deck. "You guys, this smells delicious!"

"How come you never told me R.J. kissed Saffron?" Harry spun around.

"I think I hear Luna calling me," Ron said nearly sprinting back into the house.

"Because Saffron asked me not to tell you," Hermione said keeping her voice down and hoping Harry would do the same.

"Why?" Harry asked. "My name isn't Neville."

"I never said it was," Hermione said. "But Harry, you're her father. She doesn't want to talk to you about snogging. I never told my dad stuff like that."

"Well yeah but... Harry began.

"You never knew about Julie's first kiss either," Hermione pointed out. "It's not you personally, Harry. It's just how us girls operate."

"I guess," Harry said. "I just like to know things about my kids."

"I know," Hermione said softly. "And you're a great father and all three of our children adore you, Harry. You know that, but there are some things that Saffron is going to be more comfortable discussing with me or with her sister that you aren't going to be privy to. You know if it was something major, I'd tell you."

"Yeah I know," Harry gave her a kiss.

"It kind of evens out, doesn't it?" she said smiling at him. "I'm sure Ethan's told you things that the couldn't tell me."

"Probably," he looked over at his son who had just been joined by Maddie. "Looks like they've ironed everything out."

"Were they having trouble?" Hermione asked.

"A little," Harry replied.

"See?" Hermione teased. "You knew something, I didn't. Very rare, mind you, but it happens..."

"Yeah," Harry smirked. "Rare occurrence..."

"Come on Dad," Saffron called out. "We're hungry!"

"Right," Harry said. "I've got hamburgers, hot dogs, ribs... everyone come fill your plate!"

Ron came back out with Luna and he looked at the platter of food with wide eyes. "Where to begin? Where to begin?"

"At the end of the line," Harry grinned widely.

Ron glared at him. "I cooked half of it!"

"You probably planned on eating half of it too," Harry retorted.

"Since two of my family aren't here," Ron said. "And won't be here until tomorrow, I think that I should at least have their share..."

"How do you figure that one out?" Hermione asked.

"Drew and Darla would want their father to eat," Ron said, snatching a plate and forking some ribs from the platter Harry set down.

"I'll eat their share," Maddie came up behind them. "I'm starved."

"Me too," Josh said. "And my wife is eating for four..."

"I got first dibs," Ron grinned. "That's all I care about."

"Nice Daddy," Maddie laughed. "Really nice."

Matthew nudged Saffron. "Who's the babe?'

Saffron followed Matthew's gaze and laughed. "That's Maddie, she's my brother's girlfriend."

"And my sister," R.J. said glaring at him.

"Sorry mate," Matthew said contritely.

Alexa put her hand on R.J.'s arm. "Let's go and get some food shall we?"

"Sure," R.J. said, getting up without another look at the other two boys.

"Did I piss him off?" Matthew asked. "I didn't mean to."

"He's just crabby is all," Saffron shrugged. "I wouldn't worry about it."

"I can't help it if his sister is hot," Matthew said. "But I shouldn't have said it. She's a bit older than me."

"She's nineteen," Saffron replied. "Maddie's pretty cool. She's really sweet."

"As sweet as you?" Sean asked flirtatiously.

Saffron grinned back at Sean. "Maybe," she said coyly.

"I think so," Sean said standing up and offering his hand to Saffron. "Shall we go and grab a bite to eat?"

"Sure," Saffron linked their fingers together. "Coming Matthew?"

"Sure," he said standing up as well. "I'm starving."

The three teenagers walked over to the large table where Harry and Ron had set the food out and waited in the queue.

"I don't think I need to clean up our room when I wasn't the one to mess it up!" Ashley said hotly as she and her parents walked out onto the deck. "Katie is such a big slob!"

"You are!" Katie said sticking her tongue out at her sister. "You left your sketchbook on my bed!"

"Big deal, it's a bloody sketchbook," Ashley said. "You left your dirty knickers on my pillow! That was REALLY gross Katie!"

"My knickers aren't dirty!" Katie said shoving her sister. "Take it back!"

"Katherine Rose you are disgusting!" Ashley pushed her back.

"Hey!" Nick pulled them apart. "Just what do you think you two are doing?" his grey eyes darkened ominously at his daughters.

Katie folded her arms and again stuck her tongue out at her sister.

"Can I please share a room with anyone else but her?" Ashley asked. "Daddy, she's always hovering around me, looking over my shoulder and she used my paints this morning when I told her that she couldn't!"

Nick herded his daughters back inside. "All right," he said. "No Ashley, you can't share a room with anyone else- unless you want to sleep in the room with Emma and Caroline can stay with Katie. And as for you Katherine Rose, you leave your sister's things alone unless she says so. And that goes for you too Ashley. I've about had it with you two fighting like this all the time."

"Can I really share a room with Caroline?" Katie asked happily.

"I'd rather share my room with a baby than you anyway," Ashley couldn't resist shooting back. Nick gave her a warning look. "Sorry, Daddy."

"You'll have to ask Jon and Allison if they mind," Nick replied. "If they say no, this arguing is still going to stop. Do you both understand me?" he asked sternly.

Both girls nodded and looked down at their feet.

"Now, I want you both to go outside and behave," Nick said. "Stay apart if you can't get along. If I hear another argument between you two tonight, you're both grounded and won't go on the beach tomorrow. Understood?"

"Yes Daddy," Katie and Ashley said quietly.

"All right," he said. "Now go. Have some fun. And don't argue."

Ashley and Katie both went back inside and saw that everyone was already sitting down and eating. Katie went to sit beside Caroline after she fixed her plate.

Saffron took pity on her oldest niece and waved her over. "Come on over here Ash!"

"Thanks Aunt Saffy," Ashley smiled. "Katie's being a royal prat tonight."

Saffron nodded. "So is your Uncle Ethan. Let me introduce you to my friends. This is Sean...and this is his friend Matthew. Guys, this is my niece Ashley."

"Hi Ashley," Sean smiled at the young girl. "It's nice to meet you."

"Nice to meet you too." Ashley said. "You sort of look like Oliver Wood."

"Is that a good thing or a bad thing?" Sean asked not knowing who this was.

Alexa, Ashley and Saffron all nodded. "Very good thing."

"All right then," Sean grinned.

"Who are you all talking about?" Matthew was confused.

Since Matthew didn't know who or what they all really were, R.J. decided to help out. "He's a terrific athlete."

"I've never heard of him," Matthew said. "Does he play with Beckham?"

R.J. had no idea who that was and he looked to Alexa for help.

"He's kind of retired now," Alexa replied. "But he was really quite good when he played."

"Oh," Matthew still looked confused but let the matter drop.

"So tomorrow night," Saffron looked over at Sean. "The four of us are going out for ice cream in the town?"

"Yeah," Sean grinned back at her. "If Matthew here could get a girl, it could be six of us."

"Why don't you go ask my sister?" R.J. blurted out. "I'm sure she'd drop her boyfriend to go out with you."

"R.J. shut up," Saffron said. "Maddie's a pretty girl and guys are bound to notice her."

"Like he noticed my girlfriend?" R.J. asked pointedly looking across the table at R.J.. "Yeah, your new boyfriend's mate here was talking about he was going to try and get with Lex."

"That was before I knew she had a boyfriend mate," Matthew said hastily. "Really..."

"R.J. knock it off," Saffron said furiously.

"It's okay," Alexa said softly, hoping her boyfriend would calm down.

"He said he was sorry," Saffron glared at R.J.. "So bloody drop it already would you? You're being incredibly embarrassing."

Ashley sat enthralled as she watched the group argue. They were almost as bad as her and Katie.

"I'm being embarrassing?" R.J. asked incredulously.

"Hello- yes!" Saffron had her hands on her hips. "Matthew said he was sorry about flirting with Alexa. She's not angry about it- so why are you?"

"Hang on a bloody second!" R.J. said angrily. He'd only heard Matthew talking to Sean about Alexa. He'd never seen the bloke actually flirting with Alexa. "When did you flirt with my girlfriend?"

"Oh my God," Saffron rolled her eyes. "Come on guys, let's go sit somewhere else okay? Come on Ash."

"Saffy," Alexa called out to her friend. "You guys don't have to leave..."

"You can come with us if you don't want to sit with that git," Saffron glared at R.J..

"I think he and I need to talk," Alexa said. When she and R.J. were alone, she looked over at him. "What was that about? Is that why you've been horrible to him since we've met him?"

"Because I don't like him flirting with you." R.J. replied shortly.

Alexa wanted to laugh. She'd always been the one jealous about the attention R.J. got from other girls. The shoe had never been on the other foot, so to speak. "The first day we met him, Saffy and I were alone on the beach. They came up to chat with us and he was being really friendly. That's all, R.J.."

R.J. didn't look convinced. "He's been eyeing you up all night."

"He has not," Alexa said laughing. "He's been checking Maddie out."

"Oh and that makes me feel so much better," R.J. said sarcastically.

"R.J.," Alexa said. "He doesn't fancy me. I mean what did you overhear him say that was so bad?"

"It wasn't just that," R.J. said. "What if you decided you liked him better?" he'd never felt insecure about a relationship before and he hated this feeling.

For a moment Alexa wasn't sure she'd heard him right. "R.J...."

R.J. shook his head and didn't respond.

"I love you," she told him softly. "That's never going to change."

He looked at her properly. "You mean that?"

"Yes you goofball," she said reaching for his hand. "Even when you're being a big prat, I love you."

"You're good to me Lexie," he grinned at her and leaned in for a kiss.

Alexa kissed him earning catcalls from his two brothers.

"Way to go Ronnie Jr!" Jon cheered.

"Thanks Boo Bear," R.J. grinned wickedly after pulling away from his girlfriend.

Jon frowned and looked at his wife. "Who told?"

Allison shrugged innocently. "Wasn't me," she replied.

"Boo!" Emma said from her high chair. "Daddy! Boo!"

Lizzy covered her mouth to keep from laughing too hard.

Everyone joined in on the laughter save for Saffron. "I'm never ever talking to him again," she said with a scathing look at R.J..

"Oh come on," Sean replied. "He's just being a typical boyfriend."

"He's being a typical prat is what he's being," Saffron said. "I'm not talking to him."

"Aunt Saffy are you really never going to talk to him?" Ashley asked, still wide eyed.

"Never," Saffron said stubbornly. "I don't care if he is going out with my best friend."

Sean didn't want to interfere. He'd just met these people a few days ago. "Want to go for a walk or something?" he asked, hoping to cool her down.

"We can't just leave Matthew," Saffron said.

"It's all right," Matthew said. "I'm going to try and apologise again. Feel like a bit of a prat here for causing such a ruckus."

"Don't you dare!" Saffron said. "You shouldn't apologise to him, Matt."

"Well..." Matthew was clearly at a loss. "You two go on ahead. I'm going to get something else to eat. Really, I'll be fine."

"You sure?" Saffron asked.

"Yeah," Matthew said. "Go on and have fun."

Sean thumped his friend on the shoulder. "Save some dessert for us."

Saffron led the way down the beach. "Can you believe him? He's been having a go at me almost the moment we got here and then he acts so incredibly rude to you and to Matt. He doesn't even know you two!"

"It's okay." Sean said. "Blokes are sometimes like that with each other."

"He's as bad as my brother sometimes," Saffy said not noticing how fast she was walking. "In fact, I think the two of them get together and just sit around thinking of ways to make me miserable. Dirty, stinking, filthy..."

"Saffy," Sean said. "Slow down just a bit?"

"What?" Saffron asked turning around.

"You're running," Sean finally caught up to her.

"Oh," Saffron said slowing down. "I'm sorry. I tend to get a bit worked up..."

Sean took her hand in his. "I couldn't tell," he teased.

Saffy blushed. "He just infuriates me sometimes."

"Now that I could tell," Sean grinned at her.

"I was really looking forward to having a nice night with everyone," Saffron said. "And he has to go and ruin everything."

"You don't have to let him ruin your night," Sean said. "I was having fun with you guys... especially you."

"Thanks Sean," she said squeezing his hand. "I am really glad you came."

"Me too," he said, stopping and pulling her closer.

"Really?" she whispered.

"Yeah," he tucked a stray curl of her hair behind her ear.

"So are you going to kiss me now?" she asked with a grin.

"I was afraid you might yell at me if I did," Sean said devilishly.

"You're not R.J. Weasley," Saffron said. "There's no chance of that..."

"Okay," he whispered, leaning in and pressing his lips to hers.

Saffron forgot about R.J. as she relaxed in Sean's arms. This was something she could get very used to.

He ran his fingers though her hair as he kissed her more deeply. He definitely fancied this girl, more than he had any other girl in a long while.

Saffron pulled away mainly to catch her breath. "You're really good at that."

"So are you," Sean said, winding his arms around her waist.

"Even if you are related to that...person," Saffron said.

"You said you wouldn't blame me for that," Sean squeezed her side a little.

"I'm trying," Saffron said giggling. "I wouldn't have kissed you if I hated you for that."

"That's good to know," Sean said, leaning in again.

Saffron kissed him once more. "We should probably get back."

"You sure you've calmed down?" he asked softly.

"Yes," she replied. "I'm just going to stay as far away from him as possible."

"Okay," Sean laughed. "Come on," he wove their fingers together as they headed back to the house.

Caroline, Emma, and Katie and Ashley were now sitting at the picnic table making necklaces with Luna's help. Sean thanked Saffron's parents for inviting him and then he and Matthew left.

Saffron glared at R.J. who was sitting with Alexa as she sat down with the other girls.

"He's such a wanker," Saffron muttered before looking at what Ashley was making. "Hey that's a cool necklace Ash!"

"I'm making this for Grandma Ellie," Ashley said. "Do you think she'll like it?"

"Oh definitely," Saffron grinned.

"I'm making mine for Grandma Ellie too," Katie said holding up her necklace.

"You just said you were making it for yourself," Ashley said. "You're only doing it for Grandma Ellie because I am."

"Shut up Ashley," Katie glowered. "I always said mine was for Grandma!"

"Girls," Maddie whispered. "Your mum and dad are right over there. You know what he said about you fighting."

Katie was about to say something else but she snapped her mouth shut and sat down.

Emma was having trouble stringing her shell and she looked to Luna. "Gamma..."

Luna laughed. "Do you need some help darling?" she moved to sit behind her granddaughter and guided the baby's hands.

"Uncle R.J.," Caroline called out. "Do you like my necklace?"

"I can't see it from all the way over there," R.J. called out to his niece.

"If you'd get off your lazy arse," Saffron said rolling her eyes.

"You said a bad word," Caroline told her.

"I know," Saffron said. "I'm sorry to you Caroline."

"Mummy told me that's not a nice word to say," Caroline continued. "She says no lady says a curse word."

"She obviously never met Saffy," R.J. said coming up behind them. He was meaning to apologise to his friend, but what he'd said obviously wasn't the right thing to say and Saffron rounded on him.

"YOU ARE WITHOUT A DOUBT THE LOWEST HUMAN BEING ON THE EARTH!" Saffron pushed him.

"Saf..." R.J. said stumbling back. "Wait just a second..."

"Don't you come near me," Saffron warned. "I've never been so bloody embarrassed before. The way you were treating those guys was completely uncalled for."

"He was flirting with my girlfriend," R.J. tried to argue.

"HE WAS NOT!" Saffron erupted. "NOT AFTER HE FOUND OUT SHE WAS TAKEN!"

"Saffy," Julie said trying to calm her sister down, but Saffron shrugged her off.

"You need to get your bloody head out of your arse and realise you aren't the only guy on the planet," Saffron was furious.

"And you need to remember that things don't always go the way you want them to," R.J. retorted. "You know it's bloody impossible to be your friend!"

"Oh well that's just too bad for you," Saffron said sarcastically. "Leave me alone Ronald."

"Fine," R.J. said stalking past her and into the house.

"Ugh." Saffron sat down hard. "He bloody nearly ruined my night!"

"Saffy," Julie said. "Don't you think you were being a little hard on him?"

"No I don't Julie," Saffron crossed her arms. "You don't have to put up with him day in and day out like I do."

Alexa stood stock still not sure of what to do or where to go. Should she go after her boyfriend? Or should she stay behind with Saffron.

Maddie put a hand on her arm. "You can go inside with R.J. if you want," she smiled at the redhead. "Saffy needs to cool down again. She'll be fine."

"I don't know," Alexa said. "I think maybe they both need to cool off."

"That they do," Maddie said. "But R.J. could probably use a little comfort as well. Jules and I will take care of Saffy don't worry."

"Okay," Alexa said looking at her best friend before going inside.

"Saffy, you think what R.J. did was embarrassing?" Julie stood with her hands on her hips over her younger sister. "What do you call screaming at him like this?"

Luna quickly shepherded the younger girls inside.

"Jules, you didn't hear what he said to Matt and Sean," Saffron argued.

"And I don't need to," Julie held up a hand. "Saffy- he was just being a guy all right? All guys get jealous when they have a cute girlfriend who's being checked out by another guy. Last summer when Nick found out Ryan was over for dinner he nearly blew a gasket."

"If R.J. thought Alexa would even look at another bloke, he's crazier than I thought," Saffron said folding her arms. "She's liked him since forever for Merlin's sake! But he's just as bad as Ethan. Always having a go at me when I've done nothing wrong. I'm bloody tired of it!"

"They're just teasing you," Maddie said in a gentler tone. "It's because they both care about you Saffy, believe it or not."

"Trust you take up for both of them," Saffron snapped.

"Saffron!" Julie said in a shocked tone.

"It's okay," Maddie said. "Yes Saffy. Ethan's my boyfriend and R.J.'s my brother, but when have you ever known me to stand by when they're going overboard?"

Saffron huffed. "Never I guess," she rolled her eyes.

"I think I'll just go and check on the girls," Maddie said gathering up the bucket of shells and leaving Saffron alone with her sister.

"Saffron, you were incredibly rude just then," Julie chastised.

"So what?" Saffron challenged. "Everyone always sticks up for the guys, Julie. Everyone always tells me to bloody calm down. Well I don't want to calm down!"

Julie sat down. "You'd better calm down. You know if Mum or Dad had witnessed your little tirade, you'd be upstairs grounded and you wouldn't be able to see Sean the rest of the holiday."

Saffron didn't want to admit that her sister was right. "I'm not apologising to R.J. or Ethan," she said. "Just to Maddie.

Julie sighed. "That's a start. You are so damn stubborn Saffy."

Saffron smiled. "Yes I know."

Despite herself, Julie couldn't help laughing. "Well I think I might know something that will make you feel a little better..."

"What?" Saffron asked.

"This morning, I received an owl from Professor Dumbledore," Julie said with a grin. "You, sister dear, are looking at the next Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher at Hogwarts."

"Are you serious Jules?" Saffron grinned. "That's bloody fantastic!"

Julie hugged her sister. " I know. Dad's going to help me out when we get back home to help me get prepared."

"This is so great!" Saffron said. "We'll go to Hogsmeade weekends together, and we'll study every night- well except for nights I have Quidditch practise or Prefect duties, because I'm sure Dumbledore will name me as a Prefect-- what?" she asked. "Why are you making that face Julie. Do you know something I don't? Do you know who the Prefects are?"

"Take a breath Saffy," Julie said laughing. "There might have been an extra envelope with the parcel I received from Professor Dumbledore...."

"WHAT IS IT?" Saffron shrieked.

"Mum and Dad have the envelope," Julie called out and Saffron nearly sprinted out of her seat.

She nearly bowled Ethan over as she pushed her way into the kitchen. "MUM! DAD! WHERE'S THE ENVELOPE FOR ME?" she hollered

"What envelope would that be?" Harry asked innocently. "Hermione? Do you know what Saffy's talking about?"

"Harry," Hermione shook her head with a grin. "Here you are love."

Saffron eagerly grabbed the envelope and could only stare at it.

"What if I didn't get it?" she asked quietly.

"Oh come on," Harry ruffled her curls. "Like Dumbledore would risk your wrath if he didn't name you?"

With shaking hands, Saffron opened the envelope. Her prefect badge fell into her hands. "I got it! Mum! Dad! I got it!"

"Congratulations sweetheart," Hermione said. "We're so proud of you."

"I did this well?" R.J. was in the hall with Alexa as Saffron burst out jubilantly. "That's better than I thought I'd do--"

"Lex!" Saffron exclaimed. "Look!"

"Congratulations!" Alexa hugged her friend. "I knew you'd get prefect Saffy!"

R.J. stared at Saffron who was trying everything in her power not to look at him.

"I'm going to go call my Grandpa and Grandma," Saffron said. "They're going to be so happy!"

"Okay," Alexa said as Saffron pushed by R.J. and headed downstairs.

"She's a pain in the arse," R.J. said.

"R.J.," Alexa said. "I hate it when the two of you are like this."

"She's impossible Lex." R.J. said flatly. "I was all willing to let bygones be bygones but she just keeps harping on things and blowing them out of proportion. I'm not apologising to her."

Alexa sighed. "What am I going to do with you?"

"You could kiss me again," R.J. suggested. "You did do very well on your marks," she said taking the piece of parchment from him.

"So a congratulations for me is in order right," he said, his arms around her waist.

"I think so," she said giving him a kiss.

"R.J.?" Ron asked coming down the hall. "What's this I hear about..."

"Dad!" R.J. pulled away from Alexa.

"Mr. Weasley," Alexa said wishing she could disappear. "We were just...you know...just..."

Ron grinned. "Those are fantastic marks! Nice going son."

"Pretty good aye,” RJ smirked. “Almost got your marks beat don’t I?”

"Almost, not quite." Ron grinned. "Did you enjoy dinner Alexa?" he asked.

Alexa nodded. "Very much so. You're a very good chef, Mr. Weasley."

"Thank you," Ron grinned. "You didn't happen to bring any of that fantastic fudge now did you?"

"She did," R.J. said laughing. "Remember? You ate it all the first day we were here."

"You mean you didn't bring a secret stash for my son here?" Ron pleaded.

R.J. put his hand over Alexa's mouth. "How about we go and show Mum my results? And did you see? I'm also captain of this year's team."

"That's great," Ron said, momentarily forgetting about the fudge. "This will really impress those scouts!"

R.J. followed his father into the sitting room where Saffron was talking on her mother's mobile phone to her grandparents.

"Luna," Ron said handing his wife the parchment. "Look at our son. These fantastic marks and captain of the house team."

"R.J. that's wonderful," Luna gave her youngest son a hug. "I'm so proud of you!"

"Thanks Mum," R.J. said hugging her back.

"Tryouts should be fun this year eh?" Harry asked teasingly. "Be prepared R.J.. Everyone will suddenly be your best mate."

"I'll keep that in mind Uncle Harry," R.J. grinned. "Perhaps you can give me a few pointers on how you picked your team."

"You made captain?" Saffron asked after she'd clicked off the phone.

"Yeah," R.J. muttered. "As if there was any doubt."

"McGonagall must have bumped her head," Saffron said crossly.

R.J. rolled his eyes. "Whatever," he muttered.

"What did your grandparents have to say about your news?" Alexa asked.

"They were so excited," Saffron's grin returned. "Said there was no doubt that I'd have been a prefect."

"Third one in the family," Harry pointed out. "Julie and Ethan were too. And Julie was Head Girl."

"I had to keep the tradition going," Saffron laughed.

"And there will be another Potter at Hogwarts next term too," Hermione said proudly.

"Jules," R.J. said looking over at Julie. "You took the job, didn't you?"

"Say hello to the newest Defence teacher," Julie grinned at him.

R.J. hugged her. "That's fantastic."

"I'll be able to floo home every night and on weekends," Julie said. "That was a big part in me accepting the job. I didn't want to leave the girls or Nick..."

"We'd have missed Mummy way too much," Ashley agreed from her perch on the sofa. She was tying the ends of her shell necklace together.

"I'd have missed you too love," Julie said smiling at her.

"This is going to be so great," Saffron said. "I'm going to be prefect, my sister is going to be my professor and I'm going to be Seeker for the house team."

R.J. snorted.

"And what's that supposed to---" Saffron began.

"Enough, both of you," Harry said. "I don't want to hear another argument."

"Speaking of not wanting to hear another argument," Julie said. "I think it's time these two young ladies went to sleep."

Katie and Ashley groaned, but both girls had yawned several times over the past half hour.

"Come on, or you'll be too tired for boating and shopping tomorrow," Julie said, a hand on each of their shoulders. "Greta's coming in the morning too so I know you two want to be awake for that."

"Okay," Ashley said getting to her feet. She walked over and gave her grandparents a hug good night.

"Night sweetheart," Hermione kissed her granddaughter's cheek.

"Good night," Ashley said. "Love you."

"Love you too girls," Harry hugged both of them and they headed upstairs.

"Mads and I are going for a walk," Ethan poked his head in.

"You might want to bring a jumper," Hermione suggested. "It's a little cool outside."

"I'll tell her," Ethan said. "Thanks Mum. See you lot in awhile."

Maddie came downstairs and passed Alexa and Saffron as she did so. Saffron apologised for being so snarky earlier and Maddie gave her a hug and congratulated her on the good news. She found Ethan waiting for her on the deck.

"Ready to go?" she asked.

"Sure," he smiled and reached for her hand. "Have you got a jumper? Mum said it might be cool down by the water."

"Yes," she said slipping back inside to grab her old cardigan.

They headed down to the ocean in a quiet, comfortable silence. "This is nice," he finally said. "This is really what I've been waiting for. Just being alone with you and no one else."

"Kind of hard to be alone with all those people," Maddie said resting her head on his shoulder as they walked. "But I know exactly what you mean."

Ethan tightened his arm around her as they walked. "I'm glad we made up earlier," he said.

"Me too," she said softly. "But something good did come out of it."

"Yeah?" he asked, grinning down at her.

"We got a lot of things out in the open," she said.

"That's true," Ethan mused. "I wish we'd gone about it in a bit of a different way, but yeah, I'm glad that happened."

They walked in silence for a few moments and Maddie looked sideways at him. "So you haven't mentioned these big plans you have for our anniversary.."

Ethan smiled at her. "That would be because it's a surprise, Maddie Molly."

Maddie giggled. "Okay, okay..."

"You'll find out tomorrow night," Ethan stopped and turned to face her. He liked that he didn't have to look down to her, as she was almost as tall as he was. "I want to make it special for you."

"Anything we do is going to be perfect," she said. "I'd be perfectly happy walking on the boardwalk with you eating ice cream cones."

"It's going to be better than that," Ethan said, pulling her close.

"Better than that?" Maddie asked.

"Mmmhmm..." Ethan replied.

Maddie leaned in for a kiss.

Ethan hugged her as she pressed her lips to his, glad that they'd been able to work out their earlier frustrations. He knew things still wouldn't be easy but now that they both knew where they stood, things would be that much better.

"I love you," she said softly.

"I love you too," he replied. "So... so... much." he kissed her as he said the words.

62. Chapter 62

A/N: Well this chapter marks the reappearance of Drew and Darla- we’ve given them a bit of a storyline and we hope you all enjoy seeing them some more! Ethan and Maddie’s big anniversary date is also in here ;)

Also- be sure and check out the Sims page- we’ve updated with some more Sims and the links to the download sites where we get our downloads from. And as always- please review! HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!

"Hey Luna?" Ron called out to his wife. "When did Drew and Darla say they were arriving?" his twin daughters were coming in for a few days and as he hadn't seen them for quite awhile, he was rather looking forward to it.

"Around noon," Luna replied, coming into the kitchen. "I thought you were making lunch, not eating all of it."

"Uh--this sandwich is for you," Ron said sheepishly pushing the plate her way. "Just like you like it."

Luna smiled at him and pecked him on the lips. "You're very sweet."

"Thanks," Ron said beaming at her. "So did Drew say anything about Paul coming with? I saw that last match of his and he seemed a bit off..."

"Not to me she didn't," Luna poured herself a glass of pumpkin juice and got her husband a butterbeer. "But it's been a few weeks since I got an owl from her."

"They're probably just been really busy with planning Frankie's wedding," Ron said taking the butterbeer from her. "Allie said that Frankie is keeping them on their toes."

"I bet she is," Luna smiled. "She's going to be such a beautiful bride. And no one plans a wedding better than our daughters do."

"You didn't do so bad when you planned ours," Ron said grinning at her. "They probably got that from you."

"Maybe," Luna leaned against him. "Want a bite?"

Ron shook his head. "No, I mean I did make that for you and it would be a shame to....well, one small bite, if you don't mind, that is..."

Luna laughed as her husband managed to stuff half her sandwich in his mouth at once. "I hope you made extras for your daughters," she teased.

"I made a club one for Maddie," Ron said pointing to the plate on the counter. "And two turkey on wheat for Drew and Darla. I look out for my girls."

"That you do," Luna looked at him dreamily. "I knew you would make a wonderful father Ron."

"I wasn't always so sure," he said smiling at her. "But falling in love with you was the best decision I ever made. Everything else sort of fell into place from there."

Luna beamed and pressed her lips to his.

"See what we walk in on?" a voice at the door made them break apart. "Told you we should have waited awhile Drew."

"There are my girls!" Ron said turning around and rushing toward Darla. Drew hung back a little and Luna noticed that she looked a little pale.

"Hi sweetheart," Luna said giving her a hug. "We've been waiting for you!"

"Sorry we're a bit late," Drew said. "I sort of slept in."

"We're just so glad you're here," Luna smiled at her daughter. "Look at your hair- it looks so cute!"

"I can't believe she cut it," Darla said. "How many years have she and I looked exactly the same and then one day out of the blue, she comes home with it just like that..."

"It looks gorgeous," Ron said. "Both of you look fantastic."

"Thanks Dad," Darla gave him another hug and then moved towards her mother. "You look great too Mum. You haven't gained a stone!"

"Me and your Aunt Hermione have been going for walks on the beach in the morning," Luna said.

"And they're probably gabbing about me and Harry the whole time," Ron chimed in.

"You'll never know," Luna returned. "Your father made you both a sandwich in case you're hungry girls."

"I'm not very hungry," Drew said pulling her bag across her shoulder. "I think I'll just take a kip before dinner..."

"Sweetheart you just got here," Ron said his brow creasing. "And you look pale- perhaps you should head out onto the beach. Maddie said she'd come in so she can visit with you both."

"I will later," Drew said. "I'm just really tired. Darla and I have been really working ourselves to the bone for Frankie and I think it's finally caught up with me."

"All right," Ron said, still concerned. "I'll set something aside for you in case you're hungry later."

"Thanks Daddy," Drew said giving him a hug. She felt tears welling up in her eyes and she wanted to get upstairs quickly.

As soon as she was gone, Ron looked over at his other daughter. "Is there something going on with her? Is everything okay with her and Paul?"

Darla bit her bottom lip. She'd promised Drew she wouldn't say anything to anyone about what had happened. "I can't really say, Dad."

"But Darla if something's wrong with your sister..." Luna began.

"Mum, it's not my place to tell you," Darla said. "She made me promise. She's not in any trouble, at least not..."

"Darla," Ron said evenly.

"Dad I'm sorry," Darla replied. "But it's really not my place okay?"

"We wouldn't ask you to betray your sister's confidence," Luna said quietly. "I just hope that both you girls realise that you can always come to us."

"I know that," Darla replied. "She knows it too... just promise me no one will hassle her okay?"

"We won't," Luna promised. "Why don't you go put your things away and then come back down for lunch?"

Darla nodded. She wanted to check on Drew anyway. "Same room as before right?"

"Right," Ron replied.

Drew picked up her bag and trudged upstairs. It was pretty quiet and she figured everyone was down on the beach or in town. She knocked gently on the bedroom door. "It's just me, Drew."

"You can come in," Drew said quietly.

Darla opened the door and saw her sister sitting on the window seat.

"Mum and Dad can tell something's wrong," Darla said as she set her bag down on the old twin bed.

"It's rather hard not to," Drew replied in a sardonic tone.

Darla sat down beside her. "I'm glad you didn't stay at home. You've been spending way too much time shut in your room lately."

"Well I'm sorry," Drew got up off the seat. "I just went through one of the worst experiences of my life. All I want is to be alone or to work- it helps me keep my mind off things."

"I'm just trying to help Drew," Darla said gently. "I'm worried about you."

Drew's eyes filled with tears again. "I'm sorry- I don't mean to snap at you Dar. I'm really glad you've been here these past few weeks."

Darla quickly got to her feet and hugged her sister. "I wouldn't be anywhere else, you know that. I just think you should talk to Mum and Dad about this. I wish you'd have let me owl them when you went into hospital..."

"I just didn't want anyone else to know," Drew said. "And then with Paul just breaking things off that way..."

"He's a bloody bastard," Darla said angrily. "He's lucky I didn't strangle him with my bare hands after what he did. Just when you needed him most, he decides to walk away. He's nothing but a coward."

Drew didn't respond, only wiped her eyes with a tissue.

"I promised you I wouldn't tell anyone and I won't," Darla said. "But I wish you'd reconsider telling Mum and Dad."

"Maybe," Drew replied. "I just want to kip right now."

"Okay," Darla said. "Do you want me to stay with you?"

"I don't want to take up all your time," Drew said softly. "I know you were looking forward to spending time with the family."

"I am," Darla said. "But I can't have too much fun if I'm worried about my sister the whole time, can I?"

"You always worry about me," Drew said with a tiny smile.

"Well I am the BIG sister," Darla pointed out. "I have to look out for you."

"By about two minutes," Drew replied. "That's all."

"Two minutes makes a world of difference," Darla said with a grin.

"Will you come wake me up in about a half hour?" Drew asked, moving her own bag off her bed and flopping down on it. "I'd like to see my brothers and sister this afternoon before we all gather for dinner."

"Of course," Darla said. "I'm going to have lunch with Mum and Dad. Then I'll come up here, wake you up and we'll both go down to the beach and see everyone."

"All right," Drew gave her twin another hug. "Thanks Dar. You're the greatest."

"So are you Drew," Darla said hugging her tightly.

When she went back downstairs again, she laughed as she heard the familiar sounds of her three brothers bickering.

"You could chew with your mouth closed," Josh chastised Jon and R.J.. "I don't hold it against him because he's still a kid, but you Jon..."

"He's still a kid too," Darla said coming up behind them.

"Well I'll be," Jon drawled. "If it's not our long forgotten sister, who thinks she's too good for us."

"Not hardly," Darla said giving him a hug. "You can blame your sister-in-law. She's a slave driver."

"Maddie told us Frankie's been keeping you both busy," Josh also gave his sister a hug. "Where's your other half?"

"She's a little knackered," Darla replied, which wasn’t' really a lie. "She wanted to take a kip before we went out on the beach."

"You two just got here," Jon pointed out. "You haven't even gotten to see little Ronnie Jr. in action with his girlfriend yet."

"Shut it Jon," R.J. said throwing a crisp at him.

"Oh so Alexa's here too?" Darla asked winking at her little brother. "Where's she at now?"

"She and the brat went into town to do some shopping with Aunt Hermione," R.J. said.

"The brat?" Darla asked confused.

"R.J. and Saffron have sexual tension," Jon smirked. "They've been at each other's throats since they got here."

R.J. glared at his brother.

"I thought you fancied Alexa," Darla asked.

"I do," R.J. said. "Jon's just being a bloody wanker. Alexa and I are still together and as good as ever. Her best friend just needs to mind her own business."

"I'm still confused," Darla said looking to her father for help.

Ron shook his head. "Don't ask. You're better off not knowing."

"I'll just have to ask Saffy when she gets back," Darla said with a grin helping herself to the sandwich her dad had made for her. "Dad, you are the best. No one can make sandwiches like you."

"No one eats them like Dad either," Josh cracked.

"Maddie gives him a run for his money," Darla said.

"That's right, I do." Maddie smiled as she came in the back door. "Hi Darla!" she hugged her older sister.

"Hiya Maddie," Darla said smiling at her.

"You look great," Maddie replied. "And I know how busy Frankie's been keeping you and Drew. Where's she at?"

"Upstairs kipping," Darla replied looking away from Maddie.

Maddie looked at her sister a moment as a feeling of intense sadness flooded her mind. "What happened to her?" she asked in a whisper. "She's sad about something isn't she?"

Darla frowned. She'd forgotten about Maddie being a seer. "I-I can't say," she said echoing Maddie's tone.

Maddie didn't push her. "If either of you wants to talk..." she offered quietly.

"I know," Darla said smiling at her. "She's just...she's had a rough time recently, Maddie."

"I know," Maddie replied. "I mean... I can just tell."

"You always can," Darla said touching her sister's arm. "Even when we were kids..."

"You look great though," Maddie changed the subject. "Did you know Ethan and I are celebrating our first anniversary today too?"

Darla felt bad. She'd been so preoccupied with what had happened with her sister that she'd not kept up with the rest of her family. "That's great Maddie."

"He's really fantastic," Maddie said with a smile. "He won't tell me what's going on; just that it's a surprise tonight."

"Will Drew and I need to start planning another wedding?" Darla teased.

Maddie turned pink. "No not yet," she said, taking a bite of her own sandwich. "We've only been together a year Darla."

"I know," Darla said. "I was only joking. But you know that Drew and I would love to plan your wedding seeing as both our brothers saw fit to go it alone..."

"Hey!" Jon said defensively. "You were in school when I got married."

"And Liz and I didn't want a fuss," Josh finished.

"Besides," Jon said with a wicked grin. "You might be planning ickle Ronnie's wedding before you do one for Mad Dog."

"Who would marry that wanker?" Saffron asked as she breezed in carrying two shopping bags.

"Any girl," R.J. boasted. "But there's only one I'm after." he grinned as Alexa came in with Hermione behind her.

Saffron rolled her eyes. "Hey Darla! When did you get here?"

"Just a little while ago," Darla gave the younger girl a hug. "Look who's blossomed, Ms. Saffron Grace. You're a right heartbreaker!"

Saffron grinned. "Thanks Dar."

"Thanks Dar," R.J. mimicked.

"Shut up," Saffron gave him a dirty look. "Can't you chew with your bloody mouth closed?"

"Can't you chew with your bloody mouth closed?" R.J. repeated with a wide grin.

"Grow up, honestly," Saffron said, her nose stuck in the air. "Come on Lex, let's go try on our new clothes."

"Maybe she wants to stay here and eat lunch with me," R.J. said. "Since I haven't seen her since breakfast."

"So you see her all the time," Saffron shot back.

"Saffron Grace," Hermione warned. "We talked about this..."

"You can be nicer too R.J.," Ron chastised.

"She started it," R.J. shot back.

"Stop it," Maddie replied. "Both of you are acting like children."

"Are the four of you still going out tonight?" Ron asked.

"Going out?" Harry asked. "What's this about?"

Saffron suddenly became sugary sweet. "Well you see Daddy, Sean and me wanted to go out for dinner tonight, and so did R.J. and Alexa. So we thought you know, since we're teenagers and quite responsible, that we'd go into town for a few hours this evening."

"I wouldn't even go across the street with you," R.J. said callously as he left the kitchen.

"Well you don't have to go!" Saffron hollered back.

"You're not going on a date with some boy all by yourself," Harry said stubbornly. "You're 15 years old, Saffy. And much too young to go on a date alone..."

"Afraid the young bloke in question won't be able to control the monster in his chest?" Ron asked nudging Harry.

"What the hell are you talking about?" Harry asked, raising his eyebrow at his friend as Hermione turned away to hide her laughter.

"I read this book once where this bloke said that was how he felt when he looked at this girl," Ron explained.

"I don't know what's more amazing," Harry said. "You reading a book or somebody actually saying that..."

"Shut up," Ron said, stuffing a biscuit in his mouth.

"Can we please get back to the question at hand," Saffron asked pleadingly.

"I don't know about this," Harry said. "I know I told you I'd be lenient, but I think you're too young to be dating some bloke your mum and I barely know."

"She'll be with R.J. and Alexa," Hermione said. "And Sean seems like a nice boy. We ran into him and his parents this morning while we were shopping, Harry."

"R.J. just said he didn't want to go," Harry pointed out.

"Alexa can get him to change his mind," Saffron said. She didn't look forward to spending the evening in R.J.'s company and she knew the feeling was mutual, but if he had to be there for her to see Sean, well she was prepared to deal with that.

Harry looked at Hermione for a moment. "All right," he relented. "ONLY, only if you four stick together. I don't want you going off alone Saffron."

Saffron grinned and hugged her father. "Thank you Daddy! You are the best!"

Harry shook his head. "You're growing up too fast for me." he smiled at his daughter.

"You're still taking me out on the boat later though right?" Saffron asked. "You promised."

"Sure, sure." Harry replied. "If you're not too busy for your old man."

"Never too busy for you Daddy," Saffron said kissing him on the cheek. "Mum, you're coming too right?"

"Of course sweetheart." Hermione smiled at her daughter.

"Great," Saffron said. "I'll just go and put my things away and then we can go."

Harry chuckled. "All right."

Ron shook his head. "Those two are pretty vicious with each other," he said, crumpling an empty crisps bag in his hand.

"It's just a phase," Luna said. "I'm sure they'll make up soon. They always do."

"I feel sorry for Alexa," Hermione said quietly. "She's rather caught in the middle of all that. I'm sure it's not what she had in mind when she agreed to come on holiday with us."

"We should have warned her that we're not exactly known for peace and quiet on our holidays," Harry said with a laugh.

"Well that and I think she's happy to spend time with R.J.," Luna said. "She's really a delightful girl."

"Maybe Ronnie Junior's wedding will be the next one Drew and I plan," Darla said laughing.

Drew had heard the footsteps past her door and heard Saffron talking with someone. Hopefully the commotion downstairs had calmed down. She quickly changed into her swimming costume and threw on a cover-up before going downstairs.

"Drew," Luna caught sight of her daughter in the hall. "I'm glad you're up sweetheart."

"Hi Mum," Drew said quietly. "I couldn't really sleep."

"Were we too loud?" Luna tucked a strand of hair behind her daughter's ear. "I'm really worried about you darling."

"I'm fine really," Drew lied forcing a smile.

Harry and Hermione excused themselves to get ready to take Saffron out on the boat.

"You know you can tell me and your father anything right?" Luna asked. "Drew we love you so much. If something's wrong, we want to know if we can help you." she reached for her daughter's hand and squeezed it.

Drew felt tears welling up in her eyes again and for a moment she though about telling her mother all about what had happened. She'd just opened her mouth when Lizzy and Josh came in the back door.

"Josh," Lizzy said laughing. "You are hovering again."

"Well you've only got a month left," Josh objected. "I want to make sure you don't need me for anything."

Drew's eyes fell on her sister-in-law. Lizzy was expecting. In less than a month, she'd have three babies. Drew let go of her mother's hand.

"I'm...I'm sorry," she said shakily. "I can't..."

"Drew," Luna pleaded. "Please don't push us away."

"I'm not feeling well," Drew said standing up. "I'll be upstairs..."

Darla watched her twin sister run back up to their room and she followed suit. "Drew," she said, closing the door behind them. "Why are you running away again?"

"I shouldn't have come," Drew said picking up her bag. "I should have stayed home, Darla."

"No you shouldn't have," Darla argued. "Drew you need to be around family. This isn't good for you to isolate yourself!"

"I forgot about Lizzy," Drew said with a hollow laugh. "She's having triplets, Dar. And what about me? I've lost everything."

"You have not," Darla took her twin's hands in her own. "You'll always have me Drew. I don’t' care if I get married and move a million miles away, I'll be there whenever you need me. And Mum and Dad are the same way! Maddie... she must have... seen something because she knew you were upset without me even saying a word about you."

"Do you think she saw what happened?" Drew asked horrified.

"She didn't tell me," Darla said softly. "But would that be so bad? You'd feel better if you talked about this Drew."

"And tell them what?" Drew asked. "You know how crazy Dad was about Paul. And they'd be so hurt if they knew what had happened. That I...I can't, Dar."

"They wouldn't blame you," Darla said firmly. "Dad may have liked Paul but you're his daughter. His loyalty is to you. And about the baby--"

"Don't!" Drew interjected. "Don't..."

"Drew you have to tell them," Darla said. "I'll stay in there with you if you want me to. But they should know."

"They'll be so disappointed Darla," Drew protested. "And hurt."

"But not in you," Darla replied. "Hurt yes but they won't be angry with you."

There was a gentle knock on the door. "Drew, sweetheart? It's us. Please let us in."

Drew turned even paler and sat down on the bed as Darla opened the door for their parents.

Ron walked over and sat down beside his daughter.

"Drew," he said softly putting his arms around her. "Come here my sweet girl."

Drew felt her father embrace her and this time she couldn't hide her tears. She began to sob harshly into his shoulder.

Luna sat down on her daughter's other side and watched as her husband held their daughter letting her cry. Tears welled up in Luna's eyes as she could feel the pain her daughter was going through.

"What is it Drew?" Ron asked gently. "What's wrong?"

"Tell them Drew," Darla said softly, taking her twin's hand as she sat in front of them.

Drew nodded solemnly. "I don't know where to begin."

"Wherever you want sweetheart," Luna said.

Drew looked thoughtfully at her mother. "Promise me that you won't be mad? I never meant to hurt you or disappoint you Mum."

"You could never do either Drew," Luna said, wiping at her eyes.

"Paul and I," Drew began. "Paul and I---we aren't together anymore."

"What happened?" Ron asked gently.

Drew took a deep breath before continuing. "Three months ago, I found out I was..."

Luna and Ron waited for her to continue.

"She found out she was pregnant," Darla finished when she saw her twin wasn't going to continue.

"Pregnant?" Luna asked taken aback. "But you never..."

"We were both happy about it," Drew continued knowing she had to get this out now or she'd never be able to do it. "At least I thought we were. He was really distant. I think he thought I was trying to tie him down or something. But I wouldn't do something like that. I was surprised as he was and I wanted him to be just as happy as I was about this news."

"Your mother and I would never be disappointed in you getting pregnant without being married first," Ron began but Drew shook her head.

"I know Daddy," Drew said. "But that's not why I'm upset. I was almost two months along when I started bleeding. The healer told me it was normal but I couldn't shake the feeling that something was wrong. It got worse and one morning I woke up in incredible pain. If Darla hadn't been there..."

Darla squeezed her twin's hand as tears came to her own eyes. She'd never been so horrified as she had the day she'd had to rush Drew to the hospital and she had never in her life seen so much blood.

"The healer said it wasn't my fault," Drew said quietly. "But I couldn't help thinking that I could have done something to prevent it."

"Where was....where was Paul when this was happening?" Ron asked.

Drew shrugged. "Gone... I haven't heard from him in about five months now."

"And you're better off," Darla said. "Good riddance to bad rubbish."

Ron felt angry as he thought about his poor little girl sitting in a hospital room scared to death and alone.

"He didn't come and check on you? He left you there..."

"Darla stayed with me," Drew said softly. "But... I lost the baby." she closed her eyes as she remembered that moment the healers had told her the infant was gone.

Luna hugged her daughter. "Oh sweetheart. I wish you would have told us."

"I didn't want you to be ashamed," Drew whispered.

Luna cupped Drew's face in her hands. "We could never be ashamed of you. And you did nothing wrong, Drew."

"But I lost my baby," Drew whimpered.

"That wasn't your fault," Luna told her.

"It's that bloody Paul's fault," Ron said angrily. "You wait until I get my hands on him. I'll wring his rotten neck."

"He's not worth it Dad," Drew said. "Believe me- I hate it that things ended the way they did but let him be a wanker with some other girl."

"Well I'm never pulling for the Cannons again until they chuck the bastard," Ron said stubbornly.

Drew managed a shaky smile at her parents. "I'm sorry," she said. "I just didn't want to burden anyone. Darla's been amazing for me ever since this happened."

"You're not a burden," Ron said putting an arm around her. "I've missed you girls so much these last few weeks."

"We've missed you too," Darla said. "After Frankie's wedding we were hoping to perhaps come home and spend a few weeks there with you guys."

"We'd love that," Luna said looking to her husband who nodded.

"I remember a little girl who used to beg me to let her move back to London," Ron said softly pulling Drew closer.

Drew smiled. "Times have changed so much." she said as Ron kissed her forehead.

"Not so much," Ron said softly.

"Your brothers and Maddie are worried too," Luna said. "But if you don't want them to know, you don't have to tell them."

"I probably will," Drew said. "I feel better now that I told you guys."

"You just remember that you have us," Luna said squeezing her hand. "All of us."

Drew nodded. "I think I'm ready to go down now." she said.

"You sure?" Luna asked.

Drew nodded. "Yeah... I'd like to get out on the beach." she smiled at her twin. "Someone told me a few weeks ago I needed to start living again."

"Welcome back to the zoo," Darla said relieved to see her sister smiling again.

"Believe it or not, I didn't eat your sandwich," Ron teased his daughter. "It's still down there if you're hungry."

"I'm starving," Drew admitted.

"That's my girl," Ron hugged her.

*** *** ***

Maddie's mind was still very much on her older sister as she started to get ready for her date with Ethan. That afternoon Drew had sat down with her family and told them what had happened to her and the baby she'd lost. By the time she'd finished, there wasn't a dry eye among the Weasley family. All three of her brothers had vowed to never pull for the Cannons again and started thinking of ways to make Paul pay for hurting their sister.

Maddie had wanted to talk to her sister privately to see if there was anything she could do, but after the family talk, Drew and Darla left for a walk on the beach.

Her sisters had offered to let her use their room so she could get dressed in private and now Maddie sat down at the dressing table, going through her little bag of makeup she'd brought with her.

"I'd use the peach blusher," Drew said from the door. "And with a dress like that I'd pull my hair up."

Maddie looked up and smiled. "You think so?"

"Yeah," Drew gave her a small smile in return. "Need any help?"

"Yes please," Maddie said. "If you're up for it..."

"Sure," Drew said, closing the door behind them. "So you and Ethan have been together a year... I think that's great Mads."

Maddie smiled but immediately felt guilty for doing so. "Maybe I shouldn't go out tonight. You need me and I shouldn't..."

"Nonsense," Drew said. "Tonight is your night Maddie. This is big for you- we all know how long you were after Ethan and now you've got him."

"Yes, but Ethan and I could put this off for another night," Maddie argued. "I wouldn't feel right going out with all that's happened."

"We'll have plenty of time to catch up," Drew sat her down and began combing her sister's long hair. "I want you to have a good time tonight."

"Okay," Maddie said reluctantly. She sat in silence while Drew continued to comb her hair.

"I can't believe how brave you were," Maddie said finally looking at her sister in the mirror. "And strong."

"I didn't feel so much that way," Drew replied quietly. "Especially not when they told me. Sometimes I still feel empty you know?"

"I'm just really glad you had Darla," Maddie said softly.

"Me too," Drew agreed. "She's really great. She's my best friend in the world."

Maddie smiled. Her twin sisters had always been close and even had the habit of finishing each other's sentences. As a little girl, she'd felt a little jealous about not having that same closeness, but as she'd grown up her two sisters had included her whenever they could. She still felt guilty that she hadn't foreseen what had happened.

"So has Ethan told you anything at all about tonight?" Drew asked, wanting to change the subject.

"No," Maddie said with mock indignation. "The little bugger won't even give me a hint."

Drew smiled. "If he's anything like his dad I'm sure it'll be incredibly romantic."

"He's been right smug all afternoon about it," Maddie said.

"I'm sure you'll be going to town," Drew said, using her wand to twist her sister's hair up.

"I think so," Maddie said and then nearly jumped out of her skin when she heard the sound of door slam and they both heard Saffron yell something as she walked back to her own bedroom.

"That didn't sound good," Drew said with a laugh.

"She and R.J. have been arguing about something or other since they got here," Maddie rolled her eyes. "I love them both but honestly- they're acting younger than Ashley and Katie."

"On my way up here," Drew said. "I heard her trying to get him to go out with her and that bloke a few houses down. And he wasn't talking to her and poor Alexa was having to go back and forth and I think even she was getting fed up with it."

"I don't blame her," Maddie replied as she touched some gloss to her lips. "I'd be right annoyed with the both of them."

"Reminds me of those horrible rows that Jon and Josh used to have when we were all kids," Drew said shaking her head. "Do you remember that time that Jon was convinced Josh had taken his broom? And Jon wasn't talking to Josh and so had me and Darla running subterfuge?"

"Barely," Maddie giggled.

Drew laughed. "You were around two at the time. I guess you wouldn't really remember. They fought all the time. Still do."

"Tell me about it," Maddie replied. "That was the nice thing about you and Dar. The two of you never really had any rivalry."

"We never really have," Drew said. She finished with Maddie's hair. "What do you think, Miss Madeline?"

"That looks lovely," Maddie said, peering in the mirror. "Thank you Drew." she hugged her sister.

"You look lovely," Drew said giving her a hug. "And you promise me you won't think about me at all tonight."

"I promise to have a good time," Maddie replied. "Ethan and I always have fun together."

"And you come and wake Darla and me up when you get back and tell us all the details," Drew said giving her one last hug.

Maddie laughed. "What if we don't come back until four in the morning?" she teased. "Shall I come in here and jump on your bed?"

"Yes," Drew said laughing. "If you don't, I'll never speak to you again Maddie."

"All right," Maddie giggled. "And if I don't, I promise to give you details at breakfast."

"Happy Anniversary Mads," Drew said giving her sister one more hug.

"Thank you," Maddie replied. "And tomorrow, maybe you, me, Dar and Mum should do something together."

"I'd like that," Drew said. "If you're not too tired that is."

Maddie laughed and grabbed her bag before heading downstairs to meet Ethan. He was sitting on the sofa with his back to her. A smile spread across her face as she came up behind him.

"Happy Anniversary," she said tapping him on the shoulder.

"Hey!" he grinned. "Mads you look gorgeous!" he gave her a kiss.

"Frankie helped me pick out the dress before we came here," Maddie admitted. "And Drew did my hair. But look at you...I always love it when you wear a suit."

Ethan handed her a red rose. "Had to clean up well for my girl." he replied.

"Thanks," she said happily. "Are we ready to go?"

"I'm ready if you are." he said. "I know you're really just dying to hear what we're doing tonight."

"I'm ready," Maddie said eagerly.

"Great," Ethan helped her drape a light shawl over her shoulders and they headed out. "I thought we'd start at a restaurant in town and have a nice dinner." he said, taking her hand.

"Will you let me eat some of the things off your plate?" she asked pulling her sweetest face. "It is our anniversary..."

Ethan laughed. "I suppose I could let you nibble, but only if you promise to return the favour later on."

"I think that could be arranged," she said squeezing his hand.

They arrived at the restaurant and they were seated quickly. "Did you want some sparkling wine or did you want to risk champagne tonight?" Ethan asked.

"I think I'll risk it with some champagne," she said with a wink. "We are celebrating."

"Right," Ethan ordered some and the two of them perused the menus. "Order anything Mads. Sky's the limit tonight."

Maddie looked at her choices. There was something on the menu that she'd never ordered before, but it was quite expensive. "I think I might try the lobster if that's okay."

"Anything you want," Ethan repeated. "This is a really special night Mads."

Maddie grinned over her menu at her boyfriend. She couldn't agree more. "So what about you? What do you think you'll be getting?"

"I'm not sure yet," Ethan replied. "The chicken parmesan sounds fantastic. We could split some calamari too if you want."

"I've never had calamari before," Maddie said.

"You know what it is right?" Ethan asked.

"Squid?" Maddie asked.

"Right," Ethan said. "Believe it or not, it's actually quite good."

"Reminds me of the Giant Squid at Hogwarts," Maddie said giggling.

Ethan snorted. "All right... maybe calamari isn't the best thing to order.”

"It's okay," Maddie said. "It's not like you asked for Cornish Game Hen. That would make me think of Dolly..."

Ethan laughed. "I remember that night."

"That wasn't half as bad as the time my dad went to the States and came back with all these sweets for me," Maddie said. "And there's actually this candy called pixie sticks in America. I cried for nearly two days when I thought someone had ground up poor pixies like Dolly just to make sweets..."

Ethan was laughing so hard he had tears in his eyes. "Mads you are too much!"

"I was just very sensitive about those things," Maddie said laughing.

"Right," Ethan chuckled. The waiter delivered their champagne and they ordered their meals then sat back. "All right, here's one of your surprises for this evening..."

"One of them?" she asked in surprise. "Ethan..."

He pulled a small box out of his pocket that contained the sapphire earrings he'd bought for her. "Happy anniversary," he said softly.

Maddie opened the box and gasped. "Ethan, they're beautiful!"

"They match your eyes," he said.

"Thank you," she said softly.

"I told you I wanted to make you happy," Ethan reached for her hand. "I know we hit a bit of a rough spot over the past few weeks but now we can just concentrate on us."

"I know," she said. "I never want anything to come between us."

"I don't either," Ethan squeezed her fingers.

Maddie smiled. "It's hard to believe that we began over a year ago, isn't it? Officially, I mean."

"I know," Ethan agreed. "And I'm really glad we moved in together. I can't believe it's been almost six months since we did that."

"Time really does go by fast, doesn't it?" Maddie said before taking another sip of her champagne.

"Sure does," Ethan agreed.

Dinner went by quickly, and they were both feeling a bit light headed from the champagne they had consumed. "Ready for your next surprise?" Ethan asked, his arms around her as they left.

"Of course," Maddie replied. "What is it? What is it? What is it?"

Ethan laughed. "We have to go back by the house," he replied.

"We're not chaperoning R.J.'s double date are we?" Maddie said giggling.

"Hell no," Ethan snorted. "It's just you and me tonight Maddie Molly. No interruptions will be tolerated." he grinned at her.

"I like the sound of that," she said giving him a kiss.

He kept his lips pressed to hers. "I love you," he murmured when they broke apart.

"Love you too Ethan James," she whispered.

"Come on Maddie Molly," he said once they'd arrived home. "It's over this way..."

Maddie was feeling so happy and light-headed as she allowed Ethan to lead her along the way. "Ethan? What have you done for me now?"

"Surprise," he whispered into her ear as they came into that same clearing where they'd laid when he first told her he loved her. Now there was a blanket set up in the middle and a few candles floating right around the edges.

"I know you're probably not really wanting more champagne, but it's a smaller bottle." Ethan said.

Maddie hugged him tightly. "You are the greatest. Do you know that? I just can't believe how incredibly lucky I am to have you."

Ethan grinned. "I'm lucky to have you too Mads."

They couldn't have asked for a more perfect night. Maddie sat down on the blanket and watched as Ethan poured them both a glass of champagne.

"Thanks," she said softly when he handed her a glass. "What should we toast to?"

"I can think of one thing," Ethan replied. "To us... may we have many, many more nights like this..."

"And may our friends and family be happy and safe," Maddie said thinking of Drew.

"Right, and to hell with the rest of them right?" Ethan teased, brushing his glass against hers.

"I was being serious you prat," she said with a mock glare.

"So am I," Ethan leaned in to kiss her.

Maddie smiled as she closed the distance between them and pressed her lips to his.

The champagne was quickly forgotten as their kisses heated up. Ethan remembered her words from a few days before and was careful about where he was letting his hands wander.

Maddie fought off the instinct to tell him to stop. She'd told him she would trust him to know when to stop and she intended to keep that promise.

"Is this okay?" he asked softly, seemingly able to read her mind. "If this starts scaring you--"

"It's perfect," she said looking into his eyes. "I trust you."

He could tell she meant that. "Okay," he whispered.

Maddie didn't know if it was the champagne which was helping her relax more or the fact that she had finally spoken to Ethan about her fears, but she did know that being with him felt right and she wanted to be as close to him as possible.

He began to let his hand creep up her chest, his fingers itching to touch her skin. "I want you so bad..." he murmured in her ear before moving his lips down her neck, suckling lightly.

Maddie shivered, but didn't say anything. She knew exactly how he felt. She was thinking the exact same thing.

He was glad her dress was a two piece as it enabled him to slide his hand up and stroke her soft, warm skin.

Maddie's breath caught in her throat as his hands explored her skin.

"I can't even begin to tell you how amazing you feel," Ethan's breath was hot against her cheek.

"Come here," she whispered. "Kiss me..."

Ethan did as she asked, pressing his lips back to hers with a new urgency. He took her hand with his and placed it on his chest, guiding her palm over his abdomen.

"W-what are you doing?" she asked softly.

"How does this feel?" he asked her.

"Nice," she answered truthfully.

Ethan grinned at her. "Just nice?"

Maddie giggled. "Better than nice. Give me a break, it's a little hard to think straight at the moment."

Ethan laughed too. "You a bit pissed?"

"A little," she admitted. "But I think it's more to do with you and what you're doing to me."

"Okay," Ethan said. "That's... good to hear." he leaned in and kissed her again.

"I love you so much," she whispered as he kissed his way from her mouth to her neck to her shoulders.

"I love you too," he said softly, peeling back her strap to kiss her shoulders. His left hand went back under her top to touch her skin, and this time he moved his fingers up to brush against her breasts.

Instinctively, Maddie arched against him.

He sucked in a breath as her arms wound around his neck, keeping him close. "Oh God Mads..." he whispered.

"I love you," she whispered against his skin.

This time he couldn't answer her as she began to move his hands back up under her top. "Can I touch you?" he wasn't sure at first if he'd uttered the words aloud.

"You already are," Maddie said but then she realised what he really meant. "Oh...."

"If it's too uncomfortable for you I understand," Ethan said, looking right into her eyes.

Maddie looked thoughtfully up at him. "I-I'd like you to."

A smile spread across his face as she reached down and slowly pulled up on her top.

"I am a little scared," she admitted. "But not of you, Ethan. Never of you."

He nodded. "I'm glad," he replied stroking her hair off her forehead. He helped her pull the top off and he kept his eyes on hers as his hands caressed her.

"Ethan," she breathed.

"Still okay?" he asked, his fingers touching the clasp of her bra.

"Still okay," Maddie replied without hesitation.

Ethan kissed her again, even more passionately than before. He could feel her heart beating rapidly as he moved his lips down again, this time kissing the valley between her breasts.

Maddie closed her eyes and felt her doubts and fears fading away. He wouldn't hurt her or push her to do anything she didn't want to do. And it made her love him even more than she already did.

He took her little moans as a means to continue, and his fingers fumbled just a bit with her clasp.

"Yes," Maddie managed to say.

Ethan peeled the bra back and immediately moved his mouth over her breast, flicking his tongue to make her gasp.

Maddie bit her bottom lip to keep from screaming out his name.

"Mads," he grunted as he kissed her again.

"Hmm?" she asked.

"You... are... amazing..." he breathed.

"I feel the same way about you," she said cuddling up close to him as the wind nipped at her skin. "So happy, so loved, so safe."

"Good," he said, kissing her other breast.

Maddie whimpered and buried her face in his shoulder.

Ethan kissed and stroked her as his hands moved down, almost unknowingly back between her legs.

Maddie knew exactly where his hands were going. She locked eyes with him and gave a slight nod to let him know that this too was okay.

"Okay," he whispered, sliding his fingers into her.

"Ethan," she gasped.

"I want you to know what this is like," he said.

"It's...mmm," Maddie said. "Amazing."

He stroked her even harder, his mouth and fingers teasing her body until she stiffened and clenched around him.

"I didn't know I could feel like this," she whispered.

"It's pretty..." Ethan almost felt as dizzy as she did that he was able to bring her to feel so good.

"Fantastic," Maddie said smiling up at him.

Ethan kissed her gently, stroking her hair that had fallen out of her twist. "I love you," he said.

"I love you," she whispered. "Happy Anniversary."

"Happy Anniversary," he echoed.

63. Chapter 63

A/N: Thanks again to those of you who took the time to review last chapter- your thoughts and comments really do mean a lot to us!

This chapter is another fun one –it’s got the date with the four teens, some Weasley bonding time, and some Frankie/Will goodness as well ;) As always, we hope that you’ll take a few seconds after reading to leave a comment or two! Thanks!

It had taken all of Alexa's powers of persuasion to get R.J. to go out that night so that Saffron could see Sean. Now they were all sitting at a round table in a pizza pub, deciding what they wanted to eat.

"So what do you like on your pizza?" Sean asked looking at Saffron.

"Pretty much anything except pineapple," Saffron smiled at him.

Alexa squeezed R.J.'s hand as they shared a menu. She was proud of him for keeping quiet most of the walk to the pub and for not making any snide comments. She just hoped it would stay that way.

"We could get a pizza with half of what you like and half of what I like," Sean suggested to Saffron. "I'm thinking about pepperoni and mushrooms."

"Sure that sounds good," Saffron agreed. "What are you guys getting?" she had promised Alexa that she would be nice to R.J. that evening, but it didn't mean she had to talk directly to him.

"Want to get our usual?" Alexa asked looking at R.J..

"Sure," he replied. "Extra large- I'm hungry."

"You're always hungry," she teased.

"I'm a Weasley," he grinned at her and leaned in to peck her on the lips.

"Do you know anything about Quidditch?" Saffron asked Sean. "I mean has that thing you call a cousin ever talked about it?"

"No," Sean shook his head. "I mean, she said that you played it," he looked at R.J.. "But I really don't know anything about the sport itself. Sounds pretty interesting though."

Saffron, who had no idea what R.J. had learned from Drew earlier this afternoon, smiled. "My uncle Ron's daughter Drew dates a player. We could see if they could get us tickets..."

"No," R.J. said quickly.

Saffron glared at him across the table. "Your name isn't Ron or Drew and Paul's always been nice to me. If he wanted to give me tickets, he would."

"He's not as nice as you think he is," R.J. retorted.

Saffron shook her head. "Is he not a member of your fan club or something? Contrary to popular belief Ronnie Junior, you aren't God's gift to Quidditch."

"Saffy," Alexa said softly. "Couldn't you get tickets like your brother did, from that one girl you guys know who works for Puddlemere?"

Saffron smiled triumphantly at her friend. "Yes I could! They're having a much better year than the Cannons anyway."

R.J. sent a look of gratitude to his girlfriend. "Come on, we'll go up to the bar and order," he said, squeezing her hand.

"We'll place your order too," Alexa told Sean and Saffron. "Would you two like sodas?"

"That sounds good," Saffron agreed, glad to spend at least a few minutes alone with Sean.

Alexa followed R.J. up to the bar and they waited for someone to wait on them. She knew he'd been a little preoccupied all afternoon since he'd spent most of it with his family.

"Is everything okay?" she asked. "You've looked a little sad today."

"I'm okay," he said, wondering if he should tell her what had happened to Drew. "Just... I've got a lot on my mind."

"Saffy's going to come around," Alexa said reassuringly, thinking that was what had him so preoccupied.

"It's more than that..." R.J. said. "It's something that involves my sister... I want to tell you but I don't know if she wants anyone to know outside the family and--"

"You don't have to tell me if you don't want to," she interjected. "That was between your family and it's not really..."

"Maybe later?" he asked. "I was hoping to get you alone and I don't mean here at the counter."

"I was hoping you'd say that," she said winking at him.

"And much as I hate doing any favours for her," R.J. looked back and saw Saffron and Sean in a lip lock back in the booth. "I know she wants to be alone with him without her dad knowing."

"We could get our own table," Alexa suggested.

"It's okay," R.J. replied as he told the man behind the counter what they wanted. "I'll suffer through it."

Alexa grinned and she and R.J. took the sodas back to the table.

"They'll bring the pizzas out when they're ready," Alexa said handing Saffron and Sean their sodas.

"Great," Saffron said as she pulled away from Sean. "You didn't spit in mine did you?" she frowned at R.J..

"I'd sure like to," R.J. glared right back at her. "Look let's just call a truce for the night okay?"

"I'm not the one acting all immature," Saffron shot back.

Alexa sighed. "I love you both, but you're seriously starting to get on my nerves. Can you please just be civil to each other for one night?"

"I offered to," R.J. said. "She's being the bitch here."

"Excuse me?" Saffron asked.

"Mate, that's a bit uncalled for," Sean said in Saffron's defence.

"You know, I think R.J. and I will just get our own table," Alexa cut in hastily.

"Happy now?" Saffron asked R.J.. "You've taken my best friend and made her one of your fans. You insult me and she goes off with you."

"Saffy..." Alexa said quickly. "You know that's not true..."

"Whatever," Saffron said. "Come on Sean, we'll have more fun on our own." she took his hand and dragged him to another table across the pub.

"Have fun explaining to your father why you showed up at home without us," R.J. called after her.

Alexa sat down and put her face in her hands. "Why do you two always have to fight?" she asked. "I hate being in the middle like this! And she promised me she'd be nice tonight!"

R.J. sat down beside her. "Hey, Lexie? I'm sorry. I knew this wasn't a good idea."

"It's okay R.J.," Alexa said. "I don't want to ruin our holiday together."

"You couldn't," he said squeezing her hand. "Hey? Have I told you how beautiful you look tonight? Hmm? Did you buy this today?" he asked fingering the material of her dress.

"Yeah," she said shyly. "Saffy told me it made my hair colour stand out."

"Though it pains me to admit it," R.J. said with a grin. "She was right. You look amazing, Lex."

"Thank you," Alexa said softly. "I like when you wear light blue R.J.." he was wearing jeans and a shirt he had buttoned up and rolled his sleeves back a bit so they were halfway up his forearms.

"You do?" R.J. asked playing with the strap of her dress.

"Mmmhmm..." Alexa agreed, leaning closer to him.

"Which one of you is the pepperoni and mushroom?" a gruff voice said from behind them. R.J. groaned and reluctantly pulled away from his girlfriend.

"That would be the brat in the purple back there," he said motioning over his shoulder. "We'd be the extra cheese and extra pepperoni."

The pizza was plonked down unceremoniously in front of them as the man headed towards Sean and Saffron's booth with the other pie.

"She hates me now too," Alexa said morosely. "I hate it when we fight."

"She doesn't hate you," R.J. reassured her. "She's just a pissy brat."

"She knows how to hold a grudge," Alexa said shaking her head. "I can't win. If I go after you, she gets mad. If I go after her, you get mad."

"I'm not mad at you," R.J. said as he pulled a slice of cheesy pizza out of the pie. "I won't get mad at you if you go after her either."

Alexa smiled at both his words and the fact that he offered her the first piece of pizza. "I love you."

"I love you too Lexie," R.J. kissed her. "I don't like it that you're upset."

"I felt the same way when I saw you this afternoon," she said softly. "I wish I could do something to make you feel better."

"You're here with me," R.J. said. "This is all I need right now."

"Me too," Alexa said leaning in for another kiss.

From their own booth, Saffron tried to forget about her traitorous best friend and R.J.. If the two of them were going to act like that, they deserved each other. Besides, she'd wanted to be alone with Sean anyway. She smiled as Sean handed her a slice.

"So," she said finishing the story she'd started to tell him before the waiter arrived with their pizza. "I was around six when my dad first took me out with him and Grandpa..."

"And you actually beat both of them?" Sean asked with a laugh.

"I think Grandpa might have let me win," Saffron said. "But my dad was completely gob smacked. He made me promise not to tell Ethan or Uncle Ron."

Sean laughed. "So then for Christmas your grandfather got you professional clubs?"

"Yes," Saffron said. "I wish I'd brought them with me."

"Well," Sean began. "When we both go back to London we could get together to play sometime... if you want. You know, before you go back to school."

"I'd love that," Saffron said grinning at him. "And I can't wait for you to meet my Grandpa. I think you'll hit it off."

Sean smiled back at her. "It sounds like fun."

"So it was nice running into you this morning," Saffron said. "Even your dad. You managed to get him away from the computer and his mobile, eh?"

"Yeah, for an hour to jog down the beach," Sean laughed. "He's terrible really."

"So are you going to be like that when you grow up?" Saffron asked.

"If that's the case, I hope I never grow up," Sean joked. "I actually want to get into music."

"You do?" Saffron asked interestedly. "Singing? Playing an instrument? Or do you want to do something behind the scenes?"

"A little of everything," Sean replied.

"You should talk to my brother-in-law," Saffron said. "He's a really talented musician and singer."

"Really? In... your world? The Wizarding world?" Sean asked, pulling another slice of pizza towards him.

Saffron nodded. "He's thought about crossing over, but I think he likes the anonymity he has when he ventures out into the Muggle world."

"What's his name?" Sean asked interestedly.

"Nick Malfoy," Saffron replied.

"I think my cousin fancies him," Sean grinned. "She'll freak when I tell her I met him."

"She'll probably freak when she finds out you spent most of your holiday with me," Saffron said laughing.

"And I can't wait to tell her about that," Sean leaned in. "And I can't wait to tell her what a great kisser you are..."

"That would probably kill her," Saffron grinned wickedly.

"And I think it'll kill me if I don't kiss you right now," Sean flirted.

"I wouldn't want that on my hands now would I?" Saffron asked leaning in.

Sean pressed his lips to hers gently, running his hands through her hair.

Nearly an hour later, R.J. and Alexa were about to walk out of the restaurant.

"I don't really want to," Saffron said reluctantly. "But we should walk back with them. My dad would ground me if I came back alone."

"Okay," Sean squeezed her hand. "Hey guys wait up!" he called after them.

If it wasn't for Alexa, R.J. would have left both of them and let Saffron deal with the consequences. He slowed his pace and put an arm around Alexa.

"Thank you," she whispered, kissing his cheek. "How was your pizza?" she asked conversationally, trying to pretend as if everything was okay as Saffron and Sean came up alongside them.

When Saffron didn't answer, Sean smiled at Alexa. "It was really good. Best I've had in quite some time."

"Good," Alexa said, wishing her friend would stop acting this way.

Sean decided to give the two girls the chance to talk and he walked ahead with R.J. asking the other boy to explain the ins and outs of Quidditch something R.J. was only too happy to talk about.

"You're mad at me, aren't you?" Alexa asked looking sideways at her best friend.

Saffron shrugged in reply.

"Don't be like this," Alexa said. "Come on Saffy. We had a really good time this morning when we went shopping."

"Until you came back and you were all over R.J.," Saffron replied.

"You went sailing with your parents," Alexa argued. "And I wasn't all over R.J.. He spent most of the afternoon with his own family, Saffy."

"I guess I am being kind of a brat tonight," Saffron said grudgingly after a few moments to let Alexa's words sink in.

"You guess?" Alexa teased nudging her friend.

"All right," Saffron smiled at her. "I guess I really can't be angry at you Lex. R.J.'s your boyfriend, prat that he is."

"And you've been a little preoccupied yourself," Alexa pointed out motioning to Sean.

"He's pretty dreamy isn't he?" Saffron asked.

Alexa giggled. "If you like Muggle boys.."

Saffron bumped Alexa's shoulder. "So he's not redheaded and he's Muggle. He's still an excellent kisser, at least in my opinion."

"If you end up married to him, Christina Grant would be a member of your family," Alexa teased bumping her right back.

"Sod off," Saffron said and began to laugh. "Could you imagine the look on her face though?"

"Oh my God!" Alexa said in a near perfect imitation of Christina. "First Junior and then that horrible little tart Saffron Potter. This is so unfair!"

Sean spun around, his face nearly contorted in terror. "Don't do that without warning!" he pleaded.

"What are you going to do about it?" Saffron asked running ahead of him and beckoning him to run after her.

R.J. rejoined Alexa. "So you two make up?"

"Yeah," Alexa said. "Now we just have to have you two bury the hatchet--"

"Don't hold your breath," R.J. said tickling her side. "But I do promise to be somewhat civil for your sake, Miss O'Leary."

"You're the best R.J.," Alexa pulled him close and kissed him. "That's why I love you."

"I'm okay," R.J. said modestly.

"You're more than okay in my book," Alexa said, keeping him close.

"Come on snoggers," Saffron called out from ahead. "We don't want to miss curfew."

"We can snog back at the house," R.J. said, taking her hand.

"I'm glad to see you smiling again," she said softly leaning against him as they walked.

"I blame you," he teased her.

"Part of my duties as girlfriend I guess," she said.

R.J. slipped his arm around her. "Does this mean you're sneaking into my room tonight?"

*** *** ***

Maddie yawned as she helped Darla set the table. Last night when she and Ethan came inside, she'd been whisked away to a Weasley family meeting. Everyone thought it would be a great idea to do something to cheer Drew up and let her know that no matter what happened, she'd always have her family.

So every Weasley awoke early determined to make the morning special for their sister. Jon and Josh were in charge of the menu and Maddie laughed as she looked at the mountain of pancakes, eggs, sausage and bacon that her brothers had already made.

R.J. was slicing up some watermelon and had already fallen asleep three times.

"Ronnie Junior," Darla said shaking him. "You're going to cut yourself if you're not careful."

"Keep shaking me like that and I'm sure I will," R.J. replied, rubbing his eyes blearily.

"You sure are grumpy in the mornings," Darla teased. "I don't remember you being like that when we were kids."

"He had a late night," Jon said in mock sympathy. "Snogging the evening away with his girlfriend..."

"How about we talk about you and your wife in the bathroom two nights ago?" R.J. shot back. "A silencing charm would have been nice..."

Josh laughed at his twin. "We all had to listen to Boo Bear in action."

"I am never playing Truth or Dare with you lot ever again," Jon muttered.

"All right, enough," Darla said. "I really don't need to know about Allie's pet name for Jon. R.J. can you please finish with that fruit? And Maddie- is the table set outside?"

"It's all set," Maddie said. "And I found some really beautiful flowers for the centrepiece."

"Great," Darla smiled at her sister. "So... why don't you tell me all about last night?" she whispered, pulling her aside. "I've never seen you look so smug Madeline."

Maddie grinned. "We had a really, really great time, Dar."

"You're going to tell me a little more than that aren't you?" Darla crossed her arms.

Maddie leaned against the counter. "Well, he took me out to that really nice restaurant in town where we both ate and drank a little too much."

"Uh oh," Darla said with a knowing grin.

"And he gave me the most beautiful sapphire earrings," Maddie said. "After breakfast, I'll have to show you and Drew."

"He bought you earrings?" Darla asked. "How lovely! What did you give him?"

Maddie frowned. "I-I didn't. I've had so much on my mind with what's going on at work that I never really got around to shopping. He didn't say anything, but I felt terrible."

"Hmm..." Darla bit her lower lip in thought. "Perhaps later we could run into town and see if me and Drew can help you pick something out for him- if you want to that is."

"I'd love that," Maddie said giving Darla a hug.

"And you know how much Drew likes to shop," Darla laughed as she hugged her little sister back.

"Yes we do," Maddie said and she and Darla joined back in with the final preparations.

"I haven't told Ethan about what happened," Maddie said wondering if her siblings had said anything to their significant others.

"I told Allie," Jon admitted. "She and Drew talked for awhile last night."

"I thought about telling Lex," R.J. said, setting the large bowl of mixed fruit on the counter.

"Daddy didn't tell Aunt Hermione or Uncle Harry, but I think they could tell something was wrong," Darla said.

"I'm not saying anything unless Drew says it's okay to," Maddie said firmly.

"I still say we need to do something to that wanker Paul," R.J. said crossly.

"I'm all for that," Jon's eyes were narrowed.

"I never told Drew this, but I always felt something was off about him," Darla said guiltily. "You know how you just get this strange feeling whenever you're around someone and you just can't shake it? That's how I felt around him. I wish I'd have said something..."

"He'll wish he never said anything to Drew if Jon, R.J., Dad or I catch up with him," Josh said furiously.

"You mess with one of us, you mess with all of us," Darla said looking proudly at her brothers and sister.

"That's damn right," Jon said. "I think breakfast is all ready."

"I'll go upstairs and get her," Darla said grinning. "Be right back."

Maddie carried the bowl of fruit outside while Josh used a heating charm on the platters of hot food and levitated them out behind him.

Upstairs, Darla gently shook her sister. "Come on Drew. Wake up, sleepyhead."

"Five more minutes Dar..." Drew mumbled, burying her face in her pillow.

"Come on," Darla said shaking her again. "Remember, you promised you'd go for a walk with me this morning. I'm ready to go now!"

"Did I really promise that?" Drew asked, blinking against the sunlight shining in the window.

"Yes," Darla said smiling sweetly at her. "And don't worry, we'll stop off at that bakery on the way back."

"All right, I'm coming," Drew got up and pulled her hair back into a tiny ponytail then threw on her pyjama trousers.

"Where are my trainers?" Drew asked.

"Downstairs," Darla said grabbing her sister's hand. "Come on, Drew. We need to go now!"

"What's the big rush?" Drew grumbled. "It's not like a walk will be gone by the time we get to the beach."

"I know, but I'm just really ready to breathe in that fresh ocean air," Darla said enthusiastically. "Come on!" She pulled Drew out of the room and down the stairs.

"Okay!" Drew rubbed her shoulder, which Darla nearly had pulled out of the socket.

Darla led her sister through the kitchen and toward the door.

"Wait, I haven't got my trainers," Drew protested.

"You won't need them," Darla said opening the door. "Come see..."

"Surprise!" everyone grinned when Darla pulled Drew outside.

Drew was speechless as she stepped out onto the deck. Darla put an arm around her sister. "Speak Drew."

"What's this for?" Drew asked. "It's not my birthday. I haven't..."

"We just wanted to show you we care," Maddie smiled at her sister. "We all thought it might be nice to have breakfast together like we all used to do."

"You guys..." Drew said tears welling up in her eyes.

"Don't cry," Jon said giving his sister a hug. "Josh and I made all of this. All your favourites."

"This looks fantastic," Drew sniffed. "You guys are the best. You really are."

"They didn't make all of it," R.J. said defensively as they all sat down. "I sliced the fruit."

"I set the table," Maddie chimed in.

"And we didn't fight not once," Darla said proudly.

"Mum and Dad would be so proud," Drew laughed.

"Do you remember that time we had the food fight and Dad wasn't mad that we'd trashed the kitchen," Darla said giggling. "But that we'd wasted all that food!"

"And then he went scavenging for any edible bits?" Maddie finished as they all sat down and Josh began to pass the plates around the table.

"And he fought me for that piece of garlic bread," Josh said. "His own son!"

"Should have given him your Maddie face," R.J. joked. "No one can turn that down."

"You mean this one?" Maddie asked, laughing as she widened her eyes.

"That's the one," R.J. said laughing.

"We know Ethan can't resist it either," Jon couldn't help but say.

"It didn't always work on him though," Josh said.

"Now it sure does," R.J. cracked. "We saw them coming up from the beach last night when I was coming home with Lex and Saffron."

"Could someone pass me the pancakes?" Maddie asked. "Please?"

Darla handed the platter to her sister. "Stop picking on Maddie, Boo Bear."

"Allie has only called me that maybe three times," Jon said defensively.

"Three times a shag session," Josh snorted.

"Okay Poetry Boy," Jon retorted. "Let's talk about those odes you wrote to Julie."

Drew laughed. "How come you never told any of them to us?" she asked.

"You didn't miss much Drew," Jon said. "They were along the lines of "roses are red, violets are blue....Julie’s never going to love me and now I spend all my time in the loo..."

"Sod off wanker," Josh replied. "I got the woman I wanted in the end."

"Third time was the charm," Darla teased.

"This is excellent you guys," Drew said. "When did the two of you learn to cook?"

"Allie taught me everything I know," Jon said. "She's much better than me, but I think Josh and I did okay."

"Better than okay," Drew said. "All of you. This is really fantastic of you guys."

"We love you Drew," R.J. said. "And you say the word and Paul's nothing but dust."

"I'll keep that in mind," Drew smiled. "This really helps a lot, having you guys around."

"We'll always be here for you Drew," Maddie promised. "No matter what."

"Thank you," Drew hugged her. "Thank you so much."

Just inside the house, Hermione and Harry were eating a light breakfast. They hadn't seen nor heard anything going on outside.

"What smells so good?" Saffron asked as she and Alexa came into the kitchen.

"I'm not sure," Harry said. "We just got down here about ten minutes ago."

"Uncle Ron didn't cook and not invite us, did he?" Saffron asked sitting down and pouring herself a cup of juice.

"I'm sure there wouldn't be a pile of crumbs over there if he did," Hermione replied with a smile. "How was your date last night sweetheart?"

"Great," Saffron said. She smiled across the table at her father. "Thanks for letting me go, Dad."

"I'm glad you had fun," Harry said. "And I trust you were responsible and--"

"Harry," Hermione said, placing a hand on his.

"Right," Harry said nodding. "Good morning, Alexa. How about you? Did you and R.J. have a nice night too?"

"Yes we did Mr. Potter," Alexa said. "Thank you."

"Has anyone seen Maddie?" Ethan said coming into the kitchen rubbing his eyes. He had a really horrible case of bed head and Saffron giggled.

"Yes, I have seen her," Saffron said sweetly. "She's quite tall and has long blonde hair..."

"Smartarse," Ethan cuffed her. "I mean has anyone seen her this morning? She wasn't in bed."

"We haven't sweetheart," Hermione said. "Your father just made some fresh coffee though."

"Sounds good," Ethan yawned. "Anyone else want some?"

"I'm still working on my first..." Hermione started to say but she heard the sound of muffled laughter coming from just outside. Saffron walked over to the door and saw Drew, Darla, Jon, Josh, R.J. and Maddie sitting outside eating breakfast.

"What's that about?" Saffron asked.

"I'm not sure," Harry mused, coming up behind her. He shared a look with Hermione and she shook her head the tiniest bit.

"Can we go out?" Saffron asked.

"Best not," Hermione said putting an arm around Saffron.

"How come?" she asked curiously.

"I think this is something for just them," Hermione said. She'd suspected something was going on with them, but she'd not wanted to pry.

"Oh," Saffron replied, accepting what her mother said. "Good- now Alexa and I can claim the showers and get the most hot water."

"Saffy," Alexa giggled.

"Well it's true," Saffron said. "I mean normally we have to wait and by then the water's gone cold."

"All this and tactful too," Ethan teased his little sister.

Saffron turned on him and grinned. "So Ethan... you and Maddie looked pretty happy when we saw you stumbling back to the house last night."

"We were," Ethan said smiling at the memory of what he and Maddie did last night. "How about you and Snoggin' Sean?"

"Perfectly peachy thank you," Saffron said in the same sweet tone.

"Saffron Grace was sucking face," Ethan sang, making Alexa laugh.

"Keep this up and you'll end up missing without a trace," Saffron shot back.

Ethan laughed. "Boy she really put me in my place!" he finished, making his parents laugh as well.

"Nice to see you two getting along," Hermione said.

"Oh we try Mum," Ethan said, slinging an arm around his little sister. "Saf's the best."

"And I didn't have to pay him to say that," Saffron said giggling.

They were all still chuckling when the back door opened and the Weasleys started pouring back in. Maddie caught sight of her boyfriend standing at the counter and ran over to give him a hug.

"Hiya Mads," Ethan said hugging her back.

"Morning," she said, her arms around his neck.

"What's going on?" he asked.

"Just having breakfast with my brothers and sisters," she replied, kissing his cheek.

Ethan had a feeling there was more to it than that, but he decided not to push the issue. "I dreamt about you last night."

"You did?" she asked, a pleased smile on her face.

"Mmmhmm," Ethan replied. "Maddie Molly..."

"Tell me about it," she said, laughing as she tried to smooth down his hair.

"Well," he said looking into her eyes. "You and I were on a beach..."

"And?" Maddie whispered, forgetting there were other people in the room.

"Well you gave me a really long, sweet kiss," he said. "And if you come upstairs with me right now, I'll show you how it ended..."

Maddie grinned and she and Ethan nearly sprinted out of the kitchen and back upstairs.

"There's plenty of leftovers if you guys want some," Josh offered the others. "We didn't eat it all."

"If you don't save anything for your father he'll probably kill all of us," Harry pointed out with a grin.

"Daddy!" Caroline called out as she, Allison and Emma came into the kitchen. Jon scooped her up into his arms.

"How's my big girl this morning?" Jon asked kissing her forehead.

"I'm good," Caroline hugged him. "Did you make breakfast Daddy?"

"Dada!" Emma toddled over. "Emma eat Dada!"

"Oh Emma doesn't want to eat Dada," Jon grinned. "But how about some pancakes?"

"Can Emma and I take my magic carpet with us to the beach?" Caroline asked.

"No sweetheart," Allison said. "Remember how Daddy and I talked to you before we came about people who don't understand magic?"

Caroline nodded. "And they might not like seeing me on my magic carpet, right?"

"Right angel girl," Jon pinched her cheek.

"Can we ride it inside?" Caroline asked.

"You'll have to ask," Jon said.

"Please?" Caroline asked holding her hands together.

"Peas?" Emma said trying to copy Caroline.

Jon looked at Harry. "If we keep them a foot or so off the floor do you think they could ride around the sitting room?"

Harry grinned at the two young girls. "Who could say no to those faces?" he asked, scooping both of them up. "Of course you can ride around."

"Yay!" Caroline said giggling.

"Those carpets are cool," Saffron said. "I wish I'd had one growing up."

"Me too," Alexa said. "I only had Muggle toys."

"You can ride on it too," Caroline offered.

"Thanks," Alexa said smiling at her. "That's very sweet of you Caroline."

"Come on," Saffron said, setting her empty glass in the sink. "Let's get the showers before everyone else does."

Alexa nodded and followed Saffron out of the kitchen.

"So have you two girls got a big day planned?" Hermione asked Drew and Darla.

"Oh," Darla turned to her sister. "We have to take Maddie into town shopping. She needs to find a gift for Ethan."

"For their anniversary?" Hermione asked.

"Yeah," Darla nodded. "I guess she didn't realise that he was getting something for her."

"I'm sure she just didn't know," Hermione replied.

"Do you have any ideas about what to get?" Drew asked. "Since you are Ethan's mum and all..."

"Well," Hermione thought for a moment. "I remember when I got Harry this our first Christmas together..." she reached over and took her husband's wrist.

"What are you doing?" Harry asked.

"Showing Drew and Darla that bracelet I got for you," she said holding up his arm for the girls to see.

"The one that made me a kept man?" Harry joked.

"Branded you forever as mine," Hermione grinned.

Harry grinned at the two redhead girls in front of them. "Hear that?" he shook his head. "She's lucky I love her so much." he pulled Hermione onto his lap.

"Do you think Ethan would like something like that?" Drew asked with a smile, inspecting the ID bracelet.

"I think he just might," Hermione said.

"We'll tell Maddie," Darla said. "Thanks," she grinned.

"No problem," Hermione said smiling at them.

*** *** ***

"Two weeks," Frankie said, flopping down on the sofa. "Two bloody weeks and I finally got Lee to decide on a dress." she sighed. "Will, I never thought I'd say this but I never want to go shopping ever again!"

"I'm going to mark the date and time," Will teased plonking down beside her. "And remind you of this when you change your mind."

"Don't you dare," Frankie said, leaning against him.

"I'm going to remind you of this temporary lapse of sanity," he said pulling her closer.

"Mmm..." Frankie said, closing her eyes as she buried her face in his shoulder. "And we've also got to look at that little house tomorrow. It's so cute Will. I can't wait for you to see it."

"And I get to have input on the decoration?" he asked.

"I already told you yes," Frankie replied.

"I'll believe it when I see it," Will said.

"Are you doubting me?" Frankie raised her head off his shoulder.

"No," he said touching her cheek. "I'm proud of you for compromising, Frankie."

She shook her head and smiled. "I'm excited," she said, looking at her engagement ring. "I mean we're going to be married. I really didn't think I'd ever feel this way about marriage."

"You'll be stuck with me," he said holding her hand.

Frankie leaned in and kissed him. "I can think of worse things," she teased.

"Trying to convince your niece to take a bath while she's convinced she's a Disney princess?" Will asked.

"That could be one of them," Frankie laughed.

"Well while you were out shopping with Alicia," Will said. "I had lunch with your dad."

"Did you now?" Frankie asked.

Will nodded. "He wanted to give me the old 'take care of my little girl' talk."

"Oh no he didn't!" Frankie turned red. "Please tell me he didn't!"

"Relax Longbottom," he said laughing. "It was very nice. In fact, my mum wants to have the same talk with you about taking care of her little boy."

"You mean going out with Mary and having her do that wasn't enough?" Frankie asked.

"You said you had fun with Mary," he said raising an eyebrow.

"I did," Frankie said. "She's got a great fashion sense. But it was a bit freaky when Claire went to get us drinks and she gave me this evil stare and told me I better never hurt you again. After that things were just peachy."

"Well that's good," Will said with a laugh.

Frankie closed her eyes and leaned against him again. "I just can't wait for all this to be over." she laughed. "That sounded horrible but I didn't mean it that way. I just want us to be married, settled into our new home, and I'm really excited about our honeymoon."

"I know what you mean," Will agreed. "I'm really looking forward to the honeymoon."

"Hawaii," Frankie said dreamily. "I've been wanting to go there ever since Chiaki and Tosh went for their honeymoon."

"I went there once when I was a kid," Will said. "I was only six at the time and I have a feeling that I'll have a much better time with you than I did with Jack using me as his personal punching bag."

Frankie laughed. "I'll definitely make sure you have a better time," she said in a husky voice.

"I know you will," he said giving her a kiss.

"I really think you'll like this house," Frankie said, moving over to straddle his lap. "It's one of those cute row houses."

"Tell me more about it," Will said.

"It's in a new Wizarding section of the city," Frankie began. "Accessible to Diagon Alley and everything. And it's got red bricks- you know how much I love red bricks..."

"I didn't," he said laughing. "But that's good to know."

"Well it used to belong to some Muggles, so the wizard that took the whole row of homes over gutted them all out. So we get to start right from the base for decorating," Frankie grinned. "If we take it. I really think you'll like it."

"If it makes you this happy, I'm sure I will," Will said softly. "Our very first home. The place where we'll begin our life together and where we'll...start a family."

"Right," Frankie said after a moment. "But not right away... I want a few years before we settle down for kids."

"I wasn't trying to rush you Frankie," he said squeezing her hand. "I've always wanted children. I've not made that a secret, but we'll do that when we're both ready."

Frankie smiled at him. "Thank you," she said softly, brushing his hair back.

"For what?" he asked.

"Just for loving me the way you do," Frankie said, giving him a gentle kiss. "For a long time I never thought I'd meet anyone like you. And I certainly never thought I'd love anyone this way."

Will smiled. "And I never thought I'd meet someone like you. From the moment I set eyes on you Frankie Longbottom, you threw me for a loop."

She grinned. "I remember I kept seeing you around that pub when I was there with Alicia. You were always staring at me."

"Trying to work up the nerve to talk to you," he said. "Had to get some liquid courage in me."

Frankie laughed. "I just remember when you finally came up to me. I thought you were so bumbling and cute."

"Bumbling and cute?" Will asked. "Frankie? I wasn't going for bumbling and cute! I was trying to be handsome and mysterious."

"I enjoyed the bumbling and cute," Frankie said, winding her arms around his neck. "And it turned into handsome and bumbling." she giggled.

"Great," he said shaking his head. "And then your 'friend' Alicia told me to take my pervy arse back to the bar..."

"So you went," Frankie laughed. "And then a half hour later, I offered to buy you a drink."

"And we spent the next two hours talking," Will remembered. "About everything and nothing."

"And the rest is history... four years later," Frankie was giggling. "No matter how many times we fought, we always worked it out. We broke up but we always got back together."

"Because we belong together," Will said giving her another kiss.

"We definitely do," Frankie said. "I love you so... so... much..."

"So much that you'll marry me?" he asked.

"I'm wearing your ring aren't I?" she asked loftily.

"Is that what this is?" Will joked.

"You dolt," Frankie hit him in the shoulder.

"In two weeks you'll be Mrs. Dolt," he reminded her.

Frankie laughed. "And loving every moment of it," she said, kissing him again.

*** *** ***

Maddie enjoyed the shopping excursion into town with her sisters. It was nice having the chance to spend some time with them. It was even better seeing Drew having a good time.

Her sisters had told her about Hermione's idea of the ID bracelet and Maddie knew it would be the perfect gift for her boyfriend.

"I think this one is perfect," Maddie said, looking at a silver one with thick links, much like the one his father wore. "And the salesman said they could engrave it in an hour."

"What will the engraving say?" Darla asked. "Property of Madeline Molly Weasley?"

Maddie giggled. "I don't think they could fit that on there."

"You could shorten it," Drew said with a grin.

"I think I'll just settle for 'Love, Maddie," the blonde replied still giggling.

"Not as flashy, but I think it'll do," Drew said giggling.

While the bracelet was being engraved, Maddie insisted on treating her two sisters to coffee. "Come on," she said. "We never get to see each other anymore."

"We've actually thought about coming back to London," Darla admitted. "We've been spending so much time going back and forth planning Frankie's wedding."

"Like moving back?" Maddie asked excitedly.

"We discussed it," Drew said. "And being around you guys this morning, it just really hit it home for me how much I miss you and mum and dad."

Maddie threw her arms around her sister. "This is so exciting," she said happily.

"And we'd want to be here when Lizzy has..." Darla said but stopped herself.

"It's okay Dar," Drew said as Maddie pulled away. "I can't change the fact that our sister in law is about to pop with three babies."

"I should have thought though," Darla said guiltily. "I know it's not been easy for you."

"I know," Drew said. "But really, telling Mum and Dad has helped a lot. And what you guys all did for me this morning... that was really fantastic."

"That was just like old times," Darla said. "We should do stuff like that more often all six of us."

"We will," Maddie said.

"So you should tell us more about Ethan and what you two did last night," Darla said. She looked conspiratorially at her twin. "I tried to get most of it out of her this morning, but she was being kind of vague."

Maddie blushed. "It was our first anniversary," she said. "I showed you both the earrings he gave me."

"The good juicy stuff," Darla said firmly. "Now Madeline."

Maddie blushed even more and that made Drew laugh. "She's turning quite a deep red there Dar," she teased. "I think our little sister's all grown up now..."

"No," Maddie shook her head. "We didn't do that. We haven't done that yet."

"You said that you'd agreed to wait right?" Darla asked.

"Right," Maddie said. "But... okay do you both promise you'll never tell anyone about this?"

Drew and Darla both nodded.

"I sort of let him... touch me." Maddie revealed in a whisper.

"You did?" Darla asked louder than she'd meant to. She looked sheepishly around to make sure no one had heard. "I'm sorry. I mean you did?"

"Yeah," Maddie said. "I've always sort of shied away from doing things like that but last night... he just made me feel so good. I didn't want to stop you know?"

"I don't know how you've done it living with him like you have," Darla said shaking her head. "You two must have such willpower."

"It's really not easy," Maddie replied as their coffee was set down in front of them. "We just had a row over it the first day we were here... but now everything's fine. Better than fine really... it's absolutely fantastic."

Drew grinned. "That's great, Maddie. I'm really happy for you."

"Thanks Drew," Maddie said. "Part of me feels so ashamed for being happy while you were so upset."

"You shouldn't," Drew reassured her. "You have your own life, Maddie. I want you to be happy."

Maddie hugged her again. "Thanks Drew." she grinned. "I never told you both about New Year's Eve either did I? What Ethan gave me that night and what he said..."

An hour later Maddie happily collected her gift for her boyfriend and the three sisters headed back to the beach house.

Ron told Maddie that Ethan was out on the beach with Julie and Nick and she'd thought for a moment about changing into her swimming costume before joining him but found she couldn't wait.

"Hiya Maddie," Nick said when he spotted her.

"Hey Nick," she grinned at him. "How are you this gorgeous day?"

Nick laughed. "Probably not as good as you."

"Come on Nick," Julie said getting up. "Let's go check on the girls. I think they'd like to be alone."

"She just doesn't want to see us snog," Ethan said shamelessly, reaching for his girlfriend. "How's my favourite girl?"

"Perfect," Maddie said dreamily. "Ecstatic."

"Allow me to make it better," Ethan gave her a rather thorough and passionate kiss.

"Wow," Maddie said breathlessly when they pulled apart.

"You Maddie Molly... are incredible." Ethan nipped at her lower lip. "Did you have fun in town with your sisters?"

"I did," she replied. "And I have something for you actually."

"You do?" he asked, sitting up.

Maddie nodded and reached into her bag for the small box. "I know I'm a day late..."

"Awwww Mads, did you buy me earrings too?" he teased as she handed him the box.

"Yes," she said laughing. "I thought we could match."

"You shouldn't have," he fluttered his eyes at her.

Maddie punched him in the arm. "Open the present before I take it back."

Ethan laughed. "All right, all right." he said, prying open the box. "Hey! This is fantastic!"

"You really like it?" she asked hopefully.

"I love it," he said, lifting it from the box. "It looks almost just like my dad's!"

"I'm so glad you like it," she said. "Read the inscription..."

"All my love, Maddie." Ethan read. "That's great," he couldn't stop his grin. "Thank you." he gave her another kiss.

Maddie smiled. "I should probably go up to the house and get changed. I'm a little overdressed."

"I'll go back with you," he said as she helped him fasten the ID bracelet around his wrist. "I could use something to drink."

Maddie linked arms with Ethan and felt happier than she could ever remember feeling.

64. Chapter 64

Authors' note: We hope that everyone had a nice New Year. The summer holiday in Brighton continues this chapter. And we're glad you guys finally had the chance to "get to know" Drew and Darla. We'd been meaning to give them a storyline and they were neglected for far too long. You can look forward to more from them in the future. As always, please leave a review when you're done and let us know what you think. Now, on with the chapter...

Harry was heading back to the house to get everyone something to drink- they were all enjoying their last day on the beach before they headed back to London that next morning.

He had just entered the kitchen when he saw his wife sitting at the table, huddled over sobbing. "Hermione," he said worriedly. "What's wrong? What's happened? Are you all right?"

Hermione didn't answer him. She was too...she couldn't put into words what she was at the moment. The mobile phone slipped out of her hands and onto the floor.

"Hermione," Harry's tone was concerned. "Sweetheart, you have to tell me what happened..."

"He's..." Hermione tried to choke out, but she couldn't bring herself to actually say it. Saying it would make it seem all that more real.

"Who?" Harry asked, pushing her hair out of her face. "Sweetheart who are you talking about?"

"Gone," Hermione said looking up at her husband. "Oh Harry...my father...he's...."

"What?" Shock was registered over Harry's face.

"My mum went to wake him this morning," Hermione started to explain. "But he....he'd...."

"Oh sweetheart," Harry wrapped his wife in his arms. "I'm so sorry Hermione."

Hermione continued to cry as Harry held her. "He can't be gone, Harry. We just saw him before we came here."

"I know," Harry kissed her forehead comfortingly, wanting to be strong for what he knew was coming. "I wish I could have done something to help..."

"There was nothing anyone could do," Hermione said sniffling. "From what the doctors told Mum, he'd had another heart attack in his sleep."

"Shhhh..." Harry ran his hands up and down her back. "Baby I am so sorry. I loved your dad- he was a great guy."

"He was," Hermione said as she clung to Harry. She heard the distant sound of Saffron's laughter and she pulled reluctantly away from Harry. "I don't know how I'll be able to tell the children.."

"We'll tell them together," Harry squeezed her hand. "I'm here love."

This only caused Hermione to cry more and she again hugged her husband with all that she had.

Harry had no idea how long they sat there together, but it must have been awhile for Ethan came in. "Hey Dad where's the water- you said you'd be right--" he came into the kitchen and stopped at the sight of his mother dissolved in tears.

"Mum?" Ethan asked kneeling before her. "What's wrong?"

Hermione was still sobbing too hard to answer so Harry took it upon himself to do so. "It's your grandfather Ethan," he said hesitantly. "Elinore just rang... he died in his sleep last night."

"No," Ethan said shaking his head. "Grandpa's fine. He's..."

"No Ethan," Harry said.

Ethan could tell by the way his mother was crying and the stricken look on his father's face that they weren't lying. Tears welled up in his own eyes as he tried to let this all sink in.

"We have to tell your sisters," Hermione said woodenly, wiping her eyes with a sodden tissue. "Oh God, I don't know how I'm going to break this to Lavender too. I told my mother I would. And we have to head back today. I need to be there."

"Of course," Harry said nodding. "I…uh...I'll go and get Saffron and Julie."

"How will we tell Saffy?" Ethan asked, reaching for his mother. He may have been in his twenties but right then he felt like a young child again.

"I don't know," Hermione said weakly. "She is so...was....so close to him."

"I know," Ethan hugged his mother hard.

Harry gave his wife and son one last look before he walked out onto the deck to collect his two daughters. Harry walked over to where Julie was sitting with Nick, Katie and Ashley.

"Julie?" he asked trying to keep control of his emotions. "Could you come inside with me?"

"Did you need help Dad?" Julie asked, but her laughter died as soon as she took in the look on his face. "What's wrong?" she asked quietly.

"Just come inside with me Julie," Harry said quietly.

"Okay," Julie agreed, getting up. "I'll be right back Nick..."

Harry was silent as he and Julie walked back toward the house.

"Dad?" Julie asked. "You're scaring me. What's going on?"

"Where's Saffron?" he asked. "She needs to come in too."

"Um she's over there," Julie said motioning to where her younger sister was playing volleyball.

"Go inside," Harry said. "I'll bring her back."

"Okay," Julie said uncertainly as she did as her father asked.

When Harry approached his daughter he found her in a heated argument with R.J..

"It was out!" Saffron exclaimed. "Even my dad without his glasses could see that!"

"Bollocks," R.J. said angrily. "You're just saying that to be a pain in the arse!"

"And you're being a big cheater!" Saffron exclaimed throwing the ball at him.

"Saffron," Harry said. "I need you to come with me right now."

R.J. laughed. "You're in big trouble...."

"Shut it!" Saffron exclaimed shooting him a nasty glare. She returned her attention to her father. "Dad, R.J. was just cheating as usual and I was...what's wrong?"

"Please come with me," Harry said, holding out his hand to help her back over the dunes. "Your mother and I need to talk to you and your brother and sister."

"Okay," Saffron said. She looked over her shoulder at her friends. "I'll be back..."

Harry was wordless as he led his youngest daughter back to the house. He had absolutely no idea how to break this to her. It hurt to look at her and think that the news he and Hermione were about to tell them would shatter her entire world.

Saffron could tell something was wrong with her father, but she couldn't put her finger on just what. He wasn't usually this silent. Maybe they were taking back her prefect's badge, she thought thinking of the worst case scenario. Severus Snape must have done something to change Dumbledore's mind.

He held the door open for her and Saffron turned with a questioning glance as she saw her mother trying to hold herself together and comfort her brother and sister. "Okay what is going on?" she asked.

"Saffy," Harry said taking her hands. "Something terrible has happened."

"What?" she asked. "Tell me Dad, please. You're all scaring me."

Harry squeezed her hands. "Sweetheart, your grandfather....he um...he passed away last night."

For a moment Saffron only stared at her father. "What?" she finally asked.

"He had another heart attack," Harry said quietly. "He died in his sleep."

Saffron shook her head. "But he was doing fine," she said. "We were going to go golfing when I got back. So he can't be..." she couldn't force the last word out of her mouth.

Hermione shakily got to her feet and walked over to her youngest daughter. "I'm so sorry baby."

"No," Saffron pulled away. "You're lying! I don't know what kind of joke this is but it's not funny!" she ran out the back door.

"Saffy!" Harry called out.

"Let her be Dad," Ethan said. "It's probably better if she's alone right now."

Harry nodded knowing Ethan was probably right.

R.J. was just coming back to the beach house with Alexa when they saw Saffron run past them.

"Saffy," Alexa called after her friend. "What's..."

R.J. took her hand and they went up the steps to the house. "What's going on?" he asked. "Saffron just ran out of here like there was a fire and..." he stopped short at the looks on everyone's faces.

Ethan explained to R.J. and Alexa what had happened.

"I'm so sorry Mrs. Potter," Alexa said sympathetically.

"Thank you sweetheart," Hermione managed a smile at the younger girl.

"I'll be right back," R.J. said, squeezing Alexa's hand. He knew he and Saffron had been arguing the entire trip but he knew how devastating this would be for her. He raced outside and followed the direction he and Alexa had seen her run off in.

He found her a few minutes later on the boat. She was sitting on one of the cushioned benches hugging her knees to her chest.

"Go away," she said not looking at him.

"Saf..." he said. "I'm so sorry... I wish there was something I could do."

"He's not gone," Saffron said softly. "He's not. I saw him right before we came here and he was fine and he was healthy as could be. They're lying."

"I wish they were," R.J. sat down tentatively next to her.

Saffron looked at him. "You believe them then?"

"Well they all looked pretty upset," R.J. said, putting his arm across her shoulders. "I don't think they'd be crying like that if he was... okay."

A tear fell down Saffron's cheek. "He can't be R.J.. He's not gone."

He hugged her. "I'm really sorry," he said softly.

"It's my fault," Saffron said resting her head on R.J.'s shoulder.

"How is it your fault?" R.J. asked. "You were one of his favourite people Saf. You left school on weekends to go home and help out there, you spent New Year's Eve with them instead of with us... you always rang him and owled him..."

Saffron shook her head. "I stopped doing all that, remember? I started staying at school on weekends because he said he was getting better. But I shouldn't have listened. I should have stayed. I was helping him and because of me he had another heart attack!"

"That's not true," R.J. argued. "The doctors said he died in his sleep. He died having a heart attack but he was peaceful. They said there was nothing anyone could have done about it."

Saffron let R.J.'s words sink in but couldn't help feeling that she was somehow partly to blame.

"He was such a good man," she said her lower lip trembling. "And he was always...I can't do this. I cannot talk about him in the past tense. It's not right."

"It's okay," he said soothingly. "Do what makes you comfortable Saf. I'll stay with you as long as you need me."

Saffron nodded and hugged him. "I didn't get to say goodbye."

"He knows you're saying it now though, don't you think?" R.J. asked.

"Do you think so?" Saffron asked hopefully.

"Yeah," R.J. nodded. "It's like Maddie, when she has her visions, she says that our grandmother comes and helps her through the rough ones. She told me once that she doesn't think people that die ever really leave us."

"But I won't be able to talk to him anymore," Saffron said sadly. "Or play golf. And he won't be there to see me play my first Quidditch match."

R.J. rubbed her back. "Your grandmother still can," he pointed out. "I mean, I don't know how comforting that is, but at least she's still around."

Saffron froze and another wave of guilt hit her. She hadn't even thought about her grandmother and what this must be like for her. "Gran..."

"She's probably really going to need all of you right now," R.J. said, still hugging her.

"And my mum too...I just ran out on her," Saffron said softly. "I should get back and apologise. I just didn't want to believe that this was true."

"Want me to go back in with you?" R.J. offered.

"Would you?" Saffron asked. "I know I've been horrid to you since we've been here and I'm sorry for that and if you wanted to leave..."

"Nah," he grinned at her. "I figure this way I'm one up on you. Now you owe me one." he teased, trying to get her at least to smile.

Saffron did manage a slight smile at her friend. His being here for her meant more than she could even begin to express. R.J. stood up and offered Saffron his hand.

"Grandpa did have one major flaw," Saffron said taking R.J.'s hand.

"What's that?" he asked, helping her out of the boat.

"He always liked you," Saffron replied with a wry smile. "The last time I spoke to him on the phone I was complaining about what an absolute wanker you were being."

"And he was singing my praises right?" R.J. said. "No one but you can resist me Saffron Grace."

Saffron smiled and squeezed R.J.'s hand as they walked back toward the house. "Thank you."

"Anytime," he said, stopping to give her another hug. "You're still one of my best friends, believe it or not."

"You're still one of mine too," Saffron admitted.

"How soon do you think it'll take for us to get into another strop?" he asked, still trying to keep her mind off the current situation. "A week? Maybe a month if we're lucky?"

"I give us three days," Saffron said knowing what he was doing.

"Oh come on," R.J. said dramatically. "Give me some credit. I have more charm than that!"

"You just need to realise that more often that not I'm right," Saffron said. "The sooner you accept that, the easier our friendship will become."

R.J. shook his head. "You are one of a kind Potter, and for that I'm grateful."

"I feel the same way about you," she said pecking him on the cheek. "I'd better go and check on my mum."

"If you need to talk and you don't want to bug Lex..." he offered. "I'm here for you Saf."

"Thanks," she said as they walked up the steps to the house. Alexa had been waiting outside for them and she stood up when she saw them approach.

"Saffy, I'm so glad you're back," Alexa said giving her a hug.

"I'm sorry I ran off," Saffron apologised, hugging her back. "I just... I took the news really bad."

"That's understandable," Alexa said. "I know this isn't easy for you."

Saffron shook her head. "I'm going in to see my mum," she said.

"She went upstairs to pack," Alexa told her.

"Thanks," Saffron gave her friend's hand a squeeze and smiled at R.J. before heading back inside.

"How is she really?" Alexa asked R.J..

R.J. shrugged. "She's okay... and that's stretching it a bit. You know how close she is- I mean was, to her grandfather."

"I do," Alexa said. "And I think it meant a great deal to Saffy that you went after her like that."

"Yeah well," R.J. turned red. "I know she's a pain but she's still my friend."

Alexa gave him a kiss.

"What's that for?" he asked when she pulled back.

"For what you did," Alexa said smiling at him.

"Can I get more than one?" R.J. asked as she leaned in again.

Upstairs Saffron knocked hesitantly on the doorframe. "Mum?" she asked softly.

Hermione turned around. "Oh sweetheart..."

"I'm sorry I ran out Mum," Saffron's eyes filled with tears again. "I just didn't want to believe it."

"I know," Hermione said giving her daughter a hug. "I didn't either. And I didn't know how in the world I was going to tell you."

"I just wish I could have seen him one more time," Saffron sniffled. "Or talked to him one more time on the phone."

"I feel the same way," Hermione said softly. "But you know how much your grandfather loved you, don't you? You know how much it meant to him that you helped him when he got out of hospital."

Saffron nodded as her mother stroked her hair. "I just wish there was something I could have done."

"You did so much for him," Hermione told her. "He loved you so much baby."

Saffron nodded wordlessly as she began to cry again.

"Your grandma is going to need us to be strong for her," Hermione said. "And your Aunt Lav, too."

"I want to help," Saffron nodded. "I want to stay with Gran during all this so I can be there for her."

"We're going to ask her to stay with us at the house," Hermione said.

"You are?" Saffron brightened the tiniest bit. "Is she going to come and live with us?"

"I don't know," Hermione replied. "I hope so."

"Did you tell Aunt Lav yet?" Saffron asked, wiping her eyes with the tissue her mother gave her.

Hermione shook her head. "I don't know how I'm going to do that, Saffy."

"I'll help you," Saffron squeezed Hermione's hand.

Hermione gave her daughter a hug. "My sweet girl."

"I love you Mum," Saffron said, burying her face in Hermione's shoulder again.

"I love you too baby," Hermione whispered.

Downstairs, Harry was making last minute preparations for their departure. He'd set up a portkey for the family so they could get back to London quickly.

"Is there anything Luna and I can do?" Ron asked his best friend.

Harry shook his head. "The funeral arrangements are already being taken care of," he sighed. "Hermione just has to get a hold of Seamus and Lavender."

"Poor Lavender," Luna said quietly. "She already lost her parents and now this."

"I know," Harry replied, rubbing his eyes before slipping his glasses back on. "Ethan told me Maddie wants to go back with him- are you both sure you don't mind seeing that Alexa gets home?"

"Of course not," Luna said. "We'll take good care of her Harry."

"Thank you Luna," Harry said gratefully. "We really appreciate this. We'll owl you when we get back and have more details."

Luna and Ron went upstairs to say goodbye to Maddie and Ethan.

Katie, Ashley, Julie and Nick came downstairs carrying their bags. Both little girls were still crying as was their mother.

"Come here sweethearts," Harry held his arms out to his two granddaughters.

Katie and Ashley dropped their bags and ran into their grandfather's open arms.

"This is so sad," Ashley whimpered.

"I know it is baby," Harry kissed the side of her head. "But it's going to be all right."

"It is?" Katie asked looking at her grandfather. "How?"

"Eventually," Harry stroked her brown hair off her forehead. "You'll be able to think of your great grandfather and remember everything fun, and not be so sad. Every day it'll hurt a little bit less."

"Is that how you felt when your Mummy and Daddy died?" Katie asked.

"I was too young to remember," Harry said gently. "It happened when I was only one year old."

"It's still sad," Katie said giving him another hug.

"Yes it is," Harry replied. "And you girls will help out your mum and your grandmother during this time right?"

"They already promised no fighting," Nick said softly, smiling at his daughters.

"Your great-grandfather would be proud," Harry said with a grin.

Ashley nodded and went over to her mother, hugging her around the waist. Katie was picked up by Nick and he held her close, kissing her cheek and wiping her tears away.

"I'm going to go and check on Hermione and Saffron," Harry told them. "Our portkey activates in about 10 minutes."

"All right," Nick said. "Thanks."

"We'll just stay down here in the kitchen." Julie said as Maddie and Ethan joined them.

"How are you doing Jules?" Ethan asked.

Julie shrugged as Ashley sat on her lap and leaned against her. "I'm okay," she said softly.

"Doesn't seem real, does it?" Ethan asked setting his and Maddie's bags down.

"Not at all," Julie said running her fingers through Ashley's silky blonde hair in a comforting manner. "I mean just yesterday he was okay and then today he's..."

Ethan nodded and put an arm around Maddie. "I just keep thinking about that time he came by my flat with Gran and Saffy. Do you remember Mads? How he walked up the stairs?"

"Yeah and Saffy was so proud of him," Maddie smiled. "We had such fun at breakfast that day."

"I can't imagine what Gran's going through," Ethan said choking up.

"We all really need to be strong for her," Maddie rubbed his shoulders. "Your dad said something to me about her coming to live with them. We'll have to go over and visit often and spend time with her."

"I was thinking we could stay there tonight," Ethan told Maddie. "I think Mum would like that and I'd like to be close to Gran."

"Sure," Maddie squeezed his hand. "Anything you want Ethan."

"Thanks Mads," Ethan said giving his girlfriend a chaste kiss.

Hermione, Saffron and Harry came downstairs carrying their luggage.

"Are we all ready?" Nick asked, still holding Katie.

Hermione nodded. "As we'll ever be."

Saffron hugged Ashley as the younger girl came over to her. "How you holding up Ash?" she asked quietly.

"Not too good," Ashley admitted. "How about you?"

"About the same," Saffron replied. "I'm really going to miss him."

"What's our portkey Dad?" Ethan asked.

"This," Harry produced an empty bread wrapper. "First thing I could find," he said sheepishly.

"It's fine Dad," Ethan said reassuringly. "Anything that gets us home quicker."

"It'll be activating pretty quick," Harry said, gripping his wife's hand. "Is everyone ready? It'll take us right back into our house."

"Ready," Saffron said eager to get home to see comfort her grandmother.

Several minutes after that, they were all standing in the main foyer of Harry and Hermione's house. While everyone settled in, Harry offered to go get Elinore so Hermione could ring Lavender.

Ethan volunteered to go with his father. Hermione was happy that Julie and Saffron went upstairs with her. She needed their support now more than ever.

"She's not going to take this easy Mum," Julie said softly. "Are you sure it wouldn't just be better to try and Floo over to see her in person?"

"You're right," Hermione said thoughtfully. "This isn't something I want to tell her on the phone."

"We'll still go with you," Julie squeezed her mother's hand.

"Thanks sweetheart," Hermione said gratefully.

The sun was just rising in Los Angeles as Lavender and Seamus enjoyed a rare breakfast together. Seamus was due on the set early this morning.

"What time do you expect to be back?" Lavender asked before taking a sip of her coffee.

"Tonight sometime," Seamus answered. "If all goes well that is."

"I think I'm going to take it easy today," Lavender said. "Maybe go to the spa."

Seamus smiled. "You're already gorgeous enough. You don't need a spa treatment."

"Every woman needs to be pampered every now and then," Lavender said with a grin.

Seamus chuckled. He was about to finish his coffee and give his wife a goodbye kiss when their fireplace roared to life and Hermione stepped out followed by Julie and Saffron.

"This is a nice surprise!" Lavender said grinning at them. "What brings you by?"

Hermione felt fresh tears welling up in her eyes as she took in her cousin's warm, welcoming face. "I don't know quite how to tell you this Lav."

Lavender's smile disappeared. "What is it? What's happened?"

"We should probably sit down," Hermione said quietly.

Seamus led the way into the sitting room and he held his wife's hand as they waited for Hermione to tell them what had happened.

"Last night," Hermione began. "Dad...he had another heart attack."

"Oh my God!" Lavender covered her mouth in horror. "He's okay right? He's just in the hospital again..."

Hermione shook her head. "He was sleeping when it happened. The doctor's told Mum he wasn't in any pain. Lav, Dad's gone."

For a moment Lavender just stared blankly at her cousin. "What do you mean he's gone?"

"He passed away last night Lav," Hermione said her voice barely above a whisper.

Lavender didn't want to comprehend what Hermione was saying.

"I am so sorry," Seamus said, getting up to hug the three women in front of him. "I wish we could have done something."

"I know," Julie said hugging him. "We're all really numb right about now..."

Hermione sat down by her cousin. "Lav?" she asked worriedly, as her cousin had yet to move from the same pose she'd been in when Hermione had told her the news.

"He was doing better," Lavender said staring straight ahead. "The doctors said he'd make a full recovery. How could he have had another heart attack?"

"His heart was just overworked," Hermione said, taking her hand. "He wasn't in any pain Lav."

Lavender nodded and finally allowed herself to meet her cousin's gaze. She felt a sense of deja vu except this time it wasn't Uncle Robert telling her about her parents' deaths. "Hermione..."

"I know," Hermione said, her brown eyes flooded with tears. "I didn't want to tell you over the phone."

Lavender hugged her cousin tightly. "This can't be happening, Hermione."

"I want to say the same thing," Hermione said. "I'm still in a bit of denial. I mean... my father... he's..."

"How's Elinore doing?" Seamus asked.

"Dad and Ethan went over to get her," Saffron said, her arms wrapped around herself as Julie rubbed her shoulders comfortingly. "She's going to stay with us."

"I'm going back with you," Lavender said quietly.

"Okay," Hermione said. "If you want to stay at the house we'll have a room set up for you."

"I'm going to go ring my assistant," Seamus said. "Cancel filming."

"But you've got..." Lavender started to protest.

"This is more important," Seamus said, kissing the back of her hand. "I'll be right back."

"I should probably pack," Lavender said absently.

"You can borrow anything you need at home," Hermione replied. "Anything at all you need."

"Thanks," Lavender said wiping the tears from her face.

"We should probably get back," Julie said softly. "Gran will be arriving any moment."

"Why don't you go ahead Mum," Saffron said. "Julie and I can stay and help Aunt Lav."

"If you're sure," Hermione said. "I would like to be there when Mum comes."

"Go on ahead," Lavender replied woodenly. "I'll be all right here with Seamus."

"Are you sure Aunt Lav?" Saffron asked. "We could stay.."

"No you go on ahead," Lavender insisted. "Seamus and I will be along in just a little while."

Hermione, Julie and Saffron each gave Lavender a hug before leaving.

Lavender was listless as she sat there trying to take in what she'd just learned.

"I've asked them to put off filming for a week," Seamus said when he came back into the room.

"Seamus," Lavender said hoarsely.

Seamus sat down beside her. "I'm so sorry sweetheart."

"He was like my father," Lavender whispered. "This can't be happening Seamus."

"I know," Seamus said wishing he could do something to make this right. He pulled her into his arms. "I know."

"What am I going to do?" Lavender started crying in earnest.

"You're going to lean on me," he told her softly. "And I'm going to help you get through this Lavender."

"Seamus," she sobbed into his shirt.

"Robert was a really good man," Seamus said rubbing her back. "And he loved his family so much. There's nothing he wouldn't have done for you. He thought of you as his own, you know that."

"That's why this is so hard," Lavender took the tissue he was holding and blew her nose. "I don't want to believe this."

Seamus was truly at a loss as to what to say to make his wife feel better. He doubted that there was anything he could say that would take away her pain. He held her close. "I love you, Lavender. Anything you want, I'll do it. Anything."

"Just stay with me," she whimpered. "Please don't leave my side."

"I'm not going anywhere," Seamus promised.

"I guess we should get going," Lavender wiped at her eyes. "I want to see my aunt as soon as possible."

Seamus nodded. "We can leave now and once we're settled I'll come back and pack some of our things. How does that sound?"

Lavender shrugged. "I don't care," she said miserably.

Seamus kissed her forehead. "Let's go love."

They arrived at Harry and Hermione's place quickly and headed for the sitting room where Ethan and Harry had also just gotten there with Elinore, who looked completely broken.

Saffron sat beside her grandmother on the couch holding her hand. Elinore hadn't spoken more than a couple of words to Ethan and Harry.

"Gran I'll do anything you need me to do," she said, her green eyes filled with tears again. "I'm here for you okay?"

Elinore nodded. "Okay..."

"Can I get you some coffee?" Julie offered. "Or some tea?"

"No..." Elinore was still staring off into space. Julie and Saffron exchanged worried looks.

"Gran," Saffron tried again. "Dad's fixing up a room for you to stay in here."

"Just for tonight," Elinore said quietly. "I should be at home with Robert."

"But he's not home anymore," Saffron said, her tears falling. "They took him to the hospital."

"We were married over 50 years," Elinore said. "And we never spent more than one night apart in all those years."

Saffron wasn't quite sure what to say to that so she just leaned against her grandmother and hoped her mother would come back in the room soon.

"I've never seen her like this," Ethan said sitting down with Maddie. "She's always been so strong, Mads."

"I know," Maddie said softly. "Death can really tear a person apart."

"This has taken quite a toll on my dad too," Ethan said. "He and my grandpa didn't always see eye to eye, but they respected each other and were more alike than either of them would ever admit, you know."

"They always got along as far as I could see," Maddie replied, weaving their fingers together. "Your grandfather had a good, rich life and he always had people around who loved him and who he loved."

"I wish I'd spent more time with him over the last few months," Ethan said wistfully.

"You spent plenty of time with him," Maddie said reassuringly.

"Not enough," Ethan said guiltily. "I remember when he was in hospital, I made a promise that I'd spend more time with him. That I'd go by and have dinners with him and Gran."

"You did when you had a chance," Maddie rested her head on his shoulder. "Ethan they know you're a busy man. You spent time with them when you could."

Ethan knew his girlfriend was right, but he still couldn't help but think he could have made more time.

Saffron came over to join them and Ethan gave his sister a big hug.

"She won't talk," Saffron said sobbing on Ethan's shirt. "And I don't know what to say to make her talk."

"She's just grieving Saffy," Ethan said softly. "She found him that way and it's probably harder for her than it is for any of us."

"I just feel so helpless," Saffron said.

"Just being around you and the people she loves is going to be good for her," Maddie reassured the younger girl. "It might not seem like it now, Saffy, but it will. It's going to take time."

"Why can't we get a time turner?" Saffron asked, her eyes gone red. "Why can't I go back to yesterday and tell Grandpa to get to the hospital?"

"I know how you feel," Ethan said softly. "But there's no guarantee he would have made it even if he was in hospital. Saf, at least this way, he wasn't in any pain. You know how miserable he was last time hooked up to all those machines."

"I know," Saffron sniffled. "I just hate this Ethan. I hate it so much. Why'd he have to die? Why did he have to leave us?"

"I wish I could tell you the answer," Ethan said patting her back. "But we had so many good years with him, Saffy. We should try and remember the good times."

Maddie stroked the younger girl’s hair while Ethan rubbed her back. "You know you can depend on us for anything you need, right Saffy?" she said softly. "You, your mum, your grandmother..."

Saffron nodded. "Thanks Maddie."

"You are probably too young to remember this," Ethan said hoping to get his little sister to smile. "But I think you were around two years old and we had everyone over here for Christmas. Dad and Grandpa got into it about something and Grandpa stalked off to the sitting room. And you, little Saffron Grace, stumbled after him and you just took his hand, kissed him on the cheek and led him back to the dining room."

"I did?" Saffron asked a tiny smile on her face.

"You did," Ethan said grinning at her. "And you sat on his lap the rest of the meal so he wouldn't go anywhere. You had him wrapped around your little finger."

"He told me that all the time," Saffron said, wiping her cheeks.

"He loved all of us, but he had a special place in his heart for you," Ethan told her. "Told me all the time that you were his best mate."

Saffron pressed her lips together hard to try and stave off a new set of tears. "He was the best grandfather I could have ever asked for," she said hoarsely.

"I know," Ethan said trying very hard not to cry himself. "I think so too."

"Thanks Ethan," Saffron hugged him. "I'm going to go try to talk to Gran again okay?"

"Okay," Ethan said. "We'll be here if you need us Saf."

"I think you need some comforting too," Maddie said softly once Saffron was once again seated next to Elinore.

"I'm okay," Ethan lied. "I need to be strong for Mum, Saffy, Jules..."

"I know you too well," Maddie interrupted him. "Ethan I'm here for you. If you have to break down, I understand. I'd be the exact same way if this was Nana. You were all close to him and this is a hard thing to take in."

Ethan looked at her and he felt himself starting to crumble. "I just always thought he'd be here, Maddie. I always thought he'd be right here. Even now, I keep expecting to see him walk through the door to ask me about the case I'm working on or how you're doing and if I'm treating you well."

Maddie smoothed down his rumpled hair. "It's okay Ethan," she said softly, holding him close. "Eventually things will be okay again."

"I'm glad you're here," he said quietly. "I couldn't do this without you, Mads."

"I'll always be here for you Ethan," Maddie replied. "Anytime you need me."

Harry came back into the sitting room with a tray of tea and biscuits. He looked around for Hermione, but couldn't see her.

"Julie?" Harry asked. "Have you seen your mum?"

"I think she's upstairs," Julie replied. "Want me to go get her?"

Harry shook his head. "Thanks, sweetheart, but I'll go."

Hermione was upstairs on her mobile talking to someone at the hospital. "No... No we'll arrange for someone to pick him up. Thank you..." she clicked her phone off and sighed, sitting heavily on the bed.

"Hermione?" Harry asked from the doorway.

Hermione turned. "I was just talking to the morgue at the hospital," she said. "The funeral home is going to send someone to pick up... Dad and um... the wake will be tomorrow and the funeral the day after..."

"I could have taken care of that for you," Harry said. "You shouldn't have to deal with that...”

Hermione shrugged. "I didn't want my mother to have to worry about any of it."

Harry crossed the room and sat beside his wife on the bed. He wanted to ask how she was holding up, but it would have been a stupid question.

"I would have taken care of those arrangements for you," he said softly taking her hand.

She shook her head. "I had to do something," she replied in a trembling voice. "To keep my mind off... off of--"

Harry pulled her close. "Hermione, you don't have to be strong. You don't have to put up a front, not with me. I know you're hurting, too. He was your father."

"I know," she said as she began to cry again. "I've been dreading this day ever since he had that heart attack and now... I just can't deal with this Harry." she sobbed into his shoulder.

"You can and you will," he said softly. "And you just remember that you're not alone."

"Thank you Harry," Hermione said as he held her. "I don't know what I'd do without you."

"You're never going to find out," Harry said. "Because I am always going to be here for you."

She nodded. "I have to go back down." she said softly. "Lav needs me... so does Mum. And Saffy and Julie..."

"Okay," he said. "But if you need to cry or scream or vent, you just come and get me and we'll come up here..."

Hermione managed a smile. "You're the best you know."

"I love you," Harry said kissing her softly.

"Love you too," Hermione replied, running her fingers through the hair at his nape. "Thank you for being my rock."

"You've been that for me since the day we met," he said giving her another kiss.

"So have you," Hermione said, her forehead resting against his while he brushed away her tears.

They sat like that for a few moments before going back downstairs. Elinore was sitting in between Lavender and Saffron still looking lost and alone. Harry squeezed Hermione's hand reassuringly.

"Gran," Saffron kept trying. "Are you sure we can't get you anything?"

Elinore turned to look at Saffron and for the first time seemed to see her granddaughter. "Saffron..."

Saffron managed a trembly smile. "I'm here Gran."

Elinore hugged her tightly. "Thank you Saffy. I'm so sorry."

"Gran don't you apologise," Saffron said. "I just wish I could have been there more for you."

"Me too," Lavender said, leaning on her aunt from the other side.

Elinore shook her head. "Robert was so proud of you--of all of you. He was so proud as am I that we have such..." She broke off as she tried to stave her off tears.

"We know," Saffron said softly. "We know Gran."

"And we'd really like for you to move in here with us," Hermione said kneeling before her mother. "You shouldn't be alone, Mum."

"Oh I couldn't leave the house Hermione," Elinore said, her eyes red. "It's all I have left of your father."

Hermione took her mother's hand. "You don't have to give up the house, Mum. I just think you should stay with us."

Elinore's face crumpled. "For a few days perhaps..." she had no will to argue.

"As long as you need," Harry said. "Of course, I don't know how I'll be able to cope living in a house with three beautiful women."

"You were always such a flatterer," Elinore managed a smile. "Robert always thought that was funny."

"Not as funny as beating me at golf," Harry said relieved to see Elinore talking and at least attempting to smile. "He got way too much enjoyment out of that."

"Yes he always did," Elinore wiped her eyes.

"He was the reason I was so good at chess," Saffron said. "We used to play all the time."

"I didn't know that," Harry said smiling at his daughter. "I guess I have him to thank for beating Ron that one time then, eh?"

"Right," Saffron said, still holding Elinore's hand.

"He taught me how to drive," Julie said with a grin. "We used to practise every weekend."

"He did so love spending time with you three," Elinore said fondly.

"What about us?" Katie asked.

"Oh you two as well, of course," Elinore replied. "But before you were born, he loved spending time with your mother, aunt and uncle. As much time as he could."

"I miss him," Ashley said coming up beside Julie.

"We all do love," Julie hugged her daughter.

"He'll be watching over us," Katie said looking at her great-grandmother. "Like a guardian angel."

"That's right," Elinore stroked Katie's cheek. "That's so like him."

"We'll have to be extra good then," Katie said.

"I'll believe that when I see it," Julie smiled through her tears at her youngest daughter.

"Okay," Katie said with a grin. "We'll try and be good."

"That's probably more like it," Nick squeezed his daughter's cheek. "What say we go put something together for dinner for everyone?"

"Malfoy Pizza," Katie said enthusiastically.

"We don't need to make a mess," Nick chuckled.

"Oh Daddy," Katie said. "You're no fun!"

"Ask your grandparents if they mind," Nick said. "If it's okay with them we'll go in and make our special pizza for everyone."

"I think your special pizza is just what we all need," Hermione said pulling Katie into a hug.

"I promise we won't make a mess," Katie said. "Ashley you can even need to dough if you want."

"Knead the dough," Ashley corrected, but without sarcasm. "Thanks Katie."

Elinore laughed. "They're too much."

"They're just what we need right now." Hermione smiled in the direction of the kitchen.

"Grandpa would have loved this," Saffron said smiling at her mother. "All of us together like this."

"Yes he would," Hermione squeezed her daughter's hand.

*** *** ***

Back at the Brighton cottage, everyone had turned in early. The Weasleys planned to leave first thing in the morning. Drew and Darla had already left later that night because they had some things to do for Frankie and Will's wedding.

Dinner was a very subdued occasion with everyone's minds on Hermione and her family. Alexa hadn't minded staying behind. She knew that the last thing Saffron and her parents needed to worry about at this moment was making sure she got home okay.

But alone in the room she and Saffron had shared, Alexa felt incredibly lonely.

She crept out of her bedroom and tiptoed down the hall. Looking down the hall to make sure no one was coming, she opened R.J.'s bedroom door. The room was dark save for the moonlight coming through his window. He was fast asleep and for a moment, Alexa just looked at him.

"R.J.," she whispered softly, not wanting to startle him.

"Hmm," he mumbled.

"R.J. it's me," she said, sitting on the edge of his bed.

R.J.'s eyes blinked open. "Lexie? What's wrong?"

"Nothing," Alexa said. "I just... I got a little um... lonely in the bedroom is all."

R.J. pulled back the covers. "Come on..."

Alexa slid in beside him gratefully. "I feel so bad for Saffy," she said as he wrapped his arms around her.

"I told her we'd be there for her if she needed us," R.J. said softly.

Alexa nodded. "She's just... was just so close with him." she replied.

"I know," R.J. said touching her cheek. "Saffy can be a brat, but she's always right there for her friends and family. I just hope we can do the same for her."

"I still think you were so sweet to go rushing off after her," Alexa said, leaning in so her forehead was touching his. She closed her eyes as he continued to stroke her cheek. "She really needed you and even though you two were in a strop you were there for her." Alexa smiled. "When I saw you two walking back hand in hand I just..." she blushed. "I loved you so much for being as sweet as you are."

"Don't tell everyone that," he whispered. "I have a reputation to protect. Wouldn't do for the Quidditch captain to be known as 'sweet'."

"That'll be our little secret," Alexa leaned in even more and kissed him. "I'm going to miss this after tonight." she sighed. "I've gotten used to falling asleep with you these past few weeks."

"I'm going to miss you too," he said softly. "And if this is our last for awhile, we should make it count."

"I have to see you again before we leave for school," Alexa said as his hands began to run through her loose hair.

"You will," he said kissing her.

She kissed him back, running her hands over his back as her lips opened under his.

R.J.'s hands snaked under her pyjama top. "Is this okay?" he asked in between kisses.

"Mmmhmm..." she murmured. "It feels good..."

"It sure does," he said with a grin.

"You feel good," she said as he pulled his mouth from hers to kiss her neck.

"I love you Lex," he whispered against her skin.

"I love you too R.J.," Alexa whimpered as he kissed her again. "So... so much..."

He smiled at her. "Will you stay here with me? All night?"

"Of course," she answered. "Can't think of anywhere else I'd rather be."

R.J. smiled down at her. "I think I might have to look into sneaking into your bedroom at home every night during the rest of summer hols. Because you Alexa O'Leary have spoiled me."

She giggled. "My parents like you- you wouldn't want to change that now would you?" she teased. "My dad can be pretty scary when he's mad."

"Yes well just make sure that Ben bloke doesn't decide to sneak in to your bedroom while I'm gone," R.J. teased.

"Oh please," Alexa said. "Well I suppose if I squinted my eyes he could sort of look like you..." she laughed when he looked indignant.

"You'd have to close your eyes," he said loftily. "And besides, I don't think he could kiss you like this..."

He gave her a kiss that literally stole her breath away, moving his hands and making her body feel warm all over. "Oh..." she said dazedly. "No... I doubt he could..."

R.J. tickled her. "You doubt?"

"Okay," she giggled. "No one could... happy?"

"Very," he said giving her another kiss.

65. Chapter 65

A/N: I’m (Heaven) sorry I didn’t get to review replies this time around- it was a pretty stressful day at work and then I got the great pleasure of taking my dogs to the vet for shots which is always a scream. This chapter is a more lighthearted turn from the previous one- we HATED doing that to Robert but it was coming for a long time now and it provided some very good angst.

As always, PLEASE leave us a review- we get thousands of hits every chapter and only about 25-35 reviews on average a chapter so please speak up and let us know what you think!

It was several days now after Robert's funeral and the Potter family was doing the best they could to pick up the pieces and move on. Despite Hermione's insistence, Elinore was adamant that she return home- she wanted to stay in the home she'd shared for so long with her husband. Hermione and Harry both returned to work and Saffron was pretty much left up to her own devices.

She was rather bored- she could have gone over to Nick and Julie's to spend time with Greta, or gone to see R.J. or Alexa, but part of her didn't feel up to socializing yet.

Since it was a nice day, she decided to get a book and sit in the garden, but just as she was about to enter the library the phone started to ring. With a resigned sigh, she picked up the telephone.

"Hello?" she asked impatiently.

"Hello is um... May I please speak to Saffron?" a familiar voice came over the speaker.

"Speaking," she said trying to place the voice. "Who's this?"

"This is Sean Grant," he said. "How um... how are you?"

"Sean?" she asked. "What...how did you get my number?"

"R.J.," Sean answered. "I came by that day you were supposed to leave to say goodbye and I found out about your grandfather. I'm really sorry to hear about him."

The smile on Saffron's face faltered a bit at the mention of her grandfather. "Thanks, it was so sudden. I'm sorry we didn't get the chance to have a proper goodbye."

"No it's okay," Sean replied. "I understand. I'd be pretty upset if it was me."

"My dad keeps telling me it'll get better, but I still miss him so much Sean," she said sitting down on the sofa.

"Well I'm sure it'll just take time," Sean said. "No one gets over the death of a close family member within just a few days."

"Yeah," Saffron said quietly. "So, um, how have you been?"

"Not too bad," Sean said. "I miss you a lot."

"You do?" she asked.

"Yeah," Sean said. "I had a lot of fun with you Saffy."

Saffron smiled. "I had a lot of fun with you too. Maybe...maybe we could get together sometime before we have to go back to school."

"That's actually why I was calling," Sean was buoyed by her answer. "I was glad when R.J. gave me your number because I didn't know how else to get a hold of you."

"I'm glad he did too," Saffron said making a silent vow to thank her friend next time she saw him. "My parents aren't too crazy about me going out by myself, but maybe you and me and R.J. and Lex could do something sometime."

"I'd really like that," Sean said eagerly. "Would tomorrow night be too short notice?"

"I'd have to check with my parents and with R.J., but I think it would be okay," she said smiling at how enthusiastic he sounded. "If you give me your number, I could call you back later tonight and let you know if it's okay."

"Okay," Sean gave her his mobile number. "You can ring me anytime you want to Saffy."

"You might live to regret that," she teased.

"Maybe," he laughed. "Sounds like I got you to smile though."

"You did," Saffron said with a laugh. "And I haven't done much of that in the past few days. Thank you."

"Anytime," Sean replied. "I'll talk to you later tonight then?"

"Definitely," Saffron promised. "Bye Sean."

"Bye," he said, hanging up with a smile on his face.

Saffron grinned as she hung the phone up. This was the first time she'd been genuinely happy since her grandfather had died. She wanted to check in with R.J. before she asked her parents to see if it was okay and also to thank him for giving Sean her number.

R.J. was just sitting down to make himself something to eat when the fireplace in the sitting room roared to life. He half hoped Alexa had figured out a way to use the Floo Network from her Muggle home but when he went to check and see who it was, Saffron was standing there dusting herself off.

"I'm so glad you're home," she said smiling at him.

"Where else would I be?" he asked a little grumpier than he'd meant to.

"Look who got up on the wrong side of the bed," she answered.

"I'm sorry," he apologised. "I was just about to make myself a sandwich. You hungry?"

"A little I guess," she shrugged. "Guess who just rang me?"

"The Weird Sisters?" he asked leading her into the kitchen. "They've decided to overlook the fact that you can't carry a tune and are asking you to be their new lead singer?"

"Funny," Saffron shook her head but smiled. "But wrong. I just got off the phone with Sean Grant."

"I was wondering when the boy was going to ring you," R.J. said. "I hope you don't mind me giving him your number. He was upset when he heard about your grandfather."

"I don't mind at all," Saffron said. "I really appreciate it. I didn't know how I'd ever hear from him again."

"Good," R.J. said. "There's my good deed for the summer." He started to make their sandwiches. "Mayo or mustard, Saf?"

"Mustard please," Saffron said, going into the cupboard for some plates and glasses. She knew the Weasley household almost as well as her own. "He wants to go out tomorrow night."

"Where you going to take him?" R.J. asked.

"Well I actually can't take him anywhere without you or Alexa," Saffron said. "My dad and mum don't want me dating in a... non group environment yet."

"You want Lex and me to chaperone so you won't jump the poor bloke's bones eh?" R.J. teased.

Saffron giggled. "Hardly. And it's better to say that I have to keep an eye on you and Lex to make sure you don't swallow each other's tongues."

"I haven't seen her since your granddad's funeral," R.J. said. "She's been helping out in her mum's bakery. And so has that...Ben..."

"Ben?" Saffron asked, getting the pumpkin juice out of the icebox. "You don't think she's got eyes for him do you? She's completely stoked on you R.J.."

"It's not her I'm worried about," R.J. said.

"I've always thought he fancied her," Saffron said truthfully. "But I don't think he'd do anything if he knows she's seeing someone else."

"Oh really?" R.J. asked as he finished making their sandwiches. "Let's see...well, I've called her mum's bakery three times and each time that wanker answers and he lies about her being in the back or off on a delivery and that he'll tell her I called. And yet somehow, she doesn't get my messages...."

"I'll call," Saffron said, reaching for the phone and punching in the number. "He'll put me through to her if he answers."

R.J. shrugged and sat down at the table.

"O'Leary Bakery," Ben's voice came over the telephone.

"Hi may I please speak to Alexa O'Leary," Saffron replied.

"Sure," Ben said politely. "Hold on a sec...Lex!"

Saffron grinned at R.J.. "Mission accomplished," she said sweetly, holding the phone out to him.

R.J. beamed at her and took the phone.

"Hello?" Alexa's voice came over the line. "This is Alexa."

"Hey you," R.J. said, smiling at her voice.

"R.J.!" Alexa said happily.

"I've been trying to ring you for days," R.J. said. "Ben always says you're gone."

"What?' Alexa asked. "I've been here...well, I've been helping my mum with inventory, maybe he just didn't want to bother me. Did you tell him who you were?"

"Yes," R.J. replied. "But I don't care anymore. I still get to talk to you now." he said. "Saffy came over and we're having lunch together."

"Tell her I said hi," Alexa said. "I wish I could be there with you guys."

"So do we," R.J. replied. "Say listen what are your plans for tomorrow night?"

"Oh I have an exciting evening planned," Alexa said dramatically. "Pizza with mum and dad and then we'll probably watch telly..."

"Could I possibly tempt you into going out with me, Saffy and Sean?" R.J. grinned.

"I'd love to," Alexa answered. R.J. could hear someone trying to talk to Alexa in the background and he rolled his eyes at Saffron. "Hold on a second, R.J......Ben, they're in the back. No, you'll need the brown sugar and cinnamon..."

"Do you need to call me back?" he asked.

"No," Alexa said. "This is the first time we've been able to speak in days. It's just really crazy around here. What time...what time did you want to get together?"

"Well I think Saf still has to talk to her parents." R.J. replied, looking at his friend who nodded.

"Well let me know," Alexa said. "You can ring me at home. I should be done here around six."

"Okay," R.J. said. "I'll ring you back this evening then and let you know what we're going to do."

"Okay," Alexa said. "Love you."

"I love you too Lexie," R.J. said before hanging up. "You," he pointed to Saffron. "Are a goddess."

Saffron grinned. "Just paying you back."

"So now that we've both done our good deed for the summer," he grinned back at her. "I'm really glad you came over. Mum and Dad were getting worried about you- no one's heard from you since the funeral."

"I've just been spending a lot of time with my Gran," Saffron replied. "I just haven't much felt like doing anything."

"I guess I can understand that," R.J. went into the pantry for a bag of crisps.

"My dad's going to help me practise some this weekend," Saffron said. "It'll be good to get up on my broom again."

"Want me to come over and help you with some Quidditch moves?" R.J. offered.

"You never want to help me," Saffron said laughing. "What gives?"

"Come on," R.J. said. "I'm going to be picking the best Gryffindor Quidditch team of all this next year. I have to be sure you're the best." he grinned.

"I am the best," Saffron said smugly. "You're just too arrogant to admit it yourself."

R.J. shook his head. "Good to see your ego hasn't deflated Saf. That's really what I was worried about."

"What are you talking about?" Saffron asked. "Your ego is way bigger than mine."

"I never said it wasn't," R.J. said, stuffing some crisps in his mouth.

"Well, if you are offering to help," Saffron said grinning at him. "I'd love that."

"Great," R.J. replied. "It'll be fun Saf. Especially if we go up against your Dad."

"Talking about large egos," Saffron said with a laugh.

"Isn't that where you got yours from?" R.J. asked innocently, ducking as Saffron threw a crisp at his head.

"At least I can back mine up," Saffron said laughing.

R.J. laughed. "How about we go into Diagon Alley for ice cream?" he offered. "My treat."

Saffron grinned. "Who are you and what have you done with R.J. Weasley?"

"Is this what a bloke gets for trying to be nice?" R.J. asked in mock indignity.

"Far be it from me to look a gift Weasley in the mouth," Saffron said. "If you're buying, I'd love to go into Diagon Alley for some ice cream."

"Great," he said. "Let me leave a note for my parents and we'll head out."

"Great," Saffron said. "You know it's been awhile since just you and me have done something together."

"Yeah it has been," R.J. said as they left the house. "I sort of miss hanging with you."

"Naturally," Saffron said nudging him. "I'm very fun to hang out with."

"And your ego really rubs off on others," R.J. said. "I've never seen Alexa be so outgoing."

"I think that might have had more to do with you than me," Saffron said.

"Maybe," R.J. shrugged. "She's a great girl Saf."

"She told me what you'd told her," Saffron admitted. "About you know..."

"About me telling her I love her?" R.J. asked with a grin.

Saffron grinned back, but turned serious all of a sudden. "Look, R.J....if you ever hurt her, I'll...well it won't be pretty..."

"I have no plans to," R.J. said, also serious. "I mean that Saf. She's... she was unexpected. At first I expected to take her out on a Hogsmeade weekend or two and then find we had nothing in common- that she was more your friend than mine. But I got to know her and she's this fantastic, gorgeous girl. I've never fallen hard for anyone before but I've got it bad for her."

Saffron believed him and without thinking twice about it, she hugged him right in the middle of Diagon Alley and then kissed his cheek.

"What was that for?" he asked, amused.

"Just because," she replied grinning at him.

From just inside Madam Malkin's, Christina Grant had witnessed that little scene between R.J. Weasley and Saffron Potter.

"Come on," R.J. grabbed her hand and pulled her in the direction of Florean Fortescue's. Neither of them had noticed the smirk on the face of the Ravenclaw standing in the window.

*** *** ***

Maddie was writing notes on her latest vision when Smythe came into the small office Maddie shared with some of her fellow Seers.

"Maddie?" Smythe asked. "Sorry to bother you, but I was wondering if you'd seen Jared? He's nearly two hours late..."

"He hasn't arrived yet?" Maddie was concerned. "That's so unlike him..."

Smythe shook her head. "I know. He's usually quite punctual and reliable. I think I might send an owl to see if everything's okay."

"I'm almost done with my report," Maddie said. "If you'd like, I can go over to his flat and see if he's all right."

"Would you mind?" Smythe asked gratefully.

"Not at all," Maddie smiled back at her mentor.

"I'm sure it's nothing," Smythe said reassuringly. "While you were gone, he was having some trouble with his focus. I think you've been good for him."

"I'm sure he just likes having someone around his age to talk to about this," Maddie replied, finishing her report. "I know having Ethan around helped me a lot. And you did too Smythe."

Smythe smiled at the younger woman. "You truly have a gift Maddie. I'm just glad that I've been able to help you learn how to control and use that gift. Your parents must be very proud."

"They are," Maddie said as she looked at the photo of her family she kept on the corner of her desk. "They're really supportive."

"It's a shame poor Jared doesn't have the same support system," Smythe remarked. "But I know having you around has helped him immensely."

"I'm glad," Maddie got up and handed Smythe the report. "It's always good to know I've helped someone out."

"I'll go over these and let you know my thoughts when you get back," Smythe said holding up the report.

"Thank you," Maddie replied, going into her desk for her bag. "I'll be back as soon as I can."

Meanwhile at his flat, Jared was just waking up. Almost as soon as he opened his eyes, he closed them tight. His head was throbbing and he felt nauseous. What on earth had possessed him to drink as much as he had last night? All that pent up sexual frustration as a result of one Madeline Weasley had finally gotten to him and he'd needed a release.

The release of that frustration was currently stirring next to him. She had blonde hair and blue eyes much like Maddie- which was the main reason he'd picked her up. Jared had no idea what her name was- only that they'd shagged three times the previous night.

It took him only a few moments to realise that the knocking he kept hearing in his head was actually someone knocking on the door.

"What time is it?" the girl beside him asked groggily.

"I don't know," he mumbled reaching over for his boxers that he'd thrown on the floor.

"Someone's at your door," she said turning back over and closing her eyes.

"Jared?" Maddie called out from the other side of the front door. "It's me, Maddie. Are you here?"

"Shite," Jared stumbled over the side of the bed. "Get in the loo over there!" he hissed to the girl in his bed.

"What?' she asked grumpily. "I'm trying to sleep."

"Get in the bloody loo," he pulled on her arm.

"Hey!" she protested as he unceremoniously pulled her out of the bed. "What's going on here? Wait!"

"Just get in there," Jared said through clenched teeth. "And don't make a sound!"

"Is that your girlfriend?" the girl started to ask but he'd pushed her into the loo and closed the door.

"Jared?" Maddie called out again.

"One minute!" he called, wincing at how loud his voice was as he pulled his boxers on. He purposely left his shirt off as he went to the door and pulled it open.

Maddie's hand was raised as she was about to knock again when he'd swung the door open.

"Hi," she said with a slight smile.

"Hey," he said forcing a smile onto his face. "What brings you by?"

Maddie stared quizzically at him. "You didn't show up this morning. Smythe and I have been very worried."

"Oh shite," Jared grimaced as if he were really upset. "I just... I had a hard time getting out of bed this morning. Last night... it was just..." he shook his head.

"What?" Maddie asked concern etched across her pretty features. "Jared?"

"I ran into Cordelia last night," he said quietly. "She was out having dinner with another bloke- it was as if we never happened at all."

"Oh Jared," Maddie said sympathetically. She stepped into his apartment and put her hand on his arm. "That couldn't have been easy."

"It was really horrible," Jared sighed. "I have to admit I didn't take it well. I went to the pub down the way and got myself pissed."

Maddie could only shake her head. "You loved her very much, didn't you?"

"I thought she was the only girl for me," Jared replied mournfully.

"You can't think like that," Maddie said taking a seat on his sofa. She looked earnestly over at him. "There's someone out there for you Jared. I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason and maybe you and Cordelia just weren't right for each other. There's someone else out there for you."

"I hope so," Jared said with a meaningful look. He stretched, arching his back and showing off his muscular physique.

Maddie looked away suddenly very aware how little clothes Jared had on. It made her a little uncomfortable which she knew was completely silly.

"I'm sorry I made you worry," Jared replied, reaching for his t-shirt. "I just had a hard time getting out of bed."

"It's okay," Maddie reassured him. "I just hope you realise that you don't have to handle this alone, you know."

"I don't?" Jared asked.

"No," Maddie said smiling at him. "You can always come and talk to me. I wish you'd have stopped by my flat last night instead of getting pissed at the pub."

"I thought you were still on holiday," Jared replied, sitting next to her.

"Not anymore," she told him. "And I always make time for my friends whether I'm on holiday or not."

"You are incredible," he said squeezing her hand.

Maddie smiled. "So are you."

"You're sweet too," Jared grinned at her. "I already feel better."

"Do you think you'll be coming in today?" Maddie asked.

"Give me an hour?" Jared asked. "I really need to clean myself up."

"Okay," she said. "I'll cover for you with Smythe. I'll just tell her you were ill."

"You really are the best," Jared touched her cheek briefly and was pleased to see her blush.

"I-I better get back," she said getting to her feet. "We'll catch up when you come in, okay?"

"Sure," Jared replied. "I'll be glad to have you back Mads. It was hard to concentrate these past few weeks while you were gone."

Maddie grinned and pecked him on the cheek before walking out.

The girl in the bathroom came out at the sound of the front door closing. She'd covered herself with a towel and she didn't look all that pleased to be stowed away in a loo.

"Do you mind telling me what that was about?" she asked.

"Don't worry about it," Jared said coolly.

"Who was that?" the girl asked motioning to the door. "Last night, you said you weren't seeing anyone."

"I'm not," Jared replied. "Why do you care if I am anyway?"

The girl looked down at the carpet and then back up at him. "Well because of what happened last night..."

"We shagged," Jared said, stripping off his dirty clothes unashamedly.

"But we talked," the girl said defensively. "Jared, we..."

"We what?" Jared asked, rubbing his hand through his spiky hair.

"We connected," she said inching closer to him. "You said so yourself..."

She touched his bare stomach and Jared felt the familiar stirrings inside. "We did sort of connect didn't we?" he asked, barely concealing his smirk.

"I was thinking we could spend the rest of the day cuddled up in bed," she said smiling up at him. "I'll help you forget that girl."

"Wish I could," Jared said, allowing her to pull him back to the bed. "I've got to get to work though."

"All work and no play," she teased pulling him down on top of her.

"Makes me a dull boy," Jared finished, kissing her.

*** *** ***

With less than two weeks to go to her wedding, Frankie thought she'd be going mad. It was quite the contrary- Drew and Darla had everything planned down to the very last detail and all Frankie had to do was look over the plans with them.

"Having you two help me was one of the best decisions I ever made," Frankie said. "You both are a godsend."

"Well it helps that you're not just a client," Drew said smiling at her. "We've known you forever and we wanted to make sure your wedding was everything you'd ever dreamed of, Frankie."

"Thank you both so much," Frankie hugged them. "I never thought I'd be so excited about my wedding. Of course I never actually thought I'd get married."

"Neither did we," Darla joked.

"That's not true," Drew said. "We just never knew who the groom would be. Let's see there was Pete, Chris, Tim, Will, Andre, Trevor, Will again, Steven, Nigel, and Will again.... "

"Will won out," Frankie giggled. "He is the absolute best."

"That he is," Darla agreed. "And you are going to have the prettiest flower girls. Mia and Caroline look so cute in their dresses."

"They are so cute," Frankie grinned. "And they get along so well. When they're together it's like they've been best friends all their life. And Will's two nephews as the ring bearers are wonderful as well."

"And his parents are so easy to work with," Drew said making some last minute notes in her planner.

"They're really nice," Frankie said, looking over the list they'd compiled one more time. "I mean, you'd think after what happened on Christmas that things would be all awkward but they treat me like one of the family."

"Well it helps that you're very charming," Darla said. "It's hard not to love you."

"Thanks," Frankie grinned. "I think so too."

Darla looked over something. "Um, Frankie...there is something I wanted to ask you about..."

"What might that be?" Frankie asked, sitting back and pulling her knees up to her chest.

Drew and Darla exchanged a look. "It's about your friend Alicia. She, um...well she had some ideas."

"Ideas?" Frankie asked. "About what- she didn't say anything about Will did she? I thought those two were finally getting used to each other--"

"No," Drew said shaking her head. "It's not about Will. You know how Alicia's the maid of honour and Will's brother Jack is best man?"

"Yes," Frankie drummed her fingers on the table.

"Okay," Drew said. "Apparently, Alicia doesn't think Jack is compatible with her."

"She said she thinks that she and Jack clash," Darla said trying not to laugh as she said so. "She thinks that because he's shorter than she is that it will look wrong as they walk down the aisle together."

"She wanted us to switch him with Jon," Drew said.

"She's the bloody maid of honour and he's the best man," Frankie rolled her eyes. "I'll talk to her. There won't be any switching."

"That wasn't her only suggestion," Drew said biting her bottom lip.

"Do I even want to know?" Frankie asked.

"She gave us a list," Drew said pulling a long piece of parchment from her bag.

"What the bloody hell..." Frankie exclaimed. "This is ridiculous!"

"My personal favourite was having Maddie, Allison and Chiaki already waiting at the altar so that SHE would be the only real attendant," Darla said with a giggle.

"I have half a mind to kick her out of my wedding party," Frankie grumbled, tossing the list into the fireplace.

"I'm sure her heart was in the right place," Drew said. "She did say she wanted to make your wedding day the best."

"Alicia cares in her own strange way," Frankie shook her head. "I guess I'm just glad she and Will are finally being civil to each other."

"So I take it you don't want us mentioning her suggestions to Will?" Drew asked.

"If you two don't mind, I'd like to pretend she never made any suggestions at all." Frankie said. "I'll talk to her tonight about it."

Drew nodded. "The caterers sent this over for your approval. This is the rehearsal dinner menu."

"This is perfect," Frankie nodded. "Exactly what Will and I wanted."

"So no changes then?" Drew asked.

"None that I can see," Frankie said as she heard a knock on the door. "I bet that's Will."

"You're not trying on your dress are you?" Will asked his hand over his eyes as he came inside.

"No you goof," Frankie pulled his hand down and gave him a kiss. "Do you think I'd have let you in if I was?"

"Probably not," Will said. "How is my bride-to-be today?"

"She's just wonderful," Frankie kissed him again. "Drew and Darla are in the kitchen with me going over last minute plans."

"Oh great," Will said smiling. He followed Frankie into the kitchen. "I got the strangest owl today."

"You did?" Frankie asked as he greeted Drew and Darla.

"Yeah," Will said shaking his head. "Alicia sent me a letter signing Jon's praises. It was the strangest thing."

Frankie closed her eyes before her fiancé could see her roll them. "Just ignore it." she said. "Alicia's just being a pain in the arse."

"You don't have to tell me twice," Will said. "How are things going in wedding central?"

"Smooth and on schedule," Drew smiled at him.

"That's what we like to hear," Will said grinning at them.

"We were just the best choice to organise this for you guys in six months," Darla replied. "And of course aside from money, you'll give us glowing recommendations to anyone who asks."

"Of course," Will said. "I already recommended you two to some of my colleagues at work."

Darla squealed. "That's fantastic."

"And that's not even the best news," Frankie said grinning at her two friends. "They're going to move back to London!"

"You've been talking to Maddie," Drew said laughing.

"Yes I have," Frankie said smugly. "She's extra excited about it."

"Are you kidding me?" Darla asked. "She's already picked out two flats that she thinks would be perfect for us in her building."

Frankie laughed. "Speaking of building," she grinned at Will.

"Has Frankie told you we found a house?" Will asked.

"You did?" Darla asked excitedly.

"We'll be moving in after we get home from our honeymoon," Frankie said. "In the meantime, Will's lease runs out at the end of next week so he'll be moving his things in here until we settle in."

"You'll have to take us for a tour," Drew said. "When we have some extra time."

"Extra time?" Will asked. "I'm familiar with that..."

"You were familiar with that," Frankie said. "Before you got engaged to me. Now all your extra time is MY time."

"Doesn't that go both ways?" Will asked.

"Of course it does," Frankie hugged him.

"You're lying," he said laughing. "But somehow I don't seem to mind."

Drew shook her head at her twin. "Suddenly I get the feeling that they're the only two people in the room."

"I think that might be our cue to leave," Darla said with a wink.

"You guys don't have to go yet," Frankie said. "We do too know you're both here."

"Good," Drew said. "Because we're going to have to steal you away..."

"Only if I let her go," Will grinned licentiously.

"You get to come too," Darla said. "We have a special treat for you..."

"The caterers wanted to get your opinions on the dessert choices..." Drew said.

"Samples?" Will asked. "I'm already there."

"You sound like a Weasley," Drew said laughing.

"Speaking of Weasley," Frankie grinned. "How much longer is Maddie going to be one?"

Darla giggled. "I don't know, but it will be nice to plan the wedding of one of our family members."

"She and Ethan are so in love," Frankie said. "They're so sweet together. And it's so fun since she's fancied him since she was a kid."

"Makes you think it was meant to be," Drew said.

"It totally is," Frankie replied. "Just like me and Will."

"Let's go eat, before we get too mushy," Darla said. "Food..."

"Food is always good," Will replied.

"William, I think you're going to fit in just fine," Darla said.

*** *** ***

Harry and Hermione were enjoying a early evening dinner and looking forward to having the house to themselves. Of course, that was how Hermione had put it to Harry when Saffron had asked if she could go out on a double date with R.J. and Alexa.

Trying to enjoy was the operative phrase as Saffron kept coming in and out of the kitchen asking her mother's opinion on outfits.

"Do you like the green shirt?" Saffron asked holding it against her chest. "Or do you think I look better in this pink one?"

"I've always liked you in pink," Hermione said.

"I like the green one," Harry chimed in as that was the one that covered up more.

Saffron sighed. "I hate this pre date stuff. I'll figure it out when Alexa gets here!"

Saffron walked out of the kitchen and Hermione shook her head.

"You," she said looking at her husband. "Are lucky she's so jumpy or she'd see right through you..."

"I can't help it," Harry whined. "My baby girl is dating. This makes me a nervous wreck."

"Okay Neville," Hermione said sweetly.

"I didn't say I was going to go all psycho," Harry grumbled.

"Just think of that thing I promised to do when we're alone," Hermione said.

Harry shook his head and grinned. "Are you using sex to try and take my mind off this?"

"Maybe," Hermione said with a shrug. "Does that offend you?"

"Not at all," Harry wound his arms around her waist. "My rabbit wife..."

Saffron came rushing back into the kitchen carrying two more outfits and groaned when she saw her parents. "Could you two please stop for two minutes? Or at least wait until I'm out of the house..."

"What is it you want me to see sweetheart?" Hermione laughed, disentangling herself from her husband's embrace.

"Do you think a dress would be too much?" she asked. "I mean we're only going for dinner and a movie, but do you think a dress would be too much? Or should I wear something less formal?"

"I'd go a little less formal Saffy," Hermione stroked a hair off her daughter's forehead. "You're just going for pizza right?"

"Right," Saffron replied. "But he hasn't seen me in a few days and I want to ...well, I want to look my best. Were you ever this nervous before a date?"

Harry snorted. "You should have seen your mum before she and I did our dance for the Sheldrake. Sweating bullets she was."

"Was that because of Daddy or the dance?" Saffron asked.

"A little of both," Hermione smiled. "At least he was finally being a gentleman by that point."

"Maybe my night will turn out as well as yours did," Saffron said causing Harry to choke on his drink.

Hermione began to laugh. "Something like that." she said. "We'll send Alexa up when she gets here all right?"

"Okay," Saffron said. "Thanks Mum."

"I don't want her going," Harry said as soon as she was out of earshot.

"Because she said she hoped her night turns out as well as mine did that night we danced at the Sheldrake?" Hermione asked. "Harry, she has no idea that was the night you and I first..."

"And she's not going to do that!" Harry said. "Not ever!"

Hermione rolled her eyes. "I highly doubt she'd do that tonight with a boy she's only known for such a short time..."

"You knew me for a week," Harry pointed out.

"I wasn't 15 when I met you either," Hermione pointed out. "Besides, she's not going to be alone. She'll have R.J. and Alexa with her."

"She's just my baby Hermione," Harry said. "I've been dreading this ever since she was born."

"I know," Hermione said. "But she's a smart girl and we can trust her. Remember how you promised?"

"I know, I know." Harry replied. "And he's a nice kid. She could be going out with some loser."

"Exactly," Hermione said giving him a kiss. "Feeling better?"

"A little," Harry said. "Even better if you keep kissing me..."

Upstairs, Saffron was staring at the two outfits she'd narrowed it down to when she heard a knock on her bedroom door.

"Is that you Lex?" she called out, sprinting for the door in her knickers.

"Yes," Alexa called back.

"I need your help," Saffron opened the door and yanked her inside. "I have no idea what I should wear!"

"It's nice to see you too," Alexa said giggling. Saffron's room which was always neat looked like a storm had hit it.

"I'm sorry," Saffron apologised. "This is just the first time I've been out since my grandpa died and I want it to be fun."

"It will be," Alexa said giving her a hug. "So what are your choices?"

"Well my mum told me not to wear a dress," Saffron said. "And you're wearing jeans, so I will too. But should I wear pink or green?"

Alexa looked thoughtfully at the two shirts in question. "I think the pink would look really good especially with the tan you picked up on holiday."

"Okay," Saffron said, disappearing in her closet to get dressed. "I don't know why I'm so nervous Lex."

"Maybe because you really fancy him?" Alexa suggested.

"He's just really sweet," Saffron said, coming out and grabbing her comb. "When he called me the other day he was so nervous at first."

"He was really concerned when he'd found out you'd already gone home," Alexa said.

"What else did he say?" Saffron asked interestedly, trying to decide on whether or not she'd wear her hair down.

"Just that he hoped that you were doing okay and he was worried that he'd never get to talk to you again," Alexa replied. "And he practically looked like R.J. had handed him the world when he gave him your number."

Saffron grinned. "This is so great Lex. We both have boyfriends!"

"Yes we do," Alexa giggled. "And this is the first time I've seen mine since your grandfather's funeral."

"You were so great that day for me Lex," Saffron said. "I was such a bloody mess, especially when I first walked in with my parents and saw my grandpa lying there in the coffin." she bit her lower lip.

"I know how close you were," Alexa said. "And you’re my best friend. I wanted to be there for you like you've always been there for me."

"I try," Saffron hugged her friend. "You're the best Lex. R.J. thinks so too." she grinned at her.

"You think?" Alexa asked.

"Oh he told me so," Saffron said, finally deciding to leave her hair down.

"He did?" Alexa asked not able to hide the smile on her face. "Did you guys have fun yesterday hanging out?"

"Yeah we did," Saffron said, putting on a bit of lip gloss. "We went into Diagon Alley for some ice cream and then we hung out at the Quidditch shop for a bit."

"While you got to do that, I got to put icing on about a thousand cupcakes," Alexa said shaking her head.

"With Ben Ben," Saffron fluttered her eyelashes.

"It's nice working with a friend," Alexa said. "It makes the time pass a lot quicker. Until he decided to throw flour at me..."

"He's such a dork sometimes," Saffron replied.

"He's not so bad," Alexa said.

"Would you be talking about me?" R.J. asked peeking around the door.

"Hello?" Saffron asked glaring at him. "Have you heard of knocking. I could have been starkers!"

"A bonus," R.J. teased.

Saffron rolled her eyes. "Speaking of dorks..."

"And so the bliss ends," Alexa smiled as she hugged her boyfriend.

"You smell like chocolate," R.J. said with a laugh.

"Is that so bad?" Alexa asked.

"No," he said giving her a kiss.

"I'd love to work in your mum's bakery," Saffron said. "I'd love to sample all that great food."

"We could always use a hand," Alexa said. "And she loves when me and my friends help out."

"I might take you up on that," Saffron said.

Alexa stifled a yawn. "Sorry, I'm knackered. Mum had Ben and me working all day."

R.J. hid his displeasure at that. "Maybe I could help out too," he offered. "I wouldn't tell my dad though. He'd have me clean your bakery out."

"I'd never get anything done if you were there," Alexa said giggling.

"We would too," R.J. gave her a kiss.

"You would not," Saffron said. "I seem to remember two of my friends who were supposed to help me clean up in Brighton and they happened to 'get lost'."

"I did get lost," R.J. said. "You said the same thing about Sean."

"And you and R.J. weren't exactly speaking at the time," Alexa pointed out. "Remember how you kept asking me to tell R.J. to hand you the cleaning spray? And then R.J. would ask me to tell the brat to hand him the dust cloth."

Saffron and R.J. looked at each other and laughed. "How childish can you get?" Saffron asked.

"Let's not find out again," Alexa said. "Can I borrow a clip? I'm thinking of wearing my hair up."

"Sure," Saffron handed her friend a few of them. "R.J. we'll be finished in a minute if you want to wait downstairs."

"Is that your subtle way of telling me to get out?" R.J. asked.

"And here I was thinking you weren't very smart," Saffron deadpanned.

"Fine," he said shaking his head. "I can take a hint. Your parents are eating Chinese takeaway...I'll see if they'll let me nick an egg roll."

"They probably will," Saffron said. "But save some room for pizza."

"I always have room for pizza," he called out as he left the room.

Alexa finished clipping back her hair and groaned as she looked in the mirror. "It still looks horrible."

"It does not," Saffron said. "It's just really humid out and it's probably because of that."

Alexa shrugged and pulled out the clips decided a simple ponytail would probably work the best.

"How's mine look?" Saffron asked. "I really haven't done anything with it lately. It’s a bit frizzy…"

"Yours always looks great," Alexa said. "And I really like it curly like that, Saf."

"I'm all natural these days," Saffron grinned.

Alexa giggled. "So is Sean meeting us here or at the restaurant?"

"He's meeting us at the restaurant," Saffron replied, sitting on the edge of her bed.

"Are you nervous?" Alexa asked.

"Yeah," Saffron replied. "He's such a nice guy Lex. I didn't think I wanted to bother with having a boyfriend but it's really fun when we get to do things like this all together."

"I know," Alexa said smiling at her friend. "It's really great to go out on double dates like this."

"Ready?" Saffron asked, wiping her palms on the comforter.

Alexa nodded and followed her friend downstairs. They found R.J. sitting at the kitchen table with Harry and Hermione.

"R.J.," Saffron said her mouth dropping when she saw he had a huge plate in front of him. He looked up innocently at her.

"What- they asked if I was hungry!" R.J. replied.

"That's like asking him if he's breathing Dad," Saffron said laughing.

Harry smiled at his daughter and her friend. "You girls look gorgeous," he said.

"Thanks Mr. Potter," Alexa said. "I really do hope you and Mrs. Potter like the cupcakes. I actually made those myself."

"You made cupcakes?" R.J. asked, his eyes lighting up.

Alexa nodded. "All day today actually."

"Save one for me?" R.J. asked Harry.

"I can't promise anything," Harry said looking at Hermione. "She's already had two."

"They're chocolate chip," Hermione said defensively.

"Don't tell my sister about them," R.J. grinned.

"Oh that's right- Maddie will eat a chocolate chip anything," Saffron laughed.

"I hope you all have a great time," Harry said. "Do you have some Muggle money R.J.?"

"Yes I do," R.J. replied.

"Good," Harry said. "Saffy, I want you to take your mother's mobile with you."

Saffron nodded and stuffed it in her bag. "Want me to leave some bread crumbs so I'll know how to make it back?"

"Don't be a smart arse," Harry replied. "You call home at least once tonight sometime."

"Yes sir," Saffron said giving him a hug. "Thank you for letting me go Daddy."

"You're welcome baby," Harry kissed the top of her head. "You tell your young man to be good, you hear?"

"I will," Saffron said giving her mother a hug too. "You two behave too."

"Don't you worry about us," Hermione smiled at the three teenagers. "Have a great time."

Saffron, Alexa and R.J. set off to meet Sean. It was quite a contrast to the last time the three of them had attempted going out together.

Sean was already waiting outside the pub when the three of them arrived; he handed Saffron a light pink carnation. "Hi Saffy," he smiled at her nervously. “This is for you.”

"Thanks," she said smiling at him.

"You're making me look bad," R.J. teased. "I didn't bring flowers."

Alexa laughed. "You can make up for it later."

"Shall we go in?" Saffron asked.

"Sure," Sean took Saffron's hand in his. "Have you lot ever been here before?"

"I've come here loads of times with my parents," Saffron said.

"This is my first time," Alexa replied.

"They've got the best pizza in London," Sean answered.

"They really do," Saffron agreed sliding in next to him in a corner booth.

"How about you R.J.?" Sean asked. "They have this amazing deep dish here..."

"Deep dish?" R.J. asked.

"Yeah it's enormous," Sean said. "You up for it?"

"I'm in," R.J. said with a grin.

"How about you girls?" Sean asked. "If you like tomato sauce and pepperoni with mushrooms and loads of cheese, we might all want to have this."

"I'm in too," Saffron replied. "I've seen it but I never ordered it and I'm starving."

Alexa started to answer, but yawned. She blushed a bright pink. "I'm sorry..."

"Are we boring you?" R.J. teased, nudging her.

She shook her head. "No, I'm just tired from work is all. And I'd love to have some of that pizza Sean."

"Great," Sean said, "I'll go order for all of us."

"Okay," R.J. said. "Thanks mate."

"I'll go with you," Saffron said, leaving her bag and flower on the table as she slid out behind him.

"So how are you doing?" Sean asked as they walked up to the bar. "Really..."

"Better," Saffron said. "Especially now that I'm out and about again. R.J. and I hung out a few days ago and that really helped."

"So the two of you are getting along now?" Sean teased.

"For now," Saffron smiled back. "He's really been great for me since my grandfather died."

"I wish I could have been there for you too," Sean apologised.

"I'm just glad R.J. gave you my number," Saffron said as they sat down at the bar. "I felt really bad when I realised I didn't even get to say goodbye. I was really a mess when we first got the news."

"It's understandable," Sean said. "You told me how close you were. It couldn't have been easy to hear that news."

"I've been trying to spend as much time with my grandmother as I can," Saffron answered. "We all kept hoping she'd move in but she wants to stay at her house."

"My grandfather was the same way when my Gran died," Sean confided. "Dad wanted him to come stay with us, but he refused to give up their house."

"I guess I can see where she's coming from," Saffron replied, tracing her finger over the wood pattern of the bar. "I mean, if it was me, I'd want to stay in the place I lived in with my husband."

"Maybe someday she'll change her mind," Sean said touching her hand. "And I'm sure she appreciates you coming round to see her."

"I hope so," Saffron said. "It's been hard because at first she didn't really say much to any of us."

"She was probably in shock," Sean said.

Saffron nodded. "So how's Matthew?" she asked, changing the subject.

"Good," Sean said with a grin. "He's made captain of next term's football team and he's obsessed."

"He's like R.J. is with Quidditch," Saffron replied. "I am SO going to be on the team at school this next year."

"You pretty good at it, eh?" Sean asked.

"It's sort of in my blood," Saffron replied. "My dad got on the team his first year at our school- and first years never make House teams."

"That's really good," Sean said admiringly. "Did your sister play?"

"No she hates flying," Saffron giggled as Sean finally flagged down the bartender to place their order. "Ethan loves it though. He can play a mean pickup game."

Sean placed their order and then he and Saffron walked back to the table. "He can play a mean game of volleyball."

"He was just really ticked off that day," Saffron explained. "Normally he wouldn't play so hard."

"Good to know," Sean said as they sat back down.

"Our order should be up soon," he told R.J. and Alexa.

"Great," Alexa replied, smiling at R.J.. She was glad she got to have at least a few minutes alone with him that evening.

"So how did you and Alexa meet?" Sean asked R.J..

"School," R.J. answered. "I was trying to break up with your cousin actually, and she sort of posed as my new girlfriend... and then she became my real one."

"I'm sure Chris wasn't too pleased with that," Sean said laughing.

"Not even a bit," Saffron grinned. "It was fabulous."

"And how about you two?" Sean asked. "You and Alexa have known each other since...?"

"Since our first day on the Hogwarts Express," Alexa said. "I'm Muggleborn so I didn't know much about anything really. I didn't know where I was supposed to go or what I was supposed to do."

"And I saw her standing there all lost and alone, and I didn't really know anyone either aside from R.J., my brother or Maddie, so I invited her to sit in my compartment with me," Saffron said. "And by the end of the train ride, we were best friends."

Saffron briefly explained to Sean about the four houses at Gryffindor.

"It was pretty much a given Saffy was going to get into Gryffindor," Alexa said. "But I was so nervous and for minute there I thought they were going to put me in Hufflepuff..."

"But she's brave and loyal, so they stuck her with us in Gryffindor," R.J. slid his arm around her.

"I can understand the loyal part, but I don't think I'm very brave," Alexa said.

"You obviously faced against my cousin," Sean smiled at her. "Christina's a terror when she's in a mood. It takes courage to stand up to her."

"I never really stood up to her," Alexa said hastily. "She called me Saffy's sidekick and I just told her I was no one's sidekick. That's not very brave."

R.J. smiled at her. "It's brave enough. If it weren't for you, I'd probably be officially changing my name to Junior by now."

"How did you get mixed up with Chris anyway?" Sean asked. "I'd have run a mile."

"She's cute," R.J. shrugged. "I mean... nothing compared to Lex of course. But she was fun... sometimes."

"I don't imagine the two of you did much talking," Saffron said with a shudder.

"Speaking of talking, how about we move onto another topic?" R.J. asked. "Please?"

Alexa certainly didn't want to talk anymore about Christina Grant and she was glad when the waiter arrived with their drinks. He told them the pizza would be out in a few minutes. Alexa was quiet as she listened to Sean and Saffron talk.

"I'm really glad we got to go out tonight," Sean smiled at Saffron as he slid his hand over hers under the table. "I'll miss you when you're back at school."

"We can write to each other," Saffron said. "I'm sure that cousin of yours has mentioned owls before right?"

"Right," Sean said. "And maybe we can meet up over Christmas holiday and the like?"

"That'd be great," Saffron said smiling at him. "We'll have to take him ice skating with us, right Lex?"

"What?" Alexa said distractedly.

"Ice skating," Saffron said. "We always go during winter hols."

"Oh right," Alexa said nodding. "Of course. Yes, we always do that. That'd be fun."

"You okay?" R.J. asked quietly as Saffron and Sean continued talking in hushed tones to each other.

"I'm just tired from working so much," she replied.

"Why don't you take a day off?" he asked. "We could go to the park or something... or you could show me your tree house again."

Alexa fought off the lingering insecurity she felt. It was stupid to feel that way about a girl that R.J. told her he no longer fancied.

"I have Tuesday off," Alexa said finding it hard not to smile back at her boyfriend.

"What a coincidence. So do I," R.J. joked.

Alexa hit him on the arm. "That might be because you're not working this summer."

"Oh yeah," R.J. laughed. "We'll do whatever you want then. Just spend the day together. Will that be all right with your parents?"

"It should be," Alexa replied. "I'd have to check, but I think it will be okay. They're...they're going to be out of town. That's the reason I'm going to be off."

"They let you stay home alone?" R.J. asked, impressed. His parents still either made his Nana come over or he had to go stay at the Burrow when they left overnight.

"It's just for one night," Alexa said. "And Ben's parents are going to check on me. They wanted me to stay with my aunt, but I told them I'd be okay for one night."

"That's so cool," R.J. commented.

Alexa laughed. "Well, don't tell my folks this, but I'll probably be listening for every creak on the floor and the sound of the wind at the window will probably leave me clutching my pillow and diving under the bed....brave Gryffindor, eh?"

"Maybe you should see if you can stay at Saffy's," R.J. suggested.

"What's that?" Saffron asked breaking away from her conversation with Sean. "Lex, you want to stay at my house?"

"Well no- it's just my parents are going out of town on Tuesday but I didn't want to trouble you right now- I know you and your family have enough going on." Alexa said. "I'll be fine by myself."

"You're more than welcome to stay with us," Saffron said. She winked at her friend. "Or you could have Junior sleep over."

Alexa blushed. "I couldn't do that," she said, feeling her shyness start to creep in.

"I was teasing," Saffron said reassuringly. "But you are more than welcome to stay at our place. Mum and Dad would love to have you."

"You mean that?" Alexa asked. "I really don't want to be any trouble..."

"You are my best friend in the whole world," Saffron said. "You are always welcome at my house, you know that."

"Thanks Saffy," Alexa said. "I'll talk to my parents and let you know okay?"

Saffron nodded and looked over at R.J.. "Sorry Junior. No sleepover for you."

"Boo," R.J. grinned at Sean. "Guess we'll have to find something else to do mate. I can show you what Quidditch is like."

"Or you, Sean and Matt can hang out and play football," Saffron suggested earning a glare from R.J..

Sean laughed. "Matt lives a bit far from here, so you're safe." he said to R.J.. "We don't have these fast modes of transportation that you lot do."

"Driving's fun though," Saffron said. "I can't wait to learn how."

"Your mum and dad are going to teach you?" R.J. asked. "Think they'd show me a thing or two?"

Saffron giggled. "You? Drive a car?"

"I know how to fly," R.J. said defensively. "Why not learn how to drive a car? Especially if I want to take Lexie here out on a real date."

"You could take the tube," Saffron said. "Or a bus. It would probably be a whole lot safer for the both of you..."

"Oh come on Saf," R.J. pleaded. "Please ask them? I promised to help you with some pointers on flying this weekend didn't I?"

"Okay," Saffron said relenting. "I'll see which one of my parents feels brave enough to do it."

"Amazing," Sean replied. "You both aren't at each other's throats yet you just had a little argument..."

"We're quite good at that," Saffron said with a grin. "We've had loads of practise over the years."

"I guess," Sean laughed. "This is great though. I had fun with you lot back in Brighton."

"Even when Saf and I were at each others throats?" R.J. joked. He noticed that Alexa seemed awfully quiet and he squeezed her hand.

"This is more fun," Sean grinned. "Hey does anyone want a refill?"

"I do," Saffron said. "I'll go up to the bar with you again."

"Check on that pizza too," R.J. said. "I'm starving."

Saffron and Sean left them alone and R.J. turned and looked at his girlfriend. "You okay?" he asked softly.

"I'm really just tired," Alexa said softly.

"You seem more than just tired," R.J. replied, brushing a stray strand of hair out of her eye.

"It's nothing really," she said biting her bottom lip.

"Lexie," R.J. said, leaning in just a bit. "You can tell me anything you know..."

"I know," she whispered. "I just..."

"Just what?" he asked, stroking her cheek. "Lex talk to me."

She couldn't bring herself to tell him about the things Ben had been insinuating to her about R.J.---about how he was older and how he'd be playing the field and probably had more experience than she did. And the last thing she wanted to be was some girl who needed reassuring all the time. But she couldn't help thinking what someone like him was doing with someone like her.

"Lex," R.J. looked concerned.

"I just miss being able to see you everyday," Alexa finally said, which was mostly true, but it wasn't the reason why she was quiet tonight.

"I miss it too," R.J. said. "We'll have to do something about it."

"You could move into the tree house," she suggested. "Mind you, it would be a little cramped."

R.J. laughed. "I'm tempted."

Alexa laughed too feeling more at ease. "I could sneak you food and water and I could snog you anytime I wanted too."

"You can snog me anytime you want anyway," R.J. said. "You're my girl."

Alexa smiled. "I love you, R.J.."

"I love you too," R.J. tucked her hair behind her ear and gave her a kiss.

Sean cleared his throat as he and Saffron returned to the table with their refills. Their waiter trailed behind them with the pizza.

"Sorry to interrupt your snog session," Saffron said glad to see Alexa smiling again. She hoped to find out what was truly wrong with her friend when they were alone.

"We'll just pick up the slack later," R.J. grinned back, his arm still around her. "And that smells bloody fabulous."

"You do know you'll have to share right?" Saffron asked as the waiter set the pizza down on the table. "This isn't just for you and we get the scraps."

"Maybe we should have ordered two," R.J. joked. "Sean, mate, this was a brilliant idea. This deep dish thing is great. My dad is going to go mad when he sees a pizza like this."

"Uncle Ron would love this," Saffron agreed as Sean cut into the pie.

"I'll have to bring him here," R.J. said as he pulled a piece out for his girlfriend.

"It must be love," Saffron said. "He's serving you first, Lex."

"It's all that fudge I bring him," Alexa smiled. "He's already full."

"We'd better hurry and eat if we're going to make that movie," Sean was looking at his watch.

"More snacks at the movie," R.J. said rubbing his hands together. "Popcorn..."

"With loads of butter," Saffron chimed in.

"Loads of salty butter," Sean grinned. "Wouldn't be a movie without it."

"I have some of my mum's biscuits in my purse," Alexa revealed.

"That's for me right?" Saffron asked sweetly. "Not for your boyfriend who hasn't known you nearly as long as I have..."

Alexa laughed. "I brought enough for everyone." she said.

"I think we see why R.J. loves you so much," Sean said meaning it as a joke, but the smile on Alexa's face faltered a bit.

"Because she feeds me well?" R.J. asked with a grin. "Nah, she's great anyway. The bakery bit's just an extra benefit."

"Is that what you want to do when you get out of school Alexa?" Sean asked conversationally. "Take after your Mum?"

"I'm not sure yet," Alexa replied, picking at her slice of pizza.

"I know what you mean," Sean said nodding. "I still have no idea what I want to do and my mum and dad are always telling me to start thinking about it."

"You have plenty of time," Saffron replied.

"I'd like to do something with music, but my parents think that it's not something I could make a decent living at," Sean said with a shrug. "No matter what would make me happiest, you know?"

"You can," Saffron replied. "Ask my brother in law Nick."

"Maybe we could have him talk to my folks," Sean said before taking a bite of his pizza.

"I've known what I wanted to do since I was little," R.J. said.

"Quidditch," Saffron said. "Same here."

"Maybe someday Saf and I will play together professionally," R.J. said grinning across the table at her.

"Especially if I'm captain," Saffron grinned back. "I aim to be at the top."

"How can you be captain when I'm going to be captain?" R.J. asked.

"You're captain of Gryffindor's team this year." Saffron said. "I'll do such a good job after this that they'll automatically make me captain of whatever team I'm on after school."

"Captain of the Egomaniacs more like," R.J. replied, pulling the last slice of pizza towards him.

"You put up with this every year, eh?" Sean asked Alexa.

Alexa laughed. "They're usually worse than this."

"You should both be glad we're not fighting," Saffron said loftily.

"We are," Alexa assured her friend. "We were just making a general comment is all Saffy."

"Come on," Sean said. "We should really be getting to the theatre. They're having a double Bond feature tonight."

"My education begins tonight," Saffron giggled. "Let me just check in with my parents or my dad might show up at the theatre." She pulled her mum's mobile from her bag and quickly dialled the number.

"We'll go pay," R.J. said, motioning to the bar. "We'll be right back."

Sean stifled a laugh as he watched Saffron talk to her parents on the phone.

"No, Dad," Saffron was saying. "It's some bloke named James Bond; he's supposed to be kind of like you only cooler."

Sean laughed. "That's really nice Saffy."

Saffron winked at him and continued to talk to her father. "No, Dad. I didn't say you were old."

"All settled," R.J. said as he and Alexa came back. "Thanks mate." he nodded to Sean, who had passed him money.

"I've got to go Dad," Saffron said. "I love you too. Okay. Tell Mum I’ll tell her everything when I get home."

"Everything okay?" Sean asked as she stuffed the mobile back in her bag.

"Fine," Saffron replied. "He's just being a Dad. You know how it is."

R.J. laughed. "He's a bit overprotective sometimes. But he's got reason to be."

"Saffy's parents are really great," Alexa said.

"Your dad seemed pretty nice when me and Matthew came over for that barbeque," Sean said as they left the pub and began to walk to the theatre.

"My mum had a great deal to do with that," Saffron said taking Sean's hand. "I'm his youngest and my mum seems to think it's hard for him to see me growing up."

"I'm sure it is," Sean replied. "I'm an only child so I have no one else."

"Me too," Alexa said. "But I think that makes my parents more overprotective. And I always wished there was someone else to preoccupy their time with, you know?"

"Exactly," Sean agreed with a grin.

While Sean and Alexa walked together talking about growing up as only children, R.J. took the opportunity to pull Saffron back.

"Is everything okay with Lex?" he asked her in a hushed tone.

"I don't know," Saffron whispered. "She seems sort of quiet tonight- and not just because she's tired.

"I know she's your best friend and you two talk about things," R.J. said. "If she's said anything to you would you tell me? If I've done something wrong..."

"She hasn't said anything to me," Saffron replied. "Earlier she was all excited because she hadn't seen you in a week."

"You don't think that wanker Ben..." R.J. started to say.

"She'd have told me if he did anything," Saffron assured him. "I was going to ask her to stay overnight, and if she can't tonight then Tuesday I'll try and ask her about him okay?"

"I know I've said this before Saffron Grace Potter," R.J. said grinning at her. "But you really are a goddess."

"Flattery will get you everywhere," Saffron laughed.

"I'm sorry for giving you a hard time about him before," R.J. said motioning ahead toward Sean. "I think he's okay. And he makes you happy."

"He's nice," Saffron agreed. "And he likes you for some strange reason."

"What's not to like?" R.J. asked puffing his chest out. "I'm tall, handsome, charming, and completely..."

"Insufferable," Saffron finished before running ahead to join Sean and Alexa.

R.J. laughed and looked ahead at his girlfriend, Saffron and Sean. There was something he hadn't told Alexa about, but he honestly didn't know how she would have found out about that. He was probably worrying over nothing and with Saffron's help, he'd find out what was really troubling Alexa. And he'd do whatever he had to do to make her happy.

Once inside the theatre, Sean and Saffron opted to sit in the back of the crowded room while R.J. and Alexa found two seats together on the other side a few rows up. "I'm glad we get to sit alone," Saffron replied, leaning against him.

"Well Saffron," Sean said looking straight ahead. "I will have you know that I'm very serious about movies. I have no intention of snogging you during this movie so you can keep your hands to yourself and I'd appreciate it if you didn't try and distract me in any way, shape or form..."

"I beg your pardon?" Saffron asked coyly.

"I'm not that kind of bloke," he said simply. "And I don't want you trying to take advantage of me."

"Is that so?" she asked, pressing her lips to his cheek.

"That's so," he said but Saffron smiled triumphantly as she heard the catch in his voice.

"I bet it is," she said softly as the lights went down. She moved her lips down and kissed under his ear, running her nails through his light brown hair.

"I have...seen this movie before though," he reasoned.

"You can tell me about it another time can't you?" Saffron asked.

"Mmmhmm," Sean murmured before turning and looking at her properly. "We should take advantage of this time...alone."

"I agree," Saffron said, leaning in just a bit.

Sean leaned in the rest of the way and pressed his lips to hers.

Saffron immediately ran her hands around the back of his neck and kissed him harder, opening her mouth under his.

Sean cursed the arm rest between them and wished he could pull her onto his lap. He was glad for two things, however. The theatre was dark and this was a long movie.

"I can't wait until I get to go on dates alone with you," Saffron said when they'd pulled apart momentarily.

"Me too," he said smiling at her. "By next summer, right?"

"My parents said when I was sixteen," Saffron said as he rubbed his thumb over her lower lip. "So yes... I hope you'll get to go back to Brighton."

"I'll be there," Sean whispered before kissing her again.

Meanwhile R.J. had slid his arm around Alexa. "I'm glad Saffron forgot about the biscuits," he whispered in her ear.

"I think biscuits are the furthest thing from her mind right about now," Alexa whispered back.

R.J. snorted as he looked back. "I think she's more interested in Sean Grant's tonsils," he sniggered.

"Probably," Alexa admitted resting her head on R.J.'s shoulder.

R.J. kissed the side of her forehead. "So what's this Bond guy about anyway?"

"He's a spy," Alexa explained. "And there are always these beautiful women they like to call 'Bond Girls'."

"Bond Girls," R.J. repeated. "Interesting..."

Alexa giggled. "Already picturing having your own...maybe Weasley Women?"

R.J. grinned. "Sounds good to me," he joked. "Although there's only one Weasley Woman I want." he pulled her closer.

"And who might that be?" Alexa asked softly.

"I'll give you a hint," R.J. said, kissing her gently.

66. Chapter 66

We know a lot of you are wondering why we didn't update per our regular schedule on Saturday. Nothing happened to the two of us, we are both a-okay. We just work very hard on these stories. Nearly everyday of the week for two or three or sometimes four hours a night. We do it because we enjoy it and we hope that you enjoy it too.

We've decided that since we receive thousands of hits each chapter and only 30-35 reviews, that we're only updating once a week. This is not a punishment by any means, but neither of us has the time for all the writing and two updates a week if people can't take a few moments to review. We spend an enormous amount of time writing and it takes mere seconds to leave a comment.

If there is something you don't like, please tell us. If there is a character that you would like to see more of, tell us. If you have questions about characters, ask away. We sometimes get confused with all the characters, too.

We will answer reviews as often as we can- sometimes work and real life commitments keep us from doing so but we promise to try.

We do read each and every one of them and appreciate them more than you know. This isn't just for us that we're speaking out. It's also for the other authors on this site who post their work. If you read, review.

We hope that you all will keep reading- because it's for YOU guys that we keep writing. We just need the feedback to keep going- it's the pat on the back we need.

*

*

*

*

*

That night, Harry woke from a deep sleep and reached over to pull Hermione closer to him. His hand hit her empty pillow and he blinked in the darkness for a few moments before reaching for his glasses and pulling a pair of pyjama trousers on over his boxers.

Heading downstairs, he peeked into the kitchen and their home office before he noticed a small line of light under the library door.

Hermione was curled up one of the sofas with a leather bound photo album open in her lap. Her eyes were red from crying and she looked up guiltily at her husband as he came into the room.

"I couldn't sleep," she said trying to keep her voice from breaking.

"What are you looking at?" Harry asked softly, closing the door behind him and approaching the sofa.

She closed the album. "Nothing. We should probably get back to bed."

Harry put his hand over hers. "You're crying about your father aren't you?" he asked.

Hermione nodded. "I didn't know it was going to be this hard, Harry. I miss him so much."

"Sweetheart, he was your father." Harry replied, stroking her hair off her face. "And he was a great man."

"I've tried to hold it together," she said almost defensively. "I really have for mum, for the children and Lavender. But I just can't seem to accept the fact that he's gone."

"You don't have to hold it together around me," Harry said, his voice soft and reassuring. "I know you're in pain Hermione. I wish there was something I could do about it."

"You have," she said relaxing in his arms. "Just by being here."

Harry kissed the top of her head. "He was really fantastic," he said after a few moments of silence. "We didn't always see eye to eye but when I needed advice about something, he would always listen."

Hermione smiled. "You both came quite a way from how you began."

"Aye," Harry laughed as he stroked her hair. "I still remember how terrified I was when we told him we were moving in together."

"He didn't take it very badly," Hermione said. "Not really."

"Nah," Harry said. "I was more scared the morning I went and told him I wanted to propose. That was right after we had that huge row."

"That was the worst fight we've ever had," Hermione said squeezing his hand.

"And we made up so fast," Harry smiled at her. "I'm glad that Saffy's doing better. I was worried about her those few days after the funeral."

"Me too," Hermione agreed and she opened up the photo album again to the page she'd been looking at when Harry had come into the room. It was a picture of a two-year old Saffron perched on her grandfather's knee waving. "Do you remember how her eyes lit up when he walked into the room?" Hermione asked touching the picture.

"Yeah," Harry smiled down at the album. "She was his girl. They were so alike- he loved having someone who was actually good at golf out there on the course with him."

Hermione felt tears come to her eyes again. "He's never going to see her get married, or have children of her own or play in her first professional match. And he's not going to see Ethan and Maddie get married and start a family of their own or see Katie and Ashley grow up. It's just so bloody unfair, Harry."

"Shhhh..." Harry said. "He'll see them Hermione. He's just watching from somewhere else is all."

"I want to believe that," she said. "But it's just not the same."

"No it's not," Harry agreed. "Death is horrible. I've lost so many people close to me, but it's up to us to pick up the pieces and go on with life. That's what your mum has to do... that's what you've had to do, Lavender... Saffy... all of us."

Hermione nodded and looked down at the picture of her smiling father. "He was the reason, you know. The reason you and I met. If it hadn't been for him, I wouldn't have gone to Hillsdale that summer."

"I'm sure glad you did," Harry grinned at her. "Who knows what I would have done if you hadn't shown up. Things would be so different."

"You'd be Mr. Isabella Marconi probably," Hermione said. "Or even worse...Mr. Ginny Weasley."

Harry grimaced. "I don't think I'd be that desperate. And you're one to talk," he nudged her. "You'd probably married off to that psycho idiot Gordon."

"Perish the thought," Hermione said shaking her head.

"I agree," Harry replied. "We've had a great life though. We have three fantastic kids, two gorgeous granddaughters..."

Hermione turned her head and kissed her husband. "I love you so very much."

"I love you too sweetheart," Harry said, letting his lips linger on hers.

"Thank you for listening," she whispered.

"Anytime," he caressed her cheek. "I miss him too."

"He was proud of you too," Hermione said. "He told me so all the time."

"Did he?" Harry asked. "Never let that on to me."

"Well he said he had to keep up the stern father-in-law routine," Hermione said with a laugh. "He didn't want to upset the balance, you know."

Harry chuckled. "Of course not." he said. "Think Elinore will want to come over for dinner tomorrow night?"

"Depends," Hermione said. "You planning on cooking?"

"Who else is going to?" Harry joked.

"Saffy's not so bad," Hermione said. "She makes a mean sandwich."

"That she does, but I was planning on either a roast or making a casserole," Harry replied. "She'll probably help me."

"I'd love that," Hermione said. "And I'm sure Mum would too."

"Great," Harry said. "I'll go and pick up one of those pumpkin pies from that bakery and we'll make an evening of it."

Hermione closed the album and set it on the table. "We should get to bed."

"Sure," Harry replied. "Saffy home yet?"

"She'd better be," Hermione said getting to her feet. "We can just peek into her room on the way..."

"Right," Harry stuck the album back on the shelf as Hermione put out the lights.

They walked out of the library and back upstairs. There was a light on in Saffron's room, but when they opened the door, they saw their daughter asleep in bed with a book open on her chest.

"That's my girl," Harry smiled as he put out the light and Hermione gently pried the book from their daughter's grasp.

"Sweet dreams," Hermione whispered kissing Saffron's forehead.

"I hope she had a good time," Harry said as he quietly closed the door behind them.

"She'll tell me all about it tomorrow morning," Hermione said. "She really fancies this boy, Harry."

"Long as he treats her right," Harry said, opening their bedroom door for his wife. "I'll be fine with it."

"If he doesn't, he'll have to answer to both of us," Hermione said sliding out of her robe.

Harry dropped his trousers on the chair next to the bed and slid back beneath the sheets. "Come here," he said.

Hermione smiled as she got into bed with her husband.

Harry pulled her close and buried his nose in her hair. "I promise I'll always be here for you," he said as the room was enveloped in darkness. "Anytime you need me."

"I need you now," she whispered.

Harry kissed her gently. "And I'm here," he whispered back. "What do you want me to do?"

"Just hold me," she replied.

"Anything else?" he asked, pulling her closer.

Hermione kissed him softly; no words were necessary.

*** *** ***

Chiaki sat on the sofa in the sitting room looking at her twins wondering why in the world they wouldn't stop crying. She'd changed them. She'd fed them. She'd even made the goofiest faces she could muster, but nothing seemed to do the trick.

To make it even worse, she was dealing with this on her own. Toshio was dancing in a production in Glasgow and wasn't due back until Tuesday. Chiaki wondered what on earth had made her think she could actually do this-alone.

Salvation came with the sound of the doorbell. Chiaki didn't know who it was on the other side of that door, but perhaps they could help. They certainly couldn't make things worse.

"Hi Aunt Chiaki!" Caroline said brightly when Chiaki opened the door.

Allison grinned at her sister. "We were just in the neighbourhood checking out Caroline's new school….Chi? Is that the twins crying?"

"They won't stop," Chiaki ran her hands through her hair. "I'm at my wit's end Allie- I don't know how to get them to quiet down!"

"They probably miss their Daddy," Caroline said simply as she helped Emma into the house.

Allison set her bag down and gave her sister a hug. "Want me to try?"

"I'll do anything for you if you can get them to stop," Chiaki sighed.

Allison walked over to where the twins were both sitting in their bouncy seats. Allison undid the strap on Mitsuko's seat and gently picked the baby girl up.

"What's the matter?" she asked in a soothing voice. "What's the matter, sweetheart?"

Chiaki watched in amazement as her daughter stopped crying.

"How did you do that?" she asked. "Please show me!"

Allison laughed. "All babies are like this, Chi. She probably just doesn't like her bouncy seat. I'm quite surprised. Emma practically lived in hers."

"Sukie's so pretty Mummy," Caroline said standing on the sofa so she could get a better look.

"She is," Allison agreed. "Absolutely beautiful just like her mum."

"Well I can't pick them both up at once," Chiaki said, gently lifting Masanobu from his seat.

"Why didn't you ask me to come by and pitch in while Tosh is out of town?" Allison asked. "I would have come by sooner if I'd known Chi."

"I didn't want to bother you," Chiaki gently rubbed her son's back. "You have your own two girls to worry about." she smiled at her nieces.

"I'm never too busy for you," Allison said. "And besides, things aren't going to be so hectic for me come September."

"That's cause I start school," Caroline said excitedly. "We went today to see my teacher and I even got to pick out what desk I want, Aunt Chiaki."

"Did you really sweetheart?" Chiaki asked. "I can't believe you're already old enough to start school Angel."

"Neither can I," Allison said laughing. "They grow up so fast."

"I big girl!" Emma spoke up.

Caroline pulled one of Emma's red curls. "You keep saying that Em."

"Ow!" Emma glared at her older sister. "Hurt!"

"I was only playing Mummy," Caroline said quickly looking up at her mother. "I didn't mean to hurt her."

"Just be careful okay sweetheart?" Allison asked, smiling at her daughters while she kissed Mitsuko's forehead.

Caroline hugged Emma. "I'm sorry Em. I didn't mean to hurt you."

"Sissy," Emma said giggling.

"How did you do this without losing your mind?" Chiaki asked Allison as they carried the twins back to the nursery.

"I'm not sure," Allison said. "Sometimes I thought I'd go mad- remember that time last year when Caroline had the flu and Emma had colic? That was probably the hardest day."

"I'm just so afraid that I'm not doing anything right," Chiaki said. "And it doesn't help that Tosh's Mum comes by every other day to make some derogatory remark about my housekeeping abilities and my parenting skills."

"What's her problem?" Allison frowned. "I thought you two got along fine?"

"We did until I married her son and gave her grandchildren apparently," Chiaki said setting her son in his crib.

"That's ridiculous," Allison said softly, setting Mitsuko down in hers. "You're doing fine Chi. It's natural to be overwhelmed and you have two babies to look after."

"So you don't think I'm doing irreversible damage to them?" Chiaki asked. "I must have looked like a mad fool sitting there trying to reason with these babies...."

Allison laughed as they crept from the room. "You're fine Chi. Trust me- everything's going to be just fine. I'm going to come over and help you out."

"I don't want to impose," Chiaki said. "I'd love for you to help, but you have your own family, Allie."

"Aye, and I can bring the girls over here while I help you stay on your feet," Allison replied. "Chi I know it's hard for you right now. You're living off Toshio's income so you can't hire any help, you've got two babies to watch over and you want to keep your place presentable. Let me help you."

Chiaki hugged her sister. "I would be eternally grateful to you if you'd do that for me, Allie."

Allison hugged her back. "What are sisters for?" she joked.

"I hope I can be as good a mother as you are," Chiaki said.

"You are," Allison said. "Now that we have those two down for a kip, what say I help you tidy up a bit?"

"Can we help too?" Caroline asked.

"You sure can sweetheart," Allison smoothed back Caroline's brown hair. "Why don't you and Emma take a few rags and dust the living room?"

"Okay," Caroline said happily and Chiaki went to the hall closet to retrieve the cleaning supplies.

"Toshio actually complained about what a clean freak I turned into when I was pregnant," Chiaki mused. "Now look at this place."

"He's been gone a lot lately hasn't he?" Allison remarked as she waved her wand at the dishes in the sink and they became clean and flew into their spots on the shelves. "Dancing up in Glasgow or something?"

Chiaki nodded. "We needed the extra money."

"Well that's good," Allison said. "Sit down Chi- I can take care of this. You rest."

Chiaki started to protest, but the idea of a breather was just too good to resist. "Okay. Thanks Allie. Thanks a whole lot."

"No problem," Allison smiled. "So Mum was over with Frankie and they were getting the last few things together for the wedding. Can you believe she'll be married in a week?"

Chiaki laughed as she sat down on the sofa and stretched out. "No, I never thought she'd do it Allie."

"Me either," Allison agreed, stacking the magazines on the table neatly as Caroline and Emma ran around the room with their rags, giggling. "But I'm so happy for her."

"I am too," Chiaki said laughing at her two nieces. "Will's lovely."

"He really is," Allison agreed. "And he's so good with the girls. Calls both of them 'Princess'. Jon and I can't seem to break the habit now," she grinned.

"Speaking of Jon how is my brother-in-law?" Chiaki asked closing her eyes.

"Busy," Allison answered, putting some books back where they belonged. "This week alone he's booked solid for flying lessons."

"Fly too!" Emma exclaimed. "Like Dada!"

"You want to fly baby girl?" Allison asked, swinging her daughter up in the air.

Emma giggled and Caroline danced happily around them, no one noticing that Chiaki had fallen fast asleep.

"Again!" Emma cried out.

"All right," Allison laughed. "Isn't she funny Chi?" she turned to look at her sister. "Chi?"

"I think she's taking a kip just like the babies Mummy," Caroline said.

Allison smiled. "Well how about we keep really quiet so we don't wake the babies, okay? And we'll finish tidying up and then how about we make lunch for your aunt?"

"Can we make pasketti?" Caroline asked excitedly while Emma clapped her hands together.

"I think your aunt would love that," Allison said whispering. "Let's be extra quiet okay?"

"Okay Mummy," Caroline agreed. "Come on Em. We get to make noodles!"

"Quietly," Allison said grinning at them.

"Right," Caroline nodded. "We have to whisper okay Em?"

"Kay," Emma took her sister's hand.

Allison finished tidying up with the help of her daughters who mostly played and giggled with each other. Nearly an hour later, Allison was nearly finished making lunch.

"Who wants to go wake up Aunt Chiaki?" Allison asked.

"I do!" Caroline said holding up her hand which Emma mimicked.

"Okay, don't be loud about it though," Allison smiled at her daughters.

Caroline nodded and she and Emma walked out of the kitchen and into the sitting room.

"We should wake her up like Daddy does to us," Caroline told her sister.

"Kay," Emma said.

Caroline leaned over and kissed her aunt's cheek. "Wakey, wakey," she whispered. "Time to get up and at 'em."

"Chi..." Emma copied her sister. "Up!"

"Hmmm?" Chiaki mumbled sleepily.

"Wake up Aunt Chiaki," Caroline climbed up next to her. "We made you lunch!"

Chiaki opened her eyes. "How...how long was I asleep?"

"This long," Caroline held up six fingers. "That many minutes."

Chiaki laughed knowing that she must have been out for longer than six minutes. "What smells so good?" she asked sitting up.

"Pasketti," Caroline said. "Me, Mummy and Emma made it for you!"

Emma crawled into her aunt's lap and hugged her.

"Hey sweetheart," Chiaki hugged her little niece back.

"Lunch is ready," Allison called out from the kitchen.

Chiaki carried Emma toward the kitchen and hardly recognised her place. Everything looked so clean and nice. It was probably only temporary, but the sight of it made Chiaki want to cry from joy.

In the kitchen, Allison had just placed the basket of garlic bread on the table when the girls and Chiaki came into the kitchen.

"It's not much," Allison said. "But it was the least we could do...."

"Oh Allie this is wonderful," Chiaki said. "You've no idea how much this means to me."

Allison waved her hand dismissively. "Chiaki, I'm happy to do it. There's no need to thank me. I can't even begin to count how many times you helped me out."

"I know but just look at this place," Chiaki said. "It looks amazing. Barely even resembles my home anymore."

"The twins are still kipping," Allison said. "And we can stay as long as you need us to. Right, girls?"

"Right," Caroline said.

"Eat!" Emma cried.

"Couldn't have said it better myself," Chiaki said laughing and feeling better already.

*** *** ***

Frankie could say without a doubt that this was the absolute best day of her life. Will had promised her the wedding of her dreams and he'd gone above and beyond to make that happen. The ceremony had taken place in late afternoon in the garden of the old Longbottom estate.

They couldn't have asked for a more perfect day and the ceremony had gone off without a hitch. Drew and Darla had everything covered and while Frankie had known nothing could be perfect, this wedding and this ceremony came about as close as possible to being just that.

After taking photographs with all their attendants and family members, she and Will were waiting just outside the ballroom ready to make their big entrance as husband and wife.

"Just one more kiss," he murmured. "I can't keep my eyes and hands off you today. You look so absolutely gorgeous Frankie."

"This old thing?" Frankie asked spinning around. "I never want to take this off! Well, at least not until tonight..."

Will laughed. "You mean your newly designed one of a kind wedding gown?"

"Lavender did a fantastic job," Frankie said touching the fabric.

Drew led Mia and Caroline over to the bride and groom.

"Remember girls," Drew said handing them both baskets of rose petals. "You walk ahead and go slow, okay?"

"Okay," Caroline said, grasping her basket. "Mia this is so much fun!"

"You two practically stole the show from us," Will said touching his niece's shoulder.

"Uncle Will!" Mia exclaimed. "You'll mess up my hair!"

Frankie laughed. "Right Will, you can't muss up your niece's hair."

"Can I start calling you Aunt Frankie yet?" Mia asked her.

"Of course," Frankie said smiling at her. "I'm officially your aunt now."

"And you're my Uncle Will," Caroline grinned up at him.

"Couldn't be happier about that," Will said, stooping down to give both of them hugs.

"Can we keep our tiaras?" Mia asked hugging her uncle back but being very careful not to mess up her hair or her dress.

"Of course you can," Frankie replied as her sisters, Alicia and Maddie came over to them with the groomsmen.

Alicia looked disdainfully at Jack. "Can't you wear lifts? We look like some sort of circus act..."

Jack forced a smile. "I'm sorry my being shorter than you has ruined your day, Alicia."

"Lee he's not that much shorter than you are," Frankie said. "Your hair alone gives you about three inches in height." everyone laughed.

"Can I borrow your husband," Alicia asked ignoring what Frankie had said and turning around to look at Allison.

"No," Allison said thinking she was joking. "Alicia, you just have to walk in there with Jack for two seconds."

"But..." Alicia's mouth screwed up. "It would look so much better."

"Lee knock it off," Frankie glared at her. "We already went through this, over and over and OVER again."

"I could walk on my tiptoes," Jack suggested. "Or maybe Will could levitate me..."

Allison and Jon started to laugh.

"So not funny," Alicia adjusted her dress and stared straight ahead, pouting.

Allison shared a glance with Chiaki and then looked at Maddie, who shrugged.

"I know I've said this before, but you look gorgeous," Maddie said to Frankie. "And you're positively glowing."

Frankie hugged her. "Thanks Maddie. I'm just so happy right now. I feel on top of the world."

"Okay," Drew said coming forward. "They're ready for us. So, flower girls...you go first...followed by the bridesmaids and groomsmen and then our bride and groom. Everyone ready? Big smiles....Alicia that means you too!"

"I am smiling," Alicia grumbled. "You just can't tell on the outside."

"You could always hunch over," Jack said causing everyone to laugh.

"I don't have bad posture," Alicia snapped back but took his arm.

Mia and Caroline walked in to an enormous amount of applause and the two little girls grinned at each other as they tossed their flower petals down.

"Hi Grandpa!" Caroline called out as she walked past Neville and Cho.

"Hi Angel girl," Neville grinned back at her. "You look beautiful!"

Cho held Emma up so she could get a better look.

"Sissy! Gamma, sissy!" she called out excitedly.

"That's right sweetheart," Cho smiled. "That's your big sister!"

Emma clapped enthusiastically when her mother and father came into view.

Neville laughed at his baby granddaughter's enthusiasm. Jon saw Emma as well and nudged Allison. "Look at our daughter," he whispered to her as he waved.

Allison beamed at her daughter. "She's ready to dance with her daddy."

"At least I don't have to worry about stepping on her feet," Jon laughed.

Allison laughed. "Well I hope she'll let me have one or two with you." She could still remember how last night at the rehearsal dinner, Caroline and Emma had monopolised their father and he'd danced with them both all evening long.

"I'll save a spot for you on my dance card," Jon squeezed her hand.

Allison and Jon took their places with the other members of the wedding party as the bandleader announced the happy couple.

"May I present to you Francesca and William Barron," the bandleader said as everyone stood.

Neville and Cho were both happy to see that Frankie wore the biggest smile on her face as she and her new husband came forward to the most thunderous applause yet.

"I thought it was going to be William and Francesca Barron," Will teased his wife. "You changed it! You had to be first, didn't you?"

Frankie laughed. "I had nothing to do with that!"

"Sure you didn't," Will said leaning in and giving his wife a kiss causing everyone to applaud yet again.

Frankie giggled and wound her arms around his neck, keeping him close.

Will, who wasn't the greatest dancer in the world by any stretch of the imagination had a surprise for his wife. Unbeknownst to Frankie, he'd spent the past couple of weeks getting private ballroom lessons from his new mother-in-law. The band began to play "The Way You Look Tonight" and Will grinned impishly at his wife. "May I have this dance?"

"Of course you can," Frankie said. "But Will... you said you'd only dance once because you didn't want to ruin my feet!"

"Just try and keep up," he said winking at her as he led her to the middle of the ballroom.

Frankie grinned at him. "You've been keeping secrets from me William," she said as he pulled her close.

"I told you that I was going to make sure you had the wedding of your dreams," he whispered in her ear. "And I couldn't be tripping over your feet now could I?"

"Oh Will," Frankie said, her eyes tearing up a little. "You are the best ever, you know that?"

"I'm okay," he said modestly spinning her around.

"You're more than okay," Frankie said, resting her head on his shoulder. "I am so happy to be your wife."

"I love you Francesca," he said kissing the top of her head. "Always."

"I love you too," Frankie closed her eyes and lost herself in his arms.

"She looks happy doesn't she?" Cho asked Neville as she watched the couple dance.

"Yes she does," Neville smiled as he watched his youngest daughter whirl around the dance floor. "Well all three of them are married now Cho. What will we do with ourselves?"

"Spoil our grandchildren?" Cho asked holding Emma close. "Right Em?"

"Gamma," Emma replied. "Eat!"

Cho laughed. "We'll eat soon baby girl. I promise."

"I know that my new son-in-law couldn't dance like this before," Neville said grinning at his wife. "Did you have something to do with that?"

"Oh I might have," Cho smiled back at him. "For the past two weeks he's been taking ballroom lessons from me."

"You're a great teacher," Neville said proudly. "That's quite a transformation."

Cho laughed. "He was a very eager and willing pupil."

"That why you wanted me to massage your feet these past couple of weeks?" he asked.

"That's only part of the reason," Cho replied. "No one gives a foot massage like you do Neville."

"You might get one of those tonight Cho," he said taking Emma from her. "Now my lovely, how about we go and get you the biggest, best dinner in the whole wide world?"

"Eat!" Emma shrieked excitedly.

"You said the magic word," Ron said as he and Luna joined them.

"Hullo Weasley," Neville grinned at them. "Come to empty the buffet table?"

"Not just that," Ron said making a goofy face at Emma. "I came to dance with my wife too."

"And see our granddaughters," Luna said, "As well as our best friends' daughter marry the love of her life." she smiled at Emma as Neville passed her over.

"Gamma Lu," Emma said grabbing hold of Luna's necklace. "Eat!"

"That's right sweetheart," Luna laughed, prying her necklace out of Emma's fist. "We're going to eat."

"She is a true Weasley," Ron said proudly.

"She's not all Weasley," Neville said. "She's got some Longbottom in her too."

"Her appetite is that of a Weasley," Ron replied, undeterred.

"And she has red hair just like a Weasley," Neville said knowing what Ron was going to say next. "Yes, yes..."

"She looks a little like you," Ron offered with a wicked grin. "Just lucky I passed down my cuter genes."

"All right boys," Luna said with a laugh. "Enough, enough."

"Dad?" R.J. asked. "When do we get to eat? And when can I get out of this suit? It's bloody uncomfortable!"

"Shut it you," Saffron said. "No one wants to see you running around starkers."

"Who said I'd run around starkers?" R.J. asked. "I'd probably attract more attention than the bride though."

"That's because everyone would run for the exits if you ran around starkers," Saffron said sarcastically.

Ethan cuffed his sister around the neck. "And to think I once thought you and Ronnie Junior here might have been next in line..."

"Don't you start again," Saffron warned him. "I only have another few years before I can do magic out of school."

"I pity the poor bloke who ends up with you," Ethan teased earning a death glare from his younger sister.

"Well I feel for Maddie," Saffron snorted. "I love her to death but I think you must have cast a love spell on her. She's really too smart for you."

"Nuff!" Emma's little voice interrupted their arguing. "Nuff!"

Everyone stared at the little girl for a moment before dissolving into laughter.

"You're right Em," Saffron said smiling at her. "Enough is enough."

"Saf!" Emma bubbled. "Eat Saf!"

"You are sitting with me," Saffron said taking Emma. "Come on. Let's go find us a table. What do you say?"

"Kay," Emma agreed. "Where Mad?"

"We'll save her a seat," Saffron said. "With smelly old Ethan too."

Emma giggled as Saffron filled a plate with food quickly and headed back to look for a table.

"Are you sure the twins are okay?" Chiaki asked Toshio. They'd left the newborns with Toshio's parents and this was the first time they'd been apart from the babies since their birth.

"I just rang my parents," Toshio said, squeezing her arm. "Mum said Sukie's a little fussy, but she's kipping now. Mas is eating them right out of the house."

"Are you sure?" Chiaki asked. "I miss them so much..."

"They're fine sweetheart," Toshio kissed her forehead. "Let's just enjoy our day- we'll see them again in a few hours."

"Right," Chiaki said smiling at him. "We should enjoy our day."

Maddie had joined Ethan in the food line. "Make sure you grab two of everything," she told him. "I'm positively starving."

"I shouldn't even get you a plate," Ethan said shaking his head. "You're just going to eat off mine anyway."

Maddie smiled innocently at him. "Does that sound like such a bad thing?"

"No," he said. "And don't forget we get to cha-cha-cha later."

She laughed. "I'll never forget that. You made my day when you agreed to dance with me."

"I was a real arse to you that day," he said apologetically. "But we ended up having a good time, didn't we?"

"We did," Maddie gave him a kiss. "Now hurry up and get my food."

"Yes ma'am," Ethan said laughing. "You are a bossy thing, Maddie Molly."

"And you love me for it," Maddie said sweetly.

"Yes," he said. "Come on, let's find a table."

Allison and Jon sat down beside Lizzy who was waiting for Josh to return with her food.

"You doing okay Lizzy?" Allison asked.

"Fine," Lizzy said. "Just... heavy."

"How much longer now?" Jon asked.

"Next week," Lizzy replied. "And I absolutely cannot wait."

"We're going to have to play catch up Al," Jon teased.

"Catch up with what?" Allison asked.

"They're going to have three," Jon replied. "We've got two..."

"If you plan on having another child Jon, maybe you'd like to carry it this time," Allison retorted.

"When you put it that way..." Jon gulped.

"Here we go Liz," Jon set two rather full plates down in front of his wife. "That enough for you?”

"For now," Lizzy smiled at her husband. "Thank you."

"Mummy!" Caroline called out as she ran over to join her parents. "I've been looking for you everywhere!"

"Here we are Angel," Allison lifted her into her lap. "Are you hungry?"

"Starving," Caroline said nodding. "I was so excited this morning I couldn't eat."

"Have some of mine," Lizzy smiled at her niece.

"But you're eating for four," Caroline said. "My cousins are probably really hungry."

"Aye but that's what your Uncle Josh is for," Lizzy laughed. "He'll wait through that line again."

"Thanks Liz," Josh said sarcastically.

Lizzy smiled. "You know you would Joshie."

"That's right Poetry Boy," Jon said, shovelling his meal into his mouth.

"Okay Boo Bear," Josh shot back.

"Daddy and Uncle Josh are being really silly, aren't they Mummy?" Caroline asked.

"Yes they are," Allison spread jam on a cracker and handed it to her daughter.

"Why aren't you playing with Katie?" Jon asked.

"She's mad at me," Caroline said. "She said that I liked Mia better than her and if I was going to be that way, she didn't want to be my friend anymore."

"What?" Allison asked. "Sweetheart you and Mia were the flower girls. You have to spend time together."

"I know," Caroline said. "And I like both of them just the same."

"Katie will come around," Jon told her.

Caroline nodded. "Mia thinks she's pretty. She told me so when we lined up outside earlier."

"Katie probably doesn't know Mia very well," Allison reassured Caroline. "I'm sure if they got to know each other they'd be really good friends."

"That's what I tried to say Mummy," Caroline reached for her father's plate.

"Don't you worry about it," Allison said laughing as Jon stared at his daughter who grabbed his bread roll.

"Can I have it Daddy?" Caroline asked. "Please?"

"Here you go Princess," Jon said handing it to her.

"Thanks Daddy," Caroline said. "Can I dance with you after dinner?"

"You'd want to dance with me?" Jon asked dramatically.

"Don't be silly Daddy," Caroline giggled.

Julie grinned at Nick as he set their plates down on the table. Ashley was talking to Hermione while Katie scowled in the direction of Caroline's table.

"Your face is going to freeze like that Katherine," Julie said.

"So?" Katie asked grumpily.

"No one ever said Caroline couldn't have any other friends other than you," Ashley pointed out.

"I didn't ask you Ashley," Katie retorted, stabbing her knife into her piece of chicken.

"You shouldn't have been so mean," Ashley said. "You hurt Caroline's feelings, you know."

"What did you do?" Julie asked.

"Nothing!" Katie said, glaring at her sister.

"She told Caroline that if she liked Mia so much more, then they wouldn’t' be friends anymore." Ashley reported.

Julie levelled her gaze at her younger daughter. "Katie..."

"I don't see why Mia got to be flower girl and I didn't," Katie said grumpily. "I've known Aunt Frankie longer than she has. And I would have been way better at it than Mia. So much better..."

"Because she's younger than you, for one thing," Nick said. "And Mia is from Will's side of the family. It's not about who has known who the longest Katherine Rose."

"Yeah well it should be," Katie retorted.

"Katherine," Nick said sternly.

Julie leaned in. "Katie, you don't even know Mia. You might like her if you give her a chance."

"What if I don't want to?" Katie countered, crossing her arms.

"Caroline's your best friend, isn't she?" Julie asked.

"She was," Katie pouted.

"She still could be if you'd stop being so mean," Ashley chimed in.

"I don't know if I'd have put it that way," Julie said. "But you just might lose your best friend if you keep acting like that."

Katie didn't answer, but she finally stopped glaring in Caroline's direction.

"Good girl," Julie said smiling at her.

"All right," Nick said. "Who wants to dance first with their old man?"

"I do," Ashley and Katie said together.

"How about--" Nick began.

"How about I dance with Ashley," Harry interrupted. "And then we can switch off and I'll have a dance with my little Katie after you Nick?"

"Good save Dad," Julie said under her breath.

"Anything to stave off another argument," Harry patted her shoulder. "Come on Ash, sweetheart. Come make your Grandpa look good out there."

Ashley giggled. "You're better at it than me, Grandpa."

"And I'll teach you everything I know," Harry teased.

"Let's go too Daddy," Katie said getting to her feet.

"All right baby," Nick swept her up.

To Katie's dismay, Nick carried her over to part of the dance floor where Caroline was dancing with her father.

"Hi Katie," Caroline said with a shy smile.

"Hi," Katie muttered, feeling her father's eyes on her.

"Do you want to sit with me when they serve the cake?" Caroline asked.

Katie shrugged. "Maybe your new best friend Mia wants to sit next to you."

"Katherine Rose," Nick warned.

"I want both of you to sit with me," Caroline said. "I'll even let you wear my tiara, Katie. It would probably look better on you anyway."

"You'd let me wear your tiara?" Katie asked, softening. She'd been admiring the pretty crowns all day and was dying to try one on.

"Of course," Caroline said gingerly taking it off her head and handing it to her friend. "You're my bestest friend, Katie. You know that."

"I'm sorry Caroline," Katie said, hugging her. "You're my best friend too."

Jon and Nick watched as Caroline placed the small tiara on Katie's head.

"You're not crying are you, cousin?" Jon asked teasingly.

"Big rock stars don't cry," Nick returned.

"I stand corrected," Jon said. "Caroline, if you don't mind, I think I'm going to go and find your Mum and see if she'll dance with me."

"Okay Daddy," Caroline said. "I think she will."

"I think she will too," Nick teased. "Katie, you still want to dance with me or do you want to hang out with Caroline here?"

"I'm going to play with Caroline," Katie replied. "Let's go see what I look like with the tiara!"

Nick grinned and shook his head as his daughter grabbed Caroline's hand and they disappeared in the direction of the loo. "Crisis over," he said as he went back to the table. "Fancy a dance with me Jules? Our daughter has skipped out on me for a tiara."

Julie laughed and took his hand. "That's Katie for you."

"Aye," Nick said pulling her close. "Frankie looks so happy," he said, grinning in the direction of the main table where she and Will were feeding each other and very much looking as if they were the only two people in the room. "Were we that sappy on our wedding day?"

"Even sappier I think," Julie replied.

"Just making sure," he winked and gave her a kiss as he whirled her away.

"If you smash that cake in my face," Frankie began. "I will never speak to you again."

"I already told you I wouldn't," Will protested, laughing. "They haven't even brought it out yet!"

"Well unless you want to spend your wedding night on a sofa, you'll keep that promise," Frankie said seriously.

"I promise baby," Will said, leaning in to kiss her. "You look too beautiful for me to muss you up anyway."

Frankie beamed at him before softly kissing him. "I'm so happy Will."

"I am too. I got the girl I always wanted right here." he smiled back at her.

Will's sister Mary came over and she had such a stern expression on her face that for an awful moment Frankie thought she was going to say something to cause a scene. To her relief though, Mary smiled warmly at her.

"I just wanted to offer my congratulations to you both," Mary said. "You made a lovely bride, Frankie."

"Thank you Mary," Frankie got up and hugged the other woman. "You're stuck with me now as your sister in law, you know. No getting rid of me." she teased.

"I think we'll manage," Mary said with a laugh. "And anyone who could make my brother this happy, well they're okay in my book."

"She makes me the happiest I've ever been," Will replied.

"Well, I better go and check on the boys," Mary said. "Congratulations again to you both."

"Thanks Mare," Will grinned at her. "Want to dance again before they bring the cake out?" he asked his wife.

"You actually want to dance again?" Frankie asked. "What has brought about this transformation?"

"Don't look a gift horse in the mouth," Will teased her.

"Right," Frankie said taking his hand. "You lead the way Mr. Barron."

"Right Mrs. Barron," Will said.

67. Important Authors Note! Please Read!

We're sorry that our authors note in the last chapter offended so many people. That was definitely NOT our intent.

We wanted to find out if there was still interest in the story and if perhaps you guys didn't like the storylines or perhaps were concerned that this wasn't a H/Hr-centric story as much anymore.

Obviously we were wrong- there is still a TON of interest in the story and we're more than happy that you guys still enjoy it. After HBP, it was therapy for us to write it just as it was for you guys to read it.

A comment on us replying to the anonymous reviews- we will try and do it more often. Honestly- we thought the 'Anonymous' reviewers never really checked back since there was no way they'd know if the review was responded to, but obviously more of you check back than we thought so whether or not you have a username, we will respond ok? Promise

And we will continue to update on the usual schedule---Tuesdays and Saturdays. We are also hard at work on another story that we will be posting soon that is non-DD verse.

Again, we hope despite the miscommunication in our authors note that those of you who were offended will stick around. We love you guys, we really do- after JKR let us down with that interview, we don't want to do the same!

We love these characters and the story we've created and we want you to feel the same. There's loads more of story to tell and we want you all to be along for the ride.

We will hopefully see you guys back on Saturday for another 'helping' of the DD verse and we'll also see you guys soon with a brand new story that will be coming the first week of Feb. Thanks for sticking with us and know that we ADORE you guys- ALL of you!

Amy and Heaven

68. Chapter 67

A/N: Here is the promised chapter- thank you ALL for your wonderful comments- it’s good to know that everyone still loves this story! You’ll get to see Josh, Lizzy and the triplets in this chapter as well as a flashback on the Ethan/Bree relationship. We hope you enjoy it! And thanks for reading!!!

"You realise we're going to have to get a bigger place soon, right?" Lizzy asked, carrying the seat carefully as she climbed the stairs to their flat. Her and Josh's triplets had been born just four days previous, and they were finally bringing them home. She carried little Casey, their daughter, and Josh held Noah and Aidan in his hands.

"I know Liz," Josh answered. "We'll take our time and find a really nice place. For now, the room we have set up will do. It'll have to."

"Are you going to be able to get the door?" Lizzy asked. "Your hands are much fuller than mine..."

"I'll just set Noah here down for a moment," Josh said, reaching in his pocket for his keys.

"No need for that," Ron announced, swinging the door open. "Welcome home!"

"Dad!" Josh exclaimed. "You scared me half to death!"

"If you'd been living right, it wouldn't have scared you," Ron said with a grin. "Let me see one of those babies. Is this Aidan?"

Josh laughed. "No, that would be Noah."

"Right," Ron grinned widely.

"Oh you're back!" Anna Mitchell came into the foyer. "Luke! Luna! The kids are home with the babies!"

"What are you all doing here?" Lizzy asked.

"We thought we'd surprise you," Luna came forward. "And we wanted to be able to spend time with our grandchildren without the masses stealing them away from us."

"We're glad to see you," Josh said as Luna took Aidan in her arms.

"Hello Aidan Michael," Luna said smiling down at her grandson. "I'm your grandmother and I'm going to spoil you completely rotten."

Lizzy was currently unbuckling Casey from the seat so that her own mother could hold the oldest of the triplets. "Can you believe this Mum?" she asked. "We waited so long to get married I was wondering if we'd ever have kids and now we have three."

Anna grinned. "Well you did marry into a big family."

Lizzy laughed. "Hi Dad," she smiled at him. "It's so good to see you both."

"You're going to see more of us with these three around," Luke said hugging his daughter. "How are you doing sweetheart?"

"I'm good," Lizzy said. "A little tired of course, but I'm so glad to not be pregnant anymore."

"Look at little Casey's red hair," Anna said. "She looks like Allie's Emma."

"She does," Lizzy smiled and kissed her baby's soft head.

Josh came over holding Noah. "We've got quite the houseful now." he joked.

"You know you can count on us to help out," Luna told Josh. "I know this is a little overwhelming for you both."

"Just a bit," Josh replied. "And I promise to ring you if we ever need help. Right now we're mainly just going to start looking for a house. We'll need something bigger once these three are a bit older."

"Do you have any locations in mind?" Luke asked.

"Still here in the city," Josh replied. "I want Liz to be able to commute locally still, and my office is near here but I don't mind travelling."

"Lizzy's uncle is an estate agent," Luke said. "I could ask him if he has any recommendations."

"I'd love that Dad," Lizzy said. "I'd really like a nice backyard for the kids too. Somewhere where they can play and have fun, you know?"

"I'll ask him tonight," Luke smiled and reached out for Noah. "Let me see my grandson."

Lizzy watched her father and felt a surge of pride. A few weeks ago, she'd heard him talking about being too young to be a grandfather.

"Noah, Noah, Noah," Luke said making a goofy face at him.

"Like the name Dad?" she laughed.

"Maybe just a little," Luke admitted with a laugh.

"Admit it," Lizzy teased. "You love being a grandpa."

"I'm still not crazy about that name," Luke said cradling Noah. "But I'm crazy about these three."

"As am I," Anna said, joining them. "Although I suppose being a grandmother could be worse. I could be a Muggle and grey by now." she laughed.

"Yet another benefit of being a witch," Luna chimed in.

"Exactly," Anna agreed. "Oh I just can't get over how gorgeous these three are. So tiny and perfect..."

"You're so cute I could eat you up," Ron was saying as he cradled Aidan.

"Uh oh," Josh grimaced. "Someone get Dad a sandwich, fast!"

"Your dad's a right smart arse," Ron told his grandson.

"Ronald!" Luna chastised. "Don't say that in front of the babies!"

"They don't understand me yet," Ron protested.

Anna laughed. "Luke, do you remember when they brought Josh and Jon home that first time?"

"That's right!" Luke said. "Ron couldn't tell them apart. Harry kept having a go at him because of it and he proceeded to let go with some foul language..."

Luna shook her head. "Unfortunately he still uses that foul language- around everyone."

Josh laughed. "I remember when Maddie used to repeat everything he said."

"W-A-N-K-E-R," Ron said. "She was my girl."

"She still is Dad," Josh replied with a grin. "She's just... more Ethan's now."

Ron laughed. "Very true."

"This makes me miss having a baby around the house," Luna said tearing up.

"You still have a child at home you know," Josh reminded her. "Remember...your youngest? Looks remarkably like Dad."

"And with an attitude that matches yours," Lizzy laughed. "And Luna, we'd be glad to have you baby sit if you get lonely." she teased.

"Junior is more like Jon than me," Josh pointed out.

"You were always my sensitive, sweet boy," Luna replied.

"Mum!" Josh said turning red.

Lizzy laughed. "But he never wrote ME any poetry."

"I'm not that sensitive," Josh said. "And I only wrote Julie two poems, Lizzy and they were crap."

"I guess we should stop embarrassing Josh now," Ron said, handing Aidan over to him. "Luke and I made some lunch-- we figured you'd both be hungry."

"You actually left some for us?" Josh asked. "Gee, Dad. I'm touched."

"I'll have you know I didn't touch a bite," Ron replied indignantly.

"You didn't?" Lizzy and Josh asked in unison.

"Well... maybe I stole a crisp or two..." Ron said sheepishly. "But I made burgers and I didn't have any of those!"

"I watched him," Luke said. "You'd have been proud of him Josh."

"Congrats Dad," Josh said, patting his father's back. "This is a real first for you."

"I just hope neither of you had your heart set on that treacle tart that was in the icebox," Luke commented dryly.

Josh and Lizzy laughed. "Doesn't matter now," she said, giggling. "Josh and I will go put these three down in the nursery and join you in a moment."

"Here you go," Luna said handing Casey back to Lizzy.

"We'll just be a moment," Lizzy said as Josh took care of Aidan and Noah. They carried their newborns down the short hallway and into the room they'd converted from an office to a nursery.

"I still can't believe they're actually here," Josh said as he gingerly set Aidan and then Noah into their cribs.

"Me either," Lizzy kissed Casey's little plump cheek. "Our three little miracles Josh."

"Thank you," he said giving his wife a kiss. "For making this happen for us."

"You had quite a hand in it too you know," Lizzy said, resting her head on his shoulder.

He laughed. "Maybe just a little..."

Lizzy hugged him hard around the middle. "I'm so happy," she said softly.

"Me too," he said and together they watched as their three newborns slept.

*** *** ***

"It was really nice of you to invite me over for dinner," Jared said to Maddie as they walked up the stairs to her flat.

Maddie looked at him over her shoulder. "I don't mind at all. Ethan's working late so I'm glad for the company."

"I didn't realise you could cook," Jared said as Maddie unlocked the door.

"There are two things Weasleys know how to do very well," Maddie said with a grin. "Cook and eat."

Jared laughed. "Did you decorate?" he asked, noting the beige walls and well thought out decor.

"This," Maddie said motioning around the flat. "Is courtesy of my friend Frankie."

"Wasn't she there that one night?" Jared asked, setting his case down in the hall.

Maddie nodded. "She was. You remember her friend Alicia, don't you? I think she was hoping you might hit it off."

"Right," Jared laughed. "She seemed all right. Not really my type though." he could tell the moment he'd met Alicia that she'd been around the block more than a double Decker bus. He was only interested in the innocent ones, much like the blonde in front of him now.

"I didn't think she would be," Maddie told him as she walked over to the icebox. "But Frankie thought it was worth a shot."

"It was a fun night," Jared said. "I'm sorry I was such a party pooper."

Maddie gave him a sympathetic look. "It's okay Jared. I know you're still hurting about what happened with Cordelia. It takes time to heal."

"I just feel like I should be over all that by now. She's moved on... I just can't figure out why I can't." Jared said mournfully.

"I don't think you've had closure," Maddie said thoughtfully. "I wish I could tell you how to get it, Jared."

"It's all right," Jared replied. "I shouldn't be harping on about this. Not when you've been so great Maddie. I'm glad we got to work together and become friends."

"Me too," Maddie said smiling at him. "Can I get you something to drink?"

"Got any beer?" Jared asked.

Maddie walked over to the icebox and grabbed him one of Ethan's. She was sure he wouldn't mind. What she didn't see was Jared watching her every move.

He watched as she bent over to retrieve a bottle and snapped it open. "Thanks," he grinned at her. "I've been dying for one of these all day."

"No problem," she said. "Why don't you go and make yourself comfortable in the sitting room?"

"Well I'd like to help," Jared said. "I happen to be pretty decent in the kitchen when I actually bother to cook."

"Okay," Maddie said smiling. "I was thinking I'd make some beef stew. You could help me chop up some vegetables."

"Sure," Jared replied. "Where's a knife I can use?"

"The drawer over there by the icebox," Maddie replied.

"This is a nice kitchen," Jared said after he'd gotten started with the vegetables. "I can see why you like living here."

Maddie had her back to Jared. "It's not just the kitchen. It has more to do with my flatmate. He's pretty great."

"You live with Ethan right?" Jared asked, his hands tightening around the knife. Ethan was the one flaw with Maddie. She was obsessed with him, and blind as a bat to Jared.

"Yes," Maddie said turning and giving him a quizzical look. "I thought you knew that."

"Must have forgotten," Jared replied. "Sorry,"

"That's okay," Maddie said turning her attention back to the stove.

Jared looked at her for a moment longer before turning back to the vegetables. "So... you never really got much of a chance to tell me about how your time in Brighton was."

"We had a lovely time," Maddie replied. "I've always loved it when our families get together like that."

"It must be nice to have such a close knit family," Jared said conversationally. "To go on holiday together like that and spend so much time together. I've always wanted to be part of a big family."

"You don't talk very much about your family," Maddie said. "Do you have any brothers or sisters?"

"Only child," Jared said. "And I'm not very close with my parents- especially since they found out I'm a Seer. They said it's all nonsense and they don't believe in any of it."

Maddie's heart broke for Jared and it made her even more grateful for the support system she had in her friends, family and Ethan.

"You've really had to go this all alone, haven't you?" she asked gently.

"That's why I'm glad I had you," he said in a softer voice, gazing at her intently.

Maddie shivered as she sensed Jared looking at her. "These look great," she said avoiding his gaze while scooping up the vegetables he'd sliced.

"I like to put a slant on them," Jared said, disappointed that she hadn't jumped into his arms. "I think it gives them a bit of extra crunch."

"I'll have to remember that," she said pouring them into the pot.

"Anything else I can do?" he asked, running his eyes over her body.

"Perhaps you could--" Maddie started to say, but was interrupted by a tapping on the window. "Hold on just a second..."

"What is it?" Jared asked as she opened the panes.

"An owl," she said grinning when she recognised Ethan's familiar script on the envelope. "It's from Ethan."

"Oh," Jared replied. "What's he got to say?"

Maddie opened the letter and the smile on her face faltered a bit as she read exactly what Ethan had to say.

Mads:

I'm not sure when I'll be home. I know you planned on making your famous stew, but Bree and I are up to our eyeballs in runes. I should have paid more attention in that class when I was in Hogwarts, eh? Don't wait up for me. I promise to make it up to you. I love you, Ethan.

"He's working late again," Maddie answered folding the letter back up.

"He sure sounds like a busy guy," Jared said, glad the bloke wouldn't be around.

"He is," Maddie said setting the letter down on the table. "This is his first really big case and he wants to make his dad proud."

Jared nodded although he couldn't care less. "This will be nice though, just you and me hanging out. We hardly get to see each other out of work."

"We'll have to do it more often," Maddie said walking back to the stove to check on the stew. "And I'm always here if you need to talk Jared. "

"You have no idea how much I appreciate that. I got so lucky that you were there in the Ministry. Otherwise I might be sitting with Smythe right now, talking about my visions and eating cold stew." he laughed.

Maddie laughed just picturing it. "You haven't lived until she's made you her Tofu Tortellini." She chuckled even harder at the look on Jared's face. "Don't ask..."

"I think I'd rather not know," Jared snorted. "Where's your silverware? I'll set the table."

"Right here," Maddie said motioning to the drawer beside the stove. As Jared opened the drawer, his arm brushed against hers.

"Thanks," he smiled at her.

A half hour later, Maddie and Jared were sitting at the table enjoying Maddie's beef stew and some bread rolls.

"So Ethan's working on this big case with his dad?" Jared asked conversationally.

"Not with his dad," Maddie replied. "He has a partner, his best mate Justin. And Bree, his ex girlfriend, is helping them out with some runes."

"His ex?" Jared asked.

"You remember Bree right?" Maddie asked, helping herself to more stew. "She was in the cafeteria that one time... we've seen her around the Ministry when we're going around the building."

"Oh right," Jared asked. He knew full well who this girl was and he planned on using her to help him get what he really wanted. "She and Ethan seem to be really tight."

"I guess they are," Maddie replied. "She's actually a very nice girl. I'm glad that she and Ethan have managed to stay friends."

"You don't feel threatened at all?" Jared asked. "I mean, if it was me, I don't know if I'd be all that comfortable with it."

"I suppose I could be," Maddie said thoughtfully. "But I trust Ethan, and I don't know Bree extremely well but I trust her too. Besides that, she's got a boyfriend that she seems to be quite hung up on."

Jared nodded and for a moment had to admire Ethan's technique. He had Maddie buying this line of crap hook, line and sinker. For all Maddie knew, Ethan and his ex were probably shagging in his office.

"A part of me actually hoped Cordy and me could have remained friends," Jared said shaking his head. Playing the sympathy card always worked with Maddie.

"I think it's a shame she's been so horrible to you," Maddie replied. "I guess because I never had many friends while growing up, I value the ones I have now. And I can't imagine being nasty to anyone who cared about me as much as you do about Cordelia."

Jared reached across the table and placed his hand on Maddie's. "You really are one in a million, Madeline."

She blushed and looked down at her empty bowl. "I'm not that great," she said modestly.

Jared looked earnestly at her. "You are, Maddie. You are the smartest, sweetest girl I've ever met. I've never known anyone quite like you."

"I've always enjoyed being an individual," she laughed self consciously.

"And you have the greatest laugh," he said smiling at her. "You do Maddie."

"Stop," her face was flaming. "You're going to give me an ego!"

"I could sit here all night and talk about all the great things about you," he said before taking a sip of his beer.

Maddie shook his head. "You're too much."

"Let's get started," he said rubbing his hands together. "You're an excellent cook, a great Seer, a good friend..."

"Please," Maddie begged. "You really don't have to do this..." her face was aflame and she was growing increasingly uncomfortable.

"Okay," he said laughing. "I'll stop. I can tell I'm embarrassing you."

"Thank you," she said. "Um... I have some ice cream if you'd like some dessert. Or some chocolate chip biscuits I made a few days ago."

Jared thought this over. "How about both?"

"Sure," Maddie said, taking the dishes to the sink.

Jared followed Maddie into the kitchen and noticed a picture of three babies on the icebox. "These must be the triplets you were gushing about, eh?"

"My new nephews and niece," Maddie nodded. "They were just born a week ago."

"Okay," he said. "This is going to be tough but your brothers are Jon, Josh and Ronald Junior. You have twin sisters named…don't tell me…Drew and Darla. Jon's married to Allison and they have two daughters named Caroline and Emma and you are Emma's godmother. How'd I do?"

Maddie laughed. "I'm very impressed. Hardly anyone can remember all my brothers and sisters and their kids."

"You talk about them quite a bit," Jared said. "I feel like I know them."

"My family is so important to me," Maddie said softly. "And when you were talking to me earlier about how you aren't close to yours, I can't help but be grateful for mine."

"You should be," Jared said. "You're lucky to have them Maddie."

"Well you already know this, but anytime you need to talk, whether it's about Cordelia or it's about your visions, you can come to me." Maddie offered sincerely.

Jared took his chance and gave Maddie a hug. It was extremely difficult to fight the urge to take her now in this kitchen. For now, a hug would have to do.

"Thanks Maddie," he said softly.

"Anytime Jared," she returned, completely unaware of his true intentions.

*** *** ***

That next day, Maddie and Jared were having lunch in the cafeteria together and talking quietly about the vision she'd had that morning. "It's really so nice to have someone else to discuss them with," Maddie said, happy that it hadn't been a violent vision for a change.

"That's what I've been saying all along," Jared teased her. "Have you just blocked me out?"

"Completely," Maddie joked. "I never listen to a word you say. You talk and I hear 'blah-blah-blah'."

"I knew it," Jared shook his head. "Women- they only hear what they want."

Maddie laughed. "You've figured us all out then?"

"I'd like to think so," Jared said, allowing a bit of flirtation to creep into his voice.

"Just eat your cheeseburger," she said snatching one of his chips with a sly smile.

"Oh so now you're stealing off my plate, is that it?" he laughed.

"You asked if I wanted one earlier," Maddie said grinning at him. "I never answered you. I just assumed the offer was still on the table as it were."

"All right," he shook his head. "You win Madeline Weasley."

"Yay!" Maddie said laughing. She was about to help herself to another of Jared's chips when she was Bree walking by with her own tray of food. "Bree, do you want to sit with us?"

Bree smiled. "Thanks Maddie. That'd be great."

"How are you?" Maddie asked. "I haven't seen you in a few weeks. And the four of us still haven't gotten our night out together!"

"I'm good," Bree replied. "Busy as can be. Ethan, Justin and I have been working on those runes. The only reason I got away now was because they were called away to do a raid. You should have seen the looks on both their faces...they were so ready to see some action."

Maddie laughed. "I bet they were. It's what they've been dying to do since they officially became Aurors." she smiled at Bree. "You remember Jared right? He works in the department with me?"

Bree nodded. "Yes, it's good to see you again, Jared."

"You too," Jared nodded politely, trying not to show his disinterest in the other girl.

"How's Mason?" Maddie asked conversationally.

"He's great," Bree said with a grin. "Things are going so well between us."

"That's great," Maddie said smiling at her. "When he finishes up here is he going back to America?"

"He was supposed to," Bree said, digging into her salad. "But now he says he might just stay on over here."

"I wonder why he'd want to do that," Maddie teased.

Bree laughed. "I like to think it has to do with me."

One of Maddie and Jared's co-workers Janet came up to them. "I'm really sorry to bother you guys," Janet apologised. "But Smythe needs to see you Maddie. There was a problem with the Pensieve."

"Oh," Maddie got up. "I'll be right back you guys. I'm really sorry." she apologised and left the cafeteria with Janet.

Jared was about to get up and follow them when he realised that sitting with Bree might prove to be fruitful. "So..." he began. "Maddie told me that you used to date Ethan."

Bree nodded. "A while ago."

"I think it's cool you and Maddie are able to be friends." he commented.

"I certainly never thought I'd be friends with my ex's girlfriend," Bree admitted. "But I really like Maddie. It's hard not to be her friend, you know?"

"Tell me about it," Jared agreed. "She's a really sweet girl."

"So are you seeing anyone?" Bree asked conversationally.

"I was," Jared said. "Her name was Cordelia, but we've broken up."

"I'm sorry," Bree said sympathetically. "Those are never easy to go through."

"It was hard," Jared worked himself up. "I thought we were ready to be married, and instead she dumps me."

"It's hard when you think you're both in the same place," Bree said softly. "And then you find out that you're not and it's like being hit in the face, you know?"

Jared looked at her a moment. "Was that what it was like for you and Ethan?" he asked perceptively.

Bree nodded. "Yeah, it was."

"What happened, if you don't mind my asking?" Jared tried not to sound too curious.

"We had both been working really hard," Bree said not sure why it was so easy to open up to this person who was basically a total stranger. She chalked it up to him wanting to know about getting over a break up so she didn't think anything of his curiosity. "He was in training and I was finishing up with University. We just spent a lot of our time apart and he reconnected with Maddie and it just fell apart from there."

"Did they date before you two got together?" Jared asked.

Bree shook her head. "No, she was still at Hogwarts. They reconnected during Christmas hols at her grandparents'. Ethan's not the type to run around on a girl. And Maddie would never do something like that either."

"Neither of them strikes me as the type," Jared said, finishing his burger. "Where did you and Ethan meet?"

"You don't want to hear that," Bree said laughing.

"Sure I do," Jared smiled at her. "I like Ethan," he lied. "And I'm just a curious bloke by nature."

"Okay," Bree said laughing. She leaned back in her chair. "Well his best mate was going out with my flat mate Sarah...."

***

"Come on Breeana," Sarah said pouting at her friend. "He's Justin's friend. You have nothing else to do tonight."

"I was going to sort out my room," Bree said defensively. "And I needed to catch up on that required reading..."

"You have GOT to be kidding me," Sarah said. "How often do I bug you to go on a blind date?"

"Every chance you get," Bree answered throwing some of her dirty clothes into a laundry basket. "And if I was really your friend, you wouldn't set me up with some of the freaks you have in the past. Remember Tom, the bloke who had mother issues? Or Ted, the cheapskate who conveniently left his wallet at home? Shall I go on?"

"This one is different," Sarah promised. "He's the Minister's son Bree! He should be right up your alley! Justin says he's really focused on his training just like you are for your schooling."

"He should have no problem getting a date then," Bree said trying to walk out of the room, but Sarah blocked her. "Sarah, let me by..."

"Bree please?" Sarah begged. "How about this. If you have a rotten time tonight, I promise to never, EVER set you up again."

Being as she knew Sarah wasn't going to stop until she got her way, Bree relented. "Okay, okay. What time are we going?"

Sarah squealed. "The guys are coming by in an hour."

"An hour?" Bree asked incredulously. She was still in her old grey sweatshirt and track trousers. "Sarah! I don't have anything to wear! I still have to take shower and they're going to be here in an hour?"

"You're a witch," Sarah grinned. "And I'll pick something out for you to wear. Go get yourself cleaned up and I'll put an outfit on your bed for you."

"Yes Mum," Bree said setting the basket back down on the floor.

Sarah gave her a look. "And do something nice with your hair. You have such gorgeous hair and you never do anything with it." she lectured.

"If I'm so hideous why are you setting me up with this bloke?" Bree asked as Sarah pushed her into the bathroom.

"Because you have a sparkling personality," Sarah shot back sarcastically.

Bree's retort was cut short by Sarah shutting the door. She really hoped she didn't end up regretting this.

Nearly an hour later, Ethan and Justin were sitting in the girls' sitting room.

"Sarah!" Justin called out. "Move your cute arse so we can go eat! I'm starving!"

"We're coming, hold your own arse!" Sarah called back.

"Ahh young love," Ethan said laughing at Justin. "You two really inspire me."

"She takes forever to get ready," Justin grumbled.

"Don't all girls?" Ethan asked. "Tell me more about her friend..." he said in a lower voice.

"She's cool," Justin said. "Sarah's been nagging me to get the two of you together. She thinks you'll hit it off. I've told you about her...long brown hair, slender. She's a cute girl and definitely not a groupie so she's not after you because of your name or your dad."

"Good to know," Ethan replied. "I'm so sick of those types."

"Yeah, I'd hate having women throwing themselves at me," Justin teased.

"You know what I mean you git," Ethan said. "I'm not that type of bloke."

"Aye," Justin said. "Well, you won't have to worry about that with Bree."

In her bedroom, Bree was looking at Sarah with wide eyes. "Sarah! I cannot wear that. It's too small! I'll look like a tart!"

"You will not, you'll look fabulous." Sarah insisted. "Come on, the guys are waiting!"

"Okay," Bree said taking the dress. "I'll just put it on and I'll be right out."

"Great," Sarah said. "I'll go join them. And don't you dare grab a jumper to throw over it or I'll never speak to you again."

"FINE," Bree said, pushing her out of the room.

"There's the love of my life," Justin said as Sarah came back into the room. "And where's Ethan's?"

"Getting dressed," Sarah said, giving Justin a kiss. "How's my ickle one tonight?" she giggled.

Ethan rolled his eyes. "Please do not do this in front of me."

"What?" Justin asked with a wicked grin. "Talk to my baby girl here?" he pinched Sarah's behind.

Ethan stood up, shaking his head. "In the name of all that is good and holy, please stop."

Bree took a deep breath and grabbed her bag. It was only two hours out of her life. And Sarah had promised that this one was going to be different. Of course, Sarah had said that before. She stumbled a bit with the strappy heels on her feet and wondered why she'd let her best friend talk her into this.

"Okay," she said coming into the room. "I'm ---"

Her words were cut off as her heel got caught in the rug.

Ethan reacted quickly as he got up and caught her before she hit the ground. "You must be Bree," he grinned at her.

Bree's cheeks reddened and she wished she could run back into her room. That was until she looked up and saw who had caught her. "I-I think so."

"I sure hope you are," he joked softly. "I'm Ethan."

Bree realised she was just staring up at him and she laughed nervously as he helped her up. "Yes, I'm Bree and I know how to make an entrance, obviously."

"I give her a nine out of ten," Justin joked. "She didn't stick the landing though."

Sarah pushed him. "Sod off." she smiled at her friend. "You okay?"

Bree nodded. "Just embarrassed."

"You should see my sister Saffron," Ethan told her. "She's a bit of a klutz. Except when she's on a broom."

"Flies better than you," Justin said dryly.

"She does not," Ethan replied. "She's only twelve."

"She still flies better than you," Justin shot back.

"Okay boys," Sarah said. "We could get in an argument about this or we could go eat."

"I vote eat," Justin said.

"You're just jealous cause she and I BOTH fly better than you," Ethan couldn't resist as a parting shot.

"Let's go," Justin said. "I'm starving."

"Thanks for catching me," Bree said to Ethan. "You're fast on your feet."

"It's a family trait," Ethan helped her on with a light wrap.

"Thanks," she said grinning shyly at him. So far, so good, she thought.

"So tell me a bit more about yourself," Ethan said as they followed Sarah and Justin. "All that wanker up there would say is that you were cute and brunette." he smiled at her. "At least he's right about something for a change."

Bree blushed. "I'm originally from Devonshire. My parents still live there and I don't get back nearly as much as I should. University keeps me pretty busy."

"Devonshire's a nice area," Ethan replied. "I've been that way once or twice."

"It is," Bree agreed. "I'm ashamed to admit that I don't really know that much about you. I mean, I know you're the Minister's son, but I---what? Why are you looking at me like that?"

"Nothing," Ethan shook his head. "Just that most girls drive me mad about this point, what with who my parents are, and who my sister is married to and all that... it's a nice change."

Bree smiled. "I guess it's not easy to be in your position."

"Well it's not the pits, but it's hard to find a decent girlfriend," Ethan joked.

"It's not so easy on my end either," Bree said. "Especially when your well-meaning best mate keep trying to pair you off with strange people. You'll be happy to know that you're the first one that I haven't gotten a bad vibe off of right off the bat. But the night's young, you could surprise me..."

Ethan laughed. "I've heard from other people that I'm rather normal."

"Normal is a very attractive quality," she said with a laugh. "One of the top ones actually."

"I'm glad you think so," he said, reaching for her hand.

Bree smiled as he did so and they walked the rest of the way to the restaurant with their hands intertwined.

Ethan and Justin went to the bar to get the girls something to drink while they waited for a table.

"Holding hands, eh?" Justin teased. "You work fast mate."

"She's cute," Ethan said. "And really level headed. I like her a lot."

"Good," Justin said slapping him on the back. "Nice save earlier by the way."

Ethan grinned. "Thanks mate."

"So," Sarah said as she and Bree sat down waiting for the guys to come back. "What do you think of Ethan? Didn't I tell you he was different?"

"For once you were right," Bree smiled at her friend. "I thought he might be a bit stuck up but he's really quite..."

"Gorgeous?" Sarah suggested. "Funny? Sweet? Nice? Shaggable?"

"Gorgeous definitely works," Bree snuck a glance at the bar and was flattered to see that Ethan was also looking back in their direction.

Sarah grinned. "You can name your first two children, Sarah and Justin."

"Stop it," Bree pushed her shoulder. "It's a first date Sarah!"

"I know," Sarah said. "But I know about these things. He's totally into you too. And you held hands!"

Bree turned red. "That was rather sweet," she admitted.

"What are you two chattering away about?" Justin asked as he and Ethan came back over. He handed his girlfriend a glass of white wine.

"Oh nothing important," Sarah smiled. "Thank you baby." she gave him a kiss.

Ethan shared a look with Bree. "Do they do this in front of you too?" he asked. "This revolting baby talk?"

Bree groaned. "Yes! All the time! It drives me mad!"

"You'd think two grown ups could act their age," Ethan said in a deliberate tone.

"If it bothers you so much," Justin said. "You and Bree could get your own table and we wouldn't annoy you so much."

"And you could be alone," Sarah sing-songed.

"You know Sarah, I always told Justin that tact wasn't one of your strong points," Ethan said with a grin. "But getting our own table sounds like a good idea to me. You game?" he looked at Bree.

"Sure," Bree said smiling at him. "And I promise you will get no baby talk from me."

"Great," Ethan said, offering her his arm.

Sarah winked at her friend as Bree took Ethan's arm and they wandered off to find a table.

"So," Bree asked as they both picked up menus and looked them over. She felt nervous and unsure of what to say in front of him now that they were alone.

"What are you studying in school?" Ethan asked. "Sarah told me you're in University."

"Wizarding Law," Bree replied.

"Wow," Ethan was impressed. "I heard that's really tough."

"It is," Bree said nodding. "But not as hard as being an Auror, I'm sure."

"Oh I don't know," Ethan said thoughtfully. "I mean, being an Auror is probably more of a physical job. And it's requires a lot of stealthiness too- especially when we have to go on raids and things like that. I've just started my training."

"Is that what you've always wanted to do?" Bree asked.

Ethan nodded. "Ever since I was a kid."

Bree smiled across the table at him. "Dream of catching the bad guys one day?"

"That's one of my dreams," he grinned. "I'd really like to work alongside my dad someday."

"You’re really close with your family then?" Bree asked.

Ethan nodded. "My parents have always been really supportive of me and my sisters. Jules lives down in Guilford now with her husband Nick and my two nieces, Ashley and Katie. Saffy still lives at home when she's not at Hogwarts. I've got my own flat just a few blocks away."

"That's really great," Bree said softly. "Family's important. My mum's always saying that they can drive you completely crazy, but when the chips are down, they're the ones you can really count on."

"That's so true," Ethan agreed. "You have any brothers or sisters?"

"I have an older brother," Bree said. "He's a healer."

"Sounds like you're a pretty ambitious duo," Ethan commented.

Bree laughed. "I suppose we are. I just want to make my mum and dad proud, you know? They'd sacrificed quite a bit for me and my brother."

"Did they?" he asked.

"Yes," she said. "Growing up, we didn't always have a lot of money. And my brother and I learned that you had to work hard for what you wanted."

"I suppose you can appreciate things more when you have to work for them," Ethan said bemusedly. "Jules and I always had whatever we wanted when we grew up, but our parents taught us not to take things for granted. That's part of the reason I wanted to be living on my own."

Bree felt herself staring at him. It would be so easy to fall for this bloke, she thought as she listened to him talk about his family. It was almost like he was too good to be true. When he caught her looking at him, she blushed. "I'm sorry."

"For what?" he asked, smiling at her.

"Truth?" she asked.

"That would be nice," he said lightly.

She laughed. "I was...well I was wondering if there was anything wrong with you?" At the look of horror on his face, she laughed even harder. "No, it's just that...you seem....perfect."

"I often get told I am," he teased.

"Do you now?" Bree laughed.

"From all my adoring fans," Ethan rolled his eyes but grinned. "Or rather, the adoring fans of my father who want to get close to me so they can get close to him or Nick."

"I'll let you in on a little secret," Bree said not knowing if it was the white wine she was drinking that emboldened her to say what she was about to or not. "I only want to get close to you."

Ethan smiled. "That feeling is mutual."

"Really?" she asked softly.

He nodded. "I'm finding that I like you a lot, Bree."

"Despite the clumsiness and the baby-talking flatmate?" she asked.

"I think the clumsiness is cute," he flirted, leaning in. "And you're forgetting that my best mate is the other baby talker."

"And to think I could have been doing laundry tonight," she said leaning in as well.

"I hope I'm a little more exciting than that," he said softly.

"I think you are," she said feeling her stomach doing little flips.

"What if I kissed you right now?" he asked, touching her cheek gently. "Would that make things even more exciting?"

"I don't normally kiss on a first date," she said softly. "But I'd be willing to make an exception..."

He pressed his lips to hers before she could finish her sentence.

Bree felt a little dazed when he pulled away a few seconds later when the waitress approached their table.

"Miss?" the waitress asked. "What can I get you?"

"I um...I don't know," Bree answered trying to focus.

"I'll have the pasta with chicken," Ethan said as Bree turned bright red and buried her nose in the menu.

"That sounds good," Bree finally said closing her menu. "I'll have the same."

"Fine," the waitress said with an amused smirk. "Coming right up."

"You all right?" Ethan asked once the waitress was gone.

"You're enjoying this," she said her cheeks still red.

"A little," he teased. "I enjoyed that kiss a lot more though."

Bree smiled. "Me too."

"Do you ever like to go dancing?" Ethan asked.

Bree nodded. "Yes, but most blokes I know have to be pissed to do it."

He laughed. "I could show you a few pointers. My dad's a great dancer, believe it or not. And if you'd like to go out again sometime, we could do that."

"You're making this really easy," she said.

"Am I?" Ethan asked. "Should I make it harder? Play hard to get, not ring you or owl you for a week and leave you wondering if I had a good time tonight?" he teased.

"No," she said laughing. "I think you're playing it just fine."

The rest of the evening went by way too fast and Bree and Ethan found themselves one of the last people to leave. Justin and Sarah had left awhile ago. As Ethan walked Bree back to her flat, he took her hand again. "Would you like to come upstairs?' she asked when they reached her flat.

"Sure," Ethan said. "If you don't mind."

"I don't mind," Bree said reaching for her keys.

***

"We clicked almost from the beginning," Bree told Jared. "That night, we stayed up talking and...I'm so sorry for boring you with that. You probably heard much more than you wanted to."

"That's all right," Jared replied, thinking the exact opposite. It seemed as if Ethan Potter was quite the fickle bloke, falling in and out of love on a whim.

"I'd never felt that way about anyone before," Bree said blushing. "He was my first love, you know."

"That's what Cordy was to me," Jared said, pulling a sympathetic face.

"It's not easy to get over them," Bree said quietly. "But it will get easier with time. I'm sure you've heard that."

"From everyone I know," Jared replied, dragging his chips through some catsup.

"I'm just glad that Ethan and I are friends again," Bree said. "I really missed having him in my life."

"Takes a pretty big person to become friends like that," Jared said, not believing a word of what he was saying. "I think it's cool you two patched things up."

"Me too," Bree agreed. She looked at her watch. "I'm sorry Jared, but I should really be getting back. If you see Maddie, would you tell her goodbye for me? I'm sorry I couldn't stay."

"Will do," Jared said. "It was nice talking to you Bree."

"Thanks," Bree said smiling warmly at him before picking up her tray and walking away.

Jared watched her go and smirked to himself. He really had no intentions of breaking up Ethan and Maddie. There was only one thing he wanted from the gorgeous blonde, and once he'd gotten it, she'd go right to the curb with all the others. Once he started planting little doubts in her head, it would only be too easy to go the rest of the way.

69. Chapter 68

A/N: Here’s today’s update for you guys- sorry it’s a bit late but better late than never ;) We did review replies earlier and answered every single one, so everyone who left an email should have received a notice about it. Thank you ALL- your comments were so fun to read and we enjoyed answering them!

H/Hr have some quality time in this, and you will see Frankie and Will, plus RJ’s big driving lesson. Hope you all enjoy it and please let us know what you think!

The holiday in Brighton coupled with what had happened with her father had left Hermione trying to play catch up at work. She'd tried to juggle checking up on her mother with working at the Ministry and the stress of the situation had started to get to her.

It was Harry's idea to spend a quiet night in not talking about work and doing something normal. He'd made dinner for his wife and they were now munching on popcorn while playing their third game of Scrabble.

Harry watched in amazement as his wife placed her tiles down on the board.

"L-E-G-E-R-I-T-Y. Is that a word?"

Hermione rolled her eyes. "Of course it's a word. It means quickness of the mind or body. And I believe that's a triple letter and triple word so I get 75 points on that one."

"Whatever," Harry muttered. He studied the board and plucked two of his tiles. "At," he said proudly. "Seven points."

"So now you're only 150 points behind me," Hermione said stifling a laugh as she wrote his score on the tablet. "This is soooo much fun."

"I bet you're certainly enjoying it," Harry grinned at his wife. He was glad to see her laughing and enjoying things again.

Hermione studied her tiles and then placed another big word down on the board which her husband questioned again and she challenged him to pull out the dictionary if he doubted her.

"I'm going to get some more soda," she said after writing her score down on the tablet. "You want anything else?"

"If we've got any butterbeer I'll have one," Harry answered, studying his own tiles to see what sort of word he could make next.

"Okay," Hermione said standing up. "And don't you peek at my letters while I'm gone either."

"What difference does it make?" Harry asked, but she was already in the kitchen.

Hermione came back carrying a glass of soda for her and a can of butterbeer for her husband. She saw him looking quite pleased with himself. "Did you make your move?" she asked. He pointed to the four-letter word he'd just played.

"Shag?" she asked laughing. "Well, you've moved up to four letters now..."

"Are you proud?" he teased.

"Definitely," Hermione said sitting back down. "I remember Dad and I used to play this all the time. He used to beat me every single time. I used to get so angry."

Harry laughed. "Was he the one who used the never before seen words like you're doing now?"

"Yes he did as a matter of fact," she grinned.

Harry shook his head. "All right, you walking dictionary. It's your turn."

Hermione looked thoughtfully at her tiles and then at the board. She had such a serious expression on her face as she leaned forward in her chair moving the tiles around on the holder. "Here's one I know that you'll know my love..."

She built onto a "T" that was already on the board by placing "R-A-B-B-I" in front of it.

Harry laughed. "That's not fair," he said. "I was going to use that one eventually."

"You still could," Hermione said encouragingly. "We're not finished yet."

"Right," Harry said, taking another tile and putting it on the end. "Rabbits. Plural." he grinned.

Hermione beamed at him. "That would be you and me."

"Yes it would," Harry leaned over and gave her a kiss. "Still on top after all these years."

"Thank you for doing this," she said. "I know you don't like to play, but it's just what I needed tonight."

"I don't mind too much," Harry said. "I'm just glad you're having a good time. You've been so busy these last few weeks I knew you needed one night of absolute nonsense."

"I did," she said placing some more tiles on the board. "You always know just what to do and what I need."

"That's why I'm still your Rabbit King," Harry said with a silly grin.

Hermione reached into the bowl and threw a piece of popcorn at her husband. "You like that title, don't you?"

"Only when you're sharing it with me," Harry tossed the kernel back.

"Ohhh," Hermione teased. "Were you the Rabbit King before you met me?"

"Not so much." Harry said, poking her side.

"Cho did say your first time didn't last very long," Hermione teased.

Harry gave her a look. "Your turn Rabbit Queen."

"Okay Mister One Minute," she said turning her attention back the board.

"That one was below the belt," Harry complained. "I never blew it that fast!"

"That's not what Cho says," Hermione told him. "She said it was very short, sweet and to the point."

"Cho wasn't the voice of experience herself," Harry grumbled. "She has a bigger mouth than anything else."

"You've come along way since then," Hermione reassured him. "I can certainly vouch for you."

Harry smiled as he set some tiles down. "Arse," he said proudly.

"Good one," Hermione said laughing. "Maybe I should read that trashy novel Isabella put out to see what she had to say."

Harry snorted. "Considering I supposedly cheated on you with her, it's probably given me a glowing review. Otherwise it makes her look bad that she stayed with me for so long." he rolled his eyes.

Hermione nodded. "Well, I haven't written any books, but if I did, you'd certainly get top marks from me. I've been satisfied for many, many years."

"As have I," Harry said softly, squeezing her hand.

They heard the front door opening. "Saffy, is that you?" Hermione called out.

"Yeah it's me," she called back.

"Come help your father," Hermione said. "I'm completely killing him..."

"Are you two playing chess?" Saffron asked, coming into the sitting room. "Oh Scrabble- he's just as bad at that."

"Thanks Saffy," Harry said sarcastically. "I'm not that bad."

"I'm beating you by 200 points," Hermione pointed out.

Saffron giggled. "Have you two been doing this all night?"

"After I made your mum dinner," Harry said.

"How was your grandmother?" Hermione asked. Saffron had spent the evening over at Elinore's with Sean.

"She was good," Saffron said. "She really liked meeting Sean."

"I appreciate you going over there," Hermione said giving her daughter a hug. "And I know it meant a lot to your Gran."

"I'm glad to spend time with her," Saffron replied. "I won't get to see her much while I'm away at school. And it was nice of Sean to come with me."

"He seems like a nice boy, doesn't he Harry?" Hermione asked.

"Sure," Harry replied. "Long as he keeps treating you right."

"He is," Saffron said smiling at him. "Dad, we're flying tomorrow right? After you get off work?"

"Sure," Harry stretched. "We could probably get in a game of pickup Quidditch if you get R.J. to come over."

"Oh yeah," Saffron said. "I was supposed to ask you if you'd teach him how to drive."

"R.J.?" Hermione asked. "Drive?"

"He wants to know," Saffron shrugged. "Personally, I'd be terrified to be in the same car as him. Probably be safest in the boot." she giggled.

Hermione laughed. "Well, Harry...he is your godson."

"I suppose if it's okay with Ron I could take him behind the wheel," Harry said.

"It's been nice knowing you Dad," Saffron said giving him a hug.

Harry mussed his daughter's hair. "Well is this game a lost cause for me Saffy?" he asked.

Saffron looked at the board. "I think so, Dad. You're pretty much toast at this point."

"Your mother wins again," Harry said, tickling his baby daughter.

"Daddy!" Saffron said giggling. "Stop!"

Hermione watched them and felt a little teary-eyed as she remembered nights like this with her own father.

"I don't get to do this anymore," Harry was laughing.

"Not in public anyway," Saffron said with a hiccup. "Mum..."

"Yes sweetheart," Hermione said trying to stave off the tears.

Harry stopped, noticing his wife's change of tone. "Sweetheart?"

"I'm okay," Hermione reassured him. "I just saw you and Saffy and it reminded me of my father. It's okay, really."

"Mum," Saffron left her father's side and hugged her. "I miss him so much too..."

"I think I'm doing okay and then something will remind me," Hermione said starting to cry. "It's so hard."

Saffron blinked back her own tears again. "I had to go into the loo tonight to cry when I was at Gran's. Being there is so hard sometimes- everything reminds me of him."

Hermione hugged her tightly. "I know, baby. Me too."

Harry sat down next to his wife and daughter and gathered them both in his arms without a word.

"I know this is hard on my mum too," Hermione said. "And I'm always trying to be strong for her."

"You're doing a fine job," Harry said.

"She told me tonight how much she loves having you around," Saffron said, wiping her eyes with the back of her hand.

"Lav's taken this hard too," Hermione sniffed. "Seamus says she's holed up at home and not wanted to go out."

"Maybe you should see if she wants to come over here for a few weeks," Harry said. "She needs to be around family right now."

"You really want Aunt Lav to stay here?" Saffron asked in surprise. Her father usually groaned and moaned whenever that possibility arose.

Harry chuckled. "I know. I felt my head to see if I hit it and left a bump."

"I'll owl her tonight," Hermione said. "Thanks Harry."

"Anything for you," Harry smiled at her.

"Julie told me if there's anything we can take from Grandpa's death is that we learn not to take the people we love for granted," Saffron said quietly. "I'm never going to do that. Take anyone I love for granted."

"That's good Saffy," Harry said. "And we know how you are with family."

"I love you guys," Saffron said resting her head on her father's shoulder.

"We love you too baby," Harry said, kissing her forehead.

"I'm going to head on up to bed," Saffron said a few moments later.

"Good night sweetheart," Hermione said giving her a hug.

"Night," Saffron kissed her mother on the cheek and then hugged Harry again.

"She's something else, isn't she?" Hermione said after Saffron went upstairs.

"She is," Harry said, dumping the Scrabble tiles back in the box. "Are you really okay?"

Hermione nodded. "I am. It just hit me when I saw you and Saffy together."

"I'm sorry," Harry replied.

"You made me forget about it for a little while," she said helping him clear things away. "Thank you for tonight, Harry."

"I'd do it anytime to make you happy," Harry replied, looking straight at her.

"What did I do to deserve such a great husband?" Hermione asked.

"I'm not quite sure," Harry teased. "It's not because you're a good cook..."

Hermione punched him on the arm. "I guess it's because I'm good in bed eh?"

"Oh that might have something to do with it," Harry picked her up honeymoon style. "I can still carry you like this... you're still the most gorgeous witch I've ever seen in my life..."

Hermione laughed and rested her head on his chest. "I love you, Harry James."

"I love you Hermione Jane," Harry answered. "Always have, always will."

He effortlessly carried her upstairs. "I think I know where this is headed," she said softly.

"I get to play with my lucky rabbit feet tonight?" Harry teased.

"Yes," Hermione said laughing.

"My favourite night time activity," he said with a wicked grin.

Harry kicked the door closed and carried his wife over to the bed.

"Going to last more than a minute?" she asked teasingly.

"You're the only one I can't wait for," he teased back.

"Good answer," she said pulling him down on top of her.

"Come on Rabbit Queen," he murmured, running his lips over her smooth neck.

Hermione arched against him. "Every time with you feels like the first," she said softly running her hands over his back.

Harry smiled down at her. "I aim to please."

"You always do," she said kissing him hungrily.

*** *** ***

Frankie Barron was incredibly excited. Aside from her and Will’s families, none of their friends had come over to see their new home yet. They’d just finished with their redecorations and now the place was as much a home as either of their flats had been.

She was humming as she finished putting on some earrings and a matching necklace- any minute now Maddie, Ethan and Alicia would be arriving and they would have a drink before heading out for the evening.

“All right,” Will said as he came in the room. “I set the wedding album out on the table- I know you said you wanted to look through it with Maddie and Alicia.”

“Thank you!” Frankie beamed at him.

"Those pictures don't do you justice though," Will said putting his arms around his wife.

She laughed. "You have the real thing," she said, kissing him. "Mmm... I love being married to you." Frankie closed her eyes dreamily.

"The honeymoon's not over then?" he asked holding her close.

"Will it ever be?" she asked huskily.

"I'm sure we'll have a few rows here and there," he said. "But making up will be really fun..."

The doorbell chimed and Will groaned. Frankie though clapped her hands excitedly and nearly sprinted out of the room to open the door.

"Hi you guys!" she bubbled as she pulled open the door to reveal an amused looking Ethan with Maddie. "Come in, come in!" she gave them both a big hug.

"Mrs. Barron I presume," Maddie said hugging her friend back.

"This place looks amazing," Ethan said looking around. The last time he and Maddie had seen the place it had been in serious need of a good paint job and major repairs.

"That's me!" Frankie laughed. "And thank you Ethan. Will and I really had our work cut out for us."

Ethan laughed and handed Will the bottle of red wine he and Maddie had bought as a housewarming gift.

"Thanks mate," Will said taking the bottle. "We can have a drink before we head out..."

"No we have to wait for Lee!" Frankie exclaimed.

"Of course," Will said. "Well how about I just go and get the glasses instead?"

"Okay then we'll be all ready when she gets here," Frankie replied.

"Whenever that is," Will muttered under his breath, heading for the kitchen.

"We went over to Allie and Jon's the other day," Maddie said as Frankie led them into the sitting room. "Emma and Caroline kept showing off those leis you brought them. Allie said they haven't taken them off."

"Did they have those hula skirts on too?" Frankie asked, leading them into the sitting room. "I couldn't resist when I saw them. Will and I got one for Mia too."

"Oh yes," Ethan said laughing. "Emma and Caroline even put on an impromptu hula dance for us."

"They were so cute!" Maddie gushed.

Frankie laughed too. "We have gifts for both of you as well!" she said. "I'll go get them and be right back!"

Ethan and Maddie sat down on the sofa. Will came back carrying glasses and set them down on the coffee table.

"I've never seen Frankie look so happy," Maddie commented smiling at Will.

"I'm glad," he replied. "I tell you, those last few days before the wedding I wasn't sure if she'd be there or not. I'd never say anything to her of course..."

"She didn't have any doubts," Maddie said. "She kept telling us how she couldn't wait."

"Here we are!" Frankie said carrying two boxes. "Here's Maddie's. And this one's for you Ethan."

Maddie smiled at her friend and then carefully opened the box to reveal silver plumeria earrings.

"Frankie!" Maddie gasped. "These are beautiful!"

"I saw them and immediately thought of you," Frankie replied.

"And you thought of me when you saw Macadamia nut brittle?" Ethan grinned. "This stuff is fantastic!"

"Well you are nuts," Frankie teased.

"That's a compliment coming from you," Ethan joked, giving her a kiss on the cheek. "Thank you Frankie. I won't let my girlfriend touch this or I'll never get any."

Maddie gave him a look of mock indignation.

The doorbell chimed again and Frankie grinned. "That'll be Lee. I'll be right back."

When Frankie opened the door, she found a sour looking Alicia.

"Your walkway was so...muddy!" Alicia whined. "Look at my shoes!"

"They haven't repaved it yet," Frankie said ushering her inside. "I'll charm the mud off Lee, it'll be okay."

"Okay?" Alicia said holding onto the doorframe as she took off her shoes. "These are Italian!"

"And we're witches with amazing cleaning spells," Frankie refused to let her friend's antics bother her. "Come on, I want to show you my new place. Oh- and I also have a gift for you from Hawaii." she took out the small box and handed it to her friend. Inside was a pair of expensive mother of pearl earrings that Frankie had seen and knew immediately that her friend would love.

"Franks!" Alicia said grinning at her friend. "These are exquisite!"

"I knew you had to have them," Frankie grinned back at her. "Everyone's in the sitting room- let me show you what we've done."

Alicia left her expensive shoes by the door and she followed her best friend into the sitting room where Maddie, Ethan and Will were talking.

"Hello Alicia," Maddie said warmly. "It's good to see you again."

"You too Maddie," Alicia said breezily, nodding at Ethan and Will.

"What's this?" Maddie asked looking at the elegant while album on the coffee table.

"The wedding photos!" Frankie exclaimed. "I wanted you and Lee to look at them!"

"Ooh," Maddie said with a grin. "I've been dying to see these." Everyone gathered around as she opened the album. "Look at those two!" she laughed, pointing to a picture of Caroline and Mia.

"They kept thanking me for giving them the tiaras," Frankie said giggling. "And they loved it when Will got down on one knee and kissed their hands."

"They were a cute touch," Ethan agreed.

Maddie turned the page to a picture of the entire wedding party. Alicia groaned. "Franks! You have to take this out right away. Look! I'm standing beside that short brother of William's..."

Will gasped dramatically. "I'm so sorry Alicia. Jack really tried to get taller for the wedding, but he didn't have enough time...”

Ethan and Maddie laughed at Will's theatrics but Alicia remained stone faced. "Well it looks ridiculous," she said.

"Lee he's only like two inches shorter than you," Frankie said. "And you wore your hair up and that made you seem taller than you are."

"Whatever," Alicia said coldly.

"Oh look," Maddie said turning the page again showing a photograph of the bride with all her bridesmaids.

"There's the prettiest group of women I've ever seen," Ethan said smiling at his girlfriend.

"Look at Chiaki," Frankie said proudly. "She kept complaining that she still looked like a house, but she looked gorgeous as always. And Allie looked beautiful..."

Alicia snorted quietly.

Frankie glared at her. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"Nothing," Alicia replied.

"You don't think my sisters looked pretty?" Frankie asked not ready to let this go.

"Well they could have looked nicer if they were thinner like we are- the ones who haven't ruined our figures by having children," Alicia said.

"I beg your pardon?" Frankie asked clenching her hands. "You can't tell Allie's had two children and Chiaki's well on her way to losing the weight she put on with the twins. And I'll have you know..."

"How about we take that tour?" Will suggested hastily.

"That sounds like a great idea," Maddie handed the album to him and he put it on the shelf.

Frankie got to her feet, eager to show everyone around her new home. "Well, this is the sitting room, of course. Will and I basically did the painting the Muggle way. He suggested it and at first I thought he'd gone mad, but we had so much fun didn't we sweetheart?"

"Aye," Will grinned at her. "Amidst all the paint fights that is."

Ethan laughed. "Those can be fun."

"Will refurbished the wood on those shelves," Frankie said proudly. "And he found that coffee table at an old thrift shop."

"It's rather drab, isn't it?' Alicia asked looking disdainfully around the room.

Maddie stared at her, amazed that the other woman could be so critical. "I think it's lovely," she volunteered.

"Thanks," Frankie said smiling at her friend. "And I know you’ll want to see the kitchen. Jon and Allie helped Will and me out and they gave it their seal of approval..."

"The kitchen is my favourite room," Maddie laughed. "Just ask Ethan."

"I need to ask Ron and Luna if she was born in a kitchen," Ethan joked. Frankie led the way into the kitchen with a bored looking Alicia bringing up the rear.

"I really like the colours we used in here," Frankie said. "The reds and the blacks. It's quite vibrant, don't you think?"

"Definitely," Maddie agreed. "Looks very contemporary yet very warm."

"Frankie and I were talking about possibly having a dinner party once we've settled in more," Will said conversationally.

"That could be a lot of fun," Ethan agreed.

"A dinner party!" Alicia suddenly came alive. "Will it be formal?"

"Formal?" Frankie asked thinking Alicia was joking. "The place is a little small for a formal dinner party, Lee. I was thinking more along the lines of casual."

Ethan snapped his fingers. "Damn, I was hoping to wear my ball gown, too!"

"Or a hula skirt? I'm sure Caroline would let you borrow hers. With a tiara," Will teased.

"Oooh!" Maddie said. "Frankie! You could have an island themed party. Everyone could dress up in island wear and you could have island cuisine..."

"What a great idea!" Frankie said excitedly. "Mads that's perfect!"

"Really?" Maddie asked, pleased.

"Will you help me plan it?" Frankie asked, not noticing Alicia's astonished look.

"I'd love to," Maddie replied.

"Wait," Alicia interjected. "I hardly think Madeline here has any experience planning parties."

"What does that matter?" Frankie asked.

Alicia rolled her eyes as if this should have been obvious.

Frankie silently counted to ten, not wanting to get upset on what was supposed to be a fun night with her friends. "Well, I was thinking we'd invited some of Will's co-workers and his brother and sister, of course. And I'd invite some people from the office as well as Jon, Allie, Drew, Darla, Josh, Lizzy, Nick, Julie..."

"What about our friends Frankie?" Alicia interrupted. "Have you forgotten about us in your new life of wedded bliss?" her words were laced with sarcasm.

Frankie stared at her in disbelief. "You interrupted me, Lee."

Alicia snorted. "Whatever."

"What is your problem?" Frankie asked not ready to let her off so easily.

"You've just changed, Frankie," Alicia exclaimed. "A year ago you'd drop everything to come out and party and now it's all Mr. Boring this, Mr. Boring that- you never make time for your real friends anymore!"

"My real friends?" Frankie asked. "What the hell is that supposed to mean?" She got right in Alicia's face. "You act as if I'm not supposed to have any friends except for you. And when I want to spend time with my sisters or with Ethan or Maddie or Merlin forbid my husband, you try and make me feel guilty for it."

"You are so different," Alicia said evenly. "You're boring just like them now Frankie."

Frankie looked as if Alicia had slapped her. "Boring? I am not boring!"

"Yes you are!" Alicia replied. "All you do now is sit in instead of going out. And whenever we try to make plans with you, it has to be weeks in advance when before it was always on a moment's notice."

Frankie let out a hollow laugh. "You've got to be kidding me! When I wanted to go shopping for bridesmaid dresses, you kept putting all of us out. We had to work around your schedule. My pregnant sister certainly didn't need to be out and about on her feet like that, but you didn't care! You've made rude and sarcastic remarks about people I care about and you've done nothing but be critical and mean since you walked in the door!"

"I'm just telling it like it is," Alicia retorted.

"Is that what you're doing?" Frankie asked folding her arms. "Well, okay then. I'll do the same. I think you should leave. Go!"

"Excuse me?" Alicia raised an eyebrow incredulously.

"If I'm so boring and predictable," Frankie said icily. "I don't see why you should subject yourself to spending time with me. So take your Italian shoes and your selfish attitude and get out of my house!"

Alicia stared at her for a moment then pushed past Ethan and stomped out, slamming the door shut behind her.

"Ugh!" Frankie moaned. "Can you believe her?"

"None of that was true baby," Will reassured her. "She's just jealous of you."

Frankie went into his arms. "I wanted to knock her lights out."

"Get in line," Ethan joked, trying to make her smile. "She's got some nerve to say that Frankie."

"Thanks Ethan," Frankie said gratefully. "You guys are my real friends."

Maddie gave her a hug. "For what it's worth Frankie, I'm glad you and I have gotten closer. You're the furthest person I know from being boring."

"Me too," Frankie said. "I wish we could have been closer growing up."

"Mads was too busy chasing after me and Dolly when she was a kid," Ethan said cheekily. "She didn't have time for anything else."

"And I finally got him," Maddie replied, pinching his side.

Will came back into the kitchen with the wine glasses and quickly poured them each a glass.

"How about a toast to my beautiful, vibrant, unpredictable wife?" he asked raising his glass.

"And my incredibly boring husband?" Frankie asked with a soft smile. "Who really isn't boring at all? And to the best of friends," she included Ethan and Maddie in her grin.

"Here! Here!" Maddie said clinking glasses with them.

"Thanks you guys," Frankie said after they'd all drank. "I really mean that. You've become my best friends."

"Even me?" Ethan asked.

"Believe it or not," Frankie joked.

*** *** ***

"Please Daddy?" Saffron gave him a begging look. "I really want to go. And besides, you said I should observe everyone so I can see different driving styles.”

R.J. was coming over so Harry could start showing him what being behind the wheel was like and Saffron was doing her very best to convince her father to let her go along.

"I don't know Saffy," Harry replied. "I'd really like to see how good a driver he is, and if he's really bad, I don't want you in the car."

"You're not taking him out on the motorway," Saffron argued. "I heard you tell mum you were going to teach him in that old parking lot..."

"Anything can happen in a car, anywhere," Harry said. He sighed. "If you promise to sit quietly in the back with your seat belt on, you can go."

Saffron crossed her fingers behind her back. "You won't even know I'm there."

"All right," Harry conceded.

"Thanks Daddy!" Saffron said hugging him.

"You're welcome baby," Harry kissed the top of her head. "Let me know when R.J. gets here all right? I've got a few things to do in my office before we leave."

"Okay," she said picking up her book. "I'm just going to finish my book."

"Sounds good," Harry smiled at her before leaving the room.

Saffron settled down in her favourite chair in the sitting room with her book.

It was a half hour before the fireplace roared to life and R.J. came tumbling out, coughing as he dusted himself off. "Haven't you lot ever heard of cleaning your fireplace?" he asked wheezing.

"What have you got on?" Saffron asked looking at her friend who was wearing a leather jacket and sunglasses. "R.J., it's the middle of summer! And I hate to break this to you, but Dad's not taking you out on a motorcycle."

"My dad said I should dress like a Muggle," R.J. said defensively.

Saffron giggled. "And you put gel in your hair?"

"What's wrong with that?" R.J. asked.

"Nothing," Saffron giggled. "You look fine. You just might want to lose the jacket."

"All right," R.J. said, shrugging out of it. "I really didn't like it that much anyway."

"Whose is it anyway?" Saffron asked taking it from him.

"Andrew's," R.J. replied.

"I'd say Andrew needs to rethink his fashion sense," Saffron said tossing it on the sofa. "I'll go tell Dad you're here."

"Okay Saf," R.J. said with a grin.

"I'm coming with by the way," Saffron said sweetly over her shoulder before leaving to get her father.

"What?" he asked. "Why? You're just going to take the Mickey out of me if I do bad!" R.J. called after her.

"Who me?" Saffron called back.

R.J. followed her. "You promise you won't bug me?" he asked.

Saffron kept silent as she led the way to her father's office.

"Saf," R.J. said warningly.

"I think you might be frustrated since my best friend and your girlfriend has gone on holiday with her parents until we go back to school," Saffron teased.

"I miss her already," R.J. replied. "I did get an owl from her last night though. She's having fun but she wishes I was there. Absolutely no mention of you though," he grinned wickedly at her.

"She wrote me too," Saffron shot back. "Of course, her letter kept droning on and on about Ben, Ben, Ben."

R.J. narrowed his eyes. "What the hell would she be talking about him for?"

"I don't know," Saffron said thoughtfully. "Maybe since his family and hers always go on holiday together around this time."

"Why didn't she tell me that?" he asked indignantly.

"Maybe because she had a feeling you might react like that," Saffron guessed. When she noticed the look on his face, she felt bad for teasing him. "She didn't mention him in her letters, R.J.. She kept on for about two pages about how much she missed you. Honestly!'

"Oh," R.J. said, feeling a bit foolish. "Two pages?"

"Two mushy, fluffy pages," Saffron replied nodding. "Don't ask me for concrete details. After awhile I had to stop reading because I was a bit nauseous."

R.J. laughed. "That's my girl," he said.

Saffron knocked on the door to her father's office. "Dad? R.J.'s here."

"Come on in," Harry replied.

Saffron opened the door.

"Thanks for agreeing to do this, Uncle Harry," R.J. said smiling at him. "I've wanted to learn for ages."

"Sure R.J.," Harry smiled back. "Nice hair."

Saffron laughed. "That's what I told him."

"My dad told me I had to look like a Muggle!" R.J. raised his hands to his red hair and mussed it back up.

"You are getting tips on being a Muggle from a bloke who calls a telephone a 'fellytone'," Harry joked.

"Right," R.J. grimaced. "That's the last time I listen to him."

"Are we taking your car or Mum's?" Saffron asked.

"We'll take mine," Harry said, pushing his papers aside. "R.J. have you ever driven anything before?"

"Does a Muggle bicycle count?" R.J. asked.

Harry laughed. "Not really," he said. "I'm going to take you to this old parking lot for practise. I'll drive over and I want you to watch and see what I do. And then once we get there you'll take over."

R.J. nodded. "That sounds good. I think I'll be a natural. It can't be any harder than being on a broom."

"Well the thing you have to remember is that in the sky you're generally alone," Harry said as he R.J. and Saffron walked out to the car. "On the road, you'll have plenty of idiots right in your way and you have to be aware of everything at all times."

R.J. slid into the passenger seat while Saffron gleefully sat in the back.

"This is a great car Uncle Harry," R.J. said admiringly.

"Thanks R.J.," Harry replied as he turned the ignition on and put the car in reverse. "You see how I did that?"

R.J. nodded. "What's the "R" stand for?"

"Reverse," Harry replied. "The D is drive, the N is neutral..."

"The 'P' is for park," Saffron chimed in from the backseat.

"I don't know what any of that means," R.J. said.

"Reverse is when you want to move the car backwards," Saffron answered before Harry had the chance. "Park is the gear you put the car in when you want to..."

"Stop the car?" R.J. finished.

"Got it in one," Harry said grinning at him.

"And drive seems pretty obvious," R.J. said thoughtfully.

"Well we're going to keep it in reverse while we back up," Harry said. "Look down there at the pedals...."

R.J. leaned over. "So when you want to go, you press the left one with your foot?"

"Right," Harry said explaining what the other pedals and gadgets were. Saffron leaned forward to get a better look.

"Can we put some music on?" Saffron asked.

"Saffron," Harry said. "You said you wouldn't make a sound back there."

"Right," Saffron said leaning back and buckling her seatbelt. "Let's get the show on the road."

Harry drove to the parking lot, explaining different things to R.J. along the way. "All right," he said, putting the car in park. "Let's see what you can do."

R.J. grinned and opened up the door to switch places with Harry. He'd watched his godfather closely and figured that he'd be a natural.

"Assume crash positions," Saffron said in a serious voice as R.J. got into the driver's seat.

"Saffron Grace," Harry said, giving his daughter another warning look.

"Okay," Saffron said. "This is me being completely quiet."

"Keep it that way," Harry replied. "All right R.J., shift it into reverse."

"And then I hit the gas, right?" R.J. asked doing as he was told. Before Harry could answer, R.J. had pressed firmly on the gas pedal and the car careened backwards.

"Whoa!" Harry said. "R.J.!"

"How do I stop?" R.J. asked.

"Other pedal!" Harry said his hands clutching the door handle.

"This one?" R.J. asked moving his foot to the other pedal and pressing hard. The car came to an abrupt halt.

"Ow!" Saffron said as her body was flung back.

"Saffy, you okay?" Harry asked his daughter.

"Yeah," she said.

"Sorry," R.J. was red faced. "I hit the pedals too hard."

"It's okay," Harry reassured him. "How about we try it again? And this time, easy on the pedals."

"Just press them gently at first," Saffron chimed in.

"Right," R.J. said nodding. He exhaled as he gently put his foot on the gas again.

"Good," Harry said encouragingly. "Now you'll want to turn the wheel and we'll circle the lot..."

"Slow like when I hit the pedal?" R.J. asked nervously.

"You're doing fine," Harry told him.

"Okay," R.J. said, his palms sweating.

"What brought about wanting to learn to drive?" Harry asked as R.J. drove around the lot. "Your Muggleborn girlfriend?"

"That's part of the reason," R.J. said. "But it just looks cool too... and I like to know how to do other things that aren't magic."

"I can help you there," Saffron said. "There's the Internet. Did you know I can talk to Aunt Lav on the computer?"

"Your aunt Lav can use a computer?" Harry joked. "Who'd have thought?"

"You're one to talk," Saffron said. "You type so slow Dad." She mimicked her father's hunt and peck style.

"Not everyone can be perfect like you Saffy," Harry said dryly.

"It's a crying shame, isn't it?" Saffron said grinning at him.

Harry shook his head. "Okay R.J., I want you to pull into one of those spaces and put the car in park."

"In between those white lines?" R.J. asked.

"Right," Harry said.

R.J. gripped the steering wheel as he slowly drove toward the parking space. He was a little crooked, but he did make it in between the lines. He shifted the car into park. "How's that?" he asked.

"Good job," Harry smiled at him. "Especially for a first try."

"And we're all in one piece," Saffron said patting his shoulder. "Good job."

"How long did it take you to figure this out Ms. Perfect?" R.J. asked.

"I've only driven once," Saffron said. "My grandpa took me out."

"Oh," R.J. said. "Sorry..."

"It's okay," Saffron reassured him. "We had fun. He took me to a parking lot like this one and he let me circle just like you did. I scared him quite a bit, but after we finished, he drove us to his favourite diner and we had the biggest sundae you've ever seen. Well, I did anyway. He had to get the fruit plate."

"But I bet you gave him a bite or two right?" Harry smiled at his daughter.

Saffron nodded and smiled. "I promised not to tell Gran."

"A sundae sounds really good to me right now," R.J. said eagerly.

"Can we Dad?" Saffron asked. "We could even go to Grandpa's diner. R.J., these things are huge!"

"How about we do a bit more driving?" Harry suggested. "We've only done a little bit."

"I'm game," R.J. said. He looked in the rear view mirror at his friend. "Ready to risk it again Saf?"

"I suppose," Saffron teased him.

"I don't know how you put up with her," R.J. said to his godfather.

"She's got her own sense of charm," Harry replied.

"Which I got from you Dad," Saffron said.

"If you say so love," Harry winked at R.J.. "All right, let's make a few laps around here and this time I want you to back into the parking spot."

"Back in?" R.J. asked. "I don't know..."

"I'll show you how," Harry interrupted him patiently. "This is why we're here right now."

"Dad, I think you should give up the whole Auror thing and be a professor like Jules," Saffron said proudly. "You could take Smelly Snape's place."

Harry laughed. "That would be the day."

"He's beyond ready to retire," Saffron argued. "How cool would it be to have my sister, my dad and...Mum could be headmaster!"

"I don't think your Mum is quite ready to give up control as Minister Saffy," Harry replied as R.J. turned the wheel and began to drive back to the other side of the lot.

"Why don't you do it?" R.J. asked Saffron. "You know everything already..."

"Sod off," Saffron stuck her tongue out at him.

"You two aren't going to believe this, but there was a time not so long ago that you two actually got along," Harry said laughing.

"We still do," Saffron said. "R.J. just still needs to learn that everything I say is right."

"Never going to happen," R.J. said turning the wheel.

Saffron shook her head sadly. "One of these days you'll admit it R.J.."

"Planning on torturing me?" R.J. asked. "Because that's the only way that would ever remotely happen."

"I could make that happen," Saffron returned.

"You know," Harry said thoughtfully. "I have a feeling that this is what it would have been like for me if Hermione had gone to school with me and Ron."

"What- they'd argue all the time?" Saffron asked.

"Aye," Harry said. "Much like they do now and I'd be in the middle..."

R.J. laughed. "Can you just picture that? They'd drive each other mad."

"They drive each other mad now," Saffron commented.

"Yeah but back then, when they were our age?" R.J. asked, slowing as he prepared to put the car in reverse. "I would think they'd have killed each other."

"And he'd probably use Mum to help him with his work," Saffron said. "Like some people I know..."

"I only asked you to do one essay," R.J. said in his defence.

"Let me guess," Harry said. "You asked her to look over it and she was so disgusted, she rewrote the whole thing?"

"Good guess," R.J. said, slowly backing the car. "How am I doing?"

"Good," Harry said looking over his shoulder. "That's it..."

R.J. pressed down a bit harder on the gas pedal. Again, the car careened backward and he slammed his foot down on the brake, making the tires screech against the pavement.

"You have a bit of a lead foot," Harry said with a slight laugh.

"A what?" R.J. asked confused.

"It means your foot really fancies the gas pedal," Saffron said, fixing her plait.

"I'm sorry Uncle Harry," R.J. said sheepishly. "I guess I don't like going slow."

"Might be a problem if you go out on the motorway," Harry said. "Muggle police aren't going to take the fact that you don't like going slow as a valid excuse."

"You'll get a ticket," Saffron replied. "And you don't want one of those."

"A ticket?" R.J. asked confused. "What's that for?"

Saffron shook her head. "Dad he has so much to learn."

"I haven't had much experience living as a Muggle Saf," R.J. said defensively. "I'm sorry if I'm not up on all the lingo and the ways of their world."

"But if you want to drive you have to know all this," Saffron pointed out. "Right Daddy?"

"Right," Harry said nodding. "You just need practise R.J.. And I'll help you anyway I can."

"If I get really good," R.J. said. "I might ask mum and dad to get me a car for my graduation present."

"You'll really have to prove you know what you're doing," Harry said. "Cars are expensive, much like a decent broom only more."

"Wouldn't you rather have your own flat?" Saffron asked her friend. "Like your mum and dad gave Josh and Jon when they graduated? You probably won't even need a car R.J.."

"I don't know," R.J. said, one again attempting to back the car into the spot. "Maybe..."

"Easy," Harry cautioned. "There you go. You're doing fine..."

This time R.J. kept his foot on the gas pedal lightly and he managed to stop cleanly in the spot.

"Brilliant!" Harry said grinning at him. "Couldn't have done it better myself."

"Nice job R.J.," Saffron smiled at him. "That was almost as good as me."

"Thanks Saf," R.J. said smiling at her in the rear view mirror. "This is a lot tougher than riding a broom."

"Well like I said, you'll get better in time," Harry replied. "But for your first time behind the wheel, I'm pretty impressed R.J.."

"I know you're incredibly busy," R.J. said. "But would you give me a few more lessons before we go back to school? I'd really like to learn as much as I can before we go back."

"I'm sure we can take a spin or two again," Harry said. "Maybe on the weekend sometime."

"Great," R.J. said. "That way I can give Saf some tips on flying. She thinks she's going be to be seeker this year."

Saffron scoffed. "I AM going to be. You just watch, Mr. Captain. I'm going to wow your socks off at tryouts."

"I can't wait to see it," R.J. said. "Of course, you can't be as good as me, but with time..."

"Oh please," Saffron rolled her eyes. "I fly circles around you Ronald Jr."

"I was flying when you were still in nappies," R.J. shot back.

"A foot off the ground," Saffron retorted.

"Okay," Harry said quickly. "How about R.J. and I switch seats and we go get that ice cream?"

"Oooh, I want a hot fudge sundae with loads of nuts," Saffron said. "And cherries too!"

"That sounds good for a starter," R.J. said.

Saffron giggled. "So does that mean you're planning on having two sundaes R.J.?"

"I'm not going to limit myself," R.J. said thoughtfully. "I'll see how it goes."

"Ethan told me when he and Maddie go out for ice cream she eats hers and then like half of his too," Saffron said as her father and R.J. switched seats.

"Mads has a bigger appetite than me," R.J. said. "She's about as bad as Dad."

"And she's so thin," Saffron sighed. "It's not fair."

Harry laughed. "That's the one thing we could never figure out about Ron. How he manages to never gain a stone although he eats more than all of us put together."

"He's still telling mum he's a growing boy," R.J. said laughing.

"And if I know Luna at all she won't believe a word of it," Harry grinned.

"She doesn't," R.J. said. "She doesn't let him get away with too much either."

Saffron giggled. "She's got him on a tight leash."

"The way you have poor Sean," R.J. said.

"I do not keep Sean on a leash," Saffron said. "He enjoys being with me."

"Slip him a love potion did you?" R.J. teased. "Did you unleash the monster in his chest, Saffron?"

"Huh?" Saffron gave him a strange look. "Monster in his chest? That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard R.J.."

"I read it in a crappy book once," R.J. said.

"Must have been really crappy," Saffron snorted.

"Your dad said something about that too, some monster thing," Harry shook his head as he turned into the restaurant.

"Maybe Dad and I read the same book," R.J. said thoughtfully.

"I can't believe you read a whole book," Saffron teased him. "Someone mark down the date and time!"

"I read," R.J. said glaring at her. "I read all the time."

"You read Quidditch magazines," Saffron pointed out. "Not books."

"I read The Quibbler," R.J. told her. "And I've read all my mum's books."

"You have to," Saffron argued. "It's your mum."

Harry parked the car and got out but Saffron and R.J. were too busy arguing to realise what was going on.

"You and Lex always have your noses stuck in some book," R.J. said. "There's a lot more fun ways to spend your time you know."

"I happen to enjoy reading and so does Alexa," Saffron informed him.

"Obviously," R.J. said sarcastically. "You have how many books now?"

"Well over a hundred in my room at home," Saffron said proudly.

"What's that book you were reading when I got to your house?" R.J. asked. "By some bloke named Shake something?"

"Shakespeare," Saffron corrected. "And it's called Romeo and Juliet. It's a play- and it's completely remarkable."

"I dated a girl named Juliet," R.J. said. "Come to think of it, I think her parents named her after that. It must be pretty famous, eh?"

Saffron laughed. "He's only one of the most famous and most amazing writers that ever existed."

Harry knocked on the window startling both his daughter and R.J..

"Sorry," he said when Saffron had rolled the window down. "I was just wondering if you two realised we were here."

"Oh!" Saffron pulled off her seat belt. "Sorry Dad," she grinned sheepishly.

R.J. pulled off his seat belt as well. "Have you heard of that Spearhead bloke, Uncle Harry?"

"Shakespeare," Saffron said. "Honestly R.J.!"

"Whatever," R.J. said laughing.

70. Chapter 69

Authors’ note: We guess you could sum up this chapter with the word family. You get two family scenes in this one---one that centers heavily on the Weasleys and then the other that involves the Potter clan with a nice little flashback with Robert Granger. We hope you enjoy the chapter. Stay tuned for the new story---the first chapter of that one will be posted sometime this week.

With all that had been going on with Josh and Lizzy having their triplets and Toshio and Chiaki having their twins, it had been quite an eventful summer. Allison spent most of her free time helping out Chiaki and Lizzy when she could. Lizzy and Allison had both been extremely busy that they'd almost forgotten that Josh and Jon's birthdays were coming up. They both decided that a surprise party might be what was in order and they set about planning it with Maddie and Frankie's help.

They decided to have a barbecue in Allison and Jon's backyard. Ron had volunteered to take his sons out breakfast.

"Daddy's going to be so surprised!" Caroline said excitedly as she helped her mother with some last minute decorations. "I wanted to tell him so bad Mummy, but I kept it a secret."

"That's my good girl," Allison praised her.

Frankie came out of the house carrying a bowl of crisps. "How much longer until they're back?" she asked her sister.

"Probably another half hour or so," Allison replied. "Depending of course on how many servings of breakfast my father in law has."

Cho carried Emma outside. The little girl was still wearing her hula skirt and lei. "She wouldn't wear anything else," Cho said to Allison.

"Is that my little Hawaiian baby?" Allison laughed. "Come here sweetheart."

"Hooooo!" Emma squealed. "La. La. La."

"I think I am the aunt of the year for getting those for the girls," Frankie said proudly.

Emma toddled unsteadily over to her. "Aunt Frack!" she shouted happily.

Frankie scooped her up. "Frankie, sweetheart. Not Frack. Fran--kie."

"Frack," Emma nodded, her red curls bouncing.

Will laughed. "That would make me Uncle Frick, I reckon?"

Allison and Cho both laughed at that. "I think we've got everything put together," Allison said, looking around her backyard. "Thanks to my other Hawaiian girl." She grinned at Caroline.

"I'm the bestest helper," Caroline said proudly.

"That you are Angel," Allison kissed her head. "How about you go get yourself ready now? I'm sure Mia will be here soon."

"Okay," Caroline said grabbing Cho's hand. "Will you help me, Grandma?"

"I'd love to," Cho smiled at her. "We won't be long."

Allison watched as her mother walked with Caroline back into the house. Will was at the grill already cooking away with Toshio's help.

"I should probably go get changed as well," Allison said looking at her old t-shirt and shorts. "I look a mess..."

"I'll help you," Frankie offered.

"Thanks," Allison said gratefully. "I bought a new dress, but I wasn't sure how it would look. I'd love a second opinion."

"Fashion is my middle name," Frankie joked, shifting Emma to her other arm.

"You always look fantastic," Allison said smiling at her sister.

"I try," Frankie said with a grin as they went inside. "Where's Lizzy and the triplets?”

"They're going to be here soon," Allison replied. "Aidan and Casey were being a bit fussy."

"I can't believe Josh and Lizzy have THREE kids," Frankie shook her head as Allison went into her closet for the dress.

"Tree," Emma said as she sat on Frankie's lap.

"I know," Allison said. "Lizzy told me she can't believe it herself sometimes." Allison pulled out the periwinkle sundress and held it up for Frankie's approval. "What do you think?"

"I think it's going to look beautiful on you," Frankie said honestly, kissing the top of Emma's head.

"Really?" Allison smiled.

"Definitely," Frankie grinned at her. "What do you think Em? Does Mummy look gorgeous?"

Emma looked at her mother and nodded. "Mama!"

Allison leaned forward and kissed Emma's forehead. "Mummy's going to get changed in the loo and she'll be right back. You be good for Aunt Frankie, okay?"

"Good," Emma echoed.

"I really do love what you and Will did with your place," Allison said from the bathroom as she changed into the dress. "It was quite the transformation, Frankie."

"Thanks Allie," Frankie said proudly, toying with Emma's hair. "Will and I had fun redecorating."

"And how is married life?" Allison called out.

"So far, so great," Frankie laughed. "I don't know what I was so afraid of."

Emma giggled as Frankie tickled her side.

Allison quickly dabbed on some makeup and then grimaced when she saw her hair. "Frankie, I need you!"

"What's wrong?" Frankie was in the doorway in an instant.

"My hair," Allison groaned. "Can you salvage it?"

"Oh it doesn't look that bad Allie," Frankie said, handing Emma to her sister and grabbing a brush.

"I've always been so jealous of you and Chi," Allison said sitting down at the vanity table with Emma in her lap. "You both have Mum's hair."

"Your hair is fine," Frankie said. "It's straight and thick like ours, but yours is brown instead of black."

"Byoofull," Emma said squirming in her mother's lap.

"See even Emma agrees," Frankie said running the brush through Allison's hair.

"I guess," Allison said. "Sometimes I still feel so plain next to you and Chiaki."

"Are you joking, Allie?" Frankie asked. "You're gorgeous and always have been."

"That's what Jon always tells me," Allison replied.

"Listen to the git," Frankie said smiling at her sister. "He knows what he's talking about."

"Git," Emma repeated.

Frankie froze. "I'm sorry! That's a bad, bad word, Em. Don't say that, okay?"

"Mama?" Emma asked, looking up at her mother.

"Aunt Frankie's right," Allison said. "Bad word."

"Oh," Emma said, clasping her chubby hands together.

"So do you want to wear it up or down?" Frankie asked.

"Whatever you think will look best," Allison said. "It's gotten so long and I haven't had much time to do anything with it lately."

"I think it would look great up," Frankie said thoughtfully. "Especially since we'll be outside."

"I'll take your word for it," Allison smiled at her sister. "Thanks Frankie."

"No problem," Frankie said. "I'd better work quickly. We want to be ready for your husband, the g-i-t."

"Right," Allison laughed.

A few minutes later and Frankie was putting the finishing touches on Allison's hair.

Caroline came hurrying into the room with her grandmother in tow. "Mummy! It's about time...Oooh!"

"You look pretty Angel," Allison said. "Did Grandma do your hair for you?"

Caroline nodded. "I was going to wear my hula skirt too, but since Katie doesn't have one, I didn't want her to feel left out. You look really pretty Mummy."

"Thank you sweetheart." Allison said. "Daddy's going to be home any minute. Is your Aunt Lizzy here with the babies yet?"

"They're in the sitting room with Anna and Luke," Cho said.

"I can't wait to see them," Allison said, getting up and letting Emma walk over to her sister.

"Sissy git," Emma said reaching for her sister's hand.

"Emma!" Allison said. "No!"

Emma looked innocently up at her mother.

"That's my fault," Frankie apologised sheepishly.

"That's a bad, bad word Em," Caroline said with wide eyes. "You don't want to say that in front of Grandpa Ron. He gets in the doghouse with Grandma!"

"Maxi’s house!" Emma said frowning.

Allison, Cho and Frankie couldn't help laughing. Cho knelt down in front of her granddaughters. "Let me let you two in on a little secret. Your Grandpa Ron stays in the doghouse."

"Why?" Caroline asked curiously. "Where does the dog sleep then?"

"With your Grandpa," Cho answered dryly.

"Max has really bad breath Grandma," Caroline answered. "I don't think Grandpa would like to sleep with him."

Cho laughed. "We'll just have to make sure Grandpa behaves himself, right?"

"Gamma!" Emma held her arms out.

Cho picked Emma up. "Do you want to go see your baby cousins? And then get ready to surprise your Daddy?"

"Dada!" Emma hugged her. "Eat!!"

"That's right," Cho said carrying her out of the bedroom. Allison, Frankie and Caroline followed.

Lizzy grinned when she saw her friends. "I'm sorry I'm so late. The yard looks fantastic, Allie."

"Thanks Liz," Allison hugged her friend. "You look great! I wouldn't have known you just had three babies a month ago!"

"You're such a liar!" Lizzy said hugging her back.

"I am not," Allison said. "Where are the three new ones? I've been waiting to give them kisses all morning."

"In the pram," Lizzy replied. "They're kipping."

"I guess I'll have to wait a little longer," Allison laughed, peering over. "They've gotten so big already." she whispered.

"I bet Sukie and Casey will be best friends," Caroline stepping on her tiptoes so she could look into the pram. "Just like Katie and me."

Lizzy smiled at her goddaughter. "I hope so sweetheart." she replied.

"Allie," Julie said stepping inside. "You lot better get out here. Josh and Jon are due any moment."

"Right Jules," Allison smiled at her. "Thanks." she took Caroline's hand. "Are you ready to surprise Daddy?"

Caroline nodded. "Let's go hide!"

Meanwhile Ron was leading his three sons up the walkway to Jon and Allie's house. Ron was trying to be as slow as possible just in case everything wasn't ready.

"Ow!" Ron yelped doubling over.

"What?" Jon asked, giving his father a strange look. "You've been acting mad all morning!"

"I think it might have been something I ate," Ron said clutching his stomach.

Josh stared at his brother incredulously. "Dad, you have a cast iron stomach."

"My whole life is flashing before me," Ron said dramatically.

R.J. turned away so his brothers couldn't see him laughing. His father was laying it on way too thick.

"Come on," Josh said. "I want to get home and spend time with my wife and kids already."

R.J. caught sight of Frankie in the backyard who gave him the thumbs up sign before ducking back behind the fence.

"Dad," R.J. said clapping his father on the back. "I think you're going to be okay. You know, to go inside..."

"Are you sure?" Ron moaned weakly. "I may need to sit out here for say, an hour... or two..."

R.J. nodded. "I'm positive. Things are fine. Come on now."

"If you say so," Ron replied as his youngest son gave him a look.

"Maybe Seamus should cast Dad in one of his films," Jon cracked, letting them in the front door. "He could win an award for worst performance of a stomach ache."

Josh laughed. "I thought Seamus liked his films making money..."

"Al?" Jon called out. "Caroline? Emma?" No one answered. "Where is everyone?"

"Maybe they're out back," R.J. suggested. "It's a nice day and you know how Caroline likes flying around the yard on that carpet."

"You think your weak stomach will be okay Dad?" Jon joked as he and Josh headed to the backdoor.

"Oh I think I'll manage," Ron replied. "Especially if R.J.'s girlfriend sends along more of that fudge anytime soon."

"Funny how that stomach-ache came and went," Josh remarked dryly.

"It still hurts," Ron wheezed.

"Is he getting crazier as you and I get older?" Jon asked his brother as he opened the door.

"SURPRISE!" everyone shouted startling Jon and Josh. Emma, who was a little late, waved enthusiastically at her father. "Eat!" she exclaimed running toward him.

"What's all this?" Jon asked, laughing as he scooped up his daughter.

"Eat Dada!" Emma squealed. "Git!"

"She certainly got that right eh Jon?" R.J. asked grinning at his niece.

Jon looked innocently at the group of friends and family. "I swear I didn't teach her that, Al. Al? Where's my..."

"Hi Jon," Allison smiled at him. "Happy birthday love."

Jon beamed at his wife. "Al...You look beautiful!"

"Thank you," she gave him a kiss. "And Frankie taught her to say that."

"Sweet old Aunt Frack," Jon teased his sister-in-law.

"I didn't teach her to say it," Frankie said defensively. "She was there when I said it and she sort of repeated it."

"You look gorgeous too," Josh said, his eyes on his wife who was standing next to the pram holding their three children.

"Happy Birthday Josh," she said giving him a kiss. "Were you surprised?"

"Quite," he laughed. "You sneaky bunch. I ought to sue the lot of you. And my father gave the worst performance of the year on the driveway and now I know why."

"He said he was a master of stalling," Lizzy said laughing.

Josh snorted as Casey opened her little eyes. "There's my girl," he said, lifting her up. "How's Daddy's little baby?"

Lizzy looked adoringly at her husband and daughter.

"She's already got you wrapped around her little finger," she said softly.

"All three of them do," Josh kissed Casey's head.

"Looks like your sons are going to sleep through the party," Lizzy said with a laugh.

"Seems to be the habit so far," Josh said as Caroline came running over with Katie on her heels.

"Can we hold one of the babies?" Katie asked eagerly.

Lizzy shook her head. "I'm sorry, sweetheart, but the boys are still sleeping. And I think Casey wants to spend time with her Daddy."

"Please?" Katie begged. "We'll be really good."

"How about in a little bit," Josh suggested. "She's just woken up from her kip and sometimes she's a little cranky at first."

"Okay," Katie said with a frown.

"Happy Birthday Uncle Josh!" Caroline said hugging his leg since his hands were full.

"Thank you Caroline," Josh said with a grin. "You look gorgeous today as always. No hula skirt?"

Caroline shook her head. "Not today. I didn't want to wear one if Katie couldn't."

"Come on Caroline," Katie said tugging on her arm. "Let's go play on your swing..."

"Caroline!" Mia called out running toward them.

"Hi Mia!" Caroline said excitedly. "We're going to play on the swing! Want to play with us?"

"Sure," Mia said nodding. "Hi Katie!"

"Hello," Katie said icily.

"We have to take turns," Caroline said to her friends. "Cause there's only one swing."

"I should go first because I'm the oldest," Katie said smugly.

"Okay," Caroline said agreeably and Mia nodded. "Then Mia gets to go next, cause she's two months older than me. And I'll go last!"

"I bet you don't get to go to Hogwarts with me and Caroline," Katie said as they walked toward the swing set. "Because you're a Muggle."

"Uncle Will says I do magic things," Mia replied, unfazed. "He says I'm like him, and I'll get to be a Claw."

"A what?" Katie asked looking at her as if she'd lost her mind. She had promised her mother she'd be nice to Caroline's new cousin, but she wanted to make sure this girl knew who Caroline's best friend was.

"A claw," Mia replied.

Katie knew she was probably referring to Ravenclaw, but she wasn't about to help Mia out.

"Well Caroline and I are going to be Gryffindors like our mums," Katie said linking arms with Caroline.

"I hope I can get in the same house as you both," Mia said as she climbed up onto the slide.

Katie sat down on the swing and kicked off the ground.

"That would be really great," Caroline said climbing up the slide behind Mia. "Then we could all be together!"

"Really great," Katie muttered, rolling her eyes.

"Katherine Rose looks thrilled," Nick said as he handed his wife a soda. They were both keeping a close eye on Katie.

"She's jealous of Caroline having Mia as a friend," Julie said softly. "I don't know why. Caroline adores Katie."

"I think Katie wants to be her only friend," Nick suggested.

"Well that's ridiculous," Julie replied. "She's got to learn the world doesn't revolve around her."

"Greta told me that once when I was about Katie's age," Nick mused.

"And what did you say?" Julie smiled at him.

"I said the world should revolve around me and if it didn't, someone should do something about it," Nick said grinning back at her.

"Malfoy," Julie poked him hard in the shoulder.

"Don't look at me," he said cheekily. "You did marry me after all."

"Gamma Lu!" Emma called out toddling toward Luna.

Ron laughed. "I'm sorry, Luna. I just love it when she calls you that."

"I don't mind it," Luna scooped her up. "How's my little hula baby?"

Emma smiled and hugged her grandmother. "Git!"

Luna glared at her husband. "Did you teach her that Ronald?"

Ron shook his head. "I learned my lesson with Maddie, Luna. You know that."

"I'm afraid that's my fault," Frankie said sheepishly. "Em, sweetheart, Aunt Frack told you that was a bad word."

"Bad?" Emma asked thoughtfully.

"That's right," Frankie said. "Bad word."

"There's my niece!" R.J. said coming over to join them. "Who wants to go for a ride...?”

"Em!" Emma said reaching for him. "Em!"

"Hey baby girl," R.J. took his goddaughter and kissed her cheek.

He spun her around causing Emma to giggle.

"Ronald Junior you sure are good with her," Luna said grinning at her son.

"Yeah well..." R.J. turned red. "She's so cute. It's hard to not be good with her."

"That's because he thinks he has a way with the ladies," Drew teased her younger brother as she joined them.

"Just one," R.J. returned with a grin.

"And what's this I hear about your performance Dad?" Drew asked her father. "I think your acting needs a bit of work."

"I was desperate," Ron said defensively. "And I didn't know you lot had everything ready back here."

"It was close," Drew admitted. "But we pulled everything together. Isn't that right Emma?"

"Doo!" Emma clapped her hands together.

R.J. laughed. "So we have Gamma Lu and Aunt Doo."

"Don't forget about Uncle Frick and Aunt Frack over here," Will joked.

"Ease up on poor Em," Ethan said. "I remember when I was a kid, I couldn't say Chiaki's name. I kept calling her Kiki."

"I forgot about that," Drew laughed. "That was so cute. And you fancied her too."

"I didn't," Ethan said defensively.

"You so did," Julie said hitting her brother in the arm.

"Maybe just a little," Ethan muttered.

"I thought it was adorable," Chiaki reassured him.

"What can I say?" Ethan grinned at her. "I was an adorable kid."

"And modest," Hermione teased her son.

"He's completely adorable," Maddie wrapped her arms around him. "Still is..."

"This from the girl who's fancied him practically since birth," Jon teased his sister.

"I have good taste," Maddie grinned at her brother.

"Thanks for helping Allie plan all this," Jon told his sister. "Josh and I were so surprised."

"I'm glad," Maddie giggled as Ethan squeezed her side. "You guys are great and we wanted to have a party to show how much we love you both."

"Thanks Mad Dog," Jon said.

Ron grinned. "Happy Birthday, Jonathan. And I just have one question...."

"Acting lessons?" Jon said cheekily.

Ron glared at him. "No, smartarse. When do we eat?"

"Ask the hostess," Jon replied. "I'm the guest of honour!"

"Co-guest of honour," Josh said. "And I am the oldest."

"By three bloody minutes," Jon retorted.

"You know," Maddie said suddenly. "I'm starting to notice a pattern with Josh. Your life revolves around threes."

Josh looked at his sister with a raised eyebrow.

"You were born three minutes ahead of Jon," Maddie explained. "You are the oldest of three boys. You married the third girl you fancied. And you just had three babies..."

"I wonder what else Joshie here does in three's," Jon grinned wickedly. "Three poems perhaps?"

"As a matter of fact, I do," Josh said clearing his throat. "I think it's time I unveiled it. You ready to hear it?"

"Do we have a chance to make a run for it?" R.J. teased, tweaking Emma's nose.

"You'll like it R.J.," Josh said. "Okay...here goes. Happy Birthday to my dear brother and me. It isn't so very hard to see. This party is the best thanks to my sister Maddie. She did such a great job; I think we should thank her. That comes from me and my younger brother, the Wanker."

"W-A-N-K-E-R," Ron finished with a grin.

*** *** ***

It took a bit of convincing on Hermione's part, but she managed to persuade her cousin into staying in London for two weeks. She took off as much time as she could from work, and Saffron, Julie and Ethan also stuck around as much as possible to spend time with their aunt, who was still taking Robert's death quite hard.

That evening Harry had made dinner on the grill, and they'd invited Elinore over again to join them. Seamus had also managed to make it over and they were all currently enjoying a large family dinner together.

"This looks amazing Dad," Julie said as her father set another large tray of food down on the table.

"Thanks Jules," Harry grinned at his daughter. "We've got quite the crowd tonight- and this is without Ron being here."

"Just Maddie," Ethan joked. "And she's almost as bad as he is." he poked his girlfriend's side teasingly.

"I promise to take it easy," Maddie said with a laugh.

"No need," Hermione said. "Harry made enough for an army."

"Well in that case I can't wait," Maddie grinned at her as Elinore and Lavender came outside.

"Gran," Saffron called out. "Come sit by me. I saved you a seat."

"Thank you sweetheart," Elinore smiled at her granddaughter. The younger girl had been a rather strong shoulder for her that summer.

Saffron squeezed her grandmother's hand as Elinore sat down. "I'm so glad you came tonight Gran."

"I am too," Elinore replied. "It's lovely to be around family like this. It really helps a lot."

"We'll always be here for you Gran," Ethan said looking across the table at her. "You know that if you ever need anything, I'd be there in a second."

Tears filled Elinore's eyes but she blinked them back. "Thank you love." she smiled at her grandson.

"All right, I have chicken, burgers and some ribs here," Harry said. "And for you Lav... a special treat." he smiled at her as he produced a dish of sushi that he'd seen in the shops that afternoon.

"Ewww gross!" Saffron said turning her nose up at the dish. "Dad!"

"Harry!" Lavender said in surprise. "That's...that's lovely. Thank you!"

Harry caught his wife looking at him with her eyebrow raised and he shrugged. "Glad you like it Lav." he smiled at her. "I aim to please."

"Aunt Lav," Saffron said. "How on earth can you eat that?"

"Thank you Saffy," Seamus said smiling at the younger girl. "Finally, someone is on my side. Fish should be cooked."

"Hear, hear." Ethan agreed. "I had sushi in Okinawa and it was terrible."

Lavender wrinkled her nose. "Ethan, not even I would eat sushi from Okinawa. They make the WORST sushi there."

"I think I might have found something even I wouldn't eat," Maddie said eyeing the dish suspiciously. "I have serious doubts that my dad would eat that either."

"Guess you're on your own there love," Seamus smiled at his wife. "And don't expect me to kiss you until you brush your teeth repeatedly."

Elinore smiled. "I remember that right after we were married, Robert let me in on a little secret. He absolutely adored sardines. Would just eat them right out of the tin. I was so disgusted; I teased him about getting an annulment right then and there. He used to tell me..." Her voice trailed off as her eyes filled with tears yet again.

"What did he say?" Hermione asked with a soft smile, trying to encourage all positive memories.

"He...he used to tell me that I signed on with him for better or worse and that I should have read the fine print," Elinore continued with a slight laugh. "So like it or not, I was stuck with him and his idiosyncrasies."

"That's the joys of married life," Julie teased.

"I wish I'd known about that sardine thing," Lavender said softly. "He used to give me a hard time about my sushi."

"Better the sushi than giving me a hard time about my terrible golfing scores," Harry sat down next to his wife.

"He always wondered if perhaps you weren't letting him win," Elinore said to her son-in-law.

"Believe me, I wouldn't have only beaten him once in the twenty or so years we've been playing," Harry said with a grin, making Saffron laugh.

"He said that he let you have that one," Hermione said laughing. "Felt bad for always beating the trousers off of you."

"Face it Dad," Saffron said, helping herself to some chicken. "You're just a bad, bad golfer."

"Everyone has one thing they're really bad at," Harry said. "I guess golf is mine..."

"And chess," Ethan pointed out.

"And Scrabble," Hermione chimed in.

Harry glared at all of them. "All right so I'm not completely perfect." he said in an injured tone. "But I make a damn good supper."

"You do," Ashley said smiling at her grandfather. "Almost as good as Malfoy Pizza."

Harry laughed. "I don't think anything beats Malfoy Pizza."

"It's too bad we never got the chance to make it for Grandpa Robert," Katie said quietly. "I bet he would have loved it!"

"I'm positive he would have girls," Elinore said. "It was right up his alley."

"Do you know what I keep remembering?" Hermione asked to no one in particular. "I remember when Julie was around four or so and she was already such a good reader. Dad asked if he could read to her and they sat up on his old favourite chair and he started to read and Julie...Julie thought he was going too slow and she grabbed the book and told him she could read it to him instead!"

Everyone laughed at that. "I'd forgotten about that," Julie admitted.

"I used to like going into his office," Ethan said with a grin.

"He had all sorts of cool gadgets," Saffron agreed. "And he gave me an old stethoscope one time and let me come in the exam room and 'help' him out."

"You looked so cute in your little lab coat," Hermione said smiling at her daughter. "Your grandfather always loved it when you three came to see him."

"Wish we still could," Saffron said wistfully.

"I've been meaning to clean out his things in the closet and his office at home," Elinore said quietly. "I just can't..."

"You're not giving Uncle Robert's things away are you Aunt Elinore?" Lavender asked in amazement. "You can't do that."

"Lav," Hermione said quietly.

"He hasn't even been gone a few months," Lavender argued. "I think it's a little early to be getting rid of his things..."

"Mum," Hermione gave her cousin a dirty look. "If you need help with any of that you know I'll be right there."

"I know," Elinore said weakly. "I don't know if I'll ever be ready. It's so hard to...to be in that house without him there. He's in every room. I never thought I'd miss him this much!"

"Oh Gran!" Saffron whispered as her own eyes filled with tears.

"I'm sorry," Elinore dabbed at her eyes with a napkin. "I told myself I wouldn't cry tonight and here I am a sobbing mess..."

"You don't have to apologise Mum," Hermione said softly. "We're all still hurting. We all miss him too."

"I think it's the worst in the mornings when I wake up," Elinore whispered. "I'm so used to him being there and he's not."

Hermione couldn't imagine what that was like. She squeezed her own husband's hand as she listened to her mother talk.

"I think you should come and stay with Seamus and me," Lavender said suddenly. "At least for a little while."

"Grandma, you're not leaving are you?" Ashley asked "You can't go!"

"Ash," Julie laid a hand on her daughter's arm. "That's not for you to decide."

"Gran's not going anywhere," Saffron said firmly. "Her home is here."

"Saffy," Hermione looked at her daughter. "If your Gran decides she wants to go visit your aunt in California that's up to her."

"Aunt Lav doesn't just want her to visit," Saffron said looking right at Lavender. "She wants her to move there. I heard her talking about it to Seamus earlier."

"Saffron," Harry said. "What have we told you about eavesdropping?"

"They weren't being quiet about it," Saffron said unashamedly.

"I think she should move in with us," Lavender said defensively. "I'm home a lot more than Hermione and Harry. And you'll be going back to school Saffy. And Seamus and I have a staff that can help look after her."

"But her home is here in London," Saffron argued.

"I appreciate what you're trying to do," Elinore interjected. "All of you. But, I'm not giving up my home. It's all that I have left of Robert."

"But Aunt Elinore--" Lavender began to object.

"Lavender," Elinore said gently. "I would love to come and visit you and Seamus, but I have no intention of moving. I can't. I won't."

"That's understandable Elinore," Seamus agreed. "We'd love to have you visit whenever you want for however long you want."

"Thank you Seamus," Elinore said. "Perhaps sometime in October would be nice. I want to be here for Hermione's birthday in September."

"How long will you stay?" Lavender asked, subdued.

"A couple of weeks perhaps," Elinore replied.

Lavender looked like she wanted to object and try to get her to stay longer but she kept her lips pressed together. "Just let me know when," she replied quietly.

"I will," Elinore said eager to move onto something that would get her mind off of Robert. "Julie, are you getting excited about starting your new job?"

"I really am," Julie smiled at her grandmother. "It'll be a real challenge working with older kids now, but it should be fun too."

"She'd been hunched over those books her Dad gave her all summer," Nick said with a laugh.

Julie gave her husband a look. "Better watch out Nicholas or you'll be my guinea pig for trying out all those defence spells."

"No thank you," Nick said shaking his head.

"You'd probably be a sight better than Dad," Saffron joked. "He's been teaching R.J. to drive."

"Have you really?" Nick chuckled. "How's that going?"

"He's doing quite well actually," Harry replied shooting a look at a giggling Saffron. "He has quite a bit to learn, but he's determined to get it."

"It's because he's so crazy about Lex," Saffron replied. "It's really actually quite sweet."

"Speaking of being crazy about someone," Elinore said smiling at her granddaughter. "I really enjoyed meeting your Sean the other night."

Saffron blushed as Ashley giggled at her. "He's really great."

"Sean and Saffron snogging in a tree," Ethan started to sing, but she threw a crisp at him. "Hey!"

"We aren't allowed to go anywhere on our own yet," Saffron said. "There's two people who won't let me date technically until I'm sixteen."

"Be happy my name isn't Neville and I'm not following you around Saffron Grace," Harry replied.

"Neville's Caroline's grandpa," Katie said. "He didn't like Caroline's Daddy because he and Caroline's mummy...."

Ashley rolled her eyes. "You are the nosiest person on the planet."

"Better than being the most stupidest," Katie retorted angrily.

"You're the stupid one," Ashley shot back. "Your grammar is atrocious for one thing and for another..."

"That is enough," Julie said sharply.

"She started it!" Ashley and Katie said at the same time.

"I don't care who started it," Julie replied in a calmer tone. "But if it doesn't stop, I know two little girls who will be grounded all weekend."

"Fine," Ashley said taking her plate and moving to sit on the other side of Saffron.

"I didn't want to sit beside you anyway," Katie said sticking her tongue out at her sister.

Nick shared a glance with his wife who rolled her eyes and shook her head.

Elinore smiled. "I know you two probably don't think this is possible, but one day I hope you'll be as close as your Grandma Hermione and Lavender. They didn't get along so well when they were growing up either."

"You didn't?" Ashley asked interestedly.

"No we didn't," Hermione admitted. "We weren't really close growing up. We were really different. I liked to read and go to museums in my spare time, while Lavender..."

"Liked pretty things," Lavender finished.

"Pretty, sparkly things," Hermione teased her.

"They used to have these horrible rows," Elinore said. "Which was made even worse because they shared a room. Lavender was always messy and Hermione liked to keep things neat and organised."

"Things haven't changed," Seamus said with a wink at Lavender.

"Very funny," Lavender said but she smiled.

"But you're so close now," Ashley commented.

"Things changed for all of us during that summer at Hillsdale," Hermione told her granddaughter. She could still remember a night like this all those years ago at her parents' house when Robert had sprung the summer holiday news on them.

***

"Hermione," Robert said. "Could you close your book? There's something I wanted to run past you girls."

Hermione didn't really want to close her book now when it was getting to the best part, but she relented when she saw the stern look on her father's face.

"Are we going to the Caribbean?" Lavender asked. "I've always wanted to go!"

Hermione rolled her eyes. "Then go," she replied.

"Where did you want to spend your hols?" Lavender asked sarcastically. "A library?"

"At least there I'd learn something," Hermione snorted.

"You're never going to find a decent bloke in some crummy, smelly library," Lavender shot back.

"That's where Mum met Dad," Hermione said smiling at her parents. "And I think he's a decent bloke."

Robert laughed. "Thank you dear."

"Don't you want the boy you date to be able to carry on a conversation?" Hermione asked her cousin. "To be able to talk about current events? World culture?"

"Who cares as long as he's cute?" Lavender asked, blowing on her wet nails.

Hermione rolled her eyes again. "You're impossible!"

"Girls," Robert said before Lavender could respond. "I have good news I wanted to share with you all. This is the last summer hols before Hermione goes off to University and Lavender starts looking for a job. I thought it would be nice to have a family holiday just the four of us..."

"What sort of holiday?" Hermione asked her father. "Like going to Athens or Rome?"

"A former associate of mine owns a resort that's not too far from here," Robert explained. "I met him when I was still running the dental practise with Ellie. I haven't heard from him in years, but he's written and asked if we'd like to take a long holiday."

"How long?" Lavender asked. "And where is it? What's it called? Is it on the beach?"

"It's not on the beach," Robert replied handing his niece a brochure that Vernon Dursley sent with the letter. "It's on a lake though."

"Hillsdale?" Lavender asked looking at the brochure. To her delight there was a very attractive lifeguard pictured inside. "This doesn't look that bad actually, Uncle Robert."

"You only like the blond on the front," Hermione rolled her eyes. "Do I have to go Dad? I really want to spend summer hols preparing for my first year at University. I have a lot of reading to do."

Lavender laughed. "You are some sort of defect Hermione. You're like a sixty-year old woman in a young girl's body. Don't you want to have fun? Don't you want to meet someone and fall in love?"

"Like that's going to happen there," Hermione scoffed.

"It probably won't if you sit there with your nose in a book," Lavender said frowning at her. "You wouldn't know how to have a good time if it came up and smacked you in the face."

"And you don't know how to be serious if a book fell from the sky on your head," Hermione retorted.

"I don't want to be serious," Lavender said airily. "Serious is boring."

"You don't have to go," Robert told Hermione. "But I'd really like it if you would. You're going to have a busy four years ahead of you at University and I'd love to spend some quality time with you before you go."

"How long is it for?" Hermione asked, knowing she was rarely able to say no when her father wanted her to go somewhere with the family.

"Two months," Robert replied.

"Two months?" Hermione asked. "Dad! That's way too long!"

"Merlin forbid you stay away from the library that long," Lavender said snidely.

Hermione exhaled. "Dad, I think it would be hazardous to Lavender's health if I did go because I honestly can't bear the thought of sharing a room with her for two solid months. It's bad enough I have to do it here."

"If I meet anyone like this I won't even be around," Lavender said with a coy grin.

"So you plan on sneaking out of our room every night to go snog some air headed blonde lifeguard?" Hermione asked. "I'm sure that's exactly what Dad had in mind when he thought of this holiday Lav."

"Look girls," Robert said, clearly losing patience. "I would very much appreciate it if you two could put your differences aside. Hermione, like I said, you don't HAVE to go, but I would love it if you did. You can bring along your books and spend the holiday reading by the lake."

"That'll have the boys running to her side," Lavender muttered under her breath.

"I think it sounds like a lovely idea," Elinore said to her husband. "Count me in."

"I kind of figured you were a given," Robert teased his wife.

Elinore laughed.

"Count me in," Lavender chimed in. "I'm going to need to go shopping for new swimming costumes and new outfits. Your associate is a Muggle, right? We'll have to keep what Hermione and I are a secret, right?"

"Yes," Robert nodded. "I used to deal with him when he worked in a drill factory and I was a dentist."

"I still haven't agreed to go," Hermione reminded her cousin. "Two months. I don't want to go into my first day of classes behind."

"How will you be behind in your FIRST day of classes?" Lavender asked exasperatedly.

"You wouldn't understand," Hermione said getting to her feet and grabbing her book from the table. "I'll think about it, Dad."

"Please do Hermione," Robert said. "I really think this will be a nice holiday for all of us."

A little later that evening, Hermione was sitting on her twin bed still reading when Lavender came into the room.

"You should really think about going," she commented as she cleared off the dirty clothes on her bed. "Uncle Robert would be really disappointed if you didn't."

"Don't try and guilt me Lavender," Hermione said, not taking her eyes off her book.

"I'm not trying to guilt you," Lavender said defensively. She handed her cousin the Hillsdale brochure. "It looks like a nice place."

Hermione didn't respond.

"Humour me," Lavender said plopping down beside her cousin causing Hermione to glare up at her from the book. "Look at it. They have a nice lake and there's something in there about dance lessons..."

"I'm not into dancing," Hermione replied. "And I don't care about any lake."

"What are you into exactly?" Lavender asked trying to get comfortable on her cousin's bed, but Hermione wasn't budging.

"Reading," Hermione snapped. "And studying."

"What about meeting a nice boy?" Lavender said picking up the untouched brochure and waving it in her cousin's face. "For all you know, the love of your life could be waiting here for you! He could be as dull and boring as you and you'll live boringly ever after..."

"Oh that really makes it sound convincing," Hermione said sarcastically. "Look, I know you're into boys, clothes, makeup and all that other junk. But I'm not. I'm perfectly happy going through my schooling and pursuing a future before I worry about settling down with anyone okay?"

"Fine," Lavender said standing up. "You don't want to meet boys, that's your hang up. But you really should do this for Uncle Robert and Aunt Elinore. They want to spend this summer with us. And if you're too selfish to take time out for your own parents, well...you're not the person everyone thinks you are."

Hermione made a frustrated sound. "FINE!" she said. "I'll go. Satisfied?"

"Completely," Lavender grinned. "I'll go tell Uncle Robert!"

Hermione fell back against her pillows. "Great," she muttered.

"You know," Lavender said from the doorway. "You might end up thanking me for this. This could be the summer that could change everything."

"Oh I'm sure it will," Hermione agreed sarcastically.

***

Harry listened to his wife's story and couldn't help but shake his head. All this time he thought he'd owed Hermione's coming along to Hillsdale to Robert, but come to find out, Lavender had a great deal to do with it as well.

"That's right," Lavender said gleefully. "You'd have never met each other had it not been for little old me."

"None of us would be sitting here right now," Julie shook her head.

"Harry and I would have probably met eventually," Hermione said defensively.

"Yeah right," Seamus said. "Your husband didn't exactly frequent libraries and museums Hermione."

"More like dance clubs," Lavender snorted.

"And pubs," Seamus said. "He, Ron, Dean and Neville and I..."

"My children, grandchildren and mother-in-law are here," Harry reminded his friend. "Please do not continue."

"Right," Seamus said. "Innocent ears are listening."

"I want to hear more about this," Saffron said leaning forward.

"I bet you do," Harry said. "But I don't think so."

"Come on Dad!" Saffron whined. "Spill your guts. Tell us about your sordid past!"

"Go read a history book," Harry returned.

"Like Isabella Marconi's book?" Saffron asked.

"That's fiction," Hermione cut in hastily.

"I might have taken a peek at it when I was in Flourish & Blotts," Saffron admitted.

"I'll burn it if you ever buy it," Harry said.

"I could only make myself look at a few pages," Saffron reassured him. "It was basically page after page of her going on and on about herself and these fashion shoots and then she talked about...you know..."

"The fiction," Harry replied. "Who wants dessert?" he changed the subject. "I have pumpkin pie and ice cream."

"I do," Lavender replied sweetly. "And I should get extra ice cream since I was the one who brought you and Hermione together."

"Are you sure you want it?" Harry teased her. "It's fatty, chocolaty and completely not diet safe."

"It's okay to splurge every now and then," Lavender said dismissively. "You hate this, don't you? Being indebted to me?"

"Don't tell anyone," Harry said as she helped him clear the table. "But I'm eternally grateful."

"It'll be our little secret," she said smiling at him. "And if it hadn't been for you, we'd never have had Julie, Ethan and Saffron. So, I am eternally grateful to you too."

"We can never tell anyone that we really do get along," Harry said once they were in the kitchen and the dishes were washing themselves in the sink. "It'd ruin our reputation as squabblers forever."

"We still have our moments," Lavender said.

"What would we do without them?" Harry asked dramatically.

"I don't know," Lavender said laughing. She turned serious though. "I'm worried about Aunt Elinore, Harry. Do you really think she's okay?"

Harry gazed at his family outside. "I'm not sure," he said. "I think life is getting a little easier day by day for her, but she's nowhere near where she was. I don't think she'll ever be the way she was again."

Lavender nodded. "I always thought they'd both be here, you know? That they'd always be here for me."

Harry nodded. "When Robert had his first heart attack I didn't think at first that he'd make it. But then he did... and I guess I got a bit spoiled by that. I thought the same thing you did."

"We all did," Lavender said. "It's been so hard Harry. I just wish I could do more for my aunt."

"She knows you care," Harry reassured her. "We all wish we could do more."

"Thanks," Lavender said hugging him. "You're not so bad when you want to be."

"Funny," Harry teased. "I was thinking the same about you."

*** *** ***

71. Chapter 71

A/N: Thank you all SO much for your reviews- we’ve answered them all, so be sure and check them out! In this chapter we have a lot of Saffron- and some RJ/Alexa drama. As always, we hope you enjoy it and please let us know what you think!

And at the end- we have the new story title and summary up for you guys to see. We will be posting it on Thursday nights!

Saffron wondered where the time had gone. It seemed like just yesterday she and her family were leaving for Brighton. Now, she was three days away from starting back at Hogwarts. While she was looking forward to seeing Alexa and her other friends again, she would miss Sean.

Her mother had taken her into Diagon Alley for school supplies today and when they'd returned, Hermione had given the okay for Saffron to invite Sean over. At the moment, she and Sean were walking through the gardens.

"So are you excited about being back in school?" he asked, breaking into her thoughts.

Saffron nodded. "I'm ready to see Lex. She's not getting back from her hols with her parents until the day before we leave."

"She's a really nice girl," Sean said. "And R.J.'s a decent bloke. He really cares about her."

"He does," Saffron said. "And they seem to think you're pretty decent too."

Sean smiled at her. "What do you think?" he asked, weaving their fingers together.

Saffron pretended to think this over. "You're okay, I suppose."

"Okay?" he asked, tickling her.

"Better than okay," she said giggling. "Stop!"

"That's more like it," he grinned.

"So," she said looking sideways at him. "What about you? Are you ready to go back to school?"

"I guess so," Sean replied as they resumed walking. "I wish I went to school with you guys though."

"So you could be closer to your cousin?" Saffron asked teasingly.

"You read my mind," Sean said sarcastically. "Because I don't see enough of her only twice a year."

"I can't believe the two of you are related," Saffron said thoughtfully. "I mean you're wonderful and she's just...not."

"I'm wonderful?" Sean asked, nudging her.

"I think so," Saffron said nudging him back.

He pulled his hand from hers and slipped his arm around her shoulders. "That feeling is completely mutual," he said in her ear.

Saffron grinned. "I'm so glad we met this summer, Sean."

"I am too," Sean said as they sat down together on a bench. "I didn't expect to find myself a girl, especially one as cool as you Saffron."

"I feel the same way about you," she said still holding on to his hand.

Sean stroked her cheek for a moment before leaning in to kiss her.

Saffron's arms wrapped around his neck as she deepened the kiss. This was something she would definitely miss.

Her hair was soft as he ran his fingers through the curls repeatedly; she moved over so she was practically sitting on his lap as their kiss grew quite heated.

"Sean," Saffron breathed.

"You're incredible," he murmured, his lips brushing against hers again.

"You are too," she said softly.

They spent the next half hour or so in breathless silence, just kissing. "I'm really going to miss you during the school term," Sean said once they'd pulled apart.

Saffron felt the same way and wondered if perhaps was the time to talk about what they'd both avoided for quite some time.

"I wonder," Sean began thoughtfully. "How we... how we can continue this while we're so far apart..."

"I know," Saffron said quietly.

"I like you," Sean said. "A lot. That won't change."

Saffron knew what was coming. "But who's to say we won't meet someone while we're away at school?"

Sean was quiet a moment. "Yeah," he finally said. "I guess you're right."

"But we can still see each other at holidays," Saffron continued. "And just see how things go."

"How about..." Sean thought for a minute. "What if... we sort of broke up... and next summer holidays, if we are both still single..."

"We get back together," Saffron finished. "If the feelings are still there, of course."

Sean smiled at her. "We can still write each other right? And maybe see each other at Christmas?"

"Of course," Saffron said grinning back at him. "And I expect a great present, Mr Grant. You have a few months to prepare."

Sean laughed. "That goes double for you, Ms. Potter. Something very cool and magical."

"Like me," Saffron said with a laugh.

"Exactly," Sean grinned. "I'm really glad I met you. For a summer girlfriend, I had a really good time with you."

"Well you were my first boyfriend," Saffron said. "And I couldn't have asked for a better one."

"I was your first boyfriend?" Sean asked. "Really?"

Saffron blushed. "Not my first kiss, but my first boyfriend, yes."

"I can live with that," Sean teased.

Saffron heard her mother calling out for her. It was probably time to head over to her grandmother's. She was going to spend some time with her before she left. "I should probably get back," Saffron said.

"Okay," Sean said, leaning in. "One goodbye kiss until next summer, hopefully."

"Hopefully," Saffron said kissing him one last time and making it count.

"You sure like to go out with a bang," Sean said several minutes later when they broke apart.

"I wanted to give you something to remember me by," she said with a wink.

"That might just tide me over," he joked. "Guess I'll have to get used to this owling thing. I don't want us to lose touch."

"Me either," Saffron agreed.

"Saffy!" Hermione called out. "Come on sweetheart!"

"I'll be right there Mum!" Saffron called back.

"I guess this is goodbye for now," Sean said. "I'll miss you Saf."

"Goodbye," Saffron said hugging him tightly. "I'll miss you too Sean."

"I'll see you over Christmas hols," Sean said, touching her curls. "Say bye to R.J. and Alexa for me will you?"

"If they come up for air I will," Saffron joked.

"Right," Sean teased as Saffron led him inside. Her mother had hooked up the Floo Network temporarily to Sean's house and she threw a pinch of the powder into the fireplace for him.

"Remember how I told you to get home?" she asked.

"State my address loudly and clearly," Sean said nodding.

"Right," Saffron smiled.

Sean stepped inside the fireplace and did as she'd instructed before. Within a matter of moments, he was gone.

"Saffy," Hermione said coming into the sitting room with her bag. "Are you ready to go love?"

"Yeah," Saffron's eyes were still on the fireplace.

Hermione watched her daughter. "Saffy...?"

"What?" Saffron turned and looked at her mother.

"Are you alright?" Hermione asked. "I know it couldn't have been easy to say goodbye to Sean."

"We broke up," Saffron said softly. "I mean, we agreed to stay friends, and if we're both not seeing anyone next summer and we still like each other, we'll get back together. But I'm really going to miss him." Unexpected tears welled up in her eyes.

Hermione crossed the room and embraced her daughter. "I'm sorry sweetheart."

"I'll be okay," Saffron said. "I guess... I never really felt like that about a bloke before. I never knew breaking up with someone could be hard."

"I wish I could tell you it gets easier as you get older, but I'd be lying," Hermione said smoothing her daughter's hair back.

Saffron smiled. "I wish it was easy like it was for you and dad. You both knew you wanted each other the first time you met."

"It wasn't easy for me and your father," Hermione said putting an arm around her. "We went through quite a bit before we were finally together."

"Yeah I know, but it's so romantic, like fate and all that." Saffron said.

"You'll have that one day too," Hermione said. "Someone who will sweep you off your feet and make you feel all those butterflies."

"Right," Saffron said, feeling better already. "After all, I'm only fifteen. I have loads of time for romance. While I'm not playing Quidditch, doing Prefect duties, and studying that is."

"And becoming the second Potter daughter to become Head Girl?" Hermione asked. "Of course that's not until a couple years from now, right?"

"Right," Saffron said. "But I fully intend on being Head Girl. I'll do whatever it takes to make it."

"Either way your father and I are so proud of you," Hermione said hugging her daughter again.

"Thanks Mum," Saffron said. "I want to make you both proud, always."

Hermione smiled at her. "We'd better head on out to your grandmother's."

"I can't wait to see her," Saffron collected her bag and they left. "I'm really going to miss her too while I'm at school."

"She's always loved when you wrote to her," Hermione said. "It would mean a great deal to her if you kept doing that."

"I'll write to her all the time," Saffron vowed.

"And I'm so glad you'll have Julie there this year too," Hermione said. "Your sister is so excited about her new job."

"I'm so glad I'll get to see her every day." Saffron said. "Now I'll just miss seeing Ethan, you and Dad."

"You're actually going to miss Ethan?" Hermione asked in mock surprise.

"I know, I know," Saffron giggled. "Maybe I'll miss Maddie a little more..."

"I promise I won't tell anyone," Hermione said laughing.

"Thanks Mum," Saffron said, leaning against her.

"You're my sweet girl Saffy," Hermione said. "You've helped me so much this summer."

"I'm glad I could help," Saffron said. "You're the best Mum."

"I'm going to miss having you around," Hermione said.

"Well I'll be back for Christmas before you know it," Saffron grinned. "And then Easter hols and it'll be summer again."

"Right," Hermione said grinning back at her.

"And you and Dad will have the house to yourselves again," Saffron rolled her eyes. "We all know how much Dad loves that."

"He misses you so much when you're gone," Hermione said.

"When you two aren't busy that is," Saffron said dryly with a giggle.

"Okay, moving on," Hermione said shaking her head.

"I'll write home at least once a week, if not more," Saffron promised.

"And you let us know how your tryouts go," Hermione told her.

"Oh definitely," Saffron said. "I'll let you know when I make the team."

Hermione smiled. "And your dad and I will come to your first match. Though I must say, I'm not looking forward to watching my baby flying so high in the sky."

"Mum," Saffron said. "I'll be fine!"

"I know," Hermione said. "I just can't help it. My stomach will be in knots the whole time."

"And afterwards you'll be even more proud than you already are," Saffron laughed.

"But I'll be happier when your feet are firmly back on the ground," Hermione said.

"If you say so," Saffron replied. "Maybe you can even bring Gran."

"Now that's a great idea," Hermione said with a wide grin. "She'd love that. She's always loved to watch you fly."

"Great," Saffron said. "I'll write her a letter when I make the team and you can make sure she gets it."

"I will," Hermione said. She was glad to spend these last few days with her daughter. Last year, she hadn't been able to accompany Saffron and Harry to Diagon Alley and the year before that, Saffron had gone with R.J. and his parents. Losing her father had put everything into perspective for Hermione. She wanted to make sure that she spent as much time with her family. Being Minister was important and Hermione was proud of what she'd accomplished over the years in the position, but it all paled in comparison to how she felt about her family. She and Harry had raised three healthy, happy, well-rounded children. And that above all else, was what she was most proud of.

*** *** ***

Saffron motioned for her friends to follow her as she found an empty compartment on the train. "I have to go up front for the Prefect's meeting but I'll come back soon as I'm finished," she said, putting her bag on the bench. "I can't believe school is already starting up again!"

"Take a breath Saffy," Alexa said giggling. "You've been on go since we arrived at the station."

"I'm excited," Saffron said defensively.

"The Perfect Prefect," R.J. teased. "Don't worry. I actually need to catch up with Andrew and let him know about tryouts."

"Don't forget to tell me too," Saffron replied. "I fully intend on making the team."

"Yes we know," R.J. rolled his eyes. "You've only been talking about it all bloody summer long."

"Sod off you," Saffron said. "Lex, are you going to be okay by yourself? I hate that we're both leaving you..."

"I'll hold down the fort," Alexa joked. "And I have my book to read. So you two go and just hurry back okay?"

"Will do," Saffron promised. "Come on R.J...."

"After you," R.J. held the door open. He gave Alexa a quick kiss. "I'll be back really soon I promise."

Alexa laughed and pushed him out of the compartment. She pulled her book out of her bag and settled down in her seat.

Christina Grant was looking for a compartment as well and she nearly collided with R.J. and Saffron as they both practically sprinted toward the back of the train. Neither of them noticed her which only infuriated her even more.

Alexa was already deeply immersed on her novel when the compartment door slid open. "Back so soon?" she asked looking up with a smile, only to frown immediately as she saw who it was.

"Hi Alexandra," Christina said warmly closing the compartment door. "How are you?"

"My name isn't Alexandra," she said coolly.

"Right," Christina said sitting down across from her. "I hope you don't mind me barging in here like this, but I think you and I have something in common."

"I hardly think so," Alexa skipped her eyes back down to her book and tried to ignore the older girl.

"We both fell for R.J. Weasley," Christina said leaning forward and pulling a sympathetic face. "And then had our hearts broken. I must say you're taking this quite well, Alexa."

"I don't know what you're talking about," Alexa would not fall into Christina's trap

"Saffron's quite pretty," Christina said with a frown. "I know it can't be easy for you."

Alexa rolled her eyes and didn't respond.

"You were his consolation prize," Christina continued. "He couldn't have what he really wanted so he settled for you."

"I don't know what you're talking about," Alexa said, annoyed. "But I'd appreciate it if you'd stay out of my business."

"I just don't want you to make the same mistake I did," Christina said moving over to sit down beside Alexa.

"With R.J., I don't think anything I could do is a mistake," Alexa said evenly. "He loves me."

Christina forced some tears to come to her eyes wanting to make this as convincing as she could.

"I thought he really cared about me too," she sniffed. "He has this way of making you feel like the most special girl in the whole world. That's why I didn't have any doubts when we..."

Alexa sighed. "When you what?" she asked.

"When we...you know," Christina replied as a tear fell down her cheek. "It was really quite romantic really. He came over to my house during the Christmas hols. There was no one home and one thing kind of led to another..."

"Please," Alexa rolled her eyes. "I'd appreciate it if you stopped trying to get between R.J. and me. He doesn't want to be with you anymore so get over it."

Christina bit back her retort. This girl had some nerve, she thought bitterly.

"I have gotten over it Alexa," Christina said instead. "I just don't want you to get hurt."

"You've never cared about me before," Alexa replied. "You didn't even remember my name when you walked in here."

"I admit I haven't been the friendliest to you," Christina said thoughtfully. "But it's hard to see the boy you gave your virginity to move on to someone else."

For a moment Alexa wasn't sure she'd heard right. "What?" she finally asked.

Christina wanted to pump her fist in triumph. She had the poor girl on the hook. All she had to do now was reel her in.

"R.J. and I were...well...we..." Christina said her voice breaking.

"I don't believe you," Alexa said bluntly.

"Ask R.J.," Christina said wiping a tear from her cheek.

Alexa turned away. "I really want you to leave," she said, trying to keep her voice from shaking.

"Okay," Christina said nodding. "Just remember, if you need someone to talk to, I'm here. I've been in your shoes."

Alexa didn't answer as the older girl slid out of the compartment, shutting the door purposefully behind her.

Nearly fifteen minutes later, R.J. came back into the compartment carrying a few sweets he'd nicked from the cart. "That woman who runs the cart never can resist me," he said smiling at Alexa. "I got you some Bertie Bott's."

Alexa jumped. "Oh," she said softly. "Thanks."

R.J. laughed. "Didn't mean to startle you. You looked lost in though there Lexie. Everything okay?"

"Fine," Alexa replied quickly.

R.J. sat down beside her. "Saf's not finished with her meeting yet. I'm sure she'll be in soon enough though."

"Okay," Alexa said. "I'm just reading my book..." she buried her nose back in her tome.

R.J. looked at her strangely. "You want to waste our time alone reading a book?" he asked teasingly.

"It's a good one," Alexa said, hating that she was reverting to her old shyness and hating it even more that she was letting Christina Grant come between her and R.J..

He leaned over. "Lex, you're on page two."

"I've read it before," she covered.

"Come on," he said pulling the book out of her hands. "We probably won't have that much time alone, Lexie. Saffy will be back soon and then we'll be back at Hogwarts before you know it. We'll have the feast and then we have to get settled back into our rooms. I haven't seen you in two weeks. Come on..."

He was looking at her so earnestly that Alexa couldn't resist. She leaned in and pressed her lips to his, trying to force herself to forget the horrid girl's words.

R.J. pulled her closer glad that she had let down whatever wall she'd put up between them. "That's my girl," he whispered in between kisses.

"I love being your girl," she said softly.

"So I'm better than some old book eh?" he asked resting his forehead on hers.

"Oh yes," she said, her eyes closed.

"Well you are better than sitting in a compartment with Andrew, Chris and Jason talking about Quidditch," he said with a grin. "They certainly had a go at me for leaving to come snog my girlfriend."

"I'm glad," she said as he stroked her cheek.

"And they promised to be cover for us if you wanted to sneak into my room again," R.J. said before kissing her again.

"You told them about that?" Alexa gasped, pulling away.

"Well, they've done it before too," R.J. explained.

"But I thought we weren't going to say anything about that, so we don't get caught." Alexa replied.

R.J. tried to take her hand, but she pulled away from him. "Lex, they're my mates. They won't say anything. You told Saffy about it. It's not like I plan on walking up to McGonagall and telling her."

"I know but... the less people that know the better." Alexa replied, turning to look out the window and wishing Saffron would come back.

R.J. put a hand on her shoulder. "I'm sorry, Lexie. Hey, it's not like you'll get in trouble. Your best friend is a prefect."

"I guess," Alexa said, feelings tears start to gather in her eyes. No matter what she did she couldn't stop thinking of what Christina had told her about sleeping with R.J..

"Will you talk to ..." R.J. started to say, but the compartment door swung open and Saffron came inside.

"You two aren't snogging?" she asked teasingly. "I expected the glass to be all fogged up by now."

"I need to use the loo," Alexa said, brushing past her best friend and practically running down the corridor.

Saffron folded her arms and looked at R.J.. "What did you do?"

"Nothing!" R.J. held up his hands. "I swear Saffy- I came back from talking to the guys about Quidditch and she's all upset about something. I didn't do anything!"

"She was perfectly fine on the platform," Saffron said. "Did something happen when she was on her own?"

R.J. shook his head. "No one's been in here since I came back- and she didn't say anything to me about anyone coming in."

"When you and I were rushing to the back of the train we almost ran into Christina," Saffron said. "I swear, if that girl said one thing out of sorts to Alexa, I'll make her eat slugs."

"Damn it," R.J. swore. "I'll go talk to Lex."

"I'd better go," Saffron said. "If that bitch comes in here I'd better see her walking back out with permanent spots."

"She'll be lucky if that's all she leaves with," R.J. said. "Thanks Saffy."

"Sure," Saffron said. "I'll sort it out R.J. don't worry."

Saffron walked toward the back of the train wishing that she could run into Christina Grant along the way.

In the loo, Alexa was wiping her eyes wishing she could start this whole day over again.

"Lex?" a knock sounded softly on the door. "You in there?"

"Yes," Alexa said weakly. "It's open."

"Hey," Saffron poked her head inside. "Can I join you?"

Alexa nodded. "I'm sorry for rushing out."

"Want to talk?" Saffron asked.

"I don't even know where to begin," she said quietly.

"Did Christina Grant say something to you?" Saffron guessed. "If she did, it's probably a big lie. She's so jealous of you Lex."

"She did," Alexa said wiping at her eyes. "She did say something and I'm not...I'm not so sure it was a lie."

"Tell me," Saffron said, handing her friend a tissue.

Alexa took it gratefully and dabbed at her eyes. She wasn't even sure she could bring herself to say it. "She said," Alexa started. "She said that she and R.J....that she and R.J. had..."

"Had..." Saffron didn't know what Alexa was going at.

"Slept together," Alexa finished. "They slept together, Saffy."

Saffron stared at her friend. "What?"

"This past Christmas," Alexa said weakly. "She said that he'd come over to her house and that one thing had led to another and they slept together."

"But... that's impossible." Saffron said. "R.J. wouldn't do something that stupid."

"You know what she looks like," Alexa sniffed. "Who would blame him if he did? They were going out at the time. It's not impossible, Saffy. No matter how much I wish it were."

"Do you... do you want me to ask him?" Saffron offered, feeling sick to her stomach.

Alexa shook her head. "I don't know what to do Saffy."

"I'll find out," Saffron said, standing back up. "He won't lie to me."

"I thought he wouldn't lie to me," Alexa said quietly. "This shouldn't make any difference, but he said that he never loved her, Saffy. I can't imagine doing something like that with someone you didn't love."

"I can't either," Saffron agreed softly. "Just wait here Lex. I'll go find out okay?"

Alexa nodded and watched helplessly as Saffron walked out of the loo.

Saffron took her time heading back to the compartment. Part of her couldn't believe that R.J. would have actually stooped so low as to have slept with that monster.

When the compartment door opened again, R.J. looked up hopefully. He was a little dismayed when he saw Saffron was alone.

"Did you talk to her?" R.J. asked. "Is she okay?"

"I need to ask you something," Saffron began uncertainly. "And you have to be honest with me R.J., because I'll know if you're lying."

"Okay," he said slowly. "What's going on?"

"At Christmas hols..." Saffron began. "Did you shag Christina?"

R.J. had expected to hear something about him telling his roommates about Alexa sneaking into their room. He certainly hadn't expected to hear this question.

"What?" he asked avoiding Saffron's gaze.

"Did you?" Saffron asked pointedly.

"I need to go and talk to Lexie," he said starting to get to his feet.

"No," Saffron said, blocking the door. "You need to tell me. She doesn't want to see you right now."

R.J. looked down at Saffron. "Yes, but it was..."

"You mean you did?" Saffron asked, a sinking feeling in her stomach.

"It just happened," R.J. tried to explain. "We were alone at her house Saffy. I...I really don't want to talk about this with you. I need to explain this to Lex."

"She doesn't want to see you," Saffron said firmly.

R.J. groaned in frustration. "It was a mistake, Saffy. It only happened once."

Saffron shook her head. "Let me go talk to her again." she said. "I'll try and get her to come back in here okay?"

R.J. nodded. "Saffy, I'm sorry."

"It's not me you have to apologise to," Saffron said. "You should have told her though R.J.. You should have told her right away."

R.J. knew she was right. He had thought about telling her so many times over the summer, but he'd chickened out. He just hoped he wasn't going to lose the best thing that had ever happened to him because of one stupid mistake.

"I'll try and reason with her," Saffron said. "I'll be back soon as I can."

Alexa was still sitting in the loo trying her best to keep it together. Two other girls had already come in and out of the loo and given her strange looks. They couldn't have been older than 11 she thought sadly as a small girl with black hair exited the loo just as Saffy came back inside.

"You talked to him?" she asked dreading the answer. One look at her friend's face and she had a feeling this wasn't going to be what she wanted to hear.

"He... he said it was a big mistake," Saffron began. "And that it was only once."

Her resolve crumbled again at this and she buried her head in her hands. Ben had been right all along.

"Lex," Saffron locked the door and hugged her friend. "I'm really trying to see this from both your points of view. I told him he should have said something and he agrees."

"This changes everything though," Alexa said sobbing.

"How?" Saffron asked gently. "He still loves you. He's still your boyfriend."

Alexa shook her head. "We're...we're too different. I don't know how I allowed myself to think this could work."

"That's silly," Saffron said. "How are you both different? Just because he's not a virgin and you are?"

"I'm not ready to do that," Alexa said quietly. "I've never...I would never do that with someone unless I loved them. But he did, Saffy! Do you really think he's just going to sit around and be happy with snogs in the common room when he could have so much more with girls like Christina?"

"If he wanted that, he'd have it," Saffron said, giving R.J. the benefit of the doubt. "I know he and I don't always get along... but I do know him well. I know that he goes for what he wants. And if he didn't want you, then he would never have said he loves you. And he wouldn't be sitting back in the compartment upset because you're in here crying right now."

Alexa let this sink in for a moment before she continued. "I don't know if I can get past this though. Saffy, I keep seeing him with her in my mind. And I just can't..."

There was a knock on the door and both girls turned.

"It's occupied," Saffron called out.

"It's me," R.J. said. "I want to see Alexa."

Alexa shook her head at Saffron.

"Not right now," Saffron said.

"Lexie," R.J. called out. "We need to talk. Just you and me. Let me explain."

"There's nothing to explain," Alexa said, wiping her nose on a tissue. "Just leave me alone right now R.J.."

R.J. leaned against the door. "Will you talk to me after the feast then?"

"I don't know," Alexa answered as Saffron put an arm around her.

Alexa rested her head on Saffron's shoulder.

"Just give her some time R.J.," Saffron called out. "Okay?"

The two girls could hear him sigh. "All right... for now." he walked away back to their compartment.

"Lex?" Saffron asked.

"I don't know," she said miserably. "I don't know about anything right now. Everything was fine before she came in the compartment and now I feel like my life is a wreck."

"I'd like to wring her bloody blonde neck," Saffron said. "She doesn't care about you. She just wanted to cause trouble. We should never have left you alone."

"She'd have come in there anyway," Alexa replied.

"Maybe," Saffron said. "But I still could have knocked her lights out."

"I wouldn't mind now if you did," Alexa joked weakly.

"How about we go and sit with Mimi and Beth?" Saffron suggested. "We can't stay here in the loo the whole time."

"Who's going to get our things?" Alexa asked.

"I'll do it," Saffron said. "Come on, Lexie."

"Okay," Alexa wiped her eyes again and hoped that R.J. wasn't lurking in the corridor anywhere.

Saffron led Alexa toward the front of the train and thankfully they didn't run into anyone save for a couple of first years along the way.

"Hey Mimi, hey Beth," Saffron pushed the compartment door open. "Mind if we join you?"

The other two girls looked up with wide eyes. "You're still friends?" Mimi blurted out.

Saffron looked at them quizzically. "Why wouldn't we be?"

"Well... because of you and R.J...." Beth began tentatively.

Saffron rolled her eyes thinking they were talking about the whole Christina debacle. "That girl doesn't waste anytime, does she? What'd she do pass out fliers when she left the compartment?"

"I don't know anything about Christina," Beth replied. "But um... there's this big rumour going around..."

"What about?" Alexa asked.

"About Saffy and R.J.," Mimi said, looking terrified that Saffron would erupt on them.

"What about me and R.J.?" Saffron asked folding her arms. "Meems..."

"Well... we just heard from some Hufflepuffs that R.J. dumped you," she looked uncomfortably at Alexa. "And that he and Saffron were dating secretly."

"WHAT?" Saffron exploded.

"I'm just the messenger!" Mimi ducked.

"Is it true?" Beth asked.

"No!" Saffron exclaimed. "Of course it's not true!"

"Well that's what everyone is saying," Mimi said sympathetically.

"It's NOT true," Saffron said emphatically. "I was seeing someone else all summer long!"

"Someone said that they saw the two of you in Diagon Alley," Beth said conversationally. "And that you were walking hand in hand and at one point you threw your arms around him and snogged him senseless."

"R.J. and I hung out ONCE in Diagon Alley," Saffron replied. "He was helping me take my mind off my grandfather's death!"

"It's the talk of the train," Mimi said. "They said that was why Lex was in the loo crying her eyes out."

"UGH!" Saffron uttered in frustration. "That's a completely different story!"

"I know Saffy would never do that to me," Alexa said loyally.

"So you're not in love with R.J.?" Mimi asked. "And he didn't dump Lex for you?"

"I told you R.J. Weasley wouldn't do something like that," Beth said smugly.

"You did not!" Mimi said indignantly. "You said you knew all along something like this would happen!"

"I beg your pardon?" Saffron crossed her arms and glared at the girl.

Beth's eyes grew large. "I just said that I thought it would be...well that I thought it would be..."

"Whatever," Saffron huffed, sitting down. "It's NOT true and as a friend I would think you'd give me a bit more credit than THAT!"

"I'm sorry Saffron," Beth said sincerely. "You're right."

"Damn straight I'm right," Saffron said. "I'm bloody going to find out who started this. I bet it was Christina. She seems to be starting plenty of other things today."

"We don't know that for sure," Alexa protested weakly.

"Come on Alexa," Saffron said. "You know that she was behind all this. She's still cross that she lost R.J. and she's bound and determined to make us pay for it."

Alexa only sighed. "Will you go get our things Saffy? Please?"

"Okay," Saffron said. "I'll be back in a bit. You going to be okay on your own?"

"We'll look out for her," Beth said putting an arm around Alexa.

Saffron only nodded before leaving the compartment.

R.J. was sitting in their old compartment staring listlessly out the window when Saffron came back.

"Hey," she said quietly. "It's just me."

"Hey," he returned. "So she really won't see me?"

Saffron snorted. "That's almost the least of our problems."

"I can't imagine things could get even worse," R.J. said.

"There's a rumour going around," Saffron said, gathering her friend’s things up. "That you dumped Alexa and that you and I are now dating secretly."

"What?" he asked incredulously. "You've got to be kidding me!"

"That was my reaction too," Saffron said dryly. "If that Christina was the one that started this she'd better pray she doesn't meet me alone at school at any point this year."

"I guess Alexa's heard this too?" R.J. asked.

"She doesn't believe it," Saffron said.

R.J. nodded. "At least I can be grateful for that. Saffy, I've cocked things up, haven't I?"

Saffron shook her head. "You should have told us about this R.J.. But it's not the end of the world. And Christina did it out of malice and that's why I'm not angry with you. I don't even think Alexa's angry at you- she's just hurt and upset."

"It was just one time," R.J. said. "If I could take it back, I would."

"I know," Saffron replied. "And I think deep down, Alexa knows too. I'll try and convince her to talk to you tonight okay?"

"Thanks Saffy," R.J. said giving her a hug. "I don't know what I'd so without...OH FOR MERLIN'S SAKE!"

"What?" Saffron asked.

"That!" R.J. said glaring at the crowd that had gathered around their compartment and witnessed their hug.

"Get the hell out of here!" Saffron shouted. "Or I'm docking points from all your houses!"

The group scurried away and R.J. put his head in his hands. "You know this isn't how I thought my last year at Hogwarts would begin."

Saffron shook her head. "Same here," she replied. "I'd better get out of here and do some damage control. I'm really sorry R.J.."

"Yeah me too," R.J. said sitting back down. "Me too."

The rest of the train ride was spent in silence for the three of them, Alexa would hardly say a word to anyone and Saffron took to telling off just about everyone who came into their compartment. By the time they arrived at school, Saffron was in such a foul mood she'd almost forgotten that her sister was already there as the new Defence professor.

Julie waved at Saffron from the staff table and could tell that her sister looked quite grumpy about something. She'd half expected to see Saffron dance into the Great Hall with happiness.

Saffron gave her a half hearted wave back then glared at a group of fourth years as they went by, whispering and pointing.

"RJ," Andrew said nudging his friend as he sat down. "You never told me you fancied Saffy, too!"

"Fancy her too?" RJ asked. "What are you talking about?"

Jason guffawed. "I just wonder how he keeps them all straight. Best friends, though. Way to go, mate! Mind if I give your ex a go since you’re not interested?"

R.J. grabbed the front of Jason’s shirt. "Just what was that?" he asked his eyes dark in anger.

"I was just saying if you aren't with Alexa anymore, perhaps I'd ask her out," Jason said hastily. "That's all."

"I am still with her," R.J. said coldly.

"R.J.," Julie said coming up behind them. "Everything okay?"

"Fine," R.J. said tightly. "Hi Jules," he said, his face relaxing a bit. "Er... Professor Malfoy, sorry."

Julie smiled. "It's going to take some getting used to for me too. You boys better sit down. The feast is about to begin."

"Right," R.J. glared at his so called friends one more time then looked down the table where Alexa and Saffron were sitting. Saffron was talking to another girl and Alexa had been staring in his direction. When he caught her gaze, she turned red and snapped her eyes to the front of the Great Hall.

Julie started walking back to the staff table and paused for a moment to say hello to her sister and Alexa. "Nice badge, Miss Potter," Julie said winking at Saffron.

"Thanks Jules," Saffron forced a smile on her face. "I've already had to take away points."

"And loved every minute of it, I'm sure," Julie said with a laugh.

"I guess," Saffron shrugged. "This really hasn't been the best first day of the year."

"I wish I had time to talk," Julie said apologetically. "But I should get back. I'll try and catch up after the feast, okay?"

Saffron nodded as she sat down next to her friend. "Okay Lex?" she asked, squeezing her friend's hand supportively.

"I wish I didn't have to be here," Alexa whispered back. "I just want to go upstairs and go to bed."

"It's okay," Saffron said. "We'll get through this and I'm going to make whoever started this pay." she glared over at Christina who was studiously ignoring the Gryffindor table.

Alexa nodded and tried to concentrate of the headmaster's welcoming speech. The first years were then led into the hall and to Alexa's dismay; the sorting seemed to go on for ages. Dumbledore stood up again to make another announcement about how this was going to be his last year as headmaster.

This was met with gasps of surprise and dismay from many, as well as whispers of speculation as to who the new Headmaster would be.

"And one last announcement," Dumbledore said. "We have a new Defence Against the Dark Arts professor this year. Please welcome Professor Julie Malfoy."

Saffron forgot momentarily about everything that had happened today as she clapped and whistled enthusiastically for her sister.

"Man she's hot," Jason whispered down the table.

"She's married you dolt," Saffron snorted. "And she's my sister."

"Married or not, she's still hot," Jason said letting out a wolf-whistle.

"Shut the hell up," R.J. glowered at him. "I'm going to pound you when we get back to the dorms."

For the first time that he'd been a student at Hogwarts, R.J. barely ate a thing. He only picked at his food and he kept stealing glimpses at Alexa. When the feast was over, R.J. decided to take his chances and he moved through the crowd toward his girlfriend.

"I have to go and make sure the first years know where to go," Saffron was saying apologetically to Alexa. "But I'll be back as soon as I can."

"I'll meet you in the dorm," Alexa said softly. "Thanks Saffy."

Saffron smiled and squeezed her hand before walking away.

"Hi," R.J. said softly touching Alexa's shoulder.

Nowhere to Run:

When Harry is framed for Arthur Weasley's murder, Hermione vows to stand by her friend no matter what- despite the fact that her boyfriend, Ron, believes Harry to be guilty.

Her loyalty could cause her to lose everything, but she only has one goal---protecting Harry. Secrets, lies and deception play a big part as Ginny Weasley sets into motion a plan that could change everyone's lives forever. H/Hr with R/LL and D/G

72. Ch 72

A/N: Thank you all again for all the reviews- we managed to answer them all and we’re definitely going to do our best to stick to answering them every week. We’re also so pleased that you guys seem to like the new story- that will be updated every Thursday night!

This chapter basically deals with the Hogwarts crew- in the next one you’ll see more of the adults again! As always, please enjoy and let us know what you think!!

Alexa gasped in surprise. "Hi," she whispered, going pale.

"We need to talk," R.J. said his hand still on her shoulder.

"I don't know R.J.," Alexa said, fighting back her tears again.

"Please Lexie," he said. "You've heard this from Christina's perspective, but you haven't gotten mine."

She knew she owed him that. "Okay," she agreed.

"I don't know where we can go," he said. "The common room's going to be mad."

"Perhaps we can find an open classroom on the way up," Alexa suggested, taking his hand for the benefit of the many eyes that were following them out.

R.J. felt bolstered by her gesture and he felt hopeful for the first time in hours.

Alexa trailed behind him as he moved them through the crowds to an empty classroom on the second floor. "All right," she said softly once he'd closed the door behind them.

R.J. honestly didn't know where to begin. "I should have told you," he finally said.

Alexa nodded. "Yes."

"I nearly did so many times this summer," he said looking right at her.

"How come you didn't then?" she asked, her voice shaking.

"I don't know," he said honestly. "Lex, you've always looked at me like you believed I could do anything. And I just couldn't stand the thought of you looking at me like you are right now."

Alexa shifted her gaze down to the stone floor as tears filled her eyes. "I just don't know what to think."

"Nothing has to change," he said tilting her chin up so she'd look at him. "I still love you and you still love me, right?"

"I haven't stopped since this morning," she replied.

He touched her cheek. "What happened with Chris and me, that's over Lexie. It has been for quite some time. There's only you."

"I know but you... you... did that with her," Alexa couldn't form the actual words in her mouth. "And you're not getting any of that from me. How can you possibly be satisfied with that now?"

"Do you think that's all I care about?" he asked her.

She shook her head wordlessly.

"I'm not going to lie to you," he said taking her hands in his. "I would love to do that with you, but you're not ready. I understand that. I'll wait until you are ready. The only thing I care about is being with you. That's all I want."

"Really?" she whispered.

"Yes," he said softly.

She could barely breathe as he leaned in and gave her a gentle, tentative kiss.

He broke away from her for a second to make sure that this was okay before he kissed her again.

Unable to resist, Alexa wound her arms around him, kissing him back as hard as she could. "I'm so sorry R.J.," she said, her tears flowing as she pulled away.

"What?" he asked confused. "What's wrong?"

"About everything," she sobbed.

"You didn't do anything wrong," he said softly hugging her to him. "This was all me."

"I shouldn't have listened to her," Alexa said, wiping her nose on the edge of her sleeve. "Saffy said that Christina's just trying to cause trouble."

"She is," he said brushing a strand of Alexa's hair off her forehead.

"I do love you," Alexa said. "So, so much."

"I love you too," he said kissing her again. "And I never want to hurt you like that again."

Alexa only nodded and buried her face in his shoulder.

He held her for a few moments happy to have her in his arms again. He wanted to ask her something though since they were being honest with each other.

"Lex?" he asked tentatively. "I want you to tell me something, okay?"

"Okay," she replied.

"We had such a good time in Brighton," he said. "And then when we came back and you started helping out at your mum's shop, things seemed to change. You were quiet and you seemed different. What was wrong?"

Alexa looked away. "Nothing changed R.J.. We just spent more time apart is all." she didn't want to tell him about Ben and the things he'd implied.

"That's not all," he said. "I know you. I know when you're holding back."

"R.J.," Alexa pulled away from him. "I was just working a lot okay? I got tired because I was up at the crack of dawn and I went to bed late."

"Now you're keeping something from me," he said quietly.

Alexa sat down at one of the tables. "All right," she said. "I just... Ben... he's really protective of me. We've been friends since we were babies... and he was just worried since you're older than me and all--"

R.J. folded his arms and tried to remain calm. "What did he say?"

"R.J. it doesn't matter," Alexa argued.

"It sure as hell does matter," he shot back. "He's been trying to come between us from the moment I met him. I have a right to know what he tried to tell you about me. And where does he get off saying anything to you about me? I've only met the wanker once!"

"It's not like that!" Alexa said. "He's just concerned is all. I told him he had no reason to be, and to stop bothering me and he did! So it doesn't matter okay?"

"It does matter," R.J. said. "Lex, he fancies you! How can you not see that!"

"What does it matter if he does?" she returned. "I don't want him, I want you!"

"We're not going to do this," he said firmly shaking his head. "I'm not going to do this."

"Do what?" Alexa asked, baffled.

"I'm not going to let Christina Grant or Ben What's His Name break you and me up," he said taking her hand and pulling her to her feet. "I'm going to say this and you can tell Ben or anyone else who cares..."

His face was inches from hers. "There will never be anyone like you for me," he said softly.

Alexa stared at him. "You mean that don't you?" she asked, her voice trembling.

He nodded before softly kissing her.

"R.J.," she whispered as he pressed his lips to her neck. "I don't want anything to break us up either."

"We're not going to keep secrets from each other anymore," he promised.

"Okay," she agreed. "And we're not going to let anyone or anything come between us."

"I'd like to see them try," he said with a grin.

"I can't wait to tell Saffy that we're okay," Alexa smoothed back his red hair. "And once everyone sees you and me together again, they'll have to realise that they can't get away with those ugly rumours."

"Speaking of Saffy," R.J. said with a laugh. "We'd better get back upstairs or she'll dock points or something."

Alexa laughed as she hugged him. "Just a few more moments in private?" she asked.

"We do have to make up for all that time we missed on the train," he said nuzzling her neck.

"Yes we do," Alexa nodded. "But a good, decent snog will have to wait until we're alone in the common room."

R.J. felt so happy he picked Alexa up and swung her around.

"R.J.!" she giggled as her foot hit the corner of the table.

"Are you happy?" he asked laughing as he put her back down.

"I am," Alexa nodded. "Very happy now."

"Good," he said giving her another kiss. "Come on. We'd better get going."

Alexa leaned against him as they left the room. "Let them try this on for size," she muttered, eyeing everyone who was still lingering in the corridors.

As luck would have it, Christina happened to be heading toward the Ravenclaw tower when she saw R.J. and Alexa walking toward her.

"You are so lucky Saffron isn't here," R.J. said before the blonde could even open her mouth. "I have half a mind to petrify you until Lex here can go get her." he glared at his ex girlfriend.

"Junior," Christina said briskly. "If you'll excuse me..."

"Don't you ever call me Junior again," R.J. said heatedly. "How dare you go up to my girlfriend and tell her about you and me? What is going on between me and Alexa is none of your bloody business."

"I was only trying to warn little Alexa here that you might do to her what you did to me," Christina said with false sincerity.

"You were just trying to cause trouble for us," Alexa said evenly.

"Believe what you will," Christina said dismissively. "But don't come crying to me when he breaks your heart. I was only trying to warn you."

Alexa rolled her eyes. "Come on R.J.," she took his hand. "Let's go all right?"

"Yes run along R.J.," Christina said bitterly. "I'm sure it's past Alexa's bedtime."

R.J. wanted nothing more than to hit the smirking girl in front of them but he didn't have to. From out of nowhere, a red burst of light hit her in the back and ugly red spots and tentacles began to grow out of her face.

"What the---?" R.J. asked as Christina covered her face and hunched over.

"You both did this to me!" she wailed.

"How did we do this to you?" R.J. asked. "Neither Lex nor I have our wands out."

"I don't know but you did!" Christina was still covering her face as she ran away.

"How did that happen?" Alexa asked, amazed.

"Guess," a voice came from down the corridor, and then R.J. and Alexa saw Saffron's bodiless head standing around the corner. "Told you she shouldn't meet me all alone."

"Saf!" Alexa said beaming at her.

"Your dad gave you that!" R.J. said in awe. "Man, Saf! I asked him to give it to me!"

"It stays in the family R.J.," Saffron shook her head and removed the invisibility cloak. "So I see you two are just fine and dandy now?"

"We are," Alexa smiled and hugged her friend. "You are the best, Saffy!"

Saffron grinned. "I'm really glad." she said. "Now I sort of know how you felt going between the two of us all summer at Brighton."

"It's not fun," Alexa said giggling.

"Now wait just a minute," R.J. said still hung up on the Invisibility Cloak. "My uncles gave your dad the Marauder's Map. Saffron...please tell me he didn't give you that too!"

"Okay I won't tell you," Saffron giggled.

"Did you know about this?" R.J. asked his girlfriend.

Alexa nodded. "Part of the perks of being best mates with her. We've gotten away with loads of things haven't we Saffy?"

"Too many to name," Saffron agreed. "Now you two had better get back to the common room before I have to dock points from my own house."

"You wouldn't dare," R.J. said grinning at her.

"Don't try me," Saffron said, returning his smile. "Oh but Lex. Guess who got completely gorgeous over the summer?"

"Who?" Alexa asked.

"Peter!" Saffron said as the three began to make their way towards Gryffindor Tower. "I saw him on my way back from showing the first years around."

"Gawky, Geeky Peter?" R.J. asked.

"He's not so gawky or geeky now," Saffron said with a grin. "He grew about four inches, lost the glasses, braces and ugly haircut. Now he's gorgeous."

"What about poor Sean?" R.J. asked.

"You remember," Alexa pointed out. "They both agreed that they'd see other people."

R.J. shrugged. "I forgot."

"Just during the school year," Saffron replied. "I mean, we're so far away from one another that it seemed silly to tie ourselves down. If he went here, then things would probably be different."

"Well up until a few minutes ago," R.J. said. "The whole school thought you were in lurrrrve with me."

"As if," Saffron rolled her eyes. "I have better taste than that."

"Hey!" Alexa said, thumping her friend on the shoulder.

"Well he's okay for you," Saffron said. "But he's no Peter."

"Or Sean," Alexa deadpanned.

"Would one of you girls kindly take the knife out of my back?" R.J. asked sarcastically.

"Sorry," Alexa smiled at him. "I'm so glad everything's okay now."

"Everything's perfect," R.J. said as they came upon the portrait of the Fat Lady.

"Come on," Saffron said, linking her arm with R.J.'s. "Let's go in together and add some fuel to the fire."

*** *** ***

The first few weeks of Julie's new job as Defence professor flew by. Her students, for the most part, were quick to learn and she enjoyed being able to use magic all the time again. She also loved being able to see her sister every day and would often have to report back to Harry and Hermione how Saffron was doing and how she was enjoying her fifth year.

That afternoon, she was teaching some of the fifth-year Gryffindor and Slytherin students some advanced disarming spells. The students had paired off into groups of four and Julie was walking around checking everyone's progress.

"I'm sorry Saffy!" Alexa apologised when she'd accidentally used the wrong spell causing her friend to slam into the back wall. This caused the Slytherin students to laugh uncontrollably.

"Enough," Julie said firmly, looking at the students. "Are you all right Saffy?"

Saffron nodded. "Fine."

"I really am sorry," Alexa apologised again. "I didn't mean to do that especially in front of them..."

"It's okay Lex," Saffron rubbed her shoulder. "I can handle it."

Mimi and Beth were looking at Julie as if they wanted to ask her something. Thinking it was about the spell the class was working on Julie looked expectantly at them.

"Professor Malfoy," Mimi asked. "I was just wondering..."

"Yes?" Julie asked with a smile.

"Is your husband as cute in person as he is in the magazines?" Mimi asked causing Beth to giggle.

Julie laughed. "I assure you he is."

"I have all 15 of his albums," Mimi said proudly.

"I thought we were having class?" a Slytherin girl named Meredith O'Connell said haughtily. "Not talking about some silly rock star."

"Don't you worry about it," Julie replied, turning to face the other girl. "Keep working on your spells."

"Witch Weekly said that he takes baths instead of showers," Mimi reported with a dreamy expression on her face. "Is that true?"

"I heard he wore boxer shorts instead of briefs," Beth chimed in causing both Alexa and Saffron to roll their eyes.

"Girls," Julie said with the same smile. "I promise after class, if you've got a free period, to answer some of your questions about my husband. But right now I really need you to work on your disarming spells all right?"

"Yes Professor," Mimi said before Julie walked off to check on the other students.

"You two are really too much," Saffron said to them. "That's my brother-in-law you're talking about you know."

"He's just so dreamy Saffron," Beth replied. "I don't know how you don't go completely mad when he's around. I know I would."

"How would we know the difference?" Saffron asked dusting herself off. "You're completely mad all the time Beth."

Beth stared at her, her jaw slack as Mimi and Alexa laughed.

"You kind of walked into that one Beth," Alexa said. "Come on...we'd better work on this."

"Just don't kill me this time Lex," Saffron teased.

"I promise to concentrate better," Alexa smiled at her.

Julie approached the group of Slytherin boys in the back of the room who were having trouble with the particular spell.

"You're not pronouncing it right," Julie tried to correct him.

"I don't need your help," the boy said icily.

"I'm afraid you do," Julie said coolly. "I'm your professor, whether or not you like it. And if you want to succeed in my class, you'll take my advice."

"Whatever," he said rolling his eyes.

"I assume your parents wouldn't like to receive a letter saying that you're failing," Julie replied, in her same calm tone. Years of working with and disciplining young children had given her an infinite amount of patience. "So I suggest you benefit from what I'm trying to teach you here."

"Too bad my great aunt couldn't take care of your dad like he did his godfather," the boy said coldly. Saffron fought the urge to throttle the boy who had given her trouble in the past. He was Philippe Lestrange and was as horrible and haughty a boy as you'd ever want to meet.

"Don't," Alexa said holding her friend back.

"He just insulted my father," Saffron said furiously.

"Twenty points from Slytherin," Julie said, folding her arms. "If you'd like to keep it up, I'm sure we could work out detention for a week as well. Now you can either do the task I've set for you, correctly, or we can take a trip to Professor Dumbledore's office to discuss things. Understood?"

"Fine," Philippe said bitterly.

"She's good," Alexa said admiringly.

Saffron grinned proudly. "She's awesome that way. With the way my two nieces fight all the time I'm surprised she hasn't snapped yet."

The rest of the class went by without incident and since Saffron, Alexa, Beth and Mimi all had a free period after that class, they decided to take Julie up on her offer.

"You were great," Saffron told her sister. "If it had been me, I'd have kicked his face in."

"I wanted to," Julie laughed. "Believe me; I'd have liked to wipe that smug little smirk right off."

"He's always been horrible to Saffy," Alexa said. "He's always trying to get her into trouble, but you handled him like a real pro, Ju--I mean Professor Malfoy."

"You can call me Julie outside of class Alexa," Julie said. "Same goes for you both. As long as we're all alone." she smiled at Mimi and Beth.

Mimi and Beth grinned broadly at her. "You are without a doubt the best professor we've ever had in Defence."

"Thanks girls," Julie said knowing that this might have more to do with who she was married to than their opinion on her teaching abilities.

"I have tryouts this afternoon," Saffron told her sister. "You're going to come watch right?"

"I'll be there," Julie promised. "But afterwards I have to skip right home. I have to take the girls shopping tonight for new robes. Can you believe they're outgrowing theirs already? And Katie won't wear ANYTHING that Ashley likes..."

"They fight like cats and dogs," Alexa said who had witnessed this first hand this past summer.

"They're polar opposites," Saffron said. "I've never seen two people fight so much."

"You mean aside from you and R.J.?" Alexa cracked.

"We have a love-hate relationship," Saffron said laughing.

"Speaking of love," Mimi said slyly. "I heard an interesting rumour about you and Peter Lawson, Saffron. Is it true you guys are dating now?"

Saffron blushed. "We're going to the first Hogsmeade weekend together and he promised to come and cheer me on this afternoon."

"That's so sweet!" Mimi and Beth chorused.

"Should I warn mum and dad about this?" Julie teased.

"Jules!" Saffron said. "I'm going with R.J. and Alexa so it's not as if Peter and I will be alone!"

"I'm only teasing," Julie said putting an arm around her sister. "And by the way, Peter was checking you out the entire class..."

Saffron blushed again. "He got so cute this summer. I always liked him anyway- but just not in a romantic sense. Not until now at least."

"I seem to remember someone telling me just last year that she had no time for boys," Alexa said thoughtfully.

"That was before they all got so fanciable," Saffron grinned.

"R.J.'s gotten even hotter over the summer too," Mimi teased. "You're so lucky to have him Lex."

"Speaking of R.J.," Julie said levelling her gaze at her sister. "Christina Grant is still in Madam Pomfrey's care with horrible spots. Either of you know anything about that..."

Saffron shrugged innocently but broke down into giggles a few minutes later. "One of her many admirers I suppose," she snorted.

"Saffron," Julie warned.

"She's a pain in the arse," Saffron said defensively. "Julie she's always trying to cause trouble for R.J., Alexa and me. She needs to get a bloody life."

"Yes, well there are better ways to solve your problems," Julie said. "I'm not going to be here to protect you all the time. Snape's just begging for an excuse, Saffy. You know that."

"I know," Saffron replied. "And I won't slip up in front of him. He's just an angry, pissy old man."

Julie couldn't argue with that. "Just be careful. I don't want you to do anything that would keep you off the team."

"Nothing will keep me off the Quidditch team," Saffron vowed.

"I wish I played better," Alexa said. "But I'll have to make do with cheering you and R.J. on Saffy."

"She hasn't even made the team yet," Mimi reminded gently. "There's a chance she might not make it."

"I'll make it," Saffron replied arrogantly. "I was training with my dad all summer long. Plus my best friend is the captain."

"Well you never know," Mimi said with a shrug.

"I think she'll make it," Beth replied, a little afraid of the look Saffron was giving Mimi. "Saffy's always been so good on a broom."

"Better than Mum and me," Julie said. "I cannot stand to fly, but Saffron was practically living on a broom by the time she was four."

Saffron grinned. "Mum said one of my first words was 'fly'. Dad was so thrilled."

"That was pretty funny," Mimi said giggling.

"Julie will you tell us more about Nick?" Beth asked eagerly.

"What do you want to know?" Julie asked.

"Everything," Mimi said covetously. "Where did you two meet? I know that the magazines say it was at some Muggle resort--"

"That's where they did meet," Saffron replied. "And they fell head over heels in love." she grinned.

"Not at first," Julie said laughing. "I hated him at first."

"You did?" Mimi and Beth shrieked together.

"I thought he was arrogant and like his father," Julie told them. "And for the most part, that's how he was when I first met him."

"Oh my!" Beth said. "Meems, she got to see him without his shirt!"

"Hello?" Saffron said sarcastically. "They're married you half wit!"

"Oh right," Mimi calmed down. "How did he finally win you over?"

"He helped me teach my little brother how to swim," Julie replied.

"Hold up," Saffron said. "I didn't know that. Ethan couldn't swim?"

"Not at first," Julie replied. "He was terrified of the water. And don't you go giving him a hard time about it either Saffy."

"Jules!" Saffron protested. "This is too good not to at least give him a little bit of a hard time..."

"He learned quickly," Julie interrupted. "Very quickly- by the end of the month, he was swimming like a pro. So keep that in mind."

"Her brother's pretty hot too," Mimi said dreamily to Beth. "Not as hot as Nick Malfoy, but hot just the same."

Saffron rolled her eyes. "I think I'm going to get out of here before I get nauseous."

"What time are tryouts?" Julie asked.

"Half past four," Saffron replied, slinging her bag over her shoulder. "I'm going to go over some potions notes in case Snape tries to spring a surprise quiz on us. Wouldn't put it past him."

"You're going to do fine," Julie said proudly. "Did you get Mum and Dad's owl? They said they were going to send you one."

Saffron nodded. "I got it at lunch."

"You nervous?" Julie asked. Saffron's friends were packing their belongings away and couldn't hear. "You can tell me if you are..."

"Just a little," Saffron confessed. "I mean, I've been practising so hard, and R.J. says I'm a shoo in, but I don't want people thinking he put me on the team just because we're mates."

Julie nodded. "Well, I'll let you in on something. I've never in my life see anyone like you on a broom, Saffy. It's like you have no fear and like it's the most natural thing in the world..."

Saffron grinned. "Thanks Jules."

"And R.J. would never put you on that team unless you truly deserved it," Julie said pulling on her sister's plait.

"Right," Saffron said. "I'll see you at tryouts."

"Good luck Saffy," Julie said giving her a hug.

"Come on," Alexa called out. "We need to go over those notes, remember?"

"Coming!" Saffron called back. "And say hi to Nick and the girls for me later!"

"I will," Julie said. "Bye girls."

"Thank you Julie!" all four of them chorused back.

Julie smiled and started tidying up the classroom for her next class. She didn't notice that Professor Snape had come into the classroom.

"Excuse me Miss Potter," he said coolly.

"It's Professor Malfoy actually," Julie corrected him.

"Of course," he said icily.

"What can I do for you?" she asked politely.

"I just had an interesting conversation with Philippe Lestrange," Snape replied.

"I'm sure you did," Julie said, not at all surprised that the boy would go rat to his Head of House.

"You took points from Slytherin," Snape said folding his arms. "For no good reason from what I gather."

"I believe I'm correct in assuming that he didn't give you the whole story then," Julie informed him of Philippe's derogatory comments. "I will not put up for that sort of arrogant attitude in my classroom."

"I think you may have let your personal feelings factor in the decision," Snape said. "The boy made an innocent comment about your father and you overreacted."

"I would hardly call him saying his aunt should have killed my father an innocent comment," Julie replied icily.

"Be that as it may," Snape said surveying the classroom. "I do have serious doubts about your ability to be objective."

Julie crossed her arms. "With all due respect sir, I don't think you're exactly the person who can make that sort of comment. It's common knowledge that you hate Gryffindors and favour your own house above all others."

"Much like you'll favour your sister, I'm sure," Snape shot back. "I heard you giggling with her as I walked down the corridor."

"Oh I'm terribly sorry professor, to share an amusing moment with my own sister," Julie said sarcastically. "If you've a problem with the way I'm teaching, then by all means, let's go to Dumbledore right now and have a chat. If not, then please leave. I've got lessons to prepare for. And I'll do and say whatever I like with my sister on my own time.”

Snape looked like he wanted to say something else, but to Julie's surprise he simply turned on his heel and stalked out of the classroom.

She shook her head and sat down at her desk, determined not to let the sulky professor intimidate her. Saffron was right- Snape was just a pissy, bitter old man.

*** *** ***

Saffron talked quite a good game, but she was in fact completely nervous now that the moment had arrived. There were four other blokes trying out for the position of seeker and they'd all flown wonderfully.

R.J. and Andrew Kirke were taking notes and Saffron bit her bottom lip as she waited her turn. She tried to remember everything she and her father had gone over this summer, but it seemed as if her mind had gone completely blank.

"You'll do fine," she told herself, rubbing her sweaty palms on her robes. "Just fly like you would any other time."

She looked over at the stands where Julie, Alexa and Peter were sitting. They all gave her the thumbs up sign and Saffron wished she felt as confident in herself as they did.

"Saffron Potter," Andrew called out. He smiled encouragingly at her.

Saffron swallowed as she got on her broom. R.J. gave her a smile and a stealthy thumbs up as well and she took off up into the pitch.

"Is it just me or did she look a little green?" Alexa asked worriedly to Julie.

"I think she's just a bit nervous," Julie said reassuringly.

"Come on Saffy!" Peter hollered encouragingly.

Andrew and R.J. watched as Saffron chased after the Snitch.

"She's good," Andrew commented admiringly. "Quite fast..."

R.J. nodded in agreement. "I think she'll catch it-- right now." he laughed. "There's a new record!"

Julie and Alexa gave each other high fives as Peter hooted and hollered.

"Way to go Saffy!" Alexa called out.

Saffron's nervousness had completely evaporated and she wore a huge grin as she flew back down to the ground.

R.J. wanted to join Julie, Alexa and Peter when they descended upon Saffron, but he knew as captain it wouldn't look right.

"I'd say it's between her and Richards," Andrew said. "They were both the quickest."

"I'm for Saffy," R.J. said immediately. "She caught it a clean five seconds before he did."

“That’s true,” Andrew agreed. “She’s amazing up there.”

"So Saffy has your vote?" RJ asked. "Andrew--?"

"Yeah sure but… Richards has been on the team before though," Andrew said thoughtfully tearing his gaze away from the brunette. "He would have made it last year if he hadn't gotten hurt. He has more experience..."

"But she's still quicker," R.J. said. "And she's smaller than he is too, so there's less of a chance of her getting hit by a Bludger."

"It's your call," Andrew said. "You're captain."

"I don't want you guys to think I'm favouring her because she's my friend," R.J. replied. "But I really do think she's the best choice."

"We wouldn't think that mate," Andrew reassured him. "We know you want the best team out there."

"Great," R.J. grinned.

"What's taking them so long?" Saffron asked worriedly. "Do you think he'll pick Richards over me? He did a good job."

"No way," Peter said squeezing her hand. "Saffy you were way quicker than he was. And you look a lot better too."

Saffron blushed. "Thanks Peter."

"Saffy you were amazing," Julie told her sister. "Don't tell Dad and Ethan this, but I think you're even better than they ever were."

"And how am I supposed to keep THAT a secret?" Saffron asked but she was grinning.

R.J. finally walked out onto the middle of the pitch and the crowd gathered around him.

"I want to thank you all for trying out this year," he began. "We had some excellent flyers and I really wish there was space for everyone on the team, but unfortunately there's not. So, without further ado, I give you the Gryffindor team. Captain and Keeper---R.J. Weasley. Chasers will be Andrew Kirke and Imelda Shaw..."

Saffron gripped Peter's hand tighter. "Oh I hope I made it!" she whispered feverishly as R.J. read off the names of the Beaters.

"And last but not least," R.J. said. "The position of seeker...Saffron Potter."

She screamed when R.J. announced her name. "I made it! I really made it!" Saffron jumped up and down.

R.J. laughed. "Congratulations to those of you who made the team. And for those of you who didn't, please try out again next year and by all means, show up and support us in our quest to win the house cup!"

"Congratulations Saffy!" Alexa said hugging her friend. "You were fantastic!"

"Thanks Lex," Saffron was overjoyed. "Oh this is so exciting!"

"Don't worry," Julie said giving her sister a hug. "I won't tell Mum and Dad. They'll want to hear this from you. You were great Saffy!"

"Thanks Jules," Saffron gave her sister a hug and noticed that Peter was hanging back a bit.

"I really do have to run," Julie apologised. "But I will see you bright and early tomorrow, okay?"

"All right Jules," Saffron grinned as her sister left.

"Congratulations," Peter smiled at her. "I feel a bit like a traitor for saying this, but I think Gryffindor will definitely win the Cup this year."

"Thanks," Saffron said giving him a hug. "And I won't tell anyone you said that. I'm so glad you were here today."

"I was glad to be here for you," he said shyly, his arms going around her waist.

"I was kind of hoping---" she began, but R.J. came up with Andrew and slapped her on the back.

"Nice flying Potter," he said picking her up and twirling her around.

"R.J.!" Saffron exclaimed. "Put me down!"

"Congratulations Saffron," Andrew smiled at her. "You did a really fantastic job up there."

"Thanks," Saffron told him before RJ spun her around again. "For Merlin's sake, RJ! Put me down!"

"That's Captain R.J. to you," he replied cheekily.

"I am not calling you Captain R.J.," Saffron said hitting him on the back.

"Captain Sir will do just fine as well," he teased. "Congratulations though Saf. You really were the best choice."

"I was so nervous," Saffron admitted. "I thought Richards was going to get it for sure."

"You were five seconds ahead of him," R.J. said, noticing Peter standing there uncomfortably. "But great job. I'm going to go catch up with Lex." he winked at her before heading off to see his girlfriend.

"He's such a goofball," Saffron said rejoining Peter. "I'm sorry about that."

"That's all right," he said, giving her a nervous smile.

Peter hadn't kissed her yet and Saffron was wondering if he was ever going to. Despite how much he'd changed over the summer, he was still somewhat shy and Saffron knew it would be up to her to make the first move.

"I really like you Pete," she said softly.

"I like you too Saffy," he said, squeezing her hand as they walked off the field together.

"And I'm glad that we've been spending so much time together," she said looking sideways at him.

"You have?" he asked. "I mean... me too. I've always liked you Saffron. You were always really nice to me when a lot of other people weren't."

Saffron smiled. "You're a really great bloke, Pete. I've always thought so. And when I asked you if you wanted to come along with Lex, R.J. and me to Hogsmeade, I meant as a date...you know that, right?"

"You did?" he asked hopefully. "I thought you just meant as friends... like before..."

Saffron stopped walking and looked at him properly. "I don't...I don't want to just be friends, Peter. I'd like us to be...more."

He stared at her, completely unable to speak at that moment.

Saffron wasn't sure to make of the look on his face at the moment. "You don't want that, do you?" she asked turning bright red. "I shouldn't have...”

"No," he stammered. "I just... I didn't realise you thought of me that way."

"We can just forget I said anything," Saffron said letting go of his hand. "We can just be friends. I shouldn't have assumed that you'd want more. I'll see you in class."

"Saffy wait," Peter caught her hand again. "I've fancied you for the longest time. I just didn't ever think you'd see it, or want me back."

Saffron looked up at him. "Really?"

"Yeah," he smiled, still quite shyly.

She stepped closer to him. "Would you do something for me then?"

"Sure," Peter agreed instantly.

"Would you kiss me?" she asked softly.

He gulped but nodded, licking his lips nervously.

Saffron smiled encouragingly up at him as he put his hands on her waist and leaned in and softly kissed her.

Peter felt his pulse race as he pressed his lips to hers. How long had he been dying for this and here it was actually happening!

"I've wanted you to do that for since we got back here," Saffron admitted when they pulled apart.

"You have?" he asked. "I'm... I'm glad. It was really um... really nice."

"It was," Saffron agreed. "We should probably get inside, I guess."

"Okay," he said, but then stopped. "One more?" he asked bravely.

Saffron grinned. "I'd like that."

He grinned back, and this time when he kissed her, he felt much more confident.

"Would you look at that?" R.J. asked as he and Alexa came up over the hill.

"Don't say anything," Alexa said nudging him. "He's really nice R.J. and Saffy likes him a lot."

"I wouldn't say a word," he joked. "Except remind her about how last year she said he'd never have a chance."

"Things change," she said watching as Saffron and Peter walked back to the castle hand in hand.

"As long as we don't change," he said with a grin.

"We won't," she promised. "You know I kind of liked seeing you all in control and being all captain-y today. It was kind of..."

"Sexy?" he asked proudly. "Yes I know."

Alexa laughed. "And your modesty is always a turn on as well."

"Anything for you Lexie," R.J. grinned before kissing her.

73. Chapter 73

Authors' note: We managed to respond to all the reviews again. We appreciate all the comments on that. And for those of your clammoring for some E/M and Frankie/Will, you get your wish in this chapter. You also see Chiaki with her mother-in-law....think that will go smoothly?

Even though Chiaki now had a woman come in and help her clean once every two weeks and Allison was coming over every few days, it was still hard to keep up with two infant babies. More often than not, both of them were hungry at once and one would cry while she fed the other.

Cho helped out as often as she could but she was busy with dance classes and Chiaki didn't want to bother Allison when she had to take Caroline to school every day and look after Emma. Toshio was taking all sorts of extra dance productions to keep the money coming in and she had barely seen her husband all week long.

At the moment, Chiaki was wishing for a few moments peace and quiet so she could take a shower and possibly tidy up the place. Sukie wasn't cooperating though. While her son slept peacefully in his crib, Sukie was wide awake and crying her eyes out.

"Mummy's here," Chiaki said picking her daughter up and holding her close. "Mummy's here, Sukie."

She patted her daughter's back softly and made comforting noises to try and get her to quiet down. "That's my good girl," she said soothingly as Sukie's sobs finally subsided.

The doorbell chimed and for an awful moment, Chiaki was afraid that Mas was going to wake up too. Thankfully, he stayed blissfully asleep.

"Do you think that's Aunt Allie?" Chiaki asked her daughter who stared up at her. "Let's go see if that's Aunt Allie and Emma, eh?"

She smiled as she opened the door and it only slipped a moment when she saw not her sister and niece outside, but her mother in law. "Rebecca," she said in surprise. "I didn't know you were coming over today." she stepped aside to let the older woman in.

"Chiaki," Rebecca Hanari said coolly as she walked inside the house, but not before giving her daughter-in-law's pyjamas and robe a scathing look.

"How are you?" Chiaki asked awkwardly. She and Toshio's mother had always gotten along fine before the wedding, but when Chiaki found out she was pregnant, Rebecca's attitude towards her had cooled for some reason.

"Well," Rebecca replied. "Thank you."

Chiaki nodded. "Well um... Mas is sleeping but Sukie's just woken up. I was just about to feed her..."

"I thought you were having someone come in and clean," Rebecca said looking around the sitting room.

"She came last week," Chiaki said. "As soon as I got Sukie back down I was going to tidy up."

"I see," Rebecca said. She followed Chiaki in the kitchen seemingly watching her every move. "I still can't believe you're not breastfeeding. It's much healthier for the babies."

"I wanted to wean them as soon as possible," Chiaki said. "I like to encourage independence early on."

"Of course," Rebecca said. "Do you mind if I make myself a cup of coffee?"

"Not at all," Chiaki said. "Please help yourself to anything we have. It's not much right now- Tosh and I have to run out to the shops once he gets home."

"It might be nice if you ran out before he gets home," Rebecca said opening up the cabinet and pulling out a mug. "He's been out of town and I'm sure the last thing he wants is to go shopping."

Chiaki rolled her eyes when Rebecca couldn't see. "I would, except it's not easy to manage two infants in a store. If one or both of them starts crying I can't very well keep shopping."

"It's not that hard," Rebecca said brightly. She frowned when she opened up another cabinet and found the coffee. "All you have is decaffeinated?"

"For now," Chiaki said in a patient tone.

"Tsk, Tsk," Rebecca said hastily making the coffee.

Chiaki warmed up a bottle and began to feed her daughter while keeping an ear out for any cries her son might make. Nowadays she was never really quite sure what to say to Rebecca.

Rebecca sat down with her coffee and a biscuit and watched with eagle eyes as Chiaki fed her daughter.

"That's my good girl," Chiaki said after several minutes, almost forgetting Rebecca was there. She could literally lose herself in staring at her children, memorizing their every tiny feature.

"She's a beautiful child, isn't she?" Rebecca said admiringly. It was the first positive thing she'd said since she'd walked through the door.

"Yes she is," Chiaki smiled. "She has Tosh's eyes."

"They both do," Rebecca said setting her coffee mug aside. She was going to go and get her grandson, but Chiaki stared after her in disbelief.

"Where are you going Rebecca?" Chiaki asked.

"I'm going to get Mas," she replied as if this should have been obvious.

"He might still be sleeping..." Chiaki called after her.

"I'll just wake him up," Rebecca said already half way to the nursery.

"But if he's sleeping I'd like him to stay asleep," Chiaki said, getting up.

Rebecca froze and slowly turned around, an icy expression on her face. "I'll be here to help you with him, if that's what you’re worried about. I know you're ...overwhelmed."

"I'm fine," Chiaki said, starting to lose patience with the other woman. "Believe it or not, I can handle my children."

"I never said you couldn't," Rebecca said unconvincingly. Neither of the two women heard the front door open.

"But I think you are obviously in over your head Chiaki," Rebecca said motioning around the hall. "You're not dressed and it's nearly afternoon. And you looked tired and pale. Not to mention the state of the house."

"I happen to think I'm doing fine," Chiaki said. "My sister comes a few times a week to help me out- and I was kipping just before Sukie woke up. That's why I'm not dressed. And our house isn't THAT bad."

Toshio had heard the sound of raised voices and he quickly set his bags down by the door. He was half way to the nursery when he caught sight of his mother and wife in a heated argument. He'd heard what his mother had said about Chiaki still being in her pyjamas and the state of the house.

"You've never been a mother before," Rebecca said quietly. "You don't know how to handle the demands of a house and a family. I'm willing to help you any way I can. The children..."

"Hang on just a second!" Toshio interjected causing both women to jump and Sukie to cry.

"Tosh!" Chiaki said. "I didn't think you'd be home for another few hours!"

"Hello son," Rebecca said.

"It's okay," Toshio said ignoring his mother and tending to his daughter who was still crying. He kissed Chiaki on the cheek.

"I was just telling Chiaki here that she's..."

"I heard what you were telling Chiaki," Toshio said glaring at her.

"Toshio-" Chiaki began but he shushed her.

"Mas and Sukie are our babies Mum,'" Toshio said. "And we're going to make mistakes. We've never done this before. And we appreciate you trying to help, but I will not stand for you coming in here and insulting Chi and casting doubts on her abilities as a mother and a wife."

"I wasn't insulting her," Rebecca pulled herself up straight. "I was simply offering my expertise help."

"You're not helping," Toshio said quietly. "You're not helping when you come over here and complain about the house not being clean or Chiaki being in her pyjamas and then making snide comments to me or Dad about it. I'm sick of it and I won't let you do it anymore."

Sukie's cries had subsided and she was now sleeping peacefully in her mother's arms.

"See," Toshio said standing beside his wife. "She's good."

Rebecca didn't say a word, just glared at Chiaki.

"Is it just me or has she gotten bigger since I last saw her," Toshio said smiling down at his sleeping daughter.

"She's getting bigger," Chiaki said looking adoringly at her husband. "It's not just you. They both are. I notice changes in them every single day."

"She's going to be gorgeous just like you," Toshio said, stroking her cheek.

Chiaki smiled. "And Mas will be as handsome as his Daddy."

Rebecca huffed. "I can see I'm not needed here."

"No one said that Mum," Toshio said keeping his voice low as to not wake Sukie. "I just think that you need to be easier on both of us and realise that we're the parents here and we're doing the best we can."

"I know more than the both of you," Rebecca pointed out. "I raised you and your brothers Toshio."

"Let me ask you a question then Mum," Toshio said looking right at her. "How did you feel when you brought your firstborn home? Did you know what you were doing when you and Dad brought Morinaga home from hospital?"

"Of course we did," Rebecca answered confidently.

"Really?" Toshio asked levelling his gaze at her. "That's not what Dad told me..."

Rebecca frowned at her son. "We weren't perfect. But I knew what to do."

"So does Chi," Toshio said smiling at his wife.

"Thanks Tosh," Chiaki said softly.

"I never said she didn't," Rebecca tried to explain. "These are my first grandchildren, Toshio. I want what's best for them."

"And Chiaki and I are doing the best we can for them," Toshio said firmly. "I love you Mum, but let us be the parents."

Rebecca looked thoughtfully at her son. "I'm...I'm sorry Chiaki."

"It's okay," Chiaki said quietly.

"You are doing a good job with them," Rebecca said. "And I think I should leave you to it."

"Thank you," Chiaki said, trying not to sound too amazed at the sudden turnabout. "And I do enjoy having you around Rebecca. I really do. I just can't have everything be perfect all the time."

"I'm going to try and remember that," Rebecca said stepping forward to get one last look at her granddaughter.

"Thank you Mum," Toshio said hugging her.

"Perhaps I'll come by later this week and help you tidy up, or just to watch the children if you two want some time alone," Rebecca said.

"That would be lovely," Chiaki smiled, trying not to let her tears well up. "Thank you."

Rebecca gave them one last smile before walking back up the hall and grabbing her bag. Toshio and Chiaki didn't move or say anything until they heard the front door close.

"Tosh," Chiaki started to say.

"Let's put Sukie down before you say anything else," he said softly.

"Okay," she said, heading towards the nursery.

Toshio followed his wife and watched as she gently set Sukie down in her crib. He took the opportunity to take a look at his son who was finally awake and looking up at him with wide eyes.

"Mas my big boy," Toshio said picking him up. "Did you miss your Daddy? Did you take good care of the girls while I was gone?"

Masanobu cooed back as Toshio and Chiaki both laughed. "I bet he's hungry," she said. "I'll have a bottle ready for him in a few minutes."

Toshio shook his head. "How about you go take a nice bath and let me handle this one?"

"Are you sure?" Chiaki asked.

"Positive," Toshio replied. "And I fully intend on spending some alone time with you later Chi."

"Maybe I'll make my bath extra long," Chiaki said. "And... you can join me if this little one goes back to sleep."

"I like the sound of that," Toshio said making a goofy face at his son.

"I love you," Chiaki said. "I love you so much Tosh. The best decision I ever made was to marry you."

"Even with the overbearing mother?" he asked teasingly.

"The bad comes with the good," she joked back, giving him a kiss.

*** *** ***

As luck would have it, Ethan and Maddie finally managed to both get the weekend off and were looking forward to spending it with their friends. Bree and Mason were meeting them at the pub as were Justin and Sarah. There was another couple coming, but Maddie hadn't told Ethan this yet. They were waiting for their friends at a big corner table. Maddie was sipping her glass of white wine and enduring countless teasing from Ethan about taking it easy.

She was happy that they were going to spend the evening with friends, but she was a little apprehensive about not only Jared coming, but also being out with Bree and Sarah. Maddie and Sarah had grown a little closer since the first time they'd met, but Maddie could tell that the girl secretly held out hope that her best mate and Ethan would reunite.

"Oooh, watch it Mads!" Ethan said as Maddie took another sip of her wine. "I don't want you dancing on the bar later."

"Sod off," Maddie laughed. "I'm nowhere near being pissed.”

"On second thought, you are a bit frisky when you're pissed," Ethan said. "Maybe I'll go and get you another glass."

"Oh stop it," Maddie giggled. "I'd love another glass."

"I think I need another beer," Ethan said. "You want me to order a starter or did you want to wait for the others?"

"Whatever you want," Maddie said, grabbing his hand and pulling him close for a kiss.

"Mmmm," Ethan said his hands snaking around her waist.

"Ethan," she murmured, kissing him harder. Ever since their trip to Brighton, it seemed like their relationship had become a little more open than before.

Maddie had seemingly lost her aversion to public displays of affection and Ethan wondered if perhaps the wine had something to do with that. He wasn't about to question it though not when it felt this good to be with her.

"Get a bloody room!" Justin said tapping his best friend on the back.

"Sod the fuck off," Ethan said irritably, pulling away.

"And how are Maddie's tonsils?" Justin joked.

"Lovely as always," Ethan retorted. "Hi Sarah."

"Hi Ethan," Sarah said taking off her cloak and hanging it over her chair. "Hello Maddie."

"Hi Sarah," Maddie blushed. "It's really great to see you again. I'm so glad you came out tonight!"

"I'm glad you asked," Sarah said warmly. "Bree and Mason will be along shortly. He had to work a bit late."

"You keep saying his name like it's a disease," Justin said to his girlfriend. "In case you missed it, Sarah. He makes your best mate very happy."

"Aye," Ethan said. "Bree hasn't stopped talking about him in ages."

"Yes well," Sarah said looking pointedly at Ethan. "He's going back to the States."

"Not if Bree has anything to say about it," Justin nudged his girlfriend.

"I hope you two don't mind," Maddie said eager to change the subject. "But I asked someone from work to join us..."

"You did?" Ethan asked in surprise.

"Jared," Maddie answered. "And he's bringing this girl he's met."

The fact that Jared was bringing someone else helped Ethan relax a little.

"The more the merrier then," Ethan said with a grin.

Maddie smiled at her boyfriend. "I'm so glad you get along with him," she said. "He told me he thinks you're a really great bloke."

"He did?" Ethan asked unable to keep the surprise out of his voice.

"The other day," Maddie said, caressing his cheek.

"Justie," Sarah said giving him her best pout. "How about you go and get me a drinky winky?"

"Is my baby thirsty?" Justin asked.

"Are they starting already?" Bree's voice cut in.

"Yes," Ethan said rolling his eyes. "Unfortunately, you haven't missed much."

"That's a shame," Bree said. "You lot remember Mason right?"

"Nice to see you again Mason," Maddie said warmly.

"Hey Maddie," Mason said with a slight Southern accent. He gave Ethan his most menacing look. "And the bloke who has been monopolising Breeana's time....Ethan, how the hell are you?"

Ethan laughed. "Good Mason. Nice to know you still want her around even though the only blokes she's been spending time with lately are me and Justin."

"And Justin's poor eyes glaze over every time I try and explain the runes," Bree said with a laugh.

"Like this you mean," Justin replied. "I say we not talk about work once tonight and just have some FUN!"

"I'm all for that," Sarah said moving over. "Come on Bree. Sit beside me."

Bree fought the urge to roll her eyes at her best friend. She obviously wanted her to sit there because she'd be right across from Ethan. "I'll just scoot in here beside Maddie."

Maddie grinned at her. "I'm so glad we finally all had a night to get together. I've only been bugging you for months to come out with us."

"This is the first time we've all had the same weekend off," Bree said. "But I know what you mean. It's great to get together like this."

"It really is," Maddie said with a big grin. "This is already so much fun!"

"Forgive her," Ethan joked. "She's had half a glass of wine."

"Oooh," Bree teased her. "Pissed already Maddie?"

"No," Maddie said hitting her boyfriend on the arm.

"Why'd you hit me?" Ethan asked, pretending to be offended.

"Because you deserved it," Maddie giggled.

"I think I'll go and get some drinks," Mason said. "What does everyone want?"

"Another wine," Maddie said.

"Beer for me," Ethan said his arm around his girl.

"Juice box for Justin and Sarah," Bree joked. "Make sure they put it in a childproof cup."

"Sod off," Sarah replied. "Cosmo for me please."

Mason laughed. "Sure thing. And I know what Bree wants."

"Right," Bree laughed. "You know everything I want."

Mason winked at her before walking toward the bar.

"Bree you look amazing tonight," Sarah told her friend. "Doesn't she, Ethan?"

"Sure she does," Ethan replied. "Bree's always been gorgeous. I never thought otherwise."

"Ow!" Sarah exclaimed.

"What is it?" Maddie asked concerned.

"Someone kicked me," Sarah grumbled.

"Oh was that your foot?" Bree asked glaring at her.

"It was," Sarah glared back.

"Maddie looks beautiful as always," Bree said turning her attention to the blonde. "I would kill for your hair."

"Oh," Maddie touched her strands, which she'd left down for that night. "My hair isn't that great..."

"Are you kidding me?" Bree asked her. "Long and flowing and perfect curls? Who wouldn't want that?"

Maddie laughed. "I guess it looks all right. I'd never cut it, that's for sure."

"Bree, you have great hair," Sarah said. "And since its shorter now I think it really shows off your features. Don't you think so Ethan?"

"It's not that different," Ethan said, baffled.

"It's just shoulder length now," Bree said kicking her friend again under the table.

"But it was like halfway down your back," Sarah protested.

"It's not that big a deal, honestly," Bree replied. "What is going on with you?"

"I just wanted to make sure we all knew that you looked different," Sarah said hastily.

Justin grabbed Sarah by the arm. "Excuse us for a moment, won't you?"

Bree, Maddie and Ethan watched as Justin led Sarah off.

"I'm so embarrassed," Bree said putting her head in her hands. "I am so sorry. I thought she was finally going to let this rest."

"It's okay Bree," Maddie replied. "I understand."

"Do you know she actually printed out something from the computer about flight schedules for Mason?" Bree asked. "I could have killed her!"

"I guess she doesn't see how happy you are with him?" Maddie offered. "It's obvious to me that you care about him very much."

"He's pretty great," Bree gushed.

"And his favourite colour is blue," Ethan joked. "And he likes to hike and build things and he loves anything Italian..."

"I don't talk about him that much!" Bree said blushing.

"And he loves when you wear your hair down like tonight." Maddie continued in a teasing tone. "And when you wear a halter..."

"Not you too!" Bree said laughing.

Maddie laughed. "You're too easy to tease!"

"That's what I keep telling her," Mason said as he came back to the table. "Here's your wine, Maddie and Bree. And another beer for Ethan."

"Thank you," Maddie said. "That's very nice of you Mason."

"No problem," Mason said sitting down next to Bree.

Maddie looked up to see Jared coming into the pub with a pretty brunette. He caught her eye and waved.

"Your friend is here," Ethan said; he'd also caught sight of the blond.

"Hi Jared!" Maddie said getting to her feet.

"Good to see you Maddie," Jared smiled. "I'd like you lot to meet Anya."

"Nice to meet you Anya," Maddie said shaking the girl's hand. "I'd like you to meet Ethan. And this is Bree and her boyfriend Mason. Our friends Justin and Sarah should be back soon."

"It's nice to meet you too," Anya recognised her from that day she'd come while Jared hid her in the loo, but she didn't say anything about that.

"So how did the two of you meet?" Ethan asked.

"At a pub," Anya answered. "He was there with some of his friends and they introduced us."

Jared had to remind himself to keep his attention on his date. It was quite difficult because Maddie was looking absolutely ravishing tonight and her lips were just begging to be kissed. "And we just hit it off, didn't we Anya?"

"Right," Anya hugged him around the waist.

Maddie grinned at her friend across the table. "That's so great and I'm so glad you could join us tonight."

"Me too," Anya said. "I haven't gotten a chance to meet many of Jared's friends and he talks about you a lot Maddie."

"All good I hope," Maddie teased.

"Like there's anything but good," Jared said in a slightly flirtatious tone.

"There's bad things," Maddie said briefly touching his arm.

"Nah, Jared's right," Ethan said smiling at her. "You're perfect."

Maddie flushed. "I am not."

"You are," Ethan said putting his arm around her.

Maddie kissed him. "I'm glad you think so," she whispered.

Jared clenched his fists under the table.

"Jare?" Anya asked. "How about you get us some drinks?"

"Sure," Jared let his fist relax. "What did you want?"

"Surprise me," she said softly.

"All right," Jared gave her a kiss, mostly to benefit Ethan and Maddie. "I'll be right back."

Jared walked up to the bar and motioned for the bartender. There was a couple arguing right beside him.

"I just want him to remember what a great girl Bree is," the brunette girl was saying. "You know they belong together Justin. Maddie's just a phase."

"She's Ethan's girlfriend," the guy argued. "He's given her a bloody ring, they live together, and now they've been together over a year. Fucking DROP it Sarah."

Jared's ears perked up at this.

"You said yourself that she and Ethan have gotten closer while they've been working on the case," the girl argued. "You said it seemed like old times."

"In terms of friendship," the guy said. "That's all. He's in love with Maddie and that's that."

"It's just I always pictured you and me and Ethan and Bree living side by side," the girl pouted. "Raising our families together...."

"That's not going to happen," the guy said. "I thought you said you liked Maddie. Come on Sarah..."

"I do," Sarah said. "But I just had such high hopes for Ethan and Bree."

"What can I get you sir?" the bartender asked, but Jared was too preoccupied to listen to what this couple was saying. "Are you okay mate?"

"Okay," Sarah said dejectedly. "I'll stop trying to get them back together. Happy now?"

"I'll have a rum and coke and a pint of your best house lager," Jared said, determined to pretend he didn't hear that conversation.

Justin leaned in and gave Sarah a kiss. "That's my wittle girl."

"My baby," Sarah smiled back at him. "I do love you."

"I love you too," Justin said. "Now you go to play nice the rest of the evening?"

"I promise," Sarah said.

"Good girl," Justin said taking her hand and leading her back to the table.

Sarah wasn't surprised to see Ethan and Maddie snogging while Mason and Bree were talking quietly when they went back to the table. "Ahem," she said, clearing her throat in a comical matter.

"And the toddlers are back," Ethan said as he pulled away from Maddie.

"Very funny," Sarah said.

"Sarah, Justin," Maddie said. "I'd like you to meet Anya and right behind you...is my good friend Jared."

"Oh hello," Justin put his hand out. "Nice to meet you mate."

Jared handed Anya her drink and then shook Justin's hand. "Likewise. Maddie's told me a lot about you both."

"Glad you could join us," Sarah replied. "This is fun- we've never all been able to get out all together like this."

"We should do this more often," Maddie said. "And Frankie and Will should come too. They would have come with tonight but they're too busy still honeymooning."

"You two talk about them so much I feel as if I know them," Bree said.

"You would love them," Maddie said. "Frankie helped with the remodelling of Ethan's flat. She really turned the place around."

"Now see, you are making it sound like my place was a dump before you and Frankie moved in for the kill," Ethan protested.

"You can't blame her," Bree said. "Your place looked like poo, Ethan. The colours were so ugly."

"See?" Maddie said triumphantly.

Ethan pouted. "They weren't THAT bad..."

"Yes they were," Bree, Maddie and Sarah chorused.

Ethan turned red. "Can we talk about something else?"

"We could talk about that disgusting lime green colour the walls of your loo were painted," Bree said grinning at him.

"Maddie, want to dance?" Ethan asked hastily.

"I'd love to," Maddie said taking his hand.

"That sounds like fun," Mason said. "Bree? Want to risk it?"

"With you?" Bree asked. "Of course I do."

Justin and Sarah followed suit and Anya expected Jared to do the same, but he just sat there.

"I like your friends," she said smiling at him.

"They're great," he said mechanically, watching Ethan grind against Maddie on the dance floor.

"I was really surprised you called," Anya said. "I hadn't heard from you for a week. But I'm really glad you did."

Jared forced a smile at her. "Why wouldn't I ring you?"

Anya laughed. "I don't know. Maybe you didn't have as much fun as I did." She followed his gaze to the dance floor. "You fancy her, don't you?"

"Who?" Jared asked.

Anya rolled her eyes. "Maddie, of course. Don't worry. I don't think she realises it and her boyfriend doesn't or he'd pound you into the ground."

Jared glanced at her. "If you say anything..." he threatened.

"What are you going to do?" Anya teased. "Spank me?"

"You'll find out later," Jared said, enjoying her insinuation.

"I am curious about one thing though," Anya said looking at Maddie. "She seems too...pure for you."

"Don't worry about it," Jared replied coolly.

"You like them that way?" Anya asked. "All sweet and pure and naive?"

"I said, don't worry about it," Jared said. "Have a drink."

"I don't think she's going to fall for you," Anya said after she'd taken a sip of her rum and coke. "She and Ethan seem pretty tight."

"Do you want to dance?" Jared asked abruptly.

"Going to pretend I'm Maddie?" Anya teased.

Jared stared at her, his face etched in stone.

"Okay," Anya laughed standing up. "Let's go dance. Smile, Jared. Your face'll freeze like that."

"Just shut the hell up about Maddie," he grumbled.

"My lips are sealed," Anya said as they made their way to the dance floor.

Maddie smiled over Ethan's shoulder as she saw Anya and Jared dancing.

"I think she really likes him," Maddie said. "And vice versa.”

"Good," Ethan replied. "I'm happy for him."

"I told you he was a good bloke," Maddie said. "He deserves to be happy after what happened with Cordelia."

"Right," Ethan said. He honestly couldn't care less about Jared and Cordelia at that moment. He leaned in and kissed his girlfriend, pulling her body tight against his.

Maddie eagerly kissed him back. She loved being with him like this.

Ethan thrust his tongue through her lips, kissing her deeply as they danced almost blindly, not knowing how they moved, just how they fit together.

"Yes Ethan," Maddie whispered as he broke away for a moment so they could both catch their breath.

"Sometimes it's so hard," he said, his eyes boring into hers. "Knowing we're together but not be together. I don't regret it, but it's just hard."

"I know," she said looping her arms around his neck. "It's frustrating, but it will be so much better when we have our wedding night."

"Absolutely," Ethan said. "You know... sometimes I don't know why I don't just propose right now. Just take you away and marry you tonight..."

Maddie smiled. "Elope?"

"I want to," Ethan confessed. "But I know how disappointed our families would be."

"And I want to have my sisters and Allie and Frankie standing with me," Maddie said. "And I want to walk down the aisle with my Dad so he can give me away to my handsome groom."

"Of course," Ethan said, brushing a lock of her hair behind her ear. "I want to give you the wedding you always dreamed of. What my dad gave to my mum... what your dad gave to your mum. The best of the best, because that's what you are."

Maddie leaned in and softly kissed him. "You make me so happy, Ethan. More happy than I ever dreamed I could be."

"I'm really glad," he said. "You know, sometimes I look at you while you're asleep and I wonder what I did to deserve you."

"Well you stopped running when I chased after you," Maddie said with a grin. "That helped."

"Did it now?" Ethan asked, dipping her back.

"Yes," she giggled. "It did."

"Because I was the only one that didn't bend to your wishes?" Ethan asked, kissing her again, not noticing Jared's glare.

"You were just playing hard to get," Maddie said impishly.

"So you think," Ethan teased.

"So I know," Maddie corrected.

"Earth to Jared," Anya said waving her hand in front of his face. She looked over and saw where he was looking and could only shake her head. "Still think you're in with a chance?"

"Shut up," Jared said sharply.

"Jared," Anya said quietly. "She's not into you. Why don't you just cut your losses and have fun with me?"

"I am," Jared replied. "Fun..."

"Well it's not very fun to watch you mooning over that girl all night," Anya shot back becoming fed up with him more and more.

"What are you going to do about it?" Jared snarled.

"Go home and put a stop to this charade," Anya said pulling away from him.

Jared yanked her back. "If you tell them..." he began.

"You're hurting me!" Anya hissed. "Ease up, Jared! I'm not going to tell anyone anything!"

"Keep it that way," he snapped.

Maddie and Ethan walked past them and Maddie tapped Jared on the shoulder. "We're heading back to the table. You two ready to order some food?"

"Sure," Jared said immediately. "You hungry?" he asked Anya.

What Anya really wanted to do was get as far away from him as she could, but he was paying for the meal. "Yeah," she said quietly. "I'm starving."

"Good," he pulled her back to the table, making sure he sat by Maddie.

Maddie grinned at her friend. "So, how's it going?" she asked in a whisper to Jared.

"Better than I thought," he lied, leaning in. "I'm really glad you invited me and Anya out."

"I'm glad you came along," Maddie said sincerely. "I know how hard it's been for you. You deserve to be happy, Jared."

"Thanks Mads," Jared kissed her cheek, going as close to the corner of her mouth as he dared.

"I think this is going to be a real turning point for you," Maddie said grinning at him.

"Let's hope so..." Jared replied.

*** *** ***

Frankie was still stewing over the fact that Alicia had made no effort to make amends for her dreadful behaviour. It had been nearly two weeks and she'd not even sent an owl or anything.

Her mind had been on her so called friend a lot over the past couple of weeks and she was more hurt than she cared to admit that Alicia wanted nothing to do with her apparently.

"She's probably talking me down to all our old friends," Frankie said thoughtfully to Will as they enjoyed a late night dinner.

"If they don't ring or owl you, they weren't good friends to begin with," Will said. "Come on Frankie I know you're upset but don't let this get to you."

"She's such a cow," Frankie said. "I can't believe I never noticed it before!"

Will chose not to respond to that.

"A complete and utter cow," Frankie said nodding. "I hope she gets early crow's feet and spots."

Will shook his head and chuckled. "I'd hate to see what you'd wish on me if we were in a strop."

"You'd never treat me like she did," Frankie said.

"I'd never treat anyone at all that way," Will shook his head.

"Which is why you are sweet and nice and lovely and she's a complete and utter cow," Frankie said sweetly. "Hand me one of those egg rolls, sweetheart."

"Sure," Will put one on her plate.

"Thank you," she said smiling at him. "I must say I absolutely adore being married to you and I love our new house and our new life."

"Me too," Will squeezed her hand.

"I got my new business cards today," Frankie said grinning at him. "Francesca Barron, Public Relations."

"Did you?" he asked. "Let me have one to show off."

"I couldn't stop looking at them today," she said as she got up to retrieve her bag from the sitting room.

Will grinned as she came back in and extended a small pale blue card towards him. "I think they're perfect," he said, pulling her onto his lap.

"I think you're perfect," she said before giving him a kiss.

"You taste like sweet and sour," he teased.

"And you taste like Moo Goo Gai Pan," she said laughing.

"Say that again," he chortled.

"Why?" she asked.

"It sounds cute coming from you," he said, nipping at her lips.

"Moo Goo Gai Pan," she said. "Moo Goo Gai Pan..."

He laughed again before picking her up and setting her on the counter. "I'm still hungry," Will said huskily. "But not for Chinese food anymore..."

"Will," Frankie squealed. "Here?"

"Sure," he said. "It's our house... our kitchen... our counter..."

"So much for Mr. Boring," she said undoing the buttons on his shirt.

"Mr. Boring wants some dessert," Will said, pulling at her jeans.

Frankie giggled as he eased her jeans down her legs.

"Moo Goo Gai Pan," she said grinning at him.

He laughed again. "Come here and say that," he said suggestively.

"Where do you want me?" she asked her eyes darkening.

"Right here," he said softly as he shed his trousers.

"Right here?" she asked looping her arms around his neck and pulling him to her.

"That's it baby," he said, kissing under her earlobe.

"Merlin I love it when you do that," she whispered.

He suckled at her skin lightly as he positioned her body on the counter.

"Now," she breathed. "Please Will..."

Will slid inside her in one fluid movement, his hands and lips caressing her body.

"Ohhh," Frankie said wrapping her legs around him.

"This never gets old," he grunted. "You amaze me every single time Francesca."

"That's Mrs. Boring to you," she said as they began to move together.

"Always my Mrs. Boring," he grinned back at her.

A few minutes later, Frankie was still clutching to her husband feeling completely sated and satisfied.

"That was...one of our best," she whispered.

"Gets better every time," Will agreed, brushing a strand of hair off her forehead.

"Yes it does," she said smiling up at him. "Will, I love you so much."

"I love you too baby," he said, stroking her glossy hair behind her ears.

"So I guess now all I have to do when I'm in the mood is say those four magic words," Frankie said winking at him.

"What might those be?" Will asked, his eyes glinting.

"Moo Goo Gai Pan," she replied with a laugh.

Will kissed her. "Moo Goo Gai Pan should be dessert..."

"I think it just was," Frankie said.

"They should name a dish after you," Will said, sliding her off the counter.

"Frankie Gai Pan?" Frankie suggested retrieving her jeans and knickers from the floor.

"Long as I'm the only one who gets to eat it," Will commented lustily.

"You'll be my exclusive customer," she said.

"Can't wait," he said softly.

"We can't put it on the menu for our dinner party," she said slipping back into her clothes.

"I don't know how well it would go with pineapple upside down cake," he teased as they sat back at the table.

"True," Frankie laughed. "You like the island theme don't you?"

"Sure I do," Will said.

"I was thinking we could have it the day before Halloween," Frankie said. "I would have said Halloween, but Allie and Jon will be taking the kids trick or treating as will Jack and Claire."

"That sounds good to me," Will replied agreeably, helping himself to the last egg roll.

"Great," Frankie said. She reached into the bag and pulled out the two fortune cookies. "Which one do you want?"

"That one," Will said plucking the plastic wrapped cookie out of her right hand.

Frankie unwrapped hers and cracked open the cookie pulling out the white slip of paper. "It is better to be hated for what you are than loved for what you are not," she read aloud. "I couldn't agree more."

Will opened his. "You long to see the Great Pyramids of Egypt..."

"You do?" Frankie asked.

"Apparently so..." Will shook his head. "That's not a bloody fortune!"

Frankie laughed. "You know there was something that Allie and Chiaki told me about fortune cookies. At the end of the fortune, you're supposed to add the words '...in bed' to it. So..." she picked her fortune back up. "Mine would really be 'it is better to be hated for what you are than loved for what you are not...in bed."

"You are definitely loved in bed," Will grinned.

"And apparently yours would be that you long to see the Great Pyramids of Egypt in bed..." Frankie said laughing even louder.

"Sod off you," Will said, pulling her back into his lap again. "Or I'll show you what mushu pork really means."

"How about we finish this conversation up," Frankie said. "In bed..."

"More dessert," Will said with a grin. "I like that idea."

"Race you back there," Frankie said jumping out of his lap.

"Hey no fair," he laughed, running after her.

"You can punish me," she called back.

74. Chapter 74

Authors’ note: This chapter starts out with the Hogwarts crew….but you also get a little Harry/Hermione, Ethan/Maddie, Julie and Elinore thrown in for good measure. You also get another flashback of Harry/Hermione from earlier in their marriage. We hope you enjoy that. So, without further ado, here is the next chapter…

The day of Saffron's first Quidditch match dawned clear but rather cool. Part of her was incredibly nervous and she forced herself to eat as R.J. drilled ideas into her about how to capture the Snitch.

"And make sure you catch it quickly," R.J. was saying as Alexa rolled her eyes. "Don't let the Ravenclaw seeker get anywhere near it. And--"

"I know," Saffron said pushing her plate away. "I've got it R.J.."

"You know, you're only making her nervous," Alexa scolded him.

"I'm doing a good enough job with that on my own Lex," Saffron said.

"Don't be," Alexa said. "You're a fantastic Seeker and you know it. You'll win the game today."

"That's right," Peter came up behind them. "I wanted to wish you luck Saffy."

"Thanks Pete," Saffron said smiling up at him. "I appreciate that."

"I have a feeling my own house doesn't think too much of me at the moment," he said with a laugh. "I told them I was rooting for you over them."

"Well we are the better team," R.J. said causing Alexa to hit him in the arm. "Ow! We are better than them, Lex!"

Peter grinned at sat down. "I won't argue with that."

"But you really need to watch out for Jensen," R.J. told Saffron. "He's always given us trouble and you need to make sure that you keep an eye on him too..."

"I will!" Saffron said edgily.

"You're not going to go blabbing this to your housemates are you Pete?" R.J. asked Peter.

"R.J.!" Saffron exclaimed. "Shut up!"

"Morning," Andrew said coming up and sitting down. He looked from Saffron to Peter to Alexa. "Morning Saf… bloke I don't know and R.J.'s woman..."

"Andrew, this is Peter," Saffron introduced. "Peter, Andrew."

Andrew looked at Peter inquisitively for a few moments before finally sitting down. An obvlivious Saffron grinned at Peter while Andrew distracted himself by loading his plate with toast, eggs and bacon.

Andrew then turned excitedly to his best friend. “You’re not going to believe this mate…guess who is going to be watching the match today?”

"Who?" R.J. asked.

"Scouts mate," Andrew said. "Puddlemere, Chudley and Wimbourne."

"I'm definitely not interested in the Cannons," R.J. said, thinking back on Paul and what the jerk had done to his sister. "But Puddlemere, without a doubt."

"I think I'm going to take a walk and clear my head," Saffron said, her face gone a bit pale at this news. "I'll meet you lot down at the pitch."

"Do you want me to come with?" Alexa asked.

"It's okay," Saffron said. "You stay with R.J.."

"I'll keep you company if you don't mind that is," Peter said standing up.

"I don't know how much fun I'll be," Saffron said, waving goodbye to her friends. "But I'd like that."

Peter smiled and took Saffron's hand and led her out of the Great Hall.

"You're going to do great you know that right?" Peter told her squeezing her hand.

"I hope so," she said, still nervous. "My first match... I just don't want to look like a fool. And I don't want to make R.J. look like a fool for picking me if I mess up."

"What time are your parents getting here?" Peter asked, knowing that this was part of the reason she was so nervous about the match.

"About a half hour before it starts," Saffron said. "I probably won't get to see them until after."

"You're going to do just fine Saffy," Peter said. "You fly like...like nothing I've ever seen before and you're just amazing...”

"Thanks Pete," Saffron smiled at him. "You're making me feel better already."

"And we'll have something to celebrate afterwards," Peter said. "Even if my entire house ostracises me."

She laughed. "How did you want to celebrate?" she asked.

"I don't know," Peter said. "I know I can't get into your common room..."

"We can sit by the lake together," Saffron suggested.

"I can nick some food for us in the kitchens," Peter said. "I know a couple of the house elves...oh...I'm sorry...I know how you feel about that..."

"It's okay," Saffron said, walking closer to him. "Did you know that my mum instigated this House Elves freedom right? They have to be paid now."

"That's pretty cool," Peter said. "I know that some of them aren't too crazy about that though..."

"No but they don't have a choice about it now," Saffron replied.

"True," Peter said grinning at her. They walked up the stairs toward the Astronomy Tower and passed a couple of sixth-year girls who were whispering about something.

"Hi Peter," one of the girls said causing the other girl to giggle.

"Hi," Peter responded.

"I love your jumper," the other girl said. "It matches your eyes..."

"Thanks," he said, glancing at Saffron.

The two girls started to giggle again and then continued back down the stairs.

"Who were they?" Saffron whispered.

"I don't know," he confessed. "I think they're from my house, but they've never even spoken to me before."

Saffron smiled. "So, I guess I shouldn't be jealous then?"

"You have nothing to be jealous about," he grinned at her.

Saffron giggled much like the two girls had done and batted her eyelashes at him. "I love your jumper...it goes with your eyes. Fancy a snog?"

"I definitely like the snog part," he said, boldly leaning in.

Saffron pressed her lips to his. For a few moments, she was able to forget about the match and her parents and the scouts.

"Did that help calm your nerves at all?" he asked softly, resting his forehead on hers.

"What nerves?" Saffron asked softly.

Peter grinned and kissed her again.

"And that's my classroom," Julie said closing the door behind her. She was showing her parents her office and classroom before they went into the Great Hall.

"It looks wonderful sweetheart," Hermione told her. "Don't you think so...Harry?"

But Harry wasn't listening. He was too busy watching his fifteen-year old daughter kissing a boy he didn't know.

Hermione followed his gaze. "Harry," she nudged him. "Stop thinking what you're thinking right now."

"Who...who is that?" Harry asked.

"He's in Ravenclaw," Julie told her father. "He's a really nice bloke and Saffron really fancies him, Dad."

"What's his name?" Harry asked. "What do his parents do?"

"His name's Peter Lawson," Julie answered. "And how are we to know what his parents do?"

"How about we ask him?" Harry asked shrugging off Hermione's arm on his shoulder. "Saffron!"

Saffron pulled away from Peter at the sound of her name. "Dad?" she asked. "What are you doing here? I thought you weren't coming until the match?"

"We wanted to see Julie," Harry said glaring at Peter. "And to spend some time with you before the match."

"Dad um," Saffron clasped Peter's hand again. "This is Peter Lawson... we study together sometimes and we're uh... we're..."

"Study partners," Peter said finally finding his voice. "It's a great honour to um...meet you sir."

"Hello," Harry extended his hand, his eyes never wavering.

Peter's own hand was trembling as he shook Harry's hand. He kept remembering how this man had single-handedly defeated the darkest wizard of their time.

"Hi Peter," Julie smiled at him. "This is Saffron's and my mother, Hermione."

"Hello Minister," Peter said smiling weakly at her. "Saffron talks about you and Mr. Potter so much, I feel like I already know you."

"She's talked about you too," Hermione said warmly. Saffron blushed at that.

"She has?" Harry asked looking at his wife.

"Yes," Hermione said, ignoring her husband's look. "It's lovely to finally meet you in person Peter."

"You too," Peter said. "I...I should probably get back to the...um...well I need to get there....I'll see you after the match Saffron..."

Julie giggled as poor Peter nearly sprinted down the stairs.

Saffron glared at her father. "Thanks for scaring him off Dad."

"I was perfectly civil to the boy," Harry said defensively.

"You were scary," Saffron said. "Pete's my boyfriend, whether or not you like it. And he's been nothing but respectful to me."

"Boyfriend?" Harry asked incredulously. "Hang on a second. Last I knew you were dating some Muggle named Sean..."

"I told you they broke things off," Hermione reminded him.

"Dad I'm fifteen not five," Saffron said.

"We're not here to argue," Hermione said getting in between them. "This is Saffron's big day, remember?"

"Right," Harry said, relaxing.

"Mum, I'm so nervous," Saffron said. "Andrew told R.J. that there were scouts here and I know they're not here to see me, but they are for R.J. and I don't want to let him down and I just..."

"Relax sweetheart," Hermione hugged her daughter. "You're going to do just fine. I think I'm more nervous than you are." she teased.

"Somehow I don't think that's possible," Saffron said with a laugh. "I'm so glad you guys are here."

"Greta says to wish you good luck," Julie tugged on her sister's plait. "And so do the girls and Nick."

"Thanks Jules," Saffron said smiling at her. "Professor Malfoy..."

"Smartarse," Julie laughed.

"I'm so proud of you both," Hermione said putting an arm around both her daughters.

"Thanks Mum," Saffron said. "I'm so glad you finally got to meet Peter. He's really very sweet when he's not being glared at."

"I wasn't glaring at him much," Harry said. "I'll be nicer when I see him next. I promise."

"Daddy he really is nice," Saffron replied. "And we haven't had an official date yet- we're going to Hogsmeade our first weekend with R.J. and Alexa."

"I look forward to getting to know him," Harry said honestly. "I love you sweetheart."

Saffron finally smiled at him. "I love you too," she gave him a big hug.

"How about we go and grab something to eat?" Hermione suggested. "Julie was about to take us to the Great Hall when we ran into you."

"I'm not hungry," Saffron said. "I just sort of picked at my breakfast."

"I was the same way before my matches," Harry said. "I was afraid if I ate, I'd throw up during the...okay, that's probably not helping you."

"Not really..." Saffron said weakly.

"I know something that might help," someone said behind Saffron. She turned to see Ethan, Maddie and her grandmother.

"Gran?" Saffron asked. "What are you doing here?"

"I couldn't miss my Saffy's first match," Elinore said warmly.

Saffron grinned and ran down the stairs to give her a hug. "I'm so glad you're here!"

Elinore hugged her tightly. "I've missed you so much sweetheart. But I've loved getting letters from you so often."

"I bet you heard about Peter," Harry joked.

Elinore laughed. "Quite an earful."

"Did you bring an extra blanket for Gran?" Saffron asked. "It's really windy outside and I don't want her to get cold."

"I've got a cloak for her to wear," Maddie spoke up.

"Thanks Maddie," Saffron said giving her a hug. "R.J. will be so happy to see you!"

"If he comes up for air?" Maddie joked. "Look at him!" she pointed to her brother who was currently exploring Alexa O'Leary's mouth.

"Oi!" Ethan shouted out. "Get a room, Ronald Junior!"

"Sod off," R.J. replied, not even turning around to see who was talking to him.

"Hello Professor Snape!" Ethan called out knowing that would do the trick.

R.J. pulled away from his girlfriend so fast she almost lost balance. "Not funny mate," R.J. glowered.

"I don't know," Ethan said cheekily. "I thought it was."

"Hello Minister," Alexa said blushing. "Mr. Potter."

"How are you Alexa?" Hermione smiled at her. "And what have I told you about calling me minister? Call me Hermione."

"I'm sorry," Alexa apologised.

"Mads," R.J. said hugging his sister. "I didn't know you were coming..."

"I didn't want to miss the match," Maddie said. "Both you and Saffy playing..."

"I'm glad you're here," he said. "Andrew told me that three teams have sent scouts."

"That's fantastic," Maddie was happy for her brother. "They'll all be offering you contracts before the year ends."

"Chudley's here too," R.J. said in her ear. "I never thought I'd say this, but I don't want to play for them Maddie. Not as long as Paul's there."

Maddie smiled at him. "I like Puddlemere myself..."

"That's Dad's new favourite too," R.J. said. "And Frankie's working with them so that helps."

"We were going to get something to eat," Harry said. "Want to join us?"

Even though he had just eaten, R.J. could always go for more. "Sure. In fact, I want to run some ideas past you Uncle Harry."

"Sure," Harry chuckled.

"I'll definitely eat," Maddie said. "I miss Hogwarts food."

"They had some really good stuff this morning," Alexa said. "French toast, waffles, fresh fruit, those big blueberry muffins..."

"Stop already," Maddie laughed. "I'm starving as it is!"

"You just ate," Ethan nudged her.

"Yes but they have French toast," Maddie said defensively. "You know I can never turn that down. Now, Alexa...you should sit by me because I need to tell you all sorts of embarrassing things about R.J.. Did you know that when he was two he didn't want to wear clothes? Used to walk around the house completely starkers..."

"Maddie!" R.J. exploded.

Alexa giggled. "I'd like to hear more about this."

"And he said he was a fairy," Maddie continued.

"I never said that!" R.J. protested.

Saffron began to laugh. "I bet you did."

"You used one of Dad's old wands," Maddie said. "And you used to twirl..."

R.J. glared at his sister. "Okay, okay we get the bloody picture."

"Twirling isn't so bad," Ethan said remembering his and Maddie's dance in the snow.

Maddie smiled at him. "You'd better say that..."

Ethan grinned. "Come on, let's go feed you..."

They all walked toward the Great Hall and R.J. pulled Alexa back. "You know if I did do any of that, I was only a baby at the time..."

"I don't think any less of you," Alexa grinned at him.

"Good," he said grinning back at her. "This is what's so bad about coming from a large family. They all want to embarrass you."

"I understand," Alexa leaned in and gave him a kiss.

"I love you," he whispered. "My good luck charm..."

She giggled. "That's the sweetest thing anyone's ever said to me..."

"I'm going to need a kiss from you before every match or I'll play like crap," he said grinning down at her.

"As if I'd let you go out there and play without a decent snog," Alexa said softly.

"What kind of girlfriend would you be?" R.J. asked tickling her side.

"Not a very good one," she said, laughing. "Since we already ate, why don't we get a head start on your good luck for today?"

R.J. grinned. "I don't usually turn down food, but..."

"I'm better than food," Alexa said, hugging him around the middle.

"I like this bold, confident side of you," R.J. said. "Come on...we can go up to my room. Everyone's in the Great Hall anyway."

"Okay," Alexa agreed.

"Wait here," he said giving her a kiss. "I'll just go and tell Maddie that something's come up...okay, maybe I won't put it like that exactly."

"R.J.!" Alexa giggled.

"I'll be right back," R.J. said grinning at her.

He found his sister and the others seated at the end of the Gryffindor table. "I have some things to go over before the match. I'll catch up to you guys afterwards, okay?"

"Say hi to Alexa for us," Ethan said slyly.

"I have no idea what you're talking about," R.J. said innocently.

"Sure you don't," Saffron rolled her eyes. "I'll see you at the pitch in a little while."

"Remember what I told you about the Ravenclaw seeker," R.J. called out over his shoulder as he left the Great Hall.

Saffron shook her head. "I'm really glad you're all here. I'm not so nervous anymore."

"We wouldn't miss your debut," Hermione said.

"I promise it'll be a good game," Saffron grinned.

"Mum, you and Jules have to keep your eyes open," Ethan said. "I know you hate watching Saffy fly..."

"We'll do our best," Hermione joked.

"I wish Robert could have seen this," Elinore said quietly. "He always did love to watch Saffron fly."

"He's watching Gran," Julie said softly. "I know he'll keep an eye on Saffy while she's up there on her broom."

"He will," Elinore said smiling at her granddaughter.

"I'd better go warm up," Saffron said. "Will you all stick around afterwards for a little while?"

"Of course," Elinore promised. "We'll want to offer you our congratulations, of course."

"Thanks," Saffron hugged her grandmother.

"Good luck sweetheart," Hermione said.

"Thanks Mum," Saffron kissed her on the cheek then mussed her dad's hair. "I'm going to show you up." she teased him.

"Of that I have no doubt," Harry said grinning at her.

"I am worried about her being up there," Hermione said once Saffron had gone.

"She's going to be fine," Harry reassured her.

"I hope so," Julie said. "I have to give Ash and Katie a play by play later."

"I'd love to hear your descriptions," Ethan teased. "You know next to nothing about the game Jules."

"Stuff it Ethan," Julie retorted.

"You don't," Ethan said laughing. "You called a Bludger and I quote a 'really big ball'."

"It is a really big ball," Julie said defensively.

"Yes, but you and Mum have always been after Dad and me for making sure we call things by their proper names," Ethan reminded her.

"How do you put up with him Maddie?" Julie asked.

"Believe it or not, he can be very sweet," Maddie replied.

Julie raised an eyebrow. "Oh really?"

"Yes, but he can be a right devil when he wants to be," Maddie said nudging him.

"And I'm proud of that," Ethan slid his arm around her.

"Madeline and Ethan have both been quite sweet to me," Elinore said grinning at her grandson. "They went round to see me last evening and brought the most fantastic food. And they picked me up today..."

"See," Ethan replied.

Julie laughed. "By the way, a few of my students told me that they think Nick is better looking than you."

Ethan clutched his chest. "Kick a bloke when he's down, why don't you?"

Julie smirked at him. "Just thought I'd let you know."

"It's that whole leather trousers thing," Ethan said. "That's why."

"Mmm..." Maddie's eyes glazed over. "I wonder how you would look in leather trousers Ethan..."

"Get that idea out of your head Maddie Molly," Ethan said. "I'm not buying leather trousers."

"What if I buy them for you?" Maddie asked mischievously, giving him her patented look.

"I won't wear them out in public," he said caving in.

"You are so whipped," Julie chuckled.

"Yeah, don't I know it," Ethan said but he was grinning.

Harry shook his head. "You girls are lucky you have blokes like us," he said.

"I think you got that wrong," Hermione said. "You're the lucky ones."

"You know she's right," Harry winked.

After Saffron left her parents she went to grab her gear from her dorm room. She felt a little nauseous and was glad that she hadn't eaten much. R.J. was holding a team meeting before the match to go over some last minute strategy and she and Imelda, the other girl on the team quickly changed and made their way to their team tent.

"Are you nervous?" Saffron asked her.

"Petrified," Imelda replied. "You?"

"About the same," Saffron smiled ruefully. "I don't think my palms have stopped sweating all morning. And I've got about a million butterflies in my stomach right now."

"RJ said to just pretend like we're just playing a pickup game on the weekend instead of the first match of our school career," Imelda said with a laugh. "Easy for him to say. He thrives on this stuff."

"Tell me about it," Saffron said as they entered the tent.

"Thank you for finally joining us," R.J. said tersely. "Take a seat girls..."

Saffron sat down next to Andrew who smiled warmly at her. “You doing okay, Saf?”

She nodded. “I think so.”

“It’s normal to be nervous with this being your first match,” Andrew told her. “The day of my first match I think I threw up about twenty times…”

Saffron started to laugh but one look at RJ and she knew he had switched to serious captain mode.

"Okay," R.J. said pacing in front of the blackboard where he'd drawn out some plays. "Last year, we defeated the Ravenclaw team, but this year, they're much improved. Their seeker is the best I've seen in my time at Hogwarts. Potter, you really have to keep an eye on not only the Snitch, but on him. He has a habit of playing a little dirty. He's a sneaky little bugger, too."

"Okay," Saffron said, swallowing the lump in her throat.

"This is our first match of the season," R.J. continued. "Some of you might have heard that there are scouts in the stands today, but you can't think about that. And for you newbies, I know your nervous and scared. We all were when we first started, too. But you need to remember that you were chosen for a reason."

"We have the best team at Hogwarts," Andrew agreed enthusiastically.

"Here, here!" the rest of the team chimed in.

R.J. grinned and then gave the team some last minute instructions. Saffron listened intently to every word he had to say. Although she gave him a hard time, Saffron could see why R.J. was captain. He was really, really good at this.

"Are we ready then team?" R.J. asked, pumping his fist.

"Aye!" they all crowed back at him.

"Let's crush 'em!" Andrew called out.

"Right," Saffron felt herself getting into the spirit of things.

The team got their brooms and R.J. led the way toward the pitch. Saffron walked beside him and felt the butterflies in her stomach return as she heard the roar of the crowd.

"You'll be okay Saf," R.J. whispered. "You're good."

"Thanks R.J.," she said as he squeezed her hand and took his place in front of everyone.

"Bring back memories?" Hermione asked her husband who was holding omnioculars and looking for any sight of Saffron.

"Yeah," Harry said wistfully. "Sometimes I get a crazy notion to just drop everything and play Quidditch professionally."

"I get that same notion every now and then too Dad," Ethan said. "Once it's in your blood..."

"It stays there," Harry finished. "I think Saffy will be the one out of all of us to make this her career."

"I don't much about the sport, but I do know Saffy's got something special," Elinore said as Maddie showed her how to use the set of omnioculars. "Thank you Maddie."

"You're welcome Elinore," Maddie smiled at her. "Is that cloak warm enough for you? I put a heating charm on it."

"It is," Elinore said smiling at her. She looked at her grandson. "I'd hold on to her if I were you, Ethan."

"I plan on it Gran," Ethan grinned at his girlfriend.

From her place in the Gryffindor stands, Alexa used her own set of omnioculars to see if she could glimpse her boyfriend or best friend.

"I bet she falls flat on her face," Mimi commented.

Alexa glared at her. "That's a horrible thing to say Mimi."

"I'm not saying I want it to happen Lex," Mimi said quickly. "I'm just saying she was positively green this morning and she barely slept a wink last night."

"And she'll be just fine," Alexa replied, pulling her cloak around her more tightly. "Saffy's the best Quidditch player I know next to R.J.."

"You have to say that," Mimi said shivering. "She's your best friend."

"I would say it anyway," Alexa replied loyally.

The announcer finished announcing the members of the Ravenclaw team and a hush fell over the Gryffindors as they waited for their team to take to the sky.

"The Gryffindors are led by their captain and keeper R.J. Weasley," the announcer said.

Alexa beamed and clapped heartily as her boyfriend flew past her.

"He's so dreamy when he's flying Lex," Beth was saying as the other Gryffindor players rose up above them.

"I can't argue with that," Alexa said softly.

"And new to the team as Seeker," the announcer said. "Saffron Potter!"

Harry got to his feet as did the rest of his family clapping loudly.

"GO SAFFY!" Ethan shouted out.

Saffron heard the shouts of her friends and family and once she got in the air, all her nervousness evaporated. "This is just like any other time," she told herself. "Just focus on the Snitch."

"Welcome to the big time Potter," the Ravenclaw seeker Terrence Jensen said haughtily as he flew up beside her. "Think you can handle it?"

"Think you're good enough to go up against me?" she retorted.

"If you ask me, girls shouldn't play," Jensen shot back. "You should be in the stands cheering us blokes on."

"Ugh," Saffron rolled her eyes. "Why don't you go back to the bloody Dark Ages where you belong?"

"I'll be too busy catching the Snitch," Jensen said with a grin. "Take it easy Potter..." He flew off as the game officially began.

"Jerk," Saffron muttered, bringing her mind back solely to the game. There was no way she was letting R.J. or Gryffindor down by losing to a pompous git like Terrence Jensen.

Hermione covered her eyes as she watched her daughter dodge out of the way of a Bludger.

"Hermione," Harry said, pulling her hands down. "Watch your daughter."

"Is she okay?" Hermione asked her eyes still closed.

"She's fine," Harry said. "Come on Hermione- you can't close or cover your eyes in every match she plays."

"Right," Hermione said. "I just don't want her to get hurt is all..."

"She might get a little banged up, but that tends to happen," Harry said. "Saffy can handle whatever comes her way."

"She's doing so good," Elinore said looking through the omnioculars. "And she has that determined look on her face."

"The Saffron determined look is just like the Maddie adorable look," Ethan nudged his girlfriend.

Maddie laughed. "Is that so?"

"It means she wants something and will do whatever it takes to get it," Ethan replied. "Just like when you give me THAT look."

"Ahh," Maddie grinned. "Imagine if we could combine the two?"

"Don't even think on that," Ethan said. "Especially if you ever plan on seeing me in leather trousers."

"Consider it forgotten," Maddie said. She returned her attention to the pitch just in time to see her brother stop the Ravenclaw team from scoring.

"WAY TO GO R.J.!" she yelled.

Saffron was cheered momentarily by the fact that their team was ahead by thirty points but she quickly focused her attentions on finding the small golden winged ball.

Jensen flew past her once again. "Sitting pretty are you Potter?"

"Sod off," she snorted.

He laughed heartily and Saffron took advantage of his momentary distraction to fly over toward the Gryffindor stands. She had caught sight of something, but she didn't want Jensen to know or follow her.

R.J. was doing his best to keep his eyes on the Quaffle and any Bludgers but he also watched Saffron. She seemed to want to stay out of most of the action, and he hoped she would catch the Snitch soon.

To Saffron's delight what she had spotted was the Snitch and she looked over her shoulder to see Jensen flying in her direction. With that fierce determined look on her face she set off as fast as she could to catch it before Jensen had a chance.

"She's seen it," Ethan said, his eyes wide. "Saffy's going to catch it before that wanker does!"

"Come on Saffy!" Hermione said her eyes wide open as she watched Saffron.

Saffron held on to her broom stick with one hand and reached out for the elusive Snitch with her free hand.

A rustle behind her made her look back and her eyes narrowed as she saw that Jenson was directly on her tail.

"You're not going to get it!" he taunted.

She blocked him out as she reached desperately for it. "Come on..."

Saffron completely flattered herself against the broom and willed it to go faster and just as she thought the snitch would fly from her grasp, she was suddenly clutching onto it tightly.

"YES!" Harry exclaimed giving his wife a hug. "She did it!"

"That's my girl!" Elinore called out clapping enthusiastically.

"You...caught it," Jensen said dejectedly to Saffron as they both landed.

"Yeah," Saffron said. "Told you I would."

"Not bad for a girl eh Jensen?" R.J. asked as he landed beside his friend. Jensen just glared at him before stalking off. R.J. grabbed hold of Saffron. "You are our secret weapon! Nice flying Saf!"

"Thanks R.J.," she laughed as he swept her up in a huge bear hug. "I caught it!"

"You sure did!" R.J. said hugging her tightly. The rest of the team landed and immediately swarmed around Saffron.

Peter was walking through the crowd of Ravenclaws with a wide smile on his face. He nearly knocked over Christina Grant on his way. "What are you smiling about, loser? Our team just lost?"

"Yeah," Peter said. "But my girl just won!"

"Ugh you're dating HER?" Christina's pretty face was twisted into a scowl.

"Yes I am," Peter said proudly. "Now if you'll pardon me..."

"Pete!" Saffron's grin was huge. "I caught the snitch!" she laughed.

Peter hugged her. "I know! I am now the most hated bloke in Ravenclaw because the entire match I was cheering you on! You were amazing!"

Saffron laughed again. "You don't seem too disappointed about your house hating you." she teased.

"I don't care about them," he said beaming at her. "Only you."

"That's so sweet," Saffron said, the crowd around them disappearing.

"And since you did so well," he said putting his hands on her waist.

"Yes?" she asked flirtatiously, her lips already tingling in anticipation.

"You should get a kiss," he said leaning in. "Or two...or three..."

"Or many, many more..." she said as their lips met.

Frankie led the Puddlemere scout, Richard Anderson down to the pitch. He had been quite impressed with R.J.'s play and since she'd told her colleague she knew R.J. personally, he'd asked for her to make a formal introduction. Frankie found him with Alexa near the changing rooms.

"Frankie?" R.J. asked. "I didn't know you were going to be here!"

"Nice game," Frankie said grinning at him. "I'd like you to meet one of our top scouts. Ronald Weasley Junior, this is Richard Anderson of Puddlemere United."

"Oh wow," R.J.'s eyes grew wide as he shook the man's hand.

"Pleasure to meet you, Mr. Weasley," Richard said warmly. "I was quite impressed with your play today."

"You were?" R.J. asked. "That's fantastic- especially because Puddlemere is one of my favourite teams, in fact, it is my favourite team, you've been having a great season and--"

"Take a breath, R.J.," Frankie teased.

"Sorry," R.J. turned red.

"It's okay," Richard said laughing. "You're in your last here at Hogwarts, right?"

"Yes," R.J. said. "And Quidditch is all I ever dreamed of doing after I left school. I've been playing ever since I could walk."

"You're quite good," Richard said. "And I think you'd make an excellent addition to our team. As you know our current keeper is retiring after this season."

R.J. stared at the man, completely speechless.

"We'll be keeping an eye on you," Richard said handing R.J. a business card from his pocket.

"Thank you," R.J. said, star struck.

Frankie grinned at R.J.. "We have to get going. Richard wanted to talk to Professor Dumbledore. Congratulations again, R.J.. If you see Saffron, can you tell her the same?"

"I will," R.J. nodded. "Thanks Frankie. Thank you so much."

"No problem," Frankie said. "Nice to see you too Alexa."

She and R.J. watched as Frankie led Richard back toward the castle. Alexa turned to look at her boyfriend who looked completely gob smacked.

"R.J.," she said giggling. "This is so great!"

"Can you believe that?" he asked, dazed. "Puddlemere wants me!"

"I believe it," she said hugging him. "You were fantastic out there today. Just don't forget us little people when you're the starting Keeper for Puddlemere."

"Never," R.J. finally snapped out of his reverie and whirled her around. "Told you that you're my good luck charm."

Alexa laughed as he spun her around. She couldn't remember a time when she'd felt this happy.

"You're going to have everything you always wanted," she told him when he set her back down.

"As long as I always have you," he said intently.

"You will," she said touching his cheek.

"Promise?" he asked.

"Promise," she said kissing him.

*** *** ***

It was a week after Saffron's first match and Harry and Hermione were enjoying a peaceful evening alone. He was lying on the sofa and she was curled up beside him, reading that day's Daily Prophet.

"Anything good in there?" he asked conversationally.

"Not really," she said as he stroked her hair. "More of the local garbage."

"I noticed you looking at the estate pages," Harry said. "Thinking of getting another place?"

"We can't leave here until I'm out of office," Hermione reminded him.

"I wasn't the one looking at the listings," Harry said. "And the ways things are going, we'll be old and grey by the time you're out of office---or older and greyer."

"I'm not that grey," Hermione said. "Now you on the other hand, I've noticed you've got a bit of silver here and there..." she teased.

"Here and where?" Harry asked.

"At your temples," Hermione said. "And down around your neck."

"Ohhh," he said softly. "Well, let me check around your neck then shall I?"

Hermione laughed as she tossed the paper down. "Be my guest."

Harry nuzzled her neck. "No grey here..."

"Where else might you look?" she murmured.

Harry chuckled. "Don't you tempt me..."

"I'm challenging you Potter," Hermione levelled her gaze at him.

"I never back down from a challenge," he said laying his wife down on the couch.

"So where are you going to check?" Hermione asked with a grin.

"I don't know," he said with a devilish grin as he undid the fly on her jeans. "Here perhaps?"

"Okay," she laughed. "That might be a good place to start."

He slid her jeans off and then pulled her knickers off. "Hmm," he said thoughtfully. "I think I might need a closer look..."

"What are you waiting for?" she purred.

"Not a thing," he said grinning at her.

He kissed her as she fumbled with his jeans and pulled them down, kicking them to the floor along with his shirt and boxers. "Will you look at that," Hermione murmured. "No other silver hair..."

"Not bad for an old man then?" he asked positioning himself down on top of his wife.

"You're hardly old," Hermione said, running her hands along his bare back. "You look the same as you always did to me. Completely... utterly... devastatingly... handsome..."

"And you are still the most beautiful woman in the world to me," he said pressing into her. "I can never get enough of you, Hermione."

"That goes double for me you know," Hermione said, arching herself up so she could pull him in deeper.

"Does it now?" Harry asked before hungrily kissing her.

"Mmmhmm..." Hermione didn't think she was capable of speaking at that moment.

Harry was glad they'd given the housekeeping staff the night off. He called out his wife's name as she dug her heels into his arse.

"Harry," she panted. "Why is it we always seem to find ourselves like this when we're alone?"

"Because you can't keep your hands off me," he replied. "And vice versa."

"Yes," she gasped. "That's it..."

"Right here," Harry grunted. "Hermione..."

She was glad she didn't have to muffle her cries as she released, Harry collapsing on top of her.

"Now I'm good and knackered," he said softly.

Hermione traced over his scar as he pulled a light blanket over them. "I do love you so much," she sighed, closing her eyes.

"I love you," he said lightly kissing her before closing his own eyes. "Hermione?"

"Hmm?" she asked a bit drowsily.

"How did we get from talking about getting another house to this?" he asked with a tired laugh.

"Because we're rabbits?" she answered.

"That must be it," he said.

"Sometimes, on nights like this... I feel like this place is too big for us," Hermione opened her eyes again. "I miss the cosy feeling of our cottage. I wish there was some way we could have hung onto that place."

"How many nights did we spend in the cottage just like this?" he asked softly.

"Too many to recall," Hermione smiled. "But I loved every moment of them."

"It was our special place," he said kissing the top of Hermione's head. "Where we brought Julie home for the first time and Ethan..."

"Saffy would love the cottage too," Hermione snuggled closer to him.

"She would," Harry agreed. "But this is the only place she's ever known as home."

"I can see her moving out when she's done at Hogwarts," Hermione mused.

"I don't even want to think about that," Harry said. "It's been hard seeing each of them move out on their own, but she's the baby..."

"I know," Hermione said sadly. "I remember when Julie moved out..." she laughed. "I remember the first day we brought her home from the hospital too..."

***

"Keep her eyes closed," Harry said as he fumbled in his jeans pocket for the keys.

"I don't think that will be a problem," Hermione said looking down at the sleeping baby in her arms. She watched in amusement as Harry fumbled with his keys.

"Nervous?" she teased.

"It's her first day home," Harry said cursing as he dropped his keys. "Daddy didn't mean that Julie!"

Hermione laughed. "I really don't think she'll remember this."

Harry finally opened the door. "I probably could have used my wand, eh? Thanks for not pointing that out..."

"You're too cute when you're fumbling," Hermione giggled. "I couldn't resist."

"Okay," Harry said standing back so his wife could enter with their daughter. "Welcome Home, Julie Liliane."

Hermione carried their new daughter through the door. "Welcome home gorgeous," she said softly, setting the carrier on the table as Harry shut the door behind them. He came up beside her and they just looked at little Julie for a few moments. "Can you believe we're parents?" Hermione asked, tears shining in her eyes.

"Not really," he whispered. "She's perfect, Hermione. Absolutely perfect."

"She certainly is," Hermione agreed. "I could sit right here and just look at her forever."

"She has your nose," Harry said. "And hair..."

"And your eyes," Hermione said. "I'm so glad she has your eyes Harry."

"Well at least we know she's mine," he joked earning an elbow in his ribs. "Sorry. Pathetic use of humour."

"You're forgiven," Hermione leaned against him. "I'm so happy right now Harry..."

"Me too," he said resting his chin on her shoulder. Julie opened her eyes and looked up at her parents.

"Hey baby," Harry said softly. "Welcome home."

Hermione smiled through her tears. "I can't get over this," she said, lifting Julie out of the carrier. "I can't get over how beautiful she is."

"She's gorgeous just like her Mummy," Harry said. "How about we show Madam Julie her nursery?"

"That sounds like a great idea," Hermione said as Harry put the carrier on the floor.

"Right this way my girls," Harry said leading the way.

Hermione followed him into the sunny yellow nursery. "I love what you and my dad did in here," she said dreamily. "It's the most perfect room I've ever seen."

"You did keep barking orders at us from the bedroom," he teased.

"And that's why it's perfect," Hermione retorted with a grin.

"What do you think of your new room Jules?" Harry asked his baby daughter.

Julie stared up at them and made a cooing sound deep in her throat.

"I think we can take that as a yes," Harry said grinning down at her. "Your Grandpa and I worked very hard on this room to make it perfect for you sweetheart."

Julie blinked and yawned, making her parents laugh.

"Your Daddy isn't usually this boring," he told her.

"I can vouch for that," Hermione giggled. "But you'll never want to hear any of those stories."

Harry laughed. "And you see those little stuffed bunnies over there? Those are a gift from your demented Uncle Ron and Aunt Luna."

Hermione laughed again. "I think our little one wants to go back to sleep..."

"I think you're right," Harry said as Julie closed her eyes.

Hermione laid her carefully in the brand new white crib that had been a gift from Robert and Elinore. "I don't want to leave though," she whispered.

Harry moved the rocking chair closer to the crib so Hermione could sit. "Here you are love."

"You're staying too right?" she asked.

"Of course," he said. "I'm just going to grab that extra chair from the bedroom. Be right back."

“Okay,” Hermione whispered, her eyes already back on the tiny girl fast asleep in the crib.

Harry returned a few seconds later carrying Hermione's old chair from the bedroom. He gingerly set it down beside his wife and sat down. Neither of them said anything for quite some time as they just watched Julie sleep.

"We're really a family now," Hermione whispered some time later. "The three of us..."

"You, me and baby makes three," Harry joked.

Hermione laughed softly. "It just amazes me to look at her and to think that she's totally dependent on us, you know?"

"I know," Harry said. "Now I really feel like a grownup."

"So us having our own place and jobs, a wedding and every day duties wasn't enough?" she teased, reaching for his hand.

He laughed and squeezed her hand. "No, not until I saw that little one for the first time. It hit me. That little girl is going to look for us to keep her warm; to keep her safe. I'm terrified and excited and happy all at the same time..."

"What was your immediate thought when you first saw her?" Hermione asked, tearing her gaze away from Julie, who was smacking her lips in her sleep.

Harry looked thoughtfully at their daughter. "I just thought she was perfect and she was a little bit of you and a little bit of me and she was ours."

"Something we made," Hermione agreed.

"And I don't want her to grow up like I did," he said quietly.

"That'll be impossible," Hermione said. "She's going to grow up so loved."

"That she will," Harry said leaning over and kissing his wife. "Thank you."

"What are you thanking me for?" she asked, smoothing down his messy hair. "You're as responsible for her as I am."

"I wouldn't have a family if it weren't for you," he said grinning at her.

Hermione grinned back. "Well if it weren't for you, I wouldn't have a family either. You completely changed my outlook on a lot of things Potter."

"Such as?" he asked.

"I never thought I'd get married," Hermione explained. "Not for a long while yet. And I never thought anyone like you would look at me twice. You made me feel a lot more confident in myself and my abilities."

"You're amazing Hermione," he said. "Some bloke would have realised it before too long. I'm just glad I got there first."

"Me too," she whispered, looking into his green eyes. "Now I've got the best husband in the world, and the most beautiful daughter as well."

Harry smiled at her and then leaned in for another kiss.

***

"Well at least that much hasn't changed," Hermione said. "You're still the best husband in the world, but now we have the two most beautiful daughters, the most handsome son, and two gorgeous granddaughters to top it off."

"Life isn't so bad, is it?" he asked softly.

"No," she said, closing her eyes again. "Not as long as I have you Harry."

"And as long as I have you," he said holding her close as they both drifted off to sleep.

75. Chapter 75

A/N: Happy Valentines Day everyone!!! Thank you all for your reviews last chapter – we even had an anonymous amusing flame that everyone should check out ;) We hope you enjoy this chapter- thanks to ProngsHoof you guys get a little extra scene that we jotted off before we updated this evening.

As always, please let us know what you think! Thanks!!!

Julie dusted the floo powder from her shoulders and called out for her daughters.

"Mummy, you're back!" Katie shouted excitedly.

"How did she do?" Greta asked. "She did fantastic, didn't she?"

"She won the game," Julie announced proudly.

"That's my girl!" Greta said pumping her fist. "I am going to send her some of those chocolate biscuits she loves so much."

"She'll be thrilled," Julie said with a grin as Nick came into the room.

"She did good, eh?" Nick asked.

"She won," Julie said, kissing him hello. "Everyone played brilliantly- and Frankie brought some scouts to check out RJ as well."

"I still think we should have been able to go," Katie pouted.

"Maybe next time," Julie said.

"You can at least tell us exactly what happened," Ashley sat down on the sofa. "Please Mummy?"

"Well," Julie said sitting down. "She was really nervous. But being as she's Saffy, she tried to act as if she wasn't..."

"Tell us what happened during the game," Nick said, smirking a bit. He knew his wife had absolutely no idea about Quidditch and wanted to hear how she would explain the game.

"Mum was freaking out," Julie said laughing. "She kept her eyes covered for the first part of the match. And then, they threw the big ball up in the air...what's it called....the waffle?"

Ashley snickered. "Mum! It's the Quaffle!"

"Right," Julie replied. "And the Ravenclaw team was pretty good, but Gryffindor was better. They were hitting those other ones, the really bad ones around... um... not bladder..."

"Jules," Nick snorted with laughter. "Bludger."

"Whatever," Julie said dismissively. "Anyway, it was pretty touch and go for most of the match, but then Saffy swooped in and she got the Snitch...I know that one. Mainly because Dad kept screaming it in my ear."

Ashley, Katie, Nick and Greta all laughed. "I knew she would get it," Katie said. "Aunt Saffy's the bestest!"

"She's the best," Ashley corrected. "You know you really have atrocious grammar, Katherine Rose."

"At least I have friends Ashley Beth," Katie retorted. "I don't just sit in my room and scribble all day long!"

"I'd rather sit in my room scribbling than play with you," Ashley said rolling her eyes. "Mum, can we please trade her in and get a dog?"

"Stop girls," Julie said. "It'd be really nice to come home and not have the two of you arguing for a change."

"I'm going to go draw something to put in the care package to Aunt Saffy," Ashley said glaring at her younger sister.

Greta took Katie into the kitchen to help make the biscuits leaving Nick and Julie alone.

"Your sister must be on cloud nine, winning her first match and all," Nick said, rubbing Julie's shoulders.

"She was," Julie said closing her eyes. "How did you know this was just what I needed?"

"I always know what you need," Nick replied.

Julie smiled. "Yes you do. How about you? Did you get any work done on writing those songs?"

"A little," Nick replied. "As usual, our two girls decided they couldn't get along for an hour so I could work in peace and quiet..."

"I'll try and keep them out of your hair this weekend," Julie promised. "I know your agent's holding you to that deadline."

"Thanks Jules," Nick kissed his wife. "You're still my biggest inspiration you know."

"Even after all this time?" Julie said smiling at him.

"Definitely," Nick kissed her again. "You know, I like thinking of the first day I ever saw you. I was in the limousine, arriving at Hillsdale with my mother, and I saw you standing on the path with Ethan. All I could think about until I saw you was how rotten of a time I was going to have there."

"And I thought you were an egotistical, arrogant, selfish, spoiled..." Julie started to say.

"Until you got to know me," Nick gave her a mischievous grin.

"Well, you were quite charming," Julie said nudging him.

"Especially once you got used to snogging me," Nick pushed his hair out of his eyes.

"And you didn't hold the fact that I slapped you against me," Julie said.

"Nah, I was way too hooked," Nick pulled her closer. "There was something about you that just got me going."

"Really," Julie said smiling up at him. "What was that?"

"Maybe because you made me pursue you," Nick said thoughtfully. "You weren't star struck like almost every other girl I met."

"And you weren't the egomaniac I thought you were," Julie said resting her head on his chest.

Nick kissed the top of her head. "I'm so glad you're home," he said.

"Me too," Julie said relaxing against him. "Nick, it was such a nice day today. And Gran seemed like her self again. She didn't really know much about what was going on, but she was so happy for Saffy."

"I'm glad to hear that," Nick said. "I was thinking we could have her over soon for Malfoy Pizza."

"She'd love that," Julie said smiling at him. "And I think the girls would love that too."

Nick kissed his wife again. "I've missed you a lot lately Jules. I feel like I never see you these days."

"I'm sorry," Julie said softly. "I just really want to prove myself. Snape is such an arse, Nick. He makes smart remarks all the time about me being able to come home and right before I think of telling him off, I remember that I'm a mature professor and I should ignore him."

"I wish I could meet this Snape character," Nick replied. "I'd tell him a thing or two..."

"He was really close to your dad and your grandfather," Julie said.

"Why doesn't that surprise me?" Nick rolled his eyes. "Enough talk about that."

"Yeah sorry for bringing up those three," Julie said giving him a kiss.

"It's all right," Nick kept her lips pressed to his. "Perhaps this weekend we can go out for dinner, just you and me."

"And dancing?" Julie said eagerly. "Please? We haven't done that in ages..."

"It's a date," Nick promised.

"Yes," Julie said gleefully. "I'll have to find the perfect dress..."

"You have a closet full," Nick pointed out.

"That you've already seen me in," Julie said. "I want something new. I'll see if Chi wants to go shopping with me tomorrow afternoon."

Nick hugged her close as Ashley came back into the room. "Mum have you seen my new pencils? I left them on my dresser this morning and now they're not there."

Julie shook her head. "No, sweetheart."

"Katie!" Ashley yelled over her shoulder.

"You don't know that she took them, Ashley," Julie said quietly.

"She probably hid them," Ashley said angrily. "Just to make me mad!"

"What?" Katie impatiently asked, coming into the sitting room. She was wearing one of Greta's aprons.

"You took my new pencils!" Ashley snapped at her before Katie could say anything else.

"No I didn't," Katie said defensively. "I didn't touch your stupid pencils."

"You're such a liar," Ashley retorted.

"Girls," Julie said getting between them. "Ashley, if your sister says she didn't take them..."

"I promise I didn't," Katie said.

"Come on, Ash," Nick said standing up. "Let's go 'Accio' your pencils."

"They better not come from your room, Katie!" Ashley said glaring at her before following her father out of the room.

"I didn't take them, Mummy," Katie said innocently. "I promise."

"I believe you sweetheart," Julie said. "You wouldn't lie to us about that."

Katie beamed at her mother and gave her a hug. "I'm glad you're home. I missed you."

"I missed you too," Julie kissed the top of her daughter's head.

"Aunt Saffy's going to love the biscuits," Katie said. "Greta told me I was the bestest helper."

"You are," Julie replied. "Especially when she lets you lick the spoon."

"She said that Aunt Saffy used to help when she was my age," Katie said giggling. "But I can't imagine Aunt Saffy being little."

"You remind me of her," Julie said.

"I do?" Katie asked.

Julie nodded. "You have the same hair colour and eyes as she does. And you're headstrong just like she is too."

Katie grinned. "But I can't play Quidditch as good as she can."

"If you practise you will," Julie said. "You'd better get back to help Greta."

"Okay," Katie said. "You want to help too?"

"Maybe in a bit," Julie said. "I'd like to go in and change clothes first."

"Don't be long," Katie said. "We're going to put them in the oven soon!"

"All right," Julie smiled. "I'll be there in a few minutes."

"Okay," Katie said giving her mother a kiss on the cheek before running into the kitchen.

Upstairs, Nick handed over the pack of pencils to his oldest daughter.

"How did they get in the loo?" Ashley asked.

"Why don't you tell me Ash?" Nick teased.

"I don't know," Ashley said staring quizzically at them. "I swear they were on my dresser this morning. And I didn't move them, Dad. I swear!"

"I don't think it was your sister," Nick told her.

"It would be the first time she didn't do something," Ashley said grumpily. "Dad, she's always using my stuff without asking..."

"Cut your sister some slack," Nick told his oldest daughter. "I know it's hard for you both to get along, but once in awhile just be the mature one and don't go accusing her of things without proof all right?"

"You don't understand," Ashley tried to protest. "You were an only child...”

"I know that, but I'm also a parent," Nick said. "And being as how you're the older one, sometimes your mum and I hope that you'll try to get along with Katie instead of fighting all the time."

"She doesn't make it easy," Ashley said. "She's always talking about me not having friends. I'd never admit this to her, but it hurts when she says that, Dad."

"I know it does," Nick hugged her. "It doesn't matter to us that you're not as outgoing as her. We love both of you just the way you are. You have all the friends you want to have."

"Thanks, Dad," Ashley said. She set her pencils down on her bed. "Did you get to work on your songs earlier?"

"A little bit," Nick replied. "I'll get it done later."

"I love listening to you play the piano," Ashley said.

"Well how about I give you a little private concert right now?" Nick offered with a grin.

"Really?" Ashley asked excitedly.

"Sure," Nick held out his hand. "Mademoiselle?"

Ashley giggled as she took her father's hand. "This is going to be great."

*** *** ***

Maddie spent most of the night going over some case notes and nibbling on pretzels. Ethan was working late again and had already owled her to let her know he didn't know when he'd be home and that she shouldn't wait up.

It seemed that they were spending more and more time apart lately. Maddie understood or at least tried to. He couldn't tell her much about his case, but he had mentioned that they were close to making a break.

She was really knackered and knew she should probably just get up and get ready for bed, but she didn't have the energy to move. She leaned back on the sofa and closed her eyes.

She was almost asleep when a vision broke apart before her eyes. Maddie strained to see, normally her visions were quite clear but this one was foggy, hazy. The haze almost seemed to represent a feeling of despair as she fought waves of sadness that were washing over her.

"....don't trust me," she heard someone say. "...what more do we have..."

She'd know that voice anywhere. It was Ethan. But she couldn't see him.

Maddie heard another voice, at first she couldn't hear it properly but then the realisation hit her like icy cold water. It was her- and she was telling him to leave.

"...don't want to stay if you don't trust me," Ethan said angrily.

"How can I?" Maddie heard her voice, laden with tears. "Ethan I saw it with my own two eyes!"

"You think I'd do that?" he asked icily. "You really think I'd do that?" She had never before heard him sound so angry. But what was he so angry about?

Maddie heard something fall onto the floor.

"That's yours," Ethan's voice said. "I gave that ring to you..."

She slapped her hands over her mouth in horror. Her ring? She was taking off her ring?

"It was a promise ring," she heard herself say. "And you broke every promise you ever made to me."

"I did not!" Ethan said angrily. "I’ve told you what happened--"

Maddie felt tears running down her cheeks as she heard herself say in a final, determined tone to Ethan, "I don't ever want to see you again."

She could feel his angry stare. "If that's the way you feel..." he sounded choked up as well and Maddie wanted to hold onto him to keep him from leaving. What could he possibly have done?

She awoke with a start. Immediately, she looked at her right hand and was relieved to see the promise ring still on her finger.

"Ethan," Maddie whispered.

She didn't know how long she sat there on the sofa staring straight ahead. Ethan's words echoing in her head. All of her visions so far had come true. But this...this couldn't possible be....

"Maybe it's not real," Maddie said. "Maybe it was only a dream..." she had to go back to her office and see if Smythe was still there. Maybe her mentor could help her make some sense of what had just happened.

She Apparated to the Ministry and then took the lift down to the department.

Part of her wanted desperately to go find Ethan and have him hold and comfort her, and tell her he'd never do anything to make her not trust him.

Jared was thumbing through that day's Daily Prophet when he heard the door open. He was working the late shift since Smythe had been called away on an emergency. When he saw who was here, he couldn't believe the gift that had just been dropped in his lap.

"Maddie?" he asked coming forward. "What are you doing back?"

"Oh," she jumped. "Jared- what are you doing here? I thought you went home hours ago..." she kept her head averted, not wanting him to see her red eyes.

"Smythe had an emergency," he replied. "It's my week to be on call, remember?"

"Right," Maddie said softly. "I'm sorry to bother you. I just needed something in my office..."

He knew right away that something was off with her. She wasn't her usual bright, cheerful self and she looked preoccupied and distant. "You're not bothering me. I was desperate for company."

"I wish I could stay," Maddie said. "I'm sorry Jared- I'm just not having a very good night..."

"Maddie..." he said gently putting a hand on her arm. "Did something happen?"

"No," she answered quickly, pulling away to root through her desk for a book she thought might help her.

"Maddie..." he said.

"Nothing's wrong!" she snapped at him.

He recoiled and stared at her with a hurt look on his face.

"Oh God Jared," her face crumpled. "I am so sorry. I didn't mean to sound so harsh."

"It's okay," he said softly. "I only want to help Maddie. I can tell something's wrong."

"It's nothing," she lied. "Just a dream is all..."

"A dream or a vision?" he asked.

"I hope it was a dream," Maddie said softly, still digging through her desk.

Jared wondered if it was about Ethan. He could only hope that it was. He was becoming very impatient. With each passing day, he wanted Maddie more and more.

"I know you don't want to talk about it," he said instead. "But you've done so much for me since I started here and I'd like to be here for you."

"I appreciate it," Maddie said, wondering if she should tell him.

But she couldn't bear the thought of voicing that awful vision or dream to anyone. It would make it seem more real. She found the book she was looking for and turned back around to face her friend. "I'm just going to go home," she said quietly.

"Are you sure?" he asked. If he wasn't the only one working he could make sure she got home safely. He could also provide the comfort she so obviously needed.

She nodded. "I'm just hoping Ethan will be back soon. He's usually the only one who truly understands this... and it's not that you don't. Ethan just understands me in a way that not many other people can."

Jared nodded and tried to hide his disappointment. "That offer still stands," he said giving her a hug. "If you need to talk, I'm here."

"Thank you Jared," Maddie forced a smile onto her face. "You're a good friend."

Jared wanted to tell her he could be so much more if she'd just give up the do-gooder boyfriend. He settled for walking her out of the department. She clutched onto her book, but to his delight pecked him on the cheek before leaving.

He spent the next couple of hours basically thinking of Maddie and what he wanted to do with her. Smythe arrived back and asked him to take something up to Auror Headquarters.

Eager for a change of scenery, he grabbed the package and set off for headquarters.

Justin, Ethan and Bree were in one of the interrogation rooms basically going stir crazy. Justin volunteered to go on a food run and Bree and Ethan were currently having a heart-to-heart talk.

Bree confessed to Ethan how she and Mason hadn't slept together yet.

"He wants to, but I'm not so sure," she confided. "I really fancy him, Ethan, but I'm not sure. Does that make any sense?"

At the sound of those familiar voices, Jared froze just outside the door.

"That's really up to you," Ethan told her. "I mean... I'm rather in the same boat with Mads. She told me she wants to wait until she's married."

Jared hadn't known this and he leaned against the wall careful not to make a move or a sound.

"That can't be very easy on either of you," Bree said thoughtfully. "I mean you're living together."

"I'd never admit it to her but it's a lot harder than I thought it would be," Ethan said. "Just to be around her all the time and never really touch her or anything. We've taken a few steps closer since we were in Brighton; we actually had a big argument over it when she first got there."

"But you worked things out right?" Bree asked. "I mean you two looked so in love the other night..."

"Lately things couldn't be better," Ethan replied. "I mean, I'd love for us to break this case so I can finally spend more time with her, but she knows that this is what we have to do. It's the same way with her being a Seer."

"I know what you mean," Bree said. "Mason's the same way. He thinks I work too much. I don't know. I guess I'm just scared that he might not stay and the only..." her voice trailed off and she blushed.

"He'd be completely mad to want to give you up Bree," Ethan told her.

"Thanks," she said smiling at him. "I was going to say that the only person I ever wanted to do that with...was you. And we nearly did so many times..."

"I know," he said. "You were... you were very good Bree..." Ethan laughed self consciously. "Who'd have thought you and me would be sitting here talking about what we did or almost did while we were dating?"

"Not me," Bree said laughing. "I'm glad to have you back in my life though. I've missed your friendship Ethan."

"I missed you too," he said honestly.

They held each other's gaze for quite some time before Bree finally spoke. "You were the only bloke who was able to distract me from studying...."

"And get you out dancing once in a blue moon?" he teased.

Bree laughed. "We had some good times, didn't we?"

"We did," Ethan agreed. "We definitely did..."

Jared heard the lift ping open and he quickly ducked behind a door as Ethan's friend Justin breezed past him carrying a paper bag.

"Okay," Justin said. "I got cheeseburgers and chips for Ethan and me and the big chef salad for Miss Bree..."

"With extra cheese?" Bree asked.

"Extra cheese for the Bree," Justin teased her.

Bree crumpled up a piece of paper and threw it at him. "That was terrible..."

"She's right," Ethan said. "That was pretty bad..."

"I'm working on an empty stomach here," Justin said defensively.

"Awwww poor baby," Bree said in a baby voice. "Do you want me to feed you sweetie pie, honey bunch...."

Ethan laughed heartily at that. "You sound just like Sarah," he snorted.

"We're not that bad," Justin said defensively handing Ethan his cheeseburger and chips.

"I wish Mads was here," Ethan said. "Half my burger would probably be gone already though..."

Jared listened for a few more minutes. A plan was already forming in his head. Ethan and Maddie weren't shagging. From what Bree had said to Ethan, it was obvious she still harboured feelings for her ex. It would take a little work on his part, but Maddie was definitely worth it.

*** *** ***

"Grandpa," Caroline began. "I promise the Magic Mud doesn't hurt when I put it on... and it makes you beautiful!"

"Byooful," Emma chimed in tugging on Ron's leg.

"I'm sure Grandma would love for you to give her a makeover," Ron said.

"Grandma's already beautiful," Caroline said. "She doesn't need Magic Mud."

"Thank you darling," Luna swept Caroline up. "And I think your grandfather definitely needs some work done."

"I'm sitting right here!" Ron said outraged. "And I happen to think I'm rather hot actually."

Caroline began to laugh. "You're just silly and old Grandpa."

Ron clutched his heart. "Caroline!"

Emma toddled over to him and held her hands up. "Hold! Hold!"

"Emma, darling..." Ron picked her up. "Do you think your old Grandpa is handsome?"

Emma looked quizzically at him and patted his cheeks with her chubby hands.

"Handsome," Ron prompted her.

"Hasum," Emma repeated.

"That's right baby," Ron gave his granddaughter a kiss on the cheek.

"I like staying with you and Grandpa," Caroline said putting her arms around Luna's neck. "Grandpa said he was going to set up a tent for me and Em."

"He did?" Luna asked. "That sounds like a lot of fun. If you two girls are good like I know you always are, you can even sleep in there!"

"Will you sleep in there with us?" Caroline asked.

"I doubt there will be room angel," Luna told her.

"Oh," Caroline said. "Well can we leave the lights on? Em's scared of the dark."

Luna knew that it was Caroline who was actually scared of the dark, but she didn't call her granddaughter on it. "We can leave the lights on for you."

"Good," Caroline said happily. "You know for Em..."

"Right," Ron grinned. "For my little Emma here."

"Eat!" Emma clapped her hands together. "Emma eat!"

"This is a girl after my own heart," Ron said picking her up. "Let's go see what we can find..."

Caroline sat back down with her beauty supplies and started setting them out. Whether her Grandpa liked it or not, he was going to get a makeover.

"Your mummy told me that you were doing great in school," Luna said sitting down with her.

"I love school," Caroline agreed happily. "I learned to count up to a hundred and twelve!"

"My smart girl," Luna said pulling on one of the little girl's ponytails.

"Thank you Grandma," Caroline beamed. "I miss Aunt Maddie. I wanted to play beauty salon with her this weekend."

"I know," Luna said softly. She was more than a little worried about Maddie.

"I didn't get to see her since two months ago," Caroline said.

"She's really busy," Luna said. "I'm sure she misses you just as much as you miss her."

"Mummy told me maybe Aunt Maddie can play in a week," Caroline continued.

"I hope so," Luna said helping Caroline lay out the rest of her toys. She didn't want to make any promises for Maddie. Her daughter visited last week very briefly and seemed like she had a lot on her mind.

"Can I brush your hair Grandma?" Caroline asked.

Luna smiled at her. "I would love for you to brush my hair."

"I do a really good job," Caroline said. "Mummy sometimes lets me do her hair and she told me soon as Emma's more grown up, I can do hers too."

"I'm sure Emma will love that," Luna said. She noticed it was unusually quiet in the kitchen. "Ronald? What are you and Emma doing?"

"Uh..." Ron said. "Eating?"

With Ron's attention diverted, Emma stuck her hand into the bowl of ice cream. "Yum!"

"Ems!" Ron said. "No, no!"

Emma laughed and pulled her hand out of the bowl and reached out for Ron's face.

Ron began to laugh as his granddaughter smeared chocolate over his chin. "You're a naughty little baby," he chortled.

"Bad?" she asked giving him a toothy grin.

She reminded him so much of Drew and Darla when they were that age.

"Nah," Ron grinned. "Not my little Emma..."

"Eat," Emma whispered. "Eat..."

"All right we'll eat," Ron chuckled, grabbing a spoon. "Ice cream baby?"

Emma nodded and giggled as Ron dug into the bowl and scooped out a little bite for her. "Open up, Em."

"Eat!" Emma screeched happily.

"You are such a Weasley!" he said grinning at her.

Emma grinned back, ice cream oozing out the corner of her mouth.

In the sitting room, Caroline was trying to plait Luna's hair.

"Did I tell you what I'm going to dress up for Halloween?" Caroline asked.

"What might that be sweetheart?" Luna winced as her granddaughter pulled on her hair accidentally.

"Sorry Grandma," Caroline said patting her head. "I'm going to be...Jasmine from Aladdin and Em is going to be Ariel from The Little Mermaid. Nana Molly made our costumes."

"Oh that sounds quite lovely," Luna said. "You both will make beautiful princesses!"

"Katie was going to be Tinkerbell," Caroline said. "But Ashley called her Stinkerbell and she changed her mind."

Luna pressed her lips together to keep from laughing. "What are they planning on dressing up as?" she asked as Caroline tied her plaits at the end.

"Katie's going to be a ballerina," Caroline replied. "And Ashley is going to be Dorothy."

"Dorothy?" Luna asked.

"From the movie," Caroline said. "Come on Grandma! You know the one with the nice witch and the mean witch and the lion!"

"Oh of course," Luna nodded. "That... one..."

"Did Daddy ever dress up for Halloween when he was little?" Caroline asked.

"Not really Angel," Luna replied. "We never celebrated Halloween much."

"Really?" Caroline asked frowning. "Why?"

"We just never did," Luna answered. "And then they were away at school."

"That's so sad!" Caroline said in a hushed voice.

Luna laughed. "Now how about I do your hair before we get your grandpa in here for his makeover?"

"Okay," Caroline said changing places with her grandmother.

"THAT'S MY BOY!" Luna and Caroline heard Ron shout from the kitchen.

"Ronald?" Luna called out. "What on earth..."

"Er..." Ron said as his wife appeared in the doorway.

Luna looked at her husband and her youngest granddaughter whose face was smeared with ice cream and chocolate sauce. Ron was holding a letter in his hands.

"R.J.," Ron said handing her the sticky letter. "That scout from Puddlemere came to see him play again!"

"What are you doing with all that ice cream?" Luna scolded him, taking the letter.

"Mess!" Emma said holding up a sticky hand.

"That's right baby," Luna set the letter down and took a damp rag. "Very, very messy!"

"Lu!" Emma said giggling as Luna wiped off the chocolate from her face.

"My boy is going to be the next keeper for Puddlemere Luna," Ron said proudly.

"He'll do a wonderful job," Luna commented, trying to clean a wiggly Emma.

"Grandpa," Caroline said from the doorway. "Ewww....you're all messy!"

"It's your sister's fault," Ron said, grabbing another rag and wiping his chin off.

"I'm sure it was her idea to get the enormous bowl," Luna said shaking her head.

"Completely," Ron made a goofy face and scooped Caroline up. "I may just let you make me over after all my little angel!"

"You smell like chocolate," Caroline said giggling.

"I bet a little Magic Mud will take care of that," Ron tickled her.

"I'll write R.J. back once I get this one down for a kip," Luna said. "I'll tell him how proud we are."

"Proud?" Ron asked. "Tell him we're fu-"

"Ronald!" Luna chastised.

"Having fun celebrating," Ron covered hastily.

"Good save," Luna said laughing. "Emma, what do you think of your Grandpa?"

"Eat!" Emma cried out. "Gamma Lu!"

Luna rested her forehead on Emma’s. "You just ate baby girl."

Emma grabbed around Luna's neck and hugged her.

"Gamma Lu loves Emma," Luna said hugging her back.

"Come on Grandpa!" Caroline said excitedly. "It's time for your makeover!"

"Okay," he said. "But no plaits. No makeup and no nail paint or whatever that stuff is...those are the ground rules!"

"Your hair isn't long enough to plait," Caroline told him. "And I didn't bring any nail polish!"

"Thank Merlin for small miracles," Ron said relieved.

"We'll start with some Magic Mud," Caroline explained.

"Start with?" Ron asked apprehensively.

"I have my work cut out for me," Caroline said seriously. She'd heard her father say that every time her mother asked him to mow the lawn.

"Do you now?" Ron asked. "Am I a lost cause then?"

Caroline shook her head. "I can work with anything."

"Where do you get this stuff?" Ron asked as he set her down on the sofa.

"Mummy," Caroline replied.

"And when does she say stuff like that?" Ron asked sitting down on the carpet.

"When Daddy won't do what she tells him," Caroline said innocently.

Ron stifled a laugh. "Well, I'm putty in your hands Caroline. Make me handsome!"

"You're already pretty handsome," Caroline began to dab her mud on her grandfather's face.

"Stunningly handsome?" Ron asked in a dramatic voice.

"Maybe," Caroline said. "Aunt Frankie says Uncle Will is stunningly handsome." she stumbled over the last words a bit.

"You like your Uncle Will?" Ron asked wincing as he saw Caroline dip deep into the tin of mud and cake some on his forehead.

"He's fun," Caroline answered, her cheeks turning a bit pink. "He calls me and Emma 'princess' all the time."

"I don't know him very well, but your other Grandpa seems to think he's a good bloke," Ron said. "And anyone who thinks my girls are princesses is okay with me."

"Grandpa Neville says he's the best for Aunt Frankie," Caroline recited.

Ron chuckled. "Sweetheart, don't you think that's enough...."

"Maybe now it is," Caroline decided. "It has to sit on while I do your wax."

Ron froze. "I beg your pardon? Wax?"

"Your legs Grandpa," Caroline replied. "They're very hairy."

"Boys are supposed to have hair on their legs," Ron told her. "And I'm not that hairy, Caroline."

Luna carried Emma back into the sitting room.

"Luna," Ron said pleadingly to his wife. "Tell Caroline I don't need any wax."

"Oh I don't know," Luna teased. "It might be nice to see your legs all nice and smooth Ronald."

"Oh no you don't," Ron said shaking his head. "I will let you put this wonky mud on my face, but I will not and will never agree to wax."

"Grandpa!" Caroline pushed her lower lip out. "You said you would do everything but nail polish!"

"That was before I knew there was wax involved," Ron said feeling himself crumble under Caroline's sweet, pouting gaze. "Have you been taking lessons from your Aunt Maddie?"

"Maybe," Caroline giggled. "Grandpa I'll tell you a secret. It's not real wax." she showed him the mound of clay. "Remember? This is pretend beauty shop!"

"Oh," Ron said sheepishly. "That's different then."

"Like Allie and Jon would let Caroline have hot wax, Ronald," Luna said laughing.

"Mummy?" Emma asked looking around at the sound of her mother's name.

"No sweetheart," Luna stroked back Emma's curls. "Mummy and Daddy are on a little holiday together."

Emma's lower lip began to tremble and she buried her face in Luna's shoulder.

Luna kissed the side of her head. "It's okay baby," she said soothingly.

Caroline went to Emma's side. "Mummy and Daddy will be back really soon, Em. And we get to have a sleepover with Grandma Lu and Grandpa."

"Gamma Lu," Emma repeated.

"And I'll be here to keep you safe," Caroline said patting her sister's back. Luna winced a bit as Caroline's hand was still covered in the Magic Mud.

Ron grinned. "Oops," he said, knowing what his wife was biting her lip about.

Emma turned and wrapped her arms around her sister's neck. "Sissy."

"I'm here Em," Caroline said. "I won't leave you I promise."

"That's the sweetest thing I've ever seen," Ron said grinning at his two granddaughters.

"Aye," Luna agreed as Caroline patted her little sister's back again. "You are such a good big sister Caroline."

Caroline beamed at her. "Thanks Grandma. You're a good Grandma too."

"Thank you darling," Luna smiled at her.

Ron opened his mouth to say something, but found he couldn't. The mud on his face had hardened and he couldn't move his lips.

"Mmmm..." he mumbled.

"Grandpa!" Caroline said. "You have to go wash it off!"

Ron got to his feet and rushed into the loo.

"Grandpa's silly," Caroline said shaking her head.

"Yes he is," Luna smiled at her granddaughters. "But I bet his face looks lovely after the mud treatment."

Caroline giggled. "He'll be gorgeous!"

Luna laughed- if only Ron could hear himself be described as gorgeous. "Why don't we go see if he needs any help?"

"Okay," Caroline said. She finally caught sight of her sister's back which had muddy handprints all over it. "I'm sorry Em!"

"I can charm it off Angel girl," Luna told her. "Don't you worry about it."

Caroline smiled. "Let's go help silly old Grandpa then."

76. Ch 76

Authors note: We hope everyone had a nice Valentine's Day. Here is the latest instalment---you see the return of some old favourites---as Cho and Neville have an evening with their newest grandchildren. And for those of you who were wondering where the drama was...

It was the first Hogsmeade weekend of that year and so far, Saffron and Alexa were both having a great time. It was the first time they would both go with boyfriends and they were both excited as they all slid into a booth together at The Three Broomsticks.

"This reminds me of when we were out with you and Sean this summer," R.J. commented.

"The first disastrous time?" Saffron asked.

"More like the second," R.J. joked.

"Who is Sean?" Peter asked, sliding his arm around Saffron's shoulders.

Saffron hadn't discussed Sean with Peter and she wasn't sure how he would handle it. But, since she and Sean had broken things off and agreed to see other people, she didn't see any harm in telling Peter the truth. "A boy I fancied this past summer," she answered.

"Oh," Peter answered.

"Let's not talk about him," Alexa suggested, seeing that it was a touchy subject. "Is everyone going to have a butterbeer?"

"Yes," Saffron said squeezing Peter's hand reassuringly. "That sounds great. How about your superstar boyfriend buys?"

"What am I just made of money?" R.J. asked sarcastically.

"I'll buy the first round," Peter offered. "Anyone want anything to eat?"

"I already snacked too much at Honeydukes," Saffron gave him a kiss. "So just a butterbeer for me." she smiled at him.

"I'll start with some of those chocolate biscuits," R.J. said. "But don't worry mate. I'll give you some money for that..."

Peter laughed. "How about you Alexa?"

"Butterbeer for me too," Alexa replied. "Thanks Peter."

Peter took some extra money from R.J. and departed for the counter.

"Why'd you bring up Sean in front of him?" Saffron asked as soon as Peter was out of earshot.

"I didn't think," R.J. apologised. "I'm sorry Saf."

Saffron shook her head. "Don't do it again okay?"

"I won't," R.J. promised. "I thought you'd told him about it anyway."

Saffron blushed. "We haven't done much talking..."

"Saffron Grace..." R.J. teased. "Sucking face..."

Saffron narrowed her eyes. "Missing without a trace..." she threatened.

"Okay," R.J. gulped. He looked over at his girlfriend. "So what's the latest from your folks?"

"The bakery's going well," Alexa said. "Mum had to hire a new girl to help since I went back to school though."

"I want to help out next summer," Saffron said. "I think it would cool to work for your mum."

"I'm sure she'd love that," Alexa said. "And it'd be fun to have you around. Working with Ben is all right but sometimes he makes me want to go mad."

R.J. grinned at this.

"He can be a bit annoying, Lex. Those impressions he does...I don't know who half those people are and he thinks he's so funny," Saffron said rolling her eyes.

"He's a Muggle," Alexa shrugged. "Oh but he did send me a letter Saffy. His parents bought him a car for his birthday!"

"A car?" Saffron asked at the same R.J. asked "He's been writing to you?"

"My parents forwarded a letter to me from him," Alexa answered her boyfriend's question first. "And yes, a car. It's a used one, but he said he really likes it."

"That's so cool!" Saffron exclaimed. Peter came back to the table and said someone would be out with their order in a few minutes.

R.J. used his finger to trace patterns on the table. He was still having a hard time catching onto the whole driving thing. By the end of the summer, he was still only driving in empty parking lots. Now, the rival for his girlfriend's affections would be driving around like a pro.

"Personally, I like brooms better," Alexa said, not noticing her boyfriend's discomfort. "There's something much more fun about them."

"My dad's going to teach me how to drive like he did R.J.," Saffron said.

R.J. frowned. He wondered if this was her way of getting him back for telling Peter about Sean.

"You're learning to drive?" Alexa asked him. "Since when?"

"I just went out a few times over summer hols," R.J. muttered. "Thought it might be useful to know."

"But you're not going to be living as a Muggle," Alexa said.

"I know that," R.J. replied. "But I thought it'd be nice if at some point, I could come take you out on a date in a car."

"Really?" Alexa asked touched by that. "R.J...."

"And here they go," Saffron said as her best friend gave R.J. a kiss. "Cover your eyes Pete..."

"Or we could just out snog them," Peter teased her.

"I like the way you think," Saffron said leaning in.

"Hi Peter!" a pretty brunette said striding past their table.

"Hi," Peter said automatically. "Um... Jenna right?"

"You remembered," she gushed. "We had Herbology together first year."

"Right," Peter replied vaguely. "Well um... good seeing you..."

"It was great seeing you too!" Jenna said touching his arm before heading off to join her friends.

"Well," Saffron said. "You're certainly becoming quite sought after."

"No I'm not," Peter said his cheeks turning pink.

"You are too," Saffron teased. "I told you before Peter Lawson, you're quite fanciable now."

"I saw you surrounded by girls at the Ravenclaw table," R.J. joked. "Lucky bastard."

Peter flushed even darker. "They just wanted a little help with homework," he mumbled uncomfortably.

"I guess they forgave you for pulling for Gryffindor then?" Saffron teased.

"Guess so," he said, relaxing a bit as she leaned against him.

"Slytherin's coming up in two weeks," R.J. reminded his friend. "We've got to be ready for them, Saf."

"We will be," Saffron replied. "We're going to slaughter them R.J.."

"I hope so," R.J. said. "I've gone undefeated against them the entire time I've been here and I want to keep it that way."

"You won't lose against them on my account," Saffron vowed. "Especially not with Pete and Lex cheering us on."

"And all my Ravenclaw mates will be cheering with me this time," Peter said grinning at his girlfriend. "Except for Christina Grant probably."

"Don't say her name," Saffron said with a groan.

"Didn't you used to date her?" Peter asked R.J. innocently.

"I was mentally challenged at the time," R.J. replied. "Thank goodness I got Lexie here. She's straightened me out," he grinned at his girlfriend.

"She's a complete and utter cow," Saffron said grateful that the waitress brought out their drinks and R.J.'s food.

"I've been waiting for this," Alexa said, eager to keep the subject away from R.J.'s ex. "I wish they had butterbeer back in school."

"Andrew has a secret stash," R.J. said grinning at her. "You just say the word and I'll get you some..."

"He does?" Alexa smiled. "There are some nights I'd do just about anything for a butterbeer."

"Oh really?" R.J. asked nudging her. "Well, well..."

"Get your mind out of the gutter," Saffron interjected. "You can take the most benign things and turn them into something sexual."

R.J. grinned at her. "You say that like it's a bad thing."

"Please," Saffron said rolling her eyes. "It's all you boys think about, isn't it?"

"I don't," Peter interjected.

"It's not all I think about either," R.J. said defensively. "And you're one to talk Saffron. Last year, I seem to remember you telling us that you didn't have time for boys."

"That was before they all got so cute," Saffron smiled flirtatiously at Peter.

"And now I'm reaping the benefits," Peter said kissing her forehead.

Alexa looked longingly at one of the biscuits on R.J.'s plate. She and Saffron had sampled quite a bit at Honeydukes, but those biscuits did look really good.

"You want one?" R.J. asked his mouth full.

"You don't mind?" she asked.

He shook his head and pushed the plate toward her.

"Thank you," she said softly. "I know how much you like these. And when we go home for Christmas hols I'm going to make you loads of biscuits."

"Yours are better than this anyway," he said loyally.

"And some fudge?" Alexa asked. "For you AND your dad?"

"My dad has already given me permission to marry you after you sent him that double chocolate fudge," R.J. said laughing.

She giggled. "I knew I liked your dad."

"I think my family actually likes you better than me," R.J. said.

"I know I do," Saffron joked. "Even though I'm not a Weasley."

"Thanks Saf... my FORMER seeker," R.J. retorted playfully.

"You want to beat Slytherin, don't you?" Saffron asked. "You want to impress that scout again right? You need me R.J.."

"They're already licking my Quidditch gloves," R.J. said arrogantly.

"Oh really?" Saffron asked. "Let me guess, you've already picked out a new racing broom? Already picked out the luxury flat that you'll buy off that fat contract they sign you to, haven't you?"

"Sure," R.J. stretched his arm along the back of the booth and over Alexa's shoulders.

"Just don't forget who you are," Saffron said. "You don't want to turn into some insufferable, arrogant arse. I mean you're that anyway, but you know how some people can get once they've had a taste of fame and fortune."

"I'll always have my humble roots," R.J. stuffed the last biscuit in his mouth.

"It'll be weird to think of you out there playing while we're still here at school," Saffron said before taking a sip of her butterbeer.

"That's right," Peter said nodding. "I forget that you're a seventh year sometimes. Not that you act immature or anything...it's just that you hang out with Saffron and Alexa and they're younger than you."

"I've known Saf since we were babies," R.J. said. "I could tell you loads of embarrassing stuff about her."

"No you couldn't," Saffron said with clenched teeth. For added measure, she kicked him under the table.

"OW!" Alexa yelped. "Wrong leg, Saffy..."

"Wasn't me," Saffron shot a look of apology at her friend.

"Like for instance," R.J. said gleefully to Peter. "She couldn't say broom for the longest time. She used to say 'boom'. In fact, her favourite phrase for the longest time was "I go boom'!"

Peter smiled. "How old were you?" he asked.

"A year," Saffron said, her face bright red. "Better than R.J.- he didn't talk until he was almost four."

"That's not true," R.J. said. "I talked plenty."

Alexa grinned. "I know for a fact he used to run around his house starkers and talk about being a fairy."

"Okay, okay," R.J. said covering her mouth with his hand. "I thought we agreed we weren't going to ever mention that again. Ever."

Saffron was laughing. "R.J. the fairy," she snorted. "I could have some REAL fun with that!"

R.J. glared across the table at her. "Saffron...Ethan told me some things about you that I'm not so sure you want anyone to know about..."

"There's absolutely nothing that beats you being a fairy R.J.," Saffron said, leaning her head against Peter's shoulder. "And I bet you anything I can get physical proof from Mads."

"You wouldn't dare!" R.J. said threateningly.

"And neither will you I wager," she said sweetly.

"Okay," R.J. said. "How about we make a deal? I won't mention anything about that time Ethan caught you doing---well you and I both know what that was----and you won't tell anyone about that running around starkers thing? Deal?" He extended his hand toward Saffron.

Saffron nodded. "All right, deal."

The waitress came back with a large mug of hot chocolate and set it down in front of Peter.

"Excuse me," Peter said. "I didn't order any hot chocolate miss."

"Courtesy of the girls at that back table over there," the waitress said motioning to the table where Jenna and her friends were sitting.

"Oh..." Peter seemed flustered by this. "Well uh... thank you?"

"I'll tell them you were pleased," the waitress said smiling at him.

"Okay..." he didn't really know what to say.

"A group of girls has never sent me anything," R.J. said grinning at him. "Except adoring looks that is..."

"If you want it you can have it," Peter pushed the mug towards Saffron.

"It wasn't meant for me," Saffron said not really sure what to make of all this. Things like this had been happening all the time lately where Peter was concerned. "You go ahead, Pete."

"I don't know why they're suddenly paying so much attention to me," he muttered.

"Maybe it's because you got a haircut, filled out quite a bit and caught some sun this summer," Saffron guessed. "But I liked you the way you were before too, Peter."

"You did?" that simple statement brightened his whole face. "Thanks Saffron."

"Come on Lex," R.J. said finishing off his butterbeer. "I want to check out the Quality Quidditch and see if they have anything new."

Alexa was about to ask if Saffron would be okay alone with Peter, but the way the two of them were staring at each other, she had her answer.

"We'll catch up with you later," Alexa said putting on her cloak.

"Okay," Saffron said.

Peter watched the other couple leave and then he turned his attention back to Saffron. "Alone at last..."

"Yeah," she smiled at him. "Feels like we waited forever for this, aye?"

He laughed. "I like your friends, but I'm glad to finally get some alone time with you. Saf, I can't believe I'm sitting here with you at a cosy table with my arm around you. I never thought we'd be anything but friends."

"I didn't really, either," she confessed. "Not until we got back to school at least..."

"You were the reason I started exercising during summer hols," he admitted. "The reason I got a haircut and contacts. I wanted you to see me, you know?"

"I was?" Saffron asked, flattered.

He nodded. "I've fancied you since the moment we met. You're funny. You're smart. And you're the most beautiful girl in the world to me."

Saffron literally felt herself melt. "That is so sweet," she whispered, the butterflies in her stomach fluttering madly.

"It's the truth," he said touching her cheek. "And I don't care that you didn't see me like you do now until this year, Saffron. You see me now. And I..." His words were cut off as she leaned in and kissed him.

"I did see you," she whispered a few moments later. "I always knew you were a great guy."

"Thanks Saffy," he said softly.

"Come on..." she said. "Let's get out of here. I have a place I want to show you..."

"Where are you taking me?" he asked as he helped her on with her cloak.

"Somewhere Lex and I found when we first started coming to Hogsmeade." Saffron said. "I just hope she and R.J. really went to the Quidditch shoppe and not there."

"Some place we can be alone?" Peter asked with a grin.

"That's exactly it," Saffron gave him a kiss, mostly to benefit the glares from Peter's fan club in the corner.

Peter took her hand and led her outside. "Which way?"

"Over here," Saffron said, holding her cloak tightly to ward off the cool wind blowing against them. "It's just past Honeydukes."

"How did you and Alexa discover this place?" Peter asked conversationally. "Whatever this place is?'

"It's just this little cranny," Saffron said, leading him around the corner. "It's this nice, private little nook right out of the way here..."

"And it looks like we've got it all to ourselves," he said smiling at her.

"Good," she said. "And we found it when we were trying to get away from some Slytherin creeps who were trying to steal our sweets. Turns out to be quite handy..."

"I wish I'd known about it," Peter said. "I had to do my fair share of running from Slytherin creeps. They always seemed to catch me though."

"Not anymore they won't," Saffron said, running her hands up his arms.

Peter smiled. "You're going to protect me then?"

"I don't think I'll need to," she grinned back at him.

Peter marvelled again at the fact that he was here with Saffron Potter---the girl of his dreams. He pulled her close and softly kissed her.

Saffron purred deep in her throat and kissed him back, winding her arms around his middle.

Peter's hands swept through her hair which she'd worn down that day. He didn't imagine kissing her would ever get old.

"Peter," she murmured. "You're quite good at this..." she pressed her lips to his again.

"I had a really good teacher," he whispered back.

"She likes teaching you," Saffron rested her forehead against his as she closed her eyes.

"I find myself wishing the stupidest things," he said softly. "Like we were in the same house. That I could sneak you into my room. Crazy, eh?"

"That's what R.J. does to Alexa," she said, her lips brushing his. "I wish we could be in the same house too."

"I'm guess I'm not as brave and courageous as you," he said tickling her side.

"That's why you're not a Gryffindor," she teased, laughing.

"You're as smart as any of us in Ravenclaw," he said. "I think we should ask the Sorting Hat for a do over."

"You wish," Saffron was still laughing. "Although maybe for you, you can tell it how brave you really are and tell it all forcefully that you want to be a Gryffindor."

"The Sorting Hat would probably laugh itself silly," he said laughing as well. "And it would probably do something horrid and sort me into Hufflepuff."

"Well that would be a tragedy," Saffron pressed closer to him. "Because I'd never be the girlfriend of a Hufflepuff..."

"That so?" Peter asked his eyes darkening as he looked at her.

"Quite so," Saffron said, tilting her face up.

"Good thing I'm in Ravenclaw then," he said before crushing his lips to hers in a fiery kiss.

Saffron could hardly contain her surprise at his sudden aggressive kiss.

""Come on Lex," R.J. whined. "That was a wicked broom..."

"We have to start back to the castle soon," she reminded him dragging him toward that special place she and Saffron had found their third year. "Do you want to spend it looking at a broom?"

"But it was a broom," he said, still whining.

Alexa stopped walking and looked at him. "Okay, let's think about this....looking at a broom," she said thoughtfully holding up her arm as if she was weighing her options. "Or snogging in a secluded spot with your girlfriend?"

"Well," R.J. grinned at her. "Since you put it that way... you're better than any old broom Lexie."

"That's the sweetest thing you've ever said to me," she teased tugging at his hand and leading him around the corner. "Come on..."

Alexa noticed the amused look on R.J.'s face and turned to see what he was looking at when she saw Peter and Saffron snogging like there was no tomorrow.

"Whoa," he smirked. "Looks like your private spot isn't so private..."

"Maybe we should just go?" Alexa whispered. "They were here first..."

"We should just start snogging," R.J. said. "See if they ever notice."

But it wasn't necessary. Each of the Hogwarts professors were required to spend at least one weekend chaperoning the Hogsmeade weekends and this time it was Julie's turn. She'd made the most of it and had purchased a few early Christmas presents for her daughters. She was hoping to run into her sister, but certainly hadn't planned on running into her like this.

"Jules," R.J. grinned. "Look at your little sister..."

"I guess this spot really isn't so secret," Alexa said.

Saffron finally pulled away from an equally dazed Peter. "Oh my..." she whispered, not knowing they had an audience.

"Hello Saffy," Julie said brightly. "Peter..."

For a moment, her sister's voice didn't register to Saffron. "Jules?" she finally asked, blinking.

"Seeing stars?" Julie asked teasingly.

"We were...we were just...." Peter stammered.

"We know what you were just," R.J. said grinning like a hyena.

"What the hell are you lot doing here?" Saffron asked, still holding onto Peter.

"Easy Saf," R.J. said cheekily. "Do you kiss Peter with that mouth? Oh! That's right! You do!"

"Sod off," Saffron said.

"Professor," Peter's nervousness had returned. "Saffron and I... we were... we were just..."

"Being teenagers," Julie finished for him.

"Come on R.J.," Alexa said. "Let's go look at that broom again..."

"But I thought we were going to..." R.J. started to protest, but Alexa had already pulled him away.

"Do you mind if I have a quick word with my sister?" Julie asked Peter.

"No," he replied. "I wanted to go and check on a book anyway. I'll meet up with you in a bit Saffy."

"Pete..." Saffron started to say.

"It's okay," he said squeezing her hand. "I'll catch up with you."

Julie smiled. "I won't keep you long Saffy."

Saffron didn't say anything as Peter left them. "I suppose you're going to tell me how mum and dad would be disappointed to hear about this."

Julie shook her head. "No, I'm sure they wouldn't be pleased, but they really wouldn't have any room to talk now, would they?"

Saffron bit down on her lower lip, which was slightly swollen. "I guess not," she said, hiding her smile.

"It just threw me for a second," Julie admitted. "You're my baby sister and I turn the corner and there you are..."

"Are you going to say anything to mum and dad?" Saffron asked.

"No," Julie answered. "You're getting top marks. You're doing brilliantly with Quidditch. There's nothing to report to mum and dad if all you're doing is snogging, Saffron."

Saffron smiled. "I got lucky to have a cool big sister," she said, hugging Julie.

Julie hugged her back. "That is all you're doing, isn't it?"

"Yes," Saffron said. "I swear it is Jules. I don't want to go that far. Not yet."

"Good answer," Julie said with a relieved sigh. "Now, I know you want to catch up to Peter, but would you mind helping me pick out a present for Greta? You know her birthday's coming up..."

"I'd love to!" Saffron said brightly. "I bet she'd love those Wizarding cookbooks- the ones where you point to the ingredient and even though she's a Squib, it should work for her anyways where it comes directly from wherever it is in the kitchen?"

"I've heard about those," Julie said linking arms with her sister. "Greta would love that, Saffy."

"I know her too well," Saffron replied. "Thanks Jules. You're the best."

Julie laughed. "Is that just because I'm not telling mum and dad about that scene back there?"

Saffron nudged her sister's side. "Just partly. I'm really glad you're teaching here this year. I miss you so much while I'm away all year long."

"Part of the reason I wanted to teach here was to be here for you," Julie said nudging her back. "And I hope you know you can come and talk to me anytime, Saffy."

"Thanks Jules," Saffron said. "I appreciate it a lot." they walked along the road to the bookstore. “Oh but I really want to tell you what Peter told me back in The Three Broomsticks.”

“What was that?” Julie asked with a grin.

“He told me that the reason he started working out this summer and got contacts and all that was because he wanted me to notice him,” Saffron said. “And then he told me I was beautiful.”

“That’s really sweet,” Julie smiled. “He really must fancy you.”

Saffron nodded and hugged herself. “I like him a lot too.” She laughed. “It wasn’t like this for you and Nick at first though was it?”

“Not at all,” Julie agreed. “He was a smarmy git, but then again I wasn’t the nicest person either. I’m just glad we managed to make everything work out. He’s really an amazing guy, and he’s a wonderful father.”

"So how are my favourite nieces?" Saffron asked.

"Probably driving Nick and Greta completely mad," Julie said shaking her head. "Katie's in a strop because Caroline's spending the weekend with Mia. So last night, Katie decides to try and make Ashley miserable. She tore up this painting Ashley was doing. Needless to say, they're not speaking..."

"Ouch," Saffron winced. "Why's Katie so angry about Caroline and Mia?"

"How much time do you have?" Julie asked. "She thinks that she should be Caroline's only friend. And she treats poor Mia terribly whenever the three of them are in the same room. Nick and I have talked to her until we're blue in the face. I'm afraid if she keeps this up, Caroline's not going to be her friend anymore."

"That's really stupid," Saffron said. "Caroline practically worships Katie."

"I know," Julie said. "I don't know what to do. You know, I used to think Greta was only teasing when she said that I was going to have my hands full with Katie..."

"What does Ash say about all this?" Saffron ventured as she and her sister picked out the cookbooks.

"Ashley thinks Katie is being very selfish and doesn't hesitate to tell her this," Julie said. She looked wistfully at her little sister. "I just wish they could be as close as you and me. Maybe someday..."

"They can only be so lucky," Saffron joked. "Of course, I'm sure it also helps that you were almost twenty one when I was born..."

"That could have been it," Julie said laughing. "But it wasn't as if Mum and Dad planned it that way."

"That's true," Saffron said. "But aren't you glad? You wouldn't have had me!" she laughed.

"True," Julie said grinning at her. "And where would we all be without you?"

"Bored as can be," Saffron deadpanned.

*** *** ***

"And you'll owl us immediately if something happens," Chiaki was saying as Toshio helped her on with her cloak.

"Yes," Cho said patting Mitsuko's back. "Sukie wants you and her daddy to go out and have a good time."

"We've never left them, Mum," Chiaki said biting her bottom lip to stop from crying.

"You did for your sister's wedding," Cho reminded her. "And everything was fine."

"I know but--" Chiaki started to argue.

"How many times have you told me over the past couple of months that you wanted us to have a night out to ourselves?" Toshio asked his wife. "It's just dinner, Chi."

"All right," Chiaki relented. "You be a good little angel," she kissed Mitsuko's head. "And you too..." she pressed her lips to Masanobu's forehead.

"Have a good time," Neville told his daughter and he held up Masanobu's hand and waved it at her.

"We will," Chiaki said. "Thanks again Mum and Dad."

Cho laughed as Toshio practically had to pull his wife out the door. She kissed the side of her granddaughter's head. "I get you all to myself..."

"Not completely," Neville teased. "We switch in a half hour."

"Deal," Cho said with a grin. She looked around Toshio and Chiaki's small flat and smiled. "This reminds me of our first place."

"Nice and small," Neville replied. "When it was just you, me and Chiaki."

"And then---" Cho said.

"Our little family grew," Neville grinned. "I'll never forget the day you found out you were pregnant with Allie."

***

Six-year old Chiaki stood with one arm on the back of the sofa for support. "First position." The little girl put her feet in the correct places as she demonstrated the move for her father. Her mother had gone out for lunch with Lavender and Hermione.

Neville grinned. "Second position?"

Chiaki positioned her feet and arms correctly. "There," she said.

"Perfect," Neville said. "Though, I'm hardly an expert..."

"You know what the positions are Daddy," Chiaki giggled. "But no one is as good as Mummy."

"You're on your way, sweetheart," Neville said leaning down and giving her a hug. "My sweet little girl."

"I love you Daddy," Chiaki held onto her father.

"I love you too," Neville said patting her back. This little girl had changed his life in ways she'd never know.

"I'm going to my room to practise some more," Chiaki said. "When Mummy comes home I want to show her how perfect I did my positions."

"Okay sweetheart," Neville said. He went back into the kitchen and looked over his case notes. Their small flat wasn't big enough for him to have an office and so the kitchen table usually turned into his makeshift desk.

An hour or so later he heard his wife let herself in the front door. "Hi," Cho swept into the room with a large grin.

"Hi," Neville said still looking at his paperwork. "How was lunch? Don't tell me Lavender is still bitching and moaning about Seamus..."

"No," Cho said. "Neville look at me a moment."

"What is it?" Neville asked looking up.

Cho's grin got even wider. "I'm pregnant."

"Chiaki wants you to---" Neville started to say. "Excuse me...you're what?"

"Pregnant," Cho repeated with a laugh.

"With a baby?" Neville asked excitedly.

Cho shook her head. "What else- a chicken?" she asked as Neville jumped up and embraced her.

Neville was speechless as he hugged his wife and then knelt down in front of her. He placed a hand on her still flat-stomach. "There's a baby in there!"

"There is," Cho repeated with a grin. "I'm just over three months along."

"November," Neville said brightly. "Our little baby will be in here in November."

"That's right," Cho said softly. "I can't wait Nev... another baby around here!"

"Where are we going to put a baby?" Neville asked with a laugh. "We're packed pretty tight now."

"We could put Chiaki's old crib either into her room or in ours," Cho suggested. "Harry told me they still have it in the attic from when they used it for Julie."

Neville frowned. "How---how did Hermione take the news?" He knew that she and Harry were still trying to conceive and Hermione had been in a sad state the past few months. She'd recently been talking with a counsellor and seemed to be feeling better.

"She's happy for us." Cho replied. "She wishes she and Harry could have another baby of course, but wants to help us out."

"That's great," Neville said giving her another hug. "Oh, Cho! I'm so happy!"

"Daddy!" Chiaki said from the doorway. Her little arms folded across her chest. "You said you'd tell me when Mummy came home!"

"Hi sweetheart," Cho laughed as she extracted herself from her husband's arms. "I just got in."

"I wanted to show you my positions," Chiaki said. "I've been working on them all morning."

"I can't wait to see them," Cho hugged her daughter. "But first your father and I have some wonderful news."

"I'm getting a dog, right?" Chiaki asked clapping her hands together. "I want one just like Aunt Luna and Uncle Ron's!"

Cho and Neville laughed. "Sorry Chi, no dog," Neville's eyes twinkled.

Cho sat down and motioned for her daughter to do the same. "Sweetheart, in a few months time, you're going to have a little brother or sister."

Neville and Cho exchanged happy looks as they waited for their daughter's reaction. Chiaki looked thoughtfully at them.

"Can't I have the dog instead?" she asked.

"Chiaki!" Cho exclaimed.

"I don't want a smelly old brother," Chiaki said innocently.

"Just a smelly old dog?" Neville asked.

"You might get a sister," Cho replied, moving over to sit next to her daughter.

"A sister might be kind of cool," Chiaki said fidgeting in her seat.

"I hope you'll be happy about this," Neville stroked her long black hair behind her ear. "You're going to be a wonderful big sister."

"A big sister?" Chiaki asked. "I'd like that!"

"That's right," Cho smiled. "Sort of like how you are to Julie, only it's your own brother or sister."

"I can't wait to tell Julie!" Chiaki exclaimed.

"I'm sure she'll be surprised," Cho replied. "Why don't you go and tell her now if you like?"

"You know what would be even better?" Chiaki asked.

"What's that?" Neville asked.

"If I could tell her I was getting a baby sister and a dog," Chiaki said sweetly.

Neville shook his head. "No dog."

"Nice try though," Cho said laughing.

"I'm going to Floo over," Chiaki said. "And when I get back can I show you my positions Mummy?"

"Okay," Cho said. "But don't stay long, sweetheart."

"Okay," Chiaki ran into the sitting room.

"She's certainly persistent," Neville laughed. "Cho I cannot believe this- we're going to have another baby!"

"There's something else I wanted to ask you," Cho said.

"What's that?" he asked before giving her a kiss.

"Well, I was thinking that if it's a girl, we could name it Allison," Cho said. "And if it's a boy, we could name it Frank...in honour of your parents. Would you---would you like that?"

"That would be wonderful," Neville replied softly.

"And once he or she's here, we can bring the baby to meet your parents," Cho said squeezing his hand.

"They've always liked it when we brought Chiaki," Neville kissed his wife again. "And she likes spending time with them too."

"She's saved every single gum wrapper," Cho said softly.

"I used to do that too," Neville said with a sad smile.

"Those visits mean a lot to them," Cho said hugging her husband. "And to us too."

***

"You know they still recognise us and the girls," Neville said as he and Cho fed Sukie and Mas. "And my mother loves seeing these two."

"And little Emma brings them extra sweets," Cho said.

Mitsuko looked up at her grandmother and cooed.

"And your mummy never did get her dog," Cho said softly.

"Somehow I think these two made up for it," Neville snickered.

"You ready to switch?" Cho asked. "I think Sukie wants some Grandpa time."

"Always," Neville replied. "Mas- over to grandma you go."

"Grandma's big boy," Cho said standing up with her grandson.

"Oooh..." Masanobu looked with his wide eyes at his grandmother.

"Are you trying to say something?" Cho asked making a goofy face at him.

"Maybe they're trying to talk," Neville suggested.

"Chiaki would hate to miss that," Cho said looking expectantly at her grandson.

"Yeah she would," Neville said. "So would Tosh."

"Mmmmmmmmuh," Mitsuko said grabbing onto Neville's fringe.

"OW!" Neville said. "Cho!"

"You're as bad as Harry was when Saffy used to do that," Cho said laughing as Neville tried to pry his granddaughter's hand away.

"Help me!" Neville said panicking.

Cho hastily put her grandson in his bouncy seat and then turned her attention to Neville.

"Don't hurt Grandpa, Sukie," Cho said softly. "Come here, baby."

Neville groaned. "Look at that!" he whined. "She took out half my fringe Cho!"

"Quit being a baby," she said to her husband. "Sukie didn't mean to do it and besides, can you really be mad at this sweet little face?"

"No," Neville replied. "But that really hurt."

"You'd never know you were a big, tough Auror," Cho teased as she set Sukie into her bouncy seat.

"Funny," Neville replied. "I think these two are about ready for a kip."

"We'll give them a few minutes," Cho said sitting back down on the sofa. "I just want to watch them for a little while longer."

Neville slid his arm around her. "This does rather remind me of when we used to sit here together and watch Chiaki sleep. We never got tired of doing that."

"And I doubt we ever will," Cho kissed his cheek.

*** *** ***

Bree and Ethan rode the lift up to the Auror Headquarters. They were going to be working all alone tonight as Justin had used his charm to talk Lupin into giving him the night off. It was Justin and Sarah's anniversary and Justin was going to surprise his girlfriend by popping the question. Bree and Ethan already knew and had both been sworn to secrecy.

They didn't plan on working long tonight. Maddie and Mason were to arrive around nine so they could all have a late dinner.

"How do you think he's going to do it?" Bree asked Ethan as the lift pinged open. "You don't think he'll do the baby talk as he proposes, do you? 'Will you be my ickle wifey, sweetie?'"

Ethan snorted. "And she'll bat her eyes and say something like ’Oh yes sweetie honey pie,’” he mimicked in a falsetto voice. "I would love to be your wifey poo!"

Bree giggled following Ethan toward their familiar haunting grounds---the interrogation room that had been their home sweet home lately. It wasn't so bad. Neville had let them bring in a sofa and a couple of comfortable chairs.

Ethan turned the lights on and they were both surprised to see a tray of tea and biscuits in the middle of the table.

"What's all this?" Bree asked.

"I don't know," Ethan replied. "There's no note or anything. Maybe my dad had it sent up knowing we were going to be here late..."

"I didn't have any lunch today," Bree said setting her bag and books down on the table. "How about we have a quick snack before we get to work?"

"Sounds good to me," Ethan agreed. "It's getting cold out- I always liked tea in the winter."

"If your dad did this, it was very sweet of him," Bree said as Ethan poured them both a cup.

"He's good like that," Ethan said, munching on a biscuit. "These are bloody good."

Bree picked up an oatmeal raisin biscuit. "My favourite!"

"Tea's good too," Ethan said, relaxing in his chair.

Bree took a sip. "It is good. This has been nice, hasn't it? I know we've worked long hours and all, but it's been great to spend time with you and Just--" she yawned. "I'm sorry...I guess I'm more knackered than I thought."

"Me too," Ethan rubbed his eyes. "All of a sudden I just feel really exhausted."

Bree yawned again. It suddenly felt quite warm in the room. She looked over at Ethan who was staring back at her with a dazed expression on his face.

"Ethan..." she whispered.

Maddie pulled her hair back and tied it in a loose ponytail. She was wearing a simple long skirt and jumper, as the four of them didn't plan on doing more than just have dinner. She was glad- she had really missed spending time with Ethan lately and although she'd have rather had him alone, being around a few other people didn't bother her. She'd tried to stay as close as possible to him since her disturbing vision and her sisters had both reassured her that it was probably nothing more than a bad dream.

Drew and Darla stopped in to see their younger sister before they returned to Dublin. They were still in the process of moving their offices to London and were still very much in the transition stage. Maddie was so happy they were moving closer to home.

"You're going to take his breath away," Drew said smiling at her sister as Maddie came into the sitting room.

Maddie smiled back. "I hope so. Everything was so great in Brighton but then we come back home and it's like real life just slaps us all in the face with a reality check."

"Sounds a bit like me and Paul," Drew said sadly. When she saw the look on Maddie's face, she felt like an idiot. "Ethan is nothing like Paul, you know I didn't mean it like that. It's just that things can be so perfect when it's just the two of you and then you come back to your everyday life or balancing work with your lives together...it's not easy."

"I swear if that wanker ever shows his face around you--" Darla threatened.

"He'll have to answer to a load of Weasleys if he does," Maddie said echoing her sister's sentiment.

"I still appreciate all that you lot did for me back in Brighton," Drew said. "It really made a world of difference for me."

"We love you Drew," Maddie said. "And I'm so happy you two are going to be nearby. Mum and Dad are over the moon about it."

"We hope you are too," Darla teased. "Now that we expect to hear regular updates on what's going on with you and Ethan."

"I hope it's all good news," Maddie said, worry creeping into her voice again.

"It's nothing Maddie," Darla reassured her. "Just a bad, bad dream. It wasn't real. You and Ethan are tight and always will be."

"I hope so," Maddie looked down at the promise ring which sparkled as it always did on her right hand. "I love him so much."

"And Drew and I will plan the most fantastic wedding for you," Darla said dreamily. "And you'll live happily ever after..."

"She always did read way too many fairy tales," Drew joked.

"Oh come off it Drew," Darla said. "Maddie's romance with Ethan is so like a fairy tale. She's fancied him since she was a child. He finally realised how he felt about her and under the stars on a bloody beach, he tells her he's in love with her. Then on New Year's Eve with fireworks all around them, he gives her a promise ring! And for their first anniversary he surprises her with sapphire earrings on the same moonlit beach where he first told her he loves her. You don't get much more romantic than that!"

"That's true," Drew said grinning at her younger sister. "Perhaps we might want to think of a fairy tale theme for your wedding...."

Maddie smiled. "He really is amazing isn't he?" she asked rhetorically.

"I always said he'd grow up to be a handsome bloke," Darla said. "And I knew he'd come around for you eventually Madeline."

"I'm glad he did," Maddie said. "Even though I stopped really fancying him during the time we were at school, I never really saw myself with anyone else."

"And it seems like you've been together forever," Drew said thoughtfully. "I hope someday I can find someone just like him."

"I bet you will Drew," Maddie said supportively. "Someone who will make Paul look like a load of dung."

"Paul will get his one day," Darla said getting angry just thinking about the bastard. "Karma has a way of evening things out."

"Right," Drew said. "We don't want to keep you Mads. We just wanted to pop by and say hello."

"And remember you and Ethan promised to help us move," Darla said giving her sister a hug.

"As if you'd let us forget it," Maddie laughed."

"Just reminding you is all," Drew said. "And owl us tomorrow and let us know how your night went, okay?"

"I will," Maddie promised. "Thanks you guys. I'll see you both later."

Maddie gave herself one last look in the mirror before putting on her cloak and grabbing her bag. She couldn't wait to see Ethan and tried to clamp down the memories of that horrible dream.

She and Mason arrived at the Ministry at the same time and they headed up in the lift together. "How's everything going with you and Bree?" she asked conversationally.

"Great," Mason said smiling at her. "In fact, I'm going to tell her today that I was offered a full-time post here at the Ministry. I won't be going back to the States."

"Oh she'll be so happy to hear that," Maddie grinned. "She really cares about you a lot."

"I've never met anyone like her," Mason said. "I just thought I'd come here and serve my time at the Ministry and just go home. I didn't count on meeting her. But fate, destiny or whatever you call it brought us here. Does that make any sense?"

"I understand how that is completely," Maddie replied. "I'm so glad you and Bree found each other. I guess because Ethan and I are so happy together I want everyone else to be that way too."

Mason nodded. "I know the feeling. I certainly never thought I'd be doubling with my new girlfriend's ex, but Ethan's a good man and he obviously loves you a lot. "

Maddie smiled softly. "And you're obviously quite comfortable with us, for which I'm glad."

"We are," Mason agreed. The lift doors opened and Mason motioned for Maddie to exit first.

"Thank you," Maddie said, leading the way down to the office.

"So what have you got planned for us tonight?" Mason asked.

"I think Ethan said we were just going for some supper," Maddie replied. "We've all had a busy week and I don't think any of us are up for a night out in a club."

"Something nice and quiet sounds perfect," Mason said. The door to the interrogation room was closed and it was very quiet. "Do you think they've gone?" Mason asked Maddie.

"I don't think so," Maddie said. "Ethan told me to meet him here right at this time..." she knocked softly.

There was no answer and Maddie and Mason exchanged puzzled looks. Mason tried the door which was unlocked and slowly opened the door.

"Bree...?" he called out. The room was completely dark. "I don't think they're here, Maddie..."

"Isn't there a light somewhere?" she dug into her bag for her wand.

Mason reached out blindly for the light switch and finally found it. The room was suddenly illuminated and Maddie felt her heart sink as she took in the sight before her.

"Wha..." Ethan blinked as the lights came on. "What's going on?" he found himself lying on the cushy sofa with a blanket draped over him. He felt something heavy on his arm and he first thought it was Maddie, but when he turned he saw a head of brown hair instead.

"Bree..." Mason said quietly.

Bree was still fast asleep in Ethan's arms, her bare shoulders and back peeking out from underneath the blanket.

"What is going on here?" Maddie asked, her voice shaking. "Ethan?"

Ethan tried to focus but his vision was still quite blurry. "Maddie? W-what are you..."

"What the hell is going on?" Mason asked. "Breeana..."

"What?" Bree asked sleepily. "Mason?"

"Nice that you remember my fucking name," Mason said coldly. "So what was this? You using me to get him back?"

"Get who back?" Bree asked. "My head hurts.."

"You probably banged it a few times while having sex," Mason spat disgustedly, turning on his heel and walking out.

"Ethan how could you?" Maddie whispered as he sat up, revealing his bare chest.

77. Ch 77

AN: Well a lot of you were pretty steamed about us leaving you on a cliffie last chapter, and we’re sorry (sort of) to say we’re gonna do the same to you again this time around…

So please read, review, and don’t kill us!!

Bree shakily sat up as well trying to keep herself covered with the blanket.

"How could I what?" Ethan asked feeling light-headed. "Mads..."

"How could you sleep with her?" Maddie asked, her voice shaking. "Because I wouldn't put out, this is what all your late nights have entailed?"

"We didn't---" Bree started to protest, but she saw that they were both completely naked underneath this blanket. The last thing she could remember was drinking that tea. Everything became a blur after that. She couldn't have done this---not here---not like this with Ethan.

"I'm really sure you didn't," Maddie's eyes were filled with tears. "What do you think I am, some sort of fool?"

"Maddie," Ethan said as Bree started to cry. "This isn't what it looks like.."

Maddie only stared at him coldly. "Don't ever speak to me again Ethan James Potter." she turned and slammed the door behind her, running down the corridor, just wanting to get the hell out of there.

"Ethan," Bree asked looking over at him as tears streamed down her face. "What have we done?"

"I don't know..." Ethan looked blindly around the room for his clothes. "Just what the hell is going on here? I need to go talk to Maddie."

Bree saw her bra and knickers at the foot of the sofa scattered amongst the rest of their discarded clothes. She hugged the blanket tight around her and tried to get up but nearly fainted as she did so.

"My head..." she said sitting back down on the sofa.

"Mine hurts too," Ethan rubbed his eyes.

"We couldn't have..." Bree asked looking at him. "Could we?"

"I don't remember," Ethan said miserably, finally grabbing his boxers and Bree's undergarments as well. "I mean, we had that tea and those biscuits and then... I just remember things getting really hazy."

Bree looked to the table which was still covered in their books and paperwork, but instead of a tea tray there was an empty bottle of Firewhisky and two glasses. For a second, Bree thought her mind was playing tricks on her.

"That wasn't there..." Bree said, pulling her knickers and bra on and wrapping the blanket around her as Ethan struggled into his trousers. "We didn't have Firewhisky."

"Nothing about this makes sense Bree," Ethan said handing Bree her jumper.

Bree's eyes were watery. "They think we slept together Ethan..."

Ethan sat back down beside her. "We'll...we'll find out what happened, Bree." He held her as she started to sob again. He wanted to go after Maddie, but he couldn't just leave Bree here. "It's going to be okay." He just wished he could believe it himself.

"Go," she sobbed. "Just go Ethan."

"I'm not leaving you," he said. "Come on. I'll make sure you get home okay..."

"I'll be fine," she pushed him away. "Please just leave me alone right now."

Ethan was hesitant to leave her, but he did want to try and explain things to Maddie.

"I'm sorry," he said softly to Bree.

"Me too," she mumbled, not looking at him.

Maddie slammed the door of their flat wondering how it was possible to have gone from happiness to complete heartbreak in the span of a couple of minutes.

She wondered if Ethan would even bother trying to follow her or if he'd jumped right back under the covers to shag his ex again.

Her question was answered when she heard a loud pop and heard Ethan call out for her.

"GO AWAY!" she screamed shutting the bedroom door.

"Mads!" Ethan called out trying to open the door. "Let me in, sweetheart. I can explain..."

"Don't you call me sweetheart!" she seethed, flinging the door open and glaring at him with blazing eyes. "I told you I didn't ever want to speak to you again! How could you do that to me Ethan?"

He had never seen her look at him that way and it broke his heart in two to know that he had disappointed her. "I don't know what happened, Maddie. You have to believe me."

"You know, that bloody bottle of Firewhisky and you underneath those blankets NAKED tells me all I need to know," Maddie said coldly.

He reached out to touch her, but she jerked away. "I know this looks bad, but you know me, Maddie. I love you. I would never do anything to hurt you."

"Looks bad?" she laughed harshly. "LOOKS BAD?"

"Maddie--" Ethan said. "I knew you and Mason were meeting up with me and Bree at headquarters. Do you really think I'd shag her if I knew you were going to be coming?"

Maddie scoffed. "Easy way for me and Mason to find out isn't it?" she shook her head and tried to fight off her tears. "All these late nights you've been with her- telling me that it was work, when really you were doing this. You must think I'm such a fool!" her last word was a shout.

"Justin was with us too," Ethan pointed out.

"So you say," Maddie turned her back on him.

"Yeah," Ethan said sarcastically. "You want to believe Bree and I have been shagging like rabbits, go right ahead!" He knew that this looked bad and that she had a right to be hurt, but she wasn't even willing to listen. "You've known me your entire life, Madeline. You know the kind of person I am. Do you really think I'd do something like this to you?"

"I thought I knew you," she choked out.

"You do know me," he said quietly. "Look, I know you're angry and upset. I'll...I'll crash at my parents' tonight. And tomorrow..."

"There isn't a tomorrow for us," she said in a dry, hoarse tone.

"What are you saying?" he asked walking closer to her. "Maddie..."

"I'm saying that I'm not as stupid and naive as you'd like me to be," she said coldly. "I can never trust you again."

"Maddie---" Ethan said quietly. "Come on. How can you say you don't trust me? If you don't, what more do we have?"

"We have nothing," she said in the same icy tone. "Leave."

Ethan stared in disbelief as she walked over to the closet and pulled out his heavy suitcase. She struggled to lift it onto the bed "Okay. Well, you know what? I don't want to stay if you don't trust me!" he said angrily.

"How can I?" Maddie spun back around. "Ethan I saw it with my own two eyes!"

Ethan threw some of his clothes into the suitcase. "You think I'd do that?" he asked. "You really think I'd do that?"

Maddie stared at him a moment, her resolve nearly weakening. She hardened her eyes and her heart again and twisted the ring he'd given her, pulling it off and throwing it at his feet.

For the longest time, neither of them spoke. Ethan looked down at the ring and then back up at Maddie. "That's yours. I gave that ring to you..."

"It was a promise ring," she said, her voice trembling. "And you broke EVERY promise you ever made to me."

"I did not!" Ethan said angrily. "I've told you what happened..."

"I don't ever want to see you again," Maddie said, her blue eyes so dark they appeared navy as they filled again with tears.

He stared angrily at her. "If that's how you feel..."

He shut his suitcase and lifted it off the bed. With one last look at her, he carried it out of the bedroom and a few moments later Maddie heard the front door slam behind him.

She fell back onto the bed, sobbing. Her whole entire world had just shattered in the space of an hour and there was nothing she could do about it.

Ethan didn't go to his parents' house straight away. He charmed his suitcase down to miniature size and walked around London feeling as angry, down and low as he could ever remember feeling. This didn't make sense. He and Bree were just talking and drinking tea and the next thing he knew, they were waking up naked under a blanket.

A few hours later, he found himself in a slightly familiar Wizarding section of the city- he recognised it as the area Frankie and Will had moved into. Thinking he could avoid a messy explanation to his parents, he decided to ask them if he could stay there for the night. Then tomorrow he could start working on getting Maddie to see that whatever had happened wasn't all it seemed.

Will and Frankie were fast asleep. Frankie was notoriously a heavy sleeper and didn't even budge when the doorbell chimed. Will groaned as he drew back the covers hoping this wasn't some neighbourhood kid playing some sort of prank. He rubbed at his eyes as he navigated his way sleepily out of the bedroom and down the hall.

"Ethan?" Will asked as he looked through the peephole. He opened the door. "What's---"

"Can I come in?" Ethan asked, knowing he must look a wreck.

"Of course," Will said standing back so Ethan could come inside.

"Something happened tonight..." Ethan said, stuffing his hands in his pockets. "I don't even know what to do right now..."

Will closed the door. "Something with Maddie? Your family?"

Ethan was silent for a few moments. "Something happened at work... I don't know what it was. I think... I think I was drugged. I woke up with my ex girlfriend naked on a sofa, and Maddie and Bree’s boyfriend Mason saw everything." he dropped down on a chair and buried his face in his hands.

Will sat down across from him. "You were drugged?" he asked.

"I don't know," Ethan shook his head.

"Okay," Will said thoughtfully. "I'm a little confused..."

Ethan sighed. "I am too. And..." he could barely force the words out past the lump in his throat. "Maddie thinks I cheated on her."

"You didn't, did you?" Will asked.

Ethan shook his head again and shrugged. "I really hope I didn't. But I can't bloody remember! We came into the room and there was some tea, so Bree and I had some. And then everything started to get really hazy... and that's the last thing I remember."

"Someone had to have slipped something into your drinks," Will said. "I haven't known you for very long, but I do know you'd never do something like that to Maddie, Ethan."

"Thank you," Ethan said sincerely.

Will didn't have to ask to know that Maddie had obviously kicked Ethan out. "You're welcome to stay here Ethan."

"I don't want to impose--" Ethan began.

"Don't be daft," Will interjected. "You're our friend. And we have a guest room. It's yours if you want it."

"I promise I won't be in your hair long," Ethan said. "Just long enough to find out what the hell happened tonight and to straighten everything out."

"Stay as long as you want," Will said standing up. "Come on, I'll show you to your room..."

"Thanks," Ethan said. "I hope Frankie believes me."

Will hoped so too, but to be on the safe side, he wouldn't tell her they had a guest until tomorrow morning. "There's extra blankets in the closet. And you're welcome to anything in the kitchen..."

"I'm not hungry," he said. "I just want to sleep and hopefully clear my head tonight so I can work this mess out tomorrow."

"Sounds like a plan," Will said. "I'll leave you to it then. Good night, Ethan."

"Night," Ethan said. "Thanks Will. You're a good mate."

"I'm sure to piss Frankie off sometime," Will said with a laugh. "You and Maddie can return the favour and let me crash on your sofa when she chucks me out."

"Deal," Ethan smiled genuinely.

"Night," Will said smiling reassuringly at his friend.

*** *** ***

"Ashley!" Nick called up the stairs. "Katie? Are you two ready to go?" he was taking them to Molly's to pick up their Halloween costumes that she had graciously made for them.

"I am Dad!" Ashley said running out of her room carrying the new picture she'd painted for her grandparents and couldn't wait to show it to them.

"That looks great Ash," Nick smiled at his oldest daughter. He'd helped her frame it and was sure Molly and Arthur would love the painting.

"Nana said she always wanted to see the Sydney Opera House," Ashley said proudly. "And this way she can."

"That's very sweet," he tucked a strand of her silky blonde hair behind her ear that had escaped from her ponytail. "Katherine Rose!" he turned and bellowed. "Get down here!"

"I'm coming Daddy!" Katie called out. She quickly grabbed the tiara that Caroline had let her borrow weeks ago and tossed it into her bag. She knew it would look perfect with her costume.

"Finally," Ashley muttered as her sister clambered down the stairs.

"Girls, can we please at least pretend to get along today?" Nick asked in exasperation.

"I didn't start!" Katie said defensively.

"You were about to," Nick said with a knowing smile. "Okay munchkins, into the fireplace with you..."

Ashley went in first, calling out to the Burrow and Katie followed behind.

Nick brought up the rear and he couldn't help grinning as the familiar smell of fresh baked biscuits hit him. "Nana, we're here!" he called out. "Grandpa?"

Molly came rushing out from the kitchen. "Nicholas!" she exclaimed warmly. "And Ashley and Katie..." she hugged all three of them fiercely.

"For Merlin's sake Molly," Arthur said chuckling. "They can't breathe..."

Nick grinned. "Ash and Katie have been excited to see their costumes. Practically didn't even eat breakfast this morning..."

"I know you've never seen the movie Nana," Ashley said.

"You gave me that picture though," Molly said pulling at her ponytail. "And I think I did it justice, if I do say so myself."

"Speaking of pictures," Nick said "Ash, why don't you show your grandparents what you made?"

"Oh," Ashley said excitedly. "This is a present for you and Grandpa, Nana." she held out the painting proudly.

Arthur stood behind his wife and they both looked at their great-granddaughter's rendering of the Sydney Opera House.

"It's absolutely brilliant," Arthur told his great-granddaughter. "Absolutely brilliant."

Ashley blushed. "I tried to paint it just like I remembered it to be."

"Someday we'll be seeing her paintings in a museum," Molly told Nick.

"And you'll be watching me dance," Katie said not liking her big sister stealing the entire spotlight. "I'm going to be even famouser than Aunt Chiaki."

"More famous," Ashley corrected.

Katie rolled her eyes. "More famous than Aunt Chiaki."

"Both your girls are so talented," Molly said. "And I've been so busy making your costumes and Emma and Caroline's too. They're stopping by later to pick up their costumes. You should see little Emma's mermaid costume."

"I can't wait to see her in it," Nick laughed. "With that red hair of hers and that little body she's going to be the cutest mermaid around."

"She is," Molly said. "Perhaps you could stay and see for yourself. We could have a big lunch. I made all your favourites."

"I love everything you cook Nana," Nick said. "You know that."

"And she made everything," Arthur teased.

"You got any new artefacts to show me?" Nick asked his grandfather knowing that his girls would probably want to try on their costumes before eating.

"I do," Arthur brightened. "It's a Muggle contraption called a toastet, and I already have three but this does FOUR pieces of bread at once..."

"You mean a toaster Grandpa?" Nick asked, laughing.

"That's it," Arthur said nodding. "It's absolutely amazing."

"Great," Nick grinned, "Let's go take a look..."

Katie and Ashley followed their grandmother upstairs to Ginny's old bedroom which she'd turned into her sewing room.

"I can't wait to see them Nana," Katie said eagerly. "I even brought something I want to wear with it..."

"You mean Caroline actually trusts you with her tiara?" Ashley was shocked. "Even though you've been so mean to her lately?"

"I haven't been mean to her," Katie said dismissively. "And she let me borrow it because I'm her best friend. You're just jealous because you have no friends!"

"I have friends," Ashley said. "And I don't treat them mean like you do."

"Come on girls," Molly said. "Ashley why don't you go first?"

"Okay," Ashley shot a smug look at her sister as she saw the blue and white gingham dress. "Nana it's perfect!" she gasped when she saw the red slippers. "They're so sparkly! They're even more sparkly than Dorothy's!"

Molly beamed with pride. "You really like them?"

"It's beautiful," Ashley said. "I can't wait to try it on!" she dashed from the room, cradling the dress as if it were gold.

"That's really beautiful Nana," Katie said wondering why she hadn't thought to be Dorothy. She comforted herself in the thought that if Nana did such a great job on Ashley's, hers would be equally as fabulous.

"Yours is just as gorgeous sweetheart," Molly pulled the pink ballerina costume from the closet.

Katie turned around and the wide smile on her face fell as she looked at the pink costume. "That's...that's it?" she asked quietly.

Molly beamed with pride. "I made it just the way you said you'd like it." she played with the frilly skirt.

Her nose scrunched up as she stepped closer for a better look. It was baby pink colour and there were no sequins or glitter like she'd asked for. Well, that wasn't entirely true. There were some along the neckline, but it was a long sleeved costume and she'd told her great-grandmother that she wanted one with straps.

"What do you think?" Molly asked.

"It's nice," Katie said hesitantly.

"I'm so glad you love it," Molly said smiling down at her. "I based it off of one of those costumes Chiaki used to dance in..."

"Yeah," Katie replied quietly. "Thank you Nana."

"You're welcome sweetheart," Molly said. "Why don't you go and try it on?"

Katie took it wordlessly and headed for an empty room down the hall.

While Molly waited for her great-granddaughters to come back into the room, she set about making some last minute changes to Emma's mermaid costume.

Ashley finished putting on her costume and slipped into her red slippers. She heard Katie's mumbling coming from Ron's old bedroom and she knocked on the door. "Let me see your costume, Katie."

"Go away Ashley," Katie said, wiping at her eyes.

"Come on Kit Kat," Ashley said. "I promise not to make fun of the tiara." She pushed open the door and smiled at her little sister. "Katie that's so cute!"

Katie glared at her sister. "GO AWAY ASHLEY!" she screamed angrily.

Ashley was startled by her sister's tone. "I really mean it, Katie. You look really adorable."

Nick had also heard the scream as he'd come back in the house. "What's going on in here?" he asked.

"My costume," Katie said sobbing. "Look at it!"

Molly stood behind her grandson. "I-I thought you liked it..."

"Katherine Rose," Nick said, getting down on his knees. "Nana worked very hard on those costumes..."

Katie's lower lip trembled. "It's the wrong shade of pink, it has sleeves and I wanted sequins!"

"But I thought you wanted it to look like your aunt Chiaki's old costumes," Molly said, dismayed. "Katie, darling I'm so sorry..."

"If anyone should be apologising it should be Katie," Nick said firmly. "Your grandmother put a lot of hard work and effort into making this for you, Katie. It's a beautiful costume."

Katie felt another rush of tears coming on. Without another word, she turned and ran out of the room.

"Katie love," Molly called out. "Don't..."

"No Nana," Nick said firmly. "She's got to learn she can't always have things her way."

"She said she wanted to look as pretty as Chiaki," Molly said tears welling up in her own eyes. "She's always admired that photograph I have of Chiaki downstairs. I thought she'd want the same costume..."

"It's a beautiful costume Nana," Ashley said. "I bet once Caroline tells her it's pretty she'll change her mind."

"I'll start over," Molly said.

"No," Nick said standing back up. "She's either going to wear that costume or she's not going trick-or-treating."

"But I want her to be happy with it Nicholas." Molly protested.

"She will be," Nicholas said. "Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go and have a word with my daughter."

"Nana I love my costume so much," Ashley said, wanting to make her feel better.

"I'm so glad," Molly said giving her a hug. "I'm glad you love it, Ashley Beth." She just wished Katie felt the same.

Nick found Katie sitting at the old picnic table in the backyard. "Katherine Rose..."

Katie turned away so she wouldn't have to face her father. "I don't want you to yell at me anymore Daddy."

"I'm not going to yell at you Katie," Nick said sitting down. "But I'm going to ask you how you would feel if you spent all your time working hard on something for a person you really cared about. And when you showed it to them, they cried and said they didn't like it? How would you feel, Katie?"

"Pretty bad," she admitted.

"So how do you think Nana felt," Nick said handing Katie a handkerchief from his pocket.

"I'm sorry Daddy," Katie sniffled, wiping her eyes. "But Ashley's costume was just the way she wanted it and mine wasn't. Why does Ashley always get everything so perfect?"

"That's not true, Katie," Nick said. "But Ashley actually printed out a picture and gave it to your Nana. You, on the other hand, just told Nana that you wanted one just like Chiaki's and you've always liked the one in that picture on the mantelpiece."

Katie nodded. "Okay," she said. "I think I see what you mean now Daddy."

"Besides," Nick pinched his daughter's cheek. "I know something that might cheer you up."

"What?" she asked interestedly.

"Since your costume has long sleeves, you won't have to wear a cloak on Halloween like your sister will." Nick smiled. "Everyone will be able to see what you are."

Katie grinned. "That's right!"

"And your little crown will look perfect," Nick said. "Now, you know what you need to do, right?"

"Apologise," Katie replied.

"That's my girl," Nick said. "Come here you little ballerina..."

"I love you," Katie hugged her father.

"I love you too," Nick said picking her up.

Katie giggled as her father carried her back into the house. "All right," he said. "Go on up there and tell Nana that you do love your costume."

Katie walked upstairs and found Molly sitting with Ashley in the sewing room. She was showing her Caroline and Emma's costumes.

"Nana?" she said, hovering a bit shyly at the door.

Molly and Ashley turned around.

"Katie," Molly said quietly.

"I'm going to go and change," Ashley said shooting her sister a warning look before leaving the room.

"I really do like my costume," Katie said before her great grandmother could say anything else.

"Really?" Molly asked.

"I told you I wanted it to look like Aunt Chiaki's." Katie said. "And it does. So it's really perfect." she smiled tremulously.

"I'm so glad," Molly said hugging her. "And you do look beautiful, Katie."

"Thank you Nana," Katie hugged her back tightly. "Will you put the tiara on me?"

"Of course," Molly said wiping a tear from her cheek. "Is it in your bag?"

Katie nodded. "Caroline said I could borrow it until after Halloween."

Molly pulled the silver tiara out of Katie's bag and then placed it gently on her head. "Just like an angel..."

Katie turned and looked at herself in the mirror. "I like where you put the sequins," she said, a genuine smile on her face.

"I'm glad," Molly said smiling at her.

Katie turned and hugged her again. "Thank you for my costume."

"Katie you look really cute," Ashley said coming back in. "And you know I wouldn't tell you that unless I meant it."

"Thanks Ash," Katie said genuinely. "I liked yours too."

"I think Caroline's here if you want to show her how you look with the tiara," Ashley replied.

"Oooh!" Katie said eagerly holding onto her tiara as she sprinted down the stairs. "Caroline!"

"Katie!" Caroline beamed at her friend. "Oooh you're a beautiful ballerina!"

"You look really adorable," Allison said to Katie.

"Thanks Aunt Allie," Katie said. "Can I take Caroline up to Nana so she can try hers on?"

"Go too!" Emma said hopping off of Jon's lap. "Em go too!"

"We'll help her," Ashley said. "Is that okay?"

"Thanks Ashley," Allison said.

"Come on Em," Ashley held out her hand. "I'll help you up the stairs okay?"

"Kay," Emma said happily.

"I cannot wait to see her in the mermaid costume," Allison said sitting back down with Jon. "And Caroline is all upset because you never went trick-or treating..."

"We never really were into that," Jon said. "Mainly because we knew if we got sweets, Dad would eat them all."

"We used to have so much fun," Allison said. "Frankie and me would dress up and Dad used to take us all over the neighbourhood."

"I'm looking forward to taking the girls out," Jon said. "And I won't touch any of their sweets."

"Caroline's already promised to share half of her take with you," Allison said grinning at him. "Since you missed out on all those years."

Jon chuckled. "She's sweet."

"And when we were at Hogwarts you were always getting into trouble on Halloween," Allison teased.

"I got into trouble year round," Jon boasted.

"Your last Halloween you didn't get into trouble," Allison said. "Well, if we'd been caught, we'd have gotten into trouble..."

Jon grinned devilishly as Nick rolled his eyes. "Are you two going to snog? Cause if you are I think I'll go get a head start on the feast Nana made."

"We won't snog in front of you," Allison said. "What all did Molly make by the way? It smells delicious..."

"According to Grandpa, she made a bit of everything," Nick replied.

"Where is Grandpa anyway?" Jon asked.

"Out back fiddling with his new toaster," Nick grinned.

"Don't tell him this, but Josh is planning on giving him a computer for Christmas," Jon said keeping his voice low.

"Oh boy," Allison grinned. "That'll keep him busy for ages."

"We'll never see him again," Jon joked.

"Okay!" Ashley called down. "Get ready for Princess... what's her name again Caroline?"

"Jasmine," Caroline whispered.

"Princess Jasmine and Princess Ariel!" Ashley announced.

Caroline held her sister's hand and they both walked downstairs. Molly had charmed Emma's costume so the toddler could walk quite easily.

"Dada!" Emma said waving at him. "Wook!"

"Hey!" Jon laughed. "Look at my gorgeous princesses! Wait until your Uncle Will and Aunt Frankie see you both!"

"When we go to the wizard houses, I get to use my flying carpet," Caroline said proudly.

"That's right, only in the wizard parts of the city," Allison smiled at her two daughters.

"And look at this little mermaid," Nick said picking up Emma. "You are going to get loads of sweets."

Emma giggled as Nick tickled her side. "Eat!"

"Are we sure that wasn't her first word?" Nick asked Jon laughing.

"If not her first, it's her favourite," Jon grinned. "Come to Dada."

Nick handed Emma over to Jon and she hugged her father tightly around the neck.

"I wish Sukie and Mas could go trick-or-treating too," Caroline said. "But they're too little."

"Maybe next year Angel," Allison tucked a strand of hair behind Caroline's ear.

"And the triplets too," Molly said coming down the stairs.

"They're getting so big Nana," Jon said.

"I don't know if Lizzy will want to go back to work when she finishes her leave," Allison said. "She's enjoying being home with the babies."

"That'll be the day," Jon said. "Liz not wanting to work?"

"Jules was the same way," Nick said. "And she told me that Hermione was also like that when Saffron was born."

"I was going to go back to work after Caroline was born," Allison said. "But I just couldn't do it. I was coming home at around six and then she'd be going to bed. I felt like I wasn't getting to see her and that I was missing so much."

"She'll probably have to hire someone, even if she doesn't go back to work," Nick said. "Three babies is a lot to look after."

"That's an understatement," Jon said. "Al has to look after three, don't you love? Caroline, Em, and me."

"You're just like a big kid," Allison gave her husband a kiss.

"We'll have fresh toast with our lunch!" Arthur said enthusiastically coming back into the sitting room carrying a tray full of toast. "That toastet thing is fantastic!"

"Toaster Grandpa," Nick was laughing. "Nice job though. You didn't burn anything!"

"Four slices at once!" Arthur said holding the tray up triumphantly. "Jonathan, I'm going to show it to you after lunch. It's amazing."

"I know," Jon said smiling at him. "We have one at home, Grandpa."

"You never told me that," Arthur said in dismay.

"Al has loads of gadgets in the kitchen," Jon told him. "We have this thing called a food processor..."

"A food processor," Arthur said thoughtfully.

"You can put any vegetable or fruit in there and in a matter of seconds, they're sliced or diced," Allison explained.

Arthur looked like it was his birthday. "Might I drop by and see it?" he asked eagerly.

"Sure," Allison replied. "You're welcome any time, you know that."

Arthur was delighted.

"Dada!" Emma called out. "Dada eat!"

Jon picked her up. "Does my little mermaid want to eat?"

"Eat!" Emma laughed happily. "Byooful Dada!"

"Why thank you Em," Jon said dramatically. "I think I look byooful too. Your mum said this jumper went with my eyes..."

"Don't teach our daughter how to be conceited," Allison took Emma.

"Daddy's going to be in the doghouse with Grandpa," Caroline said giggling.

"What's con---," Katie said curiously. "What's that word mean, Aunt Allie?"

"It means you think you're always the best," Allison tried to explain. "And you always put yourself before others." she smiled at Katie. "Jon's really not conceited sweetheart. I was teasing him."

"Oh," Katie said thoughtfully.

Ashley bit back her comment that her sister fit that word to a tee. Things were going well now, and she didn't want to upset her great-grandparents or father anymore.

"Come on Caroline," Allison said. "I want you and Em to change before we go eat."

"Kay Mummy," Caroline said. "I can't wait until Halloween!"

"Ha-ween!" Emma chirped.

Katie and Ashley had already changed out of their costumes and sat down beside their father.

"Mummy will be home soon, right?" Katie asked.

"That's right," Nick said. "She'll be home this evening sometime. She had to be at Hogwarts today for something."

"I think it will be great when I start going there and she'll be there," Ashley said resting her head on Nick's shoulder.

"I'm sure Saffron enjoys having her around," Arthur said.

"She does," Nick nodded, slipping an arm around his girls. "Jules is always talking about it."

"And she'll be around to keep your brother out of trouble," Arthur said to Jon.

"No one's doing as good a job at that as Alexa," Jon chuckled. "R.J. actually writes to me and Josh about her. He's giving us ammo and he doesn't even know it."

"Yeah, I'd pipe down about that Boo Bear," Nick said with a wicked grin.

"Sod off," was Jon's reply as he went into the kitchen.

*** *** ***

Frankie knocked on the door again. "Madeline Molly Weasley. It's just me and I promise no one else is with me. Come on. Open up..."

Frankie couldn't imagine what her friend was going through. Frankie felt like the rug had been pulled out from under her when Will told her this morning what had happened. It just didn't seem right. Over the past few months, she'd spent a great deal of time with both Ethan and Maddie and couldn't imagine them breaking up over anything. And this---if it was true---was just too horrible to imagine.

"Maddie!" Frankie knocked again. "Come on, I've got coffee, scones and jam here! I'm not leaving until you let me in!"

Maddie pulled the covers back and grabbed her robe. Frankie wasn't going to go away. Slowly making her way to the door, Maddie tried to block out the image of Ethan holding Bree on that sofa out of her mind.

"There she is," Frankie said, smiling softly. "I'd ask how you are, but I think I have a pretty good idea..."

Maddie nodded wordlessly and ushered Frankie inside. The smell of fresh pastries would normally have her salivating, but the thought of food made her physically ill.

Frankie set the food down and gave her friend a hug. "I'm here for you Maddie," she said.

"How--how did you find out?" Maddie asked weakly.

"Ethan came over last night," Frankie said. "Will let him in, and he told me this morning what happened."

"Did he tell you what really happened?" Maddie asked bitterly. "Or his version of events?"

"He told us what he said happened," Frankie said. "And I believe him. But I'm also here to be supportive of you Maddie."

"You believe him?" Maddie asked incredulously. "Frankie? How would you have felt if you walked in on Will right after he'd shagged his ex? Something tells me you wouldn't want me coming by with tea and scones and pretending everything was okay!"

"In my opinion, it seemed like too convenient a set up, the way he described it," Frankie said calmly. "And I'm not pretending like everything is okay. I'm your friend, and I'm here to be supportive of you. If you want to scream about Ethan, then I'll listen."

Maddie felt terrible. "I'm sorry Frankie. I didn't mean to blow up at you like that. You're just being a great friend."

"It's understandable," Frankie said. "You know, I'd probably be the same way you are right now. I know it had to look just terrible, to see something like that." she hugged Maddie again. "I just wish I knew what to do to help you both."

"Give me a Time Turner," Maddie said sinking down on the sofa.

Frankie handed her friend one of the coffee cups. "I know you probably don't want to eat or drink anything, but you should."

"I haven't eaten anything since yesterday at lunch," Maddie admitted. "It seems like a lifetime ago."

The two women were silent for a few moments. "He's really upset," Frankie ventured. "He looks worse than you do, if that's any comfort at all."

"Probably because he can't have his cake and eat it to anymore," Maddie said before taking a sip of her coffee.

"Can I ask you something?" Frankie's tone was still hesitant. "And you'll answer me, honestly?"

"Okay," Maddie replied. "Go ahead..."

"Do you really, honestly, think that Ethan would cheat on you?" Frankie asked directly.

"I never thought he would," Maddie answered truthfully. "Until last night when I saw it with my own two eyes, Frankie."

"Ethan said he thinks it was some sort of set up," Frankie leaned back against the sofa. "That's why I said it seemed rather convenient- the Firewhisky, the fact that you and Mason were coming to meet them and just happened upon them like that..."

"No," Maddie said shaking her head. "They probably just lost track of time and then...and then..."

Frankie sighed. "I can tell you don't really want to listen to anyone defending Ethan right now--"

"I saw it," Maddie interjected. Frankie pulled a confused face. "I saw it and I actually convinced myself it was a bad dream."

"You had a vision about this?" Frankie blinked.

Maddie nodded. "Not about him and Bree shagging, but about him and I having a horrible fight and me giving him back his ring and him leaving. It all happened." Tears welled up in Maddie's eyes. "Frankie, I feel like everything I trusted and believed in has fallen apart. That nothing we felt for each other was real."

"That isn't true!" Frankie exclaimed. "Maddie he loves you. He loves you so much!"

"Not anymore," Maddie said quietly. "He's in love with Bree now."

"If he was," Frankie tried again to reason with her friend. "Would he have gone on and on all morning about how he wanted to find out what happened so he could work things out with you? Would he have even come back here last night?"

Maddie wanted to believe Frankie. What her friend was saying did make sense, but Maddie knew what she saw. "I don't know, Frankie. I don't know anything anymore..."

"Just promise me you'll think things through here," Frankie said gently. "I know what you saw was bad. But just remember that what you and Ethan feel for each other is more powerful than that."

"I've been doing nothing but think," Maddie said with a hollow laugh.

"I have to get going," Frankie said, looking at her watch. "I have to be at work in ten minutes." she stood up, as did Maddie. "I really wish there was something else I could do, for both of you."

"Thanks for stopping by," Maddie said. "You've been a good friend to me, Frankie."

"You've been a good friend for me too," Frankie said sincerely.

Maddie hugged her. "We've been through a lot."

"Can you believe that cow Alicia still hasn't owled me or rung me or anything?" Frankie asked. "Honestly... all these years we were friends and she just doesn't even care."

"She's losing a great friend," Maddie said giving Frankie a smile.

"I am pretty great aren't I?" Frankie teased.

"Frankie the Fabulous," Maddie said laughing.

"I rather like that," Frankie said. "I'm going to tell Will about it..."

"Give him my best," Maddie said walking her friend out. "And I still want to help you with your dinner party."

"Are you sure?" Frankie asked. "I mean, it's just a few weeks away- we were thinking of postponing it actually--"

"Don't do that on my account," Maddie said. "You've worked really hard on your new home and I know how you've been looking forward to this."

"I just want you to be happy Mads," Frankie told her as she put her cloak on.

"I know," Maddie said. "And I appreciate what you're trying to do, I just don't know what to do or how to feel, Frankie."

"Just think things through before you go about doing anything," Frankie said. "I hate seeing you both in pain like this."

"I will," Maddie said giving her friend one last hug. "You'd better go. You don't want to be late."

"I'll owl you later," Frankie said. "Let me know if you need anything okay?"

"Thanks Frankie," Maddie said. "And thanks again for breakfast."

"Anytime," Frankie smiled at her and left.

Maddie walked back toward the bedroom. She'd owled in sick and hoped that Smythe would understand. She just couldn't face the possibility of running into Ethan or Bree. But Frankie's words still echoed in her head. Ethan was in pain. Was it possible that he had been set up? But who would want to do something like that? No one could be that cruel and cold and as far as she knew, there was no one who held a grudge or had a vendetta against either of them.

Meanwhile, Ethan had just arrived at work. He passed the office he shared with Justin and headed straight for his father's. Knocking on the door, he hoped Harry was already in.

"Nev, I haven't finished that report yet," Harry called out absently.

"It's me Dad," Ethan peeked around the door. "Can I come in? I really need to talk to you."

"Sure," Harry said motioning for him to come in. "I always have time for you, Ethan." He could tell right away from the look on his son's face that something was very wrong.

Ethan shut the door behind him and rubbed the back of his neck wearily. He'd gotten minimal sleep the night before- every time he closed his eyes all he saw was Maddie, screaming at him to leave. "Something happened last night..." he began.

"Something with the case?" Harry asked. "I thought you, Justin and Bree were making progress?"

"No, not with the case," Ethan sighed as he sat on the sofa just next to the door. "Mads and I... we... well... she sort of saw something that wasn't true and she kicked me out."

Harry stood up and walked over to the sofa.

"What did she see Ethan?" Harry asked taking a seat.

"Bree and I, we got to the office last night and there was some tea there, so we both had some," Ethan explained, trying to push himself into remembering more. "And then the next thing I know, I'm waking up next to her and we're both starkers. And Maddie and Mason are standing in the door."

Harry stared at his son for the longest time before saying anything.

"You and Bree---" Harry started to say.

"No!" Ethan exclaimed.

"Okay," Harry said holding up a hand. "I'm just trying to figure out what's happened, Ethan."

Ethan raked his hands through his messy hair. "I've been going over and over it in my mind and I keep going back to one thing- that we were drugged. But I can't figure out anyone who would have something to gain by doing this."

"Why don't we start by going to the scene of the crime, as it were?" Harry suggested. "Did you clean up before you left last night?"

"No," Ethan shook his head. "But the thing is, when we woke up, the tea was gone and there was an empty bottle of Firewhisky in it's place. I haven't had Firewhisky in weeks."

"Well let's go check it out anyway," Harry said standing up. He led his son down the corridor to the interrogation room. In the distance, he could hear Justin telling his fellow Aurors about being newly engaged.

Ethan heard this as well but didn't give it much thought. "I wanted to ask if you knew if there was any sort of surveillance on these rooms at all."

"Only when we're interviewing suspects," Harry replied.

Ethan sighed. "Damn it," he muttered.

Harry opened the door and turned on the light. The empty bottle of Firewhisky was still on the table among all the books and paperwork. "You and Bree were the only ones up here last night?" Harry asked.

"Yeah," Ethan nodded. "Justin took Sarah out- you just heard him going on about being engaged- so Bree and I said we'd take care of what needed to be done last night. Maddie and Mason were to meet us up here around half past seven."

Harry nodded. "Did anyone else have access to the room? Other than you, Justin, or Bree? You were locking it before you left, weren't you?"

"Justin was the last one out the night before," Ethan replied. "I don't know if he left it unlocked."

"You might want to ask him," Harry said.

Ethan nodded. "I just don't get it Dad. I don't get any of this."

"Think really hard," Harry suggested. "Do you know of anyone who might have an axe to grind against you or Maddie? Or perhaps Bree? Someone obviously set you up so Maddie and Bree's boyfriend could catch you..."

"Sarah's been pushing us to get back together, but she'd never do anything like this," Ethan said, avoiding the sofa where he and Bree had been lying the night before. "There's this other girl Jackie that hates Maddie, but we haven't seen her in ages and I don't even think she has clearance to get up into this section of the Ministry."

Harry leaned against the table and gave his son a reassuring smile. "We'll get to the bottom of this, Ethan. We will."

Ethan nodded. "I can't live without her Dad."

"I know," Harry said. "That's the way I feel about your mother; the way I've always felt about her. And we've both been tested so much over the years."

"How did you do it?" Ethan asked. "Like that time with that Gordon bloke- how'd you get her to see your side of things?"

"I nearly lost her," Harry said quietly. "I just never felt right about that bloke. Something just seemed off about him, but he always knew the right thing to say or had the perfect explanation for everything. Things started happening and I had your Aunt Luna help me research his background."

"What do you think I can do?" Ethan asked. "To get Mads to believe me?"

"Just keep trying," Harry replied. "I remember when I showed your mother what I had compiled on Gordon. She didn't even want to look at it. We had the worst fight we've ever had that night. I walked out."

"I think you told me that," Ethan said. "Mads kind of the same way with this. She wouldn't listen to me at all last night."

"I don't imagine she would have," Harry said. "She's hurt, Ethan."

"Maybe she'd listen to me today," Ethan said, brightening a bit.

"Maybe," Harry said encouragingly. "Where are you staying son?"

"Will and Frankie's," Ethan replied.

"You can stay with us if you'd like," Harry offered. "We definitely have the room."

"I know," Ethan said. "I guess... I don't know. I really don't want anyone to know about what happened. I feel ashamed even though I don't believe anything went on."

"Your mother and I won't tell anyone," Harry promised.

"I don't want Ron and Luna to think less of me," Ethan said quietly.

"Maddie's probably told them by now," Harry said gently. "But they've known you since you were born, Ethan. They're your godparents. They know what type of man you are."

"I hope so," Ethan said, scuffing his foot along the floor. "I just hate most of all that Maddie believes this."

"I know," Harry said. "And I'll do whatever I can to help you Ethan. We'll find out what happened."

There was a knock on the door and both men turned to see Bree standing in the doorway. Her face was pale and her eyes were red.

"I'm sorry," she said quietly. "I didn't know you were in here."

"Bree," Ethan stood up. "We were just... we're just trying to figure out what happened here last night."

Bree's cheeks reddened and she looked away from Harry. She had always admired and respected Ethan's parents. She couldn't bear the thought of them thinking she was the type of person who did something like this.

"Ethan told me he thinks the two of you were drugged," Harry put a hand on her arm.

Bree started to cry again. "I'm so sorry, Mr. Potter."

"Don't apologise," Harry said, patting the young woman's back in a comforting manner. "I want to help you both try and figure out what happened."

"We couldn't have done this, Mr. Potter," Bree said sobbing into his shoulder. "We couldn't have."

"I don't think you did," Harry said. "Neither of you is the type Bree."

Bree looked up at him. "I'm so glad someone believes us..."

"Sorry to interrupt Harry," Lupin said peeking his head inside. "But I need that report. Neville said you were working on it..."

"Right," Harry said. "I'll be right there. I'm just taking care of something else first."

"Go on ahead Dad," Ethan said. "We'll still be here when you get back."

"I won't be long," Harry promised, following Remus out.

Bree took off her cloak and set her bag down. She too averted her eyes from the sofa and instead took a seat at the table. "Did this really happen?" she asked Ethan weakly. "Yesterday at this time, I was so happy. And now..."

"I just can't make any sense of this at all," Ethan looked at the bottle of Firewhisky. "I know we didn't drink that. And the last thing I remember is us having tea."

"Me too," Bree said wiping at her eyes. "How's Maddie?"

"She kicked me out," Ethan offered her a tissue. "I spent last night at a friend's place."

"Thanks," Bree said taking the tissue and dabbing at her eyes. "Sounds like she took it as well as Mason. He's..."

"He's what?" Ethan prompted gently.

"He told me he never wanted to see me again," Bree choked out. "And...and he's moving back to the States."

"What?" Ethan was aghast. "But nothing happened between us Bree. I'm more and more convinced that this is some sort of set up."

"I tried to tell that to Mason, but he didn't want to listen," Bree said looking over at him. "Oh, Ethan!"

Despite what had or hadn't happened that last night, Ethan moved over next to her and gave her a hug.

"What are we going to do Ethan?" Bree asked hugging him back.

"We have to figure out a way to straighten things out before Mason goes back to the States," Ethan said, suddenly determined. "There's no way in hell I'm going to let something that probably didn't even happen tear us all apart!"

Maddie decided to take Frankie's advice. She owed it to Ethan to at least listen to him. With a heavy heart, she made her way to his office. One of his fellow Aurors told her he'd seen Ethan in the interrogation room and Maddie steeled herself before going back to the scene of the crime.

"Ethan," Bree said looking up at him. "I don't know what I'd do without you."

"I'm not that great," he said. "I just care about you Bree."

"You are," Bree said pecking him on the cheek. "And I care about you too."

Maddie stared at the scene in front of her in stupefied disbelief. "I see I was right," she said, her voice shaking. "And to think I was coming here to hear your side of things." she laughed harshly.

78. Chapter 78

Authors’ note: Thanks for the reviews, guys! And for not hating us too much over the back to back cliffies. Sometimes, they have to be used. This chapter has more Ethan and Maddie fallout and of course Jared reappears in this chapter, too. We hope you enjoy it! Thanks guys for sticking with us!

CHAPTER SEVENTY EIGHT

Bree and Ethan both stiffened.

"Maddie," Ethan said cursing his rotten luck. "Please, this isn't--"

"Isn't what I think?" Maddie crossed her arms and stepped back towards the door. "Gosh, this is just like last night. Not what I think my ARSE!"

"Maddie," Bree said coming to Ethan's defence. "It isn't. Ethan was just comforting me. Mason's chucked me..."

"And for the right reasons," Maddie was angrier than she could ever remember being.

"She's not to blame here Maddie," Ethan said. "Look, I know you don't want to believe this, but I think Bree and I were set up..."

"You think," Maddie shook her head. "This whole thing disgusts me," she felt tears well up in her eyes. "I came here today to listen to you and I just found her in your arms again. Once might have been an accident but twice is just too big a coincidence. I guess I'm just glad I didn't walk in ten minutes from now. I really don't want to see either of you starkers."

"Maddie!" Ethan exclaimed.

"Goodbye," she said coldly.

"Mads, wait!" Ethan called after her, but she was already gone.

Harry had seen the blonde run out of the interrogation room and he caught up to her just as she reached the lift.

"Maddie," Harry said gently putting a hand on her shoulder.

"Oh," she said, wiping her eyes. "I didn't hear you."

"Ethan told me what happened sweetheart," Harry said softly.

"I don't understand any of it," Maddie said as fresh tears came to her eyes. "I love him so much and he... he just..."

Harry gave her a hug. "He loves you too, Maddie. I know you don't want to believe that after what you saw, but he does. And I believe him when he says he was set up."

"I just walked in on him holding her," Maddie objected. "I'm sorry but... I just can't be around him right now."

"Bree's had a tough time of it too," Harry said. "Maddie, I know you're hurting..."

"That's the understatement here," she said, looking away from him.

"I know my son Maddie," Harry said. "He loves you more than anyone else in this world."

"I have to go," Maddie said quietly. "I need some time to myself."

"Okay," Harry said. "If you need anything..."

"Thank you," Maddie whispered, before pulling her cloak around her and getting into the lift.

*** *** ***

Saffron, R.J. and Alexa had just arrived in the Great Hall for lunch and were currently sitting down when the mail came.

"Bit early today isn't it?" Saffron asked. "Usually it doesn't come until lunch is halfway over."

"Maybe Puddlemere is already sending me fan mail," R.J. said smugly. "The fans have probably heard what a find I am and are already wanting to shower me with attention... "

Alexa and Saffron shared a look and rolled their eyes. "R.J. trust me, your ego doesn't need any more inflating." Saffron said.

"Says the girl whose ego is almost as heavy as mine," R.J. said. "Speaking of fan clubs, looks like your boyfriend's recruited some new members.

Saffron turned toward the Ravenclaw table where sure enough Peter was sitting surrounded by seven or eight girls who were hanging on his every word.

"It's a good thing I'm not the jealous type," she commented. "And he's only got eyes for me."

"Looks like you two are the only ones who are getting anything," Alexa said as Saffron's owl dropped two fat envelopes for her. R.J. was already tearing into his own letter.

"Alas," R.J. said. "Not a fan...just mum and dad."

"Well, they are your fans," Alexa said laughing.

Saffron wanted to join in the laughter, but her eyes were frozen to the page in front of her. "Oh my God," she whispered.

"What is it?" Alexa asked concern etched across her face. "Saffy..."

"I'm going to kill that bloody wanker!" R.J. said as he read the opening paragraph of his letter.

Saffron snapped her emerald gaze to his. "You'd better not be implying what I think you are," she said, knowing exactly what he was reading. "This has to be a joke."

"Your brother cheated on my sister," R.J. hissed. "I need to get in touch with Josh and Jon and see what we should do..."

"Ethan would never cheat on Maddie," Saffron snapped. "There's obviously a misunderstanding."

"She saw it with her own two eyes," R.J. said angrily. "Do you think my sister is a liar, Saffron? Is that what you're saying?"

"She didn't say that," Alexa said, already gearing herself up for another Saffron-R.J. row.

"Look R.J., Ethan is Maddie's first boyfriend. She probably saw him with another girl and assumed the worst." Saffron folded her arms and gave him a steely glare.

"Assumed the worst?" R.J. asked folding up his letter and sticking it in his pocket. "Yes, well he's going to be sorry he messed with a Weasley is all I have to say about that."

"You of all people should know about misunderstandings," Saffron spat out. "I've got two words for you, R.J.---Christina Grant."

"Big difference there, Saffron," R.J. said icily. "I wasn't dating Lex when that happened."

"But you still kept it from her," Saffron retorted. "And if you do anything to my brother, I'll hex you so bad you'll regret it the rest of your life."

"I'm shaking in my boots," R.J. said sarcastically.

"You damn well better be," Saffron said angrily.

Alexa clamped her hand over R.J.'s mouth. "Okay, you guys please do not do this. This isn't your battle. This is between Ethan and Maddie..."

"It wasn't our battle until Mr. Big Mouth stepped in," Saffron said hotly.

"Saffy," Alexa said. "This has nothing to do with either of you. You both are very loyal to your family. But, you're also friends, most of the time, anyway."

"She thinks her brother can do no wrong," R.J. argued. "She just hates to admit she was wrong, Lex."

"That is so not true," Saffron glared at him. "I know he does wrong- he's wrong all the time. I just know him and I KNOW he'd never do anything to intentionally hurt Maddie!"

"Yeah, I'm sure he didn't intentionally shag some other girl," R.J. said in that same sarcastic tone which only infuriated Saffron even more.

Alexa put her head in her hands.

Saffron stood up and put her hands on her hips. "You are an idiot Ronald Weasley Jr.! You think you're some sort of expert on relationships because you dated one of the biggest slags in school?"

They'd attracted quite a bit of attention and not only from their fellow Gryffindors.

"You are going to keep throwing her in my face for the rest of our lives, aren't you?" R.J. asked standing up as well.

"Guys!" Alexa was between them. "Can we please take this outside the Great Hall?" she hissed.

"If she wants to leave that's fine with me," R.J. said. "She can go write to her cheating brother..."

Saffron poked him hard in the chest. "Don't you dare call him that." she snapped as Peter left the Ravenclaw table to come over by her.

"R.J.," Alexa snapped. "Stop this right now. This is NOT YOUR FIGHT."

"I'm out of here," R.J. said grabbing his bag and slinging it over his shoulder.

"Go after him like you always do," Saffron said angrily to Alexa. "Take his side..."

"No," Alexa sat back down. "I'm going to have lunch."

"You're not coming with me?" R.J. asked in surprise.

"She's staying with me," Saffron said smugly.

"I'm not on anyone's side," Alexa said, pouring herself another glass of juice. "But I'm sick and tired of being put in the middle while the two of you tear each other down."

Peter put a hand on Saffron's shoulder. "Why don't we go take a walk?" he suggested.

"I'd like that," Saffron said. "I'll, um, catch up with you later, Lex."

Peter led Saffron away and R.J. sat back down beside his girlfriend.

"I'm sorry Lex," he said.

Alexa shook her head. "Why do you two always have to have a go at each other?" she asked. "It's hard being put between you both. I love you R.J. but Saffron is my best friend."

"We do kind of put you in the middle," R.J. admitted sheepishly.

Alexa stared at him, her eyebrow raised. "Kind of?"

"Okay, we always put you in the middle," he corrected. "I'm sorry, Lexie."

Alexa gave him a grudging smile. "I'm not angry with you. But I would appreciate it if you two would keep out of your siblings' affairs." she winced. "Okay bad pun. But Ethan and Maddie are adults and they'll handle this. Without comments and hexes and whatnot from you lot."

"You're right," R.J. said. "I just...I'm really protective of my sisters." He had never told her about what happened with Drew.

"That's understandable," Alexa said, squeezing his hand. "Most brothers are."

"So, do you and Saffy ever argue about me?" R.J. asked glad that she wasn't angry anymore.

"No," Alexa replied. "I mostly gush about you and she gushes about Peter."

"So, I'm gushable am I?" R.J. asked. "What sorts of things do you gush about? Just out of curiosity, of course."

"That remains to be something between myself and Saffron," Alexa said with a smile. "But yes, you're quite gushable. Especially when you kiss me."

"Like this...." R.J. said leaning in.

"Miss O'Leary," Professor McGonagall said tapping her on the shoulder. "Mr. Weasley..."

"Yes Professor?" Alexa asked, her face as red as her hair.

"I’m sure you and Mr. Weasley are well aware of school policy on fraternization in the Great Hall," McGonagall reminded her.

"We weren't fraternizing," R.J. said innocently. "She, um, she had something in her eye and I was just helping her..."

"Mr. Weasley," McGonagall said sternly.

"We're sorry, Professor," Alexa said.

"I didn't want Alexa to go around with something in her eye," R.J. said. "If you want to go around with that on your conscience..."

Alexa kicked him under the table and smiled innocently at their professor, who gave them a disapproving look before moving on.

"Helping me get something out of my eye?" Alexa asked.

"Best I could come up with under pressure," R.J. said sheepishly.

"You can do better than that," Alexa teased.

"Come for a walk with me before class and I'll show you how much better I can do," R.J. flirted.

"Are you asking me to fraternize with you?" Alexa said batting her eyelashes at him.

"You've done more than just fraternize with me since summer," R.J. replied. "Need I remind you how many nights you've snuck into my bed now?"

"Have you ever thought that I find your bed much more comfortable than mine?" Alexa asked him innocently. "The pillows are softer and the room is actually warmer than mine, too."

"You're warmer because you're right next to me," R.J. said, his eyes gone dark as he smiled at her.

"That's true," she said smiling back at him. "Good thing McGonagall doesn't know about that..."

"And never will if I have anything to say about it," R.J. put his arm around her.

*** *** ***

Despite the fact that Ethan had left their flat, Maddie found it too hard to stay there. She had stayed the previous night at Jon and Allison's and was currently over at Josh and Lizzy's helping her sister in law with the triplets.

"I appreciate you coming over," Lizzy said to Maddie. "It's nice to have an extra set of hands."

"I'm glad to help," Maddie said, mustering a smile.

"Aidan certainly has taken to you," Lizzy said watching Maddie feeding him his bottle.

"He's so darling," Maddie said. "You and Josh are so lucky."

"They're happy and healthy," Lizzy said. "That's all we could have asked for."

Aidan opened his blue eyes and looked up at Maddie, making her smile. "Hello handsome," she said, pressing a kiss to his forehead.

Lizzy knew that was the first genuine smile she'd seen from her sister-in-law in ages. She couldn't imagine what she was going through. Maddie didn't seem to want to talk about it though and Lizzy hadn't pressed her.

"Josh is going to be home soon," Lizzy said. "He was bringing home a pizza. I hope you'll stay."

"That would be lovely," Maddie said gratefully. "Thank you Lizzy."

"We love having you around," Lizzy said smiling at her. From the nursery, she could hear Casey starting to cry. "I'll be right back..."

"Sure," Maddie said, setting Aidan's bottle aside and putting the towel on her shoulder so she could burp him.

The front door swung open and Josh came in carrying a large pizza box. "Liz! I'm home! And I----Maddie? What are you doing here?"

"Hi Josh," Maddie replied. "I was just helping your wife out."

"I'm sure she appreciated that," Josh said setting the box down. "And how's my little guy today?"

"Very full," Maddie said, handing the baby to her brother.

Josh chuckled. "I thought we Weasleys were never full."

Maddie smiled at that. "Perhaps as he gets older, he'll get Dad's stomach."

"Or yours," Josh teased. "It's so good to see you, Madeline."

"Thanks Josh," Maddie replied. "I just... I didn't want to burden Jon and Allie but I just don't want to be at the flat right now."

"You're never a burden, you know that Maddie," Josh said. "We'd do anything for you."

"Thanks Josh," Maddie said appreciatively. "It's nice to know I can lean on you lot."

"Always," Josh said. His eyes lit up when Lizzy came into the room carrying Casey. "There's my two girls."

Lizzy grinned. "Hello love," she kissed her husband.

"Where's Noah?" Josh asked.

"He's still sleeping," Lizzy replied.

"How's work Josh?" Maddie asked, taking Aidan back as Josh set the pizza on the coffee table.

"Busy as always," Josh said. "I'm trying to catch up from all the time I took off."

Maddie nodded as a knock was heard at the door.

"Are we expecting anyone?" Josh asked, heading for the hallway.

Lizzy shook her head. "Not that I know of."

"Drew!" Josh said in surprise as he pulled the door open. "Hey Dar!"

"Joshie!" Darla said enveloping her brother in a big hug.

"Hiya Maddie," Drew said. "We didn't know you were here."

"I just came over to help Lizzy for awhile," Maddie replied, happy to see her sisters.

"How's the house hunting going?" Lizzy asked.

"Good," Drew said, hanging up her cloak.

"We found one near the West End," Darla replied. "It's in a Muggle area, but we're having it set up to the Floo network. And that's where our office will be as well so it's all really convenient."

"We're ready to have you both back for good," Josh said. "And you have to stay for dinner. Right Liz?"

"We'd love to have you," Lizzy said. "Maddie's already agreed to stay."

"Count us in," Darla replied.

"Great!" Josh said happily.

"Let me see my nephew," Darla said, holding her arms out for Aidan.

Drew hung back a little. It had been hard to see her brother and Lizzy with their new babies and not think of all that had happened.

"He's getting so big!" Darla said taking Aidan in her arms.

"Tell me about it," Lizzy said. "I wish I could take a time turner already- I'm scared to blink because when I open my eyes they'll be ready for Hogwarts."

"And this little heartbreaker will be dating by then," Darla said as Lizzy sat Casey in her bouncy seat.

"No she won't," Josh replied immediately.

"Okay Neville," Lizzy teased. "Who wants pizza?"

Maddie hadn't eaten much since the whole situation with Ethan and Bree had begun. "I'm okay right now," she said, even though her stomach was rumbling.

"You are eating," Darla said firmly. "I heard your stomach growling."

Drew put a comforting arm on her sister's. "Come on Mads," she said. "Eat with us."

Darla held out Aidan. "Please Auntie Maddie. Eat the pizza!"

Maddie couldn't help smiling. "Twist my arm..."

"Yay!" Darla said.

"I’ll go and get the plates," Drew volunteered.

"Thanks Drew," Lizzy said. "They're in the cupboard above the stove."

"I'll help," Maddie offered.

Drew led the way into the kitchen.

"I'm so glad you two stopped by," Maddie said. She saw the sad look on her sister's face. "Drew..."

"Sometimes it's still hard," Drew confessed in a whisper. "I mean, I don't begrudge the fact that they had three babies Maddie. I just... I see what I'm missing."

Maddie hugged her sister. "I'm so sorry Drew."

"It's okay Mads," Drew replied. "I know you've got enough of your own troubles right now without worrying about me."

"Drew," Maddie said gently. "I should be apologising to you. I've been so wrapped up in what happened with Ethan that I haven't been a very good sister to you."

"I understand," Drew said. "I really do Maddie. I haven't been around either- with the move and all..."

"Are you getting excited about that at least?" Maddie asked.

"I'm looking forward to spending more time with the family," Drew said. "I think... sharing what happened to me while I was in Brighton really helped me realise that I miss all of you so much. Darla's wonderful of course, but sometimes I still really need Mum and Dad, you know?"

"I know exactly what you mean," Maddie said nodding.

"So has Ethan tried to contact you at all?" Drew asked as they began to pull down plates and silverware.

Maddie shook her head. "I haven't been staying at the flat either. It's just too hard."

"It makes it harder when it's someone we've known all our lives like Ethan," Drew said quietly. "Mads I wish there was something I could do for you..."

"You being here is enough," Maddie said giving her another hug. "Having you and Darla back is all that I need."

"Thanks Maddie," Drew smiled at her. "You turned out to be quite the woman you know."

"I had good role models," Maddie said smiling back at her.

"Are you sure you don't want us Weasleys to go over and tell Ethan what we think?" Drew asked. "I know he's practically family and all..."

Maddie laughed. "No, but thanks for the sentiment."

"Will you really be all right?" Drew asked. "I mean... if--"

Maddie didn't want to talk about it anymore. "I'll be fine. I have you guys and I want to help you and Darla anyway that I can. Anything to keep my mind off of Ethan."

"We just want you to be happy Mads," Drew replied.

"And I want the same for you," Maddie said. "Come on, we better get this out to the others before they send in a search party."

"Right," Drew said, picking up the plates. "All right, have you lot polished off that pizza while we took forever getting dishes?"

"We were too busy cooing over the babies," Darla said.

"They are sweet," Drew agreed, smiling down at her niece.

"You can hold her if you want," Lizzy said. "She's not the biggest fan of that bouncy seat. Her brothers though love it."

"I'd love to hold her," Drew said, eagerly accepting the warm, squirmy bundle.

Casey smacked her lips as she looked up at her aunt.

Drew bit her lower lip as she stared down into Casey's innocent blue eyes. "You are the most gorgeous thing," she whispered.

Maddie's heart went out to Drew as she watched her with Casey.

"She really takes to you Drew," Josh said, pulling a cheesy slice of pizza from the pie.

Drew smiled. "She's easy to love, Josh."

"We'll baby sit once we get settled in," Darla offered.

"Famous last words," Lizzy said laughing. "But we'll take you up on that."

Maddie picked at the cheese on her slice of pizza, taking only little bites at a time.

"Is Frankie still having her party?" Darla asked eager to keep her sister's mind off of Ethan. "Drew and I aren't going to be able to go."

"Yes she is," Maddie replied. "It's a shame you'll miss it, she's really going all out."

"Duty calls," Darla said. "Some big Muggle wedding. You wouldn't believe the things we've had to do to satisfy this couple. Complete snobs."

"Tell us more," Josh knew they were trying to cheer Maddie up. "Bride-zilla?"

Drew nodded. "Completely. She makes Frankie's friend Alicia look like a saint. She keeps changing her mind. First she wants this and the next minute she wants that. Her father has spent I don't know how much on this wedding and it's still not good enough for her."

"Not to mention the groom is a complete letch," Darla chimed in. "Hits on anything that moves."

Lizzy shook her head. "Makes me glad I got myself a nice guy," she smiled at her husband.

Josh grinned. "Did you hear that? I'm a nice guy."

Drew thumped him on the arm. "We always knew that Joshie."

"Now Jon on the other hand," Darla laughed. "Allie really tamed him down."

"He wasn't that bad," Drew said in Jon's defence.

"Oh come on," Darla said. "He wasn't ever nasty or anything, but he had a bit of a roving eye until he fell in love with Allison. After that he was a one woman man."

"He never dated anyone until Allie," Drew said. "And he never kissed anyone either."

"He hadn't?" Josh asked. "How did you know?"

"I might have overheard him talking to Allie once or twice," Drew said blushing. "Give me a break! I was a little sister. That's what we do!"

Maddie pulled at a string of cheese, feeling a bit removed from the conversation. She felt bad, because she knew her brother and sisters were just trying to help her out, but she couldn't help thinking about Ethan; about how much she missed seeing him, and being with him.

"That doesn't mean he never fancied anyone before Allie," Josh continued.

"Of course he wasn't in lurrrrve with Julie like some people," Drew teased.

"Or wrote them poetry," Darla chimed in, laughing.

Josh glared at his twin sisters. "I wrote like two poems and you lot act as if I wrote a book. Lizzy, I'm going to pay for those two poems the rest of my life."

Lizzy smiled innocently at him. "I didn't say anything about it."

"I sometimes wonder what life would have been like if you and Jon had been as close as Uncle George and Uncle Fred," Darla said. "And then I wake up screaming."

"We'd probably have turned out like you two," Josh retorted as Noah started to wail. "Be right back..."

"At least they're waking up in shifts Lizzy," Darla said. "Not all at once."

"Why don't you come back at around three in the morning and watch them crying in chorus," Lizzy said laughing.

"Do they really do that?" Maddie asked.

"Not all the time, but it has happened," Lizzy said. "Noah and Aidan try to out squeal their sister."

"Liz where's the bottle at?" Josh called. "I think Noah's hungry!"

"Coming," Lizzy said rushing into the kitchen.

"Mads?" Darla asked. "You okay?"

"What?" Maddie asked. "Oh... I'm all right, sorry. Just sort of zoned out a bit."

"It's going to be okay," Darla said touching her arm. "It's just going to take time. And we're going to be here to help keep your mind off of it."

"You're welcome to move in with us," Drew said. "We'll have the room. And we'd love to have you."

"I don't know what I want to do yet," Maddie said, pulling her knees up to her chest.

"There's no rush," Darla said. "You just take it one day at a time."

"I guess," Maddie shrugged. "I just wish none of this had ever happened. Part of me wants to go hear him out, and the other part of me is so angry still..."

"I can't believe he hasn't tried to contact you," Drew commented.

Darla put a comforting hand on her sister's shoulder. "What did Mum and Dad say about all this?"

"They've been really supportive," Maddie said. "I think it's hard on them too since Ethan's their godson. Mum said it doesn't seem like something he'd do."

"All right," Josh and Lizzy came back in with Noah, both unaware of the conversation taking place. "Now all three monsters are awake."

"That's because they know all of their fabulous aunts are here," Darla said grinning at her brother. "They didn't want to miss one second with us."

Maddie smiled again as Casey was passed to her. "I just can't get over how precious she is. How sweet all three of them are."

"I know," Lizzy said. "They're little angels, all three of them."

"They'll make the both of you grey once they're around two years old," Darla said with a wicked grin.

"Probably," Lizzy said laughing. "That's why we'll enjoy this while we can."

*** *** ***

Jared couldn't believe how well things were falling into place. Maddie and Ethan had been on the outs for a couple of weeks. She showed up to work everyday feeling down and he was there to play the supportive friend, offering her advise and a shoulder to cry on. It was only a matter of time before that shoulder to cry on would turn into more. He could feel her in his grasp.

Today, he was planning on suggesting a night out to clear her head. He had everything planned. He'd wine her, he'd dine her and then she would be his in every way imaginable. He'd do what that tosser Potter wasn't man enough to do.

He strode into the office confidently, ready to start his final plan. What he didn't count on was the large bouquet of flowers that was impossible to miss on Maddie's desk.

He already knew who they were from. Making sure no one was looking, he opened up the card.

"I miss you," he snorted. "Love Ethan."

Jared pocketed the card. Maddie was still quite vulnerable and Potter obviously wasn't going to go away quietly. If he didn't act now, he'd lose his chance.

He slipped out of her office and back into his, positioning his chair so he could see every move she made once she got in. He'd been working only a quarter of an hour before Maddie arrived, her hair dishevelled and her eyes puffy and tired.

He saw her take off her cloak revealing her usual jumper and flowing skirt. Tonight, he thought wickedly, he'd find out exactly what was under those clothes.

"Morning," he said, coming over with a cup of coffee in his hand. "With cream and three sugars, just how you like it."

"Thanks Jared,” She said taking the cup. "You've been so wonderful these past few days." She looked at the flowers, but there was no card. "Jared, do you know who sent these?"

Jared shrugged, hoping he looked innocent. "They were already there when I got here a little while ago."

"Did you--?" Maddie asked. "Are these from you?" She tried to hide her disappointment. She'd thought they might have been from Ethan.

"Wish I could take the credit," Jared said, thinking he could play it cool. "They're pretty nice."

"They're beautiful," Maddie said leaning down to take in their scent. "My favourites actually."

"I'll have to keep that in mind," he flirted lightly.

"How was your night?" she asked sitting down. "I'm sorry I kept you after your shift. You were really sweet to stay with me."

"It's no problem Mads," Jared smiled at her. "It was okay I guess. Anya's been out of town so I was glad to keep you company."

"She can't appreciate all the time you've spent with me," Maddie said. "You've been such a great friend."

"You've been a great friend for me as well," Jared said. "If it weren't for you, I'd probably still be mooning over what's her face..." he laughed.

Maddie laughed. "You've made real progress Jared. Now you can't even remember old what's her face's name."

"Corduroy?" Jared asked innocently.

"That's her," Maddie said still laughing. "You're the only one who's made me laugh in the past few days."

"Nice to know I'm good for something," he smiled. "Listen, what say you and I go for dinner tonight? I want to help keep your spirits up."

"I don't know if I'm up for it," Maddie said.

"Oh come on," Jared pressed. "If not, I'll have to sit in my lonely flat all by myself and start mooning over that Corduroy again until Anya gets back."

"I wouldn't want to have that on my hands," Maddie said with a smile. "Okay, but I'll warn you ahead of time, I probably won't be that much fun."

"You'll be fine," Jared smiled, while inwardly he was already celebrating. "We'll just head out from here okay?"

"Okay," Maddie agreed. "I need to talk to Smythe, but I'll catch up with you later."

"Sure," he squeezed her arm and headed back to his own desk, his smile becoming a victorious grin.

Maddie spent the morning going over some visions with Smythe. She was glad that she had work to keep her mind off of what had happened with Ethan.

"There's some excellent notes on that particular case," Smythe was saying. "I gave them to Jared last week. Do you want to go and grab those for me? We can go over them in more detail."

"All right," Maddie agreed. "I'll go get them and be right back."

Maddie made her way to Jared's office which was now empty. He usually went for coffee around this time. She moved around some paperwork on his desk and in doing so dropped some papers on the floor. Kneeling down to pick them up, she caught sight of a small white card.

Her blood ran cold as she recognised the untidy scrawl. "I miss you," she read in a trembling whisper. "Love Ethan..." this was obviously the missing card from the flowers on her desk this morning. Why did Jared have it and more importantly, why had he pretended he didn't know who they were from? Forgetting about the notes, Maddie straightened up and went to look for him.

Someone in her department said she'd seen him go up on the roof with a friend of his for a smoke.

"So you going to come out with us tonight?" Jared's friend Alex asked.

"No," Jared said taking a drag on his cigarette. "I have bigger plans. Much bigger plans."

"These plans involve that hot little brunette you been toting around for the past few months?" Alex asked with a grin.

"That slag?" Jared asked shaking his head. "No, I'm more into blondes this week. One, in particular."

"Oh yeah?" Alex was interested. "Tell me more."

"You know that girl I work with," Jared began. "Maddie? Complete picture of purity, sweetness and innocence."

"I think I've seen her," Alex replied. "You planning on..." he raised his eyebrows.

"I've been planning on since the moment I met her," Jared said laughing. "Alex, she's got this long, flowing blonde hair, amazing blue eyes and legs that won't quit. And best of all, she's as naive as can be. Bought everything I ever told her. You remember that girl I dated for like three days...Cordelia?"

"Who could forget?" Alex said with a smirk. "Took you forever to get her in the sack."

"Well I kind of told Maddie that Cordelia was the love of my life and she broke things off with me when she found out I was a Seer," Jared said tossing his cigarette on the ground and stamping it with his foot. "She bought it hook, line and sinker."

"No way," Alex snorted. "That's classic mate."

"It gets better," Jared said. "You know who her boyfriend is? Ethan Potter, Son of the Boy Who Lived. Well, guess what, he's the Boy Who Can't Close the Deal. Can you believe this---he's living with that fox and hasn't shagged her brains out. Not even once!"

"What an idiot," Alex finished his cigarette.

"Well, he's out of the picture now," Jared said smugly. "You remember that old bait and switch routine of mine? It always comes in handy."

"You mean where you drug something to drink then put two people together starkers and then drop a bottle of Firewhisky in the room somewhere?" Alex grinned. "Excellent."

"Works every time," Jared said taking out another cigarette.

Maddie slammed the door. "YOU BASTARD!"

79. Ch 79

A/N: Well here you guys are- finally you get Maddie’s reaction to Jared’s whole plot.

We also wanted to ask you guys a question- would you lot be offended if we weren’t able to do review replies on Tuesdays? We’ll still do them for NtR and on the Saturday update for Last Dance but when we both work Tuesdays sometimes it’s rough to get them done in time. Let us know okay?

As always- read, enjoy, and review! Thanks!

***

Jared and Alex both turned around.

"Maddie," Jared gulped.

"How dare you..." Maddie said through clenched teeth. "How DARE you do this to me?" she advanced on the two men, who both suddenly looked terrified.

"Do what?" Jared asked innocently. "Maddie, I'd like you to meet an old mate of mine---"

Maddie's eyes were narrowed into angry slits. "Don't you play innocent with me. I just heard every bloody rotten word you said."

"Maddie, I can explain," Jared said but she rounded on him.

"Jare--sorry mate," Alex said hastily. "I just remembered I have to be somewhere..."

"Coward," Jared muttered as his friend ran back into the building.

Maddie stared at the man in front of her with the utmost disgust and loathing. "I never, ever in my life, thought I could despise another human. But you're not even human. You're scum Jared Griffin."

"I fell for you Maddie," Jared said hastily reaching out for her. "Love makes you do crazy things..."

"Come off it," Maddie slapped his hands away harshly. "I'm not buying into your crap."

"I just gave Ethan and Bree a push," Jared said. "And they were all too willing to go at it. For all you know they were already shagging behind your back."

"Bollocks," Maddie snapped, her eyes now blazing. "I trusted you Jared. And all this time you've been plotting to shag me because I'm a virgin."

"That's not true," Jared said pleadingly. "Maddie, you and I had a connection right from the start. You can't deny you're attracted to me."

Maddie felt bile rise up in her throat. "I was never attracted to you."

"Yes you were," Jared said grabbing hold of her arm and pulling her to him. "All those times you were with him, you were thinking of me..."

He roughly crashed his lips to hers.

Maddie pushed at him as hard as she could but his grip was vice like. She gagged as he tried to force his tongue between her lips and in one swift movement, she brought her knee up between his legs, hard.

Jared released her and doubled over in pain. "What... the hell was that for?" he choked out.

"For breaking up the best thing that ever happened to me," Maddie hadn't lived with three brothers without learning a few tricks. "And for breaking up another innocent couple just to satisfy your disgusting urges."

Jared wanted to laugh, but he was in far too much pain. "You...you're just a tease!"

"I've never given you any indication that I felt anything for you but friendship," Maddie said as he struggled to his feet. "You have a horrible problem Jared. You need help. And I would have done anything I could to help you but I don't ever want to see you again. I considered you a friend and you just took that way too far." her eyes burned with hot, angry tears.

"Maddie," Jared said looking pleadingly at her. "I--"

"You'll keep away from me," Maddie said, her eyes snapping fire. "I won't be responsible for what I do if you EVER try to come near me again."

Jared had never seen her that angry before. To be honest, he was quite frightened. "You won't tell Smythe, will you? I can't lose this job, Maddie!"

"She doesn't need to tell me," Smythe was standing in the doorway, looking almost as angry as Maddie.

"Smythe," Jared said in surprise. "There's been a big misunderstanding. Maddie and I had a row..."

"I heard everything," Smythe said, putting an arm around the young woman's shoulders. Maddie sagged against her, almost in relief. "You have one hour to pack up your desk Jared. I will NOT tolerate people like you in my office."

Jared looked as if he couldn't believe what was happening. "I need this job, Smythe. You said so yourself I was a natural at this."

"I'm sure you can find alternate arrangements." Smythe's tone was cold. "You may be a Seer, but I abhor people who do what you've done to Madeline here. One hour," she repeated. "And don't expect any sort of recommendation from me."

Jared looked as if he wanted to say something else, but he soon thought better of it. He looked away from both women and then silently walked toward the door slamming it behind him.

"Are you okay Maddie?" Smythe asked.

Maddie wiped her eyes. "I don't know," she said shakily.

"I was worried when you didn't come back," Smythe explained giving her a hug. "I didn't mean to listen, but I sensed there was something going on with you two and I thought it best not to leave you alone."

"I'm glad you were here," Maddie said. "He... he was responsible for what happened with Ethan and Bree. They never... they never actually..." a lump formed in her throat.

"So he did slip something in their tea?" Smythe asked. Maddie had confided in her all that had happened and Ethan's explanation. "You know, he could be brought up on charges for doing something like that, Maddie."

"He must have," Maddie said softly. "Ethan was right- they were drugged and set up."

"We can go down to Auror Headquarters together and file a complaint," Smythe suggested. "Before he leaves the building..."

Maddie nodded. "I have to talk to Ethan," she said. "And Bree... I have to apologise."

"Let's go then," Smythe said gently keeping an arm around her. "You know, that was a great move you did on poor Jared. You'll have to teach that to me sometime."

Maddie managed a small smile. "Thank goodness for brothers," she laughed weakly.

Smythe laughed. "I wouldn't know, I'm one of six girls actually."

Down in Auror headquarters, Ethan was wearily rubbing his eyes. He'd been hoping the large bouquet of flowers he'd sent his girlfriend that morning would soften her up enough- along with the chocolates from the past few days that he'd sent down to her office- to come and talk with him. He was barely able to concentrate on his work and the more tired he became, the more work came pouring in.

He heard Remus Lupin's booming voice and when he heard who the man was talking to, his curiosity peaked.

"Smythe!" Lupin exclaimed. "If it isn't my favourite Seer..."

"Remus," Smythe said grinning at him. "It's been quite some time."

"Aye," Remus agreed. "What brings you to our neck of the Ministry?"

"Madeline would like to file a complaint against Jared Griffin," Smythe said. "She has information about the incident that occurred with young Mr. Potter."

At those words Ethan pushed back his chair and went into the outer office.

"Ethan," Maddie whispered when she saw him coming toward them.

"What's going on here?" he asked, not able to move his eyes off Maddie.

"It was Jared," Maddie said quietly. "You were right, Ethan. Someone did drug you and Bree. It was Jared."

A range of emotions ran across his face and he clenched his hand into a fist. "That fucking bastard," he swore. "I'll kill him."

"No you won't," Lupin said sternly. "We'll handle this by-the-book, thank you very much. We're not going to lose one of our best Aurors to Azkaban."

"Look what he did!" Ethan raged.

"And he'll be punished," Lupin said. He turned his attention to the blonde. "Maddie, we need to take a statement from you."

"Of course," Maddie nodded, her eyes glued to Ethan. "Anything you need."

"You should probably send someone down to our department to detain Mr. Griffin," Smythe said. "He should be packing up his desk."

"I'll go," Ethan volunteered. "I'd be happy to keep him in place."

"I don't think so," Lupin said. He looked around the office. "Natalie..."

"Yes sir?" Natalie Worthington looked up from where she was marking some figures on parchment.

"I'm going to need you to go down to Smythe's department and detain Jared Griffin," Lupin told her. "He's not to leave the Ministry."

"Right away," Natalie said, grabbing her wand and holstering it to her arm.

"I'll be right back," Smythe told Maddie.

"Bree should be there for this," Ethan told Lupin. "She was as much affected as I was."

"Is she working today?" Lupin asked.

"Aye," Ethan said. He didn't want to leave Maddie though who still seemed to be in a bit of shock.

"I'll go get her," Lupin said, reading Ethan's look. "Why don't you show Madeline here into one of the interrogation rooms."

"Sure," Ethan said holding out his hand to Maddie.

Maddie took it without hesitation and followed him down the corridor into one of the rooms- thankfully it wasn't the same room that all the drama had happened in.

"Are you okay?" he asked gently.

She shook her head. "Not really," she answered.

Ethan wanted to take her in his arms and tell her everything was going to be okay, but he wasn't sure how to act around her in light of everything that had happened. "Is there anything I can do?" he asked.

"Forgive me?" she whispered. "I should have listened to you Ethan."

"I know it looked bad," Ethan said sitting down beside her. "And I don't know if I'd have been all that ready to listen if the situation was reversed. Maddie, I would never, ever do anything to intentionally hurt you.'

"I know that now," she said hoarsely.

Lupin came back into the room with Bree who looked a little taken aback to see Maddie.

"Lupin said you needed to see me," Bree said quietly.

"Yeah," Ethan stood up. "Maddie found out what happened to us that night. We didn't sleep together. We were drugged by that son of a bitch Jared."

"What?" Bree was shocked. "Why would he do that?"

"Because he wanted me for himself," Maddie said quietly.

"WHAT?" Ethan roared.

"Perhaps we should start from the beginning," Lupin suggested closing the door behind him. He sat down directly across from Maddie. "What is your relationship with Mr. Griffin, Madeline?"

"He worked in my department as a Seer," Maddie said, her eyes downcast. "I befriended him, and invited him out a few times with us. I never once suspected he was like this... that he was using me this way."

"And you were here on the night of the 3rd of October?" Lupin asked her. "To meet Ethan Potter?"

"Yes," Maddie nodded. "Me and Mason Kane- Bree's um... boyfriend. We were meeting them then going to dinner."

"And what did you see when you walked into the interrogation room?" Lupin asked. When Maddie hesitated, he gave her a reassuring smile. "I know this is hard on you, Maddie."

"I saw Ethan and Bree together on the sofa," Maddie said, blinking back tears. "And both Mason and I assumed the worst. There was an empty bottle of Firewhisky on the table and we just thought..." she trailed off.

"You'll need to tell us," Lupin said gently. "What did you think, Maddie?"

"I thought they'd slept together," Maddie replied, wiping her eyes. "Neither of them had any clothes on- and now I know why. Jared drugged some tea and left it in the room, knowing they'd be alone and that they would drink it. Once they were out, he came in, removed their clothing, and set them up."

"And did you hear Mr. Griffin confess this?" Lupin asked. Ethan stood behind Maddie trying very hard to keep his own emotions in check.

"Yes," she said. "Up on the roof just a quarter of an hour ago. He was telling another friend how he did this and planned on... planned on...."

"Planned on what, Maddie?" Lupin asked.

"He was saying that since... since Ethan and I never... never were together, he was going to use me," Maddie said, tearing up again. "That's why he planned all this." She saw Ethan’s arms tense as he tried to control his rage.

Lupin nodded. "And this friend of Mr. Griffin's...do you know who he was?"

"No," Maddie shook her head. "I think he said his name was Alex, but I can't be certain."

"If you can give us a description later, we'll see if we can reference him from the Ministry database," Lupin said making some notes. "We'll need him to corroborate what you've told us."

Maddie nodded. "Okay," she replied quietly.

Lupin spent the next half hour asking Maddie more and more questions. She was already emotionally and physically drained from the experience and was glad when Lupin told her he had enough.

"What happens now?" Bree asked.

"I've received word that Jared Griffin is in another room," Lupin replied. "We'll question him and process the charges. It will make for a stronger case should the two of you, along with Maddie here, decide to press charges, but that's up to you both."

"I definitely want to do that," Bree said stoically. "I want to press charges."

"Me too," Ethan agreed.

Lupin nodded. "Ethan, you know what to do to write these things up."

"Yes sir," Ethan replied.

Lupin excused himself to go and file the report leaving Bree, Ethan and Maddie alone.

"I can't believe this," Bree said shaking her head. "What kind of person would do something like this?"

"It's my fault," Maddie said, unable to control her tears now. "Because of me he did this to you both."

"This isn't your fault," Bree said walking over to Maddie. "Maddie, he did this. Not you. I-I don't blame you."

"I'm so sorry Bree," Maddie said as the other woman hugged her. "I'm so sorry that he did this to you and Mason."

"He's not going to get away with it," Bree said smiling at her. "Thank you so much for coming forward."

"How could I not?" Maddie asked, her gaze going back to Ethan.

"I just hope it's not too late for Mason and me," Bree said.

"If he doesn't believe you, have him come back here and I'll tell him everything," Maddie offered. "It's the least I can do Bree."

"Thanks," Bree said smiling at her. She turned her attention to Ethan. He'd been a really good friend to her throughout this ordeal. "We didn't do anything, Ethan."

"I know," he said, obviously relieved.

She gave him a hug and whispered in his ear. "You've got your second chance, Potter."

"Why don't you get Mason," Ethan suggested. "I know he's still here and maybe it's not too late to convince him to stay. And then come back up here and I'll take our statements."

"If he'll talk to me," Bree said. "I'll go and get him then."

Maddie watched her go. "Mason was going to leave?" she asked tentatively.

Ethan nodded. "He told her he never wanted to see her again and was planning on moving back to the States."

"Oh no," Maddie whispered in horror. "Ethan she's not too late is she? I can't believe all this trouble..."

"I hope not," Ethan said. He took a tentative step toward her. "Maybe it's not too late for all of us."

"Not for us," she said softly. "At least, not for me Ethan."

"You mean that?" he asked taking her hands in his. "You really mean that?"

"You should be so angry with me," Maddie said, her voice quivering. "I said some awful things to you Ethan."

"You were angry and you were hurt," he said taking her in his arms. "The important thing now is that the truth is out there and we're still here."

"I love you so much Ethan," she said, burying her face in his shoulder. "I've hated the past few weeks."

"It's been miserable," he said holding her tightly. "Maddie, I love you and I've missed being with you."

"I missed you so much," she said, still crying as he stroked her hair. "I can't believe I didn't see through this. I'm such a bloody fool."

"No you're not," he said softly. "Maybe a bit naive, but I never suspected Jared either, Maddie."

"He's a bastard," she whispered. "He almost made me lose the best thing in my life." Maddie raised her head off his shoulder and looked at him.

"I wasn't about to give up on you," Ethan said cupping her face in his hands. "I sent you flowers and chocolates, your favourites."

"You sent me chocolates?" Maddie asked. "I never got them. The flowers were on my desk but Jared had taken the card out and I found it in one of his drawers."

"That bloody bastard!" Ethan exclaimed. "I sent them to your office. He probably intercepted them."

Maddie nodded. "At least it was all for naught... I just can't believe he thought I would have slept with him." she shuddered.

"Not my Madeline Molly," Ethan whispered.

"No," she whispered as he rested his forehead against hers. She closed her eyes and stroked his cheek with her thumb.

"We've got a lot of time to make up for," he said. "Want to start now?"

"That's a silly question," she said, opening her eyes and smiling at him.

Ethan leaned in and kissed her softly.

Maddie wound her arms around his neck and kissed him back, putting all her feelings into it.

Ethan walked Maddie backwards and pressed her against the closed door. "I've missed you so much Mads..."

"I know," she breathed. "I've missed you too. I want you to come home again Ethan."

"I'm sure Will and Frankie will be glad to hear that," he said laughing.

"She's been a wonderful friend to me," Maddie leaned against him, closing her eyes again.

"They've both been great," Ethan agreed. "You know, I kept waiting for your dad and brothers to come in the middle of the night to beat the crap out of me."

"I told them about what happened," Maddie said. "But I told them not to do anything to you. I guess deep down, I really didn't believe what I saw."

"I need to go and give my statement and take Bree's," Ethan said after he kissed her once more. "And you probably have to get back to work..."

"I'll go back with Smythe once we finish up," Maddie said. "I want to stay with you as long as possible."

Ethan was very happy to hear her say that. "He's going to pay for what he did to all of us, Maddie. I'm going to make sure of that."

She nodded. "I'm sorry I threw my ring at you too Ethan."

"I still have it," he said softly. "I assume you'd like to have it back?"

"If that's possible," she said with a small smile.

"It's at Will and Frankie's," Ethan said. "But it's yours, if you want it."

"Of course I do," Maddie replied, hugging him again. "But I just want you most of all."

"You've definitely got me," he said kissing the top of her head. "Forever, Mads."

*** *** ***

"Neville, I still think we should have owled," Cho said. "I mean, they're busy with twins- I don't think we should just drop in unexpected, even if we are in the neighbourhood."

"You don't want to see your grandchildren?" Neville asked knocking on the door. "Come on, Cho. Chi wanted to see the Halloween pictures."

"That's true," Cho said. "And I always want to see my grandchildren."

"Hiya Cho, Neville," Toshio said opening up the door. He was holding Mas in his arms. "We just finished bathing the dynamic duo."

"Look at my little grandson," Cho cooed. "He's getting to be such a big boy!"

"Want to dress him?" Toshio asked.

"There's a silly question," Neville said laughing as Toshio handed him over to Cho.

"Hello handsome," Cho beamed down at Masanobu, who stared back up at her with his dark eyes.

"Tosh?" Chiaki called out from the nursery. "Who's at the door?"

"Your mum and dad," Toshio answered.

"Oooh!" Chiaki said fastening Mitsuko's diaper. "Let's go see Grandpa and Grandma! What do you say, Sukie?"

"Tosh is letting me dress this one," Cho swept into the nursery. "Hello loves," she smiled at her daughter and granddaughter.

"Hi Mum," Chiaki said smiling at her. "Look Sukie...it's Grandma!"

"She's just as big as her brother," Cho kissed the baby on the forehead. "Hello darling," she smiled.

Mitsuko cooed up at her grandmother and raised her little hand.

"Uncle Harry said she looks just like I did when I was a baby," Chiaki said.

"She does," Cho said fondly. "Almost exactly like you Chi."

"She doesn't have my grey eyes," Chiaki said. "Draco Malfoy's eyes."

"And for that we're glad," Cho said. "Although on you, those eyes are beautiful."

Chiaki smiled at her mother. Neither of them noticed Neville watching from the doorway.

"I'm glad that's all I have from him," Chiaki said cradling Sukie in her arms.

"So am I," Cho said. "You and Tosh are doing a wonderful job with these two Chi. Your father and I are so proud of you."

"We are," Neville chimed in.

"Hi Daddy," Chiaki said smiling warmly at him. "A few minutes earlier and you could have been changing a nappy."

"I have impeccable timing," Neville teased. "How are you sweetheart?" he asked, hugging her carefully.

"Knackered, but very happy," Chiaki replied. "Tosh has been home a little more and that makes it easier and Allie's been fantastic."

"I'm glad," Neville said, making a goofy face at Mitsuko.

"I should probably start dinner," Chiaki said. "Would you mind looking out for Sukie..."

"That's fine," Neville replied, taking her eagerly.

"Will you both stay?" Chiaki asked.

"Try and make us leave," Cho said laughing.

"Great," Chiaki grinned. "Their pyjamas are right over there on the changing table and we have their bouncy chairs in the kitchen."

"Okay," Cho said watching Chiaki leave. Setting Masanobu on the changing table, she looked over at her husband. "It's been awhile since we did this, eh? Precocious 11-year old bugging us about Hogwarts, four-year old asking every question in the book and a crying baby. How did we keep our sanity?"

Neville laughed. "I don't know, but I'm sure glad we're the grandparents now and can give them back when they start to get fussy." he teased.

"That's the beauty of grandchildren," Cho said grinning down at her grandson.

Neville sat down in the rocking chair with Mitsuko, who he had to admit was the spitting image of her mother, except for the dark eyes. He could still remember the overjoyed feeling he felt the moment, the healer placed Chiaki in his arms.

"What are you thinking about?" Cho asked, pulling the soft, fleecy footed pyjamas over Masanobu's chubby legs.

"Just remembering," Neville said softly.

***

It was just a week before Chiaki was to leave for Hogwarts for her first year. She was both excited and nervous, and she was asking her parents everything they knew about the school. Allison was following her sister everywhere, hanging onto Chiaki's every word.

"And what do I have to do to get into Gryffindor?" Chiaki asked for the fourth time that day. "I don't really have to battle a troll, do I Daddy?"

"Who told you that?" Neville asked, stifling a laugh. "If it was your Uncle Ron, what did I tell you about what he says?"

"That he always lies," Chiaki recited.

"That's my girl," Neville said tickling her side. "No, sweetheart. You don't have to battle a troll."

"Who told you?" Allison asked. "About the troll?"

"Uncle Ron," Chiaki said, stealing a crisp from the bag on the table. "Daddy do you think I'll make a lot of friends there?"

"You'll miss Loolie," Allison said.

"I think you'll make loads of friends," Neville said. "Just like you did in primary school sweetheart."

"Loolie?" Chiaki asked her sister, laughing. "What are you talking about Allie?"

"Loolie," Allison said again. "Loolie!"

"If she takes the sweets out of her mouth, she might be able to tell you better," Neville said.

Allison shook her head.

"You mean Jules?" Chiaki asked.

Allison nodded. "She can't go, can she?"

"Not yet Allie," Neville said to his other daughter. "In a few years she will."

"And I'll introduce her to all my friends that I make," Chiaki replied. "She'll still be my bestest friend in the world."

"When do I get to go?" Allie asked. "Will I have to face a troll? Jon Weasley said that you have to battle a big octopus!"

"Jon Weasley is like his daddy," Chiaki giggled. "And you get to go when you turn 11, just like me Allie."

"I don't want to go if I have to battle a big octopus!" Allison said grabbing on to Neville's leg.

"You won't have to baby," Neville said, lifting her up. "I promise."

"I'm excited to go, but I'm scared too," Chiaki said looking up as her mother came into the sitting room with Frankie. "I've never been away from home before."

"You're going to love Hogwarts sweetie," Cho said. "Especially once you're in your third year and you can start going to Hogsmeade."

"Will I be able to practise my dancing?" Chiaki asked.

"You'll be able to do your stretches in the dormitory," Cho told her. "But I don't think Hogwarts has anywhere to really practise dancing. You can do your positions against the wall though. And I'll work with you when you come home for holidays."

"I'm going to practise everyday," Chiaki promised. "I want to be as good as you Mummy."

"You're getting there fast sweetheart," Cho said, gently bouncing Frankie in her arms.

"I don't want you to go, Chi," Allison said. "You're my bestest friend."

"I'll write to you every week," Chiaki promised her little sister.

Allison beamed at her sister.

"And she's going to have to look out for us all since her big sister's going to be gone," Neville said kissing Allison's cheek.

"I'll be the oldest," Allison said.

"Come on Allie," Chiaki said. "I can show you all the stuff Mum and Dad bought me in Diagon Alley today."

"Okay," Allison agreed excitedly. "Can I try on your robes?"

"Sure," Chiaki said laughing. "They'll be too big though."

"But someday I'll be bigger like you," Allison objected.

"Maybe even bigger," Chiaki said taking Allison's hand and leading her down the hall to her bedroom.

"Are we sure we want to do this?" Cho asked once they were out of earshot. "She looks so happy, Neville."

Neville sighed. "I hope it won't be a bad thing for her to learn Cho. I still love her like I do Allie and Frankie. She's my firstborn baby girl, despite the fact she's biologically not mine."

"What if she hates us?" Cho asked. "For keeping this from her?"

"I guess that's a chance that we need to take..." Neville said uncertainly.

"So, we tell her right after we put the girls to bed?" Cho asked.

"That would probably be the best time," Neville agreed.

Frankie started to squirm in Cho's arms. "I know she needs to know, Neville, but I don't want her to hate us."

"She might get angry but she won't hate us," Neville said, with a bit more confidence than he actually felt.

Frankie reached out for her father and Neville took her from his wife.

"I keep telling myself it's better she finds out from us than by accident," Cho said. "And I remember having nightmares that Malfoy would come back and want to claim her as his own."

"There's no way he can," Neville said, kissing Frankie's head. "She's ours Cho. And we always agreed we'd tell her when she got old enough to understand and now with her leaving for Hogwarts, I don't think there's a better time than this."

Cho nodded.

"Mum!" Chiaki called out. "You have got to see Allie in my robes! It's too cute!"

"Come on," Neville said, getting up.

They walked back to Chiaki's bedroom which was quite messy from her school supplies being strewn across the floor. Allison clapped her hands excitedly when Cho, Neville and Frankie came into the room.

Cho laughed. "Look at you baby," she said, picking up her four year old daughter. "You're such a big girl!"

"Can I go to Hogwarts with Chi?" Allison asked giggling. "I can help her attack the big octopus."

"It's not an octopus," Cho said laughing. "It's a squid and you don't have to fight it, baby."

"I told you that," Neville said, tweaking her nose as Frankie waved her arms and legs in the air.

"Jon told Josh and me that it was an octopus and he said his daddy told him and that he wasn't supposed to tell us but that we needed to prepare to fight it when we got to Hogwarts," Allison recited. "I don't want Chiaki to get hurt, Daddy!"

"Jon was just teasing you baby," Neville replied. "There's a squid, but it's in the lake and you probably won't even see it."

This seemed to pacify Allison and she hugged Cho around the neck.

"I'm never going to be able to pack all this stuff," Chiaki said motioning around the room. "I'll need to take five or six trunks!"

"We'll help you shrink things down," Cho said as Neville took Frankie into the nursery. "You'll manage to put it all into one. And during most of the day you're going to be wearing a uniform as well."

Chiaki cleared some space on her bed and sat down. "Thanks for taking me shopping Mum. It was so much fun!"

"Yes it was," Cho said, putting Allison back down. "I always have fun with my girls."

Chiaki grinned as Allison pulled the robes over her head and started looking through some of Chiaki's books.

"I'm going to miss you guys so much," Chiaki said.

"We'll miss you too," Cho moved next to her daughter. "But you're going to have loads of fun there Chi."

"Were you scared before you left for school too?" Chiaki asked.

"A little," Cho replied. "But then I met your... your father, and your Uncle Harry, and Uncle Ron... and we all became best friends."

"No matter who I meet at Hogwarts, Julie's going to still be my best friend," Chiaki vowed.

"That's so sweet of you," Cho said. "I'm sure she'll be happy to know she has someone for when she goes there."

Chiaki smiled. "She wants me to write to her every day."

Cho stroked a loose hair behind her daughter's ear. "Come on, let's start getting you packed up. Your dad wants to make you your favourite spaghetti tonight."

"Can I help too?" Allison asked eagerly.

"Sure Allie," Chiaki replied. "You can help me put my books in the trunk okay?"

Cho watched as her two oldest daughters began packing up Chiaki's books. Chiaki seemed so happy, so hopeful.

It was later that evening as Neville and Cho were putting the final things into their daughter's trunk that she felt it was finally perhaps the right moment to bring up the situation she and her husband had been putting off for Chiaki's entire life.

Allison and Frankie were already fast asleep and Chiaki was reading in the sitting room. She looked up when her parents came into the room.

"I only have a few more pages," she said returning her attention to the book. "As soon as I'm done, I promise I'll go to bed."

"We wanted to talk with you sweetheart," Neville said, sitting down across from her.

"About what?" Chiaki asked marking her book.

"Well," Cho began, glancing at her husband nervously. "You're about to embark on a whole new life sweetheart."

"I am," Chiaki said smiling at her mother. "And I'm nervous and excited all at the same time, but I promise I won't get into trouble Mum. I want to make you and Daddy proud."

"As we're sure you will," Neville said. "Before we tell you this, we want you both to remember that no matter what, we love you so much Chi. You and your sisters are the most important three girls in the world to your mother and me."

"You're scaring me Daddy," Chiaki asked. "Did something happen to your Mum and Dad?"

Neville shook his head. "No, sweetheart. They're okay. There's something that your mother and I need to tell you is all."

"What is it?" Chiaki was still nervous.

Cho took a deep breath and thought about how to go about telling her daughter news that would shake her entire world.

"Well, you remember your father and I telling you about Hillsdale, right?" Cho asked.

"The place where you both fell in love," Chiaki nodded. "Where Uncle Harry and Aunt Hermione met too."

"That's right," Cho said. "Well, I was actually dating someone before I fell in love with your father. His name was Draco Malfoy and I knew him from Hogwarts."

Chiaki nodded, not understanding why this was so serious.

"Your father never liked him much and neither did Harry or Ron," Cho continued. "But there was something about him that intrigued me. When we were alone, he was so sweet and kind and gentle."

"Okay..." Chiaki said slowly.

Neville squeezed his wife's hand for support.

"I thought he loved me," Cho said tears welling up in her eyes. "And we were together up until the day I started that last summer at Hillsdale. He broke things off because he said we were getting too serious and that he wasn't ready to settle down. I was really devastated, but I had no one but myself to blame. Harry, Ron and Neville all tried to warn me about what type of man he really was. But I didn't want to listen."

"What does this have to do with me though Mum?" Chiaki was curious.

Cho swallowed. She looked to Neville for support not knowing if she was going to be able to do this. He squeezed her hand again and Chiaki looked into her daughter's grey eyes---the eyes of her biological father.

"We'd only been at Hillsdale for a few days and I found out that I was...well that I was pregnant," Cho said quietly.

Chiaki stared at her mother for a few moments. "So... I have another brother or sister out there somewhere?" she asked, not realising what her mother was implying.

Cho shook her head and took her daughter's hand. "I was pregnant with you, Chiaki."

The realisation hit her like a bucket of ice cold water. "You mean... you're not my real daddy?" she whispered, looking at Neville.

"I am your real Daddy," Neville told her. "Chiaki, you are my daughter in every way that counts. I've loved you like my own from the moment you were born...."

"But you didn't help make me," Chiaki said quietly.

Neville cupped his daughter's face in his hands. "You're my daughter, Chiaki. You're mine as much as Frankie and Allie."

"How come you never told me before?" Chiaki asked, tears stinging her eyes.

"We didn't think you were ready," Cho said wiping her eyes. "But we wanted you to find out from us instead of from someone else. This doesn't change anything Chiaki."

"Yes it does!" Chiaki pulled away. "You're not my real dad and you pretended to be all this time!"

Neville shook his head. "Chiaki, I am your father, in every way but--"

Chiaki shook her head and ran out of the room.

"Neville," Cho said her lower lip trembling. "What have we done?"

"We had to tell her Cho," Neville said, getting up.

Cho followed Neville down the hall to Chiaki's bedroom. Her door was locked and Neville knocked lightly on the door. "Chi, sweetheart. Please let us in...."

"No," Chiaki said. "I want to be left alone right now."

Neville and Cho exchanged concerned looks.

"Sweetheart," Cho called back. "If you want to talk, your father and I are right here. And we'll always be right here. Okay?"

Chiaki was silent as she heard her parents go down the hall to their own room. There was only one person she wanted to talk to right now and that was Julie.

Chiaki crept out of her room and tiptoed into the sitting room. Why did they have to tell her this? Why did they lie to her right from the start?

She grabbed her dark cloak from the closet and slipped out the front door without anyone noticing.

Harry and Hermione were just tucking in Julie.

"I'm nine now," Julie protested. "Don't you think I could stay up later? It's still summer hols, Mum!"

"You still have a bedtime young lady," Hermione said with a smile. "It's already half past ten."

"Can I read for a little while at least?" Julie asked.

"All right," Harry relented. "As long as you promise to stay in bed and not go roaming around the house."

"I only did that once and that was because you wouldn't let me stay up and watch the rest of that movie," Julie reminded him.

Hermione bit her lower lip to keep from laughing. "Good night love," she said, kissing Julie's forehead.

"Good night Mum," Julie said. "Night Daddy."

"Night sweetheart," Harry said, pinching her cheek. "Love you."

"Love you too," Julie said picking up her book from the nightstand. Her parents closed the door behind them and Julie settled in to read. She hadn't been reading long when she heard a tapping on her window. Her first reaction was to scream for her parents, but she heard a familiar voice calling out to her.

"Jules!" Chiaki said hanging on to the tree limb with all her might. "It's me! Let me in!"

Julie pulled back the covers and ran over to the window. "Chi!" she exclaimed, unlatching the window.

"That's hard to climb up," Chiaki struggled in through the window.

"What are you doing here?" Julie asked giving her a hand.

Chiaki wiped more tears from her eyes. "I had to get away from my mum and... and..."

"Who?" Julie asked. "Chi, why are you crying?"

"Tonight, my mum said they had to tell me something really important," Chiaki hoped her friend wouldn't think less of her for this. "And they told me that... my dad's not really my dad."

Julie's eyes grew wide. "Who is he?"

"Some person named Draco Malfoy," Chiaki sobbed.

"But that's not true," Julie said putting an arm around her friend. "Your dad is Uncle Neville, Chi."

"But he didn't make me," Chiaki said, her lower lip trembling.

Julie led her friend over to her bed and told her to tell her everything.

Shuddering, Chiaki told her everything that her parents had said. "I just don't know why they waited to tell me."

"What happened to this Draco Malfoy person?" Julie asked.

"I don't know," Chiaki wiped her eyes on her sleeve. "I didn't ask."

A soft knock sounded at her door and both girls gasped as Harry poked his head in. "Jules I thought I heard you talking to someone... Chiaki?"

"I'm not going home ever again," Chiaki said clinging to Julie.

"Can Chiaki stay with us Daddy?" Julie asked. "Her Daddy's not her Daddy anymore."

Harry's eyes revealed his shock. "Julie why would you say such a thing?"

"You knew," Chiaki sniffed. "You knew and you didn't tell me either!"

"Chiaki sweetheart," Harry closed the door behind him. "Did your parents tell you about Neville tonight?"

Chiaki nodded and hugged her knees to her chest.

"Can I tell you a few things that they might not have?" Harry asked, pulling a chair over and sitting in front of the two girls.

Chiaki nodded wordlessly.

"When your mum found out she was pregnant with you, your real father left her. He refused to have anything to do with you or her. And Neville stepped in- he took care of her more than I did." he put his hand under the young girl's chin. "Your Gran Longbottom at first didn't want your parents to be married, but he didn't listen, and he worked hard to make sure that you and your mum would have a safe, sturdy life."

"He did?" Chiaki asked softly.

"He did," Harry smiled at her. "And when you were born..." he laughed. "He couldn't get enough of you. When we were training he was always pulling out pictures of you to show off, and he was always rushing home during breaks to see how you were doing." he pulled his goddaughter into a hug. "You may not be his biological daughter sweetheart, but he sure loves you like you are."

"But I'm not a real Longbottom," Chiaki sobbed into Harry's shoulder. "I'm not Frankie and Allie's big sister. I never was!"

"That's not true," Harry said. "Neville adopted you Chi. That means you're legally his daughter. And you ARE Allie and Frankie's big sister."

"Really?" Chiaki asked.

"Without a doubt," Harry smiled at her. "You're lucky Chiaki. Draco Malfoy is not a nice person, not at all. Instead of him, you got Neville, who cared more about you and your mum than he did about himself. He's still that way."

"He's almost as good a Daddy as mine," Julie said grinning at Harry.

Harry laughed, as did Chiaki. "Thank you sweetheart." Harry pulled her into a hug with his other arm.

"Do you want to stay here with us tonight?" Harry asked. "Then we can take you back over to your mum and dad's in the morning?"

Chiaki looked sheepish. "I um... didn't exactly tell them I left."

"I'll Floo over there and let them know," Harry said.

"We can have a sleepover!" Julie said excitedly. "Our last one before you go away to Hogwarts!"

Chiaki nodded. "Can I go with you so I can say I'm sorry Uncle Harry?"

"I think that would be a good idea," Harry said. "Come on with you then..."

"I'll be right back Jules," Chiaki said, following Harry out.

Neville had spent most of the night trying to reassure his wife that they'd done the right thing. He wasn't so sure as he kept hearing her innocent voice saying, "You mean...you're not my real daddy?"

"I knew we should have waited," Cho wiped her eyes.

"It wouldn't have been any easier," he said hugging his wife.

They both heard a commotion downstairs and Cho struggled into her robe as Neville went to find out what was going on.

Chiaki saw her father and for the longest time, she and Neville just looked at each other. A small grin spread over Chiaki's face and she ran into her father's arms. "I'm sorry, Daddy."

Neville hugged her back tightly, kissing the top of her head. "It's all right baby," he said.

"I snuck out to Julie's," Chiaki said looking up at her father.

"That would explain why Harry's here," Neville said, brushing a tear off her cheek as Cho joined them.

"Harry?" Cho asked in confusion.

"Chiaki came over to see Julie and tell her about tonight," Harry said. "I think we have everything straightened out now."

"You snuck out?" Cho asked.

Chiaki nodded. "I was upset, Mum. But Uncle Harry talked to me and I...I'm going to try and understand."

"I just told her about things before she was born," Harry explained. "And I think she has a better view of what was going on during that time."

"He told me that I'm still Allie and Frankie's big sister," Chiaki said looking at her mother. "And that Daddy's… well he's still Daddy."

"That's right," Neville touched her cheek. "You're my girl Chiaki."

Chiaki hugged her father again and Cho walked over to Harry. "I owe you one," she said embracing her friend. "Thank you."

"You know I love her like one of my own," Harry kissed her cheek. "She wants to stay over with Jules tonight. Is that okay? We'll bring her back early."

"Of course," Cho said. "Thank you."

"Daddy?" Chiaki asked. "Are you going to tell Allie and Frankie?"

"When we think they're old enough to understand," Neville replied. "And that decision will also be up to you Chi."

"What if they treat me differently?" Chiaki asked.

"I don't think they will sweetheart," Cho said. "Allie and Frankie love you. You heard Allie tonight- you're her best friend."

"I love them too," Chiaki said giving her mother a hug. "I'm glad you had Daddy."

"Me too baby girl," Cho said. "Me too..."

***

"Allie was what, twelve when we told her?" Cho asked as she finished dressing Masanobu in his pyjamas.

Neville nodded. "With Frankie trying to listen at the door."

Chiaki laughed. "And it never made one bit of difference to them."

"How long have you been standing there?" Neville asked looking at his daughter.

"Just a few minutes," Chiaki smiled. "What are you guys talking about?"

"That night we told you about Draco Malfoy," Neville admitted.

"You mean the night I completely overreacted?" Chiaki asked, taking her daughter from Neville.

"With good reason," Cho said.

"Yeah but I can't believe you didn't punish me for running out in the middle of the night," Chiaki said sheepishly.

"You went to a safe place," Cho said. "And to this day, I'm grateful for your Uncle Harry and Julie for talking to you that night, Chi."

"He really knocked some sense into me," Chiaki agreed.

"That's what godfathers are for," Neville said. "I guess we chose well."

"We did," Cho agreed, laughing as Masanobu flailed his little arms around.

"Dinner will be ready any minute," Chiaki said. "And you can catch me up on all the latest gossip."

"Great," Cho said. "I'm glad your father taught you how to cook."

"All my girls can cook," Neville said proudly. "Except for the one I married."

80. Ch 80

A/N: Thank you all again for your comments and reviews and thanks for being so understanding about us not answering reviews on Tuesdays. Of course, sometimes we might surprise you ;)

This chapter pretty much deals with M/E and Frankie and getting ready for their party, but next chapter will take you guys back to the Hogwarts crew.

As always, please enjoy and let us know what you think!!!

Frankie's dinner party was days away and she was really getting into the spirit of the party. Maddie, who was now happily reunited with Ethan, was helping her do some last minute shopping.

"Those pictures you took from your honeymoon are really helping us plan," Maddie commented as she and Frankie walked along Diagon Alley.

"I'm just looking forward to wearing that new bikini top and sarong I bought," Frankie confided with a grin. "That's the real reason I liked your island theme idea."

Maddie laughed. "I think Ethan's looking forward more to seeing me in that bikini from Brighton than he is to the party."

"I miss my old roommate," Frankie teased. "He was really the life of the house...moping around, listening to depressing music, staring at your picture..."

"Oh stop," Maddie bumped her shoulder. "I'm just glad I overheard Jared. I mean, if I hadn't... I might never have given Ethan the chance to explain."

"That smarmy bastard," Frankie said. "I knew something was off about him." The two women passed Lavender's boutique and Frankie grabbed hold of Maddie's arm. "That dress would like amazing on you!"

Maddie eyed it. "It's pretty," she admitted. She was still shy of wearing things that showed off her legs and figure.

"You don't have to buy it," Frankie said. "But you can at least try it on. Come on. And I have to buy a new set of dress robes anyway. Come on, Madeline. Be a Gryffindor!"

"Twist my arm," she laughed, thinking of what Ethan's face would be like should she wear a dress like that in front of him. She remembered the night they all went to the club when she'd worn Frankie's tiny black dress.

"Come on you," Frankie said pulling her into the boutique. "So many dresses, so little time..."

"There's a good motto," Maddie teased as Frankie got the dress down for her.

Frankie noticed the wary look on her friend's face. "You are so trying that dress on, Madeline. "

"It's just... it's even smaller than that dress of yours I wore the one time," Maddie replied.

"It is not," Frankie lied. "I'm not suggesting you wear it to work, Mads. This is for special occasions."

"I guess it can't hurt to try it on," Maddie said, disappearing into the dressing room. "You wait just outside Frankie!"

"I'll be here," Frankie said smiling at her. She checked out some of the dress robes on the clearance rack since they were the closest to the fitting room.

"Gretchen," a familiar voice said behind her. "Look at poor Frankie Longbottom Boring. Reduced to looking at the clearance rack. How the mighty have fallen!"

Frankie turned to see her former best friend with a girl that they both used to detest--Gretchen Travers.

Deciding to be the bigger person, she rolled her eyes and continued to search through the rack without acknowledging them.

"Why don't you try the Wizarding Warehouse?" Alicia said icily. "They specialise in drab has-beens. It's right up your alley..."

Frankie pressed her lips together and moved to another rack, admiring a ruby red set of robes that would look dynamite on her for the next Quidditch charity ball she would attend.

"Where is the old ball and chain?" Alicia asked.

"Didn't she marry some boring old textbook author?" Gretchen asked laughing.

"As a matter of fact, yes I did," Frankie finally lost her cool. "And his name is Will, thank you very much. Getting married was one of the best decisions I EVER made."

"Don't get her started Gretch," Alicia said yawning. "She's going to go on and on about marriage and blah-blah-blah!"

"Because that's all you understand, Alicia," Frankie said coolly. "Blah, blah, blah. That poor brain cell of yours can't handle any more than that."

Alicia glared at her. "At least I'm not boring and predictable."

"Oh that one really hurt," Frankie faked a pained expression.

"Frankie, I'm not so sure about this..." Maddie said coming out of the changing room.

Alicia and Gretchen gaped at her while Frankie beamed. "Well I'm positive about it. And you're going to buy it because it'll knock Ethan's socks off the next time you have a nice evening out."

"Are you sure?" Maddie asked uncertainly.

"Look, Gretchen," Alicia said nudging her friend. "She's going out with Ethan Potter."

"He's hot!" Gretchen exclaimed. "I’d totally do him."

Frankie gave her a disdainful look. "You'd do anything that's male," she snorted.

"Yeah?" Gretchen asked. "Well, you....you....you have really bad hair!"

Frankie tried to contain her laughter but couldn't. "Come on Mads," she said. "The air in here is a bit stuck up. Let's get these and go get the rest of the party goods."

"You're still doing that?" Alicia asked.

"I don't know what you're talking about," Frankie said, giving Alicia an innocent yet devious expression. "Certainly nothing that pertains to you."

"As if I care one way or the other about your lame party," Alicia said dismissively. "Gretchen and I and some of the old gang are going away this weekend anyway."

"Good for you," Frankie said with an air of superiority, pushing away the slight wave of jealousy that threatened to wash over her. "Have fun with your old gang."

Maddie simply looked at the two of them before turning and following Frankie, her hair swishing behind her.

"Who was that girl?" Maddie asked in confusion after she’d changed out of the dress and they were headed for the counter.

"That was Gretchen Travers," Frankie rolled her eyes as they paid for their purchases. "She's the biggest poser I've ever met. Alicia hated her until we fought."

"She's certainly very...." Maddie said searching for the right word.

"Stupid," Frankie finished. "She's really very insecure. She copies everything that other people do."

"She did have her hair styled like yours," Maddie commented.

"And like I said, Alicia doesn't even like her," Frankie rolled her eyes. "How did I get mixed up with that? I hope I was never anything like they were..."

Maddie was silent not wanting to hurt Frankie's feelings. There was a time when Frankie was as shallow as those girls, but she was never mean or vindictive about it.

Frankie only sighed as they left the shop. "Thank goodness I have you Maddie."

"To help plan your party?" Maddie asked. "It's no problem, Frankie..."

"No just that you're here," Frankie said with a grin. "That you're my friend. Now that Alicia's ditched me, I realise that all those people really weren't friends after all."

Maddie linked arms with her friend. "You've been there for me and Ethan. And you've stood by me when I was at my lowest, Frankie. I don't know what I would have done without you either."

"I guess I could say you're my new best friend," Frankie said. "Wish I'd made you my maid of honour instead of that idiot Alicia."

"I've never been someone's best friend before," Maddie said smiling at her. "I've never had a best friend either."

"You haven't?" Frankie stared at her. "I just don't get it Maddie. You're one of the nicest people in the world- I don't understand how others can be so mean to you."

"Well growing up, Drew and Darla had each other and they were always sweet to me, but they had this great bond, you know?" Maddie said thoughtfully. "And you and Allie were older than me. By the time I was at Hogwarts, I kept to myself really. I used to go for walks by the lake and read and look at the stars. I guess people just thought I was odd."

"If they only really knew, right?" Frankie teased. "At least you've got Ethan now. And you've got me and Will..."

"And Drew and Darla are coming back," Maddie said. "And I've been meaning to spend more time with Allie and the girls, too."

"You seem to be happy," Frankie observed. "Especially now that all the drama with that... jerk is taken care of and you and Ethan are okay."

"Let's just hope the peace and quiet lasts for awhile," Maddie said with a laugh. "For all of us."

"Aye," Frankie said. "Although I don't think Ethan's going to be too quiet once he sees you in that," she motioned to the bag Maddie held in her hand.

"I still don't know when I'll wear something like this," Maddie admitted blushing. "It's certainly not island attire."

"Maybe I'll give you an excuse and make a date for us all to go out to a club sometime soon," Frankie nudged her.

"What sort of excuse?" Maddie asked nudging her back. "Remember, you are boring and predictable and I'm sweet and innocent and pure..."

Frankie laughed. "You're not THAT innocent Madeline... at least not as much as you used to be. You told me what you and Ethan did the night of your anniversary..."

Maddie blushed. "Okay, okay. So I'm just sweet then."

"Come on," Frankie said. "I'm going to ditch my calorie counting and treat us to some ice cream. And I know you never turn down ice cream."

"With loads of hot fudge," Maddie said dreamily.

"And one single cherry," Frankie giggled.

"Of course," Maddie said laughing. "Promise me one thing though?"

"Sure," Frankie said.

"You won't make me call you Franks," Maddie replied sweetly.

*** *** ***

"So are you girls planning on doing a hula later?" Will asked teasingly as Maddie and Frankie came in the sitting room in their island wear.

"I'd pay to see that," Ethan cracked, pulling back on a beer. "Especially by you." he grinned at his girlfriend, who blushed.

“I will if you wear a grass skirt," Frankie said dryly to Will. "Come on, Barron. You're supposed to be helping me not sitting with Ethan chatting about what you blokes chat about..."

"We just arranged all the tables," Will replied. "And we're taking a break."

"Break's over," she said folding her arms.

Will shook his head at Ethan. "My wife is a slave driver," he grumbled.

"I don't remember the word 'obey' being part of your wedding vows," Ethan chimed in.

"Yeah that's right," Will said. "Come on Frankie at least let us finish our beers."

"By all means," Frankie said. "You enjoy your beer and when our friends, family and colleagues arrive, you can take the blame for our party being not up to par. If you want that on your conscience, so be it..."

"Frankie everything looks fine," Maddie assured her.

"Really?" Frankie asked. "You're not just saying that? I mean, it looks really great, doesn't it?"

"Absolutely fantastic," Maddie grinned at her. "Especially that sand- what a great spell!"

"That was me actually," Will said smugly. "Frankie tried and kept getting mud."

"Says the textbook writer," Frankie quipped.

The doorbell chimed and Frankie looked at her watch. "Someone's early! They’re not supposed to be early!"

"Relax baby," Will kissed her cheek. "It's probably just Jack and Claire."

"Should I get it?" Frankie asked making a move for the door, but then doubling back. "Maybe we should both go? Or would that look too staged?"

Maddie giggled as Ethan wound his arms around her waist. "I don't think it matters too much." she said.

Frankie nodded and grabbed hold of Will's arm nearly pulling it out of its socket.

"Easy," he said with a grimace. "I'm rather attached to my arm. Get it? Attached?"

"Please don't do any of your corny jokes during the party," Frankie pleaded.

"You always laughed at them before," he protested.

"That's because I didn't want to hurt your feelings," she said turning around and giving him a once-over. She smoothed down his hair. "Okay, very presentable."

"Auntie Frankie!" Caroline called out from the other side of the door. "Let us in!"

Frankie flung the door open. "Welcome!" she said with a big smile.

"Frack!" Emma squealed squirming out of Jon's arms and into her aunt's arms.

"Who is this beautiful hula baby?" Frankie asked giving her a kiss.

"Em!" Emma replied, hugging her aunt. "Em hooooooo la!"

Will laughed and turned his attention to Caroline who was standing beside her mother in the grass skirt Frankie and Will had given them and a one-piece bathing suit. "And who is this little princess?"

Caroline blushed. "It's just me Uncle Will!"

"I hardly recognised Princess Caroline," Will said tugging at one of her ponytails. "You look glamorous as always." He knelt down and smiled at her. "Would you do me the supreme honour of giving you a tour of the kitchen? We have some of the crisps that you like so much..."

She giggled, still blushing. "Okay."

Will led Caroline off and Allison grinned. "She's got a bit of a crush."

"That's fairly obvious," Jon grinned. "Watch it Frankie. You've got competition."

"She is adorable," Frankie said making a goofy face at Emma. "And so is this one."

"I thought I heard the sound of Weasleys," Maddie said coming to welcome them.

"Mad!" Emma called out waving her little hand.

"Hello darling," Maddie reached out for her godchild. "Hi Jon, hi Allie."

"Maddie, you look beautiful," Allison said smiling at her sister-in-law.

"Thanks Allie," Maddie said. "You look gorgeous too. You always do."

"I'm so pale," Allison said. "I was afraid of wearing this for fear I might blind someone..."

"You're just fishing for compliments," Jon told his wife.

The doorbell chimed again and some friends of Frankie's from Puddlemere came inside.

"Hi Jacob," Frankie said pecking him on the cheek. "And Todd! I'm so glad you blokes could make it."

"We wouldn't have missed it for the world," Todd said. He turned his attention to Allison. "Hello there beautiful."

"Hello," Allison replied, blushing.

"Todd Braxton," he said pushing past Jon to shake her hand. To Jon's horror, the man took his wife's hand and kissed it lightly. "And you are what I've been looking for my entire life."

"Oh," Allison replied. "I um... I'm very flattered but I'm quite married."

"Well what he doesn't know won't hurt him," Todd said winking at her.

"He is right here," Jon said coolly.

Frankie got between the two men. "Todd Braxton, I'd like you to meet my brother-in-law Jon Weasley. And you've met Allison Weasley, my sister."

"Why is it that all the good ones are taken?" Todd said still looking fondly at Allison.

Allison was still blushing furiously and Jon looked less than thrilled at Todd's words.

"Why don't you two go and grab yourselves something to drink?" Frankie suggested.

"Will do," Jacob pulled on Todd's arm.

"Sorry about that Allie," Frankie apologised. "He's a bit forward."

"It's okay," Allison said. She looked at Jon, who still looked rather ticked.

"Come on then," Frankie said taking her sister's hand. "Let's get you a drink."

Ethan was watching Jon with a grin. "Your wife's a babe mate, get used to it."

"Well, she's my babe," Jon said. "That bloke didn't even blink when he found out she was married!"

"Some of those Quidditch players are like that," Ethan said. "You know Allie would never do anything though."

"That's right," Maddie reassured him. "Isn't that right Em?"

"Dada," Emma replied. "Em love Dada!"

Jon laughed and took his daughter from Maddie. "Dada loves Em too. Thank you baby."

"Come on Jon," Maddie said. "Let's go show you all the decorations we did." she led her brother into the sitting room as the doorbell rang again and Ethan answered it.

"Professor Malfoy," Ethan teased his older sister.

"Shut it Ethan," Julie said kissing him on the cheek.

"Hi Uncle Ethan!" Ashley said. "Look at my grass skirt! I made it myself!"

"I'm impressed, Ash," Ethan said hugging her. "And look at wee little Katie..."

"I'm not wee," Katie scowled at him.

"I stand corrected," he said mussing her hair which only caused her to scowl even harder at him. "Sorry Kit Kat."

"She just HAD to wear Caroline's tiara," Ashley rolled her eyes as Nick came up the steps.

"And it looks lovely," Julie said, giving her older daughter a warning look.

"Alright Ethan?" Nick said shaking his hand. "You look like a pasty old Englishman."

"Look who's talking," Ethan returned with a grin. "You're not so tan yourself these days you big rock star."

"I haven't seen a beach since Brighton," Nick said laughing.

"Obviously," Ethan teased. "Come on in, go see what the girls have been up to."

Nick led Ashley and Katie inside and Julie hung back with her brother. "So how are things with you and Maddie? Back to normal?"

"Yeah," Ethan replied. "We've talked about it and I think she's okay now. I still want to bloody kill the bastard."

"Dad said he was sacked from the Ministry and he's still under investigation for what he did to you?" Julie asked.

"That's right," Ethan said. "Technically, Maddie wasn't able to charge him with anything but Bree and I were, for drugging us."

"I still can't believe someone would do something like that," Julie said shaking her head.

"Tell me about it," Ethan said. "I'm just glad Bree was able to tell Mason in time. She was a real wreck when he told her he was leaving for the States."

"They're doing okay now though right?" Julie asked.

"They're working on it," Ethan replied. "He's got some trust issues from an old girlfriend cheating on him so that's why he reacted so badly."

Julie nodded. "Well, hopefully they'll be able to get past this. Bree's a great girl."

"She is," Ethan nodded. "I'm glad Mads still wants to be friends with her too."

"Saffy told me to tell you hello and she thought it was very unfair that she and R.J. couldn't get special permission to come to this party," Julie said laughing.

Ethan laughed. "Because I'm so sure she's having a rotten time at school with that Peter bloke."

"I promised her I wouldn't share any details with you about that," Julie said firmly. "I gave her my word as a sister."

"I wasn't going to ask," Ethan grimaced. "Perfectly happy not knowing."

Chiaki fingered the collar of her cloak as she and Toshio walked up the front steps. "I don't know about this, Tosh."

"Don't know about what?" Toshio asked.

"I'm still carrying my baby weight," Chiaki said frowning at him. "And some of Frankie's friends are really fit and slender..."

"Chi you look gorgeous," Toshio told his wife. "You are just as slender as you were before you had the twins."

"No, I'm not," Chiaki protested. "Let's just go home and..."

"No," Toshio caught her hand. "Chiaki you are a beautiful woman. And you've never looked more breathtaking than you have lately."

"Tosh," Chiaki started to protest, but her words were cut off by his very passionate kiss.

"Mmm..." he said, caressing her cheek. "You're the most beautiful woman I've ever laid eyes on, ever. I've thought so since that first day we danced together."

"You tripped over my feet," Chiaki giggled.

"I was so stunned at my good fortune," he flirted.

"I love you," she said kissing him once more. "Okay, let's go inside."

"That's my Chi," he said, clasping their hands together as he rang the doorbell.

"Kiki!" Ethan said engulfing her in a big hug.

"You pulled door duty eh?" Chiaki said hugging him back.

"Kind of got stuck," Ethan laughed. "Tosh, mate how are you?"

"Knackered, but happy," Toshio replied.

Chiaki took a deep breath and then unbuttoned her cloak to reveal her flower-print sundress.

Ethan let out a wolf whistle. "Looking good Kiki."

"How much is my husband paying you?" Chiaki asked hitting Ethan on the arm.

"That was a bona fide compliment," Ethan said.

"Thanks," Chiaki said blushing.

Frankie caught sight of her older sister and made a beeline for her.

"Chi!" Frankie exclaimed. "I'm so glad you guys came! How are my niece and nephew?"

"They're good," Toshio kissed Frankie's cheek. "Your parents are watching them tonight."

"I have the cutest little Puddlemere shirts that I want to give to them," Frankie said. "Remind me to give them to you before you leave tonight. They're so cute!"

Allison and Maddie were talking in the corner when Todd and Jacob came over to join them.

"You look like you could use a drink," Todd said smiling at Allison. "Or at the very least a dance..."

"Oh," Allison said, still flattered but wishing the guy would take a hint. "I've got a drink, thank you. And I promised my husband I'd dance with him first."

"Looks like he's a little preoccupied," Todd said motioning to where Jon was entertaining Mia, Caroline and Katie.

"I appreciate it," Allison said. "But no thank you."

"Well you know where I am if you change your mind," Todd said winking at her before walking away with Jacob.

"He's certainly persistent," Maddie said staring after him.

"No kidding," Allison muttered. "I mean it's nice to be appreciated, sure, but Jon always tells me he thinks I'm pretty."

"You are," Maddie said grinning at her. "Come on, let's go get something else to drink."

Jon set Mia back down on the carpet after giving her a piggy back ride.

"Me next Daddy!" Caroline said holding up her hands.

"Alright then Angel Girl," Jon said hoisting her up on his shoulders. "You next..."

Jacob and Todd were nearby and at first Jon didn't even notice them until he heard what they were saying.

"That brunette is hot," Todd said eying Allison across the room.

"What part of 'she's married' are you having trouble with?" Jacob asked rolling his eyes.

Jon bristled at the other man's words but kept his temper down in front of his daughter.

"Come on mate, marriage laws are made to be broken," Todd said easily.

"You, my friend, are playing with fire," Jacob said draining his glass.

"Let's make a bet," Todd challenged.

Jacob raised his eyebrow. "What sort of bet?"

Todd looked across the room at Allison, oblivious to Jon standing nearby. "A thousand galleons says I have that girl going home with me by the end of the night."

Jacob rolled his eyes. "You are so going to lose that." he said.

Caroline tapped her father on the head. "Come on Daddy! Why'd you stop?"

"Sorry baby," Jon grunted, walking away from the two men.

As the party got underway, Allison mingled with some of her sister's guests and caught up with Julie listening intently to her tales of teaching at Hogwarts. She couldn't help but notice that her husband was being awfully distant. In fact, she hadn't seen much of him the entire evening. Worse yet, that Todd kept coming over to her every chance he could get.

"Mind if I steal my wife away?" Nick asked Allison.

"Oh sure," Allison smiled at him. "I'm sure you two are dying to spend some time together. I'm going to find Jon- I'm sure he's raiding the kitchen."

"You know him too well," Nick teased. "I saw in there with Josh."

"Great," Allison smiled. "You two have fun."

Josh handed his brother a beer. "Come on mate. It's a party. Be happy. It could be worse. You could be getting by on zero sleep and your wife could be nursing triplets."

"That's true," Jon smirked. "At least I'm getting some."

"You know you make it very hard for me to like you sometimes," Josh said.

"Hey you two," Allison came into the kitchen. "Why aren't you in the sitting room with everyone else?"

"I came in here to get Lizzy something to eat," Josh replied. "And Mr. Happiness here was cutting me down as usual..."

"Jon be nice," Allison said. "They're looking after three infants, remember?"

"Listen to your wife," Josh said grabbing his drink and the plate he had for Lizzy. "I'll catch up with you two later..."

Allison sat down and noticed her husband's glum expression. "Everything okay?"

Jon shrugged. "Where's your shadow?"

"You mean that guy?" Allison asked. "I don't know what his deal is."

He wasn't going to tell her what he'd heard Todd say. "Can I ask you something Al? And I want you to be completely honest with me, okay?"

"Of course I'll be honest with you," Allison gave her husband a strange look.

"Are you ever...sorry for us getting married so young?" he asked looking right at her. "I was the only boy you ever kissed, the only one you ever dated, and the only one you've ever..."

"I've never regretted any of that," Allison said without hesitation.

"You had a lot of dreams Allie," Jon said quietly. "And I don't want to be that person who stopped you from having all you ever wanted."

"All I ever wanted is what I have now," Allison said. "What brought this on- that guy out there? Jon, I've said maybe ten words to him. He's not making me doubt any feelings for you. I love you and I love our daughters more than anything on this earth. I love our life together."

Jon smiled and took her hand pulling her into his lap. "And you and the girls are all I've ever wanted. I just never want to lose you, Allie."

"You never will," Allison kissed him. "We've been through way too much Jonathan Arthur."

"That we have," Jon said touching her cheek. "And you do look amazing tonight, Al."

"Thank you," Allison kissed him again. "Come on, let's go see what our daughters are doing."

"Lead the way," Jon said grinning at her.

Mia, Caroline, Emma and Katie were actually dancing together in the middle of the room. Caroline was helping her sister who looked to be having the time of her life as Caroline spun her around.

"You're not very good," Katie said as Mia twirled. "I'm just saying that you need a lot of practise."

"My daddy said I'm the best dancer he ever saw," Mia said.

Katie giggled. "Daddies are supposed to say stuff like that."

"Go Em!" Caroline clapped.

"Caroline's staying over at MY house this weekend," Katie said smugly. "We're going to watch movies and play dress up and make Malfoy pizza."

"What's Malfoy pizza?" Mia asked interestedly.

"I can't tell you," Katie said spinning around. "You're not a Malfoy."

"Oh," Mia said, feeling a little left out. "But neither is Caroline."

"But she's my best friend," Katie said. "And since I'm a Malfoy, I can tell her."

Ashley glared at her sister. "Mia there's really nothing different about it. It's just a regular pizza."

"Ashley!" Katie glowered.

Ashley took her sister's arm and led her off the dance floor. "You are being really mean to Mia, Katie. It's not nice to make someone feel like that."

"You wouldn't know," Katie retorted. "You have no friends."

"At least I'm not a spoiled brat!" Ashley shot back.

Nick stood behind his daughters, his arms folded. "What's going on here?" he frowned.

"Nothing Daddy," Katie said innocently.

Ashley shook her head. "She's being really mean to Mia again." she tattled.

"I was not!" Katie said defensively. "I was just telling her about Caroline sleeping over at our house this weekend. That's all."

"That better be all," Nick said seriously. "Or Caroline won't be coming over. Do you understand me Katherine Rose?"

"Yes Daddy," Katie answered looking down at her feet.

"And Ashley, no more tattling," Nick said. "Go have fun, and if you can't get along, then stay away from each other. Understood?"

Both girls nodded and walked away from their father. Ethan and Maddie were dancing nearby and looked sympathetically at him.

"Those two are going to make me go prematurely grey," Nick said to them.

"I thought I saw a bit of silver at your hairline," Ethan said cheekily.

"Be nice, boys," Maddie chastised.

Ethan grinned. "Where's my sister?" he asked. "Still talking about school?"

"Sharing parenting tips with Chi," Nick said. "I think I'll go and find Tosh so we can talk about Quidditch."

Maddie giggled as Nick grabbed himself a drink and found Toshio in the corner. "This party has turned out really well," she said. "Frankie was a bit down after running into that Alicia but this has really perked her back up."

"Dancing with you has really perked me up," Ethan said dipping her.

Maddie laughed. "I bet it has," she replied, winding her arms around his neck.

Ethan gave her his cheekiest grin. "And you did get lei'd tonight."

Maddie laughed harder. "By the man I love most in the world." she gave him a kiss.

"It was worth the wait," he said when they pulled apart.

She shook her head. "You're very naughty tonight Ethan James."

"It's not me," he said innocently. "It's you. You're a bad influence, Maddie Molly."

"I am not!" she said, pretending to be offended.

"You've got me thinking some really naughty thoughts," he said pulling her closer.

"Do I?" she asked, letting her lips brush his ear. "Will you indulge me a little?"

"By all means," he whispered.

"Look at them," Frankie said to her husband. "You wouldn't think they had just had the worst fight ever just a few weeks ago by the way they're acting now."

"We were the same way after we had our rows," Will said putting an arm around her.

"I know," Frankie said. "And I'm happy for them."

"I'm proud of you Francesca," Will said giving her a kiss.

"Why's that?" Frankie asked with a smile.

"Putting this party together," he replied. "Decorating the house. Juggling your career with being a newlywed. You, my love, are amazing."

"I happen to agree," Frankie giggled, giving him another kiss. "But you know I couldn't do it without you."

Will was about to say something else to his wife when he felt someone tugging on his leg. He looked down to see Caroline beaming up at him.

"Hi Uncle Will," she said nervously.

"Hey there Princess," he smiled. "Are you having fun?"

Caroline nodded. "Can I ask you something?"

"Of course you can," Will said, kneeling down so he was eye level with her. "Anything you want."

Caroline bit her bottom lip and started to kick her foot on the carpet. "My birthday is coming up in a few weeks," she said shyly.

"I know," Will grinned at her. "And I already know what I'm getting you Princess."

"You do?" Caroline asked looking up at him.

"I do," Will said. "But you're going to have to wait until then to see."

Caroline giggled. "You're coming to my party, right?"

"We wouldn't miss it for the world," Frankie promised.

"That's right," Will replied. "And I heard from your mum that it's a Disney party."

"Well," Caroline said shyly. "I'm going to be Princess Jasmine. And Katie's going to be Cinderella. Mia's going to be Mulan. And I was wondering..."

Will grinned. "What's that?" he asked when Caroline hesitated.

"If you'd be Aladdin," Caroline finished staring earnestly up at him.

"I'd love to," Will answered. "Especially since you'll be Jasmine."

"Really?" Caroline asked throwing her arms around his neck and hugging him.

Frankie grinned as Will laughed and hugged her back.

"Do I get to dress up too?" Frankie asked her niece.

"If you want to," Caroline said, delighted that her new uncle indeed would be Aladdin. "You could be Pocahontas Aunt Frankie."

"Which one was she again?" Frankie asked. "They're all starting to blend together."

"She was the Indian princess," Caroline explained.

"Oh!" Frankie said. "Oooh, I could totally do that."

Caroline clapped her hands delightedly. "Aunt Maddie could be Sleeping Beauty!"

Frankie laughed. "You'll have everyone dressed to the nines, won't you?" she asked. She heard the doorbell ring and figured that they had a latecomer waiting outside.

"Hello!" she called cheerily opening the front door. "Clara?" her face revealed her shock.

"Hiya Frankie," Clara Choovanski said stepping inside. "You look fabulous!"

"Thank you," Frankie said, still staring at her. "What... what are you doing here?"

"I heard you were having a party," Clara said. "And I didn't mean to crash, but I didn't want to spend a weekend at the resort with that horrible Gretchen Travers and Alicia."

"Come on in," Frankie said. "I'm glad you came... I didn't think I'd really see any of you again after I stopped talking to Alicia."

"I have a bit of a confession to make," Clara admitted. "The only reason I tolerated Alicia was because of you."

"Really?" Frankie asked, flattered.

"Please," Clara said laughing. "She's annoying, superficial and doesn't care about anything that doesn't centre around her."

"You know her so well," Frankie deadpanned, then gave her friend a hug. "I really missed hanging with you."

"Me too," Clara said hugging her back. "And your house is darling, Frankie!"

"Thank you," Frankie beamed. "Let me give you the grand tour and then I'll get you a drink okay?"

"That sounds brilliant," Clara said following her friend.

"Mate, you are so losing that bet," Jacob said gleefully as he motioned to where Jon and Allison were sitting close on the sofa, talking and kissing every so often.

"It's not over yet," Todd said handing his friend his drink. "Watch and learn."

Jacob only shook his head as his friend strode over to the couple.

Todd gave Allison his most charming smile. "You've been avoiding me all night. You aren't getting out of here without a dance, Gorgeous."

"She's sitting with me," Jon replied before Allison could. "Me, her husband."

"I'm just asking for one dance," Todd said his eyes still on Allison. "I'm sure you won't mind just one innocent little dance mate."

"I appreciate it Todd," Allison said. "But really, no thank you."

"We should probably get going, Al," Jon said. "We want to get the girls to bed and then..."

"Right," Allison said, relieved to be leaving Todd's presence.

Todd watched in disbelief as Allison gave her husband a kiss before going off to retrieve Caroline and Emma.

"I was just asking for a dance," he said to Jon. "No reason to be offended."

"I'm not offended," Jon said with a shrug. "I actually feel sorry for you mate."

"Excuse me?" Todd asked incredulously.

"You're out a thousand galleons and you're going home alone," Jon said clapping him on the back. "Not a good night for you...."

"How did you know?" Todd glared at him.

"Well, I'm nowhere near as smooth as you," Jon replied. "But I don't think you should make bets on taking my wife home with me standing just a few feet away."

Jacob, who was listening to every word, laughed loudly.

"Ready to go Jon?" Allison asked softly. She was carrying Emma and Caroline was standing beside her.

"I think Em is," Jon said, turning his back on a seething Todd. "Caroline, sweetheart are you ready to go spend the night at Uncle Nick's?"

Caroline yawned. "I'm sleepy Daddy."

"Maybe we should plan it another night then," Jon said, lifting her up.

Caroline was too tired to argue and she rested her head on her father's shoulder.

"Why don't you go on ahead," Jon told his wife. "I'll go see if Nick and Julie mind having her tomorrow night instead of tonight."

Caroline's eyes were already closed as Jon carried her off in search of Nick and Julie.

"Partying really takes it out of you, eh sweetie?" Jon asked patting her back.

Caroline nodded. "But guess what Daddy?"

"What's that?" Jon asked.

"Uncle Will said he would be Aladdin for my birthday," Caroline replied.

Jon smiled. "Just like you wanted Angel Girl."

Caroline nodded. "He said he would especially since I was going to be Jasmine." she blushed.

Jon finally spotted Nick and Julie sitting on a sofa with their girls. Katie looked a little knackered too and she was leaning against Nick with her eyes half closed.

"I think our girls partied themselves out," Jon said. "Al and I were wondering if we could take a rain check on the sleepover."

"Sure," Nick said, looking at Julie. "I think Katie's pretty much gone too."

"Would you still be able to take her tomorrow night?" Jon asked. "We understand if you can't--"

"We'd love to have her," Julie replied.

"I'm really sorry Katie," Caroline said yawning.

Katie jerked awake at the sound of her name. "What?"

Julie laughed. "Caroline's not going to sleep over tonight, Katie. She's tired and since you just woke up, I'd say you were pretty much the same."

Katie didn't say anything but she saw that Mia across the room with her own parents, also getting ready to leave and her eyes narrowed. "Fine," she said simply.

"Daddy said I could come over tomorrow," Caroline said drowsily. "And we can make pizza and I'll bring my magic carpet."

Katie only nodded and looked away.

"We'll see you tomorrow Caroline," Nick said. "See ya Jon."

"Bye mate," Jon replied, carrying his daughter away.

Katie took the tiara off her head. "I'm not giving this back, ever."

"It's not yours Katie," Ashley reminded her. "You have to give it back."

"Caroline said it looked better on me," Katie replied, glaring at her sister. "And it definitely looks better on me than on that Mia."

"You don't want friends," Ashley said rolling her eyes. "You just want people to fall all over you. Newsflash Katie...the world doesn't revolve around you."

"Shut up Ashley," Katie retorted, jumping off the sofa.

Julie picked up Katie. "Come on, let's go say goodbye to Frankie and Will and get you two home."

Katie pushed away from her mother. "I can walk!"

Julie sighed. "Okay, Katherine."

Katie was following her parents and sister to say goodbye when she saw Mia standing near the table where the rest of the food was.

"Hi Katie," Mia said, still attempting to be friendly. "Are you leaving? I'm going home too."

"I bet you are," Katie mumbled under her breath.

"Is Caroline still going home with you?" Mia asked.

Katie fumed. It was bad enough that her best friend had ditched her to hang out with another girl. Now that same girl was rubbing her nose in it. Well, she wasn't about to let her get away with it.

"Caroline's gone home," Katie said haughtily. "I hope you two have a great time together."

"What?" Mia was confused. "I'm not going to play with Caroline tonight."

"My mummy and daddy say it isn't nice to lie," Katie said folding her arms.

"I'm not lying," Mia replied. "I asked if Caroline could come over but her daddy told me she was too sleepy."

"Yeah right," Katie said. "Caroline's my best friend, Mia. She always has been and she always will be. She's only friends with you because your uncle married her aunt."

Mia looked down at her sandals. "She's my new cousin. She told me she likes to come over and play."

Katie grinned. She had Mia right where she wanted her. "That's not what she told me. And I would know, wouldn't I? I'm her bestest friend in the whole wide world. And you're just a Muggle."

"I am not," Mia informed her. "My uncle Will says I'm a witch too!"

Jack turned his attention to his daughter when he heard her and Katie's raised voices.

"What is it popkin?" Jack asked kneeling down. "Everything okay?"

Mia nodded. "I just want to go home Daddy," she replied.

Jack smiled at her. "Let's go then, sweetheart."

Katie turned away as Mia was carried off by her father, only to find Ashley glowering at her.

"You are in so much trouble," Ashley said gleefully. "I heard everything you said and I'm telling!"

"I wasn't lying," Katie said. "Caroline told me that she only is friends with Mia because of Frankie and Will being married!"

"That's not true and you know it," Ashley crossed her arms. "You're just mad because you're not Caroline's only friend anymore. You don't know how many friends she has from school!"

"Why don't you mind your own business?" Katie yelled.

"Katherine Rose," Julie came upon her daughters. "What on earth are you yelling about?"

"Ashley thinks she knows everything!" Katie said angrily.

"I know more than you do," Ashley shot back in a superior tone.

"Enough," Julie said getting between them. "I thought you two agreed to be civil to each other tonight, but you couldn't manage it for one evening, could you?"

"Mummy she was being SO mean to Mia just now," Ashley reported. "She was telling her that Caroline said they were only friends because of Frankie and Will getting married!"

Julie levelled her gaze at her youngest daughter. "Katherine Rose, please tell me you didn't say something like that?"

Katie folded her arms and looked away.

"Okay," Julie said, not wanting to get into this in the middle of Frankie's party. "We're going to have a long talk when we get home, Katie." Julie didn't have to turn around to know Ashley was giving her sister a triumphant look. "And Ashley, we're going to talk about you always feeling the need to tattle."

Katie couldn't resist sending a smirk her sister's way as her mother placed a firm hand on her shoulder and went to find her father.

81. Ch 81

Authors note: Thank you guys for being understanding about the review replies. You guys really are the best! The Hogwarts crew returns in this chapter. We hope you enjoy!

Over the next couple of weeks, Saffron and Alexa settled down into extensive study schedules for their Owls. Every evening after dinner, the two friends would retire to the library until just before curfew. Peter would sometimes join them and every now and then convince Saffron to go for a study break in the restricted section. Tonight, the girls were studying alone, but Peter had promised to join them after he tutored one of his housemates.

"These Goblin Revolutions are all starting to blend together," Alexa said turning the page of her History of Magic text.

Saffron rubbed her eyes. "Tell me about it," she said. "I never thought I'd say this, but I'm tired of studying."

"I know we said we'd work on Ancient Runes tonight too, but I don't think I can take it," Alexa said yawning. "Though I certainly need the help."

"I promise if you put it off until tomorrow, I'll go over anything you want," Saffron closed her textbook.

"Deal," Alexa said closing her book, too. "I'm so sleepy."

"Do you want to head back to the common room?" Saffron asked, stuffing her book into her bag with the rest of them.

"We can wait," Alexa said. "I know you wanted to see Peter..."

Saffron smiled. "Yeah..."

"How's that going by the way?" Alexa asked grinning at her friend.

"He is so sweet," Saffron replied. "And so cute- he doesn't know what to do about all the attention he's been getting from other girls since school started."

"He only cares about the attention he gets from you," Alexa said.

"I guess it just goes to show that when you treat people nicely, they remember it later," Saffron said thoughtfully. "I mean, people were so mean to Peter when he looked like he did last year. I always thought he was so nice, but I just didn't have any romantic feelings for him then."

"Until he became fanciable?" Alexa asked teasingly.

"Right," Saffron giggled. "Oh and guess what I got today!"

"What?" Alexa asked.

"Sean sent me a letter," Saffron said. "He mailed it to my mum and she owled it to me."

"Oooh," Alexa said. "What did the first boyfriend have to say for himself? Does he know he's been replaced?"

"He will when I write back," Saffron said. "And he's seeing some girl at school too."

"And you're okay with that?" Alexa asked. "I know you two agreed to see other people and all, but it can't be easy to hear about that..."

"If I didn't have Peter I'd probably be a bit jealous." Saffron replied.

"Just a bit?" Alexa asked. "Come on, Saffy. I know how much you cared about Sean."

"I know but it was partly my idea that we break up," Saffron replied. "I mean, I'm only fifteen. I don't want to be tied down- I want to have fun. And I don't know if I'd like having a long distance relationship where I only saw him during holidays."

"I can understand that," Alexa said. They stopped chatting for a moment when the librarian passed by their table shooting them a warning look.

Saffron rolled her eyes while pulling out a piece of parchment and a new quill. "I guess I'll write him back while we wait. Where's R.J. tonight?"

"Boys night," Alexa replied. "Andrew taught them how to play poker and they're now all obsessed."

Saffron shook her head. "So that's why he wanted to borrow five Galleons."

Alexa laughed. "That's probably why, but on the upshot maybe I'll finally get to sleep at a decent hour."

Saffron grinned devilishly. "Just how often do you sneak up to his dorm?"

"Most every night," Alexa said blushing. "At first, I was so nervous that someone was going to catch us that I couldn't sleep, but he has this way of taking my mind off of it."

"I bet he does," Saffron snorted, leaning in. "How far have you two gone now?" she whispered.

"Saffy!" Alexa hissed turning to make sure no one had heard them.

"What I was quiet!" Saffron said. "Come on Lex, I'm your best friend!"

"Okay," Alexa whispered. "We've not gone all the way, if that's what you're asking, but we've come close."

"Really?" Saffron's eyes were wide.

Alexa blushed and nodded.

"Wow," Saffron sat back. "Pete and I are nowhere near that point."

"He doesn't try and push me or anything," Alexa said. "He stops when I tell him too, but lately it's getting harder and harder to say stop when I feel like I want him to keep going. You know?"

"Promise me you'll just make sure you're protected when you do take that step," Saffron said.

"I will," Alexa promised.

"Hiya Saffy," Peter said coming over to their table. "Lex."

"Hey Pete," Saffron grinned at him. "How was tutoring?"

"You don't want to know," Peter said chuckling as he pecked her on the cheek. "I shouldn't have agreed to help those third-years out. For Ravenclaws, you'd think they'd catch on a bit quicker."

"Guess they all can't be as smart as you," Saffron said as he sat down.

"Nowhere near as smart as you," Peter said. "I thought you two were studying."

"We were," Saffron said. "We got tired of it for tonight."

Peter noticed a letter poking out of Saffron's textbook. "From your mum and dad?" he asked.

"Oh," Saffron said. "No, it's from my friend Sean."

Peter tensed up at this. "Oh."

Alexa stuffed her books and parchment into her bag thinking they might like some time alone. "I'm going to head on up to the common room, Saffy. Have a good night Peter."

"Bye," Peter said quietly.

"I'll see you in a little while," Saffron said. "Want to go for a walk or something?" she asked her boyfriend once Alexa had gone.

"Not really," he said in that same quiet detached tone.

"Oh," Saffron said, putting the letter she'd been writing back in her bag. "Did you want to do anything?"

"Does he write to you all the time?" Peter asked abruptly.

"Sean?" Saffron gave him a strange look. "No, this was the first time since summer hols."

"Do you still fancy him?" Peter asked.

"No," Saffron replied. "I have you Peter."

Peter instantly relaxed at her words. "Sorry for getting jealous for a moment."

Saffron smiled. "You have nothing to worry about."

He leaned in and kissed her. "Come on then. Let's go check out the restricted section..."

"Hmm," she said. "What's back there that's so interesting?"

"I need to study something back there," he said standing up and offering her his hand.

Saffron left her bag on the chair and followed him. "What do you have to study?" she asked coyly.

"First off, I think I need to study Saffron's eyes," Peter whispered leading her to the back of the library. "And then, her lips...."

"I like the lips part," she said with a grin.

"Do you think I'll get top marks?" he asked cheekily.

"You'll have to work hard for them," Saffron said with a twinkle in her eye.

"How's this for a start?" he asked pulling her to him with one deft movement and kissing her.

"Very... very good..." she whispered.

Peter's hand slid underneath Saffron's robes and she gasped as she felt his hand on her stomach. "How am I doing?" he asked softly.

"Even better," she said softly, her eyes half closed.

He kissed her again wanting to make her forget all about this Sean bloke.

Saffron forgot they were in the library as she pulled Peter as close as she possibly could, pressing her body to his as their kiss heated up.

Emboldened by her move, Peter inched his hand up her body.

"Mmmhmm..." she murmured her approval.

"Saffron," he whispered looking into her eyes.

"Yeah?" she asked, still a bit dazed.

"I'm falling for you," he said smiling at her.

She smiled back, brushing his hair out of his eyes. "I feel the same way."

"You make it easy," he said kissing her forehead.

"You're not too hard about things yourself," Saffron said, her arms still around him. "Aside from being dreamy, you're sweet and smart."

"You think I'm dreamy?" he asked with a grin.

"Of course I do," Saffron poked his side.

Peter laughed. "I wish you could come back upstairs with me."

"Tell me about it," Saffron gave him another kiss.

"Come on then," he said taking her hand. "We don't want you to miss curfew. I guess I'll settle for walking you back."

"That sounds fabulous," Saffron said, leaning against him as she retrieved her bag and they left the library. "I have to do rounds tomorrow night. Maybe you can keep me company in my dad's cloak."

"Now that sounds fabulous," Peter said putting his arm around her.

Meanwhile, Alexa finished her required reading in the common room. She couldn't wait to go to sleep and could practically hear her bed calling her name. Spending nearly every night in R.J.'s room was starting to catch up with her.

She was heading up the stairs to her dormitory when she heard R.J. calling her name. "Hey," she smiled. "I thought you guys were playing poker all night."

"We were until I ran out of money," he admitted. "I might not be able to afford a Christmas present for you now."

Alexa shook her head. "And here I've been telling everyone what a gentleman you are..."

"I'll win it back," R.J. promised. "You going to bed then?"

"I'm completely knackered," Alexa nodded.

"Completely?" he asked.

"Yes," she answered as he pulled her close. "R.J.... whenever I stay with you we're up almost all night..."

"We'll go straight to sleep," he promised nuzzling her neck.

"You're playing dirty," Alexa already felt herself weakening.

"Not yet," he said cheekily. "How about you go and get ready for bed and then we'll sneak you in?"

"R.J...." she said, trying to pull away. "I really need some sleep tonight. And you know as well as I do that we'll never go right to sleep if I sneak in."

"I promise to be on my best behaviour," he said. "And we'll just sleep tonight. Please? Come on..."

Alexa let out an almost inaudible whimper as he nibbled under her ear. "All right... you win. Again."

"There's something I didn't hear all night," he said giving her a kiss.

Alexa giggled when he pulled away. "That's because your good luck charm wasn't there."

"That's right," he said smiling at her. "Okay, I'll see you soon then Miss O'Leary. Don't keep me waiting..."

"Do I ever?" she asked, giving him another kiss.

"No," he said. "You don't."

"One of these days I'm going to sneak you in with me," she said, running her hand down his chest.

"I would be a Hogwarts legend if I could do that," R.J. said. "Going where no man has gone before..."

Alexa laughed again. "Okay," she said. "I'll see you in about fifteen."

He smiled. "Okay and I promise you will get loads of nice, relaxing, peaceful sleep."

"And if you don't deliver?" she asked.

"R.J. Weasley always delivers," he said before heading toward the boys' dorm.

Alexa smiled at him and shook her head before going to change.

The next morning found Alexa sneaking out of the boys' dorm. R.J. had delivered on his promise and she felt more relaxed and refreshed than she had in days.

"Well good morning to you too," Saffron said as her friend snuck in.

Alexa smiled at her. "I really was planning on sleeping here last night, Saf."

"I'm sure you were," Saffron teased.

"All we did was sleep," Alexa said pulling out her uniform. "I promise."

Saffron smiled. "I'm so glad R.J.'s treating you good Lex."

"He is," Alexa said grinning. "How about you and Peter? You explain to him about Sean?"

"Yeah I told him we're just friends," Saffron paused in plaiting her hair. "He told me he's falling for me." she confessed with a big grin.

"Saffy! That's great," Alexa said happy for her friend.

"Peter's really hot," Mimi said pulling back the curtains of her four-poster bed. When Saffron and Alexa glared at her, she rolled her eyes. "It's not eavesdropping when I'm in my own room."

"I know he's hot," Saffron replied.

"R.J.'s really hot too," Mimi said. "I guess there's no need to ask where you were last night, Lexie."

"I'll thank you not to blab that around," Alexa replied, pulling her robes on.

"Your secret is safe with me," Mimi promised pulling back her covers.

Beth came into the room. "McGonagall wants to see you, Alexa. Before your first class."

"She does?" Alexa asked. "Why?"

"She didn't say," Beth replied. "She was posting some announcements in the common room and asked me to let you know."

"All right," Alexa shared a confused look with Saffron before pulling her hair into a hasty ponytail and heading downstairs.

R.J. had planned on getting some flying practise in before his first class, but he'd no more made it downstairs with his broom before some third-year told him Professor McGonagall wanted to see him in her office immediately.

He was about to leave the common room when he noticed his girlfriend heading downstairs. "Hey," he greeted her. "McGonagall wants to see me, but maybe I'll meet you in the Great Hall once I'm done?"

Alexa froze. "She wants to see me too, R.J.."

"She does?" his brow furrowed.

"Beth just told me," Alexa said. "You don't think..."

"How would she have found out?" R.J. put an arm around her.

"Right," Alexa said relaxing. "It's probably nothing."

"Maybe she just wants some tips," R.J. teased. "Because I'm so suave."

Alexa laughed. "Well what does she want with me then?"

"Proof," R.J. replied.

"That must be it," Alexa said giving him a kiss. "Let's go and get this over with, Mr. Suave."

"Right," R.J. led her to McGonagall's office, where he knocked politely.

"Come in," Professor McGonagall called out. R.J. held the door open for his girlfriend. The smile on Alexa's face fell when she realised Professor McGonagall had guests. Four guests, to be exact.

"Mum?" Alexa asked. "Dad? What are you doing here?"

"Please sit down, Miss O'Leary," McGonagall said with a grave face. "You too Mr. Weasley."

Alexa took a seat beside her mother and R.J. sat beside his parents.

"It has come to my attention by one of your fellow students that the two of you have engaged in some inappropriate activity in the Gryffindor dormitory," McGonagall folded her hands together.

The colour drained from Alexa's face.

"What do you mean inappropriate activity?" Patrick O'Leary asked.

"That isn't true," R.J. said. "All we did was sleep in the same bed. We've never done anything inappropriate."

"THAT would be the inappropriate activity," McGonagall said quietly.

"R.J.," Luna began her blue eyes dark. "You know things like that aren't allowed here at school.

"Dad did things like that all the time," R.J. said without thinking.

"That's not the point here Mr. Weasley," McGonagall said.

"We've just been sleeping together," R.J. said. "I don't see what the big---"

"I beg your pardon?" Patrick asked. "You're what?"

"Not like that!" R.J. replied, turning red. "Just... sleeping together."

"Daddy," Alexa began in a whisper. "We haven't done anything bad I promise."

"This is a serious offence," McGonagall continued. "I would have expected more from you, Miss O'Leary."

Alexa lowered her head as tears flooded her eyes. "I'm sorry Professor."

"Mr. Weasley," McGonagall continued. "You will be required to serve two weeks detention and you will not be able to play in next week's match against Hufflepuff."

"WHAT?" R.J. shouted, jumping out of his chair. "But Professor I'm the captain!"

"You can't do that, Professor," Ron protested in his son's defence.

McGonagall gave him a disapproving glare and Ron shrank back in his seat. "I can, and I'm afraid I must. This is quite serious.

"And Miss O'Leary," McGonagall continued. "You too will serve a two-week detention and any extracurricular activities and your Hogsmeade privileges are revoked for the next month."

"Yes Professor," Alexa accepted her punishment as she used her sleeve to wipe at her eyes.

"Who told?" R.J. asked defiantly.

"I am not at liberty to say, Mr. Weasley," McGonagall replied. "But I felt it necessary to bring it to the attention of your parents, seeing as how Miss O'Leary is not yet of age."

"Can we have a few minutes with our son?" Ron asked.

"We'd like some time with Alexa too," Karen said.

"Of course," McGonagall said. "I'll take you into the next office," she motioned for the O'Leary's to follow her.

When R.J. was alone with his parents, he let loose.

"She can't do this Dad!" R.J. protested. "I have to play next weekend. That Puddlemere scout is coming again!"

"Maybe you should have thought about that before you snuck Alexa into your room," Luna said quietly.

"But Mum we didn't do anything!" R.J. wanted to explode. "This is bloody bullshit!"

"You snuck Alexa into your dorm when you knew that was forbidden," Luna reminded him. "That's wrong, R.J.."

"I don't see how," Ron said. "I used to do it all the time. Hell, Parvati Patil practically lived in....okay; I think I'll shut up about that..."

"Then I'd say you're lucky you weren't caught," Luna gave her husband a look. "R.J., we trust you, all right? But sneaking your girlfriend into your room just isn't a good idea. Look what it's gotten you."

"I'll serve a thousand detentions with Snape," R.J. said. "But I cannot miss that match Mum. Isn't there anything you can do? Get Uncle Harry to talk to McGonagall or Dumbledore or something?"

"I'm sorry R.J.," Luna stood up. "You'll have to accept your punishment."

R.J. put his head in his hands and wondered if it was at all possible for things to get worse.

In the next room, Alexa couldn't meet her parents' eyes.

"I thought we raised you better than that Alexa," Karen chastised. "This isn't like you sweetheart."

"But I didn't do anything," Alexa said. "We just laid next to each other."

"How long have you just been lying together?" Patrick asked her point-blank. "When we let you go to Brighton with his family? Before that?"

Alexa looked away out the window, not wanting to answer her parents.

"We can't stop you from seeing R.J.," Karen said finally. "But I do ask that you respect our wishes and the school rules and not do anything like this anymore, Alexa."

"I won't," Alexa promised. "I'm really sorry," she said, crying in earnest now.

Karen hugged her. "You're too young to do things like that, Alexa. I know R.J.'s older..."

"Only by a year," Alexa buried her face in her mother's shoulder.

"So you haven't...." Patrick asked not able to bring himself to voice the question.

"No," Alexa shook her head. "I don't want to yet."

"Thank God," Patrick said.

Karen gave her husband a look. "This is quite the school you go to here," she said, trying to cheer her daughter up a bit.

"I wish you didn't have to come here like this," Alexa said wiping her eyes.

Karen stroked her hair back as Patrick put a hand on her arm. "We understand how easy it is to get caught up in these things," Karen said. "And we're still proud of you sweetheart."

"I won't disappoint you like this again," Alexa promised.

"We trust you Alexa," Patrick said.

"Thank you Daddy," Alexa said giving him a hug.

"Well that Professor of yours said she'd take us back when we were ready," Karen said. "You'll write to us soon right?"

"I will," Alexa said nodding.

They met Ron, Luna and R.J. coming out of McGonagall's office. The adults exchanged pleasantries while R.J. shot his girlfriend an apologetic look.

"I didn't really have girls coming in and out of my room when I was here," Ron told Patrick. "It was more like one girl, and to tell you the truth, she wore this terrible perfume that made my pillow stink..."

"Ronald," Luna said tapping him on the shoulder.

"Right," Ron turned red. "Sorry about this..."

"You didn't know," Karen said. "No one did, but we've spoken with Alexa as I'm sure you've spoken with R.J.."

"We have," Luna nodded.

"I think the children both know that this isn't acceptable behaviour," Karen said.

"Miss O'Leary and Mr. Weasley should probably be getting on to their lessons," McGonagall interrupted.

R.J. only glared at the deputy headmistress while Alexa nodded.

Alexa gave her parents a hug goodbye and said a quiet goodbye to Ron and Luna before walking out of the office.

R.J. also bid a polite goodbye to his girlfriend's parents, hoping that they wouldn't consider him a complete pervert unworthy of their daughter's affections. "I'll owl you Mum," he told Luna.

"Okay love," Luna said kissing his cheek.

Alexa arrived in the Great Hall just to catch the end of breakfast.

"Here," Saffron held out a plate. "I saved you some muffins."

"I'm not very hungry," Alexa said quietly. "But thanks..."

"What happened?" Saffron asked, noticing her friend's red eyes.

"R.J. was called into McGonagall's office too," Alexa said keeping her voice down so no one else could hear. "And when we walked in, our parents were there. Apparently, someone told McGonagall that I was sneaking into R.J.'s room at night."

"WHAT?" Saffron shouted.

"I take it she knows," R.J. said grumpily sitting across from them. "And now all of Hogwarts does too."

Alexa barely registered her boyfriend's arrival. This was her fault. Now everyone in Gryffindor would hate her along with R.J. because he wouldn't be able to play in next weekend's match.

"Who told?" Saffron asked, looking between her two friends. "I swear, when I find out who said something I'll kill them..."

"You'll need to queue up behind me," R.J. said angrily grabbing a muffin from the plate. "Thanks to that snitch, I don't get to play next weekend."

Saffron's jaw dropped in horror. "Are you serious?"

"I never joke about Quidditch," R.J. replied. "This is so bloody unfair!"

"Saffy?" Mimi asked tapping her friend on the shoulder. "I was wondering if I could borrow your...why are you looking at me like that?"

"You told didn't you?" Saffron asked furiously.

"Saf don't," R.J. said. "I really don't want all of the school to know what happened."

"I-I don't know what you're talking about," Mimi said looking right at Saffron. "I swear Saffy."

The group sitting at the Gryffindor table was so busy arguing that they didn't notice the gleeful, nasty smile on Christina Grant's face. "Serves them right," she whispered to her friend Monica. "That little red haired tart thinks she can steal my boyfriend, she'll realise she's playing with fire."

"Why don't you just let this go?" Monica asked. "I think it's you who is playing with fire."

Christina glared at her. "I want to teach that brat Potter a lesson too. I may not be able to prove it, but I just know she's the one who hit me with that curse at the beginning of term."

"Do you really think it's a good idea to stir up trouble for the Minister's daughter?" Monica asked. "And her dad is THE Harry Potter after all."

"Big bloody deal," Christina rolled her eyes.

"And you're doing all this to get R.J. back?" Monica asked. "Because, I hate to break this to you, but he doesn't seem to want you back Chris."

"I could care less about getting him back now," Christina flipped her hair over her shoulder. "But he should learn that dumping me comes with a price."

"I still think this is going to blow up in your face," Monica said looking over at the Gryffindor table. "Just like it did last time."

"Whatever," Christina glared at her. "You could be a little more supportive of me you know. I am supposedly your best friend."

"I am trying to stop you from doing something foolish," Monica said. "And I think that is a very best friend thing to do. I know you were hurt when R.J. dumped you, but there's other boys out there, Chris. You can spend your time finding one instead of plotting this revenge."

The blonde rolled her eyes. "Don't you think I don't know that you idiot?"

Monica shook her head and picked up her bag. "I'll see you in Potions."

"What are we supposed to do without our captain?" Saffron whispered to R.J.. "Honestly, what is McGonagall thinking?"

"I don't know," R.J. said glumly. "She always claims to be a strong supporter of the house team, but doing something like this doesn't make any sense. She might as well just have handed over the House Cup to Slytherin."

"We'll manage somehow," Saffron said determinedly. "Andrew can take over for one game- and we'll just have to use our reserve keeper. I promise, we'll still win R.J.."

"I suppose," R.J. said quietly.

"I need to do something before class," Alexa said hurriedly. "I'll see you in Charms, Saffy."

R.J. and Saffron both watched her hurry out of the Great Hall. "Great," R.J. ran his hands through his hair in frustration. "Now she's pissed at me too."

"She's not pissed," Saffron told him. "I've seen Alexa pissed and that's not her pissed off face. She's probably thinking this is her fault."

"It's my fault," R.J. said, getting up. "I'm going to see if she'll talk to me..."

"Classes start in five minutes," Saffron reminded her friend. "The last thing you need is to get in trouble for skiving off classes. Talk to her at lunch."

"If you get a chance, will you say something to her?" R.J. asked.

"I'll try," Saffron said. "It'll be okay R.J.."

He shook his head. "You know, this year isn't turning out like I planned. This is already the second big problem we've had since we got back here."

"Christina Grant better hope she wasn't behind this," Saffron said catching a glimpse of the blonde Ravenclaw as she walked out of the Great Hall.

R.J. only shook his head. "I don't know what her deal is. I mean, get over it already."

"Did McGonagall say anything about how she found out?" Saffron asked standing up.

"She wouldn't say," R.J. replied as they headed up the stairs.

"Lex's parents want to ream you out too?" Saffron asked.

"They gave me a few scary looks," R.J. confessed.

"Mr. O'Leary's pretty cool though," Saffron said. "And you are still breathing so that's a good sign."

"I guess," R.J. was still glum. "I'll see you later Saf."

Saffron watched him go before heading off in the direction of her Charms class.

*** *** ***

Alexa avoided both Saffron and R.J. all day. It was easy to avoid R.J. since they didn't have any classes together, but Saffron was hard to hide from. Alexa purposely arrived right before each class began so there wouldn't be any time to chat.

And to make matters worse, word had gotten out about what had happened. She knew that if she ran into R.J., he'd just tell her they should call things off.

"All right," Saffron said once they were in their last class. "You've been avoiding me Lex." she had to whisper since the lecture was already starting but since it was History of Magic, neither girl was too worried.

"I haven't," Alexa lied.

Saffron gave her a look. "Hello- am I not your best friend?"

"You are," Alexa whispered. "But I know you're mad at me too."

"Why would I be mad at you?" Saffron asked quizzically.

"If it weren't for me, R.J. would still be able to play next weekend," Alexa replied.

"You weren't the one who told," Saffron said. "Hell, I'm not even in a strop with R.J. over this. Why on earth would I take it out on you?"

"You're not?" Alexa asked in surprise.

"Of course not," Saffron hissed.

Alexa allowed a slight smile to play at her lips at this. "Thanks Saffy."

Saffron squeezed her friend's hand. "And R.J.'s not mad at you either you know." she whispered.

"Of course he is," Alexa said quietly. "Because of me, he's going to miss the match. Because of me, he's going to have to serve detention. I knew what we were doing was wrong, but I just couldn't help myself. And now he's paying for it."

Saffron rolled her eyes. "You both knew it wasn't allowed and you both did it. He's as ticked off about what happened as you are but he's not blaming you for it."

"Really?" Alexa asked. "He told you that?'

"Right after you left at breakfast," Saffron revealed.

Alexa relaxed at this. "I thought he wanted to break things off."

"Don't be daft," Saffron snorted.

"I just keep wondering who would have told," Alexa said thoughtfully. "No one knew except for R.J.'s roommates and you, Mimi and Beth."

"They'll regret it once we find out," Saffron said. "Think of it this way- not only does that person have to face my wrath, but yours and R.J.'s, and all of Gryffindor's because of their blabbing."

"That's true," Alexa said. "Do you think it might have been a Slytherin? A couple of them made some rude comments to me before I came in here."

"I don't know," Saffron said. "I mean who would have told a Slytherin?"

"I don't know," Alexa said. "Maybe they overheard us in the library last night."

"But we weren't talking loud at all," Saffron said. "And there was no one around... there were only a few people studying."

Alexa nodded. "It doesn't matter who told, I guess. McGonagall knows and so do our parents. The damage has been done."

"Right," Saffron said, leaning back in her chair. "Promise me you'll talk to R.J. though. He thinks you're mad at him."

"I will," Alexa promised. "Thanks Saffy."

"Good," Saffron smiled at her.

R.J.'s last class of the day was Double Potions and he was trying to concentrate and not draw the ire of Professor Snape who had already docked ten points from Gryffindor when a Slytherin had make some smart remark about Alexa to him.

“So you couldn’t convince McGonagall to let you play?” Andrew asked in a low voice once Snape had moved away from their table.

R.J. shook his head. "I'm going to keep working on her though."

"How about your girl?" Andrew asked even more quietly.

"Assuming she's still my girl, Lex can't go to Hogsmeade and she has detention too."

"That really sucks," Andrew said sympathetically.

Jason turned around and glared at R.J.. "If it weren't for you having to shag your girlfriend in our room, you wouldn't be in this mess."

R.J. glared back. "Mind your own fucking business. And I haven't shagged Lex yet."

"What the hell have you been doing with her then?" Jason asked. "Cuddling?"

"Hard to believe, I know," R.J. replied sarcastically. "What’s it to you anyway?"

"I just think it's a shame that we might lose the House Cup because you wanted to cuddle with your ickle girlfriend. I might be able to understand if you were getting something out of it."

"Who said we were going to lose?" Andrew said in R.J.'s defence. "We have a good team and the reserve keeper isn't bad. And it's only one game. We'll just have Saffron be looking for the Snitch and get it as fast as she can."

The boys grew silent as Snape passed their station once more glaring at them before continuing on his rounds.

"And what about that scout?" Jason asked. "He was coming to see you play again, right?"

"Yeah," R.J. said, feeling glum again.

"Hey, enough mate," Andrew glared at Jason. "He's already upset about it okay?"

"Fine," Jason said quietly turning back to his own table.

R.J. continued working on his own potion when Snape came up behind him. "Class, if everyone would take a look at Weasley's potion. You'll see how NOT to brew an Invigoration Draught."

R.J. rolled his eyes as the Slytherins in the class laughed at him.

"Perhaps if you spent more time studying," Snape said icily. "And less time engaging in other activities..."

"Like you would know a snog even if it smacked you in the face," R.J. retorted, not caring that he would most likely be getting another detention.

Snape glared at him. "It'd be a shame for you to miss two matches..."

"You can't do that," Andrew said quickly. "Only our head of house can do something like that."

R.J. smirked back at the Potions professor.

"Thank you Mr. Kirke," Snape said. "You can help your friend in detention this evening. Both of you in my office at seven."

"What?" Andrew said. "That's not fair!"

"Would you like to make it two evenings then?" Snape shot back. When Andrew didn't answer, Snape nodded and walked back toward the front of the classroom.

"Great," Jason said turning around. "Because R.J. needed a cuddle, you've got detention now too, Andrew."

"Sod off," Andrew retorted.

"I'm sorry mate," R.J. said.

"At least we can keep each other company," Andrew said with a slight grin. "Nice comeback to the pasty wanker by the way."

"Thanks," R.J. managed a smile back.

Class finally came to an end, but not without Snape reminding Andrew and R.J. of tonight's detention.

"As if we could forget," R.J. said as he and Andrew made their way out of the classroom.

"No shit," Andrew replied. "Detention with the greasy git."

"Can't wait," R.J. said sarcastically. "Just how I wanted to spend my night. Did you notice how he didn't take any points off McDonald for that shite remark he made?"

"I know," Andrew replied. "I don't think he's ever taken points off Slytherin. I guess he knows they'd lose the House Cup if he did."

"If we do happen to lose next weekend," R.J. said. "And I don't think we will, we'll still be tied with Slytherin."

"We won't," Andrew said determinedly.

They climbed the stairs to Gryffindor tower and ran into Saffron and Alexa when they reached the portrait of the Fat Lady.

"Hi," R.J. said quietly.

"Hello," Alexa said nervously

Saffron grabbed Andrew by the hand. "How about we go over strategy, Andrew?"

"Right," Andrew said nodding. "I'll catch up with you later R.J.."

"See you Andrew," R.J. said, his eyes on Alexa.

Alexa reached up and pushed a strand of hair behind her ear.

"I didn't see you at lunch," R.J. said. "I was hoping we could talk."

"I wasn't very hungry," she said, staring at the floor nervously.

"Has your day been as great as mine?" R.J. asked. "Because it couldn't get any worse if it tried."

She managed a small smile. "It was pretty bad," she agreed.

"You know what the best part of it was?" he asked looking at her.

"There was a best part?" Alexa's eyebrow was arched.

He nodded. "Aside from waking up with you this morning, the best part is seeing you right now."

"So you're really not mad?" she asked, twisting her hands together.

"I am mad," he said softly. "But not at you."

"I'm not angry either," she said softly.

He smiled and gave her a kiss. "I'm sorry for getting you into trouble."

Alexa hugged him tightly. "As long as we're okay, then I don't care."

R.J. held her, kissing the top of her head. "Your parents don't completely hate me now do they?"

"Nah," Alexa buried her face in his shirt. "I mean, my dad might be a bit scary next time he sees you, but you're a brave Gryffindor."

R.J. laughed. "I guess our sleepovers are over for now. Maybe it'll be good practise for next year when you're here and I'm wherever I'll be."

"I guess," Alexa replied. "We'll have to make up for all that lost snogging time though won't we?" she smiled at him.

"No one said the common room was off limits for snogging," R.J. said mischievously.

"Or any of these hidden little rooms around the castle," Alexa replied.

"We'll just have to be creative," R.J. said kissing her again.

Alexa already felt completely back to normal as she and R.J. kissed. "I don't care what anyone says," she closed her eyes as he leaned against her. "I love you R.J.."

"I love you too," he whispered. "So much, Lexie. So very much."

"I never get tired of hearing that you know," Alexa smiled, ignoring the looks that a few students passing by them into the portrait hole were shooting their way.

"I've never felt this way about anyone before," he said.

"I'm just so glad it's me," Alexa said with an impish smile.

"Who else would it be?" he asked tickling her side. "McGonagall?"

"You'd never be able to sleep in the same bed as her," Alexa teased, laughing at the look on his face.

"Ewww, Lex," R.J. said grimacing. "Please don't give me that image!"

Alexa was still giggling as she kissed him again.

A few first-years passed by giggling and blushing as they made their way through the portrait hole.

"You think they'd never seen two people snog before," R.J. said shaking his head.

"I think it's that plus all the rumours that have been running rampant around the school all day," Alexa replied.

"Those rumours about how you can't keep your hands off of me?" he asked cheekily. "I had heard those and I am proud to say that they are completely true."

She laughed again. "I didn't deny those at all."

"I'm going to keep trying to work on McGonagall," R.J. said. "I'm hoping my charm and polite behaviour will make her change her mind about me playing next weekend."

"Maybe if you're really good and don't get any more detentions or anything she'll let you play," Alexa said, running her fingers through his hair.

R.J. looked sheepishly at his girlfriend. "Well, that might not be so easy actually...I sort of have a detention tonight."

"For what?" Alexa asked. "Our detentions with McGonagall aren't starting until tomorrow."

"I sort of mouthed off to Snape during Potions," R.J. said quietly. "He deserved it though Lex."

Alexa shook her head. "He's such a git. He probably goaded you into it."

"He's such an arse, Lex," R.J. said. "Before class started that git McDonald makes some rude comment about you and I told him off and Snape docks points from me, but not from him."

"It's so pathetic how he favours his own house," Alexa agreed. "Just don't let him get to you tonight okay?"

"I'll keep thinking of you and I'll tune everything else out," he promised.

Alexa smiled at him and gave him another kiss. "And if you're good, I'll reward you before we go to bed tonight."

R.J. grinned. "In that case, I'm going to be on my best behaviour. I'll even be nice to old Snivellus."

Alexa laughed as he helped her into the portrait hole. "Just remember, the greasy git is probably jealous of you."

"I'm sure that's it," R.J. said laughing. "Maybe it has something to do with who my father is, who my godfather is and the fact that I'm in Gryffindor."

"That too," Alexa squeezed his hand as they joined Saffron and Andrew at one of the tables.

"Andrew just filled me in on what happened," Saffron said. "Good comeback, R.J.! Wish I could have seen it!"

"It was pretty classic if I do say so myself," R.J. leaned back in his chair.

"Why was Jason being such an arse about the whole thing?" Saffron asked.

"Probably because he couldn't get a girl to sneak in his room for all the money in Gringotts," Andrew said dryly.

"With an attitude like his lately, that's for bloody sure," Saffron snorted.

Andrew laughed and looked admiringly at Saffron. He'd always thought she was a cute girl. "Hey Saf? Are you doing anything after classes tomorrow afternoon?"

"What?" Saffron asked. "Yeah kind of... I made plans with my boyfriend Peter, but we probably won't do anything special."

"You're seeing someone then?" Andrew asked. "I didn't know..."

Saffron blushed as R.J. grinned at them both. "Yeah, Pete and I sort of hooked up at the beginning of the year," she answered.

"I was just wondering if perhaps you'd fancy playing a pickup match tomorrow," Andrew said grinning at her. "I need all the help I can get, you know."

"Oh please, you're just fishing for compliments," Saffron said, secretly pleased at the attention. "Maybe in the later afternoon or evening, once these two have to go to detention?"

"I'd like that," Andrew said nodding. "How about I meet you on the pitch around six?"

"That should be fine," Saffron nodded. "What exactly do you need help with?"

"Snogging," R.J. said before Andrew could answer.

"Keep it up Detention Boy," Andrew said glaring at him. "For your information, I thought since Saffy and I will actually be playing in the match next weekend that we could help each other out. It's for the good of the team really."

"Good idea," Saffron nodded. "Maybe later in the week we'll bring out what's his name- the reserve keeper."

"He doesn't have to be there," Andrew said slyly. "You know what they say, three's a crowd..."

Saffron shook her head. "Nice try Kirke."

"Can't blame a bloke for trying," Andrew said. "Well, I'll catch up with you lot at dinner. And Saffy, don't stand me up tomorrow..."

"For Quidditch?" Saffron asked. "Never."

Andrew grinned at her before disappearing up the stairs.

"Somebody fancies Saffy," Alexa teased.

"Oh please," Saffron said, her face turning red.

"He was telling me the other day he had his eye on someone," R.J. said. "But he didn't tell me who it was. Now I know why..."

"He's never said anything before," Saffron replied.

"You should go out with him," R.J. said putting his arm around Alexa. "He's a good bloke, Saffy."

"Hello," Saffron replied. "I'm already going out with someone!"

"Peter?" R.J. asked.

Alexa looked at her boyfriend. "Who else has she been seeing since the start of term?"

"I didn't know it was serious," R.J. said defensively. "Believe it or not, my life doesn't centre around Saffy's love life."

"It should," Saffron quipped. "You'd probably keep yourself out of detention."

"She's got you there R.J.," Alexa said laughing.

R.J. tossed a pillow at Saffron. "I'm starving."

"Let's go eat," Saffron said throwing it back at him.

"You can even sit beside Andrew if you want," R.J. teased. "Andrew and Saffron Kirke...it has a nice ring to it."

Alexa elbowed his side. "Remember, Saffron can hex you here."

"Right," R.J. said nodding. "Good point. Let's go eat then."

Saffron shared a grin with her best friend. "Everything okay?" she whispered as R.J. walked ahead of them.

Alexa nodded. "Everything's perfect, Saffy. I worried over nothing."

"Good," Saffron replied. "I told you it would be okay."

"What about you and Andrew?" Alexa asked. "I had no idea he fancied you."

"I didn't either," Saffron replied. "It really just came out of nowhere. And I would have said yes, but things are going so well between me and Peter..."

"There's nothing that says you can't be friends with Andrew," Alexa said.

"Of course not," Saffron said. "He's a nice bloke."

"Who's a nice bloke?" Andrew asked coming up behind them putting his arm around Saffron. "Me?"

"You wish," Saffron smirked at him.

"Hey Saffy?" Andrew asked. "You ever wanted to fly inside the castle?"

"You can't fly in the castle," Saffron said rolling her eyes.

"Yes you can," he said picking her up.

"Andrew!" she screamed, laughing.

Andrew chuckled as he sped up. "Light as a feather, Potter. Here we go...coming in for a landing in the Great Hall...all systems go...."

"You're such a goof!" she said, still giggling as he set her down just outside the doors. "Honestly!"

He pulled on one of her plaits. "A likeable goof though, right?"

Peter had been waiting for Saffron just outside the Great Hall and he'd seen the older boy carrying her.

"I guess a little likeable," Saffron said, straightening her robes.

"You can do better than that," Andrew said reaching for her again.

"Oh no," Saffron backed away. "You're not 'flying' me into the Great Hall!" she didn't notice Peter approaching her from behind.

"Alright mate?" Andrew asked, not knowing who this bloke staring at them was.

"Saffron," Peter said quietly.

"Pete!" Saffron said. "Hey I didn't know you were waiting out here." she smiled at him.

"Obviously," Peter said glaring at Andrew.

"Pete," R.J. said. "You’ve met my best friend Andrew before right?"

"Nice to see you again mate," Andrew said amiably.

Peter just stared at him.

"We were just fooling around with Saffy," R.J. said.

"I helped her fly in the castle," Andrew said chuckling. "She thought I couldn't do it."

"It was quite amusing," Saffron jabbed his side. "What's up Peter?" she asked, moving closer to him.

"I thought you might want to eat dinner together, but you're obviously busy," he said icily.

"Not at all," Saffron said, linking their fingers together.

Peter relaxed somewhat.

"I'm starving," R.J. said taking Alexa's hand. "We'll save you a seat Saffy."

"We'll be in there in just a few minutes," Saffron said.

"Nice meeting you mate," Andrew said to Peter before following R.J. and Alexa into the Great Hall.

"Everything okay?" Saffron asked.

"Who was that guy?" Peter asked.

"He's just a friend," Saffron replied dismissively. "He's on the Quidditch team with me and R.J.."

"Doesn't seem as if he wants to be just your friend," Peter said quietly sticking his hands in his pockets.

"Doesn't matter," Saffron said, winding her arms around his middle.

Peter felt his anger and jealousy melting away. She was out here with him after all. "Good answer," he said giving her a kiss.

"Mmm..." she said. "That's more like it."

"What would you say to eating dinner at the Ravenclaw table?" he asked.

"I suppose I could manage," she smiled at him. "But tomorrow night you can eat with me and the Gryffindors."

"Deal," Peter said smiling at her.

82. Ch 82

Authors' note: This chapter brings another flashback----for Harry and Hermione. You will also get to see some of the original characters' children when they were younger (especially Josh who was in the midst of his crush on Julie). And the Hogwarts crew are back for more drama that takes place on the Quidditch pitch. Enjoy!

That month marked Hermione's 15th anniversary as the Minister for Magic, and she was currently giving an interview to a reporter who was running a weeklong feature on her.

"I guess what I'm most proud of is the fact that I've been able to fulfil all my campaign promises I made." Hermione said pensively. "And it's not always been easy, but I've managed to make time for my family, which is my top priority no matter what."

"Your children have had to grow up in a bit of a fishbowl being the children of The Boy Who Lived," the reporter said. "And then they had to deal with being the children of the Minister for Magic. They all seem to be well-adjusted and normal. How did you do it?"

"I'm really not sure," Hermione confessed with a laugh. "Our youngest, Saffron, is still in school. Ethan's an Auror and Julie is now teaching at Hogwarts. I guess Harry and I just tried to instil the best teachings we could about keeping a level head- although we always haven't- and we tried to teach them to be humble despite the fact that Harry and I were able to provide well for all three of them."

"Fifteen years ago, you took office," the reporter said. "Do you remember that night?"

"Quite well," Hermione nodded. "I was very nervous, being at the Inauguration Ball, but I was happy to have my family and friends with me..."

***

"Ethan!" Julie called out after her little brother. "Come on! I have to help get you ready for mum's party! Come back here you little monster!"

"You have to catch me!" Ethan laughed mischievously.

"Mum!" Julie yelled out. "He won't keep still!"

"Ethan James," Harry said, pulling his black dress robes on over his shirt and trousers. "You let your sister help you get ready right now."

"I don't want to go Dad!" Ethan said running past his father. "I want to stay here!"

"This is your mother's big night," Harry said, catching his son and giving him a stern look.

"Mummy's going to be the Big Dog," Ethan said squirming. "Uncle Ron said she was going to be large and in charge."

Harry was unable to keep from grinning. "He called your mum a big dog?"

Ethan nodded. "Just like she is at home."

"Always remember that the woman is in charge," Harry said. "And right now that's your sister. So let her help you get dressed."

Julie took her brother from her father. "And let's be quick about it Little Man. I still have to get ready too."

"Fine," Ethan grumbled. "I hate wearing dress robes."

"Thanks Jules," Harry said to his daughter.

"No problem Dad," Julie said smiling at him. "How's Mum doing?"

"She's pretty nervous," Harry replied. "That's why I want your brother to get himself ready so she's not stressed out any more."

"Wait until you see her in her ball gown," Julie said. "It's amazing, Dad. Aunt Lavender did such a great job."

"That's about the one good thing your aunt does," Harry quipped.

"That and getting married," Julie said laughing. "Do you think she's ever going to settle down, Dad?"

Harry snorted. "Probably not."

"JULIE!" Ethan bellowed from his room. "HELP!"

"Duty calls," Julie said. "Coming Ethan!"

In the bedroom, Hermione slid into her periwinkle blue ball gown. "Harry! I need some help..."

"What is it?" Harry asked, knocking before poking his head in the door.

"Could you help zip me up?" she asked looking over her shoulder at him. "Please?"

"Long as you promise me I can take you out of this dress later," Harry replied, eyeing her up and down lustily.

"You don't even have to ask," she said huskily. Her breath caught in her throat as Harry slowly zipped up her dress. "You can't mess up my hair, Harry. Lavender would murder you."

"I won't," Harry pressed a kiss to the back of her neck.

"I still can't believe this is happening," Hermione said softly. "It's real, isn't it? I'm not dreaming?"

"Shall I pinch you?" Harry asked mischievously. "My wife, the Minister for Magic..."

Hermione smiled. "The only bad thing is having to sell this place. It's been our home for so long."

"I know," Harry looked around their bedroom. "But look at the place we'll be moving into. It's incredible."

"But it's so cold and dark," Hermione said. "And huge. We'll need a map to get around the place."

"We'll get used to it," Harry assured her as she put on some jewellery. "And in no time it'll be just as much a home as this place."

"Try telling Julie that," Hermione said. "She's still upset about moving."

"Jules is a big girl," Harry replied. "I'm sure soon enough she'll be looking for her own place."

"I don't like to think about that," Hermione said. "To me she's that same little girl who used to love to help you make pasketti."

Harry laughed. "Too bad she didn't inherit your cooking skills."

"Too bad," Hermione said turning around and getting her first proper look at her husband. "Harry..."

"What?" he asked, trying to smooth down his wayward hair.

She walked over to him. "You look absolutely dashing. I think I might swoon."

He grinned at her. "Shall I catch you?"

"I think you might have to," she said touching his cheek.

"Oi! Potters!" Ron's voice called out from downstairs. "The Weasleys are here!"

"Thanks for knocking as always Ron!" Harry shouted back.

"You're quite welcome," Ron said.

Drew, Darla and Jon and Josh both sat down in the sitting room.

"We're actually on time for once," Luna said with a laugh. "How did we manage that?"

"Probably because Mum's watching Maddie and R.J.," Ron said, referring to their newborn and two year old.

"I wish we could have stayed home," Jon said pulling at his dress robes.

"Not me," Drew said standing up and doing a twirl. "I'm ready to dance. Right, Daddy?"

"That's right baby," Ron agreed. "And I'm ready to eat!"

"You're always ready to eat Uncle Ron," Ethan said as he appeared in the doorway.

"Hey Little Man," Ron said.

"You look so handsome," Luna said grinning at her godson.

"He should," Julie said coming downstairs dressed in a green ball gown. Her hair was done up in an elegant bun with tendrils framing her face. "I practically had to sit on him to get him dressed."

"Julie," Luna beamed. "You look beautiful."

Josh swallowed the lump in his throat as Julie smiled and hugged his mother. "You really do look gorgeous Julie," he stammered, ignoring the smirk his twin was sending his way.

"Thanks Josh," Julie said beaming at him. "You look very handsome."

Josh blushed. "Thanks," he mumbled, looking down at his feet.

"You're going to dance with me tonight, right?" Julie asked.

"You want to dance with me?" Josh's eyes were wide.

"And me too right?" Jon teased her.

Julie laughed. "If you promise not to step on my feet Jon, I bet I could fit you in for one dance. But Josh is going to keep me company while Tosh and Chi are off in the corner making eyes at each other."

"They are so sweet," Luna replied. "Are your parents ready?"

"Nearly," Julie said. The doorbell chimed and Julie grinned. "That's probably the Longbottoms. Be right back."

"Joshie if you were any redder-" Jon began gleefully when Ron interrupted him.

"Jon shut it," Ron said. "Remember, you two promised to be nice tonight?"

"Yeah, once we got to the ball," Jon pulled at the neck of his robes.

"Chi!" Julie squealed swinging open the front door. "You look amazing!"

"So do you Jules!" Chiaki said. She'd chosen to wear a simple black ball gown that evening and her mother had lent her some diamond earrings that offset her glossy black hair.

Frankie pushed past her older sister with a scowl on her face.

"What's wrong with her?" Julie asked.

Allison rolled her eyes. "Everything's unfair as usual."

"Look at little Allie Longbottom," Julie said smiling at the younger girl. She was wearing a pale pink ball gown and her hair was styled in ringlets.

"I'm not that little," Allison said with a smile, knowing Julie was teasing her.

"All three of my girls are growing up too fast," Neville said.

"Dad!" Chiaki said poking him in the side.

"Where's Tosh?" Julie asked her best friend.

"Meeting us later," Chiaki said. "I cannot wait for him to see me."

Cho followed Julie and her daughters into the sitting room.

"Hi Al," Jon said shyly straightening up when he saw her walk in.

"Hi Jon," Allison said. "Hi Josh. You look really nice tonight."

"Thanks Allie," Josh said smiling at her. "So do you."

"No one's said anything about me!" Frankie said grumpily. "I didn't want to wear purple dress robes but Mum made me and I really wanted to wear black like Chiaki..."

"Your purple robes are fine Frankie," Cho told her.

"I wanted to wear a gown!" Frankie said huffily.

"You said you wanted to wear robes," Allison pointed out.

"I changed my mind!" Frankie snapped back.

Cho sighed. "Come on then. We'll take you upstairs and see if I can change it for you."

"You can use my room Aunt Cho," Julie offered.

"No," Neville said. "Francesca, you wanted to wear purple robes this evening so that's what you're going to wear!"

"But I didn't know everyone else was wearing gowns!" Frankie protested. "Please Daddy!"

"And here goes the Drama Queen," Allison whispered to Josh and Jon.

Cho put a hand on her husband's arm. "I can change it," she said quietly to him. "Come on- I don't want her pouting tonight. It's such an important night for Hermione."

"Right," Neville said. He levelled his gaze at his youngest daughter. "Francesca, there will be no more complaining or whining tonight, understood?"

"Okay Daddy," Frankie said, sugary sweet now that she was getting her way.

"Your grandparents are coming, aren't they?" Ron asked Julie.

Julie nodded. "Gran and Grandpa wouldn't miss this for the world. They're going to meet us at the ball. Aunt Lav's bringing them."

"I bet they're really proud of your mum," Luna said, sitting between her sons.

"We all are," Julie said with a smile. "I just...I hate the idea of moving. This is home."

"That's how we felt about moving to Ireland," Jon said.

"Everyone was very cross with me," Ron said. "The only one who spoke to me was Maddie and she just said 'Ga'."

"We survived," Luna said,. "And Ireland is very nice."

"And Dad said we could visit all the time," Josh said with a meaningful look at Julie.

"That's great," Julie smiled back at him. "We'll always be glad to have you. In the new place we have tons of room."

Jon rolled his eyes and picked up three of Ethan's small footballs which were on the floor.

"Hey Al?" he asked. "Did you know I could juggle?"

"You can?" Allison asked, breaking her gaze away from Josh.

Jon nodded and threw two of the balls up in the air expertly catching them while holding onto the third. When he saw Allison look away, he moved closer. Unfortunately, one of the balls slipped out of his hand and hit her on the cheek.

"Oh!" Allison said startled.

"I'm sorry!" Jon said, dropping all three of the balls. "Al I didn't mean that to happen, really."

"It's okay," Allison said. "You just took me by surprise is all..."

"It's not red or anything," Jon said, inspecting her cheek closely. "I'm really, really sorry."

"It's okay Jon," she said touching his arm. "I think I'll live."

"Okay," he said, stuffing his hands in his pockets.

"You need practise brother," Josh teased. "Lots and lots of practise."

"At least I can do it," Jon muttered. "Hey Joshie, got any poems to read tonight?"

"Poems?" Julie asked. "I didn't know you wrote poetry Josh.”

"I don't," Josh said glaring at his brother.

"Sure he does Jules," Jon said, grinning wickedly. "In fact, most of them are about y--"

"Yoghurt," Josh said hitting his brother in the arm. "Yoghurt. I just can't get enough of the stuff."

Julie gave them both a strange look. "If you say so..."

"Hermione!" Cho exclaimed when she saw her friend descending the staircase with Harry.

"That's Minister Potter to you," Harry corrected.

"Oh stop it Harry," Hermione said, giving Cho a hug. "I'm so glad you all are coming tonight."

"We wouldn't miss you becoming the Top Dog," Ron said. "The Head Honcho. The Woman."

"Top Dog?" Hermione asked raising an eyebrow at him.

Harry started to laugh so hard he choked.

"Top Dog is a good thing," Ron said hastily.

Hermione shook her head. "Lav's meeting us at the ball with my parents." she said.

"I'm ready to see Grandpa!" Ethan said running at his father. "Let's go, Dad."

"All right little man," Harry chuckled.

"Our best friend Minister for Magic," Luna said. "I can't believe it!"

Hermione smiled. "I'm still getting used to the idea myself."

"I've always wondered," Cho teased. "What do they call the spouse of the Minister? Is there an official title?"

"Mr. Minister?" Harry joked, helping Hermione on with her cloak.

"That doesn't sound good at all," Ron said shaking his head.

"Better than being a bottomless pit," Neville said with a grin.

"Very funny Longbottom," Ron said sarcastically.

"Let's get going," Luna said. "Hermione you have to be there early right?"

Hermione nodded. "I really do appreciate you all coming for support. It means so much to me."

"We'd do anything for you," Luna hugged her. "We're all so proud."

"Thanks Luna," Hermione said trying not to cry.

"Come on Mum," Julie smiled at her. "Don't cry or you'll have to face Aunt Lav's wrath."

"Right," Hermione said smiling back at her. "Julie, you look stunning."

"Thanks Mum," Julie replied.

The Ministry had given them portkeys so they'd arrive at the Ministry's large ballroom. The Weasleys and Longbottoms went first leaving Hermione alone with her family. For the first time that evening, Hermione truly felt nervous. This was the moment she'd been waiting her entire life for and it was finally here.

"You look really pretty Mummy," Ethan said smiling up at her.

"Thank you sweetheart," the expression of awe on her young son's face made her feel a little more at ease. "Are you going to dance with me tonight?"

Ethan nodded. "I love you Mummy."

"I love you too," Hermione hugged him to her. "And you look so handsome tonight Ethan. Just as handsome as your daddy."

"I think he might be cuter," Harry said mussing Ethan's hair.

"Come on," Hermione said with a laugh. "We should get going."

"Put your hand on the book little man," Julie said. "Come on."

Ethan had only travelled by portkey once before and he tentatively touched his palm to the large tome. "Hold my hand Julie?"

"Sure thing," Julie said smiling at him. "You can even close your eyes if you want."

Ethan nodded nervously and did just that.

The portkey activated and Julie held on tight to her brother's hand.

Everyone was pulled through and a moment later found themselves in an elegantly decorated ballroom.

Julie chuckled. "You can let go of my hand little man, we're here."

"Wow," Ethan's eyes were huge as he looked around and let go of his sister's hand. "Mummy is this all for you?"

"This is all for me," Hermione said nodding. "I had no idea they were going to go to this much trouble."

"There's going to be loads of people from all over the world here," Julie told her brother.

"Really?" Ethan asked excitedly. "This is so cool!"

Samuel Baker, Hermione's new assistant, hurried over to her. After exchanging hellos with Ethan, Julie and Harry, Samuel led Hermione away for last minute preparations.

"Okay," Ron said coming over to Harry. "Some snot nosed waiter just threatened to kick me out if I tried to get something from the kitchens. All I wanted was one little bite of shrimp. Is that so wrong? And it's not like they don't have enough!"

Harry laughed at his friend. "Can't you control your stomach for more than two seconds?"

"One shrimp Harry," Ron said holding up a finger to illustrate his point. "One."

Harry shook his head and beckoned to a pretty waitress. "Hi there," he gave her an appealing grin. "Would you be able to sneak us out some of that shrimp that you've got in the kitchens? I'm sure my wife, the new Minister, would appreciate it."

The girl blushed. "I'll see what I can do," she promised in a slightly flirtatious tone.

Ron rolled his eyes. "I could have done that, you know."

"No you couldn't have," Harry replied. "You don't have the Potter charm."

"Potter charm?" Ron asked. "I'll show you charm..."

He flagged down another waitress. "Sweetheart, would you mind getting me a glass of champagne? I'm really thirsty and I think you're just the woman..."

"Bar's over there," she replied, pointing across the room.

Ron frowned. "I'm a close personal friend of the new Minister. Are you sure you couldn't go and grab me a glass? I'd be forever in your debt, love."

The woman snorted and walked away without another word.

"Shut up Harry," Ron warned his friend.

"I wasn't going to say anything," Harry said stifling a laugh. "Honest."

"Sure you weren't," Ron muttered.

"Daddy's just crabby because he didn't eat anything yet," Drew reported.

"Crabby?" Ron asked tickling her. "I'll show you crabby..."

"Daddy!" Drew squealed darting behind her mother.

"Ronald," Luna chastised him. "Not here."

"Okay," Ron said. "But there's no one here but us right now, Loony. I'm not going to embarrass anyone."

"Just don't do that dance you do where you look like a chicken," Jon said to his father. "That looks really lame."

Josh laughed at his father's expression. "Jon's not much better," he told Julie.

"I don't dance," Jon said folding his arms. "But Josh has been practising for months by himself just for tonight."

"Oh?" Julie asked grinning at Josh. "You have your eye on someone?"

"Does he have his eye on someone?" Jon chortled.

"Come on Weasley," Julie said nudging Josh. "Don't hold out on me. Who's the girl?"

Allison perked up at this and stepped discreetly closer to hear Josh's answer.

"No one," Josh mumbled, clearly uncomfortable with all the attention he was getting. "I just wanted to make sure I knew how to handle myself on the dance floor."

"I'll help you anyway I can," Julie promised.

Josh turned red all the way to the tips of his ears. "Okay," he said, brightening.

Jon walked over to where Frankie and Allison were standing. "I can't believe Julie doesn't see it."

Allison looked away, wishing that Josh would come to his senses. "I guess not," she said softly.

"Why don't you dance Jon?" Frankie asked.

"Because I'm not very good at it," Jon replied. "If I really fancied a girl, I'd probably ruin my chances by stepping all over her poor feet."

Allison was so busy staring at Josh and Julie she failed to notice Jon's meaningful glance her way. "I'm going to get something to drink," she said. "Frankie tell Mum and Dad I'll be right back okay?"

Frankie nodded and gave Jon a slight smile.

"I'm no better than Josh," he mumbled.

"Why?" Frankie asked, her gaze momentarily snared by some wizards only a few years older than her.

"Chasing after something that's probably never going to happen," Jon said looking at Allison as she crossed the room.

"And so after they introduce you and swear you in as the Minister, you'll give your speech," Samuel said to Hermione, whose hands had gone completely clammy.

Hermione nodded absently. "How many people did you say were going to be here tonight?"

"I'd say somewhere in the thousands," Samuel replied, unaware of his superior's sudden ashen expression.

"When you say thousands," Hermione said shakily. "You're exaggerating right?"

"Everyone is most eager to see you," Samuel said. "You're the first woman Minister we've ever had."

Hermione nodded. "Added pressure..."

"You'll do fine," Samuel assured her. "You've already passed the hardest part- which is winning the election."

"Right," Hermione said.

"I'm going to go and welcome some of the delegates from Brazil and Argentina," Samuel said looking at his watch. "Their portkey was scheduled to activate in about five minutes. Will you be okay Minister?"

"If you see my husband will you send him over to me?" Hermione asked.

Samuel promised he would and Hermione began pacing back and forth picturing in her mind every single worst case scenario imaginable. And not just with the Inauguration Ball, but with everything that followed after.

"Hey," Harry had come up behind her. "Samuel said you wanted me?"

"I think I'm going to be sick," Hermione said turning around to face him. "I'm sweaty and my hands are all clammy. I feel like any minute I'm going to throw up. I don't think I thought all this through, Harry. I'm..."

"Hermione," Harry cupped her face in his hands. "You're going to be fine sweetheart."

"Easy for you to say," she said looking away.

"Hey," Harry held her chin and forced her to look back at him. "Would I lie to you?"

She shook her head. "No, but you're supposed to say that. You're my husband."

"I bet I know what will make you feel better," Harry said after a few moments of silence passed between them.

"You're going to take me home?" she asked hopefully.

He chuckled "No."

"What then?" she asked softly.

"Will you dance with me?" he asked, holding his hand out.

"Here?" Hermione asked.

"Sure," Harry replied. "Why not?"

"There's so much to do and we..." she argued, but her voice trailed off as her husband gave her his famous puppy dog eyes. She'd never been able to resist that. "Okay, I suppose one dance now couldn't hurt."

"You know it'll relax you," Harry murmured in her ear as he pulled her close. "You're going to be fine tonight Hermione. Ethan, Jules and I will be right there in the front watching you."

"I couldn't have done this without all of you," she said resting her head on his shoulder.

"Sure you could have," Harry said, rubbing her back through her gown. "Hermione, you're smart, successful, gorgeous and headstrong. You've worked hard for this and now it's paid off. You're the most powerful witch in Britain."

Hermione smiled up at him. "I love you."

Harry kissed her lightly. "Love you too," he grinned back.

"You relaxed me as promised," she said looping her arms around his neck.

"Don't I always?" he teased, dipping her back gently.

"Yes," she said laughing.

"Minister Potter," Lavender said from behind them. She was joined by Robert and Elinore who beamed at their daughter.

"I'm so glad you're all here!" Hermione said giving them each a hug.

"As if we'd miss your big night," Lavender said smiling brightly at her.

"Harry's just helping me soothe a rather nasty case of butterflies," Hermione hugged her parents tightly. "Mum, Dad, I'm so glad you both are here."

"We're so proud of you Hermione Jane," Elinore said. "And you look beautiful. Doesn't she, Robert?"

"She always does," Robert kissed his daughter's cheek. "Congratulations sweetheart."

"Thanks Daddy," Hermione said trying hard not to cry.

"Who's the lucky bloke tonight?" Harry teased Lavender. "Do we need to warn him?"

"Sod off Potter," Lavender frowned at him. "I came with a friend, that's all. One of my models."

"Poor bloke," Harry said pulling a face. "I'm not sure he knows what he's getting into. Didn't Husbands number one and two start out as just friends as well?"

"Harry," Hermione gave him a sharp jab. "Please stop."

"It's okay Hermione," Lavender said. "I can take it. I'm so happy for you tonight that I can put up with his little comments."

Thankfully, Ethan had spotted his grandparents and came running full speed toward them.

"Grandpa!" Ethan exclaimed.

"Who is that handsome young man?" Elinore asked. "Certainly not my grandson."

"Grandma it's me!" Ethan said. "Ethan!"

Elinore laughed. "I know. I was just teasing. You look very handsome Ethan James."

"Thanks Grandma," Ethan tugged at his collar. "This thing itches."

"Don't you dare mess it up," Julie said coming over to join them. "You guys wouldn't believe what I had to go through to get him dressed."

"Julie," Robert said kissing her cheek. "You look beautiful love."

"Thank you Grandpa," Julie hugged him. "I hope you'll dance with me later."

"If some other bloke doesn't beat me to it," Robert replied.

"I'll always have time to dance with you," Julie smiled at him.

By this time, the ballroom was becoming quite crowded and Samuel returned to retrieve Hermione.

"Don't go Mummy," Ethan said grabbing her hand.

"I have to sweetheart," Hermione said. "But you, Daddy and Jules will be right there in front of me while I give my speech."

"You'll come back when it's over?" Ethan asked.

"I'll be right back when it's over," Hermione smiled at him.

"Good luck Mum," Julie said smiling reassuringly at her. "Make us proud!"

"Thank you," Hermione hugged her daughter. "I'll see you all out there."

"Good luck Mummy!" Ethan called after her waving enthusiastically.

"Let's go and get our seats," Harry told the others.

Ethan slipped his hand back into his sister's as they sat down. "I hope Mummy is okay up there." he said. "She looked really scared."

"She'll be fine," Julie reassured him. "Mum's the best. Right?"

"Right," Ethan nodded.

They all watched as the outgoing Minister was introduced. He made some remarks about his own administration and its accomplishments. Ethan was getting antsy, but tried to keep still and quiet because he knew it was important to his mother.

"And I'd like to introduce you to my successor," the minister said. "This woman has interned under me and there is no one else I feel I could leave you all in the hands of and not worry." he smiled as some of the audience members chuckled. "Please welcome our new Minister for Magic, Hermione Potter."

Everyone stood and applauded as Hermione took the stage. Her eyes found Harry, Julie and Ethan immediately and she felt bolstered just looking at them.

"First of all I'd like to thank everyone for being here tonight," she began. "Becoming Minister for Magic has been a dream of mine for many years and it's due to the support of my family and friends that I stand here in front of you this evening to give this speech."

Julie turned to look at her father. His eyes were trained on her mother's. She hoped someday that someone would look at her that way. Ethan, surprisingly, was sitting stock still hanging on his mother's every word.

"I promise, during my time as Minister, to fulfil every campaign promise I made," Hermione continued. "Being honest and respectful is very important to me, and I intend on making sure that everyone magical knows that."

"When I entered the Wizarding World as a young girl, I faced many obstacles," Hermione said. "Not only because I was a woman, but because I was Muggle-born."

"Damn she's good," Ron whispered in admiration to Harry. "Did she rehearse this?"

"Every night for about two months actually," Harry whispered back. "She was actually worried it wasn't any good."

"Daddy what's obstacles?" Ethan asked quietly as his mother continued her speech.

"Something that stands in your way," Harry explained softly. "Something that could stop you from doing something or having something you want."

"Do I have obstacles?" Ethan asked.

Harry chuckled. "Well, do you remember how you didn't want to wear dress robes tonight?"

"Oh," Ethan's eyes cleared. "So my dress robes are an obstacle in the way of wearing regular clothes?"

Harry patted Ethan's knee. "That's right, son. Let's listen to your Mummy's speech, okay?"

"Okay Daddy," Ethan straightened up. "Sorry."

"It's okay," Harry said returning his attention to Hermione.

"I don't expect this to be an easy job," Hermione said looking out onto the crowd. "There is a lot of work ahead of us. First and foremost, I want to issue reforms that will give house elves more rights..."

Samuel nodded- he was also a big supporter of the rights of house elves and he was pleased that the new Minister also seemed to take that seriously.

"For far too long, they have had to endure demeaning, strenuous work without any pay or gratitude," Hermione continued.

"I will be taking questions tonight about this issue should anyone want to approach me about it," Hermione began to wrap up her speech. "And I'll be available all evening to meet everyone as well. I hope to make my run a successful one and continue to make things work as smoothly as Minister Draven has."

"She looks a lot better than he does at any rate," Ron joked to Harry.

Harry elbowed Ron sharply in the side.

"She does," Ron whispered. "I doubt he could pull off a ball gown."

"Again," Hermione smiled. "Thank you for believing that I can do the best job as your Minister for Magic."

Everyone stood and applauded as Minister Draven shook Hermione's hand. Julie reached out for Ethan's hand, but her little brother was already sprinting toward the stage. He figured that since his mother's speech was over, he could go and give her a hug.

"Ethan!" Julie called out but Ethan either didn't hear or didn't care.

"Mummy!" he called out excitedly. "Mummy you did really good!"

Hermione smiled as her son launched himself at her. Samuel stood up to head him off, but Hermione shook her head.

"Thanks little man," she said scooping him up. "I was looking at you the whole time."

"I could see!" Ethan hugged her. "You didn't make one mistake!"

"And you were such a good boy," Hermione said kissing his cheek.

Julie and Harry joined them on stage.

"I tried to stop him Mum," Julie apologised.

"It's okay," Hermione said smiling at her. "If he hadn't have come up here, I would have run down there. I was so nervous until I saw you three looking up at me."

"You did a wonderful job," Harry gave his wife a kiss. "Congratulations love."

"Thanks," she said beaming back at him.

"Minister, there are some special guests who would like a word," Samuel interrupted.

"Of course," Hermione said, beaming at Samuel's words. "I'll join you three in a few minutes all right?"

Harry nodded and took Ethan from Hermione. "Come on little man. Let's go see if they have anything good to eat."

"I want some chocolate Dad," Ethan said as Harry led him away.

"Hey Julie," Josh said nervously. "They um... they started dancing out there."

Julie grinned. "I can see that. You want to show me how good you are?"

"If you really want to," Josh said in relief- he thought Julie would really laugh in his face. "I'm not too bad and I promise not to step on your toes."

"I want to find out about this girl you've got your eye on," Julie said leading him out onto the floor. "Jon's not around to take the Mickey. You can tell me, Josh. Who is this dream girl of yours?"

"It's no one you know Julie," Josh said, blushing again. "Really... Jon's just being a jerk."

They found an empty spot on the floor and Julie laughed as Josh looked at her as if he didn't know what to do. She took his hands and placed them on her waist. "That seems like a good place to start, eh Josh?" she asked teasingly.

"Sure," Josh stammered.

From his spot by the bar, Jon watched his brother and Julie dance. He'd wait until later to give him a hard time about it. Right now, he was trying to work up his own courage to ask Allison to dance. She was sitting with her sisters and Toshio and looking quite sad.

"Do you want to dance, Allie?" Jon practised under his breath. "Allie, care to dance?"

"Jon?" Drew asked tugging at her brother's leg. "Who are you talking to?"

"No one Drew," Jon frowned at his younger sister. "Why don't you go bug Dad?"

"He's dancing with Darla," Drew said. "Why were you talking to yourself?"

"Because I was," Jon replied. "Say, do you know where Allie went?"

"She was sitting with Chiaki and Frankie," Drew said pointing over to them. "But Chiaki's dancing with Toshio now. Are you going to dance too?"

"I'm going to try," Jon said, leaving his little sister behind and focusing on the pretty brunette whose eyes were glued to Josh and Julie.

The entire way over to the Longbottom's table, Jon said silent prayers that she wouldn't laugh in his face and tell him to sod off.

"Hey Al," Jon's voice made Allison turn her head this way. "You uh... are you having fun?" he smiled tentatively at her.

"Not really," she said quietly.

"You aren't?" he asked. "How come?"

"She wants to dance," Frankie blurted out.

"You do?" Jon asked hopefully. "Would you want to uh... dance with me?"

"I thought you didn't dance," Allison asked.

"Josh says he's a terrible dancer," Frankie reported. "He told me that he's much better."

"Frankie," Allison gave her sister a dirty look. "Shut up."

"Fine," Frankie said glaring at her. "I'm going to go get something to eat!" With that, Frankie slid her chair back and then stalked off.

"Come on Al," Jon said smiling at her. "We are married, you know."

Allison laughed. "I'd forgotten all about that!"

Jon put his hand to his heart and pretended to be affronted. "Kick a bloke while he's down, why don't you?"

"All right," Allison smiled at him. "I'll make it up to you by dancing with you. But I warn you, I may just trounce on your toes once or twice..."

Jon couldn't believe she'd actually agreed to a dance. He wouldn't mind if she stomped on his toes. "You're the one who should be worried."

"You haven't seen my attempt at a waltz," Allison joked, happy to keep her mind of Josh hardly noticing her all night.

"You look really, really nice tonight," Jon said nervously. "Not that you don't look good all the time, but tonight..."

"Oh thanks," Allison blushed. "Chiaki helped me get ready."

Jon smiled at her. "She did a really good job."

"You're not just saying that are you?" Allison asked uncertainly. "I'm not as pretty as my sisters are..."

Jon shook his head. "I'm not just saying that, Allie. I-I think you're very pretty."

Allison blushed even more. "Thanks Jon." she said as he spun her around a little clumsily.

"Sorry," he said turning red. "I saw my dad do that to my mum once. They made it seem easy."

"It's okay," she smiled at him. "Thanks for asking me to dance."

Across the room," Harry was finally pulling his wife onto the dance floor. "Minister," he said in her ear. "I get your first dance..."

"The Minister from Spain beat you to it," she said with a straight face. "And he has that whole dark, smouldering look going for him..."

"I'm dark and smouldering," Harry said with an injured look.

Hermione looked thoughtfully at him. "You smoulder a little, I suppose."

"A little?" Harry asked, pulling her close and dipping her back dramatically.

"Would it make you feel any better if I told you I was having naughty little thoughts about you right now?" she asked as he pulled her up. "You know what seeing you in dress robes always does to me."

"I have an inkling," Harry said, kissing her. "Have I told you how proud I am of you Hermione?"

"Yes," she said smiling at him. "But you can tell me again."

"I... am... so... proud..." he didn't care that they were being overly affectionate in such a public place.

"I don't want this night to end," she whispered.

"It doesn't have to," Harry said. "When we get home, we'll set a silencing charm on the room and lock the door..."

"What it Ethan has another nightmare?" Hermione asked. "He's slept with us every night for the past two weeks."

"I'll ask Jules to take care of him tonight." Harry said. "He's got to get over the nightmares, and not just because I want to shag you tonight. He's going to be six soon and he's too old to be sleeping with us."

"I know," Hermione said. "But..."

"Come on," Harry said softly.

"I want to be alone with you too, but what if he needs us?" Hermione asked.

"We'll still be there," Harry replied, swinging her across the floor.

"I know," she said feeling light headed as she danced with Harry. "This is reminding me of Hillsdale. That last night we were there... remember?"

"When we were finally able to be together in public?" Harry smiled.

Hermione nodded. "I remember feeling so free that night. That anything and everything I wanted was possible. I feel the same way tonight."

"I'm glad," Harry said. "We're all happy for you sweetheart."

"Thank you Harry," she said giving him a kiss.

"For what?" he asked, keeping her close.

"For being here," she replied resting her head on his chest as they danced. "For being by my side no matter what."

"That's where I'll always be," he answered, kissing the side of her head. "No matter what."

Robert and Elinore were sitting with Lavender and her date Marcus when Harry and Hermione joined them.

"Samuel brought over some congratulatory letters," Elinore said handing them to her daughter.

"Thanks Mum," Hermione said. "This has been such a wonderful night hasn't it?"

"It really has," Elinore said smiling at her. "Your father and I are so proud."

"It was really deep, you know?" Marcus asked a dazed expression on his face. Lavender shot Harry a warning look to not make any smart remarks.

"Deep as the ocean," Harry replied with a straight face.

"Totally," Marcus said nodding. He looked at Lavender. "Babe, you want anything else to drink? I'm going to make another run..."

"Another glass of champagne would be lovely," Lavender told him.

"Sure," Marcus sent her a grin and headed towards the other side of the room.

"Not one word," Lavender said before Harry could open his mouth. "Marcus is a very intelligent, thoughtful man, Harry."

"I wasn't going to say anything," Harry replied, biting his lower lip to keep it from twitching.

"Oh my," Hermione said after reading one of the letters. "This is...this is from Seamus."

"Finnigan?" Lavender asked in disbelief.

"Yeah," Hermione smiled. "He told me he'd heard about my becoming Minister and that he always knew I'd do it someday. How nice of him!"

"He has some bloody nerve!" Lavender said snatching the letter from Hermione. "After what he did to me....and he doesn't even mention me at all in this letter! What a complete and utter..."

"Why should you care?" Harry asked. "You're the one that dumped him."

"Hello?" Lavender asked sarcastically. "The wanker cheated on me!"

"Says you," Harry retorted.

"I know what I walked in on," Lavender said crumpling the letter up and throwing it down on the table. "And if he thinks he can just send a letter to my cousin, well he's completely uncouth and is every bit the scoundrel I always thought he was."

"You know, that is my letter," Hermione picked it up and smoothed it out. "I know things didn't end well between you two Lav but it was still a nice gesture on his part."

"Whatever," Lavender said standing up. "I'm going to go and find Marcus."

"Check the deep end of the ballroom," Harry cracked as she stalked away.

"You probably made things worse," Hermione said shaking her head.

"She's the one overreacting," Harry pointed out. "Seamus has every right to send you a letter Hermione."

"I didn't say he didn't," Hermione said. "But we know how tetchy she gets about Seamus."

"She's the one who broke up with him," Harry said firmly. "I believed Seamus when he said it was a big mistake."

"It doesn't matter what you or I think," Hermione said. "It's Lavender. She was really hurt, Harry."

"I know," Harry sat back. "But that was how many years ago now- a simple letter shouldn't set her off like this."

"It probably stirred up some old memories," Elinore said thoughtfully. "If you ask me, Lavender has never gotten over him."

Robert shrugged. "That's fairly obvious." he stood up. "Would the new Minister do her father the honour of dancing with him?"

Hermione beamed at him. "I'd love to Daddy."

"And how about my gorgeous mother-in-law?" Harry asked winking at Elinore. "Care to chance it?"

Elinore laughed. "You never cease the flattering do you Harry?" she joked, accepting his hand.

"Just telling the truth is all," Harry said leading her off to the dance floor.

Ethan was sitting with his Uncle Neville, Aunt Cho and Frankie. Chiaki and Toshio joined them a few moments later.

"You going to get out there Ethan?" Neville asked the little boy.

Ethan vehemently shook his head. "Just with Mummy. I don't want to dance with anyone else."

"No one else?" Cho asked.

"Not even me Ethan?" Chiaki asked with a smile.

Ethan stared at her with wide eyes. "But you're dancing with Toshio, Kiki."

"I'm sure Tosh can spare one dance so I can get out there with you," Chiaki said. "How about it Ethan? Just one?"

Ethan's cheeks turned bright red. "Well, if it's just one....okay Kiki."

"Don't get too jealous Tosh," Chiaki whispered teasingly to her boyfriend.

Toshio laughed. "I'll try."

"Won't I be too short?" Ethan asked worriedly as he and Chiaki walked out onto the dance floor.

"I don't mind if you don't Ethan," Chiaki replied, smiling down at her best friend's brother.

"I don't mind," Ethan said smiling back at her. "You're cool Kiki."

"You're pretty cool too Ethan," she said, leading them around in a gentle circle.

"Look at your son," Robert said to Hermione motioning to where Ethan and Chiaki were dancing.

"That's so sweet," Hermione smiled. "He has a little crush on her you know."

"I hadn't noticed," Robert said with a laugh. "I don't remember ever seeing him smile like that."

"She's a sweet girl to humour him like that," Hermione replied.

"She's been a really good friend to Julie," Robert said. "In fact, I'd say you have a great group of friends, Hermione. I was always worried about you, you know? When you were younger, you kept to yourself quite a bit."

"A lot of it has to do with Harry," Hermione said. "He's the one who really opened my eyes and helped me see that not all life was about books and studying."

Robert smiled at his daughter. "You know how much I hate to admit I was wrong...'

Hermione giggled. "But aren't you glad you were?"

"I am," Robert said chuckling. "Because of him, I have two wonderful grandchildren and my little girl is happier than she's ever been."

"On top of the world," Hermione agreed.

***

The reporter smiled at the Minister. "Sounds like that was quite a night," the reporter commented.

"Oh it was," Hermione agreed. "And it's not been an easy job, but it's definitely rewarding."

"How much longer do you plan on being in office, Minister Potter?" the reporter asked.

"That's an interesting question, and one I'm not quite sure of the answer for," Hermione said thoughtfully.

"Your approval ratings are at an all-time high," the reporter continued.

"That's good to know," Hermione said with a laugh. "Things have been going smoother than ever lately, despite some trouble in my personal life. I've had to deal with the death of my father this past year, and that was a very difficult time for everyone in my family."

"How are you and your family coping?" the reporter asked gently.

"We're doing all right now," Hermione replied. "It happened over the summer."

"I understand that your youngest daughter was particularly close to her grandfather," the reporter said.

"Very much so," Hermione nodded. "She took it the hardest out of all of us, I think."

"You and your husband must be proud of how your children have turned out," the reporter commented. "Your son is working as an Auror. Your oldest daughter recently returned to Hogwarts as a professor and your youngest is turning out to be quite the Quidditch player."

"We definitely are," Hermione said with a smile. "Harry and I got very lucky to have such wonderful children. They've been very supportive of my job."

"And how much longer do your children think you'll be serving as Minister?" the reporter asked with a sly smile, trying again to get Hermione to answer the question everyone was talking about.

Hermione shook her head. "Again, at this point none of us are really sure."

At that moment, there was a gentle knock on Hermione's office door. Samuel poked his head inside.

"Minister?" he said. "Your husband just owled and said he would be here shortly to take you to lunch."

"Thank you Samuel," Hermione smiled at her long time assistant.

"I don't want to keep you any longer," the reporter said closing her notebook. "Thank you so much for agreeing to sit down with me and congratulations on the anniversary of your election, Minister Potter."

"Thank you very much," Hermione shook the reporter's hand. "I look forward to reading your article."

Hermione led the woman out of the office and said goodbye. When they were alone, Samuel grinned.

"I can't believe it's been 18 years," Samuel said. "It seems like just yesterday, we were moving into this office."

"Tell me about it," Hermione agreed with a smile. "18 years together Samuel, can you believe it?"

"Best job I ever had," Samuel said sincerely. "And here's to 18 more years!"

"Hear, hear," Hermione laughed.

*** *** ***

Saffron and Andrew never got around to flying alone together like Andrew had hoped. Because she knew Peter wouldn't like it, Saffron had kept putting Andrew off and asked Imelda and their other team mates to tag along. It certainly didn't help matters with R.J. trying everything in his power to get Saffron around to thinking Andrew was the better bloke.

She was glad that match day finally arrived and she could concentrate completely on her game. It wasn't going to be easy to beat Hufflepuff without R.J., but the Gryffindor team was determined to win to keep their House Cup chances alive.

While R.J. couldn't convince Professor McGonagall to allow him to play, she had relented and agreed that he could watch the match before serving that day's detention with Professor Sprout. He and Alexa were scheduled to clean the greenhouses without magic. It looked to be a long afternoon, but R.J. wasn't concerned about that at the moment. He was too busy watching the match from the stands.

"NO!" R.J. screamed out. "My Nana can fly better than that! Come on, Andrew!"

"R.J. relax," Alexa put a hand on his arm. "Andrew's doing fine."

"Would you look at Imelda?" R.J. asked. "She's not even moving!"

"R.J. is this how you are at practises?" Alexa asked him.

He absently shook his head. "I'm worse."

"Rather makes me glad I don't play Quidditch," Alexa muttered, tightening her cloak.

"We're down by fifty points Lex," R.J. said defensively. "I have a right to be upset."

"Saffy's going to catch the Snitch and everything will be fine," Alexa assured him. "Look- she's not stopped looking since the match started. She's going to get it!"

Beth nudged Alexa. She held out her omnioculars. "Looks like Peter's more interested in his fan club than watching Saffy play."

"What?" Alexa took the Omnioculars and focused across the field to where the Ravenclaws were sitting. Sure enough, Peter's attention wasn't focused on his girlfriend streaking across the sky but on the blonde sitting next to him, apparently hanging onto his every word. "Beth he's probably just talking about something school related."

"Right," Beth said sarcastically. "I imagine she's offering to tutor him in snogging right about now. Perhaps shagging is next on the agenda."

"Peter wouldn't cheat on Saffy," Alexa glared at her.

"My cousin is in Ravenclaw," Beth said. "And she tells me about how Peter is suddenly Mr. Popularity. All the girls are going after him and he’s just soaking up ALL the attention, Lex. I think Saffy should know about that."

"I'm sure she does," Alexa replied as R.J. let out another groan. "But she's not the jealous type. And he told her that he's falling for her and that he's fancied her for a long time. I don't think she's worried."

The Hufflepuff team scored again and R.J. put his head in his hands. "This is torture!"

"R.J. relax," Alexa was losing patience with him. "This isn't the end of the world."

R.J. didn't hear her as he stood up to watch Andrew dodge a Bludger. Unfortunately, he wasn't quick enough to dodge a Hufflepuff beater's bat which hit him square on the arm and he tumbled off his broom and fell hard to the ground.

"SHIT!" R.J. swore.

"Is he okay?" Alexa asked clutching R.J.'s arm.

Saffron was torn between wanting to check on her team mate and going after the snitch which just whizzed past her.

"GET THE SNITCH!" R.J. screamed. "GET IT SAFFY!"

Saffron flew at breakneck speed toward the elusive snitch. The Hufflepuff beater, seeing what she was after, hit the Bludger toward her. Just as Saffron grabbed hold of the Snitch, the Bludger hit her hard on the back.

"OW!" she cried, her fingers still clutching onto the tiny golden ball as she slipped from her broom, hanging on with her free hand. "Bastard!" she screamed, glaring up at him as her body convulsed with pain.

She awkwardly landed; holding onto the snitch as tight as she could. Gryffindor had won, but she felt as if the wind had been knocked out of her.

"Saffy," Alexa was rushing towards her friend as Madam Hooch severely reprimanded the Hufflepuff who'd hit her. "Saffy are you okay?"

Saffron shook her head. "My back really hurts Lex."

"Saf you were brilliant," R.J. was overjoyed. "You won it for us!"

"Thanks," Saffron said wincing as R.J. tried to hug her.

"Miss Potter," Madam Hooch said. "I'd like you and Mr. Kirke to head to the hospital wing. Can you make it or shall I levitate you?"

"I don't think I can make it on my own," Saffron said trying to stand up straight.

"I can help you," Andrew said, holding his broken arm.

"But you're hurt too!" Saffron protested.

Alexa looked around for Peter, sure that he would have been rushing to Saffron's side, but he was nowhere to be found.

"I can make it," Andrew winced as he tried to move his arm.

"I'm sure Peter can help me," Saffron said, looking around for her boyfriend. "I don't want to put you out Andrew."

"I'd like to put out Trent for doing that to you," Andrew said. "Bloody bastard."

"You can say that again," R.J. said furiously. "What a bloody arse."

Up in the stands, Peter was oblivious to the drama going on down on the pitch. A girl who had never spoken more than two words to him now was hanging on his every word.

"You're so funny Peter," she tossed back her gleaming raven hair. "I can't believe I never noticed just how adorable you are..." she leaned in and kissed him on the cheek, just touching the corner of his mouth.

Peter smiled shyly at her. "I worked out a great deal over the summer."

"I can tell," she said squeezing his bicep. "You're so strong!"

"Thanks," he blushed. "Um... maybe we can study later together. I can show you that Herbology stuff you were confused about."

She gave him a big hug. "You're the best!"

"I think she's really hurt!" a boy sitting behind them said.

"Who's hurt?" Peter asked.

"Haven't you been watching the match?" the boy asked in disbelief. "Saffron Potter! And I think Andrew Kirke's banged up too."

"Shit," Peter tried to stand up, but Rebecca tugged on his sleeve.

"They'll take care of her," she said with a sultry smile. "Besides, you don't want to leave me all alone up here do you?"

In the end, it was R.J. and Andrew who helped Saffron to the hospital wing. Andrew was in a great deal of pain, but his own pain didn't matter at the moment.

"Peter was at the match, wasn't he?" Saffron asked leaning on R.J..

"He was there," R.J. said, looking at his girlfriend.

"It was really crowded," Alexa said. "I'm sure he tried to get to you, but couldn't break through the crowd."

"Oh," Saffron groaned in pain as R.J. and Andrew helped her onto one of the beds. "This hurts so bad..." she whimpered.

"Madam Pomfrey will have you fixed up in no time," Andrew told her. "Me too hopefully."

Saffron only nodded and closed her eyes. "At least we won," she said a few moments later.

"Mr. Weasley," Madam Pomfrey said pushing past him. "You and Miss O'Leary should wait outside."

"Right," R.J. took Alexa's hand. "We have to get to the greenhouse."

"If we see Peter we'll tell him you were asking about him okay?" Alexa added.

"Thanks you guys," Saffron called out to them.

"Feel better Saffy," Alexa smiled at her friend as they left. "You too Andrew!"

Madam Pomfrey tended to Saffron first since her injuries were more serious than Andrew's. After examining her, Madame Pomfrey sighed.

"Quidditch is an awful, awful sport," she chastised. "I can't tell you the number of students..."

Andrew caught Saffron's eye and he made a goofy face despite the pain in his arm.

Saffron laughed which only made her wince in pain.

"This is hardly a laughing matter," Madam Pomfrey said. "Is it so funny that you have a sprained back? I didn't think so."

"I never knew you could get a sprained back," Saffron laid her head against the pillow and bit her lower lip to keep from grinning at Andrew.

"Now you know," Madam Pomfrey said. "And you're going to have to stay here for a couple of days, Miss Potter."

"A couple of days?" Saffron asked, shooting straight up. "OW!" she screamed.

"You are as bad as your father," Madam Pomfrey sniffed. "The poor boy was hurt more than he was healthy. It's that blasted game of Quidditch. It should be banned."

"Ban Quidditch?" Andrew asked. "They couldn't do that Madam Pomfrey. It's the best game in the world."

"And my dad wasn't hurt all the time," Saffron said in his defence. "You make it sound like he lived in the hospital wing."

"Miss Potter," Madam Pomfrey glared at her. "Lie down or I'll move you to the other side of the room."

Saffron kept silent, but it didn't stop her from glaring right back at Madam Pomfrey as she tended to Andrew's broken arm. A few minutes later, Madam Pomfrey left them to send word to Professor McGonagall.

"I can't believe we both had to get hurt so I could get you all to myself," Andrew joked.

Saffron laid her head down with a thump. "What a game though!"

"I can't believe you held on to the Snitch," Andrew said admiringly. "You were amazing!"

Saffron smiled. "It's that iron clad grip I have. There's no bloody way in hell I'd let it go once I got my fingers on it."

Andrew laughed. "Even in excruciating pain?"

"Damn straight," Saffron answered, closing her eyes.

"Going to sleep Saffy?" Andrew asked.

"I'd like to," she replied. "But I'm still in a fair bit of pain. You'd think she'd have given me a potion or something to make it go away..."

"She's probably brewing one as we speak," Andrew reassured her. "At least we'll..."

"Saffy!" Peter said running into the hospital ward. "Are you okay?"

"Peter," Saffron's face relaxed into a smile. "I was hoping you'd show up."

"I got here as soon as I could," he said, leaving out the fact that Miranda had done everything in her power to keep him from Saffron.

"Did you?" Andrew asked.

Peter glared at him before pulling a chair over and sitting between Andrew's bed and Saffron's. "I saw what that jerk did to you. I want to kill him."

"You getting protective on me?" Saffron teased smiling at him.

"Can you blame me?" he asked, reaching for her hand.

"I'm glad you're here," she said.

Madam Pomfrey came back into the room carrying a tray. "Miss Potter, I want you and Mr. Kirke to drink all of this. It should help with the pain."

"I'm all for that," Saffron said taking a glass.

"This stuff smells really horrible," Andrew said taking the other glass. "Do you have something that tastes like butterbeer or pumpkin juice?"

"This is to regrow your broken bones," Madam Pomfrey told him coolly.

Andrew frowned and braced himself before downing the contents of the glass. "Ehhhhhh....yummy."

"How long do you have to stay?" Peter asked as Saffron finished her glass, shuddering in disgust.

"When did you get in here?" Madam Pomfrey said rounding on him. "You shouldn't be here! Out!"

"He's my boyfriend," Saffron explained. "He--"

"Out!" Madam Pomfrey snapped. "There will be NO visitors at this time!"

"Sorry Saffy," Peter whispered, giving her a quick kiss on the lips. "I'll try and come by after dinner if she'll let me okay?"

Saffron nodded. "Bye Pete!"

"Later mate," Andrew said, still trying to be nice.

Peter froze as he reached the door. This Andrew Kirke person was going to be in here with Saffron.

"Out!" Madam Pomfrey bellowed.

Saffron sent Madam Pomfrey a dirty look as her boyfriend was practically shoved out. "Honestly," she huffed.

"You do need your rest," Andrew said. "We both do."

"I know but I haven't seen him all day," Saffron pouted.

"I'm sure he'll be back," Andrew reassured her.

Saffron liked Andrew, but she wasn't totally sure what to say once they were alone. She knew R.J. had been pushing them to get together and if she hadn't been seeing Peter, she'd have been quite interested.

"Professor McGonagall will see to it that you'll both receive any assignments you miss," Madam Pomfrey told them. "And your parents will be notified..."

Andrew groaned. "Why? We're okay. My mum is going to freak out. She feels about the same as you do about Quidditch..."

"You should have thought about that before you took it upon yourself to play such a dangerous game," Madam Pomfrey said sternly before disappearing into her office.

"I can just hear my mum now," Andrew said leaning back on his pillows. "Andrew, I've told you a thousand times..." he mimicked.

"My parents will be worried, but my dad will calm my mum down," Saffron said. "He's the one who got me into Quidditch in the first place."

"You know my dad used to play with your dad," Andrew said.

"Did he?" Saffron asked interestedly, turning her head to look at him.

Andrew nodded. "He was a couple of years behind your dad. Andrew Kirke, Sr."

"I don't know if he ever mentioned the name..." Saffron replied.

"My dad still says that your dad was the best he's ever seen on a broom," Andrew said. "Thinks it's a shame he didn't play professionally."

"I think he wanted to," Saffron said pensively. "But becoming an Auror was always his dream."

"And what's your dream?" Andrew asked smiling at her. "You going to rule the country like your mum? Going to fight the evil forces like your dad?"

"I'm going to play Quidditch," Saffron said with a laugh. "I want to play for Puddlemere someday."

"I think you're well on your way," Andrew said.

"You really think so?" Saffron asked hopefully. "I mean, I know I could use a little work on some of my flying techniques."

"Saffron, you don't need any work," Andrew said shaking his head. "You're perfect."

She blushed. "Thanks."

"I'm the one who needs work," he said trying to get comfortable on the bed without hurting his arm.

"That's bollocks," Saffron said, wishing she could turn on her side. "You're fantastic Andrew. R.J. didn't even make you try out for the team before just handing you a position."

"I took a lot of heat for that," Andrew said. "A lot of people thought he just did it because he's my best mate, but you and I both know how serious he is about Quidditch."

"Almost as serious as he is about Lex," Saffron replied with a grin. "I know he wouldn't have given you the spot if he knew you weren't best for it."

"I'd like to play professionally too," Andrew admitted. "But I don't know if that's possible or not."

"I bet you could get on a pro team no trouble," Saffron said loyally. "That scout's been around after R.J.- maybe he was focusing on you playing today since R.J. wasn't out there."

"You are good for my ego," he said laughing. "I'm sure that scout was impressed with how I tumbled so gracefully off the broom and hit the ground."

"That wasn't your fault," Saffron argued. "That jerk hit the Bludger directly at you."

"But I should have seen it coming," Andrew said. "Who knew Hufflepuffs could play so dirty, eh?"

Saffron shook her head. "It was partly worth it to see Madam Hooch yelling at him afterwards."

"And I suppose I have to be grateful to Trent for one thing," Andrew said grinning slyly at her. "I get to have you all to myself for the next couple of days."

Saffron shook her head. "You are completely incorrigible."

"I've picked up a thing or two being mates with R.J.," Andrew said before yawning. Whatever that potion Madam Pomfrey had given him was, it was making him drowsy.

"I guess," Saffron said. Andrew really was rather cute and also quite sweet, she had to admit.

"I hope that Peter bloke realises how lucky he is," Andrew said sleepily, closing his eyes.

"Thanks Andrew," Saffron said softly.

"....welcome," Andrew said before drifting off to sleep.

83. Ch 83 - with a Birthday!!

A/N: Well I’d like to take this authors note to let everyone know that one half of your author team here is having a birthday today :) Amynoelle is celebrating her __st birthday (LOL a woman never reveals her age ;) ) and she’s sort of co celebrating with Caroline as you get the first half of her party in this chapter. As always, please let us know what you think!

Ever since the Jared situation had been resolved, Maddie and Ethan had tried to meet every day for lunch in the cafeteria or they would meet in the lobby and head out somewhere to spend some time together. That day they were waiting for Ron and Luna to join them.

"So your mum and dad really don't hate me," Ethan asked his girlfriend. "Right?"

"I've told you a thousand times that they don't," Maddie reassured him. "You're their godson, Ethan James."

"I know but--" Ethan was interrupted as Maddie put a finger to his lips.

"No more of that," she whispered.

"All right," he smiled at her. "Long as I have you..."

"You always have me," Maddie said giving him a kiss. "I'm glad I was able to get away actually. Smythe's about as wound up as I've ever seen her."

"Still over Jared?" Ethan asked incredulously.

Maddie shook her head. "There's this woman Seer who used to work for the department years ago, but she took time off to 'find herself' apparently. She's written a few books, but Smythe says she has serious doubts as to whether she really has the gift."

"Bloody hell," Ethan muttered. "Sounds as if things are a bit of a catastrophe right now."

"Just a little bit," Maddie said. "How about you? How's your day been?"

"Not bad," Ethan replied. "Justin and I are on a new case."

"Something big?" Maddie asked.

"Could be," Ethan replied, his arm around her. "I'll fill you in tonight when we get home."

Luna and Ron had actually arrived a little early for their lunch with Maddie and Ethan and went upstairs to visit with Hermione. She hadn't been able to talk much as she was expected in a big meeting so Ron and Luna left to meet up with their daughter and Ethan.

"I think I'll start with a cheeseburger," Ron said rubbing his stomach. "And then maybe some chips. But you know I always have liked the roast beef sandwiches they have here."

Luna shook her head with a smile. "Why don't you order some extra mystery meat?"

"That's the one thing I can say without a doubt I don't want to eat," Ron said shaking his head. "Look, there's Maddie and Ethan."

"They look happy together," Luna commented with a smile. "I'm so happy things worked out."

"Me too," Ron agreed. "I hated seeing my Maddie so upset."

"Hi Mum," Maddie greeted her parents with a hug. "Hi Daddy."

"Hi sweetheart," Luna said. "You look lovely."

"You look great too Mum," Maddie replied. "We can either eat here or we can go out somewhere if you two want..."

"It's been ages since I've eaten here," Ron interjected. "And I'm looking forward to sampling all my old favourites."

Ethan grinned. "I told them to set aside some mystery meat for you."

"And here I was just starting to like you again," Ron said with a grin.

"Daddy," Maddie nudged him.

"I'm only teasing," Ron said putting an arm around his daughter. "Let's go eat then, shall we?"

They went through the line quickly and found a table near the rear of the room, Luna shaking her head at her husband's full plate. "Ronald are you really going to eat all that?"

"We've been married for how long?" Ron asked her setting his napkin on his lap. "And in that time, have you ever known me to not eat everything on my plate?"

"Every time," Luna deadpanned.

"Mads!" Ethan protested as Maddie reached over for one of his chips before he'd even sat down.

"I'm hungry," Maddie said, smiling innocently at him.

"You have your own plate," he pointed out. "Oh sod it. You're never going to change."

"Not that you want me to," she said sweetly.

"Of course not," Ethan said with a grin. "So Uncle Ron..."

"RON-RON!" a female voice shrieked from behind them.

Ron froze as he recognised the voice. "Parvati?" he squeaked.

"I KNEW it was you!" Parvati Patil declared breathlessly. "Ronniekins, it's been SO long!"

"It has!" Ron exclaimed getting to his feet. Parvati practically launched herself at him. "You are just as cute as ever!"

"And you're just as sweet," Parvati smiled flirtatiously at him. "What are you doing here?"

"I'm having lunch with my daughter," Ron replied still grinning at her.

"And his wife," Luna said smiling warmly at her.

"It's lovely to meet you," Parvati said extending her hand. "And you are....?"

"Luna," Luna replied. "Weasley."

"Luna..." Parvati replied. "Wait a minute... Loony? Loony Lovegood?"

"Can you believe it?" Ron asked hitting Luna good-naturedly on the shoulder. "I married old Loony Lovegood!"

Maddie and Luna were staring at Ron in disbelief as Ethan stood up to introduce himself. "Hi," he shook Parvati's hand. "Ethan Potter."

"Harry's little boy?" Parvati asked grinning at him. "Do you know that I was your father's first date!"

"That so?" Ethan asked, sitting back down next to his girlfriend.

"Had the worst night of my life," Parvati said tossing her hair over her shoulder. "He was mooning over Cho Chang and Ron completely ignored my sister. But he told me later it was because he really wanted to be with me! He was such a sweet talker!"

Ron had the grace to blush and sit back down next to his wife. "So what are you doing here Parvati?" he asked.

"I'm afraid I can't really talk about it," Parvati said in a hushed tone. "Needless to say, I'm straightening out this department which is in dire need of my expertise."

"I see," Luna said in a cooler tone than she'd used before.

"What about you handsome?" Parvati said sitting down in an empty chair on Ron's other side. "What are you up to? Causing trouble and breaking hearts?"

"Always causing trouble," Ron winked at her.

Parvati laughed. Her eyes fell on Maddie. "I know you!"

"We met this morning," Maddie said crisply still stung by the woman's remarks about the department.

"Right!" Parvati cried. "You were talking to that old bat Smythe!"

"I beg your pardon," Maddie said through clenched teeth. "Smythe is my mentor and she is not an old bat."

Ethan placed a hand on her arm as Parvati visibly recoiled.

"I meant no offence," Parvati said hastily. She turned her attention back to Ron. "I can't believe you're married and with a child, too!"

"We have six actually," Ron said. "And you're not going to believe this, but I'm actually a grandfather."

"You a grandfather?" Parvati giggled. "You're right, you're just too handsome and young to be a grandfather!"

"You're just saying that," Ron blushed.

"What about you Parvati," Luna asked. "Are you married?"

"Goodness no," Parvati said. "Never could see the good in settling down with one person."

"Neither did I until I fell for Luna," Ron said suddenly turning around and looking at his wife.

"I still can't get over the two of you being married," Parvati said shaking her head. "I remember how strange and peculiar Luna used to be. She used to sit on the train and read the newspaper upside down! And she had that huge lion hat. Do you remember that Ron?"

Maddie's jaw dropped as this woman indirectly made fun of her mother.

"Yeah I remember," Ron said, suddenly uncomfortable. "I didn't... really like it at the time, but now I think it's cute. It's how Luna is."

"Do you remember that song you made up about her?" Parvati asked giggling. "I remember when you first sang it, I couldn't breathe for laughing so hard."

"A song?" Luna asked raising an eyebrow.

Ron gulped. "Come on Parvati we were fourteen..."

"It was such a hoot!" Parvati said. "I can't believe he never sang it for you! How did it go again?"

"I'd really like to know," Luna gave her husband a murderous look.

"I don't---" Ron started to say.

"Loony, Loony, Loony is her name," Parvati started to sing.

Other patrons in the cafeteria turned to stare as Parvati continued.

"Being crazy and bizarre is her claim to fame," Parvati sang joyfully. "There is no boy alive who'd take that girl on a date..."

"That was a long time ago," Ron interjected.

"Exactly what do you think you're trying to do here?" Maddie asked angrily. "First you cause someone very close to me to doubt the quality of work she's done here for years. And now you waltz in here and insult my mother over a petty grudge you seem to be carrying since you left school."

Parvati stopped laughing. "I'm sorry. Luna knows I didn't mean anything by it. I was just reliving some of our good old days at school."

"That doesn't seem very good," Maddie said, still angry.

"Maddie, sweetheart--" Ron began.

"How could you have been so cruel to Mum when she was at school?" Maddie asked her question directed to not only Parvati, but at her father too.

"Maddie it doesn't matter anymore," Luna said quietly.

"Yes it does," Maddie said standing up. "And you'll forgive me if I don't finish my lunch. Suddenly, I'm not so hungry anymore..."

"I'll walk you back," Ethan also stood up.

"You can come with us if you want Mum," Maddie said. "So Dad can continue his happy little stroll down memory lane."

"I'll be all right sweetheart," Luna tucked a strand of hair behind Maddie's ear and gave her daughter a hug. "I'll see you both later?"

Maddie nodded and gave her father a cold stare before leaving with Ethan.

"I certainly seem to have made a mess of things," Parvati said brightly. "I'm sorry gorgeous," she said to Ron.

"It's okay," Ron grumbled. He'd never seen Maddie look at him that way and he felt terrible once again for how he'd treated his wife when they were younger.

"Well," Luna said, picking up her bag. "I think I'll go back to work. Have a lovely lunch Ronald."

"Luna," Ron said grabbing her hand. "Don't..."

"No really," Luna forced a smile to her face. "Have a great time." she pulled away and without another look back, left the cafeteria.

"I'm sorry," Parvati said pulling a sympathetic face. "We know how to clear a room, don't we?"

"Yeah," Ron grumbled. "Why'd you have to bring all that up?"

"It's not as if she didn't know how we all treated her in school," Parvati said putting her hand on his arm. "I didn't mean any offence, Ron. You know that."

"Yeah but we've all grown up a lot since then, at least some of us have. Luna's my wife, and she's the best." Ron replied, staring at Parvati as if he was seeing her for the first time.

Parvati smiled. "I'm sorry for bringing it up. I should probably go..."

"Might be a good idea," Ron said, leaving his almost full tray of food on the table and going to find his wife.

Luna had taken over the editorship at The Quibbler after her father had retired. After Apparating back to the office, she tried to concentrate on proofreading her latest article, but couldn't stop thinking about that horrible lunch.

She wasn't bothered by the things Parvati Patil had said- she had known the girl thought she was strange and Luna had never cared much about what people other than her friends thought of her. It was more her husband sitting there and not even attempting to take up for her that was gnawing at her at the moment.

There was a gentle knock on the door. Thinking it was her assistant Shelley, Luna barely looked up from her article. "I already looked at those photos, Shelley. They're okay."

"It's me," Ron poked his head hesitantly inside. "Can I come in?"

Luna glared at him. "Lunch over so soon then?"

"I left almost right after you did," Ron closed her door behind him.

Luna didn't say anything to that. She returned her attention to her article.

"Luna I'm sorry," Ron said, coming closer to her desk. "I didn't know Parvati was going to show up and start all that."

"What a nice surprise for you to relive all the golden days from school," Luna said sarcastically.

"Luna," Ron said, sitting down in front of her. "I was stupid back then. That dumb song- I barely knew you when I made it up."

"I don't care about the bloody song!" Luna said throwing her quill down.

"What are you so mad about?" Ron asked, confused.

Luna stared at her husband in disbelief. "You have no idea? You honestly have no idea why I'm so upset?"

Ron felt like this was a trick question and he wasn't sure he wanted to answer it.

Luna walked around her desk and stood right in front of her husband. "Okay then...how would you feel if someone you loved, someone you cared about most in this word, just sat there and did nothing to defend you when someone said something awful to them?"

"I tried to," Ron began.

"You didn't do anything," Luna interjected before he could say anything else. "You sat there and let her sing that stupid song. Our daughter was the one who defended me, not you."

"I was going to," Ron said again. "I just didn't get a chance to..." he realised how weak that sounded and cringed.

"Right," Luna said shaking her head. "Well, I have work to do..."

"Luna I'm sorry," Ron pleaded. "After you left I told her what she did was wrong and that I love you. You and our kids are so important to me!"

"You know I put all that behind me," Luna said feeling tears well up in her eyes. "What people used to say; what they used to do when I was around. It hurt, but I told myself it didn't matter because those people weren't my friends and they weren't people I cared about so why should it matter? And then she comes along and reminds me of all that, but what she said didn't hurt me, Ronald. It was you, just sitting there and letting her do it. Do you have any idea how that made me feel?"

Ron felt terrible as his wife wiped her eyes with a tissue. "I'm sorry," he said again. "I wish I could go back and stop her before she even started."

"You can't go back," Luna sniffed.

Ron reached out and hugged her to him. "I love you and I'm sorry I hurt you," he said, kissing the top of her head.

"You're such a git," she said sobbing into his shoulder.

"A git that loves you more than anything," Ron replied, hoping he was saying the right thing for a change.

Luna finally hugged him back.

Ron sighed in relief as she finally responded. "You're my Loony," he said. "And if anyone tries to take the Mickey out of you ever again they'll have to answer to me."

"That song was really terrible," Luna said. "Weasley is our King was much better."

"Especially coming from you," Ron said with a grin.

"You're really easy to get angry with," Luna said smiling back at her husband. "But impossible to stay mad at."

"Part of my charm," Ron tucked her long hair behind her ear before leaning in to kiss her.

Luna kissed him. "You can be quite charming when you want to be."

"When I say the right thing," Ron agreed, hugging her closely again. "You're the bloody love of my life Luna Weasley."

"That is the perfect thing to say," Luna said resting her head on his shoulder.

"Let's keep that in mind for the next time I mess up," Ron joked, running his hand through her hair.

"Which will probably be later tonight if past history is any indication," she teased.

"I'll try really hard not to let that happen," Ron promised.

"Maddie was really angry too," Luna reminded him.

"I'll talk to her tonight," Ron said. "I'm a little scared of her right now..."

Luna laughed. "Where's your brave Gryffindor spirit?"

"I'll try and get some of it back," Ron squeezed her side a little. "I'll let you get back to work then..."

"It should be an early day for me," she said giving him a kiss.

"Tonight we'll do something just the two of us," Ron promised.

"I'd love that," she said dreamily.

"Great," Ron kissed her again. "Love you Loony."

"Love you too," Luna said. "Ron-Ron."

Ron shuddered. "Now that was terrible."

"You keep calling me Loony and I think I might have to start calling you Ron Ron," Luna said grinning at him before imitating Parvati's tone. "Gorgeous!"

"You can call me gorgeous once we're in bed later," Ron commented lustily.

Luna laughed. "Get out of here and let me get back to work Ron Ron."

"I'll see you at home," he kissed her again.

"Bye Ronald," she said touching his cheek.

"Bye Loony," he replied with a grin.

Maddie had to spend the rest of the afternoon watching as Smythe tried to deal with Parvati Patil. She couldn't understand how her father had ever fancied this woman. She was absolutely horrible.

"Smythe, why do we have to have her here?" Maddie whispered once her mentor had finally walked away from the detestable woman.

"I've asked myself the same question all day," Smythe said sitting down at Maddie's desk. "She was apparently very tight with the previous Minister and there was a clause in her employment contract that she could come back after her sabbatical."

"But you're head of the department here, not her." Maddie protested. "Why's she acting like SHE'S running the show?"

"I don't know," Smythe said running a hand through her hair. "This is such a test of my patience, Maddie."

Maddie shook her head. "You weren't in the cafeteria at lunch." she filled Smythe in on what Parvati had said to her mother. "I wanted to deck her."

"That sounds just like her," Smythe said. "I'm hoping that she's going to get bored and go back to wherever she came from."

"That makes two of us," Maddie gave Parvati a dark look. "I don't like her one bit."

"Smythe," Parvati said coming over to them and giving Maddie a saccharine smile. "I was hoping we could go over what we saw in the Pensieve earlier...."

"I have a meeting with the Minister in a few minutes," Smythe said. "Maybe later this afternoon..."

"Madeline could help me," Parvati suggested.

Maddie gave Smythe a pleading look.

"I was actually going to let Maddie come with me to the meeting," Smythe said to Maddie's relief.

"I still can't believe she's married to Harry Potter," Parvati said laughing. "I've never met her, but she doesn't seem like his type from what I remember."

"And you haven't seen him in what, twenty or thirty years?" Maddie asked coolly.

Parvati gave her a tight smile. "It has been quite some time."

"I happen to think Hermione is perfect for Harry," Maddie replied.

"Well, I have never met her," Parvati said with a shrug. "I stand corrected, Madeline."

"Come on Maddie," Smythe put a hand on her arm. "We should get to that meeting."

"Right," Maddie said nodding.

"I'll see what I can do about her," Smythe reassured the blonde once they'd left the office. "Perhaps we can get her to leave on her own."

"Why do I have a feeling we might be stuck with her?" Maddie asked.

"Maybe she'll need to go find herself again," Smythe replied with a grin.

"I know where I'd like to tell her to look," Maddie said dryly.

"Why Madeline Weasley," Smythe teased. "Did you just say something catty?"

"I believe I did," Maddie said laughing.

"I never thought I'd see the day," Smythe laughed too.

When Maddie and Smythe arrived at Hermione's office, they found her and Harry arguing.

"She's sprained her back, Harry!" Hermione was saying. "That's very serious!"

"That's Quidditch Hermione!" Harry replied. "She's going to get hurt sometimes. And Madam Pomfrey's already taking care of her and she's going to be fine. Just FINE."

"Has something happened to Saffy?" Maddie asked interrupting them.

"She got injured at her game," Harry said. "But she's going to be just fine."

"Fine!" Hermione shrieked. "Our daughter sprains her back and that's just fine! I knew we should never have let her take up that silly game!"

"It's not just a silly game to her," Harry said sharply. "It's something she enjoys and it's HER choice to play it. But if you'd like to be the one to tell her you don't want her playing anymore, be my guest Hermione."

Hermione folded her arms. "I just don't like seeing my baby hurt, that's all."

"Well neither do I," Harry pointed out. "But we can't protect her from everything."

"I know," Hermione said.

"Perhaps we should come back at another time," Smythe said.

"No, no..." Harry waved his hands. "I just popped on in here for a moment. I don't want to keep you from your meeting."

"You and Maddie make yourselves comfortable," Hermione said. "I'm just going to see my husband out."

"Thank you Minister," Smythe said graciously.

Hermione led Harry out of her office. "Perhaps I did overreact a bit."

"You're concerned, and I am too. But the injury she got was because of bad sportsmanship, and not necessarily because of the game itself." Harry replied. "If I ever see that kid, he'd better pray someone restrains me."

"Me too," Hermione said. "You know you're pretty sexy when you're protective."

"Likewise," Harry gave her a kiss. "I'll see you later."

Hermione watched him go and then walked back into her office. "I'm sorry for keeping you waiting."

"It's no problem," Smythe said. "I hope you don't mind that I asked Madeline to come along."

"It's never a problem to have Maddie here," Hermione smiled at the blonde.

Maddie smiled back. "Thank you."

"So how are things going in your department?" Hermione asked.

Smythe looked at Maddie. "Well... we have a problem..."

"What sort of problem?" Hermione asked sitting down.

"One of our Seers came back after a Sabbatical." Smythe said. "She's technically allowed back under a clause in her contract with Minister Draven. But she also seems to think she's head of the department now."

"She's really terrible," Maddie interjected.

"You're head of the department," Hermione said to Smythe. "Who is this person that's causing all the trouble?"

"Parvati Patil," Maddie said with a frown.

"If she's under contract I'm not sure there's much to do," Hermione replied. "But you do have my support as head of the Seer department Smythe. There's no one I trust more than you to run things over there."

"Thank you Minister," Smythe said. "I appreciate your support."

"So in other words, we're stuck with her," Maddie said. "I'm sure my father will be glad to hear that."

"She'd have to leave of her own free will," Hermione said apologetically. "But if she does leave again, this time I will see to it that she can't just come back. I don't approve of that at all."

"We'll make do," Smythe said.

"Is there anything else?" Hermione asked with a smile.

"I think that's about it," Smythe said handing Hermione the monthly report that each department had to submit to the Minister.

"Thank you Smythe," Hermione placed it on her desk.

"Maddie and I will be going then," Smythe said standing up. "And my best wishes to your daughter, Minister."

"Tell her I'm thinking of her," Maddie said. "I'll write to her later."

"I'm sure she'd love that," Hermione said.

"Great," Maddie gave Hermione a hug.

"I'm really happy you and Ethan were able to work things out," Hermione told the younger woman.

"Me too," Maddie agreed. "He's so important to me."

"Your mother and father stopped in to see me earlier but I didn't have a chance to visit with them," Hermione said. "They were looking forward to lunch with you and Ethan."

"That's when we first ran into that Parvati," Maddie replied. "She made my mother look like a fool."

"I've heard that name before," Hermione said thoughtfully.

"She went to school with my parents," Maddie said. "And Uncle Harry, too. I'm sure if you want, she'll come and regale you with tales of how she was Uncle Harry's first date."

"As interesting as that sounds I think I'll pass," Hermione replied dryly. "Smythe, if she tries to take over your position, please send her up to me. I feel as if I'm a headmistress in a school here but it may be the only way for her to see she's not in charge,"

"Thank you, Minister," Smythe said. "Come on, Madeline. We've already taken up enough of the Minister's time."

"I'll see you later," Hermione smiled at Maddie. "Thanks for the report Smythe."

Maddie followed Smythe out of the office wondering how she was going to be able to co-exist in the same office with that horrible woman.

*** *** ***

Allison had used a spell to turn Caroline's brunette hair black so she'd look just like Jasmine. The little girl had hardly slept last night she was so excited about her party. The guest list included her family and a few friends from primary school.

"You look just like Jasmine, Angel Girl," Allison said helping her into the costume.

"Thanks Mummy," Caroline said happily. "I can't wait to see Uncle Will as Aladdin! He's going to be so handsome!"

Allison smiled. "It was very nice of him to agree to do that. Be sure and thank him, okay?"

Caroline nodded. "How long until everyone gets here?" she asked.

"About half an hour," Allison said as Emma came running into Caroline's bedroom still in her pyjamas.

"Emma!" Jon called out after her. "Come on and let Daddy get you ready!"

"Mama!" Emma cried. "Eat! Em eat!"

"Not until everyone gets here," Allison said scooping her up. She looked at Jon. "I thought you said you had this covered."

"She runs fast," he said sheepishly. "Come on Em, let's let Daddy put you in your mermaid outfit okay?"

Emma reached out for Jon and Allison gave her over.

"That's my girl," Jon said tickling Emma's side. "You are going to drive me crazy, Emma Madeline Weasley."

"Daddy!" Emma squealed with a giggle.

"That's King Jonathan to you two," Jon said winking at his wife. "Since I have two princesses for daughters..."

"You need to get a royal move on," Allison said giving him a kiss. "We have a house full of people arriving soon."

"Right as rain my Queen," Jon quipped, carrying Emma back to her room.

"Daddy's silly," Caroline giggled. "Mummy should I wear my tiara or my Jasmine crown?"

"Either one would look pretty," Allison replied. "I need to finish getting ready myself, sweetheart. You want to come help me pick out something?"

"Okay," Caroline agreed, following her mother down the hall.

"Mummy?" Caroline asked when they were in the bedroom. "Can I ask a question?"

"Sure," Allison said opening up her closet doors. "You can ask anything you want."

Caroline bit her bottom lip. "When you like somebody does it make your stomach do strange things?"

Allison turned to look at her now six year old daughter. "Sweetheart..." she began. "Do you have a crush on somebody?"

"A little one," Caroline admitted.

"Someone from school?" Allison asked, trying not to smile lest Caroline think she was making fun. She had an idea where this was heading.

Caroline shook her head. "It's someone older than me Mummy."

"Is it now?" Allison played innocent. "My little girl has an older boyfriend?"

"He's not my boyfriend!" Caroline said burying her face in a pillow. "I just want to know how you feel when you really like somebody!"

"Who likes somebody?" Jon asked coming into the bedroom.

"Nobody!" Caroline was shy about her father knowing this for some reason.

"It's just girl talk Jon," Allison said with a smile.

"Oh well I will just leave you girls to it while I take a quick shower," Jon said with a shrug. "Em's just playing in her room."

"Thanks love," Allison replied. "So sweetheart are you going to tell me who your mystery man is or will I have to guess?"

"You promise not to tell anyone?" Caroline asked in a whisper. "Cross your heart and hope to die?"

"Sweetheart of course I won't," Allison promised. "I won't even laugh."

Caroline waited until she heard the shower in the bathroom being turned on before she answered. "It's Uncle Will."

"You fancy your uncle Will?" Allison acted as if this was a surprise. "I think that's a very good choice Angel girl. He's very sweet, and he obviously adores you too."

"You don't think Aunt Frankie will be mad?" Caroline asked.

"I don't think so sweetheart," Allison replied.

Caroline grinned. "So did you feel this way with Daddy?"

"Absolutely," Allison sat down next to her daughter. "Butterflies and everything."

"That's how I feel too!" Caroline said smiling up at her mother.

"Just remember that he is married to your Aunt Frankie," Allison cautioned gently. "And that he's a good twenty years older." she smoothed a stray hair off Caroline's forehead.

"I will," Caroline said giving her mother a hug. "You're the bestest Mummy."

"I'm glad Angel," Allison replied. "How about you go play with your sister until Daddy and I get ready?"

"Okay," Caroline said hopping off the bed.

Allison knocked on the bathroom door before opening it. "You haven't fallen asleep in there, have you?"

"I was hoping you'd join me actually," Jon replied cheekily from the shower.

"We have to get ready," Allison said. "There's no time for that Jon."

Jon pouted. "Promise me for later then?"

"Definitely," Allison said pulling back the shower curtain and giving him a kiss.

"Em you're such a pretty mermaid," Caroline told her sister as they played with Emma's building blocks.

Emma smiled at her sister. "Sissy pretty too."

"Thank you Emma," Caroline beamed at her. "Can you say Jasmine?"

Emma looked thoughtful for a few moments before saying, "Jas.."

"Jas-mine." Caroline prompted patiently.

"Jasamin!" Emma said excitedly.

Caroline giggled. "That's close enough," she played with her sister's red curls, which were growing longer by the day.

Caroline and Emma were both startled by a commotion coming from the sitting room. "Someone's here!" Caroline said eagerly grabbing her sister's hand. "Let's go see!"
The two girls ran out of the bedroom and down the hall to find their paternal grandparents dusting themselves off.

"Grandpa!" Caroline said giving him a hug.


"Lu!" Emma said waving at Luna.


"Well look at you!" Ron grinned, holding his arms out for a hug.


”Mummy turned my hair black," Caroline said hugging him tightly. "But just for tonight!"


"And you look just gorgeous." Ron gave her a kiss on the cheek. "Happy Birthday sweetheart."


"Thanks Grandpa," Caroline said as he set her back down.


"And who is this mermaid?" Ron asked.


"Em!" Emma clapped happily. "I mermaid!"


"Prettiest, sweetest mermaid in the world," Luna said giggling. "Well, this is a first, Ron. We are the first ones here, I think."


"Aye," Ron looked around. "Where's the food?"


"In the kitchen," Caroline pointed. "But we can't eat until everyone's here. Mummy said."


"Think your Mummy would mind me taking a quick bite?" Ron asked his granddaughter.


"She might," Caroline said grinning up at him. "But if you want to sneak something, I won't tell, Grandpa."


"That's why you're the best, my little princess," Ron said, setting her down and going into the kitchen.


Ethan and Maddie Apparated right outside Jon and Allie's door. Maddie held onto the gift and card while Ethan knocked on the door.

"Caroline's going to love our gift Mads," Ethan reassured her.


"I hope so," Maddie replied. "I hope no one else gets her something like it."


"That was the tea set she wanted," Ethan said with a grin. "The one she hinted at last time we took her and Emma out, remember?"


"I know," Maddie said, squeezing his hand.


"Aunt Maddie!" Caroline yelled when she opened the door.


"Don't forget me Jasmine," Ethan said grinning at her.


Caroline giggled and gave them both a big hug. "I missed you!"


"We missed you too sweetheart," Maddie said hugging her.


"And I have a present for you from Saffy," Ethan said holding up a small box of sweets that Saffron bought Caroline from Honeyduke's.


"Oooh what is it?" Caroline asked.


"We can't tell you," Ethan said laughing.


"And I have something for you from R.J.," Maddie said. "They would have loved to be here, but they couldn't leave school."


"That's very nice of them to send things for Caroline," Allison joined them at the door. "You both look wonderful!"


"So do you Allie," Ethan said pecking her on the cheek. "I can't believe little Caroline here is six."


"I know," Allison said. "I can't believe it either."


"Hiya Mum," Jon said coming into the room, dressed in a white dress shirt and khaki trousers. His hair was still damp from the shower. "How's my little mermaid doing?"


"Daddy," Emma called from the sitting room.


"She's ready to eat," Luna said laughing. "She's told me about twenty times."


"Eat is her favourite word," Jon said giving his mother a hug.

Luna laughed. "She is your father's granddaughter."

Maddie, Allison, Ethan and Caroline came into the sitting room just as Ron came out of the kitchen.

"Allie, I hope you don't mind," Ron said sheepishly. "I had a couple of biscuits."

"I've learned to make extra," Allison teased, giving her father in law a kiss on the cheek.

Maddie walked past her father without a word.

"Hi Mum," she said warmly giving Luna a hug. "You look beautiful today."

"Thank you darling," Luna hugged her daughter back. "You do too. I love your hair straight like this."

Maddie smiled. "Ethan likes it, too."

"I think she looks gorgeous no matter what she does or wears," Ethan replied, his arm around her.

"Good answer," Maddie said leaning against him.

"She looks as beautiful as her mum," Ron said smiling at his daughter.

Ethan noticed that Maddie really hadn't acknowledged her father. "Good to see you," he smiled at his godfather.

"You too," Ron said. "I've been trying to get in touch with you two. I've sent owls..."

"I haven't been home much until really late," Ethan replied, trying to get his girlfriend to say something. "Mads here has been getting all our mail."

"Maddie, you did get my owls, didn't you?" Ron asked.

"Caroline?" Maddie asked her niece. "How about I help you sort out your presents?"

Caroline nodded eagerly. "I'll show you where Mummy said we should put them."

Maddie didn't acknowledge her father as she grabbed a handful of presents and followed Caroline out of the room.

Ron stared after her. "She hates me," he said quietly, the biscuit in his hand forgotten.

"It's not that," Ethan said. "She's just...she's not very happy with you since Parvati Pail came back into town, Uncle Ron."

"I know I messed up that one day," Ron replied.

"I don't think she really knew about how you were to Aunt Luna when you guys were at school together," Ethan explained. "You know how she's always adored you."

"Adored as in past tense," Ron said as the doorbell rang again.

Allison excused herself to get the door. It was Jack, Mia and Claire.

"You look adorable, Mia," Allison said kneeling down. The little girl was dressed as Mulan.

"Thank you," Mia beamed at her. "I have a present for Caroline!"

"That's very sweet of you," Allison said ushering them inside. "Hi Jack, Claire. We're so glad you all could come!"

"Thank you for inviting us," Claire said with a smile. "We've been looking forward to it since Frankie and Will's party."

"Is my brother here yet?" Jack asked. "I'm dying to see him dressed up."

"Not yet," Allison grinned. "But Caroline's counting down the minutes until he arrives."

Mia found Caroline in the kitchen. "I love your hair!" Mia squealed.

"Hi Mia!" Caroline grinned excitedly at her cousin. "You look so gorgeous as Mulan!"

"And Emma looks so cute as Ariel," Mia said handing her the gift-wrapped box.

"Thank you," Caroline hugged her. "Come on, I'll show you where I'm putting everything." she took Mia's hand.

"Okay," Mia said. "Caroline, can I ask you something?"

"Sure," Caroline said, setting the gift in carefully with the rest.

"Would you still be my friend even if we weren't cousins?" Mia asked.

Caroline turned to look at her. "Yes," she answered. "You're one of my bestest friends next to Katie."

"You're my bestest friend," Mia said smiling back at her.

"I'm glad we got to be cousins," Caroline said sincerely. "And I'm so excited that you probably get to come to Hogwarts with me too."

"I really hope so," Mia said. "I really, really want to be a witch, Caroline."

"Uncle Will says you're like us," Caroline told her. "So I think you are."

"We'll be in the same house," Mia said. "And we can stay up late and talk and we can study, too."

Caroline giggled and gave Mia another hug. "We'll have so much fun!"

"Caroline!" Jon called out. "The Malfoys are here!"

"Come on!" Caroline grabbed Mia's hand again and pulled her into the hallway.

"Katherine Rose," Julie reminded her daughter. "You promised you would be on your best behaviour and that you'd be nice to Caroline and all her new friends from school."

"Which includes Mia," Ashley chimed in.

"Ash stay out of it," Nick told his older daughter.

"Yes Daddy," Ashley said.

"I'll be nice," Katie promised.

"That's my girl," Julie smiled. "You're a beautiful Cinderella dear."

"The fairest in all the land?" Katie asked sweetly doing a twirl in her blue dress.

"Always," Nick said with a grin.

Katie beamed at her father.

"Katie, you're here!" Caroline said giving her a hug. "You look pretty!"

"Thanks Caroline," Katie said. "Happy Birthday!"

"Thanks," Caroline said. "Hi Aunt Julie!"

"Hello sweetheart." Julie smiled. "Happy Birthday! Hello Mia!"

"Hi Mrs. Malfoy," Mia said shyly. "Hello, Katie."

"Hi," Katie replied politely. "You look nice Mia."

"You really think so?" Mia said grinning at her.

"Sure," Katie pasted a smile onto her face. She may have to be polite to the girl but that didn't mean she had to like her.

Satisfied that Katie was going to be a good girl, Julie and Nick followed Ashley into the sitting room.

"Mia and me were just talking about going to Hogwarts," Caroline told her friend.

"That's nice," Katie said, admiring herself in the mirror. "I get to go before either of you do."

"You can show us around," Mia said. "It'll be great to have a friend there already."

"Right," Katie said. "Caroline did you open any presents yet?"

Caroline shook her head. "Mummy said we were going to eat first and then open presents and then we can play games."

"Is Uncle Will really dressing up as Aladdin?" Mia asked with a giggle.

Caroline blushed. "Yes, he promised."

"I bet he looks so handsome." Mia said loyally.

Katie grew bored with this topic of conversation since it wasn't about her or anything she cared about.

"Come on Caroline," Katie said taking her hand. "Let's go get something to drink."

"Okay," Caroline agreed. "Come on Mia."

"She can stay with her mum and dad," Katie said. "She doesn't have to go with us."

Mia's face fell as she realised Katie's earlier friendliness towards her had been nothing more than a farce.

"But---" Caroline started to protest, but Katie yanked on her arm.

"I'll go in the sitting room," Mia said quietly.

"You need to talk to your father," Ethan said coming up behind Maddie.

"Don't worry about it Ethan," Maddie replied, turning around.

"Maddie," Ethan said. "He's not stupid. He knows you're avoiding him."

"How would you feel if you found out your father treated your mother like nothing more than dirt while they were in school together?" Maddie asked.

"I'd be upset like you, but that was years ago," Ethan told her gently. "Maddie, they've been together for years. They've raised six great children. Look at them..."

Maddie followed his gaze and saw her parents sitting together on the sofa, talking quietly and holding hands.

"Just talk to him," Ethan urged. "If I remember correctly, I wasn't always so nice to you when we were growing up. And look at us now.."

"Point taken," Maddie said, finally cracking a smile. "You're good, you know that?"

“Yes I know,” Ethan replied smugly. “Go talk to your father.”

”Give me a kiss,” Maddie replied.

“I can always do that,” Ethan grinned, pressing his lips to hers.

Because they were in a room that was quickly filling with children, Maddie kept the kiss chaste. Ethan squeezed her hand and then gently pushed her in the direction of her parents.

Ron was laughing at something Luna had said when he noticed Maddie standing in front of them. "Hi sweetheart," he said, chancing a smile at her.

The hurt and anger she felt about how he'd treated her mother bubbled to the surface again and Maddie couldn't return his smile. She told herself to remember what Ethan had said.

"Hi," she said quietly.

Luna patted Ron's hand. "I'll let you both talk." she said, getting up and smiling at her daughter as she went to help Allison in the kitchen.

"I was like Mum," Maddie said after an awkward silence. "When I was at school. I did things just like she did. I kept to myself. I liked to read and go for walks to look at the stars. Would you have made fun of me too, Daddy? Would you have made up some crazy song about me too?"

"I don't know," Ron said honestly. "Maddie I was so different back then. I made fun of people because I didn't even know who I was and I'm not proud of it."

Maddie looked at her father as tears welled up in her eyes. "The other day when we were at lunch and that woman made those comments and you just sat there---it just didn't seem like you. I never knew you could be like that, Dad."

"I know I was horrible," Ron said. "But I'd never do anything deliberately to hurt you or your mum- at least not now. I wish I knew what to say Maddie- but all I can really tell you is that I've learned a lot since I was younger. Your mum opened my eyes and I saw things in her that I never thought I would- and that I'm glad I did. Because I wised up and married her, I got the best wife and the six best children I could have ever asked for."

Maddie wiped at her eyes. "I'm sorry, Daddy."

"Don't you apologise," Ron ordered, giving his youngest daughter a hug. "Maddie, despite what you saw the other day, I'm proud of the girl you were and the woman you've become."

Maddie hugged him back. "There was something I was quite interested in. That Parvati person mentioned something about Mum that I didn't know."

"What's that?" Ron tucked a strand of hair behind her ear.

"Mum actually called Quidditch matches?" Maddie asked.

Ron laughed. "In my sixth year."

"Was she any good?" Maddie asked.

"Bloody brilliant," Ron answered.

"I can't imagine Mum doing that," Maddie laughed. "I can't wait to tell R.J.."

"She only did it her fifth year," Ron said.

"I still can't wait to tell him," Maddie said. She felt someone tugging on her hair and turned to see Emma looking wide-eyed at her.

"Mad!" Emma said giggling.

"Hey you little mermaid," Maddie couldn't keep the smile from her face. "How's my gorgeous goddaughter today?"

"Who's taking pictures today?" Ron asked as Maddie picked Emma up. "Since our resident photographer is away at school. I want a picture of this!"

"Want to smile for Grandpa?" Maddie asked Emma.

Josh grabbed his camera from the table. "I'll take one. How about you get in the picture too, Dad?"

"Yeah," Maddie smiled at him. "Come on Dad."

Ron grinned and moved closer to his daughter on the sofa.

"Okay," Josh said standing back and looking into the camera. "Okay, on the count of three, everyone say 'cheese'. One...two....three..."

"Cheeeeeeeeese!" Emma grinned widely, making Maddie and Ron laugh.

Josh snapped the picture. "That's a good picture. Probably not as good as R.J.'s, but I think it's going to be beyoootiful because of the pretty redhead..."

"Gee thanks son," Ron said puffing out his chest.

"Mermaid," Josh finished.

"Well where do you think she gets her good looks from?" Ron asked.

"Her mother most likely," Josh quipped. "We know she doesn't get them from Jon."

"I heard that!" Jon said from behind his brother. "And I'll have you know, that red hair and those blue eyes came from me, Joshie."

Josh grinned. "Smile!" he flashed the camera in his twin's eyes.

"Josh!" Jon said covering his eyes. "I'm going to kick your--"

"NOT in front of Em," Ron said hastily.

"Daddy, be nice," Emma said easing herself off of Maddie's lap and running toward her father.

"Where's my little mermaid?" Jon asked, scooping her up and tickling her.

"Here!" Emma replied giggling.

Just outside the house, Frankie was trying very hard not to laugh at her husband. "You look really cute," she said covering her mouth with her hand.

"You know, it's only because I love that little girl that I agreed to do this," Will replied.

"I know," Frankie said smiling at him. "And it's going to mean the world to her."

"You could have dressed up too," Will pointed out.

"No other adults were," Frankie said knocking on the door. "And besides, I don't want to take the spotlight away from Princess Caroline."

"Right," Will adjusted his vest. "I hope they answer the bloody door soon, I'm freezing."

Caroline knew who their last guest had to be and she left Katie in the kitchen and ran to answer the door, nearly knocking her mother down in the process.

"Do I look okay Mummy?" Caroline asked straightening her crown.

"You look gorgeous Angel," Allison said. "Did you want to answer the door?"

Caroline smiled and nodded. "Stay with me though, okay?"

"All right," Allison agreed, hiding her smile.

Caroline slowly opened the door and looked at Will, unable to speak.

"Happy Birthday Princess!" Will grinned at her. "How'd I do? Look just like him?”

Caroline didn't say anything and Allison put her hands on her daughter's shoulders. "Caroline?"

"Butterflies," Caroline finally whispered.

"What?" Allison asked. "Are you all right sweetheart?"

"You look just like him," Caroline said beaming at Will.

"Fantastic," Will swooped her up and gave her a kiss on the cheek. "And you are one beautiful Princess Jasmine."

"Really?" Caroline asked blushing. "Mummy turned my hair black."

"Very becoming," Frankie smiled at her. "Happy Birthday."

"Thanks Aunt Frankie," Caroline said.

"Uncle Will!" Mia said running toward him.

"Hey Mia- or should I say Mulan?" Will teased, scooping up his other niece.

Mia laughed. "Caroline and me were talking about going to Hogwarts together. We're going to be in the same house and we'll share a room, too!"

Katie stood beside her father and glared at Mia. That girl had some nerve always rubbing in the fact that she and Caroline would be in the same year and get to share a room.

"I'm sure you'll both have loads of fun there together," Will replied with a grin.

"If she gets to go," Katie muttered under her breath.

"What was that?" Nick asked his youngest daughter. "Did you say something baby?"

"Nothing Daddy," Katie said in a sweet voice.

Josh took a picture of Mia, Caroline and Will under the watchful eye of Katie.

"Uncle Josh," Katie said tugging on his arm. "Take one of me and Caroline. Just me and Caroline."

"Sure," Josh agreed as Katie ran over to Caroline's side.

"Uncle Josh is going to take our picture," Katie said smiling at her friend. "Come on."

"Okay," Caroline said. "Come on Mia; come be in the picture with us! All the princesses!"

"No!" Katie said stomping her foot. "She was just in the picture with you and Will. You and me, Caroline. Just us."

Caroline stared at her for a minute as the adults exchanged looks. "Katherine Rose," Nick said simply, but she understood the meaning.

"Fine," Katie said with false sincerity. "She can be in the picture too, I guess."

"It'll be a good picture," Caroline said, happy once more.

Caroline stood in the middle and put her arms around her two best friends.

"Katie," Josh said. "Smile. Don't look so down."

Katie wanted to do nothing more than scowl as she saw Caroline and Mia both grin widely.

She finally managed a tight smile as Josh took their picture.

"That's going to be really cute," Allison said as Josh set the camera down.

"Almost as cute as Lizzy dressing the triplets up as pumpkins for Halloween," Luna said.

"Now that was bloody adorable," Allison giggled. "Josh your face when you saw them, that was completely priceless."

"I think he might have cried," Jon teased his brother.

"Another picture Jon?" Josh retorted playfully.

"Mummy can we open presents?" Caroline asked excitedly, hardly able to keep her eyes off the mountain of gifts in the corner.

"Of course," Allison said. "Unless you want to have cake first."

"What do you think we should do?" Caroline turned to Katie and Mia.

"Open presents," Katie answered just as Mia said, "Eat cake."

Caroline bit her lower lip. "Maybe we should have cake and ice cream first so that way we have more time to play afterwards?" she replied.

Katie felt tears well up in her eyes. "You just want to because your new best friend does!" she yelled at Caroline before running out of the room.

Nick sighed. "I'm sorry about this," he said, following his daughter out.

"Mummy I didn't mean it like that," Caroline looked distraught that Katie had run out in tears. "We can open presents first if she wants to."

"It's okay Caroline," Allison said putting an arm around her. "Why don't you play with your friends for a few minutes? We'll wait for Katie to open presents, okay?"

"Okay," Caroline took Mia's hand and they went into the sitting room. "Come on Uncle Will!" she called.

Katie had run back into Emma's bedroom and locked the door. Hot tears fell down her cheeks and she knew that her parents were going to be angry, but she couldn't bear to stand there and watch that horrible Muggle steal her best friend away.

"Katie," Nick knocked on the door as Julie came up behind him. "Open up."

"Leave me alone!" Katie called out.

"Alohomora," Julie said, pointing her wand at the door. It swung open and Katie tried to shut it again but Nick held it open.

"Katie," Julie said coming into the room. "Didn't we talk about this before we came to the party? Who was going to be a sweet, lovely girl and be nice to Caroline and all her friends?"

"That's before she kept leaving me out to be with that girl," Katie said, crossing her arms as tears kept running down her cheeks.

"She wasn't leaving you out," Julie said kneeling down. "You know how much Caroline loves you, Katie."

"And did you ever think of trying to get to know Mia?" Nick asked. "There's no reason you can't all three be friends."

"But she's a Muggle," Katie scowled, wiping her eyes.

"What does that have to do with anything?" Julie asked folding her arms.

"She's not magic like we are," Katie said.

"Again, I ask you what that has to do with anything," Julie said. "Your great-grandfather was a Muggle. So is your great-grandmother. Do you love them any less because of that?"

"No," Katie admitted.

"Mia is Caroline's cousin and she's not going anywhere Katie," Julie said gently. "I don't know how many different ways we can keep telling you this. You're not being very fair to Caroline putting her in the middle like that. She doesn't want to hurt anyone's feelings and she's trying to be fair."

"But she always wants to be with Mia now and never with me," Katie sniffled.

"I'm sure that's not true," Julie reassured her.

"Yes it is," Katie sobbed.

"Katie," Julie said hugging her daughter.

"I'm sorry," Katie bawled as Nick rubbed her back soothingly.

Caroline knocked on the door. "Katie?"

Nick opened the door to let Caroline inside.

"I didn't mean to make you sad," Caroline said gingerly stepping inside.

Katie rubbed at her eyes. "I'm sorry for yelling at you," she said in a subdued tone.

"I don't want to open my presents or eat cake unless you're there too," Caroline said giving her friend a hug.

"Really?" Katie asked, feeling better.

Caroline nodded. "And we can even get Uncle Josh to take a picture of just you and me, if you want."

"That's very nice of you Caroline," Julie smiled at her. "You're such a sweet girl."

"Thanks Aunt Julie," Caroline said smiling at her. "What do you say, Katie?"

"Okay," Katie smiled tentatively. "You're still my best friend right?"

"Always," Caroline said taking her hand.

"Come here princesses," Nick said scooping them both up. "Let's go and party!"

Caroline and Katie both giggled as Nick escorted them back into the sitting room.

Allison and Jon directed everyone into the kitchen where Caroline's cake was waiting with six candles.

"Mummy!" Caroline said excitedly. "It looks like a real magic carpet! It's just what I wanted!"

"That looks like the carpet I gave her for Christmas," Frankie teased her sister.

"My inspiration," Allison said laughing.

"Happy Birthday to you," Ron started to sing.

"Dad!" Drew said putting her hands over her ears. "That's awful!"

"What?" Ron asked. "I want some cake!"

"Tell us something we don't know," Neville said sarcastically. "Okay, everyone so ickle Ronniekins can eat. Let's all sing!"

Caroline beamed as everyone sang happy birthday to her and she took a deep breath, made her birthday wish, and blew all her candles out.

"Grandpa you can have the first piece," Caroline said smiling at him.

"Why thank you Caroline," Ron beamed. "Even though you're the birthday girl."

"You've been a good boy," Caroline said.

"Speak boy," Neville teased him.

"And here's a piece for you Uncle Will," Caroline said, blushing.

"Nice trousers," Ethan teased as Will came forward to get the piece of cake from Caroline.

"He looks very handsome," Caroline defended.

"Thank you princess," Will said as she handed him the plate. "Ethan's just jealous."

"He wouldn't look as good," Caroline whispered, her face flaming by now.

"I think Caroline has a bit of a crush," Cho remarked to Frankie.

"That's fairly obvious," Frankie giggled. "I think it's cute. And Will adores her."

"He's a good sport to do something like this," Cho said.

"Aye," Frankie replied. "He's so sweet..."

"And how is married life treating you?" Cho asked.

"Absolutely amazing," Frankie said dreamily. "I never thought it could be this good."

"It must be good since we never see you anymore," Cho teased.

"I'm sorry," Frankie apologised. "This is such a busy time of the year for me- it's when we have to get all our schedules together for next season and start planning interviews and photo shoots."

"Speaking of which," Ron said joining their conversation. "How serious is Puddlemere about my son?"

"Very," Frankie reported with a grin. "But don't tell him that yet."

Ron grinned. "So they don't know about him having to sit out that one match?"

Frankie smiled. "I managed to cover that up."

"Cho, next to mine, you have the best daughters in the world," Ron said giving Frankie a hug.

Cho laughed. "Only the best for you Ron."

"You must be happy to have Drew and Dar back in town," Frankie said looking over to where the twin girls were laughing at something Josh was saying.

"Oh always," Ron agreed. "I'm so glad to have all my kids around. I can't wait to have R.J. back for winter hols."

"They'll be here before you know it," Cho said. "And then he'll be graduating and you and Luna will have that empty nest."

"Don't let my wife hear you say that," Ron replied. "She starts getting teary eyed whenever I mention it."

"You were the same way when Drew and Darla left for Ireland," Cho reminded him. "And when Maddie moved out."

"They're my girls," Ron replied, reaching for another slice of cake.

One of Caroline's schoolmates glared at Ron. "Hey mister! That's my cake!"

"No it wasn't," Ron gulped. "I took it right from the side there."

"You took my cake!" the little boy squeaked. "Mummy! This mean man took my cake!"

Ron shot a panicked look at Cho.

"Frankie," Cho said putting an arm around her daughter. "How about we go get something to drink?"

"See you Uncle Ron," Frankie said following her mother.

Ron glared at them as Maddie came up next to him. "Having trouble Dad?"

"I didn't take his cake," Ron's face was red.

"Did too!" the little boy retorted.

"Did not!" Ron shot back.

Maddie hid her smile. "How about this piece instead?" she asked the boy, taking a large piece with a good portion of the icing heaped on top.

"Okay," the boy said taking it eagerly. "Thank you."

Maddie smiled at her father. "And a third piece for you, since you have that one finished already."

"You saved my life," Ron said smiling back at her. "I thought that little kid was going to go spare."

"You did look a bit scared," Maddie giggled.

"Who was that rug rat anyway?" Ron asked at the little boy who was now eating his cake, but glaring at Ron just the same.

"He's one of Caroline's friends," Maddie replied. "Come on Dad, it's just a five year old boy."

"He's a little too serious about a piece of cake, don't you think?" Ron asked.

Maddie giggled. "Because you weren't serious about it?"

"That little tyrant was just causing trouble," Ron said defensively. "You saw me pick up that cake. It was community property, Maddie."

"All right Dad I believe you," Maddie assured him.

Emma toddled past her grandfather and aunt in the direction of Neville. "Gampa, story. Em tell story."

"You want to tell me a story?" Neville asked, pulling her onto his lap.

Emma nodded and looked at him wide-eyed. "Good story Gampa."

Neville chuckled and stroked back one of her red curls. "Okay, let Grandpa hear your story."

Emma smiled at him. "'Kay... pwetty pwincess...."

"A pretty princess," Neville nodded with a grin. "Was her name Emma?"

Emma shook her head. "Mama."

Cho sat down beside her husband. "What are you two up to?"

"Em's just telling me a story," Neville replied.

"By all means," Cho said smiling at her granddaughter. "Go right ahead, Em."

"Gamma," Emma said. "Dada love Mama."

Cho nodded. "Yes he does."

"Story," Emma continued. "Dada love Mama!"

"Is the story about your mummy and daddy, baby?" Neville asked.

"Princess," Emma nodded.

"Your mummy is the princess?" Cho asked.

"Mama princess," Emma replied. "Dada love Mama!" she clapped happily.

Neville bounced her on his knee. "Is that the whole story?"

Emma shook her head. "Gampa...king."

"Grandpa was the king?" Cho asked with a smile.

Emma nodded and Neville grinned. "I like this story, Em."

"What happened next?" Cho prompted her.

"Gampa not like Dada love Mama," Emma said simply, biting her bottom lip. "Not at all."

"What?" Neville asked with a laugh.

"Gampa mad," Emma said her eyes growing wide.

"What's going on?" Caroline asked coming over to join her sister and grandparents.

"Em's telling us a story," Cho replied.

"Sissy tell Gampa about story," Emma prompted.

"Which story Em?" Caroline asked.

"Princess Mama," Emma said frowning. "Tell!"

Caroline giggled. "They already know all about that story Em!"

"Why do I have a feeling I was a mean king," Neville said with a grin.

"You're not a mean king Grandpa," Caroline leaned against him.

"Thank you sweetheart," Neville said kissing the top of her forehead.

"Isn't this a cosy scene?" Jon asked coming over with Allison. "What's going on?"

Cho grinned. "The girls are telling us a little story... about a prince, princess and mean old king grandpa."

Jon paled. "That's um, that's one of those Disney movies Caroline loves so much."

"Sure it is," Neville smirked.

"Okay maybe it was about someone you know," Jon said sheepishly. "But we said the king was very...help me out, Al."

"Handsome," Allison said, her eyes twinkling. "And very gracious."

"Very gracious," Jon said nodding. "And the best father-in-law a bloke could ever have."

"Good to know," Neville teased, patting Jon's shoulder. "And this father in law likes his son in law very much."

"Thanks," Jon said with a relieved sigh. He picked Emma up. "Baby girl, are you trying to get Daddy in trouble?"

Emma giggled. "Daddy be nice!"

Allison laughed. “You heard your little girl, Jon. Be nice."

"I am!" Jon protested, tickling his baby's side.

"Daddy," Emma said giggling.

"Mummy can we PLEASE open my presents?" Caroline begged.

"I think that would be a great idea," Allison replied.

"Yay!" Caroline said. "Come on Katie! Come on Mia!"

"Come on evil King," Cho said taking her husband's hand. "Let's go watch Caroline open her presents."

"Right my lovely Queen," Neville gave his wife a kiss.

84. ch 84

A/N: Sorry again for the later update- we’re being interviewed for Miscard’s Harmony podcast and had some troubles getting it all started up.

For those of you who like the Hogwarts crew- this whole chapter has plenty of that plus there’s a flashback to the Hillsdale time before H/Hr got together ;)

As always please let us know what you think!

The rest of the party passed by without incident. Caroline opened her presents with Katie and Mia on either side. And Katie actually was civil to Mia. Little by little guests started to leave. Allison sent her in-laws and Maddie and Ethan off with baskets of food. Emma was fast asleep on the sofa, her head in Frankie's lap.

"What a great party," Frankie said, stroking Emma's hair.

"Even better than some of Alicia's old bashes?" Will asked teasingly.

Frankie scowled. "Don't mention that name around me."

"Uncle Will," Caroline came into the room with her toy magic carpet. "Want to go for a ride with me in the backyard?"

"Aren't you knackered?" Will asked her.

Caroline shook her head. "Not right now."

"Maybe just for a little while then," Will said standing up. "You know I never can turn you down, Princess."

Caroline blushed. "This was my favourite birthday," she said shyly once she'd put her little cloak on and they were outside.

"Turning six is a big deal," Will said following her to the middle of the yard. "And you got some really nice presents too."

"Well you came as Aladdin for me," Caroline said, getting onto her carpet.

"Aye," Will said smiling as the carpet rose about a foot off the ground. "And I was happy to do it, Caroline."

Caroline smiled happily as Will got on behind her. "I'm glad you're my uncle." she said, still blushing.

"And I'm really happy you're my niece," Will said mussing her hair.

Caroline giggled. "Now we really are like Aladdin and Jasmine!" she said as they began to float around the backyard.

Allison and Frankie watched from the kitchen window. "That is the sweetest thing in the world," Frankie said tilting her head and smiling.

"Will is amazing," Allison agreed. "He's so good with the girls and Caroline adores him. He was so sweet to dress up for her today."

"He is pretty great, isn't he?" Frankie said dreamily.

"You and Will planning on having some Will Juniors?" Jon asked teasingly.

"Not yet," Frankie said. "But I think I'm starting to change my mind about waiting so long."

Allison was so surprised she nearly dropped the stack of plates she was carrying.

"Really?" Allison asked steadying herself.

"Possibly," Frankie laughed at her sister.

"I happen to think you would be a great mum," Allison said. "Caroline and Em are crazy about you."

"Thanks Allie," Frankie replied. "It's so weird- a year ago I would have been running away from this sort of conversation. I never thought I would be married, much less talking about having a child."

"And look at you now," Allison said grinning at her.

"All grown up and domesticated," Jon teased his sister in law.

"Just like you guys," Frankie said. "Well, Allie's grown up anyway."

"Hey!" Jon pretended to be offended.

"He may be a kid, but he's my big kid," Allison said putting her arms around her husband.

"This one is completely out," Frankie said, stroking Emma's cheek.

"I think the birthday girl needs to come in too," Allison said. "It's getting late."

"I'll go and get her," Jon offered.

"No need," Will said, coming in with Caroline on his back. "It's getting really chilly so we came back in."

"Time to get ready for bed Angel Girl," Jon said.

"But I'm not sleepy," Caroline protested right before yawning.

"How about you go get ready for bed and I'll come read you a story?" Will offered.

"That's really sweet of you Will," Allison said. "But I know you and Frankie wanted to get home..."

"We've got time," Will said. "Right Frankie?"

"Sure," Frankie said nodding.

"Yay," Caroline said, sliding down from his back. "I'll go get my pyjamas on."

"And I think Allie and I will go and put Emma down," Jon said taking Emma from Frankie. Emma opened her eyes. "Sleepy, Daddy."

"I know baby," Jon said, kissing her forehead. "Come on little mermaid, say good night to Aunt Frack."

"Night Emma," Frankie said squeezing the little girl's hand.

"I know how she feels," Allison said following Jon to the nursery. "I'm right knackered too. I say after Frankie and Will leave we just finish cleaning up tomorrow morning."

"Sounds good to me," Jon replied. "I have tomorrow free to stay at home."

Allison pulled out Emma's pyjamas from the dresser.

"I still can't believe Caroline is six Jon," she said shaking her head. "My little baby is six years old."

"I know," Jon said, carefully pulling the mermaid costume off his youngest daughter. "Seems like yesterday we were bringing her home for the first time."

"They're both growing up so fast," Allison said handing Jon the pyjamas.

"Too fast," Jon agreed. "Wish we could stop them somehow."

"We could always have another one," Allison said.

"Would you want that Al?" Jon asked, turning around to look at his wife. "I thought you only wanted us to have two."

"I've just been thinking about it more lately," Allison said. "Do you not want us to have another baby?"

"It's not that I wouldn't want to have another baby," Jon was uncharacteristically serious. "But if we did... we'd really have to tighten things up. I mean, you're not working, but we're living comfortably on what I do. Another kid would really be a big expense for us."

Allison nodded. "And you’re worried about something happening like it did with Emma too, aren't you?"

"A little," Jon confessed. "I almost lost you Al. I don't know what I'd do if that happened."

"You won't lose me," Allison said softly. Jon turned back around and finished changing Emma then tucking her into her new bed. "Jon..."

"I think about that every day," Jon said quietly. "How I'm so lucky to have you..."

"I made it through and Lizzy said that if we wanted to have another baby, we could," Allison said. "What happened before was just...”

"It was a close call," Jon finished. "Too close Allie."

Allison took his hand and led him out of Emma's room. They could hear Will and Frankie in Caroline's bedroom reading her a story.

Allison closed their bedroom door. "Do you remember those weekends we'd spend in that flat above your uncle's shop when I was still in school?" she asked him. "We used to talk about having a big family, Jon."

"We were teenagers," Jon pointed out.

"Don't you want to try for a little boy?" she asked smiling at him.

"Al if you got pregnant again I'd be delighted, of course." Jon replied. "But I'm happy with our two daughters."

Allison hugged him. "I think about what we almost lost when Emma was born too, Jon. Everyday I see those two little girls, I'm so grateful that I'm here with you and to watch them grow up."

"No one is more grateful than me," Jon gave his wife a kiss.

Allison rested her head on his chest. "I've been thinking about this for awhile now, I just didn't know how to bring it up to you. I know how scared you were, Jon."

"I didn't know you really wanted more children," Jon stroked her hair back.

"I just see Josh and Lizzy with the triplets and Chi's twins and I just started thinking about it again," she said softly. "And those talks we used to have in the old flat about having enough for a Quidditch team. Of course, I don't want that many..."

Jon smiled. "How about a little compromise then?" he asked. "We can try, and if you get pregnant, we'll take every precaution and every means necessary to make sure you and the baby are okay."

"Really?" she asked hopefully. "I know money will be tight, but I could start helping mum out at the studio, not as a dancer, of course, but I could help her keep the books and....I probably need to slow down."

"If it makes you happy, then this is what I want to do," Jon replied.

"Only if you want it too," she said looking up at him. "And we can talk to Lizzy about it too."

"That sounds good," Jon gave her a kiss.

Frankie knocked on the bedroom door. "Allie? Will and I are going to go. Caroline's out like a light."

"Okay," Allison said, opening it. "Thank you both so much for everything you did today."

"It's not every little kid I'd do this for," Will said smiling at her. "She's really great, Allie. You and Jon should be proud."

"We are," Allison smiled back. "And thank you again for dressing up for her. You really made her day Will."

"Saved me from having to do it," Jon said shaking Will's hand. "Thanks mate."

"Anytime," Will laughed. "Well maybe not anytime... but you know what I mean."

"We do," Jon said. "And we appreciate it. Caroline did too."

"We'll see you both soon," Frankie hugged her sister.

"Thanks again you guys," Allison said watching as Will and Frankie disapparated. She looked impishly at her husband. "So....the girls are asleep..."

"And we were talking about trying..." Jon said slyly.

"No time like the present," Allison said moving closer. "You know to get started, I mean."

"I like the way you think Mrs. Weasley," Jon said, picking her up and carrying her to the bed.

*** *** ***

Saffron had received the letter from her grandmother during lunch and had forgotten about it as they'd had quite the busy day. She'd almost been asleep when she thought of it in her bag and had brought it downstairs to read by the fire.

Part of her wished she'd kept it until the next day as Elinore had sent her several Muggle snapshots of Saffron and Robert taken over the years. Seeing her happy, vibrant grandfather brought a fresh wave of grief over her and she began to sob, muffling the sound in her sleeve.

With everything that had been going on with the team, Andrew had neglected much of his studies. Unfortunately, he'd had to do makeup work for McGonagall and Snape. Two of those assignments were due tomorrow morning and he hadn't done anything on them yet. He snuck out of the room carrying his books, a quill and some parchment.

Saffron was so wrapped up in her memories that she didn't hear Andrew approaching until he was standing over her.

"You studying late too?" he asked with a laugh that died on his lips when he saw her tear-stained face. "Saffron?"

"What are you doing up?" she asked, her voice gone husky from crying.

"I had some assignments to work on," he replied sitting down. "Are you okay, Saf?"

She shook her head, wiping her eyes in embarrassment.

Andrew set his books and papers aside. "Is it your family?"

"My grandfather," Saffron said quietly. "He died over the summer and I really miss him."

"R.J. mentioned that," Andrew said. "He said you two were really tight."

"Yeah," Saffron stared at the fire. "My grandma just sent me these pictures and it brought back a lot of memories."

"Can I see them?" Andrew asked.

"If you want to," Saffron handed him the photographs.

Andrew smiled as he looked at the first photo. "I take it this adorable little girl is you?" he asked.

"Yes," Saffron replied. "That was taken the first time we ever went to Brighton."

"How old were you here?" Andrew asked. "Four? Five?"

"Four," Saffron nodded, not realising she was leaning against him.

"That bucket is nearly as big as you," Andrew said laughing.

"I can't believe that was over ten years ago already," Saffron said as he went onto the next picture.

The next picture was of a five-year old Saffron sleeping with her head on Robert's shoulder.

"That's really cute," Andrew said. "I think R.J. told me he got you into that Muggle sport golfing?"

Saffron smiled. "There's a picture in there of him teaching me how to swing the club. That was the one that really set me off."

"I've played that a few times myself," Andrew told her. "Not many though."

"My Grandpa really loved to play," Saffron said looking wistfully at the photo.

"I can tell," Andrew said. "I'm really sorry Saf. I wish there was something I could do for you."

"I really thought I was doing okay," Saffron said as a tear fell down her cheek. "But looking at these photos just brought it all back. I'm never going to talk to him again."

Andrew slid an arm around her as she began to cry again.

"I miss him so much," Saffron said sobbing into Andrew's shirt.

"I'm sorry Saf," Andrew wasn't exactly sure what to do so he ran his hand gently through her hair.

Saffron was embarrassed to be crying in front of Andrew like this. Not only was he her friend, he was also her team mate. But, try as she might, she couldn't stop crying and it felt so nice to be comforted like this.

"Shhhh...." he said in as soothing a voice as he could. "It hasn't been that long Saf. You're bound to have relapses like this."

Saffron lifted her head off his shoulder to look at him.

"Are you okay?" he asked, feeling rather dumb. He couldn't help but notice just how close she was, and at this distance, she was even prettier.

"I feel safe," she said looking earnestly at him. "With you, I mean."

"You do?" Andrew asked, his eyebrows shooting up.

"And you make me feel better," she said softly. "You've made me laugh when I didn't feel much like laughing."

"I'm glad I was good for something then," he said with a slightly crooked grin.

Saffron smiled. "You were. You've been a great friend to me, Andrew."

"You're a great girl Saf," he said honestly.

"Even when I'm sobbing like a crazy person?" she asked wiping at her eyes.

"Sure," he teased, pulling her a bit closer. Even though she was with that dolt of a Ravenclaw, he still liked her. "You're especially cute like that."

"Right," Saffron said with a slight laugh. "The red eyes will really get the boys a running."

"You still look good to me Saf," Andrew told her.

"Red eyes and all?" Saffron asked. Her stomach did little flips as Andrew leaned in closer.

"Red eyes and all..." he whispered. He was about to kiss her- and part of him was screaming to stop, that this was another bloke's girlfriend, but she also seemed to be leaning in as well. Andrew closed his eyes and a moment later, his lips touched hers.

Saffron relaxed against him giving into the kiss. She didn't really know how to describe how being like this with him was making her feel. She knew that she didn't want him to stop.

Andrew's hand slid from her hair to her cheek as he deepened the kiss, revelling in just how good Saffron was making him feel at the moment.

"Andrew," she said in between kisses. "What are we doing?"

"I don't know," he said, pulling her on top of him. "But you're amazing Saf..."

Saffron smiled at him before crashing her lips to his again.

She was definitely passionate, Andrew thought, his eyes closing as he ran his hands up and down her back.

This was definitely different from anything she'd ever done with Peter, Saffron thought fleetingly as Andrew gently lay her down on the sofa. He trailed kisses down her cheek and neck. Peter, she thought guiltily.

With every ounce of willpower she could muster, she pushed Andrew away.

"Whoa," he said, his breath coming fast. "What's wrong?"

"We can't do this," she said trying to catch her own breath.

Andrew wanted to ask why, but he already knew the answer.

"I'm sorry," she said sitting up on the sofa.

"I shouldn't have," Andrew began. "But I've been wanting to do that for ages."

Saffron wanted to tell him that she felt the same, but she'd already betrayed Peter enough tonight.

"It's late," she said instead blindly gathering up her photos and the letter from her grandmother. "You should get back to studying."

"Saf I'm sorry," Andrew apologised. "I don't want to ruin our friendship over this."

"We're fine," Saffron said not looking at him. "Good night, Andrew."

"Night Saf," he said, feeling a bit dejected.

After she'd left, Andrew tried to work on his assignments, but he couldn't think of anything but that kiss. Giving up on getting anything done, Andrew grabbed his belongings and ran up to his room.

R.J. hadn't been able to sleep either. He'd gotten quite used to having Alexa by his side and being without her was becoming quite a challenge.

"You still up mate?" Andrew asked, tossing his books onto his bed.

"Can't sleep," R.J. said tossing his Quidditch magazine aside. "You get your work done?"

"Not really," Andrew replied.

"I'm trying to sleep you know," Jason said throwing a pillow at R.J..

"Good luck with that," R.J. said throwing it back at him.

"Then go to sleep," Andrew retorted. "Wet dreams and all..."

"Sod off Kirke," Jason shot back. "I don't want to hear more of R.J. whining over his girl."

"Then we won't talk to you," Andrew replied yanking Jason's bed hangings shut.

"Remind me why we're mates with him?" R.J. asked.

Andrew shook his head. "R.J. can I ask you something?"

"What's up?" R.J. asked.

Andrew told him about Saffron's letter and them talking and what had happened afterwards. "And then she got all freaked out and ran upstairs."

R.J. looked thoughtfully at his friend. Normally, he'd make a smart remark, but this wasn't just any girl they were talking about. This was Saffron. "She feels guilty about Peter, I imagine."

"That bloke is an idiot," Andrew replied. "I mean, you and Alexa saw him with those other girls the other day, and he's got Saffron as his girlfriend. I just don't get it mate."

"Neither do I," R.J. agreed. "But he's definitely got Saffy snowed."

"I don't want her to get hurt," Andrew said, feeling protective.

"I'll try and talk to her if you want," R.J. offered.

"You will?" Andrew asked.

"Sure," R.J. said nodding. "You really fancy Saffy, don't you?"

"She's just different from other girls," Andrew replied. "She's the only girl that can put you in your place," he added with a grin.

"Don't I know it," R.J. said with a laugh.

"I don't want to be the cause of her breaking up," Andrew said seriously. "She just has to see what a wanker that bloke is."

"There's a Hogsmeade weekend coming up," R.J. said. "Maybe the wanker will mess up then. And this time, Lex and I get to go. I still wish I could find who the nark was."

"If I hear anything from any of the other guys I'll let you know," Andrew said.

"Like anyone's going to tell you," Jason chimed in, his voice muffled by the closed curtains.

"Better not have been you," R.J. threatened.

Jason pulled back the curtains. "It wasn't me, but I think it's fairly obvious who it was, Junior."

"She hasn't said a bloody thing to me in months," R.J. retorted.

"And you don't think she'd try something like that?" Jason asked sarcastically. "Since your relationship ended so well and all."

"If she did, Saffron better not find out about it," Andrew moved to his own bed and sat back.

"Think about it," Jason said sitting on the edge of R.J.'s bed. "No Gryffindor would have done it. We all know how important the match against Hufflepuff was. And who in this school has a grudge against not only you, but Alexa?"

"It's a good point," R.J. said. "But at this point, I don't know what I could do about it without framing myself, Lex or Saf."

"Can't blame you for going after her though," Jason said. "She is pretty hot."

"Christina?" R.J. rolled his eyes. "She's cute but she's annoying as hell after awhile."

"Didn't stop you from shagging her though, did it?" Jason asked dryly.

"Fuck off," R.J. snapped.

"Since McGonagall stopped your little sleepovers, you going to try and shag the virgin on winter hols?" Jason asked.

Andrew gave Jason a dirty look. "You're a real asshole you know."

Jason ignored him. "Doesn't matter though, does it? By this time next year, the famous Quidditch player will have girls gagging for it and little Alexa will still be here."

"Your point is?" R.J. asked furiously.

"Just making an observation," Jason said. "You're not really going to stay together with her after you graduate, are you?"

"I love her," R.J. snapped. "You don't love anyone but yourself so how the hell would you know how I feel?"

"Well, I'll make sure to send you an owl to say 'I told you so'," Jason said standing up and walking back over to his bed.

"Go to hell," Andrew snapped as Jason yanked the hangings back around his bed. "What a wanker."

"Too right," R.J. said angrily.

"Alexa's a great girl," Andrew said sincerely. "I'm glad you have her R.J.."

"She is," R.J. said relaxing just thinking about her. "And we'll be together this time next year. And I'll send Jason an owl rubbing it in his face."

"Aye," Andrew grinned. "I'll help you write it."

"We better get some sleep," R.J. said. "We have to get you and Saffron together tomorrow."

"Man she's great," Andrew said, thinking about their heated snog on the sofa downstairs.

"Night Kirke," R.J. said shaking his head before turning off the bedside light.

"Night Weasley," Jason mimicked in a falsetto tone. "Night Kirke."

"Night wanker," R.J. and Andrew said in unison.

*** *** ***

Mum:

I wish I could talk to you in person. This is one of those times when I wish I could just ring you and hear your voice and you could tell me what to do. I've made such a mess of things. Things with Peter aren't as great as they used to be and it doesn't help lately that I've been having these feelings for R.J.'s best mate Andrew. He makes me laugh and we always have such a great time together.

I feel like I can tell him anything. Does that make sense? I've always known Andrew, but I've never known him, you know? This doesn't make sense. But aren't you the one who always tells me love doesn't make sense. I bet you and Daddy never had this much trouble.

I miss you! Love to Dad!

Love,

Saffy

Hermione was shaking her head as her husband came in with a mug of tea for each of them. "What's that?" he asked.

"From Saffron," Hermione replied. "She doesn't seem to think you and I had trouble with our relationship."

"Good thing she didn't know us back at Hillsdale," Harry said with a laugh.

"Exactly," Hermione said with a grin. "There were times when I wanted to smack you upside the head and other times I just wanted you to kiss me and sweep me off my feet."

"By the time I finally did I'm surprised you were still hanging around," Harry teased.

***

Hermione waited until her parents and Lavender were asleep before grabbing a jumper and throwing on her shoes. Harry had slipped her a note on the way out of the cafeteria asking her to meet him tonight at just past midnight. They hadn't been able to practise today because apparently his uncle had him running around on errands .She hoped he was in a better mood than he'd been in yesterday. It had took everything she had not to ask him if it was his time of the month.

"Hey," he said as she slid inside the ballroom. "I'm glad you were able to make it."

"I'm a little late," she said ready to head him off before he went on to remind her how important this was. "But I had to wait until my parents went to sleep and my dad was..."

"It's fine," Harry replied brusquely. "Let's just get to practising."

"Why are we meeting here and not in the studio?" Hermione asked.

"Just thought it might give you a feel for what dancing at the Sheldrake will be like," Harry replied. "We're going to have to do this without music. If Vernon caught wind of me being in here I'd get sacked on the spot."

"Why chance it?" Hermione asked walking toward him.

"Because I thought you might like to see what it's like dancing in a real ballroom," Harry stared at her. "Did I not just say that?"

Hermione glared at him. "Fine. Pardon me for wanting to carry on a conversation. Let's get this over with."

Harry wanted to kick himself for being such an arse again. "On a scale of one to ten, how would you say you know the dance by now?" he asked.

"About a six," she said thoughtfully. "I'm still having a problem with that turn where you spin me out and then bring me back. It feels clumsy."

"All right, we'll work on that first," Harry said in a patient tone.

They did the footwork before the move and Hermione then grasped Harry's hand as he spun her out. She stumbled a bit, cursing under her breath.

"Let's do it again," Harry said in the same tone.

"Okay," Hermione said nodding. This time she did the spinout perfectly, but when Harry pulled her to him, she couldn't help but laugh at the serious look on his face. "I'm sorry."

"We really need to concentrate here," Harry said coolly.

"Okay," Hermione said trying to stifle her laughter. Again, Harry spun her out and again he pulled her back, but Hermione couldn't stop laughing.

Part of Harry wanted to laugh with her and the other half wanted to shake her. "Could you get a grip?" he snapped.

"I'm sorry," she said her laughter fading away. "You just looked so serious. Look, I know this is a big deal and we're working really hard, but would it kill you to look like you're enjoying it? I mean, I know I'm not someone you'd normally choose to spend your time with..."

"How would you know?" he asked in a sardonic tone. "You don't know anything about me."

"I know that you keep treating me like something you scraped off your shoe," she shot back. "This isn't exactly fun for me either, you know."

"Then why are you doing it?" he retorted.

"I don't know!" she said angrily turning on her heel. Harry caught her hand and pulled her to him, just like the dance.

"There," he said after a moment. "You got it..."

"G-got what?" she stammered feeling light headed.

"The step," he replied. "That's exactly how you should do it." he was still holding her close.

Hermione's eyes brightened. "We did it!" She threw her arms around his neck and hugged him tightly. "We did it!"

Harry hugged her back without realising it, closing his eyes and burying his nose in her hair- it smelled like cinnamon and vanilla and some other spice he couldn't put his finger on. It was different yet so her.

"I never thought I'd get it," she said with a laugh.

"Good job," he congratulated her, a smile tugging at his lips.

"You're smiling at me," she said. "I didn't even know you had teeth."

"Funny," he replied. "Come on, let's do it again."

"Okay," she said smiling at him. "I'll try and not laugh this time."

"Good," he said simply, moving them back into position.

Hermione again performed the move perfectly and felt that same flip in her stomach as Harry pulled her to him. "It's different without music," she said trying to not look into his eyes.

"Yeah I know," he said. "I hate dancing without music. Feels like something's missing from it all, you know?"

She nodded. "But I must admit, it's nice being in this room without your cousin stepping on my feet and breathing on my neck."

Harry shook his head and almost smiled. "I don't know how you put up with that."

"I just close my eyes and try to pretend I'm somewhere else or with someone else," she said blushing.

"Oh yeah?" Harry asked curiously. "Like who?" he wished she would say him but he knew that was a real shot in the dark.

Hermione nearly told him that she pictured dancing with him, but she wasn't about to tell him that. "Just someone who would dance with me and make me feel like I was floating on air..."

Harry nodded. "We'd all like a partner like that..."

"Did you ever have someone like that?" she asked.

"Not yet," he answered, dipping her back, his eyes dropping to the swell of her breasts and then skipping back up to her face. "Haven't really had the time..."

"Neither have I," she said as he pulled her back up.

Harry stared at her for a long moment, leaning in ever so slightly.

"Why...why are you looking at me like that?" she whispered.

Harry caught himself just in time. "Just trying something new," he lied.

"Oh," Hermione said, feeling like a fool for thinking he might have kissed her. She was silent as Harry led her through the dance once more.

"Good," he praised her. "I think you've got it."

"Really?" Hermione asked.

"Yeah," he offered her another rare smile before pulling back.

"Can I ask you something?"

"Sure," Harry shrugged.

"When I see you in the ballroom, why don't you ever--" she started to ask.

"Ever what?" he prompted.

"Ever ask me to dance?" she asked. "I've seen you dance with other guests and as far as your uncle knows, I'm just another guest."

Harry looked at her for a long moment. "I asked you to dance in the employee disco," he said finally.

"That was more about putting me in my place, wasn't it?" Hermione asked him. "You didn't think I belonged."

"You looked bored," Harry replied. "So I asked you to dance."

"I was about to leave when you came up to me," she reminded him.

"Why were you going to leave?" he asked. "You'd just gotten there with Neville."

"I felt out of place," she admitted, which was half-true. She wasn't going to tell him that she'd felt like an idiot in front of him.

Harry stared at her again before nodding. "Well next time I see you in the ballroom I'll ask you to dance," he said, although he wanted nothing more than to pull her into the darkened back room and show her a different sort of dance. Despite her outward appearance, Harry could sense a passion that sparked inside her when they were dancing together and she was appearing increasingly in his thoughts when they were apart.

"What kind of dance would we do?" she asked him, wondering if that was a promise he would or could keep. "Certainly not this one. Perhaps a waltz?"

"Something like that," Harry said. "We'd better call it a night. I don't want to draw attention in here."

"Oh," Hermione said, not yet ready to leave.

"What time did you want to meet tomorrow in the dance studio?" Harry asked. "I'm free anytime after half past four."

"That's fine," Hermione said grabbing her jumper from the floor. "I'll see you..."

"Wait," Harry said, following her out. "Will you be all right walking back by yourself?"

"I'm fine," she said not looking back. "You've already spent enough time with me."

"Why do you say that?" Harry was curious enough to follow her down the path.

"You always act like you can't stand to be around me," she said still looking straight ahead. "And then we have moments like we did back there and you're actually an okay person, but then you..."

"Moments?" Harry asked, pulling on her arm. "Hermione--"

"What?" she asked. "You don't like me. You've made that quite clear. I get it. Okay?"

"I don't not like you," Harry said before he could stop himself.

Hermione started to say something but suddenly Harry pulled her behind a cabin.

"What are you--?" she started to ask, but he put his hand over her mouth.

"I heard something..." he whispered, pulling her tight against him.

Ginny Weasley was walking toward the employee cabins and was humming to herself as she made her way along the path. Harry held Hermione praying that neither of them made a noise. The last thing he needed was Ginny blabbing about him being out with Hermione.

"Just stay quiet," he breathed, his lips touching her ear. "Just until she's gone..."

Hermione nodded wordlessly. At the moment, she could care less if this person took her sweet time getting to wherever it was she was going. Harry's breath was warm on her neck and she felt as if her insides were going haywire at being this close to him.

He unconsciously rubbed his hands over her back as he watched Ginny amble past them casually. Lord, Hermione smelled good- and having her body pressed against his wasn't doing much for his self control.

Hermione searched his face. He was looking at her like he had in the ballroom. "Is she gone?" she whispered.

"What?" he asked, shaking his head as if in a daze. "Um... yeah... she's gone."

"Did she see us?" Hermione asked. Harry was still holding on to her.

"I don't think so," Harry replied. "That's a good thing. Steer clear of her if you can."

"Okay," she said softly. "Harry, I--"

"What?" he asked just as softly.

"I'm sorry for getting angry before," Hermione said looking into his green eyes. "We've just been putting a lot of time and effort into this and I guess I just let it get to me..."

"It's okay," Harry replied. "I've been really tense lately- due to Cho being pregnant, and all this sneaking around... believe it or not, I'm really not such an arse... most of the time."

"I like the parts when you're not such an arse," she said grinning impishly at him.

Harry grinned back. "I'll be more patient from here on out okay?" he asked, feeling better than he had in ages.

"Okay," she said. "I could meet you in the studio after dinner, if you'd like. My cousin is going for a walk with that awful Draco Malfoy and I could just tell my parents I'm tagging along."

"That'll work," Harry said. "Gives us more time to get this down pat." he let her go but gripped her hand. "Come on, let me walk you back."

"I'd like that," Hermione said.

"Okay," Harry smiled, leading her away.

***

"I have to know," Hermione said to her husband. "Did you want to kiss me that night?"

"More than you know," Harry chuckled. "I had to stop myself every time I touched you."

"And it was you I pictured in my head when I was dancing with your cousin," Hermione admitted. "But you probably knew that already."

"I guessed," Harry kissed under her ear.

"You and your healthy ego," she said laughing.

"You're the one who keeps feeding it..." Harry said, kissing her neck this time.

"It is well-deserved," she said setting Saffron's letter aside so her hands would be free to explore. "I seem to remember a certain someone who was going to go play Quidditch with Ron and Neville...have those plans changed?"

"Quidditch?" Harry asked. "I know not of these plans... the only thing on my mind is my wife..."

"Good answer," she said moving closer to him. "How about we take this upstairs then?"

"One of these days I'm going to make you carry me," Harry teased, picking her up.

"You like doing this too much," she said laughing. "I don't want to deny you, Harry."

"I guess you're right," Harry gave her a full kiss.

"You guess?" she asked pulling away.

"You're right as always," Harry corrected, his eyes twinkling impishly.

"The magic words," Hermione said. "Come on, old man. Can't you go any faster?"

"Who are you calling old?" Harry squeezed her side with his fingers.

"You," she said giggling.

"Need I remind you that you're older than me?" Harry asked.

"Age is nothing but a number," she said hitting him on the back.

"Want me to drop you?" Harry asked.

"You wouldn't dare!" she challenged.

Harry let her slip before catching her again. "Oops," he teased.

"Not funny!" she said hitting again on the back. "You might not get any if you keep this up..."

"You can't resist me," Harry boasted.

"I think you have that the other way around," she said.

"Maybe we can't resist each other," Harry said, kicking the door open.

"That's probably true," she said before kissing him.

*** *** ***

"Good practise," RJ said approvingly to his team. "Saf I've never seen anyone catch the snitch so fast."

"What?" Saffron jumped as RJ's voice jerked her from her thoughts. "Oh... thanks."

"We don't have another match until after Christmas hols, RJ," Imelda said resting her broom on her shoulder. "Why did you want to---?"

"Imelda, remember what lesson number one was?" RJ asked impatiently.

"Never question the captain?" Imelda guessed.

"Right," RJ nodded. "And that's the most important rule."

Andrew snorted to keep back his laughter.

"Sorry," Imelda said quietly. "Won't happen again."

"Okay, we have a few minutes left," RJ said looking at his watch. "I think we should pair up---Imelda you can work with me....Saf, you go with Andrew---"

"What?" Saffron asked.

"Pair up with Andrew," RJ said, wishing he could send his friends a wicked grin. "We're going to scrimmage for a few minutes."

Saffron paled. "RJ, I really think---"

"Imelda, remind our dear Miss Potter what rule number one was," RJ interjected.

"There's no need," Saffron said glaring at him. "You know you really are on the biggest power trip I've ever seen."

"That's why I'm the captain," RJ said in an innocent tone.

"And a damn good captain at that," Andrew said, knowing what RJ was doing.

"Fine," Saffron said rolling her eyes. "I'll work with Andrew."

"It's not like I'm asking you for the moon," RJ teased.

Saffron wordlessly drifted past RJ and Andrew quickened his step to catch up to her. "So---what do you think we should work on first?" he asked conversationally.

"I don't know," she said, not really sure of what to say to him. Saffron was ashamed of the way she had been all over him a few nights ago and at the same time, hated and loved the way her body was reacting to his nearness.

Andrew smiled shyly at her. "I'm the one who needs all the work..."

"You don't need any work," she said. "You're a great Chaser, Andrew."

"I don't know about that," Andrew said shaking his head. "My head really wasn't in the practise today. I was thinking about---"

"We should really get up in the air," Saffron interrupted.

"We should talk about it," Andrew said putting his hand on her arm. "What happened between us..."

"There's nothing to talk about," she said softly.

"I know you're with that bloke," Andrew said. "But what if...what if he's not the one for you...."

"I'm only fifteen, I'm not going to find my life mate quite yet," Saffron couldn't meet his eyes.

"I know you felt something the other night," Andrew said softly.

"Don't," she said, finally looking up into his gaze.

"Don't what?" Andrew asked.

"Don't get so close," she said. "Andrew--"

"What are you afraid of?" he asked her softly.

"I'm not afraid of anything," Saffron crossed her arms. "I'm with Peter, all right? I can't do this to him."

He wanted to tell her that her loyalty was misplaced, but for some reason he couldn't bring himself to say the words. "I just want you to be happy, Saffron."

Why did he have to be so sweet, she wondered. "I'm all right," she said. "Thanks for being concerned but things couldn't be better lately." Saffron was lying through her teeth and she had the feeling Andrew knew it.

"Between you and Peter?" Andrew asked.

"Yes," Saffron tried to turn away.

"He makes you happy?" Andrew asked grabbing her arm.

"Why does it matter?" Saffron asked. "Yes!"

"Saffy!" someone called out from the distance. Andrew and Saffron both turned to see Peter walking toward them.

"Pete!" Saffron said pulling away from Andrew and bounding towards her boyfriend.

"How's my girl today?" Peter asked as she gave him a hug.

"Good," Saffron said. "We're just finishing up practise."

"I brought you some hot chocolate," Peter said handing her a thermos. He looked past his girlfriend to where Andrew Kirke stood watching them. "Hello, Kirke."

"Hi Peter," Andrew said politely. "How's everything?"

"Great now," Peter said giving Saffron a kiss that Andrew knew was meant for his benefit.

"Whoa..." Saffron blinked when they pulled apart. "Peter..."

"Come on, Saffy," Peter said winking at her. "I haven't seen you all day..."

"Maybe you should give her some warning before you do that," Andrew said before he could stop himself.

"And maybe YOU should mind your own business," Peter said coldly.

"It's fine," Saffron got between the two boys. "I was just surprised is all."

"I'll see you later, Saf," Andrew said wondering why someone so smart couldn't see through Peter.

"Bye," Saffron watched him head towards the locker rooms. She didn't notice Peter's glare in Andrew's direction. "Thanks for the hot chocolate- I thought you were tutoring late tonight."

"Change of plans," he said brushing a stray strand of hair behind her ear. "I've always liked your hair like this ....up and windblown..."

"I must look a fright," Saffron grinned at him.

"You always look beautiful to me," Peter said smiling back at her. "Come on. Let's go find an empty classroom or something..."

"For a little while," Saffron agreed. "But I've got a big exam tomorrow I have to study for."

Andrew turned and watched as Saffron took Peter's hand and they headed toward the castle.

"How'd it go?" RJ asked. "You can thank me later---"

"She doesn't see what a jerk he is," Andrew said.

"She won't unless you tell her," RJ said.

"How many times have you and Alexa said something," Andrew replied as they went into the locker room. "And if she doesn't believe you two then why the hell should she believe me?"

"Lex says that it's probably something she needs to see for herself," RJ said quietly.

"Obviously," Andrew kicked at his locker.

"He's going to screw up eventually," RJ tried to reassure his friend.

"I may as well just forget about her," Andrew said gloomily. "She's all but said that kissing me the other night was a big mistake."

"Did you see the look on her face when I suggested the two of you practising together?" RJ asked. "She's confused, mate. She doesn't know what to do. For some reason, she feels loyalty to this bloke. But she knows deep down that you're the right one for her."

"Whatever," Andrew tossed his gloves into the locker.

"You're coming home with me for the hols," RJ pointed out. "And you'll see her a lot more than Petey will."

"She'll probably avoid us like the plague," Andrew dressed in his jeans and shirt.

"She can't," RJ said his mind already thinking of ways to get them together.

"I've got a Divination exam tomorrow," Andrew said. "I've got to go predict 5 ways to die before nine am."

"Make a move on Harry Potter's baby daughter should be on the top of the list," RJ joked.

"Gee that's a comforting thought," Andrew said but it made him smile.

"Let's go raid the kitchens before we get started," RJ said. "I'm starving."

"Now that sounds like a plan," Andrew agreed. "Thanks for trying tonight RJ."

"No problem," RJ said with a grin. "You and Saf can name your firstborn after me."

"You wish," Andrew said. "I don't even like your name."

"I'm not too crazy about my middle name," RJ said his nose scrunching up in disgust.

"Bilius?" Andrew smirked. "I wouldn't like it that much either."

"I don't know what my Nana was thinking when she gave my dad that middle name," RJ said. "Then again, she also named my Aunt Ginny---Ginevra..."

"I didn't know you had an Aunt Ginny," Andrew said.

"Yeah we never hear from her," RJ replied.

"Why?" Andrew asked as they left the locker room.

"It's a long story, but the gist of it is that she married Draco Malfoy who is like public enemy number one in our family," RJ explained. "And she pretty much disowned all of us and my nana can't talk about her without crying. She hates Saffy's parents too...and she's Julie's mother-in-law."

"That's crazy," Andrew shook his head. "Makes my family sound simple."

"With the Weasleys and the Potters nothing is ever simple," RJ said. "You'll see that for yourself soon enough."

"My dad says he used to play Quidditch with Harry Potter," Andrew told RJ.

"That should give you some extra points then," RJ said. "Uncle Harry doesn't much care for Peter..."

"Man if he knew about Peter cheating on Saffy he'd have his head." Andrew replied.

"And then some," RJ agreed.

85. Ch 85

AN: Again thank you all so much for the reviews- and be sure to listen to the next Harmony Podcast by MisCard as we were both interviewed for it! It was a lot of fun and we can’t wait to hear how it turned out!

You get lots of the Hogwarts crew as well as what a lot of you have been asking for- more Drew and Darla! As always please let us know what you think!

In the time between Saffron and Andrew's kiss and them going home for the Christmas holiday, Saffron had devoted all her time to her studies, Quidditch, being a Prefect, and spending the rest of her free time with Peter. She hadn't really talked much to Andrew since that night, and her guilt made her ignore all the problems in her relationship with the Ravenclaw.

She wasn't looking forward to the train ride home because she knew Alexa and R.J. would probably want to share a compartment with Andrew. She made a vow to avoid him at all costs. It was better this way, even if she thought about him constantly.

"Saf?" Peter asked waving his hand in front of her face. "I asked if you wanted to try and find R.J. and Lex?"

"Oh," Saffron smiled lamely. "No, they're probably off snogging somewhere..."

"That sounds like a good idea," he said taking her hand and helping her on the train. "Sounds just like something I'd like to do."

"We should try and find our own compartment and lock it so no one can get in there," Saffron said as they wound past their fellow students.

To her dismay, as she and Peter turned the corner they bumped into Andrew, R.J. and Saffron.

"Hi Saffy," Alexa said brightly. "We were just looking for you."

"You were?" she asked, avoiding Andrew's look.

"We found a compartment," R.J. said noticing that Peter didn't look too happy to see them. "Why don't you two join us?"

"Actually," Andrew said. "I think I'm going to go and sit with Jason."

"But you don’t even---" R.J. started to say.

"I'll see you lot later," Andrew said abruptly, turning away without another word.

"Come on," Alexa said taking her friend's arm. "Let's go grab our seats before someone steals them."

"All right," Saffron agreed half heartedly, shooting Peter a look.

"We haven't seen much of you lately," R.J. said to Saffron. "At practises, you haven't really said more than two words. And you're eating meals at insane hours. You know, I might think you were avoiding something...or someone."

"I've been busy," Saffron retorted. "I am a Prefect you know, and I'm at the top of my class, where I intend to stay. And I have Quidditch."

"All work and no play," R.J. teased leading the way to the compartment. "Right Peter?"

"Sure," Peter replied, holding the door open for Saffron and Alexa.

"Have you any plans for the holidays Peter?" Alexa asked conversationally.

"Just doing things with my family," Peter laid his arm possessively around Saffron's shoulders as a few of her Quidditch team mates poked their heads in to say hello.

"Happy Christmas Saffy," Imelda said. "And thanks so much for the scarf!"

"You're welcome," Saffron smiled at her. "I'm really glad you like it."

"Melds you better practise your arse off during hols," R.J. lectured.

Saffron rolled her eyes. "Don't listen to him Imelda. Just have a good holiday. You too Tommy," she smiled at Tommy Sharpe, one of their beaters.

"Can you forget about Quidditch for at least two weeks?" Alexa asked resting her head on R.J.'s shoulder. "Think about hot chocolate and Christmas cookies and ice skating..."

"Snogging you under the mistletoe..." R.J. finished, giving her a kiss.

"You were with Christina Grant last Christmas, weren't you?" Peter asked.

R.J. gave Peter a look. "Yeah, what of it?"

Although Peter had no reason to be jealous of Andrew Kirke, he knew very well that the older boy fancied Saffron. Peter knew it was one-sided as over the past few weeks, Saffron couldn't have been more affectionate. And, to his delight, she'd spent all her free time with him. He knew, though, that nothing would please R.J. Weasley more than to have his best friend with Saffron.

Peter shrugged. "I've just heard things."

"Well whatever you heard it's probably not true," R.J. said irritably. "She and I have been over for almost a year now and everyone still bloody talks about it like we were together yesterday."

"I've just spoken to her a few times in the common room is all," Peter said. "I feel sorry for her."

"Why?" Saffron was giving him a curious look. "She's a horrid beast."

"She's not that bad," Peter said leaning back in his seat.

"You know how badly she's treated all of us," Saffron said frowning at him. "How could you talk to her?"

"All I said was she's not that bad," Peter shrugged.

"How about that blonde I saw you with this morning?" R.J. asked. "The one you were talking to out on the front steps?"

"Who?" Saffron asked her boyfriend, her eyebrow raised.

"Just a girl I've been tutoring," Peter replied. "And you can't seriously be getting angry with me after all the time you spend with other blokes."

"That would be her Quidditch team mates," R.J. interjected.

"And my fellow Prefects," Saffron reminded him with a frown. "Plus I never said I was angry about it, I just asked who it was."

"And I told you," Peter said coolly. "Look, I'm going to go and grab something from the cart. You want anything?"

"Whatever," Saffron turned away from him. "I'm really not hungry."

"Fine," Peter said walking out of the compartment in a huff.

"He's lucky I don't kick his arse," R.J. said quietly.

"It's fine," Saffron rubbed at her eyes. "We're just a bit snappish because we've both been so busy lately."

"I'm sure that's it," R.J. said. "And Saffy, I saw him with that girl and it didn't seem like they were talking about tutoring."

"It'll be fine R.J.," Saffron said. "Can I borrow one of your jumpers? One of the ones Nana Molly made for you?"

"Sure," R.J. replied. "Why?"

"I'm cold," Saffron said. "And Nana's jumpers are the best to snuggle up in when I want to take a kip."

R.J. reached into his bag and pulled out the maroon and gold jumper. "Here you go..."

"Thank you," she said, pulling it over her head. "You don't mind do you Lex?"

"Course not," Alexa said.

"I'll keep her warm," R.J. said putting his arm around Alexa.

Saffron smiled at them. "I still think the two of you are the cutest couple."

"I think we are too," R.J. said grinning at his girlfriend. "And her parents agreed to let her to come to the Burrow for Christmas dinner."

"I was scared they wouldn't after what happened," Alexa said softly.

"I'm sure they trust you," Saffron replied. "Now you just have to work on them to let you come over for New Year's Eve."

"I hope so," Alexa said. "This is our first Christmas together. Last year at this time, I was looking forward to helping my mum at the bakery."

"Are you working there again this year?" Saffron asked.

Alexa nodded. "Every year since I was able to see over the counter."

"My father told me to tell you he expects some more of that fudge," R.J. said to his girlfriend with a grin. "He's completely addicted."

"He should have some of my mum's white chocolate fudge," Alexa said.

"R.J., you should try some of it," Saffron said. "It's fantastic."

"I'll try anything she brings me," R.J. said licentiously.

Saffron shook her head and stretched out on the bench seat. "On that note, I think I'll take my kip now."

"Before old Petey comes back with another of his girlfriends?" R.J. couldn't resist asking.

Saffron opened her eyes and glared at him. "R.J., please don't start."

"Come on Saf- Andrew is so much better than that idiot," R.J. replied. "Even Lexie thinks so."

Saffron sat up and looked at her best friend. "Lex?"

Alexa glared at R.J.. "I never said that."

"Are you speaking for her now?" Saffron asked. "Look, R.J.. Andrew and I are never going to happen. I am with Peter and I'm very happy."

"Is that why you two are bickering constantly?" R.J. returned. "You snogged Andrew back that one night so it's not like everything's peachy with you and Petey."

"You don't know anything about my relationship with Peter," Saffron said hotly. "What happened with Andrew and me was a mistake. I was feeling sad about my grandfather and he..."

"He kissed you and you kissed him back," R.J. finished.

"He does like you a lot," Alexa added quietly. "But it's your decision Saffron, if you do decide somewhere down the road you like Andrew better. But if you stay with Peter, that's fine too. We won't make a fuss about it."

"You won't," R.J. said. "I think the guy's a wanker now that he's all good looking and all that rubbish. He's got a different girl on his arm every time we see him and I bet he's doing more than just tutor."

"That isn't true," Saffron said. "He fancies me, R.J.. And you're one to talk, after the way you were with Christina and the girls before her."

"I was never unfaithful to any of my girlfriends," R.J. retorted.

"I seem to remember you snogging me when you were still with the Wicked Witch of Ravenclaw," Saffron shot back.

"I had broken up with her," R.J. glared.

"Guys please," Alexa said looking back and forth between her boyfriend and her best friend. "Come on. R.J., this is Saffy's choice. As her friend, we have to respect her decision, even if you don't like it."

"Fine," R.J. grumbled. "But you're making a mistake in passing up on Andrew Saf."

"I'm going to go find Peter," Saffron said standing up.

"He's right out there," Alexa pointed.

"With not only a blonde, but a brunette as well," R.J. said sarcastically, watching as the girls flirted with Peter.

Saffron slowly walked over to the compartment door and slid it open.

"There's your girlfriend," the blonde girl whispered to Peter.

"Hey Saf," Peter gave her a smile as she stepped out. "I know you said you weren't hungry but I got you these anyway." he held up some pumpkin pasties.

"You said those were for me Petey," the blonde pouted.

"Well if you want one of them I'm sure it'd be fine," Peter said, coughing nervously. His eyes narrowed slightly as he looked at her. "Whose jumper is that?"

"R.J.'s," Saffron answered. "I was cold and he let me borrow it."

"I could have given you mine," Peter replied.

"You weren't in there," Saffron said. "I would have asked for yours, but you weren't there, Peter. It's not a big deal."

"You look better in blue," the brunette ran her hand down his arm and smiled at Peter.

"Peter," Saffron said trying not to get angry. "What's going on?"

"They're just some of the girls I tutor for extra credit," Peter told her. "This is Miranda and this is Jessie."

"Tutoring," Jessie said giggling. "Is that what we've done..."

"I beg your pardon?" Saffron folded her arms and glared at the girl.

"Come on Saffy," Peter said wrenching himself out of Jessie's grasp on his arm. "Let's go find a compartment of our own."

"Oh I don't know," Saffron said coolly. "Are you sure you don't want Miranda and Jessie to come along for more tutoring?"

"Saffy," Peter said smiling at her. "You're the only girl for me."

Something inside her softened and she smiled back. "Okay," she said, reaching for his hand.

Peter cupped her face in his hands and kissed her. "I love you, Saffy."

"Wh--what?" she stammered, pulling back.

"I love you," he repeated. "I've been wanting to tell you now for quite some time."

Saffron was about to respond when she noticed that Jessie and Miranda were hanging onto his every word. "Come on Pete," she muttered. "Let's go find a compartment."

"Okay," Peter said happily. "Come on then."

R.J. and Alexa watched them go. "She can't seriously have just bought that, Lex."

"It is none of our business," Alexa said as Jessie and Miranda walked away, giggling between themselves.

"Lexie," R.J. said. "She's your best friend. You don't care that she's being snowed by that arse?"

"Of course I care," Alexa replied, shutting the compartment door. "But Saffron's the only one who can make up her own mind. You know she doesn't normally take advice from anyone but her mother or her sister."

"Well remind me to have a few words with Aunt Hermione when we get home," R.J. said. "Saffy's going to be spending more time with Andrew anyway..."

"How?" Alexa asked. "She's avoided him, R.J.."

"He's staying at my house over the holidays," R.J. said mischievously.

"R.J.," Alexa sighed. "Promise me you'll stay out of Saffy's love life. She'll kill you if she knows you're trying to meddle."

"I'm not trying to meddle," R.J. said defensively. "I'm just pushing them together. There's a difference."

"She'd hex you into oblivion," Alexa said. "And you know it."

"Well, if I'm going to get hexed," R.J. said pulling her down on the seat. "How about you make my last minutes worthwhile?"

Alexa smiled at him. "We do have the compartment to ourselves now..."

"Aye we do," he said kissing her.

A few compartments away, Saffron Potter was tongue tied for the first time in her life. She knew Peter expected her to say she loved him back, but she wasn't sure if she did.

"Let's get you out of that jumper," Peter said tugging at it.

"Pete," Saffron pushed his hands away. "Don't, all right?"

"Come on Saffy," Peter said trying again. "You don't need this to keep you warm."

"Yes I do," she said, keeping the jumper pulled down.

Peter bit back his anger. Why did she insist on wearing R.J. Weasley's jumper? "I thought you wanted to snog, Saffy."

"I wanted to get you away from those two girls," Saffron frowned. "If they were any closer they'd be on top of you."

"And I told you they didn't mean anything," he said moving away from her. "What more do I have to do?"

Saffron ran her hands through her hair and sighed, looking out the window. "I don't know," she muttered.

"I can't help that these girls keep coming up to me," Peter said. "I don't want to be mean to them, Saffy. I just stand there and listen to them, but the whole time I'm thinking about being with you. I'd never do anything to hurt you."

This time Saffron let him put his arms around her and she leaned against him. "I'm sorry," she said.

"I'm the one who should be apologising," he said kissing her forehead. "My beautiful Saffron Grace."

Saffron closed her eyes as he trailed his lips down her cheek and kissed her neck.

"I love you," he whispered against her skin.

She didn't say anything- she didn't know what to say to that. She didn't want to lie and say she loved him back so she turned and pressed her lips to his instead.

Outside in the corridor, Andrew and Jason were looking for the sweets cart.

"Are you really going to spend the entire hols at R.J.'s?" Jason asked.

"Yeah my parents have to go out of town for business so I was going to just stay at school but then R.J. asked me to stay at his place." Andrew replied.

"His sisters are pretty hot," Jason commented. "You're a lucky bloke."

"That's just weird," Andrew replied, his eyebrow raised.

"They are," Jason said defensively. As they passed a compartment, Jason caught sight of a familiar couple. "And speaking of hot girls..."

"What?" Andrew turned and looked in the direction Jason was pointing. The smile dropped from his face and he felt like he'd been kicked in the gut.

"Looks like you're officially out of the running," Jason said patting his friend on the back.

"Sod off," Andrew shoved him away.

"There's plenty of other girls out there," Jason said shoving Andrew along.

"Yeah," he muttered. "I'm not really hungry anymore. I'm going back to the compartment."

When Peter snaked his hand underneath her jumper, Saffron stopped him. "Stop, Peter..."

"Come on," he said a bit impatiently. "Why are you being so prude all of a sudden? All week long you've practically been jumping on top of me."

Peter again tried to put his hands under her jumper and Saffron slapped them away. "I said stop it, Peter!"

He glared at her. "What the hell is your problem?"

"Forgive me for not wanting you to grope me here where anyone could walk by," Saffron said sarcastically.

"Well I'll shut the curtains," Peter said. "Problem solved."

"Problem not solved," Saffron said pushing him off of her. "Why can't we just talk instead?"

"Talk," Peter scoffed. "About what?"

"About your plans for the holiday," Saffron said thoughtfully. "What sorts of traditions does your family have? With mine, we always go over to my Gran's and...."

"What?" Peter asked as her eyes suddenly clouded over. "What's wrong?"

"You weren't even listening to me," she pointed out. "Because I don't want to fool around, it's like you wish you were somewhere else!"

"I was too listening!" he argued. "You looked upset so I asked what was wrong!"

Saffron softened. "It's just this is my first holiday without Grandpa and I'm...it's going to be hard for all of us."

"I'm sorry," Peter said in a gentler tone.

"I just keep remembering last year," Saffron said quietly. "When we went over to their house to put up the tree. I had no idea that was the last holiday I'd ever spend with him."

Peter rubbed her back comfortingly, wondering if this would lead back to what they were doing before.

"I really need you Peter," she said softly.

"I need you too," he said eagerly. "I love you Saffron." before she could react, he pulled her to him and kissed her again.

The kiss started out gentle, but it didn't take too look before Peter pushed her right back down on the seat.

"Peter," she said pushing on his chest. "Come on.."

"What?" he asked. "Saffron come on... we're not going to be able to see each other a lot over the next few weeks..."

"I know," she said. "But I was just talking to you about my grandfather and the next thing I know, we're right back to where we were before."

"You kissed me back," he pointed out.

"I know, but you..." Saffron started to explain, but she heard the door slide open. To her relief, Alexa was standing there.

"I, um, well I'm sorry to interrupt," Alexa said uncomfortably. "But Bobby Wagner came by looking for you. You were supposed to be patrolling the corridors."

"Right," Saffron pushed Peter away. "Thanks Lex. I'll go do that now."

Peter frowned. "When were you coming back?"

"I'll be back later," Saffron said, not looking at him.

Alexa followed her friend out. "Saffy, are you okay?"

"I don't know," Saffron confessed. "He's driving me mad Lex. I want to talk to him and all he does is try and grope me."

Alexa put an arm around her. "Saffy, he's changed quite a bit from how he used to be, hasn't he?"

"Yeah," Saffron said. "He used to be so polite and quiet and shy, but sweet. And now it's like all this attention from other girls has gone to his head. And he scares me- he's in there telling me he loves me and I don't love him Lex. Not like that! Not yet..."

"Do you think you ever will?" Alexa asked.

"Not if he keeps up this way," Saffron said, peering into a few compartments as they walked through the corridors.

"I don't think he's going to get any better," Alexa said biting her lip. "Saffy, R.J. and I have seen him with quite a few girls. And I don't think he's tutoring them."

"Do you think he's cheating on me?" Saffron asked her directly.

"I--I don't know for sure," Alexa answered honestly. "But I wouldn't be surprised if he was, Saffy."

Saffron sighed heavily. "When did fancying boys ever get this complicated?" she asked. "I mean... I guess I can't be angry at him if he was- I snogged with Andrew that one night. That would make me a big hypocrite."

"Maybe this few weeks apart will be good for you," Alexa said. "You'll be able to have some time on your own to think about what you really want and who you really want. And maybe Peter will do some thinking too."

"I guess," Saffron wasn't convinced. "Part of me just doesn't want a boyfriend at all right now. I have so much going on."

"You have to do what is best for you," Alexa said. "And I'll be by your side no matter what you decide. You can count on me, Saf. And R.J., too."

"Thanks," Saffron smiled at her. "I'm so glad you're my best friend Lex."

Alexa smiled back. "I'm so glad you're my best friend too."

"Want to help me finish my rounds?" Saffron asked.

"Can I take points from people?" Alexa asked with a giggle. "Give out detentions?"

Saffron laughed. "You wish."

"I'm thirsty for power," Alexa said glad to see her friend laughing again.

"I should let you polyjuice me sometime," Saffron teased. "Then you could get a taste."

"No one would ever buy me as you," Alexa said laughing. In a soft voice, she said "You...you shouldn't be doing that. 10 points from Slytherin."

Saffron laughed harder. "Come on Lex, I'll let you get a bit of practise in," she pointed to a compartment full of third years who were slinging spells back and forth.

"What should I say?" Alexa asked.

"Tell them if they don't stop with the magic, it'll be ten points from each of them." Saffron instructed. "And be forceful about it."

Alexa nodded and repeated under her breath what Saffron had just said. Her hands were shaking as she slid open the compartment door. The group of third-years stared at her.

"You lot!" Alexa said trying to imitate Saffron. "Stop with the magic or I'll take 10 points from each of you."

"And who are you?" a third-year boy asked cheekily.

"Your worst nightmare!" Alexa said shooting him a menacing look.

"You're not a prefect," one of them replied snidely.

"But I am," Saffron glared at them, her badge glinting. "And I'll take off an extra five points if you don't listen."

"We'll stop," a girl said putting her wand away. "We're sorry. We didn't know."

Saffron nodded and pulled on Alexa's arm. "Next time you'll wear my badge," she whispered.

"That was like the coolest thing ever," Alexa said once they were out in the corridor. "You were made for this job, Saffy."

"Imagine me as Head Girl," Saffron replied.

"You've got that in the bag," Alexa said loyally.

"I hope so," Saffron said fervently. They passed by another compartment and saw Andrew and Jason sitting inside with a few other people. "I feel bad for how I've been treating him," she said softly.

"He really fancies you Saffy," Alexa said thoughtfully. "And he's such a great guy."

Saffron pulled her friend into the loo and locked the door. "I've been thinking about him a lot lately," she whispered. "And sometimes, when I'm with Peter, I even pretend it's Andrew."

"Saffy..." Alexa said. "Don't you think that's..."

"So wrong," Saffron finished.

"Okay," Alexa said. "Let's think about this rationally. When you think about Peter, how do you feel Saffy?"

"Definitely not how I used to feel," Saffron replied. "I mean, I guess I still like him, but not how he's acting now. How he used to be when we first got together."

Alexa nodded. "And how do you feel about Andrew?"

Saffron bit her lower lip. "He was so sweet that night- talking to me about my grandpa... I really liked how he made me feel."

"And he makes you laugh..." Alexa prompted.

"Yeah," Saffron said with a smile. "He does."

"And he told R.J. that you were like no girl he's ever met in his entire life," Alexa confided.

"He did?" Saffron asked.

Alexa nodded. "He did."

"Wow," Saffron said, staring out the window at the passing scenery.

"There's...there's something else you should probably know too," Alexa said hesitantly.

"What?" Saffron looked back at her friend.

"Andrew's going be staying with R.J. the entire holiday," Alexa replied. "His parents are going to be away and R.J. didn't want him to be stuck at Hogwarts without anyone..."

"Oh boy," Saffron sighed. "This isn't going to be the easiest of holidays is it?" she asked with a rueful grin.

"Tell you what," Alexa said. "You can help me out at Mum's bakery, if you want. It could help keep your mind off of everything."

"That would be fun," Saffron agreed. "Just part of the time though. I'm actually looking forward to having nothing to do for a change."

"Well you can help out anytime you'd like," Alexa said grinning at her. "You know how much mum and dad like having you around."

"And maybe I can help convince them that you need to spend New Year's Eve with us." Saffron laughed.

"I hadn't thought about that!" Alexa said laughing too.

Nearly an hour later, the train finally arrived at Kings' Cross. Saffron knew she should find Peter to at least give him a proper goodbye, but she wasn't so sure she wanted to see him. Looking out the window, she smiled as she saw both her parents waiting for her with Elinore.

"I'll ring you tonight," Saffron said to Alexa. "Thanks for talking with me today."

"Tell your family hi for me," Alexa called after her friend.

"I will," Saffron called out as she bumped into someone. "Oops sorry..." she said, her smile fading as she saw who it was.

"Saffy," Peter said coolly.

"Hi Peter," Saffron folded her arms. "I guess this is goodbye for two weeks."

"You never came back," Peter said. "Where'd you go?"

"I had to make my rounds and then I was talking to Alexa," Saffron said.

"Oh," Peter said not looking convinced. "So, I guess this is goodbye for two weeks."

"Yeah," Saffron shrugged. "Have a nice holiday." she made no move to kiss him goodbye or even hug him.

"Petey," another one of his fan club sidled up. "You said you'd give me a proper goodbye once we got to King's Cross..."

Saffron rolled her eyes and shot her so called boyfriend a disgusted look before she slung her bag over her shoulder. Without looking back, she made her way through the crowd.

"Where is she?" Elinore asked Hermione.

"She should be getting off the train anytime now," Hermione replied, her eyes searching the crowd for her youngest daughter.

"There she is," Harry said as Saffron waved at them. There were tears in her eyes as she ran toward her grandmother.

"Hi Gran," she said, throwing her arms around Elinore. "I missed you!"

"I missed you too sweetheart," Elinore said hugging her back. "You've gotten even prettier since the last time I saw you."

"Thanks," Saffron brushed her tears out of her eyes. "Hi Mum, hi Dad..." she hugged her parents tightly.

"We've missed you so much," Hermione said. "The house has been too quiet."

"I'll make it good and noisy again I promise," Saffron smiled. "I'm so glad to be home!"

"We're glad to have you home," Harry said.

"How's your back, Saffy?" Hermione asked.

"Where's the bloke that did it," Harry said scanning the crowd. "I'd like to have a word or two."

"It's fine," Saffron assured them. "And Jules already scared the living daylights out of him Dad. It was great. You'd have been so proud."

"What did she do?" Elinore asked.

"She pulled him up for a demonstration in Defence class," Saffron replied. "And she goes on about how these spells she's going to use are so dangerous and all this other rubbish... and then she tells him that there's a good chance he'll wind up in the infirmary... and it was the way she said it- he got all pale and his stupid knobbly knees were knocking together and he almost passed out in front of everyone." Saffron grinned. "It was fabulous."

"That's my girl," Harry said proudly.

"I knew you'd be proud," Saffron said as they headed towards the exit. She passed by Peter with yet another girl and he tried to catch her attention but she ignored him.

"How are you doing Gran?" she asked turning her attention back to Elinore.

"I'm okay Saffy," Elinore smiled at her. "A bit emotional lately. Did you like the pictures I sent you?"

Saffron nodded and tried not to think about looking at them with Andrew. "It brought back some great memories Gran. Thank you for sending them."

"I'm glad," Elinore hugged her. "You meant so much to Robert."

"He meant so much to me too," Saffron said tearfully. "It's not right that he's not here too."

"This won't be an easy Christmas but we'll get through it," Hermione smoothed back her daughter's hair.

"Maddie and Ethan want to take you lot ice skating on the lake by the Burrow," Harry said. "I think they want you mostly for backup though, Saffron."

"I'd want her for backup too," Hermione teased. "Caroline, Emma, Mia, Katie, Ashley...."

"How are Mia and Katie getting along?" Saffron asked. "Jules told me at Caroline's birthday party things were a bit tense..."

"To say the least," Hermione said. "But Katie's at least making an effort for now."

"That's good," Saffron said. "I got all the kids some sweets from Honeydukes the last time we went to Hogsmeade."

"Did anyone mention sweets?" Ron asked grinning at the Potters. He was joined by R.J. and Andrew.

"Hello Ronald," Hermione said warmly. "R.J.."

"Hiya Aunt Hermione," R.J. said grinning at Saffron who had gone quite pale. "I'd like you to meet my best mate Andrew Kirke."

"Hello Andrew," Hermione smiled. "Lovely to meet you."

"Andrew Kirke?" Harry asked.

"Junior," Andrew said.

"Of course! How is your father doing?" Harry asked. "I haven't seen him in years."

"He's fine," Andrew replied. "He and Mum are out of town and R.J. invited me to spend the holidays here at his house."

"That's great," Harry said nodding. "We'll be seeing a great deal of each other. I imagine you and R.J. and Saffy will play a match or two."

"I'll be too busy Dad," Saffron chimed in. "I'm going to help Lex out and I want to spend as much time with Gran as I can."

"Oh come on Saf, you'll have time for a match on Christmas Day," R.J. said, grinning wickedly.

"No I won't," Saffron said through clenched teeth.

"Yes you will," R.J. said still grinning. "I'm sure Mrs. Granger would love to watch you fly. Wouldn't you?"

"You are a charmer just like your father," Elinore said chuckling.

Ron beamed. "I do try and pass my best genes down," he said.

"Don't encourage him Mum," Hermione said.

Saffron turned and her eyes met Andrew's. Butterflies exploded in her stomach as he gave her a slight smile.

"You shouldn't spend your entire holiday worrying about me," Elinore told Saffron. "I want you to have as much fun as you can with your friends."

"I was really sorry to hear about your husband, Dr. Granger," Andrew said sympathetically. "Saffron told me what a great man he was."

"Thank you Andrew," Elinore smiled at him. "That's very thoughtful of you to think about us."

Andrew nodded and Elinore engaged him in conversation about Hogwarts. Hermione walked over to her daughter. "Is that the boy you wrote me about?" she whispered so no one else could hear.

"Yeah," Saffron whispered. "And I really think I fancy him Mum. Peter's been a big jerk lately."

"I think one of our mother-daughter talks is in order when we get back to the house," Hermione said putting an arm around her. "Greta brought by some of the biscuits you like so much."

"Great," Saffron smiled at her mother. "You're the best."

Hermione smiled back. "And you are my sweet girl. Everything's going to be okay, Saffy."

"I bet you miss all the teenage angst don't you Mum," Saffron teased.

"I have enough angst going on with your father and Lavender," Hermione said laughing. "Your Aunt Lavender and Uncle Seamus arrived this morning and Harry's been giving her a hard time about this model she used to date way back when."

"When doesn't Dad give Aunt Lavender a hard time?" Saffron asked dryly.

"I heard that," Harry said turning his attention back to his wife and daughter. "And you should have met this bloke, Saffy. He was really deep. I mean deep."

"Dad stop," Saffron said with a giggle.

"Want to make a bet?" R.J. asked his friend as they watched Saffron laughing with her parents.

"What sort of bet?" Andrew asked.

"I just think by the end of the holiday, you and Saf will be together," R.J. said. "And Petey will be a distant memory."

"Yeah right," Andrew snorted. "You didn't see them sucking face on the train."

"Yes, well you didn't see him snogging that blonde when we were getting our stuff," R.J. said.

"I can't believe he'd cheat on her," Andrew shook his head in disgust.

"He's probably been doing it all along," R.J. said. "But I think you are still in with a chance, my friend. "

"We'll see," Andrew said non committally. "I'm not making any bets."

"Fair enough," R.J. said. "Come on Dad. We'd better get home."

"Sure," Ron replied. "Your mum's making dinner tonight."

"Brilliant," R.J. said grinning.

"We'd better get going too," Harry said.

"We'll see you in a few days," Ron replied.

"Happy Christmas Saffy," Andrew said walking over to her.

"Happy Christmas Andrew," she said softly, staring at him.

"I hope you will play a match or two with R.J. and me," he said echoing her tone. "And if you want to talk about your grandfather..."

"I'll make time," she said. "And thank you. That means a lot to me." she reached for his hand and squeezed it. "I think we have a lot to talk about, actually."

"I think so too," he said. "I'll um, see you later then?"

Saffron nodded. "See you later..."

Andrew exchanged polite goodbyes with her parents and Elinore before following Ron and R.J..

"What a nice, polite boy," Elinore said, following her granddaughter's glance.

"He is," Saffron said smiling.

"Come on," Harry lifted his daughter's trunk. "Let's get home."

*** *** ***

"This sure brings back memories," Seamus said to Harry. The two men were waiting for their wives who were still getting ready for the Ministry's annual Christmas ball. "I think that's one of life's greatest mysteries. Why does it take so bloody long for women to get ready for anything?"

"Tell me about it," Harry agreed. "And Hermione almost never takes this long- only when your wife is around." he teased.

"Early in our marriage, Lav and I used to share a bathroom," Seamus said. "Slowly but surely my things started disappearing until I had one shelf in one of the cabinets. Needless to say when we bought our new house, we both had our own bathrooms. I'm convinced she could live in hers and be a happy woman."

Harry laughed. "Good idea."

Saffron came downstairs carrying a bag. She was going to be staying over at Julie and Nick's tonight.

"Dad! You sure clean up nice. I almost didn't recognise you."

"Thanks Saf," Harry grinned at his daughter. "You all set for the evening?"

"Yes but I don't know why I can't just stay here by myself," Saffron replied.

"Because you promised Ashley and Katie you'd spend some time with them, remember?" Harry asked mussing her hair. "That's all the two of them have been able to talk about is how Aunt Saffy is going to stay with them tonight."

"They weren't arguing?" Seamus asked.

"I didn't say that," Harry said laughing. "They did argue over who was going to spend the most time with her."

"Right," Saffron put her bag over her shoulder.

"Behave yourself," Harry teased giving her a kiss on the cheek.

"You too," Saffron said walking toward the fireplace.

"I'll keep an eye on him," Seamus joked.

"Oh and Mum said that she and Aunt Lav would be right down," Saffron said as she grabbed some floo powder. "Of course, I wouldn't count on that."

"Not where your aunt Lav is concerned," Harry replied.

"I can't believe she's already 15," Seamus commented after Saffron left. "It seems like just yesterday, Hermione was pregnant with her."

"I know," Harry shook his head. "And she's dating..."

"Not going to go all Neville on us are you?" Seamus asked.

"If I do, you have permission to hex me," Harry laughed. "No I'm not that bad. But Saffy's my baby and it's hard for me to see her grow up."

"I can certainly understand that," Seamus said. He looked at the clock on the mantle and sighed. "Lavender! Would you hurry the hell up? We're going to be late!"

"We'll be down in a minute Seamus!" Lavender yelled back impatiently.

"When you say a minute," Seamus called back. "Do you mean a minute in the ordinary, normal sense of the word or are we operating on Lavender Standard Time?"

Hermione laughed. "You know her too well!"

"He has no concept of what it takes to be beautiful," Lavender said checking her reflection in the mirror one more time. She looked at her cousin who was wearing a gorgeous emerald green ball gown. "If I do say so myself, you look fantastic in that Lavender Brown Finnigan original."

"I can't imagine anyone looking bad in your clothes Lav," Hermione replied.

"I could even make that hag Ginny Malfoy look presentable," Lavender said wickedly.

"And that's really saying something," Hermione shook her head. "All right- shall we head out?"

"Let's go and turn some heads," Lavender said grinning at her cousin.

"Especially our husbands'," Hermione laughed.

Hermione and Lavender walked out of the bedroom and down the corridor toward the staircase. Their husbands were standing at the foot of the stairs with their backs to the women.

"Do you ever notice how long it takes them to go to the loo?" Seamus asked Harry.

Harry nodded. "Or why they can never go to the bathroom without another woman going with them. I have never understood that one!"

"Are you both still complaining?" Lavender asked haughtily. "I think Hermione and I should just go pick up two guys who won't complain so much."

Seamus and Harry sheepishly turned around.

"Maybe you could get Marcus the Model back?" Harry asked teasingly. "Or is he off heading up some brain trust? Or is he contemplating the meaning of life?"

"Sod off," Lavender frowned at him. "You never change Harry."

"And neither do you," Harry said smiling at her.

"Maybe we should find old Marcus and introduce him to Summer," Seamus teased his wife.

"She is such an airhead," Lavender rolled her eyes.

Hermione knew Harry was about to say something smart in response. Heading him off, she took his hand. "Shall we go then?"

"Sure," Harry smiled at her. "You look stunning, by the way."

"The colour kind of reminds me of someone's eyes," Hermione said leaning forward to kiss his cheek.

Harry turned so she'd kiss him on the lips instead. "I wonder who that could be..."

"Come on rabbits," Lavender said pulling them apart. "We have to get going. We don't want to be late."

"We'll continue this later," Harry whispered in her ear as he helped his wife with her cloak.

Meanwhile at the Ministry's ballroom, the festivities were well underway. Neville and Cho arrived with Ron and Luna.

"How many of these have we gone to now?" Ron asked his wife.

"Quite a few," Luna replied. "Maddie was really excited about this, you know. This is her first one."

"Are Drew and Darla coming?" Cho asked them.

Ron nodded. "I can't tell you how good it is to have all my girls close like this."

Luna smiled and leaned against him. "They're so happy to spend time with you too."

After all that had happened with Drew, it was great to see her finally becoming more like her old self again. Her smiles didn't seem forced anymore and she genuinely seemed ready to start her life over.

"I heard that Caroline, Mia and Katie started dance lessons," Luna said conversationally to Cho.

"Heard?" Ron chortled. "That's all Caroline can talk about. Well that and her Uncle Will."

"It's so sweet that she fancies him," Luna said. "And he's wonderful with her."

"And little Emma," Neville said laughing. "You heard about the story she tried to tell me, didn't you?"

"No," Ron chortled. "What was it?"

"Basically it was about me being this mean King who couldn't understand about his daughter the princess falling in love with the handsome prince."

"That sounds about right," Ron said smugly. "She obviously left out the part about me being the handsome, taller, nicer King, of course, but I'll have to remind her all about that next time I see her."

"You don't want to scar her for life do you?" Neville retorted playfully.

"Well, in that particular story, I was the nicer King," Ron pointed out.

"Ronald, you do realise we're not royalty," Luna chimed in. "Right?"

"Of course we are," Ron said with a saucy grin. "Weasley is our King..."

"My favourite song!" Neville exclaimed. "Let's see if I remember it...Weasley cannot save a thing. He cannot block a single ring..."

Ron scowled. "I won the Quidditch Cup thank you."

"I used to love watching him fly," Luna said dreamily. "And he'd get so nervous and he'd have this really dazed expression on his face...."

"Because he was really thinking about what was for dinner that night," Neville interjected.

"I was thinking that there was a hot blonde in a lion's hat watching me fly," Ron said winking at his wife.

"Good answer," Luna gave him a kiss. "Oh Ronald- the girls are here!"

Ron turned to see his three daughters coming toward them with Ethan. Drew was wearing an ivory-coloured floor-length ball gown. Her hair was swept up in an elegant twist. Darla's strapless ball gown was royal blue and showed off her svelte figure. And Maddie looked positively radiant on the arm of her boyfriend.

"Have I told you that you look absolutely gorgeous tonight?" Ethan murmured in his girlfriend's ear. Maddie's ball gown was a shimmering baby blue, and she'd pinned up half her hair and left the rest flowing down her back in spiralling curls.

"Yes, but I don't mind hearing it again," Maddie whispered back.

"I'm not going to be able to let you out of my sight," Ethan's hand rested on her waist. "Some other bloke might come and try to snag you up."

Maddie giggled. "I'm already taken so those blokes are out of luck."

Drew looked around at the crowd of people and fought the urge to go running back up the stairs.

"Dar," Drew whispered. "Maybe this wasn't such a good idea."

"Why?" Darla put a hand on her sister's arm.

"I just didn't realise there'd be so many people here," Drew replied.

"Come on," Darla said reassuringly. "We're going to have loads of fun here tonight Drew. And who knows, you might even meet a nice guy."

"Not likely," Drew said shaking her head.

"There's Mum and Dad!" Maddie said nudging Drew. "Come on..."

"You three look beautiful," Ron beamed with pride at his daughters.

"Thanks Dad," Drew said giving him a hug.

"Mum, you look amazing," Darla said beaming at Luna.

"Thank you love," Luna kissed her daughter's cheek. "We're so glad you decided to come tonight."

"Me too," Darla said sharing a look with her twin.

"Ethan," Neville said grinning at him. "I saw Justin awhile ago. He was with his fiancée Sarah and they were talking in the strangest language..."

Ethan shook his head. "That's their baby talk they do... it's really disgusting."

"I think I might have to bring this up at the next briefing," Neville said mischievously.

Ethan laughed. "I think you should."

"Oh no," Maddie groaned catching sight of a familiar dark-haired woman working her way through the crowd. "I had no idea she was going to be here!"

"Who?" Neville turned. "Is that Parvati Patil?"

"Ron Ron!" Parvati exclaimed excitedly. "I thought I saw you!"

Drew looked at Darla and mouthed the words "Ron Ron". Darla just shrugged.

"Hello Parvati," Ron said guardedly.

"Hello Loo---I mean Luna," Parvati said smiling at the blonde. Her attention turned to Cho and Neville. "Cho Chang! I haven't seen you in ages. How are you?"

"Good," Cho smiled politely. "It's nice to see you again Parvati."

"And who's this handsome bloke?" Parvati asked grinning flirtatiously at Neville.

"Oh you remember Neville don't you?" Cho asked. "Neville Longbottom? He's my husband."

"Am I that different?" Neville asked with a laugh.

Parvati looked at Cho as if she'd suddenly sprouted another head. "You married Neville Longbottom? Come on, Cho! You were one of the prettiest, most popular girls in the entire school. I remember Neville Longbottom and he most certainly never looked like that!"

The smile on Cho's face flickered as Neville's grin turned into a frown. "I know who I married," she said in a cooler tone. "And yes, this is Neville."

"You certainly have changed," Parvati said stepping closer for a better look. "And for the better, I must say."

"Thanks I think," Neville backed away. "Cho- how about we go get a drink?"

"I'd say that was an excellent idea," Cho said glaring at Parvati as she and Neville walked away.

"Madeline," Parvati said smiling at the younger woman. "You look lovely as always. You have that same natural look as your mother. Not too many women can pull that off, you know."

"Thank you," Maddie replied in a polite tone. "You look nice too."

"I made this myself," Parvati said proudly doing a little spin.

"We would have been here sooner, but Lavender held us up as always," Harry said coming up to join the group with Hermione, Seamus and Lavender in tow.

"Harry!" Parvati exclaimed embracing him.

"Hi..." Harry said. "Parvati?"

She beamed at him. "Of course! I've been meaning to come and visit with you, but I've been busy trying to straighten out my department."

"It's uh... nice to see you again," Harry cast a glance at his wife. "Been awhile..."

"Yes it has!" Parvati said still holding on to Harry. "And this must be your wife. It's nice to meet you, Minister."

"Likewise," Hermione replied, moving closer to her husband.

"Who is this person?" Lavender whispered to Seamus.

"Parvati Patil," Seamus whispered back. "We used to go to school with her. If you want reference- she's a lot like Summer, only she can be vicious when provoked."

"Ever since I came back, I've been hit by all these surprises," Parvati said. "You and Ron Ron are grandfathers! And Cho Chang married that nebbish Neville Longbottom! Can you believe that?"

"Well... it's been quite a long time..." Harry disentangled himself from Parvati's grip as her eyes landed on Seamus.

"Seamus?" Parvati asked uncertainly. "Is that really you?"

"Hey," Seamus smiled at her. "Yup, really me."

"And I'm really his wife," Lavender said stepping in front of Parvati before she could hug Seamus. "Lavender Finnigan."

"Seamus YOU got married?" Parvati laughed. "Remember our last year at Hogwarts when we dated? You said you weren't getting married!"

"Things change," Seamus said with a nervous laugh.

"You dated?" Lavender asked turning to look at her husband. "You dated---"

"Did we date!" Parvati asked laughing. "We did a lot more than date!"

"Really," Lavender said, her voice becoming icy.

"We didn't date that long," Seamus said hastily.

"Friends with benefits," Parvati said with a wink.

"I wouldn't say that," Seamus said quietly.

"He helped mend my broken heart after Ron Ron trampled all over it," Parvati said in a baby voice.

"I'm sure you were so hurt," Lavender deadpanned.

"Oooh!" Parvati said ignoring Lavender. "I love this song! Come on, Seamus!"

Before Lavender or anyone else could do anything, Parvati grabbed Seamus' hand and led him away.

"I," Lavender said slowly. "Hate. That. Woman."

"Join the club," Maddie said darkly. "She's making everyone down in my department completely mad."

"Ron Ron?" Darla asked her father. "Care to explain?"

"Not really," Ron replied.

"Did everyone in Gryffindor date her?" Ethan asked Harry. "Sounds like she made her way around."

"She did," Harry replied. "Come on, let's go dance or go get something to eat. I don't want to spend the party talking about Parvati."

"I vote for dancing," Hermione said grinning at him.

"Works for me," Harry kissed his wife and led her onto the ballroom floor.

"I vote for eating, then dancing," Ron said.

Ethan laughed. "Save some for me. Mads, I'll be right back. I just want to have a quick word with Justin."

"Don't be gone too long," Maddie smiled at him. "I want to dance with you."

Ethan gave her a kiss before walking away.

"Where are my handsome brothers tonight?" Darla asked sitting down beside Ron.

"Josh and Lizzy aren't coming," Ron said. "And Jon and Allie will be by later."

"I can't wait to catch up with them," Darla said. "I haven't been able to see them as much with how busy we've been with the move."

"And how about the youngest Weasley?" Drew asked.

"He's out with Alexa tonight," Luna replied.

"It's hard for me to think of little Junior dating," Drew said. "To me he's always going to be that little boy who used to follow Maddie around."

"I don't know what your mother's going to do when he moves out," Ron joked.

"He's my baby," Luna said defensively.

"And what about you Mads," Drew turned to her baby sister with a smile. "When's Ethan going to propose already?"

"I don't know," Maddie said blushing. "We've both been so busy lately. It will happen when the time's right. And you all will be the first to know."

A young man with dark hair tapped Drew on the shoulder. "Pardon me, but would you fancy a dance?"

"You want to dance with me?" Drew asked in surprise before she could stop herself.

He smiled at her. "I'd like that very much indeed. What do you say?"

"Um...." Drew tried frantically to come up with a reason why she couldn't dance but was unable to. "All right..." she smiled tentatively. "Thank you."

"The pleasure's all mine," he said offering her his hand.

Darla grinned as her twin was led off to the dance floor. "I knew someone would ask her to dance." she said happily.

"How's she doing?" Luna asked.

"She's better Mum," Darla replied. "The day we left Ireland for good was hard for her but I think she's going to be all right."

"You didn't tell me your name," Drew said smiling nervously at her dance partner.

"Brian McGregor," he replied smiling down at her.

"Drew Weasley," she introduced herself.

"I remember you," he said. "We were at Hogwarts together. You were in Gryffindor and I was in Ravenclaw. We had Care of Magical Creatures together."

"I thought you looked somewhat familiar," Drew said, feeling more at ease. "What do you do now?"

"I actually work in the Misuse of Muggle Artefacts department," Brian replied. "In fact, I worked with your grandfather the last year before he retired."

"That's fantastic," Drew smiled at him. "That's a really neat department."

"And what about you?" Brian asked. "Last time I spoke with your grandfather, he said you and your sister were coordinating weddings?"

"That's right," Drew said, amazed that this guy knew so much about her.

Brian dipped her causing Drew to giggle. "I always wanted to do that!"

"She's having fun," Darla said in delight. "Look at her!"

"I don't know who that bloke is but if he can get my Drew to smile like that," Ron said grinning at Luna. "He's okay with me."

Maddie smiled. "I get the feeling that she's going to be very happy again soon..." she said softly.

"Did you have a vision?" Luna asked.

"No," Maddie replied. "Just something I can sense when I'm connected to someone," she explained as Ethan sat back down next to her.

"Uncle Seamus still not back, Aunt Lav?" Ethan asked.

"No," Lavender glared at the dance floor. "And if he doesn't come back soon he's sleeping alone tonight."

"I can't believe you ever went out with that woman Dad," Darla said looking at her father.

"I was a stupid teenager," Ron replied defensively.

"And he never dances!" Lavender suddenly erupted. "He never dances! I practically have to beg him to dance with me and he lets that evil woman drag him off!"

"He was probably just trying to be nice," Ethan said.

Out on the dance floor, the song came to an end and Brian took Drew's hand to lead her back to her table.

Another couple were breezing past them and Drew wouldn't have noticed if she hadn't heard the woman call out the man's name.

“Paul!"

Drew froze. "Oh no," she whispered.

86. Chapter 86


Authors' note: Thanks guys for the responses! We both appreciate it. And please be patient with me (Amy) as Heaven is on vacation and I'm in charge of updating the story and responding to reviews until she gets back. It's a lot easier when the two of us handle that together. So please be patient with me! And for those of you who haven't, please check out Miscard's Harmony Podcast. Miscard has done an amazing job on it and she should be commended for all the hard work she puts into that—blood, sweat and tears.

Brian felt Drew tense up beside him. "What's wrong?" he asked.

"Nothing," she said. "I just um... I need to talk to my sister."

"Okay," Brian said. "We can go--"

"Drew?" Paul asked stopping in his tracks.

Drew bit her lower lip. "Hello Paul," she said softly.

"What---what are you doing in London?" he asked quietly.

"I live here now," Drew said, crossing her arms over her chest.

"And...and the baby?" he asked, his voice barely above a whisper.

"Don't," Drew said sharply. "I know you don't care."

"It's my kid too," Paul said angrily. "What did you have?"

"I didn't," Drew said, tears filling her eyes. "Okay? I miscarried. Is that what you wanted to hear, you bastard?"

"You don't have to lie, Drew," Paul shot back. "You know I'm not going to take it from you or anything..."

"Why would I lie?" Drew asked, her voice shaking.

"You're still mad that I didn't want to get married," Paul replied as if the answer should have been obvious. "So you're trying to get back at me."

Darla turned around to see if Drew was still dancing. "Oh no...."

Ron followed Darla's gaze and his face tightened. "That wanker," he said angrily, getting up.

"I don't want to marry you," Drew said coldly. "And I would NEVER, EVER use a child to get back at you."

"Paul, who is this?" his date asked draping an arm over his shoulder.

"No one," Paul said looking right at Drew. "No one at all."

Drew laughed harshly. "Was that supposed to hurt my feelings?" she asked sarcastically.

"Look," Paul said getting in her face. "You and I didn't work out. It happens. You need to move on, Drew."

"Mate, I think you need to back off," Brian said shoving Paul. "Leave the lady alone."

"And who the hell are you?" Paul retorted.

"Drew," Ron said putting a hand on his daughter's arm. "Are you okay?"

"Mr. Weasley," Paul said reverting back to his charm mode. "Long time, no see."

"Back off," Ron said, glaring at the young man. "I know how you got my daughter pregnant and left her. And before you learn what my fist will do to your face, you'd best walk away."

"I don't know what Drew's told you," Paul said. "But I think you need to remember there are two sides to the story. All I wanted to know was what she had and she throws this lie at me. I'm not going to try and take her kid, okay? I just wanted to know."

Ron's fist clenched as Drew scoffed. "Do you think I'd lie about having a miscarriage you idiot?" she asked, tears welling in her eyes as Darla came up beside her. "Do you have any idea how bloody scared I was lying in the hospital and what it felt like when they told me that my baby was dead?"

Paul stared at her. "You---you're not lying?"

"No, she's not you wanker!" Darla glared fiercely at him.

"Drew---" Paul said reaching out for her arm.

"Now you care?" Ron asked looking murderously at him.

"Look--" Paul began.

"Just walk away," Drew said. "I don't want your sympathy."

Paul nodded wordlessly and finally followed his date off the dance floor.

"Come on I'll get you a glass of water," Darla held her sister's hand. "Let's go sit down okay?"

"Okay," Drew said. Her eyes fell on Brian who was still standing beside her father. "Brian, I'm sorry you had to see that."

"I had no idea Drew," Brian said. "I'm so sorry about your loss." the sympathy in his eyes was sincere.

"You weren't to know," Drew said softly.

"Is there anything I can do to help?" he asked, sitting next to her.

She shook her head. Ron walked over and knelt down in front of his daughter. He handed her a handkerchief. "I'm so proud of you, Drew."

"Thanks Dad," she managed a shaky smile.

"I never could stand to see you cry," Ron said, his own voice catching in his throat.

"I know," she whispered. "I'll be okay I promise."

Ron tilted her chin up so she'd look at him. "Of that I have no doubt. My Drew is a smart, strong woman."

"I'm trying to be," she said, taking a sip of the water her twin brought over.

"I just wish I could have done something more to protect you," Ron said guiltily.

"We know, Dad," Darla said.

"I just want to have a good time tonight," Drew said, setting the glass down. "I don't want to let Paul Davies ruin my evening."

"How about another dance?" Brian suggested.

"Sure," Drew said. "I am sorry about all that, Brian. I hope I didn't scare you off."

"I wasn't in Gryffindor, but I'd like to think I'm brave enough not to let a wanker ex-boyfriend scare me off," Brian said smiling at her.

"I don't know who you are, but I like you," Ron said shaking his hand.

Brian grinned. "Brian McGregor. Pleasure to meet you."

"Go dance with my daughter," Ron ordered.

"Dad!" Drew said blushing.

"Go have some fun," Darla grinned at her.

"Okay," Drew said smiling at her sister. "I think I will."

Out on the dance floor, Harry and Hermione were oblivious to all that was going on around them.

"It's really cold this time of year, isn't it," Harry commented.

"And getting colder," Hermione moved closer to him. "Mmmm… I love dancing with you. It never gets old."

"No, it doesn't," he said holding her close. "I was planning on waiting until Christmas, but I wanted to ask you how you'd feel about something..."

"What's that?" she asked, her eyes closed as she leaned against him.

"I have some time off after the first of the year," Harry said. "And Saffy will be back at school, and I was thinking perhaps we could go back to the Swan Islands...."

"A second honeymoon?" Hermione asked with a smile.

"Exactly," he said. "What do you think? Do-able?"

"Very," Hermione replied, kissing him. "I already can't wait."

"I think you'll like some of the things I bought you for Christmas then," Harry said with a glint in his eyes.

"Give me a hint," Hermione said with a laugh.

"Well," Harry said thoughtfully. "Some of these things will come in really handy when we're on the islands."

"Oooh," Hermione wound her arms around his neck. "I love your way of thinking Potter..."

"So you think the Ministry can do without you just this once?" he asked.

"They've done without me before," Hermione replied. "I have no problems leaving Samuel in charge..."

"Two weeks," he said giving her a kiss. "No work, no responsibilities. Just you and me."

"Just you and me..." Hermione echoed dreamily.

*** *** ***

Ethan was heading out for the day when he stopped by his father's office. "Hey Dad," he knocked on the doorframe. "Spare a minute?"

"Always," Harry said smiling at him. "What's on your mind?"

"Well," Ethan sat down on the sofa. "I want to get Maddie something for Christmas, and I wondered if you, Mum and Saffy would mind keeping it for me until then."

"Sure," Harry said with a shrug, thinking it was a necklace or even a ring that he didn't want Maddie finding.

"Well the thing is, I want to get her a Cornish Pixie," Ethan revealed with a grin.

Harry chuckled. "Ethan James..."

"I know, but she still talks about Dolly all the time," Ethan replied. "And I thought she'd really like having another one."

"It's a thoughtful gift son, but you do remember how Dolly was a bit of a loose cannon," Harry said. "You remember what she did to Ron's old Cannons shirt, right?"

"Who could forget?" Ethan asked. "But Maddie handled her pretty well- and Dolly adored her."

"That's true," Harry said. "So have you....bought the pixie yet?"

"Not yet." Ethan replied. "I wanted to see if you'd be able to keep it for me first. There's one at this shop near Knockturn Alley that has one- looks just like Dolly."

"I think it will be okay with your mum and Saffy," Harry said. "We'd be happy to keep it for you, Ethan."

"That's fantastic Dad," Ethan replied. "Thanks- I'll go get it and bring it by in an hour or so."

Harry wondered what mess he was getting his family into when he agreed to Ethan's request. But, it was only going to be for a few days. He arrived home after finishing up his paperwork to find Saffron baking biscuits in the kitchen. She hadn't inherited her mother's bad cooking skills and had learned quite a bit from Greta.

"Hi, Daddy," she said smiling up at him. "I didn't hear you come in."

"Hello, sweetheart," Harry grinned back. "What are you making?"

"Chocolate chip," Saffron replied. "And I just finished with some gingersnaps. Greta's recipes."

"It sure smells fantastic," Harry replied. "Can't wait to sample."

Saffron smiled. In the distance, they both heard a door slam. "Aunt Lav," Saffron said rolling her eyes. "She's still not talking to Uncle Seamus."

"What- over him dancing with Parvati?" Harry shook his head. "Ever the drama queen," he muttered, setting his briefcase on the counter.

"It gets better," Saffron said. "Miss Patil apparently sent him a gift basket to thank him for spending time with her at the ball. Aunt Lav practically turned purple she was so angry."

"Why didn't Seamus just chuck it then?" Harry asked, looking through the post.

"Well it was a little hard to do when she threw it against the wall," Saffron said. "Mum came home about an hour ago and she's gone upstairs to take a kip. I think she put a silencing charm on the bedroom so she wouldn't have to hear it."

"Ethan's coming by in a half hour," Harry told her. "He's buying Maddie a Cornish Pixie for Christmas and we're keeping it here until he gives it to her."

"Cool," Saffron said. "It will be like having the dog I always wanted and you never gave me."

"You're not home to take care of a dog," Harry reminded her. "Once you're out of school, then we'll talk."

"You're here," Saffron pointed out. "And you could watch out for it while I was away at school."

"Saffy, I'm not home often enough to take care of a dog, especially to train it." Harry replied firmly.

"You're home enough," Saffron said. When she saw the look on her father's face, she decided to drop it. "Okay, okay. When I am out of Hogwarts, I'm going to have two dogs."

"You can have whatever you want; especially once you've got your own place." Harry replied.

"So, I suppose while you're off at work, I get to baby sit the pixie then?" Saffron asked.

"If you don't mind," Harry replied. "You won't have to do a lot- just feed it. I know your brother would appreciate it."

"Fine," Saffron said with a sigh. "I'll just pretend it's a dog."

"Thank you," Harry grinned as he heard the fireplace in the sitting room whoosh. "That's probably him now."

"I bet if Ethan wanted a dog, he'd have gotten one," Saffron said under her breath.

"Enough," Harry said firmly.

"Here it is," Ethan said, holding a large black cage in his arms. "Thanks again, Dad. Hey Saf." he grinned at his sister.

"Hello, Golden Boy," Saffron said returning her attention back to the cookie dough.

"What?" Ethan was confused. "What are you talking about?"

"Nothing," Saffron said glaring at her father's back.

"It certainly does bear a remarkable resemblance to Dolly," Harry said stepping closer to get a better look.

"Even has the little red markings," Ethan said in satisfaction. "I can't wait until she sees it."

"She's going to love it," Harry said taking the cage from Ethan and setting it on the counter.

"Wonder what she'll name it?" Saffron wondered aloud.

"Probably Dolly," Ethan laughed.

"Okay you little devil," Saffron said peering into the cage. "I'm going to be taking care of you the next few days...."

"Thanks Saf," Ethan chucked her under the chin. "I owe you one."

"Do you remember where Mum and Dad hide the presents?" Saffron whispered.

Ethan chuckled. "Try the hidden shelf in the hall closet. That's where they used to put them," he whispered back. Straightening back up, he looked over at his father. "Hey Dad- can I have a quick word? In private?"

"Sure," Harry said setting the post aside.

Ethan followed his father into the downstairs office and closed the door behind them. "I want to ask you something... it might be a little personal."

"Okay," Harry said slowly. "Shoot."

"How... how did you know you were ready to marry Mum?" Ethan asked in a rush.

Harry smiled. "I had a feeling that was this was about." He sat down on the sofa. "Well, I don't know if I can pinpoint the exact moment I knew, Ethan."

"It's just that I've been thinking a lot about proposing lately and I don't really know what I'm waiting for. I love Maddie and I know someday that I'll make her my wife." Ethan ran a hand through his messy hair.

"You sound just like me," Harry said. "All those years ago knowing I was going to ask her, but waiting for that moment. The right time, the perfect moment."

"I was thinking New Year's," Ethan replied.

"Have you bought the ring yet?" Harry asked.

Ethan shook his head. "I wanted to ask Jules to help me find a nice one."

"She'll be a better help to you than Neville was to me," Harry said.

Ethan smiled. "Makes me nervous a bit... getting married."

"It is a big step," Harry said nodding. "And I felt the same way, you know."

"Scared as hell?" Ethan asked.

"Very," Harry said. "I spoke with your grandfather to get his approval before I did it. That was the scariest part."

"Maybe I'll go talk to Uncle Ron," Ethan mused. "Thanks Dad. I have a few ideas now."

"Good luck son," Harry said. He and Ethan walked back toward the kitchen and heard Saffron cry out in pain.

"Saffy?" Harry rushed into the kitchen. "What's wrong? Did you burn yourself?"

"No," Saffron said covering her finger with a dish towel. "I was thinking the pixie might be hungry so I put some cookie dough on my finger and stuck it in the cage. It nearly bit my finger off!"

"Shite," Ethan sighed. "Figures I had to get a nasty one." he peered into the cage.

"Let me see," Harry said walking over to Saffron. He pulled back the dish towel.

"I'll get a bandage," Ethan said, reaching up into the cupboard. "How bad is it?"

"Bad," Saffron said wincing.

"Something smells delicious," Hermione said coming into the kitchen. She saw the blood on the dish towel and saw Saffron's face contorted in pain. "What on earth is going on?"

"Um..." Ethan began. "I bought a Cornish Pixie for Maddie and Saffy was trying to feed it and it bit her."

Hermione looked at the cage on the counter and saw the Cornish Pixie looking innocently at her. Shaking her head, she walked over to Saffron. "Keep applying pressure to it, Saffy."

"I will," Saffron said, biting her lower lip. "Stupid pixie..."

"You'll still keep it won't you?" Ethan asked. "I'm sure it's just because he's probably not used to being in a new place. It was probably an isolated incident."

"We'll still keep it," Harry replied. "I'll feed it."

"There you go, Golden Boy," Saffron said sarcastically.

"I'm really sorry, Saffy," Ethan said contritely.

"I'll put some salve on that," Hermione said walking over to the cabinet. "It doesn't look to be too deep a wound."

"I hope not," Saffron said. "I'm sorry I snapped at you, Ethan."

"It's okay," he said mussing her hair. "I am sorry he bit you, Saf. Really."

"It'll be all right," she smiled grudgingly at him.

"It certainly looks innocent enough," Hermione said looking over her shoulder at the cage.

"That's what they used to say about me," Harry said cheekily.

"Dad, I'm sure you were never innocent," Saffron wisecracked.

Harry looked at his youngest with mock indignation. "I'll have you know that I have a very innocent, sweet disposition, Saf."

Ethan, Hermione and Saffron all looked at each other and burst into laughter.

"I can't be innocent and sweet?" Harry asked glaring at them all.

"I love you, Daddy, but you're not innocent," Saffron giggled.

"You are sweet," Hermione smiled at him. "But we won't let anyone know that."

"Wouldn't want to ruin my reputation or anything," Harry said putting an arm around his wife. The timer on the oven went off and since Saffron was hurt, Ethan told her he'd get the biscuits from the oven.

"Man these smell fantastic, Saf," Ethan said, pulling them out. "Can I snag a few for Mads?"

"Sure," Saffron replied. "I'm going to bring some by to Uncle Ron and Aunt Luna later too."

"You won't get through the door," Harry predicted. "Ron will eat them right out of your hands."

"I made extra so Aunt Luna can have a couple at least," Saffron said. She looked at her brother. "I miss us all being here like this. It doesn't happen near enough. All we're missing is Julie."

"I know," Hermione said wistfully. "She's taking the girls Christmas shopping for Nick tonight."

"Poor Julie," Ethan mused.

Hermione swatted her son's arm. "Don't talk about your nieces that way."

"Come on Mum," Ethan said. "Even you have to admit when you put Ash and Katie in the same room, you're just asking for trouble. I love them to death, you know that, but that's the truth."

"Ethan's right Mum," Saffron replied. "For once..."

Ethan nudged her. "Thanks, Saffy."

"Maybe, they'll grow out of it," Hermione said optimistically.

"Hopefully," Harry snagged a biscuit off the tray. "Excellent sweetheart." he grinned at his daughter.

"Thanks Daddy," Saffron said smiling at him.

"So," Ethan said. "What's this about you having a boyfriend?"

Saffron's smile turned into a scowl. "I don't know how much longer I want to go out with him."

"I like the sound of that," Harry said but when he saw how upset Saffron seemed at the mention of Peter, the smile on his face fell.

Hermione put a hand on her daughter's shoulder. "It's like I said the other day- you're still young, you have plenty of time for boys. You'll find someone that makes you really happy."

Saffron's mind briefly skipped to Andrew and she nodded.

"All teasing aside, you're a good girl, Saffy," Ethan said. "And if any of those blokes give you any trouble, you just let me know and I'll take care of it."

Saffron smiled. "Thanks Ethan. R.J. said the same thing."

Seamus came into the kitchen looking very much like he'd been put through the wringer.

"I'm going out for awhile," he said. "Visit my folks."

"Lavender sticking around?" Hermione asked.

"I don't know," he said. "She's not talking to me, remember?"

"I'll say something to her if you want," Hermione put a hand on his arm. "You really didn't do anything wrong Seamus."

"I tried to get away from Parvati at the ball," Seamus said. "She wouldn't leave me alone, Hermione. And I didn't want to cause a scene. Lavender acts like I took her and..."

"We all know how Parvati is," Harry replied.

"She's making Maddie's life a living hell at work," Ethan said leaning on the counter.

"What's she doing?" Hermione asked. "I had a talk with Smythe this past week but if Parvati's still causing trouble I'll call her up for a conference."

"You'd need to talk to Maddie," Ethan replied. "It's a load of things really."

"I'll have her come up tomorrow," Hermione nodded.

Seamus excused himself and promised to try and be back for dinner.

"I've got to get home as well." Ethan said, glancing at his watch. "I'm taking Mads out for dinner tonight."

"We'll take care of the Pesky Pixie for you," Saffron said. "He'd better not bite me again though."

"Don't stick your finger in there anymore," Ethan teased, pulling on his sister's long plait.

"I was trying to be nice!" Saffron said swatting at him. Ethan was too quick for her and disapparated before she could lay a hand on him.

"What do my two girls feel like having for dinner tonight?" Harry asked.

"I'm up for anything," Hermione said, sliding her arms around Harry's waist.

"Beef stew?" Saffron suggested. "You promised you'd make some while I was home Dad."

"Sure," Harry agreed. "You want to help?"

"Just like old times," Saffron said grinning at him.

"I can still remember coming home from work finding you in this apron that was way too big for you," Hermione told Saffron. "Standing on a step ladder and helping your father cook."

"How old was I?" Saffron asked interestedly.

"Three," Hermione said laughing. "And determined to help him out."

"You followed me everywhere," Harry said smiling at her. "My little shadow."

"Little did I know," Saffron deadpanned.

"Very funny," Harry said. "You finished baking?"

"Yes," Saffron said sweetly. "Will you clean up?"

"Nice try," Harry said. "You made the mess, Saffron Grace."

"I'm the cook," Saffron gave her mother a pouty look. "Please, Mummy?"

"Harry, honestly," Hermione took out her wand and waved it. "That's all you had to do. She baked these from scratch with no magic."

"That's good," Harry said grinning at his wife. "Because she's not allowed to do magic outside of school."

"Duh," Saffron rolled her eyes. "Thanks Mum." she grinned at her mother. "Can I have a dog?"

"Saffron..." Hermione said. "I thought we discussed this already."

"You mean you've already hit your mother up?" Harry asked. "Saffron Grace--"

"I know," Saffron interjected. "I'm going to go upstairs and ring Lex."

Hermione shook her head as Saffron walked out of the kitchen. Once she was out of earshot, Hermione smiled at her husband. "Do you think she has any idea?"

"No way," Harry grinned back. "I think we've managed to make her think otherwise."

"The puppy is so cute," Hermione said referring to the puppy which was staying with Neville and Cho until Christmas. "She's going to love it, Harry."

"I can't wait to see her face," Harry chuckled. "And I can't wait to see what Maddie thinks of this thing."

"She'll love it like she loved Dolly," Hermione said smiling at the Cornish Pixie.

"She'll probably name this one the same thing," Harry said, taking the cage into the sitting room. "I'll get it some water."

"You know you didn't welcome me properly," she reminded him. "I haven't seen you since this morning."

"You mean you want me to shag you right here?" Harry asked in a smartass tone.

"No," she said frowning. "I meant a kiss."

"I knew that," Harry teased, leaning in and pressing his lips to hers.

"That's more like it," Hermione said when they pulled apart. "I've been thinking about our trip, you know."

"Have you now?" he asked. "I've been thinking about it too..."

Hermione nodded. "I wonder if it's changed any. It's been so long since we were there."

"Long as I'm with you, I don't care," Harry said, wrapping his arms around her.

Saffron came back downstairs grumbling under her breath. Ethan's little tip about where the presents might be hidden hadn't turned up anything.

"Okay Dad," she said. "Ready to start dinner..." she covered her eyes. "Will you two please stop snogging in front of me? I'm already scarred for life!"

Hermione laughed. "You're right, Saffy. We should set a better example for you."

"And I'm sure you haven't snogged your boyfriend at school at all this year," Harry said with a straight face.

"I haven't," Saffron said with an even straighter face. "I've been too busy for such things..."

"I'm sure," Harry deadpanned.

"Okay enough talk about snogging," Hermione said. "Why don't you two go start dinner and I'm going to go and check on Lavender."

"Talk some sense into her, you mean," Harry replied.

"I'm certainly going to try," Hermione said heading for the stairway.

Harry grinned at his daughter. "Five Galleons says Lavender's still in a strop with Seamus by the end of the night."

"I'm not going to bet on that," Saffron said. "I'd lose."

Hermione knocked on her cousin's door.

"I told you to go away!" Lavender called out from the other side in a shrill voice. "Go see your…your… Parvati!"

"Lav, it's me," Hermione said. "Let me in."

"It's open," Lavender called back.

Hermione poked her head inside. "Can we talk?"

"If you've come up here to tell me I'm overreacting," Lavender began.

"You don't think you are?" Hermione raised an eyebrow.

Lavender pulled her dressing gown tighter around her. "He danced with that trollop the entire night. Hermione! He never dances! And then she sends him some basket with a suggestive card..."

"Which he was going to throw away until you tossed it against the wall," Hermione said. "And he danced with her twice, and only because you wouldn't go near him the rest of that night."

Lavender knew her cousin was right. "She's a horrible, wretched woman. Did Cho tell you what she said to Neville? Not to mention how she hurt Luna!"

"We know," Hermione nodded. "She's been bothering Maddie and Smythe down in the Seer Department too."

"I think it's time that I found out a little more about our dear friend Parvati," Lavender said rubbing her hands together. "Didn't you say she went on some self-imposed sabbatical?"

"Something like that," Hermione rolled her eyes. "And found herself or some other rubbish."

Lavender thought about this for a moment. "Hmmm....is there any way to find out where she went exactly?"

Hermione shrugged. "Not that I know of but if I know you, you'll think of something."

Lavender smiled. It was her first genuine smile in the past couple of days. "Do you know something Seamus said to me? You aren't going to believe this one, Hermione. He said that if I had gone to Hogwarts, perhaps Parvati and I would have been friends. Can you believe that? What sort of alternate universe is he living in?"

"The same one where he thought you and Summer would be friends?" Hermione teased her.

Lavender laughed and then her expression suddenly turned sombre. "To tell you the truth, I wasn't really looking forward to Christmas this year. It just doesn't seem the same without Uncle Robert."

"I know," Hermione agreed. "It's going to be tough- especially for Mum. She still wants us to come help her decorate like last year though. I don't know how I'll make it through the night without crying."

"Me too," Lavender said softly. "I know he'd want us to carry on like usual, but it's just so hard."

Hermione hugged her cousin. "I'm glad you're here." she said. "Christmas wouldn't be the same without you either."

"Even with all my drama?" Lavender asked laughing.

"Some of it," Hermione nudged her.

Lavender smiled. "Okay, I will apologise to Seamus when he gets home and then tomorrow I start digging up dirt on Miss Parvati Patil."

"As long as you apologise to Seamus I'm happy," Hermione said. "You know he loves you."

"He must to put up with all this," Lavender said. "And I will apologise. I just hope he accepts it."

"He will," Hermione predicted. "Harry and Saffron are making dinner."

"That sounds great," Lavender said. "I'll just make myself presentable and then meet you downstairs, okay?"

"It won't be ready for about an hour," Hermione replied. "So take your time."

"Sounds like enough time for a nice, relaxing bath," Lavender said dreamily.

"That sounds good to me as well," Hermione squeezed her cousin's hand and got up.

"Thanks Hermione," Lavender said. "For being my voice of reason."

"What would you do without me?" Hermione teased her.

"I'd probably be on my eighth marriage right about now to do some vapid, but gorgeous model," Lavender said with a grin.

"And the other seven wouldn't exist," Hermione continued.

"And I'd probably be Parvati Patil's best friend," Lavender said shuddering. "Or even worse Ginny Sodding Malfoy."

Hermione made a face. "Now that's disgusting."

"So," Lavender said. "For that and many, many, many reasons, I am glad that you are not only my cousin, but my best friend too."

"Same here," Hermione smiled. "Same here..."

*** *** ***

Saffron spent most of the day Christmas shopping with Alexa in Diagon Alley. She'd managed to get through all the people on her Christmas list, except for Peter. For some reason, she wasn't sure if she could or should get him something. Besides, she and Alexa were having such a great day, she didn't want to think about him and thus spoil her day.

"You want to get a hot chocolate?" Alexa asked. "I think we might need a break after all this shopping."

"That sounds fabulous," Saffron said. "Too bad we're not near your mum's bakery. She makes the best hot chocolate ever."

"Fortescue's isn't that bad either," Alexa said heading for the ice cream shop. "And it will be nice to get in out of the cold too."

"Agreed," Saffron said, gripping her bags tighter in her hand as they made their way to the ice cream shoppe.

The place was crowded and the girls joined the queue to place their order. A few minutes later, they scanned the shoppe for a place to sit.

"Isn't this a coincidence!" a familiar voice drawled from behind them. "My favourite girl and Saffy. What ever are you two doing here?"

"R.J.!" Alexa beamed happily.

Where there was an R.J., there was bound to be an Andrew and sure enough when Saffron turned around, she saw Andrew and R.J. sitting at a table right behind them.

"Hi," Andrew said nervously.

"Hello," Saffron said just as nervously. She didn't want him to know yet, but she'd bought Andrew a gift since he would be there for Christmas and it was sitting in the top of the bag she was carrying.

"Would you two like to join us?" R.J. asked. "Isn't this a kick in the arse to find you two here right when we are..."

"Almost like someone might have planned it," Saffron said glaring at him.

He grinned innocently at her.

Alexa slid in next to R.J. and gave him a kiss. "Good news," she said.

"What is it?" R.J. asked.

"I get to come on New Year's Eve thanks to Saffy." Alexa said happily.

"Really?" R.J. asked beaming at her. "So I won't have to kidnap you."

"Not if you want to stay on my dad's good side," she giggled, giving him another kiss.

Automatically, Saffron and Andrew rolled their eyes at each other.

Andrew smiled at her. "You want to sit down then?"

"Sure," Saffron said, her stomach fluttering as she slid in next to him.

Her knee brushed against his as she took off her cloak. Andrew couldn't ever remember feeling this nervous around a girl before in his life.

"How long have you two been down here?" Saffron asked when she'd settled in.

"Couple of hours," R.J. replied.

"Get any presents then?" Alexa asked. "You know for someone..."

"Oh maybe," R.J. said. He grinned devilishly. "And Andrew got one for Saf."

"You did?" Saffron asked softly.

Andrew's face was red. "It's not that great, just something little," he mumbled, glaring at R.J.

"I bought you something too," she said blushing.

"Oooh," R.J. said as Alexa kicked him. "Ow!"

"Was that your leg?" Alexa asked innocently. "Sorry 'bout that."

"Yes," R.J. said through clenched teeth. "So Saf... heard from old Petey? Or has he been too busy snogging one of his little tutor girls?"

Saffron frowned. "No, I haven't heard from him."

"Wonder why," R.J. said, shooting a meaningful glance at Andrew.

Saffron didn't want to talk about Peter. Hastily, she changed the subject. "So Andrew, how do you like being with the Weasleys? Never a dull moment around that house."

"You can say that again," Andrew sat back in the booth. "R.J.'s dad eats from the moment he gets up to the moment he goes back to bed."

"He's already eaten all that fudge you brought over last night," R.J. told his girlfriend. "And the biscuits and those scones too. In his defence, Maddie helped him out with most of it."

Alexa giggled. "Maddie eats as much as he does."

Saffron laughed. "That's true." She was feeling much more at ease and relaxed now. "And I'm sure R.J. likes having Drew and Darla back in town. Mum said they looked gorgeous at the ball."

"They always do," Alexa said. "I wish my hair was the same colour red as theirs. It's so pretty."

"I happen to like your colour," R.J. said smiling at her.

Alexa grinned back and gave him another kiss.

"I've had to put up with this for the past couple of days," Andrew said to Saffron. "I wish you would have been around to keep me company."

"From here on out I will," Saffron promised.

"Lex," R.J. said grinning at her. "I just remembered I needed to get your opinion on a gift I wanted to get for my Mum."

"Oh," Alexa said. "What sort of gift?"

R.J. hadn't expected her to ask any questions. He started to push her along to edge her out of the seat. "You know...something for a mum. We'd better hurry before they run out."

"Okay," Alexa looked over at Saffron, who seemed fully aware of what R.J. was trying to do.

"We'll catch up with you two later," R.J. promised grinning at them. He helped Alexa with her cloak and bags.

Saffron watched them walk away and then turned and looked at Andrew.

"I had nothing to do with this," he said looking right at her. "I swear."

"I know," she answered. "It's not like R.J.'s known for his subtlety."

Andrew laughed. "No he's not."

Saffron hated feeling shy and she looked out the window trying to think of something to say. "So is R.J. making you practise while you're at his place?"

"We've played a couple of pickup matches with his dad and Jon," Andrew replied. "But that's not all we've done. For instance, I was able to watch as he and Alexa snogged each other senseless last night."

"Aren't you the lucky one," Saffron said with a smile.

Silence fell over the table and Andrew searched his brain for something to say. Honesty seemed to be the best policy, he thought. She was here and so was he.

“Saffy," he began.

"Hmm?" she asked.

"I haven't been able to stop thinking about that night in the common room," Andrew said softly. "I've tried not to think about it, but it's always there."

"I know what you mean," she said softly.

Feeling bold, Andrew reached for her hand. "You're hard to forget, you know that?"

A thrill shot through her as he squeezed her fingers. "You mean that?" she asked with a small smile.

"I mean that," he said smiling back at her. "He doesn't deserve you, Saffy."

"Peter's changed so much since the beginning of term," Saffron said. "I don't even know who he is anymore."

"Watching you with him at school has been torture," he said quietly. "And when I saw you with him on the train..."

"You saw us on the train?" Saffron interrupted.

Andrew nodded. "I wasn't spying on you, Saf. Jason and I were walking by."

"Ugh," Saffron rolled her eyes. "He was going on about how he loved me, while we were on the train. And that scared the hell out of me, you know? I'm not in love with him."

"You're not?" Andrew asked, feeling his heart swell at this news.

"Hardly," Saffron snorted, looking out the window again. Her eyes narrowed at something just outside Florean's.

"What's wrong?" Andrew asked following her gaze.

"That," Saffron said flatly, pointing with her free hand. Just outside the window in plain view was Peter Lawson snogging none other than the person Saffron hated most at Hogwarts- Christina Grant.

"Saffy---" Andrew said but she had already grabbed her cloak.

"It's okay Andrew," Saffron replied. "This has been a long time coming now. She doesn't know she's actually doing me a favour."

Hastily, Andrew grabbed his own cloak and Saffron's bags before following her out of the shoppe and onto the sidewalk.

Saffron waited until she was right behind the snogging couple before tapping Peter on the shoulder. "Hi sweetheart!" she said in a falsely cheery voice. "Having fun?"

Peter and Christina sprang apart. While Peter wore a look of utter shock and surprise, Christina looked as if she'd just been given everything she'd always wanted.

"Hello Potter," she said sweetly.

"Saffy," Peter said reaching out for her. "It's not what you think..."

"I'm sure it's not," Saffron said, still maintaining her smile. "She just had something in her eye right?"

"You can tell her Peter," Christina standing beside him. "We've been together for quite some time."

Saffron's smile turned downright sugary. "How adorably sweet." she said, her words dripping with sarcasm.

"What's he doing here?" Peter asked looking over Saffron's shoulder to where Andrew stood.

"That's none of your concern," Saffron said. "I guess this just proves my point doesn't it Peter. You've been cheating on me with all these people you're supposedly tutoring. I may not have noticed before but I sure do now. We're finished."

"Saffy..." Peter said. "Wait!"

Andrew stood in between them. "Leave her alone. You don't look at her. You don't talk to her. You don't go anywhere near her."

"Don't you tell me what to do," Peter sneered at him.

"No," Saffron shook her head. "You don't do any of that. We are through Peter. You can go snog or shag whoever you want now. I've got a guy who would never do to me what you did."

"Who?" Christina asked. "Andrew or R.J. Weasley? Because we all know who it is you've really wanted all along, Potter."

"Shut up slag!" Saffron replied with a dirty look at the blonde. "You don't even like Peter. You were just using him to get back at me for helping R.J. see what you were really like."

"You should know about using people," Christina retorted icily.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Saffron snapped, getting up in Christina's face.

"I've watched you for years," Christina replied. "You've skated by on your perfect parents' name. Now, you've got your sister to get you out of trouble. I know it was you who hexed me that time and nearly ruined my face!"

"No one needs to ruin your face," Saffron sneered. "You've done a perfectly good job of that on your own. And I work hard for what I do and receive."

"Saffy--" Peter began again but she cut him off.

"And don't even get me started on you," she said turning to face him. "You love me? You don't even know what love is."

"You've been cheating on me too!" he finally exploded.

"I have not," Saffron hissed. "I ignored it when other people told me about seeing you around the school with other girls- I even ignored my best friends when they told me they saw you snogging those little followers of yours. But today was the final straw. I hope you and Miss Priss here are happy with yourselves because it's all you have left."

"Come on Saffy," Andrew said, reaching for her hand. "Let's go."

As she and Andrew walked away, she could hear Christina arguing with Peter about not defending her.

"Are you okay?" Andrew asked.

"Better than I've been in a long while," Saffron said with a grin.

"That was amazing," Andrew said grinning back at her. "You ...you were...are...amazing."

"Thank you," Saffron said, linking their fingers.

Andrew pulled her off the sidewalk. "There's something I've wanted to do for weeks."

"I think I know what that might be," she said coyly.

"Do you?" he asked leading her off the sidewalk into a secluded part of the alley.

"Mmmhmm..." she said. "Prove me right already would you?"

Andrew dropped the shopping bags down on the ground and then deftly pulled Saffron into his arms.

"Oooh," she said, feeling tingly all over. "This is a good start."

Her body curved neatly into his and he kissed her deeply.

Saffron felt as if she'd just come home after a long journey. She ran her fingers through his dark hair and kissed him back as hard as she could.

Andrew pulled away for a moment to get some air. He looked down at her. "I've missed you Saffron."

"I'm sorry for the way I was around you after that night," she said, enjoying the fact that he was still holding her close. "I was really confused- I didn't know what I was feeling."

"And now?" he asked tucking a stray strand of hair behind her ear. "Do you know how you feel?"

"Yes I do," she replied. "It's all quite clear..."

Andrew kissed her again. "For me too."

"I'm glad you haven't changed your mind," Saffron said. "Because I really do like you, Andrew."

"I really like you too," he said softly kissing her forehead.

Saffron pressed her lips to his again. "R.J.'s going to be insufferable now you know," she said with a laugh. "His little matchmaking scheme worked for a change."

"More insufferable than he usually is you mean?" Andrew asked.

"Exactly," Saffron agreed with a giggle.

"So this means you'll be coming over more during the holiday?" he asked hopefully.

"I suppose," Saffron smiled at him. "And you'll come over and spend some time at my place?"

"I'd love that," Andrew said leaning down and picking up the bags. "So you ready to go find the matchmaker?"

"In a minute," Saffron said. "I'd like to kiss you a few more times to make up for what a git I was."

"You weren't a git," he reassured her. "You just broke up with one."

"Yeah I did," She shook her head. "I'm lucky I had a better guy waiting for me."

Andrew smiled. "Well, how about we start making up for lost time then?"

Meanwhile, R.J. had somehow lost Alexa in the crowded gift shoppe. One minute, they'd both been looking at these glass figurines and the next thing he knew Alexa was gone.

"Can I help you young man?" an older witch asked him. "Are you looking for a present for someone special?"

"I'm just looking for my girlfriend," R.J. said. "She was just here..."

"We are rather crowded today," the witch said smiling at him. "Perhaps your girlfriend would like a nice..."

He spotted Alexa at the counter talking to a salesman.

"I've already bought her something, but thanks," he told the witch.

Alexa was looking longingly at a music box that was under a glass case.

"Like that do you?" R.J. asked her, coming up on her side.

She nodded. It was a silver music box painting with stars and moons and played Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star.

"I used to have one just like it when I was little," Alexa told him. "My dad gave it to me when I was five. I must have been about eight or nine and Ben was over playing. He accidentally broke it when he threw a football at me and I missed. I was heartbroken."

R.J. nodded, wondering if he could afford this for her on top of the gift he'd already bought her. "Maybe you should tell him about this one and he can buy it for you," he said instead.

"Not unless he has fifty galleons," Alexa said frowning. "And besides, there's no chance he'd ever come here anyway."

"Oh right," R.J. said. "Come on Lexie- we should go find Andrew and Saf."

"Right," Alexa said looking one last time at the music box.

R.J. had a feeling he'd be back in the next few days and be missing a few more Galleons. After seeing the way she'd looked at the box there was no way he couldn't get it for her.

"Next year at this time, we'll be seeing each other after three months apart," Alexa said linking arms with him.

"I know," R.J. replied. "It'll be hell."

"You'll be so busy being the next big thing for Puddlemere that I bet you'll be too busy to miss me," Alexa teased.

"I'll always miss you Lexie," R.J. said, giving her a kiss. "You're my girl."

Alexa beamed at him. "I love---"

But she didn't get a chance to finish her sentence as Peter came up behind R.J. and shoved him with all his might.

"Hey!" R.J. said, shoving him back. "What the hell is your problem you jerk?"

"This is all your bloody fault!" Peter retorted shoving him again.

"What- did Saffron finally see you for the prat you are?" R.J. snapped back.

"You filled her head with lies because you wanted her for yourself!" Peter nearly shouted. "We were doing fine!"

"I don't want Saffron for myself you idiot," R.J. sneered. "I have a girlfriend already. I just hated seeing you cheat on my best friend!"

"Why am I not surprised to see you here?'" Alexa said as Christina sauntered over to join them.

"Hello little Alexandra," Christina purred. "Junior,"

"Go away, Christina," Alexa said rolling her eyes.

"It's a special day for Junior and me," Christina said winking at R.J. "It was a year ago this very day that we...well you know..."

"And I'm sure he's already forgotten it," Alexa replied. "Get over yourself. You're not going to break us up."

"Your friend Andrew couldn't wait to throw his hat into the ring," Peter said glaring at R.J. "Not to mention her ex Sean. She was probably seeing both of them behind my back!"

"Two boyfriends at once?" Christina asked. "Hmmm, I didn't think Potter had it in her."

"Sean- your cousin," Alexa replied. "Bet you didn't know that."

"What are you talking about?" Christina asked. "Saffron Potter doesn't know anyone in my family!"

"Sean? He's a great bloke," R.J. said. "We saw a lot of him last summer hols."

"Sean?" Christina asked. "Sean Grant? No, there's no..."

"Way," Alexa finished with a grin. "And boy, did he sure like Saffy."

"He wasn't too fond of you though," R.J. said.

Christina couldn't believe this. She wished she could wipe that smug, satisfied look off both Alexa and R.J.'s faces. A smile spread across her face.

"I've been meaning to ask you," Christina said to R.J. "But how is it....sleeping alone?"

R.J. stared at her a moment. "It was you," he said, his face darkening. "You told McGonagall."

"Guilty," Christina said sweetly. "Now you know how it feels."

"Fuck you," R.J. said angrily.

"You already did," Christina said smiling at him.

"You're pathetic," Alexa said disdainfully. "You hate yourself so much you have to go out of your way to make others miserable too."

"Oh please," Christina scoffed. "You should have heard her in the library, Junior. Talking to Potter about how hard it was to stop when she wanted to keep going. You're losing your touch..."

"Oh shut up," R.J. rolled his eyes. "You were just easy."

"And you were horrible," Christina spat at him. "All scared and nervous."

"You didn't say that at the time," R.J. replied.

"Why don't we just go," Alexa said not really wanting to hear any thing more about R.J. and Christina's shared past.

"Sounds good," R.J. said. "Have a nice Christmas together," he said sarcastically to Peter and Christina.

"I wish I could punch her lights out," Alexa said to R.J. as they walked away. "I've never in my life met anyone more reprehensible, mean-spirited, hateful, spiteful..."

"Both of them are pretty spiteful," R.J. shook his head. "Obviously Saf caught them together and that's why Peter was so pissed off. Serves him right."

"I wish I could have seen it," Alexa said looking around the crowded walkway for a sign of Saffron and Andrew.

"But," R.J. rubbed his hands together gleefully. "It must also mean that Saffron finally wised up about Andrew!"

"I hope so," Alexa said smiling at him. "They're perfect for each other."

"Like us," R.J. said, giving her a kiss right there in front of everyone.

Saffron and Andrew were walking hand in hand when they saw their two friends snogging.

"Watch this," Saffron said gleefully to Andrew. She snuck up behind R.J. and in her best McGonagall impersonation said, "Mr. Weasley!"

R.J. froze, his shoulders hunching up as he pulled away and once he saw it was Saffron, he gave her a dirty look.

"I had to do it!" she said giggling.

"We just had an interesting run in," Alexa began.

"So did we," Saffron interjected. "You will never in a million years guess who I caught..."

"Peter and Christina," R.J. interjected. "Peter just tried to blame me for what happened."

"You're kidding me!" Saffron exclaimed, rolling her eyes.

"We kind of blabbed to her about you and Sean too," Alexa admitted. "You should have seen the look on her face, Saf. It was priceless!"

Saffron giggled. "Serves that bitch right."

"Another reason you should like Andrew, Saf," R.J. told her. "The entire time I was with her, he kept telling me I was crazy."

Saffron smiled at Andrew, who grinned back. "Another reason he's got good sense." she said as he put an arm around her.

"So this means what I think it means eh?" Alexa asked her best friend.

"Oh it might," Andrew joked.

"Which goes to show all of you should listen to me more often," R.J. said smugly.

"Stop stealing my lines R.J.," Saffron returned.

"Your lines?" R.J. asked tweaking her nose. "You should be thanking me."

Saffron swiped back at him. "So thank you already. And stop stealing my lines."

"Right," R.J. said laughing. "Come on. This is cause to celebrate. Let's go eat!"

"We still have more Christmas shopping to do," Alexa protested.

"We can't do that on an empty stomach," R.J. said. "I know I can't."

"When has your stomach ever been empty?" Alexa asked him teasingly.

"Right now," R.J. said defensively.

"We never did get our hot chocolate Lex," Saffron said with a grin.

"That's true," Alexa said. "Okay, let's go."


-->

87. Chapter 87

Authors’ note: Hi guys! Hope your week is starting out well. I (Amynoelle) actually managed to respond to the reviews this time around ;) This chapter starts out another storyline for Jon/Allie; Maddie and Saffy get their Christmas presents; Andrew spends Christmas with the Potters and Weasleys at the Burrow and Fred & George play a trick on their favourite guinea pig. We hope you enjoy another Christmas in the DD verse.

The conversation Jon had with his wife on Caroline's birthday echoed in his head for weeks afterward. It was almost Christmas and Allison was still hinting around that she wanted to have another baby. He knew that on his current salary, having another baby would stretch their finances way too much so he decided to scope the Daily Prophet for a second job.

"Good morning," Allison said coming into the kitchen. Jon hastily turned the pages to the sports section so Allison wouldn't see what he was looking at. "Caroline and Emma are so excited about going to see Santa today."

Jon smiled. "I'm glad," he said. "I've been looking forward to this all week."

"Anything good in the paper?" she asked as she poured herself a cup of coffee.

"Nah not really," Jon closed it. "I should really go shower. The girls up yet?"

"Not yet," Allison answered. "And your mum said she'd watch the girls while we finished our shopping tomorrow."

"Great," Jon gave his wife a kiss.

When Jon pulled away, Allison grabbed his arm. "You want some company in the shower?" she asked huskily.

"I'd never say no to that," he grinned.

Allison smiled back before kissing him again.

Jon let his hands wander up her back and into her long, thick hair. "Al..." he murmured.

Allison loved it when he said her name like that. She tugged at the bottom of his t-shirt.

"Maybe we should wait until we're in the loo," Jon kissed under her ear. "In case the girls wake up..."

"Good idea," Allison said walking him backwards out of the kitchen and down the corridor. She'd stopped using the protection charms and according to Lizzy, there was no reason she couldn't become pregnant again.

Jon locked the door behind them as Allison started the spray of water. He pushed at her robe as she pulled his shirt over his head.

"You've been so tense lately," she said softly as he helped undo the buttons of her pyjama top.

"I've had a lot on my mind," he said softly. "But right now, all I'm thinking about is you."

Allison smiled "All good things, I hope."

"There's never anything bad about you," Jon brushed her hair out of her eyes.

She leaned in and kissed him. "Let's get in the shower. We probably don't have much time."

"Right," Jon said, picking her up and carrying her over.

They didn't waste much time once they were inside the shower. Jon forgot about his monetary woes as he gave into the love and passion he still felt for his wife after all these years together.

"You are so incredible Al," he said, sliding his fingers through her wet hair.

"You are," she whispered against his skin. "Don't stop."

Her back slid against the tiled wall as they both tried to keep their moans muffled for the benefit of their daughters.

A few minutes later, the bathroom was so steamy they could barely see each other. Allison and Jon emerged from the shower, sated and satisfied.

"Feeling relaxed?" she asked him handing him a towel.

"Absolutely," Jon replied, giving her one last kiss.

"Me too," she agreed. "My favourite way to spend the morning."

Jon laughed as they heard a light knocking on the door. "Daddy?" Caroline called. "Are you in there?"

"Yes angel," Jon called back. "I'll be out in just a second, okay?"

"Emma's hungry!" Caroline called back.

Allison and Jon laughed and quickly dressed. Caroline was leaning against the hall wall with her eyes half closed. Emma was sitting down beside her sister holding the teddy bear Neville had given her.

"Mama!" Emma cried out when she saw Allison. "Eat, Mama!"

"You always want to eat, baby," Allison teased, picking Emma up and tickling her.

"You tired, Angel?" Jon asked, picking Caroline up as well. "Why didn't you stay in bed?"

"Because we're going to see Santa today," Caroline said rubbing her eyes. "And I didn't want to miss it."

"You know we wouldn't have let you sleep through that," Jon kissed his daughter's cheek. "What do you and Em want for breakfast?"

"EAT!" Emma crowed. "Dada!"

"How about waffles?" Allison suggested tweaking Emma's nose. "With lots and lots of syrup."

Max yelped excitedly at their feet. "Max, you can't have waffles!" Caroline told him giggling.

"And no sneaking him bites either," Jon told his eldest daughter with a grin.

"Maxi waffles!" Emma bubbled.

Allison laughed. "Let's go get started then, Em."

"Want to make them from scratch?" Jon asked. "Since it's not every day we get to go see Santa?"

Allison nodded. "It is a big day." She set Emma in her high chair. "Okay, baby girl--- apple or orange juice?"

"Apple, Mama," Emma replied, beaming.

"Coming right up," Allison said giving her a kiss on the cheek. "And I know Caroline wants orange juice, right?"

Jon sat down at the table with Caroline in his lap.

"Yes please Mummy," Caroline said, leaning back against Jon and closing her eyes again.

"Why are you so tired this morning, Angel?" Jon asked.

"I kept thinking of things to add to my list," Caroline said sleepily.

"Oh," Jon said smiling. "What's at the top of your list?"

"A baby brother," Caroline answered. "Or another sister."

Allison dropped the spoon she was using to mix the batter. "Oops," she said, sharing a surprised look with Jon.

"But I don't want Mummy to go to sleep for a long time like she did with Emma," Caroline added.

"We don't want that either, Angel," Jon kissed the side of her head. "But you know, Aunt Lizzy said that your Mummy was all better from that."

"She did?" Caroline asked.

"That's right," Allison added.

"So we can have a baby brother or sister?" Caroline asked.

"Sissy," Emma said clapping her hands together.

"You never know," Jon said, pinching Caroline's cheek. "Might happen, might not..."

"I'm going to wish for it and tell Santa that it's what we all want," Caroline said with determination.

"If you like, Angel," Jon chuckled, his mind drifting back to what he'd have to do if they did in fact have another child.

Caroline slid off Jon's lap and walked over to her mother. Jon watched Caroline help Allison make breakfast. He didn't want to let Allison know how bad things actually were. Every year about this time, his schedule was actually quite sparse. He thought about possibly asking his father for some hours at the shop, but Jon knew his father would see right through this and just offer to give him some extra money.

"Daddy," Emma said, breaking into his thoughts. "Emma loves Dada."

Jon smiled at his young daughter. "Dada loves you too, Emma Madeline. Very, very much."

"Where Mad?" Emma asked, looking to the front hall.

"Mad isn't here," Jon said laughing. "But she's going to see you at Nana's later, right?"

"I can't wait to go to Nana's." Caroline said. "Aunt Maddie's going to help me with Emma's Christmas present."

"And you'll get to see your new cousins," Allison said. "And your Uncle R.J. and Saffron..."

"Yay," Caroline said happily. "It's always so much fun!"

"Fun!" Emma agreed.

Allison looked up from the stove and shared a smile with her husband.

Jon watched her for a few more moments and then moved his gaze to his two daughters. It was true- another baby would make life a lot more difficult. But mornings like this made everything worth it.

*** *** ***

The sitting room floor of the Burrow was completely covered in gifts of every shape and size. As per tradition, the children opened their presents first. Emma squealed with delight when she opened her gifts mimicking Caroline's behaviour.

"Oooh!" Emma said holding up a pair of tiny gloves Molly had knitted for her. "Pretty!"

"Nana, they're perfect," Jon grinned.

Molly beamed. "Thank you Jonathan. I knew she had to have some especially in purple."

"My turn," Katie said standing up in front of her pile of presents.

"Your turn," Nick tugged her brown locks.

Katie grinned as she felt everyone's eyes on her. She thoughtfully looked at the presents and finally decided to open the biggest one first.

"It's a big new tea set!" she said in delight. "Caroline, now we can have fancy tea parties!"

"We can have one this afternoon!" Caroline said excitedly.

Katie grinned happily as Ashley reached for one of her presents.

Ashley unwrapped the present and pulled open the box to reveal a new set of art supplies that she'd been hinting at for weeks.

Hermione smiled. "Did we get the right ones?"

"Yes!" Ashley shrieked. "Thank you, Grandma!"

"You're very welcome, sweetheart," Hermione said giving her a hug.

"Mum and Dad are going to let me use the cellar for my art studio," Ashley told her.

"It's not just yours!" Katie argued. "They said it could be my dress up room too!"

"You're going to share it," Julie interrupted. "Or neither of you will get it."

"Yes, Mum," Katie said glaring at Ashley. She returned her attention to her presents and opened up another one. It was from Caroline and it was a tiara just like the one Caroline wore at Frankie's wedding.

"Do you like it?" Caroline asked hopefully.

"I love it," Katie said, thrilled that she now had one of the pretty crowns of her own. "You're my bestest best friend ever!"

Caroline grinned. "You're mine, too! And we can wear them to our tea party!'

"Go ahead Saffy," Harry grinned, seeing that his youngest daughter was about to burst. "Open one."

"Just one?" Saffron asked.

"Unless you've figured out a way to open them all at once," Andrew teased her.

Saffron elbowed him.

"We left one for you in the closet there," Harry said sharing a look with Hermione. "You might want to open that one first."

"In the closet?" Saffron gave her parents a strange look.

Harry nodded. "There wasn't any room for it out here."

"Oh..." Saffron was still confused but she went to retrieve the gift.

She wondered if perhaps it was a new cloak or a new pair of shoes. Opening up the door, she gasped.

"OH MY GOD!" she screamed as a small, wiggly puppy jumped out at her.

"Doggy!" Emma exclaimed.

"YOU TWO GOT ME A DOG?" Saffron was laughing as the fawn-coloured puppy licked at her face. "It's the cutest thing I've ever seen!"

"What kind of dog is it?" Ron asked.

"It's a Puggle," Hermione explained. "A Beagle and Pug mix. We saw it and knew Saffy would love it."

"I do," Saffron sat back down beside Andrew. "I love him I absolutely love him!"

"Neville and Cho kept him for us," Harry explained.

"Mum and Dad didn't want to give him up," Allison told Saffron.

Saffron giggled. "I'll have to think of a good name for you," she said to the excited puppy. "Thank you ,Mum and Dad. Thank you both so much!"

"You're welcome," Harry said smiling at her. "We had you fooled, didn't we?"

"Completely," she giggled. "And I was so mad at you both, too!"

"Really?" Harry asked teasingly. "We couldn't tell."

"Aunt Saffy," Ashley said petting the puppy. "He’s so cute. If you ever need anyone to watch him for you, I'll do it."

"Thanks Ash," Saffron grinned. "Maybe you can help me think up a name later okay?" she laughed as Andrew scratched behind the puppy's ears.

Drew and Darla grinned at their father and handed him a square package. "This one is from us."

Ron eagerly tore open the package and saw an autographed poster of one of his favourite Quidditch players of all time. "Viktor Krum?"

"We actually did his daughter's wedding last weekend," Drew explained. "And we asked him if he'd do us this one favour. He was happy to do it."

"That is fantastic," Ron said happily. "I'll put this up in my office!"

"Isn't that the bloke that does the Wonky Feint thing?" Hermione asked looking over Ron's shoulder at the framed poster.

"Wronski Feint," Saffron, Andrew, R.J., Harry, Jon, Allison, Ethan and Ron all corrected her at once.

"How many times have we told you that over the years now?" Ron asked Hermione. "You can remember the must mundane things, but you never, ever get that right!"

"Uncle Ron's right Mum," Ethan grinned. "You're hopeless."

"She'll know how to say it when I'm doing it on a regular basis for Puddlemere," Saffron said.

"Saffron Grace--" Hermione began.

"Mads, close your eyes," Ethan interjected, staving off an argument before it could start. "Your gift was too big to wrap."

"Did you get me a puppy too?" Maddie asked.

"No," Ethan said. "Close those eyes."

Maddie did as he asked.

Ethan set the cage with the pixie in it on his girlfriend's lap. "Okay," he said. "Happy Christmas Mads."

Maddie opened her eyes. "Ethan!"

He grinned and laughed. "I saw it and I had to get it for you." he said softly as she stared at the little creature in the cage.

Tears welled up in Maddie's eyes. "He looks like...he looks like Dolly!"

"Right down to the little markings," Ethan kissed her cheek.

"On his feet!" Maddie squealed. "This is the best present ever, Ethan."

He laughed as she threw her arms around him. "Glad you like it," he said, wiping a tear from her cheek.

"I love it," she whispered. "I love you."

"Love you too," he whispered back in her ear.

"How about we all give Nana and Grandpa their present?" R.J. suggested.

"That's a great idea," Luna agreed. Ron stood up and handed his mother and father a large envelope. "For all that you do for us; we figured the two of you might need a nice, long holiday."

Molly looked at her youngest son. Her hands were trembling. Arthur took the envelope and opened it. Inside were two tickets for a two week holiday cruise.

"Hey," Arthur said in delight. "A Muggle cruise?" his eyes lit up like the Christmas tree.

Molly threw her arms around Ron. "Oh, Ronald!"

Ron patted his mother's back. "You're the best, Mum. Don't quite know what we'd do without you."

"I've always wanted to go on one of these," Arthur said looking at the tickets. "Just think Molly, we can buy loads of souvenirs!"

"Of course," Molly wiped her eyes. "Thank you all so much!"

"Mummy said that you'd have such a good time you might not want to come back," Caroline said. "But I hope you do come back, Nana. We'd miss you if you didn't!"

"I'd always come back for you Angel," Molly hugged her.

"And what's this I hear about you and Dad," Julie asked her mother. "You two are going on a second honeymoon?"

Ron snorted. "Like they need an excuse to---"

"Ronald!" Luna said putting her hand over his mouth.

"We're heading back to the Swan Islands right after Saffy goes back to school." Hermione leaned against Harry. "We'll be gone a few weeks."

"We can watch the dog for you," Katie said eagerly to Saffron.

"We'll see," Julie said, sharing a look with Nick. "The four of us and Greta will talk about it later."

"Okay," Katie said returning to her toys.

Josh looked down at his baby daughter who was looking up at him with wide eyes. "I don't think she knows what to make of all this. Do you, Casey?"

Casey made a little cooing noise and Josh laughed.

"She's my smart girl," Lizzy said, holding Noah while she rocked Aidan's chair with her foot.

"Josh," Fred asked his nephew. "Would you mind if we experimented with the babies? We're working on this new children's line..."

"I don't think so, Uncle Fred," Josh said shaking his head.

"Come on, Lizzy," George grinned. "Haven't we told you you're our favourite niece-in-law?"

"Thanks a lot," Allison said, clearly not insulted as she was grinning.

"We kind of love you, too," George said quickly.

"I kind of love you guys too," Allison said. "Even though you turned Caroline's hair blue when she was two. Lizzy, just a little FYI for you, never let these two baby-sit for you. Ever."

"Thanks, Allie," Lizzy said with a laugh, patting Noah's back gently. "I'll keep that in mind."

"It didn't hurt her," George said defensively. "And we changed it right back!"

"No," Josh said firmly.

"We could always test it on Ron," Fred said thoughtfully.

"Our favourite guinea pig," George said rubbing his hands together.

"And if we dangle food in front of him, always a willing guinea pig," Fred finished.

Ron hadn't heard the conversation, but he did feel his brothers' eyes on him. One look at their faces and he knew something was up. "No," he said firmly. "No way. No way. Never. Not in a million years."

"You don't even know what we want," Fred said innocently.

"Wherever you two are concerned--" Ron began.

"Here," Andrew said, holding a small box out to Saffron. "This is for you. It isn't anything big but I thought you'd like it..."

"Andrew," she said smiling at him. "You didn't have to..."

"Yeah I know," he grinned back at her as the puppy sniffed at the box. "Like I said, it's nothing big..."

Saffron peeled back the paper and her jaw dropped as she pulled a gold charm bracelet out. A little golden snitch dangled off the end of it.

"Andrew," she whispered. "I love it."

"Really?" he grinned in relief.

She nodded. "Will you help me put it on?"

"Sure," he said, fastening it onto her slender wrist. "R.J. said you'd like it. He was hoping that it would help you change your mind about... you know..."

"I know," she said softly admiring the bracelet. "And I don't need to change my mind now. I'm with the person I should have been with all along."

He grinned and leaned in to give her a quick kiss. "I'm glad to hear you say that."

"I have something for you too," she said. The puppy was resting on her lap and she couldn't get up at the moment. "It's the red one under the tree...."

"I'll get it," Andrew laughed at the dog. He retrieved the gift in question and sat down to open it. "Whoa Saf..."

"I know it's really..." Saffron started to explain.

"It's fantastic," Andrew said holding up the gift slip. "Quality Quidditch is my favourite shoppe. I won't even know where to begin."

"I'm glad you like it," she was also relieved. "I didn't know what you had already."

"Thank you," he said giving her a chaste kiss.

"Uncle R.J.?" Caroline asked. "When is Alexa coming over?"

"Later Caroline," R.J. told her. "For dinner."

"Did you get her something really pretty for Christmas?" Caroline asked him. "Like a tiara?"

R.J. grinned. "Not a tiara, but I got her a necklace and a music box."

"Oooh," Caroline said smiling at him. "Is she going to be my aunt?"

"What?" R.J.'s eyes bugged out. "Uh... no Caroline."

"Not ever?" Caroline asked folding her arms.

"Caroline, I'm only seventeen," R.J. said. "I'm not getting married for awhile yet."

"My Daddy was that old when he married Mummy," Caroline said.

"But that's fine for them," R.J. said. "Not for me."

"But I want Alexa to be my aunt," Caroline said pouting. "She's cool."

"Well..." R.J. was clearly at a loss for words. "Maybe um... maybe someday."

"Come here Caroline," Katie called out and Caroline scampered back to her best friend.

"You okay, R.J.?" Saffron asked.

"Yeah," R.J. shook his head. "You give her the bracelet mate?"

"Yes I did," Andrew said holding up Saffron's arm so R.J. could see.

"And I loved it," Saffron said beaming at Andrew.

R.J. grinned in satisfaction. "Wait till Lex sees the music box I got her."

"The one she saw in the gift shoppe?" Saffron asked. "You bought her that? R.J. that was...."

"She told me that it was broken when she was younger," R.J. said. "I couldn't not get it for her once I saw how she was looking at it."

"She's going to be so surprised," Saffron said grinning at him. "You are definitely turning out to be a good boyfriend."

“I know,” R.J. said unabashedly. “I’m great that way.”

Hermione looked over at her own mother who was looking a little sad.

"Mum?" she asked putting a hand on her shoulder. "Is everything okay? You've been awfully quiet."

"Just thinking about your father," Elinore confessed. "It was so difficult when everyone was over the other night... but this, seeing everyone so happy together- it makes me miss him all the more."

Hermione gave her mother a hug. "I know. He always did love holidays."

"He'd be happy to see Saffron not moping about," Elinore smiled at the young girl, who was laughing at something Andrew was saying.

Hermione nodded. "The other night at the house was hard for all of us."

"I kept sneaking into the kitchen just to have a moment to myself," Elinore admitted.

"I kept sneaking into the loo," Hermione said with a slight smile.

Harry came over and handed his wife and mother in law two wrapped presents. "For two of my favourite women." he smiled.

Elinore looked over at him in surprise. "What is this?"

"I don't know," Hermione said smiling at Harry. "He's just full of surprises lately."

He wore a devilish grin. "Open up."

"The New Cooking for Dummies?" Elinore read with a laugh. "Harry!"

"Saf and I were in a Muggle book shoppe the other day and I couldn't resist," Harry said.

"This isn't funny," Hermione said but she was smiling. "I like to think I've gotten better."

"You'd like to wouldn't you," Harry gave her a kiss on the cheek.

"I have," Hermione argued. "You and Saffy ate that rice pudding I made the other night."

"One of the two things you make well," Harry replied, winking at Elinore. "Nice to know that hasn't changed dear."

"I'm sorry to interrupt," Luna said. "But have either of you seen Ronald? He was just here..."

"I think I saw Fred and George drag him outside," Harry said.

"They're using him as their guinea pig again," Luna shook her head.

"Gampa-pig," Emma said scampering over to where Luna stood. "Gampa big pig!"

Harry laughed. "That's right Emma," he said, swinging her up. "Your grandpa is one big pig."

"Harry!" Hermione chastised. "You shouldn't teach her that."

"She was already saying it," Harry protested.

"And she has heard worse from her Grandpa," Luna said in Harry's defence. "Much worse."

The front door slammed and everyone watched as Ron came stalking into the house.

"I HAVE PURPLE HAIR!" Ron exploded.

Harry snorted and hid his smile behind Emma, who squealed and wiggled at the sight of her grandfather.

"It works!" Fred said high-fiving his twin brother. "Haha!"

"We can change it back I'm sure," Luna said stifling a laugh.

"No you can't!" Ron told her. "These two jolly jokers just told me it lasts for two days! TWO DAYS!"

"And you wanted to use this on MY children?" Josh asked.

"They don't have that much hair," Fred said sheepishly. "And it's not like they're old enough to know about embarrassment, is it?"

"This is a product for kids?" Allison asked, her eyebrow raised as Caroline hugged Ron around his legs.

"Grandpa, you have pretty purple hair!" she grinned at him. "Can you do that to mine?"

"No!" Allison answered for Ron.

"It's not really a product for kids, Allie," Fred told her. "We're not going to market it to them, per se. But it's perfectly safe. You just give a friend one of these biscuits and watch as their hair turns different colours. Tomorrow, Ron should be sporting a nice pink colour...."

"WHAT?" Ron exploded again. "When I get my hands on you bloody sodding bastards--"

"RONALD!" Luna yelped putting a hand on his arm.

"Bloody sodding...." Caroline started to mimic.

"Caroline!" Allison said sternly.

Caroline blushed and looked down at the carpet.

"It's certainly quite festive Dad," Drew told him.

"You've never looked better," Maddie chimed in.

"He looks like shite," R.J. said bluntly.

"Ronald Junior," Luna spun around on her son. "You don't use that sort of language around the children understand me?"

"Sorry Mum," R.J. said hastily.

"Can I take some of those back to school with me?" Saffron asked. "There's this Ravenclaw...."

"Free of charge to you, Saffron," George beamed at her. "Compliments of Weasley Wizarding Wheezes."

"You most certainly will not," Hermione said. "Saffron, you are a prefect and you should not be doing such things. No matter what this Ravenclaw might have done. You can be the bigger person here."

"But it's just a joke, Mum," Saffron said.

Hermione levelled a stern gaze at her youngest daughter.

"You know sometimes it's not so fun being your daughter," Saffron grumbled.

Andrew and R.J. both grinned at Saffron, who was still holding her new puppy in her arms. "Come on Saf, we'll help you think up a name."

"Okay," Saffron said walking away with her friend and boyfriend.

Harry set Emma down and she toddled over to her grandfather. She clapped her hands together. "Oooh! Pretty!"

"Pretty," Ron grumbled. "That's just great. I'm pretty."

"She's just saying that because purple is her favourite colour, Dad," Jon said.

"Pretty Gampa," Emma grinned at him. "Gampa princess!"

Fred and George nearly fell over themselves laughing.

"I hate you both," Ron said grumpily.

"All we did was tell you Mum had biscuits and you followed us out," George said with an innocent tone.

"And you didn't think that perhaps I'd like to know that eating those biscuits would turn my hair purple?" Ron asked sarcastically.

"No," Fred said simply. "Because you wouldn't have eaten them, Princess Ron."

"I really hate you both," Ron glared at his brothers. "I never did anything to you!"

"Little brother, we love you very much," George said putting an arm around him. "And you are the best guinea pig ever. We wouldn't be where we are today without you."

"I'll tell you where I wish you were," Ron began furiously.

"I think we have an idea," George said laughing.

"I know something that will make you feel better," Molly said. "How about we tuck in for a nice, big breakfast?"

"Come on Ron," Luna smiled at her husband reassuringly. "If it makes you feel better I'll have one of those biscuits too. I've always wanted purple and pink hair."

"It's okay," he told her. "No need for both of us to look like fools."

"You're my fool," she gave him a kiss.

Ron smiled. "Maybe having purple hair won't be that bad..."

"Pretty," Emma said again as she followed her grandparents into the kitchen.

Maddie laughed as she set the cage down on the coffee table. "This really is the best present ever, Ethan. Thank you so much."

"I'm glad you like it," Ethan wound his arms around her waist. "Anything for my Maddie Molly."

Maddie gave him a kiss. "I just have to think of a good name for him."

"You mean you weren't going to call him Dolly?" Ethan asked, pretending to be shocked.

Maddie laughed. "There was only one Dolly. And no matter how much this one looks like her, he's not Dolly. And I want to give him a good name – and a male name at that."

"You and Saf should brainstorm together," Ethan told her. "Both of you have to think of names."

"We probably should," Maddie said. "Come on then. I'm starving. Let's go get you a plate so I can eat off of it."

"Complete with Nana's chocolate chip muffins," Ethan said, giving her another kiss.

"My favourite," Maddie said taking his hand and leading him into the kitchen. She saw her younger brother laughing with Andrew and Saffron. She stopped in her tracks as she suddenly got an image of Saffron fighting with R.J.

"What's wrong?" Ethan said as she gripped his fingers tightly. "You having a vision, Mads?"

Maddie didn't say anything as she heard Saffron's voice in her head.

"....never, ever going to speak to you again, Ronald Weasley Junior....selfish.......broke Alexa's heart...."

"What?" she asked, squinting. "You did what R.J.?"

R.J. pulled a bemused face. "I'm not doing anything except eating, Maddie."

"Oh..." she said quietly, casting a confused look at Ethan.

"Everything okay?" he asked her.

"I think so..." she said.

Ethan took her hand and led her over to the two empty seats across from R.J. and Saffron.

"Is...Is everything okay with you and Alexa, R.J.?" Maddie asked.

"Everything's great," R.J. replied.

"Good," Maddie said with a slight smile.

"They're sickeningly sweet," Saffron teased.

"Like that mutt of yours," Ethan grinned. "Think of a name yet?"

"Not yet," Saffron replied. "I'm open to any suggestions though."

"If I think of any I'll let you know," Ethan rubbed the puppy's soft ears. "Mads has to think of a name for her new pixie."

"How about Fang?" Saffron asked jokingly. "I know it's got a set." she held up her finger which was still bandaged.

Maddie looked horrified. "Saffron..."

"It's okay," Saffron reassured her. "No permanent damage."

"Nah it didn't bite her in the head," Ethan teased.

"Oi, Fred! You want to slip one of those biscuits to my brother?" Saffron asked.

"Don't know if it would help him any," Fred replied with a straight face.

"It would certainly give us all a good laugh," Saffron said picking off a piece of her muffin and throwing it at Ethan.

Ethan caught it and Maddie plucked it from his fingers. "Chocolate chip," she smiled at him. "Thanks love."

Elinore watched the scene unfolding before her and couldn't help but feel a little wistful. Julie was sitting beside her and she couldn't help but recall a Christmas that seemed so long ago.

***

"Dad," Hermione laughed at Robert as he set a huge present in front of a three-year old Julie. "That box is bigger than she is!"

Robert grinned. "Wait until my little Jules sees what's in it."

Julie stared at the box with wide eyes not really sure of what to do.

"Want Grandpa to help?" Robert asked kneeling down beside her. Julie nodded and Robert helped her peel away the wrapping paper. Inside the box was a shiny, red tricycle.

"Dad that's brilliant!" Hermione said. "What do you say to Grandpa, sweetheart?"

"Thank yooooooooo!" Julie replied giving him a hug.

"For a hug like that I'd get you three more of these," Robert chuckled, kissing his granddaughter on her head.

"Ride?" Julie asked eagerly.

"Maybe later sweetheart," Harry said. "How about we open the rest of these presents first?"

Julie frowned. Robert pulled her into his lap. "You can help me open the present from your Grandma. How's that sound?"

"Okay," Julie agreed, her smile returning. She eagerly helped Robert tear away the wrapping paper.

"Oh Ellie!" Robert said smiling at his wife. He held up the silver watch.

"So you'll never be late for surgery," Elinore teased her husband.

Robert laughed and looked at the watch band. "All my love, Ellie" he read aloud.

"That's so sweet Mum," Hermione smiled. "Here we go Julie- here's one from Santa!"

"Okay Mummy," Julie slid off Robert's lap and sat down next to her mother, tearing eagerly into the box.

"Just like I asked for!" Julie exclaimed holding up the doll. "The very one Mummy!"

"He knows what a good girl you've been sweetheart," Hermione hugged her daughter.

"You know," Robert said to Harry as they watched Julie open another present. "It's hard to remember what Christmases were like before she came along. Isn't it?"

"Tell me about it," Harry said with a grin. "Having Jules has been the best."

"I hope you and Hermione didn't mind about the tricycle," Robert said. "I couldn't resist."

"Even if we had, did you see the look on her face?" Harry laughed. "We aren't going to be able to drag Julie off of it once the weather gets nice."

"Daddy look!" Julie exclaimed running over to him. "Santa brought me a teddy bear too! Just like the one Chiaki has!"

"Just the one you wanted right baby?" Harry asked, lifting her up.

Julie nodded and hugged him tightly.

Harry kissed his daughter's cheek. "Maybe if Grandpa says it's okay we can take your new tricycle down to the cellar so you can ride it." he said, tucking a stray curl behind her ear.

"Can we Grandpa?" Julie asked. "Please?"

"We sure can," Robert tweaked her nose.

Julie beamed at him. "Yay!"

"Too bad it's snowing," Lavender said looking out the window.

"And freezing," Hermione chimed in.

"You won't be able to ride this outside until it gets warmer Julie," Hermione told her daughter.

"Okay Mummy," Julie said.

Robert picked up his coffee mug and sat down beside his wife. "This is what it's all about Ellie. Family."

"That it is," she squeezed his hand. "And we've got a wonderful family."

"I'm so happy today that even your cantankerous father isn't going to bring me down," he said giving her a kiss.

"Robert," Elinore swatted his hand. "My father isn't cantankerous."

"I'd have to agree with Robert on that one," Harry said.

"Grandpa Malcolm is sweet," Lavender said. "In his own way..."

"He's sweet to you girls," Harry corrected.

"He's not that bad," Elinore said. "He's just protective."

"Of what?" Robert asked.

"His daughter and granddaughters," Elinore answered. "And great-granddaughter."

"He keeps calling me Henry," Harry said. "And asks me when I'm going to get a real job."

"He can't remember," Hermione replied. "He's in his late eighties, give him a break."

"It took him 10 years before he stopped calling me Richard," Robert said.

"So that means I have what, another five or six to go?" Harry asked with a grin.

"I love Grandpa Mal," Julie said. "He gives me sweets."

"You don't need any sweets," Harry scooped her back up.

"'cause I'm sweet already?" Julie asked giggling.

"That's right baby," Harry tickled her side.

"So cousin," Lavender said grinning at Hermione. "How's the baby making going?"

"Lavender..." Elinore said laughing. "Trust you to get right to the point."

"We're trying still," Hermione said, her smile slipping for a moment. "Still nothing though."

"It will happen," Lavender reassured her.

"I hope so," Hermione looked at her husband and daughter. "I want to give him a big family."

"Either way, I think he's happy with the family he has," Elinore said softly. "I know I am."

Hermione and Lavender both smiled at Elinore. "And we're glad we have you," Lavender put an arm around her aunt.

***

"Gran?" Julie asked waving a hand in front of her grandmother's face. She cast a worried look at Nick.

"I'm sorry," Elinore said breaking out of her reverie.

"You looked a million miles away just now," Julie said. "Are you all right?"

Elinore nodded. "I was just thinking about you when you were little."

Julie smiled. "What about?"

"Christmas," Elinore replied with a grin. "You were too young to remember this but it was the same Christmas that your grandpa gave you your first tricycle."

"No I remember that," Julie laughed. "The red one that I rode until it was falling apart!"

Elinore beamed at her. "That's the one."

"I loved that tricycle," Julie said. "It was one of my all time favourite gifts."

"He loved teaching you how to ride it," Elinore said smiling at the memory.

"To ride what?" Ashley asked, hearing the tail end of the conversation.

"A tricycle," Julie told her. "Your great-grandfather gave it to me when I was three."

"Was it like the one you and daddy gave me when I was little?" Ashley asked.

Julie nodded. "Very much like that one."

"Cool," Ashley replied, going back to her oatmeal.

Ron noticed his two granddaughters and Katie were staring at him transfixed.

"I can't wait until it turns pink," Caroline said giggling.

"I like it as purple," Katie was also giggling.

"Pretty," Emma nodded, her red curls bouncing. "Pretty!"

"I don't know how," Ron whispered to Luna. "I don't know where, but I'm going to get them back."

"Ronald it doesn't look THAT bad," Luna whispered back. "It could be spotted or striped--"

"Don't give them any more ideas," Ron hissed.

"Sorry," Luna gave him a kiss.

"I guess I'll just have to wear hats the next two days," Ron said helping himself to a couple more muffins.

"You might want to," Luna smiled at him. "And be careful of what you eat."

"Good idea," Ron said.

"After we finish eating, I'm going to take a nice long kip," R.J. said to Andrew and Saffron. "And then I'll pop over to Lex's to pick her up."

"Be really nice to her R.J.," Maddie said. "Okay?"

"I'm always nice to my girl Mad Dog," R.J. was giving her a strange look.

"She's good for you," Maddie said quietly. "I just don't want...I don't want anyone to get hurt."

"She won't get hurt by me," R.J. replied, stretching as he got up. "You two behave yourselves." he said to Saffron and Andrew.

"So," Ethan said giving Andrew a hard stare. "Who are you exactly and what are your intentions toward my little sister?"

"Ethan," Saffron hissed. "Knock it off."

Ethan ignored her. "Just so you know, she can be a bit tetchy, Andrew. And she has this annoying habit of..."

Saffron kicked her brother's leg as hard as she could and was rewarded by his grunt of pain.

"Violence," Ethan finished clutching his leg under the table.

"Never mind him, Andrew," Maddie told him. "He's known to carry the big brother act a bit too far."

"It's okay," Andrew replied. "You should really be after her ex. The idiot cheated on her."

"You didn't tell me that, Saffy," Ethan said levelling his gaze at his sister.

"It's not really something I want to rehash, thank you very much." Saffron replied. "He was a jerk; I ended things, and got someone better."

"You know I worry about you," Ethan said seriously. "I know I give you a hard time, but if anyone ever messes with you, I'll crush them. You know that, right?"

"Yes I know," Saffron said sweetly. "But I'm fine, and things with Andrew here are fine, so you have nothing to worry about." she held her new puppy with one hand and grabbed Andrew's with the other. "Come on."

Andrew stood up and followed her out of the kitchen.

"He certainly seems to like her a lot," Maddie watched them go. "Did you see the bracelet he gave her? Very sweet..."

"I'm still trying to get used to my baby sister dating actually," Ethan said. "But he does seem like a nice bloke and he's R.J.'s best mate."

"This is how it was for Josh, Jon and R.J. when you and I started seeing each other," Maddie smiled at him as she gathered some crumbs together to feed her new pixie.

"I still remember them going all big brother on me in Brighton," Ethan said laughing.

"Saffron knows you care," Maddie assured him as she began to clear some plates from the table. "And I think you're very sweet."

"I think I'm rather sweet too," Ethan said helping her clear things away.

Josh looked across the table at his brother. "You two still coming over for dinner tomorrow night?"

"Of course," Allison replied. "We're looking forward to it."

Jon frowned. Tomorrow night, he was to start his new job. "I don't think I'll be able to make it actually."

"Why not?" Allison turned to look at him.

"Something's come up," Jon lied. "There's a client of mine who wants some extra lessons."

"The day after Christmas?" Allison asked incredulously.

"They're paying extra," Jon said, shifting uncomfortably on the seat.

"At night?" Josh asked. "I didn't think you taught lessons at night, Jon?"

"It's more of a late afternoon thing, but they're paying me really well for a long lesson," Jon said, starting to feel a bit snappish. "What's with the third degree? It's just a flying lesson!"

"We just wanted to show you the new house," Josh said quickly wondering what his brother's problem was.

"I'm sure I can see your nice, big house another time," Jon said pushing back from his chair. "I'm going for a walk."

"It's freezing out Jon," Allison said in a concerned tone.

"I'll take my cloak," Jon said without looking back.

"Did I say something wrong?" Josh asked once Jon was gone.

"No," Allison replied. "He's been distracted lately. It's nothing you did or said Josh. Really."

"Well if there's anything we can do--" Josh began but Allison shook her head.

"We're fine," Allison assured him.

"You can still come over, can't you?" Lizzy asked. "I cannot wait to show you the nursery!"

"I'll come over with the girls," Allison promised. "Beats spending the night alone."

"Great," Lizzy said smiling at her. "And we'll even save a plate for Jon."

"Mummy can I pleeeeeeeeeeease turn my hair purple?" Caroline begged.

"Em too!" Emma chimed in. "Em too!"

Allison shook her head. "Caroline, I don't want to see you with purple hair for the next two days."

"Sometimes it's not fun being your daughter," Caroline said much like Saffron had said earlier in the sitting room.

Allison laughed. "You just soaked all that up earlier didn't you?" she asked, pulling her daughters into her arms.

Caroline nodded. "Can I go find Daddy, then?"

"He went for a walk," Allison said. "I thought you and Katie were going to play tea party."

"We were," Caroline said yawning. "But I'm kind of sleepy."

"Why don't you go have a kip then love?" Allison asked. "I'll wake you up in a few hours."

"Okay," Caroline said giving Allison a hug. "Come on Katie, let's go kip."

"Okay," Katie replied.

"Mama, Em hungry!" Emma held onto her mother's legs.

"You just ate baby," Allison told her. "You're still hungry?"

"Eat!" Emma proclaimed.

"Allie, she's a Weasley," Ron said with a grin.

"Yes, she is," Allison said laughing.

"What kind of dog did your parents say this was again?" Andrew asked with a laugh, tossing a ball of wrapping paper across the floor and watching the puppy run after it.

"Puggle," Saffron answered. "And he's the most adorable thing I've ever seen."

"Yeah he is pretty cute," Andrew said as the puppy flopped down in front of them. "Come on Saf, what are you going to call him?"

"I don't know," Saffron said shaking her head. "This is so hard. I don't know how parents to do it."

"Can't be that hard," Andrew grinned at her, running his hand down her arm.

She smiled back. "Well I have been toying with a few names."

"Don't keep me in suspense," he said, leaning in to kiss her.

Saffron kissed him softly. "Okay, well...this is just off the top of my head, but Sam, Puddles, Pumpkin, Harmony, Brownie, Biscuit...."

"Puddles sounds like a good name," Andrew said, sliding his arm around her.

"You think so?" Saffron asked pleased.

"Seems fitting," Andrew said, lifting one of the puppy's oversized paws. "With those big eyes and whatnot."

"Right," Saffron agreed. "Puddles, it is."

"Hey buddy," Andrew said, laughing. "Come here Puddles! You like your name?"

The puppy plopped down on Andrew's lap and let out a small bark.

"I think he does," Saffron said resting her head on Andrew's shoulder.

"This is great," Andrew said after a moment. "Just sitting in here with you like this."

"I think so too," Saffron whispered. "This is pretty close to perfect."

"This... this isn't rebound or anything is it?" Andrew asked hesitantly. "Your way of getting over what happened with Peter?"

Saffron lifted her head off of his shoulder. "No," she said. "Of course not, Andrew. I would never do that."

"Okay," he said. "Just making sure..."

"You kind of took me by surprise," she said. "I mean, one day you're R.J.'s best friend and the next, you're kissing me in the common room."

"I had an eye for you since the beginning of the year," Andrew said. "And I couldn't wait to kiss you again after that one night."

"And I kept avoiding you," Saffron said touching his arm. "I'm so sorry."

"Nah I understand now," Andrew said. "You didn't want to cheat on your boyfriend."

"If only I had known what an arse he really was," Saffron said quietly.

"Yeah but at least you found out before you got too far into the relationship..." Andrew said, tucking a stray hair behind her ear.

"I just feel like such an idiot for not seeing before," Saffron said.

"According to R.J., he used to be really nice." Andrew mused. "And-- wait... why are we sitting here talking about him? We're all alone in the sitting room here. By all rights we should be snogging." he grinned.

"Exactly," Saffron said giggling. "There's better ways to spend our time than talking about old what's-his-name."

"Right," Andrew leaned in and pressed his lips to hers.

Saffron looped her arms around Andrew's neck and deepened the kiss.

He loosened her hair from the ponytail she'd thrown it back in that morning and swept his fingers through her curly strands. "Saffy," he breathed, kissing the side of her neck.

"Andrew," she whispered, tilting her head so he'd get better access. He really was amazing at this, she thought.

Kissing her felt so familiar, like he'd been doing it for ages and not just a few days. He kissed her fully on the mouth again, turning so that he could pull her closer.

She knew this was risky with her parents being in the next room, but that was part of the fun---the risk of being caught.

"You are incredible at this you know," he breathed, pulling away slightly. His hands were still tangled in her hair, her lips swollen and her eyes were dazed.

"It helps when you really fancy the boy," she said with a grin.

"So you really fancy me now eh?" he asked, his blue eyes teasing. "Especially since I gave you jewellery?"

She giggled. "That certainly helped your case."

He tickled her side. "We're going to have so much fun the rest of this term," he said to her.

"Your last months at Hogwarts should be the best," Saffron said kissing him.

"With you they definitely will be," Andrew said softly.

Several hours later, just after lunch, R.J. arrived back at The Burrow with Alexa in tow. "Your dad was pretty scary back there," he said. "Making sure there was none of 'that sleeping stuff' and whatnot while you were over here."

"He was just giving you a hard time," Alexa assured him. "He wouldn't have let me come over if he was really cross about it."

"I just don't want them to hate me now," R.J. squeezed her hand.

"They don't," Alexa said smiling at him. She saw R.J.'s father sitting in the kitchen with Arthur. "R.J.? Why does your father have purple hair?"

"Long story," R.J. said with a broad grin. "But I bet he'd feel better if you gave him that fudge.”

"I should go in and say hello," Alexa said following him into the kitchen.

"Happy Christmas, Mr. Weasley," she said warmly.

"Hello, Alexa," Ron smiled at her. "Don't mind my appearance; my brothers thought it would be fun to play a Christmas prank on me."

"It's okay," Alexa said. "I've come to expect the unexpected when I come here."

"Smart girl," Arthur said smiling at her.

"And I have something for you Mr. Weasley," she said to Arthur. "This is from my dad's office. You can push a couple of these buttons and it will record your voice."

"Well I'll say," Arthur was delighted. "Thank you dear!"

"You're very welcome, sir," Alexa said grinning at him. A small brown dog came running at her.

"Puddles!" Saffron called after him. "Lex!"

"Saffy, you got a dog!" Alexa squealed.

Saffron nodded and gave her best friend a hug. "Isn't he the cutest thing ever?"

"And you named him Puddles?" Alexa laughed. "That's adorable. Happy Christmas!"

"Look at what Andrew gave me!" Saffron said holding up her arm.

"That's gorgeous," Alexa said, her eyes wide. "Wow Saf..."

"I know," Saffron said. "I take it you haven't received your presents yet..."

"Presents?" Alexa asked looking at R.J. "More than one?"

"Come on, they're in the sitting room." R.J. took her hand. "Ethan and Maddie took the kids ice skating so at least we have some time to ourselves."

"Hi, Andrew," Alexa smiled at him as she followed R.J. in. "Happy Christmas."

Andrew grinned. "Happy Christmas, Lexie."

Alexa smiled at her best friend as she and Puddles sat down next to Andrew who put his arm around her. "I have presents for you lot as well," she said.

"I have something for you too!" Saffron said smiling at her.

"Mine first though," R.J. grinned.

"By all means," Saffron said grinning at Andrew.

Alexa sat down on the other sofa and watched as R.J. picked up her presents from under the tree.

"I didn't know you were getting me two things," she whispered to R.J. "I only got you one--"

"You only got me one?" R.J. asked pretended to be outraged. "Well, some girlfriend you are!"

"R.J.," Alexa said. "Come on, I feel really bad."

"You shouldn't feel bad," he said handing her the first present. "Come on, open up."

"Okay," she said, peeling back the wrapping paper. "R.J.!" she shrieked. "It's the music box!"

"With the way you were looking at it in the shop, how could I not have gotten it for you...?” R.J. said smiling at her.

Alexa threw her arms around her boyfriend. "Thank you so much," she said her eyes shiny. "You've no idea what this means to me."

"I think I'm getting an idea," he said hugging her back. "I love you, Lexie."

"I love you too," she kissed him.

"Open up the other one," Saffron urged her, her head on Andrew's shoulder.

R.J. handed her the smaller box. "I hope you like this one too."

Alexa shook her head as she opened it. "I can't imagine not liking anything you give me," she said softly as she revealed an ornate silver locket.

"She's not talking," R.J. said after Alexa's lower lip began to tremble. "Saf, is that a good sign?"

"Yes," Saffron grinned. "Lex, speak. Tell him you love it."

"I---I love it," Alexa whispered. "It's so beautiful."

"Open it up," R.J. urged her, balling the wrapping paper and tossing it at the puppy.

"You already put pictures in it?" Alexa asked.

R.J. grinned. "Just open it," he insisted.

"Okay," she said unclasping the locket. "R.J...."

"What did he put in there?" Saffron came up on her other side. "That's so sweet!" she cooed.

"That's when we were in Brighton," Alexa said smiling at him.

"Yup," R.J. was pleased.

"He's making me look bad," Andrew teased.

"Not bloody likely," Saffron laughed, sitting back in his lap as Puddles jumped over to her.

"Thank you so much," Alexa said giving R.J. another kiss. "Will you put it on for me?"

"Sure will," R.J. said, pushing her hair over her shoulder. "Looks great on you."

"Now it's your turn," Alexa said leaning over and reaching into her bag. "I really hope you like it."

"I'm sure I will," R.J. grinned at her as Alexa handed gifts to Saffron and Andrew as well.

"Okay Casanova you get to go first," Saffron said.

"Who?" R.J. asked her. "Who's that?"

"Casanova was a great lover," Saffron rolled her eyes. "Pick up a book sometime R.J.”

"I pick up books," R.J. said defensively. "All the time..."

"If they're Quidditch books," Andrew teased his friend.

"That's not all," R.J. said. "I read a book this morning."

"Dr. Seuss," Saffron said laughing. "To Emma."

"Okay," Alexa was laughing too. "Come on, everyone open up." She'd gotten a book for Saffron that she knew her best friend had been wanting, and a Quidditch gift slip for Andrew, but she was most eager to see what R.J. thought of his gift.

R.J. peeled away the wrapping paper. "Okay, Lexie...let's see what you got for me...."

Alexa bit her lip nervously- she hoped he liked the camera she'd gotten for him. Saffron had helped her pick it out in Diagon Alley.

"Lex!" R.J. exclaimed when he opened the box. "I have been wanting this camera for ages!"

A relieved smile broke out on her face. "So you really like it then?"

"I do," he said. "In fact...how about I take the first picture?"

"Not of me," Saffron squealed. "I look awful!"

"You look pretty," Andrew said. "Come on..."

"All of you sit close together on the sofa," R.J. instructed. "There you go...."

"Puddles," Saffron was laughing. "Come here you little monster."

Saffron's puppy hopped into her lap.

R.J. looked through the lens. "Okay. One, two..."

The three of them were laughing as R.J. took the picture. "That'll be a good one," Andrew said.

"I think so," R.J. said setting the camera down and joining them on the sofa.

"I hope we'll always be as happy as we are right now," Alexa said softly resting her head on his shoulder.

"One big happy family?" R.J. teased, nudging her side.

"Something like that," Alexa said with a content sigh.

"Well look at the four of you," Harry came into the room with a grin. "Knackered again?"

"It's hard work opening up presents," Saffron said with a yawn.

"Happy Christmas, Mr. Potter," Alexa said.

"You too, Alexa," Harry smiled at her. "Always nice to have you around."

Alexa smiled at him. It had been quite intimidating the first time she'd met Saffron's parents. How could it not have been? But, they'd quickly put her at ease and were just like any other parents.

"Your Mum is going to take your grandmother home," Harry said.

"But why?" Saffron asked, worry etched across her features. "Is Gran not having any fun, Dad?"

"I think she sort of wants to be alone," Harry replied. "This is tough for her, Saffy."

"I feel terrible," Saffron said quietly. "I should have spent more time with her today. Where is she?"

"She's in the kitchen," Harry said.

Saffron excused herself and walked into the kitchen. Hermione was hugging Elinore who looked as if she'd been crying.

"Gran," Saffron whispered.

"Hello, sweetheart," Elinore replied, smiling tearfully at her.

Saffron hugged her grandmother. "Please don't cry."

"I just miss your grandfather so much," Elinore kissed the top of Saffron's head.

"I know," Saffron said feeling guilty for not paying more attention to her grandmother. "Don't go, Gran."

"I really just want to be alone sweetheart," Elinore replied.

"But you shouldn't be!" Saffron argued. "You should be with your family. Grandpa wouldn't want you sitting at home alone. He'd want you here with us."

"Saffron," Hermione said gently. "If your Gran wants to go home, don't barrage her with all this okay?"

"I'll go with her then," Saffron offered. "We can go back home and watch some telly. What's that old movie Grandpa likes so much? We'll watch that one."

"No Saffy- you stay here with your friends and have fun." Elinore patted her hand. "I'll be all right."

"I want to go with you," Saffron said firmly. "My friends will understand."

"Sweetheart, your Gran wants to be alone," Hermione said in her don't-argue-with-me tone.

"Okay," Saffron said hugging her grandmother again. "I'm so sorry, Gran."

"You've been wonderful Saffron Grace," Elinore said, hugging her back.

Molly came forward and handed Hermione a basket. "I put a little bit of everything in there for you, Elinore. I'm so glad you could come over today. It wouldn't have been the same without you."

"Thank you, Molly," Elinore said. "You're very generous."

"I'm just going to make sure Mum is settled in," Hermione told Harry. "I'll be back soon."

"Sure you don't want me to go with you?" Harry asked.

"We'll be fine," Hermione said. "And Lavender and Seamus are home..."

"Right," Harry gave his wife a kiss and then pecked Elinore's cheek. "Come on over this week for dinner." he said to her.

"I will," Elinore promised.

"Bye, Gran," Saffron said again. "I'm really sorry I haven't been around more."

"Don't apologise for getting on with your life," Elinore said kissing her cheek.

"Maybe me and Andrew can come over for dinner before we go back to school so you can get to know him," Saffron said with a smile.

"I'd like that," Elinore said.

"I'll talk to Andrew then," Saffron said. "Happy Christmas, Gran. And if you need anything please tell me okay?"

Elinore nodded and followed Hermione out of the kitchen.

Saffron shuffled back into the sitting room and plopped back down on the sofa.

"Everything okay?" Alexa asked.

"My Gran left," Saffron replied softly.

"She doesn't seem to be doing so well," R.J. commented. "She looked a little lost and sad all day."

"She really misses Grandpa," Saffron answered as Puddles scampered onto her lap again.

"Anything we can do?" Andrew asked.

Saffron shook her head. "Nothing that I can do for her either."

"Saf," Alexa said gently.

"I'll be okay," Saffron wiped at her eyes.

"If you need to talk..." Alexa offered.

"Thanks, Lex," Saffron smiled at her as she used a tissue to blot at her tears. "Man and I was doing so good again too- no crying for at least a week!"

"It takes some time to get over," R.J. said.

"R.J.'s right," Andrew said putting an arm around her.

"I'm really glad I have you guys," Saffron said to all of them.

"Of course you are," R.J. said trying to get her to laugh. "We're very cool people."

"They are," Saffron motioned to Alexa and Andrew. "I don't know about you."

"I'm very cool," R.J. said puffing out his chest.

Saffron shook her head and smiled. "You're the Master of Cheese is what you are." she tossed a sofa cushion at him.

"I thought I was that Cassandra person," R.J. said throwing the pillow back at her.

"Casanova, you dolt," Saffron said, as Alexa and Andrew burst into laughter.

"Cassandra!" Andrew cackled.

"There's R.J.'s new name," Saffron giggled. "Cassandra Weasley."

"Shut it, Potter," R.J. said glaring at her. "That is not my new name."

Puddles barked as R.J. moved off the sofa.

"See even the dog knows," Saffron said, new tears coming to her eyes as she laughed harder.

"At least I'm not named after a spice," R.J. said.

"I was named after a Muggle actress both my parents liked," Saffron tossed her hair.

"Who has a name that is a spice," R.J. said. "It could have been worse. You could have been named Paprika or Nutmeg. Paprika Potter...."

Saffron tossed the pillow at him again but harder this time.

"No, no," R.J. said chuckling. "Oregano. Cinnamon. Pepper Potter."

"You're really asking for it," Saffron narrowed her eyes.

"Come on, Pepper," R.J. said devilishly getting to his feet. "I like them spicy!"

"Say that to your girlfriend not me," Saffron retorted.

R.J. ran around the sofa. "You always were slow."

Saffron leapt up behind him, catching the back of his shirt. "Say that to the person who isn't your best seeker," she pulled him back.

"Is that the best that you got?" R.J. asked. "You're going to rip my shirt, Saffy!"

Andrew and Alexa were laughing too hard to do anything else.

"Gerroff me!" R.J. said laughing. "Saf..."

"Take it back," Saffron said, giggling.

"Take what back?" R.J. asked. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"The fact that you called her a spice, Cassandra," Andrew said cheekily. "That's what she wants you to take back."

"All right fine," R.J. said. "I take it back so stop choking me already..."

"Okay," Saffron said letting go. "And I happen to like my name. It's different and unique."

"Yeah, like thank goodness there's only one of you," R.J. returned, grinning.

"At least I'm well-read," Saffron said. "Cassandra? I swear you really need to broaden your horizons, R.J.”

"I'm sure I have the book somewhere," Alexa said. "I'll make him read it."

"Before you ask R.J.," Saffron teased. "It doesn't have pictures."

"You know him too well," Andrew replied.

"You know, I happen to be a very smart bloke," R.J. said defensively.

"I'm not even going to respond to that," Saffron said, sitting back on the sofa.

"I am," R.J. said. Jon walked back into the house at that moment. "Jon, tell them that I'm one of the smartest people in the family!"

"What?" Jon asked distractedly.

"That I'm smart," R.J. repeated.

"I guess," Jon replied, hanging up his cloak and heading up to his bedroom.

Allison was in the bedroom Caroline and Emma were staying in when she saw her husband walk by.

"Jon?" she asked.

"Hey," he said, stopping in the door. "What's up?"

"I was just tidying up," Allison replied. "Caroline, Emma and Katie made quite a mess. Ethan and Maddie took the girls ice skating."

When Jon didn't say anything else, Allison looked up. "You were gone for quite awhile, Jon. Is everything okay?"

"I'm fine," Jon answered quickly. "Just needed to clear my head a bit. I didn't sleep well last night."

Allison knew her husband well enough to know something was definitely not right. "Lizzy and Josh were really looking forward to showing us their new house, Jon."

"I'll come over another time okay Al?" Jon snapped. "Someone's got to make the money around the house you know."

Allison didn't know what to say to this. "But couldn't you postpone it? I'm sure your client wouldn't mind--"

"I can't all right? I wish you'd just drop it," Jon continued down the hall towards their room.

"Jon--" she called after him. "I think we need to talk about this. You were very rude at breakfast to Josh and Lizzy and then you leave for the better part of the day. You come back and you bite my head off for just suggesting something. What's going on?"

"Nothing," Jon shut the door to the loo behind him.

"Jon!" Allison said knocking on the door. When he didn't answer, Allison let out a groan of frustration.

Jon took a few deep breaths to calm down. A few moments later, he opened the door. "Look Allie," he began in a more docile tone. "I can't cancel. This is a very important client for me. I'll just have to do dinner another time, and you'll all just have to accept that."

"Okay," Allison said quietly. "Just promise me that if something's bothering you, you'll talk to me about it. Don't shut me out."

"Fine," Jon replied. "I'm sorry Al. I didn't mean to get angry with you."

Allison smiled. "It's okay."

"My Allie," he said, pulling her into his arms, resting his forehead against hers.

"Always," she said smiling at him. "Your hands are cold. You forgot to bring your gloves, didn't you?"

"I never remember those," he said with a grin.

"That's why you have me around," she said giving him a kiss.

*** *** ***

88. Chapter 88

Authors’ note: This chapter was going to include Ethan and Maddie, but the chapter itself was long. Therefore, you get E/M at the beginning of Tuesday’s chapter. Without further ado, here is New Year’s Eve---with a little flashback of Ron/Luna.

After spending the previous New Year's Eve at a formal ball, Harry, Hermione, Ron, Luna, Cho, and Neville opted to spend this year having a quiet evening at the Longbottom's house. Neville and Harry had prepared dinner and now they were all sitting around the table laughing and talking.

"Puddles is certainly living up to his name," Harry told his friends. "Saffy swears she's training him..."

"But he's so cute Harry," Cho said. "And he was a perfect angel for us."

"Saffy wants to write Dumbledore personally to see if he'll let her take him back to school," Hermione said.

"I doubt he'll let her," Harry said. "He lets one person do it he'll have to let everyone.

"They let you have cats," Luna said. "You'd think they'd let you have dogs too...."

"And they let me have Trevor," Neville said referring to his toad.

"Wasn't it that you could have an owl, cat or toad?" Cho asked.

"Right," Luna said nodding.

"It was the same at Beauxbatons," Hermione said. "I had a cat."

"Maybe they'll let her bring him," Harry shrugged. "But I'm not counting on it."

"I doubt it," Hermione said. "Those rules have been in place for hundreds of years. They're not going to change for our 15 year old no matter how persuasive she might be."

"More wine?" Cho asked.

"Love some," Hermione held up her glass. "Thanks, Cho."

"I've got to tell you Harry, it really meant a lot to me that Ethan came and spoke with me about proposing," Ron said.

Harry grinned broadly. "I can't believe he's finally going ahead with it. Took him long enough, aye?"

"There's a lot to be said for waiting," Ron said looking at Luna. "I was the same way."

Neville laughed. "Ron I remember you telling us about that night. Everything that could go wrong did..."

***

Ron looked at his watch. It was nearly six and Luna would be arriving home from work at any moment. Paddington followed him from room to room as he dashed around the flat trying to get everything just right.

"Do you think she'll say yes?" he asked looking down at the dog.

Paddington wagged his tail as his tongue flopped out of his mouth.

"Yeah I bet she'll say yes," Ron said, running his hands through his hair.

Ron changed into his best suit and heard Luna's key in the front door. He grabbed the single pink rose from the bed and rushed out to greet her. When he saw her, he couldn't help flinching.

"I feeb terruble," Luna mumbled setting her bag down and then blowing her nose with a tissue.

"You're sick?" he heard himself asking before he could stop himself.

"Whab gabe it away?" Luna asked shrugging out of her coat.

Ron felt his spirits deflate a little bit. "Well um... why don't I make you a cup of tea," he offered. "You go lie down on the sofa."

Luna nodded. "Why are you dressed ub?"

"I... guess I thought we could go out but not anymore," Ron sheepishly handed her the flower.

"Oh thanks," Luna said taking it, her eyes were drooping and she looked like all she wanted to do was lie down. "I'm sorry, Robald."

"It's okay," he smiled at her. "Go on in the sitting room. I'll be there in a minute with your tea."

She gave him a half-hearted smile before departing for the sitting room.

Ron had spent the last two weeks working up the nerve to do this and on this night, of all nights, she was sick.

He kicked the cupboard door with his foot as he went into the kitchen and made his girlfriend some tea. He put a touch of honey in there and a sprig of the rosemary she kept in a jar by the sink- for some reason that was her favourite way to take her tea.

A few moments later, he came back into the sitting room to see Luna covered up in a blanket, Paddington on her lap. "Here you are..." he said setting the cup on the coffee table.”Just like you like it."

"Thank you," she mumbled. "I'm really sorry..." she said stuffily.

"It's not your fault," he said brushing her hair off of her face. "Why didn't you come home sooner if you felt so bad?"

"I had an important meeting," Luna answered, rubbing her eyes.

Ron nodded. "I'm just going to get out of this suit and cancel our reservation. I'll be right back."

He hastily beat a retreat for the bedroom and cursed his stupid, dumb luck. This would never happen to Harry. Even Neville had managed to pull off a romantic proposal.

Luna sipped at her tea and smiled. Ron always made it just right for her. She felt bad that her being sick obviously ruined something he had planned.

Ron came out of the bedroom in an old sweatshirt and jeans. He smiled at her. "I'm going to run to the chemist and pick up some medicine for you."

"You don't have to do that," Luna protested.

"I do," Ron said quickly. He hoped that Harry and Hermione had some cold remedies at their cottage because that was exactly where he was headed.

"You're good to me Ron," Luna smiled weakly at him.

He kissed her on the forehead. "Get some rest. I'll be back soon."

"Okay," Luna said, snuggling down and resting her head on Paddington's stomach.

Ron gave her one last look before disapparating.

At the Potter cottage, Hermione had just finished feeding Julie.

"Did you make a mess baby girl?" Hermione asked, laughing.

"Daddy to the rescue," Harry said handing his wife a towel.

"Thanks love," Hermione said, wiping off her daughter's cheeks. "Julie got cereal all over!" she grinned at the happy baby.

There was a pounding on the front door that caused Hermione to jump.

"What on earth?" she asked looking at Harry.

Harry tucked his wand into his pocket. "I'll get it," he said, a frown creasing his brow.

Ron didn't even give his friend a chance to speak once Harry had opened the door.

"She's sick Harry!" Ron exclaimed. "Of all bloody nights! THE night. The very night when I was going to propose. Me! Sick as a dog. As in no fancy restaurant, no expensive champagne...."

"Whoa Ron," Harry said. "Slow down mate."

"All that planning you helped me with was for nothing," Ron said stalking inside the house.

"Ron," Harry shut the door. "Come on, you can still propose."

"When she's sick?" Ron asked incredulously. "Oh that's something I'm sure the grandchildren will love to hear. How did you propose to Grandma, Granddad? Oh, she was doped up on cough syrup..."

Hermione came in the room carrying Julie. "What are you doing here Ron? I thought you were proposing to Luna tonight?"

"So did I," Ron said sullenly.

"She didn't say no did she?" Hermione asked, horrified.

"No, I haven't asked her yet," Ron said explaining for Hermione how Luna had arrived home sick.

"Well, I don't see why you can't still ask her," Hermione pointed out, shifting Julie to her other hip. "I mean, she's sick but it can still be romantic."

"How?" Ron asked her.

"You could put the ring in a box of tissues," Harry joked.

"Harry," Hermione frowned. "Well... I don't think that Luna needs any sort of set up Ron. She loves you and she'll just be thrilled to become your wife without any fuss or frills. Anything you do in her eyes is romantic."

"You really think so?" Ron asked.

"Of course," Hermione smiled at him.

"So when you asked Hermione..." Ron said to Harry. "How'd you ask? Did you just cut to the chase? Or did you say something poetic and romantic and sappy?"

"We started off at a restaurant," Harry said, taking Julie from Hermione. "And then we left, and we stopped at this park on the way home..."

"He sort of came right out and asked me," Hermione said fondly.

"Just like that?" Ron asked in surprise. "I would have thought he'd have given you some long, drawn out speech..."

"He didn't need to," Hermione smiled at her husband, who was patting Julie's back.

"So even if she's sick, I should just go ahead and do it?" Ron asked uncertainly.

"Why not?" Harry asked.

"I just wanted everything to be perfect for her," Ron said.

"Ron, the thing you should realise is that YOU are already perfect for her," Hermione told him.

"Really?" Ron asked in a quiet voice.

"Definitely mate," Harry grinned. "Go on back home and ask her."

"Even Julie thinks it's a good idea," Hermione said holding up Julie's little hand and waving it at Ron.

"All right," Ron said. "Thanks you two." he pulled his cloak on. "Oh... do either of you have any potion I could give her for a cold?" he asked sheepishly.

"Sure," Hermione said handing Julie off to Harry again. "Be right back."

"Great," he said, relieved. "Maybe this night won't be a total bust after all."

"She loves you Ron," Harry assured his best friend. "There's no way she's going to say no."

"I hope not," Ron said. "I always manage to make a mess of things somehow..."

"That's part of your charm," Harry said as Hermione came back into the room. She handed Ron two bottles. "That red one should help her sleep and the other one is a decongestant."

"You are the best," Ron kissed her cheek. "Thanks."

"Good luck," Hermione said smiling at him. "And tell Luna we hope she feels better."

"I will," Ron grinned at Julie, who was cooing at him.

Back at the flat, Luna was half asleep and wondering what was taking Ron so long at the chemist. It was just down the street after all.

It was warm in the room from the fire blazing and she blinked as a hand shook her shoulder gently. "Hmm?" she asked. "Ronald?"

"Hiya," he said softly. "How are you feeling?"

"Okay," Luna sat up a little, her blonde hair falling into her face. "I think I dozed off there..."

Ron sat down on the edge of the sofa. "Well, the question is do you want to breathe or do you want to sleep?" He held up the two bottles.

"Breathing sounds nice right about now," Luna gave him a sleepy smile. "I'm already a bit knackered."

"Okay," Ron said. "You stay right here and I'm going to get a glass. Be right back."

"You're the best," Luna said, sneezing again.

Ron hurried into the kitchen and grabbed a glass from the cabinet all the while trying to psych himself up for what he was about to ask her.

"Okay," Ron said juggling the glass in his hand deciding to practise before he went out there and asked her. "Luna, these past couple of years have been fantastic and I never that you..." the glass slipped in his hand and crashed to the floor shattering into a hundred pieces.”Shite! Bloody fuck..!"

"Ronald?" Luna asked from the sitting room. "What happened?"

"FUCK," Ron swore again as Paddington came loping into the room. "No boy, stay back." he said.

Paddington looked up at Ron, but did stay back. Ron stood up and looked around for his wand so he could clean up the mess.

"What happened?" Luna asked, standing in the doorway.

"Don't come any closer!" he ordered. "All I need is for you to come in here and trip or cut yourself on the glass...."

"All right," Luna replied vaguely. "I just thought you might be hurt."

"Not yet," Ron muttered. "But the night's still young."

Luna looked at him for a long moment. "Is there something you want to tell me Ronald?" she asked, rubbing at her nose.

"Run for your life," Ron said picking up his wand and waving it at the shattered glass on the floor. "I am a menace not only to myself, but to you. I mean, our first date, I nearly blinded you. And now on the most important night of my life, I can't even ask you to marry me without nearly destroying you, the flat..."

"What?" Luna asked, wide eyed. "You want to ask me... what?"

Ron paled. "Damn it! Forget you heard that...."

"Ronald," Luna stepped closer. "You want to get married?" tears shimmered in her blue eyes. "To me?"

Ron nodded. "Very much so. I even have a ring, if you can believe that."

She smiled. "Can I see it?" she whispered.

"It's in the bedroom," he replied. "Um, wait right here."

"I won't move," she promised.

Ron smiled and ran for the bedroom. He pulled the ring box out of his suit jacket. "Please, please like the ring," he whispered to himself.

True to her word, Luna was still waiting in the doorway of the kitchen. Wordlessly, Ron handed her the box, his hand shaking slightly.

"Oh..." the words died on her lips as she looked at the ring. "This is... Ron this is the most beautiful ring I've ever seen..."

"I'm so glad you like it," Ron said smiling at her. "Cho helped me pick it out."

"It's lovely," Luna said, crying freely.

"So," Ron said getting down on one knee. "We should do this properly. Luna, you are the best thing to ever happen to me. I don't deserve someone as wonderful, beautiful and sweet as you, but I'd be incredibly honoured if you'd marry me."

"Yes," Luna threw herself at him, sobbing. "Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes!"

Ron wrapped his arms around her and held her tight. "Five yesses seems to be a good response I think."

"Ron I love you so much," Luna said, forgetting about her cold as she kissed him.

"I'm sorry it took so long," Ron said in between kisses.

"I don't care," Luna said dreamily. "I'm with you and that's all that matters to me."

"Even all stuffed up and congested you are still the most beautiful woman in the world to me," Ron said swinging her around.

Luna clasped her arms around his neck. "I get to be Mrs. Ronald Weasley," she said happily.

"You may live to regret that decision," Ron said laughing.

"Never," she said, giving him another kiss as he slipped the ring onto her finger.

"Okay," he said. "Now it's official. You're stuck with me for the rest of your life."

***

"Have you regretted it since?" Harry asked Luna with a wicked grin.

"Not once," Luna said staring at her husband with a dreamy expression.

"And she wasn't doped up on potion," Hermione reminded Ron.

"Not until after that," Ron snorted. "We both had to take it- she gave me her bloody cold."

"And we spent a week in bed," Luna said.

"Too much information," Cho covered her ears jokingly. "That's like when the rabbits start to go at it in front of us."

"We never go at it in front of you," Hermione said defensively. "You act like we shag in front of you lot."

"You would if we said we didn't mind," Neville said, coming out with another bottle of wine.

"We most certainly would not!" Hermione said indignantly.

"I don't know about that," Harry grinned wickedly.

"We wouldn't," Hermione said hitting him in the arm.

"No, Hermione," Cho rolled her eyes. "I think Harry definitely would."

"He did some pretty kinky stuff with that Isabella Marconi," Ron said. "I remember one time catching him and her in the boathouse..."

Neville tossed the wine cork at Ron. "Enough with letting your mouth run away with you, Weasley," he said.

"There was that time you caught him in Dursley's office with her," Ron said throwing the cork back at Neville.

Harry glared at both of them. "At least at that point I was getting some." Hermione hit him hard on the shoulder. "Ow!"

"With a complete tart," Hermione said. "And in your uncle's office?"

"Desecration," Harry shrugged. "I much preferred it in the lake with you."

"I bet Dursley's office was the only place the two of you didn't do it," Cho said laughing.

"Most likely," Harry pulled his wife onto his lap and kissed her.

"Cover your eyes," Ron said doing just that.

"It's nothing you haven't seen before Ronnie," Harry grinned evilly.

"It's not something I want to see now," Ron said rolling his eyes.

"Come on," Cho said. "Let's take our wine into the sitting room. We can turn on the Wireless and listen to the celebration downtown."

"And try not to think about the four teenagers all alone in our home," Luna said to Ron.

"They promised to behave themselves," Hermione pulled away from Harry. "No sleeping together or anything like that."

"Teenage boys don't know how to behave themselves," Harry said. "I know. I used to be one."

"But this is R.J. and Andrew, and they're both respectable young men," Hermione said. "And our daughter is a smart girl, plus Alexa's not going to risk getting into trouble again and not being able to see R.J. at all."

"Right," Harry said. "I'm just going to try and not think about it."

"Let me give you something else to think about," Hermione whispered in his ear, kissing him again.

"Oooh, I'm thinking about taking you upstairs," he said when they pulled apart. "But this isn't our home."

"We can go home," she said suggestively.

Harry looked thoughtfully at her. "Let's go home..."

Cho, who was sitting next to Harry, overheard them. "Oh come on you two, you're spending the evening here with us. You're not going home for a shag!"

"You going to let us use a room upstairs then?" Harry asked.

"Harry James," Cho said, her hands on her hips.

"Okay," Harry said grumpily. "We'll stay here."

"I promise to make it worth your while come midnight," Hermione whispered, her lips brushing his earlobe.

"Who wants popcorn?" Cho asked while Neville turned on the Wireless.

"I do," Ron replied immediately.

"You do?" Cho asked in mock surprise.

"I'm hungry," Ron said, giving her a pitiful look.

"You just ate six pieces of chicken, four helpings of potatoes, four dinner rolls," Cho started counting each dish on her fingers.

"Six rolls," Luna reminded her. "He finished off mine and then he stole that one from Neville."

"Where the hell do you put it Ron?" Neville snorted.

"Right here," Ron said patting his stomach.

"You're so gross," Cho wrinkled her nose. "If I ate that much I'd look like and weigh as much as Millicent Bulstrode."

"I'm not gross," Ron protested. "I'm a healthy bloke with a healthy appetite. There's nothing wrong with that."

"So you've got the healthy appetite for food, while the rabbits have a healthy appetite for each other," Neville rolled his eyes in the direction of Harry and Hermione, who were kissing like no one else was in the room.

"What are we known for then?" Cho asked ignoring the snogging couple beside her.

"Well," Ron said thoughtfully. "Nev's known for being the overprotective father and you're the sensible one with the big mouth."

"What does that make me?" Luna asked curiously. "The odd one?"

"The dreamer," Cho said smiling at her. "The one who believes that anything is possible."

Luna grinned. "I like that better."

*** *** ***

At the Weasley house, Saffron and Alexa were waiting for R.J. and Andrew to get back from picking up pizza and movies.

"We should never have trusted them with the movie choice," Saffron said to Alexa. "I cringe to think of what they'll choose."

"Have you got any back up?" Alexa asked. "Other than your parents’ collection that we've watched a million times?"

"Those are so good though," Saffron said smiling at her friend. "Do you remember that weekend you stayed over and we watched almost every single one of them?"

"Yes," Alexa giggled. "I thought my eyes were going to go spare."

"We should do things like that more often," Saffron said. "Even though we both have boyfriends now."

Alexa grinned. "I love it that we both have boyfriends."

"Best friends who are dating best friends," Saffron giggled.

"Finally," Alexa nudged her as she stole a crisp. "Took you long enough to notice Andrew, Saffy."

"I always thought he was cute," Saffron said softly. "And when we were in hospital together, he was just...amazing. We talked and talked and he made me laugh."

"And then you snogged and you were over the moon for him," Alexa swooned dramatically and fell onto the sofa, laughing.

"You're one to talk," Saffron said throwing a pillow at her.

"What?" Alexa asked, tossing it back. "I was over the moon for R.J. before he kissed me."

"And never told me!" Saffron said grabbing the pillow.

"Only after I caught you two snogging," Alexa teased her as Puddles barked from the little bed they'd made for him in the corner.

"True," Saffron said giggling. "But I guess I should have known that first time I introduced you two and you could only say 'um, um, um, well...'"

"That's pretty much all we say now in between snogs," Alexa said with a grin.

Saffron laughed. "Okay, you have to tell me the truth here... were you the one who sent him that valentine two years ago? I have to know."

Alexa turned bright red and Saffron laughed even harder.

"Does he know?" Saffron asked. "Because he spent two months trying to figure out who it was!"

"I never said anything," Alexa confessed. "Because it was such a stupid Valentine."

"It wasn't that stupid," Saffron reassured her. "He told me he liked it."

"He did?" Alexa asked. "Well... in case he hasn't figured it out, maybe I'll tell him tonight sometime."

"We're back!" R.J. called out as he opened the door.

"About time!" Saffron replied. "What took you so bloody long?"

"Hello?" R.J. asked her sarcastically. "It's New Year's Eve."

"What's your point?" Saffron asked. "Cassandra..."

R.J. glared at her. "Okay Pepper Potter, keep it up and you won't get any pizza."

Saffron kicked his leg. "Call me that again and die."

"I promise to not call you that if you lay off the Cassandra crap," R.J. said setting the box down on the coffee table.

"I guess," Saffron said, smiling at Andrew. "What sort of pizza did you get?"

"For Andrew and me, the meat lovers," R.J. said setting the box down. "And for you two, pepperoni and mushroom."

"Yum," Saffron said, flipping open the top box. "This smells so good." she pulled a slice out as Puddles ambled over.

"I'll go and grab some sodas for us," Alexa said getting up. "And plates too."

"I'll help," R.J. said, following her into the kitchen.

Alexa walked over to the icebox. "So was it really crowded?"

"Yeah especially to get movies. Thank goodness Andrew knows his way around those Muggles. I'd have been completely lost," R.J. confessed.

Alexa laughed. "You're not that bad."

"I'm really glad your parents let you come over tonight," R.J. said, wrapping his arms around her from behind.

"Me too," she agreed relaxing against him. "This is so much better than last year. I spent it at Ben's watching him and James act like complete idiots in front of Carrie and me."

"Of course it'll be better this year. You're with the hottest guy at Hogwarts and come midnight we're going to be snogging like no tomorrow," R.J. said with a cocky grin.

"You didn't tell me Jason was coming over," Alexa said trying not to laugh.

R.J. poked her side in reply. "That was below the belt," he complained.

"Well that was a pretty arrogant remark," she said giggling.

"Lexie," R.J. whined.

She turned around to face him. "You know that I do happen to think you are the hottest guy at Hogwarts..."

He beamed back at her. "I like hearing that. And I happen to think you're the most gorgeous girl at Hogwarts..." he leaned in.

"I am not," she said reaching up and tucking her hair behind her ear.

"Yes you are," R.J. pulled her hand down. "You're not still nervous around me are you Lexie?"

"No," she said softly. "I'm just...”

"The most gorgeous girl I've ever seen," R.J. said, his lips brushing hers.

Alexa felt weak in the knees as he pulled her close.

"Sometimes I can't believe the way I feel about you," he whispered in her ear.

"W-why's that?" Alexa asked.

"I just think I'm really lucky to have you," R.J. said, touching her cheek.

"I feel the same way about you," she whispered. "I always have."

R.J. pressed his nose into her hair and held her for a few more moments. "Come on, let's go eat and then we'll sneak away for a bit."

"Okay," Alexa said returning to the icebox to get the sodas.

"Well it's about bloody time," Andrew teased when R.J. and Alexa came back into the room. "Saffy and I thought we'd have to send out a search party."

"Like you two weren't doing the same thing we were," R.J. shot back, tossing his friend a butterbeer.

"We weren't," Saffron said. "Much."

"Sure," R.J. said sarcastically, sitting down. Puddles looked at him anxiously, ready for him to drop something on the floor. "No can do buddy, your owner over there says no people food."

"That's right," Saffron said shooting her puppy an apologetic look.

"He is so cute Saffy," Alexa grinned at the dog.

"You knew she'd get one," R.J. teased. "After whining and begging..."

"Sod off," Saffron tossed a piece of mushroom at him.

"Thank you," R.J. said catching it in his mouth.

"Wanker," Saffron said. "What movies did you two get?"

"Some sappy chick movie that the bloke at the store said you two would love," Andrew said. "And a scary one so you'd have to hold on to us during the scary bits..."

"Oooh I like the sound of that," Saffron grinned at Andrew.

"What time will your mum and dad be back?" Alexa asked R.J.

"Not until after midnight, that much I know for sure," R.J. shrugged. "Last year they didn't come home until seven in the morning."

"You must have had fun," Alexa said.

"Not really," Andrew said. "We double dated with Christina and Sandra Walker."

"Ew," Saffron giggled. "Ravenclaw's dream team."

"Nightmare more like," Andrew said. "Cassandra here set me up with her."

"Shove off, Kirke, I didn't hear you complaining." R.J. replied.

"Yes you did," Andrew said taking another piece of pizza. "That went down as the worst date ever. Sandra and I spent most of the night watching you and Christina...well; let's not talk about that..."

"I second that," Alexa agreed.

"Sorry, Lex," Andrew apologised. "If it makes you feel any better, I like you way more than the other girls R.J. dated. Hands down."

"Thanks Andrew," Alexa smiled at him. "I appreciate that."

"I do too," R.J. said grinning at Alexa.

"Sappy snoggers," Saffron teased them.

"You are too," R.J. said. "Let's not talk about what you and Andrew did on my Nana's sofa Christmas Day."

"We were on the floor thank you very much," Saffron said.

"Carried on the floor did it?" R.J. said. "Way to go, Kirke....and with her parents and big brother in the next room..."

"I'm sneaky that way," Andrew said his arm around Saffron.

Saffron snuggled up closer to him. "I'm really glad we could do this tonight. All four of us. It's nice."

"That it is," he replied. "You lot want to watch one of the movies now? Or we could save it for later..."

"Doesn't matter to me," Saffron replied.

Andrew kissed under her ear. "Later sounds good to me," he whispered.

"We've got all night," Saffron said kissing him.

"Come on, Lexie," R.J. stood up, taking her hand. "We'll go into the dining room."

"The dining room?" she asked.

"Had to promise my mum and dad I wouldn't take you upstairs," he muttered.

"Right," Alexa said smiling at him. "The dining room it is."

"It's got carpet, otherwise I'd say the kitchen," R.J. said mischievously as he led her out.

"Alone at last," Saffron said, watching as Puddles plopped back down in his bed. "With the dog..."

"He's very protective of you," Andrew teased.

Saffron giggled. "He knows when I'm in a ... situation..."

"Seems to me like he thinks you're doing okay," Andrew said laughing.

"I'm definitely doing okay," Saffron said, moving over so that she was sitting on his lap, facing him. "One might even say... more... much more... than okay..."

Andrew grinned. "I'm doing pretty well myself actually."

"I bet you are," she giggled, winding her arms around his neck.

Andrew kissed her. "Hey Saf?"

"Hmm?" she asked.

"Happy New Year," he said smiling at her.

"Is it midnight already?" she gasped, grabbing his arm to look at his watch.

"No," he said laughing. "I just wanted to tell you beforehand."

"Oh," she grinned. "Just in case we miss it?"

"Right," he said. "In case, we're preoccupied."

"I hope we will be," Saffron whispered, leaning in.

Andrew kissed her again this time laying her down on the sofa.

Saffron ran her hands over his broad shoulders as he explored her mouth. He was a far better kisser than Peter- obviously more experienced- and she liked that she didn’t have to take the lead all the time.

He didn't want to push her or make her do anything that she wasn't ready for, but she hadn't stopped him yet and he took that as a good sign that it was okay to go a little further.

Saffron let out a purr of pleasure as he slowly sneaked his hand under her jumper. "Yes," she hissed, arching her back.

Andrew smiled down at her before kissing her again letting his hand inch precariously up her stomach.

Saffron dragged her fingernails up his back under his shirt. "Andrew," she murmured.

"Yeah?" he asked trying to remain in control, but the feeling of her hands on his skin was making it very hard not to do what he really, really wanted.

"This feels really... really good," she said, her eyes half closed.

"It does," Andrew said peppering her neck and shoulders with kisses.

She tugged up on her jumper, glad she'd decided to wear a camisole underneath that day. "Getting a bit warm in here," she said when they pulled away briefly.

"Very warm," he said softly fingering one of the camisole straps. "You're so beautiful, Saffron."

Saffron felt the increasingly familiar butterflies in her stomach as she pulled him back down again.

He kissed her softly this time, enjoying the moment.

Andrew shifted a little so that she was lying more on top of him. Taking the initiative, Saffron opened his mouth under hers, pressing her body against his.

He was a little surprised by her action, but he'd always known that when Saffron Potter wanted something, she went after it with full force. And he was happy that it was him that she wanted. "Saffy..."

"Just kiss me," she said, pressing her lips to his urgently.

Andrew did as she asked and his hands again worked their way under her camisole top.

This was further than she'd gone with any guy and it made her a little nervous, but Andrew was being careful, and he was sweet.

"Hey guys, it's two minutes until midnight," Alexa said coming back into the sitting room with R.J. "Oh! I'm sorry..."

Andrew and Saffron jumped apart, breathing heavily. "It's okay," Andrew said, handing Saffron her jumper.

"Saffron," R.J. said covering his eyes. "Do you and I need to have the talk?"

Alexa hit him on the arm. "Stop it, R.J.”

"Sod off," Saffron said. "Puddles come here baby!" she patted her lap. "Come here!"

The dog happily scampered into her lap and Saffron giggled.

"Turn the wireless on," Alexa said to R.J. "So we can hear the countdown."

"Yes dear," R.J. smirked.

Saffron settled back down by Andrew and scratched her puppy behind his ears. "That was really amazing," she whispered to him.

Andrew grinned. "It was."

"Better than any snog I've ever had," she said, leaning against him as he slid his arms around her.

"I feel the same way," he whispered.

"....ten....nine...eight," Alexa started counting down with the announcer on the wireless.

"Seven," R.J. grinned back.

"Six!" Saffron chimed in. "Five!"

"Four...three....two," Andrew said in a dramatic voice.

"One!" they all shouted together, laughing.

Alexa turned and jumped into R.J.'s arms at the stroke of midnight, kissing him rather ferociously.

"And to think she used to be shy and quiet," R.J. said when they pulled breathlessly apart.

Alexa giggled. "You made a wild child out of me."

"Did you tell R.J. your little secret?" Saffron asked her best friend.

"What little secret?" R.J. nudged her. "Something dirty?"

Saffron gave her friend a wicked grin before turning back to Andrew.

"It's nothing," Alexa said blushing.

"Tell me," he insisted.

Alexa put her head in her hands. "Do you um, remember a couple years back on Valentine's Day...?”

R.J. shook his head. "What about Valentine's Day?"

Alexa looked away. "Do you remember that person who left you that chocolate frog with the poem?"

"Yeah," he said. "Wait- that was you?"

Alexa gave a slight nod. "I know it was stupid and I can't believe I actually left it for you. I actually changed my mind but you'd already picked it up and Jason was taking the Mickey about it."

"I liked it," R.J. brushed her hair behind her ear. "I wish I'd known it was you sooner."

"It was so stupid," Alexa said with a laugh. "And you know you wouldn't have looked twice at me."

"Uh hello in there," R.J. grinned. "I'm in love with you."

"Yes, but you weren't then," Alexa said. "You'd have laughed yourself silly if you'd known it was me."

"Would not," R.J. returned, kissing her.

"Would so," Alexa said giggling. "You thought I was Saffron's daft, quiet friend."

"Just quiet," he said, pushing her down on the other sofa. "Never daft..."

"It doesn't matter now," she whispered. "We're together now and that's all in the past."

"Right," R.J. kissed her again. "Let's make like our friends and snog okay? We have at least a few more hours." he said devilishly.

"Happy New Year R.J.," Alexa said smiling up at him.

"Happy New Year, Lexie," he grinned back.

*** *** ***

"You're going to have quite the houseful tonight," Allison said to her sister in law. "Are you sure you're prepared?"

"I think so," Lizzy said. "And thanks so much for coming over to help me get things ready."

"Anytime," Allison smiled. "The girls were excited to come over and spend time with their cousins."

Lizzy opened up a bag of crisps. "I doubt this party will top that wild night at yours last year."

"You mean where my husband did an impromptu lap dance, I was forced to almost strip, you told Josh you were pregnant and Nick wore a toga?" Allison laughed. "Maybe not- but we've got a bigger crowd this year.

"And we have to tone things down since the kids are here." Lizzy said laughing.

"So no letting Julie near the champagne and no Truth or Dare," Allison finished.

"Exactly," Lizzy said. "And no togas."

Josh came into the kitchen with Emma in his arms and Caroline on his back. "Hi, Allie. Look who I ran into in the hall."

"Hi Josh," Allison kissed his cheek. "What did you two silly girls do to your uncle?"

"Nothing," Caroline said innocently.

"Em want Dada!" Emma said squirming in Josh's arms.

"Daddy will be here later," Allison said, taking Emma. "He had to go fly."

"On New Year's Eve?" Josh asked.

Emma's lower lip trembled. "Dada..."

"Shhhh..." Allison kissed her daughter's forehead. "That's why we had her party yesterday," she said a bit glumly. "This new client is pretty demanding but they pay well."

"Jon did look pretty knackered at Emma's party," Lizzy commented.

"He's been taking extra lessons all the time," Allison said, smoothing back Emma's curly hair. "He hasn't been around much all week."

"But he promised to be here tonight," Caroline said happily. "He Pinky sweared."

"Yes he did promise," Allison smiled reassuringly at her. "And you know your daddy would never break a promise to you."

"And he never passes up free food," Josh said tweaking Caroline's nose.

"Neither does Grandpa," Caroline giggled.

"But he's at his own party tonight," Josh said laughing.

"That's why we still have food," Lizzy said with a grin.

The doorbell rang. "Can I go get it Uncle Josh?" Caroline asked.

"Sure Angel," Josh said, setting her down. "Make sure you ask who it is first okay?"

"Okay," Caroline said running out of the kitchen toward the front door. At the top of her lungs, she screamed out, "WHO IS IT?"

Katie laughed on the other side. "Let us in Caroline!"

Caroline grinned and swung open the door. "Hi Katie!"

"Happy New Year!" Katie said happily.

"It's not midnight yet," Ashley reminded her sister.

"I was just telling her," Katie shot back.

"Come on Ashley," Nick said taking his daughter's hand. "Let's go say hello to Josh and Lizzy."

"You're so lucky you're the big sister," Katie whispered to Caroline. "But you're much cooler than Ashley."

"I heard that!" Ashley turned and glared at her.

"We're going to have so much fun," Katie said ignoring her sister.

"I brought four of my movies," Caroline said. "And Uncle Josh said we could watch them with Emma. Did you bring the makeup?"

"Yes," Katie lifted her little kit. "And my tiara and some dresses for us to wear."

"This is going to be so great," Caroline grinned.

"Can I go see the babies Aunt Lizzy?" Ashley asked, coming into the kitchen.

"You can peek in the nursery," Lizzy said. "But be really quiet, okay? Your Uncle Josh just put them down for the night."

"Thanks," Ashley sent a happy grin her way as she skipped out.

"Hi Julie, Nick," Lizzy pecked them each on the cheek. "You know, Ash is getting more and more gorgeous by the day. So's Katie."

"Thanks," Nick said grinning at her. "Now if only we could get them to like each other."

"I bet they'll get along just fine eventually," Josh replied. "Look at me and Jon." he laughed.

"You two still fight all the time," Julie said giving him a hug.

"But it's good natured," Josh said. "By the way Jules, you're already cut off. We have to behave tonight."

"I wasn't that bad last year," Julie said defensively.

"Jules you were pissed off your rocker," Nick laughed at his wife. "Toga?"

"That was you in the sheet, not me," Julie said poking him.

"To-ga?" Emma asked scrunching up her nose.

Allison laughed. "That's right baby girl. Toga."

Emma giggled and buried her face in her mother's shoulder.

"I love her little ponytail Allie," Julie grinned. "She's so beautiful."

"Jon keeps telling her she's going to be a little heartbreaker when she's older," Allison said looking fondly at Emma.

"Hat - baker," Emma repeated.

Everyone laughed.

"That's you exactly," Nick said making a goofy face at Emma. "Where is your dad then?"

"Dada fly," Emma said.

"Is he in the backyard?" Nick asked. "It's been ages since I've flown..."

"No he's got a lesson tonight," Allison said softly.

"That same client?" Julie asked. "If he keeps this up, he won't have to teach the rest of the year."

"That'd be great," Allison said. "I miss having him around."

"He's coming later though right?" Julie asked.

Allison nodded.

"Great," Julie said. "So Lizzy, when do we get the grand tour?"

"I'll take you around right now if you like," Lizzy offered.

"I'd love that," Julie said. "And maybe we can peek in the nursery too."

"Sure," Lizzy agreed with a grin. "You won't believe how big they are already. And Casey has the reddest hair I've ever seen."

"And has Josh wrapped around her little finger, I'm sure," Julie teased.

"Of course she does," Josh grinned. "My little girl."

"I still can't believe Josh Weasley is a daddy," Julie said. "It seems like just yesterday, we were all Caroline and Katie's age."

"Tell me about it," Allison agreed, following with Emma in tow. "Sometimes I look at these two and I can't believe I have two children."

"I know," Julie agreed. "When did we all grow up?"

"Speak for yourself," Nick grinned at her. "I don't think I ever grew up."

Julie laughed. "Planning on doing it anytime soon?"

"Not if I can help it," Nick said.

"Growing up can be overrated," Josh said.

"They're so cute!" Ashley said as she encountered her parents and everyone else in the hall. "Noah keeps making these funny faces in his sleep!"

"Just like his father," Lizzy teased.

"Hey," Josh laughed, giving his wife a kiss.

Julie stepped quietly into the nursery and looked down at the babies.

"They're so sweet," she whispered as Aidan made a cooing noise, his little lips pursed.

"They are," Allison said coming into the room for a better look.

"I really wish we could have come yesterday," Lizzy said. "But we were worried- Casey was running a small fever so we thought it was best to stay home."

"It's okay," Allison said. "Emma loved the tea set you sent. Didn't you, Em?"

Emma nodded eagerly. "Thank," she said.

"You're very welcome," Lizzy said keeping her voice in a whisper. "I can't believe you are two years old."

"Em big girl," Emma said happily.

"How would the big girl like to help Uncle Josh?" Josh asked scooping her up.

"Kay," Emma agreed.

Josh carried Emma out of the room and Julie, Allison and Lizzy followed, but kept their pace slow.

"So any luck yet?" Lizzy asked her best friend.

"Not yet," Allison shook her head. "We're still trying though. When he's home that is..."

"Trying can be fun," Lizzy said with a grin.

"Very fun," Julie agreed with a grin.

"I'd love to give Jon a son this time," Allison said wistfully. "Of course, if I do get pregnant and it's another girl, that's lovely as well. But I think Jon would love having a little boy."

"Or you could do like Chi," Julie said. "Have one of each."

"Four might be a bit much," Allison shook her head. "Especially having two at once."

"True," Julie said with a laugh. "Chi is really great with the twins. I know she's still insecure about it, but she's really doing an amazing job."

"She definitely is," Allison agreed. "I've been over there helping out when I can but she's holding together a lot better than she was before."

"How are things between her and Rebecca?" Lizzy asked referring to Chiaki's mother-in-law. "Things are better, aren't they?"

"Especially since Toshio stepped in," Allison nodded.

"Good," Lizzy said. "She sounded like a right nightmare. We really lucked out in the mother-in-law department with Luna."

"She's really wonderful," Allison agreed. "Always has been."

"Want to talk about nightmare mother in laws?" Julie rolled her eyes. "I have loads of stories. Chi and I would get together and bitch from time to time."

"Ginny," Allison said scrunching up her nose. "Thankfully, she's thousands of miles away though now, Jules."

Lizzy nodded. "Yeah, I'd have to say Jules wins this one hands down."

"I'm just glad Ash and Katie don't really remember the whole meeting last year that well," Julie replied as they went back into the kitchen. "Poor Ashley was devastated by the way they were."

"It's a shame though that they're so selfish they don't want to see their grandchildren," Allison said. "And Molly's still so heartbroken about the whole thing."

"What are you lot talking about?" Nick asked, handing his wife a drink.

"Your mum and dad," Julie admitted.

Nick's lip curled up. "Why?"

"We started talking about nightmare mother-in-laws and it kind of went to your mum," Julie said biting her lip.

"Well that's understandable," Nick slid his arm around her. "I lucked out getting your parents as in laws."

Julie smiled and leaned against him.

Ashley came back into the kitchen carrying her sketch pad. "I'm going to go out in the back yard and do some sketches."

Julie frowned. "Ashley, it's freezing outside. Can't you just sketch inside instead?"

"But I want to do the trees," Ashley protested.

"Okay," Julie relented. "But put on your cloak and gloves and don't stay out there for very long. I don't want you getting sick."

"All right," Ashley rolled her eyes.

"She could have played with Katie and Caroline," Allison suggested once Ashley was out of earshot. "I know she sometimes feels left out."

"She thinks she's too grown up," Nick replied.

"Her days of dress up are long over eh?" Allison asked.

Julie laughed. "She's nine going on thirty you know."

"I thought there was a party going on in here," Darla said from the doorway.

"Hi Dar," Lizzy said giving her sister-in-law a hug. "I didn't even hear you come in."

"We just got here," Darla said. "Drew and Brian are in the hall there."

"Brian?" Allison asked. "From the Ministry party----that Brian?"

"Yeah," Darla said with a grin. "They've been seeing each other- casually- since then. Tonight's sort of their first real date."

"That's great," Allison said smiling back at Darla. "He seems like such a nice bloke."

"He is. Much better than that arse, Paul." Darla said. "Oh and this is my date, Hans."

A tall, blonde man with an athletic build stepped forward. "It's nice to meet you all."

"Hi there," Allison greeted him. "Hans- you must be from Germany?"

He nodded. "From Hamburg."

"Lovely to meet you," Julie added, shaking his hand.

"Hans, this is Julie and her husband Nick," Darla said. "And that's my sister-in-law, Allie and this is Lizzy."

"Great to meet you," Nick smiled. "Can I get you something to drink? I guess I'm the unofficial bartender tonight."

"We're not paying you," Lizzy reminded him.

"I don't mind," Nick winked at her.

"A beer would be great," Hans said to Nick. "Thanks."

Drew came into the room. "Hi everyone," she said. "You all remember Brian right?" she looked happier than any of them had seen her lately.

"Good to see you again Brian," Allison said warmly.

"You too Allison," he remembered her name. "Lizzy, Josh- thank you for inviting me over tonight."

"We're glad to have you over," Lizzy said grinning at him.

Allison grabbed Drew's arm. "You are glowing, Drew," she whispered.

"He's fantastic," Drew whispered.

"And you look lovely tonight," Allison said smiling at her. "New dress?"

"Dar and I went shopping yesterday," Drew grinned. "You look great too Allie. You always look great though."

Allison smiled. "You're one of my most favourite sisters-in-law, you know that right?"

"I'm one of your only sisters in law," Drew teased her.

"True," Allison said. "But you're in the top two."

Nearly two hours later, the party was well under way. Chiaki and Toshio had arrived just before dinner and everyone had doted over the twins. Allison kept looking at her watch wondering what could be keeping Jon.

"I can't believe Daddy's still not here," Caroline pouted.

"I'm sure he'll be here soon," Allison said trying to sound convincing. It was just gone 11 and Emma and Caroline were both trying to stay awake to see their father.

"I'm getting sleepy," Caroline's makeup was getting smeared as she rubbed her eyes and Emma was yawning continuously.

"I'll tell you what," Allison said. "If you both feel like going to sleep, I promise to wake you up when Daddy gets here."

"You promise?" Caroline asked. "Cross your heart promise?"

"Pinky swear," Allison replied. "I'll even have him wake you both up."

"Okay," Caroline said sleepily. "Come on, Em. Let's go lie down."

"Kay," Emma took her sister's hand.

Allison watched her two daughters go and hoped that Jon wouldn't let them down tonight.

"Josh and I have a special treat," Lizzy said producing a bottle of champagne. "Julie you get half a glass."

"Sod off," Julie complained. "I am NOT that bad."

"When you only have half a glass, yes," Lizzy said grinning at her.

“You lot are like the bloody police,” Julie grumbled. “My own husband won’t even stick up for me here.”

"Julie, you do get a little out of sorts when you drink," Nick said putting an arm around her.

Julie glared icily at her husband without saying a word.

"One glass won't do any harm," Chiaki said in her friend's defence. "And it is New Year's Eve."

"All right Jules," Josh appeased her.

"Thank you, Chi," Julie said grinning at her.

"Anything for my girl," Chiaki put an arm around her best friend.

Brian smiled at Drew. "Did I tell you how pretty you looked tonight? Because if I didn't, I need to be hexed."

Drew blushed. "You did. Thanks Brian." she smiled back at him.

"I like your family," he said. "They seem to care an awful lot about you."

"They do," she said, accepting a glass of champagne from him. "We're all pretty close."

"I certainly saw that the night of the ball," Brian said softly.

"I'm really glad you wanted to come tonight," Drew said quietly. "I've... I've had a really good time with you over the last few weeks."

"I feel the same way," he said smiling at her. "And my New Year's Resolution is to get to know you better.

Drew turned even more red. "Maybe that's mine too," she said a bit boldly.

Brian leaned in and softly kissed her.

It wasn't their first kiss, but it was definitely the sweetest they'd shared so far.

"Happy New Year, Drew," Brian whispered.

"Happy New Year," she whispered back with a grin.

Josh smiled at Darla. "It's good to see Drew smiling again."

"That it is," Darla replied. "Brian has been so good for her."

"You know what I think?" Josh asked. "I think this is going to be a good year for all of us. Best one yet, I think."

"I really hope so," Darla replied. "I think the night would be the best for Allie if Jon showed up now..."

Jon was trying to do just that. He'd spend the better part of the evening watching Muggles get pissed and listening to some of the lamest stories in the world. He was supposed to have gotten off an hour ago, but his boss Victoria had asked if he'd stay over.

"You keep looking so glum, you're going to scare away the customers," Victoria said walking back around the bar.

"Sorry," Jon replied. "My wife is going to have my arse though. I'm supposed to be at my brother and sister in laws by now."

"Tell you what," Victoria said thoughtfully. "I'll take over for you behind the bar, if you promise to come in early tomorrow night."

"Are you serious?" Jon asked. "Victoria if you need me to stay--"

"Get your arse out of here," she said pushing him toward the door. "I don't want to lose the best bartender we have because his wife's murdered him. Go, before I change my mind."

"Thanks Victoria," Jon said gratefully. "I'll see you tomorrow."

"Happy New Year, Jonathan," she said laughing as he grabbed his coat and nearly ran out of the pub.

Allison checked her watch and sighed- it was now half past eleven and her husband still hadn't showed.

As soon as he found a secluded alleyway, Jon disapparated to his brother's front steps. He said a silent prayer that Allison wouldn't be too angry with him.

"Maybe his client kept him late," Chiaki reassured her sister, who was looking worried. "As long as he's paying overtime..."

"I guess so," Allison sighed. "But the girls will be so disappointed if he doesn't show up."

Jon walked into the house and heard the faint sound of music and voices coming from the sitting room. He made his way in that direction and grinned when he saw his wife.

"It's about time," Josh teased slapping his brother on the back.

"Sorry mate," Jon replied. "Got hung up with my lesson tonight."

"Better late than never," Josh said handing him a glass of champagne.

"Thanks," Jon grinned. "I'm going to see Allie."

"Jon," Chiaki said smiling at him. "We'd about given up on you."

"I know," he said apologetically. "I got held up, but I'm here before midnight. That's what counts."

"The girls fell asleep waiting for you," Allison said, a bit coolly. "I promised them you'd wake them up when you got here."

Chiaki excused herself to give them some privacy.

"I couldn't get away, Al," he said giving her his most winsome grin. "I haven't seen you since this morning. Come on..."

"You'd better go wake up the girls so they're up in time for midnight," Allison turned away.

He put a hand on her shoulder. "Come with me, Al. Please?"

"Fine," she said, setting her champagne glass down and walking out ahead of him.

Jon sighed. He was definitely in trouble, but he hoped it wouldn't last long. He hated it when Allison was cross with him.

They walked back to Josh and Lizzy's bedroom where the girls were sleeping. Jon sat down on the edge of the bed and leaned down and kissed Caroline on the forehead. "Wake up, Angel."

"Daddy?" Caroline blinked. "You're here!"

Jon smiled as Caroline sat up and wrapped her arms around his neck.

"I promised, didn't I?" Jon asked softly.

Allison had to smile as Jon kissed their daughter's forehead. "Sweetheart," she shook Emma gently. "Baby, Daddy's here."

"Dada?" Emma asked sleepily, her eyes blinking open.

"Hey you," Jon grinned, picking both of them up. "How are two of my three favourite girls in the world?"

"We missed you," Caroline said beaming at him. "Mummy the most."

"Daddy's sorry," Jon replied. "But I'm here the rest of the night now."

"Dada stink," Emma said scrunching up her little nose.

"Emma!" Caroline whispered, horrified. "You're not supposed to tell Daddy that he smells bad!"

"Your daddy doesn't smell bad," Allison said coming closer. But as she did so, she got a good whiff of what smelled like beer and cigarettes. "Jon?"

"My client smokes," Jon said quickly. "A lot."

"Gross," Caroline said. "Smoking is really, really bad for you, Daddy. You should get him to stop right now. "

"I'll make sure I say something to him Angel," Jon said. "Come on; let's go out to the party okay?"

Caroline nodded and hugged him again. As they walked back out of the bedroom, Jon couldn't help noticing what a posh house his brother and sister-in-law now owned.

Allison followed her husband and children wordlessly, not quite knowing if she was angry at Jon or not. While she knew it was important that they have money, she thought it was a bit extreme that this client was demanding Jon work so late during the holidays.

"Come here girls," Josh said motioning to his nieces. He had some sparkling apple cider for the children.

Jon smiled at Allison. "You look beautiful tonight, Al."

"Thanks," Allison said, picking up her champagne glass again which Josh had refilled for her.

"I know I'm late," he said. "But I wouldn't have missed being here for the world, you know that."

"I know," Allison softened at the look on his face. "I just wish you'd owled me. I was really getting worried about you."

"I know," he said pulling her closer. "How can I make it up to you?"

Allison rested her chin on his shoulder. "Just don't leave me the rest of the night."

Jon held her tightly. "I'm not going anywhere, Allie."

Caroline's laughter made them pull apart. "Mummy," she exclaimed. "Emma's making the funniest faces when she drinks this!" she held up the cup of cider that Josh had given her.

"Let me see," Allison said taking Jon's hand and leading him over to their daughters.

"Take another sip, Em," Caroline urged.

"No," Emma said, her little lips pursed.

"Pleeeeeeeeeease?" Caroline asked.

"Em no like!" Emma replied.

"I'll take one too," Caroline cajoled. "We'll do it together okay? One... two... three..."

Emma held her cup up to her lips and waited to make sure Caroline was going to drink too.

Caroline didn't back down and her parents both laughed as Emma scrunched up her whole face at the taste of the cider. "See?" she giggled.

"Yucky," Emma said swallowing.

"You are too much," Jon chuckled, picking Emma up. "How about letting Daddy have a sip of that?"

Emma gladly gave her father the cup. "Em love Dada."

"Dada loves Em," Jon said, kissing her nose.

"Ten minutes until midnight," Lizzy announced.

"Katie," Caroline said excitedly. "You still have your dress on!"

"I'm not taking this off," Katie said twirling in one of Julie's old gowns.

"Its way too big for you Katherine," Ashley said. "And you've been tripping over it all night."

"Who cares?" Katie retorted. "Caroline and I look gorgeous in our ball gowns."

"Ashley," Nick warned sensing his eldest daughter was about to make a nasty retort.

"Can I have a sip of your champagne?" Ashley asked instead of making a smart aleck comeback.

"One small sip," Nick said handing her the glass.

Ashley made a face. "It's sort of bitter," she said, handing it back to him.

"Kind of like Em's cider," Caroline said laughing.

"That was so funny," Ashley giggled.

"We have another dress," Caroline offered. "If you want to try it on, Ashley."

"You do?" Ashley asked.

"Sure," Caroline said running over to grab another dress from Katie's kit. "It's blue. You want to put it on?"

"It's mine," Katie grabbed it back. "She doesn't get to wear my dresses Caroline."

"But it's not nice to leave someone out," Caroline said. "Emma got to wear one, Katie."

"No it's okay," Ashley glared at her sister. "Thanks but no thanks Caroline."

"I'm sorry Ash," Caroline said sincerely. "It would have looked really pretty on you."

"Thanks," Ashley smiled at the younger girl.

Emma walked over to Ashley and held out her bag of blocks. "Play?"

"I'd love to Emma," Ashley said. "Caroline? Want to join us?" she deliberately didn't include Katie.

"She can't," Katie said grabbing Caroline's hand.

"But--" Caroline said.

"Why don't you all play?" Drew suggested. "Together."

Ashley and Katie looked less than thrilled at this suggestion but agreed.

"It shouldn't matter too much," Julie replied. "After midnight you two are going to bed." she pointed to her daughters.

Katie wanted to protest, but figured it would be a bad idea.

"Come on," Caroline said. "Em likes it when you build it really, really high and then she knocks them down."

"Okay," Ashley agreed. "Let's build Emma the biggest tower ever!"

"Thank you Drew," Nick said smiling at her. "You saved us from another knock down, drag out."

"Not a problem Nick," Drew grinned at him.

"So Jules," Toshio asked. "Are you looking forward to going back to school?"

"Oh yes," Julie nodded. "Teaching at Hogwarts has been loads of fun- except for Snape. But the nice thing is now I can talk back to him." she grinned.

"I wish we could borrow your dad's old cloak so we could see that," Chiaki said grinning.

Julie laughed. "You'd have to ask Saffy for it."

"Your dad gave Saffy the cloak?" Chiaki asked. "That's so unfair! I begged and pleaded with him for years to give it to me."

Toshio laughed. "Chi, he wouldn't even give it to Julie."

"He used it for ages for work," Julie explained. "And once he got a new one, and started using invisibility spells, he passed his old one down to Saffy."

"Think of the damage I could have done if I'd have had that," Jon said wistfully.

"More than you already did, you mean?" Josh asked with a grin. "By the way, two minutes to midnight."

"Aye," Lizzy said. "You were in McGonagall's office so much; I heard you had your own chair."

"Smartarse," Jon replied. "It was engraved."

"Do you remember that time you made Snape dance?" Allison asked laughing. "I still don't know how you did it. I wish I could have seen it."

Jon put an arm around her. "That's still my little secret, and one of my greatest feats to date."

"Kids are still talking about it," Julie said. "To this day."

Jon grinned proudly at that.

"Okay everyone," Nick called. "Ten seconds!"

Everyone started to count along. The children yelling the numbers at the top of their lungs.

"ONE!" Caroline and Katie screamed, laughing.

"New Year!" Emma claimed happily.

"That's right," Jon said picking her up and tickling her. "Happy New Year!"

"Dada!" she giggled happily.

Allison's heart swelled as she watched her husband with their youngest daughter. Yes, Jon had been late, but that didn't matter now. She kissed him softly causing Emma to giggle even more.

"Dada love Mama," Emma clapped happily.

"Yes he does," Jon said looking at Allison. "And there's nothing he wouldn't do for her."

Allison smiled back at him. "Good to know," she said softly.

The sounds of babies crying filled the room and Josh laughed. "I think the babies want to celebrate too."

"Uh oh," Lizzy set down her glass. "Parenthood beckons..." she and Josh left the sitting room.

"They're so much more together with this than me," Chiaki said in admiration. "I'm sure it helps to have such a great house. This place is amazing."

"It is really nice," Allison agreed. "Josh and Lizzy have worked hard for this."

"And he's so excited about that book too," Julie said.

"Book?" Jon asked confused. "What's this about?"

"You missed it," Allison told him. "Josh is going to write a book."

"He is?" Jon raised an eyebrow. "Of what- poetry?"

Julie laughed. "No, not poetry. He's writing a book about some of the most important cases that have come before the Wizengamot over the past 100 years."

"Oh," Jon said, feeling a bit inadequate about this news.

"He just found out this morning," Allison said. "He and Lizzy were over the moon about it."

"I bet," Jon replied, thinking of his new job at the pub. His brother would never have to go through doing two jobs like that.

"We should probably get home," Allison said. "The girls look knackered."

"Sure," Jon said. "And I'd like to show you a proper new year."

"We should get our girls home too," Julie told Nick. "We're going over to my parents for brunch around half past eleven."

"Right," Nick said. "Merlin, we must be getting old."

"Speak for yourself, Mr. Rock Star," Julie kissed her husband. "Happy New Year."

"Happy New Year," Nick said grinning at her.

"You lot aren't going, are you?" Lizzy asked coming back into the room carrying Aidan.

"In a few minutes," Julie answered. "We don't want to burden you or Josh.

"You're not a burden," Lizzy said. "And we loved having you all over. We'll have to do it again soon."

"Definitely," Allison promised. "I absolutely love your new place."

"Thanks," Lizzy said. She looked over her shoulder and called for Josh.

"What's going on?" he asked. "I managed to get Casey and Noah back to sleep."

"Everyone's taking off," Lizzy told him. "Bunch of party poopers."

"For some of us, the party might just be starting," Nick said winking at his wife.

"I hear congratulations are in order," Jon said to Josh.

"Oh about my book?" Josh asked with a grin. "Thanks mate."

Jon forced a smile. He certainly didn't begrudge his brother his happiness or success, but he couldn't help but feel a little jealous how easy everything had always seemed to come to his twin brother.

"Congratulations again," Allison kissed Josh's cheek. "I'll owl you and we'll go to lunch this week while Caroline's at school," she told Lizzy.

"Sounds great," Lizzy said.

"Happy New Year Jon," Josh said giving his brother a hug. "I'm glad you could make it."

"Better late than never right?" Jon joked, picking up a sleepy Emma.

"Right," Josh said tugging at Emma's ponytail. "Good night, Em."

"Uncle Joe," Emma said, barely cracking her eyes open.

Jon stifled a laugh. "Ready, Al?"

"Sure," Allison said, holding Caroline's hand. "Thanks for the party you two," she said as Caroline waved a sleepy goodbye to Ashley and Katie.

"Come on," Nick said picking Katie up. "We should get going too."

Katie yawned. "Can I sleep in my dress Daddy?"

"Sure sweetheart," Nick replied. "Let's get you two home."

Darla knew that Drew wasn't quite ready to end the evening either, but they didn't want to overstay their welcome at Josh and Lizzy's.

"You and Brian want to come down to the pub with Hans and me?" Darla asked.

Drew looked back at her date. "Are you up for it?" she asked with a smile.

"I am if you are," Brian said with a grin.

"Definitely," Drew said, taking his hand.

89. Ch 89

A/N: Here’s the conclusion to New Year’s Eve and we really think a lot of you are going to be quite happy ;) Also in the next chapter, we begin Harry and Hermione’s ‘second honeymoon’ in the Swan Islands.

We hope you enjoy it and please don’t forget to let us know what you think!!!

Frankie raised her glass. "This is going to be the best year yet. Mads, you can back me up on this one. You haven't seen anything that would prove me wrong, right? Best. Year. Ever."

Maddie laughed at her best friend. "It hasn't even started yet."

"I know," Frankie said giggling. "But I just have a great feeling about this year. Everyone is going to get what they want and there's not going to be any drama."

Ethan stared at her. "Frankie? You can't be serious."

"There's always drama Frankie," Clara teased her. "Especially where you're involved."

"Not this year," Frankie said stubbornly. "I have turned over a new leaf. Right, Will?"

Will nearly choked on his beer. "Sorry?"

Ethan slid an arm around Maddie as they sat back in the corner booth. They had come to the club tonight with Justin, Sarah, Bree and Mason as well as Frankie, Will and Clara and they were all having a great time so far. Ethan slid his other hand into his pocket and felt for the box that held the engagement ring he'd bought for Maddie a few days after Christmas.

"Pookie?" Sarah asked pouting at Justin. "I'm thirsty...."

Bree and Ethan simultaneously groaned. "How about BOTH of you have a New Year's resolution to stop bloody talking like babies," Bree complained.

"I agree with Bree, mate. It's certainly not helping your image as a brave Auror to go around talking like that," Ethan said.

"I only do it with her," Justin glared at him.

"In front of all of us," Ethan pointed out.

"I could use something else to drink too," Maddie interrupted. "Do you mind, Ethan?"

"Not at all," Ethan said. "What would you like?"

"Surprise me," Maddie gave him a kiss.

"Okay," he said grinning at her.

"You two are so cute!" Frankie exclaimed.

"Thanks Frankie," Ethan grinned. "Would you like another drink or do we need to cut you off already?"

"I'm fine," she replied. "For now..."

Ethan and Justin disappeared up to the bar and Frankie slid closer to her husband. "This is fabulous," she said dreamily.

"Your first New Year's Eve as a newlywed," he said putting an arm around her.

"Last year at this time I was scared you'd never want to see me again," she said her head on his shoulder. "And now we're happily, happily married."

"Very happily married," Will agreed.

Clara groaned as she caught sight of a familiar blonde in the crowd.

"What is it?" Frankie asked.

"Alicia and her minions," Clara replied. "Coming this way."

"Of all the bloody clubs," Frankie rolled her eyes. "Honestly..."

"Well, well, well," Alicia said bitterly. "Do my eyes deceive me or is this Mr. and Mrs. Boring out for a night on the town?"

"Just ignore her Frankie," Clara said, giving Alicia a dirty look.

Alicia whispered something to Gretchen causing the other woman to laugh hysterically.

"...that colour really does wash her out," Gretchen said looking disdainfully at Frankie.

Will squeezed his wife's hand. "You look gorgeous," he said. "Don't listen to them."

Frankie smoothed down the light blue silk slip dress she was wearing. "I know I look fabulous," she said. "I looked fabulous in the dress Gretchen is wearing right now too."

"This is a one-of-a-kind original, Longbottom," Gretchen shot back.

"It's Barron now," Frankie said sweetly. "And sure, the original is one of a kind. That's a cheap knock off from Gladrags."

"And it looks to me like someone needs to have their roots done," Clara said looking at Alicia.

"I'm a natural blonde, Choovanski," Alicia returned coolly. "Like you even know your natural hair colour anymore."

"You've never been a natural anything," Frankie said glaring at her. "Go away, Alicia."

"Aren't we tetchy," Alicia smiled disdainfully. "Your boring life getting you down in the dumps? It's too bad you don't feel like hanging out with me and Gretch here. We've been the life of every party we've been at this evening."

"Please," Frankie said rolling her eyes. "As if I'd want to spend time with you and the wannabe anyway. I'm here with my real friends. The people who have always cared about me."

"Why don't you just leave Frankie alone, Alicia?" Maddie asked. "You were her best friend and you turned on her when she needed you."

Alicia glared at her. "And you were all too happy to jump in and take my place, weren't you? As if you know anything about me and Franks. You're nothing but a self-righteous, smug virgin."

"That’s it," Frankie got up and threw the remains of her drink at her former friend. "Get the hell out of my face, Alicia Knowles, and take your brat pack with you. If I ever see you again I'll hex you with spots and any other heinous spell I can think of. Don't you dare insult Maddie that way. She knows what it's like to be someone's friend, and to be unselfish."

"I can't believe you just did that!" Alicia hissed. "I'll get you back for this, Frankie Longbottom."

"Barron," Frankie corrected with a wide grin. "The name is Frankie Barron."

"Frankie Boring more like," Alicia said shrilly. "You've ruined my dress!"

"I think I made quite an improvement actually," Frankie said sitting back down. "And I think now it's you who's washed out."

"Would you like to match?" Clara asked Gretchen, who looked as if she wanted to run the other way.

"N-no," Gretchen stammered. "I-I'm good. Thanks."

"Goodbye," Frankie said, giving the group a jaunty wave. "Have a GREAT New Year's."

Alicia gave her former best friend an icy glare before stalking off with Gretchen in tow.

"That was amazing," Clara gushed. "I've never seen anyone handle Alicia like that."

"She's such a snotty stupid bitch," Frankie fumed.

"And that Gretchen is nothing but a complete poser," Clara said rolling her eyes.

"Obviously," Maddie put a hand on Frankie's arm. "Don't listen to anything either one of them say. You know you're a great person Frankie."

"Thanks Maddie," Frankie said giving her friend a hug. "You really are my best friend, you know? You were right there for me when I needed you most."

"You're welcome," Maddie smiled at her. "I'm glad to be your best friend."

"And I really do think this is going to be the best year ever," Frankie said with a wink.

"Each year gets better than the last," Will said with a grin.

"Hear, hear." Bree agreed as Ethan and Justin came back with drinks.

"You missed the fireworks," Maddie told her boyfriend.

"I saw them from across the room." Ethan handed his girlfriend a mai tai. "I got you a replacement," he told Frankie with a grin. "That was bloody brilliant what you did by the way."

"Thanks," Frankie said beaming at him.

"How much longer until midnight?" Mason asked, kissing his girlfriend's neck. "I want to drag you off to some dark corner." he whispered.

Bree grinned. "That could be arranged..."

"A little pre New Year's celebration," he smiled back at her. "Come on gorgeous."

"Be good," Ethan teased as Bree stood up.

Mason gave them all a teasing smirk. "See you all next year." he replied as Bree led him off.

"Baby you want to follow their lead?" Justin asked.

"You sure it's not past your bedtime?" Ethan asked dryly.

"Sod off," Sarah told him.

"Come on Sarah," Justin said taking her hand. "Let's go dance."

Just before he led her onto the dance floor, Justin leaned down to say something to Ethan.

"Good luck," he whispered to his best friend making sure Maddie couldn't hear.

Ethan grinned at him in reply. "I have a surprise for you," he told his girlfriend. "You won't get it until midnight though."

"I love surprises," Maddie said grinning at him.

"It's not food," Ethan teased.

"I know what it is," Frankie said in a sing-song voice.

"Give me a hint," Maddie asked.

"I think it will make you happy," Ethan said thoughtfully.

Frankie snorted. "Come on, Ethan. It's going to---"

"On that note," Will said clamping his hand over Frankie's mouth. "Frankie and I are going to go dance..."

"You have a thing for surprising me on New Year's Eve don't you," Maddie said once they'd gone.

"Maybe a bit," Ethan grinned. "Why- you don't like it?"

"I do," Maddie said softly. "But you've given me so much, Ethan. I don't think there's anything else I could ever want or need since I have you."

"You'll always have me," Ethan leaned in and kissed her softly. "I don't know what I'd do without you in my life Mads."

"You'll never have to find out," she said. "Because you are stuck with me now whether you like it or not."

He kissed her again. "Best news I've ever heard."

"I think Frankie's right," Maddie said resting her head on his shoulder. "I think this really is going to be the best year for all of us."

"I hope so," he said, smoothing back a stray curl of her hair. She looked breathtaking that evening- dressed in a strappy black number, her hair half pulled up in loose curls. Ethan had barely been able to take his eyes off her all night.

"I hope Drew's date is going well," Maddie said. "She really fancies Brian and he seems like such a nice bloke."

"He likes her a lot, that's fairly obvious," Ethan pulled her closer.

"She's been through so much," Maddie said quietly. "And if anyone deserves happiness, it's Drew."

"Sure she does- after the way that wanker Paul treated her." Ethan agreed.

Maddie leaned against him. "I just have such a good feeling about this year, Ethan. Josh has his book deal and the triplets are happy and healthy. Jon and Allie are trying to have another baby. Saffy's well on her way to being Head Girl and...there is one thing that's troubling me."

"What's that?" Ethan asked her.

"Do you remember Christmas morning at the Burrow?" she asked him. "I had a vision."

"I remember that," Ethan nodded.

Maddie sighed. "In the vision, R.J. and Saffron were arguing and she told him she was never going to speak to him again."

"That sounds like an everyday occurrence between those two," Ethan chuckled. "I wouldn't let it worry you."

Maddie frowned. "She sounded really angry, Ethan. And she said...she said that R.J. had done something to break Alexa's heart."

"Hmm," he mused. "They're all teenagers Mads. They're bound to have their fights and break-ups."

"I know," Maddie said. "Maybe it was something minor, but Saffy was really, really angry with him, Ethan. I just want my brother to be happy."

"He will be," Ethan kissed her again. "Just like we are."

Maddie smiled. "I love you, Ethan."

"Love you too," he said. "Come on- we don't necessarily have to wait until midnight for this."

Maddie giggled. "What are you up to, Mr. Potter?"

"You'll see," he said with a grin.

"Are we leaving?" Maddie asked. "Shouldn't we say goodbye to Frankie and Will?"

"We'll come back." Ethan promised.

"Okay," Maddie said slowly wondering what he was up to.

"We're going to have to take a portkey," Ethan said, reaching into his pocket.

Maddie watched as Ethan pulled out a mobile telephone. Maddie smiled. "You're not telling me where we're going then?"

"I think you'll figure out where we are once we get there." Ethan grinned at her. "Come on."

Maddie placed a hand on the mobile. "Okay."

Ethan tapped it with his wand and they were pulled away from the busy, noisy club to the meadow located behind The Burrow.

Maddie blinked at first not sure where they were. But, as she turned around she could just make out her grandparents' house. "Ethan..."

"It's back here," he said, stuffing the mobile back into his pocket and taking her hand.

Maddie shivered as she allowed Ethan to lead her further into the meadow.

He was glad he'd had the foresight to charm the blanket they'd be sitting on for warmth. "Just through here..." he said, leading her past a few of the trees. "Surprise," he whispered once they were in the clearing.

Maddie stared in awe at the scene before her. "This is where we..."

"First twirled," Ethan said a teasing glint in his eyes.

"But---why are we here?" Maddie asked softly.

"Come on let's go sit down," Ethan dodged her question. "I have some champagne for us and the blanket's warm."

Maddie followed Ethan over to the blanket and he helped her sit down. "This is so romantic," she said dreamily.

He grinned at her as he poured them both a glass of the champagne. "To us," he said.

"To us," Maddie said clinking her glass against his.

Ethan gazed at his watch and noticed he had about five minutes until midnight- which was the exact moment he wanted to propose. "You know I love you more than anything," he said intently.

"Yes," she whispered. "And I feel the same way."

He leaned in and kissed her rather passionately, moving his hands up her sides, running his palms over her curves.

"Ethan," she breathed.

"You're amazing," he whispered.

"You're not so bad either," she said grinning slyly at him.

"I can't believe it's already been a year and a half," he said, tucking her hair behind her ear. "And two years since I finally saw what a beautiful person you are."

"After years and years of running away from me," Maddie teased.

Ethan laughed. "You're never going to let me live that down are you?"

"Never," she said laughing.

He kissed her again. "And I gave you this a year ago already," he lifted her right hand and looked at the promise ring. "Remember what I told you that night?"

"How could I have forgotten?" Maddie asked. "Ethan that was the happiest night of my life."

Ethan was almost shaking, he was so nervous. "Well..." he said, his mouth suddenly dry. "Maybe I can make tonight better." he fumbled in his pocket for the ring box. Her eyes widened as he brought it out and opened it up. "I promised you I'd marry you someday... so..." he swallowed hard. "Will you marry me, Madeline Molly Weasley?"

Maddie looked from the ring to Ethan knowing that she should say something, but unable to do so. Ethan was asking her to marry him?

"Maddie?" he asked uncertainly.

"You...you want to marry me?" she asked her voice breaking.

"More than anything," he replied, still holding the ring out to her.

A single tear fell down Maddie's cheek. "That's what I want, too. More than anything."

Ethan smiled in relief. "So... I can safely assume your answer is yes?" he pulled the ring from the box.

"Yes!" Maddie exclaimed throwing her arms around him nearly knocking him over in the process. "Yes! Yes! Yes!"

Ethan laughed as she pushed him flat on his back and began kissing him.

"Mads? It's not that I don't like what you're doing," Ethan said chuckling, "but can I at least put the ring on your finger?"

"Sorry," she said, wiping her eyes with her right hand.

Ethan took her left hand and slowly slid the ring onto her finger.

"It's official," Maddie said admiring the ring. "And it's so beautiful, Ethan."

"I'm glad you like it," he said, kissing her. "Julie and Saffron helped me pick it out."

"They did a brilliant job," Maddie said softly.

"Only the best for you," he said, holding her close. "We're finally engaged Mads..."

Maddie rested her head on his shoulder feeling safe, warm and happy. "We're getting married, Ethan."

He laughed. "We have to decide on a date. And even though most of our families know already, we have to announce it."

"Did you want a long engagement?" Maddie asked.

"It's up to you," he said, looking down at her. "I'll go with whatever you want to do."

"How about June?" Maddie asked. "R.J. and Saffy will be finished with school and Julie will be home..."

"Sure," Ethan smiled at her.

"Drew and Darla can plan it," Maddie said smiling back at him.

He stood up and pulled her up with him. "Anything you want," he said, holding her close and pressing his face to her hair. "I love you so much."

"I love you," she said laughing as he started to spin her around.

"Come on," he laughed too. "Let's go spread the word eh?"

"I can't wait to tell Frankie," Maddie said. "But then again, from what she was saying, she probably already knew..."

"Yeah I think Jules might have mentioned it to her," Ethan said sheepishly.

"I'm the last to know then," Maddie teased.

"For good reason," Ethan kissed her again. "I'm going to make you so happy Mads..."

The club was still packed with people celebrating the New Year. Frankie was holding court with Will and her friends and wondering when or if Ethan and Maddie would return.

"I know she said yes," Frankie told Will. "She wouldn't turn him down."

"Of course she wouldn't," Will replied.

Mason looked at Bree. "You okay with your ex getting engaged?"

"Of course I am," Bree said. "Ethan and I are friends and I want him to be happy."

"I still wish it could have been the two of you," Sarah said honestly. "But, Mason's not that bad and you can't not like Maddie."

Mason laughed. "Thanks for the vote of confidence, Sarah."

"That's so true- on both counts, although Mason is more than just not bad," Bree moved closer to her boyfriend. "Maddie is the most likeable person I know."

Clara nodded. "And she has the greatest hair. Is it naturally curly like that?"

"Believe it or not," Frankie nodded.

"Well, you can hate her for that," Clara joked. "I'd kill for that hair."

Frankie laughed. "You'd have to get in line then."

Will laughed as Frankie moved over to sit on his lap. "Can't keep away from me, can you?"

"No way," Frankie said her arms around him. "Happy New Year Will. I love you." she gave him a kiss.

"I love you too," he said grinning at her. "Mrs. Boring."

Frankie laughed. "Mr. Boring," she teased. "You boring old textbook writer."

Will tickled her side. "That really was fantastic what you did tonight, Franks."

"You mean tossing my drink on that silly bint?" Frankie asked. "I totally agree."

"That was classic," Clara said laughing. "Made my New Year."

"I aim to please," Frankie grinned at her.

"FRANKIE!" someone called out over the crowd. They all turned to see Maddie running toward them with Ethan in tow.

"YOU SAID YES!" Frankie screeched, jumping up. "YOU SAID YES DIDN'T YOU?"

Maddie could only squeal as she hugged her best friend.

"You're getting married!" Frankie squealed back. "Oh congratulations Maddie! You too Ethan!"

"Let's see the ring," Clara said standing up and walking over to them. "Oooooh...."

Bree gave Ethan a hug. "Congratulations, Ethan."

"Thanks Bree," Ethan smiled at her. "It means a lot to me that you're okay with this."

"I'm just glad that everything worked out," Bree said smiling back at him. "For all of us."

"That it did," Ethan shook Mason's hand. "When are you two going to catch up?" he teased.

"Ethan!" Bree said hitting him on the back.

"He does have a point," Sarah cast a meaningful look at Mason.

"Someday," Mason said smiling at Bree. "I do hope that she'll do me that honour."

Bree blushed a deep red colour.

"You are positively glowing," Frankie told her friend. "I am so excited for you Maddie!"

"It was the most romantic thing ever," Maddie said sitting down. "We took a portkey back to the meadow behind the Burrow, you know where we first reconnected, I guess you could say."

"Twirled," Justin said gleefully. "When you and Ethan first twirled."

Sarah elbowed her own fiancé in the side.

"And he had champagne," Maddie continued. "And he asked me and I felt like I was going to pass out."

"Very good Ethan," Frankie nodded approvingly.

Ethan grinned. "Thank you, Frankie. I'm glad you approve."

"We're thinking we'd get married in June, or perhaps early autumn if June is too soon." Maddie said.

"A June wedding would be fantastic," Frankie said. "But then again, autumn would be really nice, too."

"Drew and Darla are going to plan it, aren't they?" Will asked.

"Of course," Maddie nodded. "And Frankie... I would absolutely love it if you'd be my matron of honour."

"I'd love to," Frankie said beaming at her. "Oooh, I just had an image of Emma walking down the aisle as the flower girl!"

"She'd be perfect," Maddie agreed. "Oooh I'm so excited," she hugged Ethan.

"What did I tell you," Frankie said. "BEST YEAR EVER!"

*** *** ***

"And then he took her to the Burrow and he had a blanket set out with some champagne," Saffron was intent on relaying the tale of her brother's proposal to Alexa, who was listening all starry eyed. "And once they were sitting down, he pulled out the ring and asked her to marry him. You should have SEEN them on New Year's Day when they came over for brunch. They both couldn't stop grinning! It was soooo sweet!"

"That's so romantic," Alexa said dreamily.

R.J. and Andrew shared a look and rolled their eyes. "You act like no one's ever proposed to anyone before," R.J. said.

"Well WE think it's romantic," Saffron returned. "And I get to be a bridesmaid!"

"You and everyone else," R.J. said. "Allie, Frankie, Drew, Darla, Julie, Chiaki...."

"Stop it," Saffron shot back. "It's going to be a gorgeous, romantic wedding."

"What kind of dress are you going to wear?" Alexa asked hoping to head off any argument. "Or is it too early for that?"

"We're not sure yet," Saffron replied. "They're going to look and when I'm home for Easter hols we'll come to a final decision. Aunt Lav of course is designing Maddie's gown. She wants to wear a dress instead of robes."

"If I ever get married, I'd want to wear a dress instead of robes, too," Alexa admitted.

"I want robes," Saffron said. "Long, flowing robes."

"If you two are going to keep talking about dresses and weddings, I think I'm going to leave," R.J. said rolling his eyes.

"Big baby," Saffron shook her head as she leaned against Andrew. "I have to go patrolling soon."

"You've been looking forward to that," Andrew teased. "I'm sure."

Saffron groaned. "I'd rather stay in here with you."

"Me too," Andrew said putting an arm around her. "Hey R.J., this is our last few months at Hogwarts. Can you believe it?"

"I know," R.J. nodded. "I can't believe it either. And we still have the Quidditch Cup- which we have to win. Puddlemere will HAVE to take me if we win."

"We've got that in the bag," Saffron said smugly. "We're the only team that's undefeated."

"Damn straight," R.J. said proudly.

Alexa smiled. "I think you'll get taken by Puddlemere regardless, R.J.. They're crazy over you."

"As crazy as you are for me?" he teased her.

Alexa blushed. "Maybe that crazy..."

"I'd better get patrolling," Saffron said, standing up. "I shouldn't be gone too long."

"Take some points off of the Slytherins," R.J. said. "You know, just for being wankers."

Saffron laughed. "Tempting..."

Saffron left the compartment and was surprised to find things in the corridor rather quiet.

She wished she could have Andrew accompany her but she knew by now that having alone time with him meant that they'd do nothing but snog.

"Saffron," Peter said from behind her.

Saffron froze and then turned around. "What do you want?" she asked icily. "I'm busy doing rounds."

He smiled at her. "Did you have a nice holiday?"

She raised an eyebrow. "As a matter of fact, I did, but I don't know what business that is of yours." she said, turning to leave.

"I bought you something actually," he said putting a hand out to stop her. "For Christmas."

"I don't want it," Saffron replied bluntly.

"Saffy," Peter said looking at her the way he used to before everything changed. "I know you hate me now and you have every right to. I just...we were friends before all of this happened."

"Were being the operative word here," Saffron said coolly. "We're all over now Peter."

"Is there any chance that we could be friends again?" Peter asked hopefully. "I'm not proud of what happened, Saffron. If I could change it, I would."

"I don't think so," Saffron said uncomfortably. "Peter... we can't just go back all right?"

"We had some good times, Saffy," Peter said. "You can't just forget about that."

"Oh excuse me, are you the pot or the kettle here?" Saffron asked furiously. "You seemed to have no problem forgetting about me when you were snogging Christina Grant."

"I regret that," Peter said stepping closer to her. "You know I do. I made a very bad mistake. I know you won't take me back. I'm just asking you to be my friend, Saffy."

"Just leave me alone Peter," Saffron backed away from him.

"No," he said grabbing her arm and pulling her into an empty compartment. "Not until you listen to me!"

"Let me go," she said, glaring at him. "I have nothing to say to you Peter, and I'm not interested in anything you have to say to me."

"Saffy," Peter said still holding onto her. He couldn't think of anything left to say so he did the only thing he could think of, he pressed his lips to hers.

Saffron pushed away as hard as she could. "GET AWAY from me!" she snapped. "How dare you kiss me after what you did during the holiday?"

"We were doing fine!" Peter said rounding on her. "But you were just using me, weren't you?"

"How the hell was I using you?" Saffron retorted. "I liked you Peter. Until you got all jealous and possessive on me!"

"You wanted R.J. the whole time," Peter said bitterly. "And I guess since you couldn't get him, you settled for his best friend."

"Oh Merlin," Saffron rolled her eyes. "I do NOT want R.J.. He's happily dating my best friend. And what's going on with Andrew and me is NONE of your bloody business."

"Does he know he was your second choice?" Peter asked angrily. "Did you ever think that was why I went with those other girls?"

"Why don't you tell me why you went with those other girls," Saffron's eyes glinted coldly.

Peter looked away. "This isn't how this was supposed to go, Saffy. I have fancied you since the moment I met you. I never in a million years thought you'd ever like me back, but then you did and people who never noticed me before were suddenly blushing when I walked by or flirting with me...."

"And it went to your head," Saffron finished.

Peter nodded. "I hated the person I became, Saffy. I didn't realise it until it was too late."

"Too late," Saffron said. "If you'll excuse me, I have Prefect duties to perform."

Peter nodded. "I really am sorry, Saffron."

The compartment door slid open and Andrew and R.J. came stalking inside.

"What the hell are you doing?" Andrew asked angrily.

"Nothing," Saffron said, pushing past all of them. "I have rounds to do."

"Are you okay, Saffy?" Andrew asked. "I wasn't talking about you. I was talking about that arse." He pointed to Peter.

"I just wanted her to talk to me," Peter explained. "That's all."

"It's fine," Saffron said. "We're finished here."

"I should probably go," Peter said hastily leaving the compartment.

"Are you really all right?" R.J. asked his friend.

Saffron nodded. "I ran into him in the hall and he pulled me in here..."

She decided not to tell them about Peter's attempted kiss. It would just make an already bad situation worse.

Andrew looked at her. "Did he do anything to you?"

"No," Saffron replied. "He just...he wanted us to still be friends and I told him it wasn't possible after everything that had happened."

Andrew's face relaxed at her words. "Oh..."

"I really do need to finish rounds," Saffron said kissing his cheek. "I'll catch up with you in a few minutes, okay?"

"Okay," he smiled at her.

Saffron waved at R.J. before walking out of the compartment.

"Never a dull moment, eh?" R.J. asked.

"I don't trust that wanker for a moment," Andrew replied.

"We'll have to keep an eye on him," R.J. said.

"That's putting it mildly." Andrew said as they headed back to their compartment.

"Reminds me of that Ben bloke who is after Lex," R.J. said.

"Didn't she say he asked her to do something with him over hols?" Andrew asked.

R.J. nodded. "And then he goes and buys her a bloody bracelet for Christmas. He's not her boyfriend. I am."

"Obviously he wants that title," Andrew replied. "Good thing she's so stoked on you."

"Aye," R.J. agreed, but it didn't make him feel any better. "At least she isn't wearing it around me."

"She's got it bad for you mate," Andrew reassured him. "I hope the same thing happens for me and Saffron."

"You're on your way," R.J. said. "Saf's crazy about you. I saw the two of you on New Year's Eve."

Andrew grinned. "That was great."

R.J. slid open the compartment door and wasn't surprised to see Alexa kipping. She'd worked all day yesterday at her mum's bakery.

He smiled and brushed her hair off her forehead, then sat down and pulled out the latest copy of his Quidditch magazine.

Andrew decided he too would take advantage of the quiet and get some sleep. He stretched out on his seat and closed his eyes.

"R.J.," Alexa said in her sleep. "Mmmmmmm....."

"What is it?" R.J. whispered, leaning over. "Lexie?"

"Don't stop," she murmured, still asleep.

"Huh?" he asked. "I'm not doing anything."

She turned over on her side. "I'm ready...."

His eyes widened and he gulped. "Lexie?" he asked, touching her shoulder.

Alexa's eyes blinked open and she looked up at R.J.. She'd been dreaming that they were in his room at Hogwarts, all alone. "What?" she asked warily.

"You were um... dreaming." he turned red.

"Oh," she said wondering why he was looking at her like that.

"Do you uh... remember what you were dreaming about?" he asked.

"Um," Alexa stammered, sitting up. "It's kind of personal actually."

"Well you were... telling me- in your dream- not to stop," R.J. said, hoping his best friend was asleep and not listening in.

"You heard that?" Alexa asked turning crimson. "How embarrassing!"

"Lexie its okay--" he began.

"No, it's not," Alexa said shaking her head.

"I didn't mind," he said. "Wait- that didn't come out right. I mean... I've thought about it- but I'd still never push you. I love you Lex."

"I know," she said finally looking at him. "It's just that lately...lately, I've been thinking about it a lot. And I've obviously been dreaming about it."

R.J. smiled at her. "It's up to you," he said.

"Well," she whispered. "We probably won't be able to do that at school."

"No," he shook his head with a laugh. "Definitely not there."

"But maybe this summer," Alexa said shyly.

He squeezed her hand. "Whenever you decide you're ready Lexie," he said, giving her a gentle kiss.

"I love you," she whispered.

"Love you," he whispered back.

"So I guess this means that you're ready then?" Alexa asked cheekily.

R.J. tickled her side. "I'm a guy aren't I?"

Alexa giggled. "Stupid question."

"Okay I'm all finished," Saffron came back into the compartment.

"Take any points from anyone?" Alexa asked.

"Of course I did," Saffron said. "Christina Grant, just for being as ugly as she is."

Alexa giggled. "Way to abuse your power, Saffron."

"Well she tried to trip me," Saffron replied. "So I docked her ten points."

"Well within her rights there," R.J. said. "Good one, Saf."

"Thanks," Saffron flopped onto the bench next to her boyfriend. "Wake up sleepyhead."

Andrew grinned sleepily at her. "Hiya Saffy."

"Sleeping on the job are you?" she teased, leaning over and giving him a kiss.

He laughed. "Just resting up for you is all."

"Good boy," she smiled at him. "You're so cute when you're all bleary eyed like that."

"You could lie down with me too, you know," Andrew said. "We could both take a nice, long kip."

"There are a few other things I'd rather do," Saffron said. "And there's an empty compartment near the front of the train."

"Who needs sleep?" Andrew asked suddenly very alert.

R.J. snorted. "Certainly neither of you."

"I could take points from you for not showing respect," Saffron said.

"Oh please," R.J. said. "You've never taken points from me."

"Don't make me start," Saffron said, taking Andrew's hand and pulling him out the door.

"She could take points from you," Alexa said resting her head on R.J.'s shoulder.

"Not for something like that," R.J. replied. "Enough talking about Saffron. We've finally got a compartment to ourselves..."

"Here it is," Saffron pushed the door aside and smiled at Andrew.

Andrew pulled the curtains so they'd have privacy. "I think I'm going to like having a prefect for a girlfriend."

Saffron giggled. "Are you now?"

"Yes," he said pulling her close. "I think so."

"Show me how much you like it," she purred.

Andrew leaned in and kissed her. "Well, there's that," he whispered before moving down to her neck. "And this...."

"Mmm..." her eyes closed as her head lolled back. "What else?"

Andrew pulled her down on the bench seat. "This..."

Saffron kissed him hard, running her hands over his chest and shoulders. "And that," she said breathlessly before kissing him again.

"That," Andrew said teasingly. "I've always liked that."

Saffron grinned back at him. "I'm really glad we got together Andrew."

"Me too Saffron," he said softly. "Me too."

"Can I ask you something?" she said, kissing him again.

"Sure," he replied.

"Why did you start fancying me?" she asked curiously.

He looked thoughtfully at her, not expecting that to be her question. "I've always thought you were pretty, Saffy. And smart and funny, but remember that day R.J. and Lex were called into McGonagall's office? You and I talked for the first time just the two of us and I don't know...something changed for me then."

"I always thought you were cute," Saffron said as he pulled her closer. "But it was after we kissed that one night- I just couldn't stop thinking about you."

"I wasn't taking advantage of you that night," Andrew said quietly. "I was afraid that's what you thought."

"I wanted it just as much as you did," Saffron said sheepishly.

Andrew smiled. "I'm glad you told me that."

She leaned in and kissed him again. "We still have a few hours until we have to be at school you know..."

"Any idea of what you'd want to do?" Andrew asked mischievously.

"I have a few ideas," she said. "We might want to lock that door so no one bursts in on us."

"I love the way you think," Andrew said getting up to lock the door.

"Now come back here," she said, patting the bench.

"Anyone ever tell you that you were a bit bossy?" Andrew asked teasingly.

"All the time," Saffron said with a grin.

"I have a feeling I'm not going to mind too much," Andrew said.

"Good," Saffron said as he sat back down. "Where were we?"

"Right about here..." Andrew answered.

90. NINETY WOO

In this chapter you get the beginning of H/Hr’s second honeymoon, which will stretch over a few chapters. And can you believe only 10 chapters left until we hit ONE HUNDRED? Yikes this is no longer a story but a soap opera! LOL

As always, please leave a review so we know what you’re all thinking!

"Remember that you need to have that report to the Spanish Minister by the 13th," Hermione said looking across her desk at Samuel who was furiously scribbling notes. "And there are the weekly departmental meetings. I've managed to reschedule most of them, but you will probably need to meet with Cross in the Floo Regulation Department. Apparently, there have been some unauthorised connections and we'll need to investigate that thoroughly."

Samuel nodded. "I've already scheduled him for a meeting on Thursday."

"Good," Hermione said nodding. "And I've ...."

Her office doors swung open and Harry purposefully walked inside. Without a word, he walked around Hermione's desk and picked her up.

"Harry?" she asked. "What are you doing?"

"It's time to go," he said as if the answer was obvious.

"But we're not leaving until tomorrow morning," Hermione said.

"Change of plans," he said with a grin at Samuel, who obviously had been in on this.

"But I still have--" Hermione protested.

"Taken care of," Samuel interjected.

"Yes, but--" Hermione sputtered.

"That's taken care of too," Harry said. "Come on Hermione. Second honeymoon awaits us..."

"I haven't finished packing," Hermione said as Harry carried her out of the office.

"I finished for you," Harry said.

"You?" Hermione asked in disbelief. "Harry, no offence, but you aren't the greatest at packing."

"Like it matters," Harry finally set her down. "We'll be there twenty minutes from now."

Hermione smiled. "Okay. Since you have everything under control..."

"That I do," Harry said in satisfaction

"I read the weather report for the Swan Islands this morning," Hermione said. "Warm and sunny."

"Perfect," Harry gave her a kiss. "I can't wait to be alone with you."

"Me too," Hermione said. "You know you haven't told me where we're staying..."

"Where do you think?" Harry said.

"The same place as before?" Hermione asked hopefully. "I thought it had..."

"Still open for business," Harry replied. "Same room too."

Hermione threw her arms around him. "Harry!"

He laughed. "Excited now?"

"Are you kidding?" Hermione asked. "Let's go!"

"As you wish," Harry kissed her again. "I sent our luggage ahead."

"I probably won't need these robes," Hermione said shrugging out of them.

"Nah," Harry said. "We have to go back to my office to get the portkey so we can leave our robes there."

"Okay," Hermione said taking his hand. "You know this is just what we needed. Time away. Just the two of us."

"I couldn't agree more," Harry nodded. "I love being with family but sometimes I need to escape with you."

"I couldn't agree more," she said. "No bloody reporters...."

Harry kissed his wife again. "Just you, me, a bedroom, and the beach."

"Paradise," Hermione said dreamily.

"My paradise is wherever you are," Harry commented lustily.

"Come on...." she said. "The sooner we get to your office, the sooner we can go."

"Right," Harry said eagerly. "By the way, I packed your red bikini."

"Harry," Hermione said putting her hands on her hips. "I haven't worn that in years and I hardly have the same body I had back then."

"Then you'll show more skin," Harry grinned wickedly.

"And probably scare half the island with how pale I am," Hermione said.

"Which will be taken care of in a matter of a few days in the sun," Harry waved off the objection. "The red bikini is for my eyes only anyhow."

"That's probably a good thing," Hermione said. They quickly rode the lift down to the Auror division and made their way to Harry's office.

They tossed their cloaks on the sofa as Harry rummaged through his drawers for the portkey he'd set up. "Here it is," he said, pulling out an old Quidditch magazine.

"Oooh," Hermione teased. "Romantic..."

"Takes us both ways," Harry said.

Hermione put a hand on the magazine. "Ready?"

“I’ve been ready all day,” he teased, tapping it with his wand.

Nearly twenty minutes later, Harry and Hermione arrived in their hotel room. There had been some changes over the years, but the view still took Hermione's breath away.

"I can't believe we're actually here," she said looking out the window at the beach.

Harry came up behind her and wound his arms around her waist. "And how much has changed since we were last here..."

"Does Rafael still run this place?" Hermione asked relaxing against her husband.

"No it's some bloke named Michael now," Harry replied. "Nice guy too."

"Muggle?" Hermione asked. "This is a Muggle hotel..."

"Yeah he's a Muggle," Harry replied, kissing the side of her neck.

"Don't you start," Hermione teased. "I want to go down to the beach..."

"The beach will still be there later," Harry said. "Besides, it's only eight in the morning here. Plenty of sun..."

She turned around to look at him properly. "Did anyone ever tell you that you have a one track mind?"

"You do all the time," Harry grinned. "But you never seem to mind it."

Hermione looped her arms around his neck. "Well then....how about you show me the bedroom again? I might need my memory refreshed."

"I can do that," Harry said huskily, scooping her up.

"I love it when you do that," Hermione said laughing.

"Your feet shouldn't be touching the ground you know," Harry teased, carrying her into the bedroom of their suite.

"They shouldn't?" Hermione asked as he set her gently down on the bed.

"Not while we're in this room," Harry said, lying next to her. "You still take my breath away Hermione..." he said, brushing her hair from her face.

"I feel the same way," she said softly.

He leaned in and kissed her, pushing her back onto the pillows.

"You know," Hermione said undoing his shirt buttons. "As I recall, our first time here...we didn't leave the room for three days."

"Just got room service," Harry chuckled.

Hermione smiled wickedly up at him. "And do they still have that big bathtub, too?"

"I'll find out once we're done here," Harry said, his face buried in her neck.

"Come up here," she murmured wanting to kiss him.

Harry did as his wife said, pressing his lips back to hers urgently.

Hermione's arms wrapped around him and she pressed him even closer.

He pulled off her shirt and edged her skirt down her legs. "I can't wait to see you in that bikini," he commented lustily.

"I bet you can't wait to get me in the water so you can take off that bikini," she said with a grin.

"That too," Harry agreed, laughing. "But first things first."

"Like getting you out of these," Hermione said tugging at his trousers.

"That might speed things along a little," he grinned.

Hermione giggled as Harry reluctantly stood up so he could get out of his trousers and his boxers. "Amazing," she said admiringly.

"Still impressive aye?" he asked proudly.

"Very," she purred.

Harry got back down on the bed and kissed her again, sliding her knickers off and dropping them on top of their pile of clothes.

With one deft movement, he was inside her and Hermione gasped.

"That hasn't changed either," Harry kissed her neck again, moving his lips over her shoulders. "Still my Rabbit Queen."

Hermione giggled. "And you are still the king..."

"No matter who tries to top us," Harry said as he began to move with her.

"As if they could," Hermione said kissing him.

He grunted, unable to talk as he pulled her closer.

"Yes," she whispered.

"This always..." he breathed. "Feels amazing..."

Hermione could only nod in agreement, words escaping her at the moment.

He kissed her again as he moaned his release, her body shuddering underneath his.

"Wow," she muttered. "Just wow...

"Yeah," he said, rolling off to her side. "That just knackered me out." he laughed.

"I should tell the bad guys what your Achilles' heel is," Hermione teased cuddling up to him.

Harry snorted in reply.

"I feel completely relaxed," Hermione said softly. "I'm not even going to think about wor---"

"You're not allowed to say that word at all this week." Harry told her.

"Not thinking about the 'w' word for an entire week?" Hermione asked, biting her bottom lip. "I don't know...."

"I'll be here to keep your mind off it," Harry said, kissing her.

"So," she said softly. "When do we go down to the beach?"

"How about we kip for just a little while..." Harry suggested sleepily. "And we'll go down there later this afternoon?"

"Okay," Hermione said suppressing a laugh. "The old man is tired..."

Harry poked her side. "You're older than me."

"Yes, but I'm not the one completely knackered," she pointed out.

"Sod off," Harry replied.

"I'm only joking," she said closing her eyes. "I'm sleepy, too."

"You just don't want me to feel bad," Harry said with a grin, his eyes closed as well.

"Get some sleep," Hermione said already drifting off. "We'll both need our strength..."

"Is that a promise Potter?" Harry asked, pulling her closer.

"Mmmhmm," Hermione replied.

*** *** ***

Lavender Brown Finnigan was by no means a woman who sat back and watched another woman horn in on her man- at least not anymore. Seamus was hers and it was going to stay that way. Still annoyed at what had transpired at the Christmas party and Parvati's subsequent behaviour with Maddie at the Ministry, Lavender decided to step in and put her plan in action.

Before dropping by Parvati's office, she stopped by Maddie's to talk to the younger woman for a moment.

"Lavender?" Maddie asked looking up from her paperwork. "What are you doing here?"

"I'm going out to lunch with Parvati," Lavender said, laughing at the look on Maddie's face at her words.

"Voluntarily?" Maddie asked.

"I have my reasons," Lavender said slyly. "You'll know them soon enough." she smiled. "But I wanted to stop by again and congratulate you on your engagement and tell you that I'd be happy to design your dress. Ethan mentioned something to Hermione about it the other day."

Maddie squealed. "Oh, Lavender! Thank you so much!"

Lavender hugged her. "I already have some fantastic ideas, but if there's anything specific you want, let me know."

"Maybe we could meet sometime while you're still over here?" Maddie suggested.

"I'd love that," Lavender said warmly. "Let's meet for dinner some night when Ethan's working."

"That sounds lovely," Maddie said. She caught sight of Parvati walking their way and groaned.

"Lavender!" Parvati said brightly. "How lovely to see you again! And where is Seamus?"

"Working," Lavender said with a false smile. "But I was rather hoping you'd be free Parvati. I'd love to take you to lunch and... get to know you better."

"I'd love that," Parvati said smiling at her. "Madeline? Do you think you'll be okay without me?"

"I'm sure I can manage," Maddie said in a cooler tone.

"Fantastic," Parvati said. "Let me just grab my bag. I know the most amazing bistro that we can go to. Unless, you have your heart set on that awful cafeteria."

"Bistro sounds good to me," Lavender replied.

"What's wrong with the cafeteria?" Maddie asked, setting her quill down. "Lots of people like it."

"It's a little gauche, don't you think?" Parvati asked. "I mean what can you expect from Minister Potter? I imagine she never eats in it anyway."

"You mean my future mother in law?" Maddie's eyebrow arched dangerously.

"And my cousin?" Lavender asked folding her arms. "Who is also my best friend?"

"I didn't mean any offence," Parvati said quickly. "I'll just go and grab my bag and cloak and we can go, Lavender."

"Right," Lavender relaxed her face.

"Ugh I cannot bloody stand that woman," Maddie said once Parvati was out of earshot. "Why are you having lunch with her? How can you stand it?"

"Don't you worry, Maddie," Lavender said vaguely. "I don't this Miss Patil is going to be a problem for that much longer..."

Maddie shook her head but went back to her work.

"Ready to go?" Parvati asked.

"I sure am," Lavender said, acting as if she were excited.

"Ta, Madeline," Parvati called out over her shoulder leading the way out of the department. To Lavender's horror, the dark-haired woman linked arms with her. "That poor girl needs so much direction from me. She told me just yesterday that she considered me her mentor."

Lavender almost burst out laughing. "Did she now?" she asked, biting her lower lip.

"Yes," Parvati said nodding. "She's very much like her mother. I know you didn't know Ron Ron when you were at school, but if you had, you would have thought Luna Lovegood was the last person he would ever date, let alone marry."

"You call him Ron Ron?" Lavender asked in disbelief.

"That's my pet name for him," Parvati explained. "He used to love it when I called him that."

"I see," Lavender replied. "And Luna's a lovely woman."

"I'm sure she is," Parvati said. "I don't really know her all that well."

"Mmmhmm..." Lavender said thoughtfully.

"I will tell you this," Parvati said conspiratorially. "No one knows this actually. You have to promise not to tell anyone."

"Not a soul," Lavender crossed her fingers.

"Okay," Parvati said looking over her shoulder to make sure no one was around. "Well, you know how I went to school with the boys, right? And I'm sure you heard all about the Triwizard Tournament, right?"

"Of course," Lavender nodded.

"You probably also heard about how Ron and Harry had a terrible row around that time right?" Parvati asked.

"I think they'd mentioned something about it, yes." Lavender wondered what this had to do with Parvati.

"I bet you don't know the real reason they had that fight," Parvati said. She leaned in closer. "Me."

"Is that so?" Lavender raised her eyebrows.

Parvati nodded. "Ron had this terrible crush on me, you know? And I always thought he was cute, but when I found out Harry Potter fancied me too...well; I wouldn't dare turn him down. I mean he is Harry Potter."

"Harry fancied you eh?" Lavender asked as they reached the bistro.

"I was his first love," Parvati said smugly. "He took me to the Yule Ball."

"He's always said it was because he waited too long to find a date and Cho was already going with someone else," Lavender said as innocently as possible.

The smile on Parvati's face faltered slightly. "Well, I'm sure that's what he wants everyone to think."

Lavender decided to play devil's advocate. "I'm sure you're right," she said. "He probably just wanted to save face you know?"

"Exactly," Parvati said nodding. "And so he and Ron fought about me. I finally had to sit them both down and tell them that they'd been through far too much together to let a girl come between them."

"And Ron went with your sister to the ball right?" Lavender continued.

"Because he couldn't go with me," Parvati said.

"But you two wound up dating later on," Lavender nodded.

"Yes," Parvati said. "Shall we get a table?"

"Lovely idea," the blonde said.

Parvati led the way to a corner table and they were immediately waited on by a handsome waiter who Parvati shamelessly flirted with.

"I'll have the chicken croissant," Lavender said when she finally got to order.

"How about you surprise me," Parvati said touching the waiter on the arm. "Whatever you think I'd like..."

"Sure," the waiter grinned at her.

"Great," Parvati said winking at him. Once she and Lavender were alone again, she leaned back in the chair. "He's fabulous, don't you think?"

"Not bad," Lavender said. "But I'm married to a very handsome man myself."

"The Big Shot Hollywood Director," Parvati said smiling at her.

"I'm very proud of him," Lavender took a sip of ice water.

"I always think of him as the one who got away," Parvati said, a far away expression on her face.

Lavender had to restrain herself from slapping the woman at that moment.

"He was the strong, silent type," Parvati said dreamily.

"He's not so silent," Lavender said before she could stop herself.

"I encouraged him to come out of his shell," Parvati said. "And boy did he ever...."

"So Maddie told me you were on a sabbatical for the past few years," Lavender said, abruptly changing the subject.

"Yes," Parvati said after taking a sip of water. "I needed a break and Minister Draven was kind enough to let me take an extended one."

"What did you do?" Lavender asked interestedly.

"Oh you know," Parvati said evasively. "A little of this, a little of that..."

"I've often thought of taking a sabbatical myself," Lavender said. "Of course, not so much anymore... but it must have been fascinating."

"It was," Parvati said. "I met so many fascinating people and saw some of the most interesting and exotic places."

"Like Egypt?" Lavender asked as if entranced. "Or maybe Polynesia... how about Malaysia?"

Parvati shook her head. "Nothing that exotic."

"Oh tell me where," Lavender cajoled.

"I spent a few months in Paris," Parvati finally relented. "And some time in Milan, too. And then I actually was over in the States for quite awhile before settling in Amsterdam."

"Amsterdam," Lavender nodded. "Get any diamonds?"

"Definitely," Parvati said nodding. "If you come by my flat, I'll show some of them to you."

"They are a girl's best friend," Lavender laughed. "And Milan is so good for leather goods. I shop there a lot- in fact there's a little shop on a corner right in the middle of the town that I go to quite often."

Parvati nodded as if she knew exactly what Lavender was talking about.

"I'm actually quite jealous," Lavender said. "Sounds as if you had a phenomenal time."

"I did," Parvati said. "Someday, I think I might write about my adventures."

"What a great idea," Lavender gushed. "Tell me some of the things you did!"

"I don't really know where to begin," Parvati said waving her hand.

"Oh come now," Lavender said, her eyes twinkling. Obviously this woman was uncomfortable talking about her so called adventures. "Just throw something out there. I'm so curious about this!"

"Okay," Parvati said. "But I don't want to bore you..."

Nearly a half hour later, Parvati was still going on and on about some bloke named Roberto who had shown her around Milan and professed his undying love for her.

Lavender had to poke her fingernail into her wrist to stay awake as she finished her sandwich. "He sure sounds like a dream," she choked out, gulping down some water.

"He was," Parvati said. "But we really weren't meant to last."

"That's a shame," Lavender said in mock sympathy.

"I had a number of casual relationships over the next couple of years," Parvati said. "But the one that really threw me for a loop was Martin. I met him in the States and I actually followed him to Amsterdam."

"Did you now," Lavender asked, interested again.

"He had all these wonderful ideas," Parvati explained. "He wanted to open up clubs all over Europe."

"Oooh," Lavender said, her eyes gleaming with false interest.

"Yeah," Parvati said a wistful tone to her voice. "There wasn't anything I wouldn't do for him..."

"What happened between you two?" Lavender asked, leaning forward. She had a feeling this could be quite juicy.

For a moment, it looked as if Parvati was about to tell her exactly what had happened.

"I really don't wish to talk about it," she said instead. "It's quite painful."

"I'm sorry to hear that," Lavender said with mock sympathy.

"Let's just say I did things for him that I didn't think I'd ever do for anyone," Parvati said sounding quite emotional.

Lavender nodded, wishing she could probe into Parvati's head at that moment.

"I just hope that I never see Martin Reid ever, ever again," Parvati said dramatically.

Lavender filed that name in her head to do research on as soon as she got home. "I'm sorry that he was so terrible," she patted the other woman's hand.

"Thank you, Lavender," Parvati said smiling at her. "You're a good friend."

"Oh I try," Lavender said, recoiling inwardly.

"And it's so nice to know you're not holding my previous relationship with Seamus against me," Parvati said. "Still, makes you wonder what would have happened, if I'd held on to him."

Lavender had to bite down hard on her lower lip and clench her hands together under the table to keep from hitting the other woman.

"I'd probably have given him children," Parvati said softly. "But I understand since you married him so late..."

"We can still have children," Lavender bristled a little. "We've just chosen not to. We're very busy."

"No offence," Parvati said leaning in. "But you are quite old now."

"You're the same age as we are," Lavender pointed out.

"Yes and you don't see me having any children," Parvati said. "Which reminds me, why did Harry and Hermione have such a gap in between their children? That's quite a few years, don't you think?"

"They have their reasons," Lavender said. She wasn't about to disclose Hermione's conception troubles to this gossip.

"And with a teenage daughter no less," Parvati said laughing. "But to each his own, I always say."

"Saffron is a bright and intelligent girl," Lavender said. "My infant line is named after her."

"You seem quite proud," Parvati observed.

"I am," Lavender nodded. "It's my most successful line."

"How nice," Parvati said seeming bored.

Lavender had to resist the urge to roll her eyes.

"I really should be getting back to work," Parvati said. "They can't really function without me."

Lavender nodded slowly, thinking that it was a perfect time to get on her research.

"We must do this again," Parvati said.

"Definitely," Lavender lied.

"Give Seamus my love," Parvati said standing up.

"Oh I sure will," Lavender's fingernails were digging into her palm. "I'm sure he'll be glad to hear that." she added through clenched teeth.

"Ta ta," Parvati said without even bothering to offer to pay for her half of the tab.

"Bitch," Lavender swore once she'd left. "You are so going down."

*** *** ***

Jon was beyond knackered. He'd had a flying lesson that lasted way too long and he'd found it extremely hard not to lose his patience. To top things off, he hadn't even seen Allie or the girls since the night before. This second job was bringing in more money, but at a great cost.

Thankfully, the pub was pretty much dead tonight save for a few people in the back and a couple of extremely obnoxious girls who kept singing songs at the top of their lungs.

"Blue Eyes," Victoria said coming out of the back with a tray of glasses. "You want to give me a hand with these?"

"Sure," Jon forced a smile onto his face. "No problem Victoria."

"Thank you," she said handing the tray over to him. She cringed as she heard the two women singing yet another song horribly off-key. "I feel a large headache coming on..."

"I've already got one," he shook his head. "Think they know how bad they are?"

"I think they might be too pissed to care," Victoria mused. "I think I'm just going to sit here and go over the receipts since things are slow right now. I would have done it earlier but my little girl rang and wanted some help with her homework."

"I understand how that is," Jon said, smiling genuinely this time. "My two are the same way."

Victoria pointed to the picture behind the bar of an eight-year old blonde girl. "That's my Miranda. She's quite the handful, I can tell you that. "

"She looks just like you," Jon grinned. He pulled out his Muggle wallet. "This is Caroline, she's my oldest- she just turned six in November. And this is Emma, my baby- she's two."

"How cute are they?" Victoria asked peering at the pictures. "And I assume the woman holding the baby is your wife?"

"That's Allie," Jon replied.

"You should bring her by sometime," Victoria said. "I'd love to meet her."

"Yeah, maybe I will," Jon coughed. "I'd better go see if the singing duo wants another. Although it might be a better idea to cut them off."

"Good luck," Victoria said returning her attention to her paperwork.

"There's nothing wrong with me wanting yoooooooooooooo," one of the women sang as Jon approached them. "And giving yourself to me can never beeeeeeeee wrong......."

"Can I get you ladies another?" he asked, picking up their empty glasses.

The women shared an amused look and started giggling.

"Another you?" one of them asked flirtatiously.

"Another drink," Jon said with a tight smile.

"I don't want another drink," the dark-haired one said pouting at him. "I want to dance!"

"We don't have a dance floor," Jon said. "How about a glass of water?"

"You don't need a dance floor," the woman said throwing her arms around him. Jon nearly dropped the glasses as she did so. "Isn't this nice?" she purred.

"Uh..." Jon tried to hold onto the glasses and push her away at the same time.

"Esme," the woman's friend said pulling at her arm. "Come on. What if Douglas came in here and saw you dancing with this bloke?"

"He won't be here for another hour," Esme replied, stumbling.

"I think you should listen to your friend, Esme," Jon said trying to get away. "Besides, I'm married."

"So am I," she giggled drunkenly.

"Lucky bloke," Jon muttered sarcastically under his breath. "I'll just be at the bar, if you ladies need anything else."

"I'll tell you what I need," Esme leaned in and tried to kiss him, leaving lipstick marks all over his shirt collar.

"Okay," Esme's friend said pulling her away. "Come on. Let's get you to the loo and sober you up."

"I'm sober," Esme laughed riotously, following her friend away.

"Tried to lay one on you, did she?" Victoria asked as Jon stalked back behind the bar.

"What a letch," he nearly threw the glasses in the sink.

"Could have been worse," Victoria said. "I remember some pissed arse tried to grab my bum once."

"Man," Jon caught sight of himself in the mirror. "I've got lipstick all over me."

"There's some club soda down there," Victoria pointed. "Should take care of those stains."

"Thanks," Jon said, wishing he could use magic, which would take care of it in a jiffy.

Nearly an hour and a half later, Jon finished helping Victoria close up and made his way down the alley so he could Apparate home.

He had just opened the front door when his two girls barrelled towards him down the hallway. "Daddy!" Caroline said happily. "You're finally home!"

Jon smiled as he lifted her into his arms. "Hey Angel Girl! I missed you, too."

Emma held her arms up indicating that she too wanted to be picked up. "Dada!"

Allison laughed. "They wanted to wait up for you."

"I got home as soon as I could," Jon kissed both his daughters on the cheek. "I missed my girls today."

"Even me?" Allison asked coming over to give him a proper hello.

"Always you," Jon smiled tiredly at her.

"I saved you a plate," Allison said giving him a kiss. "All your favourites."

"Mummy put a warming charm on it," Caroline said.

"I'm starving," Jon said. "My little Emma didn't sneak any bites did she?"

Emma giggled and shook her head.

"I told her I'd make her drink some more of that stuff from Uncle Josh's party if she did," Caroline said.

"Caroline!" Allison said, laughing.

"It worked," Caroline said grinning at her mother.

"Em no like drink," Emma replied, her head on Jon's shoulder.

"You don't ever have to drink that awful stuff again," Jon said patting her back. "Do you want to sit with me while I eat?"

"Sit with Dada," Emma bubbled happily.

"I have something special planned for dessert," Allison whispered to Jon. "If you're not too knackered...."

"What might that involve?" Jon asked.

"You'll find out," Allison replied with a mischievous grin.

"You don't have any lessons tomorrow right, Daddy?" Caroline asked as they sat down at the table. "Since it's Saturday."

"I do baby, I'm sorry." Jon said setting Emma on the seat next to him.

"But Mummy was going to take me and Emma to the park and she said you would be going too," Caroline protested.

"If we go early enough I can go sweetheart," Jon replied.

"Here you go," Allison said bringing him the plate of food. "What do you want to drink, Jon? Juice? Soda?"

"Have we got any butterbeer?" Jon had been craving one all day.

Allison smiled. "We do. I took the girls with me to the shops this afternoon. Emma loves being pushed in the trolley."

"Did you now?" Jon grinned at his daughters. "Get anything fun?"

Caroline nodded. "We bought loads of stuff, Daddy. And Mummy bought something for you...."

"Dessert!" Emma laughed.

"You certainly have that word down," Jon said mussing her hair.

"It's a nightgown," Caroline whispered. "But I don't know how it's supposed to be for you though."

"I see," Jon snorted, trying to cover his laughter.

"You hear everything Angel," Allison said sitting down beside Caroline. "She overheard me tell Frankie that."

"Aunt Frankie made Mummy buy it," Caroline said. "She said that she had to buy it and that it would knock your socks off."

"I see," Jon said with a grin. "Was your uncle Will there too?"

"No," Caroline said frowning. "He had to work."

"I heard a little bird say that he might be coming to the park tomorrow though to play with a few certain princesses," Allison said with a smile. "And he might be bringing another princess with him named Mia..."

"Really?" Caroline asked beaming at her mother. "Really? Really? Really?"

"Really," Allison said with a laugh. "He's very excited about it according to your aunt. Will loves spending time with you Caroline."

"I love spending time with him too," Caroline said softly.

Emma tapped Jon on the arm. "Bite?"

"Didn't you already eat?" Jon teased her.

"Want more," Emma said smiling at him.

Jon laughed. "All right," he said. "Open up."

Emma opened her mouth wide.

"She certainly has your appetite," Allison laughed.

"She's a Weasley," Jon said proudly giving Emma a bite of his stew. "Good, Em?"

"Good," Emma nodded. "More?"

"More?" Jon asked laughing. He pulled Emma into his lap. "How about you dig in baby girl?"

"Thank Daddy!" Emma said happily, grasping his spoon.

Jon laughed and shared a look with Allison.

"What little I was able to eat was really great, Al," Jon said smiling at her. "You are a fantastic cook."

"Thank you," Allison wryly. "I have more if you want it after they go to bed."

"You really are the best," Jon said gazing at her.

"Only for you," she smiled back at him. "I really missed you today."

"I missed you too," Jon said softly. "I know I've been really busy lately, but it's going to be worth it, Al. You and the girls deserve the best."

"You're the best Daddy," Caroline nodded.

"Thank you Caroline," Jon said giving her a kiss. "I needed to hear that."

"Good, Mama." Emma said as she finished her father's dinner.

"Thank you, Em," Allison said grinning at her. "I'm glad you liked it the second time around."

"Come on you two," Jon said, scooping them up. "Time for bed."

Allison gave Emma and Caroline a kiss. "I’ll clean up in here and then I'll meet you in the bedroom, Jon."

"Mummy's going to give Daddy dessert," Caroline said innocently to her sister.

Jon and Allison both laughed.

"Can Em sleep in my room tonight?" Caroline asked.

"Peas?" Emma asked. "Em sleep with Sissy."

Jon tickled her side. "Well since you asked so nicely, you can."

"Yay!" Caroline said. "We get to have a sleepover Em!"

"Yay!" Emma echoed.

"Daddy gets to have one too," Jon said winking at Allison.

Caroline giggled as she followed her father and sister out of the kitchen.

Allison made quick work of cleaning up the kitchen with just a few flicks of her wand. She was positively giddy as she sprinted toward the bedroom to change into the negligee she'd bought at Frankie's urging this afternoon.

It didn't take Jon long to get the girls tucked into Caroline's bed. After a few giggles, they promised to go to sleep so they'd be rested enough for the park that next day.

Allison leaned back on the pillows as she heard Jon's footsteps in the hall. When he opened the door, she smiled seductively at him. "Hello, Mr. Weasley."

"Mrs. Weasley," he grinned back. "You look quite fetching..."

She crooked her little finger at him beckoning him to come closer. "I have it on good authority that you like the colour red."

"Especially on you," his blue eyes darkened lustily.

"Come here," she whispered.

Jon did as he was told, locking the bedroom door behind him.

As Jon sat down on the edge of the bed, Allison wrapped her arms around his neck. "I've been wanting to do this all...Jon?"

"Hmm?" he asked.

"What's this on your collar?" she asked.

"Shit," he swore under his breath. "Uh... my client's wife was there tonight, and she got... lipstick on my collar."

Allison stared at the back of his head. "How did your client's wife get lipstick on your collar?"

"She sort of um... kissed my cheek when we were finished with the lesson." Jon said, hastily pulling his shirt off. "And I was still on my broom, and I moved at the last minute..." he realised how lame that sounded but he hoped his wife would believe him.

"Jon," Allison said not sure what to believe. "You're not..."

Her voice trailed off, unable to even voice her question.

He turned to face her. "Not what?" Jon asked his eyes directly on hers.

"Having..." Allison started to say. "...an affair?"

Jon stared at her. "Allie..." he began. "How could you even think that?"

"You've been away so much lately," Allison said looking away from him. "And now this. I don't want to believe it, Jon. If you tell me that you're not, I'll believe you. You've never lied to me before."

"I would never, ever have an affair," Jon replied. "Allison, I love you. You're the only girl I've ever loved."

She knew him better than anyone else in this world. And as she looked at him now, she could see that same teenaged boy who told her once that he wanted her to be the only girl he ever kissed.

"I love you too, Jon."

He hugged her tightly. "You're my Allie," he said, pressing his lips to her shoulder.

"Always," Allison said softly. "Always..."

"Always my Allie," he answered for her, kissing her.

Any doubts she may have had melted away as he kissed her tenderly.

He wanted to ravish her- to show her just how much he loved her. "Your dessert is better than your dinner," Jon said, his lips brushing over her neck.

Allison giggled as she ran her hands through his hair. "You always did have a sweet tooth."

"Especially for brunettes wearing red." he commented.

"So have I knocked your socks off?" Allison asked.

"You always have," Jon brushed her long hair back.

"Show me," she said looking into his eyes.

Jon kissed her again, crushing her body to his; letting his hands roam under the lingerie.

Allison moaned in pleasure as his hand cupped her breast.

"Al," he breathed, moving his lips over her hot skin.

"Now Jon," Allison said breathlessly. "Please?"

He pushed himself inside her, trapping her hands above her head. "Al..." he groaned.

Allison looked up at him as he moved above her. The man she was looking at now couldn't possibly have an affair. He was hers and she was his and the way he was making her feel seemed to cement that fact.

They kept somewhat quiet, kissing each other in a frenzy to muffle their cries.

He collapsed against her, his cheek against her shoulder. Allison stroked his hair.

"There is no one else for me, ever." he said as she curled herself into him.

"I know," she said kissing his chest. "I feel the same way."

"I'll see if my client won't mind me coming by a little later tomorrow," Jon said, knowing he needed to spend time with his family. "I want to be at the park with you three."

"I'd love that," Allison said softly. "And I know the girls would love it. We've missed you so much, Jon."

"I've missed you lot too." Jon gave her another kiss. "And now I'm just completely knackered."

"Me too," Allison said sleepily.

Jon pulled the sheets up over them. "Love you Al," he kissed the side of her forehead.

"Love you too," she whispered.

91. Ch 91

Thanks again for all the reviews everyone- they’re all appreciated no matter how ‘big’ or ‘small’ they are! In this chapter you get more of H/Hr’s second honeymoon and the return of the Hogwarts crew. Enjoy!

Harry and Hermione had been on holiday for about four days now, and both of them were currently lying on the beach, relaxed as could be.

"Harry," Hermione said, her eyes closed. "This is amazing. I haven't felt this good in ages."

"That's why we're here," he said smiling sideways at her.

"I know," she smiled back. "I'm glad we managed it."

"Me too," Harry said leaning to give her a kiss.

"Mmm..." she kissed him back. "Love you."

"Love you," Harry said. "How about I go and grab us something to drink?"

"Sounds good," Hermione smiled, adjusting her bikini strap. "Surprise me will you?"

Harry winked at her and pulled his sunglasses back on before heading back to the hotel bar to get them a drink.

Hermione watched him go as she leaned back, tilting her head so her face was up towards the sun. She sighed audibly, feeling completely satisfied and happy at that moment.

"Excuse me?" someone asked from behind her.

At first Hermione didn't realise anyone was speaking to her.

"Excuse me?" a very handsome man with dark brown hair asked coming into view. "I'm sorry to bother you."

"Yes?" Hermione raised her sunglasses.

"I was wondering if you knew what time it was?" he asked.

"I'm afraid I don't have my watch." Hermione said. "I'm sorry."

"That's okay," he said warmly. "You're British, aren't you?"

"Yes," Hermione answered. "London."

"Wow," he said nodding. "I'm from Seattle actually."

"I hear that's a lovely city," Hermione said politely.

"I imagine it's like London," he said with a laugh. "Cold, rainy..."

"London isn't that bad," Hermione said. "It really only rains a lot in the fall and winter."

"Ahh, well in Seattle it rains pretty much any time of the year," the man said smiling at her. "I'm Patrick, by the way."

"Hermione," she said, shaking his hand. "Lovely to meet you."

"Hermione," he said nodding. "Quite a unique name. Your parents must have been Shakespeare fans."

"They were, yes." Hermione nodded.

"The Winter's Tale is one of his best," Patrick said. "Have you ever seen it performed?"

"When I was younger," Hermione replied.

"One of my favourites," Patrick said sitting down on Harry's towel. "What brings you here to the Swan Islands?"

"I'm on a second honeymoon with my husband," Hermione said.

"Why is it that all the good ones are always taken?" Patrick asked with a frown.

Hermione let out a weak laugh in reply.

"Okay, Hermione," Harry said not noticing she had company. "I hope you like my....who are you?"

"Hi," Patrick said warmly. "Patrick Thorne."

"Harry Potter," he said.

"Nice to meet you," Patrick said then turned his attention back to Hermione. "I've just arrived actually. Can you recommend a nice place to eat around here?"

"The restaurant here at the hotel is nice," Hermione replied, taking her drink from Harry.

"I'll have to try it out," Patrick said nodding. "Perhaps we could share a meal and get to know each other better."

"I uh..." Hermione looked to Harry for help.

"She's actually going to be eating with me," Harry said glaring at the man. "Her husband."

"Easy," Patrick said throwing up his arms in mock surrender. "No need to blow a gasket. I'm just trying to be friendly."

"I appreciate the offer but no thank you," Hermione said politely.

Patrick nodded and leaned back on his elbows relaxing on the towel.

"Excuse me?" Harry asked.

Patrick raised his eyebrows. "Something wrong?"

"Oh, I don't know," Harry said sarcastically. "Maybe you're on my towel...sitting beside my wife."

"Easy man..." Patrick grinned, "I didn't realise you Brits were so easily offended."

"I’m not offended," Harry said. "I'm ang--"

"So what is it that you do in London, Hermione?" Patrick asked.

"I work in politics," Hermione said, swinging her legs over the side of the chair as she saw Harry tense.

"And what about you Hank?" Patrick asked. "You in politics, too?"

"Harry," he said through clenched teeth. "And I'm in law enforcement."

"Awesome," Patrick said. "But you know, to be honest, you're not very intimidating. You're kind of slight. You must be one of the desk jockeys, right?"

Harry's green eyes were so bright with anger that Hermione thought could see them behind his sunglasses. "You know, I think I've had enough sun for today," she said, gathering her bag and holding her drink in her hand. "I don't want to get burned."

"You might want to head inside too Patrick," Harry said glaring at the man. "We wouldn't want you to get burned either."

"Excuse me?" Patrick's easygoing smile disappeared.

"It was lovely to meet you," Hermione said hastily to Patrick. "But Harry and I really should---"

"Go," Harry said coldly.

"Maybe I'll run into you later, Hermione," Patrick said getting to his feet. "Take care, Hank."

"WE won't be seeing you," Harry yanked his towel off the chair.

"Come on Harry," Hermione said tugging at his arm. "Let's just go..."

Patrick smirked. "Yeah, just go, Hank..."

"It's HARRY!" he roared as a sudden wind blew up the sand, nearly blinding the other man.

Patrick stumbled backward, shaken by what he'd seen. Without looking back, he ran off toward the hotel.

"Harry," Hermione said. "What on earth did you do that for?"

"What a fucking wanker," Harry said furiously. "And I didn't do that on purpose."

Hermione folded her arms. "You scared him half to death, Harry. You know we're supposed to be keeping a low profile. None of these people should or need to know who and what we really are."

"How would he know what it was," Harry asked, walking briskly back towards their ground level room.

"Come on," Hermione said hurrying after him. "We were having a wonderful time. Don't let some obnoxious guy spoil it for us."

Harry relaxed as she took his hand. "I just hate when people don't seem to know when to take off."

"And when strange men try to pick up your wife?" she asked teasingly.

"That too," Harry said.

"Now you know a little bit how I feel when those women come up to you," she said.

"Yeah I guess," he muttered, running his free hand through his hair.

"I liked my drink," she said holding up the glass. "What is it?"

"It's called a BBC," Harry answered. "Some Muggle drink made with coconut, bananas and something called Baileys."

"I like it," she said taking another sip. "Good choice."

"I figured you'd like it." Harry smiled at her.

"You always know what I'd like," she said softly.

"I'd like to think I would by now," Harry teased. "After so many years together."

"Many, many, many years," Hermione said dramatically.

"Yet we're still as active as we were when we first met." Harry replied.

"And you're less moody," Hermione pointed out. "Most of the time."

Harry nudged her side. "I beg your pardon?"

"I said most of the time," Hermione clarified.

Harry pulled on her hand as they reached their room and kissed her thoroughly.

"I'm going to spill my drink," she said laughing.

"I give you the best kiss you've had all day and you're worried about your drink?" he gave her his best injured look.

Hermione closed the door behind them and set the drink down on the table. "I'm sorry. I wasn't thinking."

"Damn straight," Harry tossed the towel down on a chair.

"And just for the record," Hermione said looping her arms around his neck. "I think you have an amazing body."

"I think yours is amazing too," Harry said, dragging his lips over her shoulder.

"You do?" Hermione asked. "I couldn't tell..."

Harry ran his hands down, caressing every inch of her that he could reach.

"Mmmm," Hermione murmured.

"Shall we take this to the bed?" he asked huskily.

"Yes please," Hermione replied.

"As you wish," he kissed under her ear as he scooped her up.

*** *** ***

R.J., Andrew and Jason were in the Great Hall after lunch on the premise of studying for their Potions test that afternoon, but they hadn't really mentioned Potions save for a few rude comments about Snape.

"That match between the Cannons and the Tornados was classic," Jason was saying to Andrew. "Paul Davies is brilliant!"

"Paul Davies is a jerk," R.J. said flatly.

Jason stared at him as if he'd just sprouted a second head. "You're kidding right? He's brilliant. The Cannons wouldn't be where they are right now if it wasn't for him."

"He's an asshole," R.J. said. "Trust me, I know."

"Your sister used to date him right?" Jason asked.

"Yeah," R.J. replied. "And he's an ass."

"Okay, he's still brilliant though," Jason said shaking his head.

R.J. rolled his eyes at Andrew, who grinned and looked down at his potions text.

"Hi guys," Monica Battersby said coming over to their table. "Hi, Jas."

"Hey," Jason smiled at her.

"Potions, eh?" she asked sitting down beside him. "We had that earlier today. Make sure you know the ingredients for Murtlap Essence. He had loads of questions about that one."

"Hey thanks," Jason grinned at her. "That's a big help."

"Yeah," Andrew grinned at her. "Snape won't know what hit him if we know the right answer. This is great!"

Monica smiled. "No problem."

She looked at R.J. who seemed a little wary of her. "I heard about what happened with you and Chris over the holiday."

"I'm sure she couldn't keep her mouth shut," R.J. rolled his eyes again.

Monica nodded. "She definitely had quite a bit to say about it all. I kept trying to tell her she was playing with fire, but you know Chris, she never listens."

R.J. raised an eyebrow. "You've got that right."

"I certainly wouldn't mess with Saffron Potter," Monica said looking at Andrew.

Andrew grinned. "I'm on her good side."

R.J. laughed at that. "You're smart Monica." he said, finally smiling at her. "Smarter than your friend."

"She's my best friend and I love her, but she's gone a little overboard lately," Monica said. "I've tried to tell her to leave well enough alone."

"Too bad she doesn't listen," Andrew agreed.

"She's still with Peter and I don't even know why," Monica said. "They have nothing in common."

"Wait so she is actually going out with him?" R.J. asked in disbelief. "He fed Saf all this crap about it not being real when we were on the train coming back here after hols."

"They were snogging in our common room last night," Monica said. "Looked to me like they were still on."

Jason shook his head. "So what are you up to?" he asked, pulling her down on the seat next to him and kissing her cheek.

"I have Herbology in about an hour and I was going to catch up on my reading," she said grinning at him.

"You should sit with us," Andrew invited, giving a sly smile to Jason.

"You guys wouldn't mind?" Monica asked.

"Nah," R.J. also smiled at her. "I think it'd make little Jas here very happy."

"Sounds good to me," Jason said smiling at her.

"Okay," Monica said. "I'll stay then."

"We should probably really study now since we know what's going to be on the exam," Andrew said, looking back at his potions text.

"Yeah," R.J. agreed. "I really need to do well on this one."

"Mon, what are you doing over here?" Christina asked tapping her friend on the shoulder.

"I'm sitting with Jason and his friends," Monica told her.

"Oh yes," Christina said bitterly. "Saffron Potter's new lapdog and Junior."

"Don't call me Junior," R.J. said coolly.

"I bet if I was little Alexandra you wouldn't mind," Christina scoffed.

"Her name is Alexa," R.J. said through clenched teeth. "And don't you worry about her."

"Trust me, I don't," Christina said glaring at him. "Mon, come and sit with me. I really need to see your notes."

"Here," Monica handed her some parchment. "I want to sit with Jason so just give these back to me in Herbology."

"You're supposed to be my best friend," Christina hissed snatching the parchment from her.

"I am Chris," Monica replied. "You know that."

"Then act like it every once in awhile," Christina shot back.

R.J. stood up. "Chris, how about you and I have a quick word?"

Christina smiled sweetly. "Of course Junior. But I'm afraid you can't have me back. I have a new boyfriend now."

R.J. rolled his eyes. "I'll try to carry on. Come on, Chris..."

He pulled her out of the Great Hall just outside the doors. "What is your problem?" he demanded.

"I don't have a problem," she said defensively.

"Why are you being so nasty all the time?" he asked. "Shite- it's been over a year since we broke up and you're still trying to get between me and Alexa. And now you're yelling at your friend because she wants to sit with her own boyfriend."

"I wasn't yelling," Christina said folding her arms across her chest.

"You know what I mean," R.J. glared at her,

"You and I were doing fine," Christina finally said. "We were great and then we come back to school and you started hanging out with Saffron Potter and the next thing I know, you break things off with me. After what you and I did, how do you think that made me feel?"

"I was friends with Saf long before you and I dated," he told her. "And we were having problems by the time we got back."

"Funny how those problems cropped up right after we shagged," Christina said quietly. "You certainly didn't have any problems with me when we did that, did you?"

"Don't act like that," R.J. said. "You were the one who instigated it!"

"Yes, but you didn't turn me down, did you?" Christina asked, tears forming in her eyes.

"Did I really hurt you that bad?" R.J. asked, feeling a bit remorseful.

Christina nodded. "I always thought my first time would be special and it really was, but then afterwards..."

"Look I'm sorry," R.J. apologised. "I really didn't mean to hurt your feelings, but you haven't made things easy either."

"I know," Christina said sobbing. "It just hurt."

R.J. patted her back, hoping this wasn't another trick of hers. "I am sorry Chris."

"Did you ever love me?" Christina asked in a small voice.

R.J. wasn't sure how to answer that.

"You didn't," Christina said quietly.

"Not like that," he said. "Not how I love Lexie... and I'm sorry."

Christina sobbed even harder.

"Chris come on," R.J. said as a few fellow students walked by and gave him a strange look. "Stop crying okay?" he patted her shoulder awkwardly.

Christina wiped her eyes and looked up at him. "You only fancied me because of how I looked, didn't you?"

R.J. sighed. "Part of it, sure. But I thought you were funny, and you liked me too."

"I was in love with you," Christina corrected in a sad voice. "And you used me."

"I did not use you Chris," R.J. replied.

"Don't you understand how I would see it that way?" she asked him.

"I guess," R.J. said. "But it was a year ago- over a year ago now. And we've both moved on."

Christina nodded. "I suppose."

"Well then what's the big deal?" R.J. asked.

"It's hard to see you treating that girl the way you used to treat me," she said honestly. "And I wanted to hurt you just like you hurt me, R.J.."

"Obviously," he said. "But you're hurting her and your friends more."

"I'm sorry," Christina said softly.

"Me too," R.J. chanced a smile at her. "Think we can let it all go?"

"I'd like that," Christina said wiping at her eyes again.

"Saf's not going to know what hit her," R.J. teased.

"She hates me," Christina said with a slight laugh.

"She might not after awhile," R.J. offered. "Come on, you can sit with us in there."

"Really?" Christina asked. "You'd want that?"

"I can let bygones be bygones if you can," R.J. said honestly.

"I'd like that," Christina said smiling at him. "Thanks, R.J.."

He followed her back into the Great Hall, wondering if that had really just happened. "I have exactly forty five minutes to study now," he announced. "Murtlap Essence, here I come."

Julie dismissed her class early so Saffron and Alexa made their way toward the Great Hall hoping to grab a quick bite to eat.

"I'm not just saying this," Alexa said to Saffron. "But Julie really is the best professor we have."

"I'm completely biased so I agree," Saffron giggled.

Alexa laughed. "Even if she weren't your sister, I'd feel the same way. Even some of the Slytherins like her, too. Though, they'd never admit it."

"I think they'd rather jump off the Astronomy Tower," Saffron agreed. "That might be an improvement though..."

"Saf," Alexa said nudging her. "You are terrible!"

"She has a point though," Mimi chimed in from behind them. "It would be an improvement."

"Thank you, thank you." Saffron bowed. "I do know what I'm talking about half the time these days."

"Because you're too busy with Andrew Kirke the other half," Beth teased her.

"Can you blame her?" Mimi asked. "He is pretty dreamy."

"That he is," Saffron replied in satisfaction.

"Does anyone know what we're having for lunch today?" Beth asked. "I'm famished. I overslept so I didn't get to eat breakfast."

"I don't know but I can smell it," Alexa replied. "And I'm ravenous."

Beth was the first one in the Great Hall and she stopped when she saw who was sitting at the Gryffindor table. Saffron, Alexa and Mimi bumped into her.

"Beth!" Saffron said. "You can't just stop walking like that!"

"Um, sorry," Beth said turning around. "But look who's sitting at the table..."

"What the hell..." Saffron blinked. "Did hell freeze over?"

Alexa looked over and couldn't believe her eyes. R.J., Andrew, and Jason were sitting with Monica Battersby...and Christina Grant. Christina was saying something to R.J. that caused him to laugh.

Mimi pinched her arm. "Okay, we're not dreaming..."

Alexa bit her lower lip. "What do you think she's doing there?" she asked softly.

"I don't know," Saffron said. "But I say we just sit down away from them and act like we couldn't care less."

"I guess," Alexa replied, not sure if she wanted to sit away from R.J. while Christina was right across the table from him.

Saffron led the way and they walked past R.J., Andrew and the others.

"You always got that wrong!" Christina was saying to R.J.. "The first time I heard you do it, I nearly peed myself."

"Say what?" Saffron stopped in her tracks.

"Hi Saf," R.J. said nervously. "Hi, Lex."

"Don't you Hi Saf me," Saffron said glaring at him. "What is she doing here?"

"Saffy," Andrew got up. "Come sit by me all right?"

"Not if she's here," Saffron said motioning to Christina.

"Hello, Saffron," Christina said forcing herself to be polite. "Alexa."

"Are you possessed or something?" Saffron asked her hands on her hips. "When did you start being nice?"

"I'm sorry for the things I did to you and Alexa," Christina said trying to make an effort.

"She means it," R.J. said looking pleadingly at Saffron. "We talked, Saf."

Alexa looked at the older girl and thought she seemed sincere. "Okay," she said softly.

"I don't believe we've ever met officially," Monica said standing up. "I'm Monica, Christina's best friend."

"Nice to meet you," Alexa said shaking the girl's hand.

"Let me get this straight," Saffron said. "You and the ice queen here have a little talk and now everything's okay?"

"We're trying, okay Saf?" R.J. said, also standing up. "Come on... for me, just be nice?"

Saffron could only gape at him. After all Christina had done to him and to her and Alexa, he was okay with her sitting here as if everything was okay? It didn't make sense.

"You look very pretty today Alexa," Christina said to the younger girl as she sat down. "I've always thought you had lovely hair."

"Oh..." Alexa said, "Thank you Christina." she offered a small smile at the older girl.

"I cannot do this," Saffron said staring at R.J.. "Come on! You really expect me to believe she's for real? She's been incredibly rude and mean to me and Alexa and she's had it out for you since you dumped her. And now everything's okay and we're supposed to all be friends? I don't think so!"

"Saf come on, let's go take a walk." Andrew shut his potions text.

"No," Saffron said stubbornly. "This is the Gryffindor table and she's not a Gryffindor and she's certainly not my friend. If anyone should leave, she should!"

Christina's lips were drawn into a tight line. "Fine." she said coolly, getting up.

"No," R.J. said putting a hand out to stop her. "You don't have to go."

"No I don't want to offend the Queen of Gryffindor any more than I already have," Christina replied.

"I'll go with you," Monica said gathering her books. "I'll see you at dinner, Jas."

"I'll go too," Jason replied. "I'll walk you both to Herbology on my way to Potions."

"Bye R.J.," Christina said quietly. "Bye Alexa, Andrew."

"I can't believe you," R.J. said to Saffron once they'd gone. "She's sorry okay?"

"And that makes it okay?" Saffron asked finally sitting down beside Alexa. "Funny what a selective memory you have."

"Look I think I can tell when someone's genuinely sorry all right?" R.J. snapped. "She told me some things that I hadn't known before and it makes a lot of sense as to why she's acted the way she has."

"The only reason she acted like she has is because she's a first class bitch," Saffron said. "I guess you enjoy seeing her hurt Alexa's feelings or that she dated Peter just to get back at me."

R.J. shook his head. "I'm going to class," he said. "I'll see you later all right Lexie?"

"But---" Alexa sputtered. "Guys, don't be like this."

"He probably wants to go meet up with the Snit of Ravenclaw so they can share more stories," Saffron glared at him. "Honestly R.J., how daft can you be?"

R.J. glared back at her. "You think she's playing us? Come on, Saffy. I know Chris. If she was---"

"So now she's Chris?" Saffron interjected with a laugh. "Watch out, Alexa."

"Come on Saffy," Alexa said quietly. "Knock it off all right? I trust R.J.."

"I don't have time to deal with this now," R.J. said. "Come on, Andrew. We've got potions."

"Right," Andrew said, getting up. For once he didn't feel like giving his girlfriend a kiss goodbye as he hurried out of the Great Hall with R.J..

"You were a little harsh weren't you Saffy?" Mimi asked.

"She's a raging bitch," Saffron snapped. "She's been nothing but horrid to us from the moment we came to this school and now all of a sudden she's every Gryffindor's best friend?"

"I'd apt to agree with Saffy on this one," Beth commented. "Christina Grant always has an agenda."

"Thank you," Saffron said. "Finally someone sees it my way."

"R.J. said that he had spoken with her," Alexa said playing devil's advocate. "Maybe what she said cleared up a lot of things. She seemed sincere..."

"To give the devil her due, she's a great actress," Saffron sat down and pulled a plate of sandwiches towards her. "She could convince anyone of anything if she put her mind to it."

"I'd wonder if she perhaps had Veela blood in her with how she's able to get guys to do whatever she wants," Beth said.

"I guess only time will tell," Alexa sighed. "If she's faking being nice, she's bound to slip up sooner or later."

"And I'll be there to rub it in your stupid boyfriend's face when she does," Saffron said smugly.

"Don't Saffy," Alexa pleaded. "Don't get in another fight with him, please? I hate being in the middle with you two."

"Take my side then," Saffron said. "Then you won't be in the middle. Do you remember how she tried to befriend you at the beginning of the term only to let it 'slip' that she'd shagged R.J.? Come on, Alexa. You're a smart girl. Don't just do what R.J. wants you to do."

"I think I'm going to class early," Alexa scooped up her bag. "I'm really not that hungry."

"Lex---" Saffron said. "You're not cross with me, are you?"

"I don't know," Alexa said. "You just... you always want me on one side or the other Saffy. You don't get how hard it is for me when you and R.J. fight."

Saffron hadn't really thought about it like that before. "You're right. I'm sorry, Lex."

"Okay," Alexa smiled at her friend.

"I'll quit trying to make you choose sides," Saffron said. She grinned mischievously at her. "But I am usually right..."

"I'm not even going there," Alexa rolled her eyes.

"And she's modest too," Beth said as Alexa sat back down.

"And scary," Mimi chimed in.

"And a prefect," Saffron gave them murderous glances.

"And I think I'll shut up now," Mimi said grinning back at her.

"Meems you're a smart girl," Saffron laughed. "Smarter than people give you credit for."

"I think that was a compliment," Mimi said thoughtfully.

"It was," Saffron nodded.

"Take what you can get," Alexa teased. "You know she doesn't compliment very often."

"This is how it should be," Saffron said. "We don't get to do this nearly enough---just us girls."

"That's true," Beth nodded. "Minus the drama."

"Boys bring the drama," Mimi said. "Big time."

"Always," Saffron said. "Even the cute ones."

"Especially the cute ones," Alexa said. "Things were so much easier when we were 11 and didn't know better."

"Sometimes I still wish we were," Saffron giggled. "But then I kiss Andrew and I never want to stop."

"Not something you could do at 11," Alexa said laughing.

92. Chapter 92

AN: This chapter is a break from Hogwarts –sorry to those who want to find out what’s going on with the Christina situation- but you get H/Hr, Drew, Darla, Brian and Hans plus some Parvati driving everyone completely mad.

As always, PLEASE leave us a comment letting us know what you think- if you have questions post them on a Tuesday chapter because then we’ll answer them for Saturdays :)

Hermione rested her head on Harry's shoulder as they swayed together. A cool breeze nipped at her bare shoulders and she snuggled closer to him. "I don't want to go home," she murmured. "I want to stay here with you..."

"Let's do it then," Harry whispered giving her a kiss.

Hermione laughed. "That does sound tempting."

"You couldn't do it," Harry said. "You want to get back to w-o-r-k."

"I sort of do," Hermione closed her eyes. "I miss being busy... but being with you is like nothing else."

"We really needed this," Harry said softly.

"We definitely did," Hermione agreed. "You know Harry... I say we do this at least once a year. Just get away somewhere for a week, just the two of us and no one else."

"I'm all for that," Harry agreed. "Where would you want to go first?"

"Anywhere," Hermione said dreamily.

"Oh," Harry teased. "You want to go and stay with Ginny and Draco for a week?"

"As long as they've got an extra bedroom I don't care," Hermione said cheekily.

"I'm sure they'd let us stay with them for a week," Harry said. "We could bond."

"Let's arrange that right away," Hermione deadpanned. "I'm dying to see them again."

"You and Ginny could go shopping and do each other's hair," Harry said with a grin. "And old Draco and I could....drink lots and lots of alcohol."

"You'd have to, to have a decent conversation with him." Hermione rolled her eyes.

"Enough talk about the Terrible Twosome," Harry said spinning Hermione out and then pulling her back. "How does this honeymoon compare to the first, Mrs. Potter?"

"Dare I compare it?" Hermione laughed.

"I can take it," Harry said.

"The only difference to me is the years that have passed." Hermione said thoughtfully. "I mean, we have three children now, I'm Minister for Magic, you're a full fledged Auror... I mean we've accomplished our dreams Harry."

"We did," Harry said. "And so much more, Hermione."

"And I still love you just as much as I did our first honeymoon," Hermione said, kissing him again. "Actually... more and more each day."

"You said what I was about to say," Harry said with a laugh. "You always do that."

"I can read your mind," Hermione teased.

"Can you?" Harry asked raising an eyebrow. "Hmmm...Can you read it now?"

"You're thinking... you want to get me back in our hotel room very soon," Hermione laughed girlishly.

"Spot on," Harry said giving her a kiss. "Kind of nice living like Muggles, eh? No one knows who we are and I can do this if I want to...."

"Right," she closed her eyes and pressed herself against him.

"My sweet Hermione," he said against her skin.

"My sexy Harry," she said, kissing under his ear.

"My....oh for Merlin's sake!" Harry said tensing up.

"What?" she asked pulling away. "Is the media here?"

"No," Harry said. "Your admirer from the beach is at the bar....watching us."

"What?" Hermione turned to see Patrick looking straight at her and Harry. "Why don't you just ignore him?" she asked. "I'm not going to bother with him."

"I know," Harry said. "But you'd think he'd have taken the hint after that little sandstorm."

"Some guys just don't," Hermione ran her hands over his chest and shoulders. "Come on Harry. Don't let him spoil our last night here."

"Right," Harry said giving her a lingering kiss.

"Mmm..." she closed her eyes. "Just what I wanted.”

"How about we grab a bottle of champagne?" Harry asked giving her another kiss. "And then head back to the room."

"I like that idea," she smiled.

"Or," Harry said. "We could go down to the beach..."

"We could get champagne and then go down to the beach," Hermione suggested.

"Now that's a brilliant idea," Harry said taking her hand and leading her toward the bar.

She followed him, hoping that Patrick wouldn't do anything so foolish as to try and come talk to her again while Harry was around. He had certainly seemed like a nice enough bloke, but completely clueless.

"Hello Mr. Potter, Mrs. Potter," the bartender said warmly. "What can I get for you?"

"Your finest bottle of champagne and two glasses," Harry replied.

"Coming right up," he smiled at them. Hermione rested her head on Harry's shoulder and took a deep breath of the fresh sea air.

"Hello Hermione," Patrick said raising his glass at her. His expression toward Harry was a bit wary. "Hello, Harry."

"Hello," Harry said coldly.

"Hi Patrick," Hermione said with a weak smile. "Have... have you been having a nice time?" she squeezed her husband's hand.

"It's been okay," Patrick answered. "Could have been better."

"I'm sorry to hear you haven't had fun," Hermione said politely.

"It would have been nice to have someone to pass the time with," Patrick said glumly.

"Then why didn't you go out to meet anyone?" Harry stated coolly.

"Well, I was here on a business retreat," Patrick replied. "I didn't get the chance to get out much."

"Sorry to hear that," Harry said in an unsympathetic tone as the bartender returned with the champagne.

"I'll just charge that to your room, Mr. Potter," the bartender said handing Harry the bottle. Hermione took the glasses.

"Thank you," Harry said with a smile.

"I hope you enjoy the rest of your time here," Hermione said to Patrick.

"Thanks," he said wistfully.

"Ready to go?" Harry asked his wife.

"I am," she smiled at him.

Harry led the way down to the beach. "We should probably take our shoes off."

"Good idea," Hermione said, looking forward to burying her feet in the sand.

Harry set the champagne down while he slipped out of his shoes. ""This is such a great night."

"It is," she agreed, holding her sandals and glasses in one hand so she could link their fingers together.

"You're not cold are you?" he asked.

"I'm fine," she answered. "I'll be better once we sit down and you're holding me though."

"I forgot to nick us a towel or a blanket," Harry said frowning.

"I think we can manage," Hermione pulled on his hand. "Come on."

"Lead the way," Harry said grabbing the bottle.

They walked down the moonlit beach hand in hand, just content to enjoy each other's company in silence for the moment. "Here seems like a good spot to sit," she said once they were a slight distance away from the hotel. "Nice and private."

"Sold," Harry said. "I still wish I'd thought to bring a blanket."

"We can deal with a little sand," Hermione laughed, sitting down. "We'll just have to wait until we're back in the room to shag."

"Aye," Harry said sitting down beside her. "We don't want to get sand in certain places."

"That wouldn't be very good," she said, leaning in to kiss him.

Harry kissed her back pulling her closer.

His hands ran through her hair as she pressed her body to his, pushing him back on the sand.

"Hermione," he whispered as he trailed kisses down her neck.

"I'm going to miss this," she breathed.

"This?" he asked teasingly. "We do this all the time."

"I know that," she laughed. "But being off by ourselves all the time... it's wonderful Harry."

"I agree," he said softly. "But I think you had a great idea before. We should do things like this more often. Getting away, just the two of us."

"We'll make a habit of it," Hermione smiled at him.

"I dread going back to work," Harry groaned sitting up.

"I do too, sort of," Hermione said as he began to wrestle with the cork on the champagne.

"You can't wait to get back," Harry teased. "I know you too well. You like taking it easy, but you are ready to get back to it."

"I've been enjoying my husband entirely too much." Hermione nudged his side.

"I managed to get you to think about something other than the the w word," Harry said proudly. "I think that's something."

"Yes it is," Hermione closed her eyes and leaned back as Harry finally managed to pop the cork.

He poured them both a glass. "Should we make a toast then?"

"Sure," she agreed.

Harry thought for a moment before raising his glass. "To stepping away from it all and enjoying each other," he finally said.

"That's perfect," Hermione said, giving him a kiss before sipping her champagne.

"So, I think we managed to get a little something for everyone," Harry said. "I think Saffy will love that necklace you bought."

"I'm sure she will," Hermione nodded. "And the little knick knacks for Ethan and Maddie's place..."

"And those t-shirts for Katie and Ashley," Harry said. "And the bracelet for Julie...."

"I think we have everyone covered," Hermione said, finishing her glass and pouring herself another.

"Oh and don't forget the sweets we bought for Ron," Harry said laughing. "He'd be completely mortified if we'd forgotten him or his stomach."

"Right," Hermione laughed too. "He lives for sweets."

They both heard the faint sound of laughter and looked up to see a younger couple walking hand in hand a little further down the shore.

"Who does that remind you of?" Hermione asked with a smile.

"You and me," Harry said softly.

"I wonder if they're on their honeymoon," Hermione watched them walk.

"Looks like it," Harry commented. "They have that 'no one else in the world, but you' look to them."

"We still have that look," Hermione grinned at her husband.

"Even after all these years," Harry said pulling her closer.

"It'll always be like this for us," Hermione laid her head against his shoulder. "The way we love each other I mean."

"Always," Harry promised kissing the side of her head. "Always, Hermione."

"Come on," she said. "Let's take this back to our hotel room."

"Best way to spend our last night," he said standing up and offering her his hand.

"I agree," she said, holding the open bottle while Harry took the glasses in his free hand.

"Come on, Hermione Jane," Harry said smiling at her.

"After you Harry James," she grinned back.

*** *** ***

"Lav?" Seamus asked coming into the sitting room. "Come on, we have to finish packing. We're leaving in a couple of hours."

"I have something I need to take care of first," she said turning off her mobile phone. A huge grin spread across her face.

"What's going on in that little head of yours?" Seamus asked. "What are you up to?"

"Oh nothing," Lavender giggled, doing an impromptu dance across the room.

"Lav," Seamus asked folding his arms. "I know you. Something's up, isn't it?"

"Oh I don't know," Lavender replied suggestively. "Is something up that I should know about?" she glanced at his trousers mischievously.

"No changing the subject," Seamus said firmly. "Lav? Come on. We have to get a move on. If you are up to no good, you should get it over with before we go."

"I fully plan on it," Lavender gave her husband a kiss. "Shouldn't take me too long."

"Two hours, Lav," Seamus said before heading back upstairs. "Two hours."

"Oh honestly Seamus," she called after him. "Are we not a witch and wizard? We can come and go as we please."

"Two hours," he called back.

Lavender rolled her eyes but laughed again as she pulled her cloak on and headed towards the Ministry.

Parvati was in deep conversation with Maddie, who was trying very hard to keep her cool.

"You know, I was just suggesting to Smythe this morning about how we should rearrange the entire department," Parvati said. "Shake things up a bit."

"I think it looks fine," Maddie said tightly. She'd never in her life been so annoyed by another person and Parvati was grating on her nerves consistently.

"You are young, Madeline," Parvati said in a condescending tone. "And I have been at this longer than you."

"What, decorating an office?" Maddie asked incredulously.

"I beg your pardon?" Parvati asked taken aback. "Madeline..."

"What does an office decor have to do with what we do as a profession?" Maddie asked, her blue eyes darkening.

"I just think that having a nicer environment would be more conducive to what we do," Parvati explained in the same patronizing tone. "Studies have shown that people work better in colourful, bright environments. This place looks cold, dark and uninviting."

Maddie's fists were clenched at her side. "Why don't you just decorate your own office then?" she hissed angrily.

"I don't just work in my office though," Parvati pointed out. She saw Lavender approaching them and she smiled warmly at the woman. "Hello, Lavender. What a nice surprise!"

"Oh that it is," Lavender said, unable to keep from grinning.

"I think I need some fresh air," Maddie said grabbing her cloak. "I'm sorry to run out, Lavender."

"Quite all right," Lavender said. "I would like to see you before I leave though. I have some designs to show you based on what we came up with that one night at dinner."

"Sure," Maddie said smiling at her.

"And I have some designs I'd like to show you for your office," Parvati said to Maddie. "I think you'll like them."

Maddie said nothing, just glared fiercely at the other woman before sweeping out of the office, her hair flying out behind her.

"Poor Madeline," Parvati said shaking her head. "She just doesn't understand anything, I'm afraid."

"I'm sure she just likes her office the way it is," Lavender said.

"Some people hate change, I guess," Parvati said with a shrug. "So, what brings you by?"

"Seamus and I are leaving and I wanted to... give you a goodbye gift," Lavender said with a false, bright smile.

Parvati beamed at her. "I love presents!"

"I'm sure you'll adore this one," Lavender said, bringing out a large envelope that she'd picked up from a friend on her way over.

Parvati rubbed her hands together eagerly before taking the envelope from Lavender. "This is so nice of you. You know the moment I met you, I thought you and I understood each other. You know?"

"Right," Lavender nodded, hardly able to contain herself. The photos inside would certainly wipe the smile off Parvati's face.

Parvati opened the envelope and pulled out the photographs. "This is so....where....where did you get these?"

"I have my sources," Lavender said, finally letting all pretences fall.

Parvati was silent as she looked at the photographs.

"I suppose you'd like to know why," Lavender broke into her thoughts. "Well... you started it really. If you hadn't been all over my husband at the Christmas party... I wouldn't have cared about you being here one way or the other."

"I danced with him a couple of times," Parvati said weakly. "That's no reason to do this!"

"You monopolised him the entire evening," Lavender said coolly.

"I-I didn't mean to," Parvati said her voice catching. "Who gave these to you? Was it Martin?"

"I never reveal my sources," Lavender said mysteriously. "And don't worry about destroying those. I have copies... multiple copies. I wonder how the Ministry, and this department as a matter of fact, would feel knowing that their so called 'Seer' was nothing more than a high priced window whore during her so called 'sabbatical' while she was in Amsterdam?"

Parvati opened her mouth to respond, but words failed her at the moment. She thought she had left that life behind her.

"Of course... no one has to know." Lavender said. "It could stay our little secret here Parvati."

"What do you want me to do?" Parvati asked handing Lavender back the pictures.

"Leave," Lavender replied. "Go on another sabbatical, or even find another job. I don't care. But you're trying to take charge in a department that doesn't want you, and you've done nothing but insult my cousin the entire time you've been back."

"Leave?" Parvati asked. "I can't!"

"Why not?" Lavender asked. "You did it before."

"How can you be so cold?" Parvati asked. "You have no idea what it was like for me back then."

"How can you be so callous now?" Lavender returned. "Coming into this department, telling the person in charge they're doing an awful job, telling Maddie she doesn't know what she's doing... need I go on?"

Parvati shook her head. "When do you want me to quit?"

"As soon as possible," Lavender said. "I may not be around, but I do know what's going on."

Parvati shakily stood up. Suddenly, she rounded on Lavender. "You're scared. You think that I was going to steal your husband away. I think you should be more concerned about the state of your marriage than an old friend who simply wanted to catch up with an old love."

"I've been through that once," Lavender said coldly. "I'm not going to be the scorned woman again. And I'm not worried- I'm just pissed off."

Parvati rolled her eyes. "Fine, I'll go. I hope that makes you happy!"

"You're not as stupid as I thought," Lavender snorted. "I'd have thought you'd put up more of a fight."

"I don't think it would be a good idea to tangle with you," Parvati said honestly.

"Smart girl," Lavender beamed, speaking to the other woman as if she were five years old.

"I-I'll just go and write a resignation letter for Smythe," Parvati said quietly.

For some reason, Lavender felt a slight twinge of remorse. "Where will you go?" she asked. Despite this horrible woman's behaviour, she didn't want to be responsible for sending someone to the streets.

"My sister Padma lives in Madrid," Parvati said. "I think I'll stay with her."

"Look," Lavender said. "If you can't afford to leave, I can't make you. But you have to stop running around here acting as if you own the place. You'll leave Maddie and her mentor alone and do what you have to do under Smythe's orders."

"And you won't tell anyone about these pictures?" Parvati asked sceptically. "If I do all that?"

"Not a word," Lavender replied.

"Okay," Parvati said. "I'll do as you ask."

"See you are smart," Lavender patted her head like a child.

"Thank you," Parvati said coolly.

"No thank YOU," Lavender handed her back the envelope. "You can keep these."

Parvati nodded and hugged the envelope to her chest.

"Ta," Lavender gave her a jaunty wave before disappearing back into Maddie's office to wait for the blonde.

A few minutes later, Maddie came back into her office carrying a cup of hot chocolate that she'd picked up from the cafeteria.

"I'm sorry for rushing out earlier," Maddie said to Lavender.

"Quite all right," Lavender said. "But it's all taken care of now. She won't be bothering you anymore."

Maddie sat down and gave Lavender a quizzical look. "What do you mean?"

"Just that," Lavender said mysteriously. "I'm afraid I can't reveal why, but she's promised to stay out of your hair."

"Whatever you did," Maddie said. "Thank you."

"You're welcome," Lavender smiled. "Here are those designs I was telling you about." she spread them on Maddie's desk.

Maddie gasped. "Lavender! These are gorgeous!"

Lavender was happy to hear her say that. "If you like, we can incorporate things from each design into one dress."

"You could do that?" Maddie asked. "I'd really love that."

"Absolutely," Lavender nodded. "These sleeves, for instance, would work well with this design of dress." she pointed. "And with this dress, you could wear your hair up or down, because the main design work would be in the front and not the back."

Maddie smiled. "It all seems so real now. Looking at dresses."

"I should think the ring would make it all real," Lavender teased her.

"That too," Maddie said with a laugh. "But it just all seems to be falling into place."

"Well all I can say is that this was a long time in coming," Lavender said.

"Finally, right?" Maddie asked with a grin.

"You make Ethan very happy," Lavender hugged the young woman.

"He does the same for me," Maddie said hugging her back. "And I hope we're as happy as you and Seamus."

"Without all the added drama you mean?" Lavender asked with a laugh, gathering her drawings back up.

"The drama made your relationship stronger," Maddie said. "Things aren't going to be perfect all the time. As my mum always tells me, it's how you handle the hardships that come your way."

"She is so right," Lavender nodded. "I have to get back before Seamus blows a gasket. He's already back in dictator mode."

Maddie laughed. "It's been so great having the two of you around."

"We'll certainly miss being here, but it's not as if we can't be back in a split second," Lavender said with a grin.

"The benefits of magic," Maddie said. "Come on, I'll walk you out."

"All right," Lavender agreed.

They ran into Parvati who shared a look with Lavender.

"Madeline," Parvati said stopping them. "I'm very sorry about how unbearable I've been to you and to your colleagues. You are a very competent young woman and I have no reason to question your abilities or judgment."

"Um..." Maddie was taken aback. "Okay..."

"I hope you have a safe trip home, Lavender," Parvati said before hurrying back into her office.

"That really just happened?" Maddie asked Lavender. "I didn't imagine that?"

"You didn't," Lavender said smugly.

"Amazing," Maddie said shaking her head.

"Thank you, I am." Lavender said jokingly.

Maddie hugged her once more. "Thank you for whatever you did. Give Seamus my love."

"I will," Lavender said. "We'll see you soon Maddie."

Lavender arrived back at Harry and Hermione's with a huge grin on her face. Seamus and Harry were in the sitting room talking.

"Forty-five minutes, Mrs. Finnigan," he said pointing at his watch.

"I made it back in time," she replied, undaunted by his tone.

"You want to fill me on what you were doing?" Seamus asked.

"I had to go see Madeline," Lavender answered simply. "Show her the dresses I've already designed."

"That's not all," Harry said sharing a look with Seamus.

"Every woman has her secrets," Lavender said.

"And how many do you have?" Harry asked.

"Too many for your ears Potter," Lavender retorted.

"I don't know how you do it, Seamus," Harry said chuckling.

"He loves me," Lavender said smugly.

"That and I'm a glutton for punishment," Seamus said dryly.

"That's why you were with Summer," Lavender replied sweetly.

"Who?" Seamus asked innocently. "I don't know who that person is."

"Good answer," Lavender gave him a kiss.

"Sweetheart," Seamus said softly. "You know what I'd really love?"

"Hmm?" she asked, completely ignoring the fact that Harry was still sitting in the room.

"If you'd go upstairs and finish packing," he said sweetly.

Harry laughed loudly as Lavender hit her husband's shoulder.

"Ow!" Seamus yelped.

"Wuss," she said, leaving the room.

Seamus shook his head as he watched his wife leave.

"She has you so whipped," Harry chuckled.

*** *** ***

"I can't believe those guys want to take us bowling," Darla laughed, checking out her reflection in the mirror. "I've never been bowling in my life."

"I think I went once when I was about eight," Drew shook her head. "Brian said he would show me how to do it."

"How did you get to go and I didn't?" Darla asked. "We did everything together when we were kids. I certainly don't remember ever going bowling."

"I think I went with someone from school while you were sick," Drew thought for a moment. "You had the Wizarding Flu and so Mum and Dad let me stay over at Shelly Carson's house for a night."

"You always were able to do all the fun stuff," Darla said with a frown. "You're going to be great at this and I'm going to be complete crap."

"Dar I've done it once!" Drew laughed. "Come on, I'm going to be just as bad as you are."

"You'd better be," Darla said pouting. "I'm guessing jeans and a jumper is suitable attire for bowling? We look like Muggles, right?"

Drew nodded and smiled at her sister. "So you and Hans eh? Finally found yourself a suitable match?"

"We're just casual right now," Darla replied. "Nothing too serious, but there are definite possibilities."

"I'm happy for you Dar," Drew said sincerely.

"And I am happy for you, Drew," Darla said. "It's good to see you smiling again and going out and having fun."

"Brian is really sweet," Drew replied.

"And handsome," Darla said with a grin. "And completely and utterly sprung on you."

Drew laughed. "That too." she peered in the mirror. "Think I should grow my hair back out again?"

"You'd look more like me if you did," Darla said thoughtfully. "And I am beautiful."

"I'm your mirror image!" Drew said in mock outrage. "I look as good as you do!"

"Drew," Darla said putting an arm around her. "I was kidding. We're both pretty hot."

"That we are," Drew smiled at her sister. "What time did the guys say they were coming over?"

"Seven," Darla replied and then glanced at her watch. "Which is about five minutes from now."

"Ooh I need to get changed," Drew said, pulling off her robes. "We're meeting with Maddie tomorrow at lunch- she told me that Uncle Harry and Aunt Hermione are letting them use their place for the wedding and reception."

"That's fabulous!" Darla exclaimed. "I love that place!"

"It's going to be perfect," Drew nodded, changing into her own jeans and light blue jumper. "Can you believe our little sister is getting married?"

"Before the two of us at that," Darla said with a laugh.

"It's just so sweet that she's with Ethan," Drew said. "I mean, how long was she after him and then now they're together, in love, and going to be married."

"For years," Darla commented. "And it's great that it's Ethan. He's always fit in with our family."

"We're all sort of related now in a way, aren't we?" Drew said thoughtfully.

"You want to hear something even more bizarre?" Darla asked her sister. "Ronnie Junior told me this when we were in Brighton. Last year, he snogged Saffron."

"WHAT?" Drew shrieked, laughing.

"It was before he got together with Alexa, of course," Darla said quickly. "Apparently they just kissed one night to see how it would be and decided to remain friends."

"Talk about weird," Drew said, still laughing. "R.J. and Saffron would kill each other!"

"I know!" Darla agreed. "That would be like Aunt Hermione being married to Dad. Could you imagine?"

"Hardly," Drew snickered.

The doorbell chimed and Darla looked at her sister. "You want to get it or me?"

"You go," Drew said. "I've got to find my shoes."

Darla nodded and went to answer the door.

"Hello, Darla," Brian said brightly. "How are you?"

"Great," Darla replied. "Drew's still getting ready. Come on in."

"Thanks," he smiled at her. "How have you been? You look great tonight, by the way."

"Thanks," she said closing the door. "You too. I've been okay. Drew and I have been really busy with this big wedding next weekend and it's great to just have a night off to relax."

"I bet," Brian nodded. "Hans here yet?"

Darla shook her head. "Fashionably late as usual. Can I get you anything to drink?"

"I'm good thanks," Brian smiled at her. "Just can't wait to see your twin."

"Here I am," Drew said coming into the room. "Sorry to keep you waiting."

"Hey," Brian's eyes lit up. "You look gorgeous!"

Drew blushed. "Thanks, Brian. You clean up nice, too."

"Have to," Brian grinned. "Bowling is really fancy you know." he teased.

"I would have worn my ball gown, but it's at the cleaners," Drew said.

"We'll have to make up for it next time," Brian laughed.

"That would be Hans," Darla said as the doorbell rang again.

"Dar, you look gorgeous!" Hans said picking her up and spinning her around.

Darla laughed. "Why thank you." she said, giving him a kiss.

Drew looked at Brian. "She used to be the shy twin."

"And which twin are you?" Brian asked.

"The never shy a day in her life twin," Drew deadpanned.

"She came out screaming and hasn't shut up since," Darla said grinning at her twin.

"Very funny," Drew said as Brian put his arm around her. "Shall we get going? I can't wait to see how terrible I am at this."

"Sure," Hans said. "I thought we could drive. My car's just outside."

"Great," Darla said, reaching into the closet for her Muggle coat.

"I should warn you all that Drew's done this more often than I have," Darla said getting her own coat. "And will probably be way better than me."

"I've done this once!" Drew protested.

"I've been loads of times," Brian said. "I can help you out if you're having trouble."

"I'm going to have to take you up on that," Drew said, linking her fingers with his as they left the house.

They arrived at the bowling alley and paid for their shoes and the lane.

"These are certainly attractive," Darla said scrunching up her nose at the coloured bowling shoes in her hand. "Other people have worn these?"

"Yeah," Brian said. "It's a bit gross I know, but we have to wear them. I think it's a rite of passage or something."

"Ewww," Darla said sitting down and taking off her boots.

"It's not so bad, Dar," Drew said.

"I'll help you," Hans said with a grin.

"I'll need all the help I can get," Darla said.

"We'll need to choose our balls," Brian said. Drew started to laugh. "Oh, that's really mature, Drew. You know what I meant."

"Sorry, it was just the way you said it," she said, still giggling.

"I guess it was pretty funny," Brian said joining in the laughter.

"Help me pick one out," Drew said, eyeing the shelf. "I've no idea what I'm doing here."

"Oooh!" Darla said. "They have purple and pink ones! Get one of those, Drew!"

"Right Dar," Drew said. "What if they weigh seventy stones- I'd never lift it."

"We'll see if we can find you a really pretty one that's light," Hans said to Darla.

"Okay," Darla grinned at him. "I like the purple ones best."

"I'll go get one for you," Hans said giving her a kiss.

Darla caught her sister's amused gaze and made a goofy face at her.

Drew laughed. They might not be very good at this, but she had a feeling they would have fun.

"How about we team up against your sister and Hans?" Brian suggested.

"Sounds good to me," Drew replied. "Seriously- you're going to have to show me how to do this."

"I don't mind," Brian said. "It gives me an excuse to put my arms around you."

"You don't need an excuse for that," she said softly.

Brian grinned. "Good to know."

"Kiss me for luck," Drew said. "I think I'm going to need it."

Brian leaned in and softly kissed her. "For luck."

"All right," Drew said. "Show me how to do this thing."

"Okay," Brian said handing her a light bowling ball. "Put your fingers in those holes."

"Okay," she said. "Like this?"

"Good," Brian said. He motioned for her to follow him. "Now you're going to stand right here...."

"All right," Drew said, slipping a little on the slick floor. "Okay, I remember throwing the ball down there at those pins..."

"But you need to work on your approach," Brian said -picking up a ball. "I usually do about four steps. You don't want to go over that line there, see? And don't look at the floor when you walk, focus on the pins."

"All right," Drew said, ignoring her sister's giggles as she eyed the pins.

Brian quickly demonstrated the correct approach and then looked back at Drew. "Think you've got it then?"

"I hope so," Drew said, doing just as he did.

"Okay," Brian said. "You're up first. Let's see what you can do. Aim for the centre pin there, Drew."

She nodded, her eyes trained on the pins again. She took four careful steps and threw the ball down the long wooden lane.

Darla watched in disbelief as Drew's ball knocked every single pin over.

"Way to go, Drew!" Brian exclaimed giving her a hug. "You just got a strike!"

"I did!" she exclaimed delightedly, laughing as he spun her around.

"Only once my arse," Darla grumbled. "You're an old pro!"

"Dar don't get all competitive on me now," Drew teased her twin.

"If you can do it, I think I can," Darla said picking up a ball. Hans offered to show her what to do, but she waved him off. "I saw what Brian told Drew."

"We might want to stand back," Drew said taking Brian's hand and leading him back to the seats.

"Thanks a lot," Darla said. She concentrated and remembered what her twin had done.

She copied Drew's movement, but her hand curved just as she released the ball causing the ball to land in some curvy thing that ran along both sides of the lanes.

"Does that mean I get a do-over?" Darla asked turning to look at Brian and Hans.

"Well, you get another chance," Brian explained. "But only one more. You threw the ball in the gutter, Darla."

"And that's bad right?" Darla asked with a pout.

"That's very bad," Brian said. "But you get another chance to knock down the rest of the pins. If you do, you'll get a spare."

"Okay," Darla said with a sigh, picking her ball back up as it came out of the return.

"Remember focus on the centre pin," Brian called out to her.

"All right," Darla said, trying once more. To her delight, this time the ball rolled smoothly down the centre.

While she didn't knock down all the pins, she did manage to knock down six of the ten.

"Way to go baby," Hans grinned at her.

"Not bad, eh?" Darla asked. "Not as good as Drew, but much better than my first go."

"Excellent," Hans gave her a kiss.

"Your turn Brian," Drew said.

"Let's see if I can get us another strike," Brian said, grabbing his ball and heading out to the lane.

Drew crossed her fingers as she watched Brian bowl. To her delight, he too, got a strike.

"Do you get the feeling that the two of them probably practised before tonight?" Darla asked looking at Hans.

"Maybe," Hans shook his head. "In any case... I don't think I'm too bad at this. And you'll get better as we play."

"We Weasleys are quite competitive," Darla said watching as Brian received a hug from Drew. "We can't let them beat us, Hans."

"I'll help you out on your next turn," Hans promised her.

"I'll need all the help I can get," Darla said. "Come on, then. It's your turn. Show them how it's done, Hans."

"Will do," he grinned.

Hans also got a strike and Darla couldn't help herself from gloating in front of her sister and Brian.

"We are still ahead though," Drew pointed out.

"Not for long," Darla declared competitively.

"Okay losing team buys the winning team dinner," Drew suggested.

"Sounds good to me," Darla nodded.

"You lot have enough Muggle money right?" Drew asked smugly. "Brian and I are going to be quite hungry when we're done slaughtering the two of you."

"You are so asking for it," Darla said as her sister got up.

"Watch and learn, Dar," Drew said confidently.

"We can't let them win now Hans," Darla whispered.

"They won't," Hans promised putting an arm around her. "They're going down, Darla."

Drew felt more confident this time as she stepped up to the lane. "Okay," she said. "Watch me get another strike!"

Darla, Hans, and Brian watched as Drew let the ball go. "Miss, miss," Darla whispered.

"Oh no!" Drew wailed as the ball headed towards the gutter.

"Yes!" Darla said pumping her fist.

Drew turned around and glared at her sister.

"You Weasleys really are competitive," Brian said with a laugh.

"Well I still get to go again!" Drew said, waiting for her ball to come back. "I can still get a spare!"

"Nice wish," Darla taunted.

"Watch me," Drew said, her eyes narrowed in concentration. She took a few steps and rolled the ball down the lane again.

"Come on," Brian urged as the ball slowly moved toward the pins. While she didn't get a spare, she did manage to knock down eight pins. "Good, Drew!"

"Yes," Drew pumped her fist.

They played three games in total, with Drew and Brian winning two and Hans and Darla only winning once.

"You sure you didn't use your wand or something?" Darla asked as she took off her bowling shoes. "I think you cheated."

"I'm just better," Drew grinned at her sister. "I have played more." she nudged her.

"More than that one time when you were eight?" Darla asked.

"Maybe," Drew teased. "Guess you'll never know."

"We'll have a rematch," Darla said determinedly. "Hans and I were just off our game this time."

"I'm sure you were," Drew pulled her boots on and shrugged into her coat. "Where are you two taking us for dinner?"

"There's a Muggle pub a street over from here," Brian said. "I haven't been there in awhile, but they have great sandwiches."

"Sounds good," Darla said, looking at Hans. "Ready?"

"Sure" Hans said helping her with her coat. "Let's go drown our sorrows."

Darla laughed. "Wait until we play chess with them. Drew's as bad as my uncle Harry."

"We need to play that next then," Hans said giving her a kiss.

It didn't take them long to get to the pub and Drew immediately liked the feel of the place. It was quite crowded and there didn't seem to be any tables available.

"How about we sit at the bar until one opens up?" Brian suggested.

"Sure," Drew said. "I'm thirsty."

Darla led the way and they managed to find four seats at the bar. "I like this place, Brian."

"The owner is fantastic," Brian said. "And like I said, the food's great and not overly expensive."

"Hiya," a familiar voice said causing Drew to turn her head. "What can I get you.....Drew?"

"Jon?" Drew asked, staring at her brother in shock. At hearing the name, Darla whipped around to stare at her brother as well.

"What on earth are you doing here?" Darla asked sharing a look with Drew.

"I uh..." Jon looked around as if trying to escape. "Well um... I sort of work here."

"Working?" Darla asked pulling a confused face. "Since when?"

"How about you and I go play darts?" Brian asked Hans.

Hans nodded and the two guys disappeared.

"Just a little while," Jon said. "Listen, you two have to promise me you won't say anything to Al about this."

"She doesn't know?" Drew asked leaning forward. "Jon, what's really going on?"

"Look lately we haven't been doing so well money wise, all right?" Jon said. "And I don't want her to work while the girls are still home. So I took this second job so we'd have some more money coming in."

"So is this the 'client' who kept you late on New Year's?" Darla asked pointedly.

Jon nodded.

"Why don't you just ask Dad for a loan?" Drew asked. "You know he'd help you out if you were in trouble. Or Josh---"

"Because I didn't want anyone to know," Jon hissed. "That's why you two have to keep this a secret."

"Jon," Drew said putting her hand on his arm. "We won't say anything if you don't want us to."

"Thank you," Jon said in relief.

"I still think you should tell Allie," Darla said. "You shouldn't be keeping things from each other, Jon."

"Look if she knew about this, she'd start worrying too much. And I don't want her worrying. With this job, we've got enough." Jon said.

Drew leaned over the bar and gave her older brother a big hug. "You stood by me when I needed it. I'll stand by you now, Jon."

"Thanks Aunt Doo," Jon grinned at her.

"How are Emma and Caroline?" Drew asked.

"They're fine," Jon said. "I can't believe how big Emma's getting. She's growing up too fast."

"We have some old dresses we've been meaning to bring by," Darla said. "And veils, too. I'm sure the girls would love them."

"They definitely would," Jon nodded, getting another pint for a patron just down the bar.

"Does this mean we get free drinks?" Darla asked giving her brother her best Maddie smile.

"Nice try but you're not the baby sister," Jon laughed. "Only Mad Dog can pull that one off."

"Ahh, you're no fun," Darla said pouting at him.

"So you two on a double date?" Jon asked.

Drew nodded as Jon slid them both a pint of hard cider. "With Brian and Hans."

"And we found out that Drew's a super bowler," Darla said rolling her eyes.

"Sounds like a bit of twin envy to me," Jon teased, thinking about his own brother.

"A bit?" Drew scoffed. "She's jealous."

"I can still whip you at chess," Darla declared.

"And I can beat both of you at it," Jon said smugly.

Someone down at the end of the bar waved at Jon.

"I should probably go and get that," he said. "But I can count on you two? You won't tell Al?"

"We already promised we wouldn't," Drew replied. "Go on- make your money."

"Thanks," Jon said smiling at them both.

"This isn't good," Darla said looking at Drew. "Not at all."

"I can't believe he'd take on a second job and not tell Allie," Drew shook her head.

"You know how proud he is," Darla said watching her brother as he spoke with a patron. "And I imagine he'd rather eat slugs than ask Josh for help."

"Tell me about it," Drew sighed. "I'm sure we didn't help on New Year's all talking about Josh and Lizzy's new place and how well they're doing."

"I just hope this doesn't blow up in his face," Darla said.

"I hope not too," Drew said. "His heart's in the right place."

"Aye," Darla said. "Come on, we'd better go and find the blokes."

"Right," Drew said. "And a table- I'm starving!"

93. Ch 93

Well here’s an extra long chapter to make up for the short one some of you complained about before ;) just kidding LOL

Don’t kill us- we don’t quite take you back to Hogwarts just yet, but the next chapter is basically ALL them! In this one you E/M fans get your wish!

Also a note- if you guys have questions you want us to answer in your reviews, save them for your comments on the Tuesday updates. We always try to reply to reviews on Saturdays so you’ll have the best chance of getting an answer then ;)

As always, please let us know what you think!!!

Hermione surreptitiously looked at her watch. This was her sixth meeting of the day and they were all starting to blend together. In fact, she was so knackered; she couldn't remember the name of the wizard who she was meeting with at the moment.

Thankfully, Samuel knocked on the door. "I'm sorry for the interruption, Minister."

"It's okay," Hermione said.

"There's an emergency phone call for you," Samuel said. Hermione paled.

She kept her mobile phone at work in case her mother needed to get in touch with her.

"It's your mother's neighbour," Samuel explained. "A Mr. Thompson?"

"Thank you Samuel," Hermione said, rushing past him and out to where he kept her mobile during the day. "Hello Mr. Thompson, its Hermione."

"Hermione, I'm sorry to call," he said. "Belinda made a casserole for lunch. She went over to drop it off at your mother's, but Elinore won't answer the door. We could see her in the window, just sitting on the sofa staring into space."

"She won't respond at all?" Hermione asked, rubbing her eyes.

"No, we rang the bell over 20 times," Mr. Thompson replied. "And then we called..."

"I'll go over there right now," Hermione said, already reaching for her Muggle coat she kept in the office. "Thank you for ringing me Mr. Thompson. I appreciate it."

"It's no problem," Mr. Thompson replied before hanging up.

"Is there anything I can do, Minister?" Samuel asked in concern.

"Can you cancel my next meeting for me?" Hermione asked. "I need to get Harry and then I have to go over to my mother's house."

"Will do," Samuel answered. "I hope everything will be okay."

"Thank you Samuel," Hermione smiled slightly at him and headed for Auror Headquarters.

Harry was going over some case notes with Ethan and Justin.

"So do you think we should interrogate them first?" Ethan asked his father. "Or bring them in?"

"I say interrogate them- the sooner the better," Harry replied. "They'll remember more details that way."

"We get to play good cop, bad cop then," Justin joked.

"You've been watching too many movies," Ethan said shaking his head.

Hermione knocked on the doorframe. "Harry?"

Ethan turned around. "Hi, Mum."

"This is a nice surprise," Harry said smiling at her. He saw the worried look on her face. "What's wrong? What's happened?"

"Would you be able to get away to come to my mother's with me?" Hermione asked. "My neighbour just rang me and said she's not answering the door or the phone. I'm really worried about her."

Harry nodded. "Of course."

"Gran?" Ethan asked. "She's not----"

"I don't know Ethan," Hermione replied. "I hope she's all right..."

"I'll come with you," Ethan offered.

"Yeah," Justin said nodding. "I'll get Natalie to go with me to question the suspects. You go with your mum and dad."

Harry put an arm around his wife as Ethan left word with Lupin and they headed out of the office.

"I really thought she was doing better," Hermione said as they walked towards an Apparition point. "I really did..."

"I'm sure everything's okay," Harry tried to reassure her.

"Gran's not been the same since Grandpa died," Ethan said.

"She took it really rough," Harry said. "Understandably..."

They reached the Apparition point and within a few minutes, they were on the front steps of Elinore's house. The door was locked and Hermione pulled out her wand. "Alohomora!”

The house was chilly and unlit- the tables had a light coat of dust on them and Hermione shivered as she pulled off her coat. "Mum?" she called out.

Ethan walked into the sitting room and stopped in his tracks when he saw his grandmother sitting stock still on the sofa. "Gran?" he asked.

"Mum," Hermione rushed over to Elinore's side.

"Hermione," Elinore whispered. "Your father's not home yet."

Hermione felt her blood freeze. "Mum..." she said gently. "Dad's not... he's not coming home."

"He's working too hard," Elinore said her expression listless. "I keep telling him not to, but he never listens."

"Elinore," Harry sat down on his mother in law's other side. "Robert's gone..."

Elinore looked at him. "Who are you?"

"Mum!" Hermione bit her lower lip. "What is going on?"

A tear fell down Elinore's cheek. "Robert...."

Ethan went into the kitchen and got his grandmother a glass of water. He noticed an almost full bottle of pills sitting next to the sink and he remembered that Elinore was supposed to be taking that medicine every day. "Mum?" he called. "Can you come in here?"

"I'll stay with her," Harry said quietly.

Hermione squeezed her mother's hand before getting up and walking into the kitchen.

"What is it, Ethan?" Hermione asked.

"Isn't Gran supposed to be taking these?" Ethan asked. "I thought it might be a refill but it's the original date on here..."

Hermione took the bottle. Suddenly, her mother's bizarre behaviour started to make sense. "She's supposed to take two a day."

Ethan shook his head. "Why would she stop taking her medication?"

"I don't know," Hermione said, pulling her address book out of her bag. "Will you do me a favour and call her doctor? His number is marked in there. Ask him to come over straightaway."

"Sure," Ethan nodded, reaching for the phone.

Hermione took the glass of water and Elinore's pill bottle back into the sitting room.

"Mum?" Hermione asked. "Why haven't you been taking your medication?"

"What medication?" Elinore looked at her daughter, confused. "Your father told me just this morning I don't need any medicine."

Hermione exchanged a worried look with Harry.

"Mum," Hermione said gently. "You didn't talk with Daddy this morning."

"Of course I did," Elinore replied.

"What did Daddy say to you?" Hermione asked.

Elinore blushed. "You wouldn't want to hear about what your father and I talk about Hermione," she chided her daughter.

"Here Elinore," Harry handed her the glass of water. "Take your pill and drink this all right?"

"I don't know who you are," Elinore said handing the glass back to him. "But I don't need to take this. I'm fine!"

"Mum take it," Hermione said sternly. "You know who Harry is. He's been my husband for years now."

Elinore stared at her. "You're a teenager, Hermione. You're not married!"

Hermione stared slack jawed at her mother. "I have three children Mum. Ethan was just here!"

Elinore shakily got to her feet. "You can't talk to me like that! I'm going to talk to your father about this, Hermione."

"Please take the pill," Hermione held it out to her mother. "Please,"

"Dr. Stephens is going to be here in a few minutes," Ethan said coming back into the room.

"Thanks Ethan," Harry smiled at his son.

"Ethan," Elinore said suddenly recognizing her grandson. "My sweet boy..."

"Hey Gran," Ethan said, reaching out to hug her.

Elinore hugged him tightly. "You never come by anymore."

"I'm sorry Gran," Ethan kissed her cheek. "I'll come by this week with Maddie okay?"

"I miss your grandfather so much," Elinore said sobbing. "I can't be here without him, Ethan..."

"Mum why don't you think of moving in with us, or if you want to stay in a Muggle area, with Lavender?" Hermione asked as her mother took a large gulp of water. "I'd feel so much better having you closer or with someone all the time."

"This is my home," Elinore said firmly.

"But Mum you aren't taking proper care of yourself," Hermione argued.

"Don't let her send me away," Elinore said looking helplessly at Ethan. "This is my home."

"Gran,” Ethan said gently. "Mum's not trying to send you away."

"Hermione's right Elinore," Harry said. "You need to make sure you're taking your medication as directed."

"I took up for you when Robert was against you," Elinore said looking at Harry. "And now you want to get rid of me too."

"Mother!" Hermione said. "Harry does not want to get rid of you! None of us do!"

Elinore sat back down on the sofa. "I don't know what to do, Hermione."

Hermione hugged her mother closely. "We all love you so much," she choked out as tears came to her eyes. "Let us help take care of you."

"I'm so sorry, Hermione," Elinore said crying as well. "I don't want to be a burden."

"You'll never be a burden Elinore," Harry said, squeezing his mother in law's hand.

"Never," Ethan agreed. "We love you so much, Gran."

"Thank you," Elinore said, still sobbing.

Dr. Stephens arrived a few minutes later and Harry, Hermione, and Ethan waited in the kitchen.

"How are you doing, Mum?" Ethan asked.

"I don't know," Hermione slumped in a chair. "I'm so tired all the time. I don't know how much longer I can do all this."

"This has been happening for awhile then?" Ethan asked. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"You've been so busy with Maddie, planning your wedding," Harry said. "And it really only started after your Mum and I got back from the Swan Islands."

"I feel like a part of this is my fault," Ethan said glumly. "I haven't seen her since New Year's Day and maybe if I'd come by more often, this wouldn't have happened."

"You had nothing to do with it," Hermione said firmly.

"Still," Ethan said with a shrug.

"Your mother thinks we shouldn't have gone away on holiday," Harry said.

"I think we should have waited now," Hermione shook her head. "I really shouldn't have left her alone so soon after the holidays."

"Hermione, you shouldn't beat yourself up over this," Harry said putting a comforting hand on her arm, but she shrugged it off.

"No- I should be there more for her," Hermione said, rubbing her temples. "I just don't know when I'm going to find the time."

Dr. Stephens came into the kitchen. The expression on his face was grim and Hermione wasn't so sure she could take any more bad news.

"How is she?" Ethan asked.

"I've given her a sedative," Dr. Stephens replied.

"Why would she stop taking her medicine?" Hermione asked.

"She said that Robert told her she didn't need to," Dr. Stephens said. "She also mentioned that she hadn't eaten anything in two days."

"Two days?" Harry asked incredulously.

Hermione sighed and buried her face in her hands. "I just don't know what to do," she said wearily.

"Your mother isn't able to live on her own anymore, Hermione," Dr. Stephens said. "If she continues to do so, things are going to get progressively worse."

"I've been trying to get her to move in but she refuses," Hermione said.

"Elinore is a very independent woman," Dr. Stephens said. "She always has been. But losing Robert has taken something from her. It's like she's withdrawing. This is her home and I'm not sure she wants to give up what she feels is the last thing she has of Robert's."

"I think that's exactly how she feels," Harry nodded. "But she knows she can talk to any of us about him whenever she wants to."

"I can send over a list of some wonderful places that could allow Elinore to hold onto some of her independence, but could also keep an eye on her," Dr. Stephens suggested. "I know you and your husband have your own jobs and your own lives. Taking care of your mother would require a great deal of your time, Hermione. "

"All right," Hermione nodded dejectedly. "Thank you Dr. Stephens."

"I'll have my assistant e-mail that list to you," Dr. Stephens said shaking her hand.

"I'll see you out," Ethan offered.

"Thank you," Dr. Stephens shook Harry's hand as well and followed Ethan to the front door.

"Hey," Harry said walking over to his wife. "Hermione..."

Hermione rubbed her eyes again. "I'm so tired Harry. I'm so tired of all of this. I don't know what to do here."

"No one's expecting you to do this all on your own," Harry said putting his arms around her. "I think we should talk to her about going to one of those places Dr. Stephens suggested."

"It would probably be for the best," Hermione said, wiping her eyes. "I'll need to talk to Lavender too. She should be here for that."

Harry nodded.

"I can owl Julie at Hogwarts," Ethan offered coming back into the kitchen. "And she can let Saffy know, too."

"That sounds like a good idea," Harry nodded. "See love- we've got this under control. This doesn't have to fall on your shoulders."

"Thank you both for being here," Hermione said. "I don't know if I could have done this without you."

"Come on Mum, we'll always be here for you," Ethan said.

"Thank you," Hermione said giving him a hug. "You were great with her, you know?"

"I'm just glad she recognised me," Ethan said.

"I'm going to stay here with her tonight," Hermione said wearily.

"Are you sure?" Harry asked. "I'll stay here with you then."

"You don't have to," Hermione started to protest.

"How else are you two going to have something to eat that's edible?" Harry teased gently.

Hermione gave out a hollow laugh. "I'm just going to go and check on her."

"All right," Harry said as she left the kitchen.

"Mum's not doing well either," Ethan said quietly to his father.

"No," Harry shook his head. "This is really stressful for her."

"I wish you guys would have let me know what was going on," Ethan said. "I love Gran so much, Dad."

"I know Ethan. This is the first time something like this has happened though. We've known she's been slipping but it's never been this bad." Harry explained.

"I don't know how you'll get her to give up this house," Ethan said.

"That's going to take some major sweet talking," Harry said, getting up to look in the icebox. "I think I'm going to have to run to the shops- there's hardly anything edible in here."

"I'll stay too," Ethan said. "I'll just write that letter to Jules and get word to Maddie."

"Do you and Maddie want to stay for dinner?" Harry asked, seeing if he had any Muggle money on him.

"Of course," Ethan answered without hesitation.

"Your Gran will love that," Harry said. "I'll be back in just a little while."

Julie received Ethan's letter during her last class. She knew that Saffron had Potions with Snape and she wanted to get word to her sister before she went home.

Julie stepped inside the Potions classroom. "Excuse me, Professor. I'm sorry to interrupt, but I need to see my sister for a moment."

"Professor Malfoy," Snape's lip curled. "As you can see, Miss Potter is quite busy at the moment."

"I would like to speak to her for five minutes sir," Julie said trying to keep calm. "It's important."

"So is her potions lesson," Snape said coldly.

Saffron stood up.

"Miss Potter sit down," Snape ordered.

"Professor Snape," Julie said icily. "This is a family emergency otherwise you know damn well that I'd never pull my sister from class."

"Something happen to your father?" Snape asked a small smile playing on his lips.

Julie shook her head disgustedly. "You're not part of our family so I see no need to tell you anything at all."

"Fine," Snape said coldly. "You have five minutes, Miss Potter."

Saffron hurried out after her sister. "What's wrong Jules? Did something happen to Dad? Or to Mum?"

"It's Gran," Julie began to explain.

"Oh," Saffron's breath caught in her throat. "Is she okay?" she squeaked, fearing the worst.

"Depends on your definition of okay," Julie said squeezing Saffron's hand. "One of her neighbours rang Mum at work. Gran hasn't been taking her pills and she didn't eat anything for two days."

"WHAT?" Saffron shrieked.

"She's sleeping now," Julie said. "Dr. Stephens gave her something and Ethan said that Mum and Dad are going to stay over."

"I want to go to--" Saffron began.

"Saffy," Julie interjected. "You can't."

"But Julie she needs me," Saffron protested.

"I didn't want to tell you this, but she didn't recognise Dad at first," Julie said putting an arm around her sister. "She didn't know who he was. She thought Grandpa was still alive."

Saffron's eyes filled with tears and her lower lip trembled. "Poor Gran..."

Julie hugged her. "I know, Saffy. I know."

"Why can't I go help her?" Saffron asked.

"I'm going to be leaving for home soon," Julie said. "Perhaps I could ask Dumbledore if you could..."

"You think he would?" Saffron asked hopefully.

"I'll go ask," Julie said. "You just finish up your lesson and I'll meet you in my class afterwards, okay?"

"Thanks Julie," Saffron said, wiping her eyes before heading back into the classroom.

"Saf?" Alexa whispered. "Is everything okay?"

"I'll tell you after class," Saffron said, knowing Snape would love an opportunity to give her a detention.

Alexa nodded. All throughout the rest of the lesson, she could hear Saffron sniffling.

"Okay spill," Alexa said once they were leaving Potions for the day. "What's going on Saffy?"

Saffron explained as best she could what had happened with her grandmother. "Can you come with me to Julie's classroom? She's checking with Dumbledore if I can leave with her."

"Sure," Alexa agreed.

Julie was gathering her belongings when Saffron and Alexa arrived.

"Can I go?" Saffron asked.

Julie nodded. "Dumbledore said you could come home with me tonight, but you are to come back with me tomorrow, Saffron."

"Thank you Julie!" Saffron hugged her sister hard. "You're the absolute best you know that?"

"Saffy," Julie said seriously. "You have to promise me that you won't give Mum and Dad a hard time about wanting to stay more than one night. Mum's stressed out like you wouldn't believe and the last thing she needs to deal with is you giving her a hard time. Okay?"

"I promise," Saffron nodded. "Just tonight."

"Okay," Julie said smiling at her. "Go and get your things together."

"I'll be right back," Saffron said, already running out of the room.

Back at Elinore's house, Harry was fast at work preparing dinner.

"She's still sleeping," Hermione said coming back into the kitchen. "Harry! You bought enough for an army!"

"I'm making extra," Harry replied. "So that she's got food for when we're not around."

"Thank you," Hermione said giving him a kiss.

"Maddie and Ethan are upstairs straightening up," Harry said. "Making sure it's nice and warm for Elinore. I know that sofa isn't very comfortable."

"Great," Hermione smiled for the first time that evening.

"I'm really glad you were able to come tonight," Ethan told his fiancée as they made Elinore's bed with clean sheets.

"Of course," Maddie said. "I know this isn't easy for you."

"For any of us," Ethan sat down on the edge of the bed and ran his hands through his hair.

"She's going to be okay," Maddie said coming around the bed to sit down beside him.

"You think so?" he asked.

Maddie nodded. "She's a very strong woman and she has a supportive, loving family behind her."

Ethan squeezed her hand. "You're the best you know that? You always know what to say."

Maddie gave him a kiss. "And we've made the room nice and warm for her. And I brought some magazines for her, too. In case, she wants to read."

"Great," Ethan smiled. "Let's head back downstairs. Julie owled me and told me she's coming over for dinner tonight too."

"Okay," Maddie said taking his hand and leading him out of the bedroom.

"Upstairs is all picked up," Ethan told his parents.

"Something smells amazing in here," Maddie said, eyeing the stove.

"Elinore's favourite," Harry said. "Beef stew."

"Do you have room for one more?" Julie asked appearing in the kitchen doorway with Saffron.

"Saffy!" Hermione exclaimed. "What are you doing home?"

"I wanted to be here," Saffron replied hugging her mother. "I needed to be here."

"Dumbledore said it would be okay just for tonight," Julie explained.

Harry hugged both his daughters. "Your Gran will be very happy to see you all here."

"How....how is she?" Saffron asked.

"Still sleeping," Hermione said. "But dinner will be ready soon. Perhaps you'd like to try and wake her so she can get herself cleaned up."

"Okay," Saffron said. "Julie? Will you go with me?"

"Sure Saffy," Julie smiled at her sister.

Saffron led the way into the sitting room and she stopped to look at her grandmother who looked pale and fragile. Tears welled up in her eyes. "What if she doesn't remember us?"

"They gave her the medicine she needs," Julie told her reassuringly.

"Okay," Saffron said kneeling down in front of the sofa. "Gran..."

Elinore felt herself being shaken. "Robert?" she asked sleepily.

"No Gran," Saffron said softly. "It's me and Julie."

"Hermione?" Elinore asked, blinking.

Saffron shook her head trying to stave off the tears "It's me, Saffron."

Julie placed a comforting arm on her sister's shoulders as Elinore stared at them for a moment. "Oh," she finally smiled. "My girls are here... my little Julie and my darling Saffron."

Julie grinned. "That's right, Gran. We're here."

"I've had a bit of a bad day," Elinore sat up.

"It happens to the best of us," Saffron told her. "You're going to be just fine, Gran."

"I have my family here," Elinore patted their hands. "I'm so glad you're both here."

"We wouldn't be anywhere else," Saffron said resting her head on her grandmother's shoulder.

"Mum you're up," Hermione came in the room. "Dinner's almost ready- Harry made beef stew."

"You're all here?" Elinore asked.

"Ethan and Maddie are in the kitchen with Harry," Hermione said. "We're going to have a nice family dinner tonight, especially now that Saffron's home."

"I'm so glad you're all here," Elinore said her lower lip beginning to tremble.

"Come on," Hermione said. "Let's go get you freshened up okay?"

"I'm going to go home really quick and check up on Nick and the girls," Julie said.

"Oh," Elinore replied. "Will you bring them back with you?"

"You sure?" Julie asked. "I don't want to---"

"I'd love to see them," Elinore told her.

"Okay," Julie said giving Elinore a kiss on the cheek. "We'll be back soon."

Saffron followed her mother and grandmother up the stairs. "I'm glad Dumbledore let me come home tonight." she said.

"I am too," Elinore said turning around and smiling slightly at Saffron. "Robert loved you so much, Saffron."

"I loved him too Gran," Saffron said, blinking back tears. "He was the best grandfather ever."

Elinore held on tightly to Hermione's hand. "I didn't think it was going to be this hard."

"None of us did Mum," Hermione said. "I mean, I know after he had that first heart attack we all should have been prepared but it was so sudden."

They walked into Elinore's bedroom and she smiled when she saw that there was a fresh fire in the fireplace and there were new linens on the bed.

"Maddie and Ethan did this for you," Hermione explained.

"How lovely," Elinore said.

"Gran?" Saffron asked. "Why don't you take a nice bath?"

"Are you sure I have the time?" Elinore asked.

"I'm sure you would," Hermione said. "Harry can keep the food warm and we still have to wait for Julie and Nick and the girls."

"All right then," Elinore nodded. "A bath would be nice."

"Saffron?" Hermione asked. "Why don't you go downstairs with your father and I'll help your grandmother, okay?"

"Okay Mum," Saffron agreed, smiling at her grandmother before heading back downstairs.

She was at the foot of the stairs when she heard her father and Ethan talking.

"Some of these places seem really nice," Harry was saying. "And Elinore would fit in, I think."

"Gran's not going to want to move though Dad," Ethan said.

Saffron couldn't believe this. "You’re putting Gran in a home?"

"Saffron Grace," Harry began. "What have your mother and I told you about listening in?"

"I wasn't eavesdropping," Saffron said defensively. "I was walking into the kitchen and I heard you talking. There's a difference, Dad."

"Nothing has been decided," Harry said. "And I don't want you bringing it up during dinner."

"You can't send her away, Dad!" Saffron protested. "She needs to be with us!"

"We will deal with it," Harry said sternly.

"Okay," Saffron said, not wanting to do anything that would make her father send her back to Hogwarts tonight. "Mum wanted me to tell you that Gran's going to take a bath before dinner."

"All right," Harry replied. "By the way, wait until you see Puddles. I think we finally have him relatively housetrained."

Saffron grinned. "How's he doing? Does he miss me?"

"Sure he does," Harry said. "He's lucky he's such a cute little bugger."

"I can't wait to see him," Saffron said sitting down at the table beside Maddie. "How's the Pixie?"

"That demented thing," Ethan laughed. "It loves Mads but won't let me anywhere near it."

"I'd say it was smart if it's not going anywhere near you," Saffron said with a grin.

"I feed it though," Ethan pointed out as Maddie laughed.

"I still have scratches on my fingers from where I tried to feed it," Saffron said holding out her hand.

"Why didn't you ask Madam Pomfrey for anything to heal them up?" Ethan asked.

"They don't bother me that much," Saffron replied. "So Maddie- you never told us what you named the pixie."

"I had the toughest time coming up with a name," Maddie said. "I didn't want to name it Dolly because like I told Ethan, there was only one Dolly. So, I just decided on....Blue."

"Blue?" Saffron asked with a giggle. "That's cute!"

"I thought of Satan or Voldie," Ethan said with a wink at Maddie.

"Very funny," Harry said. "I think this stew is almost done. Saffy- want to pop home with me and get Puddles? Your mum and I are staying here tonight so we can't leave him home alone."

"I'm staying here too," Saffron said. "I'll go back with Julie in the morning."

Harry nodded. "I should probably get some clothes too."

Saffron gave her father a hug. "Thanks, Daddy."

"We'll be back soon," Harry told Ethan and Maddie. "Keep an eye on that stew and if we're not back in fifteen minutes, just turn the stove off."

"Are we going to floo then?" Saffron asked her father.

"This place isn't hooked up to the Floo Network," Harry said. "I'll have to Apparate both of us just outside the house."

"Right," Saffron said taking hold of her father's arm.

Ethan and Maddie watched as they vanished. "Think he'll mind if I sneak a spoonful of this?" Ethan took the cover off the pot.

"I won't tell," Maddie said standing beside him. "If I get a bite, too."

"Only one bite," he teased.

"One big bite," Maddie corrected.

Ethan gave his fiancée a kiss before holding the spoon out to her.

Maddie leaned in to take the bite, but Ethan pulled the spoon away before she could do so. "Ethan!"

"Just kidding," he said.

"Okay," Maddie said leaning in again.

"What are you two doing?" Hermione asked from the doorway.

"Sampling Dad's stew," Ethan replied sheepishly. "Don’t tell him."

Hermione shook her head but smiled. "Your Gran will be down soon."

"She doing okay?" Ethan asked.

"Okay," Hermione sighed, sitting down. "I just can't believe she wasn't taking her medicine."

"I know," Ethan said. "Can I get you something to drink Mum? Dad bought soda, juice and milk."

"I'd actually like some coffee," Hermione said. "I feel as if I haven't slept in a week."

"I'll make it," Maddie offered.

"Thank you," Hermione said.

"Dad took Saffy back to the house to pick up Puddles and some clothes for you," Ethan explained.

"I bet Saffron couldn't wait to see that dog," Hermione said.

"She was excited," Ethan said with a laugh.

Maddie quickly finished a pot of coffee and brought a cup to her future mother in law. "Did you want anything in it?" she asked.

"Cream and sugar please," Hermione replied. "Thanks, Maddie."

"Sure," Maddie said. "Think Elinore would like a cup too?"

"I think she'd like that," Hermione said nodding.

"How does she take hers?" Ethan asked.

"She's always liked hers with just a touch of cream," Hermione said. "No sugar."

"I'll keep it warm for her with a charm," Maddie said, touching her wand to the mug.

"Were you able to get in touch with Aunt Lav?" Ethan asked.

"I left her a message on her voicemail," Hermione replied. "I'm sure she'll call me back right away when she gets it."

"Voicemail," Maddie said. "You remember how Fred and George bought a mobile telephone for Grandpa on Christmas? He's fascinated by it. He wants me to explain ring tones to him. Nana's ready to strangle him."

Ethan and Hermione laughed. "What about that tape recorder Alexa gave him?" he asked. "He tinkers with that thing all the time."

"Nana wanted to hide it from him," Maddie said giggling. "He kept recording everything."

"He really loves all that Muggle technology," Ethan said. "Imagine him in a place like this all the time."

"He'd be like a kid in a candy shop," Maddie said.

"So have you two decided where you want the wedding to be?" Hermione asked. "I know you were talking about an outdoor one..."

Ethan and Maddie looked at each other.

"I was going to ask you if you'd let us hold it in your garden," Ethan said. "Maddie's always loved it."

"Of course you can have it there," Hermione answered.

"Really?" Maddie asked. "Thank you so much!"

Hermione hugged the younger woman. "Harry and I will do anything we can to make your day perfect."

"Thanks Mum," Ethan said smiling at her. "We really appreciate that."

"Drew and Darla are really excited about it," Maddie said. "You're not going to believe this, but they've actually been planning this for quite some time."

"Have they now?" Hermione laughed.

"They said they knew it was a matter of time and they wanted to be prepared," Maddie said shaking her head. "I think I might not be the only Seer in the family."

"Oh come on," Ethan teased. "You've only been saying you were going to marry me since you were four."

"I certainly hope your sisters haven't been planning it for that long," Hermione teased.

"We were also sort of hoping we could have the reception there at the house," Ethan said. "That big ballroom would be perfect."

"I'd love that," Hermione said. "We haven't had a big party down there in ages."

"That's a big load off our minds," Maddie said with a grin. "Now we don't have to worry about booking a place."

The front door opened and Katie and Ashley ran into the kitchen. Smiles were plastered on their faces.

"Your mum told you to be nice, didn't she?" Ethan asked tweaking Katie's nose.

Katie giggled. "Maybe."

"Come here you little pumpkinhead," Ethan said picking her up and spinning her around.

"Uncle Ethan!" she laughed. "Do it again!"

Ethan spun her around again. "Katie, my bestest matie."

"What about me?" Ashley asked, laughing.

Ethan put Katie down and ran over to Ashley scooping her up. "What about Ash? Huh? You are better than bangers and mash!"

"Uncle Ethan that's just silly!" she giggled.

"You're silly," Ethan said tickling her. "I bet you can't think of anything to rhyme with my name."

"How about by the end of the night?" Ashley asked. "I bet I can come up with something."

"There's 10 galleons in it for you if you can," Ethan said winking at her. "And it has to be an actual word, Ash.”

"Ten Galleons?" Ashley asked her eyes wide.

"What about if I think of something?" Katie interjected.

"Ten galleons to the first Malfoy girl who can come up with a word to rhyme with my name," Ethan said grinning at her.

"Maybe you can both think of something?" Maddie suggested.

"No way," Katie said. "I'm going to win. Grandma, where's the dictionamary?"

"Dictionary," Ashley corrected.

"I think your Gran keeps one in the office," Hermione said. "But neither of you better make a mess in there all right?"

"Okay," Ashley said. "We won't."

"That's good Ethan," Nick shook his head. "Start a competition between them." he grinned.

"They're never going to be able to think of a word," Ethan said laughing. "And it keeps their minds off of...this."

"I suppose that is good thinking," Julie smiled at her brother. "We warned them no fighting though, so hopefully that will last."

"We'll cross our fingers," Hermione said giving her daughter a hug. "Thank you for bringing Saffron home."

"She begged, and when I told Dumbledore he didn't have the heart to say no," Julie replied.

"It wouldn't seem the same without Saf," Ethan said. "And she'd never let us hear the end of it, if she didn't come."

"Tell me about it," Julie agreed. "Where's she at?"

"She went with your father back to our house to pick up some belongings and Puddles," Hermione replied.

"They should be back pretty soon," Ethan said, sitting next to Maddie.

"I should probably go check on Mum," Hermione said getting up.

"No need," Elinore said from the door.

"Mum!" Hermione said turning around in surprise.

"Hi Gran," Julie said giving her a hug. "How are you feeling?"

"Much better," Elinore managed a smile.

"We made you some coffee," Maddie got up. "Just a touch of cream in it, the way you like."

"Thank you so much, Madeline," Elinore said warmly. "That was very sweet of you."

"I'm glad to do anything I can to help," Maddie gave her a hug.

"Ethan is very lucky to have you," Elinore said. She looked around the kitchen. "Something smells wonderful."

"Is it my aftershave?" Nick asked cheekily.

"Hardly," Maddie teased him. "That would be Harry's beef stew."

"My favourite," Elinore said smiling at her family. "I'm so glad you're all here."

"Puddles!" everyone could hear Saffron laughing as she and Harry opened the front door. "Wait!"

The Puggle ran at full speed into the kitchen. Elinore laughed and kneeled down to pet the dog.

"He's so fast!" Saffron said breathlessly.

"You don't have to tell us that," Hermione said laughing. "We've been chasing after him for weeks."

"I've missed my little Puddles so much," Saffron picked up her dog and kissed his head.

"You should have seen him when he first saw her," Harry told the others. "He nearly leapt into her arms."

"He knows me," Saffron said in satisfaction.

"How's school?" Nick asked, affectionately tugging Saffron's ponytail.

"Good," Saffron replied. "Except for bloody Snape. You should have heard him today when Julie came to get me."

"He's always been a wanker," Ethan rolled his eyes. "If it was a Slytherin he'd fall all over himself letting them out of class."

"He apparently doted on my father so right away that should tell you something about his character," Nick said.

"In other words nothing good," Julie agreed.

"Let's not talk about Snape," Harry said. "How about we all go in the dining room and tuck in for a nice family dinner?"

"Sounds good to me," Ethan said ravenously.

Julie called out for her daughters. "Ashley! Katie!"

"That is not a word," Ashley said smugly to Katie as they made their way out of their grandmother's study.

"It can be," Katie argued. "And it rhymes."

"It wasn't in the dictionary," Ashley said breezing into the dining room.

"Any luck?" Ethan asked. "Am I going to leave the house without 10 galleons tonight, girls?"

"Not yet but we still have the rest of the evening," Ashley answered. "I'll find something Uncle Ethan."

"What's this about?" Saffron asked curiously.

"Ethan made a bet with the girls that if they can find something to rhyme with his name he'll give them 10 Galleons," Maddie explained.

"Oooh," Saffron said. "Can I get in on this too?"

"This is a Malfoy thing only Saf," Ethan grinned at his sister.

"Come on," Saffron said glaring at him. "I'm kind of a Malfoy. I'm Nick's sister-in-law."

"And I'm technically a Malfoy," Julie teased. "I married one."

"Okay," Ethan said confidently. "You and Saffy can try, but you're not going to be able to do it."

"Mummy that's not fair," Ashley complained.

"Yeah, you and Aunt Saffy are smarter," Katie pouted.

"I've got an idea," Saffron said. "If either Jules or I get it, Ethan has to do whatever we ask. And if you two win, you get the money."

"I guess," Katie said, still not feeling as if this was fair.

Saffron laughed. "Okay, I'll bow out. Ethan's right, this is his bet with the two of you."

"Me too," Julie smiled. "I was only teasing anyway. But maybe Saffy and I will help you two."

"I'm going to get it," Katie said. "I'm going to get it before Ash."

"Okay," Nick said quickly. "But for now, we're going to have something to eat and spend time with your great grandmother."

Ashley and Katie both nodded solemnly determined to be nice for their great-grandmother's sake. They'd both been shaken when their mother came home and told them what had happened.

"This is really delicious," Elinore said smiling across the table at Harry. "I appreciate you doing this for me, Harry."

"I'm glad to do it Elinore," Harry smiled back at her. "I made extra so you've got something to eat over the next few days too."

Elinore nodded and smiled when Saffron handed her a bread roll. "Thank you, sweetheart."

"Welcome Gran," Saffron said. "Here's the butter."

"She looks better since she took a bath," Julie whispered to her mother.

"Much," Hermione nodded. "More alert too."

"This means a lot to her," Julie said looking down the table where Saffron was saying something to make Elinore laugh. "All of us together like this."

"I know," Hermione said. "And it's good of the girls not to argue."

"We had a really good talking to with them before we left," Julie said. "They promised to behave."

Ashley was muttering under her breath as she ate, trying to figure out words that would rhyme with her uncle's name.

"Uncle Ethan," Katie asked. "Who's going to be your flower girl?"

"Well, we'd hoped to get Emma to do it since she's the youngest," Ethan replied.

"Oh," Katie said in disappointment.

"Actually," Maddie said looking at Ethan. "I was actually hoping that you, Caroline and Ashley would be bridesmaids. You could all three walk down the aisle together."

"Bridesmaids?" Katie asked, her eyes lighting up.

"Junior bridesmaids I'm sure," Julie replied. "But what a lovely idea. You three can get matching dresses."

"Good save," Ethan whispered to Maddie.

"Thank you," Maddie whispered back, stealing a bite off his plate.

Ethan decided to let that slide and he grinned as he saw Ashley still mumbling. He had a feeling he was going to win this bet.

"Think of anything yet Ash?" Saffron whispered to her niece.

"It's almost impossible," Ashley said with a sigh. "No real words rhyme with his name, Aunt Saffy. Wait...Uncle Ethan said we had to think of a word that rhymes with his name. He didn't say which of his names..."

"Use Potter," Saffron grinned. "If he didn't specify then you're still in with a good chance."

Ashley grinned. "Uncle Ethan?"

"Yeah Ash?" Ethan asked. "Think of something? A real word?"

Ashley nodded triumphantly. "More than a word actually. Are you ready?"

"Definitely ready for this," everyone turned to look at Ashley who blushed.

"Okay," Ashley said. "Well, how's this? Ethan Potter, you big rotter, you're not much hotter than an ink blotter?"

Ethan stared at his niece for a moment as his jaw fell open. "That... that's..."

Saffron laughed. "She rhymed your name Ethan. You never said it had to be your first one."

"Specification," Hermione said shaking her head. "You should always specify, Ethan. Good one, Ashley!'

Ashley giggled while Katie glowered angrily. "I'd have thought of something if I had known we could rhyme his last name!" she complained.

Ashley bit back a retort. "I'll...I'll split the 10 galleons with you, Katie."

"You will?" Katie nearly dropped her fork in surprise. "You will for real Ashley?"

Ashley nodded. "You kind of gave me the idea actually. Remember in the study when you said you wished we could rhyme his last name instead?"

Katie smiled. "I did say that," she said proudly.

"So it's only fair that you get half," Ashley said smiling at her sister.

"Thanks Ashley," Katie beamed.

"Did I just witness this?" Julie asked looking at Nick. "They actually agreed on something?"

"Don't argue it," Nick joked under his breath.

"I must admit I'm impressed," Ethan smiled at his nieces.

"Pay up, Potter," Katie said pulling her most serious face.

The whole table burst out laughing at that. "I'll get your money after dessert," Ethan promised. "My money pouch is in my cloak."

"Katherine Rose," Elinore said chuckling. "You are so funny."

Nick mussed his daughter's hair. "That she is."

*** *** ***

That following Friday evening found Ethan and Maddie curled up together on the sofa in their flat, going over wedding plans.

"This is great that your parents will let us use the house for the ceremony and reception." Maddie said, leaning against him.

"You know they wouldn't have turned us down," Ethan said with a laugh.

"I know but it's just a big load off my mind," Maddie said. "Now we can concentrate on other things. Like the honeymoon," she grinned at him.

"The long wait will finally be over," Ethan said dramatically.

Maddie hit his arm. "Smartarse."

"I can't help that I'm really, really, really looking forward to the honeymoon," Ethan said winking at her. "Really, really, really..."

Maddie leaned in and kissed him. "Did you have any ideas on where you wanted to go?"

"A bedroom?" Ethan suggested cheekily.

Maddie hit his arm again. "Ethan James!" she said, laughing as he pushed her down on the sofa.

"I'm being honest," Ethan said tickling her.

"Well of course we'll be in a bedroom," she said, giggling. "But I've always wanted to go to the Caribbean. Drew and Darla always talk about how lovely it is there."

"The Caribbean it is," Ethan said smiling down at her. "Whatever you want, Mads."

She leaned up and kissed him again. "It's going to be so romantic," she said softly.

"Have you had any visions about it?" Ethan asked her.

"No," Maddie shook her head. "I'm not sure I want to. I want everything to be a new experience."

"I was so afraid that you might have 'seen' me proposing," Ethan said. "I wanted to take you by surprise."

"You did," she said, pushing his hair out of his eyes. "I had no idea you were planning that."

"Not just saying that to make me feel better?" Ethan asked teasingly.

"Would this face lie to you?" Maddie asked, giving him her patented look.

"Never," Ethan said before kissing her. "I love you, Maddie Molly."

"I love you too," she answered, closing her eyes and deepening the kiss as she ran her hands over his back.

"Practise, practise," Ethan said huskily.

"Makes perfect," Maddie agreed as he slid his hand under her jumper.

Ethan kissed her as he did so. Her skin was so soft and warm. He couldn't get enough of her.

"Touch me," she breathed as his lips attacked her neck. "I love it when you touch me."

Ethan did as she requested; slipping his hand under her bra.

"Mmm..." she arched her back.

"I'm going to make you so happy Maddie," he said softly "So very happy."

"You already have Ethan," she said, her eyes glazed over. "The day you told me you loved me is still one of the happiest days of my life."

"I'm sorry it took me so long to catch up with you," he said softly.

"It all worked out in the end," Maddie smiled up at him as he stroked her hair. "We're here now, and we're going to be married."

"In just a few months," Ethan said smiling back at her. "You know what we've never talked about?"

"What?" she asked.

"Kids," Ethan replied.

"You want to talk about us having kids?" Maddie was surprised.

"Sure," Ethan said. "We never have...."

"I guess we've just never really thought about it," Maddie twisted a lock of hair around her finger.

"You come from a big family," Ethan said thoughtfully.

"Yeah," she said with a soft smile. "I always pictured myself having a big family too."

"Two sets of twins?" Ethan asked with a laugh. "And a really adorable blonde who no one can say no to."

"We'd have quite the crazy life," Maddie giggled.

"Crazier than the one we have now?" Ethan asked suddenly aware that something was looking at him. Sure enough when he turned around, Blue was staring right at him. "Okay, he's kind of freaking me out, Maddie."

She laughed. "Maybe he's warming up to you," she said, reaching over to open the cage door.

"I doubt it," Ethan said. "You sure do like letting him out, don't you?"

"He's perfect for me," Maddie laughed as the pixie dodged to her shoulder.

"Maybe he can be the ring bearer," Ethan joked. "Mads...that was a joke..."

"Is he making fun of you Blue?" Maddie cooed to the pixie.

Blue nodded his little head and toyed with Maddie's hair.

"He understands you?" Ethan said in disbelief.

"Of course he does," Maddie replied. "Dolly did too. Pixies are quite intelligent, just very mischievous. They can tell when people genuinely love them."

"Is that why you were always talking to Dolly?" Ethan asked. "Because I thought you were mad. I remember that one time I saw you reading her a story."

"She loved stories," Maddie remembered fondly.

"What was her favourite story?" Ethan asked.

"Rapunzel," Maddie said with a grin.

"And what about this little guy?" Ethan asked leaning in and trying to pet Blue on the head, but the Pixie snapped at him. "Whoa!"

"Blue," Maddie said reprovingly.

Blue turned to Maddie and gave her a pitiful look. Ethan laughed. "He's giving you a taste of your own medicine."

"Be nice to him Blue," Maddie told her pixie. "He took you out of that shop and brought you home to me remember?"

Blue relented and Ethan petted the pixie's head. "Good pixie."

"See he's not bad," Maddie smiled. "And he feeds you when I'm not around Blue."

"That's right," Ethan said leaning back on the sofa. "Do you remember how you used to say you and I were married and Dolly was our baby?"

"And you used to practically tear out of the room when I said it," Maddie laughed.

"I was seven!" Ethan said defensively.

"And completely terrified of girls," Maddie leaned over and kissed him.

"I liked Kiki," Ethan said.

"Yeah but that was your typical young boy crush." Maddie pointed out.

"I had it bad," Ethan said laughing. "She was good about it though. She certainly never ran from me or hid behind a table."

"Brat," Maddie said affectionately.

"As much as I hate to do it," Ethan said looking at his watch. "I should get going. Don't want to be late."

"Where are you going?" Maddie asked.

"Duty calls," Ethan said giving her a kiss. "Justin and I are on stakeout tonight and we have a briefing."

"Oh," Maddie said, sitting back. "Okay..."

"You and the Blue Demon going to be okay?" Ethan asked.

"Blue and I will be fine," Maddie replied. "I'll just miss you is all."

"I should be home around six tomorrow morning," Ethan said. "But...how about I bring home something for breakfast? I'll go to that corner bakery..."

"If you want to," Maddie said. "Promise you'll wake me up when you get in? I don't have to be back to the office until Monday."

"I will," Ethan said giving her a kiss. "Bye, Maddie Molly."

"Bye Ethan," Maddie smiled. "Take care of yourself out there."

"And Blue?" Ethan said looking sternly at the pixie. "You take care of our girl."

Blue nodded before diving under Maddie's long hair.

"I think you're the one who needs to take care," Ethan teased. "Bye."

"He's very silly," Maddie said to her pixie once Ethan had gone. "You know that Blue?"

Blue nodded and cackled.

"And you're a goofy little guy," Maddie held out her palm and he landed on it. "How about a little treat for you?"

Blue nodded happily.

94. Ch 94

Authors' note: Thanks to everyone who continues to read! We appreciate the feedback and hope that you guys are continuing to enjoy the story. This is the start of a huge story arc for the Hogwarts crew. Drama, drama, drama.

Because it was too cold to go outside and there was a blizzard brewing, everyone pretty much stayed inside the castle that weekend. Saffron decided to catch up on some required reading for Herbology. Andrew apparently hadn't gotten up yet.

"Hi Saf," Alexa said approaching her best friend. She carried a huge pile of books. "I hate revising for O.W.L.s."

"Revising is never fun," Saffron smiled at her. "I'm just doing some reading for Herbology. You can sit with me if you want."

"Thanks," Alexa said sitting down. "I just checked these out from Madam Pince. R.J. offered to help me carry them, but he was busy..."

"With his new best friend?" Saffron rolled her eyes.

"She was helping him with an essay," Alexa said defensively.

"I'm sure she was," Saffron shook her head and went back to her reading.

"She was really nice," Alexa said quietly. "She said I could join them if I wanted..."

"I still think it's all an act," Saffron replied. "I wouldn't trust her one bit."

"R.J. thinks she's really trying," Alexa said. "Though, to be honest, it isn't easy to see him being friendly with her. She's prettier than I am. She's definitely more experienced."

"She is not prettier than you are," Saffron said emphatically. "You don't rely on a whole load of makeup to look as nice as you do."

"Thanks, Saffy," Alexa said. "But you're supposed to say that. You're my best friend."

"I'd say that even if I wasn't your best friend," Saffron gave her a look.

"Have I told you lately how glad I am that you're my best friend?" Alexa asked grinning at her.

"I could always use an ego boost if you want to tell me again," Saffron teased.

"I am very, very happy that you're my bestest friend in the entire world," Alexa said with a laugh.

"Morning," Andrew said, stumbling over and flopping down on the sofa next to Saffron.

"It's already eleven thirty," Saffron giggled. "Are you just getting up, lazy bones?"

"Someone kept me up last night snogging me senseless," Andrew said with a yawn.

"Hmm..." Saffron tipped her head. "She's not that tired and she was up just as late..."

"That's because she's used to staying up late and studying," Alexa told Andrew. "She's like a machine."

"I won't get to be Head Girl by slacking off," Saffron replied pertly.

"My ambitious girlfriend," Andrew said giving her a kiss. "So have you two seen R.J.? He was actually awake before me."

"He's... studying... in the library." Saffron replied with a curl of her lip. "With his new best friend."

"I thought I still held that title?" Andrew asked teasingly.

"Maybe not for long," Saffron rolled her eyes again.

"Saf," Andrew said with a sigh. "She's not that bad. In fact, she's been kind of nice lately."

Saffron stared at him in disbelief. "Oh not you too!"

"Don't jump down my throat," Andrew said putting his hands up. "Saffy, she was apparently really hurt by what happened with R.J.. They talked and now things seem to be okay. Come on, R.J.'s not stupid."

"I beg to differ," Saffron muttered, looking back at her book.

"How about we agree not to talk about her?" Andrew asked. "It only leads to trouble----"

They all turned as they saw someone coming through the portrait hole. It was R.J., but he didn't stop to talk to them. He only waved as he sprinted upstairs.

"What was that all about?" Andrew asked. "He didn't even come over to say hello."

"Dunno," Saffron said with a shrug. "I'm surprised the Ice Queen let him get away...”

Alexa bit her lower lip. "Do you think he's meeting her somewhere?" she asked softly.

Before Saffron could answer, R.J. came back downstairs carrying a book. "What's going on mate?" Andrew asked.

"Chris is helping me with that Charms essay," R.J. said. "And I needed to get this book."

"Are you wearing cologne?" Saffron asked. "To study?"

"I'm not wearing cologne," R.J. said hastily. "I really have to go."

Without a word or glimpse at Alexa, R.J. disappeared through the portrait hole.

Saffron shook her head. "This is how he was when he dated her."

"I-I think I'm going to go upstairs," Alexa said quickly gathering her books.

"Lex," Saffron put her book aside. "I'm sorry- I didn't mean to say that. Don't leave okay?"

"No," Alexa said quietly. "I-I'm kind of tired. I'll see you later, okay? Bye, Andrew."

"I can't believe him," Saffron fumed. "He didn't say one bloody word to her!"

"That was kind of harsh," Andrew admitted. "But he was in a hurry..."

"To get back to HER!" Saffron said angrily.

"Saffy," Andrew said. "You know how much R.J. loves Alexa. It didn't mean anything, I'm sure."

"It better not," Saffron said. "If he hurts her..."

"He won't," Andrew reassured her.

"Better not," Saffron sat back against the sofa, her arms crossed.

"Come on, Saffy," Andrew said. "Let's not talk about Christina Grant or R.J.."

"Okay," Saffron said as he took her hand. He really looked cute all rumpled from sleeping in so late.

"Good morning," he whispered tucking a strand of hair behind her ear.

She couldn't resist a smile at him. "More like good afternoon now," she teased.

"Doesn't matter," he said before kissing her.

Saffron closed her eyes and relished the feel of his lips on hers.

"You taste like cinnamon," he said grinning down at her.

"That could be the rolls I had for breakfast," she said, kissing him again. "And I may have nicked you a few when you didn't show up..."

"You did?" Andrew asked tickling her. "Just for me?"

"Just for you," she laughed. "Had to make sure my guy is well fed you know."

"You've definitely got my vote for Head Girl," Andrew said nuzzling her neck. "Of course, I will be long gone when your reign begins..."

"Unfortunately," she tilted her head to the side and closed her eyes.

Andrew kissed her again; oblivious to the stares a couple of first-years were giving them.

"I'm supposed to be reading right now," she said in between kisses. "But for some reason I don't care that I'm not..."

"I do believe I'm a bad influence on you," Andrew teased.

"I don't know if I would call it bad," Saffron purred.

"It's pretty good actually," Andrew said kissing her again.

"You're pretty good," Saffron kept her lips against his. "Well... more than pretty good. You're very good... at this."

"You. Are. Brilliant." Andrew said in between kisses.

"Tell me something I don't know," Saffron laughed as he kissed her neck.

They spent the rest of the morning and afternoon, snogging on the sofa.

"How about we go grab some lunch?" Andrew suggested.

"I think we missed lunch already," Saffron pressed her rather swollen lips together. "We'd have to sneak into the kitchens."

"Let's go then," Andrew said standing up. "Come on then."

"Sounds good," Saffron stuck her Herbology book back in her bag. "Let me go drop this off in my dorm and see what Lex is up to."

"Okay," Andrew said giving her a kiss. "See if she wants to join us."

"I will," Saffron said, heading upstairs after one more kiss.

Alexa was upstairs in their room revising, or at least trying to. Mimi and Beth had tried to engage her in conversation, but she'd made it quite clear that she wasn't in the mood to talk.

"Hey," Saffron said, dropping her bag on her bed. "What's up?"

"Lex is brooding," Mimi said looking up from her magazine.

"I'm revising," Alexa said through clenched teeth.

"Listen, Andrew and I are going to the kitchens for some lunch," Saffron said. "Why don't you come with us?"

"I am kind of hungry," Alexa admitted.

"Good," Saffron smiled at her. "And I'll sit with you later if you want and help you revise."

"Thanks, Saffy," Alexa said closing her book. "I need all the help I can get."

She pulled her hair back with a band and then put on her shoes.

"Come on, I'm starving," Saffron pulled on her hand.

"Me too," Alexa said.

Together with Andrew, they made their way toward the kitchens.

"We should go out later and have a snowball fight," Andrew suggested to the two girls. "I know it's cold, but..."

"That might be kind of fun," Saffron agreed. "We'll drag R.J. out with us and deck him."

Alexa giggled feeling better already. "And we can build a big snowman, too."

"And make snow angels," Saffron said. "I haven't done that in years."

"Me too," Alexa said.

Andrew led them down the corridor until they came to the painting of the bowl of fruit. "Who wants to do the honours?"

"I will," Saffron said. "I love tickling this pear..."

"Oooooh," Andrew teased. Saffron tickled the pear and then they all three walked inside, but not before hearing a peal of familiar laughter.

"I am not eating that Junior," Christina said as he held out his finger. "That looks disgusting!"

"Come on it's good," R.J. laughed.

Alexa froze at the sight in front of her, as did Saffron and Andrew.

"Something called anchovy paste doesn't sound very appealing," Christina said scrunching up her nose. "R.J.! Don't you dare!"

"What is going on?" Saffron demanded when Alexa didn't speak up.

"Saf?" R.J. asked the smile falling from his face.

"Glad to see you remember your friends," she said sarcastically, ignoring Christina.

"We finished with Junior's essay and we thought we'd grab a quick bite," Christina said sweetly. She hopped off the counter and touched R.J.'s face. "You have some chocolate on your cheek."

"Oh," R.J. pulled back and rubbed at his face. "Thanks Chris."

"No problem," she said grinning at him. "Would you three like to join us?"

"Oh but we don't want to interrupt anything," Saffron said, her words saccharine laced. "After all... Chris... you and Junior here are having such a great time aren't you?"

"We were just having fun, Saffy," R.J. said glaring at her. "Chris didn't do anything."

"I'm so sure," Saffron said icily. "We'll find somewhere else to sit, thanks."

R.J. hadn't even looked at Alexa and she wanted to say something, but she couldn't find the words. She was struck again by how comfortable R.J. seemed with Christina and how much prettier the Ravenclaw was.

Letting her head fall forward, she followed her best friend to the other side of the kitchen. She wasn't very hungry anymore and was actually near the point of tears.

"Don't cry, Lex," Saffron whispered. "Act like you could care less."

"I'll try," Alexa said, tears already pooling in her eyes. "But he hasn't talked or looked at me once since this morning."

Saffron squeezed her hand. "He's an arse. You're better than he is anyway."

"Thanks," Alexa managed a tiny smile.

Christina looked at R.J.. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to get you on the outs with your friends."

"I don't know what her deal is," R.J. said looking at Saffron. "I told her that we're cool now."

Christina resisted the urge to do a victory dance. Everything was going according to plan.

"She's just going to need some time to get used to it," Christina said. "There's a lot of bad blood between us. I guess she's more willing to hold onto a grudge."

"Like no one else I've ever known," R.J. said with a rueful grin.

"I'm just glad that you're able to forgive me," Christina said softly. "It means so much to me, R.J.."

"Yeah well unlike my so called friend, I really can't hold a grudge," R.J. shrugged.

Christina impulsively gave him a hug. "Thank you, R.J.."

"He's hugging her," Alexa dropped the biscuit she'd been nibbling at. "Saffy..."

Saffron turned around and felt anger rising in her again.

"Saffy," Andrew said. "Don't..."

"This is getting ridiculous," She said furiously. "It's one thing for him to be all friendly but now they're hugging?"

"I'm going to go back to the dorm," Alexa said pushing her plate away. "I can't do this."

"I'll go with you," Saffron said, also standing up.

"I'll have a word with R.J.," Andrew put a hand on Alexa's arm. "I'm sure nothing's going on between them Lexie. He loves you."

Alexa nodded.

"Hold your head high and act like you can't even see them," Saffron whispered to her. "Come on."

"Okay," Alexa bit her lower lip and turned her head the other way as she followed her friend out. She didn't see R.J. finally take notice of her and watch as she exited the room.

Andrew could only shake his head as he approached his best friend and Christina.

"Chris?" Andrew asked. "Do you mind if I have a word with R.J.?"

"Of course not," Christina kept her sweet facade. "I should get going. I've taken up enough of your time today Junior."

"Thanks for helping me, Chris," R.J. said. "I'm really grateful."

"That's what we Ravenclaws are for," Christina smiled. "By Junior. Bye Andy!"

"You my friend are in the proverbial dog house," Andrew said leaning against the counter.

"I know Saffy's pissed off but--" R.J. began.

"Alexa," Andrew interjected.

R.J. sighed. "She wouldn't even look at me Andrew."

"Maybe that's because when you ran into the common room earlier, you didn't even say a word to her," Andrew said quietly. "Not to mention how you were flirting with Christina right in front of her."

"I wasn't flirting," R.J. said defensively.

"I've known you for how long?" Andrew asked folding his arms. "And you are wearing cologne. You want to tell me why?"

R.J. shrugged, not really knowing what to say. "It's been nice being friends with Chris again," he said. "She's a lot more fun these days."

"And Alexa?" Andrew asked.

"I... love her." R.J. said. "She has nothing to worry about."

"You might want to tell her that," Andrew said quietly.

"Fine I will," R.J. said quickly. "Lectured me enough?"

"I wasn't lecturing you," Andrew said. "I don't know what's gotten into you lately, R.J.."

"Nothing!" R.J. said defensive again. "Can't a bloke be friends with his ex girlfriend without getting the third degree?"

"Do what you want. Just don't screw things up, R.J.," Andrew said before walking out of the kitchens.

R.J. hung around for a little while longer before heading back up to the Gryffindor dormitories. For some reason he couldn't stop thinking about Christina and Alexa was only occupying his thoughts a little.

He ran into Mimi Doyle in the Common Room. "Can you ask Alexa to meet me down here?" he asked her.

She looked hesitantly at him. "I’m not so sure that's a good idea, R.J.."

"Why not?" he asked baffled.

"She's not very happy with you at the moment," Mimi said quietly. "But I could ask her..."

"I'd appreciate it," R.J. said, pushing his hair out of his eyes.

Mimi disappeared upstairs and seemed to be gone for quite some time. Finally, Alexa came downstairs not looking very happy to see him.

"Hi," she said quietly.

"Hey," he said, his head clearing for the first time that day as he smiled at her.

"Meems said you wanted to see me," Alexa said not looking at him.

"I'm sorry I wasn't around much today," R.J. said, reaching for her.

Alexa moved away from him. "Don't."

"Why not?" he asked.

"You ignored me today, R.J.," Alexa answered finally looking at him. "In the kitchens, you didn't even see me. It was like there was no one else in the room except for Christina."

"That's not true," R.J. denied lamely. "I saw you there."

"When?" she asked him. "When I left?"

"Lexie don't be jealous of Christina," he said, reaching for her hand again. "I love you."

Alexa wanted to believe him. "I don't want to be jealous of Christina, R.J.."

"You don't have to be," he said, pulling her closer. "You're my girl." He leaned in and softly kissed her. "Chris...."

"WHAT?" Alexa pulled away. "What did you just say to me?"

R.J. looked at her confused. "I said that you were my girl."

"You called me Chris," she said, her voice shaking.

R.J. shook his head. "No, Lexie. I wouldn't have!"

"You just did," she said angrily. "Don't bloody LIE to me R.J.!"

"Lexie," R.J. said helplessly. "I-I don't know what's gotten into me."

"I don't either," Alexa wiped her eyes.

"I didn't mean it," R.J. said reaching for her again. An image of Christina filled his head and he tried to block it out. This didn't make any sense.

"Don't touch me," she backed away. "Just leave me alone R.J.."

"Lex---" R.J. called after her, but she'd already run up the stairs.

"What happened?" Saffron asked, seeing her friend burst back into the room. "What did he say to you Lex?"

"You---you were right," Alexa said her lower lip trembling. "I-I shouldn't have gone down there."

"What did he do?" Saffron asked, hugging her. "Tell me Lex."

"He kissed me and then he called me----" Alexa started to explain.

"Called you what?" Saffron prompted gently.

"He called me 'Chris'," Alexa finally choked out.

"WHAT?" Saffron nearly exploded.

"He called me by her name," Alexa said quietly.

"I say we castrate him," Beth said loyally. "He's a pig!"

"Totally a pig," Saffron agreed. "I'm going right down there and--"

Alexa shook her head. "Don't. It's not worth it, Saffy. It's over."

"You don't know that for sure," Mimi said. "Come on Lex- I'm sure it was a mistake."

"Our whole relationship was a mistake," Alexa said sinking down onto her bed.

"It was not," Saffron said. "You love him Lexie."

"I was so stupid to think I could ever compete against someone like her," Alexa said curling up on the bed.

"You aren't competing with that stupid cow," Saffron said. "I'm going to kill her."

"Just drop it, Saffy," Alexa said quietly. "Okay? Just let it go."

Saffron looked at her friend sympathetically. "Okay," she said softly. "I'll do what you want me to Lexie."

"Thank you," Alexa whispered.

"If you want to talk, we're here," Mimi said.

"I'm really sorry Lex," Saffron said. "I hate when you're unhappy."

"Me too," Alexa said sitting up. "I'm going to try and take a kip." She drew the curtains around her bed closed.

Saffron folded her arms and stared at her best friend's bed for a moment before turning and stomping down the stairs.

R.J. was sitting on the sofa his head in his hands, trying to make sense of what had happened.

"What the hell did you do," Saffron's cold voice cut into him. "You called her CHRIS?"

He looked up and frowned. "Saffy, I don't need this right now."

"I don't care what you need," she said angrily. "How could you do this?"

"I don't know!" he exclaimed in frustration. "I don't know, okay?"

"Are you under some sort of spell?" she exclaimed. "Like a stupidity one?"

R.J. shook his head. "Why don't you get off my back?"

"Why should I?" Saffron demanded.

"Chris and I are just friends, Saffy," R.J. said. "I'm sick of having to explain myself to everyone. I feel bad for what I did to her, okay? And I want to make it up to her any way I can."

"Obviously," Saffron said with a smirk. "Well I hope you and Miss Priss are happy. Alexa's up there sobbing and she thinks your whole relationship is a mistake."

"I need to see Christina," R.J. said suddenly getting to his feet.

"What?" Saffron asked in disbelief.

"I'll catch up with you later," R.J. said dismissively as if he and Saffron had just been discussing what was for dinner that evening.

"I can't believe this," Saffron said as Andrew came back into the common room.

"What's going on?" he asked.

"I think..." she began slowly. "I think R.J. and Alexa have broken up. And R.J. just ran out of here to see Christina."

"Whoa," Andrew said frowning at her. "Start from the beginning, Saf."

Saffron told him what she thought. "It's like he's under a spell or something. I've never seen him act like this before Andrew."

"And it all started when he and Christina made amends," Andrew said nodding. "Something's definitely not right. I'll give you that."

Saffron sighed as he put his arm around her. "I wish I knew what to do," she muttered. "I hate seeing Lex like this."

"It'll all sort itself out," Andrew said hoping he sounded convincing.

"If I find out she did anything I'll do worse this time than just give her spots," Saffron said angrily.

The girl in question had just come out of the Ravenclaw dorm with Monica when she spotted R.J..

"Chris," he called out. "I-I needed to see you."

"Hello there Junior," Christina purred.

R.J. didn't understand why or how he'd gotten here, but he felt his cheeks flush as she looked at him. He grabbed her and pulled her close. "I've missed you."

"I bet you have," Christina ran her fingers through his hair as Monica stared in disbelief.

He pressed his lips to hers in a bruising kiss.

Christina wanted to scream in satisfaction as he did this. "Junior," she whispered. "I've missed this so much..."

"Don't leave me again," R.J. said huskily.

"I didn't leave you the first time silly," she said, ignoring Monica's tugging on her arm.

"Chris," Monica said. "Come on. We're going to be late for dinner."

"I have my dinner right here," Christina replied as R.J. kept her close.

Monica gawked at her. "Okay, this is just too weird."

"I'll catch up with you later," Christina said as R.J. stared at her with a lovesick expression. "Junior and I are going to be busy for a few hours..."

"You....you want to go upstairs to the Room of Requirement?" he asked resting his forehead on hers. "I want to be alone with you."

"I'm all yours," Christina said, kissing him again.

Monica watched as her best friend and R.J. walked away, joined at their lips. This didn't make any sense at all. Although she didn't know R.J. very well, from what Jason had told her, he was completely mad about his girlfriend.

"Hey I was just thinking about you," Jason said, approaching her. "Want to go sit with me at dinner?"

"Hmmm?" she asked.

"You all right?" he asked, looking at her quizzically.

"I don't know," Monica said truthfully. "Chris and I were about to go to dinner when R.J. comes up and grabs her and plants one on her. Next thing I know, he's taking her up to the Room of Requirement."

"Huh?" Jason was confused. "He took Christina up there? What about Alexa?"

"I don't know," Monica said. "You tell me."

"She's your friend," Jason replied. "I hardly know her."

"She's been so great lately," Monica said. "You know? Nice and not so into herself and now....I don't know what to believe."

"Me either," Jason said. "Well... shall we just go to dinner then? Guess there really isn't anything we can do right now."

"Guess not," Monica said giving him a hug. "I'm happy to see you, Jas."

He smiled and hugged her back. "I'm really glad we got together Monica."

"Me too," Monica said giving him a kiss. "At least we make sense."

"And we're uncomplicated," he grinned, kissing her back.

It was a couple of days later and Alexa was doing everything she could to avoid R.J. at all costs. She and Saffron ate breakfast early and always had an early dinner. Saffron had it much harder since she still had to deal with R.J.. To her dismay, Christina had even started to come to the Gryffindor practises. If it hadn't been for Andrew, Saffron wasn't sure she would have made it through any of it.

Unfortunately, Professor McGonagall had called for a house meeting and the Gryffindors were gathering in the common room. The meeting was mandatory and Alexa knew there was no way around it.

"We'll sit away from him," Saffron said to Alexa. "And we won't even look at him. Right, Andrew?"

"Sure," Andrew said, not liking that he was caught in the middle of things but not really wanting to be around R.J. either. At night in the 7th year dormitory all R.J. did was talk about Christina this and Christina that. It was as if his relationship with Alexa had never existed.

"I wonder what this meeting is about." Alexa asked.

"I heard we're having a Valentine’s Ball," Mimi said excitedly.

"A what?" Alexa asked, her heart sinking. This was not what she wanted to hear.

"A ball!" Mimi said. "And I know who I have my eye on...."

"We all know who you have your eye on," Saffron teased. "We hear you talking about Ivan in your sleep, Meems."

Mimi blushed. "I can't help it that he's so dreamy."

Saffron batted her eyelashes. "Ivan, Ivan, Ivan...."

"Saffy!" Mimi hissed as they all sat down. "He'll hear you. He's just over there!"

"Well then he'll know and he can ask you," Saffron said grinning.

Alexa looked around the room and was happy to see that R.J. hadn't arrived yet. Maybe, he wouldn't even show up. But that only made her think about where he could be.

"Hiya, Lex," Ewan Chase, a fifth-year Gryffindor said. "Mind if I sit with you?"

"Um... sure," she forced a smile onto her face.

"Thanks for letting me borrow your Herbology notes," Ewan said conversationally. "You might have saved my life."

"You're welcome," Alexa said shyly.

Professor McGonagall appeared in the room and motioned for everyone to be quiet. She started to speak, but R.J. appeared behind her. If looks could kill, the red-headed boy would be in big trouble.

"How nice of you to join us, Mr. Weasley," Professor McGonagall said coolly.

"Sorry," R.J. said, wiping at his mouth before heading to an empty chair on the other side of the room. He didn't even look over at Alexa, Andrew and Saffron.

"I needed to make some announcements," Professor McGonagall said. "You are all young adults and I don't feel I need to remind you of the importance of keeping the common room tidy. Please remember to clean up after yourselves."

"Tell that to the first years," Saffron muttered to Andrew, who grinned.

"And need I remind you that unless you are a prefect, you are to be in your dormitories by nine o'clock every evening," McGonagall continued. "Some of you have been breaking curfew on a regular basis lately."

Her eyes fell on R.J..

R.J. had been busy looking out the window thinking about Christina and missed the professor's silent insinuation.

"And last but not least," Professor McGonagall said. "I have great news. There will be ball held on Valentine's Day. No first or second year students will be allowed to attend."

The third through seventh years with the exception of Alexa let out a huge cheer.

"I expect you all to be on your best behaviour," McGonagall continued. "I will not have the house of Godric Gryffindor shamed in any way."

"Yes Professor," the group mumbled as a whole.

"Does anyone have anything to add?" she asked looking around the room.

Everyone shook their heads. "Very well," Professor McGonagall said crisply.

She quietly left the room and everyone save for the younger students talked excitedly about the ball.

"So, Saffron Grace," Andrew said gallantly. "Will you do me the honour?"

Saffron giggled. "Of course I'll go with you."

"Wanted to get you before anyone else swooped in," Andrew teased, giving her a kiss.

"No one else would have a chance," Saffron said, pressing her lips to his again.

Alexa started to get up, but Ewan put his hand out to stop her. "Um, Alexa? There's something I've been wanting to....well, I've been meaning to...."

Alexa stopped and looked at him. "What?" she asked.

"I'm shite at this," he said turning red. "And I imagine using that word when trying to ask a girl to the ball, isn't a good thing."

Her eyebrows rose. "You want to go to the ball with me?" she asked in surprise.

Ewan nodded and nervously ran a hand through his brown hair. "Pathetic as I may be, I was hoping you might take pity on me."

Alexa was about to say no when she thought about his offer. It was obvious that R.J. was going to take Christina, as the two of them had barely been apart since the other day. And Ewan was genuinely cute and nice. "Well... maybe that'll be fun." she said tentatively.

"Really?" Ewan asked. "We'll have a good time, Lex. I promise I won't step all over your feet."

She actually smiled. "I'm not that great of a dancer either."

"We can sit and talk most of the night if you want," Ewan said grinning at her. Neither of them noticed that R.J. was watching their every move. Saffron did, however.

"He's annoyed," she whispered to Andrew. "He doesn't like that some other guy has noticed how great Lex is."

"Maybe this will wake him up," Andrew whispered back.

"I actually only know one dance," Ewan said. "Have you ever ...tangoed?"

"No," Alexa said, blushing.

"I'll show it to you," Ewan said taking her hand in his. "Just extend your arm with mine. There you go and then we'll go across the room."

Alexa felt silly doing this in front of everyone. "Maybe you can show me a few steps when it's not so crowded in here," she said, her face still red.

"Come on," Ewan said squeezing her hand. "No one cares...."

"She said she didn't want to!" R.J. said rounding on Ewan. "Get your hands off of her!"

"What?" Ewan looked confused. "I didn't mean to Alexa I just--"

"It's okay Ewan," Alexa said, glaring at R.J.. "Don't listen to him."

"Ewan's just asked Lex to the ball, R.J.," Saffron said. "I think they make a lovely couple."

"I didn't ask you Saffron," R.J. said coolly.

"I was just making an observation," Saffron said innocently.

"I thought the two of you had broken things off," Ewan said feeling very much like the odd-man-out.

"We did," Alexa said. "So I'd love to go to the ball with you."

"Lexie," R.J. said looking at her.

"What," she asked her tone sharp.

"I, um," R.J. stammered. "You..."

Alexa raised her eyebrow but said nothing.

"What's happening between us?" he asked suddenly.

"Mister Selective Memory," Saffron said rolling her eyes.

"Stay out of it Saffron," R.J. warned her.

"What do you want to say to me?" Alexa asked. "What could you possibly have to say to me after what you've done?"

“I just…” R.J. started. “I didn’t want…”

"Perhaps you ought to leave her alone?" Ewan suggested.

"I agree with Ewan," Saffron said. "Haven't you done enough damage here R.J.?" she put an arm around her best friend.

He didn't like the way Alexa was looking at him and all he wanted to do was take her hand and lead her away from everyone in here. But, for some reason, he didn't. He couldn't. She hadn't even been on his mind until he'd turned and seen the other boy talking to her.

"You've moved on," Alexa said quietly. "I wish you'd at least let me try to do the same."

"But I... I haven't," he said. "Well... I mean..."

"Come on Lex," Saffron said. "Let's go up to the dorm."

"Right," Alexa agreed. "Good night, Ewan. And thank you for inviting me to the ball."

"Thank you for agreeing to go with me," Ewan said smiling at her. "I hope you have a good night, Alexa."

R.J. glared at the other bloke. "Why did you ask her to the ball?" he demanded.

"R.J.," Andrew said. "He has every right to ask her."

"Not that it’s any of your business," Ewan said glaring right back at him. "But I've fancied her for quite some time. It's not my fault, you let her go."

"I didn't!" R.J. shouted angrily.

"R.J.," Andrew said putting a hand on his friend's arm, but R.J. shoved him away.

"What do you call snogging some other girl?" Ewan asked sarcastically. "Or calling your 'girlfriend' by that girl's name?"

"And what would you know about it?" R.J. asked grabbing Ewan's collar.

"I was sitting right in the room," Ewan retorted. "Everyone here heard you call her Chris that one day."

"I didn't...." R.J. said weakly. “I couldn't have done that."

"Come on mate," Andrew said. "Let's go okay?"

R.J. let go of Ewan and quietly followed Andrew upstairs to their room. He sank down onto his bed and put his head in his hands. "I don't know what I'm doing. I don't know why any of this is happening, Andrew."

"I don't know either," Andrew said, looking directly at him. "But all you've been talking about the last few weeks is Christina. And the two of you have been all over each other in front of Alexa. It's really hurting her R.J.."

"I haven't been able to think about anyone but Christina," R.J. said with a heavy sigh. "And tonight...."

"What?" Andrew asked. "Mate, please tell me you didn't sleep with her again..."

R.J. shook his head. "We've just been snogging and stuff. That's all."

"Keep it that way," Andrew warned. "I don't know what this sudden hold she's got on you again is all about and I don't like it. You're different with her."

"I've really been doing all of this in front of Alexa?" R.J. asked feeling worse than he already did.

"Yeah," Andrew said rummaging around for his Potions textbook. "I mean, you're all over Christina at every meal, you walk her to and from her dorm, to every class... in front of the entire school."

R.J. didn't really listen. Absently, he opened up the drawer in his bedside table and pulled out the picture he'd taken of Alexa in Brighton. She looked so happy and was waving at him from the picture.

"I don't know what you're doing, but if you really don't want to lose Alexa, you'd better figure yourself out fast." Andrew told him. "I have to go study."

R.J. nodded and leaned back on the bed still holding Alexa's picture. He also picked up the framed photograph of Christina that was now beside his bed.

Looking back and forth between the two girls, he couldn't figure out why his heart beat faster at Alexa's photo, but his eyes were drawn more to Christina's.

He hadn't been paying attention to his studies and he'd skived off a few lessons to spend time with Christina. Not to mention the fact, that he spent most of his Quidditch practises distracted by her.

Back in the girl’s dorm, Saffron was trying to console her friend. "Come Lex, don't cry over R.J.. It's going to be all right."

"And you do have a pretty hot bloke taking you to the ball," Mimi said.

"I don't like him like that," Alexa sniffled. "I just miss R.J.."

"He certainly didn't seem too happy with Ewan," Beth said sitting down on Alexa's bed. "After you and Saffy left, he grabbed him by the collar. I thought he was going to beat him up or something."

"It's too bad for R.J.," Saffron said. "He's lost out on the best thing to ever happen to him."

95. Ch 95

OMG you guys I (Heaven) am so sorry! Amy’s on a little vacation and I was supposed to update last night and wound up falling asleep early <insert embarrassment here> but I made the chapter longer, even though I sort of left it on a cliffy <evil grin goes here>

Thanks to dancindramadork and PotterChick958 for reminding me about not posting- again, I am sorry for the late update!!!

"What I don't understand is how he can walk into the common room and not pay any attention to me and then Ewan starts talking to me and suddenly, he's a jealous boyfriend?" Alexa asked.

"I don't know either," Saffron said pensively. "I keep thinking about it and I keep going back to how he's acting like he's under a spell."

"I certainly wouldn't put it past that bitch," Beth said. "Sounds like she'd do something just like that."

Saffron nodded. "I know Christina can't just suddenly turn around and be nice."

"And she is super smart," Mimi commented. "My sister's in Ravenclaw, too. She said that Christina gets top marks in every class, especially Potions. Snape adores her."

Saffron's eyes narrowed. "That's disgusting."

"She's not doing anything probably," Alexa said wiping at her eyes. "Look, its simple. She's prettier and she's more experienced than me. That's all there is to it."

"I'm not going to believe that for a second," Saffron said. "Lex, you're more amazing than she could ever be. You're prettier and you're actually nice."

"And R.J. wouldn't be in love with you and suddenly be gaga over here the next day," Beth said. "There's no way. Christina is up to something and I say we try to figure out what it is."

"Agreed," Saffron smiled at Beth.

*** *** ***

Caroline sighed as she carefully combed her little cousin Mitsuko's silky black hair. "I'm sorry miss," she said. "I just simply CAN'T work with this. I'm afraid you'll have to come back."

Mitsuko stared up at her from her little bouncy chair and made a cooing noise. "No, no." Caroline held up her hand. "I'm afraid no amount of money can change my mind."

"Em help," Emma said, toddling over. "Em help!"

"My helpful assistant," Caroline said looking at her sister. "I don't think we can do this! Do you?"

Emma looked at Mitsuko and then back at her sister. "No," she said solemnly.

"I think I'll need to check my book," Caroline said grabbing a magazine from the table and scanning through it. "I'm booked up all afternoon."

"Sissy busy," Emma said. "Come later."

Chiaki giggled. "Can't you do anything with her, Miss Caroline? We're desperate!"

"I'm afraid not," Caroline shook her head. "She's got to have longer hair like you Aunt Chiaki. Or like Mummy. Or even like my lovely assistant here!"

"Whatever will we do?" Chiaki asked dramatically falling at Caroline's feet.

"Do Em," Emma said, sitting in front of her sister.

Caroline pretended to mull this over. "Well, I do think my assistant should look lovely...."

"Peas?" Emma asked.

"Okay," Caroline said. "Would you like a plait like Auntie Saffy? Or would you want a ponytail?"

"Jasamin," Emma said excitedly. "Like Jasamin!"

"You would make a lovely Jasmine," Caroline said starting to brush her sister's hair. "Don't worry, Em. I won't hurt you."

Emma giggled as her sister played with her hair.

"Listen girls, your Aunt Chiaki and I are going into the kitchen," Allison said. "Caroline, can you be a big girl and keep an eye on your cousins? Let us know if they start to fuss?"

Caroline nodded. "My cousins are my customers, Mummy."

"Of course," Allison grinned at her sister.

"How cute is she?" Chiaki asked leading the way into the kitchen.

"I think she's going to be a beautician someday," Allison said, pulling out the tea kettle. "Honestly, most kids are tired of playing that game but she'll do it with anyone. And she's the only person who can get Ron to wear that Magic Mud."

"A feat unto itself," Chiaki said sitting down. "I'm so glad that you stopped by, Allie. It's nice to have adult conversation."

"Tell me about it," Allison said. "I feel as if I'm the only adult around here these days."

"Well at least you have Jon around," Chiaki said. "Tosh doesn't get back until this weekend."

"That's the thing," Allison replied. "Jon's never around these days. I feel as if it's been weeks since I've seen him."

"That same client?" Chiaki asked.

"Apparently," Allison shrugged.

"You don't think it is?" Chiaki asked.

"I don't know what I think," Allison sat down. "I asked him if he was having an affair and he said no, and I believe him of course. I just wonder why all of a sudden he's taking on all this extra work but whenever I bring up getting a job he tells me not to worry, that we have enough."

"And do you?" Chiaki asked. "Have enough?"

"For now we do," Allison leaned in. "But we're still trying to have another baby. And another baby will be a huge expense."

"I remember when you and Jon were just starting out," Chiaki said. "And you didn't have much money. Neither of you would accept any handouts from Dad or Uncle Ron. You wanted to do it all on your own."

"And we still do," Allison said as the tea kettle whistled. "And if I do get pregnant, or maybe even if I don't, I was going to as Mum if she'd let me do her books over at the dance studio. I could keep an office there and have an area set up for Emma to play in while Caroline's at school during the day."

"Mum would love that," Chiaki said smiling at her sister. "And you know Jonathan Weasley wouldn't cheat on you, Allie. He's probably just doubling up on lessons to bring in extra money."

"I know he wouldn't," Allison said, bringing their tea over along with a jar of honey and some sugar. "I just wish he was around more. I miss him."

"Well, I know a little something about dealing with an absentee husband," Chiaki mused.

"Where's Tosh dancing this week?" Allison asked, glad for a change of subject.

"First part of the week, he was in Paris," Chiaki replied. "And then he's in Lyon tonight and then Chamois tomorrow. Then, home for a week!"

"I bet Mas and Sukie know when their daddy's not home," Allison said, leaning back to check in on the kids.

"They do," Chiaki said nodding. "You should see Sukie's face when her daddy picks her up. She adores him and Mas is the same way."

"That's so sweet," Allison smiled. "Caroline and Em are the same way. You should have seen them on New Year's when Jon finally got there and he woke them up."

"Daddy's girls," Chiaki said laughing.

"But so are we," Allison grinned.

"Most of the time," Chiaki said laughing even harder.

"Okay Em go show Mummy how beautiful you are!" Caroline called after her sister as Emma ran into the kitchen.

"Look!" Emma said twirling around. "Sissy did it!"

"Just gorgeous," Allison said, holding her arms out and scooping her youngest up.

"A Caroline Weasley original," Caroline said proudly.

Chiaki laughed. "I bet Sukie will love for you to do her hair when she gets big enough Caroline."

"I'll pencil her in," Caroline said running back into the sitting room.

"Where's Dada?" Emma asked looking at Allison. "Want to show Dada!"

"Dada's not home sweetheart," Allison said. "He'll be back later."

"Oh," Emma said sadly.

Allison kissed her baby's forehead. "I'm sure he misses you."

"And I am so very happy that you came to see me," Chiaki said tweaking her nose. "And I might have a couple of biscuits for you and your sister...."

"Eat!" Emma said, perking back up.

"The magic words," Chiaki said standing up to get the biscuits.

"Eww, Mummy!" Caroline called out. "I think one of the twins needs a new nappy!"

"The other magic words," Allison laughed. "I'll take care of it Chi."

"Thanks, Allie," Chiaki said. "Here, Em. I have chocolate chip or peanut butter. Which kind do you want?"

"Chocalate!" Emma replied. "Peas," she added.

Chiaki smiled and placed two biscuits on a napkin and set it on the table for Emma. "Here you go, sweetheart."

"Thank," Emma grinned up at her.

"You're welcome," Chiaki said sitting back down. "Chocolate chip is my favourite too."

"Yummy," Emma declared.

"You look just like your father when you do that," Chiaki said smiling at her niece.

"Who looks like Daddy?" Caroline asked, coming into the kitchen.

"Em when she eats," Chiaki replied. "She gets this really happy look on her face."

Caroline giggled. "Like Grandpa too."

Chiaki laughed. "That too. And you, miss, remind me of Allie."

"I want to be just like Mummy," Caroline said.

"You're very much like her now," Chiaki said. "She used to play beauty shop when she was your age, too. She used to brush my hair all the time."

"Mummy played beauty shop?" Caroline asked delightedly.

Chiaki nodded. "All the time. She used to make Julie and I make appointments."

Caroline laughed. "Just like I do!"

"What are you talking about?" Allison asked coming back into the kitchen.

"When you used to play beauty shop," Chiaki grinned.

Allison laughed. "Chi! I'd forgotten about that! How old was I?"

"Right around Caroline's age," Chiaki said. "You used to love doing my hair any chance you got."

"That's because you have the best hair," Allison said. "Next to Maddie, that is."

"Auntie Maddie has the best beauty shop hair," Caroline agreed.

"Mad have pretty hair," Emma said nodding. She held out one of her biscuits to Caroline. "Sissy want?"

"Thanks Em," Caroline smiled at her sister.

"Are my babies doing okay?" Chiaki asked. "Which one was the culprit?"

"That would be Sukie," Allison said with a laugh. "I put her down for a kip after I changed her. Mas was already asleep."

"When her hair grows out, I'll be able to help," Caroline said patting Chiaki's arm. "Don't worry."

"I'll keep that in mind Caroline," Chiaki smiled at her niece. "Thank you love."

"It's just too short now and I'm not a miracle worker," Caroline said shaking her head.

Allison and Chiaki shared a look and both women bit down on their lower lip to keep from laughing aloud.

"We should probably get going," Allison said looking at her watch. "Jon is supposed to be home for dinner."

"Daddy?" Emma asked. "Daddy come eat?"

"Yes," Allison said picking her up. "Daddy is going to come eat. What do you think we should make?"

"We had pasketti the other night," Caroline said. "So maybe it should be something else Mummy."

"How about vegetable soup?" Allison suggested. "Since it's so cold out."

"Yum," Caroline said. "Can I help you make it?"

"Of course you can," Allison said. "Go put on your coat, sweetheart. We'll need to stop by the shops on the way home."

"Come on Em," Caroline said, reaching for her sister's hand.

Once Chiaki was alone with her sister again, she gave her a hug. "Are you going to talk to him tonight?"

"I don't know," Allison said. "I guess we'll see how things go."

"Good luck," Chiaki said. "Come on, Allie. I'll walk you guys out."

"Thanks Chi," Allison smiled at her sister.

Chiaki grinned as she saw Caroline and Emma in their little coats. Emma was having trouble with her gloves. "Come here, let me help, Em."

"Thank, Chi," Emma held out her little purple gloves.

Chiaki kissed Emma's hands before sliding the gloves on. "You look bundled up and ready to go."

"Go eat," Emma beamed at her. "With Dada!"

"We can draw him a nice picture too," Caroline said to her little sister.

"Yay," Emma said happily, reaching for Caroline's hand.

"I can send you over some soup if you'd like?" Allison asked Chiaki.

"I'll be all right," Chiaki said. "I have some salad in the icebox and some fixings for sandwiches."

"Okay," Allison said putting on her own coat. "Thanks again for listening, Chi."

"Anytime Allie," Chiaki said. "That's what sisters are for."

"Come on girls," Allison said grabbing her bag. "Let's go."

"Bye Aunt Chi!" Caroline said waving at her.

"Bye darlings," Chiaki waved. "Be good now!"

Getting in and out of the shops with two little girls was a talk in and of itself. They made it home with a few minutes to spare but to Allison's surprise, Jon was already home. Her husband was fast asleep on the sofa covered up in an old Gryffindor blanket.

"Daddy!" Caroline squealed running toward him.

"Shhhh!" Allison caught her just in time. "Daddy's asleep Angel."

"But---" Caroline protested.

"He's very tired," Allison whispered. "You can wake him after we make dinner all right?"

"Okay," Caroline whispered back. "Let's go make him dinner."

"Em wake Daddy," Emma told her mother.

"Not now, sweetheart," Allison said, but Emma had already toddled over to Jon and leapt up on the sofa.

"Dada wake!" Emma climbed onto his chest. "Daddy!"

Caroline struggled out of Allison's grasp and joined her sister.

"Em?" Jon asked groggily. "What's going on?"

"Daddy home," Emma said happily.

Jon smiled as Emma leaned over and kissed his cheek. "Hi, baby girl."

"Dada," Emma laid down on top of him. "I miss you."

Jon felt a pang of guilt at all the time he'd missed over the past few weeks with his family. He hugged his younger daughter. "Daddy has missed you, too. All of his girls."

"Hey," Allison gave him a smile. "I was just going to start dinner."

"Hiya, Al," Jon said smiling back at her. He sat up with Emma and Caroline threw her arms around his neck.

"Daddy I missed you too," Caroline said. "A lot!"

"I missed you too, Angel Girl," he said with a laugh. He was glad that he didn't have to work tonight and he'd be able to spend the entire night with them.

"I was thinking I'd make vegetable soup tonight," Allison said, sitting down on the edge of the sofa.

"I love your vegetable soup," Jon said grinning at her.

"And maybe some grilled cheese for my little girls here," Allison tickled Emma. "Since that's their favourite thing to eat."

Emma giggled. "Peas?"

"You want some peas?" Jon teased her.

Emma shook her head. "No! Em not like!"

Caroline giggled. "She hates peas. So do I."

"Your daddy used to throw them at your Uncle Josh when he was little," Allison told them.

"Daddy you're silly," Caroline said.

"What else would you like to tell our girls from my checkered past?" Jon teased Allison.

"I bet Mummy knows lots of stories," Caroline said, her head on Jon's shoulder.

"I do," Allison said as Emma sat on her lap. "Whole bunch of stories...."

"Tell us one," Caroline begged.

Allison looked thoughtfully at her daughters trying to pick out a good story. "I could tell you about when he and I went swimming at Hillsdale."

"Al...." Jon said turning red. "Don't.....that was embarrassing!"

"It was adorable," Allison said grinning at him.

"Please tell us," Caroline said, giving them her best Maddie impression.

"Well," Allison said grinning at Caroline. "Your Daddy fancied me at the time, but I didn't know it. And he asked me one day if I'd like to go swimming with him in the lake."

"Daddy swim?" Emma asked, her little red ponytails bouncing.

"Yes," Jon said nodding.

"Well, we walked down the dock and I dove in first," Allison explained. "And your father thought he was going to impress me by doing this run and jump into the water..."

"Did he fall?" Caroline asked her eyes wide.

"He sort of slipped," Allison said with a laugh. "And did this belly flop into the lake..."

"Daddy hurt?" Emma asked, leaning against him.

"Just my pride," Jon said.

'And then you kept splashing me!" Allison said hitting Jon on the knee.

"You looked so cute," Jon grinned goofily at her.

"Awwww," Caroline said grinning at her parents.

"Dada funny," Emma said, clapping her hands. "Daddy love Mummy!"

"Yes he does," Jon said leaning forward to give his wife a kiss.

"I missed you today too," Allison said, squeezing his hand. "I'm glad you're home."

"And I'm not going anywhere," he said softly. "Tonight, it's just you and me and the girls. No clients. No lessons. Just us as a family."

"Yay," Caroline said happily. "Can we play a game after dinner?"

"What do you want to play?" Allison asked.

"Checkers," Caroline said.

"You're going down Caroline Weasley," Jon said picking her up. "Going down."

"Daddy!" Caroline laughed as Jon swung her around.

"Me too!" Emma said, sliding off the sofa. "Me too!"

Jon picked Emma up as well and swung them both around. Allison watched them with a dreamy smile on her face.

"I wish it was like this every night," she told her husband.

""Me too, Al," Jon said setting Emma and Caroline down. "I miss nights like this."

"Maybe you can get your client to let you have more evenings off," Allison suggested tentatively.

"Maybe," Jon said looking away.

"Come on, Em," Caroline said taking her sister's hand. "Let's go draw the picture for Daddy."

"Kay," Emma agreed. "Good picture Daddy!"

"I know it will be," Jon said watching them go.

Allison rubbed the back of her neck. "I'd better go start dinner," she said, about to get up when Jon pulled her close and kissed her hard.

"W-what was that for?" Allison asked breathlessly when they pulled apart.

"Just because I missed you," Jon said, his forehead touching hers. "I was thinking about you all day."

"I've been thinking about you, too," she said softly.

"Where did you three go today?" he asked.

"To Chiaki's," Allison replied. "The girls wanted to see Mas and Sukie. They're getting so big, Jon."

"I bet," Jon sighed. "I haven't seen them in ages now."

"Maybe we can have them all over some night," Allison suggested giving her husband another kiss. She laughed as he pulled the blanket around her. "How many nights have we spent wrapped up in this old blanket?"

"Many an evening," he smiled at her.

"Maybe after the girls are asleep, we can curl up under it," Allison said resting her head on his chest.

"Sounds like a plan to me," Jon kissed the side of her head.

"I should get started on dinner," she said.

"I'll give you a hand," Jon said, helping her up.

She decided not to mention him being around more. It would probably lead to a fight and she didn't want that; not tonight.

*** *** ***

Maddie helped her mother set the table and tried not to laugh at her father who kept sneaking bites of the sauce from the pot on the stove. Her parents were cooking dinner for her and Ethan and Harry and Hermione.

Ethan and Harry had to work late and wereto arrivewith Hermione any minute.

"Anything wrong, Mum?" Maddie asked noticing her mother seemed a little distracted.

"We received a letter from Hogwarts today," Luna replied. "R.J.'s marks have gone way down and apparently he's been sneaking out of the dorm after curfew."

"Why would he be sneaking out of the dorm?" Maddie asked, confused.

"I have no idea," Luna said shaking her head. "He hasn't written to us since he returned to school."

"That doesn't seem like him," Maddie frowned. "Maybe I should send him an owl."

"You could certainly try," Luna said.

"I just don't want him to screw things up after he's come so far," Ron said. "He's about to have everything he's ever wanted."

"He's as good as signed up with Puddlemere according to Frankie," Maddie said. "It'll be official once he's finished with school."

"If he finishes with school," Luna corrected. "Professor McGonagall said that he's in real danger of failing, Maddie."

"That's horrible," Maddie said softly, genuinely worried about her brother. "Maybe Saffy can tutor him or something to help him keep his marks up."

"I'm going to suggest that when I write to him," Luna said.

"Maybe he's sneaking out to go flying," Ron suggested. "What else would he need to sneak out for? His girlfriend's in Gryffindor."

"I hope he'll write back and tell us what's going on," Luna said, smacking Ron's hand away. "Ronald you're going to eat it all!"

"OW!" Ron squealed. "Luna! I was just tasting it to make sure it wasn't too spicy!"

"You've been tasting for the past half hour," Luna said.

"I never can get away with anything," Ron grumbled.

"Here Daddy," Maddie said, slipping him a piece of bread. "This might tide you over for about five minutes."

"Thank you, love," Ron whispered.

"Welcome," Maddie kissed his cheek before getting herself a glass of ice water.

"How are things at work, Maddie?" Luna asked.

"Everything's been going very well lately," Maddie said. "Especially since Parvati Patil has finally realised her place isn't the head honcho."

"Someone say something to her?" Luna asked. "She doesn't strike me as the type to just change over night."

"Lavender did, although neither woman would say what it was," Maddie shrugged. "I'm not going to question it. I'm just glad she's finally leaving us all alone."

"I had a feeling Lavender might find some way to get back at her for dancing with Seamus that night," Luna mused.

"Lav can be quite scary," Ron said. "I'm glad that I am on her good side."

"You should see the designs she's come up with for my dress," Maddie said to her mother. "They're absolutely gorgeous."

"Did you bring them with you?" Luna asked. "I'd love to see them."

"She has them with her," Maddie said. "But she owled me at work today and said she's coming over this weekend to show me some improved ones. I'll make sure you're with me."

"I still can't believe my little girl is getting married," Ron said putting an arm around his daughter.

"Make you feel old?" Maddie teased.

"No," he said with mock indignation.

"I bet," Maddie laughed.

"Mads?" Ethan called out from the sitting room. "We're here!"

"Ethan," Maddie's face lit up as she went to greet her fiancé and family.

"I'm sorry we're late," Ethan said his own face flushed from excitement. "Justin and I had our first big bust today. Maddie, it was the most incredible feeling!"

"You should be proud of him," Harry said looking at Maddie. "We'd been looking for those suspects for nearly two years."

"I am," Maddie hugged him. "Ethan that's fantastic!"

"It was amazing, Mads," Ethan said still grinning from ear to ear. "And it tied into that case that we were working on with Bree."

"Did it?" Maddie asked, finding his smile contagious. "I think that's wonderful. And I am so proud of you Ethan."

Ethan gave her a kiss. "I couldn't wait to tell you."

"I bet Lupin was really impressed," she said as Harry and Hermione went into the kitchen to greet Ron and Luna. "And I bet your father was really excited for you too."

"He was," Ethan said squeezing her hand. "Maddie, today was the first time that I felt he saw me as an equal, you know?"

"I know," she said, giving him another kiss. "Congratulations."

"Thanks," he said grinning at her. "So how was your day?"

"Good actually, but nowhere near as eventful as yours I'm afraid." Maddie said. "I was looking forward to tonight."

"Me too," Ethan said softly. "I really couldn't wait to see you and tell you what had happened. And it's great that we can get together with our folks."

Maddie hugged him again, closing her eyes as she rested her chin on his shoulder. "It really is," she said dreamily.

"Come on," Ethan said softly. "We'd better get into the kitchen before your parents think I'm being incredibly..."

"HE WHAT?" they heard Luna exclaim.

"I think they know what happened," Maddie giggled.

Ethan led the way into the kitchen, but by the looks on Luna and Ron's faces, it didn't seem like they were talking about him.

"Saffron wrote to us," Hermione was saying to Luna. "Apparently, he's broken things off with Alexa and is back with his ex, some girl named Christina."

"What?" Maddie asked in shock. "But I thought he was over the moon for Alexa!"

"According to Saffron, he's letting this girl attend their practises and he spends most of his time with her," Hermione said. "Saffy's not speaking to him."

"That's nothing new," Ethan said dryly. "She and R.J. are always cross with each other...."

"Ethan," Hermione said reprovingly.

"Sorry," Ethan said quietly.

Maddie remembered that vision she'd had at Christmas.

"Christina?" Ron asked. "That's the girl he was with a year ago, right? She's the one who kept checking her reflection in the spoons!"

"That's her," Maddie replied. "I just can't believe R.J. would want to go back to her. Apparently she's done some rather nasty things to them since they went back to school."

"What is going on in my son's head?" Luna asked. "This isn't like him, Ronald."

"He's a teenager Luna," Ron said. "I like Alexa very much, but they're bound to have their fights and break-ups."

"I know, but---" Luna protested.

"How about we just have a nice dinner and forget about this for one night?" Ron suggested. "We'll sort this out."

"Sounds good," Harry said. "Is there any food left or did Ron eat it all?"

"He certainly tried," Luna replied. "But there's plenty."

"And I hear congratulations are in order," Ron said shaking Ethan's hand. "Good job, Ethan!"

"Thanks," Ethan grinned at him. "Feels good to finally have something go right!"

"He's just being modest," Harry said proudly. "This was really big, Ethan James. You did a fantastic job."

Ethan smiled at his father, feeling prouder of himself than he had in ages. "Thanks Dad."

"Mister Big Shot Auror," Ron said. "What would you like to drink?"

"Have you got any beer?" Ethan asked.

"Do I have beer?" Ron asked with a laugh.

"We have beer," Luna nudged Ron in the arm.

"You want one too, Harry?" Ron asked heading for the icebox.

"Sure," Harry said. "Thanks mate."

"Drew and Darla stopped by the house the other day," Hermione said to Maddie. "They had some wonderful ideas about the ceremony."

"Great," Maddie smiled. "Thank you again for letting us use your house."

"Of course," Hermione said giving her a hug.

"We do need to officially decide on a date," Maddie said, looking at Ethan.

"So I'll know when to show up," Ethan said grinning at her.

"You'd better be there," Maddie nudged his foot with hers.

"I will," Ethan said quickly. "You know I will."

"We originally were thinking early summer, but the more I think about it, I'd like to get married in August." Maddie said. "I don't know why, but it just feels perfect."

"August?" Ethan asked. "You never told me that."

"Just a feeling I have," she smiled at him. "Is that all right with you?"

"If that's what you want, that's what I want," Ethan replied.

"Good boy Ethan," Harry teased him. "You already know to just agree."

Ethan laughed. "First lesson."

"How about the twenty eighth?" Luna suggested. "Right before the kids go back to school."

"I like that," Maddie said. "The twenty-eighth sounds perfect."

"We have our wedding date," Ethan grinned at his fiancée.

"I'm going to clear my schedule for that week," Hermione said.

"Me too," Luna agreed. "We'll take care of any last minute things that way."

Harry, Ethan and Ron stood back as the three women started discussing the wedding.

"It's funny how they seem to forget all about us when it comes to the planning," Harry commented.

"They're all like that," Ron agreed.

"You mean like you three are when you talk about Quidditch?" Hermione asked, her eyebrow raised.

"You---you weren't supposed to hear that," Ron said sheepishly.

"Foot in mouth syndrome," Harry said. "Ron's the best at it."

"You were the one who started it," Ron pointed out.

"You're the one who got overheard," Harry returned.

"I heard you, too," Hermione said folding her arms.

"I love you," Harry said, grinning at his wife.

"Nice try," Hermione said. "You're supposed to be setting a good example for your son."

"There's no one better for that than Dad," Ethan grinned too.

"But it's the truth," Ron protested. "You women get this look in your eyes when you talk about weddings and ceremonies and other nonsense like that...."

"I beg your pardon?" Luna asked raising an eyebrow at her husband. "Us women?"

"Er..." Ron grabbed another piece of bread and stuffed it into his mouth to keep from saying anything else.

"There's another lesson for you," Harry said to Ethan. "Know when to pick your battles..."

"I'm learning that one," Ethan said, sliding his arm back around Maddie. "Living with Mum has taught me well there."

"And having two sisters probably helped too," Maddie said leaning against him. "Julie and Saffy keep you on your toes."

"Especially Saffron," Ethan kissed the side of her head.

"Saffy's so much like Hermione it's practically scary," Ron commented.

"Scary?" Hermione asked. "Why would that be scary?"

Ron gulped. He didn't like the look on Hermione's face. "Well, um, she's sort of ...bossy, but in a good way, of course. And you're bossy. And well she's super smart to the point of being a....well know-it-all isn't really the best way to say it, but you two do seem to know it all, really. And she looks like you, but that's not scary or anything....."

Harry shook his head. "Ron I'd just put another piece of bread in your mouth and stop while you're ahead."

"No," Hermione said walking toward Ron. "I'd like to hear more...."

"Help," Ron squeaked, looking at his wife.

"You got yourself into this one," Luna said. "I need to check on the roast anyway."

"I'll help," Ron hightailed it over to the oven before Luna could stop him.

"He's so easy to tease," Hermione said with a grin. "I love scaring him."

"He is right on one thing," Ethan said. "Saf can be kind of scary."

Maddie laughed. "Especially when you're the target of her anger."

"It's usually me or R.J. that she's cross with," Ethan said laughing. At the mention of her brother, Maddie frowned.

"It's going to be okay, Maddie," Ethan reassured her. "It's going to sort itself out."

"I know," Maddie said. "But I just have this feeling that his troubles are only beginning."

"Perhaps Jules could talk to him, too?" Ethan suggested. "See if he'll confide in her?"

"That might be a good idea," Harry said.

"I'll ring her when I get home," Hermione said. "Let her know what's going on."

"I think this is about finished," Luna announced. "Ronald get your paws off it or there will be nothing left!"

Ron scowled at her. "Yes, sweetheart."

"See you're doing better already," Luna smiled and pecked him quickly on the lips. "You said the right thing."

"It's a miracle!" Harry teased.

"Sod off," Ron replied.

Luna laughed. "How about we all sit down? And Hermione, I haven't had the chance to really chat with you since you and Harry came back. You have to tell me all about the Swan Islands."

"Can you wait until Mads and I leave to talk about that?" Ethan joked.

"Ethan," Hermione said shaking her head. "Your father and I had a lovely time. That's all. I'm not going to scar you by sharing details."

"Thanks Mum," Ethan grinned. "I appreciate that more than you know."

"You're welcome," she said with a laugh. "We did have a lovely time, though. The weather was amazing and it didn't rain or get cloudy the entire time we were there. It really was paradise."

"Don't forget to tell them about your admirer," Harry said with only a trace of smarminess in his tone.

"Oooh," Luna teased. "An admirer?"

Hermione rolled her eyes. "There was this American businessman there who sort of took a shine to me."

"Wouldn't leave her alone," Harry added.

"Kept calling Harry 'Hank'," Hermione said shaking her head. "And even when I told him I was married, he kept at it."

"Bloody annoying it was," Harry replied.

"You certainly didn't help matters with your little freak sandstorm," Hermione pointed out.

"I told you I didn't do that on purpose," Harry said defensively. "He provoked me, Hermione."

"Yes well," Hermione waved her hand dismissively as they all sat down. "We didn't let him spoil our good time."

"We should do something like that," Luna said to Ron. "It's been ages since we went on holiday just the two of us."

"Where were you thinking of going?" Ron asked.

"Anywhere," Luna replied dreamily.

"Maybe to Italy," Ron said. "We could find some great Italian restaurants to eat in there. Or if we went to Mexico, we could eat all that great Mexican food there!"

Maddie laughed. "Daddy, you are priceless."

"Always thinking with your stomach," Harry added.

"Room service has its benefits too," Luna said winking at her husband.

"Yes it does," Ron's eyes lit up. "We could go anywhere and get anything!"

"At any time of the day, too," Luna said. "By the end of our honeymoon, we were on a first-name basis with the bellman. And the cook and wait staff, too. They loved Ronald."

Harry nearly choked on his salad at that.

"They were some of the nicest people you could ever want to meet," Ron said ignoring his best friend. "And that menu...."

"I think it was his favourite part of the honeymoon," Luna commented dryly.

"It was my second favourite," Ron said smiling at his wife.

"Another good answer," Luna grinned at him.

"I'm learning," Ron said grinning at her.

"Hey Mum," Ethan said, "I meant to ask you, how's Gran doing?"

"She has her good and bad days," Hermione replied. "But I did hire a nurse to stay with her. If that doesn't work out, we'll have to think about a home, but so far, so good."

"Good," Ethan said. "I thought perhaps Mads and I could stop by on our way home if it's not too late and tell her about what happened today."

"She would love that," Hermione said smiling at him. "She'll be so proud!"

"And we can tell her about setting a date as well," Maddie said, helping herself to another serving of roast beef.

"How's that dog of Saffy's doing?" Ron asked.

"Living up to his name," Harry responded.

"Oh no," Luna said.

"Reminds me of Paddington," Ron said fondly. "That dog would take a piss every time someone would ring the doorbell."

Maddie laughed. "I barely remember that dog," she said.

"Paddy was my baby," Luna said. "It nearly killed me when we had to put him to sleep."

"That was so sad," Hermione remembered. "But he was sick..."

"And then having to tell Josh and Jon," Luna said tearing up just thinking about it. "They loved him so much, too. Drew and Darla were torn up, too."

Ron patted her shoulder. "We could get another dog if you wanted," he said.

"I'd like that," Luna said nodding.

"And how's Blue these days?" Harry asked.

"He's more sociable," Maddie said. "I can take him out of the cage and he'll sit on my shoulder while I'm home."

"He loves Mads," Ethan said. "He's just not too crazy about me."

"He's warming up to you," Maddie said. "He just doesn't trust people yet."

"He likes Frankie and Will," Ethan pointed out. "And he adores your sisters."

"I'll talk to him when we get home," Maddie said, not noticing the amused looks her parents and Harry and Hermione were sharing. "Blue likes you just fine."

"Sure," Ethan said shaking his head. "He hates me and I'm the one who picked the bloody beast out."

"Ethan he doesn't hate you," Maddie insisted.

"He probably just hasn't had time to get used to you," Luna suggested. "Since you keep strange hours."

"I guess," Ethan replied. "Things will settle down a bit now that we've cracked that case."

"You'll be old friends soon," Maddie said resolutely.

"Hope so," Ethan squeezed her hand as she tried to steal a bite from his plate.

"Come on, Ethan," Maddie pouted.

"You have your own plate!" he laughed. "Mads!"

"Yours tastes so much better!" Maddie protested. "Come on!"

He shook his head but pushed his plate closer to her.

"That reminds me of how we used to be," Luna said turning to face her husband but seeing that he had his fork aimed at her plate. "Ronald!"

"It worked for her," Ron said with a grin.

"Give me a kiss and I'll think about it," Luna said leaning in.

Ron did as his wife said. "Please?" he asked. "Yours tastes better."

"Now I see where you got it from," Ethan teased.

Maddie grinned back. "I learn from the best."

*** *** ***

Since they were having the ball in just a little over a month, that weekend was an extra Hogsmeade weekend which gave all the students time to go down and find dress robes to wear if they didn't already have some. Saffron did but Alexa didn't, so she accompanied her friend into the village to buy a set.

She was hesitant to say anything about R.J. as she'd been doing her best to keep Alexa's mind off him. She knew that her friend was only going to the ball with Ewan as friends, but Saffron still hoped Alexa would have a good time.

"Have you thought about what colour you'd like?" Saffron asked her friend as they walked in the village.

"I don't know," Alexa said. "Maybe a light green or something."

"That colour has always looked fantastic on you," Saffron said leading her towards Lavender's shoppe. "Too bad my Aunt Lav's back in the States."

"No discount?" Alexa joked weakly.

"Probably not," Saffron said. As she opened the door, she groaned as she saw how packed the small shop was.

"Maybe we should come later," Alexa said.

Saffron shook her head. "Now's probably as good a time as any. Come on, Lex. We'll look in the back. It doesn't seem to be as crowded back there."

"All right," Alexa agreed. "Ooh, Saffy, look at the new robes in that collection named after you! They're so sweet!"

"Do you think we were ever this tiny?" Saffron said looking at the infant robes. "This is soooo cute!"

"We had to be at one point," Alexa giggled. "I think it's so cool she named this line after you."

"You would," a cold, familiar voice said from behind them. "Hello, Alexa. Hello, Potter."

Saffron turned around and narrowed her eyes. "Go away," she said rudely. "You're not wanted here."

Christina pulled an innocent face. "I'm just finding a new set of robes for the ball. You don't own this shoppe, Potter."

"My aunt doesn't want your business," Saffron said coolly.

"Let's just go, Saffy," Alexa said tugging on her arm.

"No," Christina said hastily. "I would love your opinion on something, Alexa. Which of these robes do you think R.J. would like best? The crimson red ones or the silver ones?"

"Get the hell out of here you bitch," Saffron snarled. "Before I hex the living daylights out of you. I know you're up to something with R.J.. And as soon as I figure out what you're going to regret it."

Christina laughed. "Come now, Saffron. He is your friend. I would think you would be happy that he's come back to his one, true love. I know how to keep him satisfied...unlike some people...."

"Let's just go Saffron," Alexa tugged at her friend's sleeve. "I don't want to get into it here okay?" she ignored the superior glance of the older girl.

It was only because of Alexa that Saffron relented. She wanted nothing more than to wipe that smug, self-satisfied smirk off of Christina's face. "Let's go and have lunch and we'll come back later, Lex."

"Right," Alexa said, relieved. "Thanks Saffy."

"Ta, girls!" Christina said with false cheeriness.

Saffron's fists clenched as she followed Alexa out of the shoppe. "I hate that girl!"

"But R.J. loves her," Alexa said miserably.

"No, he doesn't," Saffron said firmly. "I might not know what's going on in that head of his, but I know he does not love her. There's no way. She's reprehensible!"

Alexa sighed. "I've been trying not to think about him but I miss him so much Saffy. And every time I see her it makes me think that I should have been... maybe I should have been more forthcoming with some things."

"Like what?" Saffron asked sitting down with Alexa on a bench.

"Like... I never really took the initiative when we were... doing things." Alexa began. "I always let him take the lead."

"Lex--" Saffron said.

"I should have let him do more," Alexa wiped her eyes.

"You weren't ready," Saffron said gently. "And if he doesn't love you enough to wait, then he doesn't deserve you. Alexa, I am not going to let you sit here and blame yourself for this. You did nothing wrong here."

Alexa simply shrugged in reply.

"She's up to something," Saffron said. "You and I both know it. She did something to make him act this way. And I'm going to find out what it is, Lex."

"Maybe it's just not meant to be this way for me and R.J.," Alexa said. "I mean, it was fun, but obviously--"

"Jules talked to him, but she can't tell me what he said," Saffron said quietly. "I begged and pleaded but she said it wasn't something she could talk about with me. She just said he didn't seem like himself."

Alexa didn't want to talk about this anymore. "Come on," she said, "Let's go have lunch and then we'll get my robes."

"Okay," Saffron said. "Can you give me just a few minutes? I need to run to the post office really quick. Wait for me here?"

"Sure," Alexa agreed.

"I'll be right back," Saffron promised.

Alexa pulled her cloak tightly around her as she waited.

She'd closed her eyes for a moment, just breathing in the fresh air when approaching footsteps made her look up again.

"Hi," R.J. said nervously. He'd spotted her when he'd walked out of Honeydukes.

96. Ch 96

Tuesday’s chapter will hold the conclusion to the ‘Hogwarts drama’ with Christina- today’s deals with the rest of the scene from last chapter and then we get some time with the kids- Caroline, Katie, Mia, Emma. Hope you all enjoy it and please review!

Alexa stared at him for a moment. "I think your girlfriend is in the shoppe over there," she replied coolly.

R.J. nodded. "I just bought her some fudge, actually. It's her favourite."

Alexa rolled her eyes. "That's really fantastic," she choked out.

"How---how have you been?" he asked tentatively.

"Do you even care?" Alexa asked sharply.

"I do," R.J. said honestly sitting down beside her. "I've been trying not to think about you, Lex. It hasn't worked."

"Well you certainly seem to keep yourself busy," Alexa moved down the bench away from him.

"You're really going to the dance with that bloke?" R.J. asked. "What's his name?"

Alexa stared straight ahead. "Ewan. And yes, I am going with him. It's not as if I had any other options."

R.J. winced as he felt a sharp pain in his head. This had been happening quite a bit lately and he couldn't understand why.

"I have to go," Alexa said standing up.

"Wait," he said touching her arm. "Please..."

"What?" she yanked her arm away, his touch feeling like fire.

"I---I need you," R.J. said standing up as well. As soon as he did, he felt dizzy. "Lex---"

A frown creased her eyebrows. "R.J.?" she asked uncertainly. "Are you all right?"

"It's my head," he said weakly. "Lex, it hurts...."

"R.J.!" she exclaimed as he stumbled a bit.

"I think I need to sit back down," he said quietly.

Despite what had happened between them since they'd gotten back to school, Alexa was worried about him. "Can I help you somehow?" she asked, biting her lip.

"Can you stay with me?" he asked weakly as he sat back down on the bench. "Just until I feel better?"

"I um... I suppose," she agreed quietly.

"Thanks," he said putting his head in his hands.

She sat awkwardly beside him, almost wishing Saffron would come back.

"They usually don't last very long," he said sitting up and looking at her. "I've been getting these headaches for a few days now."

"Maybe you should see Madam Pomfrey," Alexa suggested.

"Maybe," R.J. said thoughtfully. "I remember that time I was holed up with her for four days at the end of last year. You---you snuck me food from the kitchens."

"Yeah," Alexa said with a tiny smile on her face.

"And you called me a big baby when I asked you to feed it to me," R.J. said a smile playing on his lips.

"I remember that," Alexa said in a faraway tone.

"I'm sorry, Lex," R.J. said looking into her eyes. "So sorry."

"Don't say that," she looked the other way.

"Why not?" R.J. asked inching close to her on the bench. "Its how I feel."

"It's quite obvious how you feel these days," Alexa said, wishing she hadn't agreed to sit with him.

"I'm glad you're so sure," R.J. said softly reaching out to touch her cheek.

"R.J. don't," she said, her voice shaking.

"Don't what," he said inching his face closer to hers. He didn't know what exactly he was doing, but this felt right. This felt more right than anything had in weeks.

"You're with her now," Alexa said, trying to back away. "Not me."

He pressed his lips lightly to hers and was relieved when she didn't pull away.

Alexa knew she shouldn't be doing this but she had missed kissing him.

"JUNIOR!"

Alexa pulled away like she'd been shot. R.J. gazed at her for a few more moments before turning to look at Christina, who was storming towards them.

"What's going on here?" Christina demanded.

“Nothing,” Alexa stood up fast. “I…I have to go…” with one last look at R.J. she turned and practically ran in the direction of the post office.

"What were you doing with her?" Christina demanded. "And why do you look so pale?"

"My head hurts," R.J. said. "I don't know what's wrong with me Chris..."

Christina felt a small pang of guilt, but quickly dismissed it. She'd known about the side effects of the potion she'd used, but she figured it wouldn't be that big a deal. For the most part, it hadn't. But, he had been complaining about his head for a few days now. Then again, it wasn't working all that well if he was snogging his ex-girlfriend on a bench for everyone to see!

"Let's get you back to the castle," Christina said sitting down beside him. "You just need some rest."

"All right," he said, in no mood to argue. "Oh I bought you some of that fudge you like."

"You're so sweet," she said giving him a quick kiss. "Thank you, Junior."

"Welcome," he mumbled, closing his eyes as another pang made him wince.

Christina put an arm around him and together they both slowly made their way back to the castle.

Saffron was walking out of the post office when Alexa practically tackled her. Her cheeks were red and her eyes were puffy. "Lex? What's wrong?"

"Saffy I hate this!" she said, hugging her friend. "I'm so bloody confused!"

"What?" Saffron asked. "Lex, you're scaring me. What's happened?"

In between shudders, she spilled out what R.J. had said. "And then we kissed..."

"You kissed?" Saffron asked taken aback. "Lex...you know what this means, don't you?"

"I don't know what any of this means," Alexa wiped her red eyes.

A smile broke across Saffron's face. "He still loves you. Whatever Christina's doing isn't very strong because deep down, he knows that he still has feelings for you!"

Alexa shook her head. "Soon as she came over he pulled away."

"That doesn't matter," Saffron said. "Come on. We're going to buy you a new set of robes and then we're going back to the castle to find out everything we can about love potions and love spells...."

Alexa didn't have the will to tell her friend no.

"We'll get Andrew and Jason to help us too," Saffron said determinedly. "That Ravenclaw is going down."

"I'm sorry I threw myself on you like that," Alexa told her friend. "You've been really good to me since all this started Saffy."

"You are my best friend," Saffron said squeezing her hand. "You've been there for me when I needed you and I'm going to do the same for you."

"Thanks," Alexa hugged her impetuously. "I'm so glad you're my best friend."

"Me too," Saffron said hugging her back. "Let's go and get your robes so we can get back to the castle, okay?"

"We'll pick out some really pretty ones," Alexa said, feeling encouraged.

"You bet we will," Saffron said smiling at her friend.

Within an hour, she and Alexa had picked out a set of pretty light green dress robes for Alexa and some accessories.

"We should probably see what we can figure out from her friend Monica, too," Saffron told Alexa. "She seems nice and I don't think she's faking."

"She's pretty stoked on Jason," Alexa said as they found an empty carriage to go back to the castle in. "I don’t' think she wants to risk it with him."

"She should be willing to talk to us," Saffron said settling back in her seat. "And R.J. told you he'd been having these headaches for some time now?"

"Yeah," Alexa nodded. "He said for a few days."

Saffron pulled a small notebook and pencil from her bag and began making notes. "And he told you he felt dizzy?"

"He couldn't stand up," Alexa said, biting her lower lip. "He looked really pale too."

Saffron wrote all this down. "Okay, all this started pretty much when we got back to school. That's nearly four weeks now."

"Something like that," Alexa said softly.

"I remember reading about love potions," Saffron said thoughtfully. "It doesn't cause the person who drinks it to fall in love with you because it's impossible to manufacture or imitate love. It just makes the drinker become infatuated with that person and it can turn into an obsession."

"R.J. has been acting sort of obsessed," Alexa said hopefully.

"Exactly," Saffron said nodding. "He's talking about her all the time and he's letting her come to our practices which is not something the Ronnie Junior you know and love would allow anyone else to do."

"What do we do if we can prove she's got him under a love potion?" Alexa asked.

"We'll need to catch her in the act," Saffron said. "Because if R.J.'s obsessed with her, he won't believe us if we just come right out and tell him. We'll need to watch her like a hawk. Especially in the Great Hall."

"Okay," Alexa nodded. "I wonder if Monica knows about this."

"We can certainly find out," Saffron said. "Or at least try."

"Maybe she can help us," Alexa suggested.

"I think she's our best shot," Saffron said. "She's the closest to Christina. And maybe...maybe I can talk to Peter, too. She did break things off with him."

"Do you think he would help?" Alexa asked. "I mean... the two of you really don't talk or anything..."

"I imagine he's not one of Christina's biggest fans right about now," Saffron said. "We can use that to our advantage. And he said he wanted us to try and remain friends. I can at least try to talk to him, Lex."

"You'd really do that?" Alexa asked. "You don't think Andrew will mind?"

"I'll ask him if he's okay with it first," Saffron said. "And maybe you can come with me when I try and talk to him."

Alexa nodded. "Thanks again Saffy."

"I just hope we won't be too late," Saffron said. She didn't like hearing about R.J. having headaches and dizzy spells. That couldn't be good. And there was the chance that Christina might up the dosages if she suspected they weren't strong enough.

"I hope not too," Alexa stared out the window.

"So," Saffron said. "How was it? Kissing him again?"

"Like it always was," Alexa said. "Sweet... and familiar..."

"He still loves you, Lex," Saffron said smiling at her.

"I miss him Saffy," Alexa replied.

"I know you do," Saffron said sympathetically. "I miss him, too. Believe it or not."

"Maybe if you started talking to him again you could find out more," Alexa said.

"I'll give it a try, but he's not even really talking to Andrew," Saffron said with a frown. "Except for that one night after the house meeting. Andrew said R.J. was acting really strange. He kept telling him he didn't know what he was doing or why he was doing the things he was."

"Maybe she's got him under a Confundus Charm as well," Alexa replied.

"I wouldn't put it past her," Saffron said with a hollow laugh. "We'd better figure this out before she ruins his life completely. I know his marks have gone down."

Alexa nodded. "I'll help any way I can."

"The first thing we need to do is talk to Monica," Saffron said. "I don't remember seeing her in Hogsmeade. Do you?"

Alexa shook her head. "But we really didn't go around anywhere except the dress shop."

"I think I remember hearing Jason say something about the two of them staying in," Saffron said.

"I'm sure they'll be in the library then, or the Astronomy Tower." Alexa said.

"Okay," Saffron said looking out the window and seeing the castle. "How about you go and check out any book you can in the library about love potions. I'll try and find Monica and then we'll meet back in our room?"

Alexa smiled genuinely for the first time that day. "Sounds like a plan to me."

"Try looking in the Restricted Section," Saffron suggested.

"I'll see if I can get in there," Alexa promised.

Saffron suggested some other books that might be of help before getting out of the carriage and practically running into the castle. She didn't find Jason or Monica in the library, but did catch up with them in the Astronomy Tower.

"Hi Saf," Jason said warmly. "I thought you were in Hogsmeade."

"We were," Saffron said. "I wonder if I could have a word with you both."

"Sure," Jason said. "What's on your mind?"

"It's about R.J. and that... Christina." Saffron looked at Monica. "I know she's your best friend and all... but I was hoping you could help us."

Monica paled. "Help...help you with what exactly?"

Saffron bit her lower lip. "Does Christina know anything about love potions?"

Monica shook her head. "Not that I'm aware of, but potions is her best subject."

"Well," Saffron began. "Just hear me out..." she explained to them what her thoughts were and what Alexa had told her. "She's down there in the library right now researching love potions."

"He has been getting these bad headaches," Jason said. "He was a wreck last night."

Monica hadn't known about this. "Saffy, I---"

"I don't blame you Monica," Saffron interrupted.

"I don't know what's going on with her lately," Monica said truthfully. "She's not talking to me like she used to. Everything's about R.J. these days where she's concerned. It all started a few weeks ago when she and I were coming out of the dorm and R.J. came over to us. He just grabbed her and kept saying how he didn't want her to ever go away from him again or some rubbish like that. And Chris didn't seem surprised. It was almost like she expected it."

Saffron's eyes narrowed. "If she's using a love potion she must have slipped it into his drink that day she was sitting with the Gryffindors. Everything started after that."

"I can't believe Chris would go that far, Saffy," Monica said. "I know she's done some things in the past, but---"

"This is the lowest," Saffron finished. Jason nodded his agreement.

"What do you want us to do?" Monica asked. "I'd like to help."

"Just let us know what she's up to in the dormitory," Saffron said. "And let us know if she slips anything into R.J.'s drink."

Monica nodded. She wasn't thrilled about betraying her best friend, but if Christina was doing this, she had no other choice. "I will," she promised.

Jason reached for her hand. "That's good of you Mon," he said. "I'll help too."

"Thank you both," Saffron said. "I'll be in touch, okay?"

She descended the staircase eager to share this news with Alexa. As luck would have it, she heard voices in the corridor and she ducked behind a pillar.

"You don't think I should go see Pomfrey?" she could hear R.J. asking Christina.

"Of course not Junior," Christina replied. "You said your headache was gone didn't you?"

"I said it felt better," R.J. answered. "But it still hurts. Maybe it would be a good idea for her to check it out; put my mind at ease."

"I'm sure you'll be just fine," Christina said quickly. "Maybe I can take care of you," she wound her arms around him. Saffron positively wanted to gag when she saw this.

"Come on, Lex," R.J. said shrugging out of her embrace. "Go with me to the hospital wing and then we'll go and relax in the common room."

If Christina was put off by R.J. calling her by another girl's name, she certainly didn't say anything to correct him.

Saffron smirked as she watched them go. It was growing more obvious by the minute. R.J. was still in love with Alexa, but completely infatuated by Christina due to a potion. And Saffron intended to prove this.

*** *** ***

Ashley sighed and gave her father an exasperated look. They were meeting Frankie, Will and Caroline in the park for ice skating. Emma was supposed to come too, but the little girl had caught a cold and wouldn't be able to make it.

"We're just going to the park," Ashley grumbled to her father. "Why does she have to spend all morning getting ready?"

Nick didn't want to tell his oldest that Katie was getting a stern talking to from Julie about being on her best behaviour since Mia would be joining them.

"Don't worry about it Ash," Nick said. "Why don't you go help Greta with the hot chocolate we're taking with us."

"Okay, Daddy," Ashley said getting up to go into the kitchen.

Upstairs, Julie sighed and wonder if Katie had heard one word she'd said.

"Mummy?" Katie asked her mother. "Do you think I should wear the purple jumper or the pink one? The purple is warmer, but the pink one is prettier."

"I would wear the purple," she said. "Katherine Rose, you did hear what I told you right?"

"Yes," Katie said turning her back to roll her eyes. "I'll be nice to Mia."

"Katie," Julie said warningly.

"I don't even see why she has to go, Mummy," Katie argued. "She's Will's niece. She doesn't even know Ashley and me all that well. And she's always rubbing my face in the fact that she and Caroline are friends."

"She does nothing of the sort," Julie said firmly. "Mia and Caroline are cousins and they have fun together. And Caroline has other friends, just as you do."

"Caroline's my bestest friend," Katie said pulling on her purple jumper. "And none of my friends treat her bad."

"Which is why you shouldn't treat her friends badly," Julie replied. "Be my sweet girl today Katie."

"Okay," Katie said giving her mother a hug. "I'm glad you're here, Mummy. I miss you when you're at Hogwarts."

"I miss you too," Julie kissed the top of her daughter's brown head. "I think about you and Ashley all the time while I'm there."

"Auntie Saffy says you're the best teacher," Katie said smiling at her mother.

"I hope they think that," Julie laughed. "Maybe I'll stay on for more than one term."

"I hope so too," Katie said. "I want you to be there when I go."

"Come ON!" Ashley's voice floated up the stairs. "I want to skate!"

"Put your trainers on sweetheart," Julie said to Katie. "And don't forget your gloves."

"Okay," Katie said as her mother left the room.

"How'd it go?" Nick whispered to his wife as she joined him downstairs.

"I think she got the point," Julie said. "At least I hope..."

Greta came out of the kitchen carrying a basket. "I've packed some hot chocolate, biscuits and muffins in here for you."

"Thanks Greta," Nick said smiling at her. "Have I told you lately how fabulous you are?"

"Of course you have," Greta smiled back at him.

"Thanks, Greta," Ashley said giving her a hug. "I wish you could come with us."

Greta laughed. "I'll stay here and have a nice relaxing afternoon. Otherwise I'd be laid up with a twisted ankle."

"This will be like a day off for her," Nick said. "A well-deserved one at that."

Julie smiled at Greta. "Enjoy it while it lasts," she teased.

"I intend to," Greta said.

"Finally," Ashley said as Katie came downstairs. "It took you long enough!"

"I had to get ready," Katie glared at her sister. "And I look better than you! You have paint on your face!"

Ashley wiped at her face. "Did I get it, Mum?"

"I don't see any paint sweetheart," Julie replied.

"Good," Ashley said choosing to ignore Katie. "Are we ready to go?"

"I'm ready," Nick held up the basket, a biscuit in his hand.

Julie laughed. "I knew you'd have your hands in that basket before we walked out the door!"

"Can you blame me?" Nick asked.

Julie shook her head. "Let's go."

They reached the park quickly and the girls were lacing up ice skates when Will, Frankie, Caroline and Mia arrived.

"Sorry we're late," Frankie apologised. "Emma didn't want us to go. She was trying to get Allie to change her mind."

"Poor kid," Julie said. "She's at that age where she doesn't want to get kept out of anything."

"We had to promise her that next time she's definitely going," Frankie said. "She's running a fever, too. It was the most pitiful sight."

"We'll try and save a few of these biscuits Greta made," Julie pulled the basket away from her husband. "And you can take them to her."

"She'll love that," Frankie said. "Thanks, Jules."

"Need some help getting into your skates, Princess?" Will asked Caroline.

"Okay," Caroline grinned and blushed as Will kneeled in front of her.

"The Royal Skates," Will said dramatically holding them up. "Fit for a princess."

"Uncle Will," Caroline giggled.

"What cute little cloaks you two have on," Julie said looking at Mia and Caroline. "And matching hats!"

"Aunt Frankie bought them for us," Mia said.

"They're so cute!" Ashley gushed.

"I couldn't resist," Frankie said grinning at her nieces. "And those gloves come with a heating charm."

"How perfect on a day like this," Julie said, helping Katie with her skates.

"My gloves are hand-me-downs from Ashley," Katie said softly.

"They're good gloves sweetheart," Julie said. "You've always liked them."

"I know," Katie said nodding.

"You begged me to let you have them," Ashley reminded her.

"I know," Katie said sharply.

"How about we get on the ice?" Julie suggested. "Do you need me to help you, Katie?"

Katie shook her head. "I'll be fine."

"I should be okay too," Ashley stood up and wobbled only a little. "Watch me Daddy!"

"I will," Nick promised. "Steady, Ash."

"I know," Ashley said, holding her arms out to balance herself.

"Good girl," Nick said grinning at her.

Mia finished lacing up her skates with Frankie's help. "Thanks, Aunt Frankie."

"You're welcome love," Frankie smiled at her. "Now get on out there!"

"Come on Caroline," Mia said wobbling a little as she stood up.

"Coming," Caroline said. "Thank you Uncle Will. You do the best job at this."

"Nothing but the best for the princess," Will said bowing at her.

Caroline blushed again. "Let's go Mia," she said, giving Will a shy smile.

"You're going to have to hold my hand," Mia said giggling. "I'm not very good at this."

"I'm okay at it," Caroline said. "Come on Katie!" she called. "Let's go out all at once!"

Katie could feel her mother watching her as she took Caroline's hand. "Okay."

"We can't let go!" Caroline giggled. "Or we'll fall under the ice!"

"And the handsome prince would have to rescue us!" Mia said squealing as they dodged some other skaters.

"What handsome prince?" Katie asked, rolling her eyes.

"Um," Mia said trying to think. "Someone talk, dark, and handsome!"

"Like Uncle Will," Caroline giggled.

Mia laughed and they all three watched as Ashley skated past them.

"Your sister is really great at this," Mia said admiringly. "I wish I was that good!"

"She's okay," Katie shrugged. "I bet she falls."

"Katie's really good too," Caroline said loyally. "Way better than me."

"She is," Mia said. "Maybe you can give us a lesson Katie."

Katie smiled at this. "Well you need to look straight ahead. You shouldn't look at your feet."

"Okay," Mia said. "What else?"

"And then you just glide around the ice," Katie said letting go of Caroline's hand to demonstrate. "I just imagine I'm floating."

"Don't let go!" Caroline squealed.

"If you let go, we won't know what to do!" Mia said laughing. "Come back, Katie!"

Katie smiled to herself and skated further away. Let them figure out what to do next, she thought.

"Ashley!" Caroline called out to the older girl. "Help us!"

Ashley turned and glided back over to them. "Where did Katie go?"

"She skated away," Caroline said pointing with her free hand.

Ashley shook her head. "Come on, take my hands." she held them out to both Mia and Caroline. "I'll show you both a trick or two all right?"

"Thanks, Ash," Caroline said gratefully. "We want to be as good as this as you."

Ashley smiled. "I'm not that great," she said.

"You're the best I've ever seen," Mia said. "Honestly!"

"Thanks Mia," Ashley said to the younger girl. "You're not bad either. It's just a matter of keeping your balance."

"Would you two like a cup of hot chocolate?" Nick asked Frankie and Will. "Before we head on out there to make fools of ourselves?"

"That sounds great," Will said. "Thanks."

"How's married life treating you?" Julie asked Frankie.

"Fantastic," Frankie said with a grin. "Will's the best."

"And I didn't have to pay her to say that either," Will said grinning at her.

Frankie gave her husband a kiss. "You can owe me later." she teased.

"Mum tells me Ethan and Maddie finally set a date," Julie said.

"They did," Frankie nodded. "August 28th. Maddie's so excited- she came over with Ethan that same night and she couldn't stop jumping up and down."

"He was just as excited," Will said. "He couldn't stop talking about that big case."

"I'm so happy he finally got a break like that," Julie said. "He's been working so hard with Justin and Bree on that case."

"He deserves it," Frankie agreed. "And I'm sure your mum and dad were over the moon about it."

"Oh they are, definitely." Julie said. "I think Dad was especially proud though- since Ethan's sort of following in his footsteps and all."

"I've always wanted to ask him about that," Will said. "Has he always wanted to do that? Your dad didn't try and push him into it?"

"Ever since he was a kid," Julie said. "He's idolised Dad. And he's always wanted to do everything our father did."

"Maybe you and Frankie will have a future textbook writer," Nick teased. "Someday."

"Not for awhile yet," Frankie replied.

"I did say someday," Nick reminded her.

"I heard you Malfoy," Frankie said.

"Just making sure," Nick said mussing her hair. "Do you know Chi told me you used to have a poster of me in your bedroom when you were younger. Is that true?"

"It wasn't a poster," Frankie said defensively. "It was just a picture from Witch Weekly."

"Do you still have it?" Nick asked trying to keep a straight face. "I could autograph it for you..."

"Sod off," Frankie said. "I was about twelve when I thought you were cute."

"You don't think I'm cute anymore?" Nick asked pouting at her. "Come on, Barron. I'm still dead sexy."

"I like dark haired guys better," Frankie leaned against her husband.

"Good answer sweetheart!" Will said tickling her side.

Frankie laughed. "Come on William."

"We going to give this a go?" Will asked.

"We're certainly going to try," Frankie said.

"Come on Jules," Nick said. "Let's give it a try too."

"I'm not so sure," Julie said. "My feet don't exactly go the way I want them to on ice."

"If we fall, we'll fall together," Nick said taking her hand.

"All right," Julie said. "Only you could get me to do this you know."

"You say that about loads of things," Nick teased.

"This being one of them," Julie replied.

Nick led her onto the ice and had to grab onto her as she nearly stumbled. "Come on, twinkle toes. We're barely on the ice."

"I told you I'm no good at this," Julie said to her husband.

"You're doing fine," Nick said. "Just imagine you're dancing."

"That I can do," Julie gripped his hand.

"There you go, Jules," Nick said leading her. "You're better than you thought."

"I guess this isn't so bad," Julie still held onto him closely.

"Gives you an excuse to hold onto me," Nick said in her ear.

"That definitely isn't so bad," she smiled at him.

Nick felt someone tugging on his coat and he looked down to see Katie.

"Can I skate with you?" she asked.

"Sure sweetheart," he said. "But why aren't you with Caroline?"

"Just because," Katie said taking her father's hand. Julie looked to see where Caroline and Mia were skating with Ashley.

"I thought you wanted to skate with her," Julie said to her daughter.

"I did," Katie said. "But now I want to skate with you and Daddy."

"We're happy to have you skate with us," Nick said, taking Katie's little hand in his.

"Can you twirl me around, Daddy?" Katie asked. "I love it when you do that!"

"Why don't you let me get my grip on something first," Julie said, laughing. "Katie your mum's a bit hopeless out here."

"Okay, Mummy," Katie said. "But you're not that bad."

"Thanks sweetheart." Julie replied.

"You're not getting out of this that easily," Nick said as he led Julie back to where they'd started. "I'll be back for you."

"Maybe I'll run and hide," she joked.

"Be brave, Jules," Nick said giving her a kiss.

"Go have fun," Julie said. "I want to watch for awhile."

"Come on, Katherine Rose," Nick said picking her up. "Let's impress your mum."

Katie giggled. "Okay," she said. "Twirl me Daddy!"

Nick did as she asked and smiled as Katie giggled even harder. "Want to go faster?" he asked.

"Yes!" she said, laughing. "Please Daddy!"

Julie watched her husband and daughter as they skated. She couldn't remember the last time she'd seen Katie so happy.

"Ariana!" a younger girl squealed beside Julie. "Look! I told you that was Nick Malfoy!"

"It is!" the other girl breathed. "What's he doing here?"

"I don't know," the girl said to her friend. "Isn't he dreamy?"

Julie hid her smile as Nick continued to twirl Katie around.

"I wish I'd brought my camera," Ariana said frowning.

"We should ask him for an autograph at least," her friend said.

"I couldn't!" Ariana said. "I'd die!"

"He's quite nice," Julie finally turned and smiled at the girls. "I'm sure he'd sign something for you."

"You think so?" Ariana asked hopefully. "How do you know him?"

"Oh my God!" her friend said grinning at Julie. "You're Julie Malfoy. You're his wife!"

"It's nice to meet you," Julie laughed.

"Can we have your autograph too?" Ariana asked.

"You want mine too?" Julie asked in surprise.

"Yes," Ariana said scrabbling in her bag for a piece of paper. "This is soooo cool."

"Sure," Julie said. "Let me have Nick come over here and meet you girls."

Julie waved at her husband and daughter motioning for them to come and join her.

"What's up Jules?" Nick asked, Katie's hand in his as they skated closer.

"I'd like you to meet Ariana and---" Julie said turning to the other girl.

"Michaela," she choked out.

"Ariana and Michaela," Julie said smiling at them. "Two of your biggest fans."

"Hello girls," Nick grinned at them. "It's very nice to meet you."

"It's meet to nice you," Michaela said blushing.

"You ladies live around here?" Nick asked after shaking their hands.

"A couple of streets over," Ariana said. "We've got all your CDs."

"Even some of your earlier stuff," Michaela chimed in.

"Well thank you," Nick grinned at them again after scrawling his name on Ariana's notepad.

"You've just made my life," Ariana said. "Thank you, Mr. Malfoy."

"Call me Nick," he said winking at her.

Ariana grabbed hold of Michaela's arm and the two girls skated off chattering excitedly to each other.

"Daddy girls act so silly around you," Katie said.

"They even wanted my autograph," Julie said with a laugh.

Nick laughed. "You want to go out there again Katie?" he asked. "Or did you want to try and find Caroline?"

"Here they come," Julie said just as Ashley, Katie and Mia skated toward them.

"Katie!" Caroline said breathlessly. "We missed you!"

"You did?" Katie asked.

Caroline nodded. "Do you want to skate with me?"

Mia sat down beside Julie. "I'm going to take a break."

"Same here," Nick sat down. "You go have fun with Caroline sweetheart."

"Okay," Katie said eagerly taking Caroline's hand. "I'm going to show you this really cool trick!"

"Yay," Caroline said happily. "I was waiting to skate with you all day!"

Katie took Caroline's hand and couldn't resist shooting a triumphant look at Mia.

Mia scuffed her foot along the ice, pretending not to notice Katie's glare.

"Do you want a biscuit or a muffin, sweetheart?" Julie asked the little girl.

"Yes please," Mia said politely. "Do you have chocolate?"

"We do," Julie said reaching into the basket and handing Mia a chocolate biscuit. "Those are my favourite, too."

"These are yummy," Mia said. "Did you make them Mrs. Malfoy?"

"You can call me Julie," Julie told her. "And no, I didn't. Katie and Ashley's nanny Greta made them."

"Okay, Julie," Mia said shyly. "Thank you- these are really good."

"You're welcome," Julie said smiling at Mia. "And you did quite well skating. Much better than me, I might add."

Mia giggled. "My mummy told me just to pretend I'm dancing with different shoes on."

"That's a good way to look at it," Julie said laughing. "Maybe that might help me out."

"I think you're beyond help," Nick teased her.

"Well you didn't marry me for my skating ability, I hope," Julie said nudging him.

"No there were a few other things," Nick grinned. "Mia- would you like some hot chocolate to go with those biscuits?"

"That would be great, Mr. Malfoy," Mia said politely. "Thank you."

"Should warm you up," Nick smiled at her.

"And I heard you have a big night coming up," Julie said. "My Aunt Cho told me you have a recital, right?"

Mia nodded. "Me and Caroline are dancing with Katie's class."

"Katie's really excited about it," Julie said.

"She's a really good dancer," Mia said.

"She gets that from her mother," Nick said. "Not from me."

"Have you got any more of that hot chocolate?" Will skated up by them. "I'm bloody freezing!"

"Your trousers are all wet," Julie said. "Did you fall?"

"Did he fall?" Frankie asked joining them. "He did and it was not pretty."

"Thanks Frankie," Will said, sitting next to his niece. "Could it be due to the fact you wouldn't let go of my arm while you were sliding down into the splits?"

"I don't know what you're talking about," Frankie said sitting down beside Julie.

Will snorted. "How come you're sitting around here?" he asked his young niece.

Mia shrugged. "I knew Katie wanted to skate with Caroline and I was a little cold..."

"That was nice of you," Frankie smiled at her. "Maybe you'll come out with Will and me once you're rested up a bit."

Mia nodded. "I'd like that."

On the ice, Caroline clapped as Katie spun around. "That was brilliant, Katie!"

"You can do it too Caroline," Katie replied. "Just like this."

Caroline giggled as she tried to imitate Katie's spin. "How was that?"

"Pretty good," Katie replied. "Try it again but keep your feet apart a little more."

Caroline again attempted the spin and this time did it nearly as perfect as Katie. "How was that?"

"Much better," Katie grinned at her.

"Thanks," Caroline said taking Katie's hand and they skated past Frankie, Will, Nick, Julie and Mia. Caroline waved at Mia, but Katie just smirked at the other girl.

"Caroline," Katie said once they were going back around. "Am I your bestest friend in the world?"

Caroline nodded. "My bestest friend in the whole wide world."

"And I'm your only bestest friend?" Katie asked.

Caroline looked sideways at Katie. "Well, Mia's my best friend, too."

"But what if you could only have one best friend?" Katie asked craftily.

"And no one else?" Caroline asked frowning.

"Only one," Katie said, coming to a stop against a railing.

"Well," Caroline said biting her lip. "If I had to choose, I'd pick you."

Katie beamed. "Okay," she said happily.

"Because I've known you longest," Caroline said as they started to skate again.

That made the self satisfied grin fall from Katie's face. "Oh..." she said, her tone going flat.

"And you're like a sister to me," Caroline said truthfully not wanting her friend to be angry or hurt.

Katie only nodded, her eyes narrowing as she saw Mia come back onto the ice with Will and Frankie.

"I suppose you want to go and skate with her now," Katie couldn't stop herself from saying to Caroline.

"What?" Caroline asked, following her gaze. "I didn't even know she was back out here Katie."

"Right," Katie said letting go of Caroline's hand. "I'm going to get some hot chocolate."

"Wait!" Caroline flailed, trying to keep her balance. "Katie I can't skate by myself!" she pitched forward.

Katie ignored her and skated off.

Will saw his niece fall and skated quickly over to her.

"Ow!" Caroline said tears falling down her cheeks. "It hurts!"

"Come here princess," Will easily lifted her up. "Let's see where you got hurt all right?"

Caroline nodded and sobbed into his shoulder.

"Shhhh..." Will kissed the side of her head. "You'll be all right." he sat her down on the bench.

"What happened?" Julie asked.

"We were skating and I fell," Caroline bawled.

Will lifted up the leg of Caroline's jeans. "I think you just have a nasty bruise, Princess."

Caroline's lower lip trembled. "It still hurts a lot."

"You might want to stay off it the rest of the afternoon," Julie said. "You can keep me company."

Caroline nodded in disappointment.

Katie stood back watching it all and feeling guilty. It was her fault that Caroline fell.

"I think you'll be all right though Princess," Will grinned at her and kissed her kneecap before rolling her jeans back down.

"Thanks Uncle Will," Caroline said giving him a hug.

"Anytime," Will told her. "You're a tough one you know that?"

"I am?" Caroline asked smiling up at him.

"Absolutely," Will chucked under her chin. "That's my favourite type of princess."

Caroline beamed at him.

"Why don't you bring Caroline a mug of a hot chocolate?" Julie asked holding one out to Katie.

"Okay," Katie replied, shuffling over to her best friend.

Caroline's smile faded. "You left me..."

"I'm sorry," Katie said. "I didn't know you'd fall Caroline."

"I'm going to let Frankie and Mia know you're okay," Will said kissing the top of Caroline's head before leaving.

"It was an accident," Caroline said giving Katie a slight smile. "I know you didn't mean it."

Katie smiled back at her. "I'm going to sit with you the rest of the afternoon," she said.

"You'd do that?" Caroline asked smiling at her.

"You are my bestest friend," Katie handed her the cup.

"Thanks," Caroline said. "And you're mine."

97. Ch 97

Well we thought about titling this chapter “Christina’s Last Stand” but thought it might be too obvious… did you feel that anvil? LOL anyways, you get all Hogwarts crew in this chapter with the ball, and you Saffron/Andrew fans will be quite pleased at the end of this chapter.

Please don’t forget to let us know what you think! And if you have questions for us to answer, leave them on your review for this chapter so we can answer them for Saturday!

The day of the ball was finally there. Saffron was excited but tried to tone down her happiness so she wouldn't make Alexa feel bad. "Hurry up and put your robes on," she said. "I can't wait to see them on you." Her own robes were custom made for her by her aunt and were a deep ivory colour.

"Okay," Alexa said grabbing the robes. She knew Saffron was looking forward to the night and she couldn't really blame her. Saffron was going with someone she truly cared about. She wouldn't have to watch the boy she loved dance with someone else all night.

"We're going to figure this all out," Saffron said, knowing what Alexa was thinking. "I know we've been trying to get proof that R.J.'s under a love potion, but aside from his symptoms and all that, we have nothing. But we'll figure it out."

Alexa nodded.

"And I did a great job on your hair and makeup," Mimi said proudly. She'd curled Alexa's hair and it fell in ringlets down her back.

"You did," Alexa said forcing a smile. "Thank you, Meems."

"Sure Lex," Mimi said happily, dancing around in her pink robes.

"Getting practise in for Ivan?" Beth teased her friend.

Mimi giggled. "Yes," she answered.

"I can't wait to see Andrew," Saffron said putting on some lip gloss.

"He's not going to know what hit him," Alexa said loyally. "You look gorgeous Saffron."

"Thanks, Lex," Saffron said smiling at her. "And I, for one, can't wait to see the look on R.J.'s face when he sees you. Love potion or not, he's going to swoon."

"That'd be nice," she said softly.

"I heard that cow bragging at breakfast this morning," Beth said rolling her eyes. "I can't wait to see her get hers, Lex."

"She will," Saffron answered for her friend. "I'm going to make sure of it."

Downstairs in the common room, boys were starting to gather to wait for their dates.

"I should go and get Christina," R.J. said making his way for the portrait hole.

"No," Andrew said putting a hand on his arm. "Keep me company until Saf comes down."

"But I promised Chris I'd meet her," R.J. said.

"Be a man," Andrew said with a laugh. "Besides girls are never ready on time."

"But--" R.J. protested again.

"R.J.," Andrew said. "Come on. She's not ready yet. In fact, if she was ready now, I'd pay you 10 galleons. Your girl is high maintenance."

What Andrew wasn't telling his friend was that Saffron wanted R.J. to see Alexa when she came downstairs. He'd promised Saffron he'd do everything in his power to stall R.J..

"Fine but if she reams me out I'm going to tell her it was your fault," R.J. said, brushing off his sleeves.

"I'll tell her myself," Andrew said looking at his watch. "Saf should be down any minute."

"Fine," R.J. said, rubbing his temples. His headaches had been coming more and more frequently these days and in truth it was starting to scare him a little.

"You should go to Madam Pomfrey," Andrew lectured.

"I know," R.J. said. "It'll go away in a minute though. And I don't want to ruin this night for Chris."

"Right," Andrew said rolling his eyes.

"Come on and walk down with me," Saffron said. "Ewan's waiting for you in the common room right? That's where Andrew is too." she didn't mention that Andrew was stalling R.J. for as long as possible.

Alexa nodded and smoothed down her light green robes. "Okay, I'm ready if you are."

"You look perfect," Saffron grinned at her.

Alexa smiled. "So do you."

"Thanks," Saffron took her hand. "Let's go! Our first ball here- this is so exciting!"

Alexa tried to muster up some enthusiasm. She didn't want to spoil the night for Saffron or for Ewan. She followed her best friend out of the dorm and they hesitated at the top of the stairs.

"You go first," Alexa said to Saffron.

"We'll go together," Saffron said firmly.

Alexa started to protest, but knew it was a lost cause. What Saffron wanted, she usually got. "Okay..."

"Come on," Saffron hooked her arm through Alexa's.

Together, they descended the staircase slowly.

"Wow," Andrew said catching sight of them. His eyes locked with Saffron's. "Saffron Grace...."

She giggled. "Hi there handsome."

Andrew grinned. "You look amazing, Saf. Truly amazing."

"Thank you," she said, greeting him with a kiss.

R.J. hadn't been paying attention when Saffron had walked downstairs. He'd been thinking of how much trouble he'd be in if he was late picking up Christina. This night meant so much to her. But his thoughts of Christina evaporated as he finally saw Alexa.

She was near the fire as Ewan gave her a pretty carnation that he was sliding onto her wrist. R.J. gulped as he took in her green robes and long shiny red hair.

"She looks beautiful doesn't she?" Saffron asked him.

"Yeah," R.J. answered, mesmerized.

"You look really pretty," Ewan said shyly to Alexa.

"Thank you," Alexa replied. "And thank you for the flower- it's gorgeous."

"Should we join your friends?" Ewan asked motioning to Andrew and Saffron. When he saw who was with them, he frowned. "Or maybe not."

Alexa turned and saw R.J. staring at her.

"That is amazing," R.J. said, not taking his eyes off her.

"What?" Alexa asked finding herself walking toward him. "What is?"

"You," R.J. said quietly.

Alexa felt her cheeks redden. "Thank you. You---you look really nice too."

"I uh..." R.J. began, not noticing anyone else in the room.

"You what?" Alexa asked hopefully.

"I... I have to go get Chris," he said, his eyes clouding over.

"Right," Alexa said flatly. "I hope you have a lovely time tonight, R.J.."

"You too," he nodded before turning and rushing out of the common room.

"It's his loss," Ewan said from behind Alexa.

Alexa nodded, hoping Ewan would remember their conversation about just going as friends.

"We should go," Saffron said smiling reassuringly at Alexa.

"All right," Alexa said, taking Ewan's arm.

They made their way downstairs and could already hear music and voices from the Great Hall.

"This looks incredible," Saffron said her eyes wide.

"It really does," Andrew said squeezing her hand.

"I've been so excited about this," Saffron smiled at him.

"Me too," Andrew said softly. "But mostly about seeing you in your dress robes."

"You're sweet," Saffron stopped and gave him a kiss. "And you look fantastic in your dress robes."

"These old things?" Andrew said jokingly.

"Look fantastic," Saffron finished for him.

Andrew laughed. "How about we go and grab a table?"

"You're going to dance with me tonight Kirke," Saffron said as they went in. "There's no getting out of it."

"I've been practising," Andrew said chuckling. "So I don't step all over your toes."

Alexa followed her best friend in and felt guilty for wishing she was there with R.J. and not Ewan. "You don't have to dance with me if you don't want to," she said nervously to him. "I'm not that good at it."

"It's okay," he said. "I'm not that great either. We'll cancel each other out."

Alexa nodded and gave him a small smile. "Let's get something to drink."

R.J. and Christina walked into the Great Hall with Monica and Jason. Christina was wearing bright red dress robes and her blonde hair was pulled back into a chignon.

"This is nice," Christina said smiling up at R.J.. "Don't you think?"

"Very nice," he said, looking around for a glimpse of Alexa.

"You haven't told me how nice you thought I looked," Christina pouted at him.

"You look nice," R.J. said automatically.

"You can do better than that," she purred.

"You look great," R.J. said, not noticing the amused expressions on Jason’s and Monica's faces.

"Better," she said smiling up at him. "Tonight's our special night, R.J.." She'd told him about planning on a "sleepover" in the Room of Requirement. He hadn't seem all that enthusiastic about it, but he'd agreed just the same.

"Right," he said, looking completely distracted. "Our night..."

She followed his gaze and felt a rush of anger. He was staring at that troll Alexa O'Leary. "Someone should really tell that girl those robes are last season," Christina said bitterly.

"I think she looks gorgeous," Monica said truthfully.

"You would," Christina said glaring at her.

"What's wrong with her thinking Alexa is pretty?" Jason stuck up for his girlfriend.

"You act like I can't have an opinion of it doesn't go along with yours," Monica said folding her arms.

"Well I know best," Christina said icily.

"Says who?" Monica asked sardonically.

"Come on, Mon," Jason said taking her hand. "Let's go sit with Andrew and Saffy."

"Sure," Monica said, forcing a smile at him.

Christina shook her head as she watched her so-called best friend walk away. She saw that R.J.'s gaze had again fallen on Alexa. "Junior...."

"What?" he asked still distracted.

Christina took his arm and led him toward an empty table. She needed to slip a dose of the potion into his drink and that would solve his attention problem for the rest of the evening.

"Where are we going?" he asked his eyes still on Alexa. She looked so beautiful he was finding it hard to concentrate on anything else.

"I want you to sit down," Christina said. "And I'll go and get us something to drink."

"All right," R.J. sat down as his head began to throb again.

Christina walked over to the refreshment table and joined the queue.

"He's still staring at her," Saffron whispered to Andrew.

"And our girl is getting them something to drink," Andrew said motioning over his shoulder. "Surprise..."

"Oooh," Saffron said, craning her neck. "Maybe she'll slip something into his drink. If we can only catch her doing it..."

"She's been one step ahead of us this whole time," Andrew commented.

"She has to slip up sooner or later," Saffron replied. "Hi Jason, hi Monica," she greeted them. "You both look great!"

"So do you," Monica said warmly. "Did your aunt make your robes?"

"During the summer hols," Saffron nodded. "I didn't think I'd get a chance to wear them so soon."

"They're gorgeous," Monica said.

"Thanks," Saffron grinned at her.

"Chris is planning some big night for her and R.J.," Monica confided. "She said something about getting out of here early and....you know."

Saffron gaped at her. "What did he say?"

"He agreed to it, but he didn't seen to care really," Monica replied.

"And you haven't seen her do anything with a potion?" Saffron asked.

"No, but I did see her put a little vial in her bag," Monica said. "She said it was perfume."

"I wonder if we could get it out of her bag without her knowing," Saffron watched the blonde head back towards R.J., two cups in her hands.

"I could ask her to dance," Andrew suggested.

"She wouldn't dance with you," Monica said. "She knows you're here with Saffron."

"Right," Andrew said relieved. "I wasn't looking forward to it."

"Neither was I," Saffron said with a curl of her lip. "I guess we just have to keep an eye on them."

"I could go over there and apologise," Monica offered. "We kind of had words when we came in here. The last thing we need is for him to drink any more of that potion."

"If you think it would work, then I guess you could try," Saffron shrugged.

"It's worth a shot," Monica said. "Come on, Jas. Let's go play nice."

"We can try," Jason grumbled.

"Good luck," Saffron said. "And thanks."

R.J. wasn't listening to a word Christina was saying. He hadn't touched the drink she'd brought over. His eyes were focused on the red-haired girl dancing a few feet away.

"Junior," Christina said. "I wore these robes because you said you loved this colour on me and you've barely looked at me all night!"

"I'm not hungry," he said absently. He wondered if Alexa would dance with him if he asked.

Christina scowled and dug into her purse for the vial of the potion she'd stashed in there. Pulling his cup closer, she discreetly began to pour it into his punch.

"I'll be right back," he said getting to his feet.

"Junior!" Christina exclaimed. "At least have some of this!"

"I don't want any of it," he said heading toward Alexa and Ewan.

Swearing under her breath, she recorked the vial and stuffed it back into her purse.

R.J. tapped Ewan on the shoulder. "Can I cut in?"

"We're dancing right now," Ewan said.

"Just one dance, mate," R.J. said looking at Alexa.

"R.J. please don't do this," Alexa said softly.

"Lexie--I---" R.J. started to say as his head started to throb again. His knees buckled and he grabbed on to Ewan for support.

"R.J.?" Alexa asked concern all over her face. "What's wrong?"

"My head," he said weakly. "What's wrong with me Lexie?"

"Ewan," Alexa said. "Can you get Madam Pomfrey and hurry?"

"Sure," Ewan replied, dashing out of the Great Hall. Alexa helped R.J. to a nearby table and he sat down heavily.

"It's going to be okay," she said trying to reassure him. "Madam Pomfrey will be here soon."

"It hurts," he moaned, squeezing his eyes shut.

Alexa sat down beside him and put her arm around him. She rubbed his back. "Oh, R.J.."

"I miss you Lexie," R.J. said weakly. "I think about you all the time."

Her heart swelled at this. "I've missed you, too."

"I don't know what's wrong with me," he looked up at her. "I don't want to be with Christina. I want to be with you."

Alexa opened her mouth to respond, but Ewan had returned with Madam Pomfrey in tow.

"What's going on, Mr. Weasley?" the nurse asked kneeling in front of him.

"I don't know," he said miserably. "My head just starts pounding and I want to pass out."

"How long has this been going on?" she asked.

"I don't know," he said again. "Maybe a few weeks or something after we got back from Christmas hols..."

Christina, Monica and Jason walked over to see what was going on as had Andrew and Saffron.

"He's been drinking a lot lately," Christina lied. "It's a hangover."

"Drinking what?" Saffron asked sharply.

"Firewhisky," Christina replied. "He has a stash of it."

"Is this true Mr. Weasley?" None of them had heard Dumbledore and McGonagall approach.

"I haven't had Firewhisky..." R.J. said as the room began to spin around him. "Not while I'm at school..."

"Someone's been slipping him a love potion," Saffron told the headmaster.

"Miss Potter that's quite a serious accusation," Dumbledore said solemnly. "Can I assume you have proof?"

"You'll find it in R.J.'s goblet," Saffron said motioning over to Christina's table. "I saw her slip something into his drink, sir."

"I don't need to slip anyone a love potion," Christina scoffed. "That's something someone like you would do, Potter."

"I don't need a love potion to attract guys," Saffron returned coldly. "Why don't you check her bag Professor? You'll find a vial in there that held the potion she's brewed."

Christina's smug expression faltered a bit at Saffron's words. "That's ridiculous, sir. I don't have anything in my bag except for some makeup and a handkerchief. That's all."

"May we see?" Dumbledore inquired.

"That's an invasion of my privacy," Christina said folding her arms. "You have no right to search my belongings, Professor Dumbledore."

Everyone in the group gaped at her in shock. No one had ever stood up to the headmaster before like that.

"Of course Miss Grant," Dumbledore nodded. "Professor McGonagall, would you be so kind as to retrieve Mr. Weasley's goblet?"

"Certainly, Albus," Professor McGonagall replied.

Saffron smirked at Christina, who had gone pale as the professor picked up the goblet.

Professor McGonagall handed R.J.'s goblet to Dumbledore.

"You can't just assume she's right!" Christina said, panicking.

"Explain to me then why he was in love with Alexa one day and then the very next, he dropped her for you?" Saffron asked. "Hmmm? Someone he couldn't stand? Someone who he'd wished he'd never gotten involved with in the first place?"

"People change their minds all the time," Christina hissed as R.J. let out a weak moan again and clutched at his head.

"I'm afraid I need to take Mr. Weasley to the hospital wing," Madam Pomfrey announced. "This is quite serious, Headmaster."

"Of course Poppy," Dumbledore nodded.

"Lex, will you come with me?" R.J. asked looking at her.

Alexa nodded. "If that's okay with you," she looked at the nurse.

"That's fine with me," Madam Pomfrey replied. "Come along, Mr. Weasley."

"I'll help," Jason said coming forward.

"I just want Lex," R.J. said, standing up with Madam Pomfrey's help.

"We'll join you guys soon," Saffron promised Alexa.

Alexa nodded and left with R.J. and Madam Pomfrey. "Do you think he'll be okay?" she asked softly as they made their way to the hospital wing.

"I'm not sure Miss O'Leary," the nurse replied. "If he has ingested a love potion, we'll need to know what type and for how long he's been exposed to it. He should have come to me the moment he started having these headaches."

"She wouldn't let me," R.J. said weakly. "Said I didn't need to."

"Who wouldn't?" Madam Pomfrey asked sharply.

"Chris," R.J. said his eyes closed.

Madam Pomfrey shook her head. "Come on." she said, pressing her lips together.

Downstairs in the Great Hall, Dumbledore was huddled together with Snape and McGonagall as the Potions professor examined the goblet.

"Feeling nervous, Christina?" Saffron asked the Ravenclaw.

"Shut the hell up Potter," Christina snapped.

"You could have killed him," Saffron said. "Would that have made you happy? How could you stand by and watch him have these horrible headaches and do nothing?"

"I didn't do anything," Christina hissed angrily.

"Damn right you didn't," Saffron glared at her.

"You just can't accept the fact that your mousy little friend wasn't the girl for him," Christina shot back. "So you're trying to frame me for this."

"R.J. loves her," Saffron said coolly. "It's fairly obvious- as he hasn't been able to take his eyes off her all night. Oh- and there's also the fact that he asked HER, not YOU, to come to the hospital wing with him."

Christina glared at her. "How do we know it wasn't her who was slipping him some potion? She was desperate to get him back. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if that's how someone as drab as her could land a catch like R.J. Weasley."

Saffron's hands clenched and Andrew had to physically restrain her.

The headmaster returned to the group of students with McGonagall and Snape. He had a very serious expression on his face. "Mr. Weasley's goblet had traces of the Adoratio potion."

"What's that?" Andrew asked.

"Next to the Amortentia potion, it is the second most powerful love potion. This one has been known to cause serious side effects in the drinker and some people who have ingested it for an extended period of time have died from it's effects."

Saffron cast a murderous look at Christina, who was clutching her bag protectively.

"Miss Grant," Professor Dumbledore said. "I am going to ask you to hand over your bag. This is a very serious situation. A student's life is at stake. If Mr. Weasley means as much to you as you say, you will cooperate."

"I told you what I had in here," Christina said shrilly.

"You just don't want to hand it over because you know you've been caught," Saffron's eyes were narrowed into slits.

"If that's all you have in there surely you wouldn't have a problem with Professor Dumbledore checking your bag," McGonagall said quietly. "Hand over your bag, Miss Grant."

"No it's my personal property," Christina said, backing up.

"Then you give me no choice," Dumbledore said. "I will owl your parents and request that they come here at once so we can discuss the situation with them."

"You have no proof that I did anything!" Christina stamped her foot in anger.

"Yes they do," a voice spoke up from somewhere in the crowd. Saffron turned and was surprised to see Peter come forward.

"Peter!" Christina's eyes turned dark in anger. "You stay out of this! You're just angry because I dumped you!"

"I helped her brew the potion, sir," Peter said quietly. "She said if I helped her do that, she'd help me get Saffron back."

"Is this true, Miss Grant?" Dumbledore turned his eyes to her.

"He's lying!" Christina shouted.

"I'm sorry, Saffron," Peter said looking at her. "I-I should never have agreed to do this. I wanted to back out so many times."

"Thank you for stepping forward Mr. Lawson," Dumbledore said quietly. "Miss Grant, please come to my office immediately."

Christina glowered at Peter and Saffron before lowering her eyes and following Professor McGonagall and Dumbledore out of the Great Hall.

"Saffron," Peter was standing at her side. "Please, I am so sorry. I never thought she'd go this far. I thought she just might slip it to him once or twice and that was it..."

At first Saffron wanted to scream at him, but as she looked at him she saw he was genuinely sorry.

"Thank you for coming forward," Saffron said finally.

"I know I screwed up... again." Peter sighed. "But I just can't stand you hating me Saffron."

"I don't hate you," she said honestly. "It means a lot to me that you came forward, Peter. You could get into a great deal of trouble for this you know."

"I know," he said, twisting his hands and looking down at the floor.

"Saf?" Andrew asked her. "We should get upstairs to the hospital wing. I heard Snape telling McGonagall he was going to brew an antidote."

"Right," Saffron replied. "Thank you Peter." she smiled at him.

Andrew took Saffron's hand. "Not exactly how I pictured our first ball to go."

"Tell me about it," Saffron said ruefully. "I didn't even get to dance with you," she joked softly.

"There will be other chances," he promised.

"I hope so," she said, squeezing his fingers.

They found Alexa waiting just outside the hospital wing.

"Madam Pomfrey's examining him now," she explained. "She asked me to wait out here."

"Does she think he's going to be all right?" Saffron asked.

"She doesn't know," Alexa said wiping at her eyes.

Saffron hugged her best friend. "I think he'll be okay," she said in a confident tone. "R.J.'s tough."

"And stubborn as a mule," Andrew said smiling at her. "Almost as stubborn as Saffy."

"No one's as stubborn as me," Saffron replied, trying to make her friend laugh.

"That's true," Alexa said with a slight smile. "So...what happened downstairs? Did she confess?"

Saffron rolled her eyes. "Hardly," she replied, telling Alexa all that had transpired. "So she's up in Dumbledore's office now. I'm supposing by tomorrow we'll all know what happened to her."

"He could die," Alexa said not caring about Christina Grant at the moment. "Saffy..."

"He's not going to die," Saffron said, looking at Andrew.

"Snape's working on the antidote right now, Lex," Andrew told her. "R.J.'s going to be okay."

"Uncle Ron?" Saffron asked as she saw him and Luna running into the hospital wing.

"Where is he?" Ron asked Saffron, worry etched across his face. "We came as soon as we heard."

"He's inside," Saffron hugged him hard. "How did you find out?"

"Professor McGonagall sent us an urgent owl," Ron replied.

"He's been under the Adoratio love potion," Saffron told him. "Snape's brewing an antidote and Madam Pomfrey's working on him too."

"We should go back there," Luna said her eyes red from crying. "Come on, Ronald."

Alexa, Saffron and Andrew stood back as Ron and Luna hurried into the infirmary. "I'm scared," Alexa whimpered.

Saffron knew it had to be serious if R.J.'s parents were here. She didn't have to tell Alexa that. Tears welled up in Saffron's eyes as well as she thought about losing her friend.

Andrew put an arm around each of them. "He'll be all right," he said, trying to reassure the two girls.

Luna's breath caught in her throat as she saw her son sprawled out on the hospital bed. His forehead was covered with a sheen of sweat and his eyes were closed. He looked so pale.

"Baby," she whispered, sitting down beside him. "R.J. sweetheart..."

He didn't respond and Luna looked helplessly at her husband.

Ron's throat constricted as he looked at his youngest son. He sat down next to his wife and put his arms around her.

"I've given him something for the pain," Madam Pomfrey explained. "We're just waiting for Professor Snape to arrive with the antidote."

Ron nodded. "Do you think he'll be all right?"

Madam Pomfrey sighed. "I won't lie to you, Mr. Weasley. This is very grave situation. Your son was taking a very potent potion for nearly a month."

"A month?" Ron wanted to explode. "Who the hell was giving it to him for a fucking month?"

"A student," Madam Pomfrey replied. "Christina Grant."

Ron's face was so red it was nearly purple. "Where the hell is she?" he snapped. "I'd like to--"

"Ron," Luna placed her hand on her arm. "Don't, please... let's just focus on R.J. right now."

"Right," Ron said in a calmer tone.

"The sooner Professor Snape has the antidote brewed, the sooner we'll know how Mr. Weasley will recover." Madam Pomfrey said.

Luna nodded and turned her attention back to her son. She took her son's hand. "R.J., it's Mum. Your dad and I are right here, sweetheart. You're going to be okay."

"I wish he'd do something," Ron said. "Move his head, or his hand, or something."

"He's so pale," Luna choked out.

"Shhhh..." Ron said, rubbing her shoulders. "He's a fighter Luna."

"I don't know what I'd do if something happened to him," Luna said still holding on to his hand.

"I don't either," Ron replied. "Bloody hell I wish Snape would hurry up with that antidote."

"I'm sure he's doing all that he can," Luna said. She leaned forward and kissed her son's forehead. "My sweet little boy. I can still remember how surprised I was when I found out we were going to have you. I thought your father and I were done."

"You were certainly the most unexpected of the lot," Ron smiled.

"And the one who kept us on our toes the most," Luna said smiling through her tears. "Even more than your brother, Jon, if you can believe that."

"And you're going to be so successful," Ron said to his son. "Your mum and I can't wait to come to your Quidditch matches."

"We'll come to every single one," Luna promised.

"What's taking so bloody long?" Saffron was pacing in the corridor.

"No news is good news, right?" Andrew asked.

"I wish I could go help brew that potion," Saffron said. "We've been waiting out here for an hour already."

"You don't need to," Snape said coldly breezing past her and into the infirmary.

Saffron tried to push in as well but the door was already shut. "Damn it," she said angrily. "We should be in there with him!"

"We'd be in the way," Andrew said getting up and walking over to her.

"They should at least let you in," Saffron said to Alexa. "You're the one he really wants in there."

Alexa nodded wordlessly.

Saffron gripped her hand. "Do you think the antidote will work right away?"

"I'm not sure," Alexa said her voice breaking.

"They have to come out and tell us something SOONER or later!" Saffron began pacing again.

Nearly a half hour later, Professor Snape walked out of the infirmary but didn't say a word or look in their direction. Ron came outside and Saffron immediately ran into his arms. "Uncle Ron? How is he?"

"We don't know yet," Ron replied. "Madam Pomfrey and Snape said he could be up in an hour, or it could be tomorrow..."

"I'm staying here until he does," Alexa said quietly.

Ron put an arm around her as well. "My son is lucky to have you." he said to her.

"Thank you, Mr. Weasley," she said giving him a slight smile.

"I want to stay too," Saffron said. "Andrew?"

"Try and get me to leave," Andrew replied. "He's my best friend."

Saffron hugged him hard. "He'd better wake up," she said, tears springing to her eyes again.

Andrew held her close and let her cry.

"I'm going to go on back," Ron told them. "As soon as he's awake, I'll let you know, okay?

"Thank you Mr. Weasley," Alexa whispered.

Madam Pomfrey came out a few minutes later and gave them pillows and blankets.

"Thank you," Alexa said to the nurse. "We promise not to be any trouble for you."

Madam Pomfrey nodded. "Stay positive, Miss O'Leary."

"I will," Alexa said as the nurse patted her shoulder kindly.

She didn't sleep at all that night. Wrapping the blanket tightly around her, she tried to think of happy times with R.J. and the good times that were still ahead of them.

At some point she must have dozed off because she felt someone gently shaking her shoulder.

"Hmmm?" she asked sleepily.

"Mr. Weasley is awake," Madam Pomfrey said. "And he's asking for you."

"He is?" Alexa jumped to her feet, ignoring her wrinkled robes and dishevelled hair.

"Yes," Madam Pomfrey said nodding. She shook Saffron and Andrew awake too. "This is against my policy, of course, but you two can go back, too."

"We'll wait for you Lex," Saffron offered. "If you want a few minutes alone with him..."

Alexa shook her head. "I want you to come, Saffy. You and Andrew."

Saffron gripped Andrew's hand. "Okay," she said.

The three of them slowly walked into the infirmary and saw Luna and Ron talking quietly with R.J.. He still looked quite pale, but he was sitting up.

"Lexie," he said smiling at her.

"R.J.," she said, tears filling her eyes.

"Come here," he said weakly.

Alexa sat down and took one of his hands in hers. "I was so worried about you," she whispered.

"She was," Ron told his son. "She, Saffy and Andrew waited outside all night."

"You guys didn't have to do that," R.J. said smiling at Saffron and Andrew. "This was going to be your big night."

"Come on R.J.," Saffron said. "We couldn't have that much fun without you."

"As if you could," R.J. said grinning at her. He suddenly turned serious and he looked at his friends and girlfriend. "I'm so sorry for how I acted---"

"That wasn't your fault," Alexa interjected. "You didn't know what you were doing, R.J.."

"Yeah but I shouldn't have trusted her to begin with," R.J. said, squeezing her hand.

"You should have listened to me," Saffron said sitting down on the edge of his bed. "I am always right, you know."

"Okay, having Hermione flashes," Ron joked.

"I am just like my mother," Saffron grinned at him.

"Too much," Ron said mussing her hair.

"Uncle Ron!" she squealed.

Luna laughed. "And I think that's a very good thing, Saffy. Don't listen to Ronald."

"I never do," Saffron smiled at her.

R.J. couldn't take his eyes off Alexa. "You really do look gorgeous," he said softly.

"I do not!" Alexa protested. "My hair's a mess and my robes are wrinkled. You are delusional, R.J.."

"You're stunning," he said, brushing away a fallen lock of hair.

She smiled at him. "I've missed you so much."

"I want to make this up to you," he said. "Every moment."

"We have a lot of time to make up," she said softly.

"Good," he said. "I love you."

"I love you too," she said. "I'd kiss you now, but your parents are here."

"I should be out of here by this afternoon," he said.

"Possibly," Luna reminded him. "Remember, Madam Pomfrey said she might want to keep you a day or so for observation."

"I'll be all right," R.J. said, trying to sit up a little more. "I have loads to do. I have to get my marks back up, I have to get back into Quidditch, and I have to--"

"Get some rest," Luna said sternly. "Everything else will come later, Ronald Junior."

"All right Mum," R.J. said, letting his head fall back onto the pillows.

"We need to go and talk with Dumbledore," Luna said. "And we'll come back afterwards, okay?"

"Can I go with you?" Saffron asked. "I want to know everything that happened."

"He might not want you there Saffy," Ron said. "I'm sure you'll find out what's happened later today though."

"Okay fine," Saffron said with a frown. "But I want a word for word description."

"Yes ma'am," Ron saluted her.

"Uncle Ron!" Saffron said rolling her eyes.

"Come on Ronald," Luna said, pulling on his arm. "R.J. we'll stop back in to see you before we go."

R.J. nodded. "Okay, Mum."

"Well it's good to have my best mate back," Andrew said once R.J.'s parents had left.

"Thanks man," R.J. smiled at him. "I was a right horror wasn't I?"

"You were pretty horrible," Andrew admitted with a sly grin.

"Sorry," he said ruefully. "Is it true I let HER come to practises?"

Saffron nodded. "Unfortunately, it is true."

"And you kept checking plays with her too," Andrew said. "As if she knew anything about Quidditch."

R.J. grimaced. "I think I owe the team some butterbeer."

"Some?" Saffron asked. "You owe us a lot of butterbeer." She knew that Alexa wanted some time alone with R.J. before his parents came back. "Andrew, we'd better get back to the dorm. Let everyone know how R.J.'s doing."

"Right," Andrew nodded. "See you later mate. I'll help you catch up in your homework."

"Thanks guys," R.J. said. "I'll see you soon."

Alexa watched them go. "Well," she said. "At least we get to be alone for as long as Madam Pomfrey allows it."

"You want to lie down with me?" he asked patting the space beside him.

"Sure," she said, moving next to him. As she put her head down next to him, R.J. turned and kissed her.

It felt so good to be in his arms again and to have him kiss her like this. There was one thing that had bothered her though and she wanted to ask him.

"Um, R.J.," she asked tentatively.

"Yeah?" he asked, pulling back a little.

"Did you and...." she started to ask. She tucked her hair behind her ear. "Did you and Christina....."

For a moment he was confused and then his eyes widened. "No," he said. "No way."

"Really?" Alexa asked in surprise.

"We um... kissed and stuff." R.J. looked away. "But we never went that far. Not again we didn't."

Alexa breathed a sigh of relief. "I was so sure you had."

"Apparently she was planning something for tonight," R.J. said, stroking her hair. "And I remember saying fine, but I didn't really want to Lexie."

She smiled. "I'm so glad you didn't. When this first happened, I thought that was why you'd chucked me."

"I didn't know why," R.J. told her. "It's like I had this fog in my head and someone was in there telling me that Christina was the one I wanted. And I couldn't stop myself from listening to it."

"I think she should have been sorted into Slytherin," Alexa said angrily. "What she did was horrible, R.J.. You could have died."

"I know," he answered quietly.

"I was really worried that day in Hogsmeade," she said tears welling up in her eyes. "And then tonight...."

"I'm sorry Lexie," he said, cupping her face. "I'll do anything to make this up to you."

"You didn't do anything wrong," she said. "There's nothing to make up, R.J.. Except for time."

"Yeah but I made you upset." he argued.

"You didn't know what you were doing," she told him.

"I caused a lot of trouble for everyone," he muttered.

Alexa leaned in and kissed him again. "You didn't know what you were doing. That person wasn't you, R.J.."

"You're too good to me Lexie," he smiled wanly at her.

"That's because I'm crazy about you," she said snuggling up to him. "Always have been."

"Hopefully, if I can manage it, you always will be," he teased her.

"I'm not going anywhere," she said sleepily. The long night was starting to catch up with her. She also knew that if Madam Pomfrey caught them like this, she'd probably blow a gasket. But, right now, she didn't care.

Upstairs in Dumbledore's office, it was hardly calm. Ron and Luna were waiting just outside the Headmaster's office. Apparently, he was still talking with Christina Grant and her parents.

"You know someone once tried a love potion on me," Ron said to Luna.

"Who?" Luna asked.

"It wasn't actually meant for me," Ron explained. "Romilda Vane wanted to get Harry to fall in love with her so she put it in some chocolates. I ended up eating them instead...."

"Why doesn't that surprise me," Luna said dryly.

"It wasn't a pretty sight," Ron said shaking his head.

Dumbledore came out of his office with Christina Grant and her parents and the smile on Ron's face fell. This was the girl who had nearly killed his son.

"Ronald," Luna said quietly, holding his arm.

Christina's father Steven stepped forward. Ron and Luna had only met Christina's parents once before.

"I'm very sorry about what happened," Steven Grant said sincerely. "We had no idea that this was going on."

"We're just glad it was figured out before something happened to our son," Luna answered, pinching her husband's arm so he wouldn't say anything in anger.

"Christina," Steven said motioning for his daughter to come stand beside him. "Don't you have anything to say to the Weasleys?"

"I didn't do anything," Christina said angrily. "Saffron Potter framed me. Why won't anyone believe me?"

Steven's face tightened. "Come on," he held his daughter's upper arm tightly.

"Maybe if MY last name was Potter someone would," Christina said glaring at Dumbledore over her shoulder.

"Miss Potter was simply concerned about a friend," Dumbledore said gravely. "Her suspicions have proved true Miss Grant."

"You would say that," Christina said bitterly. "Everyone knows how you excuse everything Miss Perfect does."

"Enough," Steven said. "Let's go. You've got to pack your things."

"Fine," Christina said stalking down the stairs.

"I really am sorry, Luna," Stephanie Grant said shaking Luna's hand. "I hope your son will be okay."

"Thank you," Luna said graciously. "I'm sorry too that it all came to this."

Stephanie nodded and then followed her husband down the stairs.

"Miss Grant has been expelled," Dumbledore told Ron and Luna.

"Expelled?" Luna's eyes widened.

"Yes," Dumbledore said nodding.

"Good," Ron said shortly. "She's got to know you can't fuck with people like that."

"Ronald!" Luna exclaimed.

"No Luna," Ron said angrily. "She could have killed our son just because of some petty fight she has with Saffron and Alexa."

"I don't know if I would have put it that same way," Dumbledore said. "But Ronald is right. This was a very serious offence. Use of that potion has sent others to Azkaban, Luna."

"Oh my goodness," Luna was astounded.

"She should be sent to Azkaban for doing something like that," Ron grumbled.

"IF you decided to pursue charges, I'm sure she could be," Dumbledore said, the twinkle in his eyes absent.

"As long as R.J.'s all right," Luna cut in before her husband could say anything. "We couldn't send her there."

"Madam Pomfrey assures me that he'll make a full recovery," Dumbledore said. "You have a very strong son."

"Thank you," Luna said. "And would you please thank Professor McGonagall for alerting us so quickly?"

"I will," Dumbledore promised.

"We're going to go and see R.J. before we leave," Ron said shaking the headmaster's hand.

"Of course," Dumbledore's eyes warmed. "Tell him I expect to see him back out on the Quidditch field soon."

"He's already ready to go back," Luna said with a laugh.

"Good to hear," Dumbledore said as they turned to leave.

"I'm sorry if I might have overreacted," Ron said to his wife as they left the Headmaster's office.

"I understand," Luna replied. "It just wouldn't have solved anything."

"And this isn't the Grant's fault," Ron said taking her hand. "They have no idea what a monster their daughter is. You know, Luna? I never liked that girl."

"I didn't either," Luna confessed. "Seemed too stuck up for R.J.."

"I like Alexa though," Ron commented. "Even if her mum didn't own a bakery, I'd like her."

"She's a very sweet girl," Luna agreed. "And she cares very much about our son."

"She does," Ron nodded. "And hopefully they'll be able to put all this behind them and start over."

"I hope so too," Luna squeezed his hand. "Come on, let's go see him and then we can head home. I'm exhausted."

"I'm starving," Ron said rubbing his stomach with his free hand. "Do you think we could stop by the kitchens on our way out?"

Luna laughed in reply.

Meanwhile, Saffron and Andrew were sitting together on a sofa in the common room. They had changed out of their dress robes and Saffron was currently in her pyjama bottoms and warm jumper while Andrew had thrown on some jeans and a long sleeved t shirt.

"You're dying to know what's happened with Christina aren't you?" he asked her.

"Of course I am," Saffron said, yawning.

"I'm sure it will be all over the school soon enough," Andrew said pulling her close. "I imagine she'll be expelled."

"You really think so?" Saffron asked in delight. "She'd deserve that!"

"I think so," Andrew said. "Dumbledore was really angry."

"And he almost never gets angry," Saffron rested her head against his shoulder.

"Exactly," Andrew said kissing the side of her head. "I really am sorry that last night didn't turn out like we planned."

"That goes without saying," Saffron closed her eyes a moment. "Now that we know R.J.'s going to be okay I'm mostly just disappointed that I never got a chance to dance with you."

"Maybe you and me and Lex and R.J. can do something one night," Andrew suggested. "Get dressed up in our robes and go to the Room of Requirement or something."

"Maybe," Saffron said. "But I'd rather be alone with you. Just like right now..."

"Better than any ball," Andrew said stroking her hair.

"We could dance here," she hinted.

"There's no music," he said with a laugh.

"We don't really need any," she said, getting to her feet. "We can just pretend."

Andrew shook his head. "This must be love if I'm willing to do this for you when I'm knackered."

Saffron looked up at him. "What did you say?"

Andrew smiled. "You heard."

Saffron felt her heart beating very fast. "Are... you saying what I think you're saying?"

"I think so," Andrew said putting his arms on her waist. "I, Andrew Kirke, love you, Saffron Potter."

She felt dizzy at his words. "Oh..." she said softly. "Andrew..."

"You don't have to say it back," he said quickly. "And I didn't say it to make you uncomfortable. It's just that I've felt this way for quite some time, Saffy and I just wanted you to know. I know we haven't been together that long."

"Do you feel like a million butterflies suddenly exploded in your stomach at once?" Saffron asked. "And you feel excited, like you're looking over the top of a really steep mountain and you feel like you're going to fly?"

Andrew looked thoughtfully at her. "That's a really good description of how I feel when I'm with you."

"Because that's how I feel too," Saffron whispered, staring up at him.

Andrew pressed his lips to hers.

She kissed him back as he pulled her closer.

"This is how I thought last night would go," he whispered.

"You did?" she asked. "You were going to tell me that?"

"Aye," Andrew replied. A grin spread across his face. "I was actually going to say it after I stepped on your toes so you wouldn't be cross with me."

Saffron threw her head back and laughed. "Well you're doing good so far."

"I might have practised before," Andrew said shyly.

Saffron smiled at him before kissing him again. "I... I love you too," she said, biting her lower lip.

"You do?" Andrew asked smiling down at her. "You're not just saying it because I said it? Because I would understand if you weren't ready, Saf."

"No I mean it," Saffron said, her arms around his neck. "What I said before, that's really how I feel around you Andrew."

Andrew spun her around. "Happy Valentine's Day, Saffron."

"You too," she said softly as he drew her close and kissed her again.

98. Ch 98 (Two to go!)

Hi all- sorry I didn’t get to review replies tonight, but I will do them tomorrow I promise- I (Heaven) went to the Anime Central Convention today and am falling asleep on my feet as I type this! (If any of you love Fullmetal Alchemist and are curious, I went as the Homonculus Lust)

So I promise tomorrow I will have replies done, and we hope you Jon and Allie fans will like this chapter- it’s all them!

To say that Caroline Weasley was excited would have been a gross understatement. The little girl was practically on cloud nine the day of her recital. All throughout school, she'd gone over the steps in her head. When she came home, she'd practised in her bedroom. Now, she was trying to sit still as her mother applied makeup and fixed her hair.

"So everyone's going to be there?" Caroline asked.

"Grandma Cho, Grandpa Neville, Grandpa Ron, and Grandma Luna," Allison said smiling at her. "And Uncle Josh and Aunt Lizzy. Uncle Will and Aunt Frankie. Aunt Maddie and Ethan..."

"And Daddy," Caroline finished. "Right?"

"Of course Daddy," Allison said. "Now close your eyes, love so I can put this eye shadow on you."

"Okay," Caroline stood patiently. "I can't wait for Uncle Will to see me dance."

"You've got a soft spot for your Uncle Will, don't you?" Allison asked as she applied the eye shadow.

"I told you about that," Caroline blushed.

"I think it's very sweet," Allison said.

Emma toddled into the bathroom. "Mummy?"

"Yes baby?" Allison smiled at her youngest.

"Em dance too?" Emma asked spinning around.

Allison laughed. "You'll be in dance classes soon enough sweetheart."

"You can watch me and Katie and Mia," Caroline told her sister.

"No," Emma shook her head. "Em dance!"

"Not tonight, baby girl," Allison said gently. "You can sit with me and Daddy though."

Emma crossed her little arms and pouted.

"You're too little, Emma," Allison said kneeling down in front of her. "But I promise next year, you can start lessons with Grandma, okay?"

"Kay," Emma said grudgingly.

Allison kissed her on the cheek. "Which dress do you want to wear tonight, Em? Your pink one or the blue one with the little flowers on it?"

"Pink,” Emma said. "Em dress Em!"

"You want to do it yourself?" Allison asked.

Emma nodded in reply.

"Okay," Allison said. "If you need help, you let me know, okay?"

"Kay Mummy," Emma stumbled back out.

"She wants to do everything herself," Caroline said.

"She's at that age," Allison smiled as she finished her daughter's makeup. "You were the same way when you were two."

"That was so long ago," Caroline said thoughtfully.

"A whole four years," Allison teased her.

Caroline giggled. "That's a long time, Mummy!"

"Time goes by faster as you get older," Allison said, tousling her daughter's long hair.

"Can I go get in my costume now?" Caroline asked. "Before you put my hair up? Grandma Cho said we had to put it in a bun."

"Sure Angel," Allison replied. "I'm going to check on your sister."

"Mummy?" Caroline asked. "Katie said that her daddy was going to give her flowers after our performance. Do you think Daddy will give me flowers, too?"

"He might," Allison grinned at her. "He loves to surprise you, so you have to act like you didn't expect it."

"I will," Caroline promised.

"Go on and put your costume on," Allison said, wondering just where her husband was.

Emma was in her bedroom dancing around in her pink dress. She'd put it on inside out, however.

"Mummy!" Emma said gleefully. "See?"

Allison laughed. "You almost got it sweetheart." she kneeled down. "Can Mummy help you put it on right?"

Emma thought about this for a second before nodding.

"Thank you baby," Allison kissed her cheek. "Do you want a ponytail today too?"

"Peas," Emma replied.

"All right," She quickly helped Emma turn her dress around and put it right then worked quickly to put her daughter's curls back in a little ponytail. "You look beautiful baby!"

Emma hugged her tightly around the neck. "Show Daddy?"

"Daddy's not home yet baby," Allison said. "But he'll want to see you when he gets here."

Meanwhile, Jon had just walked into the pub hoping Victoria would let him have the night off. Caroline's big recital was tonight and he had completely forgotten about it until this morning when Allie had reminded him.

"Thank God you're here," Victoria said from behind the bar.

"Has it been really busy?" he asked, wincing.

"Not yet," she replied. "But we have two parties booked tonight not to mention that bowling league has their banquet here tonight. And Carl and Stan called in sick."

"You've got to be kidding me," Jon groaned.

"I have a better sense of humour than that, Jon," Victoria said with a laugh.

"Yeah but..." he rubbed his forehead. "My daughter's dance recital is tonight..."

"What time is it?" Victoria asked.

"At half past seven," Jon answered. It was already quarter till seven now.

Victoria frowned. "Can you help me with the set-up here? And I'll let you go for the recital, but you have to promise to come back straight afterwards."

"Sure," Jon said, relieved. "Has anyone told you you're the best boss ever?"

Victoria laughed. "I have a little girl, too. I understand."

"Right," Jon said. "What can I do first?"

"Cellar," she replied. "Bring up those two boxes for me, please?"

"Right," Jon headed downstairs.

Allison gave up waiting for Jon and assumed that his lesson had run over and that he'd meet them at the studio. If she waited any longer, they'd be late.

"What if you leave Daddy a note?" Caroline asked.

"That's a good idea," Allison said grabbing a spare piece of parchment.

Jon---The girls and I have already left for the studio. If you're running late, don't worry. Caroline's performance is the fifth on the program so you have some time to spare. We can't wait to see you and don't forget the flowers! Love, Al

"All right my girls," Allison said. "Let's get to the studio."

"Yay!" Caroline and Emma said gleefully.

Mia was already at the studio with her parents, and anxiously waiting for Caroline to arrive. "Do you think I dance good like the rest of the girls?" she asked her parents.

Jack picked her up and kissed her cheek. "Mia, you are one of the best dancers in the world!"

Mia laughed. "Thanks Daddy."

Claire smiled. "Did you see where Mrs. Longbottom is having a party afterwards, Mia?"

Mia shook her head. "Where?" she asked, her eyes wide.

"Here," Claire replied. "I saw the set-up downstairs. I even saw pizza!"

"Pizza?" Mia asked her eyes wide. "I can't wait for pizza!"

Cho came over to say hello. "Hi, Mia. Are you ready for your debut?"

Mia nodded. "I'm kind of nervous though."

Cho nodded knowingly at the little girl. "I was really nervous my first performance, too. Do you know what I did?"

"What?" Mia asked.

"I pretended that the only people in the audience were my mum and dad," Cho said. "And I forgot about everyone else."

"What a great idea," Claire said warmly.

Cho smiled. "It helped me with the butterflies."

"I'll try and think like that," Mia said. "But I really wish Caroline was here."

"I call those two partners-in-crime," Cho said to Claire and Jack. "She and Caroline are inseparable."

"Caroline's become a good friend to her," Jack grinned. "It's fun to watch them together."

"Caroline's my best friend," Mia said shyly.

"And you're hers as well," Cho smiled at her.

"Here she is," Claire said smiling as Caroline ran toward them.

"Hey Grandma!" Caroline said launching herself at Cho.

"Hello darling," Cho smiled. "You look gorgeous!"

"Thanks," Caroline said hugging her tightly. She saw Mia and grinned. "Mia!"

"Hi Caroline," Mia grinned back at her. "You look pretty!" she said as Cho set her back down.

"So do you," Caroline said. "I'm so excited we get to dance in front of everybody!"

"And with Katie's class too," Mia said.

Caroline nodded. "We get to dance in front cause we're smaller," she explained.

"Gamma Cho!" Emma said waving.

"Hello baby," Cho laughed. "Don't you look all pretty today in your pink dress?"

"She dressed herself," Allison said to her mother. "With a little help."

"What a big girl," Cho exclaimed.

"The place looks wonderful Mum," Allison said.

"Thank you dear," Cho said. "I had your father helping me all morning."

"I remember when Frankie and me used to help," Allison said. "Well, I helped and Frankie complained."

Cho laughed. "That seems like so long ago now."

"Ages," Allison agreed. "Is there anything I can do to help?"

"I think we're all set," Cho replied, handing Emma back to her. "I'm just waiting for everyone to show up so I can get the girls all ready."

"Jon's lesson ran a little late," Allison said. "He should be here soon. I guess Em and I will go sit with Daddy."

"All right love," Cho said. "We'll see you after the show."

"Come on Em," Allison said. "Let's go say good luck to your sister."

"Kay," Emma said, waving to Cho. "Bye Gamma!"

"Bye Emma!" Cho said waving back at her.

"Caroline," Allison said. "Sweetheart, you are going to do so good tonight. And Daddy and me and Emma will be cheering you on."

"Okay Mummy," Caroline said. "I'll wave to you from the stage okay?"

Allison smiled and kissed her cheek. "Break a leg, sweetheart."

Mia started visibly. "Break a leg?" she asked, going pale.

"It's what people say in show business," Claire explained to her daughter. "It means good luck."

"Oh," Mia giggled. "We'll break both our legs then."

Allison stifled a laugh and picked Emma back up. "Come on baby girl. Let's go save Daddy a seat."

"Bye!" Emma waved to her sister.

Allison saw her father sitting in the front row and she laughed as Emma squirmed to get out of her hands. "You want to go see Grandpa?"

"Gampa!" Emma nodded. "Em go see Gampa!"

Allison set her down and Emma sprinted toward her grandfather.

"And who is this big girl?" Neville asked swooping her up. "This can't be little Emma Madeline Weasley, can it?"

"It's me!" Emma laughed delightedly. "It's Em!"

Neville laughed. "You are the prettiest two-year old I've ever seen in my life, Emma."

"Thank," Emma beamed, hugging him.

"Hi, Dad," Allison said taking off her coat.

"Hi sweetheart," Neville kissed her cheek. "How does it look up there?" he motioned to the stage with his free hand.

"Fantastic," Allison replied. "Mum said she had you working all day."

"And all last night," Neville rolled his eyes.

"You've been doing that for how many years now?" Allison teased.

"Too many," Neville tugged on one of Emma's curls. "You excited about seeing your sister dance?"

"Em wants to dance," Emma said pouting.

"Emma's going to start dancing next year," Allison told her. "Grandma doesn't have classes for you yet baby."

"Kay," Emma said clapping her hands. "Em sit with Gampa."

"I'd love that," Neville kissed the top of her head. "So where's that husband of yours?" he asked his daughter.

Allison frowned as she sat down. "He's running a little late."

"Is everything okay between you two?" Neville asked, concerned.

"Everything's fine," Allison answered. "He's just working really hard. This client of his has him working these really odd hours."

"Who is this client?" Neville asked as some of the other parents and siblings began to filter into the room.

"Some rich bloke," Allison said with a shrug. "The extra money is nice, but Jon's been away quite a bit lately."

"Em miss Daddy," Emma said.

"I bet you do," Neville bounced her gently.

Julie, Nick and Ashley arrived with minutes to spare. Ashley and Nick rushed to grab their seats while Julie took Katie backstage.

"Caroline!" Katie called out waving to her best friend. "I didn't think we were going to make it!"

"How come you're so late?" Caroline asked, waving back.

Katie rolled her eyes. "Mummy didn't get back from Hogwarts until like 10 minutes ago."

"Why were you there so late?" Caroline asked curiously.

"Some students were acting up in my last class," Julie replied. "I had to give them detention and I lost track of time."

"Greta helped get me ready," Katie said doing a twirl in her pink tutu.

"You look really pretty," Mia said softly.

"Thank you," Katie said. "So do you."

"Thank you," Mia said, her face lighting up.

"We're fifth in the program," Katie said. "First it's the three-year olds."

"They're so cute!" Caroline squealed. "That'll be Em next year."

"She really wants to dance doesn't she?" Mia asked giggling.

"She does," Caroline said. "You remember the other day when we were practising and how she tried to do it too?"

"That was so cute," Mia agreed.

"You two practised?" Katie asked folding her arms. "When?"

"A few days ago," Caroline said innocently, stretching like her grandmother showed them to do in class. "Mia stayed at my house while her mummy and daddy went out."

"Oh," Katie said. She noticed a couple of the girls from her own class in the corner. "Simone! Veronica! I'm going to warm up with you guys!"

Nick, Julie and Ashley headed for the auditorium as Mia stared sadly after Katie. "She doesn't like me," Mia said quietly.

"I don't think she likes me too much right now either," Caroline said putting an arm around her friend. "Come on, Mia. Let's warm up."

"I don't want her to be mad at you," Mia protested.

"It's okay," Caroline said. "Katie doesn't stay mad for very long."

"Unless you're me," Mia whispered but Caroline didn't hear her.

The recital began. Allison tried to pay attention to the three-year olds, but she kept looking over her shoulder for any sign of her husband. Chiaki touched her sister on the shoulder. "He'll show, Allie."

"I just can't believe he's not here yet," Allison muttered. "He knows how much Caroline was looking forward to having him here. She reminded him three times this morning at breakfast."

"He wouldn't miss this," Chiaki whispered back.

"Em dance," Emma eyed the young girls on stage, who were following Cho's movements just offstage. "Mummy Em want to dance!"

"Next year baby," Allison whispered. "I promise."

"No now," Emma pushed her lower lip out and gave her mother a stony look.

"Emma," Allison said trying to reason with her. "You can't. You're too little and you're not in that class."

"Em dance," she insisted.

"When all the classes are finished dancing, I'm sure your grandma wouldn't mind if you went on stage," Neville whispered.

Emma looked at her grandfather, her eyes wide. "Em dance with Gampa?"

"Absolutely," Neville said nodding. "But you have to be nice and quiet and watch the rest of the dances, okay?"

"Kay," Emma whispered. "Em be quiet."

Allison looked at her father and mouthed the words "Thank you".

Neville smiled at his daughter as the next group of girls took to the stage.

Emma sat dutifully on Neville's lap and watched the girls dance. Allison heard someone sitting down behind her and she looked expectantly to see whom it was. To her dismay, it was just Ron and Luna.

"Sorry we're late," Ron whispered.

"Did you see Jon?" Allison whispered back. "When you came in?"

"We thought he'd already be here with you," Ron said.

Allison shook her head.

"I'm sure he'll be here," Luna said smiling reassuringly at her daughter-in-law.

"Gamma Lu!" Emma said. "Be quiet."

Luna turned red as Ron snickered.

The third and fourth groups performed their dances and Allison again checked her watch. Caroline's group was up next. To make matters worse, after each dance the girls received flowers from their parents and if Jon didn't make it, Caroline wouldn't have any flowers.

"Ladies and gentlemen," Cho said standing in the middle of the stage. "Our next group is our six-year olds and seven -year olds."

"Woo! Caroline!" Ron hooted excitedly.

"Ronald!" Luna hissed. "This isn't a Quidditch match!"

"Yeah but she's my gorgeous granddaughter," Ron said shamelessly.

Caroline, Mia, and Katie took their places on the stage and Caroline gave a little wave.

"Sissy!" Emma whispered waving back.

Caroline grinned at her family. Due to the bright lights, she could mainly just see their silhouettes with only a few features mixed in.

The music began and the girls began to dance. Katie beamed and performed the dance perfectly.

"I think she likes being on stage," Julie whispered to Nick.

"Wonder where she gets that from?" Nick joked.

The girls finished the dance and took their bows. Nick stood up with some of the other fathers and headed toward the stage with a bouquet of flowers.

Caroline watched as Jack handed Mia a bouquet of carnations. She wondered what sort of flowers her father had gotten her.

"That was wonderful popkin," Jack grinned at his daughter.

Mia grinned back. "Thanks Daddy. They're beautiful."

Caroline strained her eyes for her own father. "Uncle Jack, did you see my Daddy?"

"No I didn't sweetheart," Jack told her.

"I'd better do something," Neville said, noting the disappointed look on Caroline's face as she searched for Jon. "Have you got anything I can transfigure?"

"I'm sure I have a quill in my bag," Frankie said. She dug it out gave it to Neville while Will made a few long stem roses out of a few coins he had in his pocket. Neville changed the quill into a pretty sunflower bouquet and handed Emma over to Allison.

"Thanks, Dad," Allison said quietly.

"Here you go, sweetheart," Neville said handing the bouquet to Caroline. "You did wonderful!"

"You both did magnificent," Will handed one rose to Caroline and the other to Mia. "I'm very proud of you both."

"Thanks," Caroline said absently. "But where's my Daddy? He saw right? He saw my dance?"

"I... I don’t' know Angel," Neville said hesitantly.

Tears welled up in Caroline's eyes. "He promised he'd be here, Grandpa. He said he would. Daddy never breaks promises."

"Shhhh," Neville took her hand. "I'm sure he's just waiting in the back somewhere..."

Caroline nodded. "Let's go find him, Grandpa."

"Sweetheart you have to go backstage," Neville said. "We'll find him during the party."

"Okay," Caroline said reluctantly following her classmates off the stage.

"Frankie?" Allison said. "Can you watch Emma for me? I'll be right back."

"Sure Allie," Frankie held her arms out to her niece.

Allison quickly went backstage to find the rest of Caroline's class congratulating each other. Caroline was standing off to the side crying. Mia was trying to comfort her friend.

"Angel?" Allison asked holding out her arms.

"Mummy," Caroline sobbed. "Daddy wasn't there to see me!"

"Come here," Allison said giving her a hug. "I'm sure that there's a good excuse."

Caroline sniffled. "But he promised he would be here."

Allison had never been this angry with Jon. Right now, she would like to strangle him with her bare hands. There certainly had better be a good excuse for why he'd missed the recital.

"I know," Allison said patting her daughter's back. "I'm sure your Daddy wished he could have been here."

Caroline nodded into her mother's shoulder.

"Come on," Allison said picking her up. "Let's go back out front and watch the other dancers, okay? And then we'll have pizza and cake with your friends? Okay?"

"Grandma said we have to stay back here until the recital is over," Caroline wiped her eyes. "Will you stay with me Mummy?"

"I will," Allison said kissing her on the forehead. "You did so good Angel Girl."

"Thanks," Caroline said. "Mia did good too didn't she Mummy?"

"Mia did great," Allison said smiling at the girl who was staring concernedly at Caroline. "I'm so proud of both of you."

"Thanks," Mia said shyly.

Katie tentatively walked over and gave her best friend a hug. "I'm sorry, Caroline."

"It's okay," Caroline said.

Allison sat with her heartbroken daughter in her lap wondering what on earth had kept her husband from the recital. For a horrible moment, she wondered if maybe Jon had been hurt or something terrible had happened.

At the pub, Jon was trying to break up a fight between two of the bowling teams.

"Look," Jon shouted over the music, getting in between the two burly men. "You can either back off or take this outside."

"What are you going to do about it?" one of the men snarled.

"We could snap you like a twig," the other man said with a smug grin.

"I'd really like to see you try," Jon said, narrowing his eyes. He was a lot stronger than he looked.

One of the men's wives came forward. "Joe! Come on. Stop this nonsense! We need to get home anyway. It's after nine."

"Go," Jon glared at him. "And don't come back until you learn how not to be an arse in public."

The man looked as if he wanted to say something, but thought better of it.

"Good save," Victoria said as Jon came back to the bar. "And just think we only have three more hours of this."

Jon ran his hands wearily through his hair. "I am in so much trouble," he said miserably.

"For what?" Victoria asked pulling a confused face. "Jon, those blokes are all talk and no action."

"No," Jon pointed to the clock. "I just realised that I missed my daughter's recital. It was a half hour ago."

Victoria frowned. "Jon!"

"I didn't even notice the time," he said, pulling out a bottle of beer and popping it open for himself. "Until just now..."

"I should have reminded you," Victoria said apologetically. "We were just so swamped. I'm sorry."

"It's not your fault," Jon assured her, pulling back hard on his beer. "I should have cleared this with you before."

"I'm sure your little girl will understand," Victoria said patting him on the arm.

"I hope so," Jon said. "I'm just not sure my wife will."

Victoria would have let him go then if it hadn't been so crowded. As it was, Jon stayed until closing and helped clean up dreading the moment he had to face his wife and Caroline.

"Jon you are a Godsend," Victoria said to him. "You're one of the best bartenders I've ever hired."

Jon gave her a slight smile. "Thanks, Victoria."

"I mean it," Victoria said. "You bring your wife and those girls by soon and your meal is on the house."

"If they're still speaking to me," Jon muttered.

"You'll be fine," Victoria assured him. "Just turn on that charm I know is in there."

Jon nodded. "I'll try. I'm going to head on out unless you need anything else?"

"I think I'm good," Victoria smiled at him. "Thanks again for staying so late."

"No problem," Jon said. "I'll see you tomorrow evening."

"Night," Victoria turned out the lights and headed for the backroom to finish that night's paperwork.

Jon grabbed his cloak and since Victoria was out of sight, he disapparated.

Allison was currently pacing in the sitting room, worrying about where her husband could be. The note she'd left was in the same place it was when they'd gone to the recital.

Jon unlocked the door and took off his coat. "Al?"

Allison heard her husband's voice and raced for the front door. "Where the HELL have you been?" she asked, relieved and angry at the same time.

Jon paled. "I--I..."

"Do you know how worried I've been?" she asked.

"I'm sorry," he said quietly. "I should have owled or called..."

"Damn right you should have," Allison snapped.

"Allie," Jon started to explain. "I couldn't get away and I feel like such an arse. Is Caroline angry?"

"Angry?" Allison asked, her eyes narrowing. "She sat backstage and bawled after she realised you weren't there, if that's what you're wondering. And I had to sit with her until she went to sleep and had to reassure her that you were okay, because NOTHING short of you being in the bloody hospital should have kept you from being there Jon."

Jon put his head in his hands. He silently berated himself for being so foolish. Why hadn't he looked at the clock? Why hadn't he asked for the bloody night off? He could see the disappointment in Allison's eyes and he could see the anger. What she was feeling toward him now was nothing to how he felt about himself at the moment.

"I'll make it up to her, Al," Jon said suddenly. "I will. I'll do anything."

Allison shook her head. "What the hell is wrong with your client?" she demanded. "How could he not let you go to your own daughter's recital?"

"We lost track of time," Jon lied. "He's a complete perfectionist, Al. He wanted to have it cold before we---"

"Who is he?" Allison asked sharply.

"What difference does it make?" Jon asked uncomfortably. He hated to lie to her and he'd told so many in the past few weeks because of this new job.

"Because I want to know who the hell would keep a man from his daughters," Allison said.

"Allie," Jon said walking past her. "He's a recluse, okay? He doesn't want anyone knowing who he is."

"Bull," Allison snapped. "That's a lame excuse Jon and you know it."

"Allie," Jon said turning around to face her. "Look, it's been a really long night. I'm going to go and see Caroline and Emma and then I think we should go to bed."

"They're already asleep," Allison said, her arms crossed.

"I'll just give them a kiss goodnight then," Jon said heading for the hallway.

"Don't wake them up," Allison said coolly.

Jon turned around. "Al, I just want to give them a kiss good night. I won't wake them up. I haven't seem them all day." As soon as the words were out of his mouth, he knew it was the wrong thing to say.

"Tell your CLIENT why you haven't seen them all day," Allison's eyes blazed. "Why don't you tell your CLIENT about how your daughter was sobbing backstage tonight? See how he feels about taking all your precious time then."

Her words cut him like a knife, but he couldn't help getting angry. "Look, Allison. I'm knackered. It's late. And you have no idea what it's been like for me, okay? None."

"I'm sure I don't," Allison returned, her words icy as she swept past him into their bedroom.

Jon followed her. No sooner had he stepped through the bedroom door, she'd thrown a pillow and a blanket at him.

"What's this?" he asked.

"You're not sleeping in here tonight," Allison said shortly.

"Al! Come on!" Jon protested.

"You didn't really think you could walk in here tonight and act as if everything's okay did you?" she asked incredulously.

"No, of course I didn't," he said. "But I certainly didn't expect you to give me the third degree, Allie! For Merlin's sake! Don't you think I wish I could turn back time and be there? Don't you know that if I could have been, I would? I wasn't! And I'm sorry...more sorry than you can imagine."

"Well you didn't," Allison said. "You didn't care enough to make sure you were there tonight. You didn't care enough to ring me or owl me to let me know you weren't going to be home on time." she turned and sighed, pressing her fingers to her temples. "Just go away Jon. I really don't want to deal with this right now."

"You really think that?" Jon asked her incredulously. "You think that I don't care?" When she didn't answer, he shook his head. "Fine..."

"Just leave me alone," she said. "And don't wake up the girls. They've had enough for one night."

Jon stalked out of the bedroom and threw the blanket and pillow down on the sofa. A small part of him wanted to confess to his wife the real reason why he'd missed Caroline's recital.

Allison locked the door as tears slid down her face. She hated fighting with Jon but she was still in disbelief that he could have missed the recital. She kept remembering Caroline's disappointment.

Jon sat down on the sofa forgetting how tired he was. His eyes caught sight of a bouquet of wildflowers on the coffee table along with a program. He picked it up and saw his daughter's name among the list of dancers. This morning she'd been so excited and she'd even done a few turns and spins for him. And he'd sat there and promised her that he wouldn't miss it for the world.

Allison and Jon both spent a restless night, tossing and turning until their windows brightened with morning light. Allison took a hot shower, rubbing her weary eyes and she wondered how her husband had slept.

He hadn't slept much at all. He knew that Caroline would be up soon to get ready for school and he decided to wake her up. He wasn't surprised to see Emma in bed with her sister as she'd taken to doing that over the past few weeks.

Jon sat down on the edge of the bed and gently shook Caroline.

"Morning Angel," he said kissing her forehead.

Caroline yawned as she cracked her eyes open.

Jon smiled down at her and brushed her hair off her forehead. "I'm really sorry, baby."

"Hi Daddy," Caroline said quietly.

He could tell right away that things were off. Usually, Caroline gave him a hug straightaway when he woke her up. "I hate that I wasn't there for your big night."

"I missed you," Caroline said, not wanting to wake Emma.

"I missed you too," Jon whispered. He didn't know that Allison was standing in the doorway watching. "And I promise to make it up to you, Caroline."

"You will?" Caroline asked.

Jon nodded. "I will."

"Okay," Caroline smiled at him. "Grandpa and Uncle Will gave me flowers."

"I saw," Jon said. He pulled a bouquet of red and pink roses out. Last night, he'd seen Allison's letter asking him not to forget the flowers. "For my princess."

"For me?" Caroline's entire face brightened.

Jon handed them to her. "For the one and only Caroline Weasley."

"Thank you Daddy," Caroline hugged him.

"You're welcome sweetheart," Jon said hugging her.

"Daddy?" Emma asked sleepily.

"Hi baby," Jon said.

Caroline giggled. "After the recital, Em got to dance too."

"You did?" Jon asked as Emma pulled back the covers and crawled onto his lap.

"Em go on stage!" Emma said grinning.

"Uncle Will told her to get down with her bad self," Caroline giggled. "And Em did this really cool spin and turn thing. Didn't you, Em?"

"Daddy see?" Emma asked.

Jon laughed. "I would love to see, Em."

"Watch Em!" she said, crawling down her sister's bed.

Jon and Caroline shared an amused look as Emma stood in the middle of the room.

Emma turned her back to her father and sister and grinned at her mother before wiggling her little behind and jumping around. "Em dance!" she giggled.

Caroline giggled and clapped her hands.

"Go, Emma!" Jon called out enthusiastically.

"Daddy dance too!" Emma said.

Jon shook his head. "No, Em."

"Yes Daddy!" Caroline said jumping out of the bed. "You have to!"

"Caroline," Jon said. "Daddy doesn't dance like that."

"Peas?" Emma asked.

Jon groaned. "All right baby," he said. "Show Daddy how that went..."

Allison watched them wanting nothing more than to join in, but she still couldn't get over her anger. A smile played on her lips as she watched Caroline and Emma laughing and dancing with their father.

Turning back into the hallway, she headed for the kitchen to make her daughters breakfast before Caroline headed for school.

A few minutes later, Jon joined his wife in the kitchen. She had her back to him.

"I was going to put Caroline's flowers in some water," Jon said quietly.

"You know where the vases are," Allison replied without looking at him.

Jon nodded. Apparently, it wasn't going to be as easy with Allison. "I can walk Caroline to school today, Al."

"Fine," Allison replied.

Jon walked over to the cabinet and pulled out a plastic vase. "When I get back maybe we can talk..."

"Oh you mean you're actually spending time HERE today?" Allison asked her voice loaded with sarcasm. "Let me alert the masses!"

"And what the hell is that supposed to mean?" Jon asked her incredulously.

"You know exactly what it means Jonathan," Allison said.

"Yeah, I think I do, Allison," Jon said folding his arms. "You know, if you'd picked Josh all those years ago, you'd be living in that big fancy house and have money coming out your ears. But lo and behold, you're stuck with me. I'm not as perfect as Josh!"

"When the hell have I ever said I preferred Josh since you and I got together?" Allison snapped.

She hadn't ever said that or given him any reason to think that, but he couldn't help wishing he could provide for Allison and the girls like Josh did for Lizzy and the triplets. "Look, Allie---"

"Daddy!" Caroline exclaimed running into the kitchen with her bag. "I'm going to be late!"

"You haven't had breakfast yet baby," Allison said, ignoring her husband.

"I'll have to eat it really fast," Caroline said looking at her mother. "I don't want to be late."

"You won't baby," Allison kissed her cheek. "You did a lovely job on your plaits."

"Daddy helped," Caroline said looking at her father. "And he gave me the prettiest flowers. Did you see Mummy?"

"I saw," Allison replied. "How about I get you a muffin to eat along the way. Does that sound good?"

"Blueberry?" Caroline asked hopefully.

"Sure," Allison smiled at her. "Blueberry it is,"

Jon walked over to the icebox and grabbed Caroline a juice box. "What's Em up to?" Jon asked her.

"She went back to sleep," Caroline replied. "I think the dancing wore her out, Daddy!"

"Must have, Angel." Jon replied. "Are you ready to go to school?"

Caroline nodded and hugged her mother. "Bye, Mummy."

"Have a good day darling," Allison kissed the top of her head. "I'll see you after school."

Caroline took the blueberry muffin. "Ready, Daddy?"

"I sure am," Jon said. "I'll even give you a piggyback ride if you want."

Caroline nodded eagerly and she and Jon walked out of the kitchen. It hadn't gone unnoticed by Jon that his wife hadn't even looked in his direction once since Caroline came into the kitchen.

The headache that had nagged at Allison since the night before had not gone away. She dug through the cabinets for a headache cure and then checked on Emma before deciding to do a bit of laundry.

She grabbed Emma and Caroline's dirty clothes and debated about washing Jon's. With a sigh she threw his jeans and shirt from last night into the laundry basket. They smelled like stale cigarettes. He'd said that client of his smoked like a chimney.

"He'd better not be joining him," she muttered.

She quickly sorted through the clothes and before tossing them into the machine and checked the pockets to make sure they were empty. Jon's jeans had a piece of paper and some Muggle money in the pocket. She set them aside.

Tossing the trousers into the washing machine, she turned to the piece of paper she'd put on the table. "Victoria O'Malley," she read. Following the woman's name was a Muggle phone number.

"Mummy?" Emma said behind her.

"Hi baby," Allison jumped and turned around.

Emma rubbed at her eyes and yawned. "Sweepy."

Allison forced a smile onto her face. "If you're sleepy you should go back to bed baby girl."

Emma stepped closer and held up her arms. "Mummy stay with Em?"

"Of course I'll stay with you," Allison picked her up. "Mummy can't think of anything she wants to do more."

Emma rested her head on Allison's shoulder. "Love Mummy."

Allison kissed her forehead. "Love you too Emma Madeline."

Allison carried Emma back into Caroline's room and settled down beside her on the bed. The name Victoria O'Malley kept echoing in her thoughts. Who was this woman?

Furthermore, what exactly was her relationship with Jon?

99. 99 One more to go! LOL

Only one more to go till 100 ;) We hope you guys enjoy this one- it’s got H/Hr and a flashback to some pre Hillsdale nights times. As always, don’t forget to review!

Hermione was deeply absorbed in some new paperwork depicting new laws for the House Elves that she and Samuel had come up with when a knock on her door made her jump. "Come in," she called, expecting to see her assistant.

"Minister Potter," Harry said grinning at her.

"Well hello Head Auror Potter," Hermione grinned back. "To what do I owe the pleasure?"

"This," Harry said handing her his folded copy of today's newspaper.

Hermione scanned it. "Flock of Doxies scare ghosts out of home?" she asked, amused.

Harry rolled his eyes. "The listings under it, love."

Hermione laughed. "What about them?" she asked when a familiar address caught her eye.

"It's on the market," Harry said.

"The cottage," Hermione said wistfully. "Oh Harry..."

"I know," he said smiling at her. "I thought you'd want to see it."

"I wish we could just go through it again," Hermione said, tracing over the address with her finger.

"We can," Harry said. "The estate agent said we were welcome to by and take a look anytime we wanted."

"Harry did you tell her you wanted to buy it?" Hermione asked. "We shouldn't be telling false stories--"

"It's not what you think," Harry interjected. "I was....I was thinking it might make a nice wedding present for Ethan and Maddie."

Hermione stared at him with wide eyes. "You want to give them the cottage as a wedding gift?"

Harry nodded. "It is where they first met each other. Maddie was just a baby, but...."

"That's a lovely idea Harry," Hermione said. "And we can certainly afford it... but a whole house?"

"We'd run it past them of course," Harry said. "They may want to stay in Ethan's flat. But, we lost the cottage once before, Hermione. I don't want to let that happen again."

"I don't either," Hermione said. "I mean, I can see us retiring there Harry."

"You want to keep it for us then?" Harry asked.

Hermione thought for a moment. "I think... perhaps... if Ethan and Maddie would like it, let's give it to them. It would be a perfect first home for them, as it was for us. And then when they start having a family, we can buy it off them. That way, they'll have money for a bigger home as well as their savings."

"Our first home," Harry said coming behind her desk and putting his arms around her.

***

"Mum when are the Weasley's going to get here?" Julie asked eager to see their new baby Madeline.

"They'll be here soon," Hermione said. "You know they always run a little late."

Harry and Ethan were in the sitting room playing an impromptu game of catch. The three-year old boy was looking more and more like his father every single day.

"Ethan I bet you're excited to have Josh and Jon come over," Julie said, sitting down on the sofa.

Ethan nodded and laughed as Harry missed the ball.

"Daddy missed," Ethan said chuckling.

"You little..." Harry said, chortling.

"Face it Dad," Julie teased. "You're getting old. The reflexes just aren't the same anymore..."

"Daddy old," Ethan laughed.

"Ethan, let's not ever say that again, okay?" Harry asked throwing the ball back to his son. "Daddy is not getting old. Daddy is never getting old."

Ethan tossed the ball back. "Daddy very old."

Julie snickered. "Ethan, you are priceless!"

"Priceless my arse." Harry grumbled.

"Professor Dumbledore says that you're only as old as you feel," Julie said. "And he's ancient, Dad."

"That's true," Harry said. "Come on Ethan. Let's get you a biscuit."

"Mum?" Julie asked. "Will you go over my essay later on? It's not due until after the holidays, but I wanted to get a head start and I'd really like it if you'd go over it for me."

"I'd be happy to love," Hermione said, coming in the room with some butterbeer and soda on a little tray.

"Thanks," Julie said leaning back on the sofa. "I love being home."

"We love having you home," Hermione smiled at her.

"Free babysitting," Julie said giggling.

"You mean you don't like spending time with your baby brother?" Hermione teased.

"I love spending time with him," Julie said still laughing. "Sometimes, I wish we were closer in age...I'm sorry, Mum. I didn't mean it like that...."

"I know you didn't," Hermione patted her shoulder. "I'm so glad the two of you get along."

"I love Ethan," Julie said. "Especially when he and I gang up against Dad."

Outside on the front steps, Ron was carrying Maddie in her carrier and trying to protect her from the cold and wind.

"You better not say anything to embarrass me, Jon," Josh hissed to his twin.

"Who me?" Jon wore an angelic expression.

"Yes you," Josh said glaring at him.

"Mummy, ring the doorbell, it's freezing out here!" Darla said cosying up to her mother for warmth.

"I'm trying sweetheart," Luna said with a laugh. "You'll have to let go of me."

"Okay," Darla said giggling. Luna rang the doorbell.

"I mean it, Jon," Josh said looking at him. "If you do or say anything, I swear that if you ever fancy some girl, I'll make your life a living hell!"

"Shut up," Jon rolled his eyes. "I won't tell her." he crossed his fingers behind his back.

Julie swung open the door. "Where is she?"

"Right here," Ron said holding up the carrier. "Wide awake too. Take advantage of it while you can."

Julie squealed as she pulled the carrier away from Ron. "She's so gorgeous!" she gushed. "Hello little Maddie!"

"You can take her out of there if you want," Luna said smiling at Julie's enthusiasm.

"Hi Jules," Josh said nervously, but the girl was so caught up in Maddie that she hadn't heard.

"Mum, Dad!" Julie called as Ron shut the door. "Everyone's here." she carefully pulled back the blanket and lifted Maddie out of the carrier. "Hello," she cooed.

"Jon!" Ethan called out running toward the older boy.

"Hiya Ethan," Jon said giving the boy a high five.

"I have new toys," Ethan said.

"Like what?" Jon asked.

"Can we see too?" Drew chimed in.

"Trucks," Ethan said.

"Let's go see then," Jon said and he and his sisters followed Ethan to his bedroom.

"You're not going with them?" Luna asked Josh.

"I'll stick around here," Josh replied, looking over at Julie.

Luna smiled and patted her son on the shoulder.

Hermione hurried into the room. "Luna, she's adorable!"

"I love her blonde hair," Julie said, not taking her eyes off the baby in her arms. "And she has the most gorgeous blue eyes."

"I like girls with brown hair and green eyes myself," Josh said then realising what he'd said turned beet red.

"What?" Julie asked. "I didn't catch that?"

"Nothing," Josh replied, stuffing his hands in his pockets.

"Luna's dad says she's the spitting image of Luna when she was born," Ron said gazing adoringly at his daughter.

"And she's already got Ron wrapped around her little finger," Luna teased.

"Can you blame me?" Ron kissed his baby daughter. "Where's that lazy bum Potter?"

"Right behind you, big mouth Weasley," Harry said dryly.

"Hey mate," Ron grinned widely.

"So here is number five," Harry said. "And are there any plans for number six?"

"Bite your tongue," Luna said. "I think I've done my duty. We're out."

"Don't forget my mum had seven," Ron replied.

"Oh are you planning on having the next one then?" Luna asked him folding her arms. "I'd like to see you give birth to two sets of twins and then another daughter and you tell me how ready you are to go through it again, Ronald."

Ron grinned. "I got to eat the leftovers of all her cravings," he said, making them all laugh.

"We're done," Luna said firmly.

"You never know," Ron said winking at her. "My boys sure can swim..."

"Ewww! Uncle Ron!" Julie said her face scrunching up in disgust.

"Aye," Harry looked ill. "That's way too much information Ron."

"You're one to talk," Ron scoffed. "How many times have I listened to you go on and on about sha--"

Luna stuffed a breadstick into Ron's mouth. "What's for dinner?" she asked, changing the subject.

"I made lasagne," Hermione said proudly.

"It's all Ethan wants to eat now," Julie said with a laugh.

"Where is he at?" Luna asked.

"I think he dragged Jon and the girls off to see his toys," Harry said as Julie finally gave Maddie up to Hermione.

"Grandpa bought him all these Muggle trucks," Julie explained. "And a track to go with it."

"I think your Grandpa was excited about it as Ethan," Harry said.

"It was cute watching them put it together," Hermione grinned at the baby in her arms.

"You okay Josh?" Julie asked when she caught him staring at her.

"Yeah," he shook his head. "Sorry, I'm just sort of tired."

"You shouldn't be tired," she teased playfully hitting his arm. "We're on hols. You should be sleeping in and being lazy."

"That's not easy when your twin brother sleeps five feet away and snores like a roaring lion," Josh said dryly.

"Better than Joshie," Jon replied, coming into the kitchen. "All he does is moan in his sleep. And call out... certain names." he grinned wickedly.

"Josh," Julie said smiling at him. "Where is that little boy who told me just last year that he hated girls and would never ever fancy one?"

"Jon's just kidding around," Josh's face was bright red as he gave his twin a murderous look.

Josh and Jon were now in their second year at Hogwarts and Josh had kept to himself most of the time. It had been Julie who had encouraged him to sit with her and Chiaki in the Great Hall and she'd been a really good friend to him.

"I can't wait until you get to go to Hogsmeade," Julie said grinning at him. "You'll have a blast, Josh. Really."

"You'll have to show me all the sights," Josh said.

"I'll be your tour guide," Julie said winking at him.

"Julie, can you help me with something in the kitchen?" Hermione asked. Julie nodded and followed her mother out of the room.

"You think she likes 12 year old blokes?" Jon asked thoughtfully to his brother. "Joshie, give it up."

"Shut up," Josh said through clenched teeth. "She's my friend."

"Don't say I didn't warn you," Jon said helping himself to a breadstick.

"Ethan?" Harry asked his son. "You want to meet Maddie?"

"Who's that?" Ethan asked.

Harry sat down with Maddie cradled in his arms. "This is Maddie. Remember? She's Uncle Ron and Aunt Luna's new baby."

"Oh," Ethan climbed onto the sofa next to his father and stared down with wide eyes. "She's small Daddy."

"You were little like this too," Harry said smiling at him. "Not too long ago, little man."

"I was?" Ethan's eyes were round as Maddie's blue eyed gaze fastened on him. "Daddy she likes me," he grinned as the baby smiled toothlessly.

"I think she does," Harry said grinning down at the baby. "Maybe someday you and Maddie will be mates."

"Mates?" Ethan asked curiously. "What is mates?"

"Friends," Harry replied.

"Oh," Ethan nodded. "Okay."

Maddie was still looking up at Ethan and he looked quizzically at his father. "Can she play?"

"Not yet little man," Harry chuckled. "Give it a few years."

"It's so great that our kids can be friends like this," Luna said softly. "Julie, Chiaki and Josh and Jon at Hogwarts now. And little Allie just started."

"I know," Hermione replied with a grin. "It's amazing how it started as a group of us and now there's so many."

"Mostly from Ron and Luna," Harry joked.

"What can I say?" Ron asked cheekily. "I'm a Weasley."

Luna nudged him. "You're getting as bad as Harry."

"Hey!" Harry said with mock indignation.

"Don't compare me to him," Ron finished, laughing.

"Because you pale in comparison," Harry said smugly.

"Do not," Ron said, helping himself to another breadstick.

"Do too," Harry retorted.

"My hair is brighter than yours," Ron pointed out. "And you're paler than me Potter."

"And he is taller than you Uncle Harry," Jon chimed in.

Ron gave him a smug grin.

"Not that much," Harry said defensively.

"And he is older than you," Josh said.

"He plays chess better," Drew contributed, making Hermione laugh.

"Daddy's best," Ethan said loyally.

"That's right," Harry said as he handed Maddie to Ron and scooped his son up. "Ethan want to show everyone how you fly?"

Ethan nodded eagerly. "Watch this!"

Harry held him up over his head and proceeded to spin him around. "Ethan's flying!" he laughed.

Julie and Hermione came back into the sitting room to watch. The look of pure joy on Ethan's face made Hermione smile.

"He loves it when you do that, Dad," Julie said laughing.

"He loves to fly," Harry said with a grin, enjoying his son's laughter.

"I used to get scared even when you did that to me," Julie said. "I guess some of us weren't meant to fly."

"You're like me," Hermione replied. "I've never been fond of it."

"I love flying with Ronald," Luna said dreamily.

"I'm damn good at it," Ron said, putting his free arm around his wife.

"You know," Josh said shuffling his feet and looking down at the carpet. "Jules, you might like flying if you flew with the right person, you know...."

"I don't know," Julie said with a grin. "If my dad couldn't even get me to enjoy it, I don't know how any other bloke will."

"Told you so," Jon whispered in his brother's ear.

Josh elbowed his twin's side. "Maybe I can show you a few tricks sometime," he offered. "I'm pretty good at flying."

"Maybe," Julie said. "But I'm really hopeless at it, Josh. I'd probably grab on to your waist and cut off your breathing or something."

"It's okay," he muttered shyly. "I don't mind."

"Maybe we could work something out when we get back to school," Julie said.

"Okay," Josh shot a triumphant look at Jon. "Let's plan on it Jules."

"Perhaps you could even get Allie to come with you," Luna suggested. "I do hope that you are making an effort to include her since this is her first year."

"Sure Mum," Jon said. "She IS my wife after all. Like Paddington was Josh's."

"Shut up, Jon," Josh said glaring at him.

"That was the cutest thing ever," Luna said. "The three of you out on the deck with Paddy! I think we still have those pictures somewhere."

"Let's keep them hidden," Jon said hastily. "I was only joking."

"Okay," Luna said mussing his hair.

"Daddy, when are we going to eat?" Drew asked tugging on her father's arm. "I'm hungry."

"I'm hungry too," Ron said, looking at Harry. "Mate, where's the chow?"

"It's ready," Hermione said. "Julie and I were just coming out to let you know."

"All right!" Ron said happily. "Hermione I must admit, you make the best lasagne I've ever had."

Hermione grinned. "Thank you, Ron. I'm quite proud of it myself."

"Sometimes I even close my eyes and dream about it," Ron said seriously. "It's that damn good."

"You dream about food?" Harry asked him.

"He talks in his sleep," Luna said, setting Maddie into her carrier. "Talks about pasta, and Chocolate Frogs... butterbeer... his mum's biscuits..."

"You are a very strange man," Harry said shaking his head.

"And your best mate," Ron grinned at him. "So what does that make you?"

"Crazy," Harry said dryly.

"And I'm Loony," Luna interjected. "Let's have a nice meal now." she said, getting up to help Hermione.

Josh quickly manoeuvred it so he could sit down beside Julie.

"Are you hungry?" Julie asked him. "I made the garlic bread and the salad."

"I'm starving," Josh admitted grinning at her. "And I love garlic bread and salad. Those are my two favourite things actually and I'm sure you did a great job, Julie. You always do actually with everything..."

"Thanks Josh," she smiled at him. "Didn't you want me to help you out with that Charms assignment you got? We can go over it before we get back to school if you want."

Josh beamed at her. "Thanks, Julie. That'd be great."

"Maybe we can get together day after tomorrow," Julie said. "I'll Floo over to your house and we can work on it."

Josh beamed at this. "Sounds great!" he replied happily.

"How are things at the shoppe, Ron?" Harry asked.

"Great," Ron replied, helping himself to six pieces of bread. "Actually, Fred and George were talking to me just today about possibly being in charge of all the shops they have in Ireland."

Drew giggled. "Daddy! We don't live in Ireland!"

"We might if this works out," Ron said. "I'd be making a lot more money."

"Move?" Darla asked. "But it's so far away!"

"It's not that far away baby," Luna reassured her. "And we can floo over to see our friends and family anytime we want."

"That's right," Hermione smiled at her. "Ireland is still very close by."

"I don't want to go," Drew said folding her arms. "I'll live with Nana and Grandpa."

"You can't!" Darla squealed. "You're supposed to be with us!"

"Nothing's definite yet," Ron told his daughters. "So don't you both worry those little red heads of yours."

Drew let out a sigh of relief. "You should always be with your family, Daddy."

"Yes," Ron nodded. "Family is very important."

"Yes it is," Hermione agreed.

"And I read in the Daily Prophet about you being one of the movers and shakers in the Ministry," Ron said. "You still planning on complete and utter domination? Are you going to throw your hat in the ring to be the next Minister for Magic?"

"I definitely am," Hermione said with a grin. "I'm working closely with Minister Draven in bringing some rights to the House Elves."

"I happen to know one house elf that would be happy to hear that," Harry said.

"Not that mad Dobby!" Ron said shaking his head.

"Dobby was a great House Elf," Harry protested. "He helped me out many a time."

"He was stark raving mad," Ron said.

"I like him," Hermione said. "I've knitted now a dozen hats."

Luna giggled. "He always liked to wear socks."

"He's always nice to me," Julie said. "He calls me Miss Julie Potter. I think it's sweet."

"He's very respectful," Harry said. "Dobby's a good elf."

"Mum wants to make sure they all get wages," Julie said proudly.

"Some of them aren't going to like that," Ron commented.

"Dobby will be happy to help out I'm sure," Luna smiled. "He always enjoyed the fact that Dumbledore paid him."

"Yes he did," Harry said nodding. "And I think it's great that Hermione wants to do this."

"I've always had a special place in my heart for them," Hermione confessed. "At Beauxbatons, I started this club S.P.E.W. and we...."

"Hang on," Ron said staring at her. "Spew?"

"S.P.E.W." Hermione corrected, giving him a dirty look. "Society for the Promotion of Elfish Welfare."

Ron chuckled. "That's priceless! Hermione, that spells out spew. You must have been the laughing stock of your school!"

Luna kicked Ron's shin under the table.

"Ow!" Ron yelped.

"Did you have any members, Aunt Hermione?" Drew asked.

"Well no," Hermione admitted. "Well, there was Lavender...."

"I think it sounds like a lovely idea," Luna replied. "Not many people care about House Elf rights and I think it will make a wonderful platform for you when you start to campaign for Minister someday."

"Well, I certainly wouldn't tell the media about spew if I were you," Ron said with his mouth full. "They'd eat that up, Hermione."

"Ronald it's S.P.E.W.," Hermione glared at him. "And if you want to keep your mouth so you can have it filled with food every time you turn around, I'd keep it closed at the moment."

"Good one, Mum," Julie said admiringly.

Ron swallowed and looked sheepishly at his plate.

"Yay, Mummy!" Ethan said clapping his little hands.

Hermione beamed at her son and daughter. "Thank you loves."

"How are things at headquarters, Uncle Harry?" Jon asked. "I think it's so cool that you're an Auror."

"Things are good," Harry grinned at him. "Pretty busy lately- Neville and I just cracked a pretty big case."

"What was it about?" Jon asked eagerly. Ethan, too, seemed to hang on his father's every word.

Harry chuckled. "I'm afraid I can't really talk too much about it. A lot of things that happen in Auror Headquarters have to be kept a secret."

"Did you send someone to Azkaban?" Jon asked. "You can tell us that, right?"

"Yes, we sent three people actually," Harry told him.

"What's Acerban?" Ethan stumbled over the word. "What is it Daddy?"

"Az-ka-ban," Harry corrected. "And it's the place where we send the bad people, Ethan."

"Bad?" Ethan asked.

"People who do bad things," Harry explained.

"Oh," Ethan said, digging back into his lasagne.

"It's amazing how much he looks like you," Luna said. "All he's missing is the glasses and the scar."

"And he's got Hermione's eyes," Harry said with a grin. "Other than that, he's my boy."

"Tells me he's going to be just like his Daddy," Hermione said smiling at her son.

Ethan looked up. "Just like Daddy," he nodded.

"What about you two?" Ron asked looking at his own sons. "You going to be just like me when you grow up?"

"Yeah right," Jon snorted, grinning at his father.

"Josh is going to be one of the Wizarding World's top barristers," Julie said grinning at her friend. "Aren't you, Josh?"

Josh turned red. "I'm going to try," he mumbled.

"You'll be brilliant," Julie reassured him.

Jon smirked at his brother. "You're flattering him too much Jules."

"Julie is the brilliant one," Josh said shyly, ignoring Jon.

"Not as brilliant as you are," Julie smiled at him. "If I ever need help with something involving law, I know you'll be there."

Luna leaned over and whispered in Ron's ear. "I think someone has a little crush."

"Who?" Ron whispered back.

Luna rolled her eyes. "I think Josh fancies Julie a little bit." she said in his ear so no one else could listen in.

"Really?" Ron asked looking at her in surprise. He turned to look at his son who was hanging onto Julie's every word.

Luna nudged him. "Don't call any attention to it."

"I wasn't going to," Ron replied.

Luna noticed Jon gearing up to tease his brother and she decided to head it off before he could get started.

"Jon, why don't you tell your Uncle Harry about that last match of yours. Twelve years old and already on the house team!"

"You don't say!" Harry replied. "What position do you play Jon?"

"Keeper," Jon replied. "We lost our first match to Hufflepuff, though."

"I was a seeker," Harry replied. "But my old team captain, Oliver Wood, told me a few tricks for his position as Keeper. I'll have to teach them to you sometime."

"That'd be great," Jon said gratefully. "I'd appreciate that, Uncle Harry."

"Oliver Wood," Luna said dreamily.

"You know, he is rather good looking," Hermione said. "Even I have to admit it."

"Tell me about it," Julie replied. "I used to keep posters of him in my bedroom."

"I could just listen to him talk for hours," Luna said in that same dreamy tone. "That accent!"

Harry and Ron looked at each other and rolled their eyes. "His accent is almost the same as ours," Harry pointed out.

"There's just something sexy about the way he says things," Luna said.

"Mum!" Josh said in disgust.

"That's really gross," Jon agreed.

"And besides that he's not that great," Ron said. "He's not the best Quidditch player in the world by any stretch of the imagination."

"He is too," Drew said. "Daddy you said just the other day that he was the best Puddlemere ever had."

"Yes, well they keep him around just because of his looks," Ron argued. "And Quidditch isn't about how good someone looks. It's about the game. Pure and simple and people like Oliver Wood are tarnishing the game."

Luna gazed at her husband in amusement. "You sound jealous Ronald."

"I'm not jealous," Ron said grumpily. "But I don't see you telling me that I have a sexy accent. You never told me that you could listen to me talk for hours..."

"I do listen to you talk for hours," Luna said. "I also watch you eat for hours, and sleep for hours and--"

"...for some strange reason you still love me?" Ron finished for her; a question in his voice.

"Of course I do," Luna gave him a kiss, much to the chagrin of their children, minus Maddie who was completely oblivious.

"Now that we're scarred for life," Jon joked.

"Like you haven't seen your parents kiss before," Ron said to him.

"We have way too much," Darla said giggling.

"At least you don't see your parents full on snogging every time you turn around," Julie teased, laughing at her parents.

"Ewww gross!" Drew exclaimed.

"Wait until you get older," Hermione smiled at her. "You'll be the same way with another bloke."

"Not me," Drew said shaking her head.

"I like that," Ron nodded in approval.

"You're going to meet someone some day when you get older," Luna told her daughter. "And you'll fall in love and you'll change your mind, Drew. I can guarantee that."

"Boys are gross," Darla said. "They have cooties."

"We don't have cooties," Josh said. "We're your brothers and we are boys."

"Yeah but you're our brothers so you don't count," Drew replied.

"Gee thanks," Jon said sarcastically.

"Your sisters will change their tune in another few years," Hermione laughed.

"Not if I have anything to say about it," Ron grunted.

"I'm still not crazy about Jules dating," Harry said sympathetically.

"Dating?" Josh gulped.

"Talk about us like we're not here," Julie rolled her eyes but she grinned.

"W-who are you dating?" Josh asked trying to sound nonchalant, but failing miserably.

"No one in particular," Julie replied. "I've just gone out with Chiaki and Tosh and one of our friends from Hogwarts on a double date."

"Any of those younger blokes?" Jon asked cheekily.

Josh shot his brother a nasty glare.

"I went out with a guy a year behind me," Julie replied nonplussed.

Jon dramatically pressed his hands over his chest as if he was in pain. "Jules you'll never look at me," he whined comically, obviously imitating Josh.

"Word on the street is that you have your eye on someone else," Julie teased Jon, oblivious to the death glare Josh was giving Jon.

"Oh yeah?" Jon asked. "Who are they saying?"

"Wouldn't you like to know?" Julie asked cheekily.

Jon was about to retort when Ethan suddenly laughed. "Look at the baby," he said, pointing. Little Maddie's eyes were following Ron's fork from the plate to his mouth.

"Well it's obvious she's a Weasley," Harry smirked.

"She's going to be just like her Daddy," Ron said proudly.

***

"Wasn't she though," Hermione remembered that evening fondly. "She's so much like Ron yet she has so much of Luna in her as well."

Harry nodded. "She's the perfect blend of the two of them."

"Like Saffy is of us," Hermione said, pushing the paper aside.

"She's more like you I'd say," Harry said grinning at his wife. "She's smart, beautiful, and loyal to a fault."

"But she's also quick and sweet- when she wants to be," Hermione's eyes sparkled teasingly. "And she definitely has your temper."

"She's not THAT bad, is she?" Harry asked.

"Why don't we ask RJ," Hermione suggested, laughing.

"Quite true," he said chuckling. "So, you want to visit the old place soon?"

"Yes," Hermione nodded. "As soon as possible."

"I'll see if I can set something up," Harry said. "But for now...."

"What?" Hermione asked, looking up.

"Are you busy?" he asked leaning in. "Or do you think you might be able to fit me in?"

"Fit you in?" Hermione asked. "Is that a double entendre, Mr. Potter?"

"What do you think?" Harry asked before giving her a kiss.

"I think yes," she murmured, pushing aside her paperwork and sitting on the desk, bringing Harry against her. "Lock the door," she hissed.

Harry turned around and with a wave of his hand the door locked.

"Your wandless magic really turns me on you know," Hermione said in a kittenish voice.

"It does," he said huskily. "I'll need to remember to do that in front of you more often then."

"Mmmhmm..." Hermione wrapped her arms around him. "But for now I just want you to kiss me."

"Like this?" Harry asked doing just that.

"Yes," she breathed before his lips came crashing down on hers again.

"It never gets old," he said a few moments later as he slid her robes up.

"Not with you," she answered, pushing away at his shirt.

"I love you," he said softly.

"I love you too," Hermione smiled at him, caressing his face gently.

"And you know I honestly didn't come up here to se you thinking we'd end up like this," he said resting his forehead on hers. "But we always send to end up right here like this."

She laughed. "Guess it's in our bones. I'm used to it by now."

"We just can't help ourselves," he said nuzzling her neck.

"I know I certainly can't," she said.

"You know that I never can turn you down," Harry teased.

"I know that too," she returned, hiking up her skirt.

Harry made quick work of pulling his trousers and boxer shorts down. "You going to take advantage of me then?"

"Haven't I already?" Hermione gave him a seductive gaze.

Harry kissed her again as he pulled down her knickers.

Hermione gave a soft moan of pleasure as Harry slid into her. She gripped onto him with one hand and kept her balance on her desk with the other. "Harry," she murmured.

"Hmm?" he asked grinning down at her.

"You're always so amazing," she said, her voice low and husky.

"So are you," Harry said softly before kissing her. "I always have loved taking you here in this office."

She laughed. "I think it's your new favourite place next to my library at home."

"I like the idea that I can distract you," he said against her skin.

"You're a terrible distraction," Hermione said, clutching onto his hair.

"Terrible?" Harry asked pressing further into her.

"Well maybe not terrible," Hermione gasped out. "More like amazing... wonderful... best ever distraction..."

"Better," he said smiling at her. "You're the same for me. Can't think of anything else but you and being with you just...like...this."

With a muffled groan, both of them fell back onto her desk, breathing heavily.

"If they only knew what goes on behind those closed doors," Harry said turning to look at his wife.

"We could brew up another scandal," Hermione laughed.

"That's just what we need," Harry said leaning over to give her a kiss.

"You always say that," she giggled, winding her arms around his neck and kissing him back.

There was a knock on the door. "Minister?"

"Duty calls," Harry groaned reluctantly letting go of his wife.

"Just um... just a moment please," Hermione called back, scrambling for her clothes. "How do I look?" she asked, straightening her hair and robes.

"Like you just shagged your husband to within an inch of his life," Harry answered teasingly. At the look on his wife's face, he laughed. "Only joking. You look beautiful, Hermione. Very official."

"All right," Hermione gave him one last kiss before unlocking the door.

"You asked me to let you know when Garcia and Cramer from Experimental Charms arrived," Samuel said. "Hello, Harry."

"Hi Sam," Harry grinned at him. "How're you?"

"Good," Samuel said warmly. He turned his attention back to Hermione. "They're waiting for you in the conference room. They thought that would be the best place to show you their experiments."

"Good thinking," Hermione nodded. "I'll be right in. Thank you Samuel."

Samuel excused himself.

"I better get back downstairs to my office," Harry said giving her a kiss.

"I'll see you at home," Hermione replied. "You'll arrange for us to go see the cottage then?"

Harry nodded. "It will be nice to see the old place again, won't it?"

"That it will," Hermione nodded. "I already can't wait."

100. Chapter 100

Wow you guys, we can't believe this is 100 chapters! We want to thank you ALL for being such fantastic reviewers

and just being an incredible fanbase. We love writing and will continue this story as long as we can possibly come up with new

storylines!

"I'm just so glad he's going to be okay," Drew said referring to her baby brother. "I can't believe that girl would do something like that!"

"You never met her," Maddie said shaking her head. "And from what Saffron says, it's just the type of thing she would do. The important thing is that RJ is okay."

Maddie and Ethan were sitting with Drew and Darla in a coffee shop going over some of the wedding details.

"I'm glad Dumbledore expelled her," Darla contributed. "If I could get my hands on her..."

"You sound like Saffy," Ethan said with a laugh.

"She's been writing to us," Maddie explained. "And her last few letters have either been about Andrew Kirke or how detestable Christina Grant is."

"So it's serious between her and Ronnie Junior's best mate is it?" Darla asked.

"Seems to be," Maddie said with a grin.

"That's so sweet," Darla squealed.

"My little sister shouldn't be dating period," Ethan said shaking his head. "She's too young."

"Ethan she's almost sixteen," Maddie told him. "I'm sure you had dates at that point."

"Of course I did," Ethan replied. "But I'm a bloke, it's different."

All three girls raised their eyebrows at him. "How is it different?" Drew asked folding her arms.

"It just is," Ethan insisted.

"How?" Maddie asked.

"Yeah, how?" Darla leaned forward with a calculating look. "Tell us Ethan, because I'm dying to know."

Ethan wished he'd never opened his mouth. "Um, well boys are under a different standard, aren't they? I mean, we mature faster..."

Drew laughed out loud. "You've got to be kidding me! At sixteen, you boys still don't know how to talk to us and most of the time you talk about rubbish that we don't understand and then you leave us to go off and have a laugh with your mates and you say the most insensitive things..."

"And then don't understand why we'd get upset!" Darla finished for her sister.

Ethan was an interesting shade of red. "I just don't like seeing my baby sister with all sorts of blokes," he said defensively.

"She's dating one boy," Maddie pointed out. "It's not as if she's dating someone else every other day. And I happen to like Andrew. He's a very nice boy, Ethan."

"Yeah I guess he's all right." Ethan conceded. "Better than that arse who was cheating on her."

"Exactly," Drew agreed. She took a folder out of her bag and passed it over to Maddie. "These are some colour schemes I thought you might like."

"Great," Maddie took it. "Ethan what do you think? What colours would you prefer?"

"Brown?" Darla asked teasingly

"Poo brown," Ethan returned with a grin.

Maddie giggled. "Frankie would never allow it."

"We would never allow it," Drew and Darla said together.

"I know, I know," Ethan said. "I like blue, so maybe something with that colour."

"I was thinking the same thing," Maddie said smiling at him. "A light blue."

"You could do that with silver," Drew said. "Or even just white."

"Either would be fine with me," Maddie replied looking at Ethan who nodded. "Which do you think would look best, Drew?"

"I like silver, personally," Drew said. "It'll make things look more glamorous."

"Blue and silver it is then," Maddie said happily. She squeezed Ethan's hand. "This all feels surreal, doesn't it?"

"Nah not really," Ethan leaned in and gave her a kiss. "I really just can't wait to be married to you."

"Awwww," Drew said grinning at them. "I know that you are my sister and we've known Ethan all our lives and I am biased, but yours is going to be my favourite wedding to plan."

"I agree," Darla chimed in.

"Thanks you guys," Maddie beamed at them. "It's a dream come true for me." she leaned against her fiancé.

"And we finally get to plan a wedding for a family member," Drew joked.

"Since Jon and Josh saw it fit to elope," Darla added.

"You two were still at Hogwarts when Jon got married!" Ethan said chuckling. "So even if he hadn't..."

"I know, I know," Darla replied. "But we'd have still liked to be there."

"Weasleys are tight,' Drew said knowing first hand how her family had rallied around her at the lowest point in her life.

"That we are," Maddie smiled at her. "Did Lavender owl over those designs to you both? She told me she was going to."

"We received them yesterday," Drew said. "They're absolutely amazing! Maddie's going to look like a princess."

"Can't wait to see you," Ethan grinned at the blonde.

"No peeking though," Darla said. "Bad luck."

"I won't peek," Ethan promised. "Or Princess Cruella here will put a spell on me."

"Too right," Maddie teased. "And I'll get Princess Saffy to help me."

"Queen," Ethan corrected her, a glint in his eyes.

"Ah! That's right," Maddie said leaning in to give him a kiss.

"Does my hair look okay?" Drew asked her twin. "I mean, it doesn't look as if I tried too much or anything? I look casual, right?"

"I didn't realise that it was important since we're just having coffee with Maddie and Ethan," Darla replied. "But you look fine, Drew."

"Well Brian mentioned he might stop by," Drew said, blushing a little.

"Oooh," Darla teased nudging her. "Brian might stop by, eh?"

"Stop it," Drew said but she was grinning.

"Drew, you're blushing!" Maddie said grinning back at her. "It must be serious!"

"He's very sweet," Drew said. "And he's got the most to die for eyes..."

"Does he now?" Maddie asked.

Drew blushed even brighter. "We're taking things slow. He knows about Paul and about... about the baby and um... he told me he's okay with keeping a nice steady pace with things."

Maddie beamed at her sister. "That's great, Drew."

"Thanks Maddie," Drew smiled. "You've both met him by now right?"

"And we look forward to getting to know him better," Maddie said nodding. "Since he's so important to you."

"It's Jon and Josh I'm most worried about," Drew said. "You know how those two are. Never used to get along but now they're bloody thick as thieves when it comes to ganging up on one of us."

"I know," Darla agreed. "Remember how the two of them ganged up on poor RJ when he brought Alexa home?"

"Will any of us ever forget?" Drew asked.

"And when Ethan and I first got together all three of them ganged up on him," Maddie added.

"Gave me the big brother act," Ethan remembered. "Kind of comical, really."

"Especially since RJ's younger," Maddie laughed. "I was mad at them at the time but it's okay now. I know they're just looking out for us."

"Like I'm trying to do for Saffy," Ethan said.

"You can look out for her without being overbearing," Maddie told him. "Just be yourself. Saffy will appreciate that."

"I don't know," Ethan joked. "Saffy says I'm an annoying git most of the time."

"She says it with love in her eyes," Drew teased.

"She says it with anger in her eyes," Ethan said shuddering. "You two should have heard that howler she sent to me."

"Well you deserved it," Maddie said. "I don't feel sorry for you one bit. You went and told RJ something that wasn't true at all."

"I was teasing her like all big brothers do," Ethan said defensively. "And the way she was carrying on, it sounded to me like she fancied him."

"Well it's all over and done with now," Maddie said. "And you getting her those Quidditch tickets was a brilliant idea. There's no way she could have stayed mad at you after that."

"Very nice move," Drew said. "Great save."

"Thanks," Ethan said with a grin. "I will say, Saf's ecstatic about being a bridesmaid."

"I'm glad she agreed to it," Maddie said.

"You two should have seen her face when Mads asked her," Ethan chuckled. "Her eyes lit up so brightly she could have powered up the city of London."

"She was even sweet to Ethan that night," Maddie joked.

"And Caroline, Ashley and Katie as junior bridesmaids will be sweet," Drew pulled out another book. "I actually marked a few pages with some of the more popular dresses and robes so you can look through it with them."

"Katie will be over the moon," Ethan said. "She loves dressing up."

"Should we do tiaras like Will and Frankie did?" Maddie asked her fiancé. "Caroline and Mia loved those but I don't want to be a repeat."

"You know what might be a cute idea," Darla suggested before Ethan could answer. "Since this is a summer wedding, it might be nice to do a crown of flowers for the girls. I think that would be lovely."

"That would be lovely," Maddie nodded. "I like that a lot."

"I'll see if I can order some samples," Darla said writing that down in her planner.

"Thanks Dar," Maddie smiled. "What else did we need to go over today?"

"I think that's about it for today," Darla said looking at Drew who nodded.

"We do need to get together soon and pick out some bridesmaid dresses though," Drew said. "We're getting some new designs in next week, so maybe you'll want to gather everyone who can come and we can owl some designs to Saffron so she can have some input as well."

"That would be great," Maddie said. "And we could have lunch too so everyone can catch up. I never get to see Allie and Lizzy anymore."

"Everyone's been busy," Drew shared a look with her sister.

"I still feel bad," Maddie said frowning. "I would love to see the triplets and Caroline and Emma. I'm a terrible, terrible aunt."

"You are not," Ethan told her. "You've been busy lately that's all. We've both been in the office almost seven days a week since Christmas hols."

"Still," Maddie argued. "I'm going to make more of an effort. In fact, I'll owl Lizzy and see if I can stop by and see the babies. And I missed Caroline's recital. And Emma...she's my goddaughter and I've barely seen her since Christmas."

"Well let's make time this next weekend then," Ethan squeezed her hand.

"Great," Maddie said smiling at him. "And we won't back out of it. I don't care what's going on. Family is important."

"Aye," Ethan agreed.

"Here comes your boyfriend," Darla said nudging Drew. Brian was standing in the door of the coffee shop brushing some snow off of his cloak.

"Oooh," Ethan teased her.

"Shut it you!" Drew hissed. She waved her hand at Brian who grinned when he saw her.

"Hey," he said, greeting her with a kiss. "You look great!"

She smiled demurely. "Thanks, Brian. It's great to see you again."

"Alright, Brian?" Ethan asked shaking his hand.

"Good to see you too Ethan," Brian replied. "Been awhile hasn't it?"

"We were just talking about how busy we've all been," Ethan said. "And now with the wedding plans..."

"Right," Brian nodded. "Congratulations, by the way."

"Thanks," Maddie said. She thought that Brian and Drew might like some time alone. "Ethan? We should probably get back to work."

"Sure," Ethan took her hand. "Thanks for meeting us you guys," he said to Drew and Darla. "And it was good to see you again mate. We should all go out one night."

"We'd like that," Brian said sitting down.

"I'll come with," Darla said hastily. "I'll see you back at the office, Drew."

Drew knew they just wanted to give her time alone with Brian and she wasn't opposed. "All right Dar," she smiled at them.

"I know how to clear a room, don't I?" Brian asked her as he sat down.

Drew laughed. "It's their ploy to give us time by ourselves."

"Ahh," Brian said as if he hadn't known this all along. "I like that plan."

"I wonder why," Drew teased him.

"Because I get to be alone with my girl," he said taking her hand.

"Can I get you anything?" a waitress asked him.

"Espresso please," Brian replied. "How about you, Drew? Another cappuccino?"

"Sure," Drew nodded. "Thanks Brian."

"Coming right up," the waitress said.

"It's really coming down out there," Brian said motioning toward the window where the snow was falling even harder.

"I know," Drew said. "It almost never snows this hard here."

"You have a busy day today?" Brian asked settling back in his chair.

"Actually no," Drew replied. "Me and Dar had our meeting with Maddie and then it was just some paperwork and ordering some samples was all we had to do today."

"I imagine spring is a busier time for you," Brian said. "That's when all the girls want to get married, right?"

"Of course," Drew said. "And that usually goes into the beginning of summer. Things calm down in July and August and pick back up in September for winter weddings."

"There's something I was meaning to ask you," Brian said. "I, um, well....it's...."

"What?" Drew asked, bemused.

"My parents," Brian explained. "Well my dad and step mum actually...they wanted to meet you."

"They do?" Drew asked. "Well... sure. When do they want to do that?"

"My dad's birthday is in two weeks time," Brian explained. "And my step mum is planning this big party. And I was thinking you might like to go. It's a weekend thing though."

Drew looked at her planner. "I'll have to shuffle a few meetings around but I should be able to make it."

The waitress came back with their coffees and Brian waited until they were alone again to tell her what really had him worried.

"The thing is," Brian said tugging nervously at the cuff of his sleeve. "Drew, my family is completely mad."

"And you think mine isn't?" Drew was amused.

"I imagine you don't have a father who thinks the sun sets and rises on whether or not Puddlemere is going to win their next match," Brian said. "And a step mum who has an entire room of these antique dolls. Not to mention a stepsister who is the most anal-retentive person you've ever met. Don't even get me started on my sister."

Drew laughed. "Sounds like your dad and mine would get along great. My dad lives for Quidditch. And Mum loves antiques."

"You're not ready to run for the hills then?" Brian asked relieved.

"Of course not," Drew was flabbergasted.

"Great," Brian said smiling at her. "You might change your mind once you meet them though."

"Well you didn't change your mind after meeting my family," Drew said. "Not to mention everyone that counts as extended family."

"Are you kidding me?" Brian asked. "Your family is normal compared to mine."

"I guess that remains to be seen," Drew joked, reaching for his hand.

"And word of warning," Brian said. "My dad will probably want to talk about your little brother. My dad thinks he's going to the best thing to happen to Puddlemere in years."

"He's heard of RJ?" Drew raised an eyebrow.

"Drew, my dad knows every single recruit Puddlemere has their eye on," Brian explained. "He's a fanatic."

Drew laughed. "Goodness, you really weren't kidding then."

"I told you," Brian said shaking his head. "He's always been this way."

"This sort of all makes it official doesn't it," Drew said, toying with her coffee cup. "Meeting the parents and all that..."

"Are you okay with that?" Brian asked gently. "You don't have to meet my folks yet if you think that's too quick, Drew. I'll understand."

"I'm fine with that," she told him. "I want to Brian."

He smiled. "So I guess this means you’re my girlfriend now."

Drew smiled back. "I could think of worse things to be." she teased.

He gave her a kiss. "I really am glad we're together, Drew. I mean that."

"I am too," Drew said honestly. "It was the one good thing that came out of that horrid Christmas party."

"You ever hear from him again?" Brian asked.

Drew shook her head. "I didn't hear from him for months before that night."

"He's a complete idiot," Brian said.

"I'm inclined to agree," Drew finished her cappuccino.

"How he could leave you like that," Brian said shaking her head. "It just doesn't...what kind of person would do that?"

"A real jerk," Drew said. "But I think I got the better end of the deal."

"He never deserved someone like you," Brian said looking earnestly across the table at her.

Drew turned pink. "Thanks," she said a bit shyly.

Brian leaned over and kissed her gently.

She wondered what she had done to deserve a guy as sweet as Brian but she didn't question it. "What did you have planned for the rest of the day?" she asked when they'd pulled apart.

"I didn't really have anything planned," Brian replied. "I have the rest of the afternoon free."

"We could do something then," Drew suggested. "We could go to the park and maybe try ice skating."

"Ice skating?" Brian asked. "Drew, I'm rubbish."

"All right," Drew said. "Any ideas?"

"How about a movie?" Brian suggested. "You can cuddle up next to me during the scary bits."

"I love the scary bits," Drew said with a grin. "But I'll cuddle up next to you anyway."

"It's a date then," Brian said grinning at her.

"Sounds good," Drew said as he finished his espresso. "Besides... the idea of snuggling next to you in a dark theatre certainly has it's benefits."

"Come on, Weasley," Brian said standing up and helping her on with her cloak.

Drew slid her hand into his as they left the coffee shop. "I just have to pop by the office but its right by Piccadilly. I'm sure Darla won't mind ordering the samples."

"Sounds good," Brian said taking her hand.

*** *** ***

"Mummy I can't wait for you to see my pictures I drew," Caroline said excitedly as she led her family into her classroom. "My teacher told me they were very good and she was going to put them up for everybody to see!"

"I bet they're lovely," Allison said, smiling at her daughter.

"Sissy school Mummy?" Emma asked.

Allison nodded. "This is where Sissy goes every morning."

"And you'll be going somewhere like this in a couple more years," Jon said grinning at his youngest.

"Em go school!" Emma said, grasping her parents' hands. She was walking between them, her eyes wide and taking in everything around her.

Jon laughed and looked sideways at his wife, but she kept her eyes straight ahead. Earlier, she'd made a smart remark about how nice it was that he could fit this into his busy schedule. He'd walked out of the room to avoid starting another row.

"Come on!" Caroline grabbed Jon's free hand. "Daddy I want to show you my sentences!"

"Slow down Angel," Jon said as Caroline yanked on his arm.

"Hello, Caroline," Mrs. Ramsey, her teacher said warmly. "Hello, Mr. and Mrs. Weasley."

"Hello Mrs. Ramsey," Allison said smiling. "It's so good of you to have this little show tonight. It's all Caroline's been able to talk about."

"And who is this?" Mrs. Ramsey said kneeling down in front of Emma.

"This is my little sister Emma," Caroline introduced her.

"Hello, Emma," Mrs. Ramsey said smiling at her. "Your big sister has told me an awful lot about you."

"Hi," Emma said after glancing at her mother.

"She's a little shy around strangers," Allison explained.

"But once she knows you, she can't stop talking," Jon said again looking at his wife.

"Why don't you show your family your desk Caroline?" Mrs. Ramsey suggested.

"Okay," Caroline said. "Come on, everybody!"

She led her parents and little sister over to her desk which was the second in the row. Her name was printed in blue on the desk. She lifted the cover to show them her books and papers.

"Look, Daddy!" Caroline said pointing. "I have that pink journal you bought for me."

"Hey look at that," Jon kneeled down. "You've been writing an awful lot!"

Caroline giggled. "I can write my name, and I can write Emma's too. And some other words too but those are the two I like the most."

"Show!" Emma said looking at her sister. "Show Sissy!"

"Here Em," Caroline turned back the cover. "See? That says Emma!"

Emma beamed at her sister. "Pretty."

Allison laughed. "Caroline you've done excellent work here. I'm so proud of you!"

"Thanks, Mummy," Caroline said. "Do you want to see my pictures? They're on the back wall."

"I'd love to," Allison said, picking Emma up and heading towards the back of the classroom, not bothering to wait for Jon.

"This one's mine," Caroline said pointing to the picture she'd drawn of their house. "And that one in the corner is mine too. And I did that one on the bottom there."

Jon came and stood beside his wife. "I think she gets the artistic talent from you. I was always rubbish at arts."

"Right," Allison said coolly.

"Al, please," Jon whispered.

"If everyone would have a seat," Mrs. Ramsey said from the front of the class.

Allison carried Emma over to one of the seats as Caroline hopped excitedly over to her desk.

Jon sat down beside Allison and Emma squirmed to get into his lap. "Sit with Daddy."

"I would like to welcome all of you to our classroom," Mrs. Ramsey said. "The children have worked very hard these past few months. I am very proud of them as I know all of you are."

Allison ignored her husband as he tried to reach for her hand and instead folded them in her lap as she focused her attention on Caroline's teacher.

"The students have prepared a little something for you," Mrs. Ramsey continued. "They're going to stand up and tell you something about themselves. First off, we have Jacob Appleby. Jacob..."

"Are you going to ignore me all night?" Jon whispered.

"Jon be quiet," Allison hissed.

Jon rolled his eyes and tried to pay attention to the rest of the students. Finally, it was Caroline's turn.

"My name is Caroline Catherine Weasley," she said focusing her attention on her parents and Emma. "My daddy is Jonathan Weasley and he teaches flying. My mummy is Allison Weasley and she stays at home with me and my baby sister, Emma. We have a really nice dog named Max that my Grandpa gave me. When I grow up, I want to be teacher because I like to read and draw."

Everyone clapped and Caroline grinned and blushed before sitting back down.

Mrs. Ramsey grinned. "You all did fantastic. And if you give me a few minutes, we'll have drinks and refreshments for you and your parents."

"Em go sit with Sissy?" Emma asked her father.

"Sure sweetheart," Jon said, setting her down. "Go sit with your sister."

Emma grinned and made a beeline for Caroline.

"She did really great, didn't she?" Jon asked his wife.

"She sure did," Allison said, her eyes focused on her two daughters.

"Allie," Jon said softly. "Don't be like this, okay?"

"Don't start Jon," Allison said. "Not here."

"Where then?" he asked her. "Hmm? Because you haven't said more than a few words to me in days, Allie. I said I was sorry for missing Caroline's recital."

"This is about more than you missing her recital," Allison snapped. "And I said I don't want to get into it here."

Jon folded his arms and shook his head. "Then why don't you talk to me then? Every single time I try you blow me off."

Without another word Allison got up and headed towards Caroline's desk where she was showing Emma where she kept her things.

"Em want desks," Emma said looking at Caroline earnestly.

"You get to have a desk when you come to school," Caroline explained. "But you can pretend this is your desk tonight Em."

Seeing that her girls were okay, Allison decided to check with Mrs. Ramsey to see if she needed any help.

Cammie Foster stood up from her own desk and walked over to Caroline.

"Hi, Caroline," Cammie said.

"Hi, Cammie," Caroline grinned at her. "This is my little sister Emma!"

"Hi, Emma," Cammie said to the younger girl. "So which one are you going to live with then?"

"What do you mean?" Caroline asked.

"I was sitting in front of your mummy and daddy," Cammie said. "And they were fighting."

Caroline didn't understand. "They just get mad sometimes. They always make up."

"That's what I used to say," Cammie said sadly.

"Used to say what?" Caroline was confused.

Cammie leaned in. "Before my mummy and daddy got divorced. That's when your mummy and daddy don't love each other anymore and one of them moves out."

"But my mummy and daddy aren't moving away," Caroline said as Emma grabbed one of her quills.

"One of them has to," Cammie explained. "And then you spend the weekends with your daddy because usually it's the daddy who moves out. And then you might get step mummy or a step daddy if they get married again."

"But I don't want another daddy or mummy," Caroline said.

"You can't choose," Cammie said frowning. "I don't like my step mummy at all, but Daddy makes me be nice to her."

Caroline looked stricken at what Cammie had told her.

"What are you girls whispering about?" Jon asked.

"Nothing Daddy," Caroline said softly.

"I'll see you later," Cammie said making her back to her desk.

"I was just getting another look at your pictures back there," Jon said tweaking her nose. "You did a great---"

His words were cut off by Caroline who had thrown her arms around his neck.

"What's this for?" Jon asked hugging her back.

"Nothing," Caroline said. "I just love you a lot Daddy."

"I love you too," Jon said as Emma joined in on the hug. "Both of you very much."

"I want Mummy, too," Caroline said, her face buried in his shoulder.

"What?" Jon asked her patting her back.

"I want Mummy to hug us too," Caroline said again.

"I don't know where she is sweetheart," Jon said looking around the classroom.

"I don't want you to move out Daddy," Caroline said, tears in her eyes. "I want you to stay with us all the time! And I don't want a new mummy or daddy!"

Jon looked at her in disbelief. "I'm not moving out, Caroline. And you're not going to get a new mummy or daddy. What in the world brought all this up?"

Caroline only shook her head and hugged him again. Emma, who had no idea what was going on, patted her sister's back.

"Shhhh," Jon said his heart breaking at his little girl in tears. "Everything's going to be okay."

"Mummy!" Emma said looking up to see Allison standing in front of them.

"What's wrong?" Allison asked. "Why's Caroline crying?"

"Because you and Daddy are fighting and Daddy's going to move out!" Caroline sobbed.

Allison looked at Jon, her eyes revealing her surprise. "Jon?"

"I don't know what brought this on," Jon said softly. "I came over to check on them and Caroline threw her arms around me. She said she didn't want me to move out and that she didn't want a new mummy or daddy."

"Caroline, angel..." Allison said. "Your daddy's not moving out. And you're not going to have a new mummy or daddy."

"I'm not?" she sniffed. "But Cammie said---"

"Who is Cammie?" Jon asked.

"My friend," Caroline said rubbing her eyes. "S-she heard you fighting."

"Sweetheart we may fight but it doesn't mean I'm moving out," Jon told her gently.

Allison nodded. "That's right, baby. Your daddy's not going anywhere and neither am I."

"Really?" Caroline asked hopefully.

"Really," Allison said giving her a hug. "Mrs. Ramsey has the refreshments ready. Why don't you take Emma in the next room and help her get something?"

"Okay," Caroline said. "Want some biscuits Emma?"

Emma nodded and took her sister's hand.

"We'll be right in," Allison said.

Jon looked at his wife. "So..."

"One of her friends heard us arguing," Allison said quietly.

"Obviously," he said.

"I've never seen her look at us like that," Allison said sitting down at Caroline's desk.

"If we could only talk this out like I've been asking, then perhaps she wouldn't have thought we were separating," Jon said, folding his arms. "Tonight Al. We're going to sit down when we get home and we're going to work this out."

"Okay," Allison said meeting his gaze.

Jon nodded. "Good," he said.

"I don't like this atmosphere between us," Allison said standing up and touching his arm. "I was just so angry."

"I don't like it either," Jon said. "I love you. You and the girls are my life Allie."

"I love you too," she said giving him a kiss. "No matter what."

Jon smiled at her and reached for her hand. "Let's go enjoy the rest of this evening and tonight once the girls are in bed..."

"We'll talk," she finished for him.

"Right," he said, helping her up. "Let's go check on the girls."

"Okay," Allison agreed. "Em's probably eaten her weight in biscuits by now."

"Eat is her favourite word," Jon grinned. "And her favourite thing to do."

"She is a Weasley," Allison said still holding onto her husband's hand.

The rest of the evening went by pretty quickly. They arrived back at the house to a barking Max. Emma, who'd fallen asleep in Jon's arms, opened her eyes and glared down at the dog. "Shhhh, Maxi!"

"Max it's just us," Caroline said. "You're a silly dog."

"I should probably take him outside," Jon said handing Emma off to Allison.

"I'll start getting these princesses ready for bed," Allison said.

"Sleepy," Emma mumbled. "Em want to sleep with Sissy."

"Okay," Allison said with a laugh. "You know you always want to sleep with Sissy."

"I like having Em sleep with me," Caroline said. "I can protect her from the monsters."

"Like a good big sister," Allison said grinning at her.

"I'll be in to give you a kiss good night after I see Max out," Jon promised.

"Okay Daddy," Caroline smiled at him.

Allison led the girls back to Caroline's bedroom and set Emma down on Caroline's bed. "Mummy's going to go get your pyjamas, Em. Be right back."

"Kay," Emma leaned back on the pillow, closing her eyes.

Caroline went over to her set of drawers and pulled out her Jasmine pyjamas. She quickly changed into them and went into the loo to brush her teeth.

"Baby," Allison smiled as she saw her sleeping younger daughter. "You just were too knackered weren't you..."

"Daddy loves Mummy," Emma said sleepily.

"Yes he does sweetheart," Allison gently pulled Emma's shirt off. "And Mummy loves Daddy."

"Always?" Caroline asked from the doorway.

"Always," Allison smiled at her. "Forever and ever."

Caroline sprang onto the bed and hugged her mother.

"And Daddy and I love you and Em more than anything," Allison kissed Caroline's cheek.

Caroline grinned and slid under her covers. She watched as Allison changed Emma into her pyjamas, struggling with the little girl who was now out like a light.

"Night, Mummy."

"Night Angel Girl," Allison said, pressing her lips to Emma's forehead.

Jon stepped in the room and gave each of his daughters a kiss on the cheek. "Sweet dreams my girls."

"Night Daddy," Caroline said, yawning.

Allison turned on Caroline's night light. "You want the door closed or open, Caroline?"

"Open," Caroline said. "Just halfway."

"You've got it," Allison said following Jon out and leaving the door halfway open.

"Want some tea?" he asked once they were in the kitchen.

"That would be great," she replied sitting down.

He nodded, getting the kettle out. "Where do we start?" he asked.

Allison looked thoughtfully at him. "Everything seemed to change after Christmas. Maybe we should start there."

"Okay," he replied, pulling out the teacups. "That's when we started talking about having another baby."

"And we talked about how money was going to be tight," Allison said.

"So I took on my extra client," Jon sat down. "Al..." he rubbed the back of his neck. "There is no extra client."

"What?" Allison asked. "What do you mean?"

"Right after Christmas I took on a job at a Muggle pub," he answered. "That's where I've been all these evenings."

Allison didn't say anything for a few moments letting this sink in. "You took a second job...and didn't tell me? Why?"

"I didn't want you to worry," Jon shook his head.

"Not worry?" Allison asked him incredulously. "I thought you were having a bloody affair with some woman named Victoria O'Malley, for Merlin's sake Jon!"

"How do you know about her?" Jon asked, baffled.

Allison paled. "You're not having an affair with her are you?"

"No!" Jon exclaimed. "Allison she's my boss at the pub!"

"Oh," Allison said quietly. "I-I found a piece of paper in your jeans pocket with her name and number written on it."

"She gave that to me after I missed the recital," Jon said as the kettle whistled. "Told me to ring her if I ever needed another night off."

Allison let out a relieved sigh. "I didn't mean to doubt you, Jon. But you were gone so much and you missed Caroline's recital. I just thought the absolute worst."

"I guess I didn't make it easy," he said. "But Al, we were getting tight on money, even though we don't have a third child."

"Why didn't you tell me?" she asked him. "And don't tell me because you didn't want me to worry. We're married, Jon."

"We have the two girls to look after," Jon said. "We don't have the money to hire a babysitter for them during the day."

"Jon," Allison said standing up and walking over to him. "I was going to take that job with my mum's studio. I'd take Emma in with me and I can pick Caroline up from school and bring her back to the studio. We wouldn't have to hire a babysitter."

"But Al--" he began to protest.

"You don't have to do this all on your own," Allison interjected.

"I just don't want you to..." he sighed.”I don't even know what I'm trying to say here."

"Look at me," she said. "Lizzy and Josh have a nice home and they make a great deal of money. And I'm very happy for them, Jon. But I wouldn't trade places with them for all the money in the world."

"You wouldn't?" he asked softly.

"No," she said smiling up at him. "I've loved you since I was 15 years old. I wouldn't change one moment or one thing about the life we have together."

"I guess sometimes I just feel like I'm not as good as Josh," Jon said. "I mean, he makes a ton of money, he's smart, he's writing a law book for Merlin's sake. I just teach flying and I work in a pub."

"You are brilliant at what you do," Allison said softly. "And you should never feel like you're not as good as Josh. Those two little girls in there think that you're the greatest man that ever walked the earth. And I couldn't have asked for a better husband or a better father for my girls."

Jon pulled his wife onto his lap. "This is why I love you as much as I do." he said gruffly.

"I've missed you," she said leaning against him.

"I missed you too," Jon said. "I hate that sofa now."

Allison laughed. "You won't have to sleep on it tonight." She turned around to look at him. "So you work in a pub? How--how is it? Do you like it?"

"It's not bad," Jon said. "Smells bad, but Victoria's a great boss. She really wants to meet you and the girls."

"And you tend bar?" she asked him.

"I make quite a good drink," Jon said with a grin.

"I think I might like to watch you in action," Allison said giving him a kiss.

Jon kissed her back, running his hands through her long ponytail.

"What about our tea?" Allison asked as Jon trailed kisses down her neck.

"I'd rather have you," Jon said, his eyes closed.

Allison giggled as Jon stood up with her in his arms. "I always did love it when you did that."

"What carry you?" he asked.

Allison nodded. "You've gotten so good at it over the years."

"I've had loads of practise," he grinned at her. "I'm sorry for keeping all this from you Al. And I'm sorry it took Caroline getting so upset for us to finally talk this out."

"Everything's out in the open now," she whispered. "That's all that matters."

"Right," he kissed her again. "And it'll stay that way."

"Speaking of getting things out in the open," she said grinning up at him.

"Are you looking for Boo Bear?" he asked devilishly.

"I am," Allison said nodding. "I've missed him."

"He's missed you too," Jon said, setting her on the bed.

"Show me," she said pulling him down with her.

*** *** ***

"Before I dismiss you," Julie told her fifth-year class of Slytherins and Gryffindors. "Your assignment is to prepare two feet of parchment on Legilmency."

A few Slytherins groaned earning a glare from Saffron.

"Due tomorrow afternoon at the start of class," Julie continued. "The library has a number of excellent texts that should help you. I've left a list with Madam Pince."

"Great," Beth said. "I have so much homework tonight it's not even funny."

"We're all in the same boat," Alexa said.

"I have some books on Legilmency in my trunk," Saffron said. "You guys are welcome to use them if you want."

"I wonder how you got them," a Slytherin girl said icily.

"My father," Saffron said smugly.

"Big surprise," the girl shot back. "I don't even know why you have to take this class."

"Jealous much?" Saffron asked, a glint in her eye.

"I'm not jealous," she said coldly. "I just find it hard to believe that you're not getting special treatment."

"She's not!" Alexa said loyally. "She works very hard for everything she has. And you're one to talk, Baxter. Your father bought your way onto the Slytherin Quidditch team."

Marianne sneered at her. "You're such a little follower O'Leary."

"And you're such a spoiled, selfish snot," Alexa retorted.

Mimi and Beth laughed, making Marianne snarl and stalk away.

"Ugh she's so ugly and pointed," Saffron rolled her eyes.

"And jealous," Alexa said. "I can't stand it when people like her make assumptions like that."

"Me either," Saffron gathered her things. "I have to talk to my sister."

"We'll see you in the library then," Alexa said grabbing her bag. "Come on Beth, Meems..."

"Hey Jules," Saffron said, approaching her sister's desk.

"Hi Saf," Julie said setting her papers aside. "What's up?"

"I just haven't really had a chance to talk to you lately," Saffron said.

"I know," Julie apologised. "But you've been busy. Don't worry. I won't miss the match this weekend. Nick, Greta and the girls are coming, too."

"Great," Saffron said with a grin. "If we win this one we'll be a shoo in for the Cup."

"I think you'll win," Julie said grinning back at her. "And with RJ back, you'll be unbeatable."

"Tell me about it," Saffron said. "I'm so glad he's okay."

"I heard about all you did," Julie said. "RJ's lucky to have such good friends."

"Yeah," Saffron's face grew pink as she thought of RJ's male best friend.

Julie grinned. "Saffy, you are blushing."

"I can't help it Jules," Saffron's face nearly split, her smile was so big. "It's all Andrew Kirke's fault."

"Want to talk about it?" Julie asked. "I know I'm not Mum, but---"

"He told me he loves me!" Saffron burst out.

"Saffy," Julie said in surprise. "Oh my God!"

"I know," Saffron said. "And I feel the same way. I just can't stop thinking about him Julie. I want to be with him all the time."

Julie grinned. "It's your lunch now, isn't it?"

"Yes," Saffron nodded.

"Come back into my office," Julie said. "Greta made vegetable soup for me. As usual, she gave me way too much."

"Oooh," Saffron said. "I love her vegetable soup."

"And fresh bread," Julie said putting an arm around her sister and leading her back to her office. "I've had a heating charm on it. How about you split it with me and tell me more about this Andrew Kirke."

"Sure," Saffron agreed.

"We should do this more often," Julie said.

"I know," Saffron nodded. "At least once a week?"

"It's a date," Julie said smiling at her. She pulled out the basket of bread and offered it to her sister. "I love Greta's bread."

"I do too," Saffron said, taking the knife in the basket and slicing the bread.

"I really felt bad for taking her away from you," Julie said. "I know how close you guys are."

"It's okay Jules," Saffron said. "Mum and Dad were right- I'm not around and you need help more than I do."

"Now more than ever," Julie agreed. "You know Greta cried for the first month she was with us? She missed you so much. And she's always telling me to make sure that you're eating well and getting enough sleep and not pushing yourself too hard."

Saffron smiled. "I'll come see her on Easter hols."

"She'll love that," Julie said. "It will give her a break from Katie and Ashley, who I swear have decided to make it their mission in life to drive all of us completely mad."

"So they're still fighting all the time?" Saffron asked. "They're worse than me and Ethan."

"We're still having trouble with Katie and trying to get her to realise that she's not the centre of the universe," Julie said with a sigh. "And then Ashley steps in to correct Katie and you can imagine what happens next."

"I'm sure Katie just loves being told what to do by Ash," Saffron rolled her eyes.

"Oh yes," Julie said. "They fight all the time, Saf. Almost every single day. I try and tell them that someday they'll want to be friends and they both look at me as if I've just lost my mind."

"Have them look at me and Ethan," Saffron said with a giggle. "When we're getting along that is."

"Which is rare," Julie teased. There was a knock on her office door and she shared an amused look with Saffron. "Come in..."

Severus Snape opened the door and as Saffron had her back to the professor, she couldn't help rolling her eyes and making a goofy face. Julie stifled a laugh.

"Yes, Severus?" Julie asked.

"Professor," Snape said with a sneer. "It's not very wise to fraternize with students now is it?"

"She's my sister," Julie said coolly. "What can I help you with?"

"Professor Dumbledore wanted to know if you'd be willing to take over the chaperone duties for the next Hogsmeade weekend." Snape asked in a chilly tone. "I am unable to do so."

"Sure," Julie said. "Is that all?"

"Surely you know Miss Potter is expected to eat her meals in the Great Hall," Snape said folding his arms.

"Miss Potter is my sister, Professor," Julie said as calmly as she could. "She has every right to eat lunch with me if I invite her to do so. As we are not bothering you, I have no idea why you should be concerned."

Saffron wanted so much to laugh at the look on Snape's face but wisely held her tongue.

"Thank you," Snape said quietly before walking out of the office and closing the door behind him.

"What a wanker," Saffron said. "Why should he care where and when I have my lunch? He'd be happy if I starved to death!"

"He's looking for anything to use against me," Julie said. "He's been at it since day one."

"He's just mad you're a better professor than he is," Saffron said.

"And he still wants this job," Julie said.

"Think you'll be back next year?" Saffron cut herself another piece of bread.

"I love being here," Julie confessed. "It's even better than I thought it would be. And having you here is icing on the cake."

Saffron grinned. "So you want to know more about Andrew?"

"Yes please," Julie said grinning back at her. "Don't leave anything out, Saffy."

"He's so cute," Saffron sat back in her chair. "And he treats me so good. It's like whenever we're together, it's just the two of us, no one else."

Julie smiled. "That's great, Saffy."

"Do you think we're too young to be in love?" Saffron asked her sister.

"Dad probably does," Julie teased. "But I think you know how you feel, Saffy.

"I do," Saffron hugged herself. "And it was so sweet when he told me Jules."

"When did he tell you?" Julie asked.

"The night of the ball," Saffron said. "After we got back from the hospital wing, I asked him to dance with me in the common room since we hadn't had a chance at the ball."

"Awwww," Julie gushed.

"What was it like for you; the first time Nick told you he loved you?" Saffron asked.

"Scared, nervous, happy and excited all at once," Julie said thoughtfully.

"That's exactly how I felt!" Saffron said. "And then once I said it back, I just felt completely... elated."

"I'm happy for you," Julie said touching her sister's arm. "He seems like such a great boy, Saffy."

"He is," Saffron glowed. "And Dad even likes him."

Julie giggled. "You should take advantage of that. He never liked Peter and I'm not so sure he cared that much for Sean. I think that's because you're his baby."

"Dad never liked Sean?" Saffron asked.

"He didn't really know him," Julie said quickly. "And that was the first boy you ever dated."

"Sean and I still keep in touch," Saffron said. "Peter was so jealous of that, but I don’t think Andrew really minds it."

"That's great," Julie said. "You know I seem to remember an 11 year old girl who swore up and down she'd never, ever fancy a boy because they were stupid and smelly and completely immature."

Saffron laughed. "That was until this past year and I came back and noticed how cute they all got."

Julie laughed. "Don't let Dad hear you say that."

"He won't hear it from me," Saffron grinned. "Do you think they'd let Andrew come to Brighton with us this year?"

"I'm sure they wouldn't especially if he goes with RJ," Julie replied.

Saffron finished her soup. "I'm glad we get to do stuff like this," she said to her sister.

"I know," Julie said. "I'm going to hold you to this once a week thing. I'll even see if Greta can prepare some of your old favourites."

"That'd be great," Saffron said happily. "Hogwarts food is fantastic, but nothing compares to Greta's cooking."

"I will tell her you said that," Julie said leaning over and giving her sister a hug. "You can come and talk to me anytime, Saffy. I hope you know that."

"You have Charms next, right?" Julie asked.

Saffron nodded. "I love that class."

"Flitwick's great isn't he?" Julie said.

"He's so adorable," Saffron laughed. "I love how tiny he is."

"Don't let him hear you say that," Julie warned.

"I won't," Saffron promised. "What year are you teaching next?"

"Second year Hufflepuffs and Ravenclaws," Julie replied.

"They've got to be better than Slytherins," Saffron made a face.

"Saffy," Julie chastised. "Not all Slytherins are bad."

"Yes they are," Saffron said. "Like Marianne Baxter- first year she was actually nice. Now she's as snobby as the rest of them."

"Just don't fall into their traps," Julie said. "They want to get a rise out of you. They want to get you into trouble. I know as well as anyone how hard it is to just sit there and take it, but you have to try and ignore them, Saffy."

"Well if they act up I can take points," Saffron said gleefully. "But I'm not abusing my power, I promise."

Julie laughed. "Good girl."

Together, they walked out of the office and Saffron grabbed her bag.

"Dad wanted me to tell you that Puddles is being a tough student when it comes to potty training," Julie said. "Apparently, your little puppy left a surprise for Dad when he woke up the other morning. It wasn't pretty. Mum was laughing so hard when she told me."


Saffron giggled. "I miss him so much. My little baby."

"He is adorable," Julie agreed. "Ash is trying to think of a way to convince Dad to let her have him."

"No way," Saffron said. "He's my little angel!"

"Don't worry," Julie said as some of her second-year students came into the classroom. "Puddles is yours for better or for worse, Saf."


"Better for me," Saffron said. "Worse for Dad."


"Professor Malfoy?" a Ravenclaw boy asked nervously. "I was wondering if you could answer a few questions for me?"

"Sure, Jeremiah," Julie said. "I'll be right with you."

"I'll let you go," Saffron said. "Thanks for sharing your lunch with me Jules."

"No problem," Julie said grinning at her. "I'll see you tomorrow and don't forget your essay, Miss Potter."

"It's already half finished," Saffron teased.

Julie shook her head and laughed before turning her attention back to her student.

Saffron had hoped to catch up with Andrew, but it was two minutes until her next class. She made her way quickly to the Charms classroom and settled in beside Alexa.

"Everything okay?" Alexa asked. "We missed you at lunch."

"Yeah I just had lunch with my sister," Saffron said. "I told her what Andrew said to me."

Alexa grinned. "You're so lucky that your sister's here."

"I know I love talking to her," she said. "And you too of course. You were the first person I told about that."

"Great news," Alexa whispered as Professor Flitwick came into the classroom. "RJ's meeting with that scout this afternoon after his classes. They sent him an owl this morning. He was going to tell me, but he overslept as usual."

"That's great," Saffron was genuinely happy for her friend. "He's really going to be great for Puddlemere."

"And Andrew told me to tell you that he is going to spend time with you tonight whether you like it or not," Alexa said grinning at her best friend. "He received a letter from a couple of scouts too. Wimbourne and Montrose were the two teams, I believe. He said it was okay if I told you and that he'd show you the letters when he saw you tonight."

Saffron grinned. "We'll work on our essays right after dinner and get them done so we can be with our guys tonight."

"Work before play," Alexa whispered with a giggle.

"Lots of play," Saffron said, nudging her.


”Saf!” Alexa said, her face red.

"Shhhh..." Saffron said, trying not to laugh.


"You started it," Alexa said covering her mouth to stop her giggles.


Professor Flitwick gave them a disapproving glance as the two girls straightened up and tried to stop laughing.

101. 101!!!

A lot of you guys keep wondering how long this is going to go- answer is we’re not even sure. We think of new storylines ALL the time and more characters as well so things will be going on for quite awhile yet.

In this chapter you find out something you’ve been wondering for quite some time. Also, Heaven has updated the Sims page so the Drew/Darla Sims work and there’s now an Andrew for you to download in the Misc section. More to come soon! Please review!!!

Later that evening, RJ, Andrew and Jason were sitting in their dorm room. Alexa and Saffron were in the library finishing up their homework and they were supposed to meet the boys in the common room and then go down to dinner.

"How did you manage to get two teams interested in you?" Jason asked Andrew. "I can't even get one."

"That's because you're rubbish," Andrew said dryly.

"Sod off," Jason frowned at him. "It's because you didn't let me on the bloody team."

"Face it Jas," RJ said. "Imelda cleaned your clock at tryouts."


Jason glared at both of them. "I'm going to visit with Monica," he said, tossing his book aside.

"Does she fly better than you too?" Andrew couldn't resist asking.

Jason answered by sticking up his middle finger before heading out of the common room.

Andrew and RJ both laughed. "You think we went a bit too far?" Andrew asked.

"With him?" RJ asked. "Who cares?"

"So how did your big meeting go?" Andrew asked. "Puddlemere for sure?"

"Yeah," RJ said with a huge grin. "Already have me on contract- I start in July!"

"No way!" Andrew exclaimed. "That's fantastic? How big is your contract?"

RJ wrote a figure on a piece of parchment. "That much," he revealed. "But don't tell anyone other than Saf okay?

"Shite," Andrew said staring at the paper. "RJ....I didn't even know they could write cheques that large."

"That's what I'll be making a year," RJ grinned even wider. "And if we get to the Quidditch Cup..."

"Don't tell me you get even more," Andrew groaned.

"Okay I won't say it," RJ laughed.

"Don't forget us when you’re rich and famous and I'm warming the bench for Wimbourne," Andrew said.

"I won't, unless I'm kicking your arse," RJ joked.

"So you going to get some posh flat too?" Andrew asked. "With your own cook and butler?"

"A place of my own, definitely," RJ said. "I'm going to start looking soon as we leave school."

"With the money Wimbourne's offering me, I'll be lucky if my parents still let me live at home," Andrew joked.

"You should hold out until you get a better offer," RJ encouraged.

"I'm lucky I got two offers," Andrew said. "I wasn't expecting one."

"You're great at Quidditch," RJ replied as he saw Saffron and Alexa climb into the portrait hole.

"Not as good as you superstar," Andrew said waving the girls over.

"How'd it go?" Alexa asked excitedly.

"Great," RJ swung her around before planting a kiss on her.

"They signed the bloody bastard," Andrew said grinning at RJ.

"Already?" Alexa asked.

"You're signed to Puddlemere?" Saffron nearly shrieked.

"I start in July," RJ said a wide smile on his face.

"That's fantastic," Alexa said happily. "Congratulations you!" she kissed him again.

"Puddlemere must be pretty desperate," Saffron teased.

"Only if they signed you," RJ teased back as Andrew pulled his girlfriend onto his lap.

"And what's this I hear about you?" Saffron asked. "Two teams?"

He grinned at her. "Wimbourne is really interested, but they're nowhere near making me quite as good an offer as Puddlemere is giving RJ."

"You should negotiate," Saffron said. "Make them give you a good offer."

"I told him to wait before he signs anything," RJ said.

"Like you did?" Saffron asked. "Were Uncle Ron and Aunt Luna there? Because they should have been, RJ. I think they'd be the best---"

"I don't need them holding my hand, Aunt Hermione," RJ said rolling his eyes. "You sounded just like her then, Saf."

"I consider that a compliment," Saffron smiled sweetly.

"They made me a great offer and I'd have been a fool not to take it," RJ said defensively. "And I'm sure Mum and Dad would be pleased."

"Did you read over the contract though?" Saffron asked. "Did you read the fine print or were you blinded by the money?"

"I read it," RJ said crossing his arms. "I'm not stupid Saf."

"I didn't say you were," Saffron said. "I just remember Ethan telling me about this mate of his who signed this big contract with the Cannons and he ended up losing his fortune over some clause they had in there about him getting injured."

"I was careful, I promise," RJ calmed down as Alexa hugged him.

"What happened to the guy?" Andrew asked Saffron.

"Ethan said he changed right after he got all that money," Saffron said. "The money and fame went to his head and he turned his back on his friends and family who tried to warn him and then when he was injured, he lost it all."

"That's not going to be me," RJ said confidently.

"I'm sure he said the same thing," Saffron said. "I'm not trying to bring you down, RJ. I just don't want the same thing to happen to you."

"Thanks Saf," RJ said with a broad smile. "I doubt you'd let me get a fat head."

"You already have a fat head," she said laughing.

Andrew tickled her. "You haven't even congratulated me," he said with an injured tone.

Saffron giggled. "I'm sorry. I am very proud of you, Andrew you know that."

"I think he wants a snog," RJ said nudging her.

"He doesn't need to ask for one of those," Saffron said, turning and shamelessly pressing her mouth to Andrew's.

"W-what were we talking about?" Andrew asked a few moments later when they broke apart. He had a dazed, goofy expression on his face which caused Saffron to giggle.

"Nothing," she said, giving him another kiss.

"Did you tell your family?" Alexa asked RJ. "About your contract, I mean?"

"I have to owl them," RJ said. "I was too excited to sit down though."

"Your dad will be so proud," Alexa said smiling at him.

"I'm just glad you're proud of me," he grinned back at her.

"Of course," Alexa said giving him a kiss. "This is what you've always wanted. Your dream is coming true, RJ."

RJ spun her around again. "You get your essay done?"

"Yes," Alexa said laughing. "Two feet of parchment exactly. Saffy has four and a half."

"Saffron's a nerd," RJ called out to his best friend, who was snogging the lights out of his other best friend.

"I don't think she cares," Alexa said.

"We should not care too," RJ said impishly.

"I have some reading I really need to catch up on," Alexa said pulling a serious face. "And there is this extra credit assignment I'm doing for McGonagall and I have----"

RJ pulled her close and gave her a long, passionate kiss.

"Whoa!" a couple of first-years exclaimed gawking at them. "I think he's trying to suck her face off!"

Alexa heard this and began giggling.

"Hi girls," RJ said pulling away from Alexa.

The two girls turned beet red before beating a hasty retreat for the stairs.

"You know, Saffron and Andrew are worse than we are and no one says a word to them," RJ complained.

"You could take it as a compliment," Alexa said. "You draw a crowd, RJ."

RJ looked pleased at her choice of words. "Guess that'll come in handy in a few months." he boasted.

"When he's living in his posh flat," Andrew said. "And eating food that he can't pronounce and having some maid at his beck and call."

"You're going to have your own place?" Alexa asked.

"Hell yeah," RJ said. "Andrew, maybe you want to move in with me."

"I don't imagine I could afford the rent," Andrew said. "But thanks for the offer."

RJ nodded. "Maybe we can work something out. When my brothers moved in together they had a blast."

"Jules said they nearly killed each other," Saffron said staring at him.

"At first," RJ reminded her. "After awhile they were fine and it was really fun."

"Like you remember," Saffron said rolling her eyes. "You were what...three?"

"Allie and Lizzy told me," RJ said defensively. "They were there all the time!"

"I'm sure they were on their best behaviour when their girlfriends were over there," Saffron argued. "And beside, who would want to live with you? You are the messiest human being on the planet and keep in mind I grew up with Ethan."

"I love you too Saf," RJ said sarcastically. "Why don't you go back to snogging your boyfriend?"

"You are messy!" Saffron argued, enjoying their banter. "Come on, RJ. You never make up your bed. You have clothes all over the floor in your room at home. Not to mention those awful posters you have on your wall! Veelas, for Merlin's sake!"

"So what?" RJ asked. "It's better than having posters of Oliver Wood! The bloke is ancient now!"

"He is not ancient!" Saffron exclaimed. "He's aged very well and he has meant a lot to the game! I like him as much for his playing ability as I do for his....for his...."

"Whatever," RJ replied, grinning at her.

"He's a whole lot better than Serena Starr," Saffron huffed. "Talk about your ditzy, air-headed, bleached blonde...."

"She's a smart girl," RJ said.

"SMART?" Saffron nearly shrieked.

"I read an interview with her and she said that she loves to read," RJ said.

"Big deal," Saffron slid onto Andrew's lap.

"She's got a lovely voice," Andrew said. "I listened to her latest song on the Wireless over Christmas and..."

"Of course you'd stick up for him," Saffron snorted.

"I'm not sticking up for anyone," Andrew said with a laugh. "I think she's a great singer."

"You like her, don't you, Lex?" RJ asked.

"No," Alexa admitted. "She sounds off-key most of the time."

"Thank you!" Saffron said nodding. "She does!"

"You girls are just jealous," Andrew teased.

"Jealous?" Saffron asked standing up. "I am not jealous! And Junior here saying that half-wit likes to read. I imagine any book she reads would have to have pictures and small words!"

"All right, all right," Andrew said hastily, recognising the look in Saffron's eyes. "She's a half wit talent less broad who no one really likes."

"Except for blokes who can't see past her big---" Saffron started to say, but Andrew put his hand over her mouth.

"There are young ones about," he said.

"You're right," Saffron said nodding. "RJ is but a wee child."

"Hey!" RJ protested.

"Yes, Cassandra?" Saffron asked.

"Pepper," RJ retorted.

"Half-wit," Saffron shot back.

"All right you guys," Alexa broke in. "How about we stop this before you two begin fighting yet again?"

"Why don't we get the wireless and play that airhead's new hit "Spell My Love'?" Saffron asked.

"How about we go for a walk instead?" Alexa asked. "Come on, RJ. You can tell me more about your meeting with that scout."

"Sure," RJ grinned at her.

"Wait," Saffron said. "Take my cloak so no one spots you."

"You could give them a detention for sneaking out," Andrew whispered.

"I could," Saffron giggled as Alexa ran upstairs to get the cloak. "But I don't think I'm that mean."

"Too bad Lex can't move in with you," Andrew said to his best friend. "She and Saf'll still have two more years left here."

"I know," RJ sat down on the sofa arm.

"I think that sucks," Saffron announced. "I'm going to miss having you both here."

"Even little old me?" RJ asked dramatically.

"I'll miss Andrew more," Saffron leaned against her boyfriend.

"Who will you argue with when I'm gone?" RJ asked.

"Good question," Saffron replied. "I'm sure I'll find someone."

"During Christmas hols, I'll have to throw some parties," RJ said. "I'll invite some of my new team mates."

"I'm sure your team mates will love having two school girls tagging along," Saffron said giggling.

Andrew squeezed her side. "Two gorgeous girls like you and Lexie? They'll be trying to pry you away from us."

“Right," Saffron said smiling as Alexa came back downstairs.

"Sorry it took so long," Alexa said. "Beth borrowed it and didn't put it back where it belonged."

"Hang on," Saffron said her eyes narrowing. "When did Beth borrow my cloak?"

"I don't know," Alexa said. "She just told me where it was and when I asked her how she knew, she told me she'd used it a few days ago."

"That little sneak!" Saffron said folding her arms.

"Well now you know who to argue with," RJ said cheekily, tossing the cloak over him and Alexa.

"Honestly," Saffron huffed. "My things just aren't up for grabs you know."

"You have some cool stuff," Andrew said. "Come on, Saf. That map and the cloak..."

"But that doesn't mean just anyone can borrow them," Saffron crossed her arms.

"You should put a charm or something on them," Andrew suggested. "That way if someone takes them without permission...."

"Oooh good idea," Saffron beamed at him.

"I do have a couple every now and then," Andrew said leaning back on the sofa and bringing Saffron closer. "I will miss you next year and spending nights like this with you."

"Tell me about it," Saffron put her head on his shoulder.

"Too bad you're not graduating too," Andrew said softly.

"Two bloody years," Saffron groaned. "For once I don't want to be in school."

"I never thought I'd hear you say that," Andrew teased.

"It's all your fault you know," Saffron said, grinning at him.

"I've led you astray," Andrew said laughing.

"You have," Saffron kissed him. "Made me fall all head over heels for you..."

"You couldn't resist my charm," Andrew said squeezing her.

"And you can't resist mine either," Saffron laughed.

"I just wish I'd made a move sooner," Andrew said. "We wasted a great deal of the year."

"Yeah," Saffron rolled her eyes. "Me with Peter..."

"Seems like a lifetime ago," Andrew said. "And at least he redeemed himself a little when he came forward about his part in Christina's plan."

"Yeah," Saffron said. "Maybe there's hope for him after all. But not with me. I'm completely hooked on you."

Andrew gave her a kiss. "Love you, Saf."

"Love you," she whispered, pressing her lips to his again.

"It's freezing up here," RJ said as Alexa slipped out from under the cloak. They'd gone up to the Astronomy Tower after nearly getting caught by Filch.

"You big baby," Alexa teased. "Come on. We can look at the stars."

"I don't want to look at the stars," RJ said. "I want to snog you."

"You're not being very romantic," she teased.

"What's more romantic than wanting to snog you under the stars?" RJ asked, putting his arms around her.

"You said you didn't want to look at the stars," she said softly looking up at him.

"I want to snog under the stars," he grinned.

"Sounds much better than sucking my face off," Alexa teased.

"I'm much more romantic than that," RJ smirked.

Alexa laid her head on his on his chest. Tears welled up in her eyes.

"What's wrong?" he asked, stroking her hair. "Lexie you're crying..."

"I just---I'm glad you're okay," she said quietly. "I was so afraid."

"I'm fine," he said, kissing the top of her head. "I'm fine and more in love with you than ever Lex. Even her stupid potion didn't really stop me from loving you."

"I know," Alexa said sobbing into his shoulder. "I'm sorry. The last thing you want is me acting like a human hosepipe."

RJ smiled. "It's all right Lexie. I put you through an awful lot. I'm lucky you still want to stick around."

Alexa pulled away and rubbed at her eyes. "And it's hard to think of being here without you next year."

"I hate thinking of that too," he said.

"Come on," she said. "You'll be practising with your new team mates and you'll be starting this new, exciting life."

"That you'll still be a part of," he said, looking down at her.

"You'll write to me and I'll write to you and we'll have holidays," Alexa said smiling shyly up at him. "And maybe you could come up for Hogsmeade weekends."

"Every Hogsmeade weekend," RJ said. "And you'll come to my matches while you're on holiday."

"Right," Alexa said. "We'll make the distance work."

"Without a doubt," RJ kissed her softly.

"I love you," she said looping her arms around his neck.

"I love you," he said before kissing her again, deeper this time.

Alexa shivered as RJ's hand slid under her jumper.

"This okay?" he asked huskily.

She nodded. "Your hands are a little cold is all."

"Sorry," he whispered, kissing under her ear. "I'll warm them up a bit..."

"It's...its okay," she whispered back.

"Okay," RJ kissed her again, pulling her as close as he could.

She gasped as RJ's hand again slid under her jumper. His hand wasn't as cold as before and the way he was kissing her, she felt quite warm.

"This all right Lexie?" he asked, barely pulling his lips from hers.

"It's fine," she breathed.

"Okay," he said, pressing his mouth to hers. His hand crept up until his fingers found her bra.

She giggled as he tried to unclasp it.

"In the back," she whispered. "It's in the back."

"Okay," he said, suddenly nervous. RJ wasn't sure exactly why he was nervous, but he supposed it was due to the fact that he truly cared about this girl and didn't want to make her uncomfortable in any way.

"I-I'm scared," she said looking up at him. "But, I trust you."

"I won't push you," he said, looking at her earnestly. "I promise Lexie."

She smiled. "I'm scared that I don't know what to do."

He almost laughed. "It's okay," he said. "And I'll put a warming charm on the cloak."

"Okay," she said watching as he took out his wand.

"There that's better," RJ said as they huddled underneath the cloak.

"Nice and warm," she said softly. "Just like you."

RJ kissed her neck as he fumbled again for her bra. "Just let me know," he breathed, kissing her ear. "When you want to stop..."

"Okay," she whispered.

He pushed her down, knowing that their legs were probably sticking out from the cloak but he didn't care. Gently and slowly, he pushed up on her jumper.

The stone floor was a little uncomfortable, but Alexa quickly forgot that as one of RJ's hands cupped her breast.

He grunted into her mouth, kissing her even harder than before.

Alexa arched against him and felt something hard on her belly. She wasn't very experienced, but she definitely knew what that was. If she was capable of a coherent thought at the moment, she would revel in the fact that she was the cause of that.

"You are incredible you know," RJ's lips skimmed over her neck as he ran his hands over her warm skin.

"Me?" she couldn't stop herself from asking.

"You," he answered, pushing up on her jumper some more and kissing between her breasts.

Alexa bit her lip and ran her hands through RJ's hair.

"Yeah," he said, his eyes closed. "Keep doing that Lexie..."

"This?" she asked, her hands massaging his scalp.

"Yes," he hissed.

She did as he requested, but it wasn't nearly enough. She wanted more and emboldened by the darkness, she brought her hands down to his trousers.

RJ let out a strangled moan as she did that.

She hesitated just a moment unsure of exactly what she was doing. A part of her wondered if now might be a good place to stop, but RJ as if sensing her doubts, kissed her.

"That's it," he said between kisses. "Lexie you are amazing..."

"I love you," she whispered. "And I---"

"You what?" he paused when she hesitated.

"I want to be with you----really be with you someday," she said turning red as she said this.

"You do?" he smiled down at her, tucking her hair behind her ear.

"Maybe when you're out of school and have your own place," she said biting her lip. "And we could make it really special."

"I meant it when I told you whenever you're ready," he told her. "I'll wait for you Lexie."

"Things might change," she said quietly. "Once your on your own and I'm still here."

"We can make it work," RJ insisted.

"We will make it work," she said looking up at him.

"Right," RJ kissed her again. "We've already made it through a lot."

"And if we can make it past what Christina did, I think we have a good chance," she said softly.

"Damn straight," he agreed.

"I love you, you know?" she asked as he lay down beside her and she cuddled up against him, resting her head on his chest.

“I love you;" he kissed the top of her head, closing his eyes as the scent of her shampoo overtook him. "Very, very much."

Alexa grinned. "I wish we could stay up here all night."

"Tell me about it," he laughed. "But I think we'd wake up as icicles."

"Not a good thing," Alexa giggled.

"No," he groaned. "And we should probably get back soon, unfortunately."

"Before Filch finds us," Alexa said.

"Or Saffron," he said, helping her clasp her bra again.

"Admit it," Alexa said pulling her jumper back down. "You are scared of Saffy."

"She's scary when she's in a strop," RJ said defensively. "Even Ethan is scared of her."

"I give thanks every day that I'm on her good side," Alexa said. "Mimi and Beth walk on egg shells around her most of the time."

RJ laughed. "And Beth borrowing her cloak will bring up some drama later I'm sure."

"If you strain your ears, I'm sure you can hear the yelling," Alexa said giggling.

"Maybe Andrew's diffused her anger," RJ snorted as they got up. "They snog more than we do."

"Competitive, aren't we?" Alexa asked teasingly.

"A little," RJ replied. "Nothing wrong with that."

"I think we caught up with them tonight," Alexa said blushing.

"Might have," RJ kissed her. "Should we head back?"

"Probably," Alexa replied. "I still have some reading to do."

"I've got an essay to finish too," RJ groaned. "I don't know why I bother. I've already got my career planned out."

"You don't want to feel like your seven years here were a waste though," Alexa said encouragingly. "I remember being at your Nana's for Christmas. She's still talking about how disappointed she was that your uncles didn't finish."

"I guess I can't disappoint her," RJ said as they left the tower.

"And you know," Alexa said. "If something happens, you'll have your education to fall back on. Not that it will, mind you. I'm just saying...."

"Right," he smiled at her. "Good thing I got myself a smart girlfriend."

"I don't know about all that," Alexa said. "I still don't know what I want to do with the rest of my life. We did have a career talk with McGonagall though. And I was thinking I might like to....it's not important."

"Like to what?" he asked. "Tell me Lexie."

"I've never told anyone this," Alexa said. "Not even Saffy."

"You don't have to say it if you don't want to," RJ squeezed her hand.

"No, it's okay," she said looking up at him. "Ever since I was little, I've liked to write. I have so many journals back at home with these little stories. No one's ever read them. And I'm probably being stupid because there's no way I could make a living at it. Most of it's rubbish."

"You want to be a writer?" he grinned. "I think you'd be a perfect writer Lexie."

"You've never read it," Alexa said. "How would you know that?"

"Because I know you're talented, smart and headstrong," RJ said. "And you're like Saffy, where you can do whatever you want to do if you put your mind to it."

Alexa smiled. "Really?"

"Without a doubt," RJ said as they arrived back in front of the portrait hole.

"Home again," Alexa said whispering the password and watching as the portrait swung open.

RJ pulled the cloak off them as they went into the common room. "I hope no one touched my books," he said.

There were only a couple of students in the common room now and Alexa looked over to one of the tables and saw Ewan staring back at her.

"Hi," he said giving her a little wave.

"Hi Ewan," she said softly. "How... how are you?"

"Okay," he said closing his books. "Been kind of busy."

"I never thanked you for going to get help that night," RJ said. "Thanks."

Ewan shrugged. "I didn't really do anything."

"Yes you did," Alexa argued. "You got Madam Pomfrey so fast I thought you flew to the infirmary."

"He looked kind of bad," Ewan said. "Anyone would have done the same, Lexie."

"It was just really nice of you," Alexa insisted.

"I wish things could have been different," Ewan said giving Alexa a meaningful look. "I-I'll see you later. I'm glad you're both okay."

"Ewan," Alexa went after him. "I'm really sorry... I know you were sort of hoping... well that you kind of wanted..."

"We can't always get what we want," Ewan said with a wry smile. "It's okay. I want you to be happy and if...if RJ Weasley does that...."

"He does," Alexa said quietly. "I love him very much. And I hope you're happy someday too. You're a really great guy Ewan."

"Great guy," Ewan said smiling at her. "At least you didn't say you thought of me as a brother."

She laughed. "I don't think of you as a brother."

"I'll see you around," he said grinning at her. "Good night, Lexie."

RJ stood off to the side trying not to listen. It was obvious that Ewan still fancied his girlfriend.

"Night Ewan," Alexa said before returning to the table where RJ had just sat. "Wonder where Saffy and Andrew got off to..."

"It's late," RJ said. "They probably went upstairs. That bloke still fancies you, you know that, right?"

"It shouldn't make a difference," Alexa said. "I love you."

"I know," RJ said pulling her in his lap. "I was just making an observation."

Alexa kissed him. "Don't get all jealous on me now," she said teasingly.

"I'm not jealous," RJ scoffed.

"Good," she kissed him again. "Come on, let's get our homework finished."

"Okay, okay," RJ said. "Don't distract me then."

"Look who's talking," Alexa took a seat on the other side of the table.

"O'Leary, be quiet," RJ said pulling a serious face. "I have to finish this essay."

Alexa rolled her eyes and flipped open her Charms text.

"Goblin Revolutions," RJ said reading from his text. "Has this ever been interesting? Ever?"

"Be quiet," Alexa imitated his tone. "I have to finish this reading."

"You started it," RJ said turning the page.

"I didn't say a bloody word," Alexa protested.

"You just did," RJ said trying not to look at her and trying not to laugh.

She gave him her best Saffron glare in response.

"You can't pull that off," he teased finally looking up at her.

"Maybe I'll just tell her to come down here then," Alexa replied.

"Okay," RJ said quickly. "We'll both be quiet so we can get our work done. No need to bring Pepper down here."

Alexa smiled in triumph as she got back to her reading.

*** *** ***

Maddie and her wedding party, minus Saffron, had finally found a Saturday when all of them were free to shop for bridesmaid dresses. "What colours were you lot interested in?" Drew asked. "That will help narrow things down quite a bit."

"Maddie's colours are blue and silver, right?" Frankie asked.

"Yes," Darla replied.

"Is it a dark blue, Mads?" Chiaki asked. "Or light blue?"

"Light blue would be nicer," Maddie replied. "I like that shade better."

"I think blue would look lovely on all of us," Frankie said.

"Better than silver," Allison said. "Although perhaps we could have silver accents on the gowns."

"I think I have something just like that," the shopgirl said. "I'll be right back."

Maddie smiled at her wedding party. "I'm so glad all of you are here," she said.

"Of course," Allison said smiling at her sister-in-law.

"This is just so exciting," Maddie grinned. "I'm finally marrying Ethan!"

"After how many years of wishing, waiting and hoping?" Frankie teased her best friend. "Hmmmm?"

"And telling him that he was going to marry me and having him deny it?" Maddie joked.

Julie laughed. "I'm still trying to get over that list Saffron sent to you about things you need to know before you marry my big prat of a brother."

"That was hilarious!" Chiaki laughed.

"And most of them I already knew," Maddie giggled. "She's something else."

"She is that," Julie said.

"I'm going to need a copy of that," Frankie said. "Needling Ethan is one of my most favourite things in the world."

"He loves to give it right back," Julie grinned. "Ethan and you are so much like Dad and Aunt Lav."

"Deep down we care about each other," Frankie said giggling. Everyone was silent as the shop girl wheeled out a rack of dresses just as Allison had described.

"Some of these are strapless," the shopgirl explained. "And some have spaghetti straps...."

"We don't want strapless," Maddie said. "But spaghetti straps would be lovely, especially since it's outdoor in August."

"You could do variations on the bodice," Drew suggested. "And on the beading...each of you could be unique."

"That was a hit at a wedding we did last year," Darla added.

"I love that idea," Maddie said looking at her bridesmaids. "If you guys do, too."

Julie and Frankie nodded. "We do," they said.

Drew smiled. "How about we each pick out the design we like best and try it on?"

"Sounds good to me," Chiaki said. "I'm finally back to my old size."

Allison rolled her eyes. "Because you were just so enormous Chi."

"I gained too much with the twins," Chiaki protested. "I was huge."

Frankie shared a look with her sister. "You looked gorgeous every day of your pregnancy." she told her sister.

"You are sweet," Chiaki said. "Deluded, but sweet."

"Whatever," Frankie said, picking out an elaborately beaded top. "I think I've found mine," she said.

"We'll all get the same skirt," Drew told them. "Julie and Maddie, it'd be good if you both picked out a few tops for Saffron to choose from."

Julie nodded. "I borrowed RJ's camera to take some pictures for her."

"Good thinking," Maddie said, looking through the pretty dresses.

Allison stood up to go through the rack and immediately sat back down. She felt a little dizzy.

"You okay, Al?" Frankie asked.

"I think so," Allison said. "Just a little headache is all..."

"Would you like some water, Mrs. Weasley?" one of the assistants asked. "Or perhaps some juice?"

"No thank you," Allison said. "I'll just sit down for a few minutes." she wanted her best friend to get there so she could ask her about coming in for a check up.

Darla went over some of the specifics with a shop assistant. "One of the bridesmaids is away at school and the other one is due any minute. I was hoping you could also bring out some of the accessories?"

"Sure," the salesgirl nodded.

"You two have to pick out a dress too," Maddie said to her sisters.

"We know," Drew smiled. "We're just used to having everything out first."

"I can't tell you how much it means to have you guys do this for me," Maddie said giving Drew a hug.

"Mad Dog you're our baby sister," Drew hugged her back. "We're happy to do this for you."

"The way Drew's going," Darla said with a look at her twin. "She just might be next."

"We just started dating," Drew protested. "Don't try pushing me down the aisle just yet Dar."

"I see good things ahead for you," Maddie said causing Drew to gape at her. "I haven't had any visions per se....but I have a good feeling about him, Drew."

"Thanks Mad Dog," Drew said. "What about Mr. Big German for Dar?"

"Hans and I are just having fun," Darla said defensively.

"Loads of fun," Drew whispered to Maddie. "Especially at night."

"Drew!" Darla hissed.

"It's not like you're quiet," Drew returned.

"I wouldn't have pegged you for a loud one," Frankie teased.

"Great now everyone knows," Darla rolled her eyes.

"Don't listen to Frankie," Allison said. "She used to spy on boys at Hogwarts."

"In the loo," Chiaki added.

"I never did that!" Frankie exclaimed.

"That was you?" Darla asked.

"No it was not it was Caroline Davies," Frankie replied.

"You both did it," Allison said with a laugh. "You little perv."

"She was the one who got caught," Frankie said slyly.

"It was your idea," Chiaki said. "I overheard the two of you giggling about it that summer she stayed with us."

"You're just jealous you didn't come up with it first," Frankie said, picking out another top.

"I didn't need to," Chiaki said smugly. "Tosh and I went swimming a few times and let's just say I saw all I needed to."

"Gross," Frankie replied.

"Not any grosser than you peeking at boys," Chiaki shot back with a sweet smile.

"The Longbottom girls are all depraved," Julie teased.

"Don't throw me into all that," Allison said. "I never did anything like that."

"You were the GOOD daughter," Frankie smirked. "Running off the day you turned seventeen to get married."

"We would have gotten married eventually," Allison said. "We just had to speed things up."

"And shagging the night of my wedding," Chiaki continued.

"Ewww," Drew said her face contorting in disgust. "Can we not talk about my brother and shagging, please?"

"I second that," Maddie replied from where she was looking through some of the tops.

"Sorry, I'm late," Lizzy said rushing in to the shop. She was still in her work clothes. "I had an emergency."

"Is everything all right?" Maddie asked.

Lizzy nodded. "I delivered a healthy baby girl. The poor woman was in labour for over 26 hours."

Frankie grimaced. "Thanks for reminding me why I don't want kids yet."

Everyone laughed. Drew pulled Lizzy aside to fill her in on what everyone was doing.

"Real nice Frankie," Maddie laughed at her.

"I have a low threshold for pain," Frankie said. "Mads, I could never do it."

"But I'm sure Will wants kids someday," Maddie replied. "Right?"

"He'd like to have them today," Frankie said. "But he's really understanding about waiting until I'm ready too."

"That's lucky for you," Maddie said. "He's such a great guy Frankie."

"And he's mine," Frankie said happily.

"Like Ethan's my great guy," Maddie said with a dreamy expression.

"Let's get you girls in these dresses," Drew said ushering Frankie, Chiaki, and Julie into the dressing rooms. "You can gush about your great blokes afterwards."

Lizzy sat down beside ber best friend. "How's it going?"

"I'm not feeling so great," Allison told her. "Kind of dizzy actually..."

"There's been an outbreak of the wizarding flu," Lizzy said thoughtfully. "Have you been achy, too? Have the sniffles? Sore throat?"

"Not really," Allison said. "Just a bit of a headache... but Liz, I don't want you to feel like you have to examine me- you just got done with a long shift."

"Nonsense," Lizzy said smiling at her. "You are my best friend and the godmother of my triplets. I would be more than happy to fit you in, Allie."

"You're fantastic," Allison gave her a hug. "I just want to ward off anything before it starts."

"Of course," Lizzy said. "Once we're finished here, we can head back to the hospital and I'll examine you."

"Are you sure?" Allison asked. "You really don't mind?"

"I really don't mind," Lizzy said leaning back in her chair. "So, how are the girls?"

"Great," Allison said. "Jon's spending the morning with them, and then he's dropping them off at my parents' house later when he goes to work."

"At the pub, right?" Lizzy asked.

"Right," Allison said. "I still can't believe he didn't tell me about that at first."

"Jon's always been proud," Lizzy said thoughtfully.

"I'm still going to plan on taking the job at my mum's school," Allison said, attempting to stand up again. She was relieved that the dizziness didn't return.

"Your mum would love that," Lizzy said following Allison over to the rack of dresses.

"She told me she could use someone," Allison replied. "And I'm good with keeping books."

"You always were great at numbers," Lizzy said. "I always hated it that you had better marks than me in Arithmancy."

Allison laughed. "That was the only class I had better marks in."

Allison and Lizzy's talk was interrupted by squeals coming from the dressing room.

"I love this dress!" they could hear Frankie call out.

"I think Frankie's decided," Allison laughed, picking a few out at random.

Drew laughed. "Allie, if you're feeling okay, why don't you and Lizzy try those dresses on?"

"Sounds good," Lizzy picked out a few as well and the two women disappeared into the dressing rooms.

A couple of hours later, the women had picked out their dresses. Julie had managed to take a few snapshots to bring to Saffron.

"Just owl me her choice," Darla said giving Julie a hug. "And give her our best."

"I will," Julie said. "I've got to get back home- it's Malfoy pizza night."

"Good luck," Chiaki said. "Hopefully, your girls haven't destroyed the kitchen."

"That's what I'm hoping too," Julie said before leaving.

"We better get going too," Frankie said to Maddie. "Ethan and Will are probably wondering where we are."

"They are probably playing billards and drinking beer," Maddie said pulling on her cloak. "And have no idea what time it is."

"You're right," Frankie said. "It's up to us girls to drag them out for some real food."

"I hope you feel better, Allie," Maddie said giving her a hug. "And tell Caroline and Emma that Ethan and I will stop by really soon."

"I will," Allison replied. "Have fun tonight you two."

"We will," Frankie said giving her sister and then Lizzy a hug.

"Ready to go?" Lizzy asked her friend.

"Sure," Allison replied. "Thanks again Lizzy."

They quickly made their way to St. Mungo's and took the lift up to Lizzy's office. Lizzy went to check her messages while one of the nurses took Allison's vital signs.

"If it's not the Wizarding Flu what do you think it could be?" Allison asked her best friend.

"Could be a Muggle thing," Lizzy said. "When did you start feeling this way?"

"I've been feeling sick on and off for the past few weeks," Allison said. "Thought it might be allergies too, since it's getting warmer."

"Could be," Lizzy said instructing her friend to lie down on the examining table. "When was your last cycle?"

Allison thought for a moment. "Early February," she said. "I should be starting again in a couple more weeks."

Lizzy looked at her. "Allie? It's the middle of March now."

Allison sat straight up. "Oh shite..."

Lizzy nodded. "Don't worry. I forget what day it is myself these days with the boys and Casey around."

"With all that went on with Jon... I completely didn't keep track." Allison said. "Oh Liz... do you think I could be... could be--"

"It's certainly possible," Lizzy said. She took out her wand and performed a few tests. Allison sat stock still, biting her bottom lip nervously. When she was through, she made a few notes on Allison's chart. "Well," Lizzy began. "I think that you'll need to let the dress shop know that they'll have to alter your dress."

102. 102

It’s good to know you all are excited about Allison being pregnant :) In this chapter you get Jon’s reaction. Hogwarts crew comes back in the next chapter so stay tuned. PLEASE review! Oh and make sure you check out the Sims page, as I’ve finally updated Masanobu, Mitsuko, Casey, Noah, Aidan and Bree.

Allison gasped. "Liz!"

Lizzy laughed as Allison hugged her. "Just over a month and a half along, Allie."

"Oh my God," Allison said, tears springing to her eyes.

"This is good news, right?" Lizzy asked. "You said you and Jon were trying..."

"I just didn't think it would happen, really." Allison said, sniffling. "Is it too early to find out the sex of the baby?"

Lizzy nodded. "You need to be a little further along for us to determine that."

"I should probably talk to Jon about that first anyway," Allison said, laughing a little. "Oh my..." she pressed her hands to her stomach. ”I'm pregnant!"

"I'm going to give you prescription for some prenatal vitamins," Lizzy said. "And you should probably come back in a couple of weeks for a checkup."

"I will," Allison hugged her again, laughing harder. "Oh I can't wait to tell Jon!"

"No time like the present," Lizzy said. "Ring me later and let me know how it goes!"

"I will," Allison said. "Thank you so much Liz!"

It was still early enough in the evening that the pub wasn't very crowded. Allison had never been here before even though Jon had promised to bring her and the girls in sometime soon. A pretty brunette was standing behind the bar and she smiled warmly at Allison as she sat down.

"What can I get for you, love?" Victoria asked.

"Actually," Allison said. "Jon Weasley- he works here right?"

"Yes," Victoria replied. "He's in the back. Is there something I can help you with---wait....are you Allison?"

"Yes," Allison smiled nervously at her. "You must be his boss, Victoria?"

Victoria nodded. "I was beginning to think he made you up! It's great to finally meet you, Allison. Jon has talked about you and your girls so much I feel like I already know you."

Allison shook her hand and decided not to mention that Jon had not disclosed about his job there until recently. "He's told us what a great boss you are," she said. "And that he really likes working here."

"He's been an absolute Godsend," VIctoria said.

"Vic, we're running out of Bailey's," Jon said carrying a box from the back and setting it down on top of the bar.

"Jon you have company," Victoria said with a grin.

"It's not that daft woman, is it?" Jon asked before turning around.

"You'd better not be talking about me," Allison said with a grin.

"Al!" Jon said in surprise. "Of course not. It's this old woman who acts as if she doesn't know what she wants and then she asks what your recommend and then she hems and haws before finally deciding on sweet sherry."

Allison laughed as he gave her a kiss. "So I heard you've been talking about us."

"Just a little," Jon admitted.

"Can I get you anything, Allie?" Victoria asked. "Anything on the house."

"Have you got any club soda?" Allison asked.

"Sure," Victoria said. "Coming right up."

"You sure you don't want anything stronger?" Jon asked teasingly. "You spent all afternoon with my sisters, didn't you?"

"Yes and we had a blast," Allison smiled at him. "Jon I'm actually here because... I have something rather important to tell you."

"Is it about that stain on the sitting room carpet?" Jon asked. "Emma got into Caroline's finger paints and I was going to clean it up, but we were running a little late. One flick of the wand and it will be as good as new."

"There's a stain on the carpet?" Allison asked, raising her eyebrow.

"It's not THAT noticeable," Jon said sheepishly. "I was trying to give Max a bath and Caroline said she'd watch out for Emma while I did it and the next thing I know, Emma's covered in purple paint and...."

"Well that's not what I was talking about," Allison interrupted him.

"The dishes I left out?" Jon asked.

"I haven't been home yet," Allison laughed. "And I don't think I want to go home now..."

Jon squeezed her hand. "It's really not that bad."

Victoria came back over with Allison's club soda. "Here you are."

"Thank you," Allison smiled at her. "Jon um..." she bit her lower lip. "I found out something interesting today."

Victoria excused herself to check on something in the back.

"What's that?" Jon asked his wife.

"Something we've talked about before," Allison laughed nervously. "Jon um... I'm pregnant again."

Jon stared at her. "You...you're what?"

"Liz checked me over just an hour ago," Allison said, looking at him earnestly. "And she told me I'm pregnant."

"B-baby?" Jon sputtered. "But we---I----whoa."

"I know, I was surprised too," Allison said. "And I rushed right here to tell you... Jon?"

He was silent for a few moments. He was happy, of course, but a big part of him still remembered sitting at his wife's bedside while she lay there in a coma.

Allison seemed to read his mind. "Jon we're going to take every necessary precaution," she said. "There's no reason to think that what happened when I had Emma will happen again."

"Lizzy told you that?" Jon finally asked quietly.

"Yes," Allison said. "Jon..."

He reached across the bar and took her hands in his. "How far along are you?"

"Almost two months," Allison said with a tentative smile. "You are happy about this right Jon?"

"Of course," he said leaning over and giving her a kiss. "Just a little worried after what happened with Em. That's all."

"We're going to have another baby," she said, tears springing to her eyes. "Maybe a little boy this time..."

Jon grinned. "I wouldn't mind another little girl as sweet as the other two."

"I'd be happy with either, but I'd really love to have a little boy around the house," Allison kissed him again.

"Snogging on the job?" Victoria asked coming back over to them.

"With good reason," Jon said still holding onto Allison's hand. "Allie and I are going to have another baby."

"Congratulations!" Victoria said in surprise, beaming at them. "That's wonderful news!"

"Thanks," Jon said walking around the bar and standing in front of his wife who looked at him bemusedly. He knelt down and touched his wife's still flat stomach. "Hello in there, little one."

Allison laughed. "I can't wait until we tell the girls."

"They'll be so excited," Jon said imagining their faces.

"After Caroline's Christmas wish I think she's going to be ecstatic," Allison said.

"Why don't you go and tell them now?" Victoria asked. "I can hold down the fort for an hour if you want to go share your news."

"Really?" Jon asked, feeling excited. "You don't mind?"

"I think I can manage until you get back," Victoria said smiling at them. "Congratulations you two!"

"Thanks," Jon grinned at her.

"Thank you," Allison added. "And it was lovely to finally meet you Victoria."

"Don't be a stranger," Victoria said. "I want to meet those two girls of yours, too."

"I promise I'll bring them by," Jon said grabbing his coat from under the bar.

"I'm holding you to that," Victoria said. "I'll see you in a little bit Jon."

"I'll be back soon," he promised. "Thanks, Vic."

Allison hugged her husband as soon as they were outside the pub. "I can't believe this Jon!"

He hugged her back. "Another little one to keep us on our toes."

"More than our two already do," Allison laughed as he swung her around.

"I love you, Allison Weasley!" Jon exclaimed earning some confused looks from the people passing by.

She laughed again. "I love you too," she said, giving him a kiss.

"Let's go tell our girls," he said grinning at her.

Meanwhile at Cho and Neville's house, Emma and Caroline were playing a game with their grandfather.

"You can't move there, Grandpa," Caroline said touching his arm. "You can only move across and back."

"Bad Gampa," Emma said shaking her head.

"What?" Neville asked, laughing. "Did you just call me bad Emma Madeline?"

Emma giggled. "Bad, bad, bad."

"Don't be too hard on him, Em," Caroline said. "He's never played this before and he's not as good as you and me at it."

"Em good," Emma said, reaching for a game piece.

"Don't move yet, Em," Caroline said. "It's still Grandpa's turn."

"Kay," Emma replied.

"Grandma's way better at this than you," Caroline said as Neville moved his piece the correct way. "She beat me and Emma twice."

"Did she now?" Neville asked. "Well maybe I'll have her play for me while I check on those biscuits I'm making for my two girls."

"What kind?" Caroline asked.

"Peanut butter chocolate chip?" Neville asked, knowing those were Caroline's favourite.

"Yay!" Caroline said beaming at him.

"I'll take over for you, Nev," Cho said sitting down.

"Uh oh Em," Caroline said. "We have to play better now. Grandma's taking over!"

Cho rubbed her hands together and gave them a wink. "You're going down, girls."

"No Gamma!" Emma squealed, giggling.

"Yes, Em," Cho said reaching over and tickling her side. "You are no match for me."

"Gamma play good," Emma told her sister, laughing.

"Too good," Caroline said concentrating on the board.

"Mum? Dad?" Allison called from the foyer.

"Mummy's here!" Caroline squealed.

"Hello my girls," Allison hugged her daughters as they came charging at her.

"Daddy too!" Emma said waving at him.

"Allie?" Cho asked coming over. "Jon? What are you doing here? Is something wrong?"

"Something's right actually," Allison said, putting Caroline back down.

"How about we go into the sitting room so we can tell you," Jon said giving his mother-in-law a kiss on the cheek.

"Okay," Cho said slowly. "Um, I'll just go and get Neville. He's in the kitchen."

Allison and Jon sat on the sofa and Emma plopped herself between them. "Gampa play bad," she told her parents.

"He's rubbish, isn't he?" Allison asked putting her arm around her youngest.

Emma giggled and nodded.

"You should try playing him at chess," Jon said. "He's about as bad as Uncle Harry."

"Hello to you too, Jonathan," Neville said from behind him.

"Hello sir," Jon nearly jumped off the sofa.

Allison laughed. "Be nice, Dad."

"Hello Allie," Neville kissed his daughter's cheek. "What brings you both by?"

"You know how Mummy's been feeling bad lately?" Jon asked his two daughters.

"Mummy sick?" Emma looked at Allison.

Allison shook her head. "I thought I was so I went to see your Aunt Lizzy and she told me some really good news."

"What is it?" Caroline asked, intrigued.

"How would you two feel about having a little brother or sister?" Allison asked.

"You mean like when I asked Santa for a new baby?" Caroline asked, delighted.

Jon nodded. "You've got your wish Angel Girl."

"Allie!" Cho said tearing up. "That's fantastic!"

"I just found out this afternoon," Allison said, unable to keep from grinning.

"Where is new Sissy?" Emma asked.

"In Mummy's tummy," Caroline replied.

"We don't know if it's a girl or boy yet," Jon said.

"I think I might get another grandson," Neville said putting his arm around Cho.

"A boy might be nice," Cho said, wiping her eyes. "Offset the abundance of girls..."

"Even things out a bit," Jon said laughing.

Emma stared at her mother's tummy. "Baby?"

"That's right sweetheart," Allison said. "There's a baby in here."

Emma smiled. "Out?"

"It won't come out for another seven months," Jon told his daughter. "It has to grow in there, just like you did."

"Mummy won't go to sleep again will she?" Caroline asked.

Allison and Jon exchanged looks with Cho and Neville. "We don't think so sweetheart," Allison said gently. "Your Aunt Lizzy doesn't think I will."

Caroline gave her mother a big hug. "That really scared me."

"I'm sorry baby," Allison kissed her cheek.

"Scared us all," Jon said picking Emma up. "But we're going to be really careful and take precautions."

"That sounds like a good idea to me," Neville grinned. "Congratulations love." he said to Allison. "I couldn't be happier for you."

"Thanks, Daddy," Allison said standing up to give him a hug.

"And you too Jonathan," Neville shook his son in law's hand.

"Give your son-in-law a hug," Cho said wiping at her eyes again. "For Merlin's sake!"

Neville laughed at his wife. "Cho no one does the waterworks better than you do."

"I'm just a very emotional person," she said defensively.

Caroline grinned at her sister. "Em, we're going to be big sisters!"

"And you can look after your baby brother or sister," Allison said tugging on one of Emma's curls.

"Baby?" Emma asked.

"That's right," Jon said smiling at her. "A brand new baby."

"Oooh," Emma said, her eyes big.

Jon laughed as Emma put her arms around his neck. "And tomorrow you can help us tell your Grandpa Ron and Grandma Luna."

"Kay," Emma agreed happily. "Em tell everyone!"

He tickled her side. "Daddy better get back to work before Victoria sends out a search party."

"Is that someone you're giving flying lessons to?" Neville asked.

"No," Jon looked at his wife. "She's my manager down at the pub I work at..."

"A pub?" Neville asked. "Since when do you work in a pub? I thought you were teaching flying."

"I'll explain," Allison told her husband. "Why don't you get on back and I'll see you at home later?"

"Right," Jon said setting Emma down. "You girls be really good for your Mum, okay?"

"We'll take good care of her, Daddy," Caroline promised giving him a kiss on the cheek.

"I love my girls," Jon kissed the top of Emma's head.

"Love Daddy," Emma said waving at him.

Jon gave his wife a kiss goodbye. "Take it easy, okay?"

"I will," Allison smiled at him.

Jon said goodbye to his in-laws and then headed for the door.

"How about you girls come with me?" Cho asked her granddaughters. "We can go eat those biscuits your grandpa made."

"Yum," Caroline said. "A baby and peanut butter chocolate chip biscuits. This has been a really good day Grandma!"

Cho laughed and led her granddaughters out of the sitting room.

"What's going on, Allison?" Neville asked sitting down.

"Jon's taken a job at a Muggle pub," Allison told her father, choosing not to divulge that she'd just found out about this. "We needed some extra money and he didn't want me to work."

"A second job?" Neville asked. "Allison..."

"Dad its fine," Allison said. "We need the extra income now more than ever."

"If you need extra money," Neville started to say.

"No," Allison said immediately. "Dad, Jon and I can make this work all right? I'm going to talk to Lizzy and see if it's okay that I go work at Mum's studio doing the books- she's already mentioned to me she needs help with that. And with Jon taking on the pub job and his flying lessons, we'll be just fine."

"Why won't you let me and your mum lend you some money?" Neville argued. "You can pay us back whenever. I always knew that flying lessons would never be enough to support you...."

"Dad it's what Jon loves to do," Allison said gently.

"As a hobby sure," Neville said. "But to support a family...."

"Neville," Cho said coming back into the sitting room.

"Dad we're doing all right," Allison said. "Money's tight right now but it happens to everyone."

"And I would love to have you help out at the studio," Cho said. "If Lizzy says it would be okay."

"Thanks Mum," Allison said. "I figured I could make a little play area for Emma in the corner of the office you said I could use and she can stay in the room with me."

"I'd love that," Cho said grinning at her. "Any excuse to see my granddaughters."

"I'll talk to Jon tonight and owl you tomorrow," Allison promised.

"Great," Cho said giving her a hug. "And we're so happy for you, Allie. This is the best news."

"Thanks," Allison grinned. "I can hardly believe it myself!"

"I still wish you'd accept our help," Neville said.

"In a way we are helping," Cho said. "Allie will be working with me, Neville."

"I guess," Neville said, unconvinced.

"Neville, if Allison and Jon were in dire straits, I'm sure they would tell us," Cho said calmly.

"Is that why he missed Caroline's recital?" Neville asked suddenly.

"Yes," Allison answered. "Well partly... he said his boss gave him the time off but there was a rowdy group that night and he lost track of time..."

"With him having two jobs, I'm sure he's going to miss a lot more," Neville commented.

"Dad don't worry about that," Allison said. "Please don't start treating him differently because of this. We've all come such a long way since... since..."

"Okay," Neville relented. "Fine. I'm just worried."

"We'll be all right, I promise," Allison said,.

"How about we continue that game?" Cho asked. "Caroline, Emma and me against you and Allie."

"What game?" Allison asked.

"That Spellbound game of Caroline's," Neville said. "The one that I am complete rubbish at."

"I love that game," Cho said smugly.

"That's because you're good at it Mum," Allison laughed. "I'm not so bad..."

"I need all the help I can get," Neville said. "It's not everyday a 2-year old and a 6-year old get the best of you."

Allison laughed as her daughters came back in the room. Emma's face was smeared with chocolate. "What have you two been eating?"

"Grandpa's biscuits," Caroline said innocently. "Em made a big mess."

"Em eat all the biscuits!" Emma announced proudly.

"You look like you're wearing all the biscuits," Cho said picking her up. "Let's get you cleaned up, love."

"Kay," Emma said, reaching for Cho.

Caroline gave her mother another hug. "I'm really happy, Mummy."

"I'm glad Angel girl," Allison said. "I know you wanted another baby brother or sister."

"And Daddy's been around more too," Caroline said happily.

"Yes he has," Allison nuzzled her daughter's cheek.

"You know what I think?" Caroline asked. "I think it's going to be a boy and he's going to have brown hair like you and me."

"Are you a Seer like your Aunt Maddie?" Allison teased.

Caroline shook her head. "Just a guess, Mummy."

"Well in a little over seven months, we'll know." Allison smiled at her father.

Neville smiled back, forgetting his reservations about his son-in-law having two jobs. It was obvious that his daughter and granddaughters were happy and that was all he could really ask for.

*** *** ***

Josh was in his study trying to work on his novel but his efforts were proving to be fruitless. His three children had simultaneously woken up from their kips and even though Lizzy had told him to stay in the library, their cries drew him into the kitchen where his wife was trying to feed all three of them.

"Need some help?" he asked from the doorway.

Lizzy nodded. "I'm sorry..."

"It's all right," Josh picked up Casey. "How's Daddy's girl?" he asked, making a silly face at her.

Casey's response was a high-pitched wail and she squirmed in her father's arms.

"Come on baby..." Josh kissed her forehead and patted her little back. "Mummy's making you something to eat..."

"I think that they might have a plan," Lizzy said hurrying about the kitchen. "They're slowly trying to drive us crazy. Just when you think they're going to be quiet, one of them cries and the other two don't want to be left out and they start in, too."

"I guess that's what we get for having three at once aye?" Josh kidded.

"I guess so," Lizzy said with a slight laugh. She balanced Noah on her hip and used her wand to fill the three bottles with formula.

"Thank Merlin for magic," Josh said as he stroked Aidan's cheek with his free hand.

"I don't see how Muggles could cope with three without it," Lizzy said as she levitated a bottle to her husband. Aidan was the only baby not crying and she decided to feed Noah first and then take care of Aidan.

"Thanks love," Josh said, guiding the bottle to Casey's mouth. His daughter smacked her lips hungrily.

"Getting anything accomplished on the book?" Lizzy asked as she sat down with Noah.

"The first sentence," Josh said dryly.

"Josh!" Lizzy asked taken aback. "You've been working for nearly two weeks...."

"I was just kidding Liz," Josh said. "I have about half of my first chapter penned out. I was also working on some outlines for a few of my later chapters."

"But you've had to deal with the babies during the day," Lizzy protested. "I don't see how you've been able to get any work done. I think we should seriously think about getting a nanny."

"We're okay," he told her. "I just want this book to be good. I'm being picky about what I put in it."

"You are the pickiest person I know when it comes to writing," Lizzy said grinning at him. "You always have been."

"Which is why I wound up with the best wife," Josh gave her a kiss.

"You didn't have to hear any of my bad poetry."

"I thought it was sweet in a cheesy, puppy love kind of way," Lizzy said teasingly. "Even if it wasn't about me."

Josh laughed as Casey finished her bottle. "My little girl was hungry," he said.

"And now for your brother's favourite part," Lizzy said watching as Josh burped their daughter. "

Josh snorted. "He's so proud whenever Em lets out a loud one."

"I know," Lizzy said laughing. "Says 'That's my girl' every time she does it."

"Speaking of Jon, didn't Allie say they were coming over tonight?" Josh asked, setting Casey back in her chair.

"In a little while," Lizzy said. "I have this covered now if you want to get back to your book until they arrive..."

"Nah I don't mind," Josh picked up Aidan. "I love spending time with these three."

"Would you mind if I went ahead and took a bath then?" Lizzy asked. "I promise I won't be long..."

"That's fine," Josh replied. "I think I can hold the fort down."

Lizzy set Noah down in his seat and kissed his forehead. "You be a good boy for your Daddy. Mummy will be right back."

Josh gave his wife another kiss as she left the kitchen and he tried to keep Casey calmed down while he fed Aidan.

For awhile this seemed to work as Casey cooed contentedly from her chair. And Noah seemed to be drifting off to sleep.

Just as he thought he was scot free, the doorbell rang, jerking Noah out of his almost sleep and making Casey jump.

"It's okay," Josh whispered to Casey whose lower lip began to tremble. "Don't cry, don't cry...."

The little girl stared up at her father and let out a plaintive shriek as Noah and Aidan instantly joined their sister.

"Great," Josh said momentarily forgetting that there was someone at the door as he tried to calm all three of the children. "Everything's okay, Case. Come on..."

"Josh was that the doorbell?" Lizzy called over the cries of their children.

"I can't remember," Josh said in exasperation. "They won't stop crying!"

Lizzy lifted Aidan into her arms as she headed into the hallway. "Coming!" she called out.

On the other side of the door, Allison, Jon and Caroline and Emma stood huddled together.

"It's a baby!" Emma called out excitedly when Lizzy opened the door.

"The sound of many babies," Jon teased his sister in law. "Sounds like a party in there."

"We're having a ball," Lizzy said standing back so they could come inside. "You'll have to excuse my robe. I was about to jump in the bath when I heard the triplets crying and Josh was about to lose it."

Allison shook off their umbrella as she stepped inside. "Sounds like you could use a little help. Chi's the same way with the twins."

"We'd love some help," Lizzy said.

"Which one is that Auntie Lizzy?" Caroline asked. "Is it Aidan?"

"That's right sweetheart," Lizzy told her. "Noah and Casey are in the kitchen with Uncle Josh."

"I'll go see if I can help him out," Jon said. Emma grabbed onto his leg. "You want to come with me?"

"I want to see baby," Emma said.

"Come here then," Jon said picking her up. "Let's go see Uncle Joshie and your other two cousins."

In the kitchen, Josh had his head in his hands as Noah and Casey seemed to be having a contest as to who could cry the loudest.

"Problems Joshie?" Jon asked from the door. "Looks like you could use a little help."

"If you could get one of them to stop crying, I'll be forever in your debt," Josh said looking up in frustration.

"Shhhh!" Emma said putting her finger to her lips. "No cry, babies!"

Jon lifted Noah. "Come here little guy," he said, patting his nephew's back gently.

To Josh's surprise, Noah stopped crying and rested his little head on Jon's chest.

"Daddy's good," Emma said proudly.

"That's right baby girl," Jon grinned at his daughter. "Let's see what we can do for Casey eh?"

"Sing," Emma said to her Uncle Josh.

"Sing?" Josh looked at Emma in surprise. "Sweetheart, you don't want Uncle Josh to sing..."

"I big Sissy!" Emma announced suddenly. "I big sissy now!"

Jon smiled. "Not yet, baby girl."

"Jon, I'm sorry I haven't talked to you about that," Josh said apologetically. "Liz told me about Allie. That's fantastic."

"Thanks mate," Jon grinned broadly at his twin. "It was a bit of a surprise but we're both pretty excited."

Josh smiled as Jon gently set a now sleeping Noah back in his chair. "Em's right. You are good at this."

"I've had loads of practise," Jon replied.

"Maybe you could give me some tips," Josh said. "Sometimes, I feel like all three of them can see right through me."

"Anytime," Jon replied. "Al and I are always here to help. You and Liz were always there for us."

"Sing," Emma urged Josh again. "Casey want you to sing!"

Josh laughed. "Emma, she'd probably cry even harder if I sang."

"Sing!" Emma insisted stubbornly.

"Okay, okay," Josh said. "I've tried everything else, perhaps this will work."

He stood up and rocked Casey's bouncy seat as he began to sing. "Twinkle, twinkle little star....how I wonder what you are..."

Emma made a face and put her little hands over her ears.

"Em!" Jon said laughing. "That's not nice!"

"She made that same look when she had that apple cider at New Year's," Josh said. "Its okay, Emma. I know I'm rubbish at this."

"I sing," Emma replied, climbing onto his lap.

"By all means," Josh said.

Emma began to sing something in gibberish that resembled a lullaby she'd heard her mother sing to Caroline.

It seemed to do the trick as Casey stopped crying and cooed up at her cousin.

"You're both good," Josh shook his head. "I'm quite impressed."

"You know, I thought you were going to be Super Dad," Jon said sitting down. "It's nice to see that you don't know everything."

"I never claimed to," Josh replied.

"No, you didn't," Jon said truthfully. "It's just that I always thought you were perfect. It's nice to know that you're actually human."

Josh gave his brother a look. "You're a good father too Jon."

"Thanks, Josh," Jon said smiling at him.

"Em do you want anything to drink?" Josh asked his niece, who was toying with a lock of Casey's hair.

"Juice," Emma answered. "Peas."

"This one has been my little shadow the past couple of days," Jon said grinning at his daughter. "She follows me everywhere."

"Miss Daddy," Emma replied as Josh poured her a cup of apple juice.

"Allie told Lizzy you were thinking of going full time at that pub," Josh said handing Emma the cup. "Is that true?"

"I've been thinking about it," Jon said. "I like it there a lot, and the flying lessons just aren't going as well as they used to."

"Drew said you were quite good at it," Josh said sitting back down. "I've been meaning to stop by, but I wasn't sure how you'd feel about that."

"I'd love to have you there anytime," Jon said.

"Really?" Josh asked.

"Vic nice too," Emma said.

"She means Victoria my boss," Jon explained.

"Oh you brought the girls in?" Josh said with a grin.

"Yes before my shift began," Jon said. "They loved it, right Em?"

"Fun," Emma nodded.

"Victoria let them play the jukebox and Em and Caroline danced," Jon said laughing at the memory.

"Em dance good," Emma babbled happily.

"She likes to shake her bum," Jon said. "Go ahead, Em. Show Uncle Josh since he had to sing."

"What's this?" Josh asked, laughing.

"Go on Em," Jon encouraged. "Get down with your bad self, remember?"

Emma beamed at her father before sliding off Josh's lap and standing in the middle of the kitchen.

"Let's see baby," Josh said.

"Kay," Emma replied snapping her little fingers and starting to dance. She wiggled her bum and then spun around.

Josh bit his lower lip to keep from laughing. He clapped his hands together. "That was fantastic!" he cheered.

"Bow baby," Jon instructed. "Like Caroline showed you."

"Kay," Emma did as her father said. "Like Sissy!"

"You three seem to be having a good time," Allison said coming into the kitchen with Caroline. "Hiya, Josh."

"Hi Allie," Josh got up and kissed her cheek. "Congratulations."

"Thank you," Allison said. "Lizzy went to put Aidan down."

"I think Em got Casey settled down too." Josh said with a glance at his daughter.

"I think they get more adorable every time I see them," Allison said looking at Casey and then Noah.

"So do these two," Josh scooped Emma up and kissed her plump cheek.

Emma giggled.

"You're awfully quiet tonight, Angel," Jon said to Caroline. "What's on your mind?"

"Just tired Daddy," Caroline replied.

"I know how you feel, Caroline," Josh said sympathetically.

Caroline leaned against her mother and closed her eyes.

Allison touched Caroline's forehead. "You feel a little warm, love."

"It's hot in here," Caroline replied.

"You want some juice?" Josh offered.

Caroline shook her head.

Allison hugged her. "You want to go back home?"

"We probably shouldn't keep her here if she's not feeling good," Jon said. "I don't want her to get the babies sick."

"Why don't you have Lizzy take a look before you go?" Josh asked.

"Do you think she'll mind?" Allison asked.

"Allie, she's her niece and goddaughter," Josh said. "I'm sure she wouldn't mind."

"Come on Angel," Allison lifted her up. "Let's go have Aunt Lizzy check you out okay?"

Caroline nodded and rested her head on Allison's shoulder.

Lizzy had just stepped out of the nursery when she saw Allison and Caroline. "Sorry that took a bit longer than I expected."

"It's okay," Allison said. "We aren't going to stay- I think Caroline's a bit sick and we don't want to make the triplets ill."

"Oh," Lizzy said with a frown. "Come on in my bedroom and I'll have a look."

"Thank you," Allison said gratefully, carrying her daughter into the room.

"How long have you been feeling bad, Caroline?" Lizzy asked.

"Since a little while ago," Caroline replied, her eyes still closed.

Lizzy saw a red splotch on Caroline's arm. "Have you seen this, Allie?"

"What is it?" Allison asked.

Lizzy didn't answer right away as she examined the splotches.

"I think Caroline might have Chicken Pox," Lizzy said. "You've had it, haven't you, Allie? When we were little?"

"Jon and I both have," Allison answered. "But Emma..."

"It's good that you've had it," Lizzy said. "Since you're pregnant. If you hadn't, we'd want to keep Caroline away from you so there wouldn't be any complications. Now, Emma's already been exposed, but it might be a good idea to keep her away from Caroline."

Allison kissed Caroline's head. "I'll see if Jon can take a few days off from the pub to help me out here."

Caroline moved to scratch her arm, but Lizzy stopped her. "Don't scratch, Caroline."

"But it itches," Caroline said with tears in her eyes. "It itches BAD!"

"Daddy and I will put you in a nice oatmeal bath when we get home." Allison told her. "If you scratch those then you'll have those marks forever."

Caroline nodded.

"If you have some calamine lotion at home that should help with the itching," Lizzy counselled.

"Everything okay?" Jon asked from the doorway.

"Daddy! I have chicken bites!" Caroline said clutching onto her mother. "And Aunt Lizzy said I couldn't scratch them!"

"You have chicken pox?" Jon asked.

Caroline nodded and sobbed into her mother's shoulder.

"You should keep her away from Emma so she doesn't catch it," Lizzy said.

"That'll go down really big since Emma likes to sleep in Caroline's room," Jon said.

"She's already been exposed so she'll probably get it soon," Allison sighed. "We're in for a crazy couple of weeks Jon."

"Aren't we always," Jon said. "Caroline wasn't near the babies, was she?"

Lizzy shook her head. "When she was in the sitting room with us, she sat off to herself. I'm sure the babies are going to be fine."

"I can't even scratch a little?" Caroline asked.

"No Angel," Jon said. "Come on, we'll put some lotion to help that itch okay?"

"I hope you feel better soon, Caroline," Lizzy said touching her cheek. "And I know it's hard, but don't scratch, okay?"

Caroline nodded as her father lifted her up.

Emma ran into the room. "Daddy! You left me!"

"I'm sorry baby," Jon said. "Don’t come too close to your sister okay?"

Emma looked up at him with a confused face.

"You don't want the chicken bites, Em," Caroline said sadly.

"Sissy bite?" Emma asked quizzically.

"It's a little hard to explain, but your sister is sick and we don't want you to get it baby," Allison said. "You can sleep with me and Daddy tonight."

Emma shook her head. "No. Sleep with Sissy!"

"You can't Em," Caroline said from her perch in Jon's arms.

"We don't want you to get sick," Allison said scooping her up. "You can sleep with Daddy and me until Caroline gets better."

Emma gave her mother her best pout. "Em get sick too." she insisted.

"You don't want to get sick," Allison said even though she knew chances were Emma would also catch it.

"Let's get going," Jon said. "Sorry we had to cut our visit short."

"It's okay," Lizzy said. "Let us know if there's anything we can do."

"Thanks Liz," Allison said.

Lizzy saw them out and then wandered back into the kitchen. She grinned as she saw Josh fast asleep in the chair.

She brought a sleeping Casey and Noah to their beds and then headed back to the kitchen. "Hey sleepyhead," she said softly. "Why don't I put you to bed?"

Josh looked groggily up at her. "Did I fall asleep?"

"Yeah," Lizzy replied. "Caroline has chicken pox."

"She does?" Josh asked.

Lizzy nodded. "Emma will probably follow suit next week."

"So I guess three cranky babies is better than that," Josh mused getting to his feet.

She laughed. "Maybe just a bit. All three of them are down for the count right now."

"How about we join them?" Josh asked draping his arm around her. "I think my book can wait until tomorrow."

"Sounds good to me," Lizzy leaned against her husband. "I'm proud of you Josh."

"For what?" he asked.

"You're a great father," Lizzy kissed him.

"You think so?" Josh asked. "I have my doubts."

"I don't," Lizzy replied. "You're also going to finish your book and it's going to do fantastic. And last but not least, you make me the happiest wife in the world."

"I must be doing something right then," Josh said giving her another kiss. "Come on, let's get some sleep."

103. 103! And check out the Sims page!

Hey everyone- hopefully you’ll enjoy this chapter, it’s a long one with a whopper of a cliffie. Also, please make sure you check out the Sims page, it’s been updated and I’d love some feedback on how they look ;) (Updated sections are: Misc, Hanaris, and Weasleys)I’m also working on a version of the cottage, and will hopefully have that up soon! Please review!

Saffy:

I am very disappointed in you. I thought you were going to be a better letter writer than this! I haven't heard from you since before Christmas. I don't know about this Peter bloke...I think you should dump him so you'll be free over the summer...just kidding!

I am free, at the moment. I broke up with my girlfriend Angela a couple weeks back. Actually, you could say she broke up with me. She fancies a seventh year boy. Can you believe that? Over me, of all people!

I am staying busy and thinking of a certain brunette who has those crazy sport skills! I am taking you on again this summer and you are not going to beat me this time. Will Alexa and RJ be coming with this year? Maybe the four of us can do something again.

I hope you are doing well and do try to write to me sometime.

By the way, way to bring my cousin down! Unfortunately for me, she is now enrolled at my school. How could you do that to me, Saf! How?

Love,

Sean

"Wow Saffy," Alexa was reading the letter over her shoulder. "Love Sean?"

"He's signed all his letters to me like that," Saffron said defensively.

"What does Andrew think of you writing to him?" Alexa was curious.

"He doesn't know," Saffron admitted. "Well, I haven't written to Sean since he and I got together...you saw where Sean thinks I'm still dating Peter!'

"Oh right," Alexa said. "Well Andrew's not really the jealous type. I don't think he'll mind. After all you're both in love."

"Yes we are," Saffron said with a grin. "You know I was meaning to ask RJ if he'd be going to Brighton this summer or if he's going to be too big to be with us little people."

"I hope he goes," Alexa replied. "When we were home for Christmas your parents asked me if I wanted to go again."

"I don't care if he doesn't go," Saffron said. "You will go. I can't imagine going without you now."

Alexa grinned. "And are you going to ask Andrew to come?" she batted her eyes teasingly.

"Of course," Saffron giggled. "I hope he can go. I'm not sure how his team's schedule is going to be, either."

"I bet he'll work it out just for you," Alexa said. "He never misses spending time with you Saffy."

"What are you two doing inside?" RJ asked coming into the common room. "It's gorgeous outside."

"Just reading my post," Saffron replied. "Where's Andrew?"

"He should be right behind me," RJ said plopping down on the sofa. "I just got reamed out by McGonagall for not paying attention in Charms."

"RJ just because you're signed onto a Quidditch team already doesn't mean you should be slacking off," Saffron lectured.

"You sound just like McGonagall," RJ said rolling his eyes.

"She's right though RJ," Alexa replied.

"Not you too, Lex," RJ groaned. "Come on, I have less than a month left in this bloody place..."

"Tell me about it," Alexa frowned.

RJ put an arm around her. "The one thing I'll miss about this place..."

"Speaking of which, you going to Brighton this summer?" Saffron asked.

RJ shrugged. "Not sure. I might be too busy, Saf."

"RJ you have to go," Saffron insisted.

"Can't you just see me telling the coach that I'm sorry I can't make the training camp because I have to build sandcastles," RJ said sarcastically.

"You said you start in July," Saffron reminded him. "We go in June."

"I know," RJ said. "But there's still all the press stuff and team meetings and all that. They sent me a packet the other day. You wouldn't believe all the crap I'm going to have to go through."

"But you can spare a week or two," Saffron crossed her arms. "And you're not doing it for me; you're doing it for the love of your life here."

"We'll see," RJ said noncommittally. He saw the letter in Saffron's lap. "What's that?"

"It's from Sean," she said. "I haven't heard from him in awhile."

"Why's he writing to you now?" RJ asked grabbing the letter from Saffron.

"To thank me for causing Christina to enroll in the same school as him," Saffron laughed.

"And to ask you to spend time with him in Brighton," RJ said glaring at her. "He thinks you're still with Peter!"

"We haven't written in awhile," Saffron repeated, glaring right back.

"You should write him back and tell him you're taken," RJ said handing her back the letter. "It's like that wanker Ben writing to Lex."

"Don't tell me what to do," Saffron snatched it out of his hand. "Andrew knows I love him."

"And Ben isn't a wanker," Alexa said. "And you never told me you had a problem with him and me writing back and forth."

"Are you saying that we can't be friends with Ben and Sean?" Saffron crossed her arms.

"I'm not saying that," RJ said. "But I think you should both tell those idiots that you're off the market."

"Don't call Sean an idiot," Saffron said angrily. "He's always been nice to you! And he has no idea that I'm with Andrew so DON'T YOU EVEN START!"

"And don't you call Ben an idiot," Alexa was also annoyed. "He's my friend RJ."

"Why are you jumping down my throat?" RJ asked. "You know he fancies you, Lex."

"But I love you," Alexa said edgily.

"And I love Andrew," Saffron said. "And I'm sure he wouldn't mind in the slightest that Sean and I write to each other."

"Why don't we ask him then?" RJ asked seeing his friend climb through the portrait hole.

"Fine," Saffron said, stalking away from him.

"What did I just walk into?" Andrew asked as Saffron came toward him.

"I want to ask you something and I want you to be honest with me," Saffron told him.

"Okay," Andrew asked setting his school bag down. "What's on your mind, Saf?"

"RJ thinks that Alexa and I shouldn't write to our guy friends," Saffron began. "In my case I guess you could say Sean is my ex..."

"Guess you could say?" Andrew repeated. "Sean? That's that bloke you were with last summer right?"

"Right," Saffron replied. "And we're nothing but friends now. And I haven't even written him since before Christmas."

"So what's the problem?" Andrew asked.

"That's what I can't figure out," Saffron glared at RJ.

"I don't mind you writing to him," Andrew said. "Because I know you love me."

Saffron beamed at him. "I do love you," she said as she gave him a kiss.

"And the bloke does have excellent taste in girls," Andrew said pulling her closer.

"I quite agree," Saffron laughed. "What took you so long to get up here?"

"I had to go return some books to the library," Andrew replied. "You miss me?"

"Mmmhmm," Saffron said.

Andrew gave her another kiss. "It's a nice day outside. Too nice to be cooped up in here."

"We should go for a walk," Saffron replied.

"Oi, RJ," Andrew called out. "You mind bringing my stuff up to the room? Saf and I are going to take a walk."

"Fine," RJ said, wishing Alexa would stop glaring at him.

"Come on then, Miss Potter," Andrew said taking her hand. "Let's go."

Saffron linked fingers with him as she followed him downstairs. "I can't believe you're going to be gone from here in less than a month." she said. "And you're not going to be here next year."

"I know," Andrew said thoughtfully. "It's a bit scary actually. I might have to grow up."

"We wouldn't want that," Saffron teased.

"Course not," Andrew said with a laugh. "My mum is still on my case to pursue a proper career. She wants me to be a healer. Could you imagine me doing something like that?"

"I could actually," Saffron replied. "You're smart enough and you're great with people."

"I'm not as smart as you," Andrew said nudging her.

"That's because no one is," Saffron teased in a lofty tone.

"Your ego is nearly as big as RJ's," Andrew said laughing.

"Hey!" Saffron squealed. "That's not nice!"

Andrew picked her up. "I think I might have to toss you in the lake, Saf."

"ANDREW KIRKE!" she screamed, laughing.

Andrew quickened his steps. They were attracting the attention of some of the other students enjoying the spring day. "Don't mind us. She's just going for a swim in the lake is all."

"If I go in you're going with me!" Saffron threatened.

"Oh no," Andrew said shaking his head. "Just you, Saffron Grace Potter."

"I've got a death grip on you Kirke," Saffron grabbed his robes tightly.

Andrew stopped just as they reached the lake. "You'd really take me with you?"

"You'd better believe it," Saffron said, not releasing him.

Andrew pretended to think this over. "Well, how about we just have a seat and snog instead?"

"I like that idea," Saffron said. "And I'll let you go once we're away from the lake." she gave him a sweet smile.

"Okay," Andrew said moving back and setting her down. "How's this?"

"That works," Saffron said, ignoring the other people sitting outside as she pushed him down.

"Saffron," Andrew said laughing. "You are quite pushy, you know that?"

"You like it," Saffron said.

"I wasn't complaining," Andrew said before kissing her.

"Good boy," she murmured, pressing her lips back to his.

Andrew tickled her side.

"Prat," she said, running her hands over his chest.

"I say we spend every day the rest of the term snogging," Andrew suggested grinning at her.

"I love that idea," she said, her eyes half closed.

"And I love you," Andrew said softly.

"I love you too," Saffron said, running her fingers through his hair. "You're like the perfect guy you know?"

Andrew laughed. "Right..."

"No you are," she said. "I mean, you're not jealous, you're funny, you're good looking, and you’re smart... I guess I just keep waiting for you to slip up but you haven't."

"I have my faults," Andrew said touching her cheek. "You don't have to look very hard."

"I haven't seen them yet," she said softly.

"I'll remind you of this the first time I piss you off," Andrew said giving her a soft kiss.

"You're doing good so far," Saffron smiled at him, resting her forehead against his.

"And you've never given me a reason to be jealous," Andrew said. "You can be friends with anyone you want. It doesn't bother me— not when we're together like this."

"If you come to Brighton with us you'd probably get to meet him," Saffron said. "When I write him back I'm going to tell him about you."

"If RJ doesn't go, I can't imagine I'd be able to," Andrew said. "I doubt the Weasleys would just take their son's best friend."

"We'll convince the jealous wanker to be there," Saffron said.

"Good luck," Andrew said with a laugh. "That boy is already in Puddlemere."

"I want you there most of all," Saffron kissed him again. "Won't be the same without you. Just like being here next year."

"I'll have to make sure I'm there then," Andrew said. "I do want to spend as much time with you as possible."

"At least we have all summer hols ahead of us," Saffron closed her eyes as he kissed her.

"And a few more weeks here," Andrew said his arms snaking around her waist.

"Right," she said, smiling at him as she cupped his face in her hands.

"I still wish there was some way I could sneak in here to see you," Andrew said. "But I don't see that happening."

"Me either," Saffron said wistfully. "We'll have to try and stick to Hogsmeade weekends and holidays."

"And letters, letters, letters," Andrew said pulling her closer.

"Every day," Saffron giggled as he kissed her neck.

"Which reminds me," Andrew said pulling away for a second. "I am a terrible letter writer."

"You'll change that for me won't you?" Saffron pouted.

"I'll try," Andrew promised. "Even if it's just something simple like 'miss you, wish you were here'."

"Sealed with a kiss?" Saffron asked, laughing.

"You going to make me get all corny, are you?" Andrew asked tickling her again.

"Maybe," she said, slapping at his hands.

"So there's a fault of mine," Andrew said still trying to tickle her. "I am an appalling letter writer and I have a hard time being corny."

"I wouldn't call those faults," Saffron kept slapping at his hands. "You're bound to be better than RJ."

"I'd certainly like to think so," Andrew said.

Saffron kissed him again. "Come on," she said. "Let's go over where we can get a little more privacy."

"You want to have your way with me?" Andrew asked getting to his feet.

Saffron laughed. "You wish Kirke."

"I do," Andrew said cheekily.

"Really?" she asked.

"Someday when you're ready," he said offering her his hand.

She smiled at him. "See, you're totally perfect."

He grinned. "I'm going to write this stuff down."

Saffron laughed. "Just keep telling it to me."

"I used to be complete rubbish at this," Andrew said holding her hand and leading her back to the castle. "My first date ever was a complete and utter disaster."

"Then you've gotten loads better," she said. "And you're really good at snogging too."

"Thanks," Andrew said puffing out his chest. As they walked up the steps, both of them were nearly knocked down by Alexa was looked about as livid as Saffron could ever remember seeing her. "Lex..."

RJ quickly followed and looked helplessly at his friends.

"She went that way," Andrew said pointing toward the lake.

"What did you do?" Saffron asked.

"Hell if I know," RJ said with a shrug. "I'll catch up with you guys later..."

Saffron shook her head. "I'm so glad you're not jealous like he is," she remarked to Andrew as RJ tore off after Alexa.

"He just thinks that bloke has an agenda," Andrew said in defence of his best friend. "And from what I've heard and from what you've told me about Ben, it seems like he's right to worry."

"Ben's a bit of a dork," Saffron said. "He might fancy Lex but he's not man enough to do anything about it while she's with another bloke."

"Let's just hope RJ knows that," Andrew said. "Come on; let's go get something to eat."

Alexa folded her arms and walked at a brisk pace toward the lake. She could hear RJ calling her name, but she ignored him.

"Wait up!" he called out. "Lex! Come on! What did I do that was so wrong?"

"Just leave me alone RJ," she snapped.

"This isn't about that loser is it?" RJ asked. "Come on, Lex. You can't blame me for getting upset. Writing to him? And about you and me no less..."

"How would you know what he's been writing to me about?" Alexa asked. "I've never showed you his letters!"

RJ looked sheepishly down at the ground.

"You found them didn't you?" she asked, her eyes blazing.

"I just read a couple," he said hastily. "You told him you were thinking about...well; that we were....it's none of his damn business, Lexie!"

"He's my best friend next to Saffron," Alexa said defensively. "And I've known him since we were babies. I tell him a lot of things!"

"Telling him you're thinking of shagging your boyfriend shouldn't be one of them," RJ said. "And that loser telling you that you should wait and that if I'm pushing you that I'm not worth it."

"BEN IS NOT A LOSER!" Alexa yelled angrily.

"How would you feel if I was writing to....Christina," RJ said folding his arms. "About what you and I do? Somehow, I don't think you'd like that very much, Alexa!"

"Ben is not my ex," Alexa glared at him. "And he's certainly never drugged me."

"He fancies you!" RJ said trying to remain calm. "And I don't think he'd be telling you to wait if he was your boyfriend."

"I don't care if he fancies me," Alexa said harshly. "I love you although at times like this I wonder WHY?"

"You know this is really how I want to spend my last few weeks," RJ said glaring at her. "I want to argue with you every single day and have to explain myself all the time."

"And you think this is how I envisioned it?" Alexa rounded on him. "Every time I turn around you're going on about how you can't wait to get out of here- I have to push you to do your homework and to study for your exams. And I get a few letters from a friend and you get all jealous!"

"What's the big deal?" RJ asked her. "I am ready to get out of here, Lex. This is everything I've ever wanted---to play professionally."

"How do you think it makes me feel knowing you're so ready to leave me?" Alexa asked, hating the tears that sprang to her eyes.

"Leave you?" RJ asked pulling a confused face. "I'm not leaving you..."

"Yes you are!" Alexa replied. "You're leaving school RJ. You're going to be thrust in everyone's face and I'm never going to get to see you!"

"That's the stupidest thing I ever heard," RJ said touching her arm. "You're going to still see me. It's not like I'm leaving the country, Lex."

Alexa turned away and stared out at the lake without saying a word.

RJ came up behind her and rested his chin on her shoulder. "I've been talking a lot about leaving, haven't I?"

"All the time," she said quietly.

"The one good thing about this place for me has been you," he said softly. "Whenever I think of Hogwarts, I'll think about you."

"I just feel like you won't have any more time for me," Alexa said. "And that makes me sound terribly selfish but I can't help it."

"I'm going to be busy," he said turning her around so he could look at her properly. "But I will always make time for you. You'll get to come to my matches during the summer and on holidays. And I'm going to need help with my new place...."

"Will you promise to at least try to come to Brighton?" Alexa asked.

"That depends," RJ said smiling cheekily at her. "You going to bring that blue bikini? I really, really, really liked you in that..."

"I will if you come," Alexa countered.

"Then I'll be there," he said giving her his most charming smile.

Alexa smiled back at him. "And please don't be jealous of Ben, RJ. Sometimes I need a guy perspective on things and I can't ask you because you're my boyfriend."

"As long as he doesn't get to see you in the blue bikini," RJ teased pulling her to him. "That's just for me."

Alexa rested her chin on his shoulder and closed her eyes. "I'm just for you," she said softly.

He kissed the top of her head. "I promise I won't read your letters anymore. That was wrong of me."

"You'd like Ben if you got to know him," Alexa said. "I'll be sure and say you've been a perfect gentleman."

"You know," he said grinning at her. "I haven't taken any pictures in awhile. How about after classes tomorrow, you and I come down here and have a picnic or something? And I'll take loads of photos of my best girl."

"Okay," Alexa replied as he kissed her. "That sounds like fun."

"And I promise not to slack off the rest of the term," he said sincerely. "My mum and Nana would probably have my head if they knew I had."

"You're right," Alexa pushed his hair out of his eyes.

He gave her another lingering kiss.

"Hey RJ?" she asked when they'd pulled apart.

"Hmmm?" RJ asked softly.

"When we go to Brighton," Alexa began shyly. "I was thinking that might be a perfect time for... for you know..."

He stared at her. "Lex...you don't have to....I mean, we don't have to ..."

"I want to," she said as she ran her hands over his chest.

"Are you sure?" he asked smiling down at her.

"Completely positive," she answered as his arms snaked around her waist. "We've been together over a year now and I know I'm never going to meet anyone like you."

"There's no one I want to be with more," he said giving her another kiss.

His words shot a thrill through her. "So we'll figure something out when we go to Brighton."

"Might be a little difficult to find some alone time," he said. "With all of my family and Saf's family."

"Your sister and Ethan always manage to find some time," Alexa said. "And if Andrew goes too, we won't have to worry about Saffron."

"We'll find a special place," he said. "Even if we have to go on the boat..."

Alexa buried her head in his shoulder. "I'm so excited."

"Me too," RJ said holding her tightly.

*** *** ***

The wedding plans were in full force and Drew and Darla were running themselves ragged trying to give their baby sister the wedding of her dreams.

Drew had been happy for the distraction. She'd also spent most of her free time with Brian, who had been a great comfort and support to her since they'd started dating.

They were meeting for coffee this morning before Drew was to attend a meeting with the caterer.

She was sitting in the coffee shop going over some notes in her planner when she realised the date. Had it really been a year? Tears sprung to her eyes as she remembered the little girl she'd never had the chance to know.

"Hey gorgeous," Brian came up behind her. "I'm glad we were able to meet today."

Drew nodded and tried to force a smile.

"Something wrong?" he asked, noticing her expression as he sat down.

"Hope," Drew whispered.

"What?" Brian asked. "Hope what?"

"Hope, my daughter," Drew said wiping at her eyes. "She would have been a year old today."

"Drew," Brian moved into the chair next to hers and gave her a hug. "Sweetheart I'm sorry... I didn't realise--"

"It's okay," she said hugging him. "You weren't to know. I didn't even realise what day it was until just now..."

"Is there anything I can do?" Brian wiped a tear from her cheek. "Anything at all?"

"Will you---will you come with me?" she asked him in a soft voice.

"Come with you?" Brian asked.

Drew nodded. "She's...she's buried in Dublin, where I used to live. I want to go see her. Will you come with me?"

"Absolutely." Brian said without hesitation.

Drew hugged him again. "Thank you."

He kissed the side of her head. "Come on, let's forget the coffee," he said helping her up.

Drew followed him out of the coffee house.

"You lead the way," Brian said once they were outside.

"We can Apparate," she said taking his hand. "Just hold on to me."

Brian gripped her hand supportively.

Drew closed her eyes and held on to Brian and they both Apparated to the small church cemetery just inside Swords Village. It was a cold, cloudy day and Drew leaned against Brian for support as she led the way to her daughter’s grave.

"Hope Anneliese Weasley," Brian read softly. "That's a gorgeous name."

Drew was silent as she knelt down and touched the small headstone.

Brian reached for a twig and transfigured it into a delicate white rose. "Here," he said, kneeling beside her.

"Thank you," she said setting the rose down on Hope's grave. She traced her daughter's name with her finger. "I never got to hold her, Brian."

"You should have," he said gently. "It would have been better for you if they'd let you hold her."

Drew nodded. "I never even...I never even saw her."

Brian pulled her close as Drew began to sob. "I'm so sorry sweetheart."

"She never had a chance," Drew said weakly. "It's so unfair, Brian. She never had a chance!"

"I know it's unfair," he said soothingly. "But you did what you had to do Drew."

"The hardest part was getting rid of the nursery," Drew said resting her head on his shoulder. "I went a little overboard actually. Darla helped me turn the spare bedroom into this really..."

Brian stroked her hair as she began to sob again. "You shouldn't have had to go through this..."

"My sweet Hope," she said clinging to Brian.

"She would have been just as beautiful as her mother," Brian said comfortingly.

Drew pulled away to look at him. "Can I have a moment?"

"Sure," he said. "I'll just be right over there okay?"

Drew nodded and turned back around. She again traced Hope's name with her finger.

"Hope," she said softly. "It's Mummy. I'm sorry I haven't been here to see you more often. I've thought about you every single day..."

Brian watched his girlfriend talk to her daughter and his stomach clenched. He wanted to smash her ex boyfriend's face in for letting her go through this alone.

"I wanted to give you so much," she said as a tear fell down her cheek. "And I still feel like there is a big part of me missing and I don't know if I'm ever going to get that back. Your Grandma Luna keeps telling me that I have to take it one day at a time. Some days, I think I'll be okay, but I see your little cousins. And I think of how much they would have loved you...."

Brian tried not to listen but he heard her crying again. He wanted to go comfort her but he knew she had to do this by herself.

"You would have been a year old today," Drew continued. "And I'm sure your grandparents would have thrown you a huge party. Your Grandpa Ron would have eaten everything in sight and laughed his head off when he saw you trying to eat cake, but getting most of it on your face. And your Uncle Jon and Uncle Josh would have probably fought about whose name you would say first. And Aunt Maddie would roll her eyes and tell you not to pay attention to a word they said.

"I miss you so much," Drew made no effort to wipe away her tears. "I wish I could go back and do something to make sure you were okay..."

Brian felt tears in his own eyes as he listened to Drew speaking. He couldn't imagine what this was like for her.

"I'm sorry I didn't have a chance to be a good mum," Drew whispered. "But I love you, I love you so much. I'll always love you baby."

"You were a good mum," Brian said softly from behind her.

"No I'm not," Drew bawled, standing up. "I could have done more to save her and I didn't!"

"Drew," Brian said reaching for her. "There wasn't anything you could have done! This wasn't your fault!"

"Yes it was," she sobbed. "I could have gone when I first realised I was having troubles!"

"Darla told me the doctors said that there was nothing you could have done to prevent this," Brian said gently.

Drew couldn't talk anymore as Brian held her closely. Her tears finally subsided several long minutes later. "I'm sorry," she said, taking the handkerchief he offered. "You shouldn't have had to go listen to all that."

"I wanted to be here," he reassured her. "I wanted to meet Hope."

"Thank you," she whispered.

"How'd you come up with the name, by the way?" Brian asked leading her over to a bench. "That's a beautiful name."

"I guess it was because I always hoped I'd have a little girl," Drew said. "I knew that would be her name the moment I found out I was pregnant."

Brian smiled and held her close.

"Drew?" a familiar voice called out behind them. They both turned to see Darla, Ron and Luna walking toward them.

"I had a feeling you'd be here," Darla said giving her twin a hug. "And Mum and Dad wanted to come too."

"You guys," Drew said, new tears springing to her eyes.

"We wanted to be here for you," Luna said softly, tears shining in her own eyes as well.

"Thanks Mum," Drew said, hugging her parents. "This really means a lot to me."

"How is she?" Darla asked in a hushed tone to Brian.

"Holding it together by about this much," Brian said, holding his fingers barely apart.

"I had a feeling," Darla said standing back with Brian as Drew led Ron and Luna over to the baby's grave.

Ron placed a bouquet of daisies on the headstone. They'd been Drew's favourite flower when she was growing up and he had a feeling that Hope would have liked them too.

"Hope Anneliese," Luna tucked Drew's hair behind her ears. "You named her beautifully sweetheart."

"You really like it?" Drew asked.

"I do," Luna kissed her daughter's forehead.

Ron knelt down and tried to stave off his own tears for the granddaughter he'd never known.

"Daddy," Drew whispered. "She would have loved you so much."

"And he'd have spoiled her rotten," Darla chimed in.

"I absolutely would have," Ron said, taking Drew's hand.

"And he might have bought her a Cornish pixie too," Drew said giving him a hug. "I'm so sorry, Daddy."

"Don't you apologise Drew," Ron said, stroking his daughter's hair. "Don't you even think of apologising. This was not your fault, you understand me?"

"If I'd taken better care of myself," Drew started to protest. "She might have..."

"Drew I heard the healers," Darla interjected. "You heard them too- there was nothing you could have done to stop this from happening."

"I'm not going to have you blaming yourself for something you had no control over," Ron said still holding onto his daughter. "We'd all do everything in our power to have her here, but it just wasn't meant to be, Drew."

"I just wish I could have had a day with her," Drew said, crying again. "Or even an hour. I didn't get to see her or hold her before they took her away!"

"Shhhh," Ron said soothingly. "Oh, sweetheart, I'd do anything to give that to you."

"I know," Drew sobbed as Brian rubbed her shoulders.

"Look," Darla said looking up at the sky. "The sun's coming out."

"That's got to mean something," Luna said, stroking Drew's cheek. "Hope is looking down on you right now sweetheart."

"And she wants her Mummy to be happy," Brian said smiling at her.

"You guys really think so?" Drew asked.

They all nodded.

"It's okay to smile and laugh and have a good time," Luna said. "It doesn't mean you've forgotten Hope and it doesn't mean that you don't still miss her."

"I've been trying," Drew said softly. "I've been trying really hard."

"We're here to help you any way we can," Ron said. "I want you to know you can talk to us anytime, Drew."

"Thank you," Drew said quietly.

"How about we go and get some coffee?" Darla suggested. "All of us. We can show Brian and Mum and Dad that old coffee house we used to love so much."

"Sure," Drew said with a small smile. "That sounds nice."

"You ready to go or do you need some more time?" Brian asked her.

"I think I'm ready," Drew said, reaching for his hand. "In more ways than one."

*** *** ***

Ethan stared at his fiancée in disbelief as she came into the sitting room carrying a huge black case. Blue was sitting on her shoulder playing with her hair.

"New living accommodations for Blue?" Ethan joked as she set the case down.

"Very funny," Maddie said. "No, smartarse. Darla let me borrow these CDs."

"CD's for what?" Ethan asked.

"To pick out our song," Maddie said flipping through the pages. Blue hopped off her shoulder and jumped up and down excitedly on the edge of the case. "Blue! Be careful you don't want to scratch them!"

"Come here little guy," Ethan held out his hand. "I'll get you a treat."

Instead of going to Ethan, Blue hopped back on Maddie's shoulder.

Ethan sighed in dismay. "And here I was thinking that he finally liked me."

"He's warming to you," Maddie reassured him.

"Yeah right," Ethan said. "Only time he likes me is during dinner."

"That isn't true," Maddie said looking sideways at the pixie. "You like Ethan, don't you, Blue?"

Blue dove under Maddie's hair in answer.

"Dolly liked me," Ethan said moving closer on the sofa so he and Maddie could look at the CD's together.

"You were Dolly's father," Maddie teased.

"That's what it was," Ethan said laughing.

"I only have these until tomorrow," Maddie replied. "So we really need to pick a song tonight. You don't have to go back to the office do you?"

"No," Ethan replied. "I am free and clear until tomorrow."

Maddie beamed at him. "Words I like to hear."

Ethan smiled at her. "Okay, let's look at these things and see if we can pick a song...who's Frank Sinatra?" He picked up that CD and grimaced. "I bet my Gran knows."

"Apparently big way back when," Maddie said with a giggle. "Drew and Dar have everything covered in here music wise."

"This looks more like our time," Ethan said holding up another one. "Lifehouse?"

"Let's try it out," Maddie said. "Blue go back to your cage baby."

Blue peeked out behind Maddie's hair and cackled at Ethan before running toward his cage and shutting the door.

"See?" Ethan asked her.

"Come on," Maddie said. "He cackles at everyone."

"He loves Will and Frankie," Ethan pointed out. "I've never seen him once cackle at them. And Caroline and Emma, too."

"Ethan don't take it to heart," Maddie said. "He's just a pixie."

"Okay," Ethan said as she loaded the CD into the player. "As long as you love me, I guess I'll be okay."

"I'll always love you," Maddie turned and kissed him.

"That's what I like to hear," Ethan said as the music began to fill the room.

What day is it? And in what month?

This clock never seemed so alive

I can't keep up and I can't back down

I've been losing so much time

Cause it's you and me and all of the people with nothing to do

Nothing to lose

And it's you and me and all of the people

And I don't know why, I can't keep my eyes off of you

"I kind of like this," she smiled up at him, her arms around his neck.

"Me too," Ethan agreed swaying with her to the music. "Not bad for Muggles.."

Maddie laughed. "What- like you can do any better?"

"You'd call off the wedding if I got up and sang," Ethan said.

"I've heard you in the shower," she said, giving him another kiss.

"And you're still with me?" Ethan teased.

"Of course I am you silly git," Maddie answered, laughing as he dipped her back.

"Mum taught me how to do that," Ethan grinned as he pulled her back up.

"Remind me to thank her," Maddie said dreamily.

"We could always do our old cha-cha-cha," Ethan grinned at her. "Remember?"

"How could I forget?" Maddie laughed.

"Blue," Ethan called out over his shoulder. "Watch this. Ready, Mads?"

"Ready," Maddie grinned excitedly.

Ethan laughed as he started their old dance. "One-two-three..."

"Cha-cha-cha," they sang together, Maddie laughing almost too hard to talk.

Blue clapped enthusiastically for them and Ethan pretended to be shocked. "He likes me, Mads! Finally!"

"Ethan you're a big goof," Maddie said, unlocking Blue's cage.

Blue bypassed Maddie this time and made a beeline for Ethan.

"Hey," Ethan chuckled. "Liked the cha-cha did you?"

Blue settled down on Ethan's shoulder and clapped his blue hands.

"That's my good little pixie," Maddie cooed.

Ethan laughed. "Want to look at the rest of these?"

"Sure," Maddie replied. "I like that one a lot though. Let's put it aside."

Ethan groaned and pointed to a CD. "If we used that one, Saffy would disown me."

"What is it?" Maddie asked curiously. "Who is... Britney Spears?" she made a face. "She doesn't look very good. Why would my sisters have this in their collection?"

"I don't know," Ethan said quickly discarding the CD. He grinned when he saw another one. "My grandparents loved this song. I think it was their song. Want to hear it?"

"Sure," Maddie agreed.

Ethan walked over to the stereo and loaded the CD. "It's called 'Smoke Gets in Your Eyes'," he said as he sat back down beside her.

"This was your grandparents' song?" Maddie asked, laying her head on his shoulder.

Ethan nodded. "I remember watching them dance to it at their anniversary party."

"Maybe you should dance to this with Elinore at the wedding," Maddie suggested.

"That is a great idea," Ethan said smiling at her. "I was thinking we might go over there for dinner some night. You and me."

"I'd love that," Maddie said, giving him a kiss. "I'll go over there with you anytime."

"We only have a few months left to go," Ethan said. "Can you believe that?"

"I'm so excited," Maddie said happily. "I'm going to be married to you."

"Me, you and Blue," Ethan said softly.

"We're going to lead a crazy life," Maddie said, kissing him.

"We already do," Ethan said pulling her close. "And what's this I hear about Frankie planning a big hen night for you?"

Maddie blushed. "I told her no strippers."

"I'm sure that went in one ear and out the other," Ethan said shaking his head. "You know how Frankie is, Mads."

"I know," Maddie said. "But I'll make her stick to it. And you remember that for the stag night as well Mr. Potter."

"I promise it will be tame compared to Justin's," Ethan said. "I can't believe he and Sarah are getting married this weekend."

"I know," Maddie said. "I'm surprised that they both wanted a small wedding."

"That surprised me too," Ethan said. "Bree and I have a bet about whether they'll baby talk during the ceremony."

Maddie laughed. "You two are mad!"

"Since she's the maid of honour and I'm the best man, we've both decided that if it happens, we will hex them both," Ethan said. "Can you imagine?"

"That would make it quite the wedding," Maddie shook her head. "I'd better make sure my dress robes are cleaned up."

"I'm glad Sarah invited you to her hen night too," Ethan said. "I like that you two are getting along now and that she's given up on Bree and me getting back together."

"We always got along," Maddie said thoughtfully. "She was never outright rude to me. She just hoped her matchmaking had paid off is all."

"I'm just glad Bree and I are still good friends," Ethan said. "And I'm glad she found Mason. He seems like a good bloke. She deserves that."

"She does," Maddie nodded. "We all managed to find some happiness." she grinned at him.

"Even the demented little pixie here," Ethan said as Blue settled down on Ethan's knee and looked adoringly at Maddie.

"Blue loves his mummy," Maddie said, laughing.

"That's for sure," Ethan said laughing too. "I imagine if Dolly were here, you'd probably want them to get married too."

"That would be so sweet," Maddie giggled as Blue streaked across the room to his cage.

"Maybe we can let him be the ring bearer in ours," Ethan joked. When he saw Maddie grin, he pulled a serious face. "A joke, Mads. That was just a joke."

"I think it'd be a marvellous idea," Maddie played along.

"No way," Ethan said firmly.

"Oh come on," Maddie said, climbing onto his lap.

Ethan shook his head.

"You're the one that came up with the idea," Maddie kissed his neck.

"It was a joke," he said determined not to cave in no matter what she did. "And you know he'd probably run down the aisle with the ring and throw it at my Great Aunt Margaret or something like that."

"You wouldn't joke about Blue," Maddie said, running her hands over his chest and suppressing a grin. "He's a part of our family too- remember?"

"I can't forget," Ethan said softly. "Mads..."

"Hmmm?" she asked, trailing her lips over his skin.

"What---what were we arguing about?" Ethan asked weakly.

"Blue..." Maddie whispered in his ear. "We don't have a ring bearer remember? No boys old enough in the family yet..."

Ethan couldn't take it anymore and finally wrapped his arms around Maddie's waist and kissed her deeply.

"Mmm..." she murmured, closing her eyes.

"You think you're good, don't you?" he asked her teasingly as he moved his hands underneath her jumper.

"I am," she said, grinning at him.

"Madeline Molly," Ethan said grinning back at her. "Blue isn't going to be in our wedding..."

"That's what you think," Maddie replied. "I was joking but you know if I really want him to be in our wedding you won't be able to say no to me."

"No one can," Ethan said chuckling. "You usually get what you want."

"That's right," she said, kissing him again. "But really, what will we do for a ring bearer?"

"Noah and Aidan can't walk yet so they're out of the question," Ethan said thoughtfully. "And Mas is just starting to crawl..."

"Wait," Maddie said. "What about one of Will's nephews?"

"Great idea!" Ethan said. "You want to ask him or Frankie about it?"

"I'll say something to Frankie," Maddie promised. "Problem solved- we make a good team." she kissed him again.

"We do make a great team," Ethan said grinning at her. Blue shook his cage. He laughed as he looked over at the pixie. "I meant you too, Blue."

Blue cackled and did a flip, sitting on the little ledge inside.

"See," Maddie said. "He likes you, Ethan."

"Finally," Ethan said. "Come on; let's look through a few more of those discs."

"I never knew they had so many," Maddie said flipping through the case.

"Yeah and I've never heard of most of them," Ethan said.

"Would you look at that?" Maddie asked pointing at a Weird Sisters album. "They have a wedding cd?"

Ethan laughed. "We've got to hear this."

Maddie picked up the CD and giggled. "Ethan, they have something on here called 'Monster Marriage'!"

Ethan snorted. "Why does that not surprise me?"

"These titles are hilarious!" Maddie said giggling.

"Okay," Ethan tickled her as he pulled the disc away. "We are not dancing to a Weird Sisters song at our wedding Maddie Molly."

"Even I would have to agree with you on that one," Maddie said. "I like the first one the best so far. That one really seems to suit us, I think."

"I like it too, but we haven't heard many others," Ethan said. They spent the next hour going through most of the discs in the case but they didn't find another they liked more than the first song.

"That was an easy decision," Maddie said putting the rest of the discs away.

"You and Me," Ethan read. "It does sound like the perfect song for us."

"It definitely fits," Maddie said resting her head on his shoulder. "Just like us."

"Right," He kissed her temple. "Oh I have a surprise for you."

"Another pixie?" she asked teasingly.

"Fortunately, no." Ethan laughed. He reached into his cloak and handed her an envelope. "Our confirmation for our honeymoon."

"Ethan!" Maddie squealed. "Where are we going?"

"We start out in Grand Cayman for a week," Ethan showed her the documents. "And then for the second week we're going to Cabo San Lucas."

"I cannot wait," Maddie said dreamily.

"It's going to be great," Ethan pushed her hair behind her ear.

"I wish our wedding was tomorrow," Maddie said eagerly. "Just so we could go ahead and leave on our honeymoon!"

"You're that excited aye?" Ethan teased. "You really want to get me in bed don't you?"

Maddie blushed. "That's a big part of it."

Ethan gave her a kiss. "I'm really looking forward to that. And I'm glad we've waited."

"Me too," Maddie said softly. "It means a lot to me that you wanted to, Ethan."

"It was something you wanted," Ethan told her. "And what you want is what I want. Especially if it makes you happy."

"I love you," she said hugging him tightly. "You make me extremely happy!"

"Obviously, if you're marrying me," he pulled her down onto the floor next to him.

Maddie giggled. "You are such a goof, Ethan James."

"A goof that you love," Ethan tickled her again.

"Very much," Maddie said laughing.

*** *** ***

Lavender smiled apologetically at the young woman who Seamus was interviewing. He had some deal with one of the local university film schools where he employed interns every fall. He kept putting off the interview process and was now trying to squeeze them all in before they left for England for the next two months.

"We really need to hurry if we want to catch our flight this afternoon," Lavender said choosing not to mention their portkey in front of the Muggle coed.

"I have one more after Miss Williams," Seamus told his wife. "I shouldn't be too much longer."

"You said that three interviews ago, Seamus," Lavender said folding her arms.

"It shouldn't be long dear," Seamus said, shooting her a look.

"Okay, fine," Lavender said rolling her eyes. "I'll just go and pack for you as always..."

She breezed out of his study and Seamus apologised to the young woman sitting across from him.

"You'll have to excuse my wife," he said with a laugh.

"Its okay, Mr. Finnigan," Laura Williams replied.

"She's a fashion designer so she always over packs," Seamus shook his head.

"She did the design on your last six films," Laura recited. She'd basically spouted out trivia to him the entire interview and Seamus thought that this girl probably knew more about him than he did. "And was nominated for an Academy Award for the designs on 'Heartbreak'. I think that was really one of your best films. And it was a great departure for you since you usually concentrate on action films and that was more of a period piece..."

"Thank you," Seamus nodded.

"Do you think you'll do more of those?" Laura asked. "Because I really think you have a flair for that, if you don't mind me saying..."

"Perhaps," Seamus replied. "At the moment I'm slated for an action film."

Laura frowned. "Oh, well that's a good genre, too. I would really love to learn from you, Mr. Finnigan. It really has been a great honour to meet you."

"It's been nice meeting you as well." Seamus shook her hand. "Someone will be in touch with you soon."

"Fantastic," she said beaming at him. "I left my cell number and email address on my resume."

"Great," Seamus smiled at her.

Seamus' long-time assistant Taryn showed Laura out and then came back in with another folder. "Your last one is a freshman at USC. Kind of young, but kind of reminds me of you..."

"Sounds good," Seamus leaned back in his chair. "Bloody hell, I hope this is a short one."

"I'll interrupt after the fifteen minute mark," Taryn promised. She went out into the hall to retrieve the student. Seamus was still going over some notes when they walked back inside the office.

"Seamus Finnigan," Taryn said standing back. "This is Gabriel Boyd."

"Gabriel," Seamus stood up and shook the young man's hand. "Thanks for coming."

Gabriel didn't respond and seemed a bit dazed as he shook Seamus' hand. "It's...it's nice to meet you, Sir."

Seamus looked over at Taryn who gave him a smirking sort of smile and left the room.

"So, how about you tell me a little about yourself?" Seamus asked, motioning for the young man to have a seat.

"Well uh..." the young man seemed at a bit of a loss. "I go to USC..."

"Right," Seamus indicated the folder in front of him. "What's your exact area of study in film?"

"I uh like films actually," Gabriel said nervously. "Very much..."

Seamus nodded slowly. "I should hope you like films..." he tried to joke.

Gabriel fidgeted in his seat wondering how on earth he'd thought he'd be able to pull this off.

"I'm nervous," he apologised. "I've never met you before..."

"Don't be nervous," Seamus replied mildly. "I'm just like any other bloke out there."

"This is a really nice house," Gabriel said looking around. It was a lot bigger and nicer than the house he'd grown up in.

"Thank you," Seamus replied. "So why don't you tell me why you want this internship?"

Gabriel opened his mouth to respond, but a blonde woman dressed in a peasant top and jeans came hurrying into the room looking none too pleased.

"Seamus!" the woman said anxiously. "Aren't you done yet?"

"Lav," Seamus said with forced patience. "I'm on my last interview. Why don't you go over pack me just a little more?"

Lavender rolled her eyes and looked at the young man sitting with her husband. He bore an uncanny resemblance to Seamus.

"Hello," Gabriel said nodding at her.

"Hi," she said. "I'm Lavender Brown Finnigan."

"Pleasure to meet you, Mrs. Finnigan," Gabriel said standing up to shake her hand.

Lavender smiled at him. "I hope my husband isn't driving you too insane with his specifications."

"Lav," Seamus said in a warning tone.

"Okay, okay," Lavender said giving her husband a kiss on the cheek. "I'll go back upstairs. But do try and hurry."

"Don't mind her," Seamus said once she was gone. "We're leaving for England in a few hours and she's fretting that I don't have enough clothing for the trip."

"If this is a bad time," Gabriel said. "We can reschedule..."

"No it's fine," Seamus replied. "Why don't we get back to the interview...?”

"Okay," Gabriel replied. "But I think there is something you should know..."

"What's that?" Seamus asked, writing something down on a pad of paper.

"I'm not a film student at USC," Gabriel said quickly. "The truth is I just graduated from high school."

"I thought you looked rather young," Seamus replied, raising an eyebrow.

"I'll be eighteen in five months," Gabriel said defensively.

"Nothing wrong with being young, son," Seamus said, not noticing Gabriel flinch at his choice of words.

"I grew up in Sacramento," Gabriel continued. "I don't want to go to film school. I want to be a doctor."

Seamus was confused. "Well what exactly can I do for you here?"

"I don't know," Gabriel said looking away. "I just thought...I don't know what I thought actually..."

"You thought..." Seamus pressed.

"I shouldn't have come here," Gabriel said getting to his feet. "I'm sorry..."

"Gabriel," Seamus was baffled. "You obviously came here for a reason--"

"Samantha Boyd," Gabriel said quietly.

Seamus froze. "You know Sam?"

Slowly, Gabriel turned around and met Seamus' gaze. "I'm her son."

Seamus's eyebrows rose. "I never knew she had a son..."

"It's not important," Gabriel said wanting to get out of this house. This had been a mistake.

"Wait just a minute," Seamus went and blocked the door. "Did something happen to her?"

Tears welled up in Gabriel's eyes as he thought about his mother. He nodded wordlessly.

Samantha Boyd had been a rather serious girlfriend for him- they had dated for awhile before he had gone with Summer and then back with Lavender. Even though their relationship had been over for years, it had ended on an amicable note and Seamus had been quite fond of her. "What?" he asked. "What happened?"

"She died three months ago," Gabriel replied.

"Shite..." Seamus was at a loss for words. "I'm so sorry. Your mother was a wonderful woman."

"She'd been sick for awhile," Gabriel said still looking at his feet. "I've been living with my grandparents since it happened."

"Is there anything I can do?" Seamus offered. "I was quite fond of your mum- it's been a long time since I've seen or heard from her but--"

"I didn't come here expecting a hand out!" Gabriel said angrily.

"All right, calm down," Seamus replied. "I just wanted to see if there was anything I could help out with."

"I've managed just fine without you for 17 years," Gabriel retorted. "I just wanted to meet you is all...and now I have..."

"What?" Seamus asked, his brows knitting together. "Meet me?"

"I live just a few miles from here," Gabriel said folding his arms. "You were so close and I didn't even know it..."

"I don't even know what this is all about," Seamus folded his arms as well.

"Right before my mother died," Gabriel said quietly. "She told me something I'd been waiting all my life to know."

Seamus shook his head. "What was that?" he asked.

"Who my father was," Gabriel said looking right at him. "You, Mr. Finnigan. You're my father."

104. 104!!

HI everyone- thanks again for all your reviews- you were all certainly steamed about that cliffie ;) In this chapter, it’s pretty much all about Seamus, Gabriel and Lavender. Next chapter we head back to Jon and Allie!

Seamus blinked for a few moments. "What?" he finally uttered.

"You're my----" Gabriel started to repeat.

"Seamus!" Lavender whined stalking into the room. "If you are not ready in ten minutes, I am leaving without you!"

Relieved at the distraction, Gabriel hurried out of the room.

'Wait just a minute," Seamus ignored his wife and ran after him. "Gabriel wait!"

"Seamus, what's going on?" Taryn called after him. "Do I need to call the guards?"

"No," Seamus hurried by her and caught up to the young man. "You wait just a minute! You can't show up in there and tell me what you did and then just leave!"

"It doesn't matter," Gabriel said shaking his head.

"Yes it does," Seamus said. "If you're my son I want you in my life!"

"You don't believe me, do you?" Gabriel asked.

"I assume you can back this up?" Seamus asked.

"I have my birth certificate and my mother’s word," Gabriel said. "She's never lied to me. You believe what you want, I don't care. I'm going home."

"Seamus what's going on?" Lavender appeared in the doorway, having heard everything they had just said.

"In a minute, Lav," Seamus turned toward her. When he turned back around, Gabriel was gone. "Shite!"

He strode past his wife and back into his office where Taryn stood gathering up some papers. "I want you to find out anything you can on Gabriel Boyd and Samantha Boyd."

"What the hell is this about?" Lavender followed her husband. "Why was that boy saying he was your son?"

"Your son?" Taryn echoed staring at her boss.

"I need an address," Seamus barked. "Right now!"

Taryn picked up the discarded folder on the floor and scanned the paperwork inside.

"317 Oak Park Drive," Taryn read aloud. "Pasadena."

"Thank you," Seamus said. "I'll be back soon Lav."

"Seamus!" Lavender exclaimed, but her husband was already out the door.

Gabriel took the bus back home to his grandparents' house. His grandfather was still at work, but his grandmother was working in the garden. She beamed at him.

"How was the campus tour?" Margaret Boyd asked her grandson. "Gabe?"

"I need to be alone right now Gran," Gabriel said. "I'm sorry..." he ran into the house.

Margaret went in after him. "Gabe, what is it? Did something happen?"

"Nothing." he muttered. "Nothing at all."

"I wish you'd have let me and Lewis come with you today," Margaret said putting her hand on his knee.

Gabriel only shook his head. "Gran I went to see my father," he confessed.

"Oh," Margaret said quietly. "Gabe..."

"Yeah," Gabriel scuffed his foot along the floor.

"Why didn't you tell us?" Margaret asked gently.

"I didn't want you to tell me not to go," Gabriel admitted.

"I wouldn't have said that," she said putting her arm around him. "I would have offered to go with you. I wouldn't have wanted you to go through that alone."

"He seemed nice enough I guess, but I don't think he believed me," Gabriel said.

"I told Samantha she should have said something to him," Margaret said shaking her head. "He had a right to know he had a son."

"His name is on my birth certificate right?” Gabriel asked. "How come she didn't want him to know? How come she never told me all this time?"

"Yes, his name is on the birth certificate," Margaret confirmed. "And she loved him so much, Gabe. But she didn't think he loved her in the same way. Things between them were cooling off when she found out she was pregnant with you and she didn't want to use you to hold on to him."

Gabriel sighed. "I just wish I'd known..."

"She did what she thought was best, Gabe," Margaret said in defence of her daughter.

"I miss her a lot," Gabriel replied quietly.

"I do too," Margaret said hugging him to her. "She would be so proud of you. I wish she could have seen your graduation...."

"I'm going to be the best doctor," Gabriel said, his voice trailing off as a taxi pulled up to the front of the house.

"What is it?" Margaret asked. "Lewis home early?"

"No," Gabriel said, swearing silently as he watched his father get out and approach the front door.

"I hope it's not that vacuum salesman again," Margaret said when she heard the doorbell. "How many times do I have to tell that idiot no?"

"It's not," Gabriel said, wanting to run out the back door. "It's him."

"I'll go and get the door then," Margaret said squeezing his hand. "It'll be okay, Gabe."

Gabriel sat down on the sofa, wiping his sweaty palms on his dress pants.

Margaret opened the door and stared at the man who had been the centre of her daughter's universe. It had been years since she'd seen him. "Hello, Seamus."

"Margaret," Seamus was surprised she remembered him. "How... how are you?"

"We're doing okay," she said forcing a smile. "Come on inside."

"Thank you," he followed her in. "Um... Gabriel came to see me... I had no idea about Sam. I'm so sorry."

"She was sick for quite some time," Margaret said motioning for him to have a seat. "Cancer. I think that's one of the main reasons Gabe wants to be a doctor."

"He must be very smart," Seamus said.

"Valedictorian of his class," Margaret said proudly picking up a photo frame from the mantle and showing it to Seamus. "That was him on his graduation day."

"Wow," Seamus said. "He... he really looks like me. He's got Sam's eyes though."

"He does," Margaret said nodding. "And he's a good kid, too. Lewis and I are very proud of him. He's going to USC in the fall. Pre-med."

"That's fantastic," Seamus replied. "Did he come home? I'd really like to see him."

"He's here, but I'm not sure that now is a good time," Margaret said. "He just found out himself right before Sam passed, Seamus."

"I know but..." Seamus ran his hands through his hair. "Look I'm leaving for England in a few hours for the next two months. I won't be back until the fall."

Gabriel stood in the doorway. "Its okay, Gran."

Seamus stood up as he looked at the young man. "I'm sorry you felt you had to run out of there," he said quickly. "The news came as a bit of a shock."

"To me too," Gabriel said leaning against the door.

"I'll get you something to drink," Margaret offered. "What can I get you Seamus? I know what Gabe wants."

"I'm okay," Seamus said. "Thanks though." he looked back at Gabriel.

"I'm fine," Gabriel told his grandmother.

"I'll be outside if you need me," Margaret said touching his arm.

Seamus waited until they were alone. "If I had known," he said. "I'd have been here long before this."

"Did you love her?" Gabriel asked quietly.

Seamus was thoughtful. "I cared about her a great deal. I think at one point yes, I did love her, but we grew apart."

"She didn't want to tie you down," Gabriel said. "That's why she didn't tell you. At least that's what my Gran says."

"I would have been here for you," Seamus said. "And for her- especially if I'd known she was sick. Your mum was an amazing woman Gabriel. I'm sure you don't need me to tell you that."

"She wouldn't have wanted your pity," Gabriel said bitterly.

Seamus drew his eyebrows together. "Can I ask why you seem to be angry with me?"

"She worked two jobs, did you know that?" Gabriel asked. "We lived in a small apartment. I used to stay with my grandparents until she got off work."

"I didn't know," Seamus said quietly. "I haven't heard from her since a few months after we broke things off."

"You didn't care," Gabriel said. "If you're thinking I'm after your money, you're wrong. If you think she was, you're wrong. She could have gone to the papers about the big shot director's bastard child. But she didn't do that. And if you're thinking I'd do that..."

"I don't care if you do," Seamus interrupted him. "Gabriel, I didn't know all right? If I had, your mother would not have had to work two jobs. You'd have been in the best school I could get you in. I'd have been a part of your life from day one."

"It's too late to change anything," Gabriel said walking over to the window and lookout out at the front yard where his grandmother was tending to her rose bushes.

"No it isn't," Seamus said. "That's why you came to see me. Not just to meet me, but you were curious weren't you?"

"Yeah," Gabriel admitted.

"Well," Seamus began. "I would like to get to know you better."

"You're leaving," Gabriel said. "You said yourself..."

"I know this is last minute, but you could come with," Seamus suggested. "We'll only be gone over the summer, so you'd be back in time to start at school."

"To England?" Gabriel asked incredulously.

"Sure," Seamus said.

"I don't know," Gabriel said.

"Come on," Seamus coaxed. "It'd be the perfect opportunity."

"I've never been overseas," Gabriel admitted. "I don't even have a passport."

Seamus's smile faltered for a moment. How was he going to explain his magical abilities to his son?

"Maybe when you come back, we could have lunch or something," Gabriel said. "You should go, Mr. Finnigan. I'm sure your wife is ready to leave and you don't want to miss your flight."

"If I can manage it, will you go?" Seamus asked. "Please Gabriel? I really would like us to get to know each other."

"You can't get me a passport on such short notice," Gabriel said shaking his head. "It's a nice thought, Mr. Finnigan, but it's okay."

"If I can manage it," Seamus said again. "Will you come?"

Gabriel did want to get to know this man better. He had so many questions he wanted to ask and so many things he needed to know. "If you can manage it, I'll go."

"Great," Seamus smiled. "Why don't you pack up- don't worry about leaving anything, whatever you need I'll get you once we're there."

"What time is the flight?" Gabriel asked. "Shouldn't you arrive a couple of hours before the departure?"

"I'll tell you everything once I come back." Seamus promised.

"A boat?" Gabriel asked pulling a confused face. "Mr. Finnigan..."

"You can trust me Gabriel," Seamus told him.

And somehow, Gabriel did trust him. "Okay. What...what time will you be back?"

"An hour," Seamus said. "Think you'll be ready?"

"I think so," Gabriel said. "My grandparents..."

"Will they mind?" he asked.

"I'm not sure," Gabriel said. "I could ask..."

"Sure," Seamus didn't want to seem pushy. "I understand."

"You don't have to do this," Gabriel said. "I know you're busy and that woman in your office said that you were going to be shooting some big film. I'd just be in the way."

"You are most definitely not in the way," Seamus said firmly. "I want you to be there Gabriel."

"I'll go and ask her," Gabriel said brushing past Seamus and out the door.

Seamus walked over to the fireplace and stared at the photos that adorned the mantle.

He smiled as he spied one in particular of Samantha holding a three or four year old Gabriel. There was suddenly no question in his mind that this young man was his son- the smile and the way Gabriel held himself in the photo was exactly the way Seamus did.

His mobile phone started to ring and Seamus knew immediately who it was.

"Lav," he said when he answered it.

"What's going on?" she asked shrilly.

"Calm down," he said. "I can't explain this over the phone all right?"

"Then come home and tell me," Lavender said quietly. "Seamus..."

"I'll be there in just a little while," he said in a soothing tone. "Lav I need you to do me a huge favour."

"What?" she asked.

"I need you to go find John Turner," he said, referring to a wizard who was a government official that owed him a favour. "Tell him I need a passport in the name of Gabriel Boyd and I need it in an hour."

"Okay," she said. "But you better tell me exactly what's going on when you get home."

"I promise I will sweetheart," Seamus said. "I love you."

"I love you too," she said softly.

Seamus had just clicked off his phone when Seamus and Margaret came back into the house.

"You can use your grandfather's luggage," Margaret told Gabriel. "It's in the attic."

"So you're going?" Seamus asked, a smile touching the corners of his mouth.

Gabriel nodded and hurried back toward his bedroom.

"You promise me that you'll look out for him?" Margaret asked.

"I swear it," Seamus said. "He's my son..."

"And he's all that Lewis and I have left of Sam," Margaret said. "I don't want him hurt."

"I promise he won't be," Seamus said. "I want to start giving him opportunities that I couldn't give him before."

"I'd like to know where he'll be staying," Margaret said.

"My wife and I have a place in London," Seamus reached into his pocket for a card. "This is the phone number and address." he wrote down his mobile number on the back. "And this number you can reach me on at anytime. I'll make sure to tell my assistants that you and your husband can reach me anytime no matter what."

"She's okay with this?" Margaret asked warily. "Your wife, I mean?"

"She will be," Seamus said. "Lav's not a cruel woman. She's going to be surprised but she'll treat Gabriel well."

"I hope so," Margaret said. "I'll just go and see if Gabe needs any help."

"I've got to go and settle a few things," Seamus said. "I'll be back in about an hour to pick him up."

Margaret nodded and went to help her grandson pack.

Lavender was anything but calm. She was pacing back and forth in the sitting room of the mansion wondering what on earth was going on. Seamus' government contact had rushed over a passport and she had no idea why.

"You know anything about this kid, Taryn?" she asked Seamus' assistant. "Anything?"

"He was raised in Sacramento," Taryn answered. "And then moved here with his mother a few years back. She died three months ago and he lives with her parents." she looked at Lavender sympathetically. "I'm sure Seamus will explain it all."

"He'd better," Lavender muttered.

"The boy did look a lot like him," Taryn volunteered. "The resemblance was pretty uncanny..."

"He did," Lavender reluctantly admitted. When she'd first spotted Gabriel, it had been like going back in time to when she'd met Seamus at Hillsdale.

"No matter what, he loves you," Taryn said. "In all the years I've worked for him, he's never been so crazy for another woman."

"I know that," Lavender said. "It's just not everyday that some strange person shows up claiming to be..."

Her voice trailed off when she heard the front door open.

"Seamus!" she hollered, running into the front hall. "What ON EARTH is going on here?"

"I don't even know where to begin, Lav," Seamus said with a sigh.

"Gabriel Boyd," Lavender thrust the passport at him. "He's your son?"

Seamus looked past his wife at Taryn. "Taryn, can you check on the flight schedules to London. We need the first available."

"I thought we were taking a portkey," Lavender crossed her arms.

"You still can," Seamus said. "But he doesn't know what we are, Lavender. I don't think now is the time to spring this on him."

"Seamus," Lavender said. "Please tell me what's going on. How is this boy your son and how have you not known him all these years?"

Taryn excused herself to go check with the airlines leaving the couple alone. Seamus took his wife's hand and led her back into his office. They sat down on the sofa.

"You remember me telling you about a woman named Samantha Boyd?" he asked her.

"Vaguely," Lavender said. "You dated her after we broke up right?"

"Aye," Seamus said. "I met her right after I arrived here in the States."

"So... you two have a son together," Lavender wrapped her arms around herself.

"I didn't know and neither did Gabriel," Seamus said quickly. "When we broke things off, I thought that was it. If I had known..."

"You'd have been there," Lavender said quietly.

"You wouldn't believe how close they live to us," Seamus said shaking his head. "All this time, he was here and I didn't even know it."

"I just have to ask," Lavender said. "Is this her way of trying to worm into your life? Does she want child support?"

"Sam wasn't like that," Seamus said softly. "She...she died three months ago, Lavender."

"Oh," Lavender pressed her lips together. "I'm sorry..."

"Apparently, she told Gabriel about me right before she died," Seamus said tears welling up in his eyes. "I know this is crazy, Lavender. But when I went to see him, I knew. He's my son. And he's so angry..."

"I think that's understandable," Lavender put her hand on her husband's arm. "You have to prove to him that you want to be a part of his life."

"Which is why I asked him to come with us to England," Seamus said looking at his wife. "I'd understand if you weren't ready for that, but I really want to do this. He's not led an easy life, Lavender. Sam was working two jobs to support him."

"I understand Seamus," Lavender said. "He seems like a very nice young man."

Seamus hugged his wife. "You don't know how much this means to me, Lavender."

"You have a son," Lavender's eyes filled with tears. "And he needs you." she buried her face in his shoulder. "I wish I had given you kids now."

"It's okay," Seamus said holding her close. "Sweetheart, I wouldn't have changed anything about our life."

"Do you think he'd accept me too?" Lavender wiped her eyes. "I don't want to take his mother's place of course but--"

"That's why I want him to come with us," Seamus said softly. "So we can get to know him and he can get to know us. And I'll have to make a stop in Ireland too so my parents can meet him."

Lavender nodded. "Right," she said. "And he's going to come for the whole time we're there?"

"Yes," Seamus nodded. "He doesn't start school until September." A proud smile broke across his face. "He's going to be a doctor, Lav."

"I think that's wonderful," she touched his cheek. "Seems like you've got a lot to be proud of."

Taryn came back into the room. "Three seats, first class. British Airways departing at 6:15 this evening. Best I could do on short notice."

"Thanks Taryn," Seamus said.

"Listen, I think I'll go on ahead with the portkey," Lavender said. "I'll have a room set up for him so it's ready when you both get there- you'll be quite tired by that point."

Seamus gave her a kiss. "Thank you."

"And this will give you time to get to know each other without me butting in," Lavender hugged him again.

Taryn looked as if she wanted to say something but was reluctant to do so.

"What is it?" Seamus asked her.

"I hate to bring this up, Seamus, but are you sure?" Taryn asked. "You know how people are. You want me to arrange some tests. I know he's the spitting image of you and all, but ..."

"It was Sam," Seamus told her. "It's on the birth certificate... and I just have this feeling. I'll do what I have to do to establish paternal rights of course... but I just know."

Taryn nodded and smiled at her boss. "I'll just go book those seats then."

"Thanks," Seamus replied.

Lavender looked at him. "You may want to do some testing, just to be on the safe side- to find out if there are any sicknesses or anything... and just so it's on the record."

"We can arrange all that at the end of the summer," Seamus said.

"Okay," Lavender said. "I'll bring over your luggage with me so you'll only have his to worry about."

"You are the best," Seamus said squeezing her hand. "You know that, right?"

"I like to think so," Lavender smiled at him. "I hope you can work things out with him... make him realise you want to be part of his life."

"I do," Seamus said. "More than anything."

"I'll do anything I can to help you make that happen," Lavender kissed him again.

"Thank you," Seamus said softly.

Gabriel was just finishing packing and he looked at his grandmother. "This is crazy, Gran. I remember when you and Grandpa wanted to go to Greece for your birthday. It took how many weeks for you to get your passport? I know Mr. Finnigan’s famous and all, but..."

"I think if he says he can get it taken care of, then he can." Margaret looked fondly at her grandson. "This is your father, Gabe. You've wanted to know him all your life and now you do."

"I don't know him though," Gabriel said sitting down on the edge of the bed. "All I know is the stuff I've seen in magazines and on television."

"But you're going to get the chance you've always wanted," Margaret patted his hand. "You've never had to say it aloud for me and your mother to know you've wanted a father in your life."

"But I'm not a kid anymore," Gabriel said quietly. "And it's not as if I can ask him to play a game of catch, can I?"

"You'd be surprised," Margaret replied.

"I bet he doesn't even know how to play baseball," Gabriel said with a shrug. "I can't imagine he'd want to go with me and Grandpa to see the Dodgers play."

Margaret looked at her grandson. "Gabriel... I love you dearly- but you went and searched him out. Now within an hour of knowing you, he's taking you to England and you're just focusing in on everything negative in this situation."

Gabriel let out a slight laugh. "So in other words, lighten up, Gran?"

"It might help things a bit," she smiled at him. "Just be yourself."

"I'll try," he said giving her a hug. "I'll try and bring you some chocolate back."

"I don't need it," she started to protest.

"But you want it just the same," Gabriel finished grinning at her.

"I never say no to it," Margaret laughed. "And write to us Gabriel. Tell us what's going on."

"I will," Gabriel promised. "I hate that I won't get to see Grandpa before I go."

"I'll tell him you said goodbye," Margaret said. "And you can give him a call later on."

The doorbell chimed and Gabriel stood up. "I just need to get a few more things."

"I'll go and keep him company," Margaret offered. There was something she'd wanted to give to Seamus anyway. She gave her grandson a sympathetic smile before heading out of the room.

Seamus shoved his hands in his pockets. He hoped that these next two months would help his son's anger cool down and that they could accept one another as a part of each other's lives.

"He's nearly ready," Margaret said when she opened the door. "Come on in."

"Thanks," Seamus said. "There's no rush- I changed my flight so he and I don't leave until 6:15."

Margaret walked over to the coffee table and picked up one leather bound photo album and a smaller, white and baby-blue coloured album. "I thought you'd want to take a look at these. The big one is some pictures of Gabe that we've taken through the years. And the other one is the baby book Sam made for him."

"Thanks," Seamus grinned, sitting down. "Will you join me?"

Margaret smiled. "Sure."

They looked through the photo album quietly for a few minutes. "Sam was really beautiful," Seamus said quietly.

"Yes she was," Margaret said trying not to cry. "That was the first day Sam brought Gabe home from the hospital. He was six pounds and two ounces."

Seamus traced over his former girlfriend's face with his finger. "I wish I had known," he said. "I really do."

"She found out she was pregnant a couple of weeks after you'd broken things off," Margaret said. "I told her she should tell you, but she was too proud."

"I'd have been there every moment," Seamus pressed his lips together. "Gabriel and Sam wouldn't have wanted for anything."

"Please don't hold Sam's decision against Gabriel," Margaret said softly. "He didn't know, but he always had questions. Lewis filled in when he could, but it wasn't the same."

"I wouldn't hold it against him," Seamus shook his head. "Not for a moment."

Margaret smiled and they continued to flip through the pages of the album. A picture of a six-year old Gabriel holding a baseball bat and dressed in a little league caused Margaret to laugh. "That boy lives and breathes baseball. Played all four years in high school."

"He likes baseball aye?" Seamus grinned. "He'll be pleased to know I have season tickets to any game he could possibly want to go to."

"He usually sits in the outfield bleachers with Lewis," Margaret said. "They're terrible seats, but they've been doing that for years."

"They're not bad seats, Gran," Gabriel said from the doorway. "Grandpa always says we can see the entire field from our seats."

"Hi Gabriel," Seamus stood up. "Your grandmother and I were just looking at some old photos of you and your mum."

"Why don't you join us?" Margaret asked giving her grandson a pleading look.

"Sure," Gabriel shrugged. "I thought we had to leave though."

"I got us a later flight," Seamus said. "We have time and I'd like to see the pictures, if that's all right with you."

"Okay," Gabriel said in a noncommittal tone.

Seamus sat back down and Gabriel reluctantly sat down beside him.

Margaret laughed. "Gabe! I had forgotten all about this one! Look!"

Gabriel had to smile. "My second grade play. I was an acorn."

"Best acorn there ever was," Margaret corrected.

"What was the play about?" Seamus asked.

"My teacher wrote some corny play about the animals in the forest," Gabriel replied. "I wanted to be a big grizzly bear, but that went to my best friend Nico."

"In the middle of the play," Margaret said laughing. "He starts growling like a bear."

Seamus chuckled. "You're an actor at heart."

"That was my first and last performance ever," Gabriel said joining in on the laughter.

"Looks like it was one to remember," Seamus said. "Wish I'd been there."

The smile on Gabriel's face fell. "Yeah..."

Seamus turned the page, not wanting to bring up a sore subject again. "Who's that?" he pointed to a photo of Gabriel and a pretty girl.

"Emily Parker," Gabriel answered. "She's just a girl I used to know at school."

"She was Gabriel's girlfriend," Margaret revealed.

"Gran," Gabriel said blushing.

"She was," Margaret insisted.

"Until she dumped me for a tailback at UCLA," Gabriel corrected. "I guess I couldn't compete with a college guy."

"Well then you're better off without her," Seamus said.

"That's what we told him," Margaret said.

"That and she didn't understand why I couldn't spend as much time with her," Gabriel said. "It was right after Mom found out...that she had...well, that she was..."

"Sick," Seamus finished. "It's her loss."

"You're a very loyal boy Gabe," Margaret said. "Your mother loved spending her last few months with you..." the older woman wiped a tear from her eye.

"I wouldn't have missed it either," Gabriel said stoically.

Seamus smiled at Gabriel and to his relief, the boy smiled back at him.

"Why don't you take those books with you?" Margaret asked. "You and Gabe could look at them on the plane. Just make sure you bring them back."

"Really?" Seamus asked. "You wouldn't mind?"

"I don't mind at all," Margaret said. "And maybe your wife would like to see them too."

"I'm sure she wouldn't want to look at my baby pictures," Gabriel said.

"Lav's very interested in you," Seamus told him.

"She didn't look as if she believed me," Gabriel said quietly.

"It was quite a shock," Seamus told him. "For everyone..."

"I shouldn't have shown up like I did," Gabriel said.

"No," Seamus shook his head. "I'm glad you did."

"I would have tried to go about it differently, but you're not the easiest person to see," Gabriel said. "And I was at the campus library doing some research on you and I saw this article in the student paper talking about you interviewing people for the internship and I sort of took my chance."

"I know this is all sudden but I'm not one to run away from my responsibilities." Seamus said to both Gabriel and Margaret. "I plan on doing what I have to do to claim you officially Gabriel."

"Mr. Finnigan..." Gabriel started to say.

"Call me Seamus," he interrupted. "I don't expect you to call me Dad or anything. I'd understand if that's uncomfortable."

"You don't owe me anything, Mister...Seamus," Gabriel argued.

"Yes I do," Seamus replied.

Gabriel was shocked to say the least. "I didn't come to find you because I wanted money, sir. I just wanted to know where I came from and who you were. You just met me today."

"I plan on having tests done when we get back so we can establish everything officially." Seamus said. "And as far as money goes, there's more to it than that. You're my son- I don't have any other kids. I want you in my life Gabriel."

"Tests?" Gabriel asked defensively.

"We have to do them to establish paternity," Seamus said calmly.

"To make sure I'm telling you the truth you mean," Gabriel said defiantly.

"Gabe," Margaret said gently.

"I do believe you," Seamus said. "Gabriel, I wish you weren't so angry with me. I wish there was something I could do or say to you to make it easier."

"You remember how you felt when Sam told you about Seamus?" Margaret asked. "Like you were being thrown for a loop, right? You didn't believe your mother at first either, Gabe."

"Yeah I know," Gabriel muttered.

"So maybe you could try seeing this from his point of view," Margaret suggested. "Muddle through this together and find some common ground."

"Look I promise if you start to feel uncomfortable in England, I’ll fly you back," Seamus said. "But I hope you'll feel at home enough with me and Lavender to stay the whole time."

"Okay," Gabriel said meeting his father's gaze.

Seamus extended his hand to his son. "Think we can work through this?"

Gabriel looked at his grandmother who nodded encouragingly. Finally, he shook Seamus' hand.

"Great," Seamus said, smiling again.

"You two should probably get going," Margaret said.

"Are you ready?" Seamus asked.

Gabriel nodded.

"I'll have him ring you once we arrive," Seamus said. "It'll be pretty late..."

Margaret gave Seamus a hug. "Take care of our boy."

"I will," Seamus said. "It was good to see you again Margaret."

Margaret smiled at him before turning her attention back to her grandson. "You're going to have a great time and smile every once in awhile..."

"I know Gran," Gabriel hugged his grandmother tightly. "Thanks."

"Have a safe trip," Margaret called out as Gabriel grabbed his bags and followed Seamus out of the house.

Gabriel looked back at his grandmother- he thought he could see tears in his eyes as he got into the car.

"Lavender and I have a flat in London," Seamus explained. "We'll be staying there most of the time, but I was thinking that perhaps you might like going to Brighton."

"Brighton?" Gabriel asked. "I've heard of that place- it looks nice."

"It is," Seamus said. "Really nice and peaceful. My wife's cousin has a summer house there. They go every summer with their children and some family friends. Lavender and I haven't gone in years, but I think it'd be nice. If you're up for it."

"Will you go too?" Gabriel asked.

"I'm going to be in pre production for my film, but I will be there at night and on weekends," Seamus said. "And there'll be some kids your own age there, too. Lav's cousin, Hermione, has a 15-year old daughter."

"What's her name?" Gabriel was curious. "Is she the only one my age?"

"Saffron," Seamus answered. "And no, she won't be the only one. My friends Ron and Luna bring their children and they have a boy about your age, RJ. They usually bring a friend or two."

"Cool," Gabriel nodded, looking out the window.

"My parents still live in Dublin," Seamus said. "And I'd like you to meet them, too."

"Okay," Gabriel said.

Seamus leaned back in his seat and wondered when he would tell his son the truth about his magical abilities. He didn't want to ask his friends and family to hide it, but he didn't want to make his son uncomfortable.

"Is your wife meeting us at the airport?" Gabriel asked.

"Lav's actually gone on ahead," Seamus replied. "She wanted to have a room ready for you. And she also wanted to give us some time by ourselves."

Gabriel nodded and looked out the window. He was curious about something, but he wasn't quite sure how to ask it.

"You can ask me anything you want, you know." Seamus said. "I'll tell you whatever you want to know."

"I never asked my mother how she met you," Gabriel said still looking out the window. "There wasn't time to go into it much."

Seamus smiled. "She was working in a pub- bar rather, that I used to frequent when I was younger. Sam waited on me one night and we just couldn't stop talking."

"You tried to pick her up?" Gabriel asked curiously.

"Not really," Seamus laughed. "She kept coming by my table."

"She was a waitress," Gabriel pointed out. "What did you expect?"

"I'm talking like she took every chance she could to walk by," Seamus said. "And then I asked her if I could buy her a drink... and that turned into dinner."

Gabriel turned and looked back out the window.

"What?" Seamus asked. "It's how we met."

"Sometimes it's hard to talk about her is all," Gabriel said resting his head against the window.

"Right," Seamus nodded. "I'm sorry..."

"I just wanted to know that she meant something to you," Gabriel said quietly.

"Absolutely she did," Seamus said without hesitation. "Lavender and I were together 5 years when we broke up. And it was another fifteen before she and I got back together. During that time, your mother was the only woman that actually meant anything to me."

"Really?" Gabriel asked.

"I swear it," Seamus looked directly at him.

"Did she ever cook for you?" Gabriel asked with a wistful smile on his face.

"She was the best cook," Seamus said. "The way she made pancakes--"

"I always liked her chocolate chip ones the best," Gabriel said smiling broader this time.

"Those were great- but my favourites were the cinnamon ones," Seamus said. "I get hungry just thinking about those."

"The cinnamon ones were good too," Gabriel said. "Just not as good as the chocolate chip."

"She ever teach you anything in the kitchen?" Seamus asked.

"A little," Gabriel said. "But I'm nowhere near as good as she was."

"I don't think anyone could be," Seamus smiled fondly.

"She used to take me to see your movies," Gabriel told him.

"Really?" Seamus was surprised.

Gabriel nodded. "She loved them all."

"She liked it when I did my first love film," Seamus remembered.

"She loved movies like that," Gabriel said.

"I dedicated my first one to her," Seamus replied.

"Really?" Gabriel asked. "I didn't know that..."

"I don't think she ever told anyone," Seamus said. "She was modest that way."

"She was the best," Gabriel said stoically.

Seamus nodded as the driver pulled the car into the airport. "Got your bags?" he asked.

"Yes sir," Gabriel replied. "You...you were able to get my passport?"

"I was," Seamus fished in his case and handed it to him.

Gabriel opened it and couldn't hide the look of surprise on his face. "How'd you get this? And the picture of me, too..."

Seamus smiled. "I know a government official who owed me a favour."

"Thank you," Gabriel said genuinely.

"You're welcome," Seamus said, resting a hand on his son's shoulder. "Have you ever flown before?"

"A couple of times," Gabriel said.

"Good," Seamus said. "We'll check our bags just inside here and then if you're hungry, we can get something to eat."

"Anything but sushi," Gabriel said. "I hate that stuff."

Seamus roared with laughter. "Don't tell Lav. It's her favourite food."

"Fish should be cooked," Gabriel said his face still scrunched up in disgust.

"I completely agree," Seamus said as they got into line.

"What's your movie about?" Gabriel asked conversationally.

"It's an action film," Seamus said. "About a man whose family gets kidnapped and he's got to outsmart the kidnappers. It sounds like any other plot but it's got a real twist ending to it."

"That sounds pretty cool," Gabriel said smiling at him. "Don't tell me the twist though. I don't want to be spoiled."

"I won't say a word," Seamus grinned. "If you like, you can come to the premiere with Lav and me."

"I'd like that," Gabriel said.

Seamus nodded. "I'm already looking forward to it."

After they checked their bags and obtained their boarding passes, they made their way down the concourse. This was going better than Seamus had imagined and he was glad his son actually seemed to be opening up to him.

"This airport is huge," Gabriel was looking around.

"Wait until you see Heathrow," Seamus said. Truth be told, it had been a while since he'd travelled this way.

"Would it be okay if we got something to drink?" Gabriel asked. "I have some money with me--"

"It would be fine," Seamus replied. "And you don't have to pay for it. It's on me."

"It's okay," Gabriel said. "You already paid for the plane and all that..."

"And you are my son," Seamus said. "Now, the only question I have is where you want to go. There's a pizza place, burgers, and Mexican..."

"Pizza sounds great right now actually," Gabriel said. "I am a bit hungry too."

"I was hoping you'd say pizza," Seamus grinned. "Lav is into health food so I very rarely get to eat it. I take that back, she likes to eat it with low-fat cheese."

"Gross," Gabriel said. "That's no way to eat pizza."

"We'll outnumber her now," Seamus said with a wicked grin. "I've been looking for an ally for quite some time."

Gabriel chanced another grin at his father as they got into line.

"I give her grief but she's not that bad," Seamus said. "She's been driving me crazy since the day I met her."

"That doesn't sound so good," Gabriel laughed.

"She says the same thing about me," Seamus said. "She's been through a lot, too. She lost both her parents when she was just a child."

"She did?" Gabriel asked. "What happened to them?"

"Car accident," Seamus said. "She was raised by her aunt and uncle."

"That must have been hard for her." Gabriel picked up a slice of pizza from under a warming lamp.

"It was," Seamus said picking up a slice as well. "She knows what you're going through and I'm sure if you wanted to talk to her..."

"I'll keep it in mind," Gabriel pushed ahead.

The cashier rang up Gabriel's order and told him the total.

"No," Seamus told her. "I've got that."

"I can get it," Gabriel said. "Really- I have my own money."

Seamus handed the cashier a twenty-dollar bill. "Both please."

Gabriel sighed as his father paid for both their meals. "I have my own money," he insisted when they sat down.

"It's just a slice and a drink," Seamus said. "I don't mind, Gabe."

"I just don't want you to think I can't pay my own way." Gabriel said.

"I know you can," Seamus reassured him.

Gabriel looked ruefully at his pizza. "I'm sorry," he said. "My Gran told me to stop being so defensive with you."

"I'm not the enemy," Seamus said. "I'm not that bad when you get to know me."

"I know," Gabriel said. "I'm really trying. I guess I didn't expect all this to happen."

"You and me both," Seamus mused. "This morning I woke up and had no idea by the end of the day, I'd be flying home with my son."

"Yeah," Gabriel toyed with his straw. "I thought you'd probably kick me out of your house when I told you who I was."

"And I hope you know that I'm not asking for those tests because I don't believe you," Seamus said.

"I guess I know that," Gabriel replied. "I mean, you wouldn't be taking me to England if you didn't believe me."

"I knew when I looked at your photograph back at your grandparents' house," Seamus said. "The one with you and Sam."

"Which one?" Gabriel was curious.

"The one in the silver frame on the mantle," Seamus replied. "You look to be about four or five. It was almost like looking at myself as a boy."

"I look that much like you as a kid?" Gabriel asked interestedly.

"You'll see when we get to England," Seamus said. "And probably when you visit my mum and dad in Ireland."

"Do you think they'll like meeting me?" Gabriel said apprehensively.

"I'm their only child and they've been on me for years about grandchildren," Seamus said with a grin. "And now..."

Gabriel took a bite of his pizza. "What's it like flying overseas?" he changed the subject. "I've obviously never left the country."

"Truth be told, it's a long, long flight," Seamus said thoughtfully. "And when we finally get there, you have to go through customs."

"Customs?" Gabriel asked.

Seamus nodded. "Anytime you travel to a foreign country, you have to show them your passport and explain what you're going to be doing in the country and how long you're going to stay..."

"Oh," Gabriel said. "You'll show me how to take care of all that right?"

"Aye," Seamus said. "I'll be right there."

Back in London, Hermione and Harry had enjoyed a quiet evening with Saffron, who was on her summer holiday. They'd just drifted off to sleep when Lavender barged into their bedroom and gently shook her cousin.

"Oh bloody hell," Harry groaned when he saw her. "Lav, what the hell are you doing here?"

"It's so great to see you too Harry," Lavender said sarcastically. "I'm having an emergency all right?"

"This isn't some fashion emergency is it?" Harry asked his eyes still closed.

"Harry," Hermione said pulling back the covers and reaching for her dressing gown.

"You tell me what it is in two hours when she's finished with what should be a five minute explanation," Harry muttered, turning his face into his pillow.

Lavender glared at him. "Nice to know you're there for me, Harry. I wouldn't want to interrupt your beauty sleep."

"Come on," Hermione said putting an arm around her cousin. "We'll go have some tea and you can tell me all about it."

"Hermione you have to promise you won't breathe a word of this," Lavender said. "And when Seamus gets here you have to act surprised."

"I promise," Hermione whispered leading her out of the bedroom and downstairs to the kitchen. The kitchen wasn't empty however as Saffron was seated at the table talking on Hermione's mobile.

"Saffy what are you doing up?" Hermione asked.

Saffron nearly jumped out of her seat when she saw her mother and Lavender. "I'll have to call you tomorrow, Andrew. Bye!"

She set the phone down on the counter. "I'm sorry. I thought you wouldn't mind, Mum."

"I don't," Hermione was amused. "But why aren't you on your own telephone?"

"The battery died," Saffron admitted sheepishly. "Aunt Lav! What are you doing here?"

"Hi love," Lavender hugged her. "I'll be here for the next two months with Seamus and um... with Seamus."

Saffron grinned. "I love it when you guys are here. And Gran's going to be so happy to see you!"

"I can't wait to see her," Lavender said. "Saffy you get more and more beautiful every time I see you!"

Saffron beamed at her. "Thanks, Aunt Lav."

Hermione ruffled her daughter's long hair. "Why don't you go on upstairs? Your Aunt Lav and I have to talk."

"About what?" Saffron asked. "Why can't I stay?"

"Because it's past your bedtime for one," Hermione replied.

"Mum it's half past ten," Saffron said. "I don't even go to sleep this early at school."

"She can stay," Lavender said. "It's not like she's not going to find out."

Saffron grinned. "Aunt Lav says it's okay, Mum."

Hermione shook her head. "You are so like your father when it comes to getting your way." she said with a smile.

"But she's not nearly as annoying," Lavender said sitting down at the table beside Saffron.

Saffron laughed. "Already have a run in with Dad?"

"Just a small one," Lavender replied. "But that's the least of my worries now."

"What's on your mind?" Hermione set the tea kettle on. "Did you have a row with Seamus?"

Lavender shook her head. "Nothing like that. It's bigger than that. Um, I don't even know how to tell you this, Hermione."

Hermione frowned. "Lav you aren't getting divorced are you?"

"No!" Lavender said quickly. "Of course not!"

"Are you moving back to London permanently?" Saffron asked.

"No," Lavender sighed. "This is... well it's..." she ran her hands through her hair. "Seamus has a son." she blurted.

"What?" Hermione and Saffron echoed.

"He has a son," Lavender said. "With a woman he dated while we were apart."

Saffron was speechless.

"When did all of this come out?" Hermione asked.

"Today," Lavender admitted. "Seamus was interviewing for his fall internship and this boy- his name is Gabriel, he came in and then the next thing I know, Seamus is telling me that's his son."

"And he has proof?" Hermione asked.

"He looks just like Seamus, Hermione," Lavender replied quietly. "It's uncanny."

"But a lot of people could look like him right?" Saffron asked.

"Of course, but Seamus believes him and the dates add up, Saffy," Lavender said.

"What about his mother?" Hermione asked. "What does she think about all of this?"

"She died," Lavender said as Saffron got their tea. "About three months ago."

"That poor boy," Hermione said sympathetically.

"What does Seamus think of all this?" Saffron asked.

"He's a little shocked to say the least," Lavender said thoughtfully. "But he wants to be a part of Gabriel's life and he's going to bring him to London. They're flying over now."

"Why not just use a portkey?" Saffron asked.

"He's a Muggle," Lavender replied. "Seamus isn't sure how to bring up our magic capabilities."

"Oh," Saffron said.

"How do you feel about all this?" Hermione asked putting a hand on her cousin's arm.

"I'm not sure," Lavender said with a small smile. "I mean... I guess I felt a bit threatened but Gabriel seems like a nice enough young man..."

"You don't need to feel threatened," Hermione told her. "Seamus loves you, Lavender. Nothing could change that."

"I know," Lavender nodded. "I told him I wish I had given him kids. I mean, I know it's really not too late for us to have any but we're both so busy all the time you know?"

"And you both agreed on that," Hermione said.

"Now you have a stepson," Saffron said. "And I'm sure you're going to be great with him, Aunt Lav. You were always great with me."

"Thanks love," Lavender smiled at her. "I appreciate that."

"I can't wait to meet him," Saffron said grinning at Lavender. "I'd be happy to help show him around. He could even come to Brighton with us!"

"Slow down, Saffy," Hermione said laughing. "The boy hasn't even landed on English soil yet."

"I know but we want to make him feel welcome right Mum?" Saffron said.

"Of course we do," Hermione said.

"I need your help," Lavender said. "I have no idea what teenage boys would like. I came ahead so I could help set up a room for him at our flat."

"I'll help you," Saffron offered. "I know what teenage boys like."

Hermione laughed. "Let's be glad your father didn't hear that."

Saffron blushed. "I didn't mean that the way it came out," she giggled, making Lavender laugh as well.

"Would you mind if I stole Saffron away for a couple of hours then?" Lavender asked Hermione. "She is out of school. I just need some help getting snack foods and setting up the room. I'll bring her back as soon as we're done."

"Please Mum?" Saffron begged.

"I think that would be very nice of you," Hermione told her daughter.

"Thank you," Saffron hugged her. "I'm going to go change."

"How are you really doing?" Hermione asked her cousin when they were alone again. "I know this must have been a big shock for you, Lavender."

"It is," Lavender replied as she finished her tea. "I mean... he's got a son, Hermione. Seamus has a child that he never knew about."

"If all this happened today, I don't imagine you had that much of a chance to talk about what this really means," Hermione said sympathetically.

"Just a little bit," Lavender said. "And Gabriel seems quite nice- a bit guarded and obviously a little angry too..."

"Angry?" Hermione asked.

"I think he's a bit angry that his mother never told him about Seamus, and I think he's taking it out on him a bit. Hopefully the plane ride over will help them sort some things out." Lavender told her cousin.

"You should be able to help him too," Hermione said softly. "You know what he's going through."

"Yeah," Lavender smiled a little at her cousin. "I sort of do."

"You know that we'll do anything we can to help," Hermione said. "And if you want to bring him to Brighton, we'd love to have you."

"Thanks Hermione," Lavender hugged her. "I knew I could count on you. I've always been able to."

Saffron bounded back into the kitchen. "I'm ready!" she announced.

"I wish I had your energy," Hermione said with a laugh.

Saffron laughed and handed her aunt a picture. "This is for you," she said. It was a photo of her and Andrew at the ball back during the school year.

"I knew those robes would look fantastic on you," Lavender said grinning at the picture. "You looked amazing, Saffy!"

"Thanks Aunt Lav," Saffron blushed. "Isn't Andrew gorgeous?"

Lavender nodded. "I can't wait to meet him and make sure he's good enough for my Saffy."

Saffron blushed even harder. "He is."

"Harry even likes him," Hermione stroked her daughter's ponytail. "Andrew's already been over twice for dinner since summer hols started."

"You didn't cook for him, did you?" Lavender asked teasingly. "I wouldn't want you to run off Saffron's boyfriend..."

"No I wouldn't let her," Saffron said. "Dad made a casserole."

Lavender placed the photograph inside her bag. "Well, let's get down to business, Saffron. What I know about Gabriel is that he just graduated from high school and he is starting University in the fall. He's going to be pre-med."

"Wow," Saffron was impressed. "Pre med? He must be really smart."

"Seems to be," Lavender said wishing that she knew more about Seamus' son. She wanted to make a good impression. "And he's American, too, of course."

"Right," Saffron said as they waved goodbye to Hermione and left the house. "So what room are you going to put him in?"

"I wasn't sure. Which one do you think he'd like?" Lavender asked.

"Probably the one that faces east," Saffron said. "If he's pre med then he's probably used to being up early and will like all that morning light."

Lavender nodded. "That's a fantastic idea. I knew you'd be a big help."

Saffron grinned. "I try," she said. "I'm so glad you and Seamus will be here for two months."

Lavender put an arm around her. "Me too."

"I have a pretty good idea of what guys his age like to eat, if RJ and Andrew are any indication," Saffron said as they headed for some all night shops.

"Something tells me he wouldn't like the tofu and soy milk that I favour," Lavender said.

Saffron giggled. "I doubt it."

"Do you think he'll like me?" Lavender asked. "I mean, you always hear about stepparents being these evil creatures in those fairy tales and in movies. I don't want to be like that. I want him to like me."

"Aunt Lav of course he's going to like you," Saffron replied as they pushed a trolley through the aisles. "You're fantastic!"

Lavender beamed at her. "Thanks, Saffy. I needed to hear that."

"It'll probably just take time, you know?" Saffron helped her aunt in selecting some food she thought Gabriel would like. "Even with Seamus it probably won't be instantaneous."

"They have to get to know each other," Lavender agreed. "We all do."

"Well if he wants to come out with me, Andrew, RJ and Alexa he's welcome to," Saffron offered.

"He might feel like a fifth wheel," Lavender said. "But I'll certainly ask him."

"We'll try and not to be too kissy around him," Saffron giggled.

Nearly an hour later, Saffron helped Lavender lug the shopping bags inside the flat.

"What time does their flight arrive?" Saffron asked. "Are you picking them up at the airport?"

"Not until the morning," Lavender said. "And I'll arrange for a car to pick them up and bring them here."

"I can just floo back home unless you need me to help you with anything else," Saffron offered.

"I think I'll be okay," Lavender smiled. "Tell your mum and dad I'd like to have them over for a late breakfast so they can meet him all right?"

"Will do," Saffron promised giving her a hug. "I can't wait to meet him."

"I just hope it all works out," Lavender hugged her back. "You're such a sweet girl Saffy."

"Thanks, Aunt Lav," Saffron said before heading to the sitting room and the fireplace.

Lavender put away the groceries herself, not wanting to wake up the help that stayed in the flat when she and Seamus were in LA. She headed for the room that Saffron had mentioned and using her wand, had it ready in minutes for Gabriel's arrival.

Satisfied with how it had turned out, she made her way to her bedroom. She hoped that Seamus and Gabriel were doing okay on their flight.

105. Chapter 105

Authors’ note: Sorry for the late update! With Memorial Day being on Monday, it kind of threw both of us off! Sorry for the delay! In this chapter you get more of Jon/Allie and the girls plus Gabriel’s arrival in London. Enjoy!

Jon grinned at Allison as he came into the kitchen. They were enjoying a quiet evening in with their girls since Jon had the night off from the pub.

"How are my wife and son doing?" Jon asked beaming at her. He'd been like this ever since that morning when they'd found out the baby was a boy.

"Shhhh!" Allison said. "We don't want the girls to hear. I want to see their faces when we tell them."

"They're giggling too hard with Mia in there," Jon gave her a kiss. "Al..." he swung her around. "We're having a boy!"

Allison giggled. "Put me down!"

"I'm lifting you up while I still can," Jon laughed, kissing her again.

"That's not funny," Allison said hitting him in the arm.

"All right, I'm sorry." Jon grinned at her.

Allison smiled back at him. "You should have seen the look on your face when Lizzy told us it was going to be a boy."

"What did I look like?" Jon laughed. "Like this?" he dropped his jaw and widened his eyes.

"Just about," Allison giggled.

Jon kissed her again. "Al I'm so happy right now!"

Allison smiled. "So is your little boy. He's kicking me..."

"Let me feel," Jon put his hand on her stomach.

"Right here," Allison said moving his hand. "See?"

Jon laughed. "That's my little footballer!"

"Mummy!" Emma said running into the kitchen. "Em hungry!"

Allison scooped her up. "I was trying to finish making your snacks, but your Daddy was being silly."

"Daddy's funny," Emma giggled.

"Yes he is," Allison said kissing her on the forehead. "Are you having fun with Caroline and Mia?"

"Yes," Emma answered. "We play dress up!"

"Is that why you're wearing this gown that is way too big for you?" Jon asked his daughter.

Emma shook her head. "Just right. Not too big."

"That's right baby girl," Jon took her from Allison. "Would the beautiful princess dance with me?"

Emma nodded and looped her little arms around Jon's neck.

Jon kissed Emma's cheek then spun around the kitchen with her, dipping his daughter back so her curls touched the floor.

Allison smiled at them as she finished putting crisps in a bowl. "Come on you two. Let's go in the sitting room."

"Kay!" Emma squealed as Jon dipped her back again.

Allison led the way back into the sitting room. "Your daddy and I want to tell you girls something."

Caroline looked up from where she was playing with Mia's blonde hair. "What is it Mummy?"

"You remember how daddy and me went to see Aunt Lizzy today at the hospital?" Allison asked.

Caroline nodded and Emma, after looking at her sister, followed suit.

"We found out that the baby is doing very well," Allison continued. "And we also found out whether we were going to have a little boy or a little girl."

"You did?" Caroline exclaimed, accidentally pulling on Mia's hair.

"Ow! Caroline!" Mia squealed, but she was laughing.

"Sorry!" Caroline said her eyes shining.

"New sissy?" Emma asked patting her mother's stomach.

"Not a new sissy," Jon laughed. "You two girls are going to have a baby brother soon!"

"A baby brother?" Caroline squealed.

"That's right," Allison beamed at them.

"That's so cool, Daddy!" Caroline said giving her father a hug.

"I take it you girls are excited about that," Jon laughed as Caroline nearly bowled him over.

"That's great news, Mrs. Weasley," Mia said. "I bet your little boy will be way nicer than my cousins."

Allison laughed. "Thank you Mia."

"There's something else we wanted to run past you girls," Jon said. "You know that we don't have that much room in the house and we have to make do until we can afford a bigger place."

"What does that mean Daddy?" Caroline asked, sitting down with Mia again.

"Well," Jon began. "We wanted to know if you girls would mind sharing a room and letting us use Emma's room as the nursery."

"You mean Em would get to sleep with me every night?" Caroline asked. "She already does that!"

Allison laughed. "And we wasted all that money on the big girl bed for her too."

"Em sleep with sissy?" Emma asked.

"Would you like that?" Allison asked her. "To share a room with Caroline?"

"Yes!" Emma said excitedly. "Em share with sissy!"

Jon looked at Caroline. "You going to be okay with that, Angel?"

"Okay Daddy," Caroline smiled. "I don't mind."

"That's my girl," Jon said tickling her. "And you can help us set up the nursery."

"That sounds like fun," Mia told her friend.

"It does, doesn't it?" Caroline said grinning at her parents. "Daddy?"

"Sure it does Angel," Jon ruffled her hair.

"Were you this happy when you found out about me?" she asked him.

"Absolutely we were," Jon said.

Caroline beamed at him. "Even if I wasn't a boy?"

"I couldn't be more thrilled with the two girls I have," Jon said with a grin.

Emma giggled. "Em love Daddy."

"Daddy loves Em," Jon said, tickling her.

"Mum loves having them around while I'm working at the studio," Allison said fondly.

"Em dance," Emma told them all. "Watch!"

Mia giggled. "Your sister is so cute Caroline."

"I love watching her do this," Caroline said as Emma started to move.

"Get down with your bad self," Jon laughed. "Go on Em!"

"Come on, Mia," Caroline said. "Let's join her!"

"What?" Mia asked. "Caroline!"

"Come on!" Caroline said grabbing her hand. "Mummy, can we put on some music?"

"Of course we can," Allison said, turning on the Wireless.

"I thought Katie was going to join the sleepover?" Jon asked over the music.

"She got in trouble!" Caroline called back. "She tore up one of Ashley's paintings and her mummy wouldn't let her come!"

Jon shook his head. "Think they'll ever get along?" he asked his wife.

"Maybe when they're older," Allison replied. "I'm so glad Caroline and Emma are so close."

"Me too," Jon told her.

Allison rested her head on his shoulder. "This reminds me of those nights in our old flat. You remember when we'd sit on the sofa with the Wireless on and eating popcorn?"

"Do I ever," Jon laughed. "And sometimes Josh and Lizzy would come over too."

"I loved that old place," Allison said dreamily.

"I miss it too," Jon said. "But this is where we have our family."

"Yes it is," Allison agreed.

"You make me happy Al," Jon kissed the side of her head as their daughters and Mia danced in the middle of the room. "Happiest I've ever been."

"You do the same for me," Allison said relaxing against him. "You always have."

"We may not have as much money as everyone else but I think we do pretty damn good." Jon replied.

"We do," Allison said. "Look at how happy they are."

Jon laughed as both the older girls copied Emma's moves.

"So what are we going to do about names?" Allison asked. "We haven't really talked about it."

"Maybe we'll just let Caroline pick it out again," Jon teased.

"We have loads of time," Allison said.

"That we do," Jon agreed. "Another five months."

"Unless Junior here decides to make an early entrance," Allison grinned.

"Jon Jr..." he mused. "I like the sound of that..."

"J.J.," Allison said giggling.

"Daddy you can't call the baby J.J.," Caroline stopped dancing.

"Why not?" Jon asked her.

"Because that sounds dumb," Caroline put her hands on her hips.

"I don't think it sounds that bad," Jon said defensively.

"Em name baby," Emma said suddenly.

"Do you have a name picked out?" Allison asked.

"No," Emma shook her head.

"You want to think about it?" Allison asked. "And get back to us?"

"Kay," Emma agreed.

"I'll help her Mummy," Caroline said. "Emma and I will think of a good name."

"Caroline did come up with a winner for Emma," Jon said grinning at her.

Caroline grinned proudly. "They were calling her Baby Girl Weasley," she told Mia. "So I decided to name her Emma and Daddy agreed. And so did Mummy when she woke up!"

"Emma is a good name," Mia said nodding.

"Em good!" Emma said happily, digging into the bowl of crisps.

Allison laughed. "I was wondering how long it would take for you to notice those, Emma."

"Yummy," Emma declared.

"Can Daddy have some?" Jon asked.

"Yes!" Emma laughed as Jon hauled both her and the bowl into his lap.

"Come on Mummy," Caroline said. "Dance with us!"

"That's okay Angel," Allison said. "I think the little guy is already dancing enough for both of us."

"Is he moving?" Caroline asked excitedly.

"Yes he is," Allison said. "Want to come feel?"

Caroline nodded. "Where do I put my hand?"

"Right here," Allison said. "Mia if you'd like to see you can." she smiled at the young girl.

"Okay," Mia said standing beside her best friend.

"Wow!" Caroline exclaimed when she felt some movement under her hand. "This is soooo cool!"

"Em feel too!" Emma leaned over.

Allison laughed. "Okay, Em. Come here baby."

"Oooh," Emma's eyes grew wide.

"Can he hear us, Mummy?" Caroline asked.

"Not yet Angel," Allison said. "In a few more months he'll be able to."

"And he'll probably want us all to shut up," Jon joked.

"Daddy that's not nice," Emma scolded.

Jon held up his hands. "Sorry, Em. Daddy was being silly."

"Bad word," Emma wagged her finger as Allison covered her mouth to hide her grin.

"Daddy won't do it again, promise," Jon said.

"Kay," Emma said, holding out one of the crisps to him.

"Thank you, baby," Jon said reaching for it.

"Em feed Daddy!" she said.

Jon laughed and then opened his mouth.

"Yum," Emma said.

"Come on Mia," Caroline said. "Let's change into our other dresses."

"Em go too!" Emma said running after them.

"I have the perfect dress for you!" Caroline's voice carried into the sitting room.

Allison laughed. "I don't think they'll be going to sleep anytime soon."

"I doubt that," Jon said. "We'd best break out the popcorn soon."

"Mmmm," Allison said. "Popcorn. Do we have any chocolate syrup left?"

"Al," Jon wrinkled his nose.

"I ate it when I was pregnant with Caroline and Emma," Allison said. "And they turned out perfectly healthy, Jon..."

"But that's really gross..." Jon said.

"It's not that bad," Allison said. "And I'd be very grateful if you went and made some for me. Peas?"

"Just don't eat it in front of us," Jon replied.

"Your son is going to love it," Allison said smiling sweetly at him.

"But the rest of us don't," Jon grumbled, heading for the kitchen.

Allison stood up and followed him. "Jonathan..."

"Don't tell me you want strawberries with it too," Jon said.

"No," she said. "You don't have to fix it for me since it grosses you out so much. I can do it."

"I'll do it Al," Jon said. "I'm just giving you a hard time."

"Thank you," she grinned. "And I really do think you'd like it. Just be grateful I'm not like Chiaki was with the twins. She craved some strange, strange things."

"Yes she did," Jon shuddered. He leaned over and gave his wife a kiss. "You could never REALLY gross me out you know."

"And I've tried to hard to do just that," Allison said giggling.

Jon shook his head. "All right, regular popcorn and chocolate popcorn coming up." he said.

"Do we have any hot sauce?" Allison asked.

"I really hope we don't," Jon said.

"I was just kidding," she said laughing. "Hot sauce, popcorn and chocolate syrup would be disgusting."

"Yes it would," he nodded as they heard the girls' footsteps heading back into the sitting room.

"I'll go," Allison said. "Don't be long, we're hungry."

"I won't," Jon promised.

*** *** ***

Gabriel spent the majority of the flight to London sleeping. The night before visiting his father, he hadn't slept much since he was so nervous and apprehensive. And all the emotional drama of the past few hours had finally caught up to him.

Seamus managed to catch some shuteye too, but only off and on and spent most of his time going over script notes on his laptop computer.

The pilot's voice came over the loud speaker announcing that they would be landing soon.

Seamusshut downhis computer and stowed it in his bag. He looked at his son who was still sleeping peacefully.

"Gabriel?"

"Hmm...” Gabriel mumbled.

"We'll be landing soon," Seamus said grinning at him.

"We're there already?" Gabriel rubbed his eyes.

"Aye," Seamus said. "You slept most of the flight."

"Oh..." Gabriel sat up. "Sorry..."

"No need to apologise," Seamus reassured him. "I'm glad you were able to get some rest."

"Guess I kind of needed the sleep." he said. "I've got to use the bathroom."

"You'd better go now," Seamus told him.

"Right," Gabriel unbuckled himself and stumbled off towards the bathroom at the front of the plane.

"Your son looks just like you," an older woman across the aisle from Seamus said politely.

"You think so?" Seamus asked proudly.

"Oh yes," the woman said. "Practically the spitting image."

"He's just graduated from high school," Seamus said conversationally. "Top of his class."

"Well that's just lovely," the elderly British woman raved. "What's he planning on doing with his life?"

"He's going to be a doctor," Seamus said proudly. It occurred to him suddenly that he didn't have any idea what area of medicine Gabriel was going so specialise in.

"Enjoy them while you can," the woman said sagely. "They grow up way too fast. I know I don't have to tell you that."

Seamus nodded. "Thanks for the advice."

Gabriel came back and Seamus stood up so his son could sit down. He buckled his seatbelt and looked out the window.

"How much longer until we land?" Gabriel asked. "I can't see anything but clouds down there."

"Shouldn't be too much longer," Seamus said. "And I hate to break it to you, but you'll probably see nothing but clouds while you're here. And I hope you like rain..."

"So that tale about it always raining here is true?" Gabriel asked with a grin.

"Pretty much," Seamus said grinning back at him. "You'll get used to it, but I imagine you'll be missing the California sun."

"I never thought I'd get to come here," Gabriel said, still gazing out the window. "At least not until I made some money."

"Hopefully, this will be the first of many trips here for you," Seamus said. "And my mum is probably going to do everything in her power to make you stay."

"You'll have to tell me more about them," Gabriel said. He was feeling more amicable now that he'd gotten some sleep.

"My dad was a salesman for a hardware company in a small village just outside of Dublin," Seamus told him. "Until he retired and now he spends most of his time playing golf and going to the pub."

"What about your mother?" Gabriel asked.

"Mum taught school at one of the village schools for quite some time and she still does that every now and then," Seamus said. "And she spends most of her time rowing with Dad. Of course, he's scared to death of her because he knows she's---"

His voice trailed off as he realised he was about to tell Gabriel about how his father hadn't known Seamus' mother was a witch until after they'd married.

"He's scared of her?" Gabriel looked amused.

"Aye," Seamus said chuckling. "And she uses that to her advantage."

"My grandfather always tells me to let the women win," Gabriel laughed. "Or at least let them THINK they've won."

"Your grandfather is a smart man," Seamus said. "That's how Lavender and I have lasted as long as we have."

"Is she angry about me?" Gabriel ran his hands through his hair. "I mean, you said she'd understand right?"

"She's not angry," Seamus said. "And she is trying to understand. This is all new to her, Gabriel. We didn't really have that much time to talk about it before we left, but she's wonderful and I think you'll like her."

"It's weird to think I have a stepmother," Gabriel confessed.

"And a father," Seamus said putting his hand on Gabriel's arm. "We're your family, Gabriel."

The younger man nodded. "Think we can get something to eat when we land?" he asked.

"Lavender emailed me that she was going to have a big breakfast for us at the flat," Seamus said. "Think you can wait until we get home? We don't live that far from Heathrow."

"That's fine," Gabriel nodded.

Back at the flat, Lavender was running around in a panic trying to make sure everything was perfect. The cook had made waffles, eggs, sausage and French toast. "We should have fruit too, Templeton," Lavender said. "Do we have any citrus fruits? Strawberries? Blueberries? This has to be perfect. Absolutely perfect."

"Yes miss," he said walking over to the large icebox and pulling out the fruit he'd already sliced. "Perhaps you should go check on the table..."

"Okay," she said as the doorbell rang.

"They're early," Lavender said the colour draining from her face. She checked her reflection in the mirror before running toward the door. With a wide smile, she swung open the door. "Welcome! How was your----oh, it's just you guys."

"Nice to see you too," Harry said sarcastically. "You have that evil stepmother bit down, don't you?"

"Shut up Harry," Lavender said. "I'm nervous enough already okay?"

"Aunt Lav, he's going to love you!" Saffron said shrugging out of her jacket. "I can't wait to meet him."

"Thank you Saffy," Lavender said, hugging her. "And thank you for helping me out last night."

"Did you get everything set up okay?" Saffron asked.

"We're just setting out breakfast," Lavender told them.

"All kidding aside, how are you holding up?" Harry asked Lavender.

"Anything we can do to help?" Hermione asked.

"I'm okay," Lavender said. "Nervous, but okay."

"And let's all remember no talk of magic," Hermione said. "Gabriel doesn't know about that yet and it's not our place to say..."

"Be glad you didn't invite Aunt Cho," Saffron joked. "In fact, until Gabriel knows, I think you should keep him far, far away from her. Uncle Ron, too, for that matter."

"He'll have to find out eventually," Harry said. "You know that right?"

"Of course," Lavender said. "But that's going to be Seamus' decision when to tell him, Harry."

"Of course," Harry said,

Just downstairs, Seamus and Gabriel were entering the building. Gabriel looked open-mouthed at the ornate building.

"Welcome back, Mr. Finnigan," the doorman said politely. "Nice to see you again."

"Thank you Martin," Seamus nodded. "My wife's here right?"

"Yes sir," Martin said. "Your friends arrived just a few minutes ago as well."

"Friends?" Seamus asked. "Oh- Lav must have invited Harry and Hermione over."

Gabriel felt an overwhelming sense of unease. He didn't know Seamus' wife and now he had to meet more people.

"Harry, Hermione and Saffron some family members," Seamus explained to him. "Saffron's the one I was telling you about- right around your age."

"Oh," Gabriel said nodding. "Okay."

"Harry and Hermione are great too," Seamus said as they got into the lift. "Really nice people- wait until you see Harry and Lav get into it with each other. They're always bickering."

"Which button do we push?" Gabriel asked as he was standing closest to the panel.

"Top floor," Seamus replied.

Gabriel pushed the button for penthouse and leaned against the wall. "I worked as bellboy at the hotel mum used to waitress at a couple of summers back," Gabriel said. "I thought that place was nice, but this..."

"Like it?" Seamus asked.

It was a beautiful building and Gabriel could see why someone as famous as Seamus would live here, but for some reason, he felt sort of out of place here. Not wanting to hurt Seamus' feelings, he just nodded.

"If you'd like to rest up I'm sure everyone will understand." Seamus told him. "If not, perhaps later we can go look around the city."

"You don't have to do that Sir," Gabriel said. "I'm sure you have better things to do than help me sightsee. I can manage on my own."

"You don't have to call me sir," Seamus said. "And I want to spend time with you."

"There is something I've always wanted to see," Gabriel admitted.

"What's that?" Seamus asked with a grin.

"I've always heard about English soccer," Gabriel said. "I'd...I'd really like to see a match."

"You want to see a proper football match?" Seamus asked. "I'm sure I can get us some tickets."

"Really?" Gabriel asked as the lift pinged open. "I coached a kids' team at the local Y and I'd love to go back and tell them what I saw."

"Absolutely." Seamus said. "I'll get some for a few games."

"Thank you, Sir---I mean, Seamus," Gabriel said lifting the handle on his grandfather's old suitcase and wheeling it out of the lift.

"Well are you ready?" Seamus asked.

"I suppose so," Gabriel said apprehensively.

"It'll be all right," Seamus assured him.

Gabriel nodded and followed his father down the corridor. A huge set of wooden double doors greeted them and Gabriel took a deep breath when Seamus opened the door.

"Lav?" Seamus called. "Sweetheart we're here!"

Gabriel set his bag down beside the door and watched as Lavender and some people he didn't recognise followed her. The older man and woman smiled warmly at him and the younger girl looked as if she were sizing him up. He suddenly found the floor very, very interesting.

"How was your flight?" Lavender asked giving Seamus a kiss.

"Oh it was fine," Seamus replied. "Harry, Hermione and Saffron- I'd like you to meet my son Gabriel Boyd."

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Gabriel," Hermione said extending her hand to the young man.

Gabriel shook her hand and politely said hello.

"You weren't kidding, Aunt Lav," Saffron said. "He does look exactly like Seamus."

"He does," Lavender said smiling at the young boy. "Welcome to our home."

"Um, thank you," Gabriel said quietly.

"If you want to go lie down, we've set up the room just upstairs facing west." Lavender told him. "We'll have someone take your suitcase up."

"I can take it myself," Gabriel said hastily.

"Nonsense," Lavender told him. "That's what Templeton does."

"Its okay, Mrs. Finnigan," Gabriel said quietly. "I don't need anyone waiting on me."

"If he wants to take it let him take it," Seamus told his wife.

"Okay," Lavender relented. "We've got a big breakfast prepared if you're hungry."

"I'll help him take his suitcase up," Saffron offered.

"Thank you, Saffy," Seamus said giving her a hug. "That okay with you, Gabriel?"

"Sure," Gabriel replied, grasping his suitcase.

"It's just this way," Saffron said motioning for him to follow her. "I'm Saffron, by the way, but everyone calls me Saffy."

"Okay," he said. "You can call me Gabe if you want to."

Saffron smiled at him. "You just graduated, right? I have another two years left to go."

"Yeah from high school," he smiled at her. "I'm going into medicine at college this fall."

"I thought about going into medicine," Saffron said conversationally. She decided not to mention her professional Quidditch ambitions. "But I haven't made up my mind yet."

"Seamus told me you're top of your class too," Gabriel said looking around the room. "Hey this is really nice. I can't believe they went to all this trouble for me."

"Aunt Lavender did it all last night," Saffron said. "With my help."

"She did?" Gabriel asked.

"She did," Saffron said smiling at him. "You have your own bathroom right through there."

"Wow," Gabriel tried not to show how impressed he was but failed miserably.

"So you like?" Saffron asked him.

"Yeah," Gabriel said with a smile. "I like it very much."

"Great," Saffron grinned at him. "Do you want a couple of minutes to freshen up or are you ready to go back downstairs?"

"I'm pretty hungry," Gabriel said. "But this is all just so nerve-wracking, you know?" for some reason he felt like he could confide in the pretty brunette. "I mean, a day ago I hadn't even met my father and now he's taken me to England."

"Feels like your world's been turned upside down overnight, right?" Saffron asked him.

"You can say that again," he agreed.

"Well, if you need someone to talk to, I'm here," Saffron said. "And you're more than welcome to hang out with me and my friends."

"Thanks," Gabriel said genuinely. "I'll probably take you up on both of those."

"Great," Saffron said. "Now, let's go get something to eat. I'm starving too."

"Okay," Gabriel agreed, feeling a little apprehensive again.

Downstairs in the dining room, Lavender scowled at Harry. "Don't sit there!"

"Why?" Harry looked flabbergasted.

"Because that's not where you sit," Lavender said rolling her eyes. "Honestly, Harry! Seamus sits there and I sit across from him and then you and Hermione there...and Saffy beside Gabriel."

"I didn't realise there were seating arrangements," Harry exchanged an amused glance with Hermione.

"Of course you don't, Mister I-Still-Drink-Juice-Out-Of-the-Carton," Lavender said shoving him toward the other chair.

"You're so refined," Harry smirked at her.

"Saffron's puppy is more refined than you," Lavender said. She looked appraisingly at the table. "Oh God! What if he would rather have something simple like cereal and toast! Templeton!"

"Lav calm down," Seamus said. "This is fine all right?"

"Templeton!" Lavender called out. "Bring every cereal we have!"

"What's with the shouting?" Saffron asked as she and Gabriel came into the dining room.

"Er... nothing," Lavender said sheepishly. "Gabriel, is this okay or did you want cereal- or toast, or did you want oatmeal or--"

"This is fine, Mrs. Finnigan really," Gabriel interjected. "Thank you."

"You can call me Lavender," she told the young man. "Or Lav... it's totally up to you." she smiled at him.

"Okay," Gabriel said feeling very uncomfortable. This woman was completely different from his mother. He wondered what she would have thought of all this.

Seamus reached over and squeezed his wife's hand. "How about some juice Gabriel?" he asked.

"Um sure," Gabriel said. "Thanks."

"We've got orange and apple," Seamus told him. "Or if you'd like a Bloody Mary I'm sure we could make an exception," he teased.

"Can I have a Bloody Mary?" Saffron asked eagerly.

"You most certainly may not," Hermione said. "You can have a sip of mine but that's it."

"Orange juice is fine," Gabriel said. He smiled as his father poured him a glass. "My mum used to drink it with---"

"With what?" Saffron asked.

Gabriel shook his head. "It's not important."

"Tell us," Saffron urged.

"Orange juice and milk," Seamus said smiling at his son. "Sam used to like orange juice and milk together."

Gabriel looked over at him in surprise. "You remember that?"

"Milk?" Saffron wrinkled her nose.

"Course I do," Seamus said. "It used to gross me out almost as much as Lav's sushi does."

"I can't believe you remembered that," Gabriel said.

"Kind of hard to forget," Seamus helped himself to some eggs.

"That sounds disgusting," Lavender said wrinkling up her nose much like Saffron had.

"It was my mum's favourite drink," Gabriel said quietly.

"I-I didn't mean---" Lavender said hastily. "I just---"

"Is this your first time abroad, Gabe?" Harry asked.

"Yeah," Gabriel answered, taking a bite of toast. "We didn't really have the money to travel much- if it wasn't for my mum and for my scholarship, I wouldn't even be going to college this fall."

"You don't have to worry about money now," Lavender told him. "Seamus and I would be happy to---"

"I can pay for school myself," Gabriel interrupted.

"I'm sure you could, but you don't have to do that now," Lavender said warmly. "We can pay for your room and board and you don't have to worry about getting a crummy job or anything like that."

Gabriel shrugged. "We'll see..." he said noncommittally.

"What area of medicine do you want to specialise in?" Hermione asked.

"Paediatrics," Gabriel replied.

"Wow," Harry was impressed. "That's quite the field to be in- you must be really good with children."

"Yes, sir," Gabriel said. "I was telling Seamus that I coach a kids' soccer team back home. And when my mom was in the hospital, I spent some time in the cancer ward with the kids."

"That's wonderful," Hermione said warmly.

"Gabriel's grandmother let me borrow a couple of photo albums," Seamus said trying to include his wife in the conversation. "And his baby book."

"I'd like to see them if that's all right with you," Lavender looked at Gabriel.

"I don't mind," Gabriel said.

"Okay," Lavender chanced a smile at him. She so wanted Seamus' son to like her.

"When do you start filming?" Harry asked his friend. "Straight away?"

"In a few days," Seamus said. "Tomorrow I've got to meet with my cast and crew for a read through of the script."

Gabriel listened as his father told everyone the details on his movie. He felt Lavender watching him and he shifted uncomfortably in his seat.

"While Seamus is filming I can take you around the city," Lavender offered. "We'll do whatever you want."

"That's okay," Gabriel said. "Really."

"Lex and I can show him around," Saffron said helpfully.

"But I want to do it," Lavender said.

Hermione put a hand on her daughter's arm and shook her head the tiniest bit.

"Lavender's a great tour guide," Seamus told his son. "If you keep her away from the shops."

"I live to shop," Lavender smiled.

"Okay," Gabriel said. "If she doesn't mind..."

"I don't mind at all," Lavender said happily. "You just let me know when you want to go and I'll clear my schedule."

"I thought I'd show Gabriel around later this afternoon after he's had a chance to settle in," Seamus said. "Take a drive around the city."

"That sounds like fun," Lavender nodded. "Perhaps we can take him by the Tower of London and the Eye."

"Would you like that, son?" Seamus asked.

"Sure," Gabriel said. "That sounds like fun."

"This will be fantastic," Lavender said eagerly. "A family tour of London. We'll have to be careful to avoid the paparazzi though."

"Do you get hounded all the time?" Gabriel asked his father.

"More in LA than here, but yes," Seamus replied.

"And we don't want them finding out about Gabriel," Lavender said without thinking.

"Why not?" Saffron asked.

"Seamus having an illegitimate son would be bad press," Lavender said. "And I don't imagine Gabriel wants to have his photos splashed on the front page."

"I do want to acknowledge Gabriel," Seamus said. "But you've got a point Lav."

"I'm not saying we don't want to acknowledge him," Lavender said. "I'm just worried about what the tabloids would say." she looked at Harry and Hermione who nodded in agreement. "Gabriel- they can be very vicious sometimes."

Gabriel pushed back in his seat. "I'm---I'm kind of tired. Would it be okay if I went upstairs to take a nap?"

"Of course," Seamus nodded.

"Thank you," Gabriel said setting his napkin down in the chair. "It was nice meeting all of you."

With that, he hastily left the room. For the longest time, no one spoke.

"I made a bloody fool of myself," Lavender buried her face in her hands. "I can tell that he can't stand me."

"That's not true," Hermione reassured her.

"I'm overreacting to him," Lavender shook her head. "Going overboard already."

"He doesn't hate you, Aunt Lav," Saffron said. "He's just going through a tough time."

"Give him some space, Lavender," Seamus said softly. "It's not all going to happen in one day."

"I know," Lavender had tears in her eyes. "But I just want us all to be happy."

Seamus reached for her hand. "We will be. It's just going to take some time. Sam died only three months ago, Lavender. "

Lavender nodded. "Okay," she said. "I'll try harder not to be so overbearing."

"Thank you for doing all of this," Seamus said smiling at her.

"You're welcome," she said, wiping her eyes. "If he's important to you then he's important to me."

Seamus beamed at her.

"He seems like a nice young man," Hermione said. "So polite..."

"Yeah he's pretty cool," Saffron agreed. "He liked the room by the way."

"Really?" Lavender asked, buoyed by this.

"He was really impressed that he's got his own bathroom," Saffron giggled.

"He'd have to have his own bathroom," Harry said. "Could you imagine sharing with Lav?"

"I'm not that bad," Lavender said defensively.

She looked to her cousin for support, but Hermione suddenly became very interested in the waffles on her plate.

"I don't think you're that bad," Saffron said loyally.

"That's my girl," Lavender said smiling at her.

"Harry?" Seamus asked a serious expression on his face. "Would it be okay if I had a quick word?"

"Course," Harry said, getting up.

Seamus led him into his study. "How do you do it?" he asked Harry point-blank.

"What do you mean?" Harry asked.

"Being a father," Seamus replied running a hand through his hair. "I have no idea what I'm doing."

Harry smiled. "It's not as hard as you think, most of the time."

"He's still so angry and hurt," Seamus said. "And proud. He doesn't want me to help him; he doesn't want me to pay for anything..."

"Just give him time," Harry assured his friend. "Give him space, and just let him know you're here for him, when he wants to talk. He'll come around."

"I missed so much," Seamus said. "Years that I'll never get back; that he'll never get back."

"I know," Harry clapped his shoulder. "But at least you found out now- you've got loads of time to make up for now that you're in each others' lives."

"And what if he hates me after he finds out about me being a wizard?" Seamus asked. "He spent all his life not knowing who his father was and I don't like lying to him now."

"Then you need to tell him about it as soon as possible," Harry advised. "You won't be able to hide it once Ron and Cho meet him."

"Right," Seamus said nodding. "You know how my dad didn't know about my mum until after they were married? He was so angry that she hadn't told him the truth. I don't want him to hate me, Harry."

"He won't hate you Seamus," Harry reassured him.

"Thanks, Harry," Seamus said.

"And you know we'll be here if you need any help at all," Harry told him.

"I appreciate that," Seamus said clapping him on the back. "I'm going to need a bunch of help."

"Saffy will probably have him out so much you won't remember he's around," Harry teased.

"I'm glad that they hit it off," Seamus said. "It'll be nice for him to have someone to talk to."

"Me too," Harry said.

"Thanks," Seamus said. "Come on...let's go finish breakfast."

"Sure," Harry agreed. "Where'd Saffy go?" he asked when they returned to the dining room.

"To ring Andrew," Hermione said. "They're going over to see RJ's new place later this afternoon."

"What's this Andrew like?" Seamus asked with a grin. "Harry's baby girl dating..."

"Shut it you," Harry said glaring at him. "He's a good kid. Andrew Kirke's son."

"I remember him," Seamus nodded.

"And he's going to play professional for Wimbourne," Harry said. "Starting out as a reserve, but the coach has big plans for him."

"That's great," Lavender said. "The picture Saffy gave us of the two of them at the ball is sweet."

"You'll get the chance to meet him in Brighton," Hermione told her.

"Good," Lavender grinned. "I've got to give him the protective godmother speech."

Seamus and Harry laughed and the adults continued their conversation oblivious to the fact that Gabriel stood just outside the door listening in. He hadn't been able to sleep and he'd thought about coming back to apologise when he'd heard them chatting. About things and people he didn't know.

"What are you doing?" Saffron asked softly behind him.

Gabriel jumped. "Um... I couldn't really sleep so I was about to go back in there," he lied.

"Looks to me like you were eavesdropping," Saffron said raising an eyebrow at him.

Gabriel shrugged and gave her a sheepish smile.

She giggled. "It's okay. I'm a champion eavesdropper. You know when your parents tell you that you should step out of the room so they can talk? That's just a challenge to me."

Gabriel chuckled. "Sounds like I could learn a few tricks from you."

Saffron grinned. "I'd be happy to teach you my devious ways..."

"They're talking about some guy named Andrew in there," Gabriel motioned with his head.

"They're not saying anything bad, are they?" Saffron asked inching closer so she could hear.

"No," Gabriel told her. "They're saying he's really nice- why?"

"He's my boyfriend," Saffron whispered.

"Oh," Gabriel grinned.

When the adults' conversation returned to something mundane, Saffron turned back around. "So, you get weirded out before?"

"Yeah a little," he said. "Shows doesn't it?"

"You're an easy person to read," Saffron said quietly. "They're just trying to look out for you."

"I guess," he said. "Before I left my Gran told me I shouldn't be so hard on him."

"You miss your mum, don't you?" Saffron asked. "Stupid question."

"Yeah," Gabriel said. "She had cancer- really bad."

"What was she like?" Saffron asked curiously.

"She was always really soft spoken," Gabriel told her. "And she always was there when I needed her for anything. I know a lot of guys don't really get along with their mothers but I did."

Saffron smiled. "I wish I could have met her."

"My dad told me that she was the only woman aside from your aunt that he cared about," Gabriel said. "So I guess that means something."

"You know you just referred to Uncle Seamus as your dad," Saffron said grinning at him. "I think that's huge."

"Yeah," Gabriel smiled back. "He's not so bad, really."

"I like to think I'm a pretty good judge of character and I like him," Saffron told him. "And I have a good feeling about you, too."

"Thanks I think," Gabriel grinned sardonically at her.

Saffron hit him on the arm. "You have a nice smile. You should show it more."

"I'll try," he said. "I promise."

"I'll hold you to that," Saffron said. "And I know you're going to busy this afternoon, but how would you feel about going to the movies with me and my friend Lex on Friday night?"

"Okay," Gabriel agreed. "Will your boyfriend be okay with that?"

Saffron nodded. "He's fine with it. He's going to be out of town anyway. Come on, you'll love Lexie. What else do you have to do?"

"Nothing I guess," Gabriel said. "Count me in."

"Great," Saffron said happily. "I'll ring you later on this week with the details."

"Sounds good," Gabriel stuffed his hands in his pockets. "Think they'll be mad if I go back in there now?"

Saffron shook her head. "Come on. I'll go with."

"Gabe," Seamus smiled. "Not as tired as you thought?"

"Not really," Gabriel replied sitting back down. He helped himself to some waffles, even though he figured they'd be cold by now. To his surprise, they were quite warm. Maybe their cook had put out a new serving while he'd been out of the room, he thought.

"We're glad you decided to come back in and join us," Lavender said softly.

"These are really good," Gabriel said after he swallowed his bite.

"Glad you like them," Seamus said. "You can have them every morning if you want. But when company's not here, Lav likes to try and get us to eat cottage cheese and tofu in the mornings."

"That's not true!" Lavender said swatting him on the arm. "Gabriel can have anything he wants."

"You always try to make ME eat that," Seamus laughed.

"That's because you're OLD and you need to watch your diet," Lavender reminded him.

"I am not old," Seamus replied. "And if I'm old so are you."

"Moving on," Lavender said breezily.

Gabriel caught Saffron's eye and laughed silently.

"Declan and Rose called earlier and I told them you had big news," Lavender told Seamus. "But don't worry, I didn't tell them what."

"My parents," Seamus explained to Gabriel.

"Thanks," Seamus said. "We'll head up there this weekend."

"You'll love them," Lavender told Gabriel. "They're fantastic."

"I'm looking forward to meeting them," Gabriel said honestly.

"Is it all right if Gabriel comes to the movies with me and Lex on Friday though?" Saffron asked.

"I don't see why not," Seamus said. "I thought we'd leave on Saturday."

"Cool," Gabriel said with a real grin.

"So," Lavender said to her stepson. "You have a girlfriend back home, Gabriel?"

"No," Gabriel said. "Well not anymore. I had one and we broke up right before graduation."

"I imagine you'll turn quite a few heads while you're here," Lavender said smiling at him. "You are just as handsome as your father."

"Thanks," Gabriel turned red.

"And I'm so glad you'll all be joining us in Brighton," Hermione said. "You'll really like it there, Gabriel."

"I've heard it's nice," Gabriel said politely. "Do you all stay in one house?"

"Oh yes," Saffron grinned. "It's so much fun."

"We go each summer with some family friends," Hermione told him. "The house is full of children, grandchildren..."

"Must be a huge house," Gabriel commented.

"It's just big enough," Lavender said hastily.

"And I'll join you on weekends and nights," Seamus said. "I'd put off the filming if I could, Gabe."

"I understand," Gabriel nodded.

"You don't want to see him on set," Lavender said grinning at her husband. "He's a tyrant."

"I get things done," Seamus corrected as he laughed. "I run a tight ship."

"He's scary," Lavender said.

"No scarier than you are when a strand of hair is out of place," Harry teased her.

"Need I remind you that you slipped down to number two on the list of sexiest wiz...?” Lavender started to say.

"Only because my son in law took over my spot," Harry retorted.

Gabriel stared curiously at them.

Harry grinned sheepishly. "Lav and I always fight," he covered quickly. "It's second nature for us."

"It's like breathing," Lavender said feeling foolish for almost letting their secret slip out.

"Right," Seamus said, thinking he would have to tell Gabriel about magic sooner rather than later.

The rest of the meal went by pretty quickly. Harry and Hermione left with Saffron, who promised to ring Gabriel later in the week.

"Well if you'd like to get freshened up, you have your own loo," Seamus said. "Lav said she stocked you up with everything you should need, but if there's something missing you want, let us know."

"Okay," Gabriel said. "Thank you."

"Guess I'll leave you to it then," Seamus was reluctant to leave- he wanted to spend as much time with Gabriel as he could but at the same time he didn't want to overload the young man.

"Mr. Finnigan?" Gabriel asked turning around. "I mean, Seamus...it meant a lot to me that you remembered that about my mom."

"About the juice?" Seamus asked with a grin.

Gabriel nodded. "Yeah."

"It was definitely interesting the first time I saw her with it," Seamus laughed. "But it didn't taste half bad."

"You drank it?" Gabriel asked in amazement.

"A few times," Seamus replied.

"Now I know you must have cared about her," Gabriel said laughing.

"At least she didn't eat sushi," Seamus joked. "Lav knows better than to eat it in front of me."

"Right," Gabriel said the smile on his face faltering a bit. "Um, I'm just going to go up to my room then."

"Sure," Seamus nodded. "Listen, I do want to talk to you about some things, so you just find me when you want to talk. I'll be around the rest of today- tomorrow's when I start pre production."

Gabriel nodded and went off to his room.

Seamus went into the room he shared with his wife. "Breakfast went pretty well," he said as he stretched out on their king size bed.

"I'm sorry for almost letting it slip," Lavender said. "I wasn't thinking..."

"I'm going to tell him later," Seamus told her.

"He's already been through so much, are you sure that now's the right time?" Lavender asked.

"What if we slip up again?" he asked. "I mean, I think him finding out accidentally and realising we kept it from him might make things worse."

"How do you think he'll take it?" Lavender asked sitting down on the edge of the bed.

"I'm not sure," he confessed, patting the spot next to him.

Lavender moved closer to him. "How was the flight? Did you get to talk? Get to know each other?"

"Yeah a bit," Seamus nodded, putting his arm around her. "He fell asleep a little way in though."

"He hates me," Lavender said leaning against him.

"He does not," Seamus kissed the side of her head.

"I'm the complete opposite of his mother, aren't I?" Lavender asked. "He probably thinks I'm shallow, vain and mean."

"You and Sam are different," Seamus said. "But you have some of the same qualities- you're both caring, both beautiful. This is a big change for him Lav."

"And me too," Lavender said honestly. "I feel so selfish because I want him to like me, but I can't help thinking what all of this means for me. I'm used to being the most important person in your life."

"Your place in my life will never change," Seamus assured her. "It'll just be a little tighter squeeze." he grinned.

Lavender turned and kissed him. "I think I'll just hang around here while you take him on that drive. When you tell him, I think it'd be best if it was just the two of you."

"Are you sure?" he asked.

Lavender nodded. "I think it would be best."

"All right," he kissed her again. "But I'd like us all to go out for dinner this evening together."

"If he's still speaking to us," Lavender said. "I think that'd be lovely."

"Good," Seamus said. "Now lie down and let your husband show you just how much he loves you."

106. 106!!

A/N: This chapter is a break from Gabriel, but you do get the Hogwarts crew and then some E/M along with F/W. Hope you enjoy, and please let us know what you think!

PS- also guys, we want to make sure you all realise that nothing romantic is going to happen between Saffron and Gabriel! They’re cousins- in a way!

We’re sorry this update is so late- but with portkey moving servers we were not able to update this last night! But here you go now :) and new update will still be on Tues!

Later that afternoon Saffron went over to help RJ set up his new flat. "And he's from California," she told Alexa about Gabriel. "Muggle, but really nice and he's cute too."

"Hello, isn't he like your cousin?" RJ asked her as he came into the room carrying a box.

Saffron shrugged. "I can still think he's cute."

"I think it's nice you invited him to come to the movies with us," Alexa said.

"What's this?" RJ asked setting the box down.

"Saffy and I were going to go to the movies Friday night since you're going to be out of town with the team," Alexa said. "I told you about that."

"Jealous?" Saffron teased him.

"Hardly," RJ scoffed. "I just wish I'd been told that you're going to the movies with another bloke."

"What's this?" Andrew came into the room and dropped a box on the floor.

"Our girlfriends have big plans with some American bloke," RJ told him.

"He's my cousin!" Saffron said rolling her eyes.

"By marriage," RJ pointed out.

"You are so ridiculous sometimes," Saffron told him.

"I have to agree with Saf on that one," Andrew said. "Ease up, RJ. She already told me about it."

Saffron beamed at him. "I love how you're not jealous."

Andrew tickled her. "Besides, RJ is the one who needs the lecture. Big party with Puddlemere..."

"Yeah," Saffron giggled, sharing a look with Alexa. "He's the one who has a roving eye."

"I do not have a roving eye," RJ said defensively. "Maybe I used to but not since I got my Lexie here."

"You'd better not or I'll castrate you myself," Saffron told him.

"Saffy!" Alexa laughed.

"It's just a party," RJ said. "Just something the veterans on the team do to welcome us rookies. Lexie doesn't have anything to worry about and there will be no need to castrate me, Saf."

"Just bring us to the next one," Saffron grinned at him.

"Deal," RJ promised. He looked around the flat. "So what do you guys think? Isn't this place great?"

"It's pretty cool mate," Andrew said. "I'm jealous. I'm still living at home for the time being."

"You could move in here with me," RJ said. "There's certainly more than enough room."

"I can't afford the rent," Andrew began.

"Bollocks," RJ scoffed. "Come on, mate."

"You should," Saffron encouraged. "Come on Andrew..."

"Okay," Andrew said with a grin. "Looks like you just got yourself a flatmate."

"Yay," Saffron hugged her boyfriend. "It'll be easier for us to meet!"

RJ laughed. "Because it really is all about YOU, Saffy."

"Shut up RJ," Saffron shot back.

"I may take back my offer if she's going to be around," RJ retorted.

Alexa grinned at Andrew. "That's going to be 10 galleons, please."

RJ and Saffron looked curiously at them.

"What's this then?" RJ asked.

"We made a friendly bet," Andrew explained reaching into his trousers pocket for his wallet. "About how long it would take for you two to start a fight."

"We aren't fighting," Saffron said. "Not yet at least."

"So I don't get the money?" Alexa asked frowning.

"You made a bet on me?" Saffron gave Andrew a pouty look.

"Just a little one," Andrew said hastily. "And I had you going much later in the day."

RJ laughed at the look on his girlfriend's face. "You a sore loser baby?" he teased.

"No," Alexa said wrapping her arms around his waist. "You're all sweaty..."

"I thought you liked me that way," he joked, giving her a kiss.

"I do," Alexa said smiling up at him.

"Those two lovebirds," Saffron said from where she and Andrew were pawing through a box of pictures. "They're so cute."

"So are we," Andrew said grinning at her.

"Yeah," Saffron gave him a big grin. "We're the cutest I think."

Andrew took out some of the photographs. "RJ, you take these? These are fantastic."

"Thanks," RJ said. "You know if I wasn't doing Quidditch I'd probably take up photography full time. My grandfather wanted me to intern at the Quibbler but I can't now that I'm signed on to Puddlemere."

"You could always do it during the off-season," Saffron said thoughtfully. "These really are some great shots, RJ."

"Maybe," RJ said offhandedly.

"What kind of party lasts all weekend anyway?" Saffron asked. "Sounds to me like just an excuse to get pissed and behave like Neanderthals."

"It's a welcome party Saf," Andrew explained. "If I ever get off the reserve team for Wimbourne, they'll have one for me."

"Like I said just an excuse to get pissed and behave like Neanderthals," Saffron said rolling her eyes. "You know Puddlemere is the only team in the league without a female on it."

"But you'll change that won't you," Alexa grinned at her best friend,.

"Damn straight," Saffron agreed.

"If you want, early on next year I'll drop your name," RJ offered. "And convince them to come see you play at school like they did for me."

"Really?" Saffron asked. "You'd really do that?"

"Sure," RJ grinned at her.

"Thank you," Saffron said grinning at him.

"The way she plays, I'm not so sure you'll have to drop her name," Alexa said. "She's fantastic and I'm not just saying that because she's my best friend."

"You guys are making my ego swell," Saffron joked.

"We'd better stop then," RJ said. "This place has a low ceiling."

"Your ego's bigger than mine," Saffron said hitting him on the arm.

"Says you," RJ said, grabbing her arms and holding them behind her back. "Come on Andrew- tickle her while I've got her trapped.

Andrew grinned mischievously. "She can't do magic outside of school, so she can't hex us..."

"Don't you dare!" she squealed.

Andrew tickled her sides and she giggled. "Stop guys! Let me go!"

"This has been a long time coming," RJ teased her.

"Let me go, RJ!" Saffron squealed.

"No way," RJ said. "Come on Andrew get her!"

"I'll never kiss you again, if you---" Saffron started to say, but Andrew cut her off by tickling her sides yet again.

Alexa grabbed a throw pillow from the sofa and hit RJ upside the head with it.

"Hey!" he said. "You're not supposed to do that!"

"We girls have to stick together," Alexa said sweetly, hitting him again.

"Lex hit Andrew!" Saffron was trying valiantly to pull away from RJ.

Alexa did just that. "Come on, guys!"

"You so are not getting snogged for the rest of the day," Saffron told Andrew, only half serious.

"You enjoyed it," Andrew said dodging Alexa who was trying to hit him again. RJ grabbed her by the waist.

"Oh, no you don't!" he said laughing.

"Don't YOU dare!" Alexa exclaimed.

"I just did," RJ said spinning her around.

Saffron shoved Andrew down on the sofa. "You are going to pay for that!"

"I'm really scared Saf," Andrew gave her a devilish grin.

"You should be," Saffron said tickling his side, but he didn't flinch.

"I'm not ticklish," he reminder her.

"Bother," she said. "I just won't kiss you anymore today then."

"You'd never be able to do it," he said grinning up at her.

"Oh you think?" Saffron raised an eyebrow.

"I know," Andrew said cheekily. "I'm irresistible."

"Please," Saffron scoffed. "I can go longer than you can."

"This from the girl who jumped me right out on the street," Andrew said with a laugh.

"Your point being?" Saffron wasn't smiling.

"You think you can hold out?" Andrew asked her.

"More than you can," Saffron was serious.

"You're on," Andrew said sitting up. "First one who caves..."

"Buys dinner," Saffron stuck her hand out.

Andrew shook it and then inched closer to her as if he was going to kiss her. "Deal," he whispered.

"I'm making you take me to the most expensive restaurant in London," Saffron said, curving her fingers around his nape as she licked her lower lip.

"You're getting awfully close," Andrew said trying to stay in control.

"Can't handle it already?" she asked in a low voice.

"N-no," Andrew stammered. "Course not."

"Right," Saffron smiled before backing away.

"That's a stupid bet you two," RJ said. "You can't snog each other. Sounds like torture."

"Mind your own business RJ," Saffron said in a sweet voice.

"Okay, Paprika," RJ said in an equally sweet voice.

"Cassandra," she shot back before flouncing into the kitchen with Alexa.

"You going to be able to hold out?" Alexa asked her friend.

"More than he can," Saffron said as they went into the icebox for something to drink.

"Juice or soda, Saf?" Alexa asked her.

"Soda's good right about now," Saffron said. "I'm so thirsty."

Alexa handed her a can and took out one for herself as well. "This place is really big, isn't it? And already furnished, too....some woman from the team apparently knows a designer who came in here and did all this."

"I think it's great," Saffron agreed. "We are going to have so much fun on holiday now that we have someplace like this we can come to."

"I know," Alexa agreed. "And I think we'll have fun on Friday night, just the two of us. We haven't done anything by ourselves in quite some time. Well, we won't be entirely alone..."

"You'll like Gabe," Saffron assured her. "He's really nice and I feel bad for him- he's had a lot to get over in the past few days."

"I look forward to meeting him," Alexa said.

"Maybe we'll set him up with someone while he's here," Saffron giggled. "And all of us can go on one big date."

"You and your matchmaking," Alexa said giggling.

"It worked for you didn't it?" Saffron laughed.

"Yes it did," Alexa said nodding. "Very well. So well, in fact that I---well, that I---"

"That you what?" Saffron asked.

"When we go to Brighton," Alexa whispered. "RJ and I are going to....we're going to....Merlin, Saffy! I can't even say it..."

Saffron's eyes widened and she gaped at her friend. "You and RJ are planning on sleeping together?" she asked in a hushed voice.

Alexa blushed and then gave a slight nod.

"Oh my gosh," Saffron said. "Lex that's so... so... grown up!"

"I'm still a little scared," Alexa admitted. "Okay, I'm a lot scared."

"Does RJ know that?" Saffron asked.

Alexa shook her head. "He's done this before and I've never...what if I do it wrong? What if he thinks I'm horrible? Part of me thinks it would be better if we wait..."

"You'll do it when you're ready," Saffron assured her. "And I know RJ's a pain, but he'd want you to be comfortable Lex. He loves you so much the last thing he wants to do is pressure you."

"But I kind of already said I would," Alexa said.

Saffron gave her a look. "You don't actually think he'll be angry if you decide you're not ready do you?"

"Maybe," Alexa said. "When I told him I wanted to, at that moment, I thought I did. Now, I'm not so sure. It's such a big thing, Saffy."

"Well I hope you don't feel like you have to because of Christina," Saffron said.

Alexa vehemently shook her head. "No, it's not that. I love him, I do. I just don't think I'm ready for that step yet."

"Just be truthful with him then," Saffron said. "He's not going to be angry Lex."

Alexa hugged her friend. "You're the only one I could talk to about this. My mum would have freaked out if she knew I was even thinking about it."

"I'm here for you anytime," Saffron said. "You're my best friend in the world."

"And you're mine," Alexa said. "So, how about you and Andrew...you guys thinking about..."

"Not yet," Saffron said. "It was a big enough step for me to realise that I'm in love with him. I don't think I'm ready to sleep with him right now though."

"Sometimes I wish we could go back to being 11 when we didn't even think things like these," Alexa said leaning against the counter. "Life was so much more simple."

"Tell me about it," Saffron said. "But having boyfriends has been a lot of fun too. Has it's ups and downs of course, but for the most part I've enjoyed the perks." she grinned.

"Perks, eh?" Alexa teased.

"Oh the snogging is definitely high up," Saffron said. "But I love it when he touches me too."

"So when you going to put him out of his misery and snog him?" Alexa asked.

"Once he kisses me first," Saffron said pertly. "I'm not losing this wager."

"My money's on him caving before you," Alexa said giggling.

Saffron grinned. "And he'll be treating me to dinner."

"At the poshest restaurant in London," Alexa said grinning back at her.

"I thought you two were going to help me move in not sit in my kitchen nattering," RJ said coming into the kitchen.

"We needed something to drink," Saffron told him.

"You could have brought something out to Andrew and me," RJ said walking over to the icebox. "By the way, he ran out to go and tell his parents he's moving in here. He'll be back in a bit."

"Gives me more time to plan my method of attack," Saffron rubbed her hands together, making RJ and Alexa laugh.

"You're going to torment him, aren't you?" RJ asked her. "Until he gives in..."

"I'm not telling you a thing," Saffron said. "You'll just go tell him."

"Would I do that?" RJ asked innocently.

"Yes," both girls said.

"For what it's worth he's going to give in before you do," RJ said. "We're guys..."

Saffron grinned at him.

RJ laughed and went over to the icebox to get himself a drink.

"I'm actually going to go and ring my parents and let them know I'll be home later," Saffron said looking at Alexa. She mouthed the words "Tell him" before exiting the kitchen.

RJ shook his head once Saffron had gone. "What would your parents say if they knew we were all alone?" he joked.

Alexa laughed. "I'm not sure."

"I guess as long as we stay out of the bedroom we'd be okay?" he grinned at her.

Alexa nodded. "Um, RJ, speaking of the bedroom..."

"Yeah?" he asked, digging through the cupboard for something to eat.

Alexa leaned back against the counter trying to get her words straight. "Well, remember how I said when we went to Brighton..."

"What about it?" he looked over at her.

"I've had some time to think about it and I don't think I'm ready," Alexa said biting her bottom lip.

RJ looked at her properly for a moment. "Ready for what we talked about you mean? About us sleeping together?"

She nodded, unable to look at him.

"Lexie," he sat down next to her at the table. "If you're not ready--"

"I thought I was," she said meeting his gaze. "I really did, RJ."

"It's okay," he assured her. "It really is. I want to be with you when you're ready."

"You're not mad?" Alexa asked.

"Of course I'm not mad you silly girl," he looked at her like she'd gone crazy.

Alexa hugged him. "You are the best."

"I love you," RJ said. "I want to make you happy Lexie."

"You do," Alexa said softly. "I love you so much."

"If I ever make you feel like I'm pressuring you I want you to tell me," RJ tucked a loose curl behind her ear.

"Okay," Alexa said smiling at him.

"So what do you think of this place, really." RJ said.

"It's amazing," Alexa said looking around. "My mum would love this kitchen."

"Sad thing is, I don't think I'll be around that much," RJ said. "I’ll be so busy with the team..."

"How often will you be away?" Alexa asked.

"Not so much at first while we practise but once the season starts, who knows," RJ said.

"You'll be living out of a suitcase then?" Alexa asked.

"Just sometimes," he grinned at her.

"You should take your camera and take pictures of all the places you'll be going," Alexa said.

"I will," RJ promised.

Saffron had just hung up the phone when she heard a loud pop behind her. "Andrew," she said sweetly. "Want to give me a kiss hello?"

"No," Andrew replied.

"Not even a peck on the cheek?" Saffron asked.

"Nice try," he grinned at her.

"All right then," Saffron stretched in a catlike way, arching her back. "Suit yourself."

Andrew purposely averted his eyes. She was playing him like a violin. "So where do you think we should put these?" he asked holding up the frames they'd been looking at earlier.

"I'm not quite sure," Saffron said lazily. "Goodness, I don't know why I wore this jumper. It's really very warm today..."

"Maybe...maybe you should get some water," Andrew said weakly. "Cool off..."

"Nah," Saffron said, pulling her jumper off to reveal her tight fitting camisole. "This is much better already."

"Uh-huh," Andrew said watching her for a few moments before returning his attention to the contents of the box before him.

Saffron kneeled next to him and pulled her hair up, fanning the back of her neck.

Andrew turned to look at her. "What...what are you doing?"

"Helping you," Saffron gave him her most innocent look as she let her long hair drop.

"Do you have to do it right here?" he asked her. "I've pretty much got this covered, Saf."

"The box is full," she pointed out.

"So it is," Andrew said sheepishly. He shuddered as she leaned in and brushed something from his shoulder.

"Lint," she said, leaning in a bit further.

"I really hate lint," Andrew said trying to remain strong, but with her this close, it was very, very difficult.

"It's a good thing I got it off you then," she smiled slowly, widening her eyes just the tiniest bit.

He didn't even realise it, but his hand was resting on her thigh. "Saffy..."

"Yes?" she asked.

"You're driving me crazy," he said huskily.

"I know," she said softly.

"What time should I pick you up?" he asked.

"For what?"

"Dinner," he answered before crushing his lips to hers.

Saffron giggled as she wound her arms around his neck, kissing him back just as passionately.

"You're good," he said in between kisses.

"You're the best," she answered breathlessly.

"I'm weak," he said laughing. "Where you're concerned."

"I like that in a guy," she said, kissing him again. "And I love that quality in you..."

"I'm going to miss you this weekend," he said softly touching her cheek. "But when I get back, we'll go and have the most expensive dinner on the planet."

"Doesn't really have to be the most expensive," Saffron replied. "I don't care where we go as long as I'm with you."

"We'll go somewhere nice," he promised.

"I'm just so glad I can go on real dates with you now that I'm 16," she said, resting her head on his shoulder. "You know my dad thinks you're great."

"He's pretty cool," Andrew said. "And I think he knows, I'd never want to hurt his little girl."

Saffron giggled. "No chance of that," she agreed. "You make me too happy."

"So I guess you'll be over here a lot this summer," Andrew said grinning down at her.

"As much as possible," Saffron said. "And I can't wait for you to come to Brighton with us."

"And we can go out on the boat," Andrew said playing with the strap of her camisole top.

"All alone," she said, her eyes darkening.

"All alone," he echoed giving her another kiss.

"I love you Andrew," she murmured, pressing her lips to his.

"I love you too, Saffy," he said, not upset in the slightest that he had lost the bet.

*** *** ***

Ethan, Maddie, Will and Frankie had managed to get a night off together and decided to have dinner out and then hit up a few clubs. Currently, they were at Frankie's favourite club Empress and were tucked into a corner table, talking and laughing.

"One more round!" Frankie told the waitress enthusiastically. "And make them strong!"

"I'm not so sure I should have any more," Maddie protested.

"Oh come on," Frankie told her best friend. "You don't have to work tomorrow!"

"I know but I don't want to wake up praying to the porcelain gods tomorrow either," Maddie said.

"I'll make you a potion if you need it," Ethan told her.

Maddie groaned as the waitress set another glass of wine in front of her. "You lot are a bad influence on me."

"I know I am," Ethan grinned at her.

"It's useless to argue with Frankie, she always gets her way," Will said slipping his arm around his wife.

"See he's learned quite well," Frankie gave Will a kiss. "Ethan you'll be the same way."

"He already is," Maddie teased.

"She's got me whipped," Ethan admitted.

Frankie opened her mouth to make a smart remark when she saw her ex-best friend Alicia making her way toward them.

"Franks!" Alicia exclaimed taking the empty seat across from her. "It's been way too long!"

"Excuse me?" Frankie raised an eyebrow.

Alicia tossed back her hair and laughed. "I had about given you up for dead and when I saw you come in, I had to come over! How have you been?"

Frankie exchanged a look with her husband who shrugged. "What do you want?"

"To catch up with my bestest friend in the entire world, of course," Alicia replied as if the answer was obvious. "And her handsome husband, of course. Hello, William."

"Alicia," Will nodded as Ethan smirked at the blonde woman and pulled Maddie closer to him.

Alicia smiled sweetly at Frankie. "Where did you get that dress? It is gorgeous!"

"Alicia you haven't talked to me in months," Frankie told her flatly. "What the hell do you want?"

Her smile faltered somewhat, but she just laughed dismissively. "Franks, I told you. We have been through far too much to let one little row break up our friendship. And I cannot bear to deal with that wannabe Gretchen anymore."

Maddie looked at Frankie. "Want to go dance?" she asked, knowing her best friend was about to blow her top.

"That sounds like a lovely idea, Madeline," Alicia said. "Let's go show them how it's done, Franks!"

Maddie gave Alicia a frosty look. "She doesn't want to talk to you Alicia. Why don't you leave Frankie alone?"

"Because she's my best friend," Alicia said. She looked across the table at Frankie. "Come on, Frankie. You're my oldest and dearest friend and I've missed you. I know I treated you horribly and if I could do something to change that, I would."

"Alicia I think you'd better leave before I do something you'll regret," Frankie said.

"Frankie," Alicia pleaded. "If we could just talk you and me..."

"I have nothing to say to you," Frankie said angrily. "Alicia get out of my face."

"You don't want to be my friend anymore, fine," Alicia said. "But if you could just do me this one favour..."

"I knew it," Will muttered to Ethan.

"Which is?" Frankie asked glaring at her.

"Well," Alicia smiled placatingly. "I heard you know Seamus Finnigan, the world famous director. And he's filming a movie right here in London!"

Frankie rolled her eyes. "And?"

"I heard he's looking for extras," Alicia said in a sugary voice. "But you see- I'm quite the accomplished actress."

"If you count faking orgasms," Frankie said sarcastically.

Ethan, Maddie and Will snorted back their laughter.

"I am really trying to break in to the business and you know as well as I do that it's not what you know, but who you know," Alicia continued, ignoring Frankie's last comment.

"Alicia, go away," Will told her.

"William, I didn't ask you, I asked Franks," Alicia said glaring at him.

"Same thing," Frankie said. "Alicia, go away."

"Ethan," Alicia said turning her attention to the dark-haired man. "I've always thought you and I got along quite well. And you know Seamus, right? You could talk to him about me..."

Maddie put her hand around Ethan's arm. "Let's go dance," she told him.

"Sounds great," Ethan said. "Nice to see you as always, Alicia."

Maddie dragged her fiancé away. "I can't believe her," she said.

"Nothing she's ever done has surprised me," Ethan said. "I'm just proud of Frankie for not falling for it."

"She's really a great person," Maddie replied as Ethan curved his arms around her. "I mean, she's truly become the best friend I've ever had."

"Who ever would have thought that?" Ethan said pulling her closer.

She giggled and wrapped her arms around his neck. "I feel bad we can't go to Brighton," she changed the subject. "But at the same time, it's because of our honeymoon..."

"That's right and right now that's more important," Ethan agreed.

"Quite," Maddie agreed. "Merlin I am so excited about the wedding!"

Ethan laughed. "Me too. I can't believe it's nearly here."

"Just a few months away," Maddie shook her hair back.

"I have a feeling that you are going to be well worth the wait," Ethan said softly.

She laughed. "I love you so much for waiting," she told him as he steered her over to a darker corner. "It really means so much to me."

"It certainly hasn't been easy," Ethan said.

"I know," she said, stroking the hair at his nape. "You've been more than patient with me."

"Maddie Molly," Ethan said leaning in to kiss her.

"Mmm..." she said, closing her eyes as he opened her mouth under his.

Ethan's arms snaked around her waist as he deepened the kiss. This reminded him of the last time they'd tried this at a club. Hopefully, there wouldn't be any intrusions or interruptions.

Maddie settled herself on his lap as Ethan pulled them onto a sofa. The amount of wine she'd consumed that night had left her feeling pleasantly buzzed but not completely out of control.

"Now who's being the bad influence?" he asked her.

"Me," she said with a grin.

"And I'm reaping the benefits," Ethan said huskily.

Maddie smiled down at him as he ran his hands up and down her back. "Kiss me," she said as she leaned in. "Touch me Ethan."

He kissed the hollow of her neck and Maddie gasped as his lips tickled her throat.

"Yes," she said huskily. "That's exactly what I want you to do."

Ethan's hand slid under her jumper. "Still okay?"

"Mmmhmm..." she said. "You know that..."

He cupped her breast and again marvelled at how warm and soft her skin was against his hand.

Maddie closed her eyes and leaned against Ethan, her hands buried in his hair.

"I love you," he whispered. "So much."

"I love you," she whimpered as he slid his other hand into the waistband of her knickers.

"Still okay?" he asked.

"Yes," she said. "We've done this before Ethan... you make me feel so good..."

His fingers slid inside her and he kissed her to muffle her cries.

"You know... exactly... what to do..." Maddie said breathlessly.

"Do I?" he asked grinning at her.

"Always," Maddie told him.

"It helps when I have a willing subject," Ethan said softly.

"That's always me," Maddie kissed him again.

Out of the corner of his eye, Ethan could see another couple sitting down on the other edge of the sofa. Reluctantly, he pulled away from his fiancée. "I wish we were getting married tonight," he said grinning at her.

"So do I," she agreed wistfully as they got up.

Frankie looked up when she saw her friends returning to the table. One look at Maddie's swollen lips and rosy cheeks and she knew what they had been up to.

"Madeline Molly Weasley," she said grinning at her.

"What?" Maddie asked, blushing guiltily.

"I always knew there was a tart in you just dying to get out," Frankie said giggling.

"Frankie!"

"I did," Frankie said. "And I am almost always right."

Ethan grinned. "She doesn't kiss and tell."

"She does to me," Frankie sing-songed. "Best friend, remember?"

Maddie giggled and sat down. "You finally got rid of Alicia?"

Will laughed. "Yes, but not before she tried to stage a dramatic reading in front of us. I wish you'd seen it!"

Ethan rolled his eyes. "Glad we missed it."

"She really has some nerve," Frankie said shaking her head. "I wouldn't help her across the street let alone introduce her to Seamus."

"You've outgrown her," Will told his wife.

"And how," Frankie agreed. "I was never as bad as her, was I?"

"No way," Will said.

"Not even close," Maddie reassured her. "You care about other people, whereas Alicia only cares about herself."

"Thanks, Maddie," Frankie said smiling at her.

"To Frankie," Ethan grinned at her, holding up his glass. "May she be deeper than the puddles outside from the rain." he teased.

Will and Maddie laughed and held their glasses up as well. "Here! Here!"

"Thanks Ethan," Frankie said sarcastically.

"To Frankie Barron, my beautiful wife who is the most vivacious, sweet, loving and caring woman I know," Will said. "And may she never have wrinkles, grey hair, or----what else, was it sweetheart?"

"A sagging bosom," Frankie finished.

"Right," Will said clinking his glass against hers. "I have got to remember that one."

"You wouldn't like it," Frankie kissed her husband.

"I would love you even with grey hair, wrinkles and a saggy bosom," Will told her.

"Well thank you," she laughed.

"She wanted to put that in our vows," Will told Maddie and Ethan.

"Hmmm..." Maddie looked at Ethan. "Wonder if I should make you swear to love me when I'm ugly."

"You could never be ugly," Ethan told her.

Maddie kissed him. "I love you."

"I love you," Ethan said putting his arm around her.

"So Mads," Frankie said. "Did I tell you I picked up my dress yesterday?"

"You did?" Maddie asked eagerly.

"And it looks fantastic," Frankie grinned.

"You should see Caroline, Emma and Mia in their dresses," Maddie said. "They're so cute."

"They love the flower crowns," Frankie replied.

"And Mary was really touched that you wanted to have Tim Junior as ring bearer," Will said.

"I'm really glad she doesn't mind," Maddie said, sipping her wine. "He's the perfect age."

"It was either him or Blue," Ethan said. "And I'm thinking Tim Junior will do better than Blue."

"Blue?" Frankie asked. "The pixie?"

Ethan nodded. "Since we had a shortage of little boys in the families, Mads came up with the idea to use Blue."

"Madeline!" Frankie laughed. "You can't be serious."

"Why not?" Maddie asked. "He is part of our family and I think he should be a part of the wedding."

"He's a pixie," Ethan told her. "Staying with your parents while we're on the honeymoon."

"He could be an usher," Maddie said thoughtfully.

Ethan gave Will and Frankie a panicked glance.

"Or he could serve champagne at the reception," Maddie said trying to keep a straight face.

"Madeline don't start," Ethan said.

"Lighten up, Ethan," Maddie said laughing. "I was only teasing. Besides, Blue doesn't like being around crowds. It would scare him."

"He's still shy of me," Ethan grumbled.

"He's warming up to you," Maddie said squeezing his arm. "He sat on your knee this afternoon and he felt really bad about tearing your trousers, Ethan."

Frankie laughed. "I think Ethan felt worse."

"Why don't you keep him in his cage?" Will asked.

"He likes to be free," Maddie explained. "Normally when I'm home he'll sit on my shoulder while I do things around the flat."

"You should see this thing, mate," Ethan told Will. "He can pout just like Mads and it's spooky watching him in that cage, just pouting at you..."

Will nearly choked on his pint he was laughing so hard. "What are you teaching this little pixie?" he asked Maddie.

"He's the sweetest pixie," Maddie said. "You should see him when he thinks I'm sad, he'll just sit on my shoulder and play with my hair and try to make me feel better."

"That is rather sweet," Frankie said.

"Watch out Will," Ethan said. "Or Frankie will want one, too."

"That would be like having a kid," Frankie replied. "No thanks."

"I thought you guys wanted kids," Maddie said. "I know not now, but down the road..."

"Eventually," Frankie said.

"I cannot wait to be a mum," Maddie said dreamily. "With a house full of kids."

"Uh oh," Ethan pulled back hard on his beer. "What does that mean for me?"

"You'll need a really big house," Will said grinning at him.

"Let's focus on the wedding first," Ethan nuzzled his fiancée’s neck. "And the honeymoon..."

"The honeymoon," Frankie said dreamily. "You two are going to come back so tan and relaxed. I'm going to be so jealous."

Will looked at his wife. "Like we did when we came back from Hawaii? Although I must say, I wasn't very relaxed." he grinned wickedly.

"You had a good time," Frankie said nudging him. "Let's just leave it at that."

"Yeah don't scar me for life," Ethan said in a smartass tone.

"You had enough scarring with your mum and dad," Frankie teased.

"Don't remind me," Ethan said as he signalled for another round.

"I think it's great that they're still like that after being married for so long," Maddie said. "And so sweet."

"You wouldn't be saying that if it was your parents," Ethan said sarcastically.

"Mine are sort of like that," Maddie replied mildly. "Just not as demonstrative."

"No one's parents are THAT demonstrative," Frankie said laughing.

"Can we talk about something else?" Ethan asked. "Because I'm sure I could always get Alicia to come back over here."

"Anything but that," Frankie said cringing. "The actress...."

"She's good at acting fake," Will rolled his eyes.

"She couldn't act her way out of a paper bag," Frankie scoffed. "I cannot believe I was ever friends with that hag."

"I can't either," Ethan agreed dryly.

"And then she wants me to do her a favour after all the things she said and did to me," Frankie said. "Ha! Fat chance!"

"She's completely delusional," Will and Ethan shared an amused look.

"I almost want to tell Seamus about her and watch him fall all over himself laughing at her 'acting' abilities," Frankie said chuckling.

Maddie shook her head. "Let's talk about something else."

"All right," Ethan agreed. "Speaking of Seamus- can you lot believe that about him having a son?"

Frankie nearly choked on her drink. "W-what?"

"You hadn't heard?" Ethan asked. "I thought your mum had told you."

"I don't even think my Mum knows," Frankie said. "Because if she had, she would have told EVERYONE."

"He's got a son," Maddie explained. "His name is Gabriel and he's 17. His mother was a woman Seamus was with while he was broken up with Lavender."

"How scandalous!" Frankie exclaimed.

"Apparently she died," Ethan said. "And Gabriel went and introduced himself to Seamus."

"Whoa," Frankie said taken aback. "That took some guts."

Will shook his head. "And he had no idea that the kid was around?"

"No," Maddie replied. "Of course not. But he's brought Gabriel to England to spend the summer with him."

"Wow," Frankie shook her head.

"We've not met him yet, but Saffy says he seems like a nice bloke," Ethan said.

"She's invited him to go out to the movies with her and Alexa," Maddie smiled.

"And he and Aunt Lav are going to Brighton with the family too," Ethan reported. "Wish we could tag along this time."

"No, you'll be too busy with the wedding plans," Frankie said. "Maybe we'll meet this Gabriel during the wedding. You planning on inviting him?"

"Of course," Maddie said.

"Not too much longer now," Frankie said grinning at them. "Before you are Mr. and Mrs. Ethan Potter."

Ethan and Maddie grinned goofily at each other.

"To the wedding," Frankie said raising her glass again.

"The wedding," Ethan gave his fiancée a kiss.

"To no more drama," Will said.

"To no more Alicia," Frankie grumbled.

"I kind of thought she fell under the 'no drama' thing," Will said laughing.

"It follows her wherever she goes," Frankie rolled her eyes.

"It seems to follow us too," Ethan said.

"Will's right," Maddie said. "No more drama."

"Not possible, but a good thought," Ethan said clinking his glass with hers.

"Come on baby," Will said to his wife. "It's our turn to cut up the floor."

"You want to dance?" Frankie asked in surprise.

Will leaned over and whispered something in her ear, making Frankie blush and tug on his arm, nearly yanking him away from the table.

"Any guesses what he said to her?" Maddie asked Ethan.

"Something incredibly obscene?" Ethan said with a grin.

"Probably," Maddie winked at him.

107. 107!!

A/N: Yay the chapter’s on time tonight! LOL- you get to see Gabe’s reaction to magic, and LOTS of H/Hr- with some flashbacks thrown in!!! Please review and let us know what you think!

Lavender had just settled down on the sofa with a blanket and a new fashion magazine when she heard the front door open and then slam. Looking up, she saw Gabriel stalk past her and down the hall. “How was your---“ She started to ask, but the young man had slammed his bedroom door.

She got up and knocked on the door. "Gabriel?" she called out.

There was no answer so she knocked again.

"Let him be," Seamus said behind her.

"What happened?" Lavender asked her husband.

Seamus sighed. "Well, we drove around and I pointed out some of the sights. Then, we got out to take a walk and that's when I told him..."

Lavender put her hand on his arm. "He took it that badly?"

"You could say that," Seamus said dryly. "He thought I was making it all up."

"Oh no," Lavender bit her lower lip.

Seamus nodded. "He thinks I made it all up so he'd want to go back home and I'd never have to see him again. And he said...he said that I didn't need to go to the trouble of making up stories, I could just tell him and he'd go."

"But we don't want him to leave," Lavender protested.

"This was a crazy idea, wasn't it?" Seamus asked her. "Me thinking that this would work? I'm a terrible father and I've only been on the job for two days."

"Seamus you've only KNOWN you were a father for two days," Lavender said. "You told me that first day when we were at breakfast that this all wasn't just going to happen."

"I shouldn't have told him," Seamus said shaking his head. "We were having a good time, Lav."

Lavender hugged him. "But the longer you withheld it, the more angry he would be."

Seamus hugged her back. "I know---"

Gabriel's bedroom door opened. "I-I need to use your phone so I can call my grandparents and let them know I'm coming home."

"Wait," Lavender said. "Gabriel can I talk to you for a few moments before you ring your grandparents?"

"I've talked enough," Gabriel said angrily. "I just want to use the phone and go home."

"You haven't talked to me yet," Lavender replied. "And I'd like a word."

Gabriel folded his arms. "You've got what you wanted. I'm going home. There's nothing more that needs to be said. And don't worry, I won't be going to the newspapers if that's what your so afraid of."

"Gabe---" Seamus argued.

"We don't want you to leave," Lavender insisted.

"Right," Gabriel scoffed. "Fine, if you won't let me use the phone, I'll just take my stuff to the airport and call from there."

"You don't know your way around London, son," Seamus said quietly.

"Don't call me son," Gabriel snapped.

"You are my son," Seamus said. "Please, just talk to us and I'll try and make you understand what's really going on. What I told you earlier is the truth, Gabriel. I told you because I didn't want there to be any more secrets between us."

"Please," Lavender said. "Just hear us out Gabriel..."

Gabriel sighed and gave a slight nod.

"Will you come and sit down?" Seamus asked. "We'd be a lot more comfortable..."

"Fine," Gabriel said, crossing his arms over his chest.

Seamus and Lavender exchanged a look as they followed Gabriel into the sitting room.

"I understand that magic isn't something you expected us to know," Seamus began.

Gabriel rolled his eyes. "Not this again..."

Lavender pressed her lips together to mask her impatience. "Would you have been angry if we'd never told you about this?" she asked point blank. "If we'd kept it a secret from you and you found out about it years down the road?"

"I'm angry because you're lying to me!" Gabriel retorted. "There's no such thing as magic except for those crappy magicians who try to saw ladies in half and make rabbits appear out of hats. I think you could have come up with something a little more believable than this! "

"What sort of proof do you want then?" Seamus asked.

"I don't want proof; I just want to go home!" Gabriel exclaimed getting to his feet. Lavender, stood up too, but with a loud pop, she disappeared. A second later, she reappeared behind Gabriel and tapped him on the shoulder.

"How's that for proof?" she asked him.

"HOW DID YOU DO THAT?" he shouted.

"Magic," Lavender replied sweetly.

Seamus withdrew his wand and pointed it at Lavender's discarded magazine. With a swish and a flick, he said, "Wingardium Leviosa!"

Gabriel's eyes grew as big as saucers as he watched the magazine levitate above the sofa.

"This..." he sat down with a thump. "You weren't lying?"

Lavender nodded and grabbed at her magazine. "Don't mess that up, love. I haven't finished reading it."

"Right," Seamus set it back down in the same way he'd lifted it up.

"I-I don't know what to say," Gabriel said quietly. "This is just too....too...."

"I'm not going to lie to you," Seamus said. "I'll tell you anything about myself you want to know. Magic is a big part of my life- and so are you."

"Did my mother know?" Gabriel asked.

"Yes," Seamus answered. "I don't think she ever told your grandparents though."

"If you can do that stuff, can I do it too?" Gabriel asked.

"I don't think you can, otherwise you'd have been sent away to a special school to learn about it," Lavender said.

Gabriel nodded. "And those people that were here the other day...they can do it too?"

"Yes," Seamus nodded.

"What other kinds of things can you do?" Gabriel asked them.

"Well," Seamus said. "We can brew potions to cure loads of things..."

"There are spells to accomplish just about anything," Lavender told him.

"Can you bring my mother back?" Gabriel asked quietly.

Seamus froze for a moment. "We can't bring people back from the dead," he said. "I'm sorry."

"I wish she was here so I could talk to her about this," Gabriel said absently playing with the fringe on a throw pillow.

Lavender gazed at her husband, at a loss for words.

"I'm sorry," Gabriel said looking at Lavender. "You get that look on your face every time I bring her up."

"This is hard on Lav too," Seamus said, squeezing his wife's hand.

"I'm not resentful of the time Seamus shared with your mother," Lavender said truthfully. "It's just hard knowing that someone else has given him a child when I haven't."

"I should have just stayed away," Gabriel said. "We'd all have been happier."

"No," Seamus shook his head. "I'm glad you came forward Gabriel. You're my son and I want you around."

"You don't even know me," Gabriel said shaking his head. "I spent the past 17 years without you and I've turned out okay. You and Mrs. Finnigan don't need me. Okay? I'm just going to go home and forget that this happened."

"Then why did you come looking for Seamus?" Lavender asked.

Gabriel, who had been in the process of walking out, turned around and stared at her. "I don't know. I just---I wanted to see what he was like and why he didn't stay with my mom."

"And you agreed to come to England so you could get to know him better," Lavender continued.

"That was a mistake," Gabriel said.

"Why?" Seamus rose. "Why was it a mistake?"

"I know you didn't know about me, but I can't help being angry at you and I know it's unfair and it's selfish, but it's how I feel," Gabriel replied, his voice choking up. "And I'm mad at my mom for keeping all of this from me and that's the worst thing of all."

Seamus reached for his son and was glad when Gabriel didn't pull away. "It's okay to be angry," he said. "Your mum would understand."

"Right after she told me, I ran out of the room," Gabriel said as the tears fell down his cheeks. "And I wasn't there----I wasn't there when she...."

Lavender nearly felt her heart break in two at the stricken look on the young man's face. "She knows you loved her," she said gently.

"She died thinking I was angry at her," Gabriel said in anguish. "I can't ever get that back!"

"That same thing happened to me," Lavender said quietly. "The day my parents died, I'd had a huge row with them over not being able to go out that night with my friends. They left for dinner and never came back."

Gabriel looked at her. "Seamus said they died in a car crash?"

"They did," Lavender nodded. "They were hit by a drunk driver."

"I'm sorry," Gabriel said sincerely.

Lavender smiled slightly at him as they sat down. "I was so angry at them for leaving me," she said. "And I was angry at myself for not apologising. Had I known it was the last time I would see them, I'd have never acted like that." she rubbed her hands together. "But the thing is- we don't know that. No one can foresee things like death. And I believe that my parents know how sorry I was and that I loved them."

"Really?" Gabriel asked looking at Lavender as if he was seeing her for the first time.

"Absolutely," Lavender said. "It took me a long time to deal with how I was feeling after it happened. I was lucky that I had my aunt and uncle to take me in- just like you're lucky to have your grandparents and now Seamus."

"And you," Gabriel said giving her a slight smile.

Lavender's eyes flooded with tears. "I know I can't replace your mother," she said. "But I'd like to be here for you."

Gabriel stood up and gave her a hug. "Thank you, Mrs.--I mean, Lavender."

Lavender held him to her for a moment. "You're welcome Gabriel," she whispered, wiping at her eyes.

"I'm sorry too, Seamus," Gabriel said turning to his father. "I need to remember that I'm not the only one dealing with this."

"Quite all right," Seamus said. "This is all a lot to take in. But I think we'll get through it, don't you?"

Gabriel nodded. "It's late. I should probably get to bed."

"Not going home?" Seamus smiled.

Gabriel shook his head. "I think I'll stick around if that's okay with you..." His words trailed off as he looked at his father. "Dad."

Seamus couldn't stop his grin. "You're welcome here with us always."

Gabriel smiled back. "Good night."

"Night," Lavender said softly.

"He called me Dad," Seamus said to his wife when they were alone. "Did you hear that?"

"I did," Lavender hugged him. "I think we finally made a big breakthrough."

"Thanks to you," Seamus said holding her close. "Lav, I was so proud of you tonight."

"You were?" she asked.

He kissed her. "You got through to him."

"So did you," Lavender pointed out.

"Couldn't have done it without you," Seamus said.

"That's because I'm your better half," she teased.

"In more ways than one," Seamus said caressing her cheek.

"Take me to bed," Lavender closed her eyes.

"That I can do," Seamus said picking her up.

*** *** ***

"Oh Harry," Hermione's breath caught in her throat. "This place looks so different now!"

"Well it's been awhile," Harry chuckled. "I can't believe we had four of us in here at one point. It's really made for two or three people at most."

"But it was our first home," Hermione said as he closed the door of the cottage behind them. "And now it's ours again- at least until we give it to Ethan and Maddie."

"That's right," Harry said grinning at her. He took her hand and led her into the kitchen. "You'll never believe what's still here."

He opened the pantry door and pointed to the markings on the door where they'd measured the children’s' heights.

Hermione laughed. "I can't believe they were that short at one point."

"I'm so glad that the previous tenants didn't paint over this," Harry said leaning against the door.

"Me too," Hermione touched the carvings with her finger. "We have so many memories here."

***

Five-year old Julie stood up as straight as she could against the doorframe. "I know I'm bigger than I was last time, Mummy."

"We measured two weeks ago, baby," Hermione said sharing an amused look with Harry as she stood up.

"But I'm bigger," Julie insisted. "Look!" she held her little fingers apart.

Hermione picked up a pencil from the counter and walked over to her daughter. "Okay, let's see then."

Julie stuck her chin out and resisted the urge to raise herself up on her tip toes.

Hermione smiled as she made a marking just above her daughter's head. "Jules, you are bigger..."

"Wow," Julie said. "Mummy someday I might be taller than Uncle Ron!"

Hermione gave her a hug. "You're well on your way, baby."

"Daddy look how tall I am now!" Julie exclaimed proudly.

Harry set aside the newspaper and walked over to his daughter. "Jules! You're growing up way too fast!"

"That's because I'm a big girl," Julie giggled as Harry swooped her up.

"No matter how big you get, you'll always be Daddy's little girl," Harry said swinging her around.

"Okay," Julie agreed. "Can I have ice cream?"

"For breakfast?" Harry asked her.

"You can't have ice cream for breakfast you silly girl," Hermione tickled her daughter. "But you can have some after lunch."

"But ice cream is made from milk," Julie argued. "And I can have milk for breakfast, so why can't I have ice cream?"

Harry started to laugh. "She's got you there."

"She's way too much like me," Hermione said shaking her head.

"So can I?" Julie asked eagerly.

"You can have some of your sugar cereal you like so much," Hermione reached for the box. "But you cannot have ice cream for breakfast."

"Mummy, that's totally arbitrary," Julie said sticking out her bottom lip.

"Where did you learn such a big word?" Harry asked her.

"From the book in Mummy's library," Julie told him.

"The big one?" Harry asked taken aback. "Julie, that book is bigger than you are. You're reading it?"

Hermione shook her head. "I thought someone was moving my marker around." she was amused.

"It's very interesting," Julie said thoughtfully. "Even if it doesn't have pictures."

Harry shook his head. "You amaze me," he said.

"And you laughed when I would read to her when I was pregnant," Hermione said to Harry. "I told you she could hear."

"I think I did," Julie said as she began to eat her cereal. "And guess what- sometimes when I read to Josh Weasley he acts like he can understand me!"

"She reads to the twins?" Harry asked Hermione. "They're barely a year old."

"Jon doesn't like it," Julie continued. "But Josh watches me read Daddy."

"You're such a smart girl," Harry said grinning at her. "And you get that from your Mum."

"I know," Julie said happily. "I want to be smart like Mummy someday."

"You already are," Harry said tweaking her nose.

***

"She got such a kick out of being measured," Hermione remembered fondly. "And I still have that big book she used to read through."

"She was reading Shakespeare by nine, wasn't she?" Harry asked.

"Eight," Hermione corrected.

Harry shook his head. "I still can't understand half what that bloke writes about." he complained.

"It's in English," Hermione said rolling her eyes. "And it's very poetic. It's better than that rubbish you read. And Saffron and Julie love his work."

"I read Quidditch magazines," Harry said. "And at least I know what a Wronski Feint is," he teased his wife.

"Big deal," Hermione scoffed. "In the grand scheme on things, what difference does that make?"

"It makes the difference when you know what plays your daughter is using once she makes it onto the Quidditch team," Harry said.

"Fair point," Hermione said.

Harry laughed as he looked at the stove. "I remember when you nearly burned this place down."

"The kitchen was never in any real danger," Hermione said defensively.

"No?" Harry asked. "Half the wall was blackened."

"You are remembering that wrong," Hermione said. "What happened was..."

***

Ethan stared in awe at his mother as he played with his toy soldiers in his high chair. Julie and Harry were outside in the backyard and Hermione wanted to surprise them with a home cooked meal. She wanted to show them that she could cook something besides lasagne. Besides, how hard could it be? You just followed the instructions and measured the ingredients. It was like potions making and she was great at that.

"Mama," Ethan babbled.

Hermione smiled at him. "What do you think we should make, Ethan? Casserole or spaghetti?"

"Mmmm..." Ethan grinned toothlessly at her.

She opened up the cookbook and held it out to him. "You like this one?" she asked showing him the picture of a chicken casserole. She flipped the page again to the other recipe. "Or this one? This is the spaghetti."

"Mmmm..." Ethan's eyes widened slightly at the picture of the casserole.

"Casserole?" Hermione asked.

Ethan kicked his little legs and banged his soldiers on the tray.

"Casserole it is," Hermione said walking back over to the counter. "Okay, Ethan. Mummy's going to get all these ingredients out first. I think you and I are going to make the best casserole ever."

"Mama," Ethan nodded.

Hermione grinned and peeked out the window to see her husband and Julie kicking around a football in the backyard. They'd be back there for awhile and would be very surprised when they saw the dinner she'd prepared.

"Okay," she said. "Let's start with the chicken," she pulled some out of the icebox. "And noodles- we need some noodles..."

"Oodle," Ethan echoed pounding on the tray with his soldiers.

"That's right," Hermione grinned at her son. "Noodle."

"Oodle," Ethan said grinning back at her.

"Your daddy has made this before and I think I remember how he did it," Hermione said as she looked through the pantry for some noodles.

"Dada!" Ethan cried triumphantly.

"I don't have time to defrost the chicken," Hermione said biting her bottom lip as she looked at the recipe. "But I'm sure that it's going to be okay once it's in the oven."

Ethan watched his mother and nodded as if he knew what she was doing.

About thirty minutes later, she had placed the casserole in the oven. She increased the temperature of the oven so it would be ready quicker. She picked Ethan up out of his seat. "How about you and I go in the sitting room and play until it's ready?"

"Pay," Ethan laughed.

"Play," Hermione said tickling his side.

Outside in the yard, Julie stared after her father as he ran away from her. "Dad! You nearly knocked me down!"

"Come on sweetheart," Harry grinned at her. "This is football."

"The only reason I'm doing this is because Chi wants me to tag along with her when she goes to Tosh's party," Julie said catching her breath. "I don't want to make a fool out of myself."

"That's good of you," Harry said, passing the ball to her.

"And there is this boy that's going to be there," Julie said kicking the ball back to him. When Harry stopped in his tracks, Julie rolled her eyes. "Dad!"

"Who is this boy?" Harry asked. "What's his name and how well do you know him?"

"I knew you'd be like this," Julie said shaking her head. "And you wonder why I don't tell you anything about boys..."

"Julie I'm just looking out for you," Harry said.

"You're being overprotective," Julie said. "He's just a boy that I fancy, Dad. No need to go mad. If you must know, his name is Stuart Adams and he's a good friend of Tosh's."

"I have a reason to be overprotective," Harry said. "You know that Julie."

"I know," Julie said. "But you can't protect me from everything. I have to make my own mistakes."

"I know that Jules," Harry told her. "But nothing you say can stop me from worrying just a little about you. It's part of being a parent."

Julie gave him a hug. "I love you, Daddy."

Harry kissed the top of her head. "I love you too baby."

Julie pulled away. "So can you show me how to....eww....what's that smell? Is something burning?"

Harry sniffed. "What is that?" he asked, heading towards the house. "Smells like burning rubber."

"There's smoke coming from the kitchen!" Julie said running after her father.

"Hermione!" Harry shouted as he pushed open the door.

Hermione had noticed the smell while she was in the sitting room with Ethan. She'd set him in his playpen as she went to investigate. The kitchen was full of smoke. "Oh no!"

"What the hell is going on in here?" Harry used his wand to extinguish the flames in the oven.

"I was making dinner," Hermione said helplessly.

"Mum, you can't cook!" Julie exclaimed with a cough.

Harry opened the windows as Hermione pushed the door open to air the room out. "Where's Ethan?" he asked.

"In the sitting room," Hermione replied. "I don't understand! I followed the recipe!"

"What were you trying to make?" Harry gagged as he pulled the dish out.

"Chicken casserole," Hermione replied quietly. "I turned the temperature up so it would cook faster..."

"Cook faster?" Harry poked it with his wand. "Hermione this is still half frozen..."

"It was supposed to defrost while it baked," Hermione said turning red. "I can brew any potion in the world but I can't even do this!"

Harry bit his lower lip to keep from laughing. "Love why don't you let me handle things in the kitchen?"

"I just don't understand why I can't get it," Hermione said morosely. "I've watched you do it loads of times."

"Well for one thing, defrosting this before you cook it helps out quite a bit," Harry dumped it in the garbage as Julie returned to the kitchen with Ethan, who was wrinkling his nose.

"Yucky," Ethan said burying his face in Julie's shoulder.

"I just wanted to save time," Hermione said. "I nearly burned the cottage down!"

"You didn't nearly burn the cottage down," Harry reassured her as Hermione buried her face in her hands.

"You just need more practise," Julie tried to reassure her. Harry vehemently shook his head. "Or not..."

"Ucky," Ethan said again from his sister's arms. "Dada!"

"Come here little man," Harry said taking him from Julie. "How about you and I order pizza?"

"That sounds good to me," Julie grinned. "But no chicken on it please."

"Deal," Harry said. He looked at Ethan. "You know what your Mummy needs right now? A big hug..."

"I like that idea," Hermione smiled at her family.

"Group hug," Julie said grinning at her mother.

Ethan clung to both his parents. "Dada!" he shrieked. "Mama!"

"And Jules," Julie said giggling.

***

"I don't think it was that bad," Hermione said nudging Harry hard in the ribs as he laughed at the memory.

"Oh come on it smelled in here for weeks!" Harry protested.

"It did not!" Hermione retorted. "And besides, Luna gave us those candles that really cleared up the smell..."

"Sure," Harry said, clearly amused.

"I'm just glad you never told anyone about that---" Hermione said. "Harry---you never told anyone, right? You promised..."

"I didn't have to," Harry said. "Ron told Cho and she told everyone else."

Hermione rolled her eyes. "You've done your share of embarrassing things, Potter."

"Not as many as you," Harry baited her.

"Okay, Mr. Cool," Hermione said laughing.

"Mr. Wonderful," Harry nudged her as they went into the sitting room.

"Lavender regrets ever giving you that name, you know," Hermione said.

"Why do you think I still use it?" Harry asked. "Makes her go mad nearly every time I say it."

"Speaking of Lavender," Hermione said grinning at him. "Do you remember when we came back from our honeymoon and she was here?"

"When wasn't she here?" Harry rolled his eyes.

"I know deep down you love her," Hermione said. "Though on that day..."

***

"No!" Harry exclaimed pulling his wife back from the door. "I have to carry you over the threshold..."

"But you did that already at the hotel on our wedding night," Hermione protested.

"But this is our home," Harry insisted.

Hermione grinned. "Okay, pick me up, husband."

"Welcome home Mrs. Potter," Harry said huskily as he gave her a kiss.

Hermione wrapped her arms around his neck and he picked her up. With his free hand, he opened the door and stepped over the threshold. They weren't in the house a few seconds before a shrill voice shouted out at them.

"WELCOME HOME!"

"What the hell!" Harry nearly dropped Hermione. "Lavender!"

Lavender giggled. "I'm so glad you guys are back! I have loads to tell you, Hermione. And I want to hear everything about the honeymoon. You two are so tanned! I must say I am surprised. I thought you were going to spend the entire honeymoon in your hotel room. Did you bring me anything?"

"Lav," Hermione said as Harry set her down. "Take a breath... what are you doing here?"

"Seamus is revising for his finals," Lavender said. "And he said I was getting on his nerves and he couldn't concentrate. Can you believe that?"

"Not at all," Harry deadpanned in a sarcastic voice.

"So I went over to Ron and Luna's, but Luna wasn't there and I spent the entire time watching Ron stuff his face," Lavender said rolling her eyes. "I don't know how Luna puts up with it."

Harry sent his wife a look as he retrieved their bags from the hall.

"And I remembered you two were coming home today," Lavender said linking arms with her cousin. "And I wanted to be the first to welcome you home. I put your post on the kitchen table."

"Thank you," Hermione said. "I do have something for you but I need to unpack first. Everything is so disorganised..."

Lavender gave her a hug. "You are positively glowing!"

"It's been an amazing two weeks," Hermione laughed.

"One big shagfest?" Lavender asked teasingly.

"One we were hoping to extend to our home," Harry said. "Now since we have company--"

Lavender laughed. "You had her to yourself for two weeks. She's my best friend and cousin and I've missed her."

"Why don't you help me unpack," Hermione said. "And I'll tell you all about it."

"Harry can make us some tea," Lavender said. "I did some shopping for you so you wouldn't have to."

"Let me get this straight," Harry said. "You want me to serve you tea?"

"And biscuits," Lavender said. "I stopped by this really nice bakery. I'll only have a couple though. I need to watch my figure."

"I would say so," Harry muttered, annoyed.

"That was really nice of Lavender, wasn't it, Harry?" Hermione asked him hoping to keep the peace.

Harry only shook his head and continued to mutter to himself.

"So what's been going on with you and Seamus?" Hermione asked as she led the way upstairs.

"Oh he's been so busy lately with school," Lavender waved a hand.

"He certainly is driven when it comes to that," Hermione said thoughtfully. "You have to respect him for that."

"I do," Lavender said. "I'm the same way with my designs."

"And you guys won't always be this busy," Hermione reassured her. "You just need to take time for each other every now and then."

"I know," Lavender said. "He's such a great guy. I'm so lucky."

"And he's lucky too," Hermione said smiling at her.

"I quite agree," Lavender beamed. "Now give me details Hermione!"

"What do you want to know?" Hermione asked, a dreamy expression coming over her face.

"Everything!" Lavender exclaimed.

"Well," Hermione began. "It was without a doubt the most beautiful and exotic place I've ever been. You should have seen the water, Lavender. It looked like---"

"I don't care about the bloody water!" Lavender exclaimed. "Give me the juicy details."

"Lav!" Hermione said. "You know I'm not going to go into that! Besides, it's not as if it was the first time."

"Not with you two," Lavender said laughing. "Did Mr. Wonderful do anything romantic?"

"Well," Hermione grinned. "The honeymoon suite at the hotel was amazing- he had music playing, and the whole place was lit by candlelight. And then the first night at the hotel on the islands he did the same thing, with champagne and all this fresh fruit..."

"Awwww," Lavender gushed.

"The whole time I felt like I never once touched the floor," Hermione laughed. "And we didn't leave the room until four days after we got there. I think housekeeping was about ready to kick us out."

Lavender giggled and urged Hermione to tell her more.

Nearly an hour later, Harry's patience had begun to wear thin. He'd gone through the post and sent an owl to Lupin to get the training schedule for the next week. What he really wanted to do was be alone with his wife, but he kept hearing Lavender's shrill laughter throughout the house.

"Come on," he muttered banging his fist on the counter. He didn't mind Lavender being there so much as sometimes she just didn't know when to leave.

As if someone was listening to him, he heard Hermione and Lavender's voices as they came downstairs.

"I love it," Lavender was saying to Hermione. "I'll never take this bracelet off."

"I'm glad," Hermione said. "I saw it and it practically had your name written all over it."

"Did you get me anything?" Lavender asked Harry as they came into the kitchen. At the look on his face, Lavender laughed and hit him playfully on the shoulder. "It's okay; I know the bracelet was from the two of you."

"Right," Harry mumbled, giving his wife a look.

"Lav, I'm sure you have better things to do than hang around here," Hermione said gently.

Lavender shook her head. "Not really. I mean Seamus is revising and Luna's at work. Cho's with the baby."

"Doesn't he need help drawing?" Harry said bluntly.

"It's for his exams," Lavender said plopping down on one of the chairs. "Not storyboards. I'm not needed."

Harry sighed in frustration and Hermione put her hand on his arm. "We probably need to go to the shops," she said.

"I already went for you, remember?" Lavender asked. "You have a well-stocked pantry and icebox."

"Great," Harry said sarcastically, going into the kitchen.

"He sure seems grumpy," Lavender remarked to Hermione.

"He's... tired," Hermione said. "We were planning on coming home to catch up on some sleep."

"Oh," Lavender said sheepishly. "Why didn't you say so? I should go so you can get a kip."

"We'll get together for lunch tomorrow," Hermione hugged her cousin.

"I'm so glad you're back," Lavender said smiling at her. "And you too, Harry!" she called over her shoulder.

"Leaving so soon?" Harry asked peeking inside the room.

"That's what you wanted isn't it?" Lavender returned before heading for the front door.

Hermione covered her mouth with her hand to keep from laughing.

"I never said that," Harry replied defensively.

"You didn't have to," Lavender said opening the door. "Go shag your wife, Harry. Ta-ta!"

"Finally," Harry said as the door closed behind her. "Doesn't she know when to take a hint?"

"Yes, but she also likes to drive you crazy," Hermione said laughing.

"And she does a good job," Harry rolled his eyes as Hermione wrapped her arms around him.

"So we should probably take a kip," Hermione said faking a yawn.

"No way," Harry said. "I've been stewing for the past hour."

"Anything I can do to help?" Hermione asked coyly.

"Why yes," Harry said, pushing her onto the sofa.

Hermione laughed. "We always seem to end up like this, don't we?"

"Two weeks of this wasn't enough for me," Harry said, kissing her.

"Yes, but now we'll have to deal with the real world again," Hermione said. "The honeymoon is over."

"Not until tomorrow," Harry slid his hand under her shirt.

"Very true," Hermione said grinning up at him.

***

Hermione leaned against her husband. "And as I remember, you were late for training the next morning and I missed out on registration."

Harry snorted with laughter. "Lupin was so pissed at me."

"But it was worth it," Hermione said.

"All time I spend with you is worth it," Harry nuzzled her ear.

"I hope Ethan and Maddie will be just as happy here as we were," Hermione said softly.

"I think they will be," Harry said. "The two of them are blindly in love like us."

"I can't believe my little boy is getting married," Hermione said. "I can still see him following you around when he was so little."

"Yeah," Harry said wistfully. "And Saffy will be next..."

"They all grew up way too fast," Hermione said. "Saffron Grace....our baby."

"I hate that she's dating," Harry said. "I mean, I like Andrew- he treats her like a queen. But I just don't like her growing up."

"And there's nothing we can do about it," Hermione said squeezing his hand. "She's a good girl, Harry."

"She is," Harry said. "We've raised three amazing kids Hermione."

"And we have two beautiful granddaughters," Hermione said.

"With more to come," Harry grinned.

108. Chapter 108

AN: Thank you again to everyone who reviewed- we appreciate ALL your comments and questions. We’re also so glad you guys like Gabe :) He’s been a lot of fun to write. In this chapter he meets Alexa and then we get some time with the Longbottoms :) As always PLEASE let us know what you think!! Reviews are our life (we’re not THAT sad but we do love reviews :D )

Saffron picked Gabriel up and together the two of them set off to Alexa's mum's bakery. She had a nice conversation with him on the phone a couple of days ago and she could tell that his disposition seemed to have improved greatly since the last time she'd seen him.

"So you excited about meeting your grandparents tomorrow?" she asked him. "I've met them a few times and they're really nice, Gabe."

"Yeah I'm looking forward to it," he said. "My dad has been telling me all about them over the past few days."

Saffron smiled at him. "I'm so glad you guys are getting along. I told you Seamus was a great guy."

Gabriel smiled back at her. "So tell me more about your friend."

"Lex and I have been best friends since the day we met on the Hogwarts Express," Saffron said. At his quizzical look, she laughed. "That's how we get to school each term.”

"Oh," he said. "And she works in a bakery during your summer vacation?"

Saffron nodded. "It's her Mum's bakery. She's worked there every year since she's been able to see over the counter. And even though I am biased, she's really one of the sweetest people you'd ever want to meet. She's a little shy around people she doesn't know very well, but once she knows you..."

"Sounds like a great girl," Gabriel said.

"You're about to find out," Saffron said grinning at him. She pointed across the street. "That's her mum's bakery."

"It smells fantastic," Gabriel took a deep whiff of the air.

"That would be her mum's homemade fudge," Saffron said. "I'll get you some- it's to DIE for."

"Thanks, Saffy," Gabriel said following her across the street. He quickened his step so he could hold the door open for her.

Saffron grinned. "Aren't you polite," she teased.

Gabriel opened his mouth to respond, but he caught sight of a pretty red-haired girl standing behind the counter helping a customer. Her hair was pulled back into a plait and she wore a white apron over her blue t-shirt and jeans.

"Saffy, I'll be right with you," the girl called out to Saffron.

"That's Lex," Saffron told him, waving back.

Gabriel nodded and felt his cheeks burn when the girl turned her attention to him. She smiled warmly at him and stupidly, he looked away.

"Lex can you wrap me up some of your mum's fudge before we leave?" Saffron was oblivious to Gabriel's discomfort.

"Sure," Alexa said. "I even have some of the white chocolate for you."

"Didn't I tell you she was great?" Saffron said grinning at Gabriel.

"Yeah," he mumbled, turning red.

"And I don't know what happened to my manners," Saffron laughed. "Lexie, this is Gabriel Boyd. Gabe- my best friend Alexa O'Leary."

"It's nice to meet you, Gabriel," Alexa said shyly. "Saffy's told me so much about you."

"Yeah, she's told me a lot about you too," Gabriel said, thrusting his hands into his pockets.

"How much longer until you're ready?" Saffron asked. "We have time to get something to eat before the movie if we leave soon."

"Mum," Alexa called out.

Karen O'Leary came out from the back. "Yes love?"

"Do you need me for anything else?" Alexa asked.

Karen shook her head. "No, it's nearly closing. Saffron! How are you?"

"Hi Mrs. O'Leary," Saffron hugged her best friend's mother. "This is Gabriel Boyd, my cousin." she introduced them.

"It's nice to meet you, Gabriel," Karen said warmly. "Alexa tells me you're from the States."

"California," Gabriel answered. "This is my first time overseas."

"I hope you'll enjoy yourself here," Karen said.

"I have so far," Gabriel said.

Alexa took off her apron. "I don't think we'll be back too late, Mum."

"Have fun love," Karen kissed her daughter's forehead. "Saffron, you come by more often and it was lovely meeting you Gabriel."

"You too," Gabriel replied.

Alexa grabbed her jumper from under the counter and followed Saffron and Gabriel out of the bakery.

"I apologise if I smell like icing and chocolate," Alexa told them.

"It's a nice smell," Gabriel said automatically.

"Thanks," Alexa said blushing. "I guess it could be worse, right? I could work in a fish factory..."

"Gross," Saffron wrinkled her nose. "That's where Christina Grant should be working now."

"Who?" Gabriel asked.

"You don't want to know," Saffron and Alexa said together.

"Okay then," Gabriel laughed as Saffron's mobile began to ring.

"Probably my dad," Saffron rolled her eyes. "Hello? Andrew! I thought you were at your party..." she held up her index finger and walked away a few steps.

"We may never see her again," Alexa joked.

"How long have she and Andrew been together?" Gabriel asked, trying not to stare at Alexa. She was the prettiest girl he'd seen in a long time.

Alexa looked thoughtfully at him. "Since Christmas, but he fancied her for quite some time before then."

"I hope I'll get to meet him soon," Gabe said, kicking at a stone on the street.

"You will," Alexa said. She too seemed at a loss for words. It was always hard around new people. "Um, Saffy tells me that you're going to be a doctor."

"Yeah," Gabriel nodded. "I start school in the fall."

"Must be nice to know what you want to do with your life," Alexa said thoughtfully. "I have no idea."

"Really?" Gabriel asked. "Not taking over for your mum in the bakery?"

Alexa shrugged. "I'm not sure. Everyone keeps telling me I need to make up my mind and I feel if I don't decide soon, it'll be too late. "

"You'll figure it out," Gabriel said. "You seem really smart..." he blushed and stuffed his hands in his pockets again, wishing he wasn't so tongue tied.

"I don't know about that," Alexa said, her own cheeks turning pink. "How'd you figure it all out?"

"I wasn't sure either until my mum died," Gabriel answered quietly. "And then I knew what I wanted to do- to try and save other people."

"That's really great," Alexa said admiringly.

"Yeah," he said. "I guess it is..."

"It is," Alexa said smiling at him. "I'm sure your mother would be very proud."

"I hope so," Gabriel replied, half hoping Saffron would come back soon.

"It's really a nice night," Alexa said looking up at the sky. She had a feeling that Gabriel might be uncomfortable talking about his mother and she decided to change the subject.

"I like it over here," Gabriel said. "Its warmer back home in California but England is just so different."

"I've never been to the States," Alexa admitted. "But I've always wanted to go. I've looked at some of the Muggle universities there."

"Which ones?" Gabriel asked her.

"Notre Dame," Alexa replied. "I have an uncle who went there, actually. And UCLA. They have a really great creative writing program."

"UCLA is right by me," Gabriel said. "Although I'll be going to USC- you'd be kind of close."

"I still have two years left at Hogwarts," Alexa said. "You'll probably have forgotten all about me by the time I'm ready for university."

"Nah," he said, turning red again.

Alexa couldn't help thinking how cute and nice Gabriel was. Perhaps she and Saffron could help set him up with one of their friends while he was here. Beth or Mimi would probably be completely head over heels for him, she thought.

"Sorry about that," Saffron was grinning widely. "But Andrew said he didn't want to go all night without talking to me."

"At least Andrew's calling you," Alexa said smiling at her friend. "I haven't heard from RJ since he left two nights ago."

"He's probably just so excited about being on the team he's not thinking of anything else," Saffron assured her.

"RJ's your boyfriend?" Gabriel asked trying not to sound disappointed. He'd forgotten she had one.

"Yeah," Alexa said.

"They've been together over a year now," Saffron told him. "Hogwarts poster couple."

"We are not," Alexa protested.

"Are too," Saffron grinned at Gabriel.

"How about we decide where we're going to eat?" Alexa asked.

"Sure," Saffron said. "You pick Gabe- you want good old fashioned pub food? Or something closer to home like fast food?" she laughed.

"Pub food sounds good," Gabriel said with a chuckle.

"Perfect," Saffron said. "I know where we can get the absolute best fish and chips you'll EVER eat."

"Lead the way," Gabriel said.

Fifteen minutes later they were settled in a corner booth. "We'll have to double with you while you're here," Saffron said. "Especially when we go to Brighton- Andrew and RJ are coming with. It's going to be so much fun."

"That's really nice of you, Saffron, but I think I'll pass," Gabriel said. "I won't have a date and I don't want to be a fifth wheel."

"We'll find someone for you," Saffron was determined.

"It's okay," Gabriel said. "I don't want to be a project."

"Don't be silly," Saffron was undeterred. "You're not a project. I want you to have a good time while you're here."

"You may as well give up," Alexa told him. "Saffron will wear you down until she gets her way. Comes from being the baby of her family." she grinned at her friend.

"She's right, Gabe," Saffron said grinning at him. "You're going to be in love by the time you leave England."

"Maybe," he mumbled, sneaking a glance at Alexa.

"She's actually pretty good at matchmaking," Alexa said. "She certainly helped me and RJ out."

"I did," Saffron said proudly. "And then I got my Andrew."

"Your Andrew," Gabriel teased. "Does he know this is how you refer to him?"

"He's a kept man," Alexa laughed.

There was a loud commotion from the front of the pub and everyone turned to see a group of rowdy blokes stumble into the pub.

Alexa and Saffron both rolled their eyes until they saw a familiar red head in the group.

"Is he wearing a dress?" Saffron asked in disbelief.

"You have got to be kidding me," Alexa's face was as red as her hair. "Saffy look at him!"

Saffron, Alexa and Gabriel watched as RJ's team-mates made him climb on top of the bar.

"Sing, Veronica," one of them shouted over the crowd.

"Veronica?" Saffron said incredulously. "Oh why don't we have a bloody camera?"

"Whazyouguyswantmetosing?" RJ burbled incoherently.

"Spell my Love," one of them taunted.

"I am so going to ask Maddie for a Pensieve," Saffron said gleefully. "I want to remember this always."

"Don't forget to dance!" another bloke called out.

"Is this some sort of initiation?" Gabriel asked.

Saffron nodded. "That's RJ and his new team-mates."

"You cast a spell," RJ began to sing, stumbling a bit as he tried to dance. "And I was enchannnnnnnnnnnnnnntttttttttted...."

Alexa shrank back. "I'm sorry to say I don't even want him to see me."

"This is fabulous," Saffron said gleefully.

"Shake your sexy bum!" one of his team-mates called out.

"I am so holding this over his head for the next century," Saffron said, shrieking in laughter as RJ stumbled over the words of the song.

At the end of the song, RJ received a round of applause from the crowd and a couple of his team-mates helped him off the bar.

"Now he has to do a shot," the captain of the team said. "In fact, we will all do a shot to welcome Veronica to the team!"

"So um... why are they calling him Veronica?" Gabriel was perplexed.

"His name is Ronald Weasley Junior," Alexa explained her head still in her hands. "And I'm sure that's their way of humiliating him.”

"Pink really is his colour," Saffron said giggling. "Brings out the blue in his eyes."

"Saffy stop," Alexa pleaded. "This has got to be humiliating for him."

"He's too pissed to know what's going on," Saffron replied. "I think I'm going to go have some fun with him."

"Saffy!" Alexa called out but her friend was already heading for the bar.

"Hi boys," Saffron smiled. "You know, I can tell you some interesting things about old Veronica here."

RJ grinned drunkenly at her. "Look! It's my good send Faffy!"

"Little Veronica used to run around his house starkers," Saffron grinned wickedly. "And he used to tell everyone he was a fairy."

RJ's team-mates nearly fell over themselves they were laughing so hard.

"Ssss not true," RJ mumbled. "No fairy."

"Oh come on Ronnie Jr," Saffron laughed. "We've all seen the pictures."

RJ tried to focus on Saffron, but there were four of her dancing in front of him and he couldn't make out which was the right one. "Shlexie, she here?"

"Maybe," Saffron giggled.

RJ looked blearily around the pub and spotted his girlfriend talking to a bloke in the back of the pub. His eyes darkened as he saw the boy put his hand on Alexa's shoulder.

Saffron pushed at his shoulder, nearly toppling him over. "Come on Veronica- come meet my cousin Gabriel- not that you'll remember it in the morning..."

RJ waved her off and stumbled off to confront this guy who was making a move on his girl.

"RJ," Saffron recognised her friend's behaviour. "Stop right now, she pulled hard on his arm, making him stop. "Don't you dare create a scene with him." her eyes were serious and narrowed.

"I don't feel so good," RJ said feeling quite woozy.

"I bet you don't," Saffron said. "I've never seen anyone so pissed in my life."

RJ leaned on her. "I have two more days of this."

"You're going to kill yourself," Saffron told him as Alexa slid out of the booth and approached them.

"RJ?" Alexa asked hesitantly. "Are you okay?"

"Baby," RJ grinned at her. "I miss you..." he reached for her and nearly fell over.

Gabriel got up to offer his assistance. With his help, Alexa managed to steady RJ.

"Who you?" RJ slurred.

"Gabriel," Gabriel replied. "Nice to meet you."

"Ohhh...." RJ leaned on his girlfriend. "You here with um... with..."

"Alexa and Saffy," Gabriel said.

"Come on mate!" RJ's team mate called out. "Quit playing with the kiddies and come on. We're hitting the next pub."

"Kiddies..." RJ laughed. "He calls you kiddies..."

"Oh yes, it's really hilarious," Saffron said glaring at him.

"Love you baby," RJ smiled endearingly at Alexa. "I'll see you after soon..."

"Bye little ones," RJ's team mate said with a cackle. He took RJ's arm and led him out of the pub.

"What a wanker," Saffron said furiously. "Wait until I get on the team in a few years."

"I've never seen him pissed before," Alexa said sitting back down again.

"I have," Saffron said. "But never that bad."

"He seems... nice..." Gabriel said with a shrug.

"He is when he's not singing show tunes and wearing a pink dress," Saffron said. "You just haven't seen him at his best."

"Obviously," Gabriel chuckled.

"You think he's going to be okay?" Alexa asked. "Those guys didn't look very concerned..."

"I think they'll take care of him," Saffron said as their food was brought over. "It's like a code or something- they take care of their own."

"I hope so," Alexa said. She wondered for a moment if she would like hanging around with those people. If she and RJ stayed together, they'd have to hang out with his team mates.

"They're probably not normally that bad," Saffron assured her friend. "Frankie would never let them do anything to hurt RJ."

"Right," Alexa said wanting to believe her. She looked at Gabriel. "So, what do you think of the food?"

"Great," Gabriel said. "Best fish I've ever had and that's saying a lot."

Alexa smiled. "What's your favourite place to eat back home?"

"I don't really have a favourite place," Gabriel said. "I'll eat pretty much anything and everything."

"I hear that America has the best pizza," Alexa said.

"In Chicago they're famous for pizza," Gabriel said. "It's really good."

"I've never been there," Saffron said. "But I did go with my mum and dad to New York. That was fun. And I've gone to see Uncle Seamus and Aunt Lav loads of times."

"You two were so close and never even knew it," Alexa remarked.

"I had a whole family I didn't even know," Gabriel said quietly.

"Right," Alexa said softly. "Sorry, I put my foot in my mouth again..."

Without thinking, Gabriel reached across the table and put his hand on her arm. "Its okay, Alexa. You didn't do anything wrong." He caught the look on Saffron's face and he quickly withdrew his hand.

"I just sometimes say the wrong thing," Alexa pushed her chips around.

"No one's perfect all the time," Gabriel reassured her. He could feel Saffron's eyes on him and he quickly returned his attention to his food.

Alexa also caught Saffron's eye and gave her best friend a quizzical glance.

"Lex, why don't you go and put on some music?" Saffron asked motioning toward the juke box in the back. "Pick something good."

Alexa shook her head but got up and headed for the jukebox.

"This is really good food," Gabriel said evasively.

"Yeah," Saffron nodded.

"Look-" Gabriel began but she interrupted him

"Gabe, Alexa has a boyfriend," Saffron said. "A boyfriend who admittedly made a complete arse of himself tonight, but a boyfriend just the same. And she loves him very much."

"I know that," he said. "She's a nice girl Saffron- just like you told me."

"She is," Saffron said. "And you are a nice bloke. And I can see right through you, Gabriel Boyd."

"Look I just got out of a relationship back home all right?" he said a bit testily. "I like her- but I don't want to date anyone right now. So don't worry- I'm not the type of guy to come between a girl and her boyfriend."

"Okay," Saffron said visibly relieved. Gabriel was a great guy and if Alexa hadn't been dating RJ, she'd be all for them getting together, but she knew her best friend was head over heels for RJ. "So who was this girl that broke your heart?"

"Just this girl Emily," Gabriel said. "I don't really want to talk about her."

Saffron nodded. "Well, you have to ring me once you get back from Ireland. I want to hear how it went."

"Sure," he nodded as Alexa rejoined them.

Saffron groaned as she recognised the song Alexa had chosen. "Lexie, this song?"

"I like it," Alexa and Gabriel said at the same time.

"But it's so overplayed," Saffron complained.

"That doesn't mean it's not a good song," Alexa rolled her eyes good naturedly and smiled at Gabriel.

Gabriel found himself grinning back at her and despite what he'd told Saffron, he could see himself genuinely falling for this girl. But he knew that was crazy. He'd be going home soon and she had a boyfriend.

"So what film are we seeing?" Alexa asked them both.

Gabriel shrugged and looked at Saffron.

"I thought we'd just play it by ear," she answered. "Go to the theatre and see what's playing around the time we get there."

"What kinds of films do you like, Gabriel?" Alexa asked him.

Gabriel looked thoughtfully at her. "I love the old ones, best. The classics."

"I'm a big fan of Alfred Hitchcock films," Alexa said. "Rear Window is one of my all time favourite movies- remember when we watched that Saffy- we didn't sleep a wink the rest of the night!"

"Don't even get me started on Psycho," Saffron said shivering.

"The first time I saw that I think I was about nine," Gabriel laughed. "I begged my mum to never make me shower again."

"I did the same," Alexa giggled. "Saffron freaked out over The Birds."

"I did not!" Saffron said defensively.

"You did too," Alexa laughed. "When we saw those pigeons while we were out in London you about had a fit. I thought you were going to run all the way home without stopping."

Gabriel laughed. "Don't feel too bad, Saffy. It freaked me out too."

"We were only twelve," Saffron glared at her friend.

"Which wasn't that long ago," Alexa said giggling.

"You nearly had a coronary that time we went to the House of Wax downtown," Saffron pointed out. "And that was just two summers ago."

"Okay," Alexa said defensively. "Those things were scary. I had nightmares for days after that."

Gabriel laughed. "You two seem to be a little competitive."

"We're not really," Alexa said.

"We're like any best friends," Saffron agreed. "I'm sure you're the same way with your mates back home, right?"

"I guess," Gabriel said. Truth be told, he only had a few close friends.

Saffron's mobile rang again and she rolled her eyes when she saw the name on the screen. "My dad...I'll be right back you guys."

"Is her dad overprotective?" Gabriel asked as Saffron walked away.

"He's like any other dad, but because of who he is, I think he's got a right to be," Alexa said thoughtfully.

Gabriel shrugged. "Is he famous or something in... your world?"

Alexa smiled. "You could say that. It's a really long story, but he basically saved all of us from a really dangerous and violent man. If it hadn't been for him..."

"Wow," Gabriel was impressed. "You don't hear about that sort of thing anymore, at least not in the Muggle world."

"And you'd never know he'd done it by talking to him," Alexa said. "He's not the type to bring it up."

"I met him the first morning I was here," Gabriel finished his dinner. "Seems like a pretty cool guy."

"Saffy's whole family is great," Alexa said smiling at him. "Her mum's the Minister for Magic and she's just like any other mum."

"That's like... the prime minister only for your world?" Gabriel asked. "Like our president?"

"Exactly," Alexa said nodding.

"That's really cool," Gabriel said.

Alexa smiled at him. "You know I'm usually kind of quiet around people I don't know, but you're really easy to talk to."

"Thanks," Gabriel grinned at her. "You're easy to talk to as well."

Saffron came back to the table and she wore a huge smile. "My dad just told me that one of the theatres downtown is showing Rear Window."

"Oooh," Alexa grinned. "Should we risk it?"

"Let's be brave Gryffindors," Saffron said. "Even you, Gabriel. Tonight, you're an honorary Gryffindor."

"What's that?" he asked.

"One of the houses at Hogwarts," Saffron explained. "Lexie and I are in Gryffindor as was my father and yours. We're known for being brave."

"I see," Gabriel grinned. "So what would other Gryffindors say if they knew you ran away from a flock of pigeons?"

"They'd probably call us Hufflepuffs," Saffron said grinning back at him. "And never let us hear the end of it. So you can not tell another soul about what we told you here tonight, Gabriel."

"You were privy to things that must never reach the light of day," Alexa laughed.

"And if I were to tell someone?" Gabriel asked them.

"You'll be in trouble when we both turn 17," Saffron deadpanned.

Gabriel laughed. "So in other words, I should keep my mouth shut?"

"You catch on quickly," Saffron put her arm through his.

Alexa did the same on his other side. "I think this just might be the beginning of a beautiful friendship."

*** *** ***

Allison smiled as she looked over at her youngest daughter fast asleep on the sofa. She'd had a busy morning watching her Aunt Chiaki and Uncle Toshio practising. They'd even shown the little girl a step or two causing her to laugh and twirl in delight.

Allison had been working at the studio for a few weeks now and she really was enjoying it. She knew that Cho certainly had liked having easy access to her granddaughters.

"Allie," Cho said coming into the office. "I was just wondering---"

Her voice trailed off as she saw Emma. "She's out like a light, isn't she?"

"Chi and Tosh wore her out," Allison said with a quiet laugh.

Cho gingerly sat down on the sofa. "She looks like a little angel."

"She is," Allison grinned. "I feel so lucky that Caroline and Emma are such good siblings. Hopefully we'll be lucky with our little boy as well."

"I think you will," Cho said smiling at her. "And you are doing a fantastic job here. I was a disorganised mess before you came along."

"I'm glad I can help," Allison replied. "I should have come here long ago."

"I'm glad you're here now," Cho said.

"Gamma?" Emma said groggily.

"Yes baby girl?" Cho said smiling down at her.

"Hi," Emma said.

"Hi," Cho said softly. "You were sleepy, weren't you?"

Emma nodded as she sat up. "Eat, Mummy."

"Come here and you can have half of my sandwich," Allison said.

Emma slid off the sofa and rubbed at her eyes.

"Where's baby?" she asked.

"Silly girl," Allison said affectionately. "You ask me that every day!"

"In Mummy's tummy," Emma said laughing as she came around the desk. "Sissy said."

Cho laughed. "Look who's a smart girl!"

Emma beamed at her grandmother as she sat down with Allison. "Sammiches."

"Here you go love," Allison cut the crusts off and handed her daughter the sandwich. "Just the way you like it."

"Tanks," Emma said gratefully.

"Will you tell her she's nuts, Cho?" Toshio asked as he and his wife came into the office. "She thinks she's not up to par."

"Sweetheart, you were fantastic," Cho said to her as Chiaki sat down. "Everyone was glad to see you back."

"I guess," Chiaki rolled her eyes. "I just think I look so enormous when I see myself in the mirror, and my pirouettes are completely out of step. Even the five year old group is better than I am."

"You can't even tell you had twins," Allison said. "Chi, you are gorgeous and talented and you know it."

"I suppose," Chiaki wasn't reassured.

"You are beautiful," Toshio said offering her his hand. "Come on. And I happen to be crazy about you. Always have been."

Chiaki smiled. "That makes me lucky."

"How are the twins?" Allison asked. "I bet they're getting big."

"Teething," Chiaki said.

"And they have quite a healthy set of lungs," Toshio replied. "I think they're trying to outcry each other."

Allison and Cho laughed. "That'll be Josh and Lizzy in another few months then."

"They should invest in headache remedy potions," Chiaki said. "Loads of it."

"I'll make sure and tell them," Allison smiled as Emma reached for her little cup.

"How's Josh's book coming along?" Toshio asked conversationally.

"Pretty good," Allison set some crackers out for her daughter. "He's in the final stages of his first version and it'll go to his editor to be checked over and then sent back for any revisions."

Emma handed one of the crackers to Allison. "For baby?"

"Thanks sweetheart," Allison took the cracker.

"Speaking of baby," Chiaki grinned at her sister. "How are you feeling?"

"Good," Allison replied. "This has been an easy pregnancy, so far. Knock on wood."

"I hope it stays that way," Chiaki said. "And if there's anything I can do for you--"

"I know," Allison said smiling back at her. "I appreciate that."

"I can't wait to be a grandmother again," Cho said as Emma climbed into her lap.

"Have another baby to spoil," Chiaki teased.

"Yeah, Em won't be the baby anymore," Toshio said.

Emma shook her head. "Em still baby!"

Chiaki laughed and reached for her niece. "Only until your brother is born!"

"Em still baby," Emma said her lower lip trembling. "Don't want go away."

"You'll never go away sweetheart," Allison kneeled down by her daughter. "You'll always be our little Emma."

"Baby?" Emma asked.

"Well when your brother is born he'll be the real baby," Allison tried to explain. "But you'll always be the baby girl."

"Em not like baby," Emma said turning away from her mother and burying her face in Chiaki's shoulder.

"Emma," Allison said. "You'll love the baby when he's born. You and Caroline get to name him remember?"

Emma didn't say anything and Chiaki patted her back reassuringly. "It's fun being the big sister. You are going to love it."

Emma only shook her head as they all heard a knock at the door. A moment later Jon had poked his head inside. "Are you lot having a secret meeting or can Caroline and I listen in?" he joked.

"Come on in," Cho said. "Emma's just---"

Emma scurried over to her father. "Daddy!"

"Hi baby girl," Jon swung her up and kissed her cheek.

"Hi Mummy," Caroline said going over to give her a hug. "I missed you today."

"I missed you too," Allison kissed her forehead. "How was school?"

"Good," Caroline said proudly. "I had the best marks on my reading test."

"That's fantastic," Allison said, smoothing back her hair. "I bet you can't wait until school is over for the summer hols so we can go to Brighton."

Caroline nodded and looked over her shoulder where her sister was holding on to Jon as if she was scared he was going to disappear. "What's wrong with Emma?"

"She wants to stay the baby of the family," Allison said.

"Is that true, Em?" Jon asked her softly.

"Em stay baby," Emma insisted.

"You will always be our baby," Jon said smiling at her. "And we're always going to love you."

"Em love Daddy," Emma hugged him tightly.

"Daddy loves his Em very, very much," Jon said hugging her back.

"You and me are going to be big sisters," Caroline said. "We'll get to boss him around, Em. It's going to be fun."

"Boss?" Emma asked. "What's boss?"

Caroline smiled. "We get to tell him what to do and when to do it."

"Oh," Emma's eyes grew round.

"Caroline, that's not entirely true," Toshio said.

Caroline folded her arms. "It's working, Uncle Tosh. Be quiet."

Allison laughed. "Caroline be nice."

"Sorry," Caroline said to her uncle.

"It's all right Angel," Toshio grinned at her. "Are you ready for dance class? Your aunt and I are helping out today."

"You are?" Caroline asked excitedly. "You haven't done that in ages!"

Toshio picked her up and swung her around. "That's right princess, we are."

"Yay!" Caroline said giggling. "Do Katie and Mia know?"

"Probably not yet but they will," Chiaki stood up. "I should go stretch so I'm not so out of tune this time."

"You've never been out of tune," Toshio said. "Quit fishing for compliments, Chi."

"Aunt Chi you're fantastic," Caroline said loyally.

"Em dance too," Emma seemed to have forgotten about her plight as baby of the family. "Em want to dance!"

"Come on then," Chiaki said smiling at them. "You can help me stretch."

"Kay," Emma agreed, holding out her hand.

"What music do you guys want to warm up to?" Chiaki asked her nieces. "Classical? Rock? Jazz?"

"The Weird Sisters!" Caroline ran behind the partition to change into her leotard.

Chiaki laughed. "That okay with you, Em?"

"Kay," Emma said, twirling around in front of the mirror.

Chiaki smiled at her niece as she began to stretch in front of the mirror.

"Sissy," Emma said. "Watch!"

Caroline finished dressing and ran out from behind the partition carrying her ballet slippers. "Go, Emma!"

Emma did her little dance just like Will had showed her, making Caroline and Chiaki giggle.

"Let me see if I can do it too," Caroline said standing beside her sister.

Chiaki couldn't resist either and she mimicked Emma's movements.

Emma laughed as her sister and aunt danced just like her. "Get down bad self!" she said, giggling.

Chiaki giggled. "Emma!"

"Aunt Chiaki she's a good dancer isn't she?" Caroline was almost laughing too hard to dance.

"You both are," Chiaki said grinning at her. "And I'd better stretch before..."

"Would my wife care to dance?" Toshio asked coming up behind her.

"I have to stretch," she protested.

"Please dance for us?" Caroline begged.

Toshio smiled at his wife. "You gonna turn down those two sweet, adorable faces? Not to mention break your husband's heart?"

"Of course I can't," Chiaki said. "You're all getting too good at the guilt trips."

Toshio pumped his fist triumphantly. "So what shall we do? Tango? Mambo? Ballet?"

"Mambo," Emma echoed, clapping her hands.

Toshio grinned. "Mambo it is. Caroline, can you put on the music for us?"

"Okay," Caroline excitedly ran over to the CD player.

"I haven't done this one in awhile," Chiaki said in a hushed voice to her husband.

"I know you Chiaki Hanari," Toshio whispered. "And you remember every dance you ever did."

Chiaki shook her head. "I hope I don't trip over my own feet."

Toshio rolled his eyes. "Then I'll hold you up."

The music began and Chiaki looked into her husband's eyes. The moves came back to her just as Toshio said they would and she effortlessly moved with him.

Jon, Allison and Cho joined Caroline and Emma to watch.

"She's always had such a natural way about her," Cho said to Allison.

"Just like you," Allison whispered.

"I'm not as nubile as I used to be," Cho admitted.

"You've still got it, Mum," Allison said putting an arm around her.

Caroline watched with rapt attention. "I want to dance like that," she whispered.

Jon, who had never been known for his dancing abilities, tapped her on the shoulder. "Can I have this dance, my lady?"

"Daddy," she giggled.

"Please?" Jon asked kneeling before her.

"Okay," Caroline grinned at her father.

"Daddy is going to need a lot of help," Jon said as he took her hands in his. "How do we do this, Angel?"

"Well," Caroline glanced at her aunt and uncle. "I think we have to start like this..."

"Okay," Jon said following her lead. He looked down at his feet.

"No," Caroline told him. "Grandma says never to look at your feet, Daddy."

"I'm sorry Angel," Jon grinned.

"You're not that bad," Caroline told him.

"You should tell your mum that," Jon said. "She says I step on her feet too much."

"I'll tell her," Caroline said. "Can you spin me like Aunt Chiaki?"

"I can sure try Angel," Jon said, picking her up.

"Okay," Caroline instructed. "One, two, three..."

Jon did his best to imitate Toshio and Chiaki.

Allison smiled adoringly at them. "This is the sweetest thing ever."

"Jon's always been a good father," Cho put an arm around her daughter.

"He has," Allison agreed.

"And he makes you very, very happy." Cho added.

Allison nodded and laughed as Jon spun their daughter around.

"Looks to me like you still have it, Chi," Toshio said grinning at her. "Told you so."

"I suppose I do," Chiaki laughed as he dipped her back.

"No supposing about it," Toshio said pulling her back up.

"Em still baby, Mummy?" Emma asked looking up at her mother.

"Sweetheart," Allison picked her up. "Of course you're still the baby. But soon enough you'll want to be a big girl like Caroline."

"Still love?" Emma asked poking her bottom lip out.

"Always love," Allison kissed her cheek. "I'll always love my Emma."

Emma beamed at her.

Nick walked in with Katie and the little girl quickly checked her reflection in the mirror to make sure her hair was perfect.

"Hi Katie!" Caroline said waving at her. "Look at me and my Daddy!"

Katie grinned at her. "Did you show him what we learned last week?"

Caroline shook her head. "Want to help me?"

"By all means," Jon said letting go of Caroline. "I think I've embarrassed myself enough today."

"You did great," Caroline said loyally.

"Thank you Angel," Jon kissed his daughter's cheek.

Caroline grinned and skipped over to her best friend. "Let's show them," Caroline said. "Aunt Chiaki, you tell us if we don't do it right."

"Okay," Chiaki sat down. "Show me your steps girls."

Caroline and Katie both did the ballet routine that Cho had taught them last week. Chiaki, thinking to help them, walked over to Katie. "That's great girls, but Katie you're over extending..."

Katie glared at her. "It was fine."

"It's just a little too high of a lift in the leg," Chiaki explained.

"I think it was perfect," Katie said.

"Katherine Rose," Nick said. "Your Aunt Chiaki has been doing this a lot longer than you and she's only trying to help."

"But I've been practising!" Katie folded her arms.

"I know you've been working hard," Chiaki said gently. "You just need to watch your position is all. Will you let me help?"

Katie shrugged but didn't say anything.

Nick sat down beside Jon and sighed. "Why do I have a feeling that Jules and me are going to have our hands full with her more than we already do now?"

"She really likes to be right," Jon replied.

"That's an understatement," Nick said. "And to top it off, she's not doing that well in school. She thinks it's the teacher's fault. It doesn't help matters that Ashley's getting top marks."

"I wish I knew how to help you mate," Jon said. "You know if there's anything Al or I can do we'll do it."

"I appreciate that," Nick said with a slight smile. "How've you been?"

"Pretty good," Jon said with a grin. "I love working at the pub. You'll have to come by sometime with Jules."

"We will," Nick said. "You going to be able to come to Brighton still?"

"Yeah definitely," Jon answered. "I'm really looking forward to it."

"Me too," Nick said. "It's great having Jules back full-time."

Jon grinned at him. "I bet it is."

Emma tugged on Nick's arm. "Where's Joos?"

"Joos is at home," Nick lifted her onto his lap.

"Joos funny," Emma said leaning against him.

Nick grinned. "Emma's funny. In fact, I think you might be the most adorable redhead I've ever seen."

Emma giggled. "Em want to dance!"

"I've got it," Jon said taking her from Nick. "Come on, Em. Let's cha-cha."

"Cha?" Emma asked.

"Your Aunt Maddie loves this one," Jon said. "Come on, I'll show you."

"Kay," Emma agreed. "Where Mad?"

"Working, I imagine," Jon said. "But you'll get to see her soon, I promise."

"Dance," Emma told him. "Dance now!"

"Okay, okay," Jon laughed. "Okay, I'm going to hold you just like this and we move one, two, three..."

Caroline and Katie ran over to Nick. "Daddy when class if over can I go with Caroline for pizza, please?"

Nick shook his head. "You remember what we talked about?"

"Please?" Katie begged.

"No," Nick said firmly. "You only have two more days of school left, Katie and you have that big test tomorrow."

"But it's just pizza," Katie pouted.

"Maybe another time," Nick said. "But not tonight, Katie."

"But I have to have dinner," Katie persisted. "And I don't want anything but pizza!"

"You need to do well on that test, Katie," Nick said. "If you don't, we'll have to get you a tutor and you'll spend most of your summer hols inside a library. Is that what you want?"

"No," Katie said sullenly.

"Okay then," Nick said smiling at her. "You can have pizza with Caroline another night."

"Fine," Katie stomped across the room and behind the partition where the girls changed.

"I'm sorry, Uncle Nick," Caroline said. "I should have waited to ask you first."

"It's all right Caroline," Nick smiled at the young girl. "Katie's got to know she can't always have everything her way."

"She's not going to like that," Caroline commented.

Cho smiled as the rest of her class began to file in to the room.

"Hello, Mia!" she said warmly to the girl. "Hi, Claire."

"Hi Mrs. Longbottom," Mia smiled at her.

"You look very pretty today," Cho said. "I love that colour leotard."

Mia spun around happily- her parents had bought her the light blue leotard the night before. "Thank you."

"Mia!" Caroline exclaimed happily. "You're here!"

"Hiya, Caroline!" Mia said excitedly.

"Guess what," Caroline said. "My aunt and uncle are going to watch us dance today!"

"Your aunt is so good," Mia said smiling at Toshio and Chiaki who were now warming up in the front of the room. "And so pretty."

"I wish I was as pretty as her," Caroline said as she sat down and began doing her stretches.

"You're very pretty," Mia said loyally.

Caroline grinned at her as Katie came back out from the partition. She saw Mia standing by her and glared at the two of them, then turned her back and began warming up by herself.

One stupid test and she couldn't even go out for pizza with her best friend. It was so unfair, she thought. She bet if Ashley had wanted to go out for pizza, her parents would probably fall over themselves to make sure that's what she got.

"Katie I'm going to head out," Nick came over to his daughter. "Your mum's coming to pick you up all right?"

"You can't stay?" Katie asked him.

"I've got a meeting with my manager," Nick smiled at her.

"Oh," Katie said frowning.

"I'll stay next time, I promise," Nick said. "Love you Katie bear."

"I love you too, Daddy," Katie said softly.

Nick chucked her under the chin before leaving the studio.

"Come on, Emma," Jon said carrying her back over to where Allie stood.

"Hi you two," Allison said grinning at them. "Great dancing, by the way, Jon."

"Thank you dear," Jon grinned back. "I've improved haven't I?"

"Just a little," Allison teased. "How'd Daddy do, Em?"

"Good," Emma bounced happily in his arms.

"I kind of promised Caroline we'd go out for pizza when we're done here," Jon told his wife. "Sound good to you and my boy?"

"Sure," Allison agreed. "I'm hungry and so is he..." she patted her slightly protruding stomach.

Jon grinned. "We'll see what we can do about that then. Your mum was telling me what a great job you've been doing."

Allison smiled. "I love working here- it's perfect because we don't have to hire a sitter."

"Emma likes it too," Jon said tickling her side.

Emma laughed. "Daddy's silly!"

"Daddy's tired," Jon said. "I was wondering, if you would like to go to the sweets shop with me so we can buy something nice for your mum and sister? And maybe for you....since you've been such a good girl today? What do you say? We'll be back in time so you can dance, I promise."

"Em good girl!" Emma said. "Right Mummy?"

"Right," Allison said kissing her cheek. "Make sure Daddy gets Mummy lots of chocolate, okay?"

"Kay Mummy," Emma hugged her.

"We'll be back soon," Jon said giving his wife a kiss. "Is Em's jacket in the office?"

"Yes," Allison answered. "Come on, I've got a few more things to do while Caroline has class."

"Mind if we warm up with you, Katie?" Caroline asked tapping her friend on the shoulder.

Katie shrugged. "If you want..."

"We want to," Caroline smiled at her best friend.

"I can't wait until we go to Brighton," Katie said. "My mummy bought me this pretty pink swimming costume. It's kind of like the one you had last summer, remember?"

"I still have that one," Caroline said. "We should wear them together!"

"You guys are so lucky to go to the beach," Mia said. "I haven't been to the beach in ages."

"It's so much fun," Caroline told her. "You should come with us sometime. We could ask your mummy and daddy."

"She can't go," Katie said hastily. "She's not a member of the family."

"Well neither is Alexa, but she gets to come because she's best friends with Saffy," Caroline pointed out.

"Well yeah but--" Katie began.

"It's okay, Caroline," Mia said softly. "I'm going to Disney World this summer."

"You are?" Caroline asked, her eyes wide.

Mia nodded. "Me, my mummy and daddy and Aunt Mary and Uncle Tim and my cousins. So, even if I wanted to go, I couldn't."

"I want to go to Disney World," Caroline said wistfully. "You get to meet all the princesses!"

"I'll make sure to bring you back something," Mia promised. "You too, Katie."

"Really?" Katie asked. "You'd bring me something?"

Mia nodded. "We're friends, right?"

Katie didn't answer for a moment. "Sure," she finally said.

Mia smiled at her. "I'll get you both something really nice. I promise."

"And will you tell Jasmine I said hello?" Caroline asked.

"I will," Mia said giggling.

"Okay girls," Cho clapped for attention.

Caroline, Katie and Mia joined the rest of their classmates.

"Today, we have a special treat," Cho said. "You girls remember my daughter, Chiaki and her husband, Toshio, right?"

The girls nodded excitedly and blushed when Toshio grinned at them.

"They're going to help us today," Cho told the girls. "And I think I've persuaded them to dance for us before we get started. What do you think about that?"

The girls all applauded enthusiastically. "They showed me the mambo before everyone came in," Caroline whispered to Mia.

"That's so cool," Mia whispered back.

"Okay ladies," Chiaki said smiling at them. "You are going to have to bear with me. This is my first time back dancing. Luckily, I have a great partner...."

"Don't let her fool you girls," Toshio winked. "Chiaki's a wonderful dancer and we all know it don't we?"

The class clapped enthusiastically. Cho started the music and Toshio bowed to his wife. "Shall we?"

"We shall," Chiaki placed her hand in his.

The girls in the class stared transfixed as they watched Toshio and Chiaki dance. They oohed and aahed when Toshio effortlessly lifted his wife.

"They're so good," Mia whispered admiringly.

"They're the best," Caroline whispered back.

Katie watched, still feeling a bit sore that Chiaki would tell her she danced wrong.

Once Toshio and Chiaki finished, the class stood up and applauded.

"Thank you," Chiaki said smiling at them. "You girls just need to remember that you can't get anywhere without lots of practise. That's how Toshio and I were able to dance with our company."

"Can we be in the company someday?" a little blonde girl asked.

"If you work really hard and listen to my mum," Chiaki replied with a wink at her mother. "She knows what she's talking about."

"Thank you," Cho said with a grin.

"Does anyone else have any questions?" Toshio asked.

"Can we dance with you?" another young girl asked boldly.

Toshio chuckled. "Of course you can."

"Okay girls," Cho laughed. "Up to the barre please- and get ready for warm up exercises."

"Can I lead them through the positions?" Chiaki asked.

"Sure," Cho agreed. "Ready?"

Chiaki nodded. "I didn't realise how much I'd missed this. Thanks, Mum."

"Anytime love," Cho smiled at her daughter.

109. 109!!!

AN: Here we give you some more of Gabriel- this time meeting some more family members. Also we have some very annoying Parvati ;)

Next chapter begins the big Brighton holiday! PLEASE, please PLEASE review!!!!

Despite it only having been four days, Gabriel was feeling much more at ease with Seamus and Lavender than he originally thought. But his nervousness was back as they had just arrived in Ireland and were minutes away from meeting his paternal grandparents for the first time.

"So you really think they'll like me?" he asked.

"They're going to love you," Lavender said turning around to look at her stepson.

"I hope so," Gabriel said as they waited for Seamus to come back with their train tickets. Since he couldn't do magic they travelled the normal way to Declan and Rose Finnigan's house in Northern Ireland.

"You never told us how last night went," Lavender said smiling at him. "Did you have fun with Saffron and Alexa?"

"Yeah it was cool," Gabriel blushed slightly at the mention of Saffron's best friend. "We saw Rear Window downtown."

"One of your dad's favourites," Lavender said. "Hitchcock's one of his idols."

"The guy was pretty amazing," Gabriel said, shifting his bag to his other hand. "So um... what are they like? My grandparents that is..."

"Rose will probably talk your ear off," Lavender said. "And Declan's a little more stand-offish, but he loves golf."

"What do you mean by stand-offish?" Gabriel asked, nervous again.

"He's sort of reserved," Lavender replied. She smiled reassuringly at him. "And he's always wanted a grandchild."

"Oh," Gabriel relaxed a bit. "Okay."

Seamus returned with their tickets. "Here we are."

"What platform do we have to head for?" Lavender asked her husband.

"Seven," Seamus replied. "Lav, do you think I might have a quick word?"

"Sure," Lavender answered.

"We'll be right back," Seamus told his son.

"No need to go anywhere," Gabriel said. "I need to go the bathroom anyway."

"It's just right over there," Seamus said pointing a few feet away.

"Okay," Gabriel ambled away.

"What's going on?" Lavender asked her husband.

"I didn't tell my folks why we were coming to see them this weekend," Seamus replied sheepishly.

"Seamus," Lavender crossed her arms. "You told us you had rung them about Gabriel. And I already told your mum we had a surprise for them."

"It wasn't something I thought I could tell them over the phone," Seamus said. "And I didn't want to say anything in front of Gabe because he'd just take it the wrong way."

"He might have before," Lavender argued. "He's been a lot more reasonable since that one day..."

"I know," Seamus said. "I really can't wait for Mum and Dad to meet him. They're going to love him."

"They definitely will," Lavender assured him.

"And I brought the baby book and photo album that Margaret let me borrow," Seamus said. "I don't want to give it back, Lavender. It's all I have of his childhood."

"We can use magic to copy it," Lavender said. "I bet Hermione knows a spell we can do on it."

Seamus squeezed her hand. "Thank you."

"Love you," Lavender pecked him on the lips.

A photographer came over and snapped their picture and Seamus groaned.

"When do you start working on your next film, Mr. Finnigan?" the photographer asked as he took another picture.

"I've already started," Seamus said, backing away.

"Will your wife be working on this one with you?" the photographer asked.

"No," Lavender replied. "I have other plans this holiday, thank you."

"What brings you to Ireland?" another reporter was scribbling on a pad of paper.

"Family," Seamus replied shortly. "Now if you'll excuse us..."

"Hey Dad--" Gabriel came up to them but stopped short.

The photographer looked surprised for a moment but he looked back and forth between Seamus and the young man and a grin spread across his face. "You have a son?"

"I prefer to keep my family life out of the media," Seamus said coolly.

The photographer grinned. "Looks like you don't have much of a choice." He turned and aimed his camera at Gabriel. "This is huge news. Smile for the camera lad."

Seamus blocked the photographer's lens. "Lav take him to the train will you please?" he asked.

Lavender nodded and took Gabriel by the hand. "Come on, Gabriel."

"Don't take pictures of my family without my permission," Seamus said angrily.

The man laughed. "The story's going to come out one way or the other. Who's the kid's mum?"

Seamus saw that his wife and son were boarding the train. "No comment."

"You can't keep your bastard son out of the news forever," the photographer said trying to pull away from Seamus' vies like grip on his arm.

"Don't you dare call him a bastard," Seamus glared.

"Tetchy, aren't we?" the photographer asked.

"Leave me alone," Seamus said coldly.

"Enjoy your stay," the photographer asked chuckling as he walked away.

Seamus was shaking his head as he got on the train. "Sorry," he said as he went into the compartment where Lavender and Gabriel had settled.

"I'm sorry, Dad," Gabriel said. "I didn't know..."

"It's all right," Seamus said. "I just don't want you getting any bad notoriety from this. The press likes to give famous people a hard time about... well everything."

"I guess this would have been avoided if I was still calling you Mr. Finnigan," Gabriel mused.

"Nonsense," Seamus said. "I'd rather you call me Dad and have the press find out about it."

Gabriel smiled. "Thanks."

Seamus clapped his son's shoulder. "Are you hungry?"

"Yeah," Gabriel replied. "Starving actually."

"We can go get something to eat in the dining car," Seamus said. "Lav?"

"Sure," Lavender agreed.

"I don't think they have sushi or tofu," Gabriel teased her.

"You're as bad as your father," Lavender said swatting him on the shoulder.

"It's a family trait," Gabriel laughed.

"You're outnumbered now, Lav," Seamus said grinning at her. "Finally!"

"Laugh it up while you still can," Lavender said loftily.

The rest of the journey went by uneventfully. They managed to enjoy a nice brunch in the dining car and Seamus told his son more about his grandparents. The train finally pulled into the station and Gabriel felt nervous yet again.

"My parents live just up the road here," Seamus said as they left the small train station.

Gabriel nodded. "Walking distance."

"I grew up here," Seamus told his son. "I never left the town until I was eleven and went off to Hogwarts."

"It's really nice," Gabriel said. "And quiet."

"Too quiet for me," Lavender said. "But it's nice to get away here for a few days. The media never bothers us here."

Gabriel smiled and walked up the drive to his grandparents' house. It wasn't big and for some reason, he was surprised. He figured Seamus' parents would live in a big mansion like their son.

"Is this the same house you grew up in?" Gabriel asked.

"Aye," Seamus grinned. "That was my room right up there," he pointed to a window at the corner of the house. "You'll probably sleep in there."

Gabriel smiled and stood back so his father and stepmother could lead the way. Seamus didn't knock on the door and he held the door open for his wife and son.

Immediately, Gabriel heard voices coming from the kitchen.

"No, you cannot go and play a round of golf," a woman's voice said. "Your son is going to be here any minute, Declan."

"Seamus is always running late," a man's voice replied.

"You can play next weekend," the woman's voice said firmly. "This weekend you are going to spend time with your family, Declan."

"They're always like this," Lavender said putting an arm around Gabriel.

"Okay," he said, nervous again.

"Mum, Da," Seamus called out. "We're here."

The voices stopped and two older people came into the hallway. "Seamus," the woman beamed.

"Hiya, Mum," Seamus said stepping forward to give her a hug. "Something smells delicious."

"Lemon chicken, just the way you like it," Rose kissed her son's cheek. "And Lavender, you look lovely as always!" neither of them had noticed Gabriel, who was standing behind Lavender.

"Thanks, Rose," Lavender said giving her a hug. "So do you."

"And who's this?" Declan asked finally taking notice of Gabriel.

Gabriel felt as if he was going to be sick. Hadn't his father told them?

"This is the main reason we're here," Seamus placed his hands on Gabriel's shoulders. "This is my son, Gabriel."

Rose looked at him as if she hadn't heard him correctly. "I beg your pardon?"

"This is my son," Seamus repeated.

"When did you have a son?" Declan asked staring at Gabriel.

Rose hit him hard on the arm. "Declan!"

"He's 17," Seamus held onto Gabriel who was about to make a move to bolt from the house. "His mother was Samantha Boyd- I was with her for awhile after I went to the States to work."

Rose smiled softly at her grandson. "You---you look just like Seamus when he was your age. Oh!"

"He's got his mother's eyes," Seamus said fondly.

Rose started to sob and Gabriel looked helplessly at Seamus.

"It's a good thing," Seamus reassured him. "She cries when she's happy."

"Okay," Gabriel said, still nervous. His grandfather was still sizing him up and down.

"How long have you known about this?" Declan asked his son in a hushed voice.

"A few days," Seamus told his father. "Dad there's no doubt about it okay?"

"He's so tall," Rose said her voice breaking. "And handsome!" She put her arms around Gabriel and hugged him tightly.

"His full name is Gabriel Seamus Boyd," Lavender told them, her own eyes welling up with tears.

"Gabriel this is so lovely," Rose said, her voice shaking. "I've always wanted a grandchild."

"It's nice to finally meet you both," Gabriel said hugging her back.

Declan still looked slightly suspicious but he put his hand out to his grandson. "You do look like your father," he conceded, smiling.

"So I've been told," Gabriel said smiling nervously back at him.

"It's good to meet you son," Declan said, his voice a bit warmer.

"Thank you, sir," Gabriel said.

"Samantha did a great job raising him," Seamus said proudly.

"It certainly seems so," Rose wiped her eyes. "Come in, you all must be starving!"

"Is he---you know---like you and your Mum?" Declan asked his son.

"No," Seamus shook his head.

Declan nodded. "Well, I'll just get your bags and bring them up to your rooms."

"I'll help," Seamus volunteered. "Lav, why don't you and Gabe go on in the kitchen with Mum?"

"All right," Lavender smiled at her husband before leading Gabriel into the kitchen.

"Da, I know this is sudden," Seamus began to explain.

"Why didn't you tell us?" Declan asked.

"I didn't know myself until a few days ago," Seamus replied. "And I didn't think this was something I could just tell you over the phone."

"You didn't know?" Declan asked. "How could you not have known? Who is the boy's mother and why wouldn't she--"

"Sam's dead," Seamus said bluntly. "She had cancer and she died three months ago."

"I--I'm sorry," Declan said. "You--you say you didn't know until a few days ago---she didn't tell you? How could she keep this from you?"

"I don't know Da," Seamus said wearily. "We hadn't spoken or seen each other in years, not since we broke up."

"And the boy---Gabriel, he didn't know?" Declan asked.

"Not until Sam told him right before she died," Seamus left Gabriel's suitcase in his old bedroom. "He said it took him awhile to decide whether or not he wanted to come and search me out."

"Brave boy," Declan said admiringly.

"Yeah," Seamus said. "He's a good kid Da- he's going to be a doctor. Valedictorian of his class and heading for USC this fall."

Declan nodded and smiled. "We'll finally have that doctor in the family."

"Because a big time director doesn't cut it?" Seamus joked.

Declan laughed. "Not really."

"Come on Da, are you still angry I wouldn't give you a part in the Bond movie?" Seamus teased.

"I certainly could have done a great job as a villain," Declan said. "Nepotism should be alive and well, son."

"If you say so," Seamus groaned as he lifted his wife's suitcase onto the bed. "I think she packed the kitchen sink."

"She's always been a little high maintenance," Declan said. "But that's what we love about her, right?"

"Exactly," Seamus laughed.

"I brought a photo album that his maternal grandparents let me borrow," Seamus said. "And I have his baby book."

"Your mum will love that," Declan said.

"The first couple of days were a little hard because he still felt a little angry," Seamus told his father. "Really angry, actually. But we talked it out and I think he, Lavender and I have found some common ground."

"That's great," Declan said. "I look forward to getting to know him. Does he golf?"

"I don't know," Seamus admitted. "But he's really into baseball and football---the American kind."

Declan nodded. "What have you told him about... being magical?"

"Everything," Seamus replied. "He didn't believe us at first."

"I didn't believe your mum either," Declan laughed. "She had to show me a few tricks."

"And you've been scared of her ever since," Seamus teased.

"You've seen what she can do," Declan joked as they went downstairs.

Rose beamed at them as they went into the kitchen. "He's going to be a doctor, Declan! And he wants to work with children!"

"That's what Seamus told me," Declan replied. "That's quite admirable of you Gabriel."

"I said to myself the first time I saw him, he's an intelligent lad," Rose said proudly.

Gabriel flushed. "Thanks," he said.

"The important thing is do you golf," Declan said sitting down beside him at the table.

"Golf?" Gabriel asked. "I never have..."

"My kind of golfer," Declan said grinning at him. "You will go out with Seamus and me tomorrow morning."

"I told you that you wouldn't be playing this weekend," Rose reminded him.

"Rosie," Declan said. "I've got to teach my grandson how to do the best sport of all. Especially if he's going to be a doctor- do you know how often doctors go golfing?"

"You sound just like my Uncle Robert," Lavender said laughing. "You haven't had a good partner since."

"He was a good man," Declan said nodding. "And a great golfer."

"I really miss him still," Lavender said. "I can't believe it's almost been a year."

"How are Harry and Hermione and the kids doing with that?" Rose asked. "Saffron was so close to him."

"They're fine," Lavender said. "Aunt Elinore's had a bit of difficulty but she's been doing much better lately."

"I should call on her," Rose said. "Since school is out now, I have more time on my hands."

"She'd probably love that Rose," Lavender smiled.

"Saffron's a lot of fun," Gabriel said. "We went to see Rear Window last night."

"And she's a great golfer," Declan said.

"As if that's the only thing that matters," Rose said rolling her eyes.

"She is," Declan protested. "She's as good as her grandfather."

"I hope you're all hungry," Rose said bringing over the main course. "Lemon chicken."

"That smells fantastic," Seamus said ravenously. "I've been dreaming about this..."

"Dreaming about food, Dad?" Gabriel asked.

Rose let out a sob and covered her mouth with her apron.

"What's wrong?" Lavender asked.

"He called Seamus 'dad'," Rose choked out.

Seamus put an arm around his mother. "It's okay Mum... I like hearing it too."

"That's the sweetest thing," Rose said sobbing.

Declan looked amused while Gabriel twisted his napkin between his hands.

"What are your other grandparents like?" Declan asked. "I hope your other Gran isn't as emotional at this one."

"They're really great," Gabriel said. "My mum and I moved in with them about four years back."

"What does your mother do?" Rose asked.

"Before she died, she worked in a hotel," Gabriel said. "She, um, started out as a waitress and she wanted to move up to the front desk, but it, um, didn't work out."

"Sam was a natural when it came to people," Seamus said.

"I don't remember you mentioning a Samantha to me," Rose said thoughtfully. "Of course, once you moved to the States, we hardly heard from you."

"I was with Sam a while back," Seamus said. "We were together about a year."

"And you didn't know about your son," Rose said wiping her eyes with her napkin.

"Not until a few days ago," Seamus shared a look with his wife. "But now that things have changed, I think Gabriel's going to fit in quite well."

"He'll be moving in with you and Lavender, of course," Rose said smiling at them.

"No, ma'am," Gabriel said uncomfortably. "I'm going to live with my grandparents still."

"But--" Rose began.

"It's probably best that he stays with them," Seamus said. "Sometimes I go days without being at home, as does Lav. Plus he'll be going to college in the fall- and I want him where he's most comfortable. He knows he's always welcome at our home."

"And he has a full scholarship to USC," Lavender chimed in.

"Well he won't need that," Rose said. "You and Lavender will pay---"

"I don't want them to," Gabriel said quietly. "I want to make my own way."

"I think that's very respectable," Declan said, nodding.

"But if he ever does need help, he knows where he can go," Seamus said.

"Right," Lavender said with a smile.

Seamus' mobile phone began to ring. "I thought I'd turned it off. Hello? Taryn, hold on, slow down....aye. No, we ran into him at the train station...no, I didn't rough him up..."

"Real life rears it's ugly head," Lavender sighed. "We ran into some reporters back at the main station when we got here."

"Oh no," Rose said.

"I really don't think it's any of their business," Seamus said into the phone. "Okay, Taryn. I'll draft a statement and email it to you tonight. How's that?"

Declan laughed. "Smacking photographers around again?"

"They deserved it," Lavender said defensively.

"He didn't do anything really bad," Gabriel spoke up. "Just told them to go away. They were really persistent."

Seamus clicked off his phone. "Apparently, this has hit the news. They don't know Gabriel's name or anything about the situation, but Taryn says they're calling non-stop."

"Figures," Lavender said. "They don't bother you for months and then they act like this is the news of the century."

"Scandal sells," Seamus said with a shrug.

"I'm sorry," Gabriel said. "I didn't mean to be a scandal..."

"You aren't," Seamus said quickly. "And you have no need to apologise. I am proud of you, Gabriel. I'm proud to call you my son. And I don't care who knows it. I just don't want them taking photographs of you and prying into your life."

Gabriel nodded, a hint of a smile on his face. "Thanks Dad."

"You're welcome, Son," Seamus said grinning at him.

"Rose!" Declan said shaking his head. "You're quite the crier, you know that?"

"I'm sorry," Rose wiped her eyes. "I've just been waiting for this since Seamus got married- I'm sorry Lavender, I don't mean that the way it sounds--"

"It's okay, Rose," Lavender assured her.

"I can't get over how much you look like Seamus either," Rose sat down.

"Mum, I'm sure he's getting tired of hearing it," Seamus said with a laugh.

Lavender got up and a few moments later returned with a framed photograph. "This is your dad when he was around 17."

"Wow," Gabriel said. The man in the photograph could very well have been him.

"Told you," Rose said proudly. "Spitting image, you are."

"Yeah," Gabriel said. "Can... can I have this?"

"Of course you can," Rose said smiling at him.

"Thanks," Gabriel smiled back. "I want to show this to my Gran- my other grandmother."

"That would be lovely," Rose said.

Gabriel smiled again. "This chicken is fantastic."

"Best cook in the village," Declan said proudly. "Magic or Muggle."

"I can vouch for that," Seamus added.

"Was your mother a good cook?" Rose asked.

"Yeah," Gabriel nodded. "Dad knows about her pancakes."

"She made great vegetable soup too," Seamus remembered. "Used to make it for me when I was sick."

"Me too," Gabriel said smiling at him.

"I used to say it would kick the sick right out of me," Seamus chuckled.

"That's what she said to me when I was sick," Gabriel said. "And she'd get this wistful look on her face..."

"Now we know why," Lavender said softly.

"Yeah," Gabriel said nodding.

"I don't mean to pry," Rose was once again tearing up. "But how are you dealing with all this Lavender?"

"Well, it was hard at first, of course," Lavender said honestly. "But Gabriel is a part of our family. And I'm glad he's found Seamus."

"You're a lovely girl," Rose said. "I've always thought so."

"She's been really great," Gabriel said looking across the table at her.

Lavender smiled at him. "I'm happy you're here with us Gabriel."

"Me too," Gabriel said.

*** *** ***

Maddie grinned at the woman behind the counter.

"Love, you have to make up your mind," the cafeteria worker said grinning back at her.

"Everything looks so good," Maddie said with a giggle. "It's hard to choose!"

"You say that every day," the other woman smiled fondly.

"That's because everything ALWAYS looks so good," Maddie said. "Okay, I'll take the beef stew, but could I also have just a sample of the pasta salad, please?"

The woman winked at her. "Anything for you love."

"Thanks," Maddie said smiling back at her. "How's your husband doing, June? He's made a full recovery, right?"

"He's doing just fine Madeline," June gave her a heaping spoonful of the pasta salad. "Back at work starting next week."

"Fifty years together," Maddie said admiringly. "That's really something, June."

"And I hope there will be fifty more," June said. "I hope you and your young man have all the happiness me and my Herb have had."

"Me too," Maddie said. "And I expect you and Herb to be dancing at our reception."

"With bells on," June promised. "You're so sweet to invite an old couple like us."

"You've been sweet to me ever since I started here," Maddie said. "I couldn't imagine not having you there."

"Thank you love," June smiled at her. "Lunch is on me today all right?"

"June-" Maddie started to protest.

"I can't hear you," June teased. "Go eat before your hour is up."

"Okay," Maddie said. "Thanks, June."

She was looking forward to her lunch even though she'd be eating alone. Ethan was out of town on a case and wouldn't be back until the weekend.

She was halfway through her meal when someone plunked their tray down across from her. "How on earth do you manage to eat this much?" Bree smiled at her. "If I ate like you I'd weigh about six stones more than I do now."

Maddie laughed. "It's the Weasley metabolism."

"Care to pass some along?" Bree joked as she sat down.

"Sure," Maddie said grinning at her. There was something different about her friend, but she couldn't put her finger on what exactly. "What's got you in such a good mood, Bree?"

Bree laughed. "I just had the best weekend of my life is all."

"Details," Maddie demanded with a grin.

"Well," Bree grinned even wider. "I should think this would speak for itself." she held out her left hand.

Maddie gasped. "Bree! You're engaged!"

"Mason asked me on Sunday," Bree gushed.

"That ring is gorgeous!" Maddie exclaimed. "Congratulations!"

"Thanks," Bree said happily. "I don't think I've stopped smiling since."

"How did he propose?" Maddie asked eagerly.

"We were on a picnic," Bree said dreamily. "Right there in the park... and we were just sort of lying back together and looking at the clouds and then all of a sudden I felt him slip the ring onto my finger."

"That's so romantic," Maddie gushed.

"Isn't it?" Bree laughed. "And then he said that he knew we hadn't been together as long as most couples, but he knew he loved me more than anything and wanted me to be his wife." she sighed. "There was absolutely no possible way I could refuse... it was really the sort of proposal every girl dreams of."

Maddie smiled. "I'm so happy for the two of you especially after all that happened with Jared. I'm glad that you were able to put things back together."

"Me too," Bree agreed. "And you and Ethan too of course- it didn't take long for you two to work everything back out."

"I just wish I'd realised what he was up to before all of this happened," Maddie said. "And I'm really glad that we're all friends."

"So am I," Bree said. "Oh- and I got the invitation to your wedding- Mason and I would love to come. Thank you so much for inviting us!"

"It's just a few months away," Maddie said unable to hide her excitement. "I can't believe it's almost here."

"I really am happy for you both," Bree told her honestly.

"Thanks Bree," Maddie said. "I'm happy for you and Mason, too. Things worked out for all of us."

"Definitely," Bree nodded. "I've never been so happy- not even with Ethan. I guess everyone really does have a soul mate you know?"

"I think so," Maddie agreed.

"What have you and Ethan been up to lately?" Bree asked. "We all haven't gone out together in ages."

"We're both working really hard," Maddie said. "Trying to clear up some loose ends so we can take some time off before the wedding. My sisters have me on a tight schedule."

"They're wedding organisers right?" Bree asked.

Maddie nodded. "I may be completely biased, but they're the best in the business."

The brunette nodded. "Perhaps if I need help I'll look into hiring them for my own wedding."

"I can give you their card, if you like," Maddie said.

"That'd be lovely," Bree smiled at her. "I don't want anything big- just a simple, quiet ceremony with close friends and family."

"Will you and Mason be getting married here or back in the States?" Maddie asked.

"We're not sure yet," Bree said thoughtfully.

"Still early days, right?" Maddie asked before taking a bite of her stew.

"Right," Bree replied.

Maddie groaned as she saw Parvati Patil walking toward them. The older woman had become less of pain over the past few months, but she still had her moments.

"Madeline," Parvati said setting her tray down. "I was hoping I'd find you."

"Yes?" Maddie raised an eyebrow.

"Have you seen this?" Parvati asked handing her today's copy of The Daily Prophet. "I didn't know Seamus had a son!"

"I knew about it," Maddie replied. "His wife is designing my wedding gown and we're close friends of the family."

"Who is this boy?" Parvati asked. "They just said he was an American."

"Do you really think that's any of your business?" Bree asked the older woman. "It seems to me like Mr. Finnigan wants to keep this private."

"I don't believe this concerns you," Parvati said coolly. "Madeline--"

"Bree's right," Maddie stood up. "What's going on with Seamus, Lavender and their family is their business."

"I am one of Seamus' oldest and dearest friends," Parvati said. "And I just want to know what's going on. They're out of town apparently."

"You are not one of his friends," Maddie stated. "And if you were, then you'd certainly know what's going on."

"Maddie," Bree said standing up as well. "It's such a nice day. How about we eat our lunch outside?"

"That sounds good to me," Maddie agreed.

"Madeline---" Parvati called after her.

"She's certainly....," Bree said searching for the right word. "Um...."

"That woman drives me absolutely mad sometimes," Maddie shook her head.

"You handled her pretty well," Bree said.

"I suppose I've gotten used to it," Maddie replied. "You know, it feels odd for me not to like somebody- I normally don't have a problem with anyone. But the first day she was here she insulted my mentor, not to mention the things she said to my mother. And people who insult my family really make me angry."

"Well, I hope I always remain on your good side," Bree said smiling at her.

"I don't think you have anything to worry about," Maddie laughed.

Bree led the way over to one of the picnic tables. "Lovely day, isn't it?"

"That it is," Maddie agreed. "I just wish Ethan and I could go to Brighton with the family."

"Too busy with the wedding plans?" Bree asked.

"Well we're taking a two week honeymoon," Maddie replied. "So that's our holiday time- we're going to try and go there on the weekends though."

"It's really great that your families are so close," Bree said. "I've only met Mason's parents twice. And he has an entire extended family that only know me as the proper English girl."

"You are a proper English girl," Maddie teased her.

Bree laughed. "Yes, I am."

"I'm sure they'll love you once you spend more time with them." Maddie reassured her. "After all, you're going to be part of their family soon enough."

"True," Bree said. "I'm still nervous though."

"Don't be," Maddie said. "You're a great person Bree."

"Thanks, Maddie," Bree said. "Merlin, who would have ever thought that you and I would be sitting here like this? Friends?"

The blonde laughed. "The dreaded ex syndrome."

"We're supposed to hate each other," Bree said with a laugh.

"I've been told I'm hard to dislike," Maddie joked.

"You are," Bree agreed.

"I think the same about you," Maddie told her. "I can see why Ethan wanted to stay friends with you."

"I was hurt when things ended the way they did," Bree admitted. "But I missed having him in my life."

Maddie nodded. "I can see why... I think he missed you too."

Bree shook her head. "I'm not so sure about that."

"No he did," Maddie said. "That first day we bumped into you on the street- he told me later that he was glad you two had talked."

Bree smiled. "I'm glad that he found you, Maddie. You've made him really happy. That's all that I want for him."

"Thank you," Maddie said.

"And wherever Mason and I decide to get married, I do hope you and Ethan will come," Bree said.

"We'll be there," Maddie promised.

"Great," Bree said smiling at her. "Pasta salad and stew? That's quite a combo, Maddie."

Maddie laughed. "I can't help it- isn't it ironic that the Ministry cafeteria makes the best pasta salad in the world?"

"It is," Bree agreed with a laugh.

"Want some?" Maddie offered. "June gave me a ton."

"Sure," Bree replied. "Thanks."

"Ethan's out of town until the weekend," Maddie said conversationally. "I hate it when he's gone."

"Ahh," Bree said nodding. "The life of an Auror."

"Sarah's rather in the same boat," Maddie said. "I mean, since Justin and Ethan are partners and always off on assignment together and all."

"She is," Bree said. "But at least you aren't writing him letters in that baby talk she and Justin continue to do."

Maddie laughed. "That drives Ethan up the wall. He's always complaining about it at home."

"Speaking of home how is the new pixie?" Bree asked.

"Blue's great," Maddie giggled. "I have pictures of him."

"Let me see!" Bree said enthusiastically.

She pulled a strip of photos from her bag. "RJ was over a few days ago keeping me company and he took them."

"How cute!" Bree gushed. "I never in a million years would have thought you could have a pixie for a pet."

"I had one when I was younger," Maddie said. "I'm sure Ethan's told you about Dolly at some point or another."

Bree nodded. "Seems to me that Blue loves you a lot."

"I certainly like to think so," Maddie grinned. "But the thing with pixies is that they're so misunderstood. They're mischievous, but they can tell when someone truly cares about them."

"Sounds a bit like Ethan," Bree teased.

Maddie laughed. "I think you're right."

Bree laughed when she saw a picture that was a little out of focus of Maddie with a red-haired boy. "Let me guess, Blue got the camera on this one?"

"That was right before RJ started chasing him around trying to get it back," Maddie shook her head with a smile. "That's the camera his girlfriend Alexa gave him so he's rather protective of it."

"And did he get it back?" Bree asked.

"Oh yes," Maddie nodded. "After about a half hour."

Bree laughed. "That's too funny."

"It certainly makes life a little more amusing," Maddie finished her stew.

"Is he getting along with Ethan now?" Bree asked.

Maddie nodded as she pulled the rest of her pasta salad in front of her. "He'll sit on his knee and let Ethan play with him when I'm not around."

"They're starting to get along then?"

"The other night I came home and Ethan was asleep on the sofa- and Blue was curled up on his shoulder." Maddie said. "It was the most adorable thing I'd ever seen."

Bree smiled. "That's so sweet."

"It really was," Maddie said. "I only wish I had a picture of THAT."

"You'll have to try and catch them like that again," Bree said. She looked at her watch. "I'd better get back to work. I am so glad that we had a chance to catch up."

"Me too," Maddie said sincerely. "And I'm so happy for you and Mason."

"Thanks," Bree said smiling at her. "And if you need any help with the wedding, please let me know."

"Thanks," Maddie said. "I'll see you soon Bree."

"Bye, Maddie," Bree said picking up her tray and walking back inside.

"Madeline," Parvati passed Bree on her way out. "I think that was quite rude of you to just leave me in there--"

"And I think it's quite rude of you to interfere in something that doesn't concern you," Maddie interjected.

"But--" Parvati was at a loss for words. "Seamus is a friend..."

"And if he wanted you to know, I'm sure he'd have told you," Maddie said.

"I don't understand why you have to be so secretive," Parvati pouted like a young girl.

"I'm not being secretive," Maddie told her. "Parvati, this is something that Seamus and his family are going through. It doesn't concern me and it doesn't concern you."

"You know, I don't think we're going to be able to work together if you can't divulge me once in awhile," Parvati said crossing her arms.

"What am I supposed to divulge to you?" Maddie asked her.

"Things!" Parvati exclaimed, following Maddie back inside and down to their office.

"About my parents?" Maddie asked rolling her eyes.

"Ron Ron is quite a dear," Parvati said.

"My mother has always thought so," Maddie said brightly.

"I'm sure she has," Parvati said in a patronizing tone. "She did carry quite the torch for him at school."

"She ended up with him, didn't she?" Maddie asked, trying to keep her emotions in check. "You didn't."

"Madeline--" Parvati began.

"And that's what kills you, doesn't it?" Maddie asked interrupting her. "Seamus, Ron and even Uncle Harry all went on and managed to live their lives and have families of their own without you."

"That is completely uncalled for," Parvati said angrily.

"It's the truth," Maddie said. "I've sat here for months listening to you make comments about people I care about. I don't know what my Aunt Lavender did to make you shut up, but perhaps I should have a long talk with her about your curiosity..."

Parvati straightened up. "That's quite all right," she said coldly. "I won't bother you anymore."

"Thank you," Maddie said with a satisfied smile.

110. Chapter 110

AN: Well here begins the Brighton visit- this one goes on for a little while as we had so much to write :)

You Drew and Brian fans will like this chapter especially, and Saffron/Andrew get a nice appearance as well. And as always, RJ’s around to cause trouble LOL

Please, PLEASE, review! We rely on you guys’ feedback to know what you like and dislike! We’ll never not update if we don’t have a certain amount of reviews, we don’t like when authors do that, but we do hope you’ll spare an extra minute or two to let us know what you think!

Or perhaps we’ll just leave you guys with more awful cliffhangers ;)

Saffron pulled up the window sash and stuck her head outside, breathing in the clean sea air. "I am so excited to be back here," she called to Alexa, who was unpacking her suitcase.

"Me too," Alexa agreed. "It was really nice of your family to invite me again."

"I wouldn't have it any other way now," Saffron grinned at her. "And it's going to be so much fun- you, me, Andrew, RJ and Gabe will have to go out later."

"When is Gabriel getting here?" Alexa asked.

"Sometime this afternoon," Saffron answered. "I can't believe we're the first ones here. Usually Uncle Ron and Aunt Luna are here a few days before us."

"It'll be great to see RJ again," Alexa said. "I haven't seen him since that night we ran into him at that pub. I owled him a couple of times, but he only wrote back one or two lines."

Saffron shook her head. "He's probably just all excited about being on Puddlemere. I can't wait to tease him about Veronica."

"Don't be too hard on him," Alexa said giggling.

"Oh come on Lex, you have to admit it was one of the funniest things you'd ever seen." Saffron protested as she hung up some of her things in the closet.

Alexa pulled some shoes out of her suitcase. "It was, but I just don't like those blokes making him do stuff like that. He's not a big drinker, Saf."

"He was that night," Saffron snorted.

Alexa threw a pillow at her best friend. "You enjoyed that way too much."

"I can't help it," Saffron laughed. "You know if the shoe was on the other foot, he'd be doing the same to me."

"Probably," Alexa admitted. She walked over to the window to get a look at the view. "So, is Sean's family going to be here, too?"

"I think so," Saffron replied. "Do you think it'll be too weird? I mean, because last summer when we broke up we said we'd get back together this year and then everything happened with Andrew..."

"Did you tell Sean about Andrew?" Alexa asked

"I wrote a whole letter about him," Saffron blushed.

Alexa giggled. "You've got it bad."

"I can't help it!" Saffron grinned. "He's just so dreamy. And I can't stop thinking about him."

"And your parents like him which is a good thing," Alexa said smiling at her.

"Yeah," Saffron replied. "Oooh I can't wait until they get here!"

"Saffy! Alexa!" they heard Hermione call out to them. "Lavender and Gabriel are here!"

"Come on," Saffron grabbed her friend's hand. "I want to find out how his weekend in Ireland went."

Alexa nodded and followed Saffron out of the room.

Downstairs, Gabriel and Lavender were talking with Hermione. Harry had gone into town to get some groceries.

"Hi Gabe," Saffron bounced into the room.

Gabriel smiled when he saw them and he tried not to focus his attention on Alexa. She wore a pair of denim shorts and a white camisole top and looked even prettier than she had the last time he'd seen her.

"Hi Saffy," Gabriel said warmly. "Hi, Alexa."

"You look gorgeous both of you," Lavender said to the girls.

"Thanks Aunt Lav," Saffron hugged her as Alexa said a shy hello.

"How was Ireland?" Alexa asked Gabriel while Lavender spoke with Saffron.

"Good," he smiled at her. "My grandparents turned out to be really nice."

"I told you they'd love you," Alexa said smiling back at him.

"Right," Gabriel fidgeted a bit. "So um... how have you been?"

"Good," Alexa replied. "Working really hard at the bakery. I brought some fudge though. You should get some before RJ's family gets here. They'll devour it."

"Did you make it?" he asked.

"I did," Alexa said. "Does that make a difference?"

"Maybe," Gabriel grinned.

"Well, well," Lavender whispered to Saffron. "Looks like someone might have a crush."

Saffron turned to see where her best friend and Gabriel were talking animatedly about something.

"I don't know Aunt Lav," she said. "Alexa's pretty serious about RJ."

"Oh," Lavender said frowning. "That's right, I'd forgotten."

"And you're getting along?" Hermione asked her cousin. "The trip went well?"

Lavender nodded. "Declan and Rose loved him and it was nice to see them get to know each other."

"And how about the three of you?" Hermione inquired.

"We're good," Lavender replied. "We had a run-in with a photographer at the train station..."

"The news is out now," Saffron said quietly.

Lavender shook her head. "They really don't waste any time do they?"

Hermione shook her head. "At least you won't have to worry about it here."

"I hope not," Lavender said. "I really wish Seamus could join us though."

"He'll be here for weekends, right?" Hermione asked. "And his nights off?"

Lavender nodded. "He and Gabriel have been getting closer which is wonderful."

"Where do you want me to put our bags, Lavender?" Gabriel asked.

"You'll be sleeping in the second room on the left," Lavender said. "And I'm on the first floor here, just down the hall."

"I'll help you, Gabe," Alexa offered taking one of the bags from him.

Lavender grinned. "And that gives me time to get the low-down from Saffron on this boy she's been seeing. I am going to meet him, right?"

Hermione laughed. "He's coming with the Weasleys."

"He's fantastic," Saffron said plopping down on the sofa. "And funny, and cute and gorgeous!"

"You're biased," Lavender teased her.

"Just a little," Saffron blushed. "You're going to love him, Aunt Lav."

"Not as much as you apparently," Lavender ruffled Saffron's hair.

"I just wish Ethan and Maddie could be here too," Saffron said wistfully. "I love her dress, Aunt Lav. She looks amazing in it."

"You really outdid yourself," Hermione agreed.

"Thank you," Lavender grinned. "I just can't believe our little Ethan and Maddie are getting married in a few months."

"I still think Maddie needs her head examined," Saffron said. Puddles jumped up on the sofa and plopped his head down on Saffron's leg. "I think he missed me, don't you think, Mum?"

Hermione laughed. "Lavender, you should have seen that dog when she arrived home from Hogwarts."

"I bet he was all over the place," Lavender scratched the puppy's head.

"He was," Saffron giggled. "It was so cute."

"Hasn't left her side since she's been back," Hermione said fondly.

"He's my baby," Saffron pressed her lips to the top of Puddles' head and was rewarded by several sloppy kisses.

Lavender laughed. "This almost makes me want to get a dog."

"You don't need a dog, you have Seamus," Ron said grinning at her as he walked into the house.

"Ron," Lavender grinned back. "I think I almost missed you."

"Ah, it's the Evil Stepmother!" Ron said dramatically.

"Ronald!" Luna said hitting him on the arm. "Don't say that!"

"We know his foot permanently lives in his mouth," Lavender laughed.

"Where's RJ and Andrew?" Saffron jumped off the sofa.

"Right here," Andrew said coming in with their bags. Saffron nearly knocked him to the floor as she threw her arms around him.

"I missed you," Saffron hugged him fiercely.

"I missed you too," Andrew said giving her a chaste kiss since her mother was in the room. "You look beautiful."

"Thanks," Saffron grinned at him. "I'm so excited you're here."

"I have loads to tell you about Wimbourne," Andrew said.

"I can't wait to hear it," Saffron took his hand. "But I have to introduce you to my aunt and my cousin first."

"Great," Andrew said.

RJ walked in behind them. "Where's Lex?"

"Helping Gabe with their bags," Saffron said. "Did you pack your dress Veronica? I was thinking I might be able to borrow it some evening while we're here."

RJ stared at her. "What?"

Saffron laughed. "Come on, you can't tell me you don't remember your night out with Puddlemere Veronica."

"Andrew, your girlfriend's gone mad," RJ said to his friend. "I always knew this day would come."

"Shut up RJ," Saffron said as Puddles whined for attention. "You're the one walking around London in a dress. Alexa, Gabe and I all saw you."

"I haven't seen you since that day at my flat," RJ said. "And who's Gabe?"

"My cousin," Saffron rolled her eyes. "Seamus's son."

"Right," RJ said nodding. "I look forward to meeting--"

His words were cut off as he saw Alexa walking downstairs with another boy. She was laughing at something he'd said.

"Lexie!" RJ called out.

"RJ!" Alexa exclaimed, a huge grin appearing on her face.

Gabriel watched as Alexa ran toward RJ and gave him a big hug.

"You know I just might think you missed me," RJ teased.

"Maybe just a little," Alexa laughed.

Saffron took Andrew's hand and led him over to the sofa where her mother and Lavender were sitting.

"Aunt Lavender," Saffron said. "Gabriel, I'd like you both to meet Andrew Kirke."

"Nice to finally meet you Andrew," Lavender shook his hand. "Saffron's hardly talked about anything else."

Andrew grinned. "My mum thinks I don't know how to talk about anything else but Saffy."

"So this is YOUR Andrew right?" Gabriel teased Saffron. "At least, that's what you called him that night we were all out together."

"Is that so?" Andrew nudged his girlfriend. He extended his hand to Gabriel. "Nice to meet you, mate."

"You too," Gabriel said with a grin.

"And I'm RJ Weasley," RJ said to the other boy.

"I know," Gabriel said. "I met you the other night at the pub."

"You did?" RJ asked.

"You were wearing a dress," Gabriel smiled.

"You need to share something with us, son?" Ron asked RJ.

"I don't know what they're talking about," RJ protested. "I really don't!"

"You remember anything about that weekend with your new team mates?" Alexa asked him.

"We went out for a few drinks," RJ said. "They told me they took care of me."

"They sure did," Saffron snickered.

"Ronald Weasley Junior," Luna said folding her arms. "You care to explain yourself?"

"Not really," RJ said sheepishly.

"We saw you at the pub with your team mates," Alexa told him. "You were really pissed and you were in a pink dress. They---they made you get on the bar and sing and dance."

"WHAT?" RJ shouted.

"You were a bit off key," Saffron said thoughtfully. "And your dancing needs a bit of work..."

"I did not sing and dance on a bar," RJ protested.

"Man all my new team mates did is buy me a few rounds," Andrew said. "I even made it home that night."

"You did, RJ," Alexa said gently.

"Maybe we should talk to Frankie about this," Luna said to Ron.

"No way," RJ said. "Mum it's like an initiation."

"I don't like them taking my baby out and getting him drunk," Luna said. "You could have been hurt or worse!"

"He's fine," Ron said. "Come on Luna- they wouldn't have let anything happen to him."

"They'd better not," Luna said. "Or they'll have to deal with me."

"Come on," Saffron tugged on Andrew's hand. "I'll show you where you and RJ are sleeping."

Andrew grinned and grabbed his bag. "That must have made your day, Saf. Seeing RJ like that."

"Made my year," Saffron laughed. "Well, aside from you that is..."

Andrew grinned. "So which of these rooms is ours?"

"This one," Saffron said. "Right down the hall from me and Alexa."

"Would you mind helping me with the door?" Andrew asked winking at her.

"You do have your hands full," Saffron grinned at him.

"Thank you, Miss Potter," Andrew said as she opened the door.

"Oops," Saffron said as she closed the door behind them. "My hand must have slipped."

Andrew dropped his bags and reached for her. "I hate it when that happens."

"Me too," she said as he pulled her close. "It's just... terrible..."

"Absolutely," Andrew said nipping at her bottom lip.

Saffron wound her arms around his neck. "I don't want to go that long without you again."

"You'll have to when you're in school," Andrew reminded her.

"I know," she pouted, kissing him again. "But that's why we have these next two weeks where we'll be together every day."

They heard scratching on the door and Andrew laughed. "The dog wants to come in."

Saffron opened the door a crack and Puddles slipped inside. "He won't tell." she grinned at her boyfriend.

"He likes me," Andrew said grinning back at her. "And I love his owner."

"His owner loves you too," Saffron kissed him again.

"I have big plans for us this holiday," Andrew said. "I want to take you for a walk on the beach, just the two of us. And that carnival, too."

"I can't wait," Saffron hugged him again.

"Your cousin seems nice," Andrew said conversationally.

"Yeah he's pretty cool," Saffron agreed as Andrew began to unpack. "Here I'll help you."

"I don't know if I want you seeing my dainty things," Andrew said in a high-pitched voice.

"Shut up," Saffron pushed him, laughing.

"Oh okay," Andrew said grinning at her. "So what are we doing today?"

"Whatever we want," Saffron answered.

"Saffron!"

"Your mum," Andrew said. "We'd better go back downstairs."

"I suppose," Saffron said reluctantly. "We can pick this back up later..."

"Definitely," Andrew said kissing her once more.

Andrew and Saffron walked downstairs and Saffron gasped when she saw who was standing at the foot of the stairs with her mother.

"Sean!"

"Hi Saffy," the brown haired young man smiled at her. "Long time no see."

"When did you get here?" Saffron asked giving him a hug.

"Yesterday," Sean replied. "I saw people arriving here so I thought I'd see if you'd gotten here yet."

"You're taller than I remember," Saffron teased.

"And you're prettier," Sean smiled.

Saffron blushed. "Um, there's someone I'd like you to meet. Sean Grant, this is Andrew Kirke."

"Hi," Sean put out his hand. "Nice to meet you- Saffy wrote to me about you two."

"Aye," Andrew said shaking his hand. "Nice to meet you, too. She's told me a lot about you."

"His cousin is Christina," Saffron said with a grin. "And he's still sane."

"Saf's never held that against me," Sean said grinning at her.

"Neither did I," RJ came up behind him and clapped his shoulder. "How are you mate?"

"Good to see you, RJ," Sean said. "Saffron told me about you signing with Puddlemere. That's great."

"Thanks," RJ said with a grin.

"Where's Alexa, Veronica?" Saffron asked sweetly.

"She was just here," RJ said looking around for her.

Alexa had come out on the deck when she'd seen Gabriel walk out of the house.

"Everything okay?" she asked coming up behind him.

"Yeah," Gabriel said. "I was feeling like a bit of an outsider is all."

"We're sorry," Alexa said. "It's just a bit crazy when everyone arrives."

"No need to apologise," Gabriel said as she sat down beside him on the step. "This is a really great house."

"I love being here on the beach," Alexa said. "It's just so refreshing out here."

"It is," Gabriel said. "Reminds me a little of home."

"I imagine it would," Alexa said.

"Andrew seems nice," Gabriel said. "You can tell he cares about Saffy."

"They're completely hooked on each other," Alexa laughed. "She was with this other guy who was cheating on her at the end of last year but luckily she realised how great Andrew was before things could get too serious."

"That's great," Gabriel smiled. "And your boyfriend seems nice, too."

"When he's not completely pissed and singing on top of a bar?" Alexa asked with a grin.

"Right," Gabriel laughed.

"I'm going to go get changed into my swim costume," Alexa got back up. "You coming to the beach with us?"

"Sure," Gabriel said standing up too. "Thanks, Alexa."

"For what?" she asked.

"For being so nice to me," Gabriel said. "You don't even know me..."

Alexa smiled. "Well that's how friends are made- from people getting to know one another."

Gabriel smiled at her and together they walked back into the house.

*** *** ***

Allison stretched out next to her husband on the towel, letting the sun warm her. "This is amazing," she said to him, cracking her eye open.

"Aye," Jon replied, reaching for her hand and squeezing it. "You look gorgeous in that new suit too."

"I look like a beached whale is what I look like," Allison said.

"You're fishing for compliments again," Jon told his wife. "You're pregnant Al."

"You're sweet," Allison said smiling at him. "What's that news you wanted to tell me about the pub?"

"Just that Vic said she has something to talk to me about when I get back," Jon replied.

"You're the best bartender she has," Allison said keeping an eye on the girls who were playing with Drew on the beach.

"It didn't sound like a bad thing," Jon replied.

"I can tell you love working there," Allison said smiling at him. "And the way you are with all those people...you handle everything that comes your way."

"It's fun," Jon replied. "And Vic's a great boss."

"I'm sure it's going to be great news," Allison said. "Like a pay raise!"

"That'd be fantastic," Jon said. "Especially with this one on the way."

Allison grinned as Jon patted her stomach.

Emma, who had been coming back up the beach with her aunt and big sister saw this and came running toward her parents.

"No," she said taking Jon's hand and moving it from Allison's tummy.

"What's wrong baby?" Jon asked her.

"Em baby," Emma said plopping down on the towel.

"Of course you are," Allison said. "But only until this one is born, remember? Then you'll be a big sister like Caroline!"

Emma shook her head and buried her face in the towel.

"Em's jealous of the baby," Caroline told Drew.

"She shouldn't be," Drew put another shell in her niece's bucket. "You've been a great role model for her as a big sister."

Caroline grinned. "Were you jealous when Grandma had Aunt Maddie?"

"Not really," Drew said. "Your Aunt Darla and I were older than Emma was."

"Was Aunt Maddie jealous when Uncle RJ came along?" Caroline asked thoughtfully.

"I don't think Aunt Maddie has been jealous a day in her life," Drew said with a grin.

"I wish she and Ethan could have come," Caroline said. She grinned when she saw the shell Drew found. "That's the prettiest one, Aunt Drew!"

"It's all yours Angel," Drew said to her niece.

"I've never found this many pretty shells," Caroline said. "You're good luck."

Drew laughed. "Thanks Caroline. That's nice to hear."

"Are you going to marry Brian?" Caroline asked.

"Marry him?" Drew looked up the beach where her boyfriend was coming back from a jog. "I don't know yet Caroline."

"He's got my vote," Caroline said. "He's funny."

"I'll make sure and tell him that," Drew tugged one of Caroline's long brown plaits.

"And I'm really glad you're here," Caroline said giving her a hug. "And you're happy."

"Thank you sweetheart," Drew kissed the top of her head. "You're a great niece, you know that?"

Caroline giggled. "Thanks. What do you think we should do with the shells when we're finished finding them?"

"I'm not sure," Drew said. "We could probably save them and make a collage."

"What's that?" Caroline asked.

"Like a big picture made of shells." Drew explained.

"Do I get to help?" Brian asked coming up behind them.

"Sure," Caroline beamed at him.

"How was your jog?" Drew asked as he kissed her on the cheek.

"Great," Brian said. "You should come with me next time."

"I might," Drew said.

"Look at all the shells we found!" Caroline said pointing into the bucket.

"That's incredible," Brian told her. "I bet we can make something really cool!"

"Em too," Emma had toddled back over to them. "Em wants to help!"

"You want to help?" Drew asked pulling on the brim of Emma's sunhat. "I'm glad to hear it because I don't think we could have done it without you."

"Kay," Emma smiled at her aunt. "And Em's the baby!"

"Em's the baby," Drew agreed.

"Yay," Emma said happily. "Pretty!" she pointed to the shells.

"Almost as pretty as you three girls," Brian said winking at Drew.

"Aunt Drew's blushing," Caroline sang, giggling.

"Caroline!" Drew said blushing even more.

"You are!" Caroline said giggling.

Brian helped his girlfriend up. "Let's go get something to drink," he said. "Do you girls want anything?"

"Can we have some juice?" Caroline asked.

"Peas?" Emma chimed in.

"We'll bring you some juice," Drew picked Emma up. "But for now you girls need to go back by your parents."

"I'll get the bucket," Brian said to Caroline. "And the princess!"

Caroline giggled as Drew and Brian carried her and Emma over the sand and back to Jon and Allison.

"Here they are," Drew said grinning at her brother and sister-in-law.

"Thanks for spending time with them," Allison said. "I know it meant a lot to the girls, Drew."

"Anytime Allie," Drew said. "I don't get to spend enough time with them."

"Alright Brian?" Jon asked.

"Aye," Brian answered "We were going to get something to drink. Can we get you anything?"

"I'd love some water if you don't mind," Allison said, shading her eyes.

"Make that two," Jon said. "Thanks mate."

"Sure," Brian took Drew's hand and they ambled back to the house. "Thanks for inviting me to come here," he said. "Your family is fantastic."

"They think the same of you," Drew said. "Caroline thinks you're funny."

Brian laughed. "What do you think?" he squeezed her fingers.

Drew looked thoughtfully at him. "I think you're funny, too."

"Anything else?" he nudged her as they went into the house.

"Handsome, charming, and sweet," Drew finished.

"Thank God you're here!" they heard someone from the kitchen exclaim.

"Josh?" Drew asked. "What is it?"

"I'm letting Lizzy have a kip and I said I'd look after the babies, but I can't feed all three of them at once. My wand is upstairs..."

"Josh relax," Drew said. "We'll help you."

"Thanks," Josh said gratefully.

"Come here, Casey," Drew said taking her from Josh. "That's a good girl."

Brian took some water and juice out of the icebox. "I'll run these out and be right back," he said.

"Thanks," Drew said smiling at him.

Josh handed Drew a bottle. "I'll just go and get Noah. Thanks, Drew."

"Anytime Josh," Drew said. "You know I never mind helping out."

"Three of them makes you want to lose your head every now and then," Josh said before heading upstairs.

"But looking at this little face has to be worth it," Drew said softly, looking adoringly at her niece. "Are you hungry, little one?"

"Oooooh," Casey cooed as her little lips smacked.

Drew laughed and sat down with Casey. It was hard not to be with her nieces and nephews and not think of Hope.

Brian watched from the doorway. "You're a natural, you know." he said.

Drew smiled. "She makes it easy."

Brian sat down next to her. "You okay with this?"

"I can't shut myself off from my family," Drew said nodding. "And I know Hope wouldn't want me to do that."

"Of course not," Brian said.

"I never thanked you really for going with me to Ireland," Drew said. "I really, really appreciated you doing that, Brian."

"I was glad to do it Drew," Brian said. "You mean a lot to me."

"You mean a lot to me, too," Drew whispered.

"In fact," Brian took a deep breath. "I've uh... been meaning to say this for awhile now... I'm in love with you."

Drew gazed at him. "Brian..."

"Too soon?" he asked anxiously.

"No," she said quickly. "I feel the same way, Brian."

"You do?" he said, relaxing. "Really?"

"Both my boys wake up at once," Josh said carrying Aidan and Noah. "Brian---"

Brian hastily got up and took Noah. "I think he might have a dirty nappy as well, Josh."

"I think you're right," Josh said. "Thanks mate."

"No problem," Brian said grinning.

"You get this happy over a dirty nappy?" Josh asked bemused.

"Oh that's not just it," Brian said. "I'm in love with your sister Josh."

Drew giggled.

"Good to know," Josh said nodding. "You hurt her and I'll cripple you."

"Josh!" Drew admonished.

"Hey I'm the big brother," Josh said, sitting down with Aidan.

"Don't scare him off," Drew said. "He's one of the good ones."

"Better than Paul," Josh said under his breath.

"I heard that," Drew said. "And I couldn't agree with you more."

"I am happy for you Drew," Josh said as Brian went to change Noah. "You deserve a good guy like him."

"You heard about him going with me to see Hope in Ireland?" Drew asked her brother.

"Mum was all waxing poetic about it," Josh said. "I think it really sold him to her when she saw him there with you. Dad too."

"And I met his family," Drew confided. "They're really great people. His dad wants RJ's autograph. Really big into Quidditch."

Josh laughed. "Sounds like he'll fit right in."

"And he changes dirty nappies," Drew said grinning at him. "How many blokes do you know who'd do that for a kid that isn't even his?"

"Not many," Josh nodded. "He's a keeper Drew."

"I think so," Drew said as she burped Casey. "So...how's the book going, Mr. Author?"

"My editor has it right now," Josh said. "They'll send it back for the final rewrite soon and after it's checked over one more time, it'll be ready for publication."

"I'm so proud of you," Drew said smiling at him. "And I know Liz is too."

"Thanks little sis," Josh grinned at her.

"Have you seen little Emma around Allie?" Drew asked. "She's jealous of the baby. Caroline was asking me if we were like that when Maddie was born. And just out of curiosity, big brother, how were you and Jon when you found out Mum was going to have Dar and me?"

Josh thought for a minute. "I don't really remember," he said. "You'd be better off asking Mum and Dad about that. We were so young. I don't ever really remember feeling threatened- I already had Jon as a sibling so it's not as if I was ever lucky enough to be an only child." he joked.

"But you were lucky enough that HE was always the one getting into trouble," Drew teased.

"I was the good child," Josh said batting his eyes innocently.

"You got into your fair share of trouble too," Jon said walking into the kitchen and catching the tail end of the conversation.

"Only because of you," Josh returned.

"Your life would have been boring without me," Jon said. "Admit it, Josh."

"Yeah, yeah," Josh said rolling his eyes. "Did Saffy tell you about Junior wearing a pink dress and dancing on top of a bar?"

Jon, who had been drinking a bottle of water, nearly choked at this. "W-what?"

Josh grinned wickedly. "Apparently his team mates gave him the name Veronica and he was singing at several bars all over the Wizarding section of London."

Jon grinned and rubbed his hands together. "Do they have pictures? Please tell me they have pictures!"

"The team might," Josh answered, setting Aidan back into his little chair. "Saffron was pissed that she didn't have a camera."

"Remind me to have a little chat with the youngest Potter," Jon said.

"How's Em doing?" Drew asked him.

"She's all right," Jon sat down. "I don't know where this jealousy is coming from. It's got Al and I both baffled."

"She's been the baby for quite some time," Drew said thoughtfully. "Probably scared of what will happen when her little brother arrives."

"Nothing's going to change for her," Jon said. "Except that she won't be the youngest anymore. It's just hard for us to tell her that- at her age she doesn't understand everything."

"Just keep trying to play up the fact that she'll be a big sister," Drew advised. "Like Caroline."

"I think eventually she'll get used to the idea," Jon nodded.

RJ came downstairs in a t-shirt and pyjama bottoms with a bad case of bedhead hair.

"What time is it?" he asked groggily.

"Nearly one," Josh answered. "Veronica."

RJ glared at him. "Not you too. How many people is bloody Saffy going to tell?"

"Oh Joshie and I will take care of alerting the media," Jon said with a rather evil glint in his eye. "You never told us how much you liked pink Junior."

"Shut it Jon," RJ said walking over to the icebox and pulling out a carton of juice.

"RJ!" Drew admonished when he drank straight from the carton. "That's not just for you!"

"So?" RJ asked.

"So get a glass," Drew said rolling her eyes. "That's disgusting!"

"We don't want lipstick marks on the carton," Jon couldn't resist.

"Okay Boo Bear," RJ retorted. "Drew, do you know where Lex, Saffy and Andrew are?"

"They took Gabriel out on the boat," Drew replied. "Tried to wake you up, but apparently you were dead to the world."

"Damn it," RJ grumbled. "Figures they'd leave me out."

"They tried to wake you," Drew reminded him.

"I guess," RJ shoved the carton back in the icebox. "I'm going to the beach."

"I better get this out to Al," Jon said grabbing another bottle of water. "Josh, you and Liz coming out later?"

"Yeah," Josh said. "When she gets up."

"See you out there," Jon said before leaving the kitchen.

"I think she's finished," Drew said as Brian came back into the room with Noah.

"Sorry it took me so long," he apologised. "I'm a bit out of practise with nappies."

"Thanks mate," Josh said gratefully.

"Welcome," Brian set Noah back into his seat and fastened the little belt.

"It's a shame Darla isn't coming in until the weekend," Josh said.

"There's still so much to do for Maddie's wedding," Drew said.

"You and Dar are really putting your all into this," Josh was impressed.

"Maddie's our little sister," Drew said. "And we want to make this special for her."

"I can't believe she's getting married," Josh shook his head. "Our baby sister, married..."

"I know," Drew agreed. "It's something, isn't it?"

"I'm just glad it's Ethan," Josh said. "We don't have to beat the crap out of anyone."

Brian laughed nervously. "You guys are harsh..."

"Don't worry Brian," Josh grinned at him. "We like you already."

"Good to know," Brian said with a relieved sigh.

Drew shook her head. "Come on Brian," she said. "I think Josh can handle things from here on out."

"Thanks for the help you two," Josh called after them.

"Want to go for a walk?" Brian asked. "We can be alone for awhile..."

"On one condition," Drew said. "You have to buy me an ice cream..."

Brian laughed. "Anything you want." he said, taking her hand.

Josh watched them go and then returned his attention to his three children who were all staring up at him from their seats.

"You going to be quiet for Daddy now?" he asked them.

Lizzy grinned from the doorway. "I see you handled things," she said, making him jump.

"Hi sweetheart," Josh said sheepishly. "Did you get some sleep?"

"Yeah," Lizzy kissed him. "Felt nice to kip in the middle of the day."

"I was hoping I'd get the chance to join you, but these three had other ideas," Josh said.

"We'll have to make up for that later," Lizzy made a goofy face at her sons.

Noah held up his little hand and Lizzy stuck her finger out. Her son promptly wrapped his little fingers around it. "I love it when they do that," she said softly.

"It's sweet," Josh agreed, rubbing Casey's soft cheek.

"I'm still trying to get use to the fact that there's a Weasley boy with blonde hair," Lizzy said looking at Noah. "This has to be a first. Well, Nick has blonde hair, but---"

Josh laughed. "Your good genes came through."

"Aidan and Casey got your red hair though," Lizzy said.

"Guess that means the Weasley gene is stronger," Josh said, earning a slap on the shoulder.

"Very funny," Lizzy said. "There's quite a bit of Mitchell in them, too."

"I'd like to be a little bit in a Mitchell," Josh kissed her as he pulled her onto his lap.

"Josh," Lizzy giggled.

"Come on, you know you like some Weasley in you," Josh grinned.

"I do, but perhaps we shouldn't do this in front of the babies," she told him.

"Maybe they want a kip," Josh said hopefully.

"They look wide awake to me," Lizzy said. "But when they do go down for their kip, I promise we'll continue this."

"Promise me," Josh said.

Lizzy kissed him. "Promise."

Meanwhile, RJ set up camp on the dock waiting for his so called friends to come back from the water.

They probably didn't try that hard to wake me up, he thought as he looked out at the ocean. At the very least, they could have waited on the beach for me and then we all could have gone out.

He'd been waiting on the dock for about a half hour, his skin starting to burn when he heard the roar of the motor in the distance.

He looked out to see his friends on the boat. Andrew was steering and Saffron was by his side. Gabriel and Alexa were sitting at the back of the boat deep in conversation.

"Hi!" RJ said with a large false grin. "Everyone have a great time? No need to ask me if I wanted to go- I had quite the nice lie in."

Saffron and Andrew exchanged a puzzled look.

"We tried to wake you mate," Andrew said as he docked the boat.

"Yeah I'm sure you did," RJ said, annoyed.

"We did," Alexa said. "Come on, RJ. Don't be like this."

"Whatever," RJ turned and left the dock as Saffron secured it with the ropes.

"Alexa, don't you dare go after him," Saffron said to her friend. "He's being a big baby."

"Saffy he's my boyfriend," Alexa said. "Please don't start anything with him okay?"

"I'm not going to," Saffron said. "But you have to admit he's blowing this out of proportion. He acts like we deliberately went out without him. We did everything short of throwing a pail of water on him to get him up."

"I'm going to go talk to him," Alexa said. "I'll meet you guys on the beach."

Saffron sighed. "Okay. Come on Gabe. Let's go and get some lunch."

"Sure," Gabriel said as she clasped hands with Andrew. "Do you and RJ always fight?"

Andrew laughed. "Like cats and dogs."

"I like to think of it more like brother and sister," Saffron corrected him. "You see, Gabe....I'm usually right and RJ hates that. That's where most of our problems come from...”

"You're always right?" Gabriel asked. "Is this true, Andrew?"

"As far as I'm concerned, she's always right," Andrew grinned at his girlfriend. "I'm not a fool."

Gabriel laughed. "Good answer."

Alexa struggled to catch up with RJ.

"Wait!" she called breathlessly out to him.

"Why?" he asked crossly.

"Because I'd like to talk to you," she answered putting a hand on his arm. "Don't be like this."

He sighed. "This was supposed to be our holiday Lexie," he finally stopped. "And I've hardly seen you."

"We've been here one day," Alexa pointed out.

"And this is the first time I've seen you," RJ rolled his eyes. "Other than dinner last night."

"You're the one who has been busy with your team ever since you graduated," Alexa said angrily.

"It's my job now!" RJ exclaimed.

"We've barely spoken since we left Hogwarts," Alexa pointed out. "And I haven't said anything about that because I knew that this was something you had to do, but it hurts that I can't share this with you."

RJ relaxed at the look on her face. "Maybe you can come to some of our practises when we go back," he said as they sat down together on the warm sand.

"I'd like that," she said quietly. "And we really didn't intentionally leave you out, RJ."

"I guess I know that," he said reaching for her hand. "I just want to spend as much time with you as possible these next two weeks."

"You will," she said resting her head on his shoulder.

He kissed her forehead. "Love you Lexie."

"Love you too," Alexa said. "And I really do wish you'd have come with us today. It wasn't as much fun without you."

"No?" he asked, secretly pleased to hear this.

"No," she said grinning at him.

RJ leaned in and kissed her fully. "Making up for a little lost time here..."

Alexa giggled as RJ toyed with one of her bikini straps.

"Like that?" he teased.

"Yes," Alexa said softly.

"You know," he kissed under her ear. "We could go back to the house for a little while... pretty much everyone's down here on the beach."

"Be a shame to waste all that privacy," Alexa agreed.

"Come on," RJ said with a grin, leading her back.

"So other than the making you dance on bars thing and wearing women's clothing thing," Alexa said. "How do you like the team?"

"It's great," RJ said. "I have to go back for a mandatory practise later this week."

"They don't waste much time, do they?" Alexa asked.

"Not really," RJ said. "Frankie told me that the coach thinks I'm going to help them win the Cup."

"Of course you will," Alexa said loyally.

"And you'll be there cheering me on," he said opening the door for her.

"When I can," Alexa said. "But when I can't, I'll be listening on the Wireless."

"I'll keep that in mind," RJ pushed her down on the chaise lounge on the screened in porch.

"RJ!" Alexa gasped. "What's gotten into---?"

Her words were cut off by his lips crashing to hers.

"I've missed this," he said between kisses.

"Me too," Alexa whispered as he trailed kisses along her neck and shoulder.

"We'll spend the rest of today together," RJ said. "And tonight I'm taking you out for dinner, just the two of us."

"Really?" she asked smiling at him.

"Yeah," he smoothed back her hair.

"I can't wait," Alexa said giving him a kiss.

"Me either," he agreed.

"Someone's coming," Alexa said as she heard voices. They both sat up and Alexa pulled the straps of her bikini top back up.

"Uncle RJ!" Caroline squealed, launching herself at her uncle.

"Hey," RJ laughed, giving his niece a hug. "What have you got there Caroline?"

"Seashells," Caroline answered. "Aunt Drew is going to help me and Emma make a collage."

Emma toddled over to Alexa. "Em still baby!"

"Hi Emma," Alexa smiled. "Of course you're still a baby."

Emma grinned and wrapped her arms around Alexa's neck.

Allison laughed. "We were just going to get some lunch. You guys want to join us?"

"Sure," RJ said. "I'm always hungry."

"I know that," Allison said. "And don't let your brothers get to you, RJ. I know they've been giving you a hard time about---"

"Did you really wear a dress?" Caroline asked him innocently.

"I'm going to kill Saffron," RJ scowled.

"You can't do that," Caroline told him. "We love Saffy."

"Glad someone does," RJ glared at Saffron as she walked up to the house with Gabriel, Andrew and Sean.

"What did I do?" Saffron asked. "You're not still mad about us not waking you up, are you?"

Emma waved at Saffron. "Saf!"

"Hi Emma," Saffron grinned at the little redhead girl.

"How many people have you told about this?" RJ asked her.

"About what?" Saffron asked holding her arms out as Emma reached for her.

"As if you didn't know," RJ said angrily.

Emma pulled on one of Saffron's plaits and giggled.

"Come on," Allison said to her brother-in-law. "Let's not get mad."

"But she's telling everyone about this stupid initiation," RJ snapped. "So I was in a bloody dress and singing, would you please stop blabbing about it to everyone?" he barked at Saffron.

Saffron stifled a laugh. "Okay, everyone already knows anyway. RJ, come on..."

"But I'm sick and tired of everyone taking the Mickey out of me for it," RJ said as Jon put a hand on his shoulder.

"We'll stop," Jon promised.

"Yeah right," RJ grumbled.

Emma looked over Saffron's shoulder at Gabriel and he made a goofy face at her.

RJ saw this and thought that Gabriel was making the face at him. "Who the hell are you anyway?"

"What?" Gabriel asked taken aback.

"RJ!" Saffron glared at him.

"Do you have something to say about it too?" RJ asked him.

"I wasn't---" Gabriel started to say.

"He was making a face at Emma," Allison said. "RJ calm down all right?"

"I'm going up to my room," RJ said stalking off the porch.

"Come on girls," Jon said to his daughters. "Let's go get some lunch."

"Saf come too?" Emma asked.

"I'll come too," Saffron promised. "Gabe I'm so sorry. I don't know what's gotten into him lately."

"It's okay," Gabriel said quietly. "I really wasn't---"

"We know," Allison reassured him.

"It's all right Gabriel," Jon said. "My brother can be a real pain in the arse at times."

"Daddy that's a bad word," Caroline informed him.

"Right," Jon said sheepishly. "Sorry, Caroline."

"Come on," Alexa said, horribly embarrassed at RJ's behaviour. "I'm hungry too."

"What do we want to eat?" Jon asked. "Sandwiches? Crisps?"

"Em eat everything!" Emma said enthusiastically.

Saffron giggled. "Everything?"

"Em eat!" Emma grinned at her.

"I'll help," Saffron said tickling the little girl's side. "Come on."

Alexa hung back. "Gabe I really am sorry about RJ," she said. "I don't know why he's been so hostile."

"You don't have to apologise," Gabriel said. "I really wasn't making a face at him. I was just playing with Emma."

"I know," Alexa replied. "Everyone knows."

"Are you okay?" he asked her.

"I'm fine," she assured him.

He smiled at her. "Thanks for letting me come out with you guys this morning. It was fun."

"I had a good time," Alexa smiled. "And trust me, when RJ's in a better mood, you'll really like him."

Gabriel wasn't so sure, but for Alexa's benefit, he would try. "So shall we go eat?"

"Sure," Alexa agreed. "I make a killer grilled cheese sandwich you know."

"Do you now?" Gabriel asked. "I had no idea."

"That and the fudge are the things I make best," Alexa laughed.

"RJ's a lucky guy," Gabriel said following her into the kitchen.

"I'm lucky too," Alexa replied.

"When he's not being a horse's you-know-what," Saffron chimed in, being careful what she said around Emma and Caroline.

"Saffy," Alexa said giving her friend a look.

"Sorry," Saffron replied.

"I'll just go and see if he wants anything for lunch," Andrew said. "Be right back."

RJ was sitting sullenly on his bed looking through a Quidditch magazine when Andrew knocked.

"Alright, mate?" Andrew asked opening the door.

RJ shook his head. "I'm ready to strangle your girlfriend."

"RJ," Andrew said. "Come on, she was just having a laugh. You'd have done the same thing if the roles were reversed."

RJ didn't want to admit Andrew was right.

"And Gabe was making a face at Emma," Andrew said. "Ease up on him, okay?"

"He keeps looking at Lexie," RJ tossed his magazine aside.

"He does not," Andrew said shaking his head.

RJ only rolled his eyes and got up. "I'm hungry," he said.

"No, no." Andrew shook his head. "Be nice to the bloke RJ. He's had a lot to deal with and Alexa's just being nice to him."

"I really hate it when you're right," RJ said. "But at least you don't rub it in like Saffy."

"Saf said she'd stop," Andrew told him. "You ready to quit having a sulk and get something to eat?"

"Fine," RJ said. "Sorry mate."

"Gonna be a good boy and play well with the other kids then?" Andrew asked.

"Shut up," RJ said laughing.

"That's a yes then," Andrew said grinning. "Lex is making grilled cheese sandwiches."

"Yum," RJ said. "She makes the best grilled cheese in the world."

"Tell her that then," Andrew said leading the way downstairs.

Alexa was already at the stove when RJ wrapped his arms around her from behind. "I'm sorry... again." he whispered in her ear.

Alexa smiled. "You want extra cheese?"

"Please," he said with a grin.

"Saf?" Andrew said motioning to RJ.

Saffron sighed. "I'm sorry, RJ. I promise not to tell anyone else about the d-r-e-s-s."

RJ shook his head. "I think you already did enough damage," he said with a wry smile.

"Well, when I do something embarrassing which will probably be about 20 or 30 years from now, you can tease me unmercifully about it," Saffron said.

"I'm going to hold that over your head for life," RJ replied.

"Deal," Saffron said. She bounced Emma on her lap. "Uncle RJ is silly, isn't he, Emma?"

"Silly," Emma agreed, grinning at her godfather.

Gabriel decided to make an effort with RJ. "Alexa was telling me that you just signed a big contract."

"Yeah," RJ nodded. "You know a lot about Quidditch?"

Gabriel shook his head. "Just what my dad and Saffy have told me."

"I can tell you anything you want to know," RJ offered. "I know everything about Quidditch."

"That'd be great," Gabriel said. "Sounds like a lot of fun."

"Maybe you can come to a practise later this summer," RJ offered. "See what it's like up close."

Alexa beamed at RJ. "I think that'd be great, Gabe. What do you say?"

"Sure," Gabriel agreed. "I’d really like that RJ, thanks."

"I want to come too," Saffron said. "So I can see what my future team mates are like."

"I hate to think what sort of initiation they'd put you through," Andrew said with a laugh.

"They'd be nice to me," Saffron replied. "I'll be the only girl on the team."

"Would you and RJ be able to get along on the same team?" Gabriel asked.

"No," they both answered at the same time, making Caroline and Emma laugh.

"You got along fine on the house team," Alexa pointed out.

"Only because we had to," Saffron grinned.

"And now she's probably going to be made captain," RJ said. "I'm just glad I won't be there to see that when the power goes to her head."

Saffron tossed a crisp at him. "I'm going to have a lot to do this next year."

"Captain of the team," Andrew said. "Set the groundwork for being named Head Girl your last year..."

"That's right," Saffron leaned against him. "I want it all."

"And knowing you, you'll get it all," Andrew said grinning at her.

"I already have what I want most," Saffron whispered in his ear.

Sean watched the two of them and although he'd wished he and Saffron could pick up where they'd left off; there was no denying that his ex-girlfriend was happy.

111. 111!!!

A/N: Thanks for all the reviews you guys! Remember- if you want us to answer any questions you might have, leave them on tonight’s chapter so we can be sure and answer them for Saturday!

In this chap, you get a cute M/E flashback, as well as Saffron being herself- aka completely overreacting ;) Next chapter brings back Frankie and Will! PLEASE review!!!

The weekend brought Ethan and Maddie to Brighton and everyone peppered them with questions about the wedding and the honeymoon. Saffron kept telling Maddie that they needed to have a serious talk about Ethan and what she was getting herself into which only caused Ethan to tease his younger sister unmercifully about Andrew.

On Friday evening, they decided to have a big barbecue, sort of an impromptu engagement/pre-wedding party for Ethan and Maddie.

Ashley walked off the deck and into the backyard to retrieve her plate of food. She'd been sitting with Caroline and Katie and went inside to help Lizzy get something for the triplets.

When she got back to her seat she was dismayed to see that her cheeseburger was gone. She glared at her little sister, whose face was smeared with ketchup.

"Katie!" Ashley said folding her arms. "You ate my food!"

"It was getting cold," Katie replied. "And you said the other day you don't like meat anymore!"

"I did not!" Ashley retorted. "You just didn't want to wait for Uncle Ron to cook yours so you ate mine! I'm telling Mum!"

Before Katie could say anything Ashley tore across the patio to rat her out.

"Maybe you shouldn't have eaten it," Caroline said. "I hope you don't get in trouble. You said you didn't think she'd mind."

"She's always trying to get me in trouble," Katie said tossing the rest of the cheeseburger on her sister's plate. "You're so lucky that you're the oldest."

"I guess," Caroline didn't want to admit she thought her best friend was acting like a brat. "I got a postcard from Mia," she changed the subject. "She got to meet all the princesses!"

"Did she tell you what she got us?" Katie asked.

Caroline shook her head. "No but she said she got to ride some really cool things like a roller coaster."

"You know if I ever get to go there, I'd take you with me," Katie said smiling at her. "Because you're MY bestest friend."

"Thanks Katie," Caroline smiled back as Ashley led Julie back over.

"Did you eat your sister's cheeseburger, Katie?" Julie asked.

"No," Katie lied. "It's right there."

"Uncle Ron had just served it to me when Aunt Lizzy asked if I'd give her a hand," Ashley told her mother. "Katie and Caroline hadn't been served yet when I left. When I came back, the silly cow was eating my food!"

Julie put a hand to her head. "Ashley, do not call your sister names, please."

"But Mum she ate my food!" Ashley protested. "I'm tired of Katie always getting away with everything! She's a big brat and I wish she wasn't my sister!"

"I don't get away with everything!" Katie shot back. "And I don't want you for my sister either!"

"GIRLS," Julie said sternly. "Inside, NOW." her tone meant business.

Ashley glared at Katie before following her mother inside the house.

"I don't care who ate what," Julie said before either of her daughters could even speak. "But the two of you need to stop with these screaming matches."

"She was the one who said she wished I wasn't her sister!" Katie said tearing up.

"I'm sure she didn't mean it, did you Ashley?" Julie gave her a dark look.

"I just wish you weren't such a brat," Ashley said quietly scuffing her feet on the floor. "You mess up my stuff...you use it without asking me beforehand. How would you feel if I did that to your things?"

"You do, all the time!" Katie retorted.

"What would I want with your dress up clothes and that play makeup?" Ashley scoffed.

"You're not as pretty as me and Caroline and you always want to play dress up with us," Katie shot back.

Ashley looked at her as if Katie had slapped her.

"I'm going up to my room," Ashley said looking at her mother. "Is that okay?"

"Fine," Julie sighed. "Katherine Rose that was completely unnecessary."

"It's the truth, Mummy," Katie said pouting. "Can we go back outside? Uncle Ron's probably made my food now and I don't want it to get cold."

"No," Julie shook her head. "You're grounded to your room for the rest of the night."

"You can't do that!" Katie protested. "Mummy!"

"I can," Julie pointed to the stairs. "You can come out to use the loo and that's it."

"I hate you!" Katie said angrily stalking off.

Julie rubbed her eyes and sat down at the kitchen table. Nick came in several minutes later and saw his wife.

"What's going on?" he asked. "Why aren't you out there?"

"Let's see," Julie said pretending to think. "Our daughters hate each other and I was just refereeing the latest match. It ended with one of them in tears and the other one telling me they hated me."

"What?" Nick sat down next to her. "Let me guess- Ash was the one in tears..."

"Right," Julie said nodding.

Nick exhaled sharply. "I wish I knew what we could do to get through to them."

"I'm at a loss," Julie said. "It just keeps getting worse, Nick. They fight all the time. I can't help thinking that perhaps if I was at home more---"

"The girls have Greta there," Nick said. "It has nothing to do with us both working."

"My mum and dad didn't plan it that way, but I think they really did the right thing by having us so far apart. I never fought with Saffy. Ethan and Saf have had a few rows, but nothing that serious."

"Jules," Nick reached for her hand. "Perhaps we should think about taking the girls in for some counselling."

"Counselling?" Julie asked. "Really?"

"It couldn't hurt," Nick said softly.

"Perhaps Anna or Lizzy could recommend someone," Julie said thoughtfully.

Nick stroked her cheek. "I love you Jules. I know this upsets you."

"I wanted them to be close," Julie said. "I wanted them to be good friends. I look at how close Chiaki's always been to her sisters and how Caroline and Emma are and I want that for Katie and Ashley, too."

Nick hugged her. "Maybe they just need more time," he said. "I think the most important thing is that they both realise that we love them more than anything."

Julie relaxed in his arms. "I keep trying to tell them that one day, they'll be friends and they look at me like I'm stupid."

"You aren't stupid," Nick reassured her. "You're a good mum."

"I'm rubbish," Julie said shaking her head. "Complete and utter rubbish."

"No you're not," Nick kissed her.

"I love you," she said resting her forehead on his.

"Love you," Nick said. "Always have, since the first moment I saw you."

"Sweet talker," she said grinning at him.

"Mum? Dad?" Ashley was standing in the doorway.

"What is it, Ash?" Nick asked her.

"Am I grounded like Katie?" she asked.

"No," Julie replied. "But I really do wish you would try and get along with her, Ashley."

"If she hadn't eaten my cheeseburger we wouldn't be fighting at all!" Ashley exclaimed.

"Something tells me the two of you would have found something else to argue about," Nick told her.

"Well I'll try if she will," Ashley crossed her arms.

"Thank you," Nick said. "Come here..."

Ashley went into her father's arms and he kissed the top of her head.

"I saw that water colour you painted earlier," Nick said. "It was beautiful."

"Thanks Daddy," Ashley said. "Can we go to the museum when we get back home?"

"Which one do you want to go to, Ash?" Nick asked her.

"That really cool art one in downtown London." Ashley answered.

"Sure," Nick said. "Perhaps....perhaps Katie could come, too."

Ashley nodded. "Does she have to stay grounded?"

"Yeah, do I?" Katie asked.

Nick looked at Julie, who shook her head. "All right you don't have to stay grounded," he said.

"But one more argument, from either of you," Julie said. "Then yes, you'll be grounded for a day in your room. No books, paints, dress up clothes, friends or dance... all right?"

"I'm sorry I said that I wished you weren't my sister," Ashley said quietly to Katie.

"I'm sorry too," Katie replied. "I'm sorry I ate your cheeseburger."

"And Daddy said he'd take me to the museum when we get back," Ashley said. "If you want to come..."

"Okay," Katie said, still somewhat wary.

"That's my girls," Nick said smiling at them.

Katie giggled and hugged her father. She looked over his shoulder out the window and giggled louder. "Grandma and Grandpa are dancing! They're too old to dance!"

"My parents are never too old to dance," Julie said, her hand on Katie's shoulder. "You know that's how your grandparents met..."

"They met at the same place you met Daddy, right?" Katie asked her mother.

"That's right Katie bear," Julie said. "Almost in the same spot even."

"Let's go look," Ashley said.

"Dad come on," Ethan chuckled. "You're old now- you can't dance the way you used to."

"He's dancing a sight better than you," Saffron said nudging her brother.

"Can you teach me, Grandpa?" Ashley asked.

"Of course I can Ash," Harry grinned at her. "Come on over here."

"I'm not very good," Ashley admitted.

"Neither was your grandmother when she first started," Harry whispered.

"She's good at everything though," Ashley said looking up at him.

"Now she is," Harry said twirling his granddaughter around.

Ashley giggled and tried to mimic his moves. She accidentally stepped on his toes. "Grandpa, I'm sorry!"

"It's all right," Harry chuckled. "You don't weigh very much." he ruffled her blonde hair.

Ashley beamed up at him. "Thanks, Grandpa."

Emma toddled over to Ethan and tugged on his hand. "Dance!"

"You want to dance?" Ethan laughed, picking her up. "All right then."

"Yeah, Ethan," Saffron teased. "Show us your moves!"

"Well I have a fantastic dance partner," Ethan kissed Emma's cheek. "Come on baby girl."

Emma giggled. "Spin me!"

"One spin coming up," Ethan said, lifting her high in the air and twirling her around.

"What's going on?" Seamus asked as he came out onto the deck.

"Sweetheart!" Lavender said running to him. "I didn't think you'd be here until tomorrow!"

"Hey," Seamus gave his wife a kiss. "I finished up early so I could get here and surprise you."

"I've missed you!" Lavender gushed.

"There's no food left, Finnigan," Ron joked.

"There's a big surprise," Seamus grinned. "Gabe!" his smile got even bigger as his son came over to greet him.

"Hey Dad," Gabriel said.

Seamus hugged him. "Having a good time?"

Gabriel nodded. "Everyone's been really nice."

"He's gone out with Saffy and her friend Alexa on the boat, haven't you Gabe?" Lavender asked her stepson.

"That's great," Seamus said. "I have a surprise for you, son."

"You do?" Gabriel asked. "Really?"

"I'm going to go see if Luna needs any help," Lavender said smiling at them both.

Seamus motioned for Gabriel to follow him back into the house. "I was doing some digging around in my archives and I came upon some footage I thought you might like to see."

"What sort of footage?" Gabriel asked curiously.

"You just sit down there on the sofa," Seamus said to him. He retrieved a video tape from his bag and walked over to the television.

Gabriel watched as his father put the tape in and sat next to him on the sofa. "Hey!" he said in surprise. "That's my mum!"

"Get that camera off of me!" Samantha was saying as she covered her face. "Seamus!"

"She was cooking dinner for me," Seamus explained to his son.

Gabriel laughed as his mother swatted at his father.

"You really want me kicking your butt on camera?" Samantha asked teasingly. "Because I think I could do it."

"She probably could," Seamus joked.

"You are wasting your tape on me," Samantha said turning her attention back to the stove. "Seamus, quit playing around!"

"I can't help it," the Seamus on tape said. "You're too gorgeous for me to not immortalize."

"I'm just cooking," she said shaking her head. "There are better things to film."

"Not that I can see," Seamus replied, aiming the camera closer to her face.

Samantha grinned and made a goofy face at the camera. "You're lucky I love you so much."

Seamus didn't notice the expression on Gabriel's face as they watched the video together.

"Okay," Samantha said smiling into the camera. "Watch as I go over to the cabinet to get a big bowl for the salad. This is riveting stuff, isn't it? For anyone unfortunate enough to watch this, I apologise for my ‘boyfriend' doing this to you..."

"She never really liked being on camera," Gabriel said. "Except for you I guess."

"I know," Seamus said nodding.

Gabriel watched as the screen blacked out for a moment but a few seconds later, both Seamus and Samantha were on the screen.

"You never want to dance," Samantha was saying with a laugh. "What has gotten into you tonight?"

"I just feel like it," Seamus gave her a kiss. "You're always complaining that I never dance and now that I want to--"

"I'm not complaining," Samantha said laughing. "Come on then...let's see what you got."

The couple onscreen laughed as Seamus managed to stumble over both their feet.

"This is really smooth," Samantha teased. "I might have to get this tape and use it to my advantage..."

"I'm hiding it and you'll never find it," Seamus kissed her again.

Gabriel watched his parents as they continued to dance on camera. He didn't even realise it but tears were falling down his cheek as he watched them wondering what life might have been like if they'd been a family.

"You all right?" Seamus put a hand on his son's shoulder. "Gabriel I'm sorry if me bringing this upset you--"

Gabriel shook his head. "No, I'm glad you did."

"This tape is for you," Seamus said. "I just thought you might like a copy so you could see what your mum and I were like together."

"Thanks," Gabriel said wiping at his eyes.

Seamus handed him a tissue wordlessly.

"I always wondered what you were like together," Gabriel said. "She didn't have much...she didn't have time to tell me.."

"There's more on the tape," Seamus stopped it with the remote. "I put together as much as I could find."

"You'll watch it with me?" Gabriel asked.

"If you like," Seamus nodded. "Oh- I have something else for you too."

"What?" Gabriel asked.

Seamus reached into his briefcase and pulled out a box. "I popped back home today and got you your own mobile." he said. "It's one of those ones that works no matter where you are. I thought you might like it to call home and talk to your grandparents."

"Dad--" Gabriel said. For an awful moment, Seamus thought he would refuse the gift. "Thank you."

"You're welcome," Seamus smiled at him. "It's ready for you to use whenever you want."

"You think I could call them now?" Gabriel asked.

"I'm sure they'd love to hear from you," Seamus replied. "I'll leave you be so you can ring them."

"Okay," Gabriel said smiling at him. "Thanks, Dad."

Seamus patted his son's shoulder. "I'm glad to make you happy."

"You really did care about her, didn't you?" Gabriel asked.

"I did," Seamus nodded. "She was a very special woman. And now that I know I have you, that only makes her even more so."

Gabriel grinned. "Thanks again."

Seamus left his son to make his phone calls and went back outside to join everyone else.

"Everything okay?" Lavender asked.

"Fine," Seamus kissed her. "I just found some old films of Samantha I thought Gabriel might like to see."

"You did?" Saffron asked. "Uncle Seamus, that's great!"

Seamus laughed. "Thanks Saffy. I appreciate you being so nice to him too."

"He's great," Saffron said.

"Even if he did clean your clock at volleyball," Alexa teased. "You should have seen it Mr. Finnigan, he was fantastic."

Saffron nudged her friend. "I'm sure he's had loads of practise- he practically lives on the ocean back there in California."

"He's really good at sport," Seamus said proudly.

"Didn't get that from you," Ron said matter-of-factly.

"Sod off," Seamus replied. "You're not so hot either Weasley."

"Better than you," Ron said smugly. "You spend all day on a film set sitting on your arse."

Lavender glared at Ron. "Seamus is very active on set!" she defended. "He's always going into takes with his actors and partaking in all aspects of filmmaking."

"Oh is he?" Ron asked with a laugh. "That's quite athletic, Lav. I had no idea."

"You are so infuriating," Lavender crossed her arms. "You're worse than Harry!"

"What did I do?" Harry asked her.

"Nothing, for a change," Lavender gave him a sweet smile. "In fact, this is the nicest visit I've ever had with you."

"We've hardly seen each other," Harry said bemused.

"That's probably why we're still getting along," Lavender teased.

"Probably," Harry said with a laugh.

"Uncle Ethan?" Ashley sat down. "Can I ask you a question?"

"Sure," Ethan replied. "What's on your mind, Ash?'

"When did you start to like Maddie?" Ashley was curious. Apparently so were Katie and Caroline, who were sitting and listening to every word.

"Around Christmas time a couple of years back," Ethan replied.

"Aunt Maddie always loved you," Caroline said grinning at her aunt. "Right?"

Maddie laughed. "I had a big crush on him when we were growing up, but I grew out of it a bit."

"Only a bit," Ethan nudged her. "She used to go around telling everyone that she was going to marry me."

"When I was four," Maddie reminded him.

"You knew even then?" Caroline was impressed.

Maddie nodded. "He was my hero...most of the time."

***Flashback***

Fourteen-year old Ethan Potter strode into the Great Hall with his best mate Justin. He'd had to undergo countless teasing from his mates about whether or not he'd be named to the house team after his disastrous performance in last year's championship game.

"Another boring sorting," Justin said as he sat down. "I'm ready to eat not watch a bunch of 11-year olds try on a hat."

"I know," Ethan said. "And I'm sick of listening to everyone take the Mickey out of me already."

"They're just jealous mate," Justin said. "Those wankers aren't even on the house team."

"Yeah," Ethan agreed. "And I worked all summer with my dad. We'll win the Cup this year. I'm sure of it."

"When do you think we'll find out who made captain?" Justin asked.

"It's probably Patterson," Ethan said looking down the table to where the seventh-year boy was sitting. "I just hope we don't lose to Slytherin again. Two years in a row is a disgrace."

"Tell me about it," Justin grimaced. "This year we'll kick some ass."

"Damn straight," Ethan agreed. A hush fell over the Great Hall as the double doors opened and Professor McGonagall led a group of scared first years in.

Madeline Weasley hadn't spoken to many of her fellow classmates. She'd been in awe since the moment she'd stepped on the Hogwarts Express. Although she'd been to Hogwarts to see her brothers and sisters graduate, it was different this time.

"Move, blondie," a girl said bumping into her.

"Oh," Maddie said sheepishly. "I'm sorry."

"You should be," the girl grumbled. "Why would you just stop like that?"

"I was just looking at the ceiling," Maddie replied. "It's really pretty. My sister Drew said it was bewitched to look like the night sky."

"Whatever," the girl rolled her eyes. "Could you MOVE it along already? I'd like to be sorted before the year ends."

"Of course," Maddie said quickening her step. She caught sight of a familiar raven-haired boy as she walked past the Gryffindor table. "Hi, Ethan!"

Ethan looked up. "Hey Maddie," he said.

"Look everyone," one of Ethan's housemates called out. "Potter's got a girlfriend."

Ethan turned red. "She's just a friend of the family," he muttered.

"Right," the boy said causing the other Gryffindor boys to laugh.

Maddie took her place with the other first-years and wondered why she was so worried. It was a known-fact that all Weasleys were sorted in Gryffindor.

Since everyone was called up in alphabetical order, she had to wait until the very end for her own name to be called.

"Madeline Weasley," Professor McGonagall finally called out.

The young girl's hands were clammy as she stepped up to the podium. She looked out over the sea of students, trying to find one of her sisters or Ethan.

Professor McGonagall motioned for her to sit down.

"Gryffindor," Maddie whispered. "Please Gryffindor."

The Sorting Hat sat on her head for only a few moments before calling out the house name she wanted most to hear.

The Gryffindor students clapped enthusiastically. Maddie nervously made her way over to the table to where Ethan was sitting. “Ethan?” she asked. “Can I sit by you?”

"If you want," Ethan said with a shrug. "But most of the first-years sit down there, Maddie."

"I know but," Maddie twisted her robes in her hand. "I don't know any of them."

"Okay," Ethan said quietly hoping she wouldn't bring up some embarrassing rubbish about how she used to pretend they were married.

"Thanks," Maddie blushed and sat down next to him. "I'm so happy I'm in Gryffindor."

"You're a Weasley," Ethan said. "What other house would you get sorted into, Maddie?"

Maddie shrugged. "I don't know." she said. "When do we get to eat?"

"After Dumbledore's speech," Ethan replied.

"I tried to find you on the train," Maddie said conversationally. "But I found a seat near the back and I just watched the scenery. It's really pretty countryside, don't you think?"

"Yeah it's all right," Ethan replied as Dumbledore began to talk.

Maddie turned her attention to the headmaster and hung on his every word. She'd grown up hearing stories about what a great, powerful wizard Albus Dumbledore was. She didn't see Ethan surreptitiously checking out a Ravenclaw brunette.

"He's just as neat as my brothers and sisters said he was," Maddie whispered to Ethan.

"Uh-huh," Ethan said absently.

Maddie turned to look at him and followed his gaze across the room. "Who are you looking at?" she said curiously.

Justin snorted and turned his head. "That, Madeline, is the Jessica Marlowe. Ethan's never said more than two words to her, but he's convinced she's the love of his life."

Despite the fact that she didn't have as big a crush on Ethan as she'd had when she was a younger girl, this explanation hurt. "Oh," she said softly.

"I'm going to try and talk to her before we leave," Ethan said determinedly. "See if she wants to study--"

"Study my arse," Justin guffawed. "You just want to study her tonsils..."

For once in her life Maddie didn't feel very hungry as the platters in front of her filled themselves with every kind of food imaginable.

"You're not hungry?" Ethan asked her.

"Only a little," she answered.

"It's really good food," Ethan said encouragingly. "Not as good as your Nana's, but good just the same."

He was being nice to her now, and this made Maddie feel better. "What's your favourite thing to eat here?" she asked.

"The beef stew is really good," Ethan said after pondering her question. "And wait until you try the pumpkin pie."

"Okay," Maddie said, smiling a bit.

"Hey how's Dolly?" Ethan asked. "Too bad you couldn't bring her with you."

Maddie's tentative smile fell.

"What's wrong?" Ethan asked. "Did something happen to her?"

"Well..." Maddie said, her hair falling into her face. "Daddy told me she ran away but I think she died."

"I'm sorry," Ethan said genuinely. "I know how much you loved her."

Maddie fought against the tears that welled up in her eyes. "She was my best friend."

"She was a pretty cool pixie," Ethan said sympathetically. "And you did have her for quite a long time, Maddie. "

"I know," Maddie said. "She liked you Ethan."

"Who wouldn't?" Ethan said puffing out his chest. Maddie giggled. "Feeling better?"

"A little," she said. "Thanks Ethan. I'm glad you're here."

"No problem," Ethan said. "Eat up, Weasley."

"It is what we do best in my family," she said, loading up her plate.

Ethan laughed but suddenly turned quite serious. Maddie looked up to see what caused the transformation.

"Hi, Ethan," Jessica said shyly. "How were your hols?"

"Fine," Ethan was bright red.

She fidgeted and bit her bottom lip. "Um, I can't believe I'm asking you this..."

"What?" he asked hopefully.

"You're really great at flying," Jessica said. "And I was hoping that maybe you could help me out. You don't have to, of course, but I'm really bad..."

"I'd love to!" Ethan said eagerly.

Justin covered his mouth with his napkin to keep from laughing.

"That's great," Jessica said her cheeks pink. She looked at Maddie. "Congratulations on making it into Gryffindor. I knew your sister, Drew. How's she doing?"

"Fine," Maddie said.

"You have the prettiest hair," Jessica said smiling at her. "Much nicer than mine."

"You have really pretty hair, Jess," Ethan said smiling at her.

"Thanks," Jessica blushed. "Um... I know I'm in Ravenclaw but maybe you could walk me to my dorm after dinner?"

"Sure," Ethan replied. "I'd love to."

"Great," Jessica said beaming at him. "Maddie, if you need any help at all, just let me know. I remember how it was being a first-year."

"Thank you," Maddie said, unable to dislike this girl.

"So, I guess I'll catch up to you after the feast?" Jessica asked Ethan.

"Right," Ethan said, his face so red it was nearly purple as Jessica leaned over and gave Ethan a kiss on the cheek.

"Bye," Jessica said giving him a little wave before walking back to the Ravenclaw table.

"Way to go, mate," Justin said. "That was smooth."

"Hey she likes me back," Ethan said, helping himself to a second serving of roast beef. "I never thought she would."

"You didn't?" Maddie asked before she could stop herself.

Ethan looked over at her. "No," he said. "I mean, until now we never really talked..." he mumbled.

"She's nice," Maddie said. "I didn't know she knew Drew."

"They were friends," Ethan said.

"Drew Weasley's your sister?" Justin asked.

Ethan rolled his eyes. "Justin, her last name is Weasley---"

"She's hot," Justin said grinning. "And Darla..."

Ethan threw a roll at his friend. "Not in front of her sister, mate."

"They're going to open their own business," Maddie said, remembering what her sisters had been talking about. "They're going to plan weddings for people."

"They going to stay in Ireland?" Ethan asked.

"For now," Maddie nodded.

"That's pretty cool," Ethan said.

"I promised Saffy I'd write to her," Maddie said conversationally to Ethan. "She...she wanted me to make sure that you'd write too."

"She actually tried to sneak on the train," Ethan said with a laugh. "Dad caught her at the last minute."

Maddie giggled. "She's so funny."

"She's pretty cool for an annoying little sister," Ethan said.

***End Flashback***

Saffron hit her brother on the shoulder. "I am NOT annoying," she informed him. "I never have been."

RJ let out a huge guffaw. "Right."

"You have your moments," Ethan said rubbing his shoulder. "Ow, Saf!"

"So you liked another girl beside Aunt Maddie?" Caroline was eager for Ethan to get back to the tale at hand.

"He liked many girls before me," Maddie teased.

"How come?" Katie asked.

"It took me awhile to catch on that Maddie was the one," Ethan told his niece.

"Do you think I'll like other boys before I find a husband?" Caroline asked.

"I'm sure you will," Maddie said putting an arm around her. "And you'll know when the right one comes along."

"How?" the girls were hanging on to their every word.

"Well," Maddie said thoughtfully. "You'll get this feeling in your stomach every time you see him. You know, you'll feel all dizzy and warm inside."

"You mean like you want to throw up?" Caroline asked.

Maddie laughed. "Like butterflies."

"Ohhh..." Caroline nodded in understanding.

"Do you feel that way when you look at Maddie?" Katie asked her uncle.

"All the time," Ethan grinned at his fiancée.

"Good answer, Uncle Ethan," Katie said smiling at him.

"Were you nervous on your first day at Hogwarts?" Ashley asked Saffron.

"A little," Saffron answered. "But then I met Lexie on the train."

"I was petrified," Alexa confided. "I didn't know anyone or anything."

"We managed," Saffron grinned. "Especially when we both got into Gryffindor."

"I wish I was the same age as Katie," Caroline said. "That way we could go to Hogwarts together."

"Look at it this way," Maddie told her niece. "You'll already have a friend there when you go and Katie can show you around."

"I bet we both get in Gryffindor too," Katie said.

"Like our mums," Caroline said grinning at her.

"Right," Katie smiled back. "I can't wait!"

"How about you, Ash?" Ethan asked. "Before too long, you'll be going."

"I don't really care what house I'm in," Ashley replied. "I just want to be able to do my art while I'm at school."

"There are some really beautiful landscapes around the castle," Maddie said.

"I can't wait to paint them all," Ashley said, fingering her sketchbook and pencils that were never too far from her grasp.

"Ash is working on something special for your wedding," Julie told her brother.

"But I'm not telling you what it is," Ashley said grinning at Ethan and Maddie.

"Oh come on Ash," Ethan coaxed. "A little hint?"

"You'll be able to hang it up," Ashley replied. "But that's all you’re getting from me."

Ethan laughed. "I'm sure we'll love it."

"She's worked really hard on it," Julie said proudly. "I don't know where she gets the artistic talent. I can't even draw a stick figure."

"Greta used to tell me I drew when I was younger," Nick said with his arm around his wife. "But then I got into singing."

"Who's Greta?" Gabriel asked rejoining the group.

"My former nanny," Saffron said. "Julie stole her from me."

"Saffy!" Julie exclaimed.

"You did," Saffron said.

"Don't listen to her Gabe," Ethan said. "Saffron was too old for a nanny when Greta went to work for Nick and Julie."

"And she was my nanny since I was born," Nick added. He shared a look with Ethan, who nodded. "And I think my sister in law here needs a little dunking..." he and Ethan grabbed Saffron's arms.

"Guys," Saffron said warningly. "Wait! Put me down!"

"No way," Ethan laughed. "You asked for it Saf."

"I'll get her legs," RJ volunteered.

"RJ!" Saffron exclaimed.

"I'll help," Andrew said mischievously.

"Andrew Randolph Kirke Junior," Saffron said glaring at him. "So help me, if you do---"

"Can someone get her mouth?" RJ asked.

"What can I carry?" Gabriel was laughing.

"And the best thing," Ethan said. "She can't do magic outside of school...."

"You wait until I can!" Saffron shrieked.

"You'll have forgotten about this by then," Ethan said dismissively.

"Want to bet?" Saffron asked squirming.

"Come on guys," RJ said eagerly. "Let's go drop her in the water."

The younger children ran after them giggling all the way.

"Saf get wet!" Emma called out excitedly. Alexa grabbed the little girl's hand. "Come on, let me pick you up so you can see better, Em."

"I'm going to kill you all!" Saffron screamed.

Ethan and Nick carried her into the water and RJ and Andrew let go of her legs.

"On the count of three," Nick said. "One....two..."

"THREE!" everyone called out.

Alexa laughed as did Emma as the guys tossed Saffron into the waves.

Gabriel stood back with Alexa as Saffron stood up, soaking wet.

"That look on her face reminds me of that movie Carrie," Gabriel whispered to Alexa.

"You're about to see a very angry Saffron," Alexa whispered back.

"Scary," Emma said burying her face in Alexa's shoulder.

Alexa giggled and patted Emma's back as Saffron stalked out of the water.

Saffron was so angry she couldn't even begin to think of anything to say. She pointed her finger accusingly at her brother and brother-in-law.

"Looks a bit like a drowned rat, doesn't she?" Nick asked Ethan.

"I think that was the wrong thing to say mate..." Ethan had never seen his sister's eyes so dark.

"Saf, it was just a joke," Nick said hastily. "Come on..."

"You..." Saffron's voice was shaking in anger. "And you two," she pointed at RJ and Andrew. "Are so dead..."

"It was just a joke, Saffy," Andrew said. "Come on, let's get you dried off."

Saffron nearly growled at him and stormed up the beach towards the house, flinging her wet hair back.

Harry, Hermione, Ron, Luna and Lavender and Seamus had been inside the house and missed most of the fireworks outside. When Saffron stalked into the house, Harry and Hermione exchanged a look.

"Saffron Grace, what happened to you?" Hermione asked.

"Those wankers threw me into the ocean!" Saffron fumed.

Hermione grabbed one of the beach towels and wrapped it around her daughter. "You're soaked, Saffron!"

"Blame your son," Saffron's teeth were clenched otherwise they'd be chattering. "And all his stupid little boys out there!"

Harry tried not to laugh. "Want me to say something to him?"

"Yes!" Saffron exclaimed. "I want you to castrate them all!"

"Saffron," Harry chuckled. "Come on sweetheart..." he cast a warming charm on the towel. "That feel better?"

"A little," Saffron said. "But I still think castration is the way to go."

Hermione went to the door. "Ethan James!" she called. "Get in here now!"

Ethan had flashbacks of his childhood when he heard his mother's voice. "Be back in a minute, Mads."

"It's been nice knowing you," Maddie said patting his shoulder.

Ethan put his most charming smile on his face as he went to the house. "Mum," he began. "We thought it might be fun to take a night time swim and Saffron went in first."

"YOU BLOODY LIAR!" Saffron shrieked.

"Nick and I were just having a bit of fun with Saf is all," Ethan said truthfully.

"FUN?" Saffron asked angrily. "That bloody HURT you know!"

"We just dropped you in the water," Ethan said. "How could you have gotten hurt? You're being a little overdramatic, Saffron."

"You dropped me on my side!" Saffron snapped. "And it was in shallow water you idiot!"

Ethan felt bad when he heard this. "Saf--"

"Maybe we should get Lizzy to take a look at your leg," Hermione said shooting a disappointed look at her son.

"Mum--" Ethan stammered.

"I've got a bruise and everything," Saffron pulled the waist of her soaking wet jeans down a bit. "Right on my hip."

"Harry, would you look at this!" Hermione exclaimed.

"It doesn't look that bad, Hermione," Harry said earning glares from both his wife and daughter.

"It was really an accident Saffy," Ethan felt bad. Nick, RJ and Andrew were now standing in the doorway as well. "We were just having a bit of fun- we didn't want to hurt you."

"It's always fun until someone gets hurt," Hermione said disparagingly. She put her arm around her daughter. "Come on, Saffron. Let's get you in some warm clothes."

"Thanks, Mum," Saffron said leaning against her.

"We didn't mean to hurt her," RJ came into the kitchen. "Really we didn't--"

"She just made a crack about Greta and we had some fun with her," Nick said.

Harry shook his head. "She's on that again is she?"

"She was just joking," Andrew said in Saffron's defence. "Sir, she didn't mean anything by it."

RJ glared at his friend. "You were right with us in throwing her in Andrew."

"Not really," Andrew said to Harry. "I was behind them actually..."

"Its okay, Andrew," Harry reassured him. "Saffron will get over this...eventually."

"Eventually is what I'm afraid of," Andrew grimaced.

"RJ, that wasn't a very nice thing to do," Luna said folding her arms.

"Mum it was a joke," RJ protested.

"Saffron didn't find it very funny," Luna said shaking her head. "Come on, Lavender. Let's go upstairs and leave the 'children'."

Andrew followed the women upstairs. He knew Saffron would probably take his head off but he wanted her to know he was sorry.

Saffron was running a brush through her hair. She'd changed into her pyjamas and she was still fuming.

"Do boys ever grow up, Mum?" she asked. "I saw Daddy down there trying not to laugh."

"Unfortunately not sweetheart," Hermione was looking at the bruise on her daughter's hip. "I think this will be okay. I'll see if Lizzy knows a charm or potion we can use for it to make it go away faster."

"You're the best, Mum," Saffron said giving her a hug. "Even if you did give birth to that----that----Ethan."

Hermione smiled and kissed the side of her daughter's head. "You're my sweet girl Saffy."

"Dad's about as immature as Ethan sometimes," Saffron said shaking her head. "I bet they're both down there laughing."

"I'll make sure they aren't," Hermione said. "And I'll go see if Lizzy has that potion."

"Thanks," Saffron said walking over to her closet to get her dressing gown. There was a light knocking on her door. "Did you forget something Mum?"

"It's me," Andrew said. "Can I come in Saffy?"

"Go away," Saffron called out.

"Please?" he asked.

Saffron swung open the door. "Come to see my bruise?" she asked angrily.

"Saffy I'm really sorry," Andrew said contritely. "You know I'd never hurt you."

Saffron looked away. Andrew was impossible to stay mad at especially when he gazed at her with his big brown eyes like that.

He reached for her hand. "I'll make it up to you," he offered.

Despite herself, Saffron smiled back at him. "You're lucky that I love you."

"I love you too," he said, relieved that she seemed to be forgiving him.

"I'll go easy on you," Saffron said sweetly. "When I carry out my revenge...”

"Revenge?" he winced.

Saffron nodded. "Nick, Ethan and RJ won't know what hit them."

Andrew pulled her close. "This makes me really glad you love me."

Saffron smiled. "You're a lucky one, Andrew Kirke."

"I'm lucky because you're my girlfriend," Andrew said softly.

Saffron brushed her lips against his. "I love you, Andrew. Even though you did help them throw me in the ocean."

"I'll let you throw me in the ocean," he offered, kissing her back. "Or push me off the side of the boat."

"There's an idea," Saffron giggled.

"I promise not to complain," he stroked her cheek. "I'm really, really sorry Saffy. I don't want to fight with you."

"Making up can be so much fun though," Saffron said her arms snaking around his waist.

Harry cleared his throat from the doorway.

"Hi, Daddy," Saffron said stepping away from Andrew.

"Lizzy thought this would help your bruise," Harry said.

"I'll, um, see you downstairs, Saffy," Andrew said squeezing her hand.

"Okay," she said smiling dreamily at him.

Harry looked at his daughter. "Are you all right?"

"I'm a little sore," Saffron said quietly.

"I'll get you some ice," Andrew said as he descended the stairs.

"You thought it was funny, didn't you?" Saffron asked her father.

"Of course not," Harry said. "I don't like it when you're hurt."

"You said it didn't look that bad," Saffron reminded him.

"I thought you were being a little overdramatic," Harry held his hands up as Saffron went to apply the potion.

Saffron rolled her eyes and applied the potion on her bruise. "Mum understands a lot better than you."

"I'm sorry baby," Harry said. "I really don't like you hurt."

"Ethan's too old to get into trouble so it doesn't matter," Saffron said.

"Well your mum's down there right now giving him and Nick a right talking to," Harry's lips twitched. "It's actually rather amusing."

"But not you, right?" Saffron asked. "I bet before you came up here, you were down there laughing with them and talking about what a spoiled brat I am, right?"

"Saffron Grace," Harry frowned at his daughter.

"I'd really like to be alone right now, Dad," Saffron said sitting down on her bed.

"All right," Harry said. "And I don't mind if Andrew's up here, but you keep the door open if he's in here, got it?"

Saffron didn't reply. If Ethan had been her age and he'd wanted to be alone with a girl, she imagined there wouldn't be a problem with him having the door open. "Tell Mum I'd like to see her."

"Saffron Grace," Harry said. "I want the door left open, do you understand me?"

"Loud and clear," Saffron replied.

Harry shook his head before leaving his daughter in her room.

Andrew passed Harry on the stairs. "I'm just going to give Saffy the ice pack, Sir."

Harry nodded. "She told me she wants to be alone, but perhaps she'll let you stick around."

"I won't be in there long," Andrew promised.

Harry smiled at the young man and patted his shoulder before heading downstairs.

Saffron looked up when Andrew walked into her bedroom.

"Thanks," she said when he handed her the ice pack.

"It's almost a war zone down there," Andrew said. "Your mum's really giving it to Ethan and Nick."

"My mum's great," Saffron said. "My father, on the other hand...the biggest hypocrite in the world."

"Come on," Andrew sat down next to her. "He was worried about you too."

"He has a really funny way of showing it," Saffron scoffed. "And he wonders why I don't tell him anything..."

"You weren't down there when he told Ethan off," Andrew said. "You were up here with your mum already."

"He's never told Ethan off," Saffron said. "Ethan's the golden boy."

"Saffy," Andrew shook his head. "You've got to be kidding me- your dad doesn't prefer your brother over you!"

"Ethan gets away with murder, Andrew," Saffron said. "He always has. You know that Dad never batted an eyelash when Ethan started dating. But he nearly follows Julie on her first date and he scared poor Peter and Sean half to death because they had the nerve to fancy me. And he thinks any boy who does has some sort of agenda....I'm just sick of it."

"That's because you and Julie are his daughters," Andrew told her. "I think it's like a father's rite of passage or something like that."

Saffron shrugged and stood up. She walked over to the door and shut it.

"What are you doing?" Andrew asked hesitantly. "Saf--"

"I don't care what he says," she pushed him down on the bed and climbed on top of him.

"Saf--I don't want him to kill me," Andrew said gently trying to push her away.

"He won't," Saffron pressed her lips to his.

"Saffy," Andrew said breathlessly, but his words were cut off by her urgent kisses.

She guided his hands underneath her pyjama top, her skin warming under his touch.

Andrew knew they were playing with fire but the way Saffron was touching him, he forgot that the most powerful wizard in the world was just downstairs.

"Mmmm..." she murmured, her lips still fused to his. "You are the best kisser..."

"You are," Andrew said softly.

"I love you," she said breathlessly.

"I love you too," he said his hands fisting in her hair.

She kissed him again, sweeping her tongue into his mouth while running her hands down his chest.

"Oh Saffy," Andrew choked out.

"Feel good?" Saffron asked, grinning devilishly at him.

"Feels great," Andrew said kissing her.

Saffron whimpered as his hands moved over her body.

"You're amazing," he whispered against her skin.

"I don't want to stop," she said. Her whole body was hot and she couldn't stop trembling.

"W-what?" Andrew asked not sure if he'd heard her correctly.

"This feels too good Andrew," Saffron pulled back just a bit. "I don't want it to go away."

"We should stop though," Andrew said reluctantly. "Your mum and dad are just downstairs---"

"But I don't want to," she insisted.

"We---" Andrew started to say, but the bedroom door flung open. Andrew nearly sprang away from Saffron as he looked up to see Harry Potter standing in the doorway.

"Saffron Grace!" Harry said, his green eyes blazing.

"Yeah?" Saffron asked defiantly.

"What did I just tell you about the door before I left?" he snapped, crossing his arms. Andrew nearly cowered as he pushed Saffron away and jumped off the bed.

"Maybe the breeze blew it shut," Saffron said sarcastically.

"Andrew I want to speak to my daughter alone," Harry said coldly.

Andrew nodded and grabbed his shoes. He shot Saffron a pleading look before walking out of the bedroom.

Harry cast a silencing charm on the room. "You," he began. "Are grounded. For the rest of the summer."

Saffron rolled her eyes. "Am I?"

"Yes," Harry said furiously. "I am sick and tired of your attitude young lady."

"I'm not too happy with yours," Saffron said glaring at him. "I wish I wasn't your daughter!"

Harry looked stricken at her words.

"You have no idea what its like," Saffron said with tears in her eyes.

"Oh your life is just so difficult isn't it?" Harry said. "You get whatever you want- whenever you want. You have two parents and a brother and sister who love you more than anything, as well as two nieces who think the world of you. Tell me how difficult things are for you!"

"Dad--" Saffron started to say.

"You've never known what it's like to grow up without being loved," Harry said angrily. "So I don't want to hear one word about how life is difficult for YOU!" he went to the door. "You're grounded to this room tomorrow. You can come out to use the loo and to eat but that's IT! And Andrew is not to come in here anymore. Do you understand me?"

"Yes sir," Saffron said wiping at her eyes.

Harry undid the silencing charm and slammed the door behind him.

Saffron curled up in a ball and sobbed into her pillow. She hadn't meant to say those horrible things to her father.

Hermione came into the room several minutes later. "Sweetheart what happened? Your father just stormed out of the house looking like he wanted to kill someone."

Saffron sobbed harder into her pillow unable to speak.

"Saffy--" Hermione said sitting down on the bed and patting her daughter's back. "Sweetheart?"

"Dad just yelled at me," Saffron bawled. "And I said some horrible things to him too."

"Why did he yell at you?" Hermione asked.

Saffron buried her face in her pillow again.

"I'm going to hear it from him eventually," Hermione said patting her soothingly on the back.

"I had Andrew in here," Saffron said in a shuddery voice. "And I closed the door because I was mad at Dad for laughing at me downstairs and always trying to boss me around when he lets Ethan do whatever he wants."

"Saffron--" Hermione said. "Ethan's a grown man. You are 16 years old."

"So?" Saffron sat up, her eyes swollen and red. "He still gets away with everything!"

"Ethan got in trouble plenty growing up," Hermione said.

Saffron wasn't convinced.

"So because of this you defied your father's wishes and closed the door while Andrew was in here?" Hermione asked.

"Because of everything!" Saffron said. "Dad always has to know where I am and what I'm doing. He calls all the time when I'm out on a date. He's hated my last two boyfriends and he probably hates Andrew now too!"

"He doesn't hate Andrew," Hermione reassured her. "He likes him very much, actually. And your father worries about you because you're his baby. He's just looking out for you, Saffron."

Saffron looked out the window. "I didn't mean to say what I said to him," her eyes filled with tears again. "I said I wished I wasn't his daughter. It just slipped out before I could stop myself from saying it."

"Saffron!"

"I know!" Saffron started crying again. "I'm horrible."

Hermione stood behind her daughter. "You're not horrible, Saffron Grace. But you realise that what you said hurt your father very much."

Saffron nodded wordlessly.

"He loves you and Ethan and Julie so much," Hermione said. "He's hated that you had to grow up under this sort of limelight, but we both tried to give you as normal a childhood as possible."

Saffron nodded. "I know you have," she wiped at her eyes as Hermione sat back down next to her.

"You and your father have always been so close," Hermione said.

"He probably won't even want to look at me now," Saffron tried to calm herself down.

"Give him some time to cool off," Hermione said giving her a hug. "You're very special to him, Saffron."

"I'm so sorry Mum," Saffron buried her face in her mother's shoulder like she was six instead of sixteen.

"I know baby," Hermione said softly. "It's going to be okay."

Saffron nodded as she heard a scratching sound at her door. "I think Puddles wants to come in."

Hermione smiled. "He knows you're hurting."

"He's my baby," Saffron let her puppy into the room.

"I'm going to go and check on your dad," Hermione said. "I'll stop back in before I go to bed, okay?"

Saffron nodded. "Thanks Mum. I love you."

"I love you too," Hermione said kissing her on the forehead. "You get some sleep, okay?"

Saffron nodded. "Tell Andrew I'm sorry about what happened okay?"

"I will," Hermione promised. She walked out of her daughter's bedroom and down the stairs. Ron said Harry was out on the beach in one of his moods. Hermione grabbed her jumper from the sofa and then set off to find her husband. She found him sitting on one of the sand dunes looking out at the ocean.

"Hey," she said quietly.

"Hi," Harry said shortly.

"Want some company?" Hermione asked.

Harry sighed. "Sure," he replied, looking over at his wife.

"Want to talk about it?" Hermione asked after a few moments silence.

"She told me she wished she wasn’t my daughter," Harry said.

"You know she didn't mean it," Hermione said putting a hand on his arm. "She feels terrible about it, Harry."

"I'm not just pissed about that," Harry said. "After I told her we didn't want her in the room with Andrew with the door closed, she deliberately disobeyed me."

"She shouldn't have done that," Hermione said choosing her words carefully. "She told me that she's feeling like you're too overprotective where she's concerned and she feels that we let Ethan get away with quite a bit when he was growing up."

"How does she even remember that?" Harry asked. "She was a young child when he was in his teens."

"I think she may have a point," Hermione said. She held up her hand when Harry started to protest. "I'm not saying that I agree with what she did, Harry. I'm just thinking that there is a bit of a double standard with daughters and sons. You didn't worry when Ethan started to date, did you?"

"Well no," Harry said. "But Ethan's a guy Hermione- I'm sure his girlfriends' parents were the same way I am with Saffy and Julie."

"So, if Ethan had been upstairs with a girl with the door closed, you'd have been okay with that?" Hermione asked him.

Harry paused. "Well... no."

"Did you ring Ethan every hour whenever he went out on dates?" Hermione asked.

"No," Harry said snappishly.

"I don't condone what she did, Harry," Hermione said gently.

"Neither do I Hermione," Harry said. "When I walked in she was sitting on TOP of him."

"Bit of a shock, eh?" Hermione asked.

Harry shook his head. "More than you know."

"And you grounded her," Hermione said. "Which I agree with given what she did, Harry."

"She isn't to leave that room tomorrow," Harry said.

Hermione nodded and rested her head on his shoulder. "She's growing up, Harry. We can't stop that."

"I know that Hermione," Harry said impatiently.

"I'm not saying that we give her free reign to do what she wants," Hermione said. "She needs to know that there are boundaries, of course."

"I've tried to set them," Harry said, rubbing at his eyes under his glasses. "And she defies me. She blatantly gives me attitude all the time and I brush it off because I remember feeling the way she must when I was sixteen. But when she pulls things like this it's gone too far."

"So the three of us should have a long talk then," Hermione suggested. "Harry, you know she didn't mean what she said before. She loves you."

"Yeah I know," Harry softened. "It's just hard to hear that sort of thing."

"I know," Hermione said wrapping her arms around him. "You are a great father, Harry."

"I try," Harry kissed his wife. "And you're a wonderful mum."

"Let's go inside," she said smiling at him. "It's cold out here."

"All right," Harry agreed.

"All teenagers go through things like this," Hermione said. "Cho said you were a right terror at 16."

"Cho says a lot of things," Harry hid his smile.

"Yes she does," Hermione said with a laugh.

"We'll talk to her tomorrow," Harry said. "I'm exhausted now."

"Me too," Hermione said leaning against him.

They peeked into the kitchen and bid everyone who was still up a good night before retiring to their bedroom.

"I promised I'd check on Saffron before we went to bed," Hermione said.

"All right," Harry said. "Will you tell her I love her?"

"You could come with me," Hermione said taking his hand. "Come on...just to say good night."

"All right," Harry said, following his wife.

Saffron was lying in her bed reading a book with Puddles lying beside her.

"Daddy," Saffron said quietly. "I--I'm so sorry."

"I'm sorry too," Harry sat down and stroked her hair back. "We'll talk tomorrow all right? Calmly and rationally."

"I'm glad you’re my dad," she said hugging him.

"And I'm glad you're my daughter," Harry kissed her forehead. "I'll always be glad you're my baby."

"Even after tonight?" she asked biting her bottom lip.

"Always," Harry said firmly. "I love you sweetheart."

"I love you too," she said. "I acted like a spoiled brat tonight."

"Maybe a little," Harry smiled at her. "But we'll work it all out tomorrow."

"Okay," Saffron agreed. "Dad? Don't blame Andrew for me closing the door. He wanted to stop but I wouldn't let him."

"We'll talk about it tomorrow," Harry said. "Good night, Saffy."

"Night," Saffron hugged her mother before sliding underneath the covers.

Harry and Hermione headed for the door, but Saffron called them back.

"Daddy, I really am sorry," she said softly.

"I know sweetheart," Harry said. "I'm sorry too."

Hermione followed her husband back to their own bedroom. "What a night."

"You can say that again," Harry shook his head. "I don't remember it being this hard to raise a teenager."

Hermione grabbed her nightgown out of the wardrobe. "They were all a little rebellious around this age," Hermione said. "Remember when Ethan wanted to get a tattoo? And Julie thought it would be a great idea to get into the Firewhisky?"

Harry chuckled. "I think sometimes Saffy's just too much like me."

"She is," Hermione agreed. "She definitely is your little girl."

"Tomorrow we'll work it all out," Harry said as they got into bed. "I want to have a talk with Andrew as well. I'm not going to yell at him," he put his hand up when Hermione opened her mouth. "I just want to talk with him."

"He looked really embarrassed Harry," Hermione said. "I think he's a little cross with Saffron, too."

Harry set his glasses on the nightstand. "What's our life without drama?"

"Boring," Hermione said cuddling up to him.

"And what's life without a little rabbit action?" Harry kissed her.

"I never want to find out," Hermione said grinning impishly at him.

112. 112!!!

Sorry this chapter’s a bit late- I had to work late and Amy’s out of town. But we do hope you’ll enjoy this chapter! And thank you guys SOOOO much for all the reviews last chapter, we were totally astounded and EXCITED at the amount!

You guys ROCK! Thank you for reviewing!

Frankie Barron currently was not a happy woman. What she'd thought was the Wizarding flu had persisted and she'd been ill every day for several weeks.

"Here," Will came in with some dry toast. "Maybe you can keep this down sweetheart."

"Ugh, Will," Frankie groaned. "I don't want to eat anything."

"You need something," Will told her. "I'm really getting worried about you Frankie."

"You and me both," Frankie said reluctantly taking the plate. "Could you get me some juice to wash it down with, please?"

"Sure," Will kissed her forehead.

Frankie took a small bite out of the toast and then opened up her planner to see what meetings would need to be rescheduled. There would be nothing more embarrassing than throwing up in front of the team owner. As her eyes scanned the calendar, she felt a sick feeling in her stomach. Had it really been that long since her last period?

"Here's some orange juice," Will came back into the room. "Thought it might sit better than apple or grapefruit."

"What?" Frankie asked absently.

"Juice..." Will said looking over her shoulder. "What's wrong baby?"

"Don't say that word," Frankie said looking up at him in horror.

Will frowned. "What?" he was confused.

"Oh no," Frankie said shaking her head. "No, no, no..."

"Frankie," Will sat down. "Now you're really scaring me..."

"Will," Frankie said quietly. "I think there's a chance I could be...oh Merlin, I can't say it!"

"Say what?" Will asked, his tone starting to sound slightly impatient.

"Pregnant," Frankie whispered putting her head in her hands.

Will stared at his wife for a few moments. "Frankie you're pregnant?" he asked excitedly.

"I hope not!" Frankie exclaimed.

"Why not?" Will asked. "Frankie we could be having a baby! This is great news!"

Frankie glared at him. "You've got to be kidding me! Great news? Will, I don't want to get fat! I don't want to have to worry about some baby when I can barely take care of myself."

"You're taking fine care of yourself," Will argued. "Frankie--"

"I can't believe this!" Frankie interjected. She shook her head. "That one time! You said it would be fun to be spontaneous! I should never have listened to you!"

"Frankie this isn't a bad thing!" Will couldn't believe she was acting like this.

"Will--"

"Let's take you to the hospital for a test," Will said.

Frankie nodded. "I'm scared, Will."

He sighed. "You have no reason to be," he sat down again. "Frankie, you might be having our child."

"That's what scares me," Frankie said throwing her arms around him.

Will held his wife close. "Why?" he asked.

"I'd be a terrible mum," Frankie sobbed into his shoulder.

"That's completely untrue," Will replied. "You're wonderful with your nieces and nephews."

"But they're not my kids," Frankie argued. "We can play with them and then send them home. You don't understand because you want to be a dad, but I don't think I have that thing that makes women want to be a mother. It's not me, Will."

"I think you'd change your mind once you see your own child," Will told her.

Frankie wasn't so sure. "What are we going to do?"

"We're going to get you tested," Will said firmly. "And if you are pregnant we'll go from there."

"Okay," Frankie said reluctantly letting go of him. "I'll just go and get changed then."

Will watched her go. He wouldn't admit to her how much it hurt when she would be so adamant about them not having a baby.

Nearly a half hour later, they found themselves in a waiting room at St. Mungos. Frankie was filling out some preliminary paper work while Will looked around the waiting room.

"How's it going?" he asked her.

"Okay," Frankie said scribbling some medical information down on the forms. She didn't see Will looking at a little girl playing with some blocks just a few feet away from them.

"Look Mummy!" the little girl said holding up the block for her mother to see.

"What letter is that sweetheart?" the mother asked her.

The little girl looked at the block and grinned. "G, Mummy."

"Good!" the mother brushed a wisp of hair out of her eyes. "You're my smart girl!"

"She's cute isn't she?" Will asked his wife.

"What?" Frankie asked. "Oh... sure..." she said distractedly.

"I hope Dorie's not bothering you," the little girl's mother apologised. "She loves playing with her blocks."

"I used to love playing with blocks too," Will said kneeling down beside the girl. "You want to build a tower?"

"Okay!" Dorie said happily. "A big tower!"

"Okay," Will chuckled. "A big tower."

Frankie returned the forms to the desk and sat down again, grabbing a magazine off the table next to her.

"Try this one," Will said handing the little girl a block.

"It's a T," Dorie informed him.

Will smiled and pinched her nose. "Smart girl."

Dorie giggled. "My daddy says I'm the smartest girl!"

The girl's mother grinned at Frankie. "Your man is so good with children. Do you have one of your own at home?"

"No," Frankie said quickly.

"You're still young," the woman said. "Plenty of time for that."

"I guess," Frankie said uneasily.

A nurse came in and called for Dorie's mother and Will frowned. "Maybe we can finish this another time, Dorie."

"Okay," the little girl said waving at him. "Bye, Mr. Will!"

"Bye Dorie," Will grinned. "I had fun playing with you!"

Frankie flipped through the magazine as Will came back to sit beside her.

"Reminds me of Mia," Will said grinning at Frankie.

"Sure," Frankie nodded, tossing the magazine aside.

"Frankie," Will said reaching for her hand. "It's going to be fine."

Frankie shook her head. "If I'm pregnant, I'm not going to be happy. If I'm not, you'll be unhappy. We can't win."

"Francesca, you will be a fantastic mum," Will reassured her. "I don't know why you aren't happy about this. Come on---a little girl or boy to call our own."

"I just never saw myself with kids all right?" Frankie replied testily.

Will threw up his hands. "Okay---you don't have to bite my head off, you know."

"I'm sorry," she apologised. "I'm just scared."

Will put an arm around her. "I'm going to be right here with you, no matter what."

"I know," she leaned against him. "I got lucky getting you."

"I'm the lucky one," Will said kissing the side of her head.

Several minutes later Frankie was clad in a hospital robe while she and Will waited for the healer to come into the room. "I hate how long they make you wait," he joked, trying to make her laugh. "You'd think once you got in the exam room, they'd be right here."

"We should talk to Lizzy about that," Frankie said with a slight laugh.

Will rubbed her shoulders. "You still holding up okay?"

"As best as I can," Frankie replied. "I'm glad you're here."

"I wouldn't let you do this alone," he reassured her. "Frankie, either way, things are going to be all right."

Frankie nodded.

The door opened and a familiar face greeted them. "Hello, Mrs. Barron," Pansy Parkinson said smiling warmly at her. "Mr. Barron."

"Hi," Will smiled. They knew Pansy through Hermione- she'd treated Saffron since the teenager had been a baby.

Pansy read Frankie's chart. "So when was the last time you had your cycle, Frankie?"

"It's been awhile," Frankie said quietly.

"Okay," Pansy said nodding. "And you've had bouts of nausea?"

"Almost all the time," Frankie twisted her gown.

"Right," Pansy said. "Okay, if you'll just lay back for me, Frankie."

Frankie was trembling but she laid down on the table.

Will squeezed her hand as Pansy began the examination. Frankie closed her eyes so she wouldn't have to see what was going on, as if willing it all to go away.

"We thought at first she might have the flu," Will said. "But she's been sick for a few weeks now."

"The flu is going around," Pansy said as she waved her wand over Frankie's abdomen. "Relax, Frankie."

"Sorry," Frankie said. "I'm just really nervous."

"Understandable," Pansy said smiling reassuringly at her.

Will squeezed his wife's hand. "It's all right Frankie."

Pansy finished the examination and scribbled something on Frankie's chart.

"Well?" Frankie asked sitting up.

"You're not pregnant," Pansy replied.

"I'm not?" Frankie said brightly. "Really?"

"No, you're not," Pansy said. "I think you just have a touch of the flu. I can give you some healing potions that can help with the nausea."

"That's wonderful," Frankie said. "Thank you so much!"

"I'll leave the prescription at the front desk for you," Pansy said. "And if you need anything else, just send me an owl."

"We will," Frankie already felt better. "Thank you so much."

Will looked away, unable to hide his disappointment.

Frankie didn't notice her husband's reaction as she pulled on her clothes. "Well," she said. "This is--"

"We should probably go by the chemist and fill that prescription," Will said quietly. "We can do that before we go home."

"Right," Frankie picked up her bag.

"Mr. Will!" Dorie squealed when she saw him and Frankie leaving the examining room. "I thought we'd missed you. I wanted to give you this!"

Will forced a smile onto his face. "Hi again Dorie," he squatted down so he was eye level with her.

"You can give these two to your baby," Dorie said handing him two blocks---one with the letter "F" and the other with the letter "W".

"Oh..." Will said. "Well, I'm not quite going to be a daddy yet, but when I am, I'll be sure and give these to my baby all right?" he ruffled the little girl's hair.

"You'll be a good Daddy," Dorie said smiling at him.

"Thank you sweetheart," Will smiled back. "I appreciate that. You're a lovely girl- my nieces would love you."

"Come along, Dorie," her mother said.

"Bye, Mr. Will!" Dorie said waving at him before running to catch up to her mother.

"Bye Dorie," Will watched her leave as Frankie finished paying.

"Ready to go?" Frankie asked.

"Sure," he said quietly. "Let's go."

"I am feeling better already," Frankie said linking arms with him. "I might even be able to go into work tomorrow."

"That's great," Will replied looking away from his wife. Her excitement over not being pregnant upset him.

"And I know you don't want to play nursemaid to me," Frankie said. "If you wanted to into the office this afternoon, I wouldn't mind."

"Maybe I will," he shrugged away and walked on ahead.

"Will---" Frankie called after him. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing," Will said. "Let's just get to the chemist."

"You're disappointed," Frankie said reaching for his arm. "Will, you said you'd be okay either way, remember?"

"Do you have to be so bloody happy about it?" Will looked at her.

"What?" Frankie asked taken aback.

"In the office you were practically turning cartwheels you were so happy about not being pregnant." Will replied.

"Will, we're not ready to be parents," Frankie said gently. "We said we would wait until we were both ready and to tell you the truth, I'm not ready. And I don't know if I ever will be."

"Why?" Will shook his head. "What is so wrong about being parents?"

"What's so wrong about NOT wanting to be parents?" Frankie asked. "Lavender never had any children and she and Seamus are very happy. Having kids doesn't have to be the make it or break it for a marriage, Will."

"They live an entirely different life than us," Will pointed out. "You just always act like having children is taboo. You know how I feel about it, and I've been more than patient about this Frankie."

"Hang on a second," Frankie said angrily. "What are you saying? We have to have a baby or I'm going to lose you?"

"Don't put words in my mouth that I didn't say," Will was just as angry.

"You didn't have to say it," Frankie retorted. "You sound like a Neanderthal cave man, Will!"

Will shook his head. "I'm out of here," he snapped. "I'll see you later." he turned and strode in the opposite direction.

"William!" Frankie called out but he ignored her completely. She stood there for a few moments outraged and livid that he would just walk away from her like that.

There was one person she knew would understand and she hoped that her mother wouldn't be in the middle of a class.

Frankie hurried to her mother's studio and went inside. She knocked on the office door.

Cho was going over the invoices since Allison was in Brighton with Jon's family. She smiled when she saw her youngest daughter standing in the doorway.

"Hi, Frankie!" she said grinning at her. "This is a nice surprise."

"Hi Mum," Frankie said. "Are you busy?"

"Never too busy for you," Cho said motioning for her to come inside. "Have a seat, sweetheart."

"Thanks," Frankie replied. "I really need to talk to you."

"You look a little pale love," Cho said. "You still feeling ill?"

"I've got a touch of the flu but I've got medicine now," Frankie said fidgeting. "Will and I thought I might be pregnant."

"And you're not?" Cho asked.

Frankie shook her head. "I was glad Mum... I don't want kids. And Will's all angry with me because I wasn't disappointed like he was."

"Frankie, I thought Will knew how you felt about that," Cho said.

"He does!" Frankie said, growing angry again as she thought about her husband.

"You two really need to talk," Cho advised.

"He just walked away from me!" Frankie exclaimed. "Right there on our way to the chemist!"

"Will's made no secret of how much he wants to have children," Cho said thoughtfully. "Frankie, what about this scares you so much?"

"I don't know," Frankie said. "It just does- just the whole thing, the pregnancy, the labour, and then having this tiny little thing to raise."

"You wouldn't have to go through it alone," Cho said. "We'll all be here to help you and I happen to think you'd be a great mum. Caroline, Emma, Sukie and Mas adore you."

"I know but I can give them back to their parents," Frankie explained. "I enjoy spending time with them but it's different when they're YOURS."

"You remember me telling you about how I felt when I heard I was pregnant with Chiaki?" Cho asked. "I was scared to death, Frankie. I was too young to have a baby and I almost....I almost didn't go through with it."

"I think I remember you and dad talking about that," Frankie said thoughtfully.

"But I couldn't go through with it," Cho continued. "And your father and I were clueless when we brought her home. I didn't know how to change nappies and she cried all the time."

"That doesn't surprise me," Frankie joked wryly.

Cho smiled. "I think you should tell Will what scares you most about this. And you should listen to how he feels about this."

"But we've talked about it before--" Frankie began.

"And you need to talk about it again," Cho interjected. "The two of you love each other and something like this could cause a big problem in your marriage."

"You think so?" Frankie asked in a small voice.

Cho stood up and walked around her desk.

"Sweetheart, there's no reason to be scared," Cho said kneeling down in front of her. "You're a brave, capable woman. And I remember how you said you'd never get married. And look at you now."

"Yeah," Frankie smiled a little. "I did say I'd never get married."

"Many, many times," Cho said grinning at her.

"I'll talk to him tonight," Frankie hugged her mother. "Let him cool down this afternoon."

"Sounds like a good idea," Cho said. "And you should get some rest."

"I'm going home to kip right now," Frankie replied.

"Good girl," Cho said walking her out.

"Are Allie and Jon and the kids having fun in Brighton?" Frankie asked.

"They love it down there," Cho said smiling. "I'm sure Emma and Caroline are having the time of their lives on the beach."

"I'm glad they got away," Frankie said opening the door.

"It's been quiet around here without them," Cho said. "You and Will should come by for dinner some time this week. Your dad and I would love to have you."

Frankie nodded. "We'll be there- especially if Dad makes his spaghetti."

"Love you sweetheart," Cho said giving her another hug.

"Love you too Mum," Frankie held onto her mother for a moment. "I'll see you later."

Frankie arrived home a few minutes later after stopping at the chemist. She wasn't surprised to find the house empty. Her toast and juice were still on the table from earlier. With a wave of her wand, the dishes were done and the kitchen was clean. If only it were this simple to fix my personal life, she mused.

*** *** ***

Seamus sat down with his son on one of the shop's plush sofas. They'd been following Lavender around all afternoon as she bought outfit after outfit and gift after gift. Normally, Seamus wouldn't have volunteered to go shopping with his wife. But Lavender had insisted and convinced him it would be a great opportunity to bond as a family. So far, the only thing Lavender had bonded to on this shopping excursion had been her credit card.

Gabriel yawned and leaned back on the sofa.

"I know the feeling," Seamus said ruefully.

"She said that you didn't do this very much," Gabriel said. "Go shopping with her, I mean."

"Can you see why?" Seamus grinned at his son.

"Yeah," Gabriel said with a laugh.

"Later on we'll go on the boat," Seamus replied. "When I go really fast she freaks out. It's hilarious."

"I'm glad you're here this weekend," Gabriel said.

"Me too," Seamus agreed. "I haven't been to Brighton in years. I'd forgotten how much I like it. Aside from the shopping that is."

"How's your film going?" Gabriel asked.

"All right," Seamus replied. "We've just started filming so you'll have to come visit on the set once we get to some of the action sequences. You can even be an extra if you want."

"You don't have to do that," Gabriel said. "I'd just like to watch you working."

"It's up to you," Seamus said easily. "I'll just be glad to have you there."

Gabriel smiled. "Lavender said you'd be filming in London through the end of the year."

"Most likely," Seamus nodded. "If all goes according to plan."

"Gran wanted to invite you over for Christmas dinner," Gabriel said. "But maybe we can do that next year."

"I can make it back for Christmas," Seamus said immediately. "Lav and I are always together, no matter what."

Gabriel grinned. "Gran is the best cook, next to my Mum. She makes this really big turkey with all the trimmings. Grandpa and I usually watch football in the living room. Until Gran and Mom..."

"Call you in to eat?" Seamus asked.

Gabriel nodded. He hadn't really thought about it until now, but this would be his first Christmas without his mother.

"I'll be there," Seamus promised. "No matter what I have to do I'll make sure I'm there."

"Thanks," Gabriel said. "I know you and Lavender probably have holiday traditions of your own. I'd understand if you couldn't make it, Dad."

"Nonsense," Seamus replied. "You're my tradition now Gabriel."

Gabriel grinned. The more time he spent with his father, the more he genuinely liked him. There were still some awkward moments and sometimes he did feel like an outsider, but he had a father now. He was glad his mother had finally told him the truth.

"Well," Lavender stood in front of her husband and stepson. "How does this look?"

"Beautiful," Seamus said automatically. "Lav, don't you have that same dress at home?"

"In grey," Lavender said. "This is dove."

"Dove is a colour now?" Seamus asked in disbelief. "I thought it was a bird."

Gabriel grinned at his father. "Come on Dad get with the times." he joked.

Lavender beamed at him. "Your son obviously knows these things. Seamus, you should take notes."

Seamus glared at her. "Are we quite finished? I'd like to go out on the ocean today before I have to leave."

"I wanted to go to one other shop," Lavender said. "They have the cutest denim..."

"Can't you get it during the week?" Seamus asked.

"I suppose so," Lavender said rolling her eyes. "I'll go and get changed and then we can go."

"Thank you," Seamus said in relief. "I almost think I need a hard drink after this."

"It could be worse," Lavender said tossing her hair over her shoulder. "I could have made you hold my handbag."

"It weighs six stones," Seamus rolled his eyes at Gabriel, who laughed.

"I'll be back you big baby," Lavender said before heading to the changing room.

"She makes me laugh," Gabriel said.

Seamus chuckled. "I'm glad you get along."

"She's great," Gabriel nodded. "Even went through the old photo albums with me. She doesn't mind me talking about my mom either."

"I'm glad the two most important people in my life are getting along," Seamus said.

Gabriel turned a bit red at this. "It's nice having a family. I just wish my mom had told me about this earlier."

Seamus didn't say that he, too, wished he'd have known about this sooner. He missed so many milestones in his son's life. "We have a lot of time to make up, Gabe."

"I'm glad we're getting along," Gabriel said honestly. "I was a real jerk at first but thanks for sticking with me."

"That's what families do," Seamus said. "You stick by the people you care about even when they're mad at you."

"Speaking of mad," Gabriel said. "Do you think Saffron and her parents are okay?"

"I hope so," Seamus said thoughtfully. "Never a dull moment around the Brighton house, eh?"

"Sure doesn't seem that way," Gabriel said with a grin.

"You getting along with the other kids?" Seamus asked.

Gabriel nodded, trying not to flush as he thought about Alexa. "They're all pretty cool."

Seamus smiled. "I saw you chatting with Alexa at breakfast. Seems like a nice girl."

"Yeah she is," Gabriel squirmed a little.

Seamus smiled knowingly at his son. "Something you want to tell me?"

"No," Gabriel shook his head quickly.

"Okay," Seamus nodded. "But if you do want to talk, I'll listen."

"Okay," Gabriel said as Lavender emerged with the dress in hand.

"You two ready to go?" Lavender asked brightly. "I'm starving."

"Sure," Seamus and Gabriel stood up. "Let's stay in town and grab some lunch."

They went outside and Gabriel stopped, an idea coming to him. He stopped a woman on the street. "Excuse me, ma'am," he said handing her his camera. "Would you mind taking a picture of me and my...my family?"

"Certainly," the woman smiled at him.

"Gabe!" Lavender exclaimed. "I look a fright!"

"You look beautiful," Seamus said shaking his head. "Now pose!"

"Come on," Gabriel smiled at his stepmother. "I won't sell these pictures to the paper I promise," he teased her.

"Okay," Lavender said laughing. "I'll stand in the middle then."

"I don't think we'll fit around your bags," Seamus joked.

"Shut it you," Lavender said nudging him as he stood beside her. Gabriel stood on her other side.

"Okay," the woman said. "On the count on three...one, two, three...."

All three members of the Finnigan family grinned on cue.

"Perfect," the woman smiled. "What a lovely photo."

Gabriel thanked the woman and took his camera back.

"We're going to want copies of that," Seamus told his son. "And I'm sure your Grandma Rose is going to want one too."

"Sure," Gabriel nodded. "I'll hook it up to the computer and email you the shots."

Lavender smiled at her husband. "Best holiday ever, eh?"

"You can say that again," Seamus agreed.

*** *** ***

Saffron watched as her parents left the sitting room. The conversation had gone well, she thought. She'd confessed how sometimes she felt as if everyone was watching everything she did because of who her parents were. And she told them how unfair she thought she and Julie were treated as opposed to Ethan who had pretty much been given free reign, in Saffron's opinion.

And her parents proceeded to tell her about the number of times Ethan had been grounded and some of the scrapes he'd gotten himself into. They'd also reminded her that she was just a small child when Ethan was a teenager so she probably didn't remember most of that.

The only truly embarrassing part of the conversation had been when her parents asked Andrew to sit down. Saffron had turned beet red when they'd told her boyfriend how disappointed they were in him, but that they hoped he'd respect their rules while he was a guest at the beach house.

"I think I'm going to take a walk," Andrew said after a few moments’ silence.

"Want me to go with you?" she offered.

Andrew shook his head. "I really don't want to be around you right now."

"Andrew!" Saffron exclaimed.

"Just drop it," he said making for the door.

Saffron wanted to follow him but she watched lamely as he shut the door behind him and headed for the beach.

Julie came downstairs looking for one of Ashley's sketchbooks and she saw her sister staring out the door. "Being grounded really sucks, eh Saf?"

"Yeah and now Andrew's mad at me too," Saffron said glumly.

"You kind of put him in a bad position," Julie pointed out. "Imagine how you would feel if you were staying at his parents' home and they walked in on you snogging on his bed?"

"I know and I feel horrible about it," Saffron sat down on the sofa. "I just wish he'd talk to me."

"Give him some time to cool off," Julie advised.

Saffron nodded, too subdued to argue about anything. "What are you looking for? Maybe I can help."

"Ash lost her sketchbook," Julie said. "Nick took them out on the boat and I promised I'd look for it."

"I thought I saw one in the dining room," Saffron said. "I bet that's it."

"Great," Julie said. "So how are things with you and Mum and Dad?"

"Better now that we talked things out," Saffron said. "Of course, it was completely embarrassing when they lectured Andrew but I guess I understand why they had to."

"They love you, Saffy," Julie said. "They only want what's best for you. We all do."

"Thanks Jules," Saffron gave her sister a hug. "I hope Andrew isn't too mad at me."

"You can be pretty charming when you want to be," Julie said laughing. "Not to mention persuasive. Which reminds me....I was talking with Professor Carlton and he told me that you argued your way to better marks on your final essay. I don't know how you did it, Saffy. That man is notorious for not budging."

Saffron laughed despite herself. "I guess you're right. I think I had him so confused he didn't know which end of his wand to point."

"It takes courage to take him on," Julie said. "And I thought I had it bad with Professor Binns who was just boring. Carlton is just a mule."

Saffron handed her sister Ashley's sketchbook. "I wonder who's going to take over for Dumbledore this fall," she said.

"Word is that dad's on the short list," Julie confided.

"Dad?" Saffron's eyes bugged out.

"Yes," Julie said nodding. "I think he'd be great, but I don't think he'd like being away from Mum."

"Me either," Saffron said. "But could you picture old Snape's face if Dad were to become Headmaster?"

"What are you girls talking about?" Hermione asked coming into the room carrying a bowl of crisps.

"Dad becoming headmaster at Hogwarts," Saffron replied.

Hermione laughed. "Heard about the list have you?"

"I have connections," Saffron said winking at her sister.

"She'd have found out anyway, Mum," Julie said hastily.

"Well don't get too excited," Hermione said. "I don't think he's interested."

"He would still get to punish wrongdoers," Julie said thoughtfully. "And he'd get to see two of his most favourite people in the world..."

"And I'm sure Severus would love having me for a boss," Harry said joining his wife and daughters.

Saffron laughed. "I'd love to see the look on his face Dad."

"Word is that he's put his name in the ring too," Hermione told them.

"Gross!" Saffron squealed. "I'll quit school before going there with him as Headmaster!"

"You most certainly would not," Hermione chastised.

"I'd enroll at Beauxbatons then," Saffron said.

"Saffy!" Julie was laughing.

"I'm serious, Jules," Saffron said.

"I think there'd be no one left at the school but Slytherins," Harry leaned back on the sofa and grinned at his daughters.

"And me and Lex would head for Beauxbatons," Saffron said resting her head on her mother's shoulder.

"So you're really not interested Dad?" Julie asked. "I know every time there's an opening, they consider you, but this is different. This is the BIG job."

"I don't want to be away from your mum for that long," Harry said. "And it's not like I can just pick up and leave like you do every day Jules- I'd have to be there all the time. Plus I like being an Auror."

"I think he means that he likes seeing Ethan every day," Saffron said keeping her voice light so her parents knew she was only teasing.

Harry tugged on his daughter's plait. "Smartarse," he said affectionately.

"He is your favourite after all," Julie said. "The perfect son...the one who followed in your footsteps..."

"The one who's getting the cottage," Saffron chimed in.

"What?" Julie asked the smile on her face falling.

"Saffron!" Hermione exclaimed.

"Well you are," Saffron said. "You're giving him and Maddie the cottage as a wedding gift."

"I didn't know it was back on the market," Julie said quietly.

"Awhile back it was," Hermione said. "Did you want to take Nick and the girls to see it?"

Julie shook her head and started to absently look through Ashley's sketchbook.

"Jules," Harry put a hand on her arm. "You're upset about this..."

"I promised I'd meet Nick and the girls on the dock," Julie said standing up. "I'll catch up with you guys later."

"Julie," Harry stood up as well.

Julie didn't tell her parents that she always hoped that one day, she and Nick would buy the cottage. It had been the first home she'd ever known and she had only happy memories there. It hurt to think that her parents were giving this great gift to her brother.

"I'm sure Ethan and Maddie will love it," Julie said forcing a smile. "I really should get going."

"No," Harry shook his head. "You may be an adult but we're still your parents and you can talk to us."

"You probably don't want to hear what I have to say right now," Julie said looking at him before walking out of the house.

Harry looked at his wife. "I didn't think she'd be upset over this."

"I'm sorry for bringing it up," Saffron apologised. "I thought Julie knew already, Mum."

"It's all right sweetheart," Hermione patted her hand. "We'll talk to her, don't worry."

Meanwhile, Julie was heading for the docks, upset at herself for acting a bit like a spoiled child, but she couldn't help it.

"Hi Mummy!" Katie called as she, Ashley and Nick approached the dock.

"Hiya, guys!" Julie said waving back at them. "Did you have fun?"

"Better yet, they got along," Nick said proudly.

"Daddy said if we did, we could have ice cream," Katie explained.

"Oh I see," Julie laughed, hugging her girls. "Ash I found your sketchbook."

Ashley beamed at her. "Thanks Mum! I was so worried I'd lost it. I did this really pretty sketch of the sunrise for Grandma Ellie."

"I bet she'll love it," Julie said.

"You all right?" Nick asked his wife.

Julie shook her head.

"Girls," Nick said grabbing his wallet out of his shorts pocket. He pulled out some Muggle money. "How about you go and get your ice cream and get something for your Mum and me too?"

"You mean we can go all the way to the shop by ourselves?" Ashley was wide eyed.

"There's a stand right there, Ash!" Katie said pointing to it. "And they say you're the smart one!"

"Shut up Katherine Rose," Ashley retorted. "I didn't see it!"

"I knew it was too good to last," Nick said shaking his head. "Ashley take your sister's hand and come right back here when you're finished, okay?"

"Okay," Ashley replied, grudgingly taking her sister's fingers in hers.

"So," Nick said when they were alone. "What's got you down, Jules?"

"My parents bought the cottage back," Julie dug her feet into the sand. "And they're giving it to Ethan and Maddie as a wedding gift."

"Julie---" Nick said giving her a hug. He knew how much that place meant to her. "I didn't even realise it was up for sale."

"Neither did I," she said. "I was sort of hoping one day you and I could move into it when the girls are on their own."

"I'm sure your parents didn't mean any offence, Julie," Nick said.

"I know they didn't," Julie said. "And they were wonderful when you and I got married- paying for our honeymoon plus giving us the deposit on our place when we moved once Ash was born."

"But it still hurts," Nick said sympathetically.

"Yeah," she said with a sigh.

"Ethan didn't live there for very long, did he?" Nick asked. "You lived there most of your childhood."

"Yeah until Mum became Minister," Julie said.

"I wish I knew what to say," Nick said putting an arm around her. "Your dad isn't doing too well this holiday, is he? Nor Ethan, for that matter."

"I guess I'm really not that angry- they didn't know." Julie shrugged.

"If I'd have known it was on the market, I'd have bought it for you, sweetheart," Nick said kissing the side of her head.

"Thanks Nick," Julie smiled at him. "You always make me feel better."

"It was part of the vows, wasn't it?" Nick asked cheekily.

"That it was," Julie kissed him. "I'm so glad I married you Malfoy."

"Daddy!" Katie squealed coming over to them with two ice cream cones in one hand. "These are for you and Mummy. Ashley's got mine."

"Thank you sweetheart," Nick smiled. "That was very thoughtful of you and your sister."

"Is Aunt Saffy still grounded?" Ashley asked handing her little sister her ice cream.

"Yes," Julie said. "But with good behaviour, we're hoping she'll get off with time served."

"I think it's just for today," Nick said, an arm around his wife.

"Good," Ashley said. "I was hoping I could hang out with her and Alexa."

"They might be with their boyfriends," Julie pointed out gently.

"Oh," Ashley said frowning.

"I'm sure Caroline and Katie would love to have you play with them," Julie said. "Right, Katie?"

"I guess," Katie shrugged.

Ashley rolled her eyes. "I wouldn't want to put you out, Katie. It's okay, Mum. I'll see if Aunt Lizzy needs any help with the babies."

"Katherine Rose," Nick frowned at his younger daughter. "You had a nice time out there today with me and Ashley."

"It was okay," Katie begrudgingly admitted.

"You had fun and you know it," Nick said, biting into his cone.

"Caroline and I were going to make bracelets later," Katie said to her older sister. "You're welcome to help if you want."

"Maybe," Ashley said. "What were you going to make them out of?"

"Those beads that Aunt Luna gave us," Katie replied.

"Okay," Ashley said. "That could be fun."

Nick and Julie shared a look. "How about we head on back to the house then?" Nick asked his daughters.

"Okay," Katie was trying to eat her ice cream before it melted onto her fingers.

"You look a little sad, Mummy," Ashley said as they started down the beach. "You okay?"

"I'm fine Ash," Julie stroked back her daughter's hair.

"I really like coming here," Ashley said smiling at her mother. "I hope we always come here in the summer."

"I hope so too," Julie answered. "It's become quite the tradition." she squinted as she saw a familiar figure. "Is that Andrew?"

"He's probably really sad since Saffy can't come out and play," Katie said.

"Perhaps," Julie mused. "Andrew!" she called out.

"Hi Julie," Andrew said turning around. "Nick, girls...”

"What are you up to all alone out here?" Julie asked, already knowing.

"Just wanted to take a walk," Andrew replied. "What are you lot up to?"

"Ice cream," Ashley said with a grin.

"Looks pretty good," Andrew said smiling back at her.

"You're welcome to walk back to the house with us," Nick offered.

Andrew shrugged. "I guess that'd be okay."

"Where's my cousin?" Nick asked.

"Had to leave this morning for something with Puddlemere," Andrew replied. "He should be back tomorrow."

"I can't believe he's their star Keeper," Nick shook his head. "How do you like Wimbourne?"

"It's really great," Andrew answered. "My team mates seem like a great bunch of blokes. I'm not going to see much playing time this year, but I hope to learn a lot."

"Saffron's going to miss you," Julie said lightly.

Andrew tensed up at the mention of his girlfriend. "Yeah, I'm going to miss her too."

Julie dropped behind her husband and daughters to walk beside him. "You know... I don't like to meddle but she's really sorry about what happened."

"She told you then about what happened?" Andrew asked.

"Yeah," Julie nodded. "She wasn't thinking, obviously. But she was really upset earlier."

"I should talk to her, but I'm still angry, Julie," Andrew said. "I felt like she was using me to piss off her Dad."

"Saffy wouldn't do that," Julie said. "She really cares about you Andrew. The last thing she wants to do is make you mad."

"I know," Andrew said. "She's...she's lucky to have you, Julie. I know it meant so much to her to have you at school this past year."

"I'm glad," Julie smiled at him. "And I know she's glad to have you here on holiday with us."

"I'll talk to her when we get back," Andrew promised.

"Despite what happened my parents still really like you Andrew," Julie reassured him.

"They said they did," Andrew said.

"You're good to Saffy, and they know that." Julie patted his shoulder.

They made it back to the house and Julie was relieved that her parents weren't around. The last thing she wanted to do was talk to them now when this thing with the cottage was still in her mind. Saffron looked up from her book when she saw them walk in.

"Hi," she said surprised, but happy to see Andrew.

"Hey Saf," he smiled at her. "Want to talk?"

"Sure," she said.

Julie and Nick headed into the kitchen to give them some privacy.

"I really am sorry," Saffron started to say.

"I know," Andrew sat down next to her on the sofa. "I guess I just thought you were using me to get back at your dad. I don't like being used Saffy."

"Part of it was," Saffron admitted, not wanting to lie to him. "I behaved terribly, Andrew."

He nodded. "I love you Saffron. I don't like being in a strop with you."

"I love you too," she said hugging him tightly. "I was afraid you'd never want to speak to me again after you walked out."

"That'd be a little overdramatic don't you think?" Andrew couldn't help but grin.

"And you're not Ronald Weasley Junior," Saffron teased. "Who would totally blow it out of proportion."

Andrew laughed. "So I guess this means we're okay," he wrapped his arms around her waist.

"I'm sorry my mum and dad embarrassed you," Saffron said.

"I understand where they're coming from," Andrew told her.

"I'm the baby," Saffron said rolling her eyes.

"Nothing wrong with that," Andrew said.

"My parents said I could go with you guys into town tomorrow," Saffron said. "One last day of grounding."

"We'll have fun," Andrew said as they sat back against the sofa. "RJ will be back, and all of us can just hang out together."

"Sounds great," Saffron said leaning against him.

"What are you reading?" he asked.

"Pride and Prejudice," Saffron said holding the book up for him to see. "I've read it ten times already but it's one of my favourites."

"My mum likes that book too," Andrew said.

"You're not as Austen fan, then?" Saffron teased.

"Nah not really," Andrew grinned. "I like my Quidditch magazines and a little Playwizard every now and again..." he laughed when Saffron hit his shoulder.

"Please, please tell me you were joking, Andrew Kirke," Saffron said hitting him again.

"RJ kept a stack under his bed back at school," Andrew held up his hands. "Sometimes we all used to peek. But I haven't looked at them since I started dating you, I swear."

"Eww, gross!" Saffron said her face scrunching up in disgust. "You just wait until I tell Alexa about that perv."

"I'm sure she knows already Saf," Andrew said. "Besides, he left them behind to whoever inherits his bed next year."

"Those magazines degrade women you know," Saffron said huffily.

"Saf- you can't tell me you've never looked at a Playwitch," Andrew said.

"I most certainly have not," Saffron said indignantly.

Andrew raised an eyebrow disbelievingly.

"I haven't," Saffron said glaring at him.

"You're going to get mad at me over this?" he asked.

"No," she said shaking her head. "Let's just agree to disagree over this."

"Okay," he gave her a quick kiss. "So you're really grounded the rest of today?"

"Yup," Saffron said. "But you don't have to keep me company...Alexa and Gabriel went out on the beach. I'm sure they wouldn't mind if you joined them."

"Hmmm..." Andrew pretended to think. "That does sound like fun--"

"I can't watch telly though or do anything fun," she told him. "Grounded, remember?"

"Yeah it might get really boring hanging out here with you," he said with a serious face.

"Wouldn't want to bore you on your last holiday before you join the real world," Saffron said playing along.

"You're right," Andrew said. "And I heard there's a little cove that's great for skinny dipping nearby. Maybe Alexa and Gabriel want to check it out with me."

Saffron hit him on the arm. "You want me to go tell my Dad you're talking like that?"

Andrew laughed. "All right, all right..." he said, sliding his arm around her. "Actually, I'd rather just sit here and read my Quidditch manuals with my best girl than go out there on the beach without her."

"Good answer," Saffron said smiling sweetly at him. "I've trained you quite well, Kirke."

"I let you think you have," Andrew teased as he got up. "I'll be right back."

Saffron laughed and then picked up her book to resume her reading.

113. 113!!!

H/Hr fans- which we assume is ALL of you ;) Will really like this chapter, as it involves quite a lovely flashback! Sorry it’s a bit late, but please, as always, don’t forget to review and let us know what you think!

Just outside the house, Josh and Lizzy were sitting with Allison and Jon. The triplets were in their playpen. Caroline had gone inside to play with Katie and Emma was trying to make a sand castle but not having the best luck.

"Da-da," Josh said kneeling down in front of the playpen. "Come on, Casey... Noah... Aidan... one of you has to say it..."

"Josh," Lizzy laughed. "Don't you think you're trying a little early?"

"They're going to say it, Liz," Josh said making a goofy face at his daughter who gurgled, but didn't say a word.

Lizzy shared a look with Allison and both women grinned. "Jon you were the same way with Caroline and Emma."

"He was worse," Allison replied before Jon could.

"Hey," Jon said as he got down in the sand to help his daughter. "I was not!"

"You coached Caroline all the time," Allison reminded him. "You charmed the mobile over her crib to say Dada every twenty seconds."

"You're both terrible," Lizzy said.

"Daddy bad?" Emma asked.

"No," Jon said grinning at her. "Daddy is the best. Right, Em?"

"Right," Emma agreed.

"Em's daddy's girl," Jon said beaming at her.

"Make yourself useful and put some more suntan lotion on her," Allison said handing him the bottle.

"Come here baby," Jon said. "Let Daddy put this on your shoulders okay?"

"Kay," Emma said plopping down in front of him.

"Mmm," one of the triplets said from the playpen.

Lizzy nearly launched from her chair. "Mama," she cooed. "Say Mama my little angels!"

"Now who's coaching," Josh said as Lizzy practically pushed him out of the way.

"Well they at least came close to saying it," Lizzy replied.

"Mmmm is not Mama, Liz," Josh said.

"It's close!" Lizzy insisted.

"You're not going to be like this with our little boy, are you Jon?" Allison teased.

"Of course not," Jon snorted.

"Em still the baby," Emma turned to look at her father.

"Em's the big girl," Jon said tugging gently on one of her curls.

"No!" Emma pushed her lower lip out.

"Emma," Jon said. "Your Mummy and I still love you even though we're having another baby."

"Don’t want baby," Emma said walking over to her mother. "Don't come out!"

"Emma Madeline," Allison picked her up. "Don't say that."

Emma buried her face in her mother's shoulder.

Allison hugged her daughter. "Daddy and Mummy love you so much Em."

"Do?" Emma asked.

"You know that sweetheart," Allison kissed her daughter's forehead. "I'm always going to love my little Emma Madeline."

Emma finally smiled. "Love Mummy."

"That's my girl," Allison said. "Oooooh..."

"What's wrong, Al?" Jon asked.

"The baby's kicking," she said with a big grin.

Emma forgot her jealousy and eagerly put a hand on her mother's tummy. "Oooooh!"

"That's your brother in there," Allison tweaked one of Emma's red curls. "You feel that?"

Emma nodded. "He kicks hard!"

"Yes he does," Allison said. "You used to kick hard too, you know that?"

"Really?" Emma asked.

"That's right," Josh grinned at his niece. "We could even see you kick sometimes Em."

"That might have been because of all that spicy food Al ate," Jon teased.

"You just hate when I have hot sauce on my cottage cheese," Allison retorted.

"Gross, Allie," Josh said shaking his head. "Not even Dad would eat that."

Allison smiled sweetly. "More for me then."

Just down the beach, Alexa and Gabriel were stretched out on their towels, enjoying the late afternoon sunshine.

"Is this what your beaches in California are like?" she asked.

"Pretty much," Gabriel replied. "Being here is a little like being at home."

"Are you homesick at all?" Alexa turned on her side and asked him.

"I miss my friends," he said thoughtfully. "And my grandparents, but I've liked being here. You guys have really been great."

"I'm glad you're enjoying yourself," she said sincerely, pulling her red hair out of her ponytail.

Gabriel chanced a look at her in the green bikini and reminded himself that this girl had a boyfriend. A boyfriend, who was away for the day, but a boyfriend just the same.

"I swear, I have to put sun block on almost every hour," she complained, sitting up. "My skin is so fair. Would you mind helping me with my back?"

"Uh sure," Gabriel said sitting up as well. "We...uh...wouldn't want you to get burned.”

"I hate being sunburnt," Alexa replied. "Thanks Gabriel."

"No problem," he said kneeling down behind her. He poured some suntan lotion onto his hand and then rubbed it hesitantly on Alexa's shoulder.

"Make sure you get my lower back as well, if you don't mind," she said.

"Sure," Gabriel said doing as she asked. Her skin was soft and warm from the sun. "So, when does RJ get back?"

"Late tonight," Alexa answered. "He didn't even want to go but he had to be there."

Gabriel didn't tell her that he was glad to have the chance to spend some time alone with her without RJ around. The more time he spent with Alexa, the more time he found himself liking her. This was not going to be good for him because anyone could see she was head over heels for her boyfriend.

"You know," she continued, "I'm so glad you and RJ are getting along. I was afraid after the first few times you met that you wouldn't like him at all."

"You've all been really great," Gabriel said. "Making me feel at home."

"Thanks," Alexa smiled at him as he finished up. "Well you've become a good friend Gabriel."

Gabriel smiled back at her. "I feel the same way about you."

She lay back on the towel. "You're coming with us into town tomorrow right? Even Sean is coming so it's not like you'll be a fifth wheel or anything."

"Saffy told me," Gabriel nodded. "It sounds like fun."

"They have this really neat arcade there," Alexa told him as she twisted her hair back up. "And Saffy loves the sweets shop," she laughed. "Big surprise there- RJ loves it too."

"You play some of the games?" Gabriel asked.

"I like watching," Alexa admitted. "I'm rubbish with video games. I prefer the older ones like ski ball or things like that."

"Ever play pinball?" Gabriel asked.

"I tried it," Alexa said. "Couldn't seem to get those things to work very well to hit the ball."

Gabriel laughed. "I guess I'll have to take you on in ski ball then."

"You like playing it too?" she asked.

He nodded. "I'm an old pro."

"Maybe you can show me a few techniques then," Alexa shifted on her towel.

"Winner has to buy the loser popcorn or something," Gabriel wagered. "What do you say?"

"I say you're going to win," she made a face.

"Something tells me you're bluffing," Gabriel said shaking his head. "You're shady, O'Leary."

"I am not!" Alexa denied. "I swear- ask Saffy!"

"She's your best friend," Gabriel pointed out, teasing her. "She'd lie for you, I imagine. I see where you're going, O'Leary. But don't you worry; I'm not going to hold anything back. I'm bringing my A game."

"Your what?" Alexa asked.

"Sorry," Gabriel apologised. "An American term. It means I'm bringing my best game to the table."

"Oh," she shook her head. "Well you'll win- of that I have no doubt. I'm not a very athletic person in any way- that includes gaming."

"I don't know about that---" Gabriel started to say but a little dog barked in the distance and he and Alexa looked over to see Andrew walking toward them with Puddles.

"The things I do for my girlfriend," Andrew said running after the dog. "She can't walk him so she asked me to."

Alexa laughed. "Come here Puddles!" she crooned as the dog scampered over to her.

"Lex, this came for you earlier," Andrew said handing her an envelope. "RJ's owl."

"Ooh," she said taking it eagerly. She tore open the letter and the smile on her face faded away as she read the letter. "He---he won't be back for a couple of days."

"There's some huge meeting," Andrew explained. "I have to go tomorrow too- my note came with his. All the teams are meeting in the morning."

"Oh," Alexa said folding up the letter and stuffing it in her beach bag.

"But you guys should still go out tomorrow," Andrew told her and Gabriel.

"What did Saffy say?" Alexa asked softly.

"She said she'd miss me but she understood," Andrew replied. "Lex, you know RJ would get out of this if he could."

"I know," she replied. "I just miss him is all..."

"He'll be back before you know it," Andrew said smiling reassuringly at her.

Alexa nodded. "Thanks Andrew. Is everything okay with you and Saffy?"

"We're great," Andrew said. "We talked it out."

"She still grounded?" Gabriel asked.

"Just for the day," he said. "That's why I'm walking this guy," he laughed as Puddles jumped up against his leg.

"Saffy's pride and joy," Gabriel said laughing.

"Why thank you," Andrew rumpled his hair and grinned.

"I think he was talking about the dog, you egomaniac," Alexa teased.

"Shoot a bloke while he's down Lex," Andrew joked.

Alexa giggled. "I'm trying."

"I better walk him," Andrew said. "I'll see you lot back at the house."

Alexa leaned back on her elbows and a far-away expression came over her face.

"You okay?" Gabriel asked.

"Yeah," she said. "I just wish RJ didn't have to be gone."

"It's just a couple of days," Gabriel said. "And like Andrew said he'll be back before you know it."

"I know," Alexa replied. "I miss him though- I won't see him much after Saffy and I go back to school."

"You can write to each other," Gabriel said. "And you can always see each other during holidays."

"Right," she forced a smile onto her face.

"You're worried?" Gabriel asked. "Alexa..."

"I'm not worried," Alexa said. "Trust me when I say, we've been through loads of trouble and we've come this far. I doubt a little separation could do anything."

"He'd be crazy to let you get away," Gabriel said looking at her.

Alexa blushed. "Thanks..." she said softly.

"So," Gabriel said his own cheeks turning red as he realised what he'd said. "How about I go and get us a soda or something?"

"I actually should probably get myself out of the sun," Alexa examined her arms. "Even though you put that lotion on me I'm already burning up again."

"Okay," Gabriel said standing up. He offered her his hand.

She let him help her up and they folded their towels and set back towards the beach house.

Saffron, who had been waiting for Andrew's return looked up again from her book when she heard the door open. She smiled at her best friend. "Lex, you look like a tomato."

"Shut up," Alexa said with a grin.

"How's it going?" Gabriel asked.

"Oh, well let's see," Saffron said. "Me and Andrew got the 'sex talk' from my mum and dad. My sister is pissed at my parents and Katie, Caroline and Ashley are actually getting along. Not bad for a day in this house, eh?"

"Why is your sister angry?" Alexa asked putting her towel in the hamper.

"Long story short she found out my parents are giving Ethan the cottage she lived in when she was a little girl," Saffron told them. "Jules loves that old place."

"And you don't?" Gabriel asked.

Saffron shrugged. "I never lived there. I've always lived in the Minister's mansion. To me, that's my home."

"What will you do when your mum isn't Minister anymore?" he asked.

"By the time that happens, I’ll probably be old and grey," Saffron said with a laugh. "She's not planning on retiring anytime soon."

"I'm going to get some aloe for my skin and change out of my swim costume," Alexa said. "Saffy want to play Wizarding Snap or something?"

"I'm not supposed to do anything fun," Saffron said. "But I think my parents are preoccupied over the whole Jules thing. We can take a chance."

"I'm sure you can play a game," Gabriel told her.

"I'll tell them you made me do it," Saffron said mischievously.

"Very funny," Gabriel grinned at her. "I’ll be right back."

Saffron watched as her friend and cousin both headed out of the sitting room. There was a closeness between them that seemed to grow each day. This was certainly going to be an interesting summer.

*** *** ***

Frankie was worried. It had been a couple of days since she and Will had found out that they weren't pregnant and he had barely said two words to her. He'd spent the past two nights working late and when he did arrive home, he just changed into his pyjamas and fell asleep without a word.

Now, it was the weekend and he didn't have to work and she thought that today would be the perfect time to sit down and talk this out. To her dismay, she found her husband in the sitting room talking to one of his friends on the phone.

"When did you get a tee time?" Will asked into the phone. "Yeah...that sounds great. I'll meet you there then...okay...cheers."

"You're going out?" she asked, leaning against the door frame.

"Playing a couple of rounds with Mark and Rob," Will said clicking off the phone.

"Oh," Frankie pushed her hair behind her shoulders. "I guess I thought you might be sticking around."

"I thought you were meeting Maddie to go over something with the wedding," Will said distractedly.

"Not until later," Frankie said softly.

Will sat down on the sofa and turned the television on. Frankie continued to stare at him and Will let out a heavy sigh before turning off the television. "Is there a reason why you're staring at me?"

"I just thought we could talk," Frankie said. "We've barely said two words to each other all week."

"I think you said all you needed to," Will said quietly.

"What?" Frankie asked. "The other day at the hospital?"

"You made yourself pretty clear, Frankie," Will said.

"Will all I said was that I didn't want to have children yet," Frankie sat down next to him. "It doesn't mean that I don't love you!"

"And just because I'm angry right now doesn't mean I don't love you," Will said. "But you acted as if you just found out you'd won a million quid when you found out that we weren't pregnant."

"I was relieved," Frankie said. "I may have been a little excited but when it comes down to it, having kids scares me Will."

"Why?" Will asked her. "Frankie, you'd be a great mother. You're great with your nieces..."

"Because they're not mine," Frankie said. "I can give them back. Having someone depend totally on me all the time freaks me out too much."

"That's normal," Will said. "I'm scared too, Frankie. But I want to have a family with you. I thought you wanted the same thing."

"Eventually--" Frankie began.

"Why do I think that your 'eventually' is a way of putting things off?" Will asked cutting her off. "You're never going to be ready are you?"

"I didn't say that!" Frankie exclaimed.

"You didn't have to!" Will retorted.

"You are putting words in my mouth that I wasn't going to say," Frankie crossed her arms.

"What's the real issue here, Frankie?" Will asked her. "Are you afraid that you really will be Mrs. Boring? Or that you'll gain weight....or that you won't be able to go out to clubs....what? What is the issue here?"

"You're being a complete jerk!" Frankie said angrily. "I wanted to talk this out with you rationally and you've completely blown it out of proportion! You knew how I was about children before we got married and you said you were fine with it! Now you're acting as if I've committed the crime of the century!"

"How do you expect me to act when the woman I love tells me that she doesn't want to have children? I'm not saying we have to have them now, for Merlin's sake! I just thought that you'd be ready someday for that."

"I'll be ready when I'm ready," Frankie told him. "And it will be someday. But we've barely been married a year and I think we could make do with waiting a little longer before we started having babies!"

"But that's just it, isn't it?" Will asked her. "You're not ever going to be ready, are you?"

"I never said that," she retorted.

"Okay then," Will said levelling his gaze at her. "Cards on the table, Frankie. And don't tell me what you think I want to hear. Tell me how you really, honestly feel. Do you see yourself ever wanting to have children?"

"Eventually!" she said before she could stop herself.

"Yes or no," Will demanded.

Frankie honestly didn't know how to answer this and Will nodded as if she had just confirmed something.

Without a word, Will toward the door and picked up his bag of golf clubs.

"Will come on," Frankie followed him into the hall.

"I can't do this right now Frankie," Will said opening up the door.

"Now who's running away?" she challenged, angry tears in her eyes.

Will stopped for a moment before walking out the door.

Frankie slammed it behind him and kicked it a few times for good measure.

He was acting like some caveman, she thought angrily as she went back into the sitting room. He knew very well how she felt about this before they were married.

Frankie wondered if Maddie and Ethan were back yet from their weekend in Brighton. She needed to talk to her best friend.

As luck would have it, Ethan and Maddie were back from Brighton. Ethan was going through the post and Maddie was getting quite the welcome home from Blue.

"Did you miss me, Blue?" Maddie asked giggling as the pixie flew around her shoulder excitedly. "You are going to wear yourself out!"

Ethan laughed. "We were only gone a few days little guy," he held out his hand and Blue skittered over to him.

"I'm sure it felt like an eternity to him," Maddie said still giggling. "Dolly was the same way if we went anywhere without her. Of course, Daddy wouldn't let me open her cage."

"I wonder why," Ethan said dryly.

"Come here, Blue," Maddie said as someone knocked on the door.

"I'll get it," Ethan said setting the post down. The moment he opened the door, a weeping Frankie threw her arms around him. "Frankie..."

"I'm so glad you guys are here," Frankie sobbed.

"We missed you too," Ethan said awkwardly patting her back.

"Frankie, what is it?" Maddie asked.

"It's Will," Frankie wiped at her eyes.

"What's happened?" Maddie asked quickly putting Blue in his cage.

Ethan went to go put on some tea while Maddie sat down with her in the sitting room. "Well it all started earlier this week- I was feeling sick so we went into the hospital because we thought I might... might um... be pregnant."

"Frankie!" Maddie exclaimed. "That's great----oh no----you weren't, were you?"

"No," Frankie shook her head. "And I was glad Maddie. I don't want kids yet. And Will just totally blew it out of proportion!"

Maddie went to her friend and gave her a hug. "Oh Frankie..."

"Now he's angry with me- he's acting as if I said I never wanted kids at all," Frankie bawled. "He won't even speak to me!"

"I'm sure it's not that bad," Maddie said leading her over to the sofa.

"He went golfing," Frankie said. "Maddie, Will hates to golf."

"That is serious," Maddie said trying to make her friend laugh. "Frankie---"

"He only golfs when he has to- for work or something," Frankie shook her head. "We've barely spoken all week and today we fought again. I don't know what to do!"

"You don't want kids though," Ethan said coming back into the room carrying a tray of tea and biscuits. "Sorry, I couldn't help overhearing..."

"I do, but not right now!" Frankie said. "Not for a few more years at least! And I tried to tell Will that but he just blew up and went overboard!"

"Come on Frankie," Ethan said. "Can you blame the guy?"

Frankie stared at him. "Not you too!"

Ethan sat down. "I'm just saying that you're probably not being honest with him, Frankie. As long as I've known you, you've never once mentioned wanting to have children. And every time Will's brought it up when we've been around, you've brushed it off every time."

"I have?" Frankie looked at Maddie.

"You kind of have," Maddie admitted.

Frankie stared at her hands. "I never realised that." she admitted quietly.

"For what it's worth, I think you'd be a great mum," Maddie said smiling at her friend.

"It scares the hell out of me," Frankie said. "To think that someone could depend so much on me."

"But you wouldn't be doing it alone," Maddie reminded her. "You'd have Will."

Frankie took a deep, calming breath as Ethan handed her a mug of tea. "I don't mean to hurt his feelings on having a baby," she said. "It's just that for years, I went around thinking I'd never get married, never have kids. Then I find myself married to Will and I love it."

"You might be the same way about children," Maddie said gently.

"I think that's what scares me too," Frankie admitted.

"Oh, Frankie," Maddie said putting an arm around her.

"I feel like I can't think straight," Frankie said.

"Everything will be fine," Maddie reassured her. "You and Will just need some time."

"It's already been four days," Frankie replied as Maddie handed her a tissue.

"Maybe you need counselling," Maddie suggested.

"I don't know," Frankie said with a shrug.

"You should have let him know this before you got married," Ethan said. "You said eventually hoping that would pacify him, Frankie. If you know you never wanted them, you should have said."

"But I don't 'never' want them," Frankie said. "I just want them when I feel I'm ready. What if we have them too early and we wind up doing a bad job raising them?"

"You won't do a bad job," Maddie said. "You'd be great."

"I think that's what scares me the most," Frankie said. "Raising children badly.”

"We'd all be there to help you," Maddie said. "And your mum and dad, too. And if this is how you're feeling you need to tell Will. Make him listen."

Frankie nodded. "Okay," she said. "I'll talk to him tonight."

"Maddie," Ethan said looking over at the cage where Blue was shaking the bars. "I think he wants to come out..."

"Oh!" Maddie said getting up and unlocking the cage. Blue flew out and over to Frankie plopping down in her lap.

"Hi Blue," Frankie smiled at the little pixie. "Did you miss your mummy and daddy?"

Blue clasped his hands together and then fell back dramatically on Frankie's lap.

"He's quite the little actor," Maddie said proudly.

Frankie laughed genuinely. "He's just like you Maddie."

"Have you seen the pout?" Ethan asked her. "Hey Blue- do the pout!"

Blue sat up and did a near perfect imitation of Maddie's pout.

"That is too much!" Frankie laughed.

"He's my smart little guy," Maddie beamed at her pet.

"How was Brighton?" Frankie asked.

"Let's see," Ethan said thoughtfully. "Saffy went mental when Nick and I threw her in the ocean. Julie acted as if I had the plague and wouldn't say one word to me..."

"What's going on?" Frankie asked.

Ethan shrugged. "I tried to ask her but she wouldn't say..."

"Sounds like things are tense there," Frankie replied. "I wonder why..."

"I have no bloody idea," Ethan said.

"She was kind of distant with me too," Maddie admitted.

"That's so odd," Frankie said. "Normally Julie is as sweet as they come."

"She and Saf weren't very happy with me," Ethan said shaking his head. "I can't understand why since I'm such a great bloke...”

Frankie and Maddie shared a look and rolled their eyes simultaneously. Blue found this quite funny and fell back onto Maddie's shoulder, cackling.

"And there's my biggest fan," Ethan said sarcastically.

"I think I'm going to head back home," Frankie said. "You've both helped me feel a lot better."

"That's what we're here for," Maddie said.

"You're a great best friend Maddie," Frankie told her.

"You are too," Maddie said giving her a hug. "Everything will be okay."

"I hope so," Frankie hugged her and pecked Ethan on the cheek. "I'll let you know how things go."

"Good luck," Ethan said.

"Thanks," Frankie said before heading out the door.

*** *** ***

Julie knew it was childish, but she couldn't help avoiding her parents for the rest of that day. She also felt bad for being distant to her brother and Maddie, but she wished now that she had voiced her thoughts about someday living in the cottage instead of keeping them to herself.

"Do you like this, Mum?" Ashley asked showing her mother her latest sketch.

"What?" Julie asked distractedly.

"My sketch?" Ashley asked.

"Oh it's lovely sweetheart," Julie focused her attention on her daughter.

Harry came into the sitting room. "Ashley, Allie just finished making biscuits. If you want to make sure you get some before Uncle Ron eats them all..."

"Oooooh," Ashley said setting her sketch aside. "I'll be right back, Mum. Do you want any?"

"No thanks Ash," Julie said. "I'm not very hungry."

"Okay," Ashley said stopping to give her grandfather a hug.

"You didn't eat much at dinner, either," Harry said sitting down beside her. "You feeling okay, Julie?"

"Fine," Julie said. "I'm actually quite tired I might just go to bed early."

"Julie---"

"Really I'm fine," Julie gave her father a brief smile.

"Just mad at your parents," Harry said touching her arm.

Julie started to protest but Harry interrupted her.

"You're angry that we bought the cottage for Ethan and Maddie," Harry said quietly.

"Well..." Julie exhaled. "I guess..."

"We didn't think you'd care," Harry said honestly.

"Well I only grew up there," Julie said a bit sarcastically. "And I always talk about how much I miss it..."

"You did live there longer than your brother," Harry said. "But--"

"I know that it'd never hold me and Nick, Greta, and the girls," Julie said. "But I guess I held out hope that when Ash and Katie moved out on their own someday, Nick and I could live there."

"You still could, Julie," Harry said. "Ethan and Maddie are going to have a family of their own someday and the Weasleys are known for having lots and lots of babies. They'll probably outgrow the place before you know it."

"Yeah but you and Mum probably want to move back in," Julie argued.

"Not if you wanted it, Julie," Harry said.

"I couldn't take it away from you two if you were planning on moving in," Julie replied quietly.

"The way your mum's going, we'll be living in the Minister's mansion for quite some time," Harry said.

"I can't picture Mum ever retiring," Julie smiled.

"Me either," Harry said smiling back at Julie.

"I didn't mean to act like a brat," Julie said. "I just love that place so much. I hated when we had to leave it."

"We had some really great times there," Harry agreed. "And you were right to be angry...we should have told you."

"At least I didn't throw a fit right?" Julie teased. "And sneak Nick into my room and close the door?"

Harry chuckled. "Well, you're allowed to sneak Nick into your room now..."

Julie hugged her father. "Just not way back when right?"

"Right," Harry said hugging her back. "So we're okay now?"

"Yeah," Julie said. "As long as I can come visit anytime."

"Of course," Harry said.

"I brought you a biscuit back anyway Mummy," Ashley said coming into the sitting room. "You looked sad all day and chocolate always makes you feel better."

"Thank you sweetheart," Julie said taking the plate from her daughter. "That was very sweet of you."

"Did you draw this, Ash?" Harry asked picking up her sketch.

"Just now," Ashley nodded.

Harry shook his head. "You are so talented, Ash."

"Thanks Grandpa," Ashley glowed. "I really, really want to be an artist when I grow up."

"I think you're well on your way," Harry said proudly.

"I'm going to paint this one for you and Grandma," Ashley told him. "So you can hang it up in your house."

"We'd love that," Harry said smiling at her.

"Where's your sister?" Julie asked. "She worries me when she's quiet."

"She and Caroline are eating their biscuits in the kitchen with Emma," Ashley replied.

"Lizzy told me what a big help you've been with the triplets," Harry said to her.

"The babies are so cute," Ashley said. "I love holding them and it's so cool when she lets me feed them."

"Your Aunt Saffy used to help me with you," Julie said. "She was around your age when I had you."

"She did?" Ashley asked interestedly.

"She did," Julie said nodding. "She even liked changing your nappies...”

"Eww," Ashley wrinkled her nose and giggled. "I don't like that part!"

Harry laughed. "You have to change them though..."

"Mum said the first few weeks with me, you refused to do it," Julie said.

"Did you really not want to change Mummy's nappies?" Ashley laughed.

"I was just afraid I'd do it wrong," Harry said defensively.

"Uh huh," Julie nodded. "I'm sure that was it."

"It was!" Harry said innocently.

"Keep digging the hole, Dad," Julie said.

Saffron and Alexa came out of the kitchen and smiled at the younger girl.

"Jules, you know how me, Lex, Gabe and Sean were going to go into town tonight, right?" Saffron asked.

Julie nodded. "What of it?"

"I was wondering if Ash might want to come with us," Saffron said.

Ashley's eyes grew large. "Oh, Mummy! Can I?"

"What were you guys planning on doing?" Julie asked. "And how late are you staying in town?"

"Just a couple of hours," Saffron replied. "We were going to get some ice cream and go to the arcade."

"It's fine with me if it's okay with Nick," Julie said with a smile at her daughter. "She'd never forgive me if I said no."

Ashley beamed at her mother. "Thanks, Mummy."

"I'll keep her out of trouble," Saffron promised.

"Go on and ask your father," Julie said. "And get yourself a jumper- it can get cool at night."

"Okay," Ashley said practically running out of the sitting room.

"That's very sweet of you, Saffy," Harry said.

"Well she doesn't really have anyone her age around here," Saffron said as she and Alexa sat down. "Caroline and Katie are always playing tea party or something so I thought Ash might like to have some fun with us."

"Thank you for including her," Julie said smiling at her baby sister. "I know it means the world to her."

"I'm glad to do it Jules," Saffron grinned at her.

"When do RJ and Andrew get back?" Harry asked.

"Not until tomorrow," Alexa replied.

"I bet you guys miss them," Julie said sympathetically. "That's how it is for me when Nick's on tour."

"Yeah," Saffron said. "It's going to be even harder when we're away at school."

"Tell me about it," Alexa leaned back. "Is Sean meeting us here?"

Saffron nodded.

"Don't forget that we'll be going with your grandmother to the cemetery this week," Harry told her.

"I can't believe it's been a year," Julie said shaking her head.

"Yeah," Saffron's demeanour darkened a bit. "I still miss him so much."

Alexa put an arm around her best friend.

"Are you sure Gran's up for it?" Julie asked her father.

"I think she's really going to need us," Harry said. "She won't be able to do it alone."

"Will Ethan and Maddie go too?" Saffron asked.

"I'm sure everyone will be there," Harry nodded. "Your mum told them about it."

"We'll have to be really strong for Gran," Saffron said.

"I'm sure she'll appreciate that Saffy," Harry told her.

"Daddy said I could go," Ashley said as she came back into the room. "I whispered it to him so Katie wouldn't know."

Julie laughed. "Good thinking."

Harry reached into his trousers pocket for his wallet. "I'll give you girls some spending money..."

"Thanks Daddy," Saffron said with a smile. "I wasn't going to ask but since you're offering..."

"Mr. Potter, you don't have to give me any," Alexa said hastily. "My mum and dad gave me enough..."

"Nonsense," Harry said. "I'll give all of you a little something."

Alexa blushed. "Thanks..."

Harry smiled at his daughter's best friend. "You just keep an eye on Saffron," he joked.

"Ashley and I will make sure she stays out of trouble," Alexa said with a grin.

"Gee thanks you guys," Saffron said sarcastically as the doorbell rang. "That'll be Sean."

Alexa laughed when she saw Gabriel walk into the room with Emma in his arms. The little girl seemed to think Gabriel was the coolest person in the world and had attached herself to him.

"Em, you going to let Gabe go with us tonight?" Alexa teased.

"No," Emma shook her head.

"Remember I promised to bring you back a bear," Gabe said to her. "You said I could go if I brought you back a big bear."

"Oh," Emma's eyes widened. "Big bear for Em!"

"I promise I won't let him come back unless he has the bear," Alexa promised.

"Kay," Emma slid down and stumbled off towards Harry.

"You are great with her," Alexa said to Gabriel.

"Hard not to be," Gabriel said with a grin. "She's so cute."

At the door, Saffron was smiling at Sean who handed her a daisy.

"Sean!" she said laughing. "You didn't have to do this..."

"It was from the garden," Sean said. "And I remembered how much you loved daisies."

"That's sweet of you," she grinned.

"So your man couldn't make it back for tonight then?" Sean asked stepping into the house.

"No he's got to stay until tomorrow," Saffron replied. "He and RJ will both be back in the afternoon."

"So I get you all to myself tonight," Sean said winking at her.

"Don't let it go to your head," she teased. "Gabe, Alexa, Ash come on!" she hollered.

Emma waved at Gabriel. "Bear for Em!"

Gabriel laughed. "A big purple bear all right Emma?"

"Kay," Emma said smiling at him. She looked over at Julie. "Joos want bear too?"

Julie laughed. "No thank you Emma."

Once the teenagers and Ashley were gone, Julie grinned at her father. "You okay with Saffy going out with Sean?"

"They're just friends Jules," Harry replied.

"Which is why you're okay with it?" Julie asked teasingly.

"Exactly," Harry grinned at her.

"I can't imagine what we'll be like when Ash and Katie start dating," Julie said shaking her head.

"Nick will be completely overprotective and you'll be convincing him there's nothing to worry about," Harry said. "That is, if you're anything like your mum."

"I'm very much like Mum," Julie said. "The voice of reason."

Harry laughed. "There's one in every generation."

"You should take Mum for a walk on the beach," Julie suggested. "I'm sure she'd love that."

"That actually sounds like a great idea," Harry said. "We haven't been able to get much time to ourselves since coming here."

"I think she's upstairs reading," Julie said.

"Right," Harry got up. "Thanks for the idea Jules."

Hermione was upstairs in their bedroom reading a novel when Harry came into their bedroom. "Hi," she said looking up from her book.

"Hey," Harry replied. "How does a walk on the beach sound?"

Hermione smiled and closed her book. "That sounds lovely."

"Saffron, Alexa, Gabriel and Sean took Ashley along with them into town," Harry told her.

"That was sweet of them to include Ash," Hermione said grabbing a jumper from the closet.

"She was so excited," Harry replied as he grabbed his trainers.

"And I'm so glad that Gabriel is fitting in," Hermione said. "I know how much that means to Lavender."

"He's a good kid," Harry said. "I can't believe how much he looks like Seamus."

"He really does," Hermione agreed. "Did you and Julie make up?"

"She was upset about the cottage," Harry replied. "We may not be able to move in like we thought- I sort of offered it to her. I think she's going to talk to Nick about it."

"We can find a place kind of like it for ourselves," Hermione said thoughtfully.

"You don't mind?" he asked.

"If Julie wants it, I don't mind," Hermione replied.

Harry gave his wife a kiss. "Come on, let's go."

"Okay," Hermione said feeling a bit like a teenager going out on her first date.

They left quietly through the front door and headed down to the beach where the water was lapping quietly against the shore. "What a gorgeous night," Hermione closed her eyes.

"You can see all the stars," Harry said looking up at the sky.

"I love it when we come out here," Hermione leaned against him. "It's so peaceful."

"You know what this reminds me of?" Harry asked her with a grin.

"What?" she asked, smiling back at him as she squeezed his hand.

"I'll set the scene for you," Harry said. "You had on this red bikini with that blue sarong...and you were trying to get me drunk..."

Hermione laughed. "Honeymoon..."

"Exactly," Harry said pulling her close.

"The first night," Hermione said. "Not our wedding night... but the first night we were there on the island..."

***

Harry was asleep in bed when he felt someone tickling his arm. He opened his eyes and saw Hermione standing before him in her bathing suit and a sarong holding a bottle of champagne. "What time is it?" he asked groggily.

"Around two in the morning," she said with a grin. She tossed her long brown hair over her shoulder. "Come on, I've got a surprise for you..."

"I'm knackered, Hermione," Harry said pulling the pillow over his head.

"Too knackered for me?" she asked in a pouty voice.

"You're the one who got me in this state," Harry said in a muffled voice.

Hermione pressed her lips to his bare shoulder. "Harry come on... there's no one out there on the beach..."

"Okay," Harry said coming out from under the pillow. "Where's my trunks?"

"Right here," she tossed them over.

"Thanks," he said pulling back the covers and stepping into his trunks.

Hermione wasted no time in pulling him to her and kissing him as soon as he was out of bed.

"Is this the surprise?" he asked huskily. "Because I don't think I needed to get out of bed to do this."

"No but you did need to get out of the bed to do this on the beach..." she said in a low voice.

"Oh?" Harry asked.

She grabbed a blanket. "Come on," Hermione crooked her finger.

Harry suddenly felt very awake as he followed his wife onto the beach.

Hermione let her hips sway back and forth as Harry trailed behind her. "I found this spot earlier," she said.

"When were you outside?" he asked her.

"While you were in the shower," she explained. "I went for a quick walk."

Harry smiled. "This is really nice."

"What is?" Hermione stopped and asked.

"This. You. Me," Harry replied. "Beautiful night. Beautiful wife."

"You have a wonderful way with words," Hermione put her arms around his neck.

"Every now and then I get it right," he said before kissing her.

"Mmmm..." she closed her eyes. "I still can't believe we're married..."

"We are," he said against her neck.

Hermione dropped the blanket onto the ground. "I love you so much," she said softly.

"There's something I don't get tired of hearing," Harry said smiling at her.

"Of course not," she laughed. "Come on, pop that champagne."

"Okay," he said grabbing the bottle and doing as she asked.

Hermione spread the blanket on the ground and they perched there together. "Day two has been magnificent," she said with a grin. "So far..."

"We are only two hours into day two," Harry said pouring her a glass.

"Aye," Hermione laughed. "And so far it's amazing. And it's only going to get better."

"You do realise that things won't always be this perfect?" Harry asked her. "We'll have rows and you'll think I'm an arse..."

"But never for long," Hermione said. "And as long as you keep kissing me I won't care about anything for the next two weeks."

"Now that I can do," Harry said setting aside his glass. "Come here, wife."

"I'm still not used to hearing that," she confessed as she moved closer.

"Do you prefer the old ball and chain?" Harry asked teasingly.

Hermione poked his shoulder. "What do you think?"

"I'll take that as a no," Harry said giving her a kiss. "I could definitely get used to this."

"Me too," Hermione relaxed into his arms. "Being alone with you is the best feeling in the world."

"No annoying cousins to bother us," Harry said kissing the top of her head. "Or annoying best friends who want to raid our icebox."

"Right," she laughed. "Just you and me... all alone on a moonlit beach... with a blanket and a bottle of champagne..."

He loved everything about his wife, but seeing her like this---carefree and relaxed---was just about to drive him crazy. He pulled away to look properly at her and his eyes darkened as she brushed her long hair over her shoulder.

"I'm sure you remember this bikini," she said in a sultry voice.

Harry reached out and touched her shoulder, toying with one of the bikini straps. "I remember it quite fondly."

"I'm glad Lav convinced me to buy it," she let him slip one of the straps down her shoulder.

"So I have Lavender to thank for bringing this into my life?" Harry asked.

"I'm the one wearing it," Hermione replied, pushing the other strap down.

"Not for long," Harry said huskily.

She grinned. "Exactly what I wanted to hear..."

He reached around her back and undid the strings. "You're so beautiful, Hermione."

She kept her eyes trained on his as he peeled the garments off her. "I've still never seen anyone as handsome as you Harry James."

"Flattery will get you everywhere," he said before kissing her once more.

Hermione laughed as she tugged on his swim trunks. "Get those off Potter."

"Already ordering me around, aren't you?" Harry asked, but doing exactly as she requested.

"You know it," Hermione said in a lusty voice.

Harry's eyes darkened as he pulled her closer.

She melted against him as they kissed again, rolling over on the blanket. "I'm so happy," she murmured. "You make me so happy..."

"That's all that I want for you," he said smiling down at her. "For you to be happy. You've given me so much."

"We're going to have a great life," she pushed his hair out of his eyes.

"With lots and lots and lots of babies?" he asked with a smirk.

"Long as you plan on carrying most of them," she retorted playfully.

"Maybe I should rephrase that," he said thoughtfully. "A boy and girl...a girl with your brains and beauty and a boy with my good looks and charm..."

"That sounds about right," she laughed. "You, me, a little boy and a little girl... how perfect."

"So," Harry said after kissing her forehead. "When do you want to get started?"

"When do you think?" she asked huskily.

"Now?" he asked. "But I thought you'd..."

"I'd what?" Hermione asked.

"This afternoon when we arrived at the hotel, you said you were going to take care of something in the loo," Harry said. "I thought you meant you were going to cast a protection charm..."

"That's for me to know..." Hermione kissed him lightly. "And you to find out..."

"Mrs. Potter---" Harry said. "That's not fair---"

"Oh come on, if at first you don't succeed, try, try again." she said in a sing song manner.

***

Harry stared at his wife who years later still managed to take his breath away. "I guess the answer to that one is out of the bag now since Julie was conceived on our honeymoon."

Hermione laughed. "We didn't waste any time."

"No," Harry said laughing, too. "And we did have a little girl and then a boy and then another girl...."

"We have the best life," Hermione took a deep breath of the sea air.

"Yes we do," Harry said standing behind her and putting his arms around her waist.

"Did you ever think you'd end up being this happy?" she asked softly.

"Not really," he said. "But then I saw this pretty girl in a parking lot...."

Hermione laughed. "And after she had to sweep you off your feet..."

"After she realised he really wasn't a moody, self-absorbed---"

"Prat," Hermione finished. "She fell head over heels and so did he."

"And their lives changed in one summer," Harry said turning her around and pulling her to him. "A little hard to dance in the sand, but I'm willing to risk it..."

Hermione began to hum the familiar tango song. "How's this?"

"Very nice," Harry said chuckling as they began to tango. "Ahhhh, you're quite good at this, Miss Granger! Have you had lessons?"

"Why yes I have," Hermione said. "And it's Mrs. Potter now, thank you."

"Just testing you," Harry said dipping his wife.

Hermione pressed her lips to his when he brought her back up.

"What was that for?" Harry asked.

"Just for being you," she smiled dreamily at him.

He grinned and spun her around. "I love you, sweetheart."

"I love you," Hermione replied softly.

114. 114!!

Hi guys- sorry again that this chapter is late but my dumb copy of Word on my laptop wouldn’t open the file so I had to transfer it to my desktop and voila!

Hope you guys enjoy this, and PLEASE review! Thankies!

Frankie was sitting on the sofa that evening waiting for her husband to get home. She was worried he wouldn't be back until late and was about to get up and ring him when she heard him come in through the front door.

"Hi," he said quietly, setting his briefcase down by the door. "I didn't expect you home."

"I've been home all evening," she said. "How was your golf game?"

"It was okay," he said with a shrug. "I didn't stay long. I spent the rest of the afternoon in the office catching up on some things."

"Oh," Frankie folded her arms around herself. "I um... I made some dinner, if you're hungry."

"Sure," Will said. "What did you make?"

"Some salad," Frankie said. "And some shepherd's pie."

"My favourites," Will said heading toward the kitchen. "You didn't have to---"

"I wanted to," Frankie followed him. "Sit down and I'll get it for you."

"Okay," he said taking a seat. "How was your day? Did you see Maddie?"

"Yeah I was over there earlier," Frankie said as she poured them both a glass of wine. She's really excited about the wedding. So's Ethan for that matter."

Will nodded, watching his wife as she handed him the glass of wine. He hadn't been able to think of anything else all day. He'd always hated arguing with her, but he didn't even know where to begin to make this right.

"Here you go," she said, setting a plate down. "It's still hot and everything."

"Thanks," he said instinctively reaching for her hand.

Frankie chanced a smile at him as his fingers slid over hers. "Will I'm sorry," she began. "I hate fighting with you."

"Me too," he said softly. "I'm sorry too."

"You have nothing to be sorry about," Frankie shook her head. "I shouldn't have acted the way I did about not being pregnant... I didn't stop to think about your feelings."

"And I didn't care about what you wanted," Will said pulling her into his arms. "I only thought about what I wanted and how I felt."

Frankie pressed her face into his neck. "I love you so much Will. You're the best thing that ever happened to me and I don't want this to come between us."

"We won't let it," he promised. "We'll have a family if and when we're both ready."

"I talked to Maddie," Frankie said. "And she suggested that perhaps we go to counselling about this."

"It might be a good idea," Will said thoughtfully. "My mum said the same thing..."

"Just to talk to someone neutral about it," Frankie was encouraged.

"We should look into it," Will said squeezing her hand.

"First thing tomorrow I'll ask Lizzy for any recommendations," Frankie said. "But let me be honest with you here right now okay?"

"Okay," he said softly. "What is it?"

"The real reason I freaked out so bad is because I'm terrified of having children," Frankie confessed. "I never told you that before and I should have. I'm scared to death of being a bad mum."

"Frankie---"

"I know it sounds like a shite excuse," Frankie hurried on. "But that's what I love about being an aunt. We can keep them for a few hours then they go home to their real parents. And I don't want to disappoint you Will."

"You could never, ever disappoint me," he said. "Frankie, you are the most determined, ambitious person I know. You've been great at everything you've ever set your mind to do. And I'll let you in on a little secret...I'm scared, too. It is a huge responsibility."

"You're scared too?" she asked feeling comforted by that thought. "Really?"

"Yes," he replied. "It's the biggest thing either of us will ever attempt to do. We'll be responsible for a little boy or a little girl who is going to depend on us for everything."

"I guess I just need to remember that I'm not alone," Frankie stroked his hair back. "You've changed my mind about so many things Will Barron."

Will gave her a lingering kiss. "You did say you were never going to get married."

"I know," she said. "Who'd have thought I'd be sitting here a kept woman?"

"Me, the first time I set eyes on you," Will teased.

"When you were bumbling over yourself at the bar?" Frankie joked.

"Yes, that would be when," Will said laughing.

"Well in case I've never told you," Frankie ran her fingernails through his hair. "I was sort of hooked on you from that first night too."

"You said you weren't very impressed with me," Will said.

"I had to play it cool," Frankie laughed.

"You did a good job," he said laughing too.

"But you won out in the end," Frankie said. "I couldn't stay away from you."

"I love you, Frankie," he said. "No matter what."

"Same here," Frankie kissed him. "Bloody love of my life."

Will hugged her to him. "We're okay then?"

Frankie nodded. "Very okay," she replied. "And I promise from now on to be more honest and open with you about these things."

"And I'll do the same," he promised.

"All right," Frankie said. "Let's eat and then we can take our discussion to bed."

"Making up," Will said grinning at her. "The best part of fighting."

"Are you in the mood for some Frankie Gai Pan?" she whispered huskily in his ear.

"Have you ever known me to turn that down," Will asked her.

"Never," Frankie kissed him again. "Thank you," she said, running her hands over his shoulders.

"Thank you," Will echoed.

*** *** ***

Drew, Brian, Hans and Darla were currently enjoying an afternoon in the little town near the beach house. "I love old antique towns like this," Darla gushed. "You never know what neat things you can find in the shops."

Hans groaned. "Not another antique store Dar..."

"Shut it you," Darla said over her shoulder as she walked into the shop.

Brian laughed. "You're stuck Hans- bet you never knew she was a shopaholic."

"I knew," Hans said shaking his head.

Drew grinned. "What if I said I liked shopping for antiques and dragged you around? Would you complain too?"

"Maybe a little," Brian said taking her hand.

"It's a guy thing," Darla said, beckoning to Drew. "Come here I want to show you something."

"What?" Drew asked.

"You know how Maddie's been looking for a tiara to wear with her veil?" Darla pointed to a lovely antique jewelled one in a display case. "Think she'd like that?"

Drew smiled. "Dar, that's gorgeous!"

"I'm going to get it for her," Darla said. "And even if she doesn't like it, we can put it on display in our own office."

"I think Maddie will love it," Drew said.

"At least we didn't have to spend an hour in here," Hans muttered to Brian when the girls went up to pay.

"At least they're not clothes shopping," Brian said.

"I feel like some ice cream," Drew came back. "Anyone else? There's a great ice cream parlour right down the street."

"Food," Hans said. "There's something I don't mind shopping for. Lead the way..."

"All I have to do is mention his stomach," Darla teased her boyfriend.

"Because of that, I fit in well with your family," Hans said proudly.

"That you do," Darla kissed him. "And I love it."

"My dad wanted to come with when he heard I was going on holiday with Drew's family," Brian said. "He wants to pick RJ's brain..."

Drew laughed. "My parents want to have dinner with yours when we get back. I'll ask RJ to come with so your dad can meet him."

"You'll make his year," Brian said grinning at her.

They were almost to the ice cream parlour when Drew stopped at another storefront. "Wait a minute you guys," she said, looking through the window.

"What?" Brian asked nearly bumping into her. He peered inside. "Tattoos?"

"I've always thought about getting one," Drew said thoughtfully.

"Me too," Darla chimed in.

"Not me," Brian said shaking his head. "I am comfortable enough in my manhood to admit that I have a very low threshold for pain."

Drew laughed. "No time like the present," she looked at her twin. "Are you game?"

Darla grinned. "Let's do it!"

"Darla--" Hans said grabbing her arm. "These things are permanent. Are you sure?"

"Positive," Darla said. "I'll even let you pick mine out."

"I might pick out something horrible," Hans teased.

"You wouldn't do that to me," Darla said confidently.

"I already know exactly what I want," Drew went inside, Brian trailing behind her.

"What's that, Drew?" Brian asked as she looked at some designs on the wall.

"I want Hope's name tattooed on my lower back," Drew replied. "Just a way to keep her with me always."

Brian put his arm around her. "That's sweet."

"You'll hold my hand while they do this right?" Drew asked him. "I am a little bit nervous."

"Yeah, but I might close my eyes while I do it," Brian said grinning at her.

"That's okay," Drew kissed him. "Long as you stay with me."

"Okay," he said. They both laughed when they saw Hans and Darla arguing a few feet away.

"I am not getting that!" she said hitting him on the arm.

"You said I could pick it out," Hans replied.

"Anything but that!" she said pointing at it. "That's obscene!"

"It's sexy," Hans grinned.

"If you like it so much, you get it then," Darla said rolling her eyes.

"How about this one," Hans pointed to another.

"A football?" she asked him. "I'd just as soon have a snitch!"

"Fine then I won't pick one out," Hans crossed his arms.

"I'm just saying that you know me," Darla said. "And you should pick out something that fits my personality and things that I like, Hans."

"All right," Hans flipped through one of the books.

"Honestly!" Darla said shaking her head.

"Which one of you is up first?" a burly looking man behind the counter asked.

"Me," Drew said in a small voice. "My sister hasn't made up her mind yet."

"I've heard it doesn't hurt Drew," Darla said. "At least not that much."

"Doesn't hurt, love," the man said holding out both his arms. "See?"

"You certainly have quite a bit," Drew said looking at his arms that were completely covered in tattoos.

"I guess that's a good thing," Brian said. "Means you sure know what you're doing."

"Do you know which one you want?" the man asked ignoring Brian.

"I'd like my daughter's name on my lower back," Drew said.

"What's her name love?" the man asked, letting her behind the counter to sign some release forms.

"Hope," Drew answered. "I'd like it in some sort of script."

"Here's some samples, Drew," Brian said pointing to a display.

"Thanks Brian," Drew smiled at him and after signing the forms, picked out the script she wanted.

"How about a butterfly, Darla?" Hans asked his girlfriend.

"Everyone has a butterfly," Darla replied.

"You could get my name tattooed on your arse," Hans joked.

"I'm going to forget you said that," Darla said with a groan.

"Come on Dar I was kidding," Hans wrapped his arms around her.

"Okay," she said relaxing against him.

"You like roses," he pointed to another sample.

"Roses are about as overdone as butterflies," she said shaking her head.

"Well then I don't know what you want," Hans shrugged. "I'm out."

"I'm sorry for being picky," she said. "This is something that I'm going to have forever."

"I just don't know what else you'd want," Hans looked around as Drew sat on the table.

"Neither do I," Darla said still looking at the designs.

"So no second thoughts?" the tattoo artist asked Drew.

"Not really," Drew answered nervously.

Brian took her hand. "I'm right here."

Drew nodded as Brian smiled at her reassuringly.

"This won't really hurt," the tattoo artist said. "It's small, so it'll take less than ten minutes to do."

"Okay," Drew said. "I'm ready."

She jumped the first time the needle touched her skin but Drew quickly realised the tattoo artist was right- it didn't sting too much.

She smiled when she saw that Brian's eyes were closed. "You big baby."

"I hate needles," he confessed.

Drew squeezed his hand. "Thank you for being here for me though."

"Sure," he smiled a bit weakly as he avoided looking at her back.

"You don't have to get one, Dar," Hans said.

"I want one," Darla began looking through a book of Japanese symbols.

"O-kay," Hans said holding his hands up in defeat. "Where are you planning on getting it? Your ankle? Your back?"

"Probably the same place as Drew's," Darla looked over at her sister.

Hans glanced over there too. "She seems to be doing okay."

"Oooh..." Darla pointed to one of the symbols. "This means love... what do you think?"

Hans studied it and then looked up and met Darla's gaze. "I like that."

"Good," she smiled at him. "We finally agree."

"Finally," he laughed.

"Did you pick one Dar?" Drew asked. Hers was almost finished.

"Yes finally," Darla said. "When you get finished, I'll show you which one."

"How's it feel?" Brian asked his girlfriend as she finished up.

"Tingles a bit, but it doesn't hurt," Drew replied. "How does it look?"

"Pretty cool," Brian told her. "I think you'll like it a lot."

"Hold on just a second love and I'll give you a mirror to see," the tattoo artist said.

"I can't wait," Drew said excitedly.

Darla had just finished up signing her release forms when she too came around the counter. "Drew, it's beautiful!"

Drew smiled as the tattoo artist brought over a hand mirror. "Go take a look." he said to her.

Drew eagerly took the mirror and walked over to the larger mirror on the wall.

"Oh it's perfect," she whispered. "Absolutely perfect."

Brian smiled and hugged her. "Hope."

"That's perfect for you," Darla smiled at her sister as the tattoo artist explained how to take care of the new tattoo.

"How will your parents react to it?" Hans asked. "I know you're grown women---"

"Mum will be okay, but I imagine Dad will freak out," Darla replied thoughtfully.

"What's he going to really do?" Drew got off the table. "I mean, we're living on our own and we're in our 20's... there's not a whole lot that Dad can say."

"He'll get over it," Darla said. "But we'll probably have to deal with the disappointed look for a couple of days."

"I'll tell him I was against it," Hans said. "And I tried to talk you out of it."

"He's not going to blame you," Darla chided as she hopped up onto the table and beamed at the tattoo artist. "I'm ready!"

"You sure are," he said with a laugh.

Just like Drew, Darla also winced a bit when the needle bit through her skin but quickly grew accustomed to the feeling. "I can't wait to see what it looks like," she said.

"Neither can I," Drew said. "Darla, you're doing great."

"It doesn't hurt," Darla replied. "Too bad our boyfriends are such wusses."

"I never said I wasn't," Brian said putting an arm around Drew.

A couple of hours later, the two couples returned to the beach house where most everyone was on the beach.

"Hi girls," Luna said. "How was shopping?"

"Great," Darla grinned mischievously at her twin.

"Did you buy your old man anything?" Ron asked coming over to give them a hug. "Fudge?"

"Yes, Dad," Darla said handing him a box. "Just as requested."

"That's my girl," Ron said pecking her on the cheek.

"As if you'd let us forget," Drew teased.

"Em want one!" Emma said toddling over to her grandfather.

"Em, you'll spoil your dinner," Ron said swallowing the bite he'd just popped into his mouth.

"Gampa!" Emma gave him a stern look.

"Sweets can be really bad for you, Emma," Ron lectured.

"Gampa!" Emma said stamping her foot.

Drew leaned over to pick up her niece. As she did so, Ron caught sight of something on her lower back. "Drew----"

"What?" Drew gave her father an innocent smile.

"What is that?" Ron asked.

"We got tattoos," Darla said smiling at her father.

"WHAT?" Ron roared.

"Dad stop overacting," Darla replied calmly.

"Let me see, girls," Luna said.

"LUNA!" Ron protested.

"Ronald relax," Luna said. "They're old enough to do what they want to their bodies."

"Pretty!" Emma said clapping her hands.

"Thank you Emma," Drew scooped her up and gave her a kiss.

"It's Hope's name," Luna said softly. "Oh, Drew..."

"Now she's always going to be with me," Drew said.

"Mine is the Japanese kanji symbol for love," Darla lifted the back of her shirt as Ron fumed.

"They're lovely," Luna said.

"I'm going for a walk," Ron said stalking off.

"Dad come on don't get in a strop," Drew followed after him. "We did this on a whim- we were passing by the shop in town and just decided to get them done."

"You know how I feel about stuff like that," Ron said turning to look at her. "You girls didn't need to do that."

"We never knew you hated tattoos," Drew said honestly.

"Well you would have if you'd asked!" Ron exclaimed. "God, I'm turning into my mother..."

"Dad come on," Drew said. "We're still your sweet little girls..."

"Of course you are, but I'm going to need some time to get used to this," Ron said.

"Come on, let's go have some of that fudge before Emma eats it all." Drew gave him a cajoling grin.

"Okay," Ron said quietly.

Luna gave her husband a look when he came back in. "Are you going to pout over this?" she asked him.

"A little," Ron said picking up the box of fudge.

"Be happy," Emma said from her perch on Darla's lap.

"All right," Ron replied. "Does my little mermaid Em want me to be happy?"

Emma giggled and nodded her head.

"I guess I can't say no to that face," Ron held out a piece of fudge and Emma scrambled over to him.

"Tanks Gampa," Emma said taking the fudge.

The front door opened and everyone turned to see RJ.

"I'm back!" RJ said setting his bags down.

"Hey," Ron smiled genuinely as he stood up. "How were your meetings Mr. Big Star Keeper?"

"Tiring," RJ said not mentioning that he was still a little hungover. "Andrew back yet?"

"He arrived this morning," Ron said. "He went into town with Saffron, Alexa and Gabriel."

"I missed them again?" RJ frowned.

"Look at it this way little brother," Drew said coming over to hug her brother. "You get to spend time with us."

"Great," RJ said sarcastically but he was grinning. "Let me go put this stuff upstairs."

"Are you hungry, RJ?" Luna asked her son. "I can make you a sandwich or something..."

"Sure Mum," RJ called back. "I'll eat anything I'm starved."

Ron followed his son upstairs. "Did you see Paul?"

"Yeah," RJ scowled. "I didn't even talk to the wanker. He tried to come up to me and I ducked away."

"Good," Ron said. "I was worried about what would happen if you saw him."

"I wanted to beat the shite out of him," RJ said, tossing his bag onto his bed.

Ron knew his son would see more and more of Paul over the next few months and he hated to think what it would be like for his son to play against the man who had brought so much pain to his big sister.

"Don't worry Dad," RJ said when he saw his father's face. "I won't do anything unless he starts it first all right?"

"Okay," Ron said in a relieved voice. "So other than that, how was the past couple of days?"

"A big haze," RJ said with a grin. "After the meetings we all went out and drank."

"Don't tell your mum about that," Ron said. "She doesn't like hearing about that."

"I won't." RJ agreed. "I'm going to try and ring Saf to see if I can meet them in town. I can't wait to see Lexie."

"Okay son," Ron said. "I'll go see if your mum will make me a sandwich too."

RJ laughed and went out into the hall to get the telephone. He dialled Saffron's mobile number and a few moments later he heard her bubbly voice on the other end.

"Hi, RJ!" Saffron exclaimed. "Are you back?"

"Just got in a few minutes ago," RJ said. "Lexie with you?"

"Yeah she's right here," Saffron replied. "Hold on."

"RJ," Alexa's familiar voice said. "I'm so glad you're back!"

"Hey gorgeous," RJ smiled. "I missed you."

"I missed you too," she said softly. "We didn't know what time you were going to be home so we went out without you."

"My mum's making me something to eat but then I thought I'd Apparate into town and meet you lot," RJ replied.

"I have a little surprise for you," Alexa said. "I can play billiards now. Can you believe it?"

"Who taught you?" RJ laughed.

"Last night, Gabe, Saffy, Sean and Ashley and I went into town," Alexa said. "And Gabe was determined to make me into a great player. And I think he must be the world's greatest teacher, because I actually did well. Can you believe it?"

"Yeah..." RJ's smile dropped. "I'll uh... have to play with you to see how good you are now."

"I'll beat the trousers off of you," Alexa said. "We're going to the arcade now. We'll meet you there, okay?"

"All right," RJ said. "I'll be there in about ten minutes."

"Okay," Alexa said. "Love you."

"I love you," RJ said, feeling better. "A lot..."

Alexa had already clicked off the phone and didn't hear his last words.

RJ hurried and ate the sandwich his mother had made for him so he could get to the arcade as fast as possible. For some reason he didn't want Alexa spending any more time alone with this Gabe bloke than she already had.

When he arrived at the crowded arcade, he couldn't see either of his friends or Alexa.

He walked around for several minutes before he spied a head of red hair at the ski ball machines in back.

"You nearly took that man's eye out, O'Leary!" Gabriel teased.

"I didn't mean to throw it so hard," she said blushing. "I was trying to get the most points!"

"I think you've got plenty," Gabriel said dryly. "And Saffy's over there scoring major ones with Andrew."

"Ha-ha!" Alexa said picking up another ball. "Here we go. Watch and learn."

"Learn what?" RJ came up behind her.

"RJ!" Alexa exclaimed throwing her arms around him.

"Hey," RJ spun her around. "Missed you a lot."

"I missed you too," she said giving him a kiss. "You don't have to leave the rest of the holiday right?"

"No way," RJ said. "I'm all yours."

"Good to have you back, RJ," Gabriel said clearing his throat.

"Gabe's been nice enough to keep me company," Alexa said smiling at her new friend.

"Good to see you mate," RJ said. "Glad you've been having a fun time."

"Emma's taken quite the shine to him too," Alexa said. "You should have seen the teddy bear he won for her last night."

"You mean the one she was clutching when I walked in?" RJ asked with a grin. "The huge purple one?"

"That's the one," Alexa said.

"She's a good kid," Gabriel said.

"She's my goddaughter," RJ said. "Eats just like me and Dad."

Gabriel and Alexa laughed as Andrew and Saffron joined them.

"You're still alive then?" Andrew asked clapping his best friend on the back.

"Just barely," RJ grinned. "You and Saf making up for lost time?"

"Of course," Andrew said putting an arm around her. "You tell Lex about that big party?"

"What party is this?" Alexa asked.

"Puddlemere has this big blowout at the end of the summer to start off the season," RJ explained. "I don’t know if you'd be able to go, Lex."

"I should be," Alexa said. "I'll check when I'm working at the bakery when we go back home."

"Um," RJ said uncomfortably. "It's not that..."

"What is it?" Alexa asked.

"The club that they're holding it at doesn't allow underage witches or wizards," RJ explained.

"Oh," Alexa said quietly.

"That's just plain stupid," Saffron replied. "If she's your girlfriend she should be able to go."

"My hands are tied, Saf," RJ said. "I asked the coach and he said that there was no way around it and the last thing they needed was some scandal..."

"It's okay," Alexa said forcing a smile. "I'm not into all that anyway."

"I'll make it up to you," RJ promised.

"Okay," Alexa said softly.

"How about you show me your new billiards skills?" RJ asked, squeezing her hand. "I've missed you a lot Lex. I thought about you all weekend."

"Okay," Alexa said. She turned to look at Gabriel. "We'll finish our game later, okay?"

He nodded and watched as she and RJ walked toward the back of the arcade. Andrew excused himself to go and get some more tokens, leaving Saffron and Gabriel alone.

"Are you having fun?" Saffron asked.

Gabriel nodded. "Yeah, too bad we couldn't finish the game, though."

"I'll finish it with you," Saffron offered.

"Thanks, cousin," Gabriel said.

"Prepare to get slaughtered," Saffron nudged him.

"You know you should really work on your confidence," Gabriel said dryly.

"Modesty is a virtue that I do not possess," Saffron tossed her hair back.

"I picked up on that pretty quickly," Gabriel said watching as she rolled her first ball.

"That's why you fit in just fine," Saffron said.

"Forty points," Gabriel said admiringly. "Good one, Saf."

"Thanks," she grinned. "Go ahead."

Gabriel rolled his ball and scored fifty points and he shot a triumphant look at his cousin.

"Lucky throw," she said, grabbing another ball.

"Go ahead superstar," Gabriel said leaning against the wall.

Saffron rolled the ball up. "One hundred!" she cried triumphantly. "I RULE!"

Gabriel stared at her. "You sure you didn't use magic?"

"I can't," Saffron shushed him. "I'm underage."

"Seems like that's stopping a lot of people from doing things," Gabriel said before he could stop himself. "Sorry, it's not my place..."

"What do you mean?" Saffron asked curiously.

"Alexa not being able to go to that party," Gabriel said quietly.

"That has nothing to do with magic," Saffron told him.

"But her being underage does," Gabriel said.

"Well yeah but we can't really do anything about that," she replied. "It would be that way even if we were Muggles."

"I know," Gabriel said. "I just---"

"Fancy her?" Saffron suggested.

"She's just a nice person," Gabriel hastily took his turn.

Saffron folded her arms. "Gabriel..."

"Don't lecture me all right?" Gabriel said.

"I wasn't going to," she said.

"Fine," he said stepping aside. "She's my friend- I'm not the type of bloke to come between a girl and the guy she loves. I've just enjoyed getting to know her- and you as well. Doesn't mean I fancy you."

"I know that," she said gently. "Gabe, I wasn't going to lecture you. And I'm not trying to make you uncomfortable. I'm glad that you've been here."

"Thanks," he smiled at her.

"Aunt Lav said that you were going to your dad's set tomorrow," Saffron said after she rolled another ball.

"Yeah I'll be there all day," Gabriel replied as she scored another hundred points. "It's funny I've lived in California all my life and I've only seen maybe three celebrities. Now I find out my father is one of the biggest directors in the industry."

"Pretty cool, huh?" Saffron asked. "Or surreal..."

"Yeah," he nodded. "I mean at least you've grown up in the spotlight because of who your parents are- in your world that's huge. Celebrities are huge in mine and my dad's the big deal."

"But you'd never know your dad is who he is," Saffron said. "I mean he's the most down-to-earth person..."

"He's really fantastic," Gabriel nodded. "At first I regretted searching him out but now I'm glad I did."

"So am I," Saffron said. "You'd never have met me for one..."

"What would my life be like?" Gabriel asked dryly as he rolled his last ball.

"Dreadful, boring and lonely," Saffron said beaming at him.

"Don't ever change, Saffron," Gabriel chuckled as Andrew came back over.

"Sorry the queue was long," Andrew said. "Wow. Saffy's beating you, mate."

"Don't I know it," Gabriel said with a laugh.

"I always win," Saffron gave her boyfriend a kiss.

"I demand a rematch," Gabriel said.

"I'd still beat your trousers off," Saffron replied. "And I want to play something else."

"Like what?" Andrew asked. "Whack-a-mole?"

"Anything you can win me something on," Saffron grabbed his hand. "Come on Andrew get me a toy."

"You want a big stuffed animal?" Andrew asked. "How old are you?"

Saffron poked him in the side. "Never too old enough for something that you won for me."

"Okay then," Andrew said laughing. "Let's go see what I can win for you. You coming Gabe?"

"Sure," Gabriel answered, wishing he could be playing a game with Alexa instead.

Meanwhile, in the back of the arcade, Alexa sat on a stool with RJ while they waited for the billiards table.

"They really are a great bunch of blokes," RJ was saying. "And the pub we went to last night---we didn't even have to pay for the drinks. How great is that?"

"Great," Alexa forced a smile. "Sounds like you had a great time."

"I really did," RJ said grinning at her. "Best time I've ever had. And since that initiation, they're treating me like one of their own."

"No more dresses I take it?" Alexa laughed.

"No, no more dresses," RJ said shaking his head. "And you'll never believe who I met last night."

"Who?" Alexa reached for his hand.

"Serena Starr," RJ replied. "You know that singer? She looks even better in person and she was really nice."

"Oh..." Alexa's smile froze on her face. "That's... really nice..."

"And she said that I wasn't that bad a dancer," RJ said with a proud grin.

"You danced with her?" Alexa's smile slipped.

RJ nodded. "A couple of times."

Alexa nodded, wishing she didn't feel so jealous.

"She's singing at that party," RJ said. "If you want, I can get you an autograph."

"That's okay," Alexa said. "I'm not really a fan to be honest."

"Oh, okay," RJ said with a shrug. He turned his attention back to the two guys who were finishing up their game. "So, you and Saffy had a good time?"

"Yeah," Alexa replied, pulling her hand out of his.

"Something wrong, Lex?" RJ asked.

"No," she lied unconvincingly.

"Lex--"

"I'm glad you had a good time," she forced a smile onto her face. "Really RJ, I am. I'm glad you're having the time of your life- this is what you always wanted."

"Is this about the party?" he asked her. "You said you were okay with not being able to go..."

"I understand about the party," Alexa replied.

"I can tell something's wrong," he said taking her hand again.

"I just really missed you is all," Alexa said softly as he tucked her hair behind her ear. "I feel like we're being pulled apart."

"That's not going to happen," he promised. "In fact, I think you and I should have a night all to ourselves....just the two of us."

She smiled at him as he leaned in and gave her a proper kiss. "All right," Alexa said. "We'll go out to dinner and then take a walk on the beach or something."

"Or something?" RJ asked grinning at her.

She nudged him. "Don't you go getting ideas Ron Jr."

"Me?" RJ asked innocently. "I don't get ideas."

"You're a guy, you all have ideas." Alexa said as the boys finally finished at the billiards table.

"About?" RJ asked.

"Never mind," Alexa said. "Come on let's just play. I'm dying to show off."

"Are you now?" RJ asked. "I doubt that Gabe helped you out that much, Lex."

"Oh come on I wasn't THAT bad before," Alexa replied.

"You weren't that great," RJ teased.

"Neither are you if I recall correctly," Alexa tossed him an annoyed glance. "At least I'm trying."

"Okay," RJ said laughing. "Let's see what you got."

"Come on Andrew!" Saffron cheered. "Win me that big orange ape up there!"

"That thing?" Andrew asked. "Saffy---"

"It's cute and I like it," Saffron smiled at him. "Sort of reminds me of you in a weird way." she added, making Gabriel snort back his laughter.

"Okay," Andrew said handing the man behind the counter some money. "I just have to hit three of them right?"

"That's right young man," the man handed him three balls. "And you'll get whatever prize you like."

Saffron kissed Andrew's cheek. "For luck."

"I could use a little more of that later," he teased.

"Depends on whether you win me the ape," Saffron said grinning at him.

"I see how it is," Andrew said. "All right..."

"Come on, Andrew!" Saffron said clapping her hands.

Andrew threw his first ball at the bottles as hard as he could and managed to knock the top one off.

"Good start," Saffron said grinning at him. "Two more to go!"

"I'll get this," Andrew said, throwing his second ball.

Saffron squealed when Andrew managed to knock down another bottle. "One more!"

"That ape is as good as yours Saf," Andrew grinned at her.

Saffron crossed her fingers and watched as her boyfriend hit the third bottle. "That's my big strong man!"

"Yeah!" Andrew pumped his fist in the air.

Gabriel laughed as Andrew spun Saffron around.

"You are too much," he told Saffron as she squealed when the man handed the ape to her.

"You aren't the first person to say that to me," Saffron said hugging the ape.

"The things we do for the girls we love, right Gabe?" Andrew asked laughing.

"Tell me about it," he smiled. "What are you going to name it?" Gabriel joked.

"Andrew III," Saffron answered promptly.

"Andrew the Third?" Gabriel asked. "Okay...."

"He's a junior," Saffron explained as Andrew turned red.

"Oh," Gabriel said. "Just like RJ."

"Except he's cuter and nicer and sweeter," Saffron said.

"Thanks Saf," Andrew said. "Now where's more of that good luck you promised?"

"Right here," Saffron said looping her arms around his neck.

Gabriel shook his head before turning away to look at another game.

"I love my ape," she grinned before kissing him.

"Me or that orange thing?" Andrew asked.

"Well I love you just a bit more," Saffron teased.

"Good answer," Andrew said. He took the ape from Saffron. "You not worried that your little Puddles is going to eat him?"

"Puddles doesn't like cotton," Saffron said. "Just people food."

"And he loves you," Andrew said smiling at her.

"Just like you do," she kissed him again as they walked over to the billiards table where RJ and Alexa were concentrating on their game.

"How's it going in here?" Andrew asked.

"She's kicking my arse," RJ admitted.

"Thanks to Gabe," Alexa said smiling at the brown-haired boy as he joined their group.

"I do my best," he grinned at her.

"He was a patient teacher," Alexa said. "How long did we play last night?"

"Feels like forever," Saffron said. "I thought we'd never get out of here."

"The important thing was that we had fun," Alexa said.

"Damn it!" RJ cursed as he missed his shot.

Alexa giggled. "My turn..."

"Remember what I showed you," Gabriel coached.

"I know," Alexa concentrated as she made her shot.

Alexa sank her shot and Andrew, Gabriel and Saffron cheered.

"I stand corrected," RJ slid his arm around his girlfriend. "You're damn good at this Lexie."

"Told you so," Alexa said winking at him.

RJ gave her a kiss. "I'll buy you an ice cream tonight before we walk on the beach all right? To celebrate your win."

"Banana split," Alexa said hugging him tightly.

Gabriel quickly turned away; a move that didn't go unnoticed by Saffron.

"Come on," Andrew said. "We should get back to the house. Saf and I wanted to go out on the boat this afternoon."

"Yeah," RJ said. "I'd like to fit in a kip somewhere, too. I'm knackered."

"Sounds good to me," Alexa agreed. "Come on Gabe."

"Right behind you," Gabriel said.

115. 115!!!

AN: Here we go- I made this one a little early since I’ve been late the past few times in posting :) This chapter is ALL Gabriel, next one will have more of the ‘crew’ back again. We hope you enjoy Lav’s character in this part and please don’t forget to let us know what you think!!

And to all our American readers- Happy 4th of July!

Gabriel looked around in awe at his father's set. This action film was going to be amazing, he could tell just by the looks of things.

"I can't believe you work here every day!" he exclaimed. "This place is incredible!"

Seamus grinned at his son. "I've got you a clearance pass that lets you anywhere- except the actor’s trailers and dressing rooms obviously. I want you to feel comfortable. Help yourself to anything on the catering table if you get hungry all right?"

"Okay," Gabriel said nodding.

"I need to go and run something over with one of the producers, but I'm going to have one of my assistants come over and show you around," Seamus said. "You'll be okay on your own, right?"

"Yeah I'll be all right," Gabriel replied. "I'm a big boy."

Seamus laughed. "I'm really glad you're here, Gabe."

"Thanks," Gabriel grinned broadly. "Oh um... think I could at least meet Laurie Hoffman today?"

"I think that can be arranged," Seamus said with a grin.

"Awesome," Gabriel said excitedly. "Thanks Dad."

"You bet," Seamus said clapping his son on the back before heading off to meet with the producer.

Gabriel walked over to the catering table and started piling some food on his plate.

"You should try the croissants," someone said from behind him. "The chocolate chip ones are to die for."

"Oh," Gabriel said. "Thanks..."

He looked over his shoulder to see petite, young woman with her brown hair pulled back into a messy ponytail. She carried an official looking clipboard and wore a pass around her neck. "You must be Seamus' son. I'm Sasha, one of his beck and call girls."

"Oh... he said one of his assistants would come over to show me around," Gabriel said in relief.

Sasha smiled. "You mind if I have a quick bite too before we have the grand tour?"

"Not at all," Gabriel sat down. "I'm pretty hungry too."

"Great," Sasha said piling her own plate with some pastries and fresh fruit. She joined Gabriel at the table. "Seamus was telling us you were from California."

"Yeah," he nodded. "Pasadena, although I grew up near Sacramento."

Sasha nodded and took a bite of her croissant. "And how are you liking London?"

"It's great," Gabriel nodded. "I've been in Brighton with my step mom for the past week."

"Lavender," Sasha nodded. "She can be a bit much, can't she?"

"Yeah but she's fantastic," Gabriel said honestly.

Sasha looked at him inquisitively over her coffee cup. "That's great that you're able to get along. You know a lot of us know how hard it was for Seamus that she didn't want to have children..."

"They told me they were just busy," Gabriel bit into an apple.

Sasha shrugged. "We all thought it was because she wasn't very maternal."

"She's been a great stepmother to me," Gabriel said in Lavender's defence. "I like her a lot."

Sasha smiled. "I think that's great. I didn't mean anything by it, Gabriel. Honestly, I didn't. And the other day when she was at the set, she was bragging about you."

"She was?" Gabriel smiled. "Really?"

"All about how her stepson was going to be a great doctor someday," Sasha related to the young man. "And how you've managed to fit right in with the whole family."

"Everyone's been fantastic." Gabriel nodded.

"So how long are you here for?" Sasha asked conversationally.

"The summer," Gabriel answered.

"And you're having fun so far?" Sasha asked.

"I really like England," Gabriel said. "My dad told me he's going to take me up to Scotland before I go home too."

"You'll love it up there," Sasha said.

"I'm sure I will," Gabriel looked around as a few other people came to the table.

"So tell me about yourself," Sasha said reaching across the table and touching his arm.

"I'm going to be a doctor," Gabriel replied. "I start studying at USC this fall."

"Wow," Sasha said impressed. "No wonder Seamus and Lav were so proud."

Gabriel smiled. "I live with my grandparents but I'm moving onto campus."

"What made you want to become a doctor?" she asked.

The smile on his face dropped. "My mum was sick," he said quietly. "And even though I want to work with children, I just want to help people get better."

"That's really amazing," Sasha said patting his arm sympathetically. "Seamus never said much about your mother. What was she like?"

"She was amazing," Gabriel said. "She was like a best friend almost."

"And she never married?" Sasha asked. "After she broke things off with your dad?"

"No," Gabriel shook his head. "She told me she wanted to focus all her attention on raising me."

"She sounds like an amazing woman," Sasha said after taking a sip of her coffee.

"She was," Gabriel nodded sadly.

"If it's too hard for you to talk about---" Sasha started to say.

"It's okay," Gabriel replied. "I'm fine..."

"And you never knew who your real father was?" Sasha asked.

"Not until recently," Gabriel suddenly started to feel nervous. Hadn't his father explained all this to his assistants?

Sasha looked at her watch. "How about we get started on that tour? I'm sure you want to catch up with your dad before lunch..."

"That'd be great," Gabriel threw his paper plate into the trash can.

"I know a little bit of what you're going through," Sasha said softly as she threw away her plate. "I was adopted."

"You were?" he asked interestedly.

She nodded. "Found out when I was thirteen. I always suspected something was different, you know? I didn't resemble my mum or my dad. One day, I was in the attic helping my mum with some old things and I found my birth certificate."

"What did you do?" Gabriel asked.

"I was so angry," Sasha said as a tear fell down her cheek. "All my life, they'd lied to me. I holed myself up in my room and refused to speak to them."

"I'm really sorry," Gabriel said. "I was mad at my dad but I knew it wasn't his fault."

"I wonder why your mum didn't tell him," Sasha mused as she wiped at her eyes.

"Guess I'll never find out," he replied.

"That's a shame," Sasha said thoughtfully. "All this time that you missed out on having a dad."

"Better late than never," Gabriel shrugged. "That's what my grandmother told me."

"But you have to be a little angry," Sasha said. "I never had the chance to meet my birth mum. She died in a car crash and no one knows where or who my father was."

"I was," Gabriel corrected. "But I talked it out with my dad and Lavender. Things are a lot better now."

"How about we get started then?" Sasha said grabbing her clipboard from the table. "We have a lot of ground to cover."

She hoped that as they took the tour, the young man would open up to her more.

"Sure," Gabriel stuffed his hands in his pockets after putting the ID tag his father had given him around his neck.

In his trailer, Seamus was going over some last minute details with one of his assistants. "Robin, I thought you were going to show Gabe around."

"I was," she replied. "But Laurie needed me to help her run lines. One of the extras volunteered to show him around."

Seamus stared at her. "Oh, I was really hoping you'd do it..."

"Sorry Seamus," Robin said sheepishly. "I thought you'd want me to help Laurie so we could stay on schedule."

Seamus nodded. "It's okay, Robin. The girl showing him around...she knows that I want him to meet me at my trailer after this morning's filming, right?"

"I made sure to have Hugh tell her," Robin assured him.

"Good," Seamus said feeling better. He wanted today to go well and he wanted to make sure his son felt at home here. "He's really a good kid, Robin."

"I'm sure he is," Robin smiled. "I'm really happy for you Seamus. I know how you wanted kids... I know Lav wanted kids too."

"I'm having my lawyer draw up papers," Seamus said a smile playing on his lips. "Lav and I want to officially adopt him."

"How wonderful!" Robin exclaimed.

"Don't say anything to him," Seamus said. "It's going to be a surprise. We're going to tell him at the end of the summer."

"My lips are sealed," Robin said with a grin.

"I still have to talk about it with his grandparents," Seamus said sitting down. "Make sure they're okay with it."

"I'm sure they'll appreciate that," Robin picked up a pile of scripts.

"Sam's dad never really cared that much for me," Seamus said. "I don't know how he'd feel about it, to tell you the truth. He thought I was too old for his daughter."

"But if you'll let him be part of their life, I don't see how they'll protest." Robin said.

"I hope not," Seamus said thoughtfully. "Margaret likes me, though. And she was the one who convinced Gabe to give me a chance, so hopefully she's going to work on Lewis for me."

"I'm sure you'll be fine," Robin said reassuringly.

Seamus smiled. "Well, I think we'd best get on set. Time to switch to dictator mode."

"I'll go warn the masses," Robin joked.

He chuckled as he followed her out of the trailer. "I hope the rain holds off for awhile."

"I hope so too," Robin replied. "Otherwise we're going to have to switch to the indoor set."

"And you haven't mentioned Bruce today," Seamus said quickening his pace. "Please tell me he's gotten over his mood swing..."

"I'll keep not mentioning him," Robin replied.

Seamus sighed. "That's all I need. You know I was against casting him, but the studio insisted."

"I know," Robin patted his shoulder. "I'll see what I can do."

As Seamus watched her go, he caught sight of his son walking with a younger woman. They looked deep in conversation.

"Who is that?" he asked. "You said she's one of the extras?"

Robin turned around and followed Seamus' gaze. "Yes, she's young and she volunteered..."

"I've just never seen her before," Seamus replied. "And I hand pick all my extras, you know that."

"She's been around since the first day of filming, Seamus," Robin said. "And they seem to be getting along..."

"All right," Seamus said, still watching for another few moments. "Let's go see what we can do about getting Bruce out of his trailer... he's such a pain in my ass."

A few hours later, Sasha led Gabriel to Seamus' trailer.

"Doesn't look as if your dad's back from the set yet," she said after peering inside. "Shall we wait for him then?"

"Sure," Gabriel replied. "I still can't believe how huge this place is."

"The set or your dad's trailer?" Sasha teased.

"Both," Gabriel said with a grin.

Sasha looked at her watch. "I really should get going. It was really great getting to know you, Gabe. I can't tell you how much it meant to me."

"It was nice talking to you as well," Gabriel shook her hand politely. "You don't want to wait around for my dad?"

"I can't," she apologised. "I have something I really need to do. But, I'm sure I'll see you again."

"Great," he nodded. "See you soon."

Sasha grinned at him as she walked out the door.

Gabriel settled back into a comfortable armchair while he waited for his father to return. He briefly thought about ringing his grandparents but one look at his watch told him it was too early back in California to do so.

The door to the trailer swung open and Gabriel nearly jumped out of his seat. He had never seen his father look so angry.

"Something wrong, Dad?" Gabriel asked.

"Damn that Bruce Green," Seamus fumed. "He's knocked me an entire day behind schedule! I don't care how popular that wanker is, I cannot stand working with him!"

"What did he do?" Gabriel asked.

"He's just a bloody... stupid..." Seamus struggled for the right words. "He's going to drive me to alcoholism, that's what he's doing!"

Gabriel found this quite funny, but he didn't dare laugh. "You could always use your magic on him, Dad."

"He's a Muggle," Seamus muttered.

"So you can't," Gabriel said with a frown. "There's so many rules..."

"Yeah but they're for the best," Seamus was reaching for a beer, but decided on a soda instead. "Can you imagine what it would be like if everyone knew about magic?"

"Good for the Bruce Greens of this world," Gabriel said hoping to get his dad to smile.

Seamus finally cracked a grin. "So how'd you like your tour?"

"It was great," Gabriel said. "This place is huge, Dad. And Sasha was really great."

"Sasha..." Seamus narrowed his eyes. "What was her last name? I'm trying to remember her."

"I don't think she ever told me," Gabriel replied.

"I guess it's all right," Seamus said. "Long as you enjoyed yourself, that's all I wanted."

"I did," Gabriel said smiling at his father. "I'm really looking forward to seeing you in action this afternoon."

"As Lav calls it, my tyrant mode," Seamus laughed.

"She warned me," Gabriel said.

There was another knock on the door and then Robin came in. She was carrying a file that she handed to Seamus.

"These are from your lawyer," she said.

"Thanks," Seamus said, putting the file on his desk.

"What's that for?" Gabriel asked curiously.

"Just some legal issues," Seamus replied. "Nothing for you to worry about."

"Oh... for the movie?" Gabriel asked.

"Aye," Seamus said skimming over the file's contents. "Robin----could I have a quick word?"

"Of course," Robin smiled at Gabriel as Seamus pulled her aside.

"I'm going back to California tonight so I can talk with Gabe's grandparents," Seamus said. "I want to make sure that this is all okay with them before I have my lawyer finalise things."

"Right," she nodded. "Don't you think perhaps you should tell him what you're doing?"

"You think I should take him back with me?" Seamus asked. Robin had been with him almost as long as Taryn and he trusted her completely.

Robin nodded. "He seems like quite a sensible young man Seamus, not to mention what you looked like when you first arrived on the scene. There's no doubt he's your son and I think he would like to know what your plans are- especially since they revolve around him."

"Right," Seamus said. "Thanks, Robin."

"Where would you be without me?" she joked.

"In prison for murdering Bruce," Seamus said dryly.

Robin laughed. "I'll give you the alibi."

Seamus grinned. "Can you set up transportation for us?"

"Sure," Robin smiled.

"Thanks," Seamus said before heading back to his son. "Gabe, how would you feel about going back to LA for a couple of hours?"

Gabriel gave his father a strange look. "Go back for a couple of hours?"

Seamus nodded. "I have something I wanted to talk about with your grandparents and you. And with magic, we can get there in a few minutes as opposed to another 10-hour flight."

"Really?" Gabriel asked. "I can use magic?"

"In a way yes," Seamus replied. "We'll be going by portkey. A portkey is an enchanted object like an old book that can be used to transport people to different locations. Robin's setting one up for us."

"Cool," Gabriel said. "And I'll be able to see my grandparents? What are we going back there for? How long are we staying?"

"For just a little while," Seamus answered. "And if you don't mind, I'd love for Lavender to come too."

"Sure," Gabriel nodded.

"Great," Seamus said smiling at him. "I'm really looking forward to this, Gabe."

"It's just LA," Gabriel said confusedly.

"It's much more than that, son," Seamus said. "I don't want to get into it now, but it's something that Lavender and I both want very much."

"Get into what?" Gabriel followed his father out of the trailer.

"We need to get on set," Seamus said evasively. "You'll find out tonight. I promise."

"All right," Gabriel replied slowly.

The rest of the afternoon passed by fairly quickly. True to his word, Seamus managed to introduce the film's leading lady, Laurie Hoffman, to a flustered Gabriel. And Gabriel was impressed with how his father directed his actors, his crew and everything on set.

"I think having you here helped keep him out of tyrant mode," Laurie teased Gabriel as the day ended.

Gabriel blushed deeply. "Yeah he didn't seem to be too bad today."

"I hope you'll be back," Laurie said pecking him on the cheek.

Gabriel turned even more red. "I'll definitely come back," he said, his stomach fluttering madly.

Laurie winked at him before sauntering off to her trailer.

"She's way too old for you," Lavender teased tapping her stepson on the shoulder.

"She's even prettier in person," Gabriel gazed after her.

"I get that too," Lavender said brushing her hair over her shoulder.

Gabriel smiled at his stepmother. "Dad told me we're going back to LA tonight."

"I can't wait," Lavender said grinning back at him. "I'm really looking forward to meeting your grandparents."

"I think they'll like you," Gabriel told her.

"I hope so," Lavender said. Impulsively, she gave her stepson a big hug. "I'm so glad you're part of our family, Gabe!"

Gabriel hugged her back. "Thanks- thanks for making me feel at home. I know it was really hard for you when I first came in."

Lavender sniffed. "Yes, it was, but we found some common ground and you're just the best, Gabriel."

"What's this, a family moment you couldn't include me on?" Seamus teased.

"We were just talking," Lavender said sharing a secret smile with her husband. "And I think your son has a big crush..."

"On Laurie or Alexa?" Seamus asked.

"Dad!" Gabriel turned red again.

"Well, it's true," Seamus said with a grin.

"She was full of questions today about you," Lavender said nudging Gabriel.

"Laurie Hoffman was asking about me?" Gabriel asked. "Really?"

Lavender giggled. "No, not Laurie. A certain red-haired girl...."

"Why was Alexa asking about me?" Gabriel said, secretly pleased at this news. "I thought RJ was around."

"He went fishing or something with his brothers," Lavender replied. "And I took Saffy and Alexa shopping and we might have had some girl talk..."

"Which you most likely don't want to know about," Seamus interjected dryly.

"He might want to know that she thinks he's quite cute," Lavender said in a sing-song voice.

"She's got a boyfriend," Gabriel said. "She's already made that pretty clear."

Lavender shrugged and waved her hand dismissively.

"On that note," Seamus said. "How about we head to my trailer so we can get out of here?"

"Sure," Gabriel agreed. "I can't wait to travel by magic."

"Portkey travel can be a little unsettling at first," Lavender cautioned.

"What's it like?" Gabriel was curious.

"Kind of hard to explain," Lavender said thoughtfully. "But you touch the portkey and you feel as if....well it's almost like...."

"It's a little like being sucked into something," Seamus replied. "Don't be ashamed of feeling sick to your stomach or freaked out- it's how a lot of people feel when they're not accustomed to this."

"Good to know," Gabriel said as they navigated their way toward Seamus' trailer. "I'm really looking forward to seeing my Gran and Grandpa. And I'm sure Gran is going to be happy to know that I dropped the attitude..."

Seamus laughed. "I'm glad too."

Robin was waiting for them at the trailer. She handed Seamus the folder from earlier and he quickly stuffed it in a briefcase. Gabriel wondered why he would need to take that with him, but figured it must be something he wanted to do while he was in L.A.

"Best I could do on short notice," Robin said handing Seamus an old CD case.

"Works for me," Seamus replied. "Gabe, just put a finger on here all right?"

"Okay," Gabriel said doing as he was told.

Lavender patted him on the shoulder. "It's going to be okay and it's much better than some crummy flight, trust me."

Seamus gripped his son's arm while Lavender activated their portkey. "Here we go- and hold on Gabe!"

Gabriel had barely blinked an eye before he felt as if something was jerking him forward. He wanted to scream, but felt as if the wind had been knocked out of him.

What felt like several minutes but was only really several seconds later, Gabriel felt himself being hurled onto the floor back in Seamus's studio in LA. "Whoa..." he said, stumbling a bit.

"You okay son?" Seamus asked after helping Lavender to her feet.

"I think so..." Gabriel replied.

"Told you it wasn't much fun," Lavender said smiling reassuringly at him. "Apparition is much better. Floo isn't that bad either, except for the soot."

"Apparition?" Gabriel asked. "I think I heard Alexa and Saffron talking about taking some test to be able to do that..."

"It means to disappear in one place and reappear in another," Lavender explained. "Remember the day we told you about magic and I did that?"

Gabriel nodded. "That kind of freaked me out."

Lavender smiled at him. "Does it still?"

"No," he said shaking his head. "I think it's kind of cool actually."

"Good," Lavender replied.

"Feels so weird that it's only about nine in the morning here," Seamus tossed his briefcase on his desk.

Gabriel suddenly thought of something. "Dad? Um, do my grandparents know we're coming? And if they do, how will we explain how we just managed to arrive? They don't know about what you are..."

"I rang them yesterday and told them that we were coming back for some business," Seamus said. "Don't worry."

"Oh," Gabriel said. "Okay..."

"I've got it all covered," Seamus said with a grin. "Come on- I know you're anxious to see them."

Gabriel grinned back. "I've missed them."

"They've missed you too," Seamus took his wife's hand.

A car was waiting to take them to Margaret and Lewis' and Gabriel couldn't shake the feeling that something was up. Looking out the window at some familiar sights, he thought about how much he'd missed home.

A smile broke across his face when he saw his grandmother out on the front yard tending to her rose bushes.

"Gran!" he called out, nearly jumping from the car.

Margaret stood up and grinned when she saw the car pull in the drive. "Lewis!" she called out. "Gabe's here!"

Gabriel sprinted across the lawn and pulled his grandmother into a fierce hug. "I really missed you and Grandpa." he said.

"We missed you too," Margaret said cupping his face in her hands.

"There's my boy!" an older gentleman exclaimed as he came out the door.

"Grandpa," Gabe said giving him a big hug. "I've been keeping up with the box scores over the Internet. Dodgers are doing terrible."

"Games haven't been the same without my partner in crime," Lewis said giving him a hug.

"They're doing badly because I'm not here," Gabriel joked.

Lewis chuckled, but abruptly stopped when he caught sight of Seamus. Margaret shot him a warning look before motioning for Seamus and Lavender to come closer.

"Seamus," Margaret smiled. "It's lovely to see you again. And this must be your wife?"

"Lavender Brown-Finnigan," Lavender said warmly. "Gabe's told me so much about you."

"Likewise," Margaret replied. "Are you thirsty? I have lemonade inside and some fresh baked cookies."

"That sounds wonderful," Lavender said walking ahead with Margaret into the house.

"Hello, Lewis," Seamus said extending his hand.

Lewis ignored him and wordlessly headed into the house.

"Sorry," Gabriel said to his father. "I'm not sure why he's being like this--"

"I don't think your grandfather ever really liked me," Seamus replied ruefully.

"He just needs to get to know you," Gabriel said. "Granddad was the only father I had growing up."

"If I can face off with Bruce Green I can handle anyone," Seamus said with a mischievous grin.

Gabriel chuckled and followed his father into the house.

"This place has been so quiet without Gabe," Margaret said smiling at her grandson.

"I've been having a great time in England," Gabriel told her. "Met some really cool people- and Dad even took me on the set of his film today!"

"How big of him," Lewis said under his breath.

"Lewis," Margaret gave him a chiding look.

"Pardon me if I'm not impressed with his playing the father," Lewis said angrily. "He used my daughter and then threw her out like she didn't mean anything to him...."

"That's not true," Seamus interjected. "I cared a great deal for Sam."

"Grandpa---" Gabriel interjected.

"He wasn't here for you growing up," Lewis folded his arms.

"I didn't know," Seamus said quietly. "I'd have been there every step of the way if I'd known about Gabe."

"You wouldn't have cared less," Lewis said glaring at him.

"Lewis---" Margaret said putting her hand on his arm.

"That isn't true at all," Lavender spoke up in her husband's defence. "Seamus is a very generous and loving man."

Lewis shook his head. "It's like listening to Samantha all over again..."

"Seamus," Margaret said forcing a smile and eager to change the subject. "Why don't you tell us what brings you by? You said you had something you'd like to tell us."

"I do," Seamus nodded. "It's the main reason why we came back for the day."

Lewis folded his arms and sat back down beside his wife.

"What is it?" Margaret asked.

"Lav and I would like to formally adopt Gabriel," Seamus said.

Gabriel stared at him in disbelief. "What?"

"You won't have to change your name or anything, not if you don't want to," Seamus told his son. "And if you'd like to continue living here, we both understand that as well. But I'd like to recognise you as mine."

"I-I don't know what to say," Gabriel said still taken aback.

"I don't like it," Lewis said bluntly.

"It's just a bit sudden," Margaret said quietly.

"We're not trying to take your place in Gabe's life," Lavender said gently.

"Not at all," Seamus agreed.

Neither Margaret nor Lewis said anything.

"Perhaps you could show them the papers," Lavender suggested.

"I don't need to see any papers," Lewis said gruffly. "We're against it."

"Lewis," Margaret placed a hand on his arm. "This is technically up to Gabriel."

"Yes it is," Seamus said. "And contrary to what you believe, Lewis, I cared for your daughter and I think this is what Sam would want."

"What Sam would want?" Lewis roared. "How the hell would you know what Sam would want?"

"Seamus cared very much for your daughter," Lavender interjected. "I'm very sorry I never got the chance to meet her."

"She deserved a lot better than what she got," Lewis said before walking out of the room.

Margaret sighed. "I am so sorry," she apologised.

"Maybe it was too soon," Seamus said quietly. "It's only been a few weeks."

"I want this," Gabriel said, looking at his father.

Seamus smiled. "You do?"

"Yeah," he nodded. "I mean, I'd still like to live here with my grandparents... especially since I'll be moving on campus once I start school."

"That's fine," Seamus said sharing a look with Lavender. "Gabe, this is..."

"Fantastic," Lavender finished, smiling at him.

Margaret smiled too. "I'm happy for you Gabe," she said, patting her grandson's hand.

"You're not mad?" he asked.

"You've got the father you always wanted," Margaret said.

Gabriel nodded. "And I think it's what Mom would have wanted."

"I think so too," Margaret's eyes grew teary at the mention of her daughter

"I think that was why she told him about me before she died," Seamus said thoughtfully looking at a picture of Samantha on the coffee table. "She wanted us to find each other."

"She was really beautiful," Lavender said. "And she sounded like a lovely person."

"She was," Margaret said wiping at her eyes.

Lavender moved over and sat next to Margaret. "I hope you'll realise that I love Gabriel like I would my own son. He's become very special to us in the past few weeks."

Margaret smiled at her. "He's told me how nice you've been to him. That means a lot to me, Lavender."

Lavender hugged the older woman. "We were really hoping to have yours and your husband's approval for the adoption process... I hope we can convince Lewis that we truly want to do this."

"I'll go and talk to him," Gabriel said getting to his feet.

"Let me go," Lavender stood up. "I'll call you for reinforcement if I need it." she smiled.

"Lavender," Seamus protested. "I don't know if that's such a good idea..."

"I'll be all right," Lavender assured him.

In the kitchen, Lewis was reading his newspaper. He barely looked up when he heard someone come into the room.

"Can I join you?" Lavender knocked softly on the doorframe.

Lewis shrugged and set his paper aside.

"Seamus and I want you to know that our intentions are completely honourable," Lavender sat down across from him. "We both care about Gabriel very much. I already think of him as a son."

Lewis looked as if he was trying to choose his words very carefully. "Having money doesn't make you a better provider," he finally said.

"It has nothing to do with money," Lavender told him. "Gabriel is a very bright and sensitive young man and we're both proud of him."

"What did your husband tell you about my daughter?" Lewis asked.

"That she was a very beautiful, kind and generous person," Lavender. "The type of person that everyone wants to be and everyone likes because they're so open and loving."

"She was all those things," Lewis said his voice breaking.

"I'm sure she was," Lavender nodded. "And now we all have a chance of getting to know her through Gabriel."

Lewis shook his head. "My grandson has suffered enough. The last thing he needs is to get close to someone who isn't going to be around in the long run. "

"But Seamus is going to be around," Lavender said. "And so will I. That's why we're going through with this adoption- it's more for me than Seamus since Samantha listed him as the father on the birth certificate."

"That'd be like saying Samantha wasn't his mother," Lewis argued. "I won't allow that."

Lavender bit her lower lip. "You know that's not the case here."

"What is the case here?" Lewis asked her.

"We want to give Gabriel anything he wants," Lavender said. "We don't want to take him away from you or Margaret. We never want him to forget Samantha- in fact Seamus even dug up some old films he had of her and gave them to Gabriel and we watched them together."

"What?" Lewis asked.

"We want Samantha to remain a part of Gabriel's life," Lavender said gently.

"You mean that?" Lewis asked fixing his gaze on her.

"Of course I do," Lavender looked straight back at him. "And you and Margaret as well."

"She was 24 when she met your husband," Lewis said after a few moments silence. "She thought the sun shone and set on him."

"I know," Lavender nodded. "Seamus was very fond of her as well. I even think he did love her."

"I thought he was far too old for her, but she never did listen to me," Lewis said with a slight laugh.

"Daughters rarely do," Lavender smiled. "We all think we know best."

"Maggie told me about your own parents," Lewis said sympathetically. "I'm sorry..."

"It was a long time ago," Lavender said softly. "And I had some wonderful family members that helped me through that time."

Lewis nodded. "Family's important."

"That it is," Lavender agreed. "And now that Gabriel's here, we want to be his family along with you and Margaret. If you can't accept it for Seamus, do it for Gabriel and Samantha."

Lewis stood up and for an awful moment, Lavender thought he was going to say something else against them. She shakily got to her own feet and followed him into the sitting room.

"Everything okay?" Seamus asked his wife.

She nodded and sat down next to him, taking his hand and giving it a comforting squeeze.

"Where---where do we have to sign?" Lewis asked.

Seamus looked at him in shock. "What?"

Lewis pulled a pen out of his shirt pocket. "Your wife is very persuasive."

"Lewis just cares a lot about his grandson," Lavender said modestly. "He wants what is best for Gabriel, as we all do."

"I just hope you know that I'm not doing this for you," Lewis said as he took the papers from Seamus. "I'm doing this for Gabe. If this is what he wants, I won't stand in his way."

"Thanks Grandpa," Gabriel gave Lewis a hug. "And I'm still going to be around, I promise."

"Even if you’re missing the entire baseball season," Lewis said hugging his grandson back.

"I'll be back at the end of August," Gabriel said laughing.

"Thank you so much," Lavender said sincerely to Lewis and Margaret. "This means so much to us."

Lewis finished signing his name on the papers and then handed them over to his wife. "Are you going to take your....your father's name, Gabe?"

"I thought I'd sort of take it on as a second last name," Gabriel said thoughtfully. "Gabriel Boyd- Finnigan.”

Margaret wiped at her eyes with a tissue. "Gabriel..."

"Yeah?" he smiled at his grandmother.

"Sam would be so proud of you," Margaret said with a smile. "Of the three most important men in her life."

"I'm glad," Gabriel said. "I'm going to make all of you proud of me in school."

"Of that I have no doubt," Margaret said. "Now, how about I get those cookies?"

"I've missed your cookies," Gabriel said.

"I've kind of missed them too," Seamus said, rubbing his stomach. "Sam used to bring them home. We made ourselves sick sitting on the sofa eating them."

Margaret laughed. "Good thing I made extra then."

"Lav, you going to cheat a little?" Seamus asked his wife. "Trust me, they're worth it."

"I suppose a few couldn't hurt," Lavender replied.

"Great," Margaret said. "Come on into the kitchen..."

Gabriel and Lavender stood up and followed her out of the room. Seamus hung back, eager to have a word with Lewis.

"Thank you," he said to the older man.

Lewis nodded. "Your wife assured me that neither of you is trying to take Samantha's place. I assume you understand how important that is to Maggie and me."

"I do," Seamus said. "Lewis, I did love Samantha. And she's given me this wonderful gift."

"Gabriel means the world to us," Lewis said. "I'm just glad that he's getting everything he wants."

"We're not so different then," Seamus said smiling tentatively at him.

"I suppose not," Lewis finally cracked a smile.

"You know you might like me one of these days," Seamus said.

"I wouldn't go that far," Lewis teased, offering his hand.

"We'll just take it one day at a time," Seamus said shaking his hand. "We are family now."

"For Gabe's sake," Lewis replied.

116. 116

We apologise for not getting to review replies- real life got in the way, but we’re going to try and answer them all tomorrow sometime :)

Please don’t let this deter you from reviewing tonight of course ;) It’s a bit of an emotional chapter, so we’d really like to know what you guys think!

The Brighton house was nearly always abuzz with activity. With so many people cohabiting one beach house, it was hard to find any peace and quiet. Most mornings started with the younger children getting up first and waking their parents, eager to go out on the beach and play. Ron or Harry would inevitably end up cooking for the entire house with Ron eating more than he actually cooked.

This June morning was in stark contrast to the busy, boisterous days of the past.

For one thing, the Weasley family was still fast asleep upstairs. The Potters were all gathered in the kitchen looking very sombre and quiet.

It was hard to imagine that a year ago; they'd heard the terrible news about Robert. Saffron felt guilty for not thinking more about her grandfather over the past couple of months. Her mother told her that her grandfather wouldn't have wanted her to shut herself off from life, but she still felt bad. He had meant so much to her and he was gone.

“Seamus, Lavender and Gabriel went on ahead to Mum's," Hermione said quietly. "Ethan and Maddie will join us at the cemetery."

"I'll go and see if Julie needs any help with the girls," Saffron said easing out of her chair.

"That's good of you Saffy," Harry said. "I imagine Ash is probably beside herself."

Saffron nodded wordlessly and headed out of the kitchen.

"How you holding up, love?" Harry asked his wife.

"All right," she shrugged. "I really can't believe it was a year ago today Harry."

Harry moved over to sit beside her. "I'm proud of you, you know that?"

"Why's that?" she asked, her hands around a mug of coffee.

"The way you've held all of us together," Harry said. "Especially your Mum."

"It's not been easy," she admitted. "I think this past year has been one of the hardest of my life."

"You've been amazing," he said squeezing her hand.

"It's all because I have you," Hermione said.

"You're pretty strong without me," he said kissing the side of her head.

"Not especially," she leaned against him as she finished her coffee. "You're a very strong shoulder Harry."

He smiled and they just sat like that for quite some time.

Upstairs, Saffron had finished helping Julie with the girls and went to grab her jumper from the bedroom she shared with Alexa. She tried to be quiet so she wouldn't wake her best friend, but Alexa sat up groggily.

"Hey---" she said softly.

"Didn't mean to wake you Lex," Saffron said apologetically.

"It's okay," Alexa said pushing her covers back. "How are you?"

"Okay," Saffron shrugged.

"Are you sure you don't want me to come with you?" Alexa asked.

"You spend the day with RJ," she shook her head.

Alexa stood up and walked over to her best friend and gave her a big hug. "When you get back, we'll do something just you and me."

"Thanks Lex," Saffron hugged her back. "You're the best."

"You're my bestest friend," Alexa said smiling at her. "You know that."

"You're mine," Saffron managed a smile as well. "It's only quarter of seven; you should get back to sleep."

"Okay," Alexa said. "I'll see you when you get back."

Saffron nodded and went into the hallway. She jumped when she saw Andrew standing just outside, dressed in a nice shirt and trousers. "What are you doing?" she asked softly.

"Getting ready," he said giving her a half smile. "You think this shirt goes with these trousers?"

"I don't understand," Saffron was confused.

"I thought I'd go with you today," he replied. "If that's okay..."

"You want to go with me?" she repeated. "Oh Andrew..."

"Unless you don't want me to," Andrew said quickly. "I know it's just a family thing..."

"I'd love it if you came," Saffron replied as tears welled in her eyes.

Andrew smiled and took her in his arms. "I love you, Saf."

"I love you," she mumbled into his shoulder. "This really means a lot to me Andrew."

"You don't think your folks would mind?" he asked.

"Probably not," she pulled back and wiped at her eyes. "I was just heading back downstairs."

"Come on," he said taking her hand.

Saffron squeezed his fingers as they went back into the kitchen, where Nick, Julie, Ashley and Katie were waiting.

Harry nodded at Andrew as he walked in with Saffron. Despite what had happened earlier in the holiday, he could definitely tell that this young man cared about his daughter very much and his coming with them today spoke volumes.

"I don't remember what he looks like," Katie said wiping at her eyes.

"Grandma Ellie will have pictures of him at the house," Julie said reassuringly to her daughter. "It's all right Katie."

"He was my great-grandpa though," Katie said guiltily, stealing a glance at Hermione. "I'm sorry, Gran."

"It's okay Katie," Hermione hugged her granddaughter. "You're young, it's understandable. No one's upset that you can't remember him."

"What do you remember most about him, Gran?" Katie asked.

Hermione smiled at her as she and Ashley came closer. "I always remember what he was like when I was younger. When he used to read to me, or when I'd bring home marks from school. He was always very proud of me and Lavender."

"He didn't like Grandpa, did he?" Ashley asked. "Aunt Saffy told me."

Saffron blushed. "I didn't tell them that, Mum!"

Harry laughed. "We didn't exactly start off on the right foot, but we worked it all out. Robert was a fantastic man and he couldn't have been a better father in law."

"You used to sneak Grandma out of the house," Katie said. "That was bad, Grandpa."

"The cabin," Hermione corrected.

"Very, very bad," Katie said folding her arms and shooting her grandfather a disappointed look.

"You look just like your Great-Grandpa when you do that," Harry said.

"I do?" Katie asked.

Harry nodded. "And you're right, sweetheart. I shouldn't have snuck your grandma out of the cabin like that."

"We should get going," Nick said. "Elinore's expecting us at seven right?"

"Right," Hermione nodded. "Everyone ready?"

Ashley gripped her mother's hand. "I don't really like going by portkey," she said.

"I'll hold your hand the entire time," Julie said reassuringly. "I won't let go."

"Okay," Ashley said gratefully.

"What are we using, Dad?" Saffron asked.

Harry held up an old paper towel roll. "Everyone grab on."

"Okay," Hermione said as they all huddled close together.

Several minutes later they all found themselves in Elinore's sitting room. Ethan, Maddie, Seamus, Lavender and Gabriel were already there sitting on the sofas.

"How you guys holding up?" Ethan asked getting up to hug his mother.

"We're doing all right," Hermione replied. "I'm glad you and Maddie were able to make it."

"We wouldn't have missed it," Ethan said.

"Saffy, you look gorgeous as always," Maddie said giving her future sister-in-law a hug.

"Thanks Maddie," Saffron said. "You do too."

"Where's Gran?" Julie asked.

"Upstairs," Ethan told his sister. "Getting ready."

Hermione looked around the house she'd grown up in and couldn't shake the feeling that her father would come walking down those stairs at any moment. She closed her eyes and could just picture him doing just that.

***

There she was on the sofa barely nine years old with a book on her lap bigger than she was. Lavender had been invited to their next door neighbour's birthday party and she hadn't. She tried to act like it didn't bother her, but it had.

"What are you reading, Princess?" her father asked.

"Just a book Daddy," Hermione answered.

Robert sat down beside her. "Lavender promised she'd bring you a piece of birthday cake."

"She'll probably forget," Hermione said quietly.

"If she does, I'll take you to the corner bakery," he said brushing some hair behind her ear. "Just you and me."

"Promise?" Hermione's eyes lit up. "We can have chocolate cake there?"

Robert laughed and nodded. "Biggest piece they have."

She hugged her father tightly. "You're the best Daddy."

"That's because I have the best little girl in the whole world," he said softly. "And don't you let this get you down. If little Rebecca Walden doesn't want to invite you to her birthday party, that's her loss. I can't imagine going to any party where my little Hermione couldn't go."

His words made Hermione feel a lot better. "I bet it's not very fun," she agreed. "All Rebecca likes to do is play dress up."

"I think that explains why she gets along so well with Lavender," Robert said.

Hermione giggled. "I'd rather read my book." she lifted it so her father could see the title.

"You've been in my study again," Robert teased tweaking her nose.

"I like your books in there," Hermione grinned at him. "They're more fun than those magazines that Lavender leaves around here."

"A girl after my own heart," he said smiling at her. "How about we go ahead and go to the bakery? Just you and me? And then we can pop into the museum..."

"Really?" Hermione's eyes lit up again. "That sounds like loads of fun!"

"I'll just go and tell your mum and then we can go," Robert said getting to his feet.

***

"He always knew how to make me feel better," Hermione said softly.

"What?" Harry asked.

Hermione broke out of her reverie and turned to look at her husband. "Just remembering Dad is all."

Harry squeezed her hand reassuringly as Elinore came downstairs.

"How you doing, Gran?" Julie asked.

Elinore reached for her granddaughter. "I've had better days," she admitted.

"You look really pretty Gran," Ashley said trying not to cry.

"Thank you sweetheart," Elinore smiled at her. "Come give me a hug, both you girls."

Ashley and Katie quickly stood up and walked over to her and Elinore enveloped them in a big hug.

Saffron bit her lower lip as her eye caught a photo of herself with Robert, both of them grinning like crazy while she swung a golf club.

"I like that picture of you," Andrew said from her side.

"I was around seven," Saffron said picking it up and touching the glass. "I tagged along with my dad and Grandpa one afternoon...."

***

"Stand back, Saffy," Harry said as he set his ball on the tee.

"Hit it hard, Daddy!" she said clapping her hands enthusiastically.

"That'll be the day," Robert said under his breath.

"Hey," Harry pointed his club at Robert. "I'll have you know I've gotten loads better."

"I didn't say anything," Robert said innocently. Saffron stood beside her grandfather and watched as her father positioned himself. She crossed her fingers as he hit the ball.

"....and there it goes in the sand trap," Robert said dryly.

"Damn it," Harry cursed.

"Bad word," Saffron chastised pointing her finger at him.

"I do love this game," Robert chuckled.

Harry grumbled as he stepped away from the tee.

"Daddy I think Grandpa's better than you," Saffron said innocently.

Robert beamed at her. "And I do love that little girl!"

Harry rolled his eyes as he went back to the cart to get a bottle of water. Robert busied himself writing something on the scorecard. Saffron looked at her father's discarded club and making sure neither her grandfather or dad were watching, she tiptoed over and picked it up.

She grabbed one of the white balls and placed it on the tee just like she'd seen her father and grandfather do.

"You know what your problem is," Robert said turning to lecture his son-in-law. "It's that you think too much..."

"I just want to hit the ball right," Harry argued.

"That's your problem right there," Robert said as if this was the most obvious thing in the world.

Harry shrugged and looked up to see his daughter about to hit the ball. "Saffy---"

Robert held his hand out to stop Harry and they both watched in awe as Saffron swung.

"I hit it!" Saffron squealed happily. "Look Daddy! Look Grandpa!"

Robert's jaw dropped. "She---she hit it on the green..."

"Damn..." Harry said in awe.

Robert kneeled down in front of her. "Sweetheart, how did you do that?"

"I just hit the ball," Saffron explained. "Did I do good?"

"Did you do good?" Robert asked as he picked her up. "Sweetheart, look at how far you hit that ball!"

"Wow," Saffron giggled, obviously pleased with herself.

"You obviously didn't get this from your father," Robert said with a grin.

"Saffy that was fantastic," Harry said.

"You're not mad?" Saffron asked. "That I did better than you?"

"Of course not," Harry chuckled.

"Did Ethan ever hit it that far?" Saffron asked eagerly.

"Ethan's never played," Harry replied, setting up another ball for her.

Saffron's smile grew even larger. "I'm better than Ethan!"

Harry laughed. "I'd wager you are sweetheart."

"Let's see if you can do it again," Robert said setting her back down. "Hit it just like you did before, Saffy."

"Okay Grandpa," Saffron agreed.

Harry and Robert stood back.

"She's going to do it again," Robert whispered.

Saffron concentrated and just like before, she hit the ball and it soared into the air.

Another group of golfers who were driving by in their own cart, stopped and watched as the little girl's ball again hit the green.

"How old is she?" a woman asked.

"Seven," Robert said proudly. "That's my granddaughter!"

"Fantastic," Harry said proudly. "Saffy you're excellent at this!"

Saffron dropped the club and ran toward her father. "I like this game."

"I bet you do," Harry laughed.

"Saffron Grace," Robert beamed. "I'm taking you to the pro shop and getting you your own set of clubs!"

"Robert," Harry said shaking his head. "She's too young---"

"Nonsense," Robert waved him off. "You like playing right Saffy?"

Saffron nodded.

"She's a prodigy," Robert said happily.

"My seven-year old is better at this than me," Harry said shaking his head.

"And better than Ethan," Saffron said gleefully.

***

Ethan nudged his little sister. "You just love that, don't you?"

"Too much," Saffron said with a tiny smile.

"She hasn't played since---" Hermione said but her voice trailed off.

"You should play," Elinore told her youngest granddaughter. "Saffy, you're so good at it."

"I know," Saffron replied. "I just haven't really felt the drive to play since Grandpa's been... gone."

"I'd love to go sometime," Ethan offered. "You can show me up and everything."

"I might hold you to that," Saffron knew her brother was trying to make her feel better.

"Maybe you can teach me as well," Andrew said. "I've wanted to learn how to play for awhile now."

"You can't do it on a broom," Ethan warned. "Which is one of the worst things about it."

Andrew grinned. "I'll survive somehow."

"Gran, is this you?" Katie asked picking up an old photo of a couple in wedding clothes.

"That's me and Robert on our wedding day," Elinore said fondly. "He was so handsome..."

"I love your dress," Katie said softly.

"Thank you dear," Elinore stroked the young girl’s hair back.

"Uncle Robert said he'd never seen anything more beautiful," Lavender said smiling at her aunt.

"That's right," Hermione echoed.

Elinore set the picture back down and looked around the room at her family. "I'm so happy that you're all here today. I couldn't have made it through this last year without you. Family---family was always important to Robert. Because of him, I have all of you..."

Lavender and Hermione moved beside her. "And we're glad that we still have you," Hermione said to her mother.

"My girls," Elinore said smiling at both of them.

"We should head over to the cemetery," Harry said. "That little chapel said that we've got it from eight to half past and then we'll all go out for something to eat."

Saffron took her grandmother's hand. "You ready?"

"I'm ready now that you're all here," Elinore said, comforted by her family’s presence.

Seamus had arranged for two cars to carry them all to the cemetery. Saffron sat beside her grandmother holding her hand the entire time.

"I think it's great that you've been there for her through all this," Andrew told his girlfriend after the small ceremony was over and they were headed for Robert's gravesite.

"I've always been really close to them," Saffron confided. "And I feel bad for not being here more for her."

"From what RJ told me, you were there for them a lot," Andrew said supportively.

"She needs me though and I let her down," Saffron said looking down at the ground. "I was too worried about my marks or the team...."

"You did not let her down," Andrew pulled her aside. "Saffy you're amazing. You're there for so many people when they need you."

She shook her head and felt fresh tears welling up in her eyes. "I'm going to be a better granddaughter starting today."

Andrew stroked her cheek. "Whatever makes you feel better..." he pulled a handkerchief out of his pocket. "Thought you might need this today."

"Thanks," she said gratefully taking it and wiping her eyes. "I wish you could have met him, Andrew. He would have liked you."

"Of course he would have," Andrew teased gently. "I'm such a likeable bloke, remember?"

Saffron realised what he was trying to do. "Yes you are."

"I'm here for you today," Andrew told her seriously. "Whatever you need me to do, all right?"

Saffron hugged him and rested her head on his shoulder. "You're here for me always."

"Guess I just love you too much," Andrew kissed the side of her head. "Not that it's a bad thing..."

Saffron smiled up at him. "Not bad at all."

She looked ahead and saw her family gathering around Robert's grave and she pulled on Andrew's hand. "They're waiting..."

"It'll be all right," Andrew said to her.

"I hope so," Saffron whispered.

Harry saw his daughter and her boyfriend join them as his wife reached for his arm.

"Robert Granger and I didn't see eye to eye on a lot of things," Harry began. "But we were alike in many ways..."

Seamus smiled. "I'm just glad he always liked me," he joked gently.

Lavender nudged him.

"Yes, well he never knew that you used magic on the golf course," Harry said.

"Grandpa was the best," Saffron said loyally, reaching for Ashley's hand as her niece began to cry in earnest. "He always made time for all of us, no matter what."

Ethan nodded. "And he was one of the strongest people I'd ever met. Even when he had that first heart attack, you could see how important it was for him to recover and get back to how he was before."

"That's a wonderful way of putting it," Hermione said gratefully to her son. "Thank you."

"If Robert could---" Elinore started to say, but her words were cut off when she started to cry.

"Mum," Hermione rushed to her mother's side.

Elinore shook her head. "Most days, I don't want to get out of bed, actually. I see all of you getting on with your lives and I see so much of what Robert and I had in so much of all of you..."

"That's understandable Aunt Elinore," Lavender reached for her aunt's hand. "He was your husband, the love of your life."

"It doesn't get any easier," Elinore said looking at Lavender. "I'm trying..."

"Just know that we're always here for you Elinore," Harry said. "All of us."

Elinore nodded and received a warm hug from Lavender.

Gabriel stood beside his father and he could definitely relate to what they were all feeling. Not a day had gone by that he'd not thought of his mother and how much he missed her.

Saffron noticed the faraway look in his eyes. "You all right Gabe?" she asked softly.

Gabriel nodded. "Yeah, I was just thinking about my mum."

Saffron nodded. "It's really nice that you came today. I know my Gran really appreciates it."

"Family, right?" he said smiling at her.

"Right," she reached for his hand and squeezed it. "You're stuck with us now you know."

Gabriel smiled at her. "Thanks for being so great to me, Saf. It really meant a lot to me."

"You're a cool guy Gabe," Saffron said as Andrew moved away to talk to her father. "I'm really glad you came over here."

"Me too," Gabriel said. "And I hope you'll come and see me in LA, too."

"Definitely," Saffron agreed. "I'm glad you and Andrew are here today. It's made things a little bit more bearable." she looked over at her grandfather's plot. "Sometimes I still don't want to believe, he's gone, you know? I think I'm going to pick up the phone and hear his voice, or ring him up for an impromptu game of golf."

Gabriel knew all too well what she was going through. "Lavender said you were really close to them. It's kind of like how I am with my grandparents."

"You're lucky to still have both of them," Saffron wrapped her arms around herself. "I mean, I still consider myself lucky to have my Gran of course... she's fantastic."

"What about your dad's parents?" Gabriel asked. "Are you close to them?"

Saffron shook her head. "They died when he was a year old. None of us ever knew them."

"Oh," Gabriel said. "I'm sorry...."

"It's all right," Saffron said. "I've got my parents here and that makes me happy."

"And your sister and brother," Gabriel said.

"Sometimes my brother," Saffron smiled a bit. "Although when it comes down to it, the difference in our ages makes it easier for us to get along."

Gabriel laughed. "I imagine if you were a little closer in age, you might be like your nieces."

That made Saffron laugh. "Merlin forbid..."

To their credit though, Ashley and Katie had managed to call a small cease fire and neither of them had said a disparaging word all day. Ashley knelt down beside her great-grandfather's grave and touched the headstone.

"Hi, Grandpa," she said softly. "I miss you every single day and I hope that wherever you are...you're happy and not feeling bad."

Katie knelt down beside her sister. "And maybe Grandpa's mummy and daddy can look out for you. What were their names, Grandpa?"

"I forget what they were," Ashley reached for her sister's hand.

"James and Lily Potter," Julie said from behind them.

"Right," Ashley nodded. "Thanks Mummy."

"Wouldn't it be cool if Grandpa Robert was up in heaven right now playing golf with Grandpa James and Grandma Lily?" Katie asked her older sister.

"I bet they have the biggest golf course ever," Ashley agreed. "And Grandpa Robert would probably beat everyone."

Katie smiled. "And he can eat all that food Grandma Ellie never let him eat." Her smile grew larger and she turned excitedly to look at her parents. "Mummy! I remembered him!"

"Yes you did," Nick scooped her up. "I knew you would Katie Bear."

Maddie leaned against Ethan. "I can't imagine what this has been like for your Grandma."

"It's been hard for all of us," he said. "But especially her. I never feel like I do enough for her."

"We've been so busy with the wedding plans," Maddie said guiltily.

"We'll make sure she has a great time at our wedding," Ethan said determinedly.

"I hope she does," Maddie said smiling at him.

Ethan tucked a wayward strand of hair behind her ear. "I'm lucky to have you Mads."

"I hope we'll be as happy as your grandparents were," she said smiling up at him.

"I like to think we already are," Ethan slid an arm around her.

"We are," she said resting her head on his shoulder.

Ethan kissed the side of her head as they watched Hermione sit down with Elinore.

"Mum?" Hermione asked gently. "I know today was really hard for you...."

"I miss your father so much," Elinore clutched a soggy tissue.

Hermione put an arm around her. "Oh, Mum..."

"I don't know what I'd do without you," Elinore said. "Or Lavender... or Harry or any of the kids..."

"You're never going to have to find that out," Hermione said. "Mum, we're not going anywhere."

"Thank you sweetheart," Elinore hugged her daughter tightly. "I love you so much Hermione. You've always been such a special girl."

"I think you and Dad had a hand in that," Hermione said as her own tears fell down her face.

Elinore smiled tearfully at her daughter and niece. "You're both special, wonderful girls who turned into beautiful, talented women."

"And we became best friends," Lavender said grinning at her cousin. "Uncle Robert always said we would someday, didn't he?"

"He really knew what he was talking about," Hermione smiled back

"He loved being right," Elinore said smiling for the first time that day.

"That he did," Hermione said. "Especially when it came to driving my husband mad."

"That's MY job," Lavender said proudly.

"That too," Hermione said as Elinore hugged them both again. "Mum, why don't you come back with us to the beach house- we'll only be there a few more days... and it'll be good for you to get away and be around family."

"You already have enough people there," Elinore said shaking her head.

"Nonsense," Hermione replied. "We'd love to have you there."

Elinore looked thoughtfully at her niece and daughter. "Okay, I'd like that."

"Great," Hermione beamed. "Lav and I will go back and help you pack a few things."

"Gran's coming back with us?" Saffron asked.

"Aye," Hermione nodded. "For the rest of the holiday."

Saffron hugged her grandmother. "I cannot wait to take you out on the boat."

"Oh I don't know about that," Elinore said as they got up. "I think I'm a bit old to be tossing around out there."

"Well maybe you'd like going for one of our walks," Saffron said smiling as she linked arms with her grandmother. "Like we used to do."

"I'd love that," Elinore hugged her granddaughter to her. "You're my girl Saffy."

"Are you ready to go for a bite to eat, Elinore?" Harry asked joining them.

Elinore nodded. "I think so, yes. I only nibbled at breakfast this morning."

Julie stepped forward. "How about you all go on ahead? Give me and Ethan and Saffy a few moments? There's something we need to do."

"Sure," Harry nodded at his children. "We'll meet you back by the chapel."

Julie nodded and she watched with her younger sister and brother as everyone departed leaving them alone.

"We've all been so busy the last couple of months," Julie said to them. "I just thought it'd be nice if we just had a moment, just the three of us..."

Saffron nodded. "Good idea Julie."

"I'm ashamed that I haven't been out here more often," Ethan admitted. "And I didn't go and see him and Gran nearly often enough as I should have...and now he's gone and I feel like I'm making the same mistakes with Gran."

"Maybe we all need to make sure we spend time with her at least a few times a month," Julie said thoughtfully. "And Saffy- you know how much she loves getting letters from you- since you're at school and can't see her unless you're on holiday."

Saffron nodded. "I'll write to her every week from now on."

The three siblings stood close together and looked down at Robert's name etched into the stone. "I really miss him a lot," Saffron whimpered.

Ethan put his arm around his youngest sister. "We all do, Saffy."

"Sometimes it's just hard, like today," Saffron wiped her eyes with Andrew's handkerchief as Julie wrapped her other arm around her shoulders. "But I want to be strong for Gran at the same time."

"That's why I figured it'd be nice for the three of us to have this time," Julie said. "Today, I just had all these memories of being with him, you know? And being in that house..."

Ethan nodded. "It was the same way for me."

"We're really lucky," Saffron said thoughtfully. "Aren't we?"

"To have each other?" Ethan asked. "Definitely."

"I think about what I said to dad at the beginning of the summer," Saffron said looking at the ground. "I'm surprised he didn't knock the stuffing out of me. I said some really terrible things to him."

"He knows you didn't mean it Saffy," Julie reassured her.

"I hope so," Saffron said softly.

"He does," Ethan said his arm still around his sister. "Come on Saf, you know you practically do no wrong in Dad's eyes."

"No, that would be you," Saffron said with a slight laugh.

"What does that make me?" Julie teased. "Chopped liver?"

"We lurve you too Jules," Ethan said grinning at her. "You were the firstborn..."

"And the completely perfect one," Julie tossed her hair, making her brother and sister laugh. "And I did teach you to swim Ethan James."

Saffron giggled. "That's right! You were scared of the water!"

“Only a little,” Ethan said defensively as they began to make their way towards the chapel.

"He used to be," Julie said. "But Nick and I helped him."

Saffron shook her head. "The big bad Auror was scared of water."

"You used to be scared of the dark," Ethan said nudging her. "And don't even get me started about the time you thought some monster lived in the closet."

"Who was the one who built a fort around my crib when I was a baby?" Saffron asked. "To protect me from monsters that used to live under his bed?"

"I was eight years old, Saffron," Ethan said defensively.

Julie grinned at her siblings. "I think we were all scared of the dark and monsters at some point."

"And then we grow up," Ethan said nodding.

"Oh," Saffron said staring sideways at him. "Have you done that yet?"

"Funny Saf," Ethan cuffed his sister.

"I really do love you guys," Saffron said. "Even when I'm being a brat, or Ethan's being stupid or Jules is being superior..."

"I am not superior!" Julie exclaimed.

"You are a little bit sometimes," Ethan teased her.

"Come on, Jules," Saffron said. "I admitted I can sometimes be a brat..."

"We know that's true..." Julie replied.

"She's the baby," Ethan said mussing his little sister's hair. "She's supposed to be the brat."

"Andrew doesn't think I'm a brat," Saffron replied.

"Just like Maddie doesn't think I'm stupid," Ethan said. "And Nick probably doesn't think Julie has a superiority complex. Love is blind, Saffy."

"Obviously," Saffron answered as they joined up with the rest of the family.

Hermione glanced at her three children and felt an overwhelming feeling of pride and love. She had done a lot of things in her life, but being the mother to those three continued to be her biggest accomplishment. They were all healthy, happy and well-adjusted.

Ashley ran over to hug her mother. "What did you guys do over there?" she asked.

"We just talked," Julie said smoothing down Ashley's hair. "How are you holding up, Ash?"

"I'm okay," Ashley answered. "I'm really glad Grandma Ellie's going to come stay with us."

"Me too," Julie said looking over to where her grandmother was deep in conversation with Seamus, Lavender and Gabriel. "I think it's going to be really good for her to be with her family."

Ashley nodded. "Maybe when we get home me and Katie can even draw her some pictures."

"I don't have anything to draw with," Katie said from where she was standing with Nick.

"You can use some of my art supplies," Ashley offered.

"Really?" Katie asked. "Even some paints?"

Ashley looked thoughtfully at her little sister. "If you're really careful, sure."

"Thanks Ashley," Katie said sincerely. "I promise not to make a mess with them."

Julie put an arm around both of them. "I'm glad to see you two getting along."

"I am too," Nick said. "In fact, I think it deserves a reward later on."

Ashley and Katie grinned at each other.

"You girls pick," Julie agreed. "We can go into town for some ice cream, or go to the arcade..."

"Can we do both?" Katie asked.

"That all depends on how you two act for the rest of the day," Nick replied.

"We'll be on the bestest behaviour," Katie promised.

"Right," Ashley said. "We promise."

"Okay," Nick said smiling at his two little girls. "We'll be watching you."

"You're silly," Katie leaned against her father.

Nick tickled her side. "You're silly, Katie Bear."

Saffron watched her brother in law with her nieces and a smile crossed her lips.

"What are you grinning about?" Andrew asked joining her.

"Just happy that I've got a great family," Saffron said. "And that I've got you... Lex... Puddles..."

"You do," he said putting his arm around her. "Always."

"Are you hungry?" Harry asked his youngest daughter. "You just picked at your breakfast today..."

Saffron nodded. "Starving actually."

"Good," Harry said. "I was worried you wouldn't eat at all today."

"I'm feeling much better now," Saffron said smiling at her father. She gave him a big hug. "I love you, Daddy."

"I love you too sweetheart," Harry kissed the top of her head. "Very, very much."

"Even when I'm being bratty?" she asked smiling up at him.

"Oh yes," Harry teased. "You're like your old man."

"You don't look old, Mr. Potter," Andrew said. "In fact, you look quite young for your age..."

"Thank you Andrew," Harry smiled.

"He's sucking up, Harry," Seamus teased. "He doesn't mean it."

"I do," Andrew nodded quickly.

"Andrew's a good kid," Harry said winking at his daughter.

"Thank you sir," Andrew replied as Saffron squeezed his hand.

"Reminds me a bit of how you used to act around Hermione's dad when you were trying to get in with her old man," Seamus grinned.

"No Robert finally accepted me when he saw how bad I was at golf," Harry said.

"I'm rubbish at it, if that helps you any," Andrew said. "I've never played before...ever."

"I'll teach you a few things," Saffron promised as they all left the cemetery. She couldn't help but sneak a look back at her grandfather's headstone.

"I love you, Grandpa," she said softly before hurrying to catch up with her family.

117. 117!!!

Once again, my apologies for this being so late! I (Heaven) was babysitting and I told Amy I’d put up the chapter thinking I’d be home around ten thirty- and I wasn’t… but to make up for it, I made this chapter extra long- and it’s got LOADS of good stuff, especially for you Emma fans :)

Please don’t forget to leave us a review!!!! Thanks guys!!!

Despite Alexa's worrying about how Saffron was holding up, she was enjoying spending the day on the beach with RJ. She felt as if they'd hardly seen each other the entire holiday and she wanted to spend as much time with him as she could before they had to head back in a few days.

"I'm so glad you're here," Alexa said, reaching for his hand as they lay back on their towels.

RJ smiled lazily at her. He had to admit as much as he enjoyed Andrew and Saffron's company, he liked having his girlfriend all to himself. He certainly wasn't going to tell her how glad he was that Gabriel Boyd wasn't around today either. Every time he turned around, it seemed as if he found Gabriel deep in conversation with Alexa. The other boy was a lot smarter than he and sometimes he felt stupid when he tried to join in on their conversations.

"I know I've said it a million times, but I'm really going to miss you this year," Alexa moved closer to him on the towel.

"At least we'll both be busy," he said pulling her close. "To keep our minds off of how much we miss each other."

"Right," Alexa agreed as he leaned in and gave her a rather passionate kiss.

"Lexie," he whispered against her skin.

"We need this," she said softly.

"Mmmhmm," he said planting kisses on her neck. The truth was that he was used to seeing her anytime he wanted and having her be right there. In a few short weeks, she'd be back at school and he'd be off with the team.

"I promised to do something with Saffy when she got back, but if she's busy with Andrew maybe we can go into town for dinner tonight," Alexa suggested, her eyes closed as RJ's lips touched her neck and shoulder.

"Like what?" RJ asked as he undid the strings of her bikini top.

"Just dinner," Alexa could hardly breathe. "RJ... maybe we should go somewhere more private and do this..."

"Where?" he asked. "The house is crowded with people and Josh took the boat..."

"I'm not sure..." Alexa replied. "Maybe in that grove of trees over there?"

RJ eased off of her and watched as she retied the string. "I'm sorry for getting a little..."

"It's okay," Alexa blushed and smiled at him. "I wanted it too."

He leaned over and kissed her once more. "I really do wish you could go to the party with me."

"Me too," Alexa replied as she gathered up her towel. "Promise you'll think of me all night?" she teased.

"Every second," RJ said grinning at her. "I'll be drowning my sorrows in Firewhisky."

"That's comforting," Alexa teased as he took her hand and they headed for the thick trees just up the beach.

"Once you’re 17 you'll be able to do more," he promised. "With the team and me, that is."

"I can't wait," she answered. "Less than a year to go."

RJ dropped his towel on the ground and looked around to make sure they were alone. Sure enough, there was no one around and the only sound was the distant sound of the waves crashing onto the shore.

"You're old enough to do the important things," he said huskily.

"That I am," Alexa answered softly, leaning in to kiss him.

He really did understand about her wanting to wait and logically, he knew it was for the best. But he didn't like to think logically and was completely incapable of it at the moment.

Alexa pulled him back down onto the towel, kissing him all the while. "This is what I've been wanting to do all holiday..." she murmured.

"I've been wanting to do this," he said undoing the strings again and then cupping one of her breasts with his hand.

Alexa sucked in a breath sharply as thrills wracked her entire body.

"Lex, please," he whispered.

"Merlin, RJ..." she whimpered.

As she said that, she arched her back, which nearly sent him over the edge.

She and RJ had done plenty of touching and snogging but this was going beyond anything they had done before. Alexa ran her hands over his bare shoulders; his skin was still warm from the sun and she pressed her lips urgently to his.

His hands fisted in her hair as she pressed her breasts against his bare chest. "Do you have any idea how good you feel?" he asked.

"As good as you feel to me?" she asked breathlessly.

"Maybe we should stop before I can't," he said looking down at her. "I want you so much right now..."

She nodded, although somewhat reluctantly.

RJ sat up and struggled to regain his composure. "Wow..." was all he could say.

"Yeah," Alexa reached for her bikini and tied the strings around her neck a bit self consciously.

He'd never felt this way about anyone before; certainly not with Christina. His father always said it was different with someone that you loved. RJ had no doubt that when Alexa was ready, it really would be amazing.

"I'm sorry," Alexa thought his silence meant he hadn't wanted to stop. "I know we love each other and I know I'm making you wait--"

He looked at her. "Lex, you don't have to apologise. It's okay."

"Really?" she asked.

He nodded. "I don't mind waiting. I want you to be ready and not have any doubts."

"This is why I love you," she said dreamily, giving him a kiss. "You're so sweet."

"Don't tell everyone that," he said with a laugh. "I have a reputation to protect."

"It's our secret," Alexa kissed him again.

"You ready to head back?" he asked.

"I guess so," she agreed. "I love you RJ."

"I love you too," he said grabbing his towel from the ground.

"I wonder if everyone's back yet," Alexa said, grasping his hand as they left the grove. "I really hope Saffy's okay. I think it's so sweet that Andrew went with her."

RJ nodded. "It was..."

"I just worry about her when it comes to this. She was so close to him," Alexa said quietly.

"Yeah, but Saf's tough," RJ said. "And she has a great support system. And I'm trying to be nicer to her, too."

Alexa laughed. "The two of you are like a brother and sister."

"She's certainly as annoying as a baby sister," RJ said.

They arrived back at the house almost at the same time as the Potters, Finnigans and Andrew did.

"How'd it go?" Alexa asked her best friend.

"The service was really nice," Saffron said. "And it was good to be around Gran and share memories about Grandpa. Having Andrew there helped out quite a bit."

"Sean stopped by earlier to check on you too," RJ said.

"Did he?" Saffron asked. "That's really sweet of him."

"He said he'd come round later this evening," Alexa said.

Saffron nodded and spotted something on her friend's neck. "Um, Lex...you have...um...well..."

"What?" Alexa's hands flew up to her neck.

"Let's just say I think RJ left his mark on you," Saffron whispered, trying to be discreet.

"I've got a hickey?" Alexa slapped her palm to her skin.

Saffron grabbed the towel from her friend's hand and draped it over her neck. "That should cover it up in front of the parentals...."

"Thanks Saffy," Alexa was mortified. "What do I do later?"

"Makeup," Saffron replied. "Concealer should hide it."

"Okay," Alexa relaxed. "I hope it goes away soon!"

"That's what you get for letting old Junior suck on your neck," Saffron said smiling at her. "Don't worry. No one's seen but me."

"RJ would probably have the Mickey taken out of him by his brothers if they knew," Alexa whispered.

"Probably," Saffron said. "It's going to be okay, Lex."

Alexa nodded. "I hope so. Thanks, Saffy."

"Welcome," Saffron said. "What did you lot do all day?"

"We had a really nice day," Alexa replied. "We went swimming and played around on the beach."

"Obviously," Saffron teased.

Alexa followed her friend upstairs. "Did you still want to do something just the two of us?" she asked.

"I'd love that," Saffron said. "My mum's going to head back to help my Gran pack. She's going to stay with us the rest of the holiday."

"That's lovely," Alexa nodded. "We could go into town for a little while if you'd like."

"And get ice cream?" Saffron asked.

Alexa grinned. "If you'd like."

Downstairs, RJ was helping himself to something in the kitchen while Andrew and Gabriel sat down at the table.

"I'm still stuffed from lunch," Andrew said.

"Me too," Gabriel said. "That was a really great place."

"Where'd you go?" RJ asked.

"This Italian restaurant near where Dr. Granger lives," Andrew replied. "Gabe's dad and I tried to explain Quidditch to him."

"I think I'm sort of a lost cause," Gabriel said ruefully. "I suppose I need to see it in person."

"You can come see me play," Andrew offered.

'"I'm sure he'd love to watch you ride the bench," RJ joked.

"Sod off," Andrew returned with a grin.

"Not everyone can be the star," RJ said puffing his chest out.

"Watch out Gabe," Andrew said. "His head's swelling up already."

"You haven't played your first game yet have you?" Gabriel asked.

RJ glared at him. "What's that supposed to mean?"

Gabriel looked helplessly at Andrew. "I didn't mean anything---"

"Of course not," Andrew gave his best friend a dirty look. "He's not had a professional match- summer is the off season for Quidditch."

"Oh," Gabriel said nodding. "I'm sure Alexa is looking forward to seeing your first match."

"She won't be able to see it," RJ said angrily. "Which I'm sure you're thrilled about---"

"Why would I be thrilled about that?" Gabriel folded his arms. "That's kind of a stupid thing to say- she's your girlfriend and I'm sure she'd love to see all your matches."

"That's right," RJ said angrily slamming the door of the icebox. "She's my girlfriend and you'd do well to remember that, Boyd."

Andrew shook his head. "Calm down mate."

"I know that," Gabriel said tightly. "And she's become a good friend to me. I didn't realise that was such a threat."

"I've seen how you act around her," RJ said.

Gabriel shook his head. "You're being ridiculous," he lied.

"RJ," Andrew said. "Come on, drop this. You are being ridiculous."

RJ shook his head. "I don't want to deal with this, Andrew..."

"Gabe's a good bloke, RJ," Andrew said. "Ease up."

"Look I'm not about stealing other guy's girlfriends," Gabriel said to RJ. "You don't have to be such an ass to me. I'm just her friend."

RJ grabbed his plate and a soda and stalked out of the kitchen and onto the deck.

"He's usually not such an arse," Andrew said apologetically to Gabriel.

"It's okay Andrew," Gabriel replied.

"No, it's not," Andrew said. "I don't know what his problem is. If Lex knew---"

"How about Saffron?" Gabriel suddenly grinned. "I have a feeling she'd give him a right talking to."

"That's all we need," Andrew said chuckling. "The two of them are at each other's throats most of the time anyway."

"So it'll take the tension off me," Gabriel joked. "Sounds like a plan."

"Probably," Andrew said. "I think she and Alexa were going to do something together this afternoon."

"Is there anywhere good to fish around here?" Gabriel asked. "I was sort of hoping to do that before we left."

"There's quite a few places actually," Andrew said. "We can do that after the girls leave if you want."

"Sure," Gabriel replied. "Thanks a lot Andrew."

"No problem," Andrew said good-naturedly.

Both boys looked up to see Saffron and Alexa come into the room; both dressed casually in shorts and tee shirts.

"Where's RJ?" Alexa asked.

"Outside eating," Andrew replied. "Where are you girls headed?"

"Into town," Alexa replied. "Do some shopping and get an ice cream."

"I hope we'll be back before my Gran gets here," Saffron said.

"If you're going shopping you might be gone all night," Andrew teased his girlfriend.

"We're not that bad," Saffron said leaning in and giving him a kiss.

Andrew kept his lips pressed to hers for a few moments. "Gabe and I are going fishing."

"That sounds like fun," Alexa said smiling at Gabriel. "Go easy on RJ. He's not that great at it."

"He went out with Jon and Josh one time and fell out of the boat," Saffron said giggling. "I wish I'd been there to see it!"

"We'll see if RJ wants to go," Andrew shrugged. "He's in a bit of a mood."

Alexa pulled a confused face. "He was fine earlier."

Andrew shrugged, as did Gabriel. Neither of them really wanted to rehash RJ's words.

"Come on, Lex," Saffron said. "We should get going."

"Right," Alexa replied. "I'm just going to pop out and say bye to RJ."

"Okay," Saffron said. "I'm just going to tell my Dad we're going."

Alexa walked out onto the deck and saw RJ sitting at the picnic table eating a sandwich. "Hi," she said smiling at him.

"Hey," he grunted.

"Can I have a bite?" she asked.

"Sure," he replied. "Where are you going?"

Alexa broke off a piece of his sandwich. "Into town with Saffy."

"Have fun," he said absently.

"What's up?" she asked sitting down beside him.

RJ shook his head. "Nothing, I was just really hungry," he replied.

Alexa cocked her head at him. "Think Saffy did a good job covering up the hickey you gave me?"

"I gave you a hickey?" RJ looked at his girlfriend properly.

Alexa blushed. "Saffy noticed it when we came back from the beach."

"Sorry Lexie," he said sheepishly.

"It's okay," Alexa said giving him a peck on the cheek.

"Is that all I get?" he asked.

"You want more?" she asked teasingly.

"I always want more," RJ grinned at her. "Especially of you."

Alexa kissed him properly this time and they would have continued like that had it not been for Saffron clearing her throat behind them.

"Get a room," she teased.

"Like you weren't snogging your own boyfriend," Alexa joked as she pulled away.

"Not in front of Gabe," Saffron said.

RJ rolled his eyes without either Saffron or Alexa seeing. "You both have fun in town," he said.

"We will," Alexa said squeezing his arm before walking away with Saffron.

RJ watched them go before heading back inside. "Where are you guys going?" he asked Andrew and Gabriel, trying to sound a bit more amicable.

"Fishing," Andrew replied.

"There's a good cove just down the beach," RJ said. "My dad told me about it."

"You want to go with us?" Gabriel asked.

"I'm rubbish at fishing," RJ said. "I think I'm just going to lie out for the rest of the afternoon."

"Mark the date and time, Gabe," Andrew joked. "He's admitting he's bad at something."

"Sod off," RJ thumped his best friend's shoulder.

"We'll catch up with you later then," Andrew said.

"Sure," RJ nodded. "Have a good one."

Gabriel grinned awkwardly at RJ before following Andrew out of the house.

"At least he seems to have calmed down," Gabriel said as they headed for the cove.

"Aye," Andrew said nodding. "Don't let him worry you. He's not used to Alexa having guy friends. She has this one bloke she grew up with, RJ can't stand him."

"I really wouldn't have taken him for the jealous type," Gabriel said. "I mean, he's got a lot going for him."

"He's not usually," Andrew said. "He and Alexa have been through quite a bit."

"Oh yeah?" Gabriel asked interestedly.

"Big time," Andrew said nodding. "His ex-girlfriend wanted to get him back and she did everything she could to do it. She slipped him a love potion that nearly killed him..."

"You guys have love potions?" Gabriel was amazed.

"Most of them are rubbish," Andrew said. "But, yeah, we have them. Christina, RJ's ex, she's pretty smart and she teamed up with Saffron's ex to make a really powerful one..."

"Never a dull moment around here, is there?" Gabriel asked.

"You can say that again," Andrew shook his head. "She got expelled for it. You know that guy Sean? That's actually Christina's cousin."

"He seems like a cool guy," Gabriel commented.

"Yeah," Andrew nodded. "Saf's told me about him before but I never met him before coming here."

"Not too many guys can be friends with their girlfriend's exes," Gabriel said. "I can't imagine I'd want to go out for lunch with Emily's new boyfriend."

"I take it that was your girlfriend back in the States?" Andrew asked.

Gabriel nodded.

"I'm pretty lucky with Saf," Andrew said thoughtfully. "I mean, yeah she can be a brat, but she's really straightforward. It's like I know exactly where I stand with her."

"How'd you two meet?" Gabriel asked. "Through RJ, I reckon?"

"Well we're in the same house at school," Andrew explained. "And I sort of had an eye for her at the beginning of the year, but she was with this other guy. Then around Christmas she found out he was cheating on her."

"This would be Peter?" Gabriel asked.

"Right," Andrew nodded. "I guess everything between me and Saf happened sort of fast, but I'm glad it did. She's the best."

"I think it's fairly obvious she feels the same way," Gabriel said.

Andrew grinned. "Naturally she's mad about me."

Gabriel chuckled. "Now, I see why you and RJ are best friends."

"Except I can fish," Andrew replied. "At least I think I can."

Gabriel laughed and before long, he and Andrew had cast their lines.

"Saffy told me about what your dad's doing," Andrew said. "That's really great---the adoption thing."

"Yeah," Gabriel's grin got bigger. "I mean, it's mainly for Lavender's benefit more than his."

"And you're taking his last name?" Andrew asked.

"Kind of a secondary last name," Gabriel replied. "So my last name will be Boyd- Finnigan."

"I'm sure he's happy about that," Andrew said.

"I think so," Gabriel tossed his line out again. "I can't believe it's only been a few weeks since I met him. Feels like a lot longer."

"And how wicked is it that your dad is this big-time director?" Andrew asked in an impressed tone.

"Pretty damn cool," Gabriel laughed.

"Oi, Gabe!" someone called out from behind them. Andrew and Gabriel turned to see RJ coming toward them.

"Finally decided to join us?" Andrew asked.

RJ shook his head. "Uncle Seamus wanted me to come and get Gabe. Something really bad has happened."

"What?" Gabriel asked, fear ballooning inside him. "What's happened?"

RJ handed Gabriel a newspaper. "This, mate."

"What the hell..." Gabriel stared at the paper in disbelief. "It's all about me..."

Andrew stared over Gabriel's shoulder at the headline. "'Director's Son Tells All'," Andrew read aloud.

"It's by that girl that... she was supposed to be my dad's assistant..." Gabriel stared disbelievingly at the paper. "Why would she do this?"

With anger raging slowly inside him, he read the article.

World-famous director Seamus Finnigan is known for his action-packed films. Little did his fans and admirers know that his own life was better than any movie script.

A jilted lover, an illegitimate son and the hidden pain of a family tossed aside....

"Shit..." Gabriel crumpled the paper in his hand. "I'm sorry- but I should really get back and talk to my dad."

"He didn't look too happy when he asked me to come find you," RJ said quietly.

Gabriel felt just awful. He'd barely known his father a month and already he was making him angry. "Thanks for coming to get me," he said quietly.

He contemplated not going back at all, but where would he go? He didn't know anyone other than the people he'd met at the beach house. On top of all that, he wondered why Sasha had done this. She had seemed like such a nice person and she'd seemed genuinely interested in what he had to say.

Slowly he trudged back up the beach and to the house.

Inside the house, Seamus was shouting into his mobile phone. Lavender recoiled as he let loose with a string of expletives.

"Seamus come on," she said. "There are children around here remember?"

"You just find out who the hell she is and get back to me!" Seamus said angrily clicking off the phone and tossing it on the table.

"You need to calm down," Lavender said gently.

"Fuck that!" Seamus snapped. "Someone sold Gabe out and I fucking want to know WHO!"

"Yes, but he's going to be back here any minute and the last thing he needs to see is you ready to tear someone's head off," Lavender pointed out. "He'll think you're mad at him."

"I'm not mad at him," Seamus paced the room. "I'm pissed at myself- I should have made sure I had Robin taking him around."

"You had no idea that this was going to happen," Lavender soothed.

"Damn it!" Seamus swore as he threw the paper across the room.

Gabriel walked inside the room just in time to see the paper fly across the room. "I'm sorry, Dad. I didn't know that she was going to do that. I didn't know she was a reporter---"

"Gabe," Seamus sighed. "It's not your fault. I should have made sure I had someone trustworthy around."

"She said that she was one of your assistants," Gabriel explained. "And she was asking me all these questions and I just thought she was curious. I didn't even think."

"You weren't to know," Seamus said in a calmer voice. "I should have prepared you more. I'm sorry Gabe."

"You're apologising to me?" Gabriel asked taken aback. "Dad, I really didn't tell her that stuff..."

"I love how they portray me as the woman that took you away from your 'real' family," Lavender scoffed. "You and I didn't get back together until you and Sam had been broken up for a couple of years."

"I never told her that!" Gabriel said quickly.

"I know you wouldn't," Lavender said reassuringly. "Gabriel, Seamus and I are no strangers to this sort of tabloid trash. We're just worried how it will target you."

"How do you know who to trust?" Gabriel asked sinking down onto the sofa.

"It's hard to tell sometimes isn't it?" Lavender slid an arm around him sympathetically.

"I want to find that woman," Seamus was twisting the paper in his hands. "And wring her bloody neck!"

"You don't think the American papers picked this up, do you?" Gabriel asked.

"Probably," Lavender replied gently.

"That's just great," Gabriel said putting his head in his hands.

"It'll blow over right Seamus?" Lavender looked at her husband. "RIGHT Seamus?"

"What?" Seamus asked absently. He finally caught Lavender's gaze and nodded. "Right, something else will come along that will make this yesterday's news."

"I can't believe I fell for her act so easily," Gabriel said gloomily. "I've got a lot to learn."

"We'll help you anyway we can," Lavender said. "And Saffron can give you some pointers too."

Gabriel tried to smile but couldn't. "I'd better call my grandparents," he said quietly.

"Okay," Seamus said. "Um, if you want privacy, there's a phone upstairs in Harry and Hermione's room."

"Thanks Dad," Gabriel left the room.

When his son was out of earshot, Seamus sat down beside his wife. "Lewis is going to love this. I can just hear him telling Margaret that this was a mistake and they should never have let him spend the summer with me."

"How can they blame you?" Lavender asked. "Seamus you couldn't keep him a secret forever."

"I know that," Seamus said. He still wished that there was something he could do; that there was something he could have done to prevent this.

"You know you'll have to give your own story," Lavender said.

"I don't trust anyone in the press," Seamus said. "Not anymore."

"Right," Lavender sighed. "But you're still going to have to send some sort of statement."

Seamus could hear Ron and Luna in the kitchen and an idea suddenly came to him. Even though Luna was more widely known in the Wizarding media, she had freelanced some Muggle work from time to time.

"Luna," he called out.

"Hey Seamus," she poked her head in with a grin.

"Could I have a quick word?" Seamus asked.

"Sure," Luna agreed.

Seamus uncrumpled the newspaper and handed it to her. "Just take a look at this."

"Where on earth did they get all this information?" her brow creased.

"This 'extra' on set chatted up Gabe and misconstrued everything he said," Seamus explained.

"How awful," Luna said sympathetically.

"Seamus needs to tell his side of the story," Lavender said. "And there's no one we trust more. I can still remember that great story you did on Harry."

"That feels so long ago," Luna replied. "And I would be happy to write an article for you."

"It needs to go into the mainstream media," Seamus said. "This is more damaging to me in the Muggle world."

"Of course," Luna nodded. "I have some contacts with the LA Times."

Seamus smiled. "Thanks, Luna. You don't know how much this means to me."

"I'm glad to help you," Luna said. "You're a good friend."

"I'll need to talk about this with Gabe, of course," Seamus said.

"I'll sit down with you both later this evening if you like," Luna promised.

"That'd be fantastic," Seamus said giving her a hug. "You're the best."

Luna laughed. "I happen to agree."

"Even if you are married to Ron," Seamus teased.

"Hey!" Ron stuck his head out the door. "I heard that!" he took a huge bite of the sandwich in his hand.

"You're dropping lettuce all over the carpet, Ron," Lavender said rolling her eyes.

Ron whistled. "Puddles!" he called.

The dog came scurrying into the room and eagerly went for the remnants of Ron's sandwich.

"He used to do that with Paddy!" Luna said dreamily.

"Problem solved," Ron said cheekily to Lavender who shook her head.

"You're about as bad as Harry," Lavender said.

"Who's a good dog?" Ron crooned, tossing a piece of ham down to the puppy who gobbled it down eagerly.

Luna wiped at her eyes. "This makes me miss Paddington. He used to love Ron so much!"

"Luna's got empty nest," Ron said. "Now that RJ's on his own we've got no kids and can enjoy ourselves for the first time in years."

"It's so quiet in the house now though," Luna sniffed.

Ron put an arm around his wife and kissed her cheek. "We'll figure out something to do with all our spare time."

"You can spoil your grandchildren," Lavender said. "You've got five and that little Emma is going to be a heartbreaker one of these days."

"That she is," Ron nodded. "As sweet as her sister Caroline and as good looking as her grandpa."

"She's way cuter than you," Lavender said.

"You ought to see her and Caroline play beauty shop with Ronald," Luna said smiling at her husband.

Ron turned red. "Did you have to bring that up?"

"Speak of the devil," Luna said as Emma toddled into the living room with Drew. She tossed off her sun hat and plopped down on the floor.

"Hot out there!" she exclaimed.

"Is it?" Ron laughed, tearing the rest of his sandwich in half and handing it to her.

"Sammich!" Emma said happily, eagerly taking it.

"That your favourite food Em?" Drew asked her niece with a smile.

Emma shook her head.

"Em likes pizza best, don't you Em?" Luna asked her granddaughter.

"Pizza!" Emma nodded vigorously. "Em want pizza!"

"Maybe tonight baby," Luna promised.

Gabriel came back downstairs and Emma dropped the rest of her sandwich and stood up. "Gabey!"

Puddles saw his chance and snapped up the rest of the sandwich while Emma eagerly ran over to Gabriel.

"Hey little one," Gabriel said scooping her up. "You've been out on the beach?"

Emma nodded as she hugged him around the neck. "Gabey sad?" she asked.

Gabriel shook his head. "Not with a hug like that."

"Em love Gabe," the little redhead grinned at him.

Gabriel smiled back at her. "You know what would make me feel even better?"

"What?" Emma shook her head.

"I remember someone promising to let me colour a picture with her," Gabriel said tweaking her nose.

"Oooh," Emma nodded. "Kay!"

Gabriel laughed and set her back down. "How about you go and get your crayons?"

Emma nodded excitedly. "Em be right back!"

"I won't go anywhere," he promised.

"Gabriel you are so good with her," Drew said as Emma went to get her crayons and some paper.

"Has she asked you to play beauty shop yet?" Ron asked.

Gabriel shook his head. "She said she only plays that with you, Mr. Weasley."

Lavender snorted back her laughter.

"I've taught my boy well, haven't I?" Seamus asked.

Ron grinned as Emma tore back into the room. "I've only seen her run that fast for chocolate."

Gabriel laughed. "Okay, Em...what are we going to colour first?"

"Horse," Emma pointed to the picture.

Gabriel sat down with Emma on the floor and she pulled out some crayons.

"What colour are we going to paint him?" Gabriel asked.

Emma carefully looked over her selection of crayons and finally plucked one out of the pile. "This one!" she beamed.

"Purple," Gabriel said nodding. "Excellent choice, Miss Weasley."

"Hey Gabe," Seamus said. "Later tonight Luna's going to sit down and write a story for the LA Times on us all right?"

"W-what?" Gabriel asked turning around to look at his father.

"Luna's a journalist," Lavender replied. "And she's going to print a counter article that will run in tomorrow's newspaper to even out what that Sasha wrote."

"And we can trust her," Seamus said.

"Okay," Gabriel said, feeling only slightly uncertain. It wasn't that he didn't believe Luna wouldn't do a good job, but his grandfather hadn't exactly been pleased about the article.

"Great," Seamus said. "I'm going to go and make a few phone calls."

"Don't you ream Taryn out," Lavender said. "Or Robin, for that matter."

"I won't," Seamus promised.

"Where did Harry and Hermione go?" Luna asked. "And Nick, Julie and the girls?"

"Harry and Hermione have gone to pick up Aunt Elinore," Lavender replied. "And Julie and Nick took the girls out on the boat with Caroline."

"They probably needed a break," Ron said. "I'm sure today wasn't easy for any of you."

"No, but it was good for all of us to get together and remember Uncle Robert," Lavender said. "And it'll be really great for Aunt Elinore to be here with all of us."

"That it will," Luna nodded. "Elinore's a very classy lady. I've always enjoyed her company."

"I'm so glad that we came here this summer too," Lavender said. "It's been so nice and Gabe's had people his own age around..."

"And Em's got her first crush," Drew joked as Brian came into the sitting room.

"There you are," Brian said. "Darla, Hans and I have been looking for you everywhere."

"Why?" Drew asked. "What's up?"

"Volleyball," he said grinning at her. "Couple versus couple. I think we can beat them hands down."

"Like we did with bowling?" Drew asked, laughing. "Sounds good to me!"

"Darla is doing something athletic?" Ron asked in amazement. "Darla Weasley?"

"Oh sod it Dad," Darla said. "Drew's the unathletic one."

"I think I might need to see this to believe it," Ron said standing up. "You coming, Loony?"

"Dad you can play the winners," Drew said with a wicked grin as Brian laughed.

"There's a challenge," Ron said rubbing his hands together. "I can take all of you."

"This I want to see as well," Seamus felt better than he had all day.

Lavender got up too and she looked down at Gabriel and Emma who were still colouring. "You don't mind looking after Emma, Gabe?"

"Not at all," Gabriel shook his head. "After we're done with our picture maybe we'll come out and watch too. Right Em?"

Emma nodded, not looking up from her picture.

Lavender smiled at them. "She'll probably need more suntan lotion- it's in the closet in the hall."

"We've got it covered, don't we, Em?" Gabriel asked her.

"Right," Emma selected a red crayon.

"Everything's fine," Lavender said as she and Seamus followed the others outside.

"It just pisses me off still that someone took advantage of my son," Seamus replied, although he wasn't as steamed.

"He'll learn from this," Lavender reassured him. "And Luna's article will put your side out."

"I hope so," he sighed.

"Trust me," Lavender said linking her arm in his. "I'm never wrong."

Seamus shook his head with a grin. "You never fail to make me smile do you Lav?"

Lavender beamed at him. "It's a gift really."

"You're a gift," Seamus kissed her. "You're the best."

Lavender smiled up at him. "I love you, Seamus."

"Love you too," he pecked her on the lips again.

*** *** ***

Although Jon had thoroughly enjoyed the Brighton holiday, he was glad to get back to work. He'd missed the pub and had a number of ideas he wanted to run past Victoria. The first night back had been busy and more than once Victoria had said how glad she was to have her best bartender back in business.

As the night dwindled to a close, Jon was wiping down the bar and listening to one of the patrons drone on about his crummy job.

"I'd like to see what they'd do if I didn't show up tomorrow," the man grumbled motioning for Jon to pour him another shot.

"I think you've had enough mate," Jon said shaking his head.

"Gimme another," the man slurred, nearly falling off his stool.

"How about a cup of coffee instead?" Jon asked. "Come on, Ty. Melody would have my head if I sent you home pissed like this."

"Home..." Ty snorted.

"Coffee," Jon said firmly. "Coming right up."

"If you say so..." Ty slumped forward and rested his head on the bar.

"If you don't like your job, you could always quit," Jon said pouring him a cup of coffee.

"And do what?" Ty asked. "I don't know anything else!"

"But you come in here night after night complaining about pushing paper all day, mate," Jon said. "You want to live your life that way?"

"No," Ty grumbled. "S'pose not..."

"Tomorrow when you're sobered up, read the classifieds," Jon counselled.

"Tyler Kensington," Victoria said rolling her eyes as she came out of the back. "You look like shite."

"You're sweet as always," Ty grinned back at her.

"It wasn't meant as a compliment," she said shaking her head. "We'll be closing up soon."

"Guess that means I'm being kicked out then..." Ty tried to get off the stool.

"How about a coffee to go?" Jon offered. "And I'll call you a taxi."

Ty looked as if he was going to cry and Victoria put an arm around her old friend. "Steady there, Ty."

"He's---he's good people, Vic," Ty said choking on his words.

"That I know," Victoria sent Jon a warm smile. "How about I help you outside eh?"

"Hope your husband knows what a mucky lan he is," Tyler slurred. "Vic...Vic...Vic..."

"Come on Ty," Victoria shook her head. "I'll be back in a few minutes Jon."

Jon chuckled as he returned to his cleaning. He reminded a few of the patrons that they'd be closing soon and he laughed as they grumbled.

He was cleaning up behind the bar when Victoria finally came back in. "Get him all settled in?" he asked with a grin.

"Just barely," Victoria said. "And he wonders why I never went out with him when we were in school together."

"You went to school with him?" Jon laughed.

"Unfortunately," Victoria said. "He was the type who was always making an arse of himself in front of all the girls. Nice to see some things haven't changed."

Jon laughed harder. "Man did I ever miss this place while I was gone."

"I can't tell you how many people asked about you while you were away," Victoria said.

"It was nice to spend all that time with Al and the girls," Jon said. "Did I tell you that Emma and Caroline have been trying to think of a name for the baby?"

Victoria laughed. "Have they come up with anything yet?"

Jon grinned. "Nothing that they both like. We gave them this old book of names when we got home and they've been poring over it... or rather, Caroline picks out the names she can read and goes by Em's facial expressions."

"I bet that's the cutest thing," Victoria said smiling at him.

"I think Em's finally getting over her jealousy of not being the baby anymore," Jon said thoughtfully. "Caroline's been filling her head with tales of how great it is to be a big sister."

"And how is Allie doing?" Victoria asked.

"Great," Jon replied. "She's starting to show more, so she's all concerned about her figure now."

"And you are being a good husband and reassuring her that she looks fabulous, right?" Victoria asked folding her arms.

"Every day," Jon replied. "She's the most gorgeous woman in the world."

Victoria smiled at him. "Good answer."

"We're taking every precaution this time," Jon said. He'd told Victoria about what had happened to Allison when Emma was born.

"I'm sure everything will be fine," Victoria reassured him.

"I really appreciate the extra hours too," Jon told her. "The extra money will really help us out."

"Speaking of that," Victoria said sitting down. "There's something I've been meaning to talk to you about."

"What's that?" Jon asked, stacking the clean glasses in the cabinet.

"Well," Victoria began. "I can't tell you what a Godsend you've been for me. You're the best bartender we've ever had here and the people love you."

Jon grinned at her. "I do my best."

"And I just don't think that this is working out," Victoria said frowning at him.

Jon stopped stocking glasses. "But you just said--"

"I've thought long and hard about this, Jon," Victoria said using her finger to trace a pattern on the bar. "And you can't change my mind."

"But Vic..." Jon turned towards her. "I really need this job you know that."

"I do," Victoria said unable to keep up the charade. "Which is why I'd like to make you a full partner."

"But Vic--" Jon began and stopped short. "What?"

"Full partnership," Victoria repeated.

"You want to make me a partner?" Jon asked, completely dumbfounded. "Really?"

Victoria nodded. "I want to spend a little more time at home and there's no one else I trust more."

"Are you serious?" Jon asked. "Vic... this is... you're just..."

"Is that a yes?" she asked grinning at him.

"Yes!" Jon exclaimed.

"We'll need to meet with my attorney sometime next week," Victoria said. "To sign some papers, of course."

"Right," Jon said excitedly. "Thank you Vic. This is fantastic! Allie's going to be over the moon."

Victoria laughed as Jon came around the bar and enveloped her in a big hug.

"You are the best," Jon told her. "Really Vic. No other boss has ever been this fantastic."

"I'm not your boss anymore," she corrected. "Partners."

"Right," Jon stuck his hand out. "Partners."

"I know you can't wait to get home and tell Allie," Victoria said. "I'm going to get rid of these last few people and we'll close up."

"Thanks Vic," Jon couldn't stop grinning. He couldn't wait to see Allison's face when he told her about this.

Back at their house, Allison was trying to get Caroline and Emma to sleep. Caroline was nearly there, but Emma was fighting it tooth and nail.

"Sweetheart, it's nearly one in the morning," Allison said. "Aren't you sleepy?"

"No," Emma shook her head. "Want to wait for Daddy."

"You'll see him in the morning," Allison said softly.

"No," Emma said stubbornly. "Em wants to see Daddy now!"

"He's at work, Em," Caroline said turning on her side with her eyes still closed.

"I know you're excited to tell him you picked out a name," Allison said, trying to tuck her youngest under the covers. "But I think telling him at breakfast would be a lovely surprise."

"Tell me what?" Jon asked from the doorway.

"Daddy!" Emma scrambled out of bed and ran for her father.

"Emma Madeline!" Jon said scooping her up. "Did you wait up for me?"

"Yes!" Emma giggled as Jon kissed her cheeks.

"The girls have a surprise for you," Allison said with a grin as Caroline sat up.

"We picked out a name for the baby Daddy," Caroline rubbed her eyes. "A really good one."

"Well this I have to hear," Jon said grinning at her. "What is it, Angel Girl?"

"Well," Caroline began. "His first name will be Adam."

"Other name is Daddy!" Emma said excitedly.

Jon pulled a confused face. "Adam Daddy?"

Allison laughed. "The girls have picked out the name Adam Jonathan Weasley for their brother."

"Adam Jonathan Weasley," Jon repeated.

"Like?" Emma asked clapping her father's cheeks.

Jon laughed. "I love it."

Caroline smiled sleepily at her father. "We thought you'd like it, Daddy."

"I think it's perfect, and very special that my girls came up with it," Jon replied.

"Its late girls," Allison said. "And you both should already be in bed...."

"I have some news before you two drift off," Jon set Emma on the bed. "Guess what happened to me at work tonight?"

"Did someone get in a fight?" Caroline asked suddenly very awake. "Did you have to break it up?"

"No," Jon laughed. "Daddy got what's called a promotion," he grinned at Allison.

"Isn't that what Aunt Maddie gets?" Caroline asked innocently.

"You're thinking of premonitions," Allison said. "A promotion is what someone gets at work when their boss wants to give them bigger responsibilities with better pay."

"So Daddy gets more money?" Caroline asked.

"That's right," Jon said. "Vic's going to make me a partner."

"A partner?" Allison gasped. "Jon!"

Jon grinned at his wife. "You happy?"

Allison nodded and gave him a kiss. "And proud! This is fantastic news!"

"Yay Daddy!" Emma exclaimed clapping her hands.

Jon laughed before kissing the tip of her nose. "All right, now that all the exciting news is out, it's time for two of my three favourite girls in the world to go to sleep."

"Come on, Em," Caroline said lying back down. "Nighty night."

"Kay," Emma finally agreed. "Night Daddy, night Mummy."

"Night, sweetheart," Allison whispered giving both of her daughters a peck on the cheek. "Sweet dreams."

"Love you girls," Jon said, leaving the door open halfway.

Allison grinned at her husband as they walked toward the kitchen. "This is amazing, Jon! Tell me all about it!"

Jon put his arms around his wife and hugged her tightly. "Al this is going to mean so much for us. We're finally going to have more money- which we're going to need for when the baby arrives."

"It couldn't have come at a better time Jon," Allison said resting her head on his shoulder.

"I couldn't wait to get home and tell you," Jon said.

"Do you have to put up any money of your own?" Allison asked.

"I'm not sure yet," Jon said. "Vic's got her lawyers coming in next week to sign the papers."

Allison nodded. "Tell me everything while I warm up a plate of stew for you. In fact, I think I might have some too."

"Great," Jon kissed her hungrily for a moment. "I want to make you proud of me Al."

"You have," she said touching his cheek. "You were made for this, Jon. And you have so many great ideas!"

"I can't believe this," Jon said following her into the kitchen. "I mean... I thought she might just give me a raise, but to make me a partner!"

"Oh!" Allison exclaimed, stopping suddenly.

"What?" Jon asked. "Are you all right?"

Allison nodded and put a hand on her abdomen. "Adam Jonathan just kicked me."

"Let me feel," Jon eagerly leaned forward.

Allison smiled as Jon put his hand on her stomach. "Do you feel it?"

"Yeah," Jon grinned. "That's our boy in there Allie."

"He wanted to congratulate his Daddy," Allison said.

"Guess so," Jon leaned in and kissed her. "Life's really good right now you know?"

"It is," Allison agreed. "I think this calls for a celebration. A butterbeer for you and a glass of pumpkin juice for me."

"All right," Jon replied. "I'll get the stew."

Allison smiled as she watched her husband spoon two servings of stew into bowls. She was so proud of him she felt she could burst.

It reminded her of another time when she'd seen him this happy.

***

Fred and George had agreed to let their nephew use the flat above their Hogsmeade shop. Allison hadn't been able to leave Hogwarts due to exams and this weekend would be their first official weekend together as a married couple. He had spent the past couple of weeks getting their new flat ready for her arrival.

They were meeting at Honeydukes and would spend the afternoon together in the flat before she had to head back to the school.

"Al!" Jon waved, spotting her in the crowd. "Al over here!"

She grinned and ran toward him. Before she could get a word in edgewise, he'd kissed her.

"How is the most gorgeous wife in the world?" Jon couldn't stop his grin from spreading across his face when they pulled apart.

"She missed you so much," Allison said giggling as he picked her up and spun her around. "Jon!"

"I can't help it," Jon replied. "I'm just so glad to see you Al. I hate it when we're apart."

"Me too," she said softly. "So, when do I get to see the new place?"

"We can go right now if you like, Mrs. Weasley," Jon wove their fingers together.

"I like," she said smiling at him. As they made their way to the shop, Allison told him what had been going on at Hogwarts. "We have a match right before Christmas and I hope you can come. I can get you a good seat and I'm sure Drew and Darla would love to see their big brother."

"I'll definitely try," Jon promised. "Anything for a chance to see you."

Allison squeezed his hand as he led the way into his uncles' shop. Fred and George were showing some eager third years their latest invention.

"Look, Fred," George said nudging his brother. "It's the newlyweds. Ickle Jonnikins and Ickle Allie."

"Very funny Uncle George," Jon said but he was grinning. "How do you guys like the flat?"

"He did a great job on it," George said to Allison. "And we promise we didn't do anything to it."

Fred grinned. "This time anyway."

"How lovely of you blokes," Allison laughed.

"Before you go back to school, take some of our fliers," Fred said. "We're having a big sale next weekend."

"And pass them out?" Allison asked with a grin. "Free advertising?"

"You're a member of the Weasley family now, Allie," Fred said putting his arm around her. "You have to chip in and help. And it will be helping your husband too. The more he makes..."

"Right," Allison replied. "I'll put some in my bag and pass them around at supper tonight."

Fred beamed at her. "Hang on to this one, Jonathan."

"I plan on it," Jon said, kissing the side of her head. "Come on Al."

Allison waved goodbye to both Fred and George before following her husband into the back room and then up the spiral staircase that led to their flat.

"Okay," he warned her. "It's not as nice as your house or your bedroom back home, but it's--"

"I'm sure it's amazing Jon," Allison reassured him. "I'll love it because it's somewhere that we can be together."

He was still nervous about showing her the room, despite of what she said. The flat was small and he'd spent the past couple of weeks doing everything he could to make it presentable. "Okay," he said opening the door.

"Jon!" Allison exclaimed when she went inside. "Oh this is absolutely perfect!"

"Let me show you around," he said grinning at her. "This is of course, the sitting room and kitchen area. This screen here kind of separates the room. Julie helped me with that."

"It's lovely," Allison said. "And it's really ours?"

Jon nodded. "And over there, I set up a desk for you by the window so you could study or write. And your dad brought those books over. He even helped me set up the shelves."

Allison looked around the room with a big grin then turned to her husband. "I love you so, so much Jonathan Arthur Weasley." she wound her arms around his neck. "Only you would do this and make me the happiest girl in the world."

Jon hugged her tightly. "I wish it was more. You deserve so much better than this place."

"Nonsense," Allison said, her voice muffled as she pressed her face into his shoulder. "I'm so happy with you that I don't care if this was a cave."

"A cave would probably have more room," he joked.

Allison laughed. "Well... why don't you show me the bedroom?"

"My favourite room," he said giving her a quick kiss. "Right this way..."

Allison followed him into the small bedroom. "Perfect for us," she said, closing the door behind her.

"You like?" he asked.

"Very, very much," Allison said softly.

"How much time do we have?" he asked brushing a strand of hair behind her ear.

"I have a few hours," Allison replied, her eyes going dark with desire.

Jon unbuttoned her cloak. "A few hours..."

"Not enough time, but it'll have to make do," Allison kissed him.

"I'm not going to want to let you leave," he whispered.

"I don't want to leave," she replied. "I can't wait until I'm done with school so I can be with you every single day."

"Every single day," he repeated. "And we'll keep saving up for a little house of our own."

"Big enough for a family?" she asked.

"Exactly," Jon said.

***

"You know a lot of people at school thought we got married because I was pregnant," she told him.

"Did they really?" Jon laughed.

"Yes," Allison laughed. "They think you knocked me up."

"That wasn't until after you graduated," Jon said with a grin.

"A few years after that," Allison grinned.

"We had our little Caroline," Jon said. "Then Em... now we've got Adam on the way."

"You always said you wanted three," she said smiling back at him.

"Now we've got what we always wanted," Jon kissed his wife. "At least, I got who I always wanted."

118. 118

Authors' note: Thanks you guys for reading! The Gabriel-Alexa-RJ triangle is getting a lot of feedback and we know you guys are looking for some H/Hr. They will have a major storyline down the road that will bring them back to the forefront. And you can expect to see some more flashbacks of our favourite couple too. Just be patient with us. There's a lot of characters to keep up with!

Hermione was enjoying a rather unusual quiet afternoon in her office. Her workload was light that day and she didn't have any conferences scheduled. Samuel was working in the outer office and they were carrying on an easy conversation through their open doors.

She was just contemplating leaving the office early that day when Luna appeared, looking a bit distraught.

"Luna," Hermione said, concern etched across her face. Her friend was usually wearing a smile all the time. "What's wrong? Has something happened?"

"Can I talk to you a moment in private?" Luna asked, pushing her hair back.

"Of course," Hermione replied. She used her wand to close the doors. "What's on your mind?"

"I've been working on an article about the orphanages here in the Wizarding world," Luna began. "Hermione... I wouldn't be bothering you except I cannot believe how squalid they are. They're overcrowded and not getting enough money to support the children."

"I've been trying to pass through some reforms on that," Hermione said.

"Some of those children are living four or five to a room not much bigger than one of those examination rooms in the Auror headquarters," Luna replied. "Hermione, it breaks my heart to see them having to live like this. They don't deserve a life like that."

Hermione felt guilty for not pushing harder for the reforms. Truth be told, she hadn't had a chance to visit any of those orphanages in years. "No they don't," Hermione agreed.

"Well..." Luna laid a stack of parchment on Hermione's desk. "I've been talking to Ron... he wasn't really sure about this idea but I was pretty adamant about it. If you can sign these forms authorizing us, Ron and I can foster some of the children in our house."

"How many children?" Hermione asked.

"We figured since all the kids are out of the house now, we can keep anywhere between six and ten at a time, without overcrowding them." Luna said, showing her one of the parchments. "What I was thinking is that we could house some of the younger ones and if we can get funding, we can afford to send them to school."

"I think that's great," Hermione said. "But how does Ron feel about all this?"

"He wasn't thrilled, but he doesn't want these poor children to live this way either," Luna said. "We both had such wonderful childhoods it seems a shame to deprive them of that."

"I commend you for wanting to do this," Hermione said. "And I'll do anything you want to help."

"Thank you Hermione," Luna nearly flew across the desk to hug her friend. "You've no idea what this means to us."

Hermione smiled as she hugged her back. "I'd also like to visit some of these orphanages myself to see what the conditions are like firsthand."

"They'd love that," Luna replied. "A visit from the Minister could really bring up awareness."

"I'd like for Harry to come too," Hermione said.

"Of course," Luna nodded. "I've looked over all these forms, and we'd have the house all set up by beginning to mid September for the children to come and stay with us."

Hermione wondered if perhaps she and Harry should do something like this to help out. They had a bigger house than Ron and Luna and more than enough rooms to spare.

"The orphanage wants me to stop by again in a few days," Luna was saying. "They're excited about this too."

"I'll accompany you," Hermione said smiling at her.

Luna hugged her again. "This is why you make such a good Minister, Hermione." she said. "You actually care about what happens to people."

"I should have done something about this earlier," Hermione said guiltily.

"What matters is that you know," Luna said. "And that you're doing something now."

"Something like this can't be ignored," Hermione said looking over Luna's notes.

"That's why I came directly to you," Luna said.

"I'm so glad you did," Hermione said. "You have such a big heart, Luna."

"I can't help but feel for all these children. Some of them feel so unloved, and it just broke my heart," Luna said.

"A child should never have to feel that way," Hermione said quietly.

"I couldn't agree more," Luna nodded. "Ron and I want to provide as stable a home life for some of them as we can."

"And Ron's okay with this?" Hermione asked. "I know how he was looking forward to you guys having the house to yourself."

"Like I said, he wasn't thrilled about raising kids again at first," Luna said with a small smile. "But once I explained to him what the living conditions are like at the orphanage he was as eager as I am to help out."

"Well, he did grow up in a large family," Hermione said. "And you both raised six children of your own."

"We're sort of used to it," Luna said wryly.

"I'll make sure Samuel clears my schedule on the day you want to visit the orphanage," Hermione said.

"I'll get back to you tonight on when I plan on going next," Luna promised. "Hermione, thank you again."

"It's no problem," Hermione said standing up to walk her friend out. "So how is everything?"

"RJ's new place looks wonderful," Luna said. "He's thrilled that Andrew's decided to room with him."

"Saffron has been raving about it," Hermione said.

"I heard she's been over there quite often," Luna said. "How does Harry like that?"

"Well," Hermione said with a sigh. "He's not too crazy about it, but I keep telling him that we can trust her."

"She's a good girl," Luna nodded.

"She is," Hermione said fondly. "She's made us so proud."

"And we're going to be in laws in a month." Luna added.

"I still can't believe my little boy is getting married," Hermione said. "It seems like just yesterday that he and Maddie were sitting at that table at Hillsdale sharing a colouring book."

"And she was running around telling everyone that they were going to get married, and Ethan was hightailing it the other way?" Luna smiled.

"My how things have changed," Hermione said with a laugh.

"I'm so glad they're together," Luna replied. "They're a wonderful match."

"Just like you and Ronald," Hermione said in Luna-like fashion.

“And you and Harry,” Luna nudged her. “You two have a fairy tale and everything about how you got together.”

"We've all been through a lot," Hermione said. "But it's made us stronger; made us appreciate what we have."

"Right," Luna nodded. "Thanks again Hermione. I'll pop over tonight and let you know when I'm going back to the orphanage."

"Okay," Hermione said giving her friend a hug.

As Luna left Hermione's office, she thought about popping downstairs to Auror headquarters to say a quick hello to Harry, Ethan and Neville. Little did she know her own husband was upstairs venting to Harry over his wife's new plan.

"Ten children," Ron said pacing in front of Harry's desk. "Ten children. And I'm nowhere near as young as I used to be...."

"Ron," Harry suppressed a grin. "I think it's fantastic what you and Luna are doing for these children."

"When she first asked me, I thought it was one or two," Ron said glumly. "But then this morning, she tells me that she wants to foster ten of them. Harry, you should have seen the look on her face. I couldn't turn her down after that, but all day long, I've just been thinking about 10 little rug rats tearing up our house, eating my food..."

"You never know," Harry said. "They may be the ten sweetest kids you've ever met."

"Or they could be 10 mini-Fred and Georges," Ron said shuddering.

"I'll help you out any way I can," Harry offered.

"There's nothing you can do," Ron said glumly. "She's made up her mind. And she's as stubborn as your wife when it comes down to it."

"I meant I'll help you out with the kids," Harry said with a grin. "I already know how Luna can be when she's got her mind made up."

"It's all that she's been able to talk about," Ron said plopping down in a chair. He didn't notice that Luna was now standing in the doorway.

"All who's been able to talk about?" Luna asked brightly.

"Luna!" Ron rocketed back off the chair.

"Ron's just been filling me in on your plan to foster children," Harry explained, coming around his desk to kiss Luna's cheek. "And I think it's wonderful."

"I'm really excited," Luna said. "I'm going to see if Frankie would like to help me redecorate the rooms. She has such a talent for that."

"I bet she would," Harry responded. "And I already told Ron that I'll help you guys out any way I can."

"That's part of why I came up here," Luna said beaming at him. "I was speaking with Hermione and she's agreed to visit one of the orphanages with me and I was hoping you'd come with. The kids would love it, Harry. You're the biggest hero in the world to them."

"I'd be happy to go," Harry agreed.

Luna gave him a hug. "You're the best. You and Ronald both!"

"I haven't done anything," Ron said with a shrug.

"Yes you have," Luna said beaming at him. "You've supported me on this from the start. I can't tell you how much that means to me!"

Ron felt guilty about coming up here to piss and moan to Harry. "I just want to make you happy Luna," he replied, vowing that he'd be a better sport about this from now on.

"And you have," Luna said coming up behind him and putting her arms around his neck.

Harry grinned at the look on Ron's face. "Sounds like you've both got your work cut out for you."

"It's going to be worth it," Luna said. "Right, Ronald?"

"Right," Ron replied.

"Is Ethan in?" Luna asked. "I wanted to say hello."

Harry shook his head. "He and Justin are out on a case."

"Guess I'll have to wait until later," Luna said. "Maddie is so excited about the wedding. She's been stopping by almost every day with Drew and Darla about something."

"I know Drew and Darla love being able to do this for their little sister," Harry said.

"They've really put their all into it," Ron said. "I can't wait for the buffet."

Luna laughed. "Ronald, this is your baby girl's wedding and all you can think about is the food?"

Ron grinned sheepishly. "Well I haven't eaten since breakfast so I'm starving..."

"How about we grab a bite to eat in the cafeteria?" Luna suggested. "And then you can come with me to talk to Frankie."

"That sounds good," Ron replied. "I'll have two sandwiches today."

"Only two?" Harry joked. "You feeling okay?"

"That's just a start," Ron said eagerly, practically pulling Luna out of the room.

"Bye Harry!" Luna called out over her shoulder.

Harry chuckled as he waved them out.

"Was that Ron and Luna I saw practically running out of the office?" Neville asked as he came inside.

"Yeah," Harry smirked. "Heading for the cafeteria."

"There's a shock," Neville laughed. He handed Harry an envelope. "This came for you earlier."

"Oh," Harry took it. "Wonder what it is..." he tore it open.

Neville had a feeling what was inside when he'd seen the Hogwarts seal.

"Shit..." Harry said in awe. "They're offering me the headmaster position."

"It's not the first time," Neville said.

Harry shook his head. "I thought for sure McGonagall would just move up."

"She's always said that when Dumbledore finally stepped down, so would she," Neville said.

"I did think about this," Harry replied. "And even though it'd be nice to see Julie and Saffy every day... I don't want to give up being an Auror."

"And you don't want to be away from Hermione," Neville said.

"That too," Harry said with a grin.

"I wonder who will get the call now," Neville said thoughtfully. He shook his head. "It's hard to picture Hogwarts without Dumbledore."

"Tell me about it," Harry agreed. "I just hope whoever replaces him will do as good a job as he did."

"Big shoes to fill," Neville said quietly.

"Aye," Harry set the job offer aside.

"You think Lupin might want it?" Neville asked.

"I don't know," Harry shrugged. "I'll show it to him."

Neville nodded. "So is Saffy looking forward to getting back to school?"

"Not as much as before," Harry grinned. "Now that Andrew's not going to be there."

"At least she can concentrate on her marks and Quidditch," Neville said. "At least that's what I said with Allie."

"She's vying for Head Girl so I'm sure she'll work towards that," Harry nodded.

"The second Head Girl in your family," Neville said. "You and Hermione have to be proud."

"We definitely are," Harry said.

"Well, I'd better get back to work," Neville said. "My trainee can't tie his shoes without me."

Harry laughed. "I'll see you later mate. If you see Ethan when he comes back in will you tell him to come by?"

"Should I tell him his father wants to see him or his boss?" Neville joked.

"Say it's the boss," Harry grinned. "See what he says."

"Will do," Neville said laughing as he walked out of the office.

*** *** ***

Because she'd be going back to school in a couple of weeks, Saffron wanted to spend all the time she could with Andrew. Thankfully, they had the flat all to themselves as RJ had taken Alexa out for dinner.

Andrew had actually cooked dinner for them and they were now watching a movie.

"Okay that girl's fixing to get killed," Andrew said. "Because one, she just had sex with her boyfriend and two, they're playing that creepy music."

Saffron laughed. "This movie's a bit predictable."

"Nobody can be this stupid," Andrew said chuckling.

"I know I wouldn't be that dumb," Saffron declared, moving closer to him on the sofa. "They always run into the woods when they should be heading for the road where the cars are. Or upstairs, when they should head out the front door."

"If only all girls were like you," Andrew said putting an arm around her.

"They should be," Saffron grinned at him.

"There's only one Saffron Grace Potter," Andrew said leaning in. "And she's mine."

"All yours," Saffron said before he pressed his lips to hers.

Saffron pulled him down on the sofa as he deepened the kiss.

He ran his hands through her hair, cupping her face between his hands as they kissed passionately.

"Saffy," he whispered, trailing kisses down her neck and shoulder.

"Mmmhmm..." she answered, her eyes closed as she instinctively arched her back.

Andrew pulled her even closer and slowly lifted up her t-shirt. Her skin was so warm and soft and he couldn't get enough of her.

Saffron's breathing became erratic as he ran his hands over her bare stomach. "Andrew..." she said. "Oh please..."

"You like this?" he asked with a grin.

"Very much," her eyes were half closed.

"How about this?" he asked as his hand snaked under her bra.

Her body instinctively jerked against his as her eyes opened wide.

"Okay?" he asked hesitantly.

Saffron nodded, unable to speak.

Andrew kissed her again as he cupped her breast in his hand.

She had never gone this far with any guy ever before and it was very thrilling to be here with Andrew doing this.

"I love you so much," he breathed against her skin.

"I love you too," Saffron whimpered.

Andrew smiled down at her. "And you are adorable..."

"Just adorable?" Saffron ran her fingers through his dark hair.

"Beautiful," Andrew said. "Stunning...."

"I knew I loved you for a reason," Saffron smiled at him.

Andrew kissed her again. "I'm not going to want you to leave...you know that right?"

"I don't want to leave," she replied. "I can't believe I'd actually NOT want to go back to school."

"I might have to tell the Daily Prophet," Andrew teased tickling her side.

"Like they don't get enough bad news as it is," Saffron giggled.

Andrew was about to kiss her again when there was a knock on the door.

"How about you get rid of whoever that is and I'll go grab us some ice cream?" Andrew suggested.

"I guess... as long as you promise we can pick up later where we left off," Saffron pressed her lips to his as she fixed her shirt.

"Deal," he said getting to his feet.

Saffron practically skipped to the front door. It was probably RJ, who was notorious for losing his keys and leaving his wand behind. When she swung open the door, it wasn't RJ who greeted her, but a tall, leggy blonde with a red dress on that didn't leave much to the imagination. In her arm, she carried the smallest dog Saffron had ever seen.

"Is this RJ's place?" the girl asked with a giggle.

"Yeah," Saffron raised an eyebrow. "He's not here though."

"He told me I could come by anytime," the girl said brushing past Saffron. "I'm Serena and this little guy here is Pookie."

Saffron stifled a groan when she realised who the girl was. "Well that's great," she said shortly. "RJ's out with his girlfriend and who knows when they'll be back."

Serena set her dog down and giggled. "This is such a great place. Are you the maid?"

"I beg your pardon?" Saffron asked, her temper flaring.

"Could you get Pookie some water?" Serena asked. "But not from the tap. He prefers spring water."

"No," Saffron snapped. "I'm not the bloody maid you twit!"

"Andy!" Serena squealed when Andrew walked back into the room carrying two bowls of ice cream.

Saffron whirled around. "Andy?" she asked.

Andrew looked very much like he wanted the floor to open up and swallow him whole. "H-hi, Serena. What are you doing here?"

"I came over to see RJ," Serena said with a laugh. "Thought he might be around."

"Um, no," Andrew said trying not to meet Saffron's gaze. "He's not due back for awhile actually."

"Well I'm sure he wouldn't mind me sticking around to wait for him," Serena replied. "And we can catch up, Andy!"

"Do you mind if I borrow Andy for a second?" Saffron asked not waiting for an answer before she grabbed Andrew by the arm and led him into the kitchen, causing him to drop one of the bowls of ice cream on the carpet.

"Saf come on--" Andrew said. "Now I've made a mess."

"I'll say you have," Saffron hissed at him. "I didn't even know you knew her. And she's calling you Andy and showing up here!"

"I've only met her once," Andrew replied. "She hangs around with the guys from Puddlemere and I met her at one of RJ's parties."

"And RJ actually told her she could show up here anytime she wanted?" Saffron asked incredulously.

"He was just being nice," Andrew replied. "Come on Saf, she's not so bad... just a bit spacey is all."

"A bit spacey?" Saffron asked rolling her eyes. "That bowl of ice cream has more intelligence than she has."

"Look," Andrew said. "Just be civil to her and she'll probably get bored and leave."

"Whatever," Saffron huffed. "She just had to come in and ruin our night."

"It's not over yet," Andrew said. He held up the bowl of ice cream. "Chocolate Mocha Fudge. Your favourite."

Saffron tried to stay irritated with him but as usual found it impossible.

"Be nice and I promise you'll get rewarded," Andrew said giving her a kiss.

"I'll try," Saffron replied, taking the bowl.

Andrew smiled and followed Saffron back into the sitting room. He used his wand to clean up the mess on the carpet and he prayed that Saffron would be able to make it through five minutes.

"Who's this girl in the picture here?" Serena asked holding up the frame.

"That's my best friend and RJ's girlfriend," Saffron emphasized her last word. "Alexa O'Leary."

Serena looked at the picture for a long time. "She's cute in a wholesome kind of way."

"She's gorgeous," Saffron said sharply.

"So, how have you been Serena?" Andrew asked, eager to change the subject.

"Fine Andy," she beamed at him. "I'm releasing a new single in a few weeks."

"Really?" Andrew asked. "What's it called?"

"Release me from your Spell," Serena answered promptly, making Saffron snort in disdain.

"And will you be going on tour?" he asked.

"Just a few promotional spots," Serena said. "Here and there. And I'm singing at Puddlemere's Opening Night bash. I was going to ask RJ if he wanted to escort me."

"RJ wants to bring his girlfriend," Saffron interjected.

Serena tossed her hair back and laughed. "I think it would be a bit out of her league, don't you?"

"Hardly," Saffron replied icily.

Serena's dog was snarling at Saffron and Serena did nothing to stop him.

"I-I'll just go and get him some water then, shall I?" Andrew asked before making a hasty retreat.

Saffron crossed her arms and stared coolly at the blonde without saying a word.

"Andy's such a sweet bloke," Serena said still looking at the photographs on the mantelpiece.

"I know," Saffron replied tightly. "He's my boyfriend."

Serena giggled. "Don't worry. I don't have my eye on him."

"I don't care if you did," Saffron said. "He's only interested in me anyway. Just like RJ's only interested in Alexa."

"Who's Alexa?" Serena asked conversationally.

"Hello," Saffron rolled her eyes. "RJ's girlfriend... I told you that before."

Serena picked up her dog and acted as if she hadn't heard a word Saffron had said. "I'm going to go freshen up in the loo. I want to look my best when RJ gets here."

"I don't know how you can put up with her," Saffron snapped when Andrew came back into the room. "She's a complete airhead."

Andrew set the bowl of water down on the carpet. "Where is she? Did you do anything with her?"

Saffron snorted. "I wish I had."

Andrew laughed and was about to say something when the front door opened.

"I wouldn't have minded paying," Alexa said laughing.

RJ shook his head. "No, this is on me. I'll just get my wallet and we can go."

"I'm going to lock her in the bathroom," Saffron said, heading for the hall but Andrew caught her arm.

"Just let it go," Andrew whispered just as RJ and Alexa came into the room.

"Hi you guys," Alexa said smiling at them. "RJ forgot his wallet. We'll be out of your hair really soon. I promise."

"That's good," Saffron nodded quickly. "Because you don't want to stick around here at all. We were watching a really boring movie."

RJ laughed. "I'm surprised you weren't snogging on the sofa."

"We were," Andrew grinned at his best friend.

"The moment I picked Lexie up at her house and I saw her in that dress, I wanted to snog her on the sofa, but somehow I doubt her parents would have gone for that," RJ said grinning at his girlfriend.

"I doubt it too," Saffron relaxed and forgot about Serena for a moment.

"I feel so grown up," Alexa said with a blush tingeing her cheeks. "This restaurant is so posh, Saffy."

Saffron smiled at her. "You two deserve a nice night out like this."

"And I should really go and grab my wallet," RJ said heading for the hallway, but he was suddenly bombarded by an ear-splitting squeal and a flash of blonde hair.

"There you are!" she exclaimed, throwing her arms around him. Her dog was jumping up and down excitedly at her feet.

"Serena," RJ said. "What... what are you doing here?"

Serena giggled and let go of him. "Silly! You told me to stop by any time!"

"Oh I said that?" RJ asked uncomfortably.

Serena nodded. "Look at you all dressed up! You look good enough to eat!"

"Why don't you meet Alexa," Saffron cast Serena a murderous look. "You know, the girl we've been talking about all night..."

"Why don't we go back to your room?" Serena asked RJ, whispering in his ear.

"Serena..." RJ pushed her back. "I told you, I have a girlfriend already."

Saffron put a comforting arm around her friend. She was pleasantly surprised with how RJ was handling this situation.

"While the cat's away," Serena said pouting at him.

"The cat's right here," RJ replied. "It's good to see you Serena, but tonight's me and Lexie's special evening together."

Serena shrugged. "You know where I am, if you change your mind." She knelt down and picked up her dog. "Bye, RJ! Bye Andy!"

"What a bimbo!" Saffron exclaimed once she'd left. "Ugh!"

"I don't remember telling her she could stop by here," RJ said looking straight at Alexa as he said this. "I honestly didn't know she knew where we lived."

"I believe you RJ," Alexa said.

"That stupid cow thought that I was a maid," Saffron said. "And then when we told her you weren't here, she insisted on staying."

"And Saffy didn't kill her which is a good thing," Andrew said proudly.

"I wanted to," Saffron flexed her hands. "She's even worse than I thought she was."

RJ walked over to Alexa and kissed her on the forehead. "I'll be right back. And you look gorgeous tonight. This isn't going to ruin our night, right?"

"Absolutely not," Alexa smiled at him.

RJ grinned before heading toward his bedroom.

"So," Alexa said not wanting to talk about Serena Starr anymore. "What did Andrew cook for you?"

"Chicken parmesan," Saffron answered. "And it was delicious."

"Oooh," Alexa said grinning at her.

"I love a man that can cook," Saffron wound her arms around her boyfriend.

"How did you learn how to cook, Andrew?" Alexa asked.

"My mum," Andrew replied. "And my grandmother. They both insisted I learn to make a few dishes if I was going to live on my own."

"Remind me to thank them," Saffron said leaning against him.

Alexa smiled at the two of them. She was glad her best friend was as happy with Andrew as she was with RJ.

"We have leftovers," Andrew offered.

"Leftovers of what?" RJ was stuffing his wallet into his pocket.

"Chicken Parmesan a la Andrew," Saffron said.

"Midnight snack," RJ joked. "Come on Lex- I don't want to be late for our reservations."

"Okay," Alexa said, giving Saffron a hug. "I'll tell you everything tomorrow."

"I'll ring you when I get up," Saffron promised. "Have fun and don't behave," she whispered.

"You too," Alexa said grinning at her.

"Well," Saffron said as RJ and Alexa left. "At least we're alone again."

"So much for the ice cream," Andrew said.

Saffron giggled. "I don't care much about the ice cream."

"You don't?" he asked.

She shook her head. "I'll give you one guess as to what I'm thinking about right now."

"Something like this?" he asked nuzzling her neck.

"It's a good start," Saffron wound her arms around him.

"And maybe this?" he asked his arms snaking around her waist.

"That works too," Saffron said lazily, pulling him back towards the sofa.

"I think we might be on the same page, Saf," Andrew said grinning at her.

"That's why we're so good together," she smiled back.

"No, we're not good together," Andrew said shaking his head.

"We aren't?" Saffron raised an eyebrow.

Andrew kissed her, long and slow. "We're great together," he said softly.

"Mmm..." she answered huskily. "I'm inclined to agree."

"I'm going to cook for you more often if we end up like this," he said.

"Maybe next time I'll make dinner for you," Saffron said as he pushed her onto the sofa.

"What are you going to make for me?" he asked, his eyes darkening.

"I'm not sure..." she smiled. "Maybe just some dessert..."

"Some Saffron?" he asked kissing her.

"If you like," she giggled.

Andrew tickled her. "I like."

*** *** ***

While Lavender and Seamus had been happy with the counter article Luna had written about Gabriel, the young man in question wasn't so sure he liked all the attention. He'd gone out with Saffron to a movie after they were back from Brighton and due to the media attention in the newspapers; he'd gotten swarmed with girls just outside the theatre.

He walked back into the penthouse and could hear Lavender and Seamus in the sitting room.

"Gabriel, is that you?" he heard Lavender call out to him.

"Yeah," Gabriel answered.

Lavender set her magazine down and grinned at her stepson when he came into the room. "How was the film? That director is a really good friend of Seamus'."

"The movie was good," Gabriel shrugged.

"Not as good as your old man's though, right?" Seamus joked.

"I got mobbed outside after the movie." he replied.

"What?" Seamus asked, the smile falling from his face. "By whom?"

Gabriel rolled his eyes. "By about a million screaming girls, photographers, reporters, you name it."

"We should have had a driver take you," Seamus said with a frown. "From now on, you don't go anywhere without a bodyguard..."

"I think that might be a little harsh---" Lavender started to protest.

"A driver or bodyguard wouldn't have been able to stop anything." Gabriel interrupted. "They got me and Saf when we were walking out of the theatre."

Seamus nodded. "Well, it's to be expected after all that's happened. I should have warned you that something like this was possible, Gabe."

"I didn't know it would be this bad," Gabriel said.

"It will die down soon enough," Lavender said motioning for him to take a seat. "Trust me on that."

"I hope so," Gabriel sighed. "I had one girl propose marriage to me. Marriage!"

Lavender giggled. 'Did you say yes?"

Gabriel gave her a strange look. "Why would I say yes I don't even know her."

Lavender held up her hands. "I was only teasing."

"I-um, guess now wouldn't be the best time to tell you that you made the cover of People magazine in the States," Seamus said handing his son the latest issue.

Gabriel stared at the magazine in disbelief. "Why is this such a big deal?" he snapped.

"If I had to guess, it's because of who your father is and the circumstances that led up to you meeting each other," Lavender said softly. "And it helps that you're quite a good-looking young man."

Gabriel turned red. "I guess..."

"Gabe, I'm sorry," Seamus said. "I just thought Luna's article would make things better for you and clear up some of those lies that the papers published."

"I'm just not used to this," Gabriel replied. "I mean, I've gone all my life just being this ordinary guy and now I found out my dad's one of the most famous directors in the world and I'm thrust into the spotlight."

The last thing Seamus wanted was for his son to regret his decision to come forward. "I wish I could change things, Gabe."

Gabriel shook his head. "I may not like it but I'll have to deal you know?"

Seamus sighed in relief. "We'll help you anyway we can. And Lav's right. This will die down eventually."

Gabriel nodded. "I don't mean to take my anger out on you both."

"It's okay," Lavender said smiling reassuringly at him. "This is all new to you."

"You can say that again," Gabriel sat back and tossed the magazine aside.

"I can't believe how fast this summer has gone by," Lavender said. "You only have a few more days here."

"I know," Gabriel said. "I'm going to miss being here in England."

"We've enjoyed having you here," Lavender said. "But we spend the majority of our time in California anyway. Once Seamus is finished filming, we'll be back in LA and you can stay with us anytime you want. Right, Seamus?"

"Absolutely," Seamus replied.

"And I'm sure Saffy will be out to visit you too," Lavender said. "And maybe, she'll bring a friend along..."

"Whatever," Gabriel turned red. "I'm going to take a shower."

Seamus nodded and watched as his son left the room.

"What were you teasing him about?"

"Oh come on Seamus," Lavender sat back. "He fancies Alexa."

"Saffy's best friend?" Seamus asked.

"Hello," Lavender rolled her eyes.

"Isn't she dating Ron's youngest?" Seamus asked pulling a confused face.

"Yes," Lavender retrieved the magazine and began flipping through it. "You know how teenage angst can be though."

"My teenage years weren't that complicated," Seamus said defensively. "Well, except for the poor decision I made to get involved with Parvati Patil."

Lavender made a face. "Don't mention that name in front of me."

"Sorry," Seamus muttered.

Lavender moved over on the sofa. "I'm rather looking forward to being back in California as well."

"Rodeo Drive is calling your name," Seamus teased.

"That it is," Lavender replied. "I'm going to be so out of fashion."

"You're never out of fashion, Lavender," Seamus said pulling her closer. "Never."

She kissed her husband. "This is why I love you so much..."

"Just that?" he asked tickling her side.

"It's one of a few reasons," Lavender giggled.

Seamus gave her another kiss. "How's Maddie's dress coming along?"

"Just gorgeous," Lavender replied. "She's going to be one beautiful bride."

"I'm sure Ethan can't wait to see her in it," Seamus said thoughtfully.

"He's going to be completely speechless," Lavender said proudly.

"Much like how I was when you came walking down the aisle toward me," Seamus said kissing the side of her head.

"I had you whipped," Lavender said in satisfaction.

"Completely," Seamus said. "Still do."

"That's what I like hearing," Lavender beamed.

They sat there in silence for a little while, enjoying each other's company. The telephone rang and Seamus rolled his eyes before answering it.

"Hello?"

"Hi, Mr. Finnigan," Alexa said. "Is Gabriel home?"

"Yes he is," Seamus said, looking at his wife. "I'll get him for you."

"Who is it?" Lavender asked.

"Alexa," Seamus replied, calling for his son.

Lavender grinned and resisted the urge to gloat to her husband.

Gabriel came bounding down the stairs, dressed in his pyjamas and his hair still wet from his shower.

"Telephone," Seamus said holding it out to him.

"My future wife?" Gabriel asked dryly.

Lavender clapped her hand over her mouth to keep from laughing too loud.

Seamus took Lavender by the arm and led her out of the sitting room so his son would have some privacy.

"Hello?" Gabriel asked hesitantly.

"Hi, Gabe," Alexa said softly. "It's me, Alexa."

"Hey," Gabriel replied. "I didn't um... realise that you had my number here..."

"Saffy gave it to me," Alexa said. "I hope you don't mind."

"I don't mind," he sat down.

"Saffy told me how things went tonight," Alexa continued. "I just wanted to see how you were doing."

"All right," Gabriel said. "I'm on the cover of People."

"The American magazine?" Alexa asked. "Whoa.."

"Yeah," Gabriel said. "Aren't I the lucky one?" he asked dryly.

"If it had been me, I'd want to run a mile in the other direction," Alexa said thoughtfully. "I'm not one to want to be in the spotlight."

"I'm not either," Gabriel replied. "But I suppose it can't be helped."

"I think you're handling this all extremely well," Alexa said.

"Yeah?" he perked up. "You really think so?"

"I do," Alexa said. "And if you do decide to marry that strange girl in the crowd, I hope you invite me to the wedding..."

Gabriel made a face. "I'm not marrying some weird girl."

Alexa giggled. "You don't even know the girl, Gabe. She could be very nice, and at the very least, very bold..."

"Definitely not my type," Gabriel replied.

"You prefer the shy, quiet type that doesn't shout out proposals of marriage?" she asked.

"Sure," he said, sitting up. "I like being the gentleman in the relationship, you know? The one who holds the doors open, who pays for dinner, that sort of thing. Guess I'm a bit old fashioned."

"It's a shame more guys aren't like you," Alexa said softly. "You're going to make some girl very happy someday."

He wanted to say he wished it was her but didn't. "Thanks Lex," he replied.

"No problem," she said. "How was the movie? I wish I'd come with. RJ had to cancel out on me anyway."

"Why did he cancel?" Gabriel ignored her question.

"A couple of his mates from the team wanted to take him out for a few drinks," Alexa replied. "I didn't say anything to him, but--"

"He should be spending as much time with you as he can," Gabriel said. "You two aren't going to see each other for awhile once you go back to school."

Alexa was silent for a few moments and Gabriel thought that perhaps he'd overstepped his bounds.

"I shouldn't let it get to me," Alexa said quietly.

"I have no room to criticise," he apologised.

"He did take me out for dinner the other night and it was great," Alexa said. "Until we had to go back to the flat because he'd forgotten his wallet and Serena Starr was there."

"Who?" Gabriel asked.

"She's a singer," Alexa replied. "Not that great mind you, but she's gorgeous so all the guys love her."

"And she knows RJ?" Gabriel asked.

"Through the team," Alexa said.

Gabriel listened as Alexa explained Serena's appearance and her attempt to come on to RJ with Alexa only inches away.

"That's pretty pathetic," Gabriel said bluntly. "I hope he was smart enough to set her straight."

"He was," Alexa said. "And afterwards, we had a really nice night. Tonight, he was going to go out to dinner with me and my parents..."

"I'm sorry Lex," Gabriel said. "If it was me, I wouldn't miss something like that."

"I shouldn't have unloaded on you about this," Alexa said. "I called to see how you were doing."

"I don't mind," Gabriel replied. "You're my friend Lex."

"You're my friend too," Alexa said sounding much better than she had a few moments ago. "And for being such a good friend, I'd love it if you'd stop by the bakery tomorrow. Mum's giving away free coffee with every pastry."

"Sounds good," Gabriel replied. "I'd love to take some of her fudge home for my grandparents."

"I'll pack up some of the best for you then," Alexa said. "So, I guess I'll see you sometime tomorrow morning then?"

"Yeah," Gabriel smiled. "Thanks Lex- I'm looking forward to it."

"Me too," Alexa said before hanging up the phone.

Gabriel sat for a few moments before hanging up as well. He couldn't help but like that girl- and wonder what the hell was wrong with her boyfriend for cancelling on her all the time.

"Everything okay?" Seamus asked his son.

"Fine," Gabriel nodded.

"Don't worry," Seamus said. "Lavender went upstairs to finish some sketches. I made sure she didn't eavesdrop on your call."

Gabriel smiled. "She likes to know everything doesn't she?"

"She thinks it's part of her charm," Seamus said with a laugh.

"I suppose it is," Gabriel grinned.

"I'm glad to see you smiling again," Seamus said sitting down.

"Yeah well," Gabriel ran his hand through his hair. "I guess I've calmed down."

"I'm still not used to it actually," Seamus confided. "Truth be told, I hate that every move I make is scrutinised."

"It's hard knowing that everyone's got their eye on you," Gabriel agreed.

"It's overwhelming," Seamus said. "But you have to try and keep your calm and when in doubt throw a 'no comment' at them and walk away."

"I'll keep it in mind," Gabriel nodded. "Thanks Dad."

"I'm so proud of you and how you've dealt with all of this," Seamus said smiling at him. "This summer did go by way too fast. I know you're going to be busy with classes ..."

"I can visit with you on weekends," Gabriel said.

"We'd love that," Seamus said.

Gabriel smiled. "I'd like it too."

"Is Lewis still mad at me?" Seamus asked. "I know your grandfather was against you doing Luna's article."

"I told him the whole thing was my fault to begin with," Gabriel said. "If I'd been more careful about who I talked to on your set--"

"That wasn't your fault, Gabriel," Seamus interjected. "I've told you that I don't blame you for that."

"I just should have been more cautious," Gabriel insisted.

"Perhaps, but now you know that you can't trust everyone," Seamus said. "And I don't want the world thinking that I'm ashamed of you or that I didn't want you. You're my son and I want everyone to know that and for them to know how proud I am of you."

"Thanks," Gabriel said with a broad grin. "I guess I needed to hear that."

"It's late," Seamus said looking at his watch. "I should get to sleep. Early day on the set tomorrow."

"I'm probably going to stay up a little while longer," Gabriel said. "Watch some TV..."

"Okay," Seamus said getting to his feet. "I'll see you in the morning, son."

"Night Dad," Gabriel watched him leave the room.

He reached for the remote and turned the television on; absently flipping through the channels. His mind kept returning to Alexa O'Leary.

He wondered exactly what it was about the redhead that had captivated his attention. He supposed it wasn't only because she was pretty, but she was sweet and shy and a genuinely friendly person.

And he honestly couldn't understand how RJ Weasley couldn't see what a great girl he had. If he was her boyfriend, he would spend every chance he had with her before they'd be separated for months.

He finally settled on some old horror film that he'd seen before but Gabriel didn't pay it much attention as he thought about getting to see Alexa tomorrow.

"Did that guy just chop that woman's head off?" Lavender asked from behind him. "That's disgusting!"

"I think so," Gabriel said. "I really wasn't paying attention."

Lavender wanted to know how his phone conversation with Alexa had gone, but she remembered Seamus telling her not to pry.

"Want to join me?" Gabriel asked his stepmother.

"Sure," Lavender said taking a seat. "I'm not one for horror films though."

"This one's pretty lame," Gabriel replied.

Lavender was silent for a few minutes as they both watched the film. Curiosity was eating away at her though and she decided to see if she could backdoor Gabriel into telling her about his call with Alexa.

"So," Lavender said nonchalantly. "That was really nice of Alexa to call and see how you were doing..."

"Yeah Saffron told her about what happened at the theatre," Gabriel replied.

"Seems like such a sweet girl," Lavender said. "She's always been a great friend to Saffy."

"That's what Saf told me," Gabriel nodded. "I guess her mom's having some sort of promotion at their bakery tomorrow and she wants me to come."

Lavender grinned. "That sounds like fun."

"I'll always go running for free coffee," Gabriel joked.

"Me too," Lavender said with a laugh. "And you could always bring me a piece of fudge. Just one, mind you. I don't want to overindulge."

"Just a sliver right?" Gabriel teased her.

"Right," Lavender said nudging him.

"Dad went to bed," Gabriel told her. "Said he had an early start."

"He always does when he's filming," Lavender said rolling her eyes.

"You don't like it?" he asked.

"I've always been a bit of a night owl and he's always been one to turn in early," Lavender admitted. "But every now and then, I convince him to stay up."

"He might still be awake up there," Gabriel replied with a grin.

"Maybe I'll go check," Lavender said getting to her feet. "If you need someone to drive you over to Alexa's tomorrow, you let me know."

"Thanks," Gabriel said. "Might take you up on it."

Lavender squeezed his shoulder. "Good night, Gabe."

"Night," Gabriel watched her go and resumed flipping channels.

119. 119!!!

Thanks again you guys for your reviews! The storyline we have in mind for H/Hr isn’t coming into effect for quite some time yet but we promise to make it worth your while ;)

This chapter ends on a bit of a cliffie, so be forewarned ;)

With only a month left until their wedding, Ethan and Maddie were quite busy but they both found an evening free to have dinner with Ron and Luna.

Luna was currently telling them about her plans to foster orphaned children. "And in this house, we can have up to eight," she explained.

"How lovely," Maddie said. "I think it's wonderful that you both want to do this."

"And Frankie agreed to help me with the decorations," Luna explained. "I know she's extremely busy..."

"Especially since RJ joined the team," Ethan joked.

"Who?" Luna asked. "Are you referring to my baby? My youngest son? Who I've barely seen since he graduated..."

"None of us have seen him Mum," Maddie pointed out.

"His career is taking off," Ron said in his youngest son's defence.

"He hasn't even played a game yet," Luna said.

"But he's notorious," Ethan grinned. "For wearing dresses..."

"That was part of his initiation!" Ron exclaimed.

"I remember when he was little and used to say he was a fairy," Maddie said dreamily. "He was so cute!"

Luna and Ethan laughed. "I bet he'd like to hear about that now." he said.

"I told you we never should have let him play dress up with Maddie, Drew and Darla," Ron told his wife.

"Oh come on Ron," Luna said mildly. "It's done no long term harm."

Maddie grinned. "And you seemed to survive that unfortunate dress robes incident from that Yule Ball you went to."

"He looked very handsome," Luna said dreamily. "I couldn't take my eyes off of him..."

"I never knew you were there," Ron looked at his wife. "Who'd you wind up going with?"

"Justin," Luna replied.

"Finch Fletchley?" Ron snorted.

"Yes," Luna said looking at him. "Why? What's wrong with Justin?"

"I always thought he was gay," Ron replied.

"He was not," Luna said swatting him on the arm. "He was a perfect gentleman all evening long."

Ron grinned. "Because he was checking out other guys."

"At least he danced," Luna retorted. "You sat on your arse all evening."

Ethan and Maddie exchanged amused glances as Ron and Luna bickered.

"Yeah well I had to sit with Harry," Ron replied.

"Padma said you were the worst date in the history of the world," Luna said.

"And you believed her?" Ron sat back before helping himself to another serving of roast beef.

"You did just sit there," Luna pointed out. "You barely spoke three words to her and you were very rude and didn't offer to get her a drink or food."

"He must have gotten better at it right Mum?" Maddie asked with a grin.

"After a lot of training," Luna said thoughtfully. "Yes..."

"Hey!" Ron squawked.

"On our first real date, you did almost blind me," Luna reminded him. "But you were such a bumbling idiot, it was so endearing!"

"Gee thanks," Ron replied.

"You were," Luna said putting an arm around him.

"How about we eat now?" Ron asked. "Please?"

"We have been eating," Ethan laughed at him.

"Okay then," Ron said leaning back in his chair. "Can I have some more then?"

Maddie giggled. "It's a good thing we're having a huge buffet at the wedding."

"He does know that as he's part of the receiving line, we'll all probably be the last to eat, right?" Ethan asked his fiancée.

"What?" Ron looked at his wife and daughter. "No one told me that!"

"We were trying to think of the best way to break the news to you, Daddy," Maddie said grinning at him.

"How could you do this to me?" Ron asked dramatically.

"Daddy, there is still going to be loads of food left," Maddie reassured him. "We just have to receive the guests and thank them for coming to the wedding..."

"H-how many guests are there going to be exactly?" Ron asked.

"How many was it at last count Mads?" Ethan asked. "Four hundred?"

"I beg your pardon?" Ron asked incredulously. "I don't even know 400 people!"

"Mum does," Ethan replied.

Ron rolled his eyes. "She knows too many people."

"Daddy she's the Minister," Maddie said with a grin. "It's all about the appearances."

"For Merlin's sake, Ronald," Luna said. "How about we let you have a couple of appetizers before we go in?"

"I think I can deal with that," Ron nodded. "Good idea."

"Problem solved," Ethan said chuckling.

"I still can't believe my baby girl's going to be married in a month," Ron smiled at Maddie.

"Less than a month, Daddy," Maddie corrected. "And no matter what, I'm still going to be your baby girl."

"And I promise to take very good care of her," Ethan interjected.

Luna smiled. "You two are going to be so happy."

"We already are," Maddie said.

"And if he treats her bad---" Ron started to say.

"I'm right here," Ethan laughed at him. "And it's not likely I could ever treat my Maddie wrongly."

"Yes, well, if you do---" Ron said sternly.

"Ronald," Luna chastised.

"I'm just telling him what's what," Ron said defensively. "Maddie's the first of my girls to get married..."

"You mean Brian's got to go through this?" Ethan asked. "I'll have to warn him if he decides to propose."

"Hans too," Ron said. "But to tell you the truth, I don't quite know what to make of him..."

"He seems to like Darla well enough," Maddie volunteered. "But she told me lately they've not been getting along as well."

Ron took a drink of his wine. "What does that boy do for a living again?"

"He models," Ethan said with a slight smirk.

Ron guffawed. "Models? Think we might have another Justin Finch-Fletchley on our hands, Luna..."

"Justin was not gay!" Luna exclaimed throwing a roll at her husband.

Ron chortled as did Ethan. "Where did she meet him anyway?"

"Some bridal magazine shoot," Ethan replied. "He was modelling dress robes."

"He seems like a perfectly nice young man and he cares about Darla," Luna said. "That's good enough for me."

"Just a shame he doesn't have a more manly profession," Ron cracked.

Luna gaped at him. "A more manly profession?"

"Like Quidditch," Ron nodded. "Or an Auror like Ethan."

"He seems pretty manly to me," Maddie said. "I saw this layout he did for Witch Weekly. Swimwear....looks all man to me..."

"Maddie!" Ethan exclaimed.

"What?" Maddie grinned at him.

"I'm right here you know," he said.

"I know," she gave him her most innocent look.

"Can we refrain from talking about Hans and his..."

"Layout?" Maddie asked winking at him.

"Madeline Molly!" Ron exclaimed.

Luna laughed. "Maybe we shouldn't be talking about Darla's boyfriend like this."

"I agree," Ethan said. "Really, really agree."

"They asked Ethan to pose once," Maddie told her parents. "He turned them down."

Ethan turned red. "Not my thing."

"He's not going to be one of London's 10 Hottest Bachelor Wizards anymore," Maddie said beaming at him.

"Now that I don't mind in the least," Ethan replied with a goofy grin.

"I never made that list," Ron said glumly.

"You should have Daddy," Maddie said loyally.

Ron grinned at her. "Thanks, Maddie Molly. Ethan's dad was always making those lists."

"And he never lets anyone forget it," Luna giggled.

"Mister Hottest Bachelor of the Year," Ron said dramatically. "Mister Cutest Arse. Mister Green Eyes. Wizard McDreamy..."

"I didn't know you kept track of all that," Ethan said. "I'll have to tell him so."

Ron shook his head. "No, no..."

"I'm sure he'd like to know he's still got a big fan in his best friend," Luna replied with a grin.

"The last thing he needs is something to enlarge his already healthy ego," Ron said.

"I'll tell him you said that too," Ethan joked.

"Anyways," Luna said. "I can't tell you what a treat it was for the kids at the orphanage to meet your parents, Ethan. They were in awe."

"That's really cool," Ethan commented. "It's nice for these kids to have some joy in their lives."

"Didn't you say Uncle Harry donated some Quidditch gear?" Maddie asked.

"Some old stuff he had stored away," Ethan nodded. "And Mum said Frankie was going to get the team to donate some goods as well."

"Do you know how many girls and how many boys you'll get?" Maddie asked.

"Four girls and four boys to start," Luna replied. "Two of them babies."

"Babies!" Maddie exclaimed.

Luna nodded. "I fell in love with them the moment I saw them. And there's a sweet little girl named Hannah. She's four."

"Bit of a quiet little girl," Ron commented. "She didn't say much when we met with her the other day."

"I bet you can bring her out of her shell," Maddie replied as she helped Luna clear the table.

"I tried everything I could to get her to laugh," Ron said. "She didn't even crack a smile."

"What happened to her?" Ethan asked.

"Her mother died a year ago and her father couldn't raise her on his own," Luna explained. "He's been in and out of prison since his wife's death."

"How awful," Ethan said. "Poor kid."

"I'm really hoping we can help her and provide a stable environment for her," Luna said. "The director of the orphanage said that she'd been passed around to three different homes already."

Maddie's heart went out to the little girl. "I'll do whatever I can to help you with her," she promised.

Luna smiled at her daughter. "Thank you, Madeline. Your father and I are going to need all the help we can get."

"I'd be happy to help out too," Ethan offered. "Just let me know."

"You can help me change dirty nappies," Ron said. "The part I'm least looking forward to."

Ethan laughed. "I suppose that'd be all right."

Maddie laughed. "Practise."

After dessert Maddie and Ethan took their leave- they both had an early morning at the Ministry the next day.

"We should do that more often," Maddie said as Ethan opened the door for her.

"Definitely," he said, going through the owl post on the table while Maddie went to go let Blue out of his cage.

"Mummy brought you some biscuits," Maddie said reaching into her bag. "Do you want one, Blue?"

Ethan grinned as Blue nodded happily while zooming around his and Maddie's heads.

"Here you go," Maddie said holding one out to him.

"He's a cute little bugger when he's happy," Ethan said.

"I could say the same for you," Maddie teased.

"These days I'm always happy," Ethan's grin grew wider.

"Me too," Maddie said grinning back at him. Blue whizzed by and grabbed the bag of biscuits out of her hand.

"Blue!" she exclaimed with a laugh.

"Thanks mate," Ethan said relieved that Maddie's hands were now free. He took her hand and pulled her in for a kiss.

"Mmm..." she closed her eyes. "I was waiting for that..."

"In less than a month, we won't have to wait anymore," Ethan whispered.

Maddie smiled as he kissed her again. "I really, really can't wait for that. It means so much to me that you agreed to wait Ethan. Our wedding night is going to be the best night of our lives."

"It's definitely been a test," Ethan said taking her hand and leading her back over to the sofa. "But it's going to be worth it."

"I agree," Maddie laughed as he pulled her down next to him.

Ethan chuckled as Blue flew over to sit on Maddie's shoulder, happily crunching away on a biscuit. "Did we decide who gets to keep him while we're on honeymoon?"

"Frankie said she and Will would keep him for us," Maddie replied, rubbing the top of her pixie's head.

"Frankie will probably dye him pink," Ethan joked.

"She wouldn't do that to my baby," Maddie crooned.

Blue's eyes got big and he seemed to smile at Maddie. Ethan watched as the pixie dropped the remains of his biscuit and then pecked Maddie on the cheek.

"I can't believe he understands you," Ethan shook his head.

"Dolly was the same way," Maddie said fondly.

"You just have a way with pixies," Ethan reached over and Blue hopped onto his hand. "At least he finally likes me too."

"That's because he knows how much you mean to me and he thinks of you as his dad now," Maddie said dreamily. "I just wish Dolly could have lived to see this."

"Her spirit lives on," Ethan said dramatically, making Blue cackle.

"I was thinking," Maddie said pulling an innocent face. "That Blue could be 'my something blue' in the wedding. You know...something old, something new..."

"Very funny," Ethan poked her side.

"I'm completely serious," Maddie said pouting at him.

Ethan snorted as Blue took on the same expression.

"He so wants to be a part of the wedding," Maddie said giggling. "Look at him!"

"Madeline Molly..." Ethan began.

"Ethan James," Maddie countered.

"Don't you give me that look," Ethan said as Blue grabbed his biscuits and flew back into his cage.

"It never fails," Maddie said smugly. "Come on..."

"Maddie he's not trained to be in social settings," Ethan replied. "You know that as well as I do."

"He's very behaved," Maddie said. "If you're still referring to what he did at Josh's party..."

"That's exactly what I'm talking about," Ethan said.

"He felt really bad about that," Maddie said defensively. "He thought that punch bowl was like his little bathtub..."

"Mads," Ethan said. "Not to the wedding all right?"

"Will you at least think about it?" Maddie asked. "Please?"

"Mads..." Ethan said exasperatedly. "We've got to think of the other people there too."

"Please?" Maddie said pouting at him.

Ethan shook his head. "You know I love the little guy, but not at our wedding. We're going to be too busy to pay attention to him and I don't want to just pawn him off on anyone else."

"How about a compromise?" Maddie asked. "What if I told you that one of my cousins volunteered to stand in the back with his cage...out of sight of everyone else, of course. Just so he can watch..."

Ethan raised his eyebrows. "You've really thought this out haven't you?" he asked with a grin.

Maddie beamed at him. "A girl always prepares..."

He laughed. "All right you win... again."

Maddie clapped her hands. "Yay! Thank you! Thank you!"

"You're good," Ethan pulled her over on top of him.

"Am I?" Maddie purred.

"Very... very... good..." Ethan said between kisses.

"You're not so bad yourself," Maddie said as he planted kisses on her neck.

"I'm going to marry you..." he said, unwinding her plait.

"Yes you are," Maddie said softly.

"I can't wait until you're my wife," he stroked her cheek.

Maddie smiled at him. "I wish I could go back in time and let my five-year old self hear you say that."

Ethan laughed. "I want to go tell my eight year old self to be nicer to you."

"Your eight-year old self was crushing on Kiki," Maddie reminded him.

"Oh man," Ethan shook his head. "I got butterflies whenever she was around. I never really knew what it was."

"That's the way crushes usually are," Maddie said resting her head on Ethan's shoulder. "And Chiaki was always nice to you about it."

"Too bad I didn't reciprocate that," he stroked her hair. "I was a little daft."

"You finally wised up," Maddie said closing her eyes.

"Mmmhmm..." Ethan replied. "I could stay like this all night..."

"Me too," Maddie said sleepily. "Let's sleep out here tonight."

"All right," he agreed. With his wand, he summoned a blanket and the alarm clock from their bedroom.

"Can you dim the lights too?" Maddie asked already snuggling against him.

"Sure," he shifted so they were lying more comfortably. "Will Blue be all right with his cage door open or should I shut it?"

"You might want to lock it," Maddie said sleepily.

Ethan waved his wand again and the door to Blue's cage shut. "Night Mads," he wrapped his arms around her. "I love you."

"I love you too," she said happily.

*** *** ***

Mrs. O'Leary's idea to give away free coffee with every pastry served turned out to be very good for business. Unfortunately, the bakery was packed and Alexa's mother was in the back baking away. Because Ben had flaked out, Alexa was the only one working the counter and she was trying very hard not to appear too flustered.

She hoped that wherever Ben was, he was having a great time with his girlfriend. He'd called in "sick", but Alexa had seen right through him. If she hadn't known him for as long as she had, she would have told her mother the truth. Ben promised to make it up to her somehow, but Alexa wasn't about to hold her breath waiting for that one.

She had rung Saffron to see if she could come in and help but she supposed her friend was already out somewhere with Andrew as she hadn't answered either.

"Miss," an elderly man was gesturing impatiently.

Alexa hurried back over to the counter and plastered a smile on her face. "Yes, sir? How can I help you?"

"I've been waiting to order for the past five minutes," he frowned.

"I'm sorry," Alexa apologised. "We're a little shorthanded. What can I get for you?"

As the man placed his order, Alexa silently cursed Ben. There was no possible way he could make this up to her.

"Hey," Gabriel had arrived. "How's it going Lex?"

Alexa groaned. "You don't even want to know."

"Excuse me, miss!" the man interjected angrily. "I asked for decaf!"

"I'm sorry!" Alexa grabbed the coffee cup.

"It's free," Gabriel looked at the man. "Why are you complaining?"

"Because I don't want caffeinated, young man," the man said crossly.

"Its okay, Gabe," Alexa said hurrying to finish the man's order. "Really...."

"You just don't have to be rude about it," Gabriel said bluntly. "She's human and she made a mistake... and you didn't have to pay for it to begin with."

"And you didn't even tell her what kind of coffee you wanted," the man's friend pointed out. "Quit giving the girl a hard time, Ernie."

Gabriel smiled reassuringly at Alexa as she finished assembling the order and the two men left. "I guess this promotion was really a hit eh?"

"They were queued up around the block when we opened," Alexa said leaning against the counter. "I imagine this is the calm before the storm."

"I thought you'd have more help," Gabriel looked around.

"We were supposed to," Alexa said rolling her eyes. "My friend Ben works here too, but he called in sick."

"How about Saffron or RJ?" Gabriel asked as she slid a cup of hot coffee over to him.

"Saffy's probably out with Andrew and I couldn't get in touch with RJ," Alexa replied. "He's probably too busy to help anyway."

"I could stick around if you want me to," Gabriel offered.

Alexa shook her head. "I couldn't ask you to do that..."

"I don't have anything planned for the afternoon," Gabriel said. "And I never mind helping out a friend in need."

"I'm definitely in need," Alexa said grinning at him. She reached under the counter for a spare apron. "You are a lifesaver, Gabriel Boyd."

"Anytime," he grinned back, thrilled that he would get to spend the afternoon with her now.

She handed him the apron. "Let me just show you the ropes then. It's really easy."

"Sure," Gabriel set his coffee down and followed her.

"You have to wear these plastic gloves when you serve," Alexa said showing him where the box was under the counter. "And none of the specialty coffees are part of the promotion. So if someone wants a latte or a cappuccino, they're out of luck."

"Just regular coffee," Gabriel nodded. "Got it."

Karen O'Leary poked her head out of the kitchen. "Alexa...oh, I didn't know you had company. Hello, Gabriel. Nice to see you again."

"Hi Mrs. O'Leary," Gabriel said. "Alexa's letting me help out- I hope you don't mind."

"Mind?" Karen asked. "Are you kidding me? We need all the help we can get. That was very nice of you to pitch in."

"I promised him free doughnuts," Alexa teased.

"Or fudge," Gabriel joked. "That stuff is addictive."

"Mum says its how she got Dad to marry her, right Mum?" Alexa asked.

"That's what he says," Mrs. O'Leary laughed.

"I think its part of the reason why RJ sticks around," Alexa said.

"Looks like we're about to get another rush," Karen O'Leary nodded towards the crowds approaching. "I'd better get back and start baking some more."

"We'd better get out front too," Alexa said pulling on Gabriel's arm.

"I don't know how to run the register," Gabriel said. "So it's probably best that you ring people through and I'll put orders together."

"Good plan," Alexa said, nodding.

The next several hours passed by quickly for both of them as they developed a system of Alexa taking orders and money, and Gabriel getting the pastries and coffee and bringing them to people.

Since he'd come to London, Gabriel couldn't remember having a better time. He and Alexa made each other laugh as the afternoon went by and they each managed to sneak a few bites of fudge when time allowed.

"Whew," Alexa said at half past six when they finally had ushered the last people out and were able to close. "That was completely mad!"

"Free coffee brings them in anytime, right?" Gabriel asked grabbing a rag and wiping down the counter.

"I think anything free brings them in," Alexa said dryly as she finished counting down the drawer.

"There's a place back home that sells ice cream," Gabriel said. "Every summer, they give out free ice cream cones. Some people camp out..."

Alexa shook her head. "I guess it's good for Mum," she replied. "We got loads of business today."

Gabriel opened his mouth to say something but the phone rang. Alexa rolled her eyes. "Let me just tell this person that we're closed..."

She picked up the phone. "O'Leary Bakery....wait....RJ? I can barely hear you!"

Gabriel frowned and wiped at the tables set up while Alexa was on the phone trying to decipher what RJ was saying.

"You're where?" Alexa practically shouted into the phone. "Athens? How did you end up in Greece?"

"Guys wanted to take me out," Gabriel could hear RJ saying. "We'll be back tomorrow!"

"Oh," Alexa said biting her bottom lip.

RJ laughed. "You should see what Peterson is doing right now, Lex. It's so messed up!"

"I'm sure it is," Alexa said softly. "I really miss you RJ."

"Yeah, I miss you too," RJ said. "Wait, Serena---stop! I'm trying to talk on the phone!"

"Serena?" Alexa asked. "S-she's there too?"

"Yeah she tagged along," RJ replied. "Told me to say hi to you."

She couldn't believe how cavalier he was being about all this. Trust him, she scolded herself. "You told me it was guys only, RJ."

"It was last minute Lexie," RJ replied. "I didn't know she was going to be here until we arrived."

"I have to go," Alexa said with false cheeriness. "You have fun and I guess I'll see you sometime before I go back to school then."

"We'll see each other," RJ said. "You're my date for the wedding remember?"

"Right," Alexa said quietly. "RJ---"

"Serena!" RJ cackled. "You're going to pay for that!" And with that, the line went dead. Alexa stood there for a few moments with the phone in her hand.

"You all right?" Gabriel asked quietly.

"Yeah," Alexa said forcing a smile as she hung up the phone. "Um, you don't have to stick around, Gabe. I can handle the cleanup...."

"Nonsense," Gabriel said. "I promised to stay and help you out."

"You've already gone above and beyond," Alexa said. To her astonishment, Gabriel continued to wipe down the counter. "Thanks, Gabe."

"Anything for a friend in need," he replied mildly.

Alexa smiled at him and grabbed a broom. "Gabe?"

"Yeah?" he turned around.

"Did you know----did you know things were about to end when you were dating your girlfriend?" she asked him. "Were there any clues?"

Gabriel shrugged. "It sort of came out of the blue for me."

Alexa nodded wordlessly and continued to sweep.

"You think things are going that bad with RJ?" he asked.

Alexa hadn't even talked about this with her mother or with Saffron, for that matter. For some reason though, she felt like she could talk to Gabriel about it. "I've fancied him almost from the moment I met him. I was 11 years old and Saffy and I had just gotten sorted into Gryffindor. She knew him already and he came over to tease her about something. I felt so stupid; I couldn't even string two words together."

Gabriel smiled. "But he eventually saw how fantastic you are."

"Eventually....after Juliet, Cori, Veronica, Christina and Saffron," Alexa said with a slight smile.

"Saffron?" Gabriel raised an eyebrow. "Wait the two of them--"

"Snogged once or twice," Alexa explained. "But they're more like brother and sister and knew that if they got together, they'd probably end up killing each other."

"I was going to say," Gabriel laughed. "The two of them are as different as night and day."

"Yeah," Alexa agreed. "And so shortly after that, he and I got together. Everyone used to wonder what he was doing with me. I even asked myself that."

"They shouldn't wonder that," Gabriel finished the tables. "You're pretty and you're nice- a lot of guys could only be so lucky."

"Thanks," Alexa blushed. "I don't know. It's just that ever since RJ graduated and started doing things with the team, it's like we're not on the same page anymore. And it's not like I want him to spend every single second with me. It's just he's so busy now..."

"I should think if he loved you as much as he says he'd still find time to be with you," Gabriel said as he came back behind the counter again.

Alexa set the broom against the wall. "I don't know. I just don't feel important to him anymore. And I look at someone like Serena Starr..."

"What's so great about her?" Gabriel asked. "I haven't seen a picture of her."

"Try blonde hair, blue-eyes, tall, thin and God's gift to mankind," Alexa said.

"Those types are always so fake," Gabriel replied.

"Try telling that to RJ," Alexa said running her hand through her hair. As she did so, she unknowingly, smudged some flour on her forehead.

Gabriel laughed. "You're making another mess," he teased, trying to get her to smile.

"I am?" she asked. "What did I do now?"

"You must have had flour on your hand," he stepped closer.

"Did I?" she asked. "I'm such a bloody klutz sometimes."

"Here," Gabriel said grabbing a napkin. "I'll get it. You'll only make it worse, Lex."

Alexa felt like a little girl as he wiped the flour off her forehead.

"Did you get it all?" she asked suddenly aware of how close he actually was.

"Yeah," he answered softly.

"Thanks," Alexa whispered as she looked up at him.

Against his own volition, Gabriel's hand lingered on her cheek. Her skin was so soft, he thought as he looked down at her. He's promised himself that he wouldn't do this. She wasn't free.

"Um..." Alexa wanted to pull away but found herself unable to.

Hesitantly, Gabriel brushed his lips against hers.

120. 120

Wow, one little cliffie and you guys are reviewing out of the woodwork ;) Thanks you guys- we were THRILLED at the response to last chapter!

A lot of you are wondering about the wedding- it’s anywhere between 3 and 5 chapters away. You’ll know when it starts ;)

Also, a lot of you guys are really torn between RJ/Lex and Gabe/Lex- which we hope means we’re doing a fair love triangle. Please review and let us know what you think of this one! :D

She closed her eyes, leaning into the kiss.

Gabriel pulled her even closer, his hands snaking around her waist.

Alexa whimpered softly as their kiss grew deeper. Her hands found their way up his chest and into his hair.

"Alexa," he whispered when they broke apart for a second to catch their breath.

"Gabe..." her voice trailed off.

"That was---" Gabriel said still holding her.

"Yeah," Alexa answered softly. "Unexpected would be a really good word..."

"Good unexpected or bad unexpected?" Gabriel asked hopefully.

"I'm not really sure," she admitted shyly.

"I-I shouldn't have done that," he said trying to make her feel more at ease. "I hadn't planned on it..."

"I kissed you back," Alexa looked down.

"I like you," he admitted. "I have for awhile now, but I wasn't going to do anything because I knew you were with RJ and I respected that...until today."

"You like me?" she asked in astonishment.

He smiled at her. "Very much so."

"I didn't know," Alexa confessed shyly.

"I don't want things to be uncomfortable between us," he said tilting her chin up so she'd look at him. "And if you want to forget that this happened, we can..."

"I don't know if I do," Alexa whispered. "I'm really confused now."

"No matter what, we can be friends," Gabriel said softly.

Alexa nodded. "If it wasn't for RJ," she said bashfully. "It's just that... I really do love him Gabe."

"I know," Gabriel said quietly.

"I don't want to hurt you," Alexa told him, suddenly aware that they were still standing in an embrace.

Gabriel nodded and reluctantly let her go. "I'm sorry, Lex."

"I'm sorry too," Alexa felt self conscious now as she quickly finished the rest of the closing duties.

There was a knock on the door to the shop and Gabriel went to answer it. Andrew and Saffron stood outside.

"I know the sign says 'closed'," Saffron said grinning at him. "But you have to let us in!"

"Hey Saf," Alexa said feeling a bit relieved. "Nice timing."

"Hey, Gabe!" Saffron said hugging her cousin. "I didn't know you were going to be here!"

"I've been helping Lex out all day," Gabriel replied.

"Ben called in sick," Alexa explained. "We were short handed and Gabe volunteered."

"RJ should have done that," Andrew teased. "Where is God's Gift to Quidditch, anyway?"

"Athens," Alexa replied dryly.

"With that Serena girl," Gabriel added.

Saffron rolled her eyes. "You're kidding, right?"

"Unfortunately not," Alexa powered down the cash register.

"I pretty much have the place to myself these days," Andrew admitted. "He's always gone."

"I'm sure you love that," Gabriel said to Saffron, who turned red.

"Don't tell my parents," Saffron said still blushing.

"Won't hear it from me," Gabriel grinned at his cousin.

"Saf and I just want to spend as much time together as possible before she goes back to school," Andrew said putting an arm around his girlfriend.

Alexa smiled a little. RJ had been like that until he'd gotten all hung up with Puddlemere.

"So what have you two been up to?" Saffron asked.

"Nothing," Gabriel and Alexa both said in unison.

Saffron gave her best friend a strange look. "I bet you were packed today."

Alexa nodded. "Very much so."

"Do you have any fudge left?" Saffron asked hopefully.

Alexa nodded. "You want chocolate or white chocolate?"

"Both," Saffron followed her into the back. "Okay O'Leary- spill."

"How much do you want?" Alexa asked pointedly ignoring her friend's question.

Saffron crossed her arms. "You can't hide things from me. I'm your best friend for a reason."

Alexa bit her bottom lip. "Well, basically, Gabe sort of um, kissed me and I-I kissed him back."

"WHAT?" Saffron shrieked before clapping a hand over her mouth.

"Saffy!" Alexa hissed.

"Sorry," she apologised.

"It just kind of happened," Alexa said keeping her voice down. "And after RJ called from Athens, I was feeling sort of bad..."

Saffron bit her lower lip. "Was he a good kisser?"

Alexa nodded. "I shouldn't have let it happen, Saffy. I love RJ..."

"But he's been so distant," Saffron finished, putting an arm around her friend.

Tears welled up in Alexa's eyes. "Things are changing so fast between us. He has this new life that I'm not a part of and I don't know where or if I'll ever fit in."

Saffron hugged her. "I'm here for you Lexie. Whenever you need to talk. Do you want me to say something to RJ? Or have Andrew say something?"

Alexa vehemently shook her head. "No."

"Okay," she said. "I'll only say something if you want me to."

"I honestly don't know what to do," Alexa said quietly.

"I knew Gabriel fancied you a bit, but he said he'd never do anything since you were with RJ already," Saffron admitted. "But if you aren't happy with RJ anymore..."

"I love RJ," Alexa said. "We just need to spend some time together, just the two of us. I need to be more understanding about all the time he's been away with the team."

"I think you're being plenty understanding," Saffron said as her friend wrapped up some fudge for her.

"When he called earlier, I sounded every bit like a jealous girlfriend," Alexa said placing the fudge in a box.

"Well he was with that idiot," Saffron said. "And you said she was trying to pull the phone away."

Alexa nodded. "I just feel like we're growing apart."

Saffron hugged her. "I'm sure when he gets back he'll make time for you."

"I wish I could be so sure," Alexa said. "Do you...do you think I should tell him about what happened with Gabe?"

"I'm not sure," Saffron said. "I mean... if you want to come clean then I suppose so."

"I don't know what to do," Alexa said quietly. "About anything---"

"Lex," Saffron hugged her again. "It's all going to work out."

Alexa wished she could be so sure. "Thanks, Saffy. I'm really glad you showed up when you did."

"Kind of interrupted the moment?" she asked.

Alexa nodded. "I didn't even know he fancied me, Saffy. And he's been so great..."

"Well," Saffron began tentatively. "If things don't work out for you and RJ then you'd have Gabe at least... if you wanted that."

Andrew stood in the doorway with Gabriel and he caught what Saffron had just said. Alexa paled.

"H-how long were you guys standing there?" she stammered.

"Long enough," Andrew said quietly.

"Um..." Saffron turned red.

"It wasn't her," Gabriel told Andrew. "It was me. I kissed her. I didn't mean for it to happen..."

"Andrew it's none of our business, really." Saffron said quickly.

"I actually told him he had nothing to worry about with you," Andrew said shaking his head.

"Andrew please don't say anything," Alexa's eyes filled with tears.

"He won't," Saffron said looking pleadingly at her boyfriend. "Right?"

Andrew didn't say anything, only crossed his arms.

"I'll talk to him," Gabriel said. "This only started because of me."

Andrew glared at him. He knew RJ hadn't been around much lately, but Andrew knew RJ loved Alexa more than anything. And he found it hard to believe that Alexa could do this to him.

"Let's go," Saffron cast her boyfriend a murderous look.

"Yeah," Andrew said glaring at Gabriel once more before following Saffron out of the bakery.

"Lex I am so sorry," Gabriel said. "I caused you all this trouble..."

Alexa shook her head. "It wasn't just you. Everything's so messed up."

"I shouldn't have kissed you," Gabriel insisted.

"This isn't your fault," Alexa said softly.

"Maybe I should go," Gabriel said, feeling dejected.

Alexa reached out for his hand. "I'm not angry with you, Gabe. You were such a big help today and you've been such a great friend. And things with RJ are so...I don't know what they are..."

"I'll still be around if you need to talk," he offered. "I'm just sorry I got you in hot water with Andrew."

"Thanks," she said giving him a hug. "I'm sorry, Gabriel."

He nodded. "Guess I'll see you around..."

"Of course," Alexa said. "And thanks again for today."

"Anytime," he said before heading out.

Alexa sank against the counter as the tears flowed down her face. For so long, she'd been in love with RJ and he'd been all that she'd ever wanted. And then Gabriel came along, and everything changed.

*** *** ***

About three weeks prior to Maddie and Ethan's wedding, Frankie threw her best friend a bridal shower. She held it at her house and currently their female friends and family members were in the sitting room as Maddie opened some gifts.

"This one's from me," Frankie said with a wicked grin.

Allison laughed. "Should Julie and I send Caroline, Katie and Ashley out of the room then?"

"No!" the three younger girls cried.

"Mummy I want to stay!" Caroline protested.

"Maybe they could just cover their eyes," Maddie suggested. "Frankie looks like the cat that ate the canary."

"Don't make us wait," Clara teased her.

"Okay," Maddie said taking the card off the top of the package. She blushed when she opened the card. "Frankie!"

The room burst out into collective laughter as Maddie pulled a string of condoms out of the envelope.

Maddie averted her eyes from her future mother-in-law.

"Why's everyone laughing?" Katie asked her older sister. "What are those things?"

"Um..." Ashley was blushing furiously as she looked to her mother for help.

Julie was at a loss for words. "Um, Maddie...how about you open the gift?"

"Right," Maddie said quickly shooting an apologetic look at Hermione.

"She knows the two of you are going to have s-e-x on the honeymoon," Frankie whispered to her best friend.

"I know but I don't want to... shove it in everyone's faces." Maddie was still blushing furiously.

Frankie giggled. "Just open up the present, Madeline."

Maddie tore the wrapping paper back carefully and her jaw dropped open. "Frankie!" she began to giggle.

"The white one is for your wedding night," Frankie said winking at her. "The red one is...well..."

Saffron scrunched up her nose and looked at her mother. "I don't think Julie and I should be here while Maddie opens up things that she's going to use to...with Ethan...."

"Come on Saffy," Frankie laughed at her. "You'll be doing the same thing someday."

"Yes, but this is my brother," Saffron said rolling her eyes. "He's smelly and disgusting and obnoxious."

Hermione laughed. "Saffron Grace!"

"He is," Saffron said giggling. "But at least we get Maddie in the family out of this..."

"Thanks Saffy," Maddie smiled at her. "I appreciate that."

Saffron grinned back at her. "You've always been like a sister to me anyway."

"Again, I guess that makes me chopped liver," Julie teased her sister.

Saffron turned to face her. "You know what I meant, Jules!"

"I know," Julie reassured her.

Frankie giggled as she picked up another present and handed it to Maddie. "This one is from...Smythe."

"Really?" Maddie took it. "That's so sweet of her."

"I'm surprised she's not here," one of Maddie's co-workers said. "I thought for sure she said she'd come."

"She got called in," Maddie explained.

"Let's see what she gave you then," Frankie said as Maddie opened the present.

It was a lovely crystal ball that would glow and bathe the room in a soft light when given the proper incantation.

"That's amazing," Luna said to her daughter. "What a lovely gift!"

"It's quite lovely," Maddie nodded.

"This is from your mum," Frankie said handing her a smaller package. Luna stepped closer to get a better look. She felt tears welling up in her eyes as her daughter opened the small package to reveal a pair of pearl earrings.

"Those were my mother's," Luna explained. "I wore them when I married your father...."

"Oh Mum," Maddie said. "These are so beautiful!"

Drew put an arm around her mother. "Those were really our grandmother's?"

"They were," Luna nodded. "And if you two ever get married you can both wear them as well."

Darla smiled. "Of course, Maddie gets to wear them first. Our baby sister getting married before Drew and me!"

"You just have to get Brian and Hans to propose," Maddie teased her sisters.

Darla frowned. "Brian and Drew are a lot closer than me and Hans."

Maddie chose not to press her sister for information at that time. "I'm sure everything will work out for both of you." she set the earrings aside carefully.

The doorbell rang and Frankie looked at Maddie. "I thought everyone was here."

"I'll get it," Saffron offered.

"Thanks Saffron," Frankie smiled at her.

Saffron headed for the door and opened it to find a dark haired woman standing there. "Can I help you?" she asked.

"I'm here for the bridal shower," the woman said hoisting her gift to Saffron. "I'm not late, am I?"

"Um no but..." Saffron had no choice but to take the gaudily wrapped package.

"Fantastic," the woman said curtly. "By any chance is Harry Potter, here?"

"That's my dad," Saffron raised an eyebrow. "And no he's not here."

The woman frowned, but gave Saffron the once-over. "You look like your mother."

"I know I do," Saffron disliked this woman immediately.

"I'm Parvati," the woman said smiling condescendingly at Saffron. "I'm sure your father has mentioned me. We were each other's first loves..."

"My mother is my father's first love," Saffron interjected.

Parvati laughed. "How sweet! Well, why don't you point me in the direction of the party?"

Saffron silently pointed towards the sitting room where another roar of laughter was heard.

"You tell your father that I asked about him," Parvati said looking over her shoulder at Saffron.

"Whatever," Saffron replied in a cool tone, holding the present by the bow.

Parvati breezed into the sitting room and put on her best smile. "Hello, Madeline!"

"P-Parvati?" Maddie asked in surprise. "What are you doing here?"

"I couldn't miss your little shower of course," Parvati replied. "How darling and... quaint this house is..."

"Thanks," Frankie said standing up. "Um, would you like a drink?"

"Martini, dry." Parvati said with a careless wave of her hand.

"O-okay," Frankie said glaring at her before heading off to the kitchen.

Lavender shot the woman a warning look, but Parvati ignored her.

"I guess I'll just open this one next," Maddie looked at Parvati's gift and tried to pretend to be interested.

Saffron sat back down beside her mother. "That woman is delusional."

"She is a bit strange," Hermione agreed in a whisper.

Saffron rested her head on her mother's shoulder as they watched Maddie open Parvati's gift. Maddie pulled out of the box some sort of figure with what looked to be a shrunken head. It was without a doubt the ugliest thing Maddie had ever seen.

"Wow..." she said forcing a smile.

"It's supposed to ward off evil spirits and make sure your man remains virile," Parvati explained.

"I see..." Maddie looked at Frankie as if asking for assistance of some kind. "Well... thank you..."

"You're quite welcome," Parvati said smugly. "Now, I know that you are inexperienced, Madeline, but if you need any tips..."

"Maddie's not inexperienced," Frankie thrust the martini at Parvati. "And it's no one's business but hers anyhow."

"I didn't mean any offence," Parvati said sweetly. "I'll just take a seat beside my old friend, Cho..."

Cho nearly choked on her drink. "Oh, okay..."

Lavender sat back and crossed her arms and glared at Parvati.

Cho felt more than a little uncomfortable and awkward sitting beside that horrible woman and she tried to focus her attention of Maddie. But, for some odd reason, Parvati was determined to rehash old times.

"This one is from Bree and Sarah," Frankie said handing her friend another gift.

"I wish they could have made it," Maddie replied. "But they had planned to go shopping for Bree's wedding dress today- and it was the only day her whole wedding party could make it."

Frankie nodded and gasped when her friend opened the box to reveal a beautiful white nightgown. "That's gorgeous, Mads."

"It is," Maddie agreed. "Bree has such lovely taste."

"Grandma?" Caroline asked Cho. "Why is Aunt Chi writing down everything Auntie Maddie gets?"

Cho pulled her granddaughter onto her lap. "She's doing that so Maddie knows who gave her what gift and she can send out thank-you notes."

"Oh," Caroline said. "Do you think she'll like my present?"

"I think she'll love it," Cho reassured her. "You and Emma worked really hard on it."

"What did you get her?" Parvati asked the little girl.

"Em and me made her a bracelet and a necklace," Caroline replied.

"Homemade?" Parvati asked. "Really..."

"They worked really hard on them," Cho said glaring at the other woman.

"Are they at least made of crystal?" Parvati asked.

Caroline shook her head. "Mine's made out of seashells and Em made hers out of macaroni."

"Macaroni..." Parvati's tone grew disdainful. "How charming... really."

"Auntie Maddie loves it when we make her stuff," Caroline said softly. "She says we make the bestest presents."

"You do Angel," Cho kissed her granddaughter's head. "And I bet your gift will be one of her favourites."

"Shame her parents couldn't buy her something nice to give to Madeline," Parvati whispered to Cho.

Caroline bit her lower lip as she heard Parvati's words.

"These are from Emma and Caroline," Frankie said holding up the presents.

"Don't open it!" Caroline squealed.

"Why not sweetheart?" Allison asked her daughter.

"Because it's not from the store," Caroline said with a sob. "I'm sorry, Auntie Maddie!"

"Caroline," Maddie got up as Cho shot Parvati a murderous look. "I don't mind if your gifts aren't from the store..."

"Y-you don't?" Caroline asked wiping at her eyes.

"Absolutely not," Maddie replied. "I love it when you and Em make presents. I think they're better than what you get at the store."

Caroline beamed at her as Maddie knelt down and gave her a hug.

"We worked really hard on them," Caroline said softly.

"I can't wait to see what's in there," Maddie stroked her niece's hair back.

"I can't believe you," Cho hissed at Parvati. "You hurt her feelings!"

"Cho she's a little girl," Parvati replied offhandedly.

Cho gaped at her. "You have some nerve..."

"Parvati," Lavender had witnessed this whole discussion. "Can I have a word?"

"Maybe at another time---hey!" Parvati exclaimed as Lavender grabbed her by the arm. "You're hurting me!"

"I wasn't kidding when I said I'd tell everyone about your sabbatical," Lavender hissed when they were in the dining room alone. "How dare you insult that little girl in there?"

Parvati rolled her eyes. "You are blowing this out of proportion, aren't you?"

Lavender glared at her. "You don't want to see me blow something out of proportion."

"Is this because of that whole illegitimate kid thing?" Parvati asked her. "Are you feeling all maternal now because of Seamus having a son?"

"I happen to love Gabriel like he's my own son," Lavender said hotly. "And this has nothing to do with Seamus. I don't know why you're here but if you don't want the world knowing EXACTLY what went on while you were overseas then you sit in there and shut the hell up!"

Parvati folded her arms. "FINE!"

Lavender gave her one last menacing glare before spinning on her heel and marching back out.

Maddie had put on the jewellery her nieces had made her and was busy opening another gift.

"I hope you like it," Drew said to her sister.

"I'm sure I will," Maddie revealed yet another set of lingerie. "This is gorgeous Drew- thank you!"

"The way this is going you'll have something to wear every night of the honeymoon," Drew said with a grin.

Frankie laughed. "I'm still taking you shopping Maddie, so don't think you're getting out of that."

Maddie giggled. "I wouldn't even try, Frankie."

"Mads is really making out," Darla mused to her sister.

"She is," Drew agreed. "You and Hans...everything's okay, right?"

Darla shrugged. "I don't know... lately all we've done is argue."

"That's normal," Drew reassured her. "And you guys always make up..."

"He's not going to be able to come to Maddie's wedding," Darla said quietly.

"Why?" Drew gasped.

"Some big shoot came up," Darla said with a shrug. "You know, he could get away if he really wanted to, but he refused."

"I'm sorry Dar," Drew said softly.

"It's fine," Darla said. "I'll be too busy with the wedding anyway."

"If you and Hans don't work out then you'll find someone else," Drew said reassuringly.

Darla gave a slight smile. "Someone as nice as Brian?"

"If you're lucky," Drew smiled at her. "I think I'm really lucky."

"You deserve it," Darla said giving her a hug. "It's good to see you happy."

"Ethan's going to love that one," Frankie's voice interrupted their discussion.

"I think he's going to like all of these actually," Maddie said blushing.

"He'll probably drool all over you," Saffron said. "Ethan's not known for his maturity."

"Saffy!" Maddie said giggling. "Your brother is very mature."

"Yeah right," Saffron was laughing.

"Like you are whenever you see Andrew?" Julie teased her. "I've never seen anyone giggle so much as you do when you're on the phone with him or he comes over."

"Jules, I do not," Saffron said defensively.

"You do," Lavender agreed. "You turn into a complete girly girl."

"Well he's so cute," Saffron blushed. "I can't help myself."

"I was the same way about your father, Sally," Parvati chimed in. "He used to make me go weak in the knees..."

"My name is Saffron," she said, her smile dropping. "And the only one that made my dad go weak in the knees is my mum."

"I hate to break it to you, Saffron," Parvati said smugly. "But your father got around before he settled with your mother..."

"Parvati---" Lavender hissed.

Parvati looked over at her and straightened up, snapping her mouth shut.

"This last present is from Hermione," Frankie said handing Maddie an envelope.

"Oh!" Maddie said eagerly. She opened it up to reveal a gift card for a weekend spa trip for the entire bridal party. "Hermione..."

"I want this to be the happiest time of your life," Hermione smiled at her. "I've always thought of you as a daughter Maddie."

Maddie stood up and gave her a big hug. "Thank you so much!"

“You’re very welcome,” Hermione hugged her back.

”Cool!” Saffron examined the card. “This means I get to go too!”

Julie laughed and tugged on her sister's plait. "That's the most important thing."

"Do Katie and Caroline I get to go, too?" Ashley asked shyly.

"I suppose you would," Julie replied thoughtfully. "I mean... you're technically part of the wedding party as well."

"Absolutely," Maddie agreed. "I want all three of my junior bridesmaids there with me."

"Yay!" Caroline and Katie squealed. Katie grabbed the card from Saffron and scanned over a description of what the spa weekend would entail. "Oooooh, look Caroline! They do Magic Mud!"

"Magic Mud?" Caroline exclaimed delightedly. "Real Magic Mud?"

Luna laughed. "You'll have to bring some of that back for your Grandpa Ron, Caroline."

"He only lets me put it on," Caroline said proudly.

Maddie laughed. "You're the only one who could get him to put it on, Caroline."

Frankie grinned. "This is going to be so much fun!"

"When should I be there?" Parvati chimed in. "I'd like to go ahead and pencil it in my calendar..."

"It's for the wedding party only," Hermione interjected. "I'm sorry Parvati."

"Oh," Parvati said frowning. "Of course..."

"I heard there are some wonderful spas in Amsterdam," Lavender said sweetly.

Parvati scowled at the blonde. "I wouldn't know, Lavender."

"I'm sure," Lavender gave her an icy glare. "In fact, there's one right next to a well known strip club--"

"You know, I actually have some place I need to be," Parvati said hastily. "Thank you, Madeline for inviting me. It was a lovely shower."

"Well... thank you for coming," Maddie said lamely. "And for the... lovely gift."

"You're quite welcome," Parvati said before beating a hasty retreat out of the house.

"What on earth was that all about?" Hermione asked her cousin.

"Let's just say, Miss Patil and I have a certain understanding," Lavender said evasively.

"Thank you, all of you." Maddie said. "I really appreciate everyone's thoughtfulness."

"My baby girl is getting married," Luna said proudly.

"To my obnoxious smelly brother," Saffron laughed.

"And that's coming from his bratty baby sister," Julie teased.

"Hey!" Saffron nudged her.

"She's just waiting to tell everyone how well she did on her O.W.L.S.," Julie said. "Go ahead....brag, Saffy..."

"Mum already did," Saffron said with a huge grin.

"I heard a nasty rumour that she did better than you and Ethan," Drew joked.

"Best out of all of us I'm afraid," Julie hugged her sister around the shoulders. "If I wasn't so proud I'd be jealous."

"Thanks, Julie," Saffron said grinning at her.

"Speaking of Hogwarts, any idea on who's going to be the next Headmaster?" Maddie asked.

"No one's said a word to us yet," Julie replied. "They really wanted Dad but he turned them down."

"The term starts in a few weeks," Maddie said thoughtfully. "They'd better pick someone soon."

"I agree," Julie said. "Otherwise Snape will be unbearable, especially to Gryffindors."

"As if he needs any excuse," Saffron muttered. "I don't see why HE doesn't retire."

"Snape will never retire," Frankie said dryly. "He'll make students' lives miserable until the day he dies."

"Says the girl who once told him he should really consider sunbathing since he was so pale," Allison said causing the room to erupt into laughter.

"You did?" Saffron asked.

"I did," Frankie said. "Earned me a month's detention but it was worth it."

Saffron giggled. "I have to tell Alexa about that!"

"I've got nothing on Jon I'm afraid," Frankie sat back down. "He made Snape dance once and he's never told anyone how he did it."

"I need to talk to Jon," Saffron said. "Allie, do you know?"

"He won't even tell me Saf," Allison replied.

"Maybe you should try and get Aunt Maddie to ask Daddy," Caroline suggested. "Daddy says when she was my age she could just look at you and you'd do anything she asked."

Maddie laughed. "The only one that didn't work on was Ethan."

"Not anymore," Frankie said. "He's no longer immune..."

"Not at all," Maddie said with a grin. "Oh Merlin I can't believe I'm getting married in three weeks!"

"Madeline Weasley Potter," Hermione said grinning at her future daughter-in-law. "That has a lovely ring to it."

"That it does," Luna agreed. "Your father's going to be a right basket case."

"He and I both," Hermione said. "My little man is getting married."

"Little man," Saffron giggled. "He hates it when I call him that."

"He used to love it," Julie said fondly.

"I think it's only when Aunt Saffy calls him that," Ashley said, plunking herself down on the sofa.

"I'm going to start calling him that," Katie said with a sly grin.

"He might get angry," Ashley cautioned.

"Not to me," Katie said smugly.

"You will not call your uncle that," Julie replied. "Katherine Rose you know better."

"Okay," Katie said grumpily. "Fine!"

Julie looked back at Chiaki and rolled her eyes slightly.

"Come on, Katie," Ashley said. "How about we go and get another piece of cake?"

Julie knew her oldest was trying to play peacemaker these days and she smiled. "I think that sounds like a lovely idea Ash."

"Okay," Katie said getting to her feet. She followed her sister into the kitchen.

"At least Ashley's trying," Saffron commented.

"That she is," Julie replied as Caroline headed for some cake as well. "It's actually been a lot more peaceful these days."

"Maybe they're outgrowing it," Hermione said.

"We can only pray," Julie deadpanned.

Frankie made her way over to Luna. "I'm sorry I haven't been around much to help you with the decorating project. I promise after the wedding you will have my undivided attention."

"I understand," Luna reassured her. "And Ron and I are so thankful for your help."

"It's my pleasure," Frankie said. "I admire you for doing what you're doing. I don't think I could do something like that."

"It's not going to be easy but I can't bear not having children around," Luna replied. "And these children are so needy- I couldn't sit by and not do anything at all."

Frankie nodded. "Mum said you were experiencing a bit of the old 'empty nest'."

"She's lucky she still has the dance studio," Luna said.

"She doesn't ever want to give that up and she loves having Chiaki and Allie there too," Frankie said.

"Grandma," Caroline tugged Luna's shirt. "I brought you some cake."

"Thanks, sweetheart," Luna said taking the plate from her granddaughter. "That was very sweet of you."

"I'll make sure to make a big plate for Emma," Frankie said. "I hate that she couldn't be here."

"Mummy thought it might be too much for her," Caroline recited.

Frankie laughed. "Your mummy was probably right."

"She's helping Daddy at the pub," Caroline said. "But I wanted to come here."

"I'm glad you did," Luna said grinning at her. "And I love the necklace you made for Maddie."

Caroline beamed. "I worked really hard on it."

"I'd love it if you'd make one for me," Frankie said. "I'm jealous of Maddie for having one."

"I'll make one tonight!" Caroline said. "I'll make it really pretty for you Aunt Frankie."

"Thanks, Caroline," Frankie said smiling at her. "I cannot wait to see it."

"Where's Uncle Will today?" Caroline couldn't resist asking.

"He went flying with Ethan, Justin and Brian," Frankie replied. "They were going to try and play Quidditch."

"Do you think he might come home before I have to leave?" Caroline asked hopefully.

"He might," Frankie said. "I know he'd hate it if he missed you."

The little girl's face lit up in a grin as she ran back into the kitchen.

"Caroline's got a bit of a crush," Frankie explained to Luna.

"I figured as much," Luna said with a laugh. "It's about like how Emma is with Gabriel."

"It's really sweet," Frankie said. "Will's so great with all the kids."

"You're quite good, too," Luna commented. "Emma, Caroline, Mas and Sukie adore you."

"I guess," Frankie replied. "I suppose it's because I'm not a mother."

"Well, when you and Will decide to start your own family, I'm sure you're going to be a great Mum," Luna said smiling at her. Frankie only nodded wondering why everyone seemed to think this about her. She wasn't the maternal type and she honestly didn't know if she ever would be.

The shower went on for another few hours before most of the guests took their leave. Despite Frankie's protests, Maddie stayed after to help her friend clean up.

"Thank you again Frankie," Maddie said. "This was such an amazing day."

Frankie smiled. "It really was, well except for the Parvati thing."

"I don't know why she came," Maddie shook her head. "That woman is bizarre."

"I wonder if perhaps she's related to Alicia," Frankie said thoughtfully. "Talk about two birds of a feather."

Maddie giggled. "Let's not ever get them together."

"Deal," Frankie said waving her wand at a couple of dishes.

"Is it safe to come in here now?" Will asked from the doorway. He was standing with Ethan and both of them had their hands over their eyes.

"Yes, you goofball," Frankie said laughing. "How was flying?"

"Great," Ethan answered. "How'd you make out Mads?"

"Fantastic," Maddie said going over to give him a kiss. "And your mum is sending the entire bridal party to a spa."

"Even me?" Ethan asked. "Oh, I simply MUST get a facial before I walk down the aisle!" he said in a falsetto tone, making Will laugh.

Maddie hit him playfully in the arm. "No, Little Man. You don't get the spa treatment."

Frankie snorted at the expression on Ethan's face. "Little man eh?"

Ethan groaned. "I thought we all agreed that we wouldn't call me that once I passed the age of nine."

"I really hope Maddie doesn't call you that on your honeymoon," Frankie cracked.

Ethan scowled at her. "Okay, Frankie. How about we tell Will about your voyeurism days at Hogwarts?"

"What's this?" Will asked his wife.

"Nothing," Frankie said hastily. "How about you tell us more about your game?"

"It was just a pickup game really," Will shrugged. "Got any food left from the party? We're starving."

"Yes," Frankie said. "There's some cake and a few appetizers left over."

"Did RJ show up?" Maddie asked. "He said he might stop by."

Ethan shook his head. "We didn't hear a word from him."

"The team's really taken to him," Frankie reported.

Maddie gave a slight smile. "Yeah, but he seems to be pretty much nonexistent these days."

"I'll tell him to take a few days off before training begins," Frankie replied.

"As if he'd listen to you," Ethan said. "Frankie...he's 18 and thinks he can do no wrong right about now. All he cares about is hanging out with the team."

"Yes but I'm the PR manager for the team," Frankie said smugly. "I can make any of them listen to me."

"You can?" Ethan asked. "Like how?"

"I can make or break a team member's reputation," Frankie replied. "Not that I necessarily would... but I can."

"As long as you look out for him," Maddie said. "This is all so new to him and I'm sure it can be a bit overwhelming. And he...well, he showed up at our flat this morning wanting us to brew him up a hangover potion. He looked like shite."

"I'll tell the guys to lay off a bit," Frankie promised.

"Thanks, Frankie," Maddie said in relief.

"I'll look out for him," Frankie said. "He's a good kid."

"I hope he stays that way," Maddie said.

"Yeah right," Ethan joked with his mouth full.

"Ethan, don't you care about your future brother-in-law's well-being?" Maddie asked.

"Of course I do," Ethan replied.

Maddie relaxed a bit. "I'm sorry. I just want him to be okay."

"At least that one girl isn't around him anymore," Will replied. "The girl that gave him the love potion."

"Don't even get me started on her," Maddie said angrily. "Ethan had to stop me from seeking retaliation when I heard about what she tried to do."

"Mads was really pissed," Ethan nodded. "And I've never seen Ron so angry in my life."

Frankie smiled. There were many things she admired about the Weasley family, but the best thing about them was how if you messed with one, you messed with the whole family.

"I think you should be worried about what happens when we play the Cannons," Frankie said. "RJ's going to want to cripple Paul."

"We all want to cripple Paul," Maddie replied.

"Remind me never to piss you off," Ethan said putting an arm around his fiancée.

"Impossible," Maddie's face changed to a sweet smile as she gave him a kiss.

"Madeline Molly," he said smiling at her.

"You two are so sickeningly sweet," Frankie commented.

"You're the same way with Will," Maddie pointed out.

"She's my girl," Will made his wife squeal as he picked her up in his arms.

"William!" Frankie exclaimed. "Put me down!"

"No way," Will grinned at her in his typical irresistible way. "This is the first time I've spent more than five minutes with you all week."

"This is our cue to leave," Ethan said grabbing some more food and putting it on his plate. "Come on, Mads."

"Let's take some of this to go," Maddie said. "Then we don't have to make dinner tonight."

"Sounds like a good idea," Ethan said. "And get some for Blue, too."

"Wouldn't dream of leaving him out," Maddie giggled. "Thanks again for everything today Frankie. You're the best."

"You're welcome, Maddie!" Frankie called out over Will's shoulder as he carried her to their bedroom.

"We shrunk down most of the gifts," Maddie told Ethan. "Easier to carry that way."

"Do I get to see what you got?" Ethan tried to peek into a bag but she slapped his hand away.

"Not until the honeymoon," she said firmly.

"Oooh," Ethan sent her a charming grin.

"But I think you'll be very satisfied," Maddie said grinning back at him.

"I already know I will be," Ethan gave her a kiss.

"Let's go home," she said softly.

"Sounds good to me," Ethan helped her gather the rest of the gifts and he took the leftover food in his hand. "I plan to spend the rest of the evening with you on a sofa."

Maddie smiled. "That sounds perfect to me."

121. 121

Authors' note: Thanks guys for the reviews---we're glad that you are enjoying the story---even with the cliffies. You get to see more of Darla Weasley this chapter and her relationship with Hans. More Alexa/RJ/Gabe drama and a sweet fluffy scene with Jon/Allie and their girls. Please read and let us know what you think.

Darla vigorously chopped the vegetables on the cutting board, cursing under her breath. She was at Hans' flat cooking dinner for her parents and Drew and Brian and he had yet to show up. Apparently, he was detained on the photo shoot and had promised to be there as soon as he could. But, this just seemed to be happening more and more.

She'd had such high hopes for tonight, too. She wanted her parents to get to know Hans and to like him as much as they liked Brian.

"Hallo?" Darla heard her sister's voice. "Dar- you here? Hans?"

"Just me," Darla called out. "I'm in the kitchen!"

"Where's Hans?" Drew asked as Brian followed her in.

"Who the hell knows," Darla said pouring the vegetables in the pot. "And he didn't even clean up the place like he promised..."

"It's okay Dar," Drew put a hand on her sister's arm. "I'll help you out all right?"

Brian pulled his wand from his pocket. "I'll tidy up the sitting room."

"Thanks," Darla said smiling at him. "I'm so glad you guys are here. Mum and Dad will be here any minute."

"You're really worried about them liking Hans aren't you," Drew asked her.

Darla nodded. "Tell me that tonight's going to be perfect and that I have no reason to worry Drew."

"You have no reason to worry," Drew reassured her. "Come on you know how charming Hans can be."

"Not so much lately," Darla said turning her attention back to the stove.

"Things still tense between you both?" Drew took over chopping the vegetables.

Darla nodded and poured herself a glass of wine. "I don't think we're on the same page."

"I'm sorry to hear that," Drew said. "I guess that I'm just so happy with Brian that I want everyone else to feel this way."

"If anyone deserves happiness, it's you," Darla told her sister. "You've been through so much."

"I still think about Hope a lot," Drew said softly.

"How's your counselling going?" Darla asked. "I'm sorry that I haven't asked that much about it..."

"Good," Drew nodded. "It's helped a lot to talk to someone neutral about everything that happened."

Darla smiled. "I'm so proud of you."

"Thanks Dar," Drew hugged her twin. "I wouldn't have gotten through any of it without you."

"That's what I'm here for," Darla said. The doorbell chimed and Brian called out that he would get it.

"That'll be Mum and Dad," Darla said. She looked at her watch. "Bloody, sodding Hans!"

"Relax," Drew replied. "I'm sure they'll understand and I bet he shows up any minute."

Darla nodded and checked the stove before following her sister out of the kitchen.

"There's my girls," Ron said proudly. "Don't you two look lovely?"

"Thanks Dad," Drew hugged him. "I've missed you."

"Hello Brian," Luna said giving him a hug. "Nice to see you again."

"You too," Brian kissed her cheek. "You look quite lovely tonight."

"Thank you," Luna said smiling at him.

Ron looked around the sitting room. "Well, where is the model?"

"Um, he's detained," Darla replied. "But he should be here any minute."

"Nice place," Ron mused. "Bigger than I thought."

"It's a studio flat," Darla said. "He just moved in a couple of months ago. He had flatmates before, but now he's on his own."

"I see," Ron looked at a few pictures Hans had on his walls.

"Darla, is this you?" Ron asked holding up a picture of his daughter in a bikini. "You're practically naked!"

"Daddy!" Darla pulled it away and blushed. "He was supposed to put that away..." she shoved it in a drawer.

"You saw her in that same suit in Brighton," Drew pointed out.

"Still," Ron shook his head. "What's wrong with a nice one piece- or one of those skirts?"

Drew giggled. "If she was sixty, sure..."

"Ron," Luna put a hand on his arm. "What's for dinner sweetheart?" she chose a subject that she knew would occupy her husband's mind.

"Beef stew," Darla replied. "I'm going to go and check on it. Can I get you something to drink?"

"Beer," Ron replied. "Perhaps I can come have a taste of your stew..."

"Sure," Darla said. "Just this way, Dad..."

Ron followed her like an eager puppy, making Brian laugh.

"So tell me some more about this young man of yours," Ron said conversationally.

"Right now I'm not so sure I want him," Darla muttered.

"What was that?" Ron asked as he pulled a spoon from the drawer.

"Nothing," Darla replied. "I just wish he'd gotten here by now."

"You know he's probably intimidated by me," Ron said with a grin.

Darla finally smiled. "You're not so intimidating Daddy."

"I'm very intimidating," Ron said shooting her his most menacing stare. "I helped Harry take down You-Know-Who, you know."

"Of course," Darla giggled. "That makes you very frightening."

"I 'suppose I should have taken lessons from Nev," Ron said before sampling the stew. "Darla, this is fantastic!"

"Thanks," Darla grinned. "Drew helped me."

The front door opened and Hans walked through looking completely taken aback at having guests.

"Drew---Mrs. Weasley---Brian," he said. "What are you guys doing here?"

Darla sucked in a breath. "Hans..." she said through clenched teeth. "We're having dinner tonight remember?"

Hans pulled a confused face. "Was that tonight?"

"Yes," Darla crossed her arms as she stared at her boyfriend.

Hans forced a smile. His clothes were rumpled and he looked knackered. "I should probably freshen up. I didn't realise we were having guests tonight. If you'll excuse me..."

"I'll be right back," Darla said. "Make yourselves comfortable."

Hans threw his bag on the bed and began unbuttoning his shirt. All he wanted to do was take a nice shower and go to sleep.

"How could you be late tonight?" Darla hissed. "Hans I reminded you about this yesterday!"

Hans threw his shirt on the bed. "News flash, Dar. I have a life outside of you and your family."

"I know that," Darla rolled her eyes. "But I really want you to get to know my parents better Hans. I don't think that's too much to ask!"

"Okay, Darla," Hans said with a sigh. "Let's get this over with..."

"Don't be like that," Darla said angrily. "Don't act as if this is some big chore."

"I was up at the crack of dawn," he said trying not to yell. "The bloke in costuming had the wrong bloody sizes and we had to wait hours for the bloody sun to come up to get the damn shot, Darla. I'm knackered and hungry and all I want to do is go to bed. So, right now, this is a chore."

"Having dinner is a chore, right," she said sarcastically. "Hans I don't ask you for much. I don't even care that you have women crawling all over you every time we go out. But you know how I am with my family!"

"And I said I'd play the dutiful boyfriend," Hans said grabbing a fresh shirt from the closet and putting it on.

"I know how you are when you're in a strop." Darla snapped. "You'll be all sullen at dinner and not talk to anyone."

"I'll talk to everyone," Hans said. "Come on. They're going to think it's strange that we're back here."

"Whatever," Darla pushed past him.

"Everything okay?" Luna asked her daughter.

"I suppose," Darla glared at her boyfriend. "Come on- the stew should be ready by now."

"We were just looking at your book," Drew said from the sofa where she sat in between Brian and Ron. "These are some really great pictures, Hans."

"Thanks," Hans grabbed himself a beer from the icebox. "Can I get anyone anything?"

"No, we're all set," Luna said. "You have a really nice home, Hans. Darla said you'd only been here a couple of months?"

"Right," Hans nodded. "Just moved in even though I'm hardly ever here."

Darla snorted earning a glare from Hans.

"What sort of photo shoot did you have today?" Drew asked.

"Bathing suit ad," Hans said. "Bloody costume director didn't have what he needed and that's why it took all day."

Ron nodded. "That's how I feel at the shop when our supplier doesn't come through."

"It's ridiculous," Hans pulled back on his beer. "Sometimes this business can be rubbish."

"You ever think of doing anything else?" Ron asked.

"I've been modelling since I was 12," Hans replied.

"Shite," Ron said. Luna hit him on the arm. "Ow!"

"Here we are," Darla said, serving everyone and saving Hans for last.

"You outdid yourself, sweetheart," Ron said putting his napkin on his lap. "I cannot wait to tuck in!"

"This does smell fantastic," Brian agreed. "You two are excellent cooks."

Drew grinned. "In the Weasley family, we know how to do two things---cook and eat."

Luna laughed. "That's one thing I learned early on."

"And I hear that the ceremony's going to have a great caterer," Brian said.

"Hans, you won't be shooting too many swimsuit ads after you eat that food," Ron said.

"I thought Darla told you," Hans said quietly. "I'm not going to be able to make it to Maddie's wedding."

"You're not?" Ron asked. "But... but I thought--"

"I'm sorry," Hans said apologetically. "But it's a really big account. I can't get out of it."

"It would be very difficult to try," Darla said shortly.

"Darla--" Hans said glaring at her.

Darla glared evenly at him and returned her attention to her dinner.

"At least you'll get to come with us to RJ's first match, right?" Luna asked.

"I'll certainly try," Hans replied.

"We're having a really big dinner for him at my parents' afterwards," Ron said. "Win or lose."

"All right," Hans said. "I promise I'll really try to be there. When is it again?"

"September sixteenth," Darla replied. "Noon."

"I'll mark it in," Hans said.

"Like you did tonight?" Darla couldn't stop herself from asking.

"Come on Dar," Drew said softly.

"This is really delicious," Luna said wanting to head off any arguments. "And I love these rolls. Fresh-baked bread has to be one of my most favourite things in the entire world."

"I agree," Ron replied. "I'd like to take some of this home."

"I got them from the O'Leary's Bakery," Darla said glaring at Hans.

"No wonder they're so good," Ron grinned. "I could live in that bakery."

"You practically do," Luna teased. "I think Karen O'Leary has a stalker."

At the confused look on Hans' face, Drew decided to fill him in. "You remember Alexa, right? RJ's girlfriend? Her mother owns a bakery and Dad has practically given RJ permission to marry Alexa on that alone."

"Oh yeah," Hans said. "Now I remember."

"What can you tell us about your family, Hans?" Luna asked conversationally. "I know Darla told me your mother's a nurse...."

"My dad's in sales," Hans replied. "They live near Dover now."

"And do you have any brothers or sisters?" Luna asked.

"Only child," Hans shook his head.

"No one else to blame when you're in trouble," Brian joked. "You're the only suspect."

Hans grinned. "I was perfect," he joked. "Never got into trouble."

"Sounds a bit like Jon," Drew said giggling. "Right, Darla? He was never guilty, either."

"Never," Darla relaxed. "Always tried to pass the blame onto Josh."

"Who was the perfect son," Drew said rolling her eyes. "Never did a bloody thing wrong."

"The two of you never really got into trouble," Luna said thoughtfully.

"Except when I kicked Maddie's pixie cage," Drew reminded her.

"You threw a fit about wanting to move back from Ireland," Darla recalled. "That was the summer we spent that month at Hillsdale."

"And the two of you used to be so slow," Ron said with a chuckle. "It used to drive me crazy."

At that moment, Hans couldn't stop himself from letting out a large, rather loud yawn.

The smile on Darla's face fell as her parents regarded her boyfriend.

"I hope we're not boring you," Ron joked.

"I'm sorry," Hans apologised. "I've just been up since the crack of dawn."

"I think I'll just go and get you another beer, Dad," Darla said eager to get away from Hans for a moment before she said something she'd regret.

"Thanks Dar," Ron said.

"I'd like one too," Hans said. "If you don't mind..."

Darla ignored him but shot him what could only be described as a death glare as she made her way into the kitchen.

The rest of the dinner went by in much the same manner with Darla barely speaking to her boyfriend at all.

"Thank you both so much for a lovely evening," Luna said clutching the leftover food basket Darla had packed for her.

"I'm glad you could make it," Darla hugged her mother.

"Darla are you going to go home with Brian and me or are you going to stick around here?" Drew asked.

"It's probably not worth sticking around," Darla reached for her bag while still ignoring Hans.

"I'd really like it if you'd stay, Darla," Hans said quietly. "I think we need to talk."

Darla feigned shock. "You mean you'll actually stay awake for little old me?"

"Come on, Luna," Ron said ushering his wife toward the door. "We should probably get going."

"Us too," Brian said hastily. "You ready, Drew?"

"Sure," Drew replied quickly. "I'll see you later Dar. Thanks again, both of you. Dinner was wonderful."

Hans nodded and closed the door behind their guests. Slowly, he turned around, trying to choose his words very carefully. "Thank you for staying behind."

Darla shrugged as she tossed her long hair back.

"I am sorry for being late and forgetting about the dinner," Hans continued. "Things have been really crazy lately for both of us."

"You can say that again," Darla crossed her arms.

"I don't like there being this atmosphere between us," he said. "It seems like everything I do or say lately is wrong and I don't know what you want..."

"I just want..." Darla thought for a moment. "I want things to be the way they were when we first got together. Lately it seems like you're too busy to do anything with me at all."

"You know this is one of the busiest times of the year for me," he told her. "And if this is about your sister's wedding..."

"It's about everything Hans," Darla replied. "We just aren't happy with each other anymore."

"What are you saying?" he asked her. "You think we should break up?"

"I don't know," she said softly.

"Do you still love me?" he asked her point-blank.

"Yes," she answered.

He smiled and approached her. "Nothing has to change then. We can just keep going on like we are and just make more time for each other."

"You think so?" Darla asked. "You think it'll be that easy?"

"Why do you want to make it hard?" Hans asked. "Come on. After your sister's wedding, everything will just work itself out. I'll have a few weeks off and we can go on holiday."

"I don't want to make things hard," Darla said. "I'm just trying to be realistic here."

"And I'm not?" he asked her shaking his head. "It's like one step forward and two steps back with you."

"Sounds to me as if you're the one who wants to break up," Darla returned coolly.

Hans stepped away from her and let out a groan of frustration. "I'm the one who wants to make this work and you're the one who says that I'm not being realistic! Darla, I don't need this now, okay?"

Anger made her eyebrows snap together and she gave him a steely glare. "If you don't need this now then you don't need me."

"That's not what I meant and you know it," he said angrily.

"It sure sounded like it," Darla shot back.

"Look, I entertained your parents and your sister tonight," Hans said trying to keep his emotions in check. "I didn't act like I was in a strop and I more than held my own end of the conversation. The moment I walked in here, you were determined to pick a fight. Well, I hope you're happy, Dar. Mission accomplished."

"I was pissed off because I bloody reminded you about tonight and you blew it off and forgot!" Darla exclaimed.

"I didn't blow it off," he argued.

"You walked in and had NO idea that we were all meeting!" she snapped.

"If I had blown it off, I would have just crashed in my bedroom," he told her.

"Part of me wishes you had," Darla grabbed her bag. "I'm out of here."

"Fine," Hans retorted. "Go!"

"I will," Darla stomped out of his flat, slamming the door behind her.

She Apparated back to her flat and was surprised she'd didn't splinch herself with how angry she was.

Drew and Brian were snogging on the sofa and both looked up in surprise when Drew stalked into the sitting room.

"Darla?" Drew asked.

"He's such a jerk!" Darla fumed. "An absolute wanker!"

Brian and Drew exchanged knowing glances as Darla began to pace in front of the sofa.

"Did you guys break up?" Drew asked.

"I guess you could say that," Darla threw her bag down. "He's so bloody inconsiderate!"

Drew looked at Brian. "Do you mind if we call it a night, Brian?"

He shook his head. "Not at all. I'll owl you tomorrow, okay?"

"Thanks," Drew said gratefully. She walked him to the door and gave him a kiss. "Love you."

"Love you too," Brian said. "Night, Darla."

"Bye Brian," Darla replied. Once he'd left she looked at her twin. "He didn't have to leave."

"I think he knew we needed some sister time," Drew said sitting down on the sofa. "Come on...tell me what happened."

"Things have just really been falling apart between us lately," Darla sat down next to her. "Every time I want us to do something he's got an excuse about how busy he is."

"You've both been working really hard," Drew said thoughtfully.

"And it really shows," Darla said remorsefully.

Drew gave her sister a hug. "Maybe you should just give it a night...and then tomorrow you two can talk and everything will be okay."

"I don't want to see him for awhile," Darla shook her head. "I think it's good if he and I spend some time apart."

"Darla---"

"I mean it," Darla said. "I don't even want to look at him."

Drew nodded. "So...I guess this calls for the Weasley Break-up plan...double chocolate fudge ice cream..."

Darla smiled. "We didn't exactly have dessert did we?"

"Nope," Drew said. "And we still have some of those biscuits you like so much, too."

"Thanks Drew," Darla said. "You're the best."

Drew squeezed her hand. "What are sisters for?"

"In our case, not for fighting," Darla grinned at her. "We never really had a rivalry, not even with Mad Dog."

"We had our fair share of rows though," Drew said. "Especially when you kept borrowing my things and forgetting where you put them."

Darla laughed. "Or when you hogged the bathroom..."

"Do you remember how mad we used to make Josh and Jon?" Drew laughed.

"It was so much fun," Darla felt a lot better as she giggled with her sister.

"And I'm so glad we moved back here," Drew said. "Being around everyone again...it's been so good for both of us."

"It really has," Darla reached for her twin's hand. "Especially for you. Brian's such a great guy Drew- I'm really glad you found someone like him."

"He is," Drew agreed. "And you and Hans...well, I hope everything works out for the best, Dar."

"There's plenty of other fish in the sea," Darla shrugged. "Now where's that ice cream?"

*** *** ***

It had been a few days since Alexa and Gabriel had kissed and she hadn't spoken to him since then. She also hadn't seen RJ due to the time he was spending with his team.

Every time she thought about what had happened in the bakery a tremendous amount of guilt would well up inside her. RJ was around beautiful women like Serena Starr nearly every day yet he had no problems remaining faithful to her.

She decided to arm herself with some fresh pastries and head over there one morning when she knew for certain RJ would be home.

RJ was currently sleeping off another wild night with the team. He really shouldn't be doing this when the opening match was a few weeks away, but it was hard to say no to his team mates. He heard a chiming sound, but he figured it was just a remnant of last night and grabbed a pillow and pulled it over his head.

Alexa didn't really know what to say when Andrew answered the door. Saffron had told her that he promised not to say anything to RJ but she didn't want her best friend's boyfriend to hate her.

"Hey," Andrew said quietly.

"Hi," Alexa said softly. "Can I um... can I come in?"

"RJ's still asleep," Andrew said standing back so she could come in.

"I figured he would be," she answered, setting her basket down. "Andrew... um..."

"I didn't say anything to him about you and Gabriel," Andrew interjected.

"I know," Alexa said quickly. "And I'm going to tell him about it. The whole thing was a mistake."

"I was just as mad at him when that whole thing happened with Christina," Andrew told her. "He would never have done something like that to you without her interfering like she did. He loves you and if you don't---"

"I love him," Alexa said. "I love him very, very much."

Andrew nodded. "I-I should get out of here. I have a practise match this morning."

"I don't want you to hate me," Alexa said softly.

"I don't hate you," he said regarding her. "I'm just looking out for RJ. You've been a good friend to me, Alexa."

"Thanks Andrew," Alexa chanced a small smile at him.

Andrew nodded and grabbed his bag. "Good luck, Lex."

"Thanks," Alexa watched him leave before heading for RJ's bedroom.

He was still fast asleep, the pillow over his head. A fresh wave of guilt came over her as she looked at him. She set the box of pastries on his bedside table and gingerly sat down on the edge of the bed. Gently, she touched his shoulder.

"Humph," was his muffled response.

"RJ," she whispered. "RJ it's me..."

Alexa lifted the pillow and tossed it aside.

"Lexie?" he grumbled.

"Wake up," she smiled at him. "I have breakfast for you."

He turned over on his side and opened one eye to look at her. A goofy grin came over his handsome features. "An angel of mercy..."

"I've almost forgotten what you look like," she ran her fingers through his rumpled hair.

He grabbed her arm and pulled her down on the bed with him. He could only imagine what his breath smelled like, so he avoided her mouth, but that didn't stop him from nuzzling her neck.

Alexa sighed contentedly. "I've missed this."

"How about this?" he asked, his hand snaking around her waist.

"Even better," Alexa pushed his red hair out of his eyes.

"I like waking up like this," RJ said his voice still scratchy from sleep. "Reminds me of those mornings in my room at school..."

"Before we got caught," Alexa snuggled in closer and internally debated on whether or not she wanted to ruin this bit of time they were managing to spend together.

"I need to go brush my teeth," he said reluctantly pulling away from her. "And probably take a shower. You could join me if you like..."

"Smartarse," she said. "I'll get everything ready to eat."

"Okay," he said kissing her forehead. "I'll make it quick."

"All right," Alexa watched him go before heading into the kitchen.

A few minutes later, she'd made a fresh pot of coffee and set out the pastries on a large plate. She was thumbing through that day's paper when RJ came into the room. His hair was still wet from his shower and he wore a t-shirt and boxer shorts.

"All fresh and clean," he said grinning at her. "Just as you like me."

"I like you pretty much any way," Alexa's heart thumped at the sight of him. Despite not spending a lot of time with him these days, she still loved him so much.

"I've missed you," he said taking her arm and pulling her close. "I'm sorry about not being around much lately. I'm going to make it up to you starting today."

Alexa didn't say a word, only pressed her lips to his.

He ran his hands through her hair enjoying being with her again. This was so much more fun than being with the blokes on the team, he thought. "Merlin..."

"I need this RJ," she said breathlessly. "I need you..."

RJ lifted her up onto the counter. "I need you too..."

She was wearing a skirt and he slipped his hand underneath it, stroking her smooth legs. Alexa wound her arms around his neck and kissed him fiercely.

He wasn't sure what was different about her today, but he wasn't complaining. It had been so long since they'd been together like this and he needed to be close to her. "I love you so much, Lexie."

"I love you too," she answered softly. "More than anything else RJ."

RJ's hand went higher on her thigh. "Lexie..."

"Yes..." she hissed.

He pressed his forehead to hers. "I want to be with you," he whispered.

"Me too," she answered, running her hands through his damp hair.

"Yeah?" he asked hopefully.

"Yeah," Alexa said nervously. It was now or never, she decided. "But I need to tell you something first, before we do anything else."

He tucked her hair behind her ear. "You can tell me anything..."

She closed her eyes and rested her forehead against his. "It was um... a few days ago when my mum had that special at the bakery..."

RJ toyed with one of the straps of her camisole top. "Right..."

"Gabriel came to help me," Alexa said. "And I was sort of upset that I hadn't gotten to see you and he was trying to reassure me that everything was okay."

"That was nice of him," RJ said smiling at her. He wasn't sure what this had to do with anything.

Alexa wished so much that she had kept her distance from Gabriel. "Well I wound up getting flour all over myself when I was cleaning up and we were behind the counter together... and I guess one thing sort of led to another..." she nervously tucked her hair behind her ear again. "We kissed- but it didn't mean anything RJ."

RJ froze. "You what?"

"I swear RJ," Alexa said quickly. "It was an accident- and I don't want to keep secrets between us."

"I knew that bastard fancied you!" RJ exclaimed. He pulled away from Alexa. "I can't believe he kissed you. I'm going to knock--"

"No RJ please don't overreact!" Alexa pleaded.

RJ paced in front of her, running his hand through his hair. "Did you want him to kiss you?" he asked her. "Lexie, just tell me that it was all him and you pushed him away..."

"I didn't at first," Alexa admitted quietly.

"At first?" RJ asked her. "What does that mean?"

Alexa bit her lower lip. She knew RJ would be angry but she hoped against hope that he would understand. "I was just sort of taken aback, and I was upset," she looked down at the floor.

"So you kissed him back?" RJ asked her angrily.

"Just at first," Alexa's eyes stung with tears. "But I pushed him away, I swear!"

"Because I couldn't see you?" he asked walking away from her. He couldn't believe this was happening. In a fit of anger, he kicked the cabinet as hard as he could.

Alexa jumped. "RJ please... it was an accident, a mistake. That's all!"

"Do you know how often Serena Starr has come on to me?" he asked her. "And not just her, all these girls coming up to me in pubs and I have never been unfaithful to you, Alexa. Not once. Is this your way of getting back at me for Christina?"

"No not at all," Alexa felt tears well up in her eyes and she brushed them away. "I just don't want to break the trust we have between us- that's why I'm telling you this instead of hiding it. I love you RJ, you and only you!"

RJ leaned against the counter. He couldn't even look at Alexa because every time he did, he pictured her kissing Gabriel Boyd.

"RJ," she pleaded softly. "Please don't shut me out now."

"I think you should go," RJ said quietly.

"Wha...what?" she asked, her voice quivering.

"I can't look at you now," RJ said hoarsely. "Just go..."

Alexa wanted to protest, she wanted to grab him and make him realise that she'd made the biggest mistake of her life but she only nodded. "Okay," she said quietly. "I'm really sorry RJ."

He wanted to hurt her just as she'd hurt him. "You going to go running to him now? Is he going to let you cry on his shoulder?"

"No!" Alexa exclaimed. "I haven't seen him or talked to him since then!"

RJ rounded on her. "I DON'T BELIEVE A WORD YOU SAY!" he shouted. "GET OUT!"

Alexa visibly recoiled and turned away as new tears sprang to her eyes. She quickly gathered her things and left, not knowing what to do or say to him at this time.

Meanwhile, at the Potter mansion, Saffron was enjoying a quiet morning home alone. Her parents had left for work early and wouldn't be back until later that evening.

She smiled down at her dog who was eyeing the pastry on her plate. "Puddles, don't look at me like that!"

She giggled at the dog's expression and broke off a corner of the pastry. "All right you brat... if you weren't so bloody cute..."

Puddles jumped up to get the piece of pastry and Saffron giggled as she watched him. "How about you and me go for a walk in the park today? Hmm, would you like that?"

Puddles wagged his tail, his tongue hanging out of his mouth.

"I think that's a yes," she rubbed his head as she sat down.

"I wish I could think of some way to bring you back to school with me," she cooed to her dog. "We can have cats and toads and owls. I don't see why we can't have dogs, too. You would love Hogwarts..."

The dog rolled over so she could scratch his belly, making her laugh again.

The doorbell rang that instant and Saffron groaned. "Let's go get rid of whomever that is, Pud."

Puddles was under her feet as she opened the door and was shocked to see her best friend standing there in tears. "Lexie what's wrong?"

Alexa's lower lip trembled and Saffron quickly ushered her inside. "I-I told him..."

"Told him?" she asked and then her expression cleared. "Oh... about you and..."

Alexa nodded. "It was horrible, Saffy. He told me...he told me he couldn't stand to look at me."

"Lex..." Saffron hugged her friend. "I am so sorry..."

Alexa sobbed into her best friend's shoulder, letting everything out. Saffron led her into the sitting room and told her to sit tight while she fetched them both a glass of juice.

Saffron came back a few moments later with a tray of biscuits and juice and a box of tissues.

"Thanks," Alexa mopped at her face.

"I wish he hadn't taken it so badly," Saffron said. "I didn't think he would."

"When I first arrived, it was like nothing had changed," Alexa said sitting back on the sofa. "We were about to...you know...and I just couldn't do that until he knew what had happened. And I told him and he just blew up, Saffy. I've never seen him like that."

"Me either," Saffron said. "Is there anything I can do?"

"Get me a time turner?" Alexa asked sadly.

"I would if I could," Saffron said wryly. They sat in silence for a good few minutes. "How about I go talk to him?"

"I don't know what good it would do, Saffy," Alexa said.

"Believe it or not I can usually talk sense into his thick head," Saffron replied.

"I don't know if you can this time," Alexa said quietly.

"I'll try," Saffron said determinedly.

"Maybe now isn't the right time, though," Alexa said thoughtfully. "He's really...Saffy..."

Her voice trailed off as she watched her best friend head over to the fire place.

"Just wait here awhile," Saffron replied. "I'll come back when I'm done."

"Saffy---" Alexa protested, but her best friend had already pulled out some floo powder.

"I hate seeing you unhappy Lex," Saffron tossed it into the fireplace.

Alexa gave her friend a half-hearted smile as she watched her disappear into the flames.

Saffron arrived at RJ and Andrew's flat and heard loud music blaring from the Wireless. As she dusted the soot off her shoulders, she called out for RJ.

"RJ!" she hollered again when he didn't respond.

She walked over to the Wireless and shut if off.

"GO AWAY!" RJ shouted from the kitchen.

"No!" Saffron said.

RJ stalked out of the kitchen. "Get the hell out, Saffron!"

"Excuse me?" she glared at him. "Can you please act like a human being instead of a complete jerk off?"

"Did you know?" RJ asked her turning the wireless back on. "Did you know about Alexa and your fucking cousin?"

"Stop it RJ," Saffron shut it off again. "Yes I knew about it but it wasn't my place to say anything."

RJ glared at her. "It's over, okay?"

"Over one kiss?" Saffron asked. "RJ let's talk rationally okay?"

"Rationally?" RJ asked her. "Okay...how would you have felt if Andrew snogged some other girl?"

"I'd be upset, of course," Saffron replied. "But I love Andrew, and I'd listen to what he said."

"You're a better person than me," RJ said shaking his head. "All summer long, you and Andrew both told me I was being stupid for thinking Gabriel fancied her. He was there all the time, just waiting for his chance!"

"I believe her when she said it was an accident," Saffron replied. "Alexa was upset because you kept cancelling out on her and no, before you say anything I don't blame you for this."

RJ sank down on the sofa. He knew that he was partly to blame for this. "This was going to be our summer."

"I know," Saffron moved next to him.

"And I lost her," RJ said running his hand through his hair.

"You have not lost her," Saffron put her hand on his arm. "RJ Alexa is at my house bawling her eyes out. She loves you so much."

He shook his head and looked earnestly at Saffron. "Every time I look at her now, I'm going to think of her with him, Saffy. I don't know if I can get past that."

"You will if you love her," Saffron said softly.

"He's better for her than I am," RJ said glumly. "They like the same things. They can talk about books and films and I just sit there and feel like an idiot..."

"That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard," Saffron replied. "You and Alexa are perfect for each other. She keeps you grounded RJ."

"She does that," RJ admitted.

"And being with you has made her open up a bit more," Saffron explained. "You've given her a lot of self confidence RJ."

"It was just once?" RJ asked. "And it didn't mean anything?"

"Just once," Saffron said. "Like I said, she loves you so much RJ."

"She did forgive me for the Christina thing," RJ said softly.

"Without a second thought," Saffron agreed.

RJ looked thoughtfully at her. "Merlin, I don't want to admit you're right."

Saffron grinned at him. "Because you know I'll rub it in forever?"

"And a day," RJ grumbled.

"So you'll forgive her?" Saffron asked.

RJ nodded. "She's at your house?"

Saffron jumped up. "Sitting right on the sofa."

"I should probably get dressed," RJ said looking down at the same t-shirt and boxer shorts he'd had on since Alexa had left.

"That'd be nice," Saffron said lightly. "I'm going to have nightmares if I see you in any less."

RJ nudged her. "I'll go throw on some trousers. Wait here."

"All right," Saffron agreed, happy she'd been able to talk some sense into him.

RJ quickly threw on his trousers and trainers and came back into the sitting room to see Saffron sitting there with a smug expression on her face. "Thanks, Saf."

"As always, I was right," Saffron grinned at him. "She's going to be so happy that you'll hear her out."

RJ mussed her hair. "Let's go."

Alexa stared in surprise as Saffron tumbled out of the fireplace followed by RJ.

She wiped at her eyes and shakily stood up.

"I'm going to take Puddles outside," Saffron said picking up her dog.

"Hi," Alexa said quietly when she and RJ were alone.

"Hey," he replied, scuffing his foot on the carpet.

She bit her bottom lip, trying to find the right thing to say. "Um..."

"Saf told me that you were over here," RJ thrust his hands into his pockets.

Alexa nodded. "I didn't want to go home."

He sat down next to her. "She reminded me about how you forgave me right away after that whole thing with Christina."

"That was a mistake," Alexa said looking at him. "Just like what happened with Gabe. I knew in my heart then that you wanted to be with me, not her."

"And you want to be with me," RJ took her hand.

"More than anything," Alexa whispered.

"Just tell me it didn't mean anything," RJ said. "I need to hear it again."

Alexa shook her head. "It didn't mean anything."

He nodded. "I'm sorry for blowing up at you like that Lexie."

"It's okay," she assured him.

"I love you," RJ gazed at her intently.

"I love you too," Alexa said leaning in.

He kissed her, releasing her hand so he could run his fingers through her hair.

She couldn't believe the range of emotions she'd gone through this morning. She gave into his kiss, wrapping her arms around his waist, wanting to be as close to him as possible.

"Come back with me," RJ said in her ear. "We can pick back up where we left off..."

Alexa smiled. "Okay..."

He knew things weren't a hundred percent perfect but he was willing to overlook that for the time being.

"We should tell Saffy," Alexa said.

"I'm sure she'll figure it out when she comes back and we're gone." RJ said.

Alexa kissed him again. "Probably."

"Oh trust me," RJ said. "She knows she's right."

*** *** ***

Allison sat in the middle of Emma's old bedroom going through a box of baby clothes thatChiaki had given her. The clothes were newborn outfits that Masanobu had long since grown out of and would definitely come in handy when Adam was born.

Caroline and Emma were in the sitting room watching a movie and Jon was up in the attic getting Emma's old crib out of storage. They both had the weekend off and had decided to finish up decorating Emma's old room into the nursery.

"I hate going up in the attic," Jon muttered as he came into the room carrying the crib.

"Did you see a spider?" Allison teased.

"About a million of them," Jon shuddered. "I bloody hate spiders."

Allison giggled. "Just like your dad."

"Josh is the same way," Jon replied, setting up the crib.

"I'm not that crazy about them either," Allison admitted. She held up one of a blue receiving blanket. "I am so glad Chi saved all this stuff."

"Saves us a bundle, that's for sure," Jon replied. "But it was the same way for them when you gave all Caroline and Em's hand me downs."

"And I'll have to save these in case Frankie and Will have their own little one someday," Allison said. She smiled as she watched her husband finish setting up the crib. "You're getting better at this. They do say third time is the charm..."

"Each time we thought it was the last," Jon snickered.

"And it took you nearly two weeks to get up the courage to change Caroline's nappy," Allison said laughing at the memory.

"I've definitely gotten better at that," Jon paused for a moment to grin at his wife. "I can't believe we're going to have a son."

"I know," Allison grinned back at him. "And I can't---"

"Daddy!" Emma squealed coming into the room and throwing her arms around his leg.

"Hey baby," Jon swung her up. "Is your movie over?"

Emma nodded. "Em's room!"

Allison stood up and walked over to give her daughter a kiss on the cheek. "This used to be your room, baby girl. But now it's going to be Adam's room, remember?"

"Em still baby right?" she asked.

Allison and Jon exchanged a look. "You'll always be our baby, sweetheart," Allison said softly. "But you're going to be a big sister soon."

Emma stared at her mother thoughtfully. "Like Sissy?"

Allison smiled. "Just like Sissy."

"And guess what Em?" Jon asked her. "Daddy's going to use his wand to turn these pink walls blue. How cool is that?"

"Blue!" Emma clapped her hands together.

"And you and Caroline can help us decide what sort of theme we want to have in here," Allison said.

"What's that?" Emma asked.

"When Caroline was a baby we did the moon and stars," Allison explained. "Daddy and I charmed the ceiling so it looked like a starry sky. And your room had little pink flowers."

"Em loves flowers," Emma replied.

"I think we should make the room with Quidditch things," Caroline came into the room.

"That has my vote," Jon said grinning at his oldest. "Excellent idea, Caroline!"

"Sissy smart," Emma beamed at her.

Caroline giggled. "Thanks, Em."

"Both my girls are smart," Allison said. "Your father and I love the name you both came up with."

"How much longer until he comes out?" Caroline asked patting her mother's tummy.

"Just a few months Angel," Allison replied.

"It'll be awhile before he can play with us though," Caroline told her sister. "He's going to sleep and cry most of the time."

"Just like you both," Jon teased them.

"We don't do that anymore, Daddy," Caroline said. "We're big now, right Em?"

Emma nodded. "Em big now like Sissy."

Jon tickled her side. "Em's a big girl now. Big, big girl!"

Emma giggled. "Daddy stop!"

Jon spun her around. "Em, you're making Daddy dizzy! Stop making me spin you around!"

Allison and Caroline laughed as Emma continued to joyfully shriek.

She hiccupped as Jon fell to his knees and brought Emma down with him. "That's it! I'm done for, Em! Out for the count!"

"Daddy," Emma fell on top of him.

"You're silly," Caroline said with a grin.

"I am not," Jon said with mock indignation. "I'm Jonathan."

"No," Emma said patting his arm. "You're Daddy!"

"That's right," Jon rolled onto his back and lifted his youngest above him. "Em's the silly one."

"Em flying!" Emma squealed.

"That's right," Jon laughed. "Em's flying like a big girl!"

Caroline smiled at the look on her little sister's face. She looked over at her mother. "Need some help with those clothes, Mummy?"

"Sure sweetheart," Allison replied. "There's so many here."

"I remember Mas wearing this one!" Caroline exclaimed holding up a blue outfit. "He looked so cute!"

"He sure did," Allison said. "Let's put that in the drawer- I bet Adam will look just as cute."

"I wonder what colour hair he's going to have," Caroline said thoughtfully.

"We'll find out in just a few months," Allison said. "I think his birthday is going to be around the same time as yours."

Caroline grinned. "And he'll already have friends in Casey, Noah and Aidan. Just like you had when you were little with Daddy and Uncle Josh."

"That's right Angel," Allison smiled at her daughter.

"What sorts of things did you play?" Caroline asked. "Did you have a magic carpet?"

Allison shook her head. "No. Your dad and Uncle Josh didn't always like playing with me. They loved playing Exploding Snap and never let me play because they said girls didn't play that."

"But I play Exploding Snap," Caroline was confused.

Emma who had caught what her mother had said folded her little arms and looked at her father.

"Daddy was mean to Mummy then," Jon said sitting up. "I'm sorry, baby."

"How come you were mean?" Caroline asked.

"Yeah," Allison said levelling her gaze at her husband. "Why were you mean?"

Jon looked flabbergasted at being put on the spot. "Josh and I didn't really like girls. Amazing isn't it?"

"He changed around the time he turned 12," Allison said with a grin.

"What happened then?" Caroline asked.

"That's when your Mum showed up at Hogwarts," Jon said with a grin. "And I was done for..."

"But it wasn't until your father moved to Ireland that he really missed me," Allison tickled Caroline.

"Eyeland!" Emma giggled.

Jon laughed. "Eyeland," he echoed, lifting her back up above his head.

"Daddy should have let you play," Caroline said to Allison. "You taught me how to play Exploding Snap and you're even better at it than Daddy!"

"I learned on my own Angel," Allison told her daughter. "Your Aunt Frankie and I used to play together all the time."

"When Em gets older, I'll teach her how to play," Caroline said. She watched as her mother finished going through the rest of the baby clothes, a worried expression on her face. "Mummy?"

"Hmm?" Allison looked up.

"What's wrong?" Caroline sat up on her knees.

"Nothing, baby," Allison replied.

"You promise you won't go to sleep like you did when you had Emma, right?" Caroline asked. "Everyone was really, really sad and I missed you."

"I don't think I will," Allison shook her head thoughtfully. "And your Aunt Lizzy doesn't think so either."

Caroline nodded and hugged her mother. "I love you more than the sky and bigger than the ocean, Mummy."

Allison felt tears well up in her eyes and she hugged her daughter back. "Thank you for telling me that Angel."

Emma toddled over to join them and she squeezed in between them. "Hug too!"

"My favourite kind of hugs," Allison said. "Especially if Daddy joins in!"

Jon laughed as he wrapped his arms around all of them, being careful not to squeeze too tightly.

"We're all giving Adam a hug too," Caroline said with a grin.

"One big family hug," Jon was also grinning. "Merlin I can't wait for the little guy to join us out here."

"Em still baby," Emma said, but she was grinning. "Ad baby too."

"You'll still be the baby girl," Allison reassured her.

Emma beamed. "Yay!"

Jon chuckled. "I've got to finish setting up this crib."

"And I think I should go and make us all some lunch," Allison said. "Everyone want a sandwich and crisps?"

"Eat," Emma got up. "Em help, kay?"

Allison took her hand. "I'd love for you to help."

Caroline decided to stay behind with her father and she watched him finish with the crib. "Was I like that before Em was born, Daddy?"

"About being the baby?" Jon asked. "Not really. You were so excited to be a big sister."

"I'm trying to make Emma see that too," Caroline said. "I keep telling her that there's all this cool stuff that she's going to be able to show Adam how to do."

"She'll be fine once Adam's born," Jon said, setting the little mattress in the crib.

"I think so too," Caroline said. She admired his handiwork. "You did good, Daddy!"

"Thank you Angel," Jon swung her up much like he'd done to Emma.

"Did you have to go up in the attic to get it?" Caroline asked.

"That's where we kept it," Jon replied.

Caroline scrunched up her nose. "It's scary up there."

"The attic scares you?" Jon was amused but didn't show it. "How come?"

"It's dark up there," Caroline admitted.

"Well you know nothing scares your Daddy," Jon boasted.

"Nothing?" Caroline asked.

"Well one or two things," Jon said. "Like something happening to you, your sister or your mum."

"What about spiders?" Caroline asked.

"I don't like them but I'm not a big chicken like your grandpa," Jon tickled her.

Caroline giggled. "That's good. Because there's one on your shoulder, Daddy!"

Jon nearly dropped her as he jumped away from the crib. "WHERE?"

"It's gone now," Caroline giggled. "It's on the floor now!"

Jon stomped hard, making his daughter laugh even harder.

"Daddy, you are silly," Caroline said hugging him around the neck.

"Well you're my daughter so that makes you sillier," Jon returned, pecking her cheek.

"Jon! Caroline!" Allison called out from the kitchen. "Lunch is ready!"

"Eat!" Emma chimed in.

"Come on Daddy," Caroline said. "I'm really hungry."

"Me too," Jon said. "Let's go eat, Angel Girl."

122. 122!

Well here’s the chapter you all have been waiting for- at least part of it ;) And yeah… little cliffie at the end there too. Please review and let us know what you think of the um… event! ;)

Lavender could tell something was definitely up with her stepson. For one thing, he had spent the last few days herein the penthouse instead of going out with Saffron and her friends. The only time he ventured out was to accompany Seamus to the set. She had a feeling it had to do with Alexa, but she didn't want to pry.

Oh, who was she kidding? Of course, she wanted to pry. Seamus, though, had told her time and again, to just wait for Gabriel to come to them. That morning, they were enjoying a nice breakfast. Well, she was anyway. Seamus was going over some script revisions and Gabriel had his nose buried in the newspaper.

“It’s going to be a lovely day,” Lavender said brightly.” I think I remember Saffron telling me she was going to take Puddles for a walk in the park and I think she was getting together with her friends for a picnic. I’m sure they wouldn't mind if you wanted to go with.”

“I’m fine here,” Gabriel replied.” In fact, I think I want to go over some of my school manuals. I only have a few weeks until I start classes.”

“But--” Lavender started to protest.

“I think that's a fine idea,” Seamus interjected.” You want to be prepared.”

Gabriel grinned at his father and went back to the paper.

“Yes, but you're going to be going back home soon and I know how close you've become to Saffy and... others,” Lavender attempted again.” You want to spend as much time with them as possible.”

“She said she'd come visit me when she could,” Gabriel set the paper down.

“And he'll see them at the wedding,” Seamus said with a warning look at Lavender.

“Exactly,” Gabriel finished his tea.

Lavender huffed and pushed back from her chair.” Fine. I have to go and check in with the boutique. I’ll be back in a few.”

“Sorry Gabe,” Seamus said once she'd gone.” Lav's nosy but that's how she is.”

Gabriel shrugged.” It's okay, Dad.”

“You know if you need to talk about anything I’m here, right?” he asked.

Gabriel pushed away the newspaper and looked earnestly at his father. Truth was, he did want to talk to someone about what had happened, but he knew that Lavender would blow it completely out of proportion.

“Well,” he began.” Something did kind of happen between Alexa and me.”

“Oh yeah?” Seamus set his own paper down.

Gabriel nodded.” A few days back, she needed some help in the bakery. I didn't have anything to do and she was all alone, so I volunteered to help out.”

He leaned back in his chair.” She's been having trouble with RJ and this summer, she and I became really close. We were alone and I sort of, well--I kissed her.”

“You what?” Seamus's eyebrows rose.

“Kissed her,” Gabriel replied.” It was just once, Dad. I knew she had a boyfriend, but I just couldn't help it.”

“How did she react?” Seamus asked curiously.

“She kissed me back, at first,” Gabriel said quietly. He told his father about Saffron and Andrew showing up and then how Andrew had overheard Alexa telling Saffron about what had happened.” So, needless to say, I’m not their favourite person right now.”

“I’m sure Saffron doesn't hold it against you,” Seamus replied.” Didn't she ring here the other night looking for you?”

Gabriel nodded.” But I told her I was on my way out and couldn't talk.”

“Perhaps you should try talking to her,” Seamus suggested.” Everyone makes mistakes Gabe.”

“It’ll probably be better for all of them when I’m back in the States,” Gabriel said.” I shouldn't have done it, Dad. I just--”

“Gabe you're young,” Seamus leaned forward.” You were there alone with a pretty girl... and it takes two to kiss.”

“He doesn't appreciate her,” Gabriel said.” He has this great girl and he doesn't want to spend anytime with her.”

“I realise you may be right but that's Alexa's decision,” Seamus replied.

Gabriel knew his father was right, but it didn't make it any easier to hear.

“I suppose she has made up her mind since I haven't heard from her since it happened,” Gabriel said.

“Why don’t' you give her a call then?” Seamus suggested.

Gabriel shook his head.” I really do need to look at my course manuals.”

“It'll take five minutes,” Seamus said, amused.

“Dad--”

It’s up to you;” Seamus tucked his copy of Variety into his briefcase.” I’ve got to get on set.”

“Will you be home for dinner?” Gabriel asked him.

“If everything goes right,” Seamus smiled at his son.

“Okay,” Gabriel said.” Have a good day, Dad.”

“You’re welcome to join me there later if you feel like it,” Seamus said.” You've got that pass I gave you.”

“I might take you up on that,” Gabriel said with a grin.” I know you're my dad and everything, but it really is amazing to watch you work.”

“I know,” Seamus joked before waving and heading out.

Gabriel grabbed his newspaper and a glass of juice before heading upstairs to his bedroom.

He sat on his bed for a few minutes before deciding that he would call Alexa if only to tell her he hoped they could remain friends. He punched in her number and waited while the phone rang.

“Hello?” her quiet voice answered.

“Hi, Alexa,” Gabriel said after a moment's hesitation where he contemplated hanging up the phone.” It's me. Gabe.”

“Oh...” she paused.” Hi Gabe... how are you?”

With his free hand, he scratched the nape of his neck.” I’ve been okay. How--how are you?”

“Fine,” she covered the phone for a moment and he could hear her speaking in a muffled tone to someone.” Sorry...I’m doing pretty good.”

“Is this a bad time?” he asked her.

“No it's okay,” she answered.” RJ's here and we're just finishing breakfast together.”

Gabriel's heart sank.” Oh.”

“I’m glad you called,” she said softly.” I feel bad about what happened.”

“That’s why I was calling actually,” Gabriel said.” I hope that we can still be friends.”

“I want that too,” she said.

“So, we'll just forget about what happened between us,” Gabriel said, wondering how he'd be able to do that.

“It's not going to be that easy,” Alexa said.” But we can try I suppose...”

“I really should go,” Gabriel lied.” Lavender needs me to help her with something. I guess I’ll see you at the wedding.”

“Right,” Alexa said softly.” Um...it'll be good to see you again Gabe.”

“Bye, Lexie,” Gabriel said quietly.

“Bye,” she answered before hanging up.

Gabriel set the phone back down and sighed. If it was possible that phone call had made him feel worse than he already did.

“Gabe?” Lavender knocked on the door frame.” Everything all right?”

Gabriel turned to look at her.” Yeah...”

“I have to run some errands and then go down to the shop for awhile,” Lavender told him.” You don't mind being here alone then?”

He shook his head.” I’ll be fine, Lav. Really.”

“All right,” she said.” Your dad said to just call for a car if you wanted to go to the set.”

He knew that his stepmother wanted to know what was going on, but the last thing he needed was her playing matchmaker for a hopeless cause.

“He said he'd probably make it home for dinner,” Gabriel said.” I was thinking I might cook something for all of us.”

“You can cook?” she smiled.

“I picked up a thing or two from my mom,” Gabriel said.

“Well I can’t wait to see what you make,” Lavender smiled.” Oh-I have a suit for you, for the wedding. I’ll bring it home so you can try it on.”

“Thanks,” Gabriel said smiling back at her.

“I’ll see you later,” Lavender replied before leaving.

Gabriel spent most of the early afternoon reading his classroom manuals before heading into the kitchen to see what he could make.

“If the mountain won't come to Mohammed, Mohammed must go to the mountain,” a familiar voice said from behind him.

Gabriel turned to see Saffron staring at him with her dog Puddles at her feet.” What are you doing here?” he asked.

“I rang you the other day,” she said.” And you practically hung up on me.”

“I had something to do,” he said evasively.

“Are you sure you're not just avoiding me?” she asked in a sweet tone.

“No,” Gabriel said as he walked over to the cupboard to check on some ingredients.” I’m a little busy now, Saffy. I’m cooking dinner for my Dad and Lavender tonight---”

“It’s three o'clock in the afternoon,” she pointed out.

“Yeah well I don't know what I’m going to make,” Gabriel said defensively.

“I’ll help you then,” she was undeterred.” I’m a good cook.”

“Saffron---”

“Come on Gabe,” Saffron said.” I know when I’m being avoided.”

“And yet you're still here,” Gabriel said sarcastically.

Saffron rolled her eyes.” You think we're all pissed at you because of what happened with Alexa.”

“Aren't you?” he asked.” Andrew practically wanted to put his fist through my face the last time I saw him. And earlier when I called Alexa, it was awkward...”

“Andrew did not want to do that,” Saffron defended her boyfriend.” He was just looking out for his best mate. And when did you talk to Alexa?”

“This morning,” Gabriel said with a sigh.

“What did she say?” Saffron had grabbed a blanket and made a little bed for her dog.

Although he hadn't known Saffron for very long, he knew her well enough to know that she was one of the most stubborn people on the planet. She wouldn't leave until she knew exactly what had happened.

“She was with RJ when I called,” Gabriel explained.” We didn't say much. Just that we wanted to still be friends and that we'd forget about what had happened.”

“Well that's good,” Saffron sat down at the table.” I’ll be straight up with you Gabe. Alexa told RJ what happened and he was really ticked. But they worked it all out-I know it's probably not what you wanted to hear--”

Gabriel shook his head.” That's exactly what I want to hear, Saffron. That's for the best. Really.”

“Well I’m just also here to say that you're welcome to join us in doing stuff while you're still here,” Saffron fiddled with one of her plaits.” RJ and Andrew won't be rude to you, I promise.”

“I really want to spend as much time as I can with my dad before I have to go home,” Gabriel said returning his attention to the pantry. He absently looked at the cans of food.

“I understand that,” Saffron replied.” I really do... but I know you've been hiding out and I just don't want you thinking that we all hate you.”

“I don't think that,” Gabriel said.” And you and I are family now, right? I couldn't get rid of you if I tried.”

“That's right,” she beamed.” And to be even more honest, I’m glad you two kissed. It made RJ open his eyes and realise he needs to spend more time with her.”

“I’m happy to help,” Gabriel said with a forced smile.

Saffron put a sympathetic hand on his shoulder.” You'll probably find someone great when you go to University back in the States,” she said.

“Someone without a boyfriend,” Gabriel said.

“That would be preferable,” Saffron nudged him and tried to make him smile.

“And someone who doesn't know you,” Gabriel said smiling at her.

“Hey!” Saffron pushed him, making Puddles bark.

“Only kidding about that last part,” Gabriel said hastily.

“Better be,” Saffron said.” Come on, I’ll help you make something.”

“I was thinking of Lemon Chicken,” Gabriel said.

“That sounds good,” Saffron agreed.” And my aunt actually eats chicken.”

Gabriel laughed.” I thought you were going on a picnic in the park today.”

“We did,” Saffron said.” Around noon- then Andrew had to go to a team meeting.”

“And RJ and Alexa?” Gabriel asked.

“They went off by themselves,” Saffron looked in the icebox.

Gabriel nodded and decided to steer the conversation away from that particular topic of conversation.” You looking forward to the wedding?”

“I can't wait,” Saffron said.” My dress is so gorgeous.”

“I’m looking forward to seeing little Emma again,” Gabriel said.” She's a cute kid.”

“She's got one of those little kid crushes on you,” Saffron said with a grin.” Apparently she talks about you all the time at home.”

Gabriel laughed.” She calls me Gabey.”

“It's so cute,” Saffron laughed.” She looks adorable in her flower girl dress.”

“The only wedding I was ever in was for my mom's best friend,” Gabriel said.” I was a ring bearer and I think I was around six or seven years old. I couldn't stand being dressed up. The moment the minister pronounced them husband and wife, I dropped that dinky pillow and yanked off my tie.”

Saffron was laughing so hard she had to lean against the counter to catch her breath.” You are too much!”

“To this day, she still talks about it,” Gabriel said with a groan.

“I bet you were a cute ring bearer,” Saffron pinched his cheek.

“I was adorable,” Gabriel said rolling his eyes.

“I wonder what happened,” Saffron deadpanned.

Gabriel glared at her.” I’m still adorable, Spice Girl.”

She narrowed her eyes.” I am NOT named after a spice!”

“Uh-huh,” Gabriel said with a grin.

“I’m named after a famous Muggle actress,” Saffron tossed her hair.

“I know,” Gabriel teased.” You've told me about three thousand times.”

“Then don't forget it,” Saffron poked him.

“Got it,” Gabriel said.” Your name is unique just like you, Saffy.”

She beamed at him.” Good save.”

“So you going to help me cook or what?” Gabriel asked.” I think I might need to run to the store.”

“I’ll help, sure.” Saffron nodded.” Let me lock Puddles in the loo while we go.”

“Okay,” Gabriel said. He scribbled a note just in case Lavender came home unexpectedly.

“This is fun,” Saffron said as they headed for the shops just down the road.” I love making dinner.”

“How’d you learn?” Gabriel asked.

“I had a nanny while I was growing up named Greta,” Saffron explained.” And my dad's actually an excellent cook.”

“A nanny, eh?” Gabriel asked nudging her.

“Both my parents are busy;” she nudged him back.” Greta was amazing-I loved her so much. She works for my sister now.”

“That's cool,” Gabriel said.” And it's nice that you guys are all so close.”

“There’s nothing I wouldn't do for my family,” Saffron said.” We're all really loyal.”

“I can definitely see that,” Gabriel said with a smile.

They quickly got what they needed to make the dinner and headed back.” I almost wish I didn’t have to go back to school,” Saffron said.” I’m going to hate being away from Andrew.”

“You can write and there's always holidays,” Gabriel said.” I know it's not the same, but it'll help.”

“Yeah I suppose,” Saffron replied.” I just wish I’d gotten together with him sooner.”

“Well, you can't change that now, but you can make the most of the time you have,” Gabriel said thoughtfully.

“A few weeks worth,” Saffron began mixing the spices they would need.” He's my date to the wedding.”

Gabriel wasn't completely looking forward to the wedding in light of everything that had happened, but he knew it meant a lot to Lavender and it helped that Saffron seemed to want him there.

“You two should have a good time then,” Gabriel said opening up a cookbook.

“You will too,” Saffron replied.” I promise to dance at least once with you.” she teased.

Gabriel laughed.” I hate to tell you this, Saffron, but I don't dance.”

“Neither does Andrew,” she said.” But he does it for me.”

“You’re not getting me on the dance floor,” Gabriel said firmly.” I’ve two left feet.”

“I’ll give you an impromptu lesson soon as we're done here,” Saffron said decisively.

“Do you even know the meaning of the word 'no'?” Gabriel asked her.

“No,” she said with a grin.

Gabriel shook his head.” You are something else.”

“I work really hard at it,” Saffron joked.” Come on let's finish this so I can show you a few moves.”

They exchanged small talk as they prepared the meal, Gabriel even convinced Saffron to stay for dinner. He had missed hanging out with his cousin and was glad that she'd stopped by. At least with her, things seemed to be okay. He placed the chicken in the oven and set the timer.

“I think it'll be ready by the time Dad and Lavender get home,” Gabriel said, hoping she'd forgotten about dancing.

“It shouldn't take too long.” Saffron agreed.” I’ve really got to go let Puddles out.”

“Okay,” Gabriel said.” You want anything to drink?”

“Nah,” Saffron said.” And when I come back we're dancing.”

“No, we're not,” Gabriel called after her.

“Don't argue with me,” Saffron replied.” You know I’ll win in the end!”

Gabriel groaned.” Saffy!”

“It won't be so bad!” Saffron called as she shut the door behind her.

“Says you,” Gabriel said shaking his head. He walked over to the refrigerator and pulled out a soda and wondered what sort of thing he could do to get Saffron's mind off of this. Salvation arrived in the form of his stepmother who grinned when she saw him.

“Am I glad to see you,” Gabriel told her.” Listen, when Saffron gets back in here, talk her ear off about anything you can think about.”

“Why?” Lavender was amused.” And what smells so wonderful?”

“Lemon chicken,” Gabriel replied.” And just do this one thing for me because Saffron seems to think I should dance at her brother's wedding and I’m terrible at it.”

“You sound just like Seamus,” Lavender said with a laugh.

“Well I’m no good and you know she won't take no for an answer,” Gabriel pleaded.

“Gabe---” Lavender started to say.

“Hi, Aunt Lav!” Saffron said as she and Puddles came into the room.” You're home early!”

“Hi Saffy,” Lavender gave her niece a hug.

“You’re just in time to see me teach Gabe how to dance,” Saffron said with a grin.” Turn some music on, Gabe.”

“How about we don't and say we did?” Gabriel suggested.

“Nice try,” Saffron crossed her arms.

Lavender giggled.” How about I put something on for you two. You want fast or slow music, Saffy?”

Gabriel glared at both of them.

“Slow would be nice,” Saffron replied.” Okay, Gabe. Stand right there.” When he didn't move, she rolled her eyes and grabbed him by the arm pulling him to where she wanted him to stand.” Okay, perfect.”

Gabriel rolled his eyes and sighed heavily.

“Okay,” Saffron grinned.” You know it helps when you don't look as if you're going to your certain death.”

“Well I hate dancing,” he complained.” I’m perfectly happy just watching everyone else.”

“I know for a fact that Alexa will be dancing with you at some point during the day,” Saffron lied. She didn't know this, but she knew Alexa wanted to remain Gabriel's friend.” You don't want to embarrass yourself. So shut up, quit being a baby, and let me work my magic.”

He shook his head.” Fine.”

“Okay,” Saffron said sharing an amused look with her aunt.” Put your hands on my waist and I’ll put mine on your shoulders....”

Lavender hid her smile as Gabriel reluctantly did what he was told.

“And just move your feet like this,” Saffron demonstrated.” But don't keep looking at your feet or my feet. You want to look right into her eyes.”

“Fine,” Gabriel moved as she told him.

“See,” Saffron said.” You're doing just fine...”

“I’m home!” Seamus called out.

“We’re in here!” Lavender called out.” In the kitchen!”

“Dad rescue me!” Gabriel yelled.

Saffron hit him on the shoulder.” You are such a baby!”

“I told you I hate dancing,” Gabriel pulled away.

Lavender looked dreamily at Seamus when he came into the room.” This brings back so many memories...”

“Are you dancing?” Seamus asked with a smirk.

“Completely against my will,” Gabriel replied.

“Fine, I give up- but I’m going to laugh at you when you fall all over the place at the wedding,” Saffron replied.

“Come on, Gabe,” Lavender urged.” You were doing just fine.”

“Going against these two is a lost cause,” Seamus joked.

“Okay,” Gabriel grumbled.

Saffron grinned.” Okay, back in position, young man.”

Gabriel reluctantly did as he was told- again.” I do better without an audience.”

“How about if Instead of watching you,” Lavender suggested.” I give your dad a refresher course. Come on, Seamus.”

“Lav I don't need a refresher course--” Seamus protested.

“I see where you get it from,” Saffron whispered to Gabe.

“Yes you do,” Lavender said already standing up.” Come on, you are not going to embarrass me at the wedding.”

“You can't tell me I have to then back out yourself,” Gabriel pointed out to his father.

Seamus stared at him.” Thanks, son.”

“Eye for an eye,” Gabriel grinned at him.

Lavender laughed.” He's right, Seamus.”

“Look I’m going to check on dinner- but I promise I’ll be back,” Gabriel said before Saffron could argue.

Saffron laughed as she watched him disappear. She watched her aunt and uncle dance and smiled.

“You’re pretty good, Uncle Seamus.”

“I’ve had a good teacher Saf,” Seamus grinned at her.

“He doesn't give himself enough credit,” Lavender said.” He's very good at this actually.”

“There’s what I needed to inherit,” Gabriel said dryly as he came back in.

“You have no faith in yourself,” Saffron told him.” You're good.”

“If you say so,” Gabriel replied.

“I do,” Saffron grinned.” And I’m always right.”

*** *** ***

“Madeline Molly,” Frankie was laughing.” I’m never going to finish your hair if you don't sit still!”

“Sorry,” Maddie apologised.” But I’m just so excited! I’ve feel like I’ve been waiting forever for today!”

Allison grinned at her sister-in-law.” You have been waiting for this since you were four years old.”

“You could say that,” Maddie agreed with a huge smile.

Saffron came in laughing.” I just saw Ethan- you wouldn't believe how pale he looks.”

“Mr. Cool is nervous, eh?” Frankie said giggling.

“Tell him he's got nothing to be nervous about,” Maddie told her.

“Well, I would,” Saffron said.” But he kind of kicked me out.”

Julie snorted.” I can't imagine why.”

Saffron giggled.” Do you lot need help with anything?”

“Can you make me not look like a whale?” Allison asked touching her protruding stomach.

“Allie you look beautiful,” Chiaki told her sister.” Come on- were you not convincing me I looked fine while I was pregnant with twins?”

“Yes, but,” Allison started to protest.

“You do look gorgeous, Allie,” Maddie said.” And I couldn't imagine going through this without you in the bridal party.”

“Thanks Maddie,” Allison sat down on the sofa.

The door opened and Drew led her two nieces plus Katie and Ashley into the room. All four girls were dressed in light blue dresses. Emma had a crown of flowers in her hair and Saffron knelt down.” You are one gorgeous little flower girl. You little heartbreaker.”

“Thank,” Emma beamed at her.” Saf pretty too!”

Saffron grinned and pecked the little girl on the cheek.

Ashley smiled at her mother.” Drew helped us get ready and we were all twirling in our dresses.”

“All four of you look just gorgeous,” Julie praised.

“So do you, Mummy,” Katie said.

“Thank you sweetheart,” Julie smiled at her daughter.” Did you see Daddy out there?”

“He was helping Uncle Ron with something,” Katie said.

“How long until the ceremony?” Maddie asked.” I’d look, but Frankie would kill me if I turned my head.”

“Thirty minutes,” Darla told her sister.” I need to go and check on some last minute stuff with the vicar.”

“Okay,” Maddie wiped her palms on her robe.” I’m a little nervous too.”

“There’s no reason to be nervous,” Frankie told her.” You're going to be absolutely gorgeous and nothing and I do mean, nothing, is going to go wrong today. You are marrying the man of your dreams, Maddie!”

“I know,” the blonde's face relaxed.” I think it's just getting up in front of everyone.”

“When you get up there, you'll only see Ethan,” Drew told her.” And everything and everyone else will just melt away.”

“You think so?” Maddie asked her sister.

“I’ve planned how many weddings now?” Drew asked her.” I think I’m an expert on that by now.”

“Right,” Maddie replied.

“I hope Andrew gets here soon,” Saffron peered out the window.” I can't wait to see him all dressed up.”

“Young love,” Julie teased her sister.

“I’m sure you were the same way with Nick,” Saffron returned with a grin.

“And you should have seen her with Corey McNamara,” Chiaki joked.” Her first love...”

“That was a silly crush, Chi,” Julie said glaring at her best friend.” And please don't bring up his name ever again.”

“Why not?” Saffron asked curiously.

Chiaki giggled.” He was a friend of Toshio's that Julie thought she'd impress by showing him her football skills....”

“Jules you can't play football,” Saffron replied.

“Mummy’s rubbish at sport,” Ashley said innocently.

“Yes, thank you,” Julie said hastily.” But he was really into football and I thought I should know how to play it before this party. I asked Dad to help me out...”

“Dad’s no good either,” Saffron interjected.

“Well, he was better at it than I was,” Julie said.” Needless to say, I embarrassed myself and Corey went after some bubble-headed Hufflepuff.”

Maddie giggled.” I’m sure he learned his lesson there.”

Julie laughed.” I certainly did. Never try to be something you're not to impress a boy.”

“That’s why I’m so glad I’ve got Andrew,” Saffron replied.” He loves me for me.”

“He is really dreamy,” Ashley said absently from her spot on the sofa.

Saffron giggled.” You think so Ash?”

Ashley looked up from the magazine she was reading and blushed when she realised she'd said that aloud.” Oh...well, he's just really nice.”

“Do I have competition?” Saffron teased her niece.

Ashley giggled.” No, Aunt Saffy. I just thought he was really nice to me when we were at Brighton.”

“He is nice,” Saffron said.” And sweet and handsome and--”

“And perfect,” Julie teased.

“Completely perfect,” Saffron agreed.

“Just remember all of us when it's your turn to get married,” Julie said grinning at her sister.

“My wedding is going to be so fantastic, when I do wind up getting married,” Saffron said.” Maybe not as lavish as this one, but it'll be so much fun.”

“And Dad will be crying in the corner,” Julie said.” Since you're his baby...”

Katie laughed.” I think seeing Grandpa cry over that would be funny.”

“Mum’s the one who’s going to be crying today,” Saffron told her niece.” And Uncle Ron will be crying over Maddie.”

“Sad?” Emma asked.

“No not sad,” Saffron picked the little girl up.” Sometimes people cry when they're happy too.”

“Oh,” Emma said nodding.

“Dad’s going to make me cry if he starts the waterworks,” Maddie said.

“I’ll tell him to keep it to a minimum,” Drew said with a grin.

“You are the first of his little girls to get married,” Chiaki pointed out.” It's a given that he'll cry, Maddie.”

“All right,” Frankie stood back.” Your hair is too pretty to put up Mads, so I left it down.”

“I love it styled in ringlets like that,” Saffron said.” She looks just like a princess.”

“Wait until you see her in her dress,” Frankie said.” Maddie you are going to take everyone's breath away.”

“I hate to rush things, but she should get dressed,” Drew said looking at her watch.” Fifteen minutes...”

Maddie felt her stomach flutter. In less than a half hour she would be standing up with Ethan, becoming his wife.

Things were a lot looser where the groom and his groomsmen were getting ready. Justin was playing cards with Will and Jon and Josh were talking about the upcoming Quidditch season. Ethan was pacing in front of the mirror.

“Relax mate,” Justin said as RJ came back into the room.” Getting married isn't nerve wracking-I should know.”

“There must be 600 people out there,” RJ said plopping down on one of the sofas.

“600?” Ethan echoed.” Shite... that's more people than we thought...”

“Come on, Ethan,” Josh said.” Nothing to worry about. Just remember tonight you get to have---okay, I don't want to finish that sentence. This is my baby sister we're talking about.”

Jon and RJ both made faces.” Yes, don't continue that thought,” Jon replied.

“You guys aren't going to give me 'the talk' again, is you?” Ethan asked.

“We already did that,” Jon said.” And as long as you remember--”

“Yes, yes I remember,” Ethan ran his hand through his hair.

“She is our baby sister,” Josh said.” And you'll be the same way when Saffron gets married.”

“Right,” Ethan resumed his pacing.

There was a knock on the door and RJ got up to get it. Harry walked in, decked out in his dress robes.” How's everything going in here?” he asked.

“Ethan’s a nervous wreck,” RJ cracked.

“Thanks, RJ,” Ethan grumbled.

“It’s all right son,” Harry clapped his shoulder.” It's normal to be nervous.”

“Dad, I’m terrified,” Ethan said running a hand through his hair.

“Why’s that?” Harry asked.

“I want this to be perfect for Maddie,” Ethan said.” And I’m worried that I’m going to fumble my vows or something...”

“You’ll do fine,” Harry reassured him.” It's impossible to mess up your wedding day. Maddie will be happy no matter what.”

“Yeah- cause you showed up.” RJ said right before Jon hit him with a pillow.

“Real subtle RJ,” Josh smirked.

RJ glared at him.” What'd you do that for? It’s the truth!”

“Of course Ethan showed up,” Jon shook his head.

“If he hadn't, Dad would have AK'd him,” RJ said with a grin.

“This is so pleasant,” Will joked.

Harry led his son off to the side and smiled reassuringly at him.” It's going to be fine, Ethan. You're going to be fine.”

Ethan nodded.” I hope so. I can’t wait to see her.”

“Only a few minutes before you do,” Harry said.” Before I go out to sit with your mum, I wanted to tell you how proud I am of you. And there's something your mum and I wanted to give to you and Maddie.”

“What’s that?” Ethan asked, feeling better already.

Harry reached into the pocked of his robes and pulled out an envelope.” Open it.”

Ethan pulled a confused look as he opened the envelope and pulled out a gold key.” A key?”

“Not just any key,” Harry said with a grin.” Remember the old cottage?”

Ethan nodded.” This is a key to the cottage? Dad---”

“It’s a wedding present to you and Maddie,” Harry replied.” When it gets too small for you two, then you'll sell it to your mum and me.”

Ethan was speechless.” I--I don't know what to say...”

“Just say you'll enjoy it,” Harry hugged his son.

“We will,” Ethan said hugging him back.” Thanks, Dad. Thank you so much.”

“You’re very welcome,” Harry said with a grin.” I’ll see you out therein the garden.”

“Thanks,” Ethan said smiling at him.” How's Mum doing? Holding up okay?”

“Already crying,” Harry joked.

Ethan laughed.” Tell her I love her.”

“Ethan,” Will interrupted.” The vicar said it was time for us to go.”

“Already?” Ethan's palms grew sweaty again.” Okay.”

“Good luck, son,” Harry said clapping him on the back before leaving the room.

Maddie followed her bridesmaids down the hall feeling as if her heart was about to jump out of her chest. She felt better when she caught sight of her father standing just beside the door leading to the garden.

“Daddy?” Maddie called out to him.

Ron slowly turned around and his jaw dropped.” Madeline Molly...my little girl...”

“How do I look?” she asked a bit shyly.

“Beautiful,” Ron whispered.

“Thanks Daddy,” Maddie gave her father a hug.

“I don't know how I’m going to be able to give my little girl away,” Ron said his voice breaking.

“Daddy don't cry or I’ll start too,” Maddie told him.

“I’ll try,” Ron promised.

Drew smiled at her father as she led Emma and Caroline to the front of the line. Katie and Ashley followed.” Caroline, you and Emma go first and you both just toss the flower petals in your basket. Not all at once, okay, Em?”

“Kay,” Emma said, looking at her sister.

“We’ll show you Em,” Ashley promised.

Drew opened the door when she heard the music begin to play.” Okay, girls....and remember you sit beside your Grandma Luna on the front row, okay?”

“We know,” Katie replied, wishing they could stand up in the front.

Drew straightened the flowers in Caroline's hair before ushering them outside.

“Not yet, Emma,” Caroline whispered as she and Emma walked down the stairs.” Wait until we reach the first row of chairs....”

“Where Mummy?” Emma asked stopping to take a look at the crowd of people.

“She’s back there Em,” Caroline whispered.” Come on we have to go sit by Grandma--”

“Kay,” Emma whispered back walking beside her sister. She waited for Caroline to start throwing her rose petals and then mimicked everything Caroline did. The crowd of guests grinned at the two little girls and Emma's eyes immediately fell on Gabriel who was sitting in the back. She waved shyly at him.” Gabey!”

Gabriel grinned at the little girl.” Hi Emma,” he whispered and waved back.” You look pretty.”

Emma beamed at him and continued walking down the aisle with her sister.

Katie liked having every eye on her and she positively relished the attention. Ashley concentrated on the task at hand and only looked up to wave at her Nana who was bawling into a handkerchief.

“You girls did so well!” Luna whispered helping Emma and Caroline to their seats.

“Thank you Grandma,” Caroline whispered back.” Aunt Maddie looks soooo gorgeous today!”

“I know, baby,” Luna said wiping at her eyes.

Next down the aisle was Drew who beamed at Brian when she spotted him sitting with her grandparents.

“You look beautiful,” he mouthed to her.

Drew winked at him before continuing her walk down the aisle. She laughed as RJ made a goofy face at her.

Ethan fidgeted as the rest of the bridesmaids made their way down the aisle. He was on pins and needles wanting to see Maddie.

Finally, the wedding march began and Ethan couldn't see her. For an awful moment, he wondered if perhaps she'd wised up and decided to head for the hills.

Then around the corner, on Ron's arm, she suddenly appeared. Ethan fought to keep his jaw from dropping to the floor.

“Whoa,” Justin muttered.” She looks amazing...”

Ethan's gaze was fixed on hers as she slowly walked down the aisle toward him. He'd known her since they were kids. She was everything in the world to him and there wasn't anything he wouldn't do to protect her.

Maddie broke out into a radiant smile as she and her father headed towards Ethan. Her sisters had been right- nothing mattered but the man waiting for her at the makeshift altar.

She and Ron finally made it to the altar and she felt tears welling up in her eyes at the look on Ethan's face.

“Who gives this woman in marriage to this man?” the vicar asked.

Ron took a deep breath.” Her mother and I do.”

Ethan finally remembered to breathe as Maddie released Ron's arm and took his.

Ron took a seat beside Luna and wiped at his eyes.

“Friends, family and special guests,” the vicar began.” Today, we have gathered here to celebrate the marriage of Madeline Molly Weasley to Ethan James Potter. If there is anyone who knows just cause why they should not be married, let them speak now or forever hold their peace...”

Ethan smiled at her as the vicar continued.

“You holding up all right?” Luna passed a tissue to her husband.

Ron nodded.” I think so. She looks like you did on our wedding day, Luna.”

Luna smiled at him as Emma moved over onto his lap.

“No cry, Grandpa,” Emma said leaning against him.

“I’m all right Em,” Ron kissed the top of his granddaughter's head.

“May I have the rings please?” the vicar asked. Frankie and Justin produced the wedding bands and handed them over to the vicar.

“Repeat after me,” the vicar smiled at Ethan.” Madeline Molly Weasley, I take thee as my wife...”

“Madeline Molly Weasley,” Ethan repeated.” I take thee as my wife...”

He finished with his vows and slid the ring onto her finger.

Maddie beamed at him and resisted the urge to throw herself in his arms at that very moment.

The vicar handed her Ethan's ring.” Repeat after me. Ethan James Potter, I take thee as my husband...”

“Ethan James Potter, I take thee as my husband,” she began, her voice surprisingly calm.

Hermione nudged her husband.” Can I borrow your h-handkerchief?”

“Here you go,” Harry handed it to her before sliding his arm around her shoulders.

“I said I wasn't going to do this,” Hermione whispered dabbing at her eyes.

“It’s all right Hermione,” Harry kissed the side of her head as Maddie put Ethan's wedding band on his finger.

“By the power invested in me,” the vicar said smiling broadly at the young couple.” I now pronounce you husband and wife. Ethan James, you may kiss your bride.”

Ethan pulled Maddie to him and without any precedent, gave her a rather passionate kiss.

“Ladies and gentlemen,” the vicar said when the couple broke apart.” I give you Ethan and Madeline Potter.”

Maddie laughed as Ethan kissed her again.” We're actually married!” she squealed excitedly.

Ethan picked her up and spun her around to the delight of the crowd.

“I told you I would marry you someday,” she was still laughing when he set her back down.

“You sure did, Mrs. Potter,” he said smiling at her.

She kissed him again before they headed back past the rows of people who were standing up and applauding.

As they walked up the aisle, Maddie caught sight of Alexa standing beside a covered cage and she grinned when she spotted Blue peering out.

“There’s my little guy,” she crooned.” Thanks for watching him Alexa.”

“No problem,” Alexa said grinning at her.” You look gorgeous, Maddie.”

“Thank you,” Maddie beamed at her.

“Mum!” Ethan exclaimed when he saw his parents walking toward them, dabbing at her eyes.” I hope those are tears of joy...”

“Of course they are,” Hermione threw her arms around her son.” Oh Ethan I’m so proud of you.”

“Thanks, Mum,” Ethan said hugging her tightly.” And thanks for the cottage—”

“What’s that?” Maddie asked.

“Mads---you won't believe this,” Ethan said.” Mum and Dad gave us their old cottage as a wedding present...”

“Are you kidding?” Maddie was shocked.” That's... that's...”

“Good news, I hope,” Harry joked giving his new daughter-in-law a hug.

“You okay with this?” Saffron asked Julie.

Julie nodded.” Mum and Dad were more than generous when Nick and I were married.”

“Perfect Ethan,” Saffron joked.

Julie nudged her little sister.” You promised to be nice today,” she teased.

“I am,” Saffron said nudging her back.” Ethan was the one that threw me out of the room earlier. And I think he overreacted.”

“He was so nervous,” Julie said.” But I’m sure he's fine now. Come on let's go say congratulations.”

Saffron followed her sister through the crowd.

“If you would both stop fawning over the Golden Boy,” Saffron said to her parents.” Jules and I would like to say congratulations.”

“Thanks Saf,” Ethan said but he was grinning.” I knew you'd be happy for me.”

Saffron hugged him.” Congratulations, Ethan.”

“It’s your turn next you know,” Ethan hugged his sister.” And Dad will be a right sobbing mess.”

“I could just run off and elope,” Saffron said with a smirk.

“You’d never do that,” Maddie hugged her new sister in law.

“Welcome to our crazy family,” Saffron said with a grin.

“You’ve already pretty much been a part of it for years now,” Julie also hugged her.” But now it's official.”

Maddie beamed at them.” Two more sisters.”

“Just what you need right?” Julie teased before Frankie ran over.

“Maddie!” Frankie squealed.” Or should I say Mrs. Potter?”

“Mrs. Potter sounds fabulous,” Maddie hugged her best friend.” Thank you soooo much for everything Frankie!”

“You’re welcome,” Frankie said beaming at her.” You look beautiful and your new husband cleans up well, too.”

“He does doesn't he?” Maddie laughed as Ethan spun her around again.

Maddie giggled.” You know, I just might think you're happy, Ethan...”

“I am more than happy,” he told her.” I don't even think I could describe how I’m feeling at the moment.”

“I know,” Maddie said smiling at him before giving him a kiss.

Nick laughed as he watched Katie twirling in her gown.” Katherine---”

“Don’t I look pretty Daddy?” she asked.” I’m never taking this gown off, not ever!”

“You look beautiful, baby,” Nick said.” But you can't wear that gown all the time.”

“Maybe just for the rest of the day then,” Katie conceded.

“I think that would be fine,” Nick said picking her up and spinning her around.” I’m proud of you, Katie Rose.”

“How come?” she asked, giggling.

“ Because you and your sister haven't fought once today and you did such a good job as a flower girl,” Nick said pecking her on the cheek.

“ We're trying really hard,” Katie said.

“ Your Mum and I appreciate that,” Nick said tweaking her nose.

Greta tapped her former charge on the shoulder.” Who is this handsome young man before me?”

“ Greta!” Ethan exclaimed giving her a big hug.

“ Congratulations sweetheart,” Greta said.” You and Maddie make a lovely couple.”

“ Do you remember at Chiaki's wedding when I hid from her?” Ethan asked her.

“ Of course I do,” Greta chuckled.

“ And you kept telling me to be a good boy,” Ethan said laughing.” I finally listened to you.”

“ Good thing you did,” Greta kissed his cheek.” I’m so happy for you both.”

“ Thanks,” Ethan said.” And you better save me a dance at the reception...”

“ If you don't mind me stepping on your feet,” Greta joked before moving on.

“ Saf!” Andrew called out, holding up his hand.

“ Andrew!” she squealed.” I couldn't find you before the ceremony!”

“ I was running late,” he apologised.” You look beautiful!”

“ Thanks,” she gave him Ha kiss.” And you look so handsome!”

“ This old thing?” Andrew asked holding up his tie.” It was the first thing I pulled out of the closet.”

“ Well you look fantastic,” Saffron still had her arms around him.

“ You sure are brave,” RJ said clapping his best friend on the back.” Her dad is just a few inches away.”

“ Shut up RJ,” Saffron said.” We're not being indecent.”

“ Yet,” RJ joked.” Have you seen Alexa?”

Andrew nodded.” I was standing with her before. She was going to put Blue inside and then she was going to come back out here.”

“ Okay,” RJ turned away.

“ I wanted to go and check on my Gran,” Saffron said to her boyfriend.” Would you come with me?”

“ Sure,” he said.

Saffron smiled and took his hand.” Mum said she was probably still sitting with Nana and Grandpa Arthur.”

Andrew followed his girlfriend over to where the seats were still set out.

“ Hi Gran,” Saffron said.” How are you feeling?”

Elinore smiled at her granddaughter.” Very happy for your big brother, Saffron Grace.”

“ I can't believe Maddie went through with it,” Saffron said dramatically.

Elinore chuckled.” Well, love makes you do crazy things.”

“ That it does,” Saffron grinned at Andrew.

“ I need to go and find your grandfather,” Elinore said.” He wants to dance with Julie on her wedding day.”

Saffron's smile faded.” Gran...it's Ethan's wedding day remember?”

“ Hermione!” Elinore said with a grin.” Ethan's a little too young to be getting married!”

Saffron forced herself to remain calm.” Gran how about we go get you something to drink? A nice cold glass of water?”

“ I’ll go and get that,” Andrew offered.” And I’ll get your Mum, too.”

“ Thanks Andrew,” Saffron said gratefully.

Elinore leaned back in her chair.” Hermione, you couldn't have asked for a more lovely day. And Julie was a beautiful bride.”

“ Gran please listen to me,” Saffron took her hand.” It's Ethan and Maddie's wedding day. We were just talking about it a few minutes ago.”

Elinore stared at Saffron.” Saffron?”

“ That's right Gran,” Saffron said encouragingly.

“ I’m so sorry,” she said wiping at her eyes.” I don't think I took my medication today...”

“ It's okay now,” Saffron said gently.” Mum carries your medicine with her and Andrew will be back in a moment with some water for you.”

Elinore nodded and squeezed Saffron's hand.

A few moments later, Hermione hurried toward them with Andrew in tow.

“ Here's your water, Dr. Granger?” Andrew asked handing her the cup.” Ice cold.”

“ Thank you,” Elinore took it gratefully.” Hermione I’m so sorry-I got confused this morning and--”

“ It's okay, Mum,” Hermione said taking a seat on the other side of her mother. She reached into her handbag and pulled out a bottle of pills.” It's been a hectic last couple of days.”

“ It has,” Elinore took the pill and swallowed it down.

“ You okay, Saffy?” Andrew asked putting his hand on her shoulder.

“ I’m fine,” she said, getting back up.” Thanks for doing that Andrew.”

“ No problem,” Andrew said giving her a hug.

“ I’m so sorry,” Elinore said wiping at her eyes.” I didn't remember about my pills...”

“ It's okay Mum,” Hermione said.” We picked you up so early this morning I’m sure it just skipped your mind. Harry and I didn't remember either.”

“ Don't tell Ethan and Maddie about this,” Elinore said.” I don't want anything to take away from their special day...”

“ None of us will say a word,” Hermione promised.” Come on, let's go see the newlyweds.”

Elinore nodded.” I’m so proud of my whole family.”

“ We're all proud of you too,” Hermione took her mother's arm as they rose.

Saffron leaned against Andrew.” I worry about her so much.”

“ It's a sign that you care,” Andrew kissed the side of her head.

“ I’d do anything for her,” Saffron said.” It's what my Grandpa would want.”

“ That's right,” Andrew smiled at her.” And it's one of the reasons I love you.”

Saffron smiled back at him and they followed Elinore and Hermione back onto the dais where Ethan and Maddie were being photographed.

“ Everything okay?” Harry asked his wife.

“ It is now,” Hermione said quietly.” Mum forgot her medicine this morning.”

Harry put an arm around her.” It's been a crazy day.”

“ Crazy but wonderful,” Hermione looked at her son and daughter in law.” I can't believe our little man is married now.”

“ And he'll be just as miserable as his old man,” Harry joked causing Hermione to elbow him in the ribs.” Ouch! Only kidding!”

“ Better be,” she said but she was smiling.

The photographer instructed Ethan to give Maddie a kiss.

“ Chaste kiss,” Justin chimed in.” Nice, church kiss.”

Sarah hit him in the shoulder.” Unlike you, who practically groped me.”

“ I’m sorry Pookie,” Justin said wrapping an arm around his wife.

“ Hey I’ll have none of that here,” Ethan called out.

“ We did promise him,” Sarah said.

“ Promise me too,” Bree chimed in.

“ You lot are just jealous,” Justin said smugly.

“ Come on wookie pookie doo,” Ethan said In a smartass tone to his new wife.” Let's go into the bally wally room.”

Maddie groaned.” Please don't ever say that to me ever again.”

Ethan laughed.” Just showing them how ridiculous it sounds.”

“ It sounds stupid when you do it,” Justin said.” It's cute when Sarah and I do it.”

“ If you say so,” Ethan rolled his eyes.” Just spare us today.”

“ Deal,” Justin replied.

Drew and Darla stood off to the side watching as the photographer finished up.

“ All the guests are in the ballroom,” Darla told her sister.

“ All right,” Maddie said.” Do we get to eat soon? I’m starving.”

Darla laughed.” Yes, Mads.”

“ Good,” Maddie grinned at her sister.

“ The plan is for us to have the meal first and then you and Ethan will have your first dance,” Drew said.” And then, you'll dance with Dad and Ethan will dance with his mother....”

“ Sounds good to me,” Maddie replied.” And I know it sounds good to Dad.”

“ Dad's already snuck a couple of dinner rolls,” Drew said with a grin.

“ Mad!” Emma squealed running toward her aunt.” Mad look pretty!!”

“ Hi Em,” Maddie hugged her goddaughter.” You are a very beautiful flower girl!”

“ Hold!” Emma said holding her arms up.

“ How about you let your new uncle hold you, gorgeous?” Ethan scooped her up.

Emma giggled and wrapped her arms around Ethan's neck.

“ Could we get a photo of this?” Maddie asked the photographer.” Of Ethan, me and the flower girls?”

“ Of course,” the photographer replied.

Katie, Caroline and Ashley came forward. Ethan held Emma, while Caroline and Katie stood in front of the couple. Ashley stood beside her uncle.

“ Perfect,” the photographer said.” Everyone smile for me please.”

“ They're so cute!” Saffron exclaimed.

RJ laughed.” Weren't you all over Julie at her wedding Saf?”

Saffron glared at him.” I was a baby and so were you.”

Alexa nudged RJ.” Were you a fairy for Julie's wedding?” she asked innocently.

“ NO!” RJ retorted.” Lex!”

“ I couldn't resist,” she giggled before giving him a kiss.

He played with the strap of her pale yellow dress.” You coming back to my place afterwards?”

“ If you still want me to,” she said softly.

“ What do you think?” he asked smiling at her.

“ I think I’m already there,” she whispered.

“ Okay, everyone!” Darla announced.” It's time to make our entrance into the ballroom. Bridal party goes first and then the bride and groom.”

“ Em up here,” Caroline motioned.” You get to walk in with us!”

“ Stay with Mad!” Emma said stubbornly.” Peas?”

“ I think it'll be okay,” Maddie looked at her sisters.” It's not a big deal is it?”

Darla shook her head.” Kind of cute actually.”

“ Yay!” Emma squealed grinning at Ethan who was still holding her.

“ Just don't upstage me, Em,” Ethan teased.

“ What's that?” Emma asked.

“ Well with you being so cute and adorable, no one is going to notice me,” Ethan explained.

“ Oh,” Emma nodded.” Kay.”

Maddie giggled.” I’m glad you're going to hang with us, Em.”

“ Em hang,” Emma laughed as her sister, Ashley and Katie went into the ballroom.

While they waited, Maddie looked down at the ring on her left hand. She couldn't believe she was actually married.

“ What's on your mind?” Ethan asked.” As if I didn't really know...”

“ We did it,” Maddie said smiling at him.” We're actually married. And this isn't just a dream.”

“ Not a dream,” he leaned over and kissed her.

“ Kissy face!” Emma giggled.

“ That's right Em,” Ethan laughed.” Big kissy face.”

Maddie kissed her niece on the cheek.” It's almost time to eat, Em.”

“ Eat,” Emma rubbed her stomach.” Em hungry!”

Ethan grinned.” We're about go inside and eat, baby girl.”

“ And presenting Ethan and Madeline Potter, with their flower girl Emma Weasley!” they were announced and greeted with a loud round of applause as the three of them stepped into the ballroom.

Maddie looked positively radiant as she and Ethan walked toward the head table.

“ Em go sit with Daddy?” Emma asked.” And Mummy?”

Ethan set her down and pointed her in the right direction.” They're right over there.”

“ Bye!” Emma waved and ran to her parents.

“ She is too cute,” Ethan took his wife's hand and led her to their spots at the table.

Maddie smiled.” I hope we have seven just like her.”

“ Seven?” Ethan joked.

“ Weasleys are known for having big families,” Maddie said thoughtfully.

“ We'll get started on that tonight,” he said softly before kissing her.

“ Break it up,” Justin said standing up. He motioned for everyone to be quiet.” As most of you know, I was the best man in Ethan's wedding today. Some might say that I was the better man...”

Ethan shook his head but grinned.

“ And I have known Ethan since we started Hogwarts,” Justin continued.” And we give each other a hard time, but there's no one else in this world I trust more, other than my wife, Sarah. He's found a soul mate in Maddie and I couldn’t be happier for both of them.” He raised his glass.” Congratulations, Ethan and Maddie!”

“ Congratulations!” the room echoed.

Frankie stood up.” I can't believe I have to follow that, but I love a challenge. I grew up with both Ethan and Maddie, but I never really got to know them until a couple of years ago. They were there for me at a time when I needed them most....”

Maddie smiled at her as she recalled that night Frankie had nearly been dragged out of the club by Jeff.

“ Maddie has been like a sister to me and she's become my best friend,” Frankie continued.” And Ethan's like an annoying little brother that you can't help but love...”

“ I thought you were supposed to say nice things to me during your toast,” Ethan called out.

“ Hush you,” Frankie replied before continuing.

“I wish them a lifetime of happiness and love,” Frankie said raising her glass.” Maddie, you really are my best friend and I don’t know what I’d do without you. Ethan is lucky to have you. Congratulations!”

Ethan grinned.” Can I kiss her now?”

“Be my guest,” Frankie said with a laugh.

Maddie giggled as he leaned in and gave her a gentle kiss, making the room break out into applause again.

Darla consulted her clipboard and was about to check in with the chef when someone tapped her on the shoulder. She turned around to see Hans dressed to the nines.” What are you doing here?”

123. 123!!

Authors' note: Tonight, you get part two of the wedding and then E/M leaving for the honeymoon. And another Weasley could turn Gabriel's head. Also, for those of you who've asked, we give you a list of the cast of characters ages at the end of the chapter. Please read and review.

“I missed you,” Hans said.” I pulled out of my shoot so I could be here today.”

Darla rolled her eyes.” Go away, Hans. I’m busy.”

“Dar please,” Hans caught her hand.” It's been three weeks since we talked and I’ve thought about you constantly.”

“You could have fooled me,” Darla said angrily.

He had hoped Darla would be pleased to see him but apparently that wasn't the case.” Look I’m sorry about everything I said to you that one night.”

“Is this because that tart Kendra Collins broke things off with you?” Darla asked him angrily.” I saw that cute little photograph in the Prophet.”

“We went out once to an industry party,” Hans followed her.” It was some do thrown by my agents...”

“Oh how nice,” Darla hissed.” Didn't take you long to get over me, did it?”

“That's the whole thing,” Hans protested.” I’m not over you Dar. That's why I’m here.”

Darla stared at him. He really did look gorgeous and she was tempted to take him back, but they'd just end up back where they were before.

“How did you even get in here?” she asked him.

“I sort of snuck in,” he confessed.

“You crashed my sister's wedding?” she asked incredulously.

“I had to see you,” he said sincerely.

Darla looked down at her feet. Hans stepped closer and was about to tilt her chin up when one of the caterers interrupted.

“Miss Weasley?” the woman asked.” Is it okay if we begin serving? There's a really impatient guest with red hair like yours who keeps asking us...”

“That would be my father,” Darla replied.” He's probably just hungry... go ahead and start.”

The caterer nodded before walking away.

“There are place cards on the tables,” Hans said.” I don't have anywhere to sit...”

Darla hesitated a moment.” Well since you came... we can make room at the head table. That's were Drew and I are sitting since we're bridesmaids.”

Hans smiled.” I’d like that.”

“Look I don't want you to read too much into it,” Darla replied cautiously.

“I won't,” he took her hand and kissed the back of it.” I really did miss you Dar.”

“Yes, well,” Darla said pulling her hand away.” We'd better go and sit down.”

Hans followed her to the table.” Hi Drew, Brian.” he nodded to them.

Brian stood up to shake his friend's hand.” Good to see you, mate.”

“You too,” Hans smiled at him. He moved over to congratulate Ethan and Maddie and Drew looked at her twin with her eyebrow raised.

“He crashed the wedding,” Darla explained.” This doesn't mean we're back together. It means that I’m not going to use my sister's wedding to make a scene.”

“Still, he showed up.” Drew shrugged.” I think that should count for something, right?”

“We'll see,” Darla said turning to see her parents staring at her with much the same look on their faces as Drew.

“It's okay,” she motioned to them.

At the children's table, Katie was talking excitedly to Caroline.” When I get married, I’m going to have more people than this. And my dress is going to be sooooooooooo pretty. I’m going to look like a real faerie princess.”

“You should wear a really pretty tiara,” Caroline agreed.” And your hair like Aunt Maddie's!”

“I think her hair would look nice up too,” Ashley commented.” With little tendrils. Kind of like how Mum's is today...”

“No I’d wear it down,” Katie looked dismissively at her sister.

Ashley sighed. She was really trying to make an effort to be nicer to her younger sister, but Katie didn't seem to want to help.

“Your hair looks really pretty today, Ashley,” Caroline said.

“Thanks, Caroline;” Ashley said smiling across the table at the younger girl.” It's a French twist.”

“Did your Mummy do it?” Caroline asked.” My mummy did mine this morning.”

Ashley nodded.” She fixed mine and Katie's.”

“Daddy said mine was the prettiest of all the girls,” Katie said smugly.

“He told me that too,” Ashley returned.

Katie rolled her eyes.” Whatever...”

Ashley rolled her eyes as well and pressed her lips together.

“I can't wait until they start the music and we get to dance!” Caroline said.” That's going to be so much fun!”

“We can see if they have one of the songs from our recital,” Katie turned so her sister was exonerated from the conversation.” And we can show everyone how good we dance!”

“Ash, you're going to dance with us, right?” Caroline asked.

“Maybe,” Ashley shrugged.” We'll see.”

Ron smiled expectantly as the waiter came to their table.

“Sir would you like chicken or fish?” he asked.

“Both,” Ron said happily.” And be really generous with the helpings...”

“Ronald,” Luna nudged him, laughing.

“Hey, Harry is paying.” Ron replied.” Give me two servings of each, actually.”

“How about we just set up a trough in the back and you can just dive in?” Harry asked his friend.

“I’m all for that,” Ron shot back with a grin.” I’ve only had six dinner rolls, two salads, and a helping of beef so far today. I’m starved!”

“They just started serving, Ronald,” Luna asked.” How did you---”

“I had to make sure they had everything ready in the kitchen earlier,” Ron replied.

“The official taster?” Hermione asked shaking her head.

“You got it,” Ron beamed.” In fact, I’ll have three helpings of each. Generous helpings, please.”

“Yes, sir,” the waiter said.

“You're going to make yourself sick,” Luna said.

“Nah it's a special day,” Ron sat back as champagne was poured for all the adults.

“I’ve never seen Maddie look so happy,” Luna said looking toward the head table where her daughter was beaming at Ethan.

“That's all I can really ask for,” Ron gazed over as well.” She's grinning from ear to ear.”

“Ethan's the same way,” Hermione said tearing up. She reached for Harry's handkerchief.” Oh, here I go again...”

Harry was amused at his wife's theatrics but he kept it carefully hidden.

“And we'll get to go through this two more times,” Luna told her husband.” When Drew and Darla get married.”

“I hope not,” Ron joked.

“Ronald!” Luna exclaimed.

“I didn't mean it like that,” Ron said hastily.

“I can't even imagine going through this with Saffron,” Harry said.” I’ll be a right mess.”

“More than I am right now,” Hermione wiped her eyes.

“She's my little girl,” Harry said defensively.” Ron knows firsthand what that's like. Right, mate?”

“Definitely,” Ron agreed.” It nearly killed me to give her away.”

“You did just fine,” Luna said resting her head on Ron's shoulder.” And you looked so handsome!”

“I did, didn’t I?” Ron asked with a grin.

Luna nodded and sighed happily.

“Hello!” a shrill voice said from behind them.” Ronald Weasley, you look good enough to eat!”

“Parvati?” Ron asked.” What are you doing here?”

“I was invited, wasn't I?” Parvati did a little spin so they could all see her robes, which were rather tight.” Madeline did say everyone at the office could come.”

“How nice of her,” Hermione mumbled.” Um, Parvati Patil, I’d like you to meet my mother, this is Dr. Elinore Granger.”

“It's very lovely to meet you,” Elinore nodded politely.

“Nice to meet you,” Parvati said warmly. She scanned the rest of the table and gasped when she saw Gabriel talking to his father.” Oh my God! It’s like being transported back into time! You are the spitting image of Seamus Finnigan.”

Gabriel stared bemusedly at the woman.” I should hope so. He is my dad.”

“Seamus I simply cannot BELIEVE you have a son,” Parvati sat down in the seat next to him, failing to notice Lavender's name card in front of the plate.

“Gabe, this is Parvati Patil,” Seamus explained to his son.” She went to school with me.”

“Nice to meet you,” Gabriel put his hand out.

“Isn't he polite?” Parvati asked shaking Gabriel's hand. She turned her attention back to Seamus.” I do hope you'll save me dance. You too, Harry!”

“I uh... we'll see...” Harry said lamely.

Lavender returned from saying hello to a couple of old friends and her jaw nearly hit the floor when she saw who was sitting in her chair.

“Can I help you?” she asked in an icy tone.

“I was just talking to your handsome husband and stepson,” Parvati said sweetly.” Don't you look lovely, Lavender. And you're wearing the colour Lavender, too! How cute!”

“Yes I know,” Lavender said coolly.” You're in my seat.”

“Oh,” Parvati said standing up.” I’m so sorry.”

Without so much as another word to the woman, Lavender sat down and turned her back.

Parvati tossed her hair back.” I’ll see you boys later. Ta-ta!”

“What on earth is she doing here?” Lavender rolled her eyes.” That woman has an uncanny knack of sticking her head in where she's not wanted.”

“She's really good at that,” Elinore said grinning at her niece.

“Anyway,” Lavender tossed her hair.” Maddie looks just gorgeous today.”

“You did a lovely job on her dress, Lavender,” Elinore said proudly.

“Thanks Aunt Elinore,” Lavender beamed.” She's a perfect model.”

“Here comes the food!” Ron exclaimed practically bouncing in his seat

“He's like a three year old,” Harry said with a pointed glance at Emma, who was behaving similarly.

“I don't even know where to start,” Ron said rubbing his hands together as the waiter set a plate in front of him.

“This all looks delicious,” Maddie was looking eagerly at her own plate.” Yours does too.”

“You're not going to eat off my plate, are you?” Ethan asked.” Mads...”

“Come on Ethan,” she gave him a sweet smile.” We're married now!”

“What's mine is yours and all that?” Ethan teased.

“Absolutely,” she leaned in and gave him a kiss.

“Okay,” Ethan said picking up a fork and handing it to her.” Go ahead...”

“We can share,” she laughed.

“You're sickeningly sweet,” Frankie said with a laugh.

“You were the same way,” Ethan reminded her.” On your wedding day you and Will were lip locked the entire time.”

“I never said we didn't,” Frankie said winking at her husband.

“I’m so excited about tonight,” Maddie said in a low voice as they ate.” Just you and me Ethan... and we don't have to stop.”

Ethan grinned at her.” Which one of those little nightgowns are you going to wear for me tonight?”

“You're going to have to wait and see, Mr. Potter.” her heart fluttered as his grin got bigger.

“I can't wait,” Ethan said leaning in for another kiss.

“We really haven't eaten all day,” Saffron told Andrew.” We all had bagels this morning around seven but that feels so long ago now.”

“Maddie stayed here last night with all of you?” Andrew asked.” Like a big slumber party?”

“Something like that,” Saffron nodded.” Frankie hired this guy to come in and dance. It was hilarious.”

Andrew nearly choked on his water.” I beg your pardon?”

“This guy came in and danced,” Saffron replied.” Frankie had Maddie sit in the middle of the room and the guy was down to almost nothing. I’ve never seen anyone turn so red.”

“You watched some bloke take his clothes off?” Andrew asked her.

“He didn't even look my way once,” Saffron replied.” And he was only wearing some tight trousers to begin with.”

“How degrading,” Andrew said shaking his head.

“I thought it was pretty amusing, actually.” Saffron didn't notice the look on his face.

“So,” Andrew said.” What if RJ and I went to the Veela Snatch some night...”

“The Veela Snatch is nothing but a disgusting seedy place,” Saffron replied.

“I heard that your Dad had his stag night there,” Andrew said.

“He did,” Saffron nodded.” Mum wasn't happy about it but apparently some girl there was trying to get all over him and he pushed her away.”

“And you didn't hold it against him, did you, when you found out?” Andrew asked.

“Of course not,” Saffron pulled a confused face.” What's this all about?”

Andrew shrugged.” Nothing...”

“Are you angry with me over last night?” she asked.

“No,” Andrew said.” I just don't like to think of you watching some bloke take his clothes off is all.”

Saffron set her fork down and smiled at him.” Would it make you feel any better if I told you I imagined it was you the whole time?” she asked softly.

“A little,” Andrew admitted.

“Just a little?” she asked, slipping her hand onto his thigh under the table.

Andrew grinned.” Lots better.”

“Oi, Saffron!” Ethan called out.” Behave! You don't want me to get Dad!”

“Shut up Ethan!” Saffron grew red when she realised her brother had seen the whole thing.

“Saffron Grace,” Ethan said in a sing-song voice.” She's going to be sucking face...”

“Ethan,” Maddie nudged her husband.

“I had to do it,” Ethan said with a wicked grin.

“Better watch it or you won't make it until tonight,” Saffron threatened.

“Says the girl who can't do magic out of school,” Ethan cackled.

“My boyfriend can,” she retorted.

“Andrew wouldn't do that,” Ethan said.

“Ethan come on,” Maddie placed a hand on his.” Let's not get into an argument.”

“Listen to your wife, Ethan,” Saffron said glaring at him.

“You'll save me a dance right Saf?” he teased.

“Yeah, I’ll step on your toes,” Saffron said sweetly.

“Look!” Maddie said nudging her husband.” Your dad---”

They all turned to see Harry standing in front of the stage.” As most of you know,” he began.” I am the father of the groom...”

“Uh oh,” Ethan said but he was grinning.

“And I couldn't be more proud,” Harry said smiling at his son and daughter-in-law.” Hermione and I are so happy for him and Maddie and we wish them well as they begin their new life together.”

“Thanks Dad,” Ethan said with a grin. Maddie was busy wiping at her eyes with a tissue.

“And we hope everyone continues to have a good time,” Harry continued.” Ron hasn't eaten everything...yet.”

“Yet!” Ron echoed, holding up his glass and making everyone laugh.

Harry laughed.” I’d like to ask for Ethan and Maddie to come up here and have their first dance.”

“Are you ready?” Ethan asked, taking his wife's hand.

Maddie nodded and couldn't stop smiling as he led her out onto the dance floor.

Aware that all eyes were on them, Ethan wrapped his arms around her and pulled her close.” I’ve been very bad-I don't think I’ve told you once just how stunning you look today.”

Maddie looked dreamily at him.” Thank you. So do you.”

“I was in a little bit of shock when I saw you,” he said softly.” Walking down the aisle- you looked like something out of a dream.”

“I felt the same way when I saw you,” Maddie whispered.

Ethan gave her a kiss.” And now we have the next two weeks to spend just together... no one to bother us.”

“I can't wait,” Maddie said dreamily.

Alexa leaned against RJ.” They look so happy together,” she sighed.

RJ smiled and wrapped his arms around her waist.” They've been through a lot.”

“Yeah,” she said.” I’m so glad we got to be here. It's been such a romantic wedding.”

RJ rested his chin on her shoulder.” Romantic...”

Alexa thought about how sweet RJ had been lately.” And it's always great being with you,” she whispered.

“I love you,” RJ said nuzzling her neck.

“I love you too,” she said.

Gabriel noticed them standing together and tried not to look as RJ wound his arms around her waist. He'd tried to keep some distance between them as to not make her uncomfortable and they'd only shared a few words since the ceremony.

“How you holding up, son?” Seamus asked him.

“Fine,” Gabriel smiled at his father.” Lavender did a bang-up job on that dress.” he nodded at the bride.

Seamus nodded.” She did. Wedding dresses are one of her specialties.”

“Obviously,” Gabriel said with a grin.

“Never easy to watch someone you care about with someone else,” Seamus said.

“I’m fine,” Gabriel said.” Really...I’m just glad she's happy.”

“You should ask her to dance,” Seamus said.” It would be a shame to waste all of Saffron's training...”

“Maybe,” Gabriel shrugged.” I don't want to cause a rift between the two of them. RJ already doesn't like me.”

“She said she still wanted to be friends, right?” Seamus asked.

“Well yeah but--”

“Hi, Gabe,” Alexa said from behind him.” Mr. Finnigan.”

“Hello, Alexa,” Seamus said smiling at her.” Lovely to see you again.”

“You too,” Alexa said shyly.” Are you both having a good time?”

“Aye,” Seamus said.” In fact, I think I’m going to go and say hello to an old friend. Be right back, son.”

“Okay,” Gabriel said nodding.

“I’m sorry I haven't come over to see you until now,” Alexa apologised.

“It's okay,” Gabriel said motioning for her to sit down.” I know you've been busy.”

“Yeah just a little,” Alexa replied.” I don't want to neglect you though. You're leaving in a few days.”

Gabriel nodded.” I’m going to be really busy with school so I don't think I’ll be coming back to England anytime soon.”

“ Maybe me and Saffron can come visit you in California,” Alexa suggested shyly.” And you can show us around.”

“Yeah, maybe,” Gabriel said quietly.

“I mean it,” she said.” I know it's not what you want to hear, but I want us to stay friends.”

“Friends,” Gabriel repeated.” At least you didn't say you thought of me like a brother...”

“I’ll keep my mouth shut then,” she joked.

“I don't know if I can just be your friend, Alexa,” Gabriel said honestly.

“Oh,” she answered softly.

He stood up.” So, I guess it would be best for everyone if we just said goodbye now.”

“Gabe...” she said quietly.

He gave her a slight smile.” Good luck with school and thanks for being----thanks for being my friend.”

“I’ll always be your friend, Gabe.” Alexa promised.” I wish things didn't have to be this way.”

“Yeah,” Gabriel said.” I’m going to go find my dad....”

“Are you okay?” Saffron came up behind her friend.” What were you talking to Gabe about?”

“I think I made things worse,” Alexa said watching him walk away.

“How?” Saffron asked.

“I told him I hoped we could still be friends and he said he didn't know if he could just be my friend,” Alexa explained.” And he said it would be best if we just said goodbye now.”

“Wow I guess he took things harder than I thought,” Saffron said.” I’m sorry Lex.”

Alexa nodded.” I made a mess of this.”

Saffron put a comforting arm around her.” At least things are okay with RJ right?”

“Things are great,” Alexa said.” I’m going over there after the wedding actually.”

Saffron's eyes widened.” What are you going to do?” she asked in a hushed voice.” Are you going to...?”

“I don't know,” Alexa whispered.” Maybe...”

“Wow,” Saffron replied.” That's so...”

“We're going to see how things go,” Alexa said.” And I kind of told my mum and dad I was staying with you...”

“I’ll cover for you if they ring,” Saffron promised.

“Thanks,” Alexa said.” Let's go find---”

Her words were cut off as she saw Gabriel dancing with a pretty blonde-haired girl. Saffron followed her friend's gaze.” That's Danielle. Bill and Fleur's youngest.”

“She's really pretty,” Alexa said ignoring the slight stab of jealousy.

“She's part Veela like her mother,” Saffron said.” But she lives in France, so I wouldn't make too much of it.”

“It's fine with me,” Alexa shrugged.” Where did RJ and Andrew go?”

“Andrew asked Ashley if she wanted to dance,” Saffron said.” I think my niece has a bit of crush, actually.”

“That's cute,” Alexa said with a grin.” Although I can’t blame her.”

“I know,” Saffron said.” Look, there they are---”

The two girls laughed as Andrew tried to dip Ashley back.” He's not that great at dancing but I love him for trying,” Saffron said fondly.

“That is the sweetest thing I’ve ever seen,” Alexa said grinning.

Meanwhile, the happy couple was still dancing in the middle of the floor.

“Okay, Mads---you ready?” Ethan asked.

“For what?” she asked.

“You remember our one-two--cha-cha-cha, right?” Ethan asked winking at her.

“Here?” she asked with a laugh.

“It's our signature move,” Ethan said extending his arm.” Ready?”

“ Ready as you are,” Maddie replied with a grin.

Ethan was laughing as he and Maddie did an impromptu cha-cha across the dance floor.” One-two---”

“Cha- cha-cha,” they said together.

“Those two,” Julie realised instantly what they were doing and laughed.” Do you remember that Nick?”

Nick nodded.” Who knew back then that they'd be doing that so many years later as husband and wife?”

“It was all she could do at the time to get him to dance with her,” Julie leaned against her husband of many years now.

“Well, he finally wised up,” Nick said spinning his wife around.

“Now I guess we just have to hope that Saffron will make as good a choice as both Ethan and I did,” Julie grinned at him.

“I think she's well on her way,” Nick said motioning to where Andrew had finished dancing with Ashley.” Nice kid to ask Ash to dance.”

“He is really nice,” Julie agreed.” Mum and Dad really like him. And Saffy is head over heels for him.”

“Hopefully, they'll be as happy as you and me,” Nick said giving her a kiss.

“I think so,” Julie kissed him again.” Hard not to be happy when you've got such a fantastic husband...”

“And two daughters who, for once, aren't at each other's throats,” Nick said.

“Let's be thankful it's holding out this long,” Julie laughed as he dipped her back.

Ashley smiled shyly at Andrew as he led her back over to the table where her sister and Caroline were.” Thanks, Andrew.”

“You're very welcome Ashley,” Andrew grinned at her.” I’d like to dance again later if you don't mind me stepping on your feet some more.”

“Really?” Ashley asked.” Sure!”

Andrew grinned at Caroline.” Your dad was looking for you. He wanted to see if you'd dance with him.”

“He was?” Caroline brightened.” I’m going to find him!”

Andrew waved goodbye at Ashley before following Caroline.

Ashley practically floated back to her seat.

Katie leaned back in her chair.” What are you so happy about?”

“I just had a lot of fun dancing,” Ashley blushed.

“You know he didn't really want to dance with you,” Katie said.” I bet Aunt Saffy made him do it.”

Ashley stopped smiling.” He wouldn't have done it if he didn't really want to,” she said.

Katie shrugged.” I bet she'd promised him she'd give him sweets if he danced with you.”

“Shows how much you know,” Ashley retorted.” Aunt Saffy doesn't have to promise people sweets to get them to do things.”

“What's that mean?” Katie asked hotly.

“Look,” Ashley reeled in her temper.” I don't want to fight with you today, okay?”

“Well, I don't want to sit with you,” Katie said standing up.” I’m going to go find Grandma.”

“Fine,” Ashley leaned back and watched her sister leave.

“Hey, Ash,” Saffron said sitting down beside her niece.” Everything okay?”

Ashley nodded.” Aunt Saffy can I ask you something?”

“Sure,” Saffron replied.” What's up?”

“Did you ask Andrew to dance with me?” Ashley was curious.” Or did he come over by himself?”

Saffron smiled reassuringly at her niece.” He had such a good time with you and me when we were at Brighton. And he thought you'd like to dance with him. I promise, Ash .I didn't tell him to do it.”

“Thanks Aunt Saffy,” Ashley's smile returned.” He's not a bad dancer. Did you show him how?”

Saffron giggled.” I might have showed him a thing or two.”

“You're good just like Grandma and Grandpa,” Ashley said wistfully.” I wish I was too...”

“Ash let me tell you something,” Saffron put an arm around her niece.” You are going to do so well in whatever you decide to do. You're smart, pretty and headstrong.”

Ashley smiled up at her aunt.” I’d like to teach art someday. I’ve been helping Emma with her drawing. She goes outside of the lines, but she's really good with picking colours that go together.”

“See,” Saffron grinned at her.” I mean you're ten years old and already thinking of what you want to do when you grow up.”

“Did you always know you wanted to play Quidditch?” Ashley asked.

“Yeah,” Saffron said.” Dad sometimes says I was born on a broom.”

Ashley laughed.” You're so great at it. I’m really glad that when I go to Hogwarts next year that you'll be there. It’ll be nice to already have a friend there.”

“And I’ll make sure no one gives you a hard time,” Saffron nudged her.” By then I’ll surely be Head Girl. We'll have so much fun Ash.”

Ashley beamed at her aunt. She had always looked up to Saffron and had thought of her more as a friend than an aunt.

“It'll be nice to be away from Katie,” Ashley admitted.” I’ve tried to be nicer to her, but she just makes it impossible...”

“Your mum told me you've been trying really hard lately to get along,” Saffron said.

“I’ve even volunteered to help her with the summer reading her teacher assigned,” Ashley said.” But she tells me no every, single time.”

“It's all right,” Saffron reassured her.” I think it's really cool that you're trying.”

“Here she comes,” Ashley said as her sister came back over to join them.” Aunt Maddie and Uncle Ethan are going to cut their wedding cake soon.”

“I want a huge piece,” Saffron grinned.” Maddie made sure it's a chocolate cake.”

“Do you think Aunt Maddie will try and smash it in Ethan's face?” Ashley asked with a giggle.

“I wouldn't be surprised if Ethan smashed it in Maddie's.” Saffron laughed.” Come on you two let's go get front row seats.”

“Okay,” Katie said tossing her hair over her shoulder.

Ashley caught her aunt's eye and behind Katie's back, did a near perfect imitation.

Saffron covered her mouth with her hand to stifle her laughter.” Come on, guys.”

Andrew joined them as they went over where the massive cake was displayed. Ron was already waiting there with a fork and plate in hand.

“Dad, where did you get that?” Drew asked.” They haven't brought those cake plates out yet!”

“I come prepared,” Ron said with a grin.

“Daddy, don't ever change!” Drew said giving him a hug.

“I don't plan on it,” Ron kissed his daughter's cheek.” Now come on and cut that cake-I’m starved!”

“Not up to me, Dad,” Drew said with a laugh.” Darla's gone to fetch Ethan and Maddie. They have to cut the cake.”

“Do you think anyone would miss it if I just took a wee little bit off the side?” Ron asked.

“Dad!” Drew said swatting at his hands.” Wait!”

“I can't hold out much longer,” Ron said dramatically, making Caroline and Emma giggle.

“Big cake!” Emma squealed.” Right, Gampa?”

“That's right baby,” Ron set his plate down and picked her up.” And we're going to eat it all aren't we?”

Emma nodded.” Em love cake!”

Ron kissed her cheek.” We'll get the biggest pieces,” he promised.” All right Em?”

Emma nodded happily and clapped her hands when she saw her aunt coming forward with Ethan.” Mad cut cake!”

Maddie laughed.” Are you waiting for a piece Em?”

“We both are,” Ron said with a grin.

Ethan and Maddie walked around the table where Drew handed Maddie the knife.

“Ethan put your hand over hers,” Drew instructed as Darla brought over the photographer.

“No mashing this in my face, Ethan,” Maddie whispered.

“Oh come on, just a little mashing?” Ethan asked.” It's tradition!”

“I get to mash first then,” Maddie said as they smiled for the photographer.

“Works for me,” Ethan replied with a grin.

They cut into the cake and Maddie picked up a small piece of the cake and held it up.” Open up, Mr. Potter.”

Ethan did as she said laughing as she got icing all over his mouth.

“He's a bit messy, isn’t he?” Maddie asked the guests.

“Your turn,” Ethan said, holding up a bigger piece for her.

Maddie smiled.” Okay...be nice. Don't ruin the dress...”

“Like you've ever let a piece of cake drop,” Ethan teased her.

Maddie stuck her tongue out at him.

“That's a good picture to have!” Saffron teased.

“Perfectly defines their relationship,” RJ joked.

Ethan smashed the cake in his new wife's nose.

“We shouldn't waste cake like this!” Maddie said giggling.

“Kiss me then,” he leaned in.

Maddie didn't bother wiping her face as she pressed her lips to her husband's. The photographer snapped away and everyone clapped.

“RJ!” Danielle exclaimed to her cousin.” Bonjour!”

“Hey Danielle,” RJ grinned at her.” Comment ca va?”

You can speak French?” Saffron was amazed.

“Don't look so surprised,” RJ said nudging his friend.” Most of Bill's children speak it so I’ve picked up a few things here and there.”

“Saffy,” Danielle said pecking the younger girl on the cheek.

“Hi Danielle,” Saffron grinned.” You look great!”

Danielle smiled modestly and Saffron noticed that the girl was standing beside Gabriel who seemed to be trying very hard not to look at Alexa.

“Where's Uncle Bill?” RJ asked.” I haven't seen him or Aunt Fleur all day.”

“They're around here somewhere,” Danielle brushed back her perfect blonde hair.” With my parents, who knows right?” she laughed.

“I’d like you to meet Alexa,” RJ said putting an arm around his girlfriend.” Alexa O'Leary, this is my cousin, Danielle.”

“Hi,” Alexa offered her hand politely.

Danielle smiled.” Alexa, RJ has spoken of you often!”

“Dani goes to Beauxbatons,” RJ explained. He glared at Gabriel and tried to be civil to the boy for Alexa and Saffron's sake.” Hullo, Gabe.”

“Hi RJ,” Gabriel replied.” Having a good time?”

RJ nodded and pulled Alexa even closer.” Great time.”

“Gabriel has been such a sweetheart to me,” Danielle gushed.” Apparently, he's just had his heart broken...”

Alexa dropped her glass, watching in horror as it shattered at her best friend's feet.” Saffy I’m so sorry!” she gasped.

“It's okay,” Andrew said quickly withdrawing his wand and cleaning up the mess.

“Slippery hands,” Danielle joked.

“That's me,” Alexa managed a smile.” Clumsy old Alexa.”

“Broken hearted, eh?” RJ asked coldly.

“That's a little overdramatic,” Gabriel fidgeted.

“When do you leave exactly?” RJ asked.

“Come on, RJ,” Alexa said hastily.” Let's get some cake.”

“Fine,” RJ stared at Gabriel as they brushed past.

Gabriel rolled his eyes and shook his head.” Gabe don't mind him,” Saffron said.” You're having a good time right?”

Gabriel nodded.” Yeah, how about you?”

“Loads of fun,” Saffron grinned.” Danielle, you'll let me steal my cousin away for a dance later right?”

“If you let me have him back,” Danielle said with a flirtatious wink at Gabriel.

“I’ve got my own,” Saffron linked arms with Andrew.

Danielle took Gabriel's hand and led him away.

“That was tense,” Andrew said to Saffron.

“Tell me about it,” Saffron sighed.” I understand why RJ's upset but I wish he'd let it go, even if just for today.”

“He is trying,” Andrew said in defence of his best friend.

“I know,” Saffron smiled at him as she wound her arms around him.

“You look beautiful today,” he said kissing her forehead.

“You said that already,” she grinned.” But I don't mind hearing it again.”

“You want to dance with me or you want to get some cake?” he asked her.

“I really want some cake,” she said.” But dancing with you sounds more fun right now...”

“Good answer,” he said spinning her around.” Come on, Saf...”

“You know there is one thing you haven't done properly today,” she said.

“Snogged you?” Andrew asked.

“You read my mind,” Saffron grinned.

“Let's see what I can do to rectify that,” Andrew said pulling her close.

Saffron closed her eyes as her boyfriend pressed his lips to hers. Kissing Andrew was one of her favourite things to do.

“How's that?” Andrew asked when they broke apart.” Marks out of ten?”

“Eleven,” she said dreamily.

Andrew grinned.” Who's the man?”

“For me?” Saffron giggled.” That would be you, sir.”

Andrew gave her another kiss before leading her out to the dance floor.

At the head table, Frankie was eyeing Will's cake. She had promised herself she wouldn't eat any sweets today, but that cake really, really looked good.

“Frankie?” Will asked, an amused tone to his voice.

“What?” she smiled at him.

“Would you and the cake like to be alone?” he teased.

“Can I have a bite?” she asked sweetly.

“Sure,” Will said handing her his fork.

He watched in amazement as his wife nearly devoured the piece on his plate.” Frankie!”

“It's really good,” Frankie said grinning at him.

“I’d have gotten you your own piece you know,” he chuckled.

“I didn't want my own piece,” Frankie reasoned.” I just wanted a small bite.”

“And a small bite was half my cake,” Will shook his head.

“Your worldly goods are my worldly goods,” Frankie said giving him a kiss on the cheek.

“You're lucky I love you so much,” Will teased her.

“Yes, I am,” Frankie said.” How about you get us another piece of cake then?”

“I’ll get a big piece so in case you want another small bite, I can have some too,” Will got up and headed back for the table.

She watched her husband go and thought about how happy she was. They hadn't discussed the children issue anymore and things had been great between them. Maybe, someday she would change her mind, but for now, she liked exactly how everything was.

Darla was talking to one of the members of the band when she felt a hand on her shoulder.

“Great wedding,” Hans said smiling at her.” You and Drew did a fantastic job.”

“Thank you,” Darla said guardedly.

Hans stuck his hands in his pockets as Darla turned her attention back to the bandleader. She wasn't making this easy on him at all. An idea came to him and when Darla walked away, he sprung to action. He whispered something to the bandleader and within moments, the band began to play” The Way You Look Tonight” . Darla froze in place as she recognised the song.

Hans went over to her.” Come on,” he said, taking her hand.” Please Dar?”

“You don't fight fair,” she grumbled.

“It's our song,” he said.” Dance with me… please?”

“Okay,” she said quietly.

Hans smiled as he pulled her close.

Darla rested her head on his shoulder and felt her defences melting away.

“I really have missed you,” Hans said quietly.” I wasn't just saying that.”

“That's not what the Prophet says,” Darla said quietly.” You and that tart---”

“Who listens to the Prophet?” Hans asked.” Not me...”

“I thought this shoot of yours was crucial to your career and you couldn't have gotten out of it if you'd tried?” Darla asked.

“Didn't turn out to be that crucial,” Hans admitted.” I might have embellished a little...”

“Why would you have done that?” Darla asked pulling away from him.

“I don't know,” Hans shrugged.” I don't know why I’ve done a lot of things in the past few weeks.”

“That makes two of us,” Darla said angrily.” I can't do this, Hans. It's constantly up and down with you. Who's to say in a couple of days, things aren't exactly the same?”

“We don't have to let them be that way,” Hans said.” Please Dar...I don't want us to break up. I love you all right? I love being with you.”

“I love you too, but sometimes that's not enough,” she said trying to stave off her tears.” You haven't been there for me...”

“That's going to change,” he promised.” I swear.”

“Hans--” Darla started to say, but her words were cut off when he kissed her.

He cupped her face in his hands, knowing she wanted to pull away but not letting her.

Instinctively, she wrapped her arms around his waist and finally gave into the kiss.

“He certainly isn't wasting any time,” Drew remarked from just off the side of the dance floor.

“He loves her,” Brian said squeezing her hand.

“I just want her to be happy,” Drew leaned against him.” Happy as I am with you.”

“If she gives him a chance, I think she will,” Brian said.” He's been miserable without her.”

“I didn't realise you'd been in touch with him,” Drew said.

“He owled me about a week ago and we went out round the pub one evening,” Brian replied.

“Drowning your sorrows?” Drew teased.

“He was,” Brian tightened his arm around her.” I have none.”

“Me either,” Drew said dreamily.

“Come on,” Brian said.” We haven't had our chance to show off yet.”

“Dance!” Drew exclaimed.” We have to make it a quick one. Maddie's going to be throwing her bouquet soon.”

“All right,” he laughed as she tugged on his hand.

“Where are you and Aunt Maddie going on your honeymoon?” Katie asked her uncle.

“We're going to the Caribbean, Katie Bear,” Ethan replied.

“Where's that?” Katie asked.” Is it in London?”

“It's over near America,” Maddie told her.

“What do you do on a honeymoon?” Caroline asked innocently.

Jon nearly choked on his champagne.” Um, Angel Girl, It's just a holiday really. People who get married go on them.”

“Then why don't they just call it a holiday?” Caroline asked curiously.

“Well,” Jon said trying to choose his words carefully.” Because...well...Josh...Care to help me out?”

“Because it's just special, for people who get married,” Josh told his niece.” Everyone who gets married goes on one.”

“Did you go on one?” Caroline asked her uncle.

“Yes I did,” Josh replied.” So did your Daddy and Mummy.”

“Where did you go, Daddy?” Caroline asked.

“The first time we just went back to my flat,” Jon replied.

“But that's not a holiday,” Caroline was baffled.

“It was,” Jon argued.

Caroline put her hands on her hips.” But you didn't go anywhere, Daddy.”

Lizzy looked at Allison.” You're just going to watch as he digs himself into a hole?”

“It's sort of funny,” Allison said with a grin.

“Uncle Jon, where did you go on the second honeymoon?” Katie asked.” You said the first one you just went home. Where did you go on the second one? And why did you get two?”

“Because Allie and I are extra special,” Jon said with a grin.

Josh guffawed.” Girls, let me just tell you something about extra special Jon Weasley. You see, what he did was...”

“Sweep me off my feet,” Allison interrupted.” Jon Weasley is very romantic.”

“And that's why he and Allie had two honeymoons,” Maddie said grinning at her big brother.

“Thanks, Mad Dog,” Jon said.

“I bet we're extra special too,” Ethan drawled.” Bet we get three honeymoons.”

“Four,” Maddie corrected.

“Four works for me,” Ethan grinned wickedly.

“And we get started tonight,” Maddie said dreamily.

“Finally,” Ethan whispered in her ear.

Nearly an hour later, Maddie and Ethan went upstairs to change clothes. They'd be leaving soon, but the bouquet toss and garter throw would take place before they left for their honeymoon.

“ Now are you sure you've got everything you need for tonight?” Frankie had come up with her best friend.

Maddie nodded.” I was thinking I’d wear the white negligee tonight. What do you think?”

“I think that's perfect,” Frankie replied.” Because after this, you'll no longer get to wear white and get away with it.” she nudged the blonde.

Maddie blushed.” I can't wait.”

“You're going to love it,” Frankie told her.” I know Ethan won't try to rush things, but just go at your own pace.”

“I’m a little nervous,” Maddie admitted.” But I’m beyond ready...you know?”

“I know you both are,” Frankie helped Maddie out of her wedding dress.

“I know this sounds like such a cliché,” Maddie said.” But this really has been the happiest day of my life.”

“It's supposed to be,” Frankie beamed at her.” My wedding day certainly was.”

“You've been such a great friend to me,” Maddie said as she changed into her sundress.” I don't know how I would have been able to do any of this without you.”

“It's me who should be thanking you,” Frankie said.” It's so funny, when I was younger I’d have never once thought you and me would be so close, much less have become best friends like this.”

“I know,” Maddie said smiling at her.” You were too busy trying to get your mum and dad to let you date.”

Frankie laughed.” And we see how that turned out.”

“You sure you and Will don't mind watching Blue for us?” Maddie asked kneeling before her pixie's cage.

“Not at all,” Frankie replied.” He's a cute little guy.”

“I’m going to miss him,” Maddie said opening the cage.

“I’m sure he'll miss you too,” Frankie laughed as the pixie flew excitedly around Maddie's head before settling on her shoulder.

“I’m so glad he was able to see us get married,” Maddie said laughing as Blue played with her hair.

“It amazes me how expressive pixies are,” Frankie held her hand out as Blue flew over to her palm.

“You remember how Dolly was,” Maddie said.

“Vaguely,” Frankie replied.” Come on- say your goodbyes so we can get you on your honeymoon Potter.”

“Okay,” Maddie said motioning for Blue to fly back in his cage. The pixie obediently complied and smiled sweetly at Maddie as she closed the cage door.” You be a good little guy for Auntie Frankie and Uncle Will. I’ll bring you back something really nice from our holiday, okay?”

Blue nodded and rattled his cage excitedly.

“I love you, little guy,” Maddie said blowing him a kiss.

“Save those for your husband,” Frankie giggled.

Maddie smiled.” Right. Let's go.”

Ethan met them just outside in the hall.” Have you got everything?” he asked his wife, giving her a kiss.

“Yes,” Maddie replied.” You?”

“All I need is right here,” he said.

“He's a good one,” Frankie said patting her friend on the shoulder.” You should keep him.”

“I plan on it,” Maddie replied dreamily.

Downstairs, everyone was waiting for the bride and groom to come back down.

“This is going to be hilarious,” RJ said to Andrew.” These girls are going to fall all over themselves to catch Maddie's flowers because they think they'll be the next to get married.”

“What's so wrong with that?” Saffron asked.” I happen to think it's quite a romantic tradition.”

“Sounds like fun to me,” Danielle chimed in.” I would like to catch it!”

“Like you need any luck in getting married,” Saffron teased.” Being part Veela and all...”

“Maman says that none of that really matters,” Danielle said with a laugh.

“Maybe Lexie here will catch it and RJ will get the garter,” Saffron nudged her friends.

“I think I’ll sit this one out,” Gabriel said, but Danielle grabbed hold of his arm.

“No you won't,” she said with a flirtatious grin.

Alexa rolled her eyes. She seriously hoped that Gabriel didn't honestly fancy this shallow girl.

Everyone cheered when Ethan and Maddie appeared.” All the single girls come here!” Maddie laughed.” One of you has to catch this!”

Saffron grabbed hold of Alexa's arm.” Come on, Lex.”

“I don't really want to,” Alexa complained.

“She's not very athletic,” Danielle said breezing past them.” Perhaps she's afraid she'll embarrass herself...”

Alexa gaped at the other girl, amazed at her behaviour.” Fine,” she pushed ahead.” I bet I can catch it.”

Drew, Darla and the other single women gathered around in the middle of the ballroom.

“You ladies ready?” Maddie asked as she turned away from the crowd.

“Throw it to me!” Saffron squealed.

“Throw it away from her!” Saffron heard her father yell from somewhere off to the side.

Maddie took a deep breath and then tossed her bouquet behind her.

Everyone scrambled forward and Danielle nearly pushed Darla out of the way, but her efforts were in vain. The bouquet landed in Alexa's outstretched hands.

“Lexie you caught it!” Saffron clapped her hands excitedly.

Alexa grinned.” I can't believe it...”

“Way to go Lex,” RJ gave his girlfriend a kiss.” Now it's just up to me to get the garter.”

“Good luck,” she said smiling at him.

“It's in the bag,” RJ winked at her.

Ethan grinned at the bachelors that were not gathered around.” Madeline Molly, please tell me you left your garter on?”

She smiled at him and hiked up her skirt.” Come and get it.”

A few of the men let out catcalls as Ethan knelt before his wife.

“I don't think I want to watch this,” Ron turned away.

Luna patted her husband's back.” I’ll let you know when it's over, Ronald.”

Ron scowled at Neville who was laughing.” Sod off Longbottom.”

That only made Neville laugh even harder, but Cho elbowed her husband hard in the ribs to keep him quiet.

“You can look now,” Luna told Ron.” Ethan's about to throw the garter.”

“All right you lot,” Ethan twirled the lacy bit around his finger.” Who's ready for this?”

“Get on out there,” Lavender told her stepson.” You're a single bloke...”

“I don't really want to,” Gabriel shook his head.” This isn't my thing.”

“Just go stand over there,” Lavender said giving him a push.

“Lavender,” he complained as he was thrust forward. He accidentally bumped into RJ who gave him a frosty look.

“Sorry,” Gabriel muttered.

“Just throw the damn thing, Potter!” one of Ethan's fellow Aurors called out.

“Right,” Ethan said with a grin. He tossed the garter high in the air and watched as it fell into the group of men standing in front of him.

Gabriel was about to turn around and rejoin his parents when the garter struck him in the head and then fell into his hand.

“Hey,” he said In surprise.” I caught it...”

“It wasn't pretty, but you did catch it,” Saffron said running over to her cousin.

“We need a picture of Alexa and Gabriel,” Maddie said to the photographer.

“We don't have to do that...” Gabriel started to protest.

“Tradition,” Lavender said again pushing her stepson forward.” Can't argue with tradition...”

Alexa couldn't look RJ in the eye as the photographer seated Gabriel on a chair then had her perch on his lap.

“Smile,” the photographer urged.” This is a happy day, right?”

“Right,” she murmured, looking shyly at Gabriel before she forced a grin onto her face.

“Nice catch,” Gabriel said smiling at her. He had meant to play it cool, but this was probably the last chance he had to be close to her.

“You too,” she said, a more sincere smile appearing on her lips. Neither of them noticed the photographer snapping away.

“Technically, I didn't really catch it,” Gabriel said with a laugh.” It kind of fell into my hands...after it hit me on the head...”

“ Well you still caught it,” Alexa replied.” I think um...I think he's done taking the picture.”

“ Right,” Gabriel said.” I guess we're done then..”

She nodded and stood up and headed back over to RJ, giving him one last look over her shoulder.

She nodded and stood up and headed back over to RJ, giving him one last look over her shoulder.

RJ smiled at her. "I nearly had it..."

"I know," she gave him a kiss. "But at least I got half the prize."

"Let's go say goodbye to Ethan and Maddie," RJ said taking her hand.

"Okay," she agreed, following him over to the newly married couple.

"Daddy, you're not crying again, are you?" Maddie asked.

"Of course not," Ron replied gruffly. "You just have a good time Madeline Molly and don't forget to bring your old man back some rum cake."

"Lots and lots of rum cake," Maddie promised giving him a big hug. "Thank you so much for giving me away."

"You'll always be my baby girl," Ron hugged her tightly. "I'm so proud of you sweetheart."

Luna dabbed at her eyes with a handkerchief. "We hope you have a wonderful time, Maddie."

"Thanks Mum," Maddie hugged her mother. "Thank you so much for everything."

Hermione smiled warmly up at her son. "I can't believe you're married."

"I can't believe someone actually WANTED to marry him," Saffron joked.

"I still miss the little girl that thought I could do no wrong," Ethan teased his sister. "Can we get her back?"

"I don't know what you're talking about," Saffron said innocently. "Little man."

"Very funny," Ethan hugged his sister. "I'll miss you just a little bit, Saf."

"I'll miss you too," Saffron said mussing his hair. "I know I give you a hard time, but..."

"Don't worry you're on the gift list," Ethan grinned at her.

Harry put an arm around his youngest daughter. "That's the most important thing, right Saffy?"

"Of course it is," Saffron giggled.

"Bye, Uncle Ethan," Ashley said stepping forward with her parents and Katie. "I hope you and Maddie have fun."

"Thanks Ash," Ethan hugged his niece. "Mads and I will have a blast."

"Congratulations mate," Nick said. "You take care of my cousin."

"I will," Ethan grinned at his brother in law.

"You two," Maddie looked at her sisters. "Thank you both so much. You guys made this the best day of my life."

Drew grinned. "It was nice to finally do one of these for someone in our family."

"No eloping for me," Maddie hugged them both.

"It means so much more when it's someone you care about too," Darla said.

"If I get married, you two can do my wedding," RJ said stepping between his twin sisters. "No eloping for me either."

"We're holding you to that Junior," Darla gave him a pinch.

"I love you guys," Maddie said getting teary-eyed. "All of you are the best."

"We love you too Mad Dog," Jon and Josh hugged their sister. "You behave on your honeymoon."

"Like the two of you did on yours, right?" Maddie asked teasingly.

"Exactly," Both her brothers answered at once.

"Ready Mads?" Ethan slipped his arms around her.

Maddie smiled. "If you are..."

"I'm more than ready," Ethan replied.

"Mr. and Mrs. Potter," Drew said. "Your car awaits..."

Due to request, we’ve put up a list of everyone’s current ages as of this chapter:

Harry/Hermione, Ron/Luna, Cho/Neville, Seamus/Lavender: 50’s

Julie/Nick, Toshio/Chiaki: mid 30’s

Jon/Allie, Josh/Lizzy: early 30’s

Will/Frankie: mid-late 20’s

Ethan: 23

Maddie: 20

RJ, Gabriel, Andrew: 18-19

Saffron, Alexa: 16

Ashley: 10

Katie: 8

Caroline, Mia: 7

Emma: 3

Masanobu, Mitsuko: 1-1 1/2

Casey, Noah, Aidan: 1

124. Chapter 124

Authors’ note: Tonight begins the honeymoon for E/M. Also, you get more RJ/Alexa and Andrew/Saffron and a side order of Harry/Hermione. We hope that you will enjoy this longer chapter and the next chapter will begin a storyline arc for Frankie and Will that we are both really, really excited about and that we think you guys will like.

Maddie felt a huge flutter in her stomach as she and Ethan left the ballroom amidst cheers and shouts of well wishes. They were heading for the Ministry where they'd get a portkey and go right to the island to begin their honeymoon.

"Come here, wife," Ethan said once they were in the car.

Maddie giggled and leaned in. "It's still so new," she said. "That we're married!"

"Are you happy?" he asked after giving her a kiss.

"I'm more than happy Ethan," Maddie said. "I'm your wife."

Ethan put his arm around her. "Forever."

She kissed him again, more passionately this time.

Ethan pulled her into his lap and ran his hands through her hair.

"Oooh," she said with a giggle.

"Excuse me," Ethan said to the driver. "Could you speed up, please? We're in a hurry."

"Ethan!" she exclaimed.

"We are," Ethan said with a grin.

"Yes sir," the driver said with a chuckle. "We should be arriving in just a few minutes."

"You know it's going to be the middle of the day on the island," Maddie reminded him.

"What does that have to do with anything?" Ethan asked her.

"Nothing I guess," she blushed.

"It's an honour to drive for you sir," the driver said. "Your family has done so much for our world..."

"Thanks," Ethan replied.

"I hope you and the new Mrs. Potter have a long, happy life together," the driver said.

"Thank you," Maddie said resting her head on Ethan's shoulder. "That's very sweet of you to say."

Ethan kissed the side of his wife's head. "I have no doubt we'll be happy," he replied.

"Very, very happy," Maddie said dreamily.

Their portkey had been prearranged by Hermione and within about twenty minutes they were checking into the hotel for their first week of the honeymoon.

They followed a bellman up to their room. Maddie couldn't stop looking around in awe at her surroundings. She had never seen anything like this in the world.

"This is really nice," Ethan seemed to read her mind as they stepped into their room. His eyes fell on the bed and he couldn't help but grin widely.

The bellman set their bags down and smiled expectantly at the young couple. Ethan reached into his trousers pocket for his wallet.

"Thank you sir," the bellhop bowed slightly as Ethan handed him some money. "Enjoy your stay."

Maddie walked out onto the patio and smiled as she took in the view. There were a few people down on the beach sunbathing or playing in the surf. "Ethan!" she called out over her shoulder. "Come look at this!"

Ethan came out and stood behind her. "Gorgeous," he replied.

"I've never been anywhere like this," she admitted. "We've only been here a few minutes and I don't think I ever want to leave."

Ethan kissed her neck. "I'll make sure you never want to leave..."

Maddie leaned against him. "I love you."

"I love you too," he moved his lips to her ear.

"Did you want to go for a walk on the beach?" she asked feeling a little nervous now that they were alone. She knew it was stupid to feel like this since she trusted Ethan. She just didn't want to disappoint him.

"Not really," Ethan said honestly.

"We could unpack," Maddie suggested. "Or order some champagne..."

"We could get some champagne, sure." Ethan replied. "I'll order it from room service right now."

Maddie smiled. "That would be lovely."

"Coming right up," he pecked her on the lips.

Maddie smiled and followed him back into the room.

"It'll be up in a few minutes," Ethan hung up the phone.

"Great," Maddie said kicking off her sandals.

"Are you all right?" he looked over at her.

"I'm fine," she replied. "Why do you ask?"

"You just seem sort of jumpy," he reached for her hands and pulled her to him.

"I'm not jumpy," she said giggling as he tickled her side. "Ethan!"

"Now you are," he laughed, pulling her onto the bed.

"You're such a goofball," she said feeling more at ease.

"I'm your goofball," Ethan grinned at her.

"Yes you are," Maddie said giving him a kiss.

Ethan kept her close to him, running his hands through her hair as he deepened the kiss.

"Ethan," Maddie breathed.

"Yeah?" he asked softly. "Ready to put on one of those little things for me?" he teased.

"You ready for that now?" she asked with a smile.

"Mads," he leaned back. "I've been ready since we got together."

"Oh," Maddie said softly.

"But I know you're worth the wait," Ethan tucked her hair behind her ear. "And I'd wait another year for you if I had to."

Maddie kissed him again. "You're the most incredible man, Ethan. Not too many blokes would have understood how important it was for me to wait, but you did."

"Because I love you that much," Ethan said. "I'd do anything to make you happy Mads."

Maddie felt tears welling up in her eyes. "I feel the same way about you. I always have."

He smiled at her before leaning in and kissing her again, running his hands over her body.

There was a knock on the door and Maddie reluctantly broke away from her husband. "Um, how about you get that and I'll go slip into something more..."

"Works for me," Ethan stole one more kiss before she went to change.

Maddie grabbed the white negligee from her suitcase and went into the loo to change. She was still nervous, but after what Ethan had said, she knew she was ready and that she had no reason to worry.

Ethan thanked the man standing outside for the champagne and once he and Maddie were alone again, poured two glasses.

Maddie took a deep breath and looked at her reflection in the mirror. The silky fabric of the negligee felt cool on her skin.

"Mads?" Ethan knocked on the door. "I've got the champagne.”

"I'll be right there," Maddie called out.

Ethan sat back on the bed, unsure if he should get undressed or not.

Maddie slowly opened the door and stepped outside. "Ethan?"

Ethan opened his mouth to respond but was struck dumb when he saw his wife emerge.

"Hi," she said shyly.

"Hi..." his voice trailed off.

"This one was a gift from my sisters," Maddie said toying with one of the straps.

"They know you well," his voice sounded strained.

"You like it?" Maddie asked hopefully.

"Love it," Ethan managed. "You are stunning."

Maddie stepped further into the bedroom and reached for her glass of champagne. "Thanks, Ethan."

He smiled at her as she took a sip. "I'm such a lucky bloke you know."

"I'm the lucky one," Maddie argued.

"I think we're both about to be lucky," he teased.

Maddie laughed and hit his arm playfully. "Ethan!"

His eyes darkened. "Come here you..."

Maddie set her glass down and stepped closer to her husband.

He pulled her onto his lap again, threading his fingers through her long hair.

"I'm ready," she whispered.

He set his glass aside and lay back on the bed, bringing her down with him.

"You're a little overdressed," she said softly.

"You'll have to help me with that," Ethan answered, undoing his trousers.

Maddie grinned. "My pleasure..."

Ethan shifted his body as she drew them down his legs and tossed them off the side of the bed.

"And now the shirt," Maddie said tugging at it.

"Sounds good to me," Ethan helped her pull it off.

Maddie touched his chest. "Ethan..."

"Yeah?" he asked.

"We're married!' she said grinning at him.

He laughed. "That we are, Mads."

She looped her arms around his neck and they fell back onto the bed.

He could hardly hold back as he kissed her hard, letting his hands roam free over her body.

Maddie arched against him, feeling as if every inch of her body was on fire.

Ethan rolled her over, pushing down on her lingerie, eager to feel her soft warm skin under his fingers.

The nervousness she'd felt before melted away as he eased the negligee off of her and threw it on the floor.

"You're the most beautiful woman in the world," he told her. "I've never seen anyone so gorgeous."

Maddie smiled up at him. "You're not so bad either."

"I should hope not," he grinned at her before leaning down to cover her mouth with his.

He moved his hand down her waist. Maddie had a feeling she knew exactly where he was heading and she hoped she was right.

"How's this?" he asked softly, sliding his fingers into her, readying her for what was to come.

She gasped. "Oooooh...."

The sight of her closing her eyes, her mouth open and gasping nearly undid him right then and there.

She gripped his shoulders. "Ethan..."

"Are you ready?" he asked in a choking sort of voice.

Maddie nodded, unable to speak.

Hoping he wouldn't hurt her, Ethan shed his boxers quickly and pressed his lips to hers, then skimmed kisses over her neck and shoulders as he positioned himself over her.

Maddie closed her eyes as Ethan slowly entered her.

"Just... tell me if... it hurts..." Ethan was trying to be as gentle as he could.

Maddie bit her bottom lip. It did hurt, but she didn't want him to stop.

"Mads?" he saw her expression.

"I'm okay," she reassured him.

"You sure?" he asked, stroking her hair off her sweaty forehead.

She nodded. "I trust you."

"Okay," Ethan smiled at her and kissed her again.

The pain slowly went away as they began to move together and was replaced with a kind of pleasure that Maddie had never known.

"Maddie..." Ethan grunted as she lifted herself against him.

She wrapped her legs around his waist, encouraging him to go deeper.

Ethan pulled her as close as he could as he pushed himself in as far as he possibly could.

"Yes, Ethan," she murmured. "Yes..."

"Mads," he gasped as she wrapped her arms around his back.

Maddie's breath was ragged as he thrust into her one last time.

She released at the same time he did and Ethan nearly collapsed on top of her, trying to catch his breath.

"Ethan," Maddie said breathlessly. "I--I ...never knew it could be like that."

"Me either," he answered, pulling out of her and moving over so he wasn't lying on top of her. "Mads you're incredible."

"Really?" she asked turning on her side to look at him.

"Absolutely," he smiled. "You were worth waiting for."

Maddie leaned in for a kiss. "I love being married."

Ethan kept her lips pressed to his for several moments. "I love it too," he answered softly.

Maddie snuggled closer to him. "Ethan?"

"Hmmm?" he answered, running his fingers through her hair.

"Can we order room service?" she asked sweetly. "I'm famished."

Meanwhile, back in England Alexa and RJ were just arriving back at his flat.

"What a fun day," she remarked. "I don't think I've ever danced so much."

"And you caught the bouquet," RJ reminded her. "That means you're next..."

Alexa giggled. "Now if only you'd have caught the garter..." she teased.

"I wasn't in the right place at the right time like some people," RJ said shaking his head. "That wanker didn't even want it; it just fell into his hands."

"RJ," Alexa set the flowers down on the table. "Don't call him that."

"How about we don't talk about him at all?" RJ suggested. "Come here."

She went willingly into his arms and he kissed her deeply.

In less than two days, she'd be going back to school. And if any good had come out of what had happened with Gabe, it had caused RJ to realise how special his girlfriend was and how he didn't want to take her for granted.

"RJ," Alexa closed her eyes. "I wish that we didn't have to be apart for so long..."

"Me either," he said softly. "But we'll make it work. And maybe I can make it up for a Hogsmeade weekend and there's Christmas..."

"I hope so," she put her arms around his neck. "And we've got tonight..."

"Let's make it count," he whispered.

"Right," Alexa felt slightly nervous about what might happen that evening. She hadn't come out and said she wanted to go all the way, but she hadn't said no either.

RJ leaned in to kiss her, but at that moment, someone pounded on the door.

"Bloody Andrew," RJ said rolling his eyes. He looked apologetically at his girlfriend. "Don't move."

"Weasley! Weasley!" male voices called on the other side of the door. "We know you're in there!"

"Who the hell is it?" RJ snapped irritably.

"Open the fucking door, Weasley!"

"You'd better have Firewhisky or you don't get to play with the big boys," another male voice called out.

"Fuck," RJ swore, opening the door. "Guys... I told you, not tonight."

"Look," one of the men said pointing at RJ's dress robes. "He looks like a penguin!"

"Sod off," RJ replied. "I was at my sister's wedding."

"I hope you've got food," Scanlon said breezing past RJ and heading for the kitchen. He stopped when he saw Alexa. "Well, hello little girl..."

"Hi..." Alexa said shyly.

"Is this one of your sisters?" Scanlon asked RJ.

"This is my girlfriend you idiot," RJ replied.

"Sorry," Scanlon said with a shrug. He returned his attention to Alexa. "How about you be a love and get us something to drink?"

"I beg your pardon?" Alexa asked.

"Scanlon get the fuck out of here," RJ said angrily. "Don't talk to her like that!"

"Is that any way to talk to your elders?" Scanlon asked with a laugh. "Come on, Weasley. Get us a drink."

"I should go," Alexa said reaching for her shoes.

"No," RJ put a hand on hers. "Guys, sorry, but this isn't open house tonight."

"Weasley, Weasley, Weasley," Scanlon said shaking his head. "You going to forsake your team-mates for some bird?"

"This isn't some bird," RJ said firmly. "I'll see you lot tomorrow."

Scanlon laughed. "At least you have your priorities straight, Weasley."

"Right," RJ nodded. "So get the hell out already."

"Okay," Scanlon said clapping RJ on the back. "Come on, guys."

"Thank you," RJ said, relieved that they wouldn't be making a big deal out of this.

Alexa couldn't believe this. After an entire summer of cancelling out on her to hang out with his team-mates, RJ was kicking them out to spend time with her.

RJ shut the door behind his team-mates and turned to say something to Alexa.

"You didn't have to do that," she said before he could even open his mouth.

"Yeah, I did," RJ said. "I wanted to be with you tonight."

Alexa couldn't stop her smile.

"So," he said smiling back at her. "Where were we?"

"Here," she got up and put her arms around him.

"Really?" he asked her, picking her up. "Because I thought we were here..."

"I like this better anyway," she laughed.

"You do?" he asked carrying her toward the bedroom. "Watch it now...don't break anything..."

"RJ!" Alexa hit his shoulder.

He kicked open the bedroom door with his foot and carried her inside.

"RJ..." her nervousness returned.

"I'm not going to drop you," he said as he gently set her down on the bed.

"It's just..." her mouth was dry and she swallowed the lump in her throat. "I don't know... I don't know if--"

"What?" he asked sitting down beside her. "Lexie..."

"I love you so much though," Alexa babbled.

She tucked a strand of hair behind her ear and all of a sudden he knew what was wrong.

"You're not ready, are you?" he asked.

"I don't know," she confessed.

"It's okay if you're not," he told her.

"Can we just see how things go?" she twisted her hair around her index finger. "I mean, in a few days I'll be leaving and I won't see you for at least a month."

"See how things go?" he asked her.

"Yeah," Alexa turned red. "Merlin I sound so stupid don't I?"

"You're actually kind of cute like this," he said grinning at her.

"Shut up," she blushed even harder.

"Who are you telling to shut up?" he asked tickling her.

"RJ!" Alexa squealed.

He reached for her again and pulled her to him. "You're even cuter like this."

"When you say it like that I actually believe you," she said softly.

"Believe me," he said before kissing her.

Alexa couldn't help but respond as RJ wrapped his arms around her. She had missed this so much.

"Still okay?" he asked pulling her onto his lap.

"Yeah," she smiled. "I'm just so glad we have tonight to be together."

"All night," he corrected. "And tomorrow morning..."

"I cleared the whole day tomorrow for us, if you want." She told him.

"Really?" he asked.

Alexa nodded. "You don't have practise?"

RJ nipped at her bottom lip. "No. I'm free."

Alexa grinned at this and kissed him harder.

RJ reached around her back to lower the zipper on her dress.

She helped him pull it down and then slid the dress off her body.

RJ smiled reassuringly at her. "Don't be nervous."

"I can't help it," Alexa confessed.

"Just tell me if you want me to stop," he said leaning in to kiss her again. "Okay?"

"Okay," she agreed.

"And I was wrong before," RJ whispered against her skin. "You're not cute at all, Lexie. You're beautiful."

She blinked back a few tears, feeling incredibly stupid for crying about what he said.

"What's wrong?" he asked softly.

"Nothing," she replied.

RJ cupped her face in his hands. "I'm going to miss you so much."

"I'll miss you too," Alexa looked up at him and brushed his hair out of his eyes. "I wish you could stay at the school even though you're not a student anymore."

"Maybe I could be the next headmaster," he joked.

"And give up your fame and fortune as Puddlemere's star Keeper?" Alexa laughed. "I doubt it."

"I might do," RJ said laughing too. "Headmaster Weasley."

"That does have a certain ring," she snuggled closer to him.

"And I could see you whenever I wanted," RJ said kissing the top of her head.

"All the time," she replied dreamily.

"Nothing's going to change," he promised.

"Promise?" Alexa asked.

"I promise," he replied. "And it's okay for me to just be with you like this. We'll...we'll take the next step when you're ready."

"I feel like a bit of a tease," she said softly. "I want to RJ, I really do."

"I know," RJ said. "Believe me, I know."

Alexa cuddled even closer to him and wondered what exactly she was waiting for. She loved him and he loved her. And she trusted him and wanted to be with him.

"Lexie," he said huskily.

"I might not be very good at this," she said glad she wasn't looking at him. "I've never done it before and I might be complete rubbish at it."

"Hey," he replied. "I don't even care Lexie. You're my girl."

Alexa sat up. "I should probably do the protection charm..."

"I already have one," RJ said. "Lexie it's all taken care of."

"Really?" she asked. "But when did you---"

"I took care of it," RJ stroked her hair back.

Alexa grinned. "So I guess there's nothing else, but to..."

"Just tell me if you feel uncomfortable," RJ replied. "I promise we'll stop if you don't like it."

"Okay," she said nodding. With shaking hands, she started to unbutton his dress shirt.

"You don't have to be nervous," he caught her hands in his.

"I can't help it," she said with a slight laugh. She didn't like to think about the fact that he was more experienced at this than she, having had his first time with Christina Grant.

"I don't want you to be nervous," RJ told her.

"You'll show me what to do?" she asked him in soft voice.

"Anything you want me to do," RJ promised.

"Okay," she said easing the shirt off of him.

RJ helped her. "I love you Lexie... despite everything that's gone on."

"I know that," she said smiling at him.

"Good," he grinned at her.

Alexa watched as he kicked off his trousers and she blushed when he saw that she was looking.

"You have seen me like this before you know...at the beach..." he said with a cocky grin.

"But not like this," she blushed even harder.

"Your cheeks are about as red as your hair, Lexie," he teased. "Come on. Maybe you'd feel more comfortable if you were wearing less, too. Let's get you out of that slip, eh?"

"Okay," she agreed.

RJ lifted the slip over her head and then tossed it on the floor. Instinctively, Alexa tried to cover herself, but again RJ stopped her. "You're beautiful like this," he said smiling at her.

"I am?" she asked uncertainly.

"Absolutely," he said giving her a lingering kiss.

Alexa responded; feeling like her body was on fire just from the touch of his hand running over her abdomen.

"Lie down," he whispered in her ear.

Alexa did as he said, her head falling onto the pillow as he kissed her neck.

"You trust me?" he asked her.

"I've always trusted you RJ," she whispered.

RJ trailed kisses on her shoulder, along her chest and on her stomach. Alexa giggled as his breath tickled her skin.

"If you keep doing that..." her voice trailed off.

"Just working my way down," he whispered.

"Down?" she asked.

"Trust," RJ said with a glint in his eyes.

"I already told you I trust you," she replied breathlessly.

He hooked his fingers into the waistband of her knickers.

"Go ahead," she encouraged.

Painstakingly slow, he eased them off her body. He knew what he was about to do was completely new to her, but he hoped it would put her at ease.

She thought she might feel uncomfortable at being naked with RJ but instead it felt completely wonderful. "It's okay," she whispered.

He bent and pressed her thighs apart. "Lexie..."

He ran his hands over her stomach and she arched her body. "Yes..."

He resisted the urge to bury himself inside her. He had to be gentle and slow when it was the last thing he wanted to do. Patience had never been one of his virtues.

"RJ please," she moaned.

His face was buried between her thighs and Alexa gasped when she felt him touch her there.

"RJ!" she gasped.

RJ looked up at her. "Do you like this?" he asked.

"Oh yes," Alexa was breathless. "Please RJ..."

She closed her eyes and writhed against the pillow feeling as if she were going to die.

"Keep doing that!" she choked out. "RJ!!!!!!"

RJ swirled his tongue inside her and Alexa cried out again. She was trying to catch her breath and there was a sheen of sweat on her forehead. "You feel so good, Alexa."

She was in too much ecstasy to tell RJ how she felt at the moment.

He eased himself out of his boxer shorts and then lay down beside her on the bed. RJ placed a kiss on her lips.

"Keep going," she begged, still not quite down from the high RJ had brought her to.

"Yes ma'am," he said with a grin.

She tangled her fingers in his hair, keeping him exactly where she wanted him.

He kissed her again and positioned himself gently on top of her. Again, he reminded himself to go slow.

Alexa knew this would probably hurt but she didn't care. "RJ," she ran her fingernails across his back. "Just keep going..."

"Okay," he said using his hand to part her legs.

She willingly let him do whatever he wanted.

His arousal brushed against her stomach and Alexa couldn't believe that she was the cause of that.

"Yes," she breathed through clenched teeth.

She groaned as he delved a finger inside her.

"Don't tease me RJ," Alexa gasped.

He smiled. "It's just to get you ready."

"I think I'm ready," she gripped his shoulders. "Really... bloody... ready..."

"Okay then," RJ said giving her a kiss as he entered her.

"Oh my..." Alexa's eyes opened wide.

"I don't want to hurt you," he said looking down at her.

"Just stay in me," she gasped, her eyes filling with tears.

"I'm not going anywhere," he said hoarsely as he began to move.

"Okay," Alexa breathed heavily as she tried to move with him.

"Lexie," he whispered against her skin. "You feel so good..."

"So do you RJ," Alexa whimpered.

He was encouraged when she wrapped her legs around him. "Merlin, Lexie..."

"Yes!" she cried, closing her eyes.

He buried his face in her shoulder as he climaxed. For the longest time, neither of them moved. When he heard her muffled sobs, he slowly eased himself off of her and was dismayed to see that she was crying.

"Lexie?"

"I'm sorry," she sobbed. "I don't mean to be crying."

"What's wrong?" he asked. "I didn't hurt you, did I?"

She shook her head.

He sat up and reached for the old Gryffindor blanket at the foot of the bed. "Are you cold?"

"A little," she wiped her eyes.

He spread the blanket over them. She was being so quiet and he didn't know what to say to make her feel better.

Alexa turned and wrapped her arms around her boyfriend, wanting to feel as close to him as possible.

"I love you," he whispered. "And what we just did was amazing."

Alexa nodded. "I'm so glad it was with you," she answered. "I love you so much RJ."

"You scared me for a second there," he said softly brushing a strand of hair behind her ear.

"Sorry," Alexa managed a small smile. “It was just a lot of feelings to overcome at once.”

"It's okay," he said giving her another kiss. "I don't want you to go back to school. Stay with me."

Alexa laughed. "You have no idea how appealing that sounds."

"Education is highly over-rated," he said with a grin.

She wrapped her arms around him. "So is Quidditch."

"So, we could just stay here in my flat and shag all day long instead," he said. "No school. No Quidditch..."

"Like you'd ever stop playing Quidditch," Alexa closed her eyes.

"I would for you," he said seriously.

"You would?" she lifted her head. "Really RJ?"

"You're the most important person in my life," he said softly. "I know I haven't always been great at showing that..."

"I love you though," she answered. "Despite how everything's been lately."

"None of that matters now," he reassured her.

"Especially now," Alexa said.

"Right," he said holding her close. "I'm knackered."

"Me too," she answered. "We're alone all night tonight?"

RJ nodded. "Andrew's staying at his parents tonight."

"I thought he might be staying with Saffy," Alexa smiled and snuggled closer to him.

"I'm sure Uncle Harry would love that," RJ said sleepily.

"You never know," Alexa closed her eyes. "RJ... I'm so glad my first time was with you."

"I'm glad too, Lexie," he whispered kissing the top of her head.

"Sometimes I worry you'll leave me for Serena Starr or some other gorgeous girl," Alexa said softly.

"Not going to happen," RJ said. "Serena Starr is gorgeous, I'll give you that, but she can't hold a candle to you."

"You really mean that?" Alexa asked with a smile.

"I do," he said smiling sleepily back at her. "And I'm just as worried that you'll chuck me for some bloke like Gabe---"

"No," Alexa shook her head quickly.

"I don't want to ever lose you," he said pulling her close.

"I don't think I could ever feel this way about anyone else," Alexa stroked his hair back.

"And how is that?" RJ asked her.

"Completely..." Alexa kissed him. "Utterly... totally in love..."

"You know," RJ said. "I'm not as knackered as I thought..."

"You're not?" she giggled.

He shook his head. "Second wind..."

"You've got a second wind?" she asked. "Where'd that come from?"

"I think you had a little something to do with it," he said nuzzling her neck.

"I think I've got a second wind coming on too..." Alexa closed her eyes and wondered if her best friend was having as good a night as she was.

Saffron was having a good time, but it was nothing like what Alexa was experiencing. She and Andrew were currently talking in the now empty ballroom.

"I used to come in here when I was little," Saffron said wistfully. "I pretended it was my own little castle."

"A castle aye?" Andrew grinned at her.

Saffron giggled. "Yes. Greta used to let me bring all my dress up clothes in here and I'd play in here for hours."

"You are too funny," Andrew reached for her.

Saffron leaned against him. "I know one day Mum and Dad will move out of here, but this is home to me. I've never lived anywhere else, other than Hogwarts."

"By then you'll probably have your own place," Andrew replied.

"Yeah, maybe," Saffron said. "It's harder I think for girls to move out of their parents' home than boys. You couldn't wait to leave..."

"I just like the thought of being on my own," Andrew said.

"You don't talk that much about your parents," Saffron said. "And I've only met them a couple of times."

"I'll have to have you over more often then," Andrew grinned at her. "I do want them to get along with the girl I love."

"Dad says that your father was a good flyer when they were at school," Saffron said.

"He said that?" Andrew beamed. "I'll have to tell him. Dad never stops talking about the fact that I'm dating Harry Potter's daughter."

Saffron giggled. "You never told me that!"

"I forgot," Andrew poked her side.

Saffron swatted at him. "And your Mum...what does she think about me?"

"She thinks you're a beautiful, impressionable young girl," Andrew said with a grin.

"I've got her fooled then?" Saffron asked cheekily.

"You have no one fooled," Andrew said softly. "You are beautiful."

Saffron beamed at him. "You're such a good boyfriend."

He laughed. "And you're the best girlfriend I could have asked for."

Saffron leaned in and kissed him. "I love you, Andrew Kirke."

"I love you too, Saffron Potter." Andrew said when she pulled back. "I had a lot of fun with you today."

"I did too," Saffron agreed. "But we certainly had some drama, didn't we? With RJ's cousin throwing herself at Gabriel, Hans trying to get back with Darla, RJ nearly throttling Gabe..."

"I feel sorry for the bloke," Andrew said. "At first I was a bit pissed because he knew Lex was with RJ but when I put myself in his place... I remembered how I felt when you were with Peter last year."

"He really does fancy Lex," Saffron said. "I hated to see things end the way they did."

"Probably for the best though," Andrew replied.

Saffron nodded. "Gabe doesn't think he'll be coming back to London for awhile. He says it’s because of his classes, but I think it has to do more with what happened."

"He's a really nice guy." Andrew wound his arms around her. "It's a shame he'd let that run him off."

"Well, I plan on doing everything I can to convince him to come back," Saffron said. "I really like him, Andrew. And I know you're RJ's best friend, but I'd really like it if you made an effort with him too."

"I will," Andrew promised her. “I’ve been in his place.”

"Thank you," Saffron said hugging him tightly. "You two were getting along pretty well before all this happened anyway."

"I won't hold it against him," Andrew replied.

"You really are the best," Saffron said. She squeezed his hand. "Let's dance."

"Dance with no music?" Andrew laughed. "What does this remind me of?"

Saffron grinned. "Don't worry. There's music. I'll be right back."

"All right," Andrew smiled at her.

Saffron's bridesmaid dress swished as she sprinted over to one of the storage closets and pulled out a Wireless.

Andrew couldn't stop his eyes from roaming over his girlfriend's slender body.

Saffron turned it on and smiled when she recognised the music. "Nana loves Celestina Warbeck."

"So does my mum," Andrew stood up and offered her his hand.

"I would be honoured to dance with you, sir," Saffron said with a curtsy.

Andrew laughed. "The honour is mine," he bowed.

Saffron smiled up at him as they began to move to the music. There was something about being with him here in the dimly lit ballroom that just made her feel so happy.

"You're a damn good dancer," Andrew said in her ear.

"I came by it honest," Saffron said. "Dancing was kind of how my mum and dad got together and I grew up watching them..."

"Remind me to thank them," Andrew spun her around.

"How did you get so great at it?" Saffron asked.

"You," Andrew nipped at her lips.

"Andrew," she said softly.

"Hmm?" he asked.

"I love you," she replied.

"I love you too Saf," he held her tighter. "I'm really going to miss you."

"Me too," Saffron said. "I've always looked forward to going back to school, but not this time. I can't imagine being there without you."

"I promise to do my best to come for any Hogsmeade weekends," Andrew said.

"I know," Saffron said resting her head on his chest.

"And Christmas holiday no one's going to be able to separate us," Andrew swore.

"No one," Saffron agreed.

Andrew gave her a lingering kiss. "I know I already told you this many times, but you look just gorgeous today."

"And I told you that I didn't mind hearing that again," Saffron said smiling up at him.

"In my opinion, you looked even prettier than the bride," Andrew said softly.

"No one was prettier than Maddie today," Saffron said shaking her head. "She looked gorgeous."

"I beg to differ," Andrew said with a grin.

"You really are the best boyfriend," Saffron said giving him another kiss.

"Saffron?"

Saffron reluctantly broke away from her boyfriend to see her parents standing in the doorway.

"Sweetheart, it's getting late," Harry said.

"Sorry Dad," Saffron blushed.

"I should get going," Andrew said. "I'm staying at my parents' tonight."

Harry nodded. "Maybe when Saffron's home for Christmas, you can come by with your folks."

"We'd love to have you," Hermione said smiling at Andrew.

"My dad will be really happy to hear that," Andrew said with a smile. "He still talks all the time about when you both played on the Gryffindor team."

Harry laughed. "That was a lifetime ago."

"He'll still be here with bells on," Andrew grinned. "And thank you for inviting me today. I had a really wonderful time."

Hermione smiled warmly at him. "And thank you for helping with my mother earlier. I appreciated all that you did, Andrew."

"You're welcome," Andrew replied. "I'm always glad to help out."

"Andrew's going to take me out to breakfast tomorrow, Mum," Saffron said. "If that's okay..."

"Of course it's okay," Hermione said and Harry nodded.

"Great," Saffron said smiling at her parents. "I'm just going to walk with him upstairs to say goodbye."

"Sounds good," Harry smiled back at his daughter. "Good night Andrew."

"Good night, Mr. Potter," Andrew said. "Minister Potter."

Saffron walked her boyfriend to the sitting room where the fireplace was. "What time will you come by tomorrow?"

"Nine thirty?" Andrew suggested.

"Sure," Saffron agreed. She wound her arms around him and gave him a thorough kiss. "That's so you'll go to sleep thinking of me tonight."

Andrew gave her a goofy grin. "Mission accomplished."

"You're so cute when you smile like that," Saffron giggled.

"Night, Saffy," Andrew said giving her one last kiss. "Love you."

"Love you," she held onto his hand as long as she could before he tossed some Floo powder into the fireplace.

She stood there for a few moments after he left.

"Saffy?" Hermione asked. "Did Andrew get back okay?"

"Yeah," she turned around. "Sorry... I just sort of spaced out there..."

"That sort of happens when you're in love," Hermione said smiling at her daughter.

Saffron smiled dreamily. "He's so sweet Mum."

Hermione nodded knowingly. "Anyone who can make you smile like that is okay with me."

"You and Daddy really like him too right?" Saffron asked as her mother turned out the lights in the sitting room.

"We do," Hermione reassured her.

"Good," Saffron hugged her mother. "I'm going to bed."

"Sleep well, sweetheart," Hermione said.

"Love you mum," Saffron said. "I'll see you in the morning before I leave with Andrew."

"Okay," Hermione said nodding. She turned off the rest of the lights and wondered where her husband was. He said he would be closing things down in the ballroom, but she hadn't thought that would take more than a couple of minutes.

When he still didn't appear after a few moments she went back down to see if he was still in there. "Harry?"

"Over here," he called out from somewhere in the darkness.

"What are you doing?" Hermione's brows knit together. "I thought we were going to bed?"

"Saffy brought out the Wireless and I was just listening to some music," he replied.

"Where are you?" she laughed. "Its pitch black in here!"

"Sorry," Harry apologised. With a wave of his hand, he turned on the lights. "Better?"

"Yes," Hermione answered, sitting down next to him. "What a day..."

"You're not going to turn into a water pipe again, are you?" he teased.

"No," Hermione poked him. "But you have to admit, seeing our boy up there getting married..."

"I was so proud of him today," Harry said with a smile.

"Me too," Hermione agreed. "We just have one more to go now."

"Saffy is never getting married," Harry said firmly. "I don't think my heart could take it."

She shook her head. "I don't think you're going to be able to stop it from happening." Hermione reached for his hand. "You saw how she was with Andrew today. Our baby girl is in love."

Harry frowned. "What happened to that little girl who used to knock down those block towers we built? What happened to the little girl who used to follow me around all the time?"

"She grew up," Hermione reminded him. "Just like Julie did."

"It wasn't easy watching her do it either," Harry said with a sigh. "If your dad were alive today, he'd be telling me that he told me this would happen."

"I think he's already telling you," Hermione leaned against him. "Mum misses him so much Harry."

"How bad was she today?" Harry asked. "You didn't really tell me..."

"She just got confused this morning after the ceremony," Hermione answered. "Once I got her medicine she was fine."

"That nurse of hers should have made sure she took it," Harry said quietly.

"We told her not to come today," Hermione replied. "Remember? We told her she'd be with us- I picked her up at half past seven this morning."

"I guess I forgot in all that was going on," Harry said. "I'm sorry, Hermione."

"You have no reason to apologise," Hermione replied.

"I know how much your mum means to you," Harry said. "How much she means to all of us..."

"She's just so lonely," Hermione closed her eyes. "I hope I never have to know what that's like."

"I don't plan on going anywhere for at least another 100 years," Harry said hoping to make his wife laugh.

She smiled. "Me either."

Harry put an arm around her. "Saffy's going back to school. It's going to be awfully quiet around here. Just you, me and Puddles..."

"That dog," Hermione laughed. "Still lives up to his name."

"He has gotten a little better," Harry said. "And Saffy wanted me to ask you if you could put a word in with the new headmaster about being able to have dogs at Hogwarts...."

"How come no one told me they picked a new headmaster?" Hermione was suddenly alert.

"Samuel sent a letter to you this morning from the school's Board of Governors," Harry said. "I set it in your office. I don't know who it is anymore than you do, Hermione."

"Let's go find out," Hermione grabbed his hand and hauled him out of the ballroom.

Harry laughed. "Well, we know it's not me."

"And not me," Hermione said. "Or Julie."

"And if there is any justice in this world, it's not Severus Snape," Harry said with a shudder.

Hermione wrinkled her nose. "He's too biased."

"He's too much of an arse," Harry said as they walked into Hermione's home office.

"That he is," Hermione picked up the envelope on her desk and broke the seal.

Harry sat down on the sofa and watched as his wife read over the letter.

"You'll never believe who they picked," Hermione said a moment later. "I wouldn't have seen this coming at all..."

Harry yawned; the long day was finally catching up to him. "Who? Neville?"

Hermione laughed and handed him the letter. "I know a lot of females are going to be very pleased."

Harry laughed and was about to make a crack about him turning down the job, but he was truly speechless when he read the name. "You sure they knew they were hiring for Headmaster? I could see if they were hiring a new Flying Instructor, but headmaster? "

"Oliver Wood," Hermione shook her head. "Retired Quidditch captain, new Headmaster of Hogwarts. I'll have to schedule a meeting with him tomorrow."

Harry was still taken aback by all this. "Is he qualified to do this?"

"Apparently so," Hermione looked over Oliver's list of credentials. "He's had a busy retirement."

Hermione handed the list to Harry and again he was amazed by what he saw on the paper. "I didn't know about all this. I mean, I haven't spoken to him in a few years, but..."

"He was the popular choice," Hermione put the letter in a pile on her desk.

"Blimey," Harry said shaking his head.

"Who'd have thought?" Hermione smiled. "I wonder what Saffy will say when she finds out?"

"I think it's cool," Saffron said from the doorway.

"I thought you were going to bed," Hermione looked up.

"I was, but I heard the two of you running around," Saffron said stepping into the room. "Oliver Wood, eh?"

"Your new headmaster," Harry replied with a grin.

"He's aged very well," Saffron said. "I saw a profile on him in one of RJ's Quidditch magazines. He's older than you, Dad, but he looks so much..."

"Don't you say younger," Harry interrupted.

"I--I wasn't going to say younger," Saffron said hastily.

"She knows better," Hermione joked.

"You know I love you, Daddy," Saffron said giving her father a hug.

"Did you have fun today sweetheart?" Harry asked.

Saffron nodded. "Except for what happened with Gran."

"That was very nice of Andrew to help like he did," Hermione said.

"It was, wasn't it?" Saffron asked with a smile. "That's one of the things I love most about him. I can always count on him."

"Love eh?" Harry said gruffly.

"Harry--" Hermione warned.

"I'm just joking," Harry said. "Kind of..."

"He's still with me after that embarrassing talk you gave to the two of us in Brighton," Saffron reminded her father. "That's got to count for something in your eyes, Daddy."

"He cares a lot about you," Harry replied. "And he treats you right. That's what I like."

Saffron grinned. "So I can keep him?"

"Long as he keeps it up," Harry teased.

Hermione tugged on Saffron's plait. "What are we going to do without you here?"

"Be really bored and clean up after Puddles?" Saffron asked impishly.

Hermione laughed. "That sounds about right."

"I'll miss you guys too," Saffron said. "This holiday went by way too fast."

"It did," Harry said. "But we'll come up for your matches, of course. And you'll write, mostly to your mum..."

"There are certain things I can tell her that I can't tell you, Daddy," Saffron said resting her head on her father's shoulder.

"Probably things I don't want to know about," Harry winked at his wife.

"Daddy!" Saffron exclaimed.

Harry laughed and squeezed his daughter's side.

Saffron giggled. "I'm going to go to bed now. Really."

"And dream of Andrew," Harry teased.

"Of course," Saffron said giving first her father and then her mother a hug. "I love you guys."

"Love you too baby," Hermione replied. "Have a nice breakfast with Andrew."

"Come on," Harry said to his wife when they were alone. "We should get to bed, too. I'm knackered."

"Are you really?" Hermione smiled at him.

"Yes," he said not catching on to her meaning. "You did have me up at the arse crack of dawn for the wedding."

"Your point being what exactly?" she raised an eyebrow.

Harry picked her up. "That you shouldn't expect that much out of me tonight..."

"That'll be a first," she smirked.

"You...you don't think Oliver Wood looks better than me do you?" Harry asked her as he carried her to the bedroom.

"If I did I'd have married him," Hermione teased.

"Good save," he said with a grin.

"I still can't believe Ethan's married now," Hermione said as they dressed for bed. "It just seems surreal to me. In my eyes he's still my little man."

"And you were giving me grief for thinking along the same lines about Saffy and Julie," Harry reminded her. "You're just as sappy as me, Hermione."

"So you were crying today," Hermione teased him. "I thought I saw tears..."

"I wasn't crying," Harry said. "That was you bawling like a banshee. And Ron...he was pretty much turning on the waterworks, but I can understand why."

"And in a few days, our girl goes back to school," Hermione said. "I always hate it when she leaves."

"I do too," Harry agreed. "You know, I can't imagine what life would have been like if we'd never had her."

They were silent for a moment and could hear their daughter talking on her mobile, laughing. "I'm just so glad she's happy." Hermione snuggled close to her husband.

"All three of them are happy, healthy and well-adjusted," Harry said, putting an arm around his wife. "That's something we can really be proud of."

"We make a damn good team," Hermione pushed him down on the duvet cover.

"We do," Harry said giving her a kiss.

"Still too tired?" Hermione asked her lips still against his.

"I'm wide awake at the moment," Harry replied. "Do with me what you will, Mrs. Potter."

****

While it was still late night in England, overseas in the Caribbean it was very early morning. Ethan and Maddie were snuggled together underneath one of the soft cotton sheets, arms wrapped around one another as they slumbered peacefully.

As sunlight peeked through the curtains, Maddie opened her eyes. For a few moments, she wasn't sure where she was.

She stretched and smiled over at Ethan, who was still sleeping. Tracing her finger along his face, Maddie realised she was still in awe of the fact that she was actually married to him now.

"What are you doing?" Ethan asked. His eyes were still closed and his voice was scratchy from sleep.

"Just looking," Maddie couldn't help but laugh.

"At me sleeping?" he asked finally opening his eyes. "Can't be very much fun."

"I beg to differ," Maddie gave him a chaste kiss. "Good morning."

"Good morning, wife," Ethan said holding her close.

"Husband," Maddie giggled as he nuzzled her neck.

"I think I like being married," Ethan said lazily.

"Me too," Maddie agreed. "Last night was wonderful."

"And well worth the wait," Ethan said smiling down at her.

She gave him another closed mouth kiss. "I love you so much."

"I love you too," Ethan said softly.

There was a knock on the door and Ethan groaned. "You stay here; I'll get rid of whoever it is…"

Maddie smiled as she was treated to a spectacular view of Ethan's bare arse as he stepped out of bed.

Blissfully unaware of the show he was putting on; he grabbed a robe and threw it on.

"Room service," a voice called from the other side of the door.

Ethan opened it and the bell hop wheeled in a big cart of food.

"We didn't order anything though," Ethan said bemusedly.

"Courtesy of Mr. and Mrs. Weasley," the man said with a grin.

"Breakfast?" Maddie asked from bed where she'd pulled the sheets up high.

Ethan walked over to the nightstand and grabbed his wallet. He tipped the bell hop who grinned at the newlyweds before departing the room.

"There's a card," Ethan said handing it to Maddie.

"My dad knows me too well," Maddie laughed as Ethan retrieved her robe.

She opened the letter and read aloud, "Dear Maddie and New Son-in-Law: We hope that you are enjoying your honeymoon. As a present to you, we've paid for any room service that you would like to have. No one knows better than the Weasleys the importance of a good meal. We miss you and love you both very much. Love, Mum and Dad."

"Hey that's really nice of them," Ethan said. "This smells absolutely fabulous."

Maddie pulled on her robe and walked over to the cart. "Orange juice, fresh coffee, fruit, eggs, waffles, bacon, French toast...I think I have died and gone to heaven."

"Ooh look at this," he grinned as he uncovered a basket heaped with chocolate chip muffins.

Maddie squealed. "I knew Daddy wouldn't forget. Those are my absolute favourite!"

Ethan laughed as she dove for the basket. "You're hungry again?" he teased.

"We haven't eaten anything since last night," Maddie said defensively.

He wrapped his arms around her from behind as she bit into her muffin. "And we did get a lot of exercise," he said mischievously.

"Yes we did," Maddie agreed breaking off a piece of the muffin and popping it into his mouth. "And you'll need your strength for today's repeat performance."

Ethan grinned. "Now THAT I can't wait for..."

Maddie grinned. "You know we probably won't leave the room very much at all, but I would love to go snorkelling. Lizzy said she and Josh did it and that we'd regret it forever if we didn't do it at least once. And I do have to buy souvenirs for everyone."

"And if we go back without a tan, Frankie's going to kill us," Ethan laughed.

Maddie laughed and poured them both a glass of juice. "We wouldn't want her to do that, would we?"

"Not now," Ethan replied, his arms still around her.

"I hope everyone's as happy as we are," Maddie said leaning against him.

"Not even possible," Ethan kissed her neck.

Maddie smiled. "Do you think you might put a warming charm on this food?"

"I can do that," Ethan said, reaching for his wand.

"I just can't seem to keep my hands off of my husband," Maddie said untying her robe.

"I like that," Ethan slid it over her shoulders and let it drop behind her. "I'd also like a nice, hot shower with my wife..."

"Oooh," Maddie said winking at him. "I like that idea."

She pushed his robe off and they kissed as he walked her back towards the bathroom.

"I was wrong before," Ethan said in between kisses. "I love this married thing."

125. Chapter 125

Authors note: This chapter has two parts. The first part starts out a storyline for Frankie and Will that we both love and that we hope you guys will love too. The other part deals with Gabriel and Seamus and you’ll get to meet Gabriel’s mother, Samantha, in a flashback.

Frankie struggled with her pile of magazines and carpet swatches. She didn't really have that much time, but she'd promised Luna she'd help with the decorating and after all that the Weasleys had done for her, this was the least she could do for them.

She set aside her books and knocked on the front door. There was no answer, but she could hear a ruckus from inside the house.

"Aunt Luna?" she asked opening the door. "Uncle Ron?"

"We're in here!" Luna called from the sitting room.

Frankie picked up the books and headed for the sitting room. She winced as she heard a loud squeal followed by high-pitched laughter. When she walked into the sitting room, she saw Luna holding a baby in her arms while two little boys who appeared to be around six or seven years old were throwing a ball around the room.

"I didn't think you got them until next month," Frankie said in amazement.

"Do you have any Bertie Botts?" one of the little boys asked yanking on the hem of Frankie's skirt.

"Um..." Frankie tried to hold onto her samples as well as her skirt at the same time. "I'm afraid I don't..."

"Why not?" the boy asked her folding his arms.

"She's a big stupidhead," the other boy said dismissively. "Stupidhead!"

"Joey!" Luna admonished. "It's not nice to call other people names."

"You're not the boss of me," the boy named Joey answered stubbornly.

"Yeah, you're not the boss of us!" the other boy chimed in. "I want to go back to the orphanage!"

"You really want to go back there?" Luna asked calmly. "Where you had to share a room and you got no sweets at all?"

"No," the boy admitted, scuffing his feet on the wood floor.

"Then why don't you calm down and if you're good, you can have some Bertie Botts later," Luna said mildly.

"Okay," he said sitting back down on the sofa.

Luna returned her attention to Frankie. "Thank you so much for stopping by."

"Seems like I came at a crazy time," Frankie set down the samples.

"They've just arrived since this morning," Luna said smiling down at the sleeping baby in her arms. "This is Caitlin. You've already met Joey and Zack. And---"

"Luna," Ron said coming into the room. "That little girl---she's hiding under the table and refuses to come out."

"Hannah," Luna said. "Her name is Hannah, Ronald."

"Hannah Banana," Joey snickered. "She's strange."

"Joey," Luna said a little more sternly.

Joey rolled his eyes.

"She is acting a bit odd, Luna," Ron said in a hushed tone so the boys couldn't hear. "I walked in the kitchen to make myself a sandwich and I heard someone whispering to themselves. I look under the table and she's crouched under it, whispering something over and over to herself."

Luna stood up and handed Caitlin over to Ron. "Let me see if she'll let me talk to her."

"Maybe this isn't such a good time," Frankie said quietly. "I could come back..."

"It'll be all right," Luna replied. "Come with me and we'll bring those into the kitchen. We've got more room in there."

Frankie nodded and followed Luna into the kitchen.

"Hannah?" Luna peeked under the table. "What are you doing under there sweetheart?"

Frankie set the books down and couldn't resist peering down to get a look as well. She saw a small, skinny young girl who looked to be a couple years older than Emma, wearing natty clothes and her brown hair in a messy pigtail. She'd wrapped her arms around the leg of the table.

"I promise Joey won't make fun of you," Luna said coaxingly. "Why don't you come out? I'd like you to meet someone."

Hannah shook her head.

"Its okay, Aunt Luna," Frankie said awkwardly.

Luna nodded and let the tablecloth drop. "How about we go into the office instead then?" she asked.

"NO!" Hannah screamed.

Luna looked alarmed and ducked back down. "Hannah, what is it?"

"Don't go," Hannah whispered.

"If you'd like us to stay, then why don't you come out of there and sit with us?" Frankie suggested.

Hannah again shook her head.

"We'll stay in here," Luna told the little girl. "And if you want to join us, you can."

"Is she all right?" Frankie asked.

Luna nodded. "She's not used to being around people she doesn't know and she likes to keep to herself."

"Okay," Frankie sat down at the table while Luna got them some pumpkin juice. "These are just some samples left over from when Will and I redecorated our place."

"Thank you so much for bringing them by," Luna said handing Frankie a glass. "We're going to let each of the children have their own room. I'm setting up Joey in Darla's old room. Zack's taking Josh and Jon's and the nursery is Maddie's old room."

"I really do think this is lovely of you both," Frankie said.

Luna smiled. "We had all this room and it would have been a shame to stand by and do nothing..."

"LUNA!" Ron called out desperately. "Help!"

Luna shook her head. "Ron's convinced Joey and Zack are Fred and George Part Deux. I'll be right back, Frankie."

"Sure," Frankie had almost forgotten about the little girl under the table until she saw a pair of brown eyes staring up at her. "Hi there," she smiled as welcomingly as she could.

Hannah looked uncertainly up at her before finally sitting down in Luna's vacated seat.

"Are you thirsty?" Frankie asked. "I'll get you some pumpkin juice if you like."

Hannah shook her head and pointed at the sample books.

"You want to look at these?" Frankie asked. "It's nothing fancy, just some carpet and wallpaper."

The little girl nodded and said something that sounded almost like "please".

"Well I'm sure you'll get to pick out something nice for the room you get to stay in," Frankie said encouragingly. "Maybe a nice pink or light blue? What's your favourite colour?"

Hannah turned a couple of pages and finally pointed at a light purple colour.

"Purple!" Frankie said. "That's one of my favourite colours as well."

Hannah gave a slight smile, but still didn't say anything.

"Maybe a light purple colour on the walls would look nice," Frankie said. "What do you think?"

Hannah pointed at Frankie's glass of juice.

"Do you want some juice now?" Frankie asked, wishing the little girl would talk.

Hannah nodded and looked down at her lap.

"I'll get you some then," Frankie patted Hannah's shoulder but didn't notice the little girl flinch as if in pain when she raised her hand.

Hannah turned her attention back to the book and started thumbing through the pages. She turned back to the purple wallpaper and touched it, liking the way it felt under her fingers. "Pretty," she whispered.

"What?" Frankie asked. "Did you say something?"

"My mummy liked purple," Hannah said softly.

"That must be where you got it from," Frankie smiled at her.

Hannah stared down at the purple wallpaper with a wistful expression on her face. She didn't even look up when Frankie set the glass of juice down in front of her.

"Are you okay?" Frankie asked uncertainly when the little girl didn't even move.

"I want Mummy," she said softly.

"Where is she at?" Frankie asked, not knowing if this girl was orphaned or taken away from irresponsible parents.

"Daddy took her away," Hannah replied, her lower lip trembling. "Made her go away."

"You mean she died?" Frankie asked in horror. "I'm so sorry Hannah."

Luna chose that moment come back into the room and she stopped when she saw Hannah sitting down. "How did you---"

Hannah let out a yelp and ducked back under the table. In her haste to hide herself, she jostled the table leg and the glass of juice Frankie had gotten for her fell and shattered on the floor.

Hannah started to cry and Frankie peered under the table to see the little girl shaking.

"Its okay, Hannah," Frankie tried to tell the little girl. "It was just an accident. Luna's going to clean that up..."

"I didn't mean to do it," Hannah sobbed.

"It's okay," Frankie reassured her. "It was an accident. It happens to me all the time. No problem."

Luna waved her wand and repaired the broken glass then kneeled down. "Hannah its okay- no harm done."

"I didn't mean to do it," she sobbed hugging the table leg.

"Sweetheart," Luna tucked the girl's long hair behind her ear. "I know you didn't mean it. I'm not angry, I promise."

"Promise?" she asked hopefully.

"I promise," Luna hugged Hannah's tiny frame.

Hannah wrapped her little arms around Luna's neck and sobbed into her shoulder. Gingerly, Luna stood up with Hannah in her arms, patting her back soothingly. "It's okay, sweetheart."

Frankie's heart went out to the little girl. "Maybe I should go..." she said again. "I can come when things are a little calmer--"

"I'm sorry," Luna said. "I appreciate you bringing those books by, Frankie. I'll take a look at them with the kids and see what we come up with, okay?"

"Sure," Frankie nodded, partly relieved to be leaving. "I'll see you soon then."

"Right," Luna said still patting Hannah's back. The little girl flinched. "What is it, sweetheart?"

Hannah let out a small whimper. "Hurts," she whispered, her brown eyes meeting Frankie's.

"Your back?" Luna asked. She set the little girl down on the floor. "Do you have a boo-boo?"

Hannah didn't answer, only stared at the floor.

"Can I see?" Luna asked.

Frankie stared with her eyes wide as Luna gently lifted the little girl's shirt. Her back had long red welts across it, some of them scabbed over. There was also some bruising along her side. She slapped a hand over her mouth to stifle her cry.

"Who...who did this to you, Hannah?" Luna asked gently. "Can you tell me, sweetheart?"

Hannah sniffled and shook her head.

"Did your daddy do this?" Luna asked. "You can tell me, sweetheart. He's not going to be able to hurt you again..."

"Daddy does it when I break things," Hannah confessed in a whisper.

Frankie felt tears welling up in her eyes as she watched the little girl.

"Oh, sweetheart," Luna said reaching for the little girl's hand. "Your daddy shouldn't have done that. That was wrong of him to do that to you."

"It was?" Hannah asked. "He said I asked for it."

Frankie shook her head. She couldn't imagine anyone treating a young child that way. Hannah couldn't be any more than four years old.

"It was," Luna said nodding. "And I can promise you that nothing like that will ever happen here, Hannah. Never."

Hannah nodded silently and sat back down in the chair as Luna went to get some salve.

Frankie was at a complete loss as to what to say. She wondered if perhaps she should just go like she originally planned, but she couldn't make herself leave this little girl alone.

"Hannah?" she asked the little girl. "You want to know something?"

Hannah nodded.

"I think you're a brave little girl," Frankie said smiling at her.

"You do?" Hannah asked quietly.

Frankie nodded. "Very, very brave. I bet your Mummy would be so proud of you."

Hannah's brown eyes filled with tears at Frankie's words.

"You miss her, don't you?" Frankie asked.

"A lot," Hannah replied in a whisper.

"Do you want to talk about her?" Frankie suggested.

Hannah shook her head.

"We weren't introduced properly before," Frankie said taking a seat. "My name's Frankie Barron. My mother is really good friends with Luna. She asked me to stop by to help decorate your room."

"Do I really get my own room?" Hannah seemed to brighten just the tiniest bit.

"Your very own room," Frankie said nodding. "It's not fun to share a room. Believe me, I know. I used to share one with my older sister, Allie. But, we moved into a bigger house and we all got to have our own room. I was so happy..."

"I never got my own room either," Hannah said.

"Do you have brothers or sisters?" Frankie asked.

She shook her head.

Luna came back into the room. "I had to mix up a new batch."

"I can stay and help you if you'd like," Frankie offered, surprising herself.

"You will?" Hannah asked in a small voice.

"If you'd like me to stay," Frankie said.

Hannah looked thoughtfully at Frankie and nodded.

Luna smiled. "How about we go upstairs to your room? Would you like that? You didn't really get a chance to see it before..."

"What room does Hannah get?" Frankie set her bag on the counter and followed them out.

"Drew's old room," Luna said holding the little girl's hand as they went upstairs. She looked down at Hannah. "Drew's one of my daughters. She has a twin sister named Darla. My youngest little girl is named Maddie. And I have three sons---Josh, Jon and RJ."

"Are they all grown up?" Hannah asked.

Luna nodded. "Yes, they are."

"Maddie just got married," Frankie said. "She's my best friend."

"And someday soon, you'll get to meet my grandchildren, Hannah. My son Jon has two little girls named Caroline and Emma; they're both near your age. Josh has triplets---two little boys named Aidan and Noah and a little girl named Casey."

"Oh," Hannah said. "Do you think they'll like me?"

Luna smiled. "They're going to love you."

Hannah smiled genuinely for the first time.

"Emma loves the colour purple too," Frankie said as she followed Luna and Hannah down the corridor toward Drew's old bedroom. "And she adores flowers."

Hannah's eyes were wide as they went in. "I get to sleep in here?"

Frankie looked around to see a few dolls on the dresser and a small desk that held crayons, pencils and sketch paper. A few fairy tale books were on the bookshelf and a small twin bed was decorated with a light purple duvet.

"Hey look at that," Frankie stepped towards the bed. "It's already your favourite colour."

Hannah nodded and looked around the room in awe.

"Why don't you sit up there," Luna said. "I'll put this on your back, okay? It'll make it heal faster and not hurt."

Hannah looked uncertainly at Luna.

"What's wrong?" Luna asked gently.

"I'll hold your hand the whole time if you'd like," Frankie offered.

Hannah nodded.

Frankie sat down on the bed beside Hannah and held the little girl's hand.

Luna tried to be as gentle as possible while applying the salve. She had to keep her anger in check at the young girl's father for doing such a heinous thing.

"Did those dolls belong to your little girl?" Hannah asked Luna.

"Yes they did," Luna replied. "And now they're yours to play with."

"Really?" Hannah asked.

"They've been waiting for another little girl to play with them," Frankie said. "I bet I can find some of my old dolls at Mum and Dad's place if I searched the attic."

"That would be really nice, wouldn't it, Hannah?" Luna asked.

Hannah nodded shyly.

"And we're going to take the kids to RJ's first match in a few days," Luna told Frankie. "Joey and Zack can't wait to meet him."

"Right," Frankie nodded. "I set aside a whole block of seats and some of the guys promised to come out and meet the kids once the match is over."

"They'll be over the moon," Luna said smiling at Frankie. "Thank you for doing that."

"Anytime," Frankie replied. "Do you like Quidditch, Hannah?"

"I don't know," she said.

"You're welcome to join us, of course." Luna told her. "I think you might enjoy it sweetheart. It's a very fun sport."

"Will you be there?" Hannah asked Frankie.

"I work for the team." Frankie told her. "So I'll be around, yes."

"You remind me of my Mummy," Hannah said softly.

"I do?" Frankie was surprised at the little girl's statement.

Hannah nodded. "You're... nice."

"Thank you," Frankie smiled at her. "I think you're very nice too Hannah."

Hannah smiled back.

"There we are," Luna said. "All done. Does it feel better?"

"A little," Hannah replied.

"It might take a few minutes to feel better," Luna said. "And we'll put more on before you go to sleep tonight, okay?"

"Okay," Hannah said her eyes still downcast.

"Do you want to help me with Caitlin?" Luna asked. "Ronald is probably being held hostage by Joey and Zack as we speak..."

Hannah shook her head. "I want to be by myself."

"Oh," Luna said not wanting to push Hannah. "Okay...we'll just be in the sitting room or in the kitchen if you need us, okay?"

The young girl picked up one of the dolls and hugged it to her.

"Bye Hannah," Frankie said. "I really liked meeting you."

Hannah nodded and then turned away.

Frankie and Luna left, closing the door softly behind them. "What a poor little thing," Frankie said sympathetically. "What sort of person could do that to a child?"

Luna shook her head. "Her caseworker never mentioned that she was the victim of child abuse. Her father was arrested for her mother's murder...."

"That's horrible," Frankie said quietly.

"My heart went out to her the first time I saw her," Luna said. "She looked so lost..."

"She's definitely got more than a few ghosts haunting her," Frankie replied, picking up her bag. "She's very sweet though."

"She certainly warmed up to you," Luna said. "How did you get her to come out from under the table?"

"I don't know," Frankie said. "We just sort of started talking and she came out."

"Did she like anything in the books?" Luna asked.

"Apparently she likes light purple," Frankie told her.

Luna smiled. "That's a pretty colour."

"She mentioned that her mother liked it," Frankie said.

"I'll see if she'll look through the books with me again tonight," Luna said. "Thank you again for helping out today, Frankie."

"You're very welcome," Frankie smiled at her. "Oh Maddie rang me earlier today. She and Ethan are having a blast."

Luna smiled. "She called us last night to thank us for taking care of room service for them. Ronald wanted a word-by-word description of the food."

"LUNA!" Ron called out from the sitting room.

Luna and Frankie both hurried into the room and nearly collapsed in laughter when they saw Ron tied to the seat by a jumping rope. Caitlin was cooing happily in her bouncy seat and Joey and Zack were nowhere to be found.

"Ronald---how did---" Luna said trying to stifle her laughter.

"Those two just tied me up!" Ron struggled.

Frankie and Luna both untied the rope and Ron's face was nearly as red as his hair.

"Where are they now?" Luna asked.

"They ran out back," Ron said. "Merlin knows what they're up to out there."

"Too bad you can't do wandless magic like Uncle Harry," Frankie said. "He'd never have let this happen..."

"Yeah, yeah rub it in," Ron grumbled. "I'm going to make myself a sandwich."

"I'm sure once they acclimate to their new surroundings everything will be fine," Luna told her husband. "Joey and Zack are probably acting out because they're feeling a little unsure about being in a new place..."

"I guess," Ron replied. "This little one is too cute for words though." he grinned at Caitlin.

"She is adorable," Frankie said smiling at the baby who was still cooing up at Ron.

"And she likes you a lot Ronald," Luna lifted the infant from the seat.

"Is everything okay with Hannah?" Ron asked.

"Not really," Luna said as Zack and Joey ran back into the room. "I'll tell you later."

"Mr. Weasel, can we have something to eat?" Joey asked.

"I already told you two," he said. "I want you to call me Ron. And yes, if you're hungry I'll make you both a sandwich."

"Can we have turkey and cheese?" Zack asked in a sweet voice. "Please?"

Ron smiled. "I guess since you asked nicely, I could manage that."

Joey and Zack exchanged a look and followed Ron into the kitchen.

"That's not going to be good," Frankie said with a laugh to Luna.

"Probably not," Luna agreed. "I'd better go in there and supervise."

Frankie said a quick goodbye to Luna before heading out of the house. She stumbled a bit on the sidewalk and turned to see Hannah looking at her through her bedroom window.

She waved to the child and smiled when Hannah waved back tentatively.

Frankie returned to her office, but for some reason, she couldn't stop thinking about Hannah.

She was almost finished for the day and was making the final arrangements for the season's first match when her husband appeared in the doorway. "Hey gorgeous," he smiled at her.

"Hi," she said smiling at him. "What brings you by?"

"Thought I'd surprise you," Will gave her a kiss.

"I love those kinds of surprises," Frankie said. "I'm nearly finished here. I just have to go over these press releases."

"Did you want to go out for dinner?" Will asked, sitting down in front of her desk. "I thought Italian sounded good tonight."

"That sounds great, but before we do, do you think we could stop by the shops?" Frankie asked.

"Sure," Will replied. "Why?"

"I wanted to pick up some things for that project I'm working on for Luna," Frankie said thoughtfully. "Do you remember that place Claire went to buy those things for Mia's room?"

"I don't remember the name but I'm sure Claire would," Will replied.

"I think it was M & S," Frankie said. "We can start there. I can also pick up some outfits..."

"You have enough clothes, Frankie," Will pointed out.

"They're not for me," Frankie said defensively.

"Ookay..." Will was confused.

"I can buy for other people, you know," Frankie said glaring at him.

"Frankie..." Will leaned forward. "Want to tell me what you're going on about?"

Frankie sighed. "Well, you know I went to see Aunt Luna today, right?"

"Right..." Will replied.

"Apparently, they were able to take some of the children a bit earlier than they expected," Frankie continued. "They have two boys who are going to turn Uncle Ron grey. A cute little baby named Caitlin and..."

Frankie's voice trailed off as she thought of Hannah.

"And?" Will prompted curiously.

"...they...they have another little girl named Hannah. Oh Will, you wouldn't believe what she's been through," Frankie said quietly. She told him about how the little girl had cowered under the table and how they'd discovered the bruises and welts on her back. "How could someone do that to their own child?"

"That's horrible," Will shook his head. "What a sick bastard."

Frankie nodded. "She was so happy to have her own room, Will. You should have seen the look on her face. I just wanted to give her a big hug and tell her everything was going to be okay."

"That really makes me sick, you know?" Will said. "I think of something like that happening to Mia or Caroline and I just want to kill anyone who could be like that."

"Me too," Frankie said walking around her desk and sitting down in her husband's lap. He wrapped his arms around her and she rested her head on his shoulder.

"She really got to you didn't she?" Will asked softly.

Frankie nodded. "I just want to do something nice for her, Will. She was wearing an old t-shirt and jeans. I want to buy her a few new things..."

"I think that's really nice of you," Will smiled at her. "Come on then."

"Thanks, Will," Frankie said getting to her feet.

"Did you bring all those samples that were sitting in the office at home?" Will asked as they left Puddlemere's offices.

Frankie nodded. "Hannah liked the light purple samples."

Will smiled. "You took to her didn't you?"

Frankie smiled back at him. "I couldn't help it. She...she told me I reminded her of her mother because I was nice."

Will nudged her. "She does sound really sweet."

"And I think Em and Caroline will love her," Frankie said.

"We'll have to maybe bring them around- Mia would love making a new friend too," Will thought of his niece.

Frankie smiled. "When we drop off these things, I'll ask Luna when would be a good time for that."

"This is good of you Frankie," Will decided not to mention that he thought her maternal instinct was finally kicking in lest she freak out. "What about the other kids? Maybe we can find some toys for them too."

"I think that'd be lovely," Frankie said smiling at her husband. "We wouldn't want them to feel left out."

"Right," Will gave her a kiss.

Frankie couldn't wait to get to the shops. Thought she didn't know Hannah very well, she hoped that she'd pick out things that the little girl would like.

*** *** ***

"Lavender!" Seamus called. "You know we're leaving in one hour!"

"Yes I know," Lavender rolled her eyes at Gabriel. "He does this every time we travel. Acts like I don't know how to pack."

"He told me he thinks you do it just to drive him crazy," Gabriel said with a grin at his stepmother.

"Well... maybe I do." Lavender laughed.

"He likes to be on time," Gabriel said. "And he certainly likes things to go a certain way..."

"He's always been like that." Lavender set her empty teacup in the sink.

"I've always been that way too," Gabriel admitted. "Now I know where I get it from..."

Downstairs in his study, Seamus was packing up some scripts that he was going to look over while he was in Los Angeles. He'd be coming back to London in a couple of days to resume filming but he wanted to see his son home and talk with Lewis and Margaret.

He smiled as he thought about Gabriel. In one short summer, he'd found out he had a son and had developed a fairly decent relationship with him.

And he had Samantha Boyd to thank for that.

He sat down in his desk chair and thought about the first night he'd met her.

He'd been in a rather popular restaurant in Hollywood, one where a lot of stars went to see and be seen. Seamus was there with a few of his producer friends to go over a new script.

"Vancouver would be the best place to shoot this," one of them was saying.

"That or in Alaska," Seamus replied thoughtfully. "Nightmute is a good place, especially this time of year."

"You think that would work?" his friend asked.

"Should," Seamus nodded. "But I'm open to Vancouver as well. I've always liked it there."

"We should get going," his friend said as the others nodded. "We'll ring you sometime later this week and finalise some of the details..."

"Sure," Seamus replied as someone accidentally bumped his elbow, making him spill his drink.

"Oh!" a brunette waitress said apologetically. "I'm sorry, sir..."

"It's all right," Seamus said amiably. "I'm washable."

"Behave yourself, Seamus," one of his friends called over his shoulder before following the others out.

The girl retrieved a dishtowel and set about cleaning up the mess. "I'm not usually this clumsy."

"I'm a klutz too," Seamus smiled at her. Her hair was curly and tied back and her face flushed a cute red colour.

"I never said I was a klutz," she said shooting him a look. "You're putting words in my mouth."

"Okay then," he flirted. "I'm clumsy too."

She laughed. "Can I get you anything else, sir?"

"I think I'm fine for now," he replied. "Thanks though."

"I didn't do anything except bump into you and make you knock over your drink," she said. "No reason to thank me for that...it's not like I poured hot coffee on your lap..."

"Let's not do that," Seamus looked at her name tag. "Samantha..."

"No fair," she said smiling at him. "You know my name, but I don't know yours..."

"Seamus Finnigan," he stuck his hand out.

"Samantha Boyd," she said shaking his hand. "And I think I'd better get back to my tables before my boss has my head in a sling..."

"Right," Seamus smiled at her. "Well it was nice meeting you Samantha."

"You too," she said softly. She gave him a slight wave before heading back to her other tables.

He watched her go, his eyes wandering over her slender figure housed in the skirt and shirt that was the restaurant uniform.

Although he had long since finished his meal and his friends were gone, he didn't want to leave just yet. It had been a long time since he'd felt this kind of attraction for a woman. There'd been others since Lavender, but there was something very intriguing about this Samantha Boyd.

A few minutes later, she came back carrying another tray of drinks for the table across from him.

He tried not to be obvious about watching her but couldn't help himself.

"You're staring," she said smiling at him as she walked past him.

Seamus turned red. "So you caught me," he replied.

"I might have been looking at you too," she said. "Are you sure I can't get you anything else? Cappuccino? Beer?"

"A beer would be nice, actually." Seamus replied. "Guinness if you've got it."

"Coming right up," she said. "I promise I won't drop it."

Seamus laughed and watched her as she went over to the bar. He wondered what her story was---was she working here until she landed the big role in some movie or television show? Most waitresses in Hollywood did. But, she didn't seem to know who he was. Of course, that could have been an act. And being who he was, he had learned the hard way to be a little guarded.

"So..." he said when she came back with his beer. "What are you doing in Hollywood? Are you an actress?"

Samantha laughed. "No, I'm not an actress. I have a hard enough time being myself let alone pretending to be someone else."

Seamus grinned. "You seem to be enjoying yourself here."

"What do you know I am a good actress," she said with a grin. She looked over her shoulder to where her boss was motioning for her to move on to her other tables. "I-I really should----"

"Right," Seamus nodded. "I don't want to get you in trouble..."

"At least I only have thirty more minutes in my shift," Samantha said smiling at him. "It was nice meeting you, Seamus."

"You too Samantha," Seamus reached out to shake her hand.

She shook his hand and reluctantly left to tend to her other tables. Seamus finished his beer and placed some bills on the table.

He was about to leave when he doubled back to where she was standing at the bar. "Um..." he began. "I hope I don't sound like a creep here but..."

"Yes?" she asked.

"Would you mind if I gave you a call sometime?" he asked in a rush.

"The manager here doesn't usually like it when we go out with customers," Samantha said quietly.

"Oh," Seamus nodded. "All right then, I understand."

She put a hand on his arm. "But I've never been one to follow the rules..."

Seamus grinned at her. "I had a feeling you weren't..."

"I'm off in a few minutes," she said smiling back at him. "Would you...would you want to go somewhere to get a cup of coffee so we could talk?"

"Sure," Seamus agreed eagerly. "That sounds great."

"You don't mind waiting?" Samantha asked him.

"Not at all," Seamus took a seat at the bar. "I'll be right here."

"And I'll be getting Table Four their drinks," Samantha said motioning over her shoulder.

Seamus watched her go, again letting his eyes roam over her figure. He was drawn to this woman, to her openness and friendly nature.

A few minutes later, she tapped him on the shoulder. "Take me out of here, please!" she said pleadingly.

He laughed. "There's a great coffee shop right around the corner."

"Sounds great," she said leading the way out. "So you know a little bit about me, what about you...who is Seamus Finnigan really?"

"I'm a director," he said, running a hand through his hair. "I met some producers tonight to talk about a new film I'm about to do."

"What sorts of movies do you direct?" she asked him.

"Mostly action films," he named off a few of his recent movies. "See any of those?"

"I've not much of an action film fan," she admitted. "I'm more of a comedy-drama person."

"I might have a few of those coming up after this one," Seamus said.

Samantha smiled as he opened the door to the coffee house for her. "Thanks."

"What do you want?" Seamus asked. "It's on me."

"Iced Vanilla Latte would be great," she replied.

"Coming right up," Seamus joked. "Bet you like hearing that from someone else."

Samantha laughed. "It's a refreshing change of pace. I'll go and grab us a table."

"Sounds good," Seamus got in line.

She found a table toward the back and wondered what she was doing. Although she didn't usually follow the rules, she was usually level-headed and didn't go out with men she'd just met. And this wasn't just any man. He was some big-time director. What could he possibly see in her? She was just a waitress, after all.

"One Iced Vanilla Latte," Seamus set the cup down in front of her.

"Thanks," Samantha said smiling at him. "What did you get?"

"Just plain black coffee," Seamus replied. "I'm really not into those fancy drinks I'm afraid."

"A traditionalist," Samantha said after taking a sip of her drink. "My dad would love you. He fusses all the time about how you can't order regular coffee anywhere anymore...."

"I always keep a fresh pot on my set," Seamus replied. "Although most of my actresses these days live for cappuccinos."

"You should probably be drinking a cappuccino with one of them right now," Samantha said. "I'm sure they'd be a lot more stimulating than me."

"You'd be surprised at how empty headed some of them can be," Seamus replied.

Samantha laughed. "I've waited on some of them before..."

"I enjoy a woman who actually has opinions on things and isn't afraid to say them. Most actresses are afraid to say what they really think in case they hurt their chances for a role." Seamus sat back.

"Yet another reason why I'd never make it as an actress," Samantha said thoughtfully. "I'm too opinionated for my own good. My dad says I need some sort of filter..."

"I like you like this," Seamus said boldly.

"You say that now," Samantha said blushing.

"I haven't met a person like you in a long time," Seamus said. "A lot of things here in Hollywood are so superficial."

"Kind of hard to find something real," Samantha agreed.

"Which is why I pursue it when I see it," Seamus said, gazing at her intently.

Samantha met his gaze. "And that's what you're doing with me?"

"If that's all right with you," Seamus said.

"That's okay with me," she said softly.

"I'm glad," Seamus replied with a relieved grin.

"Hard to believe you're not already spoken for," Samantha said. "Most men I meet are already married, gay, or complete idiots."

"Yeah well..." Seamus shrugged. "I've had my share of relationships."

"Starlets?" Samantha asked.

"Sometimes," Seamus nodded. "I had one relationship..." he paused, not sure if he wanted to talk about Lavender or not.

When he didn't elaborate, Samantha took another sip of her coffee. This was just great, she thought glumly. He was probably still hung up on this woman.

"It ended badly," Seamus said. "Let's just leave it at that."

"You're not over her," Samantha guessed.

"No, I am." Seamus said. "It's just that I wish things could have ended differently. But I don't think you really want to hear about it all."

Samantha shook her head. "Not really...”

"There are many better things to talk about," Seamus agreed.

"Such as?" Samantha asked.

"You," Seamus said softly.

"Me? Well, um, what do you want to know?' she asked.

"What else do you do aside from waitressing?" he asked.

Samantha leaned back in her chair. "I'm not putting myself through college, that's for sure. I would have loved to have gone, but I'm not one who likes to sit still, you know?"

"I was the same way," Seamus said. "I took some classes, but I had to get out there and actually do it rather than study."

Samantha smiled. "Someday, I'd like to open up my own restaurant or a coffee house like this."

"You'd probably do a great job at that," Seamus said encouragingly.

"Maybe I could cook for you sometime," Samantha offered.

"All this and you can cook too?" Seamus teased.

Samantha blushed and touched his arm. "I've been cooking practically since I could walk. I used to follow my mom around the kitchen, begging her to let me help."

"I'd like to take you up on that offer then," Seamus smiled.

Samantha grinned back at him. "What would you like?"

"Surprise me," Seamus answered.

Samantha bit her bottom lip and reminded herself to be sensible. But she hadn't felt this way about someone before. He had a nice, warm smile and he had eyes that she could lose herself in. "Um, well....how...what do you like for breakfast?" she asked trying to sound bold.

He grinned at her. "Pancakes," he answered immediately.

Samantha smiled shyly at him. "Well, would you like to---?"

Her words were cut off when he leaned across the table and kissed her.

He was unable to stop himself from doing this when she looked so sweet and appealing. After a moment he felt her get over her shock and kiss him back.

"Stars," she said dazedly when they pulled apart.

"What?" he asked, brushing a lock of her hair back.

"I think I just saw stars," Samantha replied. "When you kissed me..."

"Oh," he laughed. "I saw them too..."

"Yeah right," she said giggling. "I'm sure you did."

"Maybe I'm not sure," Seamus grinned. "I might need to try that again."

"Just to be sure," Samantha said leaning in.

They kissed again for several moments. "Oh yeah..." he said. "Definitely stars."

Samantha smiled. "Definitely."

Seamus finished packing and sat down on the desk. He wished that they weren't already heading back to the States. He'd grown too accustomed to having Gabriel around every day.

Gabriel knocked on the doorframe. "Dad?"

"Hey," Seamus smiled at him.

"What are you doing in here?" Gabriel asked. "You look a little lost in thought…"

"I was just finishing packing up all this stuff," Seamus said.

Gabriel nodded and stepped into the room. "I have something for you."

"You do?" Seamus couldn't help but be pleased.

Gabriel handed his father a gift-wrapped box. "What do you get for the guy who has everything, right? But, I cleared it with Lavender and she thought it would be really nice..."

Seamus opened the box to reveal a silver photo frame containing a photo of Samantha holding a newborn Gabriel in her arms.

"Wow," Seamus swallowed hard. "Gabe..."

"Do you like it?" Gabriel asked.

"Yeah," Seamus nodded. "I love it Gabe. This is incredible."

"That was her favourite photograph," Gabriel said smiling at his father.

"I'm going to put this on my desk where I can see it every day," Seamus couldn't stop looking at it.

"I asked Lavender before I gave it to you because I didn't want her to feel uncomfortable or awkward," Gabriel said. "But she was really great about it and even helped me pick out a frame."

"Thank you Gabriel," Seamus said. "And thanks for thinking of Lavender during all this. She loves you as much as I do, you know."

Gabriel nodded. "You've both been so great. I don't even know how to thank you..."

"You don't have to," Seamus hugged him.

Gabriel hugged his father back. "I love you, Dad."

"Love you too, son." Seamus replied. "I'm really going to miss having you around. I've gotten kind of used to you."

"Once I lost the attitude?" Gabriel asked teasingly.

"Even then," Seamus joked. "You're going to have to keep me filled in on how school is going when we're back."

"I will," Gabriel promised. "And you and Lavender are coming for Thanksgiving. Remember?"

"I haven't had a Thanksgiving since I was with your mum," Seamus said. "I remember your grandmother's turkey..."

"Granddad was okay with you then?" Gabriel asked.

"For the most part," Seamus nodded.

"Grandma will make sure he's on his best behaviour," Gabriel said.

"I can take him," Seamus puffed his chest out, making Gabriel laugh.

"I'll make sure to tell him you said that," Gabriel said.

"Right," Seamus replied. "Didn't you say Saffron and Andrew were coming over to say goodbye?"

"They mentioned they might stop by, but I'm not counting on it," Gabriel said. "And we're leaving soon anyway."

"I think they'll come," Seamus said. "You and Saffron really got on this holiday."

"We did," Gabriel said. "She's been a good friend."

There was a sudden commotion from the sitting room. "Speak of the devil," Seamus said. "I think that's them now."

Gabriel smiled. "I'll go and see."

Saffron was dusting herself off as he came in. "Hi Gabe," she grinned at him.

"I didn't think you guys would make it," Gabriel said giving his cousin a hug.

"Couldn't let you go back without saying goodbye," Saffron replied. "I'm not going to see you for awhile."

"A long while," Gabriel agreed. He looked at Andrew who hadn't said anything. "Hey, Andrew."

"Hi mate," Andrew stuck his hand out.

Gabriel shook it. "I'm sorry about everything that happened this summer. I really am."

"It's all okay," Andrew said. "In the past. I enjoyed meeting you."

"Me too," Gabriel agreed. "You all were really great to welcome me like you did."

"It's been great having you here," Saffron chimed in. "I'm really going to miss you Gabe."

Gabriel handed her a slip of paper. "This is my address at home. And Lavender said she'd send any letters from you to me."

"I promise to write," Saffron tucked the slip inside her bag. "And you better promise to write me back!"

"I will," Gabriel said. "And there's something else...I was wondering if perhaps you'd give this to Alexa..." He picked up an envelope from the coffee table. "Since I didn't have the chance to say goodbye..."

"She told me to tell you goodbye for her," Saffron accepted the envelope. "But I

I'll give this to her when I see her next."

"Thanks," Gabriel said. He looked over at Andrew. "It's no declaration of love or anything like that. I just wanted to tell her goodbye."

"It's none of my business," Andrew replied with a shrug.

Gabriel nodded. "I never meant to cause any trouble."

Saffron hit him playfully on the shoulder. "Everyone knows that. It's water under the bridge."

"All right," Gabriel chuckled. "I'm going to miss you too, believe it or not."

"I'd believe it," Andrew said with a grin. "But no one will miss her as much as I will."

Saffron grinned at Andrew. "He's probably anxious to get rid of me."

"Yeah right," Gabriel replied.

Andrew put an arm around Saffron. "She's got to go back and start her campaign for Head Girl."

"And Quidditch Captain," Saffron added. "I want it all."

"Next stop the world?" Gabriel asked.

"Maybe I'll be the next Minister," Saffron pretended to think.

"Too bad you're not an American," Gabriel said thoughtfully. "You could be our next President."

"I'd whip your country into shape," Saffron bragged, making Andrew laugh.

"You are too much," Gabriel said shaking his head.

Lavender and Seamus came into the room. "Hi, Saffron," Seamus said. "Andrew."

"Hi Uncle Seamus," Saffron bounded over to hug him. "I'm going to miss you both a lot."

"We'll miss you too, sweetheart," Seamus said. "And I wanted to thank you for being so nice to Gabe this holiday."

"He made it pretty easy," Saffron giggled.

Lavender gave Saffron a hug and peck on the cheek. "I'm afraid we have to get going."

"Maybe we'll see you around Christmas," Gabriel told his cousin.

"We'd better," Saffron said smiling at him.

"Have a good year at school Saffron," Lavender said to her niece. "Keep us posted on everything going on."

"Her quest for the reign of terror, you mean," Andrew snickered.

Saffron elbowed him hard in the ribs.

"Come on, Saffy," Andrew said rubbing his side. "We'd better go."

"Right," Saffron said.

"Bye cousin," Gabriel said to Saffron. "And thank you for everything."

"Very welcome," Saffron grinned at him. "You behave now. Danielle told me about when you walked her home after the wedding."

Gabriel's eyes grew large. "I didn't do anything but walk her back, Saf."

"You mean there was no goodnight kiss?" Saffron asked. "I had a feeling she was exaggerating. Oh well."

"She's certainly not shy," Gabriel said remembering how the Weasley girl had came onto him.

"That's Danielle for you," Saffron said.

"Have a safe trip," Andrew said to the Finnigans.

"Thank you Andrew," Lavender said. "It was lovely meeting you."

"Bye, guys," Saffron said as she grabbed some Floo powder.

After Saffron and Andrew left, Gabriel took one last look around the place that had been his home all summer long.

"It went by entirely too fast," Lavender said echoing her stepson's thoughts.

"I can't wait to see my grandparents again," Gabriel said.

"And you'll be back in time for the footbase season," Lavender said.

"Footbase?" Gabriel asked with a laugh. "Baseball, Lavender. And I'm sure I can see a couple of games."

"Baseball, Footbase, whatever." she waved her hand. "Shopping is much more important."

"Don't even try teaching her anything," Seamus said. "I gave that up years ago..."

Gabriel laughed. "I'll take your word for it."

"Come on then," Lavender said using her wand to shrink down their luggage. "Our portkey activates any second now."

"How do I do this again?" Gabriel asked.

Seamus held up one of Lavender's magazines. "Just put your hand on this."

"Okay," Gabriel touched it tentatively.

"And hang on," Lavender said putting a hand on the magazine as well. "It's much better this way and no jet lag."

Gabriel nodded, feeling a bit nervous. He hadn't liked travelling much this way before and wasn't looking forward to it now.

Lavender closed her eyes as the portkey activated and she felt that familiar tug behind her navel.

Within moments they were back in their LA flat. "That's crazy but it's quick," Seamus said.

Gabriel tried to get his bearings. Even though it was quick, it wasn't something he relished experiencing anytime soon. "So I guess this is it..."

"I'll call a car to take you home," Lavender offered.

"That'd be nice," Gabriel said watching as his father returned the luggage to its normal size.

"You'll let me know if you need anything right?" Seamus asked him anxiously. "And you know you're always welcome around here. I made a key for you to get in whenever you feel like coming over."

"I'm going to be really busy with school, but I'll try," Gabriel promised.

"Just keep in touch," Seamus replied. "Now that we've gotten to know one another--"

"I know that you're going to be busy too, Dad," Gabriel said interrupting his father.

"Well of course- in fact I go back to England in a few days but I just... I'll miss you Gabe." Seamus said.

Gabriel smiled at his father. For seventeen years, he didn't know anything about his dad. There was still a part of him that was angry at his mother for denying him the chance to grow up with a father, but she had her reasons and there was nothing he could do to change that. And he couldn't help wondering what life would have been like had his parents stayed together.

"I’ll miss you too," Gabriel said.

"The car will be here in ten minutes," Lavender came back in. "I've got to get down to my shop so I'll say goodbye to you now Gabe."

"Oh," Gabriel said turning to give her a hug. "Thanks for everything this summer, Lavender. I know it didn't start out all that well..."

"Nonsense," Lavender said. "You're a bright, smart young man and I expect to see you doing well at your school very soon."

Gabriel laughed. "I will certainly do my best."

"Call us once in awhile." Lavender told him, kissing his cheek. "And say hello to your grandparents for us."

"I will," Gabriel said sitting down on the sofa as his stepmother gave Seamus a kiss goodbye and a promise to bring home something good for dinner.

Seamus looked at his son once they were alone. "Now that you're back in California, be careful of the paparazzi. If any of them give you a really difficult time tell me."

"I can take care of it, Dad," Gabriel said. "It's not as if you can do anything about it anyway."

"I know but I have some pull around here and sometimes those blokes can be scary and they'll do anything to get a photo. So I just want you to be careful," Seamus warned.

Gabriel nodded. "I'll keep my guard up."

The buzzer sounded at that moment from the doorman downstairs, announcing that Gabriel's taxi had arrived. "I'll help you take your bags down," Seamus offered.

"You don't have to," Gabriel said. "It's just the two and I know you have a lot to catch up on. I'll be okay."

"I want to," Seamus insisted.

Gabriel laughed. "You're as bad as Mom was. I remember my first day of school, she wanted to walk me in, but I wanted to do it by myself..."

Seamus smiled. "That sounds like her."

Gabriel picked up one of his bags while his father got the other one.

They rode down the lift in relative silence and it wasn't until they had put the bags in the boot that it hit Gabriel exactly how much his father had grown to mean to him that summer.

Seamus handed the driver a twenty dollar bill and then turned to say goodbye to his son. "You all ready to go?'

"Yeah," Gabriel thrust his hands in his pockets.

"I can't tell you what having you with me meant to me," Seamus said the emotions of the day finally catching up to him. "This isn't the end, Gabe."

"I know," Gabriel said. "I'm really glad we got to know each other Dad. You've been a really great father since we met this summer."

Seamus smiled. "It's all new to me."

"Having a father is new to me," Gabriel said. "I mean, Grandpa's been great of course, but..."

"It's not the same," Seamus said nodding. "Well, you've got a dad now. And I'm so proud of you."

"Thanks," Gabriel grinned at him. "I'll give you a call tomorrow."

Seamus gave his son one last hug. "Give Margaret and Lewis my best, okay?"

"I will," Gabriel nodded. "You and Lav come over some night and I’ll make us all dinner."

"We will," Seamus said watching as his son got into the car. He gave a slight wave as the driver took off.

Seamus stood out on the sidewalk for the longest time. Finally, he looked up and smiled. "Thank you, Sam."

126. 126

A/N: We’re so glad you enjoyed the flashback with Samantha last chapter and we’re also so happy you guys finally got to meet Hannah. In this chapter you get Saffron and friends heading back to school as well as more honeymoon ;)

So as always, please drop us a line and let us know what you think!!!

Saffron laughed as her father pulled her large trunk out of the boot. "Dad, we could have shrunk that you know. I don't want you straining your back."

"Very funny Saffron Grace," Harry said.

"Well you aren't as young as you used to be," Saffron teased.

"Saffy!" Hermione exclaimed, laughing.

Saffron opened her mouth to apologise, but someone tapped her on the shoulder. And she turned to see Beth standing with her parents.

"Oh my God!" Beth squealed. "Saffy! Did you hear! Oliver Wood is going to be our new headmaster! He's soooooooooooooooooooooo hot!"

Saffron laughed. "Yes I heard... I can't wait to see how this year goes."

"I'm going to want to get in trouble this year for sure," Beth whispered to Saffron. "I mean he's as old as our parents, but wow!"

"Nice to see you again, Elizabeth," Harry muttered.

Hermione poked her husband in the side. "Don't be sore, Harry."

"So are you still with Andrew Kirke?" Beth asked eagerly.

Saffron nodded and couldn't help smiling as she thought of her boyfriend. "Yes, we're still together."

"And how's Lexie taking her break-up?" Beth asked.

"Her what?" Saffron asked pulling a confused face.

"I saw those pictures of RJ with Serena Starr in the paper," Beth said shaking her head. "I always said he was a complete dog."

"They're as together as can be," Saffron replied. "He's just friends with that airhead."

"Oh, okay," Beth said with a relieved sigh. "I'll catch up with you on the train, Saffy!"

"Okay," Saffron waved and then turned to look in the crowd for Andrew. He'd said he would definitely be there to see her off.

"Hi, Saffron," Peter said as he pushed his trolley past her.

"Hi... Peter." she said. "How... how are you?"

"I'm doing okay," he said softly. "Um, hello Minister Potter. Mr. Potter..."

Harry nodded and Hermione greeted the young man. "Did you have a nice holiday?" she asked him.

"Very nice," Peter replied. "But I'm eager to get back to work. I, um hear congratulations are in order. I read about your brother's wedding, Saffy."

"It was really nice," Saffron nodded. Her anger at her ex boyfriend had cooled off considerably and she couldn't bring herself to treat him badly.

Peter smiled at her. "I'll---I'll see you on the train."

"Sure," Saffron smiled back at him.

Hermione put an arm around her daughter. "He seems to have turned over a new leaf."

"Yeah," Saffron nodded. "We'll see what happens there."

"Do you want to go on through to the platform?" Harry asked his daughter. "For all you know, Andrew might be waiting for you there."

"Yes!" Saffron exclaimed, running ahead of them.

Hermione shared a look with Harry. "We see how we rate, don't we?"

"Like you said," Harry batted his eyes in a smartass manner. "Young love!"

Hermione laughed as she made a mad dash for the wall.

Inside, she saw that Saffron had indeed found Andrew. Harry purposely averted his eyes as his daughter snogged her boyfriend.

"Come on let's go put her things on the train," Hermione was amused at her husband's facial expression.

"Right," Harry said pushing the trolley past Saffron and Andrew.

"Are you sure I can't sneak you on the train?" Saffron asked when they pulled apart.

"Positive," Andrew said smiling at her. "Merlin, I'm going to miss you."

"Only about half as much as I'll miss you." Saffron buried her face in his shoulder.

Andrew held her tightly. "I'll write to you every day."

"I'll owl you the Hogsmeade schedule as soon as I find out when we're going," Saffron said. "And I've got about six million pictures of you and me that I'm putting on my bedside table."

Andrew brushed a strand of hair behind her ear. "I have something else for you, too."

"You do?" she asked.

Andrew pulled a small box from his pocket and handed it to her. "Open it."

"Oooh," Saffron's eyes opened wide. "Andrew!"

"Open it, Saf," Andrew urged.

Tears sprang to her eyes when she saw the locket inside. It strongly resembled the ones her mother and Julie both wore.

"You like it, don't you?" Andrew asked hopefully.

"I love it," her tears spilled over.

Andrew pulled her into his arms again. "Don't cry, Saf."

"I can't help it," she sniffed. "You're so perfect."

"I'm far from perfect," Andrew said kissing the top of her head. "And you and I both know it."

"I don't want to leave," she held him tightly. "I hate it that I'm not going to see you for at least a month Andrew."

"We'll write and the weeks will go by so fast," he reassured her. "And we'll both be busy so that'll help keep our minds off of how much we miss each other..."

"I hope so," Saffron wiped her eyes.

"We don't have much time," Andrew said taking the locket from the box. "Let's see how this looks..."

"Okay," she held up her hair while he fastened the locket around her neck. "It's beautiful."

"You're beautiful," he said softly.

"I love you so much," her eyes flooded with tears again.

"I love you too," Andrew said giving her another kiss.

Meanwhile across the platform, RJ and Alexa were having their own goodbye.

"Promise me you'll write?" Alexa asked him. "I know you're busy but--"

"I'm not that great of a writer," he admitted. "But I'll try, Lexie."

"Just a note every now and again?" Alexa let her hands creep up over his chest to his shoulders. The new step they'd taken in their relationship made her feel more confident than ever that they'd be able to make the distance work out.

"I think I could do that," RJ said giving her a kiss. "I wish you could be there for my first match."

"I'll be listening on the Wireless," she promised.

"And tonight when you go to sleep," RJ said nuzzling her neck. "You can remember what we did last night..."

"Right," she giggled. "And the night before that..."

"And what we'll do every night of Christmas holiday," RJ said.

Alexa kissed him again. "I'm really going to miss you."

"How much?" he asked, putting his hands on her waist.

"More than you know," she leaned in.

"You could always drop out and move in with me and live a life of debauchery," RJ said wickedly before claiming her lips.

Alexa laughed as they kissed again. "Don't tempt me."

"But I'm so good at it," RJ said huskily.

"You definitely are," she agreed softly, running her hands through his hair.

"All aboard!" someone said off in the distance.

Alexa tried to pull away from her boyfriend, but he held on to her tightly. "Not yet..."

"RJ..." she almost melted against him. "I have to go I just don't want to."

RJ kissed her again. "Okay..."

"I'll miss you," she said, not letting go as they walked towards the train.

"Not as much as I'll miss you," he said kissing her again, walking her backwards toward the train. They received some dirty looks from some of the parents, but ignored anything and everything but each other.

Alexa kept her mouth pressed to his as she stumbled up onto the first step of the train.

"I love you, Alexa O'Leary," he said as the train started to pull away from the station.

"I love you too RJ," she called out. "Write me!"

RJ waved and Alexa stuck her head out waving back until she could no longer see him.

Saffron had told her she would meet up with her in their usual compartment so that's where Alexa headed.

Saffron was still wiping at her eyes when her best friend came in.

"Saffy---" Alexa said sympathetically.

"I'm okay," Saffron said. "I'm just going to miss him so much Lex."

"I know," Alexa said sitting down beside her best friend. She noticed the locket around her best friend's neck. "Did your mum let you have it?"

"Andrew bought me one," Saffron said. "Isn't it gorgeous? He just gave it to me now."

"Oh, Saffy," Alexa gasped. "That's so romantic!"

"You're holding up so much better than me," Saffron pulled another tissue from her pocket. "Is it because you and RJ are... intimate and everything?"

Alexa blushed. "I'll probably cry my eyes out when I go to sleep tonight, but so far, I'm doing okay..."

"We haven't had much of a chance to talk about everything," Saffron made sure the door was shut. "What's it like?"

"Well," Alexa said thoughtfully. "It's absolutely incredible. He's just...he's....gentle and caring and he was so scared he was hurting me..."

Saffron smiled at her friend. "Does it make you feel different?"

Alexa nodded. "I can't really describe it...you just do. I know I'm still me and RJ's still RJ, but it's just...different."

"I'm really happy for you guys," Saffron said reaching into her bag for a tissue. Her eyes caught sight of the letter Gabriel had asked her to give to Alexa. She pulled out the envelope and handed it to her friend. "It's from Gabe."

"He wrote me a letter?" Alexa asked in surprise.

"Yeah- he said it was just a goodbye," Saffron stuffed the tissues into her bag.

"Oh," Alexa said staring at the letter. "He's gone?"

"Back in California," Saffron nodded. "Oh guess who I saw at the station."

"Who?" Alexa asked.

"Peter," Saffron leaned back against the seat. "He's like he was at the beginning of last term."

"No longer Mister Ego then?" Alexa asked.

"Doesn't seem like it," Saffron replied. "And I'm really not angry with him anymore. I think part of that is because Andrew's been a good influence."

"Maybe you can be friends like you were before," Alexa said thoughtfully.

"Never say never," Saffron opened up her locket. "I already miss Andrew so much."

"We're going to be so much fun at the feast tonight, aren't we?" Alexa asked shaking her head. "We'll be crying throughout the sorting."

Her friend's expression made Saffron laugh a bit through her tears. "We're like a couple of old wives aren't we?"

Alexa giggled. "Do you remember our third year when Stephanie Rollins was bawling the entire meal? We made such fun of her because she was in agony over her boyfriend back home. And you and I both wondered why someone would get so crazy over a boy."

"And we both swore we would never get that way," Saffron was still crying but now it was from laughing so hard.

"And look at us now," Alexa said leaning in her seat. "We're just as bad. No, we're worse."

"I think we're worse," Saffron agreed. "Much, much worse."

"At least we're in it together," Alexa said smiling at her friend. "We know exactly what the other is going through."

"Right," Saffron said. "I'm so glad we're still here together at least."

"Me too," Alexa agreed.

"And as much as I hate it," Saffron said looking at her watch. "I need to go and do rounds."

"I'll be here," Alexa laid back. "I feel like I haven't read a book in ages."

"Because you've been doing other things," Saffron teased her.

Alexa giggled. "Go and wield your power, you prefect!"

Saffron smiled at her before heading down the corridor.

Alexa looked down at the envelope that was still in her lap. With a heavy heart, she picked it up and opened it.

Lex-

I wanted to start off by apologising again for the one day we were at the bakery. I overstepped my bounds with you. You've been a good friend to me since I came to England and I'm sorry that things ended the way they did.

But I'm not sorry that I met you and that you became such a good friend. You, Andrew, Saffron and RJ all accepted me into your group and for that I'm extremely grateful.

I hope maybe we'll be able to be friends despite how things were by the time I left.

Sincerely,

Gabe

Alexa wiped at her eyes. She couldn't believe he'd taken the time to write to her. After the way things had ended at the wedding, she was sure that he'd never wanted to see her again. And she had wondered whether anything had happened between him and Danielle.

She pulled out her quill and a piece of parchment to write back to him but couldn't think of what to say. She hoped perhaps Saffron could help her write a letter to him.

Saffron went up and down the corridors a few times but no one seemed to be misbehaving yet. Her meeting with the other prefects and the Head Boy and Girl had not taken long and she was just heading back to her compartment when she ran into Peter again.

"Hiya, Saffy," Peter said politely. "Long time no see."

"Hi Peter," Saffron smiled at him but kept her guard. "It's nice to see you again."

Peter stuck his hands in his pockets and looked down at his feet. In light of everything that had happened, he wouldn't have been surprised if she'd told him to jump off the train. But, he was trying to put his life back together.

"I missed out on being a prefect," Peter finally said looking at her. "I really was a complete idiot last year."

"We all make mistakes," Saffron replied. "It's not always easy to bounce back."

"I'm lucky I wasn't kicked out of school," Peter said quietly.

"Yeah but you came forward and nailed Christina Grant," Saffron replied. "You could have gotten in huge trouble but you spoke up. That took courage."

"I should never have become involved with her in the first place," Peter said. "But she knew how insecure I was about you and RJ and she played on that."

"She deserved what she got and a lot more than that," Saffron said. "I've never seen Dumbledore so angry before."

Peter shuddered at the memory of it. The headmaster had been completely livid when he'd found out exactly what Christina had done. "I really am sorry for what happened, Saffy. All of it."

"I know," Saffron nodded. "But it's all in the past- we can't change any of it."

"Do you think we could be friends again?" Peter asked her. "I know we can never go back to how we were before, but your friendship always meant so much to me. And I don't have an agenda, Saffy. Really. I'm not trying to win you back because I know you're with Andrew Kirke and you love him. I just want to be your friend, if you'll let me."

Saffron looked at him a moment. "Might be nice to have my old study partner back," she said.

Peter smiled. "Really?"

"Yeah," she nodded. "I mean, we're in almost all the same classes and everything."

"We are," Peter agreed. "And I know you can't wait to get back to Quidditch."

"I really want to be captain this year," Saffron replied. "And I wonder who our Head of House is since McGonagall retired. At least yours is still the same."

"I wouldn't be surprised if your sister was," Peter said thoughtfully.

"She didn't say anything to me about it," Saffron leaned against the wall as some first years went past. "But maybe she doesn't know either."

"I imagine you have captain locked up," Peter told her. "Your dad was captain of his house team during his sixth year right?"

"Right," Saffron nodded.

"I'll let you get back," Peter said. "I was just on my way to find a quiet spot to get in some reading."

"That's what Lex is doing back in our compartment," Saffron said. "Um... you're welcome to join us if you want. I'm almost done with my patrol."

"That's okay," Peter said not wanting to overstep his bounds. "I might catch up with you guys later. Perhaps we could share a carriage to the castle?"

"Sure," Saffron nodded. "We'll meet you just off the train in Hogsmeade."

Peter grinned at her. "I'll see you then."

"Bye Peter," Saffron smiled and went on her way.

Beth and Mimi had joined Alexa in the compartment and both were peppering her with questions about RJ and Serena Starr. Saffron rolled her eyes as she sat down beside her best friend.

"She's such a tart," Beth was saying. "If RJ would prefer her over you..."

"He doesn't," Alexa said for what seemed like the tenth time. "They're just friends, Beth."

"Yeah but she's always all over him," Beth protested. "I mean it's so obvious that she's got a thing for him!"

"Well, yes, but he's not into her," Alexa said. "Can we please talk about something else?"

Mimi grinned. "Yes! Saffy, I'm glad you're here. You can tell us all about your hot cousin. What's he like? Is he single? Could you introduce me?"

Saffron raised an eyebrow. "How did you lot hear about Gabe?"

"Duh!" Mimi giggled. "It was in all the papers, Saffy."

"Well it might be hard to introduce you," Saffron replied. "He's a Muggle and he lives in California."

"Oooh!" Mimi squealed. "You're so lucky, Saffy! You have a hot cousin and a hot brother! I saw those photos of him and Maddie in the paper. How lucky is she?"

"I loved her dress," Mimi chimed in. "And it's so romantic how she used to have this massive crush on him and he finally took notice of her...."

Saffron was amused. "I don't think of my brother that way. To me he's a huge smelly prat."

"Not to me," Mimi said pretending to swoon. "He's yummy."

"Gross," Saffron giggled. "It was a gorgeous wedding though. Lexie caught the bouquet!"

"Lex!" Beth exclaimed. "You didn't tell us!"

"I didn't get a chance to," Alexa finally gave up on trying to read.

"That means you'll be next!" Beth teased nudging her friend. "Alexa Weasley...that has a very nice ring to it."

"Stop," Alexa laughed, her face going bright red.

"Alexa O'Leary Weasley," Mimi announced in a dramatic tone. "And Saffron Potter Kirke."

"That does sound rather nice," Saffron smiled lazily. "I wish Andrew was still in school."

"You'll see him during Hogsmeade weekends," Beth said encouragingly.

"They feel so long away," Saffron crossed her arms. "And I wish I could have brought my little Puddles."

The woman with the snack trolley passed their compartment door and Beth and Mimi excused themselves to buy some treats. Alexa was happy to have her best friend to herself for a few moments.

"Sickle for your thoughts?" Saffron asked her friend.

"I'm glad you're back," Alexa said. "I want to write a letter to Gabe but I'm not sure what to say."

"I take it you read his letter?" Saffron asked. "What did it say?"

"Just that he was sorry that things ended up the way they did and he was glad he met all of us," Alexa said, pulling it out and handing it to her friend.

Saffron took the letter and read it with a thoughtful expression on her face. Her heart went out to her cousin who had been through so much the last few months.

"Nothing happened between him and Danielle Weasley," Saffron told Alexa. "She certainly tried..."

Alexa found that she was pleased at this bit of information.

"Dani's a big flirt," Saffron said. "Always has been."

"She's really pretty," Alexa replied.

Saffron nodded. "She looks exactly like Fleur and she's completely spoiled because she's the youngest of five."

Alexa smiled. "How are your brother and Maddie enjoying their honeymoon?"

"Having the time of their lives," Saffron replied. "Sun, fun and shagging. I don't imagine they'll want to come back."

"I know I certainly wouldn't want to leave," Alexa said.

Saffron smiled. "I hope you don't mind, but I kind of invited Peter to ride to the castle with us."

Alexa's eyebrows shot up in surprise. "I don't mind, Saffy."

"He really does feel bad about what happened," Saffron said.

"And he did come forward and confess what he'd done," Alexa said thoughtfully. "He didn't have to do that."

"He told me he doesn't have an agenda," Saffron pulled her knees up to her chest. "That he wants us to be friends again. When I write to Andrew I'm going to tell him about it."

"Good idea," Alexa said. "I wonder what Andrew and RJ are doing now..."

"Missing us I hope," Saffron said with a grin.

"Of course," Alexa said grinning back at her.

She pulled out a spare piece of parchment and started to write the letter to Gabe.

Gabriel:

I'm sorry that we didn't have a chance to have a proper goodbye. And I'm sorry that things happened the way they did. But I'm not sorry that I met you. I really meant it when I said I wanted us to be friends.

"What are you doing?" Saffron asked as she studied her locket.

"Writing to Gabe," Alexa replied looking up from the letter.

"Can I see?" Saffron asked.

Alexa nodded and handed over what she had so far. "I never meant to hurt him, Saffy."

"I know you didn't," Saffron replied. "He knows that too."

Alexa nodded. "What do you think? Does it sound okay?"

"Yeah," Saffron said. "I'll make sure it gets to my Aunt Lav and she'll send it to Gabriel."

"Thanks," Alexa said gratefully.

"I can't believe you took the last pack of Bertie Botts," Beth was complaining to Mimi.

Mimi rolled her eyes. "Don't blame me. I imagine those first-years got to them first. It's not my fault they didn't plan better, Beth."

Beth sat down in a huff. "Well you could have at least asked before snatching them up like that."

"I'll share them with you," Mimi offered.

"Okay," Beth grumbled. "Bloody first years. I know we were never like that."

"Oh please," Saffron laughed at her friends. "We were all like that. No parents telling us we couldn't eat all the sweets we wanted..."

Alexa smiled as she remembered her first ever train ride on the Hogwarts express.

She'd been completely nervous and hadn't slept a wink the night before. Luckily, she'd found a nice girl who had taken pity on her and showed her how to get through onto the platform. Unfortunately, she'd lost that girl in the crowd and was trying to find somewhere to sit. All around her, older children were scurrying to find their own spots and talking excitedly with old friends.

She was jostled by everyone else scrambling for the train and she quickly boarded, hoping she'd still be able to find somewhere to sit.

"Get out of the way," a very tall boy with blonde hair hissed as he pushed her out of his way.

Alexa felt tears welling up in her eyes and she thought very seriously about getting off the train and running into her mother's arms.

"There you are," someone said tapping her on the shoulder. Alexa turned to see the same brown-haired girl who had helped her earlier.

"Hi," Alexa said wiping at her eyes. "I don't know where I'm going..."

"We can go find a compartment to sit in," the girl said. "Maddie said she'd save a seat for me and you can join us."

"Thanks," Alexa said gratefully. "I-I don't know anyone."

"You know me," the girl smiled. "I'm Saffron Potter."

"Alexa O'Leary," Alexa said smiling back at her. "Is this your first year, too?"

"Yeah," Saffron nodded. "But my brother and sister have both gone here so I know all about the school."

Alexa nodded. "Wow...I'm an only child and the only person in my family to be a...well, to be a witch."

"That's cool," Saffron stopped suddenly. "I'll introduce you to my friend RJ. He's a third year."

Alexa watched as Saffron slid open a door where a blonde girl was sitting with two boys. The two boys were playing some sort of game and the girl was staring out the window with a dreamy expression on her face.

The red-haired boy groaned when he saw who had come inside the compartment. "Saffron, you're not old enough to be at Hogwarts..."

"Shut up RJ," Saffron pushed him aside. "I'm eleven now!"

"RJ, remember what mum and dad said," the blonde girl said in a soft voice. "You're to be nice."

RJ rolled his eyes. "Not to Saffy, Maddie."

"Since he's forgotten his manners," Saffron said to the other boy in the compartment. "I'll introduce myself. I'm Saffron Potter. And you are---"

"Andrew Kirke," he replied.

"Nice to meet you Andrew," Saffron said. "This is my new friend Alexa O'Leary."

"Hiya," Andrew said politely.

"Nice to meet you, Alexa," Maddie said. "I'm Maddie Weasley. And this is my little brother, RJ."

"RJ's a big dork," Saffron explained. "But Maddie's really cool."

"If there's any justice in this world, you'll get sorted into Ravenclaw or Hufflepuff," RJ said glaring at her.

"S-sorted?" Alexa asked Saffron.

"When we get to school us first years have to get sorted," Saffron explained. "There are four houses. I bet we both get into Gryffindor."

"You have to face a dragon," RJ said with a gleam in his eyes. "And then a mountain troll..."

"Shut up RJ we do not," Saffron gave him a dirty look.

"How would you know?" RJ asked her. "You've never been sorted."

"Ease up, mate," Andrew said clapping his friend on the back. "You're scaring them."

"RJ," Maddie said disapprovingly. "Be nice."

"I'm being nice," RJ said sitting back down. "Alexa thinks I'm being nice, don't you?"

"Um..." Alexa said nervously as he smiled at her. "Sure..."

"See?" RJ said beaming at Saffron. "I'm nice."

"Whatever," Saffron rolled her eyes. "When does the witch with the sweets cart usually come by?"

"Any minute, I expect," Andrew replied.

"Good," Saffron eagerly reached for her money pouch.

"Are you Muggle born?" Maddie asked the younger girl. "You look a little lost..."

"Yes," Alexa said shyly.

"Don't listen to my brother, you don't have to face a dragon or a troll," Maddie said. "And he was just as scared as you were on his first day at Hogwarts, too. Our older brothers had him convinced he was going to have to sacrifice a live chicken..."

Saffron laughed. "Jon and Josh are the best."

"I knew they were joking," RJ scoffed.

Maddie shook her head. "You did not, RJ."

"Maddie," RJ glared at her. "You're not supposed to be against me!"

"I'm on your side when you're not trying to scare people," Maddie reminded him.

"They basically make you sit up in front of everyone with a hat on your head," Andrew explained to Alexa, who still looked a bit terrified. "And the hat shouts out the name of the house you'll be in all seven years at Hogwarts."

"W-what house are all of you in?" Alexa asked.

"Gryffindor," Maddie replied. "Weasleys are always sorted into Gryffindor."

"RJ should have been a Hufflepuff," Saffron teased. "He's really a big chicken."

"Shut up Saffron," RJ replied. "Especially if you want to make the House team in a few years."

"I'd make it my first year if I tried out," Saffron retorted. "But I want to concentrate on my studies for now."

"Sure," RJ smirked at her.

Maddie explained to Alexa the four houses at Hogwarts.

Alexa looked down at her lap. She wasn't very brave. There was no way she'd get sorted into Gryffindor. She'd probably get into Hufflepuff and be far away from the only people she knew.

"Can we sit with you lot?" Two girls who also looked to be first years poked their heads inside.

"Everywhere else is full," one of the girls said.

"Of course," Maddie smiled at them. "We've still got room here."

One of the girls gaped at Saffron. "Oh! I know who you are! You're the Minister's daughter! And your father is Harry Potter!"

Saffron blushed a little. "Yeah..."

"I'm Beth Murphy," the girl gushed. "And this is Mimi Doyle. I can't believe I'm actually meeting you."

Alexa watched this and wondered what was going on. She didn't know who Harry Potter was and she certainly didn't realise the Prime Minister's daughter was a witch.

"Nice to meet you both too," Saffron said. "This is Alexa O'Leary, Andrew Kirke and Maddie Weasley."

"Hey what about me!" RJ squawked.

"Stray dog," Saffron said dismissively.

"Saffy," Maddie was laughing. "This is my brother, RJ Weasley."

"Hello, ladies," RJ said winking at Mimi and Beth who giggled.

"So suave," Saffron laughed at him.

"You'll have to forgive my brother," Maddie said to Alexa. "He's suddenly realised girls aren't stupid. He's a bit of a walking hormone these days."

"MADDIE!" RJ's face turned as red as his hair.

"You are," Maddie said waving her hand.

"This is why I worship you Maddie," Saffron laughed.

"She's as bad as Josh and Jon," RJ grumbled.

"Do you two always fight like this?" Andrew asked.

RJ looked at his best friend. "Do you remember me telling you about that annoying 10-year old who kept following me around this summer? This would be her..."

"For the last time, I'm 11," Saffron said glaring at him.

"You used to follow me around," Maddie told her brother. "And told everyone you were a fae--" RJ clamped a hand over her mouth.

"Maddie, please shut up," RJ hissed.

"There she is," Saffron jumped up. "Alexa come out with me and we'll get some sweets!"

"Okay," Alexa said getting to her feet. She followed Saffron out into the corridor. "Um, Saffron...I didn't know you were the Prime Minister's daughter. I didn't even know he had a daughter..."

"I'm not the Prime Minister's daughter," Saffron said picking some treats off the trolley.

"But they said---" Alexa said pulling a confused face.

"I'm the Minister for Magic's daughter," Saffron replied. "In the Wizarding World, we have a whole different government system."

"So your mother is the most powerful woman in the Wizarding world then?" Alexa asked.

"I guess," Saffron replied. "I guess you could say that."

Alexa sighed. "I have so much to learn."

Saffron giggled. "We'll have all our classes together so I'll help you with anything you need to know."

"We probably won't be in the same house," Alexa said.

"I think we might," Saffron said. "I mean, you were brave enough to come to a school you knew nothing about."

"I'm not brave," Alexa said shaking her head. "I couldn't sleep last night because I was so afraid about being around people I didn't know..."

"Well now you know us," Saffron smiled at her. "And you and I will be the best of friends, I just know it."

"Promise?" Alexa asked smiling back at her.

"Promise," Saffron grinned.

Alexa felt much better and she decided that perhaps she would buy some sweets. She looked at the cart and her jaw dropped. "Chocolate frogs?"

Saffron giggled. "They're really fun and they have collectible cards in them."

"I'll take two then," Alexa said.

"Bertie Botts are good but you have to be careful with them," Saffron said. "We can share mine. The liquorice snaps are my favourites."

Alexa nodded and Saffron helped her sort out the money. She was still getting used to Wizard currency. Before long, both girls returned to the compartment.

"Get me anything?" RJ asked grinning at Alexa.

"W-what?" she asked nervously. "Um..."

"No," Saffron handed a few pumpkin pasties to Maddie.

"You can have one of my Chocolate Frogs if you want," Alexa said, her face flaming.

"You should give Saf lessons," RJ said reaching out for one of the frogs.

"Whatever RJ," Saffron replied. "Go buy your own sweets."

"Thanks, Alexa," RJ said ignoring Saffron. "You're sweet."

"I... I... am?" Alexa stammered.

"Sweeter than a chocolate frog," RJ said winking at her before turning his attention to Andrew. "Come on, mate. Let's go find Jason."

"Right," Andrew said. "Nice meeting you girls." he smiled at all four of them.

"Bye, Andrew," Saffron said waving at him.

"Little did you know," Beth giggled. "That you'd be head over heels for Andrew and Alexa and RJ would be couple of the century."

Mimi laughed. "And you could barely string two words together around him, Lex."

"I think I fancied him as soon as he talked to me for the first time," Alexa replied.

"Awwww," Mimi cooed. "That's so sweet!"

Saffron leaned back and opened her locket again. "Look what Andrew gave me today before I got on the train."

"That's gorgeous," Mimi said smiling at her. "I want an Andrew!"

Saffron giggled. "You can't have mine!"

"I wouldn't dare take you on," Mimi said. "I'm scared to death of you."

Beth and Alexa started laughing.

"You can be a bit scary," Mimi said hastily to Saffron.

"Thanks, I think." Saffron grinned at her.

"And we love her just the same," Alexa said nudging her friend.

"Everyone does," Saffron said dramatically.

Mimi, Beth, and Alexa laughed.

"Everyone except for Snape," Mimi said. "And Christina Grant."

"I hope Oliver Wood loves me," Saffron giggled.

"Saffy!" Beth squealed.

"I really can't believe he's our new headmaster," Mimi sighed. "He's still so dreamy!"

"You guys, he's old enough to be our father," Alexa pointed out.

"I like older men," Mimi declared.

Beth giggled. "He's certainly older..."

"Better looking with age." Saffron interjected.

"I love listening to him talk," Mimi said dreamily. "I heard him on the Wireless a few days ago and I nearly turned into a puddle of goo...that accent!"

Alexa shook her head and sat back. "We all have accents."

"Yes, but his is ...well, it's...," Mimi stammered, searching for the right word. "So...so....hot."

"Meems, I hope you never change," Saffron tossed a Bertie Botts at her.

Mimi beamed at her. "I hope we all stay just like this."

"Friends always," Beth said nodding.

*** *** ***

Ethan and Maddie had been on their honeymoon for about four days now. They were both enjoying the time spent alone with one another and the nights were just as active as the days.

"We could go out for dinner tonight," Maddie said as Ethan came back from taking a shower. They had spent a good deal of that day at the beach trying to get tanned.

"That sounds good," Ethan said running his hand through his damp hair. "Nice to eat something other than room service, right?"

"Right," Maddie grinned at him.

"Do you have any place in mind?" Ethan asked his wife.

"We could ask the concierge," Maddie suggested. "They should be able to give us some great ideas."

Ethan nodded. "Give me a couple minutes to get dressed and then we can get out of here."

"Sure," Maddie leaned in and gave him a kiss.

"You got quite a bit of sun today, Mrs. Potter," Ethan said touching her nose.

"So did you," Maddie gave him a dreamy smile. "You have freckles."

Ethan grinned. "They tend to come out when I get out in the sun."

"I think it makes you look very cute," Maddie kissed him again.

"Just cute?" he asked tickling her side.

"Oh I think you're more than cute," she giggled. "You're handsome, sweet, loving and my favourite person in the world."

"Much better," he said before kissing her.

She kept her arms wrapped around him. "I don't think I'll ever get tired of kissing you," Maddie said softly when they pulled apart.

"I should hope not," Ethan said. "We'll be doing that for the rest of our lives."

"I love you Ethan James," she closed her eyes as he kissed her again.

"And I love you, Madeline Molly," Ethan said softly.

They kissed for several minutes before Ethan pulled away. "Where are you going?" Maddie asked.

"To get dressed so we can go eat," Ethan said. "Because if we keep doing this, we'll never get out of here, Mads."

"I guess you're right," she smiled. "I don't want to have an empty stomach later."

"Nope," Ethan said smiling back at her. "We'll need out strength for later."

She fiddled with her hair while Ethan got dressed. "Think I look all right in this?" she asked him.

Ethan's jaw dropped as he took in his wife. She was wearing a black dress with embroidered white flowers along the hem. It hugged her curves in all the right places. "You look beautiful."

Maddie pecked him on the lips. "And I'm married to such a handsome man."

Ethan laughed. "I'm just in trousers and a dress shirt, Maddie."

"But you look so good like this," she said dreamily.

"Thank you," Ethan said winking at her. "You ready to go?"

Maddie nodded and grabbed her purse from the chair.

Ethan took her hand and led her out of the room. He couldn't remember ever feeling so happy or relaxed in his entire life.

"I'm sort of in the mood for some fish," Maddie said. "It's so fresh here, and I love the way they make it."

Ethan pressed the button for the lift and smiled at his wife. "Whatever you want, Maddie."

"I know what I want right now," she gave him a kiss.

He pulled her close. "Me?"

"I always want you," Maddie said huskily in his ear.

Ethan grinned and was about to give his wife another kiss when the lift pinged open.

Maddie pulled away guiltily and smiled at the elderly couple who got on. "What floor did you want?" she asked.

"The lobby, dear," the woman replied.

"That's where we're headed too," Maddie replied.

"Don't you two make a lovely pair," the woman said smiling at Maddie.

"Thank you," Maddie said with a grin. "We just got married, actually."

"Congratulations!" the woman exclaimed. "Bert and I are here for our 40th wedding anniversary."

"How lovely," Maddie said. "Congratulations to you as well!"

"Have you got any advice for us?" Ethan asked.

Bert laughed. "Edna and I just keep the romance alive."

"I don't imagine they're having too much trouble with that now," Edna said smiling at Maddie.

"I hope someday we'll be in the same position," Maddie said. "Giving this sort of advice to some newlyweds in the lift."

"I think you will," Edna said. "You two seem to be very much in love."

"We are," Ethan wound his arms back around her. "Very much so."

The lift pinged open and both of the couples stepped out of the lift.

"Enjoy your honeymoon," Edna said to Maddie and Ethan.

"You enjoy your 40th anniversary as well," Maddie said. "It was lovely meeting you both."

Ethan squeezed Maddie's hand as they watched the older couple walk away.

"We'll have to come back here on our big anniversaries," Ethan said. "Fifth...tenth...fifteenth..."

Maddie grinned at him. "Because you, Mr. Potter, are stuck with me."

"I wouldn't have it any other way," Ethan said pecking her on the cheek.

"That all you got?" Maddie asked.

Ethan laughed. "I didn't want to maul you in public."

"It's only mauling if I don't like it..." she flirted.

Ethan pulled her close and kissed her passionately. When they pulled apart, they were both quite breathless and Maddie looked dazed.

"Better?" he asked her.

"Mmmhmm..." Maddie replied.

They found a place to eat just down the road and came back to the room completely stuffed. "I think I made my father proud tonight," Maddie patted her stomach.

"I'd love to know where you put it all," Ethan said. "I've never seen a woman eat like you do."

"Well it's all about working it off," Maddie said with a devilish glint in her eye.

"Planning on going for a jog, are you?" Ethan asked teasingly. "Or did you want to do something else..."

"Something else..." Maddie ran her hands over his chest.

"I like this train of thought of yours," Ethan said before kissing her.

"I thought you might," Maddie pulled away. "And I have another surprise for you."

Ethan grinned. "What sort of surprise?"

"Get yourself undressed and in bed and you'll see..." Maddie said mysteriously.

Ethan stared at her. "O--Kay," he said slipping out of his shoes.

She disappeared into the bathroom as Ethan dropped his clothes next to the bed. "Are you ready?" Maddie called out teasingly.

Ethan slid under the covers and leaned back against the pillows. "I'm ready."

Maddie opened the door and posed in the frame. "Well?" she asked, a smile curving her lips up.

Ethan would have responded if he was capable of speech, but words failed him at that moment.

Tonight Maddie had chosen to wear one of the lingerie sets that Frankie had given her at the shower- it was a very light pink and didn't leave much to the imagination.

"Uh---uh," Ethan stammered. "Whoa...."

"I think you like it," Maddie crawled onto the bed, her hair swinging down over her shoulders.

"You look amazing," Ethan said unable to take his eyes off of her.

"Thank you," she purred, feeling more seductive than she ever had in her life.

"Who---who gave this to you?" Ethan said running his hand up her arm.

"Frankie," Maddie answered softly.

"Remind me to thank her," Ethan said leaning in.

Maddie closed her eyes as his lips met hers. Ethan's fingers tangled in her hair as he pulled her down on top of him.

"Mads," Ethan breathed against her skin.

"Yes Ethan?" she asked huskily.

"As much as I like this," Ethan said pulling one of the straps of her negligee down. "I want you out of it."

"I knew it wouldn't stay on long," Maddie said with a grin.

Ethan grinned back at her. "It's your fault for looking so good in it."

"Only the best for you Potter," Maddie helped him slide it off.

Ethan pulled her back down onto the bed. "I love you like this."

"What, completely starkers?" she asked with a giggle. "I happen to like you this way as well."

"Too bad we can't be like this always," Ethan said laughing.

"We could join a nudist colony," Maddie teased.

Ethan laughed. "Your dad would kill me."

"Can you imagine how it would be when I had a vision?" Maddie asked. "Running back to the Ministry with no clothes on?"

"You'd be in violation of their dress code," Ethan said. "And Justin would probably not be too crazy about me showing up to work starkers."

"Probably not," Maddie agreed. "Besides, I like it that I'm the only one who gets to see you like this."

"My thoughts exactly," Ethan said.

Maddie kissed him again. "I want you inside me Ethan..."

"Your wish," Ethan said, manoeuvring it so she was on her back. "Is my command..."

She arched her back as her husband slid into her.

"Right where I wanted to be," Ethan whispered in her ear as they started to move together.

Maddie wanted to tell him again how much she loved him but was incapable of speaking as the passion between them grew. It was all she could do to keep herself from crying out as loud as she could.

"God, Maddie!" Ethan moaned.

She clenched her teeth together as she gripped onto his back.

Ethan thrust into her one last time.

"Ethan," she cried as her body came up off the bed.

Ethan held onto her as he tried to regain his bearings. He rested his head on her shoulder.

"That was the best time yet..." Maddie whispered.

Ethan kissed her shoulder. "Yeah..."

Maddie wound her arms around him. "Promise me we'll always be this close."

"I promise you," he said softly. "Always."

"I want to be just like that couple we met tonight," she said. "Celebrating 40 and more years of marriage."

"And having lots of children and grandchildren?" Ethan asked her.

"Yes, definitely," Maddie smiled at him. "I want to be surrounded by them."

"You Weasleys do have lots and lots of kids," Ethan said smiling back at her.

"You're an honorary Weasley now," Maddie pressed her lips to his.

"Love you, Mads," he said.

"Love you too," she said. "Want to call it an early night?"

Ethan nodded. "You're worn me out."

"Look who's talking," Maddie returned.

Ethan pulled the covers around them. "You're a bad influence on me."

She giggled. "Bet you'd have never thought that, aye?"

Ethan pulled her close. "Not in a million years."

127. 127

Hey guys, sorry it’s a wee bit late tonight but at least we got the chapter up, right? If you guys like Hannah, you’ll see more of her this chapter, as well as the Jon Weasley family ;) As always, let us know what you think- it only takes a few seconds to leave a comment :D

Luna and Ron were entering their second week with their foster children and everything was going okay so far. The two boys had calmed down somewhat, but Ron insisted that was because they were busy plotting something big. Caitlin was sleeping through the night and Hannah, while still quiet, seemed to be adjusting okay.

Because of her busy schedule, Frankie hadn't been able to return to the house until that weekend and she and Will both carried bags of packages into the house.

"What's all this?" Luna asked when she opened the door.

"Loads of toys," Frankie replied. "And some clothes."

Luna gasped as she stood back to let them inside. "Frankie, you didn't have to do that.."

"We wanted to," Frankie replied.

"That was very sweet of you both," Luna said pecking Frankie and then Will on the cheek. "The kids are in the back with Ronald. "

"Great," Frankie smiled. "Come on Will."

"Frankie tells me you have five children altogether?" Will asked as they followed Luna through the house.

"Five next week," Luna said. "Right now we just have Caitlin, Hannah, Joey and Zack. By next Tuesday we'll also have Jenny, another five year old."

"And how's Ron doing with all this?" Will asked.

"He's dealing," Luna said with a laugh. "It's been awhile since we had such young kids around here. I've missed it."

Frankie couldn't wait to see Hannah again and she hoped that the young girl wouldn't be too upset that she hadn't been by again until now. She stepped out onto the porch with Will and Luna and saw the two boys playing football with Ron. Caitlin was in her playpen, but Hannah was nowhere to be seen.

"Whoa," Joey stopped when he saw Frankie and Will with their packages. "What's all that for?"

"Frankie and her husband Will brought you lot some presents," Luna told him. "What do you say, Joey?"

Joey shrugged. "What did you get us?"

"Joey!" Luna raised an eyebrow. "What have we been talking about since you got here?"

"You're supposed to say 'thank you'," Zack told his friend.

"Oh yeah," Joey said sheepishly.

"Either of you boys like to play chess?" Will asked pulling a new set out of the bag.

"I never played it," Zack answered.

"I can teach you everything I know," Ron said mussing Zack's hair.

Frankie felt someone tugging on her jumper and she turned to see Hannah staring up at her. "You---you came back," Hannah said softly.

"Hannah," Frankie grinned at her. "I was wondering where you were!"

Hannah smiled hesitantly at Frankie.

"She likes to play in the garden," Luna said. "She was helping me earlier. Weren't you, Hannah?"

Hannah nodded silently.

"There's someone I'd love for you to meet," Frankie said kneeling down so she'd be eye-level with Hannah. "Will?"

"You must be Hannah," Will smiled invitingly at her. "I've heard loads about you."

Hannah looked at Frankie and then Luna with a stricken expression on her face. She wrapped her arms around Frankie's leg and turned her face away from Will.

"Hannah?" Frankie asked. "What's wrong, sweetheart?"

Hannah shook her head but didn't say a word.

Frankie patted her back soothingly. "We brought some presents for you. Would you like to look at them?"

When Hannah didn't respond Luna leaned down next to her. "Sweetheart... you can tell us if something's upset you."

"Can we go back in the garden?" Hannah whispered in Luna's ear.

"You don't want your gifts?" Luna asked perplexedly.

Will wondered if perhaps he was the problem. "I'll just show the boys what we bought for them. Come on, Joey, Zack..."

Frankie tucked Hannah's hair back behind her ear. "Hannah..." she said softly. "Are you scared of Will?"

Hannah nodded.

"Honey, you know you don't have to be," Frankie told her gently.

"Will's a really nice young man," Luna said. "He has a niece who's a couple of years older than you."

"And he spoils her rotten," Frankie said. “And he loves my nieces Caroline and Emma like they were his own..."

Hannah blinked back tears as Luna brushed her hair back.

"It's going to be okay, sweetie," Luna said picking her up. "I promise."

"Hannah I'm sorry," Frankie stood up. "I never meant to upset you."

"How about we go inside?" Luna asked. "Just the three of us and we can take a look at what Frankie brought. What do you say?"

"Just us?" Hannah asked.

"Just us," Luna promised.

"Okay," Hannah agreed shyly.

Frankie picked up the bag and followed Hannah and Luna into the house.

"Well first," Frankie smiled at the little girl. "I saw how you liked those dolls upstairs in Drew's old room so I found these.

She gave Hannah a set of the newest paper dolls on the market- these dolls actually moved around to model the clothes put on them.

"For me?" Hannah asked hopefully. "Really?"

"All for you," Frankie nodded.

"That one looks like you!" Hannah said excitedly, pointing to a raven-haired doll.

"I suppose it does," Frankie grinned at the girl's exuberant tone.

"She's my favourite," Hannah said picking up the doll.

"Well that isn't all I got you," Frankie said. "My niece Caroline also helped me pick out some dress up clothes she thought you might like."

Hannah hugged the doll in her arms and watched as Frankie pulled out a fairy princess gown, complete with a tiara.

"That is just gorgeous," Luna said. "I can see how Caroline would have picked it out."

"That's for me, too?" Hannah asked picking up the tiara.

"Yes," Frankie said. "Let's try it on you."

Hannah nodded and bit her bottom lip as Frankie placed the tiara on her head.

"Like a real princess," Luna said smiling at the little girl.

"Caroline and Katie have come up with this princess club," Frankie said. "I'll bet when they see you in this they'll make you a member."

"Really?" Hannah asked .

"Let me see if I remember..." Frankie pursed her lips. "Caroline is Jasmine, Mia is Sleeping Beauty, Em is The Little Mermaid, and Katie is Tinkerbell."

"I don't know who they are," Hannah's smile disappeared.

"I didn't either until Caroline forced me to watch every single one of those movies," Frankie said. "They're all characters in Disney movies."

"I'm sure we have a few of them around here," Luna said. "We can watch them sometime Hannah."

"I-I'd like that," Hannah said.

"I know who you could be," Frankie said smiling at the little girl. "Belle from Beauty and the Beast. You have brown hair just like she does."

"I do?" Hannah asked. "Really?"

Frankie nodded. "Just like her."

Hannah looked shyly down at the paper doll in her hands. These people were so nice to her and she wanted to trust them, but it was hard for her to believe that someone other than her mother could ever love her.

Frankie just wanted to scoop the little girl up in her arms and hug her and tell her everything was going to be okay.

"I--I also bought you some new clothes," Frankie said reaching back into the bag and pulling out some jeans, t-shirts and jumpers. "I got a lot of purple stuff for you since that's your favourite colour."

Hannah's eyes opened wide and she stared at the beautiful clothes speechlessly.

"And this one is from the Quidditch team I work for," Frankie said pulling out a pink sweatshirt that said 'Puddlemere Princess' written on it.

Luna laughed. "That's adorable."

"Do you like it?" Frankie asked Hannah. "If you don't, I could get it in a different colour..."

"It's pretty," Hannah said softly.

"I'm glad you like it," Frankie said smiling at her. "And you can wear it next week when we go to the big match..."

"Definitely," Luna said. "This is really lovely of you Frankie."

"I was happy to do it," Frankie said.

"Thank you," Hannah whispered.

"You're very welcome," Frankie said.

Luna smiled. "Hannah, why don't you go and show Frankie what we did in the garden while I put all your things upstairs?"

"I'd love to see what you did," Frankie said when Hannah looked as if she wanted to run upstairs with Luna.

"Okay," Hannah said quietly.

They went back outside and Hannah reached for Frankie's hand to lead her over to the garden.

"I used to help my mum out in the garden when I was your age," Frankie said conversationally.

"Sometimes I helped Mummy with ours," Hannah said softly.

"What sorts of things did your mummy have in her garden?" Frankie asked.

"Lots of flowers," Hannah said. "And carrots for the bunnies."

Frankie smiled. "I bet you loved helping your Mummy out, didn't you?"

She nodded. "But Daddy didn't like us to be out here alone."

"Why not, sweetheart?" Frankie asked gently.

"He said we were hiding," Hannah's voice was almost inaudible.

Frankie stopped walking and knelt down in front of Hannah. "Hiding from what?"

"Him," Hannah said hoarsely.

"Oh," Frankie said, biting back her anger. She still couldn't understand how a man could do that to his wife and daughter. She could sense Hannah was on the verge of tears and Frankie wrapped her arms around her and patted her back. "I'm so sorry that you had to grow up like that, Hannah."

Hannah clung to her. "I miss my Mummy a lot. Daddy was angry and said we hid too much so he made her go away."

Tears pooled in Frankie's eyes as she hugged Hannah. "I wish I could have met your Mummy."

Tears coursed down the little girl's cheeks. "I miss her a lot."

"I know you do," Frankie said. "Do you want to talk about her with me?"

Hannah wanted to desperately. She had a feeling Frankie would understand her. But at the same time, her trust in adults was so disillusioned after the way she had been treated by someone who was supposed to take care of her. She shook her head, her eyes dropping away to look at the ground.

"Whenever you're ready to talk about her," Frankie said wiping a tear from Hannah's cheek. "I'll listen, okay?"

Hannah nodded, still looking away.

Frankie stood back up. "How about you show me that garden now?"

"You still want to see it?" Hannah had thought for sure that Frankie would just walk away and decide she wasn't worth all the trouble.

Frankie nodded. "I cannot wait to see it."

"I helped plant some more of those," Hannah showed her some sunflowers.

"Sunflowers!" Frankie exclaimed. "That's one of my favourite flowers. You did a great job, Hannah!"

Hannah blushed at her praise. "I like them too."

"You know," Frankie said thoughtfully. "I've been meaning to have a garden of my own at my house, but I keep putting it off. Do you think someday you might be able to help me?"

Hannah stared at her in shock.

"What is it?" Frankie asked.

"You want my help?" Hannah asked.

Frankie nodded. "I need all the help I can get. In fact, if Luna says it's okay, perhaps you could go with me to one of the nurseries in town and we can pick out some flowers...and maybe a couple of carrot seeds...for the bunnies."

Hannah hesitated a moment before nodding a little.

Frankie beamed at her. "Fantastic!"

"Hey Frankie," Will called out to her. "We have to get going soon- I promised Mum and Dad we'd meet them in town."

Hannah tensed up and hid behind Frankie.

Frankie nodded to her husband before kneeling down. "Hey it's all right," she said soothingly.

"You---you're going?" Hannah asked.

"In a few minutes," Frankie said. "But I promise I'll be back soon."

"We're going to my mum and dad's house for lunch," Will explained.

Hannah shrugged away from Frankie and ran back toward the house.

Frankie sighed and got to her feet. "It's like I'm getting through but then she puts up a wall."

"Ron was telling me that she doesn't say too much around him either," Will said putting an arm around his wife.

"I think what her father did to her made her weary of all men," Frankie gazed at the door where Hannah had just disappeared.

Will nodded. "I figured as much. That poor little girl..."

"Maybe I should go try and talk to her again," Frankie mused.

"I'll ring mum and dad to let them know we'll be a little late," Will said putting his arms around her.

"Thanks," Frankie gave him a quick kiss. "You're the best."

"She means a lot to you, doesn't she?" Will asked her.

"There's just something about her," Frankie replied. "I feel like I want to make her happy."

"Then you should go and see what you can do," Will said squeezing her hand. "I'll be playing football with the boys."

"I don't think it'll take long," Frankie went inside the house and upstairs to Hannah's room.

The door was ajar and Frankie knocked gently on it before opening it all the way. Hannah was lying down on her bed, hugging a teddy bear to her.

"Can I come in?" she asked softly.

Hannah nodded wordlessly.

"I didn't mean to make you upset down there," Frankie sat on the edge of the bed.

"Scared," Hannah said weakly.

"What are you scared of?" Frankie asked.

"Daddy," Hannah whispered. "He's going to come back and get me."

"What makes you say that?" Frankie was startled.

"He said he'd get me," Hannah replied hugging the bear tightly to her.

"He can't get you sweetheart," Frankie reassured her. "He's in prison now."

"I just want my mummy back," Hannah said sitting up and looking pleadingly at Frankie.

"I wish I could get her back for you," Frankie said. "I really do."

Hannah nodded and then did something Frankie wasn't expecting. She threw her arms around Frankie's neck and sobbed into her shoulder.

Frankie hugged the little girl back and let her cry. Remembering the cuts and bruises, she rubbed Hannah's back lightly in case she was still hurt.

For the first time in a long time, Hannah actually felt safe. She held on tightly to Frankie, worried that if she let go, Frankie would leave.

"It's going to be okay," Frankie held her closely. "Hannah I promise nothing bad will happen to you now."

Hannah nodded and continued to sob into Frankie's shoulder. Neither of them knew that Will was standing just outside the door watching. His heart broke for Hannah and he was amazed at how this girl had opened up to Frankie.

Frankie held the little girl until her sobs subsided and when she pulled away, Frankie saw that Hannah had fallen asleep.

Gently, she let go of Hannah and lay her down on the bed. She placed a blanket over her and then leaned down and placed a kiss on Hannah's forehead.

"Sweet dreams, Hannah," she whispered.

"Are you all right?" Will asked his wife as she emerged.

Frankie shook her head. "I can't leave her, Will."

Will looked at his wife pensively. "I'm sure Mum and Dad will understand if I go alone," he said. "Mind if I tell them what's going on?"

Frankie shook her head. "I don't mind. After what she just told me, I don't want her to wake up and find me gone. I just don't understand how someone could do that to a child! She's his flesh and blood! She's this sweet, sensitive, smart little girl that anyone would be happy to call their own and he broke her into a million pieces, Will!"

"Come here baby," Will hugged her.

Frankie rested her head on his chest. "I want to protect her."

"I can see why," Will nodded. "She's really sweet Frankie. She deserves better than she's gotten."

"And she'll have it," Frankie said determinedly. "I'm going to stop by and see her every single day."

"I'm sure she'll like that," Will said. "I'll head over to meet Mum and Dad."

Frankie gave him a kiss. "Tell them I'm sorry."

"They'll understand," Will caressed her cheek. "I'm proud of you Frankie. You're really helping Hannah out."

"I'm trying," Frankie said. "I'll see you later tonight."

"Love you," Will gave her another kiss.

Frankie went back inside Hannah's room and lay back down on the bed, being as quiet as she possibly could.

"Mummy," Hannah whispered cuddling up closer to Frankie.

Frankie brushed back a wisp of her hair and ran her hand over Hannah's back in a comforting manner.

"Is everything okay?" Luna whispered from the door.

Frankie nodded. "She fell asleep."

"Will told me on his way out that she was upset," Luna said quietly.

"She cried herself to sleep," Frankie whispered.

"Poor thing," Luna said sympathetically. "I've been putting that salve on her back but she's going to be scarred most likely."

"Are you certain?" Frankie asked. "Surely, there's something we can do..."

"I'm no medical expert," Luna shook her head. "But they're pretty deep. I'm going to talk to Lizzy and see if she can recommend anything."

Frankie nodded. "Do you happen to have Beauty and the Beast here? I'd like to watch it with her when she wakes up, if that's okay?"

"We might," Luna said. "If not, I'll see if Allie and Jon will let me borrow their copy."

"You don't mind me sticking around for awhile, do you?" Frankie asked.

"Of course not," Luna said. "We're always glad to have you here Frankie."

Frankie smiled. "Did the boys like what we gave them?"

"Are you kidding?" Luna grinned. "They're still out back playing with the football."

"I'm glad they liked it," Frankie said softly.

"Ron and I really appreciate this," Luna told her. "I wish everyone took this much interest in orphans. Life is hard for them and you've just made everything a little easier."

"I wish I could do more," Frankie said looking down at Hannah.

"To her, you are," Luna said softly. "I can tell she looks up to you."

Frankie smiled. "There's just something about her."

"I agree," Luna replied.

"How is she doing with the other kids?" Frankie asked.

"Not so good with Joey," Luna said. "He's not the easiest little boy to get on with. Zack doesn't bother her too much, and she actually likes helping me with Caitlin sometimes."

"When are you thinking of introducing her to Caroline and Em?" Frankie asked.

"I should do that pretty soon," Luna replied. "I just didn't want to overwhelm her."

Frankie could certainly understand that. In the distance, she heard Caitlin starting to cry and Luna quietly excused herself to go and check on the baby.

Hannah whimpered slightly in her sleep and Frankie stroked her tearstained face.

"Sweet Hannah," Frankie whispered. "I'm not going to let anything happen to you. I promise."

"Don't go away Mummy," Hannah whispered, still sleeping.

The old Frankie would never have found herself in this type of situation and would have rather ran a mile than be here. But the grown-up, mature Frankie couldn't have left even if she'd wanted to. This little girl needed her and Frankie wanted to be there for her.

"I'm right here," she whispered. "I'm right here, Hannah."

The little girl's eyes opened with a snap. "Where'd my Mummy go?"

Frankie pushed a strand of hair off Hannah's forehead. "She's in heaven, sweetheart."

"Why?" Hannah's lip trembled.

"I-I don't know," Frankie said softly. "But I know that she wishes she was here with you right now."

Hannah wiped at her eyes with her little fists. "You stayed with me the whole time?"

Frankie nodded. "I told you I'd be right here, remember?"

"I didn't think you would stay," Hannah said tentatively. "Cause you said you had to leave."

"There's no place in the world I'd rather be than right here," Frankie said. "And Luna said we could watch a movie, if you'd like. Just you and me."

Hannah stared at her in amazement. "Okay," she said, a small smile on her face.

"And in my family, when we watch movies, we pop popcorn and drink pumpkin juice," Frankie said getting to her feet.

"I never had popcorn," Hannah admitted.

Frankie smiled. "Well, you're in for a good time then. I bet Ron and Luna have some popcorn around here somewhere. You want to go see if we can find some?"

"Okay," Hannah replied. "What movie are we going to watch?"

"Belle," Frankie said bowing in front of Hannah. "We're going to watch Beauty and the Beast."

"Bell?" Hannah asked confusedly.

"She's the main character in the movie," Frankie said. "And she's one of those Disney princesses I was telling you about. Wait until you see the scene where she dances with the beast for the first time. She has this really beautiful yellow dress on. Now normally, I wouldn't think yellow would make a great colour for a dress, but it is gorgeous, Hannah. Wait until you see it."

Hannah smiled at Frankie. "I like yellow."

"But not as much as purple, right?" Frankie asked her with a grin.

"Purple is my most favouritest colour." Hannah nodded.

Frankie picked her up. "It's my most favouritest colour too. In fact, I might know a spell that could turn our popcorn purple. What do you think?"

Hannah giggled. "Okay."

Frankie carried her out of the room and downstairs.

"Dark purple or light purple?" Frankie asked her.

"Ummm..." Hannah thought for a moment. "Light."

"Excellent choice, dah-ling!" Frankie said dramatically. She set Hannah down on the counter and rummaged around in the pantry looking for a bag of popcorn.

Hannah watched Frankie look around and couldn't remember feeling like this since before her mother had died.

"Found it," Frankie said triumphantly. She peeled back the plastic cover and then placed the bag inside the microwave. "In about two minutes, we'll have purple popcorn."

"Is it good that way?" Hannah asked.

"It's yummy,” Frankie replied. "What do you want to drink? Pumpkin juice? Soda?"

"I like pumpkin juice," Hannah said. "Please," she remembered to add.

"Coming right up," Frankie said smiling at her.

Hannah smiled back, feeling better than she had in ages. She’d watched a few movies before with her mother but none since going to live at the orphanage.

Frankie poured them both a glass of pumpkin juice and grinned at Hannah. "You can carry the popcorn and I'll carry the juice. How's that sound?"

Hannah nodded. "I'm real careful."

Frankie's smile faltered a bit. The poor girl was probably afraid of what would happen if she dropped or spilled something on the floor. Another product of her father, Frankie thought bitterly. She set the glasses down for a moment so she could help Hannah off the counter.

"You're a sweet girl, Hannah," Frankie said setting her down.

Hannah looked shyly at her. "Thank you." she said softly.

Frankie handed Hannah the bowl. "Ready?"

Hannah nodded and followed her into the sitting room.

Frankie set the glasses on the coffee table and then walked over to one of the bookshelves that housed Ron and Luna's movie collection. "To tell you the truth, Hannah, I didn't know any of these movies before, either. Caroline knows most of them by heart and she kind of got me hooked on them too."

"Do you like them now?" the little girl perched uncertainly on the edge of the sofa.

"I love them," Frankie said, finally pulling out the DVD of Beauty and the Beast. "This one is my favourite, but I also really love Cinderella."

"My mummy read that story to me once," Hannah looked at the bowl of purple popcorn.

"She did?" Frankie asked turning to look at Hannah.

She nodded. "It was in a book."

"I could read to you sometime if you like," Frankie said smiling at Hannah. "I'm not as good at is as Will though. He does the voices and he makes Caroline and Emma giggle."

"We don't have the book anymore," Hannah said. "Daddy put it in the fire."

Frankie again resisted the urge to verbally annihilate Hannah's father. "Well, there's loads of books in your new room. And we can read one of them tonight, if you like."

"You're going to stay that long?" Hannah asked in astonishment.

Frankie nodded. "If Ron and Luna say its okay, I'd like to."

"I hope you can," Hannah said with a red tinge in her cheeks.

Frankie smiled and grabbed the remote control before sitting down beside Hannah. "You are going to love this, Hannah."

For the next hour and a half she watched spellbound at the movie on the screen in front of her.

Frankie smiled as the credits began to play. "I love a happy ending..."

Hannah nodded, still transfixed. "I get to be her?"

"You sure do," Frankie said turning off the television.

"Will they let me?" Hannah asked softly.

"I should think so," Frankie replied. "We'll have to ask Caroline, Mia, Katie and Emma, but I think you're a shoo-in."

Hannah nodded. "Thank you for being nice to me."

Frankie shook her head. "You don't have to thank me for that, Hannah. It's something I'm happy to do because you're such a sweet little girl."

"Mummy used to tell me that all the time," Hannah confided.

Frankie put an arm around Hannah and kissed the top of her forehead. "Your mummy was right."

Hannah leaned into her. "Frankie?"

"Yeah?"

"Are you my friend now?" Hannah asked timidly.

Frankie smiled. "Yes, sweetheart. I'm your friend now."

"I never had any friends," Hannah looked down at the empty bowl.

"You do now," Frankie said. "You have me; Luna, Ron, and I know my nieces are going to love you..."

Hannah smiled tremulously at her.

Luna came into the sitting room with Caitlin. "Hiya, girls. How was the movie?"

"I liked it," Hannah said shyly.

"It's a good movie, isn't it?" Luna asked smiling at Hannah.

Hannah nodded.

"I was wondering if I could stay a little longer," Frankie said to Luna. "If you don't have anything planned, I thought I might stick around long enough to read Hannah a story or two."

"I'm sure Hannah would love that," Luna said warmly.

Hannah beamed at Frankie.

"All settled then," Frankie grinned at her.

Hannah wrapped her arms around Frankie. She didn't know what story she wanted Frankie to read, but she hoped it was a long one.

Frankie hugged the child back. "We can look through Drew's old books and find something," she suggested.

"If you'd like I can send word to Will that you'll be a little late getting home," Luna offered.

"Sure," Frankie nodded. "Thank you- tell him I probably won't be too late. I have some early meetings tomorrow morning."

"I'll tell him," Luna promised.

Frankie stood up. "When do you usually go to bed Hannah?"

Hannah shrugged. "When Luna tells me to."

Frankie giggled. "Well are you tired?"

Hannah shook her head.

"Well good," Frankie said. "That means we have more time to read you some stories!"

Hannah stood up as well and took Frankie's hand. She wouldn't do anything to mess this up. She had her first real friend and she felt happy for the first time since her mother's death.

*** *** ***

Despite his responsibilities at the pub since coming back from Brighton, Jon was trying to spend as much time as possible at home while his wife was entering her final few months of pregnancy. In case anything went wrong this time, he decided that he absolutely had to be around as much as possible.

Caroline had just finished her first week at school and she was pretending to be a teacher with Emma and Mia, who was over playing that afternoon, as her willing students.

"Emma," Caroline said. "Your spelling word is ‘book’."

Emma nodded and looked thoughtfully at her sister. "A....b.....g....y," she answered.

Caroline giggled. "You've almost got it Em."

"Yay!" Emma clapped her hands together. "Daddy, see?"

Jon looked up from his paper and smiled. "Yes, sweetheart. Very good."

"This brings me back," Allison said as she watched their daughters and Mia. "I used to do that with you, Josh and Lizzy."

"You and Lizzy loved it," Jon smirked. "Josh and I just wanted to play outside."

"Come on, you have to admit it was fun," Allison said sneaking one of his biscuits. "Though Josh was always trying to correct me..."

"Okay Mia," Caroline said. "Your word is 'super'."

Mia grinned. "S-u-p-e-r, super."

"Very good," Caroline nodded. "You both get full marks!"

"Daddy Em smart!" Emma said excitedly. "Em do good!"

Jon grinned at her. "Come here, smart girl!"

Emma giggled and climbed into her father's lap.

"Both of my girls are so smart," Jon said giving her a hug. "You got that from your Mum."

"Mia's smart too Daddy," Caroline said with a grin at her cousin.

"Daddy says I got that from my mum, too," Mia said grinning back at Caroline.

Allison shifted on the sofa. Adam had grown quite a bit over the last few months and she could never seem to find a comfortable way to sit these days.

"You okay, Mummy?" Caroline asked.

"Yes sweetheart," Allison said. "Your brother is quite active today."

Caroline put a hand on her mother's tummy. "Adam, go easy on Mummy."

"Adam be nice," Emma wagged her finger at Allison's stomach, making them all laugh.

"He's just trying to get comfortable too," Allison said. "I think he's just really ready to meet his sisters."

"We're ready too," Caroline said. "Maybe Adam will be born on my birthday!"

"It'll be close," Allison said.

"Em still baby," Emma said cuddling as close as she could to her mother.

Allison and Jon exchanged a look. "For now, sweetheart."

"Actually," Allison said thinking this was a good time to bring up the conversation she'd had earlier with Luna and Frankie. "There's something I wanted to talk to you girls about. You too, Mia."

"What is it Mummy?" Caroline asked, sitting on the floor next to her cousin.

"You remember me telling you about how Grandma Luna and Grandpa Ron were going to be taking in children from the orphanage?" Allison asked.

Caroline nodded. "The children who don't have mummies or daddies, right?"

"Right Angel," Allison nodded. "I'm glad you remember that."

"Do they have new babies now?" Caroline was curious.

"They have two little boys who are around your age, Caroline," Jon replied. "And there's a baby named Caitlin and there's a four-year old girl named Hannah."

"I like that name," Mia said with a grin. "Hannah."

"Hannah's a very special girl," Allison said. "Your Aunt Frankie likes her very much."

"Special how, Mummy?" Caroline asked.

"Well," Allison pushed herself up. "She lives in the orphanage even though her daddy is still alive," she began. "He used to... used to hurt her."

Mia and Caroline exchanged a look. "Hurt her?" Mia asked uncertainly.

Allison nodded. "Know how sometimes you might drop a glass on the floor and it breaks?"

"That happens to me a lot," Caroline said. "But you and Daddy just fix it."

"Well," Jon explained. "Hannah's dad got really angry when she used to do things like that. And he...he..."

"He would hit her," Allison said gently.

Caroline gasped. "Really?"

Allison nodded gravely.

"Daddies aren't supposed to do that," Mia said looking down at the carpet.

"Daddy never hurt Em," Emma said looking at Jon.

"Not ever," Jon said. "Never ever, ever, ever."

Emma wrapped her arms around Jon's neck and held on tightly.

"They put her Daddy away, didn't they?" Caroline asked Allison.

"Yes they did," Allison nodded. "And now Hannah's living with your Grandma and Grandpa. And Aunt Frankie was hoping you girls would come over and play with her sometime."

Caroline and Mia both didn't hesitate to respond by nodding their heads.

Allison smiled. "Your mum and dad already know about this Mia," she said. "And thank you both- it'll mean a lot to Hannah to know she already has some friends."

"When are we going to meet her, Mummy?" Caroline asked.

"In a few days," Allison said. "We wanted to give Hannah a chance to adjust to things."

Caroline nodded. "We'll be really nice to her, Mummy. And she can even be in our princess club."

"Thank you Angel," Allison said. "I think she'll be very excited to hear that."

"We could go into your room and find the Belle dress," Mia suggested to Caroline.

"Does she have brown hair Mummy?" Caroline asked.

Allison nodded. "She does."

"Then she's a perfect Belle!" Caroline said delightedly.

Mia took Caroline's hand. "Come on, Caroline!"

"Em come too!" Emma said scurrying after Mia and Caroline.

"They handled that well," Jon looked at his wife.

"They did," Allison said nodding. "They're sweet girls, Jon."

"We did a good job Al," Jon put his arms around her.

"We did," Allison said softly. "And you're such a great father, Jon."

"You're a good mum Al," Jon kissed her. "And this one's going to be great too."

"Our little boy," Allison said feeling tears well up in her eyes. She was crying at the drop of a hat these days and Jon had become quite used to it.

"Our little Adam," Jon grinned at her. "Coming to a Weasley home near you in just a few months."

Allison giggled and wiped at her eyes. "You always know just what to say."

Upstairs, Caroline was rummaging through her trunk of princess dresses. "I know it's in here somewhere..."

"This one?" Emma asked holding up the Sleeping Beauty costume.

"No Em," Caroline said. "The yellow one."

Mia was looking in Caroline's closet and grinned when she finally pulled out the yellow dress. "Here it is!"

"Oh good," Caroline said. "Em... remember how I said I was going to give you this dress?"

Emma nodded.

"Is it okay if I give it to Hannah instead?" Caroline asked her sister.

Emma looked thoughtfully at her sister. "Kay."

"It'll be a present from all of us, okay?" Caroline asked them.

"I bet she'll love the dress," Mia said. "And I have some old dress up clothes at home I could give her, too."

"I can't wait until we meet her," Caroline said excitedly. "I'll ask Katie if she has anything she doesn't use anymore too!"

"Frack and Han," Emma said going over to her toy basket and pulling out some stuffed animals. "Em give to Han."

Caroline giggled. "That's really sweet of you Em."

"Not Bunny," Emma said hugging her old stuffed bunny rabbit. "Gamma Cho give to Em."

"You don't have to give everything," Caroline told her. "Just what you want to. I think it's really nice Emma."

Emma smiled. "Kay."

"Let's go show Mummy and Daddy," Caroline said to her sister and cousin. "And we can tell them what we want to give to Hannah."

Caroline, Emma and Mia hurried back into the sitting room, but Jon and Allison were no longer in there. Caroline heard their voices coming from the kitchen.

"Gross, Al," Jon was saying to his wife. "How can you eat that?"

"It's good!" Allison said indignantly.

"What are you eating, Mummy?" Caroline asked.

"Peanut butter and tomato sandwich," Allison replied.

"Ew!" Emma exclaimed, her nose scrunching up in disgust.

"I agree Em," Jon scooped her up. "Ew, eww!"

Emma giggled. "Daddy!"

"That's pretty gross, Aunt Allie," Mia said.

"I need someone on my side," Allison teased them.

"Not even my dad would be on your side for that," Jon said tickling Emma's side. "Right, Em?"

"Right," Emma giggled. "Daddy, I give these to Han!" she held up some of her stuffed animals.

"That's very sweet of you," Jon told her. "I bet she'd love those, Emma."

"And I'm going to give her my Belle dress," Caroline said. "Plus Mia's going to get some of her dress up clothes too."

"And we'll ask Katie if she has anything she'd like to give her too," Mia chimed in.

"That's really lovely of you girls," Allison said. "Your Aunt Frankie is going to be very excited to hear how unselfish you all are."

"Em want to meet Han," Emma said. "Now!"

Jon grinned at her. "I think probably Saturday we'll go meet her."

"When is Saturday?" Emma demanded.

"Three days from now, sweetheart," Jon replied. "That way you'll have all day to play with her."

"I can't wait Daddy," Caroline said. "And we'll officially make her a princess!"

"Officially?" Jon asked her. "Is there a big ceremony?"

Caroline giggled. "I learned that word in school today."

"Speaking of school, you should get to your homework and it's about time for us to bring Mia home," Jon said.

"Does she have to go home?" Caroline pouted.

"I'm afraid so," Jon said. "Claire said she had until six, Caroline."

"Okay," Caroline said glumly.

Mia gave her best friend a hug. "I'll look in my room for some stuff for Hannah. I'll ring you if I find anything good, okay?"

Caroline nodded. "And we'll go play with her on Saturday."

"You can come with me to take her back though," Jon said tweaking Caroline's nose.

Caroline brightened. "Yay!" she said happily.

Allison looked at Emma. "You want to say with me and keep me company?"

"Kay," Emma agreed. "Em stay with Mummy."

"Thanks for letting me come over, Aunt Allie," Mia said waving to Allison. "Bye, Em!"

"Bye Mia," Emma waved.

Allison finished the rest of her sandwich and watched bemusedly as Emma set her stuffed animals up in a line. "What are you doing, Emma?"

"They want to watch," Emma told her mother.

"They want to watch me make dinner?" Allison asked.

Emma nodded.

Allison laughed. "Well, do you know what they'd like me to make?"

"Cheese," Emma said. "Grill cheese Mummy."

"Excellent choice, madam," Allison said attempting to bow to her daughter and the stuffed animals, but when she did so, she felt a sharp pain in her abdomen. "Oooooh...."

"Mummy okay?" Emma looked up quickly.

Allison took a few deep breaths to calm herself and reminded herself not to panic. It was hard not to remember the last time she'd experienced a pain like this. But, the pain luckily subsided and she gave her daughter a reassuring smile. "I'm okay...."

"Baby hurt?" Emma asked her.

Allison shook her head. "Just for a second, but I'm okay now, Em. Really."

"Kay," Emma said, still watching her mother. "Tell Daddy?"

"I'll tell Daddy when he gets home," Allison promised. "You just play with your stuffed animals and I'll get dinner started, okay?"

Emma nodded. "We want to watch."

Allison turned her attention back to making dinner, but she couldn't shake the fear that she'd felt a few moments earlier. She patted her tummy. "It's okay, Adam. Please let it be okay."

"We're back!" Jon called a few moments later.

"We're still in the kitchen," Allison called out.

Jon came in with a grin which faded when he saw his wife's pale face. "Al?"

"I'm making grilled cheese sandwiches for dinner," Allison said trying to pretend that everything was okay. "And I still have some soup left over from last night..."

"What's wrong?" Jon asked quietly in her ear so their daughters couldn't listen in.

"Nothing," Allison lied. "Did you get Mia home okay?"

"Yes," Jon said, a bit sharply. "Allison Catherine..."

Allison finally met his gaze. "A few minutes ago, I was joking around with Emma and I tried to do a curtsy, and I felt this sharp pain..."

Jon's hands gripped hers. "I'll go get Lizzy."

Allison shook her head. "It was probably because I was trying to bend over. It was nothing, Jon. I'm fine now."

"Allie, I still don't want to take any chances," Jon said. "We'll wait until the girls go to bed but I want to tell Liz about this."

Allison nodded. "I'm sure everything's okay, Jon."

"I can't go through that again," Jon said intently.

Allison touched his cheek. "Me, either. I-I'm sure it's okay."

He gave his wife a kiss. "I'll help you with dinner."

Allison smiled. "That sounds great."

"Sissy!" Emma said swatting at Caroline. "Gabey can't see!"

"Gabey?" Caroline asked. "Gabe's not here Em."

Emma pointed at her brown teddy bear. "Gabey."

Caroline giggled. "Where's your purple one he won you?"

"In room," Emma replied.

"Is that your favourite bear?" Caroline asked.

Emma nodded. "Gabey gave to Em."

"Em's got a crush on Gabe," Caroline said in a sing song voice.

Emma giggled and picked up her teddy bear hugging it to her. "Gabey!"

Caroline laughed too. "I bet you could write him a letter Em."

"What are you two giggling about?" Allison asked.

"I'm going to help Emma write Gabriel a letter when I'm done with my homework," Caroline announced.

"You can go get started," Allison said. "We'll call you when dinner's ready."

"Okay," Caroline said. "It already smells yummy. Come on Max! Come on Em!"

Jon quickly fixed the sandwiches while Allison warmed up the soup. Neither of them spoke, both lost in their own thoughts. Jon kept one eye on his wife though as they made dinner.

"Still feeling all right?" he asked her as they set the table.

Allison nodded. "So far, so good."

“I'd still like Lizzy to come over," Jon said.

"Just to be sure," Allison agreed.

"Good," Jon kissed her. "I love you so much Al."

"I love you too," Allison whispered.

"Our little guy's going to be okay," Jon said reassuringly.

"We both are," Allison said guiding Jon's hand to her stomach.

128. 128

This may seem like a shorter chapter but it’s really not- but it only deals with our favourite girl Weasley twins ;) We hope you’ll like the outcome of this chapter :D

Please review!!!!

Drew and Darla’s schedule didn’t let up after Ethan and Maddie’s wedding. If anything, there business had tripled. Word of mouth and a rave review in Witch Weekly led to countless interviews with couples wanting the perfect wedding.

”I think we’re going to have to hire someone else,” Darla said looking at their schedule book. “Or ask if we can get a time turner…”

Drew grinned. "This is awesome for business though. We're making more money than ever."

"It certainly is," Darla agreed. She scanned over that day's schedule. "I'll meet with the Patterson-McCoy's this afternoon and you have the Thompson-Herlihy's at four."

"Okay," Drew nodded. "Hopefully my stomach will have calmed by then."

"We wouldn't want you puking your guts out on them," Darla teased. "That would be very, very bad for business."

"Quite," Drew shook her head. "I've just been so busy I haven't been eating properly."

Darla looked over at her sister with a frown. "Drew...you need to take care of yourself. As Daddy always says, you should always remember to eat."

"I know," Drew replied. "But since Maddie's wedding I feel as if I've been on the go. If I'm not up to my neck in meetings, then I'm with Brian."

"Brian, Brian, Brian," Darla said in a sing-song voice.

Drew grinned. "You're one to talk Dar. What's going on with you and Hans?"

Drew leaned back in her desk chair. "Well, we're taking things one day at a time."

"Yeah?" Drew asked. "I thought it was rather sweet that he came to the wedding."

"I thought so too, but we still have to work out some issues," Darla said thoughtfully. "I've only seen him a couple of times since the wedding."

"He's crazy about you Dar," Drew said.

Darla smiled. "I know, but it's complicated, Drew."

"Tell me," Drew replied. "What's so complicated?"

Darla sighed and pushed back from her chair. "How about we talk about the catering bill from Maddie's wedding..."

Drew shook her head. "Uh- uh. You can't keep this from your twin sister Darla!"

"We---we haven't really talked about what's been going on," Darla admitted. "And when we went back to his place after the wedding, we didn't talk much at all, if you know what I mean. I think he's avoiding it, if you want to know the truth."

"Maybe you should initiate it then," Drew suggested. "You love him, right? Do you want to work everything out?"

"Of course I do," Darla replied. "And he did agree to go to RJ's match with me. Maybe afterwards, he and I can talk..."

"Or you can ring him and meet up with him while I'm at the meeting this afternoon," Drew said slyly.

"He's on a shoot, Drew," Darla said shaking her head. "Nice try, though."

"What time is he finished?" Drew was undeterred.

"I don't know," Darla replied pouring herself a cup of coffee.

"I think you should bring up the topic soon," Drew said. "It's not like you to beat around the bush."

"I will," Darla promised. "After RJ's match."

"That's next week," Drew complained.

"You're not going to give up until I call him, are you?" Darla asked.

Drew grinned at her sister. "When have you ever known me to give up?"

Darla sighed in resignation. She set aside her coffee mug and sat back down at her desk. Ignoring the smug look on her sister's face, she picked up the phone and dialled Hans' mobile.

"Voice mail," she whispered to her sister. "Just waiting for the beep..."

"Don't hang up," Drew said.

"Hi, baby," Darla said into the phone. "It's me. I just wanted to see what you were up to tonight. I have a meeting at four, but I was thinking that perhaps we could meet for dinner or a drink, if you're not busy that is..."

"She wants to meet you for dinner," Drew said loudly in the background. "Come on Hans you know you want to!"

Darla glared at her sister. "I'll have my mobile with me, so just ring me and let me know. Love you, bye!"

Drew laughed at Darla's expression. "If you're not busy that is..." she mocked teasingly.

Darla hung up the phone. "Drew!"

Drew giggled as Darla balled up a piece of parchment and threw it at her.

"You're such a child," Darla said giggling.

"You're the younger one," Drew returned.

"As you always tell me," Darla said grinning at her.

At that moment Darla's phone rang and Drew laughed. "See? He can't wait to talk to you!"

"You don't know that it's him," Darla said rolling her eyes. She picked up the phone. "Weddings by Weasley. This is Darla."

"Hey you," Hans said. "Just got your voicemail."

"Hey," Darla said in a hushed tone. "That was fast."

"We just finished our shoot," Hans replied. "I just got back to the dressing room."

Darla twirled the phone cord around her finger. "I thought you'd be booked all day."

"I'm always available for you Dar," Hans said in a husky voice.

Despite herself, Darla couldn't help smiling. "So, you'd want to grab a bite to eat tonight then?"

"Definitely," he answered. "What time will you be done with your meeting?"

"Six-ish," Darla replied. "Where do you want to meet up?"

"You name the time and the place," Hans said.

"Antonio's at 6:30?" Darla suggested.

"Sounds good to me," Hans answered. "I'll meet you in the bar."

"Okay," Darla said. "I-I think it'll be good for us to finally talk."

"Right," Hans replied. "I love you, Dar."

"Love you too," Darla said softly.

"Awwww..." Drew said as her sister clicked off her phone.

"We're meeting for dinner," Darla said "But I think you already know that. Eavesdrop much?"

"Like you don't do the same thing with me and Brian," Drew answered.

"Since he's always at our flat, it's a little hard not to," Darla said defensively.

Drew laughed. "It doesn't bother me."

"How are things going with you and Mr. Perfect?" Darla asked eager to change the subject.

"Perfect," Drew answered with a grin.

"When will we be planning YOUR wedding?" Darla asked.

"Not anytime soon," Drew said. "Brian and I are just enjoying ourselves as a couple."

Darla nodded. "I know because I heard you guys last night. You really should remember to do silencing charms before you do that, Drew."

Drew threw the parchment back at her sister. "Does that make you the pot or the kettle here?"

Darla laughed. "Yes, yes...very funny."

"You two look to be hard at work," Luna said from the doorway.

"Hi Mum," Darla grinned at her mother. "You just happened to walk in on a slow moment is all."

Luna pushed the pram into the office. "I'd like you girls to meet Caitlin."

"Awwww..." Drew came over to take a look. "Mum she's beautiful."

"And completely healthy according to Lizzy," Luna said gingerly lifting the baby out of the pram.

"How old is she?" Darla asked, running a finger over the baby's smooth cheek. "And how are your other kids doing?"

"She's eight months," Luna replied. "And the others are settling in. Your father is finally making some headway with the two boys--Joey and Zack. And Frankie's really taken a shine to Hannah."

"Frankie?" Drew asked taken aback. "Frankie Barron?"

Luna laughed. "The one and only."

Drew shook her head. "Wow..."

"It's really done a world of good for Hannah," Luna took a seat. "She's already more outgoing, although she still won't talk to your father or Will or any grown up men. I can't exactly blame her for being weary though- she's been through so much."

Their parents had already told them about Hannah's back story.

"That poor girl," Darla said quietly.

"She's so sweet," Luna replied. "You should see the way she lights up when Frankie comes around."

"This is so surreal," Darla said. "The Frankie Barron I know doesn't hang out with children."

Luna smiled. "She's got Caroline, Mia, Emma and even Katie coming over Saturday to meet Hannah."

"That's great," Darla said smiling at her mother. "I'm so glad you and Dad did this. I can't remember seeing you this happy."

"It's nice having children around again," Luna bounced Caitlin gently in her arms. "Keeps my mind off the fact that you all are living on your own now."

"Even little Junior is out on his own," Drew said.

"He's so excited about his first game," Luna said. "He told me to make sure you both can make it."

"We wouldn't miss it," Drew promised.

"Ethan and Maddie will be back by then too," Luna said. "They're having a blast on their honeymoon."

"They came up for air long enough to give you a call?" Drew asked teasingly.

"Just once," Luna grinned.

"I'm so happy for her," Darla said softly. "She's wanted this her entire life."

"You both did such a wonderful job on the wedding," Luna praised. "It was everything she wanted it to be."

Drew grinned. "I'm glad you're here actually. The photographer sent over the proofs from the wedding. Want to see?"

"Of course!" Luna set the sleeping baby back into the pram.

Drew looked around her desk for the proofs and grinned when she saw them. "Darla, get the box of tissues ready for Mum."

Darla laughed and grabbed the box from her desk.

The first shot was of Maddie standing in the garden holding her bouquet and looking absolutely radiant.

"She looks absolutely gorgeous!" Luna's eyes teared up immediately.

"She does," Drew said putting an arm around her mother. "And there's all of us bridesmaids..."

"You all look stunning," Luna wiped her eyes. "And Ethan's so handsome..."

"If you're like this, I can't imagine what Daddy will be like when he sees them," Darla said with a grin.

"He'll be just like I am," Luna replied. "He's going to be worse when you two get married."

"Drew's closer than I am," Darla said with a wicked grin at her twin. "Aren't you, Drew?"

"I don't know about that," Drew said. "You and Hans--" she suddenly pressed her lips together.

"What?" Darla asked.

"Just my bloody stomach again," Drew muttered.

Luna touched her daughter's forehead. "Are you ill, sweetheart?"

"I don't know," Drew said. "It comes and it goes."

"I haven't heard anything about a bug going around," Luna said thoughtfully. "Maybe you should have a healer..."

"Maybe I will," Drew said. "When I have a few free minutes to do so."

"You're working too hard," Luna said shaking her head. "You girls need to slow down."

"Usually around this time of year we are slow," Darla told her mother. "But since Mad Dog's wedding and everything, business has picked up. Drew and I were just talking about hiring another person."

"I think you should," Luna said. Darla looked perfectly healthy, but Drew looked quite pale. "I'm worried about you."

"I'm all right Mum," Drew replied.

Luna gave her a hug. "Take care of yourself, sweetheart. That's all I ask."

"I promise if I don't start feeling better tomorrow I'll go see a healer," Drew promised.

"I should get Caitlin back home," Luna said.

"I'll walk you out, Mum," Darla said. "I have a meeting."

Luna kissed her daughter goodbye. "Come on over for dinner soon and meet the kids," she said.

"I will," Drew promised. "Give Daddy a big hug and kiss from me."

Darla walked outside. "I have to admit, I'm a bit worried about her," she confided to her mother. "She was like this right before she found out she was pregnant last time."

Luna stopped in her tracks. "Pregnant? Do you think she might be....that she could be...?"

"I think there's a pretty good chance Mum," Darla said. "But don't say anything to anyone. I don't know for sure. Drew doesn't even know."

"I-I won't," Luna stammered. "Make her go to a healer, Darla."

"I'll convince her to," Darla hugged her mother.

"I love you, sweetheart," Luna said hugging her back.

"Love you too," Darla replied. "I'll talk to Hans tonight about coming over for dinner soon."

"We'd love that," Luna said with a smile. "He seems like such a nice young man. I think what he did at the wedding was so romantic."

Darla grinned. "We'll see what happens there."

Back in the office, Drew was contemplating running to the shop next door to get some saltine crackers. The phone rang and she spent the next ten minutes setting up an interview with another couple. She hung up the phone and wrote the appointment down. As she did so, she caught sight of the date.

"I'm late," she whispered.

Her heart seemed to stop yet pound erratically at the same time as she flipped through her book. "Oh Merlin..."

This couldn't be, she thought. She and Brian had taken every precaution necessary. But there had been that one time....

Drew put her face in her hands. After the way Paul had reacted to the news of her pregnancy, and even though Brian was as different from Paul as night and day, she couldn't help the feeling of trepidation at the thought of telling him she might possibly be expecting their child.

There was no possible way she'd be able to concentrate on her meeting this afternoon. She picked up the phone and left a message on the bride-to-be's voice mail that she'd have to reschedule and would call her back tomorrow.

Drew debated on whether or not she should owl Lizzy but decided to go to someone more anonymous who didn't know her family. She wasn't quite sure she wanted this news to come out if she was indeed pregnant.

She quickly scribbled a note for Darla telling her that she wasn't feeling well and that she rescheduled her interview and not to worry.

A half hour later found Drew lying on an examination table in a Muggle clinic while the doctor gave her a pregnancy test.

"Do you have any children?" the doctor asked her.

Drew shook her head silently. "I um... I had a miscarriage."

The doctor made some notes in her file. "And when was your last cycle, Miss Weasley?"

"A few months ago," Drew answered quietly.

"Right," the doctor said nodding. "Okay, then."

"This is exactly how I was the last time," Drew rubbed her arms.

"We should know in a few minutes," the doctor said quietly. "I just need to check in with the lab. You can get dressed."

"Thank you," Drew nodded.

The doctor left her alone in the examination room and Drew quickly changed back into her own clothes. She shivered as she looked around the room.

"Miss Weasley?" the doctor knocked on the door.

"Yes?" Drew spun around nervously.

"I have your results," he said coming inside the room and closing the door behind him. "You are pregnant. About 14 weeks along, by my estimate."

Drew sat down limply in the chair by the door. She swallowed hard and nodded.

"You seem to be very healthy and I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to carry this pregnancy to term," the doctor continued. "I'll prescribe some pre-natal vitamins for you and you should start taking those as soon as possible."

"I will," Drew said hoarsely. "Thank you."

"I'd like to see you again in about a month," the doctor said. "You can make an appointment at reception. And perhaps you can bring your husband along for support."

"Right," Drew nodded.

"Congratulations," the doctor said smiling at her. "Good day."

"Thank you again," Drew numbly left the office without making another appointment. She aimlessly headed down the pavement towards her and Darla's house.

She reminded herself that Brian was not Paul, but she was still apprehensive about telling him. They had agreed that they weren't in any hurry and were happy just being boyfriend and girlfriend. A baby was a huge, huge step and would change both of their lives forever.

She was surprised to see her sister in the hall applying some lip gloss when she walked in the door. "What are you still doing here?" Drew asked. "I thought you were meeting Hans."

"I am, but I wanted to change outfits first," Darla replied. "Are you feeling any better?"

Drew started to shake her head but her face crumpled. "Dar," she began to cry. "What if he's angry?"

Darla turned around in alarm to look at her sister. Immediately, she crossed the room and gave her sister a hug. "Drew, what are you talking about? Hey---"

"I'm pregnant," Drew sobbed.

Darla had expected this especially after witnessing her sister's behaviour when she was pregnant with Hope. She took her sister's hand and led her over to the sofa. "Calm down, Drew. It's okay."

"We didn't want kids," Drew wiped her eyes. "Not yet anyway. We aren't even talking about marriage and here I find out I'm over three months along!"

Darla handed her sister a tissue. "Three months...wow."

"Yeah," Drew wiped her eyes again. "Darla what if he's angry? I can't face that sort of rejection again."

"He won't be angry," Darla said softly. "He loves you and he's nothing in the world like that wanker Paul."

"I'm just so scared," Drew confessed.

Darla hugged her sister again. "I'm sure he'll be taken aback like you were when he finds out, but he'll be right by your side, Drew. I know it. And if he by some odd chance he isn't, I'll castrate him myself."

Drew smiled at her sister. "Thanks for being here again Dar. It's nice to know I can always count on you."

"Of course you can," Darla said smiling back at her. "You're going to have a baby, Drew!"

Drew nodded. "I'll have to tell Brian tonight."

"No time like the present," Darla said squeezing her hand.

"You go on ahead and meet Hans," Drew replied, giving her sister another hug. "I don't want to keep you."

Darla hesitated. She wasn't sure she should leave her sister. "You sure you don't want me to be there with you when you tell him?"

"I've got to do it myself," Drew shook her head.

Darla stood up. "Okay, but I have my mobile with me and all you have to do is call me and I'll be right by your side. Hans or no Hans."

"Thanks," Drew was already feeling a bit better.

Darla grabbed her bag and cloak and looked at her sister once more who simply nodded. Darla smiled reassuringly at her before Apparating away.

Drew changed into a comfortable pair of jeans and jumper before she picked up the phone to ring Brian. They hadn't made plans to do anything that night so she hoped he'd be home.

"Drew!" Brian exclaimed happily when he picked up the phone. "I'm so glad to hear your voice. You wouldn't believe the day I had."

"Hey," Drew said. "What are you up to tonight?"

"Spending the evening with you, I hope," Brian replied.

"I have something I need to talk to you about," Drew said, still feeling a bit nervous. "Can you come over?"

"Sure," he answered. "Give me a few minutes to get changed and I'll be right there."

"All right," she said before hanging up. She finger combed her hair nervously and pinched her cheeks, hoping to bring a little colour to her face.

She felt her heart pounding in her chest as she heard Brian let himself inside the flat.

"Drew?" he called out. "Sweetheart?"

"I'm in here," she called from the sitting room.

Brian came into the sitting room with a grin. "You won't believe what happened today at work. Your grandfather..."

His words trailed off as he saw the look on her face. "What's going on? Are you still feeling bad?"

"I'm all right," Drew said as he sat down next to her. "What did my grandfather do?"

Brian grinned. "We had a raid at this old Muggle toy shop. You should have seen the look on his face! It was like he'd died and gone to heaven."

Drew smiled. "He loves all that stuff. Even in retirement he'll find a reason to come back for a raid."

"He was fascinated by a yo-yo," Brian chuckled. "And when I showed him some of the tricks I knew..."

"That was nice of you," Drew leaned in and wrapped her arms around him.

Brian smiled. "He's really great. I think he loves the idea of coming in once or twice a week to help out. Makes him feel like he's still in the thick of things."

"Exactly," Drew gave him a kiss.

"So how was your day?" Brian asked. "Still swamped?"

Drew nodded. "I um... had to leave work early. Its part of the reason I wanted you to come over here tonight..."

"I know," Brian teased. "You couldn't bear the thought of being away from me for so long. You weren't even able to work..."

"I'm pregnant," Drew blurted out.

Brian paled. "I beg your pardon? It sounded to me like you...you just said you were...that you were..."

Drew sighed. "I just found out today Brian," she answered quietly. "I'm pregnant. A little over three months along."

Brian was completely and utterly speechless. They'd never talked about having children. And here Drew was three months pregnant with his child.

"I'll understand if you want nothing more to do with me," Drew's voice shook.

Brian stared at her. "Not want anything more to do with you?"

Tears filled her eyes again. "That's what happened before..."

He took her hands in his. "It's not going to happen this time, Drew. I'll be honest with you, this has thrown me for a loop, but---we're---we're having a baby!"

"So you're not angry with me?" Drew stared at him.

"Don't be daft," he said cupping her face. "Drew, I love you!"

Drew closed her eyes as Brian crashed her lips to his.

When they broke apart, Brian smiled at her. "A baby. Our baby..."

"We're really going to have a baby," Drew was still crying but now it was for a different reason.

Brian patted her still flat stomach. "It's too soon to know what it is, isn't it?"

"I didn't ask," Drew replied. "I'm going to start showing really soon- I can’t believe I haven’t started already."

"I can't wait to tell my dad and step mum," Brian said beaming at her. "I'm sure Darla already knows, but what about your parents?"

"I haven't told anyone aside from Dar," Drew leaned against him.

"Are you happy?" he asked her. "I know all you went through with Hope..."

"As long as you're okay, I'm happy," Drew told him.

"I'm over the moon," he said kissing the top of her head.

"I'm sorry I doubted you," Drew hugged him tightly. "I just got a little scared after last time."

"It's okay," Brian reassured her. "But you know I'd never treat you like he did, Drew. In fact, it gives me the perfect excuse to give you something I've been meaning to do for quite some time, actually."

"What's that?" she asked.

Brian stood up. "Well, this is going to be kind of a lame proposal since I don't have the ring paid off yet..."

He got down on one knee. "Drew Weasley, will you marry me?"

"Brian," Drew's eyes filled up with tears again. "Of course I will."

Brian beamed at her and engulfed her in a hug. "I'm sorry I don't have the ring. I have two more payments on it."

"It's okay," Drew said, laughing as he spun her around the room. "I don't mind if you don't have a ring yet."

"I was planning on asking you on your birthday," Brian said after he'd kissed her. "And after I asked your Dad..."

"I don't think he'll mind," Drew said. "Especially after he finds out about the baby."

"Want to tell them now?" Brian asked her. "You don't think he'll hate me for impregnating his daughter or engaging in premarital relations?"

Drew shook her head. "We can go tell them now if you want. And if you want to tell your dad and step mum we can do that too."

"We'll make the rounds," Brian said giving her another kiss. "Drew, I love you so much!"

His exuberance made her laugh. "I love you too Brian," she said. "You make me so happy."

"And we have six months to fight over names," Brian teased.

"Do you want to find out what it is or do you want to be surprised?" Drew asked.

"Whatever you want," Brian replied. "Either way is fine by me."

"I'd kind of like to know," Drew said thoughtfully.

"Me too," Brian admitted.

"We'll have to go to the healer in a few weeks," Drew said. "We'll try and find out then."

"Sounds good to me," Brian said giving her another kiss. "You ready to go and see your folks?"

Drew nodded, feeling much more confident now.

Meanwhile across the city, Darla was just meeting up with Hans.

"I took the liberty of ordering you a drink," Hans said when she joined him at the bar.

"Cosmo?" she asked.

"Of course," Hans said giving her a proper kiss hello. "You look gorgeous."

"Thanks," Darla smiled at him. "So do you."

"You ready to get a table?" he asked her.

"Sure, I'm starving," Darla replied.

Hans motioned to Antonio, the proprietor of the restaurant and an old friend of the couple. He happily showed them to a corner booth.

"Thank you Tony," Darla smiled at him. "This is perfect.

"After what you and your sister did for my daughter's wedding, I'm happy to do it," Antonio said pecking her on the cheek. "Gina was so happy..."

"She's such a sweet girl," Darla replied. "She made such a beautiful bride."

Antonio beamed at her. "And you gave her such a beautiful ceremony!"

"We'd do it all over again if you wanted us to," Darla replied as Hans held out her seat for her.

"How about we start you both out with some Bruschetta?" Antonio offered. "On the house."

"Thank you," Hans said. "That sounds fantastic."

Darla smiled as Antonio walked away. "He's such a sweet man."

Hans nodded. "Gave us the best table in the house."

Darla grinned. "Well, he's known my father for years. In fact, he likes to joke that my dad keeps him in business. Well, Daddy and Maddie."

Hans laughed. "That I can see."

Darla took a sip of her drink wondering when she should bring up their talk. She decided to play it by ear.

"You will be able to go with me to RJ's match next weekend, right?" she asked.

"I'm hoping to," Hans nodded.

"Win or lose, we're holding a party for him at the Burrow afterwards," Darla said. "And my family would really like to get to know you better. That last time was a bit of a disaster."

"Right," Hans said. "Well if for some reason I can't make it to the game, I'll definitely be at the party. But at this point I hope to make it to both."

Darla smiled. "I'd really like that."

"Great," Hans said, reaching for her hand.

Darla drew back. "I-I think we should talk."

He nodded. "That's why we're here..."

Drew sighed. "No, really talk. Every time, I've tried, you've put me off."

"I'll listen to whatever you have to say," Hans said. "I don't want to screw this up Dar."

"My family is very important to me," Darla began. "And I know you're not as close to yours as I am to mine, and that's okay."

"I understand that," Hans said.

"And I know that we've both been busy, but it really hurt me when you acted the way you did that night my parents were over," Darla continued.

"I'm so sorry about that Dar," Hans said. "But the thing is too, you also have to realise that my career rises and falls. I get busy sometimes with shoots and I forget things."

"I do realise that," Darla responded. "But---"

"Here's your Bruschetta," Antonio said placing the plate in front of them. "Do you have any idea what you'd like for your entree?"

"Oh... not yet." Hans pulled a menu to him. "Give us a moment?"

"Of course," Antonio said, nodding before he headed to another table.

Darla decided to tell him what she was really upset about. She had thought about not even bringing it up, but since they were talking, she wanted to bring everything out in the open.

"There's something else," Darla said quietly.

"What?" Hans looked up.

"A few days back, I ran into Christian and Kylie," Darla said referring to two of Hans' modelling friends. "Kylie told me that Billie was back in town."

Billie was one of Hans' ex-girlfriends and he'd come close to marrying her. What troubled Darla was the fact that Hans hadn't mentioned it to her.

Hans stared at her. "What's your point Dar?"

"Kylie said that she took you all out for drinks the other night," Darla replied.

"Yeah after a shoot," Hans sat back. "Billie means nothing to me anymore."

"You told me you went out with the guys after that shoot," Darla reminded him.

"I don't even remember what I told you anymore," Hans replied. "Dar..."

"That selective memory of yours," Darla said sarcastically.

Hans felt himself starting to get annoyed. "Look I thought you wanted to come here to talk, not to play the accusation game."

"I do want to talk," Darla hissed. "You're getting awfully defensive, don't you think?"

"No, I don't think." Hans replied tightly. "You're insinuating things that aren't true. So what if Billie's back in town? I'm not with her am I? I'm not in love with her anymore. I'm in love with you, Darla Weasley."

"Why didn't you tell me she was back?" Darla asked him, not willing to let this go.

"I honestly didn't think it mattered that much," Hans said.

"It matters to me," Darla said angrily. "You nearly married her! And she's a complete knockout, for another."

"So are you," Hans said.

"I'm not a supermodel though, am I?" Darla said looking down at the tablecloth.

"You don't have to be," Hans moved his chair closer. "I think you're the most beautiful woman in the world Darla."

Darla shook her head. "I think you might need glasses."

"Why are you suddenly so doubtful?" Hans asked. "Just over Billie?"

Darla nodded. "She's beautiful and you almost married her, Hans. And she's the one person I think you'd leave me for..."

"I don't ever want to leave you," Hans said quietly.

"You don't?" Darla asked.

"No," he shook his head. "I keep telling you, I love you. While we were fighting I was fucking miserable."

"Me too," Darla admitted, her lower lip trembling.

"That's why I pulled out of my shoot to come to your sister's wedding," Hans reached for her hand.

"Oh, Hans," Darla said squeezing his hand. "I'm sorry for being so insecure."

"It's okay baby," Hans said. "At the risk of sounding completely corny, I only have eyes for you."

"That is pretty corny," Darla admitted resting her forehead on his. "But I love it just the same."

"I love you sweetheart," Hans traced her cheek with his finger.

"I love you too," Darla said smiling at him. "So, we're okay?"

"I hope so," he said.

Darla gave him a chaste kiss. "I'll try to be more understanding."

"I'll try to be more available." Hans promised.

Drew smiled. "I'm glad we finally got all this out in the open."

"Me too," he gave her a kiss.

"Let's order now," Darla said grinning at him. "We have loads to celebrate."

"Right," Hans said. "We have all night..."

"Well," Darla said. "Hopefully, we do. Something's going on with Drew and I need to check in with her later to make sure everything's okay."

"Is she all right?" Hans asked after Antonio had come to take their order and gone.

Darla debated telling him, but she had a feeling that Drew wouldn't mind. "She found out today that she was pregnant."

"Drew's pregnant?" Hans's eyebrows shot up.

Darla nodded. "A little over three months along. She's telling Brian tonight, but she's a little worried about telling him after what happened with Paul."

"I don't think she's got anything to worry about," Hans said thoughtfully. "Brian's mad about her."

"That's what I told her," Darla said. "And I told her to ring me if there were any problems."

"I'm sure everything will be fine," Hans said.

"Me too," Darla said.

The rest of their dinner went by fast and soon enough Hans and Darla found themselves back at his place.

"Let me just check in with Drew," Darla said fishing her mobile out of her bag.

"I'll go get us a glass of wine," Hans went into the kitchen area.

Darla nodded as she punched in their home number. The answering machine picked up so Darla decided to try her sister's mobile.

"Drew?" Darla asked when she heard someone pick up the phone. "I can barely hear you...Drew?"

"Dar!" Drew exclaimed. "I'm getting married!"

"WHAT?" Darla squealed. "DREW!"

Hans looked up. "What is it?"

"Drew and Brian are engaged!" Darla told her boyfriend. "Isn't that fantastic?"

"Hey tell them congratulations!" Hans said with a grin.

"Hans says congratulations," Darla told her sister. "Where are you now?"

"At Mum and Dad's," Drew said. "We've just told them the news."

"How'd they take it?" Darla asked.

"Mum cried," Drew said. "And Dad was a little emotional but they're excited about having a new grandchild."

"You're putting pressure on me and Maddie and RJ," Darla teased.

"I certainly hope RJ isn't ready anytime soon," Drew laughed. "But you were right Dar. I was worrying over nothing."

"I told you so, "Darla said. "Let me talk to Dad."

There was some muffled conversation and then she heard her father's voice. "Hi sweetheart," he said.

"Hiya Grandpa," Darla said giggling.

"Very funny," Ron replied. "I can't believe your sister is pregnant."

"I know," Darla said. "You're being nice to Brian, aren't you?"

"Of course I am," Ron replied. "He makes my girl happy."

"He sure does," Darla said. "And that's all we can ask for."

"You're with Hans tonight?" Ron asked her.

"Yes, we just finished dinner at Antonio's," Darla said. "And he's promised he'll try and make it for RJ's match next weekend."

"We can't wait to see him again," Ron replied. "All the kids here are looking forward to the game."

"As much as the proud father?" Darla teased.

"You'd better believe it," Ron said. "I'll let you go sweetheart."

"Congratulations, Daddy," Darla said. "Tell Mum hi for me."

"I will," Ron said. "We'll see you soon Darla."

Darla clicked off her phone and smiled at Hans. "I'm so happy for them, Hans."

"Me too," he handed her a glass of Chardonnay.

"Thank you," she said taking the glass. "I guess this is a wedding I'll be planning on my own."

Hans smiled at her. "Come here," he said, pulling her over to the sofa.

"This is nice," Darla said setting her glass on the end table.

"Yeah it is," he reached for her hand. "I love being alone with you."

"Me too," Darla said giving him a kiss.

Hans worked his arms around her, keeping her body against his.

"You smell of garlic," Darla whispered.

Hans laughed. "You don't exactly smell like a rose either."

Darla poked his side. "So I guess we cancel each other out then."

"Something like that," he pressed his lips to hers again.

Darla kissed him back, enjoying being with him without having their problems hanging over her head. This was really going to be a new start for them.

129. 129!

Another short one tonight, but you all get more of Hannah ;) Saturday’s should definitely be longer!

Some of you guys are asking if we’re going to be finishing this story up soon, and the answer to that is a big NO! We have soooo much storyline planned and will continue writing as long as you all continue reading!

We hope you like this chapter, and please review!!!

Hannah pulled the covers on her bed up tight and placed some of the dolls she'd been given on the pillow. Luna had told her that Frankie was bringing her nieces over that day to play with her.

She wasn't quite sure how she felt about this yet. Another girl named Jenny had arrived and seemed to enjoy playing outside with Joey and Zack rather than inside with dolls. Besides that, Hannah was used to having Frankie to herself when she visited and was scared that she'd be forgotten about if there were lots of other people around.

"Your room looks really nice," Luna said from the doorway.

"Thank you," Hannah said shyly. "I'm trying to keep it neat."

Luna smiled at her. "You don't have to be nervous about today, Hannah."

Hannah wrapped her arms protectively around herself. She had put on one of the outfits Frankie had bought for her.

"I spoke with Caroline on the phone this morning and she couldn't wait to come over and play," Luna said sitting down on the edge of Hannah's bed.

The little girl nodded and grabbed the teddy bear she'd started sleeping with every night.

"Did you want me to put your hair in plaits today?" Luna asked. "Or do you want to wear it down?"

"I don't know," Hannah answered. "My mummy used to put it in plaits for me sometimes."

"I can plait it for you and if you don't like it, we can take it down," Luna suggested.

"Okay," Hannah said, a tentative smile on her face.

Luna grabbed a brush and some ties from the dresser. "You have the prettiest hair, Hannah. It's so thick."

"Thank you," Hannah said quietly.

Luna finished plaiting Hannah's hair. "How about you take a look?"

"It's pretty," Hannah blushed a little. "I like it."

"I'm going to finish making some refreshments," Luna said. "Would you like to help me?"

"What are you making?" Hannah asked.

"Chocolate chip biscuits," Luna said. "Which I happen to know is certain four-year old's favourite..."

Hannah's face brightened. "I love those."

"I know," Luna said tickling Hannah's side. "With extra chocolate chips..."

"I'll help," Hannah chanced a smile at Luna.

Luna grinned at her. "You are the best helper in the world, Hannah."

"I am?" Hannah asked. "Really?"

"Yes you are," Luna said standing up and taking Hannah's hand. "I wouldn't say so otherwise."

"Do you think Frankie will like our chocolate chip biscuits?" Hannah asked as they went downstairs.

"I think so," Luna replied.

"You and Frankie are nice to me," Hannah said softly.

"You make it easy," Luna said pulling up a step stool for Hannah.

Hannah looked at her for a moment and opened her mouth to say something with Ron came into the kitchen.

"Good morning, sweetheart," Ron said pecking Luna on the cheek. "I finished mowing the lawn so everything's all nice for the princess ceremony."

"Thank you," Luna smiled at him. "Hannah and I are making some biscuits right now."

"Good morning, Hannah," Ron said smiling at the little girl.

Hannah stared at him wordlessly for a few moments. "Hi," she finally whispered.

"Are you looking forward to meeting the girls?" Ron asked her.

Hannah nodded shyly.

"I'll be out of your hair today," Ron said. "I'm taking Joey and Zack to the Puddlemere pitch to watch RJ's practise."

"They'll have loads of fun," Luna replied. "You should see if Jenny wants to tag along. She doesn't seem very interested in the princess gathering."

"I'll go and ask her," Ron said. He looked at Hannah. "Save me a few of those biscuits, alright?"

"Okay," Hannah said softly.

Luna exchanged a look with Ron. This was a huge step for Hannah. She hadn't spoken to Ron since her arrival.

"You boys have fun," Luna said smiling at her husband. "And tell RJ to stop by after the practise."

"I will," Ron said. "Next time I see you, you'll be an official princess," he smiled at Hannah.

"Belle," Hannah whispered.

"So you're Belle," Ron said. "She's a very beautiful princess isn't she?"

Hannah again nodded shyly.

"And she loves books just like Hannah," Luna said.

"I guess it was just meant to be," Ron wanted to give the little girl a hug but didn't in case he'd overstep his bounds.

Luna pulled out a couple of mixing bowls. "Hannah? Could you put some sugar in this bowl....just up to that first line there."

"Okay," Hannah carefully took the bag and scooped the sugar in.

Ron winked at Luna before walking out of the kitchen.

Luna and Hannah had fun mixing the ingredients for the biscuits and before long, they were placing the first batch in the oven.

"They smell yummy," Hannah peered into the door.

"They certainly do," Frankie said as she stepped into the kitchen.

"Frankie!" Hannah exclaimed making a beeline for her.

"Hey you," Frankie laughed as she hugged the little girl. "You look awfully pretty today!"

Hannah grinned. "So do you!"

"Thank you," Frankie kissed her cheek. "Would you like to meet some new friends?"

Hannah nodded. "Are they here?"

"In the sitting room," Frankie said.

Hannah wrapped her arms around Frankie's neck and said a silent prayer that Frankie's nieces would like her.

"Han!" she heard someone call out from the sitting room.

"That's my niece, Emma," Frankie explained. "She's the most excited, I think."

Hannah managed a small, trembly smile.

Frankie carried Hannah into the sitting room where Allison was sitting with the girls.

"Hannah, I'd like you to meet my sister, Allie," Frankie said.

"It's so nice to meet you Hannah," Allison said smiling warmly at the little girl. "Don't you look pretty today!"

"Thank you," Hannah said shyly.

"And the little redhead in her arms is Emma Madeline Weasley," Frankie said continuing the introductions.

"Hi Han!" Emma said, wiggling excitedly. "You're Em's best friend!"

Hannah smiled. "I am?"

Emma held out the stuffed animals she'd brought. "These for Han!"

"For me?" Hannah asked Frankie uncertainly.

"Emma's decided to give some of her animals to you," Frankie set her down.

"Thank you," Hannah said politely.

"I'm Caroline," Caroline said stepping forward. "You really do look like Belle!"

"Hi," Hannah blushed. "You look like her too."

Caroline grinned. "Thanks. We brought over some of our princess costumes and you even get your own tiara."

Emma toddled over to Hannah and took her hand.

"Come be princess," she urged.

"Wait just a minute Em," Frankie laughed. "This here is Mia," she placed a hand on her other niece's shoulder. "And then we have Katie."

"Hi," Mia said shyly. "I really like your name."

"Thanks," Hannah said, equally shy. She moved back to take Frankie's hand again.

Katie stared at Hannah wanting so badly to ask her what it was like to be an orphan, but she'd promised her mother she wouldn't say anything hurtful.

"Would you like to be in our princess club then?" Caroline asked her. "We have this dress for you," she pulled out her Belle gown. "You can keep it."

"What do you say, Hannah?" Frankie asked kneeling down to look at her. “You want to be a princess?”

"I want to," Hannah nodded.

"Yay!" Emma exclaimed clapping her hands.

"Hello girls," Luna came into the room. "I have fresh baked chocolate chip biscuits for all of you."

"Gamma Lu!" Emma squealed. "Em still baby!"

Luna laughed as she picked up her granddaughter. "Until Adam is born, remember sweetheart?"

Emma nodded. "Aunt Do have baby too!"

"That's right," Luna said. "You're going to have a new cousin in about six months."

"How about we have some biscuits before the ceremony, girls?" Allison asked struggling to get to her feet. Frankie broke away from Hannah for a moment to help her sister.

"Okay Mummy," Caroline said. "Does everyone want biscuits first?"

"I do," Katie said with a grin.

"Me too," Mia chimed in.

The other girls followed Luna and Emma into the kitchen, but Hannah hung back.

"What's wrong, Belle?" Frankie asked.

Hannah bit her lower lip. "Do they really like me?"

"You, my friend, are what we would call a hit," Frankie replied smiling at her. "They love you already. You heard Emma. You're her new best friend."

A sincere smile touched the corners of her mouth. "I really have friends now..."

Frankie gave her a hug. "You sure do."

Hannah held onto Frankie tightly.

"I'm dying to try your biscuits," Frankie said patting Hannah's back.

"I made them specially for you," Hannah said.

"For moi?" Frankie asked dramatically. "And I'm not even a princess!"

Hannah giggled.

"Let's go taste the royal biscuits then," Frankie said tickling Hannah.

"Okay," Hannah said, taking Frankie's hand.

"Who wants milk with their biscuits?" Luna was asking as they walked into the kitchen.

"Me, Gamma." Emma said.

"Me too," Mia said. "Please."

"Can I have some pumpkin juice?" Caroline asked.

"You can," Luna said. "How about you, Allie?"

"Milk would be fine," Allison replied.

"Can I have juice too?" Katie asked politely.

Luna nodded and Frankie and Hannah both opted for milk. Everyone agreed that the biscuits were delicious.

"You can thank Hannah for that," Luna said smiling at her foster daughter. "She helped make them."

"Good job Han," Emma said.

"Thanks," Hannah said softly.

"It's time for the ceremony," Caroline got up. "We have to go change."

"You girls can use the play room," Luna told them.

"Thank you Grandma," Caroline said. "Come on Hannah, we'll help you with your dress."

"Okay," Hannah said after looking at Frankie. "You'll be right here, Frankie?"

"I'm not going anywhere," Frankie promised.

Hannah followed the rest of the girls out of the kitchen.

Allison smiled at her sister. "You were right, Frankie."

"Isn't she just the sweetest thing?" Frankie gushed.

"She is," Allison agreed.

"She's come such a long way already because of you, Frankie." Luna sat down with a cup of coffee. "She's already shown signs of becoming more confident, and she's started talking to Ron."

Frankie grinned. "That's fantastic, Luna! I'm so proud of her."

"You should tell her," Luna said. "I don't want to scare you Frankie but I think that little girl looks up to you as a mother figure."

"Me?" Frankie asked. "I haven't done much, Luna."

"You've done more than you think," Allison told her sister.

Frankie was taken aback to hear this, but it didn't scare her. She was glad that she'd been able to make a difference with Hannah. She still felt that she wasn't doing enough; that she could be doing so much more.

"I just think it's wonderful what you're doing for her Frankie," Luna continued. "You've been more than generous with all the kids. I can't thank you enough."

Frankie blushed. "I'm happy to do it, Luna."

"We're ready!" Mia called into the room.

Allison grinned. "So are we!"

Frankie sat up as the girls began parading into the room.

"And," Caroline said standing back. "Our newest princess... Princess Belle!"

Hannah shyly edged into the room.

Frankie felt tears welling up in her eyes as she saw Hannah.

"Twirl like we showed you," Caroline whispered to Hannah. "You can do it."

"Do it with me?" Hannah looked a bit panicked.

Caroline smiled at her. "Okay, Hannah. On the count of three. One, two, three..."

All the girls spun around in graceful circles at the same time, making Allison, Frankie and Luna burst into applause.

"Show Hannah the princess wave!" Mia urged Katie. "Hannah, Katie does the best princess wave."

Katie smiled and demonstrated the wave. "Just make sure you look to the right and left when you do it..."

"Okay," Hannah tried to do it.

"That's good, Hannah," Katie said encouragingly. "You're a natural."

Hannah blushed deeply. "Thank you."

Frankie wiped her eyes before going over to Hannah.

"You look like a real princess, Hannah," Frankie said softly.

Hannah grinned at her. "I like being Belle."

Seeing how happy Hannah was made Frankie want to cry even more, but she didn't want to do that in front of the little girl. Instead she took Hannah's hand and started twirling her around. The sound of Hannah's laughter was like music to Frankie's ears.

Allison shared a look with Luna, who was also wiping at her eyes. She was proud of her sister for being such an important part of this young girl's life.

"Okay, princesses," Caroline said. "It's time to play Beauty Shop. Me and Hannah are going to be in charge."

"Too bad Aunt Maddie isn't here right?" Allison teased her daughter.

"My Aunt Maddie has the bestest beauty shop hair ever," Caroline told Hannah. "But for today, we'll have to make do with what we have."

Hannah smiled. "Okay, what do we do?"

"Well, usually Em is my helper," Caroline explained. "Because she likes to set up all the stuff. And Katie's always our customer because she loves to be waited on."

Katie giggled. "Caroline!"

"You do," Caroline laughed.

Katie shrugged. "Well, it is fun."

"So," Caroline continued taking Hannah's hand. "Katie and Mia will be our customers..."

"What about Em?" Emma asked her sister.

"You're the helper," Caroline replied. "And you can do the Magic Mud since I know you love that part mostest."

"Em loves Magic Mud," Emma said eagerly.

"You know what girls?" Luna said. "Grandpa just made the lawn look all nice and pretty. How about you have an outdoor beauty shop today?"

"Oooh!" Katie squealed. "Let's!"

"Today we'll call it the Princess Salon," Caroline decided. "Come on everyone!" she kept a hold on Hannah's fingers as the girls ran out the door.

Allison smiled as she, Frankie and Luna watched the girls set up their shop on the deck.

"She looks happy," Allison said putting an arm around her sister. "You helped do that, Frankie."

"I've never heard her laugh like that," Frankie admitted.

"Undoubtedly she hasn't in awhile," Luna nodded.

"She's never had friends before," Frankie said softly. "A few minutes ago, she looked at me and said that she actually had friends. I'm so happy for her."

The three women continued to watch out the window as the group of girls set everything up.

"We can use the little chairs," Caroline said.

"Em do mud!" Emma said happily, digging her little hands into the container they used.

"Have you ever played beauty shop before?" Caroline asked Hannah.

Hannah shook her head.

Caroline smiled. "It's okay. It's really easy, Hannah. Mia can be your customer and I'll take Katie. You just brush her hair and fix it and talk to her about her job and her family..."

"Okay," Hannah said nervously. She wasn't quite sure what to say to the blonde girl who sat down in front of her.

"Madam Hairwitch," Mia said. "I would like plaits today."

Hannah had plaited her doll's hair before so she hoped that she'd do a nice enough job on Mia's hair.

"Okay," Hannah said picking up a brush and running it through Mia's hair. "You...you have really pretty hair."

"Thank you," Mia beamed.

"I have a big party tonight," Katie said dramatically. "I would like something really glamorous and beautiful."

"Will the prince be escorting you?" Caroline asked.

"Yes he will be," Katie replied. "He's the most handsome prince in the kingdom."

"But I thought he was going out with Pocahontas," Caroline said conversationally. "She was in here yesterday and she said he was HER boyfriend."

"Well," Katie said in a haughty tone. "She doesn't realise that he's with Tinkerbell now. And if she doesn't watch out, I'll tell Captain Hook to take her away!"

"You wouldn't!" Caroline exclaimed.

"Oh yes," Katie replied. "No one takes my boyfriend away from me!"

Hannah and Mia giggled.

"Katie always has the best stories," Mia told Hannah.

"This is fun," Hannah said as she tried to plait Mia's hair.

"We always have fun doing this," Mia said. "And you're doing really well."

"Really?" Hannah asked. "I never played this before."

Mia smiled. "We play it all the time and you're doing great, Hannah."

"I hope my plaits are okay," Hannah tied one off.

"It's okay if they're not," Mia told her. "But I'm sure they'll be pretty."

"When does Em get to do mud?" Emma called out.

"I would love the mud treatment, miss," Katie said snapping her fingers. "It's the reason I have such nice skin."

"Pretty," Emma nodded. "Pretty for the prince!"

Katie giggled. "That's right, Em."

"I was a little worried about hiring a mermaid for this job," Caroline confided. "But she's so good at giving shampoos."

"I would love a shampoo on my next trip," Mia called out.

"Pencil her in, Em," Caroline told her sister.

"Kay," Emma took out the old magazine they used as their appointment book.

"You guys won't believe what I heard," Mia said.

"What?" Caroline asked, eager for 'gossip'.

"I heard that Ariel has a crush on this really cute American boy," Mia said winking at Emma.

"Gabey!" Emma clapped her hands.

Caroline and Katie giggled. "Ariel and Gabriel," Katie said with a grin.

"What about Prince Eric?" Hannah asked. She had watched The Little Mermaid the other night with Frankie.

"Prince Gabriel is much, much cuter," Caroline giggled. "Like Uncle Will."

Mia turned to look at Hannah. "Princess Jasmine has a big crush on Will."

"That's Frankie's husband," Hannah said softly.

"And my uncle," Mia said. "He's the best."

"Uncle Will really is the bestest," Caroline agreed. "Did you get to meet him yet Hannah? I bet you'd like him."

Hannah nodded. "Just once."

"I bet he was super nice to you," Caroline said.

He had been nice now that she thought about it, but there were times when her father had been nice, too.

"I'm finished," Hannah said, wanting to talk about something else.

Mia picked up a mirror and examined Hannah's work.

"I look pretty!" Mia exclaimed. "Thank you Madam Hairwitch."

"You're welcome," Hannah blushed.

"Mud?" Emma asked hopefully.

"I suppose I could use a mud treatment," Mia said. "Do you have the time today?"

Emma nodded. "Em has time."

"All right then," Mia sat down and Emma gave her the cape to cover her princess dress.

Frankie came out onto the porch. "I know that I'm not a princess, but I was hoping one of you could fit me in. My hair is such a mess!"

Caroline pointed to Hannah. "My assistant is free, madam."

"Thank you," Frankie said. "I've heard good things about her."

Hannah turned red as Frankie sat down. "Um..." she began.

"How about you just brush and style it," Frankie suggested. "Whatever you think is best."

"Okay," Hannah nervously picked up a brush. "You have pretty hair."

"I got that from my Mum," Frankie said smiling as Hannah started brushing her hair.

"My mummy and I had the same hair too," Hannah said softly. "Daddy didn't like that."

"Your daddy didn't know what he was talking about," Frankie said firmly. "You have beautiful brown hair, Hannah."

Hannah smiled at Frankie gratefully.

Frankie smiled back. "And I've never had a real princess do my hair. I can't wait to tell all my friends!"

Hannah giggled. "I'm not really a princess though."

"Yes you are," Frankie said. "To me, you are."

"Really?" Hannah asked.

Frankie nodded. "Always."

Hannah put down the brush and hugged her.

Frankie hugged her back and fought her own tears.

Caroline smiled at her aunt as she finished with Katie's hair. "You look beautiful, dah-ling."

"Prettier than Pocahontas?" Katie asked.

"Definitely," Caroline nodded.

Katie grinned. "I couldn't have done it without you."

"That's because Mistress Caroline's Princess Salon is the best," Caroline replied.

"All the princesses go here," Katie said giving Caroline a hug.

"Em do mud," Emma called out. "Tink next!"

Frankie giggled. "Too bad Grandpa Neville isn't here, right Em?"

"Gampa love mud," Emma replied.

"He hates it actually," Frankie whispered to Hannah. "But he sits there because he knows that she loves it."

"He sounds nice," Hannah said tentatively.

"He is," Frankie said. "I hope someday you'll get to meet him. He's really good friends with Ron."

"Ron was nice to me today," Hannah said softly. "He wants me to save him biscuits."

Frankie laughed. "That sounds like Ron."

"Han want mud too?" Emma asked.

"Sure," Hannah said smiling at Emma.

"Sit," Emma pointed to her chair. "Em do good job for Han."

Hannah did as she was told and Frankie decided to check in with Caroline and Katie.

"Hannah's really great, Aunt Frankie," Caroline told her aunt.

"I'm so glad you girls like her," Frankie said.

"She did a good job on my plaits," Mia said tugging on one of them. "Didn't she?"

"Yes she did," Frankie beamed at her other niece.

"We should play together every weekend," Katie said. "I bet she'd like that."

"That's very nice of you Katie," Frankie replied.

Hannah giggled as Emma rubbed some of the mud on her face. "Emma, that's cold."

"Good for you," Emma told her.

"What does it do?" Hannah asked.

Emma thought for a moment. "Sissy? What does mud do?"

"Makes your skin pretty," Caroline told her.

"Makes Han pretty!" Emma echoed.

"Okay," Hannah said as Emma put a huge glob of it on her cheek.

Frankie laughed as Emma smeared the mud all over Hannah's face.

"It's really cold," Hannah giggled.

"Rub it between your hands Em," Frankie said. "It'll warm it up a little."

"Kay," Emma said doing as her aunt asked. "Sorry, Han."

"It's okay Emma," Hannah replied.

In the kitchen, Allison helped herself to another one of the biscuits.

"Caught you," Luna said laughing.

"I can't help it," Allison grinned. "I'm eating for two. And what Adam wants, he gets."

"Eat as many as you want," Luna said. "There's another batch in the oven."

"These are delicious," Allison said.

Luna poured herself another cup of coffee. "So how are things going? Jonathan told me you had a scare the other night..."

"I was worried that I was going to go through what happened with Emma," Allison admitted. "But when that happened, the pain didn't go away. This time it did."

"That's good," Luna said patting Allison's shoulder. "I don't know what we'd do without you, Allie."

"Thanks Luna," Allison replied.

"And I'm so glad the girls could come over today," Luna said sitting back down.

"Em hasn't talked about anything else all week," Allison said. "She was so excited to meet Hannah."

"It's good for Hannah to have friends," Luna said thoughtfully. "The two boys have been hanging together and then Jenny's come along, but she's more of a tomboy so she and Hannah don't have that much in common."

"Frankie's really taken with her," Allison nodded.

"She is," Luna agreed. "I really don't think Hannah would have come so far without her."

"It just amazes me that she's come this far in a week," Allison said.

"Me too," Luna agreed. "And she's talking to Ron now which was a bit step. It's not much, of course, but it's a start."

Allison nodded as the girls came back in.

"Don't you all look gorgeous," Luna said smiling at them.

"Em did mud Gamma," Emma said happily.

"You do the best mud," Luna said scooping her up. "Your Grandpa is going to hate that he missed that."

Caroline giggled. "Tell him next time."

"I will," Luna said squeezing Emma. "You want some more biscuits?"

Emma nodded eagerly.

"Okay," Luna said giving her a kiss. "Coming right up, my little mermaid."

"Now that you're in the princess club," Katie told Hannah. "When we have meetings we all have to wear our dresses."

"Okay," Hannah said eagerly. "How often do you meet?"

"Every few weeks," Caroline told her.

"Thank you," Hannah said.

"For what?" she asked.

"For letting me play with you," Hannah said shyly.

Caroline grinned at her. "You're our new friend, Hannah."

Hannah beamed at her.

"Best friends," Mia said and even Katie nodded in agreement.

"Em's best friend," Emma chimed in.

Hannah grinned. "Thanks, Emma."

"That's my girls," Allison said proudly.

The rest of the afternoon went by quickly and the girls were exhausted by the end of the day. The girls promised Hannah that they'd see her at the Quidditch match next weekend.

"I made new friends today," Hannah said to Frankie and Luna. She was more animated than either one of them had seen her be in the week she'd been there.

"You sure did," Frankie said giving her a hug.

"You sure had a lot of fun today," Luna commented.

Hannah nodded. "Thank you."

"Thank you," Luna said. "For all your help. You're a lovely baking partner."

"They were pretty good, weren't they?" Hannah asked.

"Ron's going to absolutely love them," Luna told her. "And I think we've saved enough for the other kids too."

Hannah yawned and Frankie laughed. "A bit knackered?"

"A little," Hannah nodded.

"We might have time for a story before I go home," Frankie said.

"A new story?" Hannah brightened.

"Of course," Frankie replied with a wink.

"Yay," Hannah said happily.

"I'm just going to check in on Caitlin," Luna said excusing herself.

"What would you like to read?" Frankie asked. "I'll let you pick."

Hannah thought about this for a few moments. "Rapunzel?"

"That sounds like a good one to me," Frankie followed Hannah upstairs.

"I like that one," Hannah said. "And you're really good with the voices, Frankie. I know you said you weren't, but you really are."

"Thanks Hannah," Frankie smiled. "I'm getting better aren't I?"

Hannah nodded. "All the time."

"I'm glad," Frankie said as they settled on the bed.

Hannah cuddled up beside Frankie as Frankie began to read.

It didn’t' take long for the little girl to nod off. Frankie gently removed the tiara from her hair and took her slippers off before pulling a light blanket over the sleeping child.

"Sweet dreams, Hannah," Frankie whispered.

130. 130

Here’s a much longer chapter to make up for the shorter one on Tuesday ;)

It’s basically one long scene, but we think you all will really enjoy it. We’re so happy you love Hannah’s character and she’s the main star of this chapter!

Thanks again for your continued support in this, and let us know what you think!

Hannah pulled the Puddlemere sweatshirt Frankie had given her over her head. Today they would all be going to the opening match, something the other three kids were looking forward to with lots of enthusiasm.

"Come ON Hannah!" Jenny poked her head in the door. "We're all ready to go!"

"Coming," Hannah said slipping into her trainers.

"Aren't you excited?" Jenny asked.

Hannah shrugged. "I don't know much about Quidditch."

Truth be told, she was worried that she wouldn't see Frankie. She figured that she'd be too busy running around to have time to be with her.

"I think you're going to like it," Jenny said, hopping up and down.

"Come on, girls," Luna said from the doorway. "We're ready to go."

Hannah pushed her hair back and followed Luna and Jenny downstairs.

"Mister Ron, will we really get to meet your son?" Zack asked.

Joey hit his friend on the arm. "I bet he's not really his son."

"Shut up," Zack replied. "He's got pictures of him all over the place!"

"Duh, he's a wizard," Joey said rolling his eyes. "He probably made them with magic and we've never seen him around here, have we?"

"Joey that's quite enough," Ron said. "Do you want to go today or not?"

"Yes," Joey said quietly. "Sorry..."

"We're ready," Luna announced, coming into the room with Hannah and Jenny.

"Great," Ron said smiling at the girls. "You two are going to see the best player in the world today..."

"Mister Ron's son!" Zack said excitedly.

Ron clapped the boy on the back. "Right you are!"

"My father is meeting us at the pitch," Luna said. "And Greta's going to keep an eye on Caitlin for us."

"Great," Ron said. "Let's get going!"

Hannah took Luna's hand and watched as Jenny hurried to catch up with the boys and Ron. This was going to be a long day, she thought glumly.

"Aren't you excited sweetheart?" Luna noticed the expression on Hannah's face.

Hannah nodded. "I've never been to a Quidditch game."

"I really think you'll like it," Luna assured her. "It's very exciting."

Hannah smiled slightly. "I bet your son will be glad his mummy is there."

"I imagine he might not even notice until the game is over," Luna grinned.

It didn't take very long for them to arrive at the Puddlemere pitch. The arena was completely packed and Hannah stared in awe at the sheer magnitude of the place.

"It's something else, isn't it?" Luna asked squeezing her hand.

Hannah nodded wordlessly while Zack, Joey and Jenny jumped around excitedly.

"Where's RJ?" Zack asked Ron.

"I'm sure he's getting ready," Ron said. "But you lot will get to meet him after the game, I promise."

"Dad!" Maddie called out. She let go of Ethan's hand and ran towards her parents.

"Hey you!" Ron hugged his daughter. "We were hoping you both would be back for this!"

"We wouldn't have missed this," Maddie said hugging him back. "We just arrived a few minutes ago. Hi, Mum!"

"Come and meet my daughter, Hannah," Luna said.

"Okay," Hannah said softly, staying behind Luna.

Luna gave her daughter a hug while Ethan shook hands with Ron.

"I want to hear all about the honeymoon," Luna said smiling at her. "You look all tanned and relaxed!"

"It was absolutely wonderful," Maddie replied. "I love being married!"

"It shows," Luna said. "I'd love for you to meet the kids. This here is, Hannah."

"Hello Hannah," Maddie smiled invitingly at her. "It's very nice to meet you!"

Hannah clung to Luna. "Hi," she said shyly.

"And these little rug rats are Joey, Zack and Jenny," Ron said continuing the introductions. "This is my daughter Maddie and her husband, Ethan."

"How're you doing boys?" Ethan shook their hands. "Mads don't we have some gifts for the kids?"

"What'd you get us?" Joey asked tactlessly.

"Joey," Ron said sternly.

"Please?" Joey added on.

"You have no manners," Jenny said hitting him on the arm.

"I have more than you," Joey retorted.

Maddie pulled two shell necklaces out of her bag. "These are for Jenny and Hannah," Maddie said handing them to the girls.

"Those are beautiful," Luna admired.

"Thank you!" Jenny said happily.

"Thank you," Hannah said shyly.

"I got one for Caroline, Emma, Katie and Ashley so you girls will all match," Maddie said smiling at Hannah. She knew that her nieces had bonded with Hannah.

"What about us?" Joey whined. "Please..." he added quickly when he felt Ron's eyes on him.

"Well," Ethan said. "I know you boys wouldn't want any necklaces..."

"No way," Zack said.

"So," Ethan said producing a cage which housed two baby iguanas. "Luna and Ron said it would be okay..."

"COOL!" Zack exclaimed.

"No way!" Joey's eyes were wide. "This is awesome!"

"I've never had a pet before," Zack said grinning at Ethan. "Thanks!"

"You're very welcome," Ethan mussed the boy's hair.

"Yeah thanks," Joey could hardly take his eyes off the cage.

"That was really sweet of you both," Luna said to Maddie.

"It's the least we could do," Maddie replied. "I'd like to go look for Frankie- I haven't seen her yet."

"Frankie?" Hannah asked peering out from behind Luna. "You...you know Frankie?"

"She's my best friend," Maddie smiled at the young girl. "And she's told me all about you, Hannah."

Hannah blushed. "Really?"

"Yes she did," Maddie said. "Told me about how the two of you have become really good friends. I also found out you're one of the princesses now!"

"Belle," Hannah said, her cheeks still pink.

"She's one of my favourites," Maddie said with an easy smile.

"Let's go inside, you lot," Ron said motioning them toward the front gate. "I want to go and check in with RJ and see how he's doing."

"Can we please go with you Mister Ron?" Joey begged.

"I'll go with you to keep an eye on them while you talk with RJ," Ethan volunteered.

"Okay then," Ron said smiling at his son-in-law. "Let's go then."

"I want to go too," Jenny pouted.

"It's a boy’s locker room sweetheart," Luna told her. "You wouldn't be able to go in there."

"That's unfair!" Jenny grumbled.

"Frankie promised that they'd come meet you lot after the game," Luna reassured her.

"Can I least watch your iguanas?" Jenny asked eagerly.

"You can watch the boys' iguanas, yes." Luna chuckled.

"Gimme," Jenny said to Zack.

"Jenny," Luna said chastisingly. "Ask nicely."

"Please," Jenny said taking the cage from Zack. The boys eagerly ran after Ethan and Ron, excited at the prospect of meeting actual Quidditch players.

In the locker room, RJ had just changed into his uniform and although he'd never admit it to any of his team-mates, he was nervous.

He nearly fell forward as Scanlon thumped him on the back. "Ready Weasley?" he bellowed.

"Of course," RJ said with false bravado. He'd barely slept last night and he'd not been able to eat a thing. Alexa had sent an owl this morning telling him that she was going to listen on the Wireless with Saffron and she knew he was going to do great. He wished he had her faith.

"Don't be scared little RJ," Scanlon grinned at him. "You're going to slaughter them out there."

"I'm a Keeper," RJ pointed out. "I just have to block the Quaffle."

"Just make sure you don't let anything through," Scanlon warned. "Or we'll---"

Murphy scowled at him. "Leave him alone. I'll tell him the way you were the day of your first match, Scanlon."

"Sod off," Scanlon ambled away and Murphy gave RJ a reassuring grin.

"You'll do fine, mate." he said. "Just pretend it's another practise."

"Thanks, Murph," RJ said gratefully.

"Weasley!" one of the team managers called out to him. "You've got some guests outside."

"I'll see you on the pitch," Murphy slapped his shoulder and RJ headed just outside. "Dad!" he exclaimed.

"There's my boy!" Ron grinned.

"And he looks a little pale," Ethan whispered to Joey and Zack.

RJ scowled at his brother in law. "Good to see you too Ethan."

"Only kidding," Ethan said hastily.

Joey and Zack were speechless as they looked at RJ.

"Hey guys," RJ smiled at them. "Ready for the game?"

Zack nodded. "I heard you were the best keeper in the world!"

"I bet I could fly better than him," Joey said smugly.

"Oh yeah?" RJ asked jokingly. "How about a pick up game this weekend?"

"Um," Joey stammered kicking his feet.

"He talks big," Zack told RJ.

"I kind of figured," RJ felt a bit better. "So make sure you guys stick around after the game. We'll come out and talk with you for a bit."

"Awesome," Zack said.

"So how you holding up?" Ron asked his son.

"All right," RJ shrugged. "I guess I'm a bit nervous."

"That's perfectly normal," Ron said. "You've heard me talk about how I was my first match. You're going to be fine. It's just nerves."

RJ nodded. "Thanks for the pep talk."

"And your Nana has been cooking up a storm and no matter what, we'll celebrate," Ron said.

"Now that I can't wait for," RJ replied. "I haven't had a good meal in ages."

"Just treat it like another practise," Ron advised.

RJ nodded. "I will. I'd better get back in there."

"Good luck," Ron said smiling reassuringly at him.

"See you after the game mate," Ethan said. "You'll do great out there."

"Thanks, Ethan," RJ said. "Glad you and Maddie were able to come back for my match."

"We wouldn't have missed it," Ethan said. "Even though we were having a great time and all--"

"Don't finish that thought," Ron said holding up a hand. "I don't want to know about what you were doing."

"Me either," RJ waved at them before disappearing into the locker room.

Up in the stands, Maddie, Luna and the girls joined the rest of the Weasley family. Emma and Caroline were there too, which was great, but Hannah still hadn't seen Frankie.

"Aunt Maddie I love my necklace," Caroline said happily. "And I really missed you!"

"Em missed Mad too!" Emma said from her perch on Maddie's lap.

"I missed you both," Maddie hugged her nieces.

"At the Burrow, can we play with your hair?" Caroline asked.

Maddie laughed. "Do you even have to ask?"

Caroline giggled. "You have the best hair, Aunt Maddie!"

"Did they teach you how to play beauty shop yet?" Maddie asked Hannah.

Hannah nodded. "It was fun."

"Han is Em's bestest friend!" Emma said beaming at Hannah.

"Hannah's your best friend?" Maddie kissed the top of her niece's head. "I think that's lovely."

Emma leaned against her aunt. "Babies!"

Everyone turned to see Lizzy and Josh coming up the steps with the triplets.

"Hello Weasleys... and Potter." Josh grinned at his little sister. "How's the newlyweds?"

"Blissfully happy," Maddie said. "Oh, Josh! The triplets have grown so much in such a short time!"

"Tell me about it," Josh picked up Casey.

Casey waved her little hand at Maddie.

Noah picked that moment to start crying and Luna got to her feet so she could help Lizzy. "Let me see my sweet Noah!"

Hannah shrank back into her seat as Jenny went to see the babies with Caroline and Emma.

Frankie led the way through the crowds. She'd done all the pregame activities and all that was left to sit back and enjoy the game. Normally, she'd watch the match with the rest of the administrative staff, but she planned on sitting with the Weasleys. And she couldn't wait to see Hannah, but Will was moving at a snail's pace.

"Come on!" She called out over her shoulder.

"Frankie I'm coming," Will said. "It's hard to move through this crowd."

"Just push them out of your way," Frankie said as if this was obvious. "Come on!"

Will would normally be irritated with his wife's tone but he knew why she was so anxious to get to their seats.

Frankie grinned when she caught sight of a box with a bunch of redheads. "There they are! Will, let's go this way. It's a shortcut!"

"I'm right here baby," Will grabbed her hand. "Don't let me go!" he clutched his chest dramatically.

Frankie laughed. "Don't be such a girl!"

"A girl?" he whined, making her laugh harder. "A girl couldn't kiss you like this..."

Frankie gasped as he pulled her to him and kissed her soundly in the middle of the crowd.

"Like that?" Will grinned irresistibly at her when they pulled apart.

"That...that works for me," Frankie said dazedly.

"Thought it might," he said in satisfaction, brushing her hair back.

"We need to go," she said smiling at him. "You slowed me down."

"Long as you promise me we'll pick things up later," he nibbled at her ear. "Either on the sofa or in bed."

"Promise," Frankie said reluctantly breaking away from him.

Up in the stands, Joey. Ethan, Zack and Ron had rejoined the rest of the group. Hannah felt left out and she looked up at the clouds. It was a favourite game that she used to play with her mother. They'd tell each other what objects they saw in the clouds.

"It's a bear," she whispered. "He's eating sweets..."

"What?" Jenny asked.

Hannah blushed. "Nothing," she said, wrapping her arms around herself.

"Frankie!" Maddie exclaimed.

"Mads!" Frankie squealed. "You're back!"

Maddie stood up and gave her friend a hug. "I have so much to tell you!"

Hannah looked up to see Frankie and a wide smile broke across her face.

"Was it everything you hoped it would be?" Frankie hadn't noticed Hannah yet.

"And more," Maddie said with a wink. "You were so right."

"You'll have to give me all the details later," Frankie giggled and her eyes fell on the brown haired girl staring at her. "Hey you!" she said with a grin.

"Hi," Hannah whispered from her seat. She wasn't sure if Frankie would want to talk to her since she had all her friends and family around her.

Frankie held her arms out and after a moment's hesitation, Hannah ran forward into them.

"You're wearing the sweatshirt I gave you," Frankie said picking her up.

Hannah nodded. "I really like it," she said softly, her arms still around Frankie's neck.

"Hiya, Hannah," Will said warmly.

"Hi," Hannah whispered almost inaudibly. She made herself remember how Caroline had said he was so nice.

Frankie hugged Hannah again. "You want to sit with me and Will?"

Hannah nodded as Will turned to greet Caroline, who shrieked with laughter as he bowed and kissed her hand.

Frankie laughed. "Come on, Hannah. Let's go sit down."

"I missed you this week," Hannah looked at her anxiously.

"I'm sorry, sweetheart," Frankie apologised as they sat down. "I've been working really hard getting ready for this first match. I wanted to come and see you, but by the time I got off work, it was already past your bedtime."

Hannah nodded. "It's okay," she said softly.

"I missed you so much," Frankie said squeezing her hand.

"You did?" Hannah's whole face brightened. "You really did?"

"Of course," Frankie said nodding. "So, how was your week?"

"I played with my dolls a lot," Hannah said.

"Did you tell her yet?" Will asked as he sat down beside Frankie.

Frankie shook her head. "I was about to."

"Tell me?" Hannah looked at Frankie.

"Well, do you remember how I talked about you coming over to my house and helping me set up my garden?" Frankie asked her.

Hannah nodded.

"Ron and Luna said that tomorrow morning, you can spend the day with me," Frankie said. "And we can go shopping and in the afternoon, we'll set up the garden. What do you say?"

"We can work in the garden?" Hannah asked excitedly. "I can plant lots of flowers?"

"As many as you want," Frankie replied.

"I can't wait," Hannah said happily.

"And you can stay through dinner," Frankie said. "I can make you anything you want."

"I really like macaroni and cheese," Hannah said. "Or fish and chips."

"A girl after my own heart," Will said smiling at Hannah. "Those are my favourites too."

Hannah moved a bit closer to Frankie but looked up at him. "They taste really good," she said softly.

"They do," Will said happy that Hannah seemed to be warming to him, if just a little. "And Frankie makes the best."

"You're a good cook too," Frankie said to her husband. "You should try his spaghetti, Hannah. And he makes a really good rosemary chicken."

Hannah nodded and buried her face in Frankie's shoulder.

The game would be starting soon and Frankie looked up at the sky. "That one looks like a bear..."

Hannah stared at her in surprise. "You know that game?"

Frankie nodded. "I do. I used to sit in the backyard when I was a little girl with my sister Allie and we'd make up these stories about the things we'd see in the clouds."

"I used to play that with my mummy," Hannah whispered.

"It's a fun game," Frankie said looking up at the sky again. "What do you think about that one....there...?”

"That looks like..." Hannah squinted. "A big hand reaching out!"

Frankie nodded and tilted her head. "It does!"

"What do you think it's reaching for?" Hannah asked her.

Frankie looked thoughtfully at the clouds and then smiled. "You see that one right beside it? That looks like an ice lolly! I bet it wants to get a treat."

Hannah giggled. "I think you're right."

The owner of the team stood in the middle of the pitch and welcomed the crowd to the first match of the season. Frankie picked up Hannah so she could see better and the two of them watched with the others as the Puddlemere team took to the sky.

"They fly so fast," Hannah was impressed.

"Just you wait until they start the match," Frankie said. She pointed out RJ. "His job is to make sure nothing gets through those hoops."

"Here," Ron handed them an old pair of Omnioculars. "Why don't you try using those Hannah?"

"And you can sit on my shoulders if you like," Will offered. "You'd be able to see really well."

Hannah shook her head. "I'm okay."

"Sure," Will smiled at her.

"I'll sit on your shoulders," Caroline said to Will.

Will grinned. "Come here, Angel."

Caroline blushed as Will picked her up. "I can see everything from here!"

Allison nudged Jon. "She's in seventh heaven right now."

Jon laughed as Emma grabbed onto his arm. "I think Em wants to be up high too."

"Peas?" she asked holding up her arms. "Em want to see RJ!"

"Of course baby," Jon swung her up. "How's that?"

Emma grinned and tapped the top of her father's head. "Em can see!"

"I can't believe that's my little brother out there," Maddie said to her husband.

"The same little boy who used to follow you around saying that he was a fairy, you mean?" Ethan joked.

Maddie laughed. "Exactly..." her eyes caught sight of a vendor. "Ethan will you go get me some crisps?"

"You want anything else?" he asked reaching into his trousers pocket for his wallet. "I don't want to be getting up every five minutes to get you another snack..."

"Whatever you think I might need," she said sweetly.

Frankie laughed. "Train him well Mads."

"Anyone else want anything while I'm up?" Ethan asked after shooting a look at Frankie. "Anyone other than Frankie."

"Gee thanks a lot wanker," Frankie said, forgetting that Hannah was right there next to her.

"Mister Ron," Joey said trying to get Ron's attention. "Mister Ron!"

"Yes Joey?" Ron asked.

"That lady said a bad word," Joey said sweetly. "And you made me go to bed without dessert when I called Zack that."

Ron grinned. "So you're saying I should make Frankie go without dessert?"

"It's only fair," Joey said.

"He can't punish a grown up, dummy," Jenny said, barely taking her eyes off the field.

Joey was about to make a smart remark in response, but he watched as Todd Scanlon flew right past their section in pursuit of the Montrose Seeker.

"WHOA!" Zack shouted happily. "Did you see how close he was?"

"That was wicked!" Joey exclaimed in awe.

Luna gasped when she saw her son block a Quaffle.

"WAY TO GO, RJ!" Ron screamed. "THAT'S MY SON!"

Hannah jumped at the sound of Ron's voice and shrank down in her chair.

"Hannah?" Frankie asked concern etched on her face. "What is it?"

"Loud," Hannah wrapped her arms around herself.

There was the sound of a horn from somewhere near by and Hannah jumped again in her seat.

"Come on," Frankie said softly. "How about I show you my office?"

"Okay," Hannah said quietly.

Frankie told Will that they'd be back in a few minutes and she took Hannah's hand and led her out of the stands and toward the part of the building that housed the administrative offices. Hannah's lower lip was trembling and she looked scared to death.

"Hey sweetheart," she stopped and kneeled down. "Are you going to be all right?"

Hannah wiped her eyes. "Loud and scary up there."

"I'm sorry," Frankie said. "I didn't realise it would be this crazy today."

"It's better down here," Hannah said in a small voice.

"We can go to my office," Frankie said. "We can sort of watch the game from there and it won't be loud."

Hannah nodded. "I'm sorry, Frankie."

"Don't apologise," Frankie hugged the little girl.

Hannah smiled, feeling a little better. She was glad that Frankie was here and that none of the other kids had seen her freak out before.

"Come on in here," Frankie held the door open for her. "I'll turn on the Wireless and we have a great view of the pitch from here."

"This is where you work?" Hannah asked walking inside.

"That's right," Frankie smiled at her.

Frankie pointed to her office and Hannah walked inside. The walls were a pale purple and Hannah grinned.

"You want to sit behind my desk?" Frankie asked.

Hannah nodded eagerly and ran behind the desk.

"This is where you sit every day?" Hannah asked as Frankie turned on the Wireless.

"Sure is," Frankie said walking over to stand beside Hannah. "And those are my pictures. That's Will, of course. And you see Caroline and Emma and Mia. And that's my mum and dad."

"They look really nice," Hannah said tentatively.

"They are," Frankie said fondly. "My dad says I gave him every single grey hair on his head."

Hannah giggled at that.

"There's only one thing missing," Frankie said thoughtfully. "I don't have a picture of you."

"Why do you want that?" Hannah reverted back to her shyness. She still found it hard to believe that all these people seemed to care about her so much.

Frankie put a hand on Hannah's shoulder. "Because I have pictures of the people I care about most in this world on my desk. And you happen to be one of those people, Miss Hannah."

"I am?" she asked, tears in her big brown eyes.

"Yes you are," Frankie said softly.

Hannah swallowed back her tears and nodded. "Maybe we can take a picture tomorrow?"

"I'd like that," Frankie said brushing a strand of hair behind Hannah's ear. "And a picture of our new garden, too!"

The little girl gave her a trembly smile. "Okay."

Hannah looked at some of Frankie's papers and grinned when she was a glossy magazine underneath a file.

"What are you looking at?" Frankie asked.

"Magazine," Hannah said holding it up.

"You like magazines?" Frankie perched on the edge of her desk.

Hannah nodded. "My mummy and I used to look at them."

"What's your favourite thing to look at?" Frankie smoothed back her hair.

"I don't really remember," Hannah said thoughtfully. "I just remember cuddling up next to Mummy on the sofa and we'd look at the pictures and she'd read to me."

"I mostly read fashion magazines," Frankie said.

"Like this one?" Hannah asked flipping through the pages.

"That's one of them," Frankie smiled.

"Can you read some of it to me?" Hannah asked softly.

"Sure," Frankie took it. "I don't know how interesting it could be..."

"It doesn't matter," Hannah said smiling at Frankie.

"Let's go sit on the sofa there," Frankie indicated it. "That way we can watch the game too."

Hannah beamed at her. "Okay..."

"You have such a pretty smile Hannah," Frankie commented.

"Really?" Hannah asked. Her mother used to say the same thing to her.

"Just gorgeous," Frankie replied.

Hannah settled down on the sofa beside Frankie. They both took a look out the big window to see the match still going on. Hannah picked up the magazine and turned the page to an article with a tall woman wearing an elegant set of dress robes. "That one."

"You like those?" Frankie asked. "I have a set that's kind of like them."

Hannah nodded. "What's that say?"

Frankie looked thoughtfully at the page. "It says that dressing well doesn't mean breaking the bank."

Hannah was confused. "I don't know what that means..."

"It means that you don't have to spend a lot of money to wear pretty things," Frankie explained. "You see that first set of robes? You can buy those at Gladrags for nearly ten thousand galleons. Well, not everyone has that kind of money, do they? That set there can be found at Madam Malkin's for under 100 galleons. And they look just the same, don't they?"

Hannah nodded.

"I'm really good at finding bargains," Frankie said proudly.

"I like what you wear," Hannah said shyly.

Frankie smiled. "Thank you, Hannah."

"When I grow up I want to dress just like you do," Hannah continued.

"You already have a really good eye," Frankie said. "You put your outfits together really well."

"I do?" Hannah asked. "Really?"

"You do," Frankie said nudging her.

Hannah blushed happily.

They spent the next half hour reading over some of the articles. Hannah collapsed into giggles when Frankie read her the love advice column. They were having so much fun, they didn't even notice that the match had finished until they heard a tapping on the door.

"You said you were going to be right back," Will teased.

"Will," Frankie got up. "Sorry- we got caught up in reading about Miss Hannah's love life."

Will chuckled. "Really?"

"Who won?" Frankie asked as Hannah came up beside her and took her hand.

"Puddlemere," Will replied. "RJ played really well. Final score was 190-0."

"That's fantastic!" Frankie exclaimed. "I'm so proud!"

"Everyone's heading on to the Burrow," Will said. "Will you two lovely ladies care to join me?"

"What's the Burrow?" Hannah asked hesitantly.

"That," Frankie said. "Is Ron's parents' home. It's really nice and homey and they have a big backyard."

"Is Caroline going to be there?" Hannah asked.

Frankie nodded. "Yes, and you'll even get to meet Luna's other daughters, Drew and Darla."

"Okay," Hannah said tentatively.

"And you'll eat really well too," Will told her. "Ron's mum is the best cook."

Hannah looked up at him. He was so nice but she was still unsure about trusting him.

"We can take the magazine too," Frankie said throwing it in her bag. "We want to find out what Witch Matilda tells Lonely in Leeds about her cheating ex-boyfriend, right?"

Hannah's smile returned. "Uh huh."

"Lonely in Leeds?" Will asked bemusedly.

"You don't want to know," Frankie gave her husband a kiss.

"Let's go," Will said smiling at her. "I'm starving."

"Are you ready sweetheart?" Frankie asked Hannah.

"I just need to get my cloak, Mummy," Hannah said without thinking.

Frankie froze for a moment. "Um... I think its right over there..."

Hannah looked over her shoulder. "Can I go to the bathroom, first?"

When Frankie didn't answer, Will nodded. "It's right through that door, Hannah. We'll wait for you right here."

Once the little girl had gone, Will looked at his wife. "Frankie I don't think she did that intentionally..."

"She...she called me Mummy," Frankie said softly.

"Yeah," Will nodded. "That kid loves you Frankie."

Frankie nodded. She wasn't freaked out by what Hannah had said, but she was freaked out by how not freaked out she was about it.

"Hey," Will said softly. "Are you okay?"

Frankie shook her head. "I don't know, Will. I just..."

"You mean a lot to that little girl," Will said, taking her hand.

"She means a lot to me," Frankie said softly. "I just want to make her happy and keep her safe."

"Are you going to push her away because she called you Mummy?" Will asked her directly.

Frankie stared at him in disbelief. "No! Of course not! How could you ask such a thing?"

"I know you Frankie," Will said. "And you know how much I love you, but you've told me yourself that you're not one for kids."

"I wasn't," Frankie admitted. "But she's not just any kid, Will. She's this amazing little girl."

"Yes she is," Will nodded. "I know I've told you before, but I'm really proud for what you've done for her Frankie."

"Really?" Frankie asked.

"Absolutely," Will touched her cheek.

Hannah picked that moment to come back into the room. "I'm ready to go, Frankie."

"Okay sweetheart," Frankie smiled at her.

Hannah took Frankie's hand. She was getting hungry and she was excited to see Caroline and Emma again.

"Hey Hannah," Will said. "I'll tell you a secret..."

"A secret?" Hannah asked.

Will nodded and leaned over. "Molly Weasley makes the best chocolate chip biscuits in the world. And when she heard you were coming over she made a special batch just for you."

"For me?" Hannah asked. "But she doesn't even know me."

"She doesn't have to," Will replied. "Molly's a wonderful lady who treats everyone like family."

"So let's go try out those biscuits," Frankie said picking up Hannah.

Hannah nodded and chanced a small smile at Will.

"I wonder though if they’re half as good as those biscuits you and Luna made," Will said grinning back at her. "Frankie saved me a couple, you know."

"She did?" Hannah asked.

"He was cross that I didn't have more than two for him," Frankie said with a laugh.

"You liked them that much?" Hannah asked Frankie. "Really, really?"

"Really," Frankie replied. "They were delicious, Hannah."

"Maybe tomorrow we can make some more?" Hannah said shyly. "And we can give some to Will."

"I think that's a lovely idea," Frankie said grinning at her. She knew that this was a big step for Hannah.

"I already can't wait," Will rubbed his stomach.

They arrived at the Burrow a few minutes later finding the party was already in full swing. Luna smiled crossed the room to welcome them.

"I have good news for you, Hannah," Luna said smiling at her. "Your case worker owled me and let me know that a family is really interested in you."

Frankie's smile dropped from her face at Luna's statement. "You mean they want to adopt her?"

"Fingers crossed," Luna said. "They sound like a really lovely family. They have a nice home in Cromarty and the wife is a school teacher."

Hannah looked less than thrilled at this news and Frankie was sure their expressions were matching.

"They're going to come over to the house tomorrow afternoon," Luna said. "And they're---"

"But she's going to be with us tomorrow afternoon," Frankie interjected.

"Frankie I'm sorry," Luna said contritely. "It's the only time they're able to make it."

"But you know we had this planned," Frankie protested. "Luna---"

"Hannah," Will said. "How about you and I go and meet Molly?"

"I don't want to leave Frankie," Hannah said stubbornly.

"Frankie, I'm really sorry," Luna said. "But it was really the only time that the Stewarts could see Hannah."

"Well, she has plans tomorrow," Frankie said. "With me and Will. The Stewarts will just have to wait."

"Frankie," Will said quietly. "If she's got a chance to live in a stable, loving home you have to let her have that option. We have nothing to say about it."

Frankie knew deep down that Will was right, but she had the strangest feeling that Hannah didn't belong on some farm in Cromarty or where ever it was those people were from.

"They really are a nice family," Luna said to Hannah. "They've heard all about you and they can't wait to meet you."

Hannah didn't smile or look thrilled at all. Instead, she clung tighter to Frankie and buried her face in her shoulder.

Frankie looked defiantly at Luna. "What if...what if they're not the only ones who want to adopt Hannah?"

Luna blinked. "What are you saying Frankie?"

"Just what I meant," Frankie said. "What if they're not the only ones?"

"Frankie," Will took her arm. "I think we need to talk. Now."

Luna took a reluctant Hannah from Frankie's arms.

"I'll be right back, sweetheart," Frankie promised.

Will led her upstairs to one of the vacant bedrooms. "Just what are you getting at down there?" he asked.

"I can't believe Luna would do something like this," Frankie said shaking her head. "Setting up some meeting with strangers. She knows how Hannah is with people she doesn't know well. And we had plans!"

"Hannah's life doesn't revolve around your plans for the day," Will pointed out. "And I'm sure Luna didn't do it purposely."

Frankie acted as if she hadn't heard him. "And just because someone's a school teacher doesn't mean they'd make a great mother. Hannah doesn't belong with those people..."

"You don't know them, Frankie," Will said.

"That's not the point here Will!" Frankie crossed her arms.

"You mind telling me what the point is?" he asked her.

She shook her head. "She doesn't belong with those people. She belongs with..." her voice trailed off.

"With?" Will asked.

"Us...." Frankie said softly.

"You want us to adopt Hannah?" he asked her.

"I don't know," Frankie sat down. "Will I'm so confused. My life has changed because of meeting that little girl down there."

Will sat down beside her. "I know, Frankie. But you have to be positive about something like this. That little girl has been through too much to have you change your mind in the middle of this. You said yourself that you weren't ready to be a mother..."

"But that was before I met her," Frankie said. "When I'm not with her I wish I was. Hannah's constantly on my mind and I'm always trying to think of ways to make her happy. I've known her for two weeks and already I can't imagine being without her."

Will took her hand. "I know you love her, Frankie. But, are you sure this is what you truly want?"

Frankie pressed her lips together. The question of whether or not her feelings for Hannah were truly maternal had often crossed her mind, but she'd never answered it. "Is it what you want?" she asked softly. "I never even stopped to ask if you were interested in adoption."

"I've never made it a secret that I want children someday," Will said honestly. "But Hannah's been through so much, Frankie. And she's still quite nervous around me. "

"Maybe tomorrow will help," Frankie encouraged. "The three of us can spend the whole day together."

"She's meeting that other family tomorrow," Will reminded her.

"Not if I have anything to say about it," Frankie replied.

"Okay then," Will said smiling at her. "We'll see if Luna can get the Stewarts to reschedule."

"You want this too?" Frankie asked. "Really?"

Will nodded. "I do."

Frankie hugged her husband tightly. "I think I can finally see why you've wanted kids for so long," she admitted.

Will hugged her back. "You ready to go back downstairs then? Try to work your charm on Luna?"

Frankie nodded. “I’m kind of scared,” she confessed. “But we can make this work together right?”

"Of course we can," Will said giving her a quick kiss. "For Hannah."

Frankie held onto him for a moment. "You're so good to me," she said.

Will smiled at her. He still was finding it hard to believe that his wife wanted to adopt Hannah. Just a couple of months ago, she'd been completely against the idea of being a parent and now she was ready to raise a four-year old. But, Will had seen his wife with Hannah and he could tell that they'd made a connection. He just hoped that he too would be able to make a connection with the little girl, who didn't seem quite ready to trust him.

"I'll go talk to Luna," Frankie took his hand. "And if I have to, I'll go see Hannah's case worker."

"It's not going to be easy, Frankie," Will reminded her gently.

"I know," Frankie nodded.

Will led her back downstairs and Hannah looked uncertainly over at them from her perch of one of the sofas. Emma was talking animatedly to her about something, but she couldn't concentrate. She kept thinking about being separated from Frankie and it made her sad.

"Han?" Emma asked.

Hannah turned to look at the younger girl. "Yes, Emma?"

"Han want to play beauty shop?" Emma asked her.

Hannah shook her head. "Maybe later."

"Why not?" Emma cocked her head to the side.

"Just don't feel like it right now, Em," Hannah replied watching as Will and Frankie walked over to Luna. They were talking in hushed tones and Hannah wondered what they were talking about.

"Still Em's best friend?" Emma asked.

Hannah nodded. "Always."

Emma hugged her. "I love you Han."

The only person who had ever told her those words had been her mother. She smiled as she hugged Emma back. "Thanks, Em. I love you too."

"Em hungry," the little redhead announced. "I come back, kay?"

Hannah nodded ad watched as Emma scurried off toward the kitchen only to be swooped up by her Great Uncle George. Never before had Hannah seen something like this. Aunts, uncles, brothers, sisters, cousins and friends all gathered around eating, talking and having a good time.

"Hey," Caroline ambled over and sat down. "Are you okay? You went away during the game and didn't come back."

Hannah nodded. "I just got a little scared since it was so loud."

"I got a little scared when I went to my first game too," Caroline giggled. "Grandpa likes to scream a lot when he's there."

Hannah smiled. "That's what Frankie said, too."

"My aunt Frankie really likes you," Caroline said candidly.

"She does?" Hannah asked hopefully.

Caroline nodded. "I heard my mummy and daddy talking one time and they said Aunt Frankie never wanted kids. But I just heard her tell Grandma that she loves being around you."

"Really?" Hannah asked. She didn't know that Frankie had never wanted children.

Caroline nodded again. "I don't think I was s'posed to hear but I did."

"I-I won't tell," Hannah promised. She looked up to see Frankie and Will heading over toward them.

"Uncle Will!" Caroline squealed.

"Hey there Princesses," Will grinned at them. "Are you having fun, Hannah?"

Hannah nodded and stood up. "I wish we could still have our day tomorrow."

"We're going to try," Will kneeled down in front of them. "Frankie's going to talk to your case worker." They had decided not to say anything to Hannah about possibly adopting her- they didn't want to raise the little girl's hopes if he and Frankie weren't approved.

"And we'll hopefully get the Stewarts to reschedule," Frankie said smiling at Hannah. "I really am looking forward to taking you out shopping, Hannah. And to you helping me in the kitchen..."

Hannah gave her a tentative smile.

Frankie couldn't help herself as she knelt down and enveloped Hannah in a big hug. "You don't have to worry about a thing, Hannah. I promise."

She hugged Frankie back. "I really want to stay with you tomorrow."

"We'll do everything we can to make that happen," Frankie said softly.

"How about we introduce Hannah to Neville and Cho?" Will suggested. "They just walked in..."

"Would you like to meet my parents?" Frankie asked the little girl.

Hannah nodded. "Okay."

"It'll be all right," Frankie assured her. "I've told them all about you."

Hannah hoped that they would like her. She was still a little nervous and shy around new people. Frankie took her hand and led her over to where her parents were standing.

"Sweetheart!" Cho exclaimed giving her daughter a hug. "We missed you at the match!"

"Sorry Mum," Frankie said. "I was in my office for most of the game with Hannah."

Cho nodded in understanding as she took in the sight of the brown-haired girl at her daughter's side. "You must be Hannah. I feel like I already know you since Frankie's talked about you so much."

"Hi," Hannah said shyly.

"My name is Cho," Cho said smiling warmly at her. "And this is Neville. We're so happy to meet you."

Hannah stayed close to Frankie's side and nodded.

"Nice to meet you, Hannah," Neville said smiling at her. He knew from Will that Hannah was a little skittish around men so he didn't want to do anything to make her uncomfortable.

"Hello," Hannah said her voice nearly inaudible. She reminded herself that these were Frankie's parents and seemed to be very kind.

"My granddaughters can't stop talking about you, either," Cho said with a grin. "It's Hannah this and Hannah that...especially from Emma."

"I'm Emma's best friend," Hannah said. "She told me so."

Cho laughed. "She's told us that, too. She thinks you're the best thing since chocolate chip biscuits."

"Which I think I smell as we speak," Neville grinned. "Molly's infamous for her chocolate chip biscuits."

"So's this one," Frankie said touching Hannah’s shoulder.

"I helped Luna make some," Hannah said, still feeling shy but not as scared. "Frankie said they were good."

"Maybe someday we can try them too," Cho said.

"Come on," Frankie told her. "Remember how Will said Molly made you some special biscuits?"

Hannah nodded. "Okay...."

"I'll go with you," Frankie promised.

Hannah was relieved at this and she followed Frankie into the kitchen which was full of people. Emma was sitting at the table, her face smeared with chocolate. A taller boy was talking to Joey and Zack and Hannah recognised him from the photographs she'd seen at Ron and Luna's. That was RJ.

"Hey you," Frankie grinned at her team's new star Keeper. "I heard you played fantastic today!"

RJ grinned proudly. "I did, didn't I?"

Molly put a hand over her heart. "I'm glad I didn't get to see it. It scares me to death watching you boys up there..."

"I had to watch from my office," Frankie replied. "But next game I'll be there front and centre."

"You'd better," RJ said grinning at her. "You too, Nana."

"Oh gracious no," Molly shook her head. "You'll be the death of me RJ, flying around at such breakneck speed."

RJ put an arm around his grandmother. "You're coming to the next match, Nana. You can wear a blindfold while you're there, but you'll be there."

"You're so much like your father," Molly said fondly.

"I'm a better keeper than he was," RJ said.

Frankie laughed and hit his arm. "Don't let him hear you say that!"

"I tell him that all the time," RJ said chuckling.

Molly smiled at Hannah. "Miss Hannah, how are you today?"

"Fine," Hannah couldn't help but like this woman- she seemed so warm and friendly.

"These are my extra special biscuits," Molly said smiling at her as she unveiled a huge platter of biscuits. "Would you like to try one?"

"Okay," Hannah smiled at her as she took one.

Frankie took one as well and laughed at the look on Hannah's face. "You like?" she asked teasingly.

"They're yummy," Hannah replied.

Molly beamed at her. "Thank you, Miss Hannah."

"Nana!" Emma called. "More, peas."

Molly laughed and handed two more biscuits to her great-granddaughter. "Since you asked so nicely..."

Fred came into the kitchen carrying a letter and he waved it in front of RJ's face. "Ronnie Junior....guess what I have here?"

RJ grabbed for it. "Uncle Fred!" he complained.

"Tetchy, Tetchy!" Fred teased holding it out of RJ's reach.

"For Merlin's sake, Fred!" Molly exclaimed in exasperation. "Give that letter to RJ!"

"It's from Lexie," RJ finally snatched it away. He glared at his uncle.

"Probably wants to congratulate her man," Frankie said smiling at RJ.

"I'd rather do that in person," RJ muttered before leaving the kitchen to read the letter in private.

"Who's Lexie?" Hannah whispered to Frankie.

"His girlfriend," Frankie told her.

Hannah nodded and helped herself to another biscuit.

"Aren't those fantastic?" Frankie asked her. "Molly doesn't make these for just anyone."

"They're really yummy," Hannah said.

"And how about some milk to wash them down with?" Molly offered.

"Okay," Hannah said. "Thank you."

Fred walked over to grab one of the biscuits, but Molly swatted his hand away. "Those aren't for you, Fred!"

"But Mum--" Fred began to complain.

"Shut it you," Molly said as she poured Hannah, Frankie and Emma glasses of milk.

"Fred want one?" Emma asked holding out one of her biscuits.

"Thanks Em," Fred replied. "Nice to know that someone cares."

Emma grinned and took it back before Fred could get it. "Em's!"

"Hey!" Fred whined, making Frankie, Emma and even Hannah burst into giggles.

"That was priceless," Frankie giggled as Fred stalked out of the room.

"Em's funny," Emma was obviously pleased with herself.

"Yes you are," Molly said fondly.

Frankie saw her mother walk past the kitchen and she was dying to share her news with someone. She asked Hannah if she'd be okay with Emma for a few minutes.

"I'll be right back, I promise," Frankie said.

"Okay," Hannah said, watching Frankie as she left the room.

Frankie caught up to her mother and took her outside to the backyard.

"What's going on, sweetheart?" Cho asked.

"Will and I want to adopt Hannah," Frankie replied, a huge grin breaking out across her face.

Cho stared at her daughter. "You and Will are what?"

"Nothing's final yet," Frankie said quickly. "And we haven't said anything to her about it yet, but there's another family coming to see her and it just made me realise that she belongs with us..."

"Frankie---" Cho started to say.

"And it's not like I'm just going to change my mind either," Frankie barged on. "I love her Mum. I want to make her the happiest little girl alive."

"You've only known her a short time," Cho said playing devil's advocate. When Frankie glared at her, she put a hand on her daughter's arm. "I'm not doubting your intentions, Frankie..."

"Then what are you getting at?" Frankie was hurt that her mother didn't seem to want to share in her joy.

"I'm just wondering if you've thought this out," Cho said gently. "That little girl has been through quite a lot from what you and Luna have told me."

"I've gotten to know her quite well over the past few weeks," Frankie said defensively.

"And how does Will feel about all this?" Cho asked.

"He's going along with it," Frankie replied. "He wants to get to know her better and that's what we'll do in the time it takes for us to get approved as adoptive parents."

"She does seem like a wonderful little girl," Cho said thoughtfully.

"She is," Frankie replied. "She's beautiful, sweet and sensitive."

Cho smiled. "I'm so proud of you, sweetheart. I really am. I just wanted to make sure that you really wanted this."

"You're proud of me?" Frankie asked softly.

"I am," Cho said nodding. "I always have been."

"Thanks," Frankie hugged her mother. "I'm really scared about all this but thankfully I have Will."

"You'll be a great mother," Cho said.

"I hope so," Frankie said. "I just want to make her so happy."

Cho opened her mouth to respond, but was cut off when the back door opened and Caroline, Emma and Hannah came outside.

"We're going to swing, Grandma," Caroline said. "Will you push us?"

"Sure sweetheart," Cho smiled at them.

Hannah followed the girls over to the giant swing set.

"Gamma push Em!" Emma said struggling to get in her swing.

"All right baby girl," Cho set her inside.

"Want me to push you?" Frankie asked Hannah.

"Please," Hannah replied sitting down in the swing. "Not too high though, okay?"

"Sure," Frankie smiled reassuringly at her.

While Cho pushed Emma in the swing, she watched her daughter interact with Hannah. She marvelled at how gentle and sweet and responsible Frankie seemed around Hannah.

"You just let me know if I start pushing too high okay?" Frankie told Hannah.

"Okay," Hannah said giggling at the feel of the wind through her hair.

Frankie smiled as she pushed the little girl.

"Fun!" Emma squealed as Cho pushed her higher.

"Try to reach the clouds, Em," Caroline said giggling.

"Em touch sky!" Emma said happily. "Han watch!"

Hannah giggled as she watched Emma hold out her little hand and make a grab.

"Almost," Cho said softly.

"I get it Grandma," Emma said.

"Try it now, Em," Cho said giving her a good push.

"I got sky!" Emma screamed happily.

"What did it feel like, Em?" Frankie asked her niece.

Emma thought for a minute. "Nice?"

Caroline giggled. "I bet if felt like a nice fluffy pillow."

Emma beamed and nodded.

"I know what," Caroline said as she kicked off on the ground. "Let's all make a wish, but we can't tell anyone what it is. Because if you tell someone what your wish is, it won't come true."

"Don't you only get to do that on your birthday?" Frankie teased.

"You can do it whenever," Caroline said hastily. "And I think today's a good day."

"Well then I think three wishes are in order," Cho replied.

Caroline smiled. "I'll go first. You make the wish when you go up, okay?"

"Kay Sissy," Emma said, pumping her chubby legs.

As Caroline went up, she closed her eyes and made a wish that when her mummy had Adam, she wouldn't go to sleep.

"Who's next?" Frankie asked.

"Me!" Emma said. "Em go next!"

"Okay then," Cho said giving Emma a good push.

Emma looked up and wished that her grandmother would bake more of her special biscuits very soon.

Frankie smiled. "Okay...Hannah, your turn."

Hannah nodded and when Frankie gave her a push, she wished with everything she had that she didn't have to go live with these other people and that she could stay with Frankie forever and ever.

131. 131!!!

Authors' note: We really are so glad you guys are enjoying the Hannah/Frankie storyline. There's more to come and don't worry if you haven't seen some of the other characters in awhile...they will be back. We're trying to give them all equal time. And for those of you who asked, Joey and Zach are not brothers.

Saffron missed Andrew terribly, but she did have to say that without him here, she was able to concentrate on her studies and she was currently pulling in top marks in all her classes. She knew that they'd only been in school for about three weeks now, but she was off to a good start and she felt good about her chances at Head Girl next year. The only competition she really had was a Ravenclaw named Mary Ellen Ward.

Her friendship with Peter was also growing and she was glad to have her friend back. Peter had even started hanging out with her and Alexa in the library. It was surreal after all that had happened, but she'd told Andrew about it and while he was wary, he was secure in his relationship with Saffron.

That evening, she was studying for the first big test of the year in Charms. They had taken up their usual table in the library and were busy quizzing each other. Saffron looked at her watch.

"I thought Mimi was going to join us."

Beth shrugged. "She's in detention again."

Saffron rolled her eyes. "She's so transparent."

Beth giggled. "She ditched class to stalk our new Headmaster."

Peter laughed. "She's not the only one. I heard Professor Malfoy say that they've never had so many people get in trouble....well, girls, that is."

Saffron shook her head. "He might be dreamy but he's doing a good job so far. My sister told me he's really on top of things."

"I know what I'd like him to be on top of," Beth began only to have Saffron throw her quill at her.

"Beth, he's old enough to be your father," Saffron said laughing.

"But he's gorgeous!" Beth took Saffron's quill and began doodling on her parchment.

Peter sighed. "I've really got to start hanging out with some blokes..."

Saffron laughed at him. "We're better than any bloke."

"And you're getting invaluable information as to the female psyche," Alexa chimed in.

"Just what I always wanted," Peter commented dryly.

Saffron laughed. "All kidding aside...we do really need to study..."

"What do you think he wears?" Beth asked dreamily. "Boxers of briefs?"

"Who?" Alexa asked curiously.

"Duh," Beth said. "Oliver Wood!"

Alexa rolled her eyes. "As if you'd ever get to see them anyway."

Saffron shook her head. "I wasn't kidding when I said we needed to study..."

"Right," Peter agreed. "No more talk of men's underwear please."

"I suppose you'd like to talk about women's underwear instead?" Beth asked.

"Sure," Peter said with a grin.

"I'm about to move to another table," Saffron threatened.

"How about we go over the conjuring spells again?" Alexa suggested. "Aguamenti is sure to be on the test."

"Sure," Saffron replied. "I could use a little practise on that."

Alexa blushed. "The last time I tried it in class, instead of water coming out of my wand, it was mustard."

Saffron giggled at the memory of it.

"Nice," Peter chuckled.

"I was so embarrassed," Alexa said blushing.

"You'll do better this year," Saffron assured her.

"I hope so," Alexa said softly.

She dropped her voice. "Have you heard back from RJ yet?"

Alexa had written to her boyfriend to congratulate him on his first match. And even though he'd told her time and again that he wasn't much of a letter writer, his response had been two pages of pure romance in Alexa's book. She'd stashed the letter under her pillow.

She nodded "He's looking forward to their first road trip."

Saffron grinned. "Hopefully it won't interfere with our first Hogsmeade weekend next month."

"How's Andrew?" Alexa asked.

"Good," Saffron said. "I miss him so much though Lexie."

"I know, but we don't have that long before Hogsmeade," Alexa said. "And we'll listen to his match on the wireless this weekend."

"Right," Saffron nodded. "At least I have studying to help keep my mind off him not being here."

"I keep waiting for them to walk in here and tell us to come up to the common room," Alexa said softly. "Or convince us to go and nick something from the kitchens..."

"They were bad influences," Saffron looked back down at her textbook again.

"Good bad influences," Alexa said with a grin.

"Exactly," Saffron agreed with a sigh.

They spent the next hour going over the conjuring spells and finally decided to call it a night. They said goodbye to Peter and made their way slowly up to the Gryffindor dorms.

"Good evening, ladies," a familiar voice said in a Scottish brogue.

Beth froze and giggled nervously as she turned around. "Good evening Headmaster..." she stammered.

"Curfew is in ten minutes," Oliver reminded them.

"Yes, sir," Saffron said. "We were on our way to the dorms now."

"I had dinner with your parents last night," the headmaster said to Saffron.

"You did?" Saffron asked.

Oliver nodded. "I haven't seen your father in quite some time and your mother wanted to discuss some matters about the school. She's a very smart woman. I see where you get it from, Miss Potter."

Saffron blushed. "Thank you sir."

Alexa watched in horror as Beth leaned back to examine the headmaster's trousers.

"Can I help you with something, Miss Murphy?" Oliver asked.

"No!" Beth squeaked.

"Good evening, ladies," Oliver said before continuing back down the stairs.

"That was really smooth, Beth," Alexa hissed.

"I can't believe you did that," Saffron shook her head. "Beth where is your bloody head?" she grimaced. "Wait- don't answer that."

"I can't help it," Beth said. "He's so different from Professor Dumbledore...he doesn't wear those long, flowing cloaks for one thing..."

Alexa and Saffron shared an amused look.

"You're so lucky, Saffy," Beth said. "He knows your parents!"

"My dad used to play Quidditch with him," Saffron said as they went into the common room.

"And he taught your dad everything there was to know about the game," Beth said.

"Something like that," Saffron said as she dropped her bag next to the sofa by the fire. "Merlin I am exhausted."

"Me too," Alexa agreed. "I can't wait to climb into bed."

"I need someone to carry me up," Saffron giggled.

"We could work on our levitation charms," Beth teased.

"You'd drop me halfway up the stairs if someone said the name Oliver," Saffron returned with a grin.

Beth looked affronted. "Saffy!"

"You know it's true," Alexa said nudging Beth.

"Think your partner in crime is back yet?" Saffron let her hair out of her plait.

"Meems probably ran into him on the way back," Alexa said sinking down onto the sofa. "We'll never see her again."

Beth crossed her arms. "You don't think she'd try and steal him away do you?"

Saffron stared at her incredulously. "Beth? How can she steal something that was never hers?"

Beth turned red. "I meant um... I think I need to go to bed now..." she turned and ran up the stairs.

Alexa and Saffron could only shake their heads.

"They're unbelievable!"

"Tell me about it," Alexa rolled her eyes as Ewan came down into the common room and waved in their direction.

"Hiya, Lex," he said. "Saffron."

"Hey Ewan," Saffron smiled at him. "Ready for Quidditch tryouts?"

"I sure am, Captain," Ewan said smiling back at her.

"You didn't tell me you were trying out," Alexa said. "What position?"

"Beater," he replied. "Or Keeper. I'd play any position as long as I get on the team."

"I can't wait to see you play," Saffron said. "Be there early."

"I will," Ewan promised. He looked shyly at Alexa before heading upstairs.

"I think he still fancies you a bit Lex," Saffron said softly once she was sure he was gone.

"I don't think so," Alexa said thoughtfully.

"Didn't you see how he just looked at you?" Saffron sat up.

"No," Alexa said. "How did he look at me?"

"Like out of the corner of his eye," Saffron said. "And he blushed a bit."

"Oh," Alexa said softly. "Well, I haven't done anything to encourage that."

"I know you haven't," Saffron replied. "You've barely stopped talking about RJ since we got back to school. I haven't heard another bloke's name come out of your mouth."

"Kind of like you and Andrew," Alexa said.

Saffron grinned. "I'm so glad he gave me this. I can see him whenever I want."

"That really is a beautiful locket," Alexa said smiling at her friend.

"Thanks," Saffron said. "I do miss him though. Like I love seeing him in this but it's just no substitute for him actually being here."

Alexa knew all too well how her friend felt. "I think I'm going to go on upstairs. You coming?"

"Yeah," Saffron got to her feet. "I need plenty of sleep for tomorrow's big exam."

"Psst!" they heard someone call out. Alexa and Saffron froze and looked around the room. They were the only ones in the Common Room.

"Where's it coming from?" Alexa asked.

"Saffy, it's me, Andrew," the voice called out again seemingly coming from the fireplace. "Is that you?"

"Andrew!" Saffron squealed.

"I'll see you later," Alexa said excusing herself to give her friends some privacy.

"What are you doing?" Saffron couldn't stop her grin.

"I've never tried this before," Andrew admitted, his face in the flames of the fire. "But I couldn't resist..."

"I miss you a lot," Saffron got to her knees in front of the fireplace. "I think about you all the time Andrew."

"Me too," he said softly. "Congratulations on being named captain, by the way. I knew you'd get it!"

"Thanks," Saffron said with a grin. "I'm holding tryouts in a few days."

"RJ and me are going to be hard to replace," he joked.

"Maybe," Saffron teased. "You will be, at any rate."

"Good answer,” Andrew said. "You look beautiful, you know that?"

"I look tired," Saffron said with a grin.

"Still look gorgeous to me," Andrew said smiling at her.

"You're going to make it for the Hogsmeade weekend next month right?" Saffron asked. "The third weekend of October?"

Andrew nodded. "We don't have a match that weekend so I'm all yours."

"Just the way I like you to be," Saffron giggled.

"I love you, Saffy," he said. "But I have to go..."

"Already?" she pouted.

"I didn't have that long of a connection," he admitted. "I was lucky to get this time actually."

"Okay," Saffron relented. "I love you too. I wish I could kiss you."

"Don't try now," Andrew teased. "You'd get burned and I wouldn't want that."

"I'll just kiss you like this," she pressed her lips to the locket. "And I'll see you next month."

"Night baby," Andrew said before disappearing.

Saffron sighed as she watched him go then got to her feet and headed upstairs.

Alexa had already changed into her pyjamas and was reading in bed when Saffron came into the room.

"You look happy," Alexa teased.

"He's just so sweet," Saffron gushed.

"He is, isn't he?" Mimi asked poking her head out from behind the curtains. "I was a little disappointed that he wasn't going to be in charge of my detention, but I ran into him on my way back and---"

Alexa sighed. "Mimi, we were talking about Andrew, not the headmaster!"

"Oh," Mimi frowned. "Well he's cute too, but nothing like Oliver Wood..."

"He stopped and talked to us too," Beth said her arms folded. "On our way back here."

"Well I bet he spent a longer time talking to me," Mimi replied pertly.

"Will you two please listen to yourselves?" Saffron asked grabbing her pyjamas from her dresser. "He's in his fifties. And while he is cute, you shouldn't be talking about him like he's going to date one of you..."

Both Mimi and Beth glared at Saffron.

"Saffy's right," Alexa said. "Besides, Mimi you told me not two days ago that you fancied Jake."

"Well yeah but--" Mimi began.

"Concentrate on Jake," Alexa counselled.

"You two," Saffron shook her head. "Absolutely crack me up."

"Maybe we have gone a little overboard," Beth admitted.

"A little?" Alexa asked with a grin.

"Okay, a lot," Mimi said. "But we can't help it. All of our male professors are positively ghastly. And then all of a sudden, we get this eye candy as our new headmaster...."

"I guess I can sort of see your point," Saffron conceded.

"We promise to tone it down," Beth said. "We can't all be as lucky as Lexie..."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Alexa asked.

"Well, you have a superstar boyfriend and Ewan still fancies you, not to mention Saffy's cousin," Beth explained.

Alexa rolled her eyes. "Gabe and I are just friends, and I've done nothing with Ewan since the ball last year."

"You should give me tips," Beth said smiling at her.

Alexa tossed her pillow at Beth in response.

"I'm going to go and change into these and brush my teeth," Saffron said holding up her pyjamas. "Don't say anything stupid until I get back, okay?"

"Shut up Saffy!" Beth squealed.

Saffron shook her head as she walked out.

Alexa set aside her book and pulled the letter from RJ out from under her pillow.

She smiled as she read it over again. His words were so sweet.

"...and I was thinking that by the time you finish at Hogwarts, you could move in here with me. Andrew's probably going to have moved out by then and we can have the place all to ourselves..."

Alexa lay her head back against the pillow and closed her eyes, imagining the two of them living together in his flat.

"She is such a tart!" Beth called out breaking Alexa out of her reverie.

"Who are you talking about now?" Alexa asked.

Beth held up a copy of Witch Weekly. "Serena Starr."

Saffron came back into the room and heard Beth's last words. "Ugh I hate her."

"If you thought I was a bubblehead, you should listen to this," Beth said, turning the page back to the article. "While Serena admits her voice is not the best, she knows that she is where she is because of how she looks. 'Anyone can be talented,' the songstress says, 'but not everyone can look like me'."

"She's worse than I ever thought," Saffron said disgustedly. "One night over summer hols when Andrew and I were at home, she came over looking for RJ. We kept telling her he was out with Lexie and she just kept acting as if we hadn't said a thing."

Beth rolled her eyes. "That sounds like her."

Saffron got into her bed. "At least RJ has more sense than to take her seriously," she said to her best friend.

"I know," Alexa said.

"That his letter?" Saffron looked at the pages in Alexa's hand.

Alexa nodded. "I was just reading it again..."

"And again..." Saffron teased.

"Haven't you got it memorised by now?" Mimi asked.

"Sod off you lot," Alexa blushed.

"Good night, guys," Saffron said closing the curtains around her four-poster. "Sweet dreams."

"I know I'll have sweet dreams," Mimi replied coyly.

"About Jake," Alexa said. "Not the Headmaster."

"Maybe about both," Mimi giggled before pulling her own curtains shut.

Saffron unclasped her locket and kissed it before setting it on her bedside table. "Night, Andrew."

*** *** ***

Having finally finished principal photography on his film, Seamus left England and headed back to LA where he'd start preliminary work on his next picture. He also hadn't seen his son since they had all arrived back, even though they talked on the phone quite often.

For all intents and purposes, Gabriel seemed to be adjusting quite well to college life. He said he was enjoying his classes even with all the hard work. Seamus was quite proud of his son and couldn't wait to see him in person.

"I really think we should have called," Lavender said. "It's not that I don't want to see Gabe, but they aren't even expecting us."

"It would spoil the surprise," Seamus said dismissively. "Besides, Margaret said we were welcome anytime, Lav."

"If you say so," Lavender looked out the window as Seamus drove them to Lewis and Margaret's home.

"It'll be fine," Seamus reassured her.

"I have missed him," Lavender said. "I got really accustomed to him being around all the time."

"Me too," Seamus said as he turned the car onto Lewis and Margaret's street. "I wish he'd wanted to move into our house, but I guess I can understand why he wouldn't..."

"He's probably not around all that often," Lavender pointed out. "I mean, he's got to be studying non-stop."

"Probably," Seamus said turning the car into the driveway.

Lavender got out as soon as he parked and straightened her clothes. "I'm looking forward to seeing Lewis and Margaret again too," she said.

"Yeah, let's hope they feel the same way," Seamus said more worried about Lewis than Margaret.

"They'll be happy to see you," Lavender smiled at him.

Seamus rang the doorbell and then took his wife's hand.

A few moments later, Lewis came to the door. When he saw who it was, he frowned.

"Hello Lewis," Lavender put her hand on Seamus's arm. "It's lovely to see you again."

"We weren't expecting you," Lewis said quietly.

"We haven't seen Gabe since we got back," Seamus said quickly. "And thought we'd stop by."

"My grandson is still in classes," Lewis said. "He should be back in an hour or so..."

"Who is it Lewis?" Margaret called.

Lewis looked over his shoulder. "It's Gabriel's father and stepmother, Maggie."

Margaret came into the room. "Seamus!" she exclaimed. "And Lavender- how lovely to see you both."

Lavender stepped past Lewis and into the house. "It's good to see you, too."

"Gabriel's in class," Margaret said. "But you're both welcome to wait."

"Thanks," Seamus said ignoring Lewis' glare. "How's he doing?"

"Wonderful," Margaret said proudly as they sat down. "He's been working so hard, but it's already paying off."

Seamus grinned. "He didn't get that from me. I was rubbish at classes."

"Humph," Lewis grunted.

Margaret shot him a look. "So how long are you in town for?" she asked Seamus.

"I'm here for awhile now," Seamus replied. "I just finished the main shooting for my last film, and I'll be doing the preparation for another."

"Gabriel will be happy to hear that," Margaret said. "Can I get you both something to drink?"

"Lemonade would be lovely, thank you." Lavender smiled. "Can I help?"

"That would be lovely," Margaret said. "That dress is beautiful. Is it one of your designs?"

"One of my newer ones," Lavender nodded. "I'm just putting it on the market."

Margaret smiled and motioned for Lavender to follow her into the kitchen.

Seamus shifted uncomfortably in his seat.

"Gabriel said he met your parents while he was in Europe," Lewis said quietly.

Seamus nodded. "We went over there for dinner a few times."

Lewis muttered something unintelligible.

"I'm sorry, I didn't catch that," Seamus leaned forward.

"Nothing," Lewis grumbled.

Seamus sat back. "Did Gabriel show you the videos of Sam that I found?"

"He did," Lewis replied.

Seamus waited for Lewis to say more but he sighed when the older man stayed silent.

Luckily, he heard the front door open.

"Granddad, I'm home," Gabriel called out. He set his backpack beside the door.

"We're in here," Lewis called back.

Gabriel walked into the living room and froze. "Dad! What are you doing here?"

"Hey," Seamus grinned. "We just got back in town again and I wanted to see you."

Gabriel hugged his father. "How long are you guys here for?"

"We're back for awhile, barring I don't have too many shots that have to be redone in England." Seamus told him.

"How were classes today, Gabe?" Lewis asked.

"Great," Gabriel replied. "I got a hundred percent on my last test."

"That's my boy," Lewis said with a pointed look at Seamus. "I used to help him with his homework all the time, didn't I, Gabriel?"

"Sure Grandpa," Gabriel said. "Those old study habits you taught me really come in handy."

"He picked that up from me," Lewis said with another pointed look at Seamus.

"And Mom," Gabriel said with a laugh.

Seamus's smile faltered a bit. "Right," he said, shoving his hands in his pockets.

"Is Lavender with you?" Gabriel asked.

"She's in the kitchen with Margaret getting drinks," Seamus replied.

"I'm so glad you guys are here," Gabriel said smiling at his father. "I've really missed you."

"I missed you too," Seamus's smile returned. "It's too quiet without you around."

Lewis huffed. "I'm sure Gabe's got loads of work to do..."

Gabriel stared at his grandfather. "I can start it later, Grandpa. I wanted to catch up with my dad."

"I see," Lewis nodded. "Well I have some things to do in the garden..."

Margaret and Lavender came back into the room just in time to see Lewis stalk out of the house.

"What happened?" Lavender asked.

"I'm not sure," Gabriel was baffled at his grandfather's behaviour.

"He's used to being Gabe's father figure," Margaret explained. "This hasn't been very easy on him."

Seamus nodded. "I understand."

"That's no excuse," Margaret said. "I'll go and talk with him."

Lavender hugged her stepson. "It's so good to see you again Gabe."

"You too," Gabriel said hugging her back.

"I heard you're doing well in school," she said as Margaret went outside in search of her husband. "Oh and I have a few letters for you from Saffron and Alexa."

"Oh," Gabriel said in surprise. "Great."

"We were hoping we could talk you into spending Christmas hols with us," Seamus said. "Of course, if you can't--"

"Here?" Gabriel asked.

"We were planning on being in England for some of the time," Lavender said. "But we can pop back and forth if we have to."

"And my parents will disown me if we don't have you there for a little something," Seamus said.

Gabriel nodded. "I'd like to see them again."

"They'll be happy to hear that," Lavender said. "We usually spend a couple of days with Harry and Hermione and my Aunt Elinore and then we head on over to Dublin. You'll have a really great time, Gabe."

"Well my grandmother usually makes quite a feast on Christmas Day," Gabriel said. "Plus I always spend the day here with them."

"Of course," Lavender said. "We wouldn't want to change that, Gabe."

"Thanks," Gabriel said with a grin.

Seamus walked over to the window and could see Margaret and Lewis arguing. He wondered if perhaps there was something he could say. He excused himself and walked out into the garden.

"...they have no right to come in here and think to change things," he heard Lewis saying to Margaret.

"Lewis, Seamus is Gabe's father," Margaret reminded him. "He has every right in the world after all that he's missed out on."

Seamus cleared his throat and Margaret and Lewis stopped talking and turned towards him.

"I was wondering if I might have a quick word with you, Lewis," Seamus said.

Lewis looked as if he wanted to say no but Margaret nudged him. "All right," he relented.

Margaret walked back into the house and Seamus looked thoughtfully at the older man. "I'm not trying to step on your toes here, Lewis."

Lewis grunted and turned to some of his tools.

"He's my son and I'm not going to go away," Seamus continued.

"He talks about you all the time you know," Lewis looked over at him.

"He does?" Seamus asked.

Lewis nodded silently.

"Why don't you like me?" Seamus asked him. "Even before all this, when I was with Sam... You never cared for me. Why?"

"Because I never thought you cared for my daughter the way she cared for you," Lewis said directly.

"I loved Sam," Seamus said defensively. "I cared a great deal for her."

"She thought the sun rose and set on you," Lewis replied. "When you two broke up it was like her world ended."

"I didn't know," Seamus said guiltily. "She cut off all contact with me after that."

"Things looked up when she found out she was pregnant with Gabriel," Lewis said. "But she never wanted to tell you because she didn't want you thinking it was some sort of trap."

"I wouldn't have thought that," Seamus said.

"Yes well you can't tell her that now, can you?" Lewis turned away.

Seamus couldn't help getting angry. "I didn't know, Lewis! She never told me! If you knew me at all, you would know that I never would have let her raise my son alone if I had any idea he existed. She wouldn't have wanted for anything."

"It's too late for any of that," Lewis still wouldn't look at him.

"That's right," Seamus said quietly. "But it's not too late for me to get to know my son. You might not like having me around, but I'm not going anywhere."

Lewis continued to mess around with his tools and Seamus finally turned and headed back for the house.

"Any luck?" Margaret asked when he came back inside.

"Not really," Seamus replied. "Guess it'll just take time."

"He'll come around," Margaret said patting his arm.

"Hope so," Seamus smiled at her. "It's been good to see you again too Margaret."

"It means the world to Gabriel to have you here," Margaret said smiling back at him. "And Sam would have wanted you to be here."

"I'm glad," Seamus gave the older woman a hug.

"And if you'd like to have your mother give me a call," Margaret said. "I can tell her some things about our grandson."

"I'm sure she'd appreciate that," Seamus told her. "Thank you Margaret."

"We're family," Margaret said smiling at him. "No matter what."

"Right," Seamus said with a grin.

"Let's go see our boy," Margaret said. "He was telling Lavender about his classes."

"I can't wait to hear," Seamus agreed, offering her his arm.

Margaret took it and together they walked back into the living room to find Lavender and Gabriel talking animatedly about Gabe's classes.

"Classes at eight o'clock in the morning?" Lavender asked incredulously. "That's barbaric!"

"Almost as bad as my six am calls," Seamus teased.

"I don't get up before nine in the morning ever," Lavender said scrunching up her nose in disgust.

Gabriel laughed. "That beauty rest is doing you good."

"Thank you, Gabe," Lavender said proudly. She reached into her bag and pulled out two envelopes. "From Alexa and Saffy."

"Thanks," Gabriel set them aside to read later.

"That Saffy sounds like a real handful," Margaret said with a grin. "Gabriel said she was something else."

"She's one of a kind," Lavender said. "But she's really very sweet."

"I don't think the world could take more than one of her," Gabriel said dryly.

"Shall I tell her you said that?" Lavender teased.

Gabriel shook his head. "I value breathing."

Seamus had a good laugh at that. "You learned well over there."

Gabriel grinned. "Well, that was something I learned very quickly, Dad."

"Aye," Seamus agreed. "So tell me more about your classes."

Gabriel told his father about his course load and some of the labs he'd taken part in over the first month of classes.

"So you've been really busy," Seamus nodded. "But I'm glad you're doing well. I just wish we could see you more."

"Well, it would be easier if my father wasn't off shooting films and rubbing elbows with celebrities," Gabriel teased.

"Like Laurie Hamilton?" Seamus returned with a grin. "She asked about you the other day."

Gabriel blushed. "No way..."

"Uh huh," Seamus laughed. "Wanted to know if you were coming back to visit."

"Wow," Gabriel said his cheeks turning an even brighter shade of red.

"Yes, but she's no Alexa O'Leary or Danielle Weasley," Lavender teased.

"Who are all these girls?" Margaret asked. "Gabriel?"

"You didn't tell her?" Lavender asked her stepson. "Gabriel!"

"There's nothing to tell!" Gabriel was even redder.

Lavender laughed. "Well, Margaret. Your grandson was quite the player this past summer. Alexa is my niece Saffron's best friend. She's the sweetest girl and she and Gabriel became really close. The bad thing is, she already has a boyfriend. And Danielle is a rather upfront, forward girl who is the niece of one of my good friends."

"Lav," Seamus said. "This isn't a soap opera."

"It kind of was like one actually," Lavender said waving her hand at her husband.

"It wasn't exactly like that," Gabriel muttered. "We were just friends, and I only met Danielle at the wedding."

"Well, that letter she sent to you seems awfully thick," Lavender said with a wink.

"It's probably just some pictures," Gabriel replied.

"You'll have to forgive Lavender," Seamus said to Margaret. "She seems to fancy herself a matchmaker."

"I've done it before," Lavender said defensively.

"She was also married twice before me," Seamus explained.

"They didn't count," Lavender hissed. "Honestly!'

"You were married twice?" Gabriel asked interestedly.

"Sort of," Lavender said in a voice barely above a whisper.

"It's not something we bring up a lot," Seamus nudged his wife.

"Everyone makes mistakes," Lavender said blushing. "And those were two of my biggest ones."

"But she more than made up for it when she got back with me," Seamus said with a grin.

"Grandpa," Gabriel said looking up to see Lewis standing in the doorway.

"I think they should go," Lewis said angrily.

"Lewis," Margaret stood up. "Don't be rude to our guests."

"He was off reuniting with her while Samantha was trying to raise their son," Lewis said folding his arms. "I was against this from the start. Now, I see I was right."

"Perhaps we should go," Lavender said looking uncomfortably at her husband.

Gabriel couldn't understand why his grandfather was being so stubborn about him getting to know his father better.

"Get out of my house," Lewis said walking over to the door. "I don't ever want to see either of you in here ever again."

"Grandpa!" Gabriel exclaimed.

"Lewis--" Seamus held a hand up.

"You keep going on and on about what Samantha would want," Lewis retorted. "As if you would know. As if either of you would ever know!"

"Grandpa stop," Gabriel said. "If Dad had known about me I know he would have been around more. I don't hold any of this against him, or Mom, or you or Grandma... so let's not argue about it okay?"

"You're going to have to get used to this," Margaret told her husband. "And I think I would have known what Samantha wanted. If she never wanted them to get to know each other, she never would have told Gabriel about him in the first place."

"If she wanted them to know each other then she'd have had them meet while she was still alive," Lewis retorted. "I'm going upstairs."

"If they're not welcome here, then neither am I," Gabriel stood up.

"Gabriel!" Margaret gasped.

"I'm sorry, Grandma," Gabriel said. "But if Grandpa can't accept my dad, I don't think I should be here."

"That's not what I meant Gabe," Lewis said.

"Then what did you mean?" Gabriel asked.

"He didn't treat your mother the way he should have," Lewis replied.

"Mom said he was a good man who treated her very well," Gabriel said remembering the conversation he'd had with his mother at the hospital. "And that she loved him with all her heart."

"But--" Lewis began when Margaret interrupted.

"You know that's not true Lewis," she had tears in her eyes. "Our Sam was so happy with Seamus. Their break up wasn't a bad one."

"Maggie," Lewis said his voice breaking.

"You know I'm right," Margaret said.

Lewis put his arms around his wife and hugged her tightly.

Gabriel exchanged a look with his father. "Mind if I talk to them alone?" he asked.

"Of course not," Seamus said. "We'll just be outside."

"Thanks," Gabriel replied.

"Listen to your grandson," Margaret said once they were alone.

"It's just hard," Lewis said. "He was always gone when Sam needed him."

"That's not true," Margaret argued. "He made her very happy, Lewis. Gabe, I can still remember the look on her face when she told me about this man she'd met at work. I'd never seen her eyes light up like that."

"He made her happy when he was around," Lewis replied.

"They lived together, Lewis," Margaret said quietly. "And the nature of his job did keep him away a lot."

"Look," Gabriel said. "What's done is done. I love my dad and I want him around. But I love you both as well. I don't like having you all fight."

"I don't want to see you get hurt, Gabe," Lewis told his grandson.

"I'm not going to," Gabriel told him.

"So I guess I'll have to get used to him being around," Lewis said quietly.

"It'd be nice if you did," Gabriel replied. "I still love you Grandpa. You did so much for me while I was growing up. I couldn't ever forget that."

Lewis stepped forward and gave his grandson a hug. "I'm sorry, Gabe."

"It's okay Grandpa," Gabriel said.

"You're not going to move out then?" Margaret asked her grandson.

Gabriel shook his head. "I like living here. No laundry for me and no food out of a can."

Lewis laughed. "That's my reason for living here, too."

"I wish I could say the same," Margaret hugged her grandson.

"Thanks, Grandma," Gabriel said. "Dad and Lavender wanted to take me out to dinner. I shouldn't be out late."

"You have a good time," Margaret fussed with his hair.

'Grandma," Gabriel said rolling his eyes. "Are you ever going to stop doing that?"

"Don't count on it," Lewis said. "She still does it to me."

Gabriel said a quick goodbye to his grandparents and then stepped out onto the porch where his father and stepmother were waiting.

"Everything okay?" Seamus asked him.

"Yeah," Gabriel nodded. "Grandpa's not going to object to you guys coming around."

Seamus smiled in relief. "That's great, Gabe."

"Where are we going for dinner?" he asked. "I'm starved."

"I am dying for some sushi," Lavender replied.

"NO!" both Seamus and Gabriel chorused.

"You know Japanese restaurants serve other things besides sushi," Lavender pointed out. "Seamus you could get that Teriyaki Chicken you love so much..."

"But watching you eat it is almost as disgusting," Seamus complained.

"Where do you want to go then?" Lavender asked in exasperation. "In-N-Out Burger?"

"Yeah," Gabriel nodded. "That sounds really good."

"It's got my vote too," Seamus grinned at his wife. "Two against one. You're out of luck, Lavender."

"Sod you both," Lavender frowned. "I can't even get a decent salad there."

"I've known you to eat one of those burgers before," Seamus said to his wife.

"A long time ago," Lavender argued.

"How about California Pizza Kitchen?" Gabriel suggested.

"Good idea Gabe," Seamus replied. "The one across town is nice and I don't get mobbed too often there."

"That could be doable," Lavender said thoughtfully. "They have a great tomato and basil pizza that I like."

"Then we're agreed," Seamus unlocked the car,

Gabriel climbed in the back and pulled the letters from Saffron and Alexa out of his pocket. He was a little nervous about Alexa's, but like Lavender had said the envelope was thick.

"Dear Gabe:

I hope that you are doing well and that you're not studying too hard. Saffy and I have a really heavy course load this year. Easy for her, but not so easy for me.

You remember how we talked about the stories and poems that I've written? I'm enclosing a couple of them.

No one's ever seen them before, other than my mom. I've never even shown them to Saffy or RJ.

If you decide to read them, be honest with me on what you think. I can't talk to you on the phone from school, but your letter would mean a lot to me.

Saffron also gave me a couple of pictures of you and me from the wedding. I thought you might like a copy, even though you insisted you didn't really catch the garter.

He smiled when he saw the pictures- and to his amazement, they actually moved. He and Alexa were smiling at each other and talking quietly.

He picked up the letter again.

Saffron mentioned that you might be around for Christmas hols and I really do hope to see you then. No matter what happened, you do have friends here and I'm proud to consider myself one of them. I hope you think so too.

Take care,

Lexie

He looked out the window as they rolled along down the streets. Despite her still being with RJ, Gabriel had to admit he still cared about her a lot.

"Good letter?" Lavender asked.

"What?" Gabriel asked. "Oh... yeah. She just sent me a few pictures from the wedding." he passed them up.

Lavender squealed when she saw them. "Gabe! You two look adorable!"

"Lavender," Seamus warned.

"In a completely platonic, just friends kind of way," Lavender added on hastily.

"Thanks," Gabriel said dryly.

"I'm trying," Lavender said handing the photos back to Gabriel.

"It's all right," Gabriel shrugged. "I'm glad I met her."

"And you never know what could happen," Lavender said looking over at her husband.

Seamus sent her another warning glance. "Lav," he said.

"Well you and I didn't work out to begin with and we went our separate ways," Lavender pointed out. "I never imagined that we'd get back together and look at us now."

Seamus took her hand. "Things couldn't get much better could they?"

Lavender beamed at him. "I don't see how."

Gabriel watched them and hoped that someday he'd have something like that.

132. 132

Another scene with just Hannah- a lot of you guys were asking for more :)

Although… we daresay you all will enjoy the next chapter. Let’s just say it involves a certain brunette on a certain Hogsmeade visit whose perfect boyfriend shows up…

Review! ;)

Hannah's caseworker wasn't able to reschedule her visit with the Stewarts and a sullen Hannah left the Weasley house that morning with her case worker. She'd eaten lunch with the Stewarts, who seemed pretty nice, but they weren't Frankie. Mrs. Stewart had tried everything in her power to try and connect with Hannah, but the little girl hadn't said more than two words to her the entire day.

The caseworker thought a trip to the park would help them bond, but Hannah just sat off by herself, unwilling to make any attempt at conversation. The caseworker dropped her off at the Weasley house and Hannah was looking forward to seeing Luna. Mrs. Weasley had been very nice to her and she felt safe with her.

Hannah took off her jacket and handed it to the caseworker who hung it up on the coat rack. "Mr. Weasley? Mrs. Weasley?" the caseworker called out.

Ron came out of the kitchen carrying a mug of coffee. "Hi, Mrs. Roman. Hannah. How'd it go?"

Hannah only shook her head. "I want to go to the garden."

"Okay," Ron said smiling at her. "Luna took the other kids to the park. You just let me know if you need anything."

Hannah nodded listlessly and walked toward the back door.

"How'd it go?" Ron asked Mrs. Roman.

"Not too well I'm afraid," Mrs. Roman shook her head. "I wish we could get through to her."

"She's become really close to Frankie Barron," Ron said.

Mrs. Roman nodded. "She came by to see me yesterday afternoon."

"She can be a bit stubborn," Ron told the woman. "But she and her husband are good people and they really do care about Hannah."

"Frankly, I'm just glad that she's connected with someone," Mrs. Roman replied. "I've been worried about her."

Ron nodded. "Us, too. She's been through so much."

"I've scheduled a meeting with Mrs. Barron and her husband in a few days," Mrs. Roman said. "And we'll start the process of checking them out."

"I think you'll find that they'd make good parents," Ron said loyally. "I've known Frankie since the day she was born."

"I hope you're right," Mrs. Roman smiled at him. "I've got to be getting back to my office now."

Ron showed the woman to the door. "We'll be in touch, Mrs. Roman."

"Definitely," the woman answered. "Give my regards to Luna."

"I will," Ron promised. After Mrs. Roman had gone, Ron walked over to the window to check on Hannah. The girl was walking around the garden looking at the flowers. It was chilly outside so Ron grabbed her coat and headed outside to check on her.

"Hannah?" he called out.

Hannah looked over at him silently.

"It's cold out," Ron said handing her the coat. "You should put this on, sweetheart."

"Okay," Hannah said quietly.

Ron could tell she wanted to be alone. "I'll just be right on the deck, Hannah. If you need me..."

Hannah nodded and turned away, pulling her hair out from under her coat.

If things had gone the way they were supposed to today, she would have spent the entire day with Frankie. They were going to plant flowers in the garden and go shopping to buy things for dinner.

She was so involved in her thoughts that she didn't notice the raised stone in the path. Hannah pitched forward, falling on her hands and scraping up her knees.

Ron heard her screams and came running out of the house. "What happened, Hannah?"

When the little girl didn't answer, he scooped her up in his arms and carried her back inside. "It's okay....it's going to be okay..."

"I fell," Hannah bawled. "I fell and it hurts a lot."

Ron set her down on the kitchen counter. "Stay right there. I'm going to get a rag to wash off the dirt and gravel from your knee. And then we'll rub some salve on it. You'll be good as new."

Hannah gulped back a few sobs and nodded.

Ron came back a few moments later with a warm rag and the bottle of salve from the cabinet. "I am an expert at cleaning up scraped knees," Ron told her with a grin. "If I had a galleon for every time one of my kids fell or tripped...well, I'd be a millionaire."

Hannah's lower lip trembled as Ron gently cleaned up her wound.

"Did you get hurt anywhere else other than your knee?" Ron asked her.

"My hands," Hannah whimpered. Her palms were scraped up a bit from where she'd tried to catch herself.

"Hold them out," Ron instructed gently. Hannah did so, and Ron gingerly rubbed the rag over her hands. "Better?"

"A little," Hannah looked at him shyly.

Ron rubbed some salve on her hands. "This should help with the stinging."

Hannah nodded. "I fell over a rock."

"Ouch," Ron said grimacing. "That's not good."

Hannah shook her head.

"Do you know that when I was a kid," Ron told her. “My older brother dared me to climb up the big oak tree in our backyard. Well, I made it to the top branch, but I made the mistake of looking down...."

"What happened?" Hannah asked him.

"Well, I decided to climb back down," Ron told her. "And I nearly made it, but I lost my footing and fell right on the ground. Broke my arm pretty bad."

"You broke it?" Hannah's eyes were wide.

Ron nodded. "And it hurt really bad. I didn't even know it was possible to cry that much, but I cried and cried."

"What did your mummy and daddy do?" Hannah asked. "Did your daddy tell you that you were bad for falling?"

Ron shook his head. "Well, my mum ran outside with my dad and they brought me back into the house. Then, they took me to hospital. They took care of me."

"Oh," Hannah said as he rubbed some salve into her wound.

"No one in this house will ever tell you that you were bad for falling out of a tree or for scraping your knee," Ron told her. "I guarantee it."

Hannah chanced a small smile at him.

"How's your knee?" Ron asked her.

"Better," Hannah said softly. "Thank you."

"Good," Ron said smiling at her. "And I've forgotten the most important step."

"What's that?" she asked.

Ron walked over to the icebox. "Well, whenever one of us would get hurt, my mum would set us down with a bowl of ice cream. Chocolate or strawberry, Hannah?"

"I get to have ice cream?" Hannah asked. "Really?"

"Really, really," Ron said with a grin.

"I really like chocolate," Hannah said shyly.

"Me too," Ron said taking the carton from the icebox.

Hannah watched him scoop the ice cream into bowls. "You're nice to me," she said softly.

Ron smiled. "You make it easy."

"I do?"

"Yes you do," Ron said setting the bowls aside to help Hannah off the counter.

Hannah let him put her down. "Thank you," she said when he handed her the bowl.

"You're quite welcome," Ron said sitting down at the table with her.

Hannah ate her ice cream in relative silence. "Is Luna coming back soon?"

"She should be," Ron replied. "If Zack, Jenny and Joey don't wear her out. I'm afraid until she gets back, it's just you and me and Caitlin."

"That's okay," Hannah said softly.

"So," Ron said. "You and I have never really talked one on one. What sorts of things do you like to do for fun?"

Hannah shrugged. "I like playing with the dolls Frankie gave me."

"What else?" Ron asked her.

"My mummy used to read to me," Hannah said thoughtfully.

Ron nodded. "You miss her don't you, sweetheart?"

She nodded. "A whole lot. I wish Daddy didn't make her go away."

Ron took the little girl's hand and patted it. "Your father did a bad thing, Hannah."

"He used to say it was my fault for making him," Hannah whispered.

"None of that was your fault," Ron told her, biting down his anger at her father. "You should never, ever think that. You did nothing wrong and your mum wouldn't want you to think that you did. She knows how much you loved her and she wants you to know how much she loved you."

Hannah's eyes filled with tears and she began to cry again.

Ron opened his arms and Hannah didn't hesitate as she let him hold her. "It's okay, Hannah."

Hannah sobbed for several minutes before she began to finally calm down.

She lifted her head from Ron's shoulder and saw where her tears had stained his shirt. "I'm sorry, Mister Ron."

"It's all right sweetheart," he said soothingly.

"I wish my daddy had been like you," Hannah said softly.

"Thank you," Ron stroked her hair back. "You remind me of my little girls."

"You had three girls and three boys," Hannah said looking up at him.

"That's right," Ron smiled at her.

"And I have Drew's old room," Hannah said. "She has a lot of books."

"She liked to read when she was younger," Ron told her.

"Does she still like to read?" Hannah asked.

"Sometimes," Ron said. "Now that she's going to have her own baby I'm sure she'll have more time to do that again."

"Emma and Caroline said that you liked to read to them," Hannah said. "They said you do good voices."

"Would you like me to read you something?" Ron offered. "I'd be happy to do a story for you."

Hannah nodded. "If you don't mind..."

"I don't mind a bit," Ron picked her up. "These empty bowls can wait until we're done."

Hannah smiled. "Which one of the stories was Drew's favourite?"

"Hmmm..." Ron looked at the selection of books. "She always liked stories about princesses and dragons."

Hannah sat down on the bed. "You can pick one, Mister Ron."

"I want you to pick," Ron replied. "Whichever one you want, and it doesn't even matter how long it is."

Hannah stood up and walked over to one of the bookshelves. She finally picked one out and handed it over to Ron. "This one?"

"Ah, one of my favourites as well," Ron said with a grin.

Hannah smiled back at him. "Goodnight, Moon."

"You can read that sweetheart?" Ron asked in amazement.

Hannah shook her head. "My mummy used to read it to me. I remembered what it looked like. I'm glad Drew had it."

"Me too," Ron tucked her hair behind her ear.

Ron and Hannah sat down on the bed and Ron started to read. Hannah smiled as she looked at the vivid pictures and listened to Ron read.

It was how Luna found them when she came back from the park. "Hi you two." she said, her smile getting bigger as she saw Hannah curled up next to her husband.

"Mister Ron read to me," Hannah said softly. "He does the voices."

"Aye he does great voices," Luna said. "How did your lunch go sweetheart?"

"Not so good," Hannah replied.

"I'm sorry to hear that," Luna said.

Hannah shrugged.

"We just finished reading Goodnight, Moon," Ron told his wife. "After we had a nice bowl of ice cream, right Hannah?"

"After I fell," Hannah nodded.

"Fell?" Luna asked in alarm.

"In the garden," Hannah replied. "Mister Ron fixed my knee up for me."

"He's quite good at that," Luna said stepping further into the room. "Are you doing okay, Hannah?"

"I'm okay now," Hannah nodded.

Luna smiled. "That's good, sweetheart. The other kids really wore me out at the park."

"Is Frankie going to come over tonight?" Hannah asked hopefully.

"I'm not sure," Luna replied. "Perhaps..."

"Really?" she asked happily. "Even though I couldn't stay there today?"

Ron mussed Hannah's hair. "Seems like there's loads of people who want to hang out with you, Hannah."

Hannah blushed and sent him a shy little grin.

Luna watched in amazement at how Hannah was interacting with Ron. She'd been a little hesitant to leave Hannah with Ron, but she'd figured she'd be back before Hannah returned from her outing with the Stewarts. Now, she saw that she had no reason to worry.

"Why don't we send Will and Frankie an owl and see if they're home," Ron suggested. "And if they are, perhaps you can go over for the rest of the afternoon and evening?"

Hannah's eyes lit up. "Really, really?"

Ron chuckled. "Sure."

"I'll go do that now," Luna smiled at the young girl. "I'm happy to see you smile like that sweetheart."

Hannah blushed. "Thanks, Luna."

"You're very welcome," Luna said before heading out of the bedroom.

Ron closed the book and put it back on the bookshelf. He was about to head out of the room when Hannah stopped him.

"Yes sweetheart?" he asked when she tugged on his shirt.

Hannah looked shyly at him. "T-thank you, Mister Ron."

"For what?" he asked curiously.

"Being nice," Hannah replied smiling tentatively up at him.

"I told you, you don't have to thank me for that." Ron kneeled down. "It's what I'm here for. I'm glad we had the chance to bond a bit."

Hannah nodded and put her arms around his neck. She'd never willingly hugged a man before. Once she'd tried with her father, but he'd pushed her away.

Ron gave her a kiss on the cheek. "You're a very special girl Hannah. Don't ever forget that."

Hannah smiled at him and then watched as he walked out of the room. She still found it hard to believe that all these people were being so nice and kind to her. She walked over to her dresser and pulled out the picture she'd worked on since last night for Frankie. It wasn't much, she knew, and she wasn't very talented, but it was a rainbow and some clouds in a bright blue sky. She hoped that Frankie would like it and maybe hang it up in her office.

"Hannah?" Luna knocked lightly on the door frame. "I just sent the owl, so I'll let you know when they write back, okay?"

Hannah turned around. "Okay."

"What have you got there?" Luna asked.

Hannah thought about slipping it back into the drawer, but Luna had already stepped closer.

"A picture I made for Frankie," Hannah said handing it to Luna.

"Would you mind if I saw it?" Luna asked.

Hannah shook her head. "It's not very good."

"All right then," Luna didn't push her.

"No," Hannah said quickly. "You can look at it. I just don't think it's very good is all."

Luna examined the picture. "I think this is lovely," she said honestly.

"Really?" Hannah asked, a small smile playing at her lips.

"Absolutely," Luna nodded. "And I think Frankie's going to be so happy when you give it to her."

"You think so?" Hannah asked hopefully.

"Are you finished?" Luna asked. "I can help you make a frame for it."

"A frame?" Hannah asked. "You can do that?"

"With a bit of magic," Luna nodded.

Hannah grinned. "Okay."

Luna took the little girl's hand. "I can't wait to see Frankie's reaction." she smiled.

"Me too," Hannah said as she followed Luna into her bedroom. "You're really sure she'll like it?"

"I'm positive," Luna told her. "Now let me see... let's find something really fun to make a frame. It needs to be colourful just like this picture."

"Yeah," Hannah agreed.

Luna pulled an empty frame out of her closet. "I think we can make this match..." she said. "How about we put some glitter on it? Make it nice and sparkly?"

Hannah nodded excitedly.

Luna and Hannah brought the frame downstairs along with some glue and glitter. "I'll let you make this," she said, covering the glass part.

"Make what?" Jenny came into the kitchen. "Oooh that's a pretty picture!"

Hannah stared at Jenny. "You think so?"

"Did you make that?" Jenny asked her.

Hannah nodded. "I used my crayons."

"It's really nice," Jenny was impressed. "Are you making a frame for it?"

"Luna is," Hannah said shyly. "I was going to give it to Frankie."

"Can I help decorate it?" Jenny asked. "I promise not to be messy."

"Sure," Hannah replied. She and Jenny sat down at the kitchen table and watched as Luna placed some art supplies on the table. Luna smiled as she watched her two foster daughters chat with each other. The two girls didn't have that much in common, but it was nice to see them being friendly with each other.

"I was going to make it sparkly," Hannah said.

"Glitter is really cool," Jenny said.

The two girls worked steadily on the frame for an hour and by then they'd received an owl back from Frankie and Will.

"They're ready for you," Luna said. "I thought I'd floo you over."

Hannah smiled happily. "Thank you for helping me Jenny," she said to the other girl.

"It was fun," Jenny said waving at Hannah. "Have fun, Hannah."

"Bye," Hannah looked at Luna.

"Okay, sweetheart," Luna said picking up the frame and handing it to her. "You remember how we travel by floo right? You just hold onto my hand the whole time. Okay?"

"Okay," Hannah nodded, holding her gift carefully under her arm.

Luna led the way over to the fireplace and with her free hand grabbed some floo powder from the jar on top of the mantle.

Hannah closed her eyes as they were whisked away to Frankie's house. She was excited to see what it was like there.

Frankie and Will were putting the finishing touches on the makeshift dinner they'd thrown together. It wasn't much and Frankie wished they'd had more time to plan.

"Quit being so nervous," Will told his wife. "She's going to love it."

"What if those Stewarts were really great people and she wants to live with them?" Frankie asked suddenly.

"I'm sure we'll find out in a few minutes," Will caught her hands in his. "And it's something we might have to face."

Frankie shook her head. "She belongs with us."

"I think we're going to be all right," Will touched her cheek. "I hope she'll open up to me a bit."

"She will," Frankie said. "Just be patient with her."

"Frankie," Luna called out from the sitting room. "We're here."

Will gave his wife a quick kiss. "Come on." he said.

Frankie took his hand and they walked into the sitting room to find Luna and Hannah.

"Hiya," Frankie said smiling at Hannah. "Come here, my sweet girl!"

Hannah ran into her arms. "I missed you a whole lot!"

Frankie hugged her tightly. "I missed you a whole lot, too."

"I made you a present," Hannah said shyly.

"You did?" Frankie asked smiling at her. "I love presents."

Hannah held out the framed picture in front of her, hoping feverishly that Frankie would like it.

Frankie smiled as she looked at the frame picture. "Oh, Hannah..."

"Do you like it?" she asked nervously. "Really, really like it?"

"I love it," Frankie said softly.

"That's fantastic," Will agreed.

Hannah smiled shyly at Will.

"I'm going to put this in my office," Frankie announced.

"That's where I hoped you'd put it," Hannah said.

Luna grinned. "Hannah, I'll be back to pick you up in a few hours. Okay?"

Hannah nodded.

"We didn't really have time to make a fancy supper," Frankie told her. "But I'm so glad you're here. How about I take you on a tour of the house while Will finishes up in the kitchen?"

"Okay,” Hannah said softly. "I'd like that. Your house is really nice."

"Thank you," Frankie beamed and took her by the hand.

Hannah looked around the sitting room in awe. It was smaller than Ron and Luna's, but she felt at home here.

"And up here we have three bedrooms," Frankie said. "We only use the master, obviously."

"What do you use the other two for?" Hannah asked curiously.

"Nothing yet," Frankie replied. "They're all made up, but basically we just use them when Caroline, Emma and Mia spend the night."

Hannah nodded. She hoped that one day she'd be able to spend the night.

"And back here Will and I share a home office," Frankie said. "It's mostly for him though."

"Luna has one of these," Hannah said looking around the room. "There are a lot of books here!"

Frankie grinned. "Well, Will's a textbook writer. So he's always doing research."

"Wow," Hannah said. She moved behind Will's desk and watched as a quill was scribbling notes. She smiled. "That's so cool!"

"He's got loads of neat spells going around in here," Frankie said.

Hannah pointed to a picture of Frankie in a long, flowing gown.

"That's from our wedding," Frankie told her.

"You look pretty," Hannah said softly.

"Thank you," Frankie said. "Come on sweetheart, I think dinner's ready."

"I'm really hungry," Hannah said rubbing her stomach.

"I hope you like turkey burgers," Frankie replied. "We don't eat a lot of red meat around here."

"Red meat?" Hannah asked.

"Like regular hamburgers or steak." Frankie explained. "My mother doesn't eat meat at all, and she sort of passed it down to me and my sisters."

"Oh," Hannah said. "Well, I want to do whatever you do."

Frankie laughed. "All right then."

"Can we read some more of those magazines?" Hannah asked as she walked back downstairs with Frankie.

"Sure we can," Frankie said. "While we have dessert."

Hannah impulsively gave Frankie another hug. "I love you, Frankie."

Frankie hugged the little girl back tightly. "I love you too Hannah."

"Okay," Will said coming out of the kitchen. His voice trailed off when he saw his wife hugging Hannah.

"Everything ready?" Frankie asked, still holding onto Hannah.

Will nodded. "I even made some of my world famous chips."

"Oooh," Frankie said. "Hannah you're in for a real treat. Wait until you taste his chips they are delicious."

Hannah smiled. "I didn't eat anything for lunch and I just had some ice cream with Mister Ron when I got back from seeing the Stewarts."

"Well I bet you're starving then," Will said with a smile. "Good thing I made extra chips."

Frankie was dying to find out how Hannah's visit with the Stewarts went, but she figured Hannah would tell her at some point. "What would you like to drink, Hannah? We have juice and soda and water..."

"I never had soda before," Hannah said. "What's it taste like?"

"Hard to explain," Frankie said. "But I'll pour you a glass and if you don't like it, you can have something else."

"Okay," Hannah said. "Thank you."

Frankie walked over to the icebox and pulled out the bottle of soda.

"So," Will said to Hannah. "What do you like on your burger?"

"Um..." Hannah bit her lower lip. "Can I have cheese?"

"You sure can," Will replied.

"I like catsup too," Hannah said as Frankie placed a glass of soda in front of her.

"Okay," Will said with a grin. "Do you want tomatoes or lettuce or pickles?"

Hannah shook her head. "No thank you."

"You like yours like me," Will said.

"I do?" she asked, taking a hesitant sip of soda.

"You do," Will said. "Frankie asks me all the time if I'd like some catsup with my burger."

Hannah smiled. "Cheese is my most favouritest thing."

"It's like looking in a mirror," Will said to Frankie.

Frankie laughed. "Do you like the soda, Hannah?"

"It's good," Hannah nodded.

Will handed Hannah a plate. "Just as you ordered, madam."

"Thank you Mister Will," Hannah said shyly.

"No need to call me Mister Will," he laughed. "Just Will is fine sweetheart."

Hannah nodded. "Okay."

Frankie sat down next to her and dug into her own burger. "How do you like it?" she asked.

"It's good," Hannah replied. "Thank you."

"You're very welcome," Will told her. "I've got more if you'd like another."

"So," Frankie said after she'd taken a sip of her soda. Curiosity had gotten the best of her and she had to ask what had happened with the Stewarts. "What...what sorts of things did you do today?"

Hannah shrugged. "Just sat there while they asked me stuff. I didn't like them."

"You...you didn't?" Frankie asked trying not to sound too happy.

Hannah shook her head.

"They took you out to eat?" Will asked.

"Someplace that had icky food," Hannah replied.

Frankie shared a look with Will. She could see the warning in his eyes, but she was happy that Hannah hadn't hit it off with the Stewarts.

"So um... what did your case worker say about that?" she couldn't resist asking.

Hannah shrugged. "She asked me why I wasn't talking to them and I told her it was because I wanted to be with you."

Frankie grinned at that.

"I was thinking after dinner, we'd take a picture of the three of us," Will told Hannah. "Frankie wanted to have one for her desk and ...and I'd like to have one, too."

"You want a picture of me?" Hannah asked. "Really?"

Will nodded. "But watch out for this one. She likes to upstage others in photos."

Frankie hit him on the arm. "I do not!"

Hannah giggled. "Okay." she agreed.

"You should see some of the photos of Frankie when she was little," Will said laughing. "She's striking all these poses with her arms in front of her sisters...."

"You did that?" Hannah asked with a smile.

Frankie blushed. "Maybe once or twice..."

"Try every single photo there is of you," Will said dryly.

"Sod off," Frankie laughed. "I didn't do it in our wedding pictures."

"Much," Will said under his breath.

Hannah giggled.

"You see what I have to put up with?" Frankie joked.

Hannah felt at ease with Will and she giggled even harder when he made a face at her.

"I'm showing Hannah the photo albums after dinner," Will said. "She'll see for herself."

Frankie waved her hand. "You exaggerate."

"Trust me, Hannah," Will said striking one of Frankie's poses.

Hannah began giggling even harder than before.

"I have never in my life posed like that," Frankie said throwing her crumpled up napkin at him. "You keep this up and I'll show Hannah how you try to dance."

Will chuckled. "All right, touché."

"I want to see!" Hannah exclaimed. "Please?"

"Maybe Will can give us a demonstration after dinner," Frankie teased her husband.

Will shook his head. "No, Hannah. It's not a pretty sight."

"But it'll make you smile every time you think about it," Frankie added.

"Please?" Hannah asked.

"Come on Will," Frankie coaxed.

Will pushed back from his seat. "Okay, but neither of you can laugh."

"I can't promise that," Frankie replied. "Neither can Hannah."

"Promise," Will said folding his arms.

"Will," Frankie dragged out his name.

Will rolled his eyes and then used his wand to turn on the stereo. An upbeat tune filled the room and Will started to move. Hannah picked up her napkin and covered her mouth to stifle her laughter.

"I call that one scooping ice cream," Frankie whispered to Hannah.

"I heard that," Will replied.

Frankie stood up and held out her hand to Hannah. "Let's show him how it's done, Hannah."

"I don't know how to dance," Hannah felt shy again.

"Anyone can dance," Frankie said. "And believe me; you'll be better than Will even if you just stand there."

"Very funny," Will said, sitting back down.

Frankie coaxed Hannah to her feet. "Here...we'll hold hands and you just move your feet like me."

Hannah reached out and took Frankie's hands. She tried to imitate her as best she could.

"Good, Hannah," Frankie said. "Now try this..."

Hannah shook her head. "I don't know if I can do that."

"Sure you can, sweetheart," Frankie said showing her the move once more. She watched as Hannah imitated her and grinned. "I told you!"

Hannah smiled happily. "This is really fun."

"Okay dancing girls," Will said. "You'd better sit back down and eat."

"All right," Frankie turned off the Wireless.

Hannah sat back down and took a bite of her burger. She was so happy that she was able to come and spend time with Frankie and Will. He was really as nice and funny as Caroline had said he was.

After dinner was over, Frankie and Hannah did the dishes together while Will got them apple pie ala mode for dessert.

"I like washing dishes," Hannah said as she dried her hands on a dish towel.

"I think you're the only one," Frankie gave her a teasing nudge.

"Come on, girls," Will said. "Before the ice cream melts..."

"We'll go read magazines like I promised," Frankie said.

"Okay," Hannah said happily as she sat down beside Will at the table. Frankie came back with one of her fashion magazines. "Flip through this and let me know which article you want to read first."

Hannah looked through until she saw some pictures she liked. "Is this a story?"

"Sort of," Frankie said. "It's talking about the hottest Winter fashions."

"Hottest winter?" Hannah asked in confusion.

"They mean the best really," Frankie explained. "If something's really cool, you say it's hot..."

"Which makes no sense at all," Will said under his breath.

Hannah looked confused still. "I don't get it."

"Neither do I," Will said before taking a bite of his pie.

"You'll understand as you get older," Frankie assured her.

Hannah nodded and turned the page. "What does this say?"

"This article talks about makeup," Frankie told her.

"She's got way too much of it on," Hannah said pointing to one of the models.

"Yes she does," Frankie nodded. "Looks like Alicia."

"Who's that?" Hannah asked curiously.

"You don't want to know," Frankie replied.

Hannah shrugged and turned the page. There was a picture of a witch in a long flowing set of purple dress robes. She traced the pattern with her fingers.

"You like those?" Frankie asked, setting her plate down.

Hannah nodded. "Pretty."

"I bet we could find you a set like that," Frankie mused.

Hannah looked up. "I've never had anything as nice as that."

"That's going to change," Frankie told her.

"It is?" Hannah asked.

"Frankie---" Will said gently.

His wife looked over at him and shook her head slightly, reminding him silently that she remembered they weren't going to mention anything yet.

"How about we take that picture now?" Will asked setting aside the dessert dishes. "I'll go and get the camera."

Frankie smiled at Hannah. "You ready for a picture?"

Hannah nodded.

"I'm going to hang your drawing up on my wall tomorrow," Frankie said to her. "And put the picture on my desk so I can see it all the time."

"C-can I have one too?" Hannah asked biting her bottom lip.

"Of course you can," Frankie tucked Hannah's hair back.

Hannah beamed at her. She knew just where she was going to put it.

Frankie smiled at her. "You look perfect for a photograph."

"So do you," Hannah said.

"We'll take one of just you and me," Frankie said. "And then how about one of all three of us?"

Hannah thought about this for a few seconds before nodding her head. "Do you remember those wishes we made at Mister Ron's Mummy's house?"

Frankie nodded.

"If I tell you what I wished for would it not come true?" Hannah asked innocently.

"I'm not sure," Frankie said after a moment.

"Oh," Hannah said frowning. She didn't want to take any chances. "It's about you."

"You made a wish about me?" Frankie asked.

Hannah nodded as Will came back into the sitting room with the camera.

"All right you two," Will turned the camera on.

Frankie put her arm around Hannah. "Smile, Hannah."

Hannah leaned against Frankie and grinned.

Will took their picture. "Perfect. Let's do one more of the two of you."

"All right," Frankie replied. "But then we want one of all three, okay?"

"Me too?" Will asked in surprise.

Frankie nodded. "Right Hannah?"

Hannah smiled. "Sure."

"All right then," Will said, taking one more shot. "Let me just set this up on the timer..."

Hannah rested her head on Frankie's shoulder as they both waited for Will.

"Have you had fun tonight?" Frankie asked her.

"I don't want to leave," Hannah said shyly.

"I wish you didn't have to leave either," Frankie said softly.

Will joined them on the sofa. "Three....two..."

On the count of three all of them smiled into the camera. "I bet that's a fantastic shot," Frankie said.

"Me and the two prettiest girls in the whole world," Will said. "It doesn't get better than that."

Hannah smiled at him. "How long does it take to make the pictures?"

"Just a couple minutes," Will replied. "My dad gave me that camera for Christmas."

"So I get to have it tonight?" Hannah was delighted. "Really Mist-- I mean Will?"

"Really," Will said grinning at her.

Hannah smiled back at him. "I can't wait to see it."

Frankie blinked back tears as she stood up to check on the photos. She so wanted to tell Hannah that she and Will hoped to adopt her.

Will joined her at the camera. "You okay?" he whispered.

"I don't want to let her go," Frankie whispered back.

"I know," he said. "She's finally opening up too."

Hannah tugged on Frankie's arm. "Are you sad?"

"Sad?" Frankie wiped her eyes. "Of course I'm not sad, Hannah."

"You're crying," Hannah whispered. "Did I do something bad?"

"Oh no," Frankie knelt down. "You've done nothing bad. I just don't want you to leave."

"But I don't have to go until Luna comes back, right?" Hannah asked.

"Right," Frankie said.

Hannah hugged Frankie.

"Here we go," Will said. "How do you like these, Hannah?"

A wide smile broke out across Hannah's face as she looked at the photos. "That's us!"

Will chuckled. "That's right sweetheart. You get first pick."

They looked like a real family, Hannah thought wistfully. She knew they weren't, but she had made her wish. And she hadn't told anyone and Caroline said that if you didn't tell anyone your wish, it would come true.

"Do you want one of each?" Frankie asked. "We can do that, right Will?"

Will nodded. "Anything you want."

"Can I really have all of them?" Hannah asked shyly.

Frankie put her hand on Hannah's shoulder. "You sure can, sweetheart. You sure can."

"Thank you," Hannah's face was glowing, she felt so happy.

They spent the rest of the evening playing games and Hannah even let Will teach her how to play Exploding Snap. The events of the day caught up to her and she fell asleep on Frankie's lap.

"What do you think?" Frankie asked, stroking back the little girl's hair.

"I think that this is right," Will said smiling at his wife. "It just felt right, didn't it?"

Frankie nodded. "Earlier she told me she loved me. Will it was like the best feeling in the world, you know?"

Will smiled. "I hope that we can make this happen."

"Me too," Frankie said. "This really means a lot to me that you're willing to do this."

Will gingerly sat down beside his wife so as not to wake Hannah. "We'll meet with her caseworker this week and we'll go from there."

"I'm trying not to think too far ahead or completely get my hopes up but it's hard." she said softly.

"She's a sweet kid," Will said softly.

Frankie smiled down at the little girl. "I didn't know loving a child could feel like this."

Will smiled at his wife. "Hannah Barron."

Frankie squealed. "It sounds so perfect."

The noise caused Hannah to stir and she looked blearily up at Frankie. "Mummy?"

"Hey you," Frankie said. "You fell asleep for a few minutes there." she didn't bother to correct her.

Hannah sat up and rubbed at her eyes. "I had a really nice dream."

"You did?" Frankie asked. "What was it about?"

Hannah opened her mouth to tell Frankie, but thought better of it. She wasn't going to take any chances about her wish not coming true. "I-I don't remember."

Will nodded. "I forget my dreams sometimes too."

Frankie gave Hannah another big hug. She knew that Luna would probably be arriving at any minute to take the little girl home, but Frankie wasn't quite ready to let her go. Hannah was going to be her daughter. She knew that they still had to go through the motions and it wasn't going to be easy, but she just had this feeling.

"I don't want to leave," Hannah said quietly.

"We don't want you to go either," Frankie said softly.

"C-can I stay?" Hannah asked. "Please? I'll be good. I promise!"

Frankie desperately wanted to say yes but she knew both she and Will had early meetings in the morning. "Not tonight, but perhaps later this week? Maybe Friday we can have you, Emma, Caroline and Mia here for a sleepover."

"I promise," Hannah begged desperately. "I promise I'll be good. I won't leave my clothes on the floor and I'll clean up and I'll never get in trouble!"

"We know you won't," Frankie smoothed Hannah's hair back.

Hannah started to cry. She remembered what Caroline had said about her aunt not wanting children.

"Hannah?" Frankie was alarmed. "What's wrong sweetheart?"

Hannah slid off of Frankie's lap and ran toward the kitchen. She crawled underneath the table and hugged her knees to her chest. Her father was right. No one would ever want her.

Frankie exchanged a look with her husband and followed her into the kitchen. "Hannah... sweetheart please tell me what's wrong..."

Hannah shook her head and stayed silent.

Will stood back in the doorway as Frankie crawled under the table with her. "Hannah..." she said softly.

"Go away," Hannah said quietly.

"Honey," Frankie said. "Talk to me all right?"

Luna had arrived a few moments ago and she followed the sound of voices into the kitchen. When Hannah saw the blonde in the room, she crawled out from under the table and ran into Luna's arms.

"Sweetheart?" Luna asked picking her up. "What's wrong?"

Hannah only shook her head and buried her face in Luna's shoulder.

"It's okay," Luna said soothingly.

Frankie felt like she wanted to cry as well. "Everything was going fine..." she said, standing up. "I don't know... I don't know what happened..."

"Can we go home?" Hannah whispered to Luna.

"Sure we can," Luna said. "Frankie... I'll talk to you tomorrow?"

"Wait," Frankie said dashing into the sitting room to retrieve the photographs. "Hannah, you don't want to forget your photos."

When the little girl made no move to take them Frankie handed them to Luna. "We took them tonight."

Hannah sobbed harder into Luna's shoulder. Frankie wondered how things could have been going so well and then suddenly turn completely horrible.

"Hannah," Frankie said softly. "I love you very much. You know that."

Hannah turned to look at Frankie. "But you don't want me."

Frankie stared at her in disbelief. "Hannah, that's not true!"

"But you don't want me here tonight," Hannah wiped her eyes.

"That's not true," Frankie said touching Hannah's arm. "I was so happy to have you here."

"You were?" Hannah sniffled.

"Of course," Frankie said as Will stood behind her. "We both were."

Hannah looked at Frankie for a moment and then reached for her.

Frankie took Hannah in her arms. "Oh, Hannah. What made you think we wouldn't want you here?"

"Because you said I couldn’t' stay here," Hannah said softly.

"Tonight," Frankie corrected. "We said you couldn't stay here tonight. Sweetheart, if we had our way, you'd be here with us all the time."

"All the time?" Hannah echoed. "Really?"

Will smiled. "All the time."

"I'm sorry," Hannah said.

"No need to apologise," Will said tugging at Hannah's hair.

Hannah managed a tiny smile at Will.

"So, I don't want you to ever doubt how we feel about you," Frankie said tweaking Hannah's nose.

"I love you Frankie," Hannah hugged her tightly.

"I love you too Hannah," Frankie said. "You're my sweet girl."

Luna had tears in her eyes and she blinked them back.

"In my dream," Hannah whispered. "I got to stay here with you and you were my new mummy."

Frankie bit her lower lip and held back her own tears. "I'd love for that to happen." she said softly.

"Really?" Hannah asked hopefully.

"I hope so," Frankie answered.

"How about we all sit down?" Will suggested. "We should probably tell Hannah what we're trying to do."

Frankie kept Hannah on her lap as they all sat around the kitchen table.

"Will and I have talked," Frankie explained. "And we would very much love for you to move in here and be our little girl..."

"You want to be my mummy and daddy?" Hannah whispered.

Frankie nodded. "We want that more than anything..."

"Me too," Hannah said. "I want to stay here forever and ever and ever."

"It's not that easy though," Will explained gently. "We have to go through a bunch of steps to prove to your caseworker that we can give you a good home and a good life, Hannah."

"I'll tell her that I want to come here," Hannah said, feeling excited.

"That'll help, but we have to prove to her what great parents will be," Will said. "And it might take some time, Hannah."

Hannah nodded. "You really want to be my new daddy, Will?"

"I do," Will said smiling at her.

"I like you," Hannah said shyly.

"I'm very glad to hear that my dancing didn't put you off," Will said with a wink.

Hannah giggled at that.

"Hermione and Harry will be writing letters of recommendation for you," Luna told Frankie and Will. "As will Ron and I. And it would be a good idea if you could get your employers to do the same."

"I'll get on that tomorrow," Frankie said, hugging Hannah.

"Me too," Will said.

"We should get you back, sweetheart." Luna said to Hannah. "I know you've got to be tired."

"I'm too excited to sleep," Hannah said.

"That didn't stop you from crashing just a little while ago," Frankie teased her.

Hannah blushed. "It was all that dancing!"

Will chuckled. "There'll be plenty more of that."

"I promise to stop by Ron and Luna's when I get off of work," Frankie promised.

"I can’t wait to see you already," Hannah leaned against Frankie.

Frankie kissed the top of Hannah's head. "Hannah Emily Barron. How do you like that?"

"It's pretty," Hannah said happily.

"Has a nice ring to it," Will said grinning at her. "Come on then. You need to get your sleep."

"He's already sounding like a dad," Frankie said fondly.

Will laughed. "Practise makes perfect."

"And I believe these belong to you," Luna said handing the photos to Hannah.

Hannah nodded. "I'm going to put these on the table by my bed."

Frankie stood up with Hannah. "You have sweet dreams, my sweet girl."

Hannah hugged her again and then looked over at Will.

Will wasn't going to ask for one and he figured Hannah would give him a hug when she was ready. To his surprise though, when Frankie set her down, Hannah took tentative steps toward him and then held her hands up.

With a big grin, he lifted her up and was glad when she put her arms around his neck.

"Good night, Hannah," Will said softly.

"Night," Hannah said shyly as he released her.

Luna took Hannah's hand. "Good night, Will, Frankie."

"We'll see you tomorrow," Frankie said, following them into the sitting room.

"Night," Hannah said closing her eyes. She wasn't all that fond of the floo powder.

Within moments Luna and Hannah were gone and Frankie looked at her husband. "She wants to be with us," Frankie said happily. "Will she wants to be our daughter!"

Will hugged his wife. "She does, Frankie."

"I'm so excited," Frankie giggled.

"I couldn't tell," Will teased.

"We're going to have a daughter," Frankie replied. "It sounds so strange, but in a good way."

"I always knew you'd be a great mother," Will said still holding her close. "And tonight, you were amazing....especially when she ran away from us and hid under the table."

"I was?" she asked. "I just did what I thought was right."

"You were great with her," Will said giving her a kiss.

"It's really amazing how things change so fast," Frankie leaned against him.

"This isn't going to be easy," Will cautioned. "There's going to be background checks on both of us and our families, not to mention having to get her father to sign away his rights..."

"What rights does he have?" Frankie asked angrily. "He lost any right he had when he killed her mother!"

"He's still got to sign the papers," Will pointed out.

"Easy peasy," Frankie said with more confidence than she actually felt. "From what Hannah's caseworker said, he never wanted a child and he took it all out on Hannah..."

Will shook his head. "I don't understand how anyone could hit a child."

"I still remember that first day I met her when she flinched when Luna gave her a hug and we saw those bruises and welts on her back," Frankie said her voice breaking.

"That's got to be awful, especially for her," Will replied.

"Which is why I'm not going to let him stand in the way of her being part of our family," Frankie said her eyes shining with tears.

Will cupped her face in his hands. "You've already done some amazing things for that little girl."

"She's going to be OUR little girl," Frankie said softly. "She gave you a hug, Will. That was huge for her."

He nodded. "I can see why you're so taken with her."

"This is really what you want, too, isn't it?" Frankie asked.

"I wouldn't be doing this if I didn't want it as well," Will replied.

"I love you so much," Frankie said throwing her arms around him.

"I love you too baby," Will gave her another kiss. "I married a very wonderful woman."

"Yes you did," Frankie said beaming at him. "And I married a wonderful man who is going to make one hell of a father."

"I always knew you'd make a good mum," Will countered. "I was just waiting for you to realise it as well."

"Thank you for believing in me even when I didn't," Frankie said softly.

Will grinned at her. "I'm kind of hungry you know..."

"We still have some crisps and there's half a pie left," Frankie said making a move for the icebox.

Will caught her around the waist. "I'm more in the mood for a bit of Frankie Gai Pan..."

Frankie grinned. "Oh...."

"You in the mood?" he asked.

"Do you even have to ask?" Frankie purred.

He picked her up and carried her to their bedroom.

This was turning out to be a perfect day, Frankie thought as she looked at her husband. And even though it wasn't a given, she had a good feeling that she, Will and Hannah would get exactly what they wanted.

133. 133


Authors note: A little break from the Hannah-Will-Frankie storyline as you catch up with the Hogwarts crew this chapter. We are so happy that you guys are liking the Hannah storyline. We promise you will get more of that soon. But as always please read and review!

The first Hogsmeade weekend of the year had finally arrived and Saffron was so eager to get into the village that she bolted down her breakfast and was currently badgering her roommates to finish getting ready.

"I like you much better snarky and surly," Beth grumbled to Saffy as she pulled a cardigan jumper over her t-shirt.

"Just because you don't have a boyfriend--" Saffron began hotly.

Alexa moved to stand between her two friends. "Stop it, guys. This is supposed to be fun day, remember?"

"Come on Lexie, at least you understand how I feel," Saffron bounced on her bed.

"You're like a little kid," Alexa teased.

Saffron threw a pillow at her friend.

"I wonder if the headmaster will be chaperoning?" Mimi wondered aloud.

"I heard he'll be there," Saffron said. "So we should go right now!"

Mimi rolled her eyes. "I don't even know why you're waiting for us."

"I won't be if you keep me much longer," Saffron said. "I want to spend as much time with Andrew as I can."

"We're ready," Mimi said. "Just let me grab my bag."

"Finally!" Saffron practically ran down the stairs.

Alexa, Beth and Mimi followed at a slower pace. Alexa wasn't as excited about this Hogsmeade weekend because RJ had never gotten back to her to let her know whether he would or wouldn't be able to go. His letters had become few and far between lately, too.

Once they were in the carriage Saffron looked properly at her friend. "Are you okay Lex?"

"Hmm?" Alexa asked. "Oh, I'm fine."

"Aren't you excited?" Saffron asked. "You get to spend all day with RJ!"

"If he shows," Alexa said in a small voice.

Saffron's eyebrows knit together. "I thought he was definitely coming?"

"I-I actually haven't heard from him," Alexa said. "Not since I sent him the Hogsmeade calendar."

It was on the tip of Saffron's tongue to call RJ a nasty name but she held her comment back. "I bet he got busy and he'll surprise you," she offered instead.

"Maybe," Alexa said softly. "But I'll have enough to keep me busy. I wanted to buy a couple of books and I need to buy my dad something for his birthday. Don't worry about me being a third wheel with you and Andrew. I'll have plenty to keep me busy."
"And we'll be with you to keep you company," Mimi said loyally. "Who needs RJ Weasley anyway?"

"I wasn't worried about you being a third wheel," Saffron said.

"As if you'd even notice anyone else was there," Beth scoffed. "Andrew, Andrew, Andrew!"

Saffron stuck her tongue out at Beth as the carriages entered the village.

"That's really mature," Mimi giggled.

Saffron ignored her as she craned her neck to get a glimpse of the town square.

As soon as the carriages had stopped, Saffron practically jumped out.

Mimi, Beth and Alexa followed and Beth squealed when she saw that Oliver Wood was indeed here along with Julie Malfoy.

"I thought you were going to concentrate on blokes your own age," Alexa whispered to her friend.

"But he's here," Beth said as if Alexa should have known this all along.

Alexa laughed. "Of course..."

"Saffy!" Andrew called out as he came out of Weasley's Wizard Wheezes.

"ANDREW!" Saffron squealed at the top of her lungs, running towards him.

Andrew opened up his arms and Saffron practically jumped into them. "I have missed you so much!" he said holding her tightly to him.

At first Saffron couldn't say anything over the lump in her throat. "I missed you too," she finally uttered.

Andrew cupped her face in his hands before kissing her.

Beth, Mimi and Alexa stood back to give their friend her privacy.

"Boy he really did miss her," Mimi muttered. "He's practically sucking her face off.

Alexa elbowed Mimi in the side. "It's been weeks since they've seen each other, Meems."

"But would you be that way if..." Mimi's voice trailed off. "RJ!"

"I would, but he's not here," Alexa said. "I think I'm going to go and get some hot chocolate...."

"No!" Mimi said turning her around. "Lexie he's right over there!"

"He is not---" Alexa started to say, but to her amazement, he was standing off in the distance signing autographs for some children.

He looked even more handsome than she had remembered and she actually felt slightly weak kneed when he turned and grinned at her.

Beth pushed Alexa forward. "Go...Meems and I are going to go and stalk Ollie."

"Ollie?" Andrew asked Saffron.

"You don't want to know," Saffron said rolling her eyes.

Andrew laughed. "Okay then..." he kissed his girlfriend again. "You look even more beautiful than usual Saf."

"And you look even more handsome than I remember," Saffron said beaming at him. "I don't want to let you go!"

"That won't be a problem," he grinned back at her. "It's just the two of us today."

"Perfect," Saffron whispered. "How's the team? You have to tell me everything about your last match. I listened on the wireless. I can't believe you guys lost the way you did..."

"Yeah it was pretty pathetic wasn't it?" Andrew replied. "I'm just glad I wasn't playing. The team got chewed out afterwards."

"I have no doubt that if you had been playing, you guys would have won," Saffron said loyally. "And tomorrow afternoon is our first practise of the year. Tryouts were pretty harsh."

"Who did you wind up picking?" Andrew asked, his arm around her as they began to stroll towards The Three Broomsticks.

"Imelda, of course," Saffron replied. "And Ewan Chase is our new keeper. He is really an amazing player, Andrew. I had no idea he could fly like he does."

"That's great Saffy," he gave her another kiss. "I knew you'd make a great captain."

"I miss having you around," she said softly.

"I miss it too," he stroked her hair back. "Seeing you every day..."

"We have loads of time to make up for," Saffron said as he led the way into the pub. "Let's get a table where we can sit really, really close."

"You read my mind," he said softly, nudging her ear with his nose.

Saffron giggled. "Andrew!"

"Don't act shy with me," he teased.

"I'm not," she said. "That tickles is all."

They slid into a booth in the corner, squeezing together in the seat.

"So what's been going on?" Saffron asked. "Tell me everything."

"I think about you all the time," he said. "Other than that, I practise."

Saffron grinned. "That sounds just like me except throw in loads of revising..."

"Please," Andrew scoffed. "You don't need to revise anything."

"I have to if I'm going to be Head Girl," Saffron said.

"That's in the bag," Andrew squeezed her hand.

"Well, I don't want to get too arrogant," Saffron said thoughtfully. "There are two Ravenclaw girls who think...what?"

"I never thought I'd see you be modest," Andrew joked.

"I'm modest!" Saffron said defensively.

"You're perfect," Andrew leaned in.

Saffron looped her arms around his neck and then pressed her lips to his. She couldn't believe he was actually here. Today, she was going to make every moment count.

They had chosen the best booth in the pub- it wasn't in full view of the door so they had some privacy.

"I have really, really missed this," Saffron whispered as he planted kisses on her neck.

"Me too," he said softly, barely removing his lips from her skin.

"Mmmmmmm," Saffron said biting her bottom lip. He knew exactly what she liked. That was one of the many things she loved about him.

Meanwhile outside, Alexa and RJ were having a similar reunion. "I really didn't think you'd make it," Alexa had looped her arms around his neck. "Especially since I didn't hear back from you--"

"I meant to write," RJ apologised. "I really did."

"It's okay," Alexa hugged him again. "You're here and that's all that matters."

RJ held her close. "You smell good."

"So do you," Alexa closed her eyes. "And you look so good too..."

"Don't close your eyes just yet," RJ said with a gleam in his own eyes. "I have a surprise for you."

"You do?" Alexa asked, blushing in pleasure.

RJ took her hand. "Come on..."

Alexa followed him down the pavement. "Where are we going?"

"Do you remember me telling you about that flat above my uncles' shop?" RJ asked her.

"Yes," Alexa replied.

"It's ours for the afternoon," RJ said smiling at her.

Alexa grinned. "Just what I was hoping for," she leaned in and gave him a kiss.

"I'm not going to let you leave," RJ said nuzzling her neck.

"You mean you're going to kidnap me?" Alexa asked with a giggle.

"Maybe," RJ said grinning at her. "We're wasting time. Let's go..."

They were almost to the shop when Alexa noticed a group of giggling third years following them.

"What is it?" RJ asked. He got his answer when he turned around. "Oh no..."

"You've got fans," Alexa whispered.

One of the braver girls came forward. "It's really an honour to meet you. I know every single thing about you. I know that you're about six feet, two inches tall and that your favourite sweet is Chocolate Frogs and when you were a kid you had over a thousand cards..."

RJ gave her an easy smile. "Well I'm glad I've got such smart fans."

"I'm in Hufflepuff," the girl said blushing. "My name is...um, well my name is...."

"Meghan," one of the other girls giggled.

"And I'm Maya," another one said. "I loved that issue of Quidditch Illustrated with you on the cover. I have three copies..."

"I have six," her friend said.

Alexa smiled at the younger girls and tried to remain patient as RJ signed magazines, napkins, slips of parchment, anything the girls could produce.

"Thanks, ladies," RJ said. "But me and my girl really want to be alone."

"You have a girlfriend?" One of them asked.

"Duh, she's right there." another one hissed.

"Oh," the one called Megan said with a frown.

"You girls keep pulling for Puddlemere," RJ said waving at them.

"We will!" the girls giggled and headed in the opposite direction.

"Come on," Alexa tugged at his arm. "Let's get you inside before another swarming bunch of fans comes your way."

"Good idea," RJ said nodding. They made their way through the crowds and down the alley. "This way we can go in the back and not worry about anyone getting in our way or stopping us..."

"Good idea," Alexa said, feeling excited as they went up a flight of stairs.

RJ pulled the key from his pocket and opened the door. "Ladies first..."

"Thank you," she gave him a quick kiss.

RJ locked the door. "It's been way too long..."

Alexa nearly dove at him, pressing her lips to his passionately.

RJ walked her backwards toward the small bedroom never breaking their kiss.

She guided his hands down to her shirt and he pulled it off, running his hands up and down her bare back.

"Did you do the charm?" he asked her huskily as she tugged on his jumper.

"Mmmhmm...." she kissed him again.

"Good," he said as he broke away from her to lift the jumper over his head.

"Where's the bed?" Alexa asked huskily.

"Right this way," RJ replied.

She let him lead her into the small bedroom and they fell upon the sheets in a tangle of arms and legs.

Sometime later, Alexa was fighting off sleep as she lay completely sated and satisfied in RJ's arms.

"Lexie," RJ nuzzled her neck. "You're incredible..."

Alexa closed her eyes. "You're right. I'm not going to want to leave..."

"I don't even have to force you do I?" RJ laughed. "I've missed this."

"Me too," Alexa said softly. "So much."

"I know I've been a wanker when it comes to writing you," RJ said. "But I think about you all the time Lexie."

Alexa kissed his chest. "I don't care about letters. I'd rather have you right here like this."

He grinned at her. "Ditto."

"How are things going with the team and travelling?" Alexa asked. "I've been keeping up with it in the papers, but how are you doing with all of it?"

"It's good," RJ smiled. "No more going out and getting pissed like I did over summer hols. The guys are pretty serious about practising."

Alexa was glad to hear that. "And you're undefeated!"

"That too," he pulled her over on top of him.

"I'm glad that you were able to be here," Alexa said softly.

"I wouldn't have missed it," he tucked her hair behind her ear. "I think about you all the time Lexie."

"I think about you all the time too," Alexa said smiling at him. "That letter you sent to me after your first match...I-I have it under my pillow and I read it before I go to bed each night. How sad am I?"

RJ laughed. "Not sad at all."

Alexa gave him a kiss. "We still have a couple of hours...."

"Is that a hint?" he tickled her side. "That you want to shag me again? I know I'm completely irresistible--"

"Actually," Alexa said thoughtfully. "I was thinking you could help me find a present for my dad's birthday or we could go and talk with your uncles..."

"Why would we want to do that?" RJ asked, running his hands up and down her bare back,

"I was teasing," Alexa said nipping at his bottom lip.

"Better be," he said with a grin.

Saffron and Andrew had finished their hot chocolate and left the Three Broomsticks.

"Where do you want to go?" he asked her.

"I was actually hoping to get a book for my Gran," Saffron said.

"What sort of book?" Andrew wove their fingers together.

"Well, she's just finished up Aunt Luna's last book and she asked if I could send her something along those lines," Saffron replied.

"Cool," Andrew nodded.

"You're easy," Saffron said giggling.

"What?" he poked her side with his free hand.

"Nothing," Saffron said giggling even harder. "I've just missed having you around is all."

"I miss it too," Andrew kissed the side of her head. "Seeing you every day... snogging you every night..."

Saffron grinned. "Why couldn't you have been held back a couple of years?"

Andrew laughed. "That would have looked really good on my record."

"And your parents would have probably grounded you until you were 40," Saffron said. She was about to open the door to the book shop when Mimi and Beth approached her looking none too pleased.

"Your sister has some bloody nerve!" Beth hissed.

"What are you talking about?" Saffron asked.

"It's not enough that she's married to Nick Malfoy," Mimi said folding her arms. "She has to go after Ollie, too."

Saffron sighed in exasperation. "You two are bloody ridiculous."

"She was all over him," Beth said. "You can see for yourselves...they were in the Quidditch shop..."

"She's head of Gryffindor House, plus the Deputy Headmistress now," Saffron glared at her two friends. "They have to work closely together."

"Not that close," Mimi said hotly. "Come on, Beth. Let's go see if we can find Jake."

"They're so stupid sometimes," Saffron said furiously. "Can you believe they'd say that about my sister? Just yesterday she was their favourite professor."

"Knowing those two, it'll be all over the school by day's end," Andrew commented.

"I'll kill them," Saffron snapped.

"Calm down, Saffy," Andrew said putting his arm around her. "Maybe it won't be that bad."

"They're just chaperoning," Saffron looked at her boyfriend. "Trust my two roommates to make a bigger deal of things."

"I'm sure Mimi and Beth will move on to something else," Andrew said. "Like that poor bloke Jake."

"He won't know what hit him," Saffron said wryly.

"Let's get your Gran that book," Andrew said eager to take Saffron's mind off of Julie.

"Okay," Saffron relaxed against him.

Andrew gave her a quick kiss and then opened the door to the shop. It wasn't that crowded and he followed his girlfriend to the fiction section.

"Hmmm..." Saffron browsed through the books. "I think I'll send her a few of them."

"How's she doing?" Andrew asked.

"Pretty good," Saffron replied. "My mum and dad go over there once or twice a week, and Aunt Lav pops over from time to time as well."

"Speaking of your Aunt Lav, have you heard from Gabe?" Andrew asked.

Saffron nodded. "He's really busy with his classes."

"Maybe he'll meet some girl and forget about Lex," Andrew said hopefully.

"He might," Saffron nodded. "But they're still friends. I know they've written back and forth a few times since school started."

"Nothing wrong with being friends," Andrew said taking a few of the books out of Saffron's hands.

"I'm glad you're like this," Saffron said. "I know a lot of guys would have been really uncomfortable with that sort of situation, and even with me being friends with Peter again."

Andrew shrugged. "I know that you love me and I trust you, Saffy."

She grinned at him. "I love you more than any other guy."

"That's what I like to hear," Andrew said smiling at her.

"Give me a kiss," Saffron grinned up at him.

"My hands are a little full," Andrew said looking down at the books he was carrying.

"All I want is your lips," she leaned in.

Andrew grinned. "That I can do..."

"You didn't!" a familiar voice said from somewhere close by. "Oliver..."

"Jules?" Saffron pulled away and turned towards her sister's voice.

"I think it's coming from the other side of the shelves," Andrew whispered to Saffron.

Saffron pulled his arm and peeked around the other side.

Julie was standing close to Oliver Wood and she was laughing at something he was saying.

"You don't think they were right do you?" Saffron looked worriedly at her boyfriend.

"Of course not," Andrew reassured her.

"I had no idea you were this funny," Julie said hitting Oliver on the arm. "You always seemed to serious in those press conferences after your matches..."

"That was Quidditch," Oliver said in his Scottish drawl. "I'm always serious about Quidditch."

Julie laughed. "You and every male on the planet."

"That husband of yours is the same way," Oliver replied. "I've read his interviews."

"You read something other than Quidditch magazines?" Julie asked. "I'm impressed!"

"Once in a great while," Oliver joked.

"Are they flirting?" Saffron whispered to Andrew.

"I don't know," Andrew replied.

"I really enjoyed our talk the other night," Julie said. "I was a right mess...."

Saffron clapped a hand over her mouth.

"It was nothing," Oliver said giving Julie a hug. "I was happy to do it."

"What was she upset about?" Saffron whispered to herself.

"Anytime you need me, all you have to do is ask," Oliver said smiling at her.

"Thanks," Julie said with a grin.

"I always have had a soft spot for brunettes," Oliver said.

"Oh Merlin..." Saffron backed up in horror.

Julie and Oliver picked up a couple of books and then made their way toward the front of the shop.

"Saffy," Andrew said. "I'm sure it's nothing."

"But he said he has a soft spot for brunettes," Saffron said. "And she said he was there for her when she was upset. Why wouldn't she tell me about this?"

"I don't know," Andrew said thoughtfully. "Maybe she and Nick are having problems?"

"That's the first I've heard of it," Saffron replied.

"It's like you said she's the new head of Gryffindor House and he's the headmaster," Andrew said. "They're just talking and becoming friends."

"I hope you're right," Saffron made a mental note to talk to her sister as soon as possible.

"And from what I've seen of your sister and Nick, they've got a great marriage," Andrew reminded her.

"I know they do," Saffron replied.

"So there's nothing to worry about," Andrew said. "Come on, let's pay for these and you can let me buy you something nice."

Saffron smiled at him. "This is why I say you're perfect."

Andrew shook his head. "I'm far from perfect, Saf."

"You keep saying that," she gave him a kiss. "But I think you are."

"I'm going to remind you of that next time we have a row," Andrew said.

She giggled. "If I let you have a word in edgewise."

"I thought you were going to work on that," Andrew said with a grin. "Letting other people have their say..."

"Who said I was going to work on that?" she teased.

"I must have dreamt that," Andrew said shaking his head. "Come on, Potter."

Saffron paid for her books and they left the shop. "Where else are we going?" she asked.

"Did you want to pop in to Weasley's and say hi to Fred and George?" Andrew suggested.

"Sure," Saffron said. "But sometime today I want to show you the spot me and Lexie found a few years back."

"Okay," Andrew said. "You know RJ's dad is in the shop today, right?"

"Uncle Ron's here?" Saffron grinned. "I definitely want to stop by then."

Andrew laughed. "He was fighting with Fred when I saw him earlier."

"That sounds about right," Saffron leaned against him. "I know I said this already but I'm so glad you're here Andrew."

"I'm glad I'm here too," Andrew said putting his arms around her.

"Get your hands off my goddaughter, Kirke," Ron said from the doorway of the shop.

"Uncle Ron!" Saffron said.

"I'm kidding," Ron said giving her a hug. "Mostly..."

"Better be," Saffron teased. "Or I'll do that impression of my mum that scares you."

"That's not funny," Ron said with a shudder. "You're so much like her, it's scary."

"I consider that a compliment," Saffron said sweetly.

"Come on inside you two," Ron said standing back so they could enter. "Have you seen my son today?"

"He met up with Alexa earlier," Saffron replied. "I haven't seen them since then."

Ron nodded. "Hogsmeade weekends are so busy, I came in to help Fred with the rush."

"How are all the kids doing?" Saffron asked.

"They're all doing quite well," Ron replied. "Frankie and Will have actually petitioned to adopt one of them."

Saffron gaped at him. "FRANKIE?"

Ron nodded. "I know it's hard to believe..."

"I thought she never wanted to have kids," Saffron was amazed.

"That was before she met Hannah," Ron explained. "They took to each other right from the start, Saffy. It was really something to see."

"I think that's great," Saffron said. "I really do."

"When you're home for Christmas you'll get to see for yourself," Ron said.

"I can't wait," Saffron said. "Andrew and I will be together every day."

"Does Harry know about this?" Ron asked folding his arms.

"I don't know," Saffron said innocently.

"You do plan on spending a few hours with your parents and that dog of yours, right?" Ron asked.

"I always have time for my baby Puddles," Saffron said as Andrew laughed.

Ron shook his head. "You are too much, Saffron Grace."

"I try," Saffron giggled.

Ron walked behind the counter. "I saw Julie in here earlier. She had Oliver Wood with her. I can't get over him being the new headmaster."

Saffron's smile faltered a bit. "He's pretty cool."

"Seems quite impressed with our Julie," Ron said before excusing himself to wait on a few customers.

"I really wish he hadn't brought that up--" Saffron began when she saw Alexa and RJ descend into the shop.

"He didn't know," Andrew said. He caught sight of their friends as well and he rolled his eyes. There was no doubt what they'd been up to the last hour.

"Well, well..." Saffron raised an eyebrow. "You two look perfectly--"

"They look perfectly what?" Ron asked rejoining them. "Hello, Alexa and who is this young man with you...he seems familiar..."

"Very funny Dad," RJ replied with a grin.

"Hello, Mr. Weasley," Alexa said politely. "It's good to see you again. RJ didn't tell me you were here."

"I'm just in to help for the day," Ron explained. "Luna's at home with all the kids."

"Dad, you left Mum with five children?" RJ asked shaking his head. "What kind of husband are you?"

"She loves it," Ron replied.

"And she has experience," Saffron reminded RJ. "She raised all you lot."

"Amazingly enough," Andrew teased his friend.

"This is what happens when he hangs out with you too often," RJ said to Saffron.

"He loves me," Saffron said in a sugary tone.

"He loves me," RJ mimicked.

Saffron kicked at his leg. "Shut up."

"Shut up," RJ mimicked.

"RJ," Alexa nudged him. "Stop it."

"Act your age," Saffron said glaring at him. "Your nieces are more mature than you are."

RJ began to imitate her again when Saffron stomped down hard on his foot.

"OW!" RJ yelped.

"Serves you right," Saffron replied. "Come on Andrew. I want to show you that place."

"Great idea," Andrew said. "We'll catch up with you guys later."

"Have a nice snog," RJ joked as they left.

"We will," Saffron called out over her shoulder.

While going towards the secret spot, Saffron spied Mimi and Beth once again peeking through a window. "I can't believe they're stalking our headmaster."

"I wouldn't put much past Beth and Mimi," Andrew said. "They do realise he's an old man, don't they?"

"Who knows," Saffron said. "I'm glad I've got better sense than that."

"Me too," Andrew said squeezing her hand.

Meanwhile, Julie was still walking around the village with Oliver Wood, doing her mandatory chaperone duties. "It's funny being here as a professor," she remarked. "Especially when I remember trying to dodge them while I was a student here."

Oliver chuckled. "I know what you mean, Julie."

"Guess this is what it's like to feel old," she laughed.

"It's all downhill from here," Oliver said. "You can ask your parents and they'll tell you the same."

"You know, this is going to sound just awful but I'm glad my father turned down the headmaster position," Julie told him. "It'd be nice to see him more, of course, but it'd be too much to be working under him."

"I can imagine," Oliver said nodding.

"And I think it would be hard for Saffy too," Julie continued. "Some teachers- who will remain nameless of course- already seem to think she gets preferential treatment from me."

Oliver knew which professor she was talking about as the professor in question had already complained numerous times in the past month about it. "Yes, well, certain teachers also think that I wasn't qualified for this position, either."

"I think we're talking about the same one," Julie laughed.

"He has it in his head that my big plan is to turn Hogwarts into one, big Quidditch training camp," Oliver confided to Julie. "I told him that I would do no such thing...until my second year on the job."

That only made Julie laugh harder.

Oliver smiled at her. "It's good to see you in a better mood. How are your girls doing? Any better?"

"A little," Julie said. "It's just so hard to see them fighting so much."

"But you should never think you're not a great mother," Oliver told her. "Harry and Hermione were singing your praises the other night at dinner. They don't know how you do it all."

"It's not easy," Julie nodded at a group of students. "It's hard to do the commute, even though it only takes seconds. And it's hard being away more often now that I have more responsibilities."

"You didn't have to accept the head of Gryffindor House," Oliver said. "I could see if Professor Tysinger would ...."

"No, no..." Julie said. "I love doing it."

"Is there anything I can do to help?" Oliver asked.

"I don't think so," Julie replied. "Nick and I just need to sit down with Katie and work out exactly what's going on with her without Ashley butting in."

"You could do that this afternoon," Oliver said. "We're nearly finished here."

"I just might," Julie smiled at him.

"And I'm always here to vent to," Oliver offered.

"I appreciate that," Julie told him.

"Have you seen your sister today?" Oliver asked as they passed a group of third-years.

"I've seen her walking around with Andrew," Julie said. "I know she was looking forward to spending the day with him."

"Young love," Oliver said. "I remember those days..."

"Do you have a sordid relationship in your past?" Julie asked with a grin.

"Sordid?" Oliver asked innocently. "Me?"

Julie raised an eyebrow at him.

"Maybe one or two," Oliver admitted.

"I think we all have a few dating skeletons in our closet," Julie said. She told him about Ryan.

Oliver shook his head. "That couldn't have been easy."

"At the time it wasn't, but I met Nick a few months later." Julie said. "That wasn't easy at first either, but he's the best husband I could have asked for."

"I never thought I'd see the day that Harry Potter's daughter married the son of his archrival," Oliver said. "I don't have to tell you what a right git his old man was."

"Oh I know firsthand," Julie grimaced.

"Harry thinks quite highly of Nick though," Oliver said with a smile. "I guess the apple fell far from the tree in this case."

"You can say that again," Julie thought of her husband and daughters with a grin.

"I'm sure this thing with Katie will pass," Oliver reassured her. "And you know that she didn't mean what she said..."

"I know," Julie said. "It's just hard hearing your child say she hates you."

Katie's problems at school had proceeded to get worse. She had assured Julie and Nick that she was working on her extra assignments over the summer holidays, but her teacher informed them that Katie hadn't done any of them. At first Julie thought it was because Katie wasn't concentrating hard enough, but Katie's teacher had brought up the possibility of a learning disability and when Julie had tried to talk about this with her daughter, Katie had erupted.

"You're a great teacher," Oliver broke into her thoughts. "And I'm sure you're a great mother as well. You'll get through to her."

"I hope so," Julie said smiling at him. "Thanks for being such a good friend, Oliver."

"I'm glad you decided to become Deputy Headmistress," Oliver told her. "I made a good choice."

Julie gave him a hug. "Thank you for having faith in me."

A few gasps from behind them made Julie and Oliver break apart. "Can we help you girls?" he asked.

Beth and Mimi glared at Julie. "We were just wondering when the carriages were leaving, Professor Malfoy?" Mimi asked bitterly.

"In just a little while girls," Julie smiled at her sister's friends. "But if you want to take one back early I'm sure it'd be fine."

"Yeah," Beth said quietly. "I'm not feeling too well actually."

"Would you like me to go back with you?" Julie was concerned. "I'll take you to see Madam Pomfrey."

"No," Mimi said glaring at Julie. "We wouldn't want to drag you away. Come on Beth."

"I wonder what's wrong with them," Julie mused. "They're normally very friendly girls."

"Dunno," Oliver said looking at the girls as they stalked off.

"I'll ask Saffy when I talk to her," Julie said as they began walking again.

"The rest of the afternoon went by pretty quickly and Oliver and Julie didn't have any problems with any of the students. Julie hadn't seen Saffron yet and she hoped to have a quick word with her sister before they left for the castle.

The girl in question was having a bit of a tearful goodbye with Andrew. "This is worse than when we were on the platform back at King's Cross," she said softly. "I wish we had more than one afternoon.”

"We'll see each other again next month," Andrew promised. "I don't have a match that weekend."

"Okay," Saffron said, hugging him tightly.

"I love you, Saffy," Andrew said softly. "Always remember that."

"I will," she said. "I love you too... so much."

Andrew pulled away to look properly at her one last time. He tilted her chin up to face him. "I'm going to miss this face."

"At least I get to see yours whenever I want," Saffron said, touching her locket.

"Yes you do," Andrew said smiling at her. He pulled her close for one last kiss earning some looks from third-years who giggled as they walked past them.

"You're the best kisser ever," she said dreamily when they pulled apart.

"And don't you forget it," Andrew teased, giving her hand a squeeze.

"I could never forget that," Saffron grinned at him.

"Bye, Saffy," Andrew said. "I'll write, okay?"

"Every day?" she asked, stepping up into an empty carriage while still holding onto his hand.

"I'll try," Andrew said with a grin.

"I love you," Saffron leaned out the window.

"Love you too," Andrew said before walking back towards the square.

Saffron leaned back in her seat and tried not to cry. A month was such a long time, she thought sadly.

Saffron thought for sure she'd be travelling back to the castle alone when the door swung open and her sister poked her head inside.

"There you are," Julie said smiling at her.

"Hey Jules," Saffron said softly.

"I just saw Andrew leave," Julie said. "How you holding up?"

"Okay I guess," Saffron said as the carriage began to move. "I just really hate not being with him."

"You can write," Julie said. "And you have next month..."

"I know," Saffron said. "But it's just not the same as seeing him every day."

Julie slid over to sit beside her sister. "I know it's going to be hard, but you have me and Lexie to talk to."

"I know," Saffron leaned against her. "Hey Jules?"

"Yeah?"

"If I asked you something you'd tell me the truth right?" Saffron looked at her.

"Always," Julie replied. "What's on your mind, Saffron?"

"Well," Saffron began tentatively. "There are a few rumours going around about um... you and Professor Wood..."

"What sort of rumours?" Julie asked raising an eyebrow.

"Well... a lot of the girls think you two are spending a lot of time together," Saffron said. "And um... I wasn't spying or anything but Andrew and I were in the bookstore when you were in there and we sort of heard you guys talking."

Julie was taken aback. "Well, we were chaperoning together..."

"But you were talking about how you were a mess and he comforted you," Saffron said. "And he said he loves brunettes."

Julie gaped at her sister. "And you think we're having an affair?"

"No of course not," Saffron said quickly. "You'd never cheat on Nick, Jules."

"Of course I wouldn't," Julie said. She sighed. "I guess this is why Mimi and Beth were giving me the death glare earlier."

"They're so ridiculous," Saffron rolled her eyes. "They seriously think Professor Wood would look twice at them..."

Julie shook her head. "Maybe I should have a talk with them."

"I don't know what difference it would make," Saffron shrugged. "I'd just let them vent it out."

"I have bigger things to worry about now anyway," Julie said looking out the window.

"Why?" Saffron asked.

"Katie," Julie said quietly. "She's not doing well in school and Nick and I have tried to help her, but she's not been receptive and her teacher thinks that perhaps she might have a learning disability. Nick and I tried to talk to her about it and..."

"She blew up?" Saffron asked sympathetically.

Julie nodded. "And told me that she hates me and that's it's my fault she isn't doing well because...because I'm never home."

"Jules," Saffron said sympathetically. "You know that's not your fault."

"Yes, but she told me she hated me, Saffy," Julie said.

"She couldn't have meant that," Saffron said. "I know Katie's difficult but she loves you and Nick."

"I know," Julie said. "But I don't know what to do, Saffy. She hasn't spoken to me in two days. She talks to Nick and Greta, but not to me and certainly not to Ashley."

"I wish I could help," Saffron said. "Maybe I should write to her?"

"She'd love that," Julie said smiling at her sister. "Both Ash and Katie look up to their Aunt Saffy."

"I'll send her an owl tonight," Saffron promised. "I'll write to Ash as well."

"The other night, Oliver caught me crying in my office," Julie explained. "He was really a good friend to me, Saffy. That's all."

"I believe you Jules," Saffron said. "You never lie to me."

"And I never will," Julie said giving her sister a hug.

“How are Nick and the girls?” Saffron asked. “And Greta, of course.”

"Well," Julie said with a sigh. "Ashley's doing extremely well in school. They've entered one of her paintings in this competition and she's so nervous..."

"She's so good at that Jules," Saffron said. "It's hard to believe she's never had any formal lessons."

Julie smiled. "I know. She's always been so creative. She gets that from her father."

"I'm sure you've got something to do with it," Saffron nudged her.

"Please," Julie laughed. "I can't even draw a straight line, Saffy."

"Yeah but you're creative in other ways," Saffron argued. "And Aunt Lav draws, so it's obviously on our side of the family as well."

"Okay," Julie said. "Maybe I had a small part in it."

"Is Nick going to do another new album?" Saffron asked.

"He's just started writing some new material over the past couple of weeks," Julie replied.

"Cool," Saffron nodded. "I haven't been to one of his concerts in so long now. We used to go all the time."

"Well, you have been neglecting the rest of us to spend time with your boyfriend," Julie said dramatically.

"I can't help it," Saffron said. "Jules he's just so cute and sweet and--"

"And your entire family thinks he's wonderful including dad who has finally admitted his little girl has grown up," Julie interjected with a grin.

"Grudgingly admitted," Saffron replied.

"It's a big step," Julie said. "I can still remember how he scared poor Peter."

"Peter was totally intimidated by him," Saffron nodded. "Andrew isn't."

"It takes a courageous person to date one of Harry Potter's children," Julie said with a smile. "I remember when I was in school, no one would come up and talk to me because they were afraid that if they broke my heart, Dad would hex them or worse."

Saffron giggled. "Are you serious?"

"I can laugh about it now, but I was mortified," Julie told her. "I remember when we had the Yule Ball my fourth year. No one asked me. Not one person, Saf. I thought it was because I was ugly or a wallflower, but Chiaki and Tosh told me that the boys were scared to death of Dad."

"What did you do?" Saffron asked.

Julie laughed. "Well, I walked up to Trent Parker in the middle of the Great Hall and told him he was going to the ball with me and if he thought my father was scary, he hadn't seen anything yet."

Saffron giggled. "And he took you right?"

"Yes he did," Julie said proudly. "And was my first real boyfriend, too. And when we broke up, he made me promise that I wouldn't tell Dad."

Saffron laughed even harder. "I'm really glad you rode back with me Jules."

"Me too," Julie said smiling at her. "I really do hope that one day; Ash and Katie can be just like this."

"They don't know what they're missing," Saffron agreed.

"I keep saying that one day they will be," Julie said.

"But they know everything right?" Saffron smiled at her sister.

"Oh, of course," Julie said laughing. "They think I'm talking crazy when I think of them one day going shopping together or going to a film or taking a trip to the beach..."

Saffron got out of the carriage. "I'll try and talk some sense into them when I write to them tonight."

Julie followed her sister out of the carriage and then gave her a hug. "Thanks, Saffy. I'll see you on Monday morning. Enjoy the rest of your weekend."

"If I hear any more rumours I'll tell them the truth," Saffron said. "And say hi to Nick, Greta and the girls for me. Tell them I miss them."

"I will," Julie promised. "And I'll get Greta to send you some biscuits."

"You're the best," Saffron waved.

"You are," Julie said with a grin. After she did a head count, she went upstairs to her office to gather her belongings to head back home.

On her way, she noticed several students giving her looks but decided to ignore them. She had never been one to fan the flames of the rumour mill.

She Flooed back to her house and was hoping that Katie would be in a better mood and would be ready to talk.

Nick was in the kitchen stirring something at the stove when she came into the kitchen. "Hey," Julie smiled and gave her husband a kiss. "Something smells amazing!"

"Minestrone," Nick replied. "Probably not going to taste as good as Greta's, but I gave her the night off."

"That was nice of you," Julie gave him another kiss. "Is she feeling any better?"

Nick nodded. "Yes, so much so that she was going to play bridge with your Gran."

"That's lovely," Julie said. "How was everything this afternoon?"

"Pretty good," Nick said. "I took the girls over to Allie and Jon's. Ash was showing Em how to draw a house."

"How's Katie?" Julie lowered her voice.

"Seems to be doing okay," Nick said in an equally hushed tone. "She and Caroline played together and then she promised she'd work on her reading when she came home. She's upstairs working on it now."

"Good," Julie nodded. "Maybe I'll go up and see if she wants any help."

"Good luck," Nick said giving her a kiss.


-->

134. 134

A lot of you were glad to see Saffron, Andrew, Alexa, RJ and the rest of the Hogwarts crew, but most of you want more Hannah, Will and Frankie! So your wish is our command ;)

A lot of you have been asking about the H/Hr storyline we said something about. Truth be told, it’s still in the works, but nowhere NEAR being written yet- at least not for our timeline. But just remember, good things come to those who wait. We’ll make it worth your while, we promise. And we’ll include lots of scenes with them in the meantime!

Please review! You guys have been AWESOME about leaving comments lately!!!!

Julie went and changed into more comfortable clothes, then checked in on Ashley before going to see her youngest daughter.

Katie's books remained unopened on her bed and she was busy playing with a paper doll set that her grandmother had given her.

"Katie?" Julie knocked on the doorframe. "Hi sweetheart."

"Hello," Katie said coolly. She didn't bother turning around.

"I heard you had fun with Caroline today," Julie stepped into the room.

Katie shrugged and continued to play with her dolls.

"How did your reading go?" Julie sat on the edge of the bed.

"I'm going to get to it," Katie said defensively.

"I know you will," Julie decided to keep her tone light.

Katie continued to play with her dolls, keeping her back to her mother.

"Your aunt Saffron says hello," Julie said. "She told me she's going to write to you and Ash tonight."

Katie nodded. She held up one of her dolls. "This one has hair like Aunt Saffy, doesn't she?"

"Yes she does," Julie smiled. "But I think she looks like you."

"Really?" Katie asked smiling at her mother for the first time in days.

Julie nodded. "She's got big brown eyes and a pretty smile, just like my Katie Bear."

Katie giggled. "She does, doesn't she?"

"She sure does," Julie said, putting an arm around her daughter.

"I'm going to be a big fashion designer like Aunt Lavender when I get big," Katie said.

"I think that sounds like a wonderful idea," Julie replied.

"I can't draw as good as Ashley though," Katie said frowning.

"But you can work on that," Julie said. "If you still want to be a fashion designer when you get older, your father and I will send you to special classes for it."

Katie smiled. "I wish I could go to those classes instead of the ones I have now. My teacher is so mean, Mummy."

"How is she mean?" Julie kept her voice neutral.

"She just is," Katie said rolling her eyes. "She wants me to stay after classes...."

"She didn't mention that to us..." Julie frowned.

"She sent a letter home with me on Friday," Katie said setting her dolls aside and handing her mother the letter. "I don't want to stay there, Mummy."

Julie took the letter slowly. "Your father and I will talk, all right sweetheart?"

"Don't make me go, Mummy," Katie pleaded.

"Katie Bear," Julie brushed her daughter's hair back. "We can't just pull you out of school."

"Not out of school," Katie said. "I don't want to stay after when all my friends get to go home. It's not fair!"

"Katie I will go and talk to your father," Julie said calmly. "And we'll figure something out, all right?"

Katie gave her mother a hug. "Okay..."

"Just don't ever doubt that I love you Katie Rose," Julie said firmly. "You'll always be my baby girl, whether you're seven or seventeen."

Katie smiled. "I love you too, Mummy. I didn't mean what I said before."

Julie hugged her daughter. "I'm glad to hear that."

"I'll even clean up my room," Katie promised.

"Is this a whole new Katherine Rose Malfoy?" Julie teased.

Katie grinned. "Maybe."

"We'll work something out," Julie promised. "But that means you'll have to work with us. No more tantrums."

"I've never thrown a tantrum," Katie argued.

Julie raised an eyebrow. "You haven't?"

Katie looked innocently up at her mother. "Never."

Julie couldn't help but laugh. "If you need help on reading let me know. And dinner will be ready soon."

"Okay," Katie said.

"Love you Katie Bear," Julie got up.

"Love you too, Mummy," Katie said returning to her dolls.

Julie went back downstairs. "She's calmed down," she reported to Nick.

"You're hard to stay mad at," Nick said as he set the large bowl of soup in the middle of the table.

"So are you," Julie wound her arms around his middle.

Nick grinned. "That's because I'm so charming."

Julie laughed. "Charming and confident."

Nick turned around. "That's me."

Julie didn't let go of him; she buried her face in his back. "I missed you today."

"You mean you didn't enjoy trailing after teenagers all day?" Nick teased.

"Not especially," Julie said. "Although I've been getting to know Oliver Wood quite well. He's a very decent headmaster."

"And a damn fine Quidditch player," Nick said. "I saw him play a couple of times."

"He was speaking very highly of you earlier," Julie said with a grin.

"What did he have to say?" Nick asked curiously.

"He was talking about how he read some interviews of yours," Julie replied.

"Where I was being charming and confident," Nick said dryly.

"You're always charming and confident," Julie kissed him again.

"What's that piece of paper in your hand?" Nick asked. "A note from the headmaster? Did you get in trouble, Jules?"

"I almost wish it was me," Julie said. "Katie told me her teacher kept her after class."

"Why didn't she say anything yesterday?" Nick asked taking the note from his wife. He quickly read over it. "Dyslexia?"

"That would explain why she has so much trouble reading," Julie said.

"It says here that she wants to run some tests," Nick said. He looked at Julie. "Katie's a smart girl, Julie."

"I know she is," Julie replied. "But even smart people have dyslexia. It's just a matter of overcoming it."

"What can we do to help her?" Nick asked.

"We'll have to be really supportive of her," Julie said softly. "And encourage her all the time. And we have to help her as much as possible."

"We can do that," Nick said nodding.

"I think it'd be good if Ashley was supportive too," Julie said. "She needs to know she can't use this against Katie when they argue."

"Good idea," Nick said.

Julie leaned against him. "I miss spending time with you like we used to do," she said, setting the note down. "I feel like I hardly ever see you anymore."

"We haven't gone out just the two of us in quite some time," Nick said thoughtfully.

"We need to remedy that," Julie rested her chin on his chest and looked up at him.

"How about next weekend?" Nick suggested. "Just you and me."

"I bet we could get Ethan and Maddie to take the girls for the night," Julie said softly. "So we can just have time for ourselves."

"You want to owl them or shall I?" Nick said with a mischievous grin.

"I'll do it tonight after dinner," Julie gave him a long, passionate kiss.

They broke away when they heard a groan.

"Ewww!" Katie said covering her eyes.

Julie laughed. "Are you spying on us?" she teased her daughter.

"No," Katie said sweetly. "Is it ready, Daddy?"

Nick nodded. "Can you please go and tell your sister that dinner is served?"

"Okay," Katie skipped out of the room.

Ashley was upstairs in her room trying to finish up another sketch. She didn't quite like the colours she'd used and she stared quizzically at the parchment in her hands.

"Dinner's ready, Ash!" Katie said storming into the room.

Ashley jumped. "Why'd you have to shout like that?" she frowned at her sister.

"Sorry," Katie said sheepishly. "What are you doing anyway?"

"Trying to finish this," Ashley replied. "It's for Grandma Ellie."

"That looks like Grandpa Robert," Katie said her mouth agape.

"That's sort of what I was going for," Ashley replied. "You really think it looks like him?"

"It does," Katie said smiling. "Grandma Ellie will love it."

"I hope so," Ashley said. "I just have to fix some of the colours."

"I remember his cheeks being pink all the time," Katie said fondly.

"And the way he always used to smile when he saw us," Ashley smiled at her.

"And the sweets he'd always sneak us, but he'd tell Grandma Ellie it was sugar-free," Katie giggled.

Ashley's smile faded a bit. "I still really miss him a lot."

"Me too," Katie said sitting down on her sister's bed.

Ashley looked at her sister. She was surprised, after Katie's tantrum a few days before, that she was being so nice now. "Maybe um..." she said. "Maybe we can both colour this in and it can be a gift from us... you know Grandma really likes that."

"You---you never want me to help," Katie said taken aback.

"I know but... maybe this time it'd be nice?" Ashley asked tentatively.

"I'll try and not go out of the lines," Katie promised.

"We can work on it after dinner," Ashley got up. "And then we'll give it to Grandma next time we see her."

"Okay," Katie agreed. She followed her sister downstairs. "Did Mummy tell you Aunt Saffy was going to write us a letter?"

Ashley shook her head. "She's going to write us?"

"Mummy said so," Katie said.

"Cool," Ashley replied.

Julie and Nick were just sitting down when the girls came into the kitchen.

"I hope you both are hungry," Nick said with a grin. "I made enough to feed us for at least a fortnight."

"I'm starving," Ashley replied. "I was working really hard on the new picture for Grandma."

"It really looks great, Ash," Nick told his daughter.

"Katie's going to help me colour it," Ashley said. "And we'll give it to Grandma Ellie as a surprise."

Julie smiled at her two daughters. "She'll love that."

"We're going to work on it after dinner," Ashley sat down.

"Long as Katie gets her reading done," Nick cautioned.

Katie frowned. "Can't I work on it tomorrow, Daddy? It's Saturday!"

"Your mother and I would really like it if you'd get a few pages read before the end of the night," Nick reasoned. "We'll help you if you want."

"I don't like reading," Katie grumbled picking up her spoon and absently stirring her soup.

"But you have to know how to read," Julie said gently. "It's very important Katie."

Katie glared at her mother. "I can read! I just don't like to!"

"Katie we know you can read," Julie replied. "And even though you don't like it, you have to keep up with your class. It's like when Ash has to do maths."

Ashley groaned. "I hate maths."

"I like maths," Katie boasted. "I'm good with numbers."

Ashley smiled at her sister. "Maybe you could tutor me in maths then."

Katie raised an eyebrow. "You want ME to tutor you? I don't even know all the stuff you do yet."

"You'd probably do better than me," Ashley mused. "Mum had to hire me a tutor to help me out last year. I was in danger of failing actually..."

"YOU?" Katie asked incredulously. "You never fail anything, Ash."

"I thought you knew," Ashley shrugged.

Katie shook her head still amazed at what had happened to her perfect, smart sister.

"Everyone has something that they're good at and something that they have to work really hard at to master," Julie told Katie.

"Yeah well I bet they like to master it," Katie started to eat her minestrone. "But I hate reading and no one can make me think otherwise."

"Well, you have to do it," Julie said. "It's a fact of life, Katie and there are some really wonderful books out there."

"I guess," Katie didn't look convinced.

"You like it when we read stories to you before you go to bed," Nick reminded her.

"When YOU read them," Katie said. "Not when I have to. The words don't make sense."

"What do you mean the words don't make sense, baby?" Nick gently asked her.

Katie sighed. "Sometimes they just don't work."

"Like the words blend together and spaces get lost?" Julie asked.

"Sometimes," Katie replied uncomfortably. "Why do we have to talk about this now?"

"We can talk about it later," Julie said patting Katie's hand. "We're only trying to help, sweetheart."

Katie nodded moodily and picked at her food.

Ashley sensed her sister was feeling uncomfortable and she decided to help her out. "Mum, you should have seen Emma today. She's getting quite good for an almost three-year old. She colours outside the lines, but it's really pretty."

"I wish I could have seen them," Julie replied. "But I did get to ride back with your Aunt Saffron. She got to see Andrew today."

Ashley blushed. "Andrew?"

Julie smiled at her daughter. "He says hello, by the way."

Ashley smiled. "Aunt Saffy is so lucky."

Nick grinned at his daughter. "Does my little Ash have her first crush?"

"Dad!" Ashley exclaimed.

"You're not supposed to tease her about this," Julie admonished.

Nick shook his head. "Who came up with that rule?"

"All daughters," Julie replied. "I hated it when my dad would tease me about fancying someone."

"Grandpa wouldn't do that," Katie said loyally.

Julie laughed. "He did it all the time."

"I don't have a crush on Andrew," Ashley said in a small voice. "I just think he's nice and funny and smart."

"It's okay if you do, Ash." Julie said. "And you're right, he is nice and funny and smart. And he's very good to your aunt."

"It's so strange how our aunt is only a few years older than us," Katie said thoughtfully. "And you're way much older than Aunt Saffy, Mummy."

"I know," Julie nodded. "Funny how that all worked out."

Ashley dipped a piece of bread into her soup. "I think it's cool."

Nick finished his own meal. "Katie Bear your mum and I will make a deal with you."

Katie looked across the table at her father. "What sort of deal?" she asked.

"You work on your reading four days a week," Nick said. "And your mum and I will let you pick those four days. And we'll help you out whenever you need it- all you have to do is ask. And in return, you don't fight with us over doing your homework."

Katie mulled this over in her mind for a few moments.

"I-I'll help too, if you want," Ashley offered.

"That's very sweet of you Ashley," Julie said, proud of her daughters for putting aside their differences.

"Okay," Katie answered. "But I get to pick the days."

"That's right," Nick nodded. "You can trade days, and we'll mark them off on a calendar each week. As long as you have four days, then you're set."

Katie smiled. "Okay, I suppose that would be alright."

"Great," Nick smiled at his daughter. "You're a smart girl Katie. Your mum, sister and I all know it."

"You really think so?" Katie asked eagerly.

"Absolutely," Julie chimed in. "Both my girls are smart and you both make Daddy and I very proud."

"Thanks, Mum," Ashley said.

"Yeah," Katie said. "Thanks."

"Now who wants to help me clear the dishes away?" Nick asked with a grin. "Anyone?"

Julie laughed. "Since you made dinner, the girls and I will clear."

"I can go work on that song," Nick said rubbing his hands together.

"We'll have it all cleaned up," Ashley said. "Then me and Katie can work on Grandma's picture. Can we take it to her tomorrow?"

"I think that would be lovely," Julie said.

"Yay," Katie said happily.

Julie had fun washing the dishes with her girls and she was very happy to see them getting along for once. Perhaps this was a turning point. They were interrupted by a tapping on the window.

"It's Aunt Saffy's owl!" Katie squealed.

"She really did write to us!" Ashley said happily as Julie let it in.

Julie unclasped the two letters and handed them to her daughters. Katie was a little nervous about reading the letter and she slipped it into her pocket.

"You're not going to look at yours?" Ashley already had her envelope open.

"I'm going to finish cleaning up first," Katie said grabbing a dish towel.

Julie followed her daughter so they'd be out of Ashley's earshot. "How about we read it together, baby?"

Katie looked up at her mother uncertainly. "No one will make fun of me if I can't read everything?"

Julie touched her daughter's cheek. "No one will make fun of you, Katie Bear. I promise."

"Okay," Katie agreed. "Can we read it now?"

"Sure," Julie said. "Let's go in the sitting room."

Katie settled next to her mother on the sofa. "Dear Katie," she began.

Katie was silent as she tried to concentrate on the words. "I---you...." Katie stammered.

"I hope you are doing well," Julie said gently.

"I hope you are doing well," Katie repeated. She tried to read the next sentence. "I can't, Mummy...."

"We'll read it together," Julie said, putting her daughter's finger on the word. "Your mother said--"

"...that....you...." Katie said slowly.

"Good," Julie encouraged.

"...are...um....," Katie looked up at her mother with tears in her eyes. "It all looks jumbled, Mummy..."

Julie kissed her daughter's forehead. "It's okay sweetheart. We'll get the help you need."

Katie sobbed into her mother's shoulder. "What if my friends make fun of me?"

"Shah..." Julie set the letter aside and hugged her youngest daughter. "If they make fun of you then they're not good friends to begin with."

"C-Caroline wouldn't make fun of me," Katie said wiping at her eyes.

"Absolutely not," Julie brushed her hair back. "Sweetheart... you have something called dyslexia. It's where you read words backwards. It's not something you did, but it's something we can fix in time."

"And that's why I can't read well?" Katie asked in a hushed tone.

Julie nodded. "You're not the only one to have this, Katie. Lots of people do. And it's good we caught it while you're young, because we can help you overcome it."

Katie started to cry again. Everyone in her family was so smart---her sister, her aunt, her mother, her grandmother. She would be embarrassed if any of them ever found out about this.

"You won't tell anyone else, will you Mummy?" Katie asked hugging her mother tightly. "Promise?"

"Your father and I won't say a word, but it's not going to be a secret forever," Julie said. "No one in the family will make fun of you for this Katie Bear. I promise."

Katie nodded. "I don't want Ashley to know, Mummy."

"She won't tease you," Julie said. "If she does, Daddy and I will have a talk with her."

"You promise?" Katie asked.

Julie leaned in so her forehead touched Katie's. "I promise," she held up her Pinky finger.

Katie gave a slight smile as she linked her own Pinky in her mother's. "Can you read the rest of Aunt Saffy's letter to me?"

"Of course," Julie picked it up. "And I'll help you write one back to her if you want."

Katie wiped at her eyes before snuggling close to her mother as she listened to the rest of her aunt's letter. She giggled at some of the things in the letter especially some of the things her aunt had to say about Uncle Ethan.

"I hope you'll write me back soon, it would be nice to stay pen pals with you and Ash while I'm gone during the year," Julie said. "Love, Aunt Saffy."

"You'll help me write back to her?" Katie asked her mother.

"I sure will," Julie nodded.

"Thanks, Mummy," Katie said giving her a hug. "I love you."

"I love you too Katie bear," Julie kissed her head. "Very, very much."

"And I suppose my teacher isn't very mean," Katie admitted.

Julie grinned at her. "I think she just wants you to do your best. She knows you need help sweetheart."

Katie nodded. "Do you think Grandma will be disappointed with me?"

"Absolutely not," Julie replied. "She might want to help you out as well. You know how much Grandma likes to read."

"She has soooo many books," Katie said with a smile. "The library at her and Grandpa's house is almost as big as my school!"

Julie laughed. "I think you're right." they got off the sofa.

Ashley folded her arms when she saw them walk back into the kitchen. "Thanks for leaving me with the rest of the cleanup," she joked throwing a dish towel at her sister.

"Sorry," Katie replied. "Mummy was helping me read Aunt Saffy's letter."

"It's okay," Ashley said. "Aunt Saffy was telling me some funny stories about her roommates Beth and Mimi. They sound so funny, Mummy."

Julie shook her head. "They're interesting girls."

"Do you still want to go finish that picture?" Katie asked Ashley.

"Sure," Ashley replied. "Don't you have to go read though?"

"Katie and I are going to read when you two get finished," Julie said putting an arm around Katie. "Right?"

Katie nodded. "And write back to Aunt Saffy."

"Okay," Ashley said smiling at her sister. "I'll even let you use my new coal pencils."

"Really?" Katie's eyes widened. "You never let anyone touch those."

"As long as you're careful, it's okay with me," Ashley said with a shrug.

"That's my good girls," Julie hugged them both. "It's so nice to see you both getting along."

"She acts like we fight all the time," Ashley said to Katie. "Can you believe that, Katie?"

"We so don't fight ALL the time," Katie agreed.

"I must have you confused with another pair of sisters," Julie said apologetically. "These two fight about everything under the sun..."

"That's definitely not us," Ashley giggled.

"Upstairs with you two," Julie said laughing. "I'm going to be in my office grading some papers. Katie, you can get me when you're ready, okay?"

"Okay Mummy," Katie agreed.

Julie watched her daughters walk away and she hoped that this would be a turning point for them. And she made a note to talk to Ashley about this and stress the importance of being supportive to Katie during all of this.

"Hey," Nick came back downstairs. "Wow, they cleaned everything up fast."

Julie smiled. "Ash did most of it."

"Where are they now?" Nick asked. "It's all quiet."

"Upstairs finishing up Ash's picture of my grandfather," Julie replied. She told her husband about what had happened with Katie. "It nearly broke my heart, Nick. She's so afraid that we're going to be disappointed in her."

"That couldn't happen," Nick replied. "Not ever."

"We had a really nice talk and I think she realises we're all trying to help her," Julie said.

"Good," Nick put his arms around her. "Sounds as if you handled that well."

"You did very well too," Julie said smiling up at him. "That was a good idea you came up with for Katie."

"You know how she likes making deals," Nick joked.

"All too well," Julie said with a laugh. "I was going to grade some papers but how about you and I go downstairs to your studio and you play me something?'

"I could do that," Nick agreed.

"Yay!" Julie said clapping her hands together.

He gave her a kiss as he backed her to the doorway.

"Nicholas, what are you doing?" Julie asked.

"Getting you in the mood," he pressed his lips to her neck.

"You know you don't have to work too hard at that," Julie whispered.

"Just wait until I get on that piano," he said huskily before leading her downstairs.

*** *** ***

A quiet weekend at home was rare for Hermione, especially over the last couple of months. She'd been busy helping her son and daughter-in-law with the wedding preparations while also simultaneously working on the budget. Samuel usually liked to get started in August and he had comprised folder upon folder of each department and what their needs and goals were.

It was a tedious task, but one that Hermione usually loved because she was able to crunch numbers something she'd always been quite good at.

But this weekend, she'd decided to take it easy and just enjoy the peace and quiet.

Her husband was away on assignment with Ethan and she had the mansion to herself. Puddles was scratching at Saffron's door.

"She's not home, Pud," Hermione said picking up the dog. "You miss her, don't you?"

Puddles looked at her and whined pitifully.

"I miss her too," Hermione said opening up her daughter's door.

She smiled as Puddles wiggled out of her grasp and ran into the room sniffing around before jumping up onto her daughter's bed.

Hermione laughed as she followed the dog into the room. This room had gone through numerous changes over the past 16 years. It had started out as Saffron's nursery and then when the girl was four years old, she'd decided she wanted pink walls. Then at six, she'd wanted red and gold. And then Harry had enchanted the ceiling to look like a starlit sky.

She missed her daughter terribly while she was at school. "Guess she's always been a Gryffindor, aye Puddles?" she asked the dog.

Puddles rested his head in Hermione's lap and Hermione petted him behind the ears. She laughed as she remembered the day Ethan was leaving for his first year at Hogwarts.

Hermione was playing with four-year old Saffron when Ethan stalked into the room.

"Mum!" Ethan called out nervously.

"Yes Ethan?" Hermione looked up at him.

"I can't find my wand or my cauldron," Ethan replied. "I had them in my room this morning and then Greta made breakfast and I come back upstairs and they're gone..."

"Gone!" Saffron squealed clapping her hands.

"Saffy did you hide your brother's wand?" Hermione looked at her baby daughter.

Saffron shook her head. "Ethan has to stay now."

"Ethan's got to go to school sweetheart," Hermione replied.

Saffron stood up and walked over to Ethan. "You can stay now."

"I'd like to stay Saffy," Ethan told his sister. "But I have to go to school. It's really important."

Saffron looked up at him. "Who's going to save me from the monsters?"

"Dad will," Ethan said. "Now where's my wand? And how did you move my cauldron?"

Saffron shrugged her small shoulders and then walked back over to where her mother was sitting on the floor. "Let's read, Mummy."

"Saffron Grace," Hermione bit back her smile. "Where did you put your brother's wand and cauldron?"

"Ethan, you can read too," Saffron said innocently. "Get book, please!"

"I have to pack," Ethan said. "And I can't go to school without my wand! Mum make her give it back to me!"

"Saffron," Hermione said looking in her daughter's eyes. "Did you take Ethan's wand and cauldron?"

"She already said she did," Ethan interrupted. "Mum!"

Hermione nodded. "Saffron Grace, your brother is leaving for Hogwarts in a couple of hours and he needs to have his cauldron and wand. Where did you put them sweetheart?"

"Hot and Cold," Saffron clapped her hands together.

"I haven't got time to play a game, Saffy," Ethan said in exasperation.

"Hot and Cold," Saffron shook her head. "Ethan play with me!"

"Just do it," Hermione said to her son. "Humour her."

Ethan rolled his eyes. "Okay, fine. Am I hot or cold in this room, Saf?"

Saffron giggled. "Cold."

Ethan sighed and walked out into the hallway. "How about now?"

"Warmer," Saffron was delighted in her game.

Ethan walked down the hall until he came to one of the loos. "In here?"

"Cold," Saffron shook her head.

Ethan walked back in the other direction. "Okay, Saf...my bedroom?"

"Warmer," Saffron giggled.

Ethan stalked past his sister into his bedroom. He looked under his bed and under the bedside table, but there was still no sign of either his wand or his cauldron.

"You're getting hotter Ethan," Saffron grinned at him. Her eyes strayed to the closet and Ethan bounded over there.

He flung open the door and saw his sister's favourite blanket covering something. "Saffy!"

"You're hot!" Saffron squealed and clapped her hands. "But now I'll hide it again okay?"

"No!" Ethan said blocking her view. "Saffy, I don't have time to play with you. I have to finish getting ready!"

Saffron's smile disappeared and her lower lip trembled.

"Don't start crying," Ethan said feeling guilty.

"She's going to miss her big brother," Hermione said kneeling down in front of her daughter. "Isn't that right?"

Saffron nodded. "Who will I play with?"

"I'm sure we could get Ron and Luna to come by with little RJ," Hermione said tucking a tendril of hair behind her daughter's ear.

Saffron turned and hugged her mother tightly.

"Ethan will be back for Christmas," Hermione said patting her daughter's back soothingly. "And I'll help you write to him."

Ethan felt guilty for being so angry now. "Hey Saffy, how about you help me finish packing?"

Saffron pulled away from her mother and turned to look up at her brother. "I'm the bestest packer, Ethan."

"Yeah you're pretty good," Ethan smiled at his sister.

Saffron wiped at her eyes. "I can't believe you found them, Ethan. I hid them good, didn't I?"

"Yeah you did," Ethan said. "I looked over them twice while I was searching in here."

Saffron picked up her discarded blanket. "Do you want to take this with you, Ethan? You might get scared and I always use it when I get scared."

"That's okay Saffy," Ethan put his wand on the nightstand and heaved his cauldron into his trunk. "You keep it; I don't want anything to happen to it."

Saffron shook her head. "No, you!"

"Saffron guys don't take blankets to school," Ethan argued.

"Why not?" Saffron asked hugging the blanket.

"Because I'm a boy," Ethan stressed. "Girls take that rubbish to school, boys don't."

Saffron stared at him for a few moments before taking her blanket and walking out of his bedroom.

"Ethan," Hermione said sitting down on the edge of her son's bed. "She really is going to miss you."

"I know," Ethan replied. "But I don't want her blanket."

"You just hurt her feelings," Hermione said. "You know how she carries that blanket around everywhere she goes. The fact that she wanted to give it to you was really big for her."

"But what are the guys going to say if I show up with a blanket?" Ethan asked.

"You don't have to take it, but you should tell your sister how much it meant to you that she wanted you to take it," Hermione said softly. "She has always looked up to you and you've always been here for her and now you’re going away and she doesn't understand."

"Okay but then you'll have to finish packing for me," Ethan told her with a grin.

Hermione shook her head. "You're too much like your father, Ethan James."

"I'm a chip off the old block, remember?" he joked as he headed for his sister's room.

Saffron was sitting on her bed with her blanket wrapped tightly around her.

"Hey," Ethan said tapping on the doorframe. "Can I come in?"

"No," Saffron said.

"Why not?" Ethan asked.

"Because you're mean," Saffron said.

Ethan leaned against the doorframe. "It was kind of mean of you to hide my stuff, Saffy."

"I was just playing!" Saffron crossed her arms.

"You thought if you hid my stuff, I wouldn't be able to go away to school," Ethan countered.

"I don't want you to go," Saffron said.

"I'm going to miss you and mum and dad," Ethan said smiling slightly at his sister.

"You'll miss me?" Saffron's face softened.

Ethan nodded. "You're my baby sister."

Saffron dropped her blanket and ran over to hug her brother.

Ethan laughed as he gave her a hug. "You know one of these days; you'll be ready to see me go."

"No," Saffron shook her head.

"And you'll have tons of people to play with," Ethan told her. "I know they're in Ireland still, but you can get Mum and Dad to take you to see Maddie and RJ."

Saffron giggled at him. "You want to see Maddie."

Ethan rolled his eyes. "No, I don't."

"Maddie loves you," Saffron continued to giggle.

"Oh yeah?" Ethan said tickling his sister. "What about you and RJ? Hmm?"

Saffron shrieked with laughter. "RJ's an icky boy!"

"Well, Maddie's an icky girl," Ethan said tickling her side.

Saffron was laughing too hard to answer.

"You are pretty cool for a little sister," Ethan said mussing her hair.

"I love you Ethan," Saffron hugged him again. "I'll miss you."

Ethan patted her back. "You're in charge now. You have to look out for Mum and Dad and Greta. You think you can handle it?"

Saffron nodded solemnly.

"And I'll be home before you know it," Ethan said smiling at her.

"Will you miss me too?" Saffron trailed behind her brother.

"Maybe a little," Ethan teased going back into his room where his mother was just clasping shut his trunk.

"Wow, am I packed already?" Ethan tried to sound surprised.

Hermione laughed. "You're all set."

"That's good to hear," Harry said from the doorway.

"Daddy!" Saffron squealed running toward him.

"Hi baby," Harry swung her up into the air.

Saffron giggled and gave him a hug. "I tried to give Ethan my blankie, but he wouldn't take it."

"Awwww," Harry sent his son a teasing grin. "Ethan didn't want a blankie?"

Hermione hit her husband on the arm. "Harry..."

"Ow," Harry grinned. "Ethan, are you ready to go?"

"Yeah," Ethan replied. "I think so."

"And you'll have friends there already," Hermione said. "Luna said that Darla and Drew would look out for you and Frankie promised she would show you the ropes."

"All girls," Ethan grumbled. "Why can't Jon and Josh still be there?"

"Because they grew up and graduated," Hermione said. "And you'll meet lots of new friends, Ethan."

"I bet I will," Ethan nodded. "Can we go now?"

"Sure," Hermione said trying not to cry. Her little boy was going off to school for the first time and she was feeling a little like Saffron at the moment. She didn't want him to go.

Harry shrank the trunk down and put it in his pocket. "Come on then everyone," he said, still holding Saffron.

Hermione nodded. "Okay..."

"Don't go Ethan," Saffron's eyes were filled with tears again. "Stay with me."

Harry hugged his daughter. "Saffy..."

Ethan reached for his sister's hand. "I'll be back, Saffy. I promise."

"Really?" Saffron asked her brother. "Promise?"

"I promise," Ethan said squeezing her hand.

"Okay," Saffron reached for him. "I want you to hold me."

Harry handed her off to Ethan.

"On the way to Kings' Cross, I'll tell you all that you have to do to look out for mum and dad and Greta," Ethan said to her. "First, you have to make sure that Dad takes you flying..."

"Ethan," Hermione said reprovingly.

"Dad's taken her out loads of times, Mum," Ethan said without thinking.

"Excuse me?" Hermione glared at her husband.

"Just once or twice," Harry muttered.

"Daddy goes so fast," Saffron said grinning at him. "And so high, Mummy!"

"Does he now," Hermione said darkly. "Interesting..."

"I know we said we'd wait until she was older," Harry started to explain.

"Yes, we did," Hermione said coolly as she put her cloak on.

"But one day Ethan and I were out in the backyard and she was just sitting there with Greta," Harry continued.

"Mummy I like to fly," Saffron said. "Don't get mad at Daddy."

"I just worry about my sweet little girl," Hermione said. "I don't want you to get hurt. I've never liked watching any of you kids fly."

"Jules never flies, Mum," Ethan said with a laugh. "She's as scared as you of it."

"And Saffy should be too," Hermione took their Floo Powder from the mantel.

"Hermione---" Harry said. "That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard."

"Yeah Mummy," Saffron said. "And you told me Daddy can't say no to me."

"Yes, but wouldn't you rather have your feet on the ground?" Hermione asked her.

"I like flying with Daddy," Saffron shook her head. "We have loads of fun and Daddy holds me really tight."

"And would never let anything happen to her," Harry said.

"I still don't like it," Hermione replied.

"You can do what you tell me to do when I'm scared," Saffron said smiling at her mother. "Close your eyes until it's over."

Harry and Ethan laughed at the expression on Hermione's face.

"I'll try," Hermione said forcing a smile.

"Can we please go now?" Ethan asked eager to get on the train.

"Not before you say goodbye to me," Greta said stepping into the sitting room. "Come here, you."

Ethan ran over to his nanny and gave her a huge hug. "I'll miss you Greta."

"I made you some biscuits for the train," Greta said handing him a brown bag. "And I'll send you some care packages, too."

"Awesome," Ethan said. "Thanks Greta."

"Greta's going to be with us forever and ever and ever," Saffron said clapping her hands.

Greta laughed. "I don't know about that but I'll still be around for awhile yet."

"For-ever!" Saffron exclaimed.

"Come ON," Ethan said impatiently.

They finally made it to Kings' Cross, but didn't have time for more than a quick goodbye as the train was leaving in a couple of minutes time.

"You write to me," Hermione said, giving her son an emotional hug. "At least twice a week."

"Mum," Ethan said squirming out of her hug. "People can see!"

Harry laughed. "Little man, getting hugged by your mother isn't a bad thing."

"Dad, can we stop calling me that?" Ethan hissed.

"Ethan," Saffron hugged her brother around the waist. "You'll still keep the monsters away when you come home right?"

"You know it," Ethan said laughing.

"Come home soon," Saffron begged. "Please?"

"I will," Ethan said smiling at her. "I love you, Saffy."

"I love you too Ethan," Saffron said as Harry pried her away.

"You'd better get on the train," he said.

"Bye, Dad," Ethan said waving his hand as he stepped on the train. "Bye, Mum! Bye, Saffy!"

Saffron waved furiously as the train began to move. "I want to go with Ethan!" she cried.

Hermione scooped her up. "We have you for at least another seven years, Madam."

Saffron looked at the empty track where the train had just been. Her lower lip trembled again as she looked over at Harry.

"He's going to be back soon," Harry said. "And you still have me and your mum and Julie and Nick and Greta..."

"I know," Saffron buried her face in Harry's shoulder.

Hermione took out a tissue and wiped at her eyes. "My sweet little boy...."

"Come on," Harry noticed some reporters scoping them out from the other side of the platform. "Let's go home before they start in with us."

"Right," Hermione agreed.

"Are those the monsters, Daddy?" Saffron asked.

"Yes," Harry replied. "Those are bad, bad monsters."

Saffron hugged him tightly. "Let's go home."

"Home it is," Harry replied. "And I think my little Saffy would like some biscuits and milk."

Saffron nodded and rested her head on her father's shoulder. "Safe."

"You're always safe with Daddy, princess." Harry kissed her forehead.

"See, Mummy?" Saffron asked.

"See what, sweetheart?" Hermione asked her.

"Safe with Daddy," Saffron said softly.

"Of course," Hermione slid under Harry's free arm. "Daddy always keeps us safe."

"And always will," Harry promised.

Hermione rubbed Puddles between the ears and the dog whined and rolled over onto his back.

"They grew up way too fast," Hermione said softly.

Puddles whined again as if he understood what she was saying.

"Ethan's married and living in the cottage with Maddie," Hermione said smiling down at the dog. "And Julie's a professor at Hogwarts and our Saffy has less than 2 years left at Hogwarts."

Puddles jumped off the bed and let his nose roam along the floor until he came to a jumper Saffron had left behind.

Hermione laughed as she stood up to retrieve the jumper before Puddles did any damage.

"Come on you," she said. "How about a walk?"

Puddles took off out of the room.

Hermione laughed. This was definitely Saffron's dog.

*** *** ***

Unlike last time Hannah was to have lunch with her caseworker, this time she was excited. This was definitely due to the fact that this time Frankie and Will were being interviewed, and she'd get to spend the whole afternoon with them.

"Are you sure her caseworker will like us?" Frankie was anxious as she arranged her hair carefully. "I mean what if she thinks we're totally unreliable or something?"

"We're very charming and very responsible," Will reassured her.

"I really hope so," Frankie said. "I mean, it's got to count for something how outgoing Hannah's become with us."

"And the glowing letters of recommendation from our friends, family and employers," Will said nodding.

Frankie leaned against him and gave him a kiss. "I'm so happy to have you William Barron."

"Me too," Will said softly.

Mrs. Roman cleared her throat. "Mr. and Mrs. Barron---"

Frankie jumped away from her husband with a guilty smile. "I'm Francesca Barron," she said quickly.

Will stood up and shook the woman's hand. "It's nice to meet you, Mrs. Roman."

"Would you like a drink?" Frankie asked her. "Non-alcoholic, of course. We abhor alcohol. Never touch the stuff actually..."

Mrs. Roman raised an eyebrow at Frankie as she studied her. "Coffee would be fine."

"Relax," Will murmured in her ear. "I'll get the coffee while you both talk." he squeezed his wife's hand before leaving the room.

"So um... please have a seat," Frankie said. "Is Hannah coming today?"

"Luna is supposed to bring her along later," Mrs. Roman said. "I thought I'd interview you and Mr. Barron alone first."

"Oh okay," Frankie nodded. "That's fine, I guess I can understand you'd want to see us alone first to see if we're good enough." she laughed nervously. "Well of course we're good enough but you want to see that for yourself, right?"

Mrs. Roman pulled a legal pad from her briefcase. "There's no need to be nervous, Mrs. Barron. Just be yourself."

"Okay," Frankie wiped her palms on her jeans. "I just..." she paused a moment. "Hannah's a very special girl to me."

Mrs. Roman smiled. "She's a very special girl."

"There's really just something about her," Frankie grew more relaxed. "The first time I met her I just felt this attachment to her."

"You know that Hannah didn't speak to anyone the entire three months she was at the orphanage?" Mrs. Roman asked Frankie.

"No one?" Frankie asked, her eyebrows raised.

"Not a soul," Mrs. Roman said as Will came back into the room with a tray of coffee. "She was traumatised by what had happened between her parents, of course."

Frankie nodded. "At first, she wouldn't talk to Ron or Will either, but it seems she's gotten a lot more comfortable."

"And it all started with you," Mrs. Roman said taking the cup of coffee from Will. "Luna was telling me how wonderful you've been with her, Mrs. Barron."

Frankie blushed. "Well like I said, she's a wonderful little girl. I couldn't stop thinking about her after meeting her for the first time and I couldn't stay away."

"I think you should understand some things about Hannah's situation," Mrs. Roman said. "Hannah's father was a Muggle."

"I had a feeling he was," Frankie replied.

"What about her mother?" Will asked.

"Her mother was a witch," Mrs. Roman looked at her files. "But she didn't use her powers very often. Hannah's father was very against all things magical."

"So he decided to take it out on Hannah and her mother?" Will asked angrily.

Mrs. Roman nodded. "He's currently incarcerated in downtown London."

"I just can't imagine anyone doing things like that to a young child," Frankie said softly. "I saw her back when she first arrived."

"Hannah's mother, Abbie, was going to leave him," Mrs. Roman explained. "She confided to her neighbours that she was tired of putting up with the abuse and she couldn't raise her daughter in an environment like that. Apparently, her husband found the train tickets and he lost it."

Frankie bit her lower lip and held back tears as Mrs. Roman told them about how Hannah's father had beaten Hannah's mother literally to death right in front of her and had then gone after the little girl.

Will put his arm around his wife.

"Miraculously, she was able to run away from him, but not before he did some damage," Mrs. Roman said softly. "A neighbour called the authorities and they arrested him on the spot. Hannah hasn't seen or heard from him since."

"They should keep it that way," Frankie said angrily.

"Abbie's parents died when she was very young and her father was never close to his own parents so Hannah has no immediate family," Mrs. Roman continued.

"If we are able to adopt her," Will began. "And someday her father gets out of jail, is there a chance he could come after her, or even petition to get her back?"

"I think that would he highly unlikely," Mrs. Roman replied. "Given his history of abuse and the murder of Hannah's mother, no judge in his right mind would ever let that child anywhere near him."

Will nodded, reassured.

"I just think you should be aware of Hannah's history before you make any final decisions," Mrs. Roman said. "She's had nightmares and the scars from what happened will continue to be with her. I just want to be sure that you and your husband no what you're getting into."

"We know," Frankie answered. "I've been there when she's had nightmares and I know about all her scars, both physical and mental ones."

"Hannah's even called Frankie her mum unconsciously," Will added.

Mrs. Roman wrote some notes on her pad. "Luna told me how close you've become in such a short time."

"It's almost as if I can't stay away from her," Frankie said. "I'll be honest; I've never especially wanted children. But Hannah's changed my mind."

"Just wait until you see them together, it's really something to see," Will said smiling at his wife.

"Hannah will be starting school next year," Mrs. Roman said consulting her notes. "You and your husband both work, Mrs. Barron. How would you handle that?"

"My schedule can be very flexible, and so can Will's." Frankie answered. "One of us would always be there to take her to school and pick her up, and make sure we're around. And if by chance we couldn't be there, I have two sisters who live right here in the city who would help us out."

"And our parents would be only too willing to help out," Will chimed in. "And I do more than half of my work at home, Mrs. Roman."

Mrs. Roman smiled at him. "This certainly does seem to be quite a stable, warm home."

"It is," Frankie said smiling at the older woman. "It's very stable and warm. And if you'd like, I can show you the room, we've picked out for Hannah."

"I'd very much like to see that," Mrs. Roman got up. "And if you don't mind, a quick tour of the rest of the house would be lovely."

"Of course," Frankie said standing up. "We've lived here for almost a year. We moved in right after we were married and we did most of the remodelling ourselves."

"I'm very impressed," Mrs. Roman said, peering into the formal dining room as they passed.

"This is our family room," Frankie said standing back so the woman could see. "Hannah just loves sitting in here with us. Will's planning on teaching her how to play chess."

"I'm not that great at it," Will said. "But I'm a somewhat decent player."

Mrs. Roman nodded and walked into the room inspecting the photographs on the mantle.

"Those are my nieces Caroline and Emma," Frankie said. "And that one there is of my niece Sukie and my nephew Mas. And that one there is Will's niece Mia with Caroline. And his nephews..."

"Seems like Hannah would have quite the extended family already," Mrs. Roman commented.

"She would," Will said with a smile. "She's met Mia and Emma and Caroline and they've let her into their princess club."

Mrs. Roman laughed. "I think that's lovely."

"She fit in with them straightaway," Frankie said smiling at the memory of that first weekend play date.

"According to the old neighbour report, she was quite shy even before everything that happened," Mrs. Roman said. "So I'm glad to see her coming out of her shell."

"Me too," Frankie said peering at the photograph in the centre of the mangle of she and Will with Hannah.

"We took that the first time she came over for dinner," Will said as Mrs. Roman looked at the photograph as well.

"It's hard to believe this is the same little girl that I met a few months ago," Mrs. Roman said softly.

"I can't believe it either," Frankie replied. "I just... I love her so much and I'd do anything to make her happy."

Mrs. Roman smiled at Frankie. "I can certainly see that, Mrs. Barron."

Will smiled at his wife supportively. "Perhaps you'd like to see my office and then what would be Hannah's bedroom, Mrs. Roman?"

"Lead the way," Mrs. Roman said nodding.

"Do you think it's going well?" Frankie whispered into her husband's ear as Mrs. Roman looked around the bedroom.

"I think so," Will said squeezing her hand.

"Okay," Frankie was relieved. "I can't wait until Hannah gets here."

They showed Mrs. Roman the rest of the house and were just heading back to the kitchen when they heard voices coming from the sitting room.

Hannah ran into the hallway and met them coming down the stairs. "Frankie!"

"Hey you," Frankie said picking her up and hugging her tightly. "Look at how pretty you look!"

"I wanted to look like you today," Hannah said shyly.

"Hiya Hannah," Will said with a grin. "We're glad you came over today."

Hannah rested her head on Frankie's shoulder.

"You remember Mrs. Roman don't you, sweetheart?" Frankie asked. "We were just giving her a tour of the house."

Hannah nodded.

"Hello, Hannah," Mrs. Roman said warmly. She nodded at Luna who was standing back.

"Hi," Hannah said shyly.

"We plaited her hair," Luna said. "And she wanted to wear her purple jumper."

"Frankie gave it to me," Hannah said softly.

"Purple's your favourite colour isn't it?" Mrs. Roman asked her with a smile.

Hannah nodded and said shyly. "I love purple."

"And it's a lovely colour on you," Mrs. Roman said. "Shall we go into the kitchen?"

"What do you say?" Frankie asked Hannah. "Are you hungry?"

Hannah nodded. "Did Will make his chips again?"

Will shook his head. "Not this time, sweetheart, but we have some biscuits."

"What kind?" Hannah asked.

"Chocolate chip and we also have oatmeal raisin," Will replied.

"Chocolate chip is my favourite," Hannah said.

"Good thing I made a lot of those then," Will winked at her. "With extra chocolate chips."

Hannah grinned back at him and Mrs. Roman noted the ease with which the three of them related to each other. This was certainly different from Hannah's visit with the Stewarts.

Several minutes later they were all seated around the kitchen table as Hannah eagerly took in the plate of biscuits placed in front of her. "Can I bring some of these back for Mister Ron?"

"Of course," Frankie replied.

"He'll love you for that," Luna said with wink at the little girl.

"Good," Hannah giggled.

Mrs. Roman consulted her file and made a few quick notes. Frankie wished she could see what the woman was writing and she hoped they were making a good impression.

"Hannah, how many times have you come over to see Frankie and Will?" Mrs. Roman asked her.

"Um..." Hannah thought for a moment. "I came over here three times, but Frankie comes to see me a lot too."

"And what sorts of things do you do together?" Mrs. Roman asked.

"We watch movies," Hannah replied. "And Frankie reads bedtime stories to me, or magazines."

"And how do you feel about Will?" Mrs. Roman asked.

Hannah looked at him shyly. "He's nice to me," she said softly.

Hannah watched as the caseworker scribbled notes down. She so wanted to say the right things. Luna had told her to be honest and to be herself.

"What sorts of things do you do with Will when you come over here?" Mrs. Roman then asked.

"We, um," Hannah said thoughtfully. "I helped him cook last time I was here and we talk and play games."

Mrs. Roman smiled and wrote that down.

"Hannah also happens to be a wonderful gardener," Luna added.

Hannah blushed. "I'm okay..."

"I can't wait for spring," Frankie said. "My garden will look wonderful if I get Hannah's help."

Hannah beamed at Frankie.

Mrs. Roman nodded. "I think I've gotten everything I came here for today."

"Does Frankie get to be my mummy?" Hannah asked innocently.

135. 135

In this chapter you get the rest of the Hannah scene, and then we have some E/M, which a lot of you have been clambering for ;) and then we also have some RJ/Alexa stuff believe it or not haha

We hope you enjoy it, and we’re also trying to put up another Sims page update soon! Please review!!

Mrs. Roman smiled at her. "I can definitely say they've got my recommendation, sweetheart. But it's up to the courts to make the final decision."

"What else do we have to do?" Frankie asked.

"I'll make my recommendations and we have to visit with Hannah's father to get him to sign away his rights," Mrs. Roman said. At the mention of her father, Hannah got up from her own chair and hopped on Frankie's lap.

Frankie put her arms protectively around the little girl and kissed the top of her head. "Does Hannah have to see him again?" she asked quietly.

Mrs. Roman shook her head. "Of course not."

Frankie felt Hannah relax. "Good," she answered.

"During the adoption hearing," Mrs. Roman explained. "He will be there though, but Hannah doesn't have to be. The judge will hear from her separately and then make his decision after talking to you."

Will nodded. "Sounds good."

"I'll be in touch," Mrs. Roman said. "It was lovely to meet you both."

"You too," Will shook the woman's hand as did Frankie.

"I'm going to take Mrs. Roman back to the house so she can visit with Joey," Luna said to Hannah. "I'll be back to get you in a couple of hours, okay?"

"I get to stay?" Hannah brightened.

Luna nodded. "For a couple of hours."

Hannah grinned at Frankie.

Frankie grinned back and waited until Luna and Mrs. Roman were gone before showing how happy she truly was.

"That went so well," Frankie said giving Hannah a big hug.

"I want to come live here so much," Hannah said.

"We want that too," Frankie said softly.

"Very much," Will added.

Hannah gave Frankie another hug. "Did I do okay?"

"You did perfect," Frankie kissed the side of her forehead. "Absolutely perfect."

"I was nervous," Hannah admitted.

"So was I," Frankie replied. "But it looks like everything's going to work out."

"I talked to my mummy last night," Hannah said softly. "In my dreams."

"Did you?" Frankie asked, brushing her hair back. "What did you talk about?"

Hannah smiled. "She said that she loved me and that she was sorry she couldn't be here, but she'd sent you to me and that you'd look after me and love me just like she did."

Frankie's eyes filled with tears. "That's beautiful Hannah."

"And she said that Will was nothing like my Daddy," Hannah said looking shyly at him. "And that he would love me very much."

Will smiled. "I think your mum was very right," he chucked her gently under the chin.

Hannah giggled and gave him a hug.

Will gave the little girl a kiss on the cheek. "I know you ate a lot of biscuits, but how about Frankie and I take you out for dinner tonight?"

"Really?" Hannah asked.

"Do you like Italian?" Frankie asked.

"What's that?" Hannah asked.

"Pizza, spaghetti," Will told her. "Things like that."

"I like pizza," Hannah said. "We had it last night."

"We don't have to eat Italian since you had that last night," Frankie said.

Hannah shook her head. "I want to," she said quickly. "It was yummy."

"Okay then," Will said smiling at her. "Pizza it is."

As they left the house, deciding to walk since the restaurant was close by and it was a nice evening, Hannah took each of their hands in hers as she walked between them.

"Halloween will be coming up in a few weeks," Will said conversationally. "What are you going to dress up as?"

"Dress up?" Hannah asked. "You mean like when I dress up for the princess club?"

Will nodded. "You don't have to dress up like a princess, though. You can dress up as anything you want."

Hannah looked at Frankie in confusion.

"It's really fun," Frankie said. "You get to pick out a costume and you wear it on Halloween and kids can go trick-or-treating and you can play fun games. Our neighbourhood has a really nice carnival. Will and I have never been, but we were thinking that perhaps you'd like to go."

Will smiled. "They have a really nice costume contest and lots of sweets."

"You'll go with me?" Hannah asked them. "The whole time? Do Emma and Caroline go too?"

"We'd go with you," Frankie replied. "And I'm sure Caroline and Em would love to come with."

"And I have to wear a costume?" Hannah asked. "What do Caroline and Emma usually wear?"

"Well last year, they went as princesses, but the year before Caroline was a cat," Frankie said. "She had whiskers and a tail. She was so cute!"

Hannah giggled. "I like cats."

"Em's thinking of being Little Red Riding Hood this year," Frankie told her. "Allie says it's her favourite story right now."

"She'd be really cute," Hannah said. "My mummy read me that story."

"It's one of my favourites too," Frankie said smiling down at her. "You can get a lot of good costume ideas from books."

"Can we make a costume together?" Hannah asked a bit timidly.

"Of course," Frankie replied. "That'd be fun."

Hannah grinned as they went up the steps and into the restaurant.

They settled in a corner booth and Hannah squeezed in beside Frankie.

"What are you in the mood for?" Frankie asked. "Do you want some soda like you had at our house that first time?"

"Please," Hannah said politely.

"And do you want some pizza or would you like pasta?" Will asked. "They make the best pasta here."

Frankie picked up the menu and pointed out some of her favourites. "This lasagne is delicious and wait until you try the garlic bread, Hannah."

The little girl's eyes grew wide as she looked at the menu. "There's so much food!"

"And you can choose anything you want," Will told her.

The waitress had placed a paper child's menu in front of them when they sat down. "I can't really read any of this," Hannah admitted.

Frankie put an arm around her. "I'll help. Okay, there's macaroni and cheese. And spaghetti, of course. Or you could get an individual pizza of your choice..."

"My own pizza?" Hannah asked. "I want that!"

Will grinned. "What do you want on it?"

"Lots of cheese," Hannah said. "Lots and lots of cheese!"

Will recognised one of his friends from work and he stood up to go over and say hello. Frankie looked conspiratorially at Hannah. "Okay, Hannah. I'm going to tell you something about Will, but you can't tell him I told you."

"What?" Hannah leaned in.

"It's so funny," Frankie said with a grin. "He always studies the menu like he's making this big decision. And you think he's going to order something different, but it never fails. He always orders the manicotti with extra meat sauce. Every single time. You watch. When he comes back to the table, he'll say that he thinks the spaghetti looks good or maybe he'll try the stuffed mushrooms, but he then orders the manicotti each and every time. I'd bet a thousand galleons he does it again tonight."

Hannah giggled. "Will's funny."

Frankie nodded. "He is very funny."

"Do I really get to have my own pizza?" Hannah leaned against her.

"Your very own pizza," Frankie said putting an arm around her. "And you can get anything you want on it. Pepperoni, mushrooms, sausage, hamburger...."

"Hamburger on a pizza?" Hannah made a face.

"I know," Frankie said nodding. "Not exactly appetizing, is it? I like to get spinach and mushroom on mine."

"I just like cheese," Hannah said, smiling shyly at her.

"Then cheese it is," Frankie said. She looked up and saw Will coming back over to join them.

"That was Tom," Will explained. "He's working on that chapter with me, remember?"

"Right," Frankie grinned at Hannah. "So sweetheart, what are you in the mood for tonight?"

Will picked up his menu and studied it thoroughly. "Everything looks so good. Stuffed mushrooms....hmm...."

Hannah stifled a giggle as Frankie grinned knowingly.

"Or the spaghetti," Will said nodding.

"I'm going to get a spinach salad," Frankie said. "And a side order of stuffed ravioli."

Will closed his menu. "I think I'll just get manicotti."

Hannah couldn't hold her giggles in anymore and Will looked at her perplexed.

Frankie giggled too which only confused Will even more.

"Am I missing something here?" he sat back.

Frankie shook her head as she tried to stop laughing.

"Hannah?" the corners of Will's mouth turned up. "Want to let me in on the joke here?"

Frankie nodded her consent and Hannah grinned. "You always order the manicamotti."

"The manicotti?" Will asked with a grin. "So Frankie pulled you in on her little story didn't she?"

"It's not a story, Mister Predictable," Frankie said nudging him.

"Yeah, yeah." Will gave his wife a little kiss. "Same goes for you Ms. Salad and Ravioli."

"Yes, well unlike you, I have eaten other things here," Frankie said.

The waitress came back over that moment and Frankie let Hannah place her own order.

"Pizza with extra cheese," Hannah said shyly. "Please."

"Excellent choice, madam," the waitress said. "Would you like a salad, too?"

"I don't know..." Hannah looked at Frankie.

"You can get a salad if you want, and I'll finish it if you don't like it." Will told her.

Hannah nodded and looked at the waitress. "I'd like a salad, please."

"Great," the waitress smiled at her. "I'll have that out for you soon."

"Thanks," Frankie said.

"Your daughter is adorable," the waitress said before walking away.

Hannah looked at the woman as she walked away. "That lady says I'm your daughter already," she stated.

Frankie nodded. "She thought that we look like a family."

"I think we do too," Will tweaked Hannah's nose.

"We are a family," Frankie said to Hannah. "No matter what happens, Hannah. We love you."

"I love you both too," Hannah leaned over and hugged her.

"My sweet girl," Frankie said kissing the top of her head.

"Frankie?" Hannah asked after a moment. "Do I get to spend the night soon?"

"We were speaking with Mrs. Roman about that and she doesn't think that would be a good idea until after the court makes their final decision," Frankie explained gently. "It's a rule that we have to follow."

"Oh," Hannah deflated just a bit.

"But that doesn't mean I can't stay over with you one night," Frankie said. "We could have our own sleepover."

"I hate to rain on your parade but you'd best speak to Luna before you arrange anything like that," Will said cautiously.

"Right," Frankie said hastily. "We'll have to run it by Luna and Ron, of course."

Hannah felt happier than she had in ages. "Can we stay up all night?" she asked. "If you can come?"

"We'll try," Frankie replied with a grin.

"And have popcorn and watch lots of movies?" Hannah asked.

Frankie laughed and tickled her side. "Yes, we can watch movies and eat lots of popcorn."

"I can't wait," Hannah giggled.

"Me either," Frankie agreed.

The waitress brought over their drinks and a large basket of garlic bread. “I put a few extra pieces in here for you three,” she said, grinning at Hannah. “I’ll be back in a few minutes with your salads.”

Hannah smiled. "That smells so good!"

"Have a piece," Frankie picked a big slice and set it down in front of her.

Hannah took a bite and the look on her face made Will and Frankie laugh.

"Told you it was good," Frankie said giggling.

"That's the yummiest garlic bread ever," Hannah said, ravenously gobbling it down.

Frankie decided to splurge a bit and she too took a piece of bread.

"What is this?" Will pretended to be shocked. "Is my slender, calorie counting wife actually eating BREAD?"

Frankie finished her bite and looked indignantly at him. "Everything in moderation, William. Everything in moderation."

"Watch her when she gets her ravioli," Will told Hannah. "She'll eat it faster than Ron eats biscuits."

"Mister Ron eats really, really fast and he eats so much," Hannah said her eyes getting big. "Jenny and I just sit back and watch. And his little girl eats just as much as he does! But she does have the prettiest hair. Caroline was right."

"Isn't Maddie completely gorgeous?" Frankie agreed. "And the thing about her, is she's as sweet and nice as she is beautiful."

Hannah nodded. "She brought over her pixie for us to play with. I liked him a whole bunch."

"Blue's cute," Will nodded. "We kept him while she and her husband were on their honeymoon."

"He played with my hair," Hannah giggled at the memory of it. "And when Joey and Zach called me 'Hannah Banana', he made a really scary face at them."

"I think that means he likes you," Frankie smiled at her.

"I think so too," Hannah said happily.

"Here are your salads," the waitress set them down.

"Thank you," Hannah said politely.

"You're very welcome," the waitress replied.

"They're not my mummy and daddy yet," Hannah told the waitress softly.

"I beg your pardon?" the waitress asked.

"They're not my mummy and daddy yet, but they're going to be," Hannah said motioning to first Frankie and then Will.

"Oh," the waitress said. "Well... it looks as if they love you very much."

"Really?" Hannah asked, pleased.

"Definitely," the waitress winked at her before leaving for another table.

"We do love you very, very much," Frankie said as she cut Hannah's salad.

Hannah blushed happily and looked down at her lap shyly.

"And you never have to doubt that," Will told her. "We want you to be our daughter, Hannah. More than anything in the world."

"I want that too," Hannah nodded. "A whole lot."

Frankie knew that nothing was definite yet, but she liked their chances. Mrs. Roman had said as much.

She handed Hannah a fork. "Here you go, sweetheart."

"I never had salad before," Hannah replied.

"It looks as if they've given you Italian dressing," Frankie said. "Let me know what you think."

Hannah took a tentative bite. "It's.... okay."

Frankie laughed. "Not too many kids like salad..."

"Do you want to finish mine?" Hannah asked. "Is it really okay if I don't like it?"

"I'll take it," Will said. "And yes, it's okay if you don't like it. We're not going to make you eat something you don't like."

"You won't?" Hannah asked.

"Of course not," Will said spooning the rest of Hannah's salad onto his plate.

"My daddy always made me eat stuff I didn't like." Hannah said softly.

"Well, he was very wrong to do that," Frankie said trying to quell her anger.

Hannah nodded. "Can I have another piece of garlic bread?"

"You sure can," Frankie said setting another piece of bread on Hannah's plate.

"I really like this," Hannah bit into it.

"I think I might have another piece too," Frankie said eagerly grabbing another piece from the basket.

"Mark this occasion," Will took a huge bite of salad.

"Shut it, you," Frankie said. "This is a special occasion."

"Right," Will smirked.

They finished their salads and a few moments later, the waitress returned with their entrees. Frankie was having fun watching Hannah take in the new experience of going out to eat and couldn't help smiling as she watched her take a bite of her pizza.

"I love pizza," Hannah said.

"Have you ever tried manicotti?" Will asked her. "Have a bite of this..."

"What's in it?" Hannah asked suspiciously.

"Well, it's a bunch of cheese obviously," Will explained "Wrapped in pasta with marinara sauce." He placed a small bite on Hannah's plate. "Give it a try."

"Okay," Hannah took a tentative bite.

"Good?" Will asked her.

Hannah nodded. "I like it."

Will grinned. "Now you see why I always order it."

"Don't recruit anyone else," Frankie teased him.

"She's just mad because I didn't offer her a bite," Will said winking at Hannah.

"I have my own, William," Frankie speared her ravioli.

"Oh excuse me, Francesca," Will said.

Frankie gave him a good natured kick under the table.

"Ouch," Will said dramatically.

"What did you do?" Hannah peered under the table.

"She kicked my leg under the table," Will said. "Can you believe that, Hannah?"

"No," Hannah said solemnly.

"That didn't hurt, Will," Frankie said rolling her eyes. "You are such a big baby."

Will pushed his lower lip out, making Hannah giggle.

"Big baby," Frankie said shaking her head.

"You're both really silly," Hannah said.

Frankie tickled Hannah's side. "You're pretty silly, too so I think you'll fit in just fine."

"I hope so," Hannah took another slice of her pizza.

"I know so," Frankie said smiling at her.

*** *** ***

Ethan arrived home at his and Maddie's new place after his weekend out of town on assignment with his father. He was looking forward to seeing his wife and spending some time alone with her.

He let himself in the front door and heard her laughing in the sitting room.

"Ethan is that you?" Maddie called out. "You have got to see this!"

"Hey," Ethan smiled at her as he came in. "See what?"

Maddie giggled. "I bought Blue this little obstacle course at the Magical Menagerie. You have got to see him go!"

Ethan chuckled. "All right."

Maddie gave him a kiss hello. "How was work?"

"Kept me busy," Ethan said. "I'm so glad to be home."

"Me too," Maddie said. "Okay, have a seat."

"Hey little guy," Ethan said as Blue flew onto his knee. "Miss me?"

Blue stuck his tongue out at Ethan.

"Blue!" Maddie chastised. "What did we talk about?"

"Is that a good thing or a bad thing?" Ethan asked.

"Well, you know how he's been a little down since we moved in," Maddie explained. "Well, I think he's reverting back to how he was with you before since he's not used to this new place. So, I bought him this little gift so he'd have something to take his mind off of it."

"I see," Ethan scratched between the pixie's ears with his finger. "Ahhhh... you like that don't you?"

Blue cooed.

"That's a good pixie," Maddie said smiling at him.

Ethan laughed. "I've never heard him make that noise before." he set the pixie down on the little course. "All right little guy, let's see how you do on this thing."

Maddie smiled. "On the count of three, Blue. One...two...three..."

Ethan got a kick out of watching the pixie tear through the obstacles. "He's doing good isn't he?"

"He is," Maddie said fondly. "And the witch at the shop said that this will really help him keep fit."

Ethan smirked. "I know what keeps me fit now."

"Ethan!" Maddie giggled hitting him on the arm. "Behave. Drew and Brian are going to be here any minute."

"What's bringing them over?" Ethan pulled her onto his lap.

"Remember?" Maddie asked him. "We were going to listen to RJ's match on the wireless? He's playing Andrew's team tonight. Big, big match."

"I forgot," Ethan said. "Sorry... with everything over this past week I just didn't even think about it."

"That's okay," Maddie said leaning against him. "They're bringing takeaway."

"Chinese?" Ethan gave her a kiss.

"With extra egg rolls," Maddie said with a grin.

Blue stopped performing his trick and flew in between Maddie and Ethan.

"What is it baby?" Maddie asked.

"I think he knows we were neglecting him," Ethan said as Blue flew back down to the course.

"A good snog will have to wait," Maddie rested her head on his shoulder as they watched the little pixie.

"Until tonight," Ethan said getting to his feet. He switched on the wireless so they could listen to the pre-match broadcast. "Hopefully, Andrew will get to play this match."

"I wonder what that would be like," Maddie said. "RJ and Andrew playing against each other..."

"Not too much fun, I gather," Ethan said thoughtfully. "RJ's team's undefeated."

"I just hope my brother wouldn't rub it in Andrew's face," Maddie said.

"Come on, Mads," Ethan said going into the kitchen to grab himself a beer. "RJ's not like that."

"He'd better stay that way," Maddie put Blue back into his cage and set the obstacle course aside. "I made some biscuits earlier."

"That's my girl," Ethan said grabbing one from the plate on the table.

"My favourite and yours," she put her arms around his middle.

Ethan fed her the biscuit. "Delicious?"

"You always taste good to me," Maddie grinned at her husband.

"Mmmm," Ethan said huskily.

"And Quidditch Weekly's rookie-of-the-week two times this season is none other than Puddlemere's own RJ Weasley," the announcer said on the wireless. "Tonight's match will find the rookie taking on his best friend and former team mate, Andrew Kirke Jr. We talked to both players...."

"Uh oh," Ethan said. "Let's hear if they're going to hurl insults."

Maddie took his hand and they went back into the sitting room to listen to the interview.

"Young Andrew Kirke hasn't seen much playing time in the short season," the announcer continued. "But his coaches are high on the former Gryffindor star who has shown promise since the start of the season."

"I'm just trying to work hard and learn what I can from the veterans," Andrew said. "My time will come and I just have to be patient..."

"Patience is key in this game," the announcer joked. "Unless you're RJ Weasley, who has yet to let a Quaffle by him."

Andrew laughed. "He is one of the best players out there, but don't tell him I said that. His head is big enough as it is..."

"He might hear this interview later," the announcer replied, also laughing.

"I guess I'm in trouble then," Andrew laughed.

"Will it be hard playing against your friend after so many years of being on the same team?" the announcer asked.

"I don't think so," Andrew said. "I mean, we keep Quidditch out of our lives away from the pitch."

"So win or lose, you'll still be mates?" the announcer asked.

"Definitely," Andrew replied. "Is it okay if I say hello to friends and family on here?"

"Of course," the announcer replied.

"I'd like to say hello to my mum and dad," Andrew said. "And to my gorgeous girlfriend Saffron, who's listening from school right now."

Ethan rolled his eyes. "Somewhere in Scotland, there's a bushy-haired brunette blushing and squealing..."

"I think it's very sweet," Maddie elbowed him.

Ethan shook his head. "I can see Saffy now...oh, Andrew!"

Maddie grinned. "Are you jealous?" she poked him. "That Andrew didn't say hello to you?"

"No!" Ethan said tickling her.

"Shhhh---RJ's coming on," Maddie said.

"Success has come easy for RJ Weasley, but he's not one to rest on his laurels," the announcer said.

"The schedule's been really rough, but I'm still out on the pitch every morning practising," RJ said. "It's lot tougher than playing at Hogwarts where we just had matches every other weekend."

"Do you miss the power of being captain and having the say over all plays your team made?" the announcer asked. "Or do you like just being a team player?"

"I do, but our team captain Scanlon knows the game better than I do," RJ replied. "And for me, it's all about the team. I'm playing with a great bunch of guys..."

"It's always important to get along with your team mates," the announcer finished. "Right RJ?"

"Definitely," RJ agreed. "And these blokes have treated me like a brother right from the start. The entire Puddlemere organisation is one, big happy family."

"And speaking of families, you come from quite a large one," the announcer said.

"Six brothers and sisters," RJ confirmed.

"That's more than enough for your own team," the announcer joked.

RJ laughed. "Well, me and my brother Jon were the only ones who really play."

"Josh never really cared for flying," Maddie said to Ethan.

"He was too busy drooling over Jules," Ethan said laughing.

"I wish I remembered that better," Maddie replied.

"It was kind of like you and your crush on me," Ethan said. "Only in your case, you got the object of your affection."

"That I did," Maddie grinned at him. "After loads of perseverance."

"And you finally beat me into submission," Ethan joked.

"Kissed you into submission, more like." Maddie closed her eyes and pressed her lips to his.

Ethan wrapped his arms around her and pressed her back onto the sofa. They were so wrapped up in each other, they didn't realise they had an audience until Maddie got a whiff on the takeaway.

"Hiya," Drew said giggling. "Newlyweds..."

"Drew!" Maddie exclaimed. "When did you get here?"

"About five minutes ago," Drew said. "We rang the bell ..."

"Sorry," Maddie blushed. "We um... we haven't seen each other all week."

"Brian and I could go," Drew offered.

"No, no it's fine." Maddie got up and hugged her sister. "How are you feeling? How's the baby so far?"

"Fine," Drew said happily. "We're both fine."

"And she has the appetite to prove it," Brian joked.

Maddie giggled and hugged her future brother in law. "It's good to see you Brian."

"Good to see you, Mads," Brian said. "Looks like you're all settled here."

"It's been a busy week," she nodded. "But I think we have everything set up the way we like it."

"You missed your little brother's interview," Ethan said as he gave Drew a hug.

"Uh oh what did Junior say?" Drew asked.

Ethan laughed. "Basically that he and Jon were the only ones in your family who liked to fly."

"That's pretty much true, aside from Dad," Drew said.

"Girlie girls, eh?" Brian teased.

Drew elbowed him. "Let's eat- I'm starved."

"There's the Weasley family motto," Maddie grinned taking her sister's hand. "Come on, I'll show you what we did with the kitchen."

"I can't wait to see," Drew replied.

Maddie excitedly showed her sister the small renovations she and Ethan had done to the kitchen.

"I love what you've done," Drew said smiling at her younger sister. "This place looks fantastic!"

"Thanks," Maddie grinned. "We had so much fun moving in."

"I find it hard to believe you got any work done at all given that little snog session Brian and I witnessed earlier," Drew teased.

"Stop it," Maddie blushed. "I'm married now; you guys can't give me grief anymore."

"Says who?" Drew asked.

"Me," Maddie laughed.

Drew shook her head. "Not good enough, Mad Dog."

"My husband?" Maddie tried again as she got plates from the cupboard.

"As if we've ever listened to him," Drew chuckled sneaking one of the biscuits from the counter. "Maddie, these are delicious!"

"Thanks," Maddie said. "I had a bit of free time so I made them earlier."

"Your niece or nephew-to-be seems to like them too," Drew said grabbing another biscuit.

"Help yourself," Maddie said. "I can always make more."

"Don't tell Dar, but right now you are my favourite sister," Drew said.

Maddie laughed. "My lips are sealed."

"But not for me," Ethan quipped, coming into the kitchen. He grabbed a few beers from the icebox. "We're going to eat in the sitting room so we can listen to the game, right?"

Maddie nodded. "Drew, what can we get you to drink?"

"Have you got any pumpkin juice?" Drew asked. "If not, water's fine."

"Pumpkin juice it is," Maddie said as Drew took the plates from her.

A few moments later, the two couples were seated in the sitting room listening to the match. RJ was starting as usual, but Andrew wasn't.

"I haven't seen Andrew play before," Brian said. "Is he any good?"

Ethan nodded. "He's not as good as RJ but he holds his own out there."

"Drew tells me your sister is quite good," Brian said. "She's going to play professionally?"

"She wants to," Ethan replied. "And if I know my sister, she'll definitely make it. Saf's very determined."

"She's even better than you were," Drew said as she spooned another helping of rice onto her plate.

"I beg your pardon?" Ethan asked.

Drew gave him a look. "She's the best player in your family, Ethan."

Ethan rolled his eyes. "She's good, but I think me and Dad were better...are better."

Drew looked at Maddie and they both burst out laughing.

"What?" Ethan asked looking at them. "I'll give you that Saf's the best girl player in our family..."

"I bet you she could catch the Snitch faster than you," Drew challenged.

"She has," Maddie said before Ethan could.

"One time," Ethan said defensively. "She did that one time."

"At age 10," Maddie told them.

"I seem to remember a few summers ago you two were playing and she caught it a full four seconds faster than you did," Drew said thoughtfully.

"Come on, Drew," Ethan scoffed. "Dad charmed it so she'd be able to catch it."

"She did not," Maddie nudged him. "Ethan, you can admit that she's better than you at Quidditch. It doesn't make you any less of a man."

"She is not better than me," Ethan said nudging her back. "I could have played professionally. I had offers."

"And I bet Saffy will too once she gets out of school," Maddie returned.

"Admit it, you like her better than me," Ethan pretended to be wounded.

"So much that perhaps I should have married her," Maddie deadpanned, making Drew and Brian snort in laughter.

"Mads," Ethan said snatching an egg roll from her plate. "That's what you get."

"I'll just eat it off your plate," Maddie stuck her fork into it.

Ethan shook his head. "I can't win."

"No one can against Mad Dog," Drew teased. "You should know that by now."

Brian nudged Drew. "Someone from Wimbourne got hurt by a Bludger..."

"Who?" Drew asked.

"Parker," Brian replied.

"...Parker will go to the bench," the announcer was saying. "And young Andrew Kirke will take his place as beater."

"Hey all right," Ethan said. "Andrew's finally got his chance to play!"

"Saffy is probably over the moon right about now," Maddie said with a grin, picturing her sister-in-law sitting by the wireless with a huge grin on her face.

"Oh Andrew," Ethan said in falsetto tone.

Maddie punched him in the arm. "Shut it, you."

"Ow," Ethan laughed. "That actually hurt."

"It was supposed to," Maddie said with a grin. "Ease up on your sister, or I'll tell her and you'll get another howler in the post."

"I thought you'd be on my side," Ethan leaned in and gave her a kiss.

"Think we'll be that way when we're married?" Brian asked his fiancée.

"Probably," Drew answered, taking another egg roll.

"So," Maddie said. "Have you two set a date yet?"

Brian shook his head. "We're thinking we might wait until after the baby is born."

Maddie smiled. "Darla's already made plans, hasn't she?"

"She's already got half the wedding mapped out," Drew said with a laugh.

"It's a bit scary actually," Brian said.

"Get used to it," Ethan told him. "You're marrying a Weasley."

"And what's that supposed to mean?" Drew and Maddie asked in unison.

"Nothing," Ethan held his hands up. "It just means nothing is sacred. I never said it was a bad thing."

"Doghouse, party of one," Drew said laughing. "Potter, party of one."

"Whatever Drew," Ethan replied. "Mads knows I didn't mean anything bad by it, right?"

"We Weasleys are kind of quirky," Maddie admitted. "But it's part of our charm."

"That's it exactly," Ethan gave his wife another kiss.

...Weasley gets in position and blocks the Quaffle," the announcer commented. "And....Merlin's beard! It almost hit Andrew Kirke, but the rookie dodged it just in time...."

"Go Andrew," Maddie cheered.

"...Weasley earns boos from the Wimbourne crowd for that move, but his old team mate waves it off as if saying he knew it was just harmless play..." the announcer continued. "And if you listeners could see our stands today, you'd see that we have a celebrity in our midst. Serena Starr is in attendance and rumour has it that she has RJ Weasley in her sights..."

"Rubbish!" Drew called out. "RJ wouldn't look twice at her."

"She's been to all his matches," Brian pointed out. "That's a bit strange..."

"Well maybe she fancies him, but he's got Alexa," Maddie said.

"I'll kick Junior's arse myself if he messes that up," Drew said. "She's such a sweet girl."

"I love her to death," Maddie nodded. "She really keeps him grounded."

"Merlin knows he needs it," Drew said. "I was worried about him before...”

"During summer hols?" Maddie asked. "Me too, but he seems to have gotten over all that."

"Let's hope so," Drew said. "Paul was a different person when he was with the team. Well, that's probably not the best example. Junior's nothing like Paul."

Ethan rolled his eyes. "We all should hope not. What a wanker."

Maddie handed out the fortune cookies eager to get the conversation away from Paul. "Ethan, you go first."

"My favourite part," Ethan picked one and unwrapped it.

"The smart thing to do is to start trusting your intuition," Ethan read aloud. He crumpled up the piece of paper. "I do that already."

"Sounds like you," Maddie opened hers. "The best place to look is at the beginning," she read. "Whatever that means..."

"Come on, Miss Seer," Drew teased. "You mean, you don't know?"

Maddie crumpled the little slip of paper up and tossed it at her. "What does yours say?"

Drew cracked it open and pulled the piece of paper out. For a few moments, she didn't speak.

"What does it say?" Maddie asked.

"Um," Drew said. "It says that 'Out of true heartbreak will come true happiness'..."

"Well if that wasn't prophetic..." Ethan raised his eyebrows.

Drew looked across the table at her sister. "You don't think it means that there will be more heartbreak, do you? I mean, they're talking about what happened with Paul and Hope, right?"

"There won't be any more heartbreak for you," Brian told her firmly.

"How can you be so sure?" Drew asked putting her hand protectively on her stomach. "I can't lose another baby, Brian...I couldn't take it."

"Nothing bad will happen," Brian put his arms around her. "I just know it Drew. This time, everything's going to be perfect for you."

"You think so?" Drew asked hopefully.

"Absolutely," Brian gave her a kiss. "My turn now," he unwrapped his cookie. "Keep your eyes open for a treasure from your past."

"What do you suppose that means?" Ethan asked curiously.

"If this was a year ago I'd say it was definitely a fortune," Maddie smiled. "But I think Brian's found his treasure."

"I'd agree with that," Brian said giving Drew a kiss.

Drew hugged him tightly for a few moments. "You always make me feel better," she whispered in his ear. "Thank you."

"I love you, sweetheart," Brian said softly.

"Love you," Drew leaned against him.

"Awwww," Maddie gushed.

"You two are so sweet," Ethan batted his eyes.

"Ethan!" Maddie giggled.

"Like you two haven't been all kissy in front of us tonight," Brian joked. "Still on your newlyweds kick?"

"Yes," Ethan said with a grin.

"It hasn't even been a month," Maddie said. "And if it was up to me, we'd have taken more than a two week honeymoon."

"Yes well my taskmaster of a father wouldn't let me have that long," Ethan reminded her.

"Neither would Smythe," Maddie said. "And that's why we've continued it at home," she put her arms around her husband.

"This might be our cue to leave," Brian joked to Drew.

"The game isn't even over yet," Drew said.

"It's a given that Puddlemere's going to win," Ethan replied.

"You guys should stay until the match is over," Maddie said to them.

"If you say so," Drew grinned at her sister. "Got any more of those biscuits?"

"Coming right up," Maddie said. "And how about some ice cream to go with?"

At Hogwarts, a group of Gryffindors had gathered in the common room to cheer on RJ and Andrew. Puddlemere was currently winning the match, but Andrew had played extremely well and Wimbourne was actually giving them quite a match.

"I am so proud of him," Saffron was still glowing from Andrew's greeting to her before the match had started. "He's finally getting the chance to show how good he is and he's playing so well!"

Beth giggled. "I'm still trying to get my hearing back from when you yelled in my ear...."

"Sorry," Saffron said sheepishly. "I was just so excited."

"I think they heard her in New Zealand," Mimi teased.

"I think it's sweet," Alexa grinned at her best friend. "Andrew's really such a nice guy."

"He is pretty great, isn't he?" Saffron asked with a wide smile.

"We all know how wonderful, sweet, and gorgeous Andrew Kirke is," Beth teased her. "Makes us all wish we had one."

"You can't have mine," Saffron giggled.

"....Weasley blocks another goal," the announcer's voice said. "And earns even more cheers from Serena Starr..."

"Ugh," all four girls simultaneously made faces.

"If you were there you'd totally out scream her," Mimi told Alexa. "You are so much better than her Lex."

"Thanks, Meems," Alexa said smiling at her. "The papers are trying to make more out of their friendship than what there really is."

"He's only into you," Saffron said. "And I'd beat him up if he looked at her in any other way than platonically."

Alexa smiled. "I'd do the same for you with Andrew. Well, I'm not that threatening, but I'd do something really bad to him."

Saffron giggled. She had sworn to Alexa that she wouldn't tell a soul about how Alexa and RJ had gotten intimate and she knew because of that, her friend wasn't very worried about Serena Starr.

The match continued and to Saffron's delight Wimbourne was giving Puddlemere all they could handle. The Common Room was split between those pulling for each team and every play was greeted with cheers and then boos.

"It's like I don't know who to root for," Saffron confessed. "Puddlemere because they're my all time favourite team or Wimbourne because Andrew's playing!"

Ewan joined them and smiled shyly at Alexa. "I guess there's no doubt what team you're pulling for, eh Lexie?"

"I'm sort of biased," Alexa joked.

"RJ's really having a great season," Ewan commented.

"He's practised so hard," Alexa told him. "Every day he's out on the pitch."

"...the Wimbourne seeker is in wild pursuit of the Snitch," the announcer reported. "If he catches it, Puddlemere's undefeated record will be no more."

"I wish Andrew was the Seeker," Saffron leaned forward in excitement.

"Travers is reaching for it, but the Puddlemere seeker is flying up fast behind him," the announcer continued. "And he's.....he's got it! Travers has caught the Snitch! Travers has caught the Snitch! Wimbourne wins the match!"

Saffron screamed and jumped up. "Andrew's team won!"

Alexa knew how much RJ hated to lose and she wished she could be there to tell him it was okay and that he'd played a great match.

"Andrew played fantastic," Alexa said giving her friend a hug. "That's really great, Saffy!"

"He's going to be so excited," Saffron glowed.

And he was very excited. At that moment, Andrew was exchanging congratulations with his team mates who were yelling and screaming and doing victory laps around the Pitch.

"Wicked catch, Travers!" Andrew yelled out to his team mate.

"Alright Kirke!" Travers slapped him a high five.

Andrew grinned. He'd finally had the chance to prove himself and he hoped that he'd get more playing time as a result. He only wished Saffron was here to share in the moment. He looked down toward the ground and saw his best friend currently stalking off the field. He hoped his friend wouldn't hold a grudge. RJ had played a great match. But he knew as well as anyone how much RJ hated to lose.

And it wasn't just Andrew who had noticed RJ stalking off the field; Serena Starr quickened her pace to catch him.

"Don't look so sad, RJ," Serena said sympathetically. "You were amazing today."

"Yeah well we still lost," RJ yanked off his gloves. "I can't fucking believe it."

"You want me to kiss it and make it better?" Serena cooed.

RJ shook his head. "Serena--"

Serena smiled seductively at him. "You could come back with me to my place and we could have a drink....and see where the night takes us..."

"If I was to go anywhere, it'd be with my girlfriend," RJ said firmly. Truth be told he was getting a little sick of telling Serena over and over again about Alexa.

"The little girl still stuck in school?" Serena asked with a laugh. "Well, what use is she to you now?"

RJ yanked open the door to the locker room and let it slam behind him.

Serena stood in disbelief at the closed door. She wasn't going to be deterred.

"Relax mate," Scanlon told RJ. "We all lose sometimes."

"Yeah, well I've never liked it," RJ said throwing open his locker.

"We'll go out and drown our sorrows," Scanlon replied. "And this time Murphy can wear the dress."

"Sounds like a plan to me," RJ said with a slight grin.

"That is, of course... unless you want to join that hot piece of ass out there," Scanlon jerked his head in the direction of the door. "She's so hot for you man. Why don't you go for it?"

"I have a girlfriend, Scanlon, remember?" RJ replied grumpily.

"She's at school, you're here," Scanlon shrugged.

"What she doesn't know won't hurt her?" RJ asked him. "That's your reasoning?"

"You said it," Scanlon thumped him hard on the shoulder. "Come on RJ. Don't be such a straight arrow."

RJ thought about what his team mate had said. "You know you're right."

"Yeah!" Scanlon pumped his fist.

"I'm going to Hogwarts," RJ said with a grin. "Right after I get a shower..."

"That's not what I meant, Weasley." Scanlon frowned at him.

"I'm going to spend the night with my girlfriend," RJ said grabbing a towel.

"And how do you plan on doing that?" another team mate named Victor asked.

"Saf's sister is the DADA professor," RJ said. "I'm going to use her Floo connection."

"You're gutsy," Victor replied.

"What if you get caught, hotshot?" Scanlon asked.

"I won't," RJ said easily. "I know my way around that castle like the back of my hand."

Scanlon shook his head. "Good luck, mate."

"I won't need it," RJ bragged. "But thanks anyway."

136. 136

Authors' note: We're sorry to have left you hanging on the Hannah storyline. But hopefully this chapter will make up for it. And you also get to see RJ's attempt to get into Hogwarts. We hope you enjoy. It’s also a chapter that you all have been waiting for as a rather big event happens :D

It was past midnight when he made it to Hogwarts. It wasn't an easy task and he hated breaking into Julie and Nick's house to do it, but desperate times called for desperate measures. Thankfully, Julie was the new head of house for Gryffindor and her fireplace led directly to the Gryffindor common room.

"Yes," he said under his breath as he looked carefully around the common room for any late night students or worse, Peeves.

All too soon, he remembered that boys weren't allowed in the girls' dormitories. "Shite," he cursed.

RJ bit his lower lip. It could be dangerous to knock on the door but it seemed he didn't have any other choice.

Saffron's bed was closest to the door and at the knock, her eyes shot open. She had been having a particularly good dream about Andrew and whoever was at the door was going to have a lot of explaining to do. The second-year boys had been pulling pranks the entire term and she'd had enough. Saffron threw back her covers and yanked open the door. "WHAT?" she hissed.

"Shite," RJ nearly stumbled backward. "Saffy it's just me!" he held his hands up.

Saffron blinked. "RJ?" She rubbed at her eyes. "What the hell are you doing here?"

"I had to come see Lexie," he whispered.

Saffron stared at him in disbelief. "Have you lost your mind?"

"I guess," he shrugged. "Can you get her for me?"

"Do you know how many school rules you've just broken?" Saffron asked him.

"Do you think I care?" RJ replied. "I'm not in school anymore Saffron, so it doesn't matter. Can you please get Lexie for me?"

"Hold on," Saffron said shaking her head as she closed the door. She walked over to her best friend's bed and drew back the curtains to her four-poster bed. "Lex?" she asked gently shaking her.

"Mmm..." Alexa blinked sleepily. "Something wrong Saffy?"

"You have a visitor," Saffron replied. "At the door."

"Huh?" Alexa pushed her hair back. "A visitor?"

Saffron nodded. "And as far as I'm concerned, I've no memory of this taking place. Leave me out of it."

Alexa pulled a robe on over her pyjamas and headed for the door.

RJ didn't even give her time to speak when she opened the door; he pulled her to him and kissed her soundly.

Alexa let out a squeal and at first tried to push him away.

His mouth pressed down firmly against hers and his tongue sought entrance into her mouth.

Alexa realised who was kissing her and gave in completely, wrapping her arms around his neck.

RJ reached around her and pulled the door shut. This was just what he'd needed and Scanlon was right. It was time to stop being a straight arrow.

"RJ..." she breathed. "What are you doing here?"

"I couldn't stay away," he whispered against her neck.

"I'm sorry you didn't win," Alexa closed her eyes as he suckled on her neck.

"Mmmm," RJ murmured.

"We should go somewhere private," Alexa whispered.

"As long as we get there fast," he said his eyes dark as he looked at her.

"Right," Alexa felt weak kneed at the look he was giving her. "Wait here for just a moment." she ran back into the room and went into Saffron's trunk for the invisibility cloak.

"Lexie," Saffron whispered. "This is a bad idea. He shouldn't be here and you know it."

"I know," Alexa whispered. "But he is here and there's no way I'm going to kick him out. Can I please borrow your cloak? I promise to be back before anyone knows I'm gone."

Saffron hesitated for just a moment. "Take it..."

"Thanks Saffy," Alexa said. "Don't worry about us."

"You're both completely crazy," Saffron said before drawing her curtains.

"I got the cloak," Alexa slipped back out of the dormitory. "We can go to the Astronomy Tower."

RJ grinned and kissed her once more. "I love you."

"I love you too," Alexa could hardly believe he was here.

They huddled close together under the cloak and crept out of Gryffindor Tower, stopping every few feet to kiss.

"We're never going to make it if we keep up like this," Alexa giggled quietly.

"I can't help it," he said grinning at her as he quickened his pace.

It wasn't long after that they made it to the tower. As soon as RJ pulled the heavy door shut, he had Alexa in his arms and was kissing her passionately again.

Her head was spinning as he pressed her against the wall. Just a couple of hours ago, she'd been listening to him play on the Wireless and now he was here.

"I've missed you so damn much," RJ pressed his lips to her neck, her shoulders, every bit of skin he could find.

"Show me," she said breathlessly.

He untied her robe, pushing it off her shoulders so it fell in a pool at their feet. She helped him pull off her pyjama top and his own shirt.

He slid out of his own trousers and kicked them away.

"Are you protected?" she asked her breathing erratic.

RJ could barely remember his own name at the moment and he gave her a slight nod, knowing that he wasn't, but thinking it wouldn't hurt if they did it one time without the charm.

"Okay," Alexa lifted her body as he pulled her knickers down.

He pulled her down with him onto the ground, the cloak their cushion.

Part of her was worried they'd get caught, but being with RJ felt so good. His mouth crushed against hers, muffling her cry as he slid into her.

The night air was cool on his skin as he began to move above her.

"RJ..." Alexa moaned softly.

RJ kissed her again to stifle the urge to yell out her name. The idea that they could get caught at any moment was turning him on even further.

They moved together faster, more frenzied, until their bodies were sweaty and they were clinging to each other.

Words failed RJ as he pressed his lips to her forehead.

"You are so incredible," Alexa sighed.

"And that was unbelievable," RJ whispered holding her close. "I don't know if it was because..."

"It's so forbidden?" Alexa smiled at him.

RJ grinned lazily back at her. "Yeah...you....you're getting really good at this."

She blushed. "I should hope so. I've had loads of practise now..." she ran her fingers through his hair. "I can't believe you snuck in here to see me."

"I knew you'd make me feel better," RJ said and then he explained to her how he'd used Julie's floo connection. "It helps to have friends in high places."

Alexa shook her head. "You're very sneaky." she grinned. "I love it."

"I am the nephew of Fred and George Weasley," RJ chuckled. "I picked up a thing or two."

"I happen to think you have a charm that's all your own," Alexa kissed him again. "I'm so happy you're here."

"Took you by surprise, didn't I?" RJ asked tucking a strand of hair behind her ear.

"Very much so," Alexa touched his face. "I really am sorry you didn't win. Saffy was disappointed that Puddlemere lost but she was over the moon about Andrew's team winning."

"I didn't even have a chance to congratulate him," RJ admitted. "I was in such a state about the match; I just took a shower and headed over to Julie and Nick's."

"You were pouting, you mean," Alexa teased.

"Not anymore," RJ said giving her a kiss. "Thanks to Miss O'Leary."

"I knew I was good for something," Alexa said softly.

"You're good for many, many things," RJ said smiling at her.

"So are you," Alexa said. "And not just at Quidditch. You're the best boyfriend in the world and the most handsome guy as well. I'm so lucky to have you."

"You're always going to have me," he whispered. "Lexie, I want you with me all the time."

"I want that too," she said. "I miss having you here."

"Here?" RJ asked kissing her neck. "Or maybe here?" he asked, moving down to her shoulder.

"I want you everywhere," she answered dreamily.

A pang of guilt hit him at the look of love on her face. He should have been honest with her about the protection charm, but he told himself that it would be okay. "Lexie..."

"Hmm?" she asked.

"As much as I'd love to stay here all night, I should probably go," RJ said instead.

"Yeah," Alexa said softly. "I can't fall asleep up here."

"No, you'd be all cold," RJ said sitting up.

"Not with you here," she said as he handed her the pyjamas she'd been wearing.

RJ grabbed his boxer shorts and trousers and quickly put them back on. "I didn't even have a chance to ask you how you were doing. Everything okay?"

Alexa nodded as she slid her robe back on. "I've been busy studying but other than that, nothing's really been going on."

"That's what I like to hear," RJ said throwing on his jumper.

"None of the drama of last year," Alexa joked.

"With Andrew and me gone, I imagine it has gotten pretty boring around here," RJ said with a grin.

"All me and Saffy do is talk about you guys," Alexa laughed. "And Mimi and Beth just fawn over our new headmaster."

"Nice to know some things haven't changed," RJ said as he retrieved the cloak from the ground.

"Not those two," Alexa agreed.

RJ pulled the cloak over them. "I'm so glad I came here instead of going out to drown my sorrows at some pub."

"Me too," Alexa grinned at him. "It's a very, very welcome surprise."

"I wish you could come home with me," he said softly. "When you move in with me, we'll get to see each other every single day."

She was always thrilled to hear those words. "I can't wait." Alexa said softly. "Only another year after this one."

"I'm impatient," he said giving her a kiss. "I want you now."

"You just had me," Alexa purred, wrapping her arms around him.

RJ kissed her and contemplated very seriously having her again. But, he had taken a big chance and he didn't want to get her into any trouble, tempting as it and she might be. "I should walk you back."

"Okay," Alexa said softly. "But next Hogsmeade weekend... it's just you, me and your uncles' flat again."

"I wonder what we could do there," RJ said impishly.

"You think about it while we're apart," Alexa said slyly. "And tell me next time we see each other."

He felt all the blood in his head rush southward at the look in her eyes and the tone of her voice.

"Come on," she pulled the cloak around them. "We don't want to get caught."

"Right," RJ said reluctantly. Together, they huddled close and made their way back to Gryffindor Tower.

"I'm so glad you came tonight RJ," Alexa said when they were at the dormitory. "I'll never forget this."

"I have something for you," he said reaching into his trousers pocket and pulling out a small box.

"What is it?" she asked.

"Open it," he said smiling at her. She did as he asked and gasped when she saw what was inside. "Ethan gave one to Maddie," RJ told her. "And she really loved it and you mean the world to me, Lexie."

"It's a ring," her eyes filled with tears. "You bought me a ring?"

RJ nodded. "Do you like it? I could get another one if you don't..."

"It's beautiful," Alexa whispered. "RJ I love it."

"Really?" he asked.

"Yes," she nodded as he put it on her right hand ring finger.

"Perfect fit," he said softly.

"That's like us," she said. "Always been a perfect fit."

"And always will be," he said giving her a lingering kiss. "Sweet dreams, Lexie."

"I love you RJ," Alexa held onto him for a moment.

"I love you too," he said hugging her tightly before finally letting her go. "I'll write to you later this week, okay?"

"Okay," she said. "Be careful getting back."

"I will," he promised, watching her as she went inside her room.

Alexa practically floated back to her bed. She wanted to wake up Saffron to tell her what had happened, but she knew as well as anyone how Saffron hated to be woken up in the middle of the night.

Alexa had just pulled the covers over her when she felt someone watching her. She pulled back the curtains and nearly got a fright when she saw Beth and Mimi staring at her.

"RJ was here, wasn't he?" Mimi demanded.

"What?" Alexa asked. "What are you two on about?"

"You look just like the cat that ate all the cream," Beth said with a knowing smile. "I knew I heard his voice earlier! And you were gone an awfully long time..."

"And she has that satisfied look to her face," Beth chimed in. "You're shagging RJ! Why didn't you tell us?"

From a few feet away, they heard a muffled groan.

"Will you two please go to sleep!" Saffron huffed. "It's three o'clock in the morning!"

"Saffy your best friend just snuck out with her boyfriend that graduated!" Beth rolled her eyes. "And you're not the least bit curious?"

Saffron was about to retort when Mimi squealed. "What is that on your finger!" she exclaimed pointing at Alexa's right hand. "That's gorgeous!"

"It's nothing," Alexa put her hands under the covers. "Look, I'm tired and I want to go to sleep."

Beth giggled. "I bet you are tired. Shagging will do that to a person..."

"If you two don't bloody go to bed, I'm going to take off points," Saffron was ready to explode.

"Okay, okay," Beth said rolling her eyes. "But we expect full details tomorrow morning, Lexie."

"Whatever," Alexa yanked her hangings shut.

"Night, Lex," Saffron said before stalking back to her own bed.

"Thanks Saffy," Alexa called back before turning on her side. She looked at the ring on her finger and fell asleep with a smile on her face.

*** *** ***

Allison smiled at Emma as she turned the page of the book they'd been reading for the past twenty minutes. The little girl was way into her independent stage and was insistent that SHE read the story instead of having it being read to her. But, she was doing quite well, probably because she knew the story by heart.

Emma squealed when she saw the picture of the Big, Bad Wolf. "See, Mummy?" Emma pointed. "Big Bad Wolf scare Red Hood!"

"That's right sweetheart," Allison grinned. "And what did he say to her?"

"He want to know why she's in the woods!" Emma replied turning the page. "He's so mean!"

"Yes he is," Allison replied. "My little Em's such a good reader."

Emma beamed at her. She was going to read to her father when he came home from work, too. Caroline was sitting on the other sofa doing her homework.

"Mummy, why do we have to do maths?" Caroline asked in exasperation. "I hate them!"

"Because they're important, Angel." Allison rubbed her stomach.

"When you and Em get finished will you help me with mine?" Caroline asked. "You're good with numbers!"

"Sure sweetheart," Allison said.

Emma turned the page of her book and pointed her finger accusingly at the picture of the wolf. "Bad wolf! He's not Red's Gamma!"

"Right," Allison shifted on the sofa. Adam was very active that day and she was growing increasingly uncomfortable.

"You okay, Mummy?" Caroline asked looking up from her homework.

"I'm all right," Allison forced a smile onto her face.

Emma patted Allison's arm. "Red gonna be okay, Mummy. Promise."

"Good to know, baby." Allison replied.

Emma started to "read" aloud again and Allison shifted again in her seat trying to get comfortable.

"Mummy are you sure you're okay?" Caroline asked. "You look like you hurt."

Allison nodded. "I'm okay, baby. How about I order us a pizza for dinner?"

"Yummy," Caroline said happily.

"Em loves pizza," Emma said excitedly.

Allison smiled. "I'll just go and order it." She stood up and when she did so, she felt a slight pain and then felt a gush of liquid against her leg.

"Eww!" Caroline gasped.

Allison moaned and grabbed her stomach. "Caroline," she gasped.

"What is it?" Caroline asked in a scared voice as she jumped off the sofa, her books tumbling to the floor.

"I need you to go to the phone..." Allison tried to speak clearly. "And I need you to ring your father at work and tell him to come home immediately. Tell him I'm going into labour. Can you do that for me sweetheart?"

Caroline nodded and ran for the telephone in the kitchen. Emma's lower lip trembled as she watched her mother struggle to catch her breath. "Mummy?"

"I'll be okay baby," Allison said. "Can you do me a big favour? Can you go get my little bag like Daddy showed you the other day?"

Emma nodded and scrambled off toward her parents' bedroom.

Allison held onto the table as she breathed in and out steadily.

At the pub, Jon was listening to some woman drone on and on about her horrid blind date.

"And he was really gross, too," the woman said with a laugh. "And to think me best mate thought he'd be perfect for me."

"Jon?" Victoria called. "Your daughter's on the phone- she sounds upset."

Jon excused himself and hurried into the backroom where the telephone was.

"Caroline?" Jon asked. "Baby?"

"Daddy," Caroline sobbed. "Mummy stood up and she had water fall out of her, and now she says she hurts and I don't want her to go to sleep again! She says for you to come home right now!"

Jon felt as if his heart was going to stop at his daughter's words. "I--I'm coming home right now, Caroline. Don't worry. You take care of Mummy until I get there okay?"

"Okay Daddy but hurry," Caroline begged.

Jon hung the phone up and tried to get control. Being like this wouldn't help anyone, but he was scared that what had happened before would happen again.

"I have to go," he apologised to Victoria. "Al's in labour."

"Go!" Victoria waved him on. "Get home and take care of that gorgeous wife of yours."

Jon ran out of the pub and down the alley until he could find a place to Apparate.

Emma had just managed to drag her mother's suitcase into the sitting room as Caroline tried to stave off her tears. She was never so relieved to see her father rush into the room as she was at that moment.

"Daddy!" Caroline exclaimed running toward him. "I'm scared!"

"It's okay Angel," Jon said, looking anxiously at his wife.

"Em got bag for Mummy," Emma said her cheeks tear-stained.

"That's a good girl," Allison said. "We should get to the hospital. My contractions already aren't too far apart."

Jon nodded and set Caroline down. "Come on, Al..."

"It'll be okay girls," Allison got up with the help of her husband. "This happens every time a woman has a baby."

Caroline was still scared though as she grabbed her cloak and Emma's from the closet. She could still see her mother lying in that hospital bed fast asleep and her father telling her that she might not wake up again.

"I'll ring my parents and yours once we get you settled in at the hospital," Jon said. "You doing okay so far Al?"

Allison nodded and bit her bottom lip as another contraction hit her.

It wasn't long before she was settled in a private hospital room. "Mummy?" a pale faced Caroline was sitting next to her bed. "I'm scared you'll go to sleep again."

Allison held out her hand and Caroline took it. "Everything's going to be okay, sweetheart. This is normal."

"It is?" Caroline asked.

Allison nodded. "Aunt Lizzy's going to make sure that nothing happens to me this time."

"Me and Em really love you," Caroline slipped her other hand into her mother's. "And we love Adam too."

"I love you both so much," Allison said softly. "And Adam is just so ready to meet his big sisters."

"I just wish you didn't have to hurt," Caroline said quietly as she wiped at her eyes.

"Me too," Allison said smiling at her. "I would much rather be helping you with your maths."

"Yuck," Caroline finally smiled a little.

Jon paced nervously in front of the window as Emma watched him with wide eyes. She wasn't really quite sure what was going on and she wanted to crawl up beside her mother and give her a big hug.

"Daddy?" she asked. "Is Mummy okay?"

Jon stopped and looked down at his youngest. "What, Em?"

"Is Mummy okay?" Emma asked, reaching out for him.

Jon picked her up. "Yes, baby girl. She's...she's okay."

Emma buried her face in his shoulder. "Em's scared."

Jon patted her back. "Daddy is too, baby. But your mummy's at the best hospital in the entire world and they're going to make sure that she's going to be okay."

"Can we stay with Mummy all night? Emma asked.

"Please, Daddy?" Caroline asked.

"We'll see," Jon said. "You girls might wind up staying at Grandma and Grandpa's tonight."

"Gamma Lu's?" Emma asked.

"Sure," Jon nodded.

Lizzy came into the room and she smiled at the girls. "I heard that you princesses were in here."

"Hi Aunt Lizzy," Caroline said quietly.

Lizzy did a preliminary examination of Allison. "How far apart are your contractions?" Lizzy asked.

"About four minutes now," Allison said, bracing herself for another one. "Liz- is there anything for my girls to draw on? I'd love to have a picture to focus on once Adam starts making his way out." it was her way of saying she didn't want her daughters around while she was in pain.

Lizzy nodded knowingly. "Caroline, Emma? How would you like to go out to the waiting room? Aunt Chiaki is out there and she can bring you to my office where you can draw a pretty picture for your mummy."

"You won't go to sleep, right Mummy?" Caroline asked. "Promise?"

Allison nodded. "I promise."

"Okay," Caroline said. "I love you Mummy."

"Em loves Mummy too," Emma said from Jon's arms.

"I love you too, girls," Allison said as a tear rolled down her cheek.

"Your vital signs are excellent," Lizzy said once Caroline and Emma were gone. "And Adam's are fine as well. I think this birth is going to go perfectly, Allie."

"Really?" Allison asked hopefully.

"Absolutely," Lizzy said reassuringly. "Would this face lie to you?" she grinned.

Allison laughed. "No, it never has."

Jon felt slightly better at Lizzy's words but he was still worried. Things were supposed to go smoothly last time and he had almost lost his wife.

"I have a couple more patients I have to check on, but I'll be right back," Lizzy promised. "I'll have the nurse bring in some ice chips."

"Thanks Liz," Allison said gratefully.

Lizzy patted Jon on the shoulder before walking out of the room.

"Anything I can get you Al?" Jon asked. "Any way I can make you more comfortable?"

Allison looked thoughtfully at him. "Is there any way you could go through the labour part instead?"

"I would if I could," Jon said, taking her hand. "You know I would Allie."

She smiled up at him. "Hey, you heard Lizzy. Adam and I are just fine."

Jon nodded. "I just don't know if I'd be able to handle it if anything happened to either of you."

"You're stronger than you think," Allison said softly. "And if something did happen, you'd need to be there for the girls, Jon."

"I know," Jon replied quickly.

Allison gripped his hand tightly as another contraction hit her.

"Breathe," Jon coached her. "Squeeze my hand as tightly as you need to Al..."

Allison nodded. "You may live to regret that, Jon."

"Nah," Jon smiled at her. "I love you too much to regret anything that involves my Allie."

The nurse came in with a bucket of ice chips and she prepped Allison for the labour. Lizzy came back in a few moments later carrying two pictures.

"As requested, Allie," Lizzy said holding them out to her.

"Ohhh..." Allison took them. "These are gorgeous. Will you tell them how much I love them?"

The nurse smiled. "I'll do it, Healer Weasley." Lizzy nodded at the nurse.

"Thank you," Allison smiled but it turned into a grimace as another contraction hit her.

"Let me give you something for the pain," Lizzy said reaching into her pocket and pulling out a vial filled with a light blue liquid.

"That sounds wonderful," Allison breathed a sigh of relief. "Thanks Liz."

Jon wanted to go and check on the girls, but he didn't want to leave Allison.

"Your parents are outside," Lizzy said as she handed the vial to Allison. "And your sisters."

"Can I see them?" Allison asked. "For just a few minutes?"

"Of course," Lizzy said. "I'll go and get them."

"And the girls too!" Allison called. "Please?"

Lizzy nodded and left the room. She returned a few moments later with Neville and Cho who were with the girls.

"How you doing, sweetheart?" Neville asked his daughter.

"Better now that Lizzy gave me a potion for the pain," Allison smiled. "And everything's going perfectly Dad... not like last time."

"That's what we like to hear," Neville said leaning down and kissing his daughter on the cheek.

"I'm so glad you're here," Allison said to her parents.

"We are too," Cho said softly. "And we can't wait to meet Adam Jonathan."

"Me too," Allison smiled at her daughters. "I love my pictures."

Caroline still wore a worried expression and Allison's heart broke at the look on her oldest daughter's face. "I'm wide awake, Angel."

Caroline nodded. "I'm glad Mummy."

"And next time we see each other," Allison said smiling reassuringly at her. "You'll get to meet your baby brother."

Caroline smiled. "I'm really excited." she held her sister's hand. "So's Em..."

Emma nodded and rubbed her tummy. "And hungry."

The little girl's statement made everyone laugh. "Well then," Neville picked her up. "How about we head for the cafeteria?"

"Kay," Emma said happily.

"I'll see you in just a little bit," Allison promised. "You can come back in to see Adam."

Neville carried Emma out of the room, but Caroline lingered with her grandmother.

Cho smiled at her daughter. "I can't believe you're about to make me a grandmother again," she teased.

"Daddy always said he hoped I had three just like me," Allison said with a grin. "So I'd understand what he went through."

"You do," Cho smoothed back Caroline's hair. "You already have two wonderful girls who were a big help today."

"They certainly were," Allison reached for her daughter's hand.

"I love you, Mummy," Caroline sobbed. "Please don't go away."

"Baby," Allison pulled her little girl into her arms. "I'm not going anywhere. I promise you."

Caroline buried her face in Allison's shoulder.

"Its okay sweetheart," Allison stroked her hair. “I’m not even hurting right now.”

Caroline looked up at her mother. "Really, you're not telling a story?"

"I promise," Allison touched her daughter's cheek.

Caroline gave her mother one last hug. "No matter what, don't fall asleep, okay?"

"Okay baby," Allison said. "I love you so much."

"I love you too," Caroline said sliding off the bed. She took Cho's hand and together they walked out of the room. Allison wiped the tears away. Truth be told, she was quite nervous too. But, she knew that Lizzy was optimistic and she trusted her best friend.

"She's really worried," Jon gazed after their daughter.

"I didn't think she would remember what had happened," Allison said softly. "She was four and she didn't really understand..."

"She just knew her mother was sick," Jon reached for his wife's hand. "Plus we were all nervous wrecks as well."

Allison squeezed his hand. "I don't remember much about it. I just knew I was in a lot of pain and that you were there and Lizzy was telling me to push and I was so knackered. I didn't think I could do it and then everything went black..."

"That won't happen this time," Jon vowed. "And I'll be here every step of the way Al."

"I'll try and not squeeze your hand too tight or say bad things about you during the labour," Allison smiled.

"You can never say bad things about me," Jon joked. "And squeeze as hard as you want. I don't care."

Allison laughed. "You do remember when I was in labour with Caroline? I told you that you could never come near me ever again and that it was your fault I was in such pain!"

"That didn't last," Jon snorted. "You can't stay away from me Allie. I'm just too damn sexy."

Lizzy had walked back into the room and caught the last part of their conversation. "I so didn't need to hear that."

"Just making my wife feel better is all," Jon gave her a saucy grin.

"Okay, Boo Bear," Lizzy said with an eye roll at her brother-in-law. She walked over to Allison. "How's it going?"

"Okay," Allison replied. "Thanks to that potion."

Lizzy nodded. "It's going to start wearing off a little, but it should ease some of the pain during the labour. Contractions are coming about two minutes apart, right?"

"Right," Allison nodded.

"You’re about eight centimetres dilated," Lizzy said after performing an examination. "When you've reached ten, we'll get started."

"I'm going to see who's here," Jon said. "I'll be back in just a minute, okay?"

Allison nodded. "Tell everyone I said hello and that I'm really happy they're here."

"I'll just keep them posted," Jon gave his wife a kiss.

Jon walked out into the waiting area and saw Frankie and Chiaki talking on one of the sofas. Emma was back from the cafeteria and was eating a bag of crisps under the watchful eye of Neville. Ron was talking with Josh and they both looked up when they saw him emerge.

"How's Allie?" Ron asked.

"So far so good," Jon replied. "She's almost ready to give birth."

"Your mum sends her love," Ron said. "But she couldn't leave the kids."

"I understand," Jon assured him.

Emma toddled over to her father and held up her crisp bag. "Want one, Daddy?"

"I'm okay baby," Jon lifted her up. "Are you having fun with Grandpa?"

Emma nodded. "Uncle Will took Sissy to get some food."

"That was awful nice of him wasn't it?" Jon gave his daughter a kiss. "I'm going to go back and sit with Mummy, okay?"

"Em see Mummy," Emma said happily.

Jon smiled. "You'll get to see Mummy AND Adam in just a little while."

"Em still baby," Emma said poking her bottom lip out. "Not Ad-am."

"You're about to be a big sister," Jon reminded her.

"Em baby, Daddy," Emma said stubbornly. "Em baby!"

"Okay," Jon said. "You're still the baby."

Emma threw her arms around his neck. "Em love Daddy."

"I love you too Em," Jon kissed her cheek again. "You go sit with Grandpa until I come back out, all right?"

"Kay," Emma said as he set her down. She scowled when she saw Ron had picked up her bag of crisps. "Gampa! NO!"

"I was just going to have one," Ron said.

"He had about four," Neville told his granddaughter.

"Gampa," Emma wagged her finger. "No pig!"

The waiting room erupted in laughter and Ron glared at Neville. "Thanks, Nev."

Jon was still chuckling when he went back into his wife's room.

"What's so funny?" Allison asked.

"Little Red Snacking Hood reading my father the riot act," Jon explained.

Allison smiled. "Contractions are only about a minute apart now."

Jon sat back down beside her bed. "Can I get you anything, Al?"

"Just stay with me," Allison said. "I'm still a little bit nervous."

"You're going to be just fine," Jon said leaning in. "You're so brave, sweetheart. I didn't want to take this chance, but you did. And we're going to meet our little boy soon."

"I can't wait," Allison kissed him. "Our little Adam Jonathan."

A few minutes later, Lizzy came into the room and announced that it was time. She positioned herself at the end of the bed. "Allie, you're an old pro at this," Lizzy said encouragingly. "Third time's the charm, right?"

"Right," Allison ignored the twinge of fear she felt and put all her concentration on her unborn son.

"Okay," Lizzy said. "I want you to push now, Allie."

"Jon?" Allison reached for his hand. "Stay with me, okay?"

Jon nodded. "I'm not going anywhere, Al."

Allison nodded, beads of sweat forming on her forehead as she pushed hard.

"Good," Lizzy said encouragingly.

Jon wiped his wife's brow with a cold rag. "Breathe, sweetheart."

"I'm trying," Allison panted.

"You're doing great," he said smiling at her.

"Push, Allie," Lizzy urged.

Allison bit down on her lower lip and did as Lizzy said.

Allison looked helplessly at Jon. She was completely knackered and the potion Lizzy had given her earlier had completely worn off.

"I can't," Allison said breathlessly. "I can't do this..."

"Yes you can," Jon said. "Come on Allie. You're the strongest woman I know."

"I can see his head," Lizzy said. "Allie...push for me. You can do this."

"Come on Al," Jon put his free arm around her shoulders and put his head next to hers. "Come on... I'm right here. You can do this Allie. Let's meet our son."

Mustering every ounce of strength she had, Allison pushed letting out a guttural moan as she did so.

"Come on Al," Jon kissed the side of her head. "Come on... here he comes..."

Allison pushed once more and she waited for the sound of her son's cries.

"There he is," Lizzy cried triumphantly as she held Adam in her hands. "Allie, Jon... Here’s your son!"

Allison started to cry as she looked at him. "Can I hold him?" she sobbed.

"Let's get him cleaned up first," Lizzy said handing the baby to the nurse.

Jon gave his wife a kiss. "You were amazing, Al."

"I was?" she asked, tears coursing down her face.

"Absolutely," he said smiling at her. "I love you so much, Allie."

"I love you too," She wiped at her eyes. "Where's Adam, Jon? I need to see him."

"Right here," Lizzy said carrying the bundled baby over to his parents. "He's beautiful, Allie."

"Thanks Lizzy," Allison took her baby. "Oh Jon," she sighed. "Look at him..."

Jon smiled down at his son whose eyes were still closed. He had a thatch of brown hair and he was so tiny and pale. "He has my nose," Jon said getting choked up.

"He's so handsome, just like his daddy," Allison said softly. "He's perfect..."

Adam opened his eyes and stared up at his parents. "Hello, Adam Jonathan," Jon said touching his son's soft cheek. "I'm very pleased to meet you."

"I finally get to see the little guy that's been kicking me for nine months," Allison smiled down at him.

Jon chuckled. "He is pretty perfect, isn't he?"

"Completely," Allison agreed. "And I'm okay..."

Jon gave her a kiss. "Yes, you are."

"You should let the girls know," Allison cuddled Adam close. "Liz, can they come in here yet?"

"For a few minutes," Lizzy said nodding.

"I'll get them," Jon gave her a kiss. "Be right back."

Emma was fast asleep on her grandmother's lap while Caroline was reading a book determined not to go to sleep just in case something had happened. Her heart sank when she saw her father come into the room. But, he was smiling, she suddenly noticed.

"Daddy," she got up. "Is Adam here yet? Is Mummy okay?"

Jon nodded and gave her a big hug. "Your brother is here and your mummy is just fine, Angel."

Caroline clung to him. "Can we go see them?"

"We sure can," Jon said. "Let me get your sister..."

Since Jon's hands were full, Frankie stepped forward to help. "Em? Sweetheart, wake up..." Frankie said kneeling down in front of her niece.

"Frack?" Emma asked sleepily.

Frankie nodded. "Do you want to meet your little brother?"

"Adam's here?" Emma asked. "Where's Mummy?"

Frankie picked her up. "She's waiting to see you, Em. Come on."

"Kay," Emma said.

Jon and Frankie carried the girls to Allison's room. Caroline beamed when she saw her mother sitting up in her bed and holding Adam.

"Hi, girls." Allison said grinning at them.

"Mummy you're still awake!" Caroline said happily.

Allison nodded. "And so is your little brother. Come and see."

"Oooh," Emma said. "He's so little!"

Frankie tickled Emma's side. "So were you, Em."

"Mummy he's so cute," Caroline squealed.

Adam smacked his lips which caused Emma to laugh. "Em loves Adam."

"I'm glad to hear that baby," Allison grinned at her.

"I never got to be a big sister," Frankie said to Emma. "I'm jealous that you get to do that, Em."

"Where's Han?" Emma suddenly asked her.

"She's at your Grandma Luna's," Frankie replied.

"I want Han to see Adam," Emma said.

"Me too," Frankie said thinking of her. "She'll get to meet him soon. I promise."

Caroline gingerly touched her brother's head. "He's so soft. Em was like this too..."

Allison nodded. "And so were you."

"I don't remember that far back," Caroline smiled at her mother.

Lizzy walked back into the room. "I'm sorry, guys. But, Allie needs her rest and I need to take Adam to the nursery."

"You're going to sleep?" Caroline suddenly looked alarmed.

"This is a good kind of sleep," Lizzy explained to her niece. "She had to work really hard to get the baby out and now she just needs some rest."

"Promise?" Caroline didn't look reassured.

"I promise," Lizzy said with a nod. "Your mummy is just fine."

Caroline hugged her mother carefully. "I'll see you when you wake up."

"Yes you will," Allison promised. "You be good for your grandparents, okay?'

"We will," Caroline nodded.

"Em loves Mummy," Emma also leaned in to kiss her mother's cheek.

"Mummy loves Em," Allison said softly. "And Caroline and Adam very, very much."

"Bye Adam," Emma waved to her little brother.

Frankie led the girls out of the room and Lizzy stood back so Allison could say goodbye to her son.

"You get some sleep, little one," Allison said. "And we'll see each other really soon."

Jon watched Lizzy carry his son out of the room. "You did great Al," he brushed back her hair. "I'm really proud of you."

Allison yawned. "Thanks, Jon."

"Get some rest," he kissed her forehead. "I'll be right here when you wake up."

Allison smiled. "You get some sleep too. It's been a long day for all of us."

"I'll crash in the chair," Jon said. "I'm not leaving here until you do."

"Okay," Allison said closing her eyes.

Jon stayed next to her until she was asleep then sat down in the chair. It wasn't very comfortable, but he would make do.

He didn't know how many prayers he'd said throughout Allie's pregnancy and throughout the labour.

It was all worth it though, he thought before he went to sleep. His wife was fine and he now had a healthy son.

*** *** ***

Due to the recommendations of Mrs. Roman, Hermione, Ron, and Luna, the process to adopt Hannah was going quite smoothly for Will and Frankie. There were still a few steps left for them, the first being a visit to Hannah's biological father to get him to sign the papers.

"Let me do most of the talking," Will said to his wife. "Frankie, don't say anything to provoke this guy, all right?"

Frankie nodded. "The quicker this goes the better."

"Right," Will nodded.

They walked up the front steps of the Muggle prison. She wasn't looking forward to meeting this horrible man and she hoped that he would just sign the papers and that would be it. But she couldn't help feeling that he wasn't going to make this easy on them.

Mrs. Roman met them just inside. "Good morning," she greeted. "It's lovely to see you both again."

Will shook her hand. "You too."

"David Wright is waiting in the visitor's area," Mrs. Roman told them. "We only have fifteen minutes."

Will took Frankie's hand. "You ready?"

Frankie nodded. She sincerely hoped that she'd be able to hold her tongue if this man said anything about Hannah.

After they went through a security check, they were led to the visitor's room where a man in a dark blue jumpsuit was sitting. His eyes looked cold and his stare was menacing. Frankie shivered as she took in the man who was Hannah's father.

"Mr. Wright," Mrs. Roman said in a cool, businesslike voice.

David grunted and leaned back in his chair.

"I assume you've been told why we're here," Mrs. Roman continued.

"Abbie's brat," David muttered. He looked across the table at Frankie and Will. "She's more trouble than she's worth."

"She's a beautiful, sweet little girl," Frankie said sharply. "Not that you'd know."

David laughed. "You a freak like her then?"

"That is of no importance to you," Mrs. Roman said. "We're here for you to sign these papers releasing Hannah from you so she can be adopted."

David grabbed the papers from Mrs. Roman and scanned over them. Frankie and Will exchanged a look as they watched the man.

"I'm not signing these," he tossed them onto the table.

137. 137- please read both authors notes at top and bottom!!!

Well along with this chapter, we have a Sims update! Please check out http://dirtydancing.portkey.org and see what new ones we have out there. We’ve added Hannah, Gabriel, Beth, Mimi, Brian, Hans, Serena and Samantha. Also make sure you check out the Potter’s page for a new pic of Maddie as well as Alexa on the Misc page.

This chapter deals mostly with F/W/H but there’s also some M/E and some flashback stuff. Also, please check out the end of this chapter for a new feature we’re going to do! Please review!

Frankie gaped at him.

"Why not?" Will asked the other man. "If you're worried that we won't give her a good home..."

"I don't give a shit about that," David leaned forward, an evil glint in his eyes. "That little brat caused me more trouble than Abbie. What I want to know is what's in it for me?"

"Mr. and Mrs. Barron are in no position to offer you any sort of deal," Mrs. Roman said crisply. "Mr. Wright, you are going to be spending the rest of your life in prison. Do this one thing for your daughter and let her go."

David only sneered and shook his head. "What's in it for me?" he repeated.

"What do you want?" Will asked angrily. "Hmm? Enlighten us."

David laughed derisively. "Smokes, for one. And how about a one way ticket out of this shithole?"

"For what you did to your wife and daughter, you deserve to rot in here," Will retorted. "My wife and I aren't going to give you anything."

"Then I'm not giving you anything," David leaned back.

"Mr. Wright, as I said, you are in no position to negotiate here," Mrs. Roman said putting an arm on Will's shoulder before he could launch himself across the table at the prisoner.

"I don't feel I'm in a position where I have to sign anything," he drawled.

Frankie shook her head. "You really are a miserable human being."

"Who holds all the cards here," his smile made her skin crawl.

"I can see we're not going to get anywhere," Mrs. Roman said nodding at the guard.

"Will," Frankie looked at her husband in a panic as David was led out of the room.

"I'm sorry," Mrs. Roman apologised. "But I had a feeling that this would happen. He's not very easy..."

"He's a bastard," Will said simply.

Mrs. Roman nodded. "I agree with you," she put the papers back into her briefcase. "I'll see what I can do about going around getting his signature." she said.

"But what are we going to tell Hannah?" Frankie asked softly. Her chest was so heavy with disappointment she thought she was going to burst into tears at any moment.

"We'll tell her that it's just going to take a bit longer than expected," Will said pulling his wife into his arms. "We're going to adopt her, Frankie."

"We have to," Frankie bit her lower lip. "We just have to have her."

"We will," Will told her.

"I'll go start on this right away," Mrs. Roman said. "I'll be in touch very soon." she shook both their hands. "I'm terribly sorry that it didn't go the way we planned."

Frankie nodded and she sank back into her chair when she and Will were alone. "I can't believe that man! He doesn't care one jot about Hannah!"

"No he doesn't," Will said grimly. "I'd like to bash his face in." he sighed. "Come on... we should go break the news to Luna and Ron."

Frankie nodded. They hadn't told Hannah they were meeting with her father today. What was worse was that Hannah kept asking when she'd be able to go home with them forever and it broke Frankie's heart every time she told her it would be a bit longer.

Will squeezed his wife's hand. "I know you're disappointed baby," he said. "But I know we're going to make this work. It's going to go our way eventually."

Frankie wanted to believe that, but David wasn't going to make this easy for them.

At Ron and Luna's, Hannah was helping with Caitlin who was now starting to crawl. Luna had set up a blanket in the sitting room and the baby was crawling toward Hannah.

"Come on, Cait," Hannah urged. "You can do it."

"Oooooh..." Caitlin puckered her lips as she put one hand in front of the other.

Hannah giggled and looked over her shoulder at Luna.

"She's so cute," Hannah said smiling at her foster mother.

"Yes she is," Luna smiled back at her. "And it's very sweet of you to play with her."

Hannah didn't want the baby to feel left out when Jenny was always outside with the boys playing. Occasionally, Hannah would join in, but today she'd wanted to help out with the baby. And she always liked it when Caitlin would loop her chubby hand around Hannah's pinky finger.

"Luna?" Hannah asked. "Do you think Frankie's coming over today?"

Luna chose her words carefully. She didn't want to upset Hannah by telling her where Will and Frankie were today. "They'll be stopping by later."

"Do you think I'll get to go live with them yet?" Hannah asked innocently as Caitlin rose up on all fours and rocked back and forth.

"Not just yet, sweetheart," Luna replied sitting down beside Hannah. "But hopefully it won't be much longer."

"I hope not," Hannah looked away in disappointment.

Luna put an arm around her. "I know it's hard, sweetheart, but you know that Will and Frankie are doing everything they can to make it happen."

Hannah nodded. "Are Caroline and Emma coming back over here to spend the night while their mummy is with the new baby?"

"They might during the weekend," Luna replied. She smiled as she remembered how much fun the three girls had that night while Allie was in hospital. "You enjoyed your little slumber party, didn't you?"

Hannah nodded. "Caroline and Em are a lot of fun. I'm glad they're my friends."

"They feel the same way about you," Luna said as Caitlin held out her arms. Luna pulled the little girl into her lap. "Did all that crawling tire you out, little one?"

"I think she wants to take a kip," Hannah smiled at the baby.

"I think so too," Luna said getting to her feet. "I'll go and put her down. Then, I'll make us some lunch. How does that sound?"

"Can I help?" Hannah asked.

"That would be lovely," Luna said motioning for Hannah to follow her upstairs.

Hannah followed Luna upstairs and helped her put Caitlin into the crib. "Can we have mac and cheese for lunch?" she put her hand into Luna's.

"Only if you help me make it," Luna said squeezing Hannah's hand.

She nodded eagerly. "We'll make a lot for everybody."

"Good idea," Luna said. "You know you have all the makings to be a good chef, Hannah."

"I do?" Hannah brightened.

Luna nodded. "I certainly think so."

They were in the middle of fixing the macaroni and cheese when they heard the fireplace whoosh to life. "Hello?" Will called out.

"In the kitchen!" Hannah called back excitedly.

"Something smells really good in here," Will grinned at her. Frankie tried to smile, but it looked more like a grimace.

"You're just in time," Luna said. "Lunch should be ready in a few minutes."

Hannah wiped her hands on the apron that Luna had shrunk to fit her. "You'll eat some won't you, Frankie?"

"Sure," Frankie hugged the little girl.

"Caitlin is crawling all over the place," Hannah said excitedly. "And she looks so cute. Wait until you see it!"

"I can't wait," Frankie was able to smile more easily.

"Hannah?" Luna asked. "Why don't you see run and get the others from outside? Tell them to come inside and wash up for lunch?"

"Okay," Hannah replied. "Frankie will you come with me?"

"Of course," Frankie said taking Hannah's hand. She knew Will would fill Luna in on what had happened with David.

"Things didn't go so well?" Luna asked him as Frankie left with Hannah. "I can tell by the look on Frankie's face."

Will shook his head. "He refused to sign the papers and he expects us to do something for him in return."

"Do something?" Luna asked quizzically. "Like what?"

"Cigarettes, money, a way out of prison," Will said leaning against the counter. "You name it and he wants it."

"What a horrible man," Luna shook her head as she waved her wand to set the table.

"Mrs. Roman said she was going to see if there was a way around getting him to sign, but I just don't know," Will said. "It's just one setback after another and I don't know what Frankie will do if this doesn't come through, Luna."

"I'm sure it will," Luna said encouragingly. "It's just going to take time."

"But how much?" Will asked as Frankie and Hannah returned followed by the other children. He chuckled when he saw how dirty Joey and Zach were. "What did the two of you get into?"

"We were making mud pies," Zack explained. "Joey was trying to get Jenny to eat one."

"You didn't, did you, Jenny?" Luna asked in alarm.

Jenny shook her head. "I'm not stupid like Joey."

"That's because you're a big baby," Joey said shoving her.

"You are," Jenny retorted shoving him back.

"Hey," Luna said sternly. "What did we tell you both about pushing each other?"

"Not to do it," Jenny replied dutifully. "I'm sorry, Luna."

Luna nodded. "Joey?"

Joey looked down at his feet. "Not to do it."

"I'd appreciate it if you'd apologise to Jenny," Luna said.

"I'm sorry, Jenny," Joey grumbled.

"I'm sorry too," Jenny said. "What's for lunch?"

"Mac and cheese," Luna replied. "You three need to go upstairs to the loo and clean up."

"Yum," Zack declared as he raced for the loo.

Frankie laughed "I don't see what the fun is in playing in the mud. They were knee deep in it when Hannah I found them."

"I thought it was good for your skin," Hannah looked up at her. "Remember when Em put it on my face?"

"Well, that kind of mud is good," Frankie explained. "But regular old mud is not good."

"Oh," Hannah replied.

"I played in the mud when I was their age and I turned out okay," Will said as he sat down at the table.

"More than okay," Frankie grinned at her husband.

"How....how much longer before I can go home with you?" Hannah asked shyly.

Frankie's smile disappeared. "I... I don't know..."

"Before Christmas?" Hannah asked hopefully. "Remember? We were going to have a real Christmas tree with real presents?"

"I hope so sweetheart," Frankie brushed back Hannah's fringe, which was growing long and falling into her eyes.

"Why don't you show Hannah the pictures of Adam?" Will suggested. "Since she hasn't met him yet."

"Sure," Frankie reached into her bag. "Luna, Allie had me bring this one over for you," she handed the blonde a framed picture of the newborn Adam and his two sisters.

Luna gushed over the photograph. "Look at them!"

"They make a cute bunch don't they?" Will chuckled.

"They do," Luna said. "How's Emma doing with the whole baby thing?"

"Better," Frankie replied. "She's totally enamoured of Adam. I think she's amazed with something smaller than her."

Luna laughed. "I knew she'd come round."

"Can I see?" Hannah asked, tugging on Frankie's arm.

Frankie handed her the photo. "What do you think?"

Hannah smiled. "He's really cute."

"He's quite the charmer," Frankie agreed.

Hannah looked wistfully at the picture. She'd always wanted sisters and brothers.

"What's wrong?" Frankie asked.

"Nothing," Hannah gave her the picture.

"They're going to be your cousins," Frankie said smiling at her. "You're going to have a big family, Hannah."

"I can't wait," Hannah said honestly. "I wish they were my cousins today."

"Soon," Frankie said softly. "Soon."

When the three other children joined them, they all tucked in to their lunch.

"Hannah you made this?" Jenny asked. "It's really yummy!"

Hannah blushed. "I helped make it."

"She did most of it," Luna corrected. "And I think it's a big hit."

"Best I've ever had," Will said raising his glass to Hannah.

Hannah blushed even more deeply. "Thanks," she said shyly.

"It is really good," Joey admitted. "Better than the porridge they fed us in the orphanage."

"That stuff was pretty gross," Jenny agreed.

"I didn't like it either," Hannah said.

"Did you ever have that horrible brown thing?" Jenny asked her. "I'd rather eat paste!"

"Joey ate one of those once," Zack said with a laugh.

"Because you dared me to," Joey said defensively.

"We get to eat really good food here," Zack changed the subject quickly.

"Has Hannah made you guys her famous chocolate chip biscuits yet?" Will asked.

Jenny nodded. "Those are really good!"

Hannah blushed as Frankie smiled at her. "I only made them one time."

"I was telling her just before you arrived how she has the makings of a good chef," Luna said to Frankie and Will.

"She certainly does," Frankie said softly.

"Can we make some more biscuits today, Luna?" Hannah asked hopefully.

"Sure," Luna agreed. "That sounds like fun."

The boys excused themselves to go back outside and Jenny asked Hannah if she wanted to watch television.

"Okay," Hannah said. "You won't leave yet, right?" she looked anxiously at Frankie and Will.

"Of course not," Frankie promised.

Hannah gave her a tight hug.

"You have fun with Jenny," Frankie said encouragingly. "And we'll be in here with Luna, okay?"

"Okay," Hannah said before scampering out of the room.

Frankie looked at Will. "Maybe we should do something..."

Will could read his wife's mind. "We're not giving that man anything, Frankie."

"But how else are we going to get him to release her?" Frankie rubbed her forehead.

"We'll find some other way, but we're not going to negotiate with him," Will told her.

"Will's right, Frankie," Luna said gently.

"I'm just so tired of waiting," Frankie burst out. "Why does it have to be so hard?"

"I wish I had answers for you," Luna said thoughtfully. "But nothing worthwhile is ever easy, Frankie. You have so much going for you. Everyone thinks you and Will would be perfect parents and Hannah loves you both so much."

"I know," Frankie replied quietly. "I've just never wanted something so badly in my life."

"We'll make it happen," Will said. "The right way."

"I really hope Mrs. Roman can figure something out," Frankie said as her husband squeezed her hand. "I hate that we have to keep telling her no, she can't come live with us yet."

Will nodded. "Makes me wonder if perhaps we shouldn't have told her our plans until they were final."

"Maybe we shouldn't have," Frankie agreed softly.

"She knows that you want her, but I think she's having as hard a time waiting as the two of you," Luna told them.

In the sitting room, Jenny was plying Hannah with questions. "Do they really want to adopt you?"

Hannah nodded. "They want me to be their little girl."

"You're lucky," Jenny said. "They're really nice people. How come you can't just go home with them?"

"Because they have to ask all these people if it's okay," Hannah replied. "I don't really understand, but it takes a long time."

"Oh," Jenny didn't really understand either. "Your real daddy's still alive right?"

"Yeah," Hannah said quietly.

"How come he doesn't want you?" Jenny asked innocently.

"He never wanted me," Hannah said looking down at the carpet. "He didn't want my mummy to have children because she was a witch."

"But if you're his daughter he's s'posed to love you," Jenny was confused.

"He didn't," Hannah said feeling tears welling up in her eyes. "Never."

"Oh," Jenny felt bad for making Hannah cry.

"What happened to your mummy and daddy?" Hannah asked wiping at her eyes.

"They were in a car," Jenny replied. "And someone hit them."

"I'm sorry," Hannah said sincerely.

"It's okay," Jenny played with her short black hair.

Hannah turned the television on and turned it to a cartoon.

"What are you girls up to?" Frankie was in the doorway.

"Watching telly," Jenny replied. "Wanna watch too?"

"Sure," Frankie sat down next to Hannah, who promptly snuggled into her.

"Did you have to work today?" Hannah asked.

Frankie shook her head. "Not today, I did all my paperwork yesterday."

"It must be soooo cool to work for Puddlemere," Jenny commented.

"I do enjoy it," Frankie smiled at the other girl. "Perhaps we can arrange for you four to come to another game."

Jenny grinned. "That would be soooo cool, Mrs. Barron."

"We'd be glad to have you lot at the game," Frankie replied. "I hope you had fun last time."

"I did," Jenny replied. "I never dreamt I'd be able to see a match in person."

"I didn't really like it," Hannah confessed. "It was too loud."

"It's supposed to be loud, Hannah," Jenny said looking at her friend. "That's part of the fun."

"I guess," Hannah shrugged. "Mister Ron screamed a lot."

"He's a bit fanatical about Quidditch," Frankie said with a laugh. "Always has been."

"I liked it when we went to your office," Hannah said. "And we got to read magazines."

"Well next time we go, if you'd like to watch it from my office we can," Frankie said kissing the top of Hannah's head. "You're my sweet girl."

"That sounds like more fun," Hannah smiled up at Frankie.

"Spending time with you always sounds like fun," Frankie said tugging on one of Hannah's plaits.

Hannah hugged her. "I love you."

"I love you too, sweetheart," Frankie said.

"I really, really wish I could go home with you," Hannah said softly.

"Me too," Frankie said. "But it won't be too much longer, Hannah. We're doing everything we can. It's just taking a lot of time."

"Did you have to go see my daddy?" she asked perceptively.

Frankie tensed up immediately. "I-I...yes, we did."

Hannah was silent for a moment. "I don't ever want to see him again."

"You don't have to," Frankie promised.

"Will's going to be a good daddy, right?" Hannah asked. "He's really nice."

"Yes, he is," Frankie said smiling at Hannah. "And he loves you very much."

"Really?" Hannah brightened. "He really, really does?"

"He really, really does," Frankie said tickling Hannah's side. "We both do and we cannot wait to take you home with us, Hannah."

She giggled. "I can't wait either."

"And we'll still get to see each other every day," Frankie promised. "In fact, you can help me buy a gift for Caroline's birthday."

"It's Caroline's birthday?" Hannah asked. "Is she going to have a party?"

"Yes she is," Frankie grinned. "And she has asked me to invite both of you to the party."

"Cool!" Jenny exclaimed.

"Its next weekend and I'll come by and pick you both up," Frankie told them. "And Emma told me that she cannot wait to see Han again."

"She's my best friend," Hannah said softly.

"Isn't she a baby?" Jenny asked.

"She's nearly three," Frankie replied. "And she loves Hannah."

"Cool," Jenny nodded. "What sort of party is it going to be?"

"Last year it was a princess party," Frankie said. "But this year, she wanted to do something different."

"Like what?" Hannah was intrigued.

"Well, she wants to have a beach party," Frankie explained.

"How will she have a beach party when it's cold out?" Jenny asked.

"That's where magic comes in," Frankie said with a grin. "We're going to convert their sitting room into a beach with sand and everything."

"Wow," both Hannah and Jenny said simultaneously.

"It should be pretty cool," Frankie said.

"What do we have to wear?" Jenny asked. "A bathing suit?"

"And a hula skirt," Frankie replied. "When Will and I came back from our honeymoon, we brought back hula skirts for the girls and they loved them."

"I don't have one of those," Hannah said, casting her eyes down.

"Yes you do," Frankie said tilting her chin up. "Both of you will."

Hannah smiled at her again. "I'm really excited."

"Good, sweetheart," Frankie said giving her a hug.

"I think I'm going to go outside and play with Joey and Zack," Jenny said. "Want to come, Hannah?"

Hannah looked at Frankie.

"Go ahead," Frankie urged. "We'll be here for a little while."

"Okay..." Hannah said tentatively. She didn't always get along with Joey and wasn't sure if she wanted to play with him or not.

"I do have a new magazine if you want to stay inside and read with me," Frankie said sensing Hannah's hesitation.

"I'd like that," Hannah said softly. "Sorry, Jenny."

"No problem," Jenny said before rushing out of the sitting room.

Frankie reached into her bag for her latest Witch Weekly. "They have a really juicy advice column this week."

"Who wrote in?" Hannah asked eagerly. "Did you ever hear any more about Lonely in Leeds?"

Frankie giggled. "No, but this week's witch is Prudence Parker and she always gives the best advice." She opened the magazine to the advice column. "This first one is from Brenda in Brighton. She can never get a date and she wants to know if it's okay for her to ask a bloke out."

"Is it?" Hannah snuggled next to her again.

"Well, let's see what Prudence has to say," Frankie said. "Brenda, times have changed and you don't always have to stand back and wait for the bloke to make the first move. He might be just as scared as you are and you'll never know if you don't take the chance. And the worst he could tell you is no and while that can be horrific, just tell yourself that it is his loss."

"I think that's good advice," Hannah nodded.

"Me too," Frankie agreed. "I tell you Prudence gives good advice."

"You two aren't reading that bloody column again are you?" Will asked as he came into the room.

"Yes," Frankie retorted playfully. "Prudence is the best at telling people what's right and wrong."

"I bet those letters are all made up," Will said sitting down on the other side of Hannah. "Who in their right mind would write into those magazines? And who is this Prudence to give advice?"

Hannah giggled. "I like when Frankie reads to me."

"See?" Frankie said pointedly to Will. "You just sit there and let us read." She picked the magazine back up and pointed to the next letter. "Okay, this one is from Desperate in Devonshire..."

Will snorted.

"William," Frankie shot her husband a look.

"Sorry," Will said coughing. "Had something stuck in my throat."

Luna watched from the doorway and admired how much the three of them already seemed like a family.

She hoped that Mrs. Roman would find someway to get around Hannah's father having to sign those papers.

"That's very good advice!" Frankie said swatting her husband on the arm. "I'd like to see you do better, Mister High and Mighty."

Will laughed. "I'd tell her to go enroll in a dating service. It's got to be better than what Prudence says."

"Hannah and I think it's great," Frankie said indignantly.

"If you say so," Will teased.

"You know, I think I'll submit your name as a guest columnist," Frankie said grinning at him. "Dear Will. I think that has a lovely ring to it."

"Very funny," Will looked at Hannah. "Would you take my advice over Prudence?"

Hannah thought about this for a few moments. "Um, probably not."

Frankie began to giggle. "At least she's honest." she squeezed the young girl around the shoulders.

"I'm sorry, Will," Hannah apologised.

"It's okay Hannah," Will chuckled.

"I actually wrote into one of those columns once," Luna admitted.

"You did?" Frankie asked. "What did you write in about?"

"Ron doesn't know this so you can't tell him," Luna said with a laugh. "But when we were at Hogwarts, I wrote a letter about being in love with someone who basically paid me no attention and called me 'Loony' to my face."

"Awwww..." Frankie said. "What did the columnist say to you?"

"That he was a lost cause and I should find someone who truly appreciated me," Luna replied.

"But he wasn't, obviously." Frankie said with a grin.

"Well, it took a few years, but I finally landed him," Luna said.

"What was your name in the column?" Will asked.

Luna's cheeks turned red. "Well, I just signed my regular name, but they turned it into Heartbroken at Hogwarts."

Hannah began to giggle at that, and Frankie found it quite contagious as she laughed too.

"Parvati Patil got wind of it and she showed it to Ron," Luna remembered. "He glared at me from the Gryffindor table, but I held my head high and acted like it wasn't me."

"Good for you," Will replied. "You've always seemed to be a really strong person, Luna."

"I sort of had to be," Luna said softly. "I was different from everyone else, but I wasn't going to change for anyone. I liked who I was."

"Maddie's the same way," Frankie said.

Luna smiled. "Out of all the children, she's the most like me."

"She was nice to me," Hannah ventured. "But she eats like Mister Ron."

"She has a bottomless stomach," Frankie said giggling. "Always has. And you watch when she's with Ethan; she eats off his plate all the time. It's so funny."

Hannah smiled at that.

"Did Frankie tell you about Caroline's birthday party?" Luna asked Hannah.

Hannah nodded. "I like the beach," she said. "And Jenny gets to come too."

"I asked the boys if they'd like to go, but they said they didn't want to go to some dumb girls' party," Luna said shaking her head. "Even though I told them that some of Caroline's classmates are boys..."

Will laughed. "At least I don't have to dress like Aladdin this year."

"Caroline told me about that!" Hannah giggled.

"He was a very handsome Aladdin," Frankie grinned at her husband.

"And it meant the world to Caroline," Luna said.

"I thought sometime this week I'd take Jenny and Hannah shopping for birthday gifts," Frankie told Luna.

"I think that would be lovely," Luna said smiling at her.

"We'll probably go to Hamley's," Frankie said. "That's the best toy shop here in London."

"Frankie loves to shop," Will said to Hannah. "You might be there all day."

"That's okay," Hannah replied.

Frankie smiled back at her. "We don't mind, do we, Hannah?"

"I like shopping with you," Hannah blushed.

"I like it too," Frankie said softly pulling Hannah close.

Will smiled at his wife as she hugged the young girl.

"There's something else I'd like to ask you," Will said to Hannah. "My parents are having an anniversary party in a couple of weeks and I'd love it if you'd come with Frankie and me."

"A what kind of party?" she asked.

"Anniversary," Will said. "They've been married for 35 years. And they're having a party."

"Will you be there the whole time?" Hannah looked anxiously at Frankie.

"Of course," Frankie replied. "And Mia will be there as well."

"My parents are really nice and they can't wait to meet you," Will said.

"Okay," Hannah said. "Is it okay Luna?"

"Of course," Luna said.

"We can get you a really pretty dress when we go shopping," Frankie told her.

"Really?" Hannah asked. "I get a new dress?"

"Of course," Frankie said with a grin. "I need to get one too."

"Uh oh," Will said. "I'm going to go broke."

Frankie rolled her eyes. "William..."

"She'll say she needs a dress," Will told Hannah. "But she'll come home with at least four."

"Four dresses?" Hannah asked.

"You never know what you’re going to feel like wearing until the day you wear it," Frankie said pertly.

Will nodded and smirked at his wife. "Of course. How silly of me."

"He has so much to learn," Frankie shook her head.

"I can't believe I'm going to two parties," Hannah said leaning against Frankie.

"That's right," Frankie kissed her head again. "And for your birthday, we're going to throw you the biggest, best party you've ever seen."

"For me?" Hannah asked. "I've never had a birthday party for me."

"That's going to change," Frankie said. "So many things are going to change for you now Hannah. And they're all going to be good changes."

Hannah gave her a hug. "I'm so glad you're going to be my mummy and daddy."

"That we are," Frankie held her tightly and blinked back a few tears.

Frankie was going to do anything she could to make sure that would happen. And she was the goddaughter of the most powerful wizard in the world and she knew the Minister for Magic on a first-name basis. That had to be good for something and Frankie had learned the hard way that most of the time it wasn't what you knew, but who you knew.

*** *** ***

Maddie and Ethan had been married for over three months now and while Maddie loved her husband very much, she would have really liked to throttle him at the moment. She knew he was knackered from extra shifts at headquarters, but he'd been the one to suggest Harry and Hermione coming over for brunch. And yet, he was the one who was still fast asleep in bed while she was the one running around like a chicken with his head cut off trying to prepare everything.

She'd already tried to wake him twice and each time he'd promised he'd get up in a couple more minutes. That had been thirty minutes ago and his parents were due at any moment.

"ETHAN!" she called out angrily. "Get your sorry arse out of bed this instant!"

"I'm up," Ethan turned and pressed his face back into the pillow.

Maddie waited to hear the sound of the shower or to hear his footsteps on the stairs, but she heard nothing. She set the table and decided to give him a couple more minutes. When she still didn't hear anything, she grabbed a glass and filled it with ice water. "You might not be up now, but just you wait," she grumbled as she stalked up the stairs.

Ethan had just dozed off again when he felt something icy splash into his face. "HEY!" he screamed angrily, jumping up.

"Good morning, sweetheart," Maddie said sarcastically. "Sleep well?"

"Why'd you do that?" Ethan pushed his wet hair out of his eyes. "I was getting up!"

"Were you now?" Maddie asked slamming the glass down on the dresser. "Because it sure as hell looked to me like you were sleeping pretty soundly. You do remember that your parents are coming over for brunch?"

"Of course I remember," Ethan pulled his shirt off.

"Well, get in the shower and give me some help!" Maddie retorted before stalking back downstairs.

Ethan shook his head and took a quick shower. He hoped by the time he went downstairs his wife would be in a better mood.

But, she wasn't and she was still giving him the silent treatment when he came downstairs.

"Did you get any juice?" Ethan asked as he gave a yawn.

Maddie silently pointed to the icebox.

"O-kay," Ethan said walking over to the icebox.

Maddie finished setting the table and saw they still had another half hour before her in laws were due to arrive.

Ethan sat down and closed his eyes.

"You know," Maddie said coolly. "I could still use some help here. I've only done everything else to set up."

"What more needs to be done?" Ethan asked, his eyes still closed.

"The eggs," Maddie crossed her arms. "Ethan you know something? I'm tired too but I'm still up, making breakfast."

"Maddie, I worked two 12-hour shifts," Ethan retorted.

"I didn't get home until half past three this morning!" Maddie exclaimed.

"You sit at a desk most of the day," Ethan pointed out. "It's different."

Maddie narrowed her eyes and he gulped.

"How exactly is it different?" Maddie asked him. "Hmmm? Is your job more important than mine? Is that what you're saying?'

"That's not what I said at all," Ethan held his hands up in defence.

"Well it's certainly what you're implying," Maddie snapped.

Ethan groaned. "Why do you women do that? Twist every single thing we say around..."

"You women?" Maddie asked, her blue eyes going dark. "That's it..." she dropped the pan onto the stove. "You're finishing up in here." she stomped out of the kitchen.

"Maddie!" Ethan called after her. "What is your problem?"

Her only answer was the slamming of their bedroom door.

Ethan got to his feet and started to finish preparing the breakfast. She was being completely unreasonable, he thought angrily.

They were still not really speaking to each other when Harry and Hermione arrived. "Thought we could have mimosas," Hermione handed a bottle of champagne to her son.

"Great," Ethan said unenthusiastically.

"What's the matter?" Harry asked, taking in his son's glum expression. "And where's Maddie?"

"Upstairs," Ethan replied shortly.

"Well something certainly smells delicious," Hermione followed her son into the kitchen.

"Maddie did most of it," Ethan grumbled.

"I'm surprised you wanted us to come over at all considering the nightmare shifts you just had," Harry commented.

"It was pretty rough," Ethan pulled some champagne glasses out of the cupboard before getting the orange juice back out. "I'd forgotten those shifts fell on this weekend."

"Par for the course," Harry said. "Your mum and I used to have rows about it all the time."

"No we didn't," Hermione answered. "Not ALL the time..."

"Okay not all the time, but we had our moments," Harry said. "Do I need to remind you of that time I forgot to set the alarm and you reamed me out for it?"

"That was your fault," Hermione said. "You came in and had me all..." she blushed. "Well... I guess it was both our faults."

"And you overreacted completely about that," Harry said.

"Your point being?" Hermione crossed her arms.

"Um, where's that mimosa, son?" Harry asked looking to Ethan.

"What was that you always tried to teach me Dad?" Ethan asked. "Pick and choose your battles?"

"I learned that from experience," Harry said shaking his head.

"Thank you," Hermione accepted the glass her son held out. "So am I correct in assuming you and Maddie are fighting about something?"

"Well," Ethan said with a sigh. "She's mad because I was having a lie-in when she was trying to get everything ready."

"I see," Harry shared an amused look with his wife.

"This happened to you?" Ethan asked.

"On more than one occasion," Hermione answered as they heard footsteps coming down the stairs.

"Hello, Harry," Maddie said ignoring her husband. "Hermione."

"Good to see you Maddie," Harry gave her a kiss on the cheek. "Mimosa?"

"That would be lovely," Maddie replied.

"I heard you've been busy in your department lately," Hermione said to her. "Smythe was in a meeting with me yesterday."

"We have been busy at my trivial job," Maddie said with a pointed look at Ethan.

Hermione didn't notice her daughter in law's glare. "I'd hardly say your job is trivial," she replied as they all sat down at the table.

"Thank you," Maddie said smiling at her. "It's good to know that not everyone thinks that it is."

"It's so strange being back in here," Harry looked around. "It feels smaller than it did when we lived here with Jules and Ethan."

"The previous owner did some modifications," Maddie explained.

Harry nodded. "Still looks great though. I'm glad you two are enjoying it."

"Even if you're not at the moment," Hermione said with a slight smile.

Ethan glanced towards his wife who looked down at her plate.

"Your first fight as newlyweds," Hermione said nodding knowingly.

"It's fine," Ethan said quietly. "We're fine."

"It's normal," Hermione said. "Everyone goes through them. Things aren't always going to be perfect."

"We know," Ethan stuffed some bacon into his mouth.

"I can't imagine the two of you ever fighting," Maddie said softly.

Harry and Hermione looked at each other and burst out laughing. "We've had more than our share of fights," Harry said.

"Did we ever," Hermione said in agreement. "I remember this one time..."

***

Anna and Hermione were studying for their finals at the cottage since the libraries at school were packed. Harry wasn't due home so she knew they'd be able to get quite a bit of work done.

"The Craft-Taxson act did what?" Anna asked looking through her text. "I remember hearing the professor talk about it, but I can't remember what it was..."

"I remember reading about it on page, um... 287..." Hermione flipped through her book. "There!"

"Fantastic," Anna said with a grin. "What would I do without you?"

"Fail?" Hermione joked.

"Probably," Anna laughed.

"Alright," Hermione said opening her book. "I need to go over---"

Her words were cut off as she heard a loud crash outside and the sound of familiar laughter. She and Anna ran to the door and stared in shock as Harry was led up the walkway supported by Luke and Ron.

"Mermione!" Harry cackled. "Wy mife!"

"Harry!" Hermione exclaimed. "What on earth?"

"He had a bit too much to drink tonight," Ron explained.

"A bit?" Luke said shaking his head. "Ron, he's pissed!"

"Why did you three go out and get pissed?" Hermione crossed her arms.

"Luke, you smell like a brewery!" Anna exclaimed swatting him on the arm.

"Ouch!" Luke exclaimed. "Anna!"

"I didn't hit you that hard," Anna said sharply. "Though I should have."

Harry broke free of Ron's hold on him and ran out toward the front of the yard. "I AM THE RABBIT KING!"

"Oh Merlin's beard," Hermione said. "Harry James Potter get your arse in here NOW!"

"Hohohoho," Harry cackled. "Why didn't you say so?" He crooked his finger at her.

Hermione was not amused. "NOW!" she repeated angrily.

Harry put his finger over his mouth. "Shhhhhh! You'll wake the neighbours!"

"Ron will you please get him inside?" Hermione asked tightly.

Ron nodded and reached for his friend's arm. "Come on, mate."

"Oooh hooo..." Harry sang. "Isn't my wife hot?"

"I have an exam tomorrow morning at eight," Hermione hissed at him.

"I know something you could study right now," Harry said lasciviously. "It's in my trousers..."

Hermione rolled her eyes. "Not for long," she muttered. "And I don't mean that in a good way."

"You're ...you're...not the boss of me!" Harry slurred.

Hermione clenched her teeth and grabbed her husband's arm, yanking him inside.

Luke, Anna and Ron followed them and watched helplessly as Hermione pulled her husband upstairs.

"He is in so much trouble," Ron muttered.

"How'd this happen?" Anna asked folding her arms.

Luke shrugged. "We just... had a lot to drink."

"Obviously," Anna said. The sound of a door slamming caused them all to jump.

Upstairs in the bedroom, Harry was trying to get Hermione onto the bed. "Harry!" Hermione squirmed. "How could you think I could possibly be turned on at this moment?'

"Because I'm the Rabbit King," Harry slurred. "And you're the Queen..."

"You're the Idiot King," Hermione said sarcastically.

"Come on Hermione," Harry leaned forward.

"How about you lie down..." Hermione said, trying to keep her anger in check.

"With you?" Harry asked drolly.

"No," Hermione said rolling her eyes. "And I'll go and brew you a sobering potion."

"How about you just snog me instead," Harry tried to reach for her but fell off the side of the bed.

This was apparently completely hilarious to him and he collapsed into laughter. Hermione sighed and counted to ten silently before walking out of the room.

Downstairs, she noticed that Ron, Luke, and Anna had left and she gathered her textbooks together before getting the ingredients to brew a sobering potion for her husband, although he certainly didn't deserve one.

A few minutes later, she headed upstairs with a cupful of the potion. Her husband was still where'd she left him, but he was now fast asleep.

"That's just great," Hermione grumbled.

She set the goblet on the nightstand and tried to pick him up. "Come on Harry," she said sharply.

Harry's eyes blinked open and he looked lazily up at her. "I love you, Hermione. I really, really do."

She softened just the tiniest bit, as she always did when he looked at her like that.

She draped his arms around her neck and tried to help him to his feet. "Love yooooooooooooooooooooou....."

"I love you too," Hermione replied. "Come on now Harry... let's get you into bed--"

"Bed, bed, bed," Harry said nodding. He tried to focus on what was in front of him. "Okay....there's TWO beds! Which one do I get on?"

"This one," Hermione helped him onto it. "And drink this."

Harry shook his head. "What is it?"

"It's a sobering potion," Hermione replied. "You're going to need it."

Harry took the goblet with Hermione's help and he sniffed the concoction inside. "Gross!"

"Just drink it," Hermione ordered.

"Okay," Harry said with a frown. "You're bossy, you know that?"

"Yes," Hermione crossed her arms.

"Cheers!" Harry exclaimed holding the glass out to her before bringing it back to his mouth and gulping down the contents.

"Good," Hermione took the goblet and then helped him lie back. "Get some sleep now."

"I didn't mean to get pissed," he said quietly.

"It's all right now," Hermione sat on the edge of the bed.

Harry closed his eyes as he felt the potion starting to work. "Today was Sirius' birthday," he said gravely.

Hermione felt her heart drop right down into her feet. "I'm sorry," she said softly.

"His 50th," Harry said quietly. "Because of me, he didn't get to see it."

"Don't you dare blame yourself," Hermione sat next to him. "Harry why didn't you tell me about this? I'd have gone with you tonight."

"You had a lot on your mind," he told her. "I'm sorry..."

"Shhhh..." she said. "This is more important."

Harry smiled at her. "He would have loved you."

Hermione smiled back as she pushed his hair off his forehead. "I'm sure I'd have loved him as well."

"He thought Ron was a bit wonky," Harry said chuckling.

"We all think Ron's a bit wonky," Hermione kicked off her shoes and lay down next to him.

Harry put his arm around her and sighed. "It won't happen again."

Hermione kissed his cheek. "I understand now... but I hope you'll come to me from now on. We're married now. We're in all this together."

"I guess I'm used to keeping things to myself," he said thoughtfully.

Hermione closed her eyes and rested her head on his shoulder. "Not anymore..."

***

"You fell off the bed?" Ethan cackled. "Dad!"

"I was so pissed," Harry said sheepishly.

"My daddy shouldn't have let you get that way," Maddie said shaking her head.

Harry grinned at her. "Trust me; we were all pretty shameful that night."

"I've heard stories about my dad when he got pissed," Maddie said giggling. "Dancing on bars..."

"Singing Weird Sisters," Harry volunteered. "I've pretty much been there for it all.

"You have seen Mads this one night," Ethan started to say. Maddie quickly grabbed a croissant and stuffed it in his mouth.

Hermione laughed. "That's exactly what Luna does to Ron."

Maddie grinned. "Where do you think I got it from?"

Ethan bit down into the croissant and dropped it on his plate. "Not funny," he complained, but he was grinning.

"You were about to tell them something embarrassing," Maddie explained.

"No I wasn't," Ethan said. "Not about... that..."

"I'm intrigued," Hermione said with a grin.

"I'm sworn to secrecy," Ethan replied. "Sorry Mum."

"It only happened once," Maddie told them. "And I was really ashamed."

"It happens to the best of us," Harry said mildly. "Like me, for example."

"My father always speaks rather highly of Mr. Black," Maddie said. "I wish we'd all have had the chance to know him."

"I do too," Harry said.

"I'm sorry for not getting up like I said I would," Ethan said to his wife.

"I guess I was a little more grumpy than usual," Maddie replied. "I'm sorry too."

"You've taught him well, Harry," Hermione whispered to her husband.

"I learn from experience," he winked at her.

"How are my perfect sisters doing?" Ethan asked his parents.

"Perfectly," Hermione quipped. "Saffy's enjoying her role as Quidditch captain, and Jules loves teaching and being Head of Gryffindor house."

"That's because they're both in positions of power," Ethan joked.

Maddie smiled. "Saffy loves being in charge."

"I wonder where she got THAT from," Harry said motioning to Hermione.

"She's like me in almost every way," Hermione said sweetly.

Ethan shook his head. "She's way bossier than you, Mum."

Hermione laughed. "Don't let her hear you say that."

"I'm not scared of Saffron Grace," Ethan scoffed. "She's all bark and no bite..."

"Oh really?" Harry asked. "I'll have to tell her you said that the next time we write to her."

"And need I remind you of how angry she was with you when you lied to RJ about her fancying him and then there was the incident at Brighton," Maddie said.

"Yeah, yeah..." Ethan turned red. "She can be scary..."

"Your sister is not scary," Hermione said loyally.

"That's because she doesn't get mad at you," Ethan replied.

"That's because I listen to her and I recognise that she's a young woman," Hermione said. "Unlike two people in this room who want her to be an 11-year old with the plaits..."

"She was much better that way," Harry said.

"And she still wears the plaits," Ethan replied.

"Not all the time," Hermione said shaking her head. "Face it, boys. Saffron is growing up."

Authors' note: We are going to try something new and we hope fun for the chapters we post on Tuesday night. If you have ever wanted to ask one of our characters a question, you'll get your chance.

The characters, in turn, will answer your questions in an 'interview' format. These will be added on to the end of the chapters.

This week we’ll be interviewing Saffron Potter and Alexa O’Leary. We won’t give away any spoilers, but we will pick ten good questions out of the ones you send us and ask them. We hope you guys enjoy this!!!

138. Chapter 138

A/N: You guys had some great questions- we’ve posted the first interview at the end of this chapter. Next Saturday, we’ll have an interview with Frankie and Will!

You don’t see Hannah this chapter, we’re afraid- but you do get to see quite a bit of the Potters and the Malfoys. Also next chapter… RJ’s guilt overcomes him and he sends Alexa a letter confessing a certain something…

As always, please review- and make sure to get your questions in to Frankie and Will before FRIDAY, September 29th!

"At least Andrew's a good bloke," Harry said. "I like him a lot. He's good to my baby."

"Much better than Sean," Ethan said thoughtfully. "Or Peter."

"Sean wasn't all bad," Hermione said. "And she's friends with Peter again."

"Sean was a bit shady," Harry said. "What? He was!"

"He was not," Hermione argued. "He was a very nice young man."

"I happen to be very good at reading people," Harry said condescendingly.

"So am I," Hermione told him. "He was very good to our little girl."

"You should have seen the way he looked at her when they were on the beach," Harry argued. "Right, Ethan?"

"Any guy would," Maddie interjected. "Saffy's a beautiful girl. And Andrew looks at her much the same way."

"I agree with Dad," Ethan said. "Saffy shouldn't be able to date until she's 21."

Maddie and Hermione looked at each other and rolled their eyes.

"I suggest you bring that up to her next time you see her and see how well that goes over," Hermione said to her son.

"I think he'd be getting another Howler," Maddie said with a grin.

Hermione giggled. "You gonna follow this philosophy when you and Maddie have a little girl?"

"You will," Harry said. "Mark my words."

"Madeline Junior is not going to date ever," Ethan said smugly. "In fact, Mads...we should look into a tower with a fire-breathing dragon...."

"Madeline Junior?" Maddie rolled her eyes again. "Honestly Ethan..."

"What?" Ethan asked her. "What do you want to name our little girl?"

"Well," Maddie said. "I've always loved the name Kiera..."

Hermione smiled. "That's a beautiful name, Maddie."

"You mean you don't want to name our firstborn Dolly?" Ethan pretended to be shocked.

"No, that name's officially retired," Maddie said laughing.

Ethan shook his head. "You used to name everything Dolly."

"Hello?" Maddie asked. "I was four years old, Ethan."

"You were an adorable four year old," Hermione said. "Even if my son didn't think so."

"Mum, she used to go around insisting we were going to get married and that a Cornish pixie was our baby," Ethan pointed out.

"She also used to say she was going to marry you and she did," Hermione reminded him.

"He was playing hard to get," Maddie said smiling at her husband.

"Yeah, yeah." Ethan reached for her hand.

"So, we're okay?" Maddie asked him.

"Of course," Ethan replied.

"Welcome back from the doghouse," Harry teased Ethan.

"No sofa for you tonight," Maddie joked.

"The dreaded sofa," Harry groaned. "It's been a long time since I've been relegated to one of those."

"That I find hard to believe," Ethan said dryly as he helped himself to more bacon.

"I'm the perfect husband," Harry said winking at Hermione. "She can't stay angry with me for long."

"I let him think that," Hermione answered.

"We're still having these slight disagreements about where to put things," Maddie confided.

Hermione nodded knowingly. "You should have heard the rows Harry and I had about that bloody chair of his..."

Harry shared a knowing grin with his son. Aside from Robert, Ethan was the only other person that knew the fate of Harry's favourite chair.

"What did you do with the chair?" Maddie asked.

"Convinced him that it was completely hideous and he gave it away," Hermione replied.

"Yeah," Harry took a sip of his mimosa. "Gave it right away."

"And you have to admit that it really was the best idea," Hermione said. "It didn't really go with our decor."

"Not at all," Harry shook his head solemnly, making Ethan choke on his eggs.

Maddie patted Ethan's back. "Ethan----"

"Went down the wrong pipe," Ethan wheezed.

Hermione looked at her son and then at her husband. "Harry---is there something you've been keeping from me?"

"Of course not," Harry said innocently.

Hermione folded her arms and levelled her gaze at him. "Harry James Potter."

"That would be me," Harry grinned at her, making Maddie laugh.

"You're not very funny," Hermione said. "Spill your guts."

"I don't know what you're talking about," Harry proclaimed. He hadn't kept that chair throughout their marriage only to divulge its whereabouts now.

"Ethan," Hermione said turning her attention to her son. "What is your father hiding from me?"

"Don't look at me," Ethan held his hands up. "I don't know a thing."

"Fine," Hermione said leaning close to her husband so she could whisper in his ear. "Until you tell me, you're dethroned."

Harry only smirked at her in reply.

"I could last a lot longer than you," Hermione whispered.

"I don't even think I want to know what you two are whispering about," Ethan cut in.

"No you don't," Hermione said curtly. "But your father knows I mean business."

Harry only shook his head. "If you say so."

"Try me," Hermione said.

"As fun as this is," Ethan interrupted again. "Should we finish this before it all gets cold?"

"Of course," Hermione said buttering her croissant. "This really is a great meal, you two."

"Thanks," Maddie said. "I got the croissants from this new bakery just down the road."

They finished their meal and Hermione knew that the newlyweds would probably want to be alone. "We'll have to have you both over for dinner some night soon."

"Sounds like a plan," Ethan agreed. "I'll owl you with my free evenings this week."

Hermione gave them each a hug. "I really do love what you've done with the place."

"Thanks," Maddie said happily. "We wanted it to be as homey as you and Harry had it while living here."

"You really have," Hermione said. "You made it your own."

Ethan hugged his mother. "Don't be too hard on dad. It's an inside joke we have."

"You know how I hate not knowing something," Hermione said.

"I know," Ethan said. "Saf's the same way."

Hermione laughed. "Well, I think I'll have a little fun with your dad."

"I'll spill the beans if you get too mean," Ethan teased.

"Come on, Hermione," Harry said reaching for his wife's arm. "Let's go home."

Ethan and Maddie waved as they left. "I'll clean up," Ethan told his wife.

"That sounds like a plan," Maddie said. "I'm going to take a nice bubble bath."

"Hmmm..." Ethan said. "Maybe I'll join you after I'm finished..."

"If you want," Maddie said grinning at him.

Ethan put his arms around her. "I am sorry for being a prat earlier."

"It's okay," Maddie said relaxing in his arms. "I might have overreacted."

Ethan pressed his lips to her forehead. "Love you so much," he said huskily.

"I love you too," she whispered. "Even when you are being a prat."

Ethan tipped her face back and sealed his lips over hers.

"Mmmmmmm," Maddie said softly when they pulled apart. "I like making up with you."

"Go on," he said with a grin. "Go get in that bath and I'll meet you there in less than ten minutes."

"Make it five and you've got a deal," Maddie grinned.

Ethan gave her another kiss. "Deal," he answered.

Maddie looked at him seductively over her shoulder. "I'll see you upstairs, Mr. Potter."

Ethan shook his head as he watched her go, and then scrambled to clean the kitchen up as fast as he could.

By the time, he came upstairs; his wife had filled the bathtub with bubbles and lit some candles. She was lying in the tub with her hair up in a sloppy bun.

"Madam," he said with a saucy grin. "May I join you now?"

Maddie opened her eyes and grinned at him. "We always have room for you, sir."

"Just what I like to hear," Ethan undressed himself and got into the tub with her.

"This is nice," Maddie said closing her eyes again.

"Yeah," Ethan leaned against the opposite side and just looked at her for a few moments.

"I just feel so decadent," Maddie said with her eyes still closed.

Ethan smiled and ran his hands over her smooth leg.

"Oooh," Maddie cooed.

"Like that?" he asked with a grin.

"It's nice," Maddie replied, her eyes still closed.

"Only nice?" he asked. "Allow me to make it better..."

Maddie giggled. "Ethan, I was only....ooooooooh."

He used his hand to make her body arch out of the water. "This is a nice view," he said lasciviously.

"Ethan," Maddie said breathlessly. "Wow..."

"Mmmhmmm..." he said, his eyes darkening.

Ethan went underwater and what he did next made her gasp and grab the edge of the tub for support.

"ETHAN!" she nearly screamed.

Ethan emerged from the water a few moments later with a smug grin on his face. "Was that just nice?"

Maddie shook her head wordlessly.

Ethan gave her a kiss. "I thought you'd like that."

"Oh, very much," she nodded, still breathless.

"I love you, Madeline Molly," Ethan said nuzzling her neck.

"I love you too Ethan James," Maddie ran her soapy hands over his face.

"Even when I'm being a prat and you're being bossy?" Ethan asked impishly.

"Even then," she said, giving him a kiss.

"We should fight more often if it leads to things like this," Ethan said smiling at her.

"I think we could do this without the fighting," Maddie laughed. "I know I certainly don't need an excuse."

Ethan chuckled. "That's what I love to hear."

Maddie pulled him down on top of her again. "Make love to me," she whispered in his ear.

Ethan kissed her. "Whatever Maddie wants, Maddie gets..."

"That's what I love to hear," she grinned as the water sloshed over the side of the tub.

She gasped as he entered her and Ethan smiled down at her. "That's what I like to hear."

"Ethan," she breathed his name out.

"Mads," Ethan said against her skin as they began to move together.

"You... are.... so good... at this..." she gasped.

"You're not bad, either," Ethan grinned.

"Just not bad?" she opened her eyes as her hair slid out of the bun and into the water.

"You're," Ethan said in between kisses. "Bloody.... fantastic."

Maddie lifted her body against his as the passion between them grew more and more intense.

Ethan thrust into her one last time. "Maddie........"

She tried to say his name but could only cry out as pleasure washed over her entire body.

Ethan smiled lazily at her. "That was amazing."

Maddie nodded. "It always is," she said softly. "Always..."

"Always," Ethan agreed. "Let's go to bed. I really am knackered now."

"In the middle of the day?" she asked, laughing. "Maybe a little kip would be nice. I think Frankie wanted us to come out for dinner with them tonight."

Ethan got out of the tub and grabbed a towel for Maddie. "Sounds good."

"Thank you," Maddie kissed him. "She's so excited about adopting Hannah... I think she wants to talk our ears off about it."

"Our little Frankie has finally grown up," Ethan said grabbing a towel for himself as well.

Maddie laughed. "I think it's lovely what she wants to do for that little girl."

"I do too," Ethan said reaching for his discarded shirt, but finding that Maddie had gotten to it first. "Mads---"

"I need it," she pouted at him.

Ethan shook his head as he grabbed his boxer shorts from the floor. "Of course. Silly me."

"Besides," Maddie eyed him up and down. "I love looking at your... physique."

Ethan stood up and looked at her for a few moments before picking her up. "Okay, Maddie. You asked for it."

"ETHAN!" she shrieked, laughing.

"You've done it now," Ethan said carrying her into their bedroom.

"What?" she asked, still giggling.

"You just treated me like a piece of meat," Ethan said setting her down on the bed. "You should be ashamed of yourself!"

"Uh oh," Maddie said. "Am I to be punished?"

Ethan's eyes darkened. "Yes, to the fullest extent of the law."

"Oh no," Maddie ran her index finger over her lower lip. "I've been a very... very bad girl..."

"And you were such a good girl too," Ethan said thoughtfully. "What happened?"

"I got corrupted," Maddie said innocently.

"Who would do such a thing?" Ethan asked as he settled down beside her. "Hmm?"

"I don't know..." Maddie widened her eyes and pushed her hair back.

"Someone had to do it," Ethan said giving her a kiss. "I'm lucky that it was me."

"Yes..." Maddie wound her arms around him. "So do I still get punished?"

"Oh yes," Ethan said huskily.

"Good," she leaned in again.

*** *** ***

Julie was facing a very busy time in her life. Her work at Hogwarts kept her there much later than she actually wanted to stay at school, and she was doing her best to help her youngest daughter with her reading. Katie had started a few special classes at school but still resisted doing the amount of reading that she should have been.

Julie did enjoy seeing her sister almost every day, and they met for lunch at least once a week where they caught each other up on everything that was happening.

Currently, she was doing some last minute grading before she closed up her office for the evening. A knock on the door startled her, and she thought perhaps one of her students needed something. "Come in!" she called.

"Did you forget me?" Oliver asked with a grin as he walked into her office.

"What?" Julie asked. "Did we have a meeting tonight?"

"We did," Oliver said giving her his most stern look.

Julie hurriedly turned to her calendar. "Oh bugger..." she said. "I'm so sorry..."

Oliver leaned against the door. "We were going to discuss the rash of detentions, remember?"

"Right," Julie said. "I really am sorry. I've just been really preoccupied lately."

"It's okay," Oliver reassured her. "How's your youngest doing?"

"All right," Julie said. "She hates being in special classes."

"I'm sure it's not easy for her, but it really is the best thing," Oliver said thoughtfully.

Julie nodded. "She thinks being in a special class makes her friends think she's stupid."

"Her good friends won't," Oliver said. "Surely she knows that."

"That's what Nick and I have been telling her," Julie said as they sat down in the chairs in front of her desk.

"For what it's worth, I think she's a lucky kid to have you as a mum," Oliver said smiling at her.

Julie smiled. "Thanks Oliver. It's good to hear that from someone outside the family from time to time."

"I don't know where I'd be if I didn't have you here to show me the ropes," Oliver said. "So it's a little bit of payback."

Julie laughed. "So what are we going to do about these detentions?"

"I was thinking perhaps we could let Snape supervise them all," Oliver said dryly. "That would show those girls..."

Julie nodded. "I daresay your popularity has made detention quite fashionable."

Oliver shook his head. "You know, some of my mates warned me about this, but I thought they were just taking the Mickey, but now that I'm here..."

"For what it's worth, despite the girls flocking to your side, I think you're doing a great job as Headmaster," Julie said sincerely.

Oliver's cheeks reddened a bit. "You're not just saying that because I'm your boss?"

"Hardly," Julie replied. "If I wasn't intimidated by Albus Dumbledore, you aren't going to do the trick," she teased.

Oliver laughed heartily. "I think I need to have a long talk with him on how to be more intimidating. I try to look stern, but for some reason, that makes the girls...how can I say this..."

"Turn into blushing, stammering... schoolgirls?" Julie suggested.

"In a word, yes," Oliver said with a groan.

"You rugged, good looking blokes have it so hard," Julie deadpanned.

"Yes, it's a hard life," Oliver played along.

Unbeknownst to either of them, two Slytherin girls were standing just outside Julie's office listening to every word.

Marianne Baxter looked at her friend. "Could they be ANY more obvious?" she asked with a smirk.

Annie Lawlor rolled her eyes. "She's such a hypocrite."

"I know right," Marianne agreed. "I mean, I knew as soon as we saw him heading for her office that they'd be going at it."

"And he is always staring at her in the Great Hall," Annie whispered peering around the doorway to see Oliver touching Julie's arm.

"I wish we had a camera," Marianne whispered back. "Even though all those Gryffindor nerds are going to just DIE when we spread this around."

"It would be nice to wipe that smug look off Saffron Potter's face," Annie agreed. "I cannot stand her!"

"She acts like she's queen of the school," Marianne said. "I'd love to knock her down a peg or two... or ten."

Annie covered her mouth to stifle her giggles. She couldn't agree more.

"Listen, I have a friend who has written quite a few books about learning disabilities," Oliver told Julie. "If you'd like, I can have him contact you."

"That would be lovely," Julie said. "Thank you so much Oliver."

Oliver stood up, as did Julie. "Don't let it get you down, Jules. It will get better, I promise."

"I hope so," Julie said. "For now I'll have to take your word. She seems to be able to talk to Nick about this more than me for some reason."

"Just remember if you need someone to talk to, I'm here," Oliver said giving her a hug.

Marianne and Annie exchanged knowing looks.

"I will," Julie nodded. "I do have one favour to ask of you..."

"Which is?" Oliver asked.

"Can I please be there if you decide to make Snape in charge of detentions?" Julie joked.

Oliver laughed. "You can have a front-row seat, Jules."

"Now that'll make my day," Julie replied. "Thanks Oliver."

"I'll let you get on with your work," Oliver said smiling at her. "Perhaps we can talk more over breakfast?"

"Sure," she agreed. "I look forward to it."

The girls scrambled for a hiding place as Oliver left Julie's office. They stayed hidden until they heard Julie bustling about getting her belongings. A few moments later, they heard her leave and Marianne smirked. "I give them two weeks before they're shagging."

"I say one," Annie countered. "They're practically going at it already."

Marianne rubbed her hands together. "What do you say we start spreading the word?"

Annie grinned wickedly. "I've been told it's what we do best..."

"It truly is a gift," Marianne said smugly. "Now, where to begin?"

*** *** ***

Through Oliver's help, Julie and Nick had found Katie a special tutor for her reading. The younger girl wasn't pleased she'd have to do extra schoolwork but Julie had assured her daughter it was only until she could catch up with the rest of her class.

They were scheduled to meet with the woman that evening and Julie was currently watching her daughter finish up her dance class.

"Great job girls," Cho clapped her hands. "Remember, recital rehearsal is in a few weeks, and everyone has to be here!"

This was the only class that Katie actually enjoyed and she was going to do whatever she could to prevent having to go see that boring woman and talk about boring books.

"I know you'll get the lead part," Caroline told her friend. "You're the best in the whole class, Katie."

"Thanks," Katie said. "I know I will too."

Caroline practised the turn again and tried not to stumble this time.

"Just hold your arms like this," Katie demonstrated as Mia stood back and watched.

"Okay," Caroline copied Katie. "How's that?"

"Better," Katie answered, turning her back and cutting Mia out of the conversation. She'd gotten used to the blonde hanging around but she still didn't like her all that much.

Caroline smiled gratefully at her best friend. "Thanks, Katie."

"Katie," Julie called. "We have to go, sweetheart."

"Ten more minutes, Mummy," Katie called over her shoulder. "I need to help Caroline."

"Katie Rose," Julie said more firmly.

Katie rolled her eyes.

"Its okay, Katie," Caroline said. "We're going to surprise Daddy at work so I should go and get changed."

Katie's eyes narrowed as she saw Mia's best friend bracelet on Caroline's wrist. "Where's your necklace?"

"The clasp broke and my mummy was going to fix it after she fed Adam," Caroline told her.

"Oh," Katie said. "I thought you lost it."

Caroline shook her head. "I'd never lose it, Katie. I love my necklace."

Katie smiled at her. "I'll see you later Caroline."

Caroline hurried off to her mother's office in the back with Mia in tow, something that didn't go unnoticed by Katie. Because of this stupid meeting, she was going to be left out again. She walked over to the benches where her mother was sitting and sat down quietly, taking off her slippers.

"You dance so beautifully out there sweetheart," Julie said encouragingly.

"Thanks," Katie said pulling on her jumper. "I think I'm going to get the lead part in the recital."

"I'm so proud of you," Julie said.

"I'm going to be famouser than Daddy," Katie said smugly. "Even famouser than Aunt Chiaki."

"If you put your mind to it you can do anything," Julie said. "Daddy's meeting us outside and we'll go to Maya's together."

Katie looked around to make sure no one could hear her mother. "I don't want to go, Mummy."

"Katie," Julie sighed. "We talked about this, remember?"

Katie slung her dance bag over her shoulder and got to her feet. "Fine! I'll go but I don't have to like it!"

"You might change your mind," Julie pointed out. "I've heard Maya is very, very nice. And you'll like to read once you--"

Katie's cheeks flamed bright red and she stalked out of the dance studio. She ran into her father's arms.

"What is it, sweetheart?" Nick asked giving her a hug.

"Mummy was talking really loud about me not being able to read," Katie said angrily. "Everyone could hear!"

Nick kissed her forehead. "I'm sure that's not true, sweetheart. And you can read, Katie."

"I know I can!" Katie exclaimed. "So why do I have to take more dumb classes?"

"Because you're having a little trouble," Nick said gently. "And we just want you to have the help you need." He saw his wife exit the dance studio and he smiled reassuringly at her. Nick knelt down in front of his daughter. "Sweetheart, I'll make a deal with you okay?"

"Another deal?" Katie asked warily.

Nick nodded. "If you don't like Maya after your first meeting, you don't have to go back to see her."

"I won't like her," Katie said resolutely.

"All I ask is that you give her a shot," Nick said squeezing her hand.

Julie kissed her husband hello. "Are we ready?" she asked.

"I think so," Nick said looking at Katie. "Right?"

Katie only shrugged.

Nick held her hand as they set off down the sidewalk. They were meeting Maya at her flat and it was only a couple of blocks from the studio.

Katie was all prepared not to like this woman- especially if it meant not having to go to extra school classes and read all the time. She set her face in a scowl as Nick rang the doorbell.

The door opened and a pretty girl with curly brown hair and glasses opened the door. She wore a floral print dress and a cardigan and she smiled warmly at them. "Hiya, you must be the Malfoys."

"I'm Nick," he held his hand out. "This is my wife Julie, and our daughter Katie."

"Hello, Katie," Maya smiled at her. "I'm Maya Rourke. That's a pretty leotard you have on. I heard you were quite the dancer."

Katie nodded wordlessly.

"Why don't you all come in?" Maya asked standing back to let them enter.

Nick tugged on his daughter's hand. "Come on Katie bear."

Katie followed her father inside and looked around at the small flat. It was about as small as her Uncle Ethan's old place.

"Can I get any of you something to drink?" Maya asked.

When Katie didn't answer, Julie smiled. "Katie usually likes to drink juice after her dance lesson."

Maya smiled. "I have apple, orange, pumpkin...what's your poison?"

"Poison?" Katie asked, alarmed.

"It's just an expression," Maya reassured her. "What would you like to drink?"

"Nothing," Katie muttered.

Maya nodded. "Fair enough. If you change your mind, you just let me know, okay?"

"It's nice of you to offer," Julie said. "Thank you."

"No problem," Maya said. "How about you have a seat?"

"Thanks," Nick said, sitting down. "We have copies of Katie's reports and letters from her teachers detailing the problems so far."

Maya took the file from Nick and set it aside. "What I'd really like to do first is talk to Katie and get to know her a little. Would that be alright, Katie?"

Katie shrugged. "I guess..."

Maya smiled. "How about you tell me a little bit about yourself first? What are some of your favourite things to do?"

"Dance," Katie answered. "Um... sometimes when my sister lets me help her with her art, I like to colour."

"That must be fun to help your sister," Maya commented.

"She's really good at drawing," Katie said, not even realising that she was opening up to this woman.

"I can't even draw stick figures," Maya confided.

Katie smiled. "I can't either."

"You know what I used to love to do when I was a kid?" Maya asked her. "I used to love to draw these things in my art class and bring them home to my parents and watch them try to guess what it was."

Katie giggled. "I never did that."

"Sometime I'll have to show you some of those and you can tell me if you can figure them out," Maya said grinning at her.

"Okay," Katie replied.

"And you and I have something else in common," Maya said motioning for Katie to look behind her. Katie turned and saw an old framed movie poster for Peter Pan. "Disney movies."

"Wow," Katie's eyes widened. "Tinkerbell!"

"My boyfriend gave that to me last Christmas," Maya said.

"You have a boyfriend?" Katie asked interestedly.

Maya nodded. "Sam. We've been together since Hogwarts."

"You went to Hogwarts?" Katie was awed. "Cool!"

Maya smiled. "I was a year ahead of your Uncle Ethan."

"He mentioned he knew of you," Julie said.

Maya looked conspiratorially at Katie. "You want to know a secret about your uncle?"

"Sure," Katie nodded eagerly.

Julie leaned forward, too. She was always looking for something to tease Ethan about.

"He asked me out once," Maya replied.

"He did?" Katie asked her eyes wide. "What did you say?"

Maya giggled. "Well, let's see...I was 16 and he was 15 and he came up to me in the library and ...I don't know if I should be telling you this...'

"It's okay," Katie wanted desperately to hear more.

"He swaggered over to my table," Maya continued. "And then he sat down and actually said...he was going to put me in detention because I'd stolen his heart..."

Nick guffawed. "Tell me he didn't..."

"I'm afraid so," Maya grinned. "But he's married now, isn't he?"

"Probably because he didn't use that line," Julie said laughing. "But yes, he is."

"I saw the picture in the paper," Maya said. "They make a lovely couple."

"Did you know my Aunt Maddie, too?" Katie asked.

"I knew of her, but she was at least four years under me," Maya replied.

Katie leaned back on the sofa.

"And what about school?" Maya asked. "What are your favourite subjects?"

Katie's smile drooped. "I don't really like anything."

"You have to have something," Maya prodded. "When I was in school, my favourite subjects were recess and lunch."

"Katie's quite good at maths," Nick said.

"I like numbers," Katie said quietly.

"That's very good," Maya said encouragingly. "Most of the kids I work with hate maths."

"It's much more fun than reading," Katie continued. "Numbers make sense. The words don't always..."

"Do they look backwards to you?" Maya asked her.

Katie nodded.

"If you'd let me, I'd like to help you," Maya said gently. "If we work on it, those words won't appear backwards. I can already tell you're one smart girl, Katie Malfoy."

"You...you can really help me?" Katie asked.

"If you'll let me," Maya smiled at her.

Katie looked at Maya. "And you won't tell anyone that you're helping me? I don't want anyone to know."

"It's not a bad thing to get help," Maya explained. "I promise, I won't make this seem like work to you, Katie."

Nick put his arm around Katie. "What do you say, sweetheart?"

"I guess," she said. "And I don't have extra homework to do?"

"You'll have to work on your reading," Maya told her.

Katie frowned.

"You'll grow to like it," Maya assured her.

"I suppose we could try it," Katie said quietly.

"I'm so glad to hear that," Maya smiled.

Julie kissed the top of Katie's head. "And we'll help you too, Katie. All of us."

"And Ashley won't take the mickey?" Katie asked.

"She wouldn't do that to you, Katie," Nick told her. "She'd help you."

"But if she does--" Katie began.

"We'll punish her," Nick finished. "But I don't think you'll have to worry about it."

"Okay then," Katie had to admit that she liked Maya. "I'll try."

"Fantastic," Maya said extending her hand to the girl. "And I'll tell you what on our first session, you can help me pick out a dress for this work do that Sam has."

"You want my help?" Katie asked, a smile growing on her face. "Really?"

"I can tell that you have a great fashion sense," Maya said admiringly. "And I need all the help I can get."

"Wow," Katie said. "That'll be really cool!"

"And would you be up for helping me pick out my accessories, too?" Maya asked.

"I'm really good at that," Katie agreed.

"Then I think we have a deal," Maya said smiling at her.

"She's good," Nick muttered to his wife.

Julie nodded. She made a mental note to thank Oliver for recommending her.

"So I'm thinking perhaps twice a week to start," Maya said. "We'll make sure this doesn't interfere with your dance classes, of course."

Katie smiled. "I'm trying to get the lead in our recital."

"Really?" Maya looked impressed.

"My best friend Caroline thinks I have a good chance," Katie said smugly.

"I'm sure she's right," Maya smiled at her.

"I think Tuesdays and Thursdays would be best," Julie said to Maya.

Maya opened a little book she had on the table and nodded. "Half past six is perfect."

"We should get going," Nick looked at his watch. "We appreciate you helping us out, Maya."

"I'm glad I can help," Maya smiled at them. "It was very nice to meet you, Katie Malfoy." she shook the young girl's hand.

"It's nice to meet you too," Katie said looking up at her.

"Well?" Nick asked his daughter after they'd left. "You like her, eh?"

"She seems okay," Katie said shrugging.

Julie nudged her. "You seemed to like her more than just okay..."

"I liked that she didn't want to just talk about reading," Katie admitted. "And she didn't treat me like a kid."

Nick nodded knowingly. "I really think she'll be able to help you, Katie Bear. And you know that's what your Mum and I really want."

"Just as long as no one knows," Katie said.

"Don't worry about that sweetheart," Julie took her daughter's hand. "Just concentrate on your reading."

"Okay, Mummy," Katie said worrying more about the recital than her tutoring.

Nick slid his arm around his wife. "How was your day?" he asked.

"Long," Julie admitted. "I have some essays to grade after dinner."

"It's almost the weekend," Nick said. "We'll have some time together soon."

Julie leaned against him. "I can't wait."

Nick kissed the side of her head.

"Can Caroline come over on Saturday?" Katie asked. "So we can practise our dance?"

"Sure," Julie replied. "If it's okay with her parents."

"Cool!" Katie said happily.

Nick picked her up and spun her around. "How that for a dance, Katie Bear?"

Katie laughed. "It's good, Daddy."

Nick kissed her cheek. "Okay, let's get home. I'm starving."

"I hope Greta made a big dinner," Julie said. "I'm pretty ravenous myself."

"She always does," Nick said with a laugh.

DD Cast Interviews: Saffron and Alexa

Heaven: *taps microphone* this thing on?

Amynoelle: I can hear you. I wonder if our guests can. Saffron? Alexa?

Saffron: Why are we using microphones?

Alexa: Maybe because they're in the States and we're here? It's probably the easiest way to communicate. This is so exciting!

Saffron: Yeah this is pretty cool. I heard you guys have questions for us?

Amynoelle: Yeah, but a comment first...we're sorry about all the drama we've put you through over the years. Well, not really sorry...we had to do it.

Saffron: I haven't had that much drama yet. I've got the perfect boyfriend, remember?

Amynoelle: *whispers to Heaven* she has no idea what we have in store for her...

Heaven: Shhh Amy! Don't let her hear you!

Amynoelle: Oooh, sorry! Right, um, Saffron...do you mind if I ask you a question first? Something that I've always been wondering? What is it like to be the daughter of two very high profile people?

Saffron: Well... it's been that way all my life. And my parents have been pretty cool for the most part. Sometimes it's weird when we go out and all these reporters and photographers are asking us dumb questions and taking pictures of us buying a jumper but I really haven't known things any other way.

Amynoelle: You've handled yourself quite well, if I do say so myself. Even though some people might call you a brat. You're a loveable brat and we've enjoyed watching you grow up.

Saffron: Why thank you! I happen to agree.

Alexa: *jokingly* don't get her started!

Heaven: Okay, okay... then I've got a question for you, Alexa. You and R.J. have taken your relationship to the next level and become intimate. While we know you love him, did the fear of maybe losing him help with your decision to go through with it or were you just ready?

Alexa: Wow...that's a big question. Um, well, I was really nervous about that because that is a HUGE step. But, I love him very much and I trust him with all my heart and soul. It happened a little sooner than I expected it to, but I have no regrets about our decision to become intimate. And I don't think I'm going to lose him. He's not the type who would have chucked me because I wanted to wait.

Saffron: We hope...

Alexa: Saffy...don't be so hard on him.

Heaven: That could actually lead into our next question. Saffron Grace Potter, did you ever fancy RJ?

Saffron: WHAT? You've got to be kidding me! *starts to laugh*

Alexa: They are like oil and water. I mean, that'd be like if Saffy's mum and RJ's dad were a couple! Could you imagine?

Heaven: No way! That just seems so wrong! That'd be like Saffron's father having a monster in his chest! Have you guys ever heard anything so ridiculous?

Saffron: You know, RJ brought that up one time and I thought it sounded stupid then too!

Amynoelle: And Saffron, how did you know that Andrew was the one for you? How was he different from Peter?

Saffron: I just knew, you know? I mean, Andrew was there, and I did fancy him a bit before everything with Peter happened. He was so sweet, and he's sooooooooooo gorgeous!

Amynoelle: Is it hard to be away from him? You miss him terribly...how do you cope?

Saffron: Well I have Lexie here. She's really the best friend a girl could have. And Beth and Mimi keep me occupied with their weird obsession with Professor Wood.

Alexa: And you guys only see a little of Beth and Mimi. Imagine what it's like living with them!

Heaven: No thanks- I have some friends who are strange enough as it is!

Amynoelle: Don't we all! And speaking of boyfriends, what drew you to your respective boyfriends and what keeps you drawn to them despite your distance?

Alexa: Well, for me...It's no secret that I've had a crush on RJ since I met him. And I never in a million years dreamed that he'd ever fancy me too.

Saffron: Do I have to explain it? Because Andrew's just perfect, totally perfect. How could anyone not be drawn to him? The distance sucks, but knowing I can see him on Hogsmeade weekends helps, and when I'm on holiday we spend as much time together as possible.

Alexa: It's the same for RJ and me. I'm really looking forward to the Christmas hols because we'll get to spend some quality time together. I am a little nervous about his team's Christmas party, but Saffy helped me pick out an outfit.

Saffron: She's going to look gorgeous! And if that slag Serena is there, she'll totally outshine her!

Alexa: Thanks, Saffy.

Amynoelle: Okay, girls. I have to mention a certain American boy...Gabriel Boyd.

Alexa: *blushes*

Saffron: Just so you guys know, she just turned REALLY red.

Amynoelle: Alexa, can you tell us just exactly what your feelings are toward Gabriel.

Alexa: Um, well...you've just put me on the spot. I-I really like him...as a friend. He was really nice to me when we met in Brighton and I guess we sort of connected because we had a lot in common but I mean, we're just friends. That's all. I know that's pretty boring, but that's how it is. Really. Absolutely. Yeah...

Saffron: *jokingly* Yeah...

Heaven: Yes and now Saffron, what is your view on what happened between Gabe and Alexa? Do you think they were to blame for what happened? Would you have supported them if they had gotten together? How would you have dealt with RJ in that case?

Saffron: I think when they kissed, RJ was confusing Lexie because he was never around and that slag was always where he was. And she and Gabriel had gotten close and it just happened. And if Lex is happy, then I'm happy for her, whether it's with Gabriel or RJ.

Alexa: Thanks, Saffy.

Amynoelle: Now, Alexa: When times were still a little rocky with RJ, did you have secret second thoughts about Gabe at any point?

Alexa: Um...

Saffron: *giggles*

Alexa: Is RJ going to hear this?

Amynoelle: Of course not...this is just four girls having a nice chat. Honestly...

Alexa: Okay...well maybe....in the back of my mind, I thought about what it might be like to be with Gabriel. But that's all it was....just a thought.

Heaven: He's pretty cute. And his dad is a world famous director...

Amynoelle: He is cute, but RJ has known her the longest and they are pretty solid.

Alexa: *looks quizzically at Saffron*

Saffron: I don't know what they're going on about...

Amynoelle *whispers to Heaven* eventually we're going to have to choose. And need I remind you that at one time we were going to put Allison with Josh...

Heaven: Heaven: Shhhh we can't talk about this yet!

Amynoelle: Sorry....I have a bit of a big mouth! You know that about me!

Heaven: it's okay. I'm sure Jude can appreciate that quality in you.

Amynoelle: *blushes* some might call me delusional...

Heaven: I'd rather be delusional than a follower.

Saffron: Are we still doing the interview? Cause Andrew just sent me an owl and I want to go read it...

Amynoelle: Okay, you're right. Sorry...this question was supposed to go just to Alexa, but I think you both could answer it. 'What would you do if someone very close to you, who you care for dearly (leave out family) lied to you on a very serious matter and you are having to face dire consequences for it?'.

Alexa: Well, I would hope that I would listen to that person and find out their reasons for lying to me. That's really a tough question. I don't really know how I would handle it. That would be an awful thing for someone to do. Saffy, what would you do?

Saffron: Beat them over the head.

Amynoelle: You know...I can see why people might be scared of you. You're brilliant, of course, but kind of scary...

Saffron: Thanks! I consider that a compliment.

Heaven: Saffron, you and I are of the same mind. I'd do the same thing. It can be quite therapeutic!

Amynoelle: Okay, before you two start planning your world domination, can we get back to the interview?

Heaven: This might be more fun...

Amynoelle: Alright, alright....Saffron...do you see marriage in your future with Andrew?

Saffron: Marriage? I'm only sixteen! I'm not getting married for a long, long time!

Amynoelle: But if you could look into the future like your sister-in-law, Maddie....do you see yourself with Andrew?

Saffron: I don't know... I mean, I'd love it, because he's my Andrew, but I don't know how things will change. I guess I'd say I hope so...

Heaven: Well for that matter- what's been your best date, or moment with Andrew?

Saffron: You want me to pick ONE time? *laughs* I guess it'd have to be that first kiss we had... or no... When we were in Brighton and we were snogging- wait that's no good, my dad walked in and we had our first fight after that. I know! The Hogsmeade weekend when he came to see me. That was the best day...

Alexa: I know this wasn’t directed at me, but I think the most romantic thing that RJ's ever done for me was something recently actually...when he surprised me the other night at Hogwarts. I wasn't expecting him at all and ...he gave me that promise ring...I fell in love with him all over again!

Saffron: I'm not going to say a word about that...

Alexa: I know you thought it was a bad idea...

Saffron: For once, I'm just not going to say anything.

Amynoelle: Do you feel your relationship has gotten better since you and RJ got intimate? I mean, he writes a lot more and the two of you haven't had so many problems like before.

Alexa: We're definitely a lot closer. And he been more attentive, but I'd like to think it wasn't just because we're sleeping together now. I would like to think that he would be the same regardless. Things have changed between us and it's hard being apart like this. I mean, he's living out his dream right now and I'm very proud and supportive of that. But I do feel a little left out that I can't be there to share that with him. But the distance is going to be a test for us, but I think we're strong enough to make it work.

Saffron: To give the devil his due, RJ does love her a lot. And I don't think he'd purposely hurt her.

Amynoelle: You know, Saffron...you really didn't answer that question we posed to you earlier. I mean, at one time, you were considering what it would be like to be RJ's girlfriend...I mean you two did kiss a couple of times.

Saffron: Don't remind me!

Amynoelle: Sorry, I had to ask!

Saffron: It was all Ethan's fault. He told RJ about that and he had no right to! And I'll admit for like a day, I wondered what it would be like but it would never have lasted. Ever. Not like me and Andrew.

Amynoelle: And you had no idea that your best friend had a crush on him at all?

Saffron: Not until she told me she saw us kissing.

Alexa: I'm sorry for not telling you. I mean that's the only secret I've ever kept from you.

Saffron: It all worked out.

Amynoelle: This has been really fun, ladies. We're glad you're not that mad at us...yet.

Saffron: As long as I've got my Andrew I can't really be mad at anyone.

Heaven: Really...

Alexa: What was that look for? You guys are scaring me...

Heaven: You can see us? Wow this magic thing is cooler than I ever thought...

Alexa: It is, you two should try it some time.

Amynoelle: We can't! We're Muggles! Delusional and militant Muggles..

Heaven: Oh yeah... totally militant. Whatever!

Amynoelle: Oh, Saffron...I have something to ask you. How does it feel to have your father known as "Wizard McDreamy"?

Saffron: *laughs* maybe you should ask my mum

Amynoelle: We tried to...we even went to their house and knocked on the door, but they wouldn't answer. But we could hear them inside...

Heaven: Rabbits...

Saffron: I don't want to hear any more!

Amynoelle: Moving on.... is Emma Weasley as cute as she sounds?

Saffron and Alexa: Adorable!!!

Amynoelle: We just love her.

Heaven: I think everyone loves her. Especially when you see her with Ron. One of these days they're going to have an eating contest and I think Emma will win.

Amynoelle: She would...and then she'd give him a Magic Mud facial.

Everyone laughs.

Heaven: Well this has definitely been fun. Perhaps down the line we'll do it again! But I know you're eager to go read your letter, Saffron.

Alexa: And I think I need to go lay down...I've felt kind of queasy all day.

Heaven: That's not good! You should probably go see Madam Pomfrey!

Alexa: I will. I promise. Come on, Saffy.

Saffron: Okay... bye you guys!

Amynoelle: Bye, Lexie! Bye, Saffy! Behave yourselves. And jus remember...it's not personal....anything that happens is for storyline purposes only.

Heaven: SHHHHH!!!

139. 139

CHAPTER ONE HUNDRED THIRTY NINE

Authors' note: We really appreciate the response we received on the interview with Saffron and Alexa. You get an Alexa-centric chapter but don't worry Hannah will be back next chapter. And remember leave us your questions for Frankie & Will before Friday, Sept 29th!

The weekend arrived at Hogwarts with Saffron practically obsessed about that afternoon's match against Ravenclaw. Alexa had rarely seen her best friend all week as Saffron had devoted every free moment to her game plan. Alexa knew she probably wouldn't see her best friend until after the match, but at least it gave her time to concentrate on her reading. She was reading a book from one of her favourite authors that her mother had sent to her just a few days ago.

The Great Hall wasn't too crowded that morning because most students were having a proper lie-in, but Alexa had never been one for sleeping late. She'd dressed quickly, grabbed her book and headed downstairs for a breakfast of French toast and bacon. She looked up from her book to see the owl post start to arrive.

She hadn't heard from RJ since his secret visit and she hoped to receive a letter from him soon.

To her delight, an old barn owl plopped an envelope down before her. She grinned when she saw her boyfriend's familiar messy handwriting.

Alexa eagerly ripped into the envelope and she quickly scanned the contents of the letter. What she read, however, made the smile drop from her face.

Lexie:

I hope that you are doing well and that you aren't missing me too much. I think about you way too much. So much in fact, that my team mates have teased me unmercifully about it.

I can't stop thinking about that night in the Astronomy Tower. I did something that I'm not very proud of.

I told you that I was protected when in fact I wasn't. I didn't cast any spell- I wanted you so bad and I couldn't wait to have you.

It was crazy and reckless of me and I've felt guilty about it ever since. And thankfully, you haven't written to tell me that you were...well, that you were...you know...

"I can't believe him," Alexa muttered angrily. "Of course I wouldn't know yet..." she put the letter down and rubbed her temples.

Saffron led her team mates into the Great Hall. "Eat well, guys. You're going to need your strength today. But don't eat too much where you feel like you're going to be sick."

Imelda laughed. "Saf, how about you fill up our plates for us?"

"Very funny Melds," Saffron retorted, seeing her best friend sitting at the table.

She walked over and plopped down across from her. "Good morning, Lexie. Do you smell that? That, my dear friend, is fear from the Ravenclaws. They know that we're going to kick their...what's wrong?"

Alexa shook her head, too upset to talk. "Just read this..." she shoved the letter across the table.

Saffron took the letter and read it, her mouth dropping. "Is he a complete idiot?"

"God, Saffy... he didn't use anything!" Alexa said. "I can't believe he'd do this to me!"

Saffron shook her head. "Well, we know what he was thinking with!"

"Obviously," Alexa felt tears well up in her eyes. "What am I going to do?"

"It's been a month since that happened, right?" Saffron asked. "I-I think you need to go and see Madam Pomfrey, Lex."

"What should I tell her?" Alexa asked softly. "I mean... I'm really scared. I can't be... pregnant."

"I'm sure you're not," Saffron said keeping her voice low so no one else could hear. "But it would give you peace of mind and anything you tell her is confidential, Lexie. You're certainly not the first girl to go see her about that."

"I just can't believe RJ would lie like that, about something so important," Alexa said.

"I know," Saffron said angrily. "I knew when I opened the door that night and saw him that it was a bad idea."

"I wish I had listened to you," Alexa said softly.

"It's going to be okay," Saffron reassured her. "If you want to wait until after the match, I can go with you."

Alexa nodded after a moment. "Thanks Saffy."

"It's what friends are for," Saffron said smiling at her. "It's going to be okay, Lex. Either way, I promise."

"I don't know how I'll be able to concentrate on anything else now," Alexa muttered. "I want to kill him Saffy."

"You'll have to get behind me," Saffron said stabbing her fork into her French toast. "Out of all the stupid things he's done in the past, this one is the most idiotic!"

"I really have to agree for once," Alexa pushed away her plate. She was too upset to finish her meal now.

"Look, why don't you just go upstairs and have a kip or read your book?" Saffron suggested. "I'll understand if you don't want to go to the match."

"You'll really understand?" Alexa asked. "I want to support you but--"

Saffron waved her hand. "You've been to every other match. Don't worry about it. It's okay."

Alexa nodded. "I'm just going to sit in our room. Maybe I'll watch from the window."

"I'll be back as soon as it's over," Saffron promised.

"Okay," Alexa took her book. "I'm going to head up there now."

Saffron handed Alexa RJ's letter. "Don't forget this."

"Yeah," Alexa crumpled the note in her hand. She was so angry with her boyfriend at the moment she didn't even know what to say to him.

Ewan took Alexa's vacated seat beside Saffron who glared at him.

"What?" Ewan asked looking at her defensively. He pointed to his plate. "Lots of protein here, Saf."

"You blokes only think of one thing!" Saffron retorted.

"What?" Ewan looked startled. "What did I do?"

Saffron just shook her head. "And then you always ask questions like that when you bloody well know exactly what you did!"

"I didn't do anything..." Ewan replied. "What are you going on about?"

Saffron pushed her plate aside and stood up. "Be on the pitch in 15 minutes!"

"Okay..." Ewan said as Saffron stalked off. "Can anyone tell me what just happened here?"

One of Ewan's mates shrugged. "Maybe it's her time of the month..."

"Like you'd know anything about that," Imelda rolled her eyes.

Upstairs in the dorm, Alexa was curled up on her bed contemplating what she should do. She wished that she had a Muggle phone and that it'd work here so she could scream her lungs out at RJ.

She knew if she was Saffron, she would send a Howler, but she didn't want anyone aside from her best friend to know about what was going on.

Her eyes fell on the frame beside her bed. RJ stared back at her waving enthusiastically at her. "Wanker," she muttered turning the frame down.

From a distance, she could hear the roar of the school on the Quidditch pitch and she was glad that her roommates were there and not here badgering her. Beth and Mimi were convinced that RJ had been there and it was hard to hide things from them.

This morning, she'd been so happy and now...she was facing the possibility that she could very well be pregnant....at 16.

She lay in bed staring at her canopy for a few minutes longer before she grabbed a piece of parchment and began writing a letter. She did three pages in about fifteen minutes, telling him everything she was feeling at that moment.

The sad thing was, she thought as she folded the letter and placed it in an envelope, was that he probably would just dismiss her feelings. Tell her she was overreacting and that it would never happen again. But, she'd trusted him and he'd let her down and both of their lives could be changed forever because of it.

She set that letter aside and then paused a moment before starting another one- this time to Gabriel.

Gabe:

I know I haven't written in awhile, but I've been really busy. Not busy, but a little preoccupied, I guess you could say.

I hope me writing this to you doesn't make you very uncomfortable, but I desperately need a guy's opinion and there's no guy I'd trust more than you to tell me the truth.

Things with RJ and me had been going great. Even though I felt left out of his new life, he was so attentive and loving to me. He wrote some really great letters to me and I thought that everything was perfect. Until a few weeks ago when he snuck into the castle to see me.

Alexa wrote about their impromptu night together, leaving out the truly intimate details.

I trusted him and he lied to me, Gabe. I never thought he would do that. And now, I don't know what to do.

Again, I hope I'm not making you completely uncomfortable, given what happened over summer hols, but you're a good friend Gabe. I feel like I can tell you just about anything.

She signed her name and folded this letter, placing it into an envelope. She grabbed the letter to RJ and headed up to the owlery.

A couple of hours later, Saffron returned to their room, grinning from ear to ear because they'd won the match. She'd left the victory party on the pitch to check on her friend.

"How you doing?" Saffron asked.

"Okay," Alexa shrugged. "You won, I take it?"

"Thanks to yours truly," Saffron said proudly. Her expression turned serious as she took in the sight of her best friend. "Just let me get changed and we'll go to the hospital wing."

"Thanks Saffy," Alexa said. "It really means a lot to me."

"And then you and I can sneak to the kitchens and nick some ice cream," Saffron said grinning at her.

Alexa smiled. "You are the best."

"If more people would just accept that fact, think of what a happier world this would be," Saffron mused.

Alexa couldn't help but laugh. "Truer words were never spoken."

Saffron quickly changed into jeans and a sweatshirt and a few minutes later, she and Alexa were waiting to see Madam Pomfrey.

"Here she comes," Saffron said putting her hand on Alexa's arm for support.

"Please don't tell me you injured yourself, Miss Potter," Madam Pomfrey said sternly.

"Not me Madam Pomfrey," Saffron answered. "I'm fit as a fiddle."

"Then what on earth are you doing here?" Madam Pomfrey asked questioningly. "You know, you aren't in here nearly as much as your poor father..."

"She's here with me," Alexa interrupted. "Um... I need a..."

"Speak up, Miss O'Leary," Madam Pomfrey urged.

"A.... I need..." Alexa couldn't form the words.

"She needs a pregnancy test," Saffron finished softly.

Madam Pomfrey looked admonishingly at Alexa. "Miss O'Leary..."

Alexa couldn't even face the nurse.

"Right then," Madam Pomfrey said quietly. "Come with me."

"Can Saffy please come too?" Alexa asked.

Madam Pomfrey hesitated for a moment before nodding. "This way, girls."

"Thank you Madam Pomfrey," Alexa looked at her best friend.

"Sixteen years old," Madam Pomfrey said quietly. "Too young to be doing such things, if you ask me."

Alexa pressed her lips together and remained silent as Saffron reached for her hand and squeezed it.

"You are aware of the various protection charms, are you not?" Madam Pomfrey asked as Alexa and Saffron sat down on one of the beds. Thankfully, there were no other students in the hospital wing that day. "If not, we can go over some of the more elementary ones, Miss O'Leary. You young people think that you're invincible."

"I know," Alexa snapped. "It was an accident!"

Madam Pomfrey looked sympathetically at her for the first time since she'd arrived.

"They have been careful," Saffron said to Madam Pomfrey. "Except this one time which is why we're here."

"Please," Alexa said softly. "I just need to know."

"Miss Potter, if you'd just stand up so your friend can lie down on the bed," Madam Pomfrey requested.

"Right," Saffron said doing as she was told.

Alexa laid back, her hands trembling. She had never been so nervous in all her life.

Madam Pomfrey stood over her murmuring a certain incantation over and over again as she waved her wand over Alexa's abdomen.

"What does it look like Saffy?" Alexa whimpered. "Am I?"

"I don't know," Saffron replied.

"Well," Madam Pomfrey said a few moments later. "You're not pregnant."

Alexa breathed out a sigh of relief. "You're positive?"

Madam Pomfrey pocketed her wand and nodded. "I hope that this scare will teach you to be more careful, Miss O'Leary."

"I will be more careful," Alexa vowed. "He's not getting this opportunity again for awhile."

Madam Pomfrey nodded. "Take care, girls."

"Thank you Madam Pomfrey," Alexa said. "I appreciate this."

"I hope I don't see you in here again asking for this test," Madam Pomfrey said before heading back to her office.

"That was a close one," Saffron told her friend when they were alone.

"I don't think I've ever been this angry with RJ," Alexa said, her hands clenched. "How irresponsible could he be?"

Saffron shook her head at a loss for words. She wanted to make her friend smile. "Well, think of it this way. I don't plan on having children for awhile and we always said that our kids would be the bestest of friends, remember?"

"Right," Alexa said softly.

Saffron stood and up and held her hand out. "Come on. You and I have a date with some butter pecan ice cream."

Alexa smiled. "I'm so glad you're here Saffy."

"Of course," Saffron said with a grin.

"And ice cream sound perfect right now," Alexa said.

"And we'll get to hear Dobby serenade me again because of my mum," Saffron giggled. "He really goes a bit over the top."

"He's so cute," Alexa agreed.

"He is," Saffron said as she and Alexa made their way out of the hospital wing.

They walked in silence for a few minutes. "I just can't believe this," Alexa said. "I mean... I could have been pregnant Saffy. I could be having a baby because RJ didn't bother to protect himself."

"But you're not," Saffron said. "And maybe this will teach him that you can't be too careful with something like this."

"I really gave it to him in the letter I wrote earlier," Alexa confessed.

"Good," Saffron said. "It's good that you told him how you felt about it."

"You're lucky," Alexa said softly. "Andrew would never have done this to you."

"Lex," Saffron said.

"He wouldn't have," Alexa said. "And you know it."

Saffron looked thoughtfully at her friend. "I would hope not, but Lex...RJ still loves you. I mean he made a colossal error in judgment, yes, but he still loves you very much. I know that."

"I guess," Alexa rubbed her eyes. "I just feel so betrayed."

"I know," Saffron said giving her a hug. "But you guys will get through this. You've gone through so much together."

"Yeah," Alexa said. "But I'm still going to really give it to him next time I see him."

"I'll hold him down while you throttle him," Saffron said with a grin.

"I had a feeling you'd understand that," Alexa finally smiled.

"I never need an excuse to give RJ a hard time, you know that," Saffron said with a laugh.

Alexa giggled. "That's very true."

"We have that Hogsmeade weekend coming up soon," Saffron said. "We can ambush him then."

"He won't know what hit him," Alexa agreed.

Saffron giggled. "Revenge..."

Two Slytherin girls passing them smirked. "Revenge?" one of them asked. "Would you be talking about Nick Malfoy's revenge on your sister, Prefect Potter?"

"What are you two airheads talking about?" Saffron retorted.

"Your sister and our gorgeous new headmaster," the other girl smirked. "They're having quite the affair it seems."

"Annie, why don't you and Marianne go on your own way and leave us alone?" Alexa asked them. "And stop spreading rumours."

"Oh but they aren't rumours, O'Leary," Marianne said with a smirk. "We heard the two of them with our very own ears."

"Here's a newsflash for you, you half-wit," Saffron said sarcastically. "They work together. He's her boss. They have to talk from time to time."

"About everything in their personal lives?" Marianne asked with a knowing smirk. "And in her office, late at night with the door closed?"

"And what were you doing out after curfew?" Saffron asked folding her arms. "That's against school rules. I could take points..."

"Then take points," Annie replied. "But it doesn't change the fact that your sister is a cheating whore."

Without thinking, Saffron slapped the Slytherin on the cheek. "Don't you ever say anything about my sister ever again!"

Marianne shoved her. "Don't you dare slap her!"

"Don't you dare shove me," Saffron said rounding on her. Alexa tried to hold her friend back.

"Saf, they're not worth it," Alexa urged.

"Thirty points from Slytherin, each of you," Saffron snarled.

"And what about you?" Annie asked rubbing her cheek. "How many points do you plan to take from Gryffindor, you hypocrite!"

"You're lucky I only took thirty points," Saffron said angrily. "For spreading rumours about a professor AND our headmaster!"

"Why don't you just go cry to your mummy and daddy about how unfair it all is?" Marianne asked glaring at her. "That's what you do best, isn't it?"

"I think you've mistaken me for you," Saffron smirked.

"And what are you looking at, O'Dreary?" Annie asked. "You are such a follower."

"Would you like another thirty points off?" Saffron knew she was slightly abusing her power but she didn't care. "I suggest you two be on your miserable way before I have to report you both."

"I'm going to tell Professor Snape about this," Annie said haughtily before grabbing her friend by the arm and leading her away.

"What a stupid bitch," Saffron said furiously.

"They're such cows," Alexa agreed. "Starting rumours like that about Julie and Headmaster Wood."

"I hate them both," Saffron said scathingly. "I'm going to tell my sister about this."

"Good idea," Alexa said. "Saf, I can't believe you slapped her..."

"I really didn't mean to," Saffron confessed. "But when she called my sister a..." she shook her head. "I can't even say that about Jules."

"Julie would never cheat on Nick," Alexa said quietly. "She and the headmaster are just really good friends."

"They are," Saffron said. "They really are. Julie told me all about it last time we had lunch together. She's been having trouble with my niece and sometimes it just helps her to talk to someone outside the family."

"Katie?" Alexa asked.

Saffron nodded. "You've got to swear you'll never tell anyone this..."

"Of course," Alexa promised.

"Katie's got dyslexia," Saffron lowered her voice. "And she's been taking out her frustration on Julie."

"No wonder Julie has looked a little preoccupied these past few weeks," Alexa said thoughtfully.

"It's been really tough on her," Saffron replied. "Nick tried to make a deal with Katie that she'd work on her reading 4 days a week but she hasn't been living up to it apparently."

"This can't be easy for her," Alexa said sympathetically.

"It really isn't," Saffron agreed as they reached the kitchens. "That's why those stupid Slytherin bints making up rumours pisses me off so much."

"They're just looking to cause trouble," Alexa said. "Anyone who knows your sister knows she wouldn't do this..."

"Oooh!" they heard a familiar voice say behind them. "Saffron Potter Miss!"

Saffron couldn't help but smile at the little elf. "Hello Dobby."

Alexa smiled as the elf wrapped his arms around Saffron's leg and beamed up at her. "Have you come to see, Dobby?"

"Yes," Saffron laughed. "Just to see you, Dobby."

Dobby twirled around happily. "Mister Harry Potter's little girl came to see Dobby!"

Saffron was pleased to see her best friend giggle at the little elf's antics. "Hey Dobby? Have you got any ice cream here?"

Dobby stopped twirling and scratched his chin. "Chocolate? Strawberry? Vanilla? Butter Pecan? Black Currant? Pistachio? Rocky Road? Chocolate Chip?"

"Dobby," Alexa protested as the elf snapped his fingers at each flavour. Large tubs of the ice cream appeared on one of the large tables.

"Oh my goodness," Saffron replied. "Um... we don't need that much, Dobby."

"Really," Alexa said nodding. "We just wanted a small bowl..."

"Dobby can do that," the elf said eagerly, snapping his fingers again.

"Mister Harry Potter told me to look after his girls," Dobby said happily producing two bowls of ice cream. "Dobby won't let Mister Harry Potter down."

"I'll have to tell my dad about how great you are," Saffron said.

"Harry Potter freed Dobby," Dobby told Alexa as if she hadn't heard the story hundreds of times before.

Alexa nodded. "I think that's lovely."

"And Harry Potter's love gave Dobby money," Dobby continued happily. "Now Dobby can buy presents for Winky!"

Alexa smiled. "What did you buy her, Dobby?"

If Dobby could have blushed, he would have. "Flowers," he said. "And socks... many, many socks."

"That's very sweet," Alexa said. "I'm sure she's very happy."

"Does your Wheezy give you socks?" Dobby asked Alexa.

Alexa's smile fell from her face. "Um... no... No socks."

"Oooh, ring!" Dobby exclaimed seeing the one on her finger. "Your Wheezy give you that?"

"Yeah," Alexa replied.

Dobby beamed at her before going off to join Winky.

"Lex?" Saffron asked.

"Hm?" Alexa twisted the ring around her finger.

"Don't be sad," Saffron ordered. "Come on, we're not going to think about boys at all today."

"I can't help it," Alexa said. "I mean... he's so sweet, sneaking in to see me, giving me a promise ring... and then he goes and messes everything up."

"He did tell you," Saffron said quietly. "I mean, he didn't have to..."

Alexa looked at her friend. "I'm surprised you're sticking up for him," she said.

Saffron shrugged. "So am I, but even with all his faults, he does love you, Lexie. And he did a completely boneheaded thing, but I think it does say something for him that he did tell you. He could have kept it secret."

"I guess you’re right," Alexa stirred her ice cream around. "But I'm still glad I gave it to him in that letter."

"I am too," Saffron said. "You've come a long way from that shy girl who wouldn't speak two words to him without her cheeks turning bright red."

Alexa smiled. "A lot has changed for me..."

"And don't you ever tell him that I took up for him," Saffron said with a grin. "Because I'll deny it."

Alexa giggled. "It's our secret."

Back in London, RJ was lying on his bed staring up at the ceiling. Alexa's letter was unopened on the bedside table. He was scared to read it, but truth be told, he was glad it wasn't a red envelope. That was a good sign at least.

"RJ," Andrew called out from the other room. "You want to go down to the pub with me and the guys?"

"Um..." RJ thought for a moment. "I'll meet you there in a bit?"

Andrew came into the room. His friend's hair was a mess and he hadn't shaved in a few days. "You look like shite, mate. You aren't still upset because of that match, are you? That was over a month ago, RJ. You haven't lost a match since..."

"It's not that," RJ ran his hands through his hair. "I just... I did something really horrible and I feel like shite for it."

"Did you shag Serena Starr?" Andrew asked point-blank.

"No," RJ replied. "I just... you remember that night after the match how I snuck into Hogwarts to see Lexie?"

"I still can't believe you did that," Andrew said quietly. "But what about it?"

"Lex and I slept together... and I told her I was protected when I really wasn't," RJ muttered.

Andrew gaped at him. "And I take it she wasn't..."

RJ shook his head silently.

"Is she---" Andrew asked. "Is she....or is it too soon to tell?"

"I don't know." RJ replied. "I haven't opened her letter yet."

"Why not?" Andrew asked.

RJ shrugged. "Nerves..."

Andrew shook his head. "Grow some and open the damn letter, RJ."

RJ glared at his friend before snatching the letter and ripping it open.

RJ:

This morning, I woke up as I usually do. I looked at that photograph of you and me from your sister's wedding. I told you how I have it right beside my bed so that your face is the first one I see every morning. Well, after reading your letter, I can't bear to look at it.

RJ almost tossed it aside but Andrew grabbed his wrist. "Read it," he said sternly.

RJ took a deep breath before continuing.

How could you lie to me like that? It would have taken 30 seconds for one or both of us to do that charm, but you didn't care, did you?

He read the rest of the letter in a subdued voice and Andrew gave his best friend a look. "You know you deserved every word of that, right?"

RJ nodded wordlessly.

"You'd be lucky if she forgives you for this," Andrew said.

"I shouldn't have told her," RJ said quietly.

"And nine months down the line, if she pops out a kid, don't tell her then either?" Andrew asked sharply.

RJ glared at him. "She's not pregnant, Andrew. It was just that one time."

"You don't know that," Andrew pointed out. "She didn't tell you if she was or wasn't in the letter."

RJ got to his feet and walked over to the window. "I can't be..."

"If I were you," Andrew said thoughtfully. "I'd owl her back and apologise some more. You're really going to have to make this up to her RJ."

RJ was silent as he looked out the window to the street below. He was far too young to be someone's father. Getting married so young was fine for Jon, but it wasn't what RJ wanted.

"Look," Andrew said. "You know if she's pregnant, I'll be here for you both."

RJ turned around and looked at his friend. "I think I will go with you to the pub."

"Aren't you going to write her back?" Andrew asked.

RJ shook his head. "Not now."

"When?" Andrew pressed.

"Leave it, Andrew," RJ said angrily. "I'll write to her when I know what to say, alright?"

Andrew held his hands up. "Fine," he replied. "But you realise that you can't just ignore this and it'll go away, RJ."

"WHATEVER!" RJ roared. "I'll take care of it, all right?"

Andrew sighed. "Fine."

RJ pulled a jumper on as they left the flat. "Where are we going?"

"I told Derek and Jason we'd meet them at The Trafalgar," Andrew said quietly. He wished he could knock some sense into his best friend.

"Cool," RJ nodded, walking ahead.

"We don't have to go," Andrew said. "We could go to a film or maybe to see your uncles..."

"The pub is fine," RJ quickened his pace. The sooner he could get pissed, the better off he'd be.

They walked the rest of the way to the pub in silence. Derek and Jason were already there.

"You won't believe what this sorry arse has done," Derek said to them. "Jason took leave of his senses and asked Monica to marry him..."

"Whoa!" Andrew exclaimed. "That's fantastic mate!"

"What the hell did you do that for?" RJ asked.

"I love her," Jason answered.

"You're 18 bloody years old," RJ said shaking his head.

"So what?" Andrew asked. "I think it's fantastic."

"What can I get you to drink?" the bartender asked cutting off RJ's retort.

"A round," Andrew said. "On me!"

Jason grinned. "I can't get pissed though. Monica and I are going over to her parents' later."

"One or two shots won't kill you," Andrew joked.

"Okay," Jason said clapping Andrew on the back.

RJ stood back and couldn't believe this. Jason was getting married? This was all too much. "Could you be quick about it?" he asked the bartender.

"Hiya," a soft voice said from behind. "I had a feeling you'd be here."

RJ turned. "Serena," he said in surprise. "What are you doing here?"

She put her arms around his neck. "Waiting for you," she whispered in his ear.

Andrew turned and glared at his best friend. "RJ," he said coolly.

"RJ's a big boy, aren't you, RJ?" Serena asked nuzzling his neck. "You don't need Andy's permission, do you?"

"Hell no," RJ said, grabbing his shot off the counter and downing it.

Serena grinned triumphantly at Andrew. "I'll make sure he behaves, Andy."

Andrew only shook his head.

An hour later, Andrew was playing a game of billiards with Derek and Jason. RJ was nowhere to be found, but every so often, he heard Serena's shrill laughter.

"He's an idiot," Andrew said. "He's got Alexa but he lets Serena hang all over him."

"That's not all he's doing," Derek said motioning with head to the bar. "Look..."

Andrew whipped his head around, his eyes nearly bugging out at the sight in front of him.

RJ and Serena were kissing like there was no tomorrow. Andrew pushed his way through the crowd and tapped his friend on the shoulder. "RJ."

"Shove off," RJ muttered before pressing his lips back to Serena's.

Andrew grabbed his friend by the arm. "RJ, do you remember Alexa? Sweet girl? Red hair, brown eyes? Do you remember any of that?"

"Um..." RJ slurred.

"RJ," Serena purred, but he pushed her away.

"Come on," Andrew said shortly. "We're going home."

RJ nodded and Serena could only watch in dismay as Andrew and RJ left the pub.

"What the hell were you doing?" Andrew asked furiously. "Do you realise you were just photographed snogging Serena? It's going to be all over the papers!"

RJ struggled to keep his balance. "Lexie..."

"Yeah you just cheated on your girlfriend," Andrew pulled him along.

"I-I didn't mean to," RJ mumbled.

"Well you did," Andrew yanked him up the stairs to their flat.

RJ stumbled on the steps. "Lexie."

"You need to lie down," Andrew said. "And once your head clears you'd better figure out how you're going to apologise for this too."

RJ nodded and collapsed in a heap on the sofa once Andrew had opened the door and drug him inside. He honestly didn't know why he had done what he had.

Andrew disappeared for several minutes in the kitchen and then came back with a goblet full of sobering potion. "Drink this," he said.

RJ took the goblet with unsteady hands, but did as Andrew asked.

Andrew watched his best friend drink the contents. "Sleep it off a bit," he said.

"I might be someone's father," RJ said sleepily as he lay back down on the sofa.

"Yeah," Andrew shook his head. He wondered if he should write to Saffron about what had happened.

"Baby," RJ slurred before falling asleep.

140. 140 - Frankie and Will interview at the end!

Well this chapter deals LOADS with Hannah, which I’m sure you guys will love. Also, we do have the interview this week with Frankie and Will at the end of this chapter. Next week, we’ll be interviewing Harry and Hermione, which I’m sure you’ve all been waiting for ;)

Please review and let us know what you think!!! You guys are awesome!

Hannah was very excited about Caroline's party. So excited that she barely slept the night before. Frankie came over early to help her and Jenny get ready.

"How should we fix your hair, Madam?" Frankie asked as she ran a brush through Hannah's brown hair.

"I don't know," Hannah said. "How's Caroline going to wear hers?"

"Two plaits, I think," Frankie replied.

"Then that's the way I want to wear mine," Hannah said.

Frankie smiled. "You've got it."

"My hair's not long enough for plaits," Jenny tugged on her tresses.

"I can fix that," Frankie grinned at her. "If you'd like."

"You can?" Jenny looked up at her with wide eyes. "How?"

Frankie picked up her wand and said a simple charm which caused Jenny's black hair to grow to her shoulders.

"WOW!" the girl squealed. "It looks so pretty!"

"Yes it does," Frankie agreed.

"Will it stay like this forever?" Jenny asked her.

Frankie shook her head. "Just for tonight, I'm afraid."

"Oh," Jenny deflated a bit. "Well that's okay. Thanks Frankie!"

"You're very welcome," Frankie said. "You should go get your skirt, Jenny."

"Okay," Jenny scampered out of Hannah's room.

"She's really pretty with her hair like that," Hannah said shyly as Frankie began to plait her hair.

"Yes, she is," Frankie said. "Are you excited?"

Hannah nodded. "Do you think Caroline will like the new dresses we got her?"

Frankie had taken Hannah and Jenny to the shops the other day and they'd bought Caroline two new dresses that Frankie had assured both girls her niece would love.

"I do," Frankie said thoughtfully. "You really do have a great eye for fashion, Hannah."

"You really think so?" Hannah asked happily. "I want to dress just like you do when I grow up!"

"I do," Frankie said grinning down at Hannah. They were still nowhere near close to getting her father to agree to sign the papers, but Mrs. Roman was still trying to find a way around it.

Hannah blushed as Frankie finished her hair. "And Emma's birthday is right after Christmas right?"

"New Years Eve," Frankie replied. "I can't believe she's going to be three years old."

"Her mummy went to sleep after she had her, right?" Hannah asked. "Caroline told me she did, and they thought she wouldn't wake up."

Frankie nodded. "We were all so scared--Jon and Caroline most of all. That's why Caroline was so worried about her mum having Adam."

"But she's okay," Hannah added. "And Adam's really, really cute!"

"Which is why we have to hurry up and get ready," Frankie said. "Allie's got her hands full with the party plans and taking care of a newborn so I promised that I'd get there early to help."

"I'll go get dressed right now," Hannah scurried over to her little closet.

Jenny came back into the room wearing her bathing suit top and grass skirt. She was carrying her cloak in her hands. "Joey and Zach are such goofballs. They just made fun of me for wearing a skirt!"

Hannah giggled as she emerged in her own little grass skirt.

"Well those boys don't know what they're talking about!" Frankie said. "You both look gorgeous!"

Hannah did a little twirl in her skirt. She liked playing dress up like this and hoped one day that she'd have a party just like this. Frankie helped her on with her coat and the three of them set off for downstairs. Luna had already left. Ron had agreed to stay behind with the boys and Caitlin. He'd taken Caroline out to breakfast earlier since he wouldn't be able to go to the party.

"We're going!" Hannah announced to him. Frankie was amazed at how candid the young girl was with Ron now and was proud that she'd been a part of Hannah becoming more outgoing and trusting.

"Okay, Hula Hannah," Ron said chuckling. "Remember to bring me back half of the cake, okay?"

"Right," Hannah giggled.

"HALF?" Jenny clapped her hand over her mouth. "Mister Ron you eat too much!"

"Nonsense," Ron said shaking his head. "Jenny, you can never eat too much when you're a Weasley."

"I won't keep them out late," Frankie promised giving Ron a hug.

"Sounds good," Ron smiled and waved goodbye.

They travelled by Floo to get to Jon and Allison's. Hannah gasped when she saw that Caroline's sitting room had been turned into a beach with real sand and even a paddling pool. Emma was currently digging in the sand with Max at her feet.

"Maxi, no!" Emma giggled.

"What's that silly dog of yours doing now?" Frankie teased her niece.

"Kicking sand in Em's face," Emma replied. "Bad Maxi!"

"Bad, bad Max," Frankie laughed as Emma ran to give her a hug.

"Frack pretty," Emma said grinning at her aunt. "Hi, Han!"

"Hi Em," Hannah said with a huge smile.

"Where's your mummy?" Frankie asked.

"Feeding Adam," Emma replied.

"I'm going to go see her," Frankie said. "You girls stay in here all right? And be careful near that pool."

"Daddy protecteded it," Emma called over her shoulder.

"Okay," Frankie laughed as she went into Adam's nursery. "Hi Allie."

Allison smiled at her sister. "Hi, Frankie. You look gorgeous as always."

"I try," Frankie joked. "You look great too Allie."

Allison rolled her eyes. "No, I don't, but you're a star for saying so. My oldest wants to have a beach party for her birthday so I get to play the whale."

"Oh stop it," Frankie said. "You're fishing for compliments."

Allison giggled. "Maybe a little..."

"So where's Jon?" Frankie kissed the top of Adam's head. "And Caroline?"

"Since I'm nursing Adam, he volunteered to help get Caroline ready for the party."

"That's nice of him," Frankie replied. "What can I do?"

"Chiaki's in the kitchen helping with the refreshments," Allison replied. "If you would help her, that'd be great."

"Sounds good," Frankie said. "Call me if you need me."

Chiaki was dancing around to the beat of the Hawaiian music that was playing on the Wireless as she finished putting some crisps into a bowl. She wore her black hair in a sleek ponytail and wore a pretty red tank top with a black sarong and strappy sandals.

"Go Chi!" Frankie teased from the doorway. "You've really got that hula down."

Chiaki laughed. "It's hard not to dance to this."

Frankie hugged her sister. "You look gorgeous."

"So do you," Chiaki said smiling at her sister's light purple sundress. "Can you believe it's almost winter and we're dressed in beach clothes?"

"I know," Frankie laughed. "What's left for us to do to set up?"

"Could you get that bowl of punch out of the icebox?" Chiaki asked.

"Sure," Frankie replied. "The sitting room looks fantastic. Hannah and Jenny came over with me and they're already in that little pool with Em."

"I know," Chiaki said. "Jon did a fabulous job setting it all up. You should have seen Caroline's face when she saw it."

"I bet she was thrilled," Frankie set the punch on the counter. "Where's Mas and Sukie?"

"Tosh is bringing them by later," Chiaki answered. "I was hoping---"

Her words trailed off as Hannah came into the room and gave Frankie a big hug.

"What's this for?" Frankie asked leaning down to put her arms around the little girl.

"For bringing me," Hannah replied shyly. "I'm having so much fun!"

Frankie beamed. "I'm glad, sweetheart. I know you've been looking forward to this all week."

The smile on Hannah's face was practically blinding as she hugged Frankie. Chiaki leaned against the counter. This was the first time she'd had the chance to see her sister with Hannah and even thought she'd heard from others how they were with each other, it was quite different to see it for herself.

"Hey Hannah," Frankie said. "You haven't met my other sister yet have you?"

Hannah shook her head and looked at the tall girl with dark hair standing by the counter.

"I'm Chiaki Hanari," Chiaki said kneeling down in front of Hannah. "I've heard so many great things about you, Hannah."

"Hi," Hannah said shyly.

"I have a little girl and a little boy who I'm sure are going to love you," Chiaki said. "They're twins."

"You have twins?" Hannah asked. "Like Mister Ron's son Josh has triplets?"

Chiaki nodded. "They're nearly a year old. My little girl is named Sukie and my little boy is Mas. They were named after my grandparents."

"Sukie's a pretty name," Hannah said. "Is she coming today?"

"She's coming later with her daddy," Chiaki replied. "You look really cute today, Hannah. Did Luna fix your hair?"

Hannah shook her head. "Frankie did." she looked adoringly at her.

Chiaki smiled at her sister. "Good job, Francesca."

"Thanks," Frankie smoothed down Hannah's plaits with a loving gesture.

Emma skipped into the kitchen and grabbed Hannah's hand. "Han come play with Em, peas?"

"Okay," Hannah replied. "Are you coming in soon?" she asked Frankie.

Frankie nodded. "I'm just going to help Chiaki finish setting up. You girls go and have fun."

"Kay Frack," Emma tugged harder on Hannah's fingers.

Hannah giggled as she followed Emma back into the sitting room.

Chiaki couldn't help staring at her sister.

"What?" Frankie asked uncomfortably. "What's wrong?"

"I just... you're so sweet with her," Chiaki replied. "I'm really proud of you Frankie."

Frankie blushed. "She...she makes it easy, Chiaki. I love that little girl so much."

Chiaki smiled at her sister. "It's fairly obvious she loves you too."

"You wouldn't believe the transformation that she's had over the past few weeks," Frankie said proudly. "She never spoke to anyone unless spoken to first. And she wouldn't speak to Uncle Ron or Will after all that happened with her father, but she's joking around with them and she gives them hugs and it's just...amazing, Chiaki. It really, really is."

"And you and Will are really going to adopt her?" Chiaki asked.

Frankie nodded. "We have everything we need to do so except for her father signing over his rights."

"I heard he's a real piece of work," Chiaki took some biscuits out of the cupboard and began arranging them on the plate.

"He makes your biological father seem like a saint," Frankie said without thinking. "I--I'm sorry..."

"It's okay," Chiaki replied. "You know, when I found out I was adopted I thought it was the end of the world. But really, it was the best thing to ever happen to me and I never even really knew it."

"Daddy never treated you any differently," Frankie said. "I remember when he told me that you were adopted by him and I didn't believe him at first because I thought he'd have treated you differently if you were. Silly now, I know, but..."

"Dad's really the greatest," Chiaki said with a grin.

"I just hope that Will and I can be to Hannah what Dad was to you, Chi," Frankie said softly.

"I'm sure you will be," Chiaki hugged her sister. "I know you don't like hearing it, but I always thought you'd be a wonderful parent."

Frankie beamed at her sister. "Really?"

"Definitely," Chiaki said. "I can't wait to be Hannah's aunt."

Frankie gave her sister another hug. "Thanks, Chiaki. I really needed to hear that."

"I'm sure you'll get to adopt her soon," Chiaki said. "And I'll help out whenever you need me."

"I'm going to need loads of help," Frankie said wiping at her eyes. "And I can't think of two better people to get advice from than you and Allie."

"That's the great thing about being sisters," Chiaki said. "We're always here for each other."

Frankie smiled. "No matter what."

Jon had just finished getting Caroline ready and he walked into the nursery to check on Allison and Adam. Allison was sitting in the rocking chair holding their son whose eyes were open wide.

"He doesn't want to sleep," Allison said softly as she saw her husband.

"He's too excited about missing the party," Jon joked. "Here let me take him."

Allison gingerly handed the baby off to Jon. "There you go, Adam. If anything can put you to sleep, it's your daddy."

"Is that a compliment?" Jon asked his wife.

Allison giggled. "Yes, work your magic, Jon."

Neither of them noticed Emma standing in the doorway watching the scene unfolding. She couldn't understand why her parents wouldn't leave Adam alone and come play.

"He's perfect, isn't he?" Jon asked with a grin as Adam stared up at him.

"Completely," Allison agreed.

"I could just stay and look at him for hours," Jon said softly.

"NO!" Emma said stomping her foot.

Allison spun around. "Em what are you doing up here?" she asked.

"Em want to show Frack new bear," Emma said dropping her teddy bear on the floor.

"Well then let's go show her your bear," Allison went to pick her youngest daughter up.

Emma shook her head. "Daddy too!"

"I will," Jon promised. "But I have to wait until Adam's asleep, baby."

Emma's lower lip trembled.

"Em," Allison said picking her up. "Don't cry..."

"Mummy and Daddy no love Em," the little redhead's eyes filled with tears.

"What?" Allison asked taken aback. "Emma, where would you get an idea like that? We love you very, very much."

"You spend all time with Adam," Emma said.

"Sweetheart, we have to pay him a little more attention since he's a baby," Allison explained gently. "But that doesn't mean we don't love you. I'm sorry if you've felt ignored, baby. You're our sweet girl, you know that, right?"

"Guess so," Emma felt only a little placated.

Allison hugged her tightly. "We love you, Em. And you've been such a great big sister to Adam. You remember how he smiled up at you when you sang to him this morning?"

Emma finally smiled. "Adam's cute."

"Emma Madeline!" Jon exclaimed. "You sang to your little brother? And I missed it?"

"Daddy I do it again," Emma promised.

Jon smiled at her. "You promise? Because I don't want to miss it again."

"Promise," Emma said.

"And might I add that you are one beyoootiful Hula girl, Em," Jon said as Emma did a little twirl in her grass skirt.

"She's definitely the prettiest three year old Hula girl here," Allison grinned.

Emma beamed at them. "Em go play with Han now."

"We'll be down in a few minutes all right baby?" Jon asked.

Emma nodded. "Kay."

Jon looked at his wife. "I thought she was over the jealousy by now."

"I thought so too, but we'll have to make sure we don't leave her or Caroline out," Allison said thoughtfully. "Emma's used to being the baby."

"It'll be okay," Jon leaned over and gave her a kiss. "Why don't you go down and see what everyone's up to? I'll make sure Adam Jonathan gets to sleep."

"Okay," she said giving her son a kiss on the forehead.

Jon grinned down at Adam. "All right you... time for one monster of a kip." he pressed his lips to his son's soft head. He'd been worried about having three children but now with his promotion at the pub and Allison working at her mother’s studio, they were finally making more than enough money to support their family.

He took the baby monitor and hooked it on his shorts pocket before heading downstairs to join the party. Katie and Ashley had arrived with Julie and Nick as had Mia with Claire and Jack. Toshio was trying to keep control of the twins who were having a grand time in the sand.

"How's my birthday girl?" he swooped Caroline up into his arms.

"Hungry," Caroline giggled throwing her arms around her father. "Thank you for my party, Daddy."

"Anytime princess," Jon grinned. "I can't believe you're seven!"

"Four more years and I'll be at Hogwarts," Caroline said smiling at him. "Can you believe it?"

"I don't know if I'm going to let you go," Jon said, only half in jest.

"You have four years to get ready for it," Caroline said softly.

Jon kissed her cheek. "I'll try to be ready. But for now... how about I go and get something for my girl to eat?"

"Yes, please," Caroline said as he set her back down.

"And for Em, of course," Jon winked at her.

Caroline giggled and went off to join her friends.

Darla and Hans were sipping punch and watching the children play. Darla grinned at her boyfriend. "Thank you for coming with me today. I know it's just a kids' party, but I am really happy you came with, Hans."

"It's no industry do," Hans teased her. "But since I'm here with you..."

Darla laughed. "Joke all you want, but it does mean a lot to me that you came. You know how much my family means to me."

"I do," Hans kissed the side of her neck.

Maddie tapped her sister on the shoulder. "Do you really think you guys should be doing that at a kids' party?"

"And that wasn't you and Ethan in the corner putting on a show?" Darla teased her.

"She had something in her eye," Ethan said defensively. "I was helping get it out."

"A likely story," Hans joked.

"We should behave in front of the children and Ethan," Darla said teasing her brother-in-law.

"Hey!" Ethan said good naturedly. "What about your pesky little brother over there?"

"Junior graces us with his presence?" Darla asked looking around the room.

"Amazing but true," Maddie deadpanned. "The famous Quidditch star finds time to spend with his niece on her birthday."

"He certainly looks in the party mood," Hans said dryly. He was just sitting there on the sofa staring into space.

"Well you saw all that stuff in the papers right?" Maddie asked. "He was snogging that Serena Starr- I'm sure Alexa's read him the riot act."

"Not to mention I'm sure my baby sister has sent him countless Howlers," Ethan said dryly.

Darla had never seen her brother acting like this and her heart went out to him. She excused herself to go and check on him.

"Hey, little brother," Darla said sitting down.

RJ jumped. "Hey Dar."

"I would ask how you were doing, but it seems obvious," Darla said sympathetically.

"Yeah," RJ replied. "I've made a real mess of my life."

"RJ," Darla said softly.

"If I tell you something you won't say anything, will you?" he asked quietly.

Darla nodded. "What is it?"

RJ looked around for a moment. "I might have gotten Lexie pregnant," he said, almost inaudibly.

"WHAT?" Darla asked much louder than she'd meant to.

RJ exhaled sharply. "Thanks a lot," he glared at his sister.

"Sorry," she whispered. "It's just...I didn't know you and Alexa were doing that, RJ."

"Well we are," he said irritably. "Or were, at least. She's pretty pissed at me right now."

"It does take two to do that," Darla said. "She has to take responsibility for it too."

"Well it's not only that," he said sourly. "I made a huge mistake with Serena Starr."

"I think we all saw that in the Prophet," Darla said quietly. "Why on earth were you snogging her, RJ?"

"I was pissed," RJ said. "Completely drunk and it just sort of happened."

"Snogging was all that happened, right?" Darla asked.

"Yes," RJ said sharply.

Darla sighed in relief. "And ...have you heard from Alexa since the papers came out?"

RJ shook his head. "Saffron sent me a really nasty letter, of course. She always has to stick her nose in where it doesn't belong."

"She's looking out for her best friend," Darla said thoughtfully. "Junior, you should really, really talk to Alexa about this. Explain to her that you were freaked out about what happened between the two of you and that you got pissed, but it was a mistake..."

"I've tried," RJ got up. "She won't write back."

"When's the next Hogsmeade weekend?" Darla asked.

"She'll be home for Christmas hols before the next Hogsmeade weekend," RJ replied.

"Well," Darla said smiling reassuringly at him. "You know what you should do then, right?"

"I guess," he said. "If she'll talk to me."

"She will," Darla said giving him a hug. "You'll work this out."

Emma walked over to her uncle and put her hands on her hips. "Sad, RJ?"

RJ had to smile at the little redhead. "Nah," he said. "Not with you here Em."

"Mummy and Daddy still love you even with Adam," Emma said climbing onto his lap.

"I'm sure they do," RJ pinched her chubby cheeks.

"How do you like being a big sister?" Darla asked her niece.

"Adam makes faces," Emma said. "And I sing to him!"

"Your Aunt Darla used to do that to me and I'd cry," RJ said earning himself a punch in the arm from his sister.

"You were a baby," Darla pointed out. "How would you remember that?"

"It's hard to forget the source of your nightmares," RJ joked.

"I have a wonderful voice," Darla said indignantly. "And for your information, you smiled whenever Drew or I sang to you. That was, of course, when Maddie would let us near you."

"Mad loves you," Emma told him.

"Mad looked out for me," RJ said nodding.

"Em will look out for Adam," Emma nodded.

"Like a good big sister," RJ said smiling at her.

"Where Lexie?" Emma asked looking around the room. "She come with Saf?"

"Uh... no." RJ said. "Lexie and Saf are at school."

"Em like Lexie and Saf," Emma said smiling at her uncle.

"I bet," RJ said, his smile dropping a bit.

"Tell your uncle that everything will work out okay," Darla told Emma. "He doesn't believe me."

"It be okay," Emma reached up and patted his cheeks. "Everyone loves RJ!"

RJ smiled at his niece. It had been a good idea to come here and deal with people who would love him no matter what.

"Come on, Em," RJ said standing up with her in his arms. "Let's go and get something to eat."

Will had arrived at the party a little late since he'd had an important meeting. The moment he walked into the party, he made a beeline for his wife who was soaking her legs in the paddling pool with Hannah.

"You started without me," Will said giving Frankie a kiss.

"Hey you," Frankie smiled at him. "Sorry, it just looked too inviting to wait."

"Hi, Will," Hannah said softly.

"Hey Hannah," Will tugged gently on one of her plaits. "Love the skirt."

"I like your shirt," Hannah said smiling at him. "It's really bright though!"

"Good," Will grinned at her. "I'll light up a room!"

Hannah giggled.

Frankie looked across the room where Caroline was talking with one of the boys from her class. That had to explain why she wasn't making a beeline for Will.

"Don't look now, but I think you have competition, Will," Frankie whispered in his ear.

Will chuckled. "My heart's been broken."

Frankie shook her head. "I don't know how you'll carry on."

"It's going to be tough," Will clutched his heart. "Frankie, what will I do?"

"Live happily ever after with me?" Frankie suggested. "And Hannah?"

"How about it Hannah?" Will asked. "Want to help me get over Caroline's betrayal?"

Hannah nodded solemnly.

"I think I should find out more about my competition," Will said motioning for Allison to come over to them.

"Hey, Allie? Who is that kid who has Caroline so captivated?"

Allison looked over and grinned. "That would be Michael Kinski. Caroline's got a little bit of a crush on him. I promised her I wouldn't tell you that you've been replaced."

Will laughed. "It was only a matter of time before she dropped me for someone younger and shorter."

"Because you're so old," Frankie deadpanned.

"I prefer decrepit," Will said dryly. Frankie hit him on the arm when she saw Caroline and Michael walking past them.

"And my daddy has this really nice racing broom," Caroline was telling him. "I've been up on it once or twice."

"Wow," Michael replied. "Your dad is pretty cool Caroline..."

Caroline blushed. "And my mummy played Quidditch at Hogwarts. She was really, really good."

"Quidditch is my favourite sport in the world," he said. "And I can't believe your uncle is RJ Weasley!"

"Do you want to meet him?" Caroline asked tugging nervously on one of her plaits.

"Hi, Caroline," Will said waving at his niece who didn't seem to hear him as she followed Michael over to where RJ was sitting.

Frankie put a hand over her mouth to stifle her laughter.

"That'd be awesome!" Michael grinned at her, making Caroline blush.

"Great to see you too, Caroline," Will said as Caroline took Michael's hand.

"Awwww..." Frankie had to hide her giggles.

"She has it bad," Allison said smiling after her daughter. "Jon's not too happy about it, but I said it was harmless fun."

"Of course it is," Frankie assured her. "Caroline's only seven."

"Going on 16," Jon said as he joined them. "Who is that kid? Do we know anything about him?"

Allison shook her head. "Jon don't start getting like my father."

"I'm not," Jon said defensively. "I just like to know who that kid is..."

"Michael Kinski," Allison explained for what seemed like the hundredth time that evening. "He's in Caroline's class, he loves Quidditch and he thinks that you're pretty cool."

"Oh," Jon replied. "Well then I suppose he's all right..."

Frankie laughed. "I imagine Will’s going to be the same way when you start to date, Hannah."

Hannah blushed. "I don't like boys like that."

"Music to my ears," Will said smiling at her.

Hannah smiled shyly at him.

In the kitchen, Julie was talking to Chiaki about what had happened at Hogwarts that week.

"He's really done such an amazing job, Chi," Julie gushed. "And he has so many wonderful ideas about what he wants to do for Hogwarts."

"Sounds like Hogwarts is getting all revamped." Chiaki replied.

"He's not going to change it completely," Julie said in his defence. "Oliver has this really great idea for a mentor program for former students to come to the school and help some of the fifth, sixth and seventh years with career planning."

Chiaki nodded. "Sometimes, I wish we had something like that. If I didn't have dancing, I don't know what I would have done."

"I know," Julie said. "Which is why, I was going to ask if you might be interested in having a talk with some of the students."

"You want me to come?" Chiaki was flattered. "Really Jules?"

Julie nodded. "Chiaki, you were a successful dancer. And now you're teaching. Oliver and I were talking about it and we'd love for you to come."

"I'd love to!" Chiaki said eagerly.

"Fantastic," Julie grinned at her best friend. "Oliver wants to have the first meetings right after Christmas hols."

"I'll make sure my schedule is cleared," Chiaki nodded.

"I've also spoken to my mum and dad and Luna, of course," Julie explained. "And I was going to see if Josh would do it, too."

"He's never been able to turn you down," Chiaki teased.

"Stop," Julie said playfully.

"It's true!" Chiaki said laughing.

"This year really has been wonderful so far," Julie said.

"I bet Oliver Wood's quite popular with the ladies." Chiaki replied.

"You wouldn't believe the number of girls who have tried to get detention," Julie said rolling her eyes. "Even girls you wouldn't think would normally behave that way. And before you ask, no, Saffron isn't one of them."

"Of course not," Chiaki grinned. "She's got Andrew."

"My little sister has it bad," Julie agreed.

Toshio came into the kitchen with Sukie who held her arms out to her mother.

"Ma!" she cried out.

"Hello my baby," Chiaki crooned. "How's my girl?"

"Not wanting any part of her daddy," Toshio said handing the baby off to his wife. "Your dad is busy helping Mas build a castle."

"How sweet," Chiaki kissed Sukie's forehead. "These two just love the sand."

"They're both getting so big," Julie said making a goofy face at Sukie.

"Too big," Chiaki said wistfully. "Part of me wishes they could stay like this forever."

"You'll love watching them grow up," Julie said softly.

"I love everything about being a mother," Chiaki said. "I'm so glad Frankie's finally realised how great it is too."

"It's really amazing to watch her with Hannah," Julie said.

"Could that kid be any sweeter?" Toshio got himself something to drink. "She really loves Frankie too."

"I just hope everything works out for them," Chiaki said as Sukie rested her head on Chiaki's shoulder.

"I'm sure it will," Julie replied.

"Katie and Ashley seem to be getting along," Toshio commented. "Has the world come to an end?"

"Shhhh," Julie smiled. "They haven't fought in a week."

Toshio chuckled. "Sorry, you're right. We don't want to jinx it."

"Exactly," Julie said. "Plus Katie's been busy working on her reading. Nick and I are really proud of her."

"That's great," Chiaki said smiling at her best friend. She knew how hard this had been on Julie.

"It hasn't been easy but at least she's trying," Julie said. "That's really all we can ask of her."

"Aunt Julie, we're going to open my presents now," Caroline said coming into the kitchen with Katie and Mia.

"Wait until you see what I got you," Katie said grinning at her best friend.

"I can't wait," Caroline giggled. "You always give the best gifts. You and Mia."

"And Mich-ael," Katie said in a sing-song voice. "He's your boy-friend."

Caroline blushed. "No, he's not!"

"You were holding his hand," Katie teased.

"I wasn't," Caroline said in a quiet voice.

"Yes, you were," Mia agreed. "You held his hand when you took him over to meet your uncle."

"But it was just to meet him," Caroline protested, her face red. "He's not my boyfriend."

"You're too young for a boyfriend," Julie said putting her arm around the birthday girl. "There'll be enough time for that and besides, who says you can't have a friend that's a boy, right?"

"Right Aunt Julie," Caroline gave her a grateful smile.

"So, how about we all go and watch you open your presents?" Julie asked.

Caroline nodded eagerly.

Caroline sat down on the sand and she blushed as everyone gathered around her.

"This one is from Daddy, Emma, Adam and me," Allison said handing Caroline a box.

"Thank you Mummy," Caroline said, eagerly ripping into the box.

Caroline's eyes grew large. "MY OWN WIRELESS!"

Jon laughed. "Just for you angel."

"Thank you so much, Daddy!" Caroline squealed.

Emma handed her sister a rolled up piece of paper. "For Sissy. Em made."

"You made this for me Em?" Caroline unrolled it. "Oooooh!" it was a portrait that Ashley had helped Emma draw from scratch of her big sister.

Emma beamed at her sister. "Ash helped."

"It's beautiful," Caroline said happily. "Thank you Em. I love it soooo much!"

"Yay!" Emma said clapping her hands together before sitting back down beside Hannah.

"This is from Frankie, Will and Hannah," Jon said handing his daughter another present.

"Thank you," Caroline called to her aunt and uncle. "And thank you Hannah." she smiled at the brunette who had joined their circle.

Hannah leaned against Frankie as she watched Caroline unwrap the present. She hoped that Caroline would like what they'd picked out.

"Oooh!" Caroline squealed as she looked at the dress. "This is so pretty!"

"She likes it," Hannah whispered to Frankie.

"She does," Frankie agreed, squeezing the little girl's shoulders. "You did a good job."

"Thanks, Mummy," Hannah said.

Frankie hugged her and kissed the side of her head. "You're welcome baby," she whispered.

Allison handed Caroline another present. This one was from Saffron and Alexa who had sent her a basket of sweets from Honeyduke's.

"This is soooo cool," Caroline said handing the basket to her father. "Don't eat any, Daddy!"

"I wouldn't do that!" Jon grinned at his daughter.

"Mister Ron would," Jenny said giggling.

"My grandpa eats everything," Caroline grinned at her.

"Keep that away from Maddie too," Ethan said putting his arms around his wife.

Maddie's only answer was to elbow him in the side, making everyone laugh.

"Okay," Jon said. "Leaving Mad Dog out of this...the next present is from the Malfoy family...."

"Yay," Caroline accepted it happily.

The box contained a framed sketch of Max from Ashley, a gift slip to a top shop in Diagon Alley from Nick and Julie and a pretty necklace from Katie that had half a heart. Caroline held it up.

"I have the other half," Katie told her. "They're best friend necklaces!"

"Wow!!!" Caroline exclaimed. "Mummy can you help me put it on now?"

"Sure," Allison said taking the necklace and clasping it around Caroline's neck.

"Perfect," Katie lifted her own brown bushy hair to reveal her half.

"Thank you, Aunt Julie & Uncle Nick," Caroline said giving them each a hug. "And that picture looks just like Max, Ashley!"

"I'm glad you like it Caroline," Ashley replied. "I worked really hard on it."

"And here's one from Michael," Allison said winking at her daughter as she handed her the package.

Caroline blushed. "Thank you," she said shyly as Katie giggled.

It was a Disney movie that Caroline already had, but she didn't want to hurt Michael's feelings. "This is my favourite! I've wanted this one practically forever. Thank you, Michael!"

"I'm glad you like it," Michael blushed as well. "You sort of look like the princess in it..."

"You really think so?" Caroline asked gazing adoringly at him.

"Yeah," he grinned back at her.

"Maybe you could come over sometime and watch it," Caroline said shyly.

"Next present," Jon said hastily. "Here's one from Mia..."

Allison hit her husband on the shoulder as Caroline tore into the next gift.

"Mia!" Caroline exclaimed, pulling a pretty bracelet out of the box. "I think you and Katie had the same idea." she giggled.

Katie frowned, but didn't say anything.

"Do you like it?" Mia asked hopefully.

"I love it," Caroline answered. "I'll wear it all the time, just like this necklace."

Mia grinned. "Happy Birthday, Caroline!"

"Thank you," Caroline fastened the bracelet.

"And what do you say to everyone for coming to your party?" Jon asked his daughter.

"THANK YOU EVERYBODY!" Caroline called out.

Allison laughed. "You're very welcome, Angel."

Jon heard the sound of a baby crying from the monitor in his pocket.

"I'll go," Cho offered eagerly.

"You sure?" Jon asked. "Thanks Cho."

"She was dying to go and see him," Neville chuckled.

"He's so funny," Jon grinned. "And Em told me she sang to him this morning."

"What did you sing to him?" Neville asked his granddaughter.

"Twinkle, twinkle, little star," Emma sang the first few notes. "And he does this when he hears it..." She mimicked the way Adam would smack his lips.

Jon and Neville both laughed. "I think it's very sweet of you to sing to him baby," Jon picked her up. "You're a great big sister, you know that?"

"Great like Sissy?" Emma asked smiling hopefully at him.

"That's right," Neville grinned at her. "You're the best Em, just like Sissy."

Emma leaned forward and kissed her grandfather on the cheek. "Love Gampa."

"And I love my Emma Madeline," Neville pinched her nose.

In the nursery, Cho gingerly lifted Adam out of his crib. "There, there," she said soothingly. "Grandma's here, Adam."

Adam stifled his sobs and waved his little hand around.

Cho smiled down at him. "You hate missing the party..."

Hannah had been on her way back to the party from the bathroom when she heard voices coming from the nursery. Although she knew she shouldn't, she couldn't help watching Frankie's mother with the baby. She'd never had grandparents.

"Hello, Hannah," Cho said softly.

Hannah blushed. "I'm...I'm sorry...I'll go."

Cho shook her head. "Come on inside."

Hannah tentatively stepped inside the nursery.

"Would you like to hold him?" Cho asked.

"I can hold him?" Hannah asked her eyes wide. "Really?"

Cho nodded. "Why don't you sit down in the rocking chair, first...?”

Hannah nodded and climbed into the chair quickly.

"Alright," Cho said softly. "Just remember to support his head..."

"Okay," Hannah said, cradling him gently. Adam stopped fussing and gazed up at her.

"I think he likes you," Cho said kneeling down beside them. "Which is good since he's going to be your cousin."

Hannah smiled. "And you'll get to be my grandma."

"I sure will," Cho said smiling back at her. "Neville and I can't wait."

"Really?" Hannah asked shyly. "I never had a grandma or grandpa before."

"Well," Cho said conspiratorially. "We're going to spoil you rotten."

Hannah giggled. "Sometimes I call Frankie my mummy by accident. At first I thought she would get mad but she didn't."

"She wants to be your mummy so much," Cho said thinking of the way Frankie's face would light up when Hannah was in the room or when she spoke about things she did with the little girl. She'd never seen her youngest daughter act that way.

"I love Frankie," Hannah whispered.

"She loves you too," Cho said fondly. "We all do, Hannah."

Hannah blushed and looked down at the baby in her arms.

"Caroline and Emma can't stop talking about you," Cho told her. "And Adam seems quite taken with his future cousin, too."

"I get to be Em's best friend," Hannah said. "She told me so."

Cho smiled. "Emma told me too."

Frankie had gone upstairs to see what was taking Hannah so long in the loo and was watching the scene in front of her from the doorway. "Are you having fun in here?" she asked with a smile.

"Your mummy let me hold Adam," Hannah said softly, careful to keep her voice down so Adam wouldn't cry.

"Looks to me like you're doing a great job," Frankie said.

"He loves her," Cho said smiling at her granddaughter-to-be.

"He's sure not the only one," Frankie grinned. "Caroline's finished with her presents and they're going to cut the cake. And a little bird told me that it's chocolate cake with strawberry filling..."

"That's my favourite!" Hannah said excitedly.

"It's Caroline's too," Frankie said, sharing a look with her mother.

"How about I take Adam and all three of us go downstairs to have some cake?" Cho asked Hannah.

"Okay," Hannah agreed happily.

Cho took Adam back from Hannah. "What do you say, little buddy? You want to go and get some cake, Adam?"

Adam cooed up at her, making the three of them laugh. "I think that's a yes, Mum." Frankie said. "He is a Weasley, after all."

"He might give Emma a run for her money in the eating department," Cho said with a laugh.

Frankie took Hannah's hand. "Are you liking the party, sweetheart?"

"I'm having soooo much fun," Hannah said.

Frankie laughed. "Me too, Hannah."

"I'm really glad to be here with you too," Hannah said shyly.

"You're a part of our family," Frankie said softly. "And you always will be. You belong here, Hannah."

"I love you," Hannah stopped and gave her a hug. "I really, really, really wish I could stay with you all the time."

Frankie picked her up and held the little girl close. "It won't be much longer, Hannah. I promise."

"I think about it all the time," Hannah confessed. "And I always wish for it."

"Me too," Frankie admitted.

Will met them at the base of the stairs as Cho carried Adam into the kitchen where everyone was gathered. "Everything all right?" he smiled at them.

Hannah nodded. "I got to hold Adam!"

"You did?" Will asked. "I bet you did a great job too."

"Cho said I was a natural," Hannah grinned.

"I bet you are," Will tweaked her nose.

"Come on, Han!" Emma called out. "Cake!"

"Coming!" Hannah called, running ahead and leaving Will and Frankie alone.

"Everything okay?" Will asked his wife. "Really?"

"Yeah," Frankie said with a smile.

Will put his arms around her. "Mrs. Roman sent me an owl at work."

Week 2: Frankie and Will

Amynoelle: I really do think they belong together. And I know you feel differently....

Heaven: Well yes... but we can see how things go. What if they get along better at some point again? Right now I think those two really belong.

Amynoelle: That's true. But what if we...wait a minute...there's a blinking light...is this thing on?

Heaven *laughs* I think it is. Frankie? Will? You guys there?"

Will: Hiya, girls. It's just me right now. Frankie's watching a movie with Hannah. She'll be along right after it finishes, which should be soon.

Heaven: Hannah's so cute. How's the adoption process going? Any luck yet with her deadbeat dad?

Will: Hannah is adorable, isn't she? Well, it's really frustrating for Frankie and me having to deal with someone like him. And it's hard to sit there and listen to the things he says and not want to throttle him.

Heaven: No kidding. Amy and I hate him too.

Will: He is pretty bad. Ah, here's my lovely wife. How was the film?

Frankie: It was great- Hannah just loves Beauty and the Beast. Hi everyone!

Amynoelle: Hi, Frankie! How are you doing this evening?

Frankie: Great, thanks. It's really exciting to be here talking to everyone!

Amynoelle: Well, we have some questions for you. Do you mind if we get started?

Frankie: Fine with me. Will?

Will: Absolutely.

Amynoelle: Great...this first question goes back to your Hogwarts days. You two didn't date while you were at school, right?

Frankie: Unfortunately not. We knew of each other, but we never went out.

Will: I was too scared of her then and she was too busy being boy-crazy.

Heaven: You were scared of her?

Will: Well, Frankie is absolutely beautiful. Always has been. And she had this air about her when we were at school that kind of intimidated me. I fancied her, of course, but was too much of a chicken to do anything about it. That's the reason why that Hat put me in Ravenclaw and not Gryffindor.

Heaven: Awwww... you're so sweet Will.

Will: *Blushes* Thanks. I try...

Amynoelle: And now we're going to get personal, Mrs. Barron....Why are you so afraid of everything? Did something happen to you in the past? I mean, first she wouldn’t say 'I love you' to Will, then you wouldn't get married, after that all the problems with kids. Why are you so afraid?

Frankie: It really wasn't that I was afraid; it was more or less that I was a bit of a commitment phobe. I guess in that sense, yes I was scared. At that point I couldn't see myself settling down, having kids, and doing the same thing with my life.

Amynoelle: Did seeing your older sister Allison get married so young have anything to do with that?

Frankie: A little... I couldn't believe it when she came back to school and told me she was a married woman.

Amynoelle: And you helped save the day. We were so proud of you!

Frankie: Yes well... I was glad to help. Allie and Chiaki were finally treating me like a sister instead of a brat.

Will: I heard about some of the things you did when you were little, Frankie. You were a bit of a brat.

Frankie: Shut up Will. I turned out okay in the end.

Heaven: You both did. Will, now we have a question for you. What was it like walking away (in which could have been forever) from Frankie after the Christmas Day proposal fiasco??

Will: You guys really are getting personal. Well, it was one of the hardest things I'd ever done. I loved her so much and wanted to spend the rest of my life with her and she didn't seem to want those things. Or didn't want to admit that she wanted those things. I'm just glad that she came to her senses.

Frankie: I certainly did.

Amynoelle: We all remember the pregnancy scare from awhile back with you two. Will was happy about the possibility while you were scared to death, Frankie. : Do you think you would have decided to have kids by now, had Hannah not come into your life?

Frankie: I'm really not sure... The possibility of being responsible for another human life scared me, but with Hannah, it's all just happened so naturally.

Will: It really has been wonderful to watch. Seeing her with Hannah....it just....I don't even know if I could put it into words.

Frankie: She's such a beautiful, sweet and loving little girl. I can't imagine what life has been like for her so far, but if we're given the opportunity, I'm going to change that. WE'RE going to change that.

Heaven: I think that's awesome, you guys. Will, you've seen your wife's transformation from a motherhood-phobic to giving Hannah the mother she'd lost. What are your views on it? Are you as close to Hannah as Frankie is? If you had your own children later would you be able to handle the situation without getting biased.

Will: I've always known Frankie would be a great mum. I have seen her with our nieces and nephews and she's great with them. And I know it's different when it's your own child, but I always knew she'd be a great parent and that we'd learn about it together. And Hannah has really been this special gift for both of us. It's tough for Hannah to get close to me given what happened with her father, but I think we're making headway. I love Hannah as if she was mine biologically. I would never make any distinction

Heaven: I'm taking a cue from Amy. Awwww!

Amynoelle: That is my favourite word.

Hannah: Mummy, I was---who are you talking to?

Frankie: Hi sweetheart. What brings you in here? Will and I are just doing an interview.

Hannah: I was going to start drawing something for your office. Is it okay? We have enough time right before I have to go back to Luna's?

Frankie: Go right ahead. I can't wait to see what you draw for me today.

Hannah: Okay. I'll be really careful not to make a mess.

Will: Sweetheart, its okay if you do.

Hannah: It is?

Frankie: Sure. We can clean it up, okay?

Hannah: Okay...Come help me when you're done, okay?

Frankie: We'll be in soon.

Heaven: She is so, so, so, SO sweet!

Amynoelle: She is! Frankie, you're having some trouble with her biological father right now. How far would you go to make her your daughter?

Frankie: As far as I had to go. I won't let anyone else hurt her. I want to give her the best life possible.

Heaven: A question for Will: How do you feel knowing that Hannah isn't your biological child and that Frankie is willing to be her mother, but not to have your own children? Are you disappointed? Or are you ok with it?

Will: I would never make Frankie do something she wasn't ready for. And being a mother wasn't something she wanted at that time. And I honestly don't want to make a distinction between biology and adoption...when we get Hannah, and we will get her, she will be OUR daughter.

Amynoelle: Awwww! Sorry, I had to say it! If you ever do get to adopt Hannah, would you still want to have children of your own? And if you don't get to adopt her would you be ready to have your own kids now?

Frankie: Again, I'm not sure. Right now I'm just taking things one step at a time.

Heaven: That's understandable. This is a big step for you. And you're lucky to have Will who supports you like this.

Will: We support each other and we hope to do the same for Hannah.

Amynoelle: Frankie, you've had some experience growing up in a family where one of your sisters was adopted by your father. How do you feel when you found out about Chiaki's parentage?

Frankie: I didn't believe my parents at first. This probably sounds awful, but I thought if my dad wasn't really Chiaki's, he would have treated her differently. I was so young when I found out, but now, especially now, I see why he loves her as much as he does Allie and me.

Will: And Neville is her dad, in every sense of the word.

Heaven: Definitely! I remember when Chiaki was born. He could hardly stay away from her and Cho.

Now Will, when did you realise that you were in love with Frankie? And after you broke up with her because she didn't want to get married to you, did you think that it was really over between you two?! Can you pinpoint the exact moment you realised you were in love with her?

Will: The weekend she called me while she was babysitting Emma and Caroline. We were at the park and I just looked at her and I knew.

Heaven: This is turning into an awwww worthy interview.

Amynoelle: Yes it is and I think we could ask Frankie that same question.

Frankie: I'd have to think about that one. I think I loved him for a long time before I realised it. And you all know that was when he asked me to marry him and I said no. Merlin, I can't BELIEVE I said no. I was shite for doing that.

Amynoelle: You really were...

Heaven: Amy!

Amynoelle: She was!

Heaven: We're not supposed to rub it in her face... she's made up for it since then!

Amynoelle: Yes she has and I think out of everyone in this universe, she really has grown the most.

Will: You guys are embarrassing her. You should see how red she is right now.

Frankie: Will!!!

Will: You are, Frankie!

Amynoelle: And I really do want to give you a pat on the back for not being friends with that horrid Alicia anymore.

Frankie: Thankfully, we haven't seen her in a long while. Maybe she went into hiding- in a place where people are so ugly they can't show their face in society.

Heaven: That sounds like something Saffron would say.

Frankie: I see so much of myself in her.

Will: Maybe I should warn young Andrew then.

Frankie: You'll do nothing of the sort, William.

Hannah: Mummy, I finished my picture!

Frankie: I'll be right back you guys.

Amynoelle: Tell her we said hi!

Will: I have a feeling she'd like you two.

Heaven: Of course she would. We're so likeable.

Will: With a flair for the dramatic...

Amynoelle: We're not that bad.

Will: Yeah right... *laughs*

Amynoelle: Moving on...do you ever feel left out with Frankie and Hannah? We mentioned before that she does seem closer to Frankie at this point.

Will: I think she is closer to Frankie right now, and I understand that completely. The man who was supposed to care for her and loved her hurt her instead. So I'm just going to have to take my time with Hannah.

Amynoelle: You really are doing a fantastic job, if I do say so myself. Heaven and I both think you guys make great parents.

Will: Thanks, thanks a lot. It's good to know other people have confidence in us.

Frankie (Comes back into the room with Hannah): I hope you guys don't mind. But someone wanted to say hello. Sweetheart, can you tell everyone what you made for me?

Hannah: Um... I don't know..."

Will: its okay, Hannah. They're both really nice girls.

Amynoelle: Hi, Hannah!

Heaven: Hey Hannah... we've heard loads about you!

Hannah (whispers): Mummy, they talk kind of funny.

Frankie: *laughs* they’re from America, sweetheart.

Hannah: Mister Ron calls them Yanks, right?

Will: *laughs*

Amynoelle: That's us. And we don't have any more reader questions. Many of the questions were duplicates. But everyone is really pulling for you guys.

Hannah: Pulling? What does that mean, Frankie?

Frankie: It means that they hope that we get to be a family, sweetheart.

Hannah: Oh... I really hope so too. I keep wishing at night when I go to bed.

Will: We do too, Hannah. We do too.

Amynoelle: We want to thank the three of you for taking the time to answer our questions. It's been fun.

Frankie: We'd love to do it again sometime. Hopefully by then, it'll be three Barrons.

Amynoelle: We hope so too. You three have a good night. Heaven and I have to decide who we're going to interview next.

Will: Have fun!

Heaven: We will. Thanks again you guys!

141. 141

Thanks again you guys for a great response on the chapter. Don’t forget to send in your questions for Harry and Hermione as they are the pair being interviewed for Saturday’s update!

Lots of Frankie, Will, and Hannah this time around, and also RJ faces up to Alexa FINALLY! R/R!!!

Frankie spun around. "What did she say? Why didn't you tell me before?"

Will pulled her into the now empty sitting room. "Because I'm not sure you'll like it and I didn't want to say anything in front of Hannah."

Frankie's eyebrows creased together and her heart sank. "Will..."

"David wants to see Hannah," Will told her quietly. "He said he'll sign the papers but he wants to say a proper goodbye to his daughter."

"Absolutely not!" Frankie said, enraged. "He doesn't want to say goodbye, he just wants to terrorize her!"

Will nodded. "Now you see why I didn't tell you before?"

"I guess," Frankie's shoulders drooped. "How can we make her do that Will? She's finally stopped having nightmares and we've already promised her she never has to see him again!"

"He's playing with us," Will said bitterly.

"And we're falling right into his hands," Frankie's tone was equally bitter. "Because he knows we'd do anything to get her."

"I was thinking you and I should go to see him again," Will said as he caught sight of Hannah in the kitchen, laughing at something Emma had said.

"I don't think he'll listen to reason," Frankie said. "But I'll do anything if it means Hannah doesn't have to see him again."

"Me too," Will said giving his wife a hug. "I know you're sick of waiting, Frankie. I am, too."

"I just can't stop thinking about her," Frankie wrapped her arms around him. "I want her to be our daughter so badly."

"I'll see what Mrs. Roman can do about getting us in to see him," Will said stroking her hair.

"Okay," Frankie buried her face in his chest.

"Frankie!" Hannah called out. "Will!"

Frankie headed into the kitchen, Will on her heels. "Hey you," she forced a smile onto her face.

"Caroline's about to blow out her candles!" Hannah exclaimed. "See?"

"Wouldn't want to miss this," Will said, lifting her up so she could watch.

Everyone sang Happy Birthday as Caroline watched in delight.

"Blow out the candles, Angel!" Allison said grinning at her daughter.

Caroline closed her eyes to make her wish and then in one breath, blew out all seven candles on her cake.

"Did you make a wish?" Allison asked.

Caroline nodded and blushed a bit. "But I can't tell what it is."

"Or it won't come true," Katie said grinning at her best friend. "Right?"

"Right," Caroline agreed.

"Save cake for Gampa Ron!" Emma squealed. "Big piece!"

"He wants me and Hannah to bring back half," Jenny giggled.

"He doesn't need half," Luna giggled. "We'll bring him back one slice of cake and that's it."

"I think he'll like that," Hannah's face was smeared with chocolate and strawberry.

Frankie picked up a napkin and wiped at Hannah's face.

"I'm sorry Mummy," Hannah said automatically.

"No need to apologise," Frankie said. "When I was little, I think I wore most of the food I tried to eat anyway. It's what kids do."

"It's just really yummy," Hannah giggled.

"I know," Frankie laughed.

"Want some of mine?" Hannah asked.

"Peas?" Frankie said with a grin.

"Frack have cake," Emma replied. She was wearing more of it than she was eating.

"It's all on your face!" Mia giggled. "Em!"

Emma giggled too. "Em's messy!"

"Don't get any of it on me," Jon said backing away from Emma who had a glint in her eye.

"Daddy," Emma laughed. "Come eat cake!"

Jon shook his head. "Eat, not wear."

"Daddy can Adam have cake?" Emma asked, holding up her mashed piece.

"Em, he doesn't even have teeth!" Caroline giggled.

"Oh," Emma said thoughtfully.

"Could you imagine cleaning this place up without magic?" Jon asked his wife.

Allison shivered. "Don't want to."

"You look beautiful tonight," Jon said putting his arms around her.

"I don't feel beautiful," Allison said. "But thanks for saying it."

"You are," Jon said smiling at her.

Allison gave him a quick kiss. "I love you," she whispered.

"I love you too," Jon said softly. "Our little girl is seven...can you believe it?"

"No," Allison shook her head as Caroline dug into her second piece of cake. "And Em's going to be three in a few months..."

"Seems like just yesterday we were at your seventh birthday," Jon said tickling her side.

"Oh please," Allison laughed. "Like you really remember THAT!"

"I do," Jon said defensively. "Mum and dad drug us to every single one of your parties."

Allison laughed. "It was a makeup party!"

"Josh and I were the only boys there," Jon remembered.

"And we made you wear lipstick," Allison recalled. "You were in such a strop with me over that."

Jon's cheeks turned red. "Why did you do that to me?"

"Because you put up such a fight," Allison grinned at him.

"Josh was the one you fancied," Jon pointed out. "Why didn't you chase after him with the lipstick?"

"I'm not sure," Allison said thoughtfully. "At that point I didn't fancy him. Besides, you were already my husband, remember?"

Jon groaned. "Oh, yeah."

"Don't you dare act as if that's a bad thing," Allison elbowed his side.

"I was forced into it at the time," Jon said elbowing her back.

"What's all this about?" Josh elbowed both of them.

"Memories," Allison said with a grin. "Remember my seventh birthday?"

Josh groaned. "The blush and eye shadow thing..."

"To this day, I don't see why we had to go," Jon grumbled. "Twelve girls and Josh and me."

"Oh get over it," Lizzy joined them. "I can't believe you're still moaning about wearing a bit of makeup."

"A bit of makeup?" Josh asked her indignantly. "Lizzy, you girls were relentless!"

"We didn't make you wear dresses," Lizzy reminded him.

"That's about all you didn't do," Josh grumbled.

"At least she didn't run after you singing something about 'Jon, Jon, put the lipstick on' like this one," Jon said poking his wife in the side.

"Quit poking me," Allison said. "And Lizzy's right. You two need to let it go."

"And at least we invited you both to our parties," Lizzy pointed out. "You and your 'all boys' parties! That was very rude!"

"Mummy and Daddy fight?" Emma was standing in front of them.

Jon picked her up, even though she was still covered in chocolate and strawberry. "Your mummy made your daddy wear makeup, Em! Can you believe that?"

"Daddy looked pretty!" Emma exclaimed.

Allison giggled. "Yes he did, Em."

"You girls always stick together don't you?" Jon asked his daughter.

"Girls rule," Emma said reciting one of her sister's favourite quotes. "Boys droooooool!"

Allison, Jon, Josh and Lizzy all burst out laughing.

"She may have red hair, but she's so much like you, Allie," Jon said tweaking Emma's nose.

"I like being like Mummy," Emma grinned at them.

Allison could tell Emma was relishing being in the spotlight. "She's my big helper, aren't you Em?"

Emma nodded. "All morning," she replied. "When Sissy went with Gampa."

"I don't know what I'd have done without her," Allison said smiling fondly at her daughter. "She kept Adam happy."

"Em sings to her little brother," Jon told Josh and Lizzy. She's been a wonderful big sister."

"Maybe you can do that for the triplets," Josh asked her. "Casey already thinks you hung the moon, Em."

"Em sing for them too," the little girl's red curls bounced as she nodded vigorously.

Josh laughed. "You've got a deal, Em."

"Em wants more cake," she said to her father.

"Me too," Jon said. "In fact, I haven't had any yet. You want to share some?"

Emma nodded eagerly. "Yummy!"

*** *** ***

The next day, Frankie and Will were sitting in the prison waiting room. Mrs. Roman was scheduled to arrive later, but Frankie was actually glad the case worker wasn't there. They'd be able to see exactly what David was up to without him trying to put on a show.

"Just don't overreact to anything he says," Will told her quietly.

"I'll try," Frankie said quietly.

"I know this is upsetting," Will squeezed her hand. "I don't like it either. That little girl deserves better than this."

Frankie opened her mouth to agree, but the door opened and the guard led David into the room. David winked at Frankie before slumping down into the metal chair.

Frankie pressed her lips together and shuddered in revulsion.

"Too bad she's like Abbie," David said to Will. "I imagine a fox like her's a good---"

"Finish that sentence and I'll throw you against the wall," Will interjected angrily.

"Awwww you wouldn't want to do that," David leered. "Then you wouldn't get what you wanted."

"You want to see Hannah?" Frankie asked him point-blank. "Why? You don't care about her at all, you bastard."

"But you do," David sat back lazily.

"We want to give her a nice, stable home," Frankie said determinedly. "We want her to grow up safe and happy and not have to worry about you ever coming back into her life. We want to try and repair the damage that YOU did."

"She's a little freak," David sneered.

Will shook his head. "You're never going to see her again, David."

"And if you want to take her home, you'll bring her in here," David said, a satisfied and nasty smile on his face.

"Why?" Frankie asked him. "Hmm? So you can terrorise her again?"

David's eyes roamed up and down her body and he didn't say a word.

Frankie shuddered and moved closer to Will. This man made her skin crawl.

"Look," Will was losing patience. "We're not going to put Hannah through meeting up with you again. What else do you want?"

"Your wife?" David asked suggestively.

Will nearly vaulted over the table but Frankie held him back. "Will," she whispered.

Will glared across the table at David and if looks could kill, David wouldn't have been a problem anymore. But, as it was, they needed something from this man and loathsome as he was to admit it, Will knew they had to treat him with kid gloves.

"Do you want money?" Will asked. "You're in prison. Money's not going to help you. And we can't get you out of here, David."

"I want to see my daughter," David stressed the last two words.

"No," Frankie said defiantly. "I'm not going to put her through that."

"Then I'm not signing anything," David shrugged.

"You don't care about her," Frankie hissed.

David smiled nastily again. "I just have the upper hand here," he said. "This is what I want, and I'm not signing anything until I get it."

"What would you say to her?" Will asked him.

"That's my business," David replied.

The door to the visitor's room opened and Mrs. Roman came striding inside. She looked upset that Frankie and Will were talking to David without her.

"The Barrons don't want to play ball, Roman," David told her.

"I happen to agree with them," Mrs. Roman said sharply. "What are your reasons for wanting to see Hannah again?"

"That's none of your business," David said with a shrug. "She's my daughter".

"Not anymore," Frankie snapped.

"You're feisty," David said to Frankie. "Abbie was too, but I took care of that."

"You're disgusting," Frankie said angrily.

"David, it is out of the question for you to see Hannah," Mrs. Roman said as she sat down. "She isn't capable of handling that sort of trauma."

"I just want to say goodbye to her," David said in a horribly innocent tone.

Mrs. Roman shook her head. "I think it's time that you went back to your cell."

"Another wasted visit for you," David scraped his chair back and grinned at the Barrons. "Guess you won't be taking the little brat home anytime soon."

Frankie seethed as she watched him being led out of the room by the guard.

"He's a bastard!" she cried, slamming her fist on the table.

"Frankie, why didn't you and Will wait outside until I arrived?" Mrs. Roman admonished. "I told you that he wasn't someone you wanted to mess with."

"We couldn't wait," Frankie replied. "We were hoping we could reason with him somehow."

"You cannot reason with someone like that," Mrs. Roman said. "And he isn't going to see Hannah."

"Absolutely not," Frankie said. "We couldn't put her through that."

"Maybe we could use polyjuice or something to make him think he's seeing Hannah?" Will suggested.

Mrs. Roman looked pensive. "That might be a good idea..." she said slowly.

"It's a wonderful idea!" Frankie exclaimed. "Will you're brilliant!"

"He gets what he wants and we get what we want and Hannah stays out of it," Will said as his wife hugged him fiercely.

"This will have to stay between us," Mrs. Roman told them seriously.

"Of course," Frankie said solemnly.

"I'll make the arrangements," Mrs. Roman wrote something down in her legal pad. "I want you both to understand that this is not something we'd normally do. But Hannah's a very special case."

"We understand, Mrs. Roman," Will said. "And we'd do anything to protect Hannah."

"That's the only reason I'm doing this," Mrs. Roman replied. "I've seen the changes in Hannah from when she arrived at the Weasleys. The way she's evolved is quite remarkable."

"It is," Frankie said smiling as she remembered how much fun Hannah had at the party last night.

"She's a lovely little girl," Mrs Roman said. "And I'm so pleased that the two of you want to adopt her. Every time we manage to find a good home it really makes this job worth it."

Frankie smiled. "It's nice to know you're on our side."

Mrs. Roman smiled. "I'll owl you tomorrow and let you know what's going to happen."

"Thank you," Will said shaking the woman's hand. "For everything."

"You're very welcome," Mrs. Roman said. "I'm glad I can do everything I can to make this work."

Frankie waited until she and Will were outside before she told him how scared she'd been.

"I know," Will said. "Truth be told, I wanted to kill him."

"You're not the only one," Frankie said. "But at least Hannah won't have to see him."

Will nodded. "I wouldn't want to put her through that, Frankie. I'd die first."

"Me too," Frankie agreed.

"We'll all be a lot better off when he's out of our lives," Will said remembering all too vividly how the other man had leered at his wife and those comments he'd made about Hannah.

"Let's go see her Will," Frankie said. "I really feel like holding her right now."

A few minutes later, they Apparated to the Weasley home and rang the doorbell. Luna smiled when she saw the two of them.

"We weren't expecting you today," she said as she stood back so they could enter.

"It's sort of last minute," Frankie explained. "We really want to see Hannah..."

"She's upstairs kipping," Luna replied.

"Oh," Frankie was visibly let down. "We don't want to disturb her--"

"She's been down about an hour," Luna said. "I'm sure she'd love for you to wake her."

"Are you sure?" Will asked.

Luna nodded. "She'd be disappointed if she knew you'd stopped by and she'd missed you. Go."

Frankie grinned and headed upstairs, Will right behind her. She pushed Hannah's door open gently and peeked inside.

Hannah was fast asleep on her bed---her purple blanket tucked tightly around her.

"She's so sweet and innocent," Frankie whispered. "Look at her Will..."

Will stood behind his wife as she sat down on the edge of Hannah's bed.

"Mummy?" Hannah asked sleepily.

"Hi baby," Frankie said softly.

Hannah rubbed at her eyes. "I-I didn't think you were coming today..."

"We decided we wanted to see you," Frankie held her arms open.

Hannah smiled and pulled back her blanket. She put her arms around Frankie.

She held the little girl tightly. "I missed you too much not to see you today," Frankie kissed the top of her head.

"Hi Will," Hannah whispered smiling at him. "You look sad..."

"I don't mean to," Will forced a smile on his face as Hannah moved to give him a hug. "Just being here makes me happier though."

Hannah put her arms around his neck and laughed when Will scooped her up and spun her around. "Don't stop!" she squealed.

Frankie laughed as she watched her husband and Hannah.

"Let me know if you get dizzy," Will said as he felt his spirits lifted by the sound of the little girl's laughter.

"I like this!" she said happily.

"Me too, princess," Will said finally growing tired and setting her down on the floor. Hannah stumbled a bit as she was a little dizzy.

Frankie laughed as she reached out for her. "Careful now..."

"I love it when Daddy does that," Hannah said, still giggling.

Frankie grinned widely at her husband. "I think it made him a bit dizzy too," she stroked Hannah's long hair back behind her ears.

This was the first time that Hannah had ever called him that and Will couldn't stop the smile from spreading across his face.

"So, what have you been up to today?" Will asked sitting down.

"I helped Luna make some biscuits again," Hannah told them. "And then Jenny and me played Asploding Snap."

"Did you win?" Will asked.

Hannah nodded and grinned.

"That's my girl," Will said putting his arm around her.

"Do I get to go home with you tonight?" Hannah couldn't resist asking.

Frankie and Will exchanged a look.

"Well, not exactly," Frankie finally said. "But we're working with Mrs. Roman on something and hopefully, we'll be taking you home with us before you know it, Hannah."

"I hope so," Hannah leaned against her. "I wish I can go home with you every night before I go to sleep."

"We do too," Frankie said softly. "Every day and every night."

"I really, really want to go," Hannah said.

"We want you to come with us too," Will said. "But it won't be too much longer. We...we were wondering if perhaps you'd like to take everything from your room here and move it there or would you want new things?"

"Mister Ron and Luna let me make this room the way I wanted," Hannah said, biting her lower lip.

"You can make you room at our house any way you want," Frankie said.

"Really?" Hannah smiled.

"Really," Frankie said smiling back at her. "Have you any ideas?"

"Can I still have loads of purple?" Hannah asked,

"Loads and loads of purple," Frankie said nodding.

"I don't really know what else I like yet," Hannah said shyly.

"You know what this means, don't you?" Frankie asked. "We get to go shopping!"

"Oh no," Will said dramatically.

"Hush up you," Frankie said. "We'll go easy on your wallet."

Will winked at Hannah. "She only says that to make me feel better. She's never gone easy on my money bag."

"My Daddy used to fight with my mummy all the time about money," Hannah said looking down at the floor. "I don't need anything new..."

"Hey," Frankie said. "You don't even need to worry about money ever again. You're going to get anything and everything you want, Hannah."

"I just want to be your little girl," Hannah said hugging Frankie again. "That's all I want."

"And that's going to happen as soon as possible," Frankie promised.

"I hope so," Hannah said resting her head on Frankie's shoulder.

"You just wait," Will grinned at her. "One of these days we're going to sweep right in here and take you home with us."

"Before Christmas?" Hannah asked hopefully.

"We hope so," Frankie said. "Keep these fingers crossed."

"My fingers and my toes," Hannah said smiling at Frankie. "Mummy."

Frankie loved it when Hannah called her that. "Fingers, toes, and eyes." she teased her.

Hannah grimaced. "I hate it when Joey crosses his eyes. It's so gross!"

Frankie and Will laughed. "Just fingers and toes then," he replied.

"And you can maybe help me pick out something for Frankie's Christmas present," Will said. He wasn't sure how Hannah would react to this as they had never been alone just the two of them.

Hannah nodded. "Okay," she agreed.

Will smiled. "We have to be careful with this one. She doesn't like it when we know something she doesn't."

"And when we pick out Will's presents, we won't tell a single soul," Frankie intervened.

Hannah giggled. "Okay."

"We were thinking we might go out for dinner tonight," Frankie said. "You pick where you want to go."

"Really?" Hannah asked.

"That's right," Will put an arm around her.

"Um," Hannah looked thoughtfully at him. "Can we go to that place with the guy who speaks funny?"

"Which place was that again?" Will looked at his wife.

"Antonio's," Frankie replied. "I think she wants that pizza again."

"Ahhhh of course," Will grinned. "My little pizza fanatic."

"Antonio's it is," Frankie said.

"Yum," Hannah said happily.

Frankie and Will spent the rest of the afternoon playing with Hannah. Frankie hoped that their plan to fool David would work. She desperately wanted to have Hannah at home with her and Will for Christmas.

*** *** ***

It was nearing Christmas hols and Alexa still wasn't looking forward to going home. Saffron was of course, she still had Andrew and their one year anniversary to look forward to. Alexa had only heard back once from RJ since the whole pregnancy scare and the photos of him and Serena had appeared in every newspaper, and that was just him saying he was drunk and didn't mean anything.

She had written back to tell him that she wasn't pregnant and he should consider himself lucky- and after that there had been nothing. Luckily though, she had Gabriel, whom had written her steadily and aside from Saffron, had been a constant companion through the mail.

"Earth to Alexa," Mimi said cutting into her thoughts.

"Hmm?" Alexa asked, tearing her gaze away from the windows and looking at her friend.

"I wanted to know if you had that Defence book that Professor Malfoy said we should use for our essays?" Mimi asked. "Beth borrowed mine and she somehow 'lost it'."

"I'm sure I do," Alexa rummaged in her bag for a few moments. "Here..."

"Thanks," Mimi said taking the book from her. "Are you sure you're okay?"

"I'm fine," Alexa said a bit sharply. "Why does everyone keep asking me that?"

"Sorry," Mimi recoiled. "I was just worried is all, Lexie."

"I'm sorry," Alexa replied. "I shouldn't snap at you Meems. It's not you I'm angry at."

"I understand," Mimi said sitting down beside her. "You know...I have a book on voodoo..."

Alexa smiled. "You think we should make a doll? Bend its legs backwards and tear its hair out?"

Mimi nodded enthusiastically. "Now you're talking."

Alexa shook her head. "It does sound tempting but thanks anyway Meems."

"Saffy's still at practise, eh?" Mimi asked. "I heard the headmaster talking about some sort of surprise for the Quidditch teams, but I'm not sure what he was talking about...what? I wasn't eavesdropping, I swear!"

"Sure you weren't," Alexa said. "Meems you about pass out every time he talks."

"I can't help it," Mimi said sheepishly. "He's so...dreamy!"

"I just hope you and Beth still aren't angry over Julie," Alexa said. "You know she and the headmaster are just friends working together."

"I know," Mimi said. "But you should tell that to those two Slytherin cows."

"They're really the worst," Alexa agreed. "Honestly, if they spent even half the time doing homework that they spend gossiping, they'd be giving Saffron a run for her money."

Mimi nodded. "No one's going to beat Saffy for Head Girl though. She's got that in the bag."

"Definitely," Alexa said.

"Why don't we go out on the pitch?" Mimi suggested. "We could see what the big surprise is."

"You just want to see Oliver Wood," Alexa accused jokingly.

"Well that too, but I want to see you smiling again," Mimi said setting aside her book and standing up. "Come on, O'Leary."

Alexa knew Mimi would be relentless until she agreed to go so she got her cloak and the two of them set out for the pitch.

On the pitch, the Gryffindor team had been quite surprised to see the Hufflepuff team waiting there.

"Grimsley!" Saffron called out to the opposing team's captain. "We have the pitch this afternoon. What are you lot doing out here?"

"Headmaster wants us out here Potter," the Hufflepuff replied.

"For what?" Saffron asked curiously.

Grimsley shrugged. "I'm not sure. We all got notes from him today. The other teams will be out here soon too."

Saffron huffed. "Well it's cutting into my team's practise time."

"Ours too," Grimsley said rolling his eyes at her. "You act like you're the only ones inconvenienced here."

"But I have the pitch booked through the afternoon," Saffron objected. "Your practise is tomorrow."

The Slytherin captain was leading his own team onto the pitch and he heard what Saffron had said. "And big surprise, Potter is whining again."

"Shut up," Saffron said. "I am NOT whining."

"I am not whining," the captain mimicked.

"That's really mature, Ramsey," Imelda said rolling her eyes.

"Oh sod off, all of you," the Ravenclaw team had arrived.

"Another one the Headmaster's brilliant ideas," Ramsey scoffed. "And we thought Dumbledore was bad for this school..."

"Don't you say anything bad about Dumbledore!" Saffron retorted.

"Of course the teacher's pet doesn't want to hear anything bad," Ramsey said mockingly. "She's the perfect prefect."

"Why you little---" Saffron started to say.

"Good afternoon, students," Oliver said as he came onto the pitch. "I'm sure you're all wondering why I brought you all out here today."

"Why yes sir, we were," Ramsey said snidely. "Potter here was in the middle of throwing a fit over her interrupted practise time."

Saffron glared at him.

Oliver chose to ignore the Slytherin's words. "I know that this may have interrupted some of your schedules, but I think this will be beneficial to all of you. As you know, one of my goals as headmaster is to bring some of our alumni back to the school..."

"Snape said the headmaster had the most ridiculous ideas," Ramsey muttered under his breath.

"Shut your mouth," Saffron hissed at him.

"As such," Oliver continued. "I have invited a few professional Quidditch players to come out and provide a sort of workshop for the teams."

"Really?" Imelda asked excitedly.

"From Puddlemere United," Oliver continued. "Please welcome the former Ravenclaw Steven Reade and former Gryffindor RJ Weasley..."

Saffron's eyes travelled to her best friend at this news. Alexa had arrived just in time to hear the headmaster's news.

The headmaster announced the professional players from Hufflepuff and Slytherin. "These athletes have taken time out of their busy schedules to help you out and I hope that you will let them know how much you appreciate it. RJ, how about you start out with your old team mates and Steven, I'll leave you to the Ravenclaws."

Saffron crossed her arms as RJ came towards them. The rest of the team greeted their old captain enthusiastically but she remained distanced.

"Hiya, Saffy," RJ said warmly. He had noticed her chilly demeanour, but he hoped to work his charm on her.

"Hello," Saffron said coolly. "What would you like to talk to us about?" she half hoped he would see Alexa standing at the edge of the field.

"Well," RJ began. "We could start with some questions...what do you guys want to know?"

"What it's like playing professionally," Ewan pushed forward. "What's the difference from playing in school and on Puddlemere?"

RJ smiled. "Well, you don't have to worry about keeping your marks up for one thing. And you get to stay out late..."

"About playing on the TEAM," Saffron said icily. "Not your social life."

RJ glared at her, but recovered quickly. "Right, well the facilities are really amazing. If you guys want, during the Christmas hols, I'd be more than willing to give you a tour."

"That'd be fantastic, RJ." Imelda said gratefully.

"No problem, Melds," RJ said smiling at her. "So, I understand you guys have a winning record so far. I knew that Saf would be a great captain."

"She works us hard," Ewan said with a grin. "But it's worth it."

Saffron smiled at Ewan. "Thanks, Ewan."

"She does have us on a winning streak, which of course the Slytherins hate," Imelda said with a grin.

"Which I love to hear," RJ joked. "I promise I won't give them any good tips, guys."

Saffron waited for RJ to notice Alexa, but he kept on talking to the rest of her team mates giving them pointers. A small part of her knew she should give him the benefit of the doubt; that he couldn't have known Alexa would be here at a Quidditch practise.

"He's such a wanker," she muttered to herself.

"So, why don't you lot practise that move I taught and Saffron and I will watch from down here," RJ said.

The Gryffindor team took to their brooms and RJ stood next to Saffron. "You're doing a great job with them," he said. "They really enjoy practising for you."

"Thank you," Saffron said crisply.

"How've you been?" RJ asked. "Andrew misses you a lot. He told me to tell you that."

"Oh, I've been great," Saffron said sarcastically. "I held my best friend's hand while she waited to find out if she was pregnant. And then I let her cry on my shoulder when she saw those pictures of you with that slag. So, it's been a really grand time for me. How are you?"

"Look that was a huge accident, all right?" RJ said in a quiet voice. "I told Lex I was sorry."

"And that makes it okay?" Saffron asked him angrily. "To think I actually stood up for you!"

"It doesn't make things okay," RJ said sharply. "I made a mistake- a huge one. I haven't even seen Serena since then."

"Don't tell me that," Saffron said picking up her broom. She motioned toward the stands. "Tell her."

"What?" RJ spun around.

"She's been sitting over there with Mimi," Saffron said before mounting her broom. "Don't screw this up, RJ."

RJ swallowed hard as Saffron took up with the rest of the team. He knew that he was supposed to spend all his time here watching them and offering pointers, but he couldn't resist going over by his girlfriend. "Hi Lexie," he said tentatively.

"Hello," Alexa replied coolly.

Mimi excused herself quickly and left the two of them alone. "Um... mind if I sit down? I should at least pretend I'm watching the team up there..."

Alexa shrugged and tried to focus her attention on the players in the sky.

"I'm really sorry about everything," RJ said quietly. "I really am. I never, ever meant to hurt you Lexie."

"You lied to me," she said trying not to cry. She'd cried enough over the past few weeks and she didn't want to do it in front of him.

"I know," RJ took her hand and was relieved when she didn't pull away. "I was a real asshole for doing that to you. I deserved everything you said to me."

"Can I ask you something?" she asked him. "And please tell me the truth. Don't tell me what you think I want to hear."

RJ nodded. "I'll tell you anything you want."

"If I had been pregnant," Alexa asked. "What would you have done?"

RJ thought for a long moment. "I'm not really sure," he admitted. "I do know one thing- I would have stuck by you without question."

"Stood by me?" Alexa asked quietly.

"I'd have done what I could to support you," RJ answered. "I know it hasn't seemed like it lately, but I love you."

Alexa looked away from him. "Every time I look at you, I see that photograph of you and her..."

"I'm shite for doing that to you," RJ tried to get her to look at him.

"Why did you?" she asked him finally meeting his gaze.

"I really don't know," he said. "I was completely pissed. It was right after I got your letter and I really thought you were having a baby... and it scared the hell out of me."

"I was scared too," Alexa said softly.

"I should have found a way to be here--" RJ began.

"What's happening to us?" Alexa asked him. "We're falling apart, RJ."

"No we're not," he protested.

"We are," Alexa argued. "That night you came here...I've never felt so close to you and then..."

"I know," he said. "I know... I should have been more careful."

"Me too," Alexa admitted. "RJ..."

"Yeah?" he asked hopefully.

She scooted closer to him. "I'm glad you're here."

Relieved, he put an arm around here. "I'm glad you came down here. I was really hoping I could see you."

She relaxed against him. "I wasn't going to, but Mimi insisted."

He kissed the top of her head. "Christmas hols will be like a whole new start for us Lexie. I promise I'm going to be around."

Alexa smiled. "I'd love that."

"Great," RJ gave her a kiss on the lips. "And what's this- Saffron said she took up for me? Did I hear right?"

Alexa giggled. "She didn't want that to ever get out."

"I might have to hold that over her head for life," RJ felt better than he had in ages.

Alexa laughed. "She was a good friend to both of us, RJ."

"Maybe now she won't be in such a strop with me," RJ watched her fly. "Saffron's damn good... I think she has a real chance of getting in at Puddlemere when she's finished here. The team manager's already talking about her."

"That's fantastic," Alexa said proudly. "I don't know how she does it, really. She's amazing."

"I'll never admit this to anyone but you, but she flies better than me," RJ admitted. "She's just like her dad up there."

"Your secret is safe with me," Alexa said smiling at him.

"Nice to know I can always count on you." RJ smiled back.

"You should probably get back," Alexa said. "I'm sure the other teams want to learn from the best."

"If I don't see you before I leave, I'll write to you tonight," RJ promised. "I love you Lexie."

"I love you too," she said throwing caution to the wind and giving him a proper kiss.

"Now that's a kiss," RJ said, slightly dazedly when they pulled apart.

Alexa smiled at him. "I did miss you, you know."

"I could tell," he teased.

"I'll wait here so we can say goodbye," she promised.

"Great," he squeezed her hand before heading back out onto the field.

She watched him go thinking that he was right. Christmas would be a new start for them. They would have time to get to know each other again and to be alone. She could see them cuddling up on the sofa in his sitting room looking at the tree.

RJ kept sneaking glances over at her while the Gryffindor team finished their practise.

"How'd we do?" one of the new Chasers asked him.

"Brilliant," RJ replied. "Just keep practising."

"Thanks old captain," Imelda teased. "Your opinion means the world you know."

RJ grinned. "Well, I am a professional now."

Saffron resisted the urge to snort. She'd noticed RJ and Alexa sitting together and talking but didn't know how things had worked out.

"Saf, mind if I have a quick word?" RJ asked her.

"I suppose," Saffron said, her tone still cool but not as icy as it had been earlier.

RJ led her off to the side. "I don't deserve it, but she forgave me, Saffy."

"She's a better person than me then," Saffron replied.

"I'm not going to screw it up again," he promised.

"I hope not," Saffron said. "So how's my Andrew?"

"Good," RJ replied. "He would have come himself, but Wimbourne has an away match with the Cannons, as I'm sure you already knew."

"Yeah," Saffron said. "I hope he beats the trousers off Paul Davies."

"You and me both," RJ said bitterly. He had yet to play the Cannons yet, but he was going to make sure Paul knew that he couldn't mess with a Weasley and get away with it.

Saffron finally smiled at him. "I guess it's kind of good to see you," she bumped his shoulder.

RJ grinned. "And you actually stood up for me..."

"Yeah, yeah," Saffron said. "Don't let it go to your head."

"You really have done an amazing job with the team," RJ told her. "I'm proud."

Saffron flushed a bit. "Thanks," she said. "I've really worked hard on making us the best."

RJ gave her a hug. "Don't ever change, Saffy."

"I won't," Saffron laughed. "You can't improve perfection remember?"

RJ chucked her on the chin. "Let me go give some pointers to the Slytherins. This should be fun."

"Oooh can I watch?" Saffron asked. "They're soooo not going to listen to anything you say."

"Yes, but they have to be nice since the headmaster is here," RJ said making his way toward the Slytherin team who looked quite bored with the proceedings.

"I love seeing them have to behave," Saffron replied.

"Hello, Ramsey," RJ said in a sweet voice as he stood in front of the Slytherins. "You lot have a losing record, right?"

Ramsey sneered at him. "What do you want, Weasley? Come to gloat?"

RJ shook his head. "I just thought I'd give you some pointers. Merlin knows you need it."

"Fuck off," Ramsey snapped. "I don't want anything from you. Just because you're on Puddlemere doesn't mean--"

"Everything alright?" Oliver asked coming up to join them.

Ramsey snapped his mouth shut.

"Of course sir," RJ said. "I was just about to see if the Slytherins would like a few pointers from a pro."

"I'm sure they'd appreciate any help you could give them, wouldn't you?" Oliver asked Ramsey.

Saffron bit down hard on her lower lip to keep from laughing at the expression on Ramsey's face.

"Of course," Ramsey said through clenched teeth.

"Excellent," Oliver said smiling at them. He turned his attention to Saffron. "How about we go back over to the Gryffindors, Miss Potter?"

"Sure," Saffron said. "Thanks for the tips RJ. I'll see you soon."

Oliver and Saffron walked back toward the stands.

"You really are quite an athlete, Saffron," Oliver said.

"Thank you sir," Saffron said, flushed with pleasure. "I take after my dad."

"You're even better than he was," Oliver said smiling at her.

"You really think so?" Saffron asked astonishingly.

Oliver nodded. "I do. My father actually saw your Grandfather James play when he was at Hogwarts. From what he tells me, you're an awful lot like him."

"Wow," Saffron said softly. "I heard he was really something else..."

"You should ask Remus Lupin to tell you some stories about him," Oliver said. "It really is a shame you didn't get the chance to know them."

"When I'm home for Christmas hols I think I will," Saffron said thoughtfully.

"And all your professors rave about you," Oliver said. "Well, almost all."

"I know Professor Snape hates me," Saffron rolled her eyes. "But does he have to count?"

Oliver chuckled. "Considering the source, no."

"Good," Saffron laughed.

"And your sister is quite proud," Oliver said. "She's really been a great friend to me."

Saffron nodded. "My sister's awesome. I don't know what I would have done without her."

"I feel the same," Oliver said fondly.

Saffron looked over at her headmaster. "And she and Nick are still so in love," she said in a neutral tone.

"He's a lucky bloke," Oliver agreed.

Saffron smiled again at her headmaster, now fully convinced that her sister and Oliver Wood were really, truly friends only.

"I'll leave you to it," Oliver said. "I'm going to go and check in with the other teams."

"Thank you for walking me back sir," Saffron said.

"My pleasure," Oliver said before walking away.

Saffron was about to rejoin her team when Mimi pulled her back. "WHAT were you doing?" she demanded.

Saffron looked bemusedly at her. "What?"

"Walking around with Ollie and acting as if you own him," Mimi hissed.

"Meems?" Saffron asked. "He was chatting with me about my grandfather. You really need to get a grip."

"How come he never walks ME anywhere?" Mimi huffed.

"I don't know," Saffron said sarcastically. "Maybe because every time you get within two feet of him, you giggle and run away?"

"I do not," Mimi denied.

"Meems, you do," Saffron said trying to be patient. "And you know, if you stopped looking at 'Ollie', you'd notice that Jake has been checking you out for the last hour."

"What?" Mimi whipped her head around. "Why didn't you say something before?"

"Because you accosted me!" Saffron exclaimed. "Look at him...he's practically drooling, Meems."

"He is, isn't he?" Mimi gazed at him flirtatiously.

"And more importantly, he's your age," Saffron said giving her a gentle push. "Now, go flirt with the nice boy."

Mimi ambled off without another word and Saffron shook her head before rejoining her team. "All right guys," she said. "We still have a bit of practise time left. Even though there's no way we'll get back up there today, we can still talk strategy."

Ewan nodded. "The Hufflepuffs have a really great team this year."

"But still not as good as ours," Saffron said enthusiastically.

"We'll easily beat them," Imelda said confidently. "How cool was it that RJ was here?"

"It was awesome," the other new Chaser said. "I mean, I wish I'd had the chance to play with him while he was here..."

"He was a bit of a taskmaster," Saffron said.

"Pot-kettle," Imelda teased.

"Hey," Saffron nudged her.

"Well," Imelda said defensively. "You're a bit of a taskmaster too, but in a good way."

"I try," Saffron grinned at her. "But I am really proud of you all. We really do make a fantastic team and I have no doubt that we're going to win the Quidditch cup."

"Damn straight!" Ewan agreed heartily.

"All right you lot," Saffron grinned. "Hit the showers."

Alexa walked out onto the pitch to say goodbye to her boyfriend.

"Steven," RJ said to his team mate. "I'd like you to meet Alexa O'Leary."

"Hi Alexa," Steven held his hand out. "I've heard a lot about you from RJ here."

"Hi," Alexa said shyly, shaking his hand. "I-I hope it was good."

"All of it," Steven said with a grin.

"She's going to go with me to the team Christmas party," RJ said putting an arm around her.

"I look forward to seeing you there," Steven replied.

"I'll catch up with you in a few minutes, eh?" RJ asked and Steven nodded before walking away.

"Your Christmas party?" Alexa asked RJ.

"Yeah," RJ said. "The team has this huge one every year and I was really hoping you'd be there with me."

"Where is it?" Alexa asked.

"Trafalgar," RJ answered.

"I'm not sure if my parents will let me go," Alexa told him.

"We'll try and get them to let you," RJ took her hands. "I need you there with me."

Alexa smiled. "I suppose I'll have to get a new dress."

"You'll look gorgeous in anything you wear," RJ said softly.

"I'll get Saffron to help me pick out something nice," Alexa said giving him a hug. "I really am glad that we talked about this, RJ."

"Me too," RJ held her tightly. "I've really missed you."

"I've missed you too," she said softly.

RJ kissed her. "I love you Lexie."

"I love you too," Alexa said. In the distance, she saw Steven motioning for RJ. "You have to go...."

"Yeah," he said. "I'll write to you, okay?"

"Promise?" Alexa asked beaming up at him.

"I promise," he kissed the back of her hand and then her lips again.

Alexa was practically floating on air as she watched him go. This really was going to be a good Christmas.

142. 142- Harry/Hermione interview at the end!

You guys will have to be patient with us on the Hannah case, we’re adding in a few things to make the story more worth your while. But it WILL get resolved soon, we promise! In the meantime, you Gabe lovers out there will get loads of him this chapter. Next one brings back Saffron and Andrew, as well as some H/HR :D

At the bottom, we have the interview with H/Hr, and also next week will feature Jon and Allison as the pair being questioned. So send them on in and we’ll see you guys on Tuesday!

Back in America, Gabriel was thinking the same thing. This would be his first Christmas with his father and stepmother and he was looking forward to seeing Alexa again.

He was hanging out with his best friend Nico kicking the soccer ball around in his parents' backyard.

"Dude, are you really going to England for Christmas?" Nico asked.

"Yeah," Gabriel answered. "I really want to spend it with my dad and step mum."

Nico shook his head. "Step mum? You're starting to sound like one of them, Gabe."

"Sorry," Gabriel grinned. "I guess it's being around them. Their accents sort of stick."

Nico kicked the ball back toward his friend. "And your grandparents, they're okay with all this?'

"They wish I could be here of course," Gabriel stopped it with his foot. "But I think it'll be cool to be overseas."

"And that redhead has nothing to do with it, right?" Nico asked.

"What are you talking about?" Gabriel asked a tad too quickly.

"Dude, I've known you since we were kids, right?" Nico asked. "I know when you're sprung on some girl. What's her name again? Alexis?"

"Alexa," Gabriel answered quietly. "And we're just friends. She's dating someone."

"Speaking of dating someone," Nico said. "I saw Emily the other day."

"Good for you," Gabriel rolled his eyes.

"She was asking about you," Nico said. "She and the quarterback have apparently broken up."

"We all knew THAT wasn't going to last," Gabriel kicked the ball back a bit harder than he intended.

"She said that she might give you a call sometime," Nico said.

"You didn't give her my cell number did you?" Gabriel asked.

"Hell no," Nico replied. "Not after what that bitch did to you, Gabe."

"Good," Gabriel said in relief.

"But you know how she can be," Nico said. "She might try and run into you."

"I'll be gone soon then," Gabriel said. "And if you see her--"

"You're off with some hot redhead in London," Nico finished.

"Whatever," Gabriel said.

A sleek, black SUV pulled into the drive and both boys turned around.

"How many cars does your dad have?" Nico asked staring in awe at the vehicle.

"He's got a few," Gabriel waved. "He's got another couple over in London."

"Why don't you have him buy you a couple?" Nico asked. "And, of course, your best friend from childhood..."

"And deny you the pleasure of driving that heap?" Gabe asked sarcastically motioning towards Nico's old car.

Nico grinned sheepishly. "What can I say?" he joked.

"Dad, what are you doing here?" Gabriel asked when Seamus got out of the car.

"Just stopping by to talk about our travel arrangements," Seamus replied.

"And you can hear about his great accomplishment," Nico said balancing the soccer ball on his knee. "Mr. Intelligent here just made the Dean's List."

"What?" Seamus asked with a huge grin. "Gabe that's fantastic! I'm really proud of you!"

Gabriel shrugged. "It's just for the fall semester, Dad."

"But still," Seamus insisted. "Lav's going to be ecstatic when she hears this."

Gabe shook his head as he watched his best friend practically drooling over Seamus' car. "Nico..."

"Sorry man," Nico said. "But this car is SWEET!"

Seamus laughed. "It is a nice, but it costs a fortune in petrol."

"In what?" Nico asked.

"Gas," Gabriel translated.

"Mr. Finnigan you make millions," Nico said. "And you complain about the cost of gas?"

"It's so high these days," Seamus said. "It's harsh on everyone."

"I still think Gabe's an idiot for not moving in with you," Nico said shaking his head. "I'd rather live in some mansion, myself."

"I understand why he wants to stay with his grandparents," Seamus looked at his son. "Plus he's probably really busy with school, and my wife and I aren't around all that often."

"Nico, don't you have to go?" Gabriel asked.

Nico shook his head. "No, I'm good."

Gabriel looked at his father and rolled his eyes.

"You want to give the car a test drive?" Seamus asked Nico.

"Are you serious?" Nico asked in disbelief.

"As long as you don't make a run for Tijuana, yeah," Seamus said handing him the keys.

"Oh my God," Nico stared at him.

Gabe laughed. "Just around the block, Nico."

"Awesome," Nico dashed towards the car.

"You've just made his life," Gabriel told his father as they watched Nico back out of the drive.

"He seems like a nice kid," Seamus was amused.

"We've been friends since first grade when he tried to get me to eat paste," Gabriel said laughing.

"The beginnings of a beautiful friendship," Seamus joked as he gave his son a hug.

"How've you been?" Gabriel asked. He'd been busy studying for his finals and hadn't had the chance to see much of his dad.

"Good," Seamus nodded. "A bit crazy as of late, but things are finally settling down on the set. We're almost finished filming."

"Will you be finished by the time we head overseas?" Gabriel asked.

"I hope to be," Seamus replied.

"You're really hard to shop for," Gabriel admitted as they sat down on the porch. "What do you get for the dad who has everything?"

"You don't have to get me anything," Seamus laughed. "Just having you over with us for Christmas hols is enough."

Gabriel smiled. "Well, I still have to get you something. Just lower your expectations."

"I'll enjoy anything you get me," Seamus replied.

"You say that now, but wait until you open the box with a fruitcake in it," Gabriel said dryly.

"If you give me fruitcake guess what you'll be getting back next year," Seamus teased.

"Duly noted," Gabriel said laughing as he saw Nico drive past the house once more.

"Do you think he's coming back with my car?" Seamus asked wryly.

"He will," Gabriel said. "Hopefully."

"I suppose if he's your mate he's trustworthy enough," Seamus said. "Maybe you can bring him over to England with you sometime."

"I'm not sure if England is ready for that," Gabriel mused.

"I don't think England was ever ready for Saffron and they got her," Seamus said.

Gabriel laughed. "It's going to be good to see her again."

"She's missed you," Seamus said.

"She's written to me a few times," Gabriel said.

Seamus smiled. "I'm glad to hear that. She's having quite the busy year at school."

"I feel her pain," Gabriel said. He leaned back in his chair.

"I want to hear more about your classes," Seamus said. "What are you taking next term?"

"Chemistry," Gabriel replied. "English Lit, Biochemistry, Advanced Physics..."

"Wow," Seamus shook his head. "That's quite a load."

"You want to help me out?" Gabriel teased.

"Are you saying you want your old man to pay off some of those professors?" Seamus joked.

Gabriel shook his head. "No, I was just wondering if perhaps you could give me some help with Chemistry...I heard from Ron that you once burned your eyebrows on some spell?"

Seamus roared with laughter. "That was back in our first year, when I was eleven."

"Years and years ago..." Gabriel joked.

"Not that many years ago," he sat up straighter as Nico pulled the car back into the drive.

The grin on Nico's face was a mile wide as he got out of the car. "I want one of those."

"You're going to be saving up for years and years," Gabriel cracked.

"Or I could just buy a few lottery tickets," Nico said as he handed over the keys to Seamus. "Or head to Vegas..."

"Not for another few years you can't," Gabriel reminded him. "That ID looks nothing like you."

"I spent good money for that Gabe," Nico said reaching into his pocket for his wallet. He took out the fake ID and handed it to Seamus. "Looks like me don’t it?"

Seamus took it. "Well..." he answered. "I've seen many a fake ID in my time... and while the quality's not bad, the picture's not very similar. I wouldn't try using that if I was you."

"Really?" Nico asked deflated.

"It's up to you, of course." Seamus handed it back.

"We only have to wait three more years," Gabriel said clapping his friend on the back.

Margaret came out onto the porch. "I thought I heard you out here. Hello, Seamus. Gabriel, you have a phone call."

"Thanks Gran," Gabriel headed inside while Seamus greeted Margaret.

"It's always good to see you," Seamus kissed her cheek. "How's everything with you and Lewis?"

"He's...well he's Lewis," Margaret said laughing. "How's Lavender?"

"Wonderful," Seamus said. "She wishes she could have come by but she's working."

"I hope we get to see her soon," Margaret said.

Gabriel picked up the phone. "Hello?"

"Gabe?" a familiar female voice said. "Hey, it's me, Emily."

"Emily?" Gabriel asked in disbelief.

"Hey," she said coyly. "How've you been?"

"Fine," Gabriel said coolly. "Why are you calling me?"

"I ran into Nico the other day," Emily replied. "And it made me start thinking about you..."

"Well there's a first," Gabriel replied.

"I was really sorry to hear about your mom," Emily said sympathetically. "I was going to go to the funeral, but I thought that might be strange."

"Thanks..." Gabriel said.

"Trent and I broke up," Emily said.

"Sorry to hear that," Gabriel said, rolling his eyes.

"He never really understood me," Emily said softly. "Not like you did. And we certainly never talked the way we did, Gabe."

"You certainly weren't thinking of all that when you dumped me," Gabriel said bluntly.

"Don't be like that, Gabe," Emily said. "I turned to Trent when you weren't there for me..."

"Oh I'm so sorry I was dealing with my mother dying," Gabriel snapped sarcastically.

Emily's end of the line was silent.

"That's what I thought," Gabriel said bitterly.

"I really am sorry about that," Emily finally said. "I didn't...I didn't know how to handle all of that."

"Yeah well neither did I," Gabriel replied. "But I had to."

"I wish I had been there for you," Emily said quietly.

"Too little too late," Gabriel was unsympathetic.

"Are---are you seeing anyone now?" Emily tried again.

"I don't know what concern that is of yours," Gabriel sighed. "Look Emily I've got to go. My dad is here and--"

"Oh, of course," Emily said. "I'll let you go, but would you like to...maybe get together for a coffee or something?"

"I don't think so," Gabriel replied, but not as harshly as before.

"Gabe," Emily said softly.

"What?" he asked.

"I know I don't deserve a second chance," she said hesitantly.

"Not with me you don't," he said.

"You don't feel anything for me at all anymore?" she asked him.

"Honestly Emily?" Gabriel asked. "No, I don't. Not after everything that's happened to me in the last year."

"Oh," Emily said quietly.

"I'd better go," Gabriel replied.

"If I don't hear from you beforehand, Merry Christmas, Gabe," Emily said softly.

"Yeah," Gabriel said. "You too Emily."

Gabriel hung up the phone and leaned against the wall.

"Everything okay?" Seamus asked from the doorway.

"Yeah," Gabriel shook his head. "My ex girlfriend wants to get back together."

"Emily, right?" Seamus asked.

"Right," Gabriel nodded.

"You turned her down," Seamus guessed.

"After what she did?" Gabriel said. "Yes I did."

"Can't say as I blame you," Seamus said.

"Yeah well... I don't really have a lot of time for girls right now anyway." Gabriel covered. "I've got way too much homework."

Seamus reached into his pocket and pulled out an envelope. "How about this girl?"

"It's from Lex?" he asked.

"Arrived this morning according to Lavender," Seamus said noticing the slight smile on his son's face.

"Cool," Gabriel tucked it into his back pocket. He wanted to read it in private later.

"And I can't wait to tell my mum and dad about your making the Dean's List, Gabe," Seamus said proudly.

Gabriel grinned at him. "Gran and Grandpa went through the roof when they heard. They said my mother would have been really, really proud of me."

"Sam would have been over the moon," Seamus said smiling as he thought of her.

"I hope so," Gabriel said. "I hope I can help save someone who was sick like she was."

"I know you will," Seamus said as Nico and Margaret came into the house.

"I finally got him away from your car, Seamus," Margaret said shaking her head.

"I was just looking at it, Mrs. Boyd," Nico said sheepishly.

"I'm sure it's fine," Seamus grinned. "That car's pretty resilient."

Nico grinned back. "Thanks so much for letting me drive it. Gabe should get one just like it."

"I don't need a car," Gabriel said rolling his eyes. "I can ride my bike or take the bus and if I ever do need to drive, I can just borrow Grandpa's."

"Gabe knows if he needs something, he can come to me." Seamus replied.

"I'm fine," Gabriel said with a sigh.

"If you were my dad, I'd be hitting you up for a car, a sweet condo...." Nico started to say, but Gabriel punched him hard on the arm.

"You're so subtle," Gabriel said sarcastically.

"With all this abuse, I think I'll get out of here," Nico said rubbing his arm.

"I'll see you later," Gabriel told him. "We're going to the movies tomorrow, right?"

"Yup," Nico said. "Later, Mr. Finnigan. Mrs. Boyd."

"It was nice seeing you again Nico," Seamus replied.

Nico grinned. "Can you introduce us to any hot actresses?"

Gabriel pushed his friend out the door. "Say goodbye, Nico."

"Goodbye Nico," he said in a smartass tone before leaving.

"Sorry about that Dad," Gabriel said closing the door. "He doesn't always think before he speaks..."

"Harry sometimes says that about Lavender," Seamus was amused. "It's been an ongoing argument with them for years."

Gabriel laughed. "Lavender's not that bad."

Seamus grinned. "She wants to know if you're free for dinner tonight."

"Sure," Gabriel replied. He looked at his grandmother. "We didn't have anything planned did we?"

"I don't think so," Margaret said.

"Are you sure we can't convince you to come overseas with us?" Seamus asked. "We'd love to have you."

"Oh goodness," Margaret smiled at him. "I don't think I could get Lewis on a plane."

"This will be the first Christmas I've been without you guys," Gabriel said.

"It's going to be a better Christmas for you than last year," Margaret said softly. Last year, they'd spent the holiday in the waiting room of the hospital.

"Yeah," Gabriel agreed quietly. "A lot's changed since then."

"And you should be with your father," Margaret reassured him. "This is your first Christmas together. We had you for 18 years. It's time for him to have a turn."

"Just know that our door is always open," Seamus said.

"I appreciate that," Margaret said.

"I've got to get going." Seamus told his son. "I'll send a car for you around half past seven, okay?"

"I'll be ready," Gabriel said smiling at him. "Thanks for coming by, Dad."

"Always good to see you," Seamus said to his son.

Margaret walked Seamus out. "Thank you again for inviting him to stay with you over the holidays. It means the world to him."

"I'm glad he wants to come," Seamus said. "I figured he'd want to stick around here."

"He wants to spend it with his father," Margaret said. "And I ...he was so angry when he found out about you and how Sam had held this back from him for so long. And she made me promise that I'd do whatever I could to bring you two together."

"I wish I'd known she was sick," Seamus said. "I'd have done what I could to help out. And I always wish I could have known Gabe sooner."

Margaret nodded. "You know how proud she always was."

Seamus smiled. "I always liked that about her."

"She loved you very much," Margaret said wiping at her eyes.

"I loved her too," Seamus said. "It just wasn't working out- I was gone so much and she didn't want to leave California... I never really stopped caring about her, even though I have Lav."

Margaret gave him a hug. "I'd give anything to have my girl back."

"I wish she was still around too," Seamus hugged her. "I actually think she and Lavender would have gotten along."

Margaret closed her eyes as she remembered the moment her daughter had found out about Seamus' marriage.

***

They'd been outside in the backyard with Gabriel who was playing with some toys. Lewis had gone out front to get the mail.

"He's getting so big, Sam," Margaret said smiling as Gabriel played with his soldiers.

"I know," Samantha said with a sigh. "He's growing up way too fast."

"You can stay as long as you want, you know," Margaret told her daughter. "You know we love having you around."

"I miss you guys," Samantha smiled at her mother. "I wish we lived closer, but right now I have such a great job in Sacramento."

Gabriel crawled over to his mother and held his chubby arms up. "Mama!"

"Hey big guy," Samantha laughed as she picked him up.

Lewis came back carrying that day's mail which he handed off to his wife. "I don't see why you want to read those horrible magazines, Maggie."

"I like to keep informed," Margaret said thumbing through one of the entertainment magazines. "You leave me alone, Lewis. I don't say anything about those baseball magazines you read."

"At least they're about something real," Lewis argued as he sat down in his favourite deck chair. "You can't live through those people in the city Margaret."

"I'm not trying to," Margaret said huffily.

Samantha bounced her son on her knee. "Can you say Grandma, Gabe?"

Gabriel looked solemnly at his mother and gurgled in his throat.

Samantha laughed. "Mom, did you see that? Mom? You look like you've just seen a ghost...what is it?"

Margaret shut her magazine in a hurry. "Your grandfather's right," she said. "These things ARE trash--"

"It's about time you listened to me," Lewis said smugly.

"Did you read something bad?" Samantha asked teasingly. "Your favourite actor get into a fight?"

"Of course not," Margaret replied.

Samantha sat Gabriel back down on his blanket and reached for the magazine. "Let me guess...one of those actresses named their baby something really bizarre..."

"That's right," Margaret laughed weakly. "Samantha I wouldn't--"

The smile on Samantha's face froze as she saw the article that had her mother so upset.

"Hollywood Director Marries Old Flame in Small London Ceremony," Samantha read aloud in a small voice.

"What?" Lewis stopped reading his own paper and looked up.

Samantha felt tears well up in her eyes as she read the rest of the article. It told of how Seamus had reconnected with the 'love of his life' at the place they had first met years ago. A glossy photograph of the happy couple stared back at her.

"Sam, sweetheart," Margaret said softly. "You don't have to read that..."

"He looks happy," Samantha said wistfully.

"What a louse," Lewis said angrily.

"Daddy," Samantha said warningly.

"He left you pregnant and alone and now marries some other bird," Lewis was furious. Gabriel stared up at his grandfather, confused.

"He didn't know I was pregnant, Daddy," Samantha said. "And he has every right to marry anyone he chooses. We're not together anymore."

"He should be supporting you," Lewis continued. "Not making you work two odd jobs all the way upstate."

"He's not making me do anything," Samantha said hugging her son. "And if it wasn't for him, you wouldn't have Gabriel, Daddy."

"Mama," Gabriel said sleepily resting his head on his mother's shoulder.

"Are you ready for a nap, baby?" Samantha asked quietly.

Gabriel looked up at her and gave her a slight smile. He looked so much like his father when he did that, Samantha thought wistfully. She felt a huge wave of guilt wash over her as she thought about keeping her son away from his father.

"Mama," Gabriel reached up to touch her face.

Samantha smiled. "Yes, my sweet boy?"

Gabriel mumbled something unintelligible.

Lewis sighed as he watched Samantha sit back down with Gabriel in her arms. "It's good that he doesn't know, Samantha. He'd probably try and take him away and raise him with that woman."

"Seamus wouldn't do that," Samantha said softly, patting Gabriel's back soothingly.

"He wasn't like that Lewis," Margaret shifted closer to her daughter. "He cared about our Samantha."

"He used her," Lewis said throwing his paper down and stalking back into the house.

A tear fell down Samantha's cheek. "What have I done, Mom?"

"Don't you think on it my darling," Margaret hugged her. "You told me that this was for the best, and you have Gabriel for it."

"Someday I'll tell him about his father and how much I loved him," Samantha said kissing the top of her son's head.

Margaret nodded. "It's always lovely to have you both here. I wish you didn't have to live so far away."

"I want us to have our own place, Mom," Samantha said. "And we're doing well in Sacramento, but don't worry. We'll visit all the time. I promise."

"As long as you're happy," Margaret said firmly. "And Gabriel is happy."

"That's all I want," Samantha said holding him close. "For him to be happy and healthy and safe."

"He does look like him," Margaret touched her sleeping grandson's cheek.

Samantha smiled. "He does. You know if they ever do see each other, I don't think Seamus will have any doubts."

"He does have your smile though," Margaret said fondly.

"You think?" Samantha asked.

"Absolutely," Margaret beamed. "The one that started with your father."

"I can't understand why Daddy never liked Seamus," Samantha said softly.

"I don't know either," Margaret replied. "He always treated you well."

"We just met at the wrong time," Samantha said leaning back in the chair.

"What I liked most about him was how happy he made you," Margaret told her daughter.

Samantha nodded. "I still love him. I know it's crazy. It's been almost three years, but I still...I guess I always held out hope that he'd come back and we'd...we'd raise Gabriel together."

"I'm sorry sweetheart," Margaret's eyes held sympathy.

"That's obviously not going to happen and I can't keep dreaming that it will," Samantha said using her free hand to wipe at her eyes. "Life goes on."

"That's right," Margaret wiped a tear from her daughter's cheek. "You're my strong girl and you'll always land on your feet."

"Much better than landing on my butt," Samantha said with a slight laugh.

"Come on," Margaret got up. "I'm looking forward to that dinner you promised to make for Lewis and me."

"Right," Samantha said standing up carefully so as not to wake Gabriel. "One day, you'll meet him, Gabe. I promise."

***

"Margaret?" Seamus looked at the older woman in concern. "Are you all right?"

Margaret blinked back the tears. "Yes...yes I'm fine. I'm sorry for spacing out on you like that."

"It's all right," Seamus replied. "You sure you're okay though?"

She nodded. "I was just thinking about Sam."

He nodded. "I can't say that we would have gotten back together, but we would have stayed friends if I'd known about Gabriel."

"You should go," Margaret said before making a quick retreat back into the house.

"What?" Seamus was confused about Margaret pulling away so quickly.

"She's sad," he heard someone say. It sounded remarkably like Samantha but when Seamus turned around, no one was there.

"Who's there?" Seamus asked suspiciously.

"You used to talk to yourself when you thought no one was looking," he heard the voice again.

"Yeah well I don't sound like that," Seamus turned around again.

"You haven't spoken to me in quite awhile," she said again. "You remember my voice though, right?"

"Sam?" Seamus asked in a quiet, somewhat disbelieving tone.

He felt a touch on his shoulder. "I miss you...."

He swallowed hard. "I can't see you."

She laughed. "You're not trying hard enough."

Seamus squinted and saw a shimmery form in front of him. He supposed if he was a Muggle, he'd be running away in fright but going to Hogwarts had cured him of being scared of any ghost. "Sam..." he said softly. "You should be talking to Gabriel, not me."

"He's grown up into a fine young man," Samantha said softly. "I watch him all the time."

"He's incredible," Seamus sat down. "Sam I wish I'd known... I wish I had been there before all this."

"I'm sorry," she whispered.

"Don't be," Seamus answered. "He's the best thing to ever happen to me."

"I kept you away from your son," Samantha said sitting down beside him. "I have no excuse for that, Seamus."

"It's all in the past," Seamus said. "All in the past."

Samantha reached for his hand. "Do you ever think about me?"

"Sure I do," he answered.

Samantha rested her head on his shoulder. "You knew, didn't you? When you saw him?"

"I had a feeling," Seamus said. "He looks so much like me."

"It's not just that," Samantha said fondly. "He has so many of your mannerisms. That look of concentration he gets on his face when he's studying...the way his eyes light up when he talks about something he cares about. That's you."

Seamus smiled. "But he's you too."

Samantha laughed. "The stubborn, moody part?"

"I know THAT's not me," Seamus laughed too.

"Of course not," Samantha said dryly. "Because YOU were never stubborn and moody."

"I'm glad you know that," Seamus teased.

"I missed our talks," Samantha said softly.

"I wish things could have been different Sam," Seamus said with a sigh. "I mean... I love Lavender. But you were very special to me as well."

"I never felt for anyone the way I felt about you," Samantha said looking into his eyes. "And because of you, I had Gabriel."

Seamus nodded. "A part of me will always love you Sam. Maybe not as a man loves his wife, but I often thought of you. And once I learned we shared a son..."

"I don't have much time," Samantha whispered. "But will you do something for me?"

"Of course I will," Seamus said quietly.

"Kiss me," Samantha said. "Just one last time."

Seamus leaned forward and felt a cool brush of air against his lips.

Samantha pressed her lips to his and closed her eyes wanting to commit every moment of this to her memory.

"I wish you didn't have to go," Seamus said. "There's so much I'd like to ask you..."

"Like what?" she asked him.

"About Gabriel when he was growing up," Seamus shook his head. "What he was like as a young teenager... what things between you two were like from your perspective..."

"He loved to play sports of any kind, especially soccer and baseball," Samantha said with a smile. "I used to have to make him come inside."

"He's so smart," Seamus said softly. "I can't believe my son's going to be a doctor."

"He sat up with me on the nights when I was in so much pain," Samantha said. "And he never complained, not once. He shouldn't have had to spend his last year of high school worried about me. It was supposed to be the best year of his life."

"I think it was," Seamus replied. "He spent it with you."

Samantha was quiet for a few moments.

"I don't think he regrets a single moment he spent with you Sam," Seamus continued quietly.

"I just wish I'd had more time," Samantha said. "But...but now he has you. I'm so glad he went to you, Seamus."

"So am I," Seamus replied.

"You'll look out for him, won't you?" Samantha asked.

"Always," Seamus promised. "He's a permanent part of my life now."

Samantha smiled. "I have to go, Seamus."

"Come back again if you can," Seamus said.

"I love you," Samantha whispered. "I love you both so much."

"He misses you more than anything else," Seamus said. "You should show yourself to him too. Let him know you're... all right."

"I will," Samantha promised. "Goodbye, Seamus."

"Bye Sam," Seamus watched as she faded away.

"Dad?" Gabriel called out from the porch. "I thought you'd left?"

"Hey," Seamus got up. "I was going to and I got um... sidetracked a bit."

"I hear that's what happens when you get old," Gabriel joked.

"Very funny," Seamus said with a grin. "Wait until you're my age and you'll see."

"That's going to be years and years and years from now," Gabriel said.

"If you say so," Seamus replied.

"Well, since you're still here, how about I ride over with you instead?" Gabriel asked.

"Sure," Seamus said. "I'd be glad for the company. Bloody rush hour here in California and all..."

"And maybe I could drive," Gabriel suggested in an off-hand manner.

"My SUV?" Seamus reacted in mock horror. "Hasn't it seen enough abuse for one day?"

"I'm a much better driver than Nico," Gabriel said. "Come on, Dad. I'll go slowly. I promise."

"I suppose I can trust you," Seamus tossed him the keys.

"Yes!" Gabriel exclaimed catching the keys. "Come on, old guy. Let's get you home."

"Keep it up," Seamus joked. "And you'll find yourself written out of the will."

Gabriel laughed. "Okay, okay...I'll shut up."

"And drive," Seamus said. "I don't want Lav seeing any grey hairs on my head when we're home."

"You sure are moody and stubborn," Gabriel said shaking his head as he got into the car.

"I am not!" Seamus exclaimed indignantly.

"Are too," Gabriel replied.

"If I'm moody and stubborn so are you," Seamus countered, enjoying the banter. "It's inherited from father to son."

"So that's where I got it from?" Gabriel asked.

"The best," Seamus grinned at him as Gabriel backed out of the drive.

DD Cast Interviews: Harry and Hermione

Week 3: Harry and Hermione

Amynoelle: Okay...how long are we supposed to wait for them? They were supposed to be on here about 20 minutes ago.

Heaven: *sighs* I'd bet money on what they're doing right now...

Amynoelle: I could be re-watching Grey's Anatomy right now...

Heaven: I want to be Ellen Pompeo for the first few minutes of Thursday's show... in bed with Chris O'Donnell AND Patrick Dempsey? *dies*

Amynoelle: Me too...and then have McSteamy waiting for you in the bathroom....

Heaven: Stop or I'll have to take a few minutes away from the interview *wink*

Amynoelle: Right....we're supposed to be professional. I mean we're about to interview the best couple ever. How stoked are you?

Heaven: Pretty excited... that is, if they ever GET here!

Hermione: Hello, girls. Sorry we're a bit late. We were...um...well, we were....well something came up.

Harry: Something certainly did.

Hermione: HARRY!

Heaven: Ooookay.... well it's good to have you both here- one of the core couples! Everyone was pretty stoked that we had you two scheduled this week!

Harry: Really? Because I was of the understanding that you two had forgotten about us....

Heaven: You and all the readers. And you DO have a big storyline coming up. Huge, actually. And we think everyone's going to like it. But it's not going to happen for awhile- we have to build up to it first!

Hermione: We trust the two of you.

Amynoelle: Thanks so much. I think you are such a great role model for girls, by the way, Minister Potter. I've admired your character for quite some time. And then in a certain author's book six, you weren't really yourself.

Heaven: Yeah and Harry, you had a monster in your chest. How did that feel?

Harry: Painful. And weird. I don't go for redheads. If I did, I may as well have dated Ron.

Hermione: Well, in this world, things turned out exactly as they were supposed to and for that we're extremely grateful.

Heaven: And how! We've got some great questions for you both! First, Orli Luva wants to know what was it like when you realised Gordon’s true intentions towards you?

Hermione: I haven't thought about him in quite some time. Gordon was someone that I thought of as a good friend. When he came back into my life, I was really happy to see him again. I trusted him because of how great a friend he was to me at Beauxbatons. I wasn't very popular at school and I was more interested in my school work than anything else. I thought I'd found a kindred spirit in Gordon Devereaux. And I was glad to have his friendship back, but when I realised what his true intentions were...I felt like such a fool. I wish I had listened to Harry about it.

Heaven: He was hot, but a real creep!

Harry: I'm going to forget you said that.

Amynoelle: And Coolman wants to know, when your eyes met for the first time in the Hillsdale parking lot, what were your instantaneous feelings?

Harry: I could hardly stop looking at her. I wasn't exactly out for finding a girlfriend, but there was something about Hermione that just sort of drew me in.

Hermione: I felt exactly the same way. I just felt this pull....

Heaven: We both know where you felt that pull.

Amynoelle: We certainly do. Prongshoof has a two-part question for Hermione. First off, was going to Hillsdale the best decision you ever made?

Hermione: Second best. The best decision I ever made was to become Harry's wife.

Harry: Thanks, sweetheart.

Amynoelle: You guys are so sweet. How do you keep the romance in your relationship after all these years?

Harry: Do you really want me to answer that? *winks*

Amynoelle: *Blushes* No. Um, how about we got to the second part of Prongshoof's question? They want to know do you think things would have been different had you gone to Hogwarts, Hermione?

Hermione: Probably... I imagine Harry and I would have been friends, at least I hope so.

Harry: I know we would have been. You'd have fit right in with all of us, Hermione. Just like you did when you were at Hillsdale.

Heaven: I bet you two would have been best friends. I have another question here for Harry from Orli Luva. Is your life (including your family and job) all you wished it to be when you were growing up?

Harry: Most definitely. Growing up as I did, I always told myself that if I ever had children of my own, I'd treat them better than my uncle and aunt treated me. I wanted my kids to know that they were loved and they were wanted and that they would be safe. I didn't get that growing up and I hope that in some way I've given that to Julie, Ethan and Saffron. I have the best family in the world in my humble opinion and I couldn't have done it without Hermione.

Heaven: You both have done a wonderful job. You have three fantastic children. The interview we did with Saffron a few weeks ago was a blast!

Hermione: She told us how much fun that was. Amynoelle: And out of your three children, you know she really is the perfect blend of the two of you. I mean, it's no secret that Ethan is very much a chip off the old block and Julie is very much like Hermione. Saffron is a little bit of both of you.

Harry: She's gorgeous like Hermione, with my temper.

Heaven: I've actually got quite a tricky question for you Harry. Are you ready for this one?

Harry: I'm ready for anything. What's your question?

Heaven: It's from The Great Fox 2000. Harry, suppose all those years and years ago Gordon Devereaux had escaped with Hermione and succeeded in his plan to brainwash her into thinking she loved him. If then, sometime in the future, you came across Gordon, what would you do, knowing that the bond couldn't be reversed and meeting justice upon him would undoubtedly cause the one you love pain?

Harry: *silent for a few moments* Um, whoa... that's....no one has ever asked me a question like that.

Hermione: I'd like to imagine what Harry and I have would have overpowered any spell.

Harry: I don't like to think about things like that, but if that bastard has succeeded in taking away the one I loved most in this world... Amynoelle: Yeah?

Harry: I'd have done anything to turn things around. I'd have found some sort of counter spell to turn her back to normal.

Amynoelle: I have no doubt that you'd find some way to do it. But speaking of Gordon, Hermione....Bra4Goten posed this question to you- As minister, you have access to a lot of things. Do you keep tabs on Gordon? In the back of your mind do you ever worry about him getting out and finding you?

Hermione: Sometimes I have Samuel check up on him, just to... be sure. He's still locked up.

Harry: No one in their right mind would ever let that lunatic out.

Heaven: Right! He's hot, but a psycho.

Amynoelle: Did we mention he looks like Jude Law? *fans herself*

Heaven: Amy's so hot for Jude--

Amynoelle: I have two words for you, Miss Holier-Than-Thou...Sean Biggerstaff.

Heaven: I can't help it. I see a guy in a kilt and I just... um...

Harry: You know, you two always give me a hard time and here you both are barely keeping it in your skirts.

Amynoelle: Okay, okay....moving on....Harry...Rainbow Star wants to know what went through your mind when you found out Gordon had Hermione? And did you think that you'd find her in time?

Harry: I knew I had to find her. There was just no other option for me. It was all I could think about.

Amynoelle: And luckily, you were able to find them in time and save Hermione.

Hermione: And I was so proud of him for figuring out what was going on- how he figured out about the spell Gordon used on the room.

Amynoelle: Coolman also asked weren't the two of you apprehensive about Julie dating Draco Malfoy's son just after having her heart broken? What caused you to trust Nick so much, despite his parents?

Harry: I suppose the fact that Ron and Luna liked him a lot spoke volumes for me. That and he was so eager to get to know everyone. He didn't know he had a family here who cared about him.

Hermione: And the Weasleys embraced him as one of their own without question. We knew how hard it was for Molly to know she had another grandson out there that she had zero contact with. And Nick is so different from Draco Malfoy. He's a great husband to Julie and a wonderful father to Ashley and Katie.

Heaven: Definitely! Nick's always been a nice guy. Shame his parents are such assholes.

Amynoelle: Coolman also had a question about the fact that there doesn't seem to be any secrets between you two. You share every moment of your lives with each other. Well, there is the chair. We would love for you to answer it, but we don't want to clue the readers into a certain storyline.

Hermione: Honesty is very important to us and as for that chair...I know something is going on with that chair and he had better tell me....

Harry: I have no idea what you're talking about. What chair?

Hermione: *Glares at him* Moving on...next question, girls.

Amynoelle: Okay, well one of our readers named Emma wants to know Harry, did you ever think that you wouldn’t be a good father because you never had a good role model to begin with? If so, how did you overcome that?

Harry: I wasn't sure if I would be a good father. I always knew I wanted to treat any children I had the opposite of how the Dursleys treated me. And I knew I could go to Hermione, or even Robert. He was such a great man, and a wonderful grandfather. We all miss him still.

Hermione: I think about him everyday.

Heaven: Saffron has taken it so hard, not to mention Elinore. She's so stubborn about staying in her house.

Amynoelle: She wants to remain independent for as long as she can.

Heaven: Both of them do!

And Emma also wanted to know if Hermione had to win over anyone in your department or the ministry when you first decided to run for minister for magic?

Hermione: I had to win over a lot of the public. They didn't think a woman could run the Ministry.

Amynoelle: Or a Muggle-born, but you sure showed them. And there's something else I wanted to ask you, Hermione. How did you balance out being a mother with being Minister? Your two other children were older when you became Minister, but Saffron was born right in the middle of your term.

Hermione: That certainly wasn't easy. There were times when I actually wanted to give it all up because I didn't think I could handle it. But Saffron was really a good baby. And Greta was a Godsend.

Amynoelle: Has Saffy finally gotten over the fact that Greta left to work for Julie and Nick?

Harry: Just barely. Don't ever bring it up if you don't have to! *laughs*

Heaven: Emma had one more question for you guys. Are you looking forward to the fact that you could have more grandchildren running around in the near future, and does it bother you that they will have some crazy Weasley genes in them?

Hermione: I cannot wait for more grandchildren! We don't want to put any pressure on Ethan and Maddie, but we would love to have more! And I imagine the Weasleys are wondering about those crazy Potter genes. Katie did tell me the most amusing thing about her Uncle Ethan. Some pickup line he used once. It was absolutely horrid!

Heaven: Nick must have taught it to him.

Amynoelle: He couldn't have gotten that one from Harry.

Harry: Of course not. I don't need lines.

Amynoelle: Of course not. Azi, another reader, wanted to know if you had met at Hogwarts, instead of Hillsdale, do you think that you'd still be together today?

Hermione: I'd like to think so. Things would have been different, but I think the same feelings would have been there. And maybe my father would have been more accepting.

Harry: I'd like to think so as well. Hermione's been an important part of my life since I met her, even if I didn't show it so well at first.

Amynoelle: Toinkydoink had a similar first question, but also wanted to pose a "what if" question to you guys. Harry, what if you met Hermione the way you'd met her, but she had a boyfriend at the time (could be Gordon) and was with her family. Would you still have tried to catch her attention?

Harry: Hell yes!

Hermione: *laughs* One of my husband's greatest qualities is that when he wants something, he goes after it full force and tries his hardest. Though, with me, he didn't have to try too hard. I couldn't even remember my name when we first met.

Heaven: That was quite a dance you two had as well! How everything started... with Hermione carrying a watermelon.

Hermione: I still feel my cheeks get pink when I think about it.

Heaven: Lisa and rainbow star both had similar questions. They want to know if you could rewind time and redo something, what would it be?

Hermione: Mine is easy. I would have listened to Harry about Gordon.

Harry: I'm not sure what I would redo. The Gordon thing, most likely. I'd have researched his sorry ass from the beginning and not waited so long. Everything else... the good and the bad, has led to what I have now, which I wouldn't give up for anything.

Hermione: Great answer.

Amynoelle: And Alexa wanted to know if when Paddington & Tippy had puppies, did you guys adopt one like you said you would?

Hermione: Unfortunately, no. We were both so busy at the time that we couldn't really give a puppy our full attention. And we're making up for it with Puddles who is sitting on Saffy's bed right now wishing she was home.

Heaven: Puddles is so cute. I can't wait to make him in the Sims game!

Amynoelle: I want a Puggle! If they weren't so expensive....

Harry: You can take him while Saffy's away...

Amynoelle: And risk having her be angry at me? Um, no thank you. Breathing is one of my most favourite things to do.

Hermione: *laughs* You know our daughter well.

Amynoelle: She's brilliant, but scary. Heaven, we have one last question, right?

Heaven: I believe so. And we saved the best for last. What’s it like being known as the 'Rabbits'?? Do you think its affected your children at all??

Hermione: That name! I wish I could smack Ronald Weasley upside the head every time he says that. We have a healthy sex life is all. And we try not to bring that nickname up in front of our children. We don't want to scar them for life!

Harry: I rather enjoy it. Our children know about it, but it's not like we go at it in front of them.... often.

Hermione: Harry---it's talk like that which earned us that nickname.

Harry: *grins*

Amynoelle: Well, that's it for the reader questions. But we might have one or two to ask you ourselves.

Harry: Shoot!

Amynoelle: Your troubles to conceive caused stress in your marriage. You became pregnant shortly after getting married, Hermione. And then you went many years before finally getting pregnant with Ethan. Can you describe how you felt at that time?

Hermione: Well... I was really quite depressed... finding out about Ethan was such a joy, really. My pregnancy with him was so easy as well.

Harry: It was stressful because we both wanted it so much. And I hated seeing Hermione in so much pain. I felt helpless.

Heaven: But it obviously worked out for the best. And when you found out about Saffron...

Hermione: Our baby. I really am glad that you've shown some flashbacks of her childhood.

Heaven: We wouldn't have had it any other way! She's so much fun!

Harry: When she's behaving herself.

Heaven: Harry be frank with us. What do you REALLY think of Andrew?

Harry: I like him. I went to school with his dad and Andrew seems like a really good kid. Good head on his shoulders. And as long as he never has ...um...you know...with my baby daughter....he and I will get along fine.

Heaven: What about when/If they get married?

Hermione: As long as Saffron is happy that's all that counts. Right, Harry? *silence* Harry?

Harry: Sure...

Amynoelle: We happen to love Andrew. He's so sweet.

Heaven: A total dreamboat!

Amynoelle: And one last question before we let you guys go. Harry, what is something about Hermione that everyone would be surprised to know. And vice versa. And please don't go into anything sexual....

Harry: I resent that remark!

Heaven: Just tell us! And Hermione, perhaps you can do the same for Harry.

Harry: Okay, well my wife is known for her great intellect and the fact that she is an avid reader. But, I bet everyone would be surprised to know...that she actually enjoys reading....romance novels.

Hermione: Harry!

Harry: You do!

Hermione: Once in awhile, I do. They can be very enjoyable!

Heaven: Okay... now you tell us something about Harry. And it can be as embarrassing as you like!

Hermione: *laughs* Well, my husband---brave bloke that he is scared to death of ...clowns.

Heaven: Ew! I can't blame him!

Amynoelle: Me too! Do you remember in the movie Poltergeist when the son gets attacked by that clown doll in his room? Still freaks me out to this day!

Heaven: That's definitely the scariest clown EVER! Second place goes to Pennywise.

Amynoelle: Yes! I had forgotten about him! Stephen King...

Heaven: And Bozo. Unless he's giving you toys. Then he's not scary.

Harry: I am not scared of clowns. I just don't like clowns. Big difference.

Heaven. Sure, Harry.... well I think that about wraps things up.

Amynoelle: Thanks so much for a great interview, you two!

Harry: About time. I need to get my wife home...

Amynoelle: Don't finish that sentence. We know what you're going to do.

Harry: *devilish grin*

Hermione: Good night, ladies!

Heaven: Bye Harry, bye Hermione!

143. 143- and an apology!

I am so, so sorry about not updating last night!! It’s been a busy 3 weeks for me with 3 Homecomings in a row –I (Heaven) work in a floral shop and we’ve been CRAZY! So my apologies for not updating on time, and I made this chapter longer for you guys without the cliffhanger we had planned ;)

Next chapter- HANNAH! :D And don’t forget to send in your questions for Jon and Allie!

The ride home on the train was almost unbearable for both Saffron and Alexa. They were both so eager to see their boyfriends that they were practically jumping onto the platform before the train had stopped.

"It's good to see you'll miss us this holiday," Beth commented jokingly.

"We will miss you," Alexa said giving her roommate a hug. "And I hope you both have a great holiday."

"You have fun with RJ," Mimi grinned.

"And you have fun with Jake," Saffron teased her. "I know he's coming over to your place."

"On Christmas Eve," Mimi said blushing.

"Oooooh," Saffron, Alexa and Beth all chorused.

"In fact, I'm going to go and say goodbye to him now," Mimi said waving at them. "See you in the new year!"

"I have to get someone now," Beth whined. "I feel like the fifth wheel."

"You'll find someone," Saffron assured her. "As soon as you stop mooning over Oliver Wood. I'm glad you two finally stopped thinking he and Julie--"

"I know," Beth said rolling her eyes. "Just friends...and what I have for the headmaster is just a crush."

Alexa giggled as the train finally screeched to a stop.

"FINALLY!" Saffron grabbed her bag. "I really, really, really hope Andrew's here."

"Saffy!" Alexa exclaimed as her friend practically knocked her down to get out of their compartment. "WAIT!"

"She's mad," Beth said. "She's absolutely mad."

"She's in love," Alexa said grabbing her own bag. "I'll see you, Beth. Happy Christmas!"

"Bye Lexie," Beth left at a much slower pace than her two friends.

Saffron spotted Andrew in the crowd and didn't notice her parents. "Andrew!" she squealed launching herself at him.

"Hey Saf," he laughed as she nearly toppled them both over.

"Good to know she missed us," Harry said sarcastically to his wife.

"I know," Hermione said inching closer to husband to keep warm.

"I missed you so, so much," Saffron felt her eyes grow moist. "And I was really hoping you'd be here."

Andrew held her tightly. "I wouldn't have missed it. But I think your parents really want to see you too."

"They're here?" Saffron asked not letting go of Andrew.

Andrew grinned. "Right over there Saf."

Saffron finally let go of Andrew and spotted her mother and father.

"Remember us?" Harry asked as his daughter gave him a hug.

"Yes," Saffron said. "I'm sorry... I was just really excited about seeing Andrew. I've missed you both like mad."

"We missed you too, sweetheart," Hermione said giving her a hug. "Especially Puddles."

"Did you bring him?" Saffron asked as Andrew joined them.

Hermione shook her head. "Your father and I came right from work."

"It's really nice to be home," Saffron said. "This is going to be such a great holiday."

"Andrew, you're welcome to join us at Saffron's grandmother’s house," Harry told the younger man. "We're having a family do over there tomorrow night to decorate the tree."

"Oh you have to come!" Saffron pleaded. "We always have such a great time."

"I'd love to," Andrew said smiling at Saffron's parents. "Thank you, Mr. Potter."

"We'll be glad to have you," Hermione smiled at her daughter's boyfriend.

"Thanks," Andrew said taking Saffron's bag from her.

Saffron sent him a grin. "I still have to get my trunk," she began.

"I'll get that," Harry replied. "Why don't you head on back to the house with Andrew and we'll meet you there?"

"Thanks, Daddy," Saffron said gratefully. "Come on, Andrew."

Andrew wrapped his arm around her shoulders as they left Platform 9 ¾. “I hope Alexa’s not waiting around for RJ,” he said.

"Why?" Saffron asked stopping in her tracks.

"He got called to a meeting," Andrew explained. "He said he rang her parents, but I don't know if he got a hold of them or not."

"Oh," Saffron said quietly. "Well, I suppose that's okay. She's really looking forward to the holiday."

Andrew kissed the side of her head. "I cleared the whole night to spend with you."

Saffron beamed at him. "I'm glad you did that so I can show you how much I missed you."

He laughed. "Perhaps after dinner we can go out for ice cream... and a little you and me time."

"That sounds great," Saffron said. "And I did want to pop into Aunt Lavender's and Uncle Seamus', too. Gabriel's over for the holidays."

Andrew nodded. "We have the next three weeks together. New Year's is going to be a lot of fun."

"Plus we have our first anniversary," Saffron leaned against him.

"First anniversary of what?" Andrew asked innocently.

She poked him in the side. "You know what."

"When we finally got it together, you mean?" Andrew asked. "Now that you mention it, yes I do remember that. Best day of my life actually."

She grinned at him. "Mine too..."

A few minutes later, they arrived back at the Minister's mansion and Saffron squealed with delight when Puddles practically jumped into her arms.

"Oooh, my sweet baby!" Saffron exclaimed hugging him. "I've missed you!"

Puddles enthusiastically licked her face.

"I think he missed you too," Andrew said dryly, setting her bag down.

"I keep asking Headmaster Wood if I can bring him back to school with me and he turns me down flat each time," Saffron said laughing. "Puddles, you have me all to yourself for three whole weeks."

"I hope he knows how to share, just a little." Andrew rubbed the dog's ears.

"He will," Saffron said grinning at him. "Puddles has always liked you."

"At least he gets to sleep in the same bed as you," Andrew joked, only half serious. "I'm jealous of that."

"You certainly could try," Saffron teased. "Daddy wouldn't like it though."

"I definitely don't want to piss off your father," Andrew replied. "But since they're not here, I can welcome you home properly."

"Oh really--" Saffron started to say, but Andrew had pressed his lips to hers cutting off anything she had to say or anything she was thinking about. Puddles squirmed out of her arms and Andrew took the opportunity to pull her closer.

This is what he'd been looking forward to all day. Just being with her all alone, even if it was only for a few minutes.

"Andrew," she whispered.

"Yeah?" he asked huskily.

"I really missed this," Saffron said before kissing him again.

"Me too," he said breathlessly, running his fingers through her unkempt hair.

Saffron wanted nothing more than to pull him down on the sofa, but she heard a pop sound coming from the foyer and she pulled away from her boyfriend hoping her lips weren't too swollen.

"What do you have in this thing, Saffron?" Harry asked as he set the trunk down.

"Everything I own," she answered, quickly straightening out her robes.

"It's just so great to have you home," Hermione said coming into the sitting room.

"I'm glad to be back," she answered. "I really did miss you both."

"We missed you too, sweetheart," Hermione said. "Your grandmother has been looking forward to seeing you."

"How's she been doing?" Saffron asked. "Did she like those books I sent her?"

"She has her good days and her bad days," Hermione said sitting down on the sofa. "But she's always happy to get your letters and she loves those books."

"I can't wait to see her," Saffron said softly as she sat down with Andrew.

"Jon and Allie were wondering if you'd be interested in babysitting a couple of times in the next week," Hermione said. "They need to do some last minute shopping..."

"Yes!" Saffron answered immediately. "Adam, too? He is sooooooooooo adorable!"

"Adam too," Harry said with a grin. "You should see Caroline and Emma with him."

Saffron grinned. "I'll owl them later tonight to let them know I’m free."

"I want to hear all about school," Hermione told her daughter. "I'd also like to hear about Oliver Wood from a student's perspective."

Saffron groaned. "Just don't ask Mimi or Beth. All they could tell you about are the colour of his eyes or how his robes hang just right over his--"

"Saffron!" Harry exclaimed.

"Well, it's the truth!" Saffron said laughing.

"He is rather handsome," Hermione said thoughtfully.

"Hermione!" Harry turned to his wife, making Andrew laugh.

"I bet he'd never keep secrets from his wife," Hermione said.

"What are you talking about?" Saffron asked.

"Your father has this secret that only Ethan knows about and he refuses to tell me what it is," Hermione said.

"And your mother is overreacting as usual," Harry chimed in.

"I am not overreacting," Hermione informed him. "I just like to know--"

"Everything," Harry finished for her.

Saffron giggled. "Come on Mum, it's not like you, me and Jules don't have our own secrets."

"Such as?" Harry asked pointedly.

"Girl stuff," Saffron replied. "Things you really, really don't want to know Dad."

"Andrew, do you know about this stuff?" Harry asked Andrew who shifted uncomfortably in his seat.

"Uh, not really..." he said lamely.

"How about we get something to eat for the kids?" Hermione suggested pulling on her husband's arm.

"Fine," Harry agreed. "Saffy, did you want to eat in or have us take you out for dinner? Or have you made plans with Andrew?"

"We kind of made plans, Daddy," Saffron said. "If that's okay...”

"Long as you set aside at least one night for us," Harry teased her. He wanted to protest and have his daughter stay at home but he knew how much she wanted to be with her boyfriend.

"You'll get more than one night, I promise," Saffron said.

Hermione excused herself to get some hot chocolate for her daughter and Andrew with Harry right on her heels.

"It's been two weeks, Hermione," Harry said pleadingly.

"For what?" she asked in her most innocent tone.

"You know what," Harry said. "The last time we went this long was right before our wedding..."

"Is that so?" Hermione replied. "Where did you put the hot chocolate?"

"In the cabinet above the stove," Harry said rolling his eyes. "Hermione..."

"Yes?" she turned around and smiled pleasantly at him.

"It's just a nothing little secret," Harry argued.

"I'm sure it is," Hermione said, still in a pleasant tone.

"You know, you're being really hypocritical," Harry complained. "I don't ask you to tell me what goes on between you, Julie and Saffron."

"Um, yes you do," Hermione said scooping some of the hot chocolate mix into the mugs.

"Only if I think it's really important," Harry crossed his arms.

"If this is such a nothing little secret, you should tell me and be done with it," Hermione said. "Otherwise..."

Harry glared at his wife.

"Do we still have some of those biscuits Greta sent over?" Hermione asked.

Harry said nothing, simply sat down at the table.

Hermione shook her head as she went over to one of the cupboards to retrieve the biscuit tin.

Harry stretched out, putting his hands behind his head as he stared wordlessly at his wife.

"We have gone longer than a fortnight," Hermione reminded him as she placed some biscuits on a plate.

Harry raised his eyebrows at her.

"We have," Hermione said. "And you survived."

Harry began to hum a song he knew would annoy his wife.

"You know how I detest that song," Hermione said quietly.

Harry only hummed it louder.

"Really mature," Hermione said glaring at him as she picked up the tray of food and mugs of hot chocolate. "Really, really mature, Harry."

Harry smiled at her without stopping.

"Two can play at that," Hermione said before carrying the tray out of the kitchen. And so Harry would hear, she called out, "Saffron, you must tell me more about the new Headmaster..."

Harry followed her out to the sitting room, still humming.

"He's pretty cool," Saffron was sitting close to Andrew and it was fairly obvious they'd been snogging while Harry and Hermione were in the kitchen. "A lot of the girls go mad when he's around, but he's been really nice about it."

"I can certainly see why," Hermione said with a grin.

"Dad---why are you humming THAT song?" Saffron asked.

"He's trying to annoy me," Hermione cast him a glare.

"And it's working," Harry said in a smartass tone.

"No, it's not," Hermione said defensively.

"Yes it is," Harry shot back.

Saffron rolled her eyes. "You two are being so mature."

Andrew laughed, but earned glares from Saffron's parents. He quickly grabbed a biscuit and popped it into his mouth.

"What's this about?" Saffron asked. "You seemed fine at the station..."

"It's nothing," Hermione covered. "Your father is a stubborn mule."

"That's rich coming from you," Harry retorted.

"I beg your pardon?" Hermione shot back. "If you weren't keeping secrets from me--"

"Merlin's beard, Hermione!" Harry nearly shouted. "It's one bloody secret and in the great scheme of things, it doesn't matter!"

Saffron looked with wide eyes. "Um... Andrew and I are going to take Puddles for a quick walk, okay?"

"Great idea," Andrew said standing up.

The two teenagers beat a hasty exit outside. "What's that all about?" he asked his girlfriend.

"I have no idea," Saffron said as she shut the door behind her. "They hardly ever have a row."

"I hope they'll be all right," Andrew said.

"I'm sure they will," Saffron said. She led the way toward the garden which was her favourite part of her home.

Andrew squeezed her hand. "I can't believe you're home," he grinned at her.

"Me too," Saffron said leaning against him.

He kissed the side of her head. "For our anniversary I'm taking you to the nicest restaurant I can afford."

"Andrew!"

"What?" he asked.

"That's so sweet," Saffron said softly.

"You're my girl," Andrew replied.

"Always," Saffron said smiling up at him. "You really are the best boyfriend if I do say so myself."

Andrew laughed. "You're the best girlfriend then."

They walked along the cobblestone path to the garden just happy to be in each other's company once again. That was one of the many things Saffron loved about him--how they could be together like this and not have to say a word to know exactly how they were feeling.

Puddles walked ahead of them sniffing along the ground.

"What are you looking for little guy?" Andrew asked when Puddles stuck his nose into some bushes.

Puddles used his paw to free an old rubber ball from the bushes and Saffron laughed.

"I wondered where that had gotten to," she giggled. "That's his favourite."

"Looks like it was loved," Andrew picked it up and touched his wand to it, cleaning all the dirt off.

Saffron grinned at her boyfriend. "See? You are absolutely perfect."

"Yeah, yeah..." Andrew shook his head. "Some people say I'm too easygoing."

"I like you just as you are," Saffron said picking up the ball and throwing it for Puddles.

"Just like?" he teased as Puddles tore after the ball.

"Lurve," Saffron corrected.

"Better," he pulled her to him and kissed her hungrily.

Saffron snaked her arms around his waist and kissed him back just as urgently.

She was making little mewling sounds in her throat that made his body tighten and he tried to pull her even closer.

Puddles had returned with the ball and was yelping at her feet, but Saffron couldn't see or think about anyone else but Andrew.

"Saf..." Andrew said breathlessly. "Damn..."

Saffron could only nod in agreement before Andrew kissed her again.

He didn't want to stop kissing her. If they could have stayed out there in the garden the rest of their lives and just kissed, he'd have been happy.

"We---we---we should probably---" Saffron stammered.

"Okay," Andrew said. "Sorry Saf... I know that was a bit intense."

Saffron shook her head. "No need to apologise. That was amazing."

"You are amazing," Andrew smiled at her.

Saffron smiled back. "Maybe they've cooled off inside..."

"Are you hungry?" Andrew asked. "We could head out for something to eat after taking Puddles back in."

"I'd love that," Saffron said. "And I wanted to ring Lex to see how she made it home."

"Sure," Andrew pecked her one last time. "Come on Puddles! Time for a treat buddy?"

Puddles was happy for the attention and Saffron giggled as Andrew took off in a jog toward the house.

She watched her boyfriend as he ran with her dog. Saffron knew how lucky she was to have a guy like Andrew love her as much as he did.

Saffron walked back into the house to see her mother flipping through a magazine. Her father was nowhere in sight. "Where's Daddy, Mum?"

"Work," Hermione said briskly.

"He went to work?" Saffron was confused. "But--"

Hermione set the magazine aside and forced a smile for her daughter's benefit. "He'll be home later."

"Are you guys okay?" Saffron asked. "You two never fight, especially like that."

"He's just being a stubborn mule," Hermione said quietly.

"About what?" Saffron sat down next to her.

"Some stupid secret that he's got," Hermione said rolling her eyes. "I asked him to tell me what it was, but he's refused. And so, I've---well, it's not important."

Saffron bit her lower lip. "Well... don't you think if it's an important secret he'd tell you? It's probably just some nonsense."

"Well, yes, but --" Hermione started to argue.

"Come on Mum," Saffron replied. "But we all keep little secrets. It's not that big a deal is it?"

"I suppose not," Hermione reluctantly admitted.

"You know Dad would never keep anything crucial from you," Saffron leaned against her mother. "He loves you too much."

Hermione put an arm around her. "You're too smart, Saffy."

"Like you," Saffron said impishly.

"I should probably go and apologise to him," Hermione said thoughtfully.

"He's going to love that," Saffron replied. "Might even make you kiss his feet."

"Will you be okay on your own?" Hermione asked getting to her feet.

"Mum I'm almost seventeen," Saffron rolled her eyes.

"Right," Hermione apologised. "Well, you have fun with Andrew and I'll see you later tonight, okay?"

"Okay," Saffron hugged her mother. "I love you."

"I love you too, sweetheart," Hermione said touching her cheek.

"Go make up with Dad," Saffron grinned. "And tell him I was the one who got you to do it."

"Yes ma'am," Hermione said grabbing her bag and heading for the fireplace. A few minutes later, she arrived just outside of Auror headquarters.

Since she was Minister, she had automatic clearance anywhere within the Ministry building and she breezed through all security spells.

She knocked on Harry's door.

"Yes?" he grumbled in response.

"Can I come in?" she called.

He looked up from his paperwork at the sound of his wife's voice. "Hermione?"

She cracked the door open. "Hi..." she said softly.

He expected her to come in ready to get back to where they'd left off with him angrily stalking out of the house.

"Can I come in?" Hermione asked again.

"Yeah," he replied warily.

She came inside and closed the door behind her. "I'm sorry," she began.

"You've changed your mind?" he asked in amazement.

"Believe it or not, our daughter talked some sense into me," Hermione replied.

Harry finally smiled. "It really is a nothing little secret, Hermione."

"You wouldn't keep it from me if it was important, right?" Hermione sat down on the edge of his desk.

"You know I wouldn't," Harry said resting his hand on her knee.

Hermione smiled at him. "I'm sorry," she said again. "It's just that stubborn streak in me."

Harry smiled back. "Most of the time I like that stubborn streak."

"I'm sure you do," Hermione shook her head.

"It really is nothing," Harry said his hand inching underneath her skirt.

"Your desk is awfully messy," Hermione said. "How am I supposed to lie down with all these papers here?"

With a wave of his other hand, the papers and files fell to the floor. Right now, he could care less about what order they were in or what they contained.

"That's more like it," she purred, hiking her skirt up a bit higher.

"It's been quite awhile since we did it in here," Harry said huskily.

"You're usually randy in my office, that's why," Hermione said softly.

"That's true," Harry said his thumbs looping in the waistband of her knickers.

She arched her back as he pulled them off her.

It had been a very long two weeks, Harry thought as he fumbled with his belt.

"I've got that," Hermione winked at him.

"Be my guest," he said grinning at her.

Expertly, she pulled his belt off and tugged his trousers down. "Harry Jr has been missing me hasn't he?"

"You have no bloody idea," Harry said already at his breaking point.

"Come on then," she said, pulling him down on top of her.

Harry didn't waste anytime with foreplay as he thrust into her with one deft motion.

"Mmmmmmm..." Hermione's eyes nearly rolled back into her head. "Harry..."

He kissed her neck. "Hermione..."

"Hmmm?" she couldn't even speak properly.

"I've missed you," he breathed against her neck.

"I know," she said breathlessly. "I've missed you too..."

He remembered all too soon that he hadn't put a silencing charm on the office, but he didn't really care if anyone heard.

Hermione bit down hard on her lower lip as she arched her back up high.

"Merlin, Hermione," Harry groaned.

"Harry..." she breathed. "Oh Harry.... you are.... "

"You," Harry said before kissing her hard on the lips. It had been such a long time since they'd been together like this and he couldn't get enough of her.

Hermione held him close to her. "Why do I think I can go without this?"

He laughed. "I don't know, but let's never go this long again, okay?"

"Okay," Hermione agreed.

He kissed her again. "I really would tell you if it was anything major, Hermione."

"I guess you and Ethan have got to have your secrets," Hermione said. "And you're right; Jules, Saffy and I have ours..."

"Right," Harry agreed brushing back the hair from her forehead.

"Tonight..." Hermione kissed him. "Tonight we'll make up for lost time."

Harry stood up and then offered his wife a hand. "Lots of lost time."

"You want to leave now?" she asked, straightening out her skirt.

"I really did have the afternoon off," Harry said sheepishly. "I just came in after we had that horrible row..."

"I see," Hermione smiled. "Well by all means... take me home Potter."

Harry laughed. "Let me get dressed first."

"We could really create some scandal if we went out like this," Hermione said in a lusty tone.

"Can you imagine?" Harry asked before giving his wife another kiss. He couldn't resist when she looked at him like that.

"Almost makes me want to do it," Hermione laughed as he pulled his clothes on.

Harry grinned. "I love making up with you."

"It's almost worth fighting over," Hermione put her arms around him.'

"Almost," Harry said softly. "Now, let's get you home..."

"And undressed," she kissed him lightly. "In bed..."

"All of the above," Harry chuckled.

CHAPTER ONE HUNDRED FORTY FOUR

"Finding anything in there?" Brian asked as he helped himself to another piece of pizza. Drew was looking through a book of baby names. They had decided not to find out what the sex of the baby was.

"What do you think of Beatrice?" Drew asked thoughtfully.

Brian made a face. "No way."

"Jemima?" Drew asked.

"Isn't that a syrup?" he asked, wolfing down another slice of pizza.

Drew laughed. "So that's a no to Jemima then...okay...let's see...Corinne?"

"That might be kind of cute," Brian mused. "But I don't know... it just seems sort of ordinary."

"There's a chapter in here of unique names," Drew said thumbing through the book. "Apple?"

Brian nearly choked on his pizza. "You've got to be kidding me!"

"You said you wanted unique," Drew laughed at him. "Here..." she pushed her glass of soda towards him.

"Is this your subtle way of saying you'd like a refill?" Brian asked.

"No," Drew said. "You looked like you were about to start choking."

Brian took a swig of her drink. "Thanks."

Drew grinned at him. "Let's see... if we had a boy... we could name him Blade." she laughed. "Blade McGregor."

"That sounds like a character out of an action film," Brian said shaking his head.

Drew was still giggling. "Boxer... Burr... Keveen?"

"Drew," Brian said rolling his eyes. "Keveen?"

"It's what they have written here!" Drew showed him the book.

Brian grabbed the book from her. "Were these people on drugs when they named their children?"

"Must have been," Drew sat back and took a bite of her own slice of pizza, rubbing her protruding stomach with her other hand.

"Let's go back to the semi-normal section," Brian asked looking in the boy names chapter. "Nathan?"

"Nathan McGregor," Drew mused. "I like that..."

"Nathan goes on the possible list then," Brian said.

"Let's start writing all these names down," Drew reached over for a piece of parchment and a quill.

Brian nodded. "What do you think of Benjamin?"

"It's okay," Drew bit her lower lip.

"That's a no," Brian said. "Brendan? It means 'Little Raven'."

Drew laughed. "That's cute!"

"Put it on the list," Brian said smiling at her.

"All right," Drew wrote it down. "You know what name I've always liked? Braedon."

"Braedon?" Brian asked. "I like that."

"It means broad or brave," Drew wrote it down. "And it sounds nice with our last name."

"It does," Brian agreed. "So....we've got the boy name covered. And if it's a girl...what would you think of Chloe?"

"I love it," Drew said.

"This naming babies is a piece of cake," Brian said grabbing another slice of pizza.

"Especially if you want to go through unique names..." Drew pulled the book closer to her. "Who would name their baby Anemone?"

Brian guffawed. "Not us."

"Or there's Calyx," Drew continued. "Carnelian... Freesia, Laquan, Quantiko--"

"Stop the madness!" Brian exclaimed taking the book from her.

"Brian," Drew laughed as he moved next to her. "Don't you like those unique names?"

"Do you want our little girl or boy to grow up and be made fun of?" Brian asked her.

"Of course not," Drew smiled. "But you were the one who wanted unique names."

"There's a fine line being strange and unique," Brian pointed out.

"Very true," she leaned over and gave him a kiss. "Well whoever we have in there, he or she is kicking up quite a storm tonight."

"She or he's kicking you for thinking of those horrid names," Brian said.

"He or she is quite safe," Drew leaned against him. "I'd never give them such a horrid name."

"You picked a great one for Hope," Brian said softly.

Drew smiled. "Thanks..." she said quietly.

"You okay, sweetheart?" Brian asked her.

"I just think about her every day," Drew said as he stroked her hair back. "It's like I still miss her, but the pain isn't as bad. And sometimes that makes me feel guilty."

"That's what happens with time," Brian said softly. "She wouldn't want you to be sad all the time, Drew. She wants you to be happy."

"I hope so," Drew replied. "You know what else?"

"What?" Brian asked kissing the top of her head.

"I think you would have been a perfect father for her," Drew said softly. "And she would have loved you as much as I do."

Brian smiled at her. "I would have treated her like my own, Drew."

Drew pressed her lips together as tears welled in her eyes.

Brian held her in his arms, not sure of what to say.

"I'm so glad you were at that Christmas party," Drew buried her face in his chest. "So glad you came over and asked me to dance..."

"Me too," Brian whispered. It had been the best decision he'd ever made. "I spent the first hour of that party trying to work up the nerve to do it, you know?"

"Really?" Drew smiled through her tears.

"Yes," Brian said with a laugh. "You know I even went into the loo and practised what I'd say in the mirror?"

That made her giggle. "And it all paid off. I thought you were so sweet... not to mention incredibly good looking."

"Well, you know..." Brian said smugly.

Drew hit his shoulder. "You're so smarmy."

"There's a unique name," Brian said chuckling. "Smarmy McGregor."

That made Drew laugh harder. "I think we have a winner!"

"Smarmy Git McGregor," Brian announced.

"Eh," Drew said. "Smarmy Git reminds me too much of that other guy..."

"He Who Must Not Be Named Part Deux," Brian said giving her shoulder a squeeze.

Drew nodded. "Perfect for him." she gave him another kiss. "I think I came out on top. I'm marrying this wonderful guy and having his child. I don't know if it could get much better than that."

Brian grinned. "No, it doesn't."

They both heard the sound of Darla's bedroom door opening and a few moments later saw Darla walk out of the room and into the kitchen clad in her dressing gown.

"Evening," Drew called to her sister. "Or is it already morning for you two?"

Darla jumped. "Merlin's beard, Drew! You scared me half to death!"

"We're sitting right here," Drew was amused. "Hardly hiding out like you and Hans..."

"We were not hiding out," Darla said defensively. "Ooh! You've got pizza!"

Brian chuckled. "Help yourself."

"Thanks," Darla said going into the kitchen to get a plate.

"Snookums, where are you?" they heard Hans call out.

"Snookums?" Drew mouthed to Brian.

"I'm coming!" Darla called out and glared at her twin who was snickering behind her hand. "Sod off Drew, or I'll tell everyone Brian's pet name for YOU!"

"Mighty tetchy, aren't we?" Drew said grinning at her sister.

"No," Darla grabbed several slices of pizza and piled them onto the plate and in her other hand she held an unopened bottle of white wine. "Just starving."

"For luuuuuuurve?" Drew drawled dramatically.

"That too," Darla smirked before heading back to her bedroom.

“Hey wait,” Drew called after her. “I’ve got a question for you.”

Darla turned around. "What is it?"

"Brian and I were looking up names for the baby," Drew cast her fiancé a sly look. "And we want your opinion on a few of them."

"Oooh!" Darla asked eagerly. "What have you come up with?"

"Calyx," Drew answered with a straight face. "Or Anemone?"

Darla stared at her sister trying to see if she was serious. "Um...well, it's...it's....different..."

Drew nodded. "What about Laquan?"

Brian decided to join in. "Or Pomegranate. Has a real earthy quality to it, doesn't it? We could call her Pommy."

"That's adorable!" Drew squealed, trying not to laugh at the look on her twin's face.

"It sure is," Brian said picking up the book and trying to keep his composure. "You know this book also recommends using the place the baby was conceived as a name... where were we when that happened?"

"Might have been in the bath," Drew nodded. "So we could call him or her Bath McGregor, or Loo McGregor..."

"Drew Weasley, you most certainly will not!" Darla exclaimed.

Drew couldn't hold it in any longer. "I couldn't help it!" she laughed. "The look on your face!"

Drew glared at her. "I hate you both!"

"No you don't," Drew laughed. "Because you know you get to be the godmother."

"Really?" Darla asked.

"Who else would it be?" Drew asked. "But for real, we were thinking the name Braedon if it's a boy and Chloe for a girl."

"I love both of them," Darla said smiling at her sister.

"Great," Drew grinned.

"I still can't believe you're going to be moving out of here," Darla said forgetting for the moment about Hans. "We've lived together all of our lives and now..."

"It does feel a bit weird," Drew agreed softly.

"Not a bit," Darla corrected. "Really, really weird."

"Right," Drew smiled. "But we'll still live really close."

"Yeah, but it won't feel the same," Darla said sadly.

"I know," Drew got up and hugged her sister. "But we'll still be the best of friends Dar. That'll never, ever change."

"I know," Darla said hugging her sister back. "Things are changing for the better, but it's still...hard, you know?"

"We could all live together," Brian joked, trying to lighten the moment. "Especially if you and Hans jumped on the ball and had a kid. Then we could have our own pseudo Brady Bunch, like that Muggle show."

Darla looked at him as if he'd suddenly sprouted another head. "Um, no."

Brian laughed. "Did that scare you off Dar?"

"Just a little," Darla admitted. "That's a little too much togetherness."

"Snookums!" Hans called out again. "What are you doing?"

"Talking to Brian and Drew," Darla called back.

"Get back in here already!" Hans replied.

"You'd better go, Snookums," Drew teased.

"Very funny," Darla picked up her pizza and wine again. "Maybe I'll leave the silencing charm off this time."

"Well, Dad did mention he was going to stop by," Drew said sweetly. "I'm sure he'd love to hear what you're up to...”

"Not buying it," Darla left the sitting room and headed for her bedroom. "Sorry baby."

Hans grinned lazily at her. "I thought you'd left me."

"As if I ever could," Darla held out the plate. "I got us something to work off."

"That's my girl," Hans said taking the plate from her.

Darla uncorked the wine and poured it into the two goblets they were using. "You make me hungry."

Hans smiled. "I do my best."

Darla gave him a thorough kiss before handing him one of the goblets.

"Mmmm," Hans said huskily. "Get back in here with me. You're too far away."

Darla did as he said, pressing her lips back to his as she slid under the covers with him. "I love nights like this," she said softly. "Staying in with you..."

"I say we never go out again," Hans said after taking a sip from the goblet.

Darla laughed. "If we stay in bed like this, I'm okay with that."

"And it's a great workout," Hans said thoughtfully.

"Damn right it is," Darla took a huge bite of her pizza.

"So," Hans said. "I was thinking that perhaps we could spend Christmas with my parents this year...."

"Christmas Day?" Darla asked. "I thought we'd be at my parents' house that morning."

Hans set his goblet on the bedside table. "My parents invited us both, Darla."

"I know but it's Adam's first Christmas and I want to be there for it," Darla objected.

"He's just a baby," Hans said. "It's not as if he'll remember it...what?"

"My family has ALWAYS been there for a first Christmas," Darla said. "I'm not missing it Hans."

"And I'm supposed to miss my family's Christmas then?" Hans asked her incredulously.

Darla sighed and flopped back onto the pillows. "Looks like we need to talk about this."

"You act sometimes as if you're family is the only one that matters, Darla," Hans said quietly.

"I do not!" she exclaimed.

"You do," Hans retorted.

"Says you," Darla returned. "I've told you time and again how important my family is to me and you always said you understood."

Hans sighed. "I do understand. Look, I know my family's not as close as yours, but they are important to me too."

Darla softened. "What about if we spend the morning with one family, and part of the afternoon and dinner with the other?"

"Compromise," Hans said relaxing. "I suppose that could work."

Darla smiled at him. "I think that'll have to work."

"So the only question now is who we spend the morning with and who get the afternoon and evening," Hans said.

"I'm okay with either," she said softly, curling up next to him.

Hans put his arm around her. "I'm sorry for saying that about Adam."

"We do bring out each other's tempers don't we?" Darla asked with a little smile.

"Just a little," Hans said with a laugh.

"So how about morning with your family, and then around mid afternoon we'll come over to my parents' house for dinner?" Darla asked. "Does that work for you?"

"That could work," Hans replied. "And I really would like to get to know your dad more. He keeps calling me that prissy model..."

Darla laughed. "I think he's just teasing you."

"He said that when I wasn't in the room and he was talking with your mum," Hans pointed out.

"Well once he gets to know you he won't call you that anymore," Darla said. "I'm not letting you go anywhere, so he's got to get used to the fact that you're stuck with me."

"And someday we might have some modelettes of our own," Hans said with a laugh.

"You think?" Darla asked with a giggle. "You know you're going to have to marry me first."

Hans pulled back the covers and stepped out of bed. Darla stared at him wondering if she'd overstepped her bounds by bringing up marriage, but he'd just mentioned babies.

He rooted around in his overnight bag and pulled something out. "If I'm going to do that, you might need this..."

"Hans?" she asked, a lump in her throat.

He walked back over to the bed and handed her the small blue box. "Just a little something I picked up in New York."

Darla took the box and cracked it open with a shaking hand. "HANS!"

"I was going to wait until Christmas," Hans said smiling at her. "But, I was wondering if perhaps you might want to do me the honour of marrying me?"

"YES!" Darla screamed, throwing her arms around him.

Hans laughed as he hugged her tightly.

"I can't believe this," Darla sobbed. "You got such a beautiful ring! And we're going to get married. I can't BELIEVE we're going to get married!"

"You really like it?" Hans asked her softly.

"I love it," Darla wiped her eyes as he slid the ring onto her finger. "It's the most beautiful ring I've ever seen."

Hans kissed her. "You want to go and tell Drew, don't you?"

She laughed. "You know me too well."

Hans picked up his discarded t-shirt and put it back on. "Let's go..."

Drew heard her sister's door open again. "I thought you were kidding about the silencing charm," she joked as her sister and Hans appeared.

Darla couldn't speak so she held out her hand so her sister could see the ring.

"DARLA!" Drew squealed.

"Congratulations mate," Brian said extending his hand to Hans.

"Thanks," Hans said with a broad grin.

"You know what this means, don't you?" Drew asked her sister. "Double wedding!"

"Oooh," Darla's eyes brightened. "That would be perfect for us!"

Drew hugged her sister. "You remember how we used to plan it when we were little?"

"Except it was going to be triple wedding with Maddie," Darla agreed with a grin.

"We're too late for that," Drew replied as Hans and Brian exchanged amused glances. "But a double wedding was always what I pictured for us."

"Me too," Darla said happily. "And we can plan it ourselves!"

"What about us?" Hans hugged her from behind. "Don't we get any say in this?" he teased.

"You just show up and look handsome," Darla said leaning against him.

"I can do that," he gave her a kiss.

144. 144- Jon and Allison interview!

Well here is the chapter almost all of you have been waiting for! ALLLLLLL Hannah, Frankie and Will! Also at the end, we have the Jon and Allison interview- which you guys sent in fabulous questions for! Next week, Ron and Luna are up. So make sure you start sending them in!!!

Frankie had spent the past half hour sitting in the cold visitor room with David Wright. He might have thought he was talking to his daughter, but only two other people knew who the little girl sitting there really was.

He was currently leering at her, and it wasn't hard for Frankie to make her revulsion look like fear.

"I should have taken care of you when I killed your mum," David said bitterly. "You were more trouble than you were ever worth. To tell you the truth, I'm not even sure if you were mine."

Frankie now shook with anger as well as disgust. She had to force herself to remain silent and only let a few tears slip from her eyes.

"You're nothing but a waste of time," David said leaning back in his chair. "And I'm more than ready to be done with you."

You are done with her, Frankie thought hatefully.

"And don't think that those people are going to keep you for long either," David said. "They're going to tire of your simpering and your sobbing and your whining."

"They love me," Frankie said in Hannah's quiet voice.

David leaned in. "No one could ever love you, you freak."

Frankie's lower lip trembled and she finally raised her head and stared straight at the man who had terrorized the poor four year old.

"You gonna cry?" David taunted.

She bit her lower lip and looked over towards the mirror where she knew Will and Mrs. Roman were watching.

The guard tapped on the door. "Time's up, Wright."

"Awwww," David said sarcastically. "I'll never get to see my daughter again. Can't I have a few more minutes?"

"Now," the guard barked.

Frankie had never been so relived in her life to stand up and walk away from someone.

Will was waiting with open arms as she came out of the room.

"I just barely got out of there in time," Frankie said as she started to change back into herself.

"I know," Will said. "Mrs. Roman had to restrain me a few times. I wanted to take his face off."

"He's a horrible, horrible man." Frankie shivered. She pulled her cloak around her as they waited. A few minutes later, Mrs. Roman had in her hands the signed papers enabling them to formally adopt Hannah.

"Does this mean she can stay with us now?" Frankie asked the woman.

Mrs. Roman nodded. "All that remains now is the judge giving the okay, but I don't see that being a problem now that we have this."

Frankie squealed and before she could stop herself, hugged Mrs. Roman. "Thank you!" she said happily.

"You're quite welcome," Mrs. Roman said smiling at the younger woman. "You did an amazing thing today, Mrs. Barron."

"I'm just so glad it's over with," Frankie said as Will rubbed her arms. "Just the thought of him ever getting to lay his hands on her again..."

"He never will," Will said solemnly. "She's ours now and there's nothing he can do about it."

"Right," Frankie felt tears well up in her eyes. "Oh Will, she's really ours now. Hannah's our daughter!"

Mrs. Roman smiled at the young couple. She couldn't have been happier for them and for Hannah. That little girl had been through so much in her young life and she deserved a chance at happiness.

"I'll just go and deliver these papers," Mrs. Roman said. "I'll come by with the adoption papers later this evening."

"Fantastic," Frankie said. "We'll probably have Luna bring Hannah over right away."

"Let's get home then," Will said squeezing his wife's hand.

"Right," she agreed. "Thanks again Mrs. Roman."

"It was my pleasure," Mrs. Roman said smiling at her.

Frankie could hardly contain her excitement when they got home. "Should we pick out a bedroom for her or let her pick the one she wants?" she asked her husband.

"We should let her pick it out," Will replied. "You saw how excited she was at the prospect of doing that."

"Right," Frankie nodded. "And I'm so glad we had the foresight to get her all those Christmas gifts. Although tomorrow, I think we should take her out and let her pick out the furniture she'd like to have in there."

"For once, I am going to enjoy going shopping," Will said grinning at her. "Do you want to owl Luna or shall I?"

"I'll do it," Frankie said. "I'm going to tell her not to say anything yet. I want to surprise Hannah when she comes here."

"Okay," Will said grinning at her. "I'm going to ring my parents and tell them the good news."

Frankie hugged him tightly and laughed when he whirled her around the kitchen.

"We're parents," Will said happily. "Can you believe it?"

"No," Frankie said. "And yes... I've just been waiting so long that I can't believe this has finally happened."

Will cupped her face in his hands. "I love you so much and you're going to make a great mum, Frankie."

"I love you too," Frankie gave him a hungry kiss.

"Wow," Will said breathlessly when they pulled apart. "Go and write that letter..."

"Okay," she said happily.

Frankie set about writing her letter and she used their old reliable owl and urged him to hurry. She couldn't wait to see her daughter.

"Mum and Dad are delighted," Will came back into the kitchen. "They can't wait to have us all over for dinner to welcome her into the family."

"Fantastic," Frankie said beaming at him. "Hopefully Luna will bring Hannah by straightaway once she gets our owl."

"I'm sure she will," he said, hugging his wife again.

"I need to ring my parents to tell them the news too," Frankie said. "And Allie and Chi."

"You go do that and I'll let you know when Luna brings Hannah over." Will gave her a kiss.

"Okay," Frankie said dashing out of the room and making her way to their shared home office. She picked up the phone and dialled the number to her mother's studio.

"Chang Studio of Dance," Allison's voice drifted over the line.

"Allie!" Frankie exclaimed, unable to contain her excitement. "She's ours. Hannah's really and truly ours!"

"Frankie?" Allison asked. "The father finally signed?"

"He did," Frankie said explaining how they'd gone about getting the signature.

"Wow," Allison was impressed. "Frankie what you did was incredible!"

"It was horrible," Frankie said remembering the horrible things David had said to her when she was "Hannah". "But there was no way we were going to let her go through that. We'd promised her that she'd never have to see him again."

"She's going to be so happy when she hears about this," Allison said. "And I'm so happy for you and Will."

"We're waiting for her to get here," Frankie said softly. "Oh, Allie...I'm a mum."

Allison laughed. "Yes you are... and you know if you need help for anything, you can come to me or Chiaki."

"Thanks," Frankie said. "I'm going to take you both up on that."

"Mum's just finishing up a class," Allison said. "Let me get her on the line for you."

Frankie twirled the cord around her finger as she waited for her mother to get on the line.

"Frankie?" Cho asked.

"Mum!" Frankie exclaimed. "It's almost official! Hannah's my daughter now!"

Cho gasped. "Frankie! Oh...this is...this is just fantastic!"

"I can hardly believe it myself," she said. "I mean, I'm a mother now...."

"I'm so happy for you...all three of you!" Cho said excitedly. "And I can't wait to give my new granddaughter a big hug."

"I can't wait for that either," Frankie smiled.

"Frankie!" Will called out. "Luna and Hannah are here!"

"I've got to go," Frankie said. "She's here. I'll ring you later Mum."

"Goodbye, sweetheart," Cho said, but Frankie had already hung up the phone.

Hannah was a little apprehensive. She'd been finger painting with Jenny when Luna had announced that they needed to pay a visit to Frankie and Will. Her cheeks were still streaked with purple paint as were her t-shirt and jeans.

Frankie came downstairs. "Look at you!" she laughed as she saw the little girl.

"Me and Jenny were painting," Hannah said wondering why Luna looked as if she was going to cry and Will kept staring at her.

"Purple suits you," Frankie opened her arms.

"I might get paint on you," Hannah said hesitantly.

"That's okay," Frankie said. "I'm washable you know."

Hannah allowed herself to smile as she walked over to Frankie who promptly scooped her up. "We were making Christmas pictures for Caitlin's room. Joey said I was stupid for making my tree purple."

"I think a purple tree is lovely," Frankie said. "In fact, maybe Will and I will turn our tree here purple."

Hannah giggled. "I like that idea."

"I'm going to get back," Luna smiled at Hannah. "You... you have fun sweetheart."

"How long do I get to stay?" Hannah asked Luna.

Frankie beamed at Will, who stood next to them. "Well... we were thinking you could stay... forever this time." Frankie couldn't hold back her grin.

Hannah started to protest. "Can't I stay a little---what?"

"You get to stay with us now," Will was also wearing a huge grin and Luna wiped at her eyes.

"Really?" Hannah asked her eyes wide. "Forever and ever and ever?"

"That's right, my sweet girl," Frankie hugged her again. "It's not completely official yet, but you get to live with us."

"Mummy!" Hannah squealed throwing her arms around Frankie's neck.

"That's right," Frankie blinked back her own tears. "You're our girl now."

Hannah beamed at Will over Frankie's shoulder. "Hi, Daddy!"

"Hey sweetheart," Will grinned at her. "I'm so glad you're living with us now."

"And tomorrow," Frankie told her. "We're taking you shopping for new things for your new room!"

"Really?" Hannah asked. "I get to pick out my own room and bed and everything?"

"Everything," Frankie said smiling at her.

"I'm so happy for you Hannah," Luna said softly. "You're a very lucky young girl."

Frankie set Hannah down and the little girl gave Luna a hug. "I'm going to miss you."

"You'll still see me!" Luna reassured her.

"I will?" Hannah asked.

"Absolutely," Frankie said. "Our families often do things together so you'll see her loads."

"Thank you for taking care of me," Hannah said giving Luna another hug.

"I'd do it again in a heartbeat," Luna kissed the top of her head. "Frankie and Will are going to bring you by tomorrow to get your things from the house."

"And I can say goodbye to Jenny and Caitlin and Mister Ron," Hannah said.

"But not to Joey, right?" Luna teased.

"Right," Hannah giggled.

"Take care sweetheart," Luna gave her one more kiss before leaving through the fireplace.

"Well!" Frankie said brightly. "Welcome to the Barron household!"

Hannah grinned. "My household!"

"That's right," Will scooped her up.

"I'm glad that I get to stay here," Hannah said giving him a hug.

"Me too," Will kissed her cheek. "I always wanted a daughter like you."

Hannah smiled at him. "I always wanted a Daddy like you."

"Looks like we all got our wishes," Frankie kissed her other cheek. "This calls for a major celebration."

"It does?" Hannah asked.

"Absolutely," Will said. "What do you think should we go out for dinner or stay in?"

"Can we...can we stay in?" Hannah asked.

"Sure," Frankie said. "How about we get some takeout, we'll watch some movies, make some popcorn... and have a fun time as a family?"

"A family," Hannah whispered.

"That's what we are now," Frankie hugged her again.

"And I never have to leave," Hannah said hugging Frankie back tightly.

"Never," Frankie held her close.

"So what do you want to do first, love?" Will asked his new daughter.

"Um..." Hannah thought for a moment. "Can I see my room?"

"You most certainly can," Will said. "Right this way, Miss Barron."

Hannah grinned and took both their hands.

"Okay," Frankie said when they got upstairs. "We decided to let you choose which bedroom you like better."

Hannah looked up at her, but didn't say anything. She was too busy taking all of this in.

"Here we have bedroom one," Frankie opened the door.

Hannah stepped inside. She recognised this room as the one that Caroline, Emma and Mia stayed in when they slept over with their aunt and uncle.

"This one is nice," she said. "But doesn't everyone else sleep in here? I don't want to take it away from them."

Frankie smiled. "Well, how about we take a look at the other room then?"

"Okay," she said, slipping her fingers back into Frankie's hand.

Will had a feeling that Hannah would like the next room. For one thing, it was closer to his and Frankie's and for another; he'd done some quick modification to it while they'd waited for Luna and Hannah.

"Oooooh," Hannah's eyes were wide when she went in. "I love this room!"

Frankie looked at her husband. "When did you--"

Will winked at her. "While you were on the phone," he whispered.

Gone were the lime green walls and in their place was a purple mural of dragons and princesses and a castle. Frankie was just as much in awe as Hannah.

"It's the prettiest room ever," Hannah whispered.

"It's all yours," Will smiled at her. "And I bet you anything we can find a bed and dressers and a nightstand and even a desk to match."

There were tears in Hannah's eyes as she turned around to look at her father. She'd never understood why people cried when they were happy until this very moment.

"Are you okay sweetheart?" he asked her.

Hannah nodded. "Thank you, Daddy."

Will picked her up. "I love hearing you say that, Hannah."

"I love you," Hannah hugged him tightly.

Will's voice caught in his throat. "I-I love you too, sweetheart," Will finally said.

Frankie felt tears running down her face and she excused herself for a moment to go and get a tissue.

Will carried Hannah over to the window. "See...you have a great view of the backyard. I was thinking we might put up a swing set for you and maybe a sandbox...would you like that?"

Hannah nodded. "For me and Emma and Caroline and Katie and Mia to play in?"

"And for me," Will said with a straight face. "I can't tell you how long I've wanted to just play in the sand, but Frankie would never let me do it."

Hannah giggled. "Do we get to have a garden too?"

"In the spring, sure," Will replied. "Would you want to plant flowers or vegetables?"

"Can we do both?" she whispered.

Will grinned. "We sure can. And since you're such an expert, we're going to need your input on what to plant."

Hannah grinned at him. "I'm really happy I get to be your little girl."

"And no matter how big you get, you'll always be my little girl," Will said spinning her around.

Hannah laughed. "This makes me dizzy but I like it!"

Frankie came back into the room. "I was thinking Hannah and I would run out to the shops to pick up some things for tonight's dinner."

"Sure," Will stopped spinning them around. "I'll go get some movies."

"Let's get you cleaned up," Frankie said to Hannah.

Hannah had forgotten about the paint on her face and clothes. "Okay," she replied.

Frankie gave her husband a quick kiss before leading Hannah into the bathroom. She sat the little girl on the counter and used her wand to magic away the paint stains.

"I hope I didn't make a mess," Hannah said shyly.

"You didn't," Frankie reassured her.

"What are we going to make for dinner?" Hannah asked as Frankie helped her down.

"I was thinking I might make spaghetti," Frankie replied. "My dad's world-famous recipe."

"It's famous?" Hannah asked.

Frankie laughed. "Well, in the Longbottom family it is. We usually make it when we have something to celebrate. My dad makes the best in the entire world and he passed the recipe down to me and my sisters."

"And I really get to help you make it?" Hannah seemed awed.

Frankie nodded. "But you have to swear that you will never, ever tell anyone outside of our family the ingredients. This is very, very important."

"Okay," Hannah agreed solemnly. "Cross my heart."

"And Will makes the best garlic bread," Frankie said. "But you can tell anyone you want to about that, it's not that famous and it's pretty easy."

Hannah giggled. "Is it better than the restaurant?"

"I think so," Frankie replied. "But you can tell me what you think."

A few minutes later, Frankie and Hannah were walking down the cobblestone street toward the local grocer.

Hannah held on tight to Frankie's hand but her eyes were roaming everywhere, trying to take in everything she possibly could.

Frankie pointed out some of the different shops. "That shop over there has some really beautiful dresses. I go in there at least once a week."

"I love dresses," Hannah's eyes were wide as she looked in the window.

"You see that green one there?" Frankie asked pointed out a ball gown. "I have that one."

"That's so pretty," Hannah said, impressed.

"The Ministry has a ball each Christmas and I'm planning on wearing it this year," Frankie said.

"Green sort of washes you out, doesn't it?" someone drawled from behind them.

Frankie rolled her eyes. "You have got to be kidding me."

Hannah turned to see a tall girl with platinum blonde hair staring at them. The woman wore a fur trimmed coat and boots with the tallest heels Hannah had ever seen.

"You really have sunk haven't you, Franks?" Alicia asked. "Buying off the rack now, are we?"

"Alicia, get a life," Frankie replied coolly.

Hannah hid behind Frankie. There was something about this person that she didn't like.

Frankie squeezed her daughter's hand. "Come on sweetheart." she said.

"Babysitting again?" Alicia called out after them. "You really do know how to live it up, Franks. Which one of your sister's brats is this?"

"THIS," Frankie said angrily. "Is my daughter. And I don't want her associating with the likes of you, Alicia Knowles."

Alicia gaped at her. "I beg your pardon---your...your daughter?"

"That's right," Frankie answered, glaring at her.

"Has it been that long since I've seen you?" Alicia asked. "You work fast..."

Frankie rolled her eyes again. "Come on Hannah."

Hannah took Frankie's hand. "Okay, Mummy," she whispered.

"This is a joke right?" Alicia asked. "Franks, you said you were never having children. You always said they were a waste of time and a nuisance."

"I changed my mind," Frankie said. "You don't know me anymore, Alicia. I doubt you ever really did."

"Obviously," Alicia looked at the cowering little girl with a smirk. "Where'd you find a waif like that?"

Hannah's lower lip trembled.

"Alicia, get away from me before I do something we'll both regret," Frankie's eyes narrowed. "And don't you dare come near me again, or you'll be getting your fourth nose job."

"I. Have. Never. Had. A. Nose. Job," Alicia said slowly through clenched teeth. "I had a deviated septum!"

"If you say so," Frankie said disdainfully.

Alicia glared at her before stalking away.

Frankie returned her attention to Hannah. "I'm sorry you had to see that, baby."

"She was mean," Hannah said softly.

"Very, very mean," Frankie agreed tugging at one of Hannah's plaits. "I went to school with her."

"She called me a bad name," Hannah said quietly.

"Don't you think on it," Frankie said giving her a hug. "She's a lonely, bitter person who couldn't dream of having someone as wonderful as you in her life."

Hannah smiled tremulously at her.

"Come on," Frankie said standing back up. "We're on a shopping trip and we were having a great time, weren't we?"

Hannah nodded. "Right Mummy," she said.

Frankie took her hand and they continued on their walk. "That over there is Will's favourite shop. It has all kinds of books and they have a nice coffee house too."

"I wish I knew how to read," Hannah said.

"We'll help you with that," Frankie promised.

"Do I have to go to school now?" Hannah asked. "Cause I never got to go before."

"We'll enroll you in primary school," Frankie said.

"Is that where Caroline goes?" Hannah asked. "What about Emma?"

Frankie nodded. "Yes, Caroline goes to primary school, but Emma hasn't started yet. You'll probably start when she does."

Hannah looked up at her. "You mean we'll get to be in the same class?"

"Possibly," Frankie grinned. "I have to talk to Allie...I'm new to all this too, Hannah."

"You're already a good mummy," Hannah whispered.

"Thank you, sweetheart," Frankie said. "And you are already a great daughter."

"I really wanted to be your daughter by Christmas," Hannah said. "But I don't have presents for you and Daddy."

"Having you with us is all the present we need," Frankie reassured her as they walked into the grocer's.

"I don't have any money to buy presents anyway," Hannah said as Frankie got a trolley.

"You can make us something," Frankie suggested. "We love your drawings."

"Can we get a frame like I did before?" Hannah asked. "I bet Daddy wants a picture in his office too."

"We sure can," Frankie replied.

Hannah beamed at her. "What does he like pictures of?"

"Anything really," Frankie said thoughtfully.

"What if..." she said softly. "What if I drew a picture of you and me?"

"He would love that," Frankie grinned. "Absolutely love that."

"I'll start to work on it tomorrow," Hannah climbed onto the edge of the trolley so she could look at her new mother.

"Sounds like a plan," Frankie said pushing the trolley toward the produce section. "Shall we get some fruit do you think?"

"I really like strawberries," Hannah replied. "And pears."

"Two of my favourites as well," Frankie said winking at her. "Let's see..."

Hannah helped her pick out a good punnet of strawberries as well as some pears and oranges.

Frankie also picked out some vegetables for the sauce and couldn't help grinning at how eager Hannah was to help. She knew that things wouldn't always be easy, but she knew that she'd never regret the choice to adopt this sweet little girl who had changed her life.

"I'm so hungry," Hannah said as they got into the queue to pay.

"We could split a chocolate bar," Frankie said motioning toward the candy rack.

"Before dinner?" Hannah's eyes were wide. "Really?"

"We'll split it," Frankie said. "Just this once."

Hannah giggled. "Can we have one with caramel in it?"

"Of course," Frankie replied. "You pick one out."

Hannah carefully selected one. "Is this okay Mummy?"

Frankie smiled at her. "You picked one with caramel! Good girl."

Hannah grinned and leaned against her as Frankie paid for their groceries. "Can I help you carry a bag?"

Frankie nodded.

"You have a pretty little girl," the cashier said handing Frankie her change.

"Thank you," Frankie smiled at her. "She's my best girl."

Hannah beamed at Frankie before picking up one of the bags.

"Got it?" Frankie asked.

"It's not heavy," Hannah replied.

"Thank you," Frankie said to the cashier as they left. "All right Hannah- we're going to do a little window shopping on the way back, and you tell me what stores you want to go in tomorrow to get some clothes."

"More clothes?" Hannah asked.

"Loads of clothes," Frankie said. "So many clothes that you'll never have to wear the same outfit twice."

"I-I don't need any new clothes," Hannah said. "I already have so much."

"You are going to get everything you ever wanted," Frankie told her.

Hannah smiled. "Really?"

"Absolutely," Frankie said.

"Wow," was all Hannah could say.

Frankie laughed. "Can you believe what Will did to your room already?"

Hannah shook her head. "It's amazing!"

"It's very fitting isn't it?" Frankie asked. "For a lovely princess like yourself."

Hannah giggled. "I feel like a princess."

"You are," Frankie said. "You may not have a royal title, but you're our princess Hannah."

"I hope Jenny can find a family like I did," Hannah said softly. "And Caitlin, too. And even Joey and Zack."

"That's very sweet of you," Frankie said as they arrived back at the house. "And I bet they will find a place to live. And if not, they're lucky to have Ron and Luna."

"I'll miss seeing them everyday," Hannah said shyly. "But I'm really, really, really glad I'm here."

"So are we," Frankie unlocked the door and motioned for Hannah to go in ahead of her.

"There's my girls," Will said when the came inside. "Did you have fun?"

Hannah nodded. "'cept for this mean lady who called me a bad name."

"Mean lady?" Will looked quizzically at Frankie.

"Alicia," Frankie shook her head. "I got rid of her."

Will sighed. "Just when you think it's safe to go out, she rears her ugly mug around..."

"I found her true weakness," Frankie smirked as she and Hannah set their bags on the table. "Remind her about her nose job."

"And she gave you the old deviated septum routine again, eh?" Will asked knowingly.

Frankie laughed. "As always."

"What's a..." Hannah hesitated. "Dev...devi--"

"Deviated septum?" Will asked. "Well, simply put, Hannah...it's a lie that Alicia Knowles says when anyone questions whether or not she's had a nose job..."

"What's a nose job?" Hannah asked curiously.

"It's where a doctor goes and makes your nose look different," Frankie explained. "Sometimes people get them for medical reasons, and other people, like Alicia, get them because they have ugly noses."

"Frankie!" Will exclaimed, but he was laughing.

"And she's had four?" Hannah asked.

"Each one uglier than the last," Frankie nodded.

"Perhaps we shouldn't say such things in front of Hannah," Will cautioned his wife.

"I thought it was kind of funny," Hannah confessed with a tiny smile.

"Well," Will said leaning against the counter. "It's not what's on the outside that counts. It's what on the inside."

"What does that mean?" Hannah was confused as Frankie began to assemble the ingredients for the sauce.

"It means that you shouldn't put importance on someone because of how they look," Will explained. "The most important thing is how that person is with their friends and how they treat others."

"But you and Frankie are really nice," Hannah replied. "That other lady wasn't."

"No, she isn't," Will said. "She used to be friends with your mum but she did some horrible things."

"Mummy's too nice to be friends with someone mean," Hannah said.

"She didn't like your dad," Frankie said. "That was part of the reason she and I don't talk anymore."

"How could anyone not like Will...I mean, Daddy," Hannah asked.

"Seems impossible to me," Frankie said with a grin.

"Oh stop it you two," Will joked.

Frankie laughed. "Okay, okay...you get to work on that bread, Mr. Barron. Me and the newest Barron are going to work on the spaghetti."

"I can't wait," Hannah said. "I'm still so hungry!"

"We never did have our chocolate bar," Frankie said reaching into her bag for it.

Will looked quizzically at her. "Hold on...YOU bought sweets? And not just sweets, but chocolate?"

"It's a special occasion," Frankie pulled the chocolate bar out.

"Mister Ron said you never need an excuse to eat," Hannah said as Frankie unwrapped the package and handed her half of the bar.

"That's because he has a bottomless stomach," Frankie said, offering her husband a piece as well.

"Thanks," Will said giving her a kiss. "Ethan and Maddie rang earlier...I told them the good news."

"What did they say?" Frankie asked with a grin.

"Maddie said she could see only happiness in our future," Will said. "And then Ethan called her 'Trelawney' and she started fussing with him..."

Frankie laughed loudly.

"Who's Trelawney?" Hannah asked her.

"She used to teach Divination at Hogwarts," Frankie explained. "I always did quite well in her classes."

Hannah was quiet for a moment. "My mummy could do magic sometimes," she said. "But if my daddy caught her..."

"That man isn't your father anymore," Frankie said kneeling down in front of Hannah. "And you don't ever, ever have to worry about him hurting you again."

Hannah nodded before hugging her. "Do you think my real mummy would be mad that I'm calling you mummy too?"

Frankie shook her head. "I never met your mummy, Hannah, but from what I've heard she loved you more than anything else in this world. And I'm not trying to take her place. If you ever want to talk about her with me you can, sweetheart."

"Thank you," Hannah whispered. "Cause I love you like I loved my mummy."

Frankie squeezed Hannah's hands. "And I love you too. So much."

"That makes three of us," Will chucked Hannah under the chin. "We're going to do our best to keep you happy."

"This is the best day ever," Hannah said.

"Same for us," Frankie told her.

They spent the rest of the evening preparing dinner and talking. Hannah couldn't remember the last time she'd had so much fun. Will had even told her that he'd start teaching her to read straightaway.

"I didn't bring any books with me," Hannah began.

"Luna sent over the books from your room," Will explained. "And she's going to send over your clothes later tonight."

Hannah smiled. "Do we still get to go over there tomorrow so I can say goodbye?"

Frankie nodded. "Of course and I'm off work until after the holidays."

Hannah grinned at her. "We get to spend every single day together now!" she said delightedly.

"Every single day," Frankie agreed.

They were about to sit down to dinner when they heard the doorbell.

"I'll get it," Will offered.

"Sounds good," Frankie replied. "We'll get started on this feast."

Will opened the door to see Mrs. Roman looking quite grave and serious. His heart sank. After all this, she couldn't possibly be here to say that everything had fallen apart.

"Mrs. Roman," Will said forcing a smile.

"Good evening Mr. Barron," she said. "May I come in?"

"Of course," Will said ushering her inside. "We were just sitting down to dinner."

Mrs. Roman nodded. "I have something to show you," she said, still serious. She handed Will a thick packet.

Will took the packet. "Frankie?"

He heard his wife push back her chair and come into the hall. When she saw Mrs. Roman, she froze.

"Mrs. Roman," Frankie finally said.

"I just gave your husband something I think you both need to see," Mrs. Roman said, her face still unreadable.

Frankie nodded and swallowed hard as Will opened the packet.

He pulled the papers out and began to read aloud. "The petition by William Barron and Francesca Barron to adopt Hannah Emily Wright..." Will began.

Frankie grabbed the papers away. "Was approved..." she finished in a breathless tone. "Oh Merlin!" she looked up at Mrs. Roman.

"Congratulations," Mrs. Roman said finally smiling at them.

Frankie squealed loudly and threw her arms around her husband, who was still standing there in shock.

"She's really ours," Will finally managed to say.

"She's really yours," Mrs. Roman said grinning at him. "There's no going back now.'

"We'd never want to," Frankie said as Hannah appeared in the doorway.

"Come here," Will said taking the papers back from Frankie. "This is going to be our first reading lesson, Hannah. Do you know what this paper says?"

Hannah took it in her hand. She shook her head after looking at it for a moment.

"This says that you are officially our daughter," Will said smiling at her. "And nothing can ever change that."

A huge smile appeared on Hannah's face. "Nothing?"

"Nothing," Will said putting his arms around her.

"Mrs. Roman, please stay and have dinner with us," Frankie told the older woman. "We wouldn't have been able to do any of this without you."

"Something does smell quite delicious," Mrs. Roman smiled.

"Me and Mummy made sketti," Hannah said proudly.

Mrs. Roman grinned. "I'd love to stay. Thank you, all three of you."

"Thank you," Will said. "I'll just go and set an extra place."

Hannah looked over at Mrs. Roman. "Daddy already made my room real nice."

"Did he?" Mrs. Roman asked.

"Want to see?" Hannah asked.

"Sure," Mrs. Roman said.

"I'm just going to go and help Will," Frankie said.

Hannah led her former caseworker upstairs. "Its right here," she pointed.

Mrs. Roman marvelled at the difference in the young girl. Just a few months before she would hardly say a word to anyone and shied away from all contact. Now she was being actively social and seemed very happy.

"And tomorrow Mummy and Daddy are going to take me shopping to buy a new bed and stuff," Hannah said as she opened the door to her bedroom.

"This is very lovely Hannah," Mrs. Roman said. "I'm so happy for you sweetheart."

"Me too," Hannah admitted.

"You deserve this," Mrs. Roman pulled a small envelope out of her bag. "This is for you."

"For me?" Hannah asked.

Mrs. Roman nodded as Hannah opened the envelope. Inside, the little girl's former neighbours had placed some pictures of Hannah and Abbie in some rare, but happier moments of their short life together.

Hannah was speechless as she looked at the photographs. There was a picture of her mother holding her as a baby. Another was of her and her mother at one of the neighbour's barbeques and another of the two of them in the garden. Hannah was wearing one of her mother's big hats and they were both grinning at the camera and waving.

"Mummy," Hannah whispered.

"I thought you might like to have them," Mrs. Roman said softly. "Your new parents thought so too."

"That was our special place," Hannah said softly as she showed Mrs. Roman the picture of them in the garden. "She used to read to me from this book about a secret garden. It was my most favourite..."

"She sounds like she was a lovely woman," Mrs. Roman said as they went down the stairs.

Hannah hugged the pictures to her. "Mrs. Roman gave me pictures of my mummy!"

"I heard that she found some," Frankie smiled at her. "Can we take a look?"

Hannah nodded and handed the photographs to Frankie.

Frankie looked through them. "Hannah... these are beautiful."

"You look just like your mum," Will said smiling at her.

Hannah smiled a bit sadly.

"Look at how proud she looks," Frankie said looking at the picture of Abbie with the newborn Hannah.

"I miss her," Hannah said quietly.

"Come here, baby," Frankie said holding out her arms.

Hannah tried to stave off her tears. She didn't want Frankie to be upset that she missed her real mother.

"It's okay," Frankie said softly as Hannah climbed into her lap. Frankie held her closely. "I know you miss her."

"Sometimes a lot," she nodded.

"Do you know that I lost my great-grandmother when I was just about your age," Frankie confided.

"You did?" Hannah asked, oblivious to Will and Mrs. Roman, who busied themselves with bringing all the food to the table.

Frankie nodded. "She wasn't the easiest person to get to know, but I was always really close to her."

Hannah sniffed and rubbed at her eyes. "Did you miss her a lot?"

"I did, but you know what my mum told me?" Frankie asked her. "She said that when you missed someone you cared about you should think about the good times you had and you won't be as sad."

"We took pictures when we were happy," Hannah looked at them again. "Is it okay if I keep them in my room?"

"It is," Frankie said. "And I have some frames that you can put them in."

"Thank you... Mummy." Hannah whispered.

Frankie kissed the top of her head. "And don't you feel guilty for missing your mummy in front of me. She's always going to be your mother, Hannah."

Mrs. Roman looked at Will. "She's wonderful with her," she said softly so that neither Frankie nor Hannah would hear.

Will smiled proudly at them. "She really is."

"It's always such a wonderful thing when we can find a child a good home like this," Mrs. Roman told him. "It's a very rewarding feeling for us caseworkers."

"Have you any leads on the other children at Ron and Luna's?" Will asked.

"There's actually a couple interested in Joey," Mrs. Roman said in a normal tone. "They already have three boys and he'd fit in perfect."

"That's fantastic," Will said. "I've played football with him a couple of times and he's not so bad."

"He's just got to remember to mind his manners," Mrs. Roman laughed as they sat down. Hannah climbed off Frankie's lap and sat in her own chair.

"I don't know if Ron and Luna will give up Caitlin," Mrs. Roman said.

Frankie smiled. "She's such a sweet baby."

"I liked it when she cooed," Hannah said smiling at the memory of it.

"Luna told me you were responsible for helping her learn to crawl," Mrs. Roman said.

Hannah nodded. "I helped show her how to do it."

"Sounds like you've got the makings of a good teacher Hannah," Will told his daughter.

"You think so?' Hannah asked as Frankie handed her a piece of bread.

"Absolutely," Will smiled at her. "You're smart and patient. It takes a lot of work to show a baby how to crawl."

"Thanks, Daddy," Hannah said.

"Mrs. Barron this really is delicious," Mrs. Roman said after she'd taken a bite of the spaghetti.

"Thank you," Frankie said. "It's an old family recipe."

"My grandpa's," Hannah said. She looked at Frankie. "Is it okay if I call him that?"

"Of course it is," Frankie replied. "You have two sets of grandparents who are dying to give their new granddaughter a big hug as soon as they see you. And you know something else?"

Hannah shook her head. "What?"

"Your father's mother's name is Abigail," Frankie smiled at her.

"Really?" Hannah asked.

"She wants you to call her Grandma Abbie, if you want." Will said, sliding the basket of bread over to his wife.

"I'd like that," Hannah said.

"My father's name is Theodore, but everyone calls him Ted. And they're so excited to meet you. Mia was telling them all about you." Will added.

"Do I have to meet Scary Mary?" Hannah whispered.

"Frankie!" Will began to laugh. "What are you telling her about my sister?"

"I-I didn't," Frankie said hastily.

"Mia told me she was a bit scary and that she sometimes called her Scary Mary," Hannah admitted.

Will nearly choked on his spaghetti; he was laughing so hard by this point.

"She's not that bad," Frankie told Hannah.

"She's really not that scary then?" Hannah asked, relieved.

"Not that scary at all," Frankie reassured her.

"Okay," Hannah began to eat again.

Later that evening after Mrs. Roman had left and the dishes had all been washed, Will carried his sleepy daughter up to her bedroom. Hannah had fought off sleep because she didn't want the day to end.

"I'm not so tired," Hannah said before letting off a huge yawn.

"Could have fooled me," Will teased. "You had a big day."

"Tomorrow is a big day too," Hannah answered as he retrieved a pair of pyjamas from a drawer.

"Your mum and I are going to get some sleep too," Will said handing her the pyjamas.

"Okay," Hannah said. "I can get dressed myself."

"Okay," Will told her. "We'll be back in a few minutes to give you a kiss goodnight and tuck you in."

Hannah gave him a sleepy smile before he left the room.

Will found Frankie in their bedroom, putting Hannah's photographs in frames.

"What a day," he said. "She's getting herself ready for bed."

Frankie looked up from her handiwork and smiled at her husband. "She's really here, Will."

"She's here and she's all ours," Will leaned over and gave her a gentle kiss. "You are amazing with her Frankie."

"I love her so much," Frankie said.

"So do I," Will answered as he got into the t-shirt and boxers he liked to sleep in. "Things are going to be so great with her around."

"They are," Frankie agreed. She looked at the photograph of Abbie and Hannah. "I hope Abbie would be happy with me raising her daughter. I'd like to think she is."

Will nodded. "I'm sure she is, sweetheart."

"Let's go and tuck her in," Frankie said picking up the frames.

Hannah was already in bed, the clothes she had been wearing folded neatly and sitting on the edge on top of the blanket.

"You look cosy," Frankie said sitting down on the edge of the bed.

"The bed's really, really warm," Hannah blinked sleepily.

"Do you want a night light?" Will asked.

Hannah nodded.

He held up the one he'd retrieved from the guest room and plugged it in.

"Thanks Daddy," Hannah said, struggling to stay awake at this point.

Will leaned over and pressed a kiss to her forehead. "Sweet dreams, my Hannah."

"I love you Daddy," she said. "And I love you too Mummy."

"We love you baby," Frankie said brushing the hair back from Hannah's forehead. "We're in the next room if you need us."

"Okay," Hannah shut her eyes again and her breathing immediately grew steady.

Frankie and Will watched her for a few moments.

"I'm still a little bit awed," she whispered as they quietly backed out of the room, leaving the door open halfway. "I didn't think it would be that easy to get David Wright to sign the papers, even though he thought he saw Hannah."

"I'm so proud of you for what you did today," Will told her. "I know none of that was easy."

"I think it's good for her to remember Abbie," Frankie said thoughtfully.

"Me too," Will agreed.

"I just want to do anything I can to make her the happiest girl alive," Frankie said as she changed and Will got into their bed. "It's amazing, how much I love her. It's such a different love than what I feel for you, know what I mean?"

Will nodded. "I do know."

"Not that it's any less intense," Frankie continued, sliding in next to him.

Will put him arm around her. "We're a family, Frankie."

She smiled at him as her eyes welled up with tears. "A real family," she agreed.

DD Cast Interviews: Jon and Allison

Heaven: I wonder if Jon and Allie will be late like Harry and Hermione were. Honestly, those two were practically joined at the lips. How delusional of them… right? Haha!

Amynoelle: Very delusional. But I have a feeling that they won't keep us waiting so long. Did I tell you how happy I was that we were interviewing them? They're my favorites next to Harry and Hermione, but don't tell any of the other couples that!

Heaven: I won't. You were nice and quiet about how much I love Andrew and Saffron.

Amynoelle: Do you think we should tell Jon and Allison what our original plans for them were?

Heaven: Nah. Do you think they'd believe us? Allison and JOSH? Come on...

Jon (his voice distant): Emma, you can watch the end of that movie, but after that you have to go to bed. I mean it, sweetheart...no, no...Aunt Maddie's look is not going to work on me....

Emma: Peas?

Jon: Allie, don't let her give me that look....

Allison: Well, it is a weekend, Jon...I don't think it would hurt if she stayed up a little later. Besides, she'll probably fall asleep on the sofa with Max and Caroline anyway.

Jon: All right Em. You can stay up with your sister. Your mum and I will be in the other room here...

Emma (claps her hands excitedly): Kay! Em watch moooooooooooovie!

Amynoelle: Hi, you guys! Heaven and I are so happy you could sit down with us for an interview.

Allison: Thanks for having us. We're excited about it too! Don't mind me if I have to run out for a few minutes- Adam's down for the night but sometimes he wakes up with a dirty nappy.

Jon: Most of the time, Al.

Heaven: Well, we won't beat around the bush. We'll get started just in case Adam wakes up. He's such a doll, by the way. We can't wait until he gets older!

Allison: He's already growing up too fast. All three of them are, actually.

Heaven: I can't believe Caroline is seven. I mean really... she was just four like... 100 chapters ago.

Jon: It's hard to believe. And in four years she'll be heading off to Hogwarts.

Amynoelle: I know! And our readers have watched you two grow up from your teens to getting married...to starting your own family. You two have gone on quite an emotional roller coaster over the years.

Allison: Tell me about it. But it's worth it though.

Heaven: We're glad to hear that. And thinking back to when you guys were at Hillsdale, we had a lot of people wonder what you think it would have been like if you'd gotten together with Josh.

Jon: I still can't believe you fancied him, Al.

Allison: I grew up with both Josh and Jon, as you know. And when we were kids, I was closer to Josh because we had some things in common. We were both really good at school and Jon always seemed more interested in goofing off and pulling pranks. And as Josh and I grew up, I just started looking at him differently. Little did I know that his twin brother was looking at ME differently. But to answer the question, no I don't think about what my life might have been like had I gotten together with Josh. I found my soulmate at 15 and not too many people can say that. Never once have I thought about what if or if only. I'm with the person I was supposed to be with.

Heaven: Wow....

Jon: Thanks, Al. Do you see why I love her so much?

Heaven: I think everybody does. Jon, toinkydoink wanted to know if Josh DID fancy Allison back and they'd gotten together, would you have fought for her?

Jon: Are you kidding? Of course I would have. She's my girl, always has been, and always will be.

Amynoelle: Awww....

Allison: Just what I was thinking too, Amy.

Amynoelle: Okay back to the questions. Michy34 has a lot of questions for you two. Starting off with, Jon--when did you decide you wanted to go out with Allie?

Jon: I really never thought of Allison as a girl I'd fancy until we moved to Ireland. I just remember when we got off the train at Hogwarts to go home for summer hols, she gave both Josh and me a big hug, because we weren't going to be around like we were before. And she just didn't leave my head until September, when I saw her again on the train. I guess I just knew she was the girl for me.

Amynoelle: Michy34 also wants to know how you felt to be around her.

Jon: As you guys saw, I was more than a little nervous and I covered it by showing off around her--doing anything to get her to notice me. Sometimes, it worked to my advantage and other times it didn't...but being around Al is like nothing in the world. She makes you feel like you can do anything you want and be anything you want.

Heaven: Damn it Jon, you weren't supposed to be this sweet, you know.

Jon (laughs): I can't be obnoxious all the time...as Al likes to tell me. Amynoelle: Michy also wanted to know if you were scared of Neville.

Jon: Me? Scared? Hell no!

Allison: You're not now, but back then you were.

Jon: I guess maybe a bit, when I thought we wouldn't be together. I really didn't understand what the big deal was. I always was respectful of Allie when we were together.

Allison: And Daddy knew Jon. It wasn't like he was some bloke I met at school. Amynoelle: Michy also wanted to know how it felt for the two of you when you found out about Caroline. What was it like to hold her for the first time?

Allison: We didn't start a family right away. We wanted to have some time on our own and we also wanted to save money to buy a house. But when we did find out about Caroline...

Jon: Okay, at that point I was terrified. We didn't have a whole lot of money and all of a sudden we had this baby to provide for. But when I held her for the first time, I didn't care. I just knew I had this little person who was completely dependant on me and there's nothing I wouldn't do for any of my children.

Amynoelle: And then when Emma was born, you were coping with the fact that your wife was in a coma. How were you feeling at that time?

Jon: I was such a mess, but I had to hold it together as best I could for Caroline. The possibility that I had to be without Al... it was just too much. I couldn't even think of that happening.

Amynoelle: And Coolman wanted to ask Allison what you first thought about when you came out of the coma.

Allison: My first thought was the baby. I didn't know what had happened to her. And when I opened my eyes, I saw Jon. I honestly didn't know what was going on. My last memory was being in the delivery room with Jon and Lizzy and then everything went black. I felt terrible that Jon and Caroline had to go through this ordeal on what should have been this happy occasion.

Jon: It's okay Al. It worked out. And with Adam, everything was perfect.

Amynoelle: And speaking of Adam, who do you think he looks like ?

Jon: Might be too soon to say. Right now he's a pretty good mix. He's got my red hair and Al's eyes. But he smiles just like Emma does.

Amynoelle: You have a beautiful family. And a couple of our readers have said they wanted to adopt Emma.

Heaven: Emma wanted to ask if she could borrow Emma for the weekend. *laughs*

Allison: Well, we are looking for a babysitter....

Amynoelle: And I was wondering if you two bought Emma the special edition DVD that just came out for The Little Mermaid?

Jon: We didn't have to. My mum and dad bought it for her and she loved it so much, she actually slept with the case that first night.

Heaven *laughs* It is a rather good movie.

Amynoelle: Yes, it is! And now for Michy's last question---are you two planning on any other children?

Allison: I'm not planning on it, unless Jon's going to carry them.

Jon: You could take that as a no....

Amynoelle: Another of our readers has posed a bunch of questions for you guys. The first set of questions go to you, Jon. Jon, you almost lost the love of your life 3 times: first to Josh, second because of Neville and third because of the problem of Emma’s birth? Which one was the worst and if she had chosen Josh in the first place, would you fight to have her back or not?!!

Jon: Yes, I'd have fought. And I think the worst was when I thought she wouldn't wake up. I mean, at least when her dad was keeping us apart, there was still the hope of us seeing each other. If Al had died... I don't know what I would have done.

Amynoelle: We know how hard a time that was for you. But you really did handle yourself well. As well as could be expected given all that was going on.

Jon: Thanks. I'm glad everything turned out okay. As I said before, Al's the only girl for me.

Amynoelle: RC's second question was if you could change anything in your life, what would it be?

Jon: I would have told Allie about the pub a lot sooner than I did. It was really crazy of me to lie to her about it.

Heaven: Everyone thought you were having an affair!

Jon: You guys had no faith in me! I'd never have done that to Allie and the girls.

Heaven: WE knew you were faithful...

Jon: Thank you, girls.

Amynoelle: RC's last question for you Jon was for you to describe Allie---how do you see her?

Jon: She's the most beautiful woman in the world, both inside and out.

Allison (gives him a kiss): That's my Boo Bear.

Amynoelle: Okay, moving on to RC's questions for you, Allie. Why Jon and not Josh, since you had this major crush on him (Josh) and you guys seems to be more alike back than? When did you first notice that you could no longer live without Jon?

Allison: I thought that summer was going to be the time that Josh and I would get together. But that first day there at Hillsdale, Jon came up to me on the beach and he really looked adorable when he was trying to ask me to go for a walk after dinner. And then, we went on our first date...well, first group date, and he was so nice and funny and sweet. I was seeing this new side of him and I really couldn't help falling for him.

Jon: I'm just that kind of guy.

Amynoelle: And he's so modest too! But getting back to your dad, Allie...how did you feel when your dad caught you two on Jon's sofa and told you that you guys couldn't be together anymore?

Allison: I was devastated. I was totally dependant on my parents back then and I was terrified they'd kick me out. But at the same time, I couldn't see myself away from Jon. He was the love of my life.

Jon: And we didn't like lying to him like we did, but we had to in order to be together. I've known Neville since I was a kid, but I'd never seen him that angry before...but no matter what he tried or what he did, we were going to be together.

Amynoelle: That was certainly obvious. RC wanted to also know if you regretted getting married so young, Allie?

Allison: Absolutely not. Not for a moment.

Heaven: With a romance like yours, I can see why you wouldn't regret it. That makes me think of a question from Orli Luva. Jon, what made you propose to Allie that day at Hogsmeade?

Jon: We'd been apart for quite some time and I didn't see it getting any better. Neville wasn't going to budge and it was hard seeing him and Cho fighting with my mom and dad and Uncle Harry and Aunt Hermione. I couldn't understand why we couldn't be together. And I also knew that we had to do something to show them how serious we were about each other. And desperate times called for desperate measures. Allie and I wanted to get married someday, but we didn't plan on it being so early. And even though it was extremely hard and we did without a lot of things, we made it and we are stronger because of it.

Heaven: At least it worked. We were so happy for you guys!

Allison: We were too.

Amynoelle: One of the Anonymous readers wanted to know Allie if you were ever sorry that you defied you father's wishes? Did you feel about lying to his face and to Cho--who thought you were telling the truth?

Allison: I didn't like lying, in fact I really hated it. But I had to show them how serious I was about being with Jon.

Amynoelle: Jon, what was your first reaction to Neville finding you guys in your flat?

Jon: My first thought was that we should have gone to my bedroom instead of being on the sofa. But I was afraid that he was going to tell us we wouldn't be able to see each other and of course, my worst fear, came true.

Heaven: But you obviously worked through that. And speaking of fears, Allie, what's your worst fear and biggest dream?

Allison: My biggest dream... well that's changed throughout the years. When I was younger, I wanted to dance like my mum and Chiaki. Then I wanted to play Quidditch. But now my biggest dream is just to be happy and raise my children as best I can.

Amynoelle: And what do you think that the three children inherited from you. Let's start with Caroline.

Allison: Caroline's inherited my shyness... she's so sweet with everyone and so patient, she hardly ever gets angry.

Jon: She's very much like Allie. Em's more like me. Her appetite rivals mine. And she's stubborn like me too. If you tell her she can't do something, she'll find whatever way she can to get you to come around to her way of thinking.

Amynoelle: And Adam? I know he's still quite young...

Allison: *laughs* We'll keep you posted on him.

Amynoelle: Okay, truth time. Coolman wants to know where the name Boo Bear came from and if you have a name for Allie?

Jon: I can't believe you guys told everyone about that!

Amynoelle: It was during a Truth or Dare game! Come on! Besides, it's her name for you!

Allison: *giggles* If you guys really want to know, when we used to stay in the flat above the shop....this was right after we'd gotten married and I was still in school...there was this one night where we were in bed just talking and I said something about liking Jon better than the old teddy bear I used to sleep with.

Jon: Just what I wanted everyone to know. I'm better than a teddy bear.

Heaven: Oh come on Jon... now you can finally reveal your name for Allie as well!

Jon: You know how her name is Allison Catherine, right? Well, I call her Alley Cat.

Heaven: That's actually quite cute!

Jon: *Grins* Why thank you.

Amynoelle: Rainbow Star wants to know what your dream job would be Jon? Would it be professional Quidditch like your little brother?

Jon: I don't know if I was ever really good enough for professional Quidditch. I really loved teaching people how to fly... but I guess it just didn't pan out. I enjoy working at the pub though. Vic's a great partner and now being part of the management I also get to spend more time with my family.

Amynoelle: And now Rainbow Star's question for Allison: When Jon asked you out that very first time (at Hillsdale) what were you thoughts on it? At that time you had no romantic feelings towards him. Were you excited or did you think it was a good way to make Josh jealous? Obviously everything changed, but she wants to know if you thought that it was nice of him, but were you still holding a candle for Josh or if you were really excited about going out with him.

Allison: It was sort of on a whim that I said yes. I thought perhaps if Josh saw I wasn't available, he might do something, but then when I was out with Jon, and I got to see just what a great guy he was... Josh didn't matter so much anymore.

Amynoelle: Awww, we really love you guys and can't picture you with Josh now, Allie.

Jon: That's right! Josh who? *laughs*

Allison: I just peeked in at the girls and they are both fast asleep on the sofa. I wish you two could see this.

Heaven: Maybe you two could take a picture sometime. I'm sure our readers would love to see that!

Amynoelle: So would we! That and either Ron or Neville in the Magic Mud treatment.

Jon: They both secretly love that, you know.

Allison: *Giggles* I'm not so sure it's that as the fact that they make Caroline and Em very happy when they let them do it.

Heaven: They really are so cute! I love how Emma has latched onto Hannah and claimed her as a best friend. And Caroline is so sweet with both Mia and Katie.

Amynoelle: And how is Emma adjusting to her little brother?

Jon: At first we were worried, but she's really taken to him. Sometimes she won't even leave his side.

Allison: And you should hear her sing to him....

Heaven: She is one of the favourite characters in this series. We always get compliments on Emma!

Amynoelle: We seriously should rename the series "Everyone Loves Emma"

Heaven: Like "Everyone Loves Raymond, but Emma instead."

Jon: She and Caroline are the sweetest girls you'd ever want to meet next to their mum.

Heaven: Awwww!

Allison: As much as I hate to do it, we should probably put the girls to bed and check on Adam. This really has been fun ladies! Thank you so much for asking us those questions. You have some great readers out there.

Heaven: Yes we do! And they're so happy you guys were able to do this!

Amynoelle: It really was fun! We hope you guys enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Jon: I know for a fact we will. Liz just gave her clearance-- oww!

Allison: Jonathan!

Jon: What?

Allison: You didn't have to tell them that. (whispers) But I do plan on seeing Boo Bear tonight.

Heaven: TMI. But I'm sure we'll write about it soon.

Amynoelle: And on that note, we should probably end the interview.

Heaven: No kidding!

Jon & Allison: Good night!

Heaven: Bye you guys! Thanks again!

Amynoelle: That really was great! I'm giddy! I love that couple!

Heaven: Here, have some of my champagne. There's an inch or so left in the bottle...

Amynoelle: Cheers!

145. 145!!!

Hi all- We hope you enjoy this chapter, and don’t want to kill us afterwards! *ducks heavy flying objects*

Oh- and now that the Sims 2 Pets expansion is out, expect to see Paddington, Puddles, Max and other family friends on the Sims page ;)

-----------------------------------

Allison laughed as Caroline tried to help Jon untangle the lights. They'd been working at it for over fifteen minutes and Allison finally took pity on them by waving her wand and muttering a spell. Caroline's eyes grew large as the string untangled in seconds.

"I was going to do that," Jon said with a grin.

"Sure you were," Allison replied, laughing.

Adam was sitting in his bouncy seat watching as Emma showed him ornaments.

"Sissy made this!" Emma held up an angel that Caroline had made last year in school.

Adam gurgled and waved his little arms and legs.

"This is Em's," Emma said holding up a Christmas tree ornament that Ashley had helped her paint. "Pretty?"

"That's one of my favourites," Allison sat down next to Adam's chair.

Emma beamed at her mother and crawled into Allison's lap. "Em's birthday soon."

"That's right sweetheart," Allison hugged her daughter. "I can't believe you're going to be... how old?"

Emma held up three fingers. "This many!"

"That's right," Allison said. "That's my smart little Emma!"

Caroline poked her father in the side. "She doesn't know about the party at your pub, Daddy," she whispered to him. "She's going to be so surprised."

"That's right Angel," Jon whispered back. "And you're my best secret keeper."

"I won't tell," Caroline promised. She looked at some of the ornaments and smiled at her father. "I bet you had fun when you were little setting up the tree with Aunt Maddie and Aunt Drew..."

"Sure I did," Jon said, stringing the lights on with his wand. "If anything got broken I blamed your uncle Josh."

Caroline giggled. "I bet it was you every time."

Jon clutched at his chest. "You think your old man broke everything?"

Allison came up behind Jon and put her arms around her husband's neck. "You usually did, Jonathan Arthur. Need I remind you of how you liked to juggle everything?"

"I'm much better at it now," Jon took a few of the round ornaments and began to toss them around.

"Daddy!" Caroline cautioned.

"What?" Jon asked, "Look- I didn't even hit your Mum in the face this time."

Allison laughed. "That really hurt, Jon."

"He was only trying to impress you, Mummy," Caroline said in his defence.

"See?" Jon asked, finishing his little act with a flourish. "And it eventually worked."

"Eventually," Allison agreed clapping her hands. "And you have gotten much better."

"Daddy's good at everything," Emma said.

"That's my girls," Jon grinned at them. "Taking up for their old man."

Allison laughed. "It wasn't the juggling that won me over."

"What was it, Mummy?" Caroline asked.

"Well," Allison said thoughtfully. "It wasn't until we all went on a trip together that I really got to see how sweet your daddy is."

***

It was hot at Hillsdale and Allison rather liked it. She was used to it being cold and rainy so the warm and sunny was a nice change. She stretched out on the chaise lounge and looked around for Josh. He'd mentioned something about going swimming and she was going to do like her mother had said. She was going to be herself and eventually he'd see how good they could be together. She heard laughter in the distance and turned to see Josh walking back toward the cabins with Julie and Ethan Potter.

"Oh come on," she muttered in dismay.

Allison sighed and contemplated going for a long walk when she felt someone tapping her on the shoulder. "Go away, Frankie."

"I'm not Frankie," an amused voice replied.

Allison turned around to see Jon Weasley standing behind her with a grin on his face. He was wearing swimming trunks and a plain white t-shirt and a beach towel swung over his shoulder.

"Hi," she said quietly. "I-I thought you were Frankie. She's mad because Mum and Dad won't let her come down to the lake by herself."

"Sorry to disappoint you then," he joked.

Allison shook her head. "I'd much rather see you than Frankie."

Jon grinned at that. "Cool."

Allison didn't really know what to say. Their first day here he'd approached her about going for a walk, but for some reason, he'd made some excuse about not being able to do it. She hadn't minded because she'd been too busy thinking of Josh.

"What are you up to?" Allison finally asked.

"Just thought I'd take a swim before dinner," Jon dropped his towel on the chair.

Allison nodded. "I was actually thinking of heading back to the cabin."

"Oh," Jon said. "I was um... I was going to ask if you wanted to join me, but if you have something else to do..."

"I didn't have anything else planned," Allison admitted. She wasn't about to tell him that she was going to head back to her room and cry over what an idiot his twin brother was being.

"Really?" Jon's face brightened. "Do you... did you want to stay? And just go for a quick swim? The water's really nice..."

Allison smiled shyly at him. "Okay..."

Jon grinned widely at her. "Great!" he pulled his shirt off.

Allison was a little shy about him seeing her in her bathing suit which was a pretty royal blue bikini that Chiaki had helped her pick out. She hesitated a moment before standing up and taking her own t-shirt off.

"Are you ready?" she asked him

"Yeah," Jon answered, trying as hard as he could not to stare at her. She was so gorgeous and didn't even seem to realise it.

"Great," Allison said as he fell into step beside her. "Um, you're not going to trick me again, right? I'm not going to get in the water and my hair will turn blue or something?"

"No," Jon promised. "I'm completely trick free Al, I promise."

Allison grinned. "So are you having a good time so far?"

"Definitely," Jon answered as they waded into the lake. "I really like it here."

"Reminds me a little of Brighton," Allison said as she felt the cool water hit her skin. "We haven't been there in a few years though."

Jon nodded. "I think my parents said something about going back again next year."

"I'm sure Josh would love that," Allison said sadly. "He...he told me how much he likes being around the Potters."

Jon smirked. "He's still got such a thing for Jules."

"Yeah," Allison admitted begrudgingly. She wasn't going to spend the afternoon mooning over Josh. He wasn't here and she wanted to have a nice time. She dove under the water and swam out toward the deeper part of the lake.

"Wait up," Jon said, swimming behind her.

Allison emerged and looked for Jon but he was nowhere to be found. "Jon?"

Jon had dove deep under the surface and was currently reaching for one of her feet.

She yelped as she felt something grab at her foot. A few seconds later, Jon came up with a goofy smile on his face. Allison splashed him in retaliation.

"You scared me!" she said, laughing.

"That's what you get for leaving me behind," he said splashing her back.

"Hey!" she squealed, splashing him again, laughing as she got a wave of water right in his face.

Jon tugged at her arm. "Are you still ticklish, Al?"

"Jon!" she tried to pull away. "Don't!" Allison began to laugh as he reached under the water and squeezed her side.

"Not until I get you," Jon said with a mischievous grin.

"No way!" Allison yelped, still laughing as she tried to pull herself over to shallower water.

Jon wouldn't let her get away that easily and he grabbed her around the waist. "Do you give up?"

"No!" she tried to push him away.

As she did so, she dunked him under water. He emerged a moment later. He pushed the wet hair off his forehead. "Allie Longbottom!"

"Gotcha," she laughed, swimming backwards.

Jon took off after her with a grin on his face. He was enjoying himself and what was even better Allison seemed to be doing the same.

"Jon!" Allison squealed.

He laughed as he caught up to her. Allison treaded water and didn't notice that one of her straps had fallen off her shoulder. With a tentative hand, he reached out to put it back.

She blushed hard. "Um... thanks..." she said.

"No problem," Jon said with a shy grin. "That's a really nice suit, Al. I've always thought you looked pretty in blue...red's good too. And that green jumper you have..."

Allison blushed even more and laughed shyly. "Thanks Jon."

Jon cursed himself for saying something like that. She probably thought he was a complete idiot. "I'm sorry about the other night..."

"The other night?" Allison asked.

"About not going on our walk," Jon said quickly. "I had to watch Drew and Darla for my mum."

"Oh it's okay," Allison replied. "I understand."

Jon smiled at her. "And I really am sorry about the silly string incident..."

"You apologised about that already," Allison reminded him.

"Like twelve times," Jon said. "But I really want to make sure you're not mad about it."

"I'm not, I promise," Allison said as her feet touched the sandy bottom of the lake. She began to walk backwards towards the shore when something sharp cut into her heel. "OW!" she cried.

"Al?" Jon asked, concern etched across his face. "What is it?"

"I stepped on something sharp," Allison hobbled back to the shore.

Jon put his arm around her for support and led her back over to her chaise lounge. He bent down to take a better look. Her foot was bleeding and Jon grabbed for his towel.

"Ouch," Allison gritted her teeth together. "I think there was a broken bottle or something in there."

"It's going to be okay," Jon reassured her applying pressure to her foot.

"I think I should go get it bandaged up," Allison looked at the redheaded young man bending in front of her. She was certainly seeing a different, sweeter side to Jon Weasley right now.

"My mum can help," Jon offered. "She's an old pro at bandaging me and Josh up. I can walk you back to our cabin..."

"Thanks," Allison said softly. "This is really nice of you Jon."

Jon smiled at her. "It's my pleasure. "

He tried to help her to her feet, but she winced as she tried to put weight on it. "Um, I think we may have to..."

"I can just hop," Allison began but he lifted her easily.

"This okay?" he asked.

"Sure," Allison said, feeling trembly all over. She wasn't sure if it was from her foot throbbing or being so close to Jon, who was still shirtless.

"You didn't know I could be nice," Jon teased. "But I can do nice...you just have to give me a chance."

"I always thought you were nice," Allison protested as he gathered their things with her still in his arms. "I just didn't... know you all that well."

"I know you're a lot closer to Josh," Jon said starting toward his cabin. "But maybe you and I could...maybe...get to know each other better this summer. Like we did when we were kids."

"Sure," Allison said. "After all, we're married aren't we?"

Jon laughed. "Right...sickness and health and all that, right?"

"Exactly," Allison smiled even though her foot was still killing her.

Jon gingerly carried her the rest of the way and up the stairs to his cabin. "Mum?" he called out.

"Yes, Jon?" Luna came out and her expression changed to worry when she saw her son and Allison. "What's wrong?"

"We were swimming and I stepped on something," Allison replied as Jon set her down on the porch swing.

"Let me see," Luna unwrapped the towel. "Oh my... Jon go inside and get my wand and one of those bandages I brought with."

Jon nodded. "I'll be right back, Al."

"Okay," Allison sat back. "I think it was a broken bottle..."

Jon practically ran into the house to get what his mum had asked for and nearly toppled his little sister in the process.

"You've got blood on your chest!" Darla squealed. "You're in trouuuuuuble!"

"Shut up Darla," Jon said. "It's Allie's."

The smug grin on Darla's face fell as she followed her brother into their parents' room. She hadn't seen Jon this worried since he thought Maddie had stolen one of his lucky jerseys. She followed Jon after he grabbed the bandages and ointment and hurried out of the cabin.

"Darla, sweetheart, go back inside," Luna said gently. "You don't need to see this."

"But Mum--" Darla snapped her mouth shut at the look on her mother's face.

She went back inside, but positioned herself at the door so she could still hear.

Jon sat down beside Allie and took her hand.

Allison smiled tentatively at Jon. "I'll be okay," she said softly.

Luna applied the ointment to Allison's wound and then bandaged it up. "Stay off of it tonight and by tomorrow morning, you won't even know you stepped on anything."

"Thank you so much Luna," Allison said. "Guess we'll have to be a little more careful in the lake next time." she told Jon.

Luna excused herself and left the teenagers alone.

"Next time?" Jon asked hopefully. "You want to go swimming again?"

Allison shrugged. "I'm not going to let a little cut scare me off." she smiled at him. "Thanks for helping me out."

"No problem," Jon said realising that he was still holding her hand. He reluctantly let go.

"I should probably get back to my cabin," Allison said, feeling slightly awkward now. "You know... to get ready for dinner..."

"Let me walk you," Jon offered.

"You don't have to do that--" she declined but he was already on his feet.

"You know you want me to," Jon joked.

"I suppose I can't really get there on my own right now," Allison relented. "Thanks Jon. I really appreciate it."

He didn't carry her this time because he didn't want to push his limits. He put an arm around her and supported her. They didn't say anything for quite some time. "Al?" Jon finally asked her.

"Yeah?" she asked.

"You don't have a boyfriend," Jon said hastily.

Allison blushed. "No," she answered. "My parents think I'm too young... they said once I'm sixteen I could date."

Jon's parents felt the same way and though he was already 16, the only girl he wanted to date had never really paid that much attention to him. But, now was his chance, he thought as he looked sideways at her.

"Is there anyone that you fancy?" he asked boldly.

Her thoughts immediately turned to Josh. "Um..."

"Whoever he is, he's an idiot," Jon said smiling at her. "If you fancied me, I'd...I'd be ..."

"You'd be what?" Allison felt her mouth go dry.

"Lucky," Jon said looking down at the ground. "And I'd ask you out before some bloke beat me to the punch."

Allison felt strangely light headed as she looked at Jon. "What are you saying?" she asked softly.

"Um, well, I'm trying to say that I do fancy you, Allie," Jon said shyly. "And have for quite some time."

Allison felt her eyes grow wide. "YOU do?" she couldn't help but ask.

Jon nodded. "I thought it was pretty obvious."

Now that she thought back on it, it WAS quite obvious. "Oh..." she answered, unsure of what else to say.

Jon wished he could take it back, but it was already out in the open. "Would you want to...maybe do something sometime? With me?"

Allison almost said no, but then thought about it for a split second. It certainly didn't seem as if Josh was ever going to look twice at her, and she could be missing out on something truly fantastic. "I'll ask my parents," she said, her cheeks tingeing pink. "And I'll see if they'll bend the rules a bit."

Jon was so shocked by her response that he let his arm drop from around her shoulder. "Really? "

Allison nearly stumbled. "As long as I don't break an ankle," she joked.

Jon quickly put his arm back around her for support. "Sorry, Al. That's great..."

"I think it would be fun," Allison said. "And you mentioned us getting to know each other better. I'd like that a lot."

"I would too," Jon agreed smiling at her.

***

"I still can't believe you liked Uncle Josh," Caroline said to her mother. "That's wrong!"

Allison laughed. "I got the right brother in the end."

"And you got hurt like I did with the soldier fish," Caroline said. "And Daddy carried you like a princess!"

"Your mum has always been a princess to me," Jon grinned at his wife.

Allison gave him a kiss.

Emma scooted closer to her baby brother's seat. She had taken it upon herself to be Adam's best friend and she made a point not to be too far away from him.

"I think I'm going to go make some popcorn," Jon said. "Who wants some?"

"Em!" Emma raised both her little hands. "Em and Ad-am!"

Jon laughed. "I already knew my little Em would want some. But Adam can't have any popcorn yet."

"He can watch me," Emma said touching Adam's arm. She loved how soft his skin was. "Em sing to Adam."

"Em you're such a good big sister," Caroline said. "I knew you would be."

"Like Sissy," Emma said grinning at Caroline. She turned her attention back to Adam. "Jingle...jingle....bells....all the way!" Emma started to sing.

Adam gurgled and kicked his legs.

"He likes it!" Caroline exclaimed inching closer to them. "Sing more, Em!"

"Sissy sing with me," Emma paused for a moment.

"Okay," Caroline said taking Emma's hand. "Jingle bells..."

Allison grinned as Jon poked his head back into the sitting room. "Have you got the camera handy?" she whispered.

"Yeah, why?" Jon asked.

"Look how cute they are," Allison nodded towards their children.

Jon smiled as he watched his daughters sing to their baby brother. "They are."

"We have the best kids in the world," Allison said as Jon discreetly snapped a few pictures.

"We do," Jon said looking fondly at them.

Emma stood up and started to dance as Caroline continued to sing.

"Get down with your bad self," Allison called to her youngest daughter.

Emma waved her hand to Allison. "Mummy dance too!"

"Go ahead Al," Jon grinned. "No pictures, I promise."

Allison walked over to Emma. "Okay, dancing girl..."

"Dance Mummy," Emma urged.

"Like this?" Allison asked picking Emma up and starting to twirl her around.

Emma shrieked with laughter. "Faster!"

Allison did as she was told and spun Emma around faster.

Caroline walked over to her father. "Come on, Daddy!"

"All right Angel," Jon picked her up easily.

Caroline grinned. "Dip me, Daddy!"

"One dip coming right up," Jon dipped her back so low her hair touched the floor.

"I love it when you do that," Caroline said happily.

"One more time then," Jon spun her around.

Allison and Emma looked at them and before long Emma requested the same from her mother. Allison did as she requested and when she brought Emma back up she gave her a kiss on the cheek. "Thank you for being so sweet to Adam, Em."

"Em loves Adam," Emma said to her mother.

Allison nodded. "And I know that he loves you too, very, very much. Just like me and Daddy."

Emma hugged her mother. "Mummy?"

"Yes, Em?" Allison asked as she patted Emma's back.

"Is Han Em's cousin now?" she asked.

Allison smiled. "Yes, she is, sweetheart. Hannah's name is now Hannah Emily Barron."

Emma grinned. "Han is Em's best, best friend."

"I know," Allison said softly. "And you're Hannah's. You're such a sweet girl, Em. I'm very proud of you for being so nice to Hannah and being her friend."

Emma grinned and giggled, burying her face in Allison's shoulder.

"I can't believe you're going to be three," Allison said still moving her feet back and forth. "You're growing up so fast, Emma."

"I'm a big girl now," Emma said as Allison dipped her back again.

"You'll still be my baby," Allison said smiling at her. "Always."

"Emma," Caroline said. "Let's do that one dance again, okay?"

"Kay!" Emma exclaimed as Allison set her down. The two girls stood in front of the room and did a dance that they'd learned from Cho. Allison picked Adam up from the bouncy seat and cradled him in her arms. "Hey little guy," she whispered.

Adam pursed his tiny lips and cooed up at her.

"Even with the brown hair, he looks more and more like me everyday, don't you think?" Jon asked mimicking his son's facial expression.

Allison laughed. "Definitely," she said. "Although he's got a slight tinge of red in there. And he's got your blue eyes."

"So did Caroline for the first two months," Jon reminded her. "Now hers are as brown as yours."

"True," Allison pressed her lips to Adam's forehead.

Jon smiled at her. "I'm really glad you changed your mind about me all those years ago, Al."

"Me too," she agreed. "Once I got to know you..."

"And realised there was more to me than silly string and stupid pranks, right?" Jon asked with a grin.

"Much, much more." Allison gave him a kiss.

"Well," Jon said still grinning at her. "I have a bit of a proposition for you..."

"Do you now?" she asked coyly.

"I like what you're thinking, but it's not that," Jon said nudging her. "It has to do with the pub."

"Oh?" Allison passed Adam to her husband.

Adam let out a small cry at the disruption, but quickly calmed when Jon patted his back gently.

"Well, Vic and I were talking about revamping the menu," Jon explained.

"Really?" Allison asked. "Like how?"

"Having more sandwiches and soups," Jon replied. "And opening earlier for lunch. And since you are the best cook I know, including my nana, but don't you ever tell her I said that..."

"My lips are sealed," Allison grinned. "But I'm not sure I'm that great. Besides, I love working at the studio."

"Em? Caroline?" Jon asked his two daughters who stopped dancing. "Who's the best cook in the whole wide world?"

"Mummy is," Caroline said without hesitation.

"Mummy!" Emma chimed in.

"See?" Jon asked. "And you wouldn't have to quit working at the studio...just give us some ideas. You know the menu we have now and Vic and I think you'd be the best person for the job, Al."

Allison softened. "I'll come in after Christmas and take a look," she said.

"Fantastic," Jon said giving her another kiss.

"Kissy face," Emma giggled.

"Kissy face, eh?" Allison asked.

"I'll show you a kissy face," Jon set Adam in his bouncy chair and scooped Emma up.

Emma giggled as Jon kissed her cheeks and then her forehead. "Daddy!"

"That's a kissy face," Jon laughed. "That's the biggest kissy face of them all."

Allison grinned as she watched her husband with their daughters. He really was a great father and a wonderful husband. And even though they'd had their share of problems over the years, there wasn't anything she'd do different.

*** *** ***

Puddlemere's annual Christmas party was already underway when RJ arrived with Alexa. This was the first party he'd been able to bring her to since he'd gotten on the team and he really wanted her to get to know his team mates and vice versa.

RJ waved at some of his team mates and their dates. The party was being held at one of the poshest hotels in London and every member of the team was there along with the staff of the organization. The only person RJ didn't see was Frankie and Will Barron, but he already knew they weren't planning to attend because they chose to spend their time with their new daughter.

Alexa stared at the surroundings with her mouth agape. Everyone here looked so much...older, for want of a better word.

"Come on," RJ squeezed her hand. "Let's go get a drink."

Alexa nodded and followed him to the bar where he was greeted enthusiastically by one of his older team mates.

"Oi!" Scanlon yelled slapping RJ on the back. "Who let you in?"

"Obviously they're letting anyone in off the streets if you're here," RJ retorted playfully.

Scanlon laughed and noticed Alexa. "Is this your little sister?"

"No stupid," RJ replied. "This is my girlfriend Lexie."

"The schoolgirl," Scanlon chuckled. "Hello, little girl..."

"Hi," Alexa said in a high-pitched voice.

RJ put his arm around her and sent Scanlon a dirty look. "She only has a year and a half left," he replied. "Then she'll be with me all the time."

Alexa smiled and leaned against him.

"What can I get you to drink?" the bartender asked RJ.

"Vodka tonic," RJ replied. "Lex what do you want?"

"Diet soda, please," Alexa replied which caused Scanlon to snort.

"Don't you want anything... alcoholic?" RJ asked her. "I mean, they'll make you something really good here."

"I've never had anything like that," Alexa whispered in his ear. "I don't know how I'd react to it, RJ. Diet soda is fine, really."

"All right," he said, leaning over to order her drink.

"The band they got is rubbish," Scanlon said conversationally to Alexa.

"What?" she jumped. "Oh... I've never actually heard them before..."

"Upper management's idea," Scanlon said derisively. "They thought this lot would be conservative. Hopefully Serena will sing..."

"She's here?" Alexa's face fell.

"She's my date," Scanlon said proudly. "Traded up from RJ..."

Alexa knew her boyfriend had been avoiding Serena ever since the episode in the pub, but she'd rather been hoping the blonde singer wouldn't be anywhere near there that night.

RJ handed Alexa her glass and grinned at her. "So what lies has this arse been telling you about me?"

"Um... nothing really," Alexa forced a smile onto her face. "We were talking about the band."

"They're not bad, are they?" RJ asked.

"I wouldn't know," Alexa nervously took a sip of her drink.,

"You want to join us?" Scanlon asked. "We've got a table in the back..."

"Sure," RJ said without even asking Alexa if it was okay. He was apparently unaware who Scanlon's date was.

Alexa fell into step behind them and wished that Frankie Barron was here. She knew the older woman through Saffron and she liked her immensely. As it was, she didn't know anyone here and she felt as if she didn't belong. Her dress was all wrong and she looked like a little girl playing dress up with a bunch of prettier, more sophisticated girls.

"Come on, Lex," RJ said stopping to wait for her. "Where's your head tonight?"

"Sorry," she muttered.

He smiled at her. "They're going to love you, just like I do."

She smiled more genuinely at him. "I hope so," she answered.

They finally made it over to the table where the rest of RJ's team mates and their dates were gathered. Serena smiled flirtatiously at RJ. "RJ..."

RJ's face froze in a smile. "Hi Serena," he said as cordially as possible.

"I saved you a seat," Serena cooed.

"Um... thanks." RJ slid his arm around his girlfriend.

"And who's this?" Serena asked as Alexa sat down beside her.

"Alexa O'Leary," Alexa introduced herself, even though they'd met before.

"The famous Alexa," Serena said giving Alexa the once-over. "That's a really...cute dress...wherever did you get it?"

"Lavender Brown's studio," Alexa lied. "She's my best friend's aunt."

Serena looked quizzically at her. "I was just in her boutique the other night and I don't recall seeing that particular design."

"It's um... from her Muggle designs. Brand new. She let me and Saffron take first pick out of them." Alexa covered quickly.

"How nice," Serena said haughtily.

"Fashion is so boring," Scanlon said. "How about we talk about how fantastic I played in the last match?"

"That'd be good for---what? Thirty seconds?" RJ joked. And before long, he and his team mates were embroiled in a running commentary on every play of the last match. Alexa tried to pay attention, but the boys had so many inside jokes that she couldn't keep up. Making matters worse, Serena seemed to be fitting in quite well.

She slowly drank her diet soda, trying to think of something that would occupy her thoughts and make the night go by faster.

"You're leaving Alexandra out," Serena pointed out to RJ. "What is it that you like to do for fun, Alexandra?"

"It's Alexa," she corrected. "And I really like to--"

"So RJ," Serena interrupted. "How come you haven't come by to see me lately?"

RJ shifted uncomfortably in his seat. "Well, I---I----I haven't had much free time..."

"I've come to see you a lot," Scanlon slung an arm around the blonde.

"You are always good for a laugh, Todd," Serena said flirtatiously. "Almost as good as my RJ..."

"MY RJ is always good for a laugh," Alexa said a bit sharply. She may not feel like she fit in but she wasn't going to sit back and let Serena move in on him."

Serena giggled. "Isn't it past your bedtime?"

Alexa narrowed her eyes and wished Saffron was there. Her friend would have no problem setting this girl straight.

"Ease up, Serena," RJ warned her. He put a comforting arm around his girlfriend. "She's my guest and I expect you to treat her nice."

"Oh RJ," Serena batted her eyes. "Alexandra knows I was kidding around."

"My name is Alexa," Alexa corrected again trying to keep her composure. She could feel everyone looking at her and she just wished she and RJ could leave. She pushed back from her chair. "I--I think I need some fresh air. Excuse me..."

"Lexie--" RJ's voice was swallowed up behind her as she pushed through the crowd.

"She's really a lot of fun," Serena said sarcastically causing Todd to chuckle.

"It'd be nice if you lot would actually talk to her and not poke fun," RJ slammed back the rest of his drink and got up to go after her.

Outside on the balcony, Alexa shivered wishing she'd thought to get her cloak. Tears welled up in her eyes as she looked down at the crowded sidewalk below.

"Lex?" RJ shoved his way out the door.

Alexa stubbornly wiped at her eyes, but didn't turn around.

"Hey," RJ came up behind her. "Lexie what's wrong?"

"I shouldn't have come," Alexa whispered.

"What?" RJ rubbed her arms. "Of course you should have come. You're here with me, I want you with me."

Alexa sniffed. "I don't belong with your friends. They think I'm a child."

"Who cares what they think?" RJ wrapped his arms around her.

Alexa leaned against him as a tear fell down her cheek.

RJ didn't notice this as he kissed the side of her head. "Come on... let's go have some fun. We'll dance and we don't have to hang with Scanlon and Serena. If I'd known she was his date I'd have never gone back there."

"Just the two of us?" Alexa asked softly.

"Sure," RJ replied, even though he knew that was most likely not possible, given the crowded atmosphere inside.

Alexa looked up to meet his gaze and he noticed the tears in her eyes. "Hey..."

"I just don't fit in here," she said softly. "With any of this. Your life outside school is so different from mine."

"You always fit in with me," RJ said cupping her face in his hands. "Nothing has changed, Lexie."

"Everything has changed RJ," Alexa said emphatically. "Everything!"

RJ sighed in frustration. "We're still the same people, Alexa."

Alexa simply shook her head. "I look like a fool in there RJ," she said, her voice wobbling dangerously. "I feel like I'm five years old playing dress up in my mother's clothes. And then people like Serena Starr come along and make me feel completely stupid because I don't know who or what they're talking about."

"I thought you got over this insecurity of yours," RJ said quietly.

Alexa let out a disbelieving scoff and turned back around.

RJ rolled his eyes. "You know I understood this when you were 14 and had braces, but this is getting old, Alexa."

"Oh excuse me," Alexa said sarcastically. "For being a little uncomfortable around the girl you were caught snogging after almost getting me pregnant. For not understanding Quidditch as well as you or Saffron or Andrew."

"I KNEW IT!" RJ exclaimed shaking his head. "You're still not over that! How many times do I have to tell you that meant nothing!"

"I can't believe you're getting annoyed with ME over this," Alexa's voice shook. "I forgave you for that but it doesn't mean I trust her!"

"I'm not interested in her!" RJ retorted. "And how do you think I felt this summer when you and that Finnigan bloke were talking all the bloody time about literature and history and that stupid crap..."

"So you're saying I can't have my own interests now?" Alexa shot back. "At least you had Andrew there! I have no one here but you!"

"Quit twisting my words around!" RJ hissed.

"I'm not!" Alexa said angrily.

"Need I remind you that after you snogged that twat I took you back," RJ said icily. "I forgave you."

"And after you messed around with Christina for a few MONTHS, I took you back," Alexa snapped.

"She drugged me!" RJ pointed out.

"I still took you back," Alexa lowered her voice. "Without question. Just like when you came to Hogwarts. I didn't want to see you then, but I stayed to hear you out."

Another couple stepped out on the balcony and RJ bit back his response. He couldn't believe they were arguing on what should have been a fun night. If only she'd made more of an effort with his friends, they wouldn't be out here like this.

Alexa also noticed the couple. "Look," she said quietly. "I just want to go home, all right? You can stay here with your friends but I'm leaving."

"I'll see you home," RJ insisted. "I promised your parents..."

"No," Alexa pulled away. "I may not be as grown up as some of your friends in there but I can get home myself."

RJ stared at her. "This isn't working..."

"I know how to get a taxi," Alexa said, thinking he meant her going home alone.

"No," RJ said shaking his head. "This. You and me."

146. 146- Ron and Luna interview!!!

A/N: Thank you all, for your reviews last chapter- a lot of you were pretty surprised at RJ… but wait…. Mwahaha. Also, please make sure to see Ron and Luna’s interview at the end of the chapter. Next week… RJ and Andrew are due… don’t be TOO harsh on him now!

And thanks for your support with our anonymous basher, but things have smoothed over now, and it turned out that person is actually quite nice :) but it’s good to see you guys so proactive for us. Made us a little verklempt ;)

She literally felt her heart stop beating for a moment.

"You know I'm right, Lex," RJ said quietly.

"So we're just going to call it quits now?" her voice was weak. "After everything we've been through, it all ends here?"

"I still love you," RJ told her reaching for her hand, but she pulled it away.

"If you loved me you wouldn't do this," she answered.

"I don't want to do this," RJ said quietly.

Alexa wanted to tell him not to do this, but deep down she knew that he was indeed right. "I don't want to lose you," she said, new tears welling up in her eyes.

"I don't want to lose you either," RJ said after the other couple finally went back inside. "Lexie, I've never felt for anyone what I felt for you, but maybe...maybe we got too serious too soon and you're right, our lives right now are too different."

She didn't say anything, only looked down at her feet.

"Let me see you home," he said.

Alexa didn't want to argue anymore. She only nodded and turned to go back inside.

RJ said a few goodbyes to his team mates and told Alexa to wait for him while he went to get their cloaks.

She leaned against the wall and watched the crowd without really seeing them.

Two impeccably dressed girls walked by her gossiping about something. They stopped near Alexa. "Serena is shameless, isn't she? Showing up with Todd Scanlon and all the time flirting with RJ Weasley..."

"Tell me about it," the other girl replied. "She's had quite the eye for him since he joined the team. I've never seen her like that for any other guy."

"Did he come here with anyone?" her friend asked.

"Some girl," she replied. "Apparently she's a real stick in the mud."

"Oh really?" the other girl giggled. "Well, she'll be history once Serena kicks her plan into high gear..."

"What plan?" the first girl asked.

"Apparently, she's got big plans for that road trip over New Year's," her friend replied. "Big plans."

"Big surprise," the one girl laughed. "RJ won't know what hit him."

Alexa didn't want to hear anymore. She turned to walk away and nearly collided with RJ who handed over her cloak. "Ready?"

"Yeah," she muttered.

RJ nodded and led the way out of the hotel. They took the stairs in silence and RJ hailed a taxi. He was about to give the driver Alexa's home address when Alexa shook her head. "I want to go to Saffy's."

"Why?" he asked.

"She's my best friend," Alexa said quietly.

RJ pressed his lips together but gave the driver a residential address near the Leaky Cauldron.

Alexa looked out the window trying to stave off her tears. She couldn't believe they were ending like this.

He got out of the taxi with her once they'd reached their destination. "Lex--" he began.

She held up her hand. "I can make it the rest of the way alone."

"I just wanted to say... I'll ring you in a few days, once we have some time to cool off and think about things," he replied.

Alexa had a feeling she wouldn't hear from him again for quite some time. "Happy Christmas, RJ."

He made a move as if to kiss her, but kept his distance. "Yeah... you too Lexie..." RJ answered a bit hoarsely.

Alexa turned around and walked away knowing he was watching her.

RJ made sure she got into the Leaky Cauldron before heading to a nearby alley where he could Apparate. He thought about going home but decided against it. He didn't get a chance to go to a party like the one going on very often and there was no better way to keep his mind off this current situation than to go have a good time.

At the Potter house, Saffron was sitting with Andrew in the sitting room playing a game of chess. "You really should quit, Kirke. I've beaten you three times already."

"A Kirke never gives up," he joked. "One of these times I'll kick your arse Potter."

"That'll be the day," Saffron said smugly. She laughed at the look of concentration on her boyfriend's face. "Are you going to make your move anytime this century?"

"I just want to make the best one," he said, carefully studying the board.

"It's not like you're losing if you don't win," Saffron replied, stretching. "You get to snog me either way."

"I know," Andrew said. "But it's a matter of pride now, Saf. I have to win at least once."

"Well it's a boost to your ego then knowing that I don't plan to let you win." Saffron said.

"You never let anyone win," Andrew teased.

"Damn right," She grinned at him.

"Okay," Andrew said returning his attention to the board. "Knight to E4."

Saffron wrinkled her nose. "That's a good move..."

"It is," Andrew said defensively. "What's that look for?"

"It's too good a move," she grumbled.

"Do I detect a bit of fear?" Andrew asked triumphantly.

"Of course not," she covered hastily.

"Uh-huh," Andrew said leaning back in his chair.

"Don't get all smug on me now," Saffron looked at him.

"Quit talking, it's your---" Andrew started to say.

The sound of someone knocking on the door made them both turn. "I wonder who that is..." Saffron said curiously, getting up.

"Probably a photographer from the Prophet wanting to witness the moment when the great Saffron Potter goes down at chess," Andrew teased.

"Sod off," Saffron pushed her hair back as she headed for the front door.

When she opened the door, she gasped. "Alexa?"

"Saffy," Alexa's eyes were red. "It's really over this time..."

"What?" Saffron asked taken aback. "Lexie..."

Andrew came up behind them. "Alexa?" he asked. "What happened?"

Saffron stood back so her friend could come inside out of the cold. Alexa sniffed and wiped at her eyes. "RJ and I...we...broke...up."

"You broke up?" Andrew asked disbelievingly.

"What did the wanker do now?" Saffron narrowed her eyes.

She explained for them what had gone down at the party. "We've grown apart since he graduated and he thinks it would be best if we took a break."

"I'm sorry Lex," Saffron hugged her best friend.

"Me too," Alexa said as she finally gave into her sobs.

Andrew felt terrible for the redheaded girl. "Is there anything I can do?" he asked.

Alexa shook her head.

"Maybe I should get going," Andrew said, looking at his girlfriend.

"Don't go,' Alexa apologised. "I don't want to interrupt..."

"It's okay," Andrew replied. "I understand. You need Saffy more than I do at the moment."

Saffron gave her boyfriend a hug. "I'll ring you tomorrow, okay?"

"Sure," Andrew gave her a quick kiss. "Love you," he whispered in her ear.

"Love you," Saffron replied. She walked Andrew over to the fireplace. "Tell RJ he's a pompous, arrogant git."

"I'm sure he'll take that in stride," Andrew tossed some powder in and disappeared.

Alexa slid off her cloak and set it over a chair before joining Saffron on the sofa. "I can't believe its over, Saffron."

"It may not be," Saffron tried to sound encouraging. "I mean, if it's just a break, then you both have time to think things over and can work it out."

Alexa shook her head. "It's different this time. It seemed final."

Saffron wished she could make her friend feel better. "Then it's RJ's loss," she said. "You're a great girl Lexie."

"Tonight was supposed to be special," Alexa said softly. "And it just felt so wrong the moment we stepped into that ballroom. I didn't belong with those people."

"Didn't he even try to convince you to stay?" Saffron asked.

"At first," Alexa replied. "But he said...he said that I was being insecure and that I'd never really gotten over what had happened with Christina and Serena."

Saffron shook her head. "He's so lucky I wasn't there..."

Alexa started to cry again. "After all we went through, it's really over."

Saffron put an arm around her. "I'm really sorry Lex," she said softly.

"Me too," Alexa said sadly.

"What a cow that Serena Starr is," Saffron said angrily. "She and RJ deserve each other."

"Some girls were talking about her," Alexa wiped her eyes. "They said she had big plans for the road trip over New Year's with RJ..."

Saffron rolled her eyes. "I hope they both get a disease.”

Try as she might, Alexa couldn't stop from laughing a little at her friend's brash remark.

Saffron nudged her friend. "It really is his loss, Lex."

"I'm glad one of us thinks that way," Alexa said quietly. "Can I stay here tonight Saf?"

"Of course," Saffron said without hesitation. "You want to ring your folks and let them know?"

"Sure," Alexa said.

"We can watch those old sappy movies we love so much and eat rubbish," Saffron said smiling at her.

"Lots of chocolate?" Alexa asked.

"Duh," Saffron said rolling her eyes. "Who goes through a break-up without chocolate?"

"No one I guess," Alexa stood up. "I'll probably need some pyjamas. I can't wait to get out of this dress."

"You can borrow some of mine," Saffron said. "I'll go and get you a pair while you ring your mum."

"Thanks Saffy," Alexa hugged her. "I'm so glad I can count on you. And I'm really sorry I interrupted your night with Andrew."

"Nonsense," Saffron said. "I'm your best friend and you'd do the same for me and have."

“I guess,” Alexa replied as she dialled her phone number from Saffron’s mobile.

Saffron went upstairs to get some pyjamas for Alexa and to give her friend some privacy. She couldn't believe RJ. The next time she saw him she was going to ...well, she didn't really know what she would do, but she knew it would involve yelling and maybe a swift kick in the arse.

She pulled out a comfortable pair of pyjamas for her friend and headed back downstairs. Her parents were due home in about an hour but she knew they wouldn't mind Alexa staying.

"Mum, will you please tell Daddy that I'm really at Saffy's," Alexa was saying. "I'm not at RJ's. Saffy's right here..."

"Want me to talk to her?" Saffron asked.

Alexa shook her head and returned her attention back to the phone. "No, mum. The party was okay...I just wasn't feeling well and RJ dropped me off at Saffy's."

Saffron sat down and Puddles climbed into her lap. "Tell her if she wants I'll have my parents ring them when they get home," she whispered.

Alexa did just that and that finally seemed to pacify her parents. "Yes, I'll work tomorrow morning, Mum. Okay...I love you, too."

"Didn't believe you eh?" Saffron handed Alexa the pyjamas.

Alexa shook her head. "I should have just told them that they didn't have to worry about me ever going to RJ's again."

Saffron nodded sympathetically. "I'm going to make some popcorn and get the chocolate ice cream while you change."

Alexa nodded. "I'll just go upstairs to wash my face..."

"Okay," Saffron smiled at her as Puddles followed her eagerly to the kitchen.

Alexa grabbed her cloak and the pyjamas and went upstairs to get changed. She wondered if RJ felt like she did right now---empty.

What RJ currently felt was anything but empty. He was slamming down his sixth shot of Firewhisky and ready for more.

Serena had been watching him from afar. She didn't know where his little girlfriend was, but since she was out of sight, she was probably out of mind, too. Seeing her chance, Serena sauntered over to the bar. "Hiya, handsome."

"Hey..." RJ slurred a bit.

"It's not good for you to drink alone," she purred running her hand up and down his arm. "You really are quite strong..."

"Yeah I know," he grinned at her.

"Where's the killjoy?" Serena asked sitting down beside him, making sure to give him a perfect shot of her cleavage as she did so.

"Who?" RJ asked.

"Alexa O'Dreary," Serena replied with a grin.

"She's.... home..." RJ waved his hand.

Serena smiled. "Not really her scene, eh?"

"You can say that again," his eyes latched onto her low cut dress. "Whoa..."

"You like?" Serena asked coyly.

"Uh huh..." RJ nodded.

Serena draped an arm over his shoulder. "What do you say we go back to yours?"

"My what?" he grinned at her.

"Your place, silly," Serena replied leaning in to nibble at his ear. "You know you want to..."

RJ closed his eyes for a moment as she pressed her lips to his neck.

"I know how to have a good time," she whispered against his skin. "And I have a feeling you do too."

"What about..." RJ couldn't remember the name of his team mate as she began to work her hand under his shirt.

"Who cares?" Serena purred.

His head was screaming for him to put a stop to this while the rest of him was enjoying it entirely too much. "Serena..." he mumbled. "I already got in trouble for this once..."

"I won't tell if you won't," Serena said taking his hand and leading him back toward the door.

"Too soon," RJ pulled his hand away.

Serena pouted up at him. "You can't deny that you want me..."

RJ stared at her, blinking as the alcohol he consumed made its way through his system.

"Hmmm?" Serena asked in a husky voice.

"I don't know..." RJ pushed his hair out of his eyes.

"Maybe this will help you decide," Serena said boldly before pressing her lips to his.

RJ's eyes shot open wide before closing of their own volition. His arms snaked around Serena's slender waist and pulled her close.

Serena knew she had him right where she wanted him. "Let's go....'

"Okay..." he finally conceded.

They somehow made it back to RJ's place sometime later and RJ felt as if he was on fire. He fumbled with his keys as he finally opened the door. They didn't notice Andrew sitting on the sofa.

"Come on baby," Serena purred. "You never did show me your bedroom..."

"That's not all I'm going to show you," RJ said in a low voice as he kissed her again.

Andrew cleared his throat loudly.

Serena giggled and looked over RJ’s shoulder. "Hi, Andy!"

"What?" RJ turned around to see his best friend glaring at him and Serena.

"This certainly isn't who I thought you'd be bringing home tonight," Andrew said icily.

"You're mad at me about Alexa," RJ stumbled a bit. "But it's none of your business."

"It's my business when you're fixing to fuck up the best thing in your life," Andrew retorted. "And you're pissed, RJ."

"So what?" RJ asked defensively.

Andrew shot a look at Serena. "Would you mind giving us a minute?"

"Sure," Serena said. "I'll be waiting for you..." she ran her hand over RJ's chest.

Andrew rolled his eyes as he watching RJ stare longingly after Serena. "You don't want to do this, mate."

"How do you know what I want?" RJ glared at him.

"I've been your best friend since we were 11, RJ," Andrew reminded him. "And you love Alexa. She's at Saffy's. Look, I'll brew you up a sobering potion and you go and straighten this out."

"We're over, mate." RJ said, shaking his head. "I can't handle it anymore."

"So, that's it?" Andrew asked him.

"Quit trying to make me feel guilty!" RJ snapped at him.

"That's you, mate," Andrew retorted. "If you go back there, you can pretty much kiss Alexa goodbye forever. Is that what you want?"

"She doesn't want to be with me either," RJ defended himself. "She comes to the party and acts like a wallflower then runs off and picks a fight with me! What am I supposed to do?"

"She's shy," Andrew said in her defence. "She's not one for stuff like that, but she went because she knew that it was important to you."

"And she was all uptight the whole half hour we were there," RJ rolled his eyes.

Andrew shook his head. "Go ahead then...it's your funeral. Go shag Serena. And then you can watch when someone like Gabriel Boyd comes along and takes Alexa away."

"Don't you bring that asshole up to me," RJ narrowed his eyes at Andrew.

"Touch a nerve?" Andrew asked.

"Sod off," RJ replied angrily.

"Do what you want," Andrew said. "I'm going to bed."

"So am I," RJ said shortly.

Andrew shot him a look before walking past him.

RJ headed for his own bedroom and slammed the door behind him for good measure.

Serena had already stripped off her clothes and was lying underneath the duvet wearing nothing but her seductive smile. "I thought you'd forgotten about me."

RJ didn't want to admit that he indeed had forgotten. "Sorry," he grunted.

There was a picture of Alexa beside his bed and his eyes fell on it. She smiled shyly at him as the wind whipped at her hair. He remembered taking that picture last summer at Brighton.

Serena saw what he was looking at and reached over to put it face down on the table. "Come on RJ..." she ran her fingers over her neckline.

"Lexie," RJ whispered closing his eyes.

"No," Serena said. "Not Lexie..."

RJ opened his eyes and looked at her. It wouldn't be wrong, he tried to rationalise. He and Alexa were on a break.

"You know you want this," Serena ran her fingernails through his hair. "I've been waiting for this since I met you..."

"You have?" RJ asked trying to focus on her, but everything seemed distorted.

"Mmmhmm..." she leaned in and kissed him.

RJ gave in and pressed her back down on the bed.

Serena purred in delight. Finally, finally she had gotten him.

A couple of hours later, RJ awoke and felt as if his head was about to explode.

He blinked, not really aware of his surroundings. He felt someone's head on his chest and he looked down. "Lexie?"

"Mmmm," he heard someone mumble.

"Lex I feel like I'm about to die..." he moaned.

"Don't throw up on me," he heard her say as she turned away from him.

"I won't," he said, pushing the covers back. RJ turned to look at her and was stunned to see a mane of blonde hair falling over the sheets. "Lex when did you dye your hair?"

"What are you talking about?" Serena asked grumpily sitting up.

RJ shook his head to clear his vision. "When did you get here?"

Serena rolled her eyes. "You brought me here, RJ."

"I did?" he asked.

"Yes," she said before lying back down. "When you feel better, could you bring me some juice? I'm thirsty."

RJ finally noticed that they were both completely naked. "Serena did we... did we have--"

"Twice," Serena said triumphantly.

He stared at her. "Twice?"

"One and a half if you want to get technical," Serena said with a giggle. "You were really out of it that last time."

RJ didn't know what to say. "Oh..." he finally replied.

Serena closed her eyes and tried to go back to sleep. RJ went into the bathroom to splash cold water on his face. He heard a knock on the door and wondered who would be calling on him now. He remembered something about making plans with Josh and he threw on a pair of boxers and a t-shirt. He tried to get his mind straight as to what he'd done as he walked toward the door. The person standing on the other side of the door wasn't Josh, but Alexa. She gave him a tentative smile. "Hi."

"Hi..." RJ stared at her. "What... what are you doing here?"

She bit her bottom lip. "I think we should talk, RJ."

"Um..." RJ looked towards the bedroom.

Alexa walked past him and into the flat. "I didn't sleep much last night. I kept thinking about what happened and I think we've been through too much to have it end like this. I love you."

"Lex..." RJ followed her. "Now's really not a good time. I had a lot to drink last night--"

"I had a lot of chocolate last night," Alexa admitted. "Look, I can make you a hangover potion and then we can go out for breakfast before I start my shift at the bakery."

"Josh is supposed to come over," RJ covered.

"Oh," Alexa said quietly. He didn't want her here. She knew it'd been a mistake to come over here.

"He really is," RJ replied. "We were supposed to do something together- Christmas shopping or whatever."

Alexa nodded. "Well, maybe you could stop by the bakery when you're done. We could have a nice chat."

RJ nodded. He at least owed her that.

"And I'll save you some of that fudge," Alexa promised.

"Thanks," RJ said with a weak smile.

Alexa squeezed his hand. "I'm sorry for not making much of an effort last night."

"It's okay," his thoughts strayed to Serena in his bedroom. "I uh... I wasn't really myself either."

Alexa felt hopeful for the first time. "So, we'll give it another try? I mean, if that's what you want?"

"We'll talk things out," RJ said. "And figure it out either way."

Alexa smiled. "Promise?"

"Promise," RJ replied.

Alexa leaned in for a kiss.

He turned his cheek, feeling ashamed of himself both for doing that and for his actions the previous evening. "I have morning breath," he said as an excuse. "Plus I feel like I'm about to lose everything in my stomach."

Alexa giggled. "Right."

"I'll see you later," RJ forced himself to smile as he propelled her to the front door.

"RJ," Serena called out, coming out of the bedroom in his t-shirt. "Where are you?"

Alexa froze and stared open mouthed at the blonde.

"Lexie, I can explain," RJ started to say.

"I'm sure you can," her voice shook. "I see why you were so anxious to get me out of here now."

RJ shook his head. "I was pissed..."

"A likely story," Alexa glared at both him and Serena, who was unashamedly leaning against the wall.

"I can't even remember it happening," RJ said and the moment the words were out of his mouth, he knew it was the wrong thing to say.

"I remember it happening," Serena replied. "Twice."

Alexa looked at RJ. "Twice?"

"I don't remember it happening," he said again, cursing his own stupidity.

Alexa felt as if her legs were about to give out. She wanted to get as far away from him as possible.

"I've got to go," she grabbed her bag. "I'm late for work."

"Lexie, wait--" RJ called after her.

Alexa's response was to slam the door behind her, making his forehead crease with the loud sound.

"That was kind of rude," Serena said.

"Why'd you have to come out like that?" he ignored her comment.

"I thought you were going to bring me juice," Serena said rolling her eyes. "I didn't know she was going to be here."

"I'm total shite," RJ rubbed his temples. "I'm the biggest arse on the face of the planet."

"You certainly have one of the nicest arses on the planet," Serena said grinning at him. When he didn't respond, she sighed. "I'm going to take a shower. Feel free to join me."

RJ shook his head and headed for the kitchen to get a sobering potion. He couldn't think straight with this headache.

Karen O'Leary was just putting some fresh pastries in the display case when her daughter came rushing inside.

"Sweetheart, I'm glad you're here..."

"Sorry I'm late," Alexa tried to hide her red eyes but knew it was impossible.

"Alexa?" Karen asked tilting her daughter's chin up so she could get a look at her. "Sweetheart..."

"Mum," Alexa's face crumpled. "Everything's such a mess..."

Karen engulfed her daughter in a hug. "Did something happen with RJ?"

"We broke up," Alexa nodded.

Karen frowned. "Did you have a row?"

Alexa shook her head. "Well yes but... I went over there before I came here this morning and he... he slept with this other girl Mum."

Karen handed her daughter a tissue. "I'm so sorry, Lexie."

"I just feel like such a fool now," Alexa wiped at her eyes.

"I know it doesn’t' seem like it now, but you'll get over this," Karen said brushing some hair back from her daughter's forehead.

Alexa leaned against her mother. "Right now I just feel so stupid, like I tried to compete in something totally out of my league."

"You listen to me," Karen said. "You are a beautiful, sweet girl and RJ is a fool if he didn't appreciate that."

"You think so?" Alexa asked.

"I know so," Karen said giving her another hug. "A complete, stark-raving idiot."

Alexa smiled a bit. "I want to stay and work," she said softly. "Helps me keep my mind off everything."

"That's my girl," Karen said.

"Thanks Mum," Alexa reached for her apron.

Because of the holiday, the bakery was extremely busy the rest of the day. Alexa was grateful for the distraction.

But to her surprise, RJ was standing outside waiting for her when she and her mother finished up cleaning.

"RJ," Karen said coolly.

"Hi Mrs. O'Leary," RJ said. "Um... is it okay if I walk Alexa home?"

"You most certainly cannot," Karen replied in a crisp tone.

"Mum," Alexa said softly. "It's okay. I have a few things I need to talk about."

"Are you sure?" Karen asked.

Alexa nodded silently,

Karen nodded and then walked away, but not before glaring at RJ one last time.

"You told her?" he asked when they were alone.

"She's my mum," Alexa said scuffing her foot on the ground.

"Right," RJ said. "So um..."

"It looks like snow," Alexa said looking up at the sky.

"Sure does," RJ thrust his hands in his pockets.

Alexa reached into her pocket and pulled out the ring he'd given to her. "Here."

"Lex I gave that to you," he said. "You keep it."

"It was a promise ring," she said still holding it out to him. "But you broke your promise."

"I know I did," he said. "But it's yours."

"I don't want it," Alexa retorted.

"I don't want it either," he said sharply. "I gave it to you and it's yours. Do what you want with it."

Alexa glared at him. "Why did you come here? To rub it in my face?"

"No," RJ replied. "I came here because I owed you an explanation."

Alexa folded her arms.

"I don't really have one," RJ said after a moment. "But what I really owe you is an apology."

"You're sorry you slept with that slag?" Alexa asked. "Or you're sorry I found out about it?"

"Both," RJ didn't try to mince words. "Alexa I never wanted to hurt you."

Alexa looked up at him. "Things haven't been the same since the pregnancy scare."

"No they haven't," he agreed.

"Good thing I wasn't," Alexa said bitterly.

RJ kept silent at that remark. "I know that us staying friends at this point probably isn't a possibility--" he began.

"I can't be around you," Alexa said looking down at the ground. "Not now."

"I understand," he said quietly.

"But we're both friends with Saffron and Andrew so there probably will be times when we'll see each other," Alexa said already dreading that possibility. She hated putting Andrew and Saffron in this sort of position.

"We'll have to manage somehow," RJ replied. "I'm really sorry Lex. I do still love you. I just don't know if we can make this work anymore though."

Alexa nodded.

"And it's not because of Scanlon or Serena or anything... I think we've just grown apart. We're not together enough." he continued.

"We're too different," Alexa said quietly.

"What used to work for us doesn't anymore," he agreed.

Alexa nodded and looked at her watch. "I have to go."

RJ nodded. "Take care of yourself Lex."

"You too," Alexa said pulling her cloak tightly around her.

He wanted to hug her goodbye or something but knew she'd only pull away. "I'll... see you soon I guess."

"Yeah," Alexa said forcing a smile. "Goodbye, RJ."

"Bye Lexie," RJ said, watching her head up to her front door.

It was over and he had what he thought he wanted---freedom. It was the best thing for the both of them, RJ thought.

"Then why do I feel like the world's biggest arse?" he asked himself as he walked away.

DD Cast Interviews; Week 5: Ron and Luna

Heaven: It's a good thing we have all this food. It means Ron will be here.

Amynoelle: Make sure you tell him I didn't cook it. I'm not the best cook in the world. I can microwave and I can bake, but I cannot cook and I wouldn't want to give him food poisoning.

Heaven: If we want to scare him, we'll tell him Hermione made it.

Amynoelle: We'll only resort to that if he doesn't answer our questions!

Heaven: I'm for it. Hey you two!

Ron: *Speechless*

Luna: You two really went all out! Look at al this food!

Heaven: Yes, yes we did. Help yourselves! We don't want to take any leftovers home with us!

Ron: *Whispers to Luna* What are leftovers?

Luna: You wouldn't know this, but it's when food is left over after a meal. I can't remember that happening...

Ron: Neither can I. I think you've just blown my mind.

Amynoelle: Who has the bigger appetite in the Weasley family? Maddie, you or Emma?

Luna: *laughs* that is one tough call! But I think Ronald still has that covered.

Ron: *happily eating a piece of chicken, nods*

Amynoelle: And congratulations to you both on the recent engagements of Darla and Drew!

Luna: We are so proud and happy for them. And we can't wait for Drew's baby to be born! Another grandchild to spoil...

Heaven: We can't wait to meet the baby too! And speaking of babies, RC and Lillian Potter want to know if you guys are thinking about adopting Caitlin?

Luna: We would love to do that, but Caitlin actually has a family interested in her right now. And they seem like lovely people and I wouldn't want to deny her that.

Heaven: What about Jenny? Any plans for her now that Hannah's been adopted?

Luna: She actually has a visit scheduled next week with a family.

Amynoelle: Dysfunctionalspirit's question for you both is what was it like raising a big family like you have and then becoming foster parents?

Ron: Let me finish and I'll help answer this one.

Luna: *laughs* Well... I had empty nest quite badly. I missed having my children around, and when I saw how overcrowded those orphanages were, I just felt compelled to help somehow.

Ron: At first I was sceptical because we were looking forward to having time on our own, but the house really was empty and quiet, for once! And Luna really wanted to do this and I couldn't help but want to do it too. And though things can get really crazy it has been a rewarding experience.

Amynoelle: Even Zach and Joey?

Ron: Sometimes...

Luna: Ronald, Joey and Zach and very sweet boys.

Ron: Luna they're like Fred and George all over again!

Heaven: Ron- that reminds me of a question from Royal Jade. You grew up with Fred and George as your older brothers. Now you have twin sons yourself. Has that ever made you relate to RJ as he's younger? Did Jon and Josh pull pranks on RJ as your brothers did on you?

Ron: Wow, that's a great question. Well, unlike me with Fred and George, there was a bit of an age difference between Jon and Josh and RJ. I grew up with Fred and George basically using me as their guinea pig from the word go. Jon and Josh waited until RJ grew up before they started to play pranks on him. Mostly they like taking the piss on him and vice versa. And I can certainly relate to that.

Heaven: Do you ever step in to stop them? Or does RJ deal with it well enough on his own?

Luna: Sometimes we've had to step in, but that was when RJ was younger. But, he handles it pretty well on his own.

Ron: We'd know that if we ever saw our son.

Luna: Ronald, he's just busy is all.

Ron: Right...

Heaven: Coolman has a question, more directed towards Luna. You have given a home to so many orphans. But how will you deal if they get a good home and are adopted? Won't it be tough to see them go after having raised them like your own children?

Luna: It really is tough because you get so attached to them. I remember when I dropped Hannah off at Will and Frankie's and I came home. I was so happy for her, but I missed her at the same time. I cried the entire evening because I missed her so much. She really is the sweetest little girl and I just wanted her to have some kind of happiness. But, she belongs with Frankie and Will. And I just want to give all the children a place they can call home if just for a little while.

Amynoelle: Awwww!

Amynoelle: And now we'd like to get into your Hogwarts days. RC wants to know why you were so mean to Luna in school! And be honest, Ronald!

Ron: Um... can I get more of that cake first?

Amynoelle: Answer first, cake later.

Ron: Well um... when I was in school, I was always concerned about what other people thought about me. And what would they have thought if I was going around with Luna? Of course, now I realise how stupid that is...

Amynoelle: We were really ticked off at you when you ran into Parvati at the Ministry cafeteria and didn't seem to take up for Luna. It really hurt Maddie as well who had this really idealized view of you.

Ron: I know... that was pretty stupid. But I was lucky that Luna's so forgiving.

Luna: And that was a long time ago...we've both changed since then and besides, he's hard to stay mad at for long.

Heaven: One last one from RC, for Luna. Why didn't you give up on Ron?

Luna: I had this hopeless crush on him in school and nothing ever came of it. I did kind of give up on it, but in my heart, I knew eventually he'd come around and luckily for me, he did.

Amynoelle: We did love watching you two fall for each other at Hillsdale. Ron was quite endearing!

Ron: *Grins* You know I was a little hesitant about doing this because someone told me that people like you two were militant and didn't like me. But you're not militant at all!

Heaven: We have that reputation, I hear. But contrary to popular belief, we love you Ron!

Amynoelle: We just don't like your sister very much. Which brings us to another question from Lillian Potter. Luna, were you and Ginny best friends at Hogwarts? And if Hermione had gone to Hogwarts, would you have been best friends with her?

Luna: I'd like to think Hermione and I would have been friends. She's quite a lovely person really. And Ginny and I were friends for a few years, but she changed a lot.

Amynoelle: Lillian Potter also wants to know if you think Ginny would come back one day and if she did, would you love her like you did before she ran off with Draco?

Ron: That's a tough question. I love my sister and I always will. I just don't understand most of the things she's done. But she is still my sister and if she ever needed me, I'd be there for her.

Heaven: That's so sweet, Ron. You really are a good brother and father.

Ron: Thanks...oooh! Chocolate chip biscuits!

Heaven: Help yourself! Luna, Royal Jade wants to know if you've ever done something you really regret? She wants Ron to answer that too, but only once he's done chewing.

Luna: Have I ever done something that I really regret? Hmm...looking back I would have to say that what happened between Ron and me and Cho and Neville right after Neville forbid Jon and Allie from seeing each other. That was a terrible time and I hated how it was tearing our friendships apart.

Heaven: I remember how rough that was. But none of it was your fault, really.

Ron: Neville acted like a horse's arse, but that's beside the point and it is water under the bridge now. My biggest regret is that I wasn't nicer to my lovely wife when we were in school. I'd like to go back in time and smack my younger self upside the head for treating Luna the way I did.

Heaven: *laughs* I bet Hermione would arrange for a special time turner just to see that. And Lillian Potter also wants to know if Lavender and Hermione had gone to Hogwarts, would you have had romantic feelings for either of them?

Ron: *Spits out his biscuit and starts to choke*

Luna: Easy Ronald... *pats his back* have some water.

Ron: *drinks*

Amynoelle: Alright?

Ron *nods* Um, no way. Hermione and I would kill each other and Lavender is waayyyyyyyyyyyy too high maintenance for me.

Heaven: I love Lavender, but she seems like the type who'd go overboard and give you things like necklaces...

Amynoelle: And call you Won-Won!

Ron: That's just wrong. Can we move on please?

Heaven: Sure. Coolman has another question for you Ron. Your appetite is world famous. But can you pinpoint the time you ate the most? Please give details of exactly what all you ate.

Ron *ponders question* Oh, okay....there was that time at my ninth birthday...no, no...my graduation feast! I started out with this massive breakfast and I finished off two plates of waffles all by myself. Then, I had about seven or eight pastries. That was enough to tide me over until lunch where I had about seven sandwiches...seven and a half because Seamus couldn't finish his. And then dinner....stew, porkpies, what else...um....

Amynoelle: Antacid? Good grief, Ron!

Heaven: That makes me not want to eat for a week. My hips thank you, Ron.

Amynoelle: Mine too. Rainbow star wants to know, if there is a time of day when you don't get hungry? And how the hell do you keep in shape?

Ron: All Weasleys have the best metabolism. And it's funny, I don't always get hungry, but when I see food, I have to have it.

Luna: Just like he is with me!

Heaven: You two are kind of like the rabbits. We didn't have to ask how THEY stay in shape...

Ron: I AM TRYING TO EAT HERE! DO NOT TALK ABOUT THEM AND THEIR...ACTIVITIES, PLEASE.

Amynoelle: Sorry, but it's true! Orli-Luva wants to ask Ron how he knew he fancied Luna. One minute you disliked her and the next you were in love with her.

Ron: At Hillsdale, so many things were different. I felt independent for the first time in my life, like I didn't have an adult watching me every moment. And I just got to know Luna, and the more I saw her, the more I enjoyed being with her. All those things I thought bothered me in school didn't matter anymore.

Luna: And dancing together like we were, we were in close contact. It was absolutely fantastic!

Ron: Yeah it was... *drops biscuit*

Amynoelle: Oops...we have more. Don't worry.

Ron: There's the ten second rule. It's okay!

Amynoelle: *Shakes head* Orli's last question was for you, Luna. How hard was it for you to break up with Ron all those years ago?

Luna: That was probably one of the scariest moments of my life. Here I had the man of my dreams, and it seemed he didn't want to be with me. Had I known he just wanted to save money so we could live together, things would have been different.

Ron: I didn't like it, either. My stupid pride almost cost me the most important person in my life.

Luna: But it all worked out. When we got together I was happier than I'd ever been.

Heaven: Here's a question for both of you from Coolman. When you found out that you were about to have twins for a second time, didn't you get worried? I mean even with three kids Jon is having to do two jobs to sustain his family. Didn't you feel it would be financially tough to raise such a big family at a young age?

Luna: It was tough, don't get us wrong. We had to sacrifice some big things to provide for our family.

Ron: I put in a lot of extra hours at the shop and Luna took some freelance assignments.

Heaven: And it was hard on the kids when you moved to Ireland...

Ron: Very hard. They hated it at first and resented being away from their friends and family. But it was a great chance for me to manage a set of shops on my own. I couldn't pass that up.

Heaven: And you did a great job- you did what any parent would do. You and Luna put your kids before yourselves.

Luna: It wasn't always easy, but we had great examples in our own parents.

Amynoelle: And not only do you have a great set of children, you have grandchildren. Dawna asks if you are happy with your grandchildren right now and if you are excited to meet Drew and Brian's baby and if you want grandchildren from Ethan and Maddie anytime soon?

Luna: We'd always love more grandchildren! And of course we can't wait to meet Drew and Brian's child.

Amynoelle: We do think it's sweet that Ron lets Emma put that Magic Mud on him.

Ron: Yeah... yeah... could you say no to her though?

Luna: And Casey's already working her magic on him, too.

Ron: I'll have to bribe Em not to give her any ideas.

Heaven: Here's a question with a bit more of a sombre note from Dawna. If Allie had died that night she had Em, and Jon couldn't take her because it would her to much to have her (if you know what I mean and Neville and Cho couldn't either) Would you two have taken her?

Luna: Without a doubt, but I believe that if something had happened, Jon would have known that Allie would want him to raise their daughters. But thankfully, Allie did survive and they're such a wonderful, loving family.

Heaven: One of the best, and a huge fan favourite!

Amynoelle: Dawna also asked if something happened to Ron and you lost him, would you remarry?

Luna: I don't think so. Ron's the only one for me. I can't imagine myself with anyone else.

Ron: Me, either. Besides, I don't think any other woman could take me and my habit of sticking my foot in my mouth...

Luna *laughs* I've gotten quick at diverting him.

Amynoelle: You have saved him quite a few times, Luna.

Ron: You aren't kidding.

Heaven: I know we've asked something similar, but dysfunctionalspirit wants to know what was it like raising so many children of your own , and then just when RJ, their last one, left home becoming foster parents.?

Ron: Well, we went from a full house to an empty house to a full house. And Joey and Zach are really going to make me go grey...

Heaven: Is THAT what that is? I thought Fred and George gave you a skunk stripe...

Ron: *touches the top of his head* No...do I really?

Heaven: No.

Ron: You remind me of Hermione. That's something that she'd do!

Heaven: *laughs* I'll have to tell her you said so.

Amynoelle: That's it for our reader questions, but we have some things we'd love to ask you guys. Starting with you, Ron. You have a good relationship with your children's significant others. But, you don't seem as close to Hans. Why is that?

Ron: I don't really know the bloke that well. Now that he's engaged to Darla, I expect to see him a lot more. And as long as my girl is happy with him, he's fine with me.

Amynoelle: And do you guys miss Paddington?

Luna: So, so much. In fact... I wouldn't mind another dog at some point. That's a hint!

Amynoelle: Or a Cornish pixie, like Dolly...

Ron: No Cornish Pixies. No, no, no!

Amynoelle *laughs*: One of the cutest, fluffiest scenes had to be when Dolly tore up your prized Canons shirt and Maddie spello-taped it back together.

Luna: She's the only one who could have gotten away with that, you know.

Ron: The boys throw that in my face all the time.

Heaven: But it's true. No one can do the Maddie face like Maddie. The closest one has to be Emma.

Luna: Em's almost got it down pat. But Em has her own look, too. She will put her hands on her hips and purse her lips...it's the cutest thing.

Ron: I'm powerless to it. Can't help it.

Amynoelle: Oh, I just found a question from a reader by the name of The Rabbit King, he wanted to know how it feels to be the best friend to the handsomest, most charming...wait a minute! This question is from Harry! How did this get in here?

Heaven: Harry... *shakes head* It's not too late for Snape to turn gay and lust after you.

Ron: grins* I like that idea.

Heaven: We always keep it around for when he acts up.

Amynoelle: He acts up a lot, as I'm sure you know, Ron.

Ron: Don't I ever. He's always been that way.

Heaven: Well Ron, feel free to take the rest of the food with you... wait... there's nothing left. You ate it all???? Why am I not surprised?

Ron: That was some good food!

Amynoelle: You two are the only ones we served food too for the interview.

Luna: Ronald smelled it and was practically running here.

Heaven: You know Amy, I bet we're going to have to do this for Ethan and Maddie too.

Amynoelle: Oooh, you're right. And definitely if we interview Emma.

Ron: Thanks for the food. Hey Luna, we should stop at Antonio's on the way home. I have a huge craving for garlic bread...

147. 147 and don't forget questions for RJ and Andrew!

CHAPTER ONE HUNDRED FORTY SEVEN

A/N: We’d like to apologise to those of you whose questions we missed while during the interview. Please be assured it was not intentional, and we’ll do much better at making sure everyone’s questions get answered from now on.

This chapter is ALL Barron! We do hope you enjoy it, and make sure you see the picture of Hannah’s room that’s linked in here ;)

Next chapter has the anniversary of one much loved couple! :D

Frankie and Will were holding a dinner party for their two families to help welcome Hannah to the family. Frankie and Hannah had cooked nearly all day and they were both excited, but nervous about the dinner. Hannah was currently upstairs getting dressed. Frankie had helped her pick out a pretty red dress and out of all her new clothes, it was her most favourite. She liked the way it would flare out when she twirled around.

"Are you having fun in here?" Frankie asked from the doorway.

Hannah giggled. "Yeah."

"Will and I are glad you like your room," Frankie said. The day after the adoption, Frankie and Will had taken Hannah out and gotten her a complete bedroom set in a royal purple colour.

"Thanks, Mummy," Hannah said giving her a hug. "I think everyone's going to like what we made."

"Especially once they hear that you helped," Frankie kissed the top of her daughter's head.

"I didn't know Daddy's family was so big," Hannah said. She'd only met Mia and her mother, but tonight she was meeting the entire clan.

"Yeah he's got quite the group there," Frankie said. "But they're all so excited to meet you."

Hannah smiled. "You look really pretty, too.'

"Thank you," Frankie replied. "Come on, we've got to set the table before everyone gets here."

Hannah nodded and followed her out of the room.

"Look at my girls," Will grinned as they came into the dining room. "You both look gorgeous!"

"Look at me twirl," Hannah said doing a few spins.

Will laughed. "How about trying it up high?" he picked her up and spun her in the air.

Hannah squealed. "I love this!"

Frankie laughed at Hannah's delight.

"So tell me about everyone again," Hannah said to Will after he'd set her back down.

"Well my parents are so excited to meet you," Will told her. "And My sister Mary, who's not scary at all, her husband Tim, and their boys will be here, as well as Jack, Claire, and Mia."

"And I already know Caroline, Em, and Adam," Hannah said ticking off the names on her fingers. "And Uncle Jon and Aunt Allie and Aunt Chiaki and ....and...."

"Uncle Toshio," Will replied. "But you can call him Uncle Tosh if you want."

"And Sukie and Mas," Hannah finished proudly. "The twins!"

"See you've got it," Will gave her a hug. "You're the star tonight Miss Hannah."

"Star?" Hannah asked.

"That's right," Will replied. "Everyone's coming just to see you."

"I hope they like me," Hannah said softly.

"They're going to love you," Will told her.

"I hope so," Hannah said joining Frankie in setting the table. Will had used magic to lengthen the table. "I get to sit beside Mummy and Emma."

"That's right," Frankie grinned at her. "And Em's going to be so excited to sit next to you."

Hannah smiled as she thought about her cousins. She couldn't believe she actually had a real family now with a mother, father and uncles and aunts and cousins---lots of cousins.

"We're all set," Frankie said happily a few minutes later. "Bring on the masses!"

Abigail and Theodore arrived first and they hadn't even taken off their coats before Abigail was asking where her new granddaughter was.

"In the kitchen with Frankie," Will told them.

"I'm so proud of you William," Abigail hugged her son.

"You're going to love her," Will said smiling at his mother. "You ready to meet her?"

"I can't wait," Abigail said. "Ted and I brought her a little gift."

"You're going to spoil her rotten," Will teased.

"We definitely plan on it," Ted grinned at his son.

Frankie and Hannah were sneaking a bite of one of the biscuits when Will and his parents came into the kitchen.

"Caught you both," Will grinned. "Hannah, I'd like you to meet your new grandparents."

Hannah wiped the crumbs from her face and looked nervously at the older man and woman standing beside her father.

"Hi," she said shyly.

"Hello Hannah," Abigail kneeled down. "It's very lovely to meet you."

Hannah didn't know what to say so she clung to Frankie.

Ted also leaned over and put his hand out. "We're so glad to have you in our family," he said with a smile.

"It's okay," Frankie whispered to Hannah.

Hannah tentatively reached out to shake her grandfather's hand.

"Nice to meet you," Hannah said softly.

"Don't we have a gift for this young lady, Abbie?" Ted asked.

"We do," Abigail said. "I'll just go and get it..."

"My mummy's name was Abbie," Hannah whispered.

"I heard about that," Abigail said kindly. "And if you'd like to call me Grandma Abbie, that's fine, but if you don't, I understand."

"Okay," Hannah said smiling shyly at her. "Grandma Abbie."

"Here we are," Ted came back in with a bag. "Just for you, sweetheart."

"Thank you," Hannah said politely. She looked up at Frankie. "Can I open it now?"

"Of course you can," Frankie told her.

Hannah sat down and pulled out the tissue paper and looked inside the bag.

"It's a music box," Abigail explained.

"Wow," Hannah's eyes were wide as she lifted it out.

"That's beautiful," Frankie said admiringly as she took in the purple music box that had embroidered flowers along the sides. "You can put all sorts of things in there Hannah."

"Thank you," Hannah said to her new grandparents.

"You're quite welcome," Abigail said smiling at her. "Frankie told us how much you loved the colour purple."

"It's my most favourite colour," Hannah said. "It's all purple in my bedroom."

"We'll show you later," Will told his parents. "Can I get you anything to drink? Mum? Dad?"

"A glass of white wine if you've got some," Abigail said.

"Of course," Will replied. "Dad?"

"Beer," Ted nodded.

"I'm going to go put my music box in my room," Hannah said sliding off the chair.

"All right," Frankie smiled as she watched her daughter head up the stairs. "Isn't she wonderful?" she asked her mother in law.

"She's adorable," Abigail agreed. "And so polite."

"She used to be so timid with Will," Frankie told her. "But she's really opened up to him."

"And I know this isn't possible, but she kind of looks like you, Will," Abigail said.

"She's got his eyes," Frankie agreed.

Abigail wiped at her eyes. "I told myself I wouldn't cry, but I'm just so happy for you both."

"Thanks Mum," Will handed his mother a glass of wine. "It's really been fantastic having her here."

"And just in time for Christmas," Abigail said. "It's just perfect."

"That it is," Will put his arm around his wife.

Hannah came back into the kitchen and took her place beside Frankie.

"So I heard you've already met Mia, Caroline and Emma," Abigail said conversationally to Hannah.

Hannah nodded. "Em is my bestest friend."

"How lovely," Abigail smiled at her.

"And she's an official member of the princess club," Frankie said.

"The very elite princess club?" Ted joked.

"That's the one," Frankie said laughing.

"I get to be Belle," Hannah told them.

"One of Mia's favourites," Abigail said.

"Mine too," Hannah said softly.

The doorbell chimed again and Frankie excused herself to get it.

"Hey," Frankie greeted Allison as she pulled Adam's carrier through the door. "Glad you lot could make it."

"We never turn down free food," Jon joked as he came inside. "This place looks like Santa's workshop."

"I've got good reason now, Jonathan," Frankie hugged her brother in law.

"Where's Han?" Emma asked as Allison helped her out of her coat. "Han!"

"Hi Em," Hannah came into the hall with a big smile on her face.

Emma gave her a hug. "Cousin!"

Caroline also beamed at Hannah. "This is so exciting," she said.

"It is, isn't it?" Hannah asked giving Caroline a hug.

"I can't wait to see your room," Caroline told her. "I heard it looks really cool."

"Can I show them now?" Hannah asked Frankie.

"Sure," Frankie replied. "But don't be up there too long. Once everyone gets here we'll have dinner right away."

"Kay," Hannah said motioning toward her cousins. "Come on!"

Caroline and Emma eagerly followed their new cousin up the stairs.

"Whoa!" Caroline exclaimed once Hannah opened her bedroom door.

"Purple!" Emma clapped her hands.

Caroline giggled. "This is cool!"

"Mummy and Daddy let me pick it all out," Hannah felt a rush of happiness every time she looked around her new bedroom.

"Who's that?" Caroline looked at the pictures displayed on the night stand.

"That's my real Mummy," Hannah said. "That's her holding me when I was a baby and that's us in the garden."

"Oh," Caroline said softly. "She was really pretty Hannah."

"Thanks," Hannah said smiling at her. "Her name was Abbie."

"Just like your new grandma," Caroline grinned back.

"Yeah," Hannah said. "I'm gonna call her Grandma Abbie."

"Han," Emma was looking at the toy chest. "What do you have in there?"

"You can look," Hannah told her.

"Oooooh," Emma's eyes went wide. "Han has new toys!"

"Oooh, I have a doll like this one!" Caroline exclaimed holding one up.

Hannah sat on the edge of her bed. "Some of those are from Mister Ron and Luna's house. They let me keep some of the dolls."

"Mr. Bear!" Emma squealed holding up a teddy bear.

"That used to be yours," Hannah said shyly.

"You can have it," Emma said handing it to her.

Caroline giggled. "You already gave it to her Em!"

"Oh," Emma said laughing.

"Girls!" Frankie called from downstairs. "Mia's here!"

"Oooh!" Caroline exclaimed. "Another princess!"

"We could have a meeting tonight if Katie was here," Hannah said.

"We need to have one soon," Caroline agreed.

Emma's eyes grew large. "Adam! Em forgot Adam! Be right back!'

"Emma you can't bring him up here without Mummy and Daddy!" Caroline called.

Emma didn't hear as she sat down on the top step and eased her way down. "Adam! Em's coming!"

"Is he okay?" Hannah asked curiously.

Caroline nodded. "Em's just being over-protective. She doesn't want to leave him ever."

Hannah giggled as Mia came up the stairs. "Hi Hannah!" she gave the girl a hug.

"Hi, Mia," Hannah said hugging her back. "We're cousins!"

"We're all cousins now," Caroline said.

Downstairs, Emma pushed herself in between Jon and Allison on the sofa.

“What are you doing down here baby?” Jon asked.

“Adam needs me,” Emma replied as if he should have known.

"He does?" Jon asked. "I think he's doing all right for now, Em."

Emma shook her head. "You don't know him like me."

"Em don't you want to go have fun with Caroline and Hannah?" Allison asked her daughter.

Emma shook her head. "Em stay with Adam."

Jon and Allison exchanged an amused look. "If that's what you want, baby."

Emma leaned against her father while keeping a watchful eye on Adam who looked quite content in his mother's arms.

Caroline, Hannah and Mia came back downstairs a few minutes later. "Daddy you should see Hannah's room," Caroline said. "She has purple EVERYTHING and even a castle for a bed!"

Jon grinned. "You getting ideas, Angel?"

"Maybe," Caroline giggled.

"Daddy did the pictures on the wall," Hannah said smiling at Will. Abigail heard this and she let out a sob.

"Abbie," Ted touched his wife's arm.

"She called him 'Daddy'," Abigail said hoarsely. "Is that the sweetest thing you ever heard?"

"Of course it is," Ted replied.

"I'm sorry I made your mummy cry," Hannah whispered to Will.

"Its okay love," Will replied softly. "My mum cries a lot when she's happy."

Hannah held up her arms and Will picked her up. "I'm getting hungry."

"Well we just have to wait for Mary and Tim to arrive," Will told his daughter. "But I bet we could sneak you a little something while we wait."

"Okay," Hannah said happily. So far everything was going great.

Will sat her on the counter. "What are you in the mood for?" he asked.

"Sugar biscuit," Hannah whispered. She and Frankie had made a batch last night.

"Sure," Will grinned. "Long as you promise it won't ruin your appetite."

"Just one," Hannah promised.

"I suppose we can do that." Will said. "But it's our secret."

"Caroline and Mia showed me something," Hannah said extending her pinky finger. "Pinky swear?"

Will laughed. "Pinky swear," he agreed.

Mary and Tim arrived with the boys a few moments later and Hannah felt a little nervous even though Will and Frankie had assured her Mary wasn't scary.

"Hey sis," Will hugged her. "Come meet my daughter."

Mary smiled at her brother. "I can't believe you're finally a father!"

"Frankie and I needed the right girl," Will looked down at his daughter who was half hiding behind him.

"Hello, Hannah Barron," Mary said kneeling down to get a better look at the little girl. "I promise I won't bite."

"Hi," Hannah whispered.

"And this is your Uncle Tim," Mary said motioning for her husband and sons to come forward.

"Hi," Hannah said shyly.

"It's very, very nice to meet you Hannah," Tim smiled at her. "This is Marcus and Tim Jr, our two sons."

"We're not supposed to mention that you're dedopted," Tim Jr. said.

"Tim," Mary shushed him.

"And it's adopted," Marcus corrected.

"It's okay," Hannah said.

"Why don't we all sit down to dinner?" Frankie suggested.

Hannah went and took her mother's hand. "I still get to sit next to you, right?"

"Of course," Frankie said giving Hannah's hand a squeeze. "I told you everyone would love you."

Hannah grinned at her. "I'm having fun."

"Me too," Frankie said as she took her seat beside her daughter.

"Em, Adam's fine. He's in his pram and he's asleep," Allison reassured her daughter. "If he starts to cry, I promise we'll go to him."

"Promise?" Emma looked solemnly at her mother.

"Promise," Allison said tweaking her nose.

"Kay," Emma said. "Where's Em sitting?"

"Across from me and right beside Hannah," Allison told her.

Emma grinned. "I sit by Han!" she ran towards her seat.

Neville and Cho took their seats beside Toshio and Chiaki. Frankie smiled at them.

"So Hannah," Cho said once they had all started eating. "What are you asking Santa for Christmas?"

Hannah looked thoughtful. "I don't really need anything."

"Santa always brings loads of presents if you're good," Mia told her. "I asked for more princess stuff."

"That's so lame, Mia," Marcus said before stuffing a dinner roll in his mouth.

"Shut up Marcus at least I didn't ask for stupid video games," Mia shot back.

"Children," Mary warned.

"Maybe you'll get your own Disney movies," Caroline said. "That'd be really cool. Sometimes we give homework in the princess club and we have to study how they walk, talk, and wave."

"I was wrong," Marcus said. "THAT is what's lame."

"Shut up, Marcus or I'll tell everyone how you still watch the Teletubbies." Mia retorted.

"I DO NOT!" Marcus turned bright red.

"You do too," Mia said. "I caught you the other day."

"Tim was watching them," Marcus muttered. "I just walked in the room."

"You were holding the remote control," Mia said rolling her eyes. "And you thought Barney was cool at one time..."

"Even Em doesn't like Barney," Emma said shaking her head.

Hannah giggled at Emma's facial expression.

"Uncle Jack, you should trade Mia in for a dog," Marcus said.

"Marcus," Mary said in a warning tone. "Apologise to your cousin."

"I'm sorry," Marcus grumbled.

Mia smiled in satisfaction.

"I hear that Hannah's going to be joining my class in the New Year," Cho said.

"That's right," Frankie replied. "She's already quite a good dancer too."

"I'm not that good," Hannah said.

"Of course you are," Frankie said. "And she LOVES to twirl."

Hannah smiled. "Just a little...”

"I think you'll fit right in," Cho smiled at her new granddaughter.

"And you'll have a friend in the class because Em's starting then too," Frankie said.

"See?" Emma told her. "Han and me are best friends."

Frankie grinned at her niece. "I know, sweetheart."

"And me, Katie and Mia will help you guys if you need it," Caroline said, ignoring the faces Marcus was making at them.

"Thanks," Hannah said gratefully.

"All the princesses will dance together now," Mia said. "We'll have our own recital."

"Yeah!" Caroline agreed excitedly. "We can hold it at your house, Mia!"

Frankie smiled to see her nieces so accepting of Hannah. She knew they already liked her, but seeing them enjoy her as a family member only made her even happier than before.

"Oooh, guess what?" Caroline asked her sister. "Guess who's babysitting for us tomorrow night while Mummy and Daddy go Christmas shopping?"

"Who?" Emma asked.

"Saffy," Caroline replied. "We're going to have so much fun!"

"Yay," Emma said happily. "And Gabey?"

Caroline shook her head. "Just Saffy, Em."

"When is Gabey coming back to see Em?" the redhead asked.

"I think Lavender mentioned they'd be back in the next couple of days," Cho replied.

Neville winked at Caroline. "And what's this I hear about you having a boyfriend, young lady?"

Caroline turned bright red. "He's not my boyfriend."

Mia nudged her. "He is cute."

"He's just my friend," Caroline blushed even more.

"That's right," Jon said quickly. "No dates or boyfriends for my girls yet."

"What's a date, Daddy?" Emma asked curiously.

"Something very bad," Jon answered.

"Jonathan!" Allison exclaimed.

Jon grinned. "I was kidding! Emma...a date is something that a boy and girl go on when they're really old..."

"Daddy I'm too young to date," Caroline said in an exasperated tone.

"That's my girl," Jon said. Before Allison could say anything, Jon put his hand on her knee. "I am not going to be anything like how your dad was with me..."

"I beg your pardon?" Neville asked.

"Er," Jon said. "Maybe I will be. Completely wonderful just like Neville." he covered, making Chiaki and Allison laugh.

"Good save, Jonathan," Neville chuckled.

"May I point out that he always liked me," Will said with a grin. "Right from the start."

"Of course he did," Frankie said to her husband. "You're perfect."

"That's it Frankie," Jack said. "Make his head swell."

"He doesn't need any help with that," Mary said.

"I love you both too," Will retorted with a grin.

"Well, you are mum's favourite," Mary said.

"I don't have favourites!" Abbie protested. "I love you all the same!"

"No I'm definitely your favourite." Will replied.

"Because you're the baby," Mary sing-songed. "And can do no wrong..."

"That's right," Will said in satisfaction.

"He did plenty wrong and I can give you a list if you like," Jack said getting another helping of potatoes.

"What did he do?" Hannah asked curiously.

"There was that time he threw that big party when Mum and Dad were out of town," Jack said with a grin.

"What?" Ted asked. "William?"

"He's lying," Will said hastily. "I would never throw a party without asking you."

Jack guffawed. "You're such a liar."

"Will wouldn't do something like that," Abbie defended her youngest.

"Mum," Jack said shaking his head. "You're so delusional."

"Jack you're not too old to be punished," Abbie said.

"I'm not the one who threw that wild party," Jack said staring at her. "Your baby was the one...and was so pissed he threw up in your begonias the next morning..."

"I don't believe that for a moment," Abbie shook her head, making Frankie cover her mouth to hide her laughter.

Jack leaned back in his chair. "I can't believe this. Mary, back me up on this...you saw him!"

"I saw nothing," Mary shook her head.

"What's pist?" Emma asked innocently.

"Em," Allison said. "Don't say that word."

"Bad word?" Emma asked.

"That's right," Allison said. "And not ladylike at all."

"Oh," Emma said nodding.

"I don't exactly think this is appropriate conversation for the dinner table with children present," Abbie cast a chastising look at Jack,

"I don't think it's very appropriate for a 16-year old boy to hold a party while his parents are out of town," Jack said raising his glass at his brother.

"Enough," Abbie said firmly.

"Did you really do that?" Frankie asked leaning over to whisper in her husband's ear.

"I'll never tell," Will whispered, giving her a quick kiss.

Hannah took a bite of her chicken and felt proud that she'd helped Frankie make this. She'd always loved helping her mother cook and now she was able to do the same things with Frankie.

"I hope you'll join us Christmas morning," Ted said to Hannah.

"Where are we going?" Hannah asked.

"Well, we usually open up presents and have a big breakfast," Abbie explained.

"I like to cook," Hannah said, blushing.

"Me too," Abbie said smiling at her. "In fact, you can help me make my scones."

Hannah smiled back. "Okay," she agreed. "That sounds like fun."

"We spend Christmas at Nana's and Grandpa's," Caroline told Emma.

"At the Burrow?" Hannah asked.

"Right," Caroline replied. "It's loads of fun there."

"Not as much fun as our house," Marcus said. "Our breakfast is probably way better than yours..."

"Is not!" Caroline retorted.

"Marcus," Mary said sternly.

"Yes, mum," Marcus begrudgingly said.

Mia shot him a superior look and giggled with Caroline.

"Are the twins looking forward to Christmas, Chi?" Frankie asked her sister.

Chiaki nodded. "I wish we could have brought them tonight to meet you," she said to Hannah. "But they're both getting over a cold."

"Oh that's okay," Hannah said. "I hope they feel better."

"I know they can't wait to meet you though," Toshio told her. "Perhaps we'll have you come over and meet them some night next week."

"I'd love that," Hannah said excitedly.

"Sukie's hair is almost long enough to play beauty shop with," Caroline whispered to Hannah. "Almost."

"She's trying to grow it faster," Chiaki teased, having heard that.

"And you can play beauty shop with Grandpa Ron," Jon told Caroline. "You know how much he loves that Magic Mud."

Caroline giggled. "It's so funny when he comes to my beauty shop."

"Better him than me," Neville said chuckling.

"This time I'll make both my grandpa's beautiful," Caroline decided. "And my assistant Emma will help me."

"We can fit you in," Emma said happily.

"Um..." Neville took a large swig of his drink. "That's great... just wonderful..."

Jon chuckled. "They'll give you the full makeover."

Caroline looked at Emma. "We can get Saffy and Alexa to help us!"

Jon shared a look with his wife. "Baby, Alexa won't be joining us this year."

"Why not?" Caroline asked.

"Em likes Lexie!" Emma chimed in.

"We do too baby," Allison didn't want to go into this in front of Will's family.

"I bet her mummy and daddy want her to spent Christmas with them," Caroline said thoughtfully.

Allison nodded. "That's right."

"Will Uncle RJ be there still?" Caroline asked.

"Oh I'm sure he'll be around," Jon answered.

Caroline smiled. "He gives the best piggy-back rides."

"Among other things," Jon muttered.

Frankie was dying to know what was going on. She hadn't been in the office and she had missed the Christmas party. "Allie? Would you help me in the kitchen?"

"Sure," Allison pushed back her chair.

"Spill," Frankie demanded as soon as they were alone. "I haven't been in the office and I'm so out of the loop."

Allison sighed. "Well, my brother-in-law has broken up with Alexa and apparently has moved on to Serena Starr."

Frankie's eyes widened. "She finally got him, eh?"

Allison nodded. "I was in shock when Jon told me. They fought at the Christmas party and he took her home. He came back to the party and got so pissed and then took her back to his place..."

Frankie shook her head. "Serena's been hanging around ever since she spotted RJ at the beginning of summer. I just didn't think he'd ever leave Alexa for her."

"Me either," Allison said. "Alexa's such a sweet girl and she was so good for RJ."

"He'll realise it sooner or later," Frankie replied.

"Let's hope so," Allison said. "So, how do you like being a Mum?"

"Honestly?" Frankie asked. "I was scared shitless, but I love it. Hannah's an absolute dream."

Allison smiled at her sister. "I know I've told you this before, but I really am so proud of you."

"Thanks," Frankie grinned.

"She really seems happy," Allison said peeking into the dining room where Hannah was talking to Emma.

Frankie nodded. "That's all I really want to do. Make her as happy as I possibly can."

"You're doing a good job," Allison said giving Frankie a hug. "I always knew you'd be a great mum."

"I wish I'd known sooner," Frankie said, hugging her sister back. "I guess it just took Hannah for me to see it."

"She's really so sweet and polite and helpful," Allison said. "I heard her tell Emma that she helped you cook all this food."

"Every last bit," Frankie confirmed.

"You two make a great team," Allison said.

Frankie grinned. "Wait until you taste the biscuits we made," she said. "Hannah did most of the work- she loves baking."

"Maybe I should have Jon talk to her about the new pub menu," Allison mused.

Frankie laughed. "New pub menu?"

Allison nodded. "Yeah, Jon and Victoria want to change a few things and they've asked me to give them some ideas."

"I like that place," Frankie replied. "Jon's doing a great job as her partner."

"He really is," Allison said proudly.

Chiaki came into the kitchen. "What's going on in here?"

"Longbottom sister conversation," Allison said with a grin.

"Well why am I not included then?" Chiaki teased.

Allison laughed. "Because you're the older sister who's above all the gossip."

"Of course," Chiaki said. "Will may be the perfect one in his family but I'm definitely the perfect one in ours."

"Says who?" Frankie asked nudging her.

"The oldest and the wisest," Chiaki replied.

"But not modest," Allison teased.

"No, not at all," Chiaki said with a straight face, making both her sisters laugh.

"Mummy?" Hannah asked from the doorway.

"Yes sweetheart?" Frankie broke away from her sisters.

"Is everything okay?" Hannah asked.

"Of course it is," Frankie replied.

"Frankie was telling us how you helped make the food," Allison told her.

Hannah blushed. "I didn't really do a lot..."

"You did," Frankie corrected.

"I heard dessert's going to be quite fantastic thanks to you," Chiaki smiled at her new niece.

"We made chocolate cheesecake," Hannah said her cheeks still pink.

"My favourite!" Chiaki exclaimed.

"I've never had it before," Hannah said. "But it looks really good."

"Trust me," Allison said. "It's absolutely delicious."

"Okay, Aunt Allie," Hannah said softly.

Allison grinned when she heard that.

"And that's a very pretty dress you have on," Chiaki said. "Red suits you, Hannah."

"It's my next favourite colour from purple," Hannah said shyly.

"You look very pretty in it," Allison agreed. "And we're so happy that you're a part of our family, Hannah."

"I'm happy too," Hannah said. "You're all really nice."

Allison and Chiaki excused themselves to go back into the dining room, but Frankie and Hannah lingered in the kitchen.

"You having a good time, sweetheart?" Frankie asked.

Hannah nodded.

"Me too," Frankie said. "I told you everyone would love you."

Hannah blushed. "Mary isn't that scary either."

Frankie laughed. "I told you."

Hannah hugged her. "Caroline told me my real mummy was pretty."

"She was," Frankie agreed. "You look just like her, Hannah."

"It's okay with you?" Hannah asked a bit timidly.

Frankie nodded. "She was your mother, Hannah. I don't mind you talking about her or having her pictures in your room."

"Okay," Hannah smiled at her.

"So," Frankie said. "How about we go back out there to our family?"

Hannah liked the sound of that. "I can't wait until they try our cheesecake," she said, taking Frankie's hand.

"Me too," Frankie agreed. "I have a feeling it's going to be a big hit."

Hannah grinned as they went back into the dining room.

The smile on Hannah's face fell when she saw Will drinking a beer.

"What's wrong?" Frankie asked, noticing her daughter's expression.

Hannah clung to Frankie. "Don't...don't let him hurt me."

"What?" Frankie was alarmed.

Will stood up and made a move toward Hannah who backed away from him. "No!"

"Hannah?" Will asked, concerned. "What's wrong love?"

"Mummy, don't let him hurt me," Hannah said clinging tightly to Frankie.

"Hannah," Frankie said in her most soothing voice. "Will wouldn't hurt you..."

"Excuse us for a minute," Will said to their family, who looked astonished.

Hannah was trembling as Frankie led her back into the kitchen. "Sweetheart, what's wrong? Why are you so scared?"

"He's going to hurt me," Hannah said quietly. "Whenever he drinks from that bottle, he hits me."

Frankie knelt down. "Hannah, Will would never hit you. He's nothing like your father. You know that."

"Absolutely not," Will said.

"Promise?" Hannah asked.

"I promise," Will kneeled down beside her. "I love you, Hannah. I'd never do anything to hurt you."

"I got scared when I saw you drinking from that bottle," Hannah admitted.

"Sometimes," Will began. "When people drink from that bottle they can't stop. That's part of what was wrong with David Wright."

"There are also people who drink from that bottle who know when to stop," Frankie added. "And I promise you that your daddy is one of them."

Hannah nodded and put her arms around Will's neck. "I'm sorry."

"Don't you apologise baby," Will hugged her. "I understand."

Hannah hugged him back.

Frankie stroked her daughter's hair back. "Don't be afraid about coming to talk to us if you're afraid of something okay?"

Hannah nodded. "Okay."

"That's my girl," Frankie smiled at her,

Hannah gave Frankie a hug. "I didn't ruin dinner, did I?"

"Of course not," Frankie told her.

"Is Han okay?" Emma asked coming into the kitchen. Before she could get an answer, Emma put her arms around Hannah. "Don't be sad, Han."

"I'm okay Em," Hannah said.

"Come with Em," Emma said taking Hannah's hand. "Eat."

Hannah smiled. "I am still a bit hungry."

Frankie and Will stayed in the kitchen.

"Mrs. Roman did tell us that she was still going to have problems, but that just came out of nowhere," Will said quietly.

"David must have been quite the heavy drinker," Frankie said bitterly.

Will nodded. "Add that to the list."

"This really means we're going to have to be careful with what we do around her," Frankie replied. "Things are going to have to change more than I thought."

"We knew this wasn't going to be easy," Will said putting his arm around her.

"She's worth it though," Frankie said without hesitation.

"She is," Will agreed. "We're going to make a lot of good memories for her to take away those bad ones."

Frankie nodded. "Exactly."

148. Chapter 148--RJ & Andrew interview

AN: A lot of you were looking forward to this one! And it was a lot of fun for us to write ;) Next week, Gabriel comes back into the equation :D And quite a few of you seem to be very happy about that!

And a Happy early Birthday goes out to Heaven----she celebrates her birthday on October 30th---Happy Birthday!!!!!!

RJ and Andrew’s interview is at the end of the chapter, and next week will feature Ethan and Maddie answering your questions! Please review!

Saffron sighed in frustration as she looked again through her wardrobe. Today was her one year anniversary with Andrew and she had absolutely nothing to wear out with him that night that he hadn't already seen her in a hundred times.

"And my hair looks awful," she caught a glimpse of her reflection.

Hermione knocked on the door frame. "Your hair looks beautiful."

"It does not," Saffron pulled it up and let it drop again.

"Need some help?" Hermione offered.

"Sure," Saffron sighed.

Hermione picked up the bottle of Sleekeazy's Hair Potion and poured some into her hand. "Sit," she ordered her daughter.

Saffron did what her mother told her to do. "I don't know if it'll help," she complained.

"It will," Hermione said as she applied the potion to her daughter's hair. "You have gorgeous hair, Saffron. It's just hard to tame sometimes. Your father and I are very sorry for passing that down to you."

Saffron smiled at her mother. "You both passed along some other great things."

"Kind of balances out," Hermione said smiling back at her daughter.

"Right," Saffron said as her hair tamed into sleek waves. "Thank you so much Mum. That's loads better."

"You're quite welcome," Hermione said. "So, do you know where he's taking you?'

"Not yet," Saffron shook her head. "He just told me to dress up."

"Don't you love it when they're vague like that?" Hermione asked with a laugh.

Saffron grinned. "Knowing Andrew, he'll have quite the night planned for us. He's so sweet like that."

Hermione reached into her pocket. "Special occasions call for special jewellery...."

"Gran's diamond earrings?" Saffron asked. "Mum!"

"It's a special occasion," Hermione said handing them to her.

"I've always loved these," Saffron gazed at them.

"Your grandfather gave them to her on their first wedding anniversary," Hermione said fondly.

Saffron touched them gently. "I still miss him," she said softly.

"I know," Hermione said touching her daughter's cheek. "He'd be so proud of you, Saffy."

"I hope so," she said quietly.

Hermione smiled at her. "I know so."

Saffron smiled as she put the earrings on and then fixed her hair. "I'm not sure what to wear," she said. "I've been over and over my closet..."

"You have plenty of lovely dresses," Hermione said.

"But nothing he hasn't seen me in before," Saffron replied.

Hermione hid her smile. "Too late to go shopping, but I could do a little revision to your wardrobe...'

"You can?" Saffron asked.

"Yes," Hermione said withdrawing her wand. "You can't use magic outside of school, but your mother sure can."

Saffron grinned. "You're the absolute best."

Hermione smiled back at her. "What kind of look were you going for? And remember, we want something that's not going to give your father a coronary."

"Something elegant," Saffron replied. "Andrew told me he's taking me somewhere nice."

Hermione looked thoughtfully at her daughter and tried to recall some of the designs she'd seen in Lavender's boutique the other day. She pointed her wand at one of Saffron's t-shirts and muttered a quick spell turning the old shirt into a black halter dress with pink lace cascading along the waistline. "Something like this?" Hermione asked.

Saffron's eyes grew round. "That's beautiful Mum..." she breathed.

"A Hermione Potter-Lavender Brown hybrid," Hermione said with a grin. "If you don't like that one, I can try and transfigure something else..."

"I'm sure this will be perfect," Saffron took the dress. "Thank you Mum."

"You're quite welcome, sweetheart," Hermione said giving her a hug. "It's a big night for you."

"One year," Saffron said softly. "I can hardly believe it."

"We couldn't have asked for a better boyfriend for our little girl," Hermione said sitting down on Saffron's bed.

Saffron disappeared into her closet to change into the dress. "It's a perfect fit!" she called.

"I had a feeling it would be," Hermione said. "Let's see..."

Saffron came out and twirled around. "How does it look?"

"Gorgeous," Hermione said smiling at her.

"Hermione, when did you want me to start dinner?" Harry asked from the hallway.

"Harry come in here and look at your daughter," Hermione called.

"I just saw her a few minutes ago," Harry said as he came into the room. "Saffy..."

"Like my new dress?" she asked.

Harry nodded. "What did you do with my little girl?"

"Daddy don't be silly," Saffron replied.

"I just can't believe that you're my little girl," Harry said smiling at her. "You look so beautiful, Saffy."

"Thanks," Saffron grinned at him. "I hope Andrew thinks so too."

"I'm sure he will," Harry said. "Where's he taking you?"

"I don't know yet," Saffron answered. "He just told me somewhere nice."

"I've used that line before," Harry said looking pointedly at Hermione.

Hermione levelled a glare at him. "I'm sure Andrew isn't like that one bit."

"You two can't take a joke tonight," Harry said shaking his head.

Saffron glanced at her clock. "I have a half hour until he gets here!" she cried.

"We'll leave you to it," Hermione said standing up. "Come on, Harry."

Once Saffron was alone, she quickly finished her makeup and her hair. She and Andrew had decided to forego gifts since Christmas was right around the corner.

Downstairs, the doorbell chimed and since Hermione was in her office going over some paperwork, Harry answered the door.

"Hello, Mr. Potter," Andrew said politely.

"Hello Andrew," Harry shook the young man's hand. "Come on in- Saffron should be ready any minute now."

"Thanks," Andrew said stepping inside. "Looks like it might snow out there."

Harry nodded. "Just in time for Christmas. Are you joining us again this year?"

"Yes, sir," Andrew replied. "And my parents were hoping Saffron would join us for Christmas dinner."

"I'm sure that can be arranged," Harry said, turning as his daughter descended down the staircase.

"Hi," Saffron said softly, her eyes locking on Andrew.

"You look stunning," Andrew said, his eyes wide.

"So do you," Saffron said smiling at him. "Happy Anniversary."

"You too," he handed her a small wrist corsage.

"Oh," Saffron said blushing. "That's beautiful, Andrew."

"Not more than you," he said, forgetting that Harry was still standing right there.

Harry cleared his throat. "I assume you'll have her home by 10..."

"Daddy," Saffron protested.

"Midnight," Hermione came into the foyer. "I think that's late enough."

"Thanks, Mum," Saffron said gratefully.

"Midnight it is," Harry replied. "You both have a good time." the look he shot his daughter told her to behave.

"I'll keep her in line," Andrew promised.

"Have a good time sweetheart," Hermione hugged her daughter.

"Thanks for everything," Saffron said looking positively radiant.

"Anytime love," Hermione smiled as she watched Andrew drape Saffron's shawl over her shoulders.

Saffron looked at Andrew. "So are you going to tell me where we're going?"

"There's this little restaurant in Muggle London called The Ivy," Andrew began.

Saffron gasped. "Andrew!"

He grinned at her.

"I've always wanted to go there," Saffron admitted.

"Tonight you'll get your chance," he said as they left the house. "You really do look gorgeous. I'm not going to be able to stop staring at you at all tonight."

"Well, you clean up rather nice as well," Saffron said. "I've always loved a boy in a suit...'

Andrew straightened his tie. "I'm glad you approve," he joked.

"I do," Saffron said happily.

Andrew gave her a kiss. "I guess that means we make one fantastic looking couple then."

Saffron giggled. "And modest, too."

"Who needs modesty?" Andrew asked as they left through The Leaky Cauldron. "Certainly not us.

"No," Saffron said. She felt bad for enjoying a night out when her best friend was nursing a broken heart.

Andrew got them a taxi and soon they arrived at The Ivy. Saffron felt quite important as Andrew told the maitre'd that they had a reservation.

"Right this way, Mr, Kirke. Miss Potter," the maitre'd said pleasantly.

Andrew grinned and let Saffron ahead of him as they wound through the tables to the back of the restaurant.

The maitre'd helped Saffron to her seat and she shared an amused look with Andrew.

"Enjoy your evening," the maitre d' said before departing.

"We will, thank you." she said. "This is even more posh than I thought," she confessed in a whisper.

"Nothing but the best for you," Andrew said picking up his menu. "It also helps that my mum's an event planner and she used a few connections to get this reservation for us."

"That was really nice of her," Saffron began to look over the menu.

"Know what you want yet?" Andrew asked.

"Everything looks so good," Saffron replied. "And I've been too excited all day to really eat anything."

"Get whatever you want," Andrew said grinning at her over his menu. "The sky's the limit..."

"You may live to regret that," Saffron joked.

Andrew laughed. "I don't think so. Seeing you in that dress is all the incentive I need, Saf."

She smiled at him. "I'm glad you like it."

He reached across the table for her hand. "I can't believe it's been a year."

"The best year," Saffron replied. "I love you so much Andrew."

"I love you too," Andrew said giving her hand a squeeze.

"I can't wait for you to see what I got you for Christmas," Saffron said. "I think you'll really like it."

"I'm sure I will," Andrew said. A waiter came over to take their drink order.

"I'll just have a club soda," Saffron said, wishing she could order wine or champagne.

"And for you, sir?" the waiter asked Andrew.

"I'll just have a Coke please," Andrew didn't want to drink without his girlfriend.

Saffron grinned. He really was perfect, she thought.

Their drinks were delivered a moment later and the two of them placed their orders.
"So, what's your flatmate up to tonight?" Saffron asked innocently.

"Let's not talk about RJ," Andrew didn't want to mention that his best friend and Serena had been holed up in RJ's bedroom since early that evening.

"Good idea," Saffron said. "I'm really excited that I'll get to see you play a match while I'm home."

"Knowing you're there cheering me on will make me play that much better," Andrew grinned. "Ever since we beat Puddlemere the coach has been finding ways to stick me in there."

"That's because you're so talented," Saffron said loyally.

"You're good for my ego," he joked.

"That's not all I'm good for," Saffron said winking at him.

"Believe me that I know." Andrew said with a devilish glint in his eyes.

They took in the atmosphere around them and Saffron thought she recognised some Muggle celebrities. "My Aunt Lavender loves coming here."

"I've heard loads about this place," Andrew looked around as well. "I was surprised my mum was able to get a reservation."

"Well, as my Aunt Lavender says, it's not what you know, but WHO you know," Saffron said.

Andrew laughed. "Speaking of your aunt, how's Gabe doing?"

"They just arrived a couple of days ago," Saffron replied. "And he seems to be doing okay. Uncle Seamus is so proud of how well he's doing at University."

"Good for him," Andrew nodded.

"I was thinking we might invite him to hang out with us while he's here," Saffron said. "You. Me. Lexie. Gabe."

"Are you trying to play matchmaker?" he teased.

Saffron looked innocently at him. "No, I'm sure it's too early for Alexa to think about dating anyone right now, but maybe someday...down the line...perhaps, they'd be right for each other. And I don't think Gabe would shag some skank..."

"Saf come on," Andrew said. "Let's not talk about all that all right?"

"Sorry," Saffron said raising her glass. "We're here to celebrate not talk about your cheating, lying scum-sucking flatmate."

Andrew shook his head. "Saf--"

"Sorry," Saffron said again. "Here's to us on our first year together."

"That's better," he smiled at her. "It's been a great year, too."

Saffron smiled back. "I could have done without most of the drama..."

"Yeah but it wasn't between us," Andrew replied. "Not really, anyway."

"We were mostly innocent bystanders," Saffron agreed.

"That's right," he agreed. "Everyone else created the drama."

"We did have our own though," Saffron said thoughtfully. "The whole Peter fiasco and then that night when my dad caught us in my bedroom at the beach house..."

"Yeah... our first and pretty much only fight to date," Andrew replied.

"That's true," Saffron realised. "Wow..."

"Because we're completely perfect for one another," Andrew leaned in and gave her a kiss.

The waiter came back to the table with their meals and Saffron grinned excitedly at her boyfriend. "It looks too pretty to eat."

"I thought you were starving," he teased her.

"It's not that pretty," Saffron giggled.

"Thank you," Andrew told the waiter. He waited until Saffron had taken her first bite before digging into his own meal.

"You want to try some of mine?" Saffron asked.

"Sure," Andrew replied. "You can have some of mine too if you want to try it."

Saffron nodded and Andrew offered a bite of his sea bass. "What do you think?"

"That's delicious," she replied. "I like the sauce."

Andrew reached across the table to grab a bite of her Curried Chicken Masala. "Think we might be breaking a load of etiquette rules?"

"Maybe," she replied with a grin. "But who cares?"

Andrew laughed. "Not me. Hey, you never told me how babysitting went last night---Em wear you out?'

"A little bit," Saffron said with a grin. "She won't leave Adam's side. It's so cute."

"She's something else," Andrew said.

"They both love having a little brother," Saffron replied. "Em even sings to him when he cries. And he stops and just stares up at her."

Andrew laughed. "No more jealousy then?"

"Not even a little," Saffron polished off the rest of her meal.

Andrew finished his too and then asked for a dessert menu. "Don't even say you're too full. You have to have dessert."

"Of course I'm having dessert," Saffron said. "Something rich and chocolaty..."

"They have chocolate pudding soufflé," Andrew said looking over the menu. "And Baked Alaska. Sticky Toffee Pudding. Cappuccino Brule..."

"Oooh the sticky toffee pudding does sound good too," Saffron said pensively.

"Have you decided?" their waiter asked.

"Yes," Andrew said. "One of each, please."

"Very good sir," the waiter replied.

"So we're going to share again?" Saffron asked with a smile.

"Oh, did you want something, too?" Andrew asked in a deadpan voice.

"Just for that maybe I'll have three desserts," Saffron returned.

"Only kidding," Andrew said holding up his hands.

Saffron reached for his hand. "I'm so happy tonight Andrew."

"So I did well then?" Andrew asked.

"You always do," she said softly.

He wished that they could go back to his flat but he knew that would be an invitation to disaster.

"What do you want to do after this?" she asked.

Andrew looked sheepishly at her. "I hadn't really thought much beyond the dinner, to be honest."

"We can go back to yours," Saffron suggested.

"Um..." Andrew bit his lower lip. "RJ might be there..."

"I promise I won't say anything to him," Saffron said squeezing his hand. "I'll ignore him..."

"He...he's not alone, Saffy," Andrew said quietly.

"Oh," Saffron replied coolly.

"Yeah," Andrew said. "She's um...well, she's around most of the time now."

"Part of me wishes you hadn't moved in with him now," Saffron toyed with her linen napkin.

Andrew had wanted to avoid this topic, but didn't see any other way around it. "He's still my best mate."

"I know but..." Saffron stopped herself. "What if we go back there and just go into your room?"

"I don't know," Andrew hedged.

"I just want to be alone with you," Saffron replied. "I won't say anything to either of them if we see them."

Andrew looked doubtfully at her. "You promise?"

"I promise," Saffron said earnestly.

"Okay," Andrew said as the waiter brought over a large tray of desserts.

"Wow," Saffron said. "This looks fantastic."

By the time they left The Ivy, they were both stuffed, but happy. It didn't take them long to get back to Andrew's flat. Andrew gave Saffron a kiss.

"Andrew, is that you?" RJ called out from the kitchen.

"Oh no," Saffron groaned.

"You promised," Andrew reminded her. He called out to his friend, "Yeah, mate. It's me and Saffy."

"Oh," RJ came into the hall. "Um... happy anniversary you two..."

"Thanks," Saffron said crisply. "Unlike some people, Andrew knows how to appreciate what he has."

"Saf," Andrew looked at her. "You promised me..."

"Saf, just because things didn't work out with Alexa and me, that doesn't mean we can't be friends," RJ said trying to reason with her.

"Come on Andrew," Saffron said. "Let's get some privacy."

Andrew loosened his tie. "Good idea. Night, RJ."

RJ nodded at them as they disappeared into Andrew's room.

"I'm sorry," Saffron apologised to her boyfriend. "He just drives me crazy!"

"It's all right," Andrew hung up his jacket.

Saffron slid off her shoes and sat down on the edge of his bed.

"Saf," he looked at her properly. "I don't know what you expect to happen tonight--"

"Oh," Saffron said blushing.

"I don't know if you even want to," Andrew's face turned a bit red as well.

"I do," Saffron admitted. "But I'm not so sure I'm ready to take that step..."

"Me either," Andrew sat down next to her. "You know how much I love you Saf... but I just don't know if either of us wants to go that far yet."

Saffron smiled at him. "We have time."

"All the time in the world," he agreed, touching her cheek.

Saffron gave him a kiss. It was things like this that made him so special to her.

"I can't get over how beautiful you look tonight," Andrew whispered.

"My mum helped," Saffron admitted.

"She probably didn't have to do much," Andrew replied, brushing her hair over her shoulder.

"You'd be surprised," Saffron said softly.

"No way," he said, pulling her closer. "You're naturally gorgeous."

"Flattery will get you everywhere," Saffron teased.

He grinned. "Then I'll just tell you the truth. You are the most beautiful..." he kissed under her jaw. "Sweetest..." he kissed under her ear. "Wonderful woman I know..." he pulled back a little. "I can't imagine being without you Saffy."

"Andrew," Saffron whispered feeling as if she was going to melt.

"Hmm?" he asked softly.

"That's the most romantic thing anyone has ever said to me," Saffron said looping her arms around his neck.

"I have it on good authority that I'm a pretty romantic guy," he said with a grin.

"Do you now?" Saffron asked.

"Uh huh," he replied, pushing her back.

"Mr. Kirke," Saffron said batting her eyelashes at him. "I think you're trying to seduce me..."

"Is it working?" he asked with a grin.

"What do you think?" Saffron asked, bringing him down with her.

He kissed her fully, running his hands through her long hair.

She'd lost count of how many times they'd kissed since they'd started going out, but this one had to be in the top five.

"Saf..." he murmured as they pulled apart for a moment. Crashing his lips back to hers, he ran his hands down her slender body.

Saffron unbuttoned his shirt eager to feel his skin underneath her fingertips.

He helped her pull it off, throwing it to the floor. Andrew continued to let his hands roam over her dress while her fingers touched his bare chest.

"Mmmm," Saffron murmured arching against him.

"Saf," he let out a strangled moan.

"Don't stop yet," Saffron said before kissing him again.

"I won't," he managed.

Saffron sat up a little and guided Andrew's hand to the zipper of her dress.

"Saf..." Andrew pulled back. "You sure about this?"

"I don't think we should go all the way yet," Saffron said softly. "But maybe...maybe it'd be okay if we went a little further..."

Andrew knew it would most likely be up to him to stop them, but he nodded. "All right," he said.

Saffron felt a little shy as Andrew slowly pulled the zipper down.

She untied the halter straps from around her neck with trembling fingers.

"You're beautiful, Saffron Grace," Andrew whispered.

Saffron raised her eyes to his. "Thanks Andrew," she said softly.

Andrew leaned in and kissed her gently.

She hugged him to her, still feeling a bit shy.

Andrew planted kisses down her neck and along her shoulder.

Her body literally felt like it was on fire and Saffron closed her eyes as his mouth moved over her skin.

"Still okay?" Andrew whispered.

"Oh yes," she answered breathlessly.

Andrew smiled and cupped his hand over her breast.

Saffron whimpered as he kissed between her breasts.

Andrew let out a low guttural moan as Saffron arched against him. He was nearing the point of no return.

"Andrew," she wanted to rip the rest of his clothes off. "If we don't stop now..."

Andrew nodded and reluctantly pulled away from her. "Right..." he said trying to catch his breath.

"I'm sorry," she apologised.

"You don't have to apologise," Andrew reassured her. "It's okay, Saffy."

"I know but--" she began.

Andrew put a finger to her lips. "It's okay. Besides, I need to get you home soon anyway..." He motioned to the clock on the bedside table that read "11:30".

"I hate curfews," she said, tying her halter straps again.

Andrew laughed as he picked up his shirt. "Necessary evil, I suppose."

She smiled at him. "I really do love you Andrew."

"I love you, too," Andrew said as he buttoned his shirt.

He helped Saffron zip up her dress and then she hugged him tightly. "Thank you so much for everything tonight Andrew. It was a perfect evening."

"You deserve the best," Andrew said holding on to her.

"You are the best," she answered, burying her face in his shoulder.

"Come on," Andrew said pulling away after a few moments. "We should get you home."

"All right," Saffron said reluctantly.

Andrew took her hand and led her out of the bedroom.

RJ and Serena were nowhere to be seen, and for that Saffron was grateful.

Andrew walked over to the fireplace. "You want to go first?"

"Sure," she answered.

Andrew offered her some floo powder. "After you...'

Saffron gave him a kiss before tossing it in and disappearing.

Andrew followed a few moments later. The sitting room was dimly lit and he figured that her parents were upstairs.

"I guess this is goodnight," she said reluctantly.

Andrew grinned. "Parting is such sweet sorrow..."

Saffron giggled. "That I shall say goodnight till it be morrow..."

"I think we should stop now since that's about all I remember from that play," Andrew said giving her a kiss.

She grinned as she put her arms around his neck. "Thank you again..."

"Thank you," Andrew said softly.

"Well, for more than just tonight," Saffron said. "I know I'm not always easy to get on with, but you never complain or anything..."

"I just wish you could find some way to be civil to RJ," Andrew said. "No matter what, he's still my friend, Saffy. Just as Lexie's yours."

"I guess I could try," Saffron said. "But I prefer to just not speak to him at all."

"That's all I ask," Andrew said. "I'll ring you tomorrow, okay?"

"Okay," she agreed. "I love you."

"I love you," Andrew said giving her one last kiss.

Saffron watched him go and then headed up to let her parents know she was home.

She knocked on her parents’ bedroom door.

"Come in," Hermione called out. Saffron pushed open the door to find her mother reading in bed. "Where's dad?"

"In the loo," Hermione replied. She set her book aside and smiled at her daughter. "So, how was your special night?"

"Oh it was lovely," Saffron said. "He took me to the Ivy!"

Hermione's eyes grew large. "The Ivy!"

Saffron nodded. "I had the best dinner, and then we took a walk and just spent time by ourselves."

"I'm very impressed," Hermione said feeling very happy for her youngest. "And you really did look beautiful tonight, Saffron."

"Thanks," Saffron smiled at her. "I'm going to bed- will you let Dad know I got in?"

"Of course," Hermione replied as Saffron kissed her on the cheek. "Sweet dreams, love."

Saffron smiled. "I'll definitely have those tonight."

Week 6: Andrew and RJ

Amynoelle: You know RJ might not show....

Heaven: He'd better show. He's got to face the music. Besides, Andrew won't let him duck out on us.

Amynoelle: We'll go easy on him....it's the readers who are going to let him have it.

Heaven: Tell me about it! Some of them were vicious!

Amynoelle: He did do something despicable...literally.

Heaven: Oh yes, I agree. But he'll get his chance to tell his side tonight.

Amynoelle: Here they are...hi guys. We're glad you could join us tonight.

Andrew: How's it going?

Heaven: Andrew I have to say, at the risk of being decapitated by Saffron, you are much hotter than I originally thought.

Andrew: *grins* Thank you.

Amynoelle: And you know you've been called the "perfect boyfriend'.

Andrew: Yeah... well that's what Saffy says...

Amynoelle: Hello, RJ. How are you doing tonight?

RJ: Fine...

Andrew: You'll have to forgive him. He's had a few drinks tonight... he's not pissed, I promise. But he really doesn't want to talk about his personal life--"

Amynoelle: Most of our questions are about his personal life and recent events in it. If he doesn't want to answer the question, he doesn't have to...

RJ: I bet everyone wants to know why I broke up with Lexie...

Heaven: Well... yes... that's part of it.

Amynoelle: How about we start with Andrew then before the fireworks start? RC wants to know Andrew---are you a single child and tell us about your family and your childhood.

Andrew: Yeah I'm an only child. My childhood was pretty simple, I have great parents. They really like Saffron a lot.

Amynoelle: And it helps I'm sure that your father went to school with Harry.

Andrew: I'm sure it does. My dad was really in awe when we first started dating.

Amynoelle: I'm not sure if anyone asked this but how did you and Andrew become friends, RJ?

Andrew: On the train, on our way to Hogwarts. We were sitting in a compartment with some other guys and we were just talking about Quidditch... then we got sorted into Gryffindor.

Heaven: RJ, we don't want you to fall asleep here so we'll ask you something. From Bel- how did it make you feel/what was your reaction when you hear Scanlon calling Alexa a little girl?

RJ: Scanlon was just taking the piss. He's good for doing that. I mean, I didn't like him making those snide remarks, but that's just the way he is.

Heaven: We've got to give him his dues... RJ you did stick up for Alexa in front of those guys.

RJ: Well, she's my girl. Um, was my girl, I mean.

Amynoelle: Rachelle wants to know if you understand how Alexa would feel left out with the way your new friends were treating her. And how do you think it made Alexa feel when she came over to your place to patch things up, but she saw you had slept with Serena ...a girl who made no secret of the fact that she wanted you...

RJ: I don't know... I don't know how she felt. We only broke up what, a week ago? Everything's still really confusing as far as Alexa's concerned. I still love her, but I don't think we're right together at the moment.

I tried not to let her feel left out, I really did. But there wasn't much I could do when she was determined to not fit in as well.

Andrew: Lexie's shy, RJ. You know that.

RJ: I know.

Heaven: Okay... moving on. Andrew... Why did you choose Saffron Potter to be your girlfriend? Can you see you two together in a long time future? Has Saffy always called you Andrew, or she has a nick name for you like Serena who calls you "Andy"??

Andrew: Saffy's amazing. She can always make me laugh and she's gorgeous, smart and loyal. That's just a few of the reasons why I love her so much. And I can't imagine being without her. We're young so it's not like we're going to go out tomorrow and get married, but when I think about the future, I definitely see her in it. And as for my name, Andy---Serena and my grandmother are the only ones who have ever called me that. Saffron just calls me Andrew. I'm not a big fan of the name Andy actually...

Heaven: I like Andrew better too...

Amynoelle: Me, too. Now, Mark's Baby wants to know if you and Saffron ever fight, Andrew...

Andrew: We have our little disagreements... but the only time we've really fought so far is that time in Brighton when her dad caught us in the room. I was really ticked at her about that. Don't get me wrong- I shouldn't have stayed in there... but when she was sitting on top of me and stuff I really couldn't do anything but... what we were doing.

Amynoelle: And then you had to sit through "the talk" with Harry Potter....

Andrew: *groans* Don't remind me.

Heaven: *laughs* We can move on again. Let's go back to RJ. Coolman has a few questions here for you. How do you choose your friends? Are you friends with your team mates only because you play for the team? Do you consider what sort of people they are? You would have noticed that unlike you Andrew has kept in touch with old friends like Jason. And do you ever wonder if your team mates are changing your personality? They seem to be people seriously lacking intelligence. You've already lost Alexa and if you aren't careful you'll lose Andrew as well. Beware!

RJ: Okay, that's not fair. I have kept in touch with Jason. Maybe not as much as Andrew, but I have more demands on my time than Andrew at the moment. And you know---people do change. I'm not the same bloke I was when I was at Hogwarts. I've grown up and I don't think I need to apologise for it!

Amynoelle: Down boy...

Heaven: Sorry RJ... that one really got a bit touchy.

RJ: Well, you might understand why I didn't really want to do this now. Amynoelle: Moving on...it's early days yet, but some of our readers wanted to know about Serena Starr. Do you think you and she are going to start dating? Or having a real relationship?

RJ: Maybe... she may not be the brightest one around, but she's fun to be with, okay? I enjoy spending time with her. It's not as serious as things were with Lexie.

Amynoelle: She reminds Heaven and me of Paris Hilton.

RJ: Who?

Heaven: She's a Muggle. Very famous in our world. For... not a whole lot. But a lot of people love her.

RJ: Sounds a lot like Serena actually.

Heaven: One more for you RJ, from RC. Why did you decide to break up with Lexie now? And do you have real feelings for Serena? If Lexie hasn’t found out about you and Serena, would you tell her the truth?? Are you ready to really let go of her and see her with someone else, like Gabe?

RJ: Boyd? *looks at Andrew* You know that wanker is loving this, don't you?

Andrew: Come on mate, Gabriel's her friend.

RJ: He's been trying to get with her since Brighton and you know it. You mark my words, he'll be letting her cry on his shoulder...

Amynoelle: If you could just answer the question, RJ.

RJ: Fine...things were not okay with Lexie and me for awhile. We're in two different places right now. And this thing with Serena and me...maybe I like it because no one's asking me to put a label on it. She's fun.

Heaven: I guess that's... understandable. It's your life and you have to do it with what's best for you. If Serena makes you happy...

Amynoelle: I don't like her, but Heaven's right...it is your life. But let's get back to the questions. Andrew, The Great Fox2000 says that you've probably heard the story of Neville Longbottom's adverse reaction to Jon and Allie's relationship. If something were to happen that caused Harry to forbid you from seeing Saffron, would you go against him, knowing full well that he is one of the most powerful wizards alive?

Andrew: Wow... that's quite a question. I'd really like to think Harry's not like that, but I suppose that yeah, I would, if it meant seeing Saffron. She's the best thing in the world to me.

Amynoelle: Awwww! And speaking of Harry Potter, Rainbow Star asks if it's intimidating that your girlfriend's father is Harry Potter. Has it made a difference in your relationship?

Andrew: It was intimidating at first, but he's really a nice bloke and he's not THE HARRY POTTER every moment he's around you. He's just any other dad, I suppose. And he'd never been anything but nice to me...well, except for that night in Brighton, but that was understandable.

Heaven: *leans on her elbow* Why do you have to be so perfect? Can I clone you? Potterchick958 feels the same way I do! She asks will you leave Saffy for me? Will you marry ME and not Saffy, because I think you are the most perfect guy on the planet? Will you want to continue with Quidditch until you get too old? What will you do after Quidditch? What will you do when Saffy graduates?

Andrew *Blushes* Um, my heart belongs to Saffy, so I'll have to decline her offer. And really you guys I'm not that great...I have faults...and Saffron could tell you about 10 of them if you asked her. And as for Quidditch, I'd love to do that for as long as I can. And maybe someday when I'm finished, perhaps I could manage my own team. And I don't know about what will happen when Saffy graduates, we've talked about possibly getting a flat together.

Heaven: You two are the most perfect couple after Harry and Hermione and Jon and Allie. Seriously. I want to pinch you both.

Amynoelle: You really are! But like all couples, I'm sure you guys have your own issues. Bel asks if you're ever annoyed by Saffron's behaviour? It's been said that she can be a bit of a brat...

Andrew: Sometimes she's a bit controlling, yeah. But she really isn't bad around me. We know how she can hold a grudge...

Amynoelle: Speaking of that, RJ...are you a little afraid of how Saffron's going to react to this?

RJ: No. Why should I be? I'm not afraid of her.

Amynoelle: I would be...but that's beside the point. Back to the questions...TheGreatFox2000 wants to know what's your reaction going to be like if Gabriel comes back and he and Alexa hit it off?

RJ: Boyd had better keep his distance.

Amynoelle: So let me get this straight, RJ....you can shag Serena Starr, but Alexa can't date someone else?

RJ: You know, I really am getting sick of you all putting me on the spot like this!

Amynoelle: I just think that's quite a double standard. If you don't want her, you're saying that no one else can...

RJ: *gets up* I have other things I have to do today...

Andrew: Come on, mate.

Heaven: These are mostly just the questions everyone wants to know, RJ. Alexa's a pretty big favourite around here... and people are upset that's all.

Amynoelle: And disappointed.

RJ: Things just sometimes don't work out! Do you think I wanted to hurt her? I love Lexie, but it's just not ...it's just working right now. Maybe someday...but it's over right now. And all of you asking about Boyd---I don't like him. He's been after Lex from Day One. And I wouldn't mind her dating anyone...just not him, okay? And guess what? I'm human---I don't like thinking of her being with anyone else!

Andrew: Calm down mate... how about we don't ask him anything else about Alexa?

Heaven: That doesn't leave many questions for him, but we'll try, okay?

Amynoelle: Like this question from PotterChick958...what do you think you'll do after Quidditch, RJ? Do you plan on ever getting married?

RJ: *relaxes* I can't see myself not playing Quidditch... I want to do it the rest of my life. And as far as marriage, I just don't know. I'm not even twenty years old, marriage isn't anywhere on my radar.

Amynoelle: And a couple of people are wondering how your family feels about your current lifestyle?

RJ: Um, well...they're supportive of me in whatever I do. And it's like I'm getting pissed every night. I'm doing what most blokes my age are doing. And my family loves Lexie...and I'm sure they're disappointed that we're not together, but that's just the way it is.

Heaven: *nods* Here's an interesting one from RC, for both of you. If you could change something in you or in your life, what would you do?

RJ: I'd... I'd probably go back and warn myself about Christina, before she drugged me. I had no idea what was going on during that time. Now that I look back on it, it was a bit scary.

Andrew: Tell me about it...she could have killed you, mate.

Amynoelle: And how about you, Andrew. What would you change if you could?

Andrew: I'm really not sure. I guess I'd have told Saffron earlier how I felt about her. We could have had more time together.

Heaven: That makes me think of a question from Natalie. What would you have done if Saffy remained with Peter?

Andrew: Lucky for me, she didn't. And I'm not one to usually move in someone else's girl, but if I knew that he was running around behind her back...I might think about it differently.

Heaven: He was, though. But then again, you guys didn't know it until the end.

Amynoelle: Exactly. And Harmonian Wonder asks RJ how it feels to see how does it feel to see Saffy and Andrew's still going strong, though theirs was/is under the same condition?

RJ: I'm happy for them. If they can make it work, more power to them.

Andrew: Thanks, mate.

Heaven: I hope this one isn't too touchy. It's from bel, and she wants to know if you were to choose between Quidditch and a relationship with Alexa, which would you choose and why? I know it seems a bit redundant, but factor out Serena and Scanlon and everyone...

RJ: *sighs and thinks about this for a few moments* I'd choose Lexie, every time.

Heaven: Really?

RJ: *quietly*: Yeah. But in a perfect world, I could have both and not have to choose. But what everyone seems to forget is that I love Lexie. And yes, okay, maybe I forgot that too, but sometimes no matter how much you love someone, it just doesn't work out.

Heaven: That's a good point...

Amynoelle: Very good point. And we'll let you off the hot seat for a moment and go back to Andrew. Miss Izzy wants to know Andrew what you think could be a potential problem for your relationship with Saffron other than your schedules?

Andrew: Distance maybe? She still has another year of school, and while I really don't think it's going to be a problem for us, it could be.

Amynoelle: We have faith in you two.

Andrew: Thanks a lot.

Heaven: I just have to ask Andrew, and so does miss granger, What was it about Saffron that made you fall in love with her?

RJ: She knocked him out and told him he was going to love her. *Grins*

Andrew: Yeah, that was pretty much it.

Amynoelle: Seriously...

Andrew: It's not just one thing, Amy. It was a lot of little things. She's just Saffron...and that's enough for me. That's what did it.

Heaven: Awwww....

Amynoelle: Awwww is the best compliment, RJ. Now, Nichole Potter86 wants to know RJ if you could change anything in your relationship with Alexa and would you ever consider being with her again after she's out of school and your lives are on the same path again. See---it's not really an accusatory question and you shouldn't have a problem answering it, RJ>

RJ: I don't know... I really don't know. I can't even say I'd change anything. We went through a lot, and it was great. And again, I still love her. But it's just not the right time for us to be together.

Amynoelle: You could always ask Maddie to look into the future...

RJ: No thanks, I'm having fun with my life.

Amynoelle: When we interview her next week, I might ask her to look into mine. But, for now this question is for Andrew from Harry85: How have you managed to remain RJ's best friend through the mistakes he did in the years? I know true friends do that, but everyone has a patience limit...

Andrew: Sure we do, but RJ's my best mate. We've had a lot of fun together and despite mistakes, we're still friends. We all make stupid decisions, but it doesn't mean we all have to stop being friends.

RJ: Thanks, mate.

Heaven: Aside from accusatory questions, I think that's it for today. Amy? Did we have any other blanks I mean questions?

Amynoelle: I don't think so. We've made RJ suffer enough. We appreciate you both agreeing to do this.

Andrew: Sure. I had a lot of fun!

RJ: It wasn't that bad.

Heaven: We're glad you thought so. Take it easy guys!

RJ: You, too. Come on, Mr. Perfect.

149. 149- don't forget to ask Ethan and Maddie your questions fo

A/N: Thanks to those of you who left me birthday wishes- I had a great day and I saw a good movie- The Prestige. Definitely worth checking out!!

Something I had to share with you guys- it just proves that Emma is truly willing to eat anything ;) I got quite a kick out of it and decided to show you all as well.

This chapter has Gabriel, then begins Christmas day with Ethan and Maddie and will go through everybody eventually. Hope you all enjoy it and please review!

Even though he missed his grandparents, Gabriel was enjoying spending the Christmas holiday with his father and stepmother. Seamus didn't film during the holidays, so he was around most of the time and Gabriel was able to do some of the sightseeing things he'd missed on his first trip.

And later that evening, Rose and Declan were coming over for dinner. Gabriel had kept a good correspondence with his paternal grandparents who were apparently very proud that their only grandson had made the dean's list on his first semester at university.

Lavender was currently going over some last minute preparations with the cook about that evening's dinner. Gabriel was enjoying a late breakfast and reading the paper. He wasn't sure but for some reason Lavender kept shooting him surreptitious looks. In fact, now that he thought about it, she'd been doing that all morning.

"All right, what?" he finally asked, setting the paper down.

Lavender shrugged. "I have no idea what you're talking about, Gabriel."

"You keep giving me these weird looks," Gabriel replied. "Have I got something on my face?"

"No," Lavender said shaking her head. "I just am so happy that you're here with us for the holidays. Can't I be happy? I mean, that's not a crime, is it?"

"No," Gabriel said. "Sorry..."

Lavender grinned at him. She knew that she was meddling and Seamus had warned her against it, but she was a good matchmaker. After all, she'd had a hand in getting Harry and Hermione together, hadn't she? They didn't think so, but she knew if it hadn't been for her, they'd never have gotten together.

"So what do you have on tap for today?" Lavender asked taking a seat across from Gabriel at the table.

"Absolutely nothing," Gabriel said with a grin. "You have no idea how good it feels to say that."

Lavender laughed. "I can imagine."

"I know it's only my first semester of school, but it was really taxing," Gabriel leaned back.

"I don't know much about pre-med, but I imagine it's only going to get worse," Lavender said thoughtfully. "But you should enjoy your college years too, Gabe. You can't spend all your time in a library."

"I enjoy my classes," Gabriel said. "And half the time when I'm done studying, I just want to collapse."

"Well, these next couple of weeks you can just relax and take it easy," Lavender said smiling at him.

"I plan on it," Gabriel agreed. "I think tomorrow I'm seeing Saffron."

Lavender nodded. When Gabriel got up to get another cup of coffee, she checked her watch. She'd asked for the delivery to be at 10:30 and it was just about that time. "What are you going to do with Saffy?" Lavender asked.

"I'm not sure yet," Gabriel replied. "Perhaps a movie or something."

"Sounds good," Lavender said just as the doorbell chimed. "Could you get that, Gabriel? I need to go over something with Maria about the guest room..."

"Sure," Gabriel said setting his coffee mug down.

Lavender hid in the doorway as her stepson answered the door.

"Delivery from O'Leary's bakery," Alexa said from behind the stack of boxes she held.

Gabriel didn't really pick up on the name of the bakery as he stood back to let the delivery girl into the penthouse. "This must be something my step---Alexa?"

"Gabriel?" Alexa peeked around.

He stared at her for a few moments before finally remembering that she had a number of boxes in her hand. "Sorry," he said grabbing the top three boxes from her. As he did so, he got a better look at her and it wasn't his imagination, she was actually prettier than he remembered. "Hi..."

"I didn't even realise I was delivering here," she blushed. She set her boxes down. "It's really good to see you Gabe."

"You too," Gabriel said smiling at her. "I'm spending the holidays with my dad and Lavender."

Alexa nodded. "I think Saffron mentioned something about that to me."

"So, how have you been?" Gabriel asked.

Alexa shrugged. "Okay..."

Gabriel looked at her. "That doesn't sound like an okay-okay, Lexie. What's going on?"

"I guess Saffron didn't tell you," Alexa pressed her lips together for a moment. "RJ and I broke up."

"You did?" Gabriel asked.

"A few days ago," she said softly.

It wasn't really his business, but he was dying to know what had happened. "Was it mutual?"

Alexa shook her head.

"I'm sorry," Gabriel said. "If you don't mind me saying, he's an idiot."

"Yeah well..." Alexa looked away for a moment. "Let's just say he found someone that suits him better."

"Are you doing okay?" Gabriel asked. "Breakups are never easy. Believe me, I know."

"I'm just keeping busy and trying not to think about it," she replied.

"Good approach," Gabriel said smiling reassuringly at her.

"Yeah well... Saffy keeps telling me it's his loss," Alexa said quietly. "I'm having a little trouble keeping that thought in mind, but--"

"It is his loss," Gabriel said. "And someday, he's going to realise that."

"Thanks," Alexa said as he gave her a hug. She closed her eyes and remembered how it had felt when he had kissed her, then pushed the thought from her head.

Gabriel let her go and smiled at her. "You smell like cinnamon."

"That happens when you work in a bakery," she returned, also smiling.

Gabriel laughed. "Right."

"How's school?" she asked, not noticing Lavender peering in from the kitchen. "I've missed you Gabe- I want to hear everything that's been going on."

"Do you have time?" Gabriel asked. "I don't want to keep you if you have other deliveries..."

"This was the only one," Alexa replied. "We're only doing deliveries today- and Mum's got Ben doing the rest."

"Great," Gabriel said leading the way into the sitting room. He was eager to catch up with her as well. "School's hectic, to tell you the truth."

"I'm sure it is," Alexa sat down next to him. "But med school, it's such a big deal!"

"I'm just in pre-med now, but the course load is unbelievable," Gabriel said shaking his head. "By the end of the day, I just want to fall into bed and sleep for hours, you know?"

Alexa nodded. "What sorts of courses are you taking?"

"Sciences and maths mostly, but a few literature courses too for the general college requirements," Gabriel said. "Of course, I had some Advanced Placement credits already so that helped."

"Good for you Gabe," Alexa touched his arm. "I'm really proud of you. You're following your dreams."

"And what about you?" Gabriel asked smiling at her. "I really enjoyed those short stories you sent me in that last letter. You really are talented, Lex."

Alexa blushed. "Thanks... I'm still writing, but lately I just really haven't been inspired."

"Because of RJ, you mean?" Gabriel asked.

She nodded. "I tried to sit down and write something last night but I wound up throwing it out. I just need some time."

Lavender wished she had some Extendable Ears so she could hear better. She really had to talk to Ron about getting a set of those.

"What the hell are you doing?" Seamus asked from behind her, startling her.

"Shhhh!" Lavender whispered furiously. "Gabe's in there with Alexa!"

Seamus raised an eyebrow. "Let me guess, you had something to do with this and now you're trying to eavesdrop?"

"She had a delivery to make here," Lavender gestured at the boxes. "I ordered you some of that fudge and some pastries for Rose and Declan."

"Well, that was very nice of you," Seamus said. "But you usually use that French bakery, don't you?"

Lavender shrugged. "What's wrong with a little change?"

Seamus rolled his eyes. "You are so transparent."

She made a face at her husband and took the boxes into the kitchen. "What's so wrong with wanting my stepson to be happy?"

"Nothing, but pushing some girl on him---" Seamus started to say.

"I'm not pushing anyone on anyone," Lavender glared at him.

"Yes you are," Seamus said reaching for one of the pastries, but getting his hand slapped away by his wife. "Lav, she's dating RJ Weasley..."

"No she's not," Lavender told him. "Saffron told me they broke up."

"Well, that certainly explains things," Seamus said pouring himself a cup of coffee.

"And I honestly never thought they were much of a fit," Lavender said knowingly. "They're too different, but Alexa and Gabriel...perfect for each other."

"Just don't push," Seamus said. "Lav, let Gabe handle things on his own, all right?"

"I just gave a tiny nudge," Lavender said innocently.

"Then let that be all you give," Seamus warned.

"Okay, okay," Lavender said crossing her fingers behind her back.

"Lavender," Seamus raised an eyebrow.

"Yes, my love?" Lavender asked pulling an innocent face.

"Don't push," he said firmly. "I know you want what's best for Gabe, but he'll do what he needs to do at his own pace."

"Okay," Lavender begrudgingly said. "I promise I will not interfere."

"Thank you," he leaned forward to give her a kiss.

"You're welcome," Lavender said before pressing her lips to his. Seamus sat down at the table with his coffee and Lavender stepped out of the kitchen so she could see what was going on in the sitting room.

"And you should have seen the look on his face when Dad let him drive the SUV," Gabriel was telling Alexa. "Nico looked like he'd died and gone to heaven."

Alexa laughed. "He sounds like an interesting guy."

"He's nothing if not interesting," Gabriel said. "I hope you get to meet him someday."

"I hope so too," Alexa replied. "I didn't tell you this, but I've started looking at colleges again... and one is USC."

Gabriel couldn't stop the smile from spreading on his face. "Really? Lexie, you'd love USC. They have a really great Creative Writing program."

"Maybe when I come for a tour you can show me around," she asked.

"It's a date," Gabriel said without thinking. At the amused look on Alexa's face, he turned red. "I mean, it's a deal."

"Right," Alexa blushed as well.

Gabriel let out a nervous laugh.

"Saffron said something about getting together tomorrow night," Alexa fiddled with her shirt.

"She mentioned something about that to me as well," Gabriel said looking down at his jeans.

"Sounds like it could be fun," Alexa said tentatively.

Gabriel nodded. "Saffy's always good for a laugh, isn't she?"

"You have no idea how great she's been," Alexa replied.

"She's your best friend," Gabriel said. "And she'd do anything for you, Alexa."

Alexa nodded. "She and Andrew just celebrated their first anniversary."

"I heard," Gabriel said nodding. "They seem pretty solid."

"I'm happy for them," Alexa said softly. "Andrew's completely mad about her."

He could hear the wistful tone in her voice. "You'll find that again, Alexa."

"It'll be awhile before I start looking," she twisted a long lock of her hair around her finger.

"Oh," Gabriel said quietly.

Alexa wished she had thought before she said that. "Well um... it's just that..."

"You're still getting over RJ," Gabriel said looking at her.

"It hasn't been very easy," she said. "But I don't want to bother you with details."

"I don't mind," Gabriel said. "You listened to me talk about Emily."

"It's okay," Alexa replied. "I've done nothing but think and talk about RJ... it's nice to talk to someone who has other interests for a change."

Gabriel smiled at her. "I, um, well my grandparents are coming in from Ireland tonight and Lavender's having this big dinner for them. Would you...would you like to join us?"

"You want me to come?" Alexa asked in surprise. "I'd have thought you would want to spend some time alone with them."

"They'll be here until after Christmas," Gabriel said. "And I'd really like it if you were there. I'm sure my dad wouldn't mind you being here."

Alexa smiled. "Okay," she agreed.

"You'll come?" Gabriel asked.

"Sure," she replied. "I'll ring you later once I talk to my parents but I'm sure it'll be fine."

"Great," Gabriel said grinning at her. "Dinner's at seven."

"Sounds good," Alexa stood up. "I should get back to the bakery."

Gabriel stood up as well and walked her to the door. "It's really great to see you again, Alexa."

"I'm glad you're back for the hols," she gave him a hug.

"Me too," Gabriel said hugging her back.

Alexa gave him a quick kiss on the cheek before leaving.

Gabriel touched his cheek and smiled.

"Did that delivery come?" Lavender asked breaking him out of his reverie.

"What?" Gabriel jumped.

"The delivery from the bakery?" Lavender asked smiling at him.

"Yeah," Gabriel motioned to the three boxes still sitting on the table. "Where'd the others go?"

"Um, Seamus must have gotten those," Lavender covered. "You know how your father is with fudge..."

"Yeah," Gabriel smiled.

"You look rather pleased with yourself," Lavender said innocently.

"Alexa was the delivery girl," Gabriel replied.

"Was she really?" Lavender asked. "What a small world..."

Gabriel gave her a look. "You knew she was coming."

"I did not," Lavender lied.

"O'Leary's bakery and you didn't know?" Gabriel smirked at her. "She's going to come over for dinner tomorrow night, if that's okay."

Lavender beamed at him. "That's fantastic, Gabriel! We have more than enough food and Declan and Rose will love her..."

"Just don't try and play matchmaker," Gabriel said. "She's getting over RJ."

"Me?" Lavender asked. "Matchmaker?"

Seamus snorted from the doorway. "He knows you too well."

"She's pretty transparent," Gabriel said grinning at his stepmother.

"You two," Lavender stamped her foot. "I am not transparent! I just care, that's all!"

"I appreciate your efforts on my behalf," Gabriel said helping himself to one of the pastries.

"Those are for Rose and Declan," Lavender took it out of his hand.

"B-but--" Gabriel sputtered.

"Give it up," Seamus replied.

"There are six boxes here, Lavender," Gabriel argued. "Surely, I could have just one..."

"One," Lavender relented.

"Thank you," Gabriel said retrieving the pastry. "You're the best."

"He gets one but I don't?" Seamus asked his wife.

"You can have one too," Lavender said. "But only one."

"Thank you," Seamus pecked her on the cheek.

"You're welcome," Lavender said. "Admit it; you two would be completely lost without me."

"How did you know?" Seamus asked.

"I'm very intuitive," Lavender said modestly.

Gabriel grinned at her.

"Come on, Gabe," Seamus said. "We'd better get a move on if we want to hit the shops..."

"It's four days before Christmas," Lavender admonished. "You waited until the last minute again, didn't you?"

"Maybe I did, maybe I didn't." Seamus put his empty coffee cup in the sink.

"You're unbelievable," Lavender admonished before walking out of the kitchen.

"What's unbelievable is her if we didn't have anything with her name on it under the tree on Christmas morning," Seamus joked.

Gabriel laughed. "I don't know if we'd ever recover from that, Dad."

"We wouldn't," Seamus confirmed.

"So where are we going first?" Gabriel asked.

"Harrods," Seamus put his coat on.

Gabriel sighed. "I really hate shopping."

"It's not on my fun list but it's got to be done," Seamus patted his arm. "One of life's necessary evils."

Gabriel grabbed his coat. "Let's get it over with then."

"Good idea," Seamus said as they left.

"What time are Grandma Rose and Grandpa getting here?" Gabriel asked as they got on the lift.

"Around five," Seamus said.

"I'm really looking forward to seeing them again," Gabriel said.

"Mum's dying to see you as well," Seamus replied. "She keeps talking about having a doctor around now. And Da's wanting you on the golf course."

Gabriel smiled. "Maybe during Spring Break...'"

"Don't forget to ring Margaret and Lewis," Seamus reminded him. "They're eight hours behind us here."

"I will," Gabriel promised.

"They really weren't angry about you coming over here for the hols were they?" Seamus hailed a taxi.

"Gran wasn't," Gabriel admitted. "But, Grandpa was a little...um...."

"He's still not happy with me," Seamus nodded.

"I'm sorry, Dad," Gabriel said quietly.

"It's not your fault Gabe," Seamus told him.

"I keep hoping he'll come around," Gabriel said.

"Sooner or later he'll have to," Seamus said. "Now that you're here Gabe..."

"What?" Gabriel asked.

"I'm just glad you're here," Seamus said. "I know you'll probably think I spoiled you a bit this Christmas but I couldn't help it."

"What did you do?" Gabriel asked. "Dad--"

"You'll see," Seamus wore a mysterious grin.

Gabriel laughed. "Okay, okay."

Seamus groaned as they pulled up to Harrods. "Ready for the crowds?"

"Not really," Gabriel admitted. "But the sooner we get in, the sooner we can get out."

"Right," Seamus sighed. "Well come on then... this can't be worse than working with Bruce Green again..."

"Says you," Gabriel joked.

He cuffed his son. "Laurie Hoffman was asking about you."

"It's not nice to lie to your son," Gabriel said to him.

"Would this face lie?" Seamus asked.

"There's a reason why you work behind the camera and not in front of it, Dad," Gabriel said. "You're no actor."

"Nice to know how much faith my son has in me," Seamus said, pushing his son inside as he saw some paparazzi approach.

They made quick work of their shopping despite the large crowds. Gabriel was able to find a small gift for Lavender and a few things for his grandparents with Seamus' help, of course.

"That wasn't as bad as I thought," Gabriel admitted.

"Did you get anything for Alexa?" Seamus asked as they made their way back home.

"Do you think I should?" he asked.

"You fancy her, right?" Seamus asked him.

"Dad," Gabriel complained.

"I'm not trying to matchmake," Seamus said quickly. "I'm just trying to help you out. If you do fancy this girl, and I'm not saying that you do or don't, you should buy her a little something."

"Maybe I will," Gabriel mused.

"We can stop somewhere else if you like," Seamus suggested. "That way you don't have to go back out..."

"I have no idea what to get her," Gabriel said. "And what if I get her something and she thinks it's too forward of me?"

"You could always buy something neutral," Seamus said thoughtfully. "Do you know what sort of music she likes? Or books? "

"Maybe I should ask Saffron," Gabriel suggested.

"You can use my mobile if you'd like," Seamus said reaching into his pocket for it.

"Thanks," Gabriel took it. "I left mine at home."

"No problem," Seamus said looking out the window as his son dialed his cousin.

Gabriel talked with Saffron for a few moments. "Saf said she likes classical music," he told his father when he hung up.

"Tower Records in Piccadilly Circus," Seamus told the driver.

"Thanks Dad," Gabriel said gratefully.

"It's my pleasure," Seamus said. "It's what fathers are supposed to do, right?"

"I suppose," Gabriel grinned at him.

"Help you with the ladies," Seamus said leaning back in his seat.

"I need all the help I can get," Gabriel leaned back against the seat.

"Just be yourself," Seamus advised.

"I will," he answered.

*** *** ***

Due to a three am twirl in the snow in their backyard, Ethan and Maddie slept in a bit on Christmas morning. It was around half past nine when he finally stirred, only to find his wife lying half across his chest.

"Mrs. Potter," Ethan said sleepily.

"Mmm..." Maddie mumbled.

"Happy Christmas, Mrs. Potter," Ethan said tickling her side.

Maddie jumped. "Ethan!"

Ethan laughed. "Yes?"

"I'm too tired to get up," she buried her face in his shoulder.

"Even for presents?" Ethan asked. "And I can hear Blue rattling his cage downstairs..."

"Oooh," Maddie suddenly perked up. "I do have some lovely gifts for him."

"What about for your husband?" Ethan asked.

"Some for him too," Maddie pressed her lips to his. "Happy Christmas."

"Happy Christmas," Ethan said again.

"Our first one as a married couple," Maddie smiled dreamily at him. "I can't believe it was almost a year ago now that you proposed."

"This will be the first of many Christmases together," Ethan promised giving her another kiss.

"That sounds absolutely marvellous," Maddie closed her eyes.

"Come on," Ethan said feeling like a little kid. "Let's go see what Santa left you."

"Okay," Maddie grinned. "Maybe another Cornish Pixie."

"We can barely cope with the one we have," Ethan joked as he pulled the covers back.

Maddie pulled her robe on and brushed her hair back over her shoulders. "Want some hot chocolate?" she asked.

"That sounds great," Ethan said. "How about I fix it and you let the blue demon out of his cage?"

Maddie giggled. "Sure."

They held hands as they went downstairs. Blue was sitting on the swing in his cage wearing a small red Santa hat. "Where did he get that?" Maddie asked.

"I don't know," Ethan replied.

When the pixie spotted Maddie, he rattled the bars of his cage.

"Happy Christmas, Blue!" Maddie exclaimed.

"I think you'd better let him out," Ethan chortled. "He's liable to pull those bars right off."

Maddie giggled and undid the lock on his cage. "Come on out, you."

Blue flew right to her shoulder and pecked her on the cheek.

"Awwww," Maddie said smiling sideways at him. "That's my baby."

Ethan shook his head. "He's more and more human by the day. What are you feeding him?"

"He doesn't like that pixie food I picked up from the Magical Menagerie," Maddie explained. "He...well, he ...you promise you won't laugh?"

"I'll try," Ethan replied.

"He likes fish and chips," Maddie admitted. "So, I've been getting that for him every night."

Ethan stared at her. "Fish and chips?"

"Yes," Maddie said defensively. "A month or so, I came home late from work. You were out of town and I picked up fish and chips on the way home...well, I was eating it and Blue was just staring at me like he wanted a bite. So, I gave him one and he looked positively elated, Ethan."

Ethan shook his head and stifled a laugh. "This doesn't surprise me in the least."

"He also likes toast and black currant jam," Maddie said. "So, if you could make that for him while you're making the hot chocolate..."

"Anything else?" Ethan asked. "Some scones, perhaps? Or how about a full seven course meal?"

Maddie rubbed her stomach. "Maybe later, but for now the toast and hot chocolate will do."

Ethan muttered to himself as he disappeared into the kitchen.

"Okay," Maddie said to Blue, who was still perched on her shoulder. "I have a special present for you. Are you ready to open it?"

Blue flew around her head excitedly.

Maddie reached under the tree and pulled out a small box. "Here you go."

Blue eagerly tore into the box with his little claws.

Maddie bit her bottom lip hoping he'd like what she'd bought. She watched as Blue pulled back the tissue paper to reveal the small wireless.

The little pixie cackled and flew up near the ceiling with the tiny radio.

"You can listen to it anytime you want," Maddie said happily.

Blue took it into his little cage then flew back onto Maddie's shoulder.

"And I think Ethan got you something too," Maddie said. She looked under the tree and pulled out another small box. "Here you go."

Blue let out another happy sounding cackle and dug into the box.

"Ethan!" Maddie called out. "He's opening yours now!"

"You couldn't wait two seconds?" his voice drifted out.

"You don't want to miss this!" Maddie called out.

Ethan appeared in the doorway as Blue finally managed to open the box.

Maddie looked at the very small cage and looked quizzically at Ethan. "What---"

Ethan pulled his wand out. "Try this on for size little guy," he said as he set the cage on the ground and tapped it. To Maddie's astonishment, it grew until it was almost as tall as her.

"Ethan!" Maddie squealed.

"What do you think?" Ethan asked with a grin. "I thought his cage might be getting a bit small."

"I love it," Maddie said still in awe. She watched as Blue flew inside the cage. "And I think he loves it, too!"

"There's room for a lot in there," Ethan said. "I thought you could make him a little bed down there and he's got all the space he needs up here to eat and we can hang his swing... what?"

Maddie launched herself at him and planted kisses all over his face. "That's the sweetest, most kindest, most wonderful thing..."

"If I get a reaction like that I'll buy him a new cage every week," Ethan said with a huge grin.

Maddie grinned back at him. "So, do you want to get back to the cocoa and toast or do you want to see what I got for you?"

"It's almost ready," Ethan replied. "I'll get it and then we can give each other gifts."

"Okay," Maddie said giving him another kiss. "Hurry!"

"All right all right," Ethan went back into the kitchen.

Maddie settled back on the sofa and watched Blue as he flew around his new cage.

"Like it baby?" she asked. "We'll make it really comfortable for you before tonight, I promise."

Blue beamed at her and Maddie giggled. She wished that Dolly could have met Blue.

"All right," Ethan came back into the room with two mugs and a plate of toast and jam balanced on a tray.

"Come on out," Maddie said to Blue. "Daddy fixed you a nice plate of toast."

"We can put it right into the new place," Ethan pushed the toast inside. "Eat your heart out buddy."

Blue eagerly picked up a piece of toast and nibbled on it.

Ethan laughed as he sat down next to his wife and handed her a mug of hot chocolate.

"Thanks," Maddie said. "This smells so good!"

"Perfect for Christmas morning," he agreed. "All right, you open first."

Maddie set her mug aside and stood up. She looked under the tree and saw four packages with her name written on the tag. "Which one should I open first?"

"Doesn't matter," Ethan sat back.

Maddie picked up the larger box and sat down beside the tree. "It's kind of heavy..."

"Yeah," Ethan grinned. "Open it already..."

"Okay, okay," Maddie said laughing. She unwrapped the present and gasped. "Ethan..."

"I knew you'd wanted one of these," Ethan said as she pulled out the heavy silver picture frame. "You put all the photos you want to display in there and it shows them all like a Muggle slide show."

She'd seen one at Drew and Darla's and had admired it every time she'd seen it. "I love it!"

"Knew you would," Ethan gave her a kiss.

Maddie set it on the coffee table and then retrieved another package from underneath the tree. Inside was the prettiest jumper she'd ever seen. It was a light blue colour. "Ethan, this is cashmere!"

"Julie and Saffy convinced me that you'd like that one," Ethan confessed.

Maddie smiled at him. "I'm going to wear it today to Nana's."

"You'll look gorgeous in it," he said softly.

Maddie leaned over and gave him a kiss. "Thank you, Ethan."

"Very welcome," he replied.

Maddie picked up another package which was smaller than the previous two. Inside were two charms that she could put on her charm bracelet.

"It's a little pixie!" she said happily. "What's this one though?" she looked closely at it.

"Snowflake," Ethan said smiling at her. "You know..."

"You are so perfect," she threw her arms around him.

Ethan hugged her tightly. "I'll remind you of that next time we have a row."

She giggled. "Your turn now."

Ethan shook his head. "You have one more..."

"Oooooh," Maddie retrieved the gift.

Ethan watched as Maddie opened her last present. It was a print of one of her favourite pieces of art. She and Ethan had seen it in a gallery a few months ago.

She squealed. "You remembered!!!"

"Well, I practically had to drag you away from it," Ethan teased.

"You're quite the good secret keeper," Maddie told him. "I never in a million years thought you'd be this good at getting gifts and not telling about them."

"I learned a few things over the years watching my parents," Ethan said.

"You did very, very good." she kissed him. "Thank you so much."

"It was my pleasure," Ethan said touching her cheek. "I just want to make you happy, Mads."

"You always make me happy," Maddie said softly.

Ethan gave her another kiss before getting to his feet. "Let's see what you got me, Mrs. Potter."

"I think you'll like it," she smiled as he tore into his first box.

"What's in here?" Ethan asked.

"Open it and find out, silly," Maddie gave him a goofy grin.

Ethan had to stand up since the box was so big. His jaw dropped. "Maddie...this is that new racing broom!"

"Surprise," she laughed.

"Wow," Ethan asked as he pulled it from the box. "This is...you are....this is...just ...wow."

"I didn't know it would make you speechless," Maddie giggled. "But I'm glad you like it."

"I'll even take you for a ride on it later," Ethan promised.

"That's a deal," Maddie agreed.

Ethan smiled. "And do my eyes deceive me or do I have one more present under there?"

"You should have two," Maddie replied. "Your dad helped me with this next one."

"Oh, here's the other one," Ethan said picking up one of the packages. "Let's see how you and Dad did..."

Maddie could hardly wait for him to open it and the two seconds it took for him to tear into the box were almost excruciating.

"Whoa," Ethan said his jaw dropping.

"It's your own invisibility cloak," Maddie bit her lower lip. "I hope it's not too boring, but I thought you could use it for work."

"Whoa," Ethan repeated pulling it out. "This is amazing, Mads. Saffy has Dad's..."

"I know how much you liked his," Maddie replied. "And we searched everywhere for one... it took a few months to track that down."

Ethan gave her a kiss. "Thanks."

"You're very welcome," she replied, happy that he liked it. "Your last one is a bit ordinary by comparison..."

"I'm sure that I'll love it," Ethan said picking up the last box.

Inside was a jumper almost exactly like the one he'd gotten her. "Great minds think alike," she joked.

"Very much so," Ethan said laughing.

"Happy Christmas," Maddie put her arms around her husband.

"Happy Christmas," Ethan said giving her a kiss. He would have loved to stay there with her for the rest of the day, but they were due at the Burrow soon.

"Think we have time to take a shower together?" she asked.

"We'll make time," Ethan said picking her up.

"Ethan!" Maddie giggled.

"You love this and you know it," Ethan said making his way toward the stairs.

"I have to admit I do," she said as he carried her into their bathroom.

150. 150- E/M interview!

Thanks again to those of you that left me birthday wishes! I appreciate the thought!

This chapter ends Christmas, and next one brings Emma’s third birthday. Can you guys believe she’s THREE already? Both RJ/Alexa and Gabe/Alexa fans will be happy in the next chapter ;)

As always, thanks to those of you who reviewed, and next week’s interview will be with Caroline and Emma! R/R!!!

Ethan and Maddie were more than a little late for breakfast at the Burrow and snuck in just as everyone was sitting down.

"There are the newlyweds," Julie teased. "Busy morning?"

"Maddie's hair's still wet," Drew joked.

"Very funny," Ethan replied. "I'm starved."

"You're not the last to arrive," Molly reassured them. "RJ hasn't shown up yet."

"Big surprise there," Jon rolled his eyes.

"He'll be here," Andrew promised ignoring the look on Saffron's face. So far, they'd agreed not to mention RJ as to avoid conflict, but Saffron had made it quite clear she wanted nothing more to do with him.

"Minus that hussy," she muttered.

"Everyone tuck in!" Molly exclaimed. "If RJ doesn't arrive, we'll make sure to save him a plate."

"I bet he went to get Lexie," Caroline said excitedly. "I bet her Mummy and Daddy will let her come!"

"Caroline," Allison said in a quiet voice. "We explained about that, remember?"

"Oh," Caroline said looking down at her plate.

"This really looks fantastic, Molly," Harry told their host.

"Thank you, Harry dear." Molly smiled fondly at him. "Eat up- you're looking entirely too thin right now."

"You say that every time you see me," Harry pointed out.

"Then eat up and I won't have to," Molly replied.

Ron was already on his third helping with Emma keeping up right alongside him.

"Gampa waffle," Emma said pointing to the plate that was on the other side of him. "Peas?"

"Here you go Em," Ron put it on her plate. "Syrup too?"

Emma nodded. "Em loves syr-up!"

"That's my girl," Ron replied delightedly.

Molly placed a small bowl of porridge on each of the triplets' high chairs. "Lizzy, they're getting so big!"

"Too big," Lizzy looked over at her babies, who were eating happily.

Josh smiled at Casey who held up her spoon and waved it at him.

"Hey you," he made a goofy face and she giggled.

"Da," Casey said before taking a bite of her porridge.

"Da," Noah echoed.

Aidan banged his spoon on the tray for a few moments. "Daaaaaaaaaa...." he dragged the word out.

"Do they do everything in threes?" Saffron asked with a giggle.

"Except say mama," Lizzy said. "They love saying Da or Dada..."

"They'll be saying it before you know it," Josh reassured her.

"I hope so," Lizzy said.

Outside the Burrow, RJ was regretting his decision to invite Serena along. Well, he hadn't so much as invited her as she'd invited herself.

"I hope I don't have to remember names," Serena said thoughtfully. "I'm terrible with remembering names..."

"Well there's a pretty big crowd in there," RJ told her.

"You have what, like 13 brothers and sisters," Serena said as he opened the door.

"Six," RJ corrected. "And they're all married... or going to be."

"RJ?" he heard his mother call out. "Is that you?"

"Hi Mum," he called back. "Happy Christmas!"

"You'd better get in here, son, before Emma and I eat everything," Ron called out.

"Come on," RJ said as Serena latched herself onto his arm.

The kitchen went quiet when they saw RJ wasn't alone. Saffron glared at her former friend. "Mum, Dad," RJ said breaking the silence. "I'd like you to meet Serena Starr. Serena, this is my mother, Luna. And that bloke over there is my dad, Ron."

"Hello," Serena replied in a sunny tone.

"Um, hello," Luna said politely. "We didn't know RJ was bringing a guest."

"It was sort of last minute," RJ said lamely. "And you know Andrew," RJ said pointing to his flatmate who was sitting across from them. "And Saffy..."

"Yes," Serena said smiling at Andrew. "Hi, Andy."

"Hi Serena," Andrew said in a controlled tone.

"Happy Christmas, Saf," RJ said taking a seat. He hadn't seen her since he'd broken things off with Alexa.

Saffron ignored him and instead took another pancake off the platter in the middle of the table.

"I'm afraid I've never listened to your music, dear," Molly said to Serena. "It's not really my style...."

"I've been told I sound like a young Celestina," Serena tossed her hair over her shoulder.

"Celestina, I know," Molly said picking up the platter of pancakes and offering her one.

"Ew, no thank you," Serena said. "I can't eat carbs."

"Oh," Molly set the platter down. "Well what can I get for you dear?"

"Can you make me an egg white omelette? Serena asked as if Molly was her personal chef. "And please don't use too much grease...I abhor grease."

RJ nudged her. "This isn't a restaurant Serena," he said quietly.

"Oh," Serena said with a slight laugh. "Do you have any fresh fruit then?"

"That I do have," Molly exchanged a look with Ron as she got up.

Emma got up and walked around the table. She tugged on RJ's sleeve. "Uncle RJ?"

"Hey Em," RJ smiled. "Happy Christmas."

Emma smiled back at him. "Where Lexie? Em likes Lexie!"

"Uh... Lexie isn't coming Em..." RJ's smile dropped. "She's with her family today."

"No thanks to you," Saffron couldn't help muttering.

"Lexie come later?" Emma asked hopefully.

"Sorry Em," Saffron said in a louder tone. "RJ doesn't want Lexie here."

"Saf come on," Andrew said quietly.

"Leave it, Saffy," RJ said through clenched teeth.

Emma climbed into Saffron's lap. "Em don't like her," she whispered in Saffron's ear.

"Neither do I," Saffron whispered back.

An uncomfortable silence fell over the table and RJ again regretted his decision to have Serena come along. He should have known better.

"Oh my God!" Serena squealed. "Harry Potter!"

Harry turned a bright red. "Hello," he said.

"Wow," Serena said grinning at him. "I had no idea you'd be here! This is just...wow!"

"Yes well... we've been close with the family for ages..." Harry was clearly uncomfortable with the attention.

Katie walked over to Serena. "I have all your cd's! And I think you're the best singer ever."

"Well thank you little girl," Serena said brightly.

Katie beamed at her. "Someday I want to be a singer and an actress and a model..."

"Well I'm sure you will be," Serena told her. "Just make sure you always look perfect when you leave the house, and make sure you know that you're the absolute best. That's what has helped me get to the top."

"It's more important what's on the inside," Saffron told her niece.

Ashley nodded in agreement. "Definitely."

"That's all well and good for you, Sandra," Serena said throwing her hair back over her shoulders. "But I've been in this business since I was a little girl and appearances matter."

"It's SAFFRON," she said icily. "And I suppose if your outward appearance is all that you have, then yes, it does matter. But luckily--"

"Saffron," Julie cautioned.

"Here's your fruit," Molly set a large plate in front of the young woman.

"Thank you," Serena said flashing her a dazzling smile. "It looks lovely."

"Thanks Nana," RJ sent his grandmother a grateful look.

"You're welcome," Molly said patting his shoulder. "Now, you....I know you love to eat pancakes. I made a fresh platter just for you."

"Perfect," RJ said happily. "I'm starving."

"Wonder why," Saffron grumbled. "Probably got another double workout last night."

"Saffy---" Andrew said putting his hand on her arm. "Just forget about it."

Saffron opened her mouth to disagree but snapped it shut. "All right," she conceded. "For now..."

"Good girl," Andrew said giving her a kiss on the cheek.

Saffron still wasn't happy but she didn't want to ruin Christmas for anyone.

Emma walked back over to her seat and happily rejoined her grandfather in eating more pancakes.

"So," RJ said to his older sister. "How was your first Christmas as a married girl, Maddie?"

"Wonderful," Maddie said. "Ethan got me the best gifts and he even got Blue a new cage."

"Score one for Potter," RJ said to his brother-in-law.

"I did do pretty well," Ethan said putting his arm around Maddie.

"Very, very well." Maddie leaned against him.

"Did you like the cloak?" Harry asked his son.

Ethan nodded. "It's fantastic. Thank you so much for helping Mads find it,."

"You're quite welcome," Harry said. "We tried to get Saffy to let you have mine..."

"Over my dead body," Saffron said grinning at her brother. "It's mine, mine, mine!"

"Where does that leave me?" Julie teased.

"You had it when you were at Hogwarts," Harry reminded her. "But now you're in a position of authority..."

"I could tell the new headmaster about Saffy's," Julie teased.

"Jules don't you dare!" Saffron said with a grin.

Julie laughed. "Your secret is safe with me. Just don't use it for any nefarious purposes, young lady."

"I never do," Saffron said quickly.

"I can vouch for her," RJ said trying to make an effort. "She used it for good and not evil, right Saf?"

"I never even used it with Andrew while he was at school," Saffron ignored RJ again. "So you'll know I've been good with it."

"That's what I like to hear," Harry said. He leaned back in his chair. "Molly, you've outdone yourself again. I don't think I can move my stomach is so full."

"I'll send you home with leftovers," Molly promised him.

Harry smiled. "Thank you."

"I'm stuffed too," Hermione leaned against him. "I haven't eaten like that in ages."

"Well, we'll have work that off later," Harry whispered in her ear.

"That's a plan, Potter." Hermione answered with a grin.

Serena ate half of the fruit on her plate and then rested her head on RJ's shoulder.

"Sleepy?" RJ asked.

"Only because of you," she purred.

Saffron rolled her eyes.

"How about we all go into the sitting room and open up presents?" Molly suggested.

"Fine idea, Mum," Fred agreed. The children practically tripped over each other to get out of the kitchen followed by their parents. Maddie and Ethan lingered with the teens to clear the table.

Saffron watched in disgust as Serena leaned in to kiss RJ's neck.

"That's it!" Saffron said pushing back in her chair.

"Saffy," Ethan put a hand on his sister's arm.

"No," Saffron said shaking him off. "RJ, I cannot believe you had the nerve to bring her here!"

"You know what, that's my business not yours," RJ said to her. "I'm sorry things didn't work out with me and Lexie but that's between us."

"I don't even know who you are anymore," Saffron said standing up. "I am never, ever going to speak to you again, Ronald Weasley Junior. You are the most selfish, egotistical....and you don't even care that you broke Alexa's heart!"

"Of course I care," RJ replied.

"But, little Sandy, he's with me now." Serena replied. "He wants a big girl."

Saffron nearly leapt across the table at her before Andrew held her back.

"Saffy, don't do this here," Andrew said.

Saffron gave the blonde a murderous glare. "You are nothing but a relationship wrecking, non talent bimbo," she said angrily. "And you'll do well to keep away from me."

Serena giggled. "I'm shaking in my stilettos," she said dismissively. "RJ, let's go. I'm bored."

"Go?" RJ asked. "Serena we just got here..."

"I'm obviously not wanted," Serena said pouting at him.

"Yeah but... everyone in my family is here." RJ explained.

"Oh," Serena said grumpily. "I suppose we can stay for a little while..."

"You can leave," Saffron said. "No one would care if you were gone."

"I've had just about enough of you," Serena said haughtily.

"What are you going to do about it?" Saffron crossed her arms. "You might break a nail... or get a split end."

Serena glared at her. "You and that killjoy friend of yours are so boring. No wonder RJ came looking for me..."

Saffron snarled and made another advance towards the blonde.

"Saffy--" Ethan said holding his sister back. "Let's get you some fresh air..."

"But--" Saffron protested.

Ethan didn't give her a chance as he pulled her forcibly out of the kitchen. Andrew followed, leaving only Maddie, RJ and Serena in the kitchen.

Serena yawned. "Where can I go and freshen up?"

"There's a loo right down the hall there," RJ pointed.

Serena gave him a quick peck on the cheek before walking out of the kitchen.

Maddie forced a smile at her brother. "RJ..."

RJ looked up at his sister. "Are you going to scold me too?"

Maddie shook her head. "No."

"So you like her?" he asked.

"Um," Maddie stammered. "She's um...well, she's very pretty."

"She's not as shallow as Saffron is making her out to be," RJ explained.

Maddie nodded. "So, you and Serena have a lot of deep, meaningful talks?"

"Well we just started dating," RJ replied.

"Are you sure that's such a good idea," Maddie said thoughtfully. "I mean, you and Alexa did just break up. You're on the rebound."

"I know what I'm doing," RJ replied.

Maddie didn't want to alienate her brother. She stepped forward and gave him a hug. "I just want you to be happy, RJ."

"Thanks Mads," he replied.

Maddie mussed his hair. "You need a haircut."

"I like it this way," he said. "What about you?"

"I like the shorter one," Maddie said honestly. "But it's not my hair..."

"I think I'd go mad with your hair," RJ teased.

Maddie smiled. "You could grow it out like Dumbledore..."

"That's quite the style," RJ joked. "A knee length beard as well..."

"You'd look quite fetching," Maddie said nudging him.

Ethan came back into the kitchen. "She's calmed down," he reported.

"She needs a muzzle," RJ muttered.

"RJ come on," Maddie said. "She's upset for Alexa... and you have to admit what you did wasn't exactly sensitive."

"But she acted like a brat to Serena," RJ said defensively.

"Serena wasn't exactly an angel, either." Ethan pointed out.

"She can be a bit much," RJ admitted.

"Well give it some time," Maddie said after a moment.

"Thanks, Maddie," RJ said gratefully. "It's nice to know that I have someone on my side. I wish things were different with Lexie and me, but sometimes these things don't work out..."

"Right," Maddie replied. "And Saffy will come around. You two are too good of friends to let this tear you apart."

Ethan wanted to tell her to hold her breath. She hadn't seen how angry Saffron was when he and Andrew had taken her out back. Saffron was loyal to her friends, and she thought of Alexa like a sister. If she thought her friend had been wronged, she'd hold this over RJ's head for weeks, months, possibly even years.

"Yeah well I'll convince her to stay," RJ was oblivious to what Ethan's silence meant. "I haven't seen everyone in ages."

"Good," Maddie said smiling at him. "You need to be with your family at Christmas. "

"Yeah, yeah..." RJ grinned at her. "You just want to be around a famous Quidditch star."

Maddie put her hand to her forehead and pretended to swoon. "We're all so grateful you graced us with your presence..."

RJ put his arm around Maddie and together they walked into the sitting room with Ethan bringing up the rear.

Outside, Andrew was trying to convince Saffron to come back inside.

"Not if she's in there, Andrew," Saffron said pacing in front of the old picnic table. "I can't stomach the sight of either of them."

"Come on Saf," Andrew replied. "I know it's not easy, but you're not being disloyal to Alexa by being around her. Just be the bigger person here and ignore her."

"It's a little hard to ignore her when she's slinging her hair over her shoulders like she owns the bloody place," Saffron said doing a near perfect imitation of Serena. "And then...and then...did you hear what she told Katie! She's set the woman's movement back about 200 years with that rubbish!"

Andrew had to hide his smile at his girlfriend's tirade. She was probably more on the spot about Serena Starr than anyone in there, but it wasn't their place to show that. "Come on..." he took her hand in his. "Let's go for a little walk and when we go back inside, I'll give you your Christmas gift."

"My present?" Saffron asked stopping in her paces.

"Of course," he replied. "You didn't think I'd forgotten to get you something did you? I'd never live it down."

Saffron finally cracked a smile. "Okay, okay. I'll go back inside and play nice."

"That's my girl," Andrew said. "Come here."

She went willingly into his arms and he gave her a kiss. "But, I'm not talking to either one of them."

"You don't have to," he said, holding her close. "Besides, we're leaving in a few hours to go to my folks' house."

"Right," Saffron said with a grin. "Come on, Andy."

"Ugh," he made a face. "I never liked that nickname."

"I promise I won't call you that again," Saffron promised. She took his hand. "We don't need to go for a walk. We can go inside and you can give me my present."

"Because that's what's most important today," he teased as he kissed her again.

"Priorities," Saffron said grinning at him. "It's all about priorities."

"I've got one priority right now," Andrew leaned in. "And it's to show you how much I love you before we go back in there."

"Oh yeah?" Saffron asked.

"Uh huh," Andrew gave her another kiss, this time making it quite passionate.

By the time they did make it back inside, Saffron had forgotten about her anger toward RJ and Serena. She was feeling quite light hearted and happy as she and Andrew took their seats beside Ashley. The younger children were already opening their presents.

"Where did you go?" Ashley asked, blushing as Andrew grinned at her.

"Fresh air," Andrew said pulling on one of Ashley's plaits.

"Oh," Ashley giggled. "Aunt Saffy thanks for those new paints."

"You're very welcome," Saffron said smiling at her. "I bought them at that shop in Hogsmeade. They change colour, you know..."

"I know," Ashley said. "I can't wait to use them. I'll paint you a really cool picture."

"Thanks, Ash," Saffron said laughing as she saw Emma trying to help Casey open a package.

"Like this," Emma told her cousin. "Don't ruin the present!"

Casey just stared at Emma and then picked up the wrapping paper, much more interested in that than she was the present.

"Da?" Casey asked holding it up to Josh.

"That's just the paper, Case." Josh laughed. "Look at what Nana and Grandpa got you."

"Oooooh!" Emma squealed. "Blocks! Em's favourite!"

"Em, those are for Casey," Jon reminded her. "You have your own blocks at home."

Emma reluctantly placed the box in front of her cousin.

"Em can show her how to build a really tall tower and knock it down," Caroline said.

"Em is good with blocks," the redhead told her little cousin, who simply stared back at her.

"So was Saffron," Hermione remembered. "She used to love building those tall towers and would laugh when she'd knock then down."

"I used to have to keep them up with magic, she'd build them so tall," Harry agreed.

RJ chuckled. "Saf, do you remember that time you and I tried to stay up to catch Santa Claus?"

Saffron again ignored him and reached under the tree. "Here's my present for you Andrew."

RJ sighed and leaned back in his chair.

"Oh," Andrew said smiling at her. "Thanks, Saf..."

"I hope you like it," she said softly.

"I'm sure I will," Andrew said tearing into the package.

He lifted out a gold plated watch. "Saf!" he exclaimed.

Saffron smiled at him. "You like?"

"This is fantastic," Andrew told her. "You shouldn't have spent this much."

"I wanted to," Saffron said leaning against him.

"Thank you," he gave her a quick kiss.

"I love you," Saffron whispered.

"Love you," he touched his forehead to hers for a moment.

"Here," Ashley said interrupting them. "Aunt Saffron, I think this is yours from Andrew."

"Thanks Ash," Saffron turned a bit red at being caught.

Ashley blushed too as she realised what she'd interrupted.

Andrew grinned. "I really, really hope you like it. I was at a loss as to what to get you."

"I'm not that hard to buy for," she said with a grin.

"Yes you are," Andrew said as he watching her unwrap the present.

"Oooooh Andrew!" Saffron's eyes opened wide.

"You got her an old book?" Katie asked scrunching up her nose.

"Not just any old book," Saffron said touching the lettering on the cover. "This is a first edition of one of my favourites---To Kill a Mockingbird."

Andrew grinned. "Did I do good?"

Saffron gave him a hug. "You did wonderful! Wherever did you get it?"

"Will knew someone who specialises in rare books," Andrew explained. "And he came through."

"I'll say he did," Hermione took it. "This is a very rare find."

"Isn't it wonderful, Mum?" Saffron asked. There were tears in her eyes. "This was one of Grandpa's favourites, too."

"He used to read it all the time," Hermione smiled at her daughter.

Saffron wiped at her eyes. "You would have scored points with him, too on this book, Andrew."

"I'm glad," Andrew slid his arm around her.

"Me too," Saffron said resting her head on his shoulder.

"I don't know how mine will compare," Jon said reaching under the tree and pulling out an envelope. "But this is for you, Al."

"Thank you," Allison slit it open. "A full day at that spa in Diagon Alley?"

Jon nodded. "You deserve a day of pampering after putting up with me..."

"Thank you," Allison gave him a kiss.

"What did Daddy give you, Mum?" Julie asked.

"These beautiful earrings," Hermione showed them. "It's got each of your birthstones in them."

"Good one, Dad," Ethan said. "You know I was thinking that she may have given you that old chair of yours..."

"What old chair?" Harry asked in his most innocent tone.

"Oh that old chair that Dad said he got rid of but he actually did some sort of spell on it so it was always in the house?" Saffron asked.

"Excuse me?" Hermione asked.

"I don't know what you're talking about," Harry said hastily. "You know there's no old furniture in the house."

"Not now," Saffron said not seeing what the big deal is. "But you had it in the old cottage and I heard you and Grandpa talking about it once. How you got one over on Mum..."

Hermione levelled a glare at her husband.

"Hey Saf, I think that was a secret," Andrew nudged her.

"Oh," Saffron said sheepishly. "I'm sorry, Daddy."

Harry grunted. "Doesn't matter now."

"This explains that smug look you'd get every time I brought up that old natty chair," Hermione said shaking her head.

"Finally busted, eh Dad?" Ethan asked.

"It has been over 20 years," Harry admitted. He looked at his wife. "You're not mad, are you?"

"I suppose not," Hermione replied.

"You did have a hand in decorating every inch of the place," Harry pointed out. "And I just wanted to have one thing..."

"I guess," Hermione leaned over and gave him a kiss. "And it was a very comfortable chair..."

Ron guffawed. "I bet you had se--"

Luna chose that moment to stuff a biscuit in her husband's mouth. "Not in front of the children."

Ron nodded and sank back into his chair. "Katie," Julie said handing her daughter a box. "This is from Daddy and me."

"Thanks Mummy," Katie said, eagerly ripping the paper off.

Julie hoped Katie would like it. Even though Katie was still struggling with her dyslexia, she had come a far way and she and Nick were eager to show her they were proud of her.

"It's a big book," Katie tried to hide her disappointment. She had been hoping for something like more dress up clothes or makeup.

Julie took the book from her. "It's fairy tales, sweetheart. It has all these stories about princesses and things like that."

She brightened back up a little. "Princesses?"

"Yes," Julie said opening the book to a picture of Cinderella. "See?"

"Where's Tinkerbell?" Katie asked.

"Peter Pan," Julie said thumbing through the book until she found the story. "Here you go..."

"Do you like your book Katie?" Nick asked his daughter.

Katie smiled. "Yes, Daddy. Thank you."

Caroline pointed excitedly at the pictures in the book. "Katie that is soooo cool! Tink is really flying!"

"She is," Katie said in delight. "Cool!"

Julie leaned against Nick as they watched Caroline and Katie oooh and ahh over the pictures in the book.

"For my gorgeous wife," Nick handed her a slender box.

"Nick!" Julie exclaimed.

"Open it," he urged her with a grin.

"You don't have to tell me twice," Julie said eagerly tearing into the box.

"Mummy that's a pretty nightgown," Ashley said. "Where's the rest of it?"

Julie giggled. "This is it, baby."

"That's it?" Ashley asked. "It's so small though."

Julie blushed. "Um, well, it's supposed to be like that."

"And I cannot wait to see you in it," Nick murmured.

"Tonight," Julie whispered.

"Soon as we get home," he teased, giving her a kiss.

Serena had fallen asleep watching the others open presents. If she wasn't getting anything, she wasn't very excited about it. RJ sighed and wondered what Alexa was doing at that moment.

"Uncle RJ," Emma came over. "Come see Adam..."

RJ smiled at his niece. "Sure, Em."

"Em take good care of Adam," she told him.

RJ picked her up. "I heard that you were being a good big sister."

Emma hugged her godfather. "Why RJ no like Lexie anymore?"

"I still like Lexie," RJ said patting her back. "We just aren't boyfriend and girlfriend anymore, Em."

"But why?" she poked her bottom lip out. "Em loves her."

"It's hard to explain," RJ said. "And she still loves you, Em. That's not going to change."

Emma was quiet for a few seconds. "Han is Em's cousin now," she perked back up.

"I know," RJ said tweaking her nose. "And I bet that you're just as good a cousin as you are a big sister."

Emma nodded solemnly. "Em is Han and Adam's bestest friend."

RJ set her down beside Adam's portable crib. He suddenly felt horrible that he'd only seen his nephew once before. "Hey little guy," RJ said peering over at him.

Adam stared up at him and puckered his lips together.

"Adam, this Uncle RJ," Emma said proudly. "He's nice and tells good stories!"

RJ smiled at his niece. "Thanks for that intro Em."

"Welcome," Emma said smiling back at him.

RJ gently picked Adam up. "How about you let me hold you for a little while?"

"He likes that," Emma said happily.

"Nice to know I can still do a few things right," RJ said, sitting back down with Adam.

Emma sat down beside them and watched her uncle as he held Adam. Saffron had to begrudgingly admit that no matter what he had done, he was a good uncle to his nieces and nephews. Emma clearly adored him.

"Isn't he a cute bugger?" Jon asked him proudly.

RJ chuckled. "He must get that from Allie."

"Those blue eyes are all Weasley, Junior." Jon returned.

RJ couldn't help but think that if things had gone differently, he and Alexa would be preparing to have one of these in a few months time.

Jon nodded in Serena's direction. "She all right?"

"Yeah," RJ said without looking up. "She um...had a bit of a late night last night."

"With you?" Jon raised an eyebrow.

"We're just having fun, Jon," RJ said quietly.

"I wasn't going to say anything," Jon replied, making a face at Adam who closed his eyes and grinned toothlessly. "If you're happy then that's all we want for you."

"Thanks," RJ said grinning at his brother. "You, Maddie and Andrew are only the ones."

"We all want you to be happy," Jon said pointedly. "But just be careful RJ."

"I will," RJ promised.

"Time for my little guy to eat," Allison came over. "I know he's irresistible but you've got to hand him over."

"Time to go to Mummy," RJ said gingerly handing Adam to her.

"Good job," Emma told him.

RJ tugged on one of her curls. "Thanks, Em."

Emma gave him a hug then ran off to join Caroline.

Maddie wondered how Hannah, Frankie and Will were doing on their first Christmas as a family.

And as a matter of fact, it was going very well. Frankie and Will had stayed up until nearly four in the morning making sure all the presents were there and ready. They knew they'd gone overboard, but it was their first Christmas together.

Frankie covered her mouth so no one could see her yawn.

"Stop," Will told her. "That's contagious."

"We'll get a kip later, but right now, I think we should go and wake her up," Frankie said.

"Right," Will replied. "I'll go make us some coffee."

Frankie gave him a kiss. "I'll be right back with Hannah."

"Sounds good," he smiled at her before heading into the kitchen.

Frankie felt a second wind coming on as she took the steps two at a time. She opened up Hannah's bedroom door and smiled when she saw her daughter sleeping peacefully underneath her purple duvet.

"Hannah," she whispered, touching her shoulder. "Sweetheart it's time to get up."

Hannah's eyes blinked open. "Hi, Mummy."

"Hi baby," Frankie smiled. "Happy Christmas."

Hannah rubbed at her eyes. "Christmas?"

Frankie nodded. "Santa must have known what a good girl you were this year because he filled the sitting room with presents."

Hannah was suddenly very awake. "Really?"

"Come on down and see," Frankie grinned.

Hannah pulled back the covers and slid on the purple slippers Frankie had given her. She gave Frankie a hug. "I love you, Mummy."

"I love you too," Frankie held her tightly. "So, so much..."

"Is Daddy awake?" Hannah asked.

"He's downstairs already," Frankie told her. "I bet he makes you some of his special hot chocolate."

Hannah giggled. "I can't wait!'

Frankie picked her up and told her to close her eyes. "No peeking."

"Okay," Hannah closed her eyes obediently.

Frankie carried her downstairs and winked at Will who had just set the tray of coffee and hot chocolate down on the coffee table. "Okay, Hannah...on the count of three...open your eyes. One...two...three!"

"WOW!" Hannah said in amazement as she took in the room. "This is for me?"

"All for you," Will said grinning at her. "Santa even ate those biscuits you left out for him."

Hannah giggled. "He left lots of crumbs."

"Santa's not the neatest eater, is he?" Frankie asked.

Hannah shook her head wordlessly, still in awe.

"You don't know where to start, do you sweetheart?" Will asked.

"No," Hannah confessed. "I'm sorry."

"No need to apologise," Will said taking her hand. "How about this big one here?" Hannah looked at the awkwardly wrapped package that was nearly as big as she was. She pulled off the paper and saw a bright, red tricycle.

"For me?" she asked, her eyes wide. "Really for me?"

"For you," Will said. "Do you like it?'

Speechless, Hannah nodded.

"Want to know what's really cool?" Frankie asked. "As you get bigger, so will this. And when you're old enough we can turn it into a regular bicycle for you to ride."

Hannah sat down on it and wrapped her hands around the handlebars. "Em has one of these!"

"You can ride it together when the weather gets nicer," Will said.

Hannah smiled. "This is so cool!"

Frankie laughed. "We're glad you like it sweetheart."

"You can't just sit there, Miss Hannah," Will said motioning to the other packages. "You have a lot of unwrapping to do."

"There's so much," Hannah sat down next to the sofa.

"Well, I told you Santa knew what a good girl you were," Frankie said sitting down beside her.

"I didn't know I was this good," Hannah said as Frankie selected another gift and put it in her lap.

Will grinned. "Well, I was up and about last night and I ran into Santa and he couldn't stop talking about what a wonderful sweet girl Hannah Barron was."

"You got to see him?" Hannah asked. "Wow!"

"And he said that out of all the houses he'd been too, we had the best biscuits," Will said.

"I think it's because he knew you made them," Frankie added.

Hannah beamed at her. "I'm glad we made peanut butter because I bet he was tired of getting gingersnaps and chocolate chip."

"I'm sure you're right," Frankie replied. "Now open up- like your daddy said, you've got lots of unwrapping to do!"

Hannah nodded and opened the present on her lap. Inside was a Belle doll. "This was on my list!" Hannah exclaimed holding it up.

"Santa knew," Will winked at his wife. "Looks just like you, love."

Hannah hugged the box to her.

During the next hour, Hannah worked her way through the mountain of gifts that Santa had left for her.

In addition to her doll and tricycle, she received more new clothes and toys and a few books.

Will was admiring the new picture Hannah had drawn for him of herself and Frankie. "I can't wait to show this to everyone at my office," he said.

"You really, really like it?" Hannah asked.

"I don't just like it," Will said. "I love it."

Hannah beamed at him and climbed into his lap. "Should we give Mummy her present now?"

"I think we should," Will nodded.

"What are you two whispering about?" Frankie asked.

"Go ahead Hannah," Will nudged her.

Hannah walked over to the tree and picked up the package Will had helped her wrap. "This is for you, Mummy."

"Thank you," Frankie smiled at her and carefully unwrapped the box.

Hannah stood in front of Will as she watched Frankie unwrap the present. She and Will had found the perfect glass charm bracelet for her and they'd picked out a bunch of charms that they knew Frankie would love.

"This is beautiful," Frankie lifted it up. "Hannah did you pick this out?"

"Daddy and me," Hannah said smiling at her. "Do you like it?"

"I do," Frankie replied. "I absolutely love it. I'm going to wear it today."

Hannah walked over to her and pointed at the charms. "That's a pair of those heel shoes you like so much...

Frankie laughed. "The ones I always wear?

Hannah giggled too. "Yeah."

"Hannah picked out all the charms," Will told his wife.

Hannah blushed. "And there's a wand..."

"These are perfect," Frankie said, already hooking them on. "Totally perfect!"

"And the H is for Hannah and the W for Will," Hannah explained.

"I'm putting those right next to each other," Frankie said. "So I can look at them and think about you both all the time."

Hannah sank into the sofa beside Frankie and Will sat down on her other side. "Unwrapping presents is tiring!"

"Have some hot chocolate," Will handed his daughter the mug. "It'll perk you back up."

"With marshamallows!" Hannah giggled taking the mug.

"Extra marshmallows," Will grinned at her. "It's my special recipe."

"Thanks," Hannah said happily.

"One of these days I'll teach it to you," Will sat back with his coffee.

"Soon?" Hannah asked. She loved learning new things.

"Promise," Will answered.

Hannah sipped her hot chocolate and got some marshmallow on her upper lip. She gave Frankie a sleepy smile.

"You happy?" Frankie asked, tucking a long brown lock of hair behind Hannah's ear.

Hannah nodded. "Yes, Mummy. Thank you."

"You're very, very welcome," Frankie said. "This has been the best Christmas I ever had, and it's because you're here with us Hannah."

Hannah set her mug down and then cuddled in close to Frankie. "This is my best Christmas, too."

Frankie closed her eyes and kissed the top of her daughter's head.

Hannah closed her eyes too and put her arm around Frankie. "Happy Christmas..."

Week 7: Ethan and Maddie

Heaven: I think we made more food for Maddie than we did for Ron. But she'd probably show up anyway. It's Emma we'll have to make sure we have chocolate for.

Amynoelle: I can't wait to interview her and Caroline next week. We'll have to ask Emma about that Sims picture...

Heaven: And why she loves dog food? I thought it was pretty funny.

Amynoelle: Too cute. Oh, look. Here they are. Hi, Ethan and Maddie!

Maddie: Whoa, look at all this food!

Heaven: Hey you guys! Help yourself! And we made some fish and chips for Blue as well.

Maddie: That's very sweet of you both! We'll bring that home to him. He'll be so happy.

Heaven: You mean you didn't bring him with you? Awww!

Ethan: You two would have been more interested in him than the two of us.

Heaven: That is so not true.

Ethan: *loads his plate with food while Maddie just sits down* Uh-huh.

Amynoelle: *whispers to Heaven* What do you want to bet Maddie just eats off of his plate?

Heaven: I'd bet the same as you. At least we'd both win.

Maddie*sneaks a brownie from Ethan's plate*: This looks yummy.

Heaven: You definitely called that one Amy.

Ethan: Mads, they have a whole table of food over there. Why don't you go get yourself something?

Maddie: You have a way of arranging things that makes it look soooo good. I can't help it.

Amynoelle: Well, while the two of you eat from Ethan's plate, do you mind if we get started with the questions?

Ethan: Fine with me.

Heaven: Well... I'll start with the most popular question. tooaddicted2tv, rita skeeta, Francis HHr, ilyse, PotterChick958, Kelci, michy34, TheGreatFox2000, ProngsHoof all want to know, when do you guys plan on having a baby of your own?

Ethan *chokes on his food*

Amynoelle: Are you okay, Ethan?

Maddie: He's okay... wow... that question took us both a little by surprise. We haven't even been married a year yet. We'd like to have kids, but we're not rushing things.

Ethan: And we have Blue who pretty much thinks he is our baby.

Maddie: Ethan, he is our baby.

Heaven: That's so cute. Ethan, Kelci wants to know if you'll give her a hug.

Ethan: Is she here?

Heaven: Well no... but you could promise her one sometime if you should ever meet.

Ethan: Alright, Kelci. If I ever meet you, I promise I will give you a hug.

Amynoelle: You've probably just made her day. But Ethan, this question is for you from Orli Luva. What is it like being the only son of Harry and Hermione Potter?

Ethan: *shrugs* I don't know... to me it's no different than having any other parents. I suppose life's been a bit in the spotlight, but Mum and Dad have always tried to make things as normal as possible for us.

Amynoelle: They certainly have. And now RC wants Maddie to know that you are one of her favourites in the story and that she thinks Emma is very much like you. Her question is how does it feel to be married to someone that you loved for almost your whole life??? How was your relationship with Ethan in Hogwarts??? Did he date a lot of girls???

Maddie: I actually didn't see much of Ethan at school. Even though we were in the same house, he had his own group and I had my own way of doing things. But I love being married. I think part of me let it go, and the other part of me never truly gave up on him.

Ethan: I did look after you though at school to make sure nothing happened to you, Completely Mad Maddie.

Maddie: You did it as a favour to Jon and Josh.

Heaven: petrynronlover has a similar question, only it's for Ethan- when you and Maddie were in school together. did you ever once think about how she wanted to marry you and consider what it would be like to date her?

Ethan: I didn't really. I thought she'd given up that crush on me anyway. We were kids back then. And really, what seven year old wants to have a four year old girl running after him telling him every two seconds that they are gonna get married and have a pixie named Dolly for their baby? But, Maddie was pretty much into her own thing at Hogwarts. And I did look after her because Jon and Josh asked me too.

Heaven: So you never really thought about what it might be like to ask her out?

Ethan: Honestly, I didn't. She was just this girl I knew until that Christmas at the Burrow when I saw her differently for the first time.

Amynoelle: Awww, when you guys had your little twirl in the woods!

Ethan: We spun, not twirled.

Heaven: Spun, twirled, snogged... you did it all out there. Well... almost all. And that makes me think of a question from Orli Luva and then a bit more of a complex one from coolman about how you two waited until you were married to sleep together. How hard was it to wait? And Maddie: We all knew and respected your decision to wait. However there was one night you almost gave in. It was after you'd got drunk. Luckily

Ethan was in a more sober state and saved the day. But he too could have been high and taken your offer. If that had been the case how do you think it would have affected your relationship?

Maddie: Wow, these are some really deep questions. Um, well, I always knew I wanted to wait until I was married before I took that step. But, it was very difficult to wait once Ethan and I became involved and even after we moved in together. It was extremely difficult but I am so glad we waited because it really was worth the wait and our wedding night was extra special because of it.

Ethan: And I would like to think that we both would have eventually put on the brakes that night that Mads got pissed.

Amynoelle: But if you hadn't?

Ethan: I'd like to think things would have still worked out fine between us. I think we would have been disappointed in ourselves for letting things go that far.

Amynoelle: Good answer, Ethan. Michy34 has two questions for you. Ethan, Michy wants to know when did you know Maddie was the one for you? And Maddie, were you happy when you finally won over Ethan.

Maddie: Absolutely! He was the man of my dreams. I was over the moon!

Ethan: I knew she was the only girl for me when I went to Brighton and saw her sitting on the sofa. I hadn't stopped thinking about her since I had left her at the train in January.

Heaven: That is so sweet!

Amynoelle: Very sweet! And now Toinky Doink asks if you'd ever fancied Maddie back when she was claiming that you were going to be her husband, how things would have been different?

Ethan: *laughs* Actually no... I couldn't wait to get away from her. I was only seven years old! What kid wants to hear a young girl going around saying they're going to get married?

Maddie: Looking back now, I was pretty relentless.

Amynoelle: Molly has a good question for you, Ethan. Did you have any trouble adjusting to Saffy before and/or after she was born, like Emma did with Adam?

Ethan: Life has never been the same since little Saffron Grace; the terror came into this world.

Maddie: *Hits him in the arm* : Ethan, answer their question, seriously.

Ethan: All right... no, I didn't have any trouble adjusting. Just like Jules had no troubles with me. I guess the age difference between us all made for no sibling rivalry.

Amynoelle: And you did protect her from the evil monsters!

Maddie: I loved being Princess Cruella...

Heaven: Going back to the family questions, ilyse wants to know if you guys want a large family? And what if one of you wanted a small one if the other didn't?

Maddie: Weasleys are known for having large families, but honestly, Ethan and I haven't really thought about what size of a family we want. Whatever happens, happens.

Heaven: That's a great way of thinking! And here's something that might be a bit on a sour note... but PotterChick958 and RC were both curious about Jared- if he hadn't been found out and Maddie, you still thought he had slept with Bree, how would things be right now?

Ethan: I would like to think that Maddie would have believed that I never could have done something like that to her. And I would also like to think that Jared would have given himself away eventually, but if he hadn't, I would hope that Mads and I would have found some way to work it out. We've been through far too much to let that come between us.

Maddie: *nods* That was a terrible time, really. I hated being angry at Ethan... and part of me really never believed it.

Amynoelle: Speaking of Bree, how is she these days?

Ethan: She's doing great. She's married now, and she and Mason go between here and the US.

Amynoelle: That's great to hear. We liked Bree!

Maddie: She's a really sweet girl and has become a really good friend to me.

Amynoelle: Rainbow star wanted to ask Ethan how hard was your Auror training? And how much did your father influence your decision to be one?

Ethan: Man, I always wanted to do everything my Dad did. If had been a professional Quidditch player, I'd have been one too.

Amynoelle: Don't tell your dad we said this, but he is pretty cool. We don't want him to get an ever bigger head than he already has.

Heaven: ilyse also wants to know if you think, or hope, that you and Maddie will be like your parents- still hot for each other as you get older?

Ethan: *flinches* Okay, I don't like to think of my parents being hot for each other. Who wants to think of their parents like that? But, yeah, I do hope that Mads and I always have passion and love.

Amynoelle: Royal Jade has a good question concerning your occupation, Maddie. How do people react when you tell them what you work with? Is it a natural thing or are they sceptical? And what do you tell Muggles?

Maddie: When it comes to Muggles, and we don't always know they're Muggles... the Ministry has a special force that act like Muggle police. They'll try and intercept what's going on before the person even knows it's going to happen. And some people are sceptical, but for the most part, a lot of people still think I just work in a clerical position. Smythe doesn't want a lot of people knowing exactly what I do.

Amynoelle: I could see why she wouldn't. Natalie has a similar question concerning your visions. You said you had visions when you were younger. Did you have them at school too? And how do you feel about RJ's break up with Alexa?

Maddie: I just had visions every now and then. It wasn't something that happened every day or every week. And I did have little ones here and there while I was at school, but I thought that was mainly because of my interest in Divination. And as to RJ and Alexa,

hate that they're no longer together. They made such a cute couple and we all loved Alexa like she was one of our own. We miss her. And RJ made a mistake, but we're not going to kick him out of the family for it.

Heaven: Who knows, down the road they may reconcile. It's interesting, the paths life takes. Rachelle has one more question concerning your visions, Maddie- I think your clairvoyancy is so cool. And while you use it at work, have you ever taken advantage of it to improve your personal life? Also, how

often do you see these images?

Maddie: I can't really get into specifics because of the nature of my job, but I do have them fairly often now. And no, I never used them to improve my personal life.

Heaven: That's what we love about you, Maddie. You're so unselfish... about everything.

Ethan: It's one of the many things I love about her too.

Maddie *Kisses him* : Thanks, Ethan.

Amynoelle: Lillian Potter has a question about Saffron. What is your relationship like with your sister? She only asked about Saffron, but you could also tell us about your relationship with Julie as well.

Ethan: *laughs* my relationship with Saffron is really something else. One minute you're okay with her and the next minute she's furious with you about something. But she's my baby sister and I'd do anything for her. With Jules... everything's a bit calmer. But it was nice as a kid, because I could turn to her for anything and she'd be there. I mean, take the time when she found out I couldn't swim. Instead of taking the Mickey out of me, she helped me learn.

Amynoelle: Which brought her and Nick together, too. And ears91 asks if you had kids, would that be detrimental to Blue?

Maddie: I don't think so. We'd love him just the same and he'd be crazy about our kids. I just know. He loves it when Allie and Jon bring the kids over or when Josh and Lizzie bring the triplets by. Casey keeps wanting me to let her have Blue.

Ethan: One time I almost let her take him...

Maddie: Ethan! I didn't know that!

Amynoelle: Ethan, Blue is starting to warm toward you though!

Ethan: Oh he likes me well enough. When Mads isn't home sometimes I'll let him out of his cage and I'll be sitting on the sofa and he'll fall asleep on my shoulder.

Amynoelle: Awwwww! Ears91 also wanted to ask Maddie what does she think of her twin sisters' engagements and being an aunt again. And what you think of Frankie & Will's adoption of Hannah. Have you met Hannah yet?

Maddie: We've met Hannah loads of times now! The first time was back at the Puddlemere match during summer hols. And I think it's wonderful that Will and Frankie are so unselfish. That little girl needed a lot of love, and she's getting it now.

As far as my sisters' engagements, I couldn't be happier for them! I'm sure they feel exactly how I did when Ethan proposed.

Ethan: Hans and Brian are good blokes, too.

Heaven: Yes they are, and they love Drew and Darla very much. Maddie, we have another question from Molly, who wants to know what was the hardest part for you when you were in school and other kids teased you?

Maddie: Well, I wouldn't say it didn't hurt me to hear people say things about me, but I wasn't about to change who I was to fit into their ideas of what was normal. I've never tried to be anything but myself. Kids can be really cruel, but luckily for me, I had a thick skin and a great family that looked out for me.

Heaven: You Weasleys sure as thick as thieves.

Maddie: We are that. You mess with one of us, you mess with the whole lot.

Amynoelle: Natalie had another good question for you Ethan. Much has been said about you having a lot of your father's qualities. What do you think your mother passed down to you?

Ethan: Stubbornness... I guess keeping a level head. Determination, although I think both my parents gave all three of us that trait.

Amynoelle: I think we've pretty much asked most of the reader questions. Heaven, do you have anything else you'd like to ask Ethan and Maddie since we have them on the spot?

Heaven: Ethan, be frank with us. What do you think of Andrew?

Ethan: I like him. Hell, I like anyone who can put up with Saffron on a daily basis and live to tell the tale. That takes courage.

Heaven: I'm going to tell her you said that.

Ethan: That's all I need...another howler.

Heaven: Just kidding. I'm really not that mean...

Maddie: That's not what I've heard. Someone said you liked something called a cliffhanger...

Amynoelle: Cliffhangers can be good things! They really have a bad reputation.

Heaven: Totally. They get people to review and they're FUN when you're on the writing end. The reader end, however...

And cliffhangers are much better than monsters in the chest or sunlit days. Hands down.

Amynoelle: Ethan you should have mentioned that monster in your chest when you asked Katie's tutor out when you were in school!

Ethan: What the hell is a monster in the chest? That sounds like really bad literature.

Amynoelle: Ethan, you really, really don't want to know.

Ethan: No, I really don't.

Heaven: Here's a plate for Blue, Maddie. I hope he likes his fish and chips. I also made him that toast he loves.

Maddie: Thanks! He's going to love this!

Heaven: We hope to have you guys back again somewhere down the line. We have loads of stuff planned for you guys!

Amynoelle: And we can't wait to interview your nieces next week.

Maddie: I'll make sure and tell Em what great food you guys had!

Amynoelle: Thanks again you guys! Have a good night!

151. 151 and dont' forget ?'s for Caroline and Emma!

Hey guys, sorry the update’s a bit late, but better late than never eh? Here’s most of Em’s birthday party and next chapter will finish it up and go into the New Year’s celebrations. Hope you enjoy and please review!!

Emma's third birthday had arrived and the little redhead was currently running around her house telling everyone who would stop to listen about her special guests for that day.

She'd asked Saffron if Alexa could come, and even though Alexa was trying to avoid RJ at all costs, she couldn't bring herself to say no to the little girl. Gabriel, since he was in England still, was also going to attend with Seamus and Lavender. Add Hannah to the mix and Emma Weasley was one excited little girl.

"And Gabey got this for Em," she showed Adam her big purple stuffed bear. "At the beach."

Adam stared up at his sister from his bouncy seat.

"Hannah's going to want that," Caroline teased. "Since it's purple..."

"I already give Han toys," Emma reminded her sister.

Caroline plopped down beside Emma. "You're a good cousin, Em."

"Em is this many today, Sissy." she said for about the tenth time as she held up three fingers.

Caroline grinned. "I know, Em. Do you know how many I am now?"

Emma thought for a minute. "This many?" she held up five fingers. "Em can't count any higher!"

Caroline held up all five fingers on her right hand and then two on her left. "Seven, Em."

"Sissy's old," Emma said solemnly.

Allison smiled as she came into the room. Emma knew she was having a party, but she didn't know it was being held at the pub. "Emma, your sister is only four years older than you. That's hardly old. Now, I on the other hand..."

"Mummy you're not old," Caroline said loyally. "You're the prettiest woman in the world."

"Thank you, Angel," Allison said leaning down to give her oldest a kiss. "You two had better finish getting ready..."

"We will," Caroline replied getting to her feet. "Come on, Em."

Emma let go of her stuffed bear and looked around the sitting room. There were no decorations and no balloons like Caroline had for her birthday.

"Mummy?" she asked.

"Yes, Em," Allison said as she lifted Adam out of his seat.

"Em wants balloons," she said. "And a pond like Sissy."

"Well, first we have to go and get some money from Daddy," Allison told her. "He's at work, remember?"

"I can't believe Daddy has to work on Em's birthday," Caroline played along.

Emma frowned and retrieved her bear from the floor, hugging it tightly to her. "No Daddy..."

"Don't worry Em, we'll see Daddy," Allison reassured her.

"Kay," Emma said still hugging her bear tightly to her.

"Let's go get ready," Caroline told her again.

"Thanks, Caroline," Allison said gratefully. "I have to get Adam ready."

"Adam, be good for Mummy," Emma said. "No cry!"

Allison smiled. "Don't worry, Em. I'll take good care of him. You go with Caroline and get ready. I set out your dress on your bed."

"Kay," Emma took her sister's hand.

Back at the pub, Jon was going over last minute preparations with Cho and Luna. Most of the guests were already here and all they were waiting on was the guest of honour.

Alexa was talking to Saffron and Ashley in the corner. RJ had yet to arrive.

"Is Andrew coming today?" Ashley asked her aunt.

"He's going to try," Saffron replied. "He had practise this morning...”

"Oh," Ashley replied. "I really hope he comes."

"Do you now?" Saffron teased her niece.

Ashley blushed. "He's just really nice Aunt Saffy!"

"He is, Ash," Saffron agreed. "And you're welcome to sit with us when the party starts..."

Ashley grinned. "Really?"

"Sure," Alexa smiled at her. "We like having you around Ashley."

Ashley beamed at the two older girls. "Thanks. I like hanging out with you guys."

"It's going to be so cool when you come to Hogwarts next year," Saffron said.

Ashley leaned against the bar. "I'm just really happy that Mummy will be there and that I'll have you two there. I'm really nervous."

"Don't be," Saffron reassured her. "You're going to get in Gryffindor and you'll make loads of friends, and you'll be smart just like me."

"Don't forget modest," Alexa joked.

Saffron laughed. "That too."

"I'm going to get a drink," Ashley said. "Can I get you anything?"

"Soda would be nice," Saffron said to her niece. "Thanks, Ash."

Alexa declined Ashley's offer and the two girls were left alone. "What time is Allison bringing Emma?" she asked.

Saffron looked at her watch. "One...which should be any minute now, but with three kids, she might be a little late. And don't you worry about RJ Weasley. We'll ignore him and act like he's not even here."

Saffron just hoped that he'd have the decency not to bring his slag with him.

Alexa shook her head. "There was just no way I could say no once you told me Emma asked if I was going to be here. But I really hope I don't get cornered by RJ."

"You won't," Saffron promised. She nudged her friend. "Gabe's here with Aunt Lav and Uncle Seamus..."

"Saffy," Alexa looked at her friend. "We just had dinner, it was a friendly thing."

Saffron pulled an innocent face. "I know...I was just letting you know that they'd arrived is all...."

Alexa pushed her hair back over her shoulders as Gabriel came over to say hello.

"Hey," Gabriel said grinning at them. "I take it the birthday girl isn't here yet?"

"If she was, she'd have probably launched herself at you screaming 'Gabey'," Saffron teased. "She can't wait to see you."

"I can't wait to see her either," Gabriel said with a smile. "Hey Lex."

"Hi," Alexa said smiling back at him.

"Here's your soda," Ashley came back and handed her aunt a glass. "Hi Gabriel!"

"Hello Ashley Malfoy," Gabriel said grinning at her.

"Katie was asking about you earlier," Ashley told him.

"About me?" Gabriel asked.

"She wanted to know if you were coming today," Ashley shrugged. "She's over playing a game right now."

"Speaking of games," Gabriel said motioning to the billiards table in the back.

Alexa shook her head. "I can't, Gabe. I'm crap at it."

"You're telling me you forgot everything I taught you last summer?" Gabriel asked.

"I haven't played since last summer," Alexa admitted.

"I'll give you a refresher," Gabriel said. "And I'll go easy on you."

"You promise?" Alexa asked.

"Scout's honour," Gabriel teased.

"Okay," Alexa said standing up and following him over to the table.

Ashley tugged on her aunt's sleeve. "Does he fancy her?" she whispered.

"Big time," Saffron whispered back.

"It's obvious," Ashley giggled.

Saffron put an arm around her niece. "Just keep that between you and me though, okay?"

"I promise," Ashley told her.

Saffron and Ashley watched from the distance as Gabriel gave Alexa a refresher course in billiards. There was a tap on Saffron's shoulder and she turned to see Andrew and RJ standing there.

"Hey you," Andrew said giving her a kiss.

"Hey," Saffron hugged her boyfriend. "We were hoping you'd make it Andrew."

"I wouldn't miss Emma Weasley's third birthday," Andrew said grinning at her. "Hey, Ashley."

"Hi," Ashley blushed.

RJ looked at Saffron. "Hiya."

Saffron ignored him but was pleased to see that Serena was nowhere in sight.

"I think I'm going to get a drink---" RJ started to say, but froze when he spotted his ex-girlfriend leaning over the billiards table. A surge of anger flowed through him as he saw Gabriel Boyd-Finnigan with his arms around Alexa's waist.

"Something the matter?" Saffron asked sweetly.

RJ narrowed his eyes at her. "Of course not," he shot back.

Alexa and Gabriel were oblivious to the new arrivals. Alexa laughed as she tried to position her fingers as Gabriel instructed.

"Quit sliding your fingers," Gabriel said laughing too.

"I can't help it!" she giggled. "I do it without even realising it!"

Gabriel laughed and let go of her. "Okay, you're on your own, Lexie. Just remember how I showed you."

"Okay," Alexa concentrated hard.

RJ watched as Alexa sank her shot. And then felt his jaw tighten as Alexa threw her arms around Gabriel. "I can't believe I did it!" she exclaimed.

"Good job Lex," he congratulated her with a huge grin.

"Maybe I'm not as bad as I thought I was," Alexa said. She hadn't this much fun in quite some time and it felt good to just relax and be in the moment.

"Nah, you're a natural," he told her.

"You're just being nice," Alexa said smiling at him.

"Maybe just a little," he teased.

Alexa shook her head and over Gabriel's shoulder she saw RJ glowering at the two of them.

RJ made a move toward them, but Andrew tried to hold him back. "Just leave it..."

RJ shrugged him off and walked over to Alexa. "Lexie."

"RJ," she said, her earlier smile gone.

"You're still up, Lexie," Gabriel said handing her back her cue.

"Why don't you give us a minute?" RJ asked glaring at him.

"I'm in the middle of something," Alexa told him coolly.

"You heard the lady," Gabriel said pushing past RJ.

"Get the hell out of my way, Boyd," RJ snapped. "Why are you here anyway?"

Alexa moved between them. "Emma wanted him here, RJ. Please don't do this here."

RJ stared at her wordlessly.

"Gabe, can you give us a minute?" Alexa asked.

"Sure," Gabriel looked as if he wanted to do anything but that.

RJ smirked at Gabriel as he walked away.

"What do you want?" Alexa asked, folding her arms.

"How was your Christmas?" RJ asked her.

"Fine," Alexa said.

RJ nodded and looked down at his feet. He knew that she had every reason to never talk to him again, but it was really great to see her again. "You look good, Lexie."

"Thank you," she looked away. "What is it you want, RJ?"

"I just wanted to talk to you," RJ said quietly.

"About what?" she asked impatiently. "RJ... this isn't easy for me all right?"

"I know," he said. "It's not easy for me either. I miss you."

She missed him as well but didn't want to admit it.

RJ reached for her hand. He was emboldened by the fact that she didn't pull away. "You know what I was thinking about last night? Do you remember that time I first kissed you?"

"Of course I remember," she said quietly.

"That flying lesson," RJ said smiling down at her. "We stayed out there for hours..."

"RJ stop," Alexa pulled away from him. "Why are you doing this to me? You're with Serena now- let me move on as well."

"Is that what you want?" RJ asked pulling her back to him. Before she knew what he was doing, he'd kissed her.

Alexa let herself get lost in his kiss for a moment before she remembered herself and shoved him away. "RJ!"

"Lexie---"

"Just stay away from me RJ," she said. "Please just don't come near me anymore."

RJ watched helplessly as Alexa walked away.

"What a wanker," Saffron said furiously, her green eyes dark as she glared at RJ.

"Saffy," Andrew said quietly. "Not now."

"I'm not going to say anything to him," Saffron snapped.

Thankfully, Allison had called ahead and told Jon that she was almost at the pub. "Everyone hide!" Jon called out to his family and friends. "Em's nearly here."

Andrew took his girlfriend by the hand. "Come on, we'll hide over here." he purposefully took her in a different direction than where RJ was headed.

Just outside the pub, Allison pushed Adam's pram as Caroline and Emma walked hand in hand beside her.

"Em can't wait to see Daddy," the redhead said happily. "To get money for Em's balloons!"

Caroline shared a look with her mother.

"How about you go in first, Em?" Allison told her.

"Kay," Emma climbed up the steps. "Daddy!" she called out. "Em's here for balloons!"

Caroline helped her sister with the door. "Go on inside, Emma."

Emma felt a little nervous as the pub was really dark, but the moment she stepped inside the lights turned on and everyone in her family yelled "SURPRISE!"

Emma screamed and started to giggle as everyone came forward. "DADDY!"

Jon scooped her up. "Happy Birthday, Emma Madeline!"

"You surprise Em," she giggled.

Jon gave her a hug. "That was the point, sweetheart."

"There's balloons for Em!" she squealed.

Allison smiled at her daughter. "We couldn't have a party without balloons."

"Gabey!" Emma squealed when she saw him standing with Seamus.

"Hey Em," Gabriel held his arms open. "I wouldn't have missed today for anything! My favourite little Em turns three!"

Emma ran toward him and giggled as he picked her up. She saw her uncle glaring at them and she waved. "RJ! Gabey's here!"

"Yeah," RJ forced a smile on his face. "Always great to have Gabey here."

Gabriel decided to let that one pass since there were children here.

Emma hugged him around the neck. "Gabey come meet Han," she said. "New cousin!"

"Not the famous Hannah," Gabriel said carrying her over to the little girl who was standing between Will and Frankie.

"Han!" she said. "Here's Gabey!"

Hannah looked shyly at him. "Hi."

"It's nice to meet you Hannah," Gabriel said, putting his hand out.

Hannah shook his hand. "Nice to meet you, too."

"You're looking well, Gabe." Will also shook his hand. "It's good to see you again."

"It's good to be back, Mr. Barron," Gabriel said politely.

"Are you sticking around for a Quidditch match?" Frankie asked. "I know you liked it last time you were here."

"I'm going with Saffron to watch Andrew play," Gabriel replied.

Frankie nodded. "If you feel like coming to a Puddlemere match, let me know. I'll make sure you have a great seat."

"Thanks," Gabriel said, not mentioning the fact that he didn't really want to see RJ Weasley play. "That's really nice of you, Mrs. Barron."

Frankie smiled at him. "I'm going to take Hannah to get something to drink," she smoothed back her daughter's hair.

"Want to come, Emma?" Hannah asked her cousin.

"Kay," Emma said as Gabriel set her down.

Gabriel promised he'd catch up with Emma later and he went to find his father.

"I'm sorry about before," Alexa said coming up behind him.

"It's okay," he turned around.

"Apparently he thinks its okay for him to shag whomever he wants, but I can't even talk to another boy," Alexa said quietly.

"I'm sorry Lexie," he said. "But we weren't doing anything wrong. You're allowed to have fun without him."

"You don't have to apologise," Alexa said. "And we were having fun, weren't we?"

"You were kicking my ass," Gabriel grinned at her.

"Something tells me you were letting me win," Alexa said laughing.

"Was not," Gabriel lied.

"Right," Alexa said taking his hand. "Let's go and finish up our game."

"Sure, he smiled at her. "Hopefully it'll all still be sitting there."

RJ watched them as they went back over to the table. "Jon, can you get me a beer?"

"No can do," Jon replied. "And certainly not at a children's party. You know that."

"Come on, we're at a pub," RJ complained.

"All the beer in the world isn't going to change that RJ," Jon told his brother. "Come on, you screwed up and you know it. She's right you should let her move on."

"I asked for a beer, not advice," RJ said sharply.

"And I said no," Jon said before walking away.

"Wanker," RJ muttered.

Luna had noticed her younger son's surly expression and she walked over to check on him. She'd seen Alexa playing billiards with Gabriel and figured that had something to do with RJ's mood.

"I can't believe Emma is three," Luna said sitting down beside him.

"What?" RJ asked absently.

"Your niece and goddaughter," Luna said putting her hand on his arm. "Emma Madeline Weasley."

"Oh yeah," RJ replied. "I can't believe it either."

"Is everything okay?" Luna asked gently.

"Other than the fact that you all hate Serena?" RJ asked his mother. "No, what could possibly be wrong?"

Luna was taken aback. "RJ, we don't hate Serena. We hardly know her."

"I've just got a lot on my mind," RJ said sullenly.

"Would it help to talk about it?" Luna asked.

"I don't know," RJ sighed. "I mean, being with Serena is fun. It's not like things were with Lex... but then I see her and I miss her and I don't even know what I want anymore."

Luna nodded knowingly. "And I'm sure having her here today isn't very easy."

He shrugged. "Did you and Dad bring all the kids today?" he asked.

"Jenny, Zach and Joey," Luna replied. "Caitlin was placed in a permanent home a couple days back."

RJ smiled at his mother. "I bet you miss her."

Luna nodded. "She was such a sweet baby, RJ. But, Mrs. Roman placed her with a great family in Surrey."

"Hannah seems to be doing well with Will and Frankie," RJ gazed at the little girl. "Frankie's got pictures of her all over her office already."

"I know," Luna said with a smile. "It's amazing how much a child can change your life."

RJ again thought about Alexa's pregnancy scare. "You can say that again..."

"It seems like just yesterday, we were celebrating your third birthday," Luna said fondly. "And Saffy was just a baby then..."

"She's still a baby now," RJ muttered under his breath.

Luna caught that and sighed. "With time, she'll come around, RJ. Alexa's her friend and I'm sure that---"

"I doubt it," RJ interrupted. "You didn't hear her on Christmas, Mum. And it's to the point where I don't even care anymore."

"We're not all against you, RJ," Luna said softly. "And if you're happy with Serena, that's good enough for me. And if you'd like to bring her by for dinner some night..."

"Really?" RJ asked. "You wouldn't mind?"

Luna smiled at him. "It gives me an excuse to see my baby."

"Mum I'm so far from being a baby," RJ groaned.

"You'll always be my baby," Luna said giving him a hug. "No matter where you go or who you date."

RJ hugged her back. "Serena's really not so bad when you get to know her. You just sort of have to take her as she is."

"I look forward to getting to know her better," Luna said honestly. "Everything will sort itself out, RJ."

"I hope so," RJ looked over at the billiards table again.

"Are you sure you're not using magic?" Gabriel asked as Alexa sank another shot.

"I can't use it outside of school yet," she said. "Not until I'm seventeen."

Gabriel looked disbelieving at her. "And you swear you haven't played since this summer?"

Alexa shook her head. "I haven't been anywhere near a billiards table."

"O'Leary you're such a liar," Gabriel said leaning against the wall as he watched her sink yet another shot.

"Say what you want," Alexa grinned at him. "I just happened to bring what was it... my A game?"

Gabriel grinned back at her. "I'd say you did."

"Gabey," Emma had come over. "And Lexie!"

"Hey, Em!" Gabriel exclaimed picking her up. "You need to give me a hug because Lexie is wiping the floor with me at this game."

Emma giggled and threw her arms around his neck.

"Watch this, Em," Alexa said with a wink.

"Kay," Emma said, still holding onto Gabriel.

Alexa made another amazing shot which caused Gabriel's jaw to drop.

"Lexie good!'" Emma said clapping her hands together.

"Lexie's very good," Gabriel said. "In fact, I still think Lexie is lying about how often she plays this."

Alexa laughed. "I swear! You can ask Saffy."

"She's your best friend, she'd lie for you." Gabriel teased.

Andrew and Saffron joined them. "I wouldn't lie for Lexie."

"Andrew, come on," Gabriel said looking at the other boy. "Alexa 'The Hustler' O'Leary is trying to tell me that she's not played since I showed her how this summer. And she keeps telling me this while she's cleaning my clock..."

"That's because she's good at everything she does," Saffron said loyally. "And she never forgets a thing."

"As far as I know, there isn't a billiards table at Hogwarts," Andrew said putting his arm around Saffron. "Though with these two, you never know...they could have put one in the Room of Requirement."

"Saf," Emma slid down from Gabriel's arms. "Saf want to eat?"

"Of course," Saffron said taking Emma's hand. "Let's go get a plate, Em. Saf is starving."

"Em always wants to eat," Andrew teased.

"Tough tummy," Emma said rubbing her stomach.

"Just like her grandpa," Saffron joked.

Emma beamed up at her. "Em loves Saf."

"I love you too Em," Saffron picked her up. "And you are the prettiest three year old I know."

Emma gave Saffron a hug and then pointed to the refreshment table. "Eat!"

"All right," Saffron grinned. "Let's go eat- before your grandpa gets over there!"

Andrew watched them go then turned back to Gabriel and Alexa. "How're you doing Lexie?" he asked.

Alexa smiled at him. "I'm doing okay."

"I'm sorry I haven't talked to you since RJ... um..." Andrew stumbled over his words.

"It's okay," Alexa reassured him. "Really, Andrew. I know this hasn't been easy for you and Saffy---you're both in the middle...well, you more than Saffy, but still..."

"Yeah well I just want us to stay friends as well," Andrew told her.

"Me too," Alexa said smiling at him. She saw RJ watching them. "Is he doing okay?"

Andrew nodded. "He's been busy."

"I saw the latest Witch Weekly," Alexa said referring to the cover story that had declared Serena Starr and RJ Weasley the new "It" couple.

"Yeah," Andrew rolled his eyes. "She's been around constantly. A real pain, if you ask me."

What Alexa couldn't understand was why if RJ was with Serena, why he would want to act as he did today. Why had he kissed her? Was it because he didn't want to see her with someone else? Try as she might, she couldn't work up too much sympathy for him after she'd walked in on him that morning after he'd slept with Serena.

"In any case, you were much better for him," Andrew was saying. "And it's his loss for giving you up. I just hope you're happy Lex."

"Thanks, Andrew," Alexa said. "I'm getting there."

"You deserve a nice guy," Andrew gave her a hug.

Alexa laughed. "Maybe there's one out there for me."

"I'm sure there is," Andrew grinned at her. "Want something to drink?"

"No, thanks," Alexa said motioning over her shoulder. "I need to get back to kicking his arse."

"Great," Gabriel joked. "Just when I thought I might get ahead for a change."

"I'll leave you to it," Andrew said. "Good luck, Gabe." And with that, Andrew walked back over to the bar.

"What were you talking about over there?" RJ cornered him.

"Just chatting is all," Andrew said pouring himself a glass of soda.

"What did she say?" RJ asked.

"I just asked her how she was doing and she said she was doing okay," Andrew replied.

"Oh," RJ deflated a bit.

"You still love her," Andrew said matter-of-factly.

"Shut up," RJ grumbled.

"Fine," Andrew said setting his glass down. "How about I don't bring her name up ever again when you're around?"

"Works for me," RJ replied angrily. "You know, I think most of the time, you're on her side."

Andrew sighed. "This isn't a matter of whose side I'm on, RJ. Come on, I'm your best mate."

"Then act like it," RJ snapped before stomping off.

Alexa had watched this little exchange and even though she knew that she shouldn't, she set her cue down and followed her ex-boyfriend out of the pub.

"RJ," she called out to him.

"What now?" he turned around angrily.

"Hey," she said quietly.

"What?" he asked warily.

"I just---wanted to know if you were okay," Alexa said softly.

"I'm fine," he answered. "Just fine..."

Alexa nodded. "I probably shouldn't have come, but Emma asked and I couldn't tell her no."

RJ cracked a tiny smile. "You can't say no to her."

"Tell me about it," Alexa said smiling a little as well. "She's relentless."

"Yeah," RJ gazed back at the pub.

"Don't go," Alexa said instinctively reaching out to him. "Emma would be so hurt if you left."

"Why bother staying?" he asked. "No one understands me in there."

"Your family's in there," Alexa said. "Don't shut them out, RJ. They love you."

"It's hard seeing you all over Boyd," he said directly.

"All over Boyd?" Alexa asked. "I'm not---we were just playing a game, RJ."

"I just--" he began.

"Why are you getting jealous?" she asked. "RJ... us breaking up was your idea."

"I don't like seeing you with him, okay?" RJ replied uncomfortably.

"No it's not okay," Alexa crossed her arms. "I'm not your girlfriend anymore. I can talk to any guy I please. You have Serena so you shouldn't worry about me."

"So you can just turn off your feelings for me like that?" RJ asked her.

"God, RJ," Alexa looked exasperated. "I haven't turned my feelings off! How do you think I felt walking in and seeing Serena Starr in your clothes after you shagged her? That doesn't even begin to compare with me playing billiards with Gabe!"

RJ chose to ignore his own culpability in this. "He's been after you from the start. And he certainly hasn't wasted any time moving in, has he?"

"You are so bloody suspicious," Alexa shook her head. "We're friends, RJ. That's all."

"And what about us?" RJ asked her. "Hmm? What are we?"

"We're not together," Alexa said softly. "And I really wish you'd stop acting like we are."

He wanted to tell her that he had made a mistake and that if he could do anything to change it, he would. But, he was proud and she was acting all superior. And despite what Andrew had said, it did seem like everyone was against him. "I guess I'll go then."

"You shouldn't leave like this RJ," Alexa said. "You at least owe your niece a goodbye."

RJ nodded. 'Okay..."

Alexa followed her ex boyfriend back inside. Saffron made a beeline for her. "What did he want?"

"I have no idea," Alexa whispered watching as RJ approached Emma and Caroline.

"Uncle RJ, we were looking for you," Caroline said giving him a hug.

"Sorry you guys," RJ forced a smile. "But I think I have to go."

Caroline looked up at him with a frown. "Why?"

Emma toddled over to him. "Em wants you to stay!"

"I just... have things to do..." RJ replied lamely.

"But we're about to eat cake," Caroline argued. "And we're going to play a game and then Emma's going to open her presents."

"Please stay," Emma poked her lower lip out and in that moment looked very much like Maddie.

"Em," RJ said picking her up.

"Uncle RJ I love you," Emma hugged him.

RJ patted her back. "I love you too, Em. Happy Birthday."

"Stay for Em?" the redhead asked.

RJ laughed. Alexa was right. It was impossible to say no to her. "Okay, I'll stay."

"Yay," Caroline said happily. "We never get to see you anymore Uncle RJ."

"I know," RJ apologised. "Some godfather I am..."

Allison nudged him. "You're a great godfather and the girls love you and look at what your nephew has on today..."

RJ peered into Adam's pram and saw his nephew was wearing a Puddlemere t-shirt with RJ's number on it.

"Hey," RJ laughed. "Thanks Allie... he looks great."

"We're starting him out young," Allison said. "Do you want to hold him?"

"Only if Em doesn't mind," RJ said.

"Watch his head," Emma cautioned as RJ put her down.

"I will," RJ smiled at her as he gently lifted Adam out.

"Hey, little guy," RJ said as he cradled Adam in his arms.

Adam looked up at him, his blue eyes open and unblinking.

"Don't you just love the way he smells?" Caroline asked her uncle. "Well, he smells bad when he has a stinky nappy, but other than that he smells so sweet!"

RJ laughed. "I remember when you had stinky nappies."

Caroline blushed. "That was years ago!"

"Sissy had stinky nappies?" Emma asked, her eyes huge.

"So did you, Em!" Caroline exclaimed. "Every baby does!"

"Em doesn't stink," Emma replied.

"Not now," Caroline said. "But when you were a baby you did when you would---"

"Em doesn't stink!" she stamped her little foot.

Caroline giggled. "Em! Okay...you don't stink."

Emma smiled sweetly. "Kay."

RJ felt light hearted for the first time that day as he listened to his nieces. He was glad he'd decided to stay.

"I think Adam likes you," Allison said from his side. "He normally doesn't stay this quiet for long."

RJ grinned down at his nephew. "I think we understand each other."

Jon took out a camera from behind the bar. "What do you say about being the official party photographer? You're the best one out of all of us..."

RJ looked thoughtfully at his brother. Truth be told, he hadn't picked up a camera in ages. He had missed it. "I don't know---"

"Come on RJ," Allison said. "We'd love to have some good shots and you really are the best at taking photos."

"I-I suppose I could take a few shots," RJ said gingerly handing Adam back to Allison.

"Thanks," Jon said gratefully. "I'm rubbish at it."

RJ took the camera. "How about one of the Weasley family to start off?"

"Yay!" Caroline exclaimed. "Come on, Mummy!"

152. 152- Caroline and Emma interview this week!

This is a short chapter, guys. But we wanted to start all the New Year’s celebrations together. And the interview a lot of you were waiting for- two princesses sat down with us and chatted for a bit ;) Next week due to reader request, we will feature Julie and Nick!

If you enjoy it, please review it! :D

"All right," Allison smiled and set Adam back in his bouncy seat.

"Birthday girl, you get in the middle," RJ told Emma.

"Kay," Emma said as Jon lifted the seat in his arms.

"Alright," RJ said looking through the viewfinder. "On the count of three... one...two....three..."

"Cheese!" Emma said happily as her parents and siblings also grinned.

RJ spent the next hour enjoying himself as he took pictures of his parents, Harry and Hermione with Julie and Nick and then the entire Princess Club. He even managed to catch a few candids of the guests.

There was one table he'd been avoiding and he reluctantly approached his friends. "Mind if I get a few shots?" he asked.

Saffron opened her mouth to say something smart, but Alexa kicked her leg under the table.

"You too, Boyd," RJ said making an effort on Emma's behalf.

"Sure," Gabriel said, sharing a surprised look with Alexa.

"Smile, Saffy," Andrew whispered putting his arm around her. "For Emma's sake."

"Fine," Saffron said, pasting a grin on her face.

RJ took a couple of shots. "Great. Thanks."

"RJ why don't you get in there," Josh came up behind him. "I'm not as bad as Jon at taking pictures and I know Emma would like a few of you in them."

"Um," RJ said looking down at the floor.

"Let's get your ugly mug in here," Andrew joked. "Come on, RJ."

Saffron glowered as RJ sat down next to Andrew.

"Okay," Josh instructed. "Everyone smile. That means you, Saffy."

"I'll smile," she said.

"Great," Josh said as he took the picture. "And one more..."

Andrew pulled his girlfriend closer as Josh took one last shot. "That's my girl," he whispered in her ear.

Saffron rolled her eyes. "It was for Emma's sake," she whispered back.

"Thanks," RJ said standing up.

"I'm glad you decided to stay," Alexa told him softly. "I'm sure it meant the world to Emma."

"Yeah well..." RJ shrugged. "Whatever..."

Josh handed the camera back to his nephew. "Come on...the triplets are ready for their close up..."

RJ nodded and headed off with his brother.

"Thank you for not saying anything," Alexa told Saffron. "He doesn't need to be alienated from his family, Saffy. They mean a lot to him."

"I'm not trying to alienate him," Saffron said. "I just hate being by him."

"Really?" Andrew asked her teasingly. "We couldn't tell."

"Very funny," Saffron replied, softening as he slid his arm around her.

Across the room, RJ had just finished taking several photos of the triplets, who stared up at him with identical grins.

"Rujh," Noah said holding up his hand and waving it at his uncle.

Lizzy groaned. "I know he didn't just say RJ when I can't get him to say Mama."

"It sounded like mumbo jumbo to me," RJ teased his sister in law.

Lizzy laughed. "I spend all those hours in labour and this is the thanks I get..."

"Oh come on Liz," RJ grinned at her. "You know my brother couldn't do anything without you. He'd be a lost cause with these three if you weren't around."

"You're sweet to say that," Lizzy said picking Noah up. "Say Mama, Noah..."

Noah stared at her before saying, "Da."

Lizzy sighed. "It's a lost cause..."

"Don't give up," RJ said. He looked over at the bar and saw his maternal grandfather nursing a glass of punch. A wave of guilt hit RJ when he realised he hadn't seen Ernest Lovegood since his first match.

"Grandpa," RJ said taking a quick picture.

"Ronald Junior you know I hate getting my picture taken," Ernie said with a hearty laugh.

"Oh come on, just one?" he joked.

Ernie shook his head. "Not even one. Little Emma already made me do something called a chicken dance...I think I may have pulled a muscle..."

"Wish I'd had the camera then," RJ smiled at his grandfather. "I'm sorry I haven't been around."

"Ah, it's okay," Ernie reassured him. "You've been busy."

"Not that busy," RJ said guiltily. "I'll come by and see you soon, I promise. We'll go to lunch or something."

Ernie smiled at him. "It's good to see you with a camera again. You know your mum would take you at the paper today if you needed a job..."

"Yeah I know," RJ smiled. "But I love playing Quidditch."

Ernie nodded. "You're quite good at both."

"Thanks," RJ smiled at him.

Ernie drained his glass. "So things are going okay with you?"

"Getting better," RJ replied.

"Don't ever let it get you down," Ernie said sagely. "And when the chips are down, you can always count on your family. You just remember that and everything will sort itself out."

"Thanks Grandpa," RJ said. "That makes a lot of sense... and you're right."

Ernie laughed. "I'm always right, Junior."

"The old and the wise," RJ teased.

"What are you two conspiring about?" Ron asked slapping them both on the back.

"He's just giving me some good advice," RJ told his father.

"He once gave me advice," Ron said thoughtfully.

"What was that?" RJ asked.

"Well, it was along the lines of if you ever hurt my little girl, I'll turn you into a blast-ended skrewt," Ron replied with a shudder.

"And for good reason," Ernest gave him a stern look.

"Dad, you said the same thing to Hans," RJ pointed out.

"Yeah well... he's got to take care of my Darla," Ron said, looking across the room at his twin daughters who were sitting and talking with their fiancés.

"And Ethan," RJ said. "And Brian...and didn't you say that to that little kid who fancies Caroline?"

"Michael or something," Ron replied. "But we can give the kid a break."

"You threatened a seven year old?" Ernest asked his son-in-law.

"Of course not," Ron replied indignantly.

"That would be a little extreme, Ronald," Ernest said sharing a look with RJ. "Even I'm not that bad."

"I've never said a word to the boy," Ron replied.

"Yes you have," RJ said with a laugh. "Dad, do you remember at Caroline's sixth birthday when you fought with that kid over a piece of cake?"

"That wasn't the same kid," Ron was growing annoyed.

"Are you sure?" RJ asked. "I thought it was..."

Ron turned red as Ernie chuckled at him. "I have to go find Luna," he made a quick escape.

The rest of the party went by without incident. Emma happily opened up her presents and oohed and ahhed over everything. The last present she opened was from Hannah, Frankie and Will. She looked slyly up at Hannah. "What did Han get Em?"

"I hope you'll like it," Hannah said nervously. "I picked it out."

Inside the rather large box there was a beauty salon kit, complete with toy dryer, mirror, cape, and makeup set.

Emma's mouth dropped. "Ooooooooh!"

"And a big tub of Magic Mud," Frankie chimed in.

"Em loves mud!" Emma exclaimed in delight.

Hannah smiled up at Frankie. "She likes it, Mummy!"

"Em loves it," Emma hugged her. "Han come over and play now."

Hannah giggled. "We can makeover Max, Em."

Emma nodded solemnly as Caroline and Katie giggled. "Maxi will be beautiful."

"And Mister Ron too," Hannah whispered.

"Gampa!" Emma said. "Look what Em got!"

Ron forced a smile. "Oh goody..."

"You always get the wax," Neville grumbled. "I always seem to get the mud treatment. We're both in for it."

"Don't worry," Caroline told him. "We can sign you up for both treatments plus a bikini wax..."

"Uh..." Ron paled visibly. "Caroline, sweetheart, we don't wear those, so we don't need any sort of treatment like that."

"It's never too soon to prepare for the bikini season," Caroline said loftily. "That's what Aunt Frankie always says."

"Wonderful," Neville replied. "Just bloody fantastic."

"They don't even know what that really is Nev," Cho whispered to him. "Humour them."

"You're not the one getting mud treatments and wax," Neville whispered back.

"It's not real," Cho said stifling a laugh.

"Mum," Chiaki said. "I think Tosh and I are going to head out a bit early. Sukie's really sleepy."

"Oh," Cho said giving her daughter a hug. "Okay."

"I'll bring these two by later this week," Chiaki shifted her daughter in her arms.

"Okay," Cho said kissing her granddaughter on the top of her head.

"Sukie," Emma said tugging on Chiaki's shirt. "Bye, Sukie!"

Mitsuko sent a tired smile Emma's way.

"Happy Birthday, Em," Cho said to her niece. "Thank you for inviting us."

"Come 'gain!" Emma replied.

Toshio laughed. "We will....see you guys."

"Bye!" Emma waved and headed back to her parents, who were packing away all her new presents.

"Em got so much stuff!" Emma exclaimed looking at all of the toys, clothes and other items she'd received.

Jon laughed. "You sure did, baby."

Emma wrapped her arms around Jon's leg. "Thank Daddy."

"You don't have to thank me," Jon picked her up. "I'd do anything for my Em."

"Even mud?" Emma asked impishly.

Jon laughed again. "The mud is for your grandpa."

Emma frowned. "Peas?"

"As long as it's our little secret," Jon leaned in. "Maybe you can do a little mud."

Emma clapped her hands excitedly. "Thank Daddy."

Jon laughed as he hugged her. "Let's get all this stuff home."

"M'kay," Emma replied. "Em show Adam all my stuff when we get home!"

"Adam's going to take a kip when we get home," Allison said.

Caroline stifled a yawn as she picked up a few of her sister's presents. "I'm sleepy too."

"I'm not!" Emma announced. "Can Han come to play?"

Jon tweaked Emma's nose. "Where do you get this energy from?"

"Don't know," Emma said innocently.

"Maybe Hannah can come over later," Allison said motioning to where Hannah was currently fast asleep in Will's arms.

"Han's sleepy too?" Emma asked. "Why?"

"Don't know," Allison said thoughtfully. "Maybe she was so excited about your party she didn't get much sleep last night and it's finally catching up to her."

"Oh," Emma said. "Em's still not sleepy."

Jon shook his head. "Well, maybe while your little brother and big sister are sleeping, you and I can go out back for a little broom ride...since it is your birthday..."

"Oooooh!" Emma clapped her hands.

"But you have to wear your coat and mittens, Emma," Allison told her. "I don't want you to get a cold."

"Kay," Emma said happily. "Daddy, will you take me high?"

"That depends," Jon said smiling at her. "How high did you want go, baby?"

"Up in the sky!" Emma squealed.

Jon laughed. "Okay, then. Since you are three...I suppose we could do that."

"I'm a big girl," Emma announced. "Not baby anymore."

Jon and Allison grinned. "That's right; you’re a big girl now."

"Adam's baby now," Emma looked at her brother, who was fast asleep in his pram.

"But you know what?" Jon asked her. "No matter what you're always going to be my girl."

"Kay," Emma agreed. "For Daddy."

"Don't forget about me," Caroline said leaning against her father.

"I could never forget about my Angel," Jon put his arm around her.

RJ came over to them. "I'll develop these tonight and bring them by tomorrow morning if you like."

"It's New Year's," Jon teased his brother. "I'd have thought you had a hot night out on the town planned."

RJ shrugged. He knew he could always go to Scanlon's party if he felt like it but he wasn't sure. "Won't take me long."

"That's very sweet of you, RJ," Allison said giving him a hug. "And I'm so glad you decided to stay."

"Me too," Caroline chimed in.

"Thanks," RJ said. "It was nice to be around family again."

"We're always here," Jon told him.

RJ nodded. "I'll see you lot tomorrow sometime."

"Bye, RJ!" Emma said waving at him.

"Bye Em," RJ said. "Happy birthday."

RJ paused at the door and turned to wave at Andrew. "See you at home, mate," he said his eyes lingering on Alexa.

"Yeah," Andrew said. "If I don't see you, have a good New Year's."

"You too," RJ said quietly.

"You never did tell me what we were going to do tonight," Saffron reminded him. "We could always stay at my house."

"What are your parents going to be doing?" Andrew asked.

"Probably sleeping," Saffron grinned. "That's what old people do."

"Saffy!" Alexa exclaimed.

"Who are you calling old, young lady?" Harry asked putting an arm around his daughter. "Hmm?"

"Not you," Saffron said innocently.

"If you must know," Harry told her. "I'm taking your mum out for a nice dinner and afterwards we might go dancing..."

"Well is it okay if Andrew and Alexa and Gabe come over tonight then?" Saffron asked.

"I don't see why not," Harry said. "If you behave yourselves..."

"I always behave," Saffron said.

"Would you lot agree with that?" Harry asked his daughter's friends.

"Of course sir," Andrew said quickly.

"Absolutely," Alexa agreed.

Gabriel also nodded as well.

"All right then," Harry smiled. "You four have fun tonight."

"You too," Saffron said giving him a hug. "Thanks, Daddy."

Harry kissed the top of his daughter's head. "Don't forget about brunch tomorrow. If everyone wants to stay they're welcome to."

"Gran's coming, right?" Saffron asked.

"She'll be there," Harry replied. "She's staying with Lavender and Seamus, so she'll come with them."

Saffron smiled. "She wants to teach me how to play Bridge..."

"Elinore could do that for hours," Harry teased. "Kind of like Robert with golf."

"Which reminds me, I have to get this one on the golf course someday soon," Saffron said nudging Andrew.

"Yeah, you just want to make a fool of me," Andrew smiled at his girlfriend.

"I don't need a golf course to do that," Saffron said with a grin.

"Whatever happened to YOUR Andrew?" Gabriel teased. "He could do no wrong just this past summer."

""He still has his moments," Saffron said leaning against him.

"Gee thanks Saf," Andrew said with a sarcastic grin.

"You're welcome, Andrew," Saffron said smiling sweetly at him.

Alexa smiled at Gabriel. "So I guess we'll be ringing in the New Year together." When she realised what she'd said, her cheeks reddened. "I mean, we'll be...you know...the four of us....not just you and me. You know..."

"Right," Gabriel had also turned red. "We'll have fun tonight... innocent fun, not like... that kind of um... fun."

"Right," Alexa said with a nervous laugh.

"I should go tell my dad and Lavender what I'm going to be doing tonight," Gabriel said.

"Yeah," Alexa said reaching into her bag for her mobile. "I need to call my mum and let her know, too.”

Frankie looked at her sleeping daughter in Will's arms. "You know, I think this will be the first New Year's Eve I've spent at home since I was a teenager."

Will smiled. "You sure you don't want to spend it at some trendy club?"

"Nah," Frankie grinned. "I want to spend it with my family. I told you lot last year that this would be the best year ever."

"Little did you know," Will said winking at her.

"Tell me about it," Frankie looked adoringly at the little girl in her husband's arms. "Ethan and Maddie are coming over, so it'll just be a nice, quiet evening." she laughed. "I never thought I'd look forward to a nice, quiet evening."

"Mr. and Mrs. Boring," Will said dramatically.

Hannah's eyes blinked open. "Hi, Daddy."

"Hey baby," Will said. "Want to go home?"

Hannah thought about this for a few moments and then nodded her head. "Sleepy..."

Will stood up with her still in his arms. "Let's go say goodbye and then we can leave."

"Okay," Hannah said resting her head on Will's shoulder.

Frankie went over by Ethan. "What time are you and Mads coming over?" she asked. "Hannah's tired so we're taking off."

"Around nine if that's okay," Ethan replied.

"Sure," Frankie nodded. "Bring Blue if you want."

Maddie walked over to Will and Hannah. "Would you like us to bring Blue, Hannah?"

"Blue?" Hannah's eyes opened wider. "Your pixie?"

Maddie nodded. "He loves going out and I bet that he'd love to show you the new tricks he can do."

"Okay," Hannah smiled shyly at her.

"That was a very sweet gift that you gave Emma," Maddie said. "She's been dying for her own beauty shop set."

"I'm really glad she liked it," Hannah blushed with pride. "She's my bestest friend."

"She says that about you too," Maddie said grinning at her. "Just like your mummy is my bestest friend."

"Ready, love?" Will asked. "I know you're dying to get home and kip a little so you can stay up late to play with Blue tonight."

Hannah nodded. "Bye, Maddie!"

"I'll see you in a little while, Hannah." Maddie smiled.

Ethan put his arm around Maddie as they watched the Barrons leave. "I still can't get over seeing Frankie all maternal..."

"I think it's sweet," Maddie leaned against him. "Especially with Hannah's previous situation. She couldn't have gotten two better people to be her parents."

"And she certainly took to Frankie, didn't she?" Ethan asked.

"Almost from the first day, according to my mum," Maddie replied.

"I'm glad for them too," Ethan said.

"Come on," Maddie took his hand. "Let's go home and get ready for later. I want to bring Blue's obstacle course so he can do his tricks for Hannah."

"Sounds good," Ethan said waving to his younger sister and her friends. "Let's get out of here."

A short while later, everyone had cleared out of the bar and Jon finished the remaining cleanup to close the place down. He and Victoria had agreed to not open for New Year's Eve that year.

Allison had taken the girls and the baby home and Cho and Neville had stayed behind to look after them. As she let herself back into the pub, she smiled when she saw her husband leaning against the bar. "Hiya, Handsome...are you still open?"

"Hey," Jon greeted her. "Just finishing up."

"It really was a great party, wasn't it?" Allison asked stepping closer.

"It was so cute when Em came in," Jon said with a grin. "I'll never forget the look on her face."

"You should have seen the look on her face when she thought you weren't going to be there and we weren't going to have any decorations," Allison said.

Jon laughed. "At least it means we surprised her."

"We sure did," Allison said wrapping her arms around him. "Are we alone?"

"Completely," Jon said, covering her mouth with his.

Allison hadn't really planned on something like this when she'd come back. She'd wanted to see if he needed any help cleaning up and she was going to see about getting a start on revising the menu. "Mmmm," she murmured.

Jon kissed her harder, letting his hands wander up her back under her shirt. "Allie, this is the first time we've been alone in months..."

"Most of the time we're too knackered to do anything but sleep," Allison said softly as she ran her hands through his hair.

Jon shuddered a bit at her touch. "I'm not knackered right now..."

"I can tell," Allison said as he pushed his hips against hers.

"I bet you can tell a lot of things right now," Jon said with a wicked grin.

Allison unbuttoned his shirt. "Do you remember that night when I visited you in Ireland and you were closing up your dad's shop and we..."

"Yeah," he said huskily. "That first summer we were together... we had to tell him some kids made a mess because we were snogging for so long in the back..."

"I don't think he believed us," Allison said tossing his shirt to the floor and letting her hands wander down his chest.

"Probably not," Jon replied as he loosened her hair from her ponytail.

Allison kissed him again. "Merlin, Jon..."

"It really has been entirely too long," Jon moved his mouth down the side of her neck.

"Way, way too long," Allison said biting her bottom lip.

"Come here," Jon said, leaving his shirt on the floor as he pulled her behind the bar.

"Here?" Allison asked grinning at him.

He pushed some bottles aside and lifted her up on the lower counter. "Right here..."

"Perfect," Allison said right before he kissed her.

It didn't take him long to pull her jeans and jumper off after that. "Al..." he said huskily. "I love you so much."

"I love you too," Allison whispered. "Please, Jon..."

With a grunt, Jon pushed himself inside her.

Allison clung to him as she lost herself in what they were doing. He was right. It had been entirely too long.

No more words were exchanged between them until their bodies were sweaty and they were holding onto each other. "I'd say that's been building up for awhile," he joked.

Allison nodded. "That was amazing..."

"You," Jon said. "You are amazing."

"We have to do this again sometime," Allison said pressing her lips to his forehead.

Jon laughed. "I totally agree."

"We definitely never did this in your dad's shop," Allison giggled.

"For good reason," Jon replied. "You never know what might happen when you shag in a joke shop."

"Have you shagged many girls in a joke shop, then?" Allison asked hitting him in the arm.

Jon tickled her side. "I've only shagged you."

"Just making sure," Allison said laughing.

"It's always been you, Allie." Jon said. "Only you."

She kissed him. "And you for me."

Week 8: Caroline and Emma

Amynoelle: I think this is going to be the best one yet. Two of the cutest children ever and we have loads of sweets for them. Hopefully, Jon and Allie won't be too mad at us.

Heaven: Nah... And can I just say how excited I am to see Em?

Amynoelle: I know! We've watched her grow up!

Heaven: I really can't believe she's three years old!

Amynoelle: They're both growing up too fast! We need to see what we can do to slow that down. Oh! I think I hear them coming!

Allison: Okay, girls. Remember to be nice and don't eat too much. We're going to your Grandma Cho and Grandpa Neville's for dinner later.

Emma: Em eat here AND at Grandpa's!

Caroline: I'll watch out for her, Mummy.

Heaven: Oh my gosh! You guys are finally here! Emma, will you make me the most envied author by giving me a hug?

Emma: *looks at Allison*: Mummy?

Allison: Go ahead, baby. Heaven and Amynoelle are really sweet girls. Remember what Aunt Maddie told you?

Emma: Kay. I hug everybody!

Caroline: *stands back shyly with Allison*

Heaven: Hey Caroline! You're just as pretty as I always thought you'd be!

Caroline: Thanks.

Amynoelle: And you're such a good big sister. Everyone says so.

Caroline: *blushes*

Heaven: Allie and Jon, thank you so much for letting us have a little chat with them. The readers are so excited about it!

Jon: No problem. Would you mind if I nicked one of those brownies?

Allison: Jon, those are for the girls.

Emma: Daddy, here! Eat!

Heaven: It's okay Jon. Help yourself!

Jon: Okay, I'm going to take one of these. And oooh, one of these. And oooh...two of those....

Allison: Jonathan! We are having dinner in a few hours!

Amynoelle: its okay, Jon. Take as much as you want.

Caroline: Is it okay if I have one of these biscuits?

Heaven: Absolutely it is. You might want to grab one before Em sees them.

Caroline: *smiles Okay, thanks.

Allison: Okay, girls. We'll be back in just a bit to pick you up. Have fun!

Emma: Kay, Mummy. Em be good!

Heaven: This is already so much fun! We'll start with a few questions about Adam okay?

Caroline: Okay.

Heaven: Molly wants to know, from both of you, what's your favourite part about having Adam in your family now?

Caroline: Daddy says it's because we have another person to boss around. But, he's really sweet and doesn't cry that much. And he likes it when Em and I sing to him.

Emma: Em sing lots of songs to Adam! Like Jingle Bells!

Caroline: *whispers to Amy* She doesn't know all the words, but it is really cute.

Amynoelle: I bet it is. Lillian Potter had a similar question for you guys. What is it like having a brother?

Caroline: It's pretty cool.

Emma: Em likes being big Sissy!

Heaven: And you've been so good to him too, Emma! Portkey Fan 4ever wants to know, besides being a beautiful funny princess, what do you like to do for fun? Colouring? Dancing? Reading?

Emma: Em love to dance. And colour! And play with Maxi.

Amynoelle: Speaking of Max, there was a picture that went around....where...Heaven, how do we say this?

Heaven: Emma do you like to eat dog food?

Caroline: Ew, gross! Like what Max eats?

Emma: Em no eat Maxi's food!

Amynoelle: We didn't think you did, Em. And Emma, Ears91 wants to know if you are excited for the time when Adam will start to crawl, walk, and talk so you can teach him everything you know?

Emma: *nods* Em show Adam how to do it! Just like Sissy did!

Caroline: I didn't teach you that much, Em...

Emma: Sissy did. Sissy help Em out soooo much.

Amynoelle: Well, another reader named Emma who loves that you have the same name as her, Emma. And she has two questions for you. The first one goes to Emma---she wishes you a Happy Birthday and wants to know who is your favourite person out of your uncles and Grandpas?

Emma: Sissy what does that mean?

Caroline: She wants to know who you like the best out of everybody.

Emma: Em loves everyone!

Amynoelle: We know you do, Em! And now for Caroline, our reader Emma thinks that you are a good big sister. And she wants to know if you ever get jealous of Emma or even Adam. Do they ever annoy you?

Caroline: No... I love my sister and my brother a lot. I like to help my mummy when Adam has stinky nappies or he has to be fed. I love the way he smells after he gets a bath!

Amynoelle: That's what makes you a great big sister, Caroline! Now, RC has a question for Caroline. What's the worst part about being Jon and Allie's kid?

Caroline: I love my mummy and daddy. I wouldn't want to be anyone else's little girl!

Emma: Not for Em! Em loves Mummy and Daddy!

Heaven: You are so cute Emma. Want another brownie?

Emma: Peas?

Caroline: Grandpa Ron says she has a bottomless tummy just like him.

Heaven: I think he's right! Em... coolman wants to know when you ate the most and what did you eat?

Emma: Em eats all the time! Yummy, yummy! Chocolate!

Caroline: She ate quite a bit at Nana's during Christmas.

Amynoelle: I bet you did. And I heard that your Mummy is quite a good cook, too.

Emma: Mummy's the best!

Amynoelle: That goes back into RC's question. Emma, RC wants to know what do you like the bestest about Mummy and Daddy? Caroline, you can answer this one too.

Caroline: Daddy tells the best stories. He does all these funny voices that makes me and Emma laugh all the time. And Mummy is a good cook and she's just the best.

Emma: Daddy dances with Em! And Mummy lets me help with Adam when Sissy at school!

Caroline: She does a good job, too.

Amynoelle: Caroline, miss granger wants to know how you came up with the idea for the princess club.

Caroline: Me and Katie did, together. We were watching Aladdin one day and we just thought of it. I got to be Jasmine because I have a flying carpet. Plus she's my favourite!

Heaven: Speaking of Katie, a few people want to know if you realise she's not that nice to Mia. And kangus wants to know if you're best friends only because Katie said so?

Caroline: Katie and Mia are both my best friends. Sometimes she's not very nice to Mia, but she's getting better.

Heaven: That's good to hear. Mia's very sweet and she was so happy when you two met!

Caroline: She's really sweet! And we have so much fun!

Amynoelle: Emma, coolman wants to know who you like best---Katie or Mia?

Emma: Em loves both! No like best!

Amynoelle: Awwwww!

Heaven: You really are the sweetest character in this story, Em!

Caroline: Me too?

Heaven: Of course, Caroline! Look how sweet both of you have been to Hannah! She is so happy you guys are her cousins.

Emma: Han is Em's bestest friend!

Heaven: She certainly is! Hey Em- I think we already know the answer to this, but TheGreatFox2000 wants to know what is your favourite thing to do in the whole world?

Emma: Eat!

Amynoelle: Of course! Potterchick958 wants to know what your favourite Disney Pixar movie is?

Caroline: My most favourite is Aladdin, but I also really love Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King. Em, what's yours?

Emma: Ariel!!

Caroline: The Little Mermaid....she was singing "Under the Sea" to Adam before we came over here.

Heaven: Awwww!

Amynoelle: Would you sing for us now?

Emma: Can Em have another biscuit?

Heaven: You can have two!

Emma: *Squeals*

Amynoelle: Emma, Potterchick958 also wants to know if she can take you home with her? She has cookies and will play beauty parlour and she thinks you are the cutest toddler ever.

Emma: Kay! Does she have a Maxi?

Amynoelle: We don't know if she has a dog...

Emma: Em come to play, kay? Bring Magic Mud!

Amynoelle: We'll tell her that she has a play date. She also wants to know what changed for you when Adam was born? When you found out that your Mummy was going to have a baby, you were worried that you weren't going to be the baby anymore. And now, you stepped into your big sister role and became Adam's best friend. What happened?

Emma: *looks at Caroline* I got to be like Sissy. And Em is Adam's best friend!

Amynoelle: That's very sweet, Emma! Kangus also wants to know if you'll be this protective of Adam when he gets big like you.

Emma: Yes!

Heaven: You are both such great sisters- I think everyone agrees on that! Now Caroline- toinkydoink wants to know about that boy from your birthday party, and if it means you're over your crush on Will?

Caroline: *Blushes* My what?

Heaven: *whispers to Amy* were we supposed to say anything about that?

Amynoelle: *whispers* I don't think so.

Caroline: Did my mummy tell you anything?

Heaven: No... we sort of guessed. I don't think your mummy would ever tell a secret she heard from you.

Caroline: *still blushing* Good. Michael goes to school with me and we're just really good friends. He's funny, too!

Heaven: So he's not your boyfriend?

Caroline: Ew! No, I don't have a boyfriend!

Amynoelle: So PruePotter's question about your crush on Will fading over time...

Caroline: I didn't have a crush on Uncle Will! *Blushes* Really! I promise!

Heaven: We believe, you Caroline. But what about Em's crush on Gabey?

Emma: Is Gabey here?

Heaven: Not at the moment... But I bet we could get him to come by...

Emma: Em loves Gabey! Gabey gave Em big purple bear.

Caroline: She never named that bear, but she named her other one Gabe. It's a really cute one!

Amynoelle: Natalie has a really good question for you Caroline. You remember when Emma was born, right? Natalie wants to know how you felt when your daddy told you your mummy was going to be asleep for awhile? And how did you come up with the name Emma?

Caroline: I just always liked the name Emma. And she looked like an Emma too! And I don't remember a whole lot about when Mummy went to sleep, except I wanted her to wake up. And I got scared when she had Adam that it would happen again. I just wanted her to be okay.

Amynoelle: We were all so happy that she was okay.

Caroline: Me too.

Emma: Em's happy too!

Amynoelle: Natalie wants Emma to know she loves The Little Mermaid too and she wants to know who is your favourite character? And who do you thinks eats the most---you, Grandpa Ron, or Aunt Maddie?

Emma: Em loves Ariel! Em looks like Ariel! And Grandpa eats most!

Caroline: Aunt Maddie's second. She once ate an entire pizza all by herself!

Heaven: I'd love to know her secret for staying so slim...

Amynoelle: All of us women would. And Caroline, this is a question from Lulu. She wants to know if you ever feel like Adam and Emma get more attention than you? And who do you look up to the most?

Caroline: Sometimes they might, but they're younger. And I was the only kid for awhile before Em came along. And I really, really look up to my mummy. She's beautiful and she's smart and she loves everybody. That's what I want to be like when I grow up!

Amynoelle: TheGreatFox2000 wants to know if you ever think about Quidditch since flying is in your blood?

Caroline: I like to go up with there with Daddy and Mummy, but I don't know if I could go up there by myself!

Emma: Sissy brave!

Caroline: Thanks, Em.

Heaven: Emma - the other Emma- wants to know if you ever get jealous of Em or Adam, or if they annoy you?

Caroline: Um, sometimes I might just a little, but I know Mummy and Daddy love all three of us just the same. And sometimes it annoys me when Adam cries in the middle of the night and wakes me up, but that doesn't happen too much.

Heaven: I don't like it when my dog snores and wakes me up.

Caroline: Your dog snores? So does Max!

Emma: *giggles* Maxi snores LOUD!

Amynoelle: Lulu wants to know what you like best about being a big sister to Adam?

Emma: Em likes singing to Adam!

Caroline: And I like the faces he makes. I'm trying to figure out what they all mean.

Heaven: Do you two like your uncle RJ's new girlfriend Serena?

Emma: Em like Lexie!

Heaven: Everyone likes Lexie... *under her breath* especially Gabe...

Amynoelle: Before we give anything away, let's get back to the questions. Coolman wants to know why you don't like Serena?

Caroline: Well, she's not very nice. She was kind of mean to Aunt Saffy. And we just like Lexie more because she plays with us and she brings us fudge from her mummy's bakery.

Emma: Em loves Lexie! Em misses her...

Amynoelle: She did come to your birthday party!

Caroline: I think she means she misses Lexie coming around with Uncle RJ."

Amynoelle: Awww, to tell you the truth, I miss that---ow! Heaven, why did you just hit me in the arm?

Heaven: Was that me?

Amynoelle: Either you or Saffy in her Invisibility cloak. *Rubs her arm* Um, getting back to the questions, NicholePotter86 asks Caroline if she was excited when you found out your mummy was going to have Emma or were you upset like Emma was when she found out about Adam?

Caroline: I was three almost four when I found out about Em. So I don't remember that much.

Emma: Em was excited!

Caroline: Em, you were in mummy's belly!

Emma: But Em wanted to come out and meet Sissy!

Caroline: *puts an arm around Emma* I’m glad you did, Em.

Amynoelle: Getting back to Katie and Mia, kangus wants to ask Caroline how she feels about how Katie sometimes treats Mia?

Caroline: I know she doesn't like Mia that much, but she's getting better! She asked her to be in the princess club before I even did.

Amynoelle: We didn't know that. Wow.

Caroline: Katie has to work on extra stuff for school. It's a secret and I can't tell what. But it makes her sort of angry sometimes.

Amynoelle: You're not only a good big sister, but you're a good friend, too, Caroline.

Caroline: Thanks.

Heaven: I think that about wraps it up. Amy, did we miss anything?

Amynoelle: I think that about does it. We're gonna wrap up the rest of this food so you can take this home to your mum and dad. And maybe you can bring it to your Grandpa Neville's.

Caroline *giggles* But not to Grandpa Ron's!

Allison: Girls, are you just about ready to go?

Emma: *slides off the sofa and runs toward her mother* Adam!

Heaven: He's getting so big already!

Amynoelle: He's adorable, Allie!

Emma: Adam, don't be sad! Em's here!

Allison: I'm sure he's happy to see you Em. Are you girls ready to go over to Grandma and Grandpa's?

Caroline: Yes, Mummy. We had fun, except.....they asked me about W-I-L-L. You didn't tell them, right?

Allison: What about Will? *winks at Caroline*

Caroline: *Grins* Thanks, Mummy.

Amynoelle: Jon, here's a basket of leftovers for you to take home.

Jon: I knew I liked you girls for a reason.

Heaven: Glad to be of service!

Emma: Bye-bye! Em, has to go, kay?

Heaven: Thanks for answering our questions, Em! And here's a peanut butter cup for the road!

Emma: Thank!

Caroline: Thank you for the sweets.

Heaven: You're welcome Caroline. We'll see you very, very soon. And practise your dancing! *winks*

Amynoelle: How cute were they?

Heaven: I should have pinched Emma's cheeks.

Amynoelle: Instead you punched me in the arm. Just because we have differing opinions on who should end up with who...

Heaven: I have no idea what you're talking about...

Amynoelle: Okay, okay...we should probably tell our readers who is going to be interviewed next week.

Heaven: We did have a reader request for Nick and Julie

Amynoelle: That's a good idea!

Heaven: Maybe Nick will sing for us.

Amynoelle: And we'll get some questions about Headmaster Hottie...

Heaven: There's this actor that looks like him... he's all mine. Just like Jude is yours...

Amynoelle: At least in our dreams.

Heaven: Maybe we need to become stalkers.

Amynoelle: Only we can unleash the monsters in their chests!

Heaven: Iggy!

Amynoelle: We could always interview canon Ginny, but she's off on her journey....

Heaven: Hopefully never coming back...

Amynoelle: I'm telling you canon Harry should have just left her in the Chamber of Secrets. All of that Book 6 nonsense could have been avoided. But---let's not talk about this now or we'll be here all night. Oooooh, we have Oreos! Why didn't you tell me?

153. 153- don't forget Nick and Julie questions!

To make up for the shortness of last chapter, we made this one a bit longer than usual! It also includes a very nice H/Hr scene, which we know a lot of you have been hankering after ;)

We would like to start out by thanking you guys for the feedback we've been getting on the story. One thing though seems to be a recurring theme. Some of you feel that RJ isn't suffering for his actions.

Yes, he's changed, but you've also got to remember he's an 18 year old guy. He's not always thinking with his brain. Plus, his family isn't just going to write him off!

They, like Andrew, are disappointed in what he did, but they still care about him and want to support him.

So please just sit back and enjoy the ride. He's not going to suffer a vile, morbid death anytime soon ;)

And in the last character interview, it came out that one of us leans toward a Gabe/Alexa pairing and the other leans toward RJ/Alexa. While this is the case, you should also know that neither of us is completely opposed to the other pairing which is why we still haven't decided how that's going to end. Don’t forget your questions for Nick and Julie this weekend!!!

Frankie set a plate of cheese and crackers on the coffee table and then sat down beside Will. They were watching Hannah and Maddie set up Blue's obstacle course and the pixie was currently jumping up and down excitedly on Ethan's lap.

"This is going to be so cool," Hannah said to Maddie. "How fast can he do this?”

"He's gotten pretty fast," Maddie told her. "But you can time him and see if he breaks his record, okay?"

"Okay," Hannah replied excitedly.

"What do you think, little guy?" Ethan asked, feeding him a piece of cracker. "Going to go faster than ever?"

Blue responded by flying circles around Ethan's head.

"He's going to wear himself out before he gets started," Will said with a laugh.

"Are you kidding?" Ethan scoffed. "I don't think Blue ever runs out of energy."

"We have to cover his cage at night so he will go to sleep," Maddie said fondly.

"You should have heard him Christmas morning," Ethan said. "He was rattling the cage bars so hard I thought he'd pull them off."

"It was his first Christmas at the cottage," Maddie said as Blue landed on her shoulder.

Hannah watched in amazement as the little pixie pecked Maddie on the cheek.

"He's very affectionate," Maddie told her.

"He's really cute," Hannah replied.

"Want to see something cute?" Maddie asked Hannah who nodded. "Okay, hold up your hand..."

Hannah did as Maddie said. "What do I do next?"

"Say 'Blue, high five'," Maddie instructed with a wink. "And watch what he does."

Hannah grinned. "Blue, high five." she said.

Blue flew towards Hannah and touched his hand to hers and then pecked Hannah on the cheek like he'd done to Maddie.

Hannah giggled in pure delight. "That was so cute!"

"Ethan taught him the high five," Maddie said grinning at her husband.

"He must really like you," Hannah said to him.

Ethan laughed. "He didn't always. When we first got him, he only had eyes for Maddie."

"Unlike you," Frankie teased.

"Very funny, Francesca," Ethan said throwing a cracker at her.

"Thank you," she caught it and popped it into her mouth.

Hannah and Maddie finished setting up the course and Maddie motioned for Blue to take his place at the start. "Okay, baby. You ready?"

Blue hopped up and down in response.

"Hannah, will you do the honours?" Maddie asked her.

Hannah nodded. "Okay, on the count of three, Blue. One...two...three! GO!"

Hannah couldn't stop giggling as Blue tore around the obstacle course. Her laughter brought smiles to all the adults in the room.

"Mummy, look!" Hannah asked pointing as Blue expertly climbed over a wall.

"He's very good isn't he?" Frankie got down on the floor next to her daughter.

Hannah nodded and leaned against her mother. "Oooh!"

Blue climbed over the last obstacle- a tiny rope bridge and finished by stamping his little feet.

"Fifty-nine seconds," Will announced.

"Did he break his record?" Hannah looked anxiously at Maddie.

"That's the first time he's done it in under a minute," Maddie replied clapping her hands. "Way to go, Blue!"

Blue cackled and clapped his tiny hands together.

"Mummy told me you had another one when you were about my age," Hannah said to Maddie.

"I did," Maddie nodded. "She looked very much like Blue. Her name was Dolly."

"Dolly was a troublemaker," Ethan told Hannah. "She used to get out of her cage and tear things up and Ron and Luna nearly gave her away a thousand times..."

Hannah giggled.

"This one time, I let her out to clean her cage, and she tore up my father's favourite Chudley Cannons shirt. I really had to work my magic to convince them to let me keep her then."

"What did you do?" Hannah asked eagerly.

"I taped it back together," Maddie said promptly.

"And Mister Ron didn't get mad?" Hannah asked.

"Actually, he laughed," Maddie recalled. "I don't believe he knew what to think."

"But he never could get angry at Maddie," Ethan said. "Maddie has this look..."

Frankie laughed. "THE look..."

"No one was immune," Ethan teased. "It was this combination of puppy dog eyes and a pout..."

"You were the only one it didn't work on, right?" Will asked. "At least when you were kids..."

"It worked on me some," Ethan admitted.

"When?" Frankie asked incredulously. "You were always running the other way when she was around."

"I let her play with me when I was guarding Saffy's crib," Ethan pointed out.

"The monsters," Maddie grinned. "And I was Princess Cruella."

"Cruella?" Hannah asked. "Like the movie with the Dalmatians?"

Ethan turned red. "That's where I got it from."

"Maddie, you're nothing like Cruella," Hannah said softly.

"Thank you Hannah," Maddie smiled at her.

"Who's ready for pizza?" Frankie asked.

"Me!" Hannah said brightly.

"Alright then," Frankie said getting to her feet. "Let's go and get it ready then."

"Okay," Hannah took her mother's hand.

"Are you having a good time?" Frankie asked as they went into the kitchen.

Hannah nodded. "Blue is really funny."

"He is," Frankie said opening the box of pizza. She'd put a warming charm on it earlier.

"Yummy," Hannah declared. "You got extra cheese!"

"It is YOUR favourite," Frankie said grinning at her. "Sweetheart, can you hand me that plate?"

"Sure Mummy," Hannah said, reaching for it. She gasped as it accidentally slipped from her fingers and shattered.

"It's okay," Frankie said hastily as Hannah's lower lip began to tremble. "I can fix it, Hannah."

"But I broke it," Hannah said as tears flooded her eyes.

"You didn't mean to do it," Frankie said reassuringly. She picked up her wand and pointed it at the broken pieces of the plate. "Reparo."

Hannah's lower lip still trembled. "But I was a bad girl," she whispered.

Frankie set the repaired plate aside and knelt down beside her daughter. "Sweetheart, you aren't a bad girl. That was an accident. No harm done, and I'm not mad at you."

"You promise?" Hannah asked, wiping at her eyes.

"I promise," Frankie said giving her a hug. "No more tears, okay?"

Hannah nodded and hugged her back tightly.

"My sweet girl," Frankie said softly patting Hannah's back.

"I just don't want you to be mad at me," Hannah said quietly.

"I'm not," Frankie reassured her. "Come on; let's get you a slice of pizza."

"Okay," Hannah whispered.

Frankie served them each a slice of pizza and then called out to her husband and her friends. "It's ready...'

"I thought we were eating out here," Will called.

"You have to come and get your plate, you lazy git," Frankie called back.

"I'll help you bring them in," Maddie came into the kitchen.

"Thank you, Maddie," Frankie said smiling at her.

"I didn't mean to drop the plate," Hannah told her.

"Sweetheart, I know you didn't," Frankie told her again. "It's really okay."

"I drop things a lot," Maddie said. "It's the nice thing about being able to do magic. We can fix them right back up."

"But sometimes your daddy can get really upset when you break things," Hannah said sadly.

Maddie and Frankie exchanged glances. "Sweetheart," Frankie sat down on a chair and pulled Hannah to her. "Your daddy shouldn't have gotten mad at you for accidentally dropping something."

Hannah nodded and looked down at the floor.

"When you have an accident here, you will never be punished for it," Frankie told her firmly.

"Really?" Hannah asked in a small voice.

"Pinky swear," Frankie smiled at her daughter.

Hannah linked her pinky finger with Frankie's. "I love you, Mummy."

"I love you too baby," Frankie gave her a kiss on the forehead. "You're my best girl."

Maddie smiled as she watched Frankie interact with Hannah. It really was touching to see her best friend like this.

"All right- let's see if you can handle two plates." Frankie said. "We'll come back in there with drinks in a minute okay?"

Hannah nodded solemnly and walked slowly into the sitting room holding on tightly to the plates.

"Frankie," Maddie said softly. "You are so wonderful with her."

Frankie smiled. "You really think so?"

"Are you kidding me?" Maddie asked. "She was this close to tears and you just talked her right out of it."

"I'm trying," Frankie said confided. "She's had a few bad nights recently where she's had some nightmares about her dad. I swear, Maddie, I could just kill that man for what he did to her."

"I don't know how you and Will managed to restrain yourselves when you were with him," Maddie said seriously.

"Neither do I," Frankie said shuddering as she remembered all the horrible things David had said to her when she was the polyjuiced Hannah.

"But she's come such a long way already," Maddie replied. "And that's all because of the two of you."

"I needed to hear that," Frankie said gratefully.

Maddie smiled at her. "You're doing a great job Frankie, and you have a wonderful support system if you need it. I'm so happy for you and Will and I know Hannah's in the best of care with you two."

"Everyone's really been great," Frankie said. "We love her so much, Maddie. I didn't even know I could feel this way. I never imagined having children of my own and now...she's here and I can't imagine being without her ever."

"I hope Ethan and I can give her a playmate sooner or later," Maddie said.

Frankie grinned. "I thought you two were going to wait a couple of years before you got started..."

"We're not necessarily looking for it to happen," Maddie explained. "But if it does happen, we'll be happy."

"And I definitely know you'll be a great mum," Frankie said. "Which reminds me....there's something I've been meaning to ask you."

"What's that?" Maddie asked, getting some champagne out of the icebox.

"Well," Frankie began. "Will and I were talking and we were kind of hoping that you and Ethan would be Hannah's godparents."

"Really?" Maddie asked. "You want me and Ethan?"

"You're our best friends," Frankie said smiling at her.

"We'd love that," Maddie's eyes grew damp for a moment.

Frankie gave her a hug. "Thanks, Mads."

"Of course," Maddie hugged her back. "What a great way to start out a new year."

"We're getting hungry in here," Ethan called out. "Ladies?"

"We're coming," Maddie replied. "Keep your trousers on!"

If it hadn't been for Hannah, Ethan would have made a smart remark.

"I'm fine," Will grinned saucily at him. "My daughter takes care of me, see?"

"The polite thing would have been for you to offer me your pizza since I am a guest," Ethan pointed out.

"And your point is?" Will stuffed the slice into his mouth.

"You have no manners," Ethan said glaring at him.

Maddie and Frankie walked into the sitting room carrying the rest of the plates and right as Maddie set Ethan's plate down, Blue flew in and grabbed the slice.

"Hey!" Ethan cried out. "Blue! Bring that back here!"

Blue cackled before devouring the slice in one bite.

"Wow," Hannah's eyes were huge. "How'd he eat that whole piece like that?"

"Blue loves people food," Maddie explained.

"Damn it," Ethan cursed. "Er... sorry. Darn it..."

"There's more in the kitchen," Frankie told him, stifling a laugh.

"I'll get it for you," Maddie kissed her husband's cheek.

"Thanks," Ethan replied.

Maddie smiled at him before heading out for another slice.

"Mummy, what did you do last year for New Year's?" Hannah asked.

"We went to a club," Frankie told her. "With a lot of friends."

"Dancing?" Hannah asked.

"We did lots of dancing," Frankie nodded. "Well I did. You know how your daddy dances."

"Bad," Hannah said nodding.

Ethan laughed at Will. "You showed her the ice cream scoop?"

"I might have," Will said sheepishly.

Maddie came back with another slice of pizza. "No Blue," she told her pixie when he made another dive. "You've had enough now."

Blue flew back into his cage and slammed the door behind him.

"I think he's mad now," Hannah said.

"He'll get over it," Ethan said happily taking a bite of his pizza.

"Happy now?" Will asked. "No more whining?"

Ethan nodded. "I don't whine, Will."

"Sure you don't," Will snorted.

"Do I whine, Mads?" Ethan asked turning to his wife.

"Of course not," Maddie said loyally.

"See?" Ethan asked before taking another bite of his pizza.

"Daddy you're being silly," Hannah finished her slice.

"Hannah, you're already turning on me." Will said pretending to be wounded.

Hannah giggled. "You're just silly that's all."

"Will you allow your silly dad to get another slice of pizza?" Will asked tweaking her nose.

"I can get it for you," Hannah replied.

"Thanks, sweetheart," Will said. "Get me a big slice."

"Okay," Hannah carefully took his plate and went back into the kitchen.

"Much better than being in some club," Will said to his wife.

Frankie nodded. "It's funny how things changed in the last few months."

"Definitely for the better," Will said looking toward the kitchen.

Ethan grinned. "It's obvious you love being a dad."

"I do," Will said. "I just wish we could do something about her nightmares."

"I think they'll lessen with time," Maddie said thoughtfully. "Once she realises that David Wright can't hurt her anymore."

"And I'm sure spending all that time with you has been great for her," Ethan said referring to Frankie taking time off.

"We've been having a blast together," Frankie said. "I'm not sure what's going to happen once I go back to work in a few more days."

"You should talk to Nana," Maddie suggested. "I'm sure she'd love to watch her while you're at work."

"That might be a good idea," Frankie said. "Or I thought about taking her to the office with me like Allie does with Emma."

"You think you'd be able to do that?" Ethan asked.

"Probably," Frankie replied.

"Well, I'll be working mostly from home too," Will said.

"I'm so glad for that," Frankie confessed.

"So, we figure the most Hannah will have to go in with Frankie will be a couple of days a week," Will told Maddie and Ethan.

"Anytime you need someone to watch her, we'll do it too," Ethan offered.

"For free?" Will teased.

Maddie laughed. "You did watch Blue while we were gone."

"And the house managed to stay in one piece," Will said with a grin.

Hannah came back into the room carrying the plate of pizza for Will. "Here, Daddy. It's the biggest piece!"

"It certainly is," Will exclaimed. "Great job Hannah. Thank you!"

Hannah beamed at him. "I might have taken one of the pepperonis though."

"Might have?" Will looked at his slice. "I see at least three pieces missing here..."

"It's my most favourite part next to the extra cheese," Hannah explained.

Ethan nudged Frankie. "She's giving him the Maddie look..."

"When did you teach her that?" Frankie asked her best friend.

"I didn't," Maddie said. "She's a natural."

Hannah beamed at her. "You mean I did it right?"

Maddie nodded. "Perfect."

"Great," Will said dramatically. "I'm powerless against it!"

Hannah giggled. "I'll go easy on you, Daddy."

"Promise?" Will asked.

"Promise," Hannah replied.

"I'll hold you to that," Will said to her as Frankie glanced at her watch.

"It's ten minutes to midnight!" she exclaimed.

"Ooh," Maddie said excitedly. "We should turn on the Wireless!"

Will leaned over and snapped it on as Ethan poured everyone some champagne.

"What's that?" Hannah pointed to the bottle.

"Champagne," Will told her. "We have some sparkling cider for you, baby."

"Okay," Hannah watched as all the adults took a glass. "Can I try it?"

"You can have a small sip," Frankie replied.

Hannah carefully took the flute in her hands and sipped the champagne. "Eww...” she made a face. "I don't like it."

"It's an acquired taste," Frankie said with a laugh. "I'll go and fix you a glass of cider but we'll put it in a flute like ours, okay?"

"Really?" Hannah asked.

"Of course," Frankie said winking at her. "It's a special occasion and we'll even do a toast."

"Okay," Hannah smiled at her as she went into the kitchen. "Can Blue come out at midnight?" she asked Maddie.

Maddie nodded. "He'd never forgive us if we didn't let him out."

"Can I do it?" Hannah asked her. "Please? I'll be real careful."

"Sure," Maddie said. "He's taken quite a shine to you."

Hannah blushed with pleasure and carefully opened the door to Blue's little cage. "Come on out," she coaxed.

Blue flew out and perched on Hannah's shoulder.

Hannah giggled. "Good boy Blue."

"Eight minutes," Frankie announced.

"I've never stayed up this late before," Hannah told her parents.

"Special occasion," Frankie said. She held up her glass. "I know this is a bit early, but something special happened to me this year. I met this special little girl who has changed my life. I love her so much and I hope that in the New Year, she will be happy and always know that her father and I love her very much. To Hannah!"

"To Hannah!" Maddie, Ethan and Will all echoed.

Hannah smiled. "Thanks, Mummy."

Frankie hugged her tightly. "You're my girl Hannah."

Maddie used her free hand to wipe at her eyes.

"Oh come on, Mads," Ethan put his arm around his wife. "That could be us in a few more years."

"Hopefully," Maddie said with a grin.

"So you're not whisking Maddie away for any midnight surprises this year?" Frankie teased Ethan.

Ethan shook his head. "Not this year."

"He'll take me for a five am twirl in our backyard," Maddie leaned against her husband. "He always has something up his sleeve. Besides, I've got everything I want."

"Twirl?" Will asked with a raised eyebrow.

"It's our thing," Ethan explained.

"I love to twirl," Hannah said.

"It's very fun," Maddie said. "Especially when the snow is falling, or it's raining."

"I've never done that in the snow," Hannah said. She looked at Frankie. "Next time it snows, can we, Mummy?"

"Sure," Frankie told her. "You'll remind me, okay?"

Hannah nodded and giggled as Blue played with her hair.

"Ten seconds!" Will announced.

"Nine, eight, seven," Maddie said starting the countdown.

"Six, five..." Frankie continued.

"Four, three, two," Ethan joined in.

"ONE!" Hannah exclaimed.

"Happy New Year!" Will hugged his daughter to him.

"Happy New Year!" Hannah exclaimed, hugging him back. She grinned over Will's shoulder at her mother. "Happy New Year, Mummy!'

"Happy New Year baby," Frankie smiled at her. "We're going to make this the best year of your life."

Hannah beamed at her as Blue flew around the room.

"Happy New Year," Ethan said softly to his wife. "Our first as a married couple."

"And definitely not our last," Maddie said before giving him a kiss.

"I still think of that first New Year's Eve we spent together," Ethan said. "In the hospital cafeteria..."

"Our first date," Maddie said grinning at him.

He smiled back. "I think I already loved you even then."

Maddie gave him another kiss. "Ethan, you've made me so happy."

"And vice versa," Ethan pushed her hair back. "I'm always happy with you."

"And Blue?" Maddie asked.

"And Blue," Ethan said as the pixie pushed his way between them.

“Hey, Blue,” Maddie said fondly.” Happy New Year.”

Blue made his happy cooing sound before bouncing onto Maddie's shoulder.

Hannah giggled.” He's so cute!”

“Well, Miss Hannah, you are welcome to come over and play with him anytime you like.” Maddie told her.

Hannah beamed at her.” Thanks, Maddie. Did Mummy tell you that you're going to be my godmother?”

“Yes she did,” Maddie smiled at her.” And I’m delighted about it.”

“We want you to be her godfather,” Will told Ethan.

“Really?” Ethan asked.” I’d be honoured.”

“Fantastic mate,” Will smiled at him.

“We're going to have her baptism sometime in the next couple of months,” Frankie explained.

“Just let us know when,” Maddie leaned back against Ethan.

“We will,” Will said as Hannah rested her head on his shoulder. The late night was starting to catch up to her.

“Are you getting sleepy?” Frankie asked her.

With a yawn, Hannah nodded.” But I don’t want to go to bed yet!”

“We'll probably head out soon,” Ethan replied. “We have brunch tomorrow at my parent s' house.”

“Us too,” Frankie said taking Hannah from Will.” I heard your dad was taking Aunt Hermione out for a romantic evening...”

“I don’t know the details,” Ethan shook his head.” And I don’t want to.”

“I think it's sweet that after all these years, they're still like that with each other,” Maddie said.

“I’d like to be like that with you very soon,” Ethan whispered in her ear.

“Ethan,” Maddie giggled.

And it wasn't too much longer before the young newlyweds said goodbye to the Barrons to start their private New Year celebration.

Ethan's parents though were having a tough time. Harry's romantic evening hadn't gotten off on the best foot. Hermione had gone into the office right after Emma's party and hadn't made it home until nearly nine. She was knackered, but told him she wanted to en joy a night out alone.

He'd left her to get ready and came back a few minutes later to find her fast asleep on the bed, still dressed in her work clothes. “Hermione,” Harry prodded her shoulder gently. “Mmm, Samuel, I’ll have that report in just a minute,” she said groggily before turning over.

“I’m not Samuel,” Harry said, slightly annoyed as he began to shake her. Hermione swatted him away. “Two more minutes...”

“Hermione come on, I made reservations for us,” Harry complained. “I practically had to sell my soul for them too.”

Hermione finally opened her eyes and stared blearily up at him. “Harry?”

“Yes, your husband,” he said a bit crossly.

Hermione sat up. “What- - what time is it?”

“Half past nine,” Harry answered.

“Oh,” Hermione said stretching. “I’m sorry. I was up late last night with the heads of the department going over final budget numbers and I think it finally caught up to me.”

“I promise after midnight we’ll come back here and crash,” Harry said. “But we haven’t been alone in weeks...”

Hermione nodded and stood up. “I just need to get ready.”

“No more falling asleep,” Harry said with a smile.

“I promise,” Hermione said shrugging out of her cloak. “What should I wear? Formal?”

“Just something nice,” Harry answered.

“O- Kay,” Hermione said giving him a kiss. “I’ll be quick.”

“Good because we have to be there by ten,” Harry replied.

“No hints?” Hermione asked as she went into their closet.

Harry grinned. “Think... early, early on in our relationship.”

“We’re doubling with Dudley Dursley and that horrible woman he married?” Hermione called out.

“How did you guess?” Harry deadpanned. “I’ve missed him so much...”

“I know you’re really secret b-f-f,” Hermione said as she slipped out of her skirt.

“You’re just too smart for me,” Harry replied. “All those times we argued was just an act. I can't live with out my whale of a cousin.”

“You’re as close as me and Ginny Malfoy,” Hermione said. “ Just the other night, we got together and did each other’s nails!”

“I forgot to tell you, Draco and I went out for a round the other night as well,” Harry said sarcastically. “ He and I are really tight.”

“You’re so much alike,” Hermione said slipping into her black cocktail dress.

“Oh you know it,” Harry peeked inside the closet.

“Can you help me with the zipper?” Hermione asked.

“I’ll help you with more than the zipper,” Harry said with a smirk.

“I thought we had to be there at 10,” Hermione teased.

“We do,” Harry carefully pulled the zip per up. “ So you’ll have to wait until we get back.”

“Back from where?” Hermione asked trying to get him to tell her where they were going.

“Take a guess,” Harry said, running his hands up her sides.

“Hillsdale?” Hermione asked thoughtfully.

“Close,” Harry nudged her ear with his nose.

“Mmm,” Hermione murmured . “ The ballroom?”

“Getting closer...” Harry said.

“The old dance studio?” Hermione tried again.

“It's not at Hillsdale,” Harry said. “ But think somewhere close to it...”

Hermione smiled. “ The Sheldrake?”

“You win,” Harry grinned at her.

“My next guess was going to be the Hillsdale parking lot,” she said impishly.

“I didn’t realise they were taking reservations there,” Harry said saucily.

Hermione laughed. “Well, I suppose the Sheldrake will have to do.”

Harry kissed her. “Come on...”

Hermione held up her hand before dashing into the bathroom to finish her hair and makeup. Not two minutes later, she was ready to go and she struck a dramatic pose. “How’s this?”

“You look gorgeous,” Harry replied.

“You’re not so bad yourself,” Hermione said grabbing her wrap and a bag. “I’m really looking for ward to this. We haven’t gone dancing in ages. And we haven't danced together since Ethan and Maddie's wedding.”

“I know,” Harry answered. “I need more time alone with you.”

“Me too,” Hermione said taking his hand.

“That could be our joint resolution,” Harry said as they prepared to Apparate out. “To spend as much time together as possible this year.”

“I think that's one we can keep,” Hermione said grinning at him.

Harry gave his wife a kiss. “We haven’t been back to the Sheldrake since that summer we went to Hillsdale with Jules and Ethan.” He said.

“I hope it hasn't changed that much,” Hermione said.

“Me too,” Harry said.”

Minutes later they arrived in the lobby as if a car had brought them over. They checked their coats and the host showed them to their table. The dance floor was already packed with couples of all ages. “I remember being up on that stage with you,” Hermione whispered to her husband.

“You were so nervous,” Harry said.

“I was completely bloody terrified,” Hermione laughed. “But what I remember most is you being so sweet to me backstage.”

“Well, I had to make you comfortable,” Harry said. “And I didn't want you to throw up on me.”

Hermione threw her head back and laughed even harder. “You were amazing that night Harry James.”

“Are you talking about that night on stage or that night when you came back to my cabin?” Harry asked with a grin.

“Both,” she said, her eyes softening.

He reached across the tab le for her hand. “I’m glad you came to me that night.”

“Wild hippogriffs couldn't have kept me away,” Hermione answered. A waiter brought over some champagne.

“We didn't have this the last time we were here,” Hermione whispered.

“You’d have thrown it up,” Harry teased.

Hermione stuck her tongue out at him. “I wouldn't- -”

“You might have,” Harry joked.

“Need I remind you that I can hold my drink a lot better than you,” Hermione said smugly.

“If you say so,” Harry replied.

“Well, there was that one time,” Hermione said blushing. “But I think it's because I hadn't eaten that much that day...”

Harry raised his glass. “To my beautiful wife,” he said softly. “Who has given me the best life and three amazing children.”

Hermione picked up her glass too. “ And to my handsome husband who taught me that there's more to life than just books and clever ness.” He touched his glass to hers and took a sip before leaning in to kiss her. Hermione felt light headed when they pulled apart. “ You really are great at that.”

“So are you,” Harry said. “ If only the public knew what a great kisser the Minister really is... but that's only for me to know.”

“Only you,” Hermione said. She looked out at the dance floor. “Want to chance it?

“I think a couple old fogeys like us can handle a spin or two,” Harry grinned.

“Or at least a tango,” Hermione said feeling a sudden burst of energy.

“I like that idea,” Harry replied.

Hermione led the way out on to the floor and they found an empty spot. “ Bit crowded.”

“That’s why I had a bit of trouble getting a reservation,” Harry put his arms around her. Since the Sheldrake was a Muggle hotel and resort, Hermione understood why simply saying who he was, wasn't going to guarantee a reservation. But one of the great things about Harry was that he very rarely used his name to get what he wanted. “This really is perfect.”

“Only because I’m here with you,” Harry touched his forehead to hers.

“Harry?”

“Yeah?” He answered.

“Did you ever... bring Isabella here?” Hermione asked.

“Isabella?” Harry asked. “ What made you think of her?”

Hermione shrugged. “ Just curious...”

“No,” he answered. “ I never brought Isabella here. I only danced here with Cho... and then you.”

“Oh,” Hermione smiled. She moved closer to her husband. Harry closed his eyes as she rested her head on his shoulder. “This is exactly where I want to be,” he said quietly.

“Me too,” Hermione said dreamily.

“I love you so much,” Harry continued to turn them around in a slow circle. “ Sometimes when I’m at work and I have a slow moment I sit back and think about you, Jules... Ethan... Saffy...”

***

Hermione felt the same way. She thought back to the time when Harry was trying to teach four year old Saffron how to dance. It had been a rainy summer day and Ethan was excited about starting Hogwarts and Julie had stopped by for lunch. The whole family had gone down to the ballroom which had quickly turned into Saffron's favourite place to play.

“Ethan want to race?” Saffron asked her brother.

“No,” Ethan answered. “Jules, tell me again about how cool Hagrid is?”

Saffron glared at him. “You know who's not cool? You!”

“Ouch,” Ethan replied sarcastically.

“Big stupid head,” Saffron said stalking away.

“It wouldn't hurt you to run around the ballroom with her,” Julie told her brother.

“I don’t want to though,” Ethan complained.

“Come here, Saffy,” Harry said holding his arms out to her. “ I’ll play with you.”

“Daddy I don’t like Ethan anymore,” Saffron glared at her big brother.

“You don’t?” Harry asked picking her up.

Saffron shook her head and buried her face in her father’s shoulder. “I love you, Mummy, Greta and Julie and Nick, but not Ethan!” Saffron muffled into her father’s shoulder.

“Ethan go play with her,” Julie said softly. “Come on, you know how much she idolises you.”

“Yeah, what happened to the little man who used to guard her nursery?” Hermione asked.

“He got older,” Ethan replied. “All right fine, one race and that's it.”

Saffron practically jumped out of her father’s arms. “Okay, but I bet I beat you!” She exclaimed grinning at him. “I’m super fast!”

Ethan had to smile at how fast his baby sister could bounce back. “No way,” he replied. “I’m way faster than you Saffron Grace.”

Saffron shook her head. “No way!” She looked at her father. “Time us, Daddy!”

“Okay,” Harry held up his watch. “ Ready... set... go!”

Saffron took off as fast as she could. The look of determination on her face was so much like Hermione that Harry had to grin. She was determined to beat her big brother. Ethan knew how easily he could beat his sister but instead, he kept his pace slower and lagged behind just a tiny bit.

Saffron reached her father first and beamed up at him. “I won! Daddy! I beat Ethan!”

“You did baby,” Harry swung her up. “Good job!”

“You'd better not tell anyone,” Ethan said tugging on his little sister's leg.

Saffron gave him a huge grin. “Our secret.”

Ethan laughed. “Way to go, Saf.”

“Shall we do a victory dance?” Harry asked his youngest.

“Okay Daddy,” Saffron agreed. “Mummy watch!”

“Okay,” Hermione said grinning at her. “Me, Julie and Ethan will watch.”

Harry gingerly set Saffron down. “ Step up on my feet, baby.”

Saffron did as her father said. “ Now what, Daddy?”

Harry took her small hands in his. “ Just hang on, sweetheart.” Hermione grinned as Harry began to take Saffron around in a circle.

“This is fun!” The little girl exclaimed.

“I used to do this with your sister,” Harry told her.

“With Jules?” Saffron looked over with wide eyes.

Julie nodded. “And he never got tired.”

“Saffy loves doing anything her father does,” Hermione said wryly. “ And that includes flying.”

“It's about time Dad had a little girl who liked to do that as much as him,” Julie said. “ Me, I like my feet firmly on the ground.”

“You’re just like me,” Hermione put an arm around her daughter. “ I’m so glad you came by Julie. I’ve missed you.”

“Me too, Mum,” Julie said. “I’ve missed hanging out with you guys, too.”

“What's Nick up to?” Hermione asked as they sat down.

“Writing some new material for the next album,” Julie replied.

“Greta wants you two over for dinner sometime this week,” Hermione said as Harry dipped Saffron back, making her shriek with laughter. “ She promised to make all your favourites if you do.”

“We'd love to come,” Julie said. She grinned at her little sister as she danced by with Harry. “She’s growing up so fast.”

“Too fast,” Hermione sighed. “ I feel as if I don’t get enough time to spend with her and Ethan, and now he’s going off to school. I don’t know what I’ll do when Saffy turns 11.”

“Batten down the hatches,” Julie teased.

“Dad said he's never letting Saffron date,” Ethan chimed in.

“Don’t worry, Daddy,” Saffron said gazing adoringly up at him. “I’m never gonna date!”

Harry laughed. “I can't tell you how pleased I am to hear that.”

“I’m going to stay with you and Mummy always and forever and a day,” Saffron said simply.

“You sure can stay forever and a day,” Harry dipped her back again.

Saffron giggled in delight. “You’re the bestest, Daddy!”

“No you’re the bestest,” Harry picked her up and tickled her.

“Come on, little man,” Julie said to her brother. “Dance with your big sister or I’ll tell Maddie Weasley you fancy her.”

“Don’t you dare,” Ethan scowled at her.

“Dance with me then,” Julie said holding out her hand.

“Fine,” Ethan rolled his eyes.

“You’re such a little ladies man,” Julie said laughing. “It's not like I’m leading you to your death, Ethan.”

“I don’t like dancing, “ Ethan replied.

“You used to love dancing with me when you were little,” Hermione told him.

“Mum, I was like three and had no choice,” Ethan said rolling his eyes again.

“No choice?” Hermione asked. “You always came up and asked me to dance.”

Ethan's cheeks turned bright red. “I didn't,” he grumbled.

“You asked Maddie to dance at my wedding,” Julie reminded him. “ And you two were having so much fun doing the cha-cha.”

“I thought we agreed we'd never, ever talk about that again,” Ethan hissed at his sister.

It was Julie's turn to roll her eyes. “Ethan get over yourself.”

“Yeah,” Saffron chimed in. “Get over yourself, Ethan!”

“Shut up Saffron,” Ethan replied.

“Ethan,” Hermione warned.

“Sorry,” Ethan muttered.

“Dancing is fun,” Saffron said. She looked up at her father. “Do your feet hurt, Daddy?”

“Not one bit baby,” Harry answered.

Saffron beamed up at him. “ Can we go around again?”

“Of course,” Harry said. “ Anything my Saffy wants, she gets.”

“Really?” Saffron asked innocently. “ Because Saffy really, really wants a puppy!”

Harry laughed. “ You can get a puppy when you’re big enough to take care of it on your own.”

“I’m big nuff,” Saffron said indignantly.

“I know of dogs bigger than you,” Harry picked her up again. “ And when you’re bigger, you can have a dog. But not right now.”

“Can I get a cat?” Saffron asked.

“No,” Harry replied.

“Hamster?” Saffron asked.

“Saffron Grace,” Harry said warningly. “You are four years old. Taking care of you is enough.”

“I’m very smart for my age,” Saffron argued. “Mummy says...”

“You are very, very smart,” Harry replied. “But you’re not getting a pet. Case closed.”

“Goldfish?” Saffron asked.

“We have an aquarium downstairs already,” Hermione pointed out.

Saffron stamped her little foot. “I want a puppy.”

“Ow!” Harry yelped. “ Saffy!”

Saffron pushed her lower lip out.

“This house is too big for a puppy,” Julie tried to help her parents out. “Saffy, what if the dog got lost or something?”

“Give it up, Saf,” Ethan told her. “I’ve tried for years to get them to let us have a dog. It’s not gonna work. Not even you will get them to change their minds...”

“I still want one,” Saffron's eyebrows were knit together.

“May be a few years down the road,” Harry told her. “But that's it for now, Saffy.”

Saffron crossed her arms.

“She’s definitely your daughter,” Harry said to Hermione.

“Not all that stubbornness is from me,” Hermione told him. “I think there's some of you in there as well.”

“Dad says we get all our stubbornness from you,” Ethan said to his mother.

“Oh he does?” Hermione raised an eyebrow.

“I didn't say ‘all’,” Harry said hastily.

“Yeah you did,” Ethan said. “ You said that Mum was the most --”

“Gorgeous, amazing, smartest woman I’ve ever met,” Harry covered with a grin.

“Uh - huh,” Hermione said folding her arms. “Ethan why don’t you finish telling me what your father said?”

“I think I hear the phone ringing,” Ethan began to back away.

“I might have said that you were stubborn, but I meant it in the best possible way,” Harry explained.

“I’m sure you did,” Hermione gave her husband an icy look.

“Saffron, would you mind terribly if I danced with your mum?” Harry asked looking down at his little girl who was still pouting about the puppy.

“No,” Saffron's arms were still crossed and she turned away.

“Come here,” Julie said to her little sister. “You can tell me about how unfair it is...”

“Okay,” Saffron was eager for a sympathetic ear.

Harry walked over to his wife. “So, you want to dance with your husband? Every now and then I stick my foot in my mouth like Ron, but I didn’t mean any harm, Hermione.”

Hermione shook her head. “Sometimes you’re too much like Ron.”

Harry put his hand to his chest. “Surely, I’m not that bad?”

The corner of her mouth turned up. “Maybe not that bad...”

“You still love me?” Harry asked.

“Always,” she answered.

Harry pulled her close. “ I love you, Hermione Jane.”

“I love you Harry James,” she said softly.

***

Hermione smiled up at her husband. “That was a fun day...all of us together like that.”

“Yeah it was,” he answered. “I miss when Saffy was that young.”

“She finally did get her puppy,” Hermione said.

“Puddles,” Harry chuckled. “That dog is too funny. But she does take good care of him.”

“She does,” Hermione agreed. “ And it's nice to have him around when you’re out trying to save the world. The house doesn't seem so empty.”

Harry grinned at her before dipping her back. “Saving the world so you can rule it?”

“That sounds about right,” Hermione said smiling at him. She did love it when he did that.

“Let's try to go out dancing at least twice a month,” Harry said. “We'll go out to some Muggle place where no one knows us...”

“That sounds perfect,” Hermione said. “No one will bother us and we’ll just be another ordinary couple.”

“Exactly,” Harry kissed her again before leading her back to their table. Their food arrived shortly after.

Harry poured her some more champagne. “Almost midnight,” he said softly.

“It’s going to be a good year,” Hermione said optimistically. “All three of our children are healthy and happy as are our grandchildren and my mum seems to be doing much better.”

“She’s going to keep getting better and better,” Harry nodded.

“Having the live-in nurse has helped so much,” Hermione said softly. “It’s nice to know someone's with her all the time now.”

“Exactly,” Harry nodded.

Hermione reached for his hand and noticed that she had the most gorgeous bracelet she'd ever seen on her wrist and she had no idea how it had gotten there. It was sterling silver with emeralds that reminded her of her husband's eyes. “Harry--”

“Surprise,” he grinned at her.

Hermione grinned back. “It’s gorgeous!”

“It reminded me of you,” Harry wove their fingers together.

“You shouldn't have,” Hermione said softly.

“Of course I should have,” Harry answered. “You get nothing less than the best.”

Hermione leaned across the table and gave him a kiss. “I have that with you.”

“And I have it with you,” Harry pressed his lips to hers.

“Merlin I love you so much.” Hermione never got tired of hearing him say that to her and she felt much like the young girl who had stood on that stage all those years ago.

“What are you thinking about?” He asked.

Hermione smiled. “Our first night here.”

“When you almost threw up on me,” Harry joked again. “Come on, I want to be dancing with you when the clock strikes midnight.”

“Okay,” Hermione said eagerly getting to her feet. Once they were out on the floor again he pulled her close. “I also want to be kissing you at midnight,” he said softly.

“I’ll have to ask my husband first,” Hermione said smiling up at him.

“No fair,” Harry grinned. “Why are the good ones always taken?”

“I was just thinking the same thing about you,” Hermione said laughing. “You know, I heard that you were married...”

Harry nodded. “To this incredible woman, actually.”

“Really?” Hermione asked as she rested her head on her husband's chest.

“She's smart,” Harry said softly. “And she's powerful, and the most breathtaking woman I’ve ever seen.”

Hermione smiled. “And she happens to love you a lot.”

“And how do you know that?” Harry asked with a grin.

“She told me so,” Hermione replied.

“One minute to the New Year!” Someone called out.

“So you think she’ll let me kiss her senseless in one minute?” Harry asked, pulling her even closer.

“She isn't sure if she'll make it that long,” Hermione said huskily.

“I might have to do something about that then,” he said, leaning in so his lips were just brushing hers.

“Ten... nine...eight...seven... six... five....” they heard someone counting down. Harry couldn't wait any longer either and crashed his lips down on his wife's.

“Four...three... two....one,” the countdown finished as confetti and balloons rained down on the guests but Hermione didn’t even see it. Her eyes were closed as she melted into her husband.

“My favourite way to spend the very first moments of the year,” Harry said with a grin when they finally pulled apart.

“Mine too,” Hermione said dreamily. “Now aren't you glad you stayed awake for this?” He teased her.

“I am,” Hermione said nuzzling his neck. “But, I really...really want to go to bed now...”

“And?” He asked huskily.

“Not get some sleep,” Hermione said nibbling at his ear. He grinned. “I rather like that idea Mrs. Potter.”

“So, you want to take a bottle of champagne home with us and get out of here?” Hermione asked.

“I love the way you think,” Harry said licentiously. Hermione took his hand and they worked their way through the crowd.

They got another bottle of champagne from the bar and after receiving their wraps, headed outside to Apparate home. They could hear the faint sound of music coming from the ballroom and Hermione knew their daughter was entertaining her friends. She giggled as Harry picked her up and started for the stairs.

“Harry!”

“We don’t want them to catch us,” Harry replied.

“Sneaking around,” Hermione said. “This really is like that night at the Sheldrake...”

Harry laughed as he locked their bedroom door behind him. “Only now we’re trying not to let our daughter catch us instead of your father.”

“We'd scar her for life,” Hermione said. “ Especially with what I’m going to do to you...” And with that she pushed him down on the bed.

“Oooh,” Harry replied. “ I can’t wait for that.”

“You just lay back,” Hermione purred.

“As you wish,” Harry said, his green eyes darkening. Hermione smiled seductively at him as she kicked off her shoes. “ Get down here already,” Harry loosened his tie.

Hermione shook her head. “ Not yet...” Harry threw his tie on to the floor and began unbuttoning his shirt. Hermione shimmied out of her tights and threw them behind her as she did a little dance for her husband.

Harry clenched his teeth together. “ I’m not going to hold out much longer,” he said in a strained voice.

“Behave,” she purred putting a finger to her lips.

“I’m trying,” he whined. Hermione pulled one of the straps of her dress down and with her other hand slowly undid the zipper.

Harry licked his lips. “ Quit teasing me...”

Hermione smiled demurely at him. “ Am I teasing you? “

“Damn right you are,” Harry answered.

“That certainly wasn't my intention,” she said as she slid out of her dress.

“Well then get down here,” Harry replied.

“Down where?” She asked innocently as he reached for her.

“You know where,” Harry said softly.

“Here?” Hermione asked as she sat down on the bed.

“Up just a little more,” Harry said, pushing down his trousers.

“Mmm?” Hermione asked leaning in. “Here perhaps?”

Harry groaned as Hermione pushed her body on top of his.

“I think I’ve hit the spot,” Hermione whispered.

“You’ve more than hit the spot...” Harry said, pulling her down. Hermione pressed her lips to his. The teasing was most definitely over now. She pushed his trousers the rest of the way down and Harry took the opportunity to position her body exactly where he wanted it.

“Happy New Year,” Hermione whispered in his ear.

“To you too,” Harry replied.

“I need you,” she said in a weak voice. “Now...”

Harry arched his body and was inside her a second later. “Harry,” Hermione breathed.

This is what he'd been waiting for all night. “Yeah...” he managed.

“I love you,” she whispered. He tucked her hair behind her ear.

“Love you,” he said as she began to move her body up and down on top of his.

“Harry,” Hermione said brushing her lips against his as he pressed her even closer.

“This just gets better and better...” he said.

“And better,” Hermione whispered as he gripped her hips. Harry clenched his teeth again as his wife pushed down on him. Their naked bodies gleamed with a thin sheen of sweat. Hermione buried her face in Harry's shoulder to muffle her release.

“We don’t need to be quiet,” he said, not bothering to keep his voice down.

“Oh,” Hermione said blushing. “I guess I was taking the whole first night thing a little too literally...”

“It's okay,” Harry chuckled.

“I promise that when we wake up tomorrow, I won't sneak out and go back to my own cabin,” she said cuddling up to him.

“We’ll get to sleep in a little,” Harry held her close. “I love falling asleep with you like this.”

“Naked?” Hermione asked with a grin.

“Our door is locked,” Harry said saucily.

“I don’t mind, if you don’t,” Hermione said laughing.

“Not one bit,” Harry leaned in and kissed her. She rested her head on his chest and he ran his fingers through her hair.

“Thank you for tonight.”

“I’d do anything to keep you happy Hermione,” Harry stroked her hair with his free hand. “Tired now?”

“Especially after what we just did,” she replied closing her eyes.

“You've made me knackered too,” Harry kissed her forehead. “And we never even had to use our champagne.”

“We can use it later,” Hermione said already drifting off.

“Good idea,” Harry’s eyes closed as well.

154. 154- Nick and Julie interview!!

AN: Well you guys were clamouring for Saffron, Alexa, Andrew and Gabe’s New Year’s Eve celebration, and we just couldn’t disappoint ;) Plus… you also see what RJ was up to…

Nick and Julie’s interview is at the end of the chapter, and due to Thanksgiving here in the states next week and a crazy schedule; we aren’t going to be doing an interview next Saturday night. But in two weeks we WILL resume it with Seamus and Lavender, as a few of you asked!

Hope you all enjoy this, and as always, PLEASE review!!!

Across the house, Saffron’s little party had been going full swing already for a few hours. “One hour until midnight,” she announced to her friends.

“Lex, this fudge is amazing,” Gabriel said popping another piece into his mouth. “I can’t believe you’re not having any...”

“I’ve had so much these past few days,” Alexa shook her head. “I don’t think I could handle any more of it.”

“I can,” Andrew said picking up a piece.

Saffron grinned at him. “You’ve eaten more than anyone el se.”

“I haven’t,” Andrew said defensively. “Besides, no one can beat RJ's record. Remember last New Year when he ate all that- - -” Saffron stomped down on his foot. “Sorry,” Andrew said quietly.

“What... what's he doing tonight?” Alexa asked uncomfortably.

“Quiet night in,” Andrew replied. “He was going to develop those pictures from Em’s party.”

“Sure,” Saffron muttered. “Come on you guys, I know it's only the four of us, but let’s dance.”

Alexa walked over to the stereo to turn up the volume. Saffron turned to her boyfriend with a smile. “Let's go over here,” she tugged on his hands.

“Whatever you say,” Andrew said grinning at her.

Alexa blushed when she saw her friends had gone off to the side leaving her and Gabriel alone. And even though this wasn't a date, it somehow seemed like one.

“Great song,” Gabriel said conversationally.

Alexa nodded. “One of my favourites actually.”

Gabriel nodded and searched his brain for something to say. It didn’t help that Andrew and Saffron were a few feet away snogging. “So,” he said with a cough.

“What are your new classes going to be when you go back to California?” Alexa asked, not sure of what else she could say.

“I just registered yesterday actually,” Gabriel replied. “I have Biochem II, statistics, Western Civilization... and that's just on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.”

“Wow,” Alexa shook her head. “You’re so busy Gabe. I don’t know how you handle it all.”

“Me either, to tell you the truth,” Gabriel said.

“I just think its lovely that you’re going to be a doctor,” Alexa told him.

“Thanks,” Gabriel said smiling at her. Alexa rolled her eyes at Saffron and Andrew who didn’t seem to realise they weren’t alone in the room. Gabriel chuckled. “Some host she is, eh?”

“I guess I can’t blame her,” Alexa replied. “She’s not going to see him for a few months after a few more days.”

“If anyone could make distance work it'd be those two,” Gabriel said motioning toward his cousin and Andrew.

Alexa nodded, a bit sadly. “He really loves her.”

Gabriel looked sympathetically at her. “I’m sorry...”

“It's okay,” Alexa said. “I shouldn't be thinking about him. I’m sure he's not thinking about me.”

“I’m nowhere near his biggest fan,” Gabriel said. “But I saw how he was looking at you, Lexie. He still cares about you. “

Alexa shrugged. “I don’t want to talk about RJ.”

“Me either,” Gabriel said. He picked up his napkin and balled it up. He was about to aim for the trash can when he looked over at Alexa with a gleam in his eye. “Do you think I can make it?”

“Probably,” Alexa said with a grin.

“I’ll close my eyes,” Gabriel said confidently.

“I bet you’ll still make it,” she laughed.

Gabriel grinned. “How about we play Horse?”

Alexa stared at him. “I beg your pardon?”

“Get your mind out of the gutter, O’Leary,” Gabriel said with a laugh. “It's a game that you usually play with a basket ball, but since we don’t have one...” His voice trailed off as he looked for something they could use. He found it in one of Puddles’s toys --a rubber ball. “We'll use this....”

“Okay...” Alexa raised an eyebrow.

“We both take turns trying to make a shot from different places on the floor,” Gabriel explained. “If you shoot it and I miss it, you get an h... and you keep going like that. The first per son who gets h-o-r-s-e wins. You game?”

“You’re going to win,” Alexa shook her head. “I’m so awful at sport, Gabe.”

“You don’t give your self enough credit,” Gabriel told her. “Okay, I’ll spot you two letters. You can go ahead and have h-o...”

“Did you just call me a ho?” Alexa asked with mock indignation.

“What?” Gabriel was flustered. “No Lex- it's just the letters, the H and the O...”

“Kidding,” Alexa said nudging him.

“Funny,” Gabriel smirked.

Gabriel moved the trash can back toward the wall and he threw the rubber ball at Alexa who caught it. “Ladies first.”

Alexa tried to be enthusiastic. “All right,” she replied, aiming the rubber ball for the can. To her astonishment, it actually went in and she threw up her fist in triumph.

“Trying to hustle me again, are you?” Gabriel asked retrieving the ball.

“No,” Alexa replied. “Beginner’s luck.”

Gabriel shook his head as he stood in the same spot Alexa had and took his shot.

“See?” Alexa said as the ball went cleanly in. “You’re doing good too.”

Gabriel shrugged. “Beginner’s luck.”

“You’re good at sport, I’m not.” Alexa said, moving to where he showed her.

“You keep saying that, but you certainly take to it quickly enough,” Gabriel said.

Alexa shook her head as she threw the ball again. This time it bounced off the side and across the room. “You jinxed me.”

Gabriel laughed. “It was either that or talk trash...”

“Nice pun,” she said, giggling despite herself. Gabriel grinned and ran after the ball.

He came back and expertly made his shot. “That's an O for me.”

“You’re already catching up,” Alexa replied.

“You're still in with a chance,” Gabriel said. “But I should confess that Nico and I have played this about a billion times so I guess in the game of Horse, I am a professional.”

“Great,” Alexa shook her head but grinned. “I’m totally screwed.”

“I spotted you two letters,” Gabriel said.

Alexa took the ball again. “Thank goodness you did.”

“What are you lot doing?” Saffron asked.

“Playing horse,” Gabriel answered. “Did you decide to take a breath and join us?”

“We did,” Saffron said with a grin.

“Lexie's about to take her next shot,” Gabriel told them.

“You're playing horse?” Saffron looked confused. “I’ve never heard of that.”

Gabriel quickly outlined the rules for her. “It's more fun with a basketball, but we improvised.”

“I see,” Saffron said as Puddles ran over and yelped at her. “What is it baby?”

“I think he wants his ball back,” Alexa said.

“Can they finish their game first?” Saffron picked her dog up. “You've gotten so fat,” she complained.

“Saffy,” Alexa giggled. “That’s mean.”

“He is fat now,” Saffron said. “I think my mum’s been overfeeding him.”

“More of him to love,” Alexa said as she took her shot.

“I suppose you’re right,” Saffron said. “I do love my baby.”

“Yes!” Alexa exclaimed as her shot went in.

Gabriel looked at his cousin. “Why do I have the feeling that Lexie's just fooled me again?”

Saffron laughed. “She's really terrible at sport, Gabe.”

“You'd lie for her in a second,” he replied as Andrew came over by his girlfriend.

“Half hour,” he reported.

Saffron scratched behind Puddles ears. “Did you hear that baby, thirty minutes until the New Year!”

Puddles licked her cheek and then twisted around to get down. “Puddles!” Saffron said as he scrambled out of her arms.

“I think he wants to run around,” Andrew put his arm around her.

Saffron leaned against him. “He likes this room just as much as I do.”

“Shall we go get some dress up clothes?” Andrew teased. “And pretend this is your castle?”

Saffron elbowed him in the ribs. “Very funny...”

“You only have the E left,” Gabriel told Alexa. “I still have an S and an E.”

Alexa nodded as she took her place. “If I get this and you miss it, I win, right?”

“Right,” Gabriel grinned at her.

“Come on, Lex!” Saffron cheered. “You can do it!” Alexa concentrated and threw the ball towards the can again. It bounced off the wall and at first she thought all hope was lost. But to her amazement, the ball somehow found its way inside the can.

“Whoa!” Saffron said in awe. “Good job Lex,” Andrew grinned at her.

“O’Leary has game,” Gabriel said retrieving the ball. “What?”

Alexa looked at him strangely. “You Americans have a really odd way of saying things.”

Gabriel laughed. “It's a good thing, Lex.”

“If you say so,” she tossed the ball to Puddles, who eagerly grabbed it up in his mouth.

“Hang on,” Gabriel said. “You haven’t won yet, Lexie. I have one more shot...”

“But I thought whoever got to Horse first won,” Alexa was confused.

“You haven't gotten it yet,” Gabriel said. “You get the letter only if I miss my shot.”

“Sorry,” Alexa blushed as Saffron retrieved the ball for them.

“Okay,” Saffron said throwing it to Gabriel. “Here you go, cousin.”

“Thanks,” Gabriel made a face. “It's all sticky.”

“It is his ball,” Saffron said grinning at him.

“Quit talking and shoot it in, Boyd,” Andrew joked.

“Okay, okay,” Gabriel said, a look of total concentration on his face.

“He shoots...” Saffron said dramatically.

The ball missed the can by just a couple of inches and Gabriel's jaw dropped.

“... and doesn’t score,” Saffron finished. “Would that be what you Yanks call an air ball?”

“Something like that,” Gabriel made a face. “Lexie, you win again.”

“And you didn’t miss on purpose?” Alexa asked him with a raised eyebrow.

“No way,” Gabriel answered.

“Way to go, Lexie!” Saffron exclaimed clapping her friend on the back. “Did you win anything?”

“No, it was just a friendly game.” Alexa said as Puddles tried to push the can over to get his ball back. Gabriel caught the can right before Puddles knocked it over and grabbed the ball. He threw it and Puddles took off after it.

“Tire him out,” Saffron grinned. “I’d appreciate it.”

Gabriel laughed while Puddles ran back toward him. “I think he's not going to let me quit now...”

“Not a chance,” Saffron replied. Alexa noticed that they were out of soda and she and Saffron decided to go upstairs and get some more.

“You having fun, Lex?” Saffron asked her best friend.

“Yeah,” she nodded. “Gabe's such a great guy Saffy.”

“He is,” Saffron agreed. “And you must know he's completely crazy about you.”

Alexa blushed. “I’m not ready to date anyone else yet.”

“I know,” Saffron said quickly. “I was just making sure you knew...”

“I knew,” Alexa answered. “I knew back over summer hols. “

“Danielle Weasley still fancies him too,” Saffron said. “Do you know I haven’t spoken that much to her over the years, but she apparently found out Gabe was at Emma’s party and she was mad that she didn’t go.”

“Why didn’t they come?” Alexa asked as they gathered some more sodas from the icebox.

“Bill had to work and Fleur was sick,” Saffron explained. “But Danielle said she didn’t think a party with three - year olds would be her idea of a good time. Until Bill phoned Jon’s house to wish Emma a happy birthday and Em told him Gabey had been there just for her....”

Alexa rolled her eyes. “She didn’t like that I caught the bouquet.”

Saffron grabbed a bag of crisps. “Well, Dani’s pretty harmless...a bit shallow, but harmless just the same. And I don’t think you have anything to worry about where Gabe's concerned. He doesn't fancy her...”

“I don’t care about that,” Alexa said, a bit too quickly.

“I know,” Saffron said. “But I’m glad to see you having a good time again, Lexie. RJ's not worth your tears.”

“He confuses me so much,” Alexa said as they headed back to the ballroom. “I mean, he breaks up with me then today acts all jealous when he sees me with Gabe and he kisses me. It’s not like he's under a spell again, like that time with Christina. But he acts as if he never knows what he wants.”

“He's such a hypocrite,” Saffron said shaking her head. “It's okay for him to shag that...thing...but you can’t even play an innocent game of billiards. He needs to get over himself, Lexie.”

“I guess,” Alexa didn't want to talk about RJ anymore. “So are you and Andrew going to disappear at midnight?”

Saffron looked innocently at her. “We would never do that! “

Alexa gave her a look.

“You know me too well,” Saffron giggled.

The girls entered the ballroom again to see Andrew and Gabriel teasing Puddles with the rubber ball. “Quit torturing my dog!” Saffron said to them.

“He likes it,” Andrew said throwing the ball to Gabriel.

“That's not his happy bark,” Saffron set her sodas down on a table.

“He has a happy bark?” Gabriel asked staring at her.

“Yes,” Saffron said primly. “He does.”

“I thought a bark was a bark,” Gabriel asked opening up his can of soda.

“Obviously you don’t know a lot about dogs then,” Saffron replied. “I wish we could have champagne. I tried to get my parents to let us have some but they wouldn't.”

“You just want to get me pissed so you can have your way with me,” Andrew said putting his arm around her.

“I don’t need you to be pissed for that,” Saffron grinned at him before giving him a kiss.

“Two minutes,” Alexa told Gabriel. “Do you have any resolutions?”

“I’m not sure,” Gabriel replied thoughtfully. “Just to try and be the best in everything I do, I suppose.”

“I don’t imagine you’ll have much trouble keeping that one,” Alexa told him.

“Wonder what their resolution is,” Gabriel nudged her as he looked in the direction of Andrew and Saffron who had moved away to snog again. “To come up for air once?”

Alexa giggled. “How did you know?”

“Lucky guess,” Gabriel said dryly.

She was so pretty when she laughed. “Mine is to have more confidence,” Alexa admitted.

“You have plenty of that,” Gabriel said as they sat down next to each other.

Alexa blushed. “No, I don't.”

“I think you do,” Gabriel said honestly. “I think you just need to realise it. You’re smart, pretty, loyal and one of the nicest people I’ve ever met.”

“Gabe,” Alexa said softly.

“It's true,” he said softly. He unconsciously moved closer to her. On the Wireless, she heard the countdown start to the New Year. And she didn’t know how or why, but she found herself leaning in.

“Lexie,” he said quietly. “Are you sure you want to- -” his words were cut off as she pressed her lips to his.

It was quite different to kiss someone other than RJ and for a brief moment, she felt guilty. But, then again, he had broken things off with her. And she was free and clear to do what she wanted. And she did like Gabriel very much and they always had such a great time together. Kissing him now felt right. He let his eyes close as he pulled her closer.

Alexa broke away for a moment to catch her breath. She met his gaze. “Um, I-I kissed you...”

“Yeah,” Gabriel said dazedly. “It was really... um...I liked it.”

Alexa gave him a slight smile. “I guess I kind of got caught up in the moment...”

His smile faltered a bit. “So that’s why you- - ?”

“No,” Alexa said hastily. “Yes...I… I don’t know...everything's so mixed up right now, Gabe.”

“Right,” he said. “It's probably too soon for you to jump into another relationship and all that.”

“It wouldn't be fair to you,” Alexa said. “But I do like you, Gabe. And maybe we can just keep getting to know each other.”

“That sounds good to me,” his smile was more genuine this time and he reached for her hand. “You’ve become a really good friend Lexie. I’m glad we stayed friends.”

“Me too,” Alexa said relieved that he wasn't angry with her.

He hugged her. “Happy New Year.”

“Happy New Year,” Alexa said holding on to him. Across the room, Andrew and Saffron were too busy snogging heatedly to notice anything else going on around them.

“Saffy,” Andrew said in between kisses. “It's... the... New... Year...”

“We were doing this exact same thing last year,” she ran her fingers through his dark hair. “Right at this moment we were snogging... just like this...”

“How could I forget?” Andrew asked, his hand going underneath her jumper.

“That's right where I want your hands to be,” she breathed.
“Really?” Andrew asked as he moved his hand even higher. “Because I thought you liked them... here.”

“Oooh I think you’re right,” Saffron’s eyes were half closed. Andrew grinned before leaning in and nuzzling her neck.

“I don’t know how I’m going to live with out this until June,” she whispered.

“Hey, we still have Hogsmeade weekends,” Andrew reassured her.

“But we can't sneak off to do... this...”she said softly.

“Who says?” Andrew asked. “We can find a special, private place, Saf.”

She smiled at him and pushed his hair out of his eyes. “Promise?”

“Promise,” he said resting his forehead on hers.

“I love you so much, Andrew Kirke,” Saffron pressed her lips to his.

“I love you too,” Andrew said softly.

“I hope things always stay this way,” Saffron kissed him again.

“They’re going to get even better,” Andrew said smiling at her. They kissed for a few more minutes.

“We shouldn't leave Alexa and Gabe alone like this,” she said regretfully. Andrew looked over her shoulder to get a look at Alexa and Gabriel who were sitting close and to his surprise were... holding hands.

“Um...” Saffron glanced over as well. “Whoa...”

“Happy New Year, guys,” Andrew said as he and Saffron walked over to join them.

Alexa blushed and pulled her hand out of Gabriel’s. “You both too.”

“You decided to come up for air then?” Gabriel asked teasingly to his cousin.

“Something like that,” she retorted with a grin.

“Think your parents are home yet?” Alexa asked trying to ignore the look her best friend was giving her.

“I don’t know,” Saffron answered. “Dad took Mum to this old hotel where they danced together when they first met, so they may be out all night.”

Alexa nodded. “I wonder what Beth and Meems are doing tonight.”

“Probably wishing they were with Professor Wood,” Saffron rolled her eyes.

“They have gotten better,” Alexa said in their defence. “Jake certainly helped...”

“A little,” Saffron replied, snuggling against Andrew.

“You know as happy as I am that it's the New Year, I dread the fact that in just a few days I’ll be back in a class room,” Gabriel said with a groan.

“Me too,” Saffron agreed. “I wish you both were in school with us.”

Gabriel laughed. “That’d be something else. “

“You'd like Hogwarts,” Alexa told him.

“For obvious reasons,” Saffron said with a pointed look at Alexa. Alexa wanted to kick her best friend.

“Um, I think I’m going to get another drink,” Gabriel said getting to his feet.

“I’ll go with you,” Andrew offered. “I’m thirsty too.”

“Get me one too, baby,” Saffron said to her boyfriend. “Please.”

“Sure,” Andrew squeezed her hand. Once they were alone, Alexa bent down and picked up Puddles.

“You two were holding hands,” Saffron said. “What's up?”

“Nothing,” Alexa lied.

“Oh come on Lexie,” Saffron pleaded. “Don’t hold out on me!”

“I may have... sort of...kind of... kissed him,” Alexa admitted.

“You WHAT?” Saffron shrieked.

“Shhhh!” Alexa hissed. “Saffy!”

“Sorry,” the brunette apologised. “Lex YOU kissed him though?”

Alexa nodded. “Yeah.... we were just chatting and he said the sweetest things to me and I just... did it.”

Saffron smiled at her. “So does this mean you two are getting together?”

“I don’t know,” Alexa said. “It's too soon after RJ, Saffy. And I still have feelings for him even after all that's happened.”

“I guess I could understand that,” Saffron nodded. “I just want you to be happy Lexie. And Gabe's a great guy.”

Alexa gave her friend a hug. “He is and you've been so great to me this entire time. I don’t know what I’d do with out you.”

“Same here,” Saffron hugged her back.

“I do miss him,” Alexa said getting a little teary-eyed.

“Come on Lex,” Saffron said gently. “Don’t think about him. If RJ can't see how amazing you are then he doesn't deserve you. His games are completely old and he needs to get his head out of his arse.”

Alexa nodded. “It's just hard, Saffy.”

“I know,” Saffron said. “And I promise I won’t talk nasty about him in front of you. You can even talk about him and I’ll be completely objective. I just won't ever speak to him again.”

“Just don’t try and turn his family and Andrew against him,” Alexa said. “He needs to have them on his side, Saffy.”

“I promise I won’t,” Saffron held her hands up.

Alexa had her doubts, but she didn't say voice them. “Thanks.”

“I think this is going to be a good year,” Saffron said thoughtfully. “I just have this feeling...”

Alexa laughed. “I didn't realise you'd decided to take up Divination again.”

“Sod off,” Saffron pushed at her and Puddles jumped over on to her lap.

Try as she might, Alexa’s thoughts went back to RJ and she wondered what he might be doing right then.

What he was doing was developing the pictures from Emma's party. He hung another photo up and stared at the smiling faces of himself, Gabriel, Alexa, Saffron and Andrew. He didn't like the way Boyd was sitting close to Alexa. The guy really did have some nerve.

“Sod it all,” he said. He was still wondering if he had made the right decision in breaking things off with his ex girlfriend. The next song that came on the Wireless was one he'd danced to with her at Maddie’s wedding. “Damn it all to hell,” he cursed, throwing his hands up.

“What a shitty night.” He decided to get out of the darkroom and get a beer. He'd nearly made it to the kitchen when he heard a knock on the door. “Who is it?” he called.

“Open the door and find out,” Serena purred from the other side of the door.

RJ stared at her. “What are you doing here? I thought you were at Scanlon's party?”

“Not much of a party with out you,” she said winking at him as she sauntered into the flat. “And besides, you’re the one I wanted to kiss...”

RJ opened his mouth to say something but she had wrapped her arms around him and pressed her lips to his.

“You smell,” she said giggling after they pulled apart.

“It's the chemicals from... the...photos,” RJ stammered.

“Maybe we should get you out of these clothes,” Serena said her hand already tugging on the hem of his shirt.

“Whoa, Serena...” he said.

“But first,” she said stumbling back. “I want something to drink and I think you need one too. You really need to stop moping over Alexandra.”

“You know something...” RJ steadied her. “I think you’re right.”

Serena laughed. “Of course I am. What you ever saw in that plain Jane, I’ll never know.”

“She's not thinking about me tonight,” RJ rummaged around in his cabinet for the bottle of Firewhisky he had stashed away.

“Is Andy home?” Serena asked leaning against the counter.

“No,” RJ said, pouring two glasses for them.

Serena picked up her glass and held it up. “Clink. “

“Here’s to you,” RJ smiled at her.

“And to you,” Serena said stepping closer. RJ drank his whisky down and pulled her close.

“Happy New Year,” she whispered before nipping at his lips.

“We still have an hour,” he looked at his watch. “Want to go back to the party?”

She shook her head. “I was thinking we might have our own...private party.”

RJ grinned. “I like that idea...”

“Somehow I thought you would,” Serena said making her way toward his bed room. “Bring the bottle...”

“Yes'm,” RJ answered, following her. His eyes roamed up and down her curvy figure. “You are stunning you know.”

“I know,” Serena said slipping out of her shoes.

He took a long swig from the bottle. “I needed this...”

“Yes you do,” Serena said turning around to look at him. “You need me and not some silly school girl.”

“Right,” he said, taking another large swallow of Firewhisky.

And with that, RJ forgot about Alexa and Gabriel Boyd and anything that didn't involve the gorgeous blonde.

“That's right,” Serena purred. “Let me help you for get all about it...”

“I’m in your hands,” RJ said as they stumbled down on to the bed.

“You’re all mine now,” she said softly.

“All yours,” RJ said before crashing his lips to hers.

The two of them were so busy they didn't even realise it was the New Year until they both lay back, bodies sweaty. “RJ you exhaust me,” Serena rolled on to her side.

“You’re welcome,” RJ said with a cocky grin.

“Let's sleep in,” Serena ran her nails over his chest. “And spend all day tomorrow in bed...”

“As nice as that sounds,” RJ said. “I can't...I have a family thing ...”

“Oh,” she pouted. “You spend a lot of time with them...”

“They're my family,” RJ said putting an arm around her. “Don’t you spend time with yours?”

Serena shrugged. “We aren't really close.”

RJ couldn’t imagine what that was like. “Well, um, my mum told me at Em’s party that she'd like to get to know you better. You could come with tomorrow.”

“They didn't like me at Christmas,” Serena pouted.

“That’s not entirely true,” RJ told her. “And you didn't really make much of an effort. You looked bored the whole time.”

“I was,” she replied. “Family gatherings just aren't my thing...”

“They’re important to me, Serena,” RJ said with a sigh. “And you’re important to me too. Can you go with me tomorrow and make an effort? I know they weren't entirely welcoming the other day, but that's because they really like Lexie...”

“You promise they’ll be nicer to me?” Serena asked. “And that other little girl won't be around?”

“Saffy?” RJ asked. “Merlin, no… she won't be around.”

“Then I’ll go,” Serena nibbled his ear. “I didn't like her.”

“I’m not too crazy about her myself right about now,” RJ said.

“I think your family will like me,” Serena said. “Everyone does, usually.”

“You’re an acquired taste,” RJ said nibbling at her neck.

“I’m a rich, acquired taste,” Serena corrected with a giggle.

“I think we've talked enough,” RJ said huskily.

“Hmm...” Serena rolled herself up on top of him. “What did you have in mind?”

“I think you know,” RJ said before kissing her.

***

Week 9: Nick and Julie

Heaven: I wonder if we can get Nick to sing something tonight? Or maybe he only gives a private concert for Julie.

Amynoelle: Just as long as he doesn't expect us to sing. I don't know about you, but I can't carry a tune. Tone deaf doesn't even begin to describe it.

Heaven: I feel your pain. I make Britney Spears sound like an accomplished opera singer.

Amynoelle: I do wonder if we would sound better than Serena Starr...

Heaven: Let's not risk our readers' ears!

Amynoelle: We could tell them about the incredibly sad thing we wrote last night, but we wouldn't want to spoil them would we?

Heaven: Nah, not with Christmas just around the corner. We're not that mean.... *sniffle*

Amynoelle: I still can't believe we actually did it. I mean, we knew we were going to do it, but it still was sad.

Heaven: It definitely wasn't my favourite thing to write...

Nick: Hello?

Amynoelle: *Blushes* Oh my God! It's Nick Malfoy!!!!!!!! WOOOHOOO!!! Okay, sorry I went all fan girl there...

Heaven: Amy's too embarrassed to ask if you'd autograph her boobs.

Amynoelle: I wasn't going to ask that!

Heaven: *snickers*

Amynoelle: Let's see how you'd be if we got Oliver Wood in here for an interview....Oliver Wood: The Younger Years.

Heaven: I'm all over that one.

Julie: Girls, need I remind you that Oliver Wood is my boss.

Heaven: But Julie, he's gorgeous! I mean, I would never go fan girl like Mimi and Beth of course but... *fans self* that Scottish accent and kilt just make me want to go--

Julie: How about we get on to the questions?

Nick: Great idea.

Heaven: All right, I get the hint. Nick and Julie this question is from Lillian Potter and it's for both of you. If Nick's parents wanted to get to know your girls, would you let them?

Nick: Well, you saw how well they hit it off in Australia...

Amynoelle: *giggles* Katie threw up on your dad!

Heaven: That was beyond awesome!

Julie: *smiles* that was pretty great, actually. I don't honestly know if Nick's mum and dad would want to make an effort to get to know their granddaughters. I personally think they've missed out. But, if they did try and contact us, I would be suspicious of their motives.

Heaven: I can't say that I'd blame you. They always are into it for themselves and no one else!

Nick: Try growing up with them.

Amynoelle: No, thank you. But this leads into another question from our readers. One of them, miss granger, wants to know if you ever wonder what your parents are up to?

Nick: I suppose I'm curious, yeah. They ARE my parents... and I feel a strange, slight connection to them. But I really think our lives are better off as long as they stay as far away as possible.

Amynoelle: NicholePotter86 also asked about your parents. Do you wish that you had a close relationship with your parents like Julie has with hers?

Nick: Yeah, but my parents are the polar opposites of Jules'. Mine were never around for me growing up and only acted like my folks when it was convenient for them. I wish I could have grown up in home like Julie did, but I didn't. But, one good thing did come out of it. I was determined never to let my kids grow up feeling unwanted and unloved.

Heaven: We think you and Julie are fantastic parents!

Nick: Thanks!

Heaven: PotterChick958 wants to know if you're afraid at how 'Malfoy' Katie's behaviour can be sometimes?

Julie: Katie is ambitious and she does love being in the spotlight, but she has a very sweet and caring side to her to. She's been very nice to Hannah and she's a great friend to Caroline. We try to remind her that Caroline can have more than one friend. And we try to get her to think about others. She really is a sweet little girl.

Heaven: With all her reading problems going on, we've all really seen a different side to Katie. She's been angry but she's frustrated, and she doesn't quite know how to let that out yet.

Nick: She's working really hard and we're all trying to help her. She's our Katie Bear.

Amynoelle: Rainbow star wants to ask Julie how hard it was for you to see Katie going through these problems with her reading? She comes from a long line of over-achievers.

Julie: No parent wants to see their child upset and frustrated. But Katie's also got a fantastic support system!

Amynoelle: She really does! Miss Granger also wants to know how she's doing with her extra lessons? Has it helped improve her moods a little, now that she isn't so frustrated with her school work?

Nick: It has helped. Maya is a wonderful tutor, and Katie really likes her a lot. And her reading has improved quite a bit. She's not struggling nearly as much as she used to.

Heaven: We both think it's fantastic that she's already doing so much better! And Lillian Potter wants to know if you both are happy that Ashley and Katie have stopped fighting?

Nick: They still had the occasional row, but we're extremely happy that they seem to be getting along better.

Julie: And Ash has been helping Katie out with some of her extra assignments. It's really quite sweet. We're proud of them both.

Heaven: And Ashley even lets Katie help her with her art. I'm sure Elinore appreciates getting those things from both of them.

Julie: She really does.

Amynoelle: Okay, Julie. You come from a famous family. Orli Luva and PotterChick958 had similar questions for you. How does it feel to be so much older than your siblings? And what's the relationship like between you and your brother and sister with the age gaps?

Julie: It doesn't bother me, being so much older than Ethan and Saffy. In fact, I think it helped my mother out a lot because I was able to baby-sit and take care of them when I was around. And our relationship is fantastic. I love being at Hogwarts and being able to see my sister all the time. And I'd love to be around Ethan more, but he's busy with Maddie.

Amynoelle: Saffy told us how great it was having you at Hogwarts. Coolman wants to know how is your relationship with Saffron? You were probably more of a mother-like figure to her at least in her childhood. How are the two of you able to relate as siblings? Did you two ever fight like Saffy and Ethan?

Julie: Never. I'm 20 years older than she is, and I think when Mum and Dad have said no, she might come to me but usually I agreed with them *laughs* Despite the fact of our age differences, we still get along wonderfully. And our girls love when she comes over to see them.

Heaven: We could all sit and sing Saffron's graces, couldn't we? Another sort of combined and popular question - lzod, Jenna, and Molly want to know how you feel about Oliver, and what do you both think about the rumours going around about Oliver and Julie? Also, is anyone like Snape giving you flack for it?

Julie: *Sighs* I don't feel that I need to comment other than to say that Oliver Wood has been a wonderful friend to my family. I respect him so much and think he has done a fabulous job in his first year as Headmaster. And Severus does make his snide comments, but I choose to ignore it.

Heaven: I think Oliver Wood likes American girls, anyway...

Julie: You know, he is single. I could put in a word for you.

Nick: My wife, the matchmaker.

Heaven: Does he know how to use a Muggle phone? I'll give you my number to pass onto him.

Julie: He does have a mobile, actually. I'll give you his number after the interview.

Amynoelle: You've just made her day. Speaking of the headmaster, Julie---ears91 wants to know what you think of his vastly different style as compared to his predecessor?

Julie: I think Oliver has brought a new, fun approach to the school. Despite the silly, untrue rumours, I think a lot of students like and respect him.

Heaven: Man I wish I went to that school right now!

Nick- ears91 also wants to know if it frustrates you to only see Julie in the evenings and on weekends?

Nick: Definitely, but we make up for lost time when she gets home. Don't we, love?

Julie: Yes, we do.

Nick: But seriously, this was what she was born to do. She's a wonderful teacher and there's no better school than Hogwarts. Whatever she wants to do is fine with me.

Heaven: Aww that's so sweet! And speaking of jobs, rainbow star wants to know have you thought about retiring from the music business? And not necessarily now, but what do you think you would do with yourself when not writing music?

Nick: I don't know if I could ever retire from music. Someday I might retire from going out on the road and touring, but music is my first love. No matter what, I think it will always be a part of my life.

Amynoelle: Lillian Potter wants to know what you think about Greta, Nick.

Nick: Greta is the mother I never had in Ginny Malfoy.

Heaven: Molly wants to know how you think your life would have turned out if you never had Greta.

Nick: Not something I like to think about. I probably would have turned into my father.

Heaven: Coolman wants to know after you broke Julie's heart and returned to Sydney, if your parents hadn't sacked Greta would you still have come back?

Nick: Definitely. I screwed up and I didn't want to lose the best thing in my life.

Julie: Awwww.

Amynoelle: That's my line, Jules! But back to the questions, Nick. Bra4goten wants to know if you've heard the rumours about your wife and Oliver and what do you have to say about them?

Nick: If Jules tells me there's no truth to them, then that's what I believe.

Heaven: *grins* you’re so sweet Nick. PotterChick958 wants to know if you regret not having any siblings... well while you were growing up. You didn't find out about Chiaki until you were 21.

Nick: It would have been nice to have a brother or sister, but I don't know if I would have wanted anyone else to have to deal with my mum and dad.

Amynoelle: How is your relationship with Chiaki?

Nick: We're pretty close. I don't get to talk to her as often as I'd like, but since Jules is best friends with her, we all get together once or twice a month.

Amynoelle: TheGreatFox2000 wants to know if you remember anything about the kidnapping when you were four, Julie?

Julie: I was actually only a few months old, so no; I don't remember any of it. What I do know, is what I was told to me by my parents. They were terrified.

Heaven: And rightly so! It never did come out as to who was responsible, did it?

Julie: No, not really. There were rumours that it was Death Eaters, but no one was ever charged.

Heaven: We're all just so glad you're okay, Julie! Ears91 and PotterChick958 both want to know if you guys are considering ever having more children?

Julie: We've talked about it and we're quite happy with the two we have now.

Nick: I don't know if we could handle any more actually. *laughs*

Heaven: *grins* Here's an interesting question from Molly, for Nick. Do you ever feel that you can relate to Harry about getting partially abused when you were a kid? How did it feel? Although in your case- it was probably more neglect.

Nick: I think I could relate, yeah. But I heard about what Harry went through and I don't think there's any comparison. At least I had Greta and he didn't really have anyone.

Amynoelle: Thankfully you did have Greta, Nick. Coolman wants to know about your love of music. Despite your lonely childhood how did you discover your talent for music? Your parents wouldn't have been any help. Did you get professional training? If so, how?

Nick: The only professional training I got was at my school... I don't know, I guess I just always could carry a tune. And then I met my mates at school and we formed a band, at least for a little while. They're doing pretty good- they got a new singer after I left.

Amynoelle: A lot of our readers enjoyed the first song you ever wrote for Julie. An anonymous reader wants to know how long it took to write? And also how it felt to take over Harry's spot as the Sexiest Wizard Alive?

Nick: When did I do that? *laughs*

Julie: Dad could probably tell you. You know that he says those things are rubbish, but I think he enjoys it. Do you know he actually saves the magazines?

Heaven: Narcissus!

Nick: That song I wrote for Jules was done in about two hours. I just wrote how I felt about her- and I knew it had to be good enough to win her back.

Julie: It was, Nick.

Amynoelle: Very, very romantic. The anonymous reader also wants to know if you knew anything about the Malfoys from your parents before you met Nick? And who do you think your children take after the most?

Julie: I just knew they were awful, awful people. What they tried to do to my parents was just atrocious. But in some strange way, I'm now grateful to them, because they also had Nick. And he's amazing.

Nick: Thanks Jules.

Julie: *smiles at him* I also think our kids are a mix of both of us. Ash is serious about things like I am, but she looks so much like Nick. And Katie, while a bit more open about her feelings, reminds me a lot of myself when I was her age- I was curious and I was always trying to tell people what to do.

Amynoelle: Dysfunctionalspirit has a good question for you, Julie. You are the head of Gryffindor house. How is Gryffindor being handled when you go home especially when there's a party? Is there someone who keeps an eye (and ear) out for them or are there prefects enough for the night and weekend?

Julie: I'd love to say Snape does it, but we know that would be completely untrue. *laughs* Oliver actually keeps quite an eye on things. He IS like Dumbledore in the sense that he knows everything that is going on in that castle.

Heaven: I know what I'd like Oliver to keep his eye on...

Amynoelle: Heaven, behave!

Heaven: *points* look, Jude's naked over there!

Amynoelle: WHERE?

Julie: *snickers* You two remind me of Saffron.

Heaven: I consider that a compliment in the highest regard. But we should get back to the interview, only a few more questions here! PotterChick958 wants to know from Julie, did you ever feel a great amount of pressure being the daughter of The Boy Who Lived and the Minister for Magic?

Julie: Well, I certainly had a lot to live up to, didn't I? But I never felt pressure from my parents. They just wanted me to be happy and they encouraged me to pursue the things I wanted to do. Growing up in the Wizarding World as a Potter puts the spotlight on you whether you want it or not. I wanted to make my own way and not get by on the name.

Amynoelle: Which is why you originally taught school for Muggles, right?

Julie: Exactly. I got that on my own merits.

Amynoelle: And now you're at Hogwarts which we know Saffy loves. And Nick, we had some more questions about your career. RoyalJade wants to know what's going on with your music now? Are you still doing tours? And Rachelle wants to know what Julie's favourite song is?

Julie: My favourite song is the one he wrote me when we got back together.

Nick: My career is still going strong, which I think I'm extremely fortunate for. I've been in the business a long time now and I still have some amazing fans.

Heaven: I'm definitely a fan! I love your music!

Amynoelle: Me too! One last question for you, Nick. TheGreatFox2000 wants to know if you've heard anything directly or indirectly from your parents since you last saw them in Sydney?

Nick: Not a thing. And that is fine with me.

Heaven: Fine with us too- we hope your mother is off on a journey and won't come back. Man that sounded blunt...

Amynoelle: The truth always does.

Nick: I'm not offended, don't worry. They're strangers to me.

Amynoelle: We haven't heard from them in awhile, either. That could change though. But, let's not talk about unpleasant things. We really want to thank you both for taking the time to answer the questions. We had a blast!

Julie: We did too! Thanks for having us this week!

Heaven: Now Julie... let's get down to business. I need his mobile number and I need it now...

155. Chapter 155


CHAPTER ONE HUNDRED FIFTY FIVE

Authors' note: Thanks to everyone who has continued to read throughout our long journey! We have loads more in store for you guys---the drama is just beginning. This chapter though spotlights some characters who haven't always had their chance to shine. We hope you enjoy it. Please remember that there will not be an interview this weekend due to our schedules. But, we will post a chapter on Saturday. Please remember to send us your questions for Lavender and Seamus.

Lizzy Weasley arrived home after a rather long, rough day at work. She'd had several patients that day that had refused treatment, making her frustrated when they'd ask why they weren't getting better.

She hoped Josh would possibly have something ready for dinner and she couldn't wait to see her children as well.

"Liz, is that you?" Josh called out from the kitchen when he heard the front door open.

"Yes," Lizzy set her bag down and hung up her cloak.

Josh set a small bowl of food in front of Casey who was sitting in her high chair. Noah was playing on the floor with a toy truck and Aidan was sitting beside his brother looking as if he was about to start crying.

"No Case..." Josh said as he saw his daughter prepare to fling her food to the floor.

Aidan looked up at his sister, whose eyes were filling with tears, and promptly burst into his own. That also set Noah off, and Lizzy appeared in the doorway looking as if she almost wanted to run the other way.

"Great timing," Josh said picking Noah up.

Lizzy smiled tiredly at him and sat down, drawing Aidan into her lap. "What's wrong?" she asked him soothingly. "What's wrong with my little guy?"

"Daaaaa!" Casey cried from her chair. "DA!"

Josh set Noah down and walked over to Casey. "What is it baby?"

Casey's lower lip trembled as she let out a choked sob.

"I think Aidan needs a change," Lizzy told her husband. "Will you be all right in here with the terrible twosome?"

"I think I can manage," Josh said right before Casey grabbed a handful of her cereal and flung it at him.

"I'll be quick," Lizzy kissed Aidan's forehead. The little boy stared up at his mother with tears still swimming in his eyes.

Lizzy carried him back to the nursery and set him down on the changing table. "We'll get you all cleaned up, Aidan. I promise."

Aidan watched her. "Muh..." he said.

Lizzy grabbed for the baby wipes and didn't catch what her son had said.

She was almost done changing him when he reached a hand up. "Muh!"

Lizzy froze. "Muh? Me, Muh?"

"Muh... muh..." Aidan said.

Lizzy beamed at him. "Aidan!"

"Maa..." he said this time as he reached for her.

Lizzy quickly finished changing him and pulled him into her arms. "My sweet boy! You said my name!"

Aidan rested his head on her shoulder as she laughed. "Josh!"

"Hands are kind of full, Lizzy," Josh called back.

"But Josh," Lizzy carried her son into the kitchen. "He said it! Aidan finally said my name!"

Josh looked over at his wife and Lizzy laughed when she saw he was wearing most of Casey's dinner on his shirt and trousers.

"Did he?" Josh asked trying to act surprised.

"Just now," she was thrilled. "When I was changing him. He looked right up at me and said it!"

"Imagine that," Josh said with a grin. "That's great, Liz! I told you they'd say it."

"Muh!" Aidan said again.

Noah looked up at his brother and grinned.

"Muh," Noah chimed in happily. "Muh!"

"TWO of you?" Lizzy asked in delight. "Josh they're finally saying my name! I can't believe this!" she swooped her other son up and kissed them both repeatedly.

"Da," Casey said throwing the last of her oatmeal at Josh.

"Case!" Josh exclaimed. "I thought you were hungry."

"Da," Casey pushed her empty bowl aside. "Da, da, da, da!"

"Two out of three isn't bad," Lizzy said shaking her head.

"Case," Josh leaned over to prompt his daughter. "Come on..."

Casey looked at him for a few moments and then pointed her finger at Lizzy. "M-muh..."

"That's it baby," Josh encouraged. Lizzy felt her eyes grow damp as she realised her husband must have been coaching them.

"I've been working with them for the last week or so while you were at work," Josh admitted.

"Josh," Lizzy sat down, Noah and Aidan still in her arms. "Thank you." She leaned over to give him a kiss.

"I'm a complete mess," Josh said with a laugh. "Our daughter isn't a real Weasley. She's more interested in throwing her food than eating it. Must get that from your side of the family."

"Very funny," Lizzy grinned. "I was going to tell you that your oatmeal tastes delicious."

"Thank you," Josh grinned. "Would you like some?"

"I would," Lizzy replied, leaning in again.

Josh kissed her again. "Coming right up, Muh."

Lizzy felt much better about her day as she set her sons down and took a rag to clean off Casey's face.

"You made quite a little mess, madam," Lizzy said smiling at her daughter.

"Muh," Casey grinned up at her.

Lizzy beamed at her. "That's my girl. Come here, let's get you out of there."

Casey waved her little arms around as Lizzy lifted her up. "I think it actually might be bath time once you've finished," Josh said, setting a bowl down on the table.

Casey shook her head. "No."

Lizzy laughed. "Is that your other favourite word, Case?"

Casey giggled and put her arms around Lizzy's neck. "Muh."

Lizzy kissed her cheek. "Is it okay if Muh gets something to eat?"

"Come to Daddy, Case," Josh said taking her from Lizzy.

"Da," Casey grinned at him.

Josh laughed. "Let's go and get you in the bath, Case. And then I'll get your brothers."

"No!" Casey said.

Josh levelled his gaze at her. "Casey, you have to have a bath and I know you don't want to, but I promise it'll be fun."

Lizzy laughed. "You'd best just get her in there before she rebels. She likes it when you make the water blue, though."

"Right," Josh said as Casey started to kick her legs. "Come on, Case. Don't hurt Daddy."

"No, no, no," Casey shook her head.

"That is her second favourite word," Lizzy called after them.

"Muh!" Casey screamed over Josh's shoulder. "Muh!"

"What do you think?" Lizzy looked at her sons. "Is your sister a drama queen?"

Noah laughed and clapped his little hands together.

"I'll take that as a yes," Lizzy grinned as she finished her supper.

She cleaned up the kitchen and then picked up both her sons. "Come on, guys. You're next."

"Muh," Noah patted her cheek.

Lizzy laughed. "That's me."

"Got Case in the tub!" Josh called. "You're right about the blue water!"

Lizzy poked her head in the bathroom. Casey was happily playing in the tub and Josh was completely soaking wet. "Josh!"

"She just splashed me," Josh wiped his face off with a towel.

"I think you're wrong," Lizzy said. "I think Casey is all Weasley. She's Fred with a touch of George."

"You got that right," Josh said, running his hands back through his hair. "They'd be so proud."

"Da!" Casey said splashing him again.

"Case!" Josh exclaimed as Lizzy set the boys down and began to undress them.

Casey giggled.

"I think she's found a new favourite thing to do," Lizzy joked.

"Next time, you get the honours," Josh said waiting to wipe himself. He grabbed a towel and slung it over his shoulder and then knelt down to pick his daughter up out of the bath.

"She never does that to me," Lizzy waved her wand and the tub was empty. Another flick of the wrist and she had new water in there, only coloured green this time.

Josh shook his head. "Show-off."

"You love that about me," Lizzy said with a grin as she set Noah into the water.

"That and more," Josh said starting for the door. "Liz?"

"Yeah?" she turned.

"After we put them to bed, it's my bath time," Josh said with a grin. "And I promise, I won't fight it."

Lizzy laughed. "You have got yourself a deal."

*** *** ***

Hannah had settled in quite well with her new parents. So much so that Frankie felt comfortable leaving her with Allison and Jon while she accompanied the team on a road trip to Italy. Will was also out of town on a research trip and even though Hannah said she'd miss her parents, she was excited to have a weekend sleepover with Caroline and Emma.

Jon was working late that Friday evening so it was just Allison, Adam and the three little girls who had so far eaten pizza and ice cream, watched two movies and played a rousing game of beauty shop.

Now it was just gone midnight and Allison was tucking the girls into bed.

“Make sure to tell Daddy to give us a kiss when he gets home,” Caroline said as she slid underneath her covers. “Even if we're asleep, Mummy.”

“I will Angel,” Allison kissed her oldest on the cheek.

“Em wants waffles tomorrow,” the little redhead announced sleepily.

Allison handed Emma her favourite teddy bear and then kissed her on the forehead. “Waffles it is. Good night, Emma Madeline. Sweet dreams.”

“Night Mummy,” Emma said, closing her eyes.

“How about you, Hannah?” Allison looked at her niece. “Do you need anything sweetheart?”

Hannah shook her head. “I'm fine, Aunt Allie.”

“Good night then,” Allison also kissed her forehead and left the room, making sure the nightlight was on and the door was left open a crack.

It didn't take long for Hannah to go to sleep and she hugged her own teddy bear tightly to her.

***

It was a beautiful spring day and Abbie and Hannah were in the garden planting sunflowers. “Pat the ground down really well, like this,” Abbie showed her daughter. “There you go.”

“I got it,” Hannah grinned up at her mother. “We have pretty flowers, right?”

“We have beautiful flowers,” Abbie agreed smiling at her. They'd gone into town earlier that day to buy the seeds. “And maybe, just maybe, we can get ice cream later?”

“Yummy,” Hannah said happily.

Abbie tickled Hannah's side. It really had been a wonderful day and with any luck David would stay away for most of it. It was always so much better when he was away. And though he didn't know it, she had been saving up for months so she could leave him. She smiled at her daughter. “My sweet girl, we should plant another row, don't you think?”

Hannah nodded eagerly. “Mummy? Can we have mac and cheese for dinner tonight?”

“You always want Mac and cheese,” Abbie teased. “How about we try something different tonight, like mac and Hannah? Or Hannah and Cheese?”

“That's silly,” Hannah giggled as her mother gave her a hug.

Abbie hugged her tightly. “Okay, Miss Hannah. We'll have mac and cheese, but first we need to finish planting our flowers.”

“This is the best day,” Hannah said as she grabbed another handful of seeds.

“It's always the best day if I can spend it with my Hannah,” Abbie said, smiling at her daughter.

Hannah beamed at her. “I can't wait until---”

“ABBIE!” David called out from the back porch. “WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU?”

Hannah's smile turned into a frightened yelp.

“Come on sweetheart,” Abbie pulled her daughter close. “Let's stay here in the garden, okay?”

Hannah nodded and said a silent prayer that maybe her father would pass out and not come looking for them.

“ABBIE!” he screamed again. “WHERE ARE YOU, YOU BITCH?”

Abbie patted Hannah's back reassuringly. “It's going to be okay, sweetheart,” she whispered.

“I'm scared,” Hannah buried her face in Abbie's shoulder.

David stumbled around the backyard and tripped over one of Hannah's toys. He let loose with a stream of expletives that made both Hannah and Abbie wince.

“HOW MANY TIMES HAVE I TOLD YOU TO CLEAN UP?” David yelled throwing Hannah's toy over his shoulder. “YOU STUPID BRAT!”

“Mummy,” Hannah whimpered.

Abbie held on tightly to her daughter. She would have Apparated them both away, but she was shaking just as bad as Hannah and she wasn't entirely sure she wouldn't splinch them both in the process. “It's okay, baby. He's not going to hurt you. I promise. I won't let him touch you ever again.”

“ABBIE!” David screamed again. “GET YOUR LAZY ARSE OUT HERE NOW!”

Abbie decided to try and sneak around the house so she could go inside and get her wand. It was the only chance she and Hannah might have.

“YOU STUPID BITCH!” David came crashing into their hiding spot before she was even able to move.

“Mummy!” Hannah screamed.

“Shut that brat up!” David exclaimed. “And where's my fucking dinner?”

“I'll go make it now,” Abbie stood up quickly and pushed Hannah behind her. “Anything you want David.”

“It's too late!” David yelled backhanding Abbie.

“Mummy,” Hannah began to sob.

“Go inside, baby,” Abbie said struggling to get back on her feet. “Go in your room.”

“She's not going anywhere,” David said grabbing for Hannah. “I never wanted this brat and she's been more trouble than she's worth...”

“MUMMY!” Hannah wailed. “Daddy, please....”

David yanked hard on Hannah's arm. “You shut up,” he shook her. “You shut up, do you hear me?”

“Let her go!” Abbie ordered. “David, she hasn't done anything wrong! LET HER GO!”

“I didn't say you could talk!” David grabbed her throat in one hand.

In the struggle, David let go of Hannah who tried to help her mother, but David kicked her away.

“NO!” Hannah called out in her sleep, waking up both Caroline and Emma.

“Han?” Emma asked uncertainly.

“Go get mummy,” Caroline told her younger sister. “Now.”

“Kay,” Emma's lower lip trembled as she pushed her covers off and ran out of the room.

Caroline gingerly sat on the edge of Hannah's bed, uncertain of what to do. “Hannah?” she asked, touching her cousin's arm. “Hannah, it's me Caroline...”

“No,” Hannah sobbed in her sleep. “Mummy...”

Allison hurried into the room with Emma in tow.

“I think she's having a bad dream,” Caroline said getting up so Allison could sit down. “I think it's about Aunt Frankie.”

“Hannah,” Allison said gently as she took a hold of the little girl's shoulders. “Sweetheart wake up...”

“Mummy?” Hannah asked her eyes blinking open.

“It's Aunt Allie, sweetheart,” Allison said. “You were having a bad dream...”

“He hurt my mummy,” Hannah said wiping at her tear-stained cheeks. “We were having such a good day and he hurt her!”

“Frack?” Emma asked in alarm.

Hannah shook her head and began to cry again. “I want my mummy...”

“Caroline?” Allison asked. “Will you go ring Aunt Frankie's mobile, please? Tell her we need her to get here as soon as possible.”

“Yes Mummy,” Caroline ran out of the room.

Emma picked up her teddy bear and walked over to Hannah. “Here, Han.”

Hannah looked at it for a moment. “Thanks,” she said her eyes red and swollen.

“It's okay,” Allison said patting Hannah's back. “You're safe, baby.”

Hannah sobbed into Allison's shoulder. “I want my mummy.”

“I rang Aunt Frankie,” Caroline said. “She's coming right now.”

“Thanks, Angel,” Allison said. Caroline sat down beside Emma. “Your mummy's going to be here really soon, Hannah.”

“You talked to her?” Hannah asked lifting her head from Allison's shoulder.

Caroline nodded, assuming she meant Frankie. “She was really worried.”

Hannah wiped at her eyes, a slight smile playing at her lips. “I've missed her so much.”

“You've only been here a few hours,” Caroline was confused.

Frankie dashed into the room, soot and ash still on her robe and pyjamas. Caroline hadn't gone into much detail and Frankie had assumed the worst. She was relieved to see Hannah was still breathing and seemed to be okay. That was until she saw her daughter's tear-stained face.

“My mummy's coming,” Hannah said wiping at her eyes.

“I'm right here,” Frankie knelt down next to the bed. “Hannah, baby...”

Hannah shook her head. “My mummy's coming back. Caroline said...”

Frankie cast a confused look at her sister. “Hannah, sweetheart... I know your mummy would love to come back but she can't.”

“She had a bad dream,” Allison explained. “She was so scared and I thought she needed you.”

Frankie nodded. “Thanks, Allie. Can you give us a minute?”

“Of course,” Allison said. “Caroline, Em, why don't you girls come with me to check on Adam?”

Caroline nodded and took her little sister's hand as they followed their mother out of the room.

Frankie put her arms around Hannah. “Sweetheart, what was your dream about?”

“My Daddy came home,” Hannah said with a shuddery sigh. “And he found me and my mummy in the garden.”

“It was just a bad dream,” Frankie reassured her.

“No, it was how it happened,” Hannah sobbed. “I tried to help her, but he wouldn't let me!”

“It wasn't your fault baby,” Frankie held her daughter tightly. “You did nothing wrong.”

Hannah sobbed into her mother's shoulder.

“You're safe honey,” Frankie whispered over and over again, holding her daughter while she cried. “You're safe.”

“Don't leave me,” Hannah clung to her. “Please...”

“I'm not going anywhere,” Frankie whispered. “I promise, baby.”

Hannah nodded. “I'm still scared,” she whispered.

Frankie kissed the top of her head. “I missed you so much. We've been apart what -- a few hours and I felt like it had been days. I don't like being away from you, Hannah.”

“I don't like it either,” Hannah said her head on Frankie's shoulder.

“How would you like to come back to my hotel with me?” Frankie asked. “You can spend the rest of the weekend with me.”

“You wouldn't mind?” Hannah asked in a small voice.

“Silly girl,” Frankie said affectionately. “Of course I don't mind.”

“Okay,” Hannah said wiping at her eyes one more time before standing up. Frankie quickly helped her gather her belongings in the purple overnight bag.

“Allie?” Frankie said softly, poking her head in Adam's nursery. “Hannah's coming back with me for the rest of the weekend.”

Allison had expected as much and she gave Hannah a hug. “We'll continue our sleepover some other time.”

“I'm sorry,” Hannah apologised. “I didn't mean to scare everyone.”

“It's okay,” Allison reassured her. “We're just glad you're okay.”

Hannah held out Emma's teddy bear. “Thanks, Em.”

Emma shook her head. “Han keep for now.” she said.

“I couldn't,” Hannah protested, but Emma stood firm.

“Han keep,” Emma repeated.

“Thanks Em,” Hannah smiled at her cousin.

“I'll ring you later,” Frankie told her sister.

Hannah followed her mother out of the nursery and back into the sitting room. “Wait until you see this huge bathtub in my room, Hannah.”

“Okay,” Hannah smiled at her.

They Flooed back to Frankie's hotel room and Hannah gazed in awe at the mere size of the room. “Whoa...”

“And if you're hungry, we can order room service,” Frankie told her.

“Room service?” Hannah asked quizzically.

Frankie nodded. “They bring your food right up here and you can eat it in bed!”

Hannah's jaw dropped. “Really?”

“Really,” Frankie said smiling at her. “And wait until you see the view...”

“Where are we?” Hannah asked.

“We're in Italy,” Frankie told her.

“The one that looks like a boot?” Hannah asked excitedly. Will had pointed it out to her on the map that morning before he'd left.

“That's right,” Frankie laughed. “Your Daddy's going to be so proud that you remembered that.”

Hannah smiled. “I'm going to go check out the tub.”

Frankie pointed toward the door. “Its right there, sweetheart.”

“Okay,” Hannah scampered across the room and Frankie dug in her bag for her mobile. She wanted to call her husband and tell him Hannah was with her.

Will was staying at a small bed and breakfast in Dorset and was fast asleep when the phone rang. He reached for it blindly. “Hmmmph, hello?” he mumbled.

“Hey,” Frankie said. “It's me...”

“Frankie?” Will asked suddenly awake. “What's wrong?”

“Hannah had a really bad nightmare at Allie's,” Frankie said. “So I went and got her and she's going to stay with me the rest of the weekend.”

Will didn't have to ask what it was about. “Is she okay?”

“She's all right now,” Frankie said softly.

“Can I talk to her?” Will asked sitting up in bed.

“Sure,” Frankie called out for their daughter, who emerged from the loo. “Will wants to talk to you sweetheart.”

Hannah took a few tentative steps toward the phone. She was afraid her father would be mad at her for making everyone worry.

“It's okay,” Frankie urged.

“Daddy?” Hannah asked tentatively.

“Hiya, sweetheart,” Will said softly. “How's my girl doing?”

“Okay,” Hannah replied. “I had a bad dream.”

“Your mummy told me,” Will said. “But you're okay, baby. You know that, right?”

“I know,” Hannah replied. “I was just really scared.”

“I miss you,” Will told her. “I can't wait to you and your mum on Sunday night.”

“I can't wait too,” Hannah said. “Oh- and I remembered that we're in the country that looks like a boot!”

Will grinned. “That's my smart girl!”

Hannah felt much better. “I love you Daddy,” she said before handing the phone back to Frankie.

“So we'll see you on Sunday,” Frankie said to her husband.

“Take care of our girl, Frankie,” Will said. “Love you.”

“Love you too,” Frankie said before turning her mobile off.

Frankie set it on the bedside table. “Okay, you. It's way past your bedtime.”

Hannah climbed into the bed and hugged both her teddy bear and Emma's. “Will you tell me a story?”

“I'm afraid I don't have any books here,” Frankie replied with a frown.

“You could make up one,” Hannah suggested. “Please?”

“Well, since you asked so nicely,” Frankie turned out the lights and got under the covers. “Maybe you can help me- I'm rubbish at making stories up.”

Hannah thought about this for a few moments. “I know...tell me a story about a girl named Francesca.”

“Francesca?” Frankie teased. “Wonder where you got that name from?”

“And she's the queen,” Hannah giggled. “Prettiest queen in all the land.”

“I like this story,” Frankie said. “Okay, so Queen Francesca, the prettiest in all the land, was really unhappy and she didn't even know it. And one day, she was in the village, when she saw a beautiful girl who was working hard.”

“And who was that?” Hannah asked.

“Her name was... Hannah,” Frankie smiled at her. “And Queen Francesca knew as soon as she saw Hannah that it was the long lost princess she'd been searching for.”

Hannah smiled. “Did she take her home to the castle?”

“She did,” Frankie nodded. “She took Princess Hannah home to live with her and King William.”

“And Princess Hannah felt safe for the first time ever,” Hannah said closing her eyes and snuggling up close to her mother.

“Queen Francesca was so happy to know that,” Frankie pushed Hannah's long brown hair back and kissed her temple. “I love you baby.”

“I love you too, Mummy,” Hannah whispered.

“In the morning when you wake up, we'll order a huge breakfast,” Frankie whispered. “And you can come with me to my meetings and we'll have a real Italian dinner tomorrow night.”

It didn't take long for Hannah to fall asleep and Frankie continued to stroke her daughter's hair. “Sweet dreams, my sweet girl,” Frankie whispered. “Sweet dreams.”

*** *** ***

Drew had gone into labour two weeks ahead of schedule. She'd been out with Brian when her waters had broken and they'd rushed to the hospital. Because of what had happened with Hope, Drew was very nervous and apprehensive about the labour. But with Brian's help, she'd managed to get through most of it so far. But she'd now been in labour for over 15 hours and she was knackered and wanted to just take a nice, long kip. But the doctor had other ideas, apparently.

“Just one more push, Drew,” the doctor called out. “Just one more.”

Drew shook her head. “I can't!”

"Come on baby," Brian said, gripping her hand. "Don't you want to meet our little one? I know you can do this Drew."

Drew summoned what little strength she had yet and did as the doctor asked.

"Come on sweetheart," Brian said. "Just a little more Drew, and we'll meet our child."

Drew gave one last push and gripped her fiancé's hand tightly. The sound of a baby's cries filled the room a few moments later and Drew started to cry.

"Drew, Brian," the doctor said smiling at them. "You have a healthy little girl."

"Healthy?" Drew asked breathlessly, her eyes filling up with tears. "It's a girl? And she's healthy?"

The doctor nodded before gingerly handing the baby to the nurse. "We're just going to clean her up first."

Drew sobbed as she looked over at Brian. "Chloe?"

"Chloe Hope McGregor?" Brian asked her.

Drew nodded. "And she's really okay?"

"She's really okay," Brian said giving her a kiss.

Drew pushed her hair back- it was matted and damp from sweat. "I need to see her,"

"She's ready to meet her parents," the nurse said swaddling the baby in a blanket.

Drew sobbed again as she carefully took her daughter in her arms. "She's so beautiful..."

"She looks like her mum," Brian said softly.

"She has some of you too," Drew traced her finger over Chloe's soft cheek as the infant yawned.

Brian chuckled. "That yawn was all me."

Drew smiled at him. "She's really okay..."

"Course she is," Brian said softly. "Her big sister was looking out for her."

Drew's eyes filled with tears again and she used her free hand to wipe them away. "Can you go get our parents?"

Brian nodded. "And Darla?"

"Of course," Drew said softly, her eyes glued to the infant in her arms.

Brian rushed out of the room leaving Drew alone with their daughter.

"I'm your mum," Drew whispered. "And I love you so much."

Chloe opened her eyes and stared straight up at her.

"I just wish that you could have met your big sister," Drew said as a tear fell down her cheek. "I know you would have been as close as me and my sisters."

She smiled tearfully as Chloe grabbed onto her index finger with her tiny hand.

"Sweetheart?" Luna asked from the doorway.

"Hi Mum," Drew said. "Come meet my daughter."

Luna came into the room followed by Ron and Brian's parents. "She's got the Weasley red hair," Luna said with a smile. "Drew, she's gorgeous!"

Drew smiled. "Brian, I know you want to hold her..."

"You gonna let me?" Brian asked teasingly.

"For a minute," Drew smiled at him.

Brian teared up as he held his daughter for the first time. His father and stepmother watched with huge smiles.

"Hiya," Brian said kissing Chloe's forehead.

Chloe stared up at him with her large blue eyes. "You look just like your gorgeous mummy," he said softly.

Drew smiled. "I look fantastic right now, don't I?"

"You never looked more beautiful to me," Ron said softly. "Drew I'm so proud of you."

"Thanks, Daddy," Drew said squeezing his hand.

"Drew," Darla swept into the room. "I'm sorry, I went to the loo for a moment and--" she gasped as she caught sight of the baby.

"Meet Chloe Hope McGregor," Drew said to her sister.

Darla's lower lip trembled a bit. "She's absolutely gorgeous," she whispered, staring at the baby then at her twin sister.

"Want to hold her?" Brian asked. "Aunt Darla?"

"I would love to," Darla held her arms out.

Brian placed the baby in Darla's arms.

Drew smiled as Darla perched on the edge of the bed. "Of course, you're the godmother," she said softly.

"I'd be honoured," Darla replied. Chloe had fallen asleep in her aunt's arms. "I see she finds my company stimulating."

"I think she's as knackered as I am," Drew said as Luna brushed her hair off her forehead.

"I don't know how you managed to do this four times," Drew said to her mother.

Luna smiled at her. "It was worth it each and every time."

"I'm sorry, Miss Weasley," the nurse said. "But we're going to need to take the baby now."

Drew nodded and looked over at Brian.

Darla gave the baby back to the nurse. "Take care of my niece," Darla said with a grin.

"Of course," the nurse said warmly. "She'll be in the nursery down the corridor."

"We should probably let you get some sleep," Brian's father said to Drew. "Both of you."

"I'm as wide awake as can be," Brian said.

"Wish I was," Drew smiled at all of them. "We're so happy you all were here today though."

"We're so happy that you and your daughter are both okay," Luna said giving her daughter a kiss on the cheek.

"Thanks Mum," Drew said softly. "I love you guys."

"We love you too," Ron said. "So much, Drew."

"Thanks Dad," Drew smiled as her father kissed her on the forehead.

"We'll be back to see you later," Brian's father said.

"Thanks, Dad," Brian said giving him a hug.

Everyone left except for Darla, who lagged behind. "Drew..."

"What is it, Dar?" Drew asked.

"I'm just really proud of you," Darla said softly.

"I was really scared," Drew admitted. "Especially with everything that happened with Hope."

"I know but it went perfectly," Darla squeezed her sister's hand. "And Chloe is beautiful."

"She is, isn't she?" Drew asked with a tired smile. "And healthy, Darla. She's healthy."

"Completely healthy," Darla said. "You get some rest Drew. I'll be in the waiting room when you wake up."

"Thanks, Darla," Drew said already closing her eyes.

Darla waited until her twin was asleep before leaving the room. She bumped into Brian just outside. "How're you doing Dad?" she asked.

Brian grinned. "That's me. I'm doing fantastic. She's gorgeous, isn't she?"

"Absolutely," Darla nodded. "I couldn't be happier for you and Drew."

Brian gave her a hug. "Thanks for everything, Darla."

"Anytime," Darla hugged him back. "And now that Drew's getting her old figure back, it's almost time for the big double wedding."

"I can't wait to make it official," Brian said. "I love her so much, Darla."

Darla smiled at him. "I'm so glad she has someone like you."

"I'm the lucky one," Brian said fondly. "I'd do anything for her."

Darla nodded. "I always liked you," she said with a grin. "From that first night we met you, I just had a feeling about you."

Brian puffed out his chest. "That's because I'm quite charming."

Darla laughed. "No wonder you and Hans get on so well."

"Speaking of Hans," Brian said. "I was going to ask him to be Chloe's godfather."

Darla grinned. "Were you really? He's on a shoot right now in Australia but he's due back tomorrow. I was going to ring him to let him know about the baby but I won't say anything about being the godfather."

"I'll ask him when he gets back then," Brian said. "I'd better get back inside."

"She's asleep," Darla looked back in the room. "I told her I'd wait out here until she woke up."

"Oh," Brian said a little disappointed that he hadn't had a chance to tell her good night. But, truth be told, he was kind of knackered himself.

"I'll go keep an eye on my new niece," Darla said with a smile. "Go get some rest."

"Thanks," Brian said gratefully.

Darla went down the corridor to the nursery and leaned against the window, her eyes on her twin's daughter.

Maddie tapped her sister on the shoulder. She and Ethan had arrived a few minutes ago after receiving a phone call from Luna. "Is that her?" Maddie asked peering over Darla's shoulder.

"Yeah," Darla smiled at her sister. "Our newest niece, Chloe Hope McGregor."

"Look at that red hair," Maddie gushed.

"She's got gorgeous blue eyes," Darla said proudly. "And she has Brian's nose."

Maddie felt tears welling up in her eyes as she looked at her newborn niece. "How's Drew?"

"Sleeping," Darla hugged her baby sister.

"I bet she is," Maddie said.

Ethan pecked Darla on the cheek. "And how are you holding up?" he teased. "I heard what happens to one twin, the other feels as well."

"I'm fine," Darla said with a laugh. "No sympathy labour pains or things like that."

"What's Hans up to?" Maddie asked.

"Photo shoot in Melbourne," Darla replied.

"When's he due back?" Ethan asked, sliding his arm around his wife.

"Tomorrow afternoon, I expect," Darla answered. "I've missed him."

"I'm so happy you both managed to work everything out," Maddie said to her sister.

"Me too," Darla said.

"Mind if we wait with you?" Ethan asked. "We'd like to see the new parents when they're up for it."

"I'd love it," Darla said. "In fact, you might get to hold her, Maddie. Let me just get the nurse."

Maddie grinned in excitement. "She's just gorgeous Ethan..."

Ethan put his arm around her. "She is, Mads."

"Kind of makes me wonder what it's like to be in Drew's shoes..." Maddie said softly.

"Really?" Ethan asked looking at her.

She shrugged. "Just makes me wonder, is all."

Darla came back out of the nursery with Chloe. "Okay, little one. You are about to meet Auntie Maddie and Uncle Ethan. Maybe she'll teach you her special pout when you get older."

"Very funny," Maddie eagerly took the little bundle into her arms. "Hello gorgeous," she cooed.

"Look at her eyes," Darla gushed. "They're so blue!"

"Just like a Weasley," Ethan grinned.

"We're all going to spoil you rotten, you know that, right?" Maddie asked her niece who stared up at her.

"Completely rotten," Darla agreed. "Chloe's not going to want for anything."

"Where's the rest of your brood?" Ethan asked.

"Jon and Allie are going to bring the girls over later," Darla replied. "Josh was here earlier and I tried reaching RJ, but couldn't."

"There's a big surprise," Maddie said wryly. "Ever since he took up with Serena we've hardly seen hide nor hair of him."

"Well, he should make time for this," Darla said. "We're his family."

"I agree," Maddie kissed Chloe's forehead before passing her to Ethan.

Ethan was a little hesitant which made the sisters laugh. "You can't break her, Ethan," Maddie teased.

"I don't really get a chance to hold babies," he confessed.

"When you and Maddie have them, you'll have to," Darla said with a grin. "And you can consider this practise."

"She's really sweet," Ethan said with a grin.

Chloe smacked her small lips and looked up at Ethan before starting to cry.

"Uh oh," Darla said. "Let me take her."

Ethan gladly handed her the baby. "Told you I was rubbish at it."

"Nonsense," Maddie told him. "You're perfect- she's just an infant, and they all cry."

Ethan smiled. "Thanks for making me feel better."

Maddie kissed her husband as Darla took Chloe back into the nursery. "You've always been perfect to me," she whispered.

"That's my line," Ethan said putting his arms around her.

Maddie closed her eyes as she leaned against him. "I do want to have kids with you," she said softly. "But not for another year or two. I still want some time alone with you first."

"And Blue," Ethan reminded her. "Don't forget our demented little pixie."

"I could never forget my baby," Maddie grinned.

"He was mad that he couldn't come with," Ethan said. "We'll have to get him some fish and chips on the way home."

"Definitely," Maddie grinned. "I love watching him eat fish and chips."

"You never try and take it away from him," Ethan said nudging her. "But you love getting mine. Why is that?"

"Because you love sharing with me," Maddie leaned in and kissed him.

"Most of the time," Ethan said dryly.

"All right," Maddie said. "I won't steal your fish and chips anymore."

"You won't?" Ethan asked raising an eyebrow.

"I'll try not to," Maddie corrected herself.

"That's my girl," Ethan said giving her another kiss.

"Did you two want to join me in the cafeteria?" Darla came out. "I'm in the mood for a cup of coffee."

"Sure," Ethan replied. "I'm buying."

"Then I'll have two cups," Darla joked.

"And a muffin," Maddie chimed in.

"Chocolate chip, if I know my wife," Ethan said.

Maddie grinned. "Yum."

The three of them headed down to the cafeteria and as they were sitting down, Darla's mobile rang. "It's Hans," she said with a grin. "I have to tell him the good news."

"Baby," Hans said when Darla picked up.

"YES!" Darla squealed. "Drew had her baby!"

Hans held the phone away from his ear for a few moments. "That's fantastic, Dar. I take it they're both okay?"

"Yes," Darla said. "Sorry- I'm just so excited. They had a baby girl, and named her Chloe Hope McGregor."

"I wish I could be there," Hans said.

"Me too," Darla said softly. "But I know you're busy..."

"I'll be home tomorrow around six your time," Hans promised.

"I can't wait to see you," Darla replied.

"Give Drew and Brian my best," Hans said. "I have to go, Dar. They're waiting on me. Love you."

"I love you too," Darla smiled before clicking off her phone.

"Awwww," Ethan teased. "You two lovebirds are so cute!" he batted his eyes.

"Shut it, Mister I-Twirl-In-The-Snow," Darla said sweetly.

"Spin," Ethan corrected.

"Is that more manly?" Darla asked.

"Quite so," Ethan nodded as he sat back.

"Right," Darla said giggling.

"Want a bite?" Maddie held up her muffin.

"Yes, please," Ethan replied.

"Just a bite," she said. "I'm starving!"

"When aren't you Weasleys starving?" Ethan asked them.

"Never," both Maddie and Darla answered together.

Ethan shook his head. "I'll just go and get my own muffin."

"And another for me?" Maddie asked sweetly.

"Yes, dear," Ethan said before walking away.

"You have him trained well, Madeline Molly," Darla teased her sister.

"He's one of the good ones," Maddie said dreamily.

"And how is life as a Potter?" Darla asked.

"Fantastic," Maddie said smiling at her.

"Before long, none of us girls will be Weasleys anymore," Darla said. "Drew's going to be a McGregor, and I'll be known as Mrs. Hans Feinbach."

"We'll always be Weasleys no matter what," Maddie said loyally.

"In a sense, you're right." Darla said. "Merlin, I don't know how Dad's going to hold up at me and Drew's wedding... he was almost in tears at yours."

"I know," Maddie said. "He made me cry."

"Almost ruined your makeup," Darla teased.

"Frankie would have killed him," Maddie said with a laugh.

"How's everything going with Hannah?" Darla asked as Ethan came back with more muffins for all of them.

"She's still having some nightmares about her dad," Maddie said. "But other than that, she's doing really well. Frankie's such a great mum."

"I'm so glad for her," Darla said. "And for Hannah. That little girl is so sweet."

"She really is," Maddie said softly.

"I heard they made you two the godparents," Darla bit into her muffin.

"They made us an offer we couldn't refuse," Ethan said in gravely voice. "Get it?"

Darla raised an eyebrow at him. "Huh?"

"The Godfather?" Ethan asked her. "Darla...that's one of the greatest films of all time..."

"No, it's not," Maddie said shuddering. "This man woke up with a horse's head in his bed!"

"Ugh," Darla agreed with her sister. "And what's even worse, they used a REAL horse's head."

"That poor horse," Maddie said shaking her head.

"You women are so weird about that stuff," Ethan replied.

"We're talking about a poor, defenceless animal," Maddie argued. "They didn't have to use a real horse's head."

"It was already dead," Ethan said, exasperated. "They got it from one of those factories."

"And that makes it better?" Maddie asked indignantly.

"Well..." Ethan looked between his wife and sister in law. "I'm not going to win this am I?"

Maddie shook her head. "No.'

"Then I'll just shut up now." Ethan stuffed the rest of his muffin in his mouth.

A couple of hours later, Drew woke up and grinned when she saw Brian asleep in the chair beside her bed.

"Hey," she said softly, sitting up in the bed. "Brian?"

Brian opened his eyes. "Yeah, sweetheart?'

"I'm so glad you stayed," she stretched. "How's Chloe?"

"She's fine," Brian said stretching as well. "And how's her mummy?"

"Feeling much better," Drew smiled at him as she swung her legs over the side of the bed. "I'm dying to go see her now that I'm a little more coherent."

"Come on then," Brian said handing her a dressing gown.

"Thanks sweetheart," Drew gave him a kiss. "How are you feeling, daddy?"

"Still knackered, but very happy," Brian said grinning at her. "I can't believe we're parents, Drew."

"I can't believe it either," Drew leaned against him as they headed for the nursery. "I think I'm still a little bit in awe that she's here and she's okay."

"And she obviously couldn't wait to get here since she arrived a fortnight earlier than she was supposed to," Brian said.

"Right," Drew smiled happily as she peered through the window at their daughter.

"She's still asleep," Brian remarked.

"I could just sit here and look at her all day," Drew said dreamily.

Brian wrapped his arms around her. "Me too."

"When she wakes up I'll have to feed her," Drew leaned back against him. "I can't believe how happy I am right now. I feel so fulfilled. I haven't felt like this in a long time."

"You deserve to feel that way, Drew," Brian said softly.

"Thanks," Drew said, giving him another kiss.

"Thank you for giving me this incredible gift," Brian said to her. "You and Chloe are everything to me."

"I guess that's one more thing we have in common," Drew grinned at him. "Because you and Chloe are everything to me too."

They spent the next few minutes cataloguing their daughter's features and saying what she'd gotten from which parent. Drew smiled as she thought of her daughters---both Hope and Chloe.

"You all right?" Brian asked. "You sort of look faraway..."

Drew nodded. "I was just thinking of Hope."

"I know you miss her," Brian held her tighter. "But we'll make sure Chloe gets everything we couldn't give to Hope."

"And we'll tell her about her big sister," Drew said softly.

"Everything she could ever want to know," Brian agreed.

"Our sweet girls," Drew said touching the glass.

"Come on," Brian took her hand. "Let's go in there and sit until she wakes up."

"Okay," Drew agreed.

"I can't take my eyes off her," Brian whispered once they'd sat down.

Drew felt the same way. She couldn't stop looking at this amazing little girl.

"She's all ours," Brian couldn't resist touching his daughter's smooth cheek.

"She's perfect," Drew whispered.

"Just like you," Brian agreed as Chloe wrapped her hand around his finger.

"I love it when she does that," Drew said to Brian.

"Makes me feel like I'm protecting her, in an odd way," Brian said.

"You are," Drew said knowing exactly what he meant.

Chloe opened her eyes at that moment and let out a tiny cry.

"Mummy and Daddy are here," Drew cooed eagerly picking her up. "Shhhh...."

"Maybe she's hungry," Brian suggested. "We've been out about four hours now."

"Maybe," Drew said as Chloe's cries subsided. "Hi, sweetheart."

"There we go," Brian grinned. "She knows her mummy's touch."

Drew smiled back at him. "You think so?"

"Definitely," Brian said with pride as Chloe blinked up at them.

"You're the one that's been kicking me all these past few months," Drew said smiling down at her daughter.

"Miss Weasley, if you'd like to feed her, we can help you," a nurse came over.

"Okay," Drew replied. "Thanks, I think she is a little hungry."

Brian stood back as his fiancée prepared to feed their newborn. "You're a natural," he smiled at her.

"I'm not so sure," Drew said with a grin. "This is new to me, Brian."

"Look at her," Brian nodded. "She's happy as can be. That's why you're a natural."

"I just want to be as good a mum as mine," Drew said.

"You will be," Brian assured her. "I know you will be."


-->

156. Chapter 156

Authors’ note: Okay, in honor of Thanksgiving, we’re gonna post a long chapter for you guys. And again, no interview this weekend, but you will have one next Saturday. Please send us your questions for Lavender and Seamus.

CHAPTER ONE HUNDRED FIFTY SIX

Andrew had been a bit mopey ever since Saffron had gone back to school- RJ had tried to cheer him up but he seemed determined to sit around for a good few weeks. Currently, they were listening to a Quidditch match on the Wireless and Serena was due to arrive anytime.

"Your sister rang earlier and wanted to know why you haven't gone to see the new baby," Andrew said during one of the adverts. "She's already a few weeks old, mate."

"I'll go," RJ replied. "When I have more time."

"You're not doing anything right now," Andrew pointed out.

"You asked me to listen to the game with you," RJ returned. "And Serena will be here any minute."

Andrew decided to not say anything about that. "You play the Tornados next week, don't you?"

"Right," RJ nodded. "We're going to kick the shit out of them."

"You could do that blindfolded," Andrew said with a grin. "They're the worst team in the league."

"Tell me about it." he tossed a pillow at his friend. "I still can't believe you beat us."

"It was your only loss this season," Andrew said throwing the pillow back at him.

"And we intend to keep it that way," RJ replied as the fireplace lit up and Serena stumbled through.

"RJ," she coughed. "Do you EVER clean that thing?"

"You look kind of cute all messy," RJ said grinning at her.

Serena pouted. "I look just awful," she glanced over her shoulder. "Hello, Andy."

"Serena," Andrew nodded.

"I'm going to clean up," Serena gave RJ a sooty kiss.

RJ grinned. "Don't be too long."

Serena winked at him before heading off to the loo. Andrew shook his head and stood up to go and grab a beer. As he did so, the letter he'd received from Saffron earlier that day fell to the floor along with some photos she'd sent from their New Year. RJ leaned down to pick it up and froze when he saw a picture of Gabriel and Alexa.

"That was from New Year's," Andrew explained hastily. "It was just the four of us."

"Whatever," RJ said scanning through the pictures. "She's...she's not seeing him, right? I mean, he's back in America..."

"Mate, you two just broke up less than a month ago," Andrew said. "You may have moved on but I don't think she has."

"These pictures tell a different story," RJ said looking at one where Alexa was sitting close to Gabriel.

"You can't possibly tell me you're jealous," Andrew gathered the rest of the pictures and put them on the table. "You've got Serena now. If she wants to go out with Gabriel that's Lex's business."

"I'm not jealous," RJ said defensively. "I just think Boyd is trying to take advantage of her is all."

"He's a nice guy," Andrew went into the icebox for a beer.

"Get me one while you're at it," RJ said not really wanting to talk about Gabriel Boyd and Alexa anymore.

Andrew tossed him a bottle as Serena came back into the room in nothing but one of RJ's shirts. "Um... can I get you something to drink?" Andrew asked her politely, trying to avert his eyes from what the shirt DIDN'T cover.

"What you guys are having is fine," Serena replied flippantly. She did a little twirl for RJ's benefit. "I found this in the back of your closet, I hope you don't mind."

"No," RJ stared brazenly at her. "You are so bloody hot."

Serena grinned. "Thanks."

Andrew handed her a beer. "What brings you by?"

Serena sat down on RJ's lap. "What girl wouldn't want to hang out with the two best Quidditch players in the world?"

"That's right," he said, running his hand up her leg. "That would be me..."

"I think I'll leave you two and get back to the match," Andrew said making his way out of the kitchen, but Serena reached out and grabbed his arm.

"No! I was actually wondering if you'd do me a huge favour, Andy," Serena said with a pout.

"Me?" Andrew asked, his eyebrow raised.

"Your RJ's best friend in the entire world," Serena began. "And I like to think that you are I are friends, too. Don't you?"

"Sure..." Andrew replied warily.

"And your girlfriend doesn't really care for me too much," Serena said. "In fact, she's been really mean..."

"Saffy's fine," Andrew said. "I don't think she's been mean."

"She called me a no-talent slag to my face," Serena pointed out looking at RJ to back her up.

"I'm not going to stay in here if you're going to say shit about my girlfriend," Andrew was starting to grow angry.

"I'm sorry," Serena said hastily. "Look, I really like you, Andy. You've always been sweet to me and I was wondering if...well, my friend Piper is coming to town next weekend. She's been in New York these past few months, but I convinced her to come back home because...."

"What's this have to do with me?" Andrew interjected.

"Well," Serena said coyly. "I sort of promised her we'd go on a double date, and I think she'd be completely PERFECT for you!"

"I have a girlfriend," Andrew reminded her.

"Oh come on," Serena said. "She wouldn't have to know..."

"Yeah," RJ said. "What Saf doesn't know won't hurt her."

"No," Andrew replied. "Why don't you get one of your team mates, RJ."

"Because I want you to do it Andy," Serena smiled as if she was doing HIM a huge favour.

"No, thanks," Andrew said firmly. "I'm going to finish listening to the match."

"But--" Serena's words hung in the air as Andrew left the room.

"I told you he'd never go for it," RJ said putting his arms around her waist.

Serena leaned in and kissed him. "I'll work on him some more. He'd be totally perfect for Piper."

"Saffy'd probably disagree with you," RJ said.

"Who cares what little Sandra thinks," Serena waved her hand.

"Serena," RJ said with a laugh.

Serena straddled his lap. "I hope you didn't make any plans for the rest of today," she said invitingly.

"No," RJ said giving her a kiss. "How about you go get in bed and I'll be right behind you. I think I might still have a bottle of champagne somewhere in the icebox."

"Mmmm..." she grinned. "Perfect..."

He sent her off with a lingering kiss and then set about getting two glasses from the cupboard when he was hit with a memory of Alexa the day he'd first showed her the place.

***

"I'm sure I'm going to love it," Alexa said giggling as they took the lift up to the top floor.

"It's really great," RJ said eagerly. "The sitting room is really cosy and the kitchen- well I won't be cooking but it's really nice too."

"What are you going to do for food?" Alexa asked nudging him. "Oh...wait a minute...since you're so rich and famous...let me guess. You're going to have a personal chef?"

"I should," he grinned, leaning over to give her a kiss. "And not that I'm trying to push you, but wait until you see my bedroom."

Alexa looped her arms around his neck. "Why would I want to see your bedroom?"

"I just have a feeling," RJ said, winding his arms around her. "That someday you and I might spend a lot of time in there."

"Someday," Alexa agreed, feeling quite grown up as he took her hand and led her down the corridor toward his new flat.

"Welcome," he said thickening his accent. "To my humble home..."

"And you're such a humble host," Alexa said giving him a curtsy.

"I try," he picked her up and spun her around. "Isn't this great? We'll have the whole place to ourselves most of the time, and most important, no parents to burst in on us..."

Alexa giggled. "When we're not coming out of your bedroom, you mean?"

"Exactly," RJ gave her a hungry kiss. "I love you so much Lexie."

"I love you too," she whispered. "And I hope we're always this happy."

"We will be," he nodded. "I know it."

Alexa kissed him one more time. "Show me this bedroom of yours. I mean, if we're going to be spending all this time in there..."

"Right," he said huskily. "Come on..."

Alexa followed him to the bedroom which she had to say was quite impressive. There was no furniture in it yet, but there was an amazing view of the river Thames. "Wow," Alexa said softly. "I can imagine waking up to this every morning."

"Maybe after you're done with school you will," RJ slid his arms around her from behind.

"Live together?" Alexa asked leaning against him. "You and me?"

"Sure," he said. "I want to be with you all the time Lexie..."

"You just want someone to cook for you," she said turning her head to grin at him.

"Oh, you guessed it," RJ deadpanned. "I only want you around to cook for me, to clean up after me, and--" his words were cut off as she kissed him.

"And maybe that whenever you want?" Alexa asked when they broke apart.

"I like that," he agreed with a grin. "I love you Lex."

"Love you too," Alexa said looping her arms around his neck. "Always..."

***

Serena waved her hand in front of RJ's face. "Hello? Earth to RJ Weasley..."

"What?" RJ shook his head. "Sorry- spaced out."

Serena rolled her eyes. "I've been waiting for you for over half an hour."

He'd been daydreaming for a half hour? RJ sent Serena his most engaging grin. "I'm sorry," he replied.

"Well, I have to go now," Serena said impatiently. "My manager just rang me."

"Now?" he asked. "I thought we were going to-"

"We were," Serena said briskly. "But you were too busy staring into space."

"Come on," RJ put his arms around her. "I'll stop by later, all right? We can pick up where we left off..."

"Maybe," Serena said wriggling away from him. "Laters..."

"Are you mad at me?" RJ asked crossly.

"You left me waiting in your bedroom for half an hour," Serena said glaring at him. "My time is valuable, RJ. You just remember that next time you decide to keep me waiting."

RJ rolled his eyes. "Whatever."

"Whatever," Serena repeated before stalking out of the kitchen. She didn't even say goodbye to Andrew as she grabbed a handful of floo powder.

Andrew turned down the Wireless and went into the kitchen. "She didn't go away happy..."

"She can be a real pain in the ass," RJ said shortly.

Andrew couldn't have agreed more, but he decided to keep quiet on that point. "So...what happened?"

"I just sort of spaced out for a bit and she went into a strop over it," RJ grabbed himself a beer.

"What were you thinking about?" Andrew asked.

"Just stuff," RJ hedged.

"Well, Serena seems like the type that likes all the attention on her," Andrew said diplomatically.

"Let's go back and listen to the game," RJ said abruptly.

"Right," Andrew said grabbing a beer before following his friend into the sitting room.

"I really can't wait for the Tornados game next week," RJ said to him. "It's going to be a lot of fun to run them into the ground."

"Well, they're playing pretty well this match," Andrew said. "They're ahead by 40 points."

"We're still better than them," RJ declared. "We're the best team!"

"And definitely the most humble," Andrew said sarcastically.

RJ tossed his beer cap at his friend in response.

They listened to the rest of the match, but try as he might to concentrate on the match, RJ couldn't stop thinking about Alexa.

"Okay," Andrew said evenly once the match was over. "Where the hell is your head?"

"Hmmm?" RJ responded absently.

Andrew rolled his eyes. "Earth to RJ."

"Sorry," RJ said sheepishly. "I've just got a lot on my mind."

"Like what?" Andrew prodded.

"Lexie," RJ said quietly.

"You miss her," Andrew stated. "And you wish you hadn't broken up don't you?"

RJ nodded.

"Maybe it's not too late to patch things up," Andrew suggested.

"She's not going to take me back after how I treated her," RJ said.

"Maybe you can try," Andrew said.

"You think?" RJ asked a hopeful tone to his voice. She had kissed him back at first at Emma's party. And she'd gone after him when he'd left.

"It couldn't hurt to try," Andrew said. "I know it'd be nice to be able to double with you two again."

"Better than doubling with me, Serena and Piper, you mean?" RJ asked with a grin.

"Not that I wanted to," Andrew said. "But I wouldn't do that to Saffy."

"I told her it was a terrible idea," RJ said shaking his head. "But she does what she wants."

Andrew grinned at him. "I'm going to go write to her now," he said. "Want me to have her say anything to Lex?"

RJ vehemently shook his head. "No... She hates me. I don't think she'll be ready to put in a good word for me, but thanks."

Andrew nodded and left for his room.

RJ sat on the sofa for a few moments trying to decide the best way to get back into Alexa's good graces. He knew it was a bit of a cliché, but roses always helped and he knew that his girlfriend loved pink roses.

He was about to go out and order some to send to Hogwarts when the fireplace whooshed to life and he was surprised to see Serena step through again.

"Hello," she said coolly, brushing the soot off her cloak.

"Hey," he said. "I um... didn't expect to see you back here."

"Neither did I," she said dropping her cloak on the floor. "But I thought I'd give you one more chance."

RJ raised an eyebrow.

"There are a million blokes out there who would love to be in your shoes," Serena said loftily. "And you need to know that I'm not going to stick around if you don't appreciate me."

"I appreciate you," RJ said evenly. "But I'm also not going to fall at your feet."

"You would if I were Alexa O'Dreary," Serena pouted.

"Leave Lexie out of this," RJ replied. "Serena, you know I like you--"

"I don't know that," Serena said poking out her bottom lip.

"Of course I do," RJ stepped towards her. "I wouldn't be with you if I didn't. I'm not the type of guy to shag a girl JUST because she's gorgeous."

"Then why are you with me?" Serena asked.

"Because I have fun with you," RJ said. "Being with you is different than being with Alexa."

Serena smiled at him. "I don't want to be with someone who'd rather be with someone else. So if I'm wasting my time here, just let me know..."

RJ thought for a split second. It was true he missed Alexa, but he was very much enjoying his relationship with Serena. She was fun, outgoing, and stunning. "You're not," he replied.

"You gonna make this up to me then?" Serena asked touching his cheek.

"Sure," he said, crushing her lips to his.

In the meantime Andrew had finished writing to Saffron and was going to leave the letter by the door so he wouldn't forget to post it tomorrow morning. He also had an idea for RJ to make things up to Alexa that involved the next Hogsmeade weekend. He made it to the sitting room when he saw his best mate going at it with Serena Starr.

"RJ," he said, shaking his head in disappointment.

Serena giggled when she spotted Andrew. "Hiya, Andy!"

"Hi..." he said, unsmiling.

"Come on, RJ," Serena said tugging at his hand. "Let's go to your bedroom."

"Yeah, Junior," Andrew said glaring at him. "You'd better go before you change your mind again..."

"He's not about to," Serena said happily. "By the way Andy, I talked to Piper and she really, really wants to meet you. So I hope YOU will change YOUR mind."

"Don't count on it," Andrew said bitterly. "I know this is a foreign concept for some people, but I actually love my girlfriend and wouldn't do anything to mess that up."

"Come on," RJ tugged Serena's hand.

"Night, Andy," Serena said waving at him.

Andrew didn't respond, he only took the letter he'd just written and ripped it up.

"He sure is grumpy," Serena whispered to RJ. "I think Sandra is rubbing off on him."

"Let's not worry about him," RJ said, nibbling under her ear. "Let's go have some fun."

Serena giggled. "Fabulous idea."

*** *** ***

They’d been married for almost six months now and Maddie and Ethan still felt very much like newlyweds. Even though they were both quite busy with their respective jobs, they always tried to make time for each other whenever they could. Tonight was no exception.

Maddie left work early and had prepared a romantic dinner for them. She’d lied to Ethan that she’d be working late and she couldn’t wait to see the look on his face when he came home.

Blue was with Frankie, Will and Hannah tonight so he wouldn’t be a distraction.

Ethan had also thought he'd be working late but his father had let him go a bit early after seeing how tired his son was. He stumbled out of the fireplace, covering his mouth while he yawned so he wouldn't inhale any soot.

Maddie smoothed down her dress. "Mr. Potter, is that you?"

"Yeah," Ethan answered as he dropped his bag in the hall. "Where are you Mrs. Potter?"

"In the kitchen," Maddie called out.

Ethan brushed off his shoulders and headed in to see his wife. "Mads..." he said, his eyes wide.

"You like?" Maddie asked grinning at him. "I made Chicken Masala."

"It smells fantastic," Ethan said, pulling her close. "And you look absolutely gorgeous."

"Courtesy of a shopping trip with Frankie," Maddie said giving him a kiss.

Ethan wound his arms around her and deepened the kiss. "Merlin I am so glad to be alone with you tonight."

"Tough day?" Maddie asked sympathetically.

"Just long," he answered, running his hands up and down her back.

"You're home now," Maddie said softly.

"With you," Ethan answered huskily.

"With me," Maddie said giving him another kiss.

"You know," Ethan said, backing her up towards the counter. "I love this married thing more and more every day."

"It gets better each and every day," Maddie agreed. "I mean we have had our fights, but making up can be so much fun...”

"Exactly," he tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. "I love you so much Mads."

"I love you too," Maddie said beaming at him. "I always have."

Ethan kissed her again. "Where's Blue?"

"With the Barrons," Maddie replied.

"So we really are all alone," Ethan said with a grin.

"Completely," Maddie giggled. "But first...we have to eat. I worked really hard on this."

"I can't wait to taste it," Ethan said as she tugged on his hand.

"I promise I won't eat off your plate," Maddie said.

Ethan pretended to be shocked. "After I've come to expect it?"

Maddie nudged him in the ribs. "Just for that, you can pour the wine, mister."

"I can do that," he grinned at her.

Maddie couldn't help smiling as she put their plates on the table.

"This is really nice," Ethan said when they sat down.

"Thanks," Maddie said grinning at him.

"And you look really, really nice," Ethan gave her body an appreciative glance.

"You're not so bad either," Maddie said flirtatiously.

"In these?" Ethan asked. "Actually, do you mind if I go change into something a bit more comfortable before we start?"

"Not at all," Maddie replied.

"Thanks," he gave her a quick kiss. "Be back in a flash."

Maddie sat there for a couple of seconds before she had an idea. She picked up her wand and put a warming charm on their plates. They'd get to this eventually, she thought as she made her way upstairs.

Ethan had just stripped down to his boxers when he heard the door click shut behind him.

"I thought dinner could wait awhile," Maddie purred.

Ethan raised an eyebrow. "Okay..." he answered as she pushed one of the straps of her dress off her shoulder.

"I thought we could have dessert first," Maddie said stepping closer.

"Are you said dessert?" Ethan asked, his eyes darkening with desire.

"I could be," Maddie replied softly.

"I hope you are," Ethan said. "Because if you are, I think I'm very, very hungry for dessert."

Maddie turned around. "Could you give me a hand getting out of this dress?"

"I'll give you more than a hand," Ethan replied huskily.

Maddie shivered as Ethan eased the zipper of her dress down.

He let his fingers trail over her skin as he slid the dress off her shoulders. Pressing his lips to the side of her neck, Ethan was pleased to feel her body respond to his touch.

"Ethan," Maddie whispered.

He slid the dress down so it pooled at her feet before turning her around.

Maddie was about to say something to him, but he pulled her close and crashed his lips to hers.

"Mmm..." she said, wrapping her arms around his neck and pulling him towards the bed.

"Maddie Molly," Ethan said bringing her down with him.

"I love when you call me that," she purred.

"Maddie Molly," Ethan whispered against her skin. "Maddie....Maddie Molly..."

Maddie nearly cried out as Ethan's tongue touched her skin.

With his free hand, he slid her knickers off.

"Yes...." she dragged the word out. "Ethan..."

"You know, I could get used to this," Ethan said positioning himself over her. "Dessert first..."

Maddie giggled. "Especially when it's me."

"There's no one else," Ethan said giving her a kiss. "No one else, ever."

"Same here," Maddie brushed his hair out of his eyes. "It's always been you for me Ethan."

He leaned down and kissed her again as he slid into her.

"Oooh," her body rose clear off the bed.

"Mads," Ethan said smiling at her.

"I love you so much," Maddie gazed up at him, her blue eyes clouded over.

Ethan trailed kisses down her neck and shoulder. He couldn't get enough of his wife.

"Ethan please," she murmured. "Don't make me wait..."

He pressed further into her, gripping her tightly.

Maddie closed her eyes and cried out as she arched her back, pulling him in as far as possible.

"Maddie Molly," Ethan breathed.

"Ethan James..." she managed.

He couldn't stop the smile that played at his lips as he looked down at his wife.

She grinned back at him as he collapsed on top of her.

"Delicious," he said with a grin. "My compliments to the beautiful chef."

"She made it all just for you," Maddie ran her fingers through his hair.

He kissed her softly. "Thank you."

"I'd do anything for you," Maddie said. "I love you so much Ethan. Being married to you is wonderful."

"I'd do anything for you too," Ethan whispered. "And I'm so lucky to have you."

"That goes both ways," she agreed. "Come on, if you're hungry I kept dinner warm for us."

Ethan reluctantly stood up and reached for his discarded boxers. "I don't know if dinner can top dessert, Mads."

"Maybe not," she said with a grin. "But it might be fun to try..."

*** *** ***

Chloe McGregor had been home for a few weeks and Drew and Brian found that they loved every moment about being parents. Currently, Darla was just feeding Chloe after her kip and Brian was preparing them something for dinner.

"She just made the cutest face!" Drew laughed. "Brian come here and look!"

"Every face she makes is cute," Brian said coming out of the kitchen.

"I know but look at the way she scrunches up her mouth," Drew said with a grin.

Brian looked over his wife's shoulder and grinned when he saw Chloe. "I've seen you make that face before."

Drew smiled. "She's just so beautiful," she stroked her daughter's cheek with her free hand.

"She takes after her mum," Brian said fondly.

The doorbell chimed and Brian went to answer it. Someone was at the door, but their face was obscured by what looked like about 20 packages.

"Someone help!" Darla's voice called out.

Brian took the packages from her. "What's all this?" he asked his sister-in-law.

"Presents," Darla said as if Brian was asking a stupid question. "For Chloe."

"We haven't finished going through what you sent her before," Brian mused as he kicked the door shut. "And nice as it was of you, she's far too young for a rocking horse, Darla."

"She'll grow into it Brian," Darla walked past him and into the sitting room.

"Dar, what are you doing here?" Drew asked her. "You were just here this morning..."

"I missed you," Darla replied. "And I wanted to see Chloe again."

Drew smiled at her. "Would you like to hold her?"

"Do you even have to ask," Darla held her arms out for the little bundle.

Drew handed her daughter over. "You didn't bring more presents did you?"

"Just a few," Darla said defensively.

"You've already given us so much," Drew said patting her sister's shoulder.

"I can't help it," Darla kissed Chloe's forehead. "She's just so bloody sweet and she's so gorgeous."

"I couldn't agree more, even if I am biased," Drew said with a grin.

Brian came back into the room with the packages. "Thanks for the help, Darla."

"My hands are full," Darla teased.

"Let's open them up," Drew suggested. "See what Super Aunt brought for us."

"Go ahead," Darla held Chloe even closer. "I'll just sit with her."

Drew sat down on the sofa and started to open one of the packages. The doorbell chimed again and Brian laughed. "Don't tell me. You've bought her a swing set and the delivery men are here?"

"No," Darla stuck out her tongue. "But what an excellent idea!"

Brian just shook his head as he went to answer the door.

"RJ!" he said in surprise when he saw his future brother in law. "We didn't know you were coming by!"

"I figured it was about time," RJ replied.

"We can't stay very long," Serena said stepping out from behind him. "We have a huge party to go to."

"Oh..." Brian looked at her. "It's um... nice to see you too..." he remembered that this girl was some famous singer but couldn't think of her name.

"Who was at the door, Bri?" Drew asked. She broke out into a grin when she saw her little brother. "RJ!"

"Hey Drew," he grinned at his sister. "You're looking good, MUM."

Drew beamed at him and enveloped him in a big hug. "I've missed you. We haven't seen you since that dinner at Mum and Dad's weeks ago."

"I know," RJ held up a box. "I bought something for the baby and thought it was time I came by to meet her."

Drew took the box. "That's really sweet of you, RJ. Come on in."

RJ took Serena's hand as they went inside. "Can I get you two anything to drink?" Brian offered.

"Butterbeer would be nice," RJ replied. "Serena?"

"Butterbeer is so fattening," Serena waved her hand. "Sparkling water will do."

"Sure," Brian said sharing a look with his fiancée before going into the kitchen.

Darla looked up in surprise when she saw her brother. "Look, Chloe. It's a complete and utter stranger..."

"Very funny, Dar." RJ said sarcastically. "Let me see her."

Darla giggled. "Okay, okay, but I get her back when you're through."

"Hey there," RJ grinned at the baby in his arms.

Serena examined her nails and looked disinterested at what was going on around her.

Drew sat down and opened up RJ's present. "RJ, this is fantastic!"

RJ had bought his newest niece a mobile for over her crib. "I wasn't sure if she had one already..." he said.

"She does, but this one is so much nicer," Drew reassured him. "Thank you."

"Sure," RJ said. "Drew she's so cute."

"You should get her some hair extensions," Serena said thoughtfully.

"I beg your pardon?" Drew asked.

"She'd look better with long hair," Serena explained.

"Serena she's just an infant," RJ looked at her like she'd gone mad.

"It's never too early to be thinking about these things," Serena said rolling her eyes. "Besides, you don't want people mistaking her for a boy, do you?"

"I highly doubt that's going to happen," Drew exchanged an incredulous look with her twin.

Serena shrugged. "And you really shouldn't dress her in yellow...it really doesn't do anything for her."

"Serena," RJ said. "She's JUST an infant and my sister knows how to clothe her, all right?"

"Whatever," Serena said with a sigh.

"So, how have you been?" Drew asked her brother, eager to change the subject. "We've listened to all your matches."

"Season's going great except for losing that one match to Wimbourne," RJ replied. "We're a shoo in for the Cup."

"That's fantastic, RJ," Darla said to him. "Hans and I were thinking we'd go to your next match."

"Oooh, who's Hans?" Serena asked eagerly.

"Hans is my fiancé," Darla said to her. "We just got engaged a few months ago."

Realisation suddenly hit Serena as she remembered RJ telling her about a male model that his sister was dating. "Oh my God! Not Hans Feinbach?"

"The one and only," Darla answered.

"He's so hot," Serena said admiringly. "Way to go, Darla."

"Thanks," Darla seemed amused.

Brian came back into the room with the drinks. "Here you go."

"Is this Swiss water?" Serena asked. "Because only French make good sparkling water."

"It's all that we had," Brian apologised. "I can get you something from the tap, if you like..."

"It'll do," RJ cast her an exasperated look. "Serena I'm sure it's fine."

Serena glared at him. "I guess if it's all they have."

Drew rolled her eyes at her fiancé. "Let's go hang this over Chloe's crib," she said.

"Good idea," Brian said following her.

"So when is the wedding?" Serena asked Darla. "Is it going to be the ceremony of the century?"

"June," Darla replied. "And we're really going to keep it low-key. Just family and a few friends."

"Hans Feinbach wants a small wedding?" Serena asked. "But he's always at those big parties!"

"He goes to those because he's obligated," Darla said. "But he really doesn't like that scene, Serena."

"Could have fooled me," Serena shrugged. "He is quite hot though."

"So you've said," Darla said forcing a smile.

"She reminds me of Em," RJ said looking down at his niece who was staring up at him with tired eyes.

"It's funny," Darla moved next to her brother. "She's got those dark eyes, but she does sort of resemble Em..."

"And just like Em, she's completely charmed by me," RJ said with a grin.

"Her only fault," Darla joked.

"Yeah, yeah," RJ said laughing.

"The mobile looks great," Drew reported. "Thanks again RJ. Chloe's going to love it."

"I hope so," RJ said handing the baby back to her. "She's gorgeous, Drew."

"Thanks RJ," Drew said proudly. "I'm so glad you got to finally meet her."

"Me too," RJ said taking a swig of his butterbeer.

"What's this party you two are heading for?" Brian asked conversationally.

"It's nothing major," RJ said. "Just a few guys from the team."

"Scanlon always throws the best parties," Serena replied.

"They can get pretty wild," RJ admitted.

"Sounds like a lot of fun," Darla said. "Does Frankie ever show up for those?"

"Not to any of the ones I've been to," RJ replied. "I think she's happier staying with Will and Hannah."

"Hannah's cute," Darla nodded. "Frankie's brought her by the office a few times to say hello. She's really coming out of her shell."

"Do you ever talk about anything but babies and kids?" Serena asked bluntly.

"I beg your pardon?" Drew asked.

Serena blushed. "I didn't mean to say that out loud. Sorry!"

"Serena," RJ was embarrassed. "Maybe we should get going..."

"It just seems like whenever I go somewhere to meet your family, there's always babies and kids around and if they're not there, you're always talking about them," Serena tried to explain. "I just think there's more important things to talk about..."

"I come from a big family," RJ told her. "There just happen to be a lot of kids around, and we all enjoy it."

"Family is very important to us," Darla said her dislike for RJ's new girlfriend growing by the minute.

Serena sniffed. "I'm sure that's all well for you--"

"We really should be going," RJ cut her off.

"Don't be a stranger," Darla hugged her brother. "We miss you RJ."

"I miss you guys too," RJ said hugging her back. "Serena really doesn't mean any harm."

Darla kept her lips shut tightly. "Stop by anytime you feel like it okay?"

"I'll try," RJ said moving on to his other sister. "She really is gorgeous, Drew. I'm sorry it took me so long to getting round to meet her."

"Now that you have, do it more often," Drew teased. "She's going to love her uncle, just like her cousins do."

RJ grinned. "I hope so. See you, Drew. Brian."

"Well..." Darla said once they'd left. "I really don't like her."

"Can you believe her?" Drew asked. "She thought we should get Chloe hair extensions!"

"Guys, I know you don't like her, but your brother obviously does," Brian said diplomatically.

"We'd never be rude to her face Bri," Drew told her fiancé. "But if she wants to be with RJ, she's going to have to deal with him being part of a big family."

"Instead of trying to isolate him from all of us," Darla agreed.

"She's interesting, I will say that." Brian sat down and took Chloe.

"So says the bloke," Darla teased.

Chloe opened her eyes and looked up at her father, letting out a soft coo.

"Hiya, little one," Brian whispered touching her cheek. "My sweet girl."

"She has a thing for holding onto his finger," Drew told her sister. "It's so cute. I think I've taken about a hundred pictures just of that."

Darla smiled. "That is adorable."

"I think she might be ready for a kip," Brian said.

"Oooh, can I put her down?" Darla asked eagerly. "Please?"

"Sure," Brian said. "Just make sure you start the mobile. She likes to have something playing in the background when she falls asleep."

Darla took the baby from him and carried her to the nursery.

"What are you making for dinner?" Drew asked Brian. "It smells delicious."

"Some leftover curry that we had in the icebox," Brian told her.

"Sounds wonderful," Drew said picking up one of Darla's packages. "I'll see if Dar wants to join us."

"All right," Brian pulled her close and kissed her.

"I love you," Drew said smiling at him.

"Love you," he pushed her hair back.

Drew started to giggle. "Hair extensions."

"Good grief," Brian muttered. "I will admit that was a bit mad of her...

"I think Chloe's hair is perfect," Drew said.

"Everything about her is perfect," Brian said. "She looks like you."

"Obviously that's why she's perfect," Drew said with a grin. "And she has my dad wrapped around her little finger. When he and Mum stopped by, I saw him singing to her. He can't carry a tune, but it was the most adorable thing."

"That is cute," Brian agreed. "Dad and my step mum are head over heels as well."

"She has that effect on people," Drew said opening up a package and grinning when she saw what was inside. She pulled out a small white t-shirt. "My Aunt Loves Me"," Drew read aloud. "Why do I think she's not talking about Maddie?"

"Darla is too much," Brian shook his head with a grin.

"It is a cute shirt," Drew said folding it up and setting it on the coffee table.

"She's out like a light," Darla came back in.

"Thanks for putting her down, Dar," Drew said.

"Anytime," Darla replied. "And when you two want a babysitter, I get first dibs."

"We'll remember that," Drew said. "But I'm not ready to leave her just yet, Darla."

Darla waved her hand. "I'm talking about in the future. I get first dibs over everyone."

"Okay," Drew said with a grin. "You've got yourself a deal."

"I should get going," Darla reached for her bag. "Hans isn't home until late tonight but--"

"Stay for dinner," Drew interjected. "Please. We're having leftover curry and there's more than enough."

"Really?" Darla asked. "Sure, I'd love to stay."

"Fantastic," Drew said. "And we can talk more about Serena the Diva."

"Maybe I should go out for dinner," Brian shook his head.

"We'll go easy on her," Drew said. "We promise."

RJ though wasn't going easy on her. Ever since they'd left Drew and Brian's, he'd given her the silent treatment. They were now at Scanlon's flat and Serena was tugging on his arm. "Let's dance."

RJ shrugged away. "Scanlon," he called out. "Where's the brew?"

Serena rolled her eyes. "Maybe you'd like a juice box since you're acting like a spoiled child."

"Fuck off," RJ answered.

Scanlon pressed a bottle in RJ's hand. "Here you go, mate."

"Thanks," RJ pulled back hard on the bottle.

"I can't believe you're being like this," Serena said haughtily. "You were so much fun when we first got together and now you always act so angry when I say anything."

"Well maybe if you thought about what you said before you said it, I wouldn't get so angry," RJ hissed. "You know you're making it really hard for my family to like you."

"Well I TOLD you that I'm not good with families," Serena countered.

"You could make a bloody effort," RJ retorted.

"Not if you're always going to persecute me," Serena sniffed.

RJ glared at her. Times like this he truly wondered what he saw in her. She was truly more trouble than she was worth.

"Forget it," RJ muttered. "Just forget all this, okay?"

"I'm going to get a drink," Serena said tossing her hair over her shoulder. "And when I get back, I hope you're ready to apologise."

"Then you'll be waiting a long time," RJ said but she didn't hear. He rolled his eyes and headed over to where some of his team mates were standing.

"You ready for next weekend's match, Weasley?" Scanlon asked.

"Hell yeah," RJ said. "It's the one that's going to get us in the Cup. I don't plan on letting anything get by me."

"You'd better not," Scanlon said. "And you don't need any distractions."

"I don't have any," RJ said. "Not anymore."

"Trouble in paradise?" Scanlon asked.

"There is no paradise," RJ stated.

"You damn near got it with her," Scanlon said motioning toward Serena.

"She's too high maintenance," Murphy disagreed. "It would get old after awhile."

"Murph's right," RJ nodded. "She's fun but not long term material."

"Your ex seemed to have both," Murphy said. "Alexa, right?"

"Yeah," RJ pulled back again and nearly finished the bottle.

"You want another?" Scanlon offered.

"Sure," RJ replied. "Keep 'em coming."

Scanlon went off to get them both another bottle.

"You alright?" Murphy asked RJ.

"Fine," RJ shrugged.

"Look, when I first started a few years back," Murphy said. "I was like a kid in a candy shop. I was out partying and drinking every chance I got. I know that you're not wanting a lecture or anything, but take it from me. You need to remember who was there for you before all this happened, mate. Those are the people that really care. They're the ones that matter."

"I know," RJ nodded. "I think things are all but completely over with me and Serena."

"She probably won't take it too well," Murphy said. "I remember when she was going out with Reaves."

"Just how many team members has she dated?" RJ asked.

"I think I hold the distinction of being the only one of the starting seven that she hasn't," Murphy replied. "And that's because I'm too old and happily married."

RJ smiled at him. "You're hardly old Murph."

"You've obviously drank too much," Murphy said with a laugh.

"Not yet," RJ raised his bottle. "But I plan to."

"Take it easy," Murphy said clapping him on the back.

Serena joined them and she glared at RJ. "I won't be needing you to take me home, RJ."

"I wasn't planning to," RJ said coolly.

"Fine," Serena scoffed. "I'm going home with Jamie. He knows how to treat a woman."

"Have fun," RJ shrugged. He couldn't care less what she did anymore.

"I will," Serena said. "And don't think you can come back. We're over. O-V-E-R, over."

"Fine," he said. "We're over."

Serena stalked away.

"Well done," Murphy said raising his glass at RJ.

"I think I need to stay single for awhile," RJ said. "Going from one girl to the other makes my head spin."

"I think that's very wise," Murphy said.

"Did I tell you I have a new niece?" RJ asked.

"No," Murphy said with a grin. "Congratulations, mate. What's her name?"

"Chloe," RJ answered. "She's really cute too. I should have some pictures soon."

"Speaking of pictures," Murphy said reaching for his wallet. "This is Nora's latest school picture. Five years old going on 18."

RJ laughed. "She's lucky she takes after Kate."

"Don't I know it," Murphy said. "And I'm lucky Kate took me back."

"What do you mean?' RJ asked.

"Well, Kate was my childhood sweetheart, right?" Murphy explained. "I sort of went crazy my first couple of seasons and we broke things off. Then, when I was basically at rock bottom, I went home to recover from an injury and she stopped by to check on me and well, we've been together ever since."

"Wow," RJ mused. "That sort of sounds like what I did to Lexie."

"I was a complete arse to her," Murphy said. "And I really had to make it up to her."

"I doubt she'd even take me back at this point," RJ said.

"That's what I thought about Kate," Murphy said. "But you're right, RJ. You need some time by yourself to figure all this out."

"Thanks Murph," RJ said. "I'm glad you've been around."

"No problem," Murphy said. "And if you'll excuse me, I'm going to say my goodbyes and get back home. I want to tuck Nora in."

"See you mate," RJ waved.

Serena was currently on the dance floor hanging all over Jamie, but RJ could care less.

"What's up with that?" Scanlon joined RJ and nodded towards the blonde.

"She's trying to make me jealous," RJ said with a shrug.

"You don't seem to upset," Scanlon handed him another beer.

"I'm not," RJ said. "She can do what she wants. I feel sorry for Jamie."

"She does like to make her way around," Scanlon grinned. "Jamie will be old news in a few more weeks."

"How'd you get away from her?" RJ asked him.

"The thing with me and Serena is that we never truly became a couple," Scanlon said. "We go out sometimes and all that, but we haven't ever been exclusive."

"Were you seeing her while she was with me?" RJ asked point blank.

"No," Scanlon said. "The last time we went out was that Christmas party- where I recall she left with you."

RJ nodded. "Sorry about that, mate. "

"Like I said, she and I were never exclusive," Scanlon shrugged.

"Did you ever try and introduce her to your family?" RJ asked.

"Hell no," Scanlon laughed. "She always hightails it the other way when family comes into the picture."

"Wonder why that is," RJ said thoughtfully.

"She never says," Scanlon replied.

RJ watched her. "Well, it's not my concern anymore."

"You'll get someone new," Scanlon clapped his shoulder.

"Nah," RJ said. "I don't really care about someone new."

"Playing the field is fun too," Scanlon agreed. "Just don't let it hurt your game."

"When you're this good nothing can hurt your game," RJ said with a grin.

"Yeah, yeah," Scanlon was laughing. "You are too good Weasley."

"Bout time you admitted it," RJ said.

"I only admit it because you're on MY team," Scanlon replied.

RJ laughed but that laughter died when Serena came over with Jamie. "We're going now, Todd. Thank you for inviting us."

"Alright Serena," Scanlon nodded. "Have a good one."

"We will," Serena cooed. "Come on Jamie."

Jamie looked as if he'd won a million pounds. "Right," he said, trailing behind her.

"Poor bloke doesn't know what's about to hit him," RJ said shaking his head.

"Well you have fun," Scanlon said. "I've got to go make my rounds. There's a group of ladies in the corner that have yet the pleasure of making my acquaintance."

"Right," RJ said with a laugh. "I actually think I might head on out. Maybe go and see my brother."

"Either way, have a good one," Scanlon thumped him on the back and left.

RJ looked at his watch. It was just gone nine in the evening. He hadn't been round to see Emma, Caroline and Adam since Emma's birthday party. Perhaps, they'd still be awake.

Saying a quick goodbye to his team mates, he left for Jon and Allison's house on the other side of town.

Emma was sitting in front of Adam's bouncy seat and held up a block. "A," she said putting it in front of him. "You're name starts with that!"

"Em that's a C," Caroline giggled from the sofa where she was doing her homework.

"Oh," Emma said. "Sissy, where is A?"

Caroline pointed to one of the blocks by Emma's foot. "That's an A."

"Kay," Emma grinned at her. "Thanks."

"Ten minutes and then you two girls are going to bed," Allison announced from the kitchen.

"Can't we stay up just a little later?" Caroline wheedled.

"You said that ten minutes ago," Allison reminded her. "And no, you can't. It's a school night."

Caroline frowned as she finished the last of her homework.

Emma jumped when the doorbell chimed. "Mummy! Someone's here!"

Allison was surprised when she opened the door to see her brother in law standing there. "RJ?"

"HI, Allie," RJ said stuffing his hands in his pockets. "I know it's late..."

"Uncle RJ!" Emma squealed launching herself at him.

"Hey Em," RJ scooped her up.

"Em missed you!" Emma said giving him a hug.

"I missed you too Em," RJ kissed her on the cheek as Caroline appeared and threw herself at him too.

"Quite a welcome," Allison said ushering him inside. "It's great to see you, RJ."

"We haven't seen you in so long," Caroline said.

"I know," RJ apologised. "But that's going to change."

"Wait until you see Adam," Allison said. "He's gotten so big since you saw him last, RJ."

"I can't wait," RJ said. "Is Jon around?"

"He's in the backyard with Max," Allison told him.

"Great," RJ said as Caroline and Emma pulled on his arms.

"Come see Adam first," Caroline said leading the way into the sitting room.

"Em takes good care of Adam," Emma told her uncle.

"I heard that you did," RJ said with a grin. He knelt down in front of his nephew. "Hey, little guy. You are getting big!"

Adam gurgled and waved his little hands at him.

"What's this?" Jon was in the doorway clutching his chest. "Does the famous Quidditch star grace us with his presence?"

"Very funny," RJ said over his shoulder.

"We weren't expecting you," Jon said, sitting down on the sofa. "What brings you by?"

"I just wanted to see you guys," RJ replied sitting down on the floor. Emma quickly crawled into his lap. "And since you're a lot more fun than Joshie, you won."

"I'll have to tell him you said that," Jon said with a wicked grin.

"My friend Michael thinks you're the greatest player in the whole world," Caroline told him. "He says that you're the reason Puddlemere is winning."

"You'll have to tell him I said thanks," RJ grinned. "And tell him we'll be headed for the Cup after next weekend."

"Can we go?" Caroline asked eagerly.

"If your mum and dad say its okay, I'm sure I can scrounge up some tickets," RJ replied as Emma bounced excitedly.

"Em loves Quitch!" Emma exclaimed.

"Oh yeah?" RJ tickled her. "Are you going to play someday?"

Emma giggled. "Yes!"

"Can you play Quidditch and be a dancer at the same time?" Caroline asked. "Cause if you can, I'm gonna do it."

Jon laughed. "You want to do it all, Angel?"

"I want to," Caroline answered with a grin.

"I bet you could," RJ said encouragingly.

Caroline beamed at him.

"So where's um... Serena?" Jon didn't really want to bring her up but he was curious.

"I don't know," RJ replied laughing at the face Adam was making. "And I don't care."

"Did you two have a fight?" Allison asked.

"Let's just say I finally realised she and I weren't going to be anything long-term and I cut my losses while I still could," RJ said.

Jon and Allison exchanged surprised looks. "Well I'm sure you're doing what's best for you," Allison said.

Caroline clapped her hands. "Are you and Lexie going to be boyfriend and girlfriend again?"

"I'm...I'm not sure, Caroline," RJ said taken aback at her questioning. "Maybe someday."

"Em likes Lexie," Emma told her uncle. "Em no like other one."

"Em!" Allison exclaimed. "Baby--"

RJ shook his head. "Its okay, Allie."

"Mummy," Caroline began. "Since Uncle RJ's here can we stay up just a little bit longer?"

"Well---" Allison hedged.

"Please," RJ and Caroline echoed with Emma chiming in with "Peas?"

"Come on Al," Jon nudged her. "A little while couldn't hurt."

"Okay," she relented.

"Yay," Caroline hugged her mother. "Thank you thank you!"

"You're welcome," Allison said with a laugh. "RJ, have you had dinner yet? We have some leftover chicken. I could warm you up a plate."

"Actually that sounds fantastic," RJ said. "As long as you wouldn’t mind..."

"It's no trouble," Allison said before going into the kitchen.

Emma tugged on RJ's sleeve. "Can Em have bite? Little one?"

"Emma," Jon laughed. "You let uncle RJ eat. If you take a bite there won't be anything left!"

"Peas?" Emma asked giving RJ her Maddie look.

"You are too much like your aunt," RJ shook his head.

"Emma Madeline," Jon warned. "Max does enough begging- you don't need to as well."

RJ couldn’t remember the last time he'd had this much fun.

"Maddie's been coaching Em and Hannah," Caroline told her uncle.

"Passing along the look eh?" RJ asked. "I'm sure she'll be teaching it to Chloe too."

"No one can do it like Maddie though," Jon said shaking his head. "The things that girl was able to get out of ..."

"I can't think of a single time she got into trouble," RJ remembered. "Even when she had Dolly and that pixie would tear the house apart, all she had to do was give Dad the look and all would be well."

"Did you get into trouble a lot?" Caroline asked RJ.

"I got into my fair share," RJ grinned at her. "So did your dad."

"I was perfect," Jon said. "I never got into trouble."

RJ guffawed. "Yeah right. Your silly string in the Gryffindor Common Room is still legendary... as was your punishment for doing it."

"Um, that was all part of my plan to get Al to notice me," Jon said defensively. "And McGonagall totally overreacted."

"She made you clean every bit up by hand," RJ cackled. "In an hour no less...

"How about we talk about the time we took you fishing and you fell out of the boat?" Jon asked. "I'd rather talk about that."

"You fell out of the boat?" Caroline giggled.

"No thanks to your dad and Josh," RJ muttered.

"Daddy tell," Emma begged.

Jon laughed. "We were at Brighton and we decided to go fishing with your Uncle Josh. It was the first time your uncle had ever been fishing and we're not out there an hour before he gets a bite on his line. Well, he freaked out and dropped his pole into the water..."

Caroline and Emma both giggled. "What happened next?"

"Josh and I told him he had to jump in and get it," Jon said laughing to hard he was barely able to get that out. "He refused and so Josh starts rocking the boat a little..."

"And I fell in," RJ finished.

"You're silly Uncle RJ," Caroline was still giggling.

RJ reached for her and tickled her side. "You are, Caroline!"

Emma squealed. "Sissy ticklish here!" she reached under her sister's arms.

"Em!" Caroline protested, giggling.

"I see," RJ laughed too as Allison came back into the room.

"Here you go," Allison said, setting the plate on the coffee table.

"That smells fantastic Allie," RJ said gratefully. "Thank you so much."

"You're welcome," Allison said smiling at him. "We're just so happy to see you."

Emma poked him in the shoulder. "Bite?"

"Emma!" Jon said. "Sorry RJ..."

"No, she can have a bite," RJ said cutting her a piece. "Here you go, Em."

"Yummy," Emma declared.

RJ laughed. "I agree."

"That's why Al's helped us plan the new menu at the pub," Jon told his brother. "It's been a huge hit."

"I'll need to stop by and sample it," RJ said.

"You're welcome anytime," Jon told him. "We definitely need to see more of you Junior."

Emma gave him a hug. "Peas?"

"I promise to come around more often," RJ hugged his little niece back.

Emma smiled. "Em loves RJ."

"RJ loves Em," he smoothed back her curls. "And Caroline and Adam too of course."

Caroline joined in the group hug. "I wish we could stay up even later."

"How about I come over on some Friday or Saturday," RJ suggested. "And we can stay up really, really late."

"Really?" Caroline asked. "You'd want to do that?"

"I sure do," RJ replied.

"That would be soooo cool," Caroline said.

"Let's plan on it then," RJ said.

"Anytime," Jon smiled at his brother.

"And now it really is time for you two to go to bed," Allison said to her daughters. "I know…I know..."

"I'll come in to say goodnight," RJ promised them.

"Okay," Caroline said grabbing Emma's hand and leading her back toward their bedroom. Allison followed to give them a hand.

RJ continued to eat his dinner under the watchful eye of his brother.

"What?" he finally asked.

"I've just been worried about you," Jon said sitting down. "And tonight, you seemed like your old self again."

"Let's just say I think I woke up," RJ told him.

Jon smiled at his brother. "Welcome back, mate."

"I hope I don't lead the girls on thinking I'm going to get back together with Alexa," RJ said. "I still care about her, but I just don't want to be with anyone right now."

"You did fine," Jon reassured him. "I think they're just happy that their uncle was back."

"I felt bad, you know?" RJ asked. "That Chloe's almost a month old and I hadn't even met her yet."

"We understood that you were busy," Jon said.

"I wasn't THAT busy," RJ replied. "I guess I just let all this go to my head."

"I can see how you would have," Jon said. "But that's the good thing about family; we'll always take you back no matter how much of an arrogant wanker you turn into."

"You always have such a great way of putting things," RJ deadpanned. "Maybe you should write a book too."

"There's an idea," Jon said seriously. "Maybe I could talk to Joshie's publisher..."

"Word from the Wise Weasley," RJ cracked. "Yeah right."

"Uncle RJ!" Caroline called out. "We're ready!"

"Be right there," RJ called back.

Jon bent down and lifted Adam out of his seat. "Come here, little guy. It's about time you went to bed, too."

"Let me carry him up," RJ said. "He's such a cute little bugger."

"Okay," Jon said handing him to RJ.

Adam had started to cry but was quiet as he stared up at his uncle. "He's probably wondering who this stranger is," RJ joked.

"It helps that you look a little like his daddy," Jon said.

"A little better than his daddy," RJ corrected with a grin.

"Don't listen to him, Adam," Jon said taking RJ's plate and heading for the kitchen.

"Come on little guy," RJ said. "Time to say good night to your sisters..."

The girls were already in bed and Allison had just pulled out a book to read. "Can Uncle RJ read it?" Caroline asked.

"If you'd like him to," Allison smiled at her daughters.

Emma and Caroline both nodded.

"Okay then," Allison said. "I'll just put Adam down then."

"What's this book?" RJ asked, settling down on the edge of Caroline's bed.

"Em's most favourite," Caroline said. "She can practically recite it she's heard it so many times."

"Red," Emma replied. "Red Riding Hood!"

"Oh," RJ said tickling Emma. "You're not afraid of the Big, Bad Wolf, are you?"

"No!" Emma squealed, hiding under the covers.

RJ laughed. "I won't let him get you, Em."

"Promise?" Emma asked.

"He'd have to get through me first," RJ said pulling back the covers.

"Oooh," Emma replied. "RJ, read!"

RJ moved in between his two nieces and began to read the story. "Once upon a time, there was a little girl who lived in a village near the forest..."

Allison peeked in and smiled when she saw how enraptured her daughters were with RJ reading to them.

"Nice to have him back, eh?" Jon asked from behind her.

Allison nodded. "He's really good with the kids."

Jon laughed as his brother did the voice of the Big, Bad Wolf causing the girls to giggle.

"Adam go down okay?" Allison asked.

"Out like a light," Jon replied.

"Good," Allison hugged her husband. "Merlin, I am exhausted today."

"Why don't you go on to bed?" Jon asked. "I cleaned up downstairs."

"Thank you," Allison kissed him. "Say goodbye to RJ for me?"

"I will," Jon said. "Good night, sweetheart."

"I'll see you in just a bit," Allison kissed him again.

"All the better to see you with my dear," RJ said dramatically.

"Scary!" Emma hid her face.

"Em, you've heard this before," Caroline giggled.

"Still scary," Emma leaned against her uncle.

"Before the Big Bad Wolf could hurt Little Red Riding Hood," RJ improvised. "This really handsome, charming Quidditch player flew in and picked up the wolf...."

"Uncle RJ that's not in the story," Caroline laughed.

"It is," RJ said putting his hand over the writing. "You just don't remember it..."

"More," Emma begged him. "Em likes it!"

"So, he picked up the wolf and flew him out of the house," RJ continued. "And he dropped him in the deepest, darkest part of the forest."

"What about Red?" Emma asked.

"Well, the handsome Quidditch player flew back to the house and took Little Red Riding Hood and her Grandma to the biggest ice cream parlour in the village and they had huge ice cream sundaes."

"Mmm," Emma nodded. "Em really likes this one."

"And they lived happily, ever, after..." RJ finished closing the book.

Emma hugged her uncle. "Em loves RJ," she said again. "Good stories."

RJ hugged her tightly. "Thanks, Em. Next time, I'll give you my take on Cinderella."

"Tomorrow?" Emma suggested.

"I have practise tomorrow, but I'll try and stop by afterwards," RJ said.

"Good night, Uncle RJ," Caroline said giving him a hug.

"Night Caroline," he kissed her cheek. "Love you guys."

"Love you too," Caroline said. "Leave the night light on, okay?"

"Will do," RJ said, also leaving the door open a crack.

"Handsome, charming Quidditch player?" Jon asked in a hushed tone to his brother.

"They liked it," RJ said with a grin.

"Thanks for stopping by," Jon said. "It meant the world to the kids."

RJ nodded. "I just really wanted to see you guys," he said.

"We're glad you did," Jon said clapping him on the back.

"I'll stop by the pub soon too," RJ said. "I can't wait to see what you and Victoria have come up with."

"I might even let you eat for free," Jon said with a grin.

"Right, because I'm totally broke," RJ replied sarcastically.

"That's right," Jon said. "I should charge you double."

"If it's good enough, I'll pay triple," RJ pulled his cloak on.

"It will be," Jon promised. "I'll walk you downstairs..."

RJ shook his head. "Don't worry about it. I'll lock up when I leave, Jon."

"It's okay," Jon said. "I want to make sure the kitchen's all clean before I hit the sack.”

"Alright," RJ said following his brother downstairs.

"Allison says good night," Jon said. "She was really knackered."

"Putting up with you would do it," RJ joked.

"Very funny," Jon cuffed him. "Go get some rest."

"I will," RJ said. "Thanks again, Jon."

"Anytime," Jon said. "And I'm still telling Josh about me being the fun one."

"He knows you're the fun one," RJ said before walking out the door.

"That is fairly obvious," Jon said. "Night RJ."

"Night, Jon," RJ said closing the door behind him.

157. 157- don't forget Seamus and Lavender interview on Saturday

A/N: We’re glad you lot enjoyed the last chapter, and in this one we bring you Hannah and then we see a little of Julie and Oliver.

Also, Coolman has generously set up a community where you guys can go talk about the series- we of course hope it won’t deter you from reviewing here ;) But if you have other questions, or want to debate something, you can do it there! Amy and I have both joined and hope to interact with you all there.

http://www.orkut.com/Community.aspx?cmm=24168427

See you on Saturday!

Hannah awoke the next morning to find there was snow on the ground. She loved the snow and couldn't wait to get out and play in it. She slid on her slippers and went downstairs to ask her parents if they'd seen the snow.

She was almost to the kitchen when she heard Frankie and Will talking.

"She's going to be five this year," Frankie was saying. "She really should have been enrolled in preschool already. I just hope it's not too late for them to accept her."

"You spoke with Julie, right?" Will asked. "Did she have any recommendations?"

"A few," Frankie answered. "One in downtown London, and one just outside the city."

Will picked up a brochure and thumbed through it. "This one really seems nice."

"I thought so too," Frankie agreed.

"And it's near your office," Will said smiling at her.

"Which I definitely like," Frankie said. "I can easily pick her up that way."

"She's come so far in such a short time," Will said.

"I am so proud of her," Frankie said, making Hannah stand up a little straighter. "And I can't believe I've known her now for almost five months. I can't believe just a year ago I was freaking out over the possibility of having a baby and now we have a four year old daughter."

"You're a great mum," Will said leaning in and giving her a kiss. "I always knew you'd be."

"Thanks baby," Frankie said, finally noticing Hannah. "Hey you," she smiled. "What are you doing up so early?"

"I-I saw the snow," Hannah said shyly.

"I see," Frankie gave her daughter a hug. "How about some breakfast and then you can go out and play if you like?"

Hannah nodded. "Can I have some cereal, please?"

"You sure can," Will replied. "What will it be this morning, Cheerios or Frosted Flakes?"

"Cheerios," Hannah said sitting down.

"Good choice," Will smiled as he got up.

"I'll get you some juice too," Frankie said giving her a kiss on the cheek.

"Can I have orange this morning?" Hannah asked.

"Absolutely," Frankie said. "Did you sleep well last night, baby?"

Hannah nodded. "And I got really excited when I saw the snow."

"Me too," Frankie said. "I'll have to show you how to make snow angels."

"I think I made those once," Hannah replied.

"With your mum?" Frankie asked.

Hannah nodded. “Thank you,” she said to her father as he set her cereal in front of her.

"You're welcome," Will said smiling at her before sitting back down.

"There is something we were hoping to talk to you about," Frankie said.

"What?" Hannah asked her mouth full.

"Well," Frankie began. "You know how Daddy's been helping you with your ABC's and your reading?"

Hannah nodded.

"You'll be starting primary school in a few months and we want to make sure that you're on the same level as the other children," Frankie said after considering how she wanted to break this news to her daughter.

"School?" Hannah asked. "Like Caroline? What about Em?"

"Em's almost two years younger than you," Frankie said. "But yes, you'll be starting kindergarten really soon and we want you to be ready, Hannah."

"Oh," Hannah said. "Will it be hard? How long do I have to stay away from you?"

"Just during the morning and a little part of the afternoon," Frankie explained. "And it will be hard, but you're such a smart girl, Hannah."

"Which is why we were thinking of enrolling you in a preschool program," Will told her.

Hannah stopped eating. "But you won't be there too?"

Frankie shook her head. "No, but either me or Daddy will always take you to school and pick you up each day."

"I want you to stay with me," Hannah said softly.

"Come here, baby," Frankie said holding out her arms.

Hannah slid off her chair and went to her mother. "I'm scared of going there without you or Daddy."

"You're not going to go in there by yourself," Frankie said picking her up. "We'll be with you that first day and you're going to make some new friends."

"Friends?" Hannah perked up.

Frankie tweaked her nose. "Friends. Lots and lots of friends."

"I hope so," Hannah said. "I hope everybody likes me."

"They're going to love you," Frankie said. "And you know what? Everything you learn, you can tell Em."

Hannah brightened even more. "I can do that!"

Frankie gave her a hug. "I know you can."

"Em will love that," Will said.

"Can we still play in the snow?" Hannah asked her parents.

"Of course," Frankie said. "I think we could take your Daddy on in a snowball fight."

"Two against one?" Will asked dramatically. "No fair!"

"We'll go easy on you," Frankie said.

"Only if Hannah will switch sides in the second round," Will said with a grin.

"Okay," Hannah agreed.

"I see how it is," Frankie teased her. "You'll turn on me just like that?"

Hannah giggled. "I just want it to be fair, Mummy!"

"Good deal," Frankie kissed her cheek. "Why don't you finish your breakfast, and then we'll all get dressed and head outside?"

"Okay," Hannah agreed scampering back to her chair.

Once Hannah had gone to get dressed, Frankie leaned over. "There isn't enough snow out there to do what she wants to do... can you make some more?"

"I think so," Will said smiling at her.

"Great," Frankie gave him a kiss.

"You handled that really well," Will said to her. "Telling Hannah about school and all."

"I'm glad she wasn't completely resistant to the idea," Frankie pushed his hair out of his eyes. "I'd love nothing more than to keep her here with me all the time..."

"It will be good for her to be around other children," Will said thoughtfully.

"Aside from her cousins," Frankie agreed. "I want her to make all sorts of friends Will."

"She's going to," Will reassured her. "How could anyone not love Hannah?"

"The concept is completely foreign to me," Frankie gave him another kiss. "Come on, let's get dressed... I'm really not one to trounce around in the snow but if it's what our girl wants, I'll do it."

"I do seem to remember this girl who yelled at me for an hour last year when I threw one small snowball at her," Will teased.

"And if you do it again today, it'll be two hours," Frankie poked him.

"That's not any fun, Frankie," Will said poking her back.

"William," Frankie laughed. "You're asking for it."

"You go and help Hannah," Will said laughing. "I'm going to go make some more snow."

"All right," Frankie gave her husband one more kiss before heading upstairs.

Hannah had put on her Puddlemere sweatshirt and a pair of jeans and was pulling on her socks when Frankie came into the room.

"Hi, Mummy," she said smiling at her.

"Hi baby," Frankie answered. "Are you almost ready?"

Hannah nodded. "Can you help me with my snow boots?"

"Sure," Frankie said. "But how about you help ME get ready first? I don't have any idea of what I should wear in the snow!"

"Something warm," Hannah said grabbing her mother's hand. "So you don't get cold."

"So no shorts?" Frankie joked.

Hannah giggled. "No shorts or skirts."

"Well that rules out most of my wardrobe," Frankie said. "How about I wear jeans like you?"

"Probably a good idea," Hannah said following Frankie into the master bedroom.

"Okay," Frankie said. "Now how about you pick me out a jumper?"

Hannah nodded eagerly and stood in front of the closet looking thoughtfully at her mother's clothes.

Frankie disappeared into the loo to get dressed. "Any winners?" she called.

"How about this red one?" Hannah asked. "The one that's so soft?"

"Sounds good to me," Frankie said, peeking around the door. "Mind bringing it over to me?"

Hannah pulled the jumper off the shelf and walked it over to Frankie. "Here you go."

"Thanks baby," Frankie replied, closing the door.

Hannah decided to take one more look at the snow and jumped up on the window seat to get a better look.

"Mummy!" she squealed. "Mummy look!"

Frankie hurried out of the loo. "What is it?"

"It's snowing some more!" Hannah was bouncing up and down on the window seat. "Look!"

"So it is," Frankie said with a grin. "So it is."

"I can't WAIT!" Hannah said happily. "I never saw it snow this much!"

"Let's go and get you in your boots so we can go outside," Frankie said tickling her side.

"Kay," Hannah reached up for her.

"I love you, baby," Frankie said picking her up.

"I love you too Mummy," Hannah rested her head on Frankie's shoulder. "A whole lot."

"Come on you slowpokes," Will said from the doorway.

"We're coming," Frankie said. "Hannah was just looking at the snow."

Will handed Hannah her coat and scarf. "And don't forget your gloves. I think they're in the pockets."

"Okay Daddy," Hannah said, pulling it on and then sticking her hands into her mittens.

It wasn't long before the three of them were all ready to go outside. The wind whipped at Frankie's face but she could stand the cold if it meant seeing her daughter this happy. Her laughter was like music to Frankie's ears.

"We have to build our walls," Will said. "For a proper snowball fight."

"How do we do that?" Hannah asked.

"Well we pack the snow like this," Will told her, kneeling down.

"We want to make snow angels first," Frankie said. "Did you bring your camera out?"

"Girls," Will said in exasperation. "I'll go and get the camera."

"Thank you baby," Frankie kissed his cheek.

Will walked back towards the house and Hannah sat down on the snow. "My mummy loved the snow."

"I bet that's where you got it from," Frankie smiled at her. "Come on; let's surprise Daddy by making our snow angels before he gets back."

Hannah nodded and lay back on the snow.

"You know how to do it right?" Frankie asked, also lying back.

"I think so," Hannah said.

"You just lie back, and then spread your arms and legs over and over again," Frankie answered. "Watch me..."

Hannah sat up and turned around to look at her mother. "Oh..."

"See?" Frankie asked. "And then the hard part is getting up without ruining it."

Hannah lay back down on the snow and imitated Frankie's movements.

"Perfect," Will had come back out and trained the camera on them. "That's a great shot."

"Hi, Daddy!" Hannah said waving her arms back and forth.

"Hey sweetheart," Will grinned, taking a few more shots of just his daughter. "Your angel looks great!"

"Thanks," Hannah said. "Can you help me up so I don't mess up my angel?"

"I'll help you," Frankie stood up and took her daughter's hands.

Hannah looked back and saw that her angel was still intact. "It looks pretty!"

"Just gorgeous," Frankie grinned.

"That's for my mummy," Hannah said softly.

"I'm sure she's a beautiful angel," Frankie kissed her cheek. "Just like her daughter is a beautiful angel too."

"I miss her everyday," Hannah said as a tear fell down her cheek.

"It's okay baby," Frankie said. "We understand that you miss her. She was your mummy and you loved her."

Hannah wiped at her eyes. "Thanks, Mummy."

"I'm happy that you at least had enough time with her that you'll always remember," Frankie kissed her cheek.

Will held his hands out and Hannah went to him. "And we're going to help you create a bunch of new memories, baby."

"I love you both," Hannah said. "Everything's been really happy since I came here, 'cept the nightmares."

"They'll stop," Will reassured her.

"I hope so," Hannah reached for him.

"You know what will help them go away," Will asked picking her up.

"What?" Hannah asked.

Will carried her behind the wall he'd made. "Getting your mum."

"What?" Frankie asked having caught what he'd just said.

"Come on," Will grinned at his daughter. "She doesn't know..."

Hannah picked up some snow and formed it into a ball while Will did the same.

"On the count of three," Will told her. "One...two...three!"

"WILLIAM BARRON!" Frankie screamed as she was pelted with snowballs.

"Francesca Longbottom Barron is such a girl!" Will called back.

"Wanker," Frankie called back quickly making a wall for her own attack. "You're asking for it!"

Hannah ducked behind the wall and helped her father make more snowballs. She was having such a good time.

"Come on," Will whispered. "With a spell, all these will fly over at once."

"Really?" Hannah asked.

"Shall we?" Will asked with a grin.

Hannah nodded eagerly.

"Okay, William," Frankie announced. "You're going to pay..."

"Now!" Will cast the spell and at least twenty snowballs went flying towards his wife.

"Umph!" Frankie yelped ducking back behind the wall. "WILLIAM!"

Hannah began to giggle. "We really got you Mummy!"

"Very funny, very funny," Frankie said dusting herself off. "You got me..."

"Now I have to go be on Mummy's side," Hannah said. "Okay Daddy?"

Will laughed. "Okay, off you go."

"Now," Frankie grinned at her daughter. "It's time for revenge!"

"Daddy did a spell that made them go at you," Hannah whispered.

"He used magic?" Frankie asked in disbelief. "That's so unfair!"

"We could do it back," Hannah suggested. "Make even more than he had!"

"Excellent idea," Frankie said pulling out her wand. "We make a great team, Hannah."

Hannah nodded happily. "I'll make more snowballs," she said.

"That's my girl," Frankie said.

"All right you two!" Will called out.

"Follow my lead," Frankie whispered to Hannah.

"Okay," Hannah whispered back.

"On the count of three," Frankie said. "We're going to yell 'Daddy's going down!' and then just PELT him with all these snowballs okay?"

Hannah nodded excitedly. There had to be at least fifty snowballs.

"One... two... THREE!" Frankie yelled.

"DADDY'S GOING DOWN!" Hannah screamed in unison with Frankie.

"What?" Will nearly fell over in laughter. "Frankie what was--" his words were cut off as he was ploughed over with snowballs.

"Not bad for two girls, eh?" Frankie asked him.

"Damn..." Will shook the snow out of his hair. "This calls for revenge!"

"Truce!" Frankie called out.

"Oh no," Will laughed.

"What's a truce?" Hannah asked her mother.

"Where both sides give in," Frankie said. "Do you want to surrender?"

Hannah thought about this. "Yeah."

"You don't want to give him another set?" Frankie asked.

"We got him pretty good," Hannah admitted.

"You're a sweet girl," Frankie kissed the side of her head. "All right Will, Hannah wants a truce."

"And I had just reloaded," Will said standing up from behind the wall. "Oh well..."

"Daddy we got you really good didn't we?" Hannah asked.

"Yes you did," Will said. "How about we go inside and have some hot chocolate?"

"Your special hot chocolate Daddy?" Hannah asked. "Pretty, pretty please?"

"How could I say no to that?" Will asked picking her up.

"This is a really good day," Hannah said happily.

"The best day," Frankie said smiling at them. "One of the best ever."

"I think every day is getting better," Will said as they went back inside. "Especially with you here, Hannah."

Hannah beamed at him. "I don't ever want to go anywhere else ever."

"You won't have to," Frankie answered.

Hannah took off her mittens and then kicked off her boots. "I'm gonna go get my blankie."

"Okay," Will watched her go as he reached for the hot chocolate mix.

"I could have done without your snowball attack, but that really was fun," Frankie said sitting down.

"What about yours?" Will asked with a grin. "Daddy's going down?"

Frankie shrugged. "You left me no choice, William."

"It was pretty funny," Will said, pouring milk into the mugs.

"The look on your face when you went down!" Frankie giggled.

"Next time it's all on you," Will grinned at her. "You're lucky I love you so bloody much Francesca."

"I know I am," Frankie said smiling dreamily at him.

"I got my blankie," Hannah announced from the doorway.

"Can I snuggle under there with you?" Frankie asked.

"Okay," Hannah giggled as Frankie lifted her onto her lap.

Hannah leaned back against her mother, feeling warm and happy and safe.

"And here's your special hot chocolate," Will put it down. "With extra marshmallows, of course."

"Yay!" Hannah exclaimed.

"And the non fat version for my wife," Will said saucily. "With no marshmallows, made with non fat milk."

"Just like I like it," Frankie said winking at him.

"And the extra marshmallow one for me as well," Will sat down next to them. "What else do you want to do today, Hannah?"

"I don't know," Hannah answered.

"We could go to a movie," Frankie suggested.

"Is there anything you want to see?" Will asked Hannah.

"I don't know what's there," Hannah answered.

"Let's check the Muggle paper," Frankie said. "Perhaps there's a new Disney film playing."

Will grabbed that morning's paper and handed it to Frankie.

"Let's see," Frankie mused. "Oooh Hannah! There's an older theatre near Piccadilly that's showing The Little Mermaid and then right after that, Beauty and the Beast!"

Hannah nearly spit out her hot chocolate. "Really?"

Will chuckled. "Yes," he answered. "Sound good to you?"

Hannah nodded eagerly. "This really is the best day!"

"We'd best get ready," Frankie said. "It starts in an hour and a half."

"Okay, Mummy," Hannah said sliding off of Frankie's lap and bringing her blanket with her.

"I've got to take a shower," Frankie replied. "Hannah you can get yourself changed, right?"

"I think so," Hannah said. She lingered a few moments after Frankie had gone upstairs and she looked at her father. "Daddy?"

"Yes sweetheart?" Will asked.

"Were you...scared before you went to school?" Hannah asked hugging her blanket protectively.

Will thought for a moment. "I suppose I was a bit nervous, but I liked it once I got there."

"I'm sorry I haven't learned things as fast," Hannah said looking down at her feet.

"Hey," Will leaned over. "You're learning things just fine Hannah. You're a very bright girl."

"I want to be smart just like you," Hannah said still looking down.

"If you put your mind to it, I have no doubt you will be," he answered. "And you know anytime you need help, I'll be here, right?"

Hannah nodded. "I really do like it when you read to me."

"And I really like reading to you," Will grinned at her.

"You do the funny voices," Hannah giggled.

"Like this?" Will deepened his voice. "When the giant comes into his house after Jack climbs the beanstalk?"

Hannah laughed. "Yes!"

"Or maybe when I make it like this?" Will asked. "Like the wicked queen in Snow White?"

"Or when you do the Three Little Pigs one," Hannah said giggling. "Not by the hair on my chinny-chin-chin!"

"Is that your favourite?" Will asked, tickling her.

Hannah laughed even harder. "Yeah!"

"I'm glad you like reading," Will said. "I'll teach you everything I can, okay?"

Hannah gave him a hug. "You're the best, Daddy."

"So are you," Will replied, holding her close.

"I'm glad you're my daddy," Hannah said resting her head on his shoulder.

He kissed the top of her head. "You have no idea how glad I am that you're my daughter," Will answered. "When I thought about having kids, you're just like the daughter I always wanted."

Hannah smiled. "Really?"

"Absolutely," he answered.

"When we get back from the movie can you read some more of that fairy tale book to me?" Hannah asked.

"Sounds good," Will agreed. "But you'd better get changed. You know your mother takes forever but she might surprise us one of these days."

"Probably not," Hannah said giving him one more hug. "Thanks, Daddy.'"

"You're very welcome, baby." Will said, pulling out his wand to clear the table.

Hannah hurried upstairs and wondered how this day could possibly get any better. "They're taking good care of me, Mummy," she said looking up. "Really good care of me."

*** *** ***

Julie stood in front of her classroom going over her lecture on the Grindylow. She'd met with Hagrid earlier that day and he'd given her one so she'd be able to show her third-year students. They, however, seemed more intent on looking at the Grindylow than listening to anything she had to say.

"Good afternoon, Professor Malfoy," the Headmaster said from the doorway. "I hope you don't mind if I observe your class?"

"Not at all," Julie replied warmly.

Oliver smiled and sat down in the rear. "Please just act as if I'm not here."

Julie pointed out some of the features of the Grindylow for her students. "Now we're very lucky that Hagrid was able to get us this one because unlike most Grindylows, this one has been domesticated."

"Didn't your dad see those during the Triwizard Tournament?" one of the Hufflepuffs asked her.

"Yes he did," Julie nodded. "They're in the lake, and it's part of the reason I brought one in today. They can be very dangerous."

"I'm surprised the Giant Squid hasn't eaten them all," one of the students commented, causing some of the other students to laugh.

Julie grinned. "According to Hagrid, the Giant Squid is a vegetarian," she joked.

Oliver laughed along with the students. She really was born to be a teacher and the students seemed to really relate to her. Oliver had a feeling that this hade to do with the fact that she was the youngest member of the staff.

"Okay," Julie announced. "For the remainder of the class, you are to study the movements of the Grindylow and write down your observations. Does anyone have any questions?"

The class as a whole shook their heads and moved in to watch the little creature.

"Wonderful job," Oliver said warmly as he approached her.

"Thanks," Julie said smiling at him. "I didn't know you would be doing the evaluations this late in the term?"

"It's more of a friendly visit," Oliver replied. "My reports were done for today and I had a bit of free time."

"And you didn't want to spend your time with Professor Snape?" Julie asked in mock surprise.

"I tried," Oliver shook his head in mock seriousness. "Can you believe he dislikes being evaluated?"

"Didn't you know?" Julie deadpanned. "He's perfect."

"Oh absolutely," Oliver fought his grin. "In fact, he's the best professor here on staff."

"Some might even say that HE should have been headmaster," Julie said trying to hide her grin. "Minister for Magic, even."

"That would be the day," Oliver shook his head. "Your mother has been one of the best things to happen to the Wizarding World."

Julie smiled. "I know I'm biased, but I think so too. She's one of the reasons why I wanted to be a teacher."

"I'm glad you decided to stay here at Hogwarts," Oliver told her seriously. "I know some professors were against the idea of me becoming Headmaster at first, but I hope I've done a good job this year."

"You have," Julie said. "You've done a great job, Oliver. Dumbledore has faith in you and you know that speaks volumes..."

"That and I have a great Deputy Headmistress," Oliver grinned at her.

Julie grinned. "Well, you know...."

"We make a good team," Oliver replied, looking at her intently.

158. 158- Seamus and Lavender interview!

A/N: Hey you guys! We’re so glad a lot of you have been joining the community coolman made up for Last Dance. If you haven’t, we’re hoping you all will so we can get some fun discussions over there. Please go check it out here! Also make sure and check out Seamus and Lavender’s interview at the end of the chapter. Next week will feature Cho and Neville!

Also- something we hope you guys will all read here. The things we are posting now have been written for quite awhile, which is why you may have an influx of a certain character and then not hear about them for awhile. We stay far ahead so that we’re able to post these chapters twice a week for you guys! So when you guys ask for something in the next chapter, just realise it’s already been written, but we do keep really good ideas in the back of our head and try to figure out places for them in future storylines!

Please enjoy, and of course, REVIEW! :D

"We do," Julie said touching his arm. "And you've been a great friend, Oliver."

"As have you," he said flushing as he looked away. "I meant to ask- how's your youngest doing?"

Julie grinned. "She's doing so much better. That specialist you recommended has done a world of good. She's been so patient with Katie."

"I'm glad to hear it," Oliver said.

"And to thank you," Julie said. "I was hoping you'd share my lunch with me."

"Did your housekeeper make that wonderful soup again?" Oliver asked with a grin.

"She did," Julie replied. "And homemade bread, too."

"You don't have to ask me twice," Oliver's grin got bigger. "I knew I came up here for a good reason."

Julie laughed. "And you're in luck. Class is over..."

"When do you take the Grindylow back?" Oliver asked as the third year students filed out and headed for the Great Hall.

"Hagrid's going to get him on his way back from the Great Hall," Julie explained.

"Funny," Oliver looked in the cage. "I know they're dangerous but they're almost cute."

"I've heard a few of the girls here say the same thing about you," Julie joked.

Oliver laughed. "I think that's what had some people worried when I became Headmaster."

"Your good looks are the bane of your existence," Julie said motioning for him to follow her into her office.

"It's tough being gorgeous," Oliver said with a straight face. "And Scottish. Being gorgeous and Scottish is a real curse."

"All that and modesty too," Julie said shaking her head. "I don't know how you cope."

"It's tough," Oliver kept his poker face. "But I manage..."

Julie rolled her eyes. "Someday, you should write a book about it."

Oliver grinned at her. "A bestseller."

Julie set a bowl of soup in front of him. "There you are."

"That smells absolutely wonderful," Oliver dug in.

Julie took her seat across from him and handed him a piece of bread. "So, I take it you’re hiding out from Professor Sprout. Is she still trying to set you up with her niece?"

Oliver laughed. "Unfortunately. I don't think anyone understands when I say I like being a bachelor."

"So you've never been close?" Julie asked conversationally.

Oliver shook his head. "I think I've always been too committed to Quidditch, and now this job, to really concentrate on my love life."

"Well, I promise that I will not try and set you up," Julie said. "Though I do believe that there is someone out there for all of us."

"Like you and Nick Malfoy," Oliver smiled. "It's apparent you're his world, Julie."

"And he and the girls are mine," Julie said softly.

"You're very lucky," Oliver said. "If I knew there was a woman out there like you for me, I wouldn't hesitate to get married."

Julie blushed. "Oliver..."

"Did I put you on the spot?" he apologised.

"Just a little," Julie admitted.

"I didn't mean to," Oliver said. "And it probably didn't come out the way I meant it to."

"It's okay," Julie reassured him.

"You've just become a very good friend," Oliver told her. "And I think Nick is a very lucky man."

"You've become a really good friend to me too," Julie said. "And a great shoulder to cry on."

"Not that you have to do much of that." Oliver took another piece of bread.

"Well, you've been there for me when I had to," Julie said. "And I thank you for it. You kept me sane."

"Ditto," Oliver agreed.

Julie laughed. "You have something on your face..." She laughed even harder when Oliver tried to wipe at it with his napkin. "Here, let me get it..."

"Thanks," Oliver said with a grin as Julie leaned over.

Julie dabbed at his chin. "Scottish, handsome, modest and a messy eater."

"That might make for a great personals ad," Oliver mused, making Julie sit back and laugh.

"I'll tell Professor Sprout," Julie said with a grin.

"You wouldn't do that to me," Oliver said confidently. "Wait... would you?"

Julie grinned mischievously at him. "You never know..."

"Come on Jules," Oliver pleaded.

"Okay," Julie said. "For now..."

"You're the best," Oliver was relieved.

Julie giggled. "Could you imagine if the girls around here found out that you have a personal ad?"

"I don't!" Oliver swore. "I was just joking about one!"

"Let me see," Julie said with a grin. "Handsome, charming, Scottish male seeks...."

"Seeks no one," Oliver shook his head. "For now..."

Julie laughed. "Okay, okay. I'll stop teasing you."

"I suppose I should let you," Oliver grinned. "After all, you did share some of the best food in the world."

"You are more than welcome to come over for dinner some evening," Julie said. "I would love for the girls and Nick to meet you, Oliver."

"I might take you up on that," Oliver replied.

Julie grinned at him. "I'd really love that. You just name the date and I'll have Greta prepare a feast."

"As soon as possible," Oliver replied immediately.

"How about Friday evening?" Julie asked. "I know Nick will be home."

"I'll plan on it," Oliver nodded. "Thanks Julie."

Julie leaned forward and gave him a hug. As luck would have it, her father had chosen that exact moment to walk into the classroom having decided to surprise his daughter. He cleared his throat.

"Dad!" Julie exclaimed. "What are you doing here?"

"Hagrid invited me over for lunch and I thought I'd stop in to see you before I left," Harry said quietly.

Julie stood up and hugged her father. "It's so good to see you."

"It's good to see you too, sweetheart," Harry said.

"Good to see you, Harry," Oliver said standing up and offering his old friend his hand.
Harry smiled at him. "Headmaster..."

"I'm still getting used to that," Oliver said with a laugh.

"He's fantastic," Julie said loyally.

"You know," Harry teased. "You wouldn't be here if I hadn't passed up the opportunity."

"It's the least you could do since I taught you everything you needed to know about Quidditch," Oliver said.

"I suppose you're right," Harry grinned.

"Have you seen Saffy?" Julie asked her father.

"I was going to catch her in the Great Hall but she'd already headed to class," Harry replied. "And I don't know what she's got next."

"She's got Herbology," Julie said. "I bet she'd love to see you."

"You should go and surprise her," Oliver said. "Both of you. I should get back to my office."

"I'll see you later Oliver," Julie waved her wand and the remnants of their lunch disappeared.

"Thanks again, Julie," Oliver said giving her a warm smile. "See you, Harry."

"Bye Oliver," Harry shook his hand again and the headmaster left.

Julie grabbed her cloak. "Come on, Dad. We want to catch up with her before her class starts."

"Right," Harry said, following her out. "So... you and Oliver are good friends?"

Julie nodded. "He's been so great, Dad. Not just for the school, but for me too."

Harry nodded. "How does Nick like him?"

"He's never met him," Julie replied linking her arm with her father's. "But I asked him to come over for dinner on Friday. I'd love for the girls to meet him, too."

Harry smiled at her. "You seem to really be enjoying yourself here Jules. I'm proud of you."

"Thanks, Dad," Julie said smiling back at him. "This is where I belong."

"It feels strange being back here," Harry commented. "But I'll be glad to see Saffy. Your mother and I have really missed her."

"And what about Puddles?" Julie asked.

"That dog," Harry chuckled. "He stands at her door sometimes and whines."

Julie laughed. "He is her baby."

"That he is," Harry said as they approached the greenhouse.

"Don't tell her this," Julie whispered. "But I have it on good authority that she's pretty much got Head Girl in the bag for next year."

Harry grinned widely. "That makes all three of my kids," he said.

"I still don't see how Ethan managed it," Julie joked.

"He's just like his old man," Harry said proudly.

"Old being the operative word," Julie teased opening the door to the greenhouse.

"Watch this," Harry whispered to Julie before approaching Saffron from behind. In his best Snape impersonation he said, "Miss Potter, you should not be playing with those flowers!"

Saffron's shoulders hunched up. "Professor," she began as she turned around. "DAD!"

"Hi, sweetheart," Harry said giving her a hug. "I had you, didn't I?"

"Yes," she replied. "What are you doing here? I've missed you and Mum a lot!"

Harry grinned at her. "We miss you too. I had lunch with Hagrid and I thought I'd pop in and surprise my girls."

Saffron laughed. "It was a good surprise Dad." she hugged him again.

"Hi, Mr. Potter," Alexa said. "I'd shake your hand but my hands are all dirty. Hi, Jul--I mean Professor Malfoy."

Harry smiled at his daughter's best friend. "You're looking well, Alexa."

"Thanks," Alexa said smiling back at him. "Hey, Saf...I'm just going to see how our seedlings are doing. I'll be right back."

"Okay," Saffron said. "So how's my baby? Does he miss me as much as I miss him?"

"He does," Harry said telling her about how the dog would stand outside her bedroom door. "But, your mum is taking him out for walks everyday."

"Awwww," Saffron deflated for a moment. "I'm still trying to convince Professor Wood to let me bring him here."

"Saffron---" Julie said rolling her eyes. "You know he's not going to change a rule that has been in place for centuries."

"I can still try," Saffron said defiantly.

"She's even tried to get her mother to draft legislation," Harry said.

"Saffy," Julie laughed. "You are too much."

"It's not just for me," Saffron said defensively. "There are other students who would love to have their dogs here. And it's not as if Puddles is an 80-pound German Shepherd or something. He's small and no one would ever know he was here."

"You are still too much," Julie shook her head.

"I still cannot wait until Easter hols," Saffron said. "When I can see him and you guys and Andrew."

"We're all excited," Harry said. "And Lavender stopped by to let us know that Gabriel's spring holiday falls on that weekend as well, so he's decided to visit."

Saffron grinned. "That's great, Dad!"

"Thought you might like that," Harry said. "We'd better go- I know your class is starting..."

Saffron gave him another hug. "I'm so glad you stopped by, Daddy. Give Mum a big hug and kiss from me."

"I will," Harry kissed her cheek. "Behave yourself."

"Like that's going to happen," Julie said tugging on her sister's plait. "I'll see you this afternoon, young lady."

"I have my essay done," Saffron bragged. "Three pages more than you wanted."

"Insufferable know-it-all," Julie teased.

"Just like you," Saffron returned.

"I happen to love insufferable know-it-alls," Harry said thoughtfully.

"You married one," Julie and Saffron chorused.

"Smartest decision I ever made," Harry said with a grin.

"Mum would agree," Saffron said, waving as she went to sit by Alexa.

"How are our little guys doing?" Saffron asked her best friend. "Growing?"

"Like weeds," Alexa grinned at her.

"That's because we're completely fabulous," Saffron said grinning back at her. "Guess what?"

"What?" Alexa said, sprinkling a handful of powder over the seedlings.

"Well," Saffron said coyly. "There's a certain someone who will be travelling from a certain somewhere to spend Easter hols with his fabulous cousin and her equally fabulous best friend."

Alexa blushed. "Gabe wrote me this morning and told me..."

"Did he have anything else to say?" Saffron asked.

"Just talking about his classes," Alexa said.

"You are terrible with details," Saffron said rolling her eyes. "I swear---"

Her words were cut off by Beth running into the greenhouse clutching a newspaper and nearly knocking Professor Sprout to the ground.

"Very nice of you to join us, Elizabeth," Professor Sprout said dusting herself off.

"No problem," Beth said hurrying to her seat.

"What were you doing?" Saffron asked. "Why were you late?"

"I was reading this," Beth said handing Alexa the newspaper. "You're not going to believe it."

Alexa rolled her eyes and looked at the headline. Her eyes nearly bugged out of her head.

"What is it?" Saffron asked.

"Pop Princess Back on the Market After Dumping Quidditch Heartthrob," Alexa read aloud.

Saffron rolled her eyes. "What a crock."

Alexa quickly hid the paper when Professor Sprout walked past them. She knew she shouldn't be curious, but she couldn't help it.

"Lex," Saffron whispered. "Don't waste your time with that."

"I'm not," Alexa said defensively.

"Then throw it out," Saffron replied.

"She should read it," Beth said. "There's some really juicy details in there, Lex. Serena completely annihilates him."

"Don't you think we're a bit above all that?" Saffron asked.

"No," Mimi said rolling her eyes. "If you're not going to read it, Lexie, let me see it."

Alexa handed over the paper.

Mimi took it eagerly and Saffron and Alexa returned their attention to their seedlings.

"Oh my God!" Beth whispered a few moments later. "Can you believe she said that about him?"

"I know," Mimi agreed. "That's really cold."

Saffron, despite what she had said before, could hardly bear her curiosity. "What did she say?" Saffron asked turning around.

Mimi grinned. "Oh, so now you want to know..."

"I can't stand it," Saffron admitted.

Curiosity had the better of Alexa too and she scooted back her chair to listen.

"In our exclusive interview with Serena Starr, the pop star opened up to us about her heartbreak over Puddlemere United's RJ Weasley," Mimi read aloud. "The two dated for nearly two months and were the talk of the town, showing up at parties and premieres all over the place."

"We know all that," Saffron said impatiently. "Get to the good stuff."

"Just wait," Mimi laughed.

"It's good stuff," Beth agreed eagerly.

"Serena says that she was attracted to the Quidditch player right from the start," Mimi read aloud. "'I really thought we'd work out given that we were both really hot and liked to have fun', Miss Starr told our reporter."

Saffron snorted.

"She's so full of herself," Mimi agreed.

"Go on, Meems," Beth urged.

"But he's really about as much fun as watching my nails dry," Mimi continued reading the article. "I thought I could fall back on the physical aspect of our relationship, but---"

"But what?" Saffron asked impatiently.

Mimi grinned. "But that really wasn't that much fun either," Mimi continued. "And to tell you the truth, I've had better."

Saffron covered her mouth and steadied herself so she wouldn't fall over laughing.

Alexa frowned. "That's really awful of her to say things like that."

"Come on, Lexie," Saffron said giggling. "He deserves that."

"No he doesn't," Alexa said angrily.

"When reached for comment, Mr. Weasley declined saying that what happened between he and Miss Starr was private," Mimi finished.

"Good for RJ," Alexa said. "He's not sinking to her level."

"I still think it's sort of funny," Saffron said. "In fact, it's probably the funniest thing she's ever said."

Alexa glared at her best friend. She knew there was no love lost between her ex and Saffron, but they'd grown up together and had been friends not too long ago.

"What?" Saffron asked.

"Just let it go," Alexa whispered turning back around.

"Lexie," Saffron said incredulously. "Come on..."

"I'm not going to laugh about this, Saffron," Alexa said quietly. "No matter what happened between RJ and me, I never wanted to see him embarrassed like this."

"I suppose you're right," Saffron admitted reluctantly.

"Thank you," Alexa said.

"You'll have to come over when Gabe's here," Saffron changed the subject.

Alexa wrote down some observations on their seedlings. "Saffy, Gabe and I are just friends."

Saffron raised an eyebrow. "So friendly that you snogged him on New Year's?"

"An innocent kiss, Miss Matchmaker," Alexa said nudging her.

"About as innocent as the first time Andrew kissed me," Saffron snorted.

Alexa laughed. "Well, he did...he did say in his last letter that he's been thinking about me an awful lot."

"Uh huh," Saffron grinned. "Now those are the details I want to hear."

"We're going to take it slow," Alexa said. "And just see what happens."

"That's a good idea," Saffron encouraged.

"And maybe the four of us can do something again like we did over New Year's," Alexa suggested. "If it wouldn't be too awkward for Andrew.."

"I'll ask him," Saffron said. "I don't think he'll mind."

"Speaking of which, I know you miss him," Alexa said.

"Andrew?" Saffron grinned. "Duh."

Alexa giggled. "You guys are so cute."

"He's just soooo perfect," Saffron said dreamily.

"We're still going to listen to his match this weekend on the Wireless, right?" Alexa asked.

"Absolutely," Saffron touched her locket. "Merlin Lex, I miss him so bloody much."

"I know," Alexa said. "But he did send you those beautiful flowers for Valentine's Day and he writes to you. I know it's not the same, but it's very romantic."

Saffron opened the locket and stared inside for a few minutes.

"What's he doing?" Alexa asked.

"Writing something," Saffron said fondly.

Alexa smiled thinking it was probably a letter to her friend.

And she was right, but what neither of the two girls knew was that he was also listening to his best friend rant about Serena Starr.

"She's a complete nutcase," RJ said tossing the paper aside. "I don't know what I ever saw in her!"

Andrew felt bad for his best mate. "I'm sorry," he said. "But for what it's worth, I think you took the better route. People will think more of you for it."

"I know, but I'm sure the guys on the team are going to have a field day with this," RJ said shaking his head.

"Probably for now," Andrew agreed. "But just hold your head high, RJ."

"I should have listened to you from the start," RJ said sinking down onto the sofa.

Andrew didn't want to voice his thoughts on that comment. Instead, he finished the letter he was writing to his girlfriend.

"She still trashing me in her letters to you?" RJ asked.

"Nah, not so much," Andrew said with a grin. "It's more talk about how much she misses me, how much she wants to--"

"How much she wants to---" RJ said. "Shag you?"

Andrew turned red. "We haven't gone that far yet."

"I won't take the piss, mate," RJ promised.

"It's not that we don't want to," Andrew explained. "We just want it to be right."

"That's how it was for Lexie and me," RJ said nodding.

Andrew nodded. "We sort of came close on our anniversary..."

"And Brighton too," RJ reminded him. "Before Uncle Harry walked in. You're lucky he didn't A.K. you then and there."

"Yeah, yeah," Andrew turned red again. "Thanks for reminding me about that."

"It's what I'm here for," RJ said with a grin. There was a knock at the door. "If that's another bloody reporter...."

"You'll say no comment," Andrew said.

"Right," RJ said getting up to answer the door. He was surprised to find his three sisters on the other side of the door. "What are you guys doing here?"

Maddie held up the paper. "This." she answered simply.

RJ groaned. "I've seen it, Mads."

"We just came over to see how you're doing," Drew interjected.

"And to see if you wanted help plotting revenge," Darla added.

"Revenge?" RJ asked as they brushed past him into the flat.

"One of the ladies at work has voodoo dolls," Maddie said.

"All we'd need is a strand of her hair," Drew said with a grin.

"Or else, I could let Blue loose in her flat," Maddie replied. "He'll do whatever I tell him to do in there."

"Or we could tell the press what her real name is," Darla chimed in.

"Her real name?" RJ asked.

"Muriel Dorfman doesn't really sound as great as Serena Starr," Darla said wickedly.

Andrew guffawed. "Muriel Dorfman?"

"Muriel Matilda Dorfman," Darla said causing Andrew and RJ to laugh even harder.

"That's fucking pathetic," RJ snorted. "No wonder she never talks about her family."

"She can't mess with a Weasley and expect to get away with it," Darla said putting her arm around her brother.

"Thanks," RJ gave them a crooked smile. "We do sort of band together don't we?"

"No matter what," Darla said.

"One of the reasons I'm glad you lot like me," Andrew said.

Maddie smiled at him. "How is everything with you and Saffy?"

"Fantastic," Andrew said holding up his letter. "I was about to post this letter to her."

"I can't wait for her to see Chloe," Drew said.

"Oh that reminds me," RJ said. "I have pictures for you of her that I took."

"RJ!" Drew gushed.

"Those are beautiful," Darla agreed. "RJ I can't believe you haven't pursued a photography career on the side."

"You know Mum and Grandpa Ernie would love to have you take pictures for the Quibbler," Maddie said. "You could do it during the off season, RJ."

"I'll think about it," RJ said.

"You should," Maddie said looking over Drew's shoulder at the pictures. "Oh, look at how cute she is!"

"She is, isn't she?" Drew said proudly as Chloe waved her little arms in the photograph.

"She is," Darla agreed. "Which reminds me, Drew...remember what we were going to ask Ronnie Junior?"

"Oh, yes," Drew said looking over at her brother. "RJ, you know Dar and I are getting married in a couple of months..."

"Who doesn't know?" RJ asked.

Darla elbowed him in the ribs. "We wanted to ask you if you'd be our official wedding photographer, you dolt."

"Really?" RJ asked. "Sure!"

Darla grinned. "Fantastic."

"And we have our matron of honour already," Drew said smiling at Maddie. "Who's so gorgeous, she'll upstage us both."

"Oh stop it," Maddie grinned at them. "You two will be positively glowing that day. No one's going to look more beautiful than you guys."

"If I can lose this baby weight," Drew said patting her tummy.

Darla and Maddie both groaned. "You already have," Darla pointed out.

"I know what you mean," Andrew said patting his own stomach. "I feel really bloated today."

RJ gave his friend an odd look. "You are strange."

"You don't understand me," Andrew said dramatically.

"You're a card," Maddie told him with a grin.

"Madeline understands me," Andrew said grinning at her.

"Madeline understands everyone," RJ nudged his sister. "When we were kids, she was the only one of this lot who'd give me the time of day."

"You were the baby," Darla scoffed. "Everyone gave you the time of day."

"Only when Jon and Josh weren't taking the Mickey out of me," RJ answered. "Or you and Drew weren't trying to put me in makeup."

Andrew grinned. "Makeup?"

"Don't ask," RJ pointed threateningly at him.

"We'll tell you later," Drew whispered to Andrew.

"No you won't!" RJ had heard her.

"Okay, but only because you took such great photos of Chloe," Drew relented. "Can I take these home to show Brian?"

"They're yours," RJ answered as he stretched.

Drew gave him a hug. "Thanks, little brother. You really are the best."

"Would you go tell the papers that then?" RJ asked, tossing the news into the fire.

"I would, but they're probably interested in only printing the bad stuff, RJ," Drew said. "Don't you let this get you down. You are better than all that rubbish, RJ. I'm proud of you for not playing into that game."

"Thanks," RJ said. "Andrew's responsible for the no comment. I was ready to ream her up one side and down the other."

"Good job, Andrew," Maddie said smiling at him.

"Thanks," Andrew said. "I've got to get this to the owl post." he held up the letter.

"I think you should add a postscript," Darla said grabbing his arm. "You have to tell Saffron about Serena's real name, Andrew."

Andrew grinned. "That's not classified information, right?"

Darla laughed. "No."

"Then I'm sure with her two room mates, this is going to be all over Hogwarts by the end of today." Andrew added a line or two.

"Oh and send her one of these," Drew said handing him one of the photos.

"She'll love that," Andrew said. "Thanks Drew."

Maddie took her brother aside. "I really am proud of you, you know."

"You are?" he asked.

Maddie nodded. "When all this started, it was like you were moving away from all of us and now I feel as if you're back. Jon told me about how much you've been around to see the girls and Adam. And Josh said you were over with the triplets last night. I just feel like I've gotten my brother back. I missed him."

RJ gave her a crooked smile. "I think I sort of lost touch for awhile there. But thanks for looking out for me. You always were the one who did when we were kids."

Maddie gave him a hug. "And you used to threaten those boys at Hogwarts who made fun of me. Even though they were four years older than you."

"Remember? We Weasleys stick together." RJ laughed.

"Always have," Maddie said mussing his hair. "Always will."

From across the room, Andrew was laughing so hard he was crying.

"I just told Andrew about Serena telling Drew she should look into hair extensions for Chloe," Darla explained.

"Bloody hell," RJ groaned. "That was ridiculous."

Drew laughed. "Well, out of respect for you, I didn't say anything."

"That was kind of the catalyst," RJ said, sitting down. "Everything just started looking so ridiculous and fake when I was with her."

"Mum said you were going to try being alone for awhile," Darla said. "I think that's very mature, RJ."

RJ nodded. "I really don't want to have a steady girlfriend at the moment. "The past few years have all been spent with me having someone and I'd just like to play the field for awhile."

"You'll be too busy trying to win the Cup anyway," Andrew commented.

"Right," RJ said with a grin.

Drew looked at her watch. "I have to go. I'm supposed to meet Brian at his parents'. I'm just really glad you're doing okay, RJ."

"Thanks for coming by," RJ hugged his sister. "I'll see you soon."

"Yes you will," Drew promised. "And don't let Muriel get you down."

"Oh if she tries anything, at least now I have leverage," RJ grinned.

Drew laughed. "I love you, little brother."

"Love you too," RJ said. "Say hi to Brian for me."

"I will," Drew said. "Dar, you coming?"

"Yes," Darla said. "I'm meeting Hans in a little bit."

"And I have to get to work," Maddie said.

"Oooh," RJ teased. "Is Trelawney Jr. having a vision?"

"I'm seeing a certain red haired athlete getting smacked upside the head by his blonde sister," Maddie said.

RJ backed away. "You hit hard."

"And don't you forget it," Maddie said following her sisters out. "Bye, Andrew!"

"Bye Maddie," Andrew waved. "Bye, Drew, Darla!"

RJ closed the door behind them, feeling much better.

"Want to run with me to the Owlery?" Andrew asked. "You know, we should probably look into getting an owl of our own."

"Yeah, we probably should," RJ said grabbing his cloak, hat and sunglasses. He didn't want anyone to recognise him. "And how about we go grab a bite to eat at a Muggle diner?"

"Incognito?" Andrew smirked at him. "Sounds good to me. There's that Muggle pub right in Piccadilly that's got pretty good food."

"Sounds great," RJ said. "And you're buying."

"You're the big money maker here," Andrew said. "Why do I have to treat?"

"You have Muggle money," RJ said simply. "I don't."

Andrew rolled his eyes. "Fine next time we go out for drinks, it's on you then."

"Deal," RJ said with a laugh.

Week 10: Seamus and Lavender

Heaven: I'd like to start this interview out by saying I'm very sorry if I missed anyone's questions. I thought I checked through the reviews pretty thoroughly, but in case yours was missed, be assured it was not intentional. I blame NyQuil for my ditziness...

Amynoelle: Did you have any strange dreams while you were on NyQuil? I always have the strangest, most bizarre dreams when I take it.

Heaven: I did have an odd dream last night, but it's escaping me now. I just remember it was weird. I think it involved my job.

Amynoelle: Well, at least you're well enough to do our interview tonight.

Heaven: Oh yes... the worst has passed. Finally!

Amynoelle: It's a shame Gabriel couldn't be with them tonight, but I imagine he's swamped with school work.

Heaven: And--

Amynoelle: Shhhhhh! Don't give anything away!

Heaven: Oops... okay, my lips are sealed. Except when I ask questions.

Amynoelle: Ooooh, here they are! Hello, Seamus! Hiya, Lavender!

Lavender: Hello girls!

Seamus: Ladies.

Amynoelle: It's an honour to meet you both. I've never met a big-shot director before. Do you know Jude Law? Patrick Dempsey? Eric Dane? Hmmm?

Heaven: Seamus, do you know Sean Biggerstaff? Is he single? Do you have his mobile number? Julie gave me Oliver's and let me say, he's an absolute delight.

Seamus: Was this the only reason you two wanted to talk to us tonight?

Lavender: I can't say as I blame them, Seamus. I love that Sean Biggerstaff. He has such a great---

Seamus: Lavender.

Heaven: Lav, you'll tell me later, right?

Lavender: *winks* Sure thing.

Heaven: Sweeeet... and you'll tell Amy about Jude right? What you told me the other day when I called you about the interview?

Lavender: I will, but that will be off the record, girls.

Amynoelle: *Grins* Yay! So, back to business. Seamus, how is Gabriel doing?

Seamus: He's doing fantastic! Head of his class at USC! Lav and I are really, really proud of him.

Lavender: He's going to be a great doctor.

Heaven: And a hot one...

Amynoelle: Some girls are partial to redheads though, Heaven.

Heaven: Yes, but that's my personal opinion is all...

Amynoelle: But I do happen to think Gabriel is cute, too. I'm just saying that SOME girls, not naming names, of course, might prefer...

Seamus: Okay, okay. Before Lavender joins in, how about we get to those questions...

Heaven: Right... the questions. Okay... we'll start with one from coolman. Seamus, being a full time film director, don’t you miss magic? Why did you choose a Muggle job over a wizarding one?

Seamus: That's a great question, actually. Even though my job is in the Muggle world, magic is still a big part of my life. I haven't turned my back on it at all. I've always loved films and knew from an early age that it was what I wanted to do with my life. There's nothing else I could ever see myself doing.

Heaven: This question sort of goes along with it, from TheGreatFox2000. Seamus, ever since you and Lav got back together at Hillsdale, has Summer Rayne acted in any of your films?

Lavender: She's completely B-list now. She'd doing some reality show on one of those cable shows now. The poor thing...

Seamus: Lav- that's not true. She's done quite a few films for me!

Lavender: She's a cow.

Amynoelle: I thought the two of you were friends?

Lavender: We used to shop together sometimes. But that was it. I had to teach her everything.

Amynoelle: She reminds me a bit of a smarter Serena Starr, but that's another topic altogether. Toinkydoink asks Seamus what made you decide directing Muggle films was your passion? When exactly did you discover this? And what did you do to pursue it?

Seamus: When I was younger, I used to take my dad's camera and film everything- from ants to clouds. And during my time at Hogwarts, there wasn't a whole lot there for films, but during all my summer hols, I would study as much as I could. At Hillsdale I got loads of experience running the projectors. And once I got to Hollywood, I just was lucky enough to get to know the right people.

Lavender: That and he's the most talented director around.

Seamus: She's not biased at all.

Heaven: You've really done fabulous work, Seamus. Another quick question about films, from asianhomie101. What movies have you been drawn to directing, and why? And what movies don’t you enjoy directing?

Seamus: Another good question. I started out with action films, actually. And they became kind of what I was known for, but to tell you the truth, I rather like doing the dramas. And I am actually directing a comedy right now that I am really excited about. I don't have a certain genre that I don't like. To me, the important thing is the script.

Lavender: I love it when he does romantic dramas. It always puts him in the mood...

Amynoelle: That same reader has a question for Lavender. They want to know if you ever expected your clothes to go worldwide? And how does it feel to have reporters wherever you go?

Lavender: The reporters part I don't always like- they can be so bloody nosey! Sometimes I'm buying something in the shops and they take a million photographs of me pulling out my credit card.

At first, I didn't think my clothes would become such a label, I really didn't. I still remember the first set of robes I made for Hermione, and I think about how far I've come since then. It's really quite amazing, to see my clothing on everyone and knowing I had a hand in their own personal style.

Amynoelle: And it seems like no one in your family or extended family and friends can get married without wearing one of your originals!

Lavender: *smiles* I'm glad to do it

Amynoelle: You two have gone through quite a bit over the years, but I think it all pales in comparison to that day when a young man entered your house to interview for one of your internships, Seamus.

Seamus: You can say that again. I couldn't believe when Gabe told me who he was.

Amynoelle: A reader, ears91, wants to know what Lavender's initial reaction to Gabe was. Had Seamus ever told her about Gabe's mother before?

Lavender: No... he never really talked about Samantha. But she sounded like an absolutely wonderful woman, and I have no jealousy towards her. My reaction to Gabriel... well I was completely shell shocked, really. But the proof was right there, I mean he looked almost exactly like Seamus. And I love him as if he was really my own.

Heaven: That is so sweet. And I'm sure he really cares about you too, Lav. ProngsHoof, ears9, Kelci, and an anonymous reader all want to know if you two regret not having any children, or if you still plan to have any?

Lavender: We have no plans to have any children. It's a little too late for that, but we have Gabriel and that's enough for us. Looking back, I would have liked to have given him a child...

Seamus: We don't dwell on the past. We're happy just knowing we were able to find true love in each other.

Amynoelle: Awwww. Manderjean wants to know that since you never had children together, have you ever thought of adopting or fostering children like Ron and Luna did?

Lavender: We have, but Seamus and I both have incredibly unpredictable schedules in life. Some of our colleagues are able to balance that, but we don't think we would be able to give a child the care and supervision he or she would need. We do donate to many charities who support hunger worldwide, though, and we support children through several programs.

Amynoelle: Potterchick958 has a great question. Lavender, after reconnecting with Seamus, do you regret not having listened to him about the supposed affair the first time around? Because during your time apart, Seamus did meet Sam, and now you have Gabe through that, so does that influence your stance at all?

Lavender: I really can't say I regret it, because it would mean Gabriel wouldn't have been born. I do wish I had not been so foolish, as Seamus and I could have had many more years together, but as you can all see, it worked out in the end.

Heaven: Seamus, I have an interesting question from RC. If you had found out about Samantha's pregnancy, would you have married her?

Seamus: *doesn't answer for a few moments* : I loved Samantha very much, but at the time of our breakup, things had changed. I was away quite a bit and I didn't think it was fair to her. But, I do know that had I known about Sam's pregnancy, she and Gabriel would never have had to want for anything.

Heaven: I don't think Samantha was unhappy though, I mean, she missed you, but she understood why you two parted.

Amynoelle: RC also wants to know what the best and worst things are about being a father?

Seamus: The best thing is actually having a son, and knowing what a great kid he is. I'm so proud of him! And the worst thing? There is no worst thing. Not at all.

Amynoelle: And how is your relationship with Margaret and Lewis? I know you and Lewis haven't always gotten along...

Seamus: Everything is fine with Margaret. Things with Lewis... they've been better now. I think he's finally realising that I'm not about to bow out of Gabriel's life.

Amynoelle: Heaven, should we ask Megan's question with Lavender in the room, do you think?

Lavender: What question? I'm not leaving!

Heaven: It's really not that bad... well Seamus told you how he got a visit from Samantha's ghost, right?

Lavender: Yes, he did.

Amynoelle: Did he tell you EVERYTHING about that visit?

Seamus: *turns red* Is this about when she asked me to kiss her? It was really just for old time's sake.

Amynoelle: And maybe it gave Samantha some closure.

Lavender: He kissed her ghost? Is that all?

Amynoelle: We had to ask!

Lavender: I'm not jealous. It's okay.

Heaven: That's good. Don't take this the wrong way, Lav, but you have matured so much.

Lavender: Thank you. Could you tell that to Harry Potter, please?

Amynoelle: Speaking of which, coolman's other question to you was for you to describe your most famous 'battle' with Harry?

Lavender: There have been so many! And he calls ME dramatic, honestly. All I would do once in a great while--

Seamus: Once a week you mean.

Lavender: Once in a GREAT while, I would go over in the middle of the night if I had a crisis. And he always acted as if I were putting him out. It's not my fault he's a light sleeper!

Amynoelle: He did overreact, Lavender. And Hermione is your cousin and best friend after all!

Heaven: What's a best friend if you can't go to her at 2 am with your problems!

Lavender: Exactly! I'm so glad you both understand!

Seamus: *shakes head*

Heaven: Okay, back to business here! ProngsHoof wants to know what if you hadn’t gone back to Hillsdale that summer, where do you think you would be now?

Seamus: I like my life as it is now. I don't want to go back and think what if then and what if now. I'd like to think that no matter what, Lavender and I would have found our way back to each other.

Lavender: Absolutely. I think my life was destined to be in Hollywood. I just fit in so well there!

Seamus: And to think at one time she was reluctant to go.

Amynoelle: Molly has a great question for each of you. What is your favourite childhood memory? Lavender?

Lavender: The time that I was able to spend with my parents before they died. I can't pinpoint one moment, but I just enjoyed every second that I had with them.

Seamus: I think mine is the first time I discovered Da's camera... *laughs* I filmed my feet for ten minutes.

Amynoelle: Do you still have that tape?

Seamus: Somewhere. I've never thrown any of them away.

Heaven: Good grief, you sound like me. I still have stories I wrote when I was twelve buried away in boxes.

Amynoelle: Me too! I think we have issues with letting go...

Heaven: Maybe we're just delusional.

Heaven: I have another interesting question from PotterChick958. Seamus, if Lavender had never gotten back together with you, would you have married Sam? Or even, if you had not married Lavender or Sam, what would you have done with your life?

Seamus: Well, when Lav and I broke up that first time, I thought I'd never fall in love again. I didn't want to put myself through that rubbish again, you know? And so I----

Lavender: Shagged almost everything in sight.

Seamus: I did not! There were quite a few girls in the beginning, but my relationships had more meaning as I got older. Aside from Lav, Samantha was the one I cared for the most. And I got one of life's greatest gifts from her.

Amynoelle: Natalie wants to know how you felt when you heard about those "alleged" marriages of Lavender's?

Seamus: If she was happy, I was glad for her.

Amynoelle: Do you ever see any of your ex-husbands, Lavender?

Lavender: Here or there at some do, but we don't talk. I have nothing to say to any of them.

Heaven: toinkydoink has another question for you Lav- what do you think of Paris Hilton?

Lavender: I think she's a lovely girl. She's worn a few of my designs actually.

Heaven: I thought some of them looked familiar!

Lavender: She needs to stop hanging out with that Britney Spears though.

Heaven: Lav, I think you need to give Britney Spears some fashion advice. And some knickers.

Lavender: There are not enough hours in the day to give that girl the help she obviously needs.

Heaven: And we shouldn't waste an hour talking about her! We have just a few more questions. Coolman wants to know if Gabe has asked either of you about arranging a portkey to Hogsmeade for him?

Seamus: No, he hasn't. He's quite busy with university. But if he wanted us to, we'd do what we could.

Heaven: Maybe you'll have to do that for him soon... wouldn't that be a great surprise?

Lavender: I think it's a fabulous idea! Especially so he could see...Saffy...or anyone else...

Seamus: Lav, you promised not to meddle--

Lavender: You're no fun, sometimes.

Amynoelle: I think that pretty much does it for the questions from the readers, right?

Heaven: Yup, that's it for today! We had some good ones!

Amynoelle: I do have something I'd like to ask Seamus about Gabriel and Samantha if I could. What do you see in Gabriel that reminds you of his mother?

Seamus: A lot of things. His stubborn nature, for one. And his smile reminds me of hers.

Amynoelle: Were you apprehensive about telling him who you really were---about you being a wizard? He was already going through some anger issues with you and to throw that on there...

Seamus: When he almost went home that day, I thought I would never see him again. Thankfully, my wife stepped in and got him to listen.

Amynoelle: We wish you three all the best. We really do. We're really happy that Gabriel was able to find you.

Seamus: Thanks. I'm glad too. It was lovely meeting you ladies.

Amynoelle: Okay, Lavender...time to tell us all about Jude, Sean...

159. 159-Don't forget your Neville/Cho questions this week!

Tonight’s chapter just deals with the Malfoy family- no Oliver here ;) We also have a flashback which we thought you guys might enjoy. We know it feels like a short chapter, but since we update twice a week, you guys will have to be patient :P

Also, be on the lookout Thursday for a brand new fic by the two of us. It’s called Hogwarts Undercover and we think you guys will REALLY enjoy it!!!

Please review! And don’t forget about coolman’s LD community here- discussions are really heating up!

After a long day at work, Julie was happy to be home. She'd had to stay behind a little later than usual for a staff meeting, and she was looking forward to a nice evening at home with her daughters. Nick was away on a promotional trip and wasn't due back until the weekend.

"I'm home," Julie said as she set her bags down and took off her cloak.

"We're in the kitchen, Mummy," Ashley called out.

"How are my girls tonight?" Julie asked, appearing in the doorway.

Her two girls were seated at the kitchen table with their books. Greta was standing over Katie checking over some of her work.

"Great," Ashley said reaching for a piece of parchment. "Look at this, Mum. The school's art show is next week and two of my pieces are going to be featured."

"Ash!" Julie exclaimed. "That's wonderful sweetheart! I'm so proud of you!"

Ashley beamed at her. "You and Daddy will come, right? And Grandma and Grandpa and Grandma Ellie....and Uncle Ethan and Aunt Maddie. And maybe we can take pictures so we can send them to Aunt Saffy..."

"Absolutely," Julie nodded. "I can't wait for your father to hear about this."

Katie closed her book and pushed it away.

"Katherine, we weren't finished checking that," Greta said gently.

"I don't care," Katie said stubbornly. "I'm sick of reading! It's all I do!"

"You were doing really well," Ashley complimented her sister. "And you had three more questions left, Katie."

"But it's really stupid," Katie complained. "Who cares about what this dumb boy and his dumb cat do?"

"Your teacher does," Ashley said. "And I read that book when I was your age. I loved it."

Katie rolled her eyes. "Muggle writers are stupid."

"Greta, will you go with Ashley upstairs so she can call Nick with her good news?" Julie asked. "I'd like to talk to Katie alone."

Katie kicked at the chair leg as her sister and nanny left the room.

Julie sat down beside Katie and opened the book. "This is a really good story, Katie."

"I hate it," she snapped. "Mum my teacher is so mean! She always singles me out to read stuff and I HATE it!"

"Mrs. Turner is trying to help you," Julie tried to explain. "We all are trying to help you, baby."

"No one else has to read as much as I do," Katie said angrily.

"I know it seems that way," Julie said gently. "But you have to work twice as hard as the other students, Katie. And you're doing so well. You've come so far."

"I guess," Katie grumbled.

"You met with Maya today, right?" Julie asked referring to Katie's tutor.

"I don't like her either," Katie pushed her book away again.

Julie raised an eyebrow. "Just the other day, you said she was nice and that she was helping you out a lot. Professor Wood said that she has all these nice things to say about you..."

Katie rolled her eyes and stayed silent.

"Katherine Rose," Julie said leaning forward. "You are a bright, intelligent girl. I know this is hard, but you're not alone."

Katie looked dismissively at her mother. "If I'm doing so good how come I hate it so much?" she challenged.

"Well," Julie explained. "The level of work progresses as you master it. And you're like me in the fact that you don't like it when you don't know how to do something."

"Except this," Katie argued. "I don't need to know about a dumb boy like this."

"You do for the assignment," Julie said picking up Katie's workbook.

"I said I don't want to do it!" Katie glared defiantly at her mother.

"Then you can't go to Caroline's this weekend for the sleepover," Julie said.

Katie stamped her foot. "You're just punishing me because I'm not Ashley!"

"I'm punishing you because I am not going to have you talk to me like this Katie," Julie corrected. "You are eight years old and you're not going to have a temper tantrum when things don't go your way."

Katie grabbed her workbook and threw it on the floor before stomping out of the kitchen.

"You're not going to Caroline's," Julie called after her. "And if you keep this up, you will not go to your dance class either."

"I HATE YOU!" Katie screamed before slamming her bedroom door.

Julie sighed. "One step forward and two steps back..."

Greta came back into the kitchen. "I'm afraid she's been fighting me on reading since she got home..."

Julie picked up Katie's workbook and set it back on the table. "I wish I could just wave my wand and make this better for her, but I can't."

"You're doing what you can," Greta assured her. "And despite all this, she knows you're only doing it because you love her."

"Thanks," Julie said walking over to the icebox and grabbing a bottle of water. "Greta, I was wondering if you wouldn't mind cooking a big dinner on Friday night. I know its short notice..."

"I wouldn't mind," Greta said. "What's the occasion?"

"I invited my boss over for dinner," Julie replied. "I'm hoping Nick will be home by then."

"The headmaster?" Greta asked. "My, my... I'll have to make something extra special."

Julie laughed. "He'd be happy with peanut butter and jelly sandwiches."

Greta smiled at her. "No doubt Nick would be happy with that too. Of every gourmet dish I made him, he'd always want peanut butter."

"Even I can't screw that up," Julie said. "In fact, I think I'll make one of those right now for myself."

Greta laughed. "I just baked some fresh bread earlier today." she motioned towards the wooden breadbox on the counter. "It's already sliced."

"Yay," Julie said gratefully.

Upstairs, Katie finished sulking and she went into her sister's room to see if she was still talking to her father on the phone.

"Thanks Daddy," Ashley was glowing at her father's compliments. "I can't wait for you to see them either."

"I want to talk to him," Katie demanded.

Ashley glared at her. "I'll be off in a minute."

"Now," Katie said reaching for the phone.

"Katie!" Ashley jerked away. "Stop it!"

"How many more times do you need to hear you're perfect," Katie said sarcastically.

"Ash?" Nick asked. "Let me talk to your sister, all right? I love you and I'll see you tomorrow."

"Love you too, Daddy," Ashley said before handing the phone to Katie.

"Daddy," Katie snatched the phone away. "Mummy's being totally unfair to me."

"She is?" Nick asked.

"Yes!" Katie exclaimed. "She told me I couldn't go to Caroline's this weekend and now she even said I can't go to dance class! All because I said I hated this stupid story!"

Nick knew that wasn't the entire story, but he didn't want to upset his daughter anymore than she already was. "What story was it, Katie Bear?"

"Some stupid one about a boy and a cat," Katie sat down in a huff.

"The one that you're supposed to read for your class?" Nick asked her.

"Yes," Katie answered sullenly.

"You might not like the story, Katie," Nick told her. "But you have to read it for the class. I remember when I was in school, I hated maths. Couldn't stand looking at them to tell you the truth, but I had to do it because it was required."

"But it's a stupid story!" Katie protested. "Why can't I read what I WANT to read?"

"Because it's the story that your teacher has assigned," Nick said gently. "Come on, Katie Bear."

"You always take the grown ups side!" Katie snapped angrily.

"Katherine Rose, I am on your side and I am trying to help you," Nick said calmly. "And I think the reason you don't like this story is because you're finding it hard to understand, but that's why you have me, your mum, Greta and your tutor. We're here to help you, baby."

Katie's eyes filled with tears. "You just don't understand."

"Sweetheart," Nick said softly. "I do understand. I know this is hard for you, but I'm so proud of all that you've done."

Katie was silent on the other end.

"I'll be home tomorrow night," Nick promised. "And I'm going to bring my girls a present..."

"Another book?" Katie asked sarcastically.

Nick laughed. "No, but it is something you've wanted for a long time..."

"What?" Katie couldn't help her curiosity.

"If I told you, it'd spoil the surprise," Nick said. "And I know how much you love surprises..."

Katie felt a little more subdued. "Okay Daddy."

"Will you do me a favour?" Nick asked her.

"What?" Katie asked.

"Be nice to your mum," Nick said seriously. "Katie, she's not being unfair. She loves you so much and she wants to help you, just like I do."

"Then she shouldn't make me do what I hate doing," Katie said stubbornly.

"Katie," Nick warned.

"It just isn't fair," she whined.

"We all have to do things we don't like to do," Nick argued. "I'm here on this promotions do and I'd much rather be home with you girls, but I have to do it because of my job."

"But reading's not my job!" Katie argued.

Ashley was trying not to listen, but she couldn't help it. Her little sister was behaving horribly, but Ashley had a feeling she knew why. She had an idea of how to help her, but she wondered if Katie would let her.

"All right," she heard Katie saying. "I won't! Fine..."

Ashley watched as her sister turned off the phone and threw it down on the bed.

"Hey, Katie?" Ashley asked tentatively. "Could you help me with something?"

Katie turned and glared at her. "What?"

Ashley bit back her retort. "Do you remember that piece I was making for Grandma Ellie? I need help colouring it and I was hoping you'd help me. No one colours as good as you."

Katie softened a little. "You want me to help? Really?"

"Of course," Ashley said pulling out the huge poster board from under her bed. "I can't finish it by myself if I want to give it to her for her birthday. And I thought that you and I could give it to her together."

"Mum probably won't let me," Katie rolled her eyes. "I have to read that stupid story."

"She's probably eating dinner right now," Ashley said. "You can help me until she comes upstairs..."

"All right," Katie relented as her sister pushed a container of markers her way.

"What colour do you think we should use for those flowers?" Ashley asked her sister.

"Red, definitely," Katie replied. "Grandma Ellie loves red."

"Excellent choice," Ashley said dramatically causing Katie to laugh.

"And this one, I think it should be purple," Katie pointed, grinning at her sister.

Ashley nodded. "Katie, do you remember when Emma couldn't say purple? What was it she called it? Purk?"

"Something like that," Katie nodded. "I still love that she calls Frankie, Aunt Frack."

Ashley giggled. "That is cute."

"And Han," Katie nodded. "Hey Ash? What do you think of Hannah?"

"I like her a lot," Ashley replied thoughtfully. "And you know I bet this wasn't easy on her."

Katie shook her head. "She's really sweet."

"She is," Ashley agreed. "Did you know she's starting preschool in a few days?"

"I heard she's coming to dance class with Emma too," Katie reported.

Ashley nodded and reached for a green marker. "You know what she told me? She's scared of going because she doesn't think she'll be any good."

"She'll do fine," Katie answered. "If Mia could do it anyone can."

"I bet she'd appreciate it if you and Caroline helped her out," Ashley said treading carefully.

"Next princess meeting I'll bring it up," Katie pushed her hair back.

"You know, I was thinking I might not submit my work to the art show," Ashley confided.

"Why?" Katie looked at her as if she were crazy.

Ashley shrugged. "The winner of the art show will get to show their work at this gallery in Devon. Against older kids and I'm nowhere near their league, Katie."

"But you're so good," Katie answered. "You're the best artist I know, Ash."

"Thanks, Katie," Ashley said. "But I just can't stand the thought of standing there and watching them judge my artwork and say bad things about it. I'd be so embarrassed."

"I wouldn't be," Katie answered, colouring in another flower. "If I drew like this I'd be right there showing it to everyone."

"But everyone might laugh at me," Ashley said biting her bottom lip. "And you know how nervous I get when I have to stand in front of people..."

"You'll do fine," Katie said. "I know it."

"Have you ever done something that you were scared of?" Ashley asked.

Katie shrugged. "Not that I can think of."

"I just don't know if I can do it," Ashley said in a hushed tone. "Katie, I really think it'd be best if I just stayed at home."

"You've gone mad," Katie replied. "Absolutely mad."

"It's like how you feel about that book, Katie," Ashley tried to reason with her. "You're supposed to read it but you don't want to. And I'm supposed to submit my artwork, but I really don't want to."

"Yeah but your artwork is good," Katie said. "That dumb book isn't."

"What's so bad about it?" Ashley asked. "It's been awhile since I read it..."

"It's just boring, okay?" Katie didn't realise what her sister was up to.

"It starts out that way," Ashley remembered. "But there's this one part...I was laughing so hard when I read it, I think I nearly snorted milk out my nose."

"I didn't read any part like that," Katie carefully coloured in some green leaves.

"I think I have a copy of it here somewhere," Ashley said setting her marker aside and walking over to her book shelf. "Let me see if I can find that part..."

Katie also set her marker down and sat next to her sister.

Ashley thumbed through the book. "It really does start out slow, but this one part is really funny...."

"I hate the beginning," Katie replied.

"Me too," Ashley said with a laugh. "But see...look at this part where he sneaks downstairs to that party his grandma is having and the cat slips out of his hands..."

Katie smiled. "He lands in the cake!"

Julie listened just outside the door as her two daughters laughed together.

"And here," Ashley pointed. "He decides to dye the cat's fur PINK!"

Katie giggled. "How does he do that?"

"I could tell you, but that'll take the fun out of reading it for yourself," Ashley pushed her copy towards her sister.

Katie took the book. "Can you help me? In case...in case, I get hung up on some of the words?"

"Sure," Ashley agreed.

"Thanks, Ash," Katie said smiling at her sister.

Ashley grinned back. "It's nice when we work together."

"Yeah," Katie agreed. "Thanks for letting me colour with you."

Julie smiled at her daughters from the doorway. "Dinner will be ready soon."

"Okay, Mum," Ashley said. "But Katie and I want to finish this first, right Katie?"

"Right," Katie agreed.

"That's fine," Julie replied. "You've got about fifteen minutes, okay?"

"Okay," Ashley said before returning her attention to Katie.

Julie watched her daughters for a few more moments before heading for the phone to call her husband.

"Malfoy," Nick said when he answered the phone.

"Hey baby," Julie smiled as she heard his voice.

"Hi, Jules," Nick said. "I was hoping you'd call."

"I miss you," Julie sat on the bed.

"I miss you too," Nick said softly. "I'll be home tomorrow night though."

"I can't wait," Julie rubbed the back of her neck as she lay back on the bed. "It's too lonely here without you."

"Same here," Nick said. "But I think this will be good for the new album."

"Definitely," Julie agreed. "Listen, on Friday, Oliver Wood's going to join us for dinner."

"Jules---"

"What?" Julie asked. "He's my boss."

"So we're going to kiss up to him?" Nick asked teasingly.

"Very funny," Julie said. "I've already got the second best position at Hogwarts."

"Oliver Wood's Go to Girl," Nick said.

"Nicholas!" Julie exclaimed.

"What?" Nick asked with a laugh. "That's what everyone's saying."

"What do you mean?" Julie asked. "His Go to Girl?"

"Just that you're always there to help him out," Nick replied wondering why she was getting so defensive. "His Right Hand Woman, if you will..."

"We're just friends," Julie answered. "Good grief..."

"And he is old enough to be your dad," Nick pointed out.

"Exactly!" Julie answered.

"So, I guess I'll be meeting him tomorrow night then?" Nick asked her.

"Right," Julie said. "I know it's your first night home... but after he leaves..."

"Hang on a second, Julie," Nick said. She could hear him talking to someone about photographs.

"I'm sorry," she apologised when he finished up. "I rang you at a bad time."

"It's okay," Nick said. "But I have to run. We have some publicity shots to do and then I'm heading back to the hotel. Give the girls my love."

"Okay," Julie said. "But when you come back, we're going to have to sit down and talk to Katie about her reading again. Ash has got her taken care of for now... but--"

"Don't let it get you down," Nick said. "Katie's just frustrated. We'll get her through it, Jules."

"I hope so," Julie sighed. "Okay... I love you Nick. I can't wait to see you tomorrow."

"Love you too," Nick said. "Kiss my girls for me."

"I will," Julie hung up the phone.

"Julie, Katie, Ashley!" Greta called from downstairs.

Julie quickly changed from her robes into some jeans and a jumper before heading downstairs.

To her surprise, Katie was sitting with Ashley finishing up her workbook questions.

"Good job Katie," Ashley was saying encouragingly. "See- it's not so bad is it?"

"It was kind of funny," Katie admitted closing her book. "Thanks for helping me, Ash."

"Sure," Ashley replied. Katie went into the kitchen and Julie motioned for her older daughter to stay behind a moment.

"What is it Mum?" Ashley asked.

"Thank you for helping Katie," Julie said quietly. "You're a good girl for doing that Ash."

Ashley smiled. "I just wanted to help her. She's really smart, Mum. She's just needs help every now and then."

Julie hugged her. "And I know we've said this over and over, but your father and I are really proud of the two of you for not fighting."

"We're trying," Ashley said. "I like it when we don't fight too."

"That's my girl," Julie smiled at her.

"Mummy," Katie said coming back into the room. "Greta said we'd better go eat before it gets cold."

"Sorry Katie Bear," Julie said. "We're coming."

"Mummy?" Katie asked looking down at the floor. "I'm sorry for saying that I hated you."

Julie nodded. "I know you don't mean it sweetheart but I really only want what's best for you."

"Can I still go to Caroline's?" Katie asked hopefully.

"Yes," Julie said. "But next time you get angry, I want you to think about what you're going to say before you say it."

Katie nodded and stepped forward to give her mother a hug. "Thanks, Mummy."

Julie kissed the top of her head. "I'm so proud of you Katie Bear."

Katie beamed up at her. "Really?"

"Really," Julie smiled at her. "Not only for working on your reading even when I know you don't want to, but for letting your sister help you out."

"She helped me colour in that piece I'm working on for Grandma Ellie," Ashley told her mother. "I would have been lost without her."

Katie grinned proudly at her sister's praise.

"I think she's really going to like it," Ashley said as they went into the kitchen together.

"Grandma Ellie loves everything you two give her." Julie told her daughters.

Ashley smiled. "I wanted to do something really nice for her."

"So we coloured some of the flowers red," Katie chimed in.

"And other ones purple," Ashley added. "It looks so cool."

"You can show your father tomorrow when he gets back," Greta said setting a platter of food down on the table. "Nicholas is going to love it."

"Daddy always loves my artwork," Ashley said.

"That's because you're the best at it," Katie said. "Mummy, Ashley was actually talking about not putting her work in the show!"

"Come on Ash," Julie said. "You've got to enter that show."

"I'm just a little nervous about it," Ashley admitted.

"It's natural to feel nervous," Greta told her. "You should have seen your father before his very first concert with his old band."

"I can't imagine Daddy ever being nervous," Ashley said. "He seems like he was born to be on stage."

Greta laughed. "He may seem that way now..."

"As long as you guys are there with me," Ashley said looking at the three of them. "I'll do it."

"We wouldn't be anywhere else Ash," Julie told her daughter. "And you know your grandparents will be there too."

"We haven't seen them in a long time," Ashley commented.

"I saw Grandpa just yesterday," Julie told her daughters. "He came right around lunch."

"Why didn't he come to see us?" Katie asked. "Are he and Uncle Ethan trying to catch all the bad guys by themselves?"

"Something like that," Julie grinned.

"How's my Saffy doing?" Greta asked.

"She's doing quite well," Julie answered. "Misses all of you, of course."

"I've made her some of my fudge," Greta said. "I'd love for you to take it to her tomorrow."

"I think it's so cool that you used to be Aunt Saffy and Uncle Ethan's nanny and now you're ours," Ashley said.

"Don't forget that she was your father's nanny first," Julie laughed. "She's been passed down from generation to generation."

"You make me sound like a family heirloom," Greta teased.

"You kind of are, Greta," Ashley giggled.

"A family heirloom and luckily the best cook in the world," Julie smiled at her. "Otherwise we'd have all starved by now."

Greta smiled. "It's been my pleasure to watch all of you grow up."

"I can't imagine you not being here with us," Ashley said. "I'm glad Aunt Saffron let you come and stay with us."

"She certainly hasn't let anyone forget it," Julie said wryly.

"I still feel guilty about that," Greta said remembering the day that she'd decided she'd tell her young charge that she'd be leaving to go and work for Nick and Julie. It had been a hard decision to make, but Saffron was going to start Hogwarts soon and there really wouldn't be a need for Greta to remain in the Potter's employ.

***

"I can't believe I'm going away to school in less than a week," Saffron said excitedly.

"I can't believe it either," Hermione had been on the verge of tears ever since Saffron's acceptance letter had arrived.

"Mum," Saffron said rolling her eyes. "It's not like I'm going away forever and you've gone through this twice before. Tell her, Greta..."

Greta wiped at her own eyes. She'd been trying to tell Saffron for weeks now that she was going to be leaving, but she couldn't quite get the words out.

"You're crying too?" Saffron asked. "Come on, I'll be back for holidays!"

"It won't be the same," Greta said giving Saffron a tight hug. "I've been here from the moment you were born..."

"I'll miss you Greta," Saffron hugged her. "But you can send me biscuits and all sorts of good stuff while I'm at school."

"I'll do that anyway," Greta said patting Saffron's back.

"I bet I'll make all sorts of friends if I bribe them with your biscuits," Saffron teased.

"You'll ...you'll make them anyway," Greta choked out. "Saffron Grace..."

"Greta," Saffron shook her head.

"Saffron, why don't you go and grab those books that we bought from downstairs?'" Hermione suggested. "Greta and I can finish up in here..."

"Okay Mum," Saffron bounded downstairs.

"Hermione," Greta wiped her eyes. "I just don't know how to tell her..."

"I know," Hermione said sympathetically. "You've been a huge part of each other's lives these past few years."

"I just can't believe she's eleven already," Greta sniffled. "Feels like yesterday I was holding her as a newborn."

Hermione nodded. "She's our baby. I don't know how I'll be able to say goodbye to her when we take her to Kings' Cross."

Greta wiped her eyes again. "I know Nicholas needs me, but I just don't know how to tell Saffy goodbye."

"I'll tell her," Hermione offered. "Maybe that would be easiest."

Greta shook her head. "I think it's best if I tell her myself."

Knowing her daughter, she had a feeling that Saffron wouldn't take this news very well, but she hoped that Saffron would listen to reason. "I'll leave you to it," Hermione said quietly, patting Greta on the back. "We'll miss you too. We'd never have been able to do this without you."

"You and Harry have been wonderful to work for," Greta said sincerely. "I'm happy I'll still get to see you two."

"You'll still get to see Saffron too," Hermione said.

"See me do what?" Saffron asked coming back into the room with her books.

Greta exchanged a look with Hermione. "Saffy... why don't you sit down a moment."

Saffron set her books down and looked quizzically at her mother and nanny. "Nothing good ever follows that statement, Greta..."

Greta patted her young charge's hand. "Well you see..." she began, clearing her throat. "Nicholas... he's asked me to... to..."

"To what?" Saffron asked. "Greta...you're scaring me."

"I'm going to work for him now, sweetheart," Greta brushed a wild lock of Saffron's hair back.

"Oh," Saffron's forehead creased. "Well, you'll be back for summer hols right?"

Greta shook her head. "I'm going to care for Ashley and Katie full-time, Saffron."

Greta shook her head. "They’re going to need me full-time. And they’re both so young…."

"Yeah but..." Saffron looked between her mother and Greta. "Jules will be home during summer hols and then you can come back here."

"Saffron---" Hermione started to say.

"Mum!" Saffron exclaimed. "Come on!"

"Saffron, you're going off to school and you're not going to need a nanny anymore," Hermione tried to explain.

"But who's going to stay with me when I'm home?" Saffron crossed her arms.

"Your father and me," Hermione said. "During the summer, I'll be doing most of my work from home..."

Saffron bit her lower lip. "Greta? You really want to leave?"

"Of course not, sweetheart," Greta said dabbing at her eyes with her handkerchief. "But you're old enough now that Nick feels it would be okay for me to leave...."

"So Nick decided this?" Saffron put her hands on her hips.

"Saffron Grace," Hermione said warningly.

"He asked," Greta replied. "And---"

"It's just not fair!" Saffron said as tears sprang to her eyes.

"You'll still get to see Greta," Hermione said reaching for Saffron. "You can go over to Nick and Julie's---"

"I am never speaking to them again," Saffron said shrugging away from her mother. "So I don't think I'll be going to their house!"

"Saffy," Hermione shook her head. "You don't need to be overdramatic about this. The decision has been made."

"Does Ethan know?" Saffron asked folding her arms. "I bet he'll be on MY side! ETHAN!"

"Saffron!" Greta called out after her.

Saffron ran down the corridor to her older brother's room. "ETHAN!"

"What is it?" Ethan came out, looking annoyed. "I'm on the phone, Saffron."

Saffron grabbed it from him and turned it off. "Now you're not!"

"HEY!" Ethan snatched it out of her hand. "That was Erin Roberts! She's the hottest girl I bloody know and I was about to ask her out!"

"And if she has any sense she'd have told you no," Saffron said impatiently. "Something terrible is happening and you have to help me stop it!"

Ethan rolled his eyes. "You can't find your blankie to take to Hogwarts with you?" he asked sarcastically.

Saffron stomped down on his foot as hard as she could. "No, you half-wit!"

"OW!" Ethan gave her a dirty look. "I'm not helping you with anything, you bloody brat."

"Greta is leaving us to go and work for Nick and Julie," Saffron said grabbing his arm. "We have to stop them."

"Is that what you're on about?" Ethan shook her off. "I already knew that."

Saffron gaped at him. "And you didn't tell me?"

"Greta said she wanted to tell you herself," Ethan was already punching numbers back into the phone.

Saffron rolled her eyes. "I guess you don't care!"

"Of course I care," Ethan replied. "But Nick and Jules need her more."

"No they don't," Saffron said shaking her head. "I need her more. She's been with me since I was a baby and I don't want her to go."

"It's not up to you, Saf," Ethan's face softened a bit. "I know you care about her a lot, but Nick and Jules need her right now."

A tear fell down Saffron's cheek. "I need her too."

"Yeah but Saf, you're going to be away at school," Ethan pointed out.

"But, see---I was thinking that she could work for them while I’m at school and then when I'm back she can be here," Saffron said a hopeful tone to her voice. "You can help me convince her that's for the best. I mean, Nick doesn't even have to leave his house to work---he has some big studio. They don't need a nanny---":

"Saf," Ethan shot her a look. "I know you're upset but you can't change her mind. Besides, she was Nick's nanny for 20 years- he grew up with her."

"Why does he get her for 20 years and I only get her for 11?" Saffron asked undeterred. "Hmm? That's not fair, Ethan."

"Life isn't fair sometimes Saf," Ethan replied, hitting the talk button on the phone.

Saffron couldn't believe no one was taking her side in this. Couldn't they see how wrong this was?

"Sweetheart," Greta said from behind her.

Saffron didn't turn around to face her nanny- her FORMER nanny.

Greta put a hand on Saffron's shoulder. "I love you very much. I have from the first day I held you."

"Then why are you leaving?" Saffron asked her voice thick.

"I don't want to go, but Nicholas needs my help, Saffy," Greta said softly. "That's one of the hardest things about being a nanny. You have to watch your charges grow up and one day you realise they don't need you anymore."

"But I still do need you!" Saffron exclaimed.

Greta gave Saffron a hug. "Oh, sweetheart."

"I don't want you to go," Saffron began to cry. "I want you to always be here."

"I'll always be here for you," Greta said as she too began to cry. "No matter where I am."

Saffron only buried her face in Greta's shoulder.

"I'm so proud of the young woman you're becoming," Greta said soothingly. "And I have no doubt that you're going to be top of your class at Hogwarts."

"Can I at least come visit you?" Saffron wiped her eyes.

"Always," Greta said with a laugh. "You know that!"

"Every day?" Saffron managed a small smile.

Greta tweaked her nose. "I would love that."

***

"Boy," Katie said. "Aunt Saffy was a real brat about you coming to live with us."

"She didn't speak to me for nearly two months," Julie remembered.

Ashley made a face. "Just because you came here, Greta? That's just silly."

"That's Saffy," Julie said with a grin.

"Daddy once said she was overdramatic," Katie reported.

"She is not," Greta said loyally. "She's passionate."

"Especially with Andrew," Ashley said, blushing.

"Ashley!" Julie exclaimed.

"Sorry Mum," Ashley giggled.

"It's okay," Julie said shaking her head. "Just don't say things like that in front of your Grandpa."

"I won't," Ashley said as Katie giggled.

"At least Aunt Saffy finally got over it, right Mummy?" Katie asked.

"Finally," Julie shared a look with Greta.

"And I promised her that someday when she has children, I'd be their nanny," Greta said.

"Again, not something you want to say in front of your Grandpa," Julie laughed.

"Grandpa doesn't want Aunt Saffy to have babies?" Katie asked.

"Not anytime soon," Julie replied.

Greta laughed. "I like hearing that."

"Mummy, is your boss really coming to eat dinner with us?" Katie asked.

"Yes he is," Julie nodded. "Tomorrow night."

"He knows Maya," Katie said thoughtfully.

"He recommended her," Julie nodded.

"She's not that bad," Katie admitted.

"I'm glad to hear that," Julie said to her daughter. "She always has good things to say about you."

"She's getting married next month and she let me see a picture of the dress," Katie confided.

"I bet she looks really pretty," Ashley said.

"It's not something I'd wear, but I think it's pretty for her," Katie said.

"Time for dessert," Greta stood up.

"Oooh," Ashley said. "What are we having?"

"How does sticky toffee pudding sound?" Greta asked, knowing full well it was the girls' favourite dessert.

"Fan-bloody-tastic!" Katie exclaimed.

"Katie!" Julie laughed.

"Daddy says it," Katie giggled.

Julie only shook her head as Greta set the pudding on the table.

"Thanks, Greta," Ashley said smiling at her.

"You are very welcome sweetheart," Greta smiled at her. "I'm always happy to make something for two of my favourite girls."

"And I'll bring some of it to Saffron tomorrow," Julie promised. "Along with the fudge."

The four of them finished dessert and Julie helped Greta clean up while Ashley and Katie worked some more on her reading.

"I'm going to finish grading some essays in my study," Julie told Greta.

"I think I might go to bed early," Greta replied.

"I might do that soon myself," Julie said with a yawn.

"I'll have a wonderful dinner by half past six tomorrow," Greta promised.

"Thank you," Julie said giving the older woman a hug. "We've always been able to count on you."

"Passed down from generation to generation," Greta joked.

160. Chapter 160

Authors’ note: This chapter has a flashback of a happy event in the Potter family. We hope that you guys enjoy it. And as always, we appreciate the feedback you guys continue to give us. At the end of the chapter, you’ll see the interview for Cho & Neville.

Next week’s interviewees are Drew & Darla. Please send your questions for the twins!

CHAPTER ONE HUNDRED SIXTY

Over a quiet dinner that night, Harry was telling his wife about his lunch at the school. "It was nice seeing Jules and Saffy," he said. "I think I scared the hell out of Saffron with my Snape impression."

Hermione shuddered. "That man is revolting."

"At least you never had to have him as a professor," Harry told her. "And luckily, I managed to get in and out of there yesterday without setting eyes on the greasy git."

"Lucky you," Hermione smiled. "What else is new with our girls?"

"Julie and Oliver Wood seem quite chummy," Harry told her.

"He's been doing a good job as Headmaster," Hermione said thoughtfully. "I'm quite pleased with the reports I'm hearing from the school."

"Hagrid still misses Dumbledore," Harry said quietly.

"He can go visit him, can't he?" Hermione asked. "Where did he retire to?"

"He's off travelling at the moment," Harry said. "And then he plans to settle somewhere in Scotland."

"That does sound quite lovely," Hermione nodded. "Maybe once we retire we can do something like that."

"That does sound great," Harry agreed, but he winked at his wife. "You aren't planning on retiring for another 100 years though, right?"

"Something like that," Hermione teased him.

"And what's this I hear about you having lunch with Ethan?" Harry asked his wife. "The blokes in the department were giving him a hard time about having lunch with his mummy."

Hermione laughed. "They were quite in awe to have the Minister there, thank you very much."

"At least you didn't pinch his cheeks and call him 'Little Man'," Harry said with a grin.

"I wanted to," Hermione replied.

"Sometimes when we're working together I think back when he was born," Harry said to his wife. "I just can't believe he's in his 20's and married now."

Hermione leaned against her husband. She too couldn't believe it. She'd thought that very same thought when she'd had lunch with her son.

"Remember when he was born?" Harry asked with a laugh. "He was so small..."

"He was small, but he was healthy," Hermione said softly. "That's all I cared about."

***

Hermione's pregnancy with Ethan had come as such a surprise, but it was a welcome one for both of them. It had been an easy nine months and so far, an easy labour as well.

"Just one more push," the healer told Hermione. "Come on, Hermione."

Hermione nodded and gripped Harry's hand and pushed down with all her might.

The smile on the healer's face disappeared and Hermione wondered what was going on. She saw the healer hand the baby off to one of the nurses and what struck her most of all was the fact that she didn't hear any crying.

"Harry?" she choked.

Harry was also staring. "Oh Merlin..."

"Healer Mathison?" Hermione asked with a stricken face. "Is he okay? Please?"

The healer didn't answer and Harry looked over at her. "He's really small..."

Hermione started to cry and Harry put his arm protectively around her while keeping an eye on his son. He'd watched his wife go through so much over the past few years as they tried to conceive. He didn't know if either of them could take it if their son didn't make it.

"Excuse me," Harry said. "Can someone please tell us what's going on here?"

"The umbilical cord was wrapped around your son's neck," the healer said over his shoulder.

Hermione gasped. "No..."

Harry tightened his hold around his wife. "Is he--"

And before Harry could even finish the sentence, the room was filled with their son's cries. It was the happiest sound either of them had ever heard.

Hermione sobbed in relief. "Let me hold him," she begged. "Please..."

"Of course," the healer replied wrapped him up in a blanket before placing him in Hermione's outstretched arms.

"Oh there's my sweet boy," Hermione said, still crying. "Harry... it's our little boy..."

The baby was quite small, but he had a tuft of black hair just like his father and he smacked his little lips and opened his eyes to stare up at them.

"Hello, little man," Harry said placing a kiss on his son's forehead.

"Our Ethan James," Hermione smiled as she spoke the name they had decided on. "He's so perfect, just so perfect..."

"Mrs. Potter?" one of the nurses asked. "Your daughter is demanding to see her baby brother..."

"You can send her in," Hermione brushed the hair on her son's head with her index finger.

The nurse nodded and left the room.

"You're about to meet your big sister," Harry told his son.

Ethan stared up at both of them with large brown eyes.

Julie walked into the room and grinned when she saw her parents. "Is he...is he okay?"

"He's fine sweetheart," Harry motioned for his thirteen year old daughter. "Come meet Ethan."

Julie stood beside her father and looked at her little brother. "Hey, little man."

"Little man," Hermione chuckled. "Why do I have a feeling that nickname's going to stick?"

"He looks just like you, Dad." Julie traced a finger over Ethan's cheek.

"He's got your mum's eyes though," Harry said softly.

"Yeah," Julie smiled fondly down at the tiny infant.

"He's my handsome little guy," Hermione still had tears in her eyes.

Julie kissed her mother on the cheek. "I'm so glad he's okay, Mum."

"Me too..." Hermione answered. "Those few minutes were about the longest in my life..."

"Gran and Grandpa are going to love him," Julie said.

"Are they outside?" Hermione asked.

Julie nodded. "I can go and get them..."

"I'll get them," Harry replied. "Be back in a minute."

"Can I hold him, Mum?" Julie asked. "I'll be really careful. I promise."

"Sure sweetheart," Hermione carefully handed the baby to his sister.

Julie smiled down at him. "I've been wanting to have one of you for about 13 years now."

"Jules," Hermione exclaimed.

"So have you," Julie pointed out.

"It was just the way you said it," Hermione leaned back against the pillows.

Julie laughed. "Sorry, Mum."

"Where's my grandson?" Robert asked, coming into the room.

"Right here, Grandpa," Julie answered. "I'll warn you, he looks an awful lot like Dad..."

"Jules," Harry looked at her as if injured.

"I didn't say that was a bad thing," Julie said rolling her eyes. "You know, you put way too much emphasis on how you look. Reminds me a little of Narcissus."

"Nar who?" Harry asked as Robert carefully took Ethan into his arms.

"You really need to read more," Julie said shaking her head. "Right, Mum?"

"He does all right," Hermione smiled at her husband.

"He looks more like Hermione to me," Robert commented.

"He's got my eyes," Hermione said proudly as her mother began to sob. "But he's got Harry's hair."

"Ellie," Robert said. "I thought you said you weren't going to cry..."

"I can't help it," Elinore touched a handkerchief to her eye. "He's such a handsome boy!"

"He is, isn't he?" Harry said grinning at Elinore. "Just like his father..."

"Narcissus," Julie muttered.

"That word is bigger than you are," Harry prodded his daughter's shoulder.

"But nowhere near as big as your ego," Julie countered with a grin.

"Jules," Hermione touched her daughter's arm.

"I'm only teasing," Julie said giving her father a hug.

"Julie, if you want some ammunition, come with us on the golf course sometime," Robert shot his son in law a grin.

"Maybe Ethan James here will be a better golfer than his old man," Harry said. "You'll finally have someone who is as good as you at it, Robert."

"One can only hope," Robert replied, passing the infant to Elinore.

"Hello, Ethan James," Elinore whispered.

Ethan looked up at his grandmother with his innocent brown eyes.

Hermione leaned back on the bed, suddenly feeling very tired.

"What is it sweetheart?" Harry asked. "You want us to get out of here and let you rest?"

Hermione shook her head. "No, of course not. I'm just a little knackered."

Harry took the baby back from Elinore. "I should probably get him down to the nursery," he said.

"We'll let you rest sweetheart," Robert leaned over and kissed his daughter's forehead. "I'm proud of you."

"Thanks, Daddy," Hermione said softly. "Thank you for being here."

"I wouldn't have missed it for the world," Robert said with a grin.

"I'm going to go home with them," Julie said giving her mother a peck on the cheek. "I'll be back later, though. You get some sleep, Mum."

"All right sweetheart," Hermione squeezed her hand for a moment. "I'm so glad you were here too."

"Bye Ethan," Julie said to her little brother who was staring up at Harry with wide eyes. "You be good."

"You go to sleep," Harry told his wife after everyone had left. "I'll put him in the nursery."

"Wait," Hermione said. "I just want to hold him once more, Harry."

"Sure," Harry passed the little boy back over.

Hermione cradled him in her arms. Tears welled up in her eyes again as she looked at him.

"He's all right," Harry said softly.

Hermione nodded. "I know, but I was so scared when--"

"I was too," Harry assured her. "But it's all okay now. Ethan's fine."

"What a family we have," Hermione said softly. "Julie and Ethan and you and me."

"A fearsome four," Harry grinned, leaning in to give her a gentle kiss.

Hermione smiled at him. "Okay...take our little boy to the nursery so we can both get some sleep. He and I worked really hard to get here."

"I'll be back soon," Harry replied.

Hermione nodded and closed her eyes as her husband left the room with their son.

Harry still couldn't believe they had a healthy baby boy.

"Little man," he said as he carried his son down the corridor.

He wished that his parents and Sirius could have gotten to see Julie and Ethan.

"You're going to have a good life, little man," he kissed his son's forehead before surrendering him to the nurse.

***

"He certainly does have a good life," Hermione remarked.

"He does," Harry agreed. "And he's a great Auror, Hermione."

"I worry about him, out there battling dark wizards," Hermione said.

"He was trained well," Harry reassured her. "He knows the risks."

"I know," Hermione nodded. "But I worry about you too sometimes. Part of being a wife and a mother."

"I've been lucky," Harry said putting an arm around her.

"So have I," Hermione leaned in and gave him a kiss. "I have the life I always dreamed of."

"Me too," Harry said smiling at her. "All thanks to you."

"Oh I think you had a little part in our happiness," Hermione teased.

"Just a little," Harry said leaning in to kiss his wife again, but he drew back when he felt something pulling at his leg. "That bloody dog!"

"Puddles," Hermione chided. "Are you being a bad boy?"

Puddles barked and ran over to the chimney and then back to the sofa. "She's not here, Puddles," Hermione laughed.

"Is he looking for Saffy?" Harry asked in amazement.

Hermione nodded. "Yes, he's started to do this every evening now. He'll run to the fireplace and then back here and then he'll run upstairs, scratch at her door for a few minutes and then he'll run back down here and hop up on the chair there and look pitiful."

"Poor little guy," Harry chuckled. "She'll be home soon buddy."

Puddles yelped and then took off upstairs as Hermione had predicted.

Harry took that opportunity to lean in and kiss his wife like he'd been trying to do before.

"I love nights like this," Hermione said cuddling up to him.

"Cold outside, warm inside," Harry put his arms around her.

"And a handsome husband to snuggle with," Hermione said softly.

"Hmm..." Harry said. "I don't have one of those..."

Hermione tickled his side. "You have one of me. Is that good enough?"

"More than good enough," Harry kissed her again before standing up. "May I have this dance?"

"Here?" Hermione asked.

"Why not?" Harry asked, waving his hand as soft music began to play.

"It would be my pleasure," Hermione said standing up.

Harry pulled her close. "We haven't done this in awhile. We always say we're going to go out more often and we never really do."

"We should," Hermione said looking up at him.

“This time, we’ll plan on it and stick to it,” Harry dipped her back.

"Kind of like a date night," Hermione said laughing as he pulled her back up. "You know....we never did...date."

"We really just jumped into things," Harry agreed.

"And never looked back," Hermione said looping her arms around his neck.

"Not even once," Harry kissed her. "From that first time I saw you..."

Hermione smiled at him. "I love you, you know."

"I love you too," Harry leaned in and brushed his lips over hers.

*** *** ***

"Greta," Julie looked in amazement at the feast spread out in the kitchen. "This is incredible! I had no idea you were going to make this much!"

Oliver Wood was due over for dinner in about ten minutes and Julie had just arrived home to make sure everything was ready. It certainly looked as if she hadn't needed to worry.

Greta laughed. "We have to impress your boss."

"I really appreciate this," Julie told her. "Where are Nick and the girls?"

"The girls are upstairs working on Ashley's artwork and Nick rang and said he might be a little late," Greta replied.

"He's not home yet?" Julie asked in dismay.

Greta shook her head. "But he promised he'd be here as soon as he could and said for us not to wait for him."

Julie nodded in disappointment. She hoped he'd be here in time to meet Oliver.

"I'll just go and get the rolls," Greta said excusing herself before going back into the kitchen.

"Girls!" Julie called out.

"Mummy's home!" Ashley capped her marker and put it back. "Come on Katie!"

Katie capped her marker too and hurried after her sister.

"Mummy is Oliver Wood here yet?" Ashley asked eagerly.

Julie gave her a hug. "Not yet, sweetheart. How are my girls today?"

"We're almost done with that picture for Grandma," Katie told her mother. "And Ashley helped me with my reading."

Julie beamed at Katie and gave her a hug. "That's wonderful, love."

"She's doing a lot better too," Ashley reported. "Today she only needed my help a little bit."

"I am so proud of you both," Julie said. "And I am sure your dad is going to love hearing about this."

"Daddy rang and said he was going to be late," Katie frowned.

Julie tugged affectionately on one of Katie's plaits. "Don't you worry, sweetheart. He'll be here soon."

"I hope so," Ashley agreed. "He's been gone for five whole days."

"And he better have good presents for us when he gets back," Katie chimed in.

"Katie," Julie chided gently. "Your father doesn't always need to bring back presents."

Katie looked at her as if she'd sprouted a second head. "Mummy..."

"Katie," Julie teased in the same tone.

Ashley heard something coming from the sitting room and she grinned. "I think he's here, Mummy!"

"Come on and meet him," Julie put an arm around her daughters.

Oliver was dusting himself off and he smiled warmly at Julie and her daughters. "I hope I'm not late."

"Not at all," Julie assured him. "Oliver, this is Ashley, my oldest..."

"The famous artist," Oliver said extending his hand to the girl. "It's an honour to meet you, Ashley."

Ashley blushed hard as she shook his hand.

"And this is Katie, my baby." Julie laughed as her youngest daughter looked up at her.

"I'm not really a baby anymore," Katie said pointedly. "I'm eight, Mummy."

"You look just like your mum," Oliver said extending his hand to her as well.

Katie grinned at him. "Thanks." she replied.

"I wanted to thank you again for inviting me," Oliver said taking off his cloak.

"I'm glad to finally have you," Julie took it and hung it up. "We should have done this awhile ago."

"Well, you saved me from spending all evening playing golf in my quarters," Oliver said with a laugh.

"You can play golf in your house?" Ashley asked in disbelief.

Oliver chuckled. "I have a small putting green."

"Wow," Ashley was impressed. "Aunt Saffy loves to golf."

"Don't tell her," Julie told him. "She'll try and sneak into your quarters."

"Like her friends?" Oliver joked. "Mimi and Beth... those two have tried to catch me in every room of the castle."

Julie groaned. "Saffy said they'd promised to stop doing that, Oliver."

"I find it rather amusing," Oliver replied.

Katie and Ashley went into the kitchen to see if Greta need any help and Oliver smiled at Julie.

"They seem to be getting along," he commented.

"Lately it's been so peaceful around here," Julie nodded. "I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop though."

"And where's that husband of yours?" Oliver asked sitting down on the sofa.

"Late," Julie frowned. "I'm hoping he'll be home soon though. Can I get you a drink?"

"That's be great," Oliver said. "What do you have?"

"Whatever you like," Julie smiled at him as she went to the bar on the other side of the room.

"Beer?" Oliver asked.

"Nick brought back this great beer from Germany," Julie found one of them. "I think you'll like it."

"Thanks," Oliver said leaning back in his seat. "You really have a great home, Jules."

"Thanks," Julie looked around. "It's our second house, actually. Back when we first got married, we had a tiny little place in Guilford."

"And what about that cottage your parents used to live in?" Oliver asked.

"My brother Ethan and his wife live there now," Julie answered.

"I've met your brother a couple of times," Oliver said nodding. "Your father certainly seems quite proud.”

"We all are," Julie replied. "Ethan's a great Auror."

"And his daughter is a wonderful professor," Oliver said admiringly.

Julie blushed. "I try," she said as Ashley poked her head in.

"Dinner's ready," She announced, blushing again when Oliver smiled at her.

"Do I get to meet the famous Greta?" Oliver asked, getting to his feet.

"Of course," Julie said. "She loves to hear what everyone at Hogwarts thinks of her food."

Oliver stopped in his tracks when he saw the feast spread out on the table. "I think I've died and gone to heaven."

Ashley and Katie giggled. "Greta made extra food for tonight," Katie told him. "She says for you to eat up!"

Oliver laughed. "You don't have to worry about that, Katie."

Greta carried in another platter. "All set," she smiled at them.

Oliver smiled at her. "Everything looks fantastic."

"Oliver this is Greta," Julie introduced them formally. "The one responsible for the bread and the soup you hog from me every time I bring it to school."

"Guilty," Oliver said shaking Greta's hand.

"Lovely to finally meet you," Greta said warmly.

"Saffron and Julie have sung your praises," Oliver said.

"She used to be Aunt Saffy's nanny," Katie told him.

"He's heard the story," Julie said. "Saffron's unique spin, of course."

"Everything about Saffron is unique," Oliver said with a grin as they sat down. "I'm looking forward to her as Head Girl next year."

Ashley squealed. "Aunt Saffy's going to be Head Girl?"

"You can't tell her!" Julie exclaimed.

"It'll be our secret," Katie said solemnly.

"She's going to be over the moon," Ashley gushed.

"Ashley Beth," Julie said. "You make sure you don't breathe a word to her."

"I won't I promise," Ashley nodded.

"And I heard that you'll be starting next year as well," Oliver nodded at her.

Ashley nodded. "I'm nervous, but I really can't wait to be there with Aunt Saffy and Mum, too."

"You'll like it there," Oliver nodded. "Hogwarts is a wonderful place."

"I still have three years," Katie said glumly.

"You'll get to have the house to yourself though," Ashley told her. "No big sister to push you around."

"That'll be fun," Katie said mischievously.

"Thanks, Katie," Ashley giggled .

"Let's dig in," Julie said once everyone had served themselves. "Nick said not to wait for him."

Oliver nodded. He had been looking forward to this since the moment Julie had invited him. He'd come to value her friendship and he honestly thought he wouldn't have handled the transition as well as he had without her help and guidance. The more time he spent with her, the more he came to like her.

"Yummy," Katie declared. "Greta makes the bestest chicken."

"She makes the best everything," Ashley said. "Don’t' tell Nana, but Greta is the best cook."

Julie laughed. "That depends on who you ask."

"The Weasleys love Nana's the best," Katie said. "But I like Greta's."

"If you ask Jon, he'll say Allie's the best cook," Julie smiled. "But I can tell you this with confidence- no one will ever say my mother is the best cook."

"Grandma makes good lasagne," Ashley said loyally. "But that's about it."

Oliver laughed. "So the Minister has no talent in the kitchen?"

Katie nodded. "But Grandpa says she makes up for it in other rooms."

Julie, who'd been in the process of taking a sip of her water, coughed. "K-Katie---"

Oliver hid his smile as Greta chuckled.

"Katherine Rose," Julie's face was red. "That's not appropriate."

"Why?" Katie asked innocently. "Mummy, I heard Grandpa say that to Uncle Ron!"

Ashley rolled her eyes. "Katie, it's something only adults talk about."

"I don't see why," Katie said with a shrug. She speared a potato with her fork. "All's Grandpa was saying was that Grandpa was a good cleaner."

"Everyone cleans well when they use magic," Ashley said. "I can't wait to learn magic spells and stuff!"

"I imagine you'll pick them up pretty quickly," Oliver said. "It's in your blood."

"Will you still be Headmaster?" Ashley asked. "I hope so."

"Here, here," Julie agreed smiling across the table at him.

"I sure hope I'll still be around," Oliver grinned. "I have every intention of staying."

"Do you like working with my mummy?" Katie asked.

"Aye," Oliver nodded. "She's the best teacher I've got there."

"Oliver," Julie blushed.

"I bet she is," Ashley said loyally.

"She is and I'm not just saying that," Oliver said to Julie.

Julie blushed even more and was actually glad to hear the fireplace in the sitting room whoosh to life. "It sounds like Nick's home." she said.

"Daddy!" Katie called out.

"I'll be right there baby," Nick's voice carried in.

Oliver looked down at his plate, suddenly feeling like an intruder.

Nick appeared in the doorway. "Sorry I'm late," he said. "Hi, you must be Oliver," he held his hand out.

Oliver stood up and shook his hand. "Nice to meet you, Nick. I've heard a lot about you."

"Same here," Nick grinned at him.

Ashley gave her father a hug. "We missed you!"

"I missed my girls," Nick kissed the top of her head.

"Daddy did you bring us presents?" Katie asked.

Nick laughed. "What kind of Dad would I be if I didn't bring you presents?"

"Yay!" Katie said happily.

Nick grinned. "I left her in the sitting room...'

"Her?" Katie asked looking at her sister.

"Daddy?" Ashley looked curiously at him.

"Go and see," Nick said with a grin. "She's probably lonely by herself..."

Ashley and Katie looked at each other and without a word, pushed their chairs back and ran into the sitting room.

There was a kennel sitting by the fireplace and Katie and Ashley nearly knocked each other down in their efforts to get their first.

"IT'S A DOG!" Katie screamed excitedly. "DADDY BOUGHT US A DOG!"

Nick laughed. "She's a beagle, Katie."

"She's so cute!" Ashley squealed as she unlocked the kennel. The little puppy leapt out and began turning around in excited circles.

"Wait until I tell Caroline!" Katie said excitedly. "Thank you sooooooooooooooo much, Daddy!"

"You're welcome baby," Nick laughed. "You and Ash will have to think of a name."

"You hear that?" Julie whispered to Oliver. "I think that other shoe is about to drop..."

"You might be surprised," Oliver said.

"Let's leave her in there for now," Nick was saying. "You can name her after dinner."

"I think we should name her Fifi," Katie said as she reluctantly put the dog back into the kennel.

"No way," Ashley said shaking her head.

"Fifi's a cute name," Katie said.

"We should give her a name that means something," Ashley said thoughtfully.

"Girls," Nick said from the door. "We have a guest... you can pick a name after dinner."

"Okay, Daddy," Ashley said. "Come on, Katie. We should wash our hands."

"Okay," Katie agreed, a bit sullenly.

Nick walked over to his wife and gave her a chaste kiss since they had a guest. "Hey, you."

"Hi," Julie smiled. "Sit down and dig in."

Greta stepped forward and gave her former charge a hug. "We missed you."

"I missed you lot too," Nick nodded at Oliver. "That's a good beer isn't it?"

"Aye," Oliver nodded. "I hope you don't mind..."

"Not at all," Nick replied. "I'm glad someone other than me likes it."

"So I understand you taught my father-in-law everything he needed to know about Quidditch?" Nick asked him.

"Not that he'll ever admit to it," Oliver nodded. "But yes, I did."

"Oliver, my dad always gives you credit," Julie said laughing.

"Not always," Oliver joked. "But he's definitely one of the best players I ever saw."

"Do you still get a chance to play?" Nick asked.

"Once in a great while," Oliver said, helping himself to more salad.

"That's a shame," Nick commented.

"You know," Oliver said. "I was thinking of hosting a celebrity charity Quidditch match at Hogwarts over the summer holidays. Would you be interested in playing?"

"Are you kidding?" Nick asked. "Of course!"

"What about you?" he asked Julie. "Would you want to play? Do you think your parents would be interested?"

Nick nearly fell out of his chair laughing. "Jules? On a broom?"

"You don't like flying?" Oliver asked in surprise.

Julie vehemently shook her head. "Not at all."

"I just assumed since your father, brother and baby sister were such great players," Oliver explained.

"Me and my mother are the same way," Julie replied. "Neither of us likes to fly."

Katie and Ashley sat back down and Nick smiled at his girls.

"I think you'd like it if you gave it a try," Oliver said to her.

"No thank you," Julie replied. "Nick can't even get me up there."

"And believe me, I've tried," Nick said.

"Would you girls like to see your dad play Quidditch this summer?" Oliver asked.

Ashley nodded vigorously. "That would be really fun!"

"Who else would play?" Katie asked.

"Hopefully, your Grandpa and I'm thinking of asking RJ Weasley and Andrew Kirke, Ron Weasley," Oliver replied. "And Fred and George, of course."

"I bet I could get a few friends of mine," Nick said. "To help with the celebrity cause."

"That'd be great," Oliver said gratefully.

"And I would love to help organise it," Julie offered.

"You know, if your mother doesn't want to play," Oliver began thoughtfully. "I wonder if she'd like to call the match."

"Call the match?" Julie asked. "I-I don't know..."

"It would draw quite the crowd," Oliver said. "I'll ask her about it. I have a meeting with her soon."

Ashley giggled. "Grandma doesn't know much about Quidditch, Mr. Wood."

"It's easy to learn," Oliver said. "And Mr. Wood is my father. Call me Oliver."

Ashley blushed. "Yes, sir."

"So, we should try and set him up with someone, eh Jules?" Nick asked with a grin.

"Oh I've tried," Julie shook her head. "The headmaster is a confirmed bachelor, I'm afraid.

"I'm too busy trying to run Hogwarts," Oliver agreed. "I don't have time in my life for anything else, I'm afraid."

"Excuses," Nick joked.

"Do you fancy anyone?" Katie asked him.

***

Neville & Cho Interview

Week 12: Neville and Cho

Amynoelle: You know I am a little nervous about this interview. While most of the time Neville seems like a big, old teddy bear, I've heard that he can be quite stern. His Auror trainees think he's a badass...

Heaven: We'll just tell him Harry said he's a wuss. He won't get mad at us.

Amynoelle: Cho usually is his calming force so we'll be okay, I think. I hope.

Heaven: We HAVE to ask him about Emma!

Amynoelle: And the makeovers with Magic Mud!

Heaven: We should pretend we have magic mud and see what he says...

Neville: Ask me about what?

Heaven: Brownies?

Amy: Um....um....nothing. Nothing at all.

Heaven: We're glad you two made it!

Cho: It's lovely to meet you both. Emma and Caroline said you were very nice.

Heaven: We loved talking to them! They were probably one of our most fun interviews. I think Emma is the most popular character here. No one wants her to grow up!

Neville: *Grins* She’s growing up far too fast. I can still remember holding her in my arms when she was just a little baby.

Heaven: That had to be such a crazy time though, with Allie being in that coma and all...

Cho: You can't imagine. I've never been so scared. But we had to be strong for Jon and Caroline.

Heaven: Thank goodness everything turned out just fine.

Amynoelle: Thankfully. And how is Adam doing?

Cho: Wonderful! He's already getting so big, and Caroline and Emma love being big sisters to him.

Amynoelle: We love watching the three of them interact.

Cho: So do I. Sometimes Allie has to remind me about my classes when she has them at the studio.

Amynoelle: They're your grandbabies though. And you also have Sukie and Mas and now Hannah.

Neville: We're very lucky.

Heaven: You guys are wonderful grandparents. But at first Neville, you were so dead set against Allie and Jon's relationship! TheGreatFox2000 wants to know what caused you so much anxiety over Jon dating Allie? You had known the boy for years...why did you get so angry?

Neville: I wouldn't say that I was angry...

Cho: Neville...

Neville: Okay, I was maybe a little overprotective, but Cho and I agreed when Chiaki was growing up that the girls would date at 16. And then all of a sudden, Jonathan develops this interest in Allison.

Amynoelle: You were really mean though...

Neville: I couldn't help but worry a bit that Allison was settling down too fast. I remembered what happened to Cho when she was only a few years older than Allie was at the time.

Heaven: But come on Neville, this was JON! Anyone could see just how devoted he was to Allison. All we girls wish we could have a guy like that.

Neville: I know...I overreacted and there are a lot of things I wish I could have done differently, but I had good intentions. I was looking out for my daughter.

Amynoelle: Your relationship with Jon has improved quite a bit though since then.

Neville: It absolutely has gotten better. There's no one else I could see Allison with now. He's good to her and he's a wonderful father.

Amynoelle: Two of our readers have similar questions that go along with our first question. Azi wants to know how you reacted when Frankie started to date regularly. And toinkydoink asked how you reacted to Frankie's love life when she started dating, seeing as you promised to be lenient after the Allie incident? Were you tempted to go back to the "overprotective dad" mode when you learned of her... for lack of a better word, actions?

Neville: I was better- I was worried about Frankie's dating habits, but I figured as long as she was having fun and being responsible, it was okay.

Cho: It's true- we were both a bit worried about Frankie. We were so happy when it seemed like she was going to settle with Will- and we were both ecstatic when she agreed to marry him. He's a lovely young man.

Amynoelle: No reader asked about this, but how did you feel when you found out that Frankie---who never described herself as maternal---told you she wanted to adopt Hannah?

Cho: At first, I'm sorry to say, I felt a bit sceptical. Frankie was notorious for saying she didn't want children. Then suddenly it comes out that she's going to adopt a four year old? But luckily, nothing I was worried about came true. She's a wonderful mother to that little girl, and we all love Hannah dearly.

Amynoelle: Awwww! It's really been great to watch the Barrons become a family.

Heaven: It totally has! This question here is for both of you, from coolman- I'd asked Frankie about how she reacted on finding out Chiaki was biologically not Neville's. But I forgot to ask Allie. Perhaps one or both of you could describe how you told her and how she reacted.

Cho: Well, Allie was around 12 when we told her. Chiaki sat right there with us. And Allie didn't believe us, at first. And when we were finished telling her, she just said that it didn't really matter because no matter what Chiaki was her big sister. I still get emotional when I think about it.

Heaven: That's really very sweet!

Amynoelle: Can we ask you some questions about your Hogwarts days?

Neville: Sure!

Amynoelle: Natalie wants to know what you thought of Neville when you were in school, Cho?

Cho: I didn't really know him all that well, to be honest. He sort of did his own thing, and I was with Harry most of the time.

Amynoelle: Ears91 had a similar question for you Neville, how did you feel about Cho way back when?

Neville: I thought she was gorgeous, of course. But I never felt anything romantic for her because one, she was dating my best mate and two, she was out of my league, or so I thought.

Cho: I was never out of your league...

Neville: Tell that to my fifteen-year old dorky self.

Amynoelle: It's still so hard to think of you with Harry after all this time. Which brings to mind another question from TheGreatFox2000 who asks Cho what her rationale was for being with Harry all those years ago?

Cho: You know he wasn't as smooth as he is nowadays, right? He was such a dork when he asked me out. But we'd been friends for a few months, and I don't know, I thought something might happen... he's still one of my absolute best friends though. We've been through some tough times together.

Heaven: Neville, TheGreatFox2000 also wants to know what your reaction was when you found out Harry and Cho were each other's um... firsts. You didn't freak like Hermione did...

Neville: Well, I knew way before Hermione did, didn't I? And when I found out, I wasn't with Cho. We were still in school. It didn't bother me then and it doesn't bother me now.

Amynoelle: Cho you must have been concerned about your friendship with Hermione when she found out. Harry should have told her long before you did!

Cho: Yes, he should have. I felt horrible when Hermione was upset with me over that. There was really nothing I could do to change what happened and it seemed for a few days, she couldn't accept that.

Amynoelle: But everything worked out...

Cho: For the best!

Heaven: Now we have some questions about your Hillsdale days. Molly wants to know- When at Hillsdale what inspired you most of all to start a relationship?

Cho: That was one of the hardest times of my life. I had this big decision to make and I felt like I had nowhere to turn. I didn't want to trouble Harry because we really needed to keep our jobs and he had to train Hermione. And Neville stepped in and was so wonderful---bringing me treats and making sure I took my vitamins.

Neville: I was so in love with her already at that point. When I heard she was going to have Malfoy's baby, I was shocked, but it didn't make me feel any different about her. I just wanted to help her, and I was lucky enough that she fell in love with me too.

Cho: You made it easy, sweetheart.

Amynoelle: MissIzzy wanted to know how you felt Neville when you took Cho for the abortion, how you felt hearing her scream behind the door?

Neville: I wanted to bloody break it down!

Cho: And I can't thank Neville and Dr. Granger for all that they did for me that night. I thought I was going to die.

Heaven: That was a rather tense night for everyone! Cho, rainbow star wants to know do you ever wonder how different your life could have been if Neville hadn't been there for you??

Cho: *Shakes her head* No, I don't think about that because I can't imagine life without him. He's the love of my life.

Amynoelle: Awwww! MissIzzy also asks if you'd ever eat those sandwiches Neville likes so much...

Cho: No...as much as I love him, I can't make myself do that.

Neville: I haven't had one of those in a LONG time!

Heaven: Ewww... Neville come on! Marmalade and cheese?

Amynoelle: I bet even Emma wouldn't eat that!

Heaven: We'll have to have Hannah ask her for us! Cho, an anonymous reader asked how different you think your life would be if you'd married Draco?

Cho: Ugh- probably as miserable as Ginny Weasley truly is.

Amynoelle: Let's not talk about her for too long. Please. Getting back to the questions, coolman has an interesting one for Neville. Ron at Hogwarts always had a problem about being Harry's sidekick. He felt that his identity was Harry Potter's best friend. You've now worked with Harry for a long time. Have you ever faced such problems? After all you and Harry must be friends at work.

Neville: Harry and I are friends yes, but in no way am I his sidekick. We are partners through and through.

Amynoelle: And how do you treat the recruits? Ethan's partner and best friend Justin seems to be a little scared of you.

Neville *laughs* It's good to be a bit tough on them. Justin's doing quite well though. He's almost as good as Ethan.

Amynoelle: This is another "what if" question. Natalie wants to know what you would have done, Neville, if Draco had wanted custody of Chiaki?

Neville: He would have faced a battle every step of the way. There was no way in hell I would have let him have any part in raising her.

Amynoelle: Chiaki was better off having grown up with the two of you. Cho, Natalie also wanted to know how you felt when Chiaki told you that she was naming the twins after your parents?

Cho: I was very, very touched. She never got to meet them, and now in a way, they're living on through my grandchildren.

Heaven: Chiaki's really a sweet girl, isn't she? Molly had an interesting question for both of you- What do you think would happen if your whole family- including grandchildren- ran into the Malfoys- namely Draco and Ginny?

Cho: We would be civil for the sake of the grandchildren. I would like to think that I'm mature enough not to lower myself to their level. Draco and Ginny aren't happy unless they're looking down their noses at everyone else. I pity them. I really do. They have a great son that they just ignored until it fit their selfish needs. They've missed out on watching not only him grow up, but his two daughters. It's a shame. It really, really is. But that's Draco and Ginny Malfoy for you.

Heaven: Well said, Cho!

Amynoelle: Rainbow star has a good question for you, Neville. Was having three daughters difficult for you? And is that one of the reasons you acted to overprotective in the past?

Neville: Having three daughters was definitely interesting, and yes, it's one of the reasons I'm overprotective. For a long time, there was no one good enough for my girls. And they depended on me so much when they were young- then they just get independent, and that's hard for a parent.

Amynoelle: You really are a great father, Neville and your granddaughters and grandsons love you. We have one or two final reader questions for you. Coolman's question for Cho is this:

This has nothing to do with you but I'm asking you because I feel you’ve been through a lot as far relationships are concerned. You've had Harry, Draco and Neville. Three totally different people. You must have heard about the falling out between RJ and Alexa. Now Gabe is in the picture. Serena came and went. What are your views on the matter? Who's the major culprit and how should all of them act. Please don’t be diplomatic!

Cho: My goodness... I really don't know what to say about that! Alexa is a very lovely girl, and also very smart. She'll make the right decision for herself. And boys will be boys. RJ's an eighteen year old male- they usually only think with one organ... *laughs*

Heaven: This last one is from rainbow star, for Cho. If, and only if, you didn't get pregnant with Chiaki, would you ever have seen Neville as someone you'd spend the rest of your life with?

Cho: I'd certainly like to think so. He was always a good friend and sometimes the perfect person is right there under your nose. Luckily, I was able to realise that.

Heaven: You two are a pretty strong couple. And not many guys would do what Neville did.

Neville: I thought of Chiaki as mine the moment I first held her. I never thought about her differently. I love her because she is my daughter, in every way that counts.

Heaven: Awwww!

Amynoelle: That was my line!

Heaven: That's your seal of approval.

Cho: *laughs* We’re quite honoured!

Heaven: Thanks so much for answering all our questions, you two!

Amynoelle: We had a really nice time interviewing you both. And as a show of thanks, we're giving you this lifetime supply of Magic Mud!

Neville: WHAT?

Cho: Thanks, ladies! Emma will love this. We're watching the children for Allie and Jon tomorrow and we'll have something to do. Isn't this great, Neville?

Neville: Just wonderful...

Amynoelle: You're welcome, Neville!

Neville: I'm forever in your debt. Really...

Cho: Come on, Nev. Good night, girls!

Heaven: Thanks again you guys!

Amynoelle: That was fun! And he's really sweet!

Heaven: Not as scary as Justin says

Amynoelle: So should we get back to writing then? We still have to write about that couple...

Heaven: Of course... they'll never leave us alone otherwise!

Amynoelle: Okay, well maybe we should stop the interview ...we don't want to spoil anyone. Now, about that cliffhanger...

161. 161- don't forget Drew and Darla questions!

Hmmm a lot of you think you know what Oliver’s going to say ;) And we’re glad you enjoyed the flashback of Ethan’s birth. You get to see a more grown up Ethan in this chapter :D

Next chapter takes us all back to Hogwarts- and don’t forget to ask your questions for Drew and Darla! Also make sure to check out the new community- as we’re offering up a chance to interview the two of us as well. See you Thursday with Hogwarts Undercover!

"Katherine Rose," Julie said shaking her head.

"I'm just curious," Katie proclaimed.

"It's okay," Oliver said.

"Saffron says quite a few of her friends have an eye for you," Nick raised his bottle. "Way to go mate."

"Nicholas!" Julie admonished.

Oliver was laughing too hard to respond.

"I'm sorry, Oliver," Julie said turning red.

"Quite all right," he said, shaking his head. "Most people do wonder why I haven't settled down. It's just like I said- I don't have the time."

"You should make time for something like that," Nick told him.

"Nick!" Julie exclaimed. "Oliver's not here for a lecture! I'm sure he's doing just fine!"

Nick looked quizzically at her. He didn't want to embarrass his wife in front of her boss, but he couldn't see what the big deal was.

"Do you fancy someone, Mister Oliver?" Katie asked boldly.

Oliver coughed uncomfortably. "Um..."

"That's quite enough," Julie sent her daughter a stern look.

"Yes, Mummy," Katie said quietly.

Julie shot her boss an apologetic look. "So Greta," she said. "What's for dessert?"

"Chocolate trifle," Greta announced. "I'll just go and get it now, shall I?"

"That sounds good," Nick smiled at her.

Greta smiled back at him before walking into the kitchen. The rest of the table settled into an uncomfortable silence.

Julie was angry at her family for pressuring Oliver to talk about his love life, but she tried to keep her temper down.

"So," Oliver said trying to make an effort with Nick. "How was your trip?"

"Great," Nick replied. "Got some good publicity for my new album."

Oliver nodded. "Julie said it was coming out next week, right?"

"Right," Nick nodded. "In fact, I'll be doing another short tour next month right before Easter."

"What?" Julie asked.

"I just found out today," Nick looked over at his wife.

"How long will you be gone, Daddy?" Ashley asked.

"Not even a week, baby." Nick assured her. "It's only for four days this time. Three and a half, technically."

"Oh, that's not too bad," Ashley said smiling at him.

"The female students at the school seem to enjoy your work," Oliver said. "I hear them talking about you quite often."

"When they're not talking about you," Nick said with a laugh.

"Right," Oliver agreed with a grin. "It's a curse to be good looking isn't it?" he joked.

"Oh yes," Nick chuckled as Greta came back into the dining room with the dessert. "It's a tough life..."

"This is my favourite dessert," Ashley said happily, her eyes on the dish as Greta set it down.

"Mine too," Katie agreed. "I want the big piece, Greta."

"Guests first," Julie reminded her daughters.

"I insist that Katie and Ashley go first," Oliver said smiling at the two girls.

"That's very nice of you," Julie smiled at him.

"Can I please have the big piece?" Katie asked, trying to be more polite.

Greta smiled. "Of course, Katherine Rose."

"Yum," Katie said happily. "Thanks Greta!"

"Everything's been fantastic," Oliver said as Greta set a dish before him. "Thank you."

"I'm so glad you've enjoyed it," Greta told him. "And anytime you'd like me to make you something special, just tell Julie."

"That's very kind of you," Oliver said politely.

"Have you ever tried Greta's spaghetti?" Ashley asked him. "It's the best spaghetti in the world."

"I agree," Oliver replied smiling at Julie. "Your mum was kind enough to share some with me the other day."

"Sometimes I have Saffron stay with me for lunch," Julie said. "It's nice to be able to spend more time with my sister."

"How is my favourite brat?" Nick asked.

"Still a brat," Julie said fondly.

"Good to know things haven't changed," Nick said before taking a bite of his dessert.

"You know, when we get back on Monday, I'm going to call for a staff meeting," Oliver replied. "There are some things I'd like to bring up for next term, and although I think I've already decided on Saffron for Head Girl, I'd like to hear what everyone else has to say. I also need some choices for Head Boy."

"When were you thinking of having it?" Julie asked.

"Monday evening," Oliver said. "Seems to be a good evening for meetings."

"Works best for everyone," Julie agreed. "Right after dinner?"

"Sure," Oliver said. "See- this is why she's my deputy headmistress..."

Nick wasn't so sure he liked the use of the word "my".

Julie beamed at his praise. "Thank you, Oliver."

"Mummy does a good job with everything," Ashley said loyally.

"I couldn't agree more," Oliver said. "She's a great professor and a great friend and a wonderful colleague."

"And a great wife," Nick said pointedly.

Julie understood his tone and shot him a murderous look.

Nick glared right back at her.

"You're a lucky bloke," Oliver agreed pushing back in his chair. "Julie, I-I really should be going."

"Oliver," Julie also stood up. "Are you sure? We could have coffee--"

Oliver nodded. "I promised Hagrid I'd meet with him tonight and I don't want to keep him waiting. Thank you again for a lovely evening."

Julie shot her family a look as she followed her boss out. "I'm sorry- this turned out to be a bit of a crazy evening."

"It's okay," Oliver said reassured her. "I enjoyed meeting your family, Jules."

"You were being a good sport," Julie said. "I am very sorry about them barging into your personal life."

"I'm used to it by now," Oliver said softly. He hated himself for the feelings that he was starting to have for her. It was wrong and he needed to stop this before it went any further. "I'll see you on Monday, then?"

"Right," Julie smiled at him. "I hope you have a good weekend."

"You too," Oliver said softly.

After he left Julie went back into the kitchen, avoiding her family in the dining room.

"Girls, why don't you take the new dog upstairs and try and come up with a name for her?" Nick asked them.

"Okay Daddy," Ashley said excitedly. She gave her father a hug before leaving the room.

Greta followed the girls out of the room and for the longest time, neither Nick nor Julie spoke.

"I'll finish the dishes," Julie said coolly. "Then I'm going to bed."

Nick shook his head. "I'm sorry I interrupted your date."

Julie glared at him. "It was dinner with my boss. And YOU were the one that was late!"

"Dinner with the boss, right," Nick said sarcastically. "Did you see how he was looking at you?"

"You are ridiculous," Julie snapped.

"At least I'm not clueless," Nick said stalking past her into the sitting room to get his bags.

"I'd rather be clueless than an asshole," Julie yelled furiously after him.

"He's old enough to be your father," Nick retorted. "Hell, he's older THAN your father!"

"He is a FRIEND!" Julie said angrily.

"I didn't realise you were sharing your lunch with him," Nick shot back. "How very cosy!"

"Oh shut up," Julie snapped. "As if you've never shared a lunch with a friend. You're such a complete hypocrite Nicholas."

"And you're turning a blind eye to this just like your mum did with that Gordon bloke," Nick countered. "You remember your folks telling you how well that turned out, don't you?"

"Don't you dare compare Oliver to that psycho," Julie hissed.

"I'll sleep in the guest room tonight," Nick said slinging his bag over his shoulder.

"Good," Julie snapped. "Because I wasn't letting you anywhere NEAR my bed!"

"Glad I could keep it warm for good, old Ollie," Nick said sarcastically.

"Bastard," Julie seethed. "I wouldn't care if you took a year long tour!"

Nick didn't say anything as he breezed past her and up the stairs.

Julie threw the silverware in the sink as she fumed. She was sick and tired of people speculating on things going on in her personal life.

One thing was for sure, she thought bitterly. It was going to be a long, uncomfortable weekend.

*** *** ***

It had been ages since Maddie and Frankie had seen each other. What with work commitments and Frankie's new life as a mother, they'd not had a chance to get together as often as they used to. Frankie had surprised Maddie at work and the two best friends found themselves in the Ministry cafeteria having lunch.

"She was so excited," Frankie told Maddie. Hannah had started preschool earlier that week."And nervous, too. I don't think she slept a wink the night before."

"Awwww," Maddie said with a grin. "You're so lucky Frankie. Hannah's such a beautiful, bright and sweet little girl."

"She is," Frankie said proudly. "And she's already doing well! Ooh, and I have pictures!"

"Let me see!" Maddie squealed.

Frankie took out the photographs she'd had developed that morning. She scooted her chair around so Maddie could see. "Okay, there she is eating her breakfast on the first day. Will made her favourite blueberry pancakes."

"She's covered in them," Maddie laughed. "That's so sweet."

Frankie grinned. "We had to change her outfit, of course. Look at those jeans and that's the jumper my mum gave her!"

Maddie smiled at Frankie's exuberance. "How does she like preschool so far?"

"She's still so shy, but the teacher has helped her out a great deal," Frankie replied. "And she seems to be adjusting well. And even made a friend---this cute little girl, Jessica. But, don't worry, Emma is still her bestest friend."

"Those two are thick as thieves," Maddie agreed.

"Like you and me," Frankie said smiling at her friend.

"Exactly," Maddie laughed. "I love this picture..." she picked one up of Hannah and Will.

"I love that one too," Frankie agreed looking fondly at her daughter who had her arms around Will's neck and was waving enthusiastically at the camera.

"You two are fantastic parents," Maddie told her friend.

"Thanks," Frankie said. "I can't tell you how great this feels, Maddie. It's like my whole life something was missing and I didn't know what it was...and then she came into my life and it all just seemed to fit."

Maddie nudged her playfully. "And you didn't want kids..."

Frankie laughed. "I didn't think I did. But things change. People change."

Maddie nodded. "And you changed a lot of things for Hannah. That poor little girl didn't think anyone could love her."

"That horrible man," Frankie said thinking of David. "I could just kill him for what he did to her."

"At least you got her away from that," Maddie said.

Frankie nodded. "And she never has to see him again."

"Exactly," Maddie sat back. "I'm still hungry..."

"Still?" Frankie asked in disbelief looking at her friend's empty plate.

Maddie grinned sheepishly. "I have a fast metabolism..."

"I hate you for it, too," Frankie said rolling her eyes.

Maddie poked her shoulder. "I'll be right back."

"Could you get me another bowl of fruit?" Frankie asked.

"Sure," Maddie replied, weaving her way back over to the line.

"Look, Ethan," Justin said nudging his friend. The two Aurors were waiting on a queue. "There's the old ball and chain."

"Look who's talking," Ethan elbowed him back.

"Hi, guys," Maddie said spotting them.

"Hey," Ethan grinned at his wife. "Second round?"

Maddie nodded and patted her tummy. "I was thinking of dessert."

Ethan gave her a kiss. "Mind if we sneak in the queue with you then?"

"Of course not," Maddie replied. "Hi, Justin. How's Sarah?"

"She's great," Justin smiled at her.

"You two have to come by for dinner some night," Maddie said.

"Sure," Justin nodded. "I'm game."

Maddie took Ethan's hand. "How's your day going so far?"

"All right," Ethan shrugged. "Pretty boring."

"No bad guys to chase down today?" Maddie teased.

"Not yet," Ethan replied. "What about you?"

"About the same as yours," Maddie said. "But Frankie showed up and asked if I wanted to grab a bite to eat. And you know me..."

"Right," Ethan laughed, waving across the room to the black haired woman.

"Great," Justin said with a grin. "I can beg her for tickets to the Cup."

"She might give in," Ethan teased him.

"Puddlemere against Wimbourne," Justin said gleefully. "I'd sell my soul for those tickets."

"That's going to be quite the game," Ethan agreed. "I'm glad my dad got us tickets."

"Wait," Justin said pulling a confused face. "Ethan...how long have you and I been best mates?"

"Forever?" Ethan asked.

"Exactly," Justin said folding his arms. "And you have tickets for the Cup but neglected to tell me. How do you think that makes me feel?"

"He couldn't get that many!" Ethan said defensively. "It's not like I wouldn't have taken you!"

"Your father is Harry Bloody Potter," Justin said. "Your Mum is the most powerful woman in the world. And you mean to tell me you couldn't get me---your best mate---tickets?"

Ethan shrugged. "Sorry mate."

Justin sighed. "I'm going to go and grab a sandwich from the deli. I'll catch up to you guys in a few minutes."

"Ethan," Maddie frowned at him. "Why are you teasing him like that?"

"I like giving him a hard time," Ethan replied with a grin.

"You should tell him you got tickets for both of you," Maddie took a bowl of fruit salad for Frankie.

"I will," Ethan promised.

Maddie leaned over and gave him another kiss. "Hannah's started preschool."

"Did she?" Ethan asked. "That's great."

"Doing quite well so far too," Maddie helped herself to a generous portion of pasta salad.

Ethan stifled a laugh. He was used to his wife's appetite, but it still amazed him. "Mads, sweetheart? I thought you were just going to get dessert."

"I'm really hungry today," Maddie explained.

"You're hungry everyday," Ethan said grabbing a plate of chicken parmesan.

"That looks so good," Maddie eyed it.

"I'll let you have a bite," Ethan promised.

Maddie beamed at him as she took two brownies and a piece of fudge cake.

"You want to put some of your plates on my tray?" Ethan offered. "You're running out of room there."

"Thank you," Maddie grinned at him.

Ethan laughed as he placed three of her plates on his tray. Maddie showed willpower by not getting anything else other than a refill on her soda.

"Tell me the damage," Ethan said to the cashier. "Have mercy on us. We're still newlyweds."

"It's okay June," Maddie grinned at her. "He's paying."

"We'll just take it out of your wages," June laughed.

Ethan groaned. "My wife..."

"He loves it," Maddie giggled.

June gave them the total and Ethan laughed as he pulled out his wallet. "You're killing me, June."

"You don't have the same appeal as me," Maddie teased her husband.

"No one does," Ethan said picking up his tray and following his wife over to the table where Frankie was sitting with Justin.

"So if I were to pay you handsomely--" Justin was saying.

"I'm sorry," Frankie told him. "We're sold out completely, Justin."

"Damn it," Justin sighed.

"Ethan," Maddie nudged her husband.

"Justin," Ethan said leaning back in his chair. "You're embarrassing yourself."

"Sod off," Justin glared at him. "You're the one with tickets."

"Ethan James Potter," Maddie said through clenched teeth. "Tell him."

Ethan really wanted to hold out longer but between his wife glaring at him and his best friend about ready to scratch his eyes out, he shook his head. "Fine... Justin stop whining. I made sure my dad got you two tickets as well."

Justin's mouth dropped. "Are you kidding?"

"Do you think you'd ever really let me hear the end of it if I didn't include you?" Ethan asked dryly.

"No," Justin said a grin breaking out across his face. "Ethan! How are the seats?"

"Some of the best in the stadium," Ethan pulled Justin's tickets out of his pocket and dangled them in front of his best mate.

"I can't believe you were holding out on me," Justin said reaching for them, but Ethan pulled them away.

Frankie shook her head as she dug into her fruit salad. "You blokes are mad."

"All a part of our charm," Ethan said pocketing the tickets.

"Hey!" Justin glared at him.

"You know you'd lose it," Ethan said.

"Whatever," Justin took a huge bite of sandwich.

"Mads tells me our goddaughter started school?" Ethan asked Frankie.

"That's right," Frankie smiled proudly. "Just this week!"

"Show him the photos," Maddie urged.

Frankie pushed the envelope at him. "We took all these her first day."

"There must be over a hundred photos here," Ethan said shaking his head. "You took all these on her first day?"

Frankie blushed. "Well yes..."

"You're such a mum," Ethan teased.

"Shut up Ethan James," Frankie kicked him.

"OW!" Ethan winced.

"But you're right," Frankie smiled angelically. "I am such a mum!"

"Kick him again, Frankie," Justin said. "He deserves it."

"Mads!" Ethan looked at his wife. "Two bites if you'll defend me?"

Maddie laughed. "Stop it, you guys."

"Awwww..." Justin grinned wickedly at Ethan. "Does the little woman have to stick up for you?"

"At least we don't baby talk," Ethan countered.

Frankie and Maddie both laughed at that.

"Sarah likes it, Ethan," Justin said his cheeks turning red.

"Sure," Ethan smirked.

"We don't do that nearly as much as we used to," Justin said defensively.

"Yeah right," Ethan scoffed. "Just the other day you two were doing that annoying bloody pooky bear thing. It was so embarrassing."

Justin glared at him. "Okay, we didn't know you were there!"

Maddie laughed at his expression.

"And all couples have certain quirks," Justin continued.

"That's very true," Frankie agreed.

"You should hear her and Will on the phone," Maddie teased. "You hang up first! No YOU hang up first!"

"We did that when we were dating," Frankie corrected her.

"Mads and I don't have any quirks," Ethan put his arm around his wife.

"Other than your wife eats way more than you do and always sneaks stuff off your plate," Frankie said.

Maddie grinned proudly. "We never leave a plate behind with more than a morsel."

"And the fact that you twirl," Frankie teased.

"Shut up," it was Ethan's turn to blush.

Justin opened his mouth to say something but he had a feeling any ribbing he gave his friend would end up in no tickets to the Cup final.

Maddie took the last bite of her husband's lunch. "Can I?"

Ethan laughed. "Go ahead."

"Thank you," Maddie leaned in and gave him a peck.

Justin spotted Neville Longbottom coming into the cafeteria. "Maddie, don't touch my food. I will be right back. I need to go and let Longbottom know about a witness. I mean it..."

"Daddy's here?" Frankie turned around.

"Right over there," Justin said. "Come on...having you there might make him not get so mad at me."

Frankie laughed. "Are you scared of my father that much, Justin?"

"He can be a bit scary," Justin said grabbing Frankie's arm. "You can be a nice buffer."

"Don't worry mate," Ethan said. "I won't let my wife finish your sandwich."

Maddie watched as Frankie and Justin cut across the cafeteria to where Neville was standing with some of his colleagues. Ethan picked up the photos and started thumbing through them.

"Isn't she adorable?" Maddie asked dreamily resting her head on Ethan's shoulder.

"Yeah she's really cute," Ethan chuckled at the picture of Hannah eating pancakes.

"You'd be such a great father," Maddie said softly.

"I hope I'm as good a father as mine," Ethan kissed the side of her head.

"You will be," Maddie said.

"It still seems strange," Ethan commented. "Frankie as a mother."

"I know," Maddie agreed. "But seeing her with Hannah...it makes sense."

"Yeah," Ethan nodded. "She really loves Frankie."

"And the other night when I stopped by to see Allie and Jon, I saw little Adam...he's so cute!" Maddie exclaimed. "And then there's little Chloe...and the triplets! Ethan, they're getting so big!"

Ethan looked at her with a half smile. "You thinking about us having kids?"

"Maybe a little," Maddie admitted. "I know we agreed to wait a couple of years..."

"Right," Ethan nodded. "I think if we had kids, we'd need a bigger place. And we're nowhere near able to afford that right now."

"Your parents raised you and Julie in the cottage," Maddie pointed out.

"Well yeah but--" Ethan began.

"You're not ready for that yet," Maddie interjected. "I know...and to tell you the truth, I'm probably not either. I just got to thinking about it is all."

Ethan nodded, relieved. "I'd just like a little more time alone with you first..."

"Nothing wrong with that," Maddie said smiling back at him. "And we have our hands full with Blue."

"Our pseudo child," Ethan said wryly.

"He's our baby," Maddie said giggling.

"See Justin," Frankie pointed out. "He's not that bad. My Dad's a big teddy bear."

"I probably shouldn't have blurted all that out when you were giving him a hug, but I thought it was best to get him when he was distracted," Justin said.

Frankie laughed. "Some Auror you are."

"Justin has a bit of history with your dad," Ethan said when they sat back down.

"Mister Teddy Bear practically had steam coming out of his ears," Justin remembered with a gulp.

"Why?" Frankie was amused. "What did you do?"

"I might have lost his case notes to the Taran - Steller case," Justin said sheepishly.

Frankie gasped. "That was you?"

"It was an accident!" Justin insisted.

"And then we had to spend all night recreating them," Ethan grumbled.

"Is that why you were so cranky that one day?" Maddie asked innocently.

Ethan nodded. "Staying up all night will do that."

"Poor baby," Maddie kissed his cheek.

"But Daddy was really nice to you just then, Justin," Frankie said loyally.

"Yeah only cause you were there," Justin said to her.

"Are you this frightened of Harry, too?" Maddie asked.

"Of course not," Justin snorted, picking up his sandwich.

"You're not?" Maddie asked hiding her grin as her father-in-law stood behind Justin.

"No way," Justin answered.

"You really are brave," Maddie said. "He would scare me...."

"Why?" Justin asked as Ethan grinned. "He's pretty... what?"

"Nothing," Ethan said. "Continue..."

Justin shook his head. "You lot are bloody odd. Harry Potter isn't a tough teacher. He's--"

"Right behind you," Frankie said laughing.

Justin paled. "What?"

"Hello, Justin," Harry said quietly.

"Sir!" Justin jumped up from his chair.

"What are you laughing at, Potter?" Harry asked his son.

"N-nothing," Ethan stammered standing up as well.

Maddie and Frankie looked at each other and hid their giggles.

"So, I'm not scary?" Harry asked getting in Justin's face.

"I was joking sir," Justin tried to lean back.

"What about you, Potter?" Harry asked his son. "Do you think I'm scary?"

"Dad--" Ethan began.

"I beg your pardon?" Harry asked him.

"I mean Auror Potter," Ethan said, gulping.

"I believe your lunch hour was over about ten minutes ago," Harry said looking at his watch. His green eyes were dark with anger.

Ethan glanced at his watch. "Shit... Mads I'm sorry..."

"It's okay," Madeline assured him. "Go---'

"Go!" Harry barked.

"Yes, sir," Justin said hastily. "Yes, sir."

Harry watched both the men scamper out of the room. "That was easier than I thought," he grinned at Frankie and Maddie.

"Uncle Harry!" Frankie exclaimed. "I thought you were serious!"

Harry laughed as he sat down. "I'm a good actor."

"Really good," Frankie said shaking her head. "I nearly followed them out!"

"How's that little one of yours doing?" Harry asked. "I can't believe you haven't brought her by yet."

"I will," Frankie promised. She handed him the envelope of photographs.

Harry chuckled. "She's cute."

"We had the best time this past weekend buying school supplies for her," Frankie said proudly. "All purple, of course. She has the cutest little backpack...just wait until you see it!"

"Bring her by for dinner," Harry said. "I won't let Hermione cook anything, don't worry."

"She'd love that," Frankie said smiling at him. "Thanks, Uncle Harry."

"Anytime," Harry smiled back at her. "I've got to get back to terrorising those two."

"Go easy on them," Maddie told him.

Harry kissed his daughter in law's cheek, then his goddaughter’s. "Maybe I will." he teased.

"Those poor boys," Frankie said shaking her head.

"I think it's funnier knowing that he's joking," Maddie giggled. "And they think he's serious."

"I agree," Frankie giggled pushing her tray to the side. "I'm so glad that I stopped by. I've missed you."

"Same here," Maddie agreed. "I miss when we all used to go out dancing."

"We should do that again," Frankie said.

Maddie nodded eagerly. "Maybe in the next few weeks."

"I'm sure my mum and dad or Will's folks wouldn't mind babysitting Hannah," Frankie said thoughtfully.

"What about leaving her with Allie again?" Maddie suggested. "Unless of course, you want to give them grandparent time..."

"Mum's been hinting," Frankie said.

Maddie giggled. "Then we should give her the opportunity."

"I know it's a bit silly of me to take so many photos, but I can't help it," Frankie said placing the envelope in her bag.

"I don't think it's silly," Maddie told her best friend. "You're a new parent. Granted, Hannah's not a newborn, but it's the same feeling."

"It really is," Frankie said nodding. "I knew you'd understand."

Maddie smiled. "You know, someday when Ethan and I have our first baby, I want you to be the godmother."

"Maddie!" Frankie beamed at her. "Of course!"

"It's not happening anytime soon," Maddie said. "But someday."

"When it does, I have no doubt that you'll be a great mum," Frankie said.

"I hope so," Maddie said fervently. "I always wanted to have a big family, like I grew up in."

"You want six?" Frankie asked.

"If possible," Maddie said with a grin.

"And how does Ethan feel about that?" Frankie asked.

"I don't think he knows yet," Maddie revealed with a grin.

Frankie laughed. "That poor bloke isn't going to know what hit him."

"I think Ethan would enjoy a large family," Maddie toyed with her hair.

"Just the same, you might want to tell him about your plans for that many," Frankie counselled.

Maddie laughed. "We were talking a bit about it earlier."

"Were you?"

The blonde nodded. "We're going to wait a few more years. Enjoy married life a bit more before adding on."

"Excellent idea," Frankie agreed. "You two have all the time in the world to plan a family."

"That's what I think," Maddie replied. "Although I must admit I get a bit maternal when I see you and Hannah together."

Frankie smiled. "You really think I'm doing okay?"

"Absolutely," Maddie nodded. "You are the best mother for her, Frankie."

"I love her so much," Frankie said.

"It's really amazing to see how she's opened up as well," Maddie continued. "It's wonderful watching her with Will."

"Last night the two of them fell asleep on the sofa," Frankie said. "I just stood and watched them. It was the sweetest thing ever."

Maddie grinned. "It's like when I come home late and find Ethan asleep with Blue curled up on his shoulder."

Frankie smiled. "Adorable..."

"He's my baby for now," Maddie giggled.

"And he eats like you too," Frankie laughed.

Maddie beamed proudly. "That reminds me; tonight is his fish and chips night."

Frankie shook her head. "I don't remember Dolly eating like this."

"We just started it a few months ago," Maddie told her.

"And is he still liking his little obstacle course?" Frankie asked.

"He plays in it every day," Maddie nodded. "We can fit everything of his in that cage Ethan gave him for Christmas."

Frankie looked at her watch. "I should get back to the office and I know you need to get back downstairs."

"Right," Maddie said reluctantly. "We'll do dinner soon."

"And dancing," Frankie said getting to her feet.

"Dancing for sure," Maddie agreed, giving her best friend a hug.

"You, Madeline Molly Weasley Potter are my bestest friend in the whole wide world," Frankie said smiling at her.

"And you, Francesca Lynn Longbottom Barron, are mine." Maddie laughed.

"And we're old married girls now," Frankie said laughing. "Can you believe it?"

"Hardly," Maddie said.

"You're coming to the match, too right?" Frankie asked. "It is the biggest match of your baby brother's career."

"Of course I'll be there," Maddie said as they left the cafeteria. "Are you bringing Hannah?"

Frankie nodded. "She's handling the crowds a bit better than she did before."

"Good," Maddie nodded.

Frankie gave her another hug. "I'll talk to you later, Mads."

"Bye Frankie!" Maddie waved. "Thanks for coming by!"

As Maddie made her way back downstairs to her office, she couldn't help but smile at the thought of her and Ethan with a house full of children and Blue.

It would be a dream come true for her, Maddie thought.

162. 162- Drew and Darla Interview this week!

This chapter brings us back to the Hogwarts crowd- and we think you’ll ALL enjoy the next chapter- which features ONLY the original characters and flashbacks galore from Dirty Dancing!

At the end of this chapter is Drew and Darla’s interview, and next week we will be talking to Ashley and Katie. Please send in your questions for them!!!

It was now just a couple of weeks before the Easter holiday and Saffron was already looking forward to seeing her family again and of course, Andrew. He'd been writing to her when he could and it meant a lot to her even though she knew he had a lot on his mind with the upcoming Cup match between his team and Puddlemere. Though the odds were against Wimbourne, Saffron had a feeling they would pull off the upset.

She'd just finished her last class for the day and she'd arrived back in her room to find a letter waiting on her bed. She squealed when she recognised her boyfriend's familiar handwriting.

She tore into the envelope and began to read his letter.

Saffy:

Coach is really killing us with two-a-day practises. I have barely enough time to eat and don't even ask me when I last had more than three hours sleep. I cannot believe I'm actually playing in the championship match! We were just listening to it last year on the Wireless! And now, me---Andrew Kirke Jr. ---am playing in it! I just wish that you'd be able to see it. But no matter what the outcome, RJ has promised that we'll celebrate either way.

"Yeah right," Saffron muttered.

-I miss you like always, and I can't wait to see you at Easter. I've already got your birthday present, but I'm not giving you any hints.

My mum and dad would like to take us out for dinner one night during your hols, too. I hope that you can behave yourself, Saffron Grace Potter.

I'm headed out now with RJ and some of his friends. He's really gotten a lot better since he and Serena broke up. We've been having a lot of fun lately at the pubs.

And as an early birthday present, I have something to tell you. Darla let it slip to RJ and me what Serena's real name is---make sure you aren't drinking anything when you read this, Saffy. I don't want you to snort juice out of your nose. Are you ready? Serena Starr's real name is...Muriel Dorfman. –

"WHAT?" Saffron shrieked, falling onto her bed in uproarious laughter.

-Feel free to share that with anyone you like. I imagine Alexa would get a kick out of that. Please tell her I said hello and tell your other two roommates to stop mooning over a man who is way too old for them. Poor Jake---how's he supposed to compete with that?

Well, I'd better go. RJ's practically dragging me out the door. I promise I won't get pissed and spill any team secrets to him. I love you and can't wait to see you! Love, Andrew –

"Muriel Dorfman," Saffron repeated in glee.

"Who is that?" Alexa asked curiously as she came into the room with Beth.

"You'll never believe who!" Saffron crowed. "Take a wild guess as to who's name that is!"

"A poor soul whose parents obviously couldn't stand her," Beth guessed.

"Probably," Saffron giggled. "That's SERENA STARR'S real name!"

Alexa stared at her friend. "You're kidding?"

"Apparently Drew and Darla found out her real name," Saffron replied. "And told Andrew and RJ."

Alexa and Beth laughed. "That's horrible! I can see why she changed it," Beth said.

"I think it fits her personality," Saffron declared, changing into jeans and a jumper.

Alexa set her books down on her bed and kicked off her shoes. "She doesn't really look like a Muriel though."

"I'd love to get my hands on a picture of her, pre Serena," Saffron batted her eyes.

Beth giggled. "She always says in her interviews that she was an ugly duckling that blossomed into a swan."

"She's an ugly duckling that blossomed into an uglier duckling," Saffron said bluntly.

"I couldn't agree more," Beth agreed, noticing that Alexa was keeping quiet. "You okay, Lex?"

"Fine," Alexa said. "I'm just tired is all..."

"You doing anything special for Easter hols?" Beth asked her.

"I'm going to help my mum out at the bakery," Alexa replied sitting down on her bed. "I expect that will take up most of my time."

"And you don't think you might be able to squeeze in a hot American college boy?" Beth asked.

Alexa rolled her eyes. "Beth..."

"Lexie, you got an owl from him this morning," Beth pointed out. "And he wrote you a couple of days ago too. Sounds like it's getting serious...."

"We're just friends," Alexa objected, only a hint of a blush on her cheeks- one only Saffron detected.

"You're no fun at all," Beth said shaking her head. "I'm going to the library."

"If you see Mimi, tell her Jake was looking for her," Saffron said, picking up the envelope her letter had come in.

"Okay," Beth said. "See you guys later."

"Awwww!" Saffron exclaimed when Beth had gone. "Lex look how cute Chloe is!"

Alexa stood up and walked over to her best friend. She grinned when she saw the photo of Drew's newborn. "She's adorable." The smile on her face fell as she realised she'd probably never meet Chloe. RJ's family had become like a family to her and it hurt to think she'd never see them again.

"She looks just like Drew," Saffron didn't notice the frown on Alexa's face.

"You...you'll tell her congratulations from me when you see her, right?" Alexa asked.

"Of course I will," Saffron finally seemed to see her. "Oh... I'm sorry Lex..."

"I miss them," Alexa admitted. "Even Fred and George."

Saffron sat down. "I wish I could say you'll see them around... but I know you might not. I wish I knew what to say..."

"You don't have to say anything," Alexa said. "It's okay. And I really don't like putting you and Andrew in the middle."

"I still think RJ is the biggest wanker of them all," Saffron replied.

"You don't have to on my account," Alexa told her. "You've known him since you were babies."

"Yeah but he's a wanker I've known since we were babies," Saffron said dismissively.

"You were friends way before I came into the picture and I feel bad that because of me you aren't even speaking to each other," Alexa said.

"Correction," Saffron replied. "YOU are my best friend, he is not."

"I still feel bad," Alexa said. "But I am grateful that I have such a great best friend."

Saffron grinned at her. "And this best friend noticed you blush when you were talking about Gabriel earlier."

"He has been writing to me an awful lot lately," Alexa admitted.

"Do you think you're ready for another relationship?" Saffron asked.

"I don't know," Alexa said. "But I really do like him and he's been such a great friend."

Saffron smiled at her. "You'll do what's best for you... I know that for sure."

"He told me to tell you hello," Alexa said.

"How are his classes going?" Saffron asked.

"He says that they’re tough but challenging," Alexa replied.

"If anyone can ace them, he can." Saffron stretched out on her bed. "I can't wait to see Andrew when we go home for Easter hols."

"You still want to listen to the wireless this weekend?" Alexa asked. "Some of the boys are arranging a big listening party in the Great Hall."

"Of course," Saffron said. "Even if I don't like RJ, I still intend to play for Puddlemere."

"You'd be team mates," Alexa pointed out. "And you'd have to talk to each other eventually."

"I could avoid that if I wanted," Saffron shrugged.

Alexa laughed. "If anyone could, you could."

Saffron grinned at her. "So what else has Gabe been up to?"

"He's studying most of the time, but he said he spends some evenings with his father. And he says his grandfather is still kind of cool towards his dad, but they're making progress."

"That's good to hear," Saffron put her letter into her nightstand, then looked slyly at her. "And what did he say that made you blush?"

"You know how we met with your sister last week to discuss our future goals?" Alexa asked. "Well, I'm seriously considering going to University in the States, Saffy."

Saffron's eyes widened. "Really?"

"I just think it'd be nice to start over in a new place," Alexa said softly.

"I'll miss you," Saffron replied. "But if it makes you happy, then I'm happy for you."

"Nothing's decided yet," Alexa said hastily. "I'm just thinking about it. I'd really like to pursue my writing."

Saffron nodded. "You're so good at that. And you'll be near Gabe if you go to University in California."

"Which is exactly what he said," Alexa said with a grin.

"The plot thickens," Saffron said mischievously.

"I envy you though," Alexa said to her friend. "You've known exactly what you wanted to do when you get out of here for as long as I can remember. I'm still trying to figure it all out."

"You're the smartest girl I know," Saffron said loyally. "You'll know what you want to do by the time we leave here."

"I can't imagine going somewhere like that without you," Alexa said. "You've been there for me for everything big that's happened in my life."

"Luckily by then we'll both know how to Apparate," Saffron said. "So perhaps on weekends and such, we'll get together. And you can come back here for all my big matches."

"I wouldn't miss them for the world," Alexa promised.

Saffron gave her a hug. "You and me- we're going to do just fine Lex."

"We will," Alexa agreed. "I'll be a mess on our Graduation Day."

"I'll hold it in until we're alone," Saffron grinned.

Alexa giggled. "Not me. I'll be a sniffling blob."

Saffron threw her pillow at her friend and then flopped back. "I can't WAIT to see Andrew!"

Alexa hit her with the pillow. "I seem to remember my best friend a couple years ago telling me that she had noooooooooooooooo time for silly boys."

"A few years ago I hadn't realised how gorgeous Andrew Kirke is," Saffron laughed.

"And you'd snogged RJ," Alexa teased.

"Don't remind me," Saffron groaned.

"I remember when I couldn't string two words together when he was around," Alexa said blushing.

"That seems like it was so long ago," Saffron replied thoughtfully.

"It wasn't that long ago," Alexa said.

***

The Great Hall was already bustling with students that first day of classes. Alexa couldn't believe she was entering her third year. Summer hols had gone by so fast and she hadn't seen Saffron for almost two and a half months. Her best friend had spent most of the summer at her parents' beach house in Brighton and Alexa had spent the summer helping her mother in the bakery. The two best friends had caught up on everything last night. And they'd commiserated over their new braces.

"Can you believe this," Saffron moaned. "I'm a metal mouth!"

"Yours look much better than mine," Alexa said as the two girls sat down at the Gryffindor table.

"At least your parents let you get clear ones on the top," Saffron grumbled. "You'd think mine would just let me fix them with magic. But noooooo..."

"Andrew!" RJ exclaimed from behind Alexa. "Where are my sunglasses? Saffron's mouth is blinding me!"

Saffron glared at him. "Shut up RJ!"

RJ sat down beside Alexa causing her to blush bright red.

"Don't listen to him, Saf," Andrew said. "They don't look bad."

"Thanks," Saffron said glumly.

Alexa reached for a roll from the bread basket at the same time RJ did.

"Hiya Lexie," he smiled at her. "You want this one?"

"Uh...um...well," Alexa said withdrawing her hand and wanting to just disappear.

"Here," he held it out to her. "Take it."

"Thanks," Alexa said taking it from him.

"You got them too, eh?" RJ asked her.

"Unfortunately," Alexa blushed.

"No one in my family's ever had to have them," RJ said proudly.

"Goody for you," Saffron glared at him.

"It's not that bad, Saffy," Andrew tried to reassure her. "Honestly."

Saffron gave him a half smile. "It's nice of you to say so, but I know they're horrid."

"They're not," Andrew said.

"RJ, you should take lessons from Andrew," Saffron says. "He knows the right things to say."

Andrew puffed his chest out. "Did you hear that?"

"Sod off, mate." RJ said. "Lexie here thinks I do just fine, right?"

Alexa nodded. "Um, you're ...perfect."

RJ beamed. "Did you hear THAT?"

"She was up all night talking to me," Saffron said rolling her eyes. "She's not making sense."

RJ put his arm around Alexa. "I'm perfect."

Alexa could hardly breathe and she trembled in excitement at how close RJ was.

"You are a smart girl, Alexa O'Leary," RJ said grinning at her.

"I try," Alexa said, her voice shaking a little.

"You trying out for Quidditch this year?" RJ asked Saffron, dropping his arm from Alexa's shoulder.

Saffron shook her head. "Not until next year at the earliest."

"If I'm captain you can consider yourself on the team," RJ told her. "You're damn good at it Saf."

Saffron looked at him in surprise. "Did you just compliment me?"

"Don't let it go to your head," RJ replied.

"Who me?" Saffron asked innocently.

"Yes you," RJ pointed at her. "You have a bigger ego than anyone I know."

"It's nowhere near as big as yours," Saffron said. "Andrew, did you know this summer, I walked in on him checking himself out in the mirror?"

"That doesn’t surprise me," Andrew commented dryly.

RJ glared at her before returning his attention to Alexa. "How do you put up with her?"

Alexa blushed again. "She's a good friend..."

"She appreciates me unlike some people," Saffron said to him.

"Whatever," RJ said dismissively.

"I don't understand why you don't want to try out yet," Andrew said to Saffron. "You are amazing on a broom."

Saffron blushed. "You really think so?"

"I do," Andrew said smiling at her. "My dad always tells me how great your dad was, but I tell him that he hasn't seen you fly."

"I'm good, but nowhere near as great as my dad," Saffron glowed. "But he's taught me just about everything he knows."

"You're much better than Ethan," RJ said. "And he had the chance to go pro."

"Can you believe he didn't do it?" Saffron asked RJ. "Honestly... my brother is such a git."

"He wants to do everything like Uncle Harry," RJ said. "Since your dad didn't do it, he didn't do it. So, he's going to be a big, bad Auror."

"He's going to catch all the bad guys," Saffron said.

"What about your older sister?" Andrew asked. "Does she play?"

Saffron laughed. "Jules won't even get on a broom!"

"Sounds about like me," Alexa admitted quietly.

"Oh come on," RJ looked at her. "You don't like flying?"

"I'm not very good at it," Alexa said her voice cracking a bit as she looked at him. "I'm not scared of it or anything...just not very good."

"You should..." RJ's voice trailed off as two girls walked by.

Alexa followed his gaze and sighed. "I-I didn't know you knew Christina Grant."

RJ gazed at the blond. "Man is she hot."

Saffron rolled her eyes. "I think your porridge has more depth than she does."

"You just don't know her," RJ said defensively.

"I don't see why you do," Saffron said. She smiled at Andrew. "I'm glad you're not acting like him."

Andrew grinned back at her. "She's not my type."

Saffron beamed at him. "I always knew I liked you for a reason."

Alexa pushed her plate away, suddenly not feeling very hungry.

RJ tore his attention away from Christina. "You alright Lexie?

"I'm not very hungry," she said softly.

"Mind if I have your waffles then?" RJ asked.

Alexa nodded.

"Hey, RJ," Saffron commented. "Do you remember that fudge I brought over to Nana's? Alexa made that."

"Are you serious?" RJ stared at the redhead. "That fudge was bloody fantastic!"

Alexa smiled nervously at him. "It's my mum's recipe. She---she has a bakery in London."

"If you bring me more of that, I'll be your slave forever," RJ vowed.

"My mum sends me a care package every couple of weeks," Alexa said. "Next time she does, I'll make sure to set some aside for you."

"You're the best," RJ grinned at her.

"Thanks," Alexa said smiling back at him.

***

"I can't believe I didn't notice," Saffron said throwing her pillow at Alexa again. "I mean now that I look back on it you were completely obvious!"

"So was Andrew," Alexa said, throwing it back. "He was practically drooling on you Saffy."

"He was, wasn't he?" Saffron giggled.

"Face it," Alexa said dryly. "He's always had an eye for you."

"And I finally woke up and realised it," Saffron said hugging the pillow to her. "He makes me so happy, Lex."

"I'm really glad," Alexa sat on the edge of her friend's bed. "He's such a great guy and he loves you so much."

"You're going to find someone like that again," Saffron said. "I know it."

"I hope so," Alexa thought about Gabriel.

In California, Gabriel was thinking about her.

"You're going to miss the first game of the season you know," Lewis told his grandson. "Opening Day---Dodgers versus the Giants. We've not missed one yet until now."

"I'm sorry," Gabriel apologised.

"Nonsense," Margaret said setting the plate of food down in the middle of the table. The Boyds were sitting down to breakfast and Lewis was trying yet again to convince his grandson not to go to England for Easter.

"Gabe you shouldn't apologise for wanting to spend the holiday with your father," Margaret told him.

"I know but--" Gabriel began.

"Eat your waffles," Margaret cut him off.

Gabriel grinned at her. "Yes ma'am."

Lewis shook his head and went back to reading his newspaper.

"Grandpa," Gabriel said. "You're not going to hold it against my dad because I want to go back to England are you?"

"No," Lewis grumbled.

"You swear?" Gabriel asked.

Margaret levelled her gaze at him.

"I swear," Lewis finally replied.

"I promise to come back for as many games as possible this summer," Gabriel told his grandfather.

"What?" Lewis asked folding his newspaper and setting it aside. "You're going to England for the summer?"

"Lewis, not the entire summer," Margaret reminded him. "Just a few weeks in Brighton with Lavender's family."

"I had a lot of fun there last year," Gabriel said. "And I want to go again. I want to spend time with my dad."

"And he's not going to be filming this time so Seamus can spend more time with Gabriel," Margaret said smiling at her grandson. "Isn't that great, Lewis?"

Lewis grunted as he turned the page of his paper.

The doorbell chimed and Gabriel excused himself to answer it.

"Who is it dear?" Margaret called to her grandson.

"Dad," Gabriel replied catching sight of his father's car in the drive.

Lewis rolled his eyes. "Figures," he muttered.

"You had better be nice," Margaret warned.

"I hope you don't mind me showing up uninvited," Seamus said as he came into the kitchen with Gabriel. He handed Margaret a bouquet of flowers.

"They're lovely, Seamus," Margaret said taking them and pecking him on the cheek. "Thank you."

"You're very welcome," Seamus smiled at her. "Hello Lewis."

"Seamus," Lewis nodded.

"Sit down," Margaret said. "We have more than enough. Are you hungry?"

"Are those your homemade pancakes?" Seamus's eyes were glued to the table. "If so, I'm suddenly starving."

Margaret grinned. "Coming right up."

"Do you want some coffee, Dad?" Gabriel asked.

"Sure," Seamus replied. "Thanks son,"

Lewis pretended to be interested in his newspaper. Seamus pulled an envelope out of his pocket. "Lewis, I bet you're excited about Opening Day, eh?" Seamus asked conversationally. When Lewis didn't reply, Seamus sighed. "Well, I was thinking you might like to watch the game in better seats. I have box seats and since I'm not going to be here, I was thinking you could take them off of my hands. Right behind home plate."

Gabriel stared at his father. "RIGHT behind home plate?"

"Right behind home plate," Seamus said grinning at him.

Lewis was also staring at the tickets wordlessly.

"Much better than our regular seats, Grandpa," Gabriel said. "I wish I could go now."

"I can arrange it so you can be back here for the game," Seamus told him.

"Really?" Gabriel asked excitedly. "Dad! You're the best!"

Lewis coughed. "Yes... thank you."

"It's my pleasure, "Seamus said as Margaret set a plate of pancakes before him.

"Eat up," Margaret said. "You're too thin and pale, Seamus."

Seamus laughed. "You don't have to twist my arm. This looks delicious."

"She makes the best," Gabriel smiled at his grandmother.

"Samantha ran a close second," Seamus said proudly.

Gabriel nodded. "Mum and Grandma used to have bake offs once in awhile."

"I remember one or two of those," Seamus said with a laugh.

Lewis smiled a bit. "I always liked those days."

"Do you remember that Thanksgiving?" Seamus asked him.

"Vaguely," Lewis replied. "I ate myself into a coma."

"My first ever Thanksgiving dinner," Seamus told his son. "Your mum and grandmother outdid themselves."

Gabriel chuckled. "Why do I find that completely easy to believe?"

"I ate enough to feed a small army," Seamus said cutting his pancakes. "And just when I thought I couldn't eat anymore, Sam comes out with this huge pumpkin pie."

Lewis laughed. "That thing was big enough to feed the entire Los Angeles area."

"She did have me on that pie," Margaret said fondly. "Lewis ate half and Seamus ate the other."

Gabriel laughed. "I usually wound up eating the whole pie."

"And sneaking pieces when you thought we weren't looking," Margaret said mussing his hair.

"I tried," Gabriel grinned.

"These are great, Margaret," Seamus said smiling at her. "Thank you."

"Anytime you want more, you tell me," Margaret told him.

"How's Lavender?" Gabriel asked.

"She's great," Seamus replied. "Just set out her spring line, so she's really busy right now."

"She's so talented," Margaret said. "I don't know how she does it."

"Lav works hard," Seamus said with a grin. "She's determined to fashion the whole world."

Lewis stood up to get himself another cup of coffee. "She's been really good to Gabe."

Seamus smiled at his son. "She loves him just like I do."

"And you have too," Lewis begrudgingly admitted.

"Gabriel means more to me than anyone," Seamus said honestly.

"Then we have something in common," Lewis said giving Seamus a half-smile.

Seamus nodded. "That we do."

"It's about time you stopped acting like a horse's ass," Margaret said to her husband.

"Maggie!" Lewis exclaimed as Gabriel laughed.

"It's true," Margaret said grinning at him.

Seamus pushed the tickets across the table. "I had those transferred into your name, Lewis."

"Thank you," Lewis said sincerely.

Gabriel smiled at his grandfather. "We're going to have so much fun sitting that close."

"Best seats I've had," Lewis said looking at the tickets.

"I'm sure I could arrange for you guys to get into the locker room afterwards if you want," Seamus offered.

Gabriel's jaw dropped. "Get out!"

"If you want," Seamus smiled at him.

"Could you get a third ticket?" Lewis asked him.

Seamus nodded, thinking Lewis would want Margaret to go along.

"Gabe and I would like it if you'd....join us," Lewis said quietly.

"You want ME to come?" Seamus was a bit disbelieving.

Lewis shrugged. "My father used to take me to the games when I was a kid. I never had a son and when Gabe came along, I continued the tradition. And you're a part of our family. It would only be right if you were a part of that."

"Thanks Lewis," Seamus smiled at the older man. "I'll be there."

Margaret gave her husband a hug. "I'm so proud of you."

Lewis coughed gruffly. "Yes well..."

Gabriel couldn't believe this was actually happening. He was quite proud of his grandfather, too.

"Saffron wrote and told us she can't wait to see you at Easter," Seamus told his son.

"She won't even know I'm there, Dad," Gabriel laughed. "Andrew's all she'll see."

Seamus snorted. "Well then I'm sure Alexa will be glad to see you.”

"I'm looking forward to seeing her," Gabriel admitted.

Margaret smiled. "You have a soft spot for this girl..."

Gabriel pushed his food around on his plate. "Grandma."

"We're not supposed to embarrass him," Seamus teased.

"I can't wait to meet the girl who's been writing to my grandson," Margaret said.

"Perhaps we should have her and Saffron here for a visit soon," Seamus said. "Over Easter hols, you could show them what it's like in LA for a night."

"Really?" Gabriel asked. "That'd be great, Dad."

"Sure," Seamus replied. "Whatever you want, Gabe."

"Maybe Andrew would like to come too," Gabriel said thoughtfully.

"I'm sure Saffron would love that," Seamus ate the last of his pancakes.

"I'm really looking forward to meeting her," Margaret said with a grin. "She sounds like such a character."

"Saffron is one of a kind," Gabriel told his grandmother. "Thank goodness."

Margaret laughed. "Well you better get a move on, Gabe. You'll be late."

"Right," Gabriel glanced at his watch. "I have to be at class in thirty minutes."

"Want a lift?" Seamus asked. "It's on my way."

"That'd be great," Gabriel put his napkin down. "Thanks Dad."

Seamus pushed back in his chair. "Margaret, thank you for breakfast. It was fantastic as always."

"You're welcome anytime," Margaret beamed at him.

"Lav and I are still waiting for you two to come over to our home for dinner," Seamus said giving her a hug.

"We'll let you know soon," Margaret pecked him on the cheek.

"Thank you for the tickets," Lewis said shaking Seamus' hand.

"You're welcome," Seamus said. "I'm looking forward to going to the game with you and Gabe."

"Ready?" Gabriel asked coming into the room with his backpack.

"Sure," Seamus nodded. "See you both soon," he nodded to Lewis and Margaret.

"I'll be home around five," Gabriel promised before following his father out the door.

"Thanks for driving me to class," he told his father. "Saves me from walking."

"I could buy you a car," Seamus pointed out.

"You don't have to do that," Gabriel returned.

"I had a feeling that's what you'd say," Seamus said.

"I can afford--" Gabriel began.

"If you'd let me, I'd like to buy you your own car," Seamus interrupted. "You can shop around, or we can do it together. Whatever you want, Gabe."

"Dad," Gabriel protested.

"Think of it as me making up for every birthday and Christmas that I missed," Seamus said.

"You don't have to do this," Gabriel looked over at him.

"I know that," Seamus replied. "But I want to."

"I suppose there could be worse things than having your father buy you a car," Gabriel admitted.

"Right," Seamus pulled the car out of the driveway. "Like having your father party with you and your friends."

"Did your dad ever do that to you?" Gabriel asked.

"We didn't have all that much money growing up," Seamus said thoughtfully.

"Kind of like me," Gabriel said.

"I guess, yeah," Seamus nodded.

"I really am looking forward to Easter and for the summer," Gabriel told him. "It'll be great to spend more time with you."

"I can't wait either," Seamus turned onto a busy street. "Lavender's also excited."

"I'll just need to remind her not to go overboard with her matchmaking," Gabriel said.

"She promised me already she won't bother you," Seamus looked over at his son.

"How long do you think that will last?" Gabriel asked with a grin.

"An hour," Seamus replied dryly.

Gabriel laughed. "She wouldn't be Lavender if she didn't interfere."

"You can say that again," Seamus said. "Why does this drive seem to get shorter every time I take you to class?"

Gabriel grinned. "Thanks, Dad."

"Anytime," Seamus replied. "I'll ring you about car shopping."

"Okay," Gabriel said opening the car door.

"Have a good day in class," Seamus called.

"Yeah, right," Gabriel said stepping out of the car. "Tell Lavender hey for me."

"I will," Seamus promised.

Seamus watched his son walk away and couldn't believe how far they'd come in such a short time. Hell, he'd even made progress with Lewis.

The fact that Sam's father wanted him at the game spoke volumes. He suddenly couldn't wait to get home and tell Lavender.

Lavender was upstairs in her office going over some last minute sketches when Seamus arrived home. "Come here and let me know what you think," Lavender said.

Seamus leaned over her shoulder. "They look great," he said. "I like that one," he pointed to a drawing. "That'd look good for a scene in my next film."

"Well, I'm very expensive," Lavender said grinning at him. "Do you think you could afford me?"

"Maybe I can work out a deal," Seamus leaned in. "I happen to be married to her..."

Lavender gave him a kiss. "You're a tough negotiator."

"Comes with the territory," Seamus replied. "Gabriel says hello."

Lavender grinned. "How is my stepson?"

"Good," Seamus nodded. "Guess what- Lewis wants me to come to the Dodgers games with them."

Lavender raised an eyebrow. "He did? How did you--"

"He asked me," Seamus said triumphantly.

"It's about time he came around," Lavender said. "That's great, Seamus."

"I hope things will get better," Seamus sat down.

"They're heading in the right direction," Lavender said.

"He's definitely headed over to England with us for Easter," Seamus leaned back. "And wants me to make you promise not to matchmake."

"I wouldn't---" Lavender protested.

"Promise," Seamus raised an eyebrow.

Lavender sighed. "Yes, I promise."

"That's my girl," Seamus smiled at her.

"Your girl needs to finish up these sketches and then get to work on the Saffron line," Lavender said smiling back at him.

"Right," Seamus gave her another kiss. "Don't forget about the premiere tomorrow night."

"I haven't forgotten," Lavender said. "I have three dresses upstairs to choose from.”

Seamus laughed. "Why doesn't that surprise me?"

She poked his side. "I have to look my best."

"You always do to me," Seamus looked at her fondly.

"I love you," Lavender said softly.

"I love you," Seamus kissed her again.

"Taryn's waiting for you downstairs in your office," Lavender told him.

"Thanks," he said. "I'll see you later."

"Don't work too hard," Lavender called after him.

"You too!" Seamus returned.

Week 12: Drew and Darla

Heaven: I'm glad Drew and Darla are able to take time from their busy lives these days for the interview. Their wedding is sure approaching fast!

Amynoelle: I know! I imagine they're both really excited!

Heaven: We'll probably have to make this a quick one!

Amynoelle: I wonder if Drew will bring Chloe?

Heaven: AWWWW! I hope so!!!

Amynoelle: And unlike some people, I certainly wouldn't tell her the baby needed hair extensions!

Heaven: *snorts* I really can't believe that...

Amynoelle: Serena, Serena, Serena...

Heaven: I wonder if she'll decide to come back...

Amynoelle: I hope not!

Heaven: Those types of girls always have a way of popping back in when you least expect it--

Amynoelle: Very true...and she might be fun to interview.

Heaven: Our readers would torture her.

Amynoelle: Might be fun though…oooh! Here's Drew and Darla! And they did bring Chloe!

Heaven: DREW! She's gorgeous! Can I hold her?

Drew: Thank you. Of course, you can hold her!

Heaven: She looks so much like you!

Darla: She's gorgeous and I'd say that even if I wasn't her aunt.

Heaven: How about those hair extensions, Drew? Have you looked into those?

Drew: *Rolls eyes*: No, we decided against that. I still can't believe she said that.

Amynoelle: Now that RJ's through with her, give us your real opinion on Miss Serena Starr.

Darla: Are there children reading this? If so, we'd better refrain...

Amynoelle: You can give us the censored version...

Darla: To say it in a nice way, that girl is an utter, complete ditz. She has absolutely zero talent and I could have slapped her around for saying those things about RJ if I was given the chance.

Drew: Well said, Dar. Look, we want our little brother to be happy, but that being said, it's really good to know that she's not in the picture anymore. RJ deserves better than that.

Heaven: Yes, yes he does. And I'm sure he'll get it too. Hey Amy, want to hold Chloe? Do you mind, Drew?

Drew: No, go right ahead.

Amynoelle: *takes the baby*: Hello, Chloe Hope.

Heaven: While Amy fawns over the baby, I'll start asking you guys some of these questions. I know you're both quite busy these days.

Drew- not to bring up a sore spot or anything, but RC wants to know do you think about Paul sometimes, and how your life would be if he had supported you when you were pregnant? And after that, if you have met Brian?

Drew: I do think about Paul, sometimes. I loved him very much and when we first got together, he was really loving and sweet and really charming. Things really changed for us when I found out I was pregnant. I don't think about what my life would have been like had he stepped up and taken responsibility. I'm very happy with Brian and Chloe.

Darla: Brian is far, far better than Paul ever was. He makes Drew and Chloe his entire world and that's the way it should be.

Amynoelle: If you don't mind, we have some more questions about Paul. Coolman wants to know something about your relationship with Paul. How did you meet, get together, your good and bad experiences and finally your break up.

Drew: We actually met at a wedding- I was there coordinating and he was a guest. We clicked instantly and we had so much fun together- it was very casual and grew into something more after about a year. When I discovered I was pregnant, he began pulling away.

Heaven: What a jerk!

Drew: Yes... and I didn't even tell him when... when I lost the baby.

Amynoelle: We really were sorry to hear about Hope.

Drew: Thank you. It was a really tough time for me.

Heaven: Thank goodness you had Darla to help you.

Drew: I couldn't have made it through without her.

Amynoelle: Another reader, natalie, wants to know what did it feel like when you first held your baby? What age are you going to tell your daughter about her late sister?

Drew: Absolutely. When Chloe's old enough, I'll tell her all about Hope. And when I held her, and saw her looking up at me... it was the most incredible feeling in the world.

Amynoelle: We're both happy for you---for you and Darla. How are the wedding plans going?

Darla: Everything's going pretty smoothly... for now. It's never easy, especially as the date gets closer.

Heaven: Molly, toinkydoink and natalie all want to know how you two decided you wanted to be wedding planners?

Darla: When I graduated from Hogwarts, I really didn't know what I wanted to do. I was at a complete loss. One day I was reading the paper and saw an advert for this wedding planning business. I interned for this nice woman in Dublin and then a couple weeks later, Drew joined on. After a couple of years working for her, we decided to go out on our own. We've just always loved weddings and it's really a great career. Don't you think, Drew?

Drew: It's fantastic. Since we own our own business, we can come and go as we please and not have to answer to anyone. And we do a good job!

Amynoelle: And you finally were able to do one for your sister, Maddie. After your two brothers eloped, you probably thought you'd never plan a wedding for someone in your family.

Drew: I was beginning to think everyone would just run off. *laughs* but planning Maddie's wedding was wonderful. She was really a perfect bride!

Heaven: She was so gorgeous that day! She and Ethan really are made for each other! Okay... TheGreatFox2000 has a question for both twins: How many times, if ever, have Fred and George tried or successfully influenced you both in any way? Surely they'd try to use the 'twins' thing to their advantage.

Darla: *laughs*: They're really great blokes when they're not trying to get Daddy upset, of course. They've tried to use us as guinea pigs for some of their experiments, especially when we were little.

Heaven: And now they try to use your nieces and nephews.

Drew: All the time. And people wonder why neither of them is married...

Heaven: *laughs* we should have asked your dad that question. He would have given us an interesting answer.

Drew: Most definitely.

Amynoelle: A reader with an interesting name has a question for you. Captain H. Short(y-pants) asks growing up, you two were kind of always off doing your own thing. Now that you're older, you have more interactions with your family. Is that because you were shy when you were younger? Or because of Hope? And how do you feel about how RJ's doing right now?

Darla: I was so, so shy when I was younger. But as I got older and matured, I grew out of that. And our family is extremely close- we often joke "Mess with one Weasley, you mess with them all."

Amynoelle: *whispers to Heaven* Do you think that pertains to all Weasleys, such as a certain red-headed girl who now lives in Australia?

Heaven: *

whispers* probably not her. No one even likes that ho.

Amynoelle: *whispers* Good, because it's no secret that we don't like her...

Drew: Everything okay?

Amynoelle: Absolutely! We were just going over the questions. Heaven, which question's next?

Heaven: Darla, RC wants to know if it's hard to see all the girls hitting on Hans since he's so gorgeous and famous?

Darla: He is gorgeous and famous, but he comes home to me so that's all that matters.

Amynoelle: NicholePotter86 wants to know if you and Hans will start your own family someday? And what does Hans think about having babies?

Darla: We eventually will have a family, yes. Hans wants children, but not right away.

Amynoelle: Orli Luva wants to know how long you and Hans have been together?

Darla: A little longer than Brian and Drew.

Amynoelle: And your dad has warmed up to him now, right? No longer calling him 'the model'?

Darla: No, no nothing like that. He's gotten to know him pretty well and they really get along.

Amynoelle: Another good question comes from coolman---he wants to know besides your twin, who is you favourite sibling?

Darla: That's putting us on the spot! We're closest to Maddie, but we love all of our brothers, too. Jon is always ready for a laugh and he'd do anything in the world for you if you needed him. Josh is the smartest bloke I know and RJ is so talented and we know that no matter what, we'd always be able to count on them.

Amynoelle: Drew? Same question...

Drew: I'm obviously closest to Darla, but all of my siblings have their own special attributes. We're lucky, aside from Jon and Josh, we've all always gotten along.

Amynoelle: Well, except for that time when you wanted to move back to England and Maddie wanted to stay in Dublin...I seem to remember you kicking a certain cage...

Drew: We've had our moments... *blushes*

Heaven: Here's one from toinkydoink. Could you tell us what's different between the two of you when it comes to likes/dislikes, personality...etc.?

Darla: Great question. Well, I guess starting with the physical, my hair is longer than Drew's. I'm more into fashion than she is which is why I always go with the brides during fittings and things like that.

Amynoelle: Who's the shyest?

Drew: Definitely Dar. I was never really shy at all. I was also the forward one almost all the time.

Amynoelle: Who's the most sensitive?

Darla: Definitely me.

Heaven: Ok, amr wants to know - Everyone talks about the special connection that twins share. Have you noticed that kind of connection while you were growing up and into your adult years? If so, how was Darla affected during Drew's difficulties before, during and immediately after the miscarriage? That is apart from the obvious 'close sister' connection.

Drew: I've definitely noticed that. We'll sometimes finish each other's sentences. We've always had that connection. I can tell when something's wrong with her and it's the same way for her.

Darla: That night when Drew started bleeding, I was in my room sleeping. I woke up with a start---you know, I could just tell something was wrong and that she needed me.

Heaven: That's pretty amazing.

Drew: She rushed me right to the hospital. And she didn't once leave my side. I needed her so much that night and she was right there.

Amynoelle: I'm glad that you two have each other. Potterchick958 wants to know how you two were growing up and how you feel about each other now? How did you deal with living together? And has Darla gotten through her problems with Hans.

Darla: We still have our ups and downs, but it's not really any problems, per se. It's just relationship squabbles.

Drew and I were always close, always. I can't recall a time when we fought, even as kids.

Amynoelle: Orli Luva's other question was for you, Drew. She wanted to know that being as close as you are to Darla, what's it like having your own family with Brian and Chloe?

Drew: It was different, living away from Darla. We've always shared a place, you know? But it's part of growing up and we still talk every single day. Plus we see each other at work.

Amynoelle: Speaking of Chloe, I think she wants to go back to her mom. Thanks for letting me hold her, Drew.

Drew: Sure thing. I'll just be right back!

Amynoelle: Darla, Molly wants to know how you felt when you and Hans were going through relationship troubles?

Darla: I had no idea what was going to happen at that time. I loved him, but I wasn't about to change things like being with family and all that just for him.

Heaven: It's good that he understood where you were coming from. And I thought it was so sweet when he showed up at Ethan and Maddie's wedding to win you back.

Amynoelle: It really was very romantic, Darla.

Darla: *blushes* yes it was...

Heaven: That makes me think of the last question from coolman. Had Hans not proposed at the time he did would you have planned Drew's wedding alone? Obviously you'd also be the bridesmaid. Wouldn't it have been too much to take up two big roles?

Darla: I would have definitely planned Drew's wedding. And it would have been hectic, but I think I could have done it. Maybe see if Aunt Hermione could give me a Time Turner.

Amynoelle: Our last reader question comes from an anonymous reader who wants to know if you two ever felt ignored? Your baby sister is now related to the Potters. RJ is a Quidditch star and your brothers have also been rather high profile.

Darla: I never felt ignored... I just figured our time would come to be in the spotlight.

Amynoelle: You have two great parents who would never let you feel that way.

Drew: I think they were a little overwhelmed with the six of us at times, but we never wanted for anything. I know that now- the whole move to Ireland was so Dad could provide better for us. He's really a great father. Always has been.

Amynoelle: We've loved watching all of you grow up. It literally seems like just yesterday we were seeing you both for the first time at Hillsdale.

Drew: That was so long ago...

Amynoelle: Heaven, is there anything you wanted to ask Drew and Darla before we let them go?

Heaven: I don't think so. If I ever get married, I'll definitely be calling on you guys though. Good thing you're witches, cause it'll probably be when I'm eighty.

Amynoelle: Do you give senior citizens' discounts?

Heaven: Very funny. You smell like Tom Cruise.

Amynoelle: Okay, Ginevra.

Amynoelle: Eek! Okay, okay! I take it back, I didn't mean it.

Drew: What's the Gordon?

Heaven: You don't want to know...

Drew: Well, we'd better get out of here. We have to get Chloe home.

Heaven: Of course. Thank you both so much for doing the interview!

Darla: It was a lot of fun. Thanks for having us.

Heaven: Anytime! I hope we have this much fun next week with Ashley and Katie!

Amynoelle: Okay then, whose life do we want to torture next in the story?

163. 163- don't forget Ashley and Katie interview this Saturday!

Here’s the first half of the DD flashback chapter- it was so long we had to split it up :) Saturday’s chapter will have the rest of it- it was a lot of fun writing these flashbacks and thinking back on how the characters have changed throughout the years.

Please review and let us know what you think! And don’t forget- Ashley and Katie interview on Saturday. Also at the orkut group, we’re giving you guys a chance to interview the two of us as well, those answers will be posted this Thursday, so you have a few days left!

Due to the fact that it finally seemed as if they all had a bit of free time for once, Harry and Hermione decided to have all their friends over for the evening. Ron, Luna, Neville, Cho, Seamus and Lavender would all be there for dinner, drinks, and most likely do a bit of reminiscing on how things had changed over the years.

"You look incredible," Harry leaned against the door frame and looked at his wife. "Nothing you do could possibly change that."

Hermione smiled at him. "Even after all these years?"

"You still take my breath away," Harry said softly.

Hermione walked over to him and gave him a kiss. "Something smells wonderful. What did you make?"

Harry put his arms around her. "Your favourite."

"I love everything you make," Hermione said softly.

"Somehow I get the impression that you like my chicken casserole the best," Harry replied.

"Yummy," Hermione said giving him a kiss. "You did make enough for us and Ron, right?"

"I made two," Harry answered, pressing his lips back to hers.

"RABBITS!" someone yelled from downstairs.

Hermione groaned. "What do you know? Ron's actually early."

"And as usual, is the loudest person in the room," Harry said sarcastically.

Hermione laughed. "Let's go say hello."

"Ronald," Luna swatted his hand away. "Stay out of the oven!"

"Hey!" Ron grimaced. "I was just trying to see what we were having!"

"You were trying to sneak a bite," Harry came into the kitchen.

"I resent that remark," Ron said.

"No," Hermione said from behind her husband. "You resemble that remark, Ronald Weasley."

"Always great to see you Minister," Ron replied sarcastically.

"It's great to see you both," Hermione said giving Luna a hug. "I'm glad you were able to get away."

"Maddie and Ethan volunteered to baby sit and who were we to say no?" Luna asked with a laugh.

Hermione laughed. "Don't they know what they've gotten themselves into?"

"Well since Joey and Zack were adopted, we've had a much quieter house," Luna said. "We have two babies and a little girl named Ruthie now."

"Joey and Zack were adopted?" Harry asked interestedly.

Luna nodded. "The people who were interested in Joey saw how much the two boys liked being together and adopted both of them. It was really quite wonderful."

"Those poor people don't know what they've done to themselves," Ron muttered.

Luna elbowed him. "You miss those two."

"Yeah," Hermione said teasing him. "You're alone with all that estrogen now."

"Hello?" a voice called out from the sitting room.

"Cho we're in the kitchen," Hermione smiled as her friends came into the room.

"I was so glad you suggested this," Cho said coming into the kitchen with Neville. "We never get together like this."

"Tell me about it," Hermione said as she hugged both of them.

"Aside from Harry and Cho, I forget what the rest of you look like," Neville joked.

"I'm Emma, Caroline and Adam's more attractive, youthful and stronger grandfather," Ron said grinning at Neville.

Neville rolled his eyes. "One of these days all that food you eat is going to make you look as big as Hagrid."

"Not a chance," Ron said smugly. "I have a high magnetism."

"A what?" Hermione asked with a laugh. "I think you mean metabolism."

"Whatever it is," Ron waved his hand. "Where's Ms. High Maintenance?"

"If you mean my cousin, she'll be here soon," Hermione said.

Ron again tried to peek into the oven.

"You keep that up and I swear you'll be eating peanut butter and jelly," Hermione said swatting at him.

"That sounds good for a snack," Ron replied. "Have you got any?"

"No sandwiches for you," Harry said. "You'll wait until Lav and Seamus arrive."

"How about a drink in the meantime?" Hermione asked. "What can I get everyone?"

Everyone called out their drink orders to Hermione.

"And don't worry Cho," Harry said to his friend. "I have a vegetable casserole for you so you don't have to be like the rest of us carnivores."

"You know me too well," Cho grinned at him.

Harry walked over to the bar to help his wife with the drinks. "I can get it."

"I've got it," Hermione said pouring glasses of white wine for Luna and Cho.

"I can do it," Harry said reaching for the bottle.

"I'm capable of pouring a drink," Hermione grinned at him.

"I know," he said. "But I'm trying to help."

Hermione gave him a kiss. "Want to bring these over then?"

"Of course," Harry said taking the two glasses.

"It's hard to believe the two of you were ever at each other's throats," Luna remarked.

"What do you mean?" Harry asked. "We haven't been fighting lately."

Ron nodded at his wife. "I had forgotten about all that. Harry, you remember that time your daft uncle wanted us to clean the ballroom after his rump of a son messed the place up with his crazy friends."

"And Hermione came to help, but you were such an arse to her," Luna said shaking her head.

Harry laughed. "Oh yeah..."

"Oh yeah," Hermione rolled her eyes. "You were barely civil to me despite what I was doing for you."

"I wasn't THAT bad," Harry said defensively.

"Yes you were," Cho replied.

***

Vernon had announced that morning in the employee cafeteria that someone had trashed the ballroom the evening before. They all knew who'd been responsible, but Vernon hadn't wanted to hear a discouraging word against his only son. So, he'd selected a group of employees to clean up the ballroom. It wasn't a coincidence that Harry, Cho, Neville, Ron and Luna were among those chosen. Because two or three of the others were Muggles, Vernon had warned Harry and his friends not to use magic.

"This fucking blows," Harry snapped as they grabbed large rubbish bins from the storage room.

"We'll make it go by fast," Luna said optimistically.

"Yeah right," Neville was also a bit grumpy. "Why the hell are we working here?" he asked. "Just to have Dursley order us around while Dudley gets off scot free?"

"Did you notice Malfoy got off scot free?" Ron grumbled grabbing some cans of cleanser. "That smug git should be doing this."

"He's Vernon's pet," Cho said sarcastically.

"Come on guys," Luna encouraged. "The sooner we start, the sooner we'll be finished."

Everyone, save for Harry left the supply closet. He was trying to untangle the cord for the floor buffer when he heard a familiar voice behind him.

"I ran into someone named Seamus who told me I could find you here," Hermione said smiling at him.

Harry grunted. "There isn't any dancing today."

"Oh," Hermione said trying to hide her disappointment. "The ballroom looks horrible. What happened?"

"Your pal Dudley," Harry threw the cord onto the ground in frustration. "Decided to have a little fun in here. We got blamed for it.”

"He's not my friend," Hermione said leaning down and grabbing the cord. "That's really not fair that you have to clean his mess up."

"You got that right," Harry said shortly.

"Would you like an extra set of hands?" Hermione asked. "I'd be happy to help."

"Why would you want to do that?" Harry asked as if she'd gone mad.

Hermione finished untangling the cord. "Because I'd like to help you guys. An extra set of hands will help get the job done faster."

Harry looked at her for a long moment. "That's... that's nice of you."

"It's no problem," Hermione said reaching into her pocket for a tie to pull her hair back.

Harry couldn't help himself as his eyes travelled over her slender neck and her body. They'd been working hard on learning the dance and while Hermione wasn't exactly a natural, she was learning quickly and holding her own.

"So where do you want me?" Hermione asked.

He almost smiled at her innocent question and the not so innocent reply that nearly came out of his mouth. But instead, he silently pointed across the room where Luna was picking up crumpled pieces of paper.

"Okay," Hermione said reaching for a bag.

Harry watched her cross the room, wishing they could be spending the afternoon practising their dance rather than cleaning.

Ron joined his best friend. "Your girlfriend's helping us now?"

"She's not my girlfriend," Harry said automatically.

"Yet," Ron said with a grin.

"Sod off you wanker," Harry glared at him.

Harry grabbed a broom and started to sweep when he spotted Cho moving some chairs. "CHO!"

"What?" Cho nearly jumped out of her skin.

"You shouldn't be moving those," Harry said stalking over to her. "Not in your condition."

"I'm not an invalid," Cho said defensively. "I think I can move chairs."

"Yeah but you're pregnant," Harry objected. "Neville!"

"And I don't need a keeper," Cho glared at him. "I'm perfectly capable of cleaning, Harry."

"Neville tell her she shouldn't be lifting chairs around in her condition," Harry ignored his friend's squawk of anger.

Neville looked over at them with wide eyes. "I-I um..."

"Never mind him," Cho said. "Neville, would you mind helping me out?"

"Sure," Neville said trying not to look at Harry.

Cho glared at her raven haired friend. "Why don't you go over by Hermione and help her? Merlin knows why she keeps coming after you..."

Harry stalked away from his friends and purposely avoided Hermione.

"Can you really believe this?" Luna was asking her. "I always knew Vernon Dursley was mean, but this is quite atrocious of him."

"With each passing day, my opinion of him gets progressively worse," Hermione agreed. "This is really unfair since you lot didn't have anything to do with this."

Luna peeked over her shoulder at Ron. "We could really use this time to practise for the ballroom, in case Cho can't dance."

"Maybe once it's cleaned up, we can all practice," Hermione suggested.

"Do you think any of us will be up for that, Miss Fix-it?" Harry asked catching her remarks as he walked by.

Hermione rolled her eyes. "Could you please stop ridiculing everything I say?"

"She's only trying to help, Harry," Luna chimed in.

"Help and I don't have to," Hermione retorted. "So could we keep things civil for a change?" she may have thought Harry was handsome, but it didn't mean he had to be a jerk to her at every turn.

"Dursley would fire us all on the spot if he found you in here," Harry said.

"Then I'll go," Hermione stood up.

"No, you stay," Luna said handing Harry her garbage bag. "You help Hermione, Harry. And behave."

"Luna!" Harry exclaimed as the blonde walked off.

"I really do like her," Hermione said quietly.

"I used to," Harry snapped.

"You're a real piece of work," Hermione said throwing her bag down. "Things don't go your way and you automatically slip into arsehole mode. And when you're not in charge, well look out. I am just trying to help. You may resent it and you might not like it, but I'm not going anywhere!"

"Would you keep it down?" Harry hissed. "Everyone's staring at you."

"I don't care," Hermione shot back.

"Well I do!" Harry stood up and glared at her.

"Fine," Hermione said walking away.

He angrily began to gather as much rubbish as he could and stuffed it into the bag. "Bloody bother..." he muttered.

They stayed away from each other for the majority of the afternoon, but tried to sneak looks at each other.

"Why don't you just go apologise," Cho said quietly to him as they were finishing up. "Honestly Harry. It wouldn't kill you to be nice to her. She is helping us out of a jam."

"She probably wouldn't talk to me," Harry said with a shrug.

"You'll never know if you don't try," Cho shoved him in Hermione's direction.

Harry glared at his best friend. "Okay."

Hermione was about to leave the room when she sensed someone behind her. "What is it now?" She asked tiredly.

Harry gave her a slight smile. "I'm sorry."

She blinked. "What?"

Harry shoved his hands in his jeans pockets. "I'm sorry for being such an arse to you. You---you were a big help."

At first Hermione didn't know what to say. "Well um... thanks."

"Hey, why don't you guys show us how the dance is going?" Ron called out.

Both Harry and Hermione turned. "What?" they asked at the same time.

"It would be great practise for Hermione," Cho chimed in. "Dancing in front of a crowd---albeit a small one."

Hermione looked pale. "I don't know..." she said, her stomach turning flips.

"Maybe it would be a good idea," Harry said to her. "Cho's right...you do need to get used to doing this in front of a crowd."

"What if I don't remember all the steps?" Hermione asked.

"I'll hex them if they dare to laugh at you, but I know they won't," Harry said taking her hand and leading her to the centre of the ballroom.

She wasn't sure why, but she felt better as he pulled her close. "Just don't yell at me if I mess up..."

"I promise," Harry said as Ron started the music for them.

Hermione bit her lower lip as they began the dance. Her steps were a bit tense, and she tried to let herself loosen up a bit.

"Don't look at your feet," Harry whispered in her ear.

"Sorry," Hermione said, looking up into his eyes. As she did, she felt herself relax.

Harry couldn't help smiling at her as she performed the steps perfectly.

"How am I doing?" She asked.

"Brilliantly," Harry whispered before dipping her.

They finished up and Cho, Neville, Ron and Luna clapped enthusiastically.

"Not bad at all," Cho said smiling at her. "You look like you've been doing this for years!"

"Really?" Hermione asked. "I'm doing that well?"

"I wouldn't say so otherwise," Cho said giving her a hug. "Thank you again for doing this for me."

"Sure," Hermione said. "For the most part, it's been fun."

"Despite Mister Moody here," Cho said nudging Harry. "Tell her how good she's done!"

Harry nodded. "She's doing great."

"Thanks," Hermione said to him.

"We still have to perfect the whole thing," Harry said. "But for only a week's practise..."

"You can say it," Cho said dryly. "She's doing fantastic."

"She is," Harry said. "She's saving our lives."

Hermione blushed a bit at Harry's praise. She'd never tell him so, but it meant a lot to her.

"We'd better get back to our cabins," Ron said. "I'm knackered."

"You'd better rest up," Luna said. "We have to be back in here to dance tonight."

"That's why I want a kip," Ron said. "See you tonight, Harry."

"Later, mate." Harry replied. He looked back at Hermione. "Want to go practise, or do you have something else to do?"

"I thought you said you wouldn't be up for it after this," Hermione said.

"If you don't want to--" Harry began.

"No, I obviously need all the practise I can get," Hermione interjected. "Despite what Cho said."

"Well then... let's go. Studio should be free."

"Okay," Hermione said following him out the back door.

"Is it just me or does he have the hots for her?" Ron asked.

"Completely," Luna agreed.

"Don't take the Mickey out of him for it," Neville said quietly. "I know he's not always easy to get along with, but he deserves a nice girl."

"Let's just hope he doesn't screw it up," Cho said softly.

***

"He didn't," Hermione leaned back against her husband. "He got his nice girl in the end."

"Even if he does still get moody every now and then," Cho said.

"Not as moody as Ron," Harry said, nearly banging the oven door shut on his friend's hand.

"Come here, Ronald," Luna said motioning for him to join her at the table. "For your own safety..."

"But I'm hungry," Ron whined.

Hermione took pity on him and grabbed a bag of crisps from the pantry. "Will this tide you over?"

Ron nodded eagerly. "Thanks Hermione. I knew I always liked you."

Puddles scampered into the kitchen and jumped into Hermione's lap.

"How you doing, Pud?" Hermione asked scratching behind his ears.

Puddles let out a whine.

"He misses Saffy," Harry said, rubbing the top of the dog's head. "I think he knows she's coming home soon."

"I just wish she and RJ could be friends again," Luna said wistfully. "I hate the animosity between them."

"I love my daughter to death," Harry said. "But she has the uncanny notion of sticking her nose in where it doesn't belong."

"Well, RJ definitely made some mistakes," Luna admitted. "But he's turned his life around."

"He's done remarkably well for Puddlemere," Harry nodded.

"We're very proud," Ron said.

"Is he seeing anyone?" Hermione asked.

Luna shook her head. "Not at the moment."

"That's probably a good thing," Hermione said. "He can clear his head and focus on what he needs."

"We're just happy to have him back in the fold," Ron said. "That Serena...."

"She was something else," Luna added. She told them all about her visit with Drew and how she'd suggested hair extensions for Chloe.

Cho's jaw dropped. "I can't even think of how to respond to that."

Luna shook her head. "I was pretty stunned when I heard it too."

"Well, how is Chloe?" Hermione asked. "I've been meaning to stop by."

"She's wonderful," Luna spoke with pride.

"She already has me wrapped around her little finger," Ron said.

"All the girls have you wrapped around their fingers," Neville cracked. "Take Em, for example."

"I beg your pardon," Ron glared at him. "Little Emma Madeline Weasley has this entire room wrapped around her little finger."

"She reminds me of how Maddie was at that age," Harry said with a chuckle.

"She's exactly like Maddie," Ron agreed.

"And she is the only one who can get us to wear that awful Magic Mud," Neville said shuddering.

Harry laughed. "I seem to be exempt from that. Guess it's because I'm already so good looking."

Ron rolled his eyes. "Yeah, you're bloody gorgeous."

"Don't feed his ego," Cho sipped her wine.

"It can't get any bigger than it already is," Ron grumbled.

"We're in time to hear about Harry's ego," Lavender said from the doorway. "Great..."

"I missed you too Lav," Harry said sarcastically.

"Mister Wonderful," Lavender said nodding at him before giving Hermione a hug. "Look at you! You straightened your hair!"

"Do you like it?" Hermione asked.

"I do," Lavender said smiling at her. "Very chic."

"It's so good to see you," Cho hugged the other woman. "I love your new line."

"Thanks," Lavender said. "I am going to send you a few pieces."

"I've missed you even more," Cho joked.

Lavender laughed. "Pressing your luck."

"How's it going, mate?" Neville asked clapping Seamus on the back.

"Good," Seamus grinned as Harry handed him a beer. "Gabe's doing great in school this term as well."

"We're so proud of him," Lavender gushed. "And his grandfather is finally coming round."

"That's wonderful," Hermione said as kissed Seamus's cheek.

"I can't even imagine what life was like before he came along," Seamus said.

"That's how Will and Frankie feel about Hannah," Cho said proudly. "They've enrolled her in preschool."

"This is so great, isn't it?" Luna asked happily. "How far we've come----and how we're all sitting here years after we all first met talking about our children and our grandchildren."

"We're the core couples," Lavender grinned as Hermione got her a glass of wine. "We did start it all."

"Though it didn't always seem like we'd make it here," Ron remembered thinking back to those early days at Hillsdale with Luna.

***

Much to his surprise, Ron found himself realising he quite fancied Luna Lovegood. In school she'd always seemed a bit daft but here it was different. She was dreamy, sweet and generous, not to mention quite beautiful when she was talking about something she loved.

Not to mention how patient she'd been during their dance lessons. She never made him feel stupid and she was always encouraging.

They were currently waltzing around the studio, Ron doing his best not to step on her feet. "How am I doing?"

"Great," Luna smiled at him. "You're like Fred Astaire, Ronald."

"Who?" he asked.

Luna giggled. "He's a famous dancer who starred in these old musicals. He mostly starred in them with Ginger Rogers. I love watching those films!"

"Oh," Ron had no idea what she was talking about. "So um... they really want us to dance in the ballroom?"

"Since Cho and Harry can't, it's up to you and me," Luna replied. "I'm nervous, but I'm really looking forward to it. Cho's let me borrow one of her dresses."

Ron suddenly felt himself stand up a bit straighter. He'd seen the dresses Cho wore and now he couldn't wait to see how Luna filled them out.

"Tonight, I'm going to wear the blue one," Luna said dreamily. "You know the one that has the slit up the side..."

He gulped. "Yeah..."

"I'm a little worried," Luna said as Ron dipped her. "Because the dress is so skimpy, I can't wear a bra....'

Ron quickly pulled away lest Luna feel something that had suddenly come up.

"Is everything okay?" Luna asked as Ron turned away from her.

"Cramp," Ron lied.

"Do you need me to massage it?" Luna asked helpfully.

"No thanks," Ron said, his voice coming out a bit high pitched.

Luna shrugged and went over to turn off the music. "We can take a break."

"Sure," Ron said, glad his voice sounded a bit more normal. He watched as Luna lifted her long hair and fanned the back of her neck.

"Would you like a bottle of water?" Luna asked reaching into the cooler for one.

"Hey, thanks," Ron said appreciatively.

"No problem," Luna said handing it to him.

Their fingers touched and Ron was positive he felt a spark as he looked at her.

"Ronald," Luna whispered.

"Luna..." he began. "I really like--" he was interrupted when the door to the studio was flung open and his sister hurried inside.

"It's like a sauna out there," Ginny said, rolling her eyes. "That idiot Dursley yelled at me for ten minutes because I actually dared to dip my feet in the lake."

"Ginny," Ron glared at his sister. "We're practising, do you mind?"

Ginny sneered at him. "I thought Harry was supposed to be in here."

"Is that why you're in here?" Ron asked her. "Ginny--"

"I don't want a lecture," Ginny interrupted.

"I always thought you and Dean Thomas made a nice couple," Luna said thoughtfully. "And he still fancies you..."

Ginny gave her a disparaging look. "Me and Dean Thomas? I have better taste than that."

"He's very nice and talented," Luna said. "Do you know he's actually having some of his artwork featured in a gallery this fall?"

"How wonderful for him," Ginny rolled her eyes.

"If not Dean, someone else then," Ron told his sister. "Harry's not into you, Ginny."

"Shut up Ron," Ginny put her hands on her hips. "It's none of your damn business!"

"Perhaps you should put your efforts into finding someone who will reciprocate your feelings," Luna offered.

"Like you've done?" Ginny rounded on her. "How many years have you fancied my brother knowing full well he's never going to fancy you back? Before you start counselling me, perhaps you should look in the mirror...”

"I'm only trying to help," Luna said, trying not to show how much Ginny's words stung. She'd once thought of this girl as her best friend and now they were hardly more than strangers.

"I didn't ask for it, you freak," Ginny spat at her.

"Don't you dare talk to her like that!" Ron exclaimed, grabbing his sister by the arm. "Apologise."

"Let go of me!" Ginny squirmed.

"Apologise," Ron ordered through clenched teeth. "She's been nothing but nice to you and you're acting like a bitch."

"That's a really nice thing to call your sister," Ginny tried to pull away but his grip was iron clad.

"I wouldn't have called you that if you weren't acting like one," Ron said glaring at her. "Apologise."

Ginny muttered something that neither of them could really hear.

"What was that?" Ron asked, his grip tightening.

"Ow," Ginny whimpered. "Sorry, okay! I said sorry!"

"Get out of here," Ron snapped. "And leave Harry alone."

Ginny stomped out of the studio and slammed the door behind her.

"You stood up for me," Luna said quietly.

"Yeah well," Ron scratched the back of his neck. "What she said about you was totally wrong. And what she said about me not ever fancying you..."

Luna blushed. "It's okay."

"She was wrong about that too," Ron finished. "Um... if you don't mind, that is."

Luna didn't think she'd heard him correctly. "You...you...."

Ron suddenly felt his stomach plummet to the floor. She was stunned because she didn't feel the same way. "It's okay," he covered quickly. "It's just me putting my foot in my mouth again."

Luna grabbed his arm. "No, Ronald. I-I just didn't think I'd ever hear you say that to me. "

"You don't mind then?" he asked, stumbling a bit over his words.

Luna beamed at him. "Not at all."

"I'm a little slow on the uptake," Ron muttered.

"That's one of your charms," Luna said giving him a kiss on the cheek.

"You think so?" he asked with a grin. "Thanks."

***

"You guys were so cute," Cho said. "Absolutely adorable and Luna's right Ron. That is one of your charms."

"I knew that," Ron leaned back in his chair.

"I wish I could have been there to see you put Ginny in her place," Lavender commented.

"We all do," Harry snorted.

"Luna you did look really beautiful in that dress," Neville remembered.

"She sure did," Ron slid an arm around his wife. "I couldn't take my eyes off her that night."

"Now I see why you were acting like you were that day in the studio," Luna said resting her head on his shoulder. "I had you all hot and bothered!"

Harry laughed at Ron's discomfort.

"Shut it, Harry," Ron grumbled.

"You're not one to talk," Cho pointed out to her best friend. "The first time you saw Hermione in the dress she wore at the Sheldrake you about--"

"Yes, yes," Harry said cutting her off.

"So while we were all slaving away trying to learn dances, what were you lot doing?" Ron asked Cho, Neville, Lavender and Seamus.

"I was running the projector at movie nights and working on my first projects for film school," Seamus replied.

"Unfortunately, I was spending my evenings pining after Draco Malfoy," Lavender scowled.

"And covering for me," Hermione reminded her.

"For which you should be eternally grateful," Lavender said to Harry.

Harry stood up and walked over to her and dropped to his knees. "You are the reason that I have all that I have today. Thank you, thank you, thank you!"

"Talk about overdramatic," Lavender rolled her eyes.

"You love it," Harry said standing back up again.

"I do," Lavender grinned at him.

"She loves taking credit for everything," Seamus teased. "She thinks she's the reason why I got out and enjoyed the last couple of days at Hillsdale."

"I AM the reason you enjoyed the last few days at Hillsdale," Lavender replied primly.

***

Seamus Finnigan was boxing up some of his film canisters when he heard a knock on the door. He thought it was going to be Dursley arriving with his wages. "Come in," Seamus called out.

"Um... hey," Lavender peeked around the door. "I just thought I'd stop by..."

"Lavender," Seamus said smiling at her.

"Hi," Lavender pushed her long hair over her shoulder. "Am I bothering you? I could come back..."

"I'm just packing up some of my things," Seamus said moving a box so she could sit down.

"Did you need any help?" Lavender offered, her stomach fluttering when he smiled at her.

"Sure," Seamus said. "If you could tape up those boxes it would be a big help."

"Sure," Lavender said, taking the roll he held out.

"I'm surprised you're not out by the lake soaking up the last minute rays," Seamus commented.

"I think I've had enough of the lake," Lavender said a bit sourly. "Rather, I've had enough of one of the lifeguards and her no good shag buddy."

Seamus held up the disc he'd worked on with Hermione and Ron. "This should take care of that, Lavender. When we play it tomorrow night, they'll not be a problem for you or your cousin anymore."

"I hope not," Lavender said. "She's so happy when she's with Harry."

"He's a great bloke," Seamus said putting some more items in a box. "I've known him since we were kids."

"It just seems so surreal," Lavender remarked. "I mean, we've grown up reading about him, and what he's done, and now he and Hermione are head over heels in love."

"I've never seen him this sprung on a girl before," Seamus said. "Not even when he was with Cho."

Lavender smiled as she finished sealing up the boxes. "There you go," she said, getting up.

"Thank you," Seamus said smiling at her. "I've never had such a beautiful assistant before."

She blushed. "Flatterer."

Seamus laughed. "That's me."

"I've really enjoyed meeting you," she said shyly.

Seamus tilted his head and studied her for a moment. "Sounds like you never plan on seeing me ever again."

"I never said that," Lavender nervously tucked a lock of hair behind her ear.

"Good," Seamus grinned at her. "Because I plan on seeing a lot more of you. If that's okay with you, that is."

"It's very okay with me," Lavender said softly.

Seamus touched her cheek. "You know in a small way, Ginny and Malfoy are the reason that you and I finally met."

"That's almost too strange to fathom," Lavender said as they drew closer.

Seamus pressed his lips to hers.

Lavender closed her eyes and slid her arms around his neck, pressing her body against his.

Seamus wished he'd gotten out more this summer and met her sooner. But, if he had his way, he would make up for that. He really fancied this girl and wanted to get to know her better. But, he still had a lot to do before he left Hillsdale and as nice as this was, he should get back to work. He reluctantly pulled away from her.

"Is everything okay?" she asked tentatively. Lavender wasn't quite sure what had come over her. Normally, she was the aggressor in a relationship.

"Yeah," Seamus reassured her. "I just have a lot to do. I really would much rather spend it with you."

"Maybe we can get together later," Lavender suggested. "After dinner?"

"What did you have in mind?" Seamus asked.

"I don't know," she said. "Maybe we can just go for a walk or something? Or into that little town nearby?"

"That'd be nice," Seamus smiled at her. "I haven't been to town much."

"They have a nice coffee shop there," Lavender was bolstered by his expression.

"Just as long as you don't want to go dancing," Seamus said.

"Why's that?" Lavender asked.

"I can't," Seamus replied simply. "Two left feet."

"Nonsense," Lavender replied. "Anyone can dance. We should go up to that employee disco some night- Hermione told me it's a lot of fun."

"I'll watch you dance," Seamus said. "But I'm not going to do it."

Lavender smiled at him. "I'll show you a few moves," she leaned in and gave him another kiss.

"Will you now?" Seamus asked.

"I'm very persuasive," Lavender grinned.

"You'll have a really hard job with me then," Seamus said grinning back at her.

"I might just be able to break through," Lavender said. "But I know you're busy right now..."

"I will pick you up at your cabin tonight at seven," Seamus told her. "And we'll go for a walk and see where the night takes us."

"I already can't wait," Lavender said softly.

164. 164- Ashley and Katie interview at the end!

We’re glad that most of you are enjoying this flashback chapter- we wrote it awhile back when a lot of you guys were asking for more of the core couples. The ‘regular’ storylines will resume with the next chapter! Also for next week, there will be no interview, but it’ll pick up again the first Saturday of January.

Happy Christmas you guys!

Ron chuckled. "How did you manage getting out of going to the disco?"

"I didn't," Seamus replied. "But I didn't have to dance that night. I enjoyed myself just watching her."

"You're a great dancer, Seamus," Lavender said loyally.

"I love you for saying things that aren't true," Seamus teased.

"Love really is blind," Ron said as the couples finally sat down at the table in the dining room.

"Not always," Neville smiled at his own wife.

Cho beamed at him. "When we started at Hillsdale that summer, I never dreamed that I'd walk away from that with the love of my life and a baby on the way."

"Awwww," Harry batted his eyes.

Hermione hit him in the arm. "I think it's romantic."

"It was completely romantic," Cho glared at her friend. "You were off with Hermione, Ron and Luna had to practise, I didn't know Lavender and Seamus all too well... and then here was Neville. He was just the sweetest guy..."

"Bringing you strawberry ice cream," Neville said squeezing her hand.

"Almost every night," Cho said dreamily.

***

Neville knocked on Cho's cabin door.

"Come on," Cho said. She was propped up against several pillows and reading the same magazine for about the fifth time.

Neville opened the door and smiled warmly at her. "I managed to get off early to get you this." He held up a paper bag.

Cho's eyes teared over. "You are the most incredible guy," she said.

Neville blushed. "Don't cry, Cho."

"Sorry," she wiped her eyes. "I guess I'm just a bit emotional these days." she patted her stomach, which was protruding slightly.

"It's okay," Neville said pulling the ice cream container out of the bag and handing it to her. "Nothing ice cream can't cure."

"You've got that right," Cho eagerly took the container and the spoon. "You're my knight in shining armour."

Neville's cheeks turned even redder. "Well, I know I'm not as good at this as Harry---"

"Nonsense," Cho said, patting the edge of her bed. "You're better than him."

Neville sat down. "No one's as good as him."

Cho was quiet a moment. "You know... for as long as I remember, it's been me and Harry. We've been friends... everything you know? But now he has Hermione, and I don't want to stand in the way of that- but it scares me, because it sort of leaves me alone."

Neville looked earnestly at her. "You're not alone, Cho."

"Not with you here," she said.

"I'll always be here for you," He promised. "You and your baby."

"You really are the sweetest guy," Cho said. "Hey Neville? Want to go for a walk or something?"

"You sure you're up for it?" Neville asked her.

"Definitely," Cho said. "I've got horrible cabin fever. Besides, Dr. Granger said I should get up and walk around."

Neville pulled out his wand and set a cooling charm on her ice cream. "It's a beautiful night."

"Yes it is," Cho said, reaching for her trainers.

Neville watched her, falling even more in love with her than he already was. It was probably still an empty wish, but he couldn't help thinking that perhaps she'd fancy him too.

"Here," he said quickly. "Let me put those on for you..."

"Neville," Cho smiled at him. "You don't have to---"

"You shouldn't be leaning over too much," Neville helped her slide her foot into the shoe.

"You're so sweet," Cho said softly.

Neville blushed. "I'm not that great."

Cho shook her head. "You are and nothing you could do or say will convince me that you're not."

"Okay," he shyly sat back. "You're all set."

Cho leaned forward and pecked him on the cheek. "Thank you."

Neville's face was a purplish red. "Sure...." he stuttered.

Cho stood up and stretched. "I am so ready to get out of here."

Neville averted his eyes from her body. "Sure..." he said again.

Cho pocketed her key and then led the way out of her cabin. She breathed in the fresh air and did a small twirl. "You were right. This is a beautiful night."

If he thought she was beautiful before, she was absolutely breathtaking with the moon shining onto her hair and her face. "Yeah," he said. "It's gorgeous..."

Cho took his hand. "Let's walk by the ballroom. I want to see how Ron and Luna are doing."

"Okay," he said, squeezing her fingers. "Hey Cho?"

"Yeah?" Cho asked.

He came really close to having just enough courage to tell her how he felt. But at the last moment, he just shook his head. "You um... you look really pretty."

"You really are sweet," Cho laughed. "I have bedhead and my skin is so pale and clammy."

"That's not true," he argued.

"It is," Cho said. "But you are really sweet to say that, Neville."

"Guess I'm just your plain old sweet guy," Neville replied.

"My hero," Cho corrected linking arms with him. "I honestly don't know what I'd have done without you."

"Read the same magazine for the 6th time?" he joked.

Cho laughed. "Probably."

They made their way to the ballroom and Cho peered into the window to see Ron and Luna doing a waltz. Ron looked nervous, but Luna was doing fabulously.

"I'm so glad she finally gets to show off a bit," Cho said to Neville. "I know she gets nervous, but she's so good."

"She is," Neville agreed. He saw the wistful expression on Cho's face. "You'll be out there again."

"I hope so," she said, her hands caressing her stomach.

"And I'm sure your little one will be quite a dancer too," Neville said.

A strange expression crossed her face.

"What is it?" Neville asked. "Cho?"

"I think... I think the baby's kicking..." Cho's eyes were wide. "I didn't think I could feel this yet, or they could kick this early... here feel it!"

Neville grinned and placed his hand on Cho's stomach. She guided his hand to where he'd be able to feel the baby's kick. "See?"

"Wow," he said softly. "That's... that's pretty incredible Cho."

"It is, isn't it?" she asked him, her eyes shining with tears.

"That's your baby in there," Neville said. "If it's a girl, she's going to be just as beautiful as you are."

"I kind of have the feeling that it will be a girl," Cho admitted wiping at her eyes. "And even though I'm afraid I'm going to be a terrible mum, I can't wait to meet her."

"You won't be a terrible mum," Neville assured her.

Cho gave him a hug. "Thank you for everything, Neville. When you say it, I almost believe it."

"You should," Neville said. "You're brave... and you're... um... you're really unselfish..."

"And I have you and Harry," Cho said softly. "What more could I ask for?"

"You'll always have me," Neville promised her.

"No matter what?" Cho asked him hopefully.

"No matter what," Neville confirmed.

***

Hermione smiled at her two friends. "I never get tired of hearing that."

Cho smiled at her husband. "I think that was the night I started to fall for him."

"I can see why---he was really smooooooooooth," Ron said before stuffing his mouth with another bite of casserole.

"Just like you?" Neville cracked.

"Need we remind you of your first date with Luna?" Cho asked him.

"Yeah," Harry said. "Popped her in the eye with a cork..."

"He didn't mean to do it," Luna said dreamily.

"Then didn't he spill it all over the place?" Neville asked.

"I was nervous," Ron said defensively.

Harry and Neville started laughing.

"And that wasn't really our first date," Rom stammered. "We had an unofficial one that night we went to look at the stars.'

"I remember that," Luna smiled. "I was so happy you were out there with me."

"Didn't it rain?" Harry asked.

"And Ronald rushed me back," Luna said. "We kissed for the first time that night."

"THAT was a great night, wasn't it, Loony?" Ron asked her.

"Yes it was, Ronald," Luna replied.

"Despite working for Vernon that place really has some great memories for all of us," Cho said. "And its magic worked on Nick and Julie and Jon and Allie..."

"And Ethan and Maddie," Hermione laughed. "Though not for a few years."

Lavender giggled. "And I really can't believe it's been what, almost seventeen years since we've been back?"

"And don't forget the one and only Saffron Grace had her start in that place," Cho said with a grin.

Harry and Hermione both grinned. "We don't know whether it was the lake or Harry's old cabin," Hermione replied.

Ron grimaced. "Do we have to talk about that? Come on, I'm trying to eat here."

"And what's that?" Harry retorted. "Your sixth helping?"

"Fifth," Ron corrected.

"How's the veggie one?" Hermione asked Cho.

"Delicious," Cho said smiling at her. "Harry's an excellent chef."

"Thank you," Harry beamed.

"One of his many talents," Hermione said proudly.

"And please don't expound on that thought," Lavender held her hand up.

"We could talk about your ex-husbands," Harry said gleefully.

"What ex husbands?" Lavender returned. "I've only been married once, thank you."

"Oh those first two were just practise runs?" Harry asked.

"Sod off," Lavender said. "They don't count."

"Those poor blokes," Harry said dramatically. "They gave you 24 hours of their lives and that's how you treat them!"

Cho and Ron both snorted while Luna and Neville hid their smiles.

"Third time was the charm," Seamus said putting his arm around his wife.

"That's right," Lavender kissed him on the cheek. "Harry doesn't know what he's talking about."

"I give you a hard time, but you know I love you and all the drama," Harry said raising his glass to her.

"You create more drama than I do," Lavender said, also raising her glass.

"There's enough drama around this entire table to tell a million stories," Hermione said. "But it's made us what we are today!"

"How very true," Neville said. "I know I wouldn't trade any of it in."

"I would have eaten more," Ron said thoughtfully. "If I'd had the chance."

"I hate the fact that you don't weigh as much as Dudley Dursley when you eat the same amount as him," Hermione said with a glare.

"Here, here!" Cho agreed raising her glass.

"Thanks a lot," Ron said, helping himself to the last serving of casserole.

"The more things change, the more they stay the same," Seamus said with a laugh.

"Amen," Hermione answered. "It's sometimes strange to think we're all grandparents- except for you two." she looked at Seamus and Lavender.

"I'm too young to be a grandma," Lavender grimaced.

"You're the same age as me," Hermione pointed out.

"Um, well you're---well you're," Lavender stammered.

"Are you going to say old?" Hermione's eyebrow was raised.

"More mature," Lavender said hastily. "More mature than I."

"Hasn't that always been the case?" Hermione asked in an innocent tone.

Lavender rolled her eyes. "Yes, but you couldn't do without me and you know it."

"I think you're right," Hermione grinned at her.

"And I think we should have more get-togethers like this," Lavender said. "I miss you guys!"

"I agree with that," Cho said. "Tonight I get to brag about my new granddaughter."

"I do too," Luna said with a grin.

"You have pictures from her first day of preschool, right?" Hermione asked Cho.

"I do," Cho replied. "They're in my bag. Frankie must have taken at least 200 shots of her that morning."

"That's the way Dad was when Julie was born," Hermione remembered fondly.

Lavender smiled. "He did."

Neville laughed. "Hannah's fitting in quite well with the family."

"I'm so glad," Hermione said softly. "She's such a sweet, loving little girl."

"It just really amazes me, still, to see how Frankie is with her." Cho said. "I'm so proud of her. Not that I'm any less proud of Chiaki or Allison, but we've been waiting for Frankie to realise her potential and she finally has, in one of the best ways possible."

Neville nodded and felt a lump in his throat just thinking about his daughter and new granddaughter.

Harry noticed his reaction but didn't say anything until they were in the kitchen. "You all right, mate?"

Neville nodded. "What Cho said---it's true, Harry. It's really amazing to watch her with Hannah."

"I'm really happy for you guys," Harry said sincerely. "We don't get enough time to talk about this at work."

"No, we don't," Neville agreed leaning against the counter. "I did a lot of things wrong where Allison was concerned especially, but then I look at those two little girls and Adam----"

"They're incredible aren't they?" Harry asked.

"They are," Neville said grinning at his best friend. "Who'd have thought we'd be here, eh?"

"No shite," Harry agreed. "I can't wait to have more grandkids. I've actually thought about giving Ethan more time off so he and Maddie can get on that."

Neville laughed. "I thought they were going to wait..."

"They are," Harry said. "But I certainly don't want Saffron having a baby just yet. Julie and Nick have Ash and Katie."

"And you have Puddles," Neville said looking over at the dog who was eating kibble.

"That dog is a user," Harry replied. "He's all over us until Saffron's home. And then it's as if we don't exist."

Neville laughed. "He misses Saffy."

"We all do," Harry smiled as he thought about his youngest daughter.

"How's she doing?" Neville asked.

"Great," Harry said. "Top of her class."

"And I hear she's playing quite well," Neville commented.

"Mark my words," Harry told him. "Saffy's going to be the first professional Quidditch player in the family."

"And how does Hermione feel about that?" Neville asked.

"She still doesn't like it," Harry answered. "But she accepts that it's what our daughter wants to do."

Hermione chose that moment to come into the kitchen. "Everyone's ready for dessert."

"Be right there," Harry smiled at her.

"What are you two chatting about?" Hermione asked.

"Saffron," Neville told her. "And how she's going to play professional Quidditch."

Hermione smiled. "My baby..."

"Isn't that my line?" Harry joked.

Hermione shook her head. "It's mine, too. It seems like just yesterday she was toddling in here to help you cook dinner. Standing on that little step stool and watching your every movement."

Harry laughed. "I forgot how she used to do that."

***

Saffron carried her blanket into the kitchen and dropped it on the floor when she saw her father by the stove stirring something. She was three years old and thought her father could do anything in the world. She tiptoed over to him and tugged on his leg. "Daddy?"

"Hi baby," Harry grinned down at her.

She looked up him and rubbed her tummy. "Whatcha making?"

"Your favourite," Harry replied.

"Pasketti?" Saffron asked.

"You got it in one," Harry said, lifting her onto the counter.

"Help?" Saffron asked.

"You know it always tastes better when you help," Harry leaned over and kissed her nose.

Saffron giggled. "I love you, Daddy."

"I love you too Saffy," Harry tucked her hair back. "Do you want to stir these?"

"Kay," Saffron said taking the spoon from him. "Ethan come home with Mummy soon?"

Harry nodded, using wandless magic to help his daughter stir the full pot of noodles. "Be careful there baby."

"Daddy, I'm helping!" Saffron giggled.

"And doing a great job," Harry encouraged.

Saffron looked up at him. "Joos coming?

Harry shook his head. "Jules isn't coming."

Saffron frowned. "Oh."

"I'm sure she misses you though," Harry said, stirring the sauce in another pot.

The door opened and Hermione and Ethan came into the kitchen.

"Ethan!" Saffron waved at him. "Look!"

"Hiya Saffy," Ethan grinned at his little sister. "What are you making?"

"Pasketti," Saffron said proudly. "With Daddy!"

"Don't worry," Harry told his wife. "I made sure she won't get hurt."

Hermione smiled and kissed her baby girl on the cheek. "Mummy got you a present."

Saffron stopped stirring and looked at her mother. "What?"

"I'll stir," Ethan told her.

"Come here baby," Hermione said, picking a flat package out of her bag.

Harry helped her down from the counter and Saffron toddled over to her mother.

Hermione pulled her into her lap. "Open it up sweetheart."

Saffron eagerly tore into the package. "Mummy!"

Hermione had bought her daughter a picture book, sprinkled with a few words here and there. Saffron was already reading a few things and Hermione wanted to encourage that.

"Read it now," Saffron said opening up the book.

"Okay," Hermione said kissing the top of her head. "What's that right there?" she asked pointing at a picture.

"A duck," Saffron said.

"I helped Mum pick it out for her," Ethan told his father.

"Good choice son," Harry said.

Ethan shrugged. "I thought she'd like it."

"Oooooh!" Saffron squealed. "Look at the baby duck!"

"That's right sweetheart," Hermione said. "And what's this?"

"A bunny," Saffron replied.

"Good girl!" Hermione praised her, sharing a smile with Harry.

"And a puppy," Saffron said tracing the picture with her finger. "Mummy, can I have a puppy?"

"I'm afraid not, sweetheart," Hermione replied.

Saffron's lower lip trembled. "No puppy?"

"Give it up, Saffy," Ethan said. "I tried for years to get them to cave and they never did."

"Not now," Hermione corrected. "Maybe a few years from now."

"That's real fair, Mum," Ethan grumbled. "I'll be out of the house by then."

"Then you can get your own dog," Harry quipped, mixing the spaghetti and sauce together.

"Mummy I want a puppy now," Saffron said.

"You have your goldfish," Hermione reminded her.

"Baby," Harry said, putting down the little bowl his daughter liked to eat her spaghetti in. "When you get older, we'll talk about getting you a puppy."

"Grampa get me a puppy," Saffron said poking her lower lip out.

"Grandpa's not getting you a puppy," Hermione raised her eyebrow.

Saffron slid off her mother's lap and reached for her mother's mobile. "Call Grampa."

"Saffy--" Hermione began.

"Grandpa would get her a lion if she wanted one," Ethan whispered to his father.

"We already told him we don't want a dog around here," Harry said under his breath.

"Sweetheart, once you're a bit older perhaps we can talk about it, but right now you're too little," Hermione tried to reason with her.

"Call," Saffron began touching random numbers on the pin pad.

"Saffron, your grandpa is not going to get you a puppy," Hermione said. "And you don't know who you're calling..."

"I call," Saffron held the phone up to her ear.

"Saffron---"

"Get me a puppy!" Saffron said as someone picked up. "Please?"

Hermione took the phone from her daughter. "I'm sorry. We've dialled the wrong number."

Ethan laughed. "Saffy!"

"I want a puppy," Saffron put her hands on her little hips.

"Dinner's ready," Harry announced hoping to distract his daughter. "Come on, Saffy."

Saffron only pushed out her lower lip.

Hermione put her mobile back in her bag and set it aside with Saffron's book. "We'll finish reading your book after dinner."

"Give it up Saffy," Ethan picked his little sister up. "They're not caving."

Saffron finally managed a smile. "I'm not gonna give up."

"You wouldn't be my Saffron Grace if you did," Harry took her from Ethan.

***

Neville chuckled. "Who on earth did she call?"

Harry shook his head. "Who knows? Can you imagine this poor soul going about his business and getting a phone call from a determined three year old asking for them to get her a puppy...please?"

Neville laughed. "Well she finally got her puppy," he leaned down and scratched Puddles between the ears.

"She never gave up," Hermione said. "She's stubborn. I think she gets that from Harry."

Harry scoffed. "Please."

"She certainly didn't get it from me," Hermione said innocently.

Harry looked at Neville, who held up his hands. "I may be a big bad Auror, but your wife is quicker."

"Good choice," Hermione said shaking her head. "I'd better serve the dessert before Ron goes barmy."

"Is he chomping at the bit already?" Harry rolled his eyes. "Fine..."

"All kidding aside," Neville said to Hermione. "You were the one who set this all in motion. I know Lavender likes to play her part, but if you hadn't shown up to Hillsdale like you did, we might never have made it to this moment."

Hermione smiled at him. "Neville!"

"I think he's right," Harry said. "And if you hadn't offered to step in and do Cho's part, we might not have gotten together."

"You ever wonder how life would have turned out if I hadn't?" Hermione asked.

"I don't really want to think about that," Harry set dessert down and put his arms around her.

"Me either," Hermione said giving him a kiss.

"Rabbits and Neville?" Ron whined from the dining room. "I'm starving to death out here!"

"He nearly finished off an entire casserole all by himself and he's hungry?" Hermione asked.

"This is Ron we're talking about," Neville grabbed the dish. "Bottomless pit?"

"Perhaps we should have set out a trough for him," Hermione said.

"An idea for next time," Harry quipped. "Come on."

Hermione carried some of the pudding dishes into the sitting room where everyone was waiting.

"I'll take that one," Ron eyed the dish Harry had in his hands.

"This one's mine," Harry said grinning at him.

"Harry stop it," Hermione said. "It's the serving dish Ron. You'll get one like the rest of us do."

"Thank you, Hermione," Ron said shooting a glare in Harry's direction.

"This is excellent," Cho said.

"Hermione made it," Harry replied.

"Get out," Cho said before she could stop herself. "Really?"

"Harry helped with the part where it went on the stove," Hermione joked. "I did the rest."

"We make a great team," Harry said sitting down beside his wife.

"Is this going to be another rabbit moment?" Ron asked.

"No," Hermione said. "We'll wait until you leave like good hosts."

Luna laughed at the expression on her husband's face.

"So eat quickly," Harry joked.

"Just for that I'll have two helpings," Ron said. "In fact, is there any way I can take the rest of this home with me?"

"Of course, Ron," Hermione said rolling her eyes.

He grinned. "Thanks Hermione. This is why I voted for you for Minister."

Hermione raised an eyebrow. "You wouldn't have voted for me otherwise?"

Ron looked as if he was seriously considering her question for a moment. "Well..."

"Yes, Ron?" Hermione asked folding her arms.

"I'm kidding," Ron said. "Of course I'd have voted for you anyway."

"Good save," Seamus told his friend.

"You won by a landslide," Cho said with a smile.

"And what a celebration we had," Harry said winking at his wife.

"Too much information," Lavender put her hands over her ears.

"Yes it was," Hermione said laughing.

Harry grinned at his wife. "Repeat later."

"Deal," Hermione said.

Week 13: Ashley and Katie

Amynoelle: Since Katie and Ashley seem to be getting along now, maybe they won't fight during the interview.

Heaven: Hopefully not. I'm too tired to deal with any of that tonight!

Amynoelle: This is our last interview of 2006...

Heaven: And I can't believe this is the 13th interview we've done since starting!

Amynoelle: Where does the time go? God...saying stuff like that makes me sound really old, doesn't it?

Heaven: Well...

Amynoelle: Don't you say it...

Heaven: I'll be nice, I promise.

Amynoelle: In the spirit of Christmas.

Heaven: Is that them? I think I hear someone coming.

Nick: Happy Christmas!

Amynoelle: Hello, Nick! Hello, Katie and Ashley! And this must be Sophie...

Heaven: Awwww she is SO cute!

Katie: I put the bow on her.

Amynoelle: It looks like she's chewed on it....

Nick: She doesn't like it, truth be told.

Katie: Yes she does!

Ashley: I don't think she likes it either Katie...

Katie: It just takes some getting used to, Ash. Sophie, no!

Heaven: And there it goes.... in two pieces.

Katie: She just didn't like the colour is all. I'll get her a peach one tomorrow!

Heaven: Thanks for bringing them Nick and Julie. We promise not to keep them here too long!

Julie: We'll be back soon. Happy Christmas, Amy and Heaven!

Amynoelle: Happy Christmas!

Heaven: Happy Christmas you guys! See you soon!

Amynoelle: It's great to finally meet you both.

Ashley: It's nice to meet you, too.

Heaven: You are both quite popular characters, you know.

Ashley: *Blushes* We are?

Heaven: *leans over* especially you Ash! But don't tell anyone I told you that!

Ashley: *Blushes even more* Thanks.

Amynoelle: We have some great questions for you guys. If you're ready for them?

Katie: Sure, I guess.

Amynoelle: Alright, Katie. Since you are a member of the Princess Club...two of our readers---Molly and Rachelle---wanted to know what your favourite Disney movie was. Well, Molly wanted to know what your three favourite ones were and Rachelle wanted to know what your favourite one was.

Katie: I love Peter Pan, cause Tinkerbell is so cool! And I also really like Mulan and Cinderella too.

Ashley: I really like Beauty and the Beast and Mulan. They are really strong characters and I think I see a little of myself in them.

Amynoelle: Beauty and the Beast is my favourite, too.

Heaven: Belle's one of my favourites as well! Ash... Mander Jean has a question here... I know you have a crush on Andrew, but is there anyone else you fancy?

Ashley: I don't have a crush on Andrew. I just think he's really nice and he doesn't talk to me like a kid. He treats me really nice.

Amynoelle: It must have been really nice to be able to hang out with the older kids when you were in Brighton.

Ashley: I had a lot of fun. I like being treated like I'm older and Aunt Saffy and all of them all talk to me like I'm their age. It's really cool.

Amynoelle: Orli Luva and Royal Jade wanted to know if you were excited about starting Hogwarts. Do you think it will be strange with your Aunt Saffy and your mum being there, too?

Ashley: I don't think it will be strange. I like knowing that I'll have two people there...well, three counting Alexa, that I already know and that will help me get used to things. I am a little worried about this one professor...Professor Snape. He apparently doesn't like anyone in my family at all. Well, the Potter side anyway.

Heaven: Who knows- he might treat you nicely since you're a Malfoy as well. But I wouldn't count on it. He's really quite a wanker.

Katie: *giggles* Mummy says the same thing!

Heaven: I bet she does! Katie... we have a question from... katy! She wants to know if you're looking forward to being home along while Ashley is away at school.

Katie: It's going to be strange not having Ashley around. But, I will get to have Sophie to keep me company. And Greta, too! But, I will miss Ashley.

Ashley: *Smiles* I'll miss you too, Katie.

Amynoelle: This is quite a change for you two. It's no secret that you haven't always gotten along. Captain H. Short(y-pants) wants to ask Ashley how and when did you decide to be the mature one and stop fighting all the time with your sister. And how are you so patient with her when she's harping on you?

Captain asks because she is an older sister and needs advice.

Ashley: Well um... I don't know. I hate arguing, so I just thought maybe I wouldn't let things we said get to me so much. I just let a lot of things brush off because I know Katie sometimes says things when she's angry that she doesn't mean. And other times, we have loads of fun together.

Heaven: That's a rather mature answer, Ash! And I'm sure Katie loves getting along with you too!

Katie: It is more fun than fighting. And she lets me help her colour. Ash says I'm the best at it!

Ashley: She really is good at colouring things in.

Heaven: Ashley, Molly wants to know how you felt when you realized that your artwork was going to be put in a real show?

Ashley: Scared to death! I love drawing and it's always been something I've done just for me or for people I love. But, the idea of putting it out there for other people to see was actually kind of terrifying. But, it's getting easier.

Heaven: Katie, coolman has a pretty good question for you. Amongst the Potter and Weasley families you were the only one who was warm with Serena. Do you like her? Do you want to be like her?

Katie: I love her music. She has this one song that I dance too all the time---Casting a Spell on Your Heart...It's soooooo good! I want to be as good a singer as her when I grow up.

Ashley: I don't like her music much at all.

Heaven: So you want to be a singer like your dad then Katie?

Katie: * Nods* Absolutely!

Amynoelle: And like I said it really is great to see you two getting along. Two readers had similar questions for you both. One of them, ears91, wanted to know if you both are happier now that you aren't trying to kill each other every moment? And Rachelle asks Ashley is you enjoy your new relationship with your sister?

Ashley: I do. Especially when she lets me help her with her reading. I try to make it a little fun for her, you know? And I think us getting along makes Mummy, Daddy, and Greta a lot happier too.

Amynoelle: I am sure that it does, Ashley. We all like seeing you two getting along!

Katie: I like reading with Ashley. Sometimes even more than I like reading with Maya.

Ashley: I didn't know that. Thanks, Katie.

Katie: You're welcome.

Heaven: Katie, Mander Jean wants to know what you want to be when you grow up? Do you really want to be a singer, or are you more interested in something like fashion design or modelling?

Katie: I would love to be a singer and a designer and a model. Mummy and Daddy always tell me I can be whatever I want to be and that's exactly what I'm going to do.

Heaven: A little bit of everything, eh?

Katie: I can do it!

Amynoelle: Of that, we have no doubt. Ashley, toinkydoink wants to know what inspired you do start pursuing your passion for the arts? Could you give a specific time or moment where you discovered you passion?

Ashley: I just always liked to doodle and draw and stuff... and I guess I just really figured it out when I went to school and my teachers all liked my work. Mummy and Daddy got me lessons and they let me use the basement as a studio.

Amynoelle: Natalie wants to know what your favourite thing to draw is.

Ashley: When we were in Sydney, I loved drawing the Opera House. It's so beautiful and I really tried to sketch it exactly like how it was.

Heaven: Didn't you give a picture of that to Elinore? Or was it Saffron?

Ashley: I did that for Aunt Saffy.

Heaven: That's right! Ash- we have another question for you from Coolman. Wont it be awkward for you to be taught by your mother in school? How do you plan to deal with the unfair taunts from the Slytherins? They are sure to accuse Julie of being partial.

Ashley: I actually asked Aunt Saffy about this. Mummy treats her just like any other student when they're in class and I'm sure she'll treat me the same way. It is going to be a little strange though to have my mum has a teacher though.

Katie: Aunt Saffy said she'd beat up any Slytherin who talked mean to Ash.

Heaven: That sounds about right!

Amynoelle: Saffy can take them on. I certainly wouldn't want to be on her bad side. Molly has an interesting question for you both. When you go out with your Grandpa Harry or Grandma Hermione do you ever get swarmed by fans? If so what do you or your parents do?

Ashley: It happens a lot more with my dad than it does my grandparents. But usually when we go out, we go eat or something at a Muggle place so no one bugs us too much.

Amynoelle: That's good. And now on to your other set of grandparents. RC wants to know how do you know about your father's parents?

Katie: Daddy told us about them. We don't like them too much. They weren't very nice to Daddy or to Greta.

Ashley: But it was awesome when Katie threw up on him!

Amynoelle: That was fabulous!

Katie: I really didn't mean to do it!

Amynoelle: We know that, Katie. It was still awesome. He certainly had it coming. Toinkydoink's other question to you both was if you were ever to meet them again, and actually have them sit down and listen to what you want to say, what would you tell Draco & Ginny Malfoy?

Ashley: I hope we never meet them again. I really don't have anything I want to say. I love my mum's parents so much, and I know that's all that matters now.

Katie: Me too. We have the best Grandma and Grandpa in the world and we have Greta and Nana Molly and Grandpa Arthur."

Heaven: And they love you guys so, so much. You are pretty lucky! RC wants to know, from both of you, what do you like most about your mum and dad?

Ashley: What I love most about Mum is that she's a really good listener. You know you can tell her just about anything and she'll listen and make you feel better. Daddy is always encouraging us to do our best and he writes up songs for us. What about you, Katie?

Katie: It's the same for me. And I know sometimes I get mad when they make me read, but I know it's because they love me and want me to be good at it.

Heaven: Katie- Orli Luva and Royal Jade are curious to know how you're coping with your dyslexia.

Katie: Um, I don't like having to do a lot of extra work. But, I'm doing okay with it. Mummy helps me and so does Ashley and Grandma helps me too. I was really afraid she'd be disappointed in me because Grandma is super smart.

Ashley: But no one's disappointed in you Katie.

Katie: I know that now, but at first, I didn't.

Amynoelle: We're really proud of you too, Katie. Natalie was wondering how do you get along with Mia? Do you like Hannah and what is your favourite subject in school?

Katie: I like Hannah, yeah. She's really sweet. Mia... I don't know. She tries to hard to be friends with everyone and sometimes she gets on my nerves. And at school, I actually really like maths.

Amynoelle: Royal Jade wants to know how you are liking your new dog...

Katie: Sophie's soooo cute! I love dressing her up and giving her bows and things.

Amynoelle: And how does Sophie feel about that?

Ashley: She doesn't really like it. But it is sort of funny...

Amynoelle: A little while ago, your mum had her boss over for dinner. Katie, Rachelle says that you seemed to be the one to sense something was going on with him. How do you feel about him and your mum working together?

Katie: *shrugs* I don't know. He just wouldn't answer me when I asked if there was anyone he fancied.

Ashley: It was sort of a private question though, Katie.

Katie: Oh. Well...

Heaven: A few more questions here you guys. RC wants to know if either of you would like to have another sibling, and if so, would you like a brother or another sister?

Ashley: I'd be happy with either one, but I don't think Mum and Dad are going to have anymore.

Katie: We don't need another brother or sister. We're fine like we are.

Heaven: Ashley, natalie wants to know, who do you think you take more after, your mother or your father?

Ashley: I think I get my creativity from my Dad, but I think I'm most like my mum.

Katie: Can I answer this too?

Heaven: Of course you can!

Katie: I think I look like my mum, but I'm like my dad. I like to get up and perform and stuff.

Amynoelle: Well, I think that does it for reader questions. We want to thank you girls for doing this interview with us. We really enjoyed meeting you and Sophie.

Heaven: Yes, thank you both so much!

Amynoelle: I'll just ring your folks to let them know you're ready to go.

Ashley: Come on Katie, don't put that back on Sophie... you know she doesn't like it.

Katie: It's pretty, Ash.

Ashley *whispers* it's sort of chewed up and ugly now...

Katie: Maybe they can fix it.

Ashley: They can't. They're Muggles, Katie.

Heaven: Unfortunately...

Amynoelle: Julie will be here in just a minute.

Heaven: It really has been fun you guys. Thanks again for coming!

Heaven: It really has been fun you guys. Thanks again for coming!

Amynoelle: Will you girls help us do something before you go?

Ashley: Okay, sure.

Amynoelle: There are a bunch of people out there who have been loyal readers of this story of ours. We wanted to wish them a Merry Christmas. Can you help us out?

Katie: Yeah! That sounds like fun!

Amynoelle: Alrighty...on the count of three let's tell them all Happy Christmas. Ready?

Heaven: One... two... three!

Katie: Happy Christmas!

Ashley: Happy Christmas!

Amynoelle: Happy Christmas and Happy New Year to all of you guys! Thank you for reading our little story...or big story....or neverending story. We know we sometimes make you mad with the cliffies...

Heaven: But we love being on this end of them *wink*

165. Chapter 165

Authors’ note: We hope everyone had a Happy Holiday. Heaven has left me for the week so I’m posting both stories by myself. I might not get the chance to reply to every review, but I will try. I have to go back to work tomorrow and might not have as much free time as I would like. But, I promise to try. In this chapter, you get more of the Malfoys and a little Easter fun. The Hogwarts teens are not in this chapter but Saffron and RJ will be back as the Potters and Weasleys gather at the Burrow. Until then, please read the latest chapter and let us know what you think!

Things around the Malfoy house were quite tense the next week. Nick was sleeping in the studio and he and Julie barely saw each other let alone spoke. They feigned civility in front of the girls, but even they could tell something was wrong.

Nick awoke late Thursday morning and by the time he made it upstairs from the studio, his wife and daughters had already left for the day.

"Good morning, Nicholas," Greta said softly.

"Hey Greta," Nick rubbed at his eyes.

"Julie wanted me to remind you that you're to take Katie to her dance class this afternoon," Greta told him. "You'll pick her up at Maya's after her tutoring session."

"Okay," Nick said, sitting down with a cup of coffee.

"This is the sixth day you've slept down there," Greta pointed out. "You want to talk about it?'

Nick sighed. "She's stubborn, Greta."

"Nicholas, surely you don't believe she and Oliver Wood have something going on," Greta said sitting down across from him.

"It's obvious he fancies her," Nick said. "And she's so damned blind to it."

"Even if that's true, you know Julie would never do anything to jeopardise your marriage," Greta told him. "She loves you."

Nick didn't say anything, just pushed his coffee cup around in a circle.

"You need to talk to her about this," Greta counselled. "You've been through far too much to let this break you apart."

"Why do I always have to make the first move?" Nick complained.

Greta sighed. "Now you sound like Katherine Rose."

Nick rolled his eyes. "She's the one who made this a bigger deal than it is."

"I think your blow-up the other night had something to do with it as well," Greta said touching his arm.

"I love my wife," Nick said. "I just... I don't know Greta. I hate that I feel so jealous."

"Why do you feel so jealous?" Greta asked him.

"I don't know," Nick said again.

"Nicholas," Greta said levelling her gaze at him. "She's known Oliver Wood since she was a little girl. He's friends with her father. He needed someone to help with his transition. And from what I can tell, he's a very nice man who thinks she's an intelligent woman."

"He has feelings for her, Greta," Nick burst out. "She won't acknowledge that!"

"You don't know that he does," Greta argued.

"I could see it that night he was here for dinner," Nick returned. "When he wouldn't say whether or not he fancied anyone. He wouldn't look at Julie and he wouldn't look at me."

"That doesn't mean Julie returns his feelings, Nicholas," Greta said gently.

Nick had no reply to that.

"Talk to Julie," Greta said. "Tell her how you feel. See how she feels. It doesn't matter who makes the first move, Nicholas. Someone has to before things get worse."

"You really think things are that bad?" he asked.

"You've slept on your sofa in the studio for six nights," Greta pointed out. "You and Julie have barely said three words to each other in the past four days."

Nick rubbed at his eyes and then ran his hands through his hair. "How do I go making things up? We've never had a fight this bad."

"Talking always helps," Greta said patting his arm again.

Nick stared thoughtfully into his cup. "I can't ever lose her Greta."

"I don't think you will," Greta said to him.

"Sometimes I think about those early days when we got together, at Hillsdale," Nick said. "And I just remember how I felt when I'd see her. I still feel that way."

Greta smiled at him. "I know you do."

"Do you think I should go to the school?" he asked.

"Perhaps it would be best to wait until she gets home," Greta said thoughtfully.

Nick had an idea. "You're right," he said, feeling better for the first time in days. "I'll be in my studio."

"Take this with you," Greta said handing him a plate of fresh pastries.

Nick kissed her cheek. "Thanks Greta."

He spent the remainder of the morning working on some songs. Later on, he helped Greta with some of the household chores before he left to pick up Katie from Maya's and take her to her dance class. As luck would have it, Jon and Allie invited Ashley and Katie to dinner so he and Julie could talk.

While he was setting things up for a romantic evening, Julie was hard at work grading some essays her third year students had done. She was half dreading going home, not wanting to spend another night not speaking to her husband and sleeping alone in their bed.

Oliver knocked on the door to her office. "Hello, Julie."

"Oliver," Julie smiled but it didn't quite reach her eyes. "Come in..."

He handed her a file. "I went over your recommendations for Head Boy. I think they're some great candidates in there."

"I'm glad," she said. "I really think despite the incident last year, Peter Lawson would make a great Head Boy. Or Ewan Chase, from Gryffindor."

"On marks alone, Peter certainly is in the lead, but Ewan certainly has the respect of his peers, his marks are great and he's an excellent athlete," Oliver said.

"It'll be a tough choice," Julie said. "But I'm sure you'll make the right decision."

Oliver nodded. He could tell she was preoccupied. "Is everything okay?"

Julie shrugged. "I'm just busy," she lied.

"I'll leave you to it," Oliver said making for the door.

"Oliver?" Julie asked.

He turned. "Yes?"

Julie bit her lower lip and tried to put together in her head what she wanted to say. "Um... well lately..."

"Lately, what, Julie?"

"A lot of people have been..." she sighed as she felt her face begin to flame. "Well they've been saying things about... about you and me."

Oliver shifted uncomfortably. He, too, had heard the rumours.

"I know they're not true," Julie said, the awkwardness between them quite apparent. "But I'd kind of like to hear it from you."

Oliver ran a hand nervously through his hair. He didn't even know what to say given he didn't really understand it either. "Julie---"

"Oliver," Julie stood up. "Please... please don't tell me there's any grain of truth in this..."

"We're friends, Julie," Oliver said looking down at his feet. "That's all."

Julie nodded. "Right."

"You know when I first came to Hogwarts, I had so much stacked against me," Oliver began. "No one thought I was the right man for this job. They all thought I was just some former professional Quidditch player who was going to fall on his face. You heard what they said, I'm sure---"

"But you've proved them wrong," Julie said. "You've done an amazing job."

He smiled at her. "I couldn't have made it---wouldn't have made it, actually, if it hadn't been for you. You were the one person who offered to help me. You were the one who listened to me and helped me settle in and I don't know what I would have done without you."

"I'd have helped even if people didn't have such discouraging things to say," Julie answered.

"That's one of the things I like most about you," Oliver said leaning against the door frame. "And...If you're asking me how I feel about you---"

Julie swallowed nervously but nodded.

"Somewhere in all this," Oliver said looking at her. "I-I started to have feelings for you, but---but I'd never act on them, Julie. You have a family and a husband that loves you very much and I would never, ever do anything to jeopardize that. I hope you know that."

She had hoped he wouldn't say this. "Perhaps... perhaps I shouldn't be the deputy headmistress."

Oliver shook his head. "No, Julie. Please---you deserve that position. I certainly didn't offer it to you thinking that---I would never---"

"I know you wouldn't," Julie said softly. "But I'm just not sure it speaks well for the school to have these rumours flying about."

"People would talk regardless," Oliver argued. "Julie, your parents have had to endure countless rumours over the years, which certainly didn't stop them from living their lives or giving up the careers that they love.”

"You have a good point," Julie said. "Look... let me think about this over the weekend. I'll finish out the year as deputy headmistress, at the very least."

"I'm sorry that I've made this difficult for you," Oliver said truthfully. "I was never going to say anything to you about this. And the last thing I want is for you to feel awkward and uncomfortable around me."

"I'll try not to," Julie said. "I care about you but only as a friend, Oliver. And for what it's worth, I think you're doing a great job as headmaster."

Oliver smiled. "Thank you, Julie."

Julie managed a smile. "I should get home," she said.

"Right," Oliver said. "I'm sorry to have kept you."

"You didn't," Julie said. "I do want us to remain friends."

"Me too," Oliver said. "And maybe now I'll ask Professor Sprout to introduce me to her goddaughter."

Julie smiled and shook her head.

"Have a good evening, Julie," Oliver said before making his exit.

"Bye," Julie said softly. She was struck with a sudden, longing urge to see Nick and have him hold her.

She gathered up the essays and stuffed them into a folder. She'd finish them tomorrow.

She closed up her office and threw some Floo Powder into the fireplace and headed for her home, intent on apologising to and making up with her husband.

Nick was sitting on the sofa, waiting for her when she arrived. "Hey," he said quietly.

Julie didn't say a word, just stared at him.

"The girls are having dinner at Jon and Allie's," Nick said getting to his feet. "They should be back in an hour or so."

Julie nodded, still not saying anything.

"I made dinner," Nick offered. "My peace offering---"

She cut him off as she strode forward and kissed him passionately.

Nick hadn't expected this, but he had missed her very much and it didn't take him long to give in to the moment.

"Nick I'm so sorry," Julie said breathlessly.

"That was going to be my line," Nick said brushing a strand of hair behind her ear.

"But it's mine," Julie said burying her face in his shoulder. "I love you so much Nick. Nothing on earth could possibly change that."

"I love you too," Nick said holding her tightly. "I hated this past week--"

Julie clutched onto him as he stroked her hair. "We don't need to fight like this."

Nick knew they had to talk about this and as much as he'd like to get to the making up part, he had a feeling he should get this off his chest. He took Julie's hand and led her over to the sofa.

"I realise I acted terribly the other night when Oliver Wood was here," Nick began.

Julie nodded. "I wasn't acting all that great either."

"I might have been imagining things, but I really did think that he fancied you and I just couldn't deal with that," Nick continued. "And it seemed like he was always there to help you and be your friend when I wasn't---"

Julie was quiet for a moment. "You were right," she admitted. "But he knows it could never happen. I wouldn't let it, and he wouldn't let himself do it. And no matter what Nick, we're a team."

Nick clenched his fists. "You talked about this with him?"

"It was right before I came home," Julie put a hand on his. "I asked him if he'd heard the rumours and it all came out. Nick, don't be jealous. You have no reason to be."

"I don't want you working with him anymore," Nick said trying to keep his emotions in check. It was one thing to think that the older man had feelings for Julie, it was quite another to know it was true and that same bloke would be around her for long periods of time.

"Nick, it's my job..." Julie drew back. "I'm not quitting my job."

Nick sighed. "Julie--"

"What's the real reason you're so upset about this?" Julie asked, moving away.

Nick thought long and hard about this before he answered. "I kept hearing from you about how great he was. How you could talk to him about what was going on with Katie and how he helped get her involved with Maya and then the other night when he was over here for dinner, I watched how you acted around him. He praised you and your entire face lit up."

"Of course--" she said. "He's my boss..."

"Somehow, I don't think that's all," Nick said looking at her.

Julie stared at him in disbelief. "Are you saying you think I have feelings for him too?"

"Maybe not to the same extent that he has for you," Nick replied.

"I'm insulted that you would say that to me," Julie snapped.

"Jules, I'm just telling you how I feel," Nick said hastily. "I've never felt threatened by anyone else, not even a few summers ago when we ran into Ryan in Brighton."

"But you know I love you," Julie said testily.

"I do," Nick said.

"And if you know this, why are you threatened?" Julie crossed her arms.

"Because I'm an idiot," Nick admitted.

Julie sighed. "Nick--"

"I should know better," Nick said quietly. "And I do trust you, Julie."

Julie nodded. "I don't think I've ever given you a reason not to," she said. "Nick, nothing on earth could make me give up what I have with you and the girls."

"I know," Nick said walking over to her. "Julie, I am a complete idiot."

She looked at him. "You don't need to be," she answered, pushing his hair out of his eyes.

"I love you," Nick said leaning in and kissing her.

Julie closed her eyes. "I love you too," she said. "And I don't want us to fight over this anymore."

"Me either," Nick agreed. "I will trust in you and me and not worry about anyone else."

Julie nodded. "Okay," she said. "And I can promise you that nothing, absolutely nothing, will ever come between us."

Nick looked down at the beagle who was now nipping at Julie's feet. "Except for Katie and Ash's new dog. Did they ever agree on a name?"

"Yes," she answered. "Since Max, Puddles and Paddington were out of the picture they named her Ginny," Julie said, barely keeping a straight face.

Nick laughed. "Very funny, but we wouldn't want to do that to the dog."

"Sophie," Julie said giggling. "They named her Sophie."

"That's cute," Nick said. "Sophie," he bent down to rub the dog's head.

"Now they're arguing about who she gets to sleep with each night," Julie said kneeling down.

"For now, it's in the kennel," Nick replied.

"I was thinking of putting you in there," Julie said nudging him.

"Only if you'll sleep in there with me," Nick nudged her back.

"It's a little small," Julie said grinning at him.

"We can make do," Nick said, touching her cheek.

"No matter what," Julie said softly.

He nodded. "We still have some time before the girls come back..."

Julie smiled knowingly at him. "Yes we do."

"We can make up properly..." he said, taking her hands in his.

"The only good thing that comes from fighting," Julie said.

"I love making up with you," Nick said, kissing her neck. "But I like it better when we do it without a fight."

"Me too," Julie said closing her eyes as he picked her up.

"Been awhile since I carried you," he said huskily.

Julie giggled. "Way too long."

"I love you," he said, setting her down on the bed. "Always have loved you Jules."

Julie pulled him down with her. "I feel the same way."

*** *** ***

"Are you ready girls?" Will teased his daughter and nieces, who were posed with baskets ready to tear around the backyard and find as many eggs as possible.

"Yes Uncle Will!" Caroline said anxiously.

"There are prizes in each of the eggs," Frankie told them.

Emma dropped her basket and ran over to her mother who was sitting with Adam cradled in her lap. "Em gonna get you lots and lots of eggs, Adam. Promise!"

"That's very sweet Em," Allison told her daughter. "But you'll have to keep all the sweets for yourself."

"No, Em share," Emma said leaning down and kissing her baby brother on the forehead. "Em share with Adam."

"You'd better get back over there," Allison smiled and brushed a wisp of hair off Emma's forehead.

"Kay," Emma said before running back to stand beside Hannah.

"On the count of three," Frankie announced. "One...two....three....Go!"

Hannah, Caroline, Mia and Emma tore around the backyard looking for the eggs Will had hidden that morning.

"This is really sweet of you both," Allison told her sister. "To do this for those four."

"We wanted to do it for Hannah since this is her first Easter with us," Frankie said smiling at her sister.

"And they all look so pretty in their Easter dresses," Cho said smiling as Hannah picked up her first egg and held it up for everyone to see.

"That's my girl!" Will cheered her on.

Hannah beamed at him. She wanted to know what was inside but Caroline had told her that they waited until they'd collected all the eggs before they did that.

"Em found one!" Emma shrieked. "Adam look!"

"I don't have the heart to tell her he's asleep," Allison said to Jon.

"It's okay," Jon said, smiling down at his son. "Want me to take him?"

"Let me," Cho said eagerly.

"Grandma," Allison teased her mother.

"I can't help it," Cho said taking the baby gingerly from Allison as not to wake him.

"She's missed the start of three of her classes because she's busy holding him or feeding him," Allison told the others. "I think our being there is a distraction."

"That's not true," Cho said, but not convincingly.

Neville laughed. "I'd be the same way."

Frankie grinned at her nephew. "He's adorable," she said. "I think I could easily get distracted too. I can't blame you Mum."

Cho smiled at her. "Kind of like you are with Hannah, sweetheart."

Frankie looked over at her daughter, who was giggling as she and Emma dug through some shrubbery. "I think you're right."

Maddie came out of the house giggling. She had just helped Ethan get into his Easter Bunny costume after having promised him to do whatever he wanted when they got home. He hadn't wanted to do this, but she'd given him her Maddie face and he was a goner.

"He says the suit itches and if any one of us laughs at him he's not going to ever forgive us," Maddie said to Frankie.

"Just as long as he comes out when he's supposed to," Frankie said.

"He will," Maddie said. "So laugh now."

"It was really sweet of him to do that," Allison said.

"You probably don't want to know what I promised him to get him to do this," Maddie replied.

Jon covered his ears. "No, Mad Dog. So please don't give us any details, okay?"

Maddie giggled.

"Mummy look!" Hannah came running over. "I found seven eggs!"

Frankie tugged affectionately on one of her daughter's plaits. "Want me to help you find some more?"

Hannah shook her head. "I think we found them all."

Frankie grinned. "Fantastic! I guess it's time for our special guest to arrive." She waved for Caroline, Mia and Emma to come over.

"Special guest?" Hannah asked.

"That's right," Frankie looked over at Maddie.

Maddie walked over to the back door. "Esteemed members of the Princess Club. I am pleased to introduce our special guest...the one...the only...Easter Bunny!"

Maddie opened the door, but Ethan didn't come out.

"I said," Maddie said peeking inside. "It's time for the Easter Bunny...”

Ethan sighed and put the bunny head back on before stepping out of the house. He hoped none of his Auror buddies ever found out about this. He'd never hear the end of it.

Maddie had told him to keep silent so the girls wouldn't recognise his voice, so he waved as he stepped outside.

Jon snorted and Allison elbowed his side.

"Girls, why don't you show the Easter Bunny how many eggs you found?" Maddie asked.

Caroline and Mia came forward first.

"I found twelve," Mia announced.

"And I found eleven," Caroline said. "I would have had 12, but I let Emma have one."

"Em has..." Emma looked into her basket. "Em has..."

"Fourteen," Caroline said importantly. "I think she won!"

Ethan hopped up and down causing Emma to giggle. Ethan patted the top of her head.

"Em loves bunnies," she said, hugging his leg.

Maddie beamed at her husband. She was really proud of him for doing this and she knew it meant a lot to the girls.

"I-I found seven," Hannah said shyly.

Ethan hopped for her as well and nodded the large head.

"That's brilliant for your first ever hunt," Frankie said proudly.

Hannah motioned for her mother to lean over.

"What is it, sweetheart?" Frankie asked.

"I put some of mine back so Em could find them," Hannah whispered. "So she could win for Adam."

Frankie picked her up and hugged her tightly. "Sweetheart, that was really, really nice of you."

Hannah put her arms around Frankie's neck and hugged her back.

Frankie felt tears welling up in her eyes as she patted her daughter's back. She caught Will's eye and smiled at him.

"What does Em get as the prize?" Hannah asked.

Maddie linked her arm in Ethan's. "Well, he has a special bag that has prizes for all you girls. But since Miss Emma Madeline Weasley found the most eggs, she gets to pick the first prize out of the Easter Bunny's basket."

"I do?" Emma asked excitedly. "Adam pick too!"

Jon carried Adam over to where Emma stood. He was awake now and he cooed happily at his sister.

"Watch Adam," Emma told him. "Watch Em!"

Emma pulled out a box wrapped in pastel pink paper. She looked to make sure her brother was watching before she opened the present. Inside was a stuffed blue bunny.

She squealed in delight. "Look what Em got!"

"Great job, Baby Girl!" Jon said grinning at her.

"Mia," Maddie announced. "Since you found 12 eggs, you get to pick a prize next."

"Okay," Mia reached into the bag. She opened up her package and found a box of chocolate from Honeydukes.

"Thanks," Mia said smiling at the Easter Bunny. "These are my favourites!"

Ethan nodded again then offered the bag to Caroline.

Caroline picked out a yellow package and quickly opened it to discover a tin of Bertie Botts also from Honeydukes.

"Yummy!" she said happily. "Daddy we can eat these like we always do!"

Jon laughed. "We sure can, Angel."

"And last but certainly not least," Maddie said grinning at Hannah. "Hannah Emily Barron."

Hannah blushed and reached into the bag. She too, had pulled out a box containing a stuffed bunny, only hers was pink.

"We got bunnies, Han!" Emma said holding hers up. "See?"

"Yeah," Hannah said happily. "Thank you Easter Bunny."

"How about we get some pictures of the girls?" Neville asked producing his camera.

"Adam come sit by Em!" Emma said. "And Han here!"

Jon laughed. "How about I sit down with him beside you girls?"

"Kay Daddy," Emma patted the grass.

Jon sat down with Adam and Emma snuggled up beside him.

"Easter Bunny, behind them," Neville directed.

Ethan did as he was told, but hoped he'd be able to get out of this getup soon. It was hot in here and the costume really was making him itch.

"Everyone smile," Neville directed.

"Come on, Han," Emma said waving at her friend. "Get in picture!"

"Okay," Hannah edged shyly into the frame.

Emma put her arm around her best friend. "Em and Han."

Hannah grinned at her. "That's right Em."

Neville took three shots of them. "Perfect."

Maddie knew her husband was probably dying inside the costume. "The Easter Bunny has to go visit other houses now girls." she said.

Ethan gave his wife a hug and spun her around to the delight of the girls.

"I think the Easter Bunny fancies Aunt Maddie," Caroline whispered to Mia. "I guess he doesn't know she's married."

"Maybe he's just giving her a hug since she was his helper," Mia suggested.

"I bet that's what it is," Caroline agreed.

Ethan waved his hand at the girls before beating a hasty retreat for the comfort of the cool house. He couldn't wait to get out of that costume.

Maddie followed him in. "Let me help you," she said, pulling the large head off.

"Thank you," Ethan said breathlessly. "I am never doing that again."

Maddie smiled at him. "You were sweet to do it today."

Ethan grinned at her. "Well, you kind of left me no choice."

Maddie leaned in and gave him a kiss. "I love you for it, Ethan James."

"And I'd be entirely grateful to you if you'd unzip this thing and help me out of it," Ethan said turning around.

"Of course," Maddie said, helping him shed the costume. "Better?

"Much," Ethan said smiling at her. "I think my dad should have gotten this gig."

"But you're the one getting rewarded for it later," Maddie reminded him.

Ethan gave her another kiss. "And I had such a great helper."

Maddie wound her arms around him, kissing him back passionately. "That's to tide you over until later," she said huskily.

Ethan gave her a goofy grin. "Mmmmmmm...."

"Come on," she laughed. "We should hide this so the kids don't find it."

"I'll put it in the closet," Ethan said. "You go on out."

"I'll wait for you," Maddie said. "We'll tell them you had to run to the store for more eggs..."

Ethan nodded and picked up the costume. "Be right back."

Maddie waited for her husband to hide the costume and clasped his hand in hers as they went back outside.

"Hello, Ethan," Jon said grinning at him. "We're so hoppy to see you."

Ethan looked to make sure none of the children were watching before flipping Jon a rude gesture.

"Don't worry," Maddie told her husband. "When we have kids we'll make Jon dress up as the tooth fairy."

"Yeah right Mad Dog," Jon scoffed.

Maddie gave him her patented look.

Allison laughed. "You're already stuck," she told her husband.

"Josh'll do it," Jon said just as Emma came running up to them. "Uncle Ethan!"

"Hey Em," he said, scooping her up.

"You missed the bunny!" Emma said hugging him around the neck.

"The bunny?" Ethan asked. "What bunny? Are you telling me the Easter bunny was here?"

Emma nodded and then whispered in his ear. "He loves Mad."

"What?" Ethan asked. "Who does?"

"The Easter Bunny," Emma said giggling. "He loves Mad!"

"Em, he was just giving her a hug because she helped him," Caroline said to reassure her uncle.

"Wow," Ethan pretended to think about this. "The Easter bunny loves my Maddie? I wonder what I should do about this."

"Don't hurt him!" Emma squealed. "He's cute!"

"Well I guess all I can say is the Easter Bunny has good taste," Ethan told his niece. "Because Mad is just gorgeous, isn't she?"

"Mad is byooful," Emma said grinning at her aunt.

"Aww thanks Em," Maddie took her from Ethan. "And I think you're just byooful as well."

Emma kissed her aunt on the cheek. "Eat?"

"Is brunch ready?" Maddie turned to look at Frankie.

"Yes," Frankie said. "I put a heating charm on everything so whenever you guys are ready we can eat."

"I'm ready," Maddie said and Emma also nodded emphatically.

"Em's hungry too!"

"Emma Madeline, you are always hungry," Allison said grinning at her daughter.

Hannah took Frankie's hand. "I hope they like my biscuits, Mummy."

"Are you kidding?" Frankie asked. "Everyone's going to love them. I had to hide them from your daddy so he wouldn't eat them all this morning."

"Cooking with you is my most favourite thing in the whole world," Hannah admitted.

"Just being with you is mine," Frankie kissed her cheek.

Hannah smiled up at her. "Thanks, Mummy."

Will led the way into the house where they'd set up the buffet table for the brunch. "Please eat up, everyone. We don't want any leftovers!"

"Oooh," Emma's eyes grew wide. "Em wants everything!"

"Let me set Adam down and I'll help you load up your plate," Allison said.

"I've got it Allie," Maddie told her. "You go sit and relax."

"Thanks, Maddie," Allison said gratefully. "It's about time to feed the little guy anyway."

"Mummy need Em's help?" the redhead looked anxiously at her mother.

Allison shook her head. "No, sweetheart. You go with Aunt Maddie. I'll be just fine."

"Kay," Emma said. "Em will go eat!"

Allison carried Adam into the sitting room and sat down. "Hey, little guy."

Adam looked up at her with his blue eyes and waved his little arm in the air.

Jon smiled at his wife. "You want me to get you a plate?"

"I'll get one after we're finished," Allison told him. "He usually goes right to sleep after he's done being fed."

"Sounds a little like me," Jon joked.

"Like father like son," Allison returned with a grin.

"You really don't think Mad Dog is really going to make me dress up as the Tooth Fairy, do you?" Jon asked.

"I don't know Jon," Allison kept her face serious.

Jon turned red. "That's a way's off. I mean, she'll probably forget by then."

"Daddy!" Emma called out. "Come eat!"

Jon laughed. "Emma calls. You sure you and Adam are okay?"

"Oh we're fine," Allison said, shifting him in her arms. "He'll be down in ten minutes and I'll join you."

Jon gave his wife a kiss before heading back into the dining room. He took his seat beside Emma who was happily nibbling on a biscuit. "Han made!"

"Hannah made those?" Jon asked. "Can Daddy have a bite?"

Emma nodded and held out the biscuit to him.

"Wow," Jon said. "Those are delicious!"

Hannah blushed. "Thanks, Uncle Jon."

"All I had to do was read her the instructions," Frankie said. "And put them in the oven. She did everything else."

"Hannah's quite the little chef," Will said proudly.

Hannah blushed even more.

"And how are you liking preschool?" Claire asked her niece. "Will tells us you've made some new friends?"

The little girl nodded. "My friend Jessica."

"And she's doing well in school, too," Will said grinning at his daughter.

"That's great, Hannah," Caroline congratulated her.

"Thank you," Hannah said shyly.

"And how are you enjoying your first Easter as a Barron?" Jack asked her.

"It's good," Hannah said. "I got a basket today with lots of sweets in it."

"Em did too," Emma told her friend.

"We all did," Caroline said. "And I got the new Disney movie for us to watch next time we have a Princess club meeting."

Hannah grinned. She loved being included and her cousins always had made her feel welcome. She caught her mother's eye and giggled when Frankie winked at her.

Will also smiled at his daughter. He could hardly believe Hannah had been with them for four months already.

"I'm really proud of you," Neville whispered to his daughter.

Frankie smiled at him. "For all this? It was nothing..."

"Not just this," Neville said.

"For what then?" Frankie asked.

"For providing a loving home for that little girl," Neville told her. "For being a great daughter and a wonderful mother."

Frankie blushed. "She makes it easy, Dad."

"I know she does," Neville said patting her hand. "I'm proud of all my girls."

"Thanks Dad," Frankie leaned against him for a moment. "I had great role models, you know."

"I don't know about all that," Neville chuckled.

"Yes you do," Frankie answered. "You and Mum are the best."

"I completely agree," Allison said coming into the room.

"Adam down for the count?" Jon asked as she slid in next to him.

Allison nodded. "Out like a light."

"Em give Adam chocolate when he wakes up," Emma said to her mother. "Kay?"

Allison smiled. "Em, he can't eat chocolate."

"Little bit?" Emma asked.

Allison shook her head. "Wait until he gets a little older, baby."

Emma pouted. "Don't want to."

"Em, he can't eat chocolate yet," Caroline told her sister. "Believe it or not, you didn't eat it until you were a year old."

Emma stared at her. "Em always ate chocolate!"

"Not when you were little like Adam," Caroline told her.

"It's okay Em," Hannah said to her cousin. "When he gets older, you and me can both make him some biscuits with loads of chocolate."

Emma grinned. "Bestest biscuits from Em and Han."

Caroline shot Hannah a grin. "Good job," she said quietly so Emma wouldn't hear.

"Thanks," Hannah smiled back at her.

"Don't worry, Maddie," Frankie told her best friend. "I managed to pack away some things for Blue."

Maddie beamed at her. "Thanks, Frankie."

"You should have seen him this morning," Ethan said. "Maddie had a little basket in his cage when he woke up."

Frankie giggled. "Maddie!'

"He's my baby!" Maddie said defensively.

"What did you have in his basket?" Caroline asked.

"Well he loves fish and chips," Maddie said. "So I put together a little plate for him. Plus he loves chocolate, but it's bad for him- so I got some carob sweets instead."

"Aww," Caroline grinned.

"Em likes Blue," Emma said.

"I like him too," Hannah said.

"You girls are welcome to come over and play with him anytime you like," Maddie told her nieces.

"Adam too?" Emma asked.

"Adam's always welcome," Maddie told her.

"Have you seen much of Saffy since she's been home?" Frankie asked Ethan.

"Are you kidding?" Ethan laughed. "Her birthday is this weekend. She's been off with Andrew the entire time."

"Harry was complaining that he'd barely seen her," Neville said.

"She's so hooked on Andrew," Ethan said. "He's really a good bloke."

"It's a shame Wimbourne couldn't pull out a victory in the Cup," Neville said. "As happy as I was for RJ, I felt bad for Andrew. He played extremely well."

"He really did," Ethan agreed. "That match... that was damn near the best match I'd ever been to."

"We were all really proud of Junior," Jon said.

"Your father screamed the whole match through," Allison joked.

"He was really loud," Caroline admitted. "But funny!"

"I'm really proud of my team," Frankie said. "This is huge for them."

"And for their head of public relations," Maddie said.

"Yeah," Ethan grinned at Frankie. "Does this mean the head of PR gets a raise? Better office?"

"I don't know, but I think she certainly deserves one," Frankie replied.

"What's raise?" Emma asked.

"That's what you get when you do really good work," Allison told her. "And you're boss rewards you by giving you more money."

"Oh," Emma said. "Daddy should get raise!"

"Daddy is the boss," Caroline giggled. "Em, he can't give himself a raise."

"Oh," Emma said. "Mummy get raise?"

"Emma Madeline," Allison said hiding her laughter. "I think your grandmother pays me more than enough for what little I do."

"Oh," Emma said again. "Kay, Mummy."

"You've been a great help to me at the studio," Cho said to her daughter.

"I'm glad," Allison said.

"Em loves it there, too," Emma said finishing up what was on her plate.

"And I love having you there," Cho smiled at her granddaughter.

Emma slid off her chair and walked over to her grandmother. "And we look out for Adam."

"You're such a good big sister Em," Cho kissed the top of her head.

"Like Sissy," Emma said.

"Thanks Em," Caroline said.

"You going to Nana's later?" Jon asked his sister.

"For dinner," Maddie said. "I already can't wait."

"Let's just hope they're aren't too many fireworks thanks to my sister and RJ being in the same room together," Ethan said.

"We'll keep them apart," Maddie said.

"It should be interesting to say the least," Frankie commented. "You'll have to tell me all about it, Mads."

"I'll fill you in," Maddie teased her.

166. 166

We hope you guys enjoy this chapter- and we KNOW many of you will certainly enjoy the next chapter. We brought back Fred and George in this one, and as always they do have tricks up their sleeve.

Next week we are interviewing Gabriel and we decided to put Alexa back in there again! So be sure and send in your questions… *wink wink*

Please let us know what you think- it only takes a few minutes to review! And we hope you all have a safe and Happy New Year!!!

Currently, RJ and Saffron were busy ignoring each other and sitting on opposite ends of the sitting room at the Burrow. Andrew was doing his best to play peacemaker for the two of them and so far it seemed to be working.

"Have I told you how beautiful you look today?" Andrew asked her.

Saffron smiled at him. "About ten times, but you won't hear me complaining."

"I might not have won the Cup, but I certainly have the best girlfriend," Andrew said squeezing her hand.

"You still played so well," Saffron said. "I'm really proud of you Andrew."

"And you're really good for my ego," Andrew said grinning at her.

Saffron laughed as she leaned in to kiss him. "Very, very proud."

Andrew put his arms around her. "I'm still not telling you what your birthday present is."

"But we're so close," Saffron pouted. "Just a little hint?"

"No," Andrew replied firmly. "I'm not spoiling the surprise, Saffron Grace."

"Come on," Saffron wheedled.

"No," Andrew said shaking his head.

Saffron crossed her arms. "If I didn't love you so much..."

"You have two days to wait," Andrew said tweaking her nose. "Surely you can hold out for that long."

"Maybe," she said. "And don’t' do that with my nose."

"You mean this," Andrew said doing it again.

"Stop," Saffron pushed his hand away. "It makes me feel like I'm about five."

"I could pinch your cheeks instead," Andrew said.

"I'll smack you," Saffron said, completely serious. "I don't even like it when my parents do it, much less my boyfriend."

"Okay," Andrew said. "To make up for it, how about I go get us something to drink?"

Saffron smiled at him. "Okay..."

"RJ, you want anything?" Andrew called out to his friend as he stood up.

"Butterbeer would be nice," RJ replied. "Thanks."

Andrew left to get the drinks and RJ decided to try and make an effort even though he had a feeling he was going to regret it. He stood up and sat down beside Saffron. "So, how've you been?"

Saffron exhaled and stood up.

"Saf--"

"Hey Drew," Saffron said. "Can I hold Chloe?"

"Sure," Drew said handing her the baby.

"You are so gorgeous," Saffron cooed, turning away as RJ looked over her shoulder.

RJ rolled his eyes. She was acting like a two-year old and he was trying to be nice.

"So Drew," Saffron said with a grin. "Have you thought at all about those hair extensions?"

Drew laughed. "No, not at all."

"She doesn't need anything," Saffron said, touching Chloe's soft cheek. "She's perfect Drew. She's absolutely gorgeous."

"Thanks, Saffy," Drew said smiling at her. "I think so, too."

"I think she looks like me," RJ cracked, grinning at his sister.

Drew laughed. "Because you're so gorgeous, too, eh?"

"You know it," RJ said, avoiding Saffron's dirty look.

"Alexa sends her best," Saffron said to Drew. "And she would have come today, but she had other plans. She's spending the day with Gabe today."

"Oh," Drew said quietly.

"That wanker's back in town?" RJ asked, narrowing his eyes.

"RJ---," Drew chastised.

"He's doing really well in school," Saffron carefully handed Chloe back to Drew as Andrew came back with a drink.

"And he and Alexa have become very, very close," Saffron continued.

RJ glared at her. "Why are you telling me this, Saffron? Hmmm?"

"Mate," Andrew said. "Why don't we go out back and you can show me some of those moves you did at the Cup?"

"How does it feel, RJ?" Saffron asked getting in his face. "To have someone you love go off and be with someone else? Doesn't feel too good, does it now?"

"None of that was any of your damn business," RJ said angrily.

"Guys--" Andrew said getting in between them. "Not here--"

"NONE OF MY BUSINESS?" Saffron practically roared at him. "She's my best friend and you broke her heart into a million pieces!"

"And she's dealing with it fine!" RJ's voice also rose. "If Alexa and I can be civil to one another, then you know damn well that she's doing fine!"

"And how would you know?" Saffron asked him. "The last time you saw her was on New Year's. You know it's a damn good thing she wasn't preg---"

"SAFFRON!" Andrew shouted.

Saffron stopped mid sentence and stared at her boyfriend. She had never once heard him shout and certainly never expected it to be at her.

"RJ's right," Andrew told her. "This isn't any of your business. Or my business---"

"Excuse me?" Saffron put her hands on her hips. "Alexa is MY best friend and--"

"And they broke up four months ago," Andrew reminded her. "You seem to be the only one who can't let this go."

"I can't believe you're taking up for him," Saffron said coolly. "I guess I see where your loyalties lie."

"He knows I don't agree with what went down, but he's my best mate, Saffron," Andrew said quietly. "And I don't like being put in the middle. I shouldn't have to choose."

"Thank you," RJ said sending Saffron a look. "At least Andrew here is thinking with a clear head."

"I think I'm going to go and help my mum," Saffron said glaring at the two of them.

Andrew sighed as she stalked away. "Great," he muttered.

"I tried," RJ said shaking his head.

Drew who was trying to quiet Chloe, nodded. "He did make an effort."

"I know," Andrew said. "I just wish she'd let it go."

"She didn't even have to bring up that shite about Boyd," RJ said plonking down on the sofa.

"Probably not," Drew agreed cautiously.

Drew studied her brother. "I couldn't help hearing---was there---I mean---there was a chance that Alexa was...pregnant."

"She wasn't," RJ said. "And let's just leave it at that, okay?"

Drew stood up with the baby. "The less I know would probably be better. I still think of you as my sweet baby brother..."

RJ rolled his eyes but smiled. "Thanks Drew."

Drew smiled back at him. "I'm going to put her down for her kip."

Once she had gone RJ looked at his friend. "I'm sorry," he said. "I don't want to come between you and Saffron."

Andrew handed his friend his drink. "It's okay. You tried."

"I just don't know why she won't let it go," RJ said in frustration. "She's a pain in my ass."

"Me, either," Andrew said looking out the window to where Saffron was sitting with her mother in the garden.

"You should go out there," RJ said.

"I'm not so sure," Andrew said.

"She won't be mad," RJ said. "She never gets mad at you."

"Well, I'm not going to cave on this one," Andrew said quietly. "I think she's being unreasonable. It's like she expects all of us to ostracise you."

"She should just get over it," RJ said darkly. "I'm not getting back with Alexa. I miss her, but I just don't want a girlfriend right now, no matter what Princess Potter says."

"And you're like how you used to be since Serena's out of the picture," Andrew said. "And Lexie seems to be handling this well. I mean, you haven't seen her, of course, but she never says anything bad about you. In fact, she asked how you were the other day when Saf and I stopped by the bakery."

"I'm glad she's all right," RJ said thoughtfully.

"You know you could stop by and say hello if you wanted," Andrew told him.

RJ shook his head. "Last time I saw her mom, she wasn't thinking too highly of me. It's probably best I just leave her be."

Andrew nodded and was about to say something else when Darla stalked into the room followed by Hans.

"You don't care about what flowers we have at our wedding?" she asked him.

"I-I never said that," Hans sputtered.

"You said that exact thing not two seconds ago!" Darla exclaimed. "And you get this bored look on your face anytime I bring up any detail about the wedding!"

"Dar!" Hans exclaimed. "Would you relax? I am not bored when we talk about our wedding!"

"And don't think I forgot that shite joke you made about just showing up on the day, either," Darla spat at him. "You're going to have to pull your fair share around here, Buster!"

Hans could only stare in disbelief as she brushed past him and stalked up the stairs.

"Whoa," RJ said to his future brother in law. "You all right Hans?"

Hans pumped his fist in frustration. "All I said was that I didn't care what flowers she had. I'm a bloke---we don't generally care about those things. And even if I had an opinion, she'd just do what she wanted anyway!"

"Seems as if we're all just pissing off the women around here today," Andrew said ruefully. "Join the club."

"And on a holiday too," Hans said shaking his head.

Andrew glanced outside to see Saffron still sitting with her mother. Part of him wanted to go apologise but the other part refused to let him cave in.

"You going to say anything or just sit and stew?" Hermione asked her daughter. "Hmmm?"

Saffron kicked at a tuft of grass. "I don't know," she muttered.

"How about we take a walk?" Hermione asked.

"Okay," Saffron agreed.

Hermione put an arm around her daughter as they began to walk down the trail toward the woods. "I've always loved coming here."

"Me too," Saffron said. "It's so peaceful. And I love the swimming hole in the summer."

"And I've missed the walks you'd take with me when you were younger," Hermione said fondly.

"I used to cook with Dad and take walks with you," Saffron grinned.

"And now we never see you," Hermione teased.

"School might have something to do with that," Saffron bumped her mother's side.

Hermione bumped her back. "Maybe. You've grown up so fast, Saffy."

"I can't wait to do magic whenever I want," Saffron said. "Two days left..."

"Seventeen," Hermione said shaking her head. "But no matter what you'll always be my baby girl."

"I can live with that," she said with a grin.

"Your grandmother has something special she wants to give you on your birthday," Hermione told her.

"She does?" Saffron brightened?

Hermione nodded. "It's something that was very important to your grandfather. That's all I can tell you right now."

"Andrew has a surprise for me too," Saffron said. "But..."

"One disagreement doesn't mean you're going to break up," Hermione reminded her.

"I should probably go apologise," Saffron grumbled. "But not to RJ."

"There's going to be some things that you and Andrew will disagree about," Hermione counselled. "But those are the things you'll have to agree to disagree about in order to make it work, Saffron."

"I hate having him mad at me," Saffron twisted her hair around her finger.

"You know, you might try and get along with RJ," Hermione suggested.

"No way," Saffron shook her head. "He's a wanker."

"Who happens to be your boyfriend's best mate," Hermione said.

Saffron shrugged and rolled her eyes.

"You might find this hard to believe," Hermione said. "But sometimes I find it hard to deal with your father's best friend."

"You and Uncle Ron always fight," Saffron said. "But it's never serious."

"True," Hermione said. "But there are sometimes when he really does try my patience."

"He never did anything as bad as RJ," Saffron shook her head.

"RJ made a mistake, sweetheart," Hermione said.

"A whopper of one. With a huge slag." Saffron narrowed her eyes.

"And how is Alexa handling all that?" Hermione asked her.

"She's fine now," Saffron answered.

"Lavender tells me that she and Gabriel have become good friends," Hermione said.

"Really good friends," Saffron replied. "He already fancied her, but I think she's starting to like him too."

Hermione brushed a strand of hair behind her daughter's ear. She almost wished for the days when Saffron's biggest concern was what flavour of juice she wanted for lunch. "I just want you to be happy, Saffron Grace."

"I am," Saffron leaned against her mother.

"I know it's not always been easy being our daughter," Hermione said. "But your father and I are so proud of you for how you've carried yourself."

"Uncle Ron says I'm just like you," Saffron grinned mischievously. "He says it's scary."

"You are, minus the whole flying thing," Hermione said with a laugh.

Saffron's smile fell a bit as they came back into the yard and she saw Andrew and RJ come outside with their brooms.

"Be nice," Hermione whispered.

"I just won't talk to him anymore," Saffron said.

Hermione didn't think that was the best solution, but she decided to let this one go. "I'm going to go and find your father."

"I'll be inside in awhile," Saffron gazed at her boyfriend.

Hermione smiled warmly at Andrew and RJ before heading back into the house.

Saffron sat down a little distance away from where Andrew and RJ were comparing brooms.

"Hard to believe our dads used to use Nimbus 2000s," RJ said shaking his head. "Those things are ancient."

"Antiques," Andrew laughed. "I think I saw one in a museum."

RJ chuckled. "My dad still says it's the best broom ever made. Uncle Harry had one apparently. It was the one that he had for his first match."

"I wonder if he still has it?" Andrew wondered. "Might be interesting to go out and see what it's like to fly on one."

"He does," Saffron said quietly.

Both of them looked at her. "Really?" Andrew asked. "Think he'd let us see it?"

"Sure," Saffron replied.

RJ looked over at his friend. "I'll be right back," he said, wanting to give Andrew and Saffron a moment.

"Thanks, mate," Andrew said.

Saffron bit her lower lip. "Want to sit down?"

Andrew propped his broom against the tree and sat down beside her. "You and your mum go for a walk?"

"Yeah," she answered, drawing up her legs and wrapping her arms around them.

"I'm not going to apologise for what happened," Andrew said quietly.

"I don't want you to be mad at me," she said softly.

"You're going to have to find some way to get past this," Andrew told her. "Saffy---he's my best mate. He messed up."

Saffron stayed quiet.

"But like it or not, he still has a family that cares about him and he still has friends," Andrew said. He reached for her hand. "Can you imagine how you'd feel if I didn't like Alexa and every single time I was around her, I made snide remarks about her or ignored her?"

"You make a good point," Saffron said. "I'm sorry Andrew. I'll stop with the comments."

Andrew smiled at her. "Thank you."

"I hate it when you're mad at me," Saffron leaned against him as he put his arm around her.

"I hate it too," Andrew said. "But you know, we don't have that many fights..."

"I'm glad for that," Saffron said. "I love you."

"I love you too," Andrew said giving her a kiss. "Every stubborn inch of you."

She grinned. "So we're okay?"

Andrew smiled back at her. "Yes, we're okay.”

Saffron hugged him hard, burying her face in his shoulder.

"You want to go flying?" Andrew asked her.

"I'd love to," Saffron replied.

Andrew grinned. "Did you bring your broom, Miss Potter?"

"No," she answered. "But maybe I can ride on the back of yours..."

"Brilliant," Andrew said getting to his feet. "Only if you promise to hold on really tight."

"I won't let go," she smiled at him.

"Ladies first," Andrew said softly.

She got on the broom and Andrew slid on in front of her.

Andrew kicked off the ground and they flew high about the Burrow. Saffron rested her head on Andrew's back, her arms tightly around his waist.

"I like it up here," he said, turning slightly so she could hear him.

"Me too," Saffron said giving his side a squeeze.

"And I love sharing things like this with you," he said, flying a bit slower.

"Much better than fighting," Saffron said.

One of his hands found hers around his waist and he linked their fingers together.

"I LOVE YOU!" Saffron hollered. "I LOVE YOU, ANDREW KIRKE!"

Andrew laughed at her exuberance. "AND I LOVE SAFFRON POTTER!" he shouted into the wind.

Saffron giggled. "You're wild!"

"You're more wild," Andrew joked.

"Shut up and fly," Saffron urged.

"You want to go fast, baby?" Andrew asked her.

"And high," Saffron replied.

"Your wish is my command," Andrew said, pulling up on the broom.

Saffron again rested her head on Andrew's back and closed her eyes, just enjoying the thrill of being close to him like this.

They stayed up in the air for almost an hour, just flying in silence and enjoying each other's company.

In the backyard of the Burrow, Harry looked up to see his daughter and Andrew circling the yard one more time.

Hermione tapped him on the shoulder. "Two more days until she's seventeen."

"Don't remind me," Harry said.

"Where did the time go?" Hermione asked.

"I don't know," he watched as the two teenagers descended. "But it went by way too damn fast."

"Hello, Mr. Potter," Andrew said as he landed. "Mrs. Potter."

"Hello Andrew," Harry smiled at him. "Alright?"

Andrew nodded. "It's really nice up there. You and Mrs. Potter should have a go."

Harry laughed. "Are you mad? Hermione won't get on a broom to save her life."

"You should, Mum," Saffron said dreamily. "It's so romantic."

"I don't think so Saffy," Hermione shook her head.

"We're going to go inside and see if Drew needs any help with the baby," Saffron said giving her dad a peck on the cheek. "We'll catch up to you two later."

"All right sweetheart," Harry smiled at her.

"You can use my broom if you change your mind," Andrew offered over his shoulder.

"These new brooms," Harry shook his head. "They don't hold a candle to the classic ones."

"What's the difference?" Hermione asked. "Isn't a broom a broom?"

"No," Harry shook his head.

"I guess they don't make them like they used to, Grandpa," Hermione teased.

Harry poked her. "At least I'm not afraid to fly," he taunted.

"I'm not afraid to fly," Hermione corrected him. "I just choose not to."

"You're afraid," Harry countered.

"Am not," Hermione shot back.

"Then let's go up," Harry said. "Right now."

Hermione let out a nervous laugh. "Right now? As in, this very moment?"

"Sure," Harry said. "Unless you're too afraid..."

"Harry James Potter," Hermione said folding her arms. "I am not afraid! I am not afraid of anything."

"Then come on," Harry put out his hand.

Hermione swallowed. "Okay," she said in a high-pitched voice.

"I wouldn't let anything happen to you," Harry said softly. "You know that."

"Of course," Hermione said feeling a little queasy as she got on the broom.

Harry slid on behind her, wrapping his arms around her snugly.

"S-shouldn't you be in the front?" Hermione stammered.

"Not this time," he answered.

"You'll still be leading the way though, right?" Hermione asked. "And when you say that these aren't the same as the old brooms, I hope you mean that these are much safer and that you can't fly very high on them. In fact, I think we should really think about-----Harry!"

"Hold on tight!" he laughed as he sent them soaring up into the air.

Hermione shut her eyes and gripped the broom handle as tightly as she could. "Oh my God! Oh my God! Oh my God!"

"Hermione relax," Harry said in her ear. "I'm in complete control."

"Harry, if you make us crash and we did, I will never, ever speak to you again!" Hermione shouted.

"I'm insulted that you'd say that," Harry replied. "Hermione, you can trust me... I'm only your husband of many, many years you know."

"I'm sorry," she apologised her eyes still closed. "I just really don't like flying..."

"It's really not that bad," Harry tightened his hold around her waist.

Hermione nodded. If she was being honest, it was nice to feel his arms around her like that.

"Just open your eyes and look around," he coaxed. "I didn't take us that high."

"You promise?" Hermione asked.

"Promise," he kissed under her ear.

Hermione took a deep breath and then opened her eyes. She wasn't going to look down no matter what he said. "Oh...”

"It's gorgeous up here," Harry said. "Couldn't have asked for a better day."

"It is," Hermione said softly leaning back against him. "Harry..."

"Yeah?" he asked.

"You are the only person that I'd let take me up here," Hermione said.

"I know," he answered.

"It's not so bad up here," Hermione said turning slightly to look at him. "With you."

"I have that effect on the Minister," Harry grinned at her.

Hermione laughed. "You're the only one for her."

"And she's the only one for him," Harry pecked her on the lips.

Hermione smiled at him. "Saffron was right. It is romantic up here."

"Our daughter knows what she's talking about," Harry smiled back.

"She gets that from me," Hermione said.

Harry laughed. "Can't argue with that."

Hermione found herself actually enjoying this as Harry slowly manoeuvred them over the woods. He really was great at this and she'd always felt guilty for not sharing this with him.

"Want to try?" he asked.

Hermione shook her head. "Maybe next time."

"Wait, you're saying there's going to be a next time?" he asked. "If so, I'm holding you to it."

"I'd like to do this again with you," Hermione said.

"It's a date," Harry replied.

Hermione smiled at her husband as he guided them toward the ground.

"That wasn't so bad now," Harry said as he landed them gently.

"No, it was fun," Hermione said with a grin. "I do trust you, you know."

Harry gave her a kiss. "I think you like it when I hold you like that."

"I always have," Hermione said.

Molly stuck her head out of the backdoor. "Come on inside. We're about to eat, Harry."

"Sounds good," Harry took his wife's hand.

Maddie, Ethan and Jon and Allison along with their brood had arrived a few minutes ago and were all sitting at the large table Molly had expanded for the Easter feast.

Julie smiled at her mother. "I thought I saw you up in the air with Daddy, but I thought my eyes were deceiving me."

Hermione hugged her eldest daughter. "Believe it or not, he got me up there."

"Well, you are much braver than me," Julie said. "I'm not getting up there."

"Even she admits it's not so bad," Harry told his daughter. "You should let Nick take you up sometime."

Julie shook her head. "I prefer my feet on the ground."

"You don't know what you're missing, Jules," Saffron said.

"Yeah Jules," Nick played along. "You don't know what you're missing."

"You guys are never going to convince me otherwise," Julie said firmly.

"You might be surprised," Hermione said to her daughter.

"Andrew and I just had the best time up there," Saffron looked dreamily at her boyfriend.

RJ could remember a couple of years ago giving Alexa that flying lesson. They'd stayed out there for hours and he'd kissed her for the first time.

"Flying's good fun," he agreed, speaking out loud.

Maddie smiled at her little brother. "Yes, it is. And you are going to have fun again soon. I just know it."

RJ smiled back at her. "You have any more visions about me then?"

"Oh maybe," Maddie teased. "I suppose you want to hear about a big raise and more parties?"

"The raise maybe, but I think I'm finished with the wild parties," RJ said. "For awhile at least."

Saffron rolled her eyes but didn't say anything.

Emma moved over to sit in her uncle's lap. "Uncle RJ's my favouritest uncle!"

Josh looked at her. "Em? Hello?"

"RJ tells good stories," Emma told him. "And Adam says too!"

"How do you like that Mister Hot Shot Author?" RJ grinned cockily at his big brother.

"Funny, Junior," Josh returned. "Did you ever tell her how great you are at fishing?"

The smile on RJ's face faded away. "Okay. Alright, Nana....pass me those potatoes for me and Em."

Josh shared an identical grin with Jon. "I know I'll never forget it."

"How about we talk about your love poems to Jules," RJ countered.

"I have a better idea," Josh said. "Let's talk about Boo Bear."

Allison giggled. "Josh---"

"At least mine's good enough for a name," Jon sat back.

"Your what's good enough for a name, Daddy?" Caroline asked.

"Everything about me," Jon told his daughter.

"Good save," Allison said squeezing his knee under the table.

"How was the Easter Egg hunt at Frankie and Will's?" Luna asked eager to get the conversation back to tamer topics.

"Em won!" Emma bounced excitedly on RJ's lap. "Em got... um..."

"She found fourteen eggs," Caroline said.

"Congratulations, Emma Madeline!" Molly said fondly.

"Do you remember that Easter Egg hunt we had out here?" Luna asked. "Saffron was about seven and RJ was nine. They nearly toppled over each other to get the most eggs. You two were so cute!"

"That was pretty fun," RJ said, deciding to make one last effort. "I think you got more than me, right?"

"A few more," Saffron said in a controlled tone, not wanting to piss her boyfriend off and not wanting to get into an argument in front of the children.

"And she wouldn't let him forget it either," Luna laughed.

"I remember that," Harry said. "But they did sit down together and share all their sweets."

"That was a long time ago, Daddy," Saffron said quietly.

"Not that long," Harry replied.

Caroline grinned at her uncle. "Guess who we saw yesterday?"

"Who?" RJ asked.

"Lexie," Caroline replied. "Mummy took me and Em and Adam to see her. And she let us get a free doughnut."

"That was very nice of her," RJ replied, turning a bit red.

"It was yummy," Emma agreed.

"You mean you only had one?" RJ tickled her. "Not two, three, or four?"

Emma giggled. "Three!"

"It was so funny," Caroline said. "She had sugar all over her face."

"She said that since Adam couldn't eat his, she was going to eat it for him," Allison laughed.

"We gave him a little tiny taste," Caroline told everyone.

"Adam likes do- nuts." Emma nodded.

"Just like his grandpa," Ron said proudly.

"And Em," Emma twisted to look at him.

"And Em," Ron said making a goofy face at her.

Emma giggled. "Can Em have more?"

"Why don't you get in your own seat and let RJ eat?" Allison asked her.

"She's okay, Allie," RJ reassured her. "We're sharing right, Em?"

"Right," Emma nodded. "Cause Em loves RJ."

RJ kissed the top of her head. "Thanks, Em."

Molly sobbed into her napkin. "I love this. All of us together like this!"

"Molly," Arthur teased. "Don't turn the waterworks on now."

"I can't help it," Molly wiped her eyes. "This doesn't happen enough!"

Fred sobbed into his brother's shoulder in a perfect imitation of their mother. "Oh George!"

"Fred," George pretended to bawl. "I never see you anymore!"

Molly shook her head. "You boys!"

"You're so overdramatic, Mum." George said.

"If that isn't the pot calling the kettle black," Arthur said to his sons.

"We're not overdramatic," Fred and George said in unison.

"They're attention hogs," Ron said before stuffing his mouth.

Fred smiled at his younger brother. "You like those chocolates you were eating earlier?" he asked.

Ron nodded. "Those were brilliant. Did you have one?"

"We made them, Ronniekins," George said with an evil grin.

Ron turned pale. "Uh---you made them?"

"With our very own hands," Fred said.

"With lots of care and love," George added.

"Cut to the chase," Ron told them. "What's going to happen to me?"

"You'll find out in..." Fred glanced at his watch.

"About two minutes," George finished.

Ron glared at them. "How old are you two? I mean, really?"

"It's always nice to have a guinea pig isn't it George?" Fred asked, ignoring Ron's question.

"And you know there's nothing like the old tried and true," George said fondly. "We've had others, but none so great as our dear little Ronniekins."

"I hate you," Ron said angrily. "I hate you both.”

Fred clinked glasses with George. "Cheers!"

Ron shoved his chair back and ran into the loo. "LUNA!" he shouted. "I HAVE RABBIT EARS!"

167. 167- and dont' forget Alexa and Gabe questions!

There’s a fair few of you who have been patiently waiting for this chapter, and will be very happy :D

We also go back to Hannah, but we also have Chiaki, Tosh, and the twins in there too. This finishes up Easter, and next chapter is very, very heavily Andrew/Saffron as a certain bratty witch turns 17 ;)

PLEASE, PLEASE review!!! And please send in your questions for Gabriel and Alexa for Saturday’s interview!!

Emma slid off RJ's lap and ran toward the bathroom. "EM LOVES BUNNIES!"

Harry was beside himself with laughter. "For the first time I'm not the Rabbit King," he choked out.

The others laughed so hard they were practically crying.

George grinned at his nephew. "You have your camera, right?"

"In the other room," RJ was already getting up to retrieve it.

Maddie knocked on the bathroom door. "Daddy, I'm sure it doesn't look that bad."

"I'm not coming out," Ron said. "Not until they're gone!"

"Peas?" Emma called out. "Em wants to see!"

"I'm not coming out!" Ron repeated.

Maddie picked up Emma. "Daddy, we're not going to laugh. We promise."

"Fred and George better not be anywhere near me," Ron snapped.

Luna looked over her shoulder at her brothers-in-law. "Go."

"We need proof that this works," George argued.

Luna levelled her gaze at them. "We’ll tell you. Go. Now."

Maddie looked at her baby brother. "Don’t' you dare take pictures for them RJ."

RJ put the camera behind his back. "Okay."

"Give it to me," Maddie was serious.

RJ sheepishly handed her the camera. "Okay, Mads. Here."

"I have the camera now," Maddie called. "I won't let them take pictures of you Daddy, I promise,"

"Okay," Ron called out. "But only you, your mother and Emma. No one else can come in here."

"Clear out," Maddie said to her brothers.

"Can I see too?" Caroline asked in a small voice.

Maddie nodded. "Sure, sweetheart."

Jon, Josh, RJ and Fred and George were hanging back, but Luna shot them a look. "Go now."

"You're no fun," George complained.

"And you two are hanging on by a very thin thread," Luna told them.

"Mum you can't punish us," Jon said. "We don't live in your house anymore."

Luna folded her arms. "You want to try me, Jonathan Arthur?"

"No..." Jon ducked back into the kitchen.

Josh and RJ soon followed when Luna gave them a warning look.

"Okay, Daddy," Maddie told him. "It's just us. Unlock the door."

"Grandpa!" Emma clapped her hands when Ron emerged.

"It's not that bad, Daddy," Maddie told him. "Really---"

"I...am...a...RABBIT," Ron said angrily.

"You just have the ears, Ronald," Luna said sympathetically. She gave him a hug. "And even with those ears, you still look handsome to me."

"Grandpa you do look cool," Caroline said tentatively.

Ron gave her a slight smile. "Thanks, Angel."

"Em wants bunny ears," Emma said, holding her arms up.

Ron picked her up. "No, you don't, sweetheart. Not like this. "

"Em do," the redhead nodded.

"Can we give her one to see how they interact with children?" Fred asked Allison. They couldn't see Ron, but they could hear him.

"Absolutely not," Allison replied. "Not on my child!"

Fred frowned.

George looked at Josh. "Can we borrow one of yours then?"

"No!" Josh exclaimed.

"Ronnie, it goes away in about thirty minutes," Fred called out to his brother.

"Then I'll come out in thirty minutes!" Ron hollered back.

"Honestly," Hermione said. "Aren't you two a little old to still play tricks on him? You could at least ask if he'll test your products. I'm sure he would if you only asked."

"Kind of takes the element of surprise out of it," Fred told her as if this should have been obvious.

Drew shook her head. "You should treat him better than you do. He's supposed to be your equal and thanks to him your shops have become worldwide successes."

Fred and George looked at each other wordlessly.

Darla stood up and walked out of the kitchen and toward the loo. She knocked on the door. "Daddy, it's me?"

"I don't want anyone else to see me," Ron complained.

"It's just me," Darla said opening the door and stepping gingerly inside. "Hey."

Emma was sitting on Ron's lap, the long, floppy ears grasped in her chubby hand.

"It's not so bad," Darla offered. "Really. And I think they're all too terrified of Hermione to laugh at you. She's reading them the riot act."

"Thanks, Darla," Ron said smiling at her. "You girls are too sweet to me."

"You're our father," Darla smiled at him. "And a pretty great one at that, right Mads?"

"Absolutely," Maddie agreed.

"I think so too," Caroline added. "Well, you're the best grandpa, you and Grandpa Neville too."

"And I love yooooooooooooooou," Emma squealed throwing her arms around his neck. "Best Gampa."

"Thanks Em," Ron kissed her forehead. "Guess it could be worse eh? I'm just tired of being their scapegoat."

"It's not going to happen anymore," Luna said firmly.

"If you eat something, I will too," Maddie said. "So you won't be alone, Daddy."

Ron smiled at her. "Thanks, Maddie."

"They're starting to shrink," Luna inspected the ears. "Guess Fred and George weren't lying about the time."

"It still doesn't make up for this," Ron grumbled.

"But we'll make sure they don't do it again," Luna consoled him.

"They shrunk again, Grandpa," Caroline told him.

"Really?" Ron felt them. "Hey they did!"

"How about we all give Grandpa a big hug?" Maddie suggested.

"BIG hug!" Emma said, her arms already around Ron's neck.

Luna laughed as they all gathered around Ron for a big group hug. Drew, who had slipped in at the last minute, squeezed in beside Caroline.

"Now there's all my girls," Ron smiled at her.

"And we love you bunny ears and all," Drew said.

Ron felt a lot better as they finally left the loo, Emma clinging onto his hand

Molly nudged her twin sons. "Isn't there something you wanted to say to your brother?"

"We're sorry," Fred and George said in a subdued tone.

"And?" Molly prodded.

"We won't do it anymore," George muttered.

Emma walked over and kicked Fred hard in the leg. "No hurt Gampa!"

"Ow!" Fred yelped.

"Emma!" Jon exclaimed.

She kicked George in the leg too. "Bad George!"

"Emma Madeline!" Jon picked her up. "You do not kick people!"

Emma wagged her finger at Fred and George. "Mean to Gampa!"

"That's no excuse for you to kick them," Jon told her sternly. "Now you apologise to your uncles."

"Em sorry," Emma said burying her face in Jon's shoulder.

"She only did what I was about to," Ron muttered to his brothers. "This has to stop, you two. I've had it."

"We'll ask from now on," George said contritely.

"One more trick like that and I'll stop working for you and open up my own shops," Ron told them.

"I think he means it," Fred said to his twin.

"We may have taken advantage of you these last few years," George admitted.

"May have?" Ron asked incredulously.

"From now on we won't," Fred said quickly.

"Fine," Ron sat down. "Let's just move on, okay?"

"Great idea," Molly said. "Because it's time for dessert."

"Do I at least get first dibs?" Ron asked as the rabbit ears finally disappeared.

"Of course," Molly said setting a dish in front of him.

"Grandpa share?" Emma asked in a small voice, peeking from Jon's shoulder.

Ron grinned. "Come here you little kicker."

"Go?" Emma asked her father.

Jon set her down. "Go."

"No kicking," Allison said to her daughter.

"Kay, Mummy," Emma said walking toward her grandfather.

Ron pulled her on his lap and motioned for Caroline to sit on his other knee.

"Can I get a picture of that?" RJ asked Ron.

"Sure," Ron answered as both his granddaughters leaned back against him.

RJ grinned and took his camera back from Maddie. He took a couple of shots and noticed that Saffron was looking at him.

"I'm not so bad, you know," RJ said quietly.

Saffron averted her eyes.

RJ put his camera away and sat down. Saffron was a lost cause or so it seemed.

"Better than yelling," Andrew muttered to him.

"Suppose it's a start," RJ said for Andrew's benefit. He hoped that wherever Alexa was, she was having a good Easter. Even if it was with Boyd.

Alexa actually was having a rather good time. They had spent most of the day up at Rose and Declan's house and had just arrived back in the city.

"How about you take Alexa to the screening room?" Lavender suggested to Gabriel. "You could watch a film or something..."

"If she wants to, sure." Gabriel looked over at the redhead.

"That sounds nice actually," Alexa said smiling at him.

"Cool," Gabriel said. "It's right down the hall here..."

"Thanks again for inviting me to your parents' home," Alexa said to Seamus.

"We were glad to have you, Alexa," Seamus told her. "You're welcome here anytime."

Alexa smiled. "Thanks, Mr. Finnegan."

"I'll get us something to drink," Gabriel offered. "Soda okay?"

"That's fine," Alexa said. "Thanks Gabe."

Lavender grinned. "I'll just show you the way, Alexa."

Seamus followed his son into the kitchen. "She's managed to restrain herself most of the day."

Gabriel smiled. "It's all right, Dad."

"And she was a big hit with your grandparents," Seamus said.

"She's a big hit with everyone," Gabriel mused. "Being with her all day really made me just like her more than I did before."

Seamus grinned at him. "Well, what are you waiting for then?"

"I just don't know if she feels the same way." Gabriel answered, taking the two glasses in his hands.

"You know, you could ask her," Seamus suggested.

"Maybe," Gabriel answered.

"I'll be upstairs in my office if you need me," Seamus said clapping him on the back.

"Thanks," Gabriel headed for the screening room.

Alexa had picked out a seat in the middle of the room and she turned and smiled at Gabriel. "This is so cool. You have a mini theatre in your flat!"

"Part of magic, I guess," Gabriel smiled back. "I'm still getting used to it."

"You've handled it really well," Alexa said as he sat down beside her.

"Thanks," he answered. "So what do you want to watch? Dad's got all sorts of things in here."

"How about you choose?" Alexa asked. "I'm game for anything."

"Okay," Gabriel said, picking out a drama that hadn't been released in theatres yet.

Alexa kicked off her shoes and leaned back in her chair.

"Are you tired?" Gabriel asked. "We don't have to watch a movie--"

"Maybe we could chat a little first," Alexa said after she took a sip of her soda.

"Sure," Gabriel said. "I'd like that."

Alexa smiled. "I really liked your grandparents."

"I think they liked you too," Gabriel also leaned back in his seat. "It's hard for anyone not to like you."

Alexa blushed. "I don't know about all that. I'm pretty ordinary, Gabe."

"You're more than ordinary," Gabriel said boldly.

"I wasn't fishing for compliments," Alexa told him. "I'm happy being ordinary."

"I know you weren't," Gabriel said as she tucked her knees underneath her. "But I don't think you're just ordinary."

Alexa smiled. "Compared to most other girls, I think I am."

"You're too modest," Gabriel said.

Alexa traced the top of her glass with her finger. "I told my parents about possibly going to university in the States."

"What did they say?" he asked.

"They don't like the idea of me going that far away from home, but magic can ease that a little," Alexa replied. "And I told them about those scholarships that Professor Malfoy told me about. I really want to do this, Gabe. I think I'd do well there."

"I think so too," he said.

"It's scary as hell," Alexa admitted. "But I want to do it. I need to do it."

"Well if you go to school in Southern California," Gabriel began. "I'll be close by, and if you needed anything..."

"You'd be a junior by then," Alexa interjected. "You wouldn't have time to show some lowly freshman around..."

"Are you kidding?" Gabriel laughed. "I'd always have time to help you if you needed it."

Alexa laughed. "You say that now..."

"I'll say it then, too," Gabriel said softly.

Alexa reached for his hand. "You've been good for me, you know that? You've been a great friend."

"Same for you," Gabriel looked down at their intertwined fingers.

"I've thought about that kiss from New Year's," Alexa admitted shyly.

"Me too," Gabriel confessed.

"I was worried that you might meet someone else," Alexa said softly.

"I don't have a lot of time to meet other girls," Gabriel said, feeling hopeful. "I study almost all the time."

"Is that the only reason?" Alexa asked looking over at him.

"No," he said, a bit shyly.

Alexa smiled. "It's not?"

"I think about you a lot," Gabriel said.

"I think about you too," Alexa said. "Your letters helped get me through the last couple of months."

"They did?" he asked, squeezing her hand.

"They did," Alexa said feeling her stomach do little flips as he looked at her.

"I'm glad," he said. "Your letters are a good distraction for me as well.”

"I want to be honest with you," Alexa said to him.

"Honesty is good," he said, starting to smile.

"I still have feelings for RJ," Alexa admitted. "And a part of me was happy when he broke things off with Serena Starr."

It certainly wasn't what he was expecting to hear, but he forced himself to remain neutral. "I understand..."

"But he and I are over," Alexa said. "And I need to move on. I want to move on."

He tensed up. "You do?"

Alexa nodded. "With you, if that's okay..."

Gabriel wasn't sure at first that he'd heard correctly. "Lex--"

"Is... is it okay?" Alexa asked.

"Yeah," he said quickly. "Yeah Lexie... it's more than okay."

Alexa leaned in. "Really?"

"Yeah," he said. "Lex I've liked you for awhile- that's no secret."

"You've been very patient," Alexa said softly. "You deserve so much better than me."

"I don't think so," he said, tucking her hair behind her ear.

"Gabe---"

She was cut off as he leaned in and kissed her.

Alexa looped her arms around his neck and kissed him back just as fiercely. She felt as if she had just taken the first step in putting RJ behind her.

Their first two kisses had been sweet but not quite passionate. This one was blowing them both right out of the water.

The arm rest to the seats was getting in the way and Alexa laughed as Gabriel pulled her into his lap. "Gabe!"

"This is better," he grinned at her before kissing her again. His hands worked their way into her hair as she wrapped her arms around him.

"Much," Alexa whispered.

He was falling in love with her and wanted to tell her so, but he knew it was too soon.

Alexa smiled at him. "What are you thinking about?"

"You," he said breathlessly. "You are an amazing kisser."

Alexa rested her forehead on his. "For an American, you do pretty well, too."

"For a Yank, you mean," he teased her, his thumb caressing her cheek.

Alexa giggled. "Right."

Out in the hallway, Lavender was just easing the door to the screening room open when Seamus tapped on her shoulder. "Oh, no you don't."

"Seamus," Lavender complained. "They've been in there for a half hour and there's no movie playing."

"Which is probably a good thing," Seamus pointed out.

"I just want a little peek," Lavender said, her hand on the doorknob.

Seamus put his hand on hers. "Lavender, so help me, if you open that door, I will pick you up and carry you back to your office and lock you inside until Alexa goes home."

"Seamus!" Lavender stared at him, her jaw slack.

"You know I'll do it," Seamus said firmly.

"But I deserve to know what's going on," Lavender argued.

"And how do you figure that one out?" Seamus asked her.

"Because I helped!" Lavender crossed her arms.

They heard the opening score of a film and Seamus grinned. "See? They're watching a movie now. So, I imagine that they're watching the film."

One look at his wife and he could tell she was sulking. "Come on," he said. "I'll take you to the kitchen and buy you a frozen yoghurt."

"You are no fun," Lavender said but she did allow him to take her hand. "You know I used to hate it when I thought Uncle Robert was trying to sneak up on me and my dates. But now I know why he did it."

"There's no way Robert was as nosey as you are," Seamus replied.

"I am not nosy!" Lavender said withdrawing her hand. "I am curious and there's a huge, HUGE difference between nosy and curious."

"Sure," Seamus smirked, hoping his son was enjoying himself.

Gabriel certainly was. He had put the movie on but to be honest, he couldn't say what it was about. He was too preoccupied with Alexa.

Alexa lifted the arm rest and snuggled up close to him. "You've met that actress, right? Last summer on your dad's set right?"

"Yeah," Gabriel said absently. "She was pretty cool."

"The only famous people I've ever met were your dad, Saffy's parents and Nick Malfoy," Alexa said. "Oh, but there was this one time when I was in Hogsmeade with Mimi and she swore up and down she saw Prince William."

"Prince William?" Gabriel looked at her. "But he's... he's not a..."

Alexa laughed. "No, he's not, but Meems was convinced. She stalked this poor bloke the entire afternoon and of course dragged me along."

"She seems... interesting..." Gabriel said as she put her head on his shoulder.

"That's putting it mildly," Alexa giggled. "But she and Beth are good friends and they're both scared to death of Saffy."

Gabriel laughed. "Someone scared of Saffron?"

"As strange as it seems, yes," Alexa said grinning at him. "And she's my best friend and I love her to death, but I am very glad that I'm on her good side."

"What's she going to think about all this?" he asked, pulling her a bit closer.

"You and me?" Alexa asked thoughtfully. "I think she'll be happy for us."

"I'm glad," Gabriel responded. "I mean, not that I need her approval, but it's good to know..."

"It's good to have her on your side," Alexa said softly.

His hand rubbed her upper arm. "Right now, I'm just glad you're by my side."

"Me too," Alexa whispered.

Gabriel bent his head and kissed her again.

"Thank you for waiting for me," Alexa said smiling at him.

"There's no other girl like you, Lex." he said.

And when he looked at her like that, she didn't feel so ordinary. "Long distance relationship....you sure you're up for it?"

"Yeah," he answered. "I think it's perfect for us."

"And it won't be too long before---" Alexa's voice trailed off.

"Summer?" Gabriel asked. "I'll be back, just like last year."

Alexa nodded. "I don't think I can go to Brighton this year with Saffy. Especially after what happened with RJ. It would be too strange."

"Maybe you'll change your mind," he said. "Lavender and I will be going again, and Dad will join us when he can."

"I don't know," Alexa said. "I'll have a few weeks to think about it.'

Gabriel nodded. "I understand."

"Saffy hasn't even asked me this year so I don't know," Alexa said.

"I'm sure it just hasn't come up yet," Gabriel answered. "I really hope you come. I want to spend as much time with you as possible."

"We'll see," Alexa said resting her head on his shoulder again. She would like to go, but it might be too bizarre to be around RJ again and she didn't want to make him uncomfortable.

Gabriel kissed the top of her head and decided not to say anything else right now. He was still in awe that this was actually happening- that she was here, they were sitting there close together and she wanted to be his.

While Gabriel and Alexa were enjoying their new relationship, Frankie, Will and Hannah had headed over to Toshio and Chiaki's for dinner. Hannah was having fun playing with her twin cousins, who were enthralled with her presence.

"See?" Sukie held up a stuffed bear and smiled at her.

"I like your bear," Hannah told Sukie. "Does he have a name?"

"Mas," Sukie pointed at her brother.

Hannah giggled. "You named your bear after your brother? That's cute, Sukie!"

Sukie giggled as well. "Pretty," she pointed at Hannah.

"Thanks," Hannah smiled at her. "I think you're pretty, too. You have pretty black hair just like my mummy."

"Han-nah..." Mas called.

Hannah moved toward her other cousin, but Sukie grabbed her arm. "Stay."

Hannah looked helplessly at her mother. "Mummy, there needs to be two of me!"

Frankie laughed, as did Chiaki. "It's like this every day," Chiaki told her niece with a smile.

"And at least they're not walking all over the place like they usually do," Toshio said mussing his son's hair. "These two aren't happy until they've gotten into everything."

"Da," Mas grinned at him.

"He looks just like you," Hannah told Toshio.

"Thanks Hannah," Toshio smiled at her.

Will put his arm around Frankie. "What's this I hear about you retiring, Tosh?"

Toshio grinned ruefully. "That makes me sound so old, doesn't it?"

"Just a little," Will joked.

"He's just retiring from the stage," Chiaki explained. "He's going to be a proper businessman now helping run the company."

"I think that sounds fabulous," Frankie told him. "You won't have to travel all the time now."

"Which we love, don't we?" Chiaki asked her children.

"Dada home," Sukie stood up and toddled over to Toshio, throwing herself in his lap.

Toshio tickled her side. "That's right, my Sukie."

"Han-nah," Mas called again, holding up some blocks.

Hannah settled in beside her cousin and started to help him build a castle. "This is my most favourite thing to do right now, Mas."

"Build," Mas announced.

"You're going to be stuck for an hour," Chiaki told Hannah. "He loves that."

"It's okay," Hannah said.

"Come with me," Chiaki said grabbing her sister's hand. "You can help me check on dinner."

"Okay," Frankie agreed.

Chiaki grinned. "We never get to talk anymore. I feel so left out."

"I'm sorry," Frankie apologised. "But if it makes you feel better, I've hardly seen Allie either. She's so busy now that she's got three kids."

"I know," Chiaki said walking over to the stove and checking on the stew. "I haven't seen Jules that much, either. She's so busy with Hogwarts and her own girls. "

"It's strange," Frankie said. "Things are winding down for me. I won't get busy again until summer hols... and we got invited to go to Brighton this year with Uncle Harry and Aunt Hermione."

Chiaki grinned. "The famous Brighton trip...you gonna go?"

"I think so," Frankie nodded. "Uncle Ron and Aunt Luna aren't going to make it this year because they've got the kids now, so they have room and I want Hannah to be able to play with Caroline, Em and Katie."

"She's going to love that," Chiaki said.

"She told me the other day she's never seen the ocean," Frankie said as she tossed the salad in a big bowl. "She's never been to the beach, she's never learned to swim... there's just so much I want to do for her Chi."

Chiaki smiled at her younger sister. "I'm proud of you. I know you're getting tired of us saying that but I really am. You've grown up so much over the past couple of years."

Frankie grinned. "I guess marriage and a child will do that to a person."

"And you're a lot less annoying than you used to be," Chiaki teased. "When we were kids, you got on my nerves so much..."

"You mean when I used to spy on you and Tosh while you were snogging?" Frankie joked.

"Among other things," Chiaki said laughing.

"I just wanted to be grown up so much," Frankie replied. "And Dad never wanted any of us to be any older than eight."

"Still doesn't," Chiaki agreed.

"At least he's got grandkids to soften the blow," Frankie said.

"Six of them," Chiaki said.

"I can't believe how big Mas and Sukie are," Frankie set the bowl on the table. "It seems like they grow a foot every time I see them."

"They are," Chiaki said peeking into the sitting room where her daughter was currently playing a game with Toshio and Will. Mas was still helping Hannah build a castle.

"Red one," Mas handed it to his cousin.

"Okay," Hannah said taking it and placing it on the top. "What do you think next, Mas? Green or blue?"

"Blue," Mas clapped his little hands together.

Hannah giggled and grabbed a blue block. Sukie who had tired of the game with Will and Toshio toddled over and with one swift motion knocked the castle down.

Mas screwed up his face and let out a howl that was loud enough to rattle the windows.

"Sukie that's not nice," Hannah said softly.

"Down!" Sukie giggled.

Mas pushed his sister. "Mean!"

Sukie slapped at his hands. "Dada!"

Toshio picked up Sukie. "That wasn't very nice, Sukie. And Mas, you shouldn't push your sister."

"MEAN!" Masanobu's face was still masked in anger and he had tears in his grey eyes.

Sukie started to cry. "No mean, Dada. No mean!"

Will leaned over and picked up Mas. "Come on little guy. Hannah will help you build it again."

Hannah nodded. "We'll make it even higher than before, Mas."

"Big?" Mas looked down at Hannah, who was already gathering the blocks back together.

"Huge," Hannah said smiling at him.

"Kay," Mas's tears were forgotten as Will set him down.

"Come on you," Toshio said carrying Sukie into the kitchen.

"Uh oh," Chiaki said. "What happened?"

"Hannah and Mas were building with the blocks and Sukie here decided to knock it down," Toshio explained.

"Sukie," Chiaki said reprovingly. "You're a nice girl, remember?"

Sukie's lower lip trembled as she nodded.

"Because you're a big girl, right?" Chiaki continued.

"Big girl," Sukie nodded. "Big girl."

"That's my girl," Chiaki smoothed her daughter's hair back and gave her a kiss.

"She and Mas get along pretty much though, don't they?" Frankie asked.

"Most of the time," Chiaki took her daughter. "Right baby?"

Sukie nodded and buried her face in her mother's shoulder.

"They're having a little trouble with sharing," Toshio said.

"Frankie used to have trouble sharing too," Chiaki teased her sister.

"That is so not true," Frankie said defensively.

"Yes it is," Chiaki replied. "You used to go through me and Allie's closets all the time but when we wanted to borrow something from you... you'd throw a fit."

"That's because older sisters are supposed to hand down their things not the other way around," Frankie said defensively.

"If you say so," Chiaki was still laughing as Sukie peered at her aunt.

"What is it?" Frankie asked looking at her niece. "Hmmm?"

"Fran," Sukie said.

Frankie beamed at her. "That's me."

Chiaki grinned. "I think we're ready for dinner. You want to get Will, Hannah and Mas?"

"Mas," Sukie nodded. "And Han-nah."

Chiaki giggled. "Okay, baby."

Frankie walked back into the sitting room and smiled as she watched Hannah helping Mas build a tower.

"You can put this one on," Hannah said handing him a block. "But be really careful."

Will discreetly slid his wand out and pointed it at the castle of blocks, muttering a spell that would keep it staying up.

Mas took the block and put it on the top and he smiled when the tower didn't fall.

"Good job, Mas," Hannah said clapping her hands.

"What a great castle," Will praised them both.

"Brilliant," Frankie agreed. "Come on you guys. Dinner's ready."

"Are you hungry Mas?" Hannah asked, helping her little cousin onto his unsteady feet.

Mas nodded.

"Good because Chi cooked enough to feed us until the end of time I believe," Frankie said. "And Will don't give her a hard time about the vegetarian thing."

"I wasn't going to say a word!" Will raised both his hands.

"Let's keep it that way," Frankie said. "The vegetable stew looks fantastic."

"Smells good to me," Will said. "I'm starving."

"Me too," Hannah agreed.

Frankie carried her nephew into the kitchen and set him into his high chair beside Sukie who waved at Hannah.

Chiaki motioned to the seat beside Mas. "How about you sit there, Hannah."

"NO!" Sukie screamed when Hannah sat down. "Side me!"

"Sukie!" Chiaki frowned at her daughter.

"How about," Will said moving Mas' high chair over a little and then putting Hannah's chair between them. "Hannah sits right in the middle so you can both have her beside you."

"But I don't want to hear any more of that," Toshio told his daughter.

Sukie nodded and smiled at Hannah. "Han-nah."

Hannah smiled at her. "Are you hungry?"

"Yes," Sukie replied. Chiaki set a small bowl of food before her daughter. "Here you go, baby. It's not too hot. I promise."

"Thank you Aunt Chiaki," Hannah said politely when it was her turn.

"You're very welcome, sweetheart," Chiaki said. "Would you like a piece of bread? It's really good with the stew."

Hannah nodded. "It smells yummy."

Toshio handed the bread basket to Hannah. "One of the good things about retiring? Eating carbs, right, Chiaki?"

"You can say that again," Chiaki said.

"How have you been enjoying your dance class, Hannah?" Toshio asked. "My mother-in-law tells me that you and Em are the stars of the class."

Hannah blushed. "It's been a lot of fun," she said shyly.

"Em always gets a bit distracted," Chiaki told them. "She doesn't always pay attention to the instructions, but she is quite the little ham."

Frankie nodded. "I can see that," she said with a grin.

"She does really good though," Hannah said loyally.

"Mum says Hannah's good enough to move up a class if she wants," Chiaki told them.

Hannah stared at her. "Really?"

"If you want to," Chiaki said. "But you can also stay in Emma's class. There's nothing wrong with that."

"She really thinks I'm good enough?" Hannah asked.

"Absolutely," Chiaki confirmed.

"Can I think about it?" Hannah asked. "I-I kind of like having a friend in my class now."

"Sure," Frankie told her daughter. "And if you want to stay in that class, it's okay."

"Thanks, Mummy," Hannah said.

"I hear that you were able to meet the one and only Saffron Grace Potter yesterday," Chiaki said to Hannah. "She's something else, isn't she?"

"She was really nice to me," Hannah said.

"And she's a great babysitter," Chiaki said to Frankie.

"I'll keep that in mind," Frankie said. "Just in case."

"How's things at work for you, Will?" Toshio asked conversationally.

"Good," Will nodded. "We just got six new contracts for new textbooks, so we'll be pretty busy for the next few months at least."

"He's the only person I know who could write that stuff and make it seem interesting," Frankie said winking at her husband.

"Thanks I think," Will said dryly.

"It's a compliment," Frankie assured him with a grin.

"I really like how you two dance together," Hannah said softly to her aunt and uncle.

"Oh thanks," Chiaki smiled at her. "We've been doing it for a long time."

They all had quite a nice dinner together- Hannah struck a fit of the giggles when the pudding they had for dessert got smeared all over Mas's face.

"Wearing your dessert is quite the fashion these days," Frankie giggled.

"And it's always fun to clean up," Chiaki said. "You're going to have a bath tonight, Mas."

"You too, Miss Sukie," Toshio said.

"No bath," Sukie shook her head, her silky black hair flying around her head.

"Uh-huh," Toshio said picking her up. "You are going to have a nice bath and you can't sweet talk your way out of it."

"Dada," Sukie patted his cheeks.

"Having a bath can be fun," Hannah volunteered. "Mummy and Daddy let me bring toys in the bathtub and they even colour the water for me."

"Good idea, Frankie," Chiaki said. "I would never have thought of that."

"I can't take credit," Frankie replied. "I got the idea from Josh and Lizzy."

"I am going to have to use that tonight," Chiaki said.

"I bet I know what colour my Sukie will want," Toshio swung his daughter into the air.

Sukie giggled. "Pink!"

"And Mas here will want blue," Chiaki kissed her son's forehead. "Right my love?"

Mas clapped his chubby little hands excitedly.

"Well, on that note, we should get this one home," Frankie said. "Right, Hannah?'

"Okay," Hannah said. "Can Mas and Sukie come over to play soon, though?"

"Of course," Chiaki promised. "They'd love that."

Hannah gave her cousins both hugs. "We'll build a really big castle next time, okay Mas?"

"Kay," Mas said happily. "Bye Han-nah."

"We play too," Sukie told her.

"Deal," Hannah said grinning at her.

"You've had a big day," Will said to his daughter. "You're going home and to bed, young lady."

Hannah let out a yawn. "Okay, Daddy."

"Thanks for dinner," Frankie said to her sister. "We'll return the favour sometime soon."

"I'll hold you to it," Chiaki said giving her a hug.

"And congratulations on the retirement," Frankie kissed her brother in law's cheek. "It'll be good to see you around more often."

"Thanks, Frankie," Toshio said. "You'll probably get sick of seeing me so much."

"Nah," Frankie teased. "I'm sort of used to you now."

"Thanks for dinner," Will said to Chiaki. "Not bad for vegetarian."

"As if he's THAT much of a meat eater," Frankie replied.

"Thanks for making the sacrifice," Chiaki teased.

Hannah was nearly asleep by the time they got home. "I'll put her to bed," Will told his wife.

"I'll come too," Frankie said.

"All right," Will said as he carried her upstairs.

Frankie pulled out Hannah's pyjamas. "Sweetheart, let me help you get into these."

"Okay Mummy," Hannah blinked as Will set her on the bed.

"You did have a big day today," Frankie said helping Hannah take off her dress.

"I'm so happy I found seven eggs," Hannah said, trying to unbutton her dress.

"And I'm so proud of you for helping Emma," Frankie said taking care of the buttons for her.

"You are?" Hannah asked, pleased.

"Absolutely," Frankie said helping Hannah into her pyjamas. "You too tired for a story tonight?"

Hannah shook her head. "I love when you read to me Mummy."

Frankie gave her a hug. "Well, that's good because I did get a new magazine yesterday. William, can you go and get it for me? It's on the nightstand?"

"Frankie," Will complained. "Let's read her a story we can both enjoy. Save the magazine for later."

"You don't have to stay in here," Frankie said rolling her eyes. "And besides, Hannah likes it, Will."

"It's okay Mummy," Hannah said, her eyes skipping nervously between them. "I don't want you to fight..."

"We're not fighting," Frankie reassured her. "Hey..."

"You aren't?" Hannah asked.

"No," Will said. "We're just having a go at each other. We can read whatever you want, baby."

"Is it okay if we read some fairy tales tonight then?" Hannah asked.

"Of course," Frankie said. "You and I can read the magazine tomorrow when I get home from work."

"Okay," Hannah relaxed.

Hannah slid underneath the covers as her parents took a seat on either side of her. Will picked up the book of fairy tales and asked her which one she wanted to hear tonight. After much thought, Hannah looked sheepishly at him. "I can't decide. Can you pick one?"

"How about Hansel and Gretel?" Will asked with a smile.

"Okay," Hannah said cuddling up close to Frankie as Will began to read.

It didn't take her long to fall asleep and Frankie tucked the blankets in around her as Will put out the light.

"Come on," Will whispered. "Let's go to bed, too."

"Sounds good to me," Frankie nodded. "I'm pretty exhausted as well.

Will went downstairs to make sure the doors were locked and to turn out the lights before he joined his wife in their bedroom. He made quicker work of getting ready for bed than Frankie who had to go through about a half dozen beauty rituals.

"Hey Will?" Frankie asked.

"Yeah?" Will asked.

"Don't laugh at me if I tell you something..." Frankie came into the bedroom.

Will set aside his book. "O-kay..."

She got into bed beside him. "I was watching Hannah tonight with Mas and Sukie and it just sort of got me thinking..."

"Thinking about what?" Will asked her.

"How I think Hannah would be having a brother or sister," Frankie said tentatively.

Will smiled at her. "Are you saying---?"

"I'd like to try," Frankie said as he reached for her. "I'm scared to death, but if I can do this well with Hannah..."

"You're a great mum," Will said putting his arms around her. "Oh, sweetheart..."

"You really think we could handle two?" Frankie asked, pressing her face into his shoulder.

"I do," Will said nuzzling her neck.

"NO!" they heard Hannah call out from her bedroom.

Frankie immediately pulled away and grabbed her robe as she dashed for her daughter's room, Will right on her heels.

"Hannah," Frankie said gently waking her daughter. "Sweetheart----"

In her sleep, Hannah slapped at Frankie's hands. "No! Please! No!"

"Hannah," Frankie tried to hold her hands down. "Baby, wake up..."

Hannah opened her eyes and she looked up at Frankie's concerned face. "H-he was in my room, Mummy! He was in here and he told me he was going to hurt me like he did my mummy!"

"No, baby no," Frankie held her closely. "He can't get to you ever again."

"But he was in here!" Hannah insisted holding on tightly to Frankie.

"How about Daddy goes and looks around?" Frankie asked. "Will that make you feel better?"

Hannah nodded. "Okay."

Frankie stroked her hair off her sweaty forehead while Will checked the closet and under the bed. "No one here, sweetheart."

Hannah looked up at Frankie. "It seemed real, Mummy. I was...I was in here and he came in and told me that I was a bad girl and that he was going to punish me like he did my mummy and that you didn't really l-love me."

"That is absolutely not true," Frankie told her. "Your daddy and I love you more than anything else in the world."

"Don't leave me," Hannah pleaded.

"Of course not baby," Frankie kissed the top of her head. "Never."

"How about you come and sleep with us?" Will asked her. "Would that be okay?"

Hannah nodded, wiping her eyes.

Will retrieved her stuffed bear and together the three of them walked across the hall to the master bedroom.

"I'm sorry," Hannah apologised.

"Honey you don't have to be sorry," Frankie told her. "Nightmares are just no fun."

Hannah nodded and got into bed with her parents, hugging her bear protectively to her. The dream had seemed so real and it had made her doubt her place in her family.

Will left one dim light on before he slid under the covers. "It's going to be all right, Hannah." he said, tucking her hair behind her ear.

"We'd never let anything happen to you," Frankie promised.

Hannah nodded as she curled up into a little ball.

"Try and get some sleep, baby," Frankie whispered.

The little girl was asleep again in a few seconds. "That killed the mood a bit," Will joked weakly.

"Mrs. Roman warned us that she wouldn't forget the damage he's done very easily, Will," Frankie whispered. "But this was the first time she'd had a nightmare in a week or so."

"I know," he said. "I hate that she thinks we'd get mad at her for having them."

Frankie looked down at Hannah's sleeping face. "Our sweet baby girl."

Will smiled as he kissed Hannah's temple. "Always our sweet girl," he agreed.

"I just hope that one day, the bad dreams go away and she doesn't worry about David Wright ever again," Frankie said looking at Will.

"We'll just keep showing her that we love her," Will said. "Eventually the nightmares will stop."

Frankie smiled at him. "You're a great father, Will."

"And you, Frankie Barron, are a fantastic mother," Will leaned over and kissed her.

"Good night," Frankie said softly.

"Night, both my girls," Will echoed.

Frankie closed her eyes, but she didn't fall asleep. Not only was she worried about her daughter, she was still thinking about possibly having a baby. She'd seen how well Hannah had interacted with her cousins.

It was a possibility that still scared her, but after seeing how it was with Hannah, something that she was now more open to.

She was a little concerned with how Hannah might react to having a sister or brother. She hoped that Hannah wouldn't think that she would be loved any differently because she wasn't biologically theirs.

She turned on her side and Hannah instinctively snuggled closer to her. Kissing her daughter's forehead, she made a firm resolve to never let Hannah feel unloved in any way, shape or form.

"Love you, Mummy," Hannah whispered.

"I love you too baby," Frankie said softly. "More than anything."

168. 168- Mia and Hannah interview next week!

Authors' note: We've been writing this story for quite some time now. There are lots of characters to play with and try to give "air time" to. Some of these characters you like, some you don't. Everyone has a different opinion.

However, we'd like to remind some of you again that we DO write these chapters pretty far in advance, so telling us that we should cut scenes or move them around won't do any good.

We do appreciate the feedback and we are trying to space things out a little more so you don't feel like you're in overload on certain characters. But, you can take heart that if you don't like a particular character or a storyline, there's usually another group of characters or another storyline going on along with that.

So we understand if you feel the need to skip over parts of chapters because you don't like it- we promise not to be mad! But again, we aren't going to be changing things around so please remember that!

Please do continue to give us feedback---we appreciate the constructive criticism. Next week’s interview will be with Mia and Hannah, and will also be the last character interview for awhile!

Harry and Hermione surprised their youngest daughter with a breakfast on her 17th birthday. She awoke like she always did, throwing on her robe before heading downstairs for breakfast. To her delight, she found her parents, Elinore and Andrew sitting in the kitchen waiting for her. They all yelled out surprise when she blearily walked into the room.

"Mum!" Saffron squealed. "You could have warned me! I look horrible!"

Andrew and Elinore laughed as Saffron turned and rushed into the bathroom.

"Something tells me that it's not us that she's doing that for," Harry mused.

"Come on Saffy," Andrew knocked on the door. "You look beautiful."

Saffron pulled her hair back into a ponytail and then brushed her teeth. When she was satisfied that she didn't look completely terrible, she opened the door.

"You didn't tell me," Saffron said giving him a kiss.

"That would have defeated the purpose," Andrew grinned at her. "Happy Birthday."

"Thanks," Saffron said giggling.

"Come on," Andrew took her hand. "Your grandmother was really anxious to see you this morning."

Saffron followed him back into the kitchen and practically swooned when she saw the blueberry pancakes. "Daddy! My favourites!"

Harry kissed his daughter's cheek. "Whatever you want today, baby."

"Thanks," Saffron said beaming at him.

"Your brother apologised for not being here, but he did owl over your present," Hermione told her daughter. "Hard to believe that 17 years ago, he was talking to my stomach and warning you not to hurt me."

Saffron laughed. "I can just picture Ethan doing that."

"And Jules is going to take you to lunch tomorrow," Hermione said. "She said she'd give you your present tomorrow."

"I can't wait," Saffron said as she hugged her grandmother. "I've missed you Gran."

"Happy Birthday, my sweet girl," Elinore said hugging her tightly. "I can't believe you're 17 years old today!"

"And I can do magic anytime I want to now!" Saffron said with a grin.

"I've alerted the media," Harry teased. "And everyone knows now that they'd better watch out."

"Very funny," Saffron said.

Elinore pulled a small package out of her bag. "Saffron Grace, there's something that your grandfather hoped to be here to give to you someday. But, I promised him that if something happened, I'd give it to you."

Saffron sat down. "Grandpa wanted to give it to me?"

Elinore nodded and handed her the package. "It's been in the Granger family for years. It belonged to his great-grandmother and he found them a few years back in the attic. The moment he saw them, he told me that he'd give them to you."

Saffron opened the box curiously and gasped when she saw the antique sterling silver earrings. "Gran, these are beautiful..."

Hermione smiled. "I remember those! Saffron, do you remember that portrait I showed you of your great-great-great grandmother Amelia? She was wearing those in that portrait."

"Wow," Saffron was still gazing at the earrings with tears in her eyes.

Elinore's eyes were welling up too. "He loved you so much, Saffy. You were his star."

"I loved him too," Saffron wiped her eyes. "He meant a lot to me... and you do too Gran. Thank you so much." she hugged her grandmother again.

"You're very welcome," Elinore said softly.

"Your gift from us is in the backyard," Hermione told her daughter. "Your father talked me into it..."

"In the backyard?" Saffron asked, looking back and forth between her parents.

"Do you remember this past Christmas when we were in the Quidditch shop and we heard about that new line of brooms that was coming out in the summer?" Harry asked her. "Well, I happen to know someone and I was able to get you a Powerflight 4000...."

Saffron screamed at the top of her lungs and ran out the back door, Puddles on her heels. "OH MY GOD!"

Hermione laughed. "I think she likes it, Harry."

"That's amazing sir," Andrew was also wide eyed. "They're trying to get these for the Quidditch teams and haven't been able to."

"They're not supposed to be released to the public until June but I called in a favour," Harry said grinning as Saffron hugged the broom to her with Puddles yipping at her heels.

"Daddy thank you so much," Saffron came back in and threw her arms around him, still holding onto the broom.

"You're very welcome," Harry said grinning at her. "I promised your mum you'd be careful."

"I'm always careful," Saffron promised.

"Music to my ears," Hermione said. "Now let's eat before it gets cold."

"Can I just touch it?" Andrew asked.

Saffron laughed. "You can hold it but you have to promise to give it back."

"I will," Andrew said, carefully taking the broom into his hands.

"I cannot wait to try it out," Saffron said smiling at him. "Isn't it great?"

"It's amazing," Andrew's eyes were wide.

Saffron grinned. "Come on. Let's go eat and then maybe we can take it for a ride."

"Sounds good to me," Andrew grinned at her.

Saffron sat down beside Andrew and felt so happy, surrounded by the people she loved most in the world. She helped herself to a huge stack of pancakes and grinned at Andrew. "My dad makes the best pancakes, Andrew. Wait until you try them."

"They smell great," Andrew said. "Thanks for having me over, Mr. and Mrs. Potter."

"It's our pleasure, Andrew," Hermione said. "How are your parents doing?"

"Good," Andrew said. "They said to say hello."

"I don't know if we should show my new broom to your dad, Andrew," Saffron said. "He'd probably try and keep it."

Andrew laughed. "You'd have to forcibly take it away."

"I don't think I'll show it to Ethan either," Saffron said thoughtfully. "Thought it will be nice to rub his face in it...not that I would, of course."

"Saffy," Hermione laughed.

"Come on, Mum," Saffron said. "You remember how anal he was about his Nimbus 4000? He wouldn't let anyone breathe on it."

Harry laughed. "I let a speck of dust fall on it once and he nearly had a coronary."

"See?" Saffron asked her mother. "That's why I'm not letting him anywhere near my new broom."

Breakfast went by smoothly and Saffron raced upstairs to get dressed so she and Andrew could go ride on her new broom before heading out for the day. "What do you think?" she asked her dog.

Puddles hopped up on her bed and looked at her before barking his approval.

"Thanks baby," Saffron gave him a kiss on the head.

She grabbed her jacket before hurrying downstairs. Andrew was chatting with Harry.

"Okay," she said. "Time to see how my new broom is!"

"Be careful," Hermione called out from the kitchen. "And don't go too high!"

"Mum that's the whole point!" Saffron replied. "Going as high as I can!"

"Just don't watch, Hermione," Harry called out.

"I'm steering," Saffron said to her boyfriend.

"Saf--" Andrew protested following her into the backyard.

Saffron grinned at him. "I'll let you ride it yourself later."

Andrew held up his hands. "Okay, it's your birthday."

Saffron kissed him. "I'm so glad we get to spend the day together."

"Me too," Andrew said. "Does it feel any different being 17?"

"You mean besides the fact that I made my bed with my wand this morning?" Saffron joked.

Andrew laughed. "Besides that."

"Not really," Saffron said thoughtfully.

Andrew gave her another kiss. "Happy Birthday."

"Thank you," Saffron kept her lips pressed to his for a moment.

"I'm ready to get you in the air," Andrew said smiling at her.

"So am I!" Saffron said, climbing onto the broom. Andrew slid behind her, wrapping his arms around her waist.

"Let's see what this baby can do," Andrew whispered in her ear.

Saffron pulled up a little and the broom quite literally shot into the air.

"WHOA!" Andrew yelled.

Saffron squealed. "This is AMAZING!"

"Did you see how fast we went up?" Andrew asked in her ear. "No broom I've ever seen goes that fast that quickly!"

"This broom is INCREDIBLE!" Saffron said excitedly.

Andrew squeezed her around the middle. "You're pretty amazing, too."

She laughed and leaned back. "You're just saying that because I have a nice broom," she teased.

Andrew nuzzled her neck. "You've got me. I'm only after you for your...broom."

"I knew it," Saffron answered dryly as she brought them around in a loop.

"You've figured me out," Andrew said poking her side. "All this time, I just knew that one day you'd get the best broom ever and I was patient and it finally happened!"

"You've got the girl with the best broom," Saffron looked back at him.

"Best girl with the best broom," Andrew corrected her.

She grinned. "Want a turn before we go out?"

"I do," Andrew replied. "But we have a big day ahead of us."

"Do I FINALLY get a hint?" Saffron asked.

"No," Andrew replied firmly. "No hints."

"Just a teeny weeny one?" she begged.

"Okay," Andrew relented as she landed the broom. "It's something I've wanted to get you for quite some time."

"That's not a hint," she pushed his shoulder.

"Saffy," Andrew said. "If I tell you, it will spoil the surprise."

"Okay," she said. "Sure you don't want to take a spin?"

"Positive," Andrew said. "Come on. We need to get a move on."

"Okay," Saffron said. She put the broom inside and said goodbye to her parents and grandmother before leaving with her boyfriend.

Andrew had borrowed his father's car deciding it would be fun to drive around with his girlfriend. He was silent as he drove them toward their first destination. Saffron though kept peppering him with questions, but he remained tight-lipped. He pulled into the parking lot for the London Zoo.

"What are we doing here?" she asked, unbuckling her seat belt.

"I thought you'd like to hang around with some other monkeys besides me," Andrew said with a grin. "Don't touch the door. I've got it."

"Andrew!" Saffron said, laughing as he came around to her side.

Andrew opened the door and offered her his hand. "My lady---"

"Good sir," Saffron batted her eyes.

Andrew grinned. "May I have the honour of your company on this day?'

"Of course," Saffron answered, a bit perplexed.

"I know it's not the most ideal place for a date, but I haven't been since I was a kid and you mentioned once that you'd like to come here," Andrew told her as they made their way to the front gate.

"This is perfect," Saffron squeezed his hand.

Andrew paid their admission and the two of them picked up a map. "Where do you want to go first, Miss Potter?"

"Tigers," Saffron said immediately.

"You've got it," Andrew said squeezing her hand. "I miss being like this with you...everyday."

"Me too," Saffron said wistfully. "But only one more year of school for me after this and then we can be together all the time."

"I can't wait," Andrew said softly.

"Me either," Saffron pulled her hand from his and he lifted his arm over her shoulders. "This has been a great day already, Andrew."

"It's only going to get better," he hinted.

"You mean there's more?" she asked, surprised.

"Maybe," Andrew said.

"OH MY GOD!" a girl behind them squealed. "OH MY GOD! IT IS HIM!"

Saffron and Andrew both turned around.

Three girls who looked to be about 13 or 14 years old, practically swarmed around Andrew.

"What's going on?" Andrew asked as Saffron was practically pushed aside.

"Andrew Kirke!" one of the girls exclaimed touching his arm. "OH MY GOD!"

"He's even cuter in person," the other girl said dreamily.

"I beg your pardon?" Andrew looked at his girlfriend in confusion. "Saf?"

Saffron shrugged.

One of the girls produced a magazine from her bag. "You made the cover of Witch Weekly! See!"

"Andrew Kirke Jr. named new Wizard McDreamy?" Andrew read incredulously.

"Did you pose for that?" Saffron asked looking at the magazine.

"Not knowingly..." Andrew said, turning to the article.

"Can you sign that for me?" the girl asked. "Please?"

"Um, sure," Andrew said uncomfortably.

"You're so lucky," one of the girls said to Saffron.

Saffron smiled. "Thanks... I think so too. He's really the greatest."

Andrew signed the magazine for the girl.

"You can have one of my copies if you like," one of her friends said. "I bought four."

"Thanks," Saffron took it. "I'll give you some money for it."

The girl shook her head. "No, please. Take it."

"Thank you," Saffron said. "That's really nice of you."

"No problem," the girl said giggling with her friends before walking away.

Saffron took the magazine and sat down on a bench eager to read the article about her boyfriend. "Andrew Kirke Jr. might not have won the Championship Cup, but he certainly won the hearts of millions of witches worldwide. His boy-next-door good lucks and winsome personality have him at the top of our want to date lists.

"Saf," Andrew was embarrassed. "Come on, that's all rubbish."

Saffron grinned at him before continuing to read aloud. "Kirke honed his Quidditch skills at Hogwarts where he starred on the house team for five of his seven years at the school. Many girls had a crush on the former Gryffindor, but his heart belongs to only one."

"At least they got something right," Andrew slid his arm around her.

"Hogwarts Sixth Year Saffron Potter has Andrew wrapped around her little finger, said an unnamed source," Saffron smiled. "I wonder who that was."

Andrew laughed. "Not you?"

Saffron giggled. "No, not me. Oh, look at this...a list of your favourites. Let's see...your favourite food...pizza. Your favourite colour is blue?"

"No it's not," Andrew replied.

"It's red," Saffron said smugly. "And your favourite film isn't that piece of garbage. It's Pulp Fiction."

"You know me better than anyone," Andrew gave her a kiss. "Come on, we can read that later."

"Right," Saffron said. "You can autograph it for me later, McDreamy."

"Shut up," Andrew turned red.

Saffron put the magazine away in her bag and together she and Andrew set off for the tigers.

"RJ's probably jealous," Saffron teased.

"I don't think he'd care," Andrew answered.

"Probably not," Saffron said. "Um, Andrew...there's something I should probably tell you..."

"What?" he asked.

"Gabe and Alexa are together, together," Saffron told him. "They spent all day together yesterday and she called last night to tell me."

"Really?" Andrew asked.

Saffron nodded. "She's really happy about it, too."

"I'm glad for her," Andrew said. "Lex is a sweet girl and Gabe really likes her a lot."

"That's the understatement of the decade," Saffron grinned. "She deserves some happiness after what that asshole roommate of yours did to her."

"Saf," Andrew sighed. "Come on, not today."

"Okay," Saffron relented. "I'll be nice."

"Here are the tigers," Andrew pointed.

"Oooh," Saffron said excitedly. "Let's get a closer look!"

"All right," Andrew said as they moved through the crowd.

Saffron manoeuvred it so they'd be at the front and Andrew stood behind her, resting his chin on her shoulder. "They're so cute!"

"Cute," Andrew smirked. "Any cuter and they'd bite your head off."

Saffron turned sideways. "You know, the same thing has been said about me."

Andrew laughed. "I wouldn't agree with it."

"Good answer," Saffron said leaning against him.

Andrew kissed her temple. "What next?"

"Let's go look at those monkeys you're so fond of," Saffron replied.

"Right," Andrew looked at the map. "They're over this way."

"I remember coming here with my dad when I was little," Saffron said fondly. "He never once complained, you know? I must have dragged him around here three times. And he just let me lead him wherever I wanted to go."

"Your dad's pretty cool," Andrew said. "And he loves you a lot."

Saffron smiled. "Yeah...I think he wanted to give us what he didn't have growing up. And he's done that and more."

Andrew tightened his hold around her shoulders. "We're both pretty lucky to have good parents."

"We are," Saffron said. "And this morning with my Gran...I can't believe my Grandpa wanted to give me those earrings, Andrew."

Andrew smiled. "They're gorgeous just like you."

"And you are perfect," Saffron said leaning in.

Andrew kissed her again, not caring about the crowd around them.

"I love you," Saffron whispered.

"Love you," he tucked her hair behind her ear.

"You know what," Saffron said beaming up at him. "You make me so happy."

"That goes double for me," Andrew said. "That day we got together was one of the best days in my life."

"Mine too," Saffron agreed.

Andrew kissed her again, wrapping his arms around her waist.

"Who needs a birthday present with kisses like that," Saffron said dreamily.

Andrew grinned. "You..."

She nudged him in the side. "Okay..."

"So you admit it," Andrew took her hand.

"I do," Saffron said leading the way toward the monkey house.

"Let's go look over here," Andrew pointed to a less crowded area.

Saffron nodded. "Okay."

They spent quite a bit of time watching the monkeys, then left to see some of the reptiles and spent a good part of the afternoon wandering around idly.

"I want ice cream," Saffron announced.

"Ice cream it is," Andrew dug into his pockets for his money.

Saffron found a bench for them and she took the magazine from her bag to read the article again as she waited for her boyfriend. If she did say so herself, her boyfriend was pretty dreamy.

"Triple scoop chocolate strawberry praline," Andrew came back. "Saf why are you reading that again?"

Saffron grinned. "Finding out all this fascinating stuff about you."

"You already know everything there is to know," Andrew bit into his cone.

Saffron shut the magazine and took a bite of her own cone. "I didn't know that your guilty pleasure was singing show tunes..."

"What?" Andrew snatched the magazine away. "You've got to be bloody kidding me..."

Saffron laughed. "It didn't say that, Andrew!"

"Funny Saf. I don’t even like show tunes," Andrew muttered.

Saffron took another bite of her ice cream. "I had to do it, Andrew."

"Very funny," Andrew stuffed the magazine into her bag.

'So," Saffron said. "Where are we going next?"

"If you're hungry for more than just ice cream, we can have dinner." Andrew said.

"Sure," Saffron replied.

They stood up and finished their ice cream as they headed for their exit.

"Where are we having dinner?" Saffron asked.

"At the best restaurant around," Andrew grinned at her as he backed out of the parking spot. "Chez Andrew."

Saffron smiled. "My favourite."

"And I made your favourite dinner," Andrew continued.

"Andrew!"

"It IS your birthday," Andrew pulled into traffic. "You'll get everything you want."

"I like the way you think," Saffron said leaning back in her seat. This really was turning into the best day.

"When are you going to take your Apparition test?" he asked.

"Two weeks from today," Saffron replied. "I think I'm ready."

"I'm sure you are," he took her hand and squeezed it.

Saffron looked at him. "And I'll get my present?"

"You will," Andrew said with a grin. "Tonight..."

It didn't take long to make it back to Andrew's flat and Saffron practically floated upstairs with Andrew.

"We have the place all to ourselves tonight," Andrew said.

Saffron couldn't stop the smile from spreading across her face. "Where is Junior tonight then?"

"He's out," Andrew said simply.

Saffron bit back her smart remark. "That's nice," she said instead.

"Yes it is," Andrew said, pushing her against the wall and covering her mouth with his.

Saffron hadn't expected him to do that, but it didn't take her long to get into the mood. She kissed him back with everything she had, something she'd wanted to do all day.

His hands slid around her waist, bringing her body against his. "Sofa?" he managed.

"Fabulous idea," Saffron whispered.

He picked her up and carried her honeymoon style into the sitting room.

Saffron giggled as he set her down on the sofa. "Andrew!"

"It's your birthday," he said. "I have to treat you accordingly."

Saffron smiled up at him. "You are perfect."

"I am not," Andrew turned red.

"You are," Saffron said softly. "Perfect for me."

"Now that I'll agree with," Andrew tucked her long hair behind her ears before cupping her face in his hands and kissing her again.

Saffron giggled as she felt something pressing into her abdomen. "Hmm...is that my present?"

"Could be," Andrew said huskily.

"Mmmhmm," Saffron murmured.

His hands ran down her sides and back up, taking her shirt with his fingers.

Saffron shivered at the touch of his fingers on her bare skin.

He still knew they weren't quite ready to go all the way and he was fine with that, but he had to remember when to stop.

"Um," Saffron said breathlessly. "Um, maybe we should....have dinner now?"

"If you want," Andrew said softly.

"It's not that I'm not enjoying this," Saffron reassured him.

"I know," he said.

Saffron sat up and gave him another kiss. "This day has been amazing thanks to you."

"The day's still young," Andrew smiled at her.

"Do you need any help with dinner?" Saffron asked.

"Not even a little," Andrew got up. "I asked your parents if it was okay, and they said it would be fine if you had a little champagne."

"My dad must have been feeling really good this morning," Saffron said with a grin.

"They knew I wanted to make the day special for you," Andrew answered.

"And...my present?" Saffron asked.

"You're really eager aren't you?" Andrew laughed. "All right, you can have it now."

Saffron clapped her hands together. "Yay!"

Andrew gave her a kiss. "Come on into the kitchen."

Saffron took his hand and followed him into the kitchen.

"Close your eyes," he said. He turned her palm up and placed a small, wrapped box into it.

Saffron grinned. "Can I open my eyes now?"

"Yes, and you can open your gift," Andrew teased.

Saffron opened her eyes and saw the small box. "Andrew!"

"Open it," he said. "You've made enough of a fuss..."

"I have not made a fuss," Saffron told him as she began to unwrap the box. "You know that----"

"Sure," Andrew teased as he went into the icebox for what he'd already prepared.

Saffron fell silent when she opened the box and saw a beautiful, sterling silver and emerald bracelet. "Andrew," she whispered.

He smiled at her. "Sort of reminded me of you," he said softly. "Unique..."

"It's beautiful," Saffron said smiling at him. "Thank you!"

"You're welcome," he said as she hugged him tightly.

"Will you help put it on?" Saffron asked.

"Sure," he said, clasping it around her wrist. "There."

"Perfect," Saffron said beaming at him.

"Time for dinner," he said after she'd kissed him again.

"It smells wonderful," Saffron commented, taking her seat at the table.

"Well," he said, using his wand to light some candles. "We're starting off with a salad my mum taught me how to make. After that, we have your favourite, Chicken Masala, then for dessert--"

"What?" Saffron asked excitedly.

"Sticky toffee pudding," Andrew finished.

Saffron rubbed her hands together. "Yum!"

"I'm glad that triple cone didn't ruin your appetite," Andrew teased.

"Not at all," Saffron grinned. "And tomorrow Jules is taking me to the Ritz for lunch."

"Fancy," Andrew replied.

"It's something she and I have always done together on my birthday," Saffron explained. "She always takes me out for lunch, just the two of us."

"It's nice to have a tradition like that," Andrew said thoughtfully as they began to eat.

"I've always looked up to her," Saffron confided. "Even when I was little, I thought she was the greatest sister in the entire world."

Andrew smiled at her. "She is pretty cool. And the two of you are tight."

"Did you ever wish you had brothers or sisters?" Saffron asked him.

"Sometimes," Andrew replied.

"If I say something will you promise not to freak out?" Saffron asked. "Because I'm not saying it because I'm thinking of it or because I want us to do it now or anything. It's just an observation."

Andrew gave her a strange look. "What?"

"I think you'd make a great father someday," Saffron said softly.

Andrew chuckled. "Thanks, I think."

Saffron was relieved he hadn't taken it wrong. "I just saw how you interacted with the kids at the Burrow and you were so nice to Hannah," Saffron explained.

"She's a sweet kid," Andrew answered. "I feel bad for her. She's already had some tough breaks, but it looks like her luck has changed."

"It has," Saffron agreed after taking a bite of her chicken. "And I already told Frankie I'd be happy to baby-sit when I'm home this summer."

Andrew smiled. "Want some more champagne?"

"Yes, please," Saffron replied.

He poured her another glass. "Let me know if you start feeling it."

"I will," Saffron said raising her glass. "I know it's my birthday, but I wanted to thank you for being the best boyfriend in the world and I couldn't have asked for a better day. Thank you, Andrew Kirke!"

Andrew touched his glass to hers. "And here's to the best girlfriend a bloke could ask for."

"With the best broom," Saffron laughed.

"How could I forget?" Andrew asked dryly.

"And in just a few weeks time," Saffron said. "We'll be in Brighton."

"I'll be able to be there most of the time," Andrew said. "I'll have to come back for practises."

"Lexie isn't so sure she wants to come this year," Saffron told him.

"Doesn't she know RJ won't be there?" Andrew asked as he cleared their dinner plates away.

"What?" Saffron asked.

"His mum and dad aren't going," Andrew said. "Since they've got the foster kids. So he told me he's not going. Drew and Darla still might be, as well as Jon and his family."

Saffron hadn't expected that. She'd never been to Brighton when RJ hadn't been there. But, it would be better for her because then she wouldn't have to act like she didn't think he was a complete arse and thus infuriate Andrew.

"Should be peaceful," Andrew gave her a meaningful look.

Saffron nodded. "Yeah for once."

"I know I'm looking forward to it," Andrew put the dishes in the sink.

"Me too," Saffron said excitedly. "Going out on the boat, going to the arcade. You and me and Lexie and Gabe!"

"Almost just like last year," Andrew said, going into the oven where he'd kept dessert warm.

"And I want to include Ash again," Saffron said.

"Sure," Andrew agreed. "We had a lot of fun with her last time."

"I just have always felt bad that she didn't have someone her age around," Saffron said thoughtfully. "And with her going to Hogwarts next year...'

"She'll make some good friends at school," Andrew replied.

"I hope so," Saffron said taking her dish from Andrew. "She's shy but once you get to know her, she can talk your ear off."

"She talked to me a lot," Andrew mused.

"She has a bit of a crush," Saffron said. "As if you didn't know..."

"On me?" Andrew asked. "Are you serious?"

Saffron stared at him in disbelief. "She always asks me how you are and did you see her face when you danced with her at Ethan's wedding?"

Andrew shrugged.

"We all get those little crushes," Saffron remembered. "Do you know when I was six years old, I loved Josh Weasley?"

Andrew laughed. "Didn't he fancy your sister?"

Saffron nodded. "But they're still really close and when I would be over at Jules', sometimes he'd be there and he'd read to me and I just thought he was the greatest thing since Bertie Botts."

"That's cute," Andrew grinned.

"What about you?" Saffron asked. "Any childhood crushes?"

"When I was really young I thought Celestina Warbeck was hot," Andrew confessed. "Really, really young..."

Saffron grinned. "Andrew---"

"It's bad, I know," Andrew laughed.

"And I remember that you dated Ramona Michaelson during your fifth year," Saffron said. "Was it your unrequited love for Celestina that tore you two apart?"

"Shut up Saf," Andrew replied. "No it wasn't."

"What was it?" Saffron asked eagerly. "I always wondered..."

"We just weren't that compatible," Andrew answered.

"Well Ramona's loss was my gain," Saffron said grinning at him.

"That's right," Andrew smiled back.

"And since we are talking about our past relationships," Saffron said. "Guess who Peter told me he fancies now?"

"Who?" Andrew asked. "Long as it's not you, I don't care."

"Not me," Saffron said gleefully. "Beth."

"Beth?" Andrew raised his eyebrows. "Beth Murphy?"

"The one and only," Saffron confided. "But she doesn't know yet. She's still holding out hope that the Headmaster is going to sweep her off her feet. But Peter's studied with her a few times and they get along great. He's thinking of asking her to our last Hogsmeade weekend."

"Well... that's good." Andrew replied.

"He's really changed," Saffron said thoughtfully. "You know he's learned from his mistakes."

"A lot of people do," Andrew looked straight at her. "Like RJ."

Saffron's smile faded. "That's completely different."

Andrew decided not to pursue it. "What did you want to do next?" he asked instead.

"It doesn't matter to me," Saffron said. "As long as we're together."

Andrew grinned at her. "We could go to a movie, if you want..."

"I'd like that," Saffron said.

"Or," Andrew said, pulling her to her feet. "We could stay here and watch a movie..."

"Oooooh," Saffron said grinning at him. "I didn't know Chez Andrew showed films, too?"

"Why yes it does," Andrew replied. "Only the best films that you've already seen so you don't have to pay attention..."

"And comfortable seats?" Saffron asked.

"A sofa for two," Andrew said softly.

"This has been the best birthday!" Saffron threw her arms around him.

"I'm glad, Saf," Andrew gave her a kiss.

Back at the Minister's mansion, Harry offered his wife a piece of birthday cake. "Did you get your mum home okay?"

"Yes," Hermione answered. "I worry about her. She's lonely in that house all by herself."

"She's more than welcome to move in here with us," Harry said sitting down beside her.

"I've asked, at least a dozen times," Hermione set the cake on the table in front of her. "She's stubborn."

"Like her daughter," Harry said putting his arm around his wife.

Hermione managed a small smile as she leaned against her husband.

"And our little girl is seventeen years old," Harry said with a laugh. "When did that happen?"

"I can hardly believe it either," Hermione mused. "Feels like yesterday we found out I was pregnant."

"She's all grown up," Harry said.

"She was so excited about spending the day with Andrew," Hermione said.

Harry nodded. He didn't like to think of what his daughter was up to with Andrew, but he trusted her judgment and knew that Andrew was a good bloke.

Currently, they were lying on the sofa together, snogging quite heatedly.

There was a movie playing on the television, but they hadn't paid much attention to it.

"Andrew," she murmured as she ran her fingers through his dark hair. "Do that again..."

Andrew cupped her breast in his hand. "This?"

"Uh huh," she breathed.

Andrew kissed her again. "You are so beautiful, Saffron."

"And you're so handsome," she whispered.

"Mmmm, Celestina," Andrew said hiding his smile before he went in for another kiss.

Saffron hit his shoulder. "WHAT?"

"I meant Saffron," Andrew said grinning down at her. "Sorry---"

"You better have done that on purpose," Saffron said.

"You know I did," Andrew said. "I mean, Celestina's about what---65 years old now?"

"And wrinkled," Saffron added.

"And even though you can't carry a tune to save your life," Andrew said tracing his fingers down her arm. "There are no wrinkles on you..."

She giggled. "Not a one."

"But I imagine even when we're old and grey," Andrew said softly. "I'll still love you just the same."

"I'll still love you too," Saffron said, her eyes unexpectedly tearing up at his sweet words.

"Saffy," Andrew said holding her close. "Don't cry."

"I don't mean to," she said, wiping her eyes. "You just always know what to say."

"Not always," Andrew said.

"To me you do," Saffron wrapped her arms around him.

"I'll remind you of what you said next time I stick my foot in my mouth," Andrew said softly.

"Next century maybe," Saffron answered dryly.

"Next week probably," Andrew mused.

"Not a chance," Saffron rested her head on his chest.

Andrew looked over at the clock. "I promised your parents I'd have you home by 11."

"Midnight," Saffron said softly.

"Your dad said eleven, Saffy," Andrew said. "And I rather like being on his good side."

"When did he say eleven?" Saffron asked. "When we went out on Christmas, we were coming in at midnight."

"Let's see," Andrew said. "When I asked him this morning before you came down he specifically said that I was to have you home by 11 and he did that eyebrow thing he does that scares the hell out of me."

Saffron sat up. "I'll ring him and ask for an extra hour."

"Hey," Andrew said. "How about we go back to yours and we'll ask him if we can hang out for awhile before you go to bed? That way, we're still together and your father is still happy. Besides, I know Puddles doesn't like me monopolising your time."

Saffron smiled at him. "All right." she agreed.

"We can floo over," Andrew said after giving her another kiss.

Saffron agreed. "Sounds good."

They arrived back at the mansion and could hear her parents talking in the kitchen. Saffron giggled as Puddles made a beeline for her.

"Hey, Baby!" Saffron cooed.

Puddles barked happily and ran around in circles.

Harry and Hermione came out of the kitchen and laughed at how Puddles was acting.

"Saffy, he actually sat at the front door waiting for you," Hermione told her daughter.

"Awwww," Saffron scooped up the dog and kissed him repeatedly. "He's my baby."

"How was your evening?" Hermione asked.

"We had the best day," Saffron said eagerly. "We went to the London Zoo, and then Andrew made dinner for me!"

"Sounds romantic," Hermione said giving her daughter a hug. "Happy birthday, sweetheart."

"Thanks Mum," Saffron said. "Look what Andrew gave me..." she held out her wrist.

"That's beautiful, Saffy," Hermione said.

"Sounds like you did good," Harry smiled at the younger man.

"Thank you, sir," Andrew smiled back.

"I thought you two wouldn't be back for awhile," Hermione said.

"We thought we'd come back early and spend some time with you guys," Saffron said, shooting a look at her father.

"Actually," Andrew began. "I remembered you wanted her back by eleven, sir..."

"But her curfew is---" Hermione started to say.

"How about we have some cake?" Harry interjected

Hermione shot her husband a look.

"I'll be right back," Saffron said following her father into the kitchen. "Daddy..."

"Hm?" Harry asked.

Saffron couldn't be angry with him though as she looked at him. "Nothing...I just wanted to thank you for the broom."

"You're welcome sweetheart," Harry gave her a hug.

"Did Gran get home okay?" Saffron asked.

"Your mother took her home earlier," Harry nodded.

"I wish she'd move in here with us," Saffron said thoughtfully.

"She wants to be independent," Harry said, putting an arm around his youngest.

"Grandpa would want her here with us so we could look after her," Saffron said.

"He would want your grandmother to be happy," Harry said. "And she's about as happy as she can be, without him."

"I miss him so much," Saffron said. "I just feel like we didn't get enough time with him, Dad."

"Never does," Harry kissed the top of her head.

"Kind of like how you felt when you lost Sirius?" Saffron asked.

"Something like that," Harry answered.

"I wish I could have met him," Saffron said leaning against her father.

"He'd have loved you, all three of you," Harry said, hugging her.

"Even Ethan?" Saffron asked.

Harry laughed. "Even Ethan. How do you like what he gave you for your birthday?"

Saffron's eyes grew large. "I never opened his present!"

"That's nice, Saffy." Harry shook his head.

Saffron walked over to the table and opened the card. "Happy Birthday, Saffy," Saffron read aloud. "You're not that bad for a bratty little sister..."

"At least he's truthful," Andrew joked, coming into the kitchen.

"Shut it you," Saffron said picking up the card again. "Maddie and I wish you a happy birthday and even though you probably won't believe it...I actually picked the present out and not Mads. You once offered something like it to me and I thought it was the least I could do. Love, Ethan, Maddie and Blue..."

Saffron grinned and set the card down before opening up the present. Inside was a beautiful Gryffindor blanket. "A new blankie..."

Harry laughed. "I can't believe he remembers that."

Saffron looked at her mother. "Do you think it's too late to ring him?"

"I doubt he'd mind," Hermione smiled at her.

Saffron grinned and reached into her bag for her mobile.

"Hello?" Ethan's voice said on the line.

"Thanks for the blankie," Saffron giggled.

Ethan laughed. "You liked it, then?"

"Reminds me of when you were heading off to Hogwarts," Saffron said. "And I would hide your things."

"Back when you liked having me around," Ethan teased.

"Once upon a time," Saffron joked. "But thanks Ethan. I love it! And did you hear what Dad got me?"

"He hid it at our place," Ethan said. "Do you know how hard it was not to take it out for a go myself?"

"It's amazing," Saffron said. "I barely pulled up on it and we shot straight up into the air."

"I'm getting one when they go on the market," Ethan vowed.

Saffron had had such a good day, she was feeling quite charitable. "If you come over tomorrow I'll let you take mine out for a ride." she offered.

Ethan was silent for a few moments. "Excuse me--am I talking to Saffron Grace Potter?"

"Shut up," Saffron laughed. "Are you coming over then?"

"Ring me when you get back from your lunch with Jules," Ethan promised. "Happy Birthday, brat."

"Thanks, bigger brat," Saffron replied. "Say hi to Maddie for me."

"Will do," Ethan said. "Night, Saffy."

"Night," Saffron clicked off her phone. "Ethan’s coming over to test the broom tomorrow," she told her parents.

"You've mellowed in your old age," Hermione teased.

"Yes, I feel my bones creaking," Saffron deadpanned.

"You don't look a day over sixty," Andrew joked.

Saffron elbowed him in the side.

"Ow," Andrew said wincing. "Sorry..."

"I think your dad and I will head to bed," Hermione said. "Andrew, we'll see you soon, I'm sure?"

"Yes, ma'am," Andrew said. "Thanks for letting me come over, Minister."

"Andrew," Hermione shook her head. "How many times do I have to tell you to call me Hermione?"

"You can still call me Mister Potter," Harry said doing the eyebrow thing again.

"Daddy!" Saffron exclaimed.

"You know I did defeat the---" Harry started to say.

"You can call him Harry," Hermione told Andrew.

"Yes M-- Hermione," Andrew said. "You both have a good night."

Hermione smiled. "Good night, Andrew. And Happy Birthday again, Saffy."

"Thanks mum," Saffron replied as her parents left the kitchen. She and Andrew headed back into the sitting room, Puddles at their heels.

"This has been a great day," Saffron said settling down beside him on the sofa.

"Yeah it has," Andrew put his arm around her.

"McDreamy," Saffron cooed.

"Saffy..." Andrew was embarrassed. "Come on, that's such rubbish."

"I think you are," Saffron said.

"I guess it's okay if you think so," Andrew leaned in and kissed her.

"Thank you for today," Saffron said softly.

He smiled at her. "You're welcome. I'd have done anything you wanted, just to spend the day with you."

"Absolutely perfect," Saffron whispered.

"I love you," Andrew said in a low voice.

"I love you," Saffron said. "Always."

"Same here," he agreed, kissing her again.

Saffron closed her eyes and felt happier than she could ever remember feeling in her entire life. She hoped that they would always be like this.

Week 14: Gabriel and Alexa

Heaven: I don't think we've ever had THIS many questions before. People are sure excited about Gabriel and Alexa finally getting together!

Amynoelle: Well, not everyone....

Heaven: No, not everyone. But we had a lot of excited readers!

Amynoelle: We certainly did. And although this is Gabriel's first interview with us, Alexa is an old pro. This is her second one.

Heaven: Right! I hope she's prepared for this onslaught!

Amynoelle: I'm sure she will be. Look! Here they come...and he really does look like Seamus!

Heaven: He's way hotter than even I thought he'd be...

Amynoelle: Down, girl.

Heaven: Right. Sean Biggerstaff, Sean Biggerstaff...

Amynoelle: Hi, Gabe. Hi, Alexa. We're glad you could stop by for an interview!

Alexa: Thanks for inviting me again!

Gabriel: And for finally inviting me...I was beginning to think you two didn't want to talk to me.

Heaven: Nonsense! We just were waiting for this week... *grins*

Amynoelle: Um, Gabriel...you wouldn't happen to know Jude Law, do you? I only ask because your dad is this big-time movie director and Lavender was going to give me his number, but she completely forgot....

Heaven: Amy wants to apply for his nanny position.

Gabriel: I haven't met him, I'm sorry.

Amynoelle: Ah, it was worth a shot. And I'd be happy with the nanny position if anyone knows where I can apply....

Gabriel: I have met a few actors. My dad had someone over to the house the other night. What was his name---Sean Biggerstaff...?

Heaven: GIVE ME HIS NUMBER! Er... sorry. I get a little hyper when people speak hot Scottish male to me.

Alexa: *Shares a look with Gabe* Perhaps we should get to the questions?

Amynoelle: Right. Our first question comes from a reader named katy. She wants to ask Gabriel if he likes being in America or England better and what was his first impression of Alexa?

Gabriel: I like England a lot, especially now. But America's my home, and probably always will be. And my first impression of Lex? I thought she was the prettiest girl I'd ever seen.

Alexa: *Blushes* Gabe....

Amynoelle: Katy's questions for you Alexa were what do you think it would like if you want to the same college as Gabe? What would happen? And what was your first impression of Gabe?

Alexa: I really want to go to the same school as Gabe. It'd be nice for us to see each other as often as we wanted. And I thought he was very handsome, but my first impression wasn't a romantic one, seeing as how I was still with RJ.

Heaven: Alexa, coolman wants to know if you DO go live in the US, what will your living arrangements be?

Alexa: I would live in the dorms. Gabe and I aren't going to move in together or anything like that! My parents are just getting used to the idea of me going to school in the States.

Amynoelle: Alexa, coolman has another question for you. Besides RJ and Gabe, you've had two other guys--Ewan and Ben---show interest in you. How do you feel about being such a fanciable girl?

Alexa: *blushes* I never thought of myself that way, really.

Gabriel: You're a great girl, Lexie.

Heaven: Aww! You two are so sweet together, really! Amy, don't give me that look!

Amynoelle: What? I wasn't giving you any kind of look.

Heaven: My bad. dysfunctionalspirit wants to know; now that you are together do you think that you'll be using the floo network more often to visit each other?

Alexa: We can't really use it while we're in school, but we'll probably use it during holidays, of course.

Amynoelle: I was surprised we didn't get a lot of questions about your father, Gabe. The dynamic between the two of you has changed so much since that first meeting. One reader--ProngsHoof--wants to know how you pictured your father when you were younger. Was it always anger for his not being there?

Gabriel: I didn't really think about my father that much, to be honest. My mother always kept me really occupied and she was amazing. She was both parents to me.

Amynoelle: Did you ever ask about him?

Gabriel: A few times, yeah. But my mom always evaded the question. I got more curious as I got older.

Amynoelle: Your relationship with your dad has really changed. You started out being...

Gabriel: A bit of a jerk?

Heaven: Well, we don't like mincing words... but yeah.

Gabriel: I was angry, really angry. I was still upset over my mom's death and I projected that at him. It really wasn't fair, and I know that now.

Amynoelle: And had he known, he would have been there for you.

Heaven: I'm sure he would have. Alexa, NickParker wants to know, Do you think your new relationship with Gabriel could ever evolve into something as serious as your past relationship with RJ?

Alexa: It's still early days for us, but we're taking things one day at a time. RJ was my first love.

Amynoelle: NickParker brought that up, too. RJ was your first love. Do you think you'll ever be completely over him?

Alexa: Part of me will always care about RJ, to be truthful. But I'm not in love with him anymore.

Amynoelle: Not even just a little bit?

Alexa: I really don't have those feelings for him anymore...

Amynoelle: *frowns* Oh...

Heaven: There, there... Gabe, Lillian Potter wants to know how did you feel about your first kiss with Alexa?

Gabriel: I knew she was with RJ and I'm not the type of guy who goes after another guy's girl.

Amynoelle: *Coughs*

Gabriel: *Stares quizzically at her before continuing* But we were working at the bakery together and I just couldn't help myself. It was amazing.

Heaven: I thought it was very sweet...

Amynoelle: Potterchick958 wants to ask Alexa if you think that you and RJ will be able to become friends or even be able to talk to each other without some awkwardness with all your history? In the end, do you forgive him? And do you feel like you needed to apologise to him for your kissing Gabe when you were still with RJ?

Alexa: I did feel like I needed to apologise. I consciously kissed him back, it wasn't like I was under a potion or anything like RJ was when Christina drugged him. And I don't know if we'll ever really get to be friends. I hope so. He really is a good bloke.

Heaven: He's really shaped up recently, hasn't he?

Amynoelle: He's been spending more time with his family and he's becoming good friends with a much more grounded team-mate. And he ditched that tramp...

Alexa: Well, I knew that he and Serena had broken things off, but I didn't know the other things. That's great though. I'm very happy for him and wish him nothing but the best.

Heaven: That's really sweet of you Lex. We have another great question from coolman here- You were 'getting over RJ' for quite some time. How did you know that it was the right time to get together with Gabe?

Alexa: I didn't want to rush into a relationship so soon after what happened with RJ. Gabe and I wrote to each other and we really started to know each other better. It just sort of built from there and I just felt that it was time to move on. I can't pinpoint a time, really. I just felt it.

Gabriel: So did I *grins*

Heaven: Woohoo! Poison has a similar sort of question- Lex, did you think it wasn’t possible to be happy with another guy again after R.J and what was it that made you fall deep for Gabe?

Alexa: I was a little gun-shy, especially after what happened, but Gabriel is just this amazing boy who just listens and he gets me. We can talk about anything and everything.

Amynoelle: Christina wants to know if there was a time when you were single, Alexa, and RJ wanted to be with you, would you give him a chance and be with him again?

Alexa: I don't want to play what-ifs. I'm with Gabe now. I don't know what the future holds, but I hope that I'll be happy. I hope that Gabe will be happy and RJ, too.

Heaven: Speaking of exes, Gabriel, Miss Izzy wants to know what happened with Emily?

Gabriel: Emily was my first serious girlfriend and I really cared about her. My grandmother always told me that you see someone's true character when the chips are down and that's what happened when my mom got sick. Emily resented me spending time with my mom and neglecting her. A few weeks ago, she tried to see if I wanted to start things back up, but I wasn't ready to go through that again.

Heaven: You had something better waiting for you here. *grins*

Amynoelle: We had some questions about distance for you both. Both coolman and manderjean had similar questions. Gabe, manderjean wants to know if you think it will be hard to have a long distance relationship with Alexa since she's in another country? And coolman wants to ask both of you how do you plan to tackle this obstacle since distance played a part in your break up with RJ, Alexa.

Gabriel: It might be hard, but we plan to write as much as possible. And my dad's going to see about trying to get me to Hogsmeade, that village by her school. We'll do what we can to see each other as much as possible.

Alexa: Absolutely.

Amynoelle: Alexa, natalie wants to know what classes you want to take in college and if you still talk to Ben. And also how you feel about how Saffron is acting toward RJ?

Alexa: I wish Saffy would let it go, but I'm not her mother. Everyone knows that you can't make Saffy do anything she doesn't want to do. And I do still see Ben, but he's got a girlfriend now and does his own thing with her. And at University, I'd like to take loads of journalism classes. I really do love to write.

Amynoelle: Natalie also wants to ask Gabe, have you meet Ben? Do you agree that he has feelings for Alexa? And how do you feel about RJ now?

Gabriel: I haven't met Ben yet so I couldn't really say how he feels. And I have no problem with RJ. He and I are probably never going to be friends, but why would we?

Heaven: Unfortunately, RJ's holding a bit of a grudge, but at least you're not letting it get under your skin. Gabriel, Royal Jade wants to know- Where do you see yourself living in the future? Are you going to stay in America or do you think you will move to England?

Gabriel: England's a great place to visit but California is home.

Alexa: I'm hoping to go visit him soon there. I really want to meet his grandparents.

Amynoelle: NickParker wants to know what kind of doctor you want to become, Gabe? Have you decided?

Gabriel: Yeah. I want to work in paediatrics.

Amynoelle: Alexa, Christina wants to know if you go to California, which three people will you miss the most?

Alexa: Easy question. Saffy, of course. And my mum and dad.

Heaven: Good answer- if Saffron reads it she'll be pleased. *laughs* Gabriel... Miss Izzy wants to know - How is it being deliciously sexy?! And the most absolutely perfect boy ever?!

Amynoelle: Saffy would probably argue that it should be Andrew for that title.

Gabriel: *turns red* Deliciously sexy?

Heaven: Well, since you can't be McDreamy, you could be McSexy...

Gabriel: How about we McStop it?

Heaven: *falls over laughing*

Amynoelle: *Giggles* That's a good one, Gabe!

Alexa: Well I do happen to agree with them. *squeezes Gabriel's hand*

Heaven: Aww! Now I'm starting to give Amy's seal of approval!

Amynoelle: *smiles* Okay, back to the questions. Potterchick958 has this one for Gabe. Alexa already mentioned there being a two-year age gap between the two of you. So when you are in med school, and even further down the line, when you are an intern and then a resident, how will you have time to spend time with her? She won't be going to med school, so you'll have two different schedules. How will you handle that?

Gabriel: I'm not sure yet. It seems a bit far off at this point to really worry about. Hopefully, if she's going to school there in California, we'll be able to work something out to see one another whenever possible.

Heaven: I'm sure you two will make things work, if this is all really meant to be. Gabe, coolman has another question for you. What was your reaction when Alexa wrote to you about RJ lying about using protection?

Gabriel: I thought it was a really crappy thing to do. You don't lie about things like that; no matter how caught up in the moment you are.

Amynoelle: Even I will admit that he shouldn't have lied about that. But I think we can all agree that had things turned out differently, he would have been there for you and the baby, Alexa.

Heaven: I'm sure things would have been a lot different. And that brings up another question from coolman. How would you have approached Alexa if she was pregnant and RJ had dumped her?

Gabriel: I would have continued to be her friend and helped her in any way I could.

Amynoelle: AlextheDevil wants to know what you think RJ's reaction will be when he finds out about your new relationship, Alexa? And are you worried about what he'll say or do?

Alexa: I'm sure he already knows, and he probably won't be happy... but it's not like I was going to sit around and pine for him- not anymore. And as far as what he says or does... I guess there really isn't anything he COULD say or do that would make any difference to my relationship with Gabe.

Amynoelle: This is another one from coolman. Since you live so far away from each other, letters that you write to each other take a lot of importance. Please tell us what you share with each other.

Gabriel: Well, we talk about how school is going for each of us. And sometimes, Lexie will send me a short story she's written or a poem. I'll tell her the things that my best friend Nico has done and I'll tell her about my grandparents. It's all the things we'd say to each other if we could talk on the phone.

Alexa: I wish I could ring you during the school year...

Gabriel: Or e-mail.

Amynoelle: We know that a lot of these questions had to do with RJ, Alexa. We hope that's not too uncomfortable for you, but you've stated that you'd like to be his friend. Given that, manderjean wants to know if you'll be comfortable if he finds another girlfriend? Would you be friends with her?

Alexa: I only want him to be happy and I hope he wishes the same for me. If he finds someone else and I had the chance to meet her, I'd be nice because I don't begrudge him any happiness.

Gabriel: I'd be his friend if he let me. I really don't have any hard feelings towards him.

Heaven: That's really nice of you Gabe. I bet if RJ settled down, he'd realise you aren't a bad guy at all. I mean, he really is a nice guy too.

Amynoelle: He really is.

Heaven: Alexa, I have another question from coolman, and just let me know if it's too personal. When you went to make up with RJ things seemed to be going well for a while. What was your immediate reaction when you saw Serena? \

Alexa: I felt like I'd been kicked in the stomach. I went over to RJ's to have a serious talk about our relationship and there she was. I knew she was after him and I knew she'd stop at nothing to get him and seeing her there...like that...it hurt me more than I could ever tell you.

Heaven: It was really sort of sudden... she really wormed her way in there. Coolman also wants to know what role your parents have played after your break up with RJ?

Alexa: They were so supportive. Especially when I went to my mum that day I saw him and Serena together. That was probably the worst day.

Amynoelle: NickParker and coolman have similar questions. Gabriel, I have to whisper this one in your ear. If that's okay?

Gabriel: Uh... sure...

Amynoelle: *whispers in his ear* Nod or shake your head for this question. First off, coolman wants to know if you love Alexa?

Gabriel: *Nods his head*

Amynoelle: *whispers* Now that you're classifying your feelings as "love", NickParker wants to know if you could see yourself marrying her, raising a family with her, growing old together?

Gabriel: *Nods and smiles*

Alexa: Why do you have to whisper to him?

Amynoelle: I was told that was how to ask the questions.

Alexa: Oh...okay.

Amynoelle: One last question for you, Gabriel from Lillian Potter. How does it feel knowing your dad?

Gabriel: I love knowing my dad. He's a great guy, and my stepmother is fantastic as well.

Amynoelle: Well, I think that about does it for the reader questions. We really had quite a selection to choose from this time around. We really appreciate you taking the time to sit down with us.

Alexa: It was nice talking to you both again! Saffron says hello, by the way, and wants to be interviewed again soon!

Amynoelle: I imagine she does! We'd love to talk to her again!

Heaven: Saffron rules! We should get her and Andrew here together.

Amynoelle: We'll have to see when they could fit us in.

Gabriel: Good night, ladies. This was fun.

Heaven: Bye Gabe. Stay hot!

Amynoelle: Stay hot? How objective was that?

Heaven: *shrugs* I can't help that he's good looking! *grins*

Amynoelle: I guess I wasn't very professional asking him about Jude Law and I guess I wasn't that objective about RJ. So, I guess we're even.

Heaven: It's okay you asked him about Jude. After all, I practically forced Jules to give me Oliver Wood's mobile, remember? He's so hot too...

Amynoelle: *laughs* Do we need to have someone come in here and hose you down?

Heaven: *fans self* no... I'm okay. I'll just open a window. That's better! So, do you think people will like talking to Mia and Hannah next week?

Amynoelle: I think they will. We've almost done everyone. Do you think we could have Mimi and Beth one week? They could give us the inside scoop, too.

Heaven: I think Beth might kill me if she knew I had Oliver's phone number...

Amynoelle: Probably wouldn't be pretty....

Heaven: Well she IS going out with a certain guy now... one I don't think many people would see her going with.

Amynoelle: She is?

Heaven: *nods and whispers name*

Amynoelle: Ooooooooh!

169. 169- and dont' forget Mia and Hannah questions!

We do hope you will enjoy this chapter- a long awaited double wedding ;) Also, please remember your questions for Mia and Hannah for Saturday’s interview. This will be the last interview for the time being.

Also, please forgive us for the cliffie. We love being evil ;)

"Do you really think he'll show up?" Darla asked her sister anxiously. "I mean, I know we've been fighting, but it's over silly things, not anything big."

"Dar, relax..." Drew said. "Hans will be here. Do you want me to send someone out to make sure?"

"No," Darla replied, starting to pace again.

"You could get dressed, sweetheart," Luna suggested.

"And you can sit down so we can do your hair," Maddie pointed out. "Come on Dar... Hans loves you. He wouldn't have proposed if he didn’t."

Saffron cuddled Chloe in her arms. "And I'm happy I get to hold her all day, Drew. She's adorable."

"Thanks for taking care of her for me Saffy," Drew said appreciatively.

"It's my pleasure," Saffron said making a goofy face at the baby.

"She's good for you," Drew smiled at her daughter.

"That's because I have a way with all people---old , young..." Saffron said proudly.

"And she's so modest too," Maddie teased.

Drew laughed. "I just wish you'd let me pay you something, Saffy."

"I'm not taking any money," Saffron said. "I get to spend all day with her. I should be paying you."

Drew laughed again. "Come on Dar. We should get into our dresses."

"Right," Darla said trying to muster some enthusiasm. She was really worried about whether or not he'd show up.

"Come on," Drew said. "Dar... relax. It's our wedding day. It's going to be perfect."

"Perfect," Darla nodded. "Of course."

"I'm going to go and check on your father," Luna said. "Last time I checked, he was hugging Caroline and Emma and telling them to never get married."

"I'm going to take Chloe to go visit her daddy," Saffron said. "And I'll see if her soon to be uncle is hanging around."

"Thanks," Darla said gratefully.

"Come on gorgeous," Saffron kissed Chloe's forehead. "Let's go see what those guys are up to..."

She headed down the corridor to the room where they were getting ready and knocked on the door.

RJ opened the door. "Saffron."

Saffron sighed. "Brian here?" she asked coolly, determined not to make a scene.

"Yeah," RJ said standing back to let her inside. "Hans isn't though."

"He's not?" Saffron asked incredulously.

Brian came forward. "Hey, Saffy. And there's my girl!"

"Chloe wanted to see you," Saffron smiled at him.

Brian took the baby in his arms and placed a kiss on her soft cheek. "My sweet girl."

Chloe cooed up at him, waving her little fist in the air. "So Hans isn't here yet?" Saffron asked.

Brian frowned. "No, but he's always late. I'm sure he'll be here."

"I hope so," Saffron replied. "Darla's in a bit of a fret because they fought last night."

"Again?" RJ asked. "Bloody hell..."

"It's never over anything serious," Brian downplayed it.

"I suppose not," Saffron said. "I mean, obviously if they're getting married today, things will turn out just right."

"Exactly," Brian said. "Now Chloe, you be a good girl for Auntie Saffy."

"She'll be just perfect," Saffron gladly took the infant again.

"I'm going to go and get some shots of the altar," RJ said picking up his camera.

"Thanks mate," Brian said. "I really appreciate you helping us out here."

"Wait until you get my bill," RJ joked.

"It'll be worth every penny," Brian grinned at him.

Saffron reluctantly followed RJ out of the room.

"Chloe Hope McGregor, you are going to be the prettiest baby here," Saffron said to the smiling baby.

RJ smiled at his niece. "Mind if I get a shot?" he asked. "For the album?"

"I suppose," Saffron said quietly.

"Smile?" he said before snapping the photo.

Saffron smiled and held Chloe up.

"Hi, Saffy," someone said from behind RJ. "Your dad was looking----RJ."

RJ spun around at her voice. "Lexie?"

"Hi," Alexa said nervously. She looked past him. "Saffron, your dad was looking for you."

"Okay," Saffron said. "Thanks Lex." she smiled at her best friend before heading off down the corridor.

"Drew invited me," Alexa explained after an awkward silence. "Um, my mum sort of made the wedding cake."

"I bet that'll taste great," RJ said. "You um... you look really nice, Lex."

"Thanks," Alexa said softly. "You, too. And congratulations on your win."

"Thanks," RJ said. "It's nice to have a bit of time off now."

This was a little too bizarre for Alexa talking to him like he was an acquaintance she hadn't seen for years. "It's nice to see you taking pictures again."

"Yeah I've sort of picked it back up," RJ said. "It's the camera you gave me..."

Alexa smiled at him. "I'm glad you're using it again."

RJ nodded. "So um... what's--" his words were cut off when Gabriel came up beside Alexa.

"Lexie," Gabriel said tapping her on the shoulder.

Alexa turned around. "Oh...um, right. I guess I should be getting back."

RJ didn't say anything, only gave Gabriel a dirty look.

"I guess I'll see you in there," Alexa said. "Take care, RJ."

"Lexie?" RJ asked her.

"Yeah?" Alexa turned back around.

"You really do look beautiful," RJ said softly.

Alexa smiled, a bit sadly. "Thanks."

RJ walked past them and into the church. He saw his brother and motioned for Josh to come over.

"Any sign of him?" RJ whispered.

"Nope," Josh shook his head. "I wonder what's going on."

"Thirty minutes until the start of this thing," RJ muttered. "This doesn't look good, Josh."

"He'd better show," Josh said grimly.

"Should we tell Dad?" RJ asked.

"Are you out of your mind?" Jon asked, joining them. "He's already emo enough as it is over this."

"Emo?" Josh looked at his twin. "What sort of slang is that?"

"Sorry, I guess I picked it up from the pub," Jon said. "Emotional."

"Oh," Josh replied. "Well maybe one of us should ring him... or possibly go over to his place?"

"I vote you," RJ said grinning at him.

"Gee thanks," Josh said sarcastically.

"Junior's right," Jon said. "Apparate over there and make sure the poor sod isn't hung over."

"Fine," Josh said, pulling out his wand. "You make sure Dar doesn't know he's not here."

Jon nodded. "We won't."

"We should go find Saffron," RJ replied. "She said Darla sent her to look for him."

"I'll cut her off at the pass," Jon said. He said a silent prayer that Hans showed up today. If he didn't, he'd better have plans to move to some deserted island and change his name.

The groom-to-be was trying to leave. Hans had overslept and he was presently running around his flat looking for his shoes when he heard a knock on the door.

"Just a bloody minute!" he said in an annoyed tone.

On the other side of the door Billie Flannery wiped at her eyes. Hans stared at her in disbelief. "Hi," she sobbed.

"Hi..." he said. "What are you doing here?"

"I can't let you do this," Billie said stepping into his flat. He had never seen her like this. She'd always been one to wear the latest fashions and she never left the house without her face on, but today, she wore sweats and an old ratty jumper. Her hair was pulled back into a sloppy ponytail. "You can't get married, Hans."

"Billie..." Hans shook his head. "We're over. We've been over."

"But w-we can s-start over," Billie stammered.

"I'm in love with Darla," Hans said.

This caused her to sob even more. Awkwardly, Hans patted her shoulder. "I don't know what's got into me," she tried to explain. "When I heard you were engaged, it just got me thinking about what could have been..."

"We could have had it," Hans said. "But.... I'm sorry; I'm just not in love with you anymore."

"Hans--" she started to protest.

"I can't do this," Hans said. "Not to her. I'm going to spend the rest of my life with her, Billie."

There was another knock on the door and Hans sighed. "Excuse me..."

Hans yanked open the door. "What?" he snapped.

Josh held up his hands. "Easy, mate. Just wanted to make sure that you know you were---"

His voice trailed off as he caught sight of the girl standing behind Hans.

"Josh," Hans said, a bit relieved. "I'm on my way, I swear.... I just had a visitor."

"I can see that," Josh said angrily grabbing Hans by the collar.

"Wait!" Hans tried to fend him off. "It's not what you think!"

"My baby sister is at that church worried about you and you're here with some girl!" Josh roared.

"Wait!" Billie exclaimed. "Don't hurt him! He hasn't done anything wrong!"

Josh glared at her coldly.

"I'm his ex," Billie tried to explain. "I came over here to try and get him to give me another chance."

"And I turned her down," Hans continued struggling to get his breath. "Josh---"

"Sorry," Josh let him go.

"Thanks," Hans said. "Now, if you two don't mind...I really need to get to the church."

"Hans..." Billie said softly.

"Billie," Hans said gently. "I'm getting married."

Billie's eyes were flooded with tears and for a moment, Hans felt bad for his ex.

"I'm sorry," Hans said giving her a hug.

"Me too," Billie sniffled. "She's a lucky girl."

"I'm the lucky one," Hans said. "I hope you'll be happy, Billie."

"Thanks," Billie didn't even look at either of them as she left.

"Finally," Hans sighed.

"Ten minutes," Josh reminded him.

"I'm ready," Hans said, finally spying his shoes.

"About bloody time," Josh said. "Come on then."

"I didn't mean to keep everyone waiting," Hans told him.

"Dar's already on edge enough as it is," Josh pointed out.

"I'm sorry!" Hans said. "I love your sister and I'd never purposely do this to her."

"You'd better not," Josh said. "Weasleys look out for each other and I'm sure you know that you hurt one of us...."

"I hurt you all," Hans finished. "Yeah I know that."

"You remember that and you'll do just fine," Josh said.

In her dressing room, Darla smiled as Maddie helped her with her veil. "Mads, I am getting married."

"Yes you are," Maddie smiled at her older sister. "I'm so happy for you and Drew."

"I'm so happy," Darla said, her earlier nervousness forgotten.

Maddie set the veil over Darla's hair. "You look perfect."

"Thanks, Maddie," Darla said softly.

"Let's get this show on the road," Drew said grinning at her.

"I really hope he made it," Darla felt her nerves start up again.

"You know he did," Drew reassured her. "He wouldn't miss this, Dar."

Darla nodded, clutching onto her bouquet.

"You both look so gorgeous," Maddie smiled at them. "I don't even think I looked this beautiful."

"Are you kidding me?" Drew asked her. "Maddie..."

"You're fishing for compliments," Darla said.

Maddie laughed. "Not me...."

Her words were cut off with a knock on the door.

"Are you girls decent?" Ron called out.

"Yes Daddy," Maddie answered for them.

Ron opened the door and the smile on his face froze when he saw his twin daughters.

"Uh oh," Maddie said. "He's got that look on his face."

"Dad don't cry," Drew begged. "Or we'll start..."

"You...you girls look beautiful," Ron said in a choked voice.

Darla walked over to him and handed him a handkerchief. "You're not really losing us, Daddy. You're gaining two extra sons, really."

"I've been dreading this day my whole life," Ron replied. "I'm so proud of all three of you girls."

Drew grinned at him. "And we'll always be your girls, Daddy. No matter what."

Ron smiled. "I'm glad you're all happy. That's all your mum and I could ask for."

"We are," Drew said looking at her sister. "Right, Dar?"

Darla nodded. "We are," she echoed softly.

RJ came back into the room carrying his camera. "They're just about ready for you guys. But I thought I'd get a photo of the father of the bride and his daughters. Ready to pose, Pops?"

"In just a few minutes, you'll be the only unmarried one, Junior." Drew teased him.

"The only sane one left in the family," RJ countered with a grin.

"Did you see Hans?" Darla asked anxiously.

RJ smiled at his sister. "He's present and accounted for.”

Darla let out a sigh of relief. "Thanks RJ."

"No problem," RJ said. "Now, how about that photo?"

"You two pose with Dad," Maddie told her sisters. "I'll be in the next one."

Ron stood between his two daughters and found it very hard not to cry.

"Smile Dad," RJ focused his camera. "It's really not the end of the world."

"Think about that cake and all the food you'll eat at the reception," Drew whispered to him.

"You're not playing fair now," Ron smiled at her.

RJ took a couple of shots of them before motioning for Maddie to join the group.

"Stand right there," RJ directed his sister.

Maddie stood on the other side of Drew and smiled as she remembered how the three of them used to play dress up and talk about their weddings someday. She couldn't be happier for her sisters.

Just outside the room, Caroline and Emma stood in their blue flower girl dresses waiting to walk down the aisle. Emma felt she was an old pro at this having done this at Maddie's wedding.

"Em wants to see Gabey," she told her sister.

Caroline giggled. "Em, you'll see him in just a minute. We have to wait for Aunt Drew and Aunt Darla and Grandpa."

"Oh," Emma said. "Where's Adam?"

"With Mummy," Caroline replied.

"I want to see him," Emma said.

Luckily, the others came out of the room and Caroline smiled at her aunts. "I don't which of your dresses I like bestest!"

"Thanks Caroline," Drew said. "You and Emma look beautiful!"

"I love being a flower girl," Caroline said as Emma twirled in her dress.

"Gampa!" Emma squealed.

"There's my Em," Ron grinned at her. "My partner in crime at the dinner table."

"I better get out front so I can get some shots of you lot walking down the aisle," RJ said to his sisters. "You both look beautiful, by the way."

"Thanks Junior," Darla gave him a hug. "We'll see you up there."

Maddie knelt down. "Caroline, Em. You remember to walk slow and smile pretty."

"Kay, Mad." Emma beamed at her.

"Em, you're first," Caroline whispered.

"Em wants to walk with Sissy," Emma kept her feet planted.

"Em, that's not what---" Caroline started to say.

"It's okay," Drew said. "I think that's a great idea."

"Sorry Aunt Drew," Caroline whispered.

"It's okay," Drew reassured her.

"On the count of three, you two go," Maddie whispered.

"Kay," Caroline said standing before the double doors with Emma. She listened to the count as she heard the music begin to play. When Maddie said three, the doors opened and the small group of friends and family turned to look.

"Come on Em," Caroline whispered nervously.

Emma nodded and walked slowly beside her sister. She beamed at Gabriel.

Gabriel smiled back at her and sent the redhead a wave. "Hi Em," he whispered.

Emma giggled and did a little twirl.

"Em!" Caroline whispered. "Come on!"

"Oh," Emma hurried to catch up to her sister.

Saffron smiled down at Chloe. "Those are your cousins, baby girl."

Chloe blinked at her, waving her tiny hands around.

"She is so sweet," Alexa was completely charmed by the infant. "You're so lucky you get to watch her, Saffy."

Saffron nodded. "It was completely selfish. I wanted to spend all day with her."

Maddie was next down the aisle and she smiled at her husband as she took her place by the altar.

Josh shot Hans a warning look from his seat.

"What did you do?" Brian whispered.

"I'll tell you later," Hans muttered. He wished Josh would stop giving him dirty looks.

Drew wore a strapless white gown with a beaded, embroidered bodice and an organza skirt. She wore a lace veil and carried a bouquet of white flowers. She wore a pair of her mother's pearl earrings. She was positively glowing.

Darla, on the other hand, was wearing a dress held up by two beaded straps, the skirt long and flowing behind her. Luna's favourite diamond earrings dangled from her ears and her bouquet while mainly white also held a mix of tropical blooms.

Ron walked down the aisle with his daughters, his lower lip trembling. He was trying very hard to remain stoic.

"Almost there Daddy," Drew whispered to him.

Ron nodded.

"He's really being overdramatic," Harry whispered to Hermione.

"Stop it," Hermione nudged him. "Those are his girls he's giving away."

"Still being a big baby," Harry muttered.

Hermione glared at him. "See how well you do with Saffron when she gets married."

That shut Harry up and he turned around to see his daughter holding Chloe.

While the congregation was murmuring about the two brides, Hans and Brian were completely dumbstruck as they looked at their respective fiancées.

The vicar smiled at Ron. "Who gives these two women to be married?"

"Her..." Ron coughed. "Their mother and I do..."

Darla and Drew were teary-eyed as they looked adoringly at their father.

"Thanks, Daddy," Darla whispered.

Ron kissed both of them on the cheek before releasing their arms from his.

Drew smiled at Brian. "Hi."

"Hey," he said. "You look amazing..."

"So do you," Drew whispered.

Hans's eyes were glued to Darla as she took his arm. "You're breathtaking," he said softly.

Darla blushed. She was so happy he'd shown up. After the drama of the past couple of months, she'd been afraid he wouldn't.

The vicar began speaking and Ron grabbed Luna's handkerchief and dabbed at his eyes.

Luna leaned against her husband. "It's okay," she whispered. "They're so happy, Ron."

"T-that's w-why I'm c-crying," Ron spluttered.

Luna rubbed his arm comfortingly.

"Darla Isabelle Weasley," the vicar said to Darla. "Do you take Hans Wilhelm Feinbach to be your husband? Will you love him, honour and keep him all the days of your life?"

"I will," Darla said her voice steady as she smiled at him.

"Hans Wilhelm Feinbach," the vicar looked to Hans. "Do you take Darla Isabelle Weasley to be your wife? Will you love her, honour and keep her all the days of your life?"

Hans squeezed her hand. "I will."

The vicar turned to Drew and Brian and had them repeat the same vows.

Maddie held both bouquets as her sisters exchanged rings with their respective fiancés.

"By the power invested in me, I now pronounce you Darla Isabelle and Hans Wilhelm to be husband and wife," the vicar said. "Hans, you may kiss your bride."

Hans didn't waste a moment as he leaned in and pressed his lips to his wife's.

Drew and Brian looked on at the happy couple. Brian though was eager to get his kiss, too. Thankfully, the vicar put him out of his misery.

"And I also pronounce you Drew Meredith and Brian Edward to be husband and wife," the vicar said. "Brian, you may kiss your bride."

Brian also didn't waste any time in kissing Drew. He could hardly believe they were finally married!

The only thing missing in Drew's mind was her firstborn daughter. Tears sprang to her eyes as she thought of the little girl who wouldn't be here to see it.

The vicar didn't notice, only announced the two couples. Brian gently tugged her hands. "Drew?" he asked softly.

"I'm happy," Drew reassured him. "I-I was just thinking of Hope."

"It's okay sweetheart," Brian said, smiling at her.

Saffron came forward with Chloe. "She wanted to be the first to congratulate her mum and dad."

"Thanks Saffy," Brian told her, taking Chloe into his arms.

"I want her back though," Saffron teased.

"Maybe someday," Drew gave the younger girl a hug.

"Congratulations," Saffron whispered.

"Thanks," Drew smiled. "I imagine you'll be one of the next ones."

Saffron laughed. "Not for awhile."

"Take your time," Drew assured her. "Find the right guy."

"I've found him," Saffron said looking to where Andrew was chatting with her parents.

"Then I'm very happy for you," Drew gave her another hug.

Hans picked up Darla and spun her around. "I am the happiest bloke on the planet right now. You know that, right?"

Darla hugged him tightly. "I was so happy to see you up there..."

"Where else would I be?" Hans asked her.

"I don't know," she said, still clinging to him. "We've just been fighting so much over the past month..."

"We always fight," he said rubbing her back. "But we always make up, Dar."

She nodded. "I'm so happy right now."

"Me too," Hans said giving her a kiss.

RJ took a picture of them and started to request that the bridal party get together for a group shot.

"Newlyweds here," Drew sang out happily.

RJ laughed. "Okay, okay...but get together. The longer you delay, the more I add to my tab."

"You're charging your own sisters?" Maddie shook her head.

"Joke, Mad Dog," RJ said motioning for her to get in place.

Saffron joined Alexa and Gabriel. "Drew and Darla look so gorgeous, don't they?"

Alexa nodded her agreement. "I hope I look just like they do when I get married."

"You will," Saffron said nudging her. "Maybe someday you and I can have a double wedding."

Alexa laughed. "We should plan on it."

Saffron smiled at her. "I'm glad you decided to come. I told you it would be fine."

Alexa nodded. "So far, so good..." she leaned against Gabriel, who wrapped his arm around her.

Hermione smiled at her daughter. "Ready to head over to Molly's for the reception?"

"Sure," Saffron said, cuddling Chloe. "I have to get her pram. It's in the other room."

"I'll get it," Gabriel offered. "Be right back."

"Thanks Gabe," Saffron said. She looked at Alexa once he'd gone. "How are things going with him?"

"Fine," Alexa replied.

"Just fine?" Saffron prodded.

Alexa blushed. "Pretty good, actually. We're looking forward to Brighton."

"I'm glad you decided to come," Saffron held Chloe a little bit closer.

"Me too," Alexa said as Emma ran toward her.

"Lexie!"

"Hi Emma!" Alexa scooped up the little girl. "You look so pretty today!"

Emma threw her arms around Alexa's neck. "Em missed you!"

"I missed you too," Alexa gave her a kiss on the cheek.

"Don't go away again, kay?" Emma asked her.

"I'll be around," Alexa promised her.

"Lexie come meet Han," Emma said. "Em's cousin!"

"Where is she?" Alexa asked.

"Over there," Emma pointed to the brown haired girl standing with Will and Frankie.

Alexa grinned. "Okay, Em. Let's go meet your cousin. I heard she was also your best friend."

Emma nodded vigorously. "Like Lexie and Saf!"

"Bestest friends then," Alexa said. "We'll be right back, Saffy."

Saffron made Chloe wave one of her little hands at them and turned to put her in the pram Gabriel had just brought over.

"Here you go," Gabriel said.

"Thanks," Saffron carefully set the infant inside.

"You're great with her," Gabriel said admiringly.

"Thanks," Saffron grinned at him. "She's so sweet. And she's been so quiet all day. I think Chloe McGregor's the happiest baby I've ever cared for."

"This was a really nice wedding," Gabriel commented.

Saffron nodded. "The girls look so gorgeous."

"And happy," Gabriel said.

"Okay, everyone!" Darla announced. "It's time to go to the Burrow. I hope everyone brought their dancing shoes!"

"Em did!" the redhead announced.

Jon chuckled. "Em, you are too much."

"Daddy dance?" Emma asked.

"With you?" Jon asked. "Of course. How could I turn this face down?"

"You can't," Allison joined them. "No one can, right Em?"

Emma giggled. "Uh-uh."

"And maybe her daddy will save one or two for his wife?" Allison asked Jon.

"Always," Jon kissed her.

"Mummy can Em dance with Adam yet?" Emma asked.

"Not yet, sweetheart," Allison told her. "But I'm sure he'd like it if you sang to him again."

"Kay," Emma nodded. "Em sing to him."

Molly engulfed her two granddaughters in a big hug. She was sobbing so hard that whatever she was trying to say was completely unintelligible.

"Nana," Drew said laughing. "I hope those are tears of joy!"

"They are, love, they are." Molly managed. "I just can't believe almost all of Ronald's children are married now..."

"You could work on getting Uncle Fred and Uncle George to settle down finally," Darla said.

"That would be a lost cause," Arthur joked.

"Who'd want them?" Ron asked.

"Ronald!" Molly admonished.

"Mum, it's the truth," Ron said.

"That's where you're wrong, little brother," Fred said. "I happen to have a date for my nieces' reception."

"Who'd date you?" Ron asked.

"Angelina Johnson," Fred said smugly.

"Why?" Ron raised an eyebrow. "She's way too hot for you."

"For your information, she has never gotten over me," Fred said doing an impromptu dance.

"Gross," Ron replied.

"True," Fred corrected.

Ron only shook his head as Luna joined them.

"Feeling better?" she asked.

"Yes," Ron replied. "I'm glad they're happy."

She smiled at her husband. "That's all we can really ask for."

"Let's go eat," Ron said.

"Your favourite part," Luna teased, giving her husband a kiss.

The reception was at the Burrow. Molly, along with Allison's help, had prepared quite a big feast for the couples and their families and friends.

"This all looks fantastic," Hans was saying as he looked around.

"It does," Darla agreed. "Grandpa did most of it with Nana's instructions."

Hans swung her around. "I know I said it before, you look absolutely stunning today."

"Thank you," Darla squealed. "So do you!"

Hans kissed his wife. "I love you so much."

"I love you, too," Darla said happily. "I really was worried that you weren't going to show."

Hans kissed her again. "Come sit down with me for a moment."

"Okay," Darla said taking his hand.

"This morning before I could leave, Billie came by," Hans told her. "She was trying to convince me not to get married."

Darla was silent for a few moments. "Billie? Billie---your ex, Billie?"

"Yeah," Hans said. "I just... I don't want to keep this from you. I don't want to keep anything from you, ever."

"I'm glad you told me," Darla said thoughtfully.

"Nothing could have kept me from being here," Hans said, moving his chair closer.

"I'm glad you chose me," Darla said resting her head on his shoulder.

Hans slid his arms around her. "And you chose me," he added.

"Forever," Darla said softly.

"So," Jon rounded on his twin brother. "Want to tell me what those dirty looks you were shooting at Hans during the ceremony were all about?"

Josh shrugged. "Nothing important."

"Tell me," Jon demanded.

"I went over there and found him with his ex," Josh said quietly.

"WHAT?" Jon asked loudly.

"Easy," Josh hissed. "She was trying to get him to take her back and convince him not to get married."

"Yeah but he showed up, didn't he?" Jon pointed out.

"Yeah," Josh admitted. "And Dar seems happy."

"Dar IS happy," Maddie joined them. "What are you two going on about?"

"Nothing," Jon said. "How you doing, Mad Dog?"

"Fine," Maddie took both their arms in hers. "Be nice to Hans. He's part of our family now. And he really, really loves Darla."

"We'll be nice to him and Brian," Josh promised. "They're official now."

Maddie beamed at both of them. "I'm going to find Ethan," she said. "And steal off his plate."

Jon laughed. "See you, Maddie."

Emma walked across the lawn toward Gabe and pursed her lips at him.

"What's up, Em?" Gabriel asked kneeling down.

"Gabey no talk to Em!" the redhead put her hands on her hips.

"I'm sorry," Gabriel apologised. "What can I do to make up for it?"

"Come eat," Emma took his hand.

Alexa smiled. "Go ahead. I'll catch up with you two in a bit."

Emma held her arms up so Gabriel could pick her up. "Em misses Gabey."

Gabriel grinned at her. "I've missed you, too, Em."

"Come visit Em?" she asked.

"I will," Gabriel promised. "At Brighton."

Emma's whole face brightened. "Help Em with sand?"

"You and me will build the biggest sand castle," Gabriel told her. "Huge, Em."

"Em's excited!" she bounced in his arms.

Gabriel laughed. "Let's go get something to eat, Em. Where do you want to start first?"

"Here," Emma pointed. "We need plates!"

Alexa watched them from a distance. She smiled as she watched her boyfriend with the little girl. Emma was completely enamoured of him.

She still couldn't really believe that Gabriel was her boyfriend now. They'd been writing so much that it almost felt natural to just get together with him once he was there for Easter. And she could hardly wait until they went to Brighton.

"Lexie," RJ said from behind her.

170. 170- Mia/Hannah interview and please read authors note at th

This chapter finishes up the wedding, and for you Gabe/Alexa fans, their farewell until the summer hols. Next chapter… just have some tissues ready, as it deals with a rather sad flashback.

Also, please go here to read a VERY important authors note regarding the Last Dance series!

Alexa turned around. "RJ..."

He smiled at her. "It was a nice wedding, eh?"

"Yes it was," Alexa nodded. "I'm very happy for your sisters."

"Me too," RJ said. "They were teasing me earlier about being the only unmarried one."

"Yes well..." Alexa paused a moment. "You've got plenty of time, RJ."

"I wasn't hinting, Lex," RJ said hastily.

"I know you weren't," Alexa covered quickly.

"I should probably get back to taking photos," RJ said. "Unless..."

"What?" she asked.

RJ shrugged. "Unless you might want to dance?"

"Oh..." Alexa said uncomfortably. "I don't know if that's such a good idea."

RJ tried to hide his disappointment. "Right. Right. I, um, I guess I'll---"

"It's not that I wouldn't want to," Alexa said. "It's just that I'm with Gabe now... and I don't think it would be fair--"

"Just a dance, Lexie," RJ said. "Not as if I'm asking you to marry me. And besides, we're still friends, right?"

Alexa glanced once more at the buffet table. Gabriel was still busy with Emma, helping her fill a plate. "Okay," she agreed quietly. "Once dance couldn't hurt."

RJ grinned and set his camera down. "It's not going to hurt anything at all. I promise I am not going to stomp on your toes."

Alexa smiled back. "If I remember correctly, you're not a bad dancer."

"I didn't want to boast," RJ said as they found a space on the dance floor. Nick had recommended a band that was playing a soft, romantic song.

Alexa kept herself a proper distance from RJ. A few months ago she would have loved doing just this but now it didn't seem as desirable as it once would have been.

"You're awfully quiet," RJ said even though he could guess why.

"This is just a bit strange," Alexa replied.

RJ nodded. "Good strange or bad strange?"

"I'm not sure," she confessed.

He smiled at her. It was awkward, but they'd been through quite a bit. Maybe, just maybe, she'd want to start over. Maybe, she'd be willing to try.

"I've been taking more pictures lately," RJ told her. "Mum used a few shots in last month's issue of the paper."

"Really?" Alexa asked. "That's great, RJ. You were always so good behind the camera."

"I didn't realise how much I missed it," RJ said softly.

"And I think it's lovely that you're doing the photographs today for the wedding," Alexa told him.

"Couldn't really turn my sisters down, could I?" RJ asked with a grin. "I'm scared to death of them."

Alexa laughed. "I'm just happy they invited me today."

"Dar and Drew love you," RJ said. "They wanted you to come."

"I've missed them," Alexa looked away, unable to meet his intense gaze.

"Just them?" RJ asked a hopeful tone to his voice.

"I... I don't know," Alexa said uncomfortably. "I've missed all of you. I got accustomed to being around all the time and..."

"I was a complete idiot," RJ interjected. "I messed up the best thing in my life and I've been miserable, Alexa. I know that I don't deserve a second chance, but I still love you. You are a hard person to get over and I just have to know if there's a chance that you might....well, that you might still love me too?"

Alexa didn't know what to say. She glanced over at Gabriel, who had taken Emma to one of the tables. They were eating and Emma was laughing happily at something Gabriel had said to her. "I... still care about you RJ. But I told you, I'm with Gabe now."

"Boyd," RJ said quietly. "Right."

"Gabriel cares about me," Alexa said softly. "It was a bit step for me, but I really like him too. I'd like you and me to be friends RJ, but that's all."

RJ stopped the dance. "Friends...yeah," RJ said forcing a smile. "That'd be great."

Alexa looked at him. "RJ--"

"I've kept you long enough," RJ said giving her a kiss on the cheek. "I'll see you later."

"Okay..." Alexa replied. "See you later."

A few feet away, Andrew handed his girlfriend a glass of juice. "You know I like it better when you smile, Saffy. That frown doesn't suit you."

"What on earth is she doing?" Saffron ignored her boyfriend's comment.

"None of your concern, Saffy," Andrew reminded her. "He wants to be friends with her. What's so wrong with that?"

"Have you forgotten what he--" Saffron began.

Andrew placed his finger on her lips. "No, I haven't forgotten what he did and when I try to, you keep bringing it up. They're just dancing, Saffy."

Saffron shook her head. "He has ulterior motives. I know it."

"He doesn't," Andrew argued. "While you stew about it, I think I'm going to go and ask Ash if she wants to dance."

Saffron glared at him as he got up and walked away. He just didn't understand, she huffed.

"Brat," Ethan said joining his sister. "What's wrong now?"

"I hate RJ," Saffron complained.

"Still?" Ethan asked.

"I just think he's going to try and win Lex back from Gabriel," Saffron said.

"Saf... you know it's none of your business, right?" Ethan asked. "I risk my life by saying that, but you know it's true."

"Okay," Saffron said. "What would you have done if you'd found out that Sarah had cheated on Justin and they broke up and he was devastated and then she tried to worm her way back in with him? Would you just standby and let him be taken in again?"

Ethan held up his hand. "I understand where you're coming from, but let them handle this, Saf. Alexa's moved on."

"You sounded just like Dad," Saffron said.

Ethan nudged her. "Is that a compliment?"

"Yeah," Saffron replied. She looked up to see Julie walking in their direction. "Professor Malfoy!"

Julie turned, her eyebrows raised.

Saffron giggled, forgetting the drama with Alexa and RJ for a few moments.

"If I was still at Hogwarts, there's no way I'd call her Professor Malfoy," Ethan said boldly. "Jules all the way."

"You'd treat me with the respect of any professor," Julie sat down with her siblings. "Except for Snape. You can say what you like about him."

"Good example you're setting for the brat," Ethan said.

"She is not a brat," Julie stuck up for her sister. "She's perfect."

"And SHE can do magic outside of school now," Saffron said glaring at her brother.

Julie laughed at the look on her brother's face. "You're in trouble now Ethan."

"Brat is a term of endearment," Ethan said quickly.

"Sure it is," Saffron leaned over to check on Chloe, who was sleeping peacefully in her pram.

"Very sweet of you to offer to stay with her all afternoon," Julie said.

"She's so bloody sweet," Saffron said with a grin.

"We used to say that about you," Ethan said with a grin.

"I am still sweet," Saffron informed him. "Just when I want to be."

"When will that be exactly?" Ethan asked looking at his watch.

"Five minutes and thirty three seconds," Saffron retorted.

"Quit giving her such a hard time," Julie ordered.

Ethan spread his hands. "Why is it always two against one?"

"Because life is beautiful," Saffron said.

Ethan rolled his eyes. "I'm going to find my wife. At least she appreciates me."

Drew and Brian came over just as Ethan walked away. "Saffy, you should go and get something to eat. Brian and I wanted to spend some time with Chloe."

"Are you sure?" Saffron asked. "I really don't mind..."

"Saffy," Julie laughed. "They want some family time. You can give her up for a little while."

"You can have her back," Drew promised.

Saffron grinned. "I'll time you guys," she teased.

Julie and Saffron walked away leaving Drew and Brian with their daughter.

"She looks content," Brian said softly.

"Yes she does," Drew lifted her up gently.

Chloe opened her eyes and smacked her lips.

"Hi, sweet girl," Brian whispered.

Chloe focused her eyes on her father and grinned.

"She's like me today," Drew laughed. "I haven't been able to stop smiling at all."

"You sure you're going to be okay with leaving her with your folks for the weekend?" Brian asked her.

"I hope so," Drew said softly.

"We could always take her with us," Brian suggested.

"It's a tempting thought," Drew said. "But I do want our honeymoon to be us..."

"We'll check in often," Brian said.

Drew nodded and passed Chloe over to him. "We're so lucky that she's such a happy baby."

"Yes, we are," Brian said patting Chloe's back.

"And we're finally a real family," Drew leaned against him.

"We always were," Brian told her. "Now it's just official."

"Right," Drew kissed him.

"You've made me so happy," Brian said. "You gave me Chloe, Drew. And she's absolutely perfect."

"I'd have to agree with you on that." Drew touched her daughter's soft cheek. "She's completely perfect. And you gave her to me as well. It was a two part deal, remember?"

Brian chuckled. "Right. I have fond memories of that."

Drew laughed. "We'll make more of those memories this weekend."

"Did you find out where Hans was taking Darla?" Brian asked her.

"He wouldn't say," Brian shook his head. "And I'm glad he finally got here this morning. He told me right before we came in that his ex tried to get him not to show up."

"Obviously he made the right decision," Drew said looking over to where Darla and Hans were dancing.

"I'd say so," Brian looked down at Chloe as her eyes began to close again. "She's awfully sleepy today."

"It's a big day for her," Drew said. "Let's put her back in the pram."

Brian carefully set her down. "When Saffron comes back, we could go sneak off to snog for a little while," he said mischievously.

Drew grinned. "Fabulous idea!"

Alexa had gotten herself something to eat and was sitting down next to Gabriel. "Having fun with Emma?"

"We're having a great time, aren't we, Em?" Gabriel asked the little girl.

Emma nodded happily. "Em go see Adam now, kay?"

"Okay," Gabriel said. "Save me a dance though, okay?"

"Kay!" Emma promised as she climbed off her chair.

Alexa smiled. "She is so sweet."

"She is," Gabriel agreed. "This is some spread, isn't it?"

Alexa nodded. "Beats anything I've ever seen before."

Gabriel cut into his chicken. "Saffy says the Weasleys always go all out for these types of things."

"They do," Alexa nodded. "You saw how it was last year at Ethan and Maddie's wedding."

Gabriel nodded. "So what have you been up to?"

"Just talking to everyone," Alexa leaned against him.

"You haven't seen most of them in quite some time," Gabriel said quietly.

Alexa shook her head. "Not since breaking up with RJ. It was nice of them to include me today."

"I thought it might be a little awkward with me being here with you, but no one's treated me any differently," Gabriel said. "Well, except for RJ."

"I hope he's not being rude--" Alexa began.

Gabriel shook his head. "He's not being rude. He hasn't said anything to me at all, Lexie."

"Okay," Alexa said leaning in to kiss him.

"You do look beautiful today," Gabriel said when they pulled apart.

"Thanks," Alexa blushed. "I hadn't worn this dress in awhile."

"You should wear it more often," Gabriel said grinning at her.

A few feet away, Andrew approached his best friend.

"Saw the two of you dancing," Andrew commented.

RJ nodded. "Yeah."

"Everything okay?" he asked carefully.

RJ looked thoughtfully in Alexa's direction. "Yeah, she's pretty happy with him."

Andrew nodded. "I'm glad to see you're handling it well."

"I might be growing up," RJ joked. "Don't tell anyone."

Andrew laughed. "Not a word."

"Someday maybe she'll trust me again," RJ said. "I screwed up and lost the best thing in my life. And if she wants to be with Boyd, well, that's fine. I don't like it but I can't blame her for moving on."

Andrew clapped him on the shoulder. "Come on I'll buy you a drink."

RJ grinned. "Okay, mate. Lead the way."

While Andrew and RJ headed for the bar, Caroline was showing Hannah a few new dance steps she'd learned. "Turn like this," she directed.

Hannah turned as Caroline instructed. "How's that?"

"Pretty good," Caroline nodded. "You catch on quick!"

Hannah beamed at her. "Thanks, Caroline. I think you should try out for the lead in the recital."

"I was thinking about it," Caroline confessed.

"You should," Hannah said. "You're really good!"

"Maybe I will," Caroline nodded. "I always loved the Swan Princess!"

"Is Katie trying out for it too?" Hannah asked.

"She always tries out," Caroline giggled.

"Tries out for what?" Katie asked joining them.

"The recital," Hannah told her. "I told Caroline she should try out."

Katie laughed. "Caroline can't be the lead!"

"Why can't I?" Caroline asked, slightly hurt.

"You're not as good as me and you're too shy," Katie replied as if the answer was obvious.

"But I dance really good," Caroline bit her lower lip. "And up on stage it doesn't matter as much."

"I suppose you could try out, but don't blame me when you're not picked," Katie said with a shrug.

Caroline had never gotten really angry at Katie before, but this just really seemed to be too much. "Well I don't think you'll get picked, because the Swan Princess is beautiful and nice, and you're not!"

"Caroline---" Katie protested, taken aback.

"Come on Hannah," Caroline said, taking her cousin's hand.

Hannah was silent as she followed her.

Caroline's lower lip trembled as she sat down. "I don't like fighting with my friends but she shouldn't have said that!"

"That wasn't very nice of her," Hannah agreed.

Allison noticed her daughter starting to cry and she crossed the garden to get to her. "Sweetheart, what is it?"

Caroline shook her head. "Katie told me I shouldn't try out for our dance recital because she's better than me and because I'm shy."

Allison took a deep breath and collected her thoughts. She loved Katie like she was one of her own, but sometimes the girl didn't think before she spoke.

"Caroline," Allison said tilting her daughter's chin up to look at her. "You are one of the most talented girls in that class. And you are not shy when you're up there on the stage. If you want to try out, you should try out and you shouldn't let Katie or anyone else stop you, sweetheart."

"Really?" Caroline asked.

"Absolutely," Allison said smiling at her.

"Thanks Mummy," Caroline hugged her tightly. "Hannah thinks I should try out too."

Allison smiled at Hannah. "Hannah's a sweet girl."

Hannah blushed. "Thanks Aunt Allie."

"You're welcome," Allison said. "Now, how would you two feel about getting a sneak preview of my special chocolate cake?"

"Chocolate cake?" both girls asked at the same time.

"Does that mean there's two wedding cakes?" Caroline asked. "Cause Lexie said her mummy made one too."

"It's Caroline and Emma's favourite and I thought I'd make it for them," Allison told Hannah. "But if you two don't want a bite---"

"We do," Caroline said hurriedly. "But we need to find Em."

"She's dancing with your Dad," Allison told her.

"Oh," Caroline replied. "Well we can save her a piece, okay Hannah?"

Hannah nodded eagerly. "Okay."

"What are you three up to?" Frankie joined them. "You look awfully crafty..."

"Chocolate cake run," Caroline told her aunt.

"Oooh," Frankie said. "Can I join you?"

"You want chocolate cake?" Allison asked teasingly. "It's not low-fat, Frankie."

"A sliver of it might be nice," Frankie made a face at her daughter.

Hannah giggled. "I'm having so much fun, Mummy."

"I'm glad, baby," Frankie said. "You know, your dad still wants to dance with you sometime today."

"I know," Hannah said. "I will after we eat."

Frankie smoothed Hannah's long brown hair back out of her eyes. "You look so pretty today sweetheart."

"You do too, Mummy," Hannah said softly.

Frankie scooped her up and twirled her around for a moment.

Hannah giggled happily. "Was it like this at your wedding?"

"Something like that," Frankie replied. "I was just so happy that day. I remember I had a grin on my face the whole time."

"I wish I could have seen it," Hannah said.

"You must have looked at our picture albums a dozen times," Frankie teased her.

"Yeah, but still," Hannah laughed.

"All right," Allison said as they got into the kitchen. "You can't tell anyone about this, especially Ron!"

"We won't," Caroline promised.

Allison got them all slices of the chocolate cake. "Just a sliver, Francesca?" she teased.

"Bigger piece couldn't hurt," Frankie relented.

"I thought so," Allison grinned at her.

"You are the best cook in the family and I can't turn this down," Frankie said.

"Mummy's the bestest," Caroline agreed.

"Caroline's going to try out for the lead in the recital," Hannah told her mother.

"Really?" Frankie asked. "I bet you'll get it, Caroline."

Caroline grinned. "Thanks, Aunt Frankie."

"Katie told her she didn't think she'd get it," Hannah whispered.

Frankie rolled her eyes. "Katie thinks she's the only one who can be the lead."

"She's going to learn when she gets older that she won't always get her way," Allison said softly.

"I didn't mean to get angry with her, but she was really mean," Caroline said.

"It's okay to get angry sometimes, Caroline." Frankie told her niece. "You just don't want to get violent."

Hannah leaned against her mother. "This cake is really yummy."

"Do you want another piece?" Frankie asked.

"Just a small piece," Hannah said.

"Don't tell me Frankie's got you counting calories," Allison teased her.

Hannah shook her head. "No, she's not."

Emma came running into the kitchen with Jon. She looked at her sister and cousin and aunt eating cake and she pouted. "Em want cake too!"

"We were going to save you a piece, Em." Caroline told her sister.

"Come here, you," Allison said. "You can tell me which piece you want."

"That one," Emma pointed to the biggest slice.

"And what about for the handsome, tall redhead?" Jon asked.

Frankie grinned. "Oh, is Josh here?"

"Very funny Francesca," Jon retorted.

Allison smiled at her husband. "Here you go, love. Where's Adam?"

"With my parents," Jon answered. "Mum's trying to keep Dad from outright bawling."

"Grandpa sad?" Emma asked.

Jon nodded. "Just a bit. He's sad that Drew and Darla are married now."

"Why?" Emma asked.

"Because Daddies don't like to let go of their little girls," Jon told her. "I'll be just like him when you two get married and leave me."

"Em no get married," Emma replied. "Stay with Daddy, kay?"

Jon tickled her side. "That's my girl."

Outside, Darla and Hans were finally able to sit down and get a bite to eat. "I feel like I've been on the go the whole day," Darla said with a grin.

"At least you didn't oversleep like I did," Hans said.

"All that matters to me now is that you came," Darla replied.

"I can't wait to get you alone," Hans said with a wink

Darla grinned. "You still haven't told me where we're going on our honeymoon."

"You really want to know?" Hans asked teasingly.

Darla poked him in the shoulder. "Of course I do! Brian's taking Drew up to this gorgeous old bed and breakfast just outside Glasgow... and so now I want to know where we're going..." she gave him her best pouting face.

Hans put his arm around her. "Well, Darla...how would you feel about Fiji?"

"I love Fiji," Darla answered immediately.

"Good," Hans said. "Because we're spending two weeks there."

"TWO WEEKS?" Darla nearly screamed.

Hans laughed. "Two whole weeks of sun, fun, and shagging..."

"Really looking forward to the shagging," Darla commented lustfully.

"Me too," Hans said giving her a kiss.

Darla closed her eyes and put her arms around his neck.

"I love you, Dar," Hans said. "No matter what, never, ever doubt that."

"I won't," Darla promised. "I'm sorry I've been such a pain these last few months. I just wanted today to be perfect."

"We both were on edge," Hans told her.

"It's okay now," Darla rested her head on his shoulder. "We're finally married."

"Forever,” Hans said holding her tightly.

"And ever," Darla added dreamily.

*** *** ***

The day after the wedding, Alexa and Saffron headed back to Hogwarts. Gabriel delayed his own return home so he could say goodbye to his girlfriend.

"Push this with me," Alexa instructed him. "And we'll go straight through the barrier. Andrew will show you how to get back out."

"Um, straight through the barrier?" Gabriel asked incredulously. "Lex---"

"Trust me," she smiled at him. "You do, right?"

"Yes, but that's a brick wall," Gabriel said.

"Just trust me," Alexa gave him a kiss. "Come on..."

Gabriel didn't have a very good feeling about this, but he did trust her. He closed his eyes and held on to the trolley.

"One... two... three..." Alexa pushed it forward and through the barrier. "Gabe..."

Gabriel braced himself for a hit that never came. When he opened his eyes, he was surprised to see that they had actually gone through the wall and were on another platform. "Whoa---"

"Since your dad's a wizard, you have a bit of magic in your blood." Alexa told him. "That's why you can get through."

"Just when I think I've seen it all," Gabriel mused.

"I have to put my bags on the train," Alexa said. "Come on."

Gabriel took control of the trolley and followed Alexa through the crowd.

"Lexie!" a blonde girl squealed.

"Hi Mimi," Alexa gave her a hug. "How was your break?"

"It was great," Mimi said her eyes on Gabriel. "Va-va-voom," she whispered in Alexa's ear.

Alexa blushed. "Meems, this is Gabriel."

"Hi," Gabriel said politely. "I've heard a lot about you."

"Nice to meet you as well," Mimi said flirtatiously.

"Down girl," Saffron said coming up behind them with Andrew. "Don't worry, Gabe. She's had her shots."

Gabriel laughed. "Thanks for the notice, Saf."

"I am just really happy to meet him," Mimi said. "And besides, I have Jake."

"I don't think he's had his shots," Saffron deadpanned.

"You haven't changed at all Meems," Andrew said mussing her hair.

Alexa pulled Gabriel away from the group. "This is the train that takes us to the school," she said, pushing her bag into the storage compartment.

"How long a journey is it?" Gabriel asked.

"Quite awhile," Alexa said ruefully. "The school's up in northern Scotland."

"I wish I could go with you," Gabriel said.

"Me too," Alexa said softly. "But at least we don't have that long before we get to see each other again."

"Brighton," Gabriel said putting his arms around her.

"I'm really excited about that," Alexa grinned at him.

"And at least I'll have my finals to keep me preoccupied," Gabriel said thoughtfully.

"And we'll write," Alexa said, touching her forehead to his. "All the time."

"I still wish you could call me," Gabriel said softly.

"I know," she said. "But it'll be okay. We'll both be busy so the time will go by fast." Alexa leaned in and kissed him.

"I'm still going to miss you like crazy," Gabriel said holding her tightly.

"I'll miss you too," Alexa buried her face in his shoulder. "It's different now that we're together."

"Different good?" Gabriel asked.

"Very good," Alexa said. "I missed you before, of course, but now I'll miss you a lot more." she smiled at him.

All around them students scurried to get on the train and Gabriel knew she should go, but he wasn't ready to let her go just yet. "I guess this is goodbye."

"Yeah," she said reluctantly. "Give me a kiss I'll remember."

Gabriel grinned. "No pressure..."

Alexa laughed. "No pressure."

Gabriel leaned in and kissed her. Normally, he wasn't one for public displays of affection, but he couldn't help himself and he wouldn't be seeing her for a few weeks.

Alexa made a satisfied noise in her throat as she boldly deepened the kiss.

Gabriel wasn't sure how long they kissed but he vaguely heard the sound of the train starting to move. He broke away from her reluctantly. "You'd...you'd better hurry."

Alexa hopped up on board. "I'll see you soon Gabe... I'll write to you tonight!"

Gabriel waved at her. "Bye, Lexie!"

Andrew came up behind him. "Ready to go?"

"Yeah," Gabriel said. "Thanks, Andrew."

"No problem," Andrew said. His goodbye with Saffron hadn't been all that romantic. Things had been a little strained between them since the wedding.

"So um... when do you go back to playing Quidditch?" Gabriel asked.

"Training camp starts in August," Andrew replied. "But we have publicity and things like that in June."

"Cool," Gabriel nodded. "It's a good game to watch."

"Best game ever," Andrew said with a grin.

"I don't even know if I'd play if I was magical," Gabriel said.

"Baseball's more your sport, eh?" Andrew asked.

"I love it," Gabriel said. "My dad got us the best seats."

"Helps to have connections," Andrew said.

"That's true," Gabriel said. "So... everything okay with you and Saffron?"

Andrew shrugged. "We'd be fine if she'd realise that RJ's not a monster."

"I wonder what her deal is with him," Gabriel shook his head. "I mean... Alexa's okay with him now. I think it's cool she's friends with him."

"Saf's known him since they were babies," Andrew said thoughtfully. "And I figure that she's disappointed in him. They've always had this love-hate relationship and for some reason she can't let this go."

"I'm sure it doesn't help that you're stuck in the middle of it." Gabriel said as Andrew showed him how to get back through the barrier.

"No, not at all," Andrew said. "So...how much longer are you here for?"

"Later today," Gabriel said. "I've got finals to prepare for when I get back."

"I don't miss that," Andrew said.

"I've got another seven years ahead of me," Gabriel said with a grin. "The pains of becoming a doctor."

"Not as easy as they make it seem on the telly," Andrew said. "My mum loves this one Muggle show. Never misses it. I think she wishes I'd have become one."

Gabriel smiled. "Definitely not as easy, but also thankfully, not as dramatic."

Andrew looked at his watch. "I hate to do it, but I'm late for brunch with my parents. I'll see you in Brighton."

"All right," Gabriel shook his hand. "Thanks again for helping me out back there."

"No problem," Andrew smiled. "Take care."

"See you," Gabriel waved and then went outside to get himself a taxi.

He made it back to the penthouse a few minutes later and let himself inside. The more time he spent here, the more it felt like home.

"Hey," Seamus smiled at him. "You ready to get back?"

Gabriel nodded. "I'm all packed. You wouldn't be trying to get rid of me?"

"Oh you figured me out," Seamus said dramatically.

"When will you both be back in the States?" Gabriel asked.

"Pretty soon," Seamus said. "I have to finish up some work here and Lav has a fashion show at the end of the week.”

"Good," Gabriel smiled. "I like having you guys around."

"We like having you around," Seamus looked over at his son. "I'm really proud of you Gabe. You're doing so well in school."

"I haven't been this happy in quite some time," Gabriel admitted.

"Hmm..." Seamus teased. "That wouldn't be due to a pretty redhead, now would it?"

Gabriel grinned. "Yeah."

"I'm glad things worked out for you." Seamus said. "And I know Lav is glad she meddled."

"She's not gloated THAT much," Gabriel joked.

"She only gloats to Harry," Seamus pushed some papers to the side of his desk.

"Hard to believe it was just a couple of years ago that we didn't even know about each other," Gabriel commented.

"I know," Seamus nodded. "Feels to me as if you've always been around."

"It was about this time of year that she told me," Gabriel said sitting down on one of the sofas. It wasn't a time that Gabriel cared to remember.

Week 15: Mia and Hannah

Heaven: This is a good pair for this interview, considering it’s the last one we’re going to have for awhile.

Heaven: This is a good pair for this interview, considering it's the last one we're going to have for awhile.

Amynoelle: We're going out on a good note.

Heaven: I imagine we'll pick it back up sooner or later...

Amynoelle: Of course. It's just a little break.

Heaven: They're early! Hi Hannah! Hi Mia!

Mia: Hi. Our parents are just waiting outside for us. If that's okay?

Amynoelle: That's more than okay. We're so happy to have you two here!

Hannah: *shyly* Thank you.

Amynoelle: We have some snacks and juice for you both. We're just going to ask you some questions from our readers and if you don't want to answer anything, just let us know.

Mia: Yummy!

Heaven: I'll start with some of the questions while you two have something to eat.

Hannah: Okay.

Heaven: Hannah- here's an easy one. Coolman wants to know, besides Emma, who is your best friend?

Hannah: Em's my bestest friend, but I have Caroline, Katie and Mia. And my friend Jessica from preschool.

Heaven: We're so glad you have lots of friends now, Hannah.

Hannah: Me, too.

Amynoelle: Mia, this question is for you from toinkydoink. What did you think about Caroline, Emma and everyone else when you first met them?

Mia: I thought they were all really nice! I could tell Caroline was going to be one of my bestest friends right when I met her. And Emma's so funny and outgoing.

Amynoelle: Mia, coolman wants to know how your relationship is with your other cousins (Tim and Mary's children)?

Mia: Marcus is kind of a dork, but he's okay when it's just us. Tim Jr. is really sweet.

Heaven: Does he still watch Teletubbies?

Mia: *giggles* Yes, he does!

Heaven: Those things are freaky! Natalie wants to know, how did it feel to finally get GIRL cousins?

Mia: Very good! Like I said, Tim Junior is really sweet, but Marcus is kind of dorky. I finally had girls to play with and I'm so happy about it!

Amynoelle: Another question from Natalie asks what the two of you would like to be when you grow up?

Mia: I'm not sure yet. Right now, I want to be a dancer, just like Hannah's grandma.

Hannah: Daddy told me I would make a good teacher.

Amynoelle: I think you'd be a great teacher, Hannah. You're very patient, especially with Emma.

Hannah: *blushes* Thanks.

Heaven: Hannah, Royal Jade would like to know- what do you like most about your parents?

Hannah: I like everything about my mummy and daddy. I just feel really safe and I never, ever felt that way before.

Heaven: Hannah... you don't have to answer this if you don't want to- but a LOT of people want to know how you'd feel about having a brother or sister.

Hannah: I don't know. I'm just happy with how things are now.

Heaven: That's totally understandable. Katy wants to know if you're going to move to that harder dance class or not?

Hannah: Probably not. I like being in the same class as Emma. Amynoelle: I heard that you're quite good though, Hannah. Hannah--toinkydoink wanted to know what you thought of the rest of your family aside from Emma and Caroline? Who are you most comfortable with?

Hannah: Mummy, the most. And then Emma. I love having her as my best friend.

Amynoelle: And how about your new grandparents? Theodore and Abbie and Cho and Neville?

Hannah: They're all really nice too. But I'm most comfortable with Mummy.

Amynoelle: Natalie wants to know what your favourite thing to do with your mum?

Hannah: *giggles* I like the advice columns in the magazines.

Amynoelle: Those are cute little scenes when you guys do that! Heaven, should we move on to the "Katie" questions for Mia?

Heaven: Sure! Mia- this is the 'lots of people' question for you. How do you feel when Katie is rude to you? And would you be good friends with her if given the chance?

Mia: Um, well, she's a little better than she used to be. I think she doesn't like the idea of Caroline having any other friends other than her. I'd like to think she is my friend. I can't see why all three of us can't be bestest friends, really.

Hannah: And me and Em too?

Mia: Absolutely, Hannah.

Amynoelle: NicholePotter86 wants to know how you feel when Katie competes with you for Caroline's friendship?

Mia: *shrugs* I don't know. I don't like competing. Caroline can be friends with both of us. But if you ask me, she's starting to get kind of annoyed with Katie when she's mean.

Amynoelle: I Think so, too. Christina wants to know if you feel threatened by Katie because she's known Caroline longer?

Mia: No, not at all. I really don't have anything against Katie. I wish she'd just stop being mean.

Amynoelle: We already asked Hannah about having a brother or sister. But, Mia, Christina also wants to know if you want a sibling? If so, would you like a sister or a brother?

Mia: Sure! I think it'd be fun to have a little sister! Or even a little brother.

Heaven: Mia, Royal Jade, manderjean and coolman want to know what you think of your new cousin Hannah? Were you excited when you found out she was going to live with Will and Frankie?

Mia: *smiles at Hannah* I was. I overheard Mummy and Daddy talking about how Aunt Frankie wasn't sure she wanted to have children, but I knew how great they'd be as parents. Hannah was just perfect for them and I love having her as a cousin. She and I can team up against Marcus!

Hannah: *smiles* We can tease him about the Teletubbies.

Amynoelle: We promise this is the last Katie question for you, Mia. Emma--a reader, not your fellow Princess, wants to know if you think it's hard being friends with Katie when she can sometimes obviously be very mean?

Mia: Sometimes it is, yeah. But being friends with Caroline is worth it. We have a lot of fun together and sometimes Katie isn't so bad.

Heaven: Hannah, how do you like being in the princess club?

Hannah: It's the best! I love being Belle, since she's my favourite. The meetings are fun too. We get dressed up. Amynoelle: Belle's my favourite, too. Hannah, katy wants to know what sorts of things you do with Frankie and Will?

Hannah: They take me to movies, and I read magazines or go shopping with Mummy. Daddy likes to read fairy tales to me and when it's warmer, we're going to plant a garden!

Amynoelle: That sounds like a lot of fun. Molly wants to know what your days at the orphanage were like, Hannah.

Hannah: I didn't like the orphanage. I liked living with Mr. Ron and Luna.

Amynoelle: This is a question for both of you from Molly. Is there anyone you don't like? If so, who?

Hannah: Nobody....

Mia: You won't tell?

Amynoelle: We promise. Right, Heaven?

Heaven: Not a word.

Mia: I know I said I'd like to be Katie's friend... but sometimes when she says mean things to Caroline, I don't like her.

Amynoelle: We can certainly understand that. And also from Molly---is there anyone you do like? Do either of you have a crush on anyone?

Mia: No! Boys are gross!

Hannah: *shakes her head* No way!

Amynoelle: That will change, girls! And we have one more reader question for you Hannah. Coolman wants to know how do you think Frankie and Abbie would interact if they could have met?

Hannah: *thinks* My really mummy would really like Frankie. When I first met her, she reminded me of my real mummy a lot.

Amynoelle: I think she'd be really happy that you have a nice, safe home and parents who love you.

Hannah: I still miss her a lot. But mummy and daddy let me keep pictures of her on my table.

Heaven: And I heard you have a birthday coming up while you're in Brighton!

Hannah: *Nods* I'm going to be five.

Mia: We'll have loads of fun on your birthday, Hannah.

Amynoelle: Happy Early Birthday Hannah!

Heaven: Yes, Happy Birthday!

Hannah: *Blushes* Thanks.

Heaven: Thank you both so much for joining us today.

Mia: It was really fun. Thanks for letting us come over.

Heaven: You are welcome anytime!

Amynoelle: That was a lot of fun.

Heaven: I'll kind of miss the interviews! Especially when they're like that!

Amynoelle: I know...but maybe we'll pick them back up someday.

Heaven: I'm sure we will!

171. 171

For those of you who couldn’t read the note at the orkut group, we have decided to take a brief hiatus from writing this fic. If you want more details, please go sign up there. It’s a great community with lots of discussion- and we’ve even been known to post a cookie or two there ;)

Also, please remember your tissues with this chapter. It starts off with a bit of a tearjerker. As always, please review!!!

***Begin Flashback***

Samantha had been in and out of the hospital for the last few months. The doctors hadn't given her much time and Gabriel spent every waking hour at the hospital despite his mother's pleas that he go to school and try to live as normal a life as possible.

"Hey," Gabriel forced a smile onto his face as he saw his mother open her eyes. He set aside his schoolbooks and leaned over. "Sleep okay?"

She smiled at him. "Off and on..."

"How about some juice?" he asked, reaching for the cup on her bedside table.

Samantha shook her head. "Could you help me sit up, though? I need to talk to you, Gabe."

"Sure," Gabriel pulled up the pillows behind her as he raised the bed.

Samantha looked proudly at him. He reminded her more and more each day of his father. And now that her time was limited, she knew it was time to tell him the truth.

"I-I love you more than anything in my life," Samantha began.

"I love you too Mom," Gabriel said, squeezing her hand gently.

"For the longest time it's been just you and me," Samantha said. "I know that I wasn't able to give you the life that you---"

"It doesn't matter," Gabriel interjected.

"Yes, it does," Samantha said, tears welling up in her eyes.

"Mom..." Gabriel was concerned.

"I've hidden something from you," Samantha said softly.

He was quiet for a moment. "Hidden?" he asked.

"I-I thought it was for the best," Samantha said. "Can you hand me that book on my nightstand, Gabe?"

"Sure," Gabriel eyebrows were knit together in confusion.

Samantha took the book from him and pulled out a photograph. She looked at it for a few moments before she continued with what she had to tell him. "I want to tell you about your father, Gabriel."

"My dad?" Gabriel asked. "I thought... I thought you said he died..."

"Just listen to me," Samantha pleaded.

"I will," Gabriel reached for her hand again.

"I met him at this restaurant I was working at," Samantha told him. "He was older than me, but I just had this feeling about him the first time I met him. The first night we met, we went out for coffee and talked for hours."

Gabriel nodded. "Did you get together right away?" he asked curiously.

"Yeah," Samantha said fondly, as if picturing him in her mind. "He was everything I always wanted, Gabe. And I loved him so much. We moved in together even though your grandpa was dead set against it."

"How come you never told me about this?" Gabriel asked.

Samantha wiped at her eyes. She knew if she didn't continue, she'd never get through it. "We were together for two years and I thought that we'd get married, but he held back...."

Gabriel felt slightly angry at this. "Did he leave you for someone else?"

"He was still very much in love with his ex-girlfriend," Samantha explained. "And he figured this out just as I was...I don't want you to think badly of him, Gabriel. He was a good man."

"He left you when he found out you were pregnant," Gabriel guessed, his jaw tensing.

Samantha shook her head. "He--he didn't know."

"Why didn't you tell him about me?" Gabriel asked. "And who is he? You haven't told me his name."

Samantha felt weak and very tired, but she summoned every ounce of strength she had, handing her son the photograph. "This is him."

Gabriel looked at the photograph, laying his eyes on his father for the very first time. "Mom... this is that director guy..."

Samantha nodded. "You look just like him, Gabriel Seamus Boyd."

Gabriel looked at the photograph for a long moment. "How come you never told me about him? How come you never told him?"

The reasons for it felt so stupid now and Samantha didn't know how she'd be able to explain. "Seamus broke up with me right after I found out and I guess it was my pride that kept me from telling him. I didn't want him to stay with me out of some obligation---"

"Obligation?" Gabriel stood up. "If he's my father he damn well should have been around!"

"Gabriel--" Samantha tried to calm him down, but he waved his hand at her. "He would have been here if he'd known. This was my fault, Gabriel. And I'm so sorry---"

"I just don't get why you couldn't even tell me," Gabriel hated that he was angry at his mother, but he couldn't help it. "All this time I thought my father was dead, and he's been right in the same area!"

"I'm sorry," Samantha repeated, tears streaming down her cheeks. "I made a terrible mistake, Gabriel. But, but it's not too late."

Gabriel shook his head. "I just can't believe you'd keep this from me. We always said there would be no secrets between us."

"I know," Samantha said reaching for his arm, but he shrugged away from her.

"I need to get out of here," Gabriel said coolly.

"Don't go," Samantha begged.

Gabriel couldn't listen anymore and stormed out of the room.

He couldn't believe she had kept this from him for so long. he didn't realise until he was at the elevators that he still had that photograph in his hand. He fought the urge to tear it apart.

Instead, he stared at it, stared at the man who was his father, at the man who didn't even know he existed.

The man who probably wouldn't have cared about him, had he known, Gabriel thought bitterly. He shoved the photo in his pocket and took the elevator down to the lobby. He needed to cool off.

It was an hour before he finally felt his anger subside and he headed back into the hospital. He decided to apologise to his mother about running out the way he had.

From the moment, he stepped out from the elevator, he knew something was wrong.

His grandmother was sobbing and his grandfather looked like he was barely holding himself together.

"What happened?" Gabriel strode forward.

Since Margaret couldn't speak, Louis put his arm around his grandson. "Samantha...Samantha is..."

Gabriel stared at him. "She's.... she's not.... Mom is in there, right?"

Lewis shook his head. "No, son...she died about half an hour ago..."

"But... I was going to apologise." Gabriel refused to believe this. "We had a fight and I was going to tell her I'm sorry."

"Gabriel--" Margaret said weakly.

Gabriel pushed past his grandparents and into Samantha's room. "Mom--" he stopped short.

Margaret put her hand on her grandson's shoulder. "She loved you so much...."

Gabriel stared at the bed. Samantha was lying there, her eyes closed, her face composed and completely still. "Mom?" he asked his voice breaking.

"I-I can't do this without you, Mom," Gabriel said reaching for her hand.

Everything was as it had been when he stormed out- his schoolbooks lying in a pile, the lamp on the bedside, the cup of juice right where he had left it. But his mother wasn't there anymore, smiling and talking to him.

"It's not fair," Margaret said wiping at her eyes. "She still had so much to do."

Gabriel hardly heard anything she was saying. He was still staring at his mother. "She can't be gone," he heard himself saying. "We have to talk about my father. She can't be gone yet."

"She told you about him," Lewis said quietly.

Gabriel looked at the crumpled up photograph in his hand.

"There will be enough time to sort that all out later," Margaret said sitting down beside her grandson. She pulled him into a fierce hug. "She knows you loved her, Gabriel."

"Mom's gone?" Gabriel asked hoarsely.

Margaret nodded and sobbed into her grandson's shoulder.

Gabriel felt his heart pound and was dizzy.

"Can----can I have a few minutes alone with her?" Gabriel asked.

"Come on Maggie," Lewis said quietly. "We need to go fill out those forms..."

"We'll be right outside," Margaret told Gabriel.

Gabriel nodded numbly.

He sat in silence for a long time, just looking at his mother. "Why, Mom?"

Samantha's face remained still and reposed.

"Why did you tell me this?" Gabriel asked. "Now? And why did you go before I had the chance to...to...to..."

He wished she'd open her eyes and smile at him; tell him that everything was going to be okay.

"Mom I'm so sorry," Gabriel choked out.

And at that moment, he wasn't thinking about that father he didn't know. At that moment, he was thinking about his mother, who had sacrificed so much for him.

"I love you so much Mom," Gabriel said, his eyes blurred with tears. "I'm so sorry I didn't tell you that."

***

Seamus wiped at his eyes when his son finished telling him about the day Samantha had died. "She knew you loved her, Gabe."

"I know," Gabriel wrapped his arms around himself. "I just really wish I could talk to her again."

"Someday maybe you will," Seamus said remembering when he'd had that conversation with Sam.

Gabriel shrugged. "I guess I just have to sort of believe she knew I was sorry when she died."

"She did," Seamus reassured him. "And I know how proud she'd be of you."

"Thanks Dad," Gabriel said. "Her getting sick was what really made me want to become a doctor."

"And I'm glad she told you about me," Seamus said. "And I'm extremely grateful you sought me out."

"At first I know I was a pain in the ass," Gabriel said. "But I really am grateful for everything you've done for me Dad."

"I'd do anything for you, son," Seamus said smiling at him. "You and Lavender are my family."

Gabriel smiled back. "Mine too."

Lavender knocked on the door. "Hello, boys."

"Hey," Seamus smiled at his wife.

"I'm going upstairs to make sure I'm all packed," Gabriel said wanting to be alone for a few minutes.

"Is he okay?" Lavender asked as he left. "He didn't have a fight with Alexa did he?"

Seamus shook his head. "The anniversary of Sam's death is coming up soon. We were talking about it."

"Oh," Lavender said quietly. "I'm sorry, Seamus."

"I wish I could change things," Seamus said leaning back in his chair and looking thoughtfully at his wife. "Go back to that day when Sam and I broke up and make her tell me."

"You didn't know," Lavender perched on the edge of his desk. "And she seemed as if she was pretty headstrong. If she didn't want you to know something, she wouldn't have told you."

Seamus shook his head. "I told her we'd still be friends. I threw her that horrible cliché, Lavender. And then I never saw her again."

"She obviously didn't hold a grudge," Lavender said. "I know you meant well, Seamus. But now you have Gabriel. And he's wonderful."

"I still missed out on so much," Seamus said wistfully. "I can see pictures and hear stories, but it's not the same."

"I know it's not," Lavender toyed with the edge of her skirt. "It's sometimes how I feel about my parents... what I haven't been able to share with them."

Seamus walked around the desk and gave his wife a hug.

Lavender hugged him back. "I love you, Finnigan."

"I love you too," he said softly. "Brown."

"Brown- Finnigan," Lavender corrected with a smile. "I may not have been the one to give you a child, but I did give you the best years of my thighs."

Seamus laughed. "Interesting way to put it."

"I made you smile," Lavender said, satisfied.

Seamus gave her a kiss. "Yes, you did."

"Are you sure you don't want to head back to the States with Gabriel?" Lavender asked. "I don't mind staying here until my show is over."

"You wouldn't mind?" Seamus asked her.

"Of course not," Lavender put her arms around his neck. "I know how much you love spending time with him."

"Thanks, sweetheart," Seamus said.

"Just give me a decent kiss to go on for the rest of the week," Lavender said slyly.

"That's easy," Seamus said leaning in.

Lavender closed her eyes as her husband kissed her passionately.

"How's that?" Seamus asked with a cocky grin when they pulled apart.

"Just what I was hoping for," Lavender said dreamily.

"I’m going to go and tell him the good news," Seamus said to his wife.

"Okay," Lavender gave him one more kiss. "I'll be up to say goodbye in a few minutes."

Seamus grinned at her. "Thanks, by the way. For making me feel better."

"Part of the job," Lavender joked.

Gabriel met his father on the staircase. "What's going on?"

"I'm going to be coming back with you," Seamus told him with a grin. "I only have a few scenes left to shoot and I can come back later in the week to do it. Lav's going to stay through Saturday for her show."

"You don't have to---'"

"I want to," Seamus assured him.

Gabriel nodded. "I'd like that, Dad."

"Great," Seamus clapped him on the shoulder. "We'll have to go out for dinner when you feel like taking a break from studying."

"Or you can help me study for that Physiology exam," Gabriel joked.

"Well that sounds like a load of fun," Seamus replied.

"Let's go then, Old Man," Gabriel said.

"You know, you're going to age a lot faster than me," Seamus said. "I'll be a hundred and still look like this while in your forties, you'll look your age."

"You keep telling yourself that, Dad," Gabriel laughed.

Seamus cuffed him on the head. "Let's see if you're as quick as I am."

"Dad," Gabriel said shaking his head. "I don't want you to get hurt."

"Oh you don't worry about that," Seamus said loftily. "You just try to keep up."

Lavender looked up at the two of them. "I knew I smelled testosterone..."

"Which is why you're bringing the estrogen train?" Gabriel asked his stepmother with a grin.

"You two need to watch it before one of you gets hurt," Lavender chastised.

Gabriel turned his grin to his father. "See Dad? Even Lav knows you'll hurt yourself."

"She knows about my athletic prowess," Seamus said smugly.

Gabriel made a face. "Don’t' say anything about prowess in front of me."

"We wouldn't," Lavender said hastily looking at her husband.

Seamus grinned at her. "Gabriel should know about prowess by now."

"How about we not talk about prowess at all?" Gabriel asked moving past his father.

"Agreed," Seamus joked.

"Give my best to Lewis and Margaret," Lavender said to Gabriel. "I know this isn't an easy time for any of you."

"Thanks," Gabriel was touched that his stepmother had remembered. "I appreciate that."

Lavender gave him a hug. "And good luck with your studying."

"Thanks," Gabriel hugged her. "I'll see you next week though, right?"

"Absolutely," Lavender replied.

"Good," Gabriel said sincerely. He had grown to love his stepmother in the past year.

"I'll ring you later tonight," Seamus promised his wife.

"Sounds good," Lavender gave him a kiss then hugged Gabriel again. "You take care now."

They used a portkey to return back home to Los Angeles. Gabriel was going to take the bus home to his grandparents' house, but Seamus shook his head. "Take one of my cars, son."

"What? Dad--" Gabriel began.

"Either you drive one of my cars home or I drive you there myself," Seamus interjected with a grin. "You shouldn't have to lug your baggage on the bus, Gabriel."

"Dad I already told you, I don't need a car," Gabriel objected.

"I'm just letting you borrow one," Seamus reminded him. "You know you sound like your mother right now."

"And that's a bad thing?" Gabriel asked.

Seamus shook his head. "No, but I remember me trying to give her a car and she telling me point blank that she didn't need one and if she did, she'd buy it herself."

Gabriel laughed. "Yeah, that definitely sounds like Mom."

"And our son," Seamus said with a grin.

Gabriel smiled ruefully. "Can I take the Jag?"

Seamus laughed. "From not wanting one to wanting to borrow my pride and joy..."

"I thought I was your pride and joy," Gabriel teased.

"You are," Seamus assured him.

"Then can I take the Jag?" Gabriel asked. "I promise I'll bring it back tomorrow."

Seamus nodded. "Take it. I trust you, Gabe."

"Are you serious?" Gabriel asked. "I was just kidding."

"You know where the keys are," Seamus told him.

"Wow," Gabriel said. "Thanks Dad. This is going to be so cool!"

Seamus hugged him. "I'd do anything for you, Gabriel. I hope you know that."

"I know," Gabriel hugged him back. "Thanks Dad. For everything. I know it's only been about a year but--"

"It's been an adjustment for both of us, but I'm really happy that you came into my life," Seamus said.

"I am too," Gabriel said. "You and Lavender... well you've been amazing."

Seamus smiled. It was good to see his son smiling and not being so angry at the world. Seamus picked up his son's suitcase and carried it out toward the garage.

"I'll call and let you know a good night for dinner," Gabriel said as he grabbed the keys off the hook.

"Okay," Seamus said. "Thank you for spending the holiday with us, son."

"Thanks for helping me get back for the game," Gabriel said. "It meant a lot to Grandpa."

"It meant a lot to me too," Seamus said. "And maybe your grandfather and I are a bit closer because of it."

"I hope so," Gabriel hugged him again. "I love you Dad."

"Love you too," Seamus said clapping him on the back. He couldn't put into words what it meant for him to have his son call him "Dad".

"I'll see you soon," Gabriel sent him a grin before sliding into the car.

Seamus nodded. "Drive safe."

"I will," Gabriel grinned at him before backing the car out and driving away.

Seamus watched him go and couldn't help but smile.

Gabriel was the best thing that had happened to him, even over his wife. And he was glad that his son had accepted the way things were and that they were able to have a strong relationship now.

He did wish that he could go back and change things so he would have known sooner, but this was the way things were. He couldn't turn back time, but he could make up for the time he'd lost. He hoped that in some way he had done that.

*** *** ***

It was nearing the end of the year, and Julie found herself quite swamped with essays and exams while most of her students prepared themselves for OWLS and NEWTS.

She was absorbed in grading when she heard a light knock on her door.

Oliver was standing there holding a stack of files. They'd been going over some of the prefect choices for next term and despite their plans to go over the candidates together, they'd conducted most of their correspondence by owl. "I finished with these," Oliver said politely.

"Oh," Julie said, rising from her chair. "Um... thanks. I'll look over them too."

Oliver nodded and handed the folders to Julie. He avoided looking at her.

"Thanks," Julie murmured.

Oliver turned for the door.

"Oliver?" Julie asked. "Wait..."

"Yeah?" Oliver asked.

"I um... I miss you," Julie said, her face a bit red. "We were good friends and now we hardly talk."

"I thought it was for the best," Oliver said finally looking properly at her. "The last thing I wanted to do was make you feel awkward and tense around me and I don't want you to leave Hogwarts, Julie. You're the best professor here."

"I'm not going to leave," Julie replied. "And I'm not going to step down as Deputy Headmistress."

Oliver smiled genuinely at her. "I'm glad, Julie."

Julie smiled back at him. "That is of course, as long as you plan on staying as Headmaster. You've done a great job this year."

"I'm not going anywhere," Oliver reassured her. "It's been a tough first year, but I think I can make a difference."

"You already have," Julie assured him. "Not that Dumbledore wasn't wonderful, but you've modernised things a bit here. You've made students think of their life beyond Hogwarts by bringing in former students."

"I couldn't have done it without you," Oliver said leaning against the door. "You and Professor Snape, of course."

"Of course," Julie deadpanned. "He just loves working as a team."

"He and I have really bonded this year," Oliver said with a grin.

"As have I," Julie said. "He's..."

"Right behind you," Snape interjected from the doorway. He glared at Oliver. "Sorry to interrupt your little rendezvous.'

Julie looked at Oliver and rolled her eyes, biting back a grin. "Can we help you?" she asked coolly.

"Professor Malfoy," Snape drawled. "I thought you might like to know that your little sister is serving detention with me for the rest of the week."

"What excuse have you invented now?" Julie asked.

"She talked out of turn," Snape said. "Repeatedly."

"And for that she gets a week's detention?" Julie asked in disbelief. "Professor Snape... if I counted how many times your Slytherin students talked out of turn, they'd be in detention until they were a hundred fifty years old."

"Perhaps your punishment was a little too severe, Severus," Oliver said.

Snape looked outraged. "As usual, I cannot count on YOU," he said angrily.

"Need I remind you that I am your superior?" Oliver shot back. "And you know that as a professor you are not supposed to let your personal feelings or grudges get in the way of that duty."

"I have never--" Snape began.

"You didn't like Harry's father," Oliver interjected. "Therefore, you didn't like Harry, or Ethan, or Julie and now Saffron. They had nothing to do with that grudge you're carrying and you're acting as if they do."

Julie bit her lower lip so she wouldn't start laughing.

"If Miss Potter was talking out of turn, you were right to discipline her," Oliver continued. "But I do believe that your punishment was far too excessive."

"And what do you suggest?" Snape asked coldly.

"One day's detention should be more than enough," Oliver replied.

"Of course," Snape's lip curled up in disgust. "As always, it's your way."

"Good day, Severus," Oliver said nodding his head toward the door.

"That was brilliant," Julie said once Snape had gone. "I can't believe he was trying to give Saffy a week of detention for such a stupid reason."

"I remember your father telling me that Snape gave him detention once because he had the nerve to sneeze during class," Oliver said shaking his head.

Julie rolled her eyes. "He once gave me detention for dropping my quill."

"The crime of being a Potter," Oliver said sympathetically.

"I guess there could be worse things," Julie said dramatically.

Oliver smiled. It was nice talking and joking with her again. And he'd accepted that there could never be anything more between them.

"What are your plans for this summer?" Julie asked.

"I'm going to go home for a few weeks," Oliver said. "And then I'll be back here. How about you? Brighton?"

Julie nodded. "I'm really looking forward to spending time with Nick and the girls."

"Maya told me that Katie's doing really well," Oliver said.

"She's going to have to work at it over the summer," Julie replied. "Her teacher said if she does, she'll be at the same level as her classmates in the fall."

"That's great, Jules," Oliver said smiling at her.

"I'm so glad you recommended Maya," Julie said. "Katie really does like her."

"I'm glad it's working out for all of you," Oliver said, a tinge of sadness in his voice.

"Oliver..." Julie said softly.

"I should get back to my office," Oliver said.

"I want you to be happy too," Julie told him. "You're a good friend Oliver. I hate to see you unhappy."

"I am happy," he assured her. "I have my work and I have good friends, and I like to think that you're included in that."

"I hope so too," Julie said.

Oliver smiled at her. "I think---"

"Jules," Saffron breezed into the room, not noticing the headmaster. "You will not believe what a wanker Snape is. He has really gone overboard this time..."

"Saffy," Julie widened her eyes at her sister. "Could you knock?"

"Why?" Saffron asked. "The door was open and it's just you and me---"

"Ahem," Oliver cleared his throat. "Good evening, Miss Potter."

Saffron tensed up and turned slowly to see the headmaster. "Um, hello, Sir."

Oliver smiled at her. "I heard you had a problem with Professor Snape today?"

Saffron nodded. "How did you find out?"

"He was just up here," Julie answered.

Saffron rolled her eyes. "Well, I'm sure he told you his version of events, but you have to hear mine. We were in Potions and we were going over our lesson and Professor Snape said something wrong and all I did was ask him in Wolfsbane would be a better ingredient and he completely lost it."

"Saffy you only have a day of detention," Julie told her dryly.

"No, he gave me an entire week," Saffron told her.

"Not anymore," Oliver replied. "I thought it to be too harsh a punishment and it didn't seem as if you stepped out of line."

Saffron beamed at him. "Thank you, sir!"

Oliver chuckled. "Just be careful around him, Miss Potter."

"You can count on me," Saffron promised. "Thank you so much."

Julie smiled at her sister. "Was there anything else Saffy?"

Saffron shook her head. "I just wanted to vent is all."

"Feeling better now?" Julie asked.

"Much," Saffron said sitting down on the edge of her sister's desk.

"I'll leave you to it," Oliver said smiling at them.

"I'll get back to you on these," Julie indicated the files. "Thanks Oliver."

"Thanks again, sir," Saffron said to him.

"You're welcome Miss Potter," Oliver nodded. "Good night Jul-- Professor Malfoy."

"Good night, Professor Wood," Julie said smiling at him.

"He really got my detention down to one day?" Saffron asked.

"Yes he did," Julie replied leaning back in her chair.

"He's so cool," Saffron said. "I see why you like working with him."

"He's...he's a great man," Julie said softly. "And a wonderful friend."

Saffron smiled at her sister. "What are those?" she prodded the folders.

"Early candidates for prefects for next year," Julie said slapping Saffron's hand away before the younger girl could grab the files. "And they're confidential."

"Oh come on Jules," Saffron pleaded. "Am I in there?"

"You are already a prefect," Julie reminded her.

"But am I going to be Head Girl?" Saffron asked anxiously.

"I don't know," Julie said evasively.

"Jules," Saffron whined.

"It is between you and Mary Ellen Ward," Julie finally relented.

"That cow?" Saffron scoffed. "I'm better than she is!"

"Saffron," Julie admonished.

"I am!" Saffron claimed. "Come on Julie..."

"Saffy, I don't have a say here," Julie replied in exasperation.

"But you have to have heard something," Saffron pleaded. "I've been working for this from the moment I was sorted into Gryffindor. You know how it feels---you were Head Girl, too."

"I am not at liberty to say anything," Julie held up a hand. "Saffy you know that."

"I wouldn't tell anyone," Saffron promised.

"I know you," Julie said with a laugh. "If you found out that you were Head Girl, you would run out of here doing cartwheels down the corridor before rubbing it in Mary Ellen's face."

"I would not," Saffron blushed.

"I remember a certain nine year old who won her school's science fair and celebrated by standing in front of the second place winner and saying and I quote, "In your face!'," Julie countered.

"I was nine!" Saffron protested, giggling at the memory. "And she was a stupid cow!"

"You made her cry!" Julie exclaimed.

Saffron sighed. "Okay, okay... I'll wait until the end of summer hols. But if I die from it--"

Julie smiled and shook her head. "You are too much, Saffron Grace."

"I try," Saffron grinned at her sister. "How are my nieces?"

"They're doing well," Julie replied. "Katie's doing well with her tutor and Ash is working on some new sketches."

"I'm so excited about Ash being here next year," Saffron said.

"She is too," Julie said. "And I know it will be great for her to have you around."

"She'll love it here. I can see her sitting outside on weekends doing sketches of the castle." Saffron grinned.

"Where does the time go?" Julie asked. "My little girl is starting Hogwarts next year. You'll be starting your last year. And Katie's going to rule the world before we know what's happening."

"Katie will rule the world once I step down," Saffron said craftily.

"If you get the chance, you'd never step down," Julie said mussing her sister's hair.

"Kind of like Mum," Saffron replied.

"She's never going to retire," Julie said.

Saffron shook her head. "I'm really excited about Brighton this year too. It'll be fun to have Will, Frankie and Hannah there this time."

"Only a few more weeks," Julie said grinning at her.

"I really can't wait to see Andrew," Saffron said. "And to NOT have RJ there at Brighton. That's the best part."

"Saffron, when are you going to get over that?" Julie asked her.

Saffron rolled her eyes. "I'm over it! I just don't like him!"

"And he just so happens to be your boyfriend's best friend," Julie reminded her.

"Which is about the only sore part about our relationship," Saffron said sourly.

"Yes, well you need to find some way to peacefully co-exist with him or your relationship with Andrew will suffer because of it," Julie counselled.

Saffron sat back in her chair. "I don't know why he can't just fly off somewhere and never come back," she grumbled.

"Saffron, like it or not, he's Uncle Ron and Aunt Luna's son," Julie told her. "And he's mum and dad's godson."

When her sister was silent, Julie pursued on a bit further.

"Alexa isn't holding a grudge, is she? She's moved on with Gabriel now. No one is hanging onto this but you, Saffy."

"Jules," Saffron said biting her bottom lip. "He----he didn't just let Alexa down when he did this, he let me down, too.”

"How so?" Julie asked.

"I'm not so sure I can explain it," Saffron said looking down at the floor. "I just---he and I always gave each other a hard time, but I thought of him like I did Ethan, Julie."

"But Ethan makes mistakes too," Julie shook her head. "We all make mistakes. Why is RJ the one to be unforgiven?"

"He just is," Saffron said defensively. "I doubt I would be able to forgive Ethan if he cheated on Maddie."

Julie sighed. "I guess it doesn't occur to you that RJ doesn't need your forgiveness, Saffron. But if you want to be happy with Andrew, you're going to have to deal with the fact that he's going to be around. It's only a matter of time before it's going to come between you if you can't just let it GO."

"I've tried," Saffron admitted. "It's just hard."

"But it shouldn't be," Julie said. "He was one of your best friends, Saffron."

"Can we talk about something else, please?" Saffron asked.

"If you like," Julie sat back.

"I should go anyway," Saffron said. "I'm meeting Peter and Alexa in the library.”

"All right," Julie nodded. "Tell them hello for me."

Julie stood up and gave her sister a hug. "Think about what I said."

Saffron shrugged. "Maybe."

Julie watched her sister go and hoped that Saffron would try harder to make peace with RJ. Holding a grudge like this would only bring her pain.

172. 172

Authors' note: As you guys know, we decided to take a break from this story for awhile. We're going to continue posting until we run out of what we have so far, but we are going to stop replying to reviews unless there are questions. We are still going to read the reviews and we will still participate in discussions at the group. We hope you guys will continue to understand the need for us to do this. We appreciate all of your feedback and have taking your comments to heart. Your support for us taking a break means a lot, and don’t think for a moment it’s a decision we made lightly. We think though, that when we come back, things will be better than ever. You guys ROCK!

Things between Katie and Caroline didn't improve over the next couple of weeks. Caroline was still hurt by her best friend's words and Katie didn't understand why Caroline was so upset given that Katie was only trying to help her.

They'd been best friends for so long; it was strange for both of them not to talk to each other or to have sleepovers. And to make matters worse, Katie thought Mia was taking full advantage of the fight to worm her way into Caroline's good graces.

The girls in the class obeyed Cho when she asked them to perform their warm up stretches. Katie glared at Mia as the younger girl took her place beside Caroline.

"Did you talk to her yet?" Mia whispered.

Caroline shook her head. "I was thinking I might after we finish tonight. Mummy said I could invite her to come eat with us."

"I still think it was mean she said you weren't as good as her," Mia replied. "You're the best in our group."

"Thanks, Mia," Caroline said gratefully.

Cho clapped her hands to get their attention. "Okay, girls. As you know, we usually have our recital in June, but due to some scheduling conflicts, the recital will be held in August. That gives us much more time to prepare. And you all know that this year, your class will be performing a couple of selections from The Swan Princess."

All the girls clapped politely.

"Auditions will be held at the end of June," Cho told them. "So everyone who wants to try out for the lead, practise, practise, practise!"

"When can we sign up for the audition?" one of the girls asked.

"I will be posting a sign-up sheet after the class," Cho told them. "If you would like to audition, please sign up. But no matter what, you will all play a part in the recital."

"Han and Em are swans!" Emma announced from the corner.

Everyone giggled at the redhead who was sitting with her brother on a blanket at the back of the class. Adam was lying on his back looking up at his big sister.

Cho smiled at her granddaughter. "That's right Emma. Everyone will have a part, whether it's a swan or one of the forest animals."

Lindsey Gill poked Katie. "You're a shoe-in."

"I hope so," Katie said fervently.

"You're the best here, Katie," Lindsey said loyally.

"It's nice to have someone here who understands," Katie nodded.

"Come on, girls," Cho instructed. "I'll start the music."

Katie looked over towards Caroline but the brunette was moving towards the other side of the room with Mia.

Emma pointed toward Caroline. "Adam, watch Sissy!"

Hannah giggled. "I don't think he knows to watch her yet, Em."

"Adam smart," Emma said looking over her shoulder at Allison. "Mummy, sit Adam up to see, peas?"

"All right sweetheart," Allison carefully lifted her son. "I'm sure he'll want to watch you out there next."

"Adam, watch," Emma said. "Go Sissy!"

"Shhh, Emma." Allison cautioned.

Hannah and Emma watched the older girls dancing. Katie worked her way toward the front of the class, wanting Cho to get a good look at her.

Caroline concentrated on her steps and tried not to watch Katie show off. Remembering how Cho always told them to keep their heads up, she avoiding watching her feet.

"Good, Mia," Cho said as she walked around the room. "But remember to stand up straight....that's it."

Katie shot a superior glance to the back of the room as Cho moved on.

"Good Caroline," she praised. "Very lovely turnout."

Caroline smiled to herself. She had worked hard to get better and she was glad it was paying off.

Mia grinned at her. "See?" she whispered. "You're the best!"

Cho smiled at Katie. "Very good, Katie."

Katie straightened up proudly as she moved to another position.

Julie walked into the studio and waved at her daughter before taking a seat beside Allison.

"Did I miss much?" Julie whispered.

Allison shook her head. "Cho just made the announcement about the recital."

Julie looked at Adam who was staring up at Allison. "Allie, he's getting so big!"

"Tell me about it," Allison replied. "They grow up entirely too fast for my liking..."

"Joos, look at Sissy!" Emma squealed. "And Katie!"

"Emma," Allison put a finger to her lips. "Remember when we talked about being quiet during Grandma's class?"

Emma nodded. "Sorry, Mummy."

The music for their warm-up finished and the girls lined up for their lesson. Caroline stood back, not quite ready to be at the front just yet. Katie's friend Lindsey stood on her other side. "You're going to try out, are you?"

Caroline looked at her. "I want to," she nodded.

"If you do get it, it'll be because your grandma's the teacher," Lindsey said matter-of-factly. "That's the only reason."

Caroline stared at her. "I could get it even if my grandma wasn't the teacher," she said quietly.

"Right," Lindsey giggled.

Caroline had never particularly liked Lindsey and now that feeling was only magnified.

"Mrs. Longbottom is always fair," Mia whispered to Lindsey. "She never plays favourites."

"That's what you think," Lindsey looked at her disdainfully.

"Linds, come up here with me!" Katie called out.

"Gotta go," Lindsey smirked at the younger girls.

"I don't like her," Mia said, shaking her head.

"Me either," Caroline admitted.

Cho demonstrated the moves the girls were to learn today and Caroline watched her grandmother carefully.

"We're going to do a pirouette this way," Cho said. "And turn back this way..." she demonstrated.

"Lindsey, Katie, Marcie and Robin," Cho said motioning for those four girls to come forward. "You try it first."

Katie and Lindsey sent each other knowing grins.

Cho stood back and watched the older girls as they performed the movements. "Lindsey, don't watch yourself in the mirror...."

"Yes Mrs. Longbottom," Lindsey averted her eyes.

"Marcie, that's good. And Katie, you have a lovely pirouette. Robin, don't go so fast on your turn..."

Caroline looked over at her mother who made Adam wave to her. The gesture made Caroline feel a little less nervous about impressing her grandmother enough for the part.

Cho smiled at the older girls. "Great. Now, let's see Caroline, Mia, Tara and Stacey."

Caroline gulped nervously. She still wasn't used to getting up and having everyone watch her perform.

"Do good for Grandma," Lindsey whispered when Caroline walked past for her. "Like it matters..."

Caroline shot her an angry look before taking her place at the front of the room. She willed herself to pretend that she was just practising on her own.

Cho once again performed the movements before letting the girls do it. She then stood back and watched as the younger girls started to dance

Caroline held her back straight and her head up as she did her pirouette.

Cho grinned. "Excellent, Caroline."

Caroline beamed back at her grandmother and did next turn. She caught Mia's eye in the mirror and her cousin gave her a quick thumbs up.

Katie had to admit her best friend was quite good, but doing the movements well in class and doing them well on stage were two entirely different things.

"She's not as good as you," Lindsey murmured. "And you know if she gets picked, it's 'cause Mrs. Longbottom is her grandma."

"She's not like that, Linds," Katie whispered.

"I thought you were mad at her," Lindsey said. "That's what you told me before class, wasn't it?"

Katie shrugged. "Yeah."

Caroline finished and hesitantly walked over to her best friend. "Hey."

"Hi," Katie said, looking up at her.

"You did really well," Caroline said.

Katie smiled a bit. "Thanks. You did pretty good too."

"You really think so?" Caroline asked hopefully.

"Sure," Katie nodded. "If you practise more, you might get in the chorus or something..."

"I think I'm going to try for the lead," Caroline said.

Lindsey scoffed. "Even if you already know Katie's going to get it?"

"Everyone has a chance," Caroline said defensively.

"Sissy," Emma ran over and interrupted the tense conversation. "It's Em's turn now!"

Caroline was happy for the interruption and she took her sister's hand. "Come on, Em. I'll show you what to do."

"See?" Lindsey said to Katie. "Even she knows you're better."

"I am, but I don't want to hurt her feelings," Katie said. "I'll be right back."

Instead of going over to Emma and Caroline, Katie walked over to say hello to her mother. "I thought Daddy was coming today because you had to work."

Julie smiled. "I left a bit early so I could come see the end of your lesson. You did wonderful out there, sweetheart."

Katie gave her mother a hug. "Thanks, Mummy."

"I missed you today," Julie kissed Katie's temple.

"I missed you too," Katie said.

"I thought tonight we'd pick up some pizza for dinner on our way home," Julie told her.

Katie grinned. "Okay."

Hannah looked over at the older girl. "Hi, Katie," she said shyly.

"Hey Hannah," Katie greeted her.

"I hope someday I can dance as well as you and Caroline," Hannah said.

"You just have to practise a lot," Katie told her. "I bet you could be good someday."

"I will," Hannah promised.

"I heard you're coming to Brighton with us," Katie said. "It's a lot of fun. We make sand castles and swim in the ocean."

"You and Caroline?" Hannah asked.

"All of us," Katie nodded.

"I've never been to the ocean before," Hannah admitted.

"You'll like it," Katie said. "Unless you're like Aunt Saffy and get tossed in by all the guys!"

Hannah giggled. "Caroline told me about that!"

"Don't tell her, but it was pretty funny," Katie nodded, turning to look at Caroline.

"Why don't you join them?" Julie urged.

Katie shook her head. "I'm going back to sit with Lindsey until class is over."

"Katie--" Julie called after her.

"I guess the girls still really aren't talking to each other," Allison said.

Julie shook her head. "I keep hoping they'll make up."

"I'm sure they will," Allison replied. "They're just young girls, they're bound to have their arguments."

Julie nodded. "I hope so."

Allison grinned at her. "Did you sometimes ever think we'd wind up here? Our daughters are best friends... we both are happily married with guys we got together with at Hillsdale..."

"I know," Julie agreed grinning back at her. "I wouldn't change a thing, Allie."

"You and Nick are so in love," Allison nodded, patting Adam's back when he grew a little fussy.

"We are," Julie smiled. "But we did have a major fight a few weeks ago." She told Allison in a hushed tone about what had transpired between her and Oliver.

"He really fancies you?" Allison whispered, her eyes wide. "Jules... what did you tell him?"

"I didn't really have to tell him anything other than that I loved my husband," Julie replied. "And Oliver respects my marriage, Allie. He said he'd never cross the line. And things have been awkward and tense, but I think we're getting back to being friends."

"I'm glad," Allison said. "That had to be rough."

"It was," Julie admitted. "But he really is a wonderful man and he's been such a good friend to me, especially with everything that's been going on with Katie."

"How is her reading?" Allison shifted Adam to her other shoulder.

Julie looked over at Katie, who was talking with Lindsey. "She's doing really well. I'm really proud of her."

"I am too," Allison nodded.

Caroline giggled as Hannah and Emma did an impromptu dance. "Em, you just like spinning."

"Em loves to spin," the redhead giggled.

"You're making me dizzy," Hannah giggled.

"Han don't spin like Em," Emma said. "Like this!"

Hannah did as Emma requested and couldn't stop giggling.

"They're so cute!" Mia whispered to Caroline.

"I know," Caroline grinned. "I love having a little sister."

Katie stood off to the side with Lindsey watching them. She didn't think Caroline should try out, but she didn't like the fact their row was causing Mia to worm her way into Caroline's good graces. "I'll be right back, Linds."

"Where are you going?" Lindsey asked.

Katie didn't answer her as she made her way over to the other members of the Princess Club. "Um, can I talk to you for a minute, Caroline?"

"Okay," Caroline said. "Em, I'll be right back, okay?"

"Kay," Emma replied.

Katie took her friend's hand and led her toward the back of the room. "I'm sorry about what I said."

Caroline looked at her doubtfully.

"You have every right to try out and I was wrong for making it seem like you didn't," Katie continued.

"You think I'd be good enough to try out?" Caroline asked. "Really?"

"You just need to work on your stage fright," Katie said wisely. She knew that Caroline was far too shy to ever really make a go of this.

"Okay," Caroline smiled at her. "Thanks Katie!"

Katie gave her a hug. "And you're much more fun to hang out with than Lindsey. You know she's actually thinking of trying out?"

"She might do good too," Caroline said.

Katie shrugged. "Hey, why don't we show Em that crazy dance you and I used to do when we were about her age. Do you remember?"

Caroline giggled. "Yes!"

Katie grabbed her hand and the two girls ran back over to where Hannah, Emma and Mia were. "Hannah, Em. How would you like to learn the Katoline dance?"

Emma stared at her. "Em can't say that..."

"What is it?" Mia asked curiously.

"It's a dance me and Katie made up when we were younger," Caroline told her. "Watch!"

Hannah and Emma sat down with Mia and the three girls watched as Katie and Caroline began their dance. Emma squealed when Katie did a little kick just as Caroline did. "Oooooh!"

"They're really good!" Hannah was impressed.

"Bestest friends like Han and Em," Emma told her.

Katie giggled as Caroline did that dramatic pose that always made her laugh. "Okay, Caroline. Big finish, remember?"

"I think so," Caroline said as she and Katie simultaneously made pirouettes and turns.

Hannah, Emma, and Mia clapped enthusiastically.

"That was very good, girls," Cho smiled at both of them. She had witnessed their dance from across the room. "Did you both make that up?"

Caroline nodded. "Katie calls it the Katoline dance--Kat for her and oline for me---parts of our names, see?"

"Very clever," Cho nodded.

"We make a good team," Katie said proudly.

"Always have," Caroline agreed.

Allison nudged Julie. "I think they've made up."

"Good," Julie said. "Katie was a bit mopey without Caroline."

"Ditto," Allison said with a grin. She looked down at her son. "Hey, little guy...are you going to go to sleep on me now?"

"He is such a handsome guy, Allie." Julie said.

Allison smiled down at him. "He looks more like Jon every day."

"He does," Julie agreed. "And Chloe-- I can't believe what a beautiful baby she is... Saffy wouldn't let anyone near her the day of the wedding- not that I can blame her."

Allison laughed. "That must be why she was offering us free babysitting."

"The girls love when she baby-sits for them," Julie said. "Not that she has much of a chance to, being away at school and all, and having Greta with us."

"And Ashley will be starting Hogwarts next year," Allison said shaking her head. "When did she grow up?"

"I blinked one day," Julie said dryly. "Yesterday she and Katie were my babies."

"They'll always be your babies," Allison told her.

"I hope so," Julie stood up. "I need to get Katie home..."

"We should get going too," Allison said standing up with Adam.

Julie hugged the younger woman. "It was good to see you, Allie. Say hello to Jon for me."

"You do the same for Nick and Greta and Ashley," Allison said.

"I will," Julie promised. "Katie!" she called. "Let's get going!"

Katie frowned. "I have to go, but ask your Mum if you can come over this weekend, Caroline. Promise?"

"I will," Caroline hugged her. "I'm glad we're friends again Katie."

"Me too," Katie hugged her back. "Bye Hannah! Bye Em!"

"Bye Katie!" Emma called. "Practise make perfect!"

Katie giggled as she joined her mother. "Em says the funniest things, Mummy."

"Yes she does," Julie agreed. "So what do you think Katie bear? What should we get on our pizza?"

Katie slid out of her ballet shoes and put on her trainers. "Pepperoni,"

"Extra cheese," Julie added.

Katie nodded. "Yummy."

Julie put an arm around her daughter's shoulders. "Your teacher rang me today when I stopped home."

"What did she say?" Katie asked, tensing up.

"She told me you have improved quite a bit," Julie said. "She's very proud of you, Katie. So am I. And I can't wait until we tell your Dad and Ashley about it."

Katie grinned. "She really said that?"

"Yes she did," Julie answered. "You have done such a good job with your reading. Maya told me just the other day that you've gone further than she thought you would."

"It's not so bad now," Katie admitted. "And the stories Maya has me read are really interesting, Mummy."

"I'm really glad you like it," Julie said. "Reading is such a wonderful opportunity."

Katie leaned against her mother. "Things are going really well for me."

Julie kissed the top of her head. "Yes they are, sweetheart."

"And I'm going to get the lead in the recital," Katie said smugly. "No one else is as good as me."

Julie looked down at her daughter. "You are a very good dancer, Katie bear. But you may not always get the lead. I don't want you to get disappointed if someone else gets it."

"I'm going to get this lead," Katie said. "And I'm going to be the best. Malfoys are always the best."

Julie stayed silent at that remark. It reminded her too much of her in laws.

They arrived back at home about a half hour later with the pizza. Katie set her bag by the door and called out for Sophie.

The puppy ran towards her, barking and running around in excited circles.

Katie knelt down and picked her up. "Hey, Sophie!"

"Mum, is that you?" Ashley called out.

"Hi sweetheart!" Julie called to her oldest daughter.

"Daddy said you were going to be home early," Ashley said coming to welcome her. "Hi, Katie. How was your class?"

"Good," Katie said. "I'm soooo getting the lead in the recital."

Ashley grinned. "I know, Katie. You've told me about a thousand times."

Julie carried the pizza box into the kitchen. "Where's your father, Ash?"

"In the studio," Ashley answered.

"Katie, why don't you go and get him?" Julie asked.

"Okay Mummy," Katie said. "Can I tell him what my teacher said?"

"Of course," Julie said grinning at her.

Katie ran down the stairs. "DADDY!"

Nick looked up from his desk. "Katie bear!"

"Guess what!" Katie gave her father a hug.

Nick sat her on his lap. "What?"

"My teacher talked to Mummy," Katie said. "And she said I'm doing really good with my reading!"

Nick gave her another hug. "That's my girl!"

"I want to make you and Mummy proud of me," Katie hugged him back.

"We are really proud of you," Nick said. "And your mum and I always told you that if you work hard, you can do anything you want. You've worked really hard at this, Katie. And you're doing so well, baby girl."

"Thanks Daddy," Katie hugged him again.

"You're my girl," Nick said. "And I take it we have pizza to celebrate?"

"With extra pepperoni and extra cheese," Katie confirmed.

Nick stood up with Katie in his arms. "What are we waiting for?"

"You'd better run," Katie laughed.

Nick carried her upstairs and into the kitchen. "Hiya, Jules."

"Hi," Julie smiled at her husband.

Ashley handed out the plates. "How's your song writing going, Daddy?"

"Good," Nick smiled at her. "I think I've got the makings of a new one."

"What's it about?" Ashley asked.

"Maybe after dinner you and Katie can come down and listen to what I have so far," Nick replied.

"I'd like that," Ashley said happily. She handed her sister a slice. "Here you go, Katie."

"Thanks," Katie said. "This is the yummiest pizza."

"I could live off this if I didn't love Greta's cooking so much," Ashley said.

"That makes two of us," Nick said to his daughter.

"Katie also made up with Caroline," Julie announced.

"You two were fighting?" Ashley asked,

"Not really," Katie said picking at her pizza.

"Oh," Ashley said.

"She's thinking of trying out for the lead in the recital and I said I didn't think it was a good idea since she's so shy," Katie explained.

"Caroline would do a good job though," Ashley said thoughtfully.

"Not as good as me," Katie said. "Right, Daddy?"

"Sure, sweetheart," Nick looked at Julie.

Julie decided a change of subject would be best. "We need to go shopping for the Brighton trip soon. Maybe next weekend?"

"Yay," Ashley said. "I need a new swim costume."

"Me too," Katie said excitedly. "And sandals. And shorts..."

Julie laughed. "I think it might cost us a small fortune."

"Big fortune, Mum," Ashley teased.

"Especially with me," Katie said with a grin.

"You're going to go easy on your dad's money, right?" Nick asked reaching across the table and tweaking her nose.

"Maybe," Katie giggled.

"You'd better," Nick said grinning at her.

"I cannot wait for it," Julie admitted. "Nothing but sun and fun and family."

"I love Brighton," Ashley said.

"We all do," Julie agreed. "Your Aunt Saffy is looking forward to it, too."

Ashley grinned. "Will, um, will Andrew be coming this year?"

Julie smiled. "I believe so."

Ashley blushed. "Oh, good."

"Ash has a crush," Katie sang.

"I don't," Ashley said defensively.

"It's okay if Ashley has a crush," Nick said grinning at his oldest. "Perfectly natural."

"I don't have a crush," Ashley was blushing so hard her face was nearly purple. "I just think he's nice."

"He is very nice," Julie agreed. "And he happens to think you are a talented artist."

Ashley looked pleased at this. "He does?"

Julie nodded. "Saffron actually gave him that sketch you did of a broom. I thought she'd told you that..."

"She didn't," Ashley put her slice of pizza down. "But it's okay."

"And how about you, Katherine Rose?" Nick asked. "You have your eye on some unsuspecting boy."

"No way," Katie made a face.

"I don't have my eye on anyone either, Daddy," Ashley said leaning back in her chair and avoiding looking at anyone. "I just think Andrew is really nice and he talks to me like I'm not a kid. I like that."

"You both are just growing up too fast for me," Nick said affectionately.

"Grandpa said that about Saffy," Katie rolled her eyes. "I don't know why...we're supposed to grow up."

"When you're a parent someday you'll understand," Julie smiled at her.

"They always say that too," Ashley told her sister.

"I know," Katie made a face. "I can't wait to be a grown up!"

"And they won't make us leave the room before they talk about the interesting stuff," Ashley said thoughtfully. "Why is that?"

"You girls have figured us out," Nick shook his head and took another piece of pizza.

"When I'm a parent, I'm not going to do stuff like that," Katie vowed.

"And what will you be like?" Nick teased.

"I'm going to be just like Mummy," Katie replied. "'cept I'm gonna let my kids eat whatever they want, and I'm gonna let them hear the important things."

"What sorts of important things?" Julie asked.

"Like when you and Daddy fight," Katie said. "Or when you talk about things that we're not supposed to hear..."

"Katie," Ashley hissed.

"Have you been eavesdropping, Katherine Rose?" Nick asked her.

"No..." Katie lied.

"Uh-huh," Nick said doubtfully.

Julie gave her daughter a look. "What have you been listening in on?"

Katie bit her bottom lip and thought about lying, but the way he mother was looking at her told her she should be honest. "Um, I sort of know that your boss has a crush on you," Katie admitted.

Julie and Nick exchanged a look that neither of their daughters could read. "Katherine Rose," Nick began. "You are never, ever to repeat that to anyone, do you understand?"

Katie nodded.

"Look girls," Julie sighed. "That's only partly true. We're just very good friends is all."

"Next time he comes, Daddy should tell him to stay away from you," Katie said quietly.

"It's been handled," Nick told his daughter.

"Did you fight him?" Katie asked eagerly. "Does Grandpa know?"

"Katie!" Ashley exclaimed. "It's none of our business!"

Julie shifted uncomfortably in her seat. She'd no idea that Katie had overheard them talking about Oliver. It wasn't something she'd ever planned on sharing with either of her daughters and she certainly didn't want her father finding out about it, given that Oliver was one of his oldest friends.

"Katherine Rose," Nick looked at his youngest daughter seriously. "I want you to promise you won't repeat that. It's something that stays in this room."

Katie nodded solemnly. "I promise."

"And I don't want you saying anything to him either," Julie added. "He's my boss, and a friend of the family."

"We wouldn't," Ashley said looking at her sister. "Right, Katie?"

Katie shrugged. "I won't."

"Finish up your dinner, girls," Julie said pushing her plate away. "You have homework."

"And you have your reading," Nick looked pointedly at Katie. "Without eavesdropping. And if your mum or I catch you--"

"Yes sir," Katie said.

The rest of their dinner was spent in relative silence until Ashley and Katie had left the kitchen. "I can't believe she overheard us," Julie rubbed her forehead.

"Me too," Nick agreed, gathering up the plates. "Jules, she promised she wouldn't say anything."

"I hope not," Julie sighed. "Nick..."

Nick set the plates down in the sink and turned to look at his wife. "Yeah?"

"You know there's nothing going on," Julie said softly. "And as long as you believe me, that's all I care about."

"I do," Nick said leaning against the counter. "I trust you, Julie. And I can't fault Wood's taste in women..."

"Just promise me you'll be nice to him," Julie stood up and went over to him. "He likes you a lot Nick."

Nick put his arms around her. "I will. I told you I'd still participate in that Quidditch match he was putting together."

"Thank you," Julie snuggled against him. "You know... this is my favourite place in the world to be."

"Mine too," Nick said giving her a kiss.

"I love you Nicholas," Julie kissed him back.

"I love you too," Nick said resting his forehead on hers.

"What's your new song about?" Julie asked in a low voice.

"It was inspired by my lovely wife," Nick told her. "Maybe you'd like to listen later tonight?"

"I'd love to," Julie replied. "And maybe I have a surprise for you in our closet for later as well..."

"Oh really?" Nick asked. "Hmmmm...."

"Well..." Julie said coyly. "It's for me to wear for YOU as a surprise..."

Nick grinned. "Well, I think I'll go help Katie with her reading and I'll meet you back downstairs in about an hour."

"And I'll go help Ash with her maths and be waiting for you," Julie nipped at his lower lip.

"You've got a date," Nick said huskily.

173. Chapter 173

Authors’ note: Just a note as to why we're not responding to LD reviews- in order for us to fully 'break' from this story for a bit, we need to walk away completely from it. You guys have been really great to us and we’re glad that you understand the need for this hiatus. This is a fun chapter with lots of flashbacks!

Ethan was filing some paperwork in the office he shared with Justin when he heard a knock on the doorframe. "Hey Dad," he greeted his father. "The perks of being an Auror, right?"

"One of my favourite parts of the job," Harry deadpanned. "You could probably get someone to do that for you."

Ethan laughed. "I tried that with Uncle Neville. He reminded me that I was just a rookie."

Harry laughed too. "Remind him he was a rookie once as well."

"I'll do that," Ethan said. "What's going on?"

"I wanted to find out what your plans are for this weekend?" Harry asked.

Ethan looked thoughtfully at his father. "Well, I was going to play a pickup game of Quidditch with some of my mates, but that's about it. Why?"

"Look at this," Harry tossed a folder onto his son's desk.

Ethan opened the file. "Nikolai Dolohov...but I thought he was in Azkaban..."

"Was," Harry supplied. "We're being sent out to track him. You interested?"

Ethan gaped at his father. "Really?"

Harry laughed. "Really..."

Ethan could hardly believe his luck. Dolohov's grandfather had been responsible for a plot to assassinate Hermione a few years ago and word had it that his grandson was trying to formulate a plan to do the same. He'd been incarcerated a couple of years ago but according to the file had escaped.

"Does Mum know?" Ethan asked seriously.

Harry nodded. "She's quite aware."

"I'd love to be the one to bring him in," Ethan said eagerly.

"That makes two of us," Harry answered. "We leave for Reading at four am on Friday morning. That's where we'll start tracking, anyway."

"Just you and me?" Ethan asked.

Harry nodded.

Ethan smiled. "It…it means a lot to me that you think I'm ready for this, Dad."

Harry grinned at him. "I always knew you'd be a great Auror."

Ethan's grin grew wider. "I had a great teacher."

"Do you remember that time when you were about five and you were determined to go with me on a mission?" Harry asked.

Ethan groaned. "Dad..."

"Come on Ethan," Harry replied. "You had that suitcase and everything--"

Ethan didn't remember the actual event as much as he remembered the endless stories his parents had told him about it.

***

At five years of age, Ethan James Potter thought his father could do anything and everything. Whenever his father returned from work, Ethan would beg him for details about his latest missions.

Harry was currently getting himself packed to leave for four nights on a trip to Leeds. Hermione was helping him and Ethan kept running in and out of the room to ask questions.

"Four nights by myself," Hermione teased her husband when they were alone. "You promise you're not going to forget about me?"

Harry scoffed. "As if I could."

Ethan ran into the room. "How long are you going to be gone again, Dad?"

"Four days, little man." Harry picked him up and swung him into the air.

Ethan laughed. "Dad!"

"Harry, don't get him too fired up," Hermione cautioned. "It's near his bedtime..."

"It's okay Mummy," Ethan told her. "I'm going to go with Dad."

"Sweetheart, you have school," Hermione reminded him gently. "You can't go with your dad."

"But I have to," Ethan insisted.

"Why's that?" Harry asked.

"Because I want to do everything you do," Ethan said simply. "And I'm going to be a good Auror."

"I bet you will be," Harry replied. "When you're older. For now little man, you have to stay home and take care of your mum."

Ethan squirmed out of his father's arms and ran out of the room.

"He'll be okay," Hermione reassured Harry.

"I wish I could take him," Harry looked at the empty doorway.

Ethan ran into his older sister's room. "Help, Jules!"

"What's the matter Ethan?" Julie asked, setting her book aside.

Ethan tugged at her arm. "Hurry!"

"Is something wrong?" Julie was growing alarmed.

Ethan pulled at her until she got to her feet and followed him into his room. The little boy flung open his closet door and pointed to the top shelf where his little suitcase was. "Get it for me!"

Confused, Julie lifted it down. "Ethan what in Merlin's name is going on?"

Ethan didn't answer her as he hurried to grab whatever he could to throw it into his suitcase. He didn't want his father to leave without him.

"Ethan!" Julie stood in front of his closet. "What are you doing?"

"I'm going with Daddy," Ethan announced, picking up a few of his toy cars and tossing them into the suitcase.

"But Dad's going on a mission," Julie shook her head. "You can't go with him, Ethan."

"Can too," Ethan said stubbornly. "I'm going to be an Auror just like him."

"Ethan--" Julie began.

"Everything okay in----what in the world?" Hermione asked peering into the room. "Ethan, what are you doing?"

"Going with Dad!" Ethan said, putting some socks into his suitcase before closing it.

Julie looked at her mother. "He came into my room and asked me to get his suitcase down. I didn't know what for..."

"Ethan James," Hermione said gently. "You can't go with Daddy. Not now, okay?"

"You're just mad because you can't go because you're a girl," Ethan said pulling his suitcase down off the bed.

"Ethan!" Hermione exclaimed.

Ethan dragged his suitcase behind him. "Daddy and I will be back soon."

Harry was coming down the corridor when he saw his son lugging his bag. "What are you doing little man?"

"I'm ready to go," Ethan announced.

"Go where?" Harry asked, bemused.

"With you to Weeds," Ethan said simply.

"Weeds?" Harry asked, barely holding in his laughter. "Oh I get it... you want to go on my mission still, don't you?"

Ethan nodded. "I'll be a good partner, Daddy. Gran said I was just like you."

"I think she's right," Harry nodded as he squatted down. "But I have a bigger mission for you, little man."

"What?" Ethan asked curiously.

"I know it may not be as exciting," Harry began. "But I need you to stay here and watch your mum and your sister for me."

Ethan shook his head. "I don't want to."

"You'll have to take orders like this if you want to be an Auror," Harry told his son.

"But--" Ethan protested.

"Little man," Harry looked down at him. "You'll be in charge while I'm gone, okay? This is a really big assignment.”

"And you don't want to leave us alone, do you?" Hermione asked from behind him.

"Yeah, Ethan," Julie chimed in. "We need you here."

"You do?" Ethan looked as if he was on the verge of tears.

"Of course," Hermione said kneeling down.

"But I want to go like Daddy," Ethan said. "I want to do everything like Daddy."

Harry mussed his son's hair. "You will, Ethan James. You just have to wait a little longer. Someday, I'll take you with me. I promise."

"Promise?" Ethan asked.

"Promise," Harry said grinning at him.

***

"And you kept that promise," Ethan said, looking down at the folder on his desk. "Man, I was pretty insistent wasn't I?"

"You get that from your mother," Harry said.

"And a little from you," Ethan grinned at him.

"Maybe a little," Harry said. "Ethan, you're a great Auror. And you've worked hard. "

"Thanks Dad," Ethan said. "I still want to make you proud of me."

"You have, son," Harry said.

"I can't wait to tell Maddie," Ethan shuffled through the folder again.

Harry smiled. "Give her my best."

Ethan nodded. "I've just got to finish this filing and I'll be done for the day."

"Read up on Dolohov," Harry told him. "You need to get inside his head, Ethan."

"Right," Ethan nodded. "I'll go into the archives before I leave and see what I can dig up on him."

Harry nodded. "Good night, son."

"Bye Dad," Ethan said. "And thanks again!"

"No need to thank me," Harry said. "This is something you earned."

"Yeah but I've been waiting for this ever since I could talk," Ethan said with a grin.

Harry laughed. "Just about right."

"See you Dad," Ethan said as his father left.

A few minutes later, Justin came back in from going out to question a subject with Neville. "Hey," Justin said taking off his cloak and slinging it over his chair.

"Hey," Ethan said. "Guess what?"

Justin shrugged. "What?"

"I'm going with my dad to Reading this weekend to tag Dolohov," Ethan could barely contain his excitement.

"No way!" Justin exclaimed. "Are you serious?"

Ethan nodded. "He was just in here!"

"That's great, Ethan," Justin grinned.

"I'll be gone all weekend," Ethan told him.

"So I guess we should find someone else to take your place in the match this weekend?" Justin asked.

"Sorry mate," Ethan said sheepishly.

Justin laughed. "It's a no-brainer, really. Let's see on the one hand you have a case that could make or break your career or you could play a match with us...."

"Some other weekend, I promise." Ethan stuffed the Dolohov file into his case. "I've got to hit the archives before I go home."

"I have to finish up some paperwork for Neville," Justin grumbled.

"I'm sure you won't be here too much longer," Ethan stood up and reached for his cloak.

"Right," Justin said sarcastically. "Get out of here, Hot Shot."

"I'll see you," Ethan said as he left the office. He spent about an hour in the archives digging out as much information as he could before taking off for his house.

"Mads!" Ethan called out when he opened the door to their home.

"I'm in the kitchen!" Maddie called back.

Ethan hurried into the kitchen and saw his wife cooking dinner, with Blue looking adoringly on from his cage. "I had the best day, Maddie."

Maddie turned to him with a smile. "What happened?" she asked after giving him a kiss.

He excitedly told her about what he would doing that weekend. "Can you believe it?"

"I think that's wonderful," Maddie gave him a hug.

Ethan hugged her tightly. "Me too."

"You'll finally get to show your dad just how great you are," Maddie said proudly.

"I've been waiting for this," Ethan told her, even though she knew. "I've been working hard and now I have this chance to prove myself to him, Maddie."

Maddie kissed him again. "I'm so excited for you, Ethan. This is going to do wonders for your career."

"It's not just that," Ethan said. "Antonin Dolohov tried to kill my mum. Nikolai's trying to continue their twisted family tradition. I want to put him back behind bars, Maddie.”

She nodded. "I know you'll do it."

Ethan beamed at her. "I hope so."

"What do you think, Blue?" Maddie asked. "Are you proud of Daddy?"

Ethan laughed as the pixie rattled his cage. "I'll take that as a yes."

"We can let him out for a few minutes," Maddie unlocked the door.

Blue flew out of the cage causing Ethan to grin at his exuberance. "I don't remember Dolly being this animated, Mads."

"Blue's got a personality all his own," Maddie laughed as the pixie zoomed around their heads.

"That and he gets to fly out of his cage more often than Dolly," Ethan said with a laugh. "Your dad made you keep Dolly in that cage all the time."

"I think part of that reason is because Dolly was wild when we caught her," Maddie said as Blue landed on her shoulder.

"That and she loved to cause trouble," Ethan said. He looked over at the kitchen table. An old photo album lay open and Ethan peered over it. "That's your old house in Ireland, isn't it?"

Maddie nodded. "Mum owled me and told me they finally sold it. They've been renting it these past years since we moved back."

"It's bigger than I remembered it being," Ethan commented.

"I really liked that house," Maddie said thoughtfully. "It's really the first one I remember living in."

"I think you were the only one," Ethan said remembering how the other Weasley children were not too pleased to move away from home.

***

It was summer and all the Weasley children wanted to do was have fun with their friends, but the moment the older children had returned from Hogwarts, Ron and Luna had broken the news about the move. Needless to say none of them arrived in Ireland all that happy.

Maddie tumbled out of the new fireplace with her mother and laughed. "Mummy that was fun! Can we do it again!"

Luna smiled at her youngest daughter. "Sometime soon," she agreed.

"This place looks really old," Darla commented picking up a tarp and peering under it. "And dusty!"

"I bet it's haunted," Drew said shivering as she looked around. "And it smells...."

"It does not smell," Luna told her. "It's a very nice house. And you three all get your own rooms here."

"And that smell might be your little brother," Ron said picking RJ up out of his carrier.

"Gross!" Darla exclaimed. "What did you feed him anyway, Dad? Beans?"

"No," Ron said defensively.

"I'll change him," Luna offered. "How about you show the boys where their room is."

"Wait," Josh said holding his hand up. "You just said that Darla, Drew and Maddie get their own room. Please don't tell me I have to room with the pig?"

"You ALL get your own rooms," Ron said.

"And I am not a pig," Jon poked his brother's shoulder.

"You are the messiest person on the planet," Josh shoved him. "And you're always losing things and wonder why..."

"At least I'm not--" Jon began.

"Boys!" Ron got between them. "Let me show you your new rooms. Come on."

Jon rolled his eyes at Josh before following their father upstairs. "Dad did we really have to move here?" he asked. "Wasn't there a way we could have stayed in England with everyone else?"

"We moved here because of the shop, Jonathan," Ron replied. "And it's not like I moved you lot to the ends of the earth...you can still see your friends."

"I know," Jon said glumly, thinking of one friend in particular.

"I'm going to take a few pictures later and owl them to Julie," Josh announced.

Jon smirked. "And I'm sure she'll sleep with them under her pillow every night."

Josh shoved him. "Shut up, Jon."

"I'm not the one in love with a girl that'll never see me that way," Jon replied sarcastically.

Josh reddened. "I'm not in love with Julie."

Ron stifled a laugh. "Okay, Josh ...this is yours...."

Josh pushed past his brother and into his new bedroom.

Ron clapped his son on the back. "See, you have your old desk...and your books..."

"Thanks Dad," Josh smiled at him. "It's great..."

Ron grinned. "I'm glad you like it, Josh."

"Is mine the one across the hall?" Jon asked.

Ron nodded. "We hooked up the old television in there for you so you can play those games..."

"Bloody brilliant!" Jon said, racing into the room.

Ron followed him inside. He was glad that his sons liked their rooms.

Josh followed a few minutes later with a picture frame. "Did Mum do this one for me?"

The photo was of the twins with Julie, Ethan, Frankie, Allison and Chiaki.

"I think so," Ron nodded.

Josh grinned. "This is great."

"Why didn't I get one, too?" Jon asked grabbing for the frame.

"Why would you want it?" Josh asked, snatching it away.

"They're my friends too," Jon said reaching for it again. "Come on, Josh! Let me see it!"

Josh reluctantly handed it over. "Don't smudge it up."

Jon rolled his eyes. "I'm not going to." He sat down on the bed and looked at the photo that was taken last Christmas. Josh was looking adoringly at Julie. But that wasn't what caught Jon's eye. He looked at the pretty brunette who had her arm around Frankie.

Ron pointed his wand at the photo and duplicated it. "If you both like it, you can both have one," he said.

Jon smiled. "Thanks, Dad."

"Why did you want this picture?" Josh asked when Ron left the room.

"I just did," Jon lied setting it down beside his bed. "Have you heard from Allie since we last saw her on the train?"

"No," Josh replied. "She'll probably write to me later this week."

Jon nodded and wondered if maybe he should write her. He didn't have long to ponder over this because Maddie launched herself at him. "Jon! Come see my roooooooooooooooom!"

"What's so special about your room?" he teased his baby sister.

Maddie gave him her look. "Come see, Jon! You too, Joshie!"

Jon shared a look with his twin. "How does she do that?"

Josh laughed. "I don't know. Okay, Mad Dog. Lead the way!"

Maddie eagerly took their hands in hers. "Dolly has her own little area where she can live!"

"Is this your imaginary friend?" Jon asked teasingly.

"She names everything Dolly," Josh reminded his brother.

"It's my teddy bear," Maddie told them. "But she can talk to me!"

"What does she say?" Jon asked picking her up and tickling her side.

"I can't tell," Maddie giggled. "It's a secret!"

Josh opened the door to Maddie's room and grinned. "Madeline Molly....everything's pink...."

"I love pink!" Maddie said excitedly.

"We couldn't tell," Jon said dryly. His sister's twin bed was covered with about 20 stuffed animals and dolls.

Maddie wriggled out of Jon's grasp. "Dolly lives over here," she ran to one of the shelves in the corner. "And my princess tower is my bed!"

"And you're really going to sleep in here?" Jon asked. "You've been sleeping with Mum and Dad forever, Mads."

"But this is my big girl room," Maddie told him.

"Oh," Jon grinned. "I forgot, Maddie."

When Ron had finished with Maddie, he'd gone to check on his twin daughters. While Darla seemed to be unpacking her room, Drew was staring listlessly out at the backyard.

"It's a big yard," Ron said from behind her.

"It's okay," Drew shrugged.

"We can put up some swings," Ron suggested.

"It still won't be like home," Drew complained.

"You can make it like home," Ron said putting his arm around her.

Drew felt only a little better as her father gave her a hug.

"Sweetheart, I know you miss home," Ron said softly. "But this is going to be good for the family. You'll see."

"Maybe," Drew moved away from the window and towards her boxes on the other side of the room.

Out of all of his children, Drew was the most sensitive and Ron knew the move was going to be hardest on her.

"Nana and Grandpa will stop by all the time," Ron told her. "And Grandpa Ernie, too."

"I'll just miss everyone," Drew said quietly, sitting on the edge of her bed. "I hate it here, Daddy."

Ron sat down beside her. "I know, sweetheart. But you haven't given this place a chance. We've only been here a few minutes, Drew."

Drew leaned against him. "I love it back in England."

"I know," Ron said feeling guilty yet again for uprooting his family. "You'll be starting Hogwarts in a couple of months though."

Drew smiled a bit. "I am excited about that," she admitted.

"And your mum and me are going to miss you something fierce," Ron told her.

"I'll miss you too," Drew hugged him. "I love you, Daddy."

"I love you too," Ron said hugging her tightly. "No matter where we are."

"Drew!" Maddie came running in. "Come see my room!"

Drew shook her head. "Maybe later, Maddie."

"Please," Maddie said. "I don't want you to be sad Drew..."

"Okay," Drew relented taking her father's hand. "Come on, Daddy."

"It's my most favourite room ever," Maddie chattered away.

Darla joined them in the corridor. "It's the only room you've ever had other than the nursery you shared with RJ, Maddie."

"But it's still my most favourite!" Maddie insisted. "It's pink and it's got new toys!"

Drew followed her sister into the room and she could see why Maddie was so enamoured of it. But, this wasn't their real home. And she'd gladly go back to sharing a room with Darla if it meant that they could go home. "It's nice, Maddie."

"It's better than nice," Maddie jumped onto her bed. "It's the bestest room and house ever!"

Luna laughed as she joined her family. "I'm so glad you love it, Maddie. We had a feeling you would."

Maddie bounced off the bed and ran to her mother. "Can we get a pet?"

"We already have a pig," Josh mused earning a shove from Jon.

"That's not nice Josh," Maddie said.

"I was only joking," Josh said hastily.

"What sort of pet do you want, love?" Luna asked.

Drew rolled her eyes and whispered to Darla. "She'd ask for the zoo and they'd probably give it to her."

Darla giggled while Maddie thought for a moment. "I want a pixie!"

"A pixie?" Luna asked.

"A Cornish pixie," Maddie nodded. "Tomorrow?"

"We'll think about it," Luna said brushing a strand of hair behind Maddie's ear.

"Please?" Maddie gave her mother her special look.

"We'll think about it," Luna said firmly.

"Hey Maddie," Jon said with a grin. "Ask Mum and Dad if they'll buy you a new racing broom that I can use."

"It only works for things she wants," Drew said angrily. "I bet if she'd wanted to stay, we would have!"

"Drew," Luna said softly.

"Just leave me alone," Drew said before running out of the room.

"Why don't you all keep unpacking before bed," Ron said, looking over at his wife. "We need to talk to Drew."

"Daddy can I help?" Maddie asked. "I make everybody happy."

Ron smiled. "I think its best if you just let us handle it, sweetheart."

"Okay," Maddie was subdued. "I don't like when Drew's sad."

Ron gave her a hug. "Me either."

"Why don't you go unpack your books and put them on the shelf?" Luna suggested.

Maddie nodded. "Okay, Mummy."

Ron and Luna left Maddie and went to their oldest daughter's room. "Drew?" Luna knocked softly on the door. "Let us in, sweetheart."

Drew opened the door, but avoided looking at her parents.

"Sweetheart your father and I don't want you to be unhappy," Luna began. "We love you so much."

"I just want to go home," Drew said wiping at her eyes. "That's all."

"You are home," Ron sat down on the bed and pulled her into his lap. "Like it or not, this is our home now."

"This is a wonderful opportunity for your father, Drew," Luna said gently. "And with such a large family, we need this. I know you don't understand..."

Drew sniffled back her tears. "I just miss our house in England. It's where I always lived."

"Home isn't just where you live," Luna said softly. "It's your family and we're all right here."

Drew nodded and wiped her eyes. "I'll try to like it here..."

A knock on the door made all three of them look up. "Drew," Maddie said. "I have a present for you."

Drew looked over at her. "What?"

Maddie held out one of her favourite stuffed animals, a large pink pig. "You can have Dolly."

Drew shook her head. "I can't take that, Maddie. That's yours."

"But I want you to have it," Maddie said. "It'll make you feel better."

Drew took it from her sister. "Thanks, Maddie. That's really sweet of you."

Maddie hugged her. "I don't like you to be sad."

Drew smiled as she hugged her sister back.

***

"You never let anyone be upset for long, did you?" Ethan asked his wife. "And you really did name everything Dolly."

Maddie laughed. "Well, I always did like that name and I never have liked seeing anyone I love upset or sad. You know that."

"I know that," Ethan reached for her hand.

"And I am so happy for you right now," Maddie said giving him a hug.

"The only bad thing about this assignment is I'll have to be away from you," Ethan wrapped his arms around her.

"Just promise me that you'll be careful," Maddie said softly.

"I'll be extra careful," Ethan said.

Maddie kissed him. "You'd better be. I don't want anything to happen to you, Ethan."

"I'm not about to let anything happen," Ethan pressed his lips to hers. "Not when everything in my life is this perfect."

"It really is, isn't it?" Maddie asked dreamily.

"I got the perfect girl," Ethan kissed the side of her neck. "Perfect house..."

"Perfect pixie," Maddie grinned as Blue buzzed happily around them.

Ethan laughed "Perfect pixie," he agreed.

"I wonder what Blue and I will do when you're gone," Maddie said thoughtfully.

"Eat fish and chips?" Ethan joked.

"There's an idea," Maddie said. "But you know, he has developed quite the taste for pizza lately.”

"Pizza?" Ethan asked. "Why didn't you say something- I'd have stopped off at Antonio’s on my way home."

"Because I'm cooking," Maddie told him. "And I hope that you are hungry."

"I'm hungry for quite a few things I won't get this weekend," Ethan commented.

Maddie grinned. "Hmmm... well, after dinner, we'll see if we can do something to tide you over."

"That's always a good dessert," Ethan said, his eyes dark.

"It's my most favourite," Maddie said. "It's even above chocolate chip muffins."

"I rank above chocolate chip muffins?" Ethan acted surprised.

"Absolutely," Maddie said walking back over to the stove. "Above chocolate chip muffins, crisps, and spaghetti."

Ethan shook his head. "I don't know what to say," he teased.

"You should be very honoured," Maddie said.

"I am," Ethan put his arms around her waist.

"I love you," Maddie said turning her head to give him a kiss.

"I love you too," Ethan said. "I'm such a lucky bloke to have you."

Maddie smiled at him. "I'm the lucky one."

"You're the one who's lucky to eat off my plate," Ethan teased.

"Ah," Maddie grinned. "One of the many perks of being Mrs. Ethan Potter."

174. 174

Authors' note: This is the last chapter we're going to post for awhile. Our hiatus on this story begins now and we're going to pause the story. We've decided to stop posting now because if we left off with what we've written up to, we'd leave you with a major cliffie and we don't want to do that.

At this point, we're going to guess and say that we'll begin working on and posting this story again in a month tops- probably even a bit sooner. We appreciate your patience and we'll see you on the flip side with some brand new work very soon!

There was just one week of school left, and while Saffron was busy studying, her mind was also busy wandering ahead into the summer holidays. She couldn't wait to go to Brighton and be able to see Andrew every single day.

"Saffy," Alexa poked her friend with her quill. "You're daydreaming again... and let me guess... Wizard McDreamy?" she teased.

Saffron broke out of her reverie and looked at her friend. "Maybe."

Alexa shook her head. "It's not like you'll have any trouble on your exams anyway."

"I am a little concerned about potions," Saffron admitted.

"Even Snape wouldn't dare fail you," Alexa said loyally.

"Yeah, but he's still giving me a hard time," Saffron said frowning. "Which is why I plan on acing his exam."

"That's the spirit," Alexa looked at her History of Magic notes.

Mimi and Beth came into the library whispering about something. Saffron waved them over. The four of them were going to have a study group and as always Beth and Mimi were late.

"Saffy you aren't going to BELIEVE what we just saw," Beth said in a hushed voice.

Saffron rolled her eyes. "I don't really care if Professor Wood was wearing jeans, Beth."

"Show it to her Meems," Beth said.

"No," Mimi replied. "I'm scared of her reaction."

"What do you mean my reaction?" Saffron asked. "You two act like I'm going to attack you."

"It's not us we're worried about," Beth pulled a rolled up newspaper out of Mimi's hand. "It's RJ."

A concerned expression came over Alexa's face. "He's not hurt, is he?"

"He's going to be after Saffy gets through with him," Beth replied.

Saffron grabbed the paper and stared at the front page. On it was a picture of her boyfriend with RJ, both of them surrounded by about ten gorgeous women.

"What does it say?" Alexa asked.

"Quidditch foes and best mates Andrew Kirke Jr. and RJ Weasley let off some steam at one of London's hottest night spots," Saffron read aloud. "The long-time friends are looking forward to the new season which starts in a couple of months, but for one night anyway, Quidditch was the furthest thing on their minds..."

"Andrew wouldn't cheat on you Saffy," Alexa interrupted. "That's just rubbish."

"A source close to both boys told us that the boys partied with a gorgeous gaggle of models until 3 a.m.," Saffron continued. "They left the club looking like the night wasn't about to end."

"Rubbish," Alexa repeated. "We have studying to do, you guys."

"RJ Weasley could be heard telling his friend to forget about his girlfriend for the night," Saffron said her grip tightening on the paper. She'd seriously considered making amends with RJ. And now...all that anger she felt for him rose to the surface again.

"RJ didn't say that," Alexa said grabbing for the paper.

Saffron narrowed her eyes. "Oh it sounds just like him," she said, her words dripping with malice.

"This is a tabloid," Alexa pointed out. "They're known for embellishing."

Saffron crumpled the paper in her hand. "I can't believe I was thinking of becoming friends with that wanker again." she said.

"Saffy---" Alexa said.

Saffron shook her head. "I know Andrew would never cheat on me. But RJ's a bastard. Just because he gets himself pissed every night and shags a different girl doesn't give him ANY right to tell Andrew to forget about me!"

"It was just one night," Alexa pointed out. "And you know just as well as anyone how these trashy tabloids like to stir up trouble. They are still trying to do it with your parents."

Saffron stuffed the crumpled paper into her bag and sat back down. "Let's study," she said sharply.

"Um, yeah," Beth said taking a seat on the other side of the table.

Mimi reluctantly took the seat next to Saffron. "Please don't hit me," she said. "I have a date with Jake this weekend and I don't want a black eye."

"I. Am. Not. Going. To. Hit. You," Saffron said tersely.

"People always blame the messengers," Mimi whined.

"Moving on," Alexa said. "Let's see...what did we want to start with?"

"I need a little help with my Potions," Beth said quickly. "Saffy?"

"I'll help you," Saffron said trying to forget about her anger.

"Thanks," Beth said, kicking Mimi under the table.

"Ow!" Mimi glared at her. "Um... I need help with Potions too?"

Saffron looked at them. "I know what you're trying to do..."

"I really need help!" Beth said. "Honestly, Saffy."

Saffron grabbed her Potions text. "Okay. Let's get to work."

"I'll go over my Potions stuff as well then," Alexa said. "Studying together will help."

"Here comes Mary Ellen," Beth whispered. The Hufflepuff was Saffron's biggest competition for Head Girl next year.

"Hello, Potter," Mary Ellen said sweetly. "I see you're studying Potions. Do you need any help?"

"No," Saffron replied icily. She so wasn't in the mood to deal with Mary Ellen right now.

"I had my Potions exam yesterday and I think I passed with flying colours," Mary Ellen bragged.

"Congratulations, Mary Ellen," Alexa told her. "But we'd really like to get back to studying."

"Oh but if you like," Mary Ellen said in a sneaky tone. "I can tell you exactly what's on the exam."

"And have you running back to Snape to tell him I cheated?" Saffron snorted. "Thanks but no thanks. Run along."

"You know," Mary Ellen said leaning against the table. "I cannot wait until I'm Head Girl next year. I get to have my very own room..."

"You don't know that you're going to be Head Girl," Beth snapped. "Saffy has a much better chance than you do."

"Well, I may not have the Minister for Magic for a mother or some hero for a father, but I have better marks than Saffron, especially in Potions," Mary Ellen huffed.

"Says you," Mimi returned. "And after Saffy passes her exam tomorrow, you'll be second, as you always are and should be."

"And Saffron has never, ever used her name to get anything," Alexa retorted. "She's worked hard for everything she's gotten."

"And I'm sure she never pressured her sister to talk to her good 'friend' the Headmaster?" Mary Ellen sneered.

Saffron shut her book and stood up. "Mary Ellen, my sister has never, ever given me special treatment. And I'd appreciate it if you'd stop insinuating that she is. And her personal life doesn't concern you and if I find out you've been spreading rumours about her..."

"I don't spread rumours," Mary Ellen's face took on an angelic look.

"I wish you luck, Mary Ellen," Saffron said in an equally saccharine tone. "May the best girl win."

"Don't worry," Mary Ellen smirked at her. "I will."

With that, the girl sauntered out of the library.

"What a cow!" Alexa seethed.

"Tell me about it," Beth nodded. "Although I'm surprised to hear you say it, Lex." she teased.

"I know I'm usually quiet, but I couldn't help it," Alexa said.

"It's kind of a nice change," Mimi said.

Saffron only rolled her eyes and looked down at her notes again. "Whatever," she muttered.

"You okay, Saffy?" Alexa asked gently.

"Fine," Saffron said tightly. "I just really want to study right now."

Alexa nodded. "Okay, I think we should go over the Chapter Three potions first. They're the most difficult."

Saffron turned her book to the right page. "Oh... I thought these were pretty easy. It's all about mixing them in the exact order they're written."

"That's what you say," Mimi teased.

Saffron smiled a bit. "If he does any of these on the exam, just do them right in this order, and the right amount of each ingredient. You know how on some potions you can mess about with adding in things whenever? With these, you can't just do that."

"I just hope I get through the exam without burning my eyelashes," Mimi said shuddering.

"Good luck with at," Beth replied. "Last time it was your eyebrows."

"I was completely mortified," Mimi remembered. "It took a month for them to grow back!"

Alexa grinned. "So I'm guessing this time you'll remember how to do the potion the right way."

"Thanks to Saffy's help," Mimi said smiling at her friend.

"I didn't do that much," Saffron said, flipping to another chapter in her potions text.

"You did," Beth assured her. "You've always helped us out when we needed it. And even though we're scared of you, you've always been a great friend."

Saffron smiled. "Thanks you guys. I appreciate that."

Alexa smiled at her friend. "And we'd all be in a world of trouble if she hadn't helped us out."

"She's going to be going on an ego trip if we don't stop complimenting her," Beth teased.

"Yeah, you guys better stop before I get an even bigger head," Saffron said balling up a piece of parchment and throwing it at Beth.

Mimi smiled at her. "What else do we need to work on?"

"Potions is tomorrow," Alexa said. "And then we have Charms tomorrow and then History of Magic on Thursday."

"What a week," Mimi leaned back in her chair. "I'm not going to be able to spend any time with Jake."

"At least you're finally over Ollie," Alexa teased.

Beth snorted. "Like she ever had a chance."

"Because he was so besotted with you, right?" Saffron asked.

"He should be," Beth replied.

"Beth," Alexa said shaking her head.

"Let's get back to Potions," Saffron replied. "The sooner we study it the sooner we can get on with our lives."

"Exactly," Alexa agreed. The four girls made quite a bit of headway in their revising. Before long, they were breaking for dinner. Beth and Mimi went on ahead so they could catch up to Jake.

Alexa stuffed her books into her bag. "I have to write back to Gabriel after dinner," she said. "Want me to tell him you said hello?"

"Yeah," Saffron replied. "In fact, I should write to him, too."

"Are you going to write to Andrew?" Alexa ventured.

"Of course," Saffron said. "And I'm going to ask him why he remains friends with that arse."

"Saffy..." Alexa sighed.

"You read that article," Saffron argued.

"You don't know that he actually said it though," Alexa replied calmly. "Come on... you said you were going to patch things up. Don't let this throw you back."

"You just concentrate on Gabriel," Saffron said. "And leave RJ to me."

"Saffy!" Alexa exclaimed.

Saffron just shrugged her shoulders and walked ahead of her friend.

Alexa thought Saffron was just looking for excuses to stay angry at RJ. "Are you mad at me now?" she called after her.

Saffron turned and looked at her. "I just don't understand how you can just forgive and forget? And how you can take up for him after all that he did to you!"

"Because I'm over it," Alexa said. "I've moved on, Saffy. I'm with Gabe and I'm very happy."

"And you want to be friends with him?" Saffron asked angrily.

"I don't see why not," Alexa admitted.

Saffron shook her head. "You are way too forgiving," she said. "I'm going to give him a piece of my mind."

"Saffron, he's not even going to be in Brighton," Alexa pointed out. "You're going to ruin your holiday with Andrew..."

"After RJ said what he said in the paper, Andrew's got to realise what an arse he really is," Saffron spoke the password and walked into the common room.

Alexa remained silent. She couldn't believe Saffron was taking the words printed in that tabloid as the truth.

"In fact, I'm going to send him a Howler," Saffron replied, almost as an afterthought.

"Saffron!" Alexa exclaimed.

"He deserves it," Saffron replied, heading upstairs to their room.

Alexa decided to leave her alone. "I'll catch up to you later.”

"Fine," Saffron answered.

Back in London, RJ and Andrew were sitting in their kitchen eating pizza with Jason.

"Those girls were around us for what five minutes?" RJ asked looking at the paper in the middle of the table. "And then you and I were leaving the club with them to do God knows what. Not to mention them saying that I was telling you to forget about Saffron, when I never said anything like that."

Andrew shook his head. "Those papers are total trash. They're the ones who printed all those stories about you and Serena too."

Jason laughed. "So you were around ten hot birds and you did nothing?"

"Pretty much," Andrew said with a grin.

"I just got out of a headache with Serena Starr," RJ told him. "There was no way I was getting back into it with a bunch of her clones."

Jason shook his head. "I'll have to tell Monica that. She was worried that by coming over here to have dinner with you guys, I'd be coming into an orgy."

RJ threw his head back in laughter. "Oh the tales I could tell."

"He wishes," Andrew said reaching for another slice.

"Hasn't he always wished?" Jason cracked.

"That was you, Jason," RJ returned.

"Okay, okay," Jason said. "You two superstars make sure you aren't doing anything in August. You're my groomsmen."

"I promise to be there," Andrew said. "You and Monica, man. I think that's awesome."

Jason leaned back in his chair. "I think so, too."

"I still don't see myself getting married, not for a long while." RJ said, grabbing another slice of pizza.

"Who'd have you?" Jason joked.

"Not Serena," Andrew quipped before he could stop himself.

"Good one, Kirke," RJ said getting to his feet. He headed for the icebox but stopped when he heard a tapping on the window. He turned to see an old barn owl just outside. "Mail call."

"I'll get it," Andrew stood up and opened the window.

Andrew turned a little pale when he saw the red envelope. He'd been dreading this all day. Saffron had to have seen the paper. But as he took the envelope, he was surprised to see it wasn't addressed to him, but to RJ.

"Who's it for?" RJ asked.

"Me..." Andrew said quickly, thinking he'd take it into his room and get rid of it.

"Saffron Grace Potter," Jason said with a shudder. "You knew it was coming, buddy."

"Saffron sent you a Howler?" RJ rolled his eyes and they fell onto the name on the envelope. "Hey that's not to you, that's to me. She's sending ME a Howler?"

Andrew nodded. "Yeah, but let's not open it."

"You have to," Jason pointed out.

"The longer you wait, the worse it is," RJ said taking the envelope from Andrew. "Besides, let's get this over with."

Andrew shook his head. "Fine..."

RJ slowly opened the envelope and jumped back as the sound of Saffron's angry voice filled the room.

"RJ WEASLEY, JUST WHEN I THINK YOU CAN'T SINK ANY LOWER, YOU SURPRISE ME AGAIN. IT'S BAD ENOUGH THAT YOU'VE RUINED EVERYTHING IN YOUR LIFE, BUT NOW YOU'VE DECIDED TO TAKE ANDREW ALONG FOR THE RIDE. YOU MIGHT HAVE FORGOTTEN THAT YOU HAD A GIRLFRIEND, BUT ANDREW ISN'T THE TYPE OF PERSON WHO COULD DO THAT.”

Andrew winced at her words. "This has gone too far," he said angrily.

RJ watched as the letter disintegrated. "Its okay, Andrew. I've gotten used to it."

"But she should know better!" Andrew shook his head. "Damn it I am so sick of being put in the middle with her!"

"What are you going to do, mate?" Jason asked.

"I don't know yet," Andrew said. "But I'm not putting up with this anymore."

"Andrew--" RJ started to say.

"Don't," Andrew held up his hand. "Just don't, okay?"

RJ nodded. "So, how about another beer?"

"I don't feel like it right now," Andrew said. "I'll see you lot later."

RJ felt guilty that he was coming between Saffron and Andrew. If only Saffron would have left well enough alone and at least tried to forgive him for what had happened.

"What's her problem?" Jason asked when Andrew left. "Hasn't it been over between you and Alexa for awhile?"

"Yeah," RJ answered. "And she constantly tries to pit Andrew against me. It's really ridiculous. And he's been really patient, but I think he's held it in too long. He does that sometimes and then it all comes out at once."

"Doesn't look good for them," Jason commented.

RJ shrugged. "If it doesn't work out, it's her own fault for being a stubborn brat."

In his bedroom, Andrew was thinking the exact same thing. He'd had it up to here with this. They were leaving for Brighton in a few days and for the first time, he wasn't looking forward to seeing her. They needed to have a long talk about this.

He tried several times to write her a letter but gave up. Feeling frustrated, he grabbed his broom and took off for a night time ride to clear his head.

He would have expected her anger to be directed to him, if she'd had any at all. Those tabloids were notorious for printing rubbish, but she'd believed it just the same. It was almost as if she was looking for an excuse to keep her anger toward RJ going.

"That's all it is," he muttered. "An excuse. And now she's dragging me into it."

He was through with this. She was either going to let this go, or he'd ask her if this grudge was worth destroying their relationship.

175. 175

Well guys, we’re baaaaaaaaaaaack!! This goes into the beginning of Brighton! Lots of stuff will be happening soon so make sure you stick around!

Josh sighed as he dug into the dresser where they kept Casey's swim costume and summer clothes. His wife was supposed to have packed the kids' bags last night, but as usual, she hadn't come home until half past three that morning, and was gone again five hours later.

Lizzy had been working overtime constantly as of late, and Josh felt like he'd hardly seen his wife in ages.

"Da," Casey cooed from the floor where she was playing with her blocks. "Hi, hi!"

"Hi baby," Josh smiled at his daughter. "What are you building down there?"

"Cas-el," Casey replied.

"A castle?" Josh asked, setting the little garments on the bed. "How about Daddy helps you?"

Casey nodded eagerly. "Da hep."

"Daddy would love to help," Josh squatted down. "But that's only if your brothers stay asleep."

Casey put her little finger to her lips. "Shhhh...."

Josh grinned at her. "That's my smart girl, Case."

Josh helped Casey build a pyramid and she looked in awe as her father built a tower around it.

"Big," Casey said, clapping her little hands together.

"Very big," Josh agreed. "When we go to Brighton, we'll build a sand castle."

"Oooh," Casey's eyes grew big. "Beach?"

Josh nodded and tweaked her nose. "With Emma and Hannah and Caroline. Would you like that?"

Casey nodded. "Go now!"

Josh smiled at her. "We'll go right after Mummy gets home."

"Kay," Casey said, knocking over the tower.

Josh laughed. "That's my girl."

Casey giggled as her father stood up and began putting her clothes into one of the bags on the dresser.

"No-ah!" Casey squealed when her brother peered at her from the crib. "Da! No-ah!"

"Ahhhh, so monster number two is up..." Josh grinned as Noah used the bars on his crib to pull himself up.

Noah yawned as Josh picked him up.

"You still sleepy little guy?" Josh asked.

Noah nodded and buried his face in Josh's shoulder.

"You can go back to sleep," Josh patted his back. "Like Aidan."

"No!" Casey said tugging on her father's leg. "Beach!"

Josh shook his head. "We go to the beach when Mummy comes home."

"No-ah help Casey," Casey said motioning toward the blocks.

"How about you help your sister make a castle?" Josh asked Noah.

Noah nodded and Josh set him down. "You two be good. Daddy will be right back."

"Bye Daddy," Casey waved.

Josh gave them one last look before heading down the corridor toward his office.

He grabbed some of his papers he wanted to take with and put them in his case. He had been thinking about writing a follow up to his book and Brighton would be the perfect time to sit back and look over his notes.

"Josh?" Lizzy called out. "Where are you?"

He was surprised to hear her home so early. "In my office," he replied.

Lizzy came into the room and smiled at him. "Hiya, stranger."

"Hey," Josh said. "I'm just getting the kids packed."

The smile fell from Lizzy's face. "Um, Josh...about that..."

Josh stared at his wife. "Don't even tell me you're not coming."

Lizzy looked down at the floor. "We're already short a few healers and when Pansy asked if I could work this weekend, I---"

"Liz," Josh said in dismay. "This is our only holiday time we have all year."

"I'm not going to miss the whole holiday," Lizzy tried to reassure him. "Just the first few days. If you're worried that you'll be overwhelmed with the kids by yourself, you'll have your folks there to help..."

"They're not coming this year," Josh reminded her. "You know that."

"Oh," Lizzy said sheepishly. "Um, well Allie and Jon would help and Nick and Jules..."

"But I want you there," Josh said quietly. "You're my wife and I've hardly seen you in a month."

"That's not true," Lizzy argued. "We've seen each other, Josh."

"When we say goodnight and good morning," Josh pointed out.

Lizzy sighed. "That's not true. Look, you know how demanding my job is. You took this extended leave of absence from yours to write your book and to stay with the children. I'm not going to have you make me feel guilty for that."

"I'm not trying to make you feel guilty," Josh said angrily. "But lately it seems your job is more important to you than we are!"

Lizzy looked at him as if he'd slapped her. "Oh yes, comments like that aren't designed to make me feel guilty! You know how much you and the kids mean to me."

Josh shook his head. "Look, do what you want then."

Casey and Noah had toddled down the hall when they heard their mother's voice. "Mama," Casey said softly.

Lizzy spun around. "Look at you two," she said, a smile on her face.

Casey held her arms up. "Mama home!"

Lizzy lifted Casey up first then hugged Noah to her. "I missed my babies," she said, turning her back to her husband.

"Don't you think you should tell them?" Josh asked bitterly.

"Let's go see if Aidan's up," Lizzy said to her children.

"Kay," Noah said happily.

Casey shook her head. "Go beach."

"You're going to go in just a bit," Lizzy promised. "But I'm not going to come until later, baby."

"Go now," Casey said stubbornly.

"In just a minute, sweetheart," Lizzy said patting her back. "We need to make sure you're packed."

"They are," Josh said quietly. "I did it."

"Mama go too," Casey said as Lizzy set her and Noah down.

"Sweetheart," Lizzy said sitting down with them. "Mummy has to work, but I promise I'll come in a couple of days."

"No," Casey pouted.

"Case," Lizzy said softly. "You know I'd rather be with you, but Mummy has to help make sure no one gets sick or hurt."

Josh wanted to say he knew how his daughter felt but stayed silent.

Noah rested his head on his mother's shoulder. "Love, Mama."

"I love you too," Lizzy kissed the top of his head. "I'll miss you three so much."

Aidan started to stir and Josh stepped past them to get his other son. "Hey, little guy."

"Da," Aidan blinked and rubbed his eyes.

"Did you pack their toys, too?" Lizzy asked.

"Yes," Josh said testily. "I'm capable of packing everything."

Lizzy ignored his tone. "I didn't say you weren't."

"Fine," Josh said tersely.

"Fine," Lizzy echoed. "Hey, Casey, Noah. Do you want to carry anything special with you that Daddy might have forgotten?"

"Bear," Noah pointed to his crib.

Lizzy grinned. It was one of the teddy bears that Lizzy's parents had given to each of the triplets. "We can't forget your bear."

"My bear too!" Casey said.

"Yours, too," Lizzy said standing up and retrieving the bears. "Where's Aidan's?"

"Downstairs I think," Josh replied, shrinking the bags down and putting them in his pocket.

"We'll get it on the way out," Lizzy said picking up Casey.

Josh feigned a bit of shock. "You mean you'll help drop them off?"

Lizzy glared at him. "Come on, then."

Josh held Aidan and Noah while Lizzy carried Casey to the fireplace. "Ready guys?" he asked his sons.

Noah nodded. "Beach!"

"That's my smart boy," Lizzy grinned at her son.

Aidan put his arms around Josh's neck. "Em."

"You want to go see Em?" Josh asked. "She'll be there tonight too! I bet she'll play blocks with you lot."

Casey grinned. "Em!"

Josh managed to toss a pinch of Floo powder into the fireplace and held on tightly to his sons as they headed for the Brighton house.

Casey held on tightly to Lizzy and didn't let go. Once they arrived at the beach house, she looked up at her mother. "No like."

"Come on baby," Lizzy coaxed. "It's a nice house!"

"She doesn't like travelling by Floo," Josh said quietly.

"Oh," Lizzy looked down at her daughter. "I'm sorry baby."

"Hello, Josh," Hermione said coming out of the kitchen. "Lizzy! And look at you three!"

"Hi Aunt Hermione," Josh smiled at her. "Thanks for inviting us again this year."

Hermione took Aidan and placed a kiss on his cheek. "We couldn't have a holiday without these three," Hermione said grinning at the toddler. "Julie and Nick and the girls arrived a few minutes ago."

Lizzy noticed how Josh's eyes lit up at the mention of Julie and she rolled her eyes.

"Great," he said. "We can't wait to hit the beach in a little while."

Noah held out his hand to Hermione. "Em?"

Hermione laughed. "They're not here yet, sweetheart."

"I want Em," Casey said as Lizzy set her down.

"I should get back," she said quietly.

"You're not staying?" Hermione asked.

Lizzy shook her head. "I have to work, but I'll be back in a couple of days."

"Such a shame," Josh said sarcastically.

"It's two days Josh," Lizzy argued, trying to remain calm.

"Fine," Josh replied coolly. "Have fun."

"I'm just going to check and see if Julie needs any help unpacking," Hermione said putting Aidan down.

"Come on you three," Josh said. "Let Daddy show you your room."

"Mama," Casey said tugging at Lizzy's leg. "Mama stay."

"I'm sorry sweetheart," Lizzy crouched down and kissed her daughter's forehead. "But you'll have so much fun on the beach with Daddy and Noah and Aidan tomorrow!"

"Come on, Case," Josh said. "Mummy will be back...hopefully."

"Josh!" Lizzy stood up and glared at him. "That is completely uncalled for!"

Josh knew he'd gone too far, but he couldn't help it. He was angry at Lizzy. She'd known about this holiday for weeks, yet she still volunteered to work. But, he shouldn't have said anything derogatory in front of their children.

"I’m sorry," he apologised. "Casey, Mummy will be here in two days. And then she'll go on the beach with us and we'll have lots of fun. Right, guys?"

"Mummy stay," Casey poked her lower lip out.

Lizzy felt tears welling up in her eyes. "Baby, I really want to, but I can't."

"Come on," Josh said quietly. "Let's get them settled in."

Lizzy carried Casey upstairs. "I think you're sharing a room with Emma and Hannah, Casey."

"With Em?" Casey brightened a bit.

Lizzy nodded. "With Em."

"And you boys get your own room." Josh said.

"No Case," Aidan said waving at his sister over Josh's shoulder.

"Bye, bye," Casey giggled as she waved to her brothers.

Lizzy carried her daughter into the room where she'd be staying with Emma and Hannah. There was a crib and two small twin beds set up in the small room.

"Isn't this nice, sweetheart?" she asked.

Casey nodded. "Yes!"

Lizzy heard someone bounding up the stairs and she turned to see Emma coming toward them.

"Em here Casey!" Emma squealed.

"Em!" Casey reached for her cousin. "Em here!"

Lizzy set her daughter down and Emma gave her a big hug. "Em missed Casey soooo much!"

Allison came into the room and grinned at her best friend. "Hey, Lizzy. Emma couldn't wait to get here. She barely slept last night."

"Josh told me Casey's been excited all day," Lizzy replied.

Allison looked quizzically at her friend while their two girls played. "Liz, is everything okay?"

"Not really," Lizzy sighed. "But unfortunately, I don't have time to explain."

Allison frowned when she noticed her friend was still dressed in her healer robes. "You've got to work?"

Lizzy nodded. "I'll be here in a few days."

"We'll miss you, but we'll all give Josh a hand," Allison promised.

"Thanks," Lizzy said. She knelt down next to her daughter. "I love you baby. I'll see you in two days okay?"

"Kay," Casey replied more interested in playing with Emma at the moment.

"Give Mummy a kiss," Lizzy said.

Casey turned her head and pecked her mother on the cheek.

"Em take good care of Casey," Emma promised.

"Thank you Emma," Lizzy smiled at her niece. She followed Allison out of the room so she could say goodbye to her sons.

Josh was showing his sons the ocean view when Allison and Lizzy came into the room.

"Mummy has to go," Lizzy said, not looking at her husband. "Come say goodbye."

Aidan and Noah toddled over to their mother and she enveloped them both in a big hug. "You be good for Daddy and everyone, okay?"

"Love Mama," Noah said.

"Mama," Aidan nodded, patting her cheek. "Love."

Lizzy smiled at them both. "I love you, too, my boys."

Allison smiled. "They're so sweet Liz."

"They're my boys," Lizzy said softly.

She looked up at her husband but he had already turned back to the window. "I'll see you in a few days," she said quietly to Josh.

"Yeah," Josh said shrugging his shoulders.

Lizzy sighed and left the room, Allison on her heels. "What was that all about?"

Lizzy shook her head. "I don't know. Apparently, I'm a bad mother and a terrible wife."

"That isn't true," Allison replied.

"Tell Josh that," Lizzy said wiping at her eyes. "I have to work. If I could get out of it, I would. But we're short-handed as it is."

"He understands," Allison gave her friend a hug. "You know Josh. He's always been a bit moody. He loves you and the kids more than anything."

"Thanks, Allie," Lizzy said hugging her back.

"Go on," Allison said. "The sooner you get to work, the sooner you can finish and get back here for your holiday!"

Lizzy nodded. "I'll be back as soon as I can."

"I'll talk to Josh," Allison promised.

Lizzy didn't know what good it would do, but she gave her friend one last hug before going back over to the fireplace.

Meanwhile, Hannah, Frankie and Will were driving to the Brighton beach house. Even though she was tired, she didn't dare go to sleep because she didn't want to miss one moment of this experience.

Frankie was bored. "Remind me again why we're driving instead of Flooing?"

"Part of the family trip experience is the road trip," Will explained. "And look at Hannah."

Frankie had to smile as she peeked back at her daughter, who was enthralled by the passing scenery. "Are you having fun back there baby?"

"Hmmm?" Hannah asked.

Frankie laughed. "We'll be there pretty soon. Are you excited?"

Hannah nodded. "This is my first holiday, Mummy!"

"And I'm sure you're going to have the best time ever," Frankie replied.

"We're going to do so much that you'll go to bed knackered every single night," Will promised.

Hannah giggled. "I already can't wait, Daddy!"

Will turned the car onto the street that led to the beach house. "Hannah, if you look to your left, you'll see the ocean."

Hannah yelped excitedly and pressed her face to the window. "I see it!"

Frankie giggled and shared a look with Will.

"It's so big!" Hannah said excitedly. "And I see waves!"

"Wait until we get you out on the boat," Frankie told her.

Hannah sat back, a happy smile on her face. "Will we go really, really fast?"

"If you want," Will replied.

Hannah nodded. "And I want to go on the beach with Em!"

"Allie told me Caroline helped Emma make a list of all that she wanted to do with you," Frankie said with a grin.

Hannah giggled. "Emma's so funny."

Will pulled the car into the drive and Hannah waved excitedly at Caroline and Katie who were on the front porch.

Frankie helped her daughter out of the car. "Let's go in and unpack before we do anything else, okay? We don't want any of our clothes to be wrinkled."

"Okay, Mummy," Hannah said.

"Hey Hannah!" Caroline called out. "Hi Aunt Frankie! Uncle Will!"

"Hi Caroline!" Hannah said excitedly.

"We're waiting to go on the beach," Katie explained. "What difference does it make if we're settled in?"

Will laughed. "It's an adult thing," he joked.

"Must be," Katie said looking longingly at the ocean.

"Come on you two," Frankie said. "The sooner you unpack, the sooner you can get out there!"

"Where's Em?" Hannah asked.

"Upstairs with Casey," Caroline replied. "I can show you your room if you'd like."

"Okay," Hannah agreed eagerly.

"I'll be up in a few minutes with your bag," Frankie promised.

"Thanks Mummy," Hannah said, running inside with Caroline and Katie.

"Wait until you see Casey," Caroline told her cousin. "She has on the cutest little red and white shirt and shorts."

Hannah grinned at her. "I didn't even really sleep last night cause I was so excited about today."

"Em, too," Caroline said leading the way down the hall. "Em! Hannah's here!"

"Han!" Emma shrieked excitedly. "Han come see our room!"

Hannah giggled as she came into the room. "Oh! My bed is purple just like at home!"

"This is Casey's bed," Emma pointed to the crib.

"Han!" Casey said waving at her.

"Hi Casey," Hannah smiled at her as Frankie brought her little purple suitcase into the bedroom.

"Frack," Emma said giving her aunt a hug.

"Hey Em," Frankie kissed her niece on the cheek. "And hello there Miss Casey!"

"I love it here already, Mummy," Hannah announced.

"I'm glad sweetheart," Frankie said. "Do you want me to help you unpack?"

Hannah nodded. "Please."

"Em wants to go swimming," Emma announced. "Han, hurry!"

"I-I don't know how to swim," Hannah admitted shyly.

"Daddy and I will help you," Frankie assured her.

"Okay," Hannah said smiling at her mother.

Caroline, Emma, Casey and Katie walked out of the room to find Allison so they could get ready for the beach.

Hannah helped her mother take her clothes out of her bag.

"And now you get to show off your pretty new swim costume," Frankie told her.

"I've never had one of those before," Hannah said sitting down on the edge of her bed.

"Purple is your colour, dahling," Frankie teased, holding it up.

Hannah giggled. "Mummy!"

Frankie helped her change and Hannah stood impatiently while Frankie plaited her hair.

"You remind me so much of me when I was little," Frankie said. "I couldn't wait to do everything."

"I do?" Hannah asked. "Really, Mummy?"

"You do," Frankie said smiling at her.

"I'm glad," Hannah said as Frankie helped her put on the matching cover up. "Cause I think you're the bestest."

"I think you're the bestest too," Frankie said giving her daughter a hug. "You're the most important person in the world to me, baby."

"I love you a whole lot," Hannah said, hugging her tightly.

"I love you too," Frankie said. "And I should go and get changed too so we can get you out to the beach for the very first time."

"Okay!" Hannah clapped her hands excitedly. "Can I help you pick out a swim costume?"

"Of course," Frankie said. "Let's go pick one out."

"I love to pick out clothes," Hannah said as they went into Frankie and Will's bedroom.

Will groaned. "You've got her trained already?"

Frankie laughed. "It's good to get them started young, William."

"I don't think my money pouch can take it," Will teased. "And look at you- all ready for the beach!"

"Mummy said you would teach me how to swim," Hannah told him.

"I sure will," he promised.

Frankie opened her suitcase and retrieved the four suits she'd brought with her. "Okay, Hannah. What do you think?"

"Um..." Hannah looked deep in thought. "I like the red one."

"My favourite too," Will said winking at his wife.

Frankie laughed. "I'll change and be right out."

"Did you pack the sun block?" Will asked her.

"Yes," Frankie called from the loo. "It's in my green bag."

"Sweetheart, you stay here," Will told his daughter. "I'm going to get us some bottles of water and some towels."

"Okay Daddy," Hannah sat down on the edge of the bed.

Hannah couldn't help but think of her mother. They'd always talked about the places they wanted to go. Her mother always talked about going to the ocean.

As much as Hannah loved being with Will and Frankie, a big part of her still missed her mother and wished she were here too.

"Hannah Emily," she could still hear her mother say. "One day I'll take you to the beach and we'll get our feet in the sand and we'll get ice cream and play all day."

"Ice cream sounds good," Hannah said softly.

"What's that baby?" Frankie asked coming back into the bedroom.

Hannah shook her head wordlessly.

"Are you ready to go?" Frankie asked her. "Hey---what is it?"

Hannah opened her mouth but no words came out. Her eyes filled with tears and she shook her head again.

Frankie pulled Hannah into her arms. "Sweetheart, why are you so sad?"

"My mummy told me we would go to the beach one day," Hannah whispered.

Frankie patted Hannah's back. "Oh, baby. You wish she was here with you."

"I'm sorry," Hannah buried her face in Frankie's shoulder.

"It's okay," Frankie said softly. "You don't have to apologise."

"But I want to be here with you too," Hannah said. "I want to be with you and my real mummy."

Frankie squeezed her daughter's hand. "I know you do. And in some ways you are. Your mother is right here in your heart. And you can talk to her whenever you want to. Your Grandma Cho lost her parents when she was a little older than you are right now. And you know what she used to do when she missed her mum and dad? She used to just go outside in the backyard in our garden and just talk to them. I didn't really understand then, but now I do."

Hannah let out a shuddery sigh. "Sometimes I think my mummy can hear me when I talk to her."

"She can," Frankie said looking up to see Will in the doorway. "And you know you can talk to her whenever you want to, baby."

Hannah nodded, still holding onto Frankie.

"You ready to go out on the beach for the very first time?" Frankie asked softly.

"I think so," Hannah nodded, wiping her eyes.

"Good," Frankie said picking her up.

Will smiled at them. "We're all set."

Hannah managed a tremulous smile at her parents. "Are we going to go right in the water?"

"We can do whatever you want to do first," Will replied.

"Can we see what Em is doing first?" Hannah ventured.

Will grinned. "She was eating a bag of crisps on the front porch waiting for you."

Hannah smiled again, but it was less trembly this time. "I bet it was a big bag."

"Nearly as big as her," Will laughed, leading the way out of the bedroom. Sure enough the little redhead was sitting on the front step with Jon, sharing a bag of crisps. Max was sitting at her feet, waiting for her to drop one.

"No, Maxi," Emma said gleefully.

Max's tail wagged and he let out a short bark.

"Oh come on Em," Jon teased his daughter. "Let poor Maxi have a crisp."

"Mmm kay," Emma said dropping a couple of crisps on the ground. "Cause Em loves Maxi."

Hannah smiled as Max gobbled them up. "Thanks for waiting for me Em."

Emma looked over at her cousin. "Han sad?"

Hannah shook her head. "Not anymore. I like your swimming costume!"

Emma was dressed in a little green two piece. "Han looks pretty too!"

"Let's put some sunscreen on you before we go out," Frankie said.

"Em you need some too," Jon told his daughter.

"Where's Allie?" Frankie asked Jon.

"She went ahead with Caroline and Katie," Jon said. "Emma decided to wait for Hannah."

"And Frack," Emma added.

Frankie grinned at her niece. "Thanks Emma. You are going to have to help us tell Hannah all the fun stuff we can do."

"We can swim," Emma said. "And build castles in the sand!"

Hannah grinned. "I can't wait!"

"There's my favourite Hannah smile," Frankie said to her daughter.

Hannah grinned. "Let's go, Mummy."

The five of them, along with Max, headed down the beach to where everyone was set up.

Hannah's eyes grew large as she saw the waves crashing to the shore. It was even prettier than she imagined.

"We go swim in there," Emma pointed. "It's fun!"

"Did you put sunscreen on Em?" Allison asked Jon, from her spot under the big umbrella where she was sitting with Adam.

"Yeah," Jon dropped the bag next to her. "She's covered."

Emma walked over to check on Adam. "Adam kay?"

"Adam's fine, baby." Allison replied. "You go on and have fun with your sister and cousins."

Emma pecked Adam on the cheek. "Love you. Be back really soooooon!"

Adam gurgled and waved his arms at his sister as she ran off.

176. 176

Well here you go, for those people who were complaining about things going too slow, you get Saffron in this chapter. Please review!

"You ready to tackle the ocean, sweetheart?" Frankie asked her daughter.

"I think so," Hannah said as another wave crashed on the shore.

"We'll take it slow," Frankie promised taking Hannah's hand. A little further down the shore, Emma was venturing into the ocean with her father.

"Just be careful of the soldier fish," Caroline called to them. She was busy digging a hole in the sand with Katie.

"The what?" Hannah asked her mother.

"I'm not sure," Frankie looked back at Will. "Soldier fish?"

"I think she might be talking about a Portuguese Man-of-War," Will said. "I think a couple years ago, Caroline was stung by one."

"Will one get me?" Hannah asked.

"Probably not," Will reassured her. "They are pretty rare. Just watch where you step and you'll be fine."

"You'll stay with me, right?" Hannah looked at him.

"Absolutely," Will said smiling at her.

"Okay," Hannah took both of their hands.

Back in the house, Hermione came into the kitchen and looked at her husband. "She's still upstairs, Harry."

Harry shook his head. "She hasn't come out since we got here."

"I'm worried about her," Hermione said.

"She's heartbroken," Harry answered. "I wish I could do something for her."

"They were together for a long time," Hermione said softly.

Harry sighed. "Let's try one more time to get her out. Otherwise, maybe she'll open up to Alexa once she gets here."

Hermione nodded and took her husband's hand leading the way upstairs. Harry knocked on the door.

"Saffy?"

When their daughter didn't answer, Hermione knocked again. "Sweetheart, talk to us..."

"I'm okay," Saffron called out weakly.

"Why don't you come out on the beach with us?" Harry urged.

Saffron knew her parents weren't going to go away and she appreciated them wanting to check on her, but she just wanted to be alone. Reluctantly, she stood up and slowly walked over to the door.

"Baby," Hermione pulled her youngest into her arms. "I hate that you're so upset."

Saffron sobbed into her mother's shoulder. "Mum..."

"I know baby," Hermione soothed. "I know you loved Andrew..."

"This is all RJ's fault," Saffron said in a muffled voice.

Harry shook his head. "Saffy... this isn't RJ's fault. He had nothing to do with it. You can't blame him for everything that goes wrong in your life."

"Take his side," Saffron said glaring at him. "He was absolutely responsible for this, Dad!"

"Saffron Grace," Hermione said gently. "Don't lash out at us, all right? We love you and we both hate that you're so upset."

"I just want to talk to Mum," Saffron said to her father.

Harry nodded. "I'll be downstairs," he said quietly.

Hermione closed the door behind her husband and sat down on Saffron's unmade bed. "Come here, baby."

Saffron wiped her eyes and sat down next to her mother.

Hermione put her arm around her. "I know it doesn't seem like it now, but you will feel better, Saffron."

Saffron shook her head. "I'm never, ever dating anyone ever again. I can't handle this Mum."

"You might change your mind someday and maybe you and Andrew can work this out," Hermione said soothingly.

"I don't know," Saffron said miserably, her eyes tearing up again.

"Do you want to tell me what happened?" Hermione asked her daughter.

Saffron leaned against her mother as Puddles crawled onto her lap. "He was so angry with me Mum..."

Despite not hearing back from Andrew or RJ after sending the Howler, Saffron was looking forward to seeing her boyfriend and spending time with him in Brighton during the first few weeks of summer hols.

She was so happy to see him waiting for her at the station and she practically ran off the train.

"Andrew!' she exclaimed.

"Hi Saffron," Andrew said, without a smile.

Saffron moved to give him a hug, but his arms remained folded. "Andrew?"

"We need to talk," Andrew replied. "Let's get your stuff.”

Saffron nodded. "If you're worried about my reaction to that article, you don't have to. I know RJ---"

"RJ didn't say any of those things," Andrew replied coolly.

"Right," Saffron said rolling her eyes. "That's exactly like something he'd say. But, let's not talk about him. This is our holiday and I missed you!"

"Saffron--" Andrew said exasperatedly. "I don't want to go into this here. But we need to talk about what you said to RJ. He's still my best mate whether you like it or not."

Saffron shrugged and pushed past him to get her trunk. "Whatever."

Andrew was about to snap. He didn't get this angry often at all, but his girlfriend's attitude was really pissing him off. "Fine," he snapped. "Let's do this here, in front of everyone!"

"I'd rather not," Saffron said glaring at him. "I don't even know why we have to talk about him in the first place!"

"Because you have a horrible attitude!" Andrew retorted.

"Well, at least I'm not best friends with a liar and a cheat!" Saffron countered.

Andrew rolled his eyes. "You aren't even going to try here, are you?"

"I have tried, but it's a little hard to be nice to him when he makes comments like that and takes you out with tarts!" Saffron argued.

"HE DIDN'T SAY THAT!" Andrew roared.

Saffron stared at him in disbelief. Andrew very rarely got upset and he'd never yelled at her. A few of her fellow students were looking at them. "Come on; let's go back to my house...."

"Fine," Andrew grabbed the end of her trunk.

Just outside the station, Andrew hailed a taxi. Saffron slammed the car door and settled down in her seat. This was not the homecoming she'd counted on.

Andrew helped the driver load her trunk before sliding in next to her, giving the address of a building close to the entrance to The Leaky Cauldron.

"You home from boarding school, love?" the driver asked conversationally.

Saffron nodded. "Yeah..."

"Have a good year did you?" the driver smiled back at her.

"It was until now," Saffron answered, glaring at her boyfriend.

"Lover's spat," the driver said. "Well, don't you worry. These things pass."

Andrew stayed silent, not looking over at Saffron until they arrived at the address.

"Enjoy your hols, miss," the driver said as he opened the boot.

"Yeah right," Saffron muttered as Andrew paid the driver.

"Come on," Andrew said grumpily.

Saffron grabbed her trunk. "I can handle it myself," she snapped.

"We'll both get it," Andrew said firmly.

"I'm not a weakling," Saffron said shortly.

Andrew dropped the trunk. "Okay, then. How about we have our talk now? "

"Fine," Saffron crossed her arms.

"I told you that you'd have to drop this grudge," Andrew began. "And you told me you'd try. And I truly believed you were trying and then we get that bloody howler!"

"Because he was trying to break us up!" Saffron replied.

"He wouldn't do that," Andrew told her. "Because he knows there's nothing he could say or do that would make me stop loving you. And just for your information, Saffron, he didn't say those things that were reported in that paper."

"You both had girls surrounding you!" Saffron snapped. "I wouldn't have believed it otherwise!"

Andrew groaned. "I don't even know what to say to that!"

"You have no defence for him, that's why," Saffron said hotly. "I can't believe you're here accusing me of being unfair!"

"That's because you ARE being unfair!" Andrew retorted. "And I can't believe you can't see it! He made a mistake, Saffron. One mistake. And you act as if everyone he cares about should just cut him off and forget he existed."

"It's obvious to me that you want to be friends with him more than you want me to be your girlfriend," Saffron shot back.

"I don't see why I have to choose!" Andrew argued.

"Because I refuse to be around him," Saffron hissed.

"And that's fine, but you can at least be civil," Andrew told her. "And if you can't do that, I don't-"

"Don't what?" Saffron interrupted. "Is this turning into an ultimatum now?"

"You should recognise it," Andrew said folding his arms. "You've given me one ever since RJ and Lexie broke up."

"I don't make you choose!" Saffron exclaimed.

"Not in so many words, but your actions spoke volumes," Andrew said.

"Whatever," Saffron said. "That is bullshit."

"I love you," Andrew said. "I love you so much, Saffron."

"I love you too," Saffron said, her tone quieter.

"But I cannot keep doing this," Andrew said looking intently at her.

"Well I'm not going to be RJ's friend again," Saffron shook her head.

"No one is asking you to do that," Andrew said. "I just want you to be civil to him."

"Not if he's going to say things like that," Saffron answered coolly.

"He didn't say that!" Andrew roared. "You don't trust him, fine. But you should trust me when I tell you he didn't!"

Saffron shook her head and looked away. "I do trust you, but I think he's a bad influence."

"Since you haven't talked to him in awhile, maybe I could let you know a little about what RJ's been doing as a 'bad influence'," Andrew told her. "Yesterday, he took Emma and Caroline bowling. Today, he's helping Josh with the triplets. His best friend on the team happens to be married and RJ goes over to their house for dinner every week. That's a really bad influence."

"What, just because he's nice now means I should just be okay with him?" Saffron asked.

"I'm not saying that," Andrew said quietly. "You know, when he cheated on Alexa, I was mad at him, too. He screwed up the best thing in his life. He knows that now. He also knows that he's not going to get her back. He wants to be her friend. She seems to think he's not that bad. You on the other hand are determined to keep this going."

"Because I know better than she does," Saffron returned.

"You what?"

Saffron exhaled sharply. "Why are we fighting over RJ?" she asked, exasperatedly. "I've cut him out of my life and you keep bringing him back in!"

"And you keep making me choose!" Andrew exclaimed. "I can't do that. He's my best friend and you're my girlfriend."

"You're not acting as if we're together," Saffron replied, her arms crossed.

"It's your choice," Andrew challenged. "But I can't do this anymore. You either believe me and let this go or we're done."

Saffron stared at him in disbelief.

"Saffron?"

"So you're telling me I have to put up with RJ or you'll dump me?" she asked.

Andrew met her gaze. "Yes."

"I can't believe this," Saffron shook her head.

"I can't believe it came to this," Andrew said quietly.

Saffron bit her lower lip. "I'm sorry," she said quietly. "But I refuse to be put into a choice like this. The fact that you could give me up for RJ--"

"How would you feel Saffy, if I didn't get along with Alexa?" Andrew interjected. "How would you feel if every single time I was around her, I made snide comments or I made her feel uncomfortable?"

"Don't change the subject!" Saffron snapped.

"Do you think I want to do this?" Andrew asked her. "Baby, I love you, but I refuse to be put in the middle."

Saffron turned away. She didn't want him to see her cry. "Just go away," she managed.

"I'll help you get your trunk," Andrew offered.

"I don't want anything from you," Saffron said.

"Saffy---" Andrew started to say.

"You got what you wanted," Saffron put up her hand. "Fine, it's over."

Andrew nodded. "Enjoy your summer."

Saffron snorted. "Whatever..."

Hermione handed her daughter a tissue. "Sweetheart..."

"So you see?" Saffron asked wiping at her eyes. "It is his fault!"

"Saffy," Hermione brushed back her daughter's hair. "Are you sure you weren't even a little bit to blame?"

"Maybe a little, but this all started because of RJ,'" Saffron said.

Hermione kissed her forehead. "You can think what you like, but I think you know deep down that RJ wasn't at fault here."

Saffron didn't want to admit that so she just lay down putting her head in her mother's lap.

"I hate to see you hurting so much," Hermione stroked her daughter's long hair. "I wish there was something I could do, or your father could do to make you feel better."

"Just stay up here with me," Saffron said softly.

Hermione nodded. "Are you sure you won't come on the beach? I bet being with the kids would help, at least a little bit. And you know you love to watch Puddles with the waves..."

"Maybe later," Saffron said.

"I'm going to hold you to that," Hermione smiled down at her.

"I never wanted to be one of those girls who cried over some boy," Saffron said. "I feel like such a cliché."

"There's nothing wrong with a few tears," Hermione said. "You fell in love, Saffy. Heartbreak isn't easy but you'll get through it."

"The only boyfriend you ever had was Daddy," Saffron said.

"But I lived with your Aunt Lavender most of my life," Hermione reminded her.

"Oh," Saffron said smiling for the first time.

"There's my girl," Hermione said. "I always love it when you smile."

"Might be the only one you see for awhile," Saffron said dryly.

"You're a strong girl Saffy," Hermione said reassuringly as she sat up. "You'll be all right."

"You know," Saffron said biting her bottom lip. "I am kind of hungry. I haven't eaten since lunch yesterday and it wasn't that much."

"I would offer to make you something but I know better," Hermione teased. "But I'm sure your father would make you a sandwich."

"I'll just make myself something," Saffron said. She didn't want to hear his lecture on how great RJ was.

"Saffy," Hermione said as Saffron stood up. "You know how your father loves to dote on you."

"Yeah," Saffron said sulkily, pulling her hair into a makeshift ponytail.

"And if you're worried he's going to lecture you, he won't." Hermione continued. "He liked Andrew very much."

Saffron wordlessly followed her mother out of the room and downstairs.

"Feeling better sweetheart?" Harry asked.

Saffron didn't answer him as she walked over to the icebox and peered inside for something to eat.

Harry exchanged a clueless look with his wife, who shrugged. "Saffron?"

"I'm just making myself a sandwich, okay?" Saffron told him.

"I'll make it for you," Harry said. "Just the way you like it."

"I can make a sandwich," Saffron said. "I don't need to be waited on."

"Saffron Grace," Hermione said. "We both realise you're upset but your father is only trying to help."

"It's okay, Mum," Saffron said. "I just want to make my own sandwich."

"All right then," Harry stood up. "Guess I'll just head on down with everyone else."

"Dad," Saffron said. "Wait---I'm sorry---"

Harry turned back to look at her.

Saffron walked over to him. "I'm kind of upset with anyone with a Y chromosome. I don't mean to take it out on you."

She hugged her father and Harry kissed the top of her head. "I guess I could understand that sweetheart. I wish I could cheer you up."

"A grilled cheese might do it," Saffron admitted.

"One grilled cheese coming up then," Harry replied.

Saffron shared a smile with her mother. "Thanks, Daddy."

"Ethan and Maddie should be arriving in an hour or so," Harry told them.

Saffron nodded. "He better not tease me about this, Dad. I'm not in the mood."

"Sweetheart no one's going to tease you about this," Hermione said gently.

"I can't believe it's over," Saffron said glumly.

"You still might work it out," Harry offered.

"Not this time," Saffron said staving off her tears.

Hermione hugged her daughter. "Saffy..." she kissed her temple.

"Want me to hex him?" Harry asked trying to get his daughter to smile. "I'd do it, Saffy."

Saffron's lips barely curved up. "No thanks Daddy," she said quietly.

Harry set the sandwich down in front of his daughter. "Just like you like it."

Saffron managed a wan smile. "Thanks..."

"You know you and I could play a round of golf something this week if you're up for it," Harry offered. "Nothing makes you feel better like kicking my arse."

"Maybe," Saffron shrugged. Tears came to her eyes as she remembered Andrew always offering to play a round with her.

"Saffy---"

"Sorry," Saffron wiped her eyes. "I just miss him so much!"

"You'll get through this," Hermione said softly. "And we'll help you."

"Thanks," Saffron replied quietly.

She managed a couple of bites of her sandwich all under the watchful eyes of her parents.

"I'm sure Alexa will be here soon," Harry said to her.

Saffron nodded. "Yeah. I think I'm going to go upstairs and read."

"Are you sure you won't come outside with us?" Hermione coaxed.

"Maybe later," Saffron replied. "Thanks for the sandwich, Dad."

"Anytime baby," Harry took her empty plate.

Hermione watched her daughter go and she truly wished there was something she could do to take away her pain.

"She'll be all right," Harry seemed to read her mind.

"I remember feeling that way when we broke up at Hillsdale," Hermione said.

"Completely depressed?" Harry asked. "I remember that too."

Hermione put her arms around him. "We got back together. Maybe she and Andrew will do the same."

"I hope so," Harry kissed his wife. "I want her to be as happy as we are."

"She will be," Hermione said. "I love you."

"I love you," Harry smiled at her. "You're the bloody love of my life Hermione Jane."

"You’re mine, Harry James," Hermione said. "Come on...let's get out on the beach."

"Right," Harry replied. "Are you wearing a bikini?"

Hermione shook her head. "No, a one-piece."

"Why?" Harry whined.

"I am too old to be wearing a bikini," Hermione told him. "Come on."

"You're not too old," Harry followed her out. "You're the hottest thing I've ever seen."

"I'll wear one when it's just you and me," Hermione promised.

"Tonight?" Harry asked huskily.

"Maybe," Hermione said coyly.

"Or..." Harry pulled her to him. "Perhaps nothing at all?"

"Harry!" Hermione laughed.

"It's your fault for being so gorgeous after all these years together..." Harry said.

"You're not so bad yourself," Hermione purred.

"What can I say?" Harry boasted.

"Good thing Ron isn't here to hear you say those things," Hermione said grabbing her beach bag. "Come on, handsome."

It was another few hours before Alexa arrived with Gabriel, Seamus and Lavender. "It's so nice to be back here," Alexa said, setting her bag down.

"Tell me about it," Lavender said smiling at the younger girl. She looked at the backpack full of books that Gabriel had set down beside Alexa's bag. "Gabriel, you do remember that this is a holiday..."

"I know, Lavender, but I have some reading that I really do have to do over the break," Gabriel told her. "I promise that my nose will not be stuck in those books all the time."

"Come off it Lav," Seamus nudged his wife. "He's going to be a doctor. He's got to know everything."

"Reminds me of how you were when you were in film school," Lavender groaned. "Making me watch those horrible foreign films with those subtitles. If I'd wanted to read, I would pick up a book or a magazine. You don't go to a film to read."

Alexa and Gabriel shared a grin. "I'm going to put my things in the room I'm sharing with Saffy," she said. "You remember where yours is?"

Gabriel nodded. "I'll meet you back down here."

Alexa gave him a quick kiss and headed upstairs. She didn't think Saffron would be in the room and walked right in without knocking.

Saffron was sitting up in her bed with her journal on her lap. There was a box of tissues at her side and she looked over at her friend. "Hey, Lexie."

"Saffy!" Alexa said in surprise. "Why aren't you down at the beach?"

Saffron shrugged. "I didn't much feel like it. When---when did you get here?"

"Just now," Alexa set her bag on the bed. "How are you holding up?" she asked gently.

"Not too well," Saffron admitted. "I didn't think it was possible to cry this much."

Alexa hugged her best friend. "I really am sorry, Saffy. I wish there was something I could do for you. You were so good to me right after RJ and I broke up."

"Don't even mention that wanker's name," Saffron sniffed. "It's his bloody fault!"

Alexa sighed. "Come on Saffy; let's not start that again okay?"

"Fine," Saffron said wiping at her eyes.

"I'm going to change and head outside," Alexa said. "Why don't you come with us?"

Saffron shook her head. "I'm going to stay up here."

"Are you sure?" Alexa asked. "Come on, I promise, we'll have fun."

"I wouldn't be any fun, Lex," Saffron argued.

"I happen to disagree," Alexa tugged at her hand. "And like you, I'm not taking no for an answer."

"Okay," Saffron relented. "But I did warn you."

"I'll make you smile, even if just a little," Alexa said. "Come on... I bet Puddles is dying to get down there and jump around in the surf."

"Yeah," Saffron said glumly. She grabbed her swimming costume from the drawer and went into the loo to change.

Alexa quickly changed as well and was tying her hair up when Gabriel appeared in the doorway.

"Everything okay?" Gabriel asked.

"Saffy's coming down to the beach with us," Alexa said as Puddles danced excitedly at her feet.

Gabriel grinned. "Good."

"Maybe later we can go for a walk," Alexa smiled back at him. "Just the two of us?"

"Of course," Gabriel said reaching for her just as Saffron came out of the bathroom. "Hey, Saf."

"Hi Gabe," Saffron smiled but it didn't quite reach her eyes.

"I-I was sorry to hear about you and Andrew," Gabe said. "It's his loss, you know."

Saffron shrugged and turned away.

"How about we play a game of volleyball?" Alexa suggested.

"There's only three of us," Saffron said slipping into her sandals.

"We could just bump the ball back and forth," Gabriel said. "I'd really like to get some sun on this pasty tail of mine."

"Whatever," Saffron said absently.

Puddles was at his mistress's feet, looking up at her pleadingly. "I think he wants to play too," Alexa leaned over and rubbed the dog's head.

Saffron knelt down and Puddles put his head in her lap. "Hey, baby."

Puddles let out a pitiful whine.

"It's just you and me this holiday," Saffron said rubbing behind his ears.

"Us too," Gabriel said with mock indignation. "Nice to know Lex and I come in dead second to your dog."

Saffron gave him a half smile. "Let's go."

"That's the spirit," Gabriel put an arm around his girlfriend as they headed downstairs. There was a volleyball on the porch and he grabbed it as they headed outside.

Saffron didn't begrudge her friends their happiness, but it was going to be hard to watch the two of them be all lovey-dovey this afternoon. She just wanted to take Puddles and crawl into a hole.

"Come on," Alexa broke away from him. "I know nothing about this sport but I bet I can kick your arse again!"

"I'm not falling for your 'I'm rubbish at this' routine," Gabriel told her. "You're trying to give me a false sense of security..."

"Think what you like," Alexa bantered. "Come on Saffy, let's team up against him."

Saffron shook her head. "You go on...'

"You aren't going back inside are you?" Alexa asked in dismay.

"No," Saffron told her. "I'll just watch you two."

"Okay," Alexa replied. "Join in anytime..."

"Not bloody likely," Saffron said under her breath as she took a seat on one of the chaise lounges.

Alexa sighed. "Okay," she said with a bit less enthusiasm.

"Serve it, O'Leary," Gabe called out to her.

"I think I remember how..." Alexa said, hitting it with her fist.

The ball hit the net and Alexa groaned. "I told you I was terrible at this."

"Please," Gabriel replied, tossing her the ball again. "You're just faking me out."

"I really am horrible at this," Alexa told him.

"Uh huh," Gabriel said. "Just toss it up in the air and hit it."

Alexa tried it again and the ball went into the net. "Ugh!"

Saffron stood up. "You've almost got it. You just need help with your arm motion."

"Like how?" Alexa asked. "Show me, please?"

"Hold the ball at waist level," Saffron demonstrated. "Then you lean forward and swing your arm forward. And then you're going to hit the ball with either your fist or the heel of your hand. Like this..."

Alexa watched as her best friend hit the ball cleanly over the net. "You're a natural, unlike me."

"I've been playing this every summer since I was a kid," Saffron said modestly. "You just need practise."

Gabriel grinned at her. "I'm definitely not playing you," he teased. "My ego couldn't take getting beaten by both of you."

"Do you lot need a fourth?" someone asked.

Saffron turned. "Sean?"

"Hiya," Sean Grant grinned at them. "I thought that was you down here Saffy."

"It's nice to see you again," Saffron said giving him a hug.

"You too," Sean replied. "You um... you look great."

Saffron shook her head. "Tear stained cheeks and red eyes really do it for you, do they?"

"What happened?" Sean asked, concerned.

"Andrew and I broke up a couple of days ago," Saffron told him.

"Is that the bloke you were with here last summer?" Sean asked.

Saffron nodded. "Yeah."

"I'm sorry," he said, shoving his hands in his pockets.

"You remember my cousin, Gabriel?" Saffron asked him, eager to change the subject. "And Lexie, of course."

"How's it going mate?" Sean shook Gabriel's hand. "It's nice to see you again too." he smiled at Alexa.

Alexa smiled back at him. "We're glad you came along. We do need a fourth."

"I'm your guy then," Sean said easily.

"Let me tie Puddles over here so he doesn't get underfoot," Saffron picked up her dog's leash.

Alexa shared a smile with Gabriel. She knew Saffron wouldn't be able to sit on the sidelines for too long.

"How did we want to play?" Sean asked. "Guys against girls?"

"Sounds good to me," Saffron said.

"Watch out for O'Leary over there," Gabriel told Sean. "She'll tell you she's bad but turn around and kick our asses."

"Don't listen to him," Alexa said. "I really am rubbish."

"You'll get better," Saffron replied. "Volleyball's pretty easy to pick up on."

"Says the girl who can play any sport in the world," Alexa said smiling at her friend.

Saffron's smile was more genuine this time. "I wish it was Quidditch."

"I'm sure the Muggles here would love to see you flying around on your broom," Alexa teased.

"Hey I'm a Muggle," Sean grinned at them. "Don't you go making fun of me now!"

"I wouldn't dream of it," Alexa said. "I happen to like Muggles."

Sean glanced back and forth between her and Gabriel. "Are you two-- I thought you were with that RJ bloke--"

"We aren't going to mention him," Gabriel said under his breath. "We don't want to get Saffron going again."

"Let's just play," Saffron said grabbing the ball.

"Good idea," Sean backed up, his eyes on his ex girlfriend. He had dated around but he still couldn't help but feel something flare up when he looked at her. She was still one of the prettiest girls he'd seen anywhere.

"Serving," Saffron announced. The ball sailed over the net.

Gabriel jumped forward and bumped it back over.

Alexa ran under it and hit it, the ball going straight up over their heads. "Sorry!"

Gabriel ran after it. "O'Leary, you don't know your own strength."

"But it should have gone over the net," Alexa said, sighing.

"You'll get it," Saffron said encouragingly.

"I hope so," Alexa said as Gabriel returned with the ball.

"Our serve," Gabriel said.

"Yeah, yeah," Saffron shook her head. "All talk, Boyd."

Gabriel laughed. "You watch it, Saffy. I'm not going to take it easy on you."

"I don't want you to," Saffron said, feeling a bit of her old spark. She smiled at Sean who grinned back at her.

"You asked for it," Gabriel said serving the ball.

Saffron spiked it back over the net.

Sean lobbed it back at her.

"Oooh," Saffron smacked it back over. "Good one."

Gabriel hit it again and this time it headed for Alexa.

"Get under it, Lex!" Saffron called out.

"I got it!" Alexa slid into the sand as she hit the ball. She was pleased it actually went back over this time.

Gabriel went to return it, but missed.

Saffron squealed. "Yes! Good one, Lexie!"

Alexa slapped her friend a high five. "Looks to me like you're having fun."

Saffron shrugged. "Competition is good for the soul."

"And it's making you smile," Alexa nudged her.

"A little," Saffron said. "Come on. It's our serve."

Ethan and Maddie had arrived and changed into their swimwear and were currently heading out to join everyone else.

"Mads!" Frankie called out to her friend.

"Hey!" Maddie grinned, hugging her. "I'm so glad you're all here!"

"Will's helping Caroline, Hannah and Emma build a castle," Frankie explained. "They made me leave when I kept being too critical."

Ethan shook his head. "You, critical? Imagine that!"

Frankie playfully hit him. "Shut it you. I was just trying to helpfully point out things they could do...."

"That window is lopsided," Ethan said in a high pitched tone. "Oh, and you should put that tower THERE and not over here!"

Frankie glared at him. "How would you like to be pushed into the ocean?"

Ethan grinned at her. "It is pretty hot out here... now that I've arrived."

"Good grief," Frankie said shaking her head.

"Hey, Ethan," Hermione said giving her son a hug. "Hi, Maddie."

"Hi Mum," Ethan replied. "I missed you."

"I missed you too," Hermione said. "You and your father both since you've been on that case."

"It turned out well," Ethan said. "Put that bastard right where he belongs."

"There is something I'd like to talk to you about," Hermione said pulling him aside. "It's about your sister."

"What about her?" Ethan asked. "Is she feeling better?"

"Not really," Hermione told him. "I know you like to tease her, but go easy on her this time, Ethan. She's really hurting."

"I wasn't going to tease her, honest." Ethan replied. "I feel bad for her. I remember how I felt when Mads thought I cheated on her."

"I've never seen her like this," Hermione said. "I'm really worried. Luckily, Alexa and Gabe were able to convince her to come out of her room."

"Good," Ethan glanced back at the teenagers playing volleyball.

"And I wouldn't bring up your brother-in-law in her presence," Hermione said. "She's still thinking that this break-up is all about RJ."

Ethan shook his head. "I'll tell Mads to duck the warpath then."

"Good idea," Hermione said giving him another hug. "I'm proud of you, Ethan."

"Why?" Ethan asked.

"Your father told me how well you worked on that case," Hermione said. "And you more than proved yourself."

"I'm glad," Ethan glanced down the beach at his father, who was laughing at something Ashley was saying. "I really wanted him to see I make a good Auror."

"He more than sees it," Hermione said. "He's been gushing about how great you did to me. And don't you dare tell him, I told you that."

Ethan grinned. "I won't. Thanks Mum."

Ashley and Harry joined them. "Hi, Uncle Ethan," Ashley said giving him a hug.

"Hey Ash," Ethan hugged his niece. "Having fun?"

"Yeah," Ashley said. "Grandpa was telling me about Hogwarts. I'm really excited."

"I bet you are," Ethan grinned at her. "I'm positive you'll be a Gryffindor too."

"She might get into Ravenclaw," Harry said. "She's so smart."

Ashley blushed under Harry's praise. "I just don't want to be in Slytherin."

"I don't think there's a chance of that," Harry reassured her.

"Hi Ashley," Maddie gave her a hug. "You already look so tan! How'd you manage that?"

"We were here a couple days before everyone else," Ashley explained.

"Lucky you," Maddie smoothed the young girl's blond hair back. "Have you got any new artwork?"

Ashley nodded. "I've done some sketches if you want to see."

"I would love to," Maddie replied. "Ethan and I actually framed that last drawing you sent to us. It's in the foyer."

Ashley beamed at them. "I'm really glad you liked it."

"We loved it," Maddie replied. "How about you help me find a place to put my towel down?"

Ashley nodded eagerly. She had hoped to spend time with Saffron and Alexa, but Saffron was too sad and Ashley didn't want to get in the way.

"I hope I get some colour," Maddie told her as the group ambled over the sand. "I've been spending so much time at the office since your uncle has been out of town on his case."

"You're so pretty though," Ashley said. "It wouldn't matter either way, Aunt Maddie."

"Thanks Ash," Maddie beamed at her as she and Ethan spread their towels out. Her husband helped her even it out.

"Where's your mum, Ash?" Ethan asked.

"She went on a walk with my dad," Ashley said. "They'll be back pretty soon."

"And where's your sister?" Ethan asked.

"Building a sand castle over there," Ashley pointed.

"I'm so glad that you lot have been so nice to Hannah," Maddie said fondly.

"She's soooo sweet," Ashley replied. "Frankie told me her birthday is coming up, so I'm drawing a picture of her with her real mum on one side, and Frankie on the other."

Maddie smiled at her niece. "That's lovely, Ashley. I'm sure she'll love it."

"I hope so," Ashley replied. "I'll show it to you when we go back to the house later."

Ethan rummaged through their bag. "Mads, need me to put some lotion on you?"

"Yes," Maddie replied. "I don't want to look like a tomato."

Ethan kissed her bare shoulder. "You'd still look beautiful to me." he said softly.

"Did you bring Blue?" Ashley asked.

Maddie frowned and shook her head. "This area is too Muggle. Darla and Hans are watching him for us while we're gone."

"So many people aren't here this time," Ashley said. "I miss them."

"I do too," Maddie said as Ethan rubbed lotion into her shoulders.

177. Chapter 177

Authors’ note: Thanks for the feedback, guys! We know that was a sad chapter with the big breakup. If you visit the group on orkut you know that we referenced a sad thing coming up and the breakup was that thing. We hated writing it because we love Andrew/Saffy as a couple so it was painful for us to do, but storyline dictated it. We hope that you will like this next chapter.

Ashley laughed as she saw Emma stand up near the castle with her hands on her hips.

The little redhead was helping Hannah with one side of the castle while Will did the middle and Katie and Caroline did the other side.

"What is it, Em?" Will asked. "Did I do something wrong?"

Emma pursed her little lips. "Needs water."

"You think?" Will asked her.

Emma nodded. "Han thinks so too."

"Maybe just a little, Daddy," Hannah said.

"All right then," Will grabbed a pail. "I'll go get us some water. You two make sure that moat will keep it."

"Okay, Daddy," Hannah said grabbing a handful of sand.

Will got a pail full of ocean water and brought it back. "Is the moat ready, girls?"

Emma walked around the castle. "Think so."

"We're ready on this side," Katie replied.

Will knew the water would just sink into the sand so he muttered a quick spell. "Who wants to help do the honours?"

Emma looked at Hannah. "Han do it."

Caroline clapped her hands. "Yes!"

Hannah grinned. "Really?"

Katie nodded. "Since this is your first ever castle..."

"Thanks," Hannah said excitedly. She helped her father tip the bucket and the water flowed around in the moat they'd made.

Emma jumped up and down excitedly. "Pretty!"

"Very nice girls," Will nodded. "You four did a great job."

Hannah gave her father a hug. "Thanks, Daddy."

"You girls did most of it," Will pinched her nose.

Hannah giggled.

"Is it safe for me to look at it at least?" Frankie asked.

"Yes Mummy," Hannah reached for her hand. "But I think my tower is a little crooked."

Frankie leaned down to get a better look. "No, it isn't, sweetheart. It's perfect."

"Really?" Hannah beamed.

"Absolutely," Frankie said picking her up.

"Han go in water?" Emma asked.

"I don't know how to swim," Hannah told her.

"We can just wade along the shore," Will told her.

"Sounds like a plan," Frankie said. "Come on, girls."

Further up on the shore, Allison was sitting with Adam. "Hey, little guy. Do you want some juice?"

"Oooh," Adam cooed at her.

Allison grinned and reached for the bottle of juice in her bag. "Come here then you."

"Is he crawling yet Allie?" Maddie called to her.

"Does he ever," Allison laughed.

Maddie laughed as her nephew rocked on his little hands and knees.

Allison grinned. "Would you like to hold him while he drinks his juice?"

"Do you even have to ask?" Maddie scooted under the umbrella and opened her arms.

Adam crawled into her lap and Maddie kissed his cheek. "Hiya, Adam."

Adam made an excited noise as Allison pulled out his bottle of juice.

"He's such a good baby," Maddie said positioning him in her lap.

"Yes, he is," Allison smiled at her son, who sucked contentedly on the bottle. "I love watching Caroline and Em with him."

"Emma's still being overprotective?" Maddie asked.

"Not as much," Allison replied. "She still will check up on him, but is very involved with her dance classes and playing with Hannah too."

"Best friends," Maddie said fondly looking to where the two girls were playing on the shore with Frankie, Will, Katie and Caroline.

Allison followed her gaze. "Will and Frankie are wonderful parents."

"They are," Maddie said. "I always knew they would be."

"When I got pregnant with Caroline, Jon and I were terrified that we would be horrible parents," Allison said. "But it all just sort of clicks when it happens."

"I hope that I'm as good a Mum as you are when it's my turn," Maddie said.

"I'm sure you will be," Allison assured her.

"Thanks, Allie," Maddie said. She looked around. "Where's Lizzy?"

Allison sighed. "She had to work, so she's not coming for a few more days."

"Oh," Maddie said. "That's a shame."

"I know," Allison replied. "Josh wasn't very pleased."

Maddie shook her head. "Well, I'm sure it couldn't be helped."

"I think Liz could have tried a bit harder, but what's done is done..." Allison said thoughtfully.

Adam finished his bottle and Maddie wiped at his mouth. "Who's a good boy?"

Adam opened his mouth and let out a rather large burp.

Maddie giggled. "You are definitely a Weasley."

"I heard that all the way down the beach," Nick teased, coming up hand in hand with Julie.

"I think they heard him in Greece," Maddie joked.

"Very funny," Allison smiled as Adam crawled back over to her.

"Look at him go!" Julie exclaimed.

Allison laughed. "Yes, look at him go. He knows just one speed."

"Kind of like Jon," Nick cracked.

"Have you seen my husband, by the way?" Allison asked.

"He was swimming around out there," Julie pointed. "I think he's becoming one with the fish."

Allison shook her head. "Adam and I are going to go see if we can wave him in."

Julie settled down with Maddie while Nick went to get them something to drink. Julie was in the middle of catching up with her sister-in-law when Harry came up and tapped her over the shoulder. He didn't look all that happy. "Dad?"

"Might I have a word, Jules?" Harry asked quietly.

"Sure," Julie's eyebrows creased. "What's wrong?"

"I was talking with Katie a few minutes ago and she told me something troubling about you and Oliver," Harry said folding his arms.

Julie sighed. "She wasn't supposed to say anything to anyone," she glanced disapprovingly back at her youngest.

"Did he make a pass at you?" Harry asked.

"No," Julie shook her head.

"I can't believe he would do this to you," Harry said angrily. "You're his employee!"

"Dad!" Julie exclaimed. "There is nothing, I repeat, NOTHING, going on with me and Oliver Wood!"

"But he fancies you!" Harry countered.

"It's not like that," Julie argued. "Dad, please don't do or say anything to him."

"I don't like this one bit," Harry said. "I wish you'd have told me sooner. I actually had lunch with that bastard last week and he never mentioned--"

"Don't call him that!" Julie said, growing angry herself. "He respects me as a fellow employee. Nothing HAS happened and nothing ever WILL happen!"

"Julie---"

"I'm serious Dad," Julie said firmly.

Harry wasn't so sure he'd be able to keep quiet about this whenever he saw Oliver Wood again. "Look, if you're worried about your job..."

"I'm not," Julie crossed her arms. "My job is fine. My boss is fine. We are friends and colleagues. That's it, and that is ALL."

"Everything okay?" Ethan asked coming up from behind them.

"Fine," Julie replied. "I need to have a word with my daughter."

"Julie--" Harry called after her, but she ignored him. "Bloody hell----"

"What's going on, Dad?" Ethan asked.

Harry shook his head, not sure he wanted to divulge this to anyone else.

"So far today I've managed to piss off two of my three children," Harry said instead.

"Dad come on," Ethan said. "Why are Jules and Saffy angry at you?"

"Don't worry about it," Harry told him. "So how are you, son?"

"Fine," Ethan replied. "Still on a bit of a high from that assignment."

Harry grinned at him. "You should be. You did great."

Ethan was pleased. "So when we get back... can I expect another big assignment?"

"Let's just say you probably will not have to do anymore of those assignments that no one else wants," Harry told him. "Nev's quite pleased with Justin's progress, too."

Ethan pumped his fist. "YES!"

Harry laughed. "You worked hard for it, Ethan."

"I'm glad to be here, but I already can't wait to be back now," Ethan said.

Harry was glad that one of his children seemed to want his advice and wasn't cross with him.

"I know I've said it a million times, but thanks for letting me help you," Ethan added.

"I liked working side by side with my son," Harry said. "And hopefully we can do it again."

"Anytime," Ethan said immediately.

Harry followed his son back up toward the house. Saffron wasn't playing volleyball anymore and was now sitting on one of the chaise lounges on the deck.

"Hey, brat," Ethan said affectionately.

Saffron looked over at him. "Hi," she said quietly.

"Who won the match, sweetheart?" Harry asked.

"I don't know," Saffron shrugged. "We weren't really playing a match."

"You'll have to play me later," Ethan offered. "I think I can take you."

Saffron shrugged again. "Maybe..."

"You're scared," Ethan teased. "You're afraid that I'll beat you."

Saffron rolled her eyes. "I just don't want to play, okay?"

Ethan nodded. "Well, if you do...you know where I am."

Saffron felt bad as her brother turned to leave. "Ethan? I'm sorry..."

Ethan smiled at her. "Its okay, Saf. I know."

"I just... I just can't stop thinking about Andrew," Saffron said softly.

"I know," Ethan said putting his arm around her.

"I don't know what to do," Saffron leaned against her brother.

"I imagine Mum and Dad and Jules told you it would get better with time and that it was his loss," Ethan said.

"That's good advice," Harry said defensively.

Saffron smiled weakly as Puddles shifted in her lap. "I miss him so much."

"I know you do," Ethan said.

"I was worried you'd tease me about it," Saffron admitted.

"You can do magic outside of school now," Ethan said shuddering. "I'm not stupid."

At that, she managed a little laugh. "It's nice to know you're scared of your baby sister."

"Have you seen you when you're angry?" Ethan asked her. "Bloody terrifying, it is."

"Like your mum," Harry added wryly.

Ethan mussed her hair. "We're all here for you, Saf."

Saffron hugged her brother. "How did you get through things when Maddie thought you cheated on her? You sort of broke up then..."

"Holed myself up in the guest room at Frankie and Will's," Ethan said. "Felt sorry for myself."

"But you got through it," Saffron said. "I mean... you and Maddie got back together..."

"And you'll get through it too," Ethan told her. "And maybe you and Andrew can work things out someday."

"I don't know," Saffron looked at her feet, which were bare and warming in the sun. "He was so angry. I've never seen him that way."

"Give it time," Ethan said. "You both might need this to figure things out."

"But he just walked away," Saffron shook her head. "Didn't even try to fight it or anything."

"Maybe you need to think about what you did to cause this," Ethan said knowing he was treading into dangerous waters.

Saffron normally would have blown up at him, but didn't really have the energy to do so. She only shook her head and slumped back in her chair.

"Mads wants to see you," Ethan said getting to his feet.

"Where is she?" Saffron asked.

"Out on the beach," Ethan replied. "You don't have to go out there now, just when you're ready."

"I'll go," Saffron pushed herself heavily off the chair. "Thanks..." she added dully.

"Never seen Saf like that," Ethan said to his father.

"I know," Harry gazed after her. "Hermione and I are worried about her."

"Good thing RJ's not here," Ethan remarked.

Harry nodded. "You aren't kidding," he replied.

Saffron headed down the beach where her sister in law was still sitting. "Hi Maddie," she said. "Ethan told me you wanted to see me?"

Maddie smiled and gave her a hug. "I just wanted to see how you were holding up."

"I'm okay," Saffron said. "Not good... or great... just okay."

Maddie squeezed her hand. "Ethan and I were worried about you."

"Thanks," Saffron sent her a wan smile.

"If you need anything, you just let me know," Maddie told her.

Saffron nodded. "I just wish I could get him out of my head."

"I felt the same way when Ethan and I broke up," Maddie said softly.

"But you two got back together," Saffron answered softly.

"Well, at the time, I didn't know we would," Maddie said. "I felt like I had lost a part of myself. But I had my sisters to lean on and my brothers and my mum and dad."

"I thought Ethan might give me a hard time about this but he didn't," Saffron said.

"He knows when to choose his battles," Maddie told her. "He cares about you, Saffy. We all do."

"Thanks Maddie," Saffron said as Puddles tugged at his leash.

"And I'm sure this little guy is going to do whatever he can to keep your spirits up," Maddie said smiling at the dog.

"He's my baby," Saffron pushed herself up. "I'll see you in a little while."

"Okay," Maddie said watching her sister-in-law head off down the beach. She was worried about Saffron. For some reason, she couldn't shake the feeling that the teenager was in for some very tough times.

*** *** ***

After dinner that evening, Gabriel stole Alexa away for a walk on the beach. Alexa had offered to stay behind with Saffron, but Saffron told her to and have fun. She still felt guilty for leaving her friend though.

"We'll bring her back some ice cream," Gabriel told Alexa as they set off down the beach.

"Okay," Alexa took his hand and squeezed it. "I HAVE been waiting all day to get you alone..."

Gabriel grinned. "Me too."

She leaned against him. "And I'm so happy it's finally summer so we get to spend all this time together."

"I couldn't agree more," Gabriel said. "And next year, you'll be in the States with me."

"I hope so," Alexa said. "I still have to get into the school."

"You will," Gabriel said loyally.

"And you still have to promise to show me around," Alexa teased him. "Not ditch me because I'm some lowly freshman."

"I would never do that," Gabriel said nudging her. "I'd just make you carry my books."

Alexa laughed. "So is that a subtle hint I should start lifting weights?"

"I didn't think it was all that subtle," Gabriel said chuckling.

Alexa nudged him. "Smartarse."

Gabriel pulled her close. "You think Saffy will be okay?"

"I hope so," Alexa sobered for a moment. "I feel guilty being so happy with you while she's so upset."

"I still can't believe she and Andrew broke up," Gabriel said. "I thought they were so tight."

"Me too," Alexa said quietly. "I wish Saffy would stop blaming RJ for their break-up though."

"I'm not his biggest fan, by any stretch of the imagination," Gabriel said. "But you don't believe he said those things in that article. Andrew said he didn't. Saffron just wanted to believe the worst."

"And it cost her, her relationship to Andrew," Alexa shook her head and sighed. "Let's talk about something else."

"I can talk about how beautiful my girlfriend is," Gabriel said with a grin.

Alexa laughed. "I like that topic."

"And how happy I am that we're finally together," Gabriel continued.

"I'm happy too," Alexa said as he stopped walking.

"That's all I want," Gabriel said pulling her to him. "For you to be happy."

She smiled at him. "I am... right now I think I'm the happiest girl around."

Gabriel grinned at her before leaning in and pressing his lips to hers.

Alexa closed her eyes and kissed him back, pressing her body against his.

This was what Gabriel had wanted to do with her since the moment he'd seen her that morning.

"Mmmm..." she murmured, opening her lips under his.

"Lexie," Gabriel whispered when they pulled apart.

"Hmm?" she asked, her eyes only half open.

"Nothing," Gabriel said softly. "I'm just really, really happy right now."

"Me too," she grinned at him before kissing him again.

Gabriel deepened the kiss, his arms snaking around her waist.

Alexa tried to pull him closer, pressing her lips to his even harder.

Gabriel still couldn't believe they were actually together. The letters they'd written over the last few weeks were great, but it was nothing compared to having her in his arms.

"I've missed doing things like this," Alexa said between kisses. "I got kind of spoiled at Easter with you."

"Me too," Gabriel said taking her hand. "But we have the whole summer."

"All summer," Alexa said dreamily, giving him another kiss.

"Hopefully my stepmother will leave us alone," Gabriel teased.

"She means well," Alexa laughed.

"She probably already has our children's names planned out," Gabriel joked.

"You mean you don't?" Alexa returned.

"I've given my ideas to Lavender," Gabriel said dryly.

Alexa poked him. "But you won't tell me?" she asked dramatically.

"You just have to have the babies," Gabriel said trying hard not to laugh. "I get to name them."

"Is that so?" Alexa asked, her eyebrow raised.

Gabriel nodded. "That's the rule."

"That's not my rule," Alexa kept a straight face.

"What's your rule then?" Gabriel asked.

"I get everything," Alexa replied.

"Including ice cream," Gabriel said as they came upon the ice cream stand. "What do you think Saffy would like?"

"Anything with chocolate," Alexa studied the list of flavours. "The double dark chocolate peanut butter caramel for her."

Gabriel looked at her. "That's an actual flavour?"

"It's right there," Alexa pointed.

"So it is," Gabriel said shaking his head.

"What can I get you?" the attendant asked.

"Double dark chocolate peanut butter caramel in a cup," Gabriel said. "And I'll take a chocolate cone. Lexie, what do you want?"

"Um..." Alexa scanned the list. "Strawberry cone, please?"

"Coming right up," the attendant said.

"I'll have to remember to take Emma here tomorrow," Gabriel told Alexa. "I promised her I would."

Alexa grinned at him. "She thinks you hung the moon."

"She's such a sweet kid," Gabriel said grinning back at her. "I couldn't say no."

"It's because YOU are so sweet," Alexa gave him a kiss.

Gabriel paid for the order and the two of them set off back toward the beach house.

"It was really nice of you to buy Saffy's ice cream," Alexa said.

"She is my cousin," Gabriel said. "And I want her to feel better."

Alexa leaned against him as she bit her cone.

They didn't say much else on the way back. They were content just to be together. When they arrived back at the house, the adults were in the sitting room talking. According to them, Saffron hadn't come out of her room. Alexa excused herself to go and give her friend the ice cream.

"Hey," she knocked on the door with her free hand. "I have ice cream for you Saffy. Gabe bought you double dark chocolate peanut butter caramel."

Saffron opened the door. "Hey...he didn't have to do that."

"He's worried about you," Alexa handed her the bag. "And he wants you to feel better."

"That's so sweet," Saffron said opening the bag and pulling out the container. "This actually looks quite good."

"He's taking Emma there tomorrow," Alexa plopped down on her bed.

"Em's first crush," Saffron said. "Maybe I should tell her that they all eventually grow up and break your heart."

"Right now you're just jaded is all," Alexa said. "Saffy you'll feel better soon and you'll date again."

"I think I remember saying the same thing to you when you and RJ broke up," Saffron mused.

Alexa smiled. "It was good advice."

"I've been up here thinking," Saffron said setting her ice cream aside. "And this really was my fault."

Alexa raised her eyebrows in surprise. "Really?"

Saffron nodded. "I still think RJ's a wanker, but I should never have let my feelings toward him get in the way of what Andrew and I had."

"That's good you realise that," Alexa encouraged. "Maybe if you tell Andrew that, you can work things out."

Saffron shook her head. "I'm not sure that would be enough, Lexie. And I just can't explain it. But I don't think I could ever find a way to get along with RJ. I hate him. I really, really hate him."

It wasn't what she had hoped to hear. "Saffy--"

"We've always been honest with each other, Lex," Saffron said quietly. "I wanted to try, but every time I see him, I remember what he did. I know, I know that you're over it now and you've moved on, but I just can't forget what he did. And how he just seems to land on his feet while everyone else suffers."

"But he's not a bad guy," Alexa stuck up for her ex boyfriend. "He went through a spell, that's all. I have Gabe now and I'm very happy with him. I hope RJ can find someone he's happy with again as well."

Saffron continued on like she hadn't even heard Alexa. "You know what my dad said? He's an 18-year old boy. What do you expect? Well, you know what? I expected a hell of a lot more than what I got!"

"Saffy," Alexa said. "He wasn't your boyfriend, okay? He was mine. And I'm over what happened. I think it's time you got over it too."

Saffron glared at her. "You are such a doormat, Alexa."

"Hey," Alexa stood up. "Don't take this out on me! I'm your friend, and I'm here to support you. But don't you dare scream at me because you're upset!"

"He cheated on you with Christina and then you took him back," Saffron argued, knowing she should shut up, but she couldn't help it. "And then he cheats on you with Serena Starr of all people. I imagine if Gabe hadn't been in the wings, you'd have taken him back too!"

Alexa shook her head. "Enjoy your ice cream Saffy. I'm not sticking around to listen to you."

"Get out then!" Saffron yelled.

"FINE!" Alexa shouted back. She left the room and slammed the door behind her.

Saffron fell back onto her bed and started to cry again. She didn't know why she'd said the things she'd said. It wasn't how she truly felt. But, she was hurting and she wanted everyone to feel as bad as she did. In all the years that she and Alexa had been friends, they'd never had a major argument.

"Baby what's wrong with me?" she asked her dog, who crawled next to her and laid his head on her stomach.

She could certainly understand if Alexa didn't want to speak to her ever again after the things she'd said.

Alexa was fuming as she went back downstairs. If her so called best friend thought she was a doormat and too forgiving, she certainly had another thing coming!

"Alexa?" Julie asked. "Everything okay?"

"Not really," Alexa shook her head. "Saffron's in a rotten mood and she's taking it out on me."

Julie sighed. "Maybe I should have a word with my little sister."

"I don't think it'd do any good," Alexa sat down in a chair.

"You and Saffron have never fought to my knowledge," Julie said sitting down. "Whatever she said, I'm sure she didn't mean it."

"She called me a doormat," Alexa shook her head. "And she's got this stupid excuse for a grudge against RJ. I'm sick of it."

"You can bunk with Ashley tonight if you'd like," Julie offered.

"Maybe," Alexa shrugged. "Thanks Julie."

Julie excused herself to go upstairs. She knocked on her sister's door. "Saffron Grace?"

Saffron heard her sister, but didn't acknowledge it.

Julie opened the door and stepped inside the room. Her sister's back was to her, but Julie wasn't going to be deterred.

"Pretend you're asleep if you'd like," Julie said sitting down on the edge of the bed. "But there's something you need to know. What happened to you was heartbreaking. And we all know you're hurting. If we could do something to make you feel better, we would. But, you're pushing everyone you love away from you when all they want to do is help."

Saffron closed her eyes and bit down on her lower lip to keep from crying even more than she already was.

"She's your best friend in the world," Julie said patting her sister's back. "I think you know what you should do."

"No one understands," Saffron sobbed.

"I do," Julie said softly. "You remember me telling you about my ex-boyfriend Ryan?"

"I think so," Saffron turned finally to face her sister.

"He was my first serious boyfriend," Julie explained. "I met him at University. We were really close, Saffy. I spent all my free time with him, but I never told him that I was magical. He was a Muggle and I wasn't sure how he'd take it. I thought that I should tell him the truth before things went any further. I was so afraid of how he'd react, but Chiaki told me he wouldn't care because he loved me so much."

"But you told him and he blew you off, right?" Saffron wiped her eyes.

Julie nodded. "He said some really horrible things to me and I don't ever remember feeling that hurt. I was so upset that when I came home, I couldn't even tell mum and dad what was wrong. I holed myself up in my room until mum made me come out. When I told her and Dad, Dad went ballistic. I thought he was going to kill Ryan, but instead he went to Ryan's flat and performed a memory erasing charm on him."

Saffron was quiet. "I wish someone could put one on me. Then I wouldn't have to feel this bad."

Julie reached for her sister's hand. "No, you don't. You and Andrew had some good times, too. You don't want to forget that, Saffron. And no matter how bad you feel, it's no excuse to treat your friends and family like dirt."

Saffron sighed. "I shouldn't have screamed at Lexie. She was just trying to help."

"There's the Saffron I know and love," Julie said giving her a hug.

Saffron hugged her sister. "I just hate feeling like this Jules. I miss Andrew so, so much."

"I know you do," Julie said. "But it will get better."

Alexa knocked gently on the door. "Don't worry. I'm not staying. I'm just going to get my pyjamas."

"Wait Lexie," Saffron got up. "I'm really sorry. I shouldn't have said those things to you."

Julie stood up, too. "I think I'll just go and check on the girls. Good night, Saffy, Lexie."

"Thanks Jules," Saffron said quietly.

Alexa set about quietly getting her pyjamas and her toothbrush.

"Please don't leave," Saffron said. "Lexie I didn't mean any of those things I said. Not even about RJ."

"You hurt my feelings," Alexa said rounding on her. "You called me a doormat!"

Saffron looked properly shamed. "I know. I was really awful just now to you. And I'm really, really sorry."

"You were a right cow to me," Alexa said her tone much softer.

Saffron nodded, tears pricking her eyes again. "I wouldn't blame you for turning your back and walking out of here," she said, her voice shaking.

Alexa opened her arms. "Even when you're being a cow, you're still my best friend."

"Really?" Saffron asked hopefully. "You'll forgive me?"

Alexa nodded and gave her friend a hug. "I'll roll out the doormat for you one more time."

"Thanks Lexie," Saffron hugged her friend tightly. "You're my best friend in the entire world. I love you to death, you know that."

"I love you too," Alexa said. "And I hate that you feel so bad, Saffy."

"I just miss him so much," Saffron's voice quivered. "I thought we would never break up."

"I know," Alexa said sympathetically.

"How did you do it?" Saffron asked.

"I had you," Alexa said smiling at her.

Saffron sat back down on her bed. "I just never thought it was possible to feel this bad..."

"I felt the same way," Alexa told her. "But you just give it one day at a time and it will get easier."

"I hope so," Saffron scratched behind Puddles's ears.

"We can talk about something else if you'd like," Alexa said. "Like when you'll be getting your Head Girl letter. You know Mary Ellen is going to have to eat crow..."

Saffron had to smile. "I hope so. I wonder if Jules knows."

"She's not going to tell if she does," Alexa said. "But you know you're a shoe-in."

"I have to be head girl," Saffron said fervently.

"It's in the bag," Alexa said loyally. "You have better marks than she does. I heard her complaining to one of her friends that she didn't think she did too well in her charms final."

"Charms?" Saffron asked. "But that exam was so easy!"

"Not for Mary Ellen," Alexa grinned.

Saffron smiled back. "I think... despite all this... that our seventh year is going to be our best one yet. I mean, we're the top of the school!"

"Absolutely," Alexa said. "Gosh...it seems surreal, doesn't it? We'll be starting our seventh and final year in just a couple of months."

"I wonder if I can balance being Head Girl with being Quidditch captain," Saffron said thoughtfully.

"Ethan did, didn't he?" Alexa asked.

Saffron nodded. "And I'm loads smarter than he is."

"Everyone in your family is super smart," Alexa said.

"We'll get to rule the school," Saffron replied with a smile.

"Yes we will," Alexa agreed. "And tomorrow, you are coming to the arcade with Gabe and me. And we'll see if Ashley wants to come with."

Saffron nodded. "Okay," she agreed. "I don't want to wallow like this."

"No wallowing anymore," Alexa said offering her friend her pinky finger. "Come on, Potter."

Saffron hooked her pinky with Alexa's. "You'll help me if I get in a funk? I promise not to be hurtful anymore."

"What are best friends for?" Alexa asked.

"Things like this," Saffron replied. "I can't imagine you not being here Lexie."

"I'm not going anywhere," Alexa said. "Come on, we should get ready for bed."

"Right," Saffron pulled out her pyjamas. "I have to let Puddles out before we go to sleep."

"Ooh," Alexa said with a grin. "That means I get to use the loo first."

"Hey wait!" Saffron squealed as Alexa ran from the room and across the hall.

"Not fast enough," Alexa called out from behind the bathroom door.

"Come on baby," Saffron said to her dog. "I'll let you go first too."

Puddles happily followed Saffron out of the bedroom and down the stairs.

"Hi sweetheart," Hermione said as her daughter came into the foyer. "How are you feeling?"

"Hi, Mum," Saffron said. "I'm doing better."

"Good," Hermione hugged her. "I'm glad to see a smile on your face."

"I'm going to put my wallowing behind me and try to enjoy the summer," Saffron said. "Lexie and Julie helped turn me around."

"Good for them," Hermione smoothed back her hair. "I'm proud of you baby."

"Thanks, Mum," Saffron said. "I'm sorry for how I treated everyone."

"I think everyone understands," Hermione nodded.

"Where's Daddy?" Saffron asked. "I was going to take Puddles out before I went to bed."

"He was just making sure the grill was out completely before we all turned in," Hermione looked back towards the kitchen. "Did you want him to walk you out there?"

"Yeah," Saffron replied. "That'd be nice."

"I'm sure he'd love to do it," Hermione smiled. "He's right out back."

Saffron retrieved Puddles' leash and then led him out onto the deck. "Daddy?"

Harry looked up. "Hi sweetheart."

"I'm just taking Pud out," Saffron told him.

"Want me to go with you?" Harry offered.

"You wouldn't mind?"

"Of course not," Harry chuckled. "You already know you have me wrapped around your little finger Saffy."

Saffron smiled. "Thanks, Daddy.'

Harry put an arm around her. "I'm glad to see you out of your room."

"Me too," Saffron said leaning against him.

"I heard Alexa talk about going to the arcade tomorrow," Harry said conversationally. "You going with them?"

Saffron nodded. "We're going to get Ash to come along."

"She'll enjoy that," Harry said. "I think she feels kind of lost here since there's no one her age around."

"I'll make more of an effort to include her," Saffron promised.

"She really looks up to you," Harry told her.

"I haven't done much to set a good example today," Saffron admitted.

"If you ask me, I think Ash is upset too. She denied it, but she had a crush on Andrew." Harry remarked.

Saffron nodded. "I'd forgotten about that, but you're right, Dad."

"She just wants you to be happy as well," Harry said as Puddles did his duty. "Come on, we should get back to the house."

Saffron looked at her father. "I want what you and mum have, Dad."

"You'll have it someday, Saffy," Harry told her. "I know you won't settle for anything less."

Saffron gave him a big hug. "Thanks, Daddy. I love you."

"I love you too baby," Harry kissed the top of her head.

"Good night," Saffron said to him.

"Night Saffy," Harry smiled at her. "Sleep well."

Harry turned out the rest of the lights and then headed upstairs to join his wife.

"I'm so happy she's feeling better," Hermione said as Harry came in. "Did you have a nice walk?"

Harry nodded. "She seemed more like her old self."

"That's good," Hermione crawled into the bed.

Harry stripped down to his boxers before joining his wife. "Jules still isn't talking to me."

Hermione frowned. "I'm as surprised as you are to learn about Oliver Wood... but it's not our place to get into it. Julie can handle it."

"I keep trying to tell myself that," Harry said. "But---I mean, he's my friend and I find out that he fancies my daughter!"

"I think it's more from him being a bachelor and all of a sudden having a younger woman there with him all the time," Hermione said. "It's infatuation, nothing more."

"It'd better be," Harry said putting his arm around his wife. "Who would have ever thought we'd see the day where WE were the sane ones?"

Hermione laughed. "I don't know. When did we get older?"

"When we had kids and they started having kids," Harry said pulling her close.

"It'll really hit me when the grandkids start having kids," Hermione snuggled against him.

"Luckily that's a long way's off," Harry said closing his eyes.

"I certainly hope so," Hermione ran her fingers over his chest. "But I know one thing that's never going to change."

"What's that?" Harry asked.

"How much I love you," she answered softly.

"I love you too," Harry said kissing her.

*** *** ***

RJ felt bad for his best mate. He felt even worse knowing that he was part of the reason Andrew and Saffron had broken up, even though Andrew had told him several times that it wasn't true.

"Come on," RJ coaxed. "Let's just go out for a round or two. I'll even buy. It'll just be us guys."

"I don't feel like it," Andrew said. "I appreciate it, but I just don't feel like going out.”

"Pizza then?" RJ suggested.

Andrew shook his head.

"Okay," RJ said defeatedly. "If you change your mind--"

"I know you're just trying to help," Andrew interrupted. "But I just feel like I made such a huge mistake."

"You could go to Brighton and tell her that you want to get back together," RJ suggested.

"I just got sick of her bitching about you," Andrew replied. "I gave her an ultimatum because that's what I felt like she was giving me."

"I can handle Saf," RJ told him. "She and I never got along anyway."

Andrew sighed and rubbed his forehead. "I can't stop thinking about her."

"Go to Brighton and get her back," RJ said. "It's simple."

"It's not that simple," Andrew told him. "She may be the girl I love, but you're my best mate. And if she can't accept that you're sticking around, then I can't be with her."

"I didn't ask you to do that, Andrew," RJ said quietly.

"I know you didn't," Andrew shook his head. "But that Howler she sent was the last straw. She didn't even wait to hear if it was true or not before flying off the handle and screaming at you. She may as well have taken it out on me."

"She's still going to blame me," RJ said. "So every family gathering from here until the day I die, she's going to shoot me looks that could kill.”

Andrew shrugged. "Guess it's a lost cause..."

"You and Saffy belong together, mate," RJ said. "Everyone knows that. I don't want to be the reason you two aren't together."

"If you were the only reason we were fighting, then I think we'd still be together," Andrew pointed out. "It just felt like there was something else wrong- like she didn't understand or respect my opinion on things."

"I really am sorry," RJ said. "If I hadn't been so stupid the two of you might not have found yourselves in this place."

"You aren't stupid," Andrew told his friend. "Maybe the fame went to your head in the beginning, but you got over it."

"Thankfully," RJ said with a grin.

"Are you still upset that Lex is with Gabe now?" Andrew asked.

RJ leaned against the counter. "I'm not happy about it, but I don't really have a say in who she's with, do I? If she's happy with him, I guess I'm okay with that."

Andrew shoved back his chair and stood up. "You know what? Let's go out. Let's go have that round. I'm tired of talking about this."

"Great idea," RJ said. "I'll owl Jason and see if he wants to meet us."

"Thanks," Andrew went to change clothes. In his bedroom, his eyes fell on a picture of himself and Saffron sitting on his bedside table.

It was one of his favourite photographs of the two of them together. They'd been so happy then.

He picked it up and looked at it for a few long moments. Merlin, he missed her.

For a few seconds, he contemplated calling the beach house. He had the number. But, if he knew his girlfriend, she hadn't changed her mind.

"Ex girlfriend," he reminded himself glumly, putting the photo face down on the table.

"Okay," RJ said. "Jason's meeting us at Jon's pub. You ready?"

"Just a minute," Andrew pulled off his dirty t shirt and pulled on a clean one.

A few minutes later, the two of them left the flat and walked the short distance to Jon's pub. His brother was in Brighton, but Victoria greeted them warmly.

"I thought you'd have been in Brighton," Victoria said to RJ.

"Not this year," RJ replied. "Couldn’t get the time off work.”

"Well, I'm always glad to see you, of course," Victoria said. "And you too, Andrew."

"Thanks," Andrew smiled at her. "I really like coming here- it's a great pub."

"Thanks in no small part to RJ's brother," Victoria said. "And Allie's new menu."

"Speaking of which," RJ snagged a menu. "Andrew here wants the pub specialty pizza while I'll have a double decker club."

"Coming right up," Victoria said with a grin.

A few moments later a completely flustered looking Jason came into the pub. His wedding to Monica was a few weeks away and he looked like he'd about had it.

"Thank you both for getting me out of the house," Jason said. "Monica, her mum, and my mum were arguing over the seating chart for the reception."

"You're in the final stretch," RJ teased him. "It's August third, right?"

"Right," Jason said. "That's the only thought that keeps me going."

"Where are you going on your honeymoon?" Andrew asked.

"We're just going to have a weekend at a bed and breakfast," Jason said. "We're spending most of our money on the wedding so we can't splurge on the honeymoon."

"Come on," RJ said. "You two have got to go somewhere nice for at least a week."

"Maybe if I was a Quidditch superstar like you two," Jason said. "But I'm not and Mon's still in university. Can't afford it right now."

"Well let us know if you need help with anything," Andrew offered, sliding a pint over to him.

Jason nodded. "Thanks. I'm just going to go and put my food order in. Be right back."

"Feeling any better?" RJ asked Andrew.

"A little," Andrew lied. "It's good to get out though and stop sulking."

"Good," RJ said encouragingly. "And once Quidditch starts, you'll be so busy you won't have time to mope."

"You mean when I get the chance to kick your arse again?" Andrew asked cheekily.

"And that's all it'll be," RJ replied. "A chance. It's not happening, Kirke."

"You just keep thinking that," Andrew said feeling a little better. "And we should probably think about planning Jase's stag weekend."

RJ nodded. "We'll be nice and not take him to the really bad strip joints."

"Monica would love that," Andrew said.

"What are you two talking about?" Jason asked rejoining them.

"Your stag weekend," RJ slapped him on the back.

Jason grinned. "My last weekend as a free man."

"No shit," RJ nodded. "I still can't believe you're getting married."

"I can't believe there's a woman out there who'd have you," Andrew joked.

"What about you?" Jason nodded at him. "You've got Saffron Potter practically all over you."

The smile on Andrew's face fell.

"Jase, Andrew and Saf broke up," RJ explained.

"Shite," Jason's grin turned to shock. "I'm sorry mate..."

"It's okay," Andrew said stoically. "It's for the best."

"How?" Jason asked. "You and Saffron are made for each other."

"Just didn't work out," Andrew said quietly.

RJ made eye contact with Jason and quickly shook his head. "Um... “He tried to think of something to change the subject.

Luckily, Victoria came over with their food. "It's on the house, boys."

"Hey thanks Victoria," RJ said appreciatively. "This looks bloody fantastic."

"You're quite welcome," Victoria said. "Andrew, you let me know what you think of that pizza."

"I will," Andrew nodded. "Thanks."

"Do you get to eat free all the time?" Jason asked once Victoria had left.

"I wish," RJ stuff half his sandwich in his mouth. "If Jon or Victoria is here then usually they'll make it on the house. But if one of the other blokes is here then I'll pay."

"Helps to have connections," Andrew said. "During Christmas hols, Saf and I came in here---"

He realised what he said and snapped his mouth shut. "Never mind..."

"How do you like the pizza?" RJ asked, trying to change the subject.

"It's great," Andrew replied. "Made me realise how hungry I am."

"Told you so," RJ said before eating one of his crisps.

"These pasties are fucking good," Jason was wolfing them down. "Your sister in law sure knows her food."

"Allie's a great cook," RJ said. "About as good as Nana. No wonder Em always wants to eat."

Andrew smiled as he thought of RJ's little niece. "She's a sweet kid."

"Maybe I should get her to come over more often," RJ said. "It's hard to be depressed and moody around Em."

"That's true," Andrew nodded. "And if she thinks you're upset she'll cheer you right up."

Jason groaned suddenly. "Here we go again."

"What?" RJ asked.

"Ever since I became engaged, all these girls are starting to come on to me," Jason said morosely. "That girl that took my order, for instance. Look---she's coming over here."

"Maybe she's not coming over here for you," Andrew said. "And how would she know you were engaged?"

"I don't know," Jason shrugged. "I think it's some sort of girl radar. They know when a bloke isn't available so they hit on him. You should know, McDreamy."

The waitress was tall and slender with shoulder-length brown hair. RJ couldn't remember ever seeing her in here before and he wondered if perhaps she was new.

"Can I get you lot another round?" she asked.

Before either of them could stop him, Jason stood up and held up his hands. "I think I should tell you that I'm engaged."

She gave him a quizzical look. "O-kay. Does that prevent you from wanting another round?"

RJ grinned at her. "I'll take another. Jase over here is cut off."

"Me too," Andrew said.

"Sure," she said smiling at them. "I'll be right back."

RJ laughed at Jason as he sunk into his chair. "You got busted."

Jason glared at him. "So, I made a mistake."

"A big one," RJ guffawed.

"Shut it," Jason grumbled.

RJ turned and looked after the pretty waitress. "I'll have to ask my brother about her," he said thoughtfully.

"I thought you were on the whole 'I want to be alone' kick," Jason said.

"I just think she's cute," RJ replied.

"Here she comes," Andrew said quietly.

"Here you go," the girl set the drinks down. "Sure I can't get you anything before you're tied down?" she teased Jason.

Jason blushed. "Well, not for me, but my friend here was wondering what your name was..."

"Audrey," she said with an easy smile.

"Have you worked here long?" RJ asked.

"A few weeks," she replied.

"My brother's partners with Victoria," RJ told her. "Jon Weasley?"

She smiled. "That's why you look familiar. You're not the twin, obviously, so you must be ...D.J.?

"RJ," he stood up and gave her a charming grin.

"Nice to meet you," she said smiling back at him.

"We're chopped liver," Jason said waving his hand at her.

"I thought something smelled appetizing over here," Audrey returned.

Andrew laughed. "That's chopped liver and I'm Andrew Kirke."

"Nice to meet you as well," Audrey replied. "How's your pizza?"

"Great," Andrew replied.

"So, what do you do when you're not here, Audrey?" Jason asked.

Audrey shrugged. "Usually I'm out with some friends. I really like going to the movies."

"I haven't had a chance to see any good films lately," RJ said. "Have you?"

"I just saw the new Seamus Finnigan one," she told him. "It was amazing."

"I know him," RJ replied. "He's a pretty cool bloke."

"You know him?" Audrey asked. "Yeah, right..."

"I swear," RJ replied. "He's actually in Brighton at the family's beach house right now. He'll be around here most of the summer."

"With his son, Gabriel," Jason said leaning back in his chair. "Who's now going out with RJ's ex who is best friends with Andrew's ex...."

RJ gave him a dirty look. "Hey, is that Monica over there?" he pointed.

"Where?" Jason asked looking wildly around.

RJ snorted. "You really are already married..."

Audrey laughed. "Well, I'll leave you boys to it. Let me know if you need anything else."

"I will," RJ replied. "I mean... we will."

"I bet she's Muggle," Jason said after she'd gone.

"Probably..." RJ replied, tearing his gaze away.

"I thought we were here to help Andrew wallow?" Jason asked.

"Andrew isn't wallowing," Andrew said. "If RJ sees a girl he fancies, I think he should go for it."

"I've never dated a Muggle girl before," RJ said thoughtfully.

"Why don't you go over there and ask her if she wants to see your wand?" Jason asked.

"Very funny," RJ replied. "I'll write to Jon and ask about her."

"Playing it cool," Jason said. "Sounds good."

RJ sneaked another look back at the bar. Audrey was up there laughing at something Victoria was saying.

Jason looked at his watch. "I'd better go. I promised Monica I'd be back."

"You are so already married," RJ chuckled. "You may as well slap a real ball and chain on your ankle."

"Very funny," Jason said throwing some bills down on the table. "You'll be the same when you get married."

"Won't happen for awhile," RJ answered.

"I'll see you," Jason said.

"Later mate," Andrew nodded.

"So you feeling better?" RJ asked his friend.

"Yeah," Andrew nodded. "Thanks RJ. I appreciate it."

"It's the least I could do," RJ said.

Andrew shook his head. "You can't blame yourself for me and Saffron breaking up."

"Hard not to," RJ said quietly. "I know how much you love her, mate."

"Yeah well..." Andrew sighed.

"Call her," RJ said.

"No," Andrew said. "She won't talk to me."

"She might," RJ said. "Come on. Vic'll let you use the phone."

"I don't think it's such a good idea--" Andrew began.

RJ shrugged. "If I know Saffy, she's probably sulking like you were before I dragged you out of the flat."

"I doubt Alexa would let her," Andrew said as RJ nearly dragged him to the bar.

"Audrey," RJ said. "Can we borrow your phone?"

"Maybe," Audrey said with a grin.

RJ grinned back at her. "Please? My friend here wants to make up with his girlfriend."

"I suppose its okay, if it's true love," Audrey said dramatically.

"I think this is a terrible idea," Andrew said as Audrey handed RJ the telephone.

RJ dialled the number of the beach house. "Its ringing." he thrust it at him.

Andrew sighed and took the receiver. It rang a couple more times before someone answered.

"Hello?" a man's voice answered. Andrew recognised the Australian accent straightaway.

"Nick, it's me, Andrew," Andrew said. "Is...Is Saffron there?"

"Andrew?" Nick asked. "Um... yeah she's just upstairs."

"Can I speak with her?" Andrew asked.

Nick paused for a moment. He didn't want to upset his sister in law when she had finally just come out of the room.

"Nick?" Andrew asked hesitantly.

"Just tell me you didn't call here to hurt her again," Nick told him.

"I didn't," Andrew said hastily.

"Just a minute," Nick put the phone down.

Andrew looked at RJ. "He's going to get her."

RJ nodded encouragingly. "You can work this out. I know you can."

Andrew nodded. It seemed like he waited an eternity but finally he heard her voice.

"H-hello?"

"Saffy?" Andrew plugged his ear so he could hear better.

"What do you want?" she asked quietly.

"I um..." Andrew tried to think of something to say. "I miss you."

Saffron was silent for a few moments.

Andrew blew out his breath. "I hate that things are like this."

"You---where are you?" Saffron asked. "At a party?"

"We're at Jon's pub," Andrew told her.

"You and---" Saffron asked. "RJ?"

"Yeah," Andrew replied, turning and walking down the side of the bar, hoping to find some quieter space to talk in.

"Oh," Saffron said. "You know it's hard to get over you when you call me like this."

"Saffy," Andrew sighed. "I meant it when I said I miss you. I think we could try and work things out."

"Maybe you should have thought about that before you gave me that ultimatum," Saffron said. "I miss you too, but you know how I feel about RJ."

"Saffy, you were giving me an ultimatum too, even if you never said it out loud," Andrew objected.

"I suppose," she reluctantly admitted.

"Look, can't we just meet up and talk?" Andrew asked.

He thought she was going to turn him down because she didn't say anything for a long time.

"Okay," she finally said. "When?"

"This weekend?" Andrew suggested. "I'll come to Brighton."

"Don't come to the house," Saffron told him. "I'll meet you at the arcade Saturday around noon."

"Oh... okay." Andrew replied. "The arcade it is then."

"It's strange being here without you," Saffron said softly.

"I wish I was there already," Andrew replied. "Saf, I still love you. You know that, right?"

"I still love you too," Saffron admitted.

"I really think if we can talk with level heads, we can work everything out," Andrew said. "I really want to."

"Me too," Saffron said. "Good night, Andrew."

"Bye Saf," Andrew hung up the phone, feeling better than he had all day.

"Wait, what's this?" RJ teased. "Is he grinning? Things went well?"

"She agreed to meet me," Andrew said.

"Good for you," Audrey said smiling at him.

"Saffron's a really great girl," Andrew explained.

"Somewhere in Brighton, there are a bunch of Potters, Malfoys and Finnigans who are breathing a sigh of relief," RJ teased.

"Sounds like quite the get together," Audrey leaned on the bar. "Why aren't you blokes there?"

"We had to work," RJ said which was partly true. If this girl was a Muggle, he certainly couldn't tell her they were professional Quidditch players. For one thing, she wouldn't know what that was and for another, if he told her what it was, she'd think he was mental.

"I see," Audrey replied. "Well I'm glad you both took time out of your busy schedules to stop by tonight." she smiled at both of them, but her eyes skipped to RJ.

"Me too," RJ said smiling back at her. "It was nice meeting you, Audrey."

"You as well," Audrey replied. "I'll have your brother give me all the dirt on you when he comes back."

"Don't believe a word of it," RJ said.

Audrey laughed. "Come back soon. I'll buy you a drink." she smiled at him again.

"I'll take you up on that," RJ said.

"Glad you're feeling better, Andrew," Audrey said before leaving to check on her tables.

Andrew watched her go. "Damn," he shook his head. "You work fast."

"I didn't do anything," RJ said innocently. "And I can't pine away for Lexie forever. She's moved on. I think it's time I did the same."

"That's good," Andrew nodded. "Hey, what's that?" he looked over at a little slip of paper in front of his friend.

RJ picked it up and unfolded it. He grinned. "Her number."

Andrew laughed. "Nice..."

"Let's go home," RJ said. "Early start tomorrow."

"For me too," Andrew said as they left the pub.

Back at the Brighton beach house, Saffron needed someone to talk to about that phone call and what this all meant. Alexa was out with Gabe and Julie was out on the deck with Nick and the girls. Saffron went into the sitting room and was happy to see her mother and father. "Mum?"

"Hi sweetheart," Hermione smiled at her daughter.

Harry looked at her. "Everything okay, love?"

Saffron nodded. "Yeah, actually, things are good right now. Andrew's coming Saturday so we can try and work things out."

Hermione smiled. "That's great, Saffy."

Saffron nodded. "I hope it'll all be okay."

"Just listen to each other," Hermione told her. "And keep a level head and an open mind."

"I'll try," Saffron said. "But no matter what he says, I'm not going to be friends with RJ."

"No one's asking you to," Hermione said. "But you can find some way to peacefully co-exist."

Saffron shrugged. "I just want to be with Andrew again."

"We just want you to be happy," Harry said patting the empty space between he and his wife. "Come here, sweetheart."

Saffron gladly sat between them. "I'm so glad you guys are my parents," she said.

Harry put his arm around her. "We're kind of fond of you too."

Saffron grinned. "You're just both pretty cool, is all I'm saying. Some parents are old and annoying, but you two aren't."

"Did you hear that, Hermione?" Harry asked. "We're cool."

"I think it means I can retire as Minister," Hermione teased. "Because all my life, I just wanted to be cool."

Saffron giggled. "You're all set now, Mum."

Hermione kissed the side of her daughter's head. "I know we always tell you this, but your dad and I really are proud of you Saffy."

"I'm sorry for how I acted earlier," Saffron said. "I know you guys were just looking out for me."

"We know you were hurting," Harry told her.

"It's still no excuse," Saffron said leaning against her mother.

Ethan came into the sitting room and put his hand to his heart. "She's smiling!"

"Very funny," Saffron threw a pillow at him.

Ethan caught it and flung it back at her. Saffron ducked in time, but it hit Hermione.

"Ethan James!"

"Sorry Mum," Ethan said sheepishly. "Meant to hit the brat."

"Get him, Mum," Saffron urged.

Hermione threw the pillow back at her son, who ducked, but was hit by one from Harry.

"Dad!" Ethan protested. "No fair!"

Harry laughed. "A good Auror never turns his back." he joked.

"Not with the two wicked witches around," Ethan said throwing the pillow back at Saffron.

"I am not a wicked witch!" Saffron squealed, pummelling her older brother.

Ethan fell to the floor. "You are, Saffron Grace!"

"Ethan you suck!" Saffron summoned several of the couch cushions to continuously hit him.

"At least I'm not a brat," Ethan said turning the tables on his sister and tickling her.

"ETHAN!" Saffron was laughing too hard to say anything else.

Hermione shook her head. "Be careful. I don't want anyone to get hurt!"

Harry chuckled. "It's good to hear her laugh like that."

"Saf fights like a girl anyway," Ethan taunted.

"I am a girl you nitwit," Saffron replied.

"Nitwit?" Ethan asked tickling her side again. "You're a nitwit. Maybe I'll tell Alexa and Gabe about your imaginary friend that you used to have....what was his name?"

"Sod off," Saffron hit his shoulder. "You were the one who nicknamed Maddie Princess Cruella."

"OW!" Ethan yelped. "Saffy----"

"Her imaginary friend's name was Maurice," Harry remembered.

Hermione laughed. "Where on earth did you come up with a name like Maurice?"

"You remember, Mum," Ethan said sitting up. "That was the name of that male model who was giving Aunt Lav a hard time about some show. Saffy liked his name...Maurice, Maurice, Maurice!"

"Shut up!" Saffron hit him again. "I did not have an imaginary friend! I just liked the name!"

"You made Greta set a place for him at the table," Ethan teased.

Saffron glared at him. "What about the time you pulled up the floorboards in my room to make a moat?" she fired back, changing the subject.

"I was protecting you," Ethan said defensively.

"From the monsters," Saffron rolled her eyes. "I can't believe you thought there were monsters in your closet and under my bed."

"I was eight years old," Ethan told her. "And I was trying to protect my baby sister."

"It was sweet," Hermione said. "Although, I find it interesting no one ever told me about this moat..."

"Um, I didn't know about it until after he'd done it," Harry said sheepishly. "And I made him fix it..."

Hermione shook her head. "Wouldn't do me much good to get angry now would it?"

"Go ahead Mum," Saffron said. "Get angry at Ethan."

"Saf," Ethan said nudging her. "How about you and I quit while we're behind?"

"You're behind," Saffron said with a devilish grin. "I wonder what your mate Justin would say if I told him you were afraid of me."

"I am not afraid of you," Ethan said quietly. "Much."

"Yeah right," Saffron smiled at him.

"You are a bit scary," Ethan said. "You and Mum both...you get this look in your eyes...just like she does... "

"Ethan James!" Hermione exclaimed. "I am not scary!"

"You kind of are," Harry said.

"Harry James!" Hermione turned on her husband.

Harry shrugged. "Almost as scary as your Grandpa Malcolm."

Saffron laughed. "I kind of like being scary."

"You just like having people be afraid of you," Ethan said tickling her again.

"That too," Saffron giggled. "But I guess I could never be TOO mean to you Ethan. You're just lucky you're my brother."

"Don't I know it, brat," Ethan said giving her a hug.

"Just don't let it get around I'm a softie," Saffron replied.

"No one would believe me," Ethan said getting to his feet. "I'm going to bed."

"I think we will too," Harry offered his hand to his wife.

"I'm going to read for a bit and then I'll go on up too," Saffron said. "Good night, you guys."

"Night sweetheart," Hermione said.

For the first time since they'd arrived at Brighton, Saffron actually felt happy. She knew that she and Andrew had a lot of things to talk about, but she had a feeling that they could work this out.

178. Chapter 178

Authors’ note: This is a nice long chapter. No cliffhanger ending for this chapter, we promise you that. Really. We really, really promise. This one has Lizzy’s arrival at the Brighton beach house and also Seamus tells his son about seeing Samantha’s ghost. There’s also a nice little flashback in here, too. We hope you enjoy the chapter!

Lizzy arrived in Brighton several days after everyone else, relieved that she finally would get to spend time with her husband and children. Even though she figured Josh was still upset with her, she had missed him.

"Hello?" she called out setting her bag down beside the fireplace.

She heard little feet and smiled happily when Noah came stumbling into the room. "Mama!" his eyes lit up.

"Hey my little angel," Lizzy said scooping him up into her arms.

"Hi Lizzy," Allison came into the room. "We thought the kids might have gotten a little sunburnt so we kept them in today."

"You are a little red," Lizzy said touching Noah's cheek.

"Mama stay?" Noah asked.

"Mama stay," Lizzy kissed his cheek. "Ooh I missed you so, so much."

Casey toddled into the room followed by Emma.

"Mama! Mama!" Casey exclaimed.

"Hi sweetheart," Lizzy crouched down and embraced her daughter.

"They all missed you," Allison said to Lizzy. "Me too."

"I'm so glad to finally be here," Lizzy said as Emma also threw herself into their hug. "Hi Em," she laughed.

"Case sleep with me and Han," Emma told her.

"How do you like sleeping with the big girls?" Lizzy asked her daughter. "Are you having fun?"

Casey nodded enthusiastically. "Love Em."

"Em loves Casey too," Emma said, patting her cousin's red hair.

Lizzy grinned and stood up. "Where's Josh and Aidan?"

Allison motioned toward the kitchen. "The kids just had a snack and Aidan's still eating his."

"Great," Lizzy said. "I'll go drop this off in the bedroom and join you in a moment."

Allison smiled. "Okay. I'm glad you're here, Liz."

"Thanks," Lizzy gave her best friend a hug.

Lizzy hurried upstairs with her bags. The room was a little messy, which wasn't like Josh.

She used her wand to unpack quickly and made the bed by hand then picked up the few items of clothing scattered on the floor.

She freshened up a bit before going downstairs to confront her husband. He was still in the kitchen with Aidan.

"You want some more peanut butter, Aidan?" Josh was asking his son.

"Dada," Aidan nodded. "Yummy!"

"You have an appetite like your cousin Emma," Josh said grabbing the jar and placing a spoonful down on Aidan's plate.

"Where's Em?" Aidan asked as Lizzy appeared in the doorway. "MAMA!"

"Hi, Aidan!" Lizzy exclaimed with a grin. "What are you eating?"

"Butter," Aidan held up a cracker.

"Can Mama have one?" Lizzy asked holding out her hand.

"Kay," Aidan extended his arm to her. "For Mama."

Lizzy took the cracker. "Thank you, sweetheart."

She kissed her son's cheek and looked over at her husband. "Hi Josh," she said softly.

"Elizabeth," Josh said quietly. "Can I get you anything?"

She was stung by his cold tone. "Josh please--"

"Sorry," Josh said his tone softer. "I'm glad you're here."

She chanced a smile. "I missed you guys."

"We missed you too," Josh said. "I can fix you a sandwich if you like. This little guy didn't eat all the peanut butter."

"That'd be lovely," Lizzy answered. "I'm rather sick of hospital food. Something homemade would hit the spot."

"How about a turkey and cheese sandwich with some potato salad?" Josh asked. "Mum made it last night."

"Sounds wonderful," Lizzy looked over at Aidan who was busily smearing peanut butter on his face.

"Aidan!" Lizzy laughed.

He grinned back at her, making Josh laugh as well.

"You, young man, are a mess." Lizzy reached for a napkin.

"Mess," Aidan said happily.

"So what have they been up to?" Lizzy asked her husband.

"Mainly the beach, but they were a little red this morning," Josh explained. "So was Em. So Allie and I decided to keep them in today."

"Good idea," Lizzy said. "I--I was hoping that maybe we could take the triplets to the arcade this afternoon."

"Sure," Josh replied.

Lizzy smiled. "So, we're okay?"

Josh looked over at his wife. "Yeah," he replied. "I did miss you Liz."

"I missed you too," Lizzy said softly.

Casey came into the kitchen with Noah. "Dada, go beach."

"No beach today baby," Josh set a plate in front of his wife.

"Beach now," Casey pouted.

"Not until tomorrow," Josh replied.

"Mean," Casey said plopping down on the floor. "Mean Dada."

"Casey," Lizzy said. "Daddy's not mean."

"Mama beach?" Casey asked hopefully.

Lizzy shook her head. "No beach today. We're going to go play games instead!"

"Oooh," Aidan said clapping his messy hands together.

"Games?" Casey asked, her curiosity piqued.

"You remember that place that has all those fun games and the sweets?" Josh asked his daughter.

Casey nodded. "Go play games now!"

"Let's get your brother cleaned up," Lizzy said. "And then we can go."

"You finish up your lunch," Josh picked Aidan up. "I'll take care of this guy."

"Thanks," Lizzy said. She took a bite of her potato salad. "This is really good."

"Bite?" Casey pushed herself up and toddled over.

"Come here," Lizzy said picking her up. "You can have a bite."

"Yummy," Casey leaned back against her.

"So what have you been doing?" Lizzy asked.

"Beach," Casey said. "Make... cas-el."

"Big castle?" Lizzy asked.

"Big!" Casey held out her little arms. "This big!"

"That big?" Lizzy asked gasping. "Did you take a picture for me to see?"

"Don't know..." Casey poked her lower lip out.

"I'll ask your daddy when he comes back," Lizzy said picking up the spoon and holding it up for Casey. "This is a good bite right here."

"Thanks Mama," Casey said.

"You’re welcome baby," Lizzy said kissing the top of her head.

"Monsters 1 and 2 are ready for games," Josh announced, carrying his sons back into the kitchen.

"Monster 3 is helping me finish lunch," Lizzy said before taking another bite of her sandwich.

"Almost done!" Casey told him.

"Nice of you to help your mummy," Josh said with a laugh.

"She's just like her cousin Em," Lizzy finished her sandwich and let her daughter polish off the potato salad.

"Em," Casey said happily.

"Em!" Noah called out.

"Em's here!" Emma ran into the kitchen.

Casey slid off of Lizzy's lap. "We go play!"

"Em wants to go to the beach," Emma looked up at her mother. "Em's bored!"

"Why don't you come to the arcade with us?" Lizzy asked Allison.

"Oooh!" Emma's eyes lit up. "Can Em go too? Please?"

"Would I go to the arcade without you?" Allison asked picking her up. "Why don't you go ask your dad if he wants to come too?"

"What about Sissy and Adam?" Emma asked.

"They can come too, of course," Allison said.

"Yay!" Emma ran to the porch. "DADDY!"

Jon was playing Exploding Snap with Caroline and he looked up just in time to see her launch herself at him. "Emma Madeline!"

"Daddy go to arcade?" Emma asked.

"Ooh! Can we, Daddy?" Caroline asked.

"We sure can," Jon replied.

"Adam too?" Emma asked. "Can't leave Adam."

"Adam too, of course," Jon said. "Why don't you two go change?"

"Kay," Emma said eagerly taking Caroline's hand and rushing back into the house.

Jon cleared away their game and went into the kitchen. He was happy to see his brother and sister-in-law joking and talking with each other.

"Hey, Liz," Jon said. "Glad to see you made it!"

"Hi Jon," Lizzy stood up and gave her brother in law a kiss on the cheek. "I just got in."

"Mama stay," Aidan told his uncle.

"That's right big guy," Jon tickled his nephew. "Your mum's sticking around."

Aidan giggled and raised his arms. "Up!"

"Up?" Jon asked. "Like this?" he swung Aidan up into the air.

Aidan laughed. "Yes!"

"I'm going to go and get Adam ready," Allison said. "Behave, Jonathan."

"Who me?" Jon asked. "I always behave."

"You shouldn't lie in front of the children," Josh told his brother.

"Is your daddy silly?" Jon asked his nephew.

Aidan nodded. "Silly Dada."

Lizzy put her arm around Josh and smiled sideways at him. "I love you, you know."

Josh kissed her. "I love you too Liz. I'm sorry I was so cross with you before."

"Me too," Lizzy said. "I wouldn't have missed this, you know? They really needed me at the hospital.”

"I know," Josh assured her. "I'm really, really glad you're here now though."

"Me too," Lizzy said leaning against him.

Emma and Caroline came back downstairs dressed in shorts and t-shirts. Emma smiled up at her father. "Em play Daddy and win!"

"You think you'll win against me?" Jon teased her.

Emma nodded. "Beat you really good, Daddy!"

"We'll just see about that," Jon said. "If I win, you'll have to get me a prize!"

"What do you want?" Emma asked. "A bear?"

"No way," Jon picked her up. "I want a big piece of chocolate cake!"

"You can win that?" Emma asked softly.

"Loser buys the winner a big piece of chocolate cake," Jon nodded. "Do we have a deal, Emma Madeline?"

Emma whispered in his ear. "Em no have money, Daddy."

Jon laughed. "I guess that means I'll have to buy my Em and my Caroline some chocolate cake if I win or lose."

Caroline giggled. "Thanks, Daddy."

Lizzy smiled at her niece. "What's this I hear about you trying out for the lead in your recital?"

Caroline blushed. "Tryouts are after we get back. I really hope I can win the lead."

"She's been practising every morning," Allison said proudly.

"I bet you're a shoo-in," Lizzy told her goddaughter. "And when you're on stage, I'll be right in the front row watching."

Carline beamed at her. "Thanks, Aunt Lizzy."

"Em's ready to go!" Emma announced. "Em wants to win for Gabey!"

"He's not coming with us, sweetheart," Jon said tweaking her nose.

"But Em will win for Gabey," Emma replied. "Bring home present for Gabey!"

Jon laughed. "Okay then."

While that group headed into town, the rest of them were soaking up the remaining afternoon sunlight just down the beach from the house.

"It sure is strange being here without my mum and dad," Maddie told Ethan as they stretched out on a beach blanket.

"I know," Ethan replied. "Much quieter, actually."

Maddie hit him on the arm. "Are you saying that we Weasleys are loud?"

"You said it not me," Ethan grinned at his wife.

"We are kind of loud," Maddie said. "Especially when we're all together."

"Especially when you're not eating," Ethan cracked.

"Very funny," Maddie said hitting him again on the arm. "You remember me at Hogwarts. I was quiet and kept to myself."

Ethan leaned over and gave her a kiss. "Want to go for a walk?"

"I'd love that," Maddie replied.

Ethan stood up then offered her his hand. "Oi Nick!" he shouted. "Mads and I will be back soon!"

Nick waved at them before returning his attention to Ashley. "What are you drawing, sweetheart?"

"Just a picture of some of the houses," Ashley said. "I normally just draw people, and I want to try some other things."

"Can I see?" Nick asked.

Ashley handed her sketchbook to her father. "Do you like it?"

"Ash, that's amazing," Nick said grinning at her.

"Really?" Ashley asked happily.

"Yes, really," Nick told her, handing her back her sketchbook. "I don't know how you do it."

She blushed. "I just sort of put my pencil to the paper and draw."

"That's how it is for me when I sit down at the piano," Nick said. "Sometimes the melody and the words just come to you."

"I love drawing," Ashley said fervently. "I don't ever want to do anything but art."

Nick put his arm around her. "You have quite a talent, sweetheart. You know your mum and I are behind you in whatever you do."

"Thanks Daddy," Ashley said.

"And I can't believe you're going to start Hogwarts in a couple of months," Nick said. "Just yesterday I was teaching you how to walk."

Ashley giggled. "Aunt Saffy says she'll show me all the ropes there."

Nick nodded. "And you'll have your mum there, too. Which puts my mind at ease."

"I'll miss you a lot Daddy," Ashley told him.

"I'll miss you too, baby," Nick said giving her a hug. "Very much."

"I'll write all the time," Ashley promised. "To you and to Katie. And you'll have to promise to take good care of Sophie for me."

"We will," Nick said. "And now...how about you and me go and get some ice cream?"

"Chocolate?" Ashley asked hopefully.

"Is there any other kind?" Nick asked standing up and offering her his hand. "Your mum and sister like that boring old strawberry.'

Ashley giggled as he helped her up. "I know- I like strawberry too, but only when it's mixed with chocolate!"

"See?" Nick said tickling her side.

Ashley laughed and impulsively gave him a hug. "I love you Daddy."

"I love you too, sweetheart," Nick said hugging her tightly. "I look at you and your sister and I think I did something right."

"You do a lot of things right," Ashley told him.

Nick grinned. "Well you and Katie are the two that I'm most proud of."

Ashley grinned. "She's doing much better on her reading now, isn't she?"

Nick nodded. "And I wanted to thank you for helping her."

"I'm glad to do it," Ashley replied. "She's not so bad when she's not angry about something. It's easier to get along with her."

Nick nodded. "She's just frustrated."

Ashley nodded. "Katie doesn't like having to work while we're on holiday."

"I know," Nick said remembering how he and Julie had to force her to work an hour that morning.

"I hope she stops complaining soon," Ashley sat down as her father got out the ice cream.

"Don't count on it," Nick muttered. "How many scoops you want?"

"Two please," Ashley said. "Can I have one of each flavour so I can mix them?"

"Of course," Nick said in a dramatic voice.

Ashley smiled as the back door open and Saffron came in with Alexa and Gabe. Puddles was straining on the leash, pulling them forward.

"Puddles!" Saffron exclaimed. "Wait!"

Ashley laughed as the dog yanked her aunt forward.

"He's active this afternoon," Saffron said laughing.

"I'll say," Nick replied with a grin as Saffron undid the leash.

Ashley smiled at her aunt. "We were going to have ice cream. Do you guys want some?"

"Sure," Alexa sat down beside her. "You look so pretty with your tan, Ashley."

Ashley smiled. "Thanks."

Gabriel also grinned at her. "Draw anything new?"

"Show them that sketch you were doing," Nick said.

Ashley blushed. "Okay," she said shyly, turning the pages in her sketchbook.

She hesitated a few moments before handing the sketchbook to Saffron.

"Ashley you drew this?" Saffron asked. "This is incredible!"

"You think so?" Ashley asked. "It's not finished yet."

"I wish I could draw like that," Alexa said enviously. "I'm really great with stick people."

"Aunt Saffy said you were a great writer," Ashley said.

"She's a fantastic writer," Gabriel put an arm around his girlfriend.

Alexa smiled at him. "He's biased."

"I am not," Gabriel nuzzled her neck. "Okay... maybe just a bit."

Saffron laughed and sat down beside her niece. "Pay no attention to them. They're in lurve."

"Like you and Andrew," Ashley said to her aunt. "I'm really glad he's coming to talk to you."

Saffron smiled. "Me too, Ash. We have a lot to talk about."

Nick set bowls of ice cream out for all of them. "Dig in everyone."

"Thanks, Mr. Malfoy," Gabriel said. "It looks great."

"I love mixing it like this," Ashley vigorously stirred her ice cream together.

"You always have loved to do that," Saffron remembered.

Gabriel laughed. "My mom used to make these incredible milk shakes out of fudge brownie ice cream and Neapolitan."

"That sounds yummy," Ashley said. "We'll have to try it, right, Daddy?"

"I bet Greta could come up with something like that," Nick nodded.

"Speaking of Greta," Saffron asked. "Is she coming up here? It's been ages since I saw her."

"She stayed back at the house with Sophie," Nick told her. "I think it's like a little holiday for her to have the house to herself."

"I want to spend more time with her and my Gran," Saffron said.

"I'm sure she'd love that," Nick replied.

"This is your old nanny right?" Gabriel asked.

Saffron nodded. "Greta's amazing."

"She's our nanny now," Ashley told him. "And I imagine if Uncle Ethan and Maddie have kids, she'll move on to them."

Nick laughed. "Greta's not immortal, Ash. She'll probably retire soon as Katie goes to Hogwarts."

"Really?" Saffron asked. "But--"

"What?" Ashley asked.

"I always thought that if I had kids, she'd come and be their nanny," Saffron explained. "She wasn't just a nanny to me. I thought of her like another grandmother."

"I'm sure she'd love that," Nick told her gently. "But Saffy, she's in her seventies now."

Saffron nodded. "I know."

"I'll baby sit for you when you have kids," Ashley volunteered.

"Thanks," Saffron said. "But that's going to be a way off, Ash."

"Where are Katie and Julie?" Alexa asked.

"Still out on the beach," Nick replied.

"So are my mum and dad," Saffron said.

"It's supposed to rain tonight and part of tomorrow," Nick said. "I imagine everyone just wants their fill of the sun."

"We get enough rain in London," Saffron said pushing her empty bowl away. "Why does it have to rain here?"

"Because Mother Nature wants to piss you off?" Gabriel teased.

"Yeah, she always has had it in for me," Saffron said sticking her tongue out at him.

"So much for our walk on the beach later," Alexa said to her boyfriend in disappointment.

"We can cuddle on the covered porch," Gabriel said smiling at her.

"I love that idea," Alexa leaned against him.

Saffron smiled at the happy couple as she walked past them to get to the icebox. The smile fell from her face when she saw a note.

Jon--call RJ when you get back. He has something to ask you about.

She was tempted to crumple the note and throw it away, but out of respect for Jon she didn't.

"Aunt Saffy?" Ashley asked.

"Yeah Ash?" Saffron turned around.

"Do you think I'll get sorted into Gryffindor?" Ashley asked. "Mum seems to think there's a good chance I might get into Ravenclaw."

"I hope you'll go to Gryffindor with me," Saffron replied. "But Ravenclaw's not so bad either."

"I really want to be in Gryffindor," Ashley said. "You're there and so's Alexa. And then it's the same house that Mummy and Uncle Ethan were in and Aunt Chiaki and all the Weasleys..."

"I'm sure you'll get in," Saffron assured her. "And even if you don't, you can still come to me with anything you need."

"Because you're going to be her royal highness, right?" Gabriel asked with a wink at Alexa. "Her Supreme Greatness..."

"Sod off Gabe," Saffron laughed.

"She's going to find out in a couple of days," Alexa said. "It's between her and this cow, Mary Ellen."

"Wait until you meet Mary Ellen," Saffron rolled her eyes at her niece. "You'll want to bay at the moon, she's so hideous."

Ashley giggled. "Really?"

"Unfortunately she's not lying," Alexa confirmed.

"She and I have competed over everything," Saffron told her niece. "Except Quidditch because she couldn't fly to save her life. During her first lesson, she messed up and the broom hit her square in the forehead."

Gabriel, Ashley and Nick laughed at that.

"Has Jules said anything to you about who it is?" Saffron asked her brother-in-law.

Nick shrugged and hoped he looked innocent, and then winked at his daughter when Saffron looked away in disappointment.

"The suspense is killing me," Saffron said putting her head in her hands. "I swear if Mary Ellen's Head Girl, I will not go back to school out of protest."

"Yes you will," Alexa nudged her.

"And there's no way Mary Ellen Cow would beat you."

"You girls are harsh," Gabriel commented. "She can't be THAT bad."

Alexa and Saffron both scoffed. "You have no idea Gabe," Alexa told her boyfriend.

"The only marks that she has better than me are in Potions and that's because Snape hates everyone named Potter," Saffron said.

"But Snape has no say in who gets to be Head Girl," Alexa reminded her.

"Do you know he used to come over to our house in Sydney when I was a kid," Nick said thoughtfully.

"Really?" Saffron asked, scrunching up her nose in disgust.

"That's so gross," Alexa shuddered.

"He kind of scared me when I was little," Nick said.

"He still scares me," Alexa admitted.

"I wish I didn't have to have him," Ashley wrapped her arms around herself.

Saffron put her arm around her niece. "He gives you any trouble, you let me know."

"Thanks Aunt Saffy," Ashley said gratefully. "I'm so glad you'll be there for my first year."

"Anyone gives you any trouble, you let me know," Saffron said. "I mean it. No one is going to mess with you, Ash."

Nick laughed. "Nice to know my daughter has a bodyguard."

"Two of them," Alexa said. "Though I'm nowhere near as intimidating as Saffy."

"No one's as intimidating as Saffy," Gabriel drawled.

"Awwww," Saffron said blinking her eyes at him. "That's the sweetest thing you've ever said to me!"

"Don't get used to it," Gabriel returned. "I save all my sweet words for this girl here."

Alexa smiled at him and felt happier than she could remember being in quite some time.

Just outside, a car pulled up in the drive. Lavender had spent the day in London going over some business with her boutiques and Seamus had to visit the office to take some calls.

The couple were also hatching a surprise for Gabriel. Or at least, trying to. They were going to see if Lewis and Margaret would come to London for a week's vacation.

"You really think he's going to go for it?" Seamus asked his wife.

"I'm sure he'll be thrilled," Lavender assured him. "He misses them while he's here."

"It's not Gabe I'm worried about," Seamus said. "It's Lewis. I mean, we've made some inroads, but he still doesn't care for me that much. I just---I think it would be nice for Gabriel if both sets of his grandparents could meet."

"Maybe this will help then," Lavender replied.

"I hope so," Seamus said taking her hand. "Remember, don't say anything to him."

"Not a word," Lavender gave him a kiss.

They walked up the porch steps and Lavender frowned when she saw Harry sitting on the swing with Hermione.

"Where did you get those awful sunglasses?" Lavender asked him.

"From your shop," Harry retorted.

"You didn't because I wouldn't sell anything so ghastly," Lavender countered. "They make you look like a fly, Harry."

"It's so nice to see you too," Harry said sarcastically.

"You two look all nice and tan," Seamus said to Hermione.

Lavender looked at Harry. "You still look kind of pasty though, Harry."

"You know, I hear the hotel down the block is really nice," Harry replied. "We don't have any more room here."

"You're just mad because I tell you the truth," Lavender said setting her bag down. "And I'm only trying to help you. If you want to be the Hottest Wizard again, you really need to work on your image..."

Harry snorted. "I held the title for years. I don't care about that anymore."

"Why do you keep the magazines then?" Lavender asked gleefully.

"Lavender, leave him alone," Hermione stuck up for her husband. "He's still the sexiest wizard in the world to me."

"Thank you, Hermione," Harry said putting his arm around her.. "That's the only vote that matters to me."

Lavender rolled her eyes. "Where's everyone at?"

"Gabe's inside with Alexa and Saffy," Hermione told her.

"And Lav's not going to meddle," Seamus interjected.

"I don't need to," Lavender said. "They're together and they're happy."

"There was something I was hoping to ask you both about," Seamus said to Harry and Hermione.

"What's that?" Harry asked.

"I was going to try and have my parents come down for a couple of days," Seamus explained. "And I was hoping to invite Sam's mum and dad too so they could get to know each other. I think it would be great for Gabe. But since this is your house..."

"You know they're more than welcome," Harry replied. "Do Gabriel's grandparents know about magic though?"

Seamus hadn't thought about that. "Um, no."

"The hotel down the street really is lovely," Hermione said. "Perhaps they might like it better staying there with your parents... if that's what you'd like."

"Or maybe," Lavender said touching her husband's arm. "Maybe we should tell them."

"I don't think Lewis would react well at all," Seamus shook his head.

"But you can't hide this from him forever," Lavender said. "And what if Gabriel slips up one day and mentions something and if he and Alexa one day decide to get married---"

"Aren't you getting a little ahead of yourself?" Hermione asked her cousin. "Lav, the two of them just started dating a few months ago. And they're both so young."

Lavender shook her head. "I was just giving an example, Hermione. I just think it would be best if everything was out in the open."

"I'll think about it," Seamus replied.

"Dad!" Gabriel exclaimed as he came out onto the porch. "I thought I heard your voice."

"Hi son," Seamus stood up and hugged him. "Miss your old man?"

"Quite a bit," Gabriel replied. "Hi, Lavender."

"Hi Gabe," Lavender hugged her stepson. "Are you having fun?"

Gabriel nodded. "I left Saffron inside talking about someone named Mary Ellen Ward...."

"That's the girl Saffy's running against for Head Girl," Hermione nodded.

"I thought you said Saffron already had it," Lavender said.

"She doesn't know that," Hermione replied. "And none of us are to tell her."

"Our lips are sealed," Lavender promised.

"Good," Hermione sat back. "She's going to be thrilled."

"Gabe?" Seamus asked his son. "How about you help me take these bags upstairs?"

"Sure," Gabriel agreed. "Does Lavender's weigh about two hundred pounds like usual?"

"Very funny," Lavender said shaking her head. "Very, very funny..."

"I try," Gabriel grinned at her.

Seamus followed his son back into the house and upstairs. "So how has it been so far, son?"

"I've been having a great time," Gabriel said.

"I'm glad," Seamus said. "You deserve it."

"And Lex is amazing," Gabriel replied. "I love spending all this time with her."

"I remember how that is," Seamus said with a grin. He set the bags down on the floor. "Spending all that time together..."

"We were supposed to go for a walk on the beach tonight," Gabriel said. "But Nick said it's supposed to rain."

Seamus smiled thoughtfully as he looked out the window. "Sometimes though rainy nights can be the best..."

***

He'd been working in his office studio for most of the afternoon and had forgotten his promise to Samantha that they'd go for a walk. He was so hard at work going over some dailies that he hadn't heard her knocking.

She opened the door and snuck up behind him. "You work too hard, you know that?"

He turned and smiled at her. "Like you said, I'm a workaholic."

Samantha looped her arms around his neck. "Well, you don't have to go for that walk with me. It's raining."

"What walk?" Seamus asked.

"That walk you promised to take with me when we woke up this morning," Samantha reminded him.

"I'm sorry," Seamus apologised. "I completely forgot."

"It's okay," she said giving him a kiss. "But you know how you could make it up to me?"

Seamus shut down his projector. "No..."

"I made some vegetable soup," she said. "You could come upstairs and have dinner with me. And then afterwards, you can sit with me on the sofa and we can watch old movies."

"Sounds like my kind of night," Seamus gave her a kiss.

Samantha smiled at him. "So you don't mind having me around then?"

"Of course not," he replied. "I love being around you Sam."

"I should at least try to go home tonight," Samantha said. "I haven't seen my apartment in days."

"So what difference does another day make?" Seamus asked, putting his arms around her.

"You just don't like sleeping alone," Samantha teased.

"I've gotten rather used to you," Seamus nuzzled her neck.

"I've...I've gotten used to you too," Samantha closed her eyes. Ever since they'd met at the club, they'd spent every night together. She'd heard of being swept off your feet but she hadn't really believed it until she'd met him. "Seamus?"

"Yeah?" he answered softly.

"I love you," she whispered. It was the first time she'd ever said those words to him.

Seamus pulled back and looked at her for a long moment.

"I shouldn't have said it so soon," Samantha apologized. "But its how I feel. I just wanted you to know."

"Sam," Seamus brushed her hair back behind her ear. "I'm falling for you too."

Samantha smiled up at him. "Really?"

"I haven't felt like this in a long time," Seamus told her. "You're different than other women, Sam. And I really love that about you."

She felt tears welling up in her eyes as he kissed her.

"I've been meaning to tell you how I felt for awhile now but I didn't want to scare you off," Samantha said.

"Nah," he grinned at her. "I've faced worse monsters than you."

Samantha poked him in the side. "Just for that, I'm going home tonight, mister."

"No way," Seamus shook his head. "I'm not letting you leave here."

"Oh, you're not," Samantha giggled. "How are you going to stop me, Finnigan?"

"I could pin you down," Seamus said loftily.

"I'm not afraid of you," Samantha said playfully swatting him on his chest.

"That's because I'm not the monster," Seamus teased.

"Ooooooooh," Samantha said stepping back. "Okay, then. I'm going and I'm taking my soup with me."

"Not the soup!" Seamus said dramatically.

Samantha made for the door.

"Nuh uh," Seamus caught her around the waist.

"Seamus!"

"You are not going anywhere, Boyd." Seamus informed her.

"Let me go," she said laughing. "Come on!"

"Only if you promise to stay," Seamus was also laughing.

"I'll stay," Samantha said trying to turn around, but he was still holding onto her.

"Permanently," Seamus said resting his chin on her shoulder.

Samantha stared up at him. "Permanently?"

"You practically live here anyway," Seamus pointed out. "And I love having you here and I think you love being here. Move in with me, Sam."

"Okay," she agreed instantly.

Seamus smiled and spun her around. "You know what this means, don't you?"

Samantha laughed. "That I'm going to have to give up my apartment?"

"Well, that," Seamus said picking her up. "But that's not all..."

"What else?" Samantha asked, her arms around his neck

Seamus just grinned as he carried her out of his office and down the hall toward his bedroom.

"The soup is going to get cold," Samantha reminded him.

"We'll heat it back up," Seamus said huskily.

Samantha grinned back at him, laughing as he kicked open the bedroom door. "That was really smooth."

"One of those times when a third arm would come in handy," he said dryly.

"Too bad you don't know magic," Samantha said jokingly.

His smile slipped for a moment. "Right..." he said. One of these days he swore he would tell her everything.

"It's okay though," Samantha said pulling him down on the bed with her. "I love you just the same."

***

"How come you never told Mom about your magic?" Gabriel asked, breaking Seamus from his reverie.

"Hmm?" Seamus asked turning around to look at his son.

"How come you never told Mom that you could do magic?" Gabriel repeated.

"I did," Seamus told him.

"Oh," Gabriel said. "I didn't think you did."

Seamus smiled. "We were eating breakfast one morning when an owl arrived of all things with a letter for me. She thought that was a bit odd and so I sat down with her and told her."

"What did she say?" Gabriel asked.

"She thought I'd been drinking at first, but I explained it to her and she ...she asked me to show her some spells and charms. She took it pretty well, actually," Seamus remembered.

"Better than me?" Gabriel asked sheepishly.

"Yes, well she loved me when I told her," Seamus said. "You were quite pissed at me if I remember correctly when you found out."

"Yeah, a bit," Gabriel said. "At least we worked past it."

"Yes we did," Seamus said smiling at him. "I've been thinking about your mum quite a bit lately. There's something I need to tell you..."

"What's that?" Gabriel asked.

Seamus sat down on the edge of the bed. "I...I saw your mum actually."

"What do you mean?" he asked.

"Do you remember that afternoon when I stopped by to see you and your friend Nico took my car for a test drive?" Seamus asked.

"Vaguely," Gabriel answered.

"She appeared to me just outside your house," Seamus said. "Don't look at me like that, Gabe. It really happened."

"I thought you said you couldn't talk to people who um... died and--" Gabriel began.

"Normally you can't," Seamus said. "But for some reason she came to me.”

"Why didn't she come to me?" Gabriel asked quietly.

"I don't know, Gabe," Seamus said. "Maybe she wanted to say goodbye..."

Gabriel sat down on the edge of the bed and looked away from his father. "Why didn't you ever tell me?"

"I wasn't sure how you'd react," Seamus admitted. "I'm sorry, Gabe."

Gabriel bit his lower lip. "If you see her again... will you tell me right away?"

Seamus nodded. "You have my word."

"I never really got to say goodbye to her," Gabriel said quietly.

"She knew that you loved her," Seamus said.

"I hope so," Gabriel said as a soft knock sounded on the door.

"Hi, Mr. Finnigan," Alexa said opening the door. "Mrs. Finnegan said Gabe was up here..."

"Hello Alexa," Seamus greeted his son's girlfriend.

"Everything okay?" Alexa asked.

"All right," Gabriel stood up.

"Why don't you two go for your walk now?" Seamus suggested.

Gabriel nodded and took his girlfriend's hand. "See you in a bit."

Gabriel was silent and Alexa could tell something was wrong. "Sickle for your thoughts---no wait, I guess it would be penny for your thoughts?"

"Come on," Gabriel tugged at her arm. "I'll tell you outside."

Alexa nodded. They walked downstairs and then out onto the deck. "Spill. What's going on, Gabe?"

Gabriel sighed. "My dad just told me he saw my mom..."

"But your mum is---" Alexa started to say.

"I know," he said. "It was her ghost."

"Oh," Alexa said. "Gabe--"

"Why didn't she come see me?" Gabriel asked.

Alexa shook her head. "I don't know, Gabe."

"But you have magical powers," Gabriel said. "Maybe you can... I don't know... summon her or something?"

"It doesn't work like that," Alexa told him gently. "I wish it did. I'd give anything to make that happen for you."

Gabriel squeezed her hand. "I just wish I could tell her I was sorry for running out before she died."

"You never had the chance to say goodbye," Alexa said softly.

He shook his head wordlessly.

"Saffy was the same way about her grandfather," Alexa remembered. "It was a couple of summers ago and she was here having a good time with RJ, Sean and me. And she was so ...I don't even know how to describe it---I've never seen her like that, Gabe. She was so close to him. And the thing that broke her heart most of all was that she never did get to say goodbye."

"It's not a very nice feeling," he muttered.

"I wish I could have known her," Alexa said softly.

"She'd have liked you," Gabriel said with a small smile.

"That's because I'm very likeable," Alexa said smiling back at him.

"Yes you are," Gabriel replied.

"And just because she hasn't appeared to you yet doesn't mean she can't in the future," Alexa said softly. "I know it doesn't seem fair."

"I'd love to see her again," Gabriel replied. "I want to tell her all about you."

Alexa put her arms around him and hugged him tightly.

"I am so, so glad you're here," Gabriel hugged her back.

"I wouldn't be anywhere else," Alexa said. "I have some good news actually for you. I meant to tell you earlier..."

"What?" Gabriel already felt better.

"Well, Julie's going to help me prepare my applications for college," Alexa told him. "I asked her since she went to a Muggle university and she thinks I have a really good chance of getting in to either USC or UCLA."

Gabriel grinned. "I really hope you go to USC."

"You'll be a junior by the time I go," Alexa pointed out. "Would you want to be seen with a lowly freshman?"

"Haven't we already gone through this?" Gabriel teased her, wrapping his arms around her.

"I'm just making sure you still feel the same way," Alexa said with a grin.

"I will," he replied. "I already know I will."

Alexa leaned and in and kissed him.

Every day Gabriel found himself falling for her harder. He pulled her closer and deepened the kiss, pushing her back onto the bench.

"Mmm," Alexa murmured.

"You are incredible," Gabriel broke away for a moment.

"You are too," Alexa said resting her forehead on his. "You make me happy."

"I'm glad to hear that," Gabriel touched her cheek and kissed her again. "Lexie... I don't know what I'm going to do when summer's over."

"Get back to those huge books and dissecting things," Alexa said smiling at him.

Gabriel smiled. "I meant when it comes to us. I don't even want to think about us being apart."

"I know what you meant," Alexa said resting her head on his shoulder. "But we'll get through it. And before you know it, we'll be back here and then we'll be getting ready for school...together."

"Together," he nodded.

"And I'll get to meet all your friends back home," Alexa said.

"You'll get along great with them," Gabriel assured her. "Especially Nico. He's chomping at the bit to meet you."

Alexa laughed. "With the stories you've told me, I feel like I already know him."

"And he's already complained that I talk too much about you and that he needs to meet you," Gabriel nodded. "Maybe before the summer is over you can come back with me. I'd love to show you around LA."

"I'd love that," Alexa said. "And I'd really like to meet your grandparents too."

Gabriel laughed. "If I don't introduce you to them before I go back to school, I may as well be persona non grata in my house."

"That bad?" Alexa asked.

"I might be exaggerating a little," Gabriel kissed her again.

"GABEY!"

The two of them broke apart to see Emma Weasley running toward them with a bear in her hands and her face painted. Her parents and cousins were not too far behind.

"What do you have there, Emma Weasley?" Gabe asked grinning at her.

"Bear for Gabey!" Emma held it up. "Em won for you!"

Gabriel laughed. "For me?"

Emma nodded. "Em play big game and won."

"Skee-ball," Jon explained. "She was tearing it up."

"She had over 100 tokens," Caroline said.

"Wow," Gabriel said. "I'm very impressed Em!"

"You're way better at that game than me," Alexa said to the little redhead. "I'm rubbish."

"Lexie good too," Emma nodded. "I know."

Alexa smiled. "Thanks, Em."

Gabriel handed the bear back to Emma. "I can't take this, Em. You won it."

"For Gabey," Emma pushed it back at him.

Gabriel couldn't say no to that face. "Okay, but you have to help me name him."

Emma giggled. "It's a girl!"

Gabriel chuckled. "Oh, sorry! What should we name her?"

"Lexie," Emma said coyly.

"I love that name," Gabe said with a wink at his girlfriend.

"And Gabey loves Lexie," Emma replied as the rest of the group finally joined them on the porch.

Alexa blushed.

"But Lexie's going to marry Uncle RJ," Caroline said sitting down on the bench beside Alexa.

"Caroline!" Jon said quickly.

"She is," Caroline said innocently. "Just like in a Disney movie!"

"Caroline, we talked about that, remember?" Allison reminded her daughter.

"How about we get inside?" Jon asked. "Come on, girls."

"Take good care of Lexie," Emma told Gabriel.

"I will," Gabriel promised. "Both of them."

Emma gave him a hug before following her family inside.

"That was so sweet," Alexa picked up the stuffed bear. "She is the cutest little girl in the world."

"She is," Gabriel said. "I can't believe she won me a bear."

"And had you name it Lexie," Alexa laughed.

Gabriel looked at the bear. "She does look like you...cute."

"So you're saying I look like a bear?" Alexa hit him in the arm.

"I'm saying you're as cute as a teddy bear," Gabriel said tickling her.

"I don't know if that’s a compliment or not," Alexa laughed.

"It is," Gabriel reassured her. "Come on, Lexie and Alexa. We better get inside before the rain starts...”

"I still want to sit out here with you later," Alexa said, leaning against him. "Do a little more snogging..."

"I think that's a great idea," Gabriel said holding her close. 'And thank you for being here for me."

"Of course," Alexa wrapped her arms around him. "You're my guy, Gabe."

"That's what I needed to hear," Gabriel whispered.

Alexa kissed him again, laughing as a cool raindrop hit her cheek. "Come on."

"Back to the circus," Gabriel said standing up and offering her his hand.

"Right," Alexa wove their fingers together.

"Everything okay?" Seamus asked when they came back inside.

"Fine," Gabriel nodded and smiled at his father.

"Good," Seamus said. "What do you have there, a bear?"

"Em won it for me," Gabriel showed it to him.

"Em has a bit of a crush," Seamus said with a grin.

Gabriel laughed. "She had me name the bear Lexie."

"And then he told me that I looked like a bear," Alexa said nudging Gabe.

"Very smooth, son." Seamus shook his head. "Have I taught you nothing?"

"I was trying to say she was cute as a bear," Gabriel said. "It didn't quite come out as I intended."

"I had to tease him about it," Alexa slid her arms around him. "Too good to pass up."

"The vote is for pizza tonight," Lavender said joining them. "You lot in?"

"Sure," Gabriel said after looking at his girlfriend. "Sounds good to us."

"I'll go and tell the egomaniac then," Lavender said.

"I heard that," Harry replied. "And just for that, I'm cancelling the sushi."

"Mr. Wonderful," Lavender said doing a little curtsy.

"Nice save," Harry laughed.

Maddie sat down beside her sister-in-law on the sofa. Saffron was just sitting with Puddles and not really saying much.

"I guess I don't need to ask what you're thinking about," Maddie said softly.

Saffron looked over at her sister in law. "You're sort of right," she replied. "Andrew's coming here this weekend so we can talk."

"You two belong together," Maddie said. "I'm glad you're trying to work things out."

"Thanks Maddie," Saffron rubbed Puddles's ears. "So what are you and my dorky brother up to this evening?"

"We're going to watch the triplets while Josh and Lizzy go out for dinner," Maddie told her.

"That's really nice of you," Saffron replied. "If you need any help, let me know."

"There are three of them, we just might," Maddie said as Casey toddled over to them. "Did you know we were talking about you, Miss Casey?"

"Doggy," Casey reached for Puddles.

"He likes it when you scratch behind his ears," Saffron told the toddler. "Like this..."

"Ooh," Casey grinned. "Love doggy!"

Saffron grinned back at her. "I think Puddles loves you too, Case."

Casey beamed at her. "Saf-fy!"

Saffron giggled. "That's right. You are such a smart girl!"

Maddie scooped up her niece. "Saffy, did you know Casey's very ticklish right here?"

"I didn't," Saffron said as Maddie tickled Casey's side causing the little girl to squeal.

"Mad!" Casey exclaimed.

"Casey's ticklish!" Maddie grinned at her niece. "What if we get Aidan and Noah and tickle them too?"

"Get!" Casey said pointing toward her brothers and Ethan who were playing with some toys.

"Leave us boys alone," Ethan said over his shoulder. "Right, guys?"

"Play!" Noah nodded, pointing to the toy cars.

"What if I get Ethan?" Maddie whispered in Casey's ear.

Casey giggled. "Get him!"

Maddie grinned and launched herself at Ethan toppling him over.

"Ethan go boom!" Noah exclaimed clapping his hands.

"Mads!" Ethan exclaimed as the kids all shrieked with laughter. "What are you doing?"

"Knocking you over," Maddie said innocently. "Come on guys, help me get him!"

"Whoa---what?" Ethan asked.

"Get Ethan!" Saffron pointed. "Get him you guys!"

"Saf!" Ethan protested. "Mmmph!"

Maddie got out of the way just in time as the triplets moved in on him.

"Tickle!" Aidan said happily.

Saffron grinned. She knew how much her brother hated being tickled. "Get him!"

"Come on!" Ethan was laughing.

"Get him right here," Maddie reached for her husband.

"Argh!" Casey shouted before doing as Maddie suggested. "Ickle Tickle!"

Saffron nearly fell over as her brother's face turned purple. "I need a camera!" she gasped.

"You can use the one on my phone," Seamus said handing her his mobile.

"Thanks," Saffron snapped a few shots.

"Saffy I'll kill you," Ethan struggled to breathe he was laughing so hard.

"Be nice!" Saffron said wagging her finger at him. "You're setting an example."

"What about we tickle Aunt Maddie over there!" Ethan managed to grab one of the triplets.

"No Mad!" Noah exclaimed. "No Mad!"

"That's right," Maddie replied with a grin. "They wouldn't get their favourite Aunt Mad like that!"

"No one wants to help me?" Ethan asked incredulously.

The triplets shook their heads and Casey plopped down in Maddie's lap. "Love Mad."

"That's my girl," Maddie kissed the top of Casey's red head.

"Unbelievable," Ethan said shaking his head. "Even now no one can say no to her."

Saffron laughed. "Including you."

"Thanks, brat," Ethan said.

"See, Puddles?" Saffron said to her puppy. "Never a dull moment around here."

Puddles barked, making Casey laugh.

"Pizzas are ordered," Harry announced. "And we all might get a piece since Ronald isn't here."

"I'm eating in his place," Maddie told her father in law with a grin.

"I forgot about that," Harry said with a groan.

"I promise to go easy on you," Maddie replied.

"Em eat too!" Emma exclaimed from the sofa. "For Gampa!"

"Oh no!" Harry exclaimed in mock horror. "I didn't order enough pizza for Emma!"

Emma frowned. "No pizza?"

"I'm sure we'll have at least one piece left," Harry picked her up.

"Promise?" Emma asked her lower lip trembling.

Harry kissed her cheek. "I'm just teasing Em. I got you your own little pepperoni and extra cheese pizza."

"Kay," Emma said brightening a little.

"And..." Harry whispered in her ear. "We have some chocolate cake in the icebox."

Emma's eyes grew large. "Really?" she whispered back. "Em favouritest!"

"But it's our secret," Harry said. "Okay?"

Emma nodded. "Kay."

"What are you two whispering about?" Allison asked, carrying Adam as he sucked happily on a bottle.

"Nothing, Mummy," Emma said solemnly.

Harry winked at her before setting her down. "We're just talking about dinner."

"That's her favourite subject," Allison said. "How are you doing, Uncle Harry?"

"I'm doing fine," Harry smiled. "Looks like Adam's enjoying his first summer here."

"All three of them love it here," Allison said smiling down at her son. "Just like my sisters and I did. There are so many good memories in this house."

Harry nodded. "And we keep making more every year."

"Mummy!" Caroline's voice rang out from upstairs.

"Um, could you hold him for me while I go check on her?" Allison asked him.

"Sure," Harry took the little boy in his arms.

Allison handed him the bottle. "He's nearly finished."

"Want me to burp him for you?" Harry offered. "It's been awhile but I think I remember how to do it."

"That'd be great," Allison said before heading upstairs to check on her oldest.

"Em can help with Adam," Emma said, sitting down next to Harry on the sofa.

"Thanks, Em," Harry said.

"He loves bottles," Emma told him.

"He's almost cleaned this one out," Harry said.

"Mummy burps him with this," Emma reached for a cloth sitting on the arm of the sofa.

"Can you put it on my shoulder, Em?" Harry asked her.

"Kay," Emma said, doing just that.

"Thanks," Harry said handing her the empty bottle. "Come here, little guy."

"That's just like Daddy!" Emma giggled as Harry rested Adam on his shoulder and began patting his back.

Adam then let out a rather loud burp.

Emma clapped her hands. "All done!"

"So, I take it I still have it?" Harry asked with a grin.

Emma nodded. "Good job."

Hermione had been watching them from across the room and she went over to join them. "He's getting so big."

"Big like Em," Emma nodded.

"Things like this bring back memories," Harry said looking down at Adam who was cooing up at him.

"Yes it does," Hermione said with a grin.

"Remember with Jules, I was so afraid I'd mess up and drop her or do something wrong," Harry said to his wife.

"You did fine," Hermione said fondly. "All three times."

"They did turn out pretty well, didn't they?" Harry said.

"Quite so," Hermione glanced over at her middle and youngest children, who were laughing together about something.

"We've been lucky considering,'' Harry said thoughtfully. "Who we are...the press..."

"Yeah," Hermione answered. "That's why I like it here so much. We have some privacy."

Emma had fallen asleep, her head falling against Harry's arm. Adam, too, seemed to be drifting off.

"Normalcy," Harry said with a grin. "Or as normal as we can possibly get."

"Normal's overrated," Hermione smiled at the sleeping three year old. "Should we take her upstairs?"

Harry shook his head. "Pizza will be here soon. She'd hate to miss it."

"Of course," Hermione gently lifted Emma into her lap without waking her up.

"You doing okay, love?" Harry asked softly.

Hermione nodded. "Just enjoying all the family here."

"Did you ring Elinore to see how she was doing?" Harry asked.

"She's a bit down," Hermione said softly. "She really misses Dad. I can't believe it's been almost two years."

"I know," Harry said. "But maybe you could see if she wants to come down here for a few days."

"I think she'd like that," Hermione nodded. "I'll ring her in the morning and ask."

"We'd love to have her," Harry said.

"Thank you," Hermione leaned in and kissed him.

"What was that for?" Harry asked.

"Because I love you," Hermione smiled at him. "And I don't need a reason to kiss my husband."

"I love you too," Harry said grinning at her.

179. Chapter 179

Authors’ note: This is the latest chapter. It’s shorter than the last one and if you’re not a fan of the Hannah storyline, you might not like this chapter, but we do hope that you read it because something does happen. We hope that you enjoy it!

Frankie Barron was incredibly nervous. She was more nervous than she had been during the World Cup rooting for her team to win. She was more nervous than she had been when she'd been sitting in the room with David Wright making him believe it was his daughter he was speaking to. She was more nervous than she had been while trying to console Hannah after a nightmare, hoping her little daughter would forget about what had happened.

And it was all due to a tiny stick on the bathroom counter that was slowly turning blue.

Will knocked on the door and didn't wait for an answer before barging inside. "Breakfast is on the table, Frankie. If we don't get downstairs, there's not going to be anything left."

"Will," Frankie's voice shook as she pointed to the stick.

"Come on, Frankie," Will said tugging at her arm and ignoring what she was pointing at. "I don't want to eat cold cereal...."

"WILL!" Frankie shook him off. "Look at the bloody stick!"

Will finally turned and looked at the stick on the counter. 'Is that---?"

Frankie nodded, not trusting her voice.

Will stepped forward and picked it up. "It's blue---does that mean...?"

"I'm pregnant," Frankie whispered.

Will smiled. "Frankie, this is fantastic!"

Frankie was still a bit too stunned to react as Will swept her up into his arms. "I can’t' believe it," she managed.

"You can't be scared," Will said holding her tightly. "You already know you're a great mum."

"I am a little nervous," she admitted. "This is such a big thing Will."

"So was taking in Hannah," Will reminded her.

Frankie nodded. "Will, we're going to have a baby..." she suddenly laughed. "Oh Merlin..."

Will gave her a kiss. "This is great news, Frankie. I love you so much!"

"I love you too," Frankie buried her face in his shoulder.

He held her for a long time, neither of them speaking.

"I'm feeling so many things right now," Frankie said when they pulled apart.

"Me too," Will admitted.

"I'm really excited too," Frankie said softly. "I mean... I'm shocked. I didn't think it would happen this soon."

"We weren't trying," Will said nodding. "But we did talk about this happening one day, Frankie."

She nodded too and looked at him. "How are we going to tell Hannah?"

"Together," Will said. "And I'm sure she's going to be happy to have a little brother or sister. You see how great she gets along with her cousins."

"I hope so," Frankie hugged him again. "Let's keep this quiet until we tell her, okay?"

"Deal," Will said patting her back. He gave her one last kiss before the two of them headed out of the room and downstairs. Hannah was sitting at the kids table with Emma, Caroline and Katie. The adults were milling around the bigger table. Ashley stood off to the side looking out the window. It was still raining.

Frankie looked over at Will. "Should we do it now?" she whispered.

"The sooner the better," Will whispered back.

"Hannah?" Frankie called out to her. "Can you come into the sitting room with me and your daddy, please?"

Hannah looked worried as she pushed her chair back. "Did I do something bad?"

Will shook his head. "No, we just wanted to have a talk with our favourite girl."

Hannah smiled in relief. "I wish it wasn't raining," she said. "I really wanted to go back to the beach."

"We still have lots of time for that," Frankie said sitting down on the sofa. "Come and sit with me."

"Okay," Hannah willingly did so.

"We have some really good news," Will said kneeling down in front of his wife and daughter. "Your mummy and I found out some really good news today."

"You did?" Hannah asked.

Frankie nodded. "It's something scary, exciting and wonderful all at the same time. And if it hadn't been for you, I'd be freaking out right now..."

Hannah looked quizzically at her. "I don't understand..."

Will took his daughter's hand. "Hannah, pretty soon you're going to be a big sister."

Hannah stared at him. "I am?"

"That's right sweetheart," Frankie replied. "I just found out a few minutes ago that I'm pregnant."

"Like Emma's mummy was with Adam?" Hannah asked.

"Just like that," Will said pulling Hannah into a hug. "Isn't this great?"

Hannah didn't know what to say. "I guess so..." she replied softly.

Frankie smiled. "I can't believe I'm going to be a mother..."

Hannah felt those words as a kick in her stomach. Neither one of her parents seemed to notice as she pulled away and sat in the corner of the sofa.

What would happen to her now? Would Will and Frankie still love her as much even though they were going to have their own baby now?

"We should call our parents," Will said to Frankie. "Tell them the good news..."

Frankie nodded. "And I want to tell Allie and Maddie separately while we're here."

Will smiled. "I'll just go and get the phone..."

"I think I might make a visit to the loo," Frankie said feeling a little queasy. "We'll be right back, Hannah."

Hannah nodded wordlessly. She sat on the edge of the sofa wishing that her mother was here.

She pulled a blanket off the back of the sofa and curled up in it. Her real father had been right-- it was only a matter of time before they stopped loving her.

She'd been having such a great time and now it was all coming to an end. They'd probably send her back to the orphanage. Mr. Ron and Luna probably wouldn't want to take her back because they already had more kids in her place.

Hannah didn't want to stick around down here and hear Will and Frankie tell everyone she was going to be sent back. She ran upstairs and dove under the blankets on her bed, wishing she could hide there forever.

Meanwhile, Frankie had cornered her sister and best friend and taken them into the front hall.

"What's going on, Frankie?" Maddie asked. "You look a little pale..."

Frankie took a deep breath. "I just found out I'm pregnant," she said in a rush.

Allison cupped her hand over her mouth. "Frankie!" she exclaimed in a muffled voice. "That's fantastic!"

"I'm really nervous," Frankie confessed as Allison threw her arms around her. "But I'm excited too."

"I'm so happy for you," Maddie said grinning at her. "How's Will taking the news?"

"He's completely ecstatic," Frankie laughed.

"And Hannah?" Allison asked.

"She's happy too, of course," Frankie said. She looked at Allison. "I'm going to need lots of advice. You promise to help me, right?"

"Of course I'll help you," Allison replied. "Every step of the way, Frankie."

"Thanks, Allie," Frankie said. "I was just about to call mum and dad to let them know. And we're going to call Will's parents and Chiaki..."

"Everyone's going to be so happy for you," Maddie said. "This is so, so exciting Frankie!"

"Maybe you'll have twins like Chiaki," Allison teased.

"Oh Merlin," Frankie shook her head. "One will be enough for me."

Unfortunately, Hannah had chosen that moment to peek outside and she heard just the tail end of what Frankie had said.

Maddie laughed. "As opposed to the six I want?"

"Six?" Frankie asked with a grimace. "Six is way too much. One is more than enough for me. I don't need any more."

Allison didn't notice as Hannah stifled a little sob and ran back upstairs. "Well you'll have two... your newborn and your beautiful little four year old."

"That's what I'm happiest about," Frankie admitted. "Giving Hannah a little brother or sister."

"She'll do a great job of being a big sister," Maddie replied.

"She will," Frankie said. "Just like you were to me, Allie. And how you are to RJ, Maddie."

"I'm so happy for you," Allison hugged her sister again.

"Thanks," Frankie said. "I'll catch up with you two later. I'm going to go and find Will."

"You have to tell me how loudly Mum screams," Allison called after her.

"You'll probably hear her," Frankie said shaking her head as she headed back to her bedroom.

"We just found out!" Will was exclaiming into the phone. "Frankie just took the test about a half hour ago."

"Will!" Frankie chastised him. "I thought we were going to tell them together!"

"I'm sorry baby I couldn't wait," Will said sheepishly.

Frankie took the phone from him. "Abigail?"

"Frankie, darling I'm so happy for you," Abbie was already sobbing.

Frankie laughed. "You get another grandchild."

"You and Will are going to be wonderful parents," Abbie told her. "You already are to Hannah."

"Speaking of that," Theodore said. "Where's my granddaughter? I'd like to congratulate her on being a big sister."

"She's around here somewhere," Frankie replied. "Hannah!" she called.

Hannah didn't come, but Frankie figured she was off playing with her cousins.

"We can tell her later," Ted told her. "She's probably having fun and breaking the news to everyone else for you."

"Probably," Frankie said. "Look, we'll stop by and visit when we get back from Brighton."

"I can't wait," Abbie said, sobbing again.

Frankie clicked off the phone. "I think she was happy..."

Will laughed and kissed his wife. "As happy as I am."

"I still need to visit the doctor's," Frankie reminded him. "To see how far along I am and make sure everything's okay..."

"Of course," Will nodded. "I'm sure we can find someone here in Brighton, or we can pop back to London for the day."

"Let's call my parents," Frankie said reaching for the phone again. "Will---can you go and get Hannah? I'm sure Mum and Dad will want to talk to her."

"I'll go find her," Will replied.

Hannah was in her bedroom packing up her belongings. She had no idea where she was going to go or what she was going to do but she knew she couldn't stay here.

She felt tears sting her eyes again as she looked at the purple suitcase. She remembered how happy she had been when Frankie had taken her to pick it out.

"Hannah?" Will's voice called out to her. She heard him knock gently on the door.

Hannah hurriedly stuffed the suitcase under her bed and climbed back under the covers. Hopefully he would think she'd fallen asleep.

Will opened the door. "Hannah?"

Hannah closed her eyes, pulling the blankets tight around her.

"Are you asleep, baby?" Will asked gently.

She didn't answer, only breathed in and out as steadily as she could.

Will smiled down at her before leaving the room.

As soon as Hannah heard the door shut she shoved back the blankets and dragged her suitcase out again.

She would never get to play with Emma and her friends again. She'd never go back to her preschool. The family she'd come to love would no longer want her. It wasn't fair, she thought sadly.

"You're lucky they kept you as long as they did," a cold, familiar voice said from behind her.

"Daddy," Hannah whispered.

"I told you they wouldn't always love you," that same voice taunted. "That they'd get sick of you."

"T-they did love me," Hannah said in a small voice.

"No they didn't," the voice laughed horribly. "You'd better get out of here before they kick you out like I always wanted to do."

Hannah's lower lip trembled as she closed her suitcase. She grabbed her teddy bear in one hand and then lugged her suitcase down off the bed. She made sure no one was in the hall before she tiptoed out of her room.

She dragged her bag down as quietly as she could before fumbling with the front door lock.

She looked over her shoulder. She knew Frankie nor Will could hear her, but she wanted to say something. "Goodbye, Frankie."

And without anyone witnessing her at all, she shut the door behind her.

A few minutes later, a happy Frankie and Will came downstairs.

"I hope there's still some food left," Frankie was saying. "I'm starving."

"Now that you're eating for two," Will couldn't contain himself and swung her around again.

Frankie giggled. "Will!"

He grinned and kissed her again.

"Frack?" Emma called out. "Where's Han?"

"She's sleeping, Em." Will told her.

"Em go get Hannah," Emma said heading off toward the stairs.

"I don't think so, little mermaid," Will picked her up. "If Hannah's sleepy, let her kip all right?"

Emma squirmed. "But Em wants to play with Han."

"You can play later, sweetheart." Frankie said. "Right now we have something we want to tell everyone."

"Kay," Emma said.

Will carried Emma into the kitchen and set her down at the table. He hoped Allison and Maddie hadn't said anything just yet.

"We saved you some pancakes," Maddie told them when they came into the kitchen.

"Thanks," Frankie grinned at her. "Did you hear my mum scream?"

"I think they heard her in the States," Maddie giggled. "Allie and I haven't said anything."

"Thanks," Frankie squeezed her hand.

Will stood up and held up his hand. "If we could have everyone's attention...there's something we'd like to tell you."

Everyone stopped eating and looked over at them.

"You've gone broke because Frankie spent all your money?" Ethan deadpanned, causing Maddie to smack his shoulder.

"No," Frankie said rolling her eyes at him. "The thing is...Will and I...we're going to have a baby!"

"You're pregnant?" Saffron asked in delight. "Really? Congratulations!"

"Thanks, Saffy," Frankie said beaming at her.

"I'll baby sit," Saffron gave her a hug. "Anytime."

"Thanks," Frankie said feeling tears in her eyes. "I know you all can't believe it. I can hardly believe it myself."

"I think it's wonderful," Hermione said warmly, giving the young woman a hug.

"Thanks, Aunt Hermione," Frankie said softly.

"Does Hannah know?" Caroline asked.

"She sure does Princess," Will nodded.

"She's upstairs in her room sleeping," Frankie said.

"No she's not," Lizzy said. "I just put Casey down in there and Hannah wasn't in there."

"What?" Frankie looked at her husband. "Will?"

"I'll go and see if she's in the loo," Will said. "Be right back."

"She's probably just woken up," Maddie assured her friend.

"I don't blame her for sleeping," Saffron said with a yawn. "Weather like this always makes me sleepy."

Alexa nodded. "Same here. I was thinking I'd conk out for awhile on the sofa."

"That sounds like a nice idea actually," Frankie said.

A few minutes later, Will came back downstairs with a stricken look on his face.

"Frankie?"

She looked up at her husband and instantly began to panic. "She wasn't there?"

Will shook his head. "Her suitcase and clothes are gone too."

Frankie stared at him in disbelief. "You mean she ran away?" she shoved back her chair.

"It's pouring outside," Maddie said standing up as well.

"I've got to go find her," Frankie made for the door.

Will shook his head. "You stay here. I'll go."

"No way," Frankie said.

"It's raining," Maddie said putting an arm around her. "You don't want to go out there in your condition."

"I'm pregnant, not sick." Frankie pulled away. "And my daughter is out there."

"We'll all help look for her," Harry told his goddaughter.

"Thank you," Frankie pulled her trainers on and grabbed a jumper from the closet.

"We'll check the neighbourhood houses," Saffron said. "Come on, Gabe. Lexie."

"Right," Gabriel nodded. The three teenagers headed out the door with umbrellas.

Frankie's mind was already in overload thinking of every worst case scenario. Hannah was only four years old.

"Come on," Will took her arm. "We'll start off just down the beach."

Frankie nodded. "She has to be okay."

"Take your mobile," Maddie said. "We'll ring you if she shows up here or if we find her."

Frankie and Will set out down the beach sharing an umbrella. "We're horrible parents."

"We should have seen this coming," Frankie shook her head. "I thought she was excited- but we should have waited and heard her out. We should have paid more attention to her reaction."

"We'll find her, Frankie," Will reassured her. "She couldn't have gone far."

"I hope not," Frankie squeezed his hand.

The pier was a little further down the beach and Frankie spotted a small figure in a purple jacket. "Will? Is that---?"

Will broke away and began to run. "Hannah!"

The little girl didn't hear him and she settled down just underneath the pier. Her skin and clothes were soaked from the rain and she felt cold and sleepy.

Frankie also ran forward, trying not to stumble in the uneven sand. "Hannah!" she called for her daughter.

Hannah sank down onto the sand and pulled her knees to her chest, trying to get warm.

"Hannah!" Will called out again as he got closer.

Hannah tensed up as she heard someone calling her name. They couldn't possibly have found her!

"Sweetheart," Will said from behind her. "You had us so worried!"

Hannah didn't turn around, only buried her face in her knees.

Frankie caught up to them. "Hannah?"

"G-go a-away," Hannah said, her teeth chattering.

"Hannah Emily," Will scooped her up. "What on earth are you doing? What were you thinking by running off like this?"

"Let me go!" Hannah exclaimed trying to get down.

"Hannah," Frankie tried to calm her down. "Sweetheart, you're going to get sick out here."

"You don't care about me anymore," Hannah said tears streaming down her face.

"What?" Frankie asked, holding the umbrella over them. "Hannah how could you say that? Your father and I love you very much."

"Not anymore," Hannah said sadly.

"We can talk about this back at the house," Will said tightening his grip on Hannah. "Come on."

"I don't want to go back with you," Hannah tried to push away as Frankie picked up her suitcase.

"Why not?" Will asked her. "You belong with us, Hannah."

Hannah only shook her head and wouldn't look at either of them.

They trudged back up the beach toward the house in relative silence. Frankie followed close behind and made a quick call to Maddie to let her know they'd found Hannah.

"Let's get you warmed up," Will said to his daughter as they arrived back at the house.

"NO!" Hannah exclaimed. "Let me go!"

"Hannah stop," Will told her firmly. "You're not going anywhere!"

"You don't want me anymore and I don't want to go back to the orphanage!" Hannah retorted.

"Why would you say we don't want you anymore?" Frankie asked in a gentler tone as she twisted her hair to wring it out.

"Y-you said you were finally going to be a m-mother," Hannah said in a small voice. "Because of the baby..."

"I became a mother the day you became our daughter," Frankie sat down next to Hannah and handed her a towel.

"But you don't need me anymore," Hannah said looking at Frankie's still flat stomach.

"Of course we need you," Will wrapped a blanket around Hannah's thin, shivering body. "You're our best girl, Hannah."

A tear fell down Hannah's cheek. "But I heard Mum--Frankie---say that one was enough. One was all she needed."

Frankie was at a loss for words for a moment until she recalled her words to Allison and Maddie in the hall. "Sweetheart... I meant one baby at a time. Not one child."

Hannah looked down at her lap.

"Sweetheart, we adopted you. You are our daughter," Will said gently. "And that's not going to change. Never."

Hannah still didn't look up. "But you'll have a real baby of your own. You don't need me."

"Hannah Emily," Frankie said. "Please look at me."

Hannah's eyes were brimming with tears as she raised them up.

"Your father and I love you more than anything in this world," Frankie said softly. "I don't care if I have one baby or two or three...that's not going to change how I feel about you. You are our daughter."

"Really?" Hannah asked in a tiny voice.

"Absolutely," Frankie said opening her arms. "Come here."

Even though she was still sopping wet, Hannah threw herself into Frankie's arms and sobbed.

"Will, why don't you go and get Hannah's pyjamas from upstairs and that blanket on our bed?" Frankie asked him.

"Sure," Will replied, getting to his feet and rushing upstairs with Hannah's suitcase.

"It's going to be okay, sweetheart," Frankie said holding Hannah. "I promise."

"I didn't think you loved me anymore when you said you only wanted one baby," Hannah's face was still buried in Frankie's shoulder.

"Can I tell you something, Hannah?" Frankie asked.

Hannah nodded mutely.

"I never wanted to be a mother," Frankie told her. "I didn't think I had it in me, to tell you the truth. A few months back, Will and I thought we might be pregnant, but it turned out we weren't. I was relieved because I didn't think I was ready for such a big step. He was sad because he really wanted a family."

"What changed your mind?" Hannah asked.

"I came over to Luna's house to help her with decorating ideas and met this sweet little girl who changed everything," Frankie replied.

"Me?" Hannah whispered.

Frankie nodded. "All I wanted to do was protect you and make you feel safe."

"I'm sorry," Hannah cast her eyes down.

"It's all right now," Frankie said. "But you cannot run away like that Hannah."

Will came back into the room with the blanket and a fresh pair of pyjamas for Hannah.

"Let's get you changed," Frankie took them. "You can't stay in those wet clothes."

"You either, Frankie," Will said.

"I'm fine," Frankie told him. "I'm really not that wet."

Hannah slid out of her shoes and with Frankie's help changed out of her wet clothes into the dry pyjamas. Frankie cast a drying spell on her daughter's hair with her wand.

Will came back into the room when they were done. "Hannah... we know you were upset today, but it's not an excuse for running away like that. You had everyone worried and someone could have hurt you out there."

Hannah nodded. "I'm sorry, Daddy."

"I know you are baby," Will sat down. "But we're going to have to give you a time out for this."

"But not right now," Frankie said lying back on the couch, holding Hannah to her. "Tomorrow, no beach."

"Okay," Hannah clung to Frankie.

Will draped the blanket over the two of them.

"If anything had happened to you, I don't know what I would have done," Frankie said kissing the top of Hannah's head.

"I really am sorry... Mummy," Hannah still held onto her. "I love you and Daddy so much. I didn't want you to tell me to leave."

"We'd never tell you to leave," Will said. "We love you too much."

Hannah nodded. "Can I sleep here with you Mummy?"

"Of course," Frankie replied. "Do you want me to sing to you?"

Hannah nodded and closed her eyes.

Frankie started to softly sing a lullaby to her daughter. She met Will's gaze.

He pulled down a pillow from the other sofa and made himself comfortable next to his wife and daughter. He wasn't about to go anywhere.

"I love you," Frankie whispered to Hannah. "My sweet, sweet girl."

Hannah was already asleep and breathing in and out steadily.

"What a morning..." Will whispered to his wife. "Not exactly how I expected it to go..."

Frankie nodded. "I never wanted her to feel like this, Will. I thought she'd be happy."

"I thought so too," Will replied.

"She's never, ever going to feel second best," Frankie vowed. "She's never going to feel like we don't love her as much as the baby."

Will shook his head. "Absolutely not."

"I was so frightened that something terrible had happened to her," Frankie said.

"Me too," Will took her hand. "Thank Merlin we found her before she was able to get too far."

"Thankfully," Frankie said closing her eyes.

"You sleep, baby." Will leaned in and kissed her forehead.

"I love you, Daddy," Hannah whispered in her sleep.

Will smiled and brushed Hannah's hair off her forehead. "Love you too."

It wasn't long before Will, too, fell asleep.

"Crisis averted," Maddie told her husband after peeking in on them.

Ethan nodded. "Poor Hannah."

Maddie sighed. "I'm glad they found her before it was too late. I think they have a lot of talking to do when they all wake up."

"That they will," Ethan agreed.

"I can't believe she's pregnant," Maddie sat down at the table. "Frankie's going to have a baby."

"I think hell has just frozen over," Ethan said trying to make light of the situation.

Maddie sort of smiled. "I'm happy for her..." she said. "I guess I'm a bit jealous too."

"You want to have a baby now?" Ethan asked her. "Mads, I thought we'd... "

"I know," she said quickly. "I know we both agreed to wait but I just... I don't know Ethan..."

"You want to be a mum," Ethan said.

"I really do," she confessed.

Ethan looked at his wife. "We could start trying, if that's what you really want."

"Only if it's what you want too," Maddie reached for his hands. "It's a team effort here."

"I want a family with you," Ethan said.

"But do you want it now?" she pursued.

"If you do," Ethan said reaching for her hand.

"There's no guarantees that it would happen right away," Maddie moved closer to him. "But if we start trying--"

"I love trying," Ethan said with a grin.

Maddie laughed. "I had a feeling you'd say that."

"You know me too well," Ethan said giving her a kiss. "So...when do you want to get started?"

Maddie wrapped her arms around his neck. "You know... I did bring that lacy pink thing you like so much... the one... when I wear it... looks like--"

"You didn't tell me that you'd brought that," Ethan said suddenly feeling very hot.

"Surprise..." she murmured huskily. "Shall I go put it on and wait for you?"

"Absolutely," Ethan said without hesitation.

"Well then," Maddie leaned in and kissed him. "I'll see you in about three minutes. Don't be late."

"Not a chance," Ethan said happily.

She giggled and left the kitchen, running up the stairs two steps at a time.

Ethan smiled. He loved that pink slip thing Maddie had. He couldn't wait to take it off of her.

"Ethan?"

He turned and saw his mother. "Mum?"

"What are you up to?" Hermione asked.

"Um..." Ethan turned red. He certainly didn't want to tell his mother he was about to go have sex.

"Sit down," Hermione said. "I'll make us a nice cup of tea."

"Er..." Ethan bit his lower lip and looked towards the stairs. "I guess..."

"It's been ages since you and I had a proper chat, Hermione said putting the kettle on.

A proper chat... Ethan sat down heavily in the chair. Sometimes a proper chat with his mother could take hours.

180. 180

Before we start the chapter, we want you all to know that the H/Hr storyline we mentioned months ago STILL has not been written yet. So please, please do not ask about it anymore. It is a Potter centric storyline, and it’s HUGE, but it has not been started yet. We are working towards it. And we will let you know when we get to it.

Also, please realise that this is more than just a story/fanfiction. This has literally become a soap opera saga type of thing. It’s going to ‘drag’ it’s going to have lots of filler, and it’s going to have cliffhangers. We could skip around, but then the story would end a hell of a lot quicker and many of you don’t seem to want that either. We hope you guys will stick with us and enjoy everything we have coming your way!

"Your father tells me all the time how well you're doing," Hermione said reaching into the cabinet for some biscuits.

Ethan nodded. "I love being an Auror."

Hermione turned back around and looked at her son. "Are you okay? You're fidgeting..."

"I'm fine..." Ethan couldn't stop thinking of his wife waiting for him upstairs in that little pink thing.

"Well, you are in luck," Hermione said setting a plate of biscuits before him. "They have those lemon biscuits you like so much. I remember when you were a little boy you couldn't say the word 'lemon' and you kept calling it 'lemmies'. It was the cutest thing ever!"

Ethan coughed. "Great..."

Hermione poured them both a cup of tea before joining him at the table.

"Where's Dad?" Ethan asked.

"He took Katie and Ashley into town for a movie,'" Hermione said. "So, it's just you and me."

Ethan felt bad for his thoughts. He loved his mother, but right now wanted nothing more than to be upstairs with his wife.

"Isn't this nice?" Hermione asked sitting down across from him. "We never get to chat, just the two of us. I've missed it."

"Me too," Ethan said. "Maybe you can come down and have lunch again like that one time. Or I'll come up and see you."

"I'd love that," Hermione said smiling at him. "And I have great news. Your grandmother is going to spend a few days here."

"Hey, great." Ethan perked up a bit. "I've missed seeing her. When's she coming?"

"Tomorrow," Hermione replied. "She's been a little lonely and I thought being around her family would be good for her."

"Cool," Ethan nodded, draining his tea. Merlin, he hoped Maddie wouldn't be angry at him for making her wait.

"And you know how much she loves you three," Hermione continued.

"We'll make sure we stick around and spend loads of time with her," Ethan glanced at the clock over the sink. It had been fifteen minutes since Maddie had gone upstairs.

"And your sister is getting so worked up over Andrew's visit this weekend," Hermione said. "Young love..."

"They'll work it out," Ethan said absently.

"I certainly hope so," Hermione said. "So...what's new with you, Ethan James?"

Ethan shook his head, not sure if he wanted to disclose the fact that he and Maddie were going to try and start a family. "Just enjoying the holiday."

"It's always great when we can all get away like this and just be with each other," Hermione said thoughtfully. "Family really is what it's all about."

"Right..." Ethan shifted in his chair as he again thought of Maddie in the lacy pink negligee.

Hermione began talking with him about some law she was thinking about passing and while he normally would have been happy to listen to her, his heart really wasn't into it.

"...and I think we just have to really work at it and we'll get it passed through," Hermione was saying.

Ethan nodded, his thoughts elsewhere. "I'm sure you'll work it out."

Maddie, who had gotten tired of waiting, came downstairs clad in her robe. She heard voices in the kitchen and she smiled knowingly at Ethan.

"Hello, Maddie," Hermione said warmly. "Sit down. I'll get you a cup of tea."

"Thanks," Maddie sat down next to her husband.

"I'm so sorry," Ethan whispered.

"It's okay," she said patting his hand.

Hermione set a cup of tea in front of her daughter in law. "There you go love."

"Thanks, Hermione," Maddie said. "It's great that Frankie and Will found Hannah, isn't it?"

"Quite so," Hermione nodded. "I was worried about her."

"We all were," Ethan said. "But she's safe and sound now. And Frankie's pregnant..."

"I think that's wonderful," Hermione nodded.

"She's such a great mum," Maddie said softly. "I know she didn't think she would be, but she really is."

"They'll do just fine," Hermione nodded.

"I rang my mum earlier to see how she and dad were doing," Maddie said. "They miss being here, but said they might try and bring the kids up for a day trip."

"That will be fun," Hermione nodded. "And interesting."

Maddie smiled. "Daddy's so good with them."

Ethan nodded and turned to look at his wife. He noticed the spaghetti strap of the pink lingerie on her shoulder and swallowed hard.

"How are things at work for you, Maddie?" Hermione asked conversationally.

"I haven't had a vision in ages," Maddie replied. "So I haven't spent so much time at the Ministry as I used to."

"Oh?" Hermione asked.

"I hope I haven't lost my gift," Maddie said softly.

"Is it normal to go this long without visions?" Hermione asked.

"Smythe told me sometimes people won't have one for years," she replied. "I hope that's not me. I'm able to help people this way."

"You hadn't mentioned that to me," Ethan said.

"You haven't been home much lately," Maddie replied. "I just haven't really thought about it is all."

"I'm sure you haven't lost your gift," Hermione reassured her. "I'm sure that your grandmother had lapses too."

"I'm sure that's all it is," Ethan squeezed his wife's hand.

"I hope so," Maddie said leaning against him.

Hermione got up to pour herself another cup of tea and Ethan looked at his wife. "I really, really want to take you upstairs right now..." he whispered.

"Later," Maddie promised.

Ethan didn't want to wait for later as her robe slipped off one shoulder.

Salvation seemed to come for them in the form of Ethan's baby sister. The teenager came into the kitchen and sank down into one of the chairs. "Mum can I have some tea, too?"

"Sure sweetheart," Hermione said. "What's up?"

"Gabe and Lexie started snogging and I thought I'd hang out with you if that's okay," Saffron said.

"Mads and I are going upstairs," Ethan said, taking her hand. "You two have fun."

"Where's the fire?" Saffron called after them as Ethan practically yanked Maddie up by the arm and pulled her out of the kitchen. Comprehension dawned on her. "Ew, gross. Mum, I think they're going to go shag."

Hermione laughed. "We won't think about that."

Saffron shuddered and poured some honey into her cup of tea. "Disgusting."

"You'll be the same way when you're married," Hermione told her youngest.

Upstairs, Ethan barely closed and locked the door behind them before Maddie nearly pounced on top of him.

"I thought I was going to lose it," Ethan said in between kisses.

"I was wondering what was keeping you down there," Maddie pulled up on his shirt.

"She cornered me," Ethan said pulling away so he could take it off.

"Did you tell her about us trying to have a baby?" Maddie asked, untying her robe.

Ethan shook his head and looked admiringly on as her robe dropped to the floor. "Whoa..."

Maddie smiled at him. "Would you like to take it off?"

"Oh yes," Ethan said, his eyes darkening.

She beckoned to him with her index finger. "You are entirely too far away right now."

"Let's see what I can do about that," Ethan said coming closer. He pulled one of the straps of her negligee down and trailed kisses along her shoulder.

"Mmm..." Maddie closed her eyes.

Ethan pulled the other strap down. "Let's get you out of this..."

Maddie raised her arms so he could take the negligee off.

"You are the most beautiful woman in the world," Ethan said softly.

Maddie leaned in. "And I think you are the most handsome bloke..."

Ethan kicked off his trousers and then his boxer shorts before kissing his wife.

"There's my Ethan Jr..." Maddie said huskily as he began to walk them towards the bed.

Ethan laughed. "Maddie...what am I going to do with you?"

"You don't need me to spell it out, do you?" Maddie asked, twisting a long lock of hair around her finger.

"Absolutely not," Ethan said as they tumbled down on the bed.

Maddie giggled. "You'd better cast a silencing charm on this room..."

He reached blindly for his wand on the bedside table and did as she requested.

"Now..." Maddie rolled over on top of him. "Show me how much you want me."

"As you wish," Ethan said before kissing her.

Downstairs, Frankie awoke from her kip. She gently eased away from Hannah, not wanting to wake her up, and headed for the kitchen. "It's still raining?" she asked Hermione and Saffron with a yawn.

Saffron nodded. "Do you want a cup of tea, Frankie?"

Frankie shook her head. "Not unless it's decaf."

"How about some milk instead?" Hermione suggested.

"Sounds good," Frankie sat down.

"Hannah still kipping?" Saffron asked.

Frankie nodded. "Her and Will, both."

"She's such a sweet little girl," Saffron said. "I'm glad she's okay."

Frankie nodded. "I feel bad we didn't notice her reaction to the news. Will and I decided we'll sit down and have a talk with her about everything later."

"She's been through so much and the only person she felt loved her was taken from her in such a tragic way," Hermione said thoughtfully. "You just need to make sure that she knows how much you and Will love her and will always love her."

"She's never going to feel second best to the baby," Frankie put her hand on her stomach. "Not even for a moment."

"She's your little girl," Hermione said smiling at her.

"That she is," Frankie smiled. "I'm still in a little bit of shock over this though. I mean... Will and I talked about trying for a baby but we really weren't trying yet."

"But you know what it is to be a mum now," Saffron said.

"I know..." Frankie said. "But I wasn't pregnant with Hannah."

"I know you're scared," Hermione said softly. She set a glass of milk in front of her goddaughter. "But you can do this, Frankie. You're a great mum."

"Thanks Aunt Hermione," Frankie took the glass. "I guess I can't go wrong with this support system."

"Help is here," Hermione said. "You just have to ask."

Saffron grinned. "And I will seriously baby sit. For free. I'll do it now, for Hannah, if you want. I love kids."

"Thanks, Saffy," Frankie said. "She loves spending time with you."

Saffron looked pleased. "I'm glad. She was so shy at first."

"Mummy?" a small voice asked from the doorway.

"Hi sweetheart," Frankie turned to look at her daughter, who was rubbing her eyes.

"Would you like some biscuits, Hannah?" Saffron asked. "We have chocolate chip ones and lemon ones."

"I never had lemon biscuits before," Hannah ventured into the kitchen, holding onto her blanket.

"I'll get you two chocolate chip ones and you can try one of the lemon ones just to see if you like it," Saffron said standing up.

"Thank you," Hannah moved next to Frankie, who put an arm around her.

"Is Daddy still sleeping?" Frankie asked.

Hannah nodded. "And snoring."

Frankie laughed. "No wonder you woke up."

Saffron set a plate of biscuits in front of Hannah. "Here you go."

Hannah smiled gratefully at her. "Thank you Saffy."

Hermione looked at her daughter. "Saffy, how about you and I go see what's on the telly?"

"Okay," Saffron grabbed a few more biscuits and followed her mother out of the kitchen.

Hannah took a bite of the lemon biscuit. "These are yummy."

"I think I'll have one too," Frankie reached for one.

"Mummy?" Hannah asked.

"Yes baby?" Frankie asked.

"I really am sorry for running away," she said looking down at her plate. "My real daddy said you'd stop loving me."

"Your real daddy?" Frankie's eyebrows knit together. "Hannah... he can't hurt you anymore. Or talk to you, or even see you."

"I heard his voice in my head," Hannah explained. "I believed him."

"Sit on my lap for a minute," Frankie patted her thigh.

Hannah did as her mother asked.

"Whatever David Wright tells you, in your head or otherwise, is nothing but a lie." Frankie said firmly. "Nothing on earth could make me or your daddy stop loving you. Not this new baby or anything else."

"I was so scared that you didn't want me around," Hannah said. "I just love being with you and Daddy and I thought you would make me leave."

"No sweetheart," Frankie kissed the top of Hannah's head.

Hannah started to cry and she turned around and wrapped her arms around Frankie's neck. "I love you, Mummy."

"I love you too," Frankie hugged her back. "So, so much. You changed so many things for me Hannah."

Hannah wiped at her eyes. "Am I going to have a brother or a sister?"

"We don't know yet," Frankie smoothed Hannah's hair back. "I'll have to talk with Will to decide if we're going to find out ahead of time or not."

"Don't you want to know?" Hannah asked.

"I kind of do," Frankie said with a smile. "Your vote counts too. What do you think?"

"I'd like to know," Hannah replied.

"That makes two of us then," Frankie kissed her cheek.

"Daddy's outvoted," Hannah said with a smile.

"We don't know what he wants yet," Frankie nudged her. "It might be unanimous."

"What's... ananimous?" Hannah asked.

Frankie smiled. "Unanimous. It means that everyone votes the same way."

"Oh," Hannah said. "I like that."

"What do you want to do with the rest of the rainy day, Miss Hannah?" Frankie asked her.

"I don't know," Hannah reached for the last lemon biscuit.

"I have a few new magazines," Frankie said.

Hannah brightened. "Can we read the advice columns?"

Frankie grinned. "Of course. We haven't done that in ages."

"I love when we read magazines," Hannah leaned against her.

"Me too," Frankie said putting her arms around her.

"Hey," Will yawned as he appeared in the kitchen. "How long have you two been up?"

"Just a little while," Frankie said. "Hannah woke up thanks to your snoring."

"I don't snore," Will replied indignantly.

Frankie scoffed. "Yes you do..."

"You do a little," Hannah said. "Just a little, Daddy."

Will laughed. "But you both still love me, right?"

"Of course," Frankie grinned at him. "Hannah and I were just going to read some magazines."

Will grimaced. "I'll leave you two to it."

"What are you going to do Daddy?" Hannah asked.

"I might run to the shops and make something for us all for dinner," Will said.

"Will you make your special garlic bread?" Hannah asked. "It's my most favouritest."

"Oooh," Frankie said. "Yes, please."

"Can I help you make it?" Hannah asked.

"I can't make it without you," Will said mussing her hair.

"Okay," Hannah said, feeling better than she had all day. "Daddy? Me and Mummy want to know if the baby's a boy or girl before it's born."

Will was heartened to see Hannah mention the baby in a positive context. "You do? Well, that makes three of us."

"That way we can know how to decorate the room," Hannah said.

"That's right," Frankie nodded. "We won't be able to find out quite yet though."

"Were my grandparents really happy?" Hannah asked.

"All of them," Frankie nodded. "And they're happy that you'll get to be a big sister."

"A big sister," Hannah said. "That could be nice."

"If you want pointers, you can always ask Em and Caroline," Will replied. "And I think you'll be a wonderful sister, Hannah."

Frankie nodded in agreement. "And there's something I wanted to tell you. You know how your Grandpa Neville has three daughters---Chiaki, Allie and me?"

Hannah nodded.

"And you've seen how he loves all three of us and doesn't treat us any differently?" Frankie asked.

"Cause you're his girls," Hannah replied.

"That's right," Frankie said. "But you want to know something? When my mum was younger, she was dating this man who she thought she loved. And she found out that she was going to have a baby and this man left her to go on her own..."

Hannah's eyes grew wide. "What did she do?"

"Well," Frankie said. "She had a lot of good friends like Hermione, Harry, Ron and Luna and your Grandpa Neville. He was there for her and they fell in love. And when your Grandma Cho gave birth to a baby girl, he adopted her and that little baby was your Aunt Chiaki."

"Aunt Chiaki's adopted too?" Hannah asked.

Frankie nodded. "And you'd never know it, would you?"

Hannah shook her head. "No."

"He's always treated her just as he treated me and Allie," Frankie said. "And Allie and I have always thought of her as our sister."

Hannah nodded. "I promise to love the baby a whole lot."

"And I know that the baby is going to love you," Will said. "And I know this is early, but I'm putting the name William Junior out there."

"Oh you're so convinced it's a boy," Frankie shook her head. "What if it's another little girl for us to spoil?"

Will pretended to think. "Um...Wilhelmina?"

"Ew," Hannah and Frankie said at the same time.

"Frankie, Junior?" Will suggested.

"I like that," Frankie nodded with a grin.

"No, I've got it," Will said winking at Hannah. "Alicia."

"William Barron--" Frankie began.

"Kidding," Will interjected giving her a kiss. "We have time to come up with a name that we all agree on, right?"

"Can I help you think up a really good name?" Hannah asked.

Frankie nodded. "Of course. As long as it's not Wilhelmina or Alicia."

"I don't like those names," Hannah replied.

"Me either," Frankie said giving Hannah a hug. "Now, you and I have a date with a few advice columns."

"And I have a date with the shops," Will said, grabbing his jumper off the back of a chair. "I'll be back in a little bit."

Hannah slid off of Frankie's lap and ran toward her father. "I love you, Daddy."

Will scooped her up and hugged her tightly. "I love you too sweetheart."

"Even though I ran away?" Hannah asked.

"You silly girl," Will kissed her cheek. "I couldn't stop loving my Hannah if I tried."

Hannah smiled and hugged him once more. She was starting to think that being a big sister was going to be okay. And she was still going to be Frankie and Will's little girl. That's all that mattered.

*** *** ***

On Friday evening, RJ found himself standing outside his brother's pub wondering what he was doing. He hadn't been this nervous around a girl since he'd first starting going out with Lexie. Back then, he'd been nervous that Alexa would decide that she deserved better and drop him. He'd never admitted that to anyone and even though he still had strong feelings for his ex-girlfriend, it was time to move on. She'd done it and there was nothing to say that he couldn't.

He wasn't looking for anything serious, but he liked Audrey and wanted to get to know her better.

Taking a deep breath, he pushed open the door and went inside. He saw Audrey and Victoria over by the bar so he made his way to them.

"Hey," he smiled at her. "How's it going?"

"Hello, Jon's little brother," Audrey returned. "What can I get for you?"

"Beer?" RJ asked. "And... um... what time do you get off here tonight?"

"Ten," Audrey replied.

Victoria grinned as she handed RJ his beer. "Smooth, Junior." She affectionately tapped him on the shoulder before heading to the other end of the bar.

"Junior, eh?" Audrey grinned at him.

RJ laughed. "RJ stands for Ronald Junior. Ronald Bilius Weasley, Junior if you want to get technical."

"Bilius?" Audrey asked.

"An old family name," RJ explained. "My great-uncle. Not too many people know that's my middle name so I'd appreciate it if you kept that hush- hush."

"Mum's the word," Audrey promised. "So how are things going?"

"Pretty good," RJ replied. "How about with you?"

"Same old," Audrey shrugged. "I've been working here a lot lately. My tuition is due soon and I need the money."

"Your parents aren't helping out?" RJ asked.

"They do what they can," Audrey told him. "But I have three other brothers and sisters that are younger than me."

"I can certainly relate," RJ said. "I'm the youngest of six."

"Jon told me you were the baby of the family," Audrey teased, pouring a drink for another patron.

"Oh yes," RJ said rolling his eyes. "This basically means I have four mothers---five if you count my nana, which I do. Maddie, Drew, Darla, Mum and Nana."

Audrey laughed. "Jon had lots of tales about you."

RJ pulled back on his beer. "You can't believe half the rubbish that comes out of his mouth."

"Oh?" Audrey's eyes twinkled. "So when he said you were a really decent bloke and I should go out with you should you ask, that was a lie?"

RJ laughed. "Well that would be the half you could believe."

"Oh?" Audrey asked.

"Yeah," RJ grinned. "So you spoke to Jon about me then?"

Audrey blushed. "Just a bit."

"I asked him about you too," RJ flirted. "Just a bit."

"And I'm sure whatever he told you was completely true," Audrey laughed. "Because he doesn't know anything bad about me... yet."

"Ahhhh," RJ laughed. "A sweet girl like you has a bad side?"

"Maybe," Audrey said coyly.

RJ was about to say something else when another patron motioned for Audrey. She excused herself to go and wait on him and RJ watched her go. She wore her brown hair in two plaits tonight and she looked absolutely adorable.

"You know, your brother did have some nice things to say to her about you," Victoria was leaning on the bar. "He rang here the other night."

"I'll have to thank him for that," RJ said smiling.

"For what it's worth, I think she likes you too," Victoria grinned at him before heading off to one of the tables.

RJ smiled to himself as he thought about this. Audrey came back over to him carrying a tray of dirty glasses.

"So where's your heartbroken friend tonight?" Audrey asked him.

"Andrew?" RJ asked. "Getting ready to go see Saffron tomorrow. Hopefully she won't be a brat and mess things up."

"No love lost between you and this Saffron?" Audrey guessed.

"Not anymore," RJ shook his head. "It's a long story."

"Maybe someday you'll tell me about it," Audrey said setting glasses underneath the bar. "I happen to love long stories."

"Yeah but you don't like boring stories, I'm sure." RJ replied.

"Depends on who is telling them," Audrey said.

"Maybe I will tell you sometime then," RJ leaned back in the seat.

"I'll hold you to it," Audrey said. "Are you sure you don't want anything to eat?"

"Surprise me," RJ grinned at her.

"You're on," Audrey said heading toward the kitchen.

He really did like her, he realised as he watched her go. She was witty, smart and fun to talk to.

She returned a few minutes later with two plates. "Club sandwich and chips. And because you're such a nice customer, you get the pleasure of eating with me while I'm on my break."

"Well aren't I the lucky one?" RJ grinned. "Let's find a table."

"It's quieter in the back," she said handing him one of the plates.

"Thanks," RJ led her to a cosy corner table in the back.

"Excellent choice," Audrey told him.

"So I was thinking..." RJ said when they were both eating. "Um... I know it's late, but there's this great theatre in London that shows old movies around midnight. If you're not already busy... do you want to go?"

"I'd love to go," Audrey replied.

"You would?" he asked in surprise.

She nodded. "I like old movies."

"Old scary movies?" RJ questioned.

"The scarier the better," Audrey said with a grin.

"You really do sound like my kind of girl," RJ replied without thinking.

"Do I?" Audrey asked smiling at him. "You've just met me."

"You seem like it," RJ said hastily.

"A girl who likes old scary movies does it for you then?" Audrey asked dipping one of her chips in some catsup. "You might need to get out more, Junior."

RJ shook his head. "I like what girls usually do when they watch old scary movies," he said with a devilish grin.

"Shriek and grab hold of your arm?" Audrey asked.

"Sure," RJ nodded.

"I usually don't do that, but I can if it will make you feel better," Audrey teased.

RJ laughed. "Deal."

"So tell me more about yourself," Audrey said. "What makes RJ Weasley tick?"

"Oh I don't know," RJ said, remembering this girl was a Muggle. "I like sport."

"I'm not that much of a fan, but I've gone to few football matches," Audrey told him.

"Football's great," RJ nodded. "It's more fun when you go with someone who likes it a lot."

"You should meet my dad," Audrey said. "He loves it."

"Maybe I'll get to sometime," RJ grinned at her.

"Maybe," Audrey said grinning back at him. "I think I've seen your dad in here a couple of times. He seems really nice."

"Did he devour your kitchen?" RJ asked.

"Now that you mention it, he did eat quite a bit," Audrey said. "He was with a pretty blonde girl...your sister?"

"My sister or my mum," RJ nodded. "If she was eating as much as he was, then it was Mads."

"She was eating as much as him," Audrey remembered.

"Then that's my sister," RJ shook his head. "It's amazing how they never gain any weight."

"And that little Emma can put it away too," Audrey said with a laugh. "She's adorable."

"I'm her godfather," RJ said with a grin. "You should see this picture I have of her..." he reached for his wallet.

Audrey smiled and pushed her plate out of the way.

RJ passed the photo to her. "She was eating blueberry muffins and it got all over her."

Audrey giggled. "How cute!"

"She's really too much," RJ laughed. "Every time I see her, she's got something new to talk about. She says the funniest things."

"She's going to break some hearts when she grows up," Audrey said handing the picture back to him.

"Jon and Allie are going to have their work cut out for them with her," RJ nodded.

"My little brother Steven was the same way," Audrey said. "He's seven going on 20."

"That's Caroline," RJ replied.

"She's really sweet," Audrey said. "I dropped some napkins and she helped me pick them up."

"She's like Allie," RJ said. "She's a good kid."

"And your nephew?" Audrey asked.

"Adam?" RJ grinned. "He's going to be just like Jon- a handful."

Audrey laughed. "I bet you were the same way."

"Who me?" RJ asked. "I was perfect."

"Right," Audrey said rolling her eyes.

"You don't believe me?" RJ teased.

"Not for one second," Audrey said winking at him.

"You're smart then," RJ grinned at her.

Audrey watched as he reached for one of her chips. "Hey!"

"These are really addicting," RJ snatched it off her plate.

"So you finish yours and move on to mine?" Audrey asked swatting at him.

RJ laughed. "My sister Maddie always steals food off her husband Ethan's plate. It drives him mad."

"Must run in the family," Audrey said as RJ took another one of her chips.

"It must," RJ reached for another and she smacked his hand. "OW!"

"I'm not finished," Audrey laughed.

"All right, all right," RJ withdrew his hand. "You slap like a girl, anyway."

"Those are fighting words," Audrey said before taking another bite of her sandwich.

"Am I supposed to be scared?" RJ asked with a teasing smirk.

Audrey nodded. "If you're not nice, I'm not going to go out with you."

"Ooh," RJ leaned back. "Okay then. I'll be the nicest bloke in the world."

"Good answer," Audrey said pushing her plate toward him. "You can finish this up and I need to get back to my tables."

"Thanks," RJ grinned at her.

Audrey grinned back at him before heading back to the front of the pub.

He watched her go, sitting back as he finished his meal.

He liked this girl and wanted to get to know her better and see where this went. He hadn't felt this optimistic in quite some time. In the back of his head, he pictured Alexa and thought about the day they'd danced at the wedding. She'd turned him down. She was with Boyd now and that wasn't going to change anytime soon. It was time to move on and Audrey could help him do just that.

Ten came quickly enough and RJ approached the bar where she stood talking to Victoria. "Are you ready?" he asked.

"Absolutely," Audrey replied. "Take me out of here."

"Because it's such a bad place to work," Victoria deadpanned.

"It's not, but I've had my fill of pissed blokes trying to grab my arse," Audrey said to her boss. "I'll see you tomorrow, Vic."

"Night Audrey," Victoria smiled at her. "And say hello to Jon if you talk to him, RJ."

"I will," RJ promised.

They left the pub together, heading towards downtown London. "How about a coffee, first?" RJ asked.

Audrey looked thoughtfully at him. "Okay."

"Well we're going to be up for awhile if the movie starts at midnight," RJ said.

"I never need an excuse for caffeine," Audrey said linking her arm in his. "I'm a university student. We exist because of it."

"What are you studying?" RJ asked interestedly, and happy at the close contact.

"Sociology," Audrey replied.

"Wow," RJ was impressed.

"I have quite a few more years left," Audrey said. "But it's all that I've ever wanted to do. "

"That's really cool," RJ held open the door to a local coffee shop for her.

"Thank you," Audrey said. She scanned the room. "I'll get us a table. I like cappuccinos."

"Cappuccino it is," RJ nodded. He headed over to the queue and ordered one for her plus a regular coffee for himself.

"Thanks," Audrey said when he sat down.

"I don't ever remember what drink is what," RJ shook his head. "I usually wind up ordering the wrong thing unless I get just plain coffee."

"There is quite a variety," Audrey said before taking a sip of her cappuccino. "So...what about you? What is it that you do?"

Jon had told him Audrey knew nothing of the wizarding world, so he had to think fast. "Um... my mum does this freelance gig, and I sometimes take pictures for her articles."

"I'd love to see some of your work sometime," Audrey said.

"Sure," RJ nodded, resolving to take more Muggle photographs the first chance he got.

"I have a confession to make," Audrey said. "This is my first date in quite some time. I broke up with my last boyfriend about six months ago. I've been so busy with school and work I haven't had that much chance for a social life."

"It's mine too," RJ replied. "My last girlfriend and I broke up shortly after the new year."

"Were you the dumper or the dumpee?" Audrey asked.

"Dumpee, actually." RJ said ruefully. "But to be honest, she was a real pain in the arse. I'm better off."

"Maybe we should introduce her to my ex," Audrey said with a laugh. "He wouldn't know the truth if it came up and hit him in the face."

"I'd love for something to hit Serena in the face," RJ rolled his eyes. "Might ruin her nose job."

"She sounds high maintenance," Audrey said sympathetically.

"She was above high maintenance," RJ shook his head. "I'd take her to family gatherings and she'd fall asleep because the attention wasn't on her."

Audrey gaped at him. "Oh no. That's terrible. Jon's always talking about your family and how you're always there for each other. I know it can't have been easy to have someone around like that."

"It only lasted a few months," RJ replied.

"Months you'll never get back," Audrey said.

"We all make mistakes," RJ said simply.

"Some more than others," Audrey commented.

RJ shook his head. "We're sitting here talking about our exes... something tells me there are better things we can discuss."

"Absolutely," Audrey said. "What do you want to talk about?"

RJ shrugged. "What else do you do aside from work at the pub and study?"

"Well," Audrey said thoughtfully. "I like to read and I love being with my friends and my family."

"That's kind of like me," RJ said. "Minus the reading part."

"Let me guess?" Audrey teased. "The only things you read for fun are sports magazines?"

"Pretty much," RJ sent her a grin.

"Typical bloke," Audrey said laughing.

"What can I say?" RJ finished his coffee.

Audrey smiled at him. "You know, I was glad when you walked into the pub tonight. I've been thinking about you."

RJ grinned. "You have?"

Audrey nodded. "And after talking with Jon, I had a feeling you fancied me..."

"Jon said I fancied you?" RJ asked, making a mental note to kill his brother.

"Not in so many words, but he did say that you had asked about me," Audrey said. "And I figured that you wouldn't have asked if you weren't interested."

RJ sat back. "I guess I've been found out then."

Audrey smiled at him. "I like things being out in the open. Honesty is very important to me."

RJ nodded. "All right then. I like you. You're the first girl I've had any sort of feelings for in awhile."

"I like you too, RJ," Audrey said reaching for his hand. "Very much."

He squeezed her fingers. "We should get to that movie..."

"Right," Audrey agreed. "And you can buy me some chocolate."

RJ laughed. "Chocolate for you, and liquorice for me?"

"Chocolate, popcorn and liquorice," Audrey said smiling at him. "If I'm going to hang out with a Weasley, I suppose I should try and eat like one."

RJ laughed even harder. "Sounds like you've got us all pegged. Wait until you really see my dad and Maddie at dinner."

"And Emma?" Audrey asked.

RJ nodded. "Can’t forget her."

Audrey linked her arm with his and RJ felt optimistic for the first time in forever. This was a beginning and he looked forward to getting to know this girl.

181. 181

We know you guys are anxiously awaiting Saffron and Andrew’s meeting, and it WILL happen next chapter, we promise. We just had to get some other stuff out first! We know some of you may not exactly enjoy this chapter, but we both felt some of it’s contents were necessary to the character, and after this, things will look up for that particular person! Thanks for reading!

Before they had left for Brighton, Caroline had asked her grandmother for a recording of the music she would be dancing to for the audition. Every morning for an hour and sometimes in the evening, Caroline would go into the basement and practise. Her father had put a barre there with magic and currently she was using it to warm up.

"First position," she said to herself as she moved her feet to the correct position.

Allison came downstairs to start a load of laundry and she smiled when she saw the look of concentration on her eldest daughter's face.

"Second position," Caroline whispered, not noticing her mother.

Allison set the laundry basket down and Caroline finally caught sight of her mother in the mirror.

"Sorry, baby," Allison apologised. "I was just watching."

"How did I look?" Caroline asked.

"Like the best ballerina in the entire world," Allison replied.

Caroline beamed at her. "Thanks Mummy. I really want to get the lead."

"You just remember the steps your grandma taught you and do your best and I think you have a good chance," Allison said picking up the basket. "You've worked really hard, baby."

Caroline nodded. "Every day I've been practising."

"Do you want to show me the routine?" Allison asked. "I'd love to see it."

"I don't have it all memorised yet," Caroline blushed. "But I'll show you what I remember so far."

"Okay," Allison said walking over to the stereo. "Ready?"

Caroline nodded as she walked to the middle of the room.

Allison turned the music on and stood back and watched as her daughter began the dance.

Caroline closed her eyes as she performed the steps Cho had taught them. She stumbled a little as she finished and smiled sheepishly. "I need practise on that last part."

"You did great, baby," Allison said grinning at her. "And your Aunt Chiaki's stopping in later if you want to ask her for some pointers."

"She is?" Caroline brightened.

"She's gone to lunch with Julie," Allison told her. "They'll be back soon and I'm sure she'd love to help you."

"I can't wait," Caroline hugged her mother.

"You're my sweet girl," Allison said hugging her tightly. "And your daddy and I are so proud of you."

"Thanks Mummy," Caroline said. "Do you think Daddy will bring me flowers if I get the lead?"

"I'm going to bring you soooooo many flowers," Jon said coming down the stairs, "No matter what."

Caroline grinned. "Some roses?"

Jon picked her up and spun her around. "Roses and carnations and tulips and lilies..."

"All my favourites," Caroline giggled.

"I should get this load started," Allison said picking up the basket.

"I'll help you Mummy," Caroline said as Jon set her down.

"Thanks, baby," Allison said. "You're the best helper."

Caroline waited until they were alone again before asking her mother a question. "Do you think Katie will be mad at me if I get the lead?"

Allison looked thoughtfully at her daughter. "You and Katie have been best friends for a long time, sweetheart. You'd be happy for Katie if she got the lead, wouldn't you?"

"I think so," Caroline replied.

"Katie might be upset if she doesn't get the lead, but I think she'd be happy for you since you two are friends," Allison said. "That's the way friends are."

"Then I would be happy for her," Caroline nodded. "Just like I'd be happy for Mia."

Allison smiled at her. "I'm glad you didn't inherit my dancing skills."

"Mummy you're good," Caroline argued.

"Caroline, I have two left feet," Allison said laughing.

Caroline giggled. "But you always dance good with Daddy."

Allison tweaked her daughter's nose. "Well, there's a reason why your Aunt Chiaki and Uncle Toshio made a living as dancers and your father and I didn't."

"But I'm glad you're my mummy and daddy," Caroline replied. "I wouldn't ever want another mummy or daddy besides you."

Allison smiled at her. "Thanks, baby. You remind me so much of me, do you know that?"

"I do?" Caroline asked, pleased.

Allison started pulling clothes out of the basket and sorting them into piles. "I see a lot of myself in you, Caroline. But, you're so much more brave than I ever was."

Caroline helped her mother with the chore. "How am I braver?"

"The fact that you're trying out for the lead in the recital, for one," Allison replied. "When I was about your age, my school had a spelling contest and I was the best speller in my class. Well, I was so afraid of getting up in front of all those people, I didn't participate."

"But you're so good at that sort of thing," Caroline replied.

Allison knelt down and put her hands on Caroline's shoulders. "I am, but I missed out on that because I was afraid. Don't you ever let your fears stop you from going after something you want, baby."

"I won't," Caroline hugged her mother. "Thanks Mummy. I feel a lot better about the audition now."

"I’m glad," Allison said hugging her tightly.

"I'm going to practise just a little more, and then I'll go out to the beach," Caroline decided.

Allison started the washing machine. "Okay, sweetheart. I'm going to go and check on your little sister."

Allison and Caroline walked back over to the practise area and Caroline giggled when she saw her father trying to put his leg up on the barre.

"Help me!" Jon said dramatically. "Oh best ballerina in the world!"

"Daddy, you're going to hurt yourself!" Caroline giggled.

"Not if my little ballerina will show me how to do it!" Jon answered with a grin.

Caroline gracefully put her leg up on the barre. "See?"

"Like this?" Jon hoisted his own leg up.

"Sort of," Caroline said not wanting to hurt his feelings.

There were footsteps on the stairs and Caroline looked up to see her best friend. "Aunt Allie? Emma's looking for you. She said she's ready to eat."

"I'll be right there," Allison. "Thank you Katie."

"I should go and check on Adam," Jon said struggling to put his leg back down. "Come on, Al."

"Yes my lovely ballerina," Allison teased.

"Very funny," Jon said giving Caroline's plait a tug before following his wife upstairs.

Katie looked at Caroline. "I was wondering where you'd gone off too. You were gone when I woke up."

"I was down here practising," Caroline replied.

"The tryouts aren't for another few weeks," Katie said. "And we're on holiday..."

"I know," Caroline said. "But I want to be ready."

"You're still going to try out then?" Katie asked folding her arms.

"Yes," Caroline looked over at her. "Why shouldn't I?"

Katie shrugged, not wanting to fight with Caroline again. "Do you mind if we practise together?"

"Sure," Caroline agreed, moving down the barre so her friend had room.

"I just need to stretch," Katie said. "Ooh! And I need to get my shoes. I'll be right back."

"Okay," Caroline answered, reaching for her toes.

Katie hurried out and returned a few moments later with her ballet slippers. She pulled her brown hair back into a ponytail. "We could have been practising together this whole time, Caroline."

"I'm sorry," Caroline said. "I just thought you'd want to sleep. You always say you hate getting up early."

Katie smiled. "I normally do, but I'd have gotten up to practise."

"Oh," Caroline said, stretching out her other leg. "I'll remember that tomorrow."

"When Mummy and Aunt Chiaki get back from their lunch, we can show them how good we are," Katie said to her best friend, as they both continued to stretch.

"Definitely," Caroline agreed. "I can't wait to show Aunt Chiaki how I'm doing."

Katie finished stretching. "I'll turn on the music and we can go through the routine."

"Okay," Caroline answered, moving to the middle of the room.

Katie pressed play and then scurried back over to stand beside her friend. She hoped that once Caroline saw how great she was, she'd decide not to try out.

The music started and Caroline closed her eyes and tried to visualize the steps in her head again. It helped her remember when to do the dance correctly.

Katie kept one eye on her friend as they did the routine. Caroline was much better than she'd originally thought.

However, at the end, Caroline still stumbled a bit on the final few steps. "I just can't get those right," she said, frustrated.

"You do it like this," Katie demonstrated. "You hold the last pirouette."

Caroline watched her friend. "Let's try it once more."

Katie nodded. "Okay...I'll start it again."

Caroline did the dance with her but this time held the pirouette as Katie had shown her. "I did it!"

"That was good," Katie admitted.

"Thanks," Caroline said proudly. "I've been working really hard."

"Working hard pays off," Katie said absently.

"You're right," Caroline nodded. "Thanks for your help."

"No problem," Katie said doing another pirouette for good measure.

"You've always been really good," Caroline watched her.

Katie beamed at her. "Thanks, Caroline."

"Want to go out to the beach?" she asked.

Katie linked her arm in Caroline's. "Absolutely."

"We should help Em and Hannah build another sand castle," Caroline said as they headed upstairs.

"That'd be fun," Katie agreed. "If we can get Hannah to do it. She's been awfully quiet since Frankie and Will told her about the baby."

"I know," Caroline sobered. "I think she's scared Uncle Will and Aunt Frankie won't love her anymore."

"Did you feel that way with Em and Adam?" Katie asked.

Caroline shook her head. "No, I was excited."

"Maybe you could tell her how you felt when your mum had your brother and sister," Katie said thoughtfully. "It might help her."

"That's a good idea," Caroline nodded. "I'll do that today."

"It's really nice outside," Katie said. "I can't wait to get out on the beach."

"Me too," Caroline nodded. "We should go jump in the waves. Maybe Ashley will want to come with us."

"If we can get her away from her sketchbook," Katie said. "She's trying to get into some fancy art program next summer."

"Really?" Caroline asked as they changed into their swim costumes. "She's so talented. I bet she'll be a famous artist someday!"

"That's what she wants to do," Katie said. Her relationship with her sister had improved a great deal these last few months. Ashley had helped Katie with her reading and never made her feel stupid about it.

"And you'll be a famous model, dancer, and singer." Caroline giggled.

Katie giggled and tossed back her hair. "That's me and you can be my bestest friend in the whole world who....who...what is it that you want to do?"

"I don't know," Caroline said. "Maybe be a teacher."

"You'd be great at that," Katie said loyally.

"I hope so," Caroline answered.

Emma came into the room carrying her own swim costume. "Sissy, help Em."

Caroline looked at the two swim bottoms Emma had in her hands. "Em, these are two bottoms. Where's the top?"

"Here," Emma held up one of the bottoms.

"That's the bottom," Katie said. "And they don't match, Em."

"Help!" Emma said. "Em can't find top!"

"I'll get you one," Caroline reassured her. "You've got the red bottoms and the blue bottoms. Which colour did you want to wear today?"

"Em loves red," Emma said.

Caroline smiled at her. "I had a feeling you'd say that. I'll go check you room."

"Thanks Sissy," Emma grinned at her.

Katie slid into a pair of flip-flops. "Where's Hannah, Em?"

"Um... with Aunt Frack." Emma replied.

"Is she coming down to the beach with us?" Katie asked as Caroline came back into the room with Emma's red top.

"Hope so," Emma's mouth drooped. "Han sad."

"We'll cheer her up," Caroline said motioning for Emma to stand in front of her so she could help her put on the top.

"Kay," Emma nodded. "Em make Han happy!"

Before long, the three girls headed downstairs. Frankie was sitting with Hannah on the sofa, reading from a magazine.

"Han!" Emma called out. "Come to beach!"

"I'm going to stay in here with my mummy," Hannah replied.

"Hannah has to stay in today," Frankie told her nieces.

"Ohhh," Caroline remembered that their cousin was grounded. "I'm sorry, Aunt Frankie. We forgot."

"Its okay girls," Frankie replied. "Hannah will be back out tomorrow, right?"

"Okay," Caroline said.

"Em will miss Han," the redhead hugged her friend.

Hannah hugged her back. "Have fun."

"Em will," Emma waved. "Bye Han. Be good, kay?"

Hannah nodded and watched her cousins walk out with Ethan and Maddie.

"Where were we?" Frankie asked.

Hannah shrugged. "I don't remember."

"Are you okay sweetheart?" Frankie asked.

Hannah nodded. "Yes, Mummy."

"You're awfully quiet," Frankie pursued.

"I'm just sleepy," Hannah said. "I didn't sleep very well last night."

"How come?" Frankie asked.

"Thinking too much," Hannah replied.

"Are you still worried about the baby?" Frankie asked. "Because you know you don't need to be."

"I don't want things to change," Hannah said quietly.

"But sometimes change is good," Frankie said softly. "You're going to be a wonderful big sister, Hannah. Look how good you are with Mas and Sukie. It'll be that way all the time."

"Can I go up to my room?" Hannah asked.

"If you want to," Frankie said. "But I hope you'll realise that the baby's going to love you."

The door swung open and Julie and Chiaki came inside. Hannah liked both of them and normally would have been happy to see them.

Instead, she tucked her head down and hurried out of the room.

"Is everything okay?" Chiaki asked.

"She's still upset about the baby," Frankie said. "And I thought she was feeling better after we talked yesterday."

"She needs a little time to adjust," Julie said thoughtfully.

"This isn't easy," Frankie ran her hands through her hair. "I mean, I knew being a parent wasn't going to be simple, but I just don't know what else to do for her."

"I'll be right back," Chiaki said. She knew a little what Hannah must be going through. She just hoped she'd be able to help.

She knocked softly on her niece's door. "Hannah? It's Aunt Chiaki. Can I come in for a moment?"

"Yes," Hannah replied hugging her teddy bear to her.

"Hi sweetheart," Chiaki cracked the door open.

"Hi," Hannah said, not looking at her aunt.

Chiaki sat down next to her on the bed. "Your mummy told me you're still a little upset about the baby."

Hannah nodded. "I'm afraid."

"Of what?" Chiaki asked, smoothing down the little girl's hair.

"I'm not really theirs like the baby," Hannah said starting to cry.

"Oh sweetheart," Chiaki hugged her. "You are as much Will and Frankie's as the new baby is. They chose you, you see? That makes you extra special."

"It does?" Hannah asked.

"Absolutely," Chiaki nodded. "I sort of felt that way too after I found out I was adopted. Well, I was upset first, but then I knew my father did it because he loves me."

"I just love being their little girl so much," Hannah said wiping at her eyes. "I don't ever, ever, ever want to go away."

"You won't," Chiaki kissed the top of her head. "We all love you Hannah."

Hannah held on to her aunt for a long time.

"If you're afraid, it's okay." Chiaki told her gently. "But then you just need to talk to your mummy and daddy. And they'll tell you how much they love you."

"Can I talk to you, too?" Hannah asked.

"Anytime," Chiaki said with a smile.

Hannah was happy to hear that. Out of everyone, Chiaki would know what it was like since she'd been adopted too. "Thanks, Aunt Chiaki."

"I love you sweetheart," Chiaki gave her another hug. "I'll do anything I can to help you with this, okay?"

"I love you too," Hannah said smiling for the first time that day.

"Come on," Chiaki took her hand. "Why don't we go back downstairs?"

"I'd like that," Hannah said.

"I wish I was staying here," Chiaki looked around. "This is such a lovely home. And I love this bedroom!"

"I'm sharing it with Emma and Casey," Hannah told her.

"I bet you three have fun every night," Chiaki said as they headed back downstairs. "Staying up late and talking..."

"Emma tells these stories to Casey," Hannah confided. "They don't make sense, but Casey likes them!"

Chiaki laughed. "Emma's a sweet girl."

Frankie couldn't get over the change in her daughter's demeanour when she came back into the room with Chiaki.

"I think we're okay now," Chiaki smiled at her sister.

Hannah sat back down beside her mother and gave her a hug. "I'm sorry, Mummy."

"It's all right baby," Frankie kissed the top of her head.

"When's Daddy getting back?" Hannah asked.

"He's out on the boat," Frankie said. "So this afternoon sometime, most likely. They all want to catch some fish."

"The only they'll catch is the sun," Julie said.

Frankie laughed. "Jon and Josh aren't exactly known for their fishing skills, are they?"

"Josh is," Julie said. "But the others---not so much."

"I should get back," Chiaki glanced at her watch. "I left Tosh alone with the kids and they've probably worn him out."

Allison came in from the kitchen. "Don't go yet, Chi. the girls wanted to show you their dance. Let me run and get them from outside."

"Okay," Chiaki sat back down. "I can't wait to see how they're doing."

"How are Mas and Sukie?" Hannah asked.

"They're good," Chiaki smiled. "Always asking about cousin Hannah."

Hannah beamed. "Really?"

"Every day," Chiaki nodded.

Hannah leaned against her mother.

A few moments later, Katie and Caroline hurried in---their hair wet from playing in the waves.

"We just need to change!" Caroline exclaimed. "We'll only be a few minutes!"

Emma came in with Allison and the moment Allison set her down, Emma made a beeline for Chiaki. She, too, was sopping wet. "Emma, no!"

Chiaki just laughed. "It's okay. Come here you little mermaid."

"Aunt Chi!" Emma squealed, giving her a hug. "Em missed you!"

"I missed you too," Chiaki said. "What have you been doing?"

"Having fun!" Emma said.

"Swimming like a little fish," Allison said. "And helping me look after Adam."

"Em loves Adam," Emma nodded. "Adam come swim with Em today!"

"He did?" Chiaki asked.

"Maddie held him in the water," Allison explained.

"Oh," Chiaki said. "Well, that must have been fun for you."

Emma nodded. "More fun when Han comes back out."

"Tomorrow," Frankie said putting an arm around her daughter.

Hannah nodded, still sitting close to her mother.

"We're ready!" Katie exclaimed.

"All right girls," Chiaki said as she went to the basement. "Show me what you've got."

Caroline took a few deep breaths and closed her eyes trying to mentally go through the steps.

Chiaki watched the girls carefully as they went through the audition dance. "You could use a better turnout there, Caroline. It'll help you spin faster."

Caroline nodded. "I've been working on it."

"You're doing a great job," Chiaki congratulated her. "And you as well, Katie."

Katie grinned. Chiaki hadn't criticised anything she'd done. "Thanks, Aunt Chiaki."

"I think the competition will be fierce for the lead this year," Chiaki winked at them.

"Only four of us signed up," Katie said confidently.

"I really hope I get it," Caroline said softly.

"Me too," Katie said. "Me too."

Caroline beamed at Katie, misunderstanding what she had said. "Katie? You really want me to get the lead?"

"What?" Katie asked turning and looking at her. "No---of course not."

Caroline deflated. "Oh."

"I'm sure Katie didn't mean it like that," Julie said looking meaningfully at her daughter. "Did you, Katie?"

Katie scuffed her foot along the floor. "Well I'd like the lead, too."

"And my mum has a big decision ahead of her," Chiaki said. "You're both really, really good."

"Thanks Aunt Chiaki," Caroline said quietly, still stung by her best friend's remarks.

"I'd really better get going," Chiaki said looking at her watch.

"Thanks for watching us," Katie said, doing another twirl.

"It was my pleasure," Chiaki said.

"Thanks for coming in," Julie said giving her friend a hug. "It was great to see you."

"I'll ring you later," Chiaki promised.

"Let's go back outside, Caroline," Katie said as if nothing were wrong.

Caroline shook her head. "I'm going to stay in for a bit."

"I can stay with you," Katie offered.

"It's okay," Caroline walked quickly upstairs.

"Katherine Rose," Julie said. "I think we need to have a word."

Katie turned and glared at her mother. "What?"

"You hurt Caroline's feelings just now," Julie told her.

Katie shrugged. "Well I'm just telling the truth. I want the lead."

"I know you do, but you need to remember that your best friend is trying out as well," Julie said softly.

Katie rolled her eyes and shrugged.

"Don't roll your eyes at me," Julie said. "You just need to ask yourself if winning this lead is more important than your best friend."

"She's not going to get mad at me," Katie tried to walk past her mother.

Julie put her hand on Katie's arm. "I think that she wants this lead as much as you do, but if she didn't get it, she'd be happy for you. I think it's not too much to ask for you to do the same."

"Fine," Katie said. "Can I go back outside?"

"Yes, but think about what I said, Katherine Rose," Julie said.

"I will," Katie said impatiently.

Julie shook her head as she watched her daughter head back upstairs. She had no way of knowing how this audition would turn out, but she just hoped Katie would remember her words.

182. 182

Okay, okay, you guys have been patient long enough. The LOOOOOONG awaited Saffron and Andrew talk is here! And we hope you enjoy the rest of the chapter too ;)

The beach house kitchen was agog with activity Saturday morning when Alexa and Saffron awoke. Harry had the idea to throw a big barbecue and had invited all the families---including the Longbottoms and the Weasleys who hadn't had a chance to make it down here for the extended holiday.

Saffron and Alexa quickly dressed and made their way downstairs to see if there was anything they could do to help. Before they made it into the kitchen, Hermione called out to the two girls from the sitting room.

"Saffron, Alexa. Could you come in here for a minute?"

"Sure Mum," Saffron said. "What's up?"

Hermione set her book aside. "There's something you need to know and I'm hoping that you'll be mature enough to cooperate."

Saffron raised an eyebrow. "Ookay..."

"Ron and Luna are coming down for the barbecue," Hermione began. "And when I spoke to Luna this morning, she told me that RJ would be coming, too."

Saffron rolled her eyes. "Great. Just what we need."

"Saffron Grace," Hermione warned. "Like it or not, he is part of the family and I'm not asking you to hang out with him. I'm asking you to be civil."

"You can just ignore him, Saffy." Alexa said. "Come on, don't be like this. Andrew's coming and you can just talk to him."

"That's not the only thing," Hermione said gently. "There's something else."

"Don't tell me," Saffron said sarcastically. "He's reconciled with that slag, Serena and he's bringing her."

Hermione shook her head. "No, but he is bringing a guest which is why I'm speaking with you now. Luna asked me to say something to you."

Saffron crossed her arms but didn't say anything.

"She's a Muggle and RJ hasn't told her what we all are," Hermione told her. "Luna's asked that we not talk about magic when you're around her."

"Fine," Saffron said.

"Who is she?" Alexa asked.

"She works in Jon's pub," Hermione said. "Luna says she's a very nice girl."

Alexa nodded. She didn't know why, but she felt a little odd about this.

"So we have to walk on eggshells all day?" Saffron asked.

"Just be polite," Hermione replied. "That's all I ask."

"Fine," Saffron said begrudgingly.

"Thank you," Hermione said. "You can see if your father wants any help in the kitchen."

"Okay," Saffron said. "Come on, Lex."

"Saffy, promise me you'll be nice," Alexa said when they left the room. "Promise."

"I promise," Saffron said. "I have bigger things to be concerned about than RJ. Andrew's coming."

"There you go," Alexa encouraged. "You'll make up with him and everything will be fine."

"I hope so," Saffron said leading the way into the kitchen. "Daddy, do you need any help?"

"I think I'm okay," Harry replied. "The deck outside could use some sweeping, though."

"I'll do that," Alexa offered. "I need some fresh air anyway."

"We can do it in two minutes with magic," Saffron replied.

"Speaking of magic, your mother did tell you about RJ and Audrey?" Harry asked her.

Saffron rolled her eyes. "Audrey. That's her name?"

"I want you to be nice," Harry told her firmly. "No one can make you like RJ, but you can be cordial. To both of them."

"We could always lock her in her room until they've gone home," Ethan said dryly.

"Very funny little man," Saffron retorted.

"Brat," Ethan countered.

"Don't make me give you a tail," Saffron threatened.

"I could give you a snout," Ethan said grinning at her before turning his back.

Saffron grabbed her wand and was about to mutter the spell when Harry waved his hand causing her wand to fly out of her grasp and into his.

"Daddy!" Saffron exclaimed. "That's not fair!"

"Don't you have a porch to sweep, Saffron Grace?" Ethan asked.

"I'll get you back," Saffron glared at her brother.

Ethan waited until his sister and her friend were out of the kitchen. "Thanks, Dad."

"She's scary when she's mad," Harry smirked. "And you're terrified of her. I'm surprised you baited her."

"Well, I'm supposed to be a big, bad Auror," Ethan said leaning against the counter. "I'm not supposed to be scared of my baby sister."

"Supposed is the key word here," Harry said dryly.

"I can't believe Mum actually offered to help," Ethan said shaking his head. "As if she could cook anything..."

"I heard that," Hermione came into the kitchen. "And I made the tapioca."

Ethan gulped. "Mum---"

"Don't worry, I won't poison any of you," Hermione set her book on the counter.

"It's actually pretty good," Harry said. "I watched her make it."

Hermione grinned at him. "Thank you dear."

"We've got enough food here for a small army," Ethan said. "Which is what we'd need to feed all the Weasleys."

"Or just Ron," Harry quipped.

"And my wife," Ethan said.

"What about me?" Maddie joined them.

"Just your appetite," Ethan said. "Did you get through to Justin?"

Sarah and Justin were watching Blue while the young couple were on holiday and Maddie checked in every day by phone to talk to the pixie.

"I did," Maddie nodded. "And Blue's doing just fine."

"You're missing him, aren't you?" Ethan asked her.

"He's my baby," Maddie answered. "Of course I miss him."

"Did you make something for Aunt Cho and Kiki?" Ethan asked his father. "Since they won't eat anything with a face?"

"I've got them all taken care of," Harry answered. "Veggie casserole in the icebox."

Hermione looked outside. "And it looks as if the weather's going to cooperate." She caught sight of her daughter straightening up the deck. She hoped Saffron would be on her best behaviour tonight.

Saffron was just setting up some beach umbrellas when she felt someone tap on her shoulder. She smiled. "Sean! What are you doing here?"

"Saw you up here and thought you might need a hand," he grinned at her. "You lot are famous for the parties, aren't you?"

"There's so many of us," Saffron said smiling at him. "We'd love it if you could make it."

"Wouldn't miss it," Sean helped her put some cushions on the benches.

Alexa excused herself to see if she could help with anything inside.

"Something wrong?" Sean asked. "You don't seen your normal, cheery self."

"Me?" Saffron asked. "I'm fine..."

"Uh-huh," Sean said unconvinced. "Is it your Gran?"

"No," Saffron answered. "I guess... I'm a little nervous about Andrew coming tonight. And stupid RJ is coming and everyone keeps warning me not to say anything to him."

"You're still not friendly with him, I gather?" Sean asked.

Saffron shook her head. "I can't stand him."

"Why would you have to be careful around him?" Sean asked. "Just stay away from him."

"That's what I said," Saffron answered. "But everyone seems to be determined to remind me to leave him be."

"You know I'm not his biggest fan," Sean said. "I still can't believe he did that to Alexa."

"Yeah I know," Saffron agreed. "Jerk..."

Sean grinned. "You look really nice today, Miss Potter. I'm not just saying that to make you feel better."

Saffron smiled at him. "You don't have to suck up to me, Grant."

Sean's gaze lingered a little too long and his cheeks reddened when she caught him. "Sorry."

"It's okay," Saffron blushed a little too. "Um... I think we're finished out here."

"What time should I be here tonight?" Sean asked.

"I think we're going to eat around half past five," Saffron answered.

"I'll be here," Sean said. "And if you need to rant about RJ, you can come to me."

Saffron grinned. "I'll remember that."

Inside, Alexa was helping clean up the sitting room. She could hear Julie in the next room talking to the younger kids about magic.

"And just don't say anything about magic when you're in front of RJ's new friend," Julie was saying. "She doesn't know about us, okay?"

"Okay Mummy," Ashley replied. "We won't say anything."

"What's her name?" Hannah asked.

"Her name is Audrey," Julie told them. "And she works with your daddy, Emma."

"Is she Uncle RJ's new girlfriend?" Caroline asked.

Julie paused for a moment. "She might be..."

Caroline frowned. "I wish Alexa was still his girlfriend."

"I know you do," Julie replied. "But you'll understand all that stuff when you get older."

"Why do grownups always say that?" Katie asked.

Julie laughed. "Another thing you'll understand when you get older."

Katie laughed, too. "Mummy!'

In the other room, Alexa sank down onto the sofa. It was good that RJ was moving on, but it was another thing to hear about it. Tonight, she'd even meet this girl. Audrey.

If she put herself in his shoes, she had to admit he'd been rather mature about seeing her with Gabriel.

She would try to do the same for him with Audrey. She just hoped Saffy could do the same.

"Deck's cleaned up," Saffron announced, coming into the room. "And--" she stopped when she saw Alexa staring off into space. "Are you all right?"

Alexa nodded. "Yeah, I was just um, taking a break."

"There's no time for that, O'Leary," Saffron said in a mock stern voice.

"I am so sorry, Dictator Potter," Alexa said getting quickly to her feet and doing a salute.

"That's more like it." Saffron said with a grin.

"How's Sean?" Alexa asked.

"Fine," Saffron said. "He's coming tonight for the barbecue."

Alexa smiled. "That's great."

"Should be fun," Saffron said. "Do you think Andrew will come early?"

"I think he might," Alexa said. "Especially since you two need to talk."

Saffron pulled her knees up to her chest. "I hope he comes soon."

"You and Andrew belong together," Alexa reassured her friend. "Just don't let anything else come between you."

"I'm not planning to," Saffron replied. "Which is why I will ignore RJ and his little girlfriend all night."

Hermione came into the room with an envelope. She was followed by Harry, Ethan and Julie. "Saffron Grace. This just arrived for you from Hogwarts."

"Oh Merlin..." Saffron's eyes grew wide and she nearly felt her heart stop.

"Open it, sweetheart," Hermione said handing the envelope to her.

Alexa grinned. "Go on, Saffy."

Saffron's hands were actually shaking as she tore it open.

"Dear Miss Potter," Saffron read aloud. "It is my great privilege to let you know that you have been named.....H-Head Girl for the coming school year."

Alexa squealed. "Saffy! You got it!"

"Congratulations, sweetheart!" Hermione exclaimed, giving her a hug. "We're so proud of you!"

"You don't know how long I've known and wanted to tell you," Julie said smiling at her sister.

"I can't believe you kept it a secret!" Saffron was still staring wide eyed at the letter.

"Come on Saf," Ethan said. "You had it in the bag."

"Mary Ellen's probably hating it right about now," Alexa said.

Saffron laughed. "The cow..."

"Saffron," Hermione said. "You shouldn't say that about your fellow student. I'm sure this Mary Ellen is a nice young lady who will be very happy to hear that you are Head Girl."

Alexa and Saffron both shook their heads. "Mum she's horrid. If she was Head Girl, the school would be a complete disaster. Just ask Jules!"

Julie coughed. "Um...well, I can't really comment."

"Congratulations sweetheart," Harry kissed the top of her head. "I'm proud of you."

"Thanks, Daddy," Saffron said beaming at him.

"She's going to rule the school," Ethan shook his head. "I'd be scared."

"You are scared," Saffron said giving him a hug. "I still can't believe they ever made you Head Boy."

Ethan laughed. "Must have been delusional."

"Tonight's barbecue can be a celebration for Saffy," Julie said.

"We can make it that," Harry agreed. "I'll run to the bakery."

"Thanks, you guys," Saffron said smiling at them. She looked at letter one more time. "I need to call my Gran and let her know."

"She'll be thrilled," Hermione said.

"Why don't we see if she'd like to come over?" Harry asked.

"She can't travel by magic, Harry." Hermione said.

"She probably wouldn't like being cooped up in a car either," Ethan said.

"We can go out to lunch with her when we get back," Saffron agreed.

"Go on and call her," Hermione said.

Saffron disappeared into the kitchen to call Elinore and Julie grinned. "Feels good to finally get that out."

"She's wanted that for so long," Ethan said.

"Especially since you both held the position as well," Hermione said to her older children.

"Did you ever have it, Mr. Potter?" Alexa asked.

"No," Harry shook his head. "I was too busy with other things in school."

"Aunt Cho," Ethan said cheekily.

"No, smartarse," Harry glared at him.

"Saving the world probably took up most of his time, Ethan," Julie said.

Maddie poked her husband in the side. "You can take your foot out of your mouth now."

"Sorry, Dad," Ethan said quietly.

"It's okay," Harry answered, putting an arm around Hermione.

"We'd better get back to work," Julie said.

"The deck is cleaned up," Alexa said. "And we've picked up in here too."

"Thank you, Alexa," Hermione said.

Since they were finished cleaning, Alexa decided to see what her boyfriend was up to. She found him up in his room, reading.

Alexa sat down on the edge of his bed and looked at the cover of the book. "Intro to the Brain and Behaviour?"

"Does it impress you?" Gabriel raised his eyes and grinned.

"Makes me glad I'm not Pre-Med," Alexa said grinning back at him.

Gabriel marked his place and set his book aside. "What's going on down there?"

"Saffron's first step to world domination is now complete," Alexa said. "She just received the letter from Hogwarts telling her she's going to be Head Girl."

"Uh oh," he laughed. "She's taking over!"

"You've been warned," Alexa said.

Gabriel reached for her. "I'm sure I'll survive. I'm on the good list, remember?"

"You don't want to be on the bad list," Alexa said giving him a kiss.

"Definitely not," Gabriel said. "And not on your bad list either."

"No, not on the bad list at all," Alexa said cuddling up to him. "There is something I need to tell you..."

"Oh yeah?" he asked, stealing another kiss.

"RJ's coming here tonight," Alexa said. "To the barbecue."

"I heard the whole Weasley clan was coming," Gabriel nodded.

"They are," Alexa said. "But it's----RJ's not coming alone. He's bringing this girl he's seeing."

Gabriel looked at her properly. "Well that's good, right?"

"Yeah," Alexa said quickly. "Of course. It's just that she's a Muggle like you and she's not aware of us being magical."

"So everyone's keeping mum on the magical world," Gabriel guessed.

Alexa nodded. "Yeah."

Gabriel shrugged. "I'm glad he's found himself someone else."

"I am too," Alexa said quietly.

He nudged her. "Lexie--"

"Gabey," she nudged him back.

"Are you okay with this?" he asked her directly.

"Of course," Alexa replied. "I want him to be happy."

"Okay," Gabriel answered. "Maybe after the barbecue we can take a walk down the beach or something."

"That'd be nice," Alexa said giving him a kiss.

"Yeah it would," he kissed her again, running his hands through her hair.

"When's your step mum and dad getting back?" Alexa asked him.

"I think later this afternoon," Gabriel replied. They had gone off to check on the set of Seamus's latest film.

"You could have gone with them," Alexa said softly.

"I wanted to stay here and read up a bit," Gabriel said. "And also stay here with you."

"And hide out from helping everyone clean up and get ready," Alexa teased.

"Maybe that too," Gabriel gave her a gentle poke in her side.

"I just hope Andrew and Saffy make up," Alexa said.

"Hope so too," Gabriel nodded. "They're crazy about each other."

"Kind of like us," Alexa said smiling at him.

"That's right," Gabriel pulled her even closer.

"I brought my college applications with me," Alexa told him.

"Oh yeah?" Gabriel asked. "We should look through them."

"My dad snuck in one from Essex," Alexa said. "He's still not too keen on me going to the States."

"Maybe I'm biased, but I think you should definitely come to the States," Gabriel nuzzled under her ear. "So I can see you as much as possible."

"You are a little biased," Alexa said softly. "But I don't mind."

"You're my girl Lexie," Gabriel said. "I always want you nearby."

Alexa smiled at him. "I can't wait."

"I hope you'll be at USC," Gabriel looked at her. "Although UCLA wouldn't be too much of a pain either. Especially since you can do that... what's it called- Apparate?"

Alexa clapped her hands together. "You've got it."

Gabriel laughed. "Finally, eh?"

"Finally," Alexa said.

"Gabey!"

"Emma Madeline Weasley, what are you doing in here?" Gabriel asked.

"Gabey no see Em today!" the little redhead gave him a stern look.

"I've been reading," Gabriel apologised. He held up the big book. "See?"

"Look at how big that book is, Em," Alexa said to the little girl.

"Bigger than Em!" Emma's eyes were round. "Pictures?"

"Sure," Gabriel said opening it up. "Have you ever seen what a brain looks like?"

"Brain?" Emma asked, climbing onto the bed with them.

"It's inside your head," Gabriel explained. "See...that's what it looks like."

"Ewwwwww!" Emma scrunched up her face.

"I'm with you on that, Em," Alexa said. "Pretty gross."

"Em no like it," Emma buried her face in Alexa's shoulder.

Alexa patted her back comfortingly. “How about Gabe and I tell you a story?"

"About a princess?" Emma asked.

"Once upon a time in a beach house in Brighton," Gabriel began. "There was a beautiful, adorable princess named Princess Emma Madeline."

Emma clapped her hands. "And prince too!"

"What's the prince's name?" Gabriel asked.

Emma grinned. "Gabey!" she said, making Alexa laugh.

"Okay," Gabriel said mussing her hair. "Princess Emma Madeline was being held captive in a tall tower at the top of the beach house."

"And every day she wished that Prince Gabriel would come rescue her," Alexa added.

"Oooooh," Emma said. "Did she have long hair like Ramunzal?"

"Yes she did," Gabriel grinned. "Long, long hair just like Rapunzel."

"And Prince Gabriel came riding up the beach on a white horse," Alexa continued. "Because he'd heard that his princess needed to be saved."

"Unicorn!" Emma said. "Prince Gabey comes on a unicorn!"

"Okay," Alexa said grinning at her. "Prince Gabriel came to the beach house on a unicorn because he also knew that unicorns were her favourite."

"Yay!" Emma clapped. "But what about wicked witch?"

"The wicked witch tried with all her powers to stop the prince, but he couldn't be thwarted," Gabriel said. "He stood outside the tower and shouted with all his might, 'Emma Madeline, let down your hair!'"

"And she did just that," Alexa added. "Prince Gabriel climbed up her hair, fighting off dragons the whole way!"

"Oooooh," Emma squealed.

"But he got to the top, where Princess Emma was waiting," Gabriel continued.

"Then what?" Emma was captivated.

"He told her he would take her to his castle where she could have as much ice cream and sweets as she wanted," Gabriel said.

Emma giggled. "Lots of sweets. And cake!"

"And they lived happily ever after with no pictures of brains," Alexa said tickling Emma's side.

"Yay!" Emma laughed happily. "Good story!"

"I bet you could tell that story to Casey tonight at the barbecue," Alexa said.

"Oooh," Emma nodded. "Em will! Bedtime story for Casey!"

"She's going to love it," Alexa said giving Emma a hug.

"Brains aren't that bad, you guys," Gabriel said.

"I guess if you're going to be a doctor they're fine," Alexa grinned at her boyfriend. "But we girly girls don't like them."

"Yucky," Emma agreed.

"I've been outvoted," Gabriel shook his head. "How about some lunch?"

"That sounds great," Alexa said smiling at Emma. "What do you say, Em?"

"Yummy," Emma rubbed her stomach.

Gabriel picked up the little girl. "Come on, little princess."

Emma put her little arms around his neck. "Em loves Gabey."

Alexa practically melted at this.

Gabriel patted her back. "Gabey loves Em, too."

Emma kissed his cheek as they went downstairs. "Ice cream?" she asked.

"What kind of lunch would it be without ice cream?" Gabriel asked.

"Not a good one," Alexa said. "What else would you like, Em?"

"Sammich," Emma replied.

"Peanut butter okay?" Alexa held up the jar.

"Peas?" Emma asked.

"Peanut butter and peas?" Alexa teased.

Emma giggled. "No!"

"You want a peanut butter and peas sandwich but you don't like brains?" Gabriel asked. "Emma.....what are we going to do with you?"

Emma giggled as Gabriel tickled her. "No peas!"

"How about peanut butter and grape jam?" Alexa asked.

"Yes," Emma nodded. "That's yummy!"

"That does sound good," Maddie said coming into the kitchen.

"I'll make you one too, Maddie," Alexa said.

"Thanks," Maddie sat down and Emma ran over to her.

"Mad!" Emma squealed.

"Em!" Maddie said with a grin as she pulled her goddaughter onto her lap. "Didn't you just eat a little while ago?"

"Hungry again," Emma said rubbing her stomach again. "Hungry, hungry, hungry."

"You mean that whole plate of chicken salad didn't get you all full?" Maddie teased.

Emma shook her head.

"Is Saffy still on the phone?" Alexa asked while she made the sandwiches.

"No," Maddie shook her head. "She went up to get ready for Andrew."

"He's coming early then?" Alexa asked.

"I believe so," Maddie answered.

In fact, Andrew was just as nervous as his girlfriend. He didn't like being without her and these last few days had been miserable. They really did need to talk and he just hoped that they'd come to an understanding where RJ was concerned.

"Will you relax?" RJ complained. "If you're so worked up, just go over there now."

"Easy for you to say," Andrew said pacing in front of the kitchen table.

"Have a drink," RJ said, glancing at his watch.

"You should be nervous too," Andrew said. "You're introducing Audrey to your whole family."

"She already knows Jon," RJ replied. "That's half the problem taken care of already."

"And you're not a little nervous about having her around Alexa?" Andrew asked.

"I don't think so," RJ said thoughtfully. "Truth be told, I'm more worried about Saffron shooting her mouth off."

"Which is why I'm going early to make sure that doesn't happen," Andrew said.

"Thank you," RJ said gratefully.

"I like Audrey," Andrew said. "And she's so much better than Serena."

"Anyone is better than Serena," RJ rolled his eyes. "Audrey's different... and she has no idea who I am."

"Which might be why she's gone out on three dates with you," Andrew said.

RJ grinned. "And she's cute as hell."

"Always helps," Andrew said. "I think I am going to head on out to the beach house. You're coming later, right?"

"I'll be there around five, I think." RJ said. "Audrey gets off work in a half hour and we're driving down."

"Good luck," Andrew said.

"You too mate," RJ replied. "I hope you can work things out."

"We'll see," Andrew said heading for the sitting room.

A few minutes later he was tumbling out of the fireplace in Brighton. He coughed, brushing soot off his clothing.

Ashley looked up from sketchbook. "Andrew."

"Hey Ash," he smiled at the blonde.

"You're here to see Aunt Saffy, right?" Ashley asked, blushing.

"I am," Andrew nodded. "Is she upstairs?"

"I can go and get her for you," Ashley offered.

"Thanks," Andrew replied, brushing the last of the soot off his shirt.

Ashley set her sketchbook aside and hurried upstairs to get her aunt. She knocked on Saffron's door. "Aunt Saffy?"

Saffron opened her door. "What's up Ash?"

"Andrew's downstairs waiting for you," Ashley said. "He just arrived."

"He's here already?" Saffron gasped.

Ashley nodded.

"Do I look okay?" Saffron fanned her face, which had turned red.

"You look beautiful," Ashley said loyally.

"Thanks," Saffron smiled at her niece. "How does he look?"

"Gorgeous," Ashley said without thinking. "Um---well, you know how he normally looks."

Despite herself, Saffron smiled. "You're not the only one who thinks so."

"Good luck," Ashley said giving her aunt's hand a squeeze.

"Thanks," Saffron wiped her palms on her jeans as she headed downstairs.

He was looking out at the deck when she walked into the sitting room.

"Hi," Saffron said softly.

Andrew turned around. "Hi."

Ashley had been right- he looked absolutely gorgeous and it took all her willpower not to run right into his arms. "I um... I wasn't expecting you so early."

"I thought it'd be best if I came early so I could talk to you before the party starts," Andrew said smiling slightly at her. "Um, how've you been?"

"Okay," Saffron shrugged as she moved into the room. "I've really missed you."

"I've missed you too," Andrew admitted. "Shall we sit down?"

"Sure," Saffron perched on the edge of the sofa.

"Where do we start?" Andrew asked sitting down beside her.

"I'm not sure," Saffron said. "Um... I guess since we really didn't get a chance to talk when I came home from school..."

"RJ's my best mate," Andrew told her. "He's like a brother to me."

"I know," Saffron nodded. "And I know everyone would love it if I would forgive and forget, but I can't. But, I will just... co exist with him."

"You've said that before," Andrew reminded her.

"But this time I will," Saffron replied. "I can't lose you over this."

Andrew leaned forward. "Saffron, I'm going to ask you something and I want the truth. You grew up with RJ. You've known him since you were kids. He makes one mistake and you've written him off? I can't understand that."

"It's more than one mistake," Saffron shook her head. "And I don't even know if I can explain it. But he's disappointed me, Andrew. And it's more than just what he did to Lex."

"And you can't get past this?" Andrew asked her.

Saffron sighed. "You'll never understand."

"You grew up with him," Andrew said thoughtfully. "You thought of him like a brother and he made some decisions that shattered your faith in him. You lost your trust in him. Is this ringing a bell?"

Saffron felt herself grow a bit angry. "You know, this is supposed to be about us working things out. Not about RJ. I told you what I was willing to do with him, okay? That's it. At this time, I'm not capable of anything else."

"Our problem stems from your resentment toward my best friend," Andrew said defensively. "I'm just trying to get to the root of the problem, Saffy."

"So what are you saying?" Saffron asked. "If I can't forgive him and get along with him, that's it for us?"

"You don't have to forgive him," Andrew said. "I just want you to find some way to get along with him. He's tried, but you've shot him down at every chance. You're the two most important people in my life and I don't like being in the middle."

"I won't put you in the middle," Saffron said. "I promise, I won't even say anything to him."

"I want to believe you, Saffy," Andrew said taking her hand.

"You can," Saffron said softly.

Andrew leaned in and gave her a kiss. "Okay."

"Really?" Saffron asked when he pulled back. "We'll be okay?"

"If you're willing to try," Andrew said.

Saffron nodded vigorously. "I am."

"I hate fighting with you," Andrew said pulling her close for a hug.

"I don't like it either," Saffron hugged him tightly. "I always want to be with you."

"We're not going to fight anymore," Andrew said firmly.

Saffron shook her head. "We'll work it all out like adults."

"So what's been going on here?" Andrew asked. "Other than the big party?"

"Not much," Saffron answered. "Oh- Frankie found out she's pregnant."

Andrew grinned. "That's great."

"Hannah's been a little quiet about it," Saffron said. "But other than that, it's been pretty non eventful."

"Have you heard anything from Hogwarts, yet?" Andrew asked.

"OH!" Saffron squealed. "I can't believe I forgot! I'm Head Girl!"

Andrew gave her another hug. "Saffy! That's great news! Congratulations!"

"I really, really want to rub it in Mary Ellen's face," Saffron said. "But I think my mum and Jules would kill me."

"You know she'll say something about it when you get back," Andrew said. "Probably how you only got it because of who your parents are..."

"But I still got it," Saffron said with a grin. "And she's stuck eating crow all year."

"That's my girl," Andrew said putting his arm around her.

Saffron hugged him again. "I'm so glad you're here Andrew. I thought about you ever since coming here."

Andrew smiled and held her close, enjoying the feeling of being with her again and having everything be okay. They hadn't had many fights in their relationship and this last one had been the worst. He really wanted to believe that she wanted things to change. "I love you, Saf."

"I love you too," Saffron said, her face buried in his shoulder.

"So you heard about Audrey?" Andrew asked a few moments later.

"Yes," Saffron nodded.

"She's a nice girl and RJ really seems to like her," Andrew said.

Saffron shrugged. "Good for him."

"Maybe someday down the road, we can go out," Andrew said.

"Way down the road," Saffron said. "Not anytime soon..."

"You know if we ever get married," Andrew said. "He'd be my best man."

"I don't want to talk about RJ right now," Saffron said. "Please..."

'"At least you didn't say that you'd never marry me," Andrew said tickling her side.

Saffron smiled. "I'd be crazy to say something like that."

"You could be Mrs. Wizard McDreamy," Andrew said tickling her again.

"Just what I always dreamed of," Saffron swatted his hand away. "Come on. Let's go for a walk."

Andrew nodded and stood up. "Okay."

"And we can be completely alone," Saffron said, looking at him meaningfully.

"You are so smart," Andrew said taking her hand.

"That's why you love me," Saffron said dryly.

"One of the many reasons," Andrew corrected.

They spent the rest of the afternoon catching up with each other about what had been going on in Brighton and the preseason things Andrew was involved with for the team. They also spent a fair amount of time snogging and making up for lost time.

By the time, they made it back to the beach house, guests were starting to arrive.

183. 183

More of the barbecue, as well as Audrey meeting the family. Also, for those of you who enjoy the Sims, expect an update as soon as the new version of SimPE comes out- which is what I use to package them up for you lot. Hope you enjoy!

"I'm starving," Saffron said. "Kissing you makes me work up an appetite."

"Your dad's over at the grill," Andrew said.

"Then we know the food's going to be good," Saffron said, leading him over.

"There's the Head Girl," Harry said smiling at his daughter.

Saffron grinned at him. "Are you making me a burger?"

"With extra cheese," Harry said. "Hello, Andrew. We're glad you could make it."

"Thank you sir," Andrew shook his hand. "I'm glad to be here."

Neville walked over with Cho. "I understand that congratulations are in order."

Saffron beamed at him. "Thanks, Uncle Neville."

"We're very proud of you, Saffy." Cho gave her a hug. "We knew you could do it."

"Thanks, Aunt Cho," Saffron said. "It was touch and go for awhile, but I'm glad I could pull it out."

"One step closer to being Minister?" Neville joked.

"No thanks," Saffron said with a grin. "I want to play Quidditch. It's all I've ever wanted to do."

"She certainly didn't get that from her mother," Harry said putting cheeseburgers on both Andrew and Saffron's plates. Andrew waved at someone who'd just walked through the front gate and Saffron followed his gaze. There was RJ walking in as if he owned the place with a pretty brunette.

Her eyes narrowed but she bit her tongue. She could dislike RJ all she wanted on the inside, but now that she'd just gotten Andrew back, she didn't want to push him away again.

RJ took Audrey's hand and led her over to where his parents were sitting.

"Mum, Dad." RJ smiled at his parents. "I want you both to meet Audrey."

"Audrey Marlowe," Audrey said extending her hand to Ron. "It's lovely to meet you both. RJ's told me so much about you."

"It's lovely to meet you as well," Ron said warmly.

Luna smiled at the young woman. "We're so glad you could make it."

"RJ's been telling me stories about his family," Audrey said with a grin. "So I decided to come check it out for myself."

"Only believe the good stuff," Ron said.

"UNCLE RJ!" Emma squealed running toward him.

"Em!" RJ scooped her up. "How's my favourite goddaughter?"

"I missed you soooooooooooooooooooo much!" Emma exclaimed throwing her arms around his neck.

"I missed you too," RJ kissed her cheek. "You remember Audrey, right?"

Emma nodded. "Hi, Odd!"

Audrey laughed. "It's nice to see you again, Emma."

"I'm gonna go play with Case, but Em be back, kay?" Emma asked clapping RJ's cheeks.

"Okay," RJ nodded, setting her down. "Did she just call you odd?" he asked Audrey.

"Probably hard to say Audrey," Audrey said watching as the little girl ran back over to her cousins.

"Why don't you introduce Audrey to the others?" Luna asked.

"I will," RJ took her hand. "Come on, let's make the rounds."

"Okay," Audrey said smiling at him.

He took her around, introducing her to Josh, Lizzy and the triplets before moving on to Drew and Darla.

"And this," RJ stopped in front of Maddie. "Is the sister that could probably tell you a life's worth of embarrassing stories about me, but since she's my favourite, she won't say a word. Mads, I want you to meet Audrey."

Maddie grinned. "He's such a flatterer. Hello, Audrey. It's really nice to meet you."

"You too," Audrey shook her hand. "RJ speaks quite highly of you, actually. Now I think I know why." she added with a grin.

"This is my husband, Ethan," Maddie said linking arms with her husband.

"Hello," Ethan said. "I'd shake your hand, but this plate is mine, and these two are my wife's."

Audrey laughed.

"We'd better get some food before it's all gone then," RJ said. "Come on, Audrey. I'll introduce you to my Uncle Harry."

"Okay," Audrey slipped her hand back into his. "Your family really is great, RJ."

"I'm glad you like them," RJ said grinning at her.

Alexa and Gabriel had just stepped outside on the porch and Alexa stopped when she saw RJ with the brunette girl.

"Come on," Gabriel hadn't noticed them yet. "The food's almost gone already."

"Um," Alexa hesitated. She wasn't so sure she wanted to get in the queue behind RJ and his new girlfriend. "Okay."

Gabriel squeezed her hand. "I'm starving."

She and Gabriel took their places in the queue behind Nick and Julie.

"And this is my Uncle Harry," Alexa could hear RJ saying to Audrey.

"Hello Audrey," Harry shook her hand. "I'm glad you came tonight to join us."

"Thank you for the invitation," Audrey replied. "You have a lovely beach house, Mr. Potter."

"Thank you," Harry said. "What can I get you from the grill?"

"Chicken would be great," Audrey replied. "Thank you."

Gabriel nudged his girlfriend. "Earth to Alexa....come in, Miss O'Leary."

"What?" Alexa asked. "Sorry... did you say something?"

"I asked if you wanted to sit with my dad and Lavender of if you wanted to sit with Andrew and Saf," Gabriel told her.

"Oh, I don't care." Alexa smiled at him. "You pick."

"Put all the pressure on me, then," Gabriel said. "Well, since I haven't seen them all day, how about we sit with my dad and Lav?"

"Sure," Alexa gave him a quick kiss. "That sounds good."

Audrey and RJ finished talking with Harry and Audrey spotted Andrew sitting at one of the picnic tables. "How about we sit with Andrew?"

"Um...." RJ looked at the brown haired girl sitting next to him. "That may not be such a good idea."

"Come on," Audrey said nudging him with her elbow. "We should at least say hello."

Before he could stop her, Audrey walked in Andrew and Saffron's direction.

"Hey Andrew," Audrey said. "How's it going?"

"Good," Andrew said smiling at her. "How was the drive up?"

"Gorgeous," Audrey replied. "I don't think I ever saw so much ocean!"

"I didn't realise you had a car," Saffron said not looking in RJ's direction.

"I borrowed one," RJ answered, surprised she was speaking to him. "Um... congrats on the Head Girl position."

"Thank you," Saffron said quietly.

"Audrey, this is my girlfriend, Saffy," Andrew said. "Saffy, this is Audrey Marlowe."

"Hi," Saffron offered the girl her hand.

Audrey shook it. "Nice to meet you, Saffy."

Saffron gave her a little smile and sat back down next to Andrew.

"We'll catch up with you later," RJ said. "Come on, Audrey. We can sit with Jon and Allie."

"Okay," Audrey answered. "Nice to meet you, Saffy and good to see you again, Andrew."

"Nice to meet you too," Saffron said.

"Thank you," Andrew said once Audrey and RJ were out of earshot. "I appreciate that."

Saffron shrugged. "I said I'd be nice."

He gave her a kiss. "And I appreciate you sticking to that."

"I expect to be rewarded for my good behaviour," Saffron said grabbing a crisp and stuffing it into his mouth.

"You will be," he answered. "Big time rewarded."

Saffron grinned. "I like the sound of that."

"Starting just as soon as dinner's over," Andrew leaned in.

"Eat fast," Saffron said before giving him a kiss.

"So we had to delay shooting for an hour," Seamus was telling his son, Alexa and Lavender.

"Because she wouldn't come out of her trailer?" Lavender asked with disdain. "I can't believe how high maintenance some people are!"

Seamus grinned. "Because you're not high maintenance at all, are you dear?"

"Absolutely not," Lavender said before taking a sip of her juice. "Absolutely not."

"So those seven suitcases you brought were because you're low maintenance?" Seamus continued to tease.

"Four of those had designs and fabrics that I brought from the States," Lavender said defensively.

"Okay," Seamus said, still grinning.

Lavender looked at Gabriel.

"No comment," Gabriel said with a grin.

"See," Lavender said pointedly. "Your son is smart. He knows when to keep his mouth closed."

"My son feels the same way," Seamus said. "He's just trying to be tactful."

"Again, no comment," Gabriel sat back and put his arm around his girlfriend.

Alexa laughed. "I'm going to get another drink. Does anyone want anything?"

"An iced tea would be fantastic," Lavender replied. "Thank you, Alexa."

"I'll be right back," Alexa said getting to her feet. She made her way over to the drinks table set up off to the side. She grabbed a soda for herself and was in the process of pouring Lavender some ice tea when to her dismay she saw RJ and Audrey heading in her direction.

She wondered if she should turn to try and avoid them but they were right next to her in a moment.

"Hiya, Lexie," RJ said giving her a slight smile.

"Hi," she said quietly. "Um... how are you?"

"I'm well," RJ said. "And how are you?"

"Good," Alexa nodded. "Just getting some refills."

Audrey smiled politely at her. "That's a really pretty blouse."

"Thank you," Alexa smoothed it down self consciously. She stuck her hand out. "I'm Alexa O'Leary. It's nice to meet you."

"Audrey Marlowe," Audrey shaking her hand. "Um, RJ, how about I get our drinks and you meet me back at the table?"

"Sure," RJ smiled at her. "Thanks Audrey."

Audrey grabbed a couple of sodas and headed back for their table.

Alexa looked down at the grass, unsure of what to say. This shouldn't bother her, but for some reason it did.

"How have you been?" RJ asked.

"I've been good," Alexa replied. "Just enjoying the holiday."

"I heard Saffron got Head Girl," RJ said. "Hope it doesn't go to her head."

Alexa smiled. "It's her first step to world domination, you know that."

"I'm probably in big trouble then," RJ joked.

Alexa laughed. "You always could make me laugh."

"Good to know I haven't lost my touch," RJ said with a grin. "I'm glad to see you're happy, Lex."

"Thanks," Alexa said softly. "I'm really glad you're happy too. She seems nice."

"She is," RJ looked over at Audrey, who was laughing at some story Allison was no doubt telling about Jon.

"Are you getting ready for your new season?" Alexa asked.

"We start up again in a few weeks," RJ nodded. "Thank goodness I'm not the rookie this year. Don't think I could handle that again."

"You'll go easy on the rookies though since you know what it was like, right?" Alexa asked. "Um...wait, no, you won't. You'll be brutal..."

"I hope I wouldn't be as bad as Scanlon," RJ said ruefully.

"You're nowhere near as bad as he was," Alexa said smiling at him. "You're one of the good guys."

"Now I am," RJ said. "Last year around this time, I'm not so sure I was."

"You got lost, but you found your way back," Alexa said.

RJ nodded. He looked back towards Gabriel. "He's treating you okay?"

Alexa smiled. "Yes, he is. He's one of the good ones, too."

"I'm glad," RJ said. "He's lucky."

"I should get back," Alexa said. "I'm sure you want to get back to Audrey."

"Yeah," RJ nodded. "I should."

"I'll see you later," Alexa said smiling at him before heading back to her table.

"Sorry that took so long," Alexa handed Lavender the iced tea.

"Everything okay?" Gabriel asked her.

Alexa nodded and slid back in next to him. "Just fine," she smiled at him before giving him a chaste kiss.

RJ sat back down beside Audrey, who smiled at him. "So, what's this hear about you being a fairy?"

He groaned. "Jon, dammit..."

"I think it's cute," Audrey reassured him.

"Does nothing for my ego," RJ glared at his older brother.

"She asked for me to tell her a funny story about you when you were a kid," Jon said defensively.

"She pulled it out of him, RJ," Allison said.

RJ shook his head. "Suddenly I think I need a beer."

"Oh get over yourself," Audrey said nudging him. "We all have those embarrassing things in our past. When you meet my mum and dad they'll tell you some things about me and we'll be even."

"Oh and I'll be writing them down," RJ teased. "Publish a bloody novel on you."

Jon put an arm around his wife. "We grew up together so we pretty much saw each other's humiliations."

"You never wanted to take a bath," Allison remembered. "Least of all with me."

RJ smirked at his brother. "Imagine that..."

"Thanks, Al," Jon said dryly.

"Your menu continues to be a hit, Allie," Audrey said. "Vic's thrilled."

"I'm glad," Allison said. "I have a few new recipes to share with her when we go back."

"I think I've sampled everything on there at least once," RJ said.

"Once in RJ speak means about ten times." Jon explained to Audrey.

"So I've learned," Audrey said.

RJ sat back his arm along the bench and Audrey leaned against him. He liked how well she fit next to him. In fact, the more he got to know this girl and the more he saw of her, the more he wanted to date her.

Maddie also noticed how much happier her younger brother looked. She was keeping an eye on the triplets with Ethan while Lizzy and Josh ate.

"Aidan, will you dance with your Aunt Maddie?" Maddie asked the little boy who shook his head.

"Please?" Maddie pleaded dramatically.

"No Mad," Aidan said.

Maddie pouted at him. "Pretty, pretty please, Aidan?"

"Me!" Casey exclaimed. "Me dance!"

"Oh, I'll just go dance with Casey then," Maddie pinched Aidan's cheek.

"The boys and I will do manly things," Ethan said sitting down on the grass with the two boys.

"E!" Noah waved to him. "Play here!"

Ethan moved over beside Noah. "Okay, Noah. What are we going to play with? The trucks?"

Noah nodded. "Vroom!"

Ethan chuckled. "What do you say you get a truck, I get a truck and Aidan gets a truck and we race them?"

"Race!" Noah shouted happily.

"All right then," Ethan gathered up a few of the toy trucks. "Come on over here Aidan!"

Maddie looked at Casey. "Why must boys always race, Casey?"

"Don't know?" Casey said innocently.

Maddie kissed Casey's cheek. "How about I show you mine and Ethan's dance?"

"Kay, Mad." Casey giggled.

Maddie took Casey's arm and held it out with hers. "Okay, we're going to move really fast and at the count of three, you say 'Cha-Cha-Cha'. Do you think you can do that?"

"Cha- cha..." Casey echoed.

"Good," Maddie said grinning at her. "Okay...here we go..."

She set off across the yard with Casey in her arms. "One...two...three...."

"Cha- cha!" Casey sang happily. "Cha- cha!"

Maddie giggled. "Okay...we're going to go in the other direction...."

Casey was laughing. "Mad dance good!"

"One...two...three...." Maddie said moving with the toddler across the grass toward Ethan and the boys again. "Sing it, Casey!"

"Cha- Cha!" Casey was laughing uncontrollably.

"Shall we sit down?" Maddie asked already knowing Casey would want to go again.

"No!" Casey said. "Cha-cha Mad!"

"Okay," Maddie said. "Once more with feeling!"

Ethan grinned as he looked up from the race to watch his wife. It had taken him by surprise when she'd voiced her desire to have children now, but he knew she'd make a wonderful mother. And as long as they were doing it together, he knew he'd be fine.

Saffron spotted Sean walking into the yard and she excused herself from Andrew to say hello to him.

"Glad you made it," she said. "There's still a little food left."

"Thanks," Sean said giving her a hug. "How are you holding up?"

"Great," Saffron said. "Andrew's here."

"You made up then?" Sean asked.

Saffron nodded. "We did." she couldn't contain her smile. "Plus I got Head Girl!"

Sean grinned. "Saffy! Congratulations!"

"Thanks," Saffron gave him another hug.

"I don't want to intrude on your reunion," Sean said.

"It's okay," Saffron said. "You shouldn't miss it when my dad grills."

"I'll grab something and catch up to you," Sean said grinning at her.

"Alright," Saffron smiled back. "I'm just over there."

Someone turned on some music and Saffron smiled when she saw some of her family and friends getting up to dance. She felt so happy tonight. It was as if everything had finally come together and nothing in the world could go wrong.

"Hey you," Andrew came up behind her. "Why don't we show them a few moves?"

"I thought you'd never ask," Saffron said taking his hand.

"I'm just glad it's a slow song," he said pulling her close. "Gives me a chance to hold you like this."

Saffron rested her head on his shoulder. "I missed this."

"I did too," he said softly. "I love you, Saf. I can see myself spending the rest of my life with you."

Saffron smiled up at him. "You can?"

"Yeah," he looked at her. "I can..."

"I want that too," Saffron said happily. "Starting a family someday..."

"Maybe once you get out of school, we can talk about this," Andrew said softly.

"I wish I was out of school now," Saffron said giving him a kiss.

"One more year," Andrew touched his forehead to hers. "Then we can be together all the time."

"I can't wait," Saffron said softly.

"Me either," Andrew kissed her again. "Let's sneak away for that walk in a little bit..."

Saffron smiled. "Okay, but we should hang out with Sean for a bit. I don't want him to feel left out."

"Sure," Andrew nodded. "Where is he?"

"Sitting at our table," Saffron said. "Come on."

"Right," Andrew squeezed her hand.

"Ron!" Harry called out. "Do you mind taking over at the grill while I dance with my wife?"

"I suppose I could," Ron answered. "Gives me first dibs on everything."

"There's not much left," Harry said. "But you can have at it."

"There's some ribs here," Ron rubbed his hands together. "I'll take those."

Harry shook his head and took off to find his wife.

"Hello gorgeous," he said in a low voice when he found her. "Fancy a spin around the deck with your dashing husband?"

"Some people might say we're too old for that," Hermione said hiding a grin.

"Old," Harry scoffed. "I'll only be old when I'm in the ground."

Hermione smiled at him. "Let's dance then."

"Let's stay right here," he said. "Quieter... and I can kiss you like we're twenty all over again."

Hermione put her arms around his neck. "I like that idea."

The evening progressed very nicely without much incident. Josh and Jon announced they'd be setting off fireworks in a bit and the younger kids gathered around a small fire that Ron had started.

Alexa smiled at her best friend. She was so happy for her that she and Andrew had reunited.

Saffron grinned back. "It's been a good night," she moved over next to her.

"Especially for you," Alexa said. "I knew you and Andrew would work through this."

"I promised to be nice to RJ," Saffron said. "And... don’t' tell anyone this, but it's not as hard as I thought."

"I'm glad," Alexa said chancing a look over her shoulder at RJ and Audrey who were talking with Ron and Luna. Alexa felt a stab of jealousy when she saw him put an arm around the other girl.

Saffron followed her glance. "She's nice," she offered.

"Yeah," Alexa said. "I'm going to go inside and get a jumper. Do you want one, too? It's a little chilly."

"Sure," Saffron nodded. "Thanks Lexie."

"I'll be right back," Alexa said excusing herself.

Saffron moved back next to her boyfriend.

"Where'd you go?" Andrew asked, putting his arm around her.

"To talk to Lex," Saffron said. "She's gone to get us jumpers since it's a little cool out here since the sun went down."

"I'll warm you up," Andrew pulled her closer. "Better than any jumper could."

"I thought you might be able to," Saffron said closing her eyes as they snuggled.

Meanwhile, Sean had ambled over to where Audrey was sitting. RJ had gone to get them some marshmallows to roast on the fire. "Hi," he said. "I'm Sean Grant."

"Hi," Audrey said shaking his hand. "Audrey Marlowe."

"First time at one of these?" Sean asked.

Audrey nodded. "Yes and I'm hoping there's not a quiz at the end of the night. There's so many people."

Sean laughed. "What's even crazier is they're all related in some way."

"RJ was telling me that the families have been friends for years," Audrey said.

Sean nodded. "Saffron's parents own this place- usually RJ's mum and dad are around as well, but this year they just showed up for the weekend."

"You sound as if you know them all pretty well," Audrey commented.

"I used to date Saffron," Sean told her. "Just for a summer... but we've stayed friends and I see her every year here."

"Oh," Audrey said smiling at him. "That's great that you can still be friends."

Sean nodded. "And it didn't even take me long to get over the magic thing- my cousin used to go to the same school as them."

If Audrey heard the part about magic, she didn't let on. "But you didn't go to school with them?"

"No," Sean shook his head. "I'm what they call a Muggle."

"A what?" Audrey asked.

"Muggle," Sean said. "You know, us non magic people."

Audrey raised an eyebrow at him. "Non-magic people?"

Sean nodded. "No one told you?"

"Told me what?" Audrey asked.

"Everyone here, except for Gabriel, is magical," Sean said. "You know---witches and wizards? Spells and all that?"

"Really..." Audrey said slowly.

"Yeah..." Sean clamped his mouth shut. "I have the feeling I just said something I shouldn't have."

Audrey wondered if perhaps Sean had been drinking something. Things like that didn't exist except in movies and on the television and in story books.

"I'm sorry," Sean stood up. "I thought RJ told you..."

Audrey still thought he must have been drinking, but she saw something off in the distance that made her stop in her tracks. She saw RJ's father disappear. One moment he was standing by the grill and the next thing she knew he appeared right behind Luna who was all the way on the other end of the yard.

She thought Luna might scream or something but she only laughed and swatted Ron on the shoulder.

"There you are," RJ said, coming up behind her. "Got you a drink."

"Get away from me," Audrey said backing away.

"What?" RJ asked in confusion. "Audrey--"

"What are you?" Audrey demanded.

"What am I?" he shook his head. "I don't understand--"

Audrey just shook her head and headed for the front of the house. She wanted to get as far away from him as possible.

"Wait a minute," RJ followed her "Audrey, what's going on?"

"You tell me," Audrey said quickening her step. She wondered if she could catch a train back to London.

"I don't know," RJ said in exasperation.

"M-magic?" Audrey stammered.

RJ sighed. "I was going to tell you--"

"When?" Audrey asked. "You know what? It doesn't matter. We've been seeing each other for some time now. You had plenty of time to tell me your little secret, but instead you bring me here and----"

"I was going to tell you on our way back," RJ reached for her hand. "Audrey, please--"

"LET GO OF ME!" Audrey exclaimed. "I never want to see you again!"

"You can't go back by yourself," he protested. "Please let me explain here."

She shook her head. "You think I'd go anywhere with you? There's---there's no telling what you'd do!"

"Magic isn't a bad thing!" he exclaimed. "We do a lot of good with it. If you'll just let me tell you about it--"

"Like you were going to tell me about it when we started seeing each other?" Audrey asked.

"I swear, I was going to tell you tonight when we drove back." RJ pleaded. "Audrey don't leave..."

She shook her head, tears in her eyes. "Everyone in there is magical?"

"Everyone but Sean," he admitted. “And Gabriel…”

"Jon, Allie---they all lied," Audrey said quietly.

"No one lied," RJ said. "Not even Vic knows about Jon having magical abilities... and I asked them all to let me tell you."

Audrey spotted Sean walking by. She figured she could trust him if he wasn't magical. "Sean? Can you please give me a ride to the train station?"

"What?" Sean asked. "Um... sure...."

"Audrey---" RJ said. "I can take you there---"

"Leave me alone," Audrey said coldly, walking away with Sean.

"Damn it!" RJ cursed kicking the fencepost with his foot. How had she found out?

He could only think of one person that hated him enough to try and wreck his relationship.

RJ headed toward the backyard, nearly colliding with Maddie. "RJ, what's going on?"

"Saffron," RJ snapped. "She told Audrey about magic, and she just left!"

"What?" Maddie asked taken aback. "RJ---"

"She's the only person who would have told," RJ said angrily.

"RJ, wait!" Maddie called after him, but he'd already spotted the brunette.

Saffron was laughing when RJ stormed up. "Having a go at me?" he spat.

"What are you talking about?" Saffron asked, the smile falling from her face.

"You told Audrey about magic and she left," RJ yelled. "Happy now?"

Saffron laughed. "RJ, believe it or not, the world doesn't revolve around you. I haven't spoken to your girlfriend since you introduced us..."

"Why would I believe anything you say?" RJ asked, his arms crossed.

"Hey, mate," Andrew said joining them. "What's going on?"

"Ask your bloody girlfriend," RJ replied tersely.

"Saffy?" Andrew asked.

Saffron shrugged. "RJ's pissed because he thinks I told his girlfriend that we're all magical."

"I don't think," RJ glared at her. "I know you did. You're the only one here who would rat me out, Saf."

Andrew looked back and forth between his girlfriend and best friend. "Saffron- you wouldn't do that, would you?"

Saffron stared in disbelief at Andrew. "You can't honestly think I would do something like that, Andrew!"

He didn't want to believe that, but RJ was positively seething.

"Andrew?" Saffron asked.

"I don't know," he said uncertainly. "You were gone earlier for a little while..."

Saffron looked at him as if he'd slapped her. No matter what she felt toward RJ, she wouldn't have done something like that to him. A crowd was now gathering around them and everyone seemed to be looking at her with suspicion. "Andrew, come on. You know me."

"I thought I did too," RJ snapped. "At one point."

"I might not like you, RJ, but I promised I'd be civil to you and I kept that promise," Saffron said glaring at them. "But it's nice to know you believe the worst of me!"

"How can I not when you've only shown me the worst," RJ crossed his arms.

"Who else would have told her?" Andrew asked, trying to keep a reasonable amount sanity in the conversation.

"I didn't bloody tell her!" Saffron exclaimed. "But it doesn't matter what I say, does it? You're going to believe what you want to. I'm going inside."

She stormed through everyone and slammed the door behind her. Andrew followed. "Saffy--"

184. 184

We hope you guys enjoy this chapter, although we think a lot of you won’t :( But just have faith in us that we’ll make this up to you!

"Leave me alone, Andrew," Saffron said not turning around.

"No," Andrew replied. "I want to know why you'd do something like this. Everything was going fine until you disappeared for awhile. You said you were talking to Alexa, but you were really off ruining RJ's chances for another relationship."

Saffron turned and gaped at him. "Andrew, for the last time, I didn't say anything to Audrey."

"You were gone right before she ran off," Andrew shook his head. "It's a bit of a coincidence, don't you think?"

"You're supposed to believe in me," Saffron told him. "We've always been able to trust each other, Andrew. If you don't believe in me now---"

"I don't know how I can," Andrew answered, disappointed in her. "I really thought you were ready to let this go, but I was wrong."

"I love you," Saffron said. "I gave you my word. You think I'd jeopardise our relationship over this?"

"You have before," Andrew pointed out.

Saffron couldn't believe this. She'd been civil to RJ all evening. She'd even been nice to Audrey. What more did they want from her?

"I didn't do this, Andrew," Saffron said. "But, you're not going to believe me, are you?"

"I want to," Andrew replied.

"That's rubbish," Saffron said angrily. "You think I did this."

"All right fine," Andrew said. "You've been after RJ for months now, and this was the final nail in the coffin, wasn't it?"

"After RJ for months?" Saffron asked incredulously. "After him for months? I cannot stand him Andrew, but I wouldn't deliberately sabotage his relationship with Audrey."

Andrew shook his head. "I should go."

"Go then," Saffron said glaring at him. "I don't want to be with someone who thinks I'm capable of something like that!"

Andrew nodded. "Right." he said coolly.

Saffron slammed the door after him. She'd never been this angry at him. He didn't believe her. He didn't believe in her.

"Saffy?" Hermione appeared in the doorway. "Mind explaining to me what's going on here?"

"Someone blabbed to Audrey about all of us being magical and Andrew and RJ both think it was me," Saffron replied. She looked pleadingly at her mother. Someone had to know that she wasn't capable of this. "I didn't do it, Mum. I swear."

Hermione gazed at her youngest daughter. "I believe you sweetheart. You don't lie to me."

Saffron hugged her mother. "I'd never lie to you, Mum."

"I wish I could say the same for everyone," Hermione kissed the top of her head. "Unfortunately a lot of people out there think you told Audrey about magic. Your father's talking about doing a memory modification spell."

"It means enough to me that you believe me," Saffron said still hugging her mother. "I--I really tried to make an effort tonight."

"I know you did baby," Hermione said. "I saw you talking to them."

"Andrew didn't believe me, Mum," Saffron said. "It's over. It's really over this time."

"I'm so sorry sweetheart," Hermione hugged her daughter again.

"Jules and Ethan, they believe me, don't they?" Saffron asked hopefully.

"I'm sure they do," Hermione nodded. "Saffy, I know deep down you're not a mean girl."

Saffron didn't want to go back outside. She asked her mother if they could stay in here until everyone else left and Hermione sat down with her on the sofa, stroking her daughter's hair and patting her back as Saffron cried.

Outside everyone seemed to be talking about what had happened. Alexa had seen her best friend trying to be civil with RJ and she couldn't believe that Saffron would do something like this.

"I should check on her," Alexa said to Gabriel.

Gabriel nodded. "You don't think she told Audrey, do you?"

"No," Alexa shook her head. "I don't think for a moment that she would stoop that low."

Gabriel reached for her hand. "Let's go and see how she's doing then."

Alexa smiled at him gratefully. "Thanks Gabe."

They found Saffron and Hermione in the sitting room.

"Saffy?" Alexa asked.

"Yeah?" Saffron wiped her eyes.

"How are you holding up?" Alexa asked gently.

"Andrew didn't believe me," Saffron said brokenly.

Alexa had gathered as much given how Andrew had stalked out of the beach house.

"I believe you," Alexa said sitting down on the edge of the sofa.

"You do?" Saffron asked hopefully.

"You're not vindictive," Alexa said putting a hand on her friend's shoulder. "It's not your nature."

"Thanks Lex," Saffron hugged her friend.

"How about I make us some tea?" Hermione asked.

"Thanks," Saffron nodded. She looked over at Alexa. "Does anyone know who told her?"

Alexa shook her head. "No."

"So everyone thinks I did," Saffron sniffled.

"Not everyone," Gabriel said.

Outside, RJ had just taken off for the train station to try and head off Sean and Audrey. Ethan looked over at his older sister. "Saffy may not get along with RJ but I don't think she'd go this far." he said in a low voice.

"Me either," Julie said. "But try telling that to Ron..."

Ethan looked over with dismay at his father in law. "What a bloody mess..."

Julie spotted Luna off to the side and she approached her. "Aunt Luna? You know that Saffron wouldn't have done something like this...'

Luna sighed. "I would hope not. I always wished she and RJ could patch things up, but I don't want to believe Saffron could do this."

"You've known her since she was a baby," Julie said. "Saffron was angry at him, but she wouldn't have done something like this. My little sister can hold a grudge, but she's not vindictive."

Julie figured she must have looked pleading for Luna's expression softened. "I know that Jules," she put an arm around the younger woman. "I just wish we knew what really went on just now."

Ethan was thinking the same thing and he saw that the discussion between Harry and Ron was starting to get quite heated.

"If your daughter would have kept her big mouth shut," Ron was saying.

"And you'd better keep yours shut too," Harry said darkly. "You're her godfather, Ron. I would think you'd have a little more faith in my daughter."

"Who else would have told her?" Ron retorted.

"I don't know," Harry's hands were clenched. "But it wasn't Saffron. If she says she didn't do it, then she didn't."

"She and RJ haven't gotten on for quite some time," Ron argued. "Look, I just---"

"You just need to keep your accusations to yourself," Harry's eyes were snapping fire.

"I'm sorry," Ron said in a slightly calmer tone.

"I'll find out what's going on," Harry told him, also calming down. "We'll figure it out."

Luna had heard their argument and she hoped that what Harry said was true. She could still remember all the summers they'd spent here when RJ and Saffron were children.

Ethan went back over to sit by his wife. "Mads? You all right?"

"She didn't tell," Maddie said absently, her eyes fixed on something faraway.

"Did you see something?" Ethan asked touching her arm. "Mads?"

"She didn't tell," Maddie focused on her husband. "Someone else did... and it was an accident. They didn't mean to cause any harm."

"Maybe you can tell that to RJ when he calms down," Ethan said thoughtfully.

"But I don't know who did it," Maddie gazed up at him.

"At least he'd know it wasn't Saffy," Ethan said.

Maddie nodded. "I'll try and talk to him. He usually listens to me."

"I want to go and check on her," Ethan said giving his wife a kiss on the cheek. "I'll be back."

He found his baby sister in the sitting room flanked by Alexa and Hermione. "You all right, Saf?"

Saffron looked hopefully at him. "You believe me?"

"Of course I do," Ethan sat down across from her. "Maddie just had a little vision or something- she doesn't know who told but she knows it wasn't you."

Saffron gave him a slight smile. It was enough that they believed her, but she didn't think it would do any good. The truth was that when it really mattered, Andrew hadn't taken her side. He hadn't trusted in her.

"It'll be okay," Ethan said. "I promise, Saf."

"Thanks, Ethan," Saffron said hugging him.

"You're still a brat," he said affectionately. "But I love you Saf."

"I love you too," Saffron said. She couldn't believe how much things had changed in the span of a few hours.

She couldn't get her mind off Andrew. The way he had followed her in here and accused her bothered her to no end.

The more she thought about it, the angrier she became.

If he couldn't take the time to hear her out, then she was through with him, this time for good.

*** *** ***

After the events of the evening, Allison had hoped to retire a bit early, but Adam had other ideas. He kept her up until nearly half past eleven, first wanting to be fed, then crawling around the room.

"Come on you," Allison yawned. "You can't have this much energy all the time..."

She picked him up before he reached the door and she cradled him in her arms. "Who's Mummy's good boy?"

"Oooooh," Adam puckered his little lips.

Allison laughed. "Okay, how about we sit down in the rocking chair and I'll tell you a story?"

Adam reached for her and patted the side of her face.

Allison smiled and gently sat down with him on the rocking chair. "Let's see...how about I tell you about the time when I found out that I was going to have your sister, Caroline?"

Adam looked up at her with wide eyes.

"Okay," Allison said softly. "Well, your daddy and I were living in a small flat over your Great Uncle Fred and Great Uncle George's shop..."

Allison had not been feeling well for the past couple of weeks and had assumed it was the flu. She wanted to prove to her parents that she and Jon could handle anything that came their way without any assistance.

She was working full-time at a small book shop in London and Jon was working part-time at the Weasley's Wizard Wheezes while also teaching flying..

But because she wasn't feeling well, Allison's boss had taken pity on her and told her to go home for the day.

Allison trudged back towards their small flat, wishing she could figure out what was wrong with her. She hated taking time off work- it was money that they needed desperately.

She pushed open the door to the shop and sighed when she remembered today was a Hogsmeade weekend. The shop was packed and Allison wished she'd gone through the back alley to get home.

"Hey, lady!" a surly looking boy exclaimed when Allison tried to get past him. "You have to get in the queue like the rest of us!"

"Relax," Allison glared at the boy. "I'm not buying."

Jon spotted his wife and he came out behind the counter. "Al? What are you doing home so soon? I thought your shift didn't end until four?"

Allison just shook her head. "I'm going upstairs."

Jon put his hand on her shoulder. "You're still not feeling well?"

"No," she said quietly. "I want to go lie down."

"I'll help you get settled," Jon said kissing her cheek. "Come on."

Allison managed a grateful smile at her husband. "Thanks."

Jon called out to his Uncle Fred that he'd just be a few minutes.

"The wizard flu is going around," Jon said as they entered the back part of the shop.

"So I've heard," Allison said, climbing the stairs.

Jon unlocked the door. "Do you want to lie down in bed or on the sofa?"

"Bed," Allison answered. "Just after I use the loo..."

"Al?" Jon asked, concern all over his face as his wife hurried for the bathroom.

She managed to make it just inside before letting the contents of her stomach loose.

Jon came in with a glass of ice water and handed it to her. He'd never seen her this pale or this sick. Well, not since they were kids.

"I'm sorry," Allison mumbled as she sat back.

"No need to apologise," Jon said flushing the toilet. "I hate seeing you feel bad."

"It'll pass," Allison rinsed out her mouth then took a tentative sip of the water.

Jon took the glass from her and gingerly helped her into their bedroom. "I'll get your pyjamas, love."

"Thank you," Allison sat down on the bed and peeled off her jumper. "Jon?"

"Yeah?" Jon asked, pulling out a pair of pyjamas from the dresser.

She decided to voice a thought that had been floating around in her head for a few days. "What if I'm pregnant?"

"Pregnant?" Jon asked turning around. "Al?"

"I don't know," she said quickly. "But some of the signs are there."

Jon dropped the pyjamas and sat down beside her. "You think you could be?"

"Maybe," she shrugged. "I mean... I've been sick- mostly in the mornings, and I skipped my period last month. I thought it was just due to stress and everything going on but..."

Jon put his arm around her. "I know things have been tough..."

"I don't care about any of that," Allison leaned against him. "It's all worth it to be married to you."

Jon kissed the side of her head. "You deserve better and someday, I'll give it to you."

"I have the best," Allison replied. "Jon... we might be having a baby."

Jon looked at her flat stomach. "So there might be a baby in there?"

"Maybe," she said with a small smile. "It'd at least be worth being this sick."

"I could get one of those Muggle tests," Jon said. "So we'd know for sure."

"Okay," Allison said. "If we are going to have a baby, we're going to have to figure a lot of things out."

"Such as finding a bigger place," Jon said thoughtfully. "This place is barely big enough for the two of us."

Allison nodded. "I'm a little scared, Jon."

"I'm bloody terrified," Jon admitted.

"We'll get it together though," Allison said.

"Too right we will," Jon said picking up her pyjamas and helped her get changed. "Let's get you in bed."

Allison nodded. "And you'll go today for the test?"

"I'll go right now," Jon promised.

"Thank you," Allison kissed his cheek.

"Get some rest," Jon said. "I'll just go ahead and take my lunch. Uncle Fred'll understand."

"Okay," Allison laid back on the bed. "I love you."

"I love you," Jon said smiling reassuringly at her before leaving the flat. He hurried downstairs.

"About bloody time," Fred grumbled. "Come on, mate. You need to help me---"

"I need to take my lunch," Jon interrupted. "It's kind of an emergency."

"There's nearly a hundred kids in here," Fred said. "Jonathan..."

"I'll be back in ten minutes," Jon promised.

Fred shook his head as his nephew hurried out of the shop.

True to his word, Jon was barely gone those ten minutes. He ran the test upstairs to his wife before hurrying back down, making Allison promise to get him the moment she found out.

Allison followed the instructions on the pamphlet and then waited the required amount of time, which seemed to be an eternity.

She didn't know what she wished the outcome to be. Having a baby would be wonderful, but Allison wasn't sure they were ready for that yet. Financially, they were definitely not ready.

They'd been married for nearly four years now and they'd been saving up to eventually get a bigger place, but they were still far off from being able to afford something nice. Allison jumped when the timer went off. She was about to find out if she was....if she and Jon were going to be parents.

She was about to reach for the stick when she heard footsteps pounding up the stairs. "Al?"

"In the loo," Allison called out. "Come in here."

"Anything yet?" Jon asked anxiously

"I was about to check," Allison said reaching for his hand. "Are we ready for this?"

He squeezed her hand. "We'll make ourselves ready."

Allison looked at him. "Okay, if the stick is blue, we're pregnant."

Jon nodded, gulping nervously.

Allison picked up the stick and felt tears welling up in her eyes. "Oh my God.."

"You're pregnant," Jon said hoarsely. "Al..."

Allison set the stick aside and looked at her husband, who seemed to be as shell-shocked as she. "Jon..."

"We're going to be parents," Jon was still staring at the stick.

Allison touched her flat stomach. There was a baby in there----their baby was growing inside her at this very minute.

Jon reached for his wife. "Al... I love you so much."

"I love you too," Allison said hugging him. "We're going to have a baby."

Jon laughed. "We're going to have a baby. And we're going to make this all work, Allie."

Allison smiled up at him. "We will and we'll find a nice little place to start our family. I'll put in extra hours at the shop."

"So will I," Jon replied. "As many as I can possibly work- and we'll start looking for a new place soon. I want to live in London so you don't have to go so far to work."

Allison smiled. "And we'll have to think up names."

"I hope it's a little girl," Jon replied. "She'll look just like you."

"But with red hair, I imagine," Allison said. "Oh...what if it's twins? They do run in your family..."

"I don't know if we're ready for twins," Jon wrapped his arms around her again.

"We should probably see how we do with one," Allison said giving him a kiss.

Jon cupped her face in his hands. "I can't wait to tell everyone."

"Me too," Allison said. "And hopefully Daddy will take the news well since you and he seem to be getting along much better these days."

Jon nodded. "I think he'll be excited about a grandchild, don't you?"

"To spoil completely rotten," Allison said. "But don't you have to get back to work?"

"Unfortunately," Jon answered. "I just want to stay up here with you and celebrate."

"My stomach's still a little unsettled," Allison said. "Can you lie down with me for bit?"

Jon nodded. "Of course."

"You know," Allison said as he helped her into bed. "I've always liked the name Caroline."

Jon smiled as he laid down next to her. "Caroline Weasley..."

"You like it too?" Allison asked. "I mean, assuming it's a girl?"

"Yeah," Jon nodded. "I love it."

Allison rested her head on his chest. "I'm scared, but I'm so happy. Does that make any sense?"

"It's the exact same way I feel right now," Jon kissed the top of her head.

"You're going to be a great father," Allison said softly.

"And you're going to be the best mum," Jon ran his hand through her hair.

"I wonder how far along I am," Allison said thoughtfully.

"Can't be more than a few months," Jon commented.

"I bet I know when she was conceived," Allison said grinning at him.

Jon laughed. "Oh yeah?"

Allison nodded. "Do you remember that night about two months ago when we came back after having dinner with your parents?"

Jon grinned. "I remember that very well..."

"You couldn't keep your hands off of me that night," Allison recalled.

"Make that about every night," Jon said softly.

"Well particularly that night," Allison said giggling. "You tried to have your way with me in your parents' closet!"

Jon laughed. "Oh yeah..."

Allison tickled his side. "At least we can tell our little girl or little boy that they weren't conceived in a closet."

Jon laughed. "No... just right here in our bed." he gave her a kiss. "I wish I didn't have to get back downstairs but I do."

"I'm going to get some rest," Allison said. "And when you're finished, perhaps we can tell our folks."

"Tonight," Jon nodded as he gave her a kiss. "You take a nice, long kip."

"I will," Allison said. "Me and the baby."

Jon grinned at her. "I love you Al."

"I love you too," Allison said closing her eyes.

Allison looked down at Adam who looked as if he was about to fall asleep. "And about seven months later, your big sister Caroline arrived."

Adam smacked his lips and reached for Allison's long hair as he blinked sleepily.

"Let's get you in your crib," Allison said gingerly standing up.

"Mmmm..." Adam mumbled.

She kissed him on the forehead before setting him down in the crib. She wound up the mobile and listened to the lullaby that it played before turning out the lights and leaving the nursery.

Jon was waiting up in bed for his wife. "Everything all right?"

Allison nodded. "I finally put him down. He was full of energy tonight."

Jon smiled. "Get on in here."

Allison slid in beside him. "How are the girls? Did you have any trouble with them?"

"Nah," Jon answered. "They were actually pretty worried about Saffron."

"Me too," Allison admitted. "I hope she and RJ and Andrew can sort all of this out."

"I feel sort of bad," Jon said. "I mean, we were all really quick to blame her for telling Audrey. I'm sort of worried she's going to say something to Vic."

"You think she would?" Allison asked.

"I'm not sure," Jon shook his head.

"Vic wouldn't be upset," Allison said. "She's pretty open-minded."

"I hope not," Jon said. "I was thinking of telling her anyway."

Allison cuddled up close to him. "Might be a good idea."

He wrapped his arms around her. "I've missed just lying with you like this."

"Me too," Allison said softly.

"We haven't had much of a chance to be by ourselves since Adam was born," Jon said.

Allison kissed him. "We're alone now..."

"That we are," he said, pulling her over on top of him. "I'm alone with the most gorgeous woman in the world."

Allison smiled down at him. "You're delusional."

"Am not," Jon retorted playfully.

"Are too," Allison countered. "But when you say it, I feel like I am."

"That's because I mean it," Jon tucked her hair behind her ear. "You're still my Allie."

"Always," Allison said smiling down at him. "Always your Allie."

*** *** ***

The next morning after Audrey's departure, Sean had come over and apologised for telling her about magic. Since it had been an accident, Saffron knew she couldn't be angry at her ex boyfriend- he had not meant any harm.

"I feel bad though," he was saying. "That you and Andrew fought over this."

"You shouldn't," Saffron said sincerely. "The truth is, Andrew and I have been having problems with this for awhile now."

"Yeah but--" Sean started.

Saffron shook her head. "It's not your fault, Sean. Everyone that I care about believed in me, except for him. My mum, my dad, my brother and sister, Alexa, Gabe..."

"I really am sorry," Sean said contritely. "I really didn't mean to ruin everyone's night."

"It's okay," Saffron reassured him. "Don't worry about it."

"Are you all right?" he asked her.

Saffron shrugged. "I'm getting by."

He gave her a hug. "If anyone could survive, it's you, Saf."

"Thanks, Sean," Saffron said. Everyone else had gone out on the beach, but she hadn't felt like it.

"I have to get home," Sean said. "My dad wants me to go into town with them for the day. But I just wanted to tell you..."

"No more telling me you're sorry," Saffron cut him off by wagging her finger at him. "I mean it, Sean."

He smiled at her. "I'll come by later, if you want me to."

"That'd be nice," Saffron said walking him to the door.

"Really?" he asked. "You mean it?"

"I warn you that I might not be great company," Saffron said.

"I'll bring you some ice cream." Sean promised. "I know that makes you smile."

Saffron offered him a slight smile. "You're a good friend, Sean."

"Yeah well I owe you one," Sean said. "I'll see you later, Saffy."

Saffron closed the door behind him and thought about doing some cleaning to keep her mind off of Andrew. It still stung to think about him.

Puddles came loping towards her, carrying his leash in his mouth.

"Hey baby," Saffron said leaning over. "Are you wanting to go for a walk then?"

Puddles turned around excitedly in circles and stared up at her with his big eyes, his tail wagging back and forth.

Saffron smiled and took his leash, clipping it on his collar. "Okay, then. Let's go."

She felt a little better as she headed off down the beach with Puddles leading the way.

It was another beautiful day at Brighton and Saffron wanted to enjoy the last few days of her holiday. But, it didn't seem possible.

She neared the spot where her family had spread out and Puddles made a beeline for her mother. "Wait!" Saffron said as she was yanked forward.

Hermione was glad to see her daughter out of the house and she couldn't help smiling as Puddles pulled her daughter along.

"Come here, Puddles," Hermione said clapping her hands.

Puddles ran over to her, his tongue hanging out as he licked her face eagerly.

"I don't think he liked being cooped up with me inside," Saffron said.

"It's good to see you out here, sweetheart." Hermione patted the empty space beside her.

Saffron sat down. "Puddles wanted to go for a walk. I can't say no to him."

"Just like we can never say no to you?" Hermione affectionately tugged one of her daughter's plaits. "What's up?"

"Sean was the one," Saffron said before relating the story for her mother. "He didn't mean anything by it, of course. He thought she already knew what RJ was."

"That was good of him to come and tell you," Hermione replied.

Saffron nodded and looked down the beach. "Yeah."

"I'm sorry sweetheart," Hermione said. "If you'd like, your father and I will make sure everyone knows the truth."

"It doesn't really matter," Saffron said quietly.

"Of course it does," Hermione said firmly.

"You believed me," Saffron said feeling tears well up in her eyes. "You never doubted me."

"Of course not," Hermione answered. "You're my baby girl, Saffy. And like I said last night- you don't lie to me."

Saffron gave her mother a hug. "It's impossible to lie to you."

Hermione smiled as she kissed the top of Saffron's head. "I have a good lie radar. I can spot them a kilometre away."

"Bad news for Daddy," Saffron mused. "Speaking of which, where is he?"

"He's just down the beach with Ethan and Maddie," Hermione pointed.

"Are he and Uncle Ron okay?" Saffron asked.

"I think so," Hermione nodded. "We'll ring him later and let him know what's going on."

Saffron sighed. "I hate this."

"I know you do, baby." Hermione patted her hand. "I wish I could somehow make things easier for you."

"Do you have a time turner?" Saffron asked.

"I wish I could do that," Hermione said. "But things will work out for the best. You know that."

"Everything happens for a reason," Saffron said. "And that which doesn't kill me will make me stronger..."

"That's my girl," Hermione said with a smile.

Harry strode over to them and sat down beside his daughter. "Hey, sweetheart."

"Hi Dad," Saffron managed a smile at her father.

"What are you two up to?" he asked.

"Just talking," Saffron shrugged.

"Well, how about you take a walk with your old man?" Harry asked. "I'll even buy you an ice cream."

Saffron had to smile more genuinely. "Daddy you don't play fair."

Harry stood back up and offered her his hand. "Come on, you."

"Mum will you watch Puddles for me?" Saffron asked as her father helped her up.

"Of course," Hermione said. "And if you two wanted to get me a cup of strawberry..."

"Of course dear," Harry smiled at her.

Saffron and Harry set off for the ice cream stand down the beach.

"Sickle for your thoughts?" Harry asked.

Saffron was quiet for a few moments before telling her father about Sean. "I can't get mad at him because I know he didn't do it to be mean..."

Harry nodded. "And he didn't know Audrey had no idea what was going on...”

"Right," Saffron sighed. "You know, she wasn't too bad. I didn't talk to her much but I thought she was nice."

"Are you going to tell Andrew about Sean?" Harry asked.

Saffron shook her head. "I don't want to talk to him."

"It was a misunderstanding," Harry said. "Once you tell him..."

"I shouldn't have to tell him, Dad!" Saffron exclaimed. "He should have taken my word. You did. Mum did."

Harry nodded. "All right- he should have heard you out. But perhaps by now he's realised his error."

"It's too late," Saffron said quietly.

Harry put an arm around his daughter. "You'll be okay sweetheart."

"Thanks, Daddy," Saffron said leaning against him.

"I'd do anything to make you happy, baby." Harry kissed the top of her head. "Including double dark chocolate peanut butter caramel..."

"With sprinkles?" Saffron asked.

"Extra sprinkles," Harry answered.

"You're the best," Saffron said as they approached the stand.

"I won't be if I forget your mum's strawberry cup," Harry quipped.

Saffron laughed. "And what are you going to get?"

"I'm not sure," Harry said. "Maybe just some plain old vanilla."

"That's kind of boring, Daddy," Saffron said as they took their place in the queue.

"Why don't you pick out something for me?" Harry smiled at her. "And for Maddie. She made me promise to get her something as well."

Saffron looked up at the menu of flavours. "Maddie would probably like the chocolate fudge swirl. And for you...I'm thinking mint chocolate chip."

"Good choice," Harry squeezed her shoulders.

Saffron turned around and gave him a hug. "Thanks, Daddy."

Harry hugged her back. "I'm glad to see you out and about."

"Puddles wanted to go for a walk," Saffron said quietly.

"Yeah but I'm still glad to see you out here with us," Harry answered as they moved forward.

"I want to spend as much time with you guys as I can before I go back to school," Saffron said.

"You might get tired of us," Harry joked.

"Never," Saffron said shaking her head.

A few minutes later they were carrying containers of ice cream back across the beach. "I should have gotten a little vanilla cup for Puddles," Saffron said.

"There's some in the icebox at home," Harry reassured her. "We can get him some from there."

"I'll get it when I take him back in," Saffron answered.

Saffron spotted a familiar person standing with her brother and she nearly dropped her ice cream. What in the world was Andrew doing here?

"Maybe I'll go back now," she said, handing Maddie's ice cream to her father.

"Saffy," Harry said. "What is it, sweetheart?"

"Andrew," Saffron said quietly. "I don't want to see him."

But, it was too late. Andrew had spotted her and was heading in her direction.

"Mr. Potter," Andrew said greeting Harry. "Saffy."

Saffron bit her lower lip and looked away from her ex boyfriend. "I'm going to get Puddles and go back to the house with my ice cream, Daddy."

"Okay, sweetheart," Harry said.

"Saffron, please," Andrew said. "I just want to talk to you---"

Saffron turned on her heel and stalked away as fast as she could over the sand.

"Perhaps you should go, Andrew," Harry said firmly.

"Mr. Potter," Andrew was crestfallen. "I made a huge mistake last night."

"You sure did," Harry said walking away from him.

Andrew was left standing alone like a fool, but decided to meet Saffron up at the house.

He knocked on the back door. "Saffy!"

Saffron ignored him as she went about getting Puddles a small bowl of ice cream. "You want a treat, baby?"

Puddles barked and looked pleadingly up at her.

His eager face made Saffron smile as she turned away from the door. "All right, come on then."

Andrew could see her inside. "Saffron! Come on. Let me in. Sean called me. He told me that he was the one who told Audrey about RJ."

"Too little too late," Saffron grumbled, still not looking at him.

"I'm sorry," Andrew called out to her.

Saffron pressed her lips together as she put the bowl on the floor for her dog and got herself a spoon.

Andrew tried the door and was relieved that it was open. "Hi."

"Go away," Saffron said icily.

He had expected her anger. "Look, I just want to talk. Please."

"I don't want to talk to you," Saffron gathered her bowl up. "Goodbye, Andrew."

"Sean rang me and told me what happened," Andrew said even though he'd told her this a few moments ago. "I was an idiot, Saffy."

"Yes you are," Saffron answered coldly.

Andrew sighed. "You can see how I would have thought---"

"No, I can't see," Saffron turned to face him, her eyes blazing. "I would have listened to you."

"I know," Andrew said hastily. "But---"

"But nothing," Saffron answered. "Goodbye."

Andrew reached for her. "Saffy, I love you. I thought that you'd---"

"Don't touch me," Saffron pulled away. "You thought I wouldn't care that you totally flew off the handle and accused me of something I didn't do?"

"I did fly off the handle," Andrew admitted. "But given your history with RJ, I think it's understandable..."

"No, it's not." Saffron glared at him. "Because I wanted to work things out, I was cordial to him, and look what it got me." she shook her head. "Just leave. I don't want to see you."

Andrew stared at her. He wasn't used to her looking at him like that.

"Leave!" Saffron nearly shouted.

Andrew nodded and turned for the door. There were so many things he wanted to say to her, but he knew she wouldn't listen.

Saffron sniffled as he opened the door. She hadn't realised just how hurt she was by his actions until right then.

"So, this is it?" Andrew asked.

"It wouldn't have been if you had just heard me out," Saffron said quietly, wiping at her eyes.

"I love you, Saffron," Andrew said turning around. "I love you."

"Stop it," she said, her voice trembling.

"If I could go back and change what happened, I would," Andrew said softly. "I should have believed you straightaway."

"Yes you should have," Saffron said, still not looking at him. "But you didn't."

"And you can't forgive me for that, can you?" Andrew asked.

"I don't know," Saffron wrapped her arms around herself. "Right now I just want you to go."

Andrew looked at her one last time before walking out the door.

Once he was gone, she literally broke down in heavy sobs at the kitchen table. Her shoulders shook as she cried; Puddles whining with his head in her lap.

Hermione had seen what had happened earlier on the beach and she'd seen Andrew walk out of the beach house. She wanted to check on her daughter and her heart sank when she spotted Saffron slumped over the table.

"Sweetheart?" Hermione asked, opening her arms.

"Now its okay," Saffron flew at her mother. "Now it's okay for him to hear me out, because he knows for sure I didn't do it. But he couldn't believe me last night."

Hermione held her daughter and patted her back comfortingly. She wished there was something she could do to take the pain away.

"I just want to go home," Saffron said a few minutes later.

"Are you sure, sweetheart?" Hermione asked. "We have a few more days here."

Saffron shrugged. "This is the worst holiday ever."

"We could go back earlier if you want," Hermione said.

"I don't want to ruin it for you and Daddy," Saffron answered softly.

"You haven't," Hermione reassured her.

"I think I'm going to go up and take a kip," Saffron answered as she put her ice cream container in the icebox. "Maybe I'll feel better later..."

"You want me to sit with you until you fall asleep?" Hermione asked.

"Sure," Saffron managed a smile. "Thanks."

Hermione followed her daughter upstairs. "You'll get through this, my sweet girl. I know it doesn't seem like it now, but you will."

"I'm never, ever dating again." Saffron swore.

"Your father will be glad to hear that," Hermione said dryly.

"I guess," Saffron said as Puddles shot into the room. "Tell Lexie I'm up here when she comes back with Gabe, all right?"

"I will," Hermione promised.

"I love you, Mum." Saffron hugged her. "Thanks for staying with me."

"I wouldn't be anywhere else," Hermione said sitting down with Saffron on the bed.

Saffron curled up with Puddles. "Wake me up in a few hours?"

"I will," Hermione said.

It only took Saffron a few minutes to fall asleep and Hermione eased herself away.

185. Chapter 185

Authors’ note: This chapter has a birthday party and more fallout from the beach barbecue…we hope you enjoy it!

She gingerly closed the door behind her and then went downstairs. She wasn't going to go back to the beach. There was some paperwork she needed to go over and she settled at the kitchen table.

She'd been working for several minutes when people began trickling back in. "Had enough for the day?" Hermione smiled at her son and daughter in law.

Ethan nodded. "How's Saf?"

Hermione shook her head. "Pretty torn up. She's upstairs kipping."

"So she didn't forgive Andrew?" Maddie asked.

"No," Hermione answered. "I think she needs a few days to think things over."

Ethan poured each of them a glass of lemonade. "I'm not used to seeing Saffy like this."

"I don't like it either," Maddie replied softly. "She's usually so vivacious."

"She wants us to leave early," Hermione told them.

"Leave early?" Ethan protested. "But Mum--"

"It wouldn't be such a bad idea," Hermione said. "Besides, I'd like to be closer to your grandmother. She's not been feeling well these last couple of days."

Ethan still frowned. "Are you sure we can't just get her to come out here? I'll go and drive her."

"She wants to stay at home," Hermione said. "You know how she is."

"I guess," Ethan replied.

"Nothing's decided yet," Hermione told him. "I still need to talk to your father."

"I rang Daddy and told him what really happened," Maddie said. "He felt bad about assuming it was Saffy, too. Especially since he loves her like a daughter."

"Saffy will be glad to know that," Hermione said smiling at Maddie.

Maddie nodded as the door opened again and Frankie, Will and Hannah came in. "Hi guys."

"Hi, Maddie!" Hannah exclaimed. "We had so much fun on the beach!"

"I'm glad sweetheart." Maddie smiled at her. "And look how nice and tan you are!"

"She's getting to be quite the swimmer, too," Will said affectionately.

Hannah beamed as Ethan slid her a glass of lemonade. "I really love it in the ocean."

"We're so glad you're having a good time here, Hannah," Hermione said to the little girl.

"Thank you," Hannah said shyly. She was still a little in awe of Hermione- being the Minister for Magic.

Frankie tugged at Maddie's arm. "Could I have a word?"

"Sure," Maddie followed her friend into the hall. "What's up?"

"Hannah's fifth birthday is in three days," Frankie told her best friend.

Maddie smiled. "How lovely... I'm sure you and Will are going to throw her a big party, right?"

"We'd like to, but I need your help," Frankie said keeping her voice down so Hannah wouldn't overhear.

"Of course," Maddie answered immediately. "Anything, Frankie."

"Thank you," Frankie said gratefully. "I was thinking we'd keep it small with just our families and I was going to see if her friend Jessica from pre-school could come, too."

"Is it going to be a surprise party?" Maddie asked softly.

Frankie nodded. "I thought that'd be best."

The blonde smiled. "Blue will want to be there as well. He really likes Hannah, Frankie."

Frankie smiled back at her best friend. She wanted to make this birthday extra special for Hannah given what had happened when she'd found out about the pregnancy. "She'd love that, Maddie."

"I bet she'd enjoy a beach theme like Caroline had," Maddie said thoughtfully. "And especially since she's been having so much fun here."

"That'd be so great," Frankie said. "We could have a luau."

Maddie giggled. "This will be so much fun, Frankie. Tonight after the kids go to bed, we'll sit down and plan this all out."

"And we could go shopping in town for some supplies tomorrow," Frankie said.

"Perfect," Maddie nodded. "I can't wait to see her face when she sees everything."

"Me too," Frankie said peering into the kitchen where Hannah was laughing at something Will was saying to her.

"She's been so happy the last few days," Maddie said quietly. "I'm glad she's gotten over being upset about the baby."

"I am too," Frankie said. "Come on..."

She and Maddie walked back into the kitchen and Hannah beamed at her mother.

"Try some of these," Hannah held out a biscuit. "Daddy says they're the best."

"Well, if William says so," Frankie said winking at her husband.

"I do," Will replied with a grin.

"Will and I are going to take the little sailor here out on the boat tomorrow to go fishing," Ethan said.

"Fishing!" Frankie exclaimed. "Hannah Emily wants to go fishing?"

"I've never been before," Hannah said.

"I think she'll like it," Will smiled at his daughter.

"We can put all the fish back after we catch them, right?" Hannah asked. "I don't want to hurt them."

"We can throw them back, yes," Will assured her. "Your grandmother Cho and aunt Chiaki would be so proud to hear you say that."

"Why didn't you and Aunt Allie become vegetables, Mummy?" Hannah asked.

Frankie laughed so hard she nearly cried. "Because, baby," she said wiping her eyes. "We both love a burger every now and again. Just not that often."

"Oh," Hannah said nodding. "Me too."

"Let's get you out of that swim costume," Frankie said. "It's going to be time for dinner soon."

"Okay," Hannah said sliding off of her chair. "What are we having?"

"I think Harry was talking about getting some takeout," Hermione said. "Chinese, some curry... a little bit of everything."

"Yum," Hannah said happily. "I bet Em will be so excited."

“Sounds good to me too," Frankie said. "And the baby."

Hermione smiled at the young woman. "You'll soon find out that your baby will dictate your appetite."

"I'm finding that out," Frankie said taking Hannah's hand. "Come on, baby."

"Kay," Hannah followed her mother upstairs. "I think I got a little sunburned on my shoulders."

"I have some lotion for that," Frankie said motioning for Hannah to sit down on the bed.

Hannah pulled the straps of her swim costume down as Frankie rubbed the lotion onto her small shoulders. "Thanks Mummy."

"You're welcome," Frankie said smiling at her. "Tomorrow when you're on the boat with your daddy make sure you stay in your t-shirt. I don't want this burn to get worse. Okay?"

Hannah nodded. "I will. I'm going to change clothes."

"Okay, sweetheart," Frankie said kissing her on the cheek. "I'm going to do the same."

"Meet you out here in five minutes!" Hannah called, racing for her room.

Frankie laughed. She was very happy that Hannah seemed to be adjusting to the pregnancy and that she seemed to be more outgoing. She'd come such a long way in such a short time.

Will came into the bedroom as Frankie was pulling on a pair of jeans. "You talk to Maddie about Hannah's party then?" he asked.

Frankie nodded. "We're going to plan tonight after she's gone to sleep. Tomorrow, we'll go shopping."

"Good idea," Will put his arms around his wife.

'"You'll be careful with her on the boat, right?" Frankie asked. "Make sure she's wearing a life jacket and make sure she's in her t-shirt and sun hat. I don't want her getting another sunburn."

"I promise," Will chuckled. "Don't you sound like the anxious mother..."

Frankie smiled at him. "I'm just looking out for my little girl."

He gave her a kiss. "How's the little one today?"

"He or she has been behaving because this is the first day I haven't been sick," Frankie replied.

"What do you think we're having?" Will asked. "A boy or girl?"

"Well, girls seem to run in my family," Frankie said thoughtfully. "And boys seem to run in yours. I honestly don't have a preference. I just want him or her to be healthy."

Will nodded. "Definitely... although I have to say I wouldn't mind having a little William Jr. running around..."

"William Jr?" Frankie asked turning her nose up.

"Yeah," Will said with a grin. "Come on Frankie!"

"That one didn't even make my list," Frankie scoffed.

"Why not?" Will acted as if he was injured.

"Because it's boring," Frankie replied as if the answer should have been simple.

"My name is boring?" he asked.

"Your name is lovely," Frankie said patting his arm. "But I was thinking more along the lines of...Nathan."

"Nathan," Will mused. "Can we give him William as a middle name? If it's a boy?"

"Nathan William Barron," Frankie said grinning at him. "I like that."

"Of course, if it's a girl, Wilhelmina-- ouch!" Will laughed as Frankie threw a pillow at him.

"Over my dead body," Frankie said.

"We wouldn't want that," Will twirled her around the room.

Frankie laughed. "Will!"

"I'm excited," he said, laughing too.

"What are you laughing about?" Hannah asked from the doorway. She'd changed into a pair of white shorts and a red top.

"Names," Frankie said.

"For the baby?" Hannah asked.

Will nodded. "What do you think of Nathan William Barron?"

Hannah nodded. "I like it! What did you pick for a girl?"

Frankie reached for the notebook on the bedside table. "Well, for girls, I had the names Rebecca...Charlotte....Colleen...Isabelle..."

"Isabelle is pretty," Hannah volunteered.

"What about a middle name?" Will asked. "Isabelle---"

Hannah sat on the edge of the bed. "I think the name Christine is pretty."

"Isabelle Christine Barron," Frankie said smiling at Hannah. "That is a great name and I wouldn't expect anything less from someone with a beautiful name like Hannah Emily."

Hannah grinned with pleasure. "Thanks Mummy."

"Isabelle or Nathan is going to be very lucky to have you for a big sister," Will said smiling at her.

"I'm going to be the bestest big sister," Hannah vowed.

"You sure are," Will said. "And I can't believe that my sweet little girl is going to be five years old!"

"In three days," Hannah nodded.

"Eleven years until she's able to date," Frankie said.

"I don't want to date," Hannah answered.

Will picked her up and spun her around. "Music to my ears!"

Hannah giggled uncontrollably. "I'm flying!"

Will laughed. "Hannah Barron is coming in for a landing...."

"Oomph!" Hannah said as her father landed her on the bed. "That was fun!"

Frankie smiled. "Come on, you. We can do some reading if you like..."

"A magazine?" Hannah asked.

"Absolutely," Frankie said picking up the copy of Witch Weekly that had arrived later that morning.

"Yay," Hannah slid next to her. "I want to know what the advice column says this week."

"And I think this is my cue to go downstairs," Will said.

"We'll be down in a bit," Frankie smiled at him.

Will laughed. "Uh-huh."

Hannah curled up next to her mother. "Do you think Lonely in Leeds ever found a boyfriend?"

"I don't know," Frankie said. "You know that is the bad thing about these columns. You read the letters and you hear the advice, but you never find out how it turned out."

"I hope she did," Hannah replied.

"Me too," Frankie said. "Now let's see. This letter is from Obsessed in Ottery St. Catchpole. She writes, "I have been hopelessly in love with my brother's best friend for years. He is everything I could have ever wanted. Our relationship developed out of nowhere and I'm trying to hold on to him with all that I have. The troubling this is that he has a female best friend who I am very threatened by. She seems to know him inside and out. I can't help being jealous..."

"Oooh," Hannah's eyes were wide.

"I know," Frankie said before continuing to read the letter. "To complicate matters even further my brother fancies her. It's very complicated. I just wish there was some way to sort it all out."

"What did they say back to her?" Hannah asked, her eyes skimming over the words. She wished they made more sense to her.

Frankie rolled her eyes as she read the columnist's reply. "She tells her that perhaps she should go on a journey to find out who she is."

"A journey?" Hannah was confused.

"That's the most absurd thing I've ever heard," Frankie said. "I don't understand it either."

"Go to the next one," Hannah said. "Please?"

"Alright," Frankie said. "Let's see...this one is from..."

Emma toddled into the room and plopped down on the bed. "Em want to hear too!"

Frankie laughed. "Well come on up Miss Em. You're just in time!"

Emma cuddled up with Hannah. "Go!"

Frankie read to her daughter and niece until dinner had arrived.

"Hey Em," Hannah said. "Did you hear that we have Chinese food and curry AND fish and chips tonight?"

Emma's eyes grew large. "All that? Yummy!"

"And you'll have a little bit of everything, right?" Hannah giggled.

Emma nodded.

"You two should be really sweet to Saffron," Frankie told them. "She's still sad."

"Em loves Saf," Emma replied. "Will help her eat tonight, kay?"

Frankie tickled her niece's side. "I'm sure that will make her feel a whole lot better."

Emma giggled. "Let's go and get Saffy."

"Okay," Hannah said. "We'll see you downstairs Mummy."

"Okay," Frankie said smiling at them before going downstairs.

"Come on, Em," Hannah said.

They went down the hall to the room Saffron and Alexa were sharing. Emma knocked on the door. "Saf! Come eat!"

Saffron had been sleeping and she awoke with a start when she heard the knock. Puddles scrambled to his feet and hopped off the bed.

"Who is it?" she asked groggily, rubbing at her eyes.

"Em!" Emma called out knocking again. "Em and Han-nah!"

Saffron opened the door to see the two little girls standing there. "Hi you two," she said. "Come on in."

Emma held up her arms. "Hug?"

Saffron had to smile. "Of course. Thanks Em. I needed a hug."

Saffron knelt down and the two girls gave her a big hug.

The sweet gesture almost made her start crying again but she kept her tears at bay. "Thanks you two. You both give great hugs, you know that?"

Hannah smiled at her. "We just want you to feel better."

"I already do," Saffron replied. "Is it dinner time?"

Emma nodded. "Come eat!"

"What are we having?" Saffron asked.

"Chinese," Hannah told her. "Your Mummy said."

"It smells good," Saffron said as Emma took her hand.

"Sit beside Em 'kay?" Emma asked.

"Okay," Saffron said. "I'd love to sit by you, Em."

Harry and Hermione were setting the table and smiled when they saw their daughter.

"Want to go with me to let Puddles out?" Saffron asked Emma and Hannah.

"Yes!" Hannah exclaimed.

"We'll be right back," Saffron told her parents.

"I miss Maxi," Emma said to Saffron.

Saffron knew that Cho and Neville had taken Max back with them the other night. "You'll get to see him again in a few days, right?"

Emma nodded. "He's scared without Em."

"Scared?" Saffron asked.

"Em looks out for Maxi," Emma told her. "Em loves Maxi."

"I bet Max loves you too," Saffron said. "And you know what? Until you go home, you can pretend Puddles is your dog too, okay?"

Emma beamed at her. "Thanks, Saf!"

"You're welcome Em," Saffron hugged the little redhead again. "You know, you're both making me feel a whole lot better."

"Do you think you could do my hair like yours?" Hannah asked reaching up and tugging at one of Saffron's plaits.

"I think so," Saffron answered. "You all like plaits a lot, don't you?"

"I really like yours," Hannah said. "You have pretty hair like Maddie's."

Saffron laughed. "No one has hair like Maddie."

Hannah nodded. "Like a doll's."

"The nice thing about Maddie as she's as sweet as she is beautiful," Saffron said.

"And she has a really cool pixie," Hannah said.

"That she does," Saffron agreed.

"Em loves Aunt Mad," the redhead said.

"Family is the most important thing in the world," Saffron said remembering how hers had gathered around her when she most needed them.

Hannah nodded. "Like having a Mummy and Daddy who love you."

"And two of the sweetest little girls in the whole world that give the bestest hugs," Saffron said smiling at the them.

Hannah grinned at her again. "Are you feeling better Saffy?"

"Thanks to you two, yes," Saffron replied. "Come on. Let's go inside."

Puddles eagerly ran ahead of them with Emma trailing just behind. "Pud!" she said. "You're Em's dog too!"

Saffron laughed. She was still heartbroken, but she couldn't help feeling better.

"There you are," Allison said as they went back inside. "Em, go wash up, okay?"

"You too, Hannah," Frankie said.

"Okay," Hannah said, heading for the loo.

"We should all have enough since Ron isn't here," Harry joked.

"I'm eating for Dad," Maddie said with a grin.

"And I am eating for two," Frankie said patting her stomach.

"And Em is hungry!" Emma announced.

Jon scooped her up. "When are you not hungry, baby?"

"Never!" Emma giggled.

"She is a Weasley," Caroline giggled.

"And Weasleys are always hungry," Maddie finished.

Josh shook his head. "Some of us more than others."

"Sissy, look at the food!" Emma squealed.

"It looks good Em," Caroline agreed. "Want me to help you?"

"Peas?" Emma asked.

Lizzy and Josh put the triplets in their chairs and Casey clapped her hands excitedly. "Eat, Mama."

"All right little miss," Lizzy said. "Want to try a little of everything?"

Casey nodded.

"Case!" Emma waved at her cousin. "Case!"

"Em look," Casey said. "Eat!"

Josh laughed. "Uh-oh. Now Em has a partner-in-crime."

"Dada," Noah reached out to him.

"What do you want, mate?" Josh asked standing up and walking over to him. "Hmm?"

Noah pointed to a bowl of noodles on the table. "Oodle!"

Aidan giggled. "Oodle! Oodle!"

"You two are oodle," Josh said with a grin.

Jon helped Caroline fix a plate for Emma and before he sat down he tugged on one of Saffron's plaits. She smiled up at him.

"Doing okay?" he asked.

"Yeah," Saffron answered. "Okay..."

Jon smiled at her before taking his seat beside Allison.

Saffron was glad that the Weasleys seemed to have forgiven her. She knew that some of them hadn't immediately believed her, but that was to be expected given that RJ was their brother.

This wasn't going to be an easy time, but she would get through it. She'd have Quidditch and school to keep her busy and with time, maybe she'd forget about Andrew. But, she knew that was just wishful thinking. How did you forget your first love?

*** *** ***

When Emma woke up that morning, she looked around the room for a moment trying to remember why that day felt so different. When she rested her eyes on Hannah, the little redhead smiled and pushed back her covers.

Creeping over to Hannah's bed, Emma squealed loudly and pushed at her. "HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAN!"

Hannah awoke with a start. "Em! You scared me!"

"Han is five now!" Emma jumped onto her bed.

Hannah rubbed sleepily at her eyes. "It's my birthday...”

"Yes!" Emma squealed and giggled, waking up Casey.

Casey sat up in her crib and looked disoriented. "Em?"

"It's Han's birthday!" Emma hopped up and down. "Say Happy Birthday, Case!"

Casey just shook her head.

Hannah giggled. "I think she's too sleepy, Em."

"Em's not sleepy at all" Emma jumped higher on the bed.

Will knocked on the door. "What is going on in here?"

"Uncle Will!" Emma scrambled off the bed and ran towards him. "It's Han's birthday!"

"I know," Will said spinning Emma around. "I can't believe my little girl is five years old!"

Hannah giggled. "I'm getting old, Daddy."

Will sat Emma back down and then walked over to his daughter's bed. "You're always going to be my little girl. Even when you're old and grey. Happy Birthday, sweetheart!"

"Thanks Daddy," Hannah gave him a hug.

"Your mum is going to be in here soon," Will promised. "She woke up feeling a little sick."

"Will she be okay?" Hannah asked anxiously. "Is she sick because of the baby?"

Will nodded. "She's going to be fine. It's normal."

"Mummy got sick with Adam," Emma said doing a little twirl in the middle of the bedroom. "Sick, sick, sick."

"Sick," Casey echoed, pulling herself up.

"She'll be fine," Will reassured Hannah.

Hannah nodded. "Okay Daddy."

"Out!" Casey exclaimed holding up her arms. "Peas?"

Will chuckled. "As you wish, Miss Casey."

Will stood up and walked over to the toddler's crib. He lifted her out and gave her a kiss on the cheek. "Here you are."

"Will," Casey grinned at him and patted his cheek. "Hi hi!"

"Hi! Hi!" Will echoed.

Casey grimaced. "Sqwatchy."

Will laughed. "I haven't had a chance to shave."

"Uncle Will has a beard," Emma sang, still dancing around in a circle. "And it's scratchy, scratchy!"

Casey giggled. "Em sing!"

"Scratchy, scratchy beard," Emma sang with a grin. "Han's birthday is today and she's five!"

No one had ever made this big a deal over her birthday and Hannah couldn't help the large smile that broke out across her face.

"Happy birthday to you!" Emma changed her tune. "Happy birthday to Han!"

"Birthday!" Casey echoed, clapping her hands.

"What's going on in here?" Frankie asked. Her skin was pale and she looked a little weak, but she wasn't about to miss out on any moment of Hannah's birthday.

"Mummy?" Hannah asked. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine sweetheart," Frankie smiled at her daughter. "Happy birthday love."

Hannah slid off of her bed and ran toward her mother. "Thanks, Mummy."

"Oomph," Frankie laughed as Hannah threw herself into her arms. "Sounds like you four are already partying."

"Han's five!" Emma jumped up on the bed. "Han's five and she's a birthday girl!"

"That she is," Frankie hugged her daughter. "She's my beautiful birthday girl."

Lizzy came in to get Casey and after wishing Hannah a happy birthday took Casey and Emma downstairs to get breakfast.

"A little peace and quiet," Frankie sat down on the edge of the bed.

"Em's kind of excited," Hannah said sitting down beside her.

"Em was born excited," Will joked.

Frankie laughed. "Hannah, your father and I have a special present for you."

"You got me something?" Hannah asked.

"Of course we did," Will sat on her other side.

Frankie reached into the pocket of her dressing gown and pulled out a small gift wrapped box. "We have some other things for you, but we wanted to give this to you first."

Hannah took it and carefully peeled back the wrapper to reveal a small velvet box. She opened it and her eyes grew wide.

It was a heart-shaped silver locket and Hannah remembered admiring the one that Saffron's mother wore around her neck.

"Open it," Will said softly. "Look inside, baby."

Hannah gently pried it open and gaped. On one side was a picture of her birth mother, and on the other, a picture of her with Will and Frankie.

"We thought you might like to keep all of us close," Frankie kissed the top of Hannah's head.

Tears welled up in Hannah's eyes as she looked at the two pictures. She didn't know what to say.

"Do you like it, baby?" Frankie asked.

Hannah nodded. "It's the prettiest thing ever, Mummy."

"Let's put it on and see how it looks," Will said taking the locket from her.

Hannah lifted up her hair as her father put the locket on. "It's my most favourite present ever."

"I'm so glad you like it," Will said picking her up and carrying her over to the mirror. "What do you think?"

"It's so pretty," Hannah touched it. "Thank you Daddy. Thank you Mummy."

"You're very welcome," Will said sharing a look with Frankie. "How about we go on down for some breakfast. I happen to know that Harry is making waffles this morning."

"Yummy," Hannah declared. "Can I have strawberries on mine?"

"Absolutely," Will said holding her tightly as they made their way downstairs.

"I'll meet you guys in there in a minute," Frankie said, rubbing her stomach. "I need another bathroom run."

"Uh-oh," Hannah said watching in concern as her mother hurried down the hall.

"She's going to be okay," Will said patting Hannah's back.

"I hope so," Hannah said, watching after Frankie.

Hannah could smell the delicious food before they even made it to the kitchen. She grinned with delight when she saw everyone around the table.

"Happy Birthday!" Caroline, Katie, and Ashley exclaimed.

"Thanks," Hannah said with a grin. "It smells yummy in here!"

"Why thank you, Hannah Emily Barron," Harry crowed in dramatic fashion from his post by the stove. "I hope that you are extra hungry."

Hannah blushed and smiled. "I am."

"And as a special treat," Will whispered to Hannah. "Both sets of your grandparents are going to be here later."

"Really?" Hannah asked. "I can't wait!"

"What time are Nev and Cho getting in?" Hermione asked.

"A few hours," Will answered, not mentioning that they would be taking Hannah to lunch so they could get the surprise party set up.

Ashley, who was sitting across from Hannah, noticed the locket. "That's a pretty locket, Hannah."

"Thanks," Hannah touched it. "Mummy and Daddy just gave it to me."

Ashley leaned across the table. "Can I see the pictures inside?"

"Sure," Hannah said, opening it. "The one there is my real mummy, and then one of me and my mummy and daddy."

"That's really cool, Aunt Frankie," Caroline commented. "That way Hannah's mummy and you and Uncle Will can always be close to her heart!"

Frankie had just come back into the kitchen and smiled at her niece. "That's right Angel."

"Feeling okay?" Will asked his wife.

"I'll be fine," Frankie answered, rubbing her forehead.

"I'll get you a glass of juice," Maddie said to her friend.

"Thanks Mads," Frankie sat down, hoping her nausea would pass.

Will put some waffles on Hannah's plate and cut them for her. "Syrup and strawberries, right?"

"Can I have whip cream?" Hannah asked hopefully.

"Absolutely," Will said winking at her.

Hannah smiled as she leaned back in her chair. So far this had been her best birthday ever.

Maddie handed Frankie a glass of juice. "You sure you're okay?"

Frankie nodded. "It's the bloody morning sickness, that's all."

"If you need anything just let me know," Maddie said sympathetically.

"Thanks," Frankie said gratefully. "Hopefully it won't last much longer. We've got loads to set up."

"She looks so happy," Maddie commented watching as Hannah took a big bite of her waffles, getting some of the whipped cream on her nose.

"Yeah she does," Frankie said fondly. "I can’t' believe it's almost been a year since I met her."

"And see how much she's changed," Maddie said. "You did that, Frankie. I'm really proud of you."

"She's adapted really well," Frankie said in a low voice. "Especially after at first when we told her about the pregnancy. The past few days she's almost completely come out of her shell."

"She's such a sweet little girl," Maddie said. "I hope Ethan and I have a little girl some day just like her."

Frankie smiled. "I'm sure you will, Mads. It'll happen for you."

Maddie looked down the table to where her husband was talking with his little sister. She hoped that it would happen soon. She wanted to start a family and she couldn't wait to have a baby of their own. Perhaps she'd talk to him later about his feelings on the subject.

Hannah finished off her waffles and laughed at her father who had whipped cream on his nose. "You made a big mess, Daddy!'

"I did?" Will asked innocently. "Where?"

"On your nose!" Hannah giggled pointing at it. "And you have syrup on your cheek!"

"Like this?" Will dabbed a bit of whip cream on her nose. "And maybe some here?" he got her cheek.

"Daddy!" Hannah squealed.

"You're setting a good example," Maddie teased.

Will grinned. "What can I say?"

Aidan picked up a piece of his food and threw it at his sister, who promptly began to cry.

"Aidan," Lizzy chastised. "Why did you do that?"

Noah picked up some of his cereal and slung it at his mother. "Mama!"

"Noah!" Lizzy said sternly. "That's a bad boy. We do not throw our food!"

"No throw," Casey wiped her eyes. "No throw!"

"Throw!" Noah exclaimed.

"No," Josh saw what his sons were doing. "No throwing."

"See what you started, William?" Frankie asked.

"I didn't mean to," Will wiped the cream and syrup off his face.

"Everyone behave!" Emma admonished pointing her finger at the triplets. "No waste food!"

Noah and Aidan stared at her. "Kay Em," Noah said.

Maddie pressed her lips together so she wouldn't start laughing.

"She rules the roost," Allison said. "Em, do you want some more waffles?"

"Yes," Emma nodded. "Peas, Mummy."

"I'll get them for her, Mummy," Caroline said, knowing her mother's hands were full with Adam.

"Thanks Angel," Allison smiled at her oldest daughter.

"I can help too," Katie said getting to her feet.

"I've got it," Caroline said, hurrying over to the plate on the counter.

Katie slumped down in her seat. She couldn't believe Caroline was still mad at her.

Ashley watched this exchange and she leaned over. "What's up with Caroline?" she whispered to her sister.

"She's cross with me because I'm going to get the lead and she's not," Katie whispered back.

"But you don't know that for sure," Ashley replied. "Everyone has a fair chance."

"I'm the best in the class though, Ash," Katie said.

"That doesn't always mean you'll get the lead," Ashley pointed out gently.

"Caroline's too shy," Katie said defensively. "And she hates being in the front. Always has. Kind of like you."

Ashley frowned. "Being shy isn't a bad thing, Katie."

"For a dancer, it is," Katie said not noticing that Caroline had heard what she'd said.

Ashley shook her head. "If you're her best friend like you say you are, you wouldn't be like this. You'd help her and you'd be happy for her if she won the lead."

"That's not going to happen," Katie scoffed.

Caroline grabbed her plate and glared at her best friend. "I'm going to go and sit beside my daddy."

"Fine," Katie crossed her arms and turned away.

Ashley was disappointed in her sister. "You're going to lose her as a friend if you keep this up you know." she said before going back to her sketchbook.

Katie rolled her eyes. Ashley didn't know what she was talking about. Caroline would come to see that Katie was only looking out for her and they'd forget about this.

Caroline set her plate down on the other side of her father. "Hi, Daddy."

"Hi sweetheart," Jon smiled at her. "What's up?"

"I just wanted to sit beside you," Caroline said smiling slightly at him.

"You sure everything's okay?" Jon asked. "You look upset Angel."

Caroline's lower lip trembled as Katie's words echoed in her head. "I'm...I'm okay."

Jon put an arm around his daughter. "Sweetheart--"

Caroline sobbed into his shoulder.

Jon picked her up and carried her out of the kitchen. "Tell me what's wrong, baby."

She told her father what she'd overheard Katie said. "I-I just w-wish I was b-brave."

"You are brave," Jon told her, wiping her tears away with his thumb. "You're going to get up there and audition in front of everyone, aren't you? And I think my princess is going to blow everyone away."

"Will you and Mummy be there?" Caroline asked. "I think I could do it if I could see your faces..."

"We wouldn't miss it for the world," Jon assured her. "And when you make the lead, we'll be there in the front row, with lots and lots and lots of flowers."

"Thanks, Daddy," Caroline said putting her arms around his neck. "I love you."

"I love you too, Angel." Jon hugged her tightly.

Caroline smiled up at him. "You're the bestest."

"Well I happen to think you're the bestest too," Jon said dramatically. "Your mum and I got lucky with you three, you know that?"

Caroline giggled. "We are pretty great, aren't we?"

"Yes you are," Jon kissed her cheek. "And don't ever let anyone tell you otherwise."

Caroline beamed at him. "Thanks, Daddy."

"Come on," Jon took her hand. "Let's get back in there and have some waffles before your sister eats them all."

Caroline followed him out of the kitchen and ignored Katie.

Saffron took a seat beside Ashley. She was trying to keep busy so she could keep her mind off of Andrew. "What are you sketching, Ash?"

"I'm trying to draw the ocean," Ashley said. "Like, make the waves and stuff. It's hard!"

"You make it look easy," Saffron said looking thoughtfully at the sketch. "That's really good."

"Thanks," Ashley said. "I'm trying to make them look like they're moving, you know?"

"Looks great to me," Saffron said. "Look, I was wondering if perhaps you'd like to go shopping for your school things with Lexie and me. I'd understand if you wanted to go with Jules---"

"Really?" Ashley asked. "You want me to go with you?"

"Of course," Saffron said. "We're going next week...."

"I'd love to go," Ashley said excitedly.

"Great," Saffron smiled at her. “Jules said you received your letter yesterday."

Ashley nodded happily. "I'm really excited. I'm nervous too, but I'm excited mostly."

"You're going to love it," Saffron said. "I know you will."

"Especially since you're Head Girl," Ashley smiled at her aunt.

"Anyone gives you any grief, you just let me know," Saffron said giving her niece a hug.

Alexa came into the kitchen carrying a letter and she tapped Saffron on the shoulder.

"You're never going to believe what Mimi had to say in her letter," Alexa said.

Saffron looked at the letter in her friend's hand. "How many pages is that exactly?"

"Thirteen," Alexa replied. "But you will never in a million years guess what has her so worked up."

"She found a split end?" Saffron asked.

Ashley giggled.

Alexa shook her head. "You know how her mum's been divorced for about two years now, right?"

Saffron nodded. "I remember when that happened."

"Well, her mother's been seeing someone since the summer began and you're never going to guess who it is," Alexa replied.

"Oliver Wood," Saffron said thinking of a random name.

Alexa nodded. "And apparently it's getting a bit serious."

"Oh my God!" Saffron exclaimed. "I was only kidding---are you serious? Really? Oliver Wood?"

Julie turned around at the mention of the headmaster's name. "What about Oliver?"

"He's going out with Cheryl Doyle," Alexa said. "Mimi's mum. Meems' is mortified."

Julie chuckled. "He told me he was seeing someone, but he didn't mention who."

Saffron picked up the letter and smiled when she read what Mimi had written.

I thought that seeing Oliver Wood everyday would be a dream come true, but I never in a million years thought it would be like this. My mother is walking around the house humming some stupid song and she keeps smiling. I cannot believe this is happening to me!

Saffron grinned. "I wonder what Beth has to say about this."

"Good for old Oliver," Nick said sharing a grin with his wife.

Julie nudged him before going back to her breakfast.

"Hey, birthday girl," Frankie said smiling at Hannah. "Come here."

"Are you feeling better Mummy?" Hannah asked, perching carefully on her lap.

"Much better," Frankie said kissing the top of her head. "Did you have a good breakfast?"

"It was really yummy," Hannah said. "And I can't wait for my grandpas and my grandmas to come!"

"They're going to be so happy to see you," Frankie said. "And your Daddy and I are going to take you out for lunch later."

Hannah smiled happily. "This is my most favourite birthday ever."

"I'm glad, baby," Frankie said. "You're our special girl."

"Thanks Mummy," Hannah replied. "And I love my necklace a whole lot."

"I'm so glad," Frankie said hugging her tightly.

"My two favourite girls," Will sat down. "I just heard from your grandpa Ted. They'll be here soon, Hannah."

"And they're bringing Mia with them," Frankie said. "She didn't want to miss your birthday."

Hannah grinned. "I can't wait!"

The rest of the breakfast passed by quickly. Some people were going to go out on the beach, but Emma hung back with her best friend. She knew about the party later, but she wasn't going to say anything because it was supposed to be a surprise.

Maddie sat down beside Frankie. "So you're taking her out to lunch and Ethan and I will help set everything up in here."

"Thanks Maddie," Frankie said. "I owe you both for helping out like this."

"She's our goddaughter," Maddie said.

"I know, but I still appreciate it." Frankie said. "I left you the list of spells to transform everything into a beach. And all the party favours are in the closet."

"When are Chi and Tosh getting here?" Maddie asked.

"They're bringing the twins a few hours from now," Frankie said. "They're also bringing her friend Jessica from school."

Maddie grinned. "She's going to love that, Frankie!"

"I hope she's surprised," Frankie glanced over her shoulder.

"Don't worry," Maddie said. "Em won't say anything."

"I know," Frankie answered. "I'm going to get dressed. Thanks again Maddie."

Maddie watched her friend go before she headed into the kitchen to help her husband.

"Don't even pretend like you're in here to help," Ethan said grinning at her. "There's no food left."

"Busted," Maddie slid her arms around him.

"I'm not dressing up as a rabbit for this one," Ethan told her. "Not even for Hannah."

"You don't have to," Maddie laughed. "Just maybe your swim costume..."

"She went with the beach theme, then?" Ethan asked.

"Yes," Maddie nodded. "Even though we're at the beach, the whole having sand indoors really gets the kids excited."

"Having you indoors kind of gets me excited," Ethan said nibbling at her neck.

Maddie smiled. "No luck yet..."

"Later tonight?" Ethan asked hopefully.

"Soon as we get the chance," Maddie said softly. "Ethan..."

"Yes, my love?" Ethan asked.

"Am I horrible for feeling jealous of Frankie?" Maddie asked.

"Jealous of her over what?" Ethan asked.

"Being pregnant," Maddie cast her eyes down.

"You wish it was you having morning sickness?" Ethan teased, but he stopped when he saw the serious expression on his wife's face. "Mads?"

"I just want to have a baby so much," Maddie said, looking back at him.

"It's going to happen, Maddie," Ethan said putting his arms around her. "At the right time."

"I just hate the feeling of being jealous," Maddie put her head on his shoulder. "It's not who I am... you know?"

"Everyone knows that," Ethan reassured her. "And when the time comes, you're going to be a great mum."

"I hope so," Maddie hugged him again. "And you'll be such a good dad, Ethan."

Ethan held her tightly. "We can start trying again tonight...."

"Every night?" Maddie asked with a smile.

"You're going to wear me out," Ethan said tickling her side.

She laughed. "Not you... not the big tough Auror."

"Not me," Ethan agreed flexing his muscles. "See? I'm a strong lad..."

"Mmm..." Maddie felt a rush of pleasure. "Yes you are."

Ethan gave her a lingering kiss. "I love you, Maddie."

"I love you too," Maddie wrapped her arms around him again.

"We'd better get a move on," Ethan said. "We have a party to set up."

"Right," Maddie sneaked one more kiss. "I can't wait until later."

"Me too," Ethan said winking at her. "I'm going to head into town and pick up the cake from the bakery. Anything else I need to get?"

"Some chocolate chip muffins for me?" Maddie batted her eyes.

"How can I say no to that look?" Ethan asked. "I'll get you a dozen."

Maddie grinned. "Soon as Will and Frankie leave, I'll start everything in the sitting room."

"Ring me on my mobile if anything changes," he told her.

"I will," Maddie kissed him again. "Hurry back."

186. 186

Thought we’d post a little early for you guys tonight. It’s the rest of Hannah’s birthday and then RJ faces Audrey for the first time since she found out about magic. We hope you enjoy this!

Frankie, Will and Hannah set off about a half hour later for pizza. They'd told their daughter she could pick wherever she wanted for her birthday and since pizza was her favourite food, the choice had been easy.

"Are you sure you want pizza?" Will tickled her. "Not Italian or fish and chips?"

"Pizza!" Hannah exclaimed giggling. "You said I could choose!"

"Pizza all the time," Will picked her up and swung her upside down.

Frankie laughed. "Will's happy that someone else shares his favourite food now."

"What's your favourite food, Mummy?" Hannah asked.

"Seaweed," Will answered. "Makes her hair shiny."

Hannah scrunched up her nose. "Really?"

"No," Frankie poked her husband in the side. "I do not like seaweed!"

"Then what is your favourite food?" Hannah asked.

"My dad's spaghetti," Frankie answered. "The world famous recipe."

"That is yummy," Hannah agreed. "Grandpa does a good job."

"I can never resist it," Frankie said. "No matter how many calories I'm watching out for."

Hannah linked her hands with her parents and felt so happy. She was part of a family and she had a little sister or brother on the way. She didn't know how she felt about that, but it didn't seem so bad the more she thought about it.

"I see my parents," Will said as they approached the restaurant.

Hannah turned and saw her Grandpa Ted and Grandma Abbie. She let go of her parents' hands and ran toward them.

"Hi Grandma!" she said happily. "Hi Grandpa! I missed you!"

Abbie picked her up and gave her a big hug. "Happy Birthday, sweetheart! I can't believe you are really five years old!"

Hannah giggled. "I told Daddy I'm getting old and he said he'd love me even when I'm grey."

Abbie smiled. "So will I."

"Let me see the birthday girl," Theodore said.

Hannah grinned as Ted gave her a hug. "Did Mia come with?"

"She went into the toy store to buy you a present," Abbie told her.

"She did?" Hannah asked brightly. "Really?"

"Well, it is your birthday," Frankie said.

Hannah grinned again. "It's been the best day!"

Mia came out of the toy store and grinned when she saw her cousin. "Happy Birthday, Hannah!"

"Thanks Mia," Hannah gave her cousin a hug. "I'm glad you're here today."

"Me too," Hannah said.

"Come on, princesses," Will said. "Aladdin here is very hungry."

Mia giggled. "I remember when you dressed up Uncle Will."

"I saw the pictures," Hannah said giggling, too.

"Yeah, yeah," Will said with a grin. "I looked pretty convincing, didn't I?"

"Might have to get you to wear it for me sometime," Frankie whispered in his ear.

"Frankie Gai Pan," he whispered back, making her laugh.

Cho and Neville were already waiting for them in the pizza place and Hannah's eyes lit up when she saw them.

"There's my girl!" Neville said giving her a big hug. "Your grandma and I have a surprise for you back at the beach house."

"You do?" Hannah asked. "Can I have a hint?"

"Not even a little hint," Cho said giving her a hug.

"I'm so glad you came today," Hannah said. "I really missed you."

"We wouldn't have missed it for the world," Cho said.

"And big congratulations are in order," Neville smiled at his youngest daughter.

Frankie grinned. "Can you believe it?"

"Not really," Cho teased, kissing her cheek. "But we're so happy for you three."

"You're going to be a great big sister," Mia told her cousin.

"Thank you," Hannah said. "I um... I'm excited about it now."

"Why don't you give Hannah her present now, Mia?" Abbie suggested.

"Okay," Mia agreed, handing her cousin the bag.

Hannah opened up the bag to reveal Belle's Castle Mini-Princess Play Set. "Thanks, Mia!" Hannah exclaimed.

"You're welcome," Mia grinned. "I hoped you didn’t' already have one."

"I can't wait to play with it!" Hannah said holding it up for her parents and grandparents to see.

"How lovely," Abbie smiled at her granddaughters.

The waitress came over and took their orders.

"May I please have extra cheese on my pizza?" Hannah asked politely.

"It's her birthday," Mia added.

The waitress smiled at Hannah. "How old are you today?"

"Five," Hannah answered, blushing.

The waitress motioned for a couple of her co-workers to join her. She knelt down in front of Hannah. "What's your name?"

Hannah blushed even more.

"Hannah," Mia told the waitress. "Her name is Hannah."

"Okay," the waitress said standing back up. She clapped her hands and the rest of the patrons turned in their direction. "Ladies and gentlemen! We have a birthday girl in the house today! Can everyone sing Happy Birthday to Hannah?"

Hannah turned a purplish red as everyone began to sing to her.

Will put his arm around her. "You okay, sweetheart?"

"Yeah," Hannah answered. "I'm just not used to everyone staring at me."

"It's okay, baby," Will said. "This is your special day."

Hannah nodded. "I know..."

The waitresses left and the other patrons returned their attention to their own meals. Hannah squeezed Will's hand.

"You're not really one for the spotlight, are you baby?" he asked, smoothing her hair back.

"Not really," Hannah admitted. "I just like being with you and Mummy."

Will smiled down at her. "Are you looking forward to going home?"

Hannah nodded. "I miss Jessica and school."

"Just a few more days," Will told her. "Then it's back to your royal bedroom."

Hannah smiled. She loved being at the beach with everyone, but she did miss their home back in London.

She enjoyed her pizza lunch and was surprised when the wait staff presented her with five balloons. She couldn't wait to show Emma when they returned to the beach house.

"You might blow away like Mary Poppins," Mia teased her as they headed back for the beach house. "Except she had an umbrella."

Hannah giggled. "Maybe you should help me carry some of them?"

"Sure," Mia agreed.

Cho hung back with her daughter. "How's the morning sickness, sweetheart?"

"Bad today," Frankie told her mother. "But right now I'm fine."

"That might be poetic justice," Cho teased. "Out of all three of you girls, you gave me the worst morning sickness..."

"Thanks Mum," Frankie said with a grin.

"You are taking your prenatal vitamins, right?" Cho asked. "And ginger tea always helped me..."

"I am taking the vitamins," Frankie answered. "And I'll try the tea."

Cho squeezed her hand. "That's my girl."

"I'm kind of scared," Frankie confessed.

Cho looked thoughtfully at her. "You already know what a good mum you are."

"It's not even so much that..." Frankie sighed. "I'm scared of the birth. I know it's going to hurt a lot."

"I'm not going to like to you," Cho said. "It does, but you get through it. And they can give you things to help with the pain."

"You'll be there, right?" Frankie asked.

"I'd like to see them try to keep me out," Cho said smiling at her.

"Thanks Mum," Frankie hugged her. "I want to be as good a mother as you."

"You will be," Cho said. "I'm so proud of all three of my girls."

"We did you proud," Frankie grinned.

"Yes you did," Cho said. "And if you ever have doubts about what a great mother you are, you look at that little girl up there...."

Frankie smiled. "I was saying earlier, I can't believe it's been almost a year since I met her."

"She was hiding under Luna's table scared to death," Cho said. "And look at her now..."

"I'm so proud of her," Frankie said softly. "She's had a lot to overcome."

"Have you heard anymore from David Wright?" Cho asked.

"Not a bloody word," Frankie's eyes grew dark. "And that's the way I plan on keeping it."

"Has Hannah had any more nightmares?" Cho asked.

"Not in a while now," Frankie answered.

"That's great," Cho said. "And she seems to be adjusting to the baby news."

"That too," Frankie nodded. "She helped us think up names the other day."

"What did you settle on?" Cho asked eagerly.

"If it's a girl, Isabelle Christine," Frankie said. "And if it's a boy, Nathaniel William."

"Those are lovely!" Cho exclaimed.

Frankie laughed as they approached the house. "Will wanted his name in there somehow."

"And I'm sure Adam and Mas would love to have another boy around," Cho said.

"I hope it's a boy," Frankie rubbed her stomach. "I mean, I'll love another girl too of course, but it'd be nice to have one of each."

Hannah and Mia hurried up the steps. Hannah figured everyone would be out on the beach and she hoped to catch up to Emma.

"We just need to get into our swimming costumes," Hannah was saying to Mia as she opened the door.

"Okay," Mia said. "Wait- what's that over there?" she pointed to the sitting room.

"I don't know," Hannah said stepping into the room.

"SURPRISE!"

Hannah jumped as her family and friends jumped out from hiding places.

"Surprise Han!" Emma was giggling uncontrollably. "Surprise for the birthday girl!"

"Jessica!" Hannah exclaimed seeing her school friend. "I didn't know you were coming!"

"Your aunt came and got me," Jessica smiled at her. "Happy Birthday Hannah."

Chiaki's twins toddled up to their cousin and gave her a big hug. "Boons!" Mas exclaimed reaching for one of them in Hannah's hand. "Want boon!"

"You can have one," Hannah said, pulling a blue one from the bunch. "And a pink one for Sukie."

Sukie clapped her hands happily. "Oooooh!"

"That was nice of you Hannah," Chiaki kissed her niece on the cheek. "What do you two say to your cousin?"

"More boon?" Mas asked looking up at his mother.

"No," Chiaki said. "You tell Hannah thank you."

"Tank," Mas said smiling up at Hannah.

"Tank, Han," Sukie said taking her pink balloon.

Emma plopped down in front of her younger cousins. "Mas, guess how many Han is today!"

"Don't know," Mas shook his head.

Emma held up her hand. "FIVE!"

Mas imitated her. "High five!"

Emma grinned and clapped his hand against hers. "That's right, Mas. You get fifty billion million points."

"Me too!" Sukie said. "Me too Em!"

"You get fifty billion million points too, Sukie," Emma said patting her hand. "Because you're pretty!"

"Tank," Sukie smiled. "Em is pretty too."

Emma beamed at her before returning her attention to Hannah. "Em give Han present now!"

"You have a present for me?" Hannah asked.

Emma nodded. "Come with Em."

"Okay," Hannah slid her hand into Emma's.

Emma dragged her over to Allison. "Mummy! Can Em give Han present now?"

"You don't wait to wait?" Allison asked.

Em shook her head. "Want to now, Mummy! Peas?"

"Okay baby," Allison said. "Let me see if I can find it in here..."

Hannah's eyes grew large when she saw the table that was stacked with presents. "Those are all for me?"

Allison grinned. "That they are!"

Emma watched carefully as her mother looked on the table for her present. "It was the one in the purple paper, Mummy!"

"I see it," Allison located the small box. "Here you go, Em."

Emma squealed and took the box. "Here, Han!"

"Thanks Em," Hannah carefully peeled away the pretty paper and found a small box inside. In it were two bracelets.

Emma started to jump up and down. "Like Sissy's!"

"They're best friend bracelets," Hannah said softly.

"Cause Han is Em's bestest friend!" Emma exclaimed.

Hannah smiled at her. "And Em is Han's bestest friend," she said, handing her one of the bracelets.

Frankie watched this and started to cry. She was quite emotional these days and seeing something like that did her in. "That's the sweetest thing I've ever seen!"

"Mummy?" Hannah stood up, the other bracelet still in her hand. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing, baby," Frankie said wiping at her eyes. "Let me help you put that one on."

"Thank you," Hannah said as her mother clasped the bracelet on her small wrist. "It fits perfect, Em!"

"Em's too!" Emma said happily.

Hannah gave her best friend a hug. "Thank you so, so much Em."

Neville tapped Hannah on the shoulder. "Your grandma and I have something for you too. Are you ready for your surprise?"

"Yes!" Hannah said eagerly.

"Well, when Caroline was about your age," Neville began. "We gave her a present for Christmas that was like what we are giving you."

Emma covered her mouth with her hand so she wouldn't tell the secret.

Cho stepped through the crowd carrying a puppy. Hannah gasped, speechless.

"Happy Birthday sweetheart," Cho said, handing the wiggly little animal to her.

Hannah eagerly took the puppy in her hands and hugged it to her. "She's so cute, Grandpa!"

Neville grinned. "I had to work pretty hard on your mum for this gift. I'm glad you like her, Hannah."

"What kind of dog is that?" Ethan asked.

"It's a beagle," Cho answered. "They're pretty easy dogs to keep."

"What are you going to name her, Hannah?" Jessica asked.

"I don't know yet," Hannah said softly. "I have to think of a good name."

"I’m sure you'll come up with a good one," Will said to his daughter.

Hannah laughed as the puppy licked her cheek.

"Maxi will have a best friend now too!" Emma told Hannah.

"Right," Hannah agreed with a grin.

"Good thing Max is neutered," Jon said under his breath.

Allison nudged him in the ribs. "Jon!"

"The last thing we need is some Max Jr's," Jon said with a grin.

"I already have my hands full enough with you," Allison said grinning back at him.

"I'd like you to have your hands full of me later," Jon commented.

"If your son cooperates tonight and goes to bed on time..." Allison promised.

Jon gave her a quick kiss. "I'll make sure of that then."

In the corner, Hermione handed Harry a plate of food. "It seems like just yesterday we were celebrating Saffy's fifth birthday, doesn't it?"

Harry looked over at his daughter, who was talking to Alexa. "I wish she was five still."

"Back when you could protect her from getting hurt?" Hermione guessed.

"Something like that," Harry agreed. "I could protect her from anything at that point."

"She's going to be fine," Hermione said. "She's strong."

"I know," Harry said. "Like you."

Hermione smiled at him. "I was going to say like you."

"She got the best of both of us," Harry put an arm around her.

"Even our hair," Hermione said dryly. "Or maybe that should be the worst..."

Harry laughed. "Probably a worst."

"I love you," Hermione said giving him a kiss.

"Love you too," Harry touched his forehead to hers.

"There you two go again," Saffron said coming up behind them. "Getting gooey-eyed and mushy..."

"We were talking about you," Harry said with a grin. "And how we passed down great traits from both of us."

"Starting with the unruly hair," Saffron mused.

"Which is why you always plait it," Hermione smiled fondly at her baby daughter.

"I'm glad we decided to stay the rest of the holiday," Saffron said. "I wouldn't have anted to miss this."

"I'm sure Hannah's glad to have you here," Hermione said. "And it seems like you're feeling better."

Saffron nodded. "I'm trying to keep my mind off of him. It works sometimes, but when I'm alone..."

"You'll get through it," Hermione assured her. "I know you will, Saffy."

"Thanks, Mum," Saffron said, wishing that were true.

"Sure you don't want me and Ethan to go scare him up a bit?" Harry offered, only half serious.

Saffron laughed. "I might take you up on that someday."

"Looks like Puddles is making friends," Hermione motioned to where Saffron's dog was nosing at Hannah's new puppy.

"A girlfriend, perhaps?" Saffron asked. "Well, if he wanted to rob the cradle..."

Hermione laughed. "It's a good thing he's fixed."

"I still don't think he's forgiven us for that," Harry said winking at Hermione.

"Come here baby," Saffron scooped up her dog. "Are Grandpa and Grandma making fun of you?"

Puddles let out a bark.

"See?" Harry asked.

Saffron laughed as Puddles tried to lick her face. "I'm so glad I have this guy," she said. "He's been making me feel so much better."

"Too bad you can't take him back to school with you," Hermione said.

"I tried," Saffron replied. "I pleaded to Jules, to Professor Wood... it's the only time my persuasive powers had no effect. So not fair."

"You could see if your mother could pass down an executive order," Harry said thoughtfully.

"Would you?" Saffron turned to her mother. "Pretty, pretty please? It'd only be for a year, and I think since I'm Head Girl I should get at least one special privilege."

"Thanks, Harry," Hermione muttered.

"Come on Mum," Saffron leaned against her. "Pretty, pretty, pretty please?"

"I thought you didn't want any special treatment," Hermione said. "You said you never wanted to coast by on your last name or who your parents were..."

"But that was before I knew you could help me get Puddles to school," Saffron begged.

"I'll see what I can do," Hermione promised.

"Thank you!" Saffron threw her arms around her mother, smushing the dog between them.

Puddles yelped and Saffron pulled away from her mother. "Sorry, baby!"

Puddles scrambled down and headed into the thick of the party. "He probably wants to see the puppy again," Saffron gazed after him.

"I think it's time for cake," Harry said. "Unless Ron got to it first..."

"Then we better hurry," Hermione got up.

Hannah picked up her puppy and carried him over to the table where her birthday cake was. Truth be told, she was still quite full from lunch.

"Maybe we can share some cake," she told the dog. "And I have to think of a pretty name for you."

The puppy looked up at her and Hannah smiled. "I bet you miss your mummy and daddy, but don't worry."

The little dog licked at her chin and Hannah giggled. "I can't wait to show you my room. I hope Mummy and Daddy will let you sleep in there with me."

"I think that can be arranged," Will said smiling at her.

"Really?" Hannah asked. "I'll make her a little bed and clean up after her and everything!"

"I know you will," Frankie said sitting down beside her daughter. "Are you ready for your cake?"

"Just a little piece," Hannah said. "I had so much pizza!"

"Coming right up, birthday girl," Maddie said, slicing the cake.

"Thank you," Hannah said. "It looks yummy."

"It's Chocolate," Maddie said.

"My favourite," Hannah dug eagerly into the piece.

After everyone had cake and ice cream, Hannah opened the rest of her presents. She couldn't believe how many presents she'd received. She kept saying thank you and giving people hugs. Her new puppy stayed with her the entire time and toward the end of the evening, Hannah was quite sleepy.

"I think it's time for bed," Will squatted down in front of her. "Your mum and I will pack all your new things up for you."

Hannah nodded, her eyes were drooping. Will picked her up and Hannah rested her head on his shoulder. "Thank you, Daddy."

"You're welcome baby," Will said softly. "Let's bring your pup, eh? Did you figure out a name for her?"

Frankie knelt down and picked up the puppy. "She's the cutest thing, Hannah."

"She is," Hannah agreed. "I was thinking I might name her...Belle."

"A perfect name," Will smiled at his daughter. "Good job, love."

"Can she sleep in my bed, please?" Hannah asked.

"We can try that," Frankie nodded. "Let me put her outside first and see if she does her duty."

"I can do that," Will said. "It's cooler out now. I'll be back in time to give our girl a kiss good night."

"All right," Frankie took Hannah while Will headed out with the puppy. "I'm glad you had such a good day, sweetheart."

"It was one of my most favourite days," Hannah said keeping her voice down so she wouldn't wake Casey or Emma, who were already sleeping.

"Mine too," Frankie said, helping her change into pyjamas.

"My most favourite day was when I met you," Hannah said sleepily.

Frankie smiled at her. "That was the best day of my life, baby."

Hannah gave her a hug. "I love you more than anything, Mummy."

"I love you too," Frankie held her closely. "You'll always be my best girl Hannah."

"Even when I'm grey?" Hannah asked.

Frankie laughed softly. "Even when you're grey." she tweaked her daughter's nose.

Hannah slid underneath the covers. She was fighting sleep because she wanted to see Belle and she wanted to give Will a kiss good night.

"Daddy will be back any minute," Frankie said, brushing some hair off Hannah's forehead.

Hannah smiled up at her mother. "Okay."

Will indeed came back in a few minutes later. "She's all set for the night."

"Thanks, Daddy," Hannah said as he set the puppy down on the bed. "Come here, Belle."

The beagle sniffed the covers before crawling towards her new mistress.

"Good night, sweetheart," Frankie said softly. "Sleep well and if you need anything, you know where we are."

"Thanks Mummy," Hannah blinked as Belle snuggled against her.

"Good night, baby," Will said pecking her on the cheek. "Happy Birthday."

"Night Daddy," Hannah whispered.

Frankie and Will crept out of the room, leaving the door slightly ajar.

"What a day," Frankie yawned. "I'm exhausted."

"We can sleep in tomorrow," he said putting his arm around her.

"You might," Frankie said. "I may be up at the arse crack of dawn in the loo."

"I'll hold your hair back," Will promised.

"You don't have to get up," Frankie glanced at him.

"What kind of husband would I be, if I didn't?" Will asked her.

Frankie smiled at him. "I happen to think you're perfect."

"Let's see what you say about me when you're in labour," Will mused.

"Nothing bad, I bet." Frankie said, changing into her pyjama trousers and tank top.

"Tosh was telling me that Chiaki said some unrepeatable things about him when she was in labour," Will said taking off his trousers and stripping down to his boxer shorts.

"I happen to be very fond of painkillers," Frankie grinned. "Which I do plan on using..."

Will grinned. "No natural childbirth for you, eh?"

"No thank you," Frankie shuddered as they got into bed.

"This was a good day," Will said happily.

"Yes it was," Frankie snuggled against him. "Will?"

"Yeah?"

"Promise you'll still look at me like this when I'm fat?" she asked.

"You're always beautiful to me," Will said giving her a kiss. "Always."

"Thank you," Frankie said softly, her arms around him. "I love you so much."

"I love you too," Will said holding her close.

"And our little family," Frankie said. "Which just got a bit bigger..."

Will closed his eyes. "Sounds perfect to me."

"Our life is pretty perfect," Frankie agreed, her head on his shoulder.

Will held his wife, thinking about how long ago it seemed that she'd ran from the idea of any commitment. And now, they were happily married with a happy, healthy five-year old little girl and a baby on the way. It really didn't get better than this.

*** *** ***

RJ waited a few days before attempting to talk to Audrey. He wanted to give her time to cool off and to perhaps get used to the idea of who and what he was. He just hoped that she hadn't said anything to Victoria. The last thing RJ wanted to do was make things even more difficult for his brother.

Taking a deep breath, he pushed open the door to the pub. He'd asked Jon when Audrey was working and decided to come by around mid shift, hoping to catch her on a break.

"RJ," Victoria said spotting him. "How are you?"

"Good," RJ nodded. "How are you, Vic?"

"Keeping busy," Victoria said. "Ready for your brother to come back and take some of this off my hands."

"A few more days," RJ relaxed, as he realised Audrey hadn't told Victoria anything about magic.

"What can I get you?" Victoria asked.

"Is Audrey around?" RJ asked.

"She's in the back on her break," Victoria said.

"Mind if I go back and have a word?" RJ crossed his fingers.

"I don't see why not," Victoria replied before heading down the bar to take an order.

"Thanks," RJ said, quickly heading to the back room. He knocked softly before poking his head around.

Audrey looked up from her sandwich and rolled her eyes when she saw him. "Go away, RJ."

"Can I please just have five minutes?" he asked, stepping inside. "I owe you an apology and an explanation."

"No need to explain," Audrey said standing up and throwing the rest of her food away. "You lied to me about everything and if you're afraid I was going to tell Vic..."

"I didn't lie," RJ objected. "I just... I didn't tell you everything. But I was going to."

"I'm sure you were," Audrey said angrily.

"Why won't you believe me?" RJ asked. "Audrey--"

"You lied to me," Audrey interjected. "You lied to me about everything right from the start."

"I never lied!" RJ protested. "I just... I wanted to get to know you better before I dropped something like that on you."

"Some world that you live in," Audrey muttered. "Lies and deceit."

"Audrey," RJ moved in front of the door, blocking her path. "Why won't you at least hear me out? And don't call me a liar again."

Audrey looked as if she was going to consider it for a moment, but she shook her head.

"Come on," RJ reached for her.

"Why didn't you tell me?" Audrey asked.

"I really just wanted to get to know you first," RJ said. "And I wanted you to get to know me... without you thinking I was using magic or anything like that."

Tears were in Audrey's eyes, but she tried to stave them off. The truth was that she really did fancy him and she'd been so hurt and disappointed when she'd found out that he'd lied. "Your brother's been lying to Victoria. It isn't right. She has a right to know..."

"He's going to tell her," RJ said quietly. "When he gets back from holiday."

"For his sake, I hope she reacts better than I did," Audrey said quietly.

RJ looked at her intently. "Is there anything I can do or say to make you give me another chance?"

"I don't know," Audrey said truthfully. "I don't know if I can get past this. "

"I'll tell you anything you want to know about it," RJ said. "Anything you want to know about me. No holds barred."

Audrey considered him for a moment. "What is it that you really do for a living?"

"I play a sport called Quidditch," RJ briefly described the sport to her. "I'm the Keeper for the team."

"You do all that on a broom?" Audrey asked in disbelief.

RJ nodded. "Yeah..."

"And you went to school----"

"A castle, called Hogwarts," RJ told her.

"With Saffron and Andrew and Alexa?" Audrey guessed.

RJ nodded. "Saffron and Alexa are two years younger than Andrew and me. They're still in school- one more year to go."

Audrey put her head in her hands. "It's a completely different world."

"But it's one you can be part of," RJ squeezed her hand.

"RJ," Audrey said quietly.

"I really, really like you," he said softly.

"I like you, too," Audrey admitted.

He chanced a smile. "So can we try again?"

"I---I might need some time to get used to this," Audrey replied.

"Of course," RJ nodded, stepping back. "I um... I understand."

"But I'd like to try," Audrey said.

He smiled again. "I'm glad to hear that."

"If you lie to me again, I'll kick your arse," Audrey said smiling at him for the first time that evening.

RJ grinned. "And I actually believe you there."

"I'm going to have a million questions," Audrey told him.

"Ask away," he said softly. "Whatever you want to know..."

Audrey looked at her watch. "Actually, I have to get back on duty. But, maybe we could get together tomorrow for lunch?"

"Tomorrow it is," RJ agreed instantly. "And..."

"Yes?"

RJ knew he was risking a lot, but he couldn't help himself. He leaned in and gently kissed her.

Audrey pulled away. "I-I really have to get back. I'll see you tomorrow around noon?"

"Noon," he nodded. "Thanks..."

"Good night," Audrey said before heading out of the back room.

RJ stayed for a few more moments, feeling rather elated.

He hadn't expected her to give him a second chance, but now that she had, he was going to do whatever it took to make sure he didn't screw this up again.

187. 187

This chapter wraps up the Brighton visit, and also brings Saffron and Andrew face to face again for the first time since the day after their breakup. Next chapter deals with the long awaited recital auditions ;) Cast your votes, savvy? ;)

Julie had planned on taking Ashley to Diagon Alley for her school things, but Saffron and Alexa had offered to do it and Ashley, wanting to hang out some more with her aunt, had begged to let her go with.

They were currently in Madam Malkin's getting Ashley fitted for her standard black school robes. "Three sets please," Saffron consulted the list Julie had given her.

Ashley smiled as she looked at herself in the mirror. This was really happening. She was finally going to Hogwarts. Shopping for her things made it seem even more real.

"They look good on you, Ash." Alexa said.

"I just hope I'll be adding the Gryffindor colours to them," Ashley said. "I mean, I'd be happy with anything, really, but I really want to be in Gryffindor with you guys."

"I'm sure you will be," Alexa patted her shoulder.

"I hope so," Ashley said holding up her arms so the seamstress could finish the measurements.

"It seems like just yesterday, I was in here getting fitted for my first set," Alexa said thoughtfully. "I remember how nervous and in awe I was of everything."

"That was before you knew Aunt Saffy, right?" Ashley asked.

Alexa nodded. "And since neither of my parents were magical, they were just as lost as I was."

"But you were really brave and you went anyway," Ashley finally put her arms back down and took the set of robes off.

"I don't know if I was brave," Alexa shrugged.

"I think you were," Ashley hopped down from the platform.

"I do too," Saffron said grinning at her friend.

"I'll just go and get her robes then, shall I?" the seamstress asked. "It'll be a few minutes."

"We'll be here," Saffron said looking at a set of dress robes.

"Hello, Potter,” a familiar voice said from behind her.

Saffron didn't even have to turn around. She knew who that voice belonged to. "What do you want, Mary Ellen?"

Mary Ellen sniffed. "I suppose I should say congratulations."

"Thank you," Saffron said turning around and looking properly at her.

"Even if you only got it because your sister is Deputy Headmistress," Mary Ellen added.

"My mother had nothing to do with Aunt Saffy getting Head Girl!" Ashley retorted before she could stop herself.

Mary Ellen raised an eyebrow. "Your mother?" she asked. "Great- more favouritism."

"My sister doesn't play favourites," Saffron glared at her rival. "Now if you'll excuse us..."

"I'll see you on the train," Mary Ellen glared at her. "Potter."

"Cow," Saffron retorted.

Alexa hid her smirk. "Come on," she said, her lips twitching. "We should go to Flourish and Blotts."

"What about my robes?" Ashley asked.

"They're ready for us at the front," Saffron told her.

"Oh," Ashley said. "Okay."

Saffron paid for her nieces robes with the gold her sister had given her. "I say before we go to Flourish and Blotts we go get some ice cream."

"I'm all for that," Alexa said. "Shopping does seem to make one hungry."

Saffron led the way to Florean's, but was dismayed to see how crowded it was. "We'll be waiting in there an hour just to get served," she said in disappointment.

"How about we go into Muggle London?" Alexa suggested. "We can come right back here afterwards."

"Sounds good," Saffron replied. "You okay with that, Ash?"

"Sure," Ashley said, excited. She had never been into Muggle London without her parents and this made her feel quite grown up.

"I'm sure Jules won't mind," Saffron reassured her niece. "And we'll only be a few minutes."

"Okay," Ashley stayed close to her aunt as they wove through the crowds. Saffron shrank down Ashley's parcels and put them in her bag so no one would see what they were.

They arrived at the Leaky Cauldron and Ashley tried to act cool as they walked inside the pub. She couldn't help looking around though at the assorted group of people inside.

She saw some people that looked around her age and wondered if she would see them at Hogwarts- and possibly even be friends with them.

The three girls hurried out of the pub and walked the short distance to an ice cream parlour. Alexa smiled. "I cannot wait to get a hot fudge sundae with extra fudge."

"That sounds soooo good," Saffron said covetously.

"I think I'd like butterscotch," Ashley said. "That's my favourite."

"The ice cream place right down the street here has great butterscotch." Saffron said. "Sean and I used to go here..."

"He certainly has been around the beach house a lot these past few days," Alexa commented.

"He's really sweet," Saffron said absently. "He felt bad about that whole Audrey thing."

Ashley liked Sean well enough, but not as much as Andrew. Even though she had a crush on the older boy, she knew nothing would ever come of it. Besides, anyone with a half a brain knew that Andrew belonged with her aunt.

"This looks better," Saffron held the door open for her friend and niece.

There were only a handful of people inside the shop and they didn't even have to wait to place their order.

"This is the life," Saffron said with a grin.

Alexa giggled. "No waiting. Great idea, Saf."

Saffron grinned. "So basically we just have to get Ash's books and some supplies and we should be finished."

Ashley smiled as the waitress set their orders down in front of them. She'd never seen a sundae look so delicious. "Thanks, Aunt Saffy."

"You're welcome," Saffron answered. "I really can't wait for you to be at school."

"Me too," Ashley said. "I'm really, really glad that you're going to be there. I'd be right terrified if I had to go in there without knowing anyone."

"You'll be fine," Saffron reassured her. "Everyone's going to love you Ash."

"Except for Snape, but don't take that personal," Alexa told her. "He hates everyone except for the Slytherins."

"Mummy told me about him," Ashley shuddered. "I don't want to meet him."

"Don't let him get to you," Saffron said. "And given that your last name is Malfoy, he might go a little easier on you than he did Julie, Ethan and me."

"Yeah right," Alexa interjected. "I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but just be careful around Snape. He doesn't like anyone associated with a Potter."

"I will," Ashley promised.

Saffron spotted a familiar face just outside the shop and she waved. Sean came in a few minutes later carrying a few bags.

"I was hoping I'd run into you lot," Sean said smiling at them. "I was buying some things for school..."

"So were we," Saffron smiled at him. "And the ice cream parlour was too crowded so we came here."

"Great minds, eh?" Sean asked. "Do you mind if I join you?"

"Sure," Saffron moved over so he could slide in.

The waitress came over and took his order and Saffron held up her hand. "You always get the same thing, Sean. Three scoops of English Toffee."

"You remember," he said with a grin.

"How could I forget?" Saffron asked smiling back at him. "You ordered it every single time we came in here."

"Did you two come in here a lot?" Ashley asked.

"We did," Saffron said before taking a bite of her sundae.

"Almost every date," Sean nodded.

"RJ and me came here a few times with them, too," Alexa told Ashley.

"I can't believe that was two years ago," Sean leaned back in the booth.

"We've grown up a lot since then," Saffron said.

Sean nodded as his ice cream was brought over. "Thanks."

The four of them enjoyed their ice cream and Ashley wished the day wouldn't end. She liked being treated like an equal. Saffron and Alexa didn't talk down to her. Things were pretty near perfect until she looked up and saw that they weren't the only ones in the mood for ice cream.

"Just you wait until you try the chocolate," RJ was saying, his arm draped around Audrey's shoulder. Ashley saw Andrew and was about to tell her aunt when she noticed that Andrew was with another girl, too.

Disappointment flooded through her as she turned and looked out the window. She hoped Saffron wouldn't see them.

"My treat," RJ said holding the door open for the others.

"Thanks," Audrey smiled at him.

Andrew hadn't noticed Saffron and Ashley tried to keep her aunt's attention elsewhere, but it was too late.

Saffron noticed her ex. "We should go," she said, dropping her spoon into her dish.

"Sean, Ash and I haven't finished our ice cream," Alexa said. She looked over at her friend. "Saf?"

"Well then I'm just going to the loo..." Saffron quickly got up.

"Saf, are you okay?" Alexa asked turning around. She noticed RJ and Andrew and their dates. "Oh..."

"Just come get me when you're done," Saffron said quietly. "Sorry Sean..." She hurried away from the table.

Andrew finally saw Saffron as she hurried past them and into the loo.

"What are you thinking about getting, Andrew?" his date, Colleen asked. She was a friend of Audrey's and he hadn't seen the harm in going out as friends. That was until he'd seen Saffron.

"Um... I'm really not that hungry anymore," he said. "Will you lot excuse me for a minute?"

"Sure," she said softly.

"Thanks," Andrew hurried in the direction he'd seen Saffron disappear in. He knew she was still angry about what had gone on, but he had to try talking to her again.

He knocked on the bathroom door. "Saf?"

"Go away," she said coldly.

"I didn't know you were going to be here," Andrew said.

"Well know you know," Saffron responded icily. "And you can leave."

"Can you please come out?" Andrew asked. "I thought you were in Brighton."

Saffron opened the door a crack. "Why should you care?" she snapped.

"It's just a friends thing," he tried explaining to her. "She's one of Audrey's friends. It's nothing serious."

Saffron shrugged and rolled her eyes. "As if I care," she tried her hardest to sound convincing.

"You back with Sean, then?" Andrew asked.

"That's none of your business," Saffron tried to shut the door but he pushed it back open.

"You know the break-up was your idea," Andrew reminded her. "You were mad that I didn't believe you."

Saffron huffed angrily. "After everything we talked about that day you came to Brighton, and me agreeing to not say anything to RJ, you flew off the handle and accused me of telling Audrey about us. You didn't even give me the chance to defend myself."

"And I'm sorry about that, but now I know the truth---"

"Now it's all fine and good and all that," Saffron shook her head. "I could never be with someone that doesn't trust me."

"Saffy, are you alright?" Sean asked coming up behind Andrew.

"Why don't you give us a minute?" Andrew said dismissively.

"Don't talk to him like that," Saffron yanked open the door and pushed past him.

"Saf---" Andrew said, reaching for her.

"Leave her alone, mate!" Sean said getting between them.

"Who the hell are you to come in here?" Andrew asked angrily. "You're the one who started all this!"

"You think I did this on purpose?" Sean asked taken aback.

"Did you?" Andrew glared at him.

"Of course he didn't!" Saffron exclaimed. "You know what believe it or not, Andrew, the world doesn't revolve around you and Junior over there."

"I never said it did--" Andrew began.

"You didn't have to," Saffron cut him off.

RJ left Audrey and Colleen at the table before going over to see what was going on with Andrew and Saffron.

"Great," Saffron rolled her eyes. "Now it's a party."

"Could you keep your voices down?" RJ asked. "We don't want to get thrown out of here."

"Don't worry," Saffron grabbed Sean's hand. "We're leaving."

"Well, Grant you didn't waste any time did you?" RJ asked. "You take after Christina more than you let on..."

"Shut up RJ," Saffron was seething. "You don't know anything about Sean."

"So why don't you keep your mouth shut," Sean said glaring at the two other men.

RJ flexed his hand. "I'll shut yours for you."

"Do it and you don't even want to know what will be sprouting out of your arse," Saffron's green eyes were extremely dark.

"Just drop it," Andrew said trying not to show how much it hurt to see her with another bloke. "Let's get back to the girls."

"Right," RJ nodded.

"Yes, get back to your dates," Saffron said glaring at Andrew.

"Saffron,-" Andrew tried one more time. "It's not a--"

But, his ex-girlfriend had walked away from him before he'd had the chance.

"What are the odds?" Andrew asked RJ. "Hmm? That we'd end up in the exact same place as her?"

"And as always, it was a great pleasure," RJ rolled his eyes. "Come on. We were having fun."

"Yeah," Andrew said watching glumly as Saffron exited the shop with her friends in tow.

"Don't let it bug you," RJ said.

"Easier said than done," Andrew said. "Remember how you felt when you first saw Lexie with another bloke?"

"I know," RJ replied. "Believe me, I know. But it'll get better, mate."

Andrew nodded and followed his friend back to the table.

"Sorry about that," RJ smiled winningly at Audrey.

"Everything okay?" Audrey asked.

"Fine," RJ slid his arm around her. "What did you order me?"

"Banana split," Audrey said. "I figured we could split it."

"Split a split?" RJ asked dramatically, making Audrey and Colleen laugh.

"I ordered us a sundae," Colleen told Andrew. "I know you said you weren't that hungry..."

"Thanks," Andrew tried to muster up some enthusiasm.

"So, Audrey told me that you were into movies," Colleen said trying to engage him in conversation.

"Yeah," Andrew nodded. "I like a lot of different films."

"Me too," Colleen smiled at him.

"What's your favourite?" Andrew asked.

"I can't really pick a favourite," Colleen replied. "But I love the scary ones the best."

"Cool," Andrew drummed his fingers on the table.

Colleen shared a look with Audrey.

RJ sighed- he knew Andrew was taking the break-up hard, but he was hoping his best mate could at least be conversational. "Andrew's a real Tarantino fan."

"His work is amazing," Colleen agreed. "I especially liked Pulp Fiction."

"That's nice," Andrew said absently.

"It's his favourite film," RJ prompted.

Andrew didn't elaborate and Colleen sighed in disappointment.

RJ cast an apologetic look at the two girls. "Um... so what did you guys want to do after this?"

Andrew felt guilty for bringing the rest of the group down. It was unfair to them and he had been having a good time before he'd ran into Saffron. "I'm rotten company, aren't I?"

"I've had better," Colleen said truthfully.

"Want to start again?" Andrew asked her. "I'm Andrew Kirke and you are----"

"Colleen Moore," she said with a small smile.

Andrew shook her hand. "Nice to meet you, Colleen."

"Likewise," Colleen replied as their ice cream was set down in front of them.

"This looks really good," RJ sat up. "Nice pick."

"I'm glad you like it," Audrey said grinning at him. "But don't think that you're getting all of it, RJ. We're splitting this. That's half and half."

"We'll see," RJ said conspiratorially. "I eat fast, Marlowe."

Colleen handed Andrew a spoon. "I'll let you get first dibs..."

Andrew hadn't realised he would be splitting a sundae with Colleen, but he forced a smile. "No, you go ahead. I'll just sort of take from the side here."

"A true gentleman," Colleen said smiling at him.

"That's me," Andrew nodded. "Always ladies first, right RJ?"

RJ looked up from where he was taking a huge bite of the sundae. "Uh... right."

"One track mind while he's eating," Andrew said shaking his head.

"Your dad and your brother are like that too," Audrey commented.

"You obviously haven't seen Maddie and Emma eat yet," Andrew said.

"I met Maddie once," Audrey told him. "I don't know how she stays so thin. I'd love to learn her secret."

"How many brothers and sisters do you have?" Colleen asked RJ.

Andrew laughed. "Too many to count."

"I have five," RJ answered. "My brother Jon, works with Audrey at the pub, Josh is his twin, then I have Drew and Darla, who are my twin sisters, and then Maddie."

"Two sets of twins!" Colleen exclaimed. "Your parents must have had their hands full!"

RJ laughed. "They did. Especially with my brothers."

Colleen looked at Andrew. "How about you?"

"I'm an only child," Andrew replied.

"He's lived vicariously through my family," RJ said. "My brothers and sisters treat him like another one of us."

"They treat me much better than that," Andrew said with a grin.

RJ grinned back. He was glad that his friend seemed to have snapped out of the funk seeing Saffron had obviously put him in.

"You weren't kidding when you said this place had great ice cream," Audrey said.

"I'm glad that you liked it," RJ said grinning at her. He'd been given a second chance with her and so far things seemed to be going great.

That certainly couldn't be said for Saffron. She hadn't said much since they'd left the ice cream parlour. They'd said goodbye to Sean and the three girls were not walking down the sidewalks of Diagon Alley.

"Saffy," Alexa touched her friend on the shoulder. "Come on. You know you'll feel better if you talk about it."

"Nothing to talk about," Saffron said crisply.

"There's plenty to talk about," Alexa countered. "You're forgetting, I know you better than anyone."

Saffron stopped walking and looked at her best friend and her niece. "I just---I didn't think he'd have moved on so soon!"

Ashley felt terrible for her aunt. "Maybe he was just going out as friends," she suggested.

"And he accused Sean of orchestrating the whole thing to break us up," Saffron continued. "Sean would never do something like that!"

"I know he wouldn't," Alexa reassured her.

"I was doing fine," Saffron said wiping at her eyes. "Until I saw him."

Alexa hugged her. "And you'll be okay again. It's hard. I've been there. You just have to take it one day at a time. And Ash and I will be there to help you."

"Absolutely," Ashley agreed.

"Thanks," Saffron managed a smile. "I'm sorry. We were having fun and I'm ruining it."

"No more talk about boys," Alexa said firmly.

"They're gross anyways," Ashley nodded.

"Gross and smelly," Saffron said managing a smile.

"That's right," Alexa said, taking her best friend's arm. "Come on- a trip to the bookstore will cheer you up."

"It always does," Saffron said linking her other arm with Ashley's.

"My mum gave me a list of all the books I need," Ashley pulled it out of her pocket.

"And as a special treat, I'll buy you a book," Saffron told her niece. "They really have a great collection of magical art books, Ash."

"Really?" Ashley asked excitedly.

"Yes," Saffron said smiling at her.

"This is so cool," Ashley sighed happily.

They arrived back at the beach house just before dinner and Ashley was grinning from ear to ear.

"I take it shopping went well?" Julie asked her sister and daughter with a smile.

"Your daughter is all ready for Hogwarts," Saffron said handing over the bags and parcels.

"Thanks Saffy," Julie said.

"Aunt Saffy bought me this art book," Ashley was clutching it in her hands. "It's soooo cool Mum!"

"Saffy, you didn't have to do that," Julie said.

"I wanted to," Saffron set her own bags down. "I'm excited that she's going to be at school with me."

"That was very sweet of you to bring her along with you and Alexa," Julie said gathering up some of the bags. "Come on, Ashley. Let's put these in your room and you can tell me about your shopping trip."

"Okay," Ashley followed her mother upstairs. Saffron went to put her own things away and Alexa decided to go look for her boyfriend.

"I can't believe that you're starting school," Julie said to her daughter as they put away her new things. "It seems like just yesterday you were starting primary school."

Ashley smiled. "I can't believe it either. I keep looking at my letter like it's going to disappear." she pulled a slender box out of one of the bags. "Look, it's my wand. It's so pretty, Mum."

Julie felt a little teary-eyed as she looked at her daughter's wand. "It is, Ashley."

"Are you okay?" Ashley asked.

"Absolutely," Julie said wiping at her eyes. "Just getting emotional. My little girl is growing up."

"I'll still be your little girl," Ashley hugged her mother. "I promise."

Julie hugged her tightly. "I'm so proud of you."

"Thanks," Ashley said. "I hope you're proud of me at school too. I'm going to study so hard and get the best marks."

"And you've already got two friends there to make it easier," Julie said. "Alexa and Saffy will help you any way they can."

Ashley smiled and nodded. "I hope I meet some new people. It'll be nice to have some friends that are my age too."

"I bet you will," Julie said thoughtfully. "I remember when I started at Hogwarts, I already knew Chiaki, but I met some really nice people on the boat ride to the castle."

"I have to take a boat?" Ashley asked. "I thought we took the train..."

'Um, well yes you do, but once you arrive, they take the first years to the castle on these boats," Julie said.

"Oh," Ashley looked thoughtfully at her new art book. "And then we go in and get sorted, right?"

"Exactly," Julie replied.

"I really, really hope I get in Gryffindor." Ashley said fervently.

"I think you have an excellent chance," Julie said sitting down on the edge of her daughter's bed.

"Good," Ashley said. "And I can't wait to take your class."

"I cannot wait to teach you," Julie said smiling at her daughter. "Now, let's see that book..."

Ashley giggled. "Okay Mum. It looks really cool- they show these new ways to draw buildings and stuff..."

Downstairs, Alexa had finally managed to locate Gabriel outside. "Hey you," she smiled.

He looked up from his book. "Hey. You already finished with your shopping?"

"Just got back," Alexa gave him a kiss.

"How'd it go?" Gabriel asked .

"Fine," Alexa slid next to him on the bench. "We had a little run in with Andrew, but other than that, drama free."

"Andrew?" Gabriel asked. "Uh-oh."

"He was with RJ, Audrey, and some other girl," Alexa reported. "Might have been a date- I didn't ask."

"So, I take it RJ made up with Audrey?" Gabriel asked.

"Seems that way," Alexa shrugged.

Gabriel looked toward the beach house. "Couldn't have been easy for Saffron. Is she okay?"

"She was pretty upset," Alexa frowned. "I feel bad. I know what she's going through right now and it's not easy."

"How about we take her into town tomorrow night for pizza?" Gabriel suggested.

"She might like that," Alexa smiled at him.

Gabriel gave her another kiss. "I can't believe that I'll be going back home in a couple of days."

"I don't want to think about that," Alexa wrapped her arms around him.

"Me either," Gabriel said softly. "But, you know ....I was thinking maybe you'd like to come over for my grandparents' anniversary. It's a couple of weeks before you have to go back..."

"I'd love to," Alexa said immediately. "And I can finally meet your family and friends."

"You sure your parents wouldn't mind?" Gabriel asked. "I asked Dad and he said you could stay with him and Lavender..."

"I'll talk to them tomorrow," Alexa said. "But I'm sure it'll be fine."

Gabriel smiled. "My dad was actually trying to get them to come here, but it didn't work out."

"How come?" Alexa relaxed against him.

"Grandpa refused," Gabriel said quietly. "Just when I think he's going to come through, he changes his mind. I don't know if he's ever going to accept my dad."

"I'm sorry," Alexa said softly. "Your dad's a great guy. Just like you."

Gabriel smiled at her. "Yeah, he is. I just wish Grandpa would see it, too."

"I just hope he'll like me," Alexa rested her head on his shoulder.

"He's going to love you since you make his grandson so happy," Gabriel said.

Alexa closed her eyes as Gabriel hugged her closely. Her relationship with him was so different than the one she'd had with RJ. She felt more secure, more confident.

"I know dinner's going to be ready soon, but afterwards how would you feel about a walk on the beach?" Gabriel asked her.

"I'd love that," Alexa linked their fingers together. "I want to spend as much time as possible with you."

"Love you, Lexie," Gabriel said smiling at her.

Alexa looked up at him. "You love me?"

Gabriel hadn't thought about what he was saying. It had just come out. "Very much so."

"Gabe," Alexa squeezed his hand. "I'm not quite sure I'm in love with you... yet. But that--"

"It's okay," he told her. "You say it when you're ready."

"Thank you," Alexa leaned in and kissed him.

"Ready to go inside?" he asked her when they pulled apart.

"I think so," Alexa said dazedly.

He squeezed her hand. "Come on. I imagine all that shopping worked up your appetite."

"A little bit," Alexa leaned against him.

"And we can check on Saf," Gabriel said.

"I hope she's feeling better." Alexa said softly.

"She'll get through this," Gabriel said. "We'll help her."

"Yes we will," Alexa gave him one last kiss before he led her inside.

Everyone was gathering around the table and Gabriel walked over to his cousin. "Lex told me what happened. You doing okay?"

"I'm fine," Saffron said, a bit too quickly. "You know, bouncing back and all that."

"I remember the first time I saw Emily with another guy," Gabriel said. "And I remember telling everyone that I was fine too."

Saffron shrugged. "I can move on too."

"I'm here if you want to talk," Gabriel said.

"Thanks," Saffron managed a smile.

Saffron sat down across from Alexa and Gabriel and tried to keep her mind off of Andrew. She saw Lizzy putting the triplets in their high chairs and she stood back up. "Lizzy, I can take care of them. So you can eat..."

"Are you sure?" Lizzy asked her. "That'd be really nice, Saffy. Thank you."

"I can't think of three people I'd rather eat with," Saffron said making a goofy face at the triplets.

"Saf!" Noah grinned at her.

"If they give you any trouble let me know," Lizzy said patting Saffron on the shoulder.

Saffron nodded. "Okay you three. What's for dinner?"

"Spaghetti," Josh said setting three small bowls in front of the triplets. "And let's try to eat it this time, Noah. Don't throw it."

"No throw," Noah nodded.

"No waste!" Aidan added. "Right Em?"

Emma beamed at him. "Right, Aidan!"

Saffron smiled. "Well this looks delicious you guys. Eat up!"

Casey picked up her little fork and took a bite. "Yummy."

Saffron couldn't help smiling at the toddlers. She hoped that one day she'd have little ones just like this. Of course, she'd always pictured Andrew in her future too, but after today, she knew that wasn't going to happen. It was over and if she'd ever needed confirmation she received it today.

188. 188

Here it is- the big audition for the lead part of the recital. There’s also some Gabe/Alexa in there ;) Next chapter has Saffron trying to move on with another certain bloke :D

Caroline spent the days leading up to the recital tryouts practising every chance that she had. In her head, she could see herself performing the routine flawlessly, but she just wished her feet would cooperate. It didn't help that she felt her stomach turn whenever she thought about dancing in front of all those people. It wasn't so bad when she was with her group, but as the lead, she'd be up front and centre. All eyes would be on her and the thought of it terrified and excited her at the same time.

"Ready sweetheart?" Allison asked her daughter. "You're going to do fine."

Caroline nodded and slung her dance bag over her shoulder. "Okay, Mummy."

"Just know that you're up there doing your best," Allison smoothed Caroline's hair back. "That's all you can hope to do."

Caroline looked up at her mother. "I hope Grandma sees how hard I worked."

"She knows, Angel." Allison told her. "And me, Adam and Emma will be there to watch."

Jon came into the sitting room carrying Adam. "He's all ready to go. In fact, I think he'd like to dance given how he did everything he could to get off the changing table."

"Are you being silly for Daddy?" Allison asked her son with a grin.

Adam made a gurgling sound and Jon laughed. "Don't let that innocent look fool you." He called out for his youngest. "Emma! Come along, sweetheart."

"Coming!" Emma came running into the room. "Em's all ready!"

Allison smiled. "You remember that you need to be quiet while Caroline's dancing, right?"

"I know Mummy," Emma nodded. "No talking!"

"I'm really glad you're all coming," Caroline said softly.

"We wouldn't miss it for the world," Jon said affectionately.

"Sissy you're going to be the bestest," Em announced.

"Thanks Em," Caroline hugged her sister.

"Let's go dancing girl," Jon said. "We want to get a good seat to watch you try out."

"Okay," Caroline said, butterflies nervously fluttering in her stomach.

Katie was already at the studio, but she wasn't worried. She knew that she was a better dancer than her competition.

"Twirl," she whispered to herself, mentally going through the steps.

"You've got this in the bag," Lindsey Gill told her. "You're better than everyone else here." "You really think so?" Katie asked.

"You're better than Caroline, at least." Lindsey offered. "I bet she'll chicken out."

Katie felt a little anger at Lindsey. It was one thing for her to say something like that about Caroline, but it was quite another for someone else to.

"She's not even here yet," Lindsey pointed out. "You came in early to prepare."

Katie shrugged. "Well, I think it's a little harder for her to get here with her sister and brother."

Lindsey rolled her eyes. "Whatever. You're still going to win the role."

"Good luck today, Katie," Marina Dunham, one of the other girls trying out for the part.

"Thanks, Marina," Katie said. "You too."

Caroline had just arrived and was walking over to Mia who was sitting near the front of the room. "Hey," Caroline greeted her cousin. "I'm so nervous."

"You worked really hard this summer," Mia reassured her. "You're going to be fantastic."

"Thanks," Caroline felt a little reassured.

Caroline sat down and put on her ballet slippers and caught sight of Katie and Lindsey watching her. She hadn't spent that much time with her best friend these past few weeks.

"Don't worry about her," Mia caught her glance. "Just pretend you're at home doing this in your room."

"Thanks, Mia," Caroline said gratefully. "I'm---I'm going to do my stretches."

"I'll do them with you," Mia said. "I really hope I can be in the chorus."

Caroline smiled at her friend. "You'll get it, Mia. I know you will."

Caroline and Mia started their stretches while Allison, Jon, Emma and Adam settled in beside Julie.

"He's gotten bigger since I saw him last," Julie commented.

"I don't think I have," Jon said patting his stomach.

"I meant your son," Julie laughed, swatting at him.

"He has," Allison agreed. "And he wants to crawl everywhere!"

"He doesn't like sitting still," Jon said bouncing Adam on his knee.

"Has he started talking yet?" Julie asked.

"He talks to Em all the time," Emma said proudly.

"What does he say?" Nick asked her.

Emma thought about this for a few moments. "Adam talks to Em about food and toys and baths!"

"Baths eh?" Jon tickled his daughter. "Does he tell you he doesn't like baths?"

Emma giggled. "Yes!"

"Em!" Adam pointed to his sister.

Emma's eyes grew large. "Adam! Mummy! Adam said Em's name!"

"Yes he did," Allison said, beaming. "That's my smart boy!"

Cho and Chiaki came into the room and Emma ran for her grandmother. "Gamma! Adam said Em's name!"

"Adam said your name?" Cho scooped her up. "That's wonderful darling!"

Emma nodded and gave her grandmother a hug. "Love you, Gamma."

"I love you too Em." Cho kissed her cheek. "You'd better go sit with your mummy and daddy."

"Kay," Emma said as Cho set her back down.

Cho and Chiaki went over a few notes before Chiaki took the floor.

"Good afternoon, everyone," Chiaki said. "Today, we are casting the recital for The Swan Princess. Everyone will have a part in the production."

Lindsey nudged Katie with a knowing smirk.

"We have four girls trying out for the lead part, Princess Odette," Chiaki continued. "The four girls are: Katie Malfoy, Marina Dunham, Madison Arrington and Caroline Weasley. Now, we've put four numbers in this hat. Each of you girls are to come up here and draw a number to determine the order of your audition."

Katie ran forward and plucked a number. "Two," she read with a slight scowl. She wanted to be first.

Caroline drew her number. "Four. I-I'm last."

"One," Marina read off with a smile.

"Guess that makes me three," Madison laughed.

Caroline took her seat beside Mia and felt the butterflies in her stomach return. She'd hoped to go first so she could get it over with, but now she'd have to sit here waiting and worrying while the other girls danced.

Mia reached for her hand and squeezed it. "You're going to do great," she said. "Last- so everyone can remember what an awesome dancer you are."

Caroline wanted to believe her cousin, but she wasn't so sure. She turned and looked at her mother who gave her a thumbs-up sign.

"Sissy," Emma whispered loudly. "Break leg!"

Caroline blushed and smiled at her sister. Emma always did know what to say. "Thanks, Em," she whispered back.

Marina was in the middle of the floor and Caroline watched as she began to do the rehearsed dance. "She's really good too," she whispered to Mia.

Mia nodded. "She is."

Caroline swallowed over the lump in her throat as Marina stumbled a bit. "I hope I remember those last few steps."

"Just remember right...step...left...step...turn," Mia whispered.

Caroline nodded as Marina finished and Katie confidently hopped up and strode to the middle of the room.

The music began and Katie began the dance. She smiled brightly at Chiaki and Cho as she performed the steps.

It was all too perfect, Katie thought. She could already visualize the applause after she finished dancing the lead role.

The last steps were the most difficult and Katie held her breath as she did the turn. She finished slightly before the music ended, but other than that, she'd done perfectly.

"Very good, Katie," Chiaki said before making some notes on her clipboard.

Katie curtsied- she figured a little added touch couldn't hurt and went to sit down again.

Julie shared a look with Nick. "She isn't shy at all, is she?"

Nick chuckled. "Not at all. She did great."

"She's so much like you- wants to be in the spotlight," Julie said with a grin.

Nick squeezed her hand and they both watched as Madison began her dance. She messed up on the last couple of steps and was almost in tears when she'd finished.

"And fourth," Chiaki said with a smile. "Caroline Weasley."

Caroline gulped. It was now or never, but all she wanted to do was run over to her parents.

"Good luck, Caroline," Mia encouraged her. "You can do it."

Caroline nodded, not trusting her voice. She walked to the middle of the dance floor and gave her grandmother and aunt a trembly smile.

The music started and Caroline took a deep breath.

She closed her eyes and did as Mia had told her- pretended she was at her own barre, doing the steps by herself.

Katie watched her best friend and couldn't deny that she'd come a long way. If she was being honest, Caroline was quite good.

"Remember the last steps," Caroline told herself silently. "The last few steps..."

She couldn't hide the bright smile that came over her face as she did the last complicated steps just as Mia had reminded her.

She finished just as the music did and opened her eyes.

"Very good, Caroline," Chiaki said smiling at her.

"Thank you," Caroline blushed as she hurried back to her spot next to Mia.

Mia beamed at her. "You did great, Caroline!"

"Thanks," Caroline beamed.

Cho stood up. "We'll now move on to the other parts. Now let's have..."

Caroline couldn't believe she'd done it. She'd actually made it through the dance.

Mia got up when Cho called her for the chorus audition. "Good luck," Caroline whispered to her.

Mia nodded and took her place in between two other girls.

Caroline sat back as Emma slipped over to sit next to her. "Sissy did good," she whispered.

Caroline gave her sister a hug. "Thanks, Em."

"What is Em's part in dance?" Emma asked.

"Your class is having their own section, Em," Caroline said. "And I bet you're going to be great."

"Em break leg too?" the redhead asked.

Caroline giggled. "Yes. Come here, sit in my lap and we'll watch the others."

"Kay," Emma sat back against her sister.

Mia finished her audition and then took her place beside Caroline.

"You did great," Caroline whispered to her. "When do you think they'll announce the results?"

Mia shrugged. "I'm not sure."

Twenty minutes later, everyone had auditioned. Chiaki and Cho retired to the back office to go over their notes and the girls returned to their parents.

"Daddy, how did I do?" Katie asked giving her father a hug.

"You did wonderful, Katie bear," Nick gave her a kiss on the cheek.

"Thanks, Daddy," Katie grinned.

"So what sorts of flowers do I need to bring my Angel girl?" Jon was asking Caroline. "Roses? Tulips? Sunflowers?"

Caroline blushed. "I like sunflowers best."

"Sunflowers it is," Jon kissed her cheek. "You did a great job."

"You both did a great job," Julie said to the two girls. "Chiaki and Cho have a tough decision to make."

Katie had a feeling she'd be the one up there dancing but she nodded. "Good job Caroline."

"You too, Katie," Caroline said smiling at her friend. "You really did great."

"I know," Katie replied. "Thanks though."

Caroline didn't know what to make of that so she just sat down on her father's lap. "Can we go to the pub later, Daddy?"

"For a celebratory dinner," Jon nodded. "Either way, you did a great job out there Angel."

Caroline grinned and leaned back against her father.

"Daddy can we celebrate too?" Katie didn't want to be outdone.

"Absolutely," Nick said. "Where did you want to go?"

"Somewhere fancy," Katie replied.

"Somewhere fancy, eh?" Nick asked chucking her on the chin.

"What about that place all the celebrities go?" Katie asked. "The one in Muggle London?"

"The Ivy?" Nick asked

"Yeah!" Katie said excitedly.

"Katie, you want to go to the Ivy?" Julie teased.

"Uh huh," Katie nodded. "Cause when I'm a famous model and dancer I'll eat there every day."

Nick tweaked her nose. "You know being a famous model and a dancer is a lot of hard work. It's not just going to cool places, Katie."

Katie shrugged. "I just want to go to The Ivy."

"I'll call and see if we can get a table," Nick promised.

Katie squealed. "Thanks Daddy!"

Chiaki and Cho emerged from the back and stood at the front of the room. "We had a hard decision to make. You've all worked so hard and we're proud of each and every one of you for the effort you've put forth," Cho announced.

Caroline crossed her fingers behind her back. She really, really hoped she'd won the part but she decided she would be happy if Katie, Marina or Madison got it as well.

Cho smiled. "The part of the lead, Princess Odette, will be performed by...."

Katie held her breath and waited to hear her name.

"Caroline Weasley," Cho finished.

Mia squealed. "You got it!" she hugged her best friend. "You got it Caroline!"

"C-Caroline?" Katie asked, her jaw dropping. "But---"

Nick put a hand on his daughter's shoulder. "You should congratulate her, Katie."

Katie could only shake her head. How had this happened? She'd danced much better than Caroline. Everyone had said so.

"The understudy of Odette," Cho continued. "Will be Katie Malfoy. You'll go on in Caroline's place if she can't dance the night of the performance."

Julie smiled at her daughter. "Understudy, Katie. That's great..."

Katie shook her head again. "That means that I'm second-best...."

"It does not," Julie soothed.

Tears welled up in Katie's eyes as she watched their other classmates congratulate a still in shock Caroline.

"Thanks," Caroline was so happy she couldn't stop beaming. "I can't believe it!"

Lindsey made her way over to Katie. "This is so unfair! You know exactly why she got that part!"

"She did better than me," Katie answered dully.

Lindsey rolled her eyes. "I imagine if your grandmother and aunt were the judges, you'd have gotten that part, too."

"You shouldn't say that about her," Katie said softly.

"Look," Lindsey said pointing to where Chiaki was talking to her niece.

"You really did a great job, Caroline," Chiaki said giving her niece a hug. "Mum and I were so proud of you."

"Thanks Aunt Chiaki," Caroline said. "Was I really, really the best?"

Chiaki nodded. "You were and we knew how hard you worked. You've improved so much."

"Thanks," Caroline hugged her again. "I'll dance perfect, I promise."

"I know you will," Chiaki said.

"Sissy!" Emma came running towards her. "Sissy is Princess and Em is a fox!"

Caroline grinned. "I heard, Em. You're going to be a great fox!"

"I get a tail," Emma was delighted. "And Han is... Han is..."

"A chipmunk," Hannah joined them.

"Congratulations, you guys!" Caroline told them. "That's fantastic!"

"We have to practise," Hannah said. "Em you'll be such a cute little fox."

Emma beamed at her.

Caroline walked over to where Katie was talking with Lindsey. She felt bad for her friend knowing how much she truly had wanted the part.

"Are you here to gloat, Caroline?" Lindsey asked.

Caroline shook her head. "No, of course not!"

"Then what do you want?" Lindsey asked coolly.

"I wanted to see how Katie was doing," Caroline said gently. "Katie, you did really well."

"Too right she did," Lindsey said haughtily. "And I imagine if her grandmother had been choosing, SHE'D have gotten the part."

"They didn't pick me cause of that!" Caroline was growing angry at the other girl. "And I didn't come here to talk to you anyway!"

Lindsey glared at her. "Right..."

Katie wiped at her eyes. "What do you want Caroline?"

"I just wanted to tell you that you did really good," Caroline fidgeted with the sleeve of her leotard.

"Not as good as you, obviously," Katie said quietly.

"I just practised a lot," Caroline said. "Um... maybe you and me can learn the dance together."

"Maybe," Katie said looking away. "Um...I have to go."

"What?" Caroline was confused. "Katie..."

Katie hurried away to where her parents were gathering up her belongings.

Lindsey smirked at Caroline. "You're going to freeze up, Caroline. Like you always do..."

"I'm going to be the best Odette ever," Caroline glared at her. "Better than you. You didn't even try out!"

Lindsey just laughed and walked away.

Caroline couldn't believe that Lindsey would think that she was just given the part because of her grandmother and aunt. Grandma Cho and Aunt Chiaki were fair judges and they wouldn't have picked her if they didn't think she was capable of the part.

She watched as Katie left the studio without a backward glance. She felt bad that they both couldn't do the part, but she had worked really hard for it.

"Caroline, are you ready to go?" Allison called out to her daughter.

"Yes Mummy," Caroline nodded.

"That's my girl," Jon said picking her up and twirling her around. "We are going to have a big celebration at the pub in your honour."

Caroline forced a smile. "Can't wait."

"And maybe," Jon said tickling her side. "You can show me how to do that routine..."

Caroline smiled for real. "Daddy you're silly."

"But I am not---I repeat----not going to wear a tutu," Jon said tweaking her nose.

"Daddy wears a tutu," Emma began dancing around them. "Daddy wears curlers in his hair!"

Allison laughed. "Only for you, baby girl."

Jon set Caroline down and scooped Emma up. "And that's our little secret."

Caroline wandered over to her mother. "Mummy? Do you think Katie's mad at me?"

"I think she's happy for you," Allison said, hoping that wasn't a lie. "She knows how hard you worked for this."

"I hope so," Caroline said. "I just can't believe I got it, Mummy."

"You did a beautiful job," Allison said. "Daddy and I are so proud of you Angel."

"Thanks, Mummy," Caroline said beaming up at her. She hoped that Katie was happy for her and that they'd work together to learn the dance steps for the recital piece. They'd been best friends all their lives. They couldn't let this get between them, no matter what Lindsey said.

*** *** ***

Alexa had Flooed over to the Los Angeles area for Gabriel's grandparents' anniversary party. It was her first time overseas and she couldn't stop looking everywhere. California looked so different than England.

"And I'll take you down to Hollywood Boulevard tomorrow," Gabriel was saying. "And I'll bring you to my campus so you can check it out too. See if there's anything you like."

"Slow down," Lavender teased from the front seat of the car. "You're going to overwhelm her."

"I'm fine," Alexa said, her eyes still skipping over the scenery.

Lavender consulted the directions. The party was being held at a reception hall in one of the downtown hotels. It was where Louis and Margaret had been married. "You take a left at the next light, Seamus."

"I've got it," Seamus replied.

"You look gorgeous," Gabriel squeezed her hand.

Alexa smiled at him. "I'm nervous about meeting them."

"Don't be," he reassured her. "They're going to love you. Especially my grandmother."

Alexa hoped he was right. She knew how important his grandparents were to him and she wanted to make a good impression. She still couldn't believe she was actually here in the States.

They arrived at the hotel a few minutes later. "The ballroom is just through here," Gabriel linked their fingers together. "Come on- I can't wait for you to meet them."

Alexa felt her nerves getting stronger as they walked into the ballroom.

Seamus, too, hoped that Gabriel's grandfather would be okay with him being there. Gabriel and Margaret had invited him and Lavender to the party, but Lewis had merely muttered something unintelligible before leaving the room.

"Relax," Lavender murmured. "They wouldn't have invited you if they really didn't want you here."

Seamus didn't say anything as they followed Gabriel and Alexa over to where Lewis and Margaret were chatting with some friends.

"Grandma," Gabriel said with a huge grin. "Grandpa. I want you both to meet Alexa O'Leary."

Margaret smiled at the young girl. "Alexa, you are every bit as beautiful as Gabe told us."

"Thank you," Alexa blushed. "And thank you for inviting me to your party. Congratulations on your anniversary."

"We're very happy you could join us," Margaret said giving her a hug.

"Lovely to meet you, Alexa," Lewis said.

"It's nice to meet you too sir," Alexa shook his hand. "Gabriel's told me loads about you both."

"Most of it is true," Margaret said giving her grandson a hug.

"Happy Anniversary, Grandma," Gabriel said.

The other couple that had been standing beside Margaret and Lewis looked expectantly at Lewis for an introduction.

"I'm Lavender Finnigan," Lavender told them when Lewis didn't speak up. "And this is my husband, Seamus."

"Walter Murphy and this is my wife, Ramona," the older gentleman said shaking her hand. "How do you know Lewis and Margaret?"

"Um..." Seamus seemed at a loss. "I'm Gabriel's father. I used to... to know Sam."

"The one that----" Walter started to say.

Margaret coughed. "Walter, Ramona....it was lovely to see you. We'll catch up later."

"Of course," Ramona dragged her husband away.

"Thank you for coming," Margaret kissed Lavender on the cheek. "It's always lovely to see you both."

"We wouldn't have missed this for the world," Lavender told her. "And you look beautiful tonight. That mauve is a wonderful colour on you."

"Thank you," Margaret was pleased.

"Lewis," Seamus nodded. "You're looking well. Congratulations."

"Thank you," Lewis said quietly. "Maggie, we should take our seats..."

"Yes," Margaret said. "We'll catch up to you four in a little while."

"That went about as well as could be expected," Seamus said watching them go.

"Thanks for trying," Gabriel said to his father.

"Let's get our seats," Seamus said.

"There's a table over there," Lavender said.

Gabriel took Alexa's hand but was surprised when someone slapped him hard on the back.

"I am so glad you're here," a familiar voice said behind him. "I've already been hit on by three old ladies."

Gabriel turned around and laughed. "Nico..."

"About time you got your lazy ass here," Nico answered

"I had to spend some quality time with Alexa," Gabriel said squeezing Alexa's hand. "Nico...this is Lexie."

"It's nice to meet you Nico," Alexa smiled. "Gabe's told me all about you."

"I could just listen to you talk all night," Nico said with a grin. "Those accents..."

Alexa blushed and Gabriel hit him hard on the shoulder. "Smooth."

"So where are we sitting tonight, Mr. F?" Nico asked slapping Seamus on the back.

Seamus chuckled. "Right over there Nico. I can't believe I missed you."

"Did you drive the SUV tonight?" Nico asked. "Because if you did..."

"You're not driving it," Seamus finished.

"How come?" Nico asked.

"Quit while you're behind, Nico," Gabriel told his best friend. "I can't believe I've been friends with you for this long."

"You miss me when you're over there," Nico scoffed. "One of these days you have to bring me with you. I'll find myself a hot looking fox like you did."

"I'm starting to see why you don't have a girlfriend," Alexa said dryly.

Nico stared at her, open mouthed as Gabriel doubled over laughing.

"That was harsh," Nico said pretending to be affronted.

"That's my girl," Gabriel pulled her close and kissed the side of her head.

"Come on," Lavender told them. "We should grab that table."

"Right," Seamus nodded. "You go sit down and I'll get you a drink. What'll you have?"

"Club soda for me," Alexa said. "Thank you, Mr. Finnigan."

"Club soda," Seamus nodded. "I know my wife will have champagne- Gabe?"

"You could grab Gabe and me a beer," Nico said.

"Nice try," Seamus said. "How about sodas?"

"I guess," Nico replied.

"That's fine Dad, thanks." Gabriel shook his head at his friend.

"Can't blame me for trying," Nico said taking a seat.

At the table, there were pictures of the happy couple throughout the years and Alexa eagerly took the photo album. "Your grandmother looked beautiful on her wedding day!"

"Yeah," Gabriel nodded. "My mum looked just like her."

"And your grandfather looks so handsome," Alexa said.

"And now we have proof that he does actually smile," Gabriel said showing the photo to his stepmother.

Lavender grinned. "They make a lovely couple."

Seamus placed the drink orders at the bar.

"Do you know that Gabriel's father had the nerve to show up here?" he heard someone saying. "After what he did to Samantha..."

Seamus turned slightly to listen a little better.

"Callously left her when he found out that she was pregnant," the woman was saying. "And then he shows up out of the blue after she dies..."

"Excuse me," Seamus broke into their conversation. "I think you have your story wrong. I unfortunately didn't know about Gabriel until a little over a year ago. And Samantha and I cared about each other very much, but it just didn't work out. Any other questions?"

"I beg your pardon?" the woman asked.

"Seamus Finnigan," Seamus replied. "I'm the bloke you were just speaking about?"

The woman looked as if she wanted to run in the other direction. "I---I apologize."

He nodded. "Nice to meet you lot." he collected the drinks and headed back to the table.

"Everything okay?" Lavender asked her husband when he returned to the table.

"I'll tell you later," Seamus took his seat.

"I'm supposed to go up and say a few words to start," Gabriel whispered to Alexa.

"You are?" she asked. "What are you going to talk about?"

"I'm not sure," Gabriel admitted. "But I'd better think of something fast, eh?"

"Gabe," Alexa shook her head. "Come on, I'll help you."

"Only kidding," Gabriel reassured her. "I know what I'm going to say. I just want you to give me a kiss for luck."

"That I can do," Alexa leaned in.

Gabriel kissed her tenderly. He was happy that she was here with him for this special occasion.

He gave her hand a squeeze before standing up and walking to the center of the reception hall.

"Hello, everyone," Gabriel said. "We're all here tonight to celebrate my grandparents' 50th anniversary."

Gabriel waited until the applause died down before continuing. "I've lived with my grandparents for most of my life. They've always provided for me, and for my mother, without a word of complaint. They're the two most amazing people in the world and I'm so glad they're my family."

Lewis and Margaret smiled at each other and then turned their gaze on their only grandson.

"Fifty years ago tonight, the two of you shared your first dance as husband and wife on this dance floor," Gabriel said smiling at them. "And I know that we'd all like to see you dance again..."

"Oh no----" Lewis said shaking his head.

"Come on Grandpa," Gabriel said with a grin. "Show everyone you've still got it."

"Come on, Lewis," Margaret said standing up. "One dance..."

"For you Maggie," Lewis grunted.

"Ladies and Gentlemen," Gabriel announced. "I give you, Lewis and Margaret Boyd."

Alexa grinned at her boyfriend as he stepped down. "That was lovely, Gabe."

He gave her a kiss on the cheek. "I'm not that good at public speaking..."

"You did a great job," Alexa rested her head on his shoulder as they watched Lewis and Margaret dance together in the middle of the room.

"Fifty years," Lavender said watching the couple. "That's amazing."

"Think you and I can make it?" Seamus nudged her.

"Absolutely," Lavender said grinning at him.

"How many years is it now?" he asked, sliding his arm around her.

"Seventeen," Lavender replied.

"Best seventeen of my life," Seamus said softly.

Lavender rested her head on his shoulder. "Mine too."

Alexa smiled as Lewis and Margaret headed back to their table. "This is a lovely party. And I'm so happy to finally meet your grandparents."

"I'm glad your parents let you come," Gabriel said. "I've been wanting you to meet my grandparents and my friends for ages."

"I'll tell you a secret," Alexa said. "I really came just so I could spend more time with you."

Gabriel grinned. "Alexa O'Leary...you had an ulterior motive!"

"Can you blame me?" she asked with a grin.

Gabriel shook his head. "Not at all..."

Alexa reached for his hand. When Gabriel had left a few days after Brighton she didn't think it was possible to miss someone so much.

He gave her hand a squeeze. "Would you care to dance?"

"I'd love to," Alexa said happily.

Gabriel led her out onto the dance floor and pulled her close.

"This is right where I want to be," Alexa closed her eyes.

"Me too," Gabriel said. "I just wish you could stay longer than the weekend."

"Soon..." Alexa said. "I have this great feeling that in a year I'll be preparing to come to USC."

"Are you a Seer now?" Gabriel asked. "Like Maddie?"

"Hardly," Alexa laughed. "It's just a hunch."

"I was wondering how that would work?" Gabriel asked her. "It's not like you could have transcripts."

"I'm sure there's a way," Alexa replied. "Julie's helping me. She went to a Muggle University as well."

"Saffy told me about that," Gabriel said.

"They basically take my marks and transfer them onto Muggle transcripts," Alexa said. "At least, that's what I understood from what Julie told me."

Gabriel smiled down at her. "I learn something new about your world every day."

"I want you to learn everything about me and my world," Alexa said with a grin. "Because you're a huge part of it now, Gabriel Boyd."

"And you're a big part of mine," Gabriel said leaning in and kissing her.

She leaned into the kiss as he pulled her even closer.

Margaret looked on at her grandson and couldn't help smiling. "I haven't seen him look this happy in quite some time, Lewis."

"She's a very pretty young lady," Lewis agreed. "And she seems to care about him a great deal."

"Samantha would have liked her," Margaret said.

Lewis nodded. "I think our Samantha would have liked Lavender too," he admitted.

Margaret smiled at him. "Yes she would have."

"She'd be angry that I haven't warmed to Seamus," Lewis continued.

"Yes, she would," Margaret said squeezing his hand.

"I'm trying," Lewis said. "It's just... I remember how hurt Sam was when they broke up..."

"He's not a bad guy," Margaret told him. "And he loves Gabe."

Lewis nodded. "I'll try harder Maggie."

Margaret kissed him on the cheek. "Thank you, Lewis. That's the best present you could have given me."

"Love you," he said gruffly. "50 years and going strong."

"We've been through quite a bit," Margaret said. "But I love you just as much today as I did then."

"What do you think?" Alexa asked. "Could that be us in 50 years?"

Gabriel grinned at her. "I hope so. I really, really do."

Alexa rested her head on his shoulder and let her mind wander for a few moments. Her feelings for Gabriel were deepening day by day but she still wasn't sure whether or not she could let go and fall in love with him.

She knew though that they had time to figure everything out and she knew that he wouldn't rush her. It was one of the things she loved most about him.

That revelation made her smile before she gave him another quick kiss.

On the other side of the room, Seamus approached Margaret and Lewis. "Lewis, do you think I could have a dance with your lovely bride?"

Lewis looked like he was going to refuse for a moment but nodded. "I think she'd like that."

Margaret took Seamus' hand and grinned at him. "I'm so glad that you could come tonight."

"Thanks Margaret," Seamus replied. "I'm glad to be here- that you wanted me here."

"Lewis really is trying," Margaret said. "He promised he'd do better."

"I understand," Seamus said. "It's not easy for any of us. But there's no way I'm backing out of Gabe's life."

"We wouldn't ask you to do that," Margaret said. "I'm just glad that Sam told him about you before she---"

"I am too," Seamus said softly. "I do miss her, Margaret. Sam was a wonderful, wonderful woman."

Margaret smiled. "Yes, she was."

"I see so much of her in Gabriel," Seamus looked over at his son. "And he's just the best thing I ever had a part of."

"She used to say the same about you when she looked at him," Margaret admitted.

"He's got the best of both of us, I guess." Seamus spun her around gently.

Margaret laughed. "You know Lavender was telling me that you didn't like to dance, but you are actually quite good."

"She makes me practise," Seamus said ruefully.

"Practise makes perfect," Margaret teased.

"Sam used to say that all the time," Seamus said with a grin.

"I taught her well," Margaret said as the music came to an end. "Thank you very much for the dance, Seamus."

"Thank you," Seamus kissed her cheek.

Margaret led the way back to the table where Lewis was talking to Gabriel, Alexa, and Lavender.

"We honeymooned at Yosemite," he was saying. "Maggie was a good sport about it."

"We didn't have that much money," Margaret said sitting down beside her husband. "But I wouldn't have cared. It's not where you are, but who you're with that matters."

"I agree with that," Alexa said with a smile.

Gabriel squeezed her hand.

"And then a few years later, Samantha came along," Lewis said proudly.

Gabriel smiled. "I really miss Mum," he said, a bit unexpectedly.

"She'd be real proud of you, Gabe," Lewis said to him. "Real proud."

"I hope so," Gabriel answered fervently.

"I know so," Lewis said. "And she'd be really happy that you found your dad and that he's a part of your life."

Seamus looked at the older man in surprise. "Thanks, Lewis."

Lewis nodded. "And I'm glad you're here today."

Seamus reached across the table and shook Lewis' hand.

"Thanks, Grandpa," Gabriel said grinning at his grandfather.

"Just want you to be happy, Gabe." Lewis replied.

"I am," Gabriel said putting his arm around Alexa. "I'm very, very happy, Grandpa."

Lavender raised her glass of champagne. "To Lewis and Margaret," she said. "May they have many more happy years together."

"Here, here!" Seamus said raising his glass. "And I'd like to thank them for welcoming us to their family."

"I second that," Gabriel raised his glass of soda.

"And to our beautiful daughter, Samantha," Margaret said. "For bringing us all together."

"Hear," Gabriel echoed.

Alexa smiled at her boyfriend. She knew that having his father get along with his grandfather was very important to him. Now it seemed as if Lewis really was going to try.

A few minutes later she and Gabe were dancing again together. "It really was the best day today," he said. "I mean, you're here, and then my grandfather's finally making a real effort with my dad."

"Well, they both have something big in common," Alexa said smiling at him. "You. They both want you to be happy."

"And I knew my grandparents would love you," he grinned at her.

Alexa was pleased to hear this. "I’m glad that they do. I like them very much, too."

"I know you don't feel the same way yet," Gabriel said softly. "But I do love you Lexie."

"I'm just---" Alexa started to say.

"I do understand," Gabriel said quickly. "I really do. And I understand that you're not ready. I'm okay with it."

Alexa hugged him tightly. "Thank you for being patient."

"I'd do anything for you," he said softly.

"You make me so happy," Alexa whispered.

"That's my goal," he said with a grin.

"You're very good at it," Alexa said giving him a kiss.

"I can't wait to show you around," he said.

"Neither can I," Alexa said. "And I have to bring Saffy back a really good souvenir."

"They have these Oscar statues they sell on the Boulevard," Gabriel said. "They say things like Best Friend, or Best Teacher, things like that. I bet she'd love one of those. Good and tacky."

"That'd be perfect," Alexa laughed.

"So what do you really think of Nico?" Gabriel asked in a low voice. "Crazy, isn't he?"

"He is that," Alexa replied. She also knew what a great friend Nico had been to Gabriel over the years, especially when his mother had been sick. "But I like him."

"I was thinking of asking him to come with me to England next summer, at least for a few weeks." Gabriel said.

"I don't know if England is ready for him," Alexa giggled.

"No one is," Gabriel grinned. "But we'd have a lot of fun."

"I think so too," Alexa said. "Um...does he know about----well, about us being magical?"

"No," Gabriel answered. "I don't think he would react well to it."

"Really?" Alexa asked.

"He'd always want you to do something," Gabriel explained. "It's not that he would hold it against you, but he would always be asking you to do some sort of trick."

"Ahh," Alexa said nodding. "That would be kind of tiring..."

"A little bit," he answered.

"I have a cousin who was like that," Alexa told him. "When she found out who I was, she wanted me to show her all these tricks and she thought I was being mean when I told her I couldn't do anything out of school..."

"You can now, right?" Gabriel asked.

Alexa nodded. "Since I turned 17, yes."

"Want to magic me a car just like my dad's?" Gabriel joked. "The Jag?"

Alexa poked him in the ribs. "It doesn't work like that, Gabe!"

"I'm just kidding," he laughed.

"Very funny," Alexa said.

He hugged her again tightly. "Our next few days will be a lot of fun," he promised.

"I can't wait," Alexa said. She had been looking forward to this trip since he'd suggested it and she was glad that they'd be able to have this time before school started.

"And I know I'll be busy, but I plan on writing you as much as possible once school starts back up." Gabriel said.

"Me too," Alexa promised.

"And I want to take a million pictures of you to keep nearby," Gabriel added.

"So, we're going the full-on tourist thing, right?" Alexa asked.

"You'd better believe it," Gabriel said with a grin.

Alexa grinned back at him. "Sounds perfect to me."

189. 189

We see some of Saffron in this chapter, and we moved things forward to the recital in an effort to keep our timeline moving more smoothly. One character in particular may just surprise you ;) Next chapter you’ll see the triplets in action as well as a little Jon/Josh flashback- with PADDY!

Saffron had been moping all around the house since coming back from Brighton. Alexa was in LA so she couldn’t hang out with her best friend, and everyone else had gone back to work.

She missed Andrew more than anything, but her pride refused to allow her to ring him. He hadn’t believed her- and if something like that happened again, she knew the same thing would probably happen once more.

She was contemplating visiting her grandmother when her mobile rang. She hoped it was Alexa so she could hear all about her time in the States.

"Hallo?" she asked a bit eagerly. "Lex?"

"No," a friendly, familiar male voice answered back. "It's me, Sean."

"Sean?" she asked. "Oh... hey. I'm sorry- I just wasn't expecting to hear from you."

"Disappointed?" Sean asked.

"No," she said truthfully.

"So what are you up to?" Sean asked.

"Nothing, really." Saffron answered. "I'm kind of bored. My parents are at work."

"Mine too," Sean said. "And there were still some things I needed to pick up for school. I was wondering if perhaps you'd want to accompany me? I'd even buy you lunch..."

She thought for a long moment. "Okay..."

"Great," Sean said. "Do you want to meet in Piccadily in about 30 minutes?"

Saffron wondered if she could hire herself a taxi. "That sounds good." she answered.

"I look forward to it," Sean said. "Um, you remember that deli we used to go to? We could meet in front of there."

"I remember," Saffron said with a little smile. "I'll be there. Thanks Sean."

She clicked off her phone and hurried upstairs to change. Truth be told, she was glad to get out of the house. Hopefully, this time, she wouldn't run into Andrew on another double date.

She changed into some jeans and pulled her hair back. "You be good, baby." she told her dog. "I'll be back in a few hours."

Puddles looked up at her and barked.

Saffron hugged him. She was so glad for her dog- he always seemed to know when she was feeling down and did his best to cheer her up.

After leaving a note for her parents, she headed down towards the Leaky Cauldron. It didn't take her long at all to get a taxi and little while later, wound up waiting for Sean in front of the deli.

He waved at her and she noticed how cute he looked in his jeans and button down shirt.

"You've had your hair cut since last I saw you," Saffron commented.

"Just yesterday," Sean said.

"It looks nice," she said.

"Thanks," Sean said grinning at her. "You look great as always."

"I try," Saffron replied. "My hair looked awful today."

"You always complain about your hair, but I think you always look beautiful," Sean said.

"Thanks," Saffron flushed a bit. "So um... what did you have to get?"

"A few things," Sean said. "Books, notebooks...but no cauldrons or wands, for me."

"That's a shame," Saffron shook her head. "My stuff is more fun."

"I agree," Sean said. "How about we get a sandwich before we get started?"

"That sounds great," Saffron answered. "Thanks Sean."

He held the door open for her. He still felt bad about what had happened with RJ and Audrey and Andrew.

He approached the subject when they were sitting down. "So um... did you manage to work everything out with RJ or anything like that?"

Saffron snorted. "No."

"I'm really sorry," Sean said quietly. "I wish I'd have kept my mouth shut."

"You know what?" Saffron said. "It would have happened regardless. You weren't to know that RJ didn't tell Audrey about us. It may not have happened that night but it would have happened anyway. Andrew would have found something else to blame me for."

"It's a shame that you lot have to hide who you are," Sean said. "I just assumed that he'd have told her...."

"It's not that we have to hide it," Saffron replied. "We just have to be careful about who knows."

Sean nodded. "That's what Christina told me."

"I hate to ask," Saffron said ruefully. "But what's she up to?"

Sean looked at her. "We're not supposed to talk about it, but...."

"What?" Saffron was intrigued.

"She's a dancer," Sean replied.

At first, Saffron didn't understand the big deal. "Okay..."

"Exotic dancer," Sean clarified.

Saffron clapped her hands over her mouth. "NO WAY!"

Sean nodded. "Yeah, like I said my family doesn't like talking about it, especially my aunt and uncle. But, she tried university and flunked out..."

"I'm shocked," Saffron deadpanned.

"No, you're not," Sean said shaking his head.

"You're right," Saffron sat back. "I'm sorry. It makes me sound totally mean, but she was really horrible to us."

"Yes, she was," Sean said. "When I heard about what she did to RJ..."

"That was pretty terrible," Saffron answered.

"Yes, well," Sean said. "How about I get you your usual?"

"Sounds good," Saffron nodded. "Thanks."

"Coming right up," Sean said before heading for the counter.

Saffron watched him go. He was as sweet as he ever was, and she appreciated how he was trying to pull her out of her slump. Perhaps hanging out with him would save her summer from being a total drag.

Sean came back a few minutes later with drinks, crisps and sandwiches for the two of them.

"This looks delicious," Saffron said. "Thank you so much."

"I owe you much more than this for what I did," Sean said, sitting back down.

"You don't owe me anything," Saffron said. "I don't blame you for a moment."

Sean smiled at her. "Thanks, Saffy."

"You're a great guy," Saffron continued softly. "You'd never do anything purposely mean."

"Neither would you," Sean said looking at her.

"I don't know about that," Saffron said wryly. "I know a lot of people who would say otherwise."

"Not people who truly know you," Sean said. "You are the most loyal person I know, Saffy."

"I think I want to keep you around," Saffron said with a grin.

Sean didn't dare tell Saffron now that he still had feelings for her and that they'd never really gone away, even after they'd broken up. But, he respected her relationship with Andrew and the last thing he wanted was to be the rebound guy.

"Maybe we should go see a movie or something later," Saffron said, changing the subject.

"I'd like that," Sean replied.

"Something funny," Saffron said with a grin. "I need a good laugh."

"Other than your old rival being an exotic dancer, you mean?" Sean teased.

"Something like that," Saffron agreed.

They finished their lunch and to Saffron's delight, she hadn't thought that much about Andrew.

It didn't take Sean too long to get the rest of his school things and they spent the rest of that afternoon in a movie, then before heading back they decided to take a ride up on the London Eye.

"I haven't done this in ages," Saffron told him as they waited in the queue.

"Me either," Sean admitted.

"I forgot how high it is," Saffron looked up. "I go higher up on my broom."

"Higher than that?" Sean asked, impressed.

"I freak my mum out," Saffron said. "She hates flying."

Sean laughed. "She must not be too happy with your career choice, then."

"Not especially," Saffron replied. "But Dad's got her convinced it won't be so bad."

"You know," Sean said. "He's not as scary as he used to be. He used to terrify me when I'd come to take you out."

"My dad's really a big teddy bear," Saffron said as they climbed into one of the cars.

"And he cares about you a great deal," Sean said.

"Sometimes when he gets on my nerves I have to remind myself that," Saffron admitted.

Sean laughed. "Your mum's a lot nicer."

"So you're saying my dad's mean?" Saffron poked him.

"Scary, not mean," Sean corrected with a grin. "I don't have a death wish."

Saffron laughed, hard. "That's a good one."

Sean turned around so he could get a better look at the view, as did Saffron. "It's so beautiful...."

"Beautiful," Sean said his eyes on Saffron.

"It's just like this when I'm up in the air on my broom," Saffron didn't notice him staring at her. "I could stay up here forever."

"Me too," Sean said instinctively reaching for her hand.

She looked over at him and smiled. "It's nice up here with you."

Sean smiled back at her. "Yes, it is."

"This is the first really fun day I've had all summer long," Saffron confessed. "Thanks to you."

"I'm glad to help," Sean said still holding her hand.

"You're just a really good friend," she squeezed his hand.

Friend, Sean thought. It wasn't exactly what he wanted, but he knew it was a start. "I was wondering if you'd let me write to you..."

"At school?" Saffron asked. "Of course."

Sean grinned. "Great."

"Instead of going through my mum, I'll owl right to you." Saffron said.

"That sounds good," Sean said.

"You know how to do it right?" Saffron asked. "You just tie your letter to the owl's leg. They'll know where to deliver it."

"Right," Sean remembered. "Too bad you lot don't have computers....email would be so much faster."

Saffron smiled. "We can't have any electric things with us. The magic sort of... interferes with it all."

"Phones and computers are a lot easier," Sean said nudging her.

"Maybe," she nudged him back.

"You know that I'm right," Sean said.

"No way," Saffron answered. "I love owls."

"I saw that picture of one in the beach house," Sean said. "Your dad was a kid...had one on his shoulder....snowy white colour..."

"That was Hedwig," Saffron nodded. "He took it pretty hard when she died. She was sort of like his first friend, you know?"

Sean nodded. "That would be hard to take."

"You'll get into it too," Saffron replied. "You'll be into owling before the end of the year. Mark my words."

"Maybe I'll start sending out all my post that way," Sean said.

"Your relatives might freak out a little at first," Saffron laughed.

"Well with the whole Christina thing, they might think that is pretty tame in comparison," Sean pointed out.

"True," Saffron agreed, gazing out over the city as they began their descent.

"So," Sean said. "How's Alexa doing?"

"Good," Saffron nodded. "She's so happy with Gabriel. She's actually in LA right now with him."

"You miss her though," Sean said.

"Yeah," Saffron said. "I do. I kept dialling her today before remembering she's not in town."

"I'm glad I could fill in for her," Sean said with a grin. "But I am going to draw the line at plaiting each other's hair and doing makeovers."

"Awwww," Saffron said. "You mean no nail polish?"

Sean shook his head. "Not even for you."

"Guess we'll just have to stick with ice cream then," Saffron replied.

"That I can do," Sean said.

"My treat though," Saffron said. "Since you bought lunch."

"Okay," Sean said taking her hand again.

They headed for the same ice cream parlour that they'd been at a few days before but thankfully this time her ex didn't walk in with another slag on his arm.

The evening went by way too fast and Sean hailed a cab for her. "I'll give you a call tomorrow, if that's okay."

"I'd like that," Saffron nodded. "Thank you so much for getting me out of the house today."

"Thank you for coming with me," Sean said contemplating giving her a kiss, but not wanting to push it. "I had a nice time, Saffy. A really nice time."

"Me too," Saffron said, realising how close they were standing. She took a little step backwards. "I'll um... I'll talk to you tomorrow."

Sean handed her some money for the fare. "Don't even think about giving that back to me."

"Sean," Saffron shook her head. "You're almost too good to be true."

"I am," Sean said opening the car door.

"See you soon," Saffron smiled at him before sliding inside.

When she arrived home, her parents were sitting down to dinner.

"Saffron, is that you?" Hermione called out.

"Yeah," Saffron came into the kitchen.

"You know, I actually came home early to see if you wanted to play a round of golf," Harry said smiling at her.

"It's been awhile since we did that," Saffron dropped down in a chair. "Maybe tomorrow?"

"You're on," Harry said.

"Let me get you a plate, sweetheart," Hermione said.

"I'm not that hungry," Saffron replied. "Maybe just a little something."

Hermione put small portions on her daughter's plate. "Here you are."

"Thanks, Mum," Saffron said. "How was work?"

"Busy today," Hermione answered. "Did you have a nice afternoon with Sean?"

Saffron nodded and told them about her afternoon. "It was really nice to get out of the house."

"I'm glad you weren't moping about," Harry replied.

"I'm done with that," Saffron said. "It's not as much fun as you'd think."

"There is something that might make you happier," Hermione said handing her daughter a piece of parchment. "Small dogs are now accepted as pets at Hogwarts for sixth and seventh year students."

"WHAT?" Saffron screamed.

Harry laughed. "I think Oliver heard you in Scotland."

"Did you do this Mum?" Saffron asked when she'd calmed down. "I can bring Puddles now? Really, really?"

Hermione explained how she'd met with the school's board of governors. "It was a unanimous decision and provided that the students take care of the pets, the rule will stay in place."

Saffron threw herself at her mother. "Thank you, thank you, thank you so, so, so much!"

Hermione hugged her daughter. "You're welcome, love."

"Puddles!" Saffron called out.

The dog came scampering into the room, his tongue hanging out.

"You are coming to school with me, baby!" Saffron exclaimed, picking him up and hugging him to her.

Puddles eagerly licked her face.

"I think he's just feeding off your excitement," Harry chuckled.

"Don't listen to your father," Hermione said. "I think he's going to miss having Puddles around."

"You mean those 3 AM bathroom calls?" Harry asked dryly.

"You're going to miss him," Saffron said smiling at her father.

"A little," Harry admitted. "But nowhere near as much as I miss you when you're gone."

"I'm going to miss you guys, too," Saffron said.

"Come eat with us," Hermione moved out the chair. "We were hoping you'd get home in time to join us."

Saffron sat back down. "Dad, did you get any bad guys today?"

"Not today," Harry said. "Bit of a slow one, actually."

"You'll get them tomorrow," Saffron said.

"After golf, right?" Harry smiled at his daughter.

"Absolutely," Saffron said. "Or you can take your frustrations out on the course..."

"And hit the ball into the sand pit," Hermione interjected.

"I've gotten better," Harry said defensively.

"A little," Saffron giggled.

"A lot," Harry said.

"I hope I'm still good," Saffron grew pensive. "You know... I haven't golfed since before Grandpa died..."

"Oh, sweetheart," Hermione said reaching across the table for her daughter's hand.

"I still miss him so much," Saffron said softly. "I hope I haven't outgrown those clubs he gave me."

"We might be able to lengthen them if you have," Harry said.

"I hope so," Saffron answered. "I love those clubs."

"You want to come with, Hermione?" Harry asked his wife.

"I don't think so," Hermione shook her head. "This is your thing."

"Come on, Mum," Saffron pleaded. "Come with."

"I'll show you a few things," Harry said. "And then Saffy can show you how to do them right."

"Well, I suppose I can't turn that offer down," Hermione said. "I'll see if I clear my schedule."

"I hope you can," Saffron said.

"Me too," Hermione said.

She certainly noticed the change in her daughter since this morning. Getting over Andrew wasn't going to be easy, but Saffron had a good support system.

*** *** ***

Caroline getting the lead in The Swan Princess definitely put a strain on her friendship with Katie. Despite Caroline's efforts, Katie kept her distance. She didn't say more than a couple of words to Caroline during their classes and hadn't come over for play dates.

It didn't help matters that Lindsey Gill had installed herself as Katie's new best friend and made derogatory remarks whenever Caroline was in earshot.

"Don't worry about them," Mia told her cousin. "You're going to be great tonight." the two of them had grown extra close in the past few months.

"I just keep thinking about what Grandma told me," Caroline said. "To not worry about the crowd and to just concentrate on the dance."

"She's right," Mia squeezed her hand. "And you look so gorgeous. Just like Belle if she was a ballerina."

"Really?" Caroline beamed at her. "So do you."

"Sissy!" Emma came running up. "Sissy! Time to dance yet?" her little fox costume looked absolutely adorable with a tail and her red hair curled out everywhere.

"Not yet, Em," Caroline told her sister. "We still have a few minutes."

"Like my tail?" Emma turned and wiggled her little behind.

"I do," Mia told her cousin. "You look just like a real fox, Em."

Emma hugged her. "And you're pretty too!"

"Thanks, Em," Mia said. "And I bet you can't wait for the after party."

"For pizza!" Emma clapped happily.

Just the thought of food made Caroline feel ill. She was second-guessing her decision to be the lead. This was crazy. She kept seeing the people in the crowd laughing at her as she messed up the entire routine.

"Look at her," Lindsey nudged Katie. Both girls were dressed up in their chorus costumes. "She's absolutely scared out of her mind."

"I'm sure she'll do fine," Katie muttered.

"Katie," Lindsey said. "She looks like she wants to throw up."

Katie shrugged. At first hanging out with Lindsey had been fun, but now the other girl was sort of getting on her nerves. Almost as much as Mia, who had been quick to dodge in and take her place as Caroline's best friend.

"I'm going to touch up my hair," Lindsey said. "I'll be right back."

"Fine," Katie said, still looking over to the other side of the room.

Allison hurried over to where her daughters were sitting. "Okay, girls. I have to go and sit with Daddy and Adam. You both look absolutely beautiful..."

"Mummy," Caroline said. "I---I don't know if I can do this."

"Sweetheart," Allison knelt down in front of her. "What's wrong?"

Caroline's lower lip trembled. "I'm nervous."

"It's okay to be nervous," Allison reassured her. "But you've been practising for two months, Angel. You're going to be perfect. And we're all in the front row to watch."

Caroline nodded. "Okay..."

"You know this dance," Allison encouraged. "You've worked so hard. And we can't wait to see you up there sweetheart."

Emma put her arm around her sister. "Sissy be great!"

"Thanks Em," Caroline only felt a little better.

"You look adorable, Emma Madeline," Allison said to her youngest. "You remember to do exactly what Grandma and Aunt Chiaki say, okay?"

"Kay Mummy," Emma replied, playing with her tail.

Allison gave them both a kiss on the cheek. "You're going to be great, Caroline. You can do this, baby."

"Thanks," Caroline whispered. She felt as if she were going to be sick any moment.

Lindsey walked past Mia, Caroline and Emma and with a glint in her eye made an announcement that made Caroline feel even more nervous than she actually was.

"There's got to be at least 200 people out here," Lindsey said proudly.

Caroline gulped, her face turning completely ashen.

"Isn't that great?" Mia cast a glare at Lindsey. "Everyone will see what a perfect dancer you are."

"All those people," Lindsey said shaking her head. "Just watching...you."

"Go away," Mia glared at her. "You're just trying to make Caroline nervous."

"She didn't need me to do it," Lindsey said before sauntering off.

"Em has to go," Emma said starting to do a little dance.

Mia smiled. "I'll take her to the loo."

"Thanks," Caroline whispered.

"Come on, Em," Mia said taking her cousin's hand.

Caroline decided to go over the steps one last time but to her horror, she couldn't remember a single one.

Her hands were trembling and she had to fight off tears.

Katie noticed her friend's behaviour, but didn't say anything until she saw Lindsey making her way over to where Caroline was.

"I bet your grandmother and aunt are going to regret their decision," Lindsey said looking disdainfully at Caroline.

"Leave me alone," Caroline turned away from her. "I never did anything to you Lindsey."

"You took something that didn't belong to you," Lindsey retorted.

"Leave her alone!" Katie said coming up behind them.

Lindsey turned around and stared at Katie in shock. "What?"

"You heard me," Katie said firmly. "Leave. Her. Alone."

"Fine," Lindsey snapped. "See if I talk to YOU again!"

"See if I care," Katie said rolling her eyes.

Caroline looked uncertainly at Katie. "Thanks," she said quietly.

"I should have said something sooner," Katie admitted. She noticed the tears in her friend's eyes and she felt even worse for the things she'd thought about Caroline. "You really do look beautiful, Caroline. Just...just like Princess Odette."

Caroline shook her head. "But I can't remember the dance."

"Sure you do," Katie encouraged. "Do you remember what we used to do when we'd play fashion show?"

Caroline shook her head, not able to remember anything at the moment.

She and Caroline used to put on little fashion shows for their parents and cousins when they were younger. Even then, Caroline had been shy so Katie had placed Caroline's favourite teddy bear in one of the chairs so when she walked out, she could just look at the bear and forget the other faces.

"Just pick out one face and just concentrate on that," Katie told her. "Just to start and then once you're dancing you'll just be so caught up in the routine you won't even notice that there are all those people."

Caroline looked over at her. "My daddy's in the front row."

"Just look right at your daddy then," Katie said. "And you'll be okay. Just like when we did fashion show."

Caroline smiled a bit. "That does make me feel a little better."

"Too bad we didn't bring Mr. Bear," Katie said giggling.

"Then I wouldn't be nervous at all," Caroline replied. "Thanks Katie."

Katie smiled at her. "You're going to be great, Caroline."

"Will... will you go over the dance with me?" Caroline asked hesitantly.

"Of course," Katie said. "You want to start at the beginning?"

Caroline nodded gratefully.

Katie stood beside her friend and together they went through the routine.

"There," she said once they finished. "You've got it perfect."

Caroline beamed at her. "Thank you, Katie."

"You're my best friend," Katie said. "And I haven't been treating you so good. And I'm sorry."

"I missed you," Caroline said.

"I missed you too," Katie gave her a hug.

"I hate it when we fight," Caroline said.

"Yeah well, hanging out with Lindsey wasn't nearly as much fun as hanging out with you." Katie confessed.

Caroline grinned. "Let me guess...she always wanted to be the teacher, didn't she?"

"And she always had to be the best one," Katie rolled her eyes.

Mia and Emma came back over to join them. Mia was staring warily at Katie.

"It's okay," Caroline reassured her. "Katie's helping me."

"I have an idea," Katie said. "What if we do the Katoline dance? That always helps."

Emma clapped her hands. "Me too!"

"You know how to do it Em?" Caroline asked.

Emma nodded. "Em watched Sissy and Katie."

"Okay then," Katie said. "One... two... three..."

Caroline was grinning from ear to ear by the time they finished the dance.

"Okay, ladies," Cho announced. "It's time to take your places."

"You'll do great," Katie squeezed Caroline's hand.

"Thanks," Caroline whispered back. She felt much more confident now, even with the nasty looks Lindsey was shooting their way.

Katie took her place on stage with the other members of the chorus. Mia looked sideways at her. "That was really nice of you to help Caroline."

"She's my best friend," Katie answered.

Mia nodded. "She's mine, too."

Katie was spared from replying as Chiaki and Cho came out in front of them.

"All right girls," Cho clapped her hands. "Is everyone in their places?"

"Yes, Gamma!" Emma replied excitedly.

Cho smiled. "Ready for the curtain then. Good luck, everyone!"

Caroline took a deep breath as the curtain rose. She spotted her father right away in the front row.

Remembering what Katie said, she focused her eyes only on him and began to dance.

"That's it, Angel," Allison whispered watching her daughter.

"She's doing great," Jon said softly. "I'm so proud of her Al."

"Me too," Allison whispered.

Katie concentrated on her own movements while also keeping an eye on Caroline. She really was doing great. Even though a part of her wished it was she out there in the spotlight, she really was happy for Caroline. Her father always told her that everyone needs their moment to shine. Tonight was Caroline's.

She felt better than she had since before the auditions. Helping Caroline made her realise how much she still wanted to be best friends with her.

Caroline finished the first part of the routine and stood back with the chorus girls while the younger students did their dance.

Katie and Mia both gave her hugs. "You did great!" Mia whispered excitedly.

"I still have that one last thing to do," Caroline said but she knew the hard part was over. "Thanks!"

"Look!" Katie said pointing. "Em and Hannah!'

Emma was stealing the show as the little fox. She was so enthralled by her tail she was almost forgetting her steps.

Neville and Ron chuckled as Emma did an improvised movement by turning her back to the audience and shaking her tail.

"She is too much," Ron said with a grin.

"She's a complete ham," Neville agreed.

"Wonder where she gets that from?" Jon asked with a smartarse grin.

"I don't know, Mister Silly String," Allison teased, resting her head on Jon's shoulder.

Hannah was shyer than Emma was, but she remembered her steps well. Frankie was beaming with pride.

"Will she's doing so well," she said. "And she's so perfect as a chipmunk!"

Will was who was taping the event, nodded in agreement. "That's our girl!"

Hannah sent her parents a little wave as they finished their part of the dance.

Caroline took another deep breath. She was going out on the stage by herself for this last part of the routine. "Break a leg, Caroline!" Katie whispered.

"Thanks," Caroline squeezed both her friends' hands before heading back out to the centre of the stage.

Caroline focused on her father before starting her dance. The butterflies left her stomach and she concentrated on her movements.

"She's awesome," Mia whispered in awe.

"Yes, she is," Katie agreed as the music ended.

The two girls clapped enthusiastically as Caroline curtsied to everyone.

The audience stood and clapped for the students and Caroline blushed. She'd actually done this!

Cho motioned for the chorus girls to come out and bow with Caroline.

Katie and Mia hurried to stand beside Caroline.

"Bravo!" Nick exclaimed.

The group of girls curtsied again and Emma's group came forward to loud applause.

Emma held Hannah's hand as the two girls took a bow.

"We did good, Han." Emma bubbled.

Hannah grinned and caught sight of her parents. She gave them a little wave.

"Good job baby!" Frankie called.

"How many pictures did you take?" Julie asked Frankie.

"Fifty," Frankie admitted.

Julie laughed. "And your cameraman over there."

"We had to get every moment," Frankie replied as the lights went on.

Jon came forward with flowers for both his daughters.

"You both were incredible," he said proudly. "Both my girls!"

Caroline hugged him tightly. "Thank you, Daddy."

"You're welcome Angel," Jon kissed her cheek. "You did a fantastic job. I couldn't take my eyes off you."

"I looked right at you," Caroline told him.

"I saw," Jon replied. "Your mum and I are so proud, Angel."

"And of me!" Emma jumped up and down. "Right Daddy?"

Jon picked her up. "Of course, my little fox. I saw you up there shaking your bum."

"Like this!" Emma demonstrated.

"Absolutely," Jon chuckled.

Off to the side, Katie was getting praise from her sister, grandparents and father. Julie was talking with Chiaki and a few moments later, Julie approached her daughter.

"Do you have any idea of how proud I am of you, Katherine Rose?" Julie asked.

"You are?" Katie asked. "For what?"

"For doing so well up there," Julie replied. "And for what you did to help Caroline. Chiaki told me."

Katie smiled. "She needed me."

"That's my girl," Julie said giving her a big hug.

"Did I do a good job though Mummy?" Katie asked.

"You were wonderful, baby," Julie said softly giving her another hug.

Katie held onto her mother tightly. "And Em was so, so cute out there."

"She was," Julie said as Caroline ran over to join them.

"Aunt Julie, are you coming to Daddy's pub?" Caroline asked. "Please?"

"I think we could manage that," Julie said with a grin. "You were wonderful out there Caroline!"

"Thanks," Caroline said. "I couldn't have done it without Katie."

Julie smiled proudly at her daughter. "Then we'll celebrate for all of you tonight."

"Get a picture of us," Katie told her father. "Caroline, me, Hannah, Em, and...Mia."

"Yes ma'am," Nick saluted as all the girls gathered together.

"Don't forget Em's tail!" Emma pulled it around in front of her.

Nick laughed. "I've got it, Em."

Caroline put her arms around her two best friends and grinned widely. Tonight was without a doubt the happiest night of her life.

190. Chapter 190

Authors’ Note: Here’s the promised Jon/Josh flashback! We hope you enjoy it!

As summer came to a close, Josh was starting to work on his next book. He was going to use the time to work at home and spend time with the triplets. Josh was always one for schedules and he'd planned out his day by saying he'd work for a couple of hours after getting up and then he'd feed the babies and while they played, he'd work some more. There was no reason to think that wouldn't work perfectly. That was how he'd written the last book.

Of course, the triplets had been babies then and spent most of their time sleeping.

"DADDY!" Casey shrieked. "No-ah Daddy!"

Josh pushed back from his desk chair and turned around to see his daughter standing in the doorway.

"What's wrong, Case?" Josh asked.

"No-ah," Casey's lower lip was trembling. "Mean!"

Josh crossed the room and picked her up. He'd left the three of them in their nursery happily playing just a few minutes ago. "What did he do?"

Casey let out a little choked sob. "My bear."

"Let's go and get it back from him," Josh said patting her back in a comforting fashion.

"Kay," Casey rested her head on his shoulder. "Love Daddy."

"I love you too, baby," Josh said softly.

He carried her into the nursery where Aidan and Noah were playing with Casey's teddy bear.

"Boys," Josh said. "Let Casey have her bear back."

"MINE!" Aidan exclaimed hugging it to him.

"That's Casey's," Josh said firmly. "You boys have your own bears."

"GIVE BACK!" Casey screamed right in Josh's ear.

Josh winced. "Case... calm down baby. Aidan, please give your sister her bear and Daddy will go find yours."

Noah toddled over to his father and kicked him hard on the shin. "NO!"

"Ow!" Josh had to set Casey down. "Noah! That's very bad! You're going to have a time out in your crib."

Casey reached for the bear, but Aidan pulled it away causing Casey to fall on her bum.

Casey began to howl at the top of her lungs, as did Noah as Josh set him in his crib.

Josh put his head in his hands. He'd thought this would be easy. No matter what he did here, all three of them would be angry and upset.

"Josh?" Ron asked tapping on the door. "Son, I've been ringing the bell for about ten minutes. Didn't you hear?"

"Over this?" Josh asked, looking up

"Gampa, Daddy mean!" Casey exclaimed pointing at Josh.

"What?" Ron crouched down. "Why is your daddy mean?"

Casey shook her head and threw her arms around Ron's neck.

"There needs to be three of me," Josh said with a sigh. "One for each of them."

"You're doing all right," Ron said, patting Casey's back. "I was the same way with you and Jon."

"We weren't THIS bad," Josh said shaking his head.

Ron chortled. "You want to bet?"

"Jon maybe, but not me," Josh said defensively.

Ron sat down in the rocking chair with Casey. "Let me just tell you a story about your Uncle Jon and your daddy when they were about your age..."

***

It was the first weekend Ron ever had to care for his sons by himself. Luna was away on an assignment until Sunday evening.

"Are you sure you don't want me to stay?" Molly asked. She'd dropped off a casserole for him and the twins.

"Nah," Ron said. "How hard could it be?"

"You can owl me if you need anything, Ronald," Molly said giving him a hug.

"Thanks Mum," Ron resisted the urge to ask for biscuits. "We'll be all right."

Molly gave her two grandsons a big hug. "You boys be good for your Daddy," she cooed.

"Bye! Bye!" Jon said waving at her.

"Bye Gamma," Josh wagged his hand too. Of the two boys, he was a little more articulate than his brother.

"The boys and I are going to have a good time," Ron assured his mother.

"Da!" Jon pushed himself up.

Molly grinned. "Good luck, boys."

"Byeeeeeee," Josh said, throwing himself at Ron's legs.

Molly gave her son one last look before she Apparated away.

Ron tousled Josh's hair. "Okay, boys. I say we eat first."

"Eat," Jon nodded. "Eat oodle."

"No noodles tonight," Ron said. "Your nana has made you both a really good casserole with chicken and vegetables..."

"Yuck," Josh said, making a face. "Want oodles."

"You love chicken casserole," Ron said. "Let's get you in your chairs..."

Josh kicked out his legs. "NO!!!" he howled.

Ron struggled with him. "Calm down, Joshie. Hang on..."

"No want!" Jon banged his little fist on the floor. "Want oodle!"

Ron wasn't going to make them eat the casserole. "Okay....fine. I'll make some noodles, but you don't know what you're missing out on."

"Down," Josh kicked at his chair. "Down!"

"Okay, you two can play while I make some noodles," Ron said setting Josh down on the floor. "Come on, you guys. We're going to have a boy’s weekend, right?"

Josh looked up at his father for a few minutes before glancing over at his brother.

Jon picked up one of the toy trucks that his Grandpa Ernie had given him and Josh. "Vroom!'

"Vroom," Josh echoed, reaching for another truck.

Ron smiled at them. Crisis averted, he thought to himself. He walked over to the pantry and pulled out a box of noodles. Truth be told, he was kind of glad he wouldn't have to share his mother's casserole with his sons. "More for me," he said with a grin.

"More!" Jon shoved the truck towards Ron's foot as he backed up, stepping on it.

"Da!" Jon frowned.

"Whoa!" Ron wobbled dangerously for a second.

Josh wheeled his truck in Ron's direction. "Vroooooooooom!"

"Boys!" Ron was glad his hands weren't full. "What are you trying to do to Daddy?"

Josh laughed and tugged on Ron's leg. "Joos?"

"What's that?" Ron asked. "You want some juice?"

Josh shook his head. "See Joos!"

"Joos?" Ron asked. "Oh... Jules. You want to see Julie!"

Josh nodded and clapped his hands. "Joos!"

"Joos," Jon echoed, slamming the toy truck repeatedly on the floor.

"Stop that, Jonathan," Ron said. "And as for Julie, she's at home with Aunt Hermione and Uncle Harry."

"Joos NOW!" Josh demanded.

Ron looked down at him. "Let's finish those noodles, eh?"

"NOW!" Josh hollered.

Ron didn't notice that the water was starting to boil behind him on the stove.

"Da!" Jon pointed.

"Just a minute, Jon," Ron said. "Joshua...you know that you cannot yell like that..."

"Da! Look!" Jon pointed.

"Jonathan," Ron said sternly. "I'm talking to your bro--"

Jon pointed again. "Mess!"

"What?" Ron spun around. "SHIT!"

He turned off the burner and reached for a rag to mop up the water.

"Shit," Josh echoed.

"Hey!" Ron spun around. "Joshua Lawrence Weasley, you do not say that!"

"Shit, shit, shit," Josh sing-songed.

"Joshua!" Ron said sternly. "Stop that right now!"

Josh nodded and sank down onto the floor.

Ron sighed. "Okay, I'm just going to clean this up and we'll start over...right, Jon? Jon?"

He turned around, but Jon was nowhere to be found. "Jonathan!"

The little boy, meanwhile, had gone into the sitting room and was currently trying to tug down his box of blocks from a higher shelf on the book case.

"Mmmph," Jon said reaching for the box, but it was out of reach. He looked up at the shelf for a few moments before deciding to climb up there to get them.

He pulled himself onto the bottom shelf, not noticing as a few loose trinkets fell to the floor.

Paddington looked up from his perch on the sofa.

"Shhhh, Paddy!" Jon whispered.

The dog pushed himself off the sofa and nudged Jon with his nose.

"Jonathan!" Ron called out. "Where are you?"

"No tell, Paddy," Jon shook his head as he pulled himself up on another shelf.

Ron looked in his and Luna's bedroom and then in the nursery. His son wasn't there. "Where is your brother?" Ron asked Josh.

"Don't know?" Josh raised his little hands.

"He's almost two," Ron reasoned. "He couldn't have gone far."

"There?" Josh pointed to the loo.

"Let's look," Ron said.

Meanwhile, Jon had gotten up about four shelves and was reaching for his box of blocks.

He had his hands on the box and he gave one last tug.

"Daddy!" Jon called as he began to topple backwards.

Ron heard Jon call out for him and he ran into the sitting room. "Jonathan!"

Ron set Josh down but not before Jon toppled backwards, luckily his fall was cushioned by Paddington, who had situated himself beneath the toddler. The same could not be said for the room, which was in complete disarray.

"Oooooh!" Jon said surprised at what had happened.

Ron sighed. "Jonathan Arthur, what did you do?"

"Fall," Jon replied innocently.

"Mess!" Josh said happily, kicking the blocks across the room.

Ron sank down onto the sofa. "Luna doesn't come back for two whole days."

"Miss Mummy," Jon said at the sound of his mother's name.

"Me too," Ron said morosely. "Me too."

"Want Mummy," Josh threw a block at the window.

"Me too," Ron said picking up a block and throwing it.

"Throw!" Jon whipped one as well.

"What in the world?" a familiar voice called out from behind them.

"Mama!" Jon exclaimed scrambling to his feet.

"Luna, what are you doing here?" Ron asked.

Luna looked around the sitting room. "It looks like something blew up in here...."

"We um... had a little accident," Ron said sheepishly. "But what are you doing home?"

"I missed my boys," Luna said as Jon and Josh toddled over to her.

"We all missed you too," Ron said, relieved that she was home.

Luna gave the twins a hug. "I missed you soooooo much!"

"Mess, Mummy!" Josh said happily.

"I can see that," Luna said kissing his cheek.

"Fell down," Jon chimed in.

"He climbed the bookcase," Ron said wearily. "I burned water. I don’t' know why I thought I could do this alone."

Luna carried the boys back over to the sofa and sat down with them. "Ronald, you did fine. I mean, I was kind of expecting the house to be burned down..."

"Gee thanks," Ron said sarcastically.

"I'm kidding," Luna said leaning in and giving him a kiss. "You're a great father."

"Love Dada," Josh climbed over to him,

"Thanks, Josh," Ron said hugging him. "I love you, too, mate."

***

"See?" Josh said. "Jon caused much more trouble than I did."

"Yes, but you both nearly drove me crazy that weekend," Ron pointed out. He looked down to see that Casey was fast asleep. "And I apparently bored your little girl..."

"Thank goodness," Josh said ruefully. "Aidan's the only one awake now." Noah had also fallen asleep in his crib.

"You're going to have your hands full," Ron said. "But you knew that..."

"Yeah," Josh nodded. "And I wouldn't trade it for anything..."

"You're a good dad, Josh," Ron said grinning at his son.

"I try," Josh sat down next to Aidan. "Do you want to take a kip?"

Aidan shook his head. "Read?"

"We can read," Josh nodded. "Why don't you show Grandpa your favourite book?"

Aidan nodded and went over to the bookshelf. He pulled out a blue book and handed it to Ron. Ron took it gingerly trying not to wake Casey.

"The Cat in the Hat?" Ron asked.

"We can go in the sitting room and read there," Josh said with a grin.

"Kay," Aidan said happily.

Ron grinned. "Let's put Case down first."

Josh picked up his son as Ron gently laid Casey in her bed. "Sleep tight sweetheart," he said softly.

"Love Daddy," Aidan said resting his head on Josh's shoulder.

"I love you too buddy," Josh said, happy now that he was able to spend time with his children this way.

*** *** ***

Ashley had been at Hogwarts for a little over a month now and was loving every minute of it. Much to her surprise and delight, she had been sorted into Gryffindor with her aunt and Alexa. During the weekends, while the weather was still nice, Ashley would go outside and draw as many pictures of the castle from different angles as she could.

Saffron was throwing herself into her position as Head Girl and was also juggling her role as Quidditch captain. She was in the middle of holding tryouts and Alexa was watching from the stands.

"Okay," she said briskly. She had decided to keep on Imelda from before without even making her try out and the two of them were standing together. "What should we try out first? Keeper?"

"I think so," Imelda replied. "How many people are trying out for that position?"

"Four," Saffron consulted her sign up sheet.

"Parker's trying out?" Imelda asked rolling her eyes. "He can barely stay on a broom!"

"I know," Saffron sighed. "The joys of being the only pros, right?"

Imelda shook her head. "We're going to get creamed by Slytherin."

"No we aren't," Saffron said. "Not on my watch."

"Positive thinking," Imelda said thoughtfully. "I can do that."

Saffron smiled. "Okay....let's see...Mimi Doyle?" Mimi was trying out for Quidditch?

"Here," Mimi bounced forward.

"You hate Quidditch," Saffron pointed out. "You're always telling me what a complete and utter waste of time it is."

"Can't a girl change her mind?" Mimi asked.

Saffron looked quizzically at her friend. "Um...okay. Well, how about you show us what you can do?"

Mimi came forward. "Um... I got a lot of tips this summer," she said quietly. "From Ol-- Professor Wood. But don't tell anyone I told you, okay?"

Saffron nodded. "So you're getting used to the idea of him dating your mum?" she asked in a low voice.

"Kind of," Mimi shrugged. "It's soooooo weird just like... seeing him sitting around my house."

"I can imagine," Saffron said. "But I'm all for you taking up Quidditch, Meems."

"I just hope I can pass your tryout," Mimi replied, getting onto her broom.

"Good luck," Saffron said.

"Thanks," Mimi took off into the air and headed for the goal posts.

"Think she's going to be any good?" Imelda asked Saffron.

"I'm not sure," Saffron said. "If she's been getting instructions from one of the greatest Quidditch players in the world, she might have an advantage."

"Aaron, Thomas," Saffron said to two of the boys who were trying out. "Go up there and see if she can defend the goal."

"All right," Aaron said, taking off, Thomas following behind.

Mimi was flying back and forth between the three goals and Saffron was expecting her to let the Quaffle go straight through. Thomas threw it right at Mimi and she expertly deflected it to Saffron's surprise. There was no time to relax though as Aaron caught the ball and he too sent it hurling toward the goal.

Mimi dove for it and used the back of her broom to knock it away. Saffron recognised that move as one of Oliver Wood's classics.

"Whoa," Imelda said in an impressed tone.

"She's doing great!" Saffron was impressed.

"Unbelievable," Imelda agreed, watching as Mimi deflected every attempt by Aaron and Thomas.

"She's definitely on my list," Saffron wrote her name down. "What do you think?"

Imelda nodded and smiled at Mimi when she landed. "Great job, Doyle."

"Thanks," Mimi said breathlessly.

"I'm very impressed, Meems," Saffron said clutching her clipboard to her chest. "Does this mean Beth's going to try out for beater?"

Mimi laughed. "Hardly. She can't believe I actually wanted to try out."

Saffron laughed. "Well you did a great job. I'm really proud of you."

"Thanks, Saffy," Mimi said. She spotted the headmaster standing over by the stands. "I'll be right back."

"Say hello to your stepfather," Saffron teased before turning back to the rest of the students.

Mimi was still getting used to the idea of her mother dating Oliver Wood. It was quite bizarre to see him sitting in their kitchen or coming by to pick her mother up for a date. The divorce had taken quite a toll on her mother and Mimi was happy to see her mother smiling again.

"Excellent flying, Miss Doyle," Oliver said smiling at her.

"Thank you sir," Mimi blushed. "I mean um... am I supposed to call you Oliver here?"

"Probably not," Oliver replied. "Cheryl will be pleased when I tell her how well your tryout went."

"I hope me being friends with Saffron doesn't make everyone think she just handed me the spot if I make it," Mimi replied.

"Miss Potter takes her Quidditch seriously as everyone here knows," Oliver told her. "And if you make the team, you can believe that it's because you earned the spot, fair and square. She's not going to put you on the team if she doesn't believe you can cut it."

Mimi blushed again, but this time with pride. "Thank you. And thanks again for those tips. I never knew playing Quidditch was more fun than watching it."

"Best sport in the world," Oliver said with a grin.

"I agree," Mimi grinned back.

From the stands, Ashley watched a few more minutes of the tryouts. She'd been working on a sketch of her aunt that she hoped to give her for Christmas. It was of Saffron flying high above the Quidditch pitch.

"Nice weather isn't it?" someone asked.

Ashley looked up to see one of the first year boys coming toward her. She hadn't had a chance to get to know her fellow first-years. Mostly she'd spent her time getting used to her classes, sketching, and eating meals with Saffron and Alexa.

"Oh... yeah." she said shyly.

The boy looked out at the Gryffindors on the pitch for a few moments before sitting down beside Ashley. "I don't think we've been introduced. I'm Zander."

"I'm Ashley," she said. "Ashley Malfoy."

"Are you trying out?" Zander asked.

"No," Ashley shook her head. "I don't think first year students are allowed to."

"Harry Potter was," Zander said and then laughed. "But, of course, you'd know that."

"Right," Ashley blushed. "He's my grandfather."

She was used to people trying to be her friend because of who her father was or who her grandfather was. She hoped that this wasn't the case. Ashley waited for him to ask her about her father's latest tour or her grandfather's battle against Voldemort. But, he didn't.

"I'd try out, but I'm complete rubbish," he said.

"Maybe you should take some lessons during summer hols," Ashley said.

"Maybe," Zander said leaning back on his elbows. "What were you drawing?"

Ashley blushed again. "Just a picture," she said shyly.

"Can I see?" Zander asked.

"Promise you won't laugh?" she asked uncertainly.

"I promise," Zander said. "I'm not one to judge, Ashley. I can't even draw a stick figure."

Ashley smiled and held out her sketchbook.

Zander opened the first page and grinned. "That's the castle!"

"Yeah," Ashley said. "I've been drawing it every chance I get."

Zander looked at the next six pages which were all different angles of the castle.

"These are really, really good," Zander complimented her.

"Thanks," Ashley said proudly. "I love to draw. I never want to do anything other than be an artist."

Zander handed the sketchbook back to her. "I wish I knew what I wanted to do."

"We're only eleven," Ashley said. "You've got loads of time to figure it out."

"That's what my mum and dad say," Zander said.

He and Ashley watched the tryouts for a few moments and Ashley stifled a laugh as she watched her aunt chastise one of the students.

"She's intense," Zander commented. "Remind me to never get on her bad side."

"Aunt Saffy's not so bad," Ashley said thoughtfully. "She's really sweet, but only when she's not mad at you."

Zander laughed. "Again, remind me never to get on her bad side."

Ashley giggled. "I'll tell her to take it easy on you if you do make her mad."

He grinned at her. "Thanks, Ash."

"Hey Zander," a girl with long dark hair was climbing up the seats. "What're you doing?"

"Hey Brit," Zander greeted her. "Just talking."

"About what?" Brittany asked sitting down beside him.

"This is Ashley," Zander introduced. "Ash, this is Brittany Murray."

"Hi," Ashley said shyly. She recognised the girl from her dormitory, although they hadn't spoken.

"We live in the same dorm, Zander," Brittany laughed. "I know who she is."

Zander made a goofy face at her. "I wasn't sure if you two knew each other or not."

"Ashley lucked out and got the bed beside the door," Brittany told him. "I have to sleep beside Corinne who snores."

"She is pretty loud," Ashley agreed.

Brittany smiled. "Thank you. I tried to tell her that."

"Maybe I can ask my aunt about silencing charms?" Ashley suggested. "Or maybe she can come up and put one on Corinne's bed."

"You'd do that?" Brittany asked. "Thanks..."

"Sure," Ashley replied with a shy smile.

"Brit," Zander sat up. "You should see how good Ash is at drawing."

"Oooh, can I?" Brittany asked eagerly.

Ashley was still uncertain about so many people wanting to see her work but she handed the other girl her sketchbook. "They're really not THAT great," she said self consciously.

"She's lying," Zander said. "They're fantastic."

"Oh my gosh," Brittany was wide eyed. "You drew that? For real?"

Ashley nodded. "I told you..."

"This is amazing!" Brittany was highly impressed. "I mean, they look just like pictures!"

Ashley blushed. "You really think so?"

"Definitely," Brittany looked through the rest of the book. "You should see my stick people. They're awesome."

Ashley giggled. "We'll have to see them sometime."

"Definitely," Brittany smiled at her.

"So did you two know each other before you came here?" Ashley asked.

"You could say that," Brittany rolled her eyes playfully. "He's my cousin."

"Oh," Ashley replied. "That's cool. You knew someone already."

"It helped," Zander replied. "And you're all in with the older crowd." he teased.

Ashley blushed again. "Well, it's just my aunt and her best friend. They've been looking out for me."

"It's still pretty cool," Brittany brushed her hair out of her eyes. "I mean, Saffron IS Head Girl. And Alexa's really, really nice."

"She is," Ashley agreed.

"Would you want to eat dinner with us?" Zander asked.

At first, Ashley wasn't sure she heard right. "You want me to have dinner with you?" she repeated.

"Absolutely," Zander replied.

"Okay," Ashley said, with a flutter of excitement. These people wanted to be her friends- and not for who her family was! They had not once asked her anything about her father or grandfather.

"Great," Zander smiled at her.

"Thanks," Ashley smiled shyly at them.

"We should get back to the castle," Brittany said. "I wanted to work on my Charms essay before dinner."

Ashley tucked her sketchbook into her bag. She'd wanted to stay and watch more of the tryouts, but she wanted more to spend time with her new friends. "Okay." she agreed.

"I just want to say goodbye to my aunt," she said. "Can you wait for me?"

Zander nodded. "Sure."

"Thanks," Ashley headed down towards the field.

Saffron was going over some things with Imelda when Ashley tapped her on the shoulder. "Hey, Ash."

"I just wanted to let you know I'm going back to the castle," Ashley told her. "Um... I met a few people and we're going to do homework before dinner."

Saffron grinned. "That's great, Ash!"

Ashley smiled. "I'm going to eat dinner with them too, I hope you won't mind if I don't sit with you and Alexa tonight..."

"Look at you," Saffron said nudging her. "I told you that you'd make friends."

"They're really nice," Ashley said, glancing back at them.

"Zander Murray," Saffron said following Ashley's gaze. "He seems like a nice bloke."

"He is," Ashley nodded. "And that's his cousin Brittany."

"Have fun," Saffron said giving her a quick hug.

"Good luck," Ashley said. "I'll see you later." she waved as she headed back to her new friends.

"Thanks," Saffron said watching her niece for a few moments before returning her attention to the tryouts.

"No way," one of the boys was saying. "This is going to be Andrew Kirke's year."

Saffron couldn't help but perk up her ears at the name.

"I don't know," the boy's friend said. "He might not get playing time."

"Rubbish," the boy said. "He really came into his own last season."

"He did win that game against Puddlemere," the boy's friend nodded. "And I did hear he's in the starting team this year."

"Saffy?" Imelda asked. "Saffy? Hello...."

"Sorry," Saffron shook her head. "Um... next up, Beaters."

"I guess that'd be me," Imelda said grabbing her broom.

"You've already got a spot," Saffron took her arm. "Melds, you're one of the best. I already know that."

"I should try out like everyone else," Imelda argued.

"Save yourself the effort," Saffron replied. "I'm picking you for one spot."

"Saffy---" Imelda protested.

"Don't argue with me," Saffron replied. "You're a Beater. End of story."

"Okay," Imelda relented. "Thank you, Saffron."

Saffron beamed at her. "You're like my second in command here."

Imelda grinned. "I like the sound of that."

The two girls watched the students up in the air. "That one over there, he's pretty good." Saffron said. "Jack, something or other?"

"Jack Logan," Imelda said. "Yeah...he is."

"I like his style," Saffron nodded.

"He's a fifth year," Imelda said. "I think he tried out last year and didn't make it."

"He might this year," Saffron wrote something down on her clipboard.

"Look at her," Imelda pointed to a girl flying near the goalposts. "She's not too bad, either."

"Nellie MacFarlan," Saffron said. "Her great, great, great grandfather was Hamish MacFarlan. He was the captain of the Magpies a long time ago."

"Seems like great-granddad taught her a few tricks," Imelda commented.

"I think she's in," Saffron nodded.

"So," Imelda said. "That leaves us with you at Seeker; Mimi as Keeper...."

"You as a Beater," Saffron added. "I think Nellie's a bit better than Jack as the other Beater, but maybe we can see if he's any good as a Chaser, too. I like his style up there."

Imelda waved at Jack and he flew down to see what she had to say.

"You ever play Chaser, Jack?" Imelda asked him.

"Once or twice," Jack replied. "Why?"

"We'd like to try you out for that position," Saffron told him.

"As a chaser?" Jack asked uncertainly.

"There's a lot of great players here," Saffron told him. "And you're one of them. We just want to see how you do at that position, Jack."

"Okay, I guess," Jack replied.

"Off you go," Saffron said.

"I think he'll do good," Imelda's eyes followed him up into the air.

"We'll see," Saffron said thoughtfully.

It took several hours, but Saffron was glad when tryouts were over. "Okay!" she motioned for the students to gather around. "You all did great, but unfortunately we only have a few spots to fill."

Mimi hadn't realised how much she'd wanted this until she'd tried out a couple of hours ago. She knew that she wasn't as experienced as the other players here.

"Okay," Saffron looked at her clipboard. "Imelda here has one position as Beater, and the other goes to Nellie MacFarlan."

"Jack Logan, Aaron Reynolds and Thomas Patterson will be our chasers," Saffron continued. "I will be Seeker and last, but not least, playing the position of keeper will be...Mimi Doyle."

Mimi's jaw dropped. "ARE YOU SERIOUS?" she shrieked.

Saffron nodded. "Congratulations to you all. I will be posting a practise schedule tomorrow morning."

Mimi was still in shock and when she looked over towards the stands, she saw Oliver Wood standing there with a proud grin.

Saffron approached her friend. "You really surprised me today, Meems."

"I did?" Mimi asked. "Really, Saffy? You didn't just pick me because we're friends?"

"You don't see me putting Alexa on here, do you?" Saffron asked her. "Meems...I want to win. I picked the best possible team. You should know that I don't play favourites."

Mimi smiled. "Thanks."

"Your parents are going to be really proud," Saffron said.

Mimi blushed. "Oliver's right over there. Um... I mean Professor Wood--"

"I can tell he's proud," Saffron said with a grin. "But I'm sure your dad is going to be excited, too."

"I-I haven't really spoken to him," Mimi admitted.

"You haven't?" Saffron asked.

"The divorce was over two years ago," Mimi told her. "They told me that they'd just grown apart, but the truth was...the truth is...my father was cheating on my mum."

Saffron gaped at her. "No way!"

Mimi nodded. "He's written to me, but I've not written him back. I just don't know how to react to that, Saffy."

"I understand," Saffron hugged her friend. "I'm sorry Meems."

"Thanks," Mimi said. "It's been hard. I haven't even told Beth about it."

"Well if you want to talk about it, I'm here," Saffron said.

"Thanks," Mimi said. "I appreciate that."

Saffron smiled at her. "Well I'll see you at practise in the morning, Doyle. Bright and early!"

"Yes, ma'am," Mimi said giving her a mock salute.

"I like that," Saffron teased. "Respect."

Mimi laughed. "Oh no. Now you'll expect me to do that every time I see you. I'd better get out of here."

"See you later," Saffron said gathering up some of the gear. She noticed a discarded magazine by a Quaffle. The smile on her face fell when she saw the cover. Quidditch Weekly's cover boy was none other than Andrew.

She sighed as she picked it up. Merlin, she missed him more than anything.

His smiling face stared up at her and she wondered if he was missing her. Probably not, she thought. He was probably on a date right now.

She was only partially right. He wasn't on a date, but he was getting ready for one.

191. 191

You guys do get to see Andrew’s date, as well as some RJ/Audrey. Jon also reveals a big secret (like you guys don’t know what it is lol) to Vic and there’s some Weasley family time. Please review!

He'd started to accept the fact that he and Saffron were over. RJ kept telling him to quit dwelling on it, but that was easy for him to say. RJ and Audrey were going strong.

He still had a picture of them sitting on his dresser and he took it now and stuffed it into a drawer. "Stop thinking about her," he told himself.

"Who are you going out with tonight then?" RJ asked from the doorway.

"Natalia," Andrew answered. "That new girl on the team. She's from Italy."

"Oooh," RJ grinned.

"What are you up to?" Andrew changed the subject.

"Waiting for Audrey," RJ said. "She's coming by when she finishes her shift."

"Things going well for you two, then?" Andrew asked.

"Still early days, but we're good," RJ replied.

"I'm glad," Andrew smoothed down his shirt. "I like her."

"I do too," RJ said. "Where are you taking Natalia?"

"She knows someplace down in Diagon Alley that I've never heard of," Andrew answered. "Supposedly has great French food."

"So you're taking the Italian girl for French food in London," RJ joked.

"Crazy isn't it?" Andrew replied with a small smile.

RJ knew his friend was still thinking about Saffron and he still felt guilty for the part he played in their break-up.

"I should get going," Andrew said. "I'll see you later, mate. Tell Audrey I said hi."

"Try and have fun tonight, Andrew," RJ called after him.

"I'll try," he answered. "Thanks."

RJ was surprising Audrey with dinner and he went back into the kitchen to check on it. He hadn't had that much opportunity to cook, but thought it might be nice to make dinner for the two of them.

The chicken recipe was from Allison, and the rice pudding was Hermione's recipe. It was simple, but he hoped she would like it.

At just gone eight, there was a knock on his door.

"You have impeccable timing," he said with a grin.

Audrey grinned back at him. "I'm glad I had the early shift. Just as I was leaving, a stag party showed up."

"Then I'm definitely glad you left," RJ took her coat.

"Your brother can handle them," Audrey said giving him a kiss. "Oooooh....what smells so good?"

"Dinner," RJ said. "Thought I'd surprise you."

"You know that no bloke has ever cooked for me other than my dad," Audrey told him.

"I always did say I liked being a first," RJ grinned.

"Behave," Audrey said following him into the kitchen. She noticed a bottle of juice on the counter and her nose scrunched up as she read the label. "Pumpkin juice?"

"You have to try some," RJ said. "It's fantastic stuff."

"No thank you," Audrey said shaking her head.

"Just a little taste," RJ said. "If you don't like it, I went and got your favourite..."

"Okay," Audrey said laughing. "I'll have a taste."

RJ poured her a little in a glass. "What do you think?" he asked after she'd swallowed it.

"It's...it's different," Audrey replied.

RJ laughed. "Diet Coke it is, then."

"Thank you," Audrey beamed at him. She looked around. "Where is Andrew?"

"Out on a date," RJ answered. "So we've got the place all... to... ourselves..."

Audrey grinned. "Don't you go getting any ideas, mister."

"Just a few?" RJ pouted.

"A few, maybe," Audrey said sitting down at the table. "So...who did Andrew go out with?"

"A girl named Natalia," RJ answered. "From his team."

"Oh," Audrey said thoughtfully. "Colleen was hoping he might give her a call."

"I'd tell her not to wait around," RJ said truthfully. "Andrew... right now he's really not looking for anything serious."

"He still loves your friend, Saffron," Audrey said. "It's hard to get over your first love."

RJ nodded. "Yeah... you could say that."

"He just needs time," Audrey said as RJ set a plate in front of her. "Oooooh...this looks delicious."

"It's Allie's chicken recipe that she's planning on giving to Vic," RJ said. "Thought you might like to see how it is before the masses do."

Audrey grinned at him. "Your sister-in-law's quite the cook."

"Yeah she is," RJ sat down across from her. "I could sit in her kitchen all day."

Audrey took a bite and RJ looked expectantly at her.

"It's yummy," Audrey replied.

He grinned in relief. "Good. I was worried I cooked it too long."

"It's just right," Audrey said. "So, how was your day?"

"Pretty good," RJ nodded. "I was really just looking forward to you being here tonight."

"He cooks. He's handsome. He says all the right things," Audrey said reaching for his hand.

RJ grinned at her. "Only the best for you."

They finished their dinner and afterwards, they relaxed on the sofa. "This is nice."

"Yes it is," he agreed. "I really like doing stuff with you."

"Since I gave you a second chance?" Audrey asked.

"Yeah," he said. "I'm really glad for that."

"There's so much to get used to," Audrey admitted.

"I know you still probably have a lot of questions," RJ squeezed her hand. "And I promise to still answer any of them."

"Your brother still hasn't told Victoria," Audrey said. "I just think it would be best if she knew..."

"I'm leaving that up to him," RJ said. "I can't be the one to go in there and tell her."

Audrey nodded. "Victoria's really open-minded. I know you guys have to keep your secrets, but she's his partner."

"He knows," RJ assured her. "He's still planning on saying something. He just wants it to be the right time."

"Kind of like you?" Audrey asked.

"Sort of," RJ ran his hand through his hair.

Audrey leaned in and kissed him. "You don't have to feel guilty. I wish you'd have been honest with me from the start, but I understand why you couldn't."

"And I'm glad you have a somewhat forgiving nature," RJ pulled her closer. "At least for me..."

"You're hard to stay mad at," Audrey said softly.

"I've got that going for me," RJ kissed her again.

"Yes you do," Audrey said resting her forehead on his. "And we'll figure all of this out...together."

"Right," he said, loosening her ponytail. "I really, really like you Audrey."

"I like you too," Audrey smiled at him.

RJ kissed her again, pulling her onto his lap.

"This must be one of your ideas," Audrey teased.

"Could be," he said mischievously. "Care to find out any of the others?"

"Hmmm, what did you have in mind?" Audrey said before kissing him again.

He ran his hands up her back, still over her clothes. "That, for starters..."

"Good so far," Audrey whispered.

Kissing her again, he pushed her down gently onto the sofa. "And there's that..."

"Mmmhmmm," Audrey murmured.

They spent a good deal of the evening on the sofa, snogging. He was nearly breathless when they finally pulled apart.

"It's late," Audrey said smoothing down her jumper.

"A little, yeah," RJ said reluctantly.

"Thank you for tonight," Audrey said.

"I'll walk you home," RJ said. "Doesn't have to be over yet."

"I drove over," Audrey told him. "You can walk me downstairs to my car though."

"Guess that'll have to do," RJ helped her into her coat and took her hand.

Audrey leaned against him in the lift. "So, when is your first match?"

"In a week," he answered. "And if you want to come, Frankie said she'll get you a ticket. You can sit with my family."

"I wouldn't miss it," Audrey said smiling at him. "And hopefully your family can answer all the questions that I'm going to have."

RJ wrapped his arms around her. "Anything you want to know."

They walked out of the building and down the sidewalk to where Audrey's car was parked. RJ gave her a lingering kiss.

"I'll ring you tomorrow," he promised. "I want to see you as much as possible."

"Good night," Audrey said before getting in the car.

He leaned down as she opened the window and gave her one more kiss. "Night..."

RJ couldn't stop smiling the entire way back up to his flat. He only hoped that Andrew's date was going well.

Andrew was having a nice time, but he was pissed at himself. Natalia was beautiful and nice, but all he could think about was Saffron.

"I'm nervous about my first match," Natalia was saying. "But everyone's really been so nice."

"You'll do a good job," Andrew said. "Just remember to focus on the game and not the outcome."

Natalia smiled at him. "Thanks, Andrew. You know, I was feeling a little homesick, but you've really kept my mind off of it."

"I'm glad," Andrew tried to push his thoughts away. "You'll like living in London. It's a great area."

"Are you going to the after match party?" Natalia asked him.

"I guess," he said. "Thought it might be fun."

"Would you like to go together?" Natalia asked him.

"Okay," Andrew agreed automatically.

Natalia smiled shyly at him. "Really?"

"Sure," Andrew focused on her. "We'll have fun." he smiled.

"Were you that nervous before your first match?" Natalia asked him.

"I had a pretty bad case of the jitters," he nodded. "But once I got out there, I just knew I had to show everyone what I was capable of."

Natalia smiled at him over her glass.

"Would you care for dessert, monsieur?" the waiter asked Andrew.

"Um... sure." Andrew said. "Natalia- anything you like..."

"Chocolate mousse," Natalia replied. "Andrew?"

Natalia waited until the waiter had left them before she broached a subject she'd been wondering about all evening. "Is everything okay?" she asked. "You've seen a little distant all evening."

"I'm all right," Andrew didn't think he should disclose his thoughts. "I've just got a lot on my mind is all. I'm sorry."

Natalia smiled uncertainly at him. "We can cut the evening short if you're...."

"No," Andrew shook his head. "I don't want to do that."

"Neither do I," Natalia said. "I really like you Andrew and I was trying to get up the nerve to talk to you when you asked me out the other day."

"You were?" he asked, amazed. "Me?"

Natalia laughed. "You sound surprised. Surely you know how handsome you are."

Andrew turned red. "I guess..." he answered, feeling shy himself.

"To top it all off, you're one of the nicest blokes I've ever met," Natalia told him.

"I credit my dad with that," Andrew answered. "He's always taught me to treat women with respect."

"He taught you well," Natalia said smiling at him again. She blushed. "I'm usually not this forward. You're just really easy to talk to, Andrew."

The only person he'd ever really been forward with was Saffron. Andrew cursed himself again and pushed the mental image away. "I don't mind."

The waiter brought over their desserts. Natalia laughed. "I know that girls shouldn't eat in front of the boys they fancy, but I can't resist chocolate."

"I say eat up," Andrew replied. "It's nice to see a girl not pick at her food."

She took a bite of her mousse and practically swooned. "This is soooo good."

"Want to try this?" he pushed his plate towards her.

"Sure," she replied. "If you try the mousse."

"Deal," Andrew picked up his own spoon.

"Very good," Natalia said after she took a bite. "And what's your verdict?"

"Delicious," Andrew replied. "Wish I'd ordered that instead."

"Maybe next time," Natalia said, hoping that there would be a next time.

Andrew nodded, amazed that she wanted to go out with him again.

Natalia beamed at him. "Great."

Andrew paid the check and offered to walk her home. She lived nearby, which was nice.

"It's starting to get colder," Natalia said conversationally.

"I know," Andrew replied. "I can't believe it's almost winter again. Feels like it was just the beginning of summer."

"But in many ways, this is a new beginning," Natalia said softly. "At least for me..."

"Moving to a whole new city can feel that way," Andrew nodded.

"Away from my home and my family and my friends," Natalia said. "But I'm trying to think of this as a new opportunity to make a new life with new friends."

"New friends are always good," Andrew smiled at her. "Once you get used to the team you'll see that we're sort of like one big family."

Natalie grinned. "That's just what I need---more big brothers."

"We'll watch out for you," Andrew joked.

Natalia stopped walking and looked up at him. She hesitantly stepped closer. "Promise?"

"Sure," Andrew answered. "We all will."

Natalia gave him a hug. "Thank you, Andrew. That means a lot to me."

He patted her back, a bit awkwardly. "Sure." he said again.

She didn't say much the rest of the way back to her flat. As they approached her building, Andrew wondered if he should give her a kiss good night.

"Thank you for a lovely evening," Natalia said reaching into her purse for her keys.

"You're welcome," Andrew said. "Um... I'm sorry I wasn't better company."

"You were fine," Natalia said giving him a peck on the cheek. "I'll see you tomorrow at practise?"

"I'll be there," Andrew said. "Good night."

"Good night," she said before walking up the steps.

Andrew Apparated back to his and RJ's flat and let himself in, hoping he wouldn't be interrupting his best friend and Audrey if she was still there.

RJ was reading over a magazine in the sitting room when he heard his friend come inside. "Hey, mate."

"Hi," Andrew responded. "What’s up?"

"You tell me," RJ grinned. "How was the date?"

"Fine," he said. "I'm sure she really thinks I'm a pathetic bore."

"Andrew," RJ shook his head. "I'm sure she doesn't."

Andrew dropped onto the sofa. "I just can't stop thinking about Saffron."

"Then why don't you try and get her back?" RJ asked. "Mads said that she's miserable too."

"I just don't think she wants me back," Andrew said moodily. "I messed up, big time."

"I did," RJ corrected him. "If I hadn't have cheated on Lexie, none of this would have happened. Saffy and I would still be speaking, you and she would still be together..."

"Yeah but you didn't make me go in and accuse her like I did," Andrew interrupted.

"I'm sorry," RJ said quietly.

Andrew half smiled. "How about a beer?"

"Absolutely," RJ replied.

A few minutes later they were sitting at the kitchen table with two open bottles. "I just wish I could go there and see her," Andrew lamented. "Force her to see how sorry I am."

"Might be best to wait until Christmas hols," RJ suggested. "Or you could write to her..."

"I've tried," he said. "Both times it came back unopened."

"At least she didn't send back a howler," RJ said dryly.

Andrew had to smile at that. "Thank goodness for small favours, aye?"

"It'll get better," RJ told him. "And you'll see her again during Christmas hols. You can try and patch things up then."

"Maybe," Andrew sighed. "Part of me wants to make up with her... but part of me says it's over and I should move on. Maybe things will get better if I keep seeing other people."

"I saw a picture of your date in Quidditch Weekly," RJ told him. "She's beautiful, mate."

"She's really nice too," Andrew pulled back on his beer. "I should really give her a fair chance."

"Good idea," RJ said.

Andrew thought for a moment. "I'm going to try writing to Saffron one more time. If I don’t' hear from her, that's my cue. I'm really going to move on."

"Good luck," RJ said pushing back from his chair. "I'm going to bed."

Andrew nodded. "Thanks mate. See you tomorrow."

"Night," RJ said.

Andrew stayed in the kitchen for a few more moments while he finished his beer. He meant what he said. Three times was the charm. If Saffron still didn't want anything to do with him after one more letter, then he was moving on.

*** *** ***

With Audrey in the know about the magical world, Jon knew the writing was on the wall. He had to tell Victoria something he'd been keeping from her from the moment he'd taken the job. Victoria was one of the mostopen-minded people he'd ever met and he hoped that she would extend that to what he was about to tell her. He'd spent most of his shift trying to work up the courage to tell her.

It was nearing the end of his shift and Jon knew he had to come clean before he left or he might never fess up. He finished washing the glasses and stacked them in the cabinet before approaching the back office, where Vic was finishing up some paperwork.

"Allie rang earlier," Victoria told him. "She said that your youngest is still sick."

"He's got the croup," Jon told her. "Sleeping for the past few nights has been hell."

"I remember those days," Victoria said sympathetically. "My little girl Gwen had it when she was around Adam's age."

"Any tips?" Jon asked, sitting down.

"You should get a humidifier," Victoria replied. "If that doesn't work, take him to the doctor and they can prescribe something, I'm sure."

Jon nodded. "I'll pick one up on the way home."

"Will you be here tomorrow morning for the shipment?" Victoria asked him. "Steve said he'd bring it by around 10."

Jon nodded. "Sure..." his resolve was failing fast and he spoke up before he could talk himself out of it again. "Hey Vic? There's something I really need to tell you."

Victoria set aside her invoices and looked at him. "What's on your mind, Jon?"

"Well um... there's something I never told you about myself." Jon said, wiping the palms of his hands on his jeans.

Victoria raised an eyebrow. "I don't understand..."

"I can do magic," Jon said in a rush. "Like, not just magic tricks, but actual magic. Everyone in my family can."

Victoria looked at him with an unreadable expression. "Jon? Have you been drinking?"

"No," Jon answered. "I'm being serious."

"You need to go home and get some sleep," Victoria told him, pushing back in her chair. "You're talking crazy."

"I am not," Jon said again. "I'm serious. I can do magic. I'll show you something right now." he took out his wand and levitated her pen into the air.

The amused smirk on Victoria's face disappeared and she stared in awe at the pen.

"I can do a lot of different things," Jon let it fall back onto her desk. "But um... I wanted to tell you. Audrey knows, since she's seeing RJ."

Victoria shook her head. "Okay, very funny. Joke's onme."

"Vic I'm being serious," Jon replied. "Why would I joke about this?"

"I don't know," Victoria said shrugging. "You always like to pull those practical jokes and I'm not going to fall for this again, Jon. What you're talking about isn't possible..."

"It's not a practical joke," Jon was starting to feel a bit impatient. "What else do you want me to do? I'll prove it."

"This is completely crazy," Victoria said shaking her head again. "Of all the---"

Her words were cut off when Jon disappeared. "What the hell?" she asked looking around the room.

"That's called Apparating," Jon came back into the door.

"Y-you were there," Victoria said pointing to where he'd been standing just a few moments before. "And then you---you were gone!"

"I know," Jon nodded.

"I need to sit down," Victoria said feeling shaky.

"I've been trying to tell you for a few days," Jon said. "I just... I didn't know how you'd react. This won't change how I do my work or anything, I promise. I just wanted you to know."

Victoria didn't respond.

"Vic?" Jon asked. "You're... you're not angry, are you?"

"I--I don't know what to think, really," Victoria replied quietly.

Jon swallowed nervously. "I'm sorry..."

"You've never used this here, have you?" Victoria asked.

"No," Jon shook his head. "Just... sometimes after work, I would go down the street and Apparate home. But I've never used magic on you or any customers."

"And your whole family is like this?" Victoria asked slowly. "Allie? RJ? Your kids?"

Jon nodded. "Every last one of us."

"You didn't think you might want to mention this to me when we became partners?" Victoria asked.

"I wasn't sure how to," Jon confessed.

"Jon..."

"I know," he said hurriedly. "Vic... I just wanted you to know."

Victoria nodded. "Well, I appreciate your honesty."

"Are you okay with this?" he asked anxiously.

"I just need some time to process all of this," Victoria replied truthfully. "You---you should get home."

Jon sighed and stood up. "See you tomorrow?"

"Yes," Victoria replied. "You need to be here tomorrow at ten for that shipment."

"Right," Jon said. "Ten it is."

"I hope Adam feels better soon," Victoria said before she returned her attention to her invoices.

"Thanks," Jon lingered for another moment before heading out of the bar. He hoped telling Victoria was the right thing.

Back at the house, Allison was relishing the peace and quiet. She'd put Adam down a few minutes ago and was currently reading her daughters a bedtime story while trying to keep her own eyes open. None of them had slept that much over the last couple of days due to Adam's croup.

"Mummy, you read that page already," Caroline told her.

"Sorry, Angel." Allison yawned.

She was reading to them from the fairy tale, The Princess and the Pea. "Where was I? Okay....'The next morning when the girl woke up, the queen asked how she slept...."

"Sleep bad," Emma recited. "Like Sissy and Em."

"Adam's sleeping now," Caroline said. "Maybe that means he's feeling better."

"I hope so Angel," Allison said wearily.

Emma rested her head on Allison's shoulder.

"The girl answered that she'd slept very poorly and that she had barely closed her eyes all night..."

At that moment, the baby monitor crackled to life with Adam's crying.

Allison sighed. "I'm sorry girls. I think we'll have to finish this another time."

"But---" Emma protested.

"Go to sleep," Allison kissed them both.

Allison hurried out of the room and crossed the hall into the nursery. Adam was coughing and she picked him up. "Oh, Mummy's here, Adam."

Adam continued to cough and cry at the same time, and Allison's heart went out to her baby boy.

Allison patted his back trying to comfort him before carrying him into the bathroom. She turned the hot water on in the sink and in the shower; hoping the steam would help his breathing.

It seemed to help, for Adam stopped crying and his cough lessened a bit. "That's my boy," she said softly, trying to calm him down.

Jon arrived home and set the bag down. He'd gone to an all night chemist who had helped him pick out a humidifier for Adam.

"Daddy?" Caroline asked creeping out of her room with Emma.

"Hi sweetheart," Jon said. "Shouldn't you two be in bed?"

"Mummy was reading us a story and then Adam started coughing again," Caroline told him. "He's going to be okay, isn't he?"

"He'll be fine," Jon reassured them. "In a few days, I'm sure he'll be all better."

"Really?" Caroline asked.

Emma yawned and stretched her arms out.

"Just fine," Jon swooped Emma into his arms. "Come on, back to bed."

"Kay," Emma said sleepily.

"I want to check on Adam," Caroline said.

"Not now," Jon took her hand. "You'll see him tomorrow morning."

"Daddy, please," Caroline begged. "I want to make sure he's okay."

"No, Sissy!" Emma exclaimed.

"Why not, Em?" Caroline asked.

"Cause Em's sweepy," Emma replied.

"We all are," Jon muttered. "Come on, girls."

"Just for a minute?" Caroline tried again. "I'll just peek inside--"

"He's doing a little better," Allison said coming out into the hallway carrying Adam. Her hair was matted to her head and sweat was dripping from her forehead.

Adam's red hair was mussed and he looked weakly at his father. "Da----"

"Hey little guy," Jon said, kissing his son's forehead. "I bought him a humidifier at the chemist. Vic said it would help."

"Fantastic," Allison said. "I had him in the loo with the hot water going, but I couldn't take it anymore."

"Let me just put these two back to bed," Jon replied. "I'll relieve you."

"He's okay, isn't he?" Caroline asked looking up at her mother. Adam coughed again and then put his head on Allison's shoulder.

"He’ll be fine, Angel." Allison said. "You both have school tomorrow, so you need to get to bed."

"Okay," Caroline said. "Get better soon, Adam."

Jon put his daughters to bed then came back out and took Adam from his wife. "There, there..." he said soothingly as the infant coughed again.

"I think we should move his crib into our room tonight," Allison said getting a rag and wiping her forehead. ""And we'll set the humidifier up in there."

"Sounds good," Jon nodded.

"I'm going to get him some juice," Allison stood up.

"Grab the humidifier on your way up would you?" Jon asked, carrying his son into the bedroom.

Jon sat down with Adam on the edge of the bed. His son looked like all he wanted to do was sleep. Jon could certainly relate. "Little guy, I promise you're going to feel better soon."

Adam let out a little choked sob and a tiny cough.

Allison came upstairs with the humidifier and a bottle for Adam.

"Thanks," Jon took the bottle. "I hope this will help him a little."

"Me too," Allison tore open the box. "How was work?"

"I told her," Jon replied. "She didn't believe me at first."

"About magic?" Allison looked up. "Did you show her a few things?"

Jon told her about levitating the pen and then Apparating before Victoria. "I think she just needs a little time to adjust to it."

"I hope so," Allison waved her wand at the humidifier and it turned on.

She sat down beside her husband and watched as Adam drank from the bottle.

"I'm so happy he's quiet," she rubbed her forehead. "It's been a really difficult couple of days."

"For all of us," Jon said setting the bottle down on the floor and sitting Adam up so he could burp him.

"Da-da," Adam murmured sleepily.

"Dada's right here," Jon said softly.

"My guys," Allison said looking at the two of them.

"You should get some sleep," Jon answered. "I'll get his crib in here."

"I'll hold him until you get back," Allison said. "Then we can put him down and then hopefully we all can get some sleep."

Jon nodded and passed Adam back over to his wife. "I won't be long."

"Okay," Allison said kissing her son on his forehead. "Feeling better, sweetheart?"

"Dada," Adam blinked up at her, his eyes hazy.

"Here he is," Allison said looking up to see Jon coming into the bedroom carrying Adam's crib. "You can sleep in here with us tonight, okay?"

Adam gazed at his father who quickly set up the little crib.

"Good job," Allison told her husband with a tired smile.

"Thanks," Jon gave her a kiss as he took Adam back.

Allison went into the bathroom to get ready for bed, struggling to keep her eyes open.

Jon came up behind her. "Need some help?"

"I think I've got it," Allison said. "Did he go to sleep?"

"Soon as I put him down," Jon answered. "I put the humidifier next to his bed."

"Good idea," Allison said. She brushed her teeth and looked at her husband who seemed lost in thought. "Hey....Vic's going to come around, Jon."

"I hope so," Jon sighed. "I really don’t' need to be sacked."

"You're partners," Allison reassured him.

"I know, but she seemed really ticked that I didn't tell her before this," Jon replied.

"It is understandable," Allison reasoned. "But, you can tell her about how we have to keep it a secret and that you've never used magic when you're at the pub."

"I told her I never used it on anyone or anything there," Jon nodded. "But I'll explain the rest tomorrow."

"It's going to be fine," Allison said giving him a hug.

"Thanks Al," Jon hugged her back. "I love you."

"I love you, too," Allison said. She took his hand and led him back into their bedroom. To her surprise, Emma and Caroline were asleep in their bed. "When did they---"

Jon started to laugh. "You've got to be kidding me."

"It's good that we have a big bed," Allison said laughing, too.

Jon nodded as he got into his boxers and a t-shirt. "Caroline's been really worried about Adam. She probably convinced Em to come in here with her."

"Emma would go anywhere with Caroline," Allison said sliding in under the covers.

"Mummy," Emma said opening her eyes for a moment.

"Shhh..." Allison said. "Go back to sleep, baby."

"Mmm," Emma murmured.

Allison kissed her daughter's forehead. "Night, sweetheart."

Jon got in on the other side and he gently slid Caroline over.

"I sort of love nights like this," Allison gazed at her husband.

"You do?" Jon asked her.

"Not the staying up for almost three days straight," Allison said wryly. "But all of us together..."

Jon smiled at her. "Our little family."

"Not quite so little anymore," Allison grinned back.

"No, not so little anymore," Jon agreed. From his crib, Adam let out a small cough, but didn't cry.

Allison held her breath until she was sure he was asleep again. "Phew."

"Poor little guy," Jon said.

"I wish I could have it for him," Allison said quietly.

"He'll be better soon," Jon said softly.

"A few more days, probably." Allison yawned.

"Get some sleep, Al," Jon said.

"You too," Allison gazed at him. "You'll be the one up if he starts crying again."

"Adam and I had a talk when we came up here," Jon said closing his eyes. "He said he was going to sleep through the night."

Allison smiled. "I hope you're right."

"He better," Emma said grumpily.

"Em," Allison propped herself up. "I thought you were asleep."

"Mummy and Daddy talk too much!" Emma said giving her mother a look.

Allison pressed her lips together. "How about you and Caroline go back to your room then?"

"No!" Emma exclaimed. "No! Sissy and Em stay here!"

"Shhh," Jon whispered. "Em, you need to stay quiet."

"Em shhhhhhh," Emma said. "Daddy, too."

"She rules the roost, remember?" Allison quipped.

"Em needs sleep now," Emma told her father. "Now, Daddy."

Jon kissed her forehead. "Good night, Em."

"Shhhhhhh," Emma said before closing her eyes.

"Like she says," Jon whispered to his wife. "Night Al."

"Night, Jon," Allison whispered back.

"Night!" Emma's voice rang out.

192. 192

For those of you who liked reading about Ashley and her new friends, you’ll enjoy this chapter. And we apologise for the little cliffie at the end. Well… no we don’t ;)

Ever since her mother had started dating Oliver Wood, Mimi had found her life had changed in many ways. For one, the Headmaster always seemed to take an interest in her activities- especially her performance on the Quidditch field. At first, Mimi had found it a bit mortifying, considering her crush on him, but was now growing used to it.

When she stepped into the Great Hall for dinner that evening, she caught the headmaster's eye and she gave him a little wave.

Oliver smiled and waved back as she took her seat next to Beth.

"Meems, Jake was looking for you earlier," Beth told her.

"I saw him a few minutes ago," Mimi replied.

"Oh," Beth said. "How was practise? Saffy didn't work you to death, huh?"

"Not yet," Mimi answered. "She's a really good captain."

Beth smiled. "And you have your first match next weekend!"

"I know," Mimi said. "I'm so nervous..."

"You're going to be great," Beth said. "You'll have me, and Jake and Alexa cheering you on."

"Thanks," Mimi said gratefully.

"Are your parents coming in for the match?" Beth asked.

"My mum was thinking about it," Mimi answered. "And um... my dad... well I doubt it."

"Come on, Meems," Beth said pouring herself a glass of juice. "I'm sure your dad wouldn't miss it. You did tell him, right?"

"Don't worry about it," Mimi said.

Beth wanted to ask what was going on there, but she decided to let it go.

"So how are things going with you and Peter?" Mimi asked.

"Fine," Beth replied. "He's in the library studying."

"It's sort of weird that you two are dating," Mimi said. "Not in a bad way, but because of... what happened before."

"He's not the same person he was then," Beth said defensively. "Christina was a complete cow."

"Yeah she was," Mimi agreed. "You're so much better than her. But that goes without saying..."

"Thanks," Beth said beaming at her friend.

At the professors' table, Julie sat down beside Oliver. "I was going to go home, but I knew we were having stew tonight and I couldn't resist," she said smiling at him.

Oliver laughed. "I won't tell Greta if you don't."

"Thank you," Julie said. "So how are you?"

"Things are great," Oliver replied. "A smooth year so far..."

"Knock on wood," Julie said hitting her fist on the table. She looked slyly at her friend. "I can't remember seeing you this happy."

"Yes well..." Oliver looked back over at Mimi. "Cheryl's becoming quite important in my life."

"I'm happy for you," Julie said. "Is she coming to the match next weekend?"

"Mimi invited her," Oliver nodded. "I'm looking forward to it."

"My sister is completely in captain mode," Julie said. "I saw her in the library a few minutes ago going over plays. My dad told me that you were just as bad when you were captain."

"I was a bit fanatical," Oliver nodded. "It's hard not to be. Quidditch just gets in your blood."

"It certainly is fun to watch," Julie agreed. She looked up from her plate to see Ashley walking into the Great Hall with Brittany.

Oliver followed her gaze. "She seems to be adjusting quite well."

Julie nodded. "I was worried. She's always been shy and guarded, but it's great to see her making friends and coming into her own."

Oliver nodded. "She's a lovely girl. I stopped her to talk a few days ago. She's quite bright, Julie."

Julie looked over at her daughter who was laughing at something Brittany was saying. She really had been worried about Ashley being able to adjust but so far she'd come through quite well.

"And then," Brittany continued. "Chelsea told me that Snape's cauldron just EXPLODED!"

Ashley gasped. "Oh no! No wonder he was so upset in our class!"

"I don't get it," Brittany filled her goblet with juice. "Snape seems to like you."

"Probably because my last name is Malfoy," Ashley said thoughtfully. "Apparently, he was friendly with my great-grandfather on my dad's side."

"Yeah but you said he doesn't like your mum," Brittany replied.

"Who doesn't like her mum?" Zander asked taking a seat across from the girls.

"Snape," Brittany answered.

Zander groaned. "Brit, we're about to eat. Don't mention that git's name."

"Zander, you're such a wuss," Brittany said, making Ashley laugh.

"Ash, I thought you were on my side," Zander said.

"We girls have to stick together," Brittany answered for her.

Zander rolled his eyes. "Ash can speak for herself, Brit."

"It was kind of funny," Ashley replied.

Brittany grinned triumphantly at her cousin. "See?"

Zander clutched his chest dramatically. "Ash, you're killing me!"

Ashley giggled. "You're such a goof."

"I'm so excited for the match next weekend," Zander said. "Gryffindor is going to CREAM Hufflepuff!"

Brittany stifled a yawn. "As exciting as this conversation is, I'm going to excuse myself for a minute. I have to catch up with Rachel."

"Don't be too long," Zander replied with a grin.

Ashley poured herself another glass of juice.

"So," Zander said smiling at her. "I have a proposition for you."

"A proposition?" Ashley asked curiously.

"Herbology," Zander told her. "You know how you're partnered up with Sam? And I have Magda?"

Ashley nodded. "What about it?"

"Well," Zander said grinning at her. "I spoke with Sam and he said that he'd be okay if we switched partners..."

"Why do you want to switch?" Ashley asked. "Magda doesn't exactly want to work with me-"

Zander shook his head. "Sam would be with Magda. I would be your partner."

Ashley blushed. "You want to be MY partner?"

"Of course," Zander said. "Why wouldn't I?"

"I don't know..." Ashley answered. "But... okay."

Zander grinned. "Fantastic. I'll tell Sam when we get back to the common room. Thanks, Ash. I promise I will not let you down."

Ashley smiled back at him. "It'll be fun to work with you."

"To think you thought I'd stick you with Magda," Zander said. "Ash, I'd never do that to you."

Ashley giggled again. "I should know you better by now."

"Absolutely," Zander said. "I wouldn't wish Magda on my worst enemy. But don't tell Sam that."

"Mum's the word," Ashley promised.

"What are you two grinning about?" Brittany asked sitting back down.

"Ash just did me the most enormous favour of my life," Zander replied.

"It's not that big," Ashley told her. "I agreed to be his lab partner in Herbology is all."

"I thought you were with Sam," Brittany asked.

"She was," Zander said before taking a bite of his bread roll.

"Zander didn't want to work with Magda," Ashley explained.

"I can't blame him there," Brittany shuddered. "She's evil. Why would Sam want to work with her?"

"He didn't," Zander admitted. "At first..."

"What did you do?" Brittany asked her cousin.

"Well, I asked him if he'd be interested in a trade," Zander told them. "And he said no because Ash is so smart...."

Ashley blushed with pride. "Then how come he switched?"

"I promised him my collection of chocolate frog cards," Zander said. "And the last 10 issues of Martin Miggs comics."

"Zander, you had over 1000 cards!" Brittany exclaimed. "You've been saving those since we were kids!"

Ashley gaped at him. "Zander!"

"It's no big deal," Zander said with a shrug. "I was outgrowing those cards anyway."

"Yeah but you just got a bunch of new ones right before we came," Brittany objected.

"You can't give up all those cards just to be my partner," Ashley said.

"It's okay Ash," Zander replied. "I want to."

"Maybe I could talk to Sam," Ashley suggested.

"It's fine," Zander insisted. "Really."

"If you're sure," Ashley said feeling guilty that he was giving up something important to him just so they could be Herbology partners.

"I'm positive," he said, blushing as she gazed at him.

Ashley smiled. "Okay."

Julie waved at her daughter and Ashley excused herself to say hello to her mother.

Brittany looked across the table at her cousin. "Why did you do that?" she asked him point blank. "You are a fanatic about those cards."

"I wanted to work with Ash," Zander replied. "I can get more."

"You've been saving them up since you were two years old," Brittany said. "And I seem to remember when Aunt Patricia accidentally spilled tea on one of them you nearly took her head off."

"Brit!" Zander glared at her. "It's No. Big. Deal."

"Mmmhmm," Brittany said unconvinced.

"Let it go," Zander hissed.

"Okay, okay," Brittany said holding her hands up. "Consider it dropped."

"Thank you," Zander sat back.

"Don't expect me to sit through all of that Quidditch match," she told him. "I'll stay for the first few minutes, but after that I'm going back inside."

"I don't get how you can hate Quidditch," Zander shook his head. "How are we even related?"

Brittany laughed. "I ask myself that all the time. But, look at it this way, you won't be alone. Ash will be with you."

"She's normal," Zander teased. "She loves Quidditch."

“You can’t just sit and talk to her about Quidditch during Herbology,” Brittany pointed out. “Ash is really smart, Zander.”

“I know that,” he answered. “I just really wanted to be partners with her.”

Brittany watched him for a long moment. “Know what I think?”

“Hmm?” Zander asked.

“I think you like her,” Brittany said bluntly.

“Of course I like her,” Zander replied. “You do too. She’s our friend.”

Brittany rolled her eyes. “No, I mean, you LIKE her.”

“I do not,” Zander denied. “We’re just friends.”

“Sure,” Brittany said, unconvinced.

“It’s true!” Zander insisted. “I just think she’s a lot of fun.”

“I have to finish my essay tonight,” Brittany decided to drop the subject. “I hope Ash can help me with it. I got really good marks last time.”

“You’re not going to make her write it are you?” Zander asked.

“No!” she glared at her cousin. “I just want some help on finishing it.”

Up at the front Ashley was telling her mother about what Zander had done. “And he gave Sam 1000 Chocolate Frog cards!” she said.

Julie raised an eyebrow. “Just to be your Herbology partner?”

Ashley nodded. “Do you think I should say something to Sam? I mean, he shouldn’t have to give up something like that just to work with me.”

“If I were you,” Julie advised. “I’d let it be.”

“Really?” Ashley bit her lower lip.

“He wouldn’t have done it if he didn’t want to,” Julie told her.

“Okay,” Ashley said uncertainly.

“And what’s this I hear about Snape favouring you?” Julie teased.

“I don’t know,” Ashley blushed. “It’s still so early in the year—“

“I never thought I’d see the day,” Julie replied. “Daddy and I are so proud of you, Ash. And Katie and Sophie miss you very much.”

“I miss them too,” Ashley said. “Will you give them all a hug for me later?”

“I will,” Julie kissed her cheek. “You’d better go finish dinner. I happen to know you have homework tonight.”

“Right,” Ashley giggled. “Bye Mum.”

Julie watched her daughter join her friends and turned back to Oliver. “Would you trade 1000 Chocolate Frog cards to switch your Herbology partner?”

“What?” Oliver looked confused.

Julie explained what Ashley had just told her. “I think Zander’s got a bit of a crush on my daughter.”

“Uh oh,” Oliver joked. “Nick’s not going to like his little girl with another bloke.”

Julie laughed. "Well, I don't think we have to worry about Ash running off to Las Vegas with Zander to elope just yet."

"Nick definitely wouldn't like that," Oliver quipped.

"Not for another few years anyway," Julie said. "Speaking of which...I really should get going. I promised Katie I'd help her with her reading."

"Give my best to your family," Oliver smiled at her. "I'll see you tomorrow."

Oliver stood up and did his normal rounds around the Great Hall. He stopped to say hello to some of the students and slowly made his way over to the Gryffindor table where Mimi was sitting with Beth and Jake.

"Good evening," Oliver said to them.

"Hello sir," Beth still blushed when the headmaster came near.

"Elizabeth," Oliver nodded in her direction.

Mimi smiled at him. "Is my mum coming to the game next weekend?"

"I think so," Oliver replied. "She said that your father would be coming, too."

The smile on the blonde's face fell. "Oh..."

"Meems, that's great," Beth said. "Your parents will get to see your big Quidditch debut!"

"Yeah," Mimi said unenthusiastically. "Just bloody peachy."

Jake put his arm around her. "Want to talk about it?"

"I'm fine," Mimi shrugged away. "I'll see you later."

"Mimi!" Jake called after her.

Oliver nodded to the two students before hurrying after her.

"Mimi," Oliver said coming up behind her. "Wait."

"I'm fine," Mimi wiped at her eyes. "You don't have to come after me."

"You're crying," Oliver said reaching into his pocket for a handkerchief.

"Thanks," Mimi said quietly.

"You can talk to me if you want," Oliver said softly.

"It's my dad," Mimi sniffled. "I don't want to see him."

Oliver didn't know what this must be like for her and he wasn't going to try and act like he did.

"I'm sure that he misses you and wants to be a part of your life," Oliver said instead.

Mimi shrugged. "I don't want to see him. Not after what he did to my mum."

"The decision is up to you," Oliver said. "But he is still your father. No one's saying you have to forget what he did, but you can try and find some way to forgive him."

"I just don't want to right now," Mimi didn't look at the headmaster. "I wish he'd just give me some space."

Oliver nodded. "My door is open if you want to talk about it."

"Thanks," Mimi managed a smile. "And not just for this. Thanks for making my mum so happy."

Oliver smiled. "Thank you for welcoming me into your family."

Mimi only blushed a little as the headmaster gave her a hug. "I should get back."

"Good evening, Mary Margaret," Oliver teased, using her full name.

"Please don't ever call me that in front of anyone," Mimi returned.

Oliver laughed. "Deal."

He walked her back to the Great Hall, where she spied Beth and Jake still sitting at the table. "Sorry for running out like that," she apologised, sitting down.

"Everything okay?" Jake asked.

"Fine," Mimi nodded.

Jake gave her a kiss on the cheek. "That's my girl."

Beth was about to ask her friend if there was anything she could do when the table was suddenly cleared. The three of them looked up to see Saffron breezing into the hall, a determined look on her face.

"Saffy!" Jake exclaimed. "I'd just put some food on my plate!"

Saffron shrugged. "I needed the space." She looked down the table. "Imelda! Get down here! Now!"

Imelda looked up. "What's wrong?"

Saffron summoned her other team members. "As you all know, our first match is next weekend and I really do think that we need be prepared." She handed each of the team members a practise schedule.

"You've got practise at 5 on here twice," Mimi pointed out.

"That's right," Saffron replied crisply. "Five in the morning and five in the afternoon..."

"Saffy," Imelda sighed. "Remember how you used to complain about RJ doing this exact same thing?"

Saffron nodded. "And as much as it pains me to admit it, he was on the right track. We are going to go undefeated this year."

"But some of us have a lot of homework," Mimi objected. "I can't do two practises a day, six days a week."

"Seven, not six." Saffron corrected.

"We're not even getting a day off?" one of the beaters asked. "Not even one?"

"Not until we win the Cup," Saffron answered.

Further down the table, Zander looked at Ashley. "Seven days a week? She's really intense, isn't she?"

"She can get that way sometimes," Ashley nodded.

"This is our new play book," Saffron said handing each player a copy. "Guard this with your life. Carry it every where that you go."

"Saffy!" Imelda exclaimed.

"Saffron," Alexa stood up. "Perhaps you and I might have a quick word?"

"In a minute--" Saffron began.

"Now," Alexa said taking her friend's arm and leading her away.

"Lex!" Saffron glared at her. "I was in the middle of--"

"Complete world domination," Alexa finished. "Yes, yes. I heard you. You're going to work that poor team to exhaustion and they're going to resent you for it."

"I'm going to make them a better team for it," Saffron corrected her.

"By working them from sunrise to sunset?" Alexa asked incredulously. "I know you want to win, but this is a little above and beyond, wouldn't you say?"

"No," Saffron denied.

"Saffy," Alexa said softly. "You know what this is about, don't you?"

"I don't know what you're going on about," Saffron wouldn't look her in the eye.

"Throwing yourself into your work and being captain," Alexa said.

"I'm keeping busy," Saffron crossed her arms. "What's wrong with that?"

"Nothing," Alexa replied. "But I seem to remember a couple years back when RJ was the captain and you asked me to tell him how unreasonable he was being when he wanted to run practises six days a week."

"And as I said, it pains me to admit he was right," Saffron said. "Look at him now- playing Quidditch professionally. That's where I want to be, Lex."

"You're going to get there, Saffy," Alexa said. "But you don't want your team to mutiny, do you? You miss Andrew."

"So what if I do?" Saffron asked quietly.

"And you're becoming this complete workhorse since school started," Alexa continued. "I just think you might want to ease up a little on the team is all."

Saffron sighed. "Think they'll go for practise once a day?"

"That's better," Alexa said.

"Am I really being that bad?" Saffron asked sheepishly.

Alexa nodded. "Yeah."

"I really don't mean to be," Saffron said as they walked back to the Great Hall. "I just... I just really want to impress the scouts when they come."

"And you will," Alexa said loyally.

"Thanks Lexie," Saffron hugged her. "This is why I keep you around you know? To talk some sense into me."

Alexa laughed. "I like that. I'm your voice of reason."

They re-entered the Great Hall. "Okay guys," Saffron said. "Practise only once a day."

"Much better," Imelda said smiling at her captain. "You were a little scary there for a few moments."

Saffron made a face at her. "I'm still going to work you guys like crazy, so be prepared.”

"We wouldn't expect anything less," Mimi said. "But at least we can work with you on this schedule, Saffy."

"And I at least get to see my girlfriend," Jake said grinning at Mimi.

"That's always a plus," Mimi grinned back at him.

"Tomorrow evening," Saffron told the team. "Practise. Three o'clock."

"Yes ma'am," Imelda saluted her.

Zander looked over at Ashley. "Would you want to watch the practise together?"

"Okay," Ashley answered. "I was going to go and draw the castle from there anyways."

"Great," Zander replied.

Brittany smirked at him. "Thanks for inviting me along, too, cousin."

"You could come, I guess," Zander rolled his eyes at her.

Brittany shook her head. "Nice as it is for you to ask me, I'll have to pass. I have some reading to catch up on."

"Whatever," Zander hoped she wouldn't say anything to Ashley about their earlier conversation.

"Maybe next time you can come with us," Ashley said to Brittany.

"Wouldn't miss it," Brittany grinned.

"You guys ready to go back upstairs?" Zander asked.

"I am," Ashley replied pushing her plate back.

"I'll catch up in a few," Brittany said. "Save me a seat in the common room, Ash."

"I'll find a book that might help you with your essay," Ashley promised.

"Thanks," Brittany smiled at her.

"Ready, Ash?" Zander asked.

"Sure," Ashley grabbed her bag. She said a quick goodbye to her aunt, who was still involved in a discussion with her team mates.

"You know," Zander told her when they left the Great Hall. "I was thinking that I might try out next year for the team. I'm not that good, but if I work on it maybe I'll get better."

"I think you'd do great," Ashley said supportively.

"You've never seen me fly," Zander said.

"I did during our flying lesson," Ashley reminded him.

Zander turned red. "You were one of the only ones not laughing when I nearly hit that tree."

"I thought you'd really gotten hurt," Ashley said.

"Just bruised a bit," Zander said brushing it off.

Ashley smiled. "You sure showed everyone when you got right up."

Zander laughed. "I'd never have heard the end of it, if I hadn't."

Ashley grinned. "Maybe later we can go over some of our Herbology notes since we're going to start working together."

"I'd really like that," Zander said when they arrived at Gryffindor Tower.

"Let me just go find that book I was telling Brittany about," Ashley replied. "And then we can start."

"Okay," Zander said. "I'll get us a table."

Ashley grinned at him before heading upstairs.

Zander found an empty table near the fireplace and set his books down. He had just sat down when Sam approached him. "Where are those cards?"

"I've got them in my trunk upstairs," Zander looked away. Despite what he'd told his cousin, it did sort of hurt to give all those cards away.

"And the comics?" Sam asked.

"They're with the cards!" Zander said sharply.

"Don't get mad at me," Sam said. "You were the one who offered the cards to switch partners."

"You don't have to keep on me about it," Zander said irritably. "I told you I'd get them for you before we go to bed."

"You'd better," Sam said glaring back at him before heading upstairs.

"Wanker," Zander muttered.

Ashley ran into Sam on her back downstairs. "Sam?"

"Yeah?" he asked.

"Zander told me about that deal he made with you," Ashley said, biting her bottom lip. She knew her mother had said to let it go, but she just couldn't let her friend give up something that was obviously so important to him.

"What about it?" Sam asked.

"You don't really want those cards, do you?" Ashley asked.

"The ones Zander's giving me?" Sam said. "Yeah I do- it'll give me the biggest collection out of anyone. Ever."

Ashley sighed. "Um...what if you could get something else?"

"Like what?" Sam asked incredulously.

"Um," Ashley wracked her brain. She highly doubted Sam would want a sketch. "Um...do you follow Quidditch?"

"Of course I do," he replied. "Why?"

"What if I could get you Andrew Kirke and RJ Weasley's autographs?" Ashley asked.

Sam raised an eyebrow sceptically. "You know both of them?"

Ashley nodded. "If you can give me a couple of days, I'm sure I can get them for you."

"For real?" Sam asked. "Well maybe.... that might be kind of cool."

"If I can get you those autographs, Zander gets to keep his cards," Ashley said. "Deal?"

"But I still want the comics," Sam said quickly.

"I'm sure that'd be okay with Zander," Ashley said. She made a mental note to write to her grandfather tonight to see if he could get those autographs to her.

"Okay then," Sam said. "You've got a deal."

Ashley smiled. "Thanks, Sam."

"How long will it take to get the autographs?" he asked.

"A couple of days," Ashley promised.

"Cool," Sam nodded then turned away.

Ashley found Zander in the common room looking quite glum. She tapped him on the shoulder. "I know something that will make you feel better."

"What's that?" Zander asked. "You're doing all my homework for me?"

Ashley shook her head and laughed. "No...you don't have to give up your cards."

"What do you mean?" Zander asked. "I thought you wanted to be partners?"

"I do," Ashley reassured him. "But I ran into Sam and I offered him something he wanted more."

"What?" Zander asked his eyes wide.

"I know you said it wasn't a big deal," Ashley said. "I know how important those cards are to you." She told him about offering Sam the autographs.

"Ash," Zander said in amazement. "You are my new best friend."

Ashley blushed. "Zander..."

"No, really." Zander replied. "This... I mean, I'd rather have you for my partner than have my cards, but I really, really appreciate it."

Ashley smiled at him. "What are friends for, right?"

"Right," Zander smiled back. "You're the absolute best, Ash."

Ashley laughed. "I just have to write to my grandpa tonight and see if he'll get them for me, but it shouldn't be a problem."

"Do you think he could get me one too?" Zander asked hopefully.

"I'll see," Ashley promised.

"Don't know what my first year would have been like without you," Zander said dramatically.

"It's not even over yet," Ashley said throwing a piece of parchment at him. "We're just getting started."

Zander threw it back. "Come on Malfoy. You can do better than that."

"You're just trying to get out of homework," Ashley said throwing it back.

"Because I don't understand any of it," Zander batted the parchment aside.

"I'll help you," Ashley said. "We're partners, remember?"

"Right," Zander grinned at her again.

Ashley stole a look at her friend as they began their studying. She didn't know what she would have done without Zander and Brittany these first few months of school. Things really were just beginning for all of them.

*** *** ***

Frankie fidgeted in her seat and looked absently at the magazine in her hands. She and Will were in the doctor's office.

"What time is it?" Frankie asked her husband.

Will didn't look up from his own magazine. "Thirty seconds from the last time you asked me that question."

Frankie sighed and looked around the room at the other pregnant women. There was one sitting just across from her who looked as if she was about to pop any moment. Frankie wondered if she would get that big.

"What's taking so bloody long?" she muttered. "Honestly..."

"I'm sure the doctor will see us as soon as he can," Will reassured her.

Frankie sighed. "At least being here makes me feel less fat," she whispered.

"You're not fat," Will said. "You are pregnant."

"I know," Frankie looked down at her stomach.

"And you've never looked more beautiful," Will said squeezing her hand.

"You have to say that," Frankie reminded him.

"I say it because I mean it," Will said. "You have that glow about you...."

"I do not have a glow," Frankie complained. "I have a pooch belly."

"I'm thinking I should probably be quiet the rest of your pregnancy," Will said thoughtfully. "Jack warned me that everything I say is going to wrong and this way we could avoid a row."

Frankie gave him a look and settled back in her chair.

"Frankie Barron," the receptionist announced.

"Finally," Frankie pushed herself up.

Will took her hand and together they followed the nurse back to the examining room.

"How are we doing today?" the nurse asked brightly.

"I'm tired," Frankie said grumpily. "And I'm still throwing up a lot."

"That's normal," the nurse said taking her blood pressure.

Frankie sighed and leaned back. "I just wish it would stop."

Will sat down and watched as the nurse finished the pre-examination.

"Your vitals are good, Mrs. Barron," the nurse announced.

"Thanks," Frankie managed a small smile.

"The doctor will be with you shortly," the nurse announced before leaving the room.

Will looked at his watch. "When we finish up here, we can pick Hannah up from school."

"If we get done in time," Frankie replied petulantly.

"I don't see why we wouldn't be," Will said. "Come on, Frankie. We're going to find out how healthy our baby is."

"I'm sorry," Frankie relaxed. "I really don't mean to be so cranky."

"It's okay," Will said grinning at her. "I'm getting used to it."

"Come sit by me," Frankie reached for his hand.

"Only if you promise not to bite," Will said dryly.

"Not too hard," Frankie grinned at him.

Will sat down beside her just as the doctor came into the room.

"Good afternoon, Mr. and Mrs. Barron," the doctor said smiling warmly at them.

"Afternoon," Frankie answered.

"I hope that you're ready to see your baby for the first time," the doctor said.

Frankie nodded, as did Will. "We've been waiting for this." he said, squeezing his wife's hand.

"Let's get started then," the doctor said explaining about the ultrasound.

Frankie gripped Will's fingers tightly, feeling nervous all of a sudden.

"Did you want to know the sex of the baby?" the doctor asked.

Will looked at his wife. "What do you think?"

Frankie nodded. "I'd like to know."

"So would I," Will agreed.

"Great," the doctor said. "Okay then, we'll begin. This gel should be little cold on your belly..."

"Ooooh," Frankie shivered. "You weren't kidding..."

The nurse turned on the screen and Will took Frankie's hand as the doctor moved a device over Frankie's belly. A thumping-like sound filled the room.

"That's the heartbeat," the doctor told her.

Frankie couldn't help but smile. "Really?"

The doctor nodded. "Sounds quite strong..."

Will beamed at Frankie.

The doctor moved the device and a small frown appeared.

"What is it?" Frankie asked, suddenly nervous.

The doctor didn't respond at first as he studied the screen.

"Doctor?" Will asked. "Is something wrong?"

The doctor shook his head. "No, not at all. The babies are fine."

193. 193

We certainly had some of you stewed up over this one ;) This chapter deals with mostly Frankie/Will/Hannah, and then some Allie/Jon stuff.

Next one we jump ahead to Christmas- we’re trying to work forward a bit so stay tuned next Saturday for that! Also, please go check out this drawing of some of the LD characters made for us by Melissa by clicking here. Feedback is most welcome!!!

Frankie breathed a sigh of relief. "Really? You had me scared there for a----hang on. Did you----did you say babies? Babies----plural?"

"You're having twins," the doctor nodded. "One of them, you see here- is hiding behind the other. There are two heartbeats--"

Frankie was speechless. "No, no, no. Twins---that's not possible. We're only having one baby. Right, Will?"

Will didn't answer. He was staring in awe at the screen.

"Fraternal twins to be exact," the doctor said. He pointed at the screen. "There's your son....and that right there, is your daughter."

"But..." Frankie stared. "We didn't order twins! It's just supposed to be one baby!"

The doctor chuckled. "Mrs. Barron, I know this is quite a shock..."

"Are you sure it's not just my heartbeat?" Frankie asked. "That's it- it's my heartbeat and the baby's. That's why you hear two."

The doctor shook his head. "No, Mrs. Barron. Those are your babies' heartbeats and I can see them quite clearly on the screen. They're quite healthy and developing just as they should."

Frankie just shook her head. "Oh my God..."

"Twins," Will whispered. "We're having twins."

Frankie was stunned speechless. She'd just gotten herself prepared for ONE child, but was in reality having two. "I can't handle this," she uttered weakly.

"Of course you can," Will said. "We both can, Frankie."

"But two?" she asked. "At the same time?"

"Your sister did it," Will reminded her. "And Ron and Luna had two sets of twins. Not to mention Josh and Lizzy and their triplets."

Frankie wiped at her eyes. "I feel really overwhelmed."

"I'm just going to print out some pictures for you," the doctor said. "And then we'll finish up, Mrs. Barron."

"Thank you," Frankie said weakly.

Will kissed Frankie's forehead. "It's going to be okay, love. I promise."

"Two babies," Frankie looked up at him. "Two. How are we going to handle that?"

"Like we handle everything," Will said. "Together."

Frankie wiped her eyes again. "A little boy and a little girl..."

"To go along with our precocious little five-year old," Will said smiling at her.

"How do you think she's going to react to this?" Frankie asked.

"She's going to be fine," Will reassured her. "She might be a little confused at first, but you see how she is with Mas and Sukie."

"She's wonderful with them," Frankie said softly.

The doctor handed Will a couple of print-outs from the screen. He instructed the nurse to help clean Frankie up and to make a follow up appointment for the Barrons.

Frankie was still in quite a bit of shock as they left the office. She walked alongside Will silently as they headed for their daughter's preschool.

"How are you holding up?" Will asked her.

"Fine, I think," Frankie answered vaguely. She couldn't keep her hands off her stomach- she kept thinking about the two babies growing inside her.

"Nathan and Isabelle," Will said softly. "We'll get to use both names."

Despite herself, Frankie smiled. "I'm glad we came up with both of them now."

Will stopped walking and stood in front of his wife. he cupped her face in his hands. "I love you so much, Frankie."

"I love you too," Frankie looked up at him. "And I'm so scared, but at least we're in this together, right?"

"Absolutely," Will agreed before leaning in and kissing her.

Frankie leaned into him, kissing him back. Suddenly, the thought of twins wasn't quite so bad.

"Let's go and get our girl," Will said smiling down at her.

"Our first girl," Frankie replied with a grin.

"That's right," Will said taking her hand and walking up the steps to the school.

"I think she's going to be happy," Frankie said thoughtfully. "Hannah's going to be such a good big sister."

"She is going to be fantastic," Will said holding the door open for his wife.

Frankie touched her stomach again as they sat down on a bench together just outside Hannah's classroom. Will pulled the ultrasound pictures out of his pocket and they both gazed at them.

"Nathan looks like he's trying to protect Isabelle," Will said grinning at the picture.

"He's already got the brotherly instinct," Frankie nodded. "I wonder which of them will be born first."

"Don't know," Will replied. "But I am glad that I'll have another bloke around the house to help balance out all that estrogen."

Frankie laughed. "Very funny."

The door to Hannah's classroom opened and students began filing out.

"Daddy! Mummy!" Hannah called out when she spotted them. "I thought Grandpa Neville was picking me up today!"

"We told him we wanted to see our girl instead," Will swung her up.

Hannah giggled and put her arms around his neck.

"I have an idea," Will looked over at his wife. "How about we go for some ice cream?"

"Ooooh," Frankie said eagerly. "I like that idea. Hannah?"

Hannah nodded eagerly. "I want chocolate chip ice cream!"

"I like the sound of that," Will said.

It wasn't crowded at Florean's and soon enough they were all sitting down, Hannah and Will with cones and Frankie with a small dish of ice cream.

"Did you go to the doctor's?" Hannah asked her mother.

"We did," Frankie nodded. "And guess what he told us?"

"The baby's okay, isn't she?" Hannah asked.

Will nodded. "She is and he is. They're both fine."

"He and she?" Hannah asked quizzically.

"The doctor told us we were having twins," Frankie said, her voice breaking a little on the word twins. "A boy and a girl."

Hannah's eyes were huge. "You have TWO babies inside you?"

Will pulled out the pictures again. "Look at this. That is your little brother, Nathan."

"He's so small!" Hannah peered at the picture. "And where's the other baby?"

Will handed her the other picture. "This is Isabelle."

"Those are the names I picked!" Hannah exclaimed excitedly.

Will grinned. "They are going to love you so much, Hannah."

"I already love them a lot," Hannah turned to one of the other pictures. "When will they be born?"

"February," Frankie replied. "Unless they decide to come earlier."

"February is how many months?" Hannah asked.

"Its October now," Will told her. "So we have about four more months to go."

"That's such a long time!" Hannah bit her cone.

"Your mummy and I were really surprised when we found out," Will told her.

"To say the least," Frankie said quietly.

"Aren't you happy, Mummy?" Hannah asked.

Frankie nodded. "Yes, sweetheart. I'm just getting used to the idea of twins. I thought we were just having one and it took me by surprise when I found out."

"But it's a good surprise," Hannah said. "Right?"

Frankie smiled. "Yes, it's a good surprise."

Hannah scooted over and gave her mother a hug. "You don't look like you have two babies inside you."

Frankie hugged her tightly. "Thank you, baby."

"I love you so, so much." Hannah hugged her back.

"I love you too," Frankie said feeling tears welling up in her eyes. "So much. And I'm going to need your help with the babies."

"I already can't wait," Hannah replied.

Will laughed and shared a smile with Frankie.

"I think this is all going to work out just fine," Frankie wiped her eyes with a napkin.

Hannah looked back at the pictures. "I hope Nathan's being nice to Isabelle in there."

"I said it looked like he was protecting her," Will said. "He's sort of right in front of her."

Hannah smiled. "It does look like that!"

Frankie wiped her eyes again. "How about we finish up our ice cream and go tell everyone the good news?"

"Who are we going to tell first?" Hannah asked.

"You pick," Will told his daughter.

"We should tell Grandpa Neville and Grandma Cho first," Hannah said. "And then Grandpa Ted and Grandma Abbie. And Aunt Chiaki and then Em!"

"Of course we have to tell Em," Will said dramatically.

Hannah giggled. "Daddy! Em's my bestest friend. I have to tell her!"

"How about you give her a call while we finish our ice cream?" Frankie dug into her bag for her mobile.

Hannah grinned. "Okay!"

Frankie punched in her sister's phone number then passed the phone over to her daughter.

"Hi, Aunt Allie," Hannah said. "Can I speak to Emma?"

Emma carefully took the phone from her mother. "Hi Han!"

"Em, guess what?" Hannah asked. "My mummy went to the doctor today and she found out that she's gonna have two babies! Like Mas and Sukie!"

"Frack has two babies?" Emma asked.

"Isn't that great?" Hannah asked. "And we have pictures!"

"Come over!" Emma said. "Em wants to see!"

"We have to tell Grandpa and Grandma first," Hannah said.

"Come after," Emma ordered.

Hannah looked at her mother. "Mummy, can we go show Em?"

"After we go see your grandparents, we'll swing by," Frankie promised.

Hannah told Emma this before handing the phone back to her mother.

"Em?" Frankie asked. "Can I talk to your mummy?"

"MUMMY!" Emma called out. "FRACK WANTS TO TALK TO YOU!"

Frankie held the phone away as Hannah and Will both laughed.

"Frankie?" Allison's voice came over the line.

"Hey," Frankie said. "Mind if we stop over in a little while?"

"You never have to ask," Allison told her. "How'd the doctor go?"

"Great," Frankie answered. "Allie... perhaps in a few months I can borrow some of Emma's old clothes... AND some of Adam's."

"I knew you were having a little girl!" Allison squealed. "I just had---wait, Adam's too? What---why?"

"Guess," Frankie said slyly.

"Twins?" Allison asked. "Really? Ooooh, Frankie!"

"One of each," Frankie confirmed. "The doctor heard two heartbeats."

Allison grinned. "Did you freak out?"

"A little bit," Frankie answered. "Will calmed me down."

"Like the good husband he is," Allison said. "I'm so happy for you!"

"Thanks," Frankie replied. "We're going to tell Mum and Dad, then Will's parents. We'll come by after that."

"Don't forget Chiaki," Allison said. "She's going to be over the moon that you're having twins!"

"I'm going to ring her right now," Frankie replied.

Frankie hung up with her sister and dialled her older sister's number. Someone did pick up the phone, but they didn't say anything.

"Hello?" Frankie asked.

"Hello?" the voice mimicked.

"Sukie?" Frankie asked. "What are you doing answering the phone?"

"Sukie phone!" the little girl shouted happily.

Frankie laughed. "Is your Mummy home?"

"Mummy home," Sukie said. "Hi Frack!"

Frankie heard her sister's voice in the background and she stifled a laugh when she heard Chiaki trying to convince her daughter to let her have the phone.

"How about a biscuit?" Chiaki coaxed. "Chocolate chip?"

"No," Sukie said stubbornly. "Sukie talking to Frack!"

"Two biscuits then," Chiaki bargained.

"Two?" Sukie asked. "Just for Sukie?"

"Just for Sukie," Chiaki nodded.

"Kay," Sukie replied, dropping the phone. "Bye, Frack!"

Frankie laughed. "Nice to know she loves biscuits better than me."

"She's been in rare form today," Chiaki said with a laugh.

"How are you?" Frankie asked.

"Knackered," Chiaki answered honestly. "But other than, I'm good. How are you?"

"Well," Frankie said. "I found out something interesting today and I couldn't wait to tell you..."

"Really?" Chiaki asked distractedly. "Mas! No, don't put that in your mouth! Stop that!"

Frankie waited while her sister took care of Mas. "Well I found out that Will and I are--"

"Sorry," Chiaki said a few moments later. "Mas was trying to eat one of his toy cars. What were you saying?"

"I found out today that you and I will have one more thing in common," Frankie hinted.

"What's that?" Chiaki asked.

"I'm expecting twins," Frankie grinned.

"WHAT?" Chiaki squealed.

"A little boy and a little girl just like you!" Frankie said happily.

"Frankie!" Chiaki exclaimed. "That's fantastic!"

"We haven't told Mum and Dad or Will's parents yet," Frankie said. "But we're going over to Allie's- we could stop by after if you don't mind."

"I'd love that," Chiaki said. "And Tosh will be home soon, too. That's----that's just the greatest news! I am so happy for you!"

"Thanks," Frankie said. "I'm going to be coming to you for loads of tips."

"I will help you as much as I can," Chiaki said. "Ohhhh....I need to go! Mas don't put that in your mouth!"

"We'll come by later," Frankie promised. "I'll ring you before we head out."

Hannah looked expectantly at her mother. "Were they excited?"

"Very much so," Frankie smiled.

"The more I think about it, the more happy I get," Hannah said grinning at her. "It's going to be like having Mas and Sukie at our house all the time! And they never get to go home!"

"Exactly," Will told her with a grin.

"And they are going to love having a big sister like you," Frankie said.

"I hope so," Hannah said fervently. "I love them so, so much already."

Frankie beamed at her daughter. She knew this hadn't been easy to adjust to, but over the past few weeks, Hannah had really come around. Even though Frankie was more than a little apprehensive about what was to come, she knew that she'd get through this with Will and Hannah and her family.

*** *** ***

It had been a few days since Jon had told Victoria about his magical abilities, and she had not brought it up since then. He wasn't quite sure how he felt about that- if she was taking it as a joke, or if she was really freaked out about it. As they closed up for the night, he decided to broach the subject.

"Vic?" Jon asked taking a seat at the bar.

"Hi," she responded, moving a bit further down to wipe the counter.

"Did you have a chance to think about what we talked about the other night?" Jon asked.

Victoria looked away. "Jon--"

"I'm still the same person I was before," Jon interjected.

"It's just sort of strange," Victoria replied. "This whole... magic thing."

"To you, I'm sure it is," Jon said thoughtfully. "But for us, it's normal. It's not going to be an issue here. I've never used it here and my kids---they can't do magic outside of school until they're 17 so you don't have to worry about them."

Victoria looked at him for a long moment. She liked Jon very much, and adored his family. He'd become her best bartender in a very short amount of time and he'd done more than his fair share as her partner.

"If you want to break our partnership," Jon began.

"No," Victoria shook her head. "You're the best thing that ever happened here, Jon."

Jon smiled. "I love it here, Vic."

"And I still thank God every day for hiring you when you walked in here," Victoria said wryly. "We're all right Jon. This is just... I never thought magic was real. And here you're telling me about this whole other world that exists right under my nose that no one really knows about."

"At least you didn't call the people in the white coats to come and take me away," Jon joked.

"We're well past that," Vic answered dryly.

"Josh says they should have carted me off years ago," Jon said.

"He has to say that," Victoria tossed the rag at him.

Jon laughed. "You trying to tell me you want me to finish cleaning up?"

"Can you do it with that magic of yours?" she asked.

Jon looked at her. "Vic? Not five minutes ago, I promised I wouldn't use that here."

"Just this once?" she asked slyly.

Jon withdrew his wand and muttered a cleaning spell. Within seconds, the surface of the bar was so clean it was shining. With another flick of his wand, the tray of glasses on the counter behind Victoria were clean and stacked.

Victoria felt her jaw go slack. "Wow..."

"Comes in handy every now and then," Jon said with a grin. "Especially with kids."

"That's pretty amazing," Victoria shook her head. "Now I know how the bar was so spotless after Em's party."

Jon grinned. "Al's handiwork, actually."

"I guess sometimes your magic is pretty cool then," Victoria said thoughtfully.

Jon nodded. "It can't do everything though. I couldn't do anything with it to help Adam with the croup."

"How is he?" Victoria asked sympathetically.

"Doing much better," Jon replied. "He slept most of the night last night thanks to the humidifier."

"Good," Victoria said. "You look more rested today."

"I think I'm going to head on home unless you need me for anything else," Jon said. "I wanted to give Allie a break."

"Go ahead," Victoria said. "You've already cleaned up the place."

"Thanks," Jon smiled at her. "So, we're good?"

Victoria grinned. "What on earth would I do without you?"

"You're not going to find out," Jon said. "I'll see you tomorrow."

"Bye," Victoria waved him out.

Jon made his way happily back to the house, eager to tell Allison about his conversation with Victoria.

"Em, you can't wait up for Daddy every night," Allison was trying to get her youngest to sleep.

"Five more hours," Emma said sitting back up.

"Em," Allison said firmly. "Five more seconds."

"Daddy's home," Jon said from the bedroom doorway.

"Daddy!" Emma scrambled out of the bed. "Em missed you!"

Jon held open his arms and Emma ran into them. He picked her up and hugged her tight. "Daddy missed you too, baby girl."

"She's been waiting up all night," Allison frowned. "She really needs to go to bed when I ask her to."

Emma smiled at her father and clapped her hands on his cheeks. "I wanted to see you!"

Jon smiled. "But you need to listen to Mummy, Em."

"Okay," Emma said yawning. "Sissy already went to sleep."

"That's right," Allison took her back. "And now you're going to sleep, Emma Madeline. No more stalling."

"Until next night," Emma said grinning slyly at her mother as Allison put her back in bed.

"You will go to bed when I tell you tomorrow night," Allison said firmly.

"Kay, Mummy," Emma said hugging her bear to her. "Night, Daddy! Em loves you!"

"I love you too Em," Jon smiled at his daughter. "Sleep tight."

"Night, Mummy," Emma said. "Em loves you too even though you make Em go to sleep."

Allison had to grin at that. "Mummy loves you too Em."

Jon turned out the light and left the door ajar. He followed Alison into the kitchen.

"She is too much," Allison said laughing.

"That she is," Jon sat down at the table.

"I kept a plate warm for you," Allison said motioning toward the counter. "You hungry?"

"For something you made?" Jon asked. "Always."

"Roast beef and potatoes," Allison said. "I thought I'd make your favourite to cheer you up."

"You're the best," Jon replied. "But everything's okay. Vic understands."

Allison smiled. "She came around then?"

"Even had me clean up with magic," Jon said wryly.

Allison laughed. "Well, that's a good sign. She might ask you to do that every night."

"The main thing is that my job isn't in danger." Jon replied, digging into his meal.

"And that is fantastic news," Allison said sitting down across from him. "You were made to do that, Jon."

"It seems so long ago now that I only taught flying," Jon said thoughtfully.

"Another thing that you're great at," Allison said smiling at him.

"I know there's one thing I'm damn good at," Jon eyed her.

Allison winked at him. "You know, Adam is back in his nursery now...."

"Sleeping for a change?" Jon asked.

Allison nodded and remembered how she'd read him a story earlier and he'd just sat down with her, cuddling up beside her. "I'm glad he's feeling better. I hated feeling like there was nothing we could do for him."

"Did you leave the humidifier on?" Jon asked. "That really helped him sleep."

"I did," Allison said. "You know he reminds me more and more of you every single day."

"His rugged good looks?" Jon boasted.

"That," Allison said. "And his expressions."

"He's my boy," Jon said fondly. "Damn Al... I never thought we'd be this lucky."

Allison reached for his hand. "We are. We went through quite a bit to get here."

"Sometimes I still think about when you were in that coma." Jon said quietly.

Allison squeezed his hand. "I made it because I knew that I had you and Caroline depending on me and I wanted to meet our new little girl."

"Right," Jon nodded. "Come on over here."

Allison grinned and walked around the table. "You haven't finished your food."

"I'm hungry for something else," Jon commented.

"Me?" Allison asked coyly.

"How'd you guess?" Jon nibbled at her ear.

"I like to think I know you quite well by now," Allison said closing her eyes.

"How many years is it now?" Jon asked.

"Almost eighteen years," Allison replied. "But we've known each other since we were babies."

"And when I was finally able to ask you out without sounding like a complete idiot," Jon began.

"You were never an idiot," Allison cut him off.

"So that means you really liked the silly string?" Jon asked impishly.

"In retrospect, yes," Allison said with a grin. "And it certainly made me notice you."

Jon kissed her. "How about a reprise?" he joked.

"You're on," Allison said smiling at him.

*** *** ***

Ethan unlocked the door and stood back so his wife could step inside the cottage. They'd just returned from Frankie and Will's. Their friends had told them the happy news about the twins.

He noticed that his wife had been rather quiet since leaving. "Mads?"

"I'm going to feed these leftovers to Blue," Maddie said smiling slightly at him.

"Okay," Ethan watched her go into the sitting room.

Maddie opened up the pixie's cage and Blue eagerly flew out, landing on her shoulder.

Ethan waited in the kitchen for a few minutes before going back out. "Mads..."

"He's really hungry," Maddie said watching as the pixie nibbled at an egg roll.

"I'm not worried about the pixie," Ethan answered. "You've hardly spoken a word since we left Will and Frankie's."

"It's just been a long day," Maddie lied.

"It's not just that," Ethan pointed out. "I know you better than anyone, Maddie."

Maddie turned around to look properly at her husband. There were tears in her eyes.

"Mads," Ethan reached for her. "Come here."

Maddie fell into his embrace, sobbing into his shoulder. "I'm a horrible person, Ethan."

"You are not," Ethan soothed, rubbing her back comfortingly. Blue, who had flown back to his cage, looked quizzically at them.

"I am," Maddie shook her head. "I should be happy for Frankie and I am. I just---"

"You just want to have a baby too," Ethan finished for her. "I know, sweetheart. I'm sorry it hasn't happened yet."

Maddie nodded and hugged him again.

"You're not a bad person," Ethan kissed the side of her head. "It's okay to sometimes feel a bit jealous."

"I don't like feeling this way," Maddie said quietly. "I hate it."

"I feel like it's my fault that we haven't conceived yet," Ethan admitted.

"How can you say that?" Maddie asked. "Ethan---"

"Your parents never... had any trouble with having kids," Ethan answered. "Mine did."

"Julie didn't have any trouble," Maddie pointed out.

"But Mum and Dad had so much trouble trying to have me," Ethan explained. "I just... maybe it's passed down or something."

"It could be a number of things," Maddie tried to reassure him. "Maybe...maybe we could go and see a specialist or something."

"Maybe we should," Ethan nodded. "But stop blaming yourself for how you're feeling. We'll get through this, Mads."

"Together," Maddie said wiping at her eyes.

Ethan leaned in and kissed her. "Right."

"You don't think that Frankie noticed, do you?" Maddie asked. "I really am happy for her."

"I don't think so," Ethan shook his head.

"Good," Maddie said looking down to see Blue sitting in her lap. "Hi, baby."

Blue chirped and flew up to her shoulder.

"I'm okay," Maddie said softly.

Ethan smiled at the little pixie. "Talk about being in tune with your mood," he joked.

"He always knows what to do to make me feel better," Maddie said leaning against Ethan.

"I hope I do too," Ethan slid his arm around her.

"You do," Maddie said. "Frankie, Will and Hannah are so happy."

"Yeah they are," Ethan nodded. "And in a few more months, there will be five of them."

"She's a great mum," Maddie said. "And I really am happy for them."

"I know you are," Ethan squeezed her hand with his free one. "There isn't a selfish bone in your body, Maddie."

Maddie smiled at him. "That's why I don't like feeling this way. It's not me. It's not who I am."

"I think it'll pass," Ethan told his wife. "Especially once we do start our own family."

"And maybe our little girl or little boy will be best friends with Frankie's twins."

Ethan laughed. "That sounds about right."

Maddie laughed, too. "Could you have imagined back when we were at Hillsdale that one day we'd be married and that Frankie and I would become best friends?"

"No way," Ethan answered.

"Life doesn't always turn out like you think it will," Maddie said thoughtfully.

"I'm glad life turned out this way," Ethan turned to her with a grin.

"Me too," Maddie said giving him a kiss.

"Hmm..." Ethan said softly. "We could take this into the bedroom. You know... try, try again."

"Trying is the best part," Maddie agreed.

Ethan picked his wife up, honeymoon style, making Blue squawk and fly back into his cage. "Sorry buddy," Ethan said with a grin. "She's all mine tonight.

Maddie giggled. "Ethan!"

"What?" he asked innocently.

"You could be nicer to poor Blue," Maddie said hitting him on the shoulder.

"I'll make it up to him later," Ethan answered, carrying her to the bedroom.

"Because right now, we have a baby to make," Maddie grinned.

"I really, really hope so," Ethan said, putting her gently on the bed. "I love you so... so.... much..."

"I love you too," Maddie whispered. She vowed to tamper her jealousy toward Frankie and the twins. Even though she and Ethan hadn't conceived yet, they were still happy. They still had each other and they still had their cottage. Her mother always said that things happen when they're supposed to.

194. 195

Next chapter will have Weasley/Longbottom Christmas stuff- with loads of Emma :) This one is just Potter/Malfoy. While you’re waiting for next week’s update, make sure to check out our new fic Teacher’s Pet on Tuesdays, and of course, Cayman Undercover on Thursdays. We will still update next Saturday night even over the release of DH!

The school year sped by quickly and Saffron and Ashley were already home for Christmas holiday. They had arrived two days ago and were currently at the Minister's mansion celebrating with their families, including Elinore.

"And Zander didn't have to give up his cards after all," Ashley told her family. "We're still partners, but thanks to Grandpa, I gave Sam the autographs instead."

"RJ was happy to do that for you," Harry told his granddaughter.

Elinore beamed at her. "That's great, Ashley. I'm so glad that you're enjoying your first year at school."

"I really am," Ashley said happily. "And it's so cool having Aunt Saffy and Alexa there too."

"It's been great having you there," Saffron said sitting down beside her grandmother. She rested her head on Elinore's shoulder like she used to do when she was younger.

Elinore patted Saffron's hand. "My sweet Saffy. Are you enjoying school too?"

"Yes, Gran," Saffron replied. "I've been really busy."

"She's Quidditch captain as well as Head Girl," Ashley piped up.

"Saffy's ruling the school," Ethan joked.

"Just as you did," Hermione reminded him. "And your sister before you..."

"I've heard horror stories about Ethan's reign," Julie teased. "More focused on Quidditch than anything else..."

"I split my time evenly," Ethan said.

"Sure you did," Saffron replied with a smile.

"How's it been having Puddles with you?" Elinore asked.

"It's been fantastic," Saffron answered. "I leave him treats in my bed so he stays occupied during the day while I'm in class or at practise."

"We've kind of missed having the little guy around," Hermione said grabbing a sugar biscuit from the tray.

"Speak for yourself," Harry joked.

"Robert's looking forward to seeing you," Elinore said patting Saffron's hand.

Saffron pressed her lips together. "I know Gran. I want to see him too..." she said softly.

"He's really proud of you, Hermione," Elinore said looking at Saffron. "You and Lavender."

"Mum," Hermione leaned forward. "I'm over here."

Elinore turned and looked quizzically at her daughter for a moments. "Oh, of course, you are, dear."

"That's Saffron sitting next to you," Hermione told her mother gently.

"Whom?" Elinore asked.

"Gran it's me," Saffron fought back the tears that wanted to well up in her eyes.

"You look just like my daughter," Elinore said to her. "She's about your age."

Harry touched his wife's shoulder. "I'll go get her a pill."

"Thanks," Hermione said gratefully.

Katie felt bad for her aunt. "Grandma, do you remember me?" she asked, trying to be helpful.

Elinore looked kindly at the brown haired little girl. "Grandma? I'm sorry, love. You have me confused with someone else."

"Here we are," Harry came back into the room quickly with a glass of water and the bottle of pills.

Saffron stood up and walked over to where her brother and sister were standing. Ethan put his arm around her. "She's just having a spell, Saffy."

"I know," Saffron answered. "But it still hurts when she doesn't remember who I am."

"She'll be okay," Julie said hoping she was right. Their grandmother had her good and bad days.

Saffron only nodded as she wrapped her arms around herself.

Hermione smiled reassuringly at her mother. "Do you want to lie down, Mum?"

"I'll lie down when I go home," Elinore answered.

Hermione squeezed her hand. "We're just---we're really happy that you're here."

"Well of course I'm here," Elinore said exasperatedly. "We all live together, Hermione!"

"Mum---"

"Robert, will you talk some sense into your daughter?" Elinore asked looking at Ethan.

"Gran," Ethan looked startled now. "I'm not Grandpa. I'm your grandson, Ethan."

"Robert," Elinore looked pleadingly at Ethan. "I'm frightened."

"Elinore," Harry said, seeing as how she was frightening Ashley and Katie. "How about I go take you to one of the guest rooms so you can lie down for a bit? A little kip might help you feel better."

"I'll do it," Hermione said taking her mother's hand again. "Come on, Mum. A nice kip will do wonders for you."

Elinore stared at her daughter for a few long moments. "Hermione?"

Hermione nodded. "It's me, Mum. And you're here with your family. We all love you."

Elinore nodded and looked around. "I'm sorry... I still get so confused."

"It's okay," Saffron said stepping forward. "Oh, Gran."

"Saffy," Elinore said softly. "I'm sorry to scare you, sweetheart."

Saffron put her arms around her grandmother and hugged her. "I'm just happy that you're okay."

Elinore hugged her back. "Robert loved you so much." she said with tears in her eyes. "Saffy, he had such a special bond with you..."

The tears rolled down Saffron's cheek. "I loved him, too. I miss him every single day, Gran."

"Perhaps I should go lie down," Elinore said. "Just for a little while..."

"I'll take you upstairs," Hermione said. "We'll wake you just before dinner."

Elinore nodded and followed her out. Harry got up and hugged his youngest daughter to him. "It's okay, Saffy."

"She didn't know me, Daddy," Saffron said softly.

"She should," Katie said, a bit angrily. "She should be taking her medicine so she doesn't get sick!"

"She is taking her medicine," Julie said putting a hand on her daughter's arm. "Sweetheart, don't get mad at your Grandma Ellie."

"It's just not nice when she makes Aunt Saffy upset," Katie looked up at her mother.

"She didn't mean for that to happen," Julie said gently. "She would never want to hurt any of us intentionally. You know that."

"I guess," Katie said uncertainly.

"Sit down with me," Julie said.

Katie did as her mother asked.

"Grandma Ellie has something called Alzheimer's Disease," Julie explained.

"What disease?" Katie asked.

"It's something that gradually destroys a person's memories," Julie replied thoughtfully. "It's why your grandmother was confused earlier and forgot who some of us were."

"It's not fair that happens to her," Katie said. "Isn't there a cure for it?"

"It's not fair," Julie agreed. "And there's no cure for it."

"Oh," Katie said quietly, looking down at her hands.

Saffron needed some fresh air and she excused herself to step outside onto the patio. A few moments later, she felt a tap on her shoulder. She turned to see her father standing there with her coat.

"Thought you might need this," he said, holding it out to her.

"Thanks," she said quietly, taking the coat from him and slipping it on.

"I know it's hard for you to see your Gran like that," Harry put a comforting arm around her.

"It's going to get worse, isn't it, Daddy?" Saffron asked.

Harry sighed. "I wish I could tell you otherwise, sweetheart."

Saffron turned and hugged her father. "I know she can't help it, but it hurts when she doesn't remember me."

"I know it does," Harry kissed the top of his daughter's head. "But you handled yourself well in there."

"I love her so much," Saffron said. "I wish there was some spell we could do that would help her keep her memories, Daddy."

"If there was, I'd cast it in a second," Harry answered. "And you know your Gran loves you too, even if she has a hard time placing you."

"Katie was right," Saffron said softly. "This isn't fair."

Harry almost smiled. "Lots of things aren't fair in life, Saffy. But that's just how it is sometimes."

"I never want to lose her," Saffron said leaning against her father. "Ever."

"I know you don't, baby." Harry hugged her again.

"She's resting now," Hermione said stepping onto the porch.

Harry nodded. "I'll go wake her up before dinner."

Saffron wiped at her eyes. "How are you holding up, Mum?"

"I'm all right, Saffy." Hermione smoothed her daughter's hair back. "Everyone's worried about you in there."

"I'm worried about Gran," Saffron said. "I didn't know that she'd gotten worse. I thought the pills were helping her."

"They do, when she takes them." Hermione explained.

"Let's get back inside," Harry said to them. "It's freezing."

Saffron nodded silently and walked ahead of her parents into the house.

"Do you want some hot chocolate, Aunt Saffy?" Ashley asked. "Mummy's making some."

"Sure," Saffron sat down next to her niece. "That'll be nice, Ash."

"Grandma Ellie will be okay," Ashley said. "I know she will."

Saffron didn't want to indulge in Ashley's belief, but she didn't want to bring her down either. "I hope so," she finally said.

"Here we are," Julie said carrying a tray of mugs.

"Thanks Jules," Saffron looked gratefully at her older sister.

"Did any of your friends stay behind at school?" Nick asked deciding to change the subject.

"Beth did," Saffron replied. "And so did Peter."

"Brittany and Zander went home," Ashley told them. "Their whole family goes skiing every Christmas."

"Sean told me his family was thinking about going skiing," Saffron said absently.

"You and Sean are still talking then?" Harry asked.

Saffron nodded. "We've written back and forth a few times--"

"A lot more than a few," Ashley said. "I heard you tell Alexa he wrote to you almost every day."

"Ooooh," Ethan teased. "Sean's back in with a chance, is he?"

Saffron rolled her eyes but didn't say anything.

"Drink your cocoa," Maddie told her husband.

"I am," Ethan looked at his wife.

"Stop teasing your sister about Sean," Maddie said nudging him.

"It's okay Maddie," Saffron said. "I'm used to it."

Katie giggled. "Maya told me about some of the things you used to say to her, Uncle Ethan. You're funny!"

Ethan turned red. "That was a long time ago," he muttered.

"Aunt Saffy," Katie said happily. "Guess what Maya said Ethan once told her? He said that she must be a broom because she swept him off his feet!"

Saffron pressed her lips together to keep from laughing. "That's a great line, Ethan. Really."

"That's kind of sweet," Maddie said stifling a laugh.

"I've gotten much better," Ethan said dryly.

"Did you ever use one of those, Grandpa?" Katie asked.

"Didn't have to," Harry answered smugly.

"All he had to do was move his fringe and show that scar," Ethan said.

Julie giggled. "Didn't you once tell me that you forgot your name when you talked to Dad for the first time, Mum?"

Hermione nodded. "I did."

"And she carried a watermelon," Harry added.

Hermione laughed. "Can't forget that, can we?"

"Why did you carry a watermelon?" Ashley asked.

Hermione told her granddaughters about running into Neville on the Hillsdale grounds and how she'd help him carry a watermelon to the employee disco.

"I want to go there," Katie said enviously. "Maybe next summer we can do that instead of Brighton!"

"Perhaps," Julie said putting an arm around her daughter. "We'll see."

"I still love Brighton," Ashley said. "We had so much fun there this year."

Saffron would always associate Brighton with her break up with Andrew. She didn't know how she felt about going there again next summer.

"Dinner's going to be ready soon," Harry interrupted them.

"What are we having?" Nick asked.

"Filet," Harry answered. "And if you don't like that, chicken."

"Sounds good to me," Nick said with a grin.

"I'll go wake up Gran," Julie offered.

"Thank you, love," Hermione said.

"I'll go with you," Saffron pushed herself up from the table.

Julie took her sister's hand. "She's going to be okay, Saffy."

"I hope so," Saffron said quietly.

Hermione told the girls which guestroom they'd find Elinore.

"I'm sure now that she's taken her pills, she'll remember you," Julie reassured her sister.

"I'll come too," Ethan said hurrying behind them.

Julie smiled at her brother. "We seem to like making things a family event, don't we?"

"The Three Musketeers," Ethan said with a grin.

Julie knocked softly on the bedroom door and peeked around it. "Gran?"

Elinore opened her eyes and sat up in bed. "Julie, is that you, dear?"

"Yes Gran," Julie answered. "Ethan and Saffy are with me too."

"Come in," Elinore said.

"Are you feeling better?" Julie asked her.

Elinore nodded. "I'm sorry that I scared everyone."

"No need to apologise," Ethan said sitting down on the edge of the bed.

Saffron still hung back in the doorway. Her grandmother was obviously feeling better but she was still upset about earlier.

"Dad's made chicken and filet," Julie told her grandmother. "I hope that you're hungry."

"I am," Elinore nodded. "Quite thirsty too."

"I can get you a glass of water," Saffron offered, finally speaking.

"Thank you," Elinore looked at her granddaughter. "Saffy, you look so pretty tonight."

Saffron smiled. "Thank you, Gran."

"Did you sleep at all?" Ethan asked his grandmother.

"A few minutes," Elinore said getting to her feet. "Those pills make me sleepy."

"I'm sure they do," Ethan nodded as Saffron returned with a glass of cold water.

"Thank you," Elinore said taking a sip from the glass.

Hermione appeared in the doorway. "Everything okay?"

Elinore nodded. "Yes, dear. The children and I were just chatting."

"Harry's fixed you a plate," Hermione told her mother.

"You ready to go downstairs, Gran?" Ethan asked.

"Yes," Elinore nodded. "I'm not here to sleep- I want to spend time with my family."

Saffron smiled at her grandmother. "We love you very much, Gran."

"I love you too Saffy," Elinore stopped and hugged her. "I'm sorry to have scared you earlier."

"It's okay," Saffron said staving off a new set of tears.

The five of them went back downstairs and headed for the dining room. "Just in time," Harry said with a smile.

"It smells delicious," Hermione said to him.

"I can't wait to dig in," Nick was already seated.

"Me too," Elinore said softly.

"You sit right here at the head of the table," Harry held a chair for her.

Elinore smiled at him before taking her seat.

Saffron slid in between Maddie and Elinore. She was suddenly starving as well.

"After dinner, Daddy promised he'd play the piano for us," Katie told Elinore.

"How lovely," Elinore said. "I always did enjoy hearing you play, Nicholas."

"I promise not to charge you for the royalties," Nick joked.

Saffron smiled. "Are you guys coming over to the Burrow for Christmas?"

Nick looked at her. "Saffron, Nana would have my head if we didn't."

"Of course," Saffron shook her head. "What was I thinking?"

"About Sean?" Ethan craned his neck to look at her.

"Ethan James," Saffron glared at him. "How old are you?"

"How old are you?" he countered with an annoying grin.

"I'm obviously much more mature than you," Saffron retorted. "In fact, I think Adam Weasley has more maturity than you."

"Ouch Saf," Ethan was still grinning. "That got me right where it hurt."

Elinore laughed. "I can remember a time when you used to follow your brother around like you were his shadow."

Saffron rolled her eyes. "I was delusional."

"If I had a galleon for every time you had me race you in the ballroom downstairs," Ethan said shaking his head.

"And I always won," Saffron said loftily.

"I let you win, brat," Ethan countered.

"Whatever," Saffron waved her hand. "You probably flew that broom that Maya used to sweep you off your feet."

The entire table, save for Ethan, laughed at that.

"Come on," Maddie nudged her husband. "You have to admit she got you there."

"Yes, well," Ethan said begrudgingly.

Elinore smiled at Saffron. "Robert always said he could never win an argument against you, Saffron Grace."

"No one can," Saffron boasted with a grin.

"Something else you have in common with your mum," Harry said sharing a look with Hermione.

"And it's something I got from Dad," Hermione smiled.

Elinore beamed at her daughter. "Robert would have been so proud of all of you."

"We hope so Gran," Julie replied.

Everyone was quiet for a few moments as they started to eat the delicious food. The only sound was the sound of forks hitting the plates. Maddie couldn't help but notice that her sister-in-law seemed a bit distracted.

"What's on your mind tonight?" Maddie asked. "Is it Elinore? She seems to be doing---"

Saffron shook her head. "No, I--I was thinking about Sean, actually."

"So Ethan was right?" Maddie asked.

"Don't go telling him that," Saffron whispered back.

"He won't hear it from me," Maddie promised.

Saffron smiled at her. "He's been writing to me and it's been really nice. I think that I might----that I might---"

"What?" Maddie asked. "Have feelings for him?"

"Yeah," Saffron nodded.

"Well that's okay," Maddie said encouragingly.

"But how can I have feelings for him when I still love Andrew?" Saffron asked.

"Are you sure you still love him?" Maddie asked carefully. "Or is it something you feel you're hanging onto because you have to?"

Saffron shrugged. "I'm not sure which is so bloody infuriating!"

Maddie smiled sympathetically. "I think if you have feelings for him, you should go forward with them. Sean's a nice bloke, Saffy."

"He is," Saffron agreed.

"He probably still fancies you a bit," Maddie suggested.

"He told me as much," Saffron told her.

"Why don't you give it a chance and see how it goes," Maddie said.

"He did ask if I wanted to go ice skating with him tomorrow," Saffron confided.

"Did you say yes?" Maddie asked.

"I said I'd have to see," Saffron replied.

"I understand you playing it safe," Maddie nodded. "But if you ever want to talk about anything, I'm here for you."

"Thank you, Maddie," Saffron said smiling at her. "I appreciate that."

Maddie smiled back at her. "Anytime."

"Have you seen Andrew?" Saffron asked. "Recently?"

Maddie shook her head. "RJ said he's been very busy."

Saffron sighed. "I've certainly seen that. The papers have been having a field day with him and his dates."

"I'm sure it doesn't mean what they say it does," Maddie replied reassuringly.

Saffron certainly knew that with all the speculation and rumours the tabloids published at her parents' expense over the years.

"Yeah," Saffron said quietly.

"Don't let it bother you," Maddie touched her arm. "I know it hurts, but you're a strong person, Saffy. You'll be fine."

"Thanks," Saffron said smiling at her. "You are my favourite sister-in-law."

"I'm your only sister in law," Maddie joked.

Ethan looked at them. "What are you two chattering about?"

"Nothing," Maddie smiled innocently as she stole a bite off his plate.

"Maddie!" Ethan exclaimed.

"It was just a little bite," she replied.

"Yeah, yeah," Ethan said laughing. "That's what you always say."

"It always tastes better coming from your plate." Maddie said, giving him her look.

"Take what you want," Ethan said moving his plate closer to her.

"Thank you," Maddie leaned in and pecked him on the lips.

"Dad, what's this I hear about you having the next two weeks off?" Julie asked her father.

Harry grinned. "Thought I'd take a little time during the holidays to spend with my family."

"How about you, Mum?" Julie asked.

"I have a few meetings this next week," Hermione answered. "But I kept my schedule light."

Julie smiled. "I know that wasn't easy for you."

"Your father and I both decided we wanted to be home during the holiday," Hermione replied.

"Family is important," Elinore said. "Very, very important."

"I second that," Saffron spoke up.

"Daddy, do a toast," Katie urged.

"All right Katie bear," Nick agreed. "What should I say?"

"Um," Katie thought about it. "You should say that you love all of us and you bought me that dress up kit that I really, really wanted for Christmas."

Nick laughed. "You aren't getting a single hint about your Christmas gifts, young lady."

"If Nick doesn't mind and Katie agrees," Ethan said standing up with his goblet. "I'd like to make a toast."

"Go for it mate," Nick replied.

"We're all here today because of Robert and Elinore Granger," Ethan said looking at his grandmother. "I admired Grandpa so much for so many things. There wasn't anything he wouldn't do for his family and I hope that when Maddie and I start our own family that I'll be just as good a parent as he was. To Grandpa."

Saffron smiled at her brother. "To Grandpa." she echoed.

Elinore wiped at her eyes. "That was lovely, Ethan."

"Yes it was," Hermione was also a bit teary eyed.

"Beautiful," Maddie agreed giving him a peck on the cheek when he sat back down.

Ethan squeezed his wife's hand. They were still struggling to have a baby, but were keeping their hopes up that it would happen soon.

They finished dinner and Saffron excused herself for a few minutes. She had a phone call to make. She quickly dialled in the number and waited for someone to pick up. "Mrs. Grant? Is Sean home?"

A few moments later she heard him pick up another line. "Hello?"

"Hi," Saffron said suddenly feeling a little nervous. "It's Saffy."

"Hey," his voice warmed when he heard who it was. "What's up?"

"I'm just at home," Saffron said. "We just finished dinner. How are you? Is this a bad time?"

"We just finished too," Sean replied. "And it's never a bad time for you."

Saffron smiled. "I was wondering if your offer was still good?"

"For skating?" he asked. "Yeah--"

"I'd love to go with you," Saffron said softly.

"Really?" he asked happily.

"Yes," Saffron said smiling.

"Great," Sean said with a huge grin. "We'll have a lot of fun, Saffy."

"I think so too," Saffron said. "When did you want to go?"

"How does tomorrow afternoon sound?" Sean asked. "We could go for some hot chocolate afterwards."

"It's a date," Saffron said without thinking. "I mean it's a meeting of two people who are friends and who are going skating..."

"Right," Sean said quickly. "Just... just friends."

"Who are we kidding?" Saffron asked. "It's a date."

"Only if you want it to be," Sean said hastily. "I don't want you to feel like I'm pushing you or anything."

"It's okay," Saffron said. "We've been writing back and forth for all these months. I like you, Sean."

"I never really stopped caring about you," Sean admitted.

Saffron smiled. "So, I guess this would mean that we're dating again."

He grinned too. "I like the sound of that."

"So I'll see you tomorrow around noon?" Saffron asked.

"Can't wait," Sean answered. "Shall we meet there or do you want me to pick you up outside that pub?"

"We can meet there," Saffron said. "Bye, Sean."

"Night, Saffy." Sean said before hanging up.

Saffron was still smiling when she hung up the phone.

What she told Maddie had been true- she did still love Andrew. But it was obvious he had moved on, and it was time she did too.

195. the REAL 195

Here’s our first post HP chapter- don’t worry, we’ll still be around for awhile, bringing you the REAL Potter and Weasley children ;) If you love Emma, which so many of you do, you’ll love this chapter! Please review!

It was Christmas morning and everyone had just arrived at the Burrow to spend the day together. Jon, Allie and the girls had spent the night there and were leaving in the afternoon for dinner with Neville and Cho.

"Em tried to be really good this year," Emma said to Ethan. "So Santa brings Em lots of presents!"

Ethan picked her up and sat her on his lap. "He must have thought you were really good this year."

"Hope so," Emma eyed the mountain of gifts under the tree in the corner of the room.

"Nana, come on!" RJ called out. "We're all ready to open presents!"

"Just a minute dear," Molly replied. She was getting hot chocolate for everyone and had to levitate three trays behind her.

"Where's your better half, Junior?" Josh asked.

"Spending the day with her family," RJ said referring to Audrey. "I'm going over there for dinner."

Josh shared a look with Jon. "Ooooooooooh..." they cooed in unison.

Darla hit Josh on the shoulder. "Stop teasing him!"

"Ow," Josh said. "You hit hard."

"I grew up with you two," Darla said. "A girl has to defend herself."

"You make it sound like we tortured you on a regular basis, Mrs. Feinbach," Jon said sarcastically.

"No, that's what you two do to me," RJ grumbled.

"It's a rite of passage," Jon picked up Adam from where he was tearing across the room.

"Da!" Adam exclaimed. "Hmmmmph!" He pointed at a big box beside the tree.

"What's that little guy?" Jon asked. "I think that one's for you!"

Adam's eyes grew large.

"Em wants to open presents!" Emma started bouncing on Ethan's lap. "Now, now, now!"

Casey giggled and began imitating her cousin. "Now, now, now!" she sang.

Molly came into the sitting room and set the trays of hot chocolate down on the coffee table. "Okay, begin."

"Em first!" Emma screamed.

"Emma Madeline," Allison cautioned. "Remember, we start with the youngest first. But I'm sure Adam would love it if you helped him."

"Okay," Emma slid off Ethan's lap.

Molly had put each child's presents in separate piles. Jon set Adam down in front of his pile.

"Adam, which one do you want to open first, buddy?" Jon asked.

"Da!" Adam pointed to the big present.

Emma grinned. "It's almost as big as you, Adam!"

"Em!" Adam pointed to the gift.

Emma tore off the paper with a little help from Adam. Jon helped her open the box and Adam squealed when he saw it was a big, stuffed dragon.

"Ooooh," Emma's eyes widened. "A dragon for the princesses!"

"Dag!" Adam pointed. "Dag!"

"That's right Adam," Jon set the dragon in front of his son. "Em... I'm sure Adam wouldn't mind you playing with it, but remember it's his, okay?"

"Does he breathe fire?" Emma asked innocently.

"It's just a stuffed dragon, baby." Jon chuckled.

"We can pretend," Emma said grabbing another box for Adam. She helped him tear into it. Inside was a small green jumper with an "A" on it for Adam.

"That's so cute, Molly!" Allison exclaimed. "I was wondering when he was going to get one."

Molly beamed. "I hope it fits him!"

"You've never gotten it wrong," Arthur said putting his arm around his wife.

"Another one for Adam!" Emma announced, putting another box in front of him.

"From Santa," Caroline said to her brother.

Adam grinned up at her and grasped the paper with his hands.

Adam opened the box and looked over at Emma.

"Cars!" Emma told him. "Like you had on your list!"

"Car," Adam said thoughtfully.

Emma helped Adam with the rest of his presents, which were mostly toys. Afterwards, he seemed more interested in balling up the discarded wrapping paper.

Chloe went next and Drew sat in the middle of the floor with her. "Which one do you want first, sweetheart?"

Chloe looked at her mother, then back at the gifts.

"How about this one?" Ron asked handing her a package. "This is from Grandma and Grandpa."

Chloe looked at it, her eyes wide.

"I think my baby girl needs a little help," Drew said with a grin.

Caroline knelt down in front of them. "I'll help her, Aunt Drew."

"Thank you Caroline," Drew smiled at her niece.

Caroline carefully opened the gift and smiled when she pulled out a teddy bear. "Look, Chloe. You have a bear!"

"Ooooh," Chloe reached out for it and hugged it to her.

"Grandpa, you've given each of us our first bears," Caroline said smiling at him. "You and Grandma."

Ron smiled at her. "It's tradition, Angel."

Chloe clutched her bear to her while Caroline opened another present for her.

"Blocks!" Caroline exclaimed. "You'll have so much fun with these, Chloe."

"Those were from Santa," Drew whispered in Chloe's ear while Brian took a picture of the two of them.

"Mmmmm..." Chloe said, looking up at her mother.

Caroline helped her cousin open up a few more packages of toys and clothes.

The triplets were next and the three of them didn't need any help opening their presents.

"Look!" Casey screamed as she tore through her presents. "EM!"

Emma looked at her cousin. "Ooooh! What did you get, Case?"

Casey held up a pink dress. "Princess!"

"Ooooooooooh!" Emma squealed. "Sissy! We have a new princess!"

"We'll have to have a ceremony," Caroline said. "So she can be official."

Casey beamed at them.

"Which one will she be?" Lizzy asked.

Caroline looked thoughtfully at her aunt. "Well, I'm Jasmine. Em's Ariel. Hannah's Belle. She could be Sleeping Beauty or Snow White."

"Beauty," Casey replied.

"She does like to sleep," Josh grinned.

"Sleeping Beauty it is," Caroline smiled at her cousin. "At our next meeting, you'll officially be a princess."

"Daddy!" Casey looked at her father. "I'm a princess!"

"You sure are," Josh said tugging at one of her curls.

Casey showed him the dress. "Wear now?"

"Open the rest of your presents first, baby," Josh said.

"Kay," Casey set the dress aside and attacked the rest of her gifts.

"TRUCK!" Noah shouted happily.

"Me too!" Aidan said holding his truck up for everyone to see.

Molly squeezed Arthur's hand as she waited for the triplets to open the jumpers she'd made for them.

Casey's was red, Noah's was green and Aidan's was blue.

"Ooooh!" Casey squealed. "Pretty like dress!" she held her jumper up.

Molly grinned. "Oh! I'm so glad you liked it, love!"

Casey toddled over to her great grandmother and hugged her.

"Boys, why don't you hug Nana too?" Josh whispered to Noah and Aidan.

The two boys dutifully got up and threw themselves in Molly's embrace.

Molly hugged them all tightly. "I love you three soooooo much!"

"Love Nana too," Noah told her.

Emma looked up at her mother. "Now for Em?"

Allison laughed. "Go for it, baby."

Emma dove toward her presents. "Stand back."

"No one get in Em's way," Maddie joked.

Ethan grinned. "I did and I don't mind telling you that I don't remember what happened after that."

Maddie laughed and leaned against her husband. They had resolved to put the troubles of trying to have a child aside for the day and just enjoy being with their families.

"Sissy, watch!" Emma told Caroline.

"I'm watching, Em." Caroline promised.

Emma tore into her first package and what she found inside left her speechless.

"A wireless!" she held the small radio up. "Em's wireless!"

"That was on the top of your list, Em," Caroline said smiling at her.

Emma could hardly form the words thank you to her parents, she was so enthralled.

Emma reluctantly set the present aside and opened another package. Molly had knitted her a purple blanket.

"Thanks, Nana!" Emma said grinning at her.

"I hope you like it sweetheart," Molly smiled at her.

"It's the prettiest blanket ever," Emma said softly.

"I made one just like it for Hannah," Molly told her. "So you'll match."

Emma grinned. "Thanks, Nana."

"This one is from us," Luna said handing her a gift.

"Ooooh," Emma opened it in a hurry.

Emma looked quizzically at the box.

"It's an Easy Bake Oven," Luna told her. "You can make your own food, sweetheart."

"Em makes her own food?" Emma asked, her whole face lighting up.

"You can make your own biscuits," Luna said. "And your own brownies and cupcakes."

"Right now," Emma pulled at the tape on the box. "Em will make a cake."

"Em, maybe you should wait---" Allison started to say.

"Noooo!" Emma screwed up her face.

"I can help her," Maddie offered. "While everyone else opens their presents."

"Are you sure?" Allison asked.

"Absolutely," Maddie replied. "If Em will let me..."

"Yes," Emma nodded. "Mad can help."

Maddie smiled and together she and Emma dragged the box over to an empty corner of the room. Maddie pulled out the instructions and the mixes that came with the oven. "Okay, we can either make brownies, chocolate chip biscuits or cupcakes."

"Cupcakes," Emma decided.

"Excellent choice, Chef Emma," Maddie said in a dramatic voice.

"And Em and Mad can eat when we're done," Emma said happily.

"That's the best part," Maddie said giving her niece a hug.

It didn't take them long to mix up the little pan and soon three small cupcakes were baking in the oven, which Maddie had powered using her wand.

"I had one of these when I was little," Maddie told her.

"Did Mad make dessert all the time?" Emma asked, peering in the little door.

"I did," Maddie said remembering. "I didn't do too well my first few tries, but I eventually got the hang of it."

"Mad is good at everything," Emma said faithfully, watching as Caroline started opening her gifts.

Maddie smiled at her. "Thank you, Emma."

Caroline gushed over a music box from her grandparents that played the same tune she'd danced to in the recital. "Thank you!"

"You're welcome love," Luna smiled at her. "We were so proud of you up there."

She also received a new pair of ballet slippers and a couple of new leotards. Molly had even knitted her a new jumper since she'd outgrown her last one.

"Thank you so much," Caroline hugged her great grandmother. She knew it must have taken Molly a long time to knit everything.

"And now I think it's time for the Mad Knitter to get her present," Nick said.

Molly waved her hand. "Having you all here is present enough for me."

Nick handed her an envelope. "I'm not taking no for an answer, Nana. This is for you and Grandpa."

Molly took it curiously and opened it with Arthur peering over her shoulder.

"Nicholas," Molly gasped looking at the portkey ticket. "We can't---"

"Australia," Arthur said grinning at his grandson. "Nicholas, I don't know what to say."

"Just say thanks, we'll have a great time." Nick replied with a smile.

"It's a great tour," Julie said when Molly seemed still not able to speak. "You have two weeks with the group. It's really romantic."

"Thank you both," Arthur said gratefully.

"We're happy to do it," Nick said giving his grandfather a hug. "I missed out on a lot of Christmases with you and Nana."

Molly gave Nick so tight a hug he nearly felt his ribs crack. "You're good to us, Nicholas. And I'm so happy you're here."

"Thanks," Nick wheezed. "Me---me too."

Arthur laughed at the look on his grandson's face. "Let him go, Molly. The boy can't breathe."

Molly dabbed at her eyes as she sat back down.

"Who's next?" Julie asked.

"RJ," Josh replied.

"All right," RJ moved himself onto the floor.

"I help!" Noah told him.

"Come here then," RJ grinned as his nephew plopped down on his lap.

"Big one first," Noah said, reaching for the large gift.

"Size does matter," RJ quipped earning groans from his sisters.

"Don't you dare teach him that," Maddie swatted his shoulder.

"It's a joke," RJ said rubbing at his arm.

"Open!" Noah said impatiently.

"Okay, okay," RJ said tearing off the paper with Noah's help.

RJ grinned when he saw the new jumper that Nana had knitted for him. "This is great!"

"I worry about you getting cold during your practises," Molly said. "I want you stay warm."

"This will definitely help," RJ said appreciatively.

The next gift he opened was smaller and was from Ron and Luna. RJ grinned when he saw the silver watch.

"Just what he needs," Drew said dryly. "Maybe he'll be on time now."

"I'm always on time," RJ retorted as he put the watch on.

"Do you like it, RJ?" Luna asked.

"It's fantastic," RJ nodded. "Thanks Mum. Thanks Dad."

"You're very welcome," Luna said giving him a hug.

"Gamma, move!" Noah said frowning at her. "In way!"

"Noah," Josh chastised. "You don’t' speak to your grandmother that way."

"Sorry, Gamma," Noah said before tearing into another of RJ's presents.

RJ grinned and sat back. "Glad he's having so much fun."

Noah opened a box to reveal a couple of jumpers from Drew and Darla. Since this wasn't a toy, he'd tossed them over his shoulder dismissively.

RJ laughed as he leaned over and retrieved them. "It's a good thing these aren't for him."

"The important thing is that you like them," Drew said mussing her brother's hair. "And do you?"

"Of course I do," he assured them.

"This one is from me," Maddie said handing him a package.

RJ unwrapped the heavy package to see a new camera. "Hey!" he said in surprise. "How did you know I wanted this?"

"You kept hinting at it the other week when you were over at the cottage," Maddie said smiling at him. "And Grandpa Ernie said this was the best camera on the market right now."

"Thank you," RJ said gratefully. "I'll put it to good use."

"No one's opened a single thing we've given them," Fred pouted from the sofa.

"For good reason," Ron retorted.

Casey toddled over to Fred. "Gif?"

"Would you like an extra present?" Fred lifted her onto his lap. "In that case--"

"Fred Weasley," Lizzy said crossing the room in two quick strides. "You are not going to try out any trick or prank on my children."

"Oh come on Liz," Fred pleaded. "It's a simple one- just makes them sprout feathers for a day or so..."

"Em wants feathers!" Emma squealed forgetting about her cupcakes. "Mummy, can Em have feathers?"

"No you may not," Allison said.

Emma pouted. "No fair!"

"You wouldn't like it after an hour," Allison said firmly. "No feathers."

Fred looked at Ron who vehemently shook his head. "No, Fred. And I told you those things didn't test well."

"Guess we still have a little work to do," Fred grumbled.

"Hmmm?" George asked finally focusing his attention on what was going on.

Drew noticed that her usually outspoken uncle was awfully quiet today. "Uncle George?"

George looked over at his niece. "Yes?"

"Are you okay?" Drew asked. "You're never this quiet."

"Yeah, what happened?" Charlie asked. "You can't be this upset that no one in the family wants to try out one of your jokes, mate."

George looked over at Fred who studiously glared in the other direction. "Nothing..."

Drew and Darla exchanged a look. "Okay....what's going on?"

"Ask him," the twin boys said in unison.

Charlie rolled his eyes "George?"

"Apparently, I'm not allowed to date anyone who went out on a date with him over 50 years ago!" George said glaring at his brother.

"Who are you talking about?" Charlie asked.

"One date?" Fred retorted ignoring Charlie. "She and I were together for nearly a year."

"You went to the Yule Ball," George pointed out. "And then you even told me you weren't serious about her!"

"Who are you talking about?" Darla asked in exasperation.

"Angelina Johnson," both Fred and George said in unison.

"Angelina Johnson-Murphy," Ron corrected. "She's married to that bloke that invented those brooms that fly backwards...."

"Was married," George told him. "She's been divorced for over two months now."

"And my dear brother decides it's okay to ask her out when he sees her the other day," Fred said darkly.

"Well, what's wrong with that?" George asked. "I mean she's single and I'm single. And we always did get along. It's not as if you've been pining over her for 50 years, Fred."

"Like you would know," Fred muttered.

"You're just mad that you weren't in the shop when she came in," George said angrily.

Molly reached for an old photo album and pulled out a picture of Fred and Angelina from the Yule Ball all those years ago.

"Ooh, let me see, Nana!" Caroline exclaimed.

Molly showed it to her. "What do you think, darling?"

"She's really pretty," Caroline said. "I love her dress robes!"

"She's still that pretty," George said, also looking at the picture.

"So when she came in the shop the other day," Drew guessed. "You and Angelina really hit it off?"

"You could say that," George replied. "Until Fred here walked in."

"What did you do?" Ron asked looking at Fred.

"Nothing," Fred turned a deep shade of red.

"Set about making me look like an idiot is what he did," George said.

"Didn't take much," Fred retorted.

"Angelina was really nice about it though," George recalled fondly. "And I asked her if she'd like to grab a bite sometime and she said yes."

"Because you put her in a bad position," Fred said picking up a piece of discarded wrapping paper.

"I did not," George denied. "I even asked if she wanted to only go as a casual thing... but she said no, she hadn't been on a date in awhile and it sounded nice."

"I think that sounds lovely," Molly said. "You two boys are the only ones unmarried now and I was always hoping that some girl would finally come along..."

"George is NOT marrying her," Fred told his mother.

"Well, of course not," Molly said shaking her head. "He's just going out on a date, but it sounds like they both like each other. No harm in seeing where it goes."

Fred said nothing, merely glared off into space.

"Fred," Molly put her hand on his arm. "You and George are best friends and brothers and business partners. I'd hate to see that fall apart over a woman."

"It would have been fine if it wasn't Angelina," Fred answered.

"Be honest," George asked him. "You hadn't given her any thought until you walked in and saw her talking to me. You know, I'm right."

Fred only shrugged in response.

"I'm going to go out with her Fred," George said quietly. "And I hope you can support that."

Fred got up and went into the kitchen without a word.

George sighed. "Well I tried..."

"He'll come around," Drew tried to reassure her uncle.

George shrugged. "I don't care. Angelina wasn't ever really his girlfriend."

"He still has feelings for her though," Julie commented.

"50 years later?" George scoffed.

"Good point," Julie said quietly.

"He needs to get over it," George stood up.

"How about we all get over it over some breakfast?" Molly asked.

"I like the way you think," Ron shot to his feet.

"Grandpa," Emma called. "Em has a cupcake for you!"

Ron smiled and looked down at the little redhead who was holding a cupcake. "Did you make this with your new oven?"

Emma nodded. "It's good!"

"I would love to try one," Ron said taking it from her. He took a bite.

"Good?" Emma asked hopefully.

"That," Ron said kneeling down. "Was the best cupcake I've ever tasted."

"Really?" Emma beamed at him.

"Absolutely," Ron said picking her up. "And you are the cutest baker in the whole wide world."

Emma giggled and kissed him on the cheek. "Em will make biscuits later."

"Happy Christmas, Baby Girl," Ron said hugging her.

"Love you Grandpa," Emma wound her little arms around his neck.

196. 196

Here’s the rest of Christmas, and then for you Gabe and Alexa fans, a rather enjoyable scene :)

Please review and let us know what you think! Please? It only takes a few seconds! :D

Cho set down a tray of biscuits on the coffee table and watched as her grandchildren descended on it like it was a sack of toys.

Emma squealed. "Chocolate chip!"

"Only two, Em." Allison cautioned.

"Kay," Emma said frowning.

Adam crawled over to the table. "Emmmmmmmm...."

"Hi Adam," Emma looked down at her brother. "Mummy can Adam have a biscuit?"

"If you break it up into tiny pieces," Allison said. "Really small pieces, Em."

"Kay," Emma replied, carefully doing just that. "Here Adam."

Adam happily took one of the pieces and popped it into his mouth.

Emma giggled. "He likes it Mummy!"

"He's a Weasley, isn't he?" Jon asked proudly. "We've never met a food we didn't like."

"Like Em," the redhead answered. "Em loves everything!"

Hannah laughed. "You even like aspergus."

"Asparagus," Frankie corrected.

"But Em no like Maxi's food," Emma said thoughtfully.

"You tried it once," Caroline reminded her.

"No I didn't," Emma denied.

"You did," Caroline argued. "Remember, Mummy? You were making dinner and Emma was sitting with Max on the floor..."

Emma stamped her foot. "Em never ate Maxi's food!"

"She did spit the kibble out," Allison said in her younger daughter's defence.

"Yuck, Em." Hannah giggled.

"Yucky," Sukie agreed.

Emma looked over and when she saw her mother wasn't looking, snuck another biscuit.

Caroline decided to let her get away with it. She sat down beside her grandmother. "Those are really good biscuits, Grandma."

"Thanks love," Cho put an arm around her granddaughter.

"Grandpa doesn't have to worry," Caroline confided. "Emma and I left our beauty supplies at home. No makeovers for him tonight."

"He'll be quite happy to hear that," Cho said with a grin.

"And I cannot wait to see Uncle Toshio dance in The Nutcracker tomorrow," Caroline said looking to where her uncle was talking with Neville.

"It's going to be lots of fun," Cho agreed. "I haven't had a chance to go see a ballet in awhile."

"I always love to watch him and Aunt Chi dance," Caroline said.

"I do too," Cho kissed the top of her head.

Frankie rubbed her lower back. The babies were especially active today and she was trying not to be too cranky.

"Want a massage?" Will asked.

"I don't know if it would do any good," Frankie muttered.

"That bad?" Will asked.

"They're just kicking a lot," Frankie sighed. "And I just hate being huge as a house."

"You're expecting twins," Will said reassuringly. "And you have never looked more beautiful."

Frankie smiled grudgingly. "When you say it like that I almost believe you."

Hannah came over to her with a couple of biscuits on a napkin. "I got these for you, Mummy."

"Thanks baby," Frankie patted the seat next to her. "Come sit by me for a bit."

Hannah handed her mother the biscuits and then sat down.

"I can't believe this is already our second Christmas together," Frankie looked fondly at her daughter.

"Me either," Hannah said happily.

"Santa was good to you this morning," Will said with a grin.

Hannah grinned. "I got everything on my list!"

Frankie shifted again on the sofa. It seemed no matter what, she was destined to be uncomfortable.

"Did you like the telescope Mummy got you?" Hannah asked Will.

"I did," Will nodded. "When the weather gets nice again, we'll do some stargazing."

"And you really liked the picture I drew for you?" Hannah asked.

"That one was my favourite," Will grinned at her.

Hannah beamed at him. "You're going to put it up in your office, right?"

"After I frame it, yes." Will promised. "And Mummy already hung hers up in the bedroom."

"I love you being home all the time," Hannah said to her mother. Frankie had taken an extended leave from the team.

"That part's been quite nice," Frankie agreed. She loved spending time with her daughter.

"Are the babies kicking now?" Hannah asked.

Frankie nodded. "I know you like to feel that," she reached for Hannah's hand and placed it on her stomach.

Hannah giggled as she felt something. "I bet that was Nathan."

"He's a strong little kicker," Will agreed, putting his hand on the other side of his wife's stomach.

"Think he'll play football with you, Daddy?" Hannah asked.

"I hope so," Will answered.

Chiaki was talking to her father when she felt a tug on her leg. "What is it, Sukie?"

"Hi," Sukie grinned at her.

"Hi," Chiaki knelt down. "What are you up to, miss?"

"Where did Em go?" Sukie asked, reaching for her mother.

Chiaki picked her up. "I think she went in the kitchen with her Daddy."

"I'm hungry," Sukie leaned her head on Chiaki's shoulder.

"Dad," Chiaki asked. "How much longer before we eat?"

"Maybe another half hour," Neville looked at his watch.

"Let's go and get you some juice to tide you over," Chiaki said to Sukie. "We'll find Em, too."

"Kay," Sukie said happily. "Hi Gampa!"

"Hi, sweetheart," Neville said squeezing her chubby hand in his.

"Miss you," Sukie reached for him.

Neville took her and spun her around. "I missed you, too."

Sukie giggled with delight. "Do again!"

"Uh-oh," Chiaki teased her father. "She's going to have you doing that all night, Dad."

"I don't mind that in the least," Neville kissed his granddaughter's cheek.

"You're a sucker," Chiaki said laughing.

Neville twirled her around again and she squealed with delight. This got Mas' attention and he toddled over to them.

"Me!" Mas said excitedly. "Me too, Gampa!"

"Me first!" Sukie wouldn't let Neville set her down. "Again!"

Mas' lower lip began to tremble. "M-me!"

"I'll spin you around, my love." Chiaki picked her son up.

"NO!" Mas kicked his feet. "Want Gampa!"

"Ouch," Chiaki grimaced as her son's foot hit her side. "Mas--"

"Want Gampa now!" Mas exclaimed. "No Sukie!"

Sukie glared at her brother. "Mean Mas!"

Toshio came over to help keep the peace. "Mas, you don't kick your mummy. Come here, little guy."

"No," Mas shook his head.

"Masanobu," Toshio warned. "If you keep this up, you're getting a time out."

"But Sukie's mean!" Mas's eyes were screwed up in anger.

"She was playing with your grandpa and your mum offered to spin you around," Toshio pointed out. "And if you can wait, I'm sure your grandpa would love to spin you around next."

"But Sukie's first!" the little girl exclaimed.

"One more go for you and then it's your brother's turn," Toshio told her.

"Ready for your last spin then?" Neville asked.

"Kay," Sukie said happily. She leaned in and whispered in her grandfather's ear. "Go really long, Gampa."

Neville laughed. "One... two... three!"

Toshio looked at his wife. "I think we've hit the terrible twos...."

"You aren't kidding," she handed her son off to her father as Sukie went into Toshio's arms.

"My ears are still ringing from this morning's duelling chorus of 'Mine, Mine, Mine'," Toshio groaned at the memory. Toshio's parents had given Sukie a carousel horse and Mas a magic carpet. When Mas had asked to sit on the horse, Sukie went ballistic.

"Hopefully someday they'll learn to share," Chiaki also grimaced at the memory.

Toshio looked at his daughter. "What do you say, Sukie?"

"More," Sukie replied.

"More sharing?" Toshio asked grinning goofily at her. "That's what Daddy wants to hear."

"No," Sukie said, frowning.

Toshio laughed. "It's nice to share, Sukie."

"Not with Mas," Sukie glared at her brother, who was being swung around by Neville.

"He's your brother, love," Chiaki reminded.

Sukie only turned and buried her face in Toshio's shoulder.

"Someday, you're going to love sharing with him," Chiaki told her, but she knew her daughter wasn't listening.

Emma and Jon came back out of the kitchen. Emma was wiping at her mouth.

"Jonathan," Neville said. "You and Emma Madeline didn't help yourselves to the food, did you?"

"Uh... Em just wanted a taste," Jon replied.

"And you were just supervising?" Neville asked levelling his gaze at him.

"Sort of," Jon said sheepishly.

"It was yummy," Emma announced.

Neville shook his head. "How much is still there?"

"We just had a couple of bites," Jon replied.

Emma looked up at her grandfather. "It's the bestestest food ever!"

Neville had to smile. "I'm glad you enjoyed it Em."

Caroline laughed. "Daddy, I think Em saved you."

"She's my girl," Jon swooped her up.

Emma giggled. "Daddy!"

"And I'm your girl too, right?" Caroline asked.

"Absolutely," Jon said smiling at her. "I have my Angel Girl and my Baby Girl."

Caroline grinned at that.

Allison smiled from her place on the sofa beside Frankie. She had Adam on her lap and he was about to fall asleep with his head resting on her chest.

"So, what are your plans for New Year's?" Allison asked her.

"Look longingly at the black dress I was able to fit into last year at the same time," Frankie grumbled.

Allison laughed. "Come on Frankie. You're just fishing for compliments now. You're positively glowing- and you're one of the most gorgeous pregnant women I've ever seen."

"Allison, you are blind as a bat," Frankie said patting her belly. "Look at me. I'm as big as a house. I'm uncomfortable most of the time. I'm moody and irritable."

"Join the pregnancy club," Allison replied. "It's normal to feel this way. I know I did."

"I think the babies hate me," Frankie said. "They're kicking and moving around down there and---"

"They're just restless," Allison said reassuringly.

"You're telling me," Frankie said grumpily.

"You have two months," Allison put an arm around her sister. "And trust me, it'll all be worth it."

"I know," Frankie said. "And you and Chi did it. I've always wanted to be just like you guys."

"Right down to wearing our clothes," Allison joked. "Now you're trying to catch up with us in children."

"We've both got Chiaki beat," Frankie giggled.

"Don't tell her that," Allison grinned.

Frankie watched as their older sister chased her son around the sitting room. "I think she has her hands full."

"It's the terrible twos," Allison also watched Chiaki. "It's a hard age."

"At least she has Tosh to help her," Frankie said.

"And you’ll have Will to help you," Allison said. "And you have Hannah."

"She's been a great help already," Frankie said.

"She's a sweet little girl," Allison agreed.

"I've loved being home with her,' Frankie confided.

"She told Emma she loves it too," Allison grinned. "She spent a half hour telling us how you both wrapped gifts last night."

"We had such a good time," Frankie remembered. "Especially wrapping Will's telescope."

"And with these two, in a few years...." Allison patted her sister's stomach. "It's not always going to be easy, but you'll love it, Frankie. I promise you will."

Frankie smiled at her. "Thanks, Allie."

"And anytime you need anything at all--" Allison began.

"I know," Frankie said. "You've always been there for me."

"I still remember that first time you stayed with the girls for the weekend," Allison said. "you have no idea how desperate we were to find anyone."

Frankie laughed at the memory. "Will helped me out so much that weekend. I was in way over my head."

"But you did fine," Allison pointed out.

"I did, didn't I?" Frankie grinned.

"Despite Caroline dumping jasmine perfume all over herself," Will interjected.

"She did what?" Allison asked raising an eyebrow.

"That's how I found out about Disney," Frankie leaned back. "She wanted to smell like Jasmine."

"Her Aladdin phase," Allison remembered.

"She even got Will to dress like him," Frankie leaned against her husband.

"Not a memory I want to relive," Will said dryly.

"But it was so sweet," Frankie replied.

"It was," Allison agreed.

"Dinner is ready," Neville announced.

"Come on baby," Will said. "I'll help you up."

"Thanks," Frankie said offering him her hand.

Allison stood gingerly up with Adam. "Hey, little guy. Are you hungry? Hmm?"

"Emmmmmmmm..." Adam said, reaching for his mother's necklace.

Allison laughed. "You want me to set your high chair up beside Em?"

Adam nodded.

"Jon?" Allison asked her husband. "Did you set up his high chair?"

"Not yet," Jon answered. "I’ll do it right now."

"Thanks," Allison said carrying Adam into the kitchen. Her father really had gone all out. He'd made a vegetarian entree for her sister and mother. He'd also made a complete turkey dinner with all the trimmings.

Emma was already sitting with her little fork and knife grasped in her hands. "Em's starving!"

"You're always starving," Caroline teased her.

"Food is yummy, yummy." Emma said. "Grandpa is bestest cook!"

"What about me?" Allison asked as she sat Adam in his chair. "I thought you loved my cooking best?"

"Um... I do," Emma grinned at her. "But tonight, Em loves Grandpa's best!"

"Good save," Allison said kissing the top of her head.

Hannah was seated next to Emma. "I haven't eaten anything since lunch."

"Han and Em eat really good," Emma said to her best friend.

Hannah giggled. "I'm starving!"

"Let's fix you a plate then," Will said. "Do you want a little of everything, Hannah?"

"Yes please," Hannah nodded.

Frankie tried to get comfortable in her chair. "William, can you fix me a plate, too?"

"I'd be happy to," Will replied, smiling at his wife.

"Thanks," Frankie said gratefully. "Nathan and Isabelle want to have a little of everything."

"Coming right up," Will set Hannah's plate in front of her.

Mas and Sukie seemed to getting along for the moment given that they were on opposite sides of the table.

"Gampa," Sukie said. "More!"

Neville grinned. "You want some more potatoes, love?"

"Yes!" Sukie banged her spoon on her plate.

"Coming right up," Neville said spooning some more mashed potatoes on her plate.

Sukie dug her spoon in and ate messily.

"She's so cute," Caroline whispered to Cho.

"She's too much," Cho agreed with a chuckle. "Don't let Em see her drop any of that on the floor."

Carolina laughed. "I promise not to, Grandma."

"How's school?" Cho asked her.

"Really good," Caroline said. "But you know what's going to be great? When Mia and I and Katie are all at Hogwarts."

"You'll have loads of fun there together," Cho tucked a stray strand of hair behind Caroline's ear.

"Like you did with Saffy's daddy and Grandpa Ron and Grandpa Neville?" Caroline asked.

"Right," Cho smiled at her.

"I think it's really cool that you're all friends after all this time," Caroline said thoughtfully. "I hope that will be like my friends and me."

"I'm sure it will be, love." Cho told her.

"I'd like to make a toast," Neville said standing up. "We've had a really good year in our family. Cho and I are so proud of all of you. We have the best grandchildren in the entire world."

Sukie chose that moment to sling food across the table at her brother.

Mas immediately started to cry. "MEAN SUKIE!"

"Sukie, no dessert for you," Chiaki said. "You're not supposed to throw your food."

Sukie ignored her mother and tossed another handful of potatoes at her brother.

"Okay," Chiaki said standing up and lifting her daughter out of her high chair. "You're through for tonight, madam."

"No!" Sukie kicked her legs out.

"You're in a time out," Chiaki said carrying her into the sitting room. She set her down in the playpen, but took out the toys. "You're to sit here while everyone else finishes their dinner. Good little girls do not throw their food, Sukie."

"Mean!" Sukie glared up at her, tears pooling in her eyes. "No like Mama."

Chiaki ignored that. It seemed to be her daughter's favourite response whenever she was disciplined. She walked back into the kitchen with her daughter's cries following her.

Toshio was still wiping the potatoes off of Mas' face when she came back into the dining room.

"She's in a time out," Chiaki told her husband. "Until dinner's over."

"Mess," Mas cried looking helplessly at his father. "Sukie mean!"

"It's okay Mas," Toshio said calmly. "We'll fix you right up."

"As I was saying," Neville said raising his glass again. "We have a great family and no matter what, there's never a dull moment around here. So I say Happy Christmas to all of you and I hope that the New Year will bring healthy, happy babies to Francesca, Will and Hannah. I hope that Chiaki and Toshio don't lose their minds dealing with the terrible twos and I hope that Allie can keep Jonathan in line."

"Hey!" Jon said. "I resent that!"

"What should I say instead?" Neville asked.

"Talk about what a wonderful son in law you have?" Jon suggested.

"I already know he likes me," Will returned with a grin.

"Okay, Golden Boy," Jon muttered.

"That was a great toast, Dad," Frankie interjected.

"Thank you, Frankie," Neville said. "And Jonathan....how about....Thank you for making my daughter very happy and for giving us Caroline, Emma, and Adam."

"That works," Jon said with a grin.

"Happy Christmas, everyone!" Caroline exclaimed happily.

Jon kissed his oldest daughter on top of her head. "Happy Christmas, Angel."

*** *** ***

It was a few days after Christmas, and Alexa was trying to spend as much time with her boyfriend as possible, given she wasn't going to see him until Easter. He had come over Christmas Day for dinner with her family and completely charmed her mother and even had gotten along with her father.

She was helping out at the bakery like she normally did on her holidays from school and Gabe was keeping her company while also trying to do some reading.

Alexa came over to the table he was sitting at and smiled at him. "Another cup of coffee, sir?"

"You know, I'm going to be up all night if you keep refilling me," he grinned at her.

Alexa refilled his cup. "It's decaf. I cut you off from the good stuff about three cups ago."

Gabriel shook his head. "You're too good to me," he drawled.

Alexa sat down across from him and set the coffee pot on the table. She lifted up the book and wrinkled up her nose. "Organic Chemistry?"

"Fascinating isn't it?" Gabriel asked.

"Maybe I need to switch your cup back to caffeinated," Alexa commented. "You are on holiday, Gabe."

"All right," he said. "All right... I get the point."

"When will you find out how you did this semester?" Alexa asked him.

"Pretty soon," he answered. "Another week or so."

"I bet you made the Dean's List again," Alexa said proudly.

"I hope so," Gabriel said fervently.

"You know you did," Alexa said reaching for his hand. "You are well on your way of being a great paediatrician."

"As long as you're by my side, I know I'll do well." Gabriel squeezed her fingers.

Alexa beamed at him. Things couldn't be going any better for them. The distance had been hard but it had only made their feelings stronger.

"You always know just the right thing to say," she said softly.

"I try," he joked. "I'm just so glad to be here with you Lexie."

"I am very glad that you're here," Alexa said leaning in and giving him a kiss.

"I love you Lex," he whispered when they pulled apart.

Alexa looked dreamily at him from across the table. "I--I love you too."

He straightened up in his chair. "You do?"

Alexa realised what she's said. The three words that had been so hard to say. Those three words that she hadn't wanted to say again until she was sure of her feelings. "I do," she said smiling at him.

"Lexie," Gabriel's grin could have lit up the room. "You really mean that?"

Alexa nodded. "I'm sorry it took me so long to be able to say it."

"It's okay," Gabriel said quickly. "I wouldn't have wanted you to say it unless you meant it."

"Thank you for being patient," Alexa said.

Gabriel leaned in and kissed her again. "I'd do anything for you Lex."

Alexa knew he meant what he said. She'd never thought she'd be able to trust someone else with her heart again.

He was positively thrilled at her words. He'd hoped against hope that she'd soon learn to feel for him like he did for her but he didn't think it would happen for awhile yet.

Alexa looked around making sure that no one else was looking at them before leaning in and kissing him once more.

"When can we get out of here?" Gabriel asked softly.

"I have another hour," Alexa said. "Do you think you can wait that long?"

"I think so," he answered. "Promise you'll make it worth my while?"

"I think that can be arranged," Alexa said giving him one last kiss. "You should go and spend some time with your dad, you know. I feel like I've monopolised all your time."

"I saw him this morning," Gabriel answered. "He's busy on set until late tonight."

"Maybe you and I could bring him a box of doughnuts," Alexa suggested.

"I bet he'd like that a lot," Gabriel nodded.

"When I get finished here, we can bring them over," Alexa said. "And you can show me around the big movie set."

"I'll call ahead and have my dad put us on the list," Gabriel pulled out his phone.

"And then you can get back to Organic Chemistry," Alexa grinned.

"Not for the rest of tonight," Gabriel answered, stuffing the book into his bag.

He didn't reach his father, but he did reach his father's assistant, Taryn. Taryn promised to put him and Alexa on the list.

"Thanks Taryn," Gabriel said gratefully. "We'll be there in a little over an hour."

He turned off the phone and watched his girlfriend as she helped a customer.

He was still in awe over what she had said. She had said she loved him!

As her shift ended, Alexa motioned for him to come up to the counter. "Pick out some things you think your dad would like."

"Hmmm..." Gabriel studied the case. "A few of those cream filled ones... and a few with the jam in them..."

Alexa put his selections in a box. "Anything else?"

"A few of those glazed ones," Gabriel said. "I think that's good."

"Great selection," Alexa said.

Gabriel took out his wallet, but Alexa shook her head. "It's our treat. Mum said it was okay."

"What?" Gabriel asked. "No Lexie--"

"It's our treat," Alexa said. "Put your money away."

"Well then I owe you," Gabriel said.

"I just need to get my coat," Alexa said.

Gabriel nodded and took the box.

Alexa returned a few moments later. "Where are they filming?"

"Trafalgar Square," Gabriel answered. "You ready?"

"Absolutely," Alexa replied.

Gabriel tucked the box under his arm and took her hand in his.

"This is exciting," Alexa said grinning at him. "I've never been on a movie set before."

"It's pretty cool," Gabriel told her. "I couldn't stop looking around the first time I was on set."

"Because of the hot actresses?" Alexa teased.

Gabriel laughed. "The first time I went on set, my dad introduced me to Laurie Hoffman- who I had the biggest crush on. I couldn't string two words together."

"That's kind of like how I---" Alexa said her voice trailing off as she realised what she was about to say.

"How what?" Gabriel asked.

"Just that I know how it is to be around someone you have a crush on," Alexa said hastily. "Um, shall we get a cab?"

"Okay," Gabriel guessed what she was referring to and didn't pursue it.

"Do you know anything about the film?" Alexa asked.

"It's an action film," Gabriel said as they got into the back seat of a taxi.

Gabriel told the driver where they were headed.

"Your dad sure likes to make those," Alexa commented.

"They're like his trademark," Gabriel said with a grin.

"They're not my favourite genre," Alexa admitted.

"No?" Gabriel asked. "You like those cheesy romantic ones, don't you?"

Alexa giggled. "Yes I like those cheesy romantic ones."

Gabriel nudged her. "I think he's got one of those coming up soon."

Alexa rested her head on his shoulder. "We'll definitely have to go see that."

Gabriel smiled. "It's a plan." he pulled her close.

"Saffy and Sean went ice skating again," Alexa said. "I think it's getting serious."

"Yeah?" Gabriel asked. "She seems pretty happy. I was glad for her."

"Me too," Alexa said. "It's taking her a long time to get over Andrew. It's good to see her smiling again."

"Yeah well," Gabriel pulled her closer. "I know I'll be smiling for the rest of the time I'm here..."

Alexa smiled up at him. "You will?"

"I got what I wanted," Gabriel said mischievously.

"Free pastries?" Alexa asked impishly.

"Something better," Gabriel brushed his lips over hers. "And sweeter..."

Alexa looped her arms around his neck. "You did?"

"Uh huh," Gabriel answered softly.

They snogged the rest of the way to the movie set and wouldn't have noticed they'd arrived if the cab driver hadn't said something to him. Gabriel hastily paid the fare and he and Alexa set off for the main gate.

"Gabriel Boyd- Finnegan." he said. "There should be two passes for me..."

The guard checked his list for the name and then handed Alexa and Gabriel guest passes.

"This is so cool," Alexa breathed. "I mean, all of Trafalgar Square is closed for this!"

An extra walked by them covered in dried blood and Gabriel and Alexa exchanged a look.

"I think that's a great look to go for," Gabriel joked. "Maybe on our next date we should try it."

Alexa giggled. "Dr. Boyd-Finnegan, what do you think was wrong with him?"

"Hmm..." Gabriel pretended to think. "Maybe the gunshot wound in his temple?"

"You're going to have to deal with that on a regular basis," Alexa said squeezing his hand. "I can't stand the sight of my own blood let alone someone else's."

"Wait until I get cadaver duty," Gabriel told her.

Alexa shuddered. "Gabe!"

"Part of the job," he answered, squeezing her hand.

They approached the area where Seamus was filming and could hear him yelling before they even reached him.

"WOULD SOMEONE TELL ME WHERE THE HELL LAURA LANDON IS?" Seamus barked. "IS SHE STILL IN HER TRAILER?"

"Uh oh," Gabriel said. "Dad's in a mood."

"She's in the middle of getting a massage," Taryn told him.

"A MASSAGE?" Seamus erupted. "SHE IS DUE ON SET RIGHT THIS MINUTE!"

"Laura Landon?" Alexa whispered. "Isn't that the American actress? I heard she was a bit of a---"

"She's driving Dad up the wall," Gabriel whispered back. "Apparently she's really hard to work with, but she gets almost everything in two takes or less."

Alexa watched as Seamus' assistant pulled out a mobile phone and instructed the person on the other line that she was due on set now.

"We're all waiting on you, Miss Landon," Taryn said. "No....no, I don't think he's going to want to wait---"

Seamus paced back and forth. "I don't care HOW good an actress she is," he snapped. "If she's not on my set in ten minutes, she's FIRED!"

"I've never seen your dad like this," Alexa whispered to Gabriel. "He's quite scary when he's angry."

"A bit, yeah." Gabriel said. "I'm not sure if I should tell him I'm here or not."

Seamus spotted them in the crowd though and the sour expression on his face turned into a smile.

"Is it safe to come out?" Gabriel asked wryly. "Did the time bomb stop ticking?"

"How much of that did you see?" Seamus asked sheepishly.

"All of it?" Gabriel said innocently.

"We've been waiting for Laura for nearly an hour," Seamus explained.

"Maybe you should just fire her," Gabriel suggested as he pulled the box from his bag. "Compliments of Lex and her mom."

Seamus noticed Alexa standing back. "I'm sorry you had to witness that, Alexa. Thank you for the pastries."

"You're welcome sir," Alexa said. "And it's okay."

Seamus opened the box and grinned. "All my favourites. This definitely makes me feel better."

"Other than your star not being here, how’s it going?" Gabriel asked.

"It's been a long day," Seamus replied leading them over to where he'd been sitting. "This is the last scene of the day and of course Laura is keeping us waiting."

"I'm glad I'm not her," Alexa replied.

"You would never keep anyone waiting like that, Lexie," Gabriel said.

"Seamus, if we're not going to film this---" the lead actor said coming over to him.

Alexa looked up and her jaw dropped. "You're----you're----you're----"

The young man smiled. "Erik Christianson. Nice to meet you."

Alexa blushed and felt a little like how Mimi and Beth used to be when they were around Oliver Wood. "I'm um....my name is....."

"Alexa," Gabriel supplied.

"It's nice to meet you," Erik said shaking her hand.

"And this is my son, Gabe," Seamus said proudly.

"Alright Gabe?" Erik shook his hand.

"I don't think it's me you have to worry about," Gabriel said nudging Alexa.

"Shut it," Alexa said, her face beet red.

"I'm just like anyone else," Erik told her.

"I know," Alexa said, embarrassed. "I um... I'm sorry. I just got a little starstruck."

"Laura's on her way, Seamus," Taryn said.

"About bloody time," Seamus grumbled.

"No kidding," Erik answered. "I'm going to run my lines one more time."

"Would you two like to be in the scene?" Seamus asked them.

"As extras?" Gabriel looked at his girlfriend. "I'm game- what about you Lex?"

Alexa grinned. "Really?"

"Go on over to makeup," Seamus said. "I'll see you back here in twenty."

Gabriel took her hand. "We'd better get a move on."

"Right," Alexa hurried away with him. "Gabe! This is so cool!"

"Just don't forget me when you're rich and famous," Gabriel told her.

"Right," Alexa grinned at him.

They arrived at the makeup trailer and were ushered quickly inside. The scene called for Erik's character to save Laura's after a shootout with the bad guys.

"You two will be bystanders," one of the girls said. "You're going to get shot in the shoulder," she told Gabriel. "And your girlfriend over here gets it in the leg."

"He could save me," Alexa told them. "He's going to be a doctor."

"Seamus mentioned something about that," the other makeup girl replied.

"Louise, you know he's been bragging on the boy," her co-worker said. "All the time. Gabriel this and Gabriel that."

It was Gabriel's turn to blush now.

"He’s very proud of you," Louise told him.

"Thanks," Gabriel said as Louise applied some red goo to his shoulder.

"That looks real," Alexa commented.

"Seamus demands the best," Louise replied with a grin.

"Demands being the key word," Gabriel joked.

"Ten minutes," Taryn poked her head in. "Laura's just arrived."

"The diva herself," Louise muttered.

"Is she really that bad?" Alexa asked.

"She can be," Louise replied. "It helps that she's a good actress. But her attitude..."

"Sucks," Julia finished. "Absolutely sucks."

"But you didn't hear that from us," Louise said winking at Gabriel.

"Mum's the word," Gabriel joked as Louise helped him pull a new shirt on.

"Okay, when you get the cue, you squeeze this," Louise put a little device in his palm. "And it'll make it look like you got shot."

"Cool," Gabriel said. "Thanks."

"You'll do the same thing," Julia told Alexa.

Alexa nodded and thanked the two of them.

"Break a leg," Louise told the couple.

"Thanks," Gabriel said, taking Alexa's hand. "This should be a lot of fun."

"I can't wait to tell Saffy," Alexa said.

"Maybe she and Sean can come back with us before Dad wraps this up," Gabriel answered.

"That'd be great," Alexa said squeezing his hand. They arrived back on the set and Alexa saw Erik standing beside the red-haired Laura. They were receiving last minute instructions from Seamus.

"Now that we're FINALLY ready to get started," Seamus said pointedly. "It's our big shootout scene."

"I hope we can get this in one take," Laura said loftily. "I have a party to get to."

Seamus's hands clenched. "You'd better get this," he said shortly.

Gabriel and Alexa were shown where to stand and what they were supposed to do.

"All right," Seamus sat down. "Ready.... ACTION!"

Laura's character was Simone Wright, an American studying in England. She witnessed a murder and now finds herself under the protection of a young officer from Scotland Yard, played by Erik.

"I just can't shake the feeling that we're being followed," Laura said in character.

Erik glanced nervously around. "We shouldn't be out in public like this. We need to get you someplace more secure--"

Laura nodded and started to follow him when shots rang out.

Gabriel remembered his cue and jerked backwards like he'd really been shot in the shoulder. Beside him, Alexa fell as the fake blood appeared on her leg.

"SIMONE!" Erik yelled. "GET DOWN!"

Gabriel watched the rest of the scene unfold from his place on the ground. He wondered if his father had cast some sort of spell on the pavement as it was quite warm.

"CUT!" Seamus yelled. "That was brilliant!"

Laura rolled her eyes. "I told you it'd be fine."

Seamus bit back a retort. "That's a wrap for today, everyone."

Gabriel extended a hand to his girlfriend. "You're a natural, Lexie."

Alexa giggled. "I'm sure that's going to win the Academy Award."

"It should," Gabriel gave her a kiss.

"For Best Supporting Actress at least," Alexa said.

"You're the best in my book," Gabriel still held her close.

"You're not so bad yourself," Alexa said softly.

"I love you," Gabriel whispered, his lips skimming over hers.

"I love you," Alexa said. "Even when you're all bloody and bruised."

Gabriel laughed and kissed her again.

"Lovebirds," Seamus said. "If you're not too busy, we might need you here tomorrow."

Gabriel pulled away. "Tomorrow?"

"Just in case I'm not happy with the dailies," Seamus told them. "We might have to reshoot."

"I think that means we're required to be back," Gabriel said. "Because Dad demands perfection.”

"If you can make it," Seamus said.

"Of course," Alexa said excitedly.

Seamus smiled at her. "Great. I'll see you both tomorrow. You going back to the flat?"

"Yes," Gabriel replied. "After I see Lexie home."

Seamus nodded. "Behave you two." he joked.

"Thanks again for today," Alexa told him.

"Glad you two wanted to do it," Seamus replied.

"We're just going to get cleaned up," Gabriel told him. "We don't want to take a cab looking like this."

"Is this stuff easy to get off, you think?" Alexa looked down at her leg as they walked back to the trailer.

"Hope so," Gabriel said thoughtfully.

"It's really sticky," Alexa rubbed some between her fingers. "Guess I'm glad I didn't get shot in the head like that one bloke. It'd take forever to get out of my hair."

"Couldn't you just magic it out or something?" Gabriel asked in a low voice.

Alexa laughed. "Maybe..." she took his hand and led him behind the trailer where she drew her wand.

Gabriel grinned. "Do your thing, O'Leary."

"I don't know," Alexa said biting her lower lip to keep from smiling as she cleaned herself up. "I'm not supposed to use magic on Muggles..."

"Even if it is for the greater good?" Gabriel asked.

"Cleaning you up makes for the greater good?" Alexa asked.

"For me," Gabriel nodded. "Yes."

"What'll you give me for it?" Alexa asked huskily.

Gabriel pretended to think. "Hmm....let's see...."

"Maybe you can just stay sticky..." Alexa began.

"How about as many kisses that you want?" Gabriel asked.

"I like where this is going..." Alexa touched his arm.

"So what do you say?" Gabriel grinned at her. "Will you take pity on a wounded man?"

"I suppose I could," Alexa leaned in.

Gabriel kissed her thinking that this day couldn't possibly get any better. Everything seemed to be going right for him---school, his grandparents were getting along with his father and stepmother, and now he had the girl of his dreams. If it did get better than this, Gabriel wasn't sure how that was possible.

197. Chapter 197

We hope you enjoy these few scenes- especially the one where Zander and Brittany surprise Ashley with a holiday visit. And of course… a bit of a cliffie ending there! Review pleeeeeeeeease!

Saffron and Sean returned from ice skating and were currently enjoying hot chocolate and biscuits in the kitchen. Saffron couldn’t believe what a great day she’d had. For the first time in a long time, she hadn’t thought about Andrew or what he was doing.

"I can't believe you laughed at me when I fell," Sean shook his head at her.

"How could I not laugh?" Saffron asked. "You'd just bragged about how you were the best skater in the world."

Sean grinned at her. "Most of the time I am."

"No," Saffron said putting some more biscuits on a plate and bringing them back over to the table. "You're the most arrogant."

Sean clutched his chest comically. "That was harsh, Saf."

"Lucky for you, I like 'em arrogant," Saffron said before popping a biscuit into her mouth.

"Do you now?" he asked, reaching for the mug of hot chocolate in front of him.

"Absolutely," Saffron grinned. "So...did Christina take a break from her exotic dancing to enjoy the holiday with her folks?"

Sean shook his head. "I haven't seen her in a few months now. Mum and Dad told me she headed off for Amsterdam. Bet I could tell you what she's up to there..."

"I still can't believe you're related to her," Saffron said. "You're nice, funny, and warm. She's mean, humourless and cold."

Sean grinned. "Tell me more about myself."

Saffron laughed. "Well, you are very cute and from what I recall, you were a great kisser."

"From what you recall?" Sean asked, moving around the table to sit next to her. "We should remedy that..."

"I was wondering if you were ever going to take the hint," Saffron said softly.

Sean leaned in and pressed his lips to hers.

Saffron looped her arms around his neck kissing him back. He was still as good at this as she remembered.

He ran his fingers through her hair as he pulled her a bit closer, deepening their kiss.

"How was that?" Sean asked when they pulled breathlessly apart.

"Better than I remembered," Saffron said gazing up at him.

"I've wanted to do that for quite some time," he said. "But I wanted to wait until you were ready for me again."

"It's taken me awhile," she nodded. "But I appreciate the fact that you didn't try and push me."

"I'm just glad to see you smiling and having fun again," Sean said.

"Hard to not have fun with you around," Saffron said softly.

"So, if I were to ask you out for New Year's Eve," Sean said. "You'd say..."

"I'd very much like to go out with you New Year's Eve," Saffron agreed.

"Great," Sean said. "Because my dad pulled some strings and I got us reservations for The Ivy." He noticed that the smile on her face fell at this. "Or maybe not..."

"Um... the Ivy sounds nice..." Saffron replied. "I haven't been there since um..."

"Andrew?" Sean guessed.

"Right," Saffron said quietly.

"Well, he has good taste," Sean said attempting a joke.

"It's time to make new memories anyway," Saffron replied. "And having dinner at the Ivy on New Year's Eve is the perfect way to do that."

"Are you sure?" Sean asked. "I can probably get us reservations somewhere else."

Saffron shook her head. "I love the Ivy."

"We're going to have a great time," Sean promised.

Saffron smiled. "Of course we will," she looped her arms around his neck again.

Sean gave her another kiss.

Harry had been in his office going over some paperwork when he’d felt something tugging at his leg. He looked down to see Puddles chewing on his trouser leg.

“I think she’s home, Puddles,” Harry said, but the dog still tugged on his leg.

"What is it little guy?" he asked, getting up.

"We just let you out an hour ago," Harry pointed out. Puddles ran back and forth from the door to Harry.

"All right," Harry grumbled, figuring the dog wanted to go out again.

Harry followed the dog out of the room and down the stairs.

"Come on buddy," he said, leading the dog into the kitchen.

He stopped in the doorway when he saw his daughter snogging Sean. Harry cleared his throat to announce his presence.

Saffron and Sean jumped apart. "Hi Daddy," Saffron flushed guiltily.

"Mister Potter," Sean said with a nervous laugh.

"Hello Sean," Harry nodded. "Alright?"

"Yeah," Sean replied. "I mean, yes sir."

"Daddy, can I get you a hot chocolate?" Saffron asked.

"No thanks," Harry replied. "But I think Puddles wants to go out again."

"I'll take him," Saffron stood up.

"Want some help?" Sean asked.

"How about you and I have a talk first," Harry said to Sean. "You can catch up to her later."

Sean gulped. "O-okay..."

"Daddy," Saffron said folding her arms.

Harry shook his head. "Just a little chat, Saffy."

Puddles looked up at Saffron and she knew that she had no choice. "I'll be just outside. Be nice."

Sean shifted nervously in the chair as Saffron gave him a look before disappearing out the door.

"How were your holidays, Mr. Potter?" Sean asked.

"Fine, thank you." Harry replied. "Can I get you anything else to drink?"

"I-I don't drink," Sean said nervously. "You know nothing alcoholic. I'm more a juice man myself..."

Harry suddenly smiled. "It's okay you know. I'm not really a bad guy. I'm just a father who's very protective of his children."

Sean relaxed. "Sorry, sir. You're just a little intimidating."

"I just want to know that you're going to treat my daughter respectfully," Harry looked at him.

"You have my word, sir," Sean replied.

"Good," Harry replied. "Then I think you and I will get along just fine."

"She's a great girl," Sean said.

"Saffy's definitely one of a kind," Harry said, with pride in his voice.

"I don't know if the world could handle two of her," Sean said with a grin.

"Probably not," Harry answered, looking out the window as Saffron walked her dog down the path.

Saffron looked down at Puddles. "Baby, you need to go so I can get in there and save Sean from the Inquisition."

Puddles barked before turning around in circles.

Saffron laughed. "Okay, I guess you and Dad are in on this together."

It was another few minutes before Puddles did his business and Saffron jogged back to the house with her dog on her heels.

Saffron heard laughter coming from the kitchen.

"Looks like twenty questions is over," she said to Puddles.

"Saffy?" Harry called out.

"Yeah?" she answered.

"Come on in here," Harry said. "You can help me clean up the mess I made when I hexed your boyfriend."

"WHAT?" Saffron shrieked, running full speed into the kitchen.

Harry laughed when he saw the look on her face. "Only joking, sweetheart. He's safe."

"Where did he go?" Saffron asked.

"The loo," Harry said. "How's Puddles?"

"Fine," Saffron answered. "Daddy you weren't mean to him were you?"

"Absolutely not," Harry told her.

"Promise?" Saffron asked.

"Promise," Harry said giving her a hug. "How was ice skating?"

"It was fun," Saffron answered. "Guess what- Sean's taking me to the Ivy on New Year's Eve."

Harry looked at her. "You know your curfew is 11 p.m."

"Daddy," Saffron looked at him pleadingly. "It's New Year's Eve!"

"Well," Harry pretended to think it over.

"Come on, please?" Saffron begged.

"You can stay out until one," Harry said. "That's final."

Saffron wanted to argue but saw the look on her father's face. "Can we come back here afterwards?"

"Sure," Harry said as Sean came back into the kitchen.

"Hey," Saffron smiled at him. "Want to go watch a movie or something?"

"Sure," Sean replied. "If that's okay with your father."

"Of course it's fine," Saffron said. "Right Daddy?"

"It's okay with me," Harry said. "But you'd better take Puddles with you."

"That's fine," Saffron said, taking Sean's hand. "Come on Puddles!"

Harry smiled as he watched his daughter and Sean head off for the sitting room. He would check on them a little later. For now, he was going to see what his wife was up to. Hermione had taken two weeks off for the holiday but she was still in constant contact with her office.

She’d holed herself up in her office for most of the afternoon.

“Minister Potter?” Harry asked, knocking on the door.

Hermione looked up. "Is something wrong?"

"Yes," Harry said pulling a serious face. "Something really terrible."

Hermione was startled. "Is it Saffy?"

Harry shook his head. "No."

"Harry--" Hermione rose from her desk.

"You have neglected your husband all afternoon," Harry said, cutting her off.

Hermione rolled her eyes. "Harry, I do have duties to attend to."

"Aren't you finished yet?" Harry asked.

"Almost," Hermione answered.

"Almost?" Harry asked putting his hands on her waist.

She felt herself soften. "Maybe I can finish up later..."

"Procrastination," Harry said. "One of the things I've tried to teach you over the years."

Hermione shook her head. "You're a terrible influence you know."

"Me?" Harry asked innocently.

"Mmmhmm..." Hermione leaned in and planted a lazy kiss on his lips.

"I love you, you know," Harry said.

"I love you too," Hermione answered as he pulled her close.

"I was actually working myself when that dog started chewing my leg," Harry told her.

"Where is he now?" Hermione asked.

"In the sitting room with Saffy and Sean watching a movie," Harry replied.

"She fancies Sean quite a bit," Hermione said. "I'm happy she's moved on."

"She's talked to you about him then?" Harry asked.

"A bit," Hermione nodded.

"Why is it that girls never talk about the blokes they fancy with their fathers?" Harry asked.

"Because it's a girl thing," Hermione told him. "I never talked about blokes with my dad either."

"I guess it evens out," Harry said thoughtfully. "Ethan never talked to you about---"

"He talked to me about Maddie quite often," Hermione said thoughtfully. "Sometimes about Bree too, when he was with her."

Harry gaped at her. "So---I guess that they all talk to you and I just get Ethan."

Hermione laughed. "Don't take it so personally, Harry."

"You're easier to talk to, I suppose," Harry said.

"You're supposed to be the scary one," Hermione teased him gently.

"Not to my own children," Harry pointed out.

"Come on Harry." Hermione reassured him. "You know Julie, Ethan and Saffy think the world of you."

"They just don't want to talk to me," Harry said dryly.

"They talk to you," Hermione said. "But Saffy's not going to divulge the details of her dating life to you."

"I probably don't want to know," Harry said. "Do I?"

"Maybe not," Hermione kissed him again.

"And I must admit I'm glad you didn't tell your father about what we used to do," Harry said grinning down at her.

Hermione laughed. "That would be quite shameful, wouldn't it?"

"He would have killed me," Harry said tickling her side.

She swatted his hand away. "He liked you once he saw how happy you make me."

"I liked him too," Harry said. "Once he stopped looking at me like he was plotting ways to murder me."

"I wish Mum had somewhat gotten over his death," Hermione said wistfully. "It's been so hard on her."

"She lost the love of her life," Harry said. "I don't think that's something you could ever get over that."

"I don't think I ever could," Hermione said meaningfully.

"I'm not going anywhere," Harry said cupping her face.

"I know," Hermione said softly.

"And I don't think you're going anywhere," Harry said resting his forehead on hers.

"Never," Hermione put her arms around his neck.

He gave her a lingering kiss.

"I am definitely off duty the rest of the afternoon," Hermione murmured.

Harry grinned. "Hmm...I wonder what we could do with our time?"

"I can think of a thing or two," Hermione kissed under his chin.

"Let's go the bedroom," Harry said his eyes darkening.

"Right now," Hermione nodded.

Harry took her hand. "I like the way you think."

Hermione pouted. "You're not going to carry me?"

"I don't have to carry you EVERY time, do I?" Harry said grinning at her.

"Yes," she poked his shoulder.

"Okay," Harry said. "Would you prefer I carry you over my shoulder like a caveman or do you prefer the romantic carry in the arms?"

"What do you think?" Hermione asked.

"Caveman," Harry said hoisting her over his shoulders.

"HARRY!" she shrieked.

"You left it up to me," he pointed out smacking her on her bottom.

"You're horrible," Hermione said, reaching for his behind to squeeze.

"You like it," Harry said carrying her out of the office.

"Maybe," she answered.

Harry laughed. "Just maybe?"

"I love everything about you Potter," Hermione replied.

"I'll remind you about that the next time I leave a wet towel on the floor," Harry said. "Or I leave the seat up..."

Hermione laughed as he set her down and closed their bedroom door behind them. "Okay, maybe not everything..."

"I do know one thing you'll love," Harry said grinning down at her.

"What's that?" she asked, her voice lowering.

"I think I'll show you," Harry said forgetting about his teenage daughter downstairs and what she might be up to with Sean.

"Please do..." she said, backing up towards the bed.

"Let's get you out of those clothes, Hermione," Harry said his eyes darkening.

"By all means," she raised her arms so he could take her shirt off.

"And you wanted to work," Harry said lifting the shirt over her head.

"What was I thinking?" she asked.

Harry kissed her. "That's why you have me. To remind you that there's a time for work and there's a time for play."

"Well right now," Hermione undid her skirt and let it fall. "It is the best time for playing..."

Downstairs, Saffron slid closer to Sean on the sofa. Sean slid over in the other direction.

"You don't want to sit beside me?" Saffron asked.

"Of course that's not it," Sean told her. "It's just...your father could come back in here at any moment and I love breathing. It's one of my favourite things to do. I'd like to continue doing that for a few more years at least."

Saffron shook her head. "Come on... he's probably gone back to work and he'll be busy for hours."

"Didn't you tell me he had something called an Invisibility Cloak?" Sean asked her. "For all we know, he could be sitting in the corner just waiting to strike."

"Well let's give it a try," she said devilishly, pouncing on him before he could pull away again.

"Saffy!" Sean exclaimed.

"It's fine," Saffron said exasperatedly.

Sean looked at her. He really did want to kiss her again, but her father was scary, and that was putting it mildly. But then again, if it was his time to go, he'd go with a smile on his face.

"Okay," he said. "But if we get caught, I'm telling him that you pounced on me and I was trying to fend you off."

Saffron giggled. "That's a deal."

Sean wrapped his arms around her and kissed her.

"Mmmmm..." Saffron purred.

"I missed this," Sean whispered. "Being with you like this."

"I did too," Saffron answered. "I always liked you Sean. You were my first real boyfriend."

"I never stopped liking you," he told her. "Last summer when you were still with Andrew, it killed me to see you with him. I didn't say anything because I knew you were happy."

"I'm sorry," she said softly.

"You don't have to apologise," he said to her. "I was the one who screwed things up for you with Andrew. If I'd kept my mouth shut around RJ's girlfriend..."

"You didn't know," Saffron said. "I don't blame you for a minute, Sean. And... that would have eventually happened with Andrew anyways."

"You don't know that," Sean said quietly.

"I don't want to talk about Andrew," Saffron changed the subject. "We're here... and we're together Sean. Let's have it be about us."

"I couldn't agree more," Sean said giving her another kiss. "All I want is for you to be happy."

"You make me happy," Saffron kept her lips pressed to his.

Sean smiled. "You make me happy too."

"Enough talking," Saffron put her arms around him.

"Enough talking," Sean echoed laying down with her on the sofa. The movie was playing in the background, but both of them ignored it.

Saffron felt truly happy for the first time since that summer. Sean was sweet, cute and obviously cared about her a lot. She felt certain that he was going to be the one to move her on from Andrew.

*** *** ***

While Ashley was enjoying spending time with her family during the holidays, she couldn’t help feeling a little left out. Saffron was busy with Sean and Katie had already had two sleepovers with the members of her princess club. Ashley couldn’t help feeling a little wistful wishing there was someone her own age around.

On the bright side, she had worked hard on her artwork and had filled her sketchbook with drawings.

That afternoon after lunch, she was sitting in the kitchen drawing while her mother worked on some lesson plans for the next term.

“After this one,” Ashley announced looking thoughtfully at the sketch she’d worked on all morning. “I’m through drawing landscapes for awhile.”

"Oh?" Julie asked. "What are you going to try next?"

"I read that book grandma gave me on sculpture," Ashley said. "I was thinking I might try my hand at that."

"Sculpture?" Julie asked in surprise.

Ashley nodded. "Just to try something different, Mum."

Julie smiled at her daughter. "I don't know if we've got any clay, sweetheart. But I bet we can make some up."

Ashley grinned. "Thanks."

Julie abandoned her lesson plans. "Let's see," she said, opening up a few cabinets.

Ashley closed her sketchbook and walked over to help her mother. "Do we have anything?"

"I think we can make do," Julie pulled a few boxes down. "Let's give this a try, sweetheart."

From the sitting room, they heard shrieks and laughter. The Princess Club was apparently having a good time.

"Are you sure you don't want to go in there?" Julie smoothed back a wisp of Ashley's long blonde hair.

Ashley nodded. "I'm fine in here with you."

Julie smiled. "If you're sure..."

Ashley helped her mother make some clay out of flour, water and salt. There was a knock on the door and Julie looked at her daughter. "Can you get that for me, sweetheart?"

"Sure," Ashley rinsed her hands off and went to the door. Pulling it open, she gasped. "What are you guys doing here?"

Zander and Brittany grinned at her. "We just returned home a couple of days ago," Brittany said giving her a hug. "We called your mum and asked if we could stop by."

"I missed you two," Ashley hugged her two best friends. "How was skiing?"

"Fun," Zander said. "Well, for those of us who didn't stick to the bunny trail..."

Brittany nudged her cousin. "And for those of us who didn't wipe out on a trail much too steep for us..."

Ashley stood back so they could come inside. She looked at Zander with concern. "You didn't get hurt, did you?"

"A little," Zander replied. "Banged up my elbow and knees."

"Maybe someone could kiss it and make it better," Brittany teased with a meaningful look in Ashley's direction.

Zander glared at her. "Funny, Brit."

Ashley didn't notice the look. "Come on with me you two," she said. "My mum and I were going to do some sculpture."

"That sounds like fun," Brittany said.

"We made a lot of clay," Ashley replied. "You two can make something too if you want."

Zander laughed. "I don't know, Ash. Last time I made something with clay, it was an ashtray that didn't turn out very well and of course, no one in my family smoked so it just sat on our coffee table for months and everyone asked what it was."

Ashley laughed. "I'll give you some tips. And it's my first time doing it too."

"Cool," Zander said.

Julie smiled warmly at her daughters' friends. "Hello, you guys. You're just in time."

"Hi Professor Malfoy," Brittany answered. "Thanks for letting us come over today."

"I'm glad you both could make it," Julie said just as Katie came into the room.

"Mummy we're hungry," Katie said. "Can we have some tea?"

"Sure," Julie replied. "These are your sister's good friends, Brittany and Zander."

"Hi," Katie replied, giving them a quick once over.

Emma came into the room wearing a tiara and a princess dress.

"Oh!" Brittany squealed. "How adorable is she!"

"Hi!" Emma grinned at her. "Em's a princess!" she twirled in her dress.

Zander leaned over and nudged Ashley. "I'm having flashbacks of Brit. She was the same way when we were kids."

Brittany glared at him. "Yeah and you wore my dresses too."

"I didn't!" Zander said defensively.

Ashley giggled. "Sure you didn't Zander."

Katie looked at her mother. "Can we have some tea and biscuits, Mummy? Please?"

"I'll bring them in, Katie." Julie said. "You girls go finish your movie."

"Come on, Em," Katie said taking Emma's hand.

"Bye!" Emma waved to them.

"Why don't you show your friends around the house while I make the tea?" Julie told her daughter.

"Okay," Ashley agreed. "Then we can start sculpting."

Ashley led her friends downstairs to her father's studio. He wasn't home today because he was doing some public relations thing with his record company.

"We can't touch any of the recording equipment in here," she said. "But this is where my dad writes all his music."

Brittany grinned. "This is so cool, Ash."

"Sometimes me and Katie sit down here and he plays for us," Ashley told them.

Zander looked around at the assorted instruments and recording equipment.

"I used to play the piano," Brittany said. "When I was like seven years old..."

"You gave it up?" Ashley asked.

Brittany shrugged. "I didn't like it so much. But Zander stuck with it and he's pretty good."

"I'm not that good," Zander said shaking his head. "Really..."

"Play something for us," Ashley said. "You can use the piano, it's okay."

Zander sat down. "I don't know what to play."

"Something classical?" Ashley suggested.

Zander thought for a moment and then began to play.

Ashley was incredibly impressed. Zander was almost as good as her father!

"Told you," Brittany whispered to Ashley.

"He's amazing," Ashley whispered back. "I had no idea!"

"He doesn't tell everyone," Brittany confided. "He's been at it since he was five."

Ashley was seeing her friend in a whole new light. She had no idea he was this creative.

Zander finished the piece and looked over at them.

"That was fantastic!" Ashley beamed at him. "Zander you're so good!"

Zander's cheeks reddened at her praise. "Not as good as you with your art."

"Yes you are," Ashley said loyally. "It's just a different type of art."

"Thanks," Zander said beaming at her.

Brittany smirked knowingly. "Let's see the rest of your place, Ash."

"Okay," Ashley said. "Come on."

She showed her friends around, poking their heads in on the princess meeting. Ashley introduced them to her cousins and the rest of the group, then showed them the upstairs. "And this is my room," she pushed open the door.

Brittany smiled. "I love it, Ashley."

Zander grinned, too. "It looks like an art studio."

Ashley grinned back. She had plastered her walls with pictures she had drawn, and there were stacks of art books and art supplies covering almost every surface. "Thanks."

"You should see Brit's bedroom," Zander told Ashley. "Way too much pink."

Brittany stuck her tongue out at Zander. "Shut up!"

"Katie's bedroom is like that," Ashley said. "Always has been. She likes anything pink and sparkly."

"What's this princess club about?" Brittany asked.

Ashley sat down on her bed. "Well, my cousins came up with it since they like the Disney movies. Like Emma's Ariel from The Little Mermaid and Caroline is Jasmine from Aladdin. They have these meetings and they play dress up and stuff."

"Sounds like something you'd like, Brit," Zander joked.

Brittany punched his shoulder. "You're being mean today!"

"What?" Zander asked rubbing his shoulder. "It does sound like something that would be right up your alley. Ash, when we were kids she always used to make me play that rubbish with her since we were the only ones around the same age."

"You mean you did dress up after all?" Ashley teased.

"Completely against my will," Zander said blushing.

"Yeah, yeah," Brittany said. "Hey, Ash? Can I use your loo?"

"Sure," Ashley directed her to it. "We'll wait for you downstairs."

"Promise you'll never tell anyone about what Brit told you," Zander said to Ashley.

Ashley giggled. "It's our secret, I promise."

"So how was your Christmas?" Zander asked her. "Did you get everything you wanted?"

"Pretty much," Ashley nodded. "You?"

"Yeah," Zander replied. "Thanks so much for that album. It's much better to keep my cards in there instead of in that box."

"I'm glad you liked it," Ashley said shyly.

"If it hadn't been for you, I'd have never kept those cards," Zander said.

"You shouldn't have had to get rid of them just for me either," Ashley fidgeted. "I'm glad Sam was happy with those autographs instead."

"He has them framed by his bed," Zander told her. "And I'd have given anything for you and me to be partners."

Ashley blushed. "Thanks Zander."

"I mean since you and I work so well together," Zander said quickly.

"Right," she nodded. "Of course."

Zander followed her into the kitchen and saw the members of the Princess Club huddled around the table drinking tea and eating biscuits.

"Save us some of those," Ashley said.

Caroline whispered something to Katie who giggled and then looked at Zander.

"What?" Ashley asked her little sister.

"Since he's the only boy," Katie said grinning at her big sister. "We think he can be Prince Charming."

Brittany laughed. "I think that's totally perfect."

Ashley looked at her friend. "You don't have to do that, Zander. Really."

Zander's face was quite red. "Um..."

"You don't have to be Prince Charming," Mia said. "You could be Prince Eric or Aladdin."

"Or the Beast," Brittany said dryly.

"Zander, Brit and I are going to do some sculpture," Ashley said, rescuing her friend.

"Thank you," Zander whispered to Ashley.

"Be prince another time?" Emma asked him.

Zander looked at the little redhead. "Next time, definitely."

Emma ran over and gave him a hug. "You can be Eric!"

"She's going to hold you to that," Julie said to him.

Zander smiled. "I'll have to get myself ready then, won't I?"

Emma beamed up at him.

"She is the cutest thing ever," Brittany gushed.

"I know," Emma twirled around happily.

"Em," Hannah giggled. "Come eat your biscuits before I do!"

"No, Han!" Emma squealed.

"No one can eat more than Emma," Ashley snagged them some biscuits.

"Except for Aunt Maddie and Grandpa," Caroline chimed in.

"You have a big family," Brittany commented.

"I might need notes to keep up with them all," Zander said sitting down at the counter with them.

"Nah, it's not that hard," Ashley replied. "You get used to everyone pretty quick."

"So what are we going to make?" Brittany asked.

"Whatever we want," Ashley said. "My mum put the clay in the basement. Half of it is my art studio, and the other half is Katie's dress up place."

"Let's go," Brittany said. "I'm feeling very creative."

"Me too," Ashley agreed, taking them downstairs.

A few minutes later, they were sitting at a table each playing with their own mound of clay. Ashley looked at Zander. "I really loved hearing you play the piano, Zander. It was amazing."

"Thanks," Zander said. "I practise for three hours a day when I'm at home."

"I wish you'd have told me," Ashley said softly.

"It sort of never came up," Zander said, a bit embarrassed.

"Do you want to continue with it as a career?" Ashley asked.

"I don't know yet," Zander answered, poking at his clay.

"I think you could," Ashley said. "You're really quite good, Zander."

"Maybe," Zander turned red at her praise. "But maybe I'll go on to play Quidditch."

"Whatever you do, I'll be there cheering you on," Ashley said reaching for some more clay.

Brittany laughed. "And I'll be the odd one out."

"What do you want to do when you get out of school?" Ashley asked her friend.

"I have no idea," Brittany replied. "I have six and a half more years to figure that out."

"I've always wanted to be an artist," Ashley said. "Even when I was little. I just knew it was something I wanted to do. I just love drawing and sketching and painting and even though I've just started this, I like sculpting."

"I like it too," Brittany nodded.

Ashley smiled at her friends. She still couldn't believe she actually had friends and they were here. It was nice to have people her own age to talk to and to listen to and to try new things. She didn't know what the next few years held for the three of them, but she hoped that they'd always be this close.

*** *** ***

Saffron was up the morning of their Quidditch match against Ravenclaw going over plays in her book. She wanted to make sure their undefeated record stayed in place, and Ravenclaw's team was quite good this year.

"You know you're not going to play well if you don't eat," Alexa cut into her thoughts. "Come on Saffy, just have some toast, or some oatmeal, or something."

Saffron reluctantly set aside her notes and grabbed a couple of slices of toast. "You're right."

"Mark the date and time," Alexa said grinning at her. "You actually admitted someone other than you was right about something."

Saffron stuck her tongue out. "Don't let it go to your head, Lexie."

"You guys are going to win," Jake said from his place beside Mimi. "There's no way you couldn't. Ravenclaw's good, but you guys are much better at Seeker."

"I know that," Saffron answered.

She took a bite of her toast and tried to get her mind off of the match at least for a couple of minutes.

"I just wish it wasn't snowing," Mimi commented. "I hate flying when it's so cold."

"You won't notice it when you're keeping the Quaffle from going in," Saffron told her.

"Right," Mimi said leaning against Jake.

The headmaster stood up and quieted the crowd. "Good morning, students."

The entire student body turned to look at Professor Wood.

"In a couple of hour’s time, Ravenclaw and Gryffindor will start their Quidditch match," Oliver stated. "We wish the members of both teams good luck in the match and I trust that all of you will play fair."

"He should be saying it to those jerks in Slytherin," Saffron muttered.

"They don't know the meaning of the word fair," Alexa whispered back.

"I have a special announcement for you all," Oliver continued. "We are very fortunate to have four current members of the top four Quidditch teams visiting the school today."

Excited chatter filled the room as everyone wondered who the players would be.

"Former Hufflepuff Seeker Amanda Stanton is here representing the Montrose Magpies," Oliver announced as a tall blonde girl came into the Great Hall.

There was some polite applause as Amanda headed up to the front of the room.

"And we have Andrew Kirke from the Wimbourne Wasps," Oliver continued. The applause for Andrew was quite raucous and Saffron sank down in her seat as her ex boyfriend walked towards the front.

"The current champion; Puddlemere United are represented by RJ Weasley," Oliver announced and RJ strode into the Great Hall waving at some of his old friends.

"Great," Saffron muttered. "If Christina Grant walks in behind them that will make my day."

"Saffy," Alexa nudged her.

"And last but certainly not least," Oliver concluded. "We have Jeremiah Flint from the Falmouth Falcons.

"I trust you all will make them feel welcome," Oliver said.

Andrew caught Saffron's eye and she quickly looked away.

Seeing him again affected her- which she thought wouldn't happen.

She hoped the four guests would stay up at the staff table but to her horror, RJ and Andrew seemed to be heading in the direction of the Gryffindor table.

"RJ, Andrew," Jake said standing up and clapping his old friends on the back. "Great to see you guys!"

"I'm going outside to the pitch," Saffron whispered frantically.

"Saffy," Andrew said looking uncertainly at her.

198. Chapter 198 Hell Freezes Over

Authors’ note: Something that you’ve all been waiting for happens in this chapter…that’s all we can say.

Saffron bit her lower lip. "Hi..." she said quietly.

"How are you?" Andrew asked, trying not to notice that every eye at the Gryffindor table seemed to be trained on the two of them.

"Fine," Saffron said. "Just... prepping for the game."

"She's not working you lot too hard like I did, is she?" RJ asked Imelda.

"Worse," Imelda said with a good natured grin. "But she's a great captain."

"Oh. My. God," Brittany said nudging Ashley. "Andrew Kirke is absolutely gorgeous! You see pictures of him but they don't exactly do him justice."

"I know," Ashley blushed. "He's really nice, too." she didn't mention her crush on the older boy, but she probably didn't need to. Her face was red as a tomato.

Zander rolled his eyes. "I really need to get more blokes as friends..."

"You'd be bored without us," Brittany replied loftily.

Zander handed his cousin a napkin. "Here...you need to wipe the drool from your chin."

Brittany balled it up and threw it at him. "You're just jealous."

Zander looked over at Ashley who seemed to be as enthralled with Andrew as Brittany. Little did he know that Ashley was more worried about her aunt. She knew this couldn't be easy for her.

Saffron looked up at Andrew. He'd changed since she last saw him. His hair was shorter and he looked as if he hadn't shaved in a couple of days. "How---how long are you going to be here?" she asked him.

"Just for the game," he answered. "How do you like being captain?"

"I like it fine," Saffron said. "Look, I really should---"

Andrew nodded before she could finish. He hated how awkward things were between them, but at least she was speaking to him. "It was good to see you, Saffy."

"Yeah," Saffron said wanting to get out of the Great Hall as fast as she could. Alexa got up to follow her, but Saffron shook her head. She wanted to be alone.

"That went about as well as expected," Andrew said taking a seat.

"I'm sorry," Alexa apologised. "She just wasn't expecting to see you guys here."

"Not your fault," RJ reassured her. He smiled at his ex-girlfriend. "How are you, Lexie?"

"Good," Alexa smiled back. "Things have been going really well for me. You?"

"Really well," RJ replied. "Um, how are things with you and Boyd."

"Gabe's great," Alexa replied. "He was over here for all of Christmas hols."

RJ didn't think he would ever get used to seeing his first love with another bloke, but he didn't feel any jealousy. Besides, he had Audrey now and he was happy.

"That's great," RJ said grabbing a plate and stacking it with waffles and sausage.

"I see some things haven't changed," Alexa teased.

"You can't improve upon perfection you know," he grinned back at her. "You look good, Lexie. I'm glad Boyd is making you happy."

"He is," Alexa said. "And I'm happy for you and Audrey. I'm glad that she gave you a second chance."

"Thanks," RJ said. "It's funny- a year ago we could hardly speak to each other. Now we're... I guess you could say we're sort of friends again."

"It's nice," Alexa said. "I mean, we did go through quite a bit together."

"We sure did," RJ agreed, reaching for more waffles.

Andrew watched the easy way that Alexa and RJ were interacting with each other and he wondered if he and Saffron would ever be like that again.

Ashley excused herself from her friends and headed out for the pitch to check on her aunt. She found Saffron in the changing rooms, looking lost in thought as she sat on one of the benches. "Aunt Saffy?"

Saffron jumped. "Hey, Ash."

"I didn't mean to startle you," Ashley said. "I saw you hurry out and I just wanted to make sure you were okay."

"I'm fine," Saffron replied. "It's just a bit weird seeing Andrew again."

Ashley remembered the last time her aunt had seen Andrew at the ice cream parlour during the summer. Things hadn't gone too well that day, to say the least.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Ashley asked, not really sure what to say.

Saffron shrugged. "It's all right. I appreciate you coming down here, but there's really not much to say about things."

Ashley smiled. "It's not like I'd be the voice of experience anyway. I've never even dated anyone. In fact, my dad says that I'm not allowed to date until he's 100 years old."

Saffron grinned. "My dad used to say that too."

"Mum said that Grandpa once followed her on a date," Ashley said giggling. "He never did that to you, did he?"

"He almost followed her," Saffron said with a laugh. "And no, he never followed me. If he did, I hope I never find out about it."

"I think my dad's going to have more trouble with Katie than me anyway," Ashley said. "I'm not really thinking about boys or anything like that right now. I'm worried about my art."

"Smart girl," Saffron hugged her niece. "I love having you here Ash."

"I love being here," Ashley said smiling at Saffron. "I know I wouldn't have made it without you here."

"You would too," Saffron said. "You made friends without my help."

"But I didn't know anyone when I first got here," Ashley pointed out. "Just you and Alexa. And I've always looked up to you, Aunt Saffy. When you wanted to hang out with me, I just couldn't believe it."

"You're a great girl, Ash." Saffron told her niece as she put her Quidditch robes on. "It was only a matter of time before everyone else realised it too."

Ashley beamed at her aunt. "It runs in our family."

Saffron laughed. "That it does."

"I guess I should head back," Ashley said. "I was going to watch the match with Brit and Zander. You sure you're okay?"

"Better now," Saffron smiled at her. "Thanks for coming down."

"Good luck today," Ashley told her.

"Thanks," Saffron replied. "You have fun watching with your friends."

Once she was alone, Saffron started to think about Andrew again. Why did he have to come here today? Surely Wimbourne could have sent someone else!

Although, it seemed after last year, Andrew was one of their better players, and he HAD gone to school here.

She resolved to not think about him today. This was a big match and despite what she felt toward him and RJ, she wanted to impress them. They could get word back to the scouts and she had to play her best.

"It's like another game," Saffron coached herself as her team mates began to arrive. "Like any other practise."

"It's still snowing," Mimi complained.

"You'll do fine in the snow," Imelda replied. "It's not that bad, Meems."

"Right," Mimi said. "I'm trying to keep telling myself that. That and that I want to fly well and impress those four players. I know I've just started, but it might be nice to play professionally."

Saffron smiled at her friend. "I bet your future stepfather could put in a good word," she teased.

Mimi blushed. "Saffy!"

"What?" Saffron asked innocently.

"You are too much," Mimi said shaking her head.

Outside, the stands were starting to fill with students and spectators. RJ and Andrew decided to watch the match from the Gryffindor stands and were currently settled in with the seventh year students.

"Mimi is my best friend and I love Saffy like a sister, but it's too cold out here!" Beth complained. "I'm only going to stay for about 30 minutes."

"Oh come on," Jake said. "Peter's gone to get a blanket, and you can sit under that with him and then you won't complain."

"She'd probably find something else to complain about," Alexa said sharing a grin with Jake.

Beth glared at Alexa. "Very funny."

"You still crushing on the Headmaster, Beth?" RJ teased.

Beth shook her head. "No and I'd appreciate it if you didn't say anything about that in front of Peter."

"Old Petey?" RJ asked. "The same one that used to go out with Saffron?"

"Yes," Beth said. "And he's changed."

"Good for him," RJ replied.

"So you're over Ollie then?" Andrew joked.

"Yes," Beth said firmly. "But, he is gorgeous. I mean, he's my parents' age, but he's still dreamy. I can't imagine what he was like when he was younger---oh, wait. I can. Saffy's boyfriend looks just like him when he was younger. It's uncanny."

Andrew's smile dropped. "Her boyfriend?"

Beth nodded. "You didn't know?"

Alexa shot her friend a look but Beth didn't catch it.

"They've been going out since Christmas," Beth continued. "She has this really cute picture of the two of them by her bed. They really make a cute couple."

"Oh," Andrew looked back out at the pitch. "Well... I'm glad she's happy."

"What about you, mate?" Jake asked. "Every time I open the papers, you seem to be out with another hot girl."

Andrew shrugged. "They make more of it than it is."

"McDreamy," Jake said rolling his eyes.

"I hate that name," Andrew turned red.

"Don't let him fool you," RJ said grinning at Alexa. "He loves it."

"Just as you would," Alexa returned jokingly.

"I was thinking of McSteamy for myself," RJ said winking at her.

"You wish," Alexa retorted with a grin.

"Ravenclaw is taking the field," Jake told them. "Look."

"Boo!" RJ hollered. "GO GRYFFINDOR!"

"Way to be objective," Alexa told him. "You do realise that you're scouting players on their team, too?"

RJ shrugged. "I guess so."

The Gryffindor team took to the sky next and Andrew watched Saffron fly past the stands.

"Saffy's done so well this year," Alexa told him. "She's tough, but a great captain."

Andrew nodded. "I've never seen anyone who loved the game as much as she does."

"She's still bound and determined to play for Puddlemere," Alexa said, waving at Ashley and her friends as they huddled together nearby.

"Our coach has heard great things about her," RJ said. "She's definitely in their top five list of recruits."

"Really?" Alexa asked excitedly. "She'll be over the moon when she hears that!"

"If she plays for us, she will have to talk to me at some point," RJ said. "I just wonder if she can do that."

"She's cooled down about you," Alexa said, wrapping her blanket tighter around her.

"So instead of hating me, we've improved to dislike immensely?" RJ asked dryly.

Alexa laughed. "She doesn't really talk about you at all, honestly. But I don't know, when she does, her words aren't quite dripping with malice anymore."

RJ didn't think he and Saffron could ever be friends like they were before, but maybe there was a chance for them to be civil.

"It's starting," Jake told them. "GO GRYFFINDOR! GO MIMI!"

"GO MEEMS!" Beth hollered as Peter finally rejoined them.

Seeing the Snitch in the snow was going to be hard, but there was no way Saffron was going to let the Ravenclaw seeker get to it before she did.

She pulled her goggles down over her face and concentrated on finding the tiny golden ball.

Gryffindor took an early lead scoring two easy goals thanks to Jack Logan and Aaron Reynolds.

"WAY TO GO GUYS!" RJ screamed.

Mimi's teeth were chattering, but she forgot about how cold she was when she deflected two attempts by the Ravenclaw team to score. She pumped her fist in triumph.

"That's my girl," Jake said in pride. "She got some pointers from Oliver Wood this summer," he told RJ.

"I still can't believe Mimi is actually playing," RJ told him. "But she's really quite good."

"She definitely is," Jake nodded. "But no one beats Saffy up there."

RJ couldn't have agreed more. He hadn't seen Saffron play in quite some time, but he could tell just by watching her that she was focused and determined and seemed to know what each member of her team was doing. It took a gifted player to be able to do that.

He wished her attitude towards him had changed, but he swore he wouldn't say anything to his coach to ruin her chances for the team. She would be a definite asset.

Saffron flew a little higher so she could get a better vantage point. There was still no sign of the Snitch.

"Come on," she muttered to herself. The snow was starting to fly faster and she knew it was going to be even more difficult to find the snitch if it kept up.

A half an hour later, there was still no sign of the snitch, but Gryffindor was still leading the match, 70-40.

Ashley shivered underneath her blanket. It really was freezing and she couldn't wait to get back inside in front of the fire. Zander took out his wand and tapped her half of the blanket muttering a quick spell. Instantly, she felt warmer.

"Thanks," she said gratefully. "I didn't think it would be this cold."

"It's no problem," Zander said grinning at her.

"I really hope my aunt finds the snitch soon," Ashley scooted a little closer to him.

Zander couldn't help but smile at her movement. From behind them, Brittany watched this and could only shake her head.

"I'm sure she will," Zander said. "She's really good. Just like your grandfather."

"She is," Ashley said.

Saffron flew a little lower and when she did, something gold whizzed past her. There it was!

She took off towards it like a rocket. The Ravenclaw seeker tried to get on her tail, but it was near impossible.

"COME ON, SAFFY!" Andrew yelled.

"Just a little closer," Saffron muttered, stretching her arm as far as it would go.

The Ravenclaw seeker bumped into the back of Saffron's broom just as she got her hands around the snitch.

Her body slipped to the side and she clutched onto the broomstick as the wind pushed her off.

Alexa gasped as her friend tried to steady herself and keep hold of the snitch all at the same time.

Andrew clutched onto the railing. "COME ON SAFFY!" he shouted. “GET BACK UP ON THERE!” his knuckles were white from gripping the railing so hard.

"Please don't fall," Alexa whispered.

Ashley was covering her eyes. "Is she okay?" she asked Zander.

Saffron struggled to keep a hold of the snitch with one hand and pull herself back up onto her broom with her other. With a loud, aching groan, she managed to climb back onto her broomstick.

"She's fine!" Zander told her. "Ash, she caught it! WE WON!"

Ashley pulled her hands away from her eyes, but they were still shaking.

"SHE IS AWESOME!" Jake exclaimed, pumping his fist.

Andrew sank back into his seat with relief.

"She's definitely good," RJ was watching Saffron as she flew down to the field.

"I'm going to go down," Alexa said looking at the two boys. "Are you coming?”

"I am," RJ said. "Whether or not she hates my guts, I want to tell her Puddlemere is after her."

Andrew hesitated for just a few moments. He didn't know if seeing him would be what Saffron wanted, but he did want to congratulate her on a great match.

Ashley followed the three of them out onto the field. She also wanted to make sure her aunt was okay.

"Please, please..." Brittany was at her side. "Introduce me to Andrew Kirke. I just want to shake his hand."

Zander rolled his eyes. "Brit..."

"Shut up Zander," Brittany hissed. "Please Ash?"

"I'll see," Ashley said right now more concerned with how Saffron was.

"I'm sure she's okay," Zander reassured her.

"I just want to talk to her really quick," Ashley hurried ahead of her friends.

Brittany looked at her cousin. "Before you lecture me for crushing on Andrew Kirke, you should have seen yourself cuddling with Ashley under the blanket."

Zander turned red. "I was not cuddling."

"Oh, please!" Brittany laughed. "You were soooooo cuddling."

"She was cold," Zander glared at her. "And Ash is my friend okay?"

"Whatever you say," Brittany said grinning at her cousin.

Zander wished Brittany would just shut up about it. He and Ashley were friends. She was cold during the match, so he'd shared his blanket with her. That was all.

Ashley had reached her aunt, who was surrounded by the team. "Aunt Saffy are you okay?" she asked anxiously.

"I'm a little shaken up, but other than that I'm okay," Saffron reassured her. She gave her niece a hug. "You were worried about me, weren't you?"

"I could hardly watch," Ashley confessed.

"You sound like my mum," Saffron said mussing her hair. "The important thing is that we won!"

"Great match, Saffron," RJ said coming up with Alexa and Andrew.

"Thanks," Saffron replied cordially.

"Puddlemere is definitely going to hear about your performance today," RJ said.

"They are?" Saffron turned to face him. "You.... you're going to tell them about me?"

"Are you kidding me?" RJ asked her. "Saf---you were amazing out here today."

For the first time in a long time, Saffron didn't feel any animosity towards RJ. "Thanks," she said, her tone softened. "I um... I played my hardest."

"I'll say," RJ said. "The blokes in the front office are going to be salivating."

"Wimbourne will hear about it too, but I know you have your heart set on playing for Puddlemere," Andrew said stepping forward.

"Always have," Saffron rubbed her shoulder. "Thanks you guys."

"Um, Andrew?" Ashley said shyly.

Andrew turned and smiled at Ashley. "Hey you," he said. "I've missed seeing you around." he gave her a hug.

"I've missed you too," Ashley said smiling up at him. "I-I wanted to introduce you to my friends. If you don't mind---"

"Not at all," Andrew replied. "Where are they at?"

Ashley turned and motioned for her friends to come over. Brittany practically pushed Zander out of the way in her rush to get to Andrew.

"This is my friend, Brittany Murray," Ashley said.

Brittany lost all coherent thought as she looked at the handsome older boy. "I'm---I'm----"

"Very nice to meet you, Brittany," Andrew grinned at her as he took her hand.

"It's meet to nice you too," Brittany said dreamily.

"And this is my other friend, Zander Murray." Ashley introduced. "You sent him an autograph a few months ago."

"Nice to meet you mate," Andrew said extending his hand. "You're the one who had all the wizarding cards, right?"

"Yeah," Zander nodded. "Ash saved them for me."

"That's because Ash is a great girl," Andrew said. "Just like her aunt."

Ashley blushed deeply at Andrew's compliment.

"How's Sophie?" Andrew asked. "Last time I saw her she was just a puppy."

"She's really big now," Ashley told him. "Well... she's full grown. I miss her a lot while I'm here."

"Katie probably wouldn't let you bring her, right?" Andrew asked.

Ashley shook her head. "You have to be in either sixth or seventh year to bring a dog, too."

"That would be the Puddles Potter law, right?" Andrew asked.

Ashley giggled. "Right."

Saffron returned her attention to the group after she'd finished talking to her team. Truth be told, she didn't know quite what to say around Andrew.

Alexa saved her from saying anything, at least for the next few minutes. "You scared the hell out of me up there." she said. "Imagine if your mother was here."

"They'd still be trying to revive her," Saffron said giving her best friend a hug.

"But I can't believe you held onto the snitch," Alexa said. "The guys were really, really impressed."

Saffron smiled. "RJ said he would put in a good word for me with Puddlemere."

"See?" Alexa asked. "He's not all bad."

"I guess not," Saffron shook her head. "I have too many other things to concentrate on than being angry at him."

Alexa grinned at her friend. "Awww, you're growing up!"

"Shut it," Saffron replied, laughing.

"I say we take this party inside," Jake said, his arm around Mimi. "I want to get my girl warm."

"We could stick around for a bit," Andrew looked at RJ. "Don't you think?"

RJ nodded. "We should celebrate with our house." He wasn't scheduled to meet up with Audrey until later.

"You mean you're actually going to stick around for awhile?" Beth asked. "This will be so cool- just like old times!"

"Not quite," Saffron muttered.

Alexa smiled at her friend. "We'll meet you inside. Come on, RJ. You can help me nick some food from the kitchens."

"Which is what I do best," RJ rubbed his hands together.

Andrew looked over at his ex girlfriend. "I'll walk you back?"

Saffron hesitated for a few moments. "Okay."

"You really did play great up there," Andrew told her. "Better than when we were in school."

"I practised quite a bit this summer," Saffron told him. She shivered from the cold. The snow had thankfully stopped, but it was still bitterly cold.

"Here," Andrew took his cloak off.

"I'm fine," Saffron lied. "Really."

"No you aren’t," Andrew draped it over her shoulders.

"Thanks," Saffron relented.

"I still care about you," Andrew told her. "I know we aren't together anymore, but it's not like those feelings just go away."

"Is that why you've gone out on all those dates?" Saffron asked before she could stop herself.

"I've gone out on a few," Andrew replied. "Just... casual things."

Saffron looked over at him. Over the last few months, the papers had been having a field day about Wizard McDreamy and his active love life. Saffron knew better than anyone not to believe everything she read, but it still hurt to see him photographed with other girls.

"Beth told us all about you and Sean," Andrew said quietly. "That you two are dating now."

"He's a great guy," Saffron said.

"I just hope you're happy." Andrew looked at her.

"I am," Saffron said. "But--"

"What?" Andrew asked.

Saffron stopped walking and looked at him. "I miss what we had."

"You do?" Andrew asked.

"I've never felt that way before in my life," Saffron said looking up at him.

"I hadn't either," Andrew replied.

"I thought we were going to be together forever," Saffron said softly.

"We even talked about getting married someday," Andrew nodded.

"But when I needed you to believe in me, you didn't," Saffron said. "And I know that I didn't help matters with how I put you in the middle with RJ and me, but I finally made an effort. But when something bad happened, you automatically assumed I was to blame."

"We all make mistakes," Andrew looked away. "And I did apologise for that."

"After you found out that I didn't do what you thought I had," Saffron pointed out.

"Saffy do we have to go over this again?" Andrew asked.

Saffron shook her head. "We've already said what we needed to about all of this. We've both moved on."

"Sure," Andrew said. "It's over..."

"We should get inside," Saffron said. "The party..."

"Of course," Andrew held the door open for her.

Saffron forced a smile as she walked past him into the castle.

"You think Andrew and Saf are okay back there?" RJ asked Alexa as they made their way towards the kitchens.

"I hope so," Alexa said. "She wouldn't have agreed to walk back with him if it wasn't okay."

"He misses her," RJ told Alexa. "But he's trying to get over it."

"It's taken her a long time to get over him," Alexa said. "But you know I don't think you ever do get over your first love."

"Part of you doesn't," RJ looked over at her. "I still care about you, Lexie."

"I still care about you too," Alexa admitted, leading the way down the corridor.

"It's funny," RJ said thoughtfully. "After that whole Serena thing, I was torn between wanting you back and wanting to stay single."

Alexa looked at him. "I was torn between wanting to castrate you and wanting you back."

"I think I'm glad you didn't choose the first option," RJ said with a grimace.

They arrived at the painting of the bowl of fruit. Alexa let him do the honours of tickling the pear and then the two of them walked into the kitchen.

"Did you see that friend of Ash's?" RJ asked. "I think Andrew's got another fan."

Alexa giggled. "Brittany's very sweet, if not a bit starstruck."

"Kind of like how you used to be around me," RJ teased.

"I was never quite that bad," Alexa nudged him.

"You were adorable," RJ said helping her grab some food.

"Adorable," Alexa rolled her eyes playfully.

"Would you prefer cute?" RJ asked.

"It sounds a little less child like," Alexa grinned at him.

RJ couldn't help grinning back at her. She was different---much more confident.

"Come on," Alexa said. "We should get all this back before they think we stopped to eat it all."

"Okay," RJ said moving to take some of the food from her. As he did so, his eyes lingered on her a little longer than he'd intended.

"What?" Alexa asked self consciously.

"Nothing," RJ said hastily. "I was just--I should get juice. We're not going to just want food, right?"

"Right," Alexa said, looking away. "Um.... and grab some butterbeer too."

RJ walked over to one of the iceboxes and grabbed some bottles. Something had just happened.

It felt strange but nice to be around RJ again, Alexa thought. She figured she'd always have some sort of feeling for him, but it wasn't quite what it used to be. Gabriel was now the one that made her heart beat faster- he was the guy she loved.

"Okay," RJ said. "I think we're good to go."

"Right," Alexa smiled at him again.

They made their way back to Gryffindor Tower where the victory party was already in full swing.

"Took you guys long enough," Jake teased.

"RJ wanted to take everything and run, but I convinced him to come back," Alexa told them.

"That sounds about right," Andrew came back over. "Let me take that before it disappears."

Beth came downstairs with a wireless. "How about some music?"

"All right!" Alexa cheered. "Let's celebrate our big win!"

"And our captain who saved the day!" Mimi chimed in.

Saffron blushed. "I just caught the snitch," she said modestly.

"You were just bloody brilliant was what you were," Imelda said. "Don't forget us when you're famous."

"Which will be pretty soon, when Puddlemere signs her on," RJ cut in.

"Or if we could tempt her over to Wimbourne," Andrew joked.

"Aunt Saffy's always wanted to play for Puddlemere," Ashley told her friends.

"She's brilliant," Zander said. "I know what happened today was scary, but she was amazing up there."

"She was," Ashley said proudly. She looked over at Brittany who was staring at Andrew. "Brit--"

"I can't help it," Brittany confessed. "He's soooooo dreamy, Ash. How can you be around him and not just die?"

"I did have a little crush on him a few years ago," Ashley admitted.

Zander nearly spit out his pumpkin juice. "You did?"

"Well yeah," Ashley said. "He's just... he's a really nice guy. He didn't talk to me like I was a kid, you know?"

Brittany nodded. "I knew he'd be like that."

"And he's still nice, even though he and Aunt Saffy are broken up," Ashley continued.

Zander excused himself from the Andrew Kirke fan club to get another bottle of juice.

"Is he okay?" Ashley asked, her eyes following Zander as he wandered over to the table where all the food was set out.

Brittany shrugged and kept her eyes on Andrew who was currently talking with Mimi and Jake.

Ashley sighed and got up to follow her other best friend. "Are you all right?" she asked Zander.

"Yeah," Zander replied. "I was just getting a little tired of listening to Brit."

Ashley smiled. "She is sort of one track minded isn't she?"

"Yeah," Zander said shaking his head. He grabbed a biscuit. "You should try one of these."

"Okay," Ashley took one too. "These are good!"

"You know when I first came here I was worried that the food would be terrible and I'd miss my mum's cooking," Zander told her.

"I already knew the food was good," Ashley said. "I'd heard about it so many times from everyone else."

"The benefits of having a large family, right?" Zander asked handing her another biscuit.

"Exactly," Ashley said. "Thanks."

"Are you doing anything tomorrow?" he asked her.

Ashley shrugged. "If it didn't start snowing again I was going to go work on my drawings of the castle some more.”

"Did you want to work on that Herbology assignment?"

"Sure," Ashley said. "If we get it done, then we won't have to worry about it at the end of the week."

The last thing he wanted to do was spend Sunday doing homework, but he did want to spend time with Ashley. "Great."

Ashley smiled at him. "Are you really okay?" she asked.

Zander nodded. "I'm fine. Really."

"Come on," Ashley took his hand. "I'll introduce you to RJ. He's really nice."

Zander and Ashley didn't notice the snickers of some of their fellow first years as they walked by holding hands.

"Hey RJ," Ashley said as they approached.

"Ashley Malfoy," RJ said grinning at her. "Look at you all grown up."

Ashley laughed. "I'm only eleven!"

"Now, I feel old," RJ said laughing with her. He looked at Zander. "Alright, mate?"

"Hi," Zander said in awe.

"This is Zander Murray," Ashley told RJ. "He's one of my best friends."

"Well it's nice to meet you, Zander," RJ put out his hand.

Zander shook it. "It's an honour to meet you. I listened to the championship match on the wireless. You were fantastic!"

"Thanks mate," RJ replied. "You'll have to come to one of our practise matches during summer hols and check things out."

"Really?" Zander asked excitedly.

"Ash comes once in awhile," RJ smiled at the young blonde girl.

"If you don't have anything to do this summer, you could come with us," Ashley offered. "I'm sure my parents wouldn't mind."

Zander nodded eagerly. "I'm there!"

"Don't you have to ask your parents?" Ashley asked him.

"I'm sure it'll be fine," Zander replied.

"Do you play, Zander?" RJ asked the younger boy.

"A little," Zander replied sheepishly. "I'm not very good."

"If you love the game, you'll improve with time," RJ replied. "Usually when we all meet up during the summer hols, we'll have a pickup game. If you're around, we'll give you some tips."

Zander beamed at him. "Really? That would be great. Thanks!"

RJ smiled at the two first years. "You both have fun- and grab some of that butterbeer over there before it disappears."

Zander and Ashley headed back over to the refreshment table and RJ walked over to where Saffron was sitting by herself.

"Mind if I sit down?" he asked hesitantly.

"If you want to," Saffron replied.

RJ sat down. "It's nice being back here."

"I'm going to miss it next year," Saffron nodded.

"Your sister will still be here," RJ reminded her. "And your niece. I imagine you'll be back every now and then."

"Maybe coming back like you and Andrew," Saffron answered.

"Yeah, maybe like that," RJ said. He looked around the room and smiled as a memory came to him. "Do you remember when we were kids and we had that imaginary game in your sitting room? The brooms couldn't move and so we had to pretend. And you threw that pillow we were using as the Quaffle at me, but I ducked and you knocked over your mum's lamp?"

Saffron laughed. "And we thought she'd be so mad, so we tried to fix it ourselves?"

RJ chuckled. "And then you blamed me when she caught us!"

"It was better that way," Saffron grinned. "She couldn't punish you."

"No, but my mum could and did," RJ said.

Saffron smiled ruefully at him. "I suppose saying sorry now wouldn't matter?"

"Water under the bridge," RJ replied.

Saffron nodded. "But saying sorry for other things..."

"Yeah," RJ agreed. "I know."

"I've sort of missed you," Saffron replied.

"Little old me?" RJ teased.

"Just a bit," Saffron joked.

"We both have said and done some bad things," RJ said thoughtfully. "If I could change any of it, I would. I never wanted to hurt Lexie. I never wanted to hurt you. You're like my little sister."

"Aside from those few days back when you were in school when we thought we might fancy each other, you were always like another brother," Saffron said.

"That seems like a lifetime ago," RJ said.

"I know," Saffron agreed.

"We've been through a lot," RJ said quietly.

"That we have," Saffron nodded. "I don't even know why I was mad at you anymore."

"Because I cheated on your best mate," RJ said counting it off with his fingers. "You thought I was trying to get Andrew to do the dirty on you. I thought you were the one who told Audrey---"

"Now I remember," Saffron shook her head. "You're an arse."

RJ laughed. "And you are still a brat."

"Who'd have us any other way, right?" Saffron grinned.

Alexa tapped Andrew on the shoulder. "Turn around. You're not going to believe what's going on over there by the fireplace."

Andrew blinked. "Do my eyes deceive me?"

"They're talking without yelling," Alexa said. "And I'm not sure, but I think Saffron's...smiling."

Andrew clutched her arm. "Someone grab a camera, quick."

Alexa laughed. "I knew they'd come around."

"Finally," Andrew answered a bit sadly.

Alexa caught the tone in his voice. "At least maybe now we can all be friends. Like we were before."

Andrew shrugged. "Maybe..."

"Guys, hell has frozen over," RJ called out to them. "Pigs can now fly. Saffron Potter admitted that she actually missed me."

"Shut it!" Saffron shoved at his shoulder.

"It's about time," Alexa said. "You both are as stubborn as mules."

"Whatever," Saffron said. "I have better things to focus on than being mad at RJ."

"Like world domination," Alexa teased.

"Exactly," Saffron agreed.

Beth came over with her camera. "I thought that I should capture this for posterity. Just in case, you forget that this happened tomorrow, Saffy."

"Right," RJ deadpanned. "I could wake up and find that this all was a dream.... or a nightmare."

"Come on, you guys," Beth urged. "Saffy, you sit beside Andrew. Lexie, you sit beside RJ."

Alexa and Saffron did as they were told. "A little closer," Beth said. "I can't fit you all in otherwise."

RJ put his arm around Alexa and Andrew did the same with Saffron. Beth felt a little teary-eyed as she looked into the viewfinder. "Okay...one...two....three...smile!"

All four teens smiled as the camera flashed.

"Perfect," Beth said smiling at them. "This really was like old times!"

"You just aren't obsessing over Oliver Wood," RJ teased her. "How about a little of that for old times sake?"

"I only have eyes for Peter now," Beth said blushing. "And you have no room to talk since you used to run around dressed like a faerie."

RJ looked at Saffron and raised an eyebrow.

"I might have told a couple of people about that," she admitted sheepishly.

"That's just great," RJ shook his head. "Thanks Saf."

"Come on," Alexa said. "That's in the past. Tonight it's about moving on and starting over."

"Well I have to hold this over her head for awhile," RJ replied. "Maybe a year or so?"

"Seems about right," Andrew said grinning at his best friend. "A year at the very least."

"Now you're both just taking the Mickey," Saffron crossed her arms.

"You told everyone here that I used to run around the house dressed in a faerie costume when I was four," RJ pointed out. "Come on. You have to give me this."

"Maddie told everyone first," Saffron said innocently.

"I'll have words for her, too," RJ said.

Mimi and Jake joined them. "Did you tell RJ about what his ex-girlfriend has been up to?" She did a quick dance.

"What?" RJ was confused.

Saffron laughed. "Oh boy, do I have some gossip for you!"

"Alexa, do you have something to tell us?" Andrew asked.

"Not me!" Alexa exclaimed.

"Christina Grant," Saffron began gleefully. "Is an exotic dancer and window whore in Amsterdam!"

"Really?" RJ asked in amazement.

"Sean told me," Saffron replied, avoiding Andrew's eyes at the mention of her new boyfriend.

"She nearly killed me," RJ said. "I think she ended up where she needed to be."

"In jail would have been better," Saffron snorted. "But she's probably meeting the same type of people she would have there."

RJ nodded. "Probably."

"We shouldn't waste our time talking about her anyway," Saffron rolled her eyes.

"Right," Andrew agreed.

"Let's get some butterbeer," Alexa suggested. "And we'll toast to getting things back to normal."

"Coming right up," RJ said going over to the table and grabbing four bottles.

"This hits the spot," Saffron said. "Thanks RJ."

RJ grinned and held up his bottle. "To starting over!"

"Hear, hear." Saffron agreed.

Andrew was glad that his best friend and Saffron were going to put their animosity behind them. But, part of him, couldn't help but wonder what would have happened if they'd done this sooner. He and Saffron might still be together. Beth had been right when she said it seemed like old times, but Andrew doubted it could ever be like it had been before.

199. 199!!!!

The arrival of two important little people comes to you in this chapter. We hope you enjoy it- please review!!!! Please? :D

Nine months had passed along quite fast for Frankie, and for that she was thankful. But the pain at the moment... she was busy blaming her husband for that.

"And you're never getting anywhere NEAR this body again!" Frankie bared her teeth.

"Let's just get you to the hospital before you start plotting my impending death," Will said calmly grabbing the suitcase they'd packed for this occasion.

"OH MY GOD!" Frankie shrieked at the top of her lungs as another contraction began.

Hannah, who had been fast asleep in her bedroom, hurried into her parents' room when she heard this. "Mummy?" she asked in a small voice.

"It's okay Hannah," Will told his daughter. "But can you go get your cloak, please? The babies are on their way and we need to get to hospital."

Hannah nodded and hurried back to her room.

"Can you calm down please?" Will asked his wife. "You're scaring the hell out of her. I know you're hurting, but the sooner we get to St. Mungos the sooner you can get something to stop the pain."

The last thing Frankie wanted to do was scare Hannah, but she was in so much pain. If she'd known it was going to be this painful, she'd have seriously rethought her decision to do this. "I'll...I'll try."

"Thank you," Will said. "Come on baby."

Frankie got to her feet with Will's help.

"Daddy, I've got my cloak," Hannah said, her eyes were shining with tears.

"Good girl," Will said.

"I'm all right baby," Frankie managed a smile at her daughter. "Come here and give me a hug."

Hannah hesitantly stepped forward and gave her mother a hug, which was complicated by the size of Frankie's bump.

"That makes me feel better already," Frankie said, grimacing as another contraction came on. "Will..."

"Breathe," Will coached. "Come on, Frankie."

Frankie nodded. "Let's get going," she said, squeezing Hannah's hand a bit.

"How are we going to get there, Daddy?" Hannah asked.

Will looked at his wife. "Do you think you can Apparate, or do you want me to drive us?"

"Whichever would get us there quicker," Frankie managed.

"Do you think you can Apparate?" Will asked her.

"I think so," Frankie replied. "If we do it before the next contraction."

Will held onto the suitcase with one hand and gripped Hannah's hand with the other. "The lobby, then?"

Frankie nodded. "The lobby."

"Close your eyes, baby." Will told Hannah.

Ten short minutes later, they were at St. Mungos and Frankie was being checked into a private room.

"I'm going to need every single pain relieving potion that you have," Frankie told the nurse. "Every single one of them."

"Frankie," Will said. "Come on, let's get you settled in."

Cho and Neville hurried down the hall. Will had called them earlier and they'd agreed to meet them at St. Mungos.

"Grandpa!" Hannah exclaimed running toward him.

"Hello sweetheart," Neville scooped her up. "I heard you're about to become a big sister!"

"Yeah," Hannah said. "But I'm really scared for Mummy."

"She's going to be just fine, baby." Cho told her.

"Promise?" Hannah asked.

"I promise," Cho smiled at her.

"Mum!" Frankie called out for Cho.

Cho went into the room. "Hi sweetheart," she kissed her youngest daughter on the forehead.

"I can't do this," Frankie whispered. "I can't. I was thinking that the babies could just stay in there. I think they're fine right where they are."

Cho smiled. "This is the toughest part, baby, but you're my strong girl. I know you can get through this."

"How on earth did you do this three times?" Frankie asked incredulously.

"I knew it was going to be worth it," Cho began to pull Frankie's long black hair back into a ponytail.

Frankie smiled. "Promise you'll stay here with me?"

"Every moment," Cho promised.

Will came back into the room. "Lizzy will be here shortly."

"Okay," Frankie breathed.

"Hannah's outside with your dad," Will said. "She said to give you a big hug and kiss."

"Tell her I love her," Frankie said as Cho smoothed her hair back.

"I rang Chiaki and Allie too," Will said. "They'll be here later."

"Okay," Frankie reached for her husband's hand.

"How are you holding up?" Will asked giving her a kiss.

"Okay," Frankie gripped it tighter as a contraction hit.

Lizzy walked into the room. "Hi, Frankie. Will."

"Please give me something to stop this pain," Frankie whimpered.

Lizzy scanned Frankie's chart. "Well, we can't give you anything that will take away the pain completely, but it will make it more bearable."

"Anything!" Frankie closed her eyes.

"How far apart are her contractions?" Lizzy asked Will.

"What, a few minutes at this point?" Will looked at his wife. "Maybe two?"

Lizzy produced a vial of a clear liquid. She handed it to Frankie. "Drink this. It doesn't taste very good, but you will love what it does for you. Trust me."

Frankie grabbed for it eagerly and downed it in a gulp.

"How do you feel?" Will asked her.

"Better," Frankie sagged against the pillows in relief.

"Told you," Lizzy said with a grin.

"Will..." Frankie reached for him again. "I'm sorry I was so mad at you earlier."

"I was warned that you would say things like that by Jack," Will said. "So don't worry about it. Besides, you can never resist me, Francesca Barron."

"No," Frankie smiled lazily at him. "That's how we got in this situation in the first place..."

"And we're going to meet Isabelle and Nathan really soon," Will said happily.

"I know," Frankie said softly. "I'm really excited, Will."

"Me too," Will said. "Lizzy, can we bring Hannah in here for a few minutes?"

"Sure," Lizzy nodded. "I'll go get her for you."

"Thanks," Will said taking a seat on the edge of Frankie's bed.

Hannah edged shyly into the room a moment later. "Mummy?"

Frankie motioned for her to come over. "Hi, sweetheart."

"Are you feeling better?" Hannah asked her.

"Very much since your Aunt Lizzy gave me a potion that helps with the pain," Frankie told her.

Hannah smiled at her. "Are the babies coming now?"

"In just a little while," Will responded. "Do you want to get up here with your mum?"

Hannah nodded and Will helped her up onto the bed.

"Grandpa and me were talking," Hannah said softly. "And he said that there's still going to be more girls than boys in our family. You, me, and Izzie are going to be the girls and Daddy and Nathan will be the only boys."

Frankie laughed. "It's good that way, baby."

"I think so too," Hannah said cuddling up on Frankie's side.

"Here," Frankie moved Hannah's hand to her stomach. "They're really moving around in there."

"I can't wait to see them," Hannah said honestly.

"They're going to love you," Will smiled at his girls.

"And no matter what you're still our little girl," Frankie said softly. "We love you so much, Hannah."

"I love you too," Hannah said.

Frankie patted Hannah's back. "You be a good girl for your grandpa, okay?"

"I will," Hannah nodded. "I'm going to draw you a new picture."

Will grinned. "Come on, baby. I'll walk you back out. I want to see if your Grandpa Ted and Grandma Abbie are here."

"I think they are," Hannah took his hand.

Will took her back out to the waiting room where Neville, Ted and Abbie were sitting.

"William," Abbie said. "How is she?"

"All right for now," Will told his parents. "She just took a potion to stop the pain- but I don't think it'll be long before she delivers."

Abbie smiled. "Give her my love."

"I will," Will hugged his mother.

"Very interesting hospital this is," Ted said looking around.

Will grinned. "Don't get too spooked Dad."

"I was thinking of taking Ted downstairs to the cafeteria," Neville said. "Show him around."

"I want to stay here," Hannah said firmly.

"I'll stay with you," Abbie said to Hannah. "We can draw that picture."

"Okay," Hannah smiled at her grandmother. "I just want to stay close to my mummy in case she needs me."

"We'll bring you back a biscuit," Neville promised.

"Thanks Grandpa," Hannah said.

Will gave Hannah a hug. "Next time I see you, you will officially be a big sister."

"I can't wait, Daddy," Hannah hugged him tightly.

"Love you, Hannah," Will said softly.

"I love you too," Hannah kissed her father's cheek.

Back in her room, Frankie was hit with another contraction, but it was nowhere near as painful as it had been before. She just felt a slight discomfort.

"That's better isn’t it?" Cho asked her daughter.

Frankie nodded. "Much."

"I know I've told you this," Cho said. "But your dad and I are so proud of you, Frankie."

Frankie looked up at her mother. "Really? I know I've been moody and irritable lately..."

"That's all part of pregnancy," Cho told her. "And you're about to go through a rather difficult period- the adjustment. You'll have two new children to look after."

"Which Chiaki says makes labour look like a breeze," Frankie said.

"She's quite right," Cho answered.

"I'm scared to death," Frankie admitted. "What if I screw them up? All three of them?"

"Not a chance," Cho assured her. "You've got me, your dad, your sisters, Will, Hannah, Will's parents..."

"I have a good support system," Frankie said as another contraction hit her.

"They're about a minute apart now," Cho said. "It's going to happen soon, Frankie."

"Go easy on me, you two," Frankie said patting her stomach.

"I can't wait to meet my two new grandchildren," Cho kissed Frankie's forehead.

"Two more to spoil," Frankie grinned.

"Exactly," Cho laughed.

Lizzy came back inside. "We're going to prep you for the births, Frankie. I'm going to give you one more dose of the potion."

"Great," Frankie said. "Thanks Lizzy."

Will walked back in and grinned at his wife. "Okay?"

"All right," Frankie smiled at him. "It's almost time."

"You can squeeze my hand as hard as you want," he told her.

"I'm going to hold you to that," Frankie told him. "How's Hannah?"

"She's fine," Will replied. "She's out there with my mum, who sends her love by the way."

"I'm glad they're here," Frankie leaned back against the pillows. "Will, I'm still a bit nervous."

"You're going to be fine," he told her. "And your mum and I are right here and you know Lizzy is going to make sure everything's fine."

Frankie nodded, only feeling a little better.

Will gave her hand a squeeze. He couldn't imagine what this would be like for his wife. He knew she was scared and he was too.

"Okay," Lizzy came back in the room. "It's time for you to meet your twins."

Frankie swallowed. She wasn't so sure she could do this. "Um...could you just knock me out and wake me up when it's over?"

Lizzy smiled at her. "Frankie, you're going to do just fine, I promise."

"It's just that I have a really low threshold for pain," Frankie tried to explain. "I always have. I cry at a paper cut. Right, Mum? I really don't think that----"

"That potion we gave you is actually going to take away a lot of the pain," Lizzy told her.

Frankie was grateful for that, but it wasn't going to take away all of it. Her sisters had done this though---Chiaki once with her own set of twins and Allison three times.

"It's going to be okay, baby." Will said to his wife. "And I promise not to move an inch until it's all over."

Lizzy positioned herself at foot of the bed. "Okay, you are fully dilated. In a moment, I'm going to ask you to push, Frankie."

"Will," Frankie gripped his hand and reached out for her mother.

"You're doing fine," Cho encouraged taking her daughter's hand.

"Okay Frankie," Lizzy said. "Give me one really good push!"

Frankie took a deep breath and then did just as Lizzy asked.

"Good," Lizzy said. "I can see the first baby. Frankie....push as hard as you can."

Frankie nodded. "Is it Nathan or Isabelle?" she asked breathlessly as she bore down and pushed again.

Lizzy smiled. "Your son is quite the gentleman. He has let his little sister come first...."

Frankie felt tears well up in her eyes.

His daughter's cries filled the room and the sound was like music to Will's ears.

Lizzy handed Isabelle off to one of the nurses. "Okay, Frankie. You're going to have to push again for your son."

Frankie was already quite knackered, but she managed to push just the same.

"One more sweetheart," Cho said. "Nathaniel's dying to meet you!"

Frankie locked her eyes with Will's and mustered the strength to give one last push.

Nathaniel came into the world screaming his head off. "That sounds like Frankie," Cho teased gently.

Lizzy laughed. "Good job, Frankie."

Frankie leaned back against the pillows, breathing heavily.

Will gave her a kiss. "You did it, sweetheart!"

Frankie smiled at her husband. "We did..."

"You did the work," Will joked. "I just stood here and lost all feeling in my hand."

"Can we hold them yet?" Frankie asked him.

The nurse brought the babies over and Frankie smiled when she saw her daughter had her black hair. Nathan had Will's brown hair. "Oh..."

"They're perfect," Will couldn’t' stop staring down at them.

Will took Isabelle from the nurse. "You look just like your mum. Beautiful."

"He's got your eyes," Frankie said softly, looking down at their son. "So does she..."

Cho wiped at her eyes. She was at a complete loss for words.

"Mum," Frankie smiled at her. "Your new grandchildren are here..."

Cho nodded. "I'm so proud of you!"

"Thanks," Frankie replied. "I'm so glad you stayed with me."

"I wouldn't have been anywhere else," Cho said feeling another set of tears welling up in her eyes as she watched Frankie kiss Nathan's forehead.

"Can Hannah come in yet?" Frankie asked. "I'd like her to meet her brother and sister."

"I'll go and get her," Cho said.

Will carefully set Isabelle in Frankie's other arm. "How are you doing?" he asked his wife.

"Knackered," she said. "But really, really happy. Look at them!"

"I know," he agreed softly. "You were amazing, sweetheart. And they're absolutely perfect."

Hannah came in to the room, holding Cho's hand. A wide grin spread across her face when she saw her parents with the babies.

"Hi you," Frankie smiled at her. "Come meet your siblings."

Will picked her up so she could get a better look. "That's Nathaniel William Barron and the one in the pink there is Isabelle Christine Barron. Guys, I want you to meet your big sister, Hannah."

Hannah giggled. "They're so small, Daddy!"

"They sure are," Will said. "And you know what they told me?"

Hannah looked at him. "They can't talk yet."

Will laughed, as did Frankie. "She's got you there."

"I can talk baby," Will told them. "And they told me that they're very glad to be here and they forgive their mother for eating all that spicy food."

Hannah giggled again. "You're silly, Daddy."

Frankie leaned down. "Isabelle said she agreed with her big sister."

"I wish I could speak baby," Hannah said wistfully.

"It's really easy," Will said winking at her.

"How do I do it?" Hannah was intrigued.

"Well, you just look at them and you concentrate really hard," Will said. "And you can hear them talk."

Hannah furrowed her eyebrows. "I don't hear anything."

"You'll get it in time," Will promised.

"Okay," Hannah leaned over and kissed Isabelle's head, then Nathan's.

Frankie was so glad that Hannah seemed to be enjoying her role as big sister so far. She'd worried that Hannah would feel differently, but so far so good. She and Will had promised themselves to never make Hannah feel second best. She was just as much their daughter as Isabelle was and she always would be.

"Time for you to get some rest," Will said. "They're going to take the twins to the nursery."

"I feel like I could sleep for a week," Frankie admitted.

"You just had twins," Cho pushed Frankie's hair back. "You deserve a good rest."

Reluctantly, Frankie let the two nurses take the babies.

"I was thinking that we'd take Hannah back to our place," Cho said. "So she could get some sleep. We'll bring her back first thing in the morning."

"Thanks Mum," Frankie yawned. "Will's going to stay here with me."

Hannah gingerly gave her mother a hug. "I love you, Mummy. So much."

"I love you too," Frankie hugged her as tightly as she could. "You're my girl, Hannah."

"Come here and let me have one of those hugs," Will said grinning at her.

Hannah got down and ran over to her father. "I love you Daddy."

"I love you too," Will said holding her tightly. "Now, you be a good girl for your grandparents and we'll see you tomorrow morning."

"Okay," Hannah said, waving as Cho led her from the room.

"How are you holding up?" Will asked his wife. "Because you look beautiful."

"Liar," Frankie smiled sleepily at him.

"You do," Will said getting comfortable in the chair beside her.

"What are you doing over there?" Frankie asked.

"Getting comfortable," Will said. "I'm going to stay here with you."

"Over here," Frankie patted next to her.

"I thought you said I wasn't getting anywhere near that body ever again," Will said.

"Yeah well," Frankie smiled sheepishly. "Can't a girl change her mind?"

"I had a feeling that wouldn't last too long," Will said getting to his feet. He settled down on the bed beside Frankie.

"I can't believe they're here," Frankie murmured.

"And they're healthy," Will said putting his arm around her. "And happy."

"I'm happy too," Frankie snuggled against him. "More happy than I thought I'd ever be, Will."

"Me too," Will said softly. "And Hannah----did you see her with them?"

"She loves them," Frankie nodded. "I'm so glad we adopted her."

"She changed everything for us," Will said closing his eyes. "I don't think we'd have Nathan or Isabelle if she hadn't come into our lives."

"She showed me that I could be a mum," Frankie said thoughtfully. "That I wanted to."

"I always knew you had it in you," Will kissed the side of her head.

"I love you, Will," Frankie said closing her eyes.

"I love you too," Will kissed the side of her head.

"You're going to stay here," Frankie said sleepily.

"Right here," Will promised.

"Kay," Frankie said before drifting off to sleep.

*** *** ***

Maddie and Ethan had gone to the hospital to see Will, Frankie and the twins, and had returned to Drew and Brian's to see Chloe, who was almost a year old.

Seeing all the new babies was hard for Maddie- who still hated the fact that she felt jealous of her best friend. She and Ethan were still having troubles with conceiving.

She was sitting with Chloe on the floor playing with some blocks.

"Bock," Chloe said happily holding one up for Maddie to see.

"That's right," Maddie smiled lovingly at her niece. "You're a smart girl, Chloe!"

Drew came back into the room carrying a tray of biscuits and tea. "She loves playing with those. They are her favourite toy."

"I always liked them too," Maddie nodded. "I think all us kids had a set of blocks at one point."

Chloe pushed herself up and toddled over to her toy box in the corner of the room. "Bear!"

Ethan looked down at the little girl. "Chloe, that's MY bear."

Chloe shook her head. "Mine!"

"My bear," Ethan joked.

Chloe's face screwed up. "MINE!"

Ethan held up his hands in defeat. "Oh...that is YOUR bear. I left mine at home."

Drew laughed. "Never try and take her bear. It's her absolute favourite."

"Mine," Chloe said hugging it to her.

"What is that bear's name?" Ethan asked her.

"Mine," Chloe said again.

"Mine the bear," Ethan said thoughtfully.

Chloe giggled as she threw herself at his legs.

Ethan picked her up. "Chloe, Chloe, Chloe!"

Chloe dropped her bear and reached out to pat his cheeks.

Maddie watched her husband with a wistful expression. He was going to make a wonderful father someday.

"So where's Brian today?" Ethan asked.

"He's at the Burrow today," Drew said. "Helping Grandpa cataloguing his latest artefacts."

"Gampaaaaaa...." Chloe echoed.

Brian had taken over for Arthur in the Misuse of Muggle Artefacts office after Arthur's retirement. Arthur still had quite a few finds and Molly had been after him for the past few months to tidy up the barn he was using for storage.

Maddie smiled fondly. "Grandpa still loves Muggle things so much. Ethan and I bought him a new toaster a few weeks ago."

"I know," Drew said with a grin. "He was showing it off to us."

"He must have made toast about six times while we were there," Ethan laughed.

Maddie looked at her sister. "How are Fred and George doing? Are they talking again?"

"No one's really said anything," Drew shrugged. "But Uncle George is still seeing Angelina."

"It's bizarre seeing them fighting," Ethan commented.

"What's even more bizarre is seeing Uncle Fred sitting around talking with Dad," Drew told them. "And them not fighting."

"Whoa," Ethan said. "Really?"

Drew nodded.

"It's a shame to see them fight like this," Maddie said as Chloe moved over to her.

"Loving the same woman will do that to you," Ethan said. "Of course, it never happened to Justin and me."

Maddie smiled at him. "Better not have," she teased.

Chloe grabbed a lock of Maddie's hair. "Pretty!"

"Thank you Chloe," Maddie touched Chloe's trademark red hair. "You are just beautiful too!"

Chloe beamed at her. "Em?"

Maddie laughed. "All of you want to see Em, all the time, don't you?" she kissed her niece's cheek.

Ethan shook his head. "She's a legend."

"That she is," Maddie replied wistfully.

"So tell me about Nathan and Isabelle," Drew said eagerly.

"They're so cute," Ethan said. "Isabelle has black hair and Nathan's got brown hair. Hannah's completely enamoured already."

"Awww," Drew gushed. "I'm so glad that she is. I know Frankie and Will were worried."

"They're really lucky," Maddie said softly.

"Mad?" Chloe asked looking up at her aunt. "Sad?"

"I'm okay sweetheart," Maddie smiled at her niece.

Chloe reached up and put her arms around Maddie's neck.

Maddie's eyes filled with unexpected tears at Chloe's sweet gesture. Drew looked at her sister with concern.

"Maddie?" Drew asked.

"I'm okay," Maddie wiped at her eyes.

"Mads," Ethan looked at his wife.

Maddie shook her head. "Really, I'm fine. It's just been a really emotional day is all."

Drew shook her head suspiciously. "You've been sort of quiet today, Maddie. It's not like you."

"Ethan and I are still trying," Maddie said softly. "And I just want a child of our own."

"Maddie," Drew put an arm around her sister. "It'll happen in time, you know that."

"I know," Maddie said resting her head on Drew's shoulder.

"Love Mad," Chloe rested against her aunt.

"She's just like how you were when we were kids," Drew said smiling at her sister. "Always wanting everyone to be happy."

Maddie couldn't help the small smile that curved her lips out. "She's a sweet girl."

Drew looked at Chloe. "Hey, sweetheart, why don't you show Maddie the Tickle Monster?"

"Ooooh," Ethan grinned. "Aunt Mad LOVES the Tickle Monster!"

"Oh, no," Maddie said shaking her head. "Anything but that, Chloe!"

Chloe wiggled her tiny fingers. "ARRRRRGH!" she shouted, reaching for Maddie.

Maddie shrieked causing the little girl to giggle. "Mad!"

Ethan laughed too as his wife slid down to the floor with Chloe tickling her the whole way.

"Brian does this to her all the time and she just loves it," Drew told him.

"She's so sweet Drew," Ethan told her.

"I didn't know Maddie was hurting like this," Drew said keeping her voice down so Maddie couldn't hear.

"It's been going on for awhile," Ethan said quietly. "We've been trying so hard for a baby but it hasn't happened."

"It'll happen," Drew said. "And when it does you guys are going to be great parents."

"That's what I keep telling her," Ethan nodded.

"You could always adopt," Drew said.

"It's a possibility," Ethan answered. "But we want our own kids too."

Either way, Drew knew that her sister and Ethan would be good parents and any child would be lucky to have them for a mum and dad.

"I think the Tickle Monster needs to see Uncle Ethan," Maddie held up Chloe.

"Aurors aren't scared of the Tickle Monster," Ethan scoffed.

Chloe wiggled her fingers at him. "Get you!" she shrieked, launching herself at him.

"Oomph!" Ethan muttered falling to the floor. "Chloe!"

"TICKLE!" the little girl giggled uncontrollably.

"Get him, Chloe!" Maddie laughed.

Drew was laughing too. "Brian will be happy to know he's spared for the evening."

"No scape!" Chloe shrieked going at him again. "No scape!"

Ethan laughed even harder. "The Tickle Monster's coming for you next Miss McGregor!"

"Oh, no you don't!" Drew wagged her finger at him.

"No," Chloe imitated her mother. "Don't!"

Maddie laughed, feeling a little better. It was hard not to be happy around Chloe.

"There's that Maddie smile we all know and love," Drew grinned at her sister.

"I'm trying to not let it get me down," Maddie said. "But it's hard sometimes."

"Trust me," Drew nodded. "It's not easy. I've been there."

Maddie felt terrible. She shouldn't have talked about this in front of Drew, especially after what had happened with Hope.

Drew seemed to know what she was thinking. "Maddie, we're sisters. You can talk to me and Darla about anything, you know. No matter what."

Maddie gave her a hug. "Thanks, Drew. You and Dar have been great."

"So have you," Drew hugged her tightly. "I can't recall a single time you weren't there to listen to me."

"That's what sisters are for," Maddie said.

"E," Chloe said reaching for Ethan.

"E," Ethan picked her up and sat her on his lap. "Am I Uncle E now?"

"She can't say Ethan," Drew said. "She has trouble with your name and with Saffy's."

"Well she's only a year old," Ethan grinned at the little girl. "We can't expect her to be completely perfect for at least another year."

"Very true," Drew said picking up a framed photograph and showing it to her daughter. "Chloe, who is that?"

Chloe stared at the picture of Saffron. "Sassy!"

Ethan clutched his stomach as he fell back in laughter. "Oh that is PERFECT!"

"Sassy here?" Chloe asked looking around.

"No," Drew shook her head. "Sassy's not here."

"Oh," Chloe said frowning.

"Sassy," Ethan said still chuckling. "Now that is Saffy."

"Something tells me we're going to be getting a Howler from her sometime soon," Maddie shook her head.

"Why would we get a howler from her?" Ethan asked. "To my knowledge, I've not done anything recently to piss her off."

"You'll write to her and call her Sassy, and make it seem like some kind of insult," Maddie pointed out.

"He wouldn't do that," Drew said. "Would you, Ethan?"

"Maybe," Ethan confessed sheepishly.

"Have you talked to RJ lately?" Maddie asked her sister. "Apparently he and Saffy have finally patched things up."

Drew nodded. "It's about time. I hated seeing the two of them fight."

"I didn't like it either," Maddie answered. "It was all quite silly."

"My baby sister knows how to hold a grudge," Ethan said.

"In any case, it's about time they buried the hatchet." Drew scooped her daughter up.

"Absolutely," Maddie said. "They've been through too much and life is too short."

"Right," Drew made a goofy face at Chloe. "I think it's time for a kip."

"No thanks," Ethan said dryly. "I'm not tired."

Maddie hit his shoulder. "Not you!"

"Ow, Mads!" Ethan yelped.

Chloe giggled. "Mad!"

"I'll be right back after I put Miss Chloe down for her kip," Drew told them. "Say bye-bye, Chloe!"

"Ba- ba!" Chloe waved her little hand.

"Bye!" Maddie waved back at her. "Sweet dreams, Chloe."

"She's too cute," Ethan pushed himself back up onto the sofa.

"She is," Maddie said sitting down beside him. "E."

"Mad," he returned, leaning in to give her a kiss.

"It's going to happen for us, right?" Maddie asked.

"Sure it is," Ethan told her. "And when it does, you'll be the best mum there is."

"And you'll be a great father," Maddie said. "I just know it."

"Of course I will," Ethan said, trying to make her smile. "I'm the greatest guy in the world."

"You are," Maddie said softly.

He kissed her again. "Keep your chin up," he told her.

Maddie rested her head on his shoulder hoping that it would happen for them soon. She wanted to start a family with Ethan. She wanted that more than anything in the world.

"She went down easy," Drew came back into the room. "Thanks for tiring her out, E."

"My pleasure," Ethan said with a grin.

"We should get going," Maddie said. "Let you have some peace and quiet."

"You guys just got here," Drew protested.

"Are you sure?" Maddie asked. "If you've got things to do--"

"No, I love having you guys around," Drew reassured them.

"So how goes the wonderful world of wedding planning?" Ethan asked her.

"A bit slow, lately." Drew replied. "Which is kind of nice. It'll pick up again in about a month."

"June's always their busiest season," Maddie said.

"I can't believe it'll be two years already for us," Ethan squeezed his wife's shoulders.

"Yours was my favourite to do," Drew told them.

"It was the best wedding," Maddie told her. "Best day of my life."

"Mine too," Ethan said.

Drew smiled. "All of are married off now, Maddie. Well, except for RJ. It seems like just yesterday we were in our house in Dublin."

"Which you hated so much," Maddie teased her.

"And you took it out on Dolly's cage," Ethan remembered.

Drew laughed. "You make me sound awful!"

"You just wanted everyone to be together," Maddie said in her sister's defence.

"Yes I did," Drew nodded.

"And now we're all together," Maddie said. "Close enough to see each other when we want."

"All the time," Drew nodded. "I love it."

"One for all and all for one," Ethan teased.

"That's the Weasleys for you," Drew said with a grin.

200. Chapter 200!!!!!!!!!!

Authors’ note: Whoa….200 chapters! We can’t believe it! We’re thinking of changing the title to Neverending Dance …Thank you guys for keeping with us on this long journey!

CHAPTER TWO HUNDRED

Saffron was home for Easter and was glad to see her parents again. She was brimming with news from school, from the Quidditch match to her duties as Head Girl and what they entailed. She also filled her mother in on what Ashley was up to.

"I'm so happy for her," Hermione said. "Poor Ashley sometimes feels a little left out with the other children. I'm so glad she's made some friends and is doing so well."

"She really is," Saffron nodded.

Hermione sat on the edge of her daughter's bed. "I know I say this every time you come home, but I really am glad that you're back."

Saffron smiled. "I'm glad too. I missed you and Dad so much."

"Your father wishes he could have been here to pick you up at the station," Hermione said. "But he and Ethan are on assignment. They'll be back tomorrow."

"I can't wait to see them," Saffron replied. "But we'll have fun tonight Mum. Just you and me."

Hermione smiled. "Girls night in."

Saffron clapped. "Let's grab some girly movies and watch those while we have dinner."

Hermione couldn't argue with that. She and Harry didn't always have the same taste in movies. He usually preferred action films---the more explosions the better.

"How's Aunt Lav?" Saffron asked as they headed downstairs.

"Completely flustered," Hermione said before telling her daughter about Lavender's latest crisis. "She lost her designs for the winter collection. She found out that her assistant leaked them to Witch Weekly..."

Saffron gasped. "Oh no!"

"Luckily, Lav was able to call in some favours and they didn't publish the designs," Hermione told her. "But now Lavender's completely paranoid. She isn't letting ANYONE see her designs and she's keeping them under lock and key."

Saffron shook her head. "I hope she sacked that assistant."

Hermione nodded. "And pressed charges."

"Wow," Saffron was impressed. "Go Aunt Lav!"

"So," Hermione said as they entered the kitchen. "I made lasagne in honour of your being home."

"YUM!" Saffron exclaimed.

"It was either toast or this," Hermione said winking at her.

She giggled. "You're almost hopeless, Mum. Almost."

"Lucky for all of us, I married a bloke who knows his way around a kitchen," Hermione said.

"Daddy's the best," Saffron answered as she helped her mother scoop servings of the lasagne onto two plates. "No, Puddles. You have your kibble over there."

"How has he been getting on at Hogwarts?" Hermione asked.

"He loves it there," Saffron replied. "Sometimes I bring him bits of my dinner back."

"Which I'm sure he loves," Hermione said setting a plate before her daughter. "What do you want to drink, love?"

"Some juice would be great," Saffron loaded everything onto a tray.

"You bring that into the sitting room and I'll get the drinks," Hermione said.

"Sounds good," Saffron replied.

Hermione joined her daughter a few moments later and they sat down. "So you do realise that your father is getting bombarded with questions as to what team you're going to play for next year."

"If all goes well, Puddlemere," Saffron answered. "RJ told me he was going to mention to them how I did in the last game."

Hermione smiled. "And I'm really glad that you made up with RJ."

"I did sort of drag that on, didn't I?" Saffron asked sheepishly.

"Just a little," Hermione admitted.

"Yeah well..." Saffron toyed with her fork. "It wasn't worth being angry at him anymore."

"Life is way too short to worry about grudges," Hermione said. "You and RJ have known each other since you were babies. I remember how you used to follow him around..."

Saffron made a face. "Follow him? He so followed me!"

Hermione laughed. "I must be remembering it wrong."

"I think so," Saffron giggled.

"So what have you chosen for us?" Hermione asked.

"I thought either Steel Magnolias or The Wedding Planner," Saffron held two of them up.

"You choose," Hermione replied. "Either one's fine with me."

Saffron put Steel Magnolias in. "I'll grab the tissues," she joked.

Hermione laughed. "Maybe we can make it through this time without crying..."

"Yeah right," Saffron said, digging into her lasagne. "Mum this is your best batch yet."

"Thank you," Hermione beamed at her.

Saffron leaned against her mother and they watched the movie in silence for awhile. "Mum?"

"Hmm?" Hermione replied.

"Promise not to freak out on me?" Saffron asked.

Hermione picked up the remote and paused the film. She looked at her daughter. "What's on your mind?"

"I've just been doing a lot of thinking lately," Saffron said. "How did you know you were ready to sleep with Daddy?"

Hermione coughed. "Um---"

"I haven't yet," Saffron said quickly. "Because I wasn't sure if I was ready to."

Hermione put her hand over her heart and sighed in relief. "I'm really glad to hear that."

"But you were only a little older than me when you met Daddy, right?" Saffron asked.

"Nineteen," Hermione replied.

"I just wanted to know how you knew you were ready," Saffron said softly.

Hermione looked thoughtfully at her daughter. "Well, your father and I---everything happened so fast for us. But, when the moment arrived, I didn't have any doubts. I knew in my heart that I wanted to be with him."

Saffron thought for a moment. "There were so many times I wanted to with Andrew. We came close... but we never went that far."

Hermione knew that Harry would be glad to hear that. "Sean's not pressuring you, is he?"

"No," Saffron shook her head.

Hermione took Saffron's hands in hers. "Sweetheart, you've always been very responsible. I just hope that when the time does come, you will be careful and take every precaution."

Saffron nodded. "I just don't know if I feel this way about Sean because I'm trying to get over Andrew."

"Andrew was your first love," Hermione said thoughtfully.

"I thought he was my only love," Saffron answered sadly.

"Do you still love him?" Hermione asked.

"Yes," Saffron answered quietly.

"And Sean?" Hermione asked.

"I care about him," Saffron said.

Hermione had expected as much. "But you don't feel the same way for him that you do for Andrew?"

"That's the thing," Saffron replied. "I still love Andrew... I think part of me always will. But I want to move on with Sean. What Andrew and I had is over."

Hermione had seen the photos in the paper of Andrew and his dates. She knew it couldn't have been easy for Saffron to see that. "I just want you to be happy, love."

"I'm trying to be," Saffron leaned against her mother.

"You'll know when the time is right," Hermione told her. She just hoped that her daughter would be careful. It seemed like just yesterday, her little girl was just taking her first steps.

"I promise I'll be careful," Saffron said. "Thanks Mum. You're the best."

"You can always talk to me," Hermione told her. "I hope you know that."

"I know," Saffron nodded. "That's why you're the best."

Hermione gave her a hug.

"You're not going to tell Daddy I asked you about this are you?" Saffron asked.

"It's our little secret," Hermione promised.

"Thank you," Saffron said gratefully. She could just imagine what her father's reaction to her telling him she was thinking of having sex would be.

"You can always come to me with questions about that," Hermione told her. "It'll always stay between us."

Saffron gave her mother another hug. "I just don't think Daddy would---well, that he'd..."

"He wouldn't handle it well," Hermione finished.

"That vein in his neck would start to bulge," Saffron imagined. "And he'd run his hands through his hair and he'd pace back and forth..."

Hermione laughed. "You make him sound like an ogre, Saffy." she teased.

"Hello?" Saffron asked. "Mum, do you remember when I started seeing Peter?"

"He just doesn't like to see you grow up," Hermione defended her husband. "You're his baby girl, Saffron."

"I bet he didn't mind hearing about Ethan's first time," Saffron said and then her face scrunched up in disgust. "Eww...Ethan and sex....bad, bad visual."

Hermione laughed again.

"What time was Ethan's curfew when he was my age?" Saffron asked.

"Eleven," Hermione replied.

"Mine's ten," Saffron pointed out. "When did Ethan get to date?"

"Um, well," Hermione said. "He---I don't think we ever had an age limit on him, now that I think about it."

"What?" Saffron asked. "Mum!"

"It never came up," Hermione said.

"Well why does Dad keep pushing back my curfew?" Saffron asked.

"I didn't realise that he had," Hermione said truthfully. "There's nothing that says you can't stay out until 11."

Saffron grinned. "YES!"

"You are just as responsible as your brother," Hermione said.

"More so," Saffron replied.

The fireplace roared to life, startling both of them. Hermione gasped when she saw her husband, covered in some tar like substance. At least, she thought it was him.

"Daddy?" Saffron asked standing up. "What happened to you?"

"I had a problem," Harry said sourly.

"You weren't scheduled to be back until tomorrow?" Hermione asked.

"We finished early," Harry replied. "Turns out these kids were behind the whole thing and they booby-trapped that house we were staking out."

"You'd better go take a shower and get that stuff off you," Hermione said.

"Can't you just use a wand?" Saffron asked. "A cleaning spell?"

"Tried that already," Harry replied.

"How old were they?" Saffron asked.

"Seventeen year old boys," Harry said grimly.

"Did you catch them?" Saffron asked.

"Oh yes," Harry answered. "Your brother did most of that, actually."

"That's good at least," Saffron said stepping closer, but then backtracking when she got a whiff of her father. "If it makes you feel better, Mum made dinner."

"Lasagne?" Harry asked.

"Saffron, why don't you warm your father up a plate?" Hermione asked. "I'll help him upstairs."

"Okay," Saffron disappeared into the kitchen.

"Come on," Hermione said to Harry. "Off to the shower with you."

"Stupid kids," Harry grumbled.

"They're quite stupid," Hermione agreed. "You're really starting to stink up the room, too."

"They weren't laughing after we notified their parents," Harry said following his wife upstairs.

"I'm sure they weren’t," Hermione said, reaching into the shower.

"How's Saffy?" Harry asked kicking off his tar-coated boots.

"Good," Hermione said, adjusting the temperature. "I'm so glad she's home."

"Hopefully I won't be long in here," Harry told his wife.

"I'll get your plate together," Hermione smiled at him. "I'd risk giving you a kiss, but I may pass out from the fumes."

"I understand," Harry said. "Thanks, Hermione."

"Of course," Hermione said. "See you downstairs in a few."

"So much for our girl’s night in," Saffron said to her mother when Hermione entered the kitchen.

Hermione smiled. "We finished our talk just in time, didn't we?"

"Just in time," Saffron agreed. "But I am glad we had a chance to talk.'

"Me too," Hermione agreed.

Saffron grinned. "I noticed that we had some triple chocolate fudge ice cream..."

"I think some of that is just what the healer ordered," Hermione nodded, reaching into the icebox.

Saffron smiled as she looked at her mother. It was good to talk to someone about how she was feeling. She'd meant what she'd said to her mum. What she and Andrew had was over. She had to move on. Sean cared about her. He'd said as much.

So perhaps things would progress a little further between them now. Saffron figured she'd see how it all went when they saw each other the next day.

*** *** ***

It was Easter Sunday, and as usual, everyone was gathered at the Burrow. Currently, all the younger children were out back enjoying a monster Easter Egg hunt that Arthur and Molly had organised while the teenagers were enjoying themselves in the kitchen.

“And the scouts were really impressed when I told them about you getting back on the broom and keeping a hold of the Snitch,” RJ said to Saffron.

Saffron grinned. She wanted nothing more than to play for Puddlemere.

"That was an amazing game," Alexa agreed. "I still can't believe how good Meems is."

"She's our secret weapon," Saffron said. "One of the reasons we're undefeated."

RJ laughed "Who'd have thought?" he stood up as Audrey came back from the loo.

"This house is amazing," Audrey said. "It really, really is."

"I always loved being here as a kid," RJ told her. "Later we'll take a walk out back and I'll show you the swimming hole."

Audrey smiled and sat back down beside him.

"How are you doing over there, Sassy?" RJ asked. He'd nearly fallen over in hysterics when he'd heard Chloe call out for Saffron earlier.

Saffron threw a crisp at him. "I'd rather be Sassy than what she calls you."

"I thought that was cute," Audrey reassured her boyfriend. "And she did give you a big hug after she said it."

"Yeah," RJ said. "Wretch. That was just great."

Saffron giggled. "She's adorable."

Alexa leaned against Gabriel, who was alternating between the conversation at hand and the large textbook sitting just to his side.

Saffron looked at her cousin. "Okay...what has you so engrossed over here.."

Gabriel held up the book. "Biochem."

"Thrilling," Saffron said dryly. "Come on Gabe..."

"Okay, okay," Gabriel said putting the book away.

Molly came into the kitchen looking a bit flustered. "Don't mind me," she told them. "I'm getting more sweets for the children. That Emma...."

"Did she eat it all?" RJ chuckled.

Molly laughed. "She had the triplets and little Chloe following her instead of looking for the eggs."

Audrey laughed too. "That little girl is too much."

"Oh you have no idea," Saffron told her. "I baby-sit them sometimes, and once she ate a whole box of mac and cheese on her own."

RJ laughed. "She is a Weasley."

Alexa smiled. "And how's little Adam coming along, Mrs. Weasley?"

"He's enjoying himself very much," Molly said. "Emma's got him trained quite well."

"Come on," Saffron said to Sean. "I have to see them."

"Sure," Sean stood up and took her hand.

The others followed them outside where the children were all sitting on a blanket looking enthralled by what Emma was saying.

"Kay," Emma announced, holding up a red-coloured egg. "Who wants the red one?"

"Me!" Casey raised her hand. "Me, Em!"

Emma handed her cousin the egg. "Kay, Case. Here you go."

"Blue," Noah pointed to another. "Me!"

"What's magic word, Noah?" Emma asked holding it up.

"Please," Noah replied. "No waste!"

Emma beamed at him before handing over the blue egg.

"Allie?" Saffron asked. "What is she doing?"

"Since she found all the eggs, she's dividing them up," Allison explained.

"She found ALL those eggs?" Saffron asked incredulously.

"All of them except for the ones Katie and Caroline found," Allison said.

"Adam!" Emma admonished. "No eat the eggs yet!"

"Mmmmm," Adam tried to bite through the plastic.

"Where's Hannah?" Saffron asked. "I thought they were here too."

"She went in to help Frankie with the babies," Allison explained, gently prying the egg away from her son.

"I'm saving eggs for Han," Emma told Saffron. "Don't worry."

"That's nice of you Em," Saffron said, squeezing Sean's hand.

"Okay," Emma said holding up a green one after she looked inside at the sweets. "Ooooh....this one has Bertie Botts!"

"I want!" Aidan said. "Please?"

Emma handed the egg to Aidan. "Happy Easter, Aidan!"

"Tanks, Em." Aidan broke open the egg.

RJ sat down beside his nephew. "Aidan, can I have one?"

"Kay," Aidan said, handing him a sticky bean.

RJ popped it into his mouth and nearly gagged. "Earwax."

"What?" Audrey asked as she sat down next to him. "You have EARWAX flavoured jelly beans?"

"Oh yeah," RJ said. "They have good flavours too, but they also have some horrible ones, too. Like, earthworm, grass, rotten egg."

Saffron squirmed. "Vomit, too."

"That is so gross," Audrey wrinkled her nose.

"Most of the time you get good ones," Allison reassured her. "Lemon drop ones are my favourites."

RJ put an arm around his girlfriend. "I promise to taste test all your jelly beans," he joked.

Audrey nudged him in the ribs. "That's very romantic, RJ."

He leaned in and kissed her. "Only the best for you, you know."

Audrey leaned against him and watched the children as they sampled the sweets.

Frankie came back outside with Hannah and the twins, who were kipping in the pram.

"Frankie," Saffron breathed as she hurried over to them. "They're just gorgeous!"

"They are, aren't they?" Frankie said looking adoringly at her children. "I know I'm biased."

"All three of them are gorgeous," Saffron opened her arms up to Hannah.

Hannah gave her a hug. "Saffy? Will you plait my hair just like yours?"

Saffron laughed. "You always want me to do that, don't you?"

Hannah nodded. "Please?"

"We'll do it right now," Saffron looked over and saw Sean talking to RJ and Audrey.

Frankie pushed the pram over to sit beside Maddie and Ethan. "They wanted to say hello to their godparents, but I couldn't keep them awake."

"That's okay," Ethan said with a grin.

"Will is still with Arthur," Frankie told them. "I think we might never see him again. It's his own fault for bringing him our old paper shredder."

Ethan laughed. "It was the same way with the toaster, right Mads?"

"Right," Maddie said forcing a smile.

"Are you okay?" Frankie peered at her best friend.

Maddie nodded. "Yeah, I'm fine. I'm just going to dash inside and get some more lemonade. Can I get you anything?"

"I'm fine..." Frankie's voice trailed off as Maddie rushed inside.

"I'm sorry," Ethan apologised. "It's not you, Frankie. She's just---"

"She's what?" Frankie asked quietly.

Ethan didn't want to make Frankie feel bad. He also didn't want to betray Maddie's confidence. "Really stressed with work."

"Oh," Frankie tucked the blanket in closer around Isabelle. "I thought she might be angry with me about something."

"So," Ethan said eager to change the subject. "When are you going back to work?"

"I'm working from home when I get a spare hour or two," Frankie said. "But I'm in no rush to go back to the office."

"And how's Hannah adjusting?" Ethan asked.

"She's wonderful," Frankie said. "Always willing to help out and she just loves them."

"I'm really happy for you, Frankie," Ethan said.

"Thanks," Frankie smiled at him. "And I hope you and Maddie will have little ones of your own soon. You're going to be such great parents."

Ethan nodded. He hoped it would happen for them soon, too. He couldn't stand seeing Maddie in pain.

His wife was currently in the kitchen, sobbing into a handkerchief. She kept telling herself that she would get over this and that it would happen for her and Ethan when the time was right, but it just wasn't any comfort.

"Maddie?" Hermione had come into the kitchen for some juice. "Sweetheart, is something wrong?"

Maddie turned around and readied herself to say that she was fine, but the words didn't come. Instead, she just shook her head.

"Did you and Ethan fight?" Hermione was concerned.

"No," Maddie said wiping at her eyes. "I'm just---we're still having---"

Hermione put a comforting arm around her daughter in law. "You can tell me if something's wrong, Maddie."

Maddie told Hermione everything---about how she and Ethan had been trying for months now to have a baby. She told her mother-in-law about how jealous she was of her sister, sisters-in-law, and best friend. "I'm not a jealous person, Hermione."

"I know you aren't," Hermione told her. "This is normal for you to feel, Maddie. I was the same way."

"You were?" Maddie asked.

"I was quite jealous- of your mother in fact," Hermione said. "She was pregnant with Jon and Josh and I was having all sorts of trouble conceiving again."

"How did you get through it?" Maddie asked.

"Harry," Hermione said. "And Julie was only three years old- I knew I had to shape up. We also saw a family counsellor for a short time."

"Do you think it would help me to talk to someone?" Maddie asked. "I hate feeling like this."

"I think perhaps you and Ethan ought to talk to someone together," Hermione smoothed back the blonde's hair.

Maddie gave her a hug. She wished she'd talked to Hermione sooner. If anyone knew what she was going through, it was Hermione.

"Ethan loves you so much," Hermione held the younger woman tightly. "And we all do too. You're a wonderful person, Maddie."

"I've been horrible to Frankie," Maddie admitted. "I've avoided her."

"I'm sure she's not angry with you," Hermione said. "You might want to explain things to her though."

"Did you talk to my mum?" Maddie asked. "When she was pregnant with Josh and Jon?"

"I told her what was wrong," Hermione nodded. "She was very understanding. That's how your mum is."

"That she is," Maddie said softly. She felt better now that she'd gotten her feelings out. Perhaps it would help to talk to a therapist about what she was feeling.

"I know it's going to happen for you," Hermione told her. "It just takes some patience. And I'm here for you whenever you need to talk."

"Thank you," Maddie said giving her another hug.

"Would you like to go back outside?" Hermione asked. "Or shall I send my son in here?"

"I'll come back outside with you," Maddie said dabbing at her eyes with the handkerchief.

"That's a girl," Hermione gave her hand an encouraging squeeze.

Maddie followed Hermione back outside. It really was a beautiful day.

Ethan saw his wife come back out and realised she'd been crying. "I'll be right back," he said to Frankie as he crossed the yard towards her.

"Mads?" Ethan asked. "Sweetheart?"

"I'm okay," Maddie said. "Really- your mum and I had a nice talk inside."

Ethan smiled at his mother. "Thanks, Mum."

Hermione smiled back. "Anytime, love."

"You ready to join the others?" Ethan asked his wife.

Maddie nodded. "I owe Frankie an apology."

"Come on then," Ethan said taking her hand.

"Hi," Maddie smiled tentatively at her best friend as they rejoined her.

"Hey," Frankie said. She saw her friend's eyes and knew that she'd been crying. "Maddie---"

Maddie shook her head. "I'm all right," she said, sitting down. "I'm so sorry I haven't been a good friend to you since the twins were born."

"What are you talking about?" Frankie asked. "Maddie, you've been a great friend."

"No I haven't," Maddie said as tears welled up in her eyes. "I've been so jealous of the fact that you have three children, and I have none. I couldn't stand feeling this way, and I didn't want you to know, so I was avoiding you."

Frankie had no idea that Maddie had felt this way. "Maddie..."

"I am so sorry," Maddie wiped at her eyes with the soggy handkerchief.

"You don't have to apologise," Frankie said giving her friend a hug. "I wish you'd have said something before."

"I didn't know how to even approach it when I didn't want to think about it," Maddie explained. "I just... I'm so confused. We've been trying so hard and we just haven't had any luck."

"It's going to happen," Frankie tried to reassure her. "And just think, you and Ethan get to have all that fun trying..."

Maddie had to smile at that. "That's very true."

"You can tell me anything," Frankie told her. "I want to help anyway that I can."

"Thank you," Maddie said softly. "And I want to put this aside and help you out too."

As if on cue, Isabelle started to cry from the pram.

"All right, godmother," Frankie smiled at her.

Maddie walked over to the pram and gingerly lifted Isabelle. "Hello, Miss Izzie."

Isabelle looked at her with her dark eyes and let out a tiny whimper.

Maddie placed a kiss on Isabelle's soft forehead.

"I think she loves you," Frankie smiled at her.

"The feeling is entirely mutual," Maddie said sitting down with the baby.

"She might be hungry," Frankie said. "I'll have to take her inside if she starts crying again."

"I think she didn't want to miss the excitement," Maddie said looking down at Isabelle.

"She's just like me," Frankie grinned.

"She looks just like you," Maddie said smiling as Isabelle raised her little hand.

"And Nathan looks so much like Will," Frankie said. "They both have his eyes."

Ethan stood behind Maddie and made a goofy face at Isabelle. The baby didn't react and Frankie laughed.

"See, like me, she doesn't find you very funny either, Ethan," Frankie said grinning at him.

"That's just hilarious," Ethan said sarcastically.

Maddie laughed. "Your humour is an acquired taste, Ethan."

"Just as long as you love it," Ethan sent her a goofy smile.

"I do," Maddie said. "Hey---do you want to hold her?"

"Sure," Ethan said, sitting down next to his wife.

"Here she is," Maddie said gingerly handing Isabelle to him.

"Hey," Ethan said, taking the small baby into his arms. "She's not crying!"

"Give her time," Saffron joked. "She's not smelled your breath yet."

"Whatever you say, Sassy," Ethan smirked at her.

Saffron responded by sticking her tongue out at him.

"RJ, I'm going to send home a plate with you," Molly told her grandson. "Since Andrew couldn't come today..."

"Thanks Nana," RJ said. "He'll appreciate that."

Andrew was spending Easter with Natalia and her family. Saffron felt a twinge of jealousy at the thought of him spending the holiday with another girl's family.

RJ glanced at Saffron and quickly changed the subject. "Audrey, can I get you anything else to drink?"

"I'd love a glass of lemonade," Audrey said.

"I'll be right back," RJ leaned in and gave her a quick kiss.

Audrey moved over to sit beside Saffron and Hannah. "Your hair looks pretty, Hannah," Audrey said.

"Thank you," Hannah said shyly. "Saffy did it for me."

"She did a good job," Audrey said tugging on one of Hannah's plaits.

"Thanks," Hannah giggled.

"I plait my hair most of the time," Saffron told Audrey. "It's all over the place if I don't."

"Mine is just wavy," Audrey replied with a grin. "I don't have too much trouble with it."

"You're lucky," Saffron said.

Audrey smiled at her. "So you and I have never really had a chance to get to know one another..."

"Not really," Saffron agreed. "This is your first time at the Burrow, right?"

Audrey nodded. "This is such a fantastic place."

"It is," Saffron said. "And the Weasleys are great people..."

"What's the story with them?" Audrey asked motioning to where George was talking to Angelina and Fred was scowling.

Saffron giggled. "Well, Angelina used to be Fred's girlfriend, like 50 years ago. And when George ran into her, he asked her out. They haven't been talking since Christmas!"

"A love triangle," Audrey said nodding.

"A what?" Hannah asked scrunching up her nose in confusion.

"A love triangle," Audrey replied. "When two people are in love with the same person."

"I've read about those!" Hannah exclaimed. "In the magazines Mummy and I read!"

Saffron laughed. "She reads the advice columns, does she?"

"We read them all the time," Hannah said.

"I have a confession to make," Audrey said blushing. "I read them, too."

"So do I," Saffron said with a grin. "They're so fun."

"The only bad thing is you never find out how it turns out," Hannah said.

Audrey nodded. "That's definitely not the best part of it."

Saffron smiled at the other girl. She couldn't help but like Audrey.

RJ came back out carrying three glasses of lemonade. "I thought you girls would want some, too."

"Thanks," Saffron grinned at him. "Appreciate it, Faerie boy."

"Right back at you, Sassy," RJ said. "Hey there, Hannah."

"Hi RJ," Hannah carefully took the glass. "Thank you."

"I heard you are a good big sister," RJ said. "Just as good as Maddie, Drew, and Dar are to me."

Hannah nodded. "I'm helping Mummy out a lot."

"Even changing nappies?" RJ asked.

"I'm trying," Hannah giggled. "Daddy usually has to help me."

Audrey nudged him. "I think next time one of those babies needs a change, YOU should do it."

"Yeah right," RJ slid an arm around her.

A few feet away, Maddie watched the teenagers with Hannah and was glad to see that they all seemed to be getting along.

An odd feeling came over her, though, and she closed her eyes. The picture was a little blurry, but she could make out a man pacing back and forth in a small room.

"Going to get them," she could hear him mumble. "Mine..."

Maddie tried to focus, but his face was distorted. Who was this man? And why did he sound so angry? His voice sent shivers up and down her spine.

"Mads?" a voice made her snap out of her vision.

"Hmm?" Maddie asked distractedly.

"Are you okay?" Will looked at her with concern.

Maddie met his gaze. "Yeah----yeah, I'm fine."

Will nodded. "Have a vision?"

"Yes," Maddie said quietly. She told him what she'd seen. "But I don't know who it was, Will."

"Maybe it was just something random," Will suggested.

"Do you think?" Maddie asked.

"Perhaps," Will nodded. "Do you have to go in and document it?"

"I have to put it in the pensieve," Maddie said getting to her feet. "Can you---can you tell Ethan that I'll be back."

"Sure," Will nodded.

Maddie hoped Will was right and this was just a random vision, but she couldn't shake the feeling that this was important. Someone's life could be at stake.

201. Chapter 201

Authors’ note: One of the supporting players in the Last Dance cast gets to take center stage so to speak. This is mostly about Mimi and how her family celebrates her birthday. There’s also some RJ/Audrey and something else happens but…that’s all we can say about that.

Thank you for the great response to Chapter 200! We appreciate your comments and thoughts! Thank you for reading our “little” story!

It was Mimi's birthday, and her mother had invited Oliver Wood and Jake over for dinner that evening. She'd made all of Mimi's favourite foods and they were all currently enjoying themselves.

"It's not everyday that my daughter turns 18," Cheryl said smiling at her.

Mimi blushed. "Thanks Mum."

"These potatoes are fantastic, Mrs. Doyle," Jake said spooning another spoonful on his plate.

"Thank you Jake," Cheryl said. "Eat up- or I'll have to send you home with some."

The doorbell rang and Cheryl excused herself to answer it.

"Your mother is a wonderful cook," Oliver said to Mimi when Cheryl had gone. "This is better than a Hogwarts feast."

"She's really great, isn't she?" Mimi asked proudly.

"Mary Margaret?" a familiar male voice said from the doorway. Mimi froze.

Cheryl appeared again, her smile gone. Behind her was Mimi's father.

"What are you doing here?" Mimi asked icily.

"It's your birthday," Fred Doyle said. "And I haven't seen you in awhile."

Cheryl looked at her ex-husband. "Um, Fred. Would you like to join us? We just sat down..."

"There's no room," Mimi said abruptly.

"Mimi, why don't you help me in the kitchen?" Cheryl asked her daughter.

Mimi glared at her father and shoved her chair back.

Reluctantly, she followed her mother into the kitchen.

"Mimi," Cheryl said evenly. "Your father does love you very much. He just wanted to stop in and wish you a happy birthday and give you your present."

"If he loved me so much he shouldn't have cheated on you and broke up our family," Mimi crossed her arms.

"No matter what, he does love you," Cheryl said reaching into the cabinet for another plate. "Please try and be civil to him. He's not going to be here long."

"Fine," Mimi said crossly.

Cheryl asked her daughter to grab some extra silverware, which Mimi did reluctantly. This had been such a great evening and now here he was---ruining it.

They went back into the dining room. Oliver looked a bit out of place while Fred was talking quietly to Jake.

"Mary Margaret," Fred said standing back up when she came back into the room. "You look beautiful, sweetheart. Jake here was just telling me about your last two matches. I can't believe my little girl is playing Quidditch!"

Mimi shrugged. "Thanks to Professor Wood."

"I just showed her a few tips," Oliver said. "She picked everything up really fast."

"She's an amazing Keeper," Jake said proudly.

"I really would like to see your next match," Fred said. He would have gone to the others, but Cheryl told him that Mimi wasn't comfortable with him being there.

Mimi shrugged again. "I don't know when it is," she lied.

"Oh," Fred said quietly. "I-I see."

Mimi dug her spoon into her potatoes and pointedly ignored her father. It still hurt to see him now, knowing what he had done.

"How are things at St. Mungos?" Oliver asked the other man politely.

Fred nodded. "Couldn't be better, actually."

"I bet you see some strange things," Jake chimed in.

"Every day it's something new," Fred replied.

"And how is Amanda?" Mimi asked sarcastically.

Fred looked down at his plate. "I'm not seeing her anymore, Mary Margaret."

"Would you stop calling me that?" Mimi snapped.

"I'm sorry, sweetheart," Fred said quietly.

Mimi shook her head and stared back down at her plate, pushing her food around.

"I don't want to make you uncomfortable," Fred continued.

"Too late," Mimi replied coldly.

Fred reached into his pocket and produced an envelope and a small box. "This is for you, Mar---Mimi."

"I don't want it," Mimi shook her head.

Fred tried to hide his disappointment. "Mimi, if I could take back what happened, I would. I'm so sorry that I hurt you and your mum...."

"It's too late for all of that!" Mimi snapped. "Professor Wood has made her happier than she ever was with you!"

"Jake, how about you and I step outside and let them have their privacy?" Oliver asked pushing back from his chair.

"Yes sir," Jake stood up and followed the headmaster out of the room.

"Maybe I should go too," Cheryl said starting to get up.

"I'd very much like to speak to Mimi alone for a few minutes," Fred replied.

Mimi glared at him, but didn't say anything.

"I'll just be in the kitchen," Cheryl told her daughter.

Fred waited until everyone was gone before he spoke. "I know you were very hurt by what happened--" he began.

"You didn't even think about me or mum when you were with that----that woman!" Mimi interjected angrily.

"I was selfish," Fred nodded. "But I'm still your father, Mimi. Despite the mistakes I've made, I still love you very much."

Tears welled up in Mimi's eyes. "You were my dad. I used to look up to you, but now---"

"I still am your dad," Fred said gently.

Mimi looked away from him. She wanted to go into the kitchen with her mother. Being here alone with him made her feel disloyal.

"Your mother and I are making an effort to get along for your sake," Fred continued. "We know that there's no chance of reconciliation. But we both want to be there for you."

"Every time I look at you, I think about what you did," Mimi said her voice shaking. "I don't know if I can get past that, Daddy."

"I hope you can try," Fred answered. "I may have made a mistake, but I never meant to hurt you, Mar-- Mimi."

"You and Mum are the only ones I let call me that," Mimi said wiping at her eyes.

Fred chanced putting an arm around his daughter and was glad when she didn't pull away.

"I have missed you," she admitted.

"I thought about you every day," Fred told her.

Mimi pulled away to look at him properly. "Mum said you moved to a flat in Surrey."

Fred nodded. "It's a nice place. I hope you'll come to visit me there."

"You didn't decorate it yourself, did you?" Mimi asked.

"It came furnished," Fred said with a smile.

"That's good," Mimi said smiling back at him for the first time in what seemed like forever.

"How about you open your present?" Fred asking picking up the card and box and handing it to her.

"Okay," Mimi replied, tearing back the paper. Inside was a pretty silver bracelet.

"What do you think?" Fred asked hopefully.

"It's really nice, Dad." Mimi said. "Thanks."

"You're welcome," Fred said giving her a hug.

Cheryl poked her head in. "Are we all okay now?"

"Getting there," Fred replied. "Thanks for letting us have a moment, Cheryl."

"Sure thing," Cheryl replied. "I'll tell Oliver and Jake it's safe."

Fred looked over at his daughter and smiled. "I can't believe you're 18 years old, Mimi."

"I grew up kind of fast," Mimi said with a small smile.

"Too fast," Fred said. "It seems like just yesterday, you were following me around in the backyard."

Mimi nodded. "Feels like a long time ago to me." she said as Jake sat back down next to her.

"Where is Elizabeth?" Fred asked. "I would have thought she'd be here."

Mimi shook her head. "She stayed at school. But, she sent me a card and some really nice makeup."

"You don't need makeup," Jake said with a grin.

"Good answer," Mimi said grinning back at him.

Oliver looked at Cheryl. "Everything all right with you?" he asked softly.

She nodded. "I'm really glad you're here."

"I'm glad you invited me," he said, reaching for her hand. "I don't get to see you often enough during the school year."

"We have the weekends, sometimes," Cheryl said smiling at him.

"I really ought to have you come out for a Hogsmeade weekend," Oliver said thoughtfully.

"I can go a little shopping crazy in Hogsmeade," Cheryl warned him.

"Like mother like daughter," Oliver quipped.

"Very funny," Cheryl said hitting him playfully on the arm.

Mimi noticed the wistful expression on her father's face as he watched her mother and Oliver. She did feel a little satisfaction at that given how hard it had been for her mother to get over her father and what he'd done.

Jake squeezed Mimi's hand. "Save some room for when I take you out for ice cream later."

"I will," Mimi promised.

Jake gave her a quick kiss.

"I think we're ready for cake," Cheryl announced.

"You made chocolate, right Mum?" Mimi asked.

"Mimi, have you ever had any other flavour for you birthday cakes?" Cheryl asked with a grin.

"No," Mimi laughed. "And you make the best cake in the world."

Cheryl smiled. "Only the best for my girl."

Fred nodded. "I'm glad I got to stay, Mimi. Thank you."

"I'm---I'm glad you could be here, too," Mimi said softly.

Cheryl was proud of her daughter and smiled at her.

Mimi smiled back. This had been a very tough evening, but she had missed her father. She knew she'd never forget what had happened, but she was going to try and find some way to forgive him.

*** *** ***

Audrey closed her eyes and sighed happily. She'd had a long day of waiting tables at the pub and her feet were killing her. She didn't know what RJ was doing but he seemed to have magic fingers as he massaged her sore feet.

"That definitely was a happy sound," he teased her.

"Very happy," Audrey said her eyes still closed.

"How busy was it, really?" RJ asked.

"Well, there was a retirement party," Audrey said. "And then there was a stag party....and that was just the first hour...."

"Jeez," RJ muttered, moving to her other foot.

"But it's good for business," Audrey said. "And I did well in tips."

"So maybe you'll buy ME dinner next time we go out," he joked.

"You're the professional athlete," Audrey said opening her eyes and grinning at him. "With the big salary."

"Yeah, yeah." RJ laughed. "You win again."

Audrey laughed. "Yay!"

"Your prize..." RJ kissed the top of her foot. "Is me..."

Audrey rolled her eyes, but was laughing. "That's it?"

"That's it?" RJ pretended to be insulted. "I'm telling you Marlowe..."

"Only joking," Audrey reassured him. "I like having you all to myself."

"You do," he answered, moving up to the sofa. "All to yourself..."

"Andrew's on another date, is he?" Audrey asked.

"Yeah," RJ answered.

"Come here then," Audrey said huskily.

"What are you going to do to me?" RJ asked devilishly.

"One way to find out," Audrey purred.

RJ grinned as she pulled him to her. "Show me what you're made of Marlowe."

Audrey wrapped her arms around him and kissed him.

RJ deepened it immediately, pushing her down onto the sofa.

Audrey loved the way that he kissed and how he knew just where to touch her. She closed her eyes and just relaxed in his arms.

He slid his hands up under her shirt, stroking her smooth, warm skin.

Audrey arched against him. "Mmm, RJ."

"If you do that again I don't know what I'll be responsible for doing," he said, only half joking.

Audrey opened her eyes and looked up at him. "Sorry."

"It's okay," he said, pushing her hair off her forehead. "You get me a little excited sometimes."

"Sometimes?" Audrey teased.

"Most of the time," RJ corrected, kissing her again.

Despite their rocky start, Audrey had fallen hard for him. She thought about him most of the time and she felt so happy when she was with him.

RJ pushed himself off to her side and wrapped his arms back around her.

Audrey smiled at him. "Why are you looking at me like that?"

"I just love being with you," RJ said. "As much as I possibly can."

"Me too," Audrey said softly.

"I might even have to go so far as to say I'm falling in love with you," RJ said, his voice quiet.

"What?" Audrey asked. "RJ---"

"We've been dating for about nine months now," RJ replied. "And... I just can't stop thinking about you when I'm not with you."

"I feel the same way," she whispered.

"You do?" RJ's face split with a grin.

Audrey nodded. "I haven't felt this way in a long time."

"I haven't either," he replied. "Not since I was with Lexie."

Audrey gave him a kiss. "I love spending time with you."

"We could spend more time together if you wanted to spend the night," RJ hinted.

"Spend the night?" Audrey stammered.

"Just spend the night," RJ said hastily. "Sleep over. Nothing else."

"It's not that I haven't thought about us doing that," Audrey said. "I have. It's just---"

"What?" he asked softly.

"I'm---well, I've never," Audrey said blushing. "I've never done that before and I'm not sure that I'm ready to take that step with you."

"We don't have to do that," RJ replied. "I just... I guess I just thought sometime you might like to stay over, that's all. We can forget I said anything."

"I'd like to stay over," Audrey said.

"You would?" he asked in surprise.

Audrey nodded. "It would be nice to wake up with you."

RJ kissed her. "That it would," he agreed. "And I don't have practise until noon tomorrow."

"We can have a proper lie-in," Audrey smiled.

"I could also make you breakfast in bed," RJ said with a lazy grin.

Audrey laughed. "You sure are pulling all the punches to get me to stay."

"You already agreed to stay," RJ poked her side.

"Come on then," Audrey said. "It's been a long day and I'm knackered."

RJ helped her up. "You can wear one of my shirts," he said, leading her down the hall.

"I might not give it back," Audrey teased.

"I can deal with that," RJ said, closing the bedroom door behind him. He'd made a half arsed attempt to pick up earlier, and the comforter was thrown carelessly over the bed while his dirty clothes had been tossed in the corner.

"You are such a bloke," Audrey said shaking her head.

"I tried to clean up," he said sheepishly.

"You should see my older brother's flat," Audrey said. "He doesn't even make an effort to clean up when he has us over."

"Andrew's a bit of a neat freak," RJ said. "That's why the rest of this place is spotless."

"It's part of your charm," Audrey reassured him. He handed her a t-shirt and she smiled at him. "Thank you."

"You can change in here," he told her. "I'll just go use the loo."

"Okay," Audrey said.

RJ was glad that his girlfriend wanted to spend the night. He was also ecstatic that she felt the same way about him as he did about her.

On his way back from the loo, he ran into Andrew.

"Alright?" Andrew asked.

"Yeah," RJ replied. "When did you get in?"

"Just now," Andrew replied.

"You seem to be getting kind of serious with Natalia," RJ commented.

Andrew nodded. He was getting closer to Natalia. He'd spent Easter with her family and he'd liked spending time with her. "She's fun."

"Cool," RJ smiled at him. "Audrey's staying over. We were just going to bed."

"Natalia's waiting for me in the sitting room," Andrew said motioning over his shoulder.

RJ raised his eyebrow in question. "Oh yeah?"

Andrew nodded. "Yeah, so why am I standing here talking to your ugly mug?"

"Behave yourself in there," RJ punched his shoulder.

Andrew laughed. "You too, Casanova."

"Who?" RJ asked.

"Never mind," Andrew said walking back into the sitting room where Natalia was looking at their music collection. "See anything there that you like?"

Natalia smiled. "A few things..."

"You can put on whatever you want," Andrew said sitting down beside her on the floor.

"Okay," she answered. "I know it's corny, but I still love Celestina Warbeck."

"You know that she was the first person I ever had a crush on?" Andrew admitted sheepishly.

Natalia laughed. "Really?"

"I was seven years old at the time," Andrew said defensively.

"I think it's cute," Natalia assured him.

"What about you?" Andrew asked. "Who did you have your first crush on?"

"Oliver Wood," Natalia said, her face red.

"Good thing you're not a student at Hogwarts then," Andrew said putting his arm around her.

Natalia leaned against him happily and sighed.

"Did you have a good time tonight?" Andrew asked.

"I always do when you're with me," Natalia answered softly.

Andrew leaned in and kissed her. "I feel the same way when I'm with you."

She blushed. "I really like being with you, Andrew."

"I like being with you too," Andrew said. She was beautiful, intelligent and she made him laugh.

"You made settling in here so much easier," Natalia said, playing with his hair.

"I'm glad I volunteered to help show you around your first week," Andrew said smiling at her.

"I am too," Natalia kissed him again.

Andrew's arms snaked around her waist and he pulled her onto his lap.

"Mmmmm..." Natalia made a sound deep in her throat.

Andrew pulled down the strap of her dress and placed a kiss on her bare shoulder. "Natalia...."

Her breath came in short gasps and she was unable to speak.

"Do you want to stay?" Andrew asked her, his eyes darkening as he looked at her.

"You have no idea how much," she whispered.

Andrew effortlessly stood up with her in his arms. They were both laughing as he carried her into his bedroom.

"Well," RJ said as he heard them come down the hall. "I think Andrew's going to be getting some tonight."

Audrey smacked his arm. "Have you no tact?"

"No," RJ laughed. "I don't think anyone in my family does. Except for Josh---"

Audrey shook her head. "It's a good thing I know when to keep my mouth shut."

RJ turned off the bedside lamp and cuddled up beside his girlfriend.

"I'm glad I stayed," Audrey said with a smile. "I could really get used to this."

"Me too," RJ said softly. "Aud?"

"Yeah?" she asked.

"I know last summer you and I didn't have that great a time at Brighton," RJ said. "But, my family does go there every summer. I was hoping I might convince you to come with me for a weekend or two..."

Audrey turned to look at him. "I'd love to go." she touched his cheek.

"We'll have a great time," RJ promised.

"I know we will," she agreed. "Especially if you promise to take me out somewhere on a boat..."

"I will," RJ said. "Just the two of us."

Audrey grinned and gave him a kiss. "I'll clear it with Vic, but I don't think it'll be a problem."

"I can't wait," RJ said. "And you know my nieces and nephews will love having you around, too."

"You have a great family," Audrey said. "Especially Jon, Allie, and their kids. What a bunch they are!"

RJ laughed. "They're something else, aren't they?"

"Especially Emma," Audrey said. "She still calls me 'Odd'."

"If it makes you feel any better, Adam calls me 'Ruh'," RJ told her.

Audrey laughed. "I like that. Ruh."

"Ruh and Odd," RJ said laughing. "What a pair."

"What a pair indeed," Audrey pulled him down to her.

RJ gave her a good night kiss. "Sweet dreams, Odd."

"You too, Ruh." Audrey replied.

RJ held her until she fell asleep. He wasn't going to rush things. He would give her all the time that she needed.

202. Chapter 202

Authors’ note: You guys kind of freaked out when Andrew and Natalia took their relationship to the next level! We expected that wouldn’t go over too well with the Andrew/Saffy fans, but they are both seeing other people and they’ve decided to move on. That’s all we can say about that for now. This chapter is a little longer than the last one. We hope you enjoy it!

Alexa could hardly believe that she and Gabe had been together for a year. Their relationship had flourished despite the distance between them. And even though Gabriel had been quite busy during the Easter break reading, he'd managed to clear away his last full day in London to spend it with her.

"This is perfect," Alexa said as she sank into the seat next to him. "Right where we were sitting when we got together a year ago."

Gabriel smiled. "And dinner will be ready soon."

"What are we having?" Alexa asked.

"My mom's special chicken casserole," Gabriel told her.

"I can't wait to taste it," Alexa kissed him. "Have I told you how happy you've made me this past year?"

"Maybe once or twice," Gabriel said.

"I'll tell you again then," Alexa said. "I love you, Gabe."

Gabriel cupped her face in his hands. "I love you too, Lexie."

"I'm so glad you were here for this," Alexa replied, kissing him again. "I was worried I'd have to make your books disappear to get you to pay some attention to me."

Gabriel frowned. "I'm sorry. I have finals coming up soon and I really want to be prepared."

"It's okay," Alexa said. "But tonight, it's just about us."

"No big books," Gabriel promised.

"No little ones either," she teased.

Gabriel laughed. "Come on then. I need to check on dinner."

"Okay," Alexa took his hand and followed him into the kitchen.

Gabriel loved his father's kitchen. It was large and had every gadget and appliance known to man.

"Can I help with anything?" Alexa asked.

"Set the table?" Gabriel asked.

"I'm on it," she grinned.

Alexa grabbed her wand and waved it at the table, where silverware, plates and glasses appeared.

"Lazy woman," Gabriel teased.

"Just showing off," Alexa laughed as he grabbed her around the waist.

"That's my girl," Gabriel said. "So...did you tell Saffy yet about getting accepted to UCLA?"

"Not yet," Alexa said. "I'm sort of scared..."

"She'll be happy for you," Gabriel said. "Wouldn't she?"

"I'm sure she would," Alexa replied. "But I'm going to miss her like crazy."

"You should tell her before you leave in August," Gabriel said.

"I'll tell her when we go back to school," Alexa said, burying her face in his shoulder. "I wish I was going to USC with you."

"You'll be close," Gabriel said holding her close. "Within driving distance."

"Or Apparating distance," Alexa grinned up at him.

"As Nico says we'll keep that on the down low," Gabriel said.

"Of course," Alexa kissed him.

"Sit down," Gabriel told her. "Time to eat."

"Good because I'm starving," Alexa replied.

"Coming right up," Gabriel said grinning at her.

Alexa watched her boyfriend as he got their dinner. She was thrilled about going to school so close to him and seeing him as much as she wanted, but it was a huge step for her in leaving England behind.

She thought of Saffron like a sister and they'd been friends since they were 11.

"All right," Gabriel set a plate down. "Let me know what you think."

Alexa broke out of her reverie and picked up her fork.

Gabriel sat down across from her and waited expectantly.

"My compliments to the chef," Alexa said. "This is amazing!"

Gabriel grinned. "I'm glad you like it. It was the first thing my mom taught me to cook. Hers was much better than mine."

"Then it had to be incredible, because this is one of the best meals I've ever had," Alexa smiled at him as he poured them both some champagne.

"Here's to our first year together," Gabriel said holding up his glass.

"The first of many," Alexa said softly, brushing her glass against his.

"So what time does your train leave tomorrow morning?" he asked her.

"Half past nine," Alexa said. "I wish I didn't have to go back."

"My dad's taking me back to the States at noon," Gabriel said. "I don't really care for that portkey travel, but it's better than sitting on a plane for eight hours."

"So true," Alexa agreed. "I'm not too fond of it either."

Gabriel smiled at her. "The summer will be here before we know it."

"We get to go to Brighton again, I hope." Alexa said.

"And I get to see you in a bikini," Gabriel grinned.

"I could put one on for you tonight," Alexa told him, laughing.

Gabriel laughed. "The night is still young."

"Thank Merlin for that," Alexa replied.

Gabriel listened while she talked about the campus trip she and her parents were scheduled to take in June. Her parents weren't too keen on her living all those miles away, but they knew this was a great opportunity for her.

"I hope you'll be able to meet us for dinner while we're there," Alexa told him. "My parents really like you."

"That's good to know," Gabriel said leaning back in his chair. "Since I'm crazy about their daughter."

"Their daughter is crazy about you as well," Alexa set her fork down on her empty plate.

"I hope you want dessert," Gabriel said.

"That depends on what it is," Alexa said coyly. "You?"

"Sticky toffee pudding," Gabriel announced. "Your mom told me it was one of your favourite desserts."

Alexa laughed. "That it is."

Gabriel stood up and walked over to the counter where he'd set aside the pudding. He uncovered the dish and spooned two helpings onto plates. He didn't get that much of a chance to cook with his busy schedule, but he'd enjoyed doing this for his girlfriend.

"That does look delicious," Alexa had sneaked up behind him and slid her arms around his middle.

"It's the first time I've ever made it so go easy on me," Gabriel said turning to look at her.

"I'm sure it'll be delicious," Alexa said not letting him go.

Gabriel took a spoon and dug into the dish. He held it out to Alexa.

She opened her mouth and he fed her. "Good?"

"Mmmmm," Alexa said. "You should give up medicine and open up your own restaurant."

Gabriel laughed. "I'll do it on the side," he joked.

Alexa giggled. "Can I have another bite?"

"Sure," he said, holding up the spoon again.

Alexa took another bite. "If you ever made this for Emma Weasley, she'd love you for the rest of her life."

Gabriel laughed. "That's a good idea, actually. I'm glad I got to see them while I was here."

Alexa smiled at the memory of the red-haired little girl chasing after Gabriel when he'd nicked one of her chocolate bunnies.

"You ate that faster than she ever could," Gabriel pointed out as Alexa polished off her dessert.

"You'd better eat yours or I'll eat it too," Alexa warned. "Don't tell my mom this, but yours is right on par with hers.”

"I'll never tell," Gabriel leaned in and kissed her.

Alexa looped her arms around his neck and kissed him back.

"Want to go back to the theatre?" he asked huskily.

"Absolutely," Alexa replied tugging at his hand.

Gabriel scooped her up. "We'll take you there in style, madam."

Alexa laughed. "Gabe!"

"You deserve the best," he grinned at her.

Alexa smiled at him. "I feel like someone in one of your dad's movies."

"You're far more gorgeous than any old movie star," Gabriel told her softly.

Alexa beamed at him and felt happiness bubbling up inside her as he carried her into the theatre.

"There we are," he said. "Right back in your favourite seats."

"Reserved just for us," Alexa said.

He grinned at her. "So you want to watch a movie... or..."

"We can do both," Alexa said grinning at him. "I love watching movies with you and cuddling and all that other stuff..."

"What other stuff?" Gabriel asked, playing innocent.

"Touching, snogging," Alexa said thoughtfully. "That sort of...stuff."

Gabriel smiled at her as he started a film. "I like stuff."

Alexa smiled at him. "Hey! This is the one we watched that first night!"

"So it is," Gabriel replied with a grin as he reached for her.

Alexa snuggled up close beside him. She felt so happy at this moment. It was hard to believe that tonight would be their last night together for almost a month.

"I really can't wait to have you so close next school year," Gabriel stroked her hair. "And to see you whenever I want."

"Me too," Alexa said. "But you never know, you might get sick of me."

"No way," Gabriel replied. "I love you too much, Lexie."

Alexa smiled. "I love you, too."

Gabriel ignored the movie as he leaned in and kissed his girlfriend, pushing her down onto the seat.

Alexa wrapped her arms around his waist and kissed him back. She shivered as she felt his hand slip underneath her shirt.

Gabriel kissed her harder as he moved his hand up, bringing her shirt along with it.

His touch was soft and gentle and Alexa opened her eyes and looked up at him. "So this is the stuff you like?" she whispered.

"Very much," he answered softly.

"It's almost as good as that toffee pudding," she said giggling.

"Oh yeah?" Gabriel asked tickling her side.

Alexa giggled even harder. "You know I hate to be tickled, Gabe!"

"What are you going to do about it O'Leary?" he asked.

"Tickle you back," Alexa said making a move for him, but he blocked her. "Gabe!"

"I'm faster than you O'Leary," Gabriel was laughing.

"You don't fight fair," she said making another move.

"Nope," he answered with a grin.

"You're lucky I love you," she said before he tickled her again.

"You're my girl," he said, finally letting up.

She smiled up at him, thinking that there was nowhere else in the world she'd rather be. "Um...Gabe?"

"Yeah?" he asked.

"How about we go upstairs to your room?" Alexa asked, taking his hand.

"What?" Gabriel looked at her properly.

"It's our anniversary," Alexa said softly. "And what better time---"

Gabriel was so surprised; he didn't know what to say. "Lexie--"

"If you don't want to," she started to say.

"No," Gabriel replied. "It's not that... I've just... I've never been with a girl before."

"Oh," Alexa said softly. "Um, I thought you might have been with that...Emily..."

Gabriel shook his head. "No way," he answered.

"I love you," Alexa said softly. "And I want to be with you."

"I love you too," Gabriel swallowed as he offered her his hand.

Alexa leaned in kissed him.

Gabriel was nervous but he kissed her back. Alexa had already been with RJ, and he hoped he wouldn't be too awkward with his lack of experience but he wanted to be with her as well.

Gabriel turned off the movie and he turned out the lights in the theatre. His father and stepmother weren't due back until later that evening so he didn't think they'd have to worry about getting caught.

"It's this way," he told her.

Alexa gave his hand a squeeze and together they walked upstairs to his bedroom.

Gabriel was still nervous as he shut the door behind them. "Um..." he began. "I wasn't expecting to do this, and I uh... I don't have anything--"

"It's okay," Alexa reassured him. "We have spells that we use to protect ourselves."

"Okay," Gabriel wiped his sweaty palms on his trousers.

Alexa felt a little nervous, too. She was still surprised that she'd been the one to suggest they do this. The old her would never have had the courage to do that, but Gabe brought that out in her.

Gabriel slid his arms around her waist. "I may be a bit of a wreck, but there's no one I'd rather do this with," he said softly.

"Me either," Alexa said smiling up at him.

The way she was looking at him right now made him feel much more confident. He kissed her again as he walked them both towards his bed.

Alexa giggled nervously when they fell onto the bed.

"Sorry," Gabriel said with a grin. "Not so graceful."

"It's okay," Alexa reassured him.

Gabriel ran his fingers through her hair. "You are so beautiful," he said.

"I love you," Alexa whispered.

"Love you," Gabriel replied. "More than anything."

Alexa wanted to remember every moment of this night. Her doubts and nervousness melted away as she kissed her boyfriend.

He deepened the kiss as he peeled back her clothing, leaving them soon in nothing but their undergarments.

Alexa took a look at him. She'd seen him before in swimming trunks and she'd always thought he had a nice build.

"You checking out the goods, O'Leary?" Gabriel teased her.

"Maybe," Alexa said impishly.

"They're all yours," he said, pulling her close.

Gabriel rolled over so she was on top of him as he worked at trying to unsnap her bra.

Alexa felt her heart do flips as Gabriel struggled with the snap. He was absolutely adorable. She wouldn't tell him that though. "I'll get it," she said.

"I've got it," Gabriel bit his lower lip in concentration.

"Okay," Alexa said smiling at him. He finally managed the snap and slowly peeled the bra off of her. "Now who's admiring the goods?" she teased.

"Me," he said with a grin. "You are completely perfect."

Alexa bent down and kissed him, knowing that this was exactly what she wanted.

Gabriel shifted as she pressed herself on top of him.

"This is it," Alexa whispered.

Gabriel nodded. "I want you, Lexie." he said huskily. "I have since the day I met you."

"You have me," she said touching his cheek.

"Always?" he asked.

"Always," Alexa promised, pulling his boxer shorts down.

Gabriel groaned as Alexa tossed her knickers aside. "My God, Lexie..." he said.

Alexa took the initiative and guided him inside her.

Gabriel stared up at her. "Okay?" he managed to utter.

"Perfect," she replied. He pulled her down for a kiss and Alexa felt the need building up inside her. She rocked forward causing Gabriel to let out a guttural moan.

"That's it," she breathed. "Gabe..."

"Lexie," Gabriel said, not sure of what to do next. He began to move with Alexa.

Alexa nodded. "Yes," she said, running her nails over his chest.

Gabriel's breath caught in his throat when he looked up at her. He'd never seen her like this---so beautiful; so free. "Lexie..."

"This is amazing," she managed as they moved faster. "Gabe!"

Gabriel called out her name and then Alexa fell onto him, her breath ragged. A lazy grin spread across Gabriel's face as the reality of what they'd just done hit him.

"I don't know what you were worried about," Alexa said a few minutes later.

"Worried about disappointing you," Gabriel said smiling at her.

"Never," Alexa stroked back his hair. "You could never do that, Gabe."

"That was amazing," Gabriel said giving her a gentle kiss.

"Completely," Alexa agreed, wrapping her arm around his chest.

"Happy anniversary," Gabriel said.

"Happy Anniversary," she echoed.

*** *** ***

Saffron only had a couple of days left of her Easter vacation. She was going to spend her last day with her parents so tonight was really the last time she'd be able to see Sean before the summer holidays.

Currently they were snogging quite heatedly in the sitting room on the sofa. Sean's hands were sneaking up under her shirt while hers were splayed across his chest.

"I've got something," Sean whispered pulling away from her for a moment. "If we wanted to...."

"What?" Saffron opened her eyes.

"Protection," Sean said breathlessly.

Saffron stared at her boyfriend. "You want us to... to..."

"Your parents aren't home," Sean said smiling at her. "And we love each other. It just---it feels right."

"I care about you, Sean." Saffron told him. "But... I just don't know."

Sean cupped her face in his hands. "Saffy..."

"Yeah?" Saffron answered softly.

"I want to be with you," Sean said.

"I..." Saffron paused.

"What is it?" Sean asked sitting up.

"I don't know," Saffron said quietly. "I'm just not sure if I'm ready."

Sean took her hand. "Saffy, I love you so much."

She couldn't help but think that this was moving so fast. They had only been back together since Christmas.

"I'm sorry," Sean said sincerely. "The last thing I want to do is pressure you."

Saffron smiled at him. "You're fantastic you know."

"You aren't so bad yourself," Sean said giving her a hug. "I just can't help it when I'm around you."

"I can see why," Saffron teased. "But I did like what we were doing."

"You probably didn't picture your first time in the sitting room of your parents' house," Sean said.

"Not really," she confessed.

"Maybe this summer," Sean said thoughtfully. "We could steal away just the two of us."

"At Brighton," Saffron nodded.

Sean leaned in and kissed her. "We'll make it special. I promise."

Saffron ran her fingers through his spiky hair.

"And I do value my life," Sean joked. "Could you imagine what your dad would do if he came home to find us starkers in here?"

"That wouldn't be so good for either of us," Saffron answered.

Puddles hurried into the sitting room and jumped on the couch into Saffron's lap.

"Hi baby," Saffron laughed. "Did you miss me?"

Puddles rested his head on her chest.

"I'd take that as a yes," Sean said with a laugh.

"He's really my number one guy," Saffron quipped. "And he knows it."

"Do I come in second at least?" Sean asked.

"You sure do," Saffron leaned over.

Sean kissed her. "How about I go and get us some more sodas?"

"Okay," Saffron replied. "Thanks Sean."

Sean stood up and walked into the kitchen.

Saffron looked at her dog. "Puddles, what is wrong with me?"

Puddles looked up at her and rested his paws on her chest.

"You know what your problem is," a familiar voice said. "It's me...you're still in love with me." Saffron rolled her eyes. Now, she was hallucinating.

"I think I ought to take up drinking," she muttered to herself.

"What are you doing with that bloke?" Andrew's voice asked.

"Go away," Saffron replied, not wanting to hear her ex's voice.

"You still love me," Andrew's voice rang in her ears .

"No I don't," Saffron lied.

"Yes you do," Andrew said in a sing-song voice. "And there's nothing you can do about it."

Saffron shook her head as Puddles jumped down. "I wish you'd go away."

"Here comes loverboy," Andrew said and Saffron turned her head to see Sean looking at her with a raised eyebrow. "Saf?"

Saffron forced a smile onto her face. "Hi."

Sean handed her a soda. "I heard voices..."

"Just me talking to myself," Saffron shook her head.

"Ahhh," Sean said sitting back down beside her.

"Thanks for the soda," Saffron smiled at him.

"It's the least I can do," Sean said. "I can't get over how big this house is. You sure you've never gotten lost in here?"

Saffron shook her head as she leaned against him. "I know every nook and cranny of this house. I've lived here my entire life."

"Good place to play hide and seek," Sean commented.

Saffron laughed. "Ethan and I used to have foot races in the ballroom."

"And I bet you won them all," Sean slid an arm around her.

"Every single one," Saffron said. "But I think Ethan let me win when I was small. But now I can take him."

Sean grinned. "I bet you could take anyone in there."

Saffron grinned back at him. But her smile fell when she saw Andrew's face instead.

"Saf?" Sean's face was concerned. "Are you all right?"

"Yes," Saffron said hastily. "I'm fine."

"Are you sure?" he touched her cheek.

"Just fine," Saffron said. "I'm moving on."

Sean nodded, still a bit confused.

"So are you looking forward to going back to University?" Saffron asked.

"Sure," Sean nodded. "A few months left of my first year."

"I still can't believe in a few weeks, I'll be finished at Hogwarts," Saffron said.

"What will you do with yourself?" Sean nuzzled her neck.

"Start my plan for world domination," Saffron said closing her eyes.

"Maybe," Saffron said kissing him.

Neither of them noticed heard the front door opening. Ethan had come home from work with his father hoping to get some of his mother's leftover lasagne.

"I'll go and warm it up," Harry told his son.

"Thanks," Ethan replied. "It's been ages since I've had her lasagne."

Ethan was going to use the fireplace to let Maddie know where he was. When he entered the sitting room, he saw his baby sister snogging her boyfriend. "Saffron Grace Potter!" Ethan bellowed in his best imitation of their father.

Saffron gasped and pulled apart from Sean. Her eyes narrowed when he saw it was just her brother.

"Oh calm down," Ethan said laughing. "You're lucky it was me and not the real thing."

"You're a jerk," Saffron snapped at him. "Why are you here?"

"Dad asked if I wanted to stop by after work for leftovers," Ethan said. "Hello, Sean."

"Hi Ethan," Sean's face was red. "Alright?"

"Saffy?" Harry called out. "Sweetheart, did you want leftovers?"

"No we're fine," Saffron said with a sigh.

Puddles growled at Ethan.

"That's right baby," Saffron told her dog. "Go bite him."

"I love you too, Baby Sister," Ethan said.

"Why are you still in here?" Saffron complained.

"Catching up with you crazy kids," Ethan said plopping down in between them.

"I'm about to hex you within an inch of your life," Saffron said sharply.

"It's okay," Sean told her. "I should probably get going anyway."

"You could stay for dinner," Saffron objected.

"Yeah," Ethan said. "Stay for dinner."

"I'll ring my parents and make sure it's okay," Sean reached for his mobile.

Ethan stood up and walked toward the kitchen, but Saffron was hot on his heels.

"What was that all about?" she hissed. "Why would you want him to stay for dinner?"

"I felt bad for interrupting your little interlude," Ethan said.

"Yeah right," Saffron muttered.

Harry was just setting some plates on the table when his children came into the kitchen. "Hiya, Saffron."

"Hi Dad," Saffron said. "Sean's staying for dinner, is that okay?"

"Sure," Harry said. "There's more than enough."

"Great," Saffron replied as the brown haired young man came into the kitchen.

"Hello, Mr. Potter," Sean said politely.

"Hi Sean," Harry nodded to him. "I hear you're joining us for dinner tonight. I hope you like lasagne."

"Absolutely," Sean replied. "Thank you, sir

"Saffy and Sean really worked up an appetite," Ethan said cheekily.

Harry turned and raised his eyebrow at the two teenagers.

"Ethan," Saffron warned.

"Just saying," Ethan shrugged innocently.

"Where's Mum?" Saffron asked changing the subject.

"Working late," Harry replied. "She won't be home until after nine."

"Poor Mum," Saffron said.

"Well she knows we're spending the day together tomorrow," Harry said. "So she's working late tonight."

"My dad's going to help me go over the contract that Puddlemere's offered me," Saffron told Sean.

"Puddlemere's the Quidditch team you want to play for, right?" Sean asked.

Saffron nodded. "The one and only."

All kidding aside, Ethan was proud of his sister. "She received offers from seven teams. That's more than RJ had."

"You'll have to explain the sport to me again," Sean replied.

"I should let you borrow Quidditch for the Ages," Saffron said.

"It's only the greatest book ever written," Ethan told Sean.

"Hogwarts: A History is on the same level," Saffron said thoughtfully. "I think I've read that book about a hundred times."

"Just like your mum," Harry joked. "Even though she never went there."

"Books are amazing," Saffron said. "In fact, I don't think I've ever read one I didn't like. Well, there was this one book where this bloke was talking about a monster in his chest...."

"You know, Ron and RJ used to talk about some book like that," Harry said. "It sounds ridiculous. Some insane author, most likely..."

Ethan rolled his eyes. "What is a monster in the chest anyway?"

"Who even wants to know?" Saffron asked snidely.

"Tuck in," Harry said setting plates in front of Saffron and Sean.

"This looks great sir," Sean replied. "Thank you."

"Saffy's mum made it last night," Harry told him. "It's one of the three things she knows how to make."

"What are the other two?" Sean asked.

"Toast and sandwiches," Harry said.

"Don't forget the rice pudding," Saffron replied.

"Four things then," Harry said sitting down at the table.

"So what are you two up to this evening?" Ethan asked his sister and her boyfriend.

"We were just watching a film," Saffron replied.

"Which one?" Ethan asked.

"Love Actually," Saffron said at the same that Sean said, "Pirates of the Caribbean."

Harry and Ethan exchanged a glance as the two teenagers blushed.

Ethan chuckled. He loved watching Saffron squirm.

His sister sent him a nasty glare. Her palm was itching for her wand so she could wipe the smirk off her brother's face.

"How was work, Dad?" Saffron asked.

"Pretty uneventful today, sweetheart." Harry answered.

"That's good though," Saffron said. She worried about her father, especially when he was on dangerous missions.

"Ethan and I have a weekend assignment coming up in the beginning of May," Harry said.

"Anything serious?" Saffron asked.

"We'll see," Harry replied. "At this point, we can't discuss it."

"Hopefully no kids playing a prank," Saffron said.

"That was foul," Ethan shook his head. "I was so pissed."

"I think you might have deserved it," Saffron commented.

"I'm surprised one of them wasn't you," Ethan returned.

"Believe it or not," Harry said to Sean. "They do sometimes get along."

"Just once in awhile," Saffron replied.

"I love the brat," Ethan said.

Saffron managed a grudging smile. "Yeah, yeah."

"I can't believe you're graduating in a few weeks," Harry said to his daughter.

"And signing to Puddlemere," Saffron's smile turned into a blinding grin.

"We'll go over your contract thoroughly before you sign anything," Harry cautioned.

"I know," Saffron replied. "But I really, really, REALLY can't wait to officially be on the team."

"When does the season start?" Sean asked. He wanted to know everything he could about it since it was important to Saffron.

"Fall," she answered. "But we practise a good deal of the summer."

"Is that what you were doing earlier in the sitting room?" Ethan asked with a grin. "You know when I caught you----"

Saffron kicked her brother's leg, hard.

"OW!" Ethan yelped.

"Shut up," she hissed at him.

"Ethan, quit bothering your sister," Harry said.

"Yeah," Saffron glared at him.

"I was just teasing her, Dad," Ethan said standing up so he could pour himself another glass of juice.

"You're always just teasing," Saffron snapped.

"Can't we enjoy a nice dinner?" Harry asked them.

"If Ethan shuts up for two seconds."

"I was only teasing, Brat," Ethan said sitting back down.

"Golden Boy," Saffron muttered.

"Golden Boy," Ethan repeated. "You know I like the sound of that. Maybe you could call me Sir Golden Boy."

"In your dreams," Saffron retorted.

"So are you looking forward to going back to University, Sean?" Harry asked trying to change the subject to keep the peace.

"I am," Sean nodded. "It's a different feeling, being out on your own like that."

"He has a flat with four other blokes," Saffron told her father.

"All in one?" Harry asked with a laugh. "I remember rooming with four guys. Our place was a mess."

"I know we must have a floor somewhere but I haven't seen it," Sean said laughing.

Saffron shook her head. "Blokes..."

"You're outnumbered here, Saffy," Ethan said.

"But I'm the best looking one," Saffron joked. "That's got to count for something."

Hermione appeared in the doorway looking quite tired. "Hello, everyone."

"Hi Mum," Saffron smiled at her mother. "We're just polishing off your lasagne."

"I hope there's one small piece for me," Hermione said. "I'm starving. I haven't eaten anything since breakfast this morning."

"I'll get you some," Saffron got up.

"Thanks, love," Hermione said gratefully. "Hello, Sean."

"Hello Mrs. Potter," Sean said. "I mean um... Minister."

"You can call me Mrs. Potter, Sean," Hermione said. "Or Hermione."

"Okay," he said, relaxing a bit.

"Tough day, sweetheart?" Harry asked his wife.

"Long," Hermione rubbed her temples.

"Here you are, Mum," Saffron said setting a plate down before her.

"Thank you sweetheart," Hermione answered. "You're good to me."

"You gave me life," Saffron said smiling at her. "The least I can do."

"And what about me?" Harry asked in mock indignation.

"You weren't in labour with me for 16 hours, were you?" Saffron asked.

"Well no... but--" Harry began.

"Only kidding, Daddy," Saffron said giving him a hug.

"Golden girl," Ethan quipped, making them all laugh.

"Nice to see some things haven't changed," Hermione said shaking her head.

"Why would I change?" Saffron asked. "You can't improve upon perfection."

"Sean, how do you put up with her?" Ethan asked.

Sean grinned. "It's not hard."

Saffron scooted her chair over and rested her head on Sean's shoulder.

Hermione smiled at her daughter, glad that she seemed happy again.

"So what's the plan for tomorrow?" Ethan asked his little sister. "Your last day before you go back to school?"

"Well, Mum and Dad and I are going over to Gran's for breakfast," Saffron said. "And then we're coming back here so Dad and I can go over that contract Puddlemere sent over. Then, he promised he would play a match with me...."

"I want to play," Ethan said. "Can I join you guys?"

"Sure," Saffron replied. "Maybe we could even convince Mum...we could play two on two..."

"I don't think so," Hermione replied. "You'd have better luck getting Jules up there."

"Maybe we could get Nick," Saffron said thoughtfully. "You and me against the two old geezers."

"Hey!" Harry exclaimed.

"You can still fly, Mr. Potter?" Sean asked. "I thought---"

"Thought what?" Harry asked.

"Um, that well you might be too old to fly," Sean stammered. "I mean, my dad fell on his hip playing rugby and he's still not the same...."

Ethan covered his mouth to keep from laughing.

"One is never too old to fly," Harry said firmly. "Never."

"All kidding aside, Dad could have had a career playing professional Quidditch," Saffron told Sean. "He was the youngest Seeker at Hogwarts in over a century."

"What made you decide not to play?" Sean asked him.

"Well, I decided to pursue a career as an Auror," Harry told him. "That was what I really wanted to do."

"What exactly is an Auror again?" Sean asked. "You... sort of catch the bad guys, right?"

"He's like a Wizard policeman," Saffron told him.

"Cool," Sean nodded. "Sounds exciting."

"It can be," Harry said. "But it's also quite challenging as Ethan would tell you."

"It's got its good days and its bad days," Ethan told him.

Sean always loved hearing about the wizarding world. More than once, he'd wished that he'd been magical like his cousin.

"We should go out flying tonight," Saffron told him. "You can see what it's like."

"We can do that?" Sean asked excitedly.

"Sure," Saffron said. "I'll take you up there."

"That's very romantic," Ethan teased.

"It is," Saffron said defensively.

"You've taken Maddie flying plenty of times," Hermione pointed out to her son.

"We have a good time in the air," Ethan answered.

"When I'm able to convince your Mum to go up there with me, we have a good time too," Harry said sharing a look with Hermione.

"That's a rare occurrence," Hermione finished her meal.

"Which makes it special," Harry said.

Hermione smiled at him.

"I'd better go home," Ethan said looking at his watch. "I'll come by tomorrow afternoon for Quidditch."

"Take home a plate for Maddie," Hermione got up.

"She'd love that," Ethan said smiling at her. "Thanks, Mum."

"That and she'd never forgive you for going home empty handed," Saffron cracked.

Ethan laughed. "No, she wouldn't."

Hermione motioned for Ethan to come over to the counter with her while she made up a plate for his wife. "So...how is she doing?" Hermione asked quietly.

"Better," Ethan answered. "She's been spending time over at Frankie's with the babies."

Hermione smiled. "I'm glad. I know this hasn't been easy for the two of you."

Ethan shook his head. "I've been disappointed too. I'd love to be a father. But I know it's going to happen."

"It will," Hermione reassured him. "And you and Maddie will be great parents."

"Thanks," Ethan pecked her cheek.

Hermione finished making the plate for Maddie and handed it to her son. "You give her my love."

"I will," Ethan replied. "Thanks Mum."

"I'll see you tomorrow, son," Harry said clapping his son on the back.

Ethan nodded. "Thanks for dinner."

"Good night, Ethan," Saffron said standing up and punching her brother on the arm.

"Night brat," Ethan said affectionately. "Good to see you, Sean."

"You too, Ethan," Sean said.

Ethan disappeared with a pop. "Come on," Saffron took Sean's hand. "Let's go for that ride."

Sean grinned. "I can't wait."

"Don't be too long," Hermione said. "It's getting late and it's cold up there."

"We'll only go up for a bit," Saffron promised.

"Have fun," Harry smiled at them.

"Your family is great," Sean said to Saffron as they stepped outside. "My mum and dad---we hardly ever eat together anymore."

"Why?" Saffron asked.

"Everyone's so busy," Sean replied. "Mum works the day shift and my dad he works nights..."

"Oh," Saffron answered as they went outside, her broom in her hand.

"You're lucky," Sean said.

She reached over to squeeze his hand. "Well I'm glad you stayed tonight."

"Me too," Sean said leaning in and giving her a quick kiss. "Okay, Miss Potter. You're going to have to take the lead. The only thing I've ever used a broom for is sweeping."

"I always take the lead with flying," Saffron said. "You get to sit behind me and hold me really tightly."

"I like the sound of that," Sean said.

"First though," Saffron stopped. "I need a really, really good kiss from you."

Sean really liked the sound of that and he didn't waste any time pulling her into his arms and kissing her.

Saffron closed her eyes as she kissed him back rather passionately.

Sean broke the kiss, but still held on to her tightly. He knew in his heart that she might not love him as much as he loved her. He was trying very hard to be patient.

"That was perfect," Saffron said softly.

"You're perfect," Sean said resting his forehead on hers.

Saffron smiled. "I'm glad we happen to agree on that." she joked.

Sean laughed. "Well, how about we get up in the air and you show me what you can do?"

"Sounds good," Saffron mounted her broom. "You get on right behind me."

Sean slid on right behind her and put his arms on her waist. Saffron kicked off from the ground and they soared high.

From the kitchen, Hermione looked out the window at her daughter. Saffron was the most fearless person Hermione knew. She always had been even when she was a baby. Hermione winced when she saw Saffron perform some loops.

"She's flying high isn't she?" Harry saw his wife's expression.

"Too high," Hermione replied.

"Saffy can't get high enough," Harry replied, joining her at the window.

"I'm never going to get used to seeing her do those tricks," Hermione said leaning against her husband. "I have nightmares about her falling..."

"I've never fallen," Harry replied. "I don't think Saffy will either."

"She's my baby," Hermione said. "I'm always going to worry about her."

"Same here," Harry replied, rubbing her shoulders.

"I just keep telling myself that flying makes her happy," Hermione said softly. "She gets this look on her face..."

Harry laughed. "I've been told I get the same look."

"You do," Hermione said. "I can still remember coming home from work when she was about three years old. I came into the backyard and I saw you had her on your broom. I wanted to kill you!"

"She loved it even then," Harry said proudly.

"Did you have a chance to look at that contract?" Hermione asked him.

Harry shook his head. "Hermione... they're starting her out at a higher rate than RJ. I can't believe it."

Hermione gaped at him. "Really?"

"I've never seen anyone start so high," Harry replied.

Hermione looked at him. "You'll be sure to go over every thing in that contract with her? I don't want them to take advantage of her."

"I promise," Harry gave her a kiss.

"How was your day?" Hermione asked.

"Pretty boring," he answered.

Hermione turned and looked properly at him. "Ever wish you'd given professional Quidditch a go?"

"Sometimes," Harry said thoughtfully. "But I love what I do."

"You're great at what you do," Hermione said proudly.

"And so are you," Harry slid his arms around her.

Saffron came back into the kitchen with her broom and rolled her eyes when she saw her parents snogging.

"Stop!" Saffron exclaimed covering her eyes. "Before you scar me for life."

Hermione laughed. "Where's Sean?"

"He's gone home," Saffron said.

"Already?" Harry asked.

Saffron nodded. "He has an early start tomorrow."

"We saw you flying," Hermione said.

"He loved it," Saffron said with a grin. "I knew he would."

"I'm glad you were able to enjoy one last evening together," Hermione said.

"Me too," Saffron replied.

"How is my favourite 17-year old?" Harry asked tugging on Saffron's ponytail.

"She's good," Saffron hugged him. "Can we look at that contract now?"

"We can," Harry said. "It's in my office."

"I'm so excited they want me," Saffron bounced up and down.

Hermione put her hands on Saffron's shoulders. "Sweetheart, you need to look over each and every one of those contracts and make the best decision for you."

"Dad will help me," Saffron said confidently. "But Puddlemere is definitely my choice. I've wanted to play for them as long as I can remember."

"I know," Hermione said.

Harry came back into the room carrying a large folder. The seven teams that had offered Saffron contracts were: Puddlemere, Appleby, Ballycastle, Wimbourne, Tutshill, Montrose, and Falmouth.

"Wimbourne's out," Saffron said immediately.

Hermione knew why so she didn't press the issue.

Harry set out each of the seven contracts on the kitchen table. "Are you sure, sweetheart? They have the second best record..."

Saffron shook her head vehemently. "I'm not signing with Wimbourne." she insisted.

"Okay," Harry said setting that contract aside. "Well, let's look at Appleby. One of my former team-mates is their coach---Katie Bell."

"I've heard of her," Saffron nodded.

"They are offering 1 million galleons to start," Harry said. "If you make it to the World Cup, you get an extra 100,000 galleons."

Saffron raised her eyebrows. "Wow..." she admitted. "That's more than I thought."

"Katie would look after you too," Harry said.

"Let's put it in the 'maybe' file." Saffron replied.

Hermione took the contract from Harry and set it aside. "Who's next?"

"Ballycastle," Harry said. The three of them looked through all the contracts until they came across Puddlemere.

"Five million galleons," Harry said reading from the contract. "Two hundred thousand signing bonus and an extra two-hundred thousand if the team makes it to the championship."

"FIVE MILLION?" Hermione asked in surprise.

"FIVE MILLION?" Saffron screeched. "DAD ARE YOU SERIOUS?"

203. Chapter 203

Authors’ note: Sorry for the late update! We hope you enjoy the chapter. It’s a long one with the continuation of Hermione/Harry talking with Saffron about her contract and you also get a nice Zander/Ashley/Brittany scene. We hope you enjoy!

"FIVE MILLION?" Saffron screeched. "DAD ARE YOU SERIOUS?"

Harry nodded and handed her the contract. "It says so right there."

"Oh Merlin," Saffron's hand shook. "This. Puddlemere. I knew it would be the best."

Harry smiled. "All your hard work paid off, Saffron. I'm very proud of you."

"Thanks," Saffron was beaming.

"Is this what you want?" Harry asked her.

"Yes," Saffron said without hesitation.

"You've gone over it?" Hermione asked Harry. "You think this is the best option for Saffy?"

"I think it's between that and Appleby," Harry said. "But Puddlemere will put her in the starting line-up, as well as the pay they're offering her..."

"I really want Puddlemere, Dad," Saffron said.

Harry handed his daughter a quill. "All you have to do is sign it, baby."

Saffron took the quill. She wanted someone to pinch her. This really couldn't be happening. All her life she'd dreamed of this, but here it was actually happening.

"We'll send it in the owl post just as soon as your signature is on it," Harry smiled at her.

Saffron's hands were shaking as she signed her name on the dotted line.

Harry clapped. "Welcome to Puddlemere's newest star Seeker!"

Saffron grinned and hugged her father. "Thank you, Daddy!"

Hermione smiled proudly at her daughter. "Congratulations, sweetheart."

"You're really happy for me?" Saffron asked turning to look at her mother. "I know you---"

"I want you to be happy," Hermione brushed Saffron's hair back. "And if this is what you want, then I want it for you."

"I want this more than I've ever wanted anything," Saffron said solemnly.

"You should tell RJ," Hermione said. "Your father will post this for you."

Saffron nodded. "I will, but it's late---"

"Your Gran will want to hear this tomorrow," Hermione added with a smile.

"I can't wait to tell her!" Saffron exclaimed. "Oh and Jules! Mum, can I pop over there to tell her really quick?"

"Sure sweetheart," Hermione replied.

Saffron took hold of the contract and hurried into the sitting room. She grabbed some Floo powder and threw it into the fireplace.

"Jules!" she called into the fireplace.

Greta appeared in the sitting room. "Saffy, is that you?"

"Greta!" Saffron squealed. "Guess what! I just signed to Puddlemere!"

Greta grinned. "Oh, Saffy! That's fantastic! Come here!"

Saffron hugged her former nanny. "And you won't believe what they're starting me at!" she told Greta about her salary.

Greta gasped. "Saffron!"

"I know," Saffron couldn't stop grinning.

"I knew this day would come," Greta said tears in her eyes. "You were always so determined! I am so proud of my Saffy!"

"Thanks Greta," Saffron hugged her again.

"Greta, come on!" Katie appeared in the room. "You were going to---Aunt Saffy, what are you doing here?"

"Katie!" Saffron exclaimed. "Where's your mum and dad and Ash?"

"Downstairs in the studio," Katie replied. Before she knew what was happening, Saffron had scooped her up. "Aunt Saffy!"

"I'm signed to Puddlemere!" Saffron squealed, unable to hold back.

"Ooooh!" Katie squealed. "Let's go tell Mummy!"

Saffron grabbed her niece's hand and practically dragged her downstairs.

Nick was sitting at the piano playing a melody while his wife and oldest daughter listened.

Saffron and Katie burst into the studio. "Mummy guess what!" Katie crowed.

Julie stood up in surprise. "What on earth? Saffy?"

"I'M SIGNED TO PUDDLEMERE!" Saffron swung Katie around again.

Julie grinned. "Saffy, that's fantastic!"

"And I'm starting at five million," Saffron told them. "And two hundred thousand when we reach the World Cup."

Saffron put Katie down and her older sister enveloped her in a hug. "Congratulations!"

"Thanks Jules," Saffron said. "Dad's posting the contract back to them right now."

"That's the mostest money I've ever heard of," Katie said.

"It sure is," Nick replied. "Congratulations, Saffy!"

"That's great news," Ashley chimed in. "Don't forget the rest of us when you're rich and famous."

"Hardly," Saffron grinned at her.

"We'll go to all your matches," Katie promised.

"Definitely," Julie agreed. "This is wonderful, Saffy. Have you told Ethan yet?"

Saffron shook her head. "I just signed the contract."

"He's going to be proud of you too," Julie told her.

Saffron forgot how mad she'd been at him earlier. She did hope he would be proud. His opinion did mean a lot to her even though she didn't always act like it did.

Nick grinned at her. "Does this mean you'll spare us no mercy tomorrow in our pickup match?"

"No way," Saffron laughed.

"Better pack on the gear then," Nick joked.

"Grandpa must be so pleased!" Ashley said.

"He was almost as excited as me," Saffron said with a giggle. "Mum's happy too."

"Greta, why are you crying?" Katie asked the older woman who was standing at the foot of the stairs watching them.

"I'm just so happy for her," Greta wiped her eyes with a soggy tissue.

Saffron crossed the room and gave Greta another hug. "Don't cry, Greta."

"I'm sorry love," Greta stroked her hair. "I just can't believe what a lovely and successful young woman you've become."

Saffron smiled. "You had something to do with that."

"And with me," Nick said with a grin. "You've got a good track record, Greta."

"And these two," Julie said putting an arm around each of her daughters.

"This just turned into the best night," Saffron said happily. "Puddlemere!"

"You and RJ on the same team," Nick said.

"Good thing we've made up, eh?" Saffron grinned.

Julie laughed. "That will certainly make for a happier season."

Saffron hugged herself. "I cannot wait to start with the team."

"You still have to graduate, miss," Julie reminded her.

"That's in the bag," Saffron bragged.

"You going to tell Mary Ellen about this?" Ashley asked, referring to her aunt's archrival.

"Rub it in her face," Saffron said gleefully.

Julie shook her head in amusement. "Saffy..."

"I just can't stand her," Saffron said. "She always wants to see me fail."

"She's very envious of you," Julie said. "I think she acts that way to mask her own insecurities."

Saffron waved her hand. "She's a cow. I still need to call Lexie!"

"We'll see you tomorrow at Gran's," Julie said giving her sister one last hug.

"Okay," Saffron replied. "Sorry to have interrupted you. I was just so excited."

"We're glad you stopped by," Ashley said. "I can't wait to tell Zander and Brittany about this!"

"Tell everyone," Saffron said with a grin.

"Aunt Saffy's going to make more than you, Daddy," Katie said already picturing what things she'd asked her aunt to buy for her.

"Katie," Nick shook his head.

"Katie, it's not important what a person makes," Julie lectured. "It's the strength of their character that counts."

"But to have all that money..." Katie said enviously.

"Katherine," Julie said putting a hand on her shoulder.

Katie rolled her eyes. "Sorry."

"I'm still going to be the same me," Saffron said. "I'm not going to change."

"I doubt you will," Julie said affectionately.

"We raised her better than that," Greta said. "She's a good girl."

Saffron grinned. "I'll see you lot tomorrow."

"Congratulations!" the Malfoys called after her as she hurried upstairs.

Saffron decided to pop in to her brother and Maddie's house before heading home to tell them the good news.

"Ethan!" Saffron called out.

Ethan and Maddie had just been climbing into bed when they heard Saffron calling them. "What the bloody hell?" Ethan grumbled.

"Something could be wrong," Maddie said pulling back the covers. She grabbed her dressing gown. "Come on."

Ethan pulled a t shirt on over his head and followed his wife to the sitting room.

"Saffy, are you okay?" Maddie asked. "Is it your parents?"

"No," Saffron shook her head. "I just signed to Puddlemere!"

"You did?" Ethan asked, a slow grin spreading across his face. "Saf!"

Saffron told her brother and sister in law how much she'd be making and laughed as Ethan's jaw dropped.

"Congratulations, Brat!" Ethan said giving her a big hug.

"Thanks Ethan," Saffron said.

"We're so proud of you," Maddie said beaming at her.

"Thanks," Saffron hugged her too. "I had to tell you guys tonight. I couldn't wait until tomorrow."

"I'm glad you did," Ethan said. "I'm---I'm sorry about the teasing earlier."

"It's okay," Saffron said. "I was on edge."

"I gave him hell for it," Maddie told her.

"Thanks Maddie," Saffron joked.

"Can you loan your brother a million galleons?" Ethan asked.

"Depends on how well you can suck up," Saffron teased.

"The Golden Girl," Ethan said giving her a bow.

"That’s more like it," Saffron laughed as she pushed him over. "Respect."

Ethan laughed. "Well, at your first press conference, you can tell the public that I taught you everything you know."

"Yeah right," Saffron said. "I wouldn't want to lie to everyone."

"My dad is going to be over the moon about this," Maddie said. "And you and RJ are going to be on the same team!"

"It's going to be so great," Saffron nodded. "I can't wait to start practising with the team."

"Congratulations again, Saffy," Maddie said giving her one last hug.

"Thanks," Saffron said. "I'm sorry again to have bugged you."

"Its part of your charm," Ethan said grinning at her.

"You could learn a thing or two," Saffron hugged him again. "See you two tomorrow."

"Good night, Saffy," Maddie said.

"Night," Saffron said, Apparating away with a pop.

It was late by the time Saffron reappeared at home. Her parents had already retired for the night. Saffron sent a quick owl to Alexa and to Sean to let them know about her exciting news. Inexplicably, she wondered what Andrew would think about this.

She wondered if he would have been proud of her... if they would have been out celebrating right now.

In a few months, she'd be playing against him. What would that be like?

She supposed she'd have to wait and see.

*** *** ***

Ashley couldn’t believe that her first year at Hogwarts was going to be over soon. It seemed like just yesterday that she and her fellow first-years were coming over to the castle in the boats. Now, in less than a month, she’d be going home for the summer.

Right now though, she was more concerned with making her boil cure potion.

“Very nice, Miss Malfoy,” Snape said admiring the way she added the crushed snake fangs.

"Thank you sir," Ashley blushed under the potions master's praise.

Snape turned to observe Brittany's potion making and he scowled. "You do realise you have to touch the horned slugs, Miss Murray."

Brittany looked at him as if he'd lost his mind. "Professor, they are disgusting!"

Snape glared at her. "Perhaps you'd like to help crush them in detention!"

"No sir," Brittany muttered.

Ashley looked sympathetically at her friend. "I'll put them in for you," she whispered when Snape moved on.

"You are a life saver," Brittany said gratefully.

"It's our secret," Ashley grinned at her, adding the slugs quickly.

Snape announced that he would be in his office and would return in 15 minutes to check their progress.

"What a wanker," Brittany muttered when he'd gone. "I don't know how you can stand him, Ash."

"He's not so bad," Ashley said. She turned to see how Zander and Sam were doing with their potion.

Sam caught Ashley's eye and smirked. "Hey, Zander. Your girlfriend's looking over here. How about you blow her a kiss?"

"Shut up," Zander turned red and glared at him

Sam laughed and handed Zander the dried nettles to add to their potion. "You spend all your time with her and your cousin. In fact, I think maybe you should trade your trousers in for a skirt."

"Bugger off," Zander replied.

Zander added the nettles to the potion. He really needed to get this right since his potions marks weren't that great. If it hadn't been for Ashley, he'd probably be failing.

"Add them only a little at a time," Ashley whispered to him.

Zander nodded. "Thanks."

Sam rolled his eyes. "You can't do anything by yourself, can you, Murray?"

"Leave him alone, Sam." Brittany snapped. "If it wasn't for Ash, you BOTH would be failing."

"Guys, be quiet," Ashley said. "If Snape comes back in here and sees this, you'll get in trouble."

Zander turned his attention back to the potion but Sam wasn't willing to let it go just yet. "You can't do anything without them, can you?" he whispered.

"I can," Zander shot back.

"Yeah?" Sam asked. "Prove it."

"What?" Zander asked.

"Prove it," Sam replied. "I dare you to... to... spend the night in the Forbidden Forest!"

Ashley turned around. "Sam, why don't you leave him alone? Zander doesn't have to do that..."

"Stay out of it," Sam retorted.

"Headmaster Wood has specifically said that the Forbidden Forest is---" Ashley started to say.

"What a goody- goody," Sam jeered at her.

Zander quietly resumed his potion making, but Sam wasn't about to be deterred. He also received help from two of the Slytherins in the class.

"I thought you Gryffindors were supposed to be brave," Carson Ripley chimed in. "I think the Sorting Hat got it wrong."

"I'd go," Sam said with bravado. "But I guess Murray here is too big a chicken."

"I'm not a chicken!" Zander retorted. "I could spend the night in the forest!"

"Then prove it," Sam said with a nasty grin.

"Fine," Zander said glaring at him. "I'll---I'll do it tonight."

Ashley and Brittany both turned around. "Zander!"

"How are we going to know he spent the whole night there?" Ripley asked Sam.

"He doesn't have to," Ashley glared at Sam.

"Yes he does," Sam said gleefully. "But Ripley's right. We have to think of something to prove that he stayed there all night."

"I'll stay out there," Zander said. "I'm not a chicken."

"Quiet!" Professor Snape announced coming back into the classroom. "Please put your finished potions in a beaker and bring them to the front of the class."

"Did you at least finish?" Sam asked Zander.

Zander added the last ingredient and then poured the remaining amount into his beaker.

Ashley placed hers and Brittany's finished potion on the desk. "You shouldn't fall for their trap," she whispered to Zander as he put the beaker next to hers. "They just want to get you in trouble."

"You wouldn't understand," Zander whispered back.

Ashley stared at him in silence.

"We'll test your potions tomorrow," Snape announced. "Class dismissed."

"Zander--" Ashley began.

"I have to do this," Zander said going back over to his desk to pack his belongings. "If I don't, I'll never hear the end of it."

"You're better than that," Ashley picked up her bag. "Brit, tell him he doesn't have to do this."

"Ash is right, Zander," Brittany said. "I don't see Sam or those Slytherins volunteering to spend the night in the forest. You don't have to do this."

Zander shook his head. "Neither of you understand," he grumbled as he stomped out of the dungeons ahead of them.

Brittany shook her head. "Boys..."

Ashley frowned. "Brit... I'm really worried about him."

"Maybe it won't be THAT bad," Brittany said thoughtfully. "Hagrid goes in there all the time and he comes out okay."

"But Hagrid knows all the creatures in there," Ashley pointed out. "And he's half giant."

"We're not going to be able to talk him out of it, Ash," Brittany said. "He feels like he has to prove something to those Neanderthals."

Ashley bit her lower lip. "What if we spend the night there with him?"

Brittany gaped at her. "Um...how about...no?"

"Come on," Ashley replied. "If we're all together, it won't be so bad."

"Count me out," Brittany said shaking her head. "There's creatures in there---slimy, scaly, creep, crawly creatures in there. I don't do that."

Ashley looked over at her. "Come on Brit. For me and for Zander."

"Oh, all right," Brittany relented. "But the first thing that crawls on me...I’m outta there."

Ashley gave her a hug. "Let's go tell him!"

Zander was already in the common room when they arrived back at Gryffindor Tower.

"Zander," Ashley hurried over to him. "Guess what--"

Zander sighed. "What?"

"Brit and I are going to stay with you in the Forest tonight," Ashley said in a hushed voice.

Zander vehemently shook his head. "No, you're not."

"Yes we are," Ashley replied.

"No, you're not," Zander said grabbing her by the arm and leading her out of the earshot of anyone else. "I have to do this by myself, Ashley."

"Why?" Ashley asked.

"Because I have to prove myself," Zander said quietly. "I'm not a coward."

"Sam's the real coward," Ashley argued. "It's like Brittany said---he's not volunteering to spend all night in the forest."

"It's too dangerous," Zander wouldn't look at her.

"Which is precisely why you shouldn't be going out there either," Ashley pointed out.

"Ash--" Zander began.

"You're not going to spend the whole night out there alone," Ashley said firmly. "Brittany and I are going to be there with you. If Sam has anything to say about that, I'll---I'll stuff a paint brush down his throat!"

Zander stared at her in surprise.

"So we'll meet here at 10," Ashley said.

Zander had to admit he was relieved. "Thanks Ashley," he said gratefully.

"You do realise we'll be in a world of trouble if we get caught," Brittany said joining them.

"We won't get caught," Ashley replied. "We... we won't."

"It's just a few hours in the forest," Zander said when he saw the look of trepidation on his cousin's face.

"It's an entire night," Brittany corrected. "Merlin..."

"It'll go by really fast," Ashley said. "We'll have snacks and we can play games..."

Zander nodded. "Okay."

"It'll be fun," Ashley said trying to sound brave.

"Sure," Brittany answered unenthusiastically. "Just a roaring good time."

Zander spent the rest of the evening listening to taunts from Sam and the other boys in his dorm. They didn't think he was going to go through with this. Truth be told, if it wasn't for Ashley deciding to come with him, he didn't think he would have.

"So you'll take a picture once every hour," Sam handed him a camera. "So we know you spent the whole night out there."

"I've got it," Zander said grabbing his cloak.

"I bet you don't stay out there," Sam said.

"I'll see you in the morning," Zander said grabbing his bag.

Ashley and Brittany exchanged glances. Zander was going to go out just past Hagrid's hut and wait for them there.

"He'll come running back, crying like a baby," Sam boasted as Zander snuck out of the room.

"Wanker," Ashley muttered. "Okay, Brit. We'll give it another five minutes and we'll go."

"Yeah," Brittany said tapping her fingers nervously on the table.

"It'll be okay," Ashley reassured her.

"Ash, I--I've been thinking," Brittany began.

"Brittany," Ashley looked back at her. "Don't even think about backing out--"

"I can't do it," Brittany said guiltily. "I wish I could, but I just can't. I hate spiders. I hate trolls. I just keep picturing them crawling on me and I feel sick."

"We'll be on the edge of the forest," Ashley whispered. "There won't be any spiders or bugs- and we've got blankets to sit on."

"I just can't," Brittany said getting to her feet. "Um---tell Zander I'm really sorry..."

Ashley stared after her friend in disbelief as the brunette went upstairs.

Ashley checked her bag to make sure that she had everything before she left to meet Zander.

"Hey, you," someone said tapping her on the shoulder. Ashley turned around to see the one person she didn't want to see. "Aunt Saffy, what---what are you doing in here?"

"I live in here," Saffron said to her niece. "What are you doing?"'

"Nothing," Ashley replied quickly, her voice about two octaves higher than it usually was. "Nothing."

Saffron gave her a strange look. "Ashley..."

Ashley yawned. "I'm going up to bed. You know, since it's curfew and all..."

"What's with the bag?" Saffron asked.

"Dobby brought me some socks," Ashley said cursing herself for the stupid excuse. She'd never lied to her aunt before. "He wants me to paint his portrait and he's got so many socks...he wanted to know which ones I liked best for the um, portrait."

Saffron was still sceptical. "I see..."

"He wants to look his best, you know," Ashley said holding up the bag. "So---I guess I'll go upstairs now. Good night, Aunt Saffy."

"Good night, Ash." Saffron folded her arms.

Ashley hurried upstairs, knowing that her aunt was watching her every move.

Brittany stared at her when she appeared in the doorway. "You aren't going either?" she whispered.

"I ran into my aunt downstairs," Ashley told her.

"Did she find out?" Brittany's eyes grew wide.

Ashley shook her head. "I didn't tell her. I made up some stupid lie which she probably didn't buy..."

"How are you going to get out then?" Brittany asked.

Ashley shrugged. "I guess I'll just wait a few minutes until the common room clears and then I'll sneak out."

"I'll cover you," Brittany offered. "I suppose it's the least I can do."

"I just hope he doesn't think I've abandoned him," Ashley said walking over to the window and looking out at the grounds.

"I doubt it," Brittany said quietly.

"Are you sure you don't want to go with us?" Ashley asked again.

Brittany looked away. "I know I'm a scaredy cat," she said.

Ashley wasn't looking forward to spending all night in the spooky forest, but she wasn't about to let Zander do this on his own. He was her friend and she wasn't going to let him down; even if it meant breaking the rules.

Brittany peeked out the door and into the common room. "No one's down there now," she reported in a hushed tone.

"Okay," Ashley said grabbing her bag again. "Wish us luck."

Brittany sent her a half smile. "Good luck, Ash."

Outside Hagrid's hut, Zander was wondering where in the world Ashley and Brittany were. Something must have happened to keep them away. He looked toward the forest with apprehension. He was going to have to spend all night in there...by himself.

With a sigh of trepidation, Zander picked up his bag and began a slow walk over to the edge of the forest.

"Zander!"

Zander turned around in relief. "Ash!"

"I'm sorry!" she said out of breath from running.

"It's okay," he was so glad to see her. "Where's Brit?"

"She kind of chickened out," Ashley told him.

Zander rolled his eyes. "Figures."

"So, it's just you and me," Ashley said.

He smiled at her. "I'm really happy you came with me."

Ashley smiled back. "I wasn't going to let you do this by yourself. You know that."

He gave her a hug. "Thanks Ash."

Ashley hugged him back. "We're going to be fine. I have a flask of hot chocolate, biscuits, brownies, and crisps. I brought my sketch book, too."

"Great," Zander said as they headed for the edge of the forest.

He told her about the camera Sam had given him to take photos. "I should take one of you before you go inside," Ashley said thoughtfully.

"I should probably take one of myself," Zander told her. "Since I'm supposed to be out here alone."

"Oh," Ashley said nodding. "Right."

"Thanks though," Zander smiled at her. "You know... I only agreed to do this because you said you'd come out here with me. I really, really appreciate it."

Ashley nudged him. "You don't have to keep thanking me."

"Yes I do," he told her.

"Well, you can repay me by playing a piece for me on the piano again next time you're at my house," Ashley said. "I still can't get over how talented you are."

"Deal," Zander replied, setting a blanket down. "Here's a good spot."

Ashley sat down and looked up at the night sky. She loved nights like this where there wasn't a cloud in the sky and you could see all the stars.

Zander sighed. "Well... five minutes down."

"Think positive," Ashley said.

"I'm trying," Zander leaned against a tree.

Ashley decided to do whatever she could to keep their minds off the fact that they were in a potentially dangerous forest. "You know...I'm ready to see the rest of my family, but in some ways, I don't want the year to end."

"I know," Zander replied. "But it's been a good year."

"Gryffindor won the House Cup," Ashley said with a grin. She could still remember the sight of her aunt being carried off the pitch on the shoulders of her team-mates.

"That was awesome," Zander recalled. "I really hope I can eventually play for the house team."

"You can try out next year," Ashley said.

"I need to get a lot better," Zander replied.

"You were the best in our flying lessons," Ashley remembered.

"I wasn't that great," Zander said modestly.

"You were," Ashley said smiling at him. "Much better than me."

"I thought you were pretty good," Zander watched her pull out her sketchbook.

"Well, let's just say you're not going to see me trying out for the house team," Ashley said finding a blank page. "Do you mind if I sketch you?"

"Okay," Zander said. "What do I have to do?"

Ashley grabbed her pencil and smiled at him. "Stay still."

"Just remember I have to take a picture in an hour," Zander looked over at her.

"Yes, sir," Ashley said concentrating on her sketch. "So...what are you doing for summer hols?"

"I'm not sure yet," Zander replied. "Hopefully me and Brit can come visit you."

"I'd like that," Ashley said. "We usually go to Brighton for the first few weeks of the summer. My grandparents have a beach house there."

"Cool," Zander commented. "I bet that's a lot of fun."

"It is," Ashley said. "But...sometimes..."

"What?" he asked.

Ashley bit her bottom lip. She'd never told anyone this. "I sometimes felt left out. My Aunt Saffy tries to include me and I love spending time with her, but it's not the same as having someone your own age, you know? My sister's younger than me and my cousins are a lot younger than me. I never really had my own friends."

Zander looked properly at her. "Really? I thought you looked sort of lonely that one day I came and introduced myself. I'm glad I did."

"I'm glad you did, too," Ashley said. "You and Brittany were my first real friends."

Zander grinned at her. "We're the lucky ones, aye?"

Ashley laughed. "Can I ask you something? Why did you come over to me that day?"

"I saw you sitting there by yourself," Zander recalled.

Ashley studied her sketch and then studied her friend. "You know what I liked most about you? You seemed interested in me and not who my dad and grandpa are."

Zander shrugged. "It's cool who they are, but people shouldn't be friends with you because of it."

"I remember when I was in primary school," Ashley told him. "There was this girl named Nicole that was having a birthday party. She invited everyone in the class, but me. She said that she'd let me go, if I brought my dad there."

Zander shook his head. "I hope you told her off."

Ashley shook her head. "I just acted like it didn't bother me."

"Good for you," Zander replied.

"Well, what about you?" Ashley asked. "What was it like for you growing up?"

Zander thought for a moment. "I don't know... my family, aside from Brit, are all pretty normal. She's more like a sister to me than a cousin; we're around each other so much."

Ashley had met Zander's mum once that day when Brittany and Zander had stopped by her house. "Your mum seemed really nice when I met her."

"She thought you were really nice too," Zander told her.

Ashley smiled. "What are Brit's parents like?"

Zander grinned. "My aunt is a bit mad... that's where Brit gets it from."

"Brittany's not bad," Ashley said in her defence, but she couldn't help but laugh.

"She's just crazy," Zander had forgotten they were sitting in the forest. He was having a great time.

Ashley was silent for a few moments as she drew the tree that Zander was leaning against.

"This hasn't been too bad so far," Zander's eyes moved towards the forest.

"You should probably take your photo," Ashley said.

"Oh yeah," Zander reached for the camera. "Thanks for reminding me."

Ashley set her sketch aside and decided to pour them both a mug of hot chocolate.

"I brought some biscuits too," Zander rummaged around in his bag.

A howling sound from the distance startled both of them.

"W-what was that?" Ashley stammered.

"I don't know," Zander's face went pale.

"I'm sure it was nothing," Ashley said wishing she was right. "Um---let's just ....let's just have our snack."

Zander swallowed nervously. "I'm not sure I can eat right now..."

Ashley moved over to sit beside him. "It was probably just Hagrid's dog."

"I hope so," Zander said quietly.

The two of them were silent for a long time until Zander finally decided to chance taking the photograph of himself.

"I think everyone's going to be really impressed that you stayed out here all night." Ashley told him as he snapped a photo.

"I don't think I'd be out here right now if you'd not come with me," Zander said truthfully.

"Again... you really don't have to thank me." Ashley told him. "You're my best friend."

Zander grinned. "And you're mine, Ashley."

"Which is why we're two fools out here together," Ashley smiled back.

Since they hadn't heard any more strange noises, Zander reached for the bag of biscuits and offered one to her.

"Thanks," Ashley took one. "Have some hot chocolate."

Zander took the mug from her. "Dobby makes the best hot chocolate."

"He really does," Ashley agreed.

"How are the biscuits?" Zander asked.

"Delicious," Ashley answered. "If you want some crackers later, I have a box here."

"You thought of everything," Zander said.

Ashley smiled as she rubbed her eyes. "It's no problem."

"Are you knackered?" Zander asked.

"No," Ashley tried to deny, but a big yawn said otherwise.

"You can go to sleep if you want," Zander said.

"But that's not why I'm out here," Ashley objected.

"You're sleepy," Zander said. "I don't mind if you take a kip, Ash."

Ashley glanced at him. "Promise to wake me up if you need anything?"

Zander nodded. "I promise."

She leaned against her best friend. "I won't sleep long."

Zander saw that Ashley's sketchpad was still open. He picked it up gingerly so as not to disturb her. He couldn't get over how much the sketch looked just like him.

She had done the sketch so quickly too. His friend was truly a talented artist.

He still couldn't believe that she'd actually come out here with him. He'd expected Brittany to chicken out.

Ashley was already asleep and she shifted a bit so she was lying down more.

Zander put his arm around her. He hoped that she was warm enough. It wasn't very cold, but there was a chill in the air.

Ashley mumbled something, her eyes still closed.

Zander made sure his wand was handy just in case whatever was howling in the distance decided to come closer.

An hour rolled by and he wished he'd brought a book or something to read. Instead, he pulled Ashley's sketchbook over again and began looking through the rest of her drawings.

There were a lot of sketches of the Hogwarts castle. Zander couldn't get over her attention for detail.

She'd drawn everything, down to some of the cracks in the stones.

Zander knew it was time to take another photograph, but he didn't want to wake up Ashley. She looked so peaceful.

He hoped he would be able to take it without any trace of her in the photograph. Zander gingerly reached for the camera.

He held it away from him and pressed the button. A flash illuminated his face and awoke Ashley who looked a little disoriented.

"What's going on?" she asked drowsily.

"I'm sorry," he apologised. "I just---I had to take the photo."

"It's okay," Ashley sat up. "How long have I been out?"

"About an hour," Zander replied. "You can go back to sleep..."

"I'm all right," Ashley sat back up.

"I was looking at your sketches," Zander said.

"They're just of the castle, mostly." Ashley replied. "I'm not going to see it for three months, so I've been drawing it as many chances as I get."

Zander nodded. "Is that why you wanted to sketch me? Since you're not going to see me for three months..."

"I hope I'll get to see you during the summer," Ashley said shyly.

"My grandparents on my dad's side actually live near Brighton," Zander said.

"Really?" Ashley asked excitedly. "Maybe you can come visit me there!"

"I'd like that," Zander said.

"We have loads of fun there," Ashley told him. "My grandpa always does barbeque at least once, and it's the best dinner ever."

"You promise your cousins aren't going to ask me to be a part of their princess club?" Zander asked.

Ashley giggled. "I can't promise that!"

"Imagine what Sam would do if he heard about that?" Zander mused.

"It's our secret," Ashley swore.

The next couple of hours went by fast. Ashley and Zander played a game of exploding snap and talked throughout the game about their summer plans, their families, and why Professor Snape had taken a shine to Ashley.

"I really don't know!" Ashley claimed. "He doesn't like my mum at all."

"Or your aunt," Zander said. "Or your grandfather. I remember watching them when your grandfather came for Saffy's last match..."

"Aunt Saffy hates him," Ashley giggled. "She told me one time she made his cauldron explode."

Zander laughed. "I wish I could have seen that. He scares me half to death. You remember our first day of classes? When he called on me and I had no idea what he was talking about?"

"And Brit tried to answer, and he got mad at her?" Ashley recalled.

Zander nodded and shuddered at the memory. "Maybe we'll be lucky and he'll retire soon. He's pushing 100."

"And he looks like it," Ashley added with a giggle.

"Miss Malfoy, do you have the answer?" Zander asked in his best Snape impression.

"Thank goodness I usually do," Ashley said. "Aunt Saffy gave me her first year potions text with all her notes in it."

Zander gaped at her. "Ash! You've been holding out on us!"

"I have all of her old potions texts," Ashley revealed. "She just gave them to me the other day."

"That'll be useful for our final exam," Zander said.

"Very," Ashley agreed. "I'll make sure we all get a chance to study them."

Zander smiled. "Except for Sam."

"No way," Ashley made a face.

"Okay," Zander said. "Do you want to play again? You still haven't beaten me."

"Sure," Ashley said, grabbing the cards.

"You're going down again, Malfoy," Zander boasted.

"I think this is my lucky game," Ashley returned.

Zander shook his head. "Not this one."

"Yeah right," Ashley told him.

Zander dealt the cards and looked at her. "You can go first."

Ashley tossed one down and grinned at him.

"Beginner's luck," Zander said tossing one down on top of hers.

Ashley scoffed. "I don't think so!"

"You think just because you beat your little sister at this all the time that you're going to beat me," Zander said as she threw another card down. "But so far, it hasn't happened yet."

"Until tonight," Ashley countered.

Zander threw down another card and winced when Ashley threw down a higher card.

"Beat that!" Ashley crowed.

Zander had no choice but to throw down a lesser card.

Ashley threw down her last card and raised her hands over her head. "I WIN!"

"Yeah, yeah," Zander grumbled.

Ashley giggled. "Finally!"

"Luck of the draw," Zander said taking the discards and putting them back in a pile. The cards reshuffled themselves.

"When do you have to take another picture?" Ashley asked, looking at her watch.

"Ten minutes," Zander said stifling a yawn.

"We only have a few more hours," Ashley said.

"Yeah, and it's not been that---" Zander started to say, but there was a rustling in the trees and Ashley's eyes grew large and she moved closer to him.

Zander grabbed her hand and squeezed it.

"Maybe it was just the wind," Ashley whispered.

"I hope so," Zander gulped nervously. "Maybe if we're really quiet whatever it is will go away."

Ashley nodded wordlessly. She tried to remember all the creatures they'd learned about that inhabited the forest.

The rustling was louder this time and Ashley and Zander scrambled backwards. Ashley was certain some dangerous creature was headed right for them when suddenly a beautiful white unicorn peeked through the bushes.

"Zander!" Ashley said excitedly. "Look at her!"

Zander could only stare in awe.

Ashley had never seen one before, but she'd heard enough about them from her grandparents, especially her grandfather. Ashley stood up and slowly walked toward the unicorn.

"Ash!" Zander whispered. "Are you sure you should do that?"

"They prefer a woman's touch," Ashley whispered back. "She's not going to hurt me."

Zander watched as Ashley inched forward and touched the unicorn on its velvety nose. It leaned in and nuzzled her palm.

Ashley smiled wanting so badly to sketch the unicorn. "You gave us quite a fright, you know?"

The unicorn stepped closer to her and pressed its head against her.

"My grandfather used to see them all the time when he'd go for walks with Hagrid," Ashley told Zander.

Zander nodded. "This is so cool."

Ashley nodded in agreement. She knew that when she told Brittany about this, her friend would hate that she'd missed the chance to see a real unicorn.

"You are so beautiful," Ashley said softly, running her fingers through its mane.

"What else did your grandfather tell you about them?" Zander asked, not sure if he could step any closer.

"They like girls," Ashley said. "And they're quite shy..."

"Sounds a bit like me," Zander joked.

"You aren't that shy," Ashley rubbed the unicorn's neck.

Zander took a few tentative steps forward.

"Really slow," Ashley coached him quietly.

Zander did as she requested.

Ashley grinned excitedly as Zander touched the unicorn.

"This is amazing," Zander said smiling at his friend.

"Yeah it is," Ashley agreed.

"You want to draw her, don't you?" Zander asked.

"I don't think she'd stay for me to do it," Ashley said wistfully.

"Maybe she would," Zander said thoughtfully.

"Guess I won't know unless I try," Ashley reluctantly withdrew her hand and reached for her sketchbook.

Zander stayed beside the unicorn to help keep her in place.

Ashley put her pencil to the paper and began to draw as quickly as she could.

Zander stood back as the unicorn stepped closer to Ashley.

She could hardly breathe as the unicorn came up close, looking her right in the eyes.

Zander smiled. Ashley had a habit of drawing those around her close to her.

"I can't believe this," Ashley's hand flew across the page.

"Maybe someday we'll be able to tell our grandchildren about this," Zander said without thinking. "Um...you know like your grandfather told you. And I'll tell my grandchildren that I have myself...not that I'd have them because I can't...."

Ashley blushed. "Right."

"You know, your grandchildren that you have and the grandchildren that---I'm just going to quit talking now," Zander said putting his head in his hands.

Ashley blushed even more as the unicorn reared back its head.

Zander sighed and wondered what in the world had possessed him to say something like that.

Ashley finished her sketch. "I got it," she said triumphantly.

Zander peered over her shoulder for a better look. "That's fantastic, Ash!"

"Thanks," Ashley said proudly.

The rest of the evening passed with no incidents. Their unicorn friend apparently decided to stick around and only got a little jumpy each time Zander took a photograph. Zander and Ashley took turns getting some sleep and were both a little sad to see the sun coming up.

"You made it," Ashley told him. "Sam has to eat crow."

"We both made it," Zander said helping her gather up their things.

Ashley watched as the unicorn cantered away into the forest. "I can't believe we got to see a real unicorn."

Zander grinned. "And you beat me for the first time ever in Exploding Snap. Don't forget that."

Ashley giggled. "Come on. We still have to sneak back in."

"Right," Zander said. "What--what time is it anyway?"

"Just past six," Ashley answered.

"We'd better hurry," Zander said.

Ashley nodded as they hurried back to the castle, keeping to the shadows.

They tried the front entrance, but the door was locked. They'd have to wait until the caretaker opened the door.

"Do you think he'll see us?" Ashley asked. "Filch loves getting any student into trouble."

"We'll wait until he opens the doors," Zander said. "And when he steps out...we'll sneak in...It’ll be easy."

"I hope so," Ashley said nervously.

She looked at her watch. She hoped that Filch would come out soon. They really needed to be inside.

"I can't wait to show the pictures to Sam," Zander wanted to alleviate her fears.

"Can't wait to see the look on his face," Ashley said.

"It'll be the second best part of the day," Zander smiled at her.

Ashley smiled back knowing what he meant.

It was a few minutes later when they heard the bolt across the door slide back.

Zander and Ashley held their breath, waiting for the door to open fully.

"....stupid children," Filch muttered to himself. "...Peeves..."

"Now," Zander whispered, grabbing her hand.

Ashley hurried inside after him.

"That was easier than I thought it would be," Zander whispered as they practically ran up to the common room.

Ashley nodded. "We made it, Zander!"

"Thanks again Ash," Zander told her.

"Remember, I wasn't there," Ashley said softly. "That was you and you alone."

"Oh yeah," Zander realised he was still holding her hand.

Ashley released his hand. "We had a good time, didn't we?"

Zander nodded. "We should do it again sometime," he joked.

Ashley giggled. "Maybe."

"I guess I'll see you at breakfast," Zander said.

"Right," Ashley said. "At least we'll get an hour or so of sleep before then."

"I hope so," Zander said. "Night Ash."

"Good morning, Zander," Ashley said grinning at him before disappearing up the staircase.

Zander watched her go before heading to his own dormitory. Sam was waiting for him when he opened the door.

"Murray," Sam said holding out his hand. "Let me see the camera."

Zander pulled it out of his and tossed it at him.

"You really stayed in the forest all night?" Sam asked.

"Yeah," Zander said shortly. "I did."

Cole Baxter, one of the other first-year Gryffindors, grinned. "I knew you'd do it, Zander."

"It wasn't so bad," Zander said. "Saw a unicorn."

"Big deal," Sam said trying to sound dismissive.

"That's awesome, Zander." Cole told him.

"Thanks," Zander said setting his bag down and kicking off his muddy trainers.

Sam seemed disappointed that Zander had actually gone through with it.

Sam set the camera down and stalked back toward his bed pulling the curtains shut.

Cole grinned. "He spent all night expecting you to run back in here. I'm glad you did it. Puts him in his place."

"He can talk when he spends the whole night out there," Zander said.

Cole laughed. "I'll see you later, Zander. Good job."

"Thanks," Zander said. It had been a long night and he was happy to get at least a few minutes of sleep in his own bed. But, he wouldn't have changed one moment of what had happened tonight.

204. Chapter 204

Authors’ note: We hope you enjoy the latest chapter---it has Frankie and Hannah along with the end of Saffron, Alexa, Mimi, Beth and Jake’s school career at Hogwarts. It seems like just yesterday, we were sending little Saffron off to Hogwarts. These kids are growing up wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too fast! We hope you enjoy it.

Despite the fact that she hadn't slept more than four or five hours at once since the twins' birth, Frankie was enjoying spending time with her children. She'd extended her leave with the team and was doing minor assignments when needed.

She'd stopped off in Harrods’s to purchase some new clothing for the children and Hannah had asked if they could go to the park afterwards since the weather was so nice.

"I think that sounds like a great idea," Frankie told her oldest daughter.

Hyde Park was just down the street and Hannah helped her mother with the pram.

"Shhh Izzie," Hannah said as Isabelle let out a little cry. "We're just going to the park. It's really fun there!"

"And your big sister and I are going to get an ice cream," Frankie said.

"Chocolate chip?" Hannah asked hopefully.

"Absolutely," Frankie said winking at her. "I hope your daddy likes the outfits we picked out for the babies. I know I went a little overboard..."

Hannah giggled. "Mummy, you always say that!"

"I couldn't resist," Frankie said. "And we picked up some lovely things for you for the beach, too. That little swimming costume was so adorable!"

"I can't wait to go back to Brighton again and play with Em," Hannah said happily.

"Hurricane Emma and Hurricane Hannah are about to hit Brighton," Frankie teased pushing the pram toward the ice cream stand.

"Em told me we can build an even bigger sand castle this year," Hannah told her mother. "Plus Daddy's going to help us again."

"I think he's already plotting out designs," Frankie said as they joined the queue.

Hannah grinned up at her. "And this time, it'll have an extra room for Nathan and Izzie."

"You are such a good big sister, Hannah," Frankie said affectionately.

An older woman who was standing in the queue behind them was staring at Hannah. Frankie caught the woman's eye.

"I'm sorry, miss," the older woman said. "Your daughter's name---did you say it was Hannah?"

Frankie gave the woman a strange look and put her hand on Hannah's shoulder. "Yes..." she said slowly. "Do we know you?"

"I'm sorry," the woman said hastily. "She reminds me of this little girl that lived beside me. Her name was Hannah too. Hannah Wright."

Hannah turned to look at the older woman and her eyes widened. "Mrs. Miller?"

"Hannah!" Mrs. Miller exclaimed, leaning down and engulfing the little girl in a big hug. "Look at how big you've gotten!"

Hannah remembered how nice Mrs. Miller had always been to her and she hugged her back. "Mummy, she used to live next door to me." she explained to Frankie.

"It's nice to meet you," Frankie said extending her hand. "I'm Frankie Barron."

"Delphinia Miller," the woman shook her hand. "My husband and I always wondered what happened to Hannah after... after... Abbie."

"Frankie's my mummy now," Hannah told her. "And I have a really nice Daddy."

"She's been with us for over a year now," Frankie told the woman. "We love her very much."

"She looks wonderful," Mrs. Miller looked affectionately at Hannah. "I'm so happy for you, darling."

"Why don't I buy us all some ice cream," Frankie said. "And you can catch up with Hannah?"

"I would love to, if you don't mind," Mrs. Miller replied.

"Of course not," Frankie said.

Hannah beamed at the woman who had showed her such kindness when she was little. She remembered how sometimes her mother would drop her off at Mrs. Miller's whenever her father was in one of his moods.

"This is my little sister and brother," Hannah looked into the pram. "Isabelle is in the purple and Nathan's in the blue."

Mrs. Miller peered into the pram. "They're adorable."

"I can already change their nappies," Hannah said proudly. "Mummy says I'm her bestest helper."

"She's a great help," Frankie said. "I don't know what we'd do without her."

Mrs. Miller smiled. "She's the mirror image of Abbie."

Frankie nodded. "She does look very much like her."

Hannah beamed up at them both. "What kind of ice cream do you want, Mrs. Miller?"

"I'm just a plain old vanilla fan," Mrs. Miller said with a laugh.

"You're just like Will, my husband," Frankie said placing their order. A few moments later, the three of them sat down on a bench. Hannah held onto Frankie's ice cream cone while she checked on the babies.

"I think they're just going to kip for awhile," Frankie pulled the cover over the top so her two youngest would be shaded from the sun. "Which will give us some time to visit."

"Do you still live in your old house?" Hannah asked.

Mrs. Miller nodded. "There's another couple our age who moved into your old house, Hannah."

Hannah nodded. Truth be told, she didn't miss that old house. The only happy memories she had there was the time she spent alone with her mother.

"Where do you live now?" Mrs. Miller asked her.

"We have a really nice house," Hannah said. "I have my own room! And my Daddy he painted it purple because it was my most favourite!"

"We did a mural on her walls," Frankie said. "It's got dragons and castles and everything."

Mrs. Miller smiled. "Hannah, I know you love that."

"I do," Hannah nodded. "Daddy calls me his princess all the time."

Mrs. Miller couldn't get over the transformation in the little girl she'd once known. It brought tears to her eyes.

"Mrs. Miller?" Hannah asked, her eyebrows coming together. "Are you okay?"

"I am," Mrs. Miller said. "I'm just really happy that you're doing well, Hannah."

"Thanks," Hannah smiled at her.

"The couple that bought your house is still tending to the garden you and your mum started," Mrs. Miller told her. "They were very impressed with how well you cared for it."

"It's still there?" Hannah asked. "Really?"

Mrs. Miller nodded. "It's still there."

"I got to plant a garden at home now too," Hannah said. "It has sunflowers and everything."

"You should see it," Frankie said to the older woman. "She's really worked hard on it."

"I'm sure it's beautiful," Mrs. Miller replied.

Hannah finished her ice cream and asked if she could go and play on the swings. Frankie gave the okay since the swings were close by and she could keep an eye on her daughter.

"I know this may not mean much," Mrs. Miller said once Hannah was occupied. "But thank you. She's so happy now. I always hoped she found a place where someone could take care of her."

Frankie smiled. "It does mean a lot. She's---Hannah changed everything for me and my husband. We love her very much."

"That's plain to see," Mrs. Miller replied. "Abbie loved her too... and it devastated us when she was killed, especially since we weren't sure where Hannah would go. Nigel and I talked about trying to take her in."

"She was put in foster care right afterwards," Frankie told her. "They placed her with friends of my family. That's how I met her and my heart just went out to her the moment I saw her."

"She's very loveable," Mrs. Miller agreed.

Frankie caught sight of Hannah swinging. She waved and Hannah waved back.

"I'm just so glad to see her so happy," Mrs. Miller followed her gaze. "You've brought out something in her."

"She still has nightmares every now and again, but she's really blossomed," Frankie said.

"David Wright was a horrible man," Mrs. Miller shook her head. "There were so many times we tried to help Abbie..."

Frankie shuddered as she thought of Hannah's biological father. "He's in prison and hopefully he'll never be released. I don't want him anywhere near my daughter."

"It was proven without a doubt that he killed Abbie," Mrs. Miller said. "I don't think he's ever going to get a chance to get out of there."

"How long did you live next door to Hannah?" Frankie asked.

"All her life," Mrs. Miller replied. "I remember when Abbie brought her home. She was such a beautiful baby."

"Did David ever care for her?" Frankie asked.

"Not that I can recall," Mrs. Miller answered.

Frankie shook her head. "How could you not love Hannah?"

"It's a foreign concept to me as well," Mrs. Miller said.

Frankie briefly told the woman about how David Wright had tried to blackmail them to sign over his parental rights.

"He is just despicable," the older woman said. "There would be times he just disappeared for days, sometimes even weeks. Those were the good times."

"That's what Hannah told us," Frankie said nodding. "She loved spending time alone with her mother."

"Abbie was a very good mother," Mrs. Miller confirmed.

"I haven't tried to take her place," Frankie said. "I know how important she is to Hannah. We encourage her to talk to us about her and we have some photographs..."

"Abbie would appreciate what you've done for Hannah." Mrs. Miller replied. "She tried so hard to leave David several times, but he wasn't above using Hannah as leverage."

Frankie shook her head. "Just when I think I've heard the worst about him..."

"He once even threatened to sue her for custody," Mrs. Miller looked back at Hannah, who was swinging high.

"No judge in his right mind would give him custody," Frankie commented.

"Abbie wasn't sure about that," Mrs. Miller said. "For all his faults, David could come across as quite charming if you didn't know him."

"I suppose," Frankie said. "I just---I'll do anything in my power to make sure he doesn't do any more damage to Hannah."

Mrs. Miller smiled. "I'm so glad she's found you and is your family now."

"Thank you," Frankie said. "And now that she's found you again...if you'd like to keep in touch..."

"I would love to," Mrs. Miller grew misty eyed. "I can't wait to tell Nigel about this."

Frankie took a piece of paper and a pen from her purse and scribbled down their address and phone number.

"I'd like to invite you and your family over for dinner some evening," Mrs. Miller said. "I'll ring you with a date if that's all right."

"That would be lovely," Frankie replied. "We'd like that."

"Wonderful," Mrs. Miller stood up.

Frankie motioned for Hannah to come back over to them. The little girl jumped out of her swing and ran over.

"I'll see you soon, darling," Mrs. Miller gave her a hug. "I'm so happy for you."

"It was good to see you!" Hannah said hugging her back. "I missed you."

Mrs. Miller kissed the top of her head. "I've missed you too. And you and your family are coming to dinner sometime soon."

Hannah grinned. "I'd like that and you can really meet with Nathan and Izzie when they're not asleep!"

"I'm really looking forward to it," Mrs. Miller said.

"It was a pleasure to meet you, Mrs. Miller," Frankie said giving the woman a hug. "Thank you for being kind to Hannah and to Abbie."

"I'd do it anytime," Mrs. Miller said warmly.

Hannah's old neighbour walked away and Frankie leaned down and picked up her daughter. "I saw you swinging high, Miss Barron."

"I was having fun," Hannah said, peeking into the pram at her brother and sister. "I never went that high before."

"You are a little daredevil," Frankie said kissing her cheek.

Hannah giggled. "What's a daredevil?"

"Someone who likes to go high and fast," Frankie explained.

"Oh,” Hannah nodded. "That's like Em!"

"Two little daredevils," Frankie nuzzling her daughter's nose.

Hannah hugged her tightly.

"You're my girl," Frankie whispered. "My sweet girl."

"I love you so, so much." Hannah said.

"I love you too," Frankie said patting Hannah's back. "You and your brother and sister are the most important people in the world to me."

"And Daddy too right?" Hannah asked.

"And Daddy too," Frankie said smiling at her. "So...where did you want to go next?"

"Um..." Hannah thought. "I don't know?"

"Monkey bars?" Frankie asked. "Merry-go-round?"

"Merry go round!" Hannah said excitedly.

"You know that when I was your age, it was my most favourite thing to do next to the swings," Frankie said setting her daughter back down. "I used to beg your Grandma Cho to let me go on there."

"She didn't want you to?" Hannah asked.

"Well, it was more like I didn't want to get off once I got on," Frankie admitted.

"I don't want to either!" Hannah took her hand. "Come on Mummy!"

Frankie laughed. "Wait! We have to get the pram!"

"Oh yeah," Hannah said sheepishly. "Sorry!"

Frankie laughed as she pushed the pram just behind Hannah.

Hannah hopped on the merry go round. "Will you push me?"

Frankie positioned the pram so she could keep an eye on the twins while she pushed her oldest daughter on the merry-go-round.

"Round and round we go!" Frankie said, pushing the circular ride.

Hannah held on to the bar and giggled as the wind played with her hair.

Frankie laughed too, happy to see Hannah so vibrant. Things had changed so much for her in the past few years but it seemed as if the bad times were finally behind her.

*** *** ***

Saffron walked into the Great Hall with Mimi, Beth and Alexa feeling more than a little sad. This was the last time she'd ever enter this room as a student. Maybe she'd come back here for visits like RJ and Andrew had, but it wouldn't be the same.

Seven years and it was over. There were so many happy memories here. It was hard to believe it was all coming to an end.

Beth sniffled. "Our last breakfast here," she said, wiping her eyes.

"The last time Peeves decides to replace my hair potion with paste," Mimi said touching her hair to make sure it wasn't sticky anymore.

"I think we got it all out, Meems," Alexa reassured her.

"Thank goodness," Mimi said. "I wouldn't want Jake to see me like that."

Saffron led the way over to the Gryffindor table. "There is one bright side...no more Severus Snape."

Alexa laughed. "The silver lining..."

"No more Oliver Wood," Beth said looking longingly at the faculty table. When her friends gave her a look, Beth blushed. "I am so over that. I was just saying that I'll miss seeing his....leadership."

Saffron, Alexa and Mimi burst out laughing. "Is THAT what you call it?" Saffron teased.

"I am absolutely head over heels for Peter," Beth said defensively.

"I sure hope so," Peter came up and slid an arm around her.

"Beth was just talking about your leadership," Mimi said with a grin.

"My leadership?" Peter asked, looking at his girlfriend.

"Nothing," Beth said hastily. "Come on...let's get something to eat before the rug rats eat it all."

Saffron sat down next to her best friend. "So when's Gabe coming back to London?"

"A week," Alexa replied. "What about yours? When is he finished with University?"

"Same time," Saffron answered. "I can't wait to see him."

Alexa felt a little teary when she realised that this would be the last summer she'd spend in London before she would head to the states for school.

Saffron squeezed her arm. "Lexie--"

Alexa gave her friend a hug. "Are you sure you can't come with me? We could have our own dorm room. You could play for the school golf team..."

Saffron laughed. "Tempting, but Puddlemere awaits me!"

"When you are counting your millions and millions of galleons, you can remember your poor friend slaving over her books," Alexa joked.

"I'll come take you out for a night on the town," Saffron promised her.

"I'm going to hold you to that," Alexa said smiling at her. "No matter what, we're always going to be best friends."

"Always," Saffron hugged her again.

Mimi wiped at her eyes. "This is it, isn't it?"

"Meems we'll still see each other," Saffron said. "And you are all invited to ALL my matches."

"You could have had your pick of any job in the Ministry though," Beth said. "I mean, you received 'outstanding' in every single one of your N.E.W.T.s, Saffy."

"Quidditch is my dream though," Saffron said, pouring herself some juice. "I've wanted to play for as long as I can remember."

"Since you came out of the womb, probably," Peter said.

"That sounds about right," Saffron joked as Ashley, Brittany and Zander came into the Great Hall.

"Do you smell that?" Brittany asked happily. "I smell...summer. You know what that means, right? No more books. No more tests. No more getting up at ungodly hours."

"You act as if we're up at the crack of dawn every day," Zander rolled his eyes.

"We are," Brittany said. "Classes shouldn't start until at least ten, Zander. A person can't be expected to think at that time."

Zander and Ashley both looked at each other and shook their heads.

"Come on," Zander said. "I'm starving."

"Me too," Ashley agreed. "And we won't get to eat like this for three months!"

"You have that cool nanny though," Brittany pointed out. "She's a great cook."

"I can't wait to see Sophie too," Ashley said wistfully.

"Even Katie?" Brittany asked.

Ashley laughed. "Yes, I've missed Katie as well."

"She probably won't even miss us," Brittany said to her cousin with a wink.

Zander glared at her.

"Of course I'll miss you two," Ashley replied. "But you're coming to Brighton for a few days, right?"

"Absolutely," Brittany promised.

"It's going to be so much fun," Ashley said enthusiastically.

Zander smiled. "And maybe I can ask your grandfather for tips on flying."

"He told me he'd give you a lesson or two if you want," Ashley told him.

Zander beamed at her. "Really?"

Ashley nodded. "He loves to talk about flying."

Brittany opened her magazine of Witch Weekly and a dreamy expression came over her face as she saw a picture of a male model. "Maybe I can see a bloke who looks like this on the beach!"

Ashley grinned. "That's Hans."

Brittany gaped at her. "You know him?"

"Yeah," Ashley said. "He's married to Darla, my aunt Maddie's sister."

"SHUT UP!" Brittany exclaimed. "Really?"

Zander rolled his eyes. "She's drooling again..."

Ashley giggled. "Brittany you are a little boy crazy."

"When there are so many great looking guys out there, who can blame me?" Brittany turned a page in her magazine.

"Six more years of this," Zander grumbled.

"You love every minute of it," Brittany retorted.

Saffron caught her niece's eye and waved. "Morning, Ash."

"Hi Aunt Saffy," Ashley smiled at her. "Enjoying your last breakfast here?"

Saffron nodded. "I'm a little sad."

"I would be too," Ashley said. "It's going to be weird without you here next year."

"You're going to be just fine," Saffron said. "And you can write me any time."

"Thanks," Ashley said gratefully.

"Hello, Potter," Mary Ellen came up behind her old nemesis.

"Mary Ellen," Saffron said coolly. "Can I help you?"

"I just wanted to say goodbye," Mary Ellen said looking disdainfully at her. "Have fun playing your little...game."

Saffron smiled sweetly. "I will thanks. And I'll enjoy my millions of Galleons with it."

Mary Ellen rolled her eyes. "I'm interning at the Ministry. I expect that some day I'll be the Minister for Magic and I'll do a damn sight better than your mother ever did."

Saffron stood up angrily. "I'd like to see you try, you stupid cow."

"I will," Mary Ellen countered, not backing down. "Mark my words."

"My mum is the best Minister there ever was," Saffron advanced on her, making Mary Ellen stumble a step. "And if I hear you spreading anything otherwise--"

"Go away, Mary Ellen," Alexa said.

"Sod off you follower," Mary Ellen sneered.

Alexa rolled her eyes. "That really hurt."

"That girl has a screw loose," Brittany said in a voice loud enough for them all to hear.

"She's a wannabe," Mimi said. "And that's all she'll ever be. The day she's Minister is the day that I'll leave the country."

The entire table laughed at that and Mary Ellen stomped off in a huff.

"What's this about her interning at the Ministry?" Saffron asked. "Apparently her father works with the Goblin Liaison Office," Jake said. "I heard her bragging about it last night. He was able to pull some strings to get her in."

"She won't last long," Alexa shook her head. "Too much work and too little glory."

Mimi groaned. "I hope I don't have to see that much of her." Mimi was also going to work at the Ministry for the Department of Magical Games and Sports.

"I doubt you will," Jake put his arm around her.

"How are things with Headmaster Hottie and your mum?" Brittany asked boldly.

"Brit!" Zander shook his head. "I knew you had no tact, but this is ridiculous."

Brittany looked at him. "What?"

Mimi laughed. "It's okay, Zander. Brittany, you will be happy to know that they are still dating and seem to be really happy."

"She's so lucky," Brittany cast a dreamy glance at the staff table.

Ashley could only shake her head.

"So what are you guys doing until the train takes us home?" Saffron asked her niece and friends.

"I still have to pack," Ashley said.

"Me too," Brittany answered.

"Me too," Saffron said. "I've kept putting it off."

"I packed last night," Alexa confessed.

"I can't believe that in a few months someone else is going to be sleeping in our room," Mimi said frowning. "That's been our home for seven years and now..."

"Meems, it's just a room," Jake said.

"But it's OUR room," Mimi objected.

"I guess it's different for blokes," Alexa guessed. "They're not as sentimental as we are."

Jake shared a look with Peter who shook his head. "I already got my stuff out," the Ravenclaw replied.

"Me too," Jake said.

"Aren't you going to miss this place?" Mimi asked him. "Sure, you can come back and visit, but it's not going to be the same, Jake."

"Long as I get to see you often enough, it doesn't matter where I am," Jake sent her a grin.

"Good save," Saffron said laughing.

"That was no save," Jake put his arm around Mimi.

"We'll still see each other," Saffron tried to reassure her friends.

"As much as possible," Beth replied.

Alexa smiled. "Absolutely."

"You're going to be in sunny California," Peter pointed out. "You're not going to come back to rainy, old England."

"I'll be back," Alexa returned with a grin. "You can't get rid of me that easily."

"She'd better come back every now and again," Saffron said pulling a stern face. "Or I'll come and drag her back."

"What happened to our night on the town?" Alexa asked with mock indignation.

"Yes, well, it's not the same as home," Saffron said wistfully. She was happy for her best friend, but she really was going to miss her when she was gone. "You're probably going to meet some airhead named Bambi and you'll become her best friend."

Alexa rolled her eyes. "Yeah right, Saffy. You're rather irreplaceable."

"And you shouldn't look down your nose at someone with the name Bambi," Jake joked. "Seeing as you're named after a spice."

"I am named after an ACTRESS," Saffron informed him.

"Sure thing, spice girl," Jake said with a grin. This caused Saffron to throw a grape at him.

"Very mature," Mimi smacked his arm.

"Aunt Saffy's name is unique," Ashley chimed in.

"Thanks Ash," Saffron grinned at her.

Ashley grinned. "Do you need me to help you with your packing, Aunt Saffy?"

"I think I'm okay Ash," Saffron told her. "Lexie will help me, right?"

"Of course," Alexa said. "We can get started after breakfast if you like."

"We'll have to," Beth said with a groan.

"We only have a few hours," Mimi said starting to sob again.

"Meems," Jake said. "Come on--"

"I'm sorry," Mimi said throwing her arms around him and crying onto his shoulder.

"I think I'll feel the same way when it's time for us to go," Ashley told her friends.

"Me too," Brittany said.

Brittany looked expectantly at her cousin. "Zander?"

"What?" Zander asked. "Oh... yeah. I'll miss it here too."

"But we have six more years to go," Ashley said smiling at him. "And hopefully no more nights in the forest."

"That wasn't so bad," Zander grinned back at her.

"No, it wasn't," Ashley said softly. "Not at all."

Brittany rolled her eyes. Despite being too scared to stay with her cousin and best friend, she was jealous of having missed seeing the unicorn.

"I'll never get over the look on Sam's face," Ashley said. "When he found out you'd done it."

"It was so great when I walked in with the camera," Zander replied. "He would hardly talk to anyone all day. Smarmy git."

"You and Ash got the best of him twice this year," Brittany said with a grin. "She got your cards back and even though he doesn't know it, she was there in the forest."

"Shhh," Zander shushed her. "Don't tell everyone Brit."

"Right," Brittany said looking around to make sure no one had heard.

Saffron was about to get up when suddenly she felt herself being picked up with such force it nearly took her breath away.

"Saffy," Hagrid blubbered, hugging her to him.

"Hagrid!" Saffron wheezed.

"I remember when you was just a babe," Hagrid said releasing her. "And now---"

"You'll have to come to my matches," Saffron said. "I'll definitely hear you over the crowd, Hagrid."

Hagrid wiped at his eyes. He'd watched Harry grow up and he'd also had the privilege of teaching his three children.

"Hagrid," Julie said coming over to join them. "Are you going to be okay?"

"I think so," Hagrid pulled out a handkerchief the size of a blanket and blew his nose.

Jake and Peter would have made a joke if Hagrid wasn't a half giant. They stared up in awe at him.

"This place isn't going to the same without our Saffy," Julie said and Hagrid nodded. He patted Saffron on the top of her head. "She's sommat special."

"Thanks Hagrid," Saffron hugged him again. "I'll miss you too."

Ashley stood up and walked over to Hagrid. "I made something for you, Hagrid. It's a goodbye present. Maybe it will make you feel better."

Julie smiled at her daughter. "How sweet of you, Ash."

Hagrid unfolded the paper and grinned. "That's---"

"It's your hut," Ashley said looking up at him. "I used watercolours on it."

Large tears leaked out of the half giant's eyes.

"I think he likes it," Brittany whispered.

"I love it," Hagrid wiped his nose again.

Ashley beamed at him. "Really?"

Hagrid nodded. "Thank you Ashley."

"Professor Malfoy, do you have big plans for the summer hols?" Peter asked.

"Just being with my family," Julie replied.

"She's the best Defence professor we've had since Remus Lupin," Hagrid declared.

"Thank you," Julie said graciously.

"And you were the best Care of Magical Creatures professor," Saffron told Hagrid.

"Always," Mimi agreed.

Hagrid grinned. "Well, I'll see you lot at the station."

"I should really go pack before we run out of time," Saffron said.

"I'll come with," Alexa said. "We'll catch up with you guys later, okay?"

"See you in a bit," Mimi replied.

Alexa linked her arm with Saffron's. "How are you holding up?"

"Fine," Saffron answered.

"It's hard to believe that it's all coming to an end," Alexa said.

"Too fast," Saffron agreed.

Alexa smiled at her best friend. "Would you change anything if you could?"

Saffron thought for a moment. "I'm not sure," She said truthfully. "I mean... not school wise, but personally, perhaps."

"Such as?" Alexa asked.

"That whole thing with RJ," Saffron said. "Sometimes I think... if I'd only let go of all that earlier, I'd still be with Andrew. But now I have Sean... and I care about him so much too."

"But it's not the same?" Alexa guessed. "As what you felt for Andrew?"

"Not... yet." Saffron answered hesitantly.

"Everything happens for a reason," Alexa said thoughtfully standing back so Saffron could open the door to her suite.

"I know," Saffron answered. "And it makes me feel guilty for missing Andrew when Sean loves me."

"Andrew was your first love," Alexa said following her into the room. "You never really get over your first love."

"Are you saying you still have feelings for RJ?" Saffron asked her.

Alexa sat down on the edge of Saffron's bed. "I will always feel something for him, Saffy. But, I made a choice to move on and I love Gabe."

Saffron smiled at her. "And I'm sure you can't wait to see him."

"I can't," Alexa said grinning back at her.

Saffron tossed a few jumpers into her trunk. "When we were home for Easter, Sean told me he wanted to get intimate."

"Are you ready for that step?" Alexa asked.

"I don't know," Saffron said. "I guess if I say that, then probably not."

"Don't let him pressure you into it," Alexa said.

"I won't," Saffron said. "He promised not to pressure me. He said he'd wait until I was ready. And part of me really, really wants to, Lexie."

"But if you're not sure---"

"I suppose I'll figure it out when the time comes," Saffron sighed.

"If you need to talk," Alexa said. "I'm here."

Saffron hugged her tightly. "Thanks Lexie."

"It's going to be a great summer," Alexa said getting to her feet. She helped her friend load some books into her trunk.

"Back to Brighton," Saffron said. "I'm glad you'll be coming with again. Wouldn't be the same without you now."

"Your family has always treated me like one of their own," Alexa said. "And I love getting to see Emma, Caroline and Adam."

"They love you still," Saffron said with a grin.

"I love them, too," Alexa said. "They're growing up way too fast!"

"I can't believe Emma's going on five already," Saffron shook her head as she dumped a pile of clothes into her trunk.

"And the triplets will be starting Hogwarts before we know it," Alexa said.

"Don't even say it!" Saffron squealed.

"Maybe someday, we'll both have little girls," Alexa said with a grin. "And they'll be best friends like we are."

"Of course they will be," Saffron said. "Best of best friends."

Alexa looked at Saffron's bedside table at the framed photograph of the two of them. "Were we really this young?"

"Feels so long ago," Saffron sat down next to her. "Look at those pigtails!"

Alexa giggled. "And me with those buck teeth. Thankfully, I was fitted for my braces a few weeks after that."

"And now you have an absolutely gorgeous smile," Saffron said loyally.

"As do you," Alexa said grinning at her. "I was so glad that we both had braces at the same time.”

"They looked terrible on me," Saffron tucked the picture away. "Ethan never let me live them down."

"They looked great on you," Alexa said.

"No way," Saffron shook her head.

"They did," Alexa said hitting her in the arm. "You are just fishing for compliments."

"Look who's talking," Saffron nudged her back. "Buck teeth my arse!"

"I looked like a rabbit!" Alexa exclaimed.

"Whatever," Saffron grabbed the rest of her clothes from the dresser.

"You have the most books of anyone I know," Alexa said putting some more of Saffron's collection into her trunk.

"Thanks to my Mum," Saffron replied.

"You could start your own library," Alexa teased.

"Maybe I will," Saffron returned.

Alexa laughed. "You're well on your way, Miss Potter."

"I'm still in shock at the offer Puddlemere made me," Saffron said, throwing her robes on the heap of stuff in her trunk.

"You deserve it," Alexa said. "You're one of the best players in the country."

"I just hope it all works out," Saffron said fervently.

"It will," Alexa reassured her. "This is only the beginning."

"For all of us," Saffron said. "You're going off to school- but at least you'll get to be with Gabe more often."

Alexa smiled. "He's going to have a full schedule, but we'll fit in time when we can."

"You'll figure out a way to see him every day, if I know you." Saffron answered.

"Maybe," Alexa grinned. "So...what do you want to do with these papers?'

"I should pass them to Ash," Saffron said with a grin.

"I'll pack them," Alexa said putting them in the trunk.

"Lexie!" Saffron laughed.

"What?" Alexa asked laughing.

"Come on, they could help her out." Saffron said. "She'd never hand them in as hers."

Alexa took them back out and handed them to Saffron. "I know she wouldn't."

"I gave her all my potions texts already," Saffron said.

"She doesn't need them," Alexa said. "From what Brittany told me, she's Snape's favourite student."

"Amazing isn't it?" Saffron shook her head.

"The fact that her last name is Malfoy and not Potter probably has something to do with that," Alexa said thoughtfully.

"Maybe," Saffron shrugged. "In any case, I'm glad she's doing good here on her own."

"She is," Alexa said.

"I think that's it," Saffron looked around her room.

"Don't forget this little guy," Alexa said petting Puddles.

"Never," Saffron swooped her dog up. "Are you excited to go home, baby?"

Puddles let out a bark.

"I think that's a yes," Saffron grinned.

"Well," Alexa said looking around. "I guess this is it."

Saffron nodded reluctantly. "Part of me doesn't ever want to leave."

"Me either," Alexa agreed, her eyes tearing up.

Saffron put Puddles down and hugged her tightly.

"Do you wonder if RJ and Andrew hugged like this before they left Hogwarts?" Alexa asked in a choked voice.

"Probably not," Saffron answered. "They both seemed pretty eager to get out of here."

"Boys," Alexa said rolling her eyes.

"They never change, do they?" Saffron asked, waving her wand over her trunk to shrink it down.

"No," Alexa laughed. "They never do."

"But we still love them," Saffron picked up Puddles's leash and hooked her arm into Alexa's.

"This isn't the end," Alexa said. "We're just beginning a new chapter in our lives."

205. 205

Sorry this one’s a bit late, but I made it longer than usual. Those of you who have been wanting E/M time, you got your wish! PLEASE review!

"I hope so," Saffron thought about Sean. "I really, really hope so."

In London, Natalia was just waking up and she reached for Andrew but he wasn't there. She sat up in bed and spotted him looking out the window. A smile came over her face as she looked at him.

"Good morning," she whispered.

"Morning," he turned around with a smile.

"Come back to bed," she said smiling back at him. "It's lonely in here by myself."

"Sorry," Andrew crawled back in next to her.

Natalia rested her head on his chest. "This is much better."

He ran his hand through her dark hair. "It is nice," he agreed.

"Do you think anyone would notice if we just stayed here all week?" Natalia asked.

Andrew laughed. "My parents might put out a missing persons report."

"Mine too," Natalia laughed.

"But for now," Andrew wrapped his arms around her. "I think we're okay."

Natalia sighed contentedly. "I love being here with you."

"I like it too," Andrew answered.

Natalia giggled when Andrew nuzzled her neck. "That tickles."

"What about this?" Andrew ran his hand lightly down her side.

"Mmmmm," Natalia said closing her eyes.

"And this..." Andrew kissed just under her ear.

"Yes, that's really, really nice," Natalia whispered.

"I thought you might like that," Andrew sneaked his hand upwards.

"Andrew," Natalia said softly.

"Hmm?" he asked.

"You're amazing," Natalia replied.

"So are you," he nipped at her lower lip.

Natalia kissed him back. The more time she spent with him, the further she fell in love. She hadn't told him how she was feeling because she didn't want to scare him off and she wanted him to say it first.

Oblivious to her thoughts, he pulled back. "Are you hungry?"

"Yes, actually," Natalia replied.

"I'll make us some breakfast," Andrew said, running his hands through his hair.

"Do you need some help?" Natalia asked.

"Sure," he turned and grinned at her.

Natalia pulled back the covers. "Let me get dressed."

"I'll meet you in the kitchen," Andrew pulled some trousers on.

"Okay," Natalia said giving him a kiss.

Andrew stayed quiet as he went past RJ's room. He and Audrey had come in late last night and would probably be enjoying a lie in.

He thought briefly about what to make Natalia for breakfast before deciding on waffles, which he knew was her favourite.

He had just poured the batter into the griddle when she came into the kitchen.

Natalia grinned at him. "You are going to spoil me."

"I'm trying," Andrew replied teasingly.

"I'll make the coffee," Natalia offered.

"Thanks," Andrew replied, peeking to make sure the waffles weren't burning.

Natalia quickly started a pot of coffee and leaned against the counter.

"What?" Andrew asked when he caught her watching him.

"Nothing," she said innocently.

"Yeah right," Andrew said with a grin.

"Can't a girl look at the bloke she fancies?" Natalia asked.

"Nothing wrong with that," Andrew replied.

"You know, I really was going to go to my own place last night," Natalia said pouring them both a cup of coffee. "But then you tricked me with that 'massage'."

"I knew that would get you to stay," Andrew replied as she added some cream to each cup.

"You're a devious person, Andrew Kirke," Natalia teased.

"Somehow I don't think you mind," Andrew put a large waffle on a plate and handed it to her.

"No complaints here," Natalia said eagerly taking the plate.

"Syrup?" he asked.

"Yes, please," Natalia said smiling at him.

"What smells so good out here?" RJ appeared in the doorway.

"I made waffles for Talia," Andrew replied. "And no, I haven't made any for you."

"Why not?" RJ whined.

"Oh, for Merlin's sake," Andrew rolled his eyes. "Fine, Junior. I'll make you some waffles."

"And a few for Aud as well?" RJ asked sheepishly. "She's hungry."

"Okay," Andrew muttered.

"They're delicious, Andrew," Natalia told her boyfriend.

"Thanks," Andrew smiled at her. "There are a few more there."

RJ poured himself a cup of coffee.

"Nice hair," Andrew said sarcastically.

"I just got out of bed, mate," RJ pointed out.

"Where's Audrey?" Natalia asked.

"Right here," Audrey said joining them. "Morning."

"Hey baby," RJ said. "Coffee?"

"Please," Audrey replied sitting down beside Natalia.

"Andrew's making us waffles," RJ told her. "So we don't have to starve."

"That's very nice of Andrew," Audrey said.

"That's me," Andrew said. "A nice guy."

"A very nice guy," Natalia echoed.

Andrew smiled at her before turning his attention back to the waffles.

Audrey smiled at Natalia. "How was your night?"

"Wonderful as always," Natalia said dreamily. "Yours?"

"Wonderful as always," Audrey teased, echoing Natalia's tone.

"Very funny," Natalia nudged her. "What did you guys do?"

"A girl never tells," Audrey said laughing.

RJ grinned at her from across the table, making Natalia giggle.

"Here you are," Andrew said setting a large plate of waffles down.

"These smell delicious," Audrey said. "Thanks Andrew."

"You're very welcome," Andrew said sitting down beside Natalia.

"I certainly worked up an appetite last night," RJ said without thinking.

Audrey blushed. "RJ!"

Andrew sent his friend a wicked grin.

"A girl never tells, but obviously a bloke does," Natalia said laughing.

"RJ's never been known to keep his mouth shut," Andrew told her.

"Part of my charm," RJ said before taking a bite of his waffle.

Audrey shook her head, her face flaming.

"So what have you two got planned for today?" Natalia asked, trying to help her friend out.

"I have to go in to work in a couple of hours," Audrey replied. "Lunch shift."

"And I have some publicity thing at Quality Quidditch Supplies," RJ said. "Meeting my adoring fans..."

"All three of them?" Andrew asked dryly.

"Very funny McDreamy," RJ retorted.

Audrey laughed. "What about you?"

"I have practise later today," Andrew replied.

"We both do," Natalia corrected. "I have a feeling it's going to be a rough one."

"They'll be rougher on me than you," Andrew replied.

"I guess it will be my turn to give you the massage then," Natalia said squeezing his shoulder.

"I'm holding you to that," Andrew said with a grin.

"Aud, will you do the same for me?" RJ asked. "My arm's going to be hurting after all those autographs..."

Audrey rolled her eyes. "Why not have one of your three adoring fans massage it for you?" she asked with a grin.

RJ shrugged. "They're not as beautiful as you."

"That's a line if I ever heard one," Andrew whispered to Natalia.

"A pretty good one though," Natalia said.

It was, in fact. Audrey was beaming at her boyfriend.

She leaned across the table and gave him a kiss.

Andrew shook his head. "I don't know what your secret is..."

"We're just very happy," Audrey said softly.

"Very, very happy," RJ moved to the chair next to hers.

"Very, very, happy," Audrey giggled.

RJ nuzzled her neck. "What say we have breakfast in bed?"

Audrey nodded.

"Thanks for the food, mate." RJ grabbed a few extra waffles.

"You're welcome," Andrew said laughing with Natalia as Audrey and RJ hurried back to RJ's room.

"Their relationship has obviously progressed to the next level," Natalia commented.

"Sure seems that way," Andrew agreed, leaning back.

"What time is practise?" Natalia asked. "Two?"

Andrew nodded. "Want to have breakfast in bed as well?"

Natalia moved over and sat on his lap. "That could get rather messy...."

"Uh oh," Andrew said softly.

Natalia leaned in and kissed him.

Andrew moved his hands up her back, and then settled them down on her hips.

Natalia arched against him.

"Talia," he whispered.

"I love it when you call me that," she said huskily.

"Talia," he said kissing her neck.

"Never mind the breakfast," she said with a smile, her eyes closing.

Andrew effortlessly stood up with her in his arms.

"I love how strong you are," Natalia wrapped her arms around him.

"You do?" Andrew asked grinning at her. "I should pick you up more often then."

"Was that a line?" Natalia asked, laughing.

"Maybe," Andrew said carrying her into his room. "Was it a good one?"

"It works for me," she whispered.

Andrew set her down on the bed. "Now who's spoiling who?"

"I rather like it when you spoil me," she stretched out.

Andrew's eyes darkened as he looked at her.

"You're too far away," Natalia said softly.

Andrew settled down beside her. He brushed a strand of hair behind her ear.

"You're the best boyfriend I've ever had," Natalia confessed.

"Me?" Andrew asked. "I find that hard to believe..."

"You are perfect," Natalia replied.

"Hardly," Andrew smiled down at her. "I have too many faults."

Natalia pulled him close. "You haven't shown any to me."

Andrew kissed her. "I think you're pretty perfect, too."

Meanwhile, in RJ's room, he'd set a warming charm on the plates while he and Audrey kissed heatedly.

"I like breakfast in bed," Audrey said breathlessly.

"Me too," RJ peeled off the t shirt she was wearing. "Becoming my favourite meal of the day when you're involved."

Audrey giggled. "You like every meal, RJ."

"But I really like when you're on the menu," RJ grinned at her. "Pun intended."

"You make me laugh," Audrey said.

"Good," RJ kissed her again.

"I love you," Audrey said softly.

He grinned. "I love you too, Aud."

"Last night was amazing," Audrey said.

"It was," RJ agreed, stroking her cheek.

"Thank you for being patient," Audrey said smiling up at him.

"Hey you were worth it," RJ kissed her.

Audrey pulled him even closer. "So were you."

"I wish you didn't have to work today," RJ nuzzled her ear. "And that I didn't have to go to that publicity thing."

"And deny those three fans?" Audrey teased.

RJ poked her.

"Those people are counting on you," Audrey said. "And we'll have tonight. I might even cook for you if you're really nice."

"Oh yeah?" he asked. "What will you make?"

"I'm going to surprise you," Audrey replied.

"I like that idea," RJ rolled her on top of him.

"I love you, RJ Weasley," Audrey said.

"I love you too, Marlowe," RJ ran his hands through her hair.

Audrey smiled down at him, feeling that it couldn't get better than this. She was in love with an incredible man. He had waited for her and she wished that they'd always be this happy.

"You know," RJ said. "We could always take a shower before you have to leave for work."

"And you would like to be clean for your three fans," Audrey said giggling.

RJ poked her side. "I have more than three fans."

"Yes," Audrey said. "Well, with me...that's four."

RJ laughed. "Smartarse. You take after my brother too much. He's been coaching you, hasn't he?"

"Maybe a little," Audrey admitted. "So, come on...let's get in that shower...."

RJ kissed her. "You do sort of smell..."

"I might swoon," Audrey said hitting him in the arm before getting to her feet. "Last one in the shower is a wanker!"

"That'll be you," RJ caught her around the waist and pushed her behind him.

"You don't fight fair!" Audrey squealed.

"All's fair in love and war," RJ called out over his shoulder.

*** *** ***

Ethan couldn't wait for the work day to finish. He was looking forward to hitting the beach and spending the next two weeks relaxing. The last few weeks had been hectic with the Auror Department involved in a number of surprise raids.

Now, all that stood between him and his holiday was the mountain of paperwork on his desk.

"Time to get this monster tackled," he said to himself, trying to keep his mind off his wife in the white bikini she'd promised to bring along.

"I'll help," Justin offered. "Seeing as you helped me a couple of months ago when Sarah and I went on holiday."

"Thanks mate," Ethan replied. "I appreciate it."

"What time are you leaving?" Justin asked.

"As soon as I possibly can," Ethan replied with a grin.

Justin laughed. "You just think of me slaving away here while you're on the beach with your hot wife."

"That'll be the first thing that pops into my head," Ethan deadpanned.

Justin laughed and grabbed a handful of the files. He looked at the clock on the wall. "Your dad and Neville have been gone a long time. How long would the Wizengamot need to convict Dolohov? It's open and shut, Ethan."

"I know," Ethan agreed. "But you know how crooked it can get sometimes. With my dad there though, there's no way Dolohov could get off."

"I wish I could have been there when you and your Dad brought him in," Justin said wistfully.

"It was great," Ethan remembered. "He was threatening all this nonsense left and right."

"Mr. Hero," Justin said throwing a balled up piece of parchment at him.

"Yeah, yeah." Ethan tossed it back.

"Ethan?" one of the departmental secretaries called out to him. "There was an urgent message from downstairs. You're wanted in the courtroom."

"I am?" Ethan asked. "Thanks..."

"Your dad probably wants you to be there when they throw the book at Dolohov," Justin said. "I'll try and make headway in this for you, mate."

"Thanks man," Ethan clapped him on the shoulder before pulling his robes on and heading downstairs.

He couldn't help feeling a little excited. This was his first time being called into the Wizengamot. It was probably like Justin said. And Ethan thought he should be there since he was the one who had arrested Dolohov in the first place.

He showed his badge to the guards at the door and they admitted him inside. Ethan had to keep his jaw from dropping as he made his way to where his father and Neville were sitting.

Harry didn't have a chance to explain anything to his son. Susan Bones was presiding over the case and she called out to Ethan. "Would you have a seat, Auror Potter? We have some questions for you."

"Sure," Ethan said. "I mean... of course, Your Honour."

Harry could only look on as his son was being led to the wolves so to speak. He wished that he'd had the chance to warn his son.

"Could you state your name for the court?" Susan asked him in a crisp, business-like tone.

"Auror Ethan James Potter," Ethan replied.

"How long have you been employed as an Auror?" Susan asked.

"Three years your Honour," Ethan replied.

"Could you tell the court what your assignment was for the weekend of November 14th of last year?" Susan asked.

"My father and I had gotten wind of Nicholai Dolohov's plan to finish his father, Antonin Dolohov's work. He planned to assassinate my... the Minister for Magic." Ethan still grew angry at the thought of this man putting his mother in any danger.

"And you tracked him to a cottage just outside of Reading?" Susan asked, reading from Harry's earlier testimony.

"Yes," Ethan nodded.

"Could you please tell us in detail what happened that night?" Susan asked. Ethan nodded. "My father was in charge of securing the perimeter. I was the junior Auror so it was my job to confront the target. Before I had a chance to knock on his door, I heard a commotion from inside."

"What happened after that?" Susan pressed.

"I knocked the door down," Ethan replied. "I apprehended the suspect..."

"Did you identify yourself?" Susan asked.

"No..." Ethan replied truthfully. "It all happened quite fast--"

"Mr. Dolohov has testified that you barged into his home without identifying yourself or explaining his rights...." Susan read from the earlier testimony. "He also stated that you used excessive force...."

"I did what I had to do to apprehend him," Ethan stated.

"I thought he was going to kill me!" Dolohov exclaimed suddenly, pointing a pale finger in Ethan's direction.

Harry's knuckles were white and he almost leapt from his chair.

"He made a snide comment about my mother," Ethan remembered. "I might have grabbed his arm and pushed him against the wall, but I never---"

"Almost knocked me out, he did," Dolohov said. "I never even had a chance."

"Mr. Dolohov, please," Susan said looking sternly at him. "No more outbursts."

"Yes your Honour," Dolohov looked back down at his lap.

"When did your father enter the cottage?" Susan asked.

"After I had Dolohov apprehended," Ethan looked confused. "Your Honour, it was proven that he was going to carry out plans to assassinate the Minister."

"Given your relationship with the Minister, I don't believe that you or your father should have been involved in the mission," Susan said looking in Harry's direction.

"But your Honour--" Ethan objected. "Remus Lupin gave it to us- he knew we'd track him down!"

"Thank you for your testimony," Susan said, cutting him off. "We will need a few moments before we make a final ruling. I ask that the courtroom be cleared."

Ethan stepped down and went over to his father, who was positively seething.

"Dad, I didn't do anything wrong," Ethan said, hoping his father believed him.

"I know you didn't," Harry assured him.

"I heard the commotion inside that cottage and I knocked the door down," Ethan remembered. "He didn't even look as if he was surprised to see me! And then he made that shite remark about Mum and I grabbed him, but I didn't hurt him."

"I know you didn't," Harry said again. "I was in there not a minute later and he was fine."

"You don't think he's going to get off, do you?" Ethan asked.

"I really hope not," Harry said grimly.

Ethan put his head in his hands.

Harry patted his son's shoulder. "You told the truth, Ethan. That's all we could have asked you to do."

"The evidence against Dolohov is vast," Neville tried to reassure him. "Susan will take that into account."

"She's always been fair," Harry nodded.

Ethan leaned against the wall wishing he had a time turner to go back and do things differently.

"I heard that a verdict was coming down," Hermione said joining them. "I'm not too late, am I?"

"You're just in time," Harry kissed his wife's cheek.

"Just in time to watch my career go up in flames," Ethan grumbled.

"It is not," Hermione assured him.

Ethan told his mother about what had happened in the courtroom. "He said that he thought I was going to kill him."

Hermione frowned. "But it's okay for him to want to kill me?"

"No," Ethan said. "I just---"

"Everyone please come back into the courtroom for the verdict," Susan's voice boomed into the corridor.

Ethan felt as if he was the one on trial. Silently, he followed his parents and Neville back into the courtroom.

"Be seated," Susan said, looking over at the Potter family.

Hermione put her hand on her son's arm.

"You followed procedure," Harry told his son in a low voice. "They have nothing to get you on. Trust me."

"Mr. Dolohov," Susan announced. "Would you please stand?"

Dolohov stood up and smirked in Ethan's direction.

Ethan clenched his fists and Susan prepared to read the verdict.

"Mr. Dolohov, you have been charged with conspiracy to commit murder against the Minister for Magic," Susan said solemnly. "The Wizengamot has deliberated over the testimony and evidence presented and we have reached a verdict."

Ethan closed his eyes.

"On the charge of conspiracy to commit murder, you have been found guilty," Susan read.

Ethan opened his eyes in surprise.

Hermione squeezed his hand. "I told you," she whispered.

"But," Susan continued, making Ethan and Harry look back up.

"What?" Ethan asked in disbelief.

"But, we cannot overlook the fact that during your arrest certain procedures were not followed," Susan announced grimly.

"You have bloody got to be kidding me," Ethan looked at his father.

Harry was speechless.

"Mr. Dolohov, you are free to go," Susan finished reluctantly.

Harry stood up without hesitation. "NO!"

"Mr. Potter," Susan said.

"Your honour," Dolohov said pretending to cower. "I would like to take a restraining order out against the Potters. I fear for my life."

"You'll need to take that up with a lawyer," Susan banged her gavel.

Ethan watched angrily as Dolohov sent another smirk in their direction. Ethan stood up and made a move in Dolohov's direction, but Neville held him back.

"You'll only make things worse, Ethan." Neville told him. "For now, you have to let him go."

Dolohov walked toward them. "Justice was served here today, Mr. Potter."

"You'd better get out of here while you still have a chance," Harry snarled.

"Is that a threat?" Dolohov asked with a grin.

"Only if you want it to be," Ethan answered, his face matching his father's.

"You deserve anything that comes your way," Dolohov said icily. "You walk around thinking that the world owes you something. You are a disgrace to wizards everywhere. Your Mudblood wife---"

"You finish that and you'll wish you hadn't," Ethan whipped out his wand.

Dolohov chuckled. "Good day."

Hermione glared after the man. "Of all the nerve-- I should see what I can do about overturning the verdict."

"We need to change the wards we've put up around the estate," Harry told her. "I'm not taking any chances."

Hermione nodded. "That's fine with me."

"It's my fault," Ethan said looking at his mother. "It's my fault, he's free."

"Ethan--" Harry began.

"I should go back to Headquarters," Ethan said quietly. "I have some paperwork to finish."

"We'll talk later," Harry told him. "Alright?"

Ethan nodded. "Yeah, later."

Instead of heading back to the office, Ethan found himself walking home, furious that he could have made such a foolish error.

He'd seen what could happen to Aurors who made mistakes like this. They were pushing paper and very rarely were they called out on assignment. The last thing Ethan wanted was to spend his days at a desk.

He let himself into the cottage, wondering if his wife was still at work or not.

"Ethan?" Maddie called from upstairs. "Is that you?"

"Hey," he replied, tossing his cloak aside. "Yeah it's me."

Maddie had been busy packing their belongings for Brighton. "Come up here! You can help Blue and me pack."

"Sure," Ethan said, climbing the stairs.

Maddie's back was to him as he entered their bedroom. She had two big suitcases open on the bed. Blue was flying around dropping little items into the suitcase. "How was your day?" Maddie asked. "I didn't expect you home until five..."

"Dolohov went free," Ethan spilled out.

Maddie turned around and gaped at him. "No, how?"

"Because I didn't announce myself when I apprehended him," Ethan said bitterly.

"They let him off because of that?" Maddie asked incredulously. "Ethan---"

"A technicality," Ethan slammed his fist on the dresser.

Maddie put her arms around him and hugged him. "I'm sorry."

Ethan buried his face in her hair. "Promise me these next few weeks you'll be extra careful?" he asked. "I'm going to put up some new wards around here- and if you go anywhere, use the Floo."

Maddie had never seen her husband like this and she held him tightly to her. "You think he's going to try for revenge?"

"I don't know," Ethan said truthfully. "Dad's setting up stronger wards at the mansion too. Just in case."

"I'll be careful," Maddie promised.

"I don’t' know what's going to happen with Brighton right now either," Ethan sighed.

Maddie pulled away from him. "You don't think we'd be safe?"

"I just don't know," Ethan said. "I'm sorry, sweetheart."

"Its okay," Maddie said squeezing his hand.

"I hate disappointing you," Ethan replied.

"You've never disappointed me," Maddie said softly. "I love you and I know you did the best job possible."

Her faith in him made Ethan smile. "Thanks," he said, pulling her to him again. "I love you so much."

"I love you too," Maddie said. "No matter what."

Ethan gave her a kiss. "How was your day?" he asked, tucking a long strand of hair behind her ear."

"Great," Maddie replied. "I got to stay with Hannah and the twins while Frankie ran to work for a few hours."

"And you lived to tell the tale?" Ethan asked with a grin.

"I loved every minute of it," Maddie said.

"How are Nathan and Izzie?" Ethan asked sitting down on the bed.

"Getting big already," Maddie said wistfully as Blue perched on her shoulder.

"You know," Ethan said reaching for her hand. "I'm not a Seer, but I can just picture you and me downstairs in the sitting room. You with a little baby on your lap and me with a little girl sitting on the floor playing a game..."

Maddie laughed. "Am I holding a boy or girl?" she teased.

"A little boy," Ethan said.

"Just perfect," Maddie said softly.

"Perfect," Ethan said smiling at her.

Maddie kissed her husband, pushing him back onto the bed. Blue flew off her shoulder and headed back downstairs, cackling the whole way.

Ethan was taken by surprise by this action. He nearly hit his head on one of the suitcases. "Wait, Mads---"

She pushed the suitcase off the bed. "Sorry."

"No need to apologise," Ethan said putting his arms around her.

"I think we both need a little time to ourselves like this," Maddie said softly.

"Definitely," Ethan said before kissing her.

She wound up kicking the other suitcase off the bed, its contents spilling onto the floor.

"Madeline," Ethan said grinning up at her.

"Yes?" she pushed his messy hair out of his eyes.

"I love you more than anything," Ethan said tugging at her t-shirt.

"It's the same way for me," Maddie helped him lift it over her head. "I can't imagine being with anyone else, ever."

"You never will," Ethan said huskily. "You are all mine."

"Forever and ever," Maddie said, helping him unsnap her bra.

"You are so beautiful," Ethan said pulling it away and throwing it on the floor.

"I love hearing that from you," Maddie said, unsnapping his trousers.

After the day he had, Ethan definitely needed this. He gave his wife a lazy grin as she slid off his trousers down.

"That's it," she breathed.

"Come back up here," Ethan said reaching for her.

Maddie kissed him again, running her fingers through his hair.

Ethan's hands snaked around her waist, pulling her flush against him.

"Mmmmm..." she purred.

Ethan groaned when he felt Maddie's hands on his boxer shorts.

"Remember what I called it that one time?" she asked mischievously. "The Holy Grail..."

Ethan laughed. "I do...."

"It just gets better every time," Maddie said, pulling his boxers down.

"And you always know just what to do," Ethan said.

"I know you better than anyone," she said. "That's why."

Maddie kicked off her knickers before lying back down on the bed. Ethan was tired of waiting and he rolled on top of her. He looked down at her and was happy to see that she wasn't looking at him in disappointment. She loved him unconditionally and he couldn't believe how lucky he was that she was his.

"What are you waiting for?" she asked.

"Nothing," Ethan said pressing into her. "Everything's perfect."

"Now it is," she arched her back.

Ethan let out a guttural moan before kissing her soundly.

She whimpered as he pushed harder into her.

He forgot about the trial, about Dolohov and his career as he revelled in being with his wife like this.

Maddie cried out his name, holding onto him as if he were going to disappear.

"Baby," Ethan said pressing a kiss to her forehead.

"It gets better every time," Maddie said softly, her arms still around him.

"Yes it does," Ethan said. "And maybe, just maybe, we might have made a little Ethan or Maddie Junior."

"I want that so, so much." Maddie replied.

"It's going to happen," Ethan promised. "I know it."

"You've been so incredible with me about it," Maddie said as he moved off to her side.

"I want this as much as you do," Ethan said.

"I know," Maddie touched his cheek. "And you're going to be an amazing father."

"Hopefully a better father than I am an Auror," Ethan said quietly.

"You're still a great Auror," Maddie said.

"I screwed up," Ethan said. "I acted on adrenaline instead of remembering the rules. Those bloody rules..."

"You'll go back tomorrow and see what Lupin says," Maddie propped herself up on her arm. "For what it's worth, I think you'll be fine."

"We're leaving tonight for Brighton," Ethan said. "Or were...I should call Mum and Dad and see what the plan is."

"That's a good idea," Maddie kissed him again before reaching for their undergarments.

"Thank you for this," Ethan said.

Maddie smiled. "I'd do anything for you Ethan. You know that."

Ethan stood up and got dressed. "How about I make us something to eat?"

"I'm ravenous," Maddie replied. "If you do that, I'll repack."

Ethan grinned. "Deal."

"You ring your parents first," Maddie said. "Let me know what's going on."

Ethan nodded and headed downstairs. He walked into the kitchen and reached for the phone.

He dialled his father's mobile, hoping he'd pick up.

His father's familiar voice came over the line.

"Hello?"

"Hey Dad," Ethan said.

"Ethan," Harry said. "How are you, son?"

"Better," Ethan said. "But I'm still a little anxious about my job..."

"Ethan, you're still an Auror," Harry reassured him. "Lupin and Kingsley saw how Dolohov played the system. They know that you did things by the book."

"I hope so," Ethan said glumly.

"The only mistake you made was not identifying yourself," Harry told him. "You'll learn from this and I have a feeling Dolohov is going to get into trouble again soon. We'll be there when it happens and we'll make sure he pays."

"Sounds good to me," Ethan agreed. "Thanks Dad."

"And as for Brighton," Harry said. "We're still going. We'll put wards around the beach house and we'll make sure to watch the children extra carefully."

"We'll both keep an extra close eye on Mum," Ethan said.

"Constant vigilance!" Harry said in a perfect imitation of Moody.

Ethan laughed. "Mads and I will be by in a few hours. We'll see you guys there."

"Okay," Harry said clicking off his phone.

"I don't see why I need to be here," Saffron told her father. "I still have to pack."

Harry and Hermione had called their daughter to the Ministry immediately after the verdict. They'd wanted to make sure that she was safe and the only way they knew how to do that was to make sure she was under their watchful eyes.

"We just want you to be with us right now," Harry told her. "It won't take you long to pack when we get home."

Saffron sighed and looked around her father's office. "I can't believe those people let that psychopath go free."

"I'm going to do what I can to overturn the verdict," Hermione said.

Saffron hoped that was possible. She stood up and walked over to where her mother was seated. Saffron sat down on her lap and gave her mother a hug. "Nothing's going to happen to you, Mum. They'd have to go through all of us first."

"Thank you baby," Hermione hugged her back. "You know, it's been ages since you sat on my lap like this."

Saffron smiled. "Do you remember when you used to bring me to work with you when I was little? You used to sit me on your lap while you worked on your speeches."

"And you always told me if you liked them or not," Hermione laughed.

Harry held up one of the framed photographs on his desk. It was of a four-year old Saffron sitting at Hermione's desk in the Minister's office.

"I was adorable," Saffron grinned. "Wasn't I?"

"Still are," Harry grinned.

Saffron grinned. "That's because I look like Mum."

"Lucky for you," Harry set the frame back down.

"We're going to have a great holiday," Saffron said optimistically. "I know it."

"Yes we are," Hermione said. "Is Sean joining us there again?"

Saffron nodded. "He's coming down with his parents on Friday."

"RJ mentioned he's going to come by with Audrey this weekend," Hermione commented.

"Maybe we'll do a group date," Saffron said. "And I promise, we'll be careful."

"That's my girl," Harry said with a grin.

"You worry too much, Daddy," Saffron said smiling at him.

"That's part of being a parent," Harry replied.

"We just want you to be extra careful this summer, Saffy," Hermione said. "If anything happened to you or your brother and sister, I don't know what I'd do."

"I promise to be extra, extra careful," Saffron replied.

"Ron's gone ahead to the beach house and set up the wards," Harry told them.

"Great," Hermione replied, finishing off the forms. "I'll send these to the Wizengamot."

"Let's just hope it works," Saffron said looking at her father.

"All right," Harry said. "We ready to get home and get packed?"

"Yes," Saffron replied.

Hermione set the forms in the tray that would take them to the appropriate offices. "I'm ready too."

"Come on, Old Man," Saffron said grabbing at her father's arm.

"Uh oh," Hermione laughed at the look on her husband's face. "You're in for it now, Saffy."

"Come here, you," Harry said grabbing his daughter and tickling her. "What did you call me?"

Saffron shrieked with laughter. "I called you YOUNG!"

Harry laughed. "That's what I thought you said."

Saffron wiped her eyes. "Not fair."

"It rarely is, Saffron Grace," Harry said putting his arm around her. "You think that you might find some time to spend with your folks this holiday?"

"Maybe an hour or two," Saffron deadpanned.

"That's awfully generous of you," Hermione laughed.

"How about we go out on the boat one afternoon?" Saffron suggested. "Just our family..."

"I suppose you want to drive the boat?" Harry asked. "You know how much Ethan likes to do that..."

"I love driving the boat," Saffron said.

"So does Ethan," Harry replied.

"I'll fight him for it," Saffron joked.

"You fight him on most anything," Hermione said shaking her head.

"That's part of our dynamic," Saffron replied.

"You're quite good at it," Harry joked turning off the lights in his office with a wave of his hand. "Come on, ladies."

"Right behind you Dad," Saffron hooked arms with her mother

Neither Hermione nor Saffron knew it, but Harry had left a letter for Neville asking him to set up a detail on the beach house. The more eyes watching them, the more at ease he'd be. He also wanted someone watching Dolohov at all times. Harry wasn't about to let anything happen to his family.

206. 206

Short chapter, we apologise… but we are setting up ;) For a big thing. That is coming soon. VERY soon… so no complaints ;) And love Emma this chapter, ok? And she wants you to review! REVIEW! ;)

Jon, Allie and their brood arrived at the Brighton beach house a little after one that afternoon. After having a quick lunch with Ron and Luna, Jon and Allie helped get the children settled in their rooms. Caroline was antsy to get on the beach and Adam was being fussy. Only Emma was being quiet, which was quite unlike her.

"Help me put away your things and you can go out on the beach," Allison told her daughter. "Emma?"

Emma looked over at her mother, her lower lip trembling.

"What is it, sweetheart?" Allison asked.

"Daddy left Ramona in the car!" Emma exclaimed, tears rolling down her cheeks.

"Ramona?" Allison asked, confused.

"Can we get her out?" Emma asked, pleadingly. "She's scared by herself!"

"Is that one of your dolls, baby?" Allison asked.

"No," Emma shook her head. "She's my friend!"

Allison raised an eyebrow. "Your friend?"

Jon came into the bedroom and smiled at them. "I have Max all settled in the backyard---OW!"

Emma had walked over to him and kicked him in the leg.

"Emma!" Jon admonished. "You don't kick people! What did you do that for?"

"You left Ramona in the car!" Emma folded her arms.

Jon looked at his wife, who was just as lost as he was. "Em, who is Ramona?"

Emma wiped at her eyes. "She's Em's bestest friend like Han!"

Allison raised her eyebrow. It seemed her youngest daughter had conjured up an imaginary friend.

"What does she look like, Em?" Allison asked.

"Like me," Emma wiped her eyes. "But blonde hair."

"Oh," Jon said sharing a look with his wife. "Well, Em...I didn't mean to leave her in the car. I'll---I'll go and let her out."

Emma's tears stopped. "She might want ice cream."

"Don't tell me that she likes to eat as much as you do?" Jon teased.

Emma nodded.

Jon grinned and knelt down in front of her. "I'll go and get her but can you promise me that you're not going to go around kicking people anymore?"

"Okay Daddy," Emma agreed.

"That's my girl," Jon said giving her a hug. "I'll be right back with Ramona."

"When did you meet Ramona, Em?" Allison asked her daughter.

Emma looked thoughtfully at her mother. "At the park with you and Adam, member, Mummy?"

Allison thought for a moment and recalled Emma talking to no one as she played in the sandbox. "I see..."

"She's shy, like Sissy," Emma confided. "But she always talks to me."

"So you're bringing her out of her shell, are you?" Allison asked with a smile.

Emma nodded and walked over to where her mother was. She plopped down in Allison's lap. "She thinks you're the bestest cook, Mummy."

"Ramona sounds like a smart girl," Allison kissed the top of her head.

Emma beamed at Allison. "So Ramona can stay with us?"

"Sure she can, sweetheart." Allison answered.

Emma clapped her hands together and then gave Allison a hug.

Caroline came into the room holding on to Adam's hand. He'd just started walking and did much better when he was holding onto someone's hand. "I tried to help him, Mummy," Caroline said. "But he told me to go away."

"Adam," Allison leaned over and picked him up. "You better be nice to your big sister."

"Hmmph," Adam replied poking his lip out.

"You look just like your daddy when you do that," Allison said to her son.

Caroline giggled. "He does!"

"No," Adam shook his head.

Caroline mussed Emma's hair. "Are you feeling better, Em?"

"Daddy's bringing Ramona with him," Emma told her.

"Ramona?" Caroline asked.

"My bestest friend after Han," Emma explained.

"She is?" Caroline asked pulling a confused face.

Allison looked at her oldest daughter. "She's Em's special friend."

"Oh," Caroline caught on. "That's great, Em."

Emma nodded. "She's like you."

"Except she has blonde hair," Allison explained.

Caroline still looked a bit confused as Jon came back into the room.

"Here we are," Jon said. "Ramona and me."

"Ramona!" Emma squealed. "You're here!"

Caroline looked at her mother. "Em has an imaginary friend?"

Emma stamped her foot. "NOT IMAGINARY!"

Caroline jumped. She had thought Emma couldn't hear her. "Of course not imaginary, Em. I said that I imagine she's a good friend."

Emma relaxed. "Kay."

"Let's get you lot ready for the beach," Allison announced. "Starting with Mr. Fussy here."

"No!" Adam shook his head.

"Adam Jonathan," Allison said looking at him. "Don't you want to go down to the beach and play in the sand?"

"No," Adam replied.

"Come on, buddy," Jon said. "We're going to have fun. We can even bury your Mummy in the sand."

"Adam would never do that to me," Allison kissed his cheek. "Right, baby?"

"No," Adam repeated squirming in Allison's arms.

"I wonder if he needs a kip," Jon reached over and took him from Allison.

"He might," Allison said. "That trip up here might have taken a lot out of him."

"No kip," Adam shook his head vehemently.

"What do you want, mate?" Jon asked.

Adam just shook his head again.

"Adam, you have to go on the beach with Ramona, Sissy and me," Emma said.

"Beach," Adam tried out the word.

"That's my boy," Jon said proudly. "Good one, son."

"Da," Adam looked up at him. "Beach?"

Jon nodded. "Yeah, mate. Beach. You want to go?"

Adam nodded.

"Alright!" Jon exclaimed spinning him around. "Let's get you in your little swim trunks then."

"Come on Ramona!" Emma said. "We have to go get ready!"

"We'll leave you two to get ready," Allison said to Emma. "Unless you need some help getting dressed..."

"Em's a big girl," Emma said.

"Of course," Allison said giving her a kiss. "We'll be waiting for you and Ramona downstairs then."

"Kay Mummy," Emma reached for her little two piece swim costume.

Caroline followed her mother and father into the nursery. "When is everyone else getting here?"

"Pretty soon," Jon told her.

"I can't wait to see the triplets," Caroline grinned.

"They're getting so big," Allison replied wistfully. "Just like this guy."

"He looks more like Daddy every day," Caroline said as her baby brother crawled on the floor.

"Da!" Adam exclaimed with a toothy grin.

"Come here, little guy," Jon said scooping him up and tickling his side.

"Da! No!" Adam laughed.

"Adam," Jon laughed hoisting him over his shoulders.

"When did Emma get an imaginary friend, Mummy?" Caroline asked.

"I don't know, Angel." Allison was digging through the bag for Adam's swim trunks. "I'm sure it's just a phase she's going through."

"So we just have to pretend we see her too?" Caroline asked.

"Just humour her," Allison replied. "Your dad and I would appreciate it."

"Okay," Caroline promised.

"You should go get dressed," Allison said. "I'm sure when Ashley and Katie get here, they'll join us out there right away."

Caroline nodded and hurried out of the nursery.

"So what are we going to do about this Ramona?" Jon asked his wife.

"I think we should just let it play out," Allison replied thoughtfully.

Jon nodded. "All right."

"And what's this about burying me in the sand?" Allison asked handing him Adam's swim trunks. "Hmm? That's more your area."

"I had to get the attention off me somehow," Jon replied with a grin.

"There's a first," Allison laughed.

"Very funny Al," Jon said, giving her a kiss.

"Don't be too hard on your brother this time around either with Audrey," Allison told him.

"I like her too much to give him a hard time when she's around," Jon replied.

"You're growing up," Allison said smiling at him.

"Don't tell anyone," Jon joked.

"They'd never believe me," Allison said before giving him another kiss.

Downstairs, Nick and Julie had just arrived with Katie and Ashley.

"Let's go right out to the beach!" Katie exclaimed.

"You need to get unpacked first," Julie said.

"I can do that later," Katie argued.

"Katherine Rose," Nick warned. "You can do it now."

Katie crossed her arms and pouted.

"I'll help you," Ashley said. "That way we'll get finished faster. Come on, Katie."

"Fine," Katie grumbled, following her sister up the stairs.

Julie sighed and looked at Nick. "It's never easy."

Nick took her hand. "We've learned to deal."

"I hope Ethan and Maddie are okay," Julie said. "He's still taking that Dolohov thing hard."

"I know," Nick nodded. "What a bloody bastard- and the way they just let him manipulate the system!"

"It's so unfair," Julie said angrily. "He's walking around free and clear and we have to basically ward this place like a prison."

"I'm willing to bet he'll slip up somehow," Nick reassured her. "They'll put him back into Azkaban."

Julie hugged him tightly. "I hope so."

Nick kissed her. "I'm hoping to get some alone time with you while we're here."

"Of course," Julie said softly.

"Feels like it's been forever since we had a proper date," Nick said.

"It has," Julie agreed. "We should have a date night some time while we're here."

"Let's plan on it," Nick grinned at her.

Julie tilted her face up and Nick kissed her.

"Ugh," Katie said. "You guys never stop!"

Ashley laughed. "They're about as bad as Grandma and Grandpa."

"No one's as bad as them," Julie laughed.

"I thought I heard Malfoys down here," Jon said coming downstairs with Allie and Adam.

"We have arrived," Nick nodded. "We need to unpack and we'll be on the beach."

"How cute is he?" Julie asked looking at Adam in his little swim trunks and baseball cap.

"Cute," Adam echoed.

Julie laughed. "Yes, you are."

Upstairs, Katie and Caroline were chattering excitedly about the things they wanted to do during the stay in Brighton.

"I hope we can go the carnival again," Caroline said. "That's the best!"

"That was fun," Katie agreed. "And the arcade!"

"And going out on the boat," Caroline said. She looked at her friend. "Where did you get those sunglasses? Those are so cool!"

"My mum took me to the store yesterday and I saw them," Katie tossed back her hair.

"Those are really cool," Caroline said. "I wish I had a pair like them."

"Maybe we'll see some when we go into town," Katie replied.

"I hope so," Caroline said pulling a t-shirt over her swim costume. "I think I'm ready."

"Cool," Katie said. "Me too."

Caroline linked arms with Katie. "What should we do first, Kat?"

"I'm dying to go for a swim," Katie said, pleased to have her best friend all to herself. "And then, get a tan!"

"Ooh, you know what we can do?" Caroline asked excitedly. "What if we pretend that we're at a really nice spa!"

"Yeah," Katie agreed. "We can rub sand on our feet and pretend we're getting pedicures. And later we can paint our toes!"

"You can be the princess of England and I can be your lady in waiting!" Caroline exclaimed. "And we're at the bestest spa in the whole world."

"I definitely want to be the princess," Katie said with a grin.

Caroline giggled. "This is going to be so much fun!"

"Definitely," Katie agreed.

Emma came up behind them and tapped her sister on the shoulder. "Wait! Wait for Em and Ramona!"

Katie looked quizzically at Caroline. "Ramona?"

"She's Emma's bestest friend next to Hannah," Caroline explained. She looked to make sure Emma couldn't hear her before whispering to Katie that it was an imaginary friend.

"Oh," Katie nodded. "Okay then."

"Emma, do you want to play with Mum, Daddy and Adam or do you want to play with us?" Caroline asked. "We're going to play spa."

"Spa?" Emma asked. "What's spa?"

"Well, you remember that really fancy place where Aunt Frankie went to get her nails done and they gave her massages and stuff?" Caroline asked.

"Think so," Emma said.

"Well, it's kind of like that," Caroline said. "Katie's going to be the princess and we can be her ladies-in-waiting."

"What do I do?" Emma asked.

Katie grinned. "We just lay on the beach and put sand on our toes and do things like that."

"Kay," Emma said. "Ramona and Em want to play spa!"

"Let's go ladies," Katie said leading the way. When they reached Nick on the patio, she looked at her father. "Royal subject, please tell Princess Hannah to join us when she gets here."

"I beg your pardon?" Nick asked his daughter.

"Please?" Katie asked. "King Nicholas?"

"Of course, Princess," Nick realised they were playing and bowed. "At your service."

The other girls giggled before following Katie down the stairs. Julie and Allison were waiting for them and they set off for the beach.

Ashley joined her father on the patio.

"Did you get unpacked, Ash?" Nick asked putting his arm around her.

"Yes Daddy," Ashley replied.

"You think you might do one or two sketches while you're here?" Nick teased.

"More than one or two," Ashley grinned. "I just wish Zander and Brit were with me."

"Well, didn't you say that they had a relative that lives nearby?" Nick asked.

"Yeah," Ashley said.

"Maybe you'll see them," Nick reassured her.

"I hope so," Ashley said wistfully. "I really miss them."

"I'm glad you made two really good friends," Nick said smiling at her.

"They're my best friends ever," Ashley proclaimed.

"And you say this Zander is a good musician?" Nick asked.

"He plays piano almost as good as you," Ashley told him. "It's really amazing, Daddy."

"I'd like to hear him play sometime," Nick said.

"I'll ask him if he minds," Ashley replied.

"So, I take it you didn't want to play princess spa?" Nick asked with a grin.

Ashley rolled her eyes. "Not really."

"You can spend time with me," Nick said. He was basically waiting for the others to arrive.

"Okay," Ashley agreed with a grin.

Nick looked out at the surf and smiled. He liked being here and couldn't remember a single summer that he hadn't enjoyed in this house.

"Did you go to the beach a lot when you were a kid?" Ashley asked him.

"Not really," Nick answered.

"Did you ever go on any trips with your mum and dad?" Ashley asked.

"They were usually too busy to deal with me," Nick told his daughter. "That's why I was so glad to have Greta."

The idea of her father's parents being so cold and distant was still such a foreign concept to Ashley even though she had seen it with her own eyes.

"Uncle Ron said that my Grandma Ginny was once nice," Ashley commented. "And Nana Molly loves her."

"I never got to know her that way," Nick looked at his daughter.

"That's sad," Ashley said looking down at her lap. "I think she would have liked seeing Katie and me grow up."

"Maybe," Nick answered. "Guess we'll never know."'

"I think I might write to her," Ashley said thoughtfully. "Just to see..."

Nick didn't want his daughter to get her hopes up. "Ash--"

"She might not read it," Ashley interjected. "And that's fine, but I want to try."

"Just don't be too disappointed if you don't hear back," Nick told her gently. "You remember what happened when we went to Sydney, right?"

Ashley nodded. "They're my grandparents, too. I just think that they've missed out on quite a bit. "

"They have," Nick replied. "And it's their loss."

Ashley hugged her father. "I love you, Daddy."

"I love you too Ash," Nick kissed the top of her head. "And I am so proud of you."

"Thanks, Daddy," Ashley said hugging him tightly.

"Are you looking forward to your second year at Hogwarts?" Nick asked her.

Ashley nodded. "I really am. I love the castle and my professors and I get along with my roommates."

"I'm glad even Professor Snape likes you," Nick said with a grin.

"He said that your father was his favourite student," Ashley told him.

"Which amazes me," Nick muttered.

"Why's that?" Ashley asked curiously.

"Because he didn't like your mum or Aunt Saffy or Uncle Ethan," Nick answered.

"I think that's because he doesn't like Grandpa," Ashley said.

"That's a shame," Nick said. "Because your grandpa's a pretty cool guy."

"I like to think so," Harry said coming up behind them.

"Grandpa!" Ashley exclaimed.

"Hey you," Harry hugged his granddaughter. "Is it just me or did you get even taller than before?"

"You could be shrinking," Ashley said dryly.

"Very funny," Harry tousled her hair.

"Where's Saffy and Hermione?" Nick asked.

"Taking their things up to their rooms," Harry replied.

"And you didn't help?" Nick asked. "I thought you were a gentleman?"

"Of course I helped," Harry looked at his son in law indignantly.

"Uh-huh," Nick laughed. "Saffy probably carried everything herself."

"Maybe," Harry said sheepishly.

"Ash, why don't you go and see if your aunt needs any help?" Nick asked.

"Okay Dad," Ashley said, heading back inside.

Nick waited until his daughter was out of earshot. "Any leads on Dolohov?"

Harry shook his head. "He's lying low."

"How's Ethan?" Nick asked.

"Still not happy about it, but Maddie's at least got him convinced it wasn't his fault," Harry replied.

"That's good at least," Nick said. "Ron and Luna had everything set up when we got here. The wards are in place. Dolohov's not going to get in here."

Harry nodded. "I just hope we can enjoy ourselves."

"Of course we will," Nick said. "We'll just have to be a little more cautious when we're out on the beach is all."

"I'm going to have my eyes peeled the whole time," Harry replied, looking towards the ocean.

"We all will," Nick vowed. "This is our family."

Harry clapped him on the shoulder. "Good man, Nick."

Nick looked out on the beach where his youngest daughter was holding court over the other girls. Julie caught his eye and waved at him from where she was sitting with Allison and Jon underneath a beach umbrella with baby Adam.

"We'll join you in a minute," Harry said. "I'm going to go and check on Saffron and Hermione."

"Sounds good," Nick nodded.

Harry headed back inside and hurried upstairs. He heard his wife and daughter talking in Saffron's room.

"How long are we going to have to live like this though?" Saffron asked. "I am going to have to go to practises and matches. I can't have someone watching me every second of the day, Mum."

"Saffy, you're going to have to deal with it," Hermione told her. "This is for your safety."

Saffron sighed. "This would be a whole lot easier if we were just...normal people."

"Saffy--" Hermione began.

"I know," Saffron said sitting on the edge of the bed. "I didn't mean it like it sounded, Mum."

"I know you don't like this," Hermione appeased her. "But it's something you'll have to deal with, Saffron. Especially with a high profile career like Quidditch."

"And high profile parents," Saffron said quietly.

Hermione looked at her daughter but said nothing.

"Everything okay in here?" Harry asked, coming in and acting as if he hadn't heard every word of their conversation.

"Fine," Saffron said, throwing some clothing in a drawer. "I want to go out on the beach."

"Wait," Harry said. "We can go out together."

"I think I'm just going to lie down for awhile," Hermione said. "I'll see you all later."

"Mum," Saffron said. "I'm sorry about what I said earlier."

Hermione just nodded before leaving the room.

Saffron sighed. "I'm just going to go and join the others downstairs, Dad."

"Wait a minute," Harry said. "What's your mother so upset about?"

"I stuck my foot in my mouth again," Saffron said quietly.

Harry nodded. "You know your mother would give everything up to keep you safe, don't you?"

Saffron nodded. "I know."

"It would be nice if you apologised," Harry said. "I won't force you to, because you're an adult now. But you should know when to keep comments to yourself."

"I'll go and talk to her," Saffron said.

"That's my girl," Harry said.

Saffron walked past her father and across the hall to where her mother's room was. She knocked gently on the door. "Mum?"

"Come in," Hermione said.

"Hi," Saffron said quietly.

Hermione looked at her but didn't say anything.

"Sometimes I have the habit of only thinking about myself and how things affect me," Saffron began. "I know that you and Dad would do anything to protect us."

Hermione nodded. "Of course we would." she patted the spot next to her.

Saffron sat down and rested her head on her mother's shoulder. "It's not always easy, but I wouldn't trade being your daughter for anything in the world."

Hermione smiled. "Thank you, sweetheart."

"I never meant to hurt your feelings," Saffron said giving her mother a hug.

Hermione hugged her back. "You're growing up, Saffy."

"Eighteen's a good time to start, don't you think?" Saffron asked with a grin.

"Better late than never," Hermione smiled. "So are we going to the beach or what?"

"Absolutely," Saffron said.

"Let's get some sun," Hermione reached for her swim costume.

Saffron looked at her mother. "Mum, you're always so brave."

"You think so?" Hermione asked. "I suppose I am, to wear this."

Saffron shook her head. "You are brave in the face of all of this. I mean that psychopath is free after plotting to kill you and you're still going along like you usually do."

"I have no choice," Hermione shrugged.

"I want to be just like you when I grow up," Saffron said with a grin.

"If you grow up," Hermione teased.

"Very funny," Saffron said nudging her mother. "I'll let you get dressed."

"We'll meet you downstairs," Hermione said.

Saffron gave her mother one last hug before leaving the room.

She put her bikini on, wondering when Alexa and Gabriel would be arriving.

The alone time also had her wondering what Sean was doing. It would two more days before he would arrive with his parents.

She missed him, but she still wasn't sure how far she wanted to go with him.

Saffron hoped that he would be patient and understanding. He'd said he would, but she could tell he was getting frustrated.

And as much as she hated to admit it, even to herself, her feelings for Andrew had not gone away.

207. Chapter 207

Authors’ note: We hope that you will enjoy this latest chapter. Please read and review!

Saffron wondered what he was doing now. She'd seen the photographs in the paper. He and his team mate were the talk of the papers. To their credit though, whenever he was interviewed he told the reporters that he didn't like to discuss his private life. And from what she knew of Natalia, she was also protective of her privacy.

He really was the perfect guy, she thought sadly. And she had let him go.

"Noah!"

Saffron smiled when she heard the sounds of laughter coming from outside the hall. Josh, Lizzy and the triplets must have arrived.

"Noah Weasley," Josh was chasing after his son. "You come back here this instant!"

"No Dada!" Noah laughed as he dodged just out of his father's reach.

Josh looked at his wife. "Liz, help!"

Lizzy laughed. "Josh, I have Casey and Aidan. You can surely catch Noah."

"He might not be able to, but I can," Saffron said grabbing Noah and picking him up. "Hey, you little monster!'

"Sassy," Noah said mischievously.

"Thank you," Josh said setting their bags down. "He kind of got away from me."

"Sure," Saffron laughed. "What a little stinker."

"Hey, hi!" Casey waved at Saffron.

"Hi Case," Saffron grinned at her.

"Me too," Aidan said squirming out of Lizzy's grasp.

"Hi Aidan," Saffron set Noah down.

"Everyone must be out on the beach already," Lizzy commented.

Saffron nodded. "We were just heading down there too."

"Let me get these three settled and we'll join you," Lizzy said, looking down at Casey who was tugging at her leg. "What is it, Case?"

"Beach!" Casey said happily.

Saffron laughed. "I can help you guys if you want. It might get you outside faster."

"YAY!" Casey exclaimed jumping up and down.

"All right miss," Saffron said. "Let's go find your swim costume."

"Here's Casey's bag," Josh said handing Saffron a small pink suitcase. "Thank you, Saffy."

"No problem," Saffron said. "She's sharing a room with Emma and Hannah again, right?

"With Em!" Casey said happily, reaching for Saffron's hand.

Saffron grinned, happy that she had the kids here for a distraction. She led Casey into the bedroom she was sharing with Emma and Hannah. A crib had already been set up in the corner of the room.

Saffron set the bag down on one of the beds and opened it. There were two swim costumes inside. "What colour do you want to wear, Case? You have a pink one and a green one."

"Green one," Casey pointed.

"Excellent choice," Saffron said winking at her. "That's the colour of mine, too."

Casey let Saffron help her put her little swim costume on. "Em here?"

Saffron laughed. "Yes, she is. She's on the beach with her mummy and daddy."

"Can't wait to see her," Casey said as Saffron pulled a t shirt over her head.

"You're absolutely adorable," Saffron said.

Casey giggled. "Thank you."

Saffron picked her back up. "You want to see if your brothers are ready?"

Casey nodded. "Go to beach!"

Saffron laughed. "Let's go."

"Look at you Case," Lizzy grinned when she saw her daughter.

"Saf did it," Casey said happily.

"She did a great job," Lizzy said. "Daddy's going to bring your brothers along in just a few minutes."

"Hurry!" Casey called out.

A few minutes later, the six of them were headed across the sand where the rest of the family was already relaxing.

"Em!" the triplets yelled running toward her.

Emma turned. "Casey!" she screamed happily. "Noah! Aidan!"

"They love her to pieces," Saffron said to her mother with a grin. "I've never seen anything like it!"

"She's so sweet," Hermione laughed.

Emma screamed suddenly. "Noah! No sit there! You sat on Ramona's lap!"

Noah's eyes filled with tears at Emma's tone. "Sorry."

"It's okay," Emma said patting his hand. "Ramona's not mad at you. Don't cry!"

"Em yell," Noah wiped his eyes.

"I didn't mean it," Emma hugged him. "Em loves Noah."

"Love Em too," Noah seemed to be feeling better already. "Build castle?"

Emma grinned. "Sure!"

"Me too," Casey said.

"Absolutely!" Emma replied, motioning for the triplets to join her with their buckets.

"Hey, Minister," Ron said grinning at Hermione. "Where are your son and my daughter?"

"On their way," Hermione told him.

Ron turned sombre. "How are you holding up?"

"Fine," Hermione said. "I'm not letting this ruin our holiday."

"Good girl," Ron said. "No one's getting near this house. These wards are strong."

Harry nodded. "Stronger than anything I've ever seen."

Ron grinned. "I'd do anything for you guys. You're family."

"Thanks mate," Harry clapped him on the shoulder.

"Thank you, Ron," Hermione said giving him a hug.

Saffron set out her towel and looked towards Sean's family's house.

"When's he getting here?" Ashley asked her.

"What?" Saffron asked. "Oh um... later I think."

Ashley set her things down beside her aunt. "And what about Alexa and Gabe?"

"They're coming in about an hour or so," Saffron replied.

"Do you think we'll be able to go into town?" Ashley asked. "I know we have to be careful and all..."

"I'm not sure yet," Saffron admitted. "I hope so."

"Me too," Ashley said.

"For now, relaxing seems to be what we do best," Saffron told her niece.

"That sounds great to me," Ashley said lying down on her towel.

"The sun does feel good," Saffron closed her eyes. "And this is my last chance to relax for awhile."

"Before you start playing!" Ashley said excitedly.

"And THAT I can't wait for," Saffron replied.

"I can't wait to see you play in your first match!" Ashley said.

"You guys will be there front and centre," Saffron promised.

"Cheering on you and RJ," Ashley said.

"Can you believe RJ and I are going to be playing for the same team again?" Saffron asked.

Ashley giggled. "And it helps that you are getting along again."

"Yes that too," Saffron agreed.

"I still can't believe Alexa is going to move to the States," Ashley commented.

"I know," Saffron said soberly. "I'm going to miss her so much. But she's really excited about it- and she's happy she'll be so close to Gabriel."

Ashley nodded. "Will you get to see Sean a lot when you're playing and he's back at University?"

"Maybe," Saffron hedged. "I... I hope so."

"You're not sure?" Ashley asked.

"I don't know how I feel right now," Saffron answered.

"Maybe this summer will help you figure things out," Ashley said thoughtfully.

"I hope it does," Saffron said. "I still miss Andrew, and it's been a year since we've broken up."

"Maybe you and Andrew can get back together," Ashley said.

"He's with that other girl now," Saffron answered.

"Natalia, right?" Ashley asked.

"Yeah," Saffron muttered.

"Maybe it's not that serious," Ashley said.

"RJ told me she sleeps over all the time," Saffron sighed. "I messed up big time with Andrew."

"But if you still love him," Ashley tried to argue.

"It's not that easy, Ash." Saffron told her. "You'll understand someday."

Ashley nodded, but she couldn't really see why two people who really loved each other couldn't be together. Saffron still loved Andrew and Ashley was willing to bet that Andrew still felt something for her aunt.

"So, didn't you say Zander and Brittany might be showing up here?" Saffron changed the subject.

Ashley nodded. "They have family that lives near here. I hope I get to see them."

"I'm glad you had a good first year," Saffron said to her.

"Thanks to you," Ashley said. "It's going to be strange without you there."

"You'll have to show Katie the ropes when she gets there," Saffron said with a grin. "But she'll probably know it all, already."

"I don't know if Hogwarts is ready for Katie," Ashley laughed. "My sister is going to take it by storm."

"Yes she is," Saffron nodded.

Ashley looked over to where Katie was sitting on a blanket with Caroline.

"Did you hear her earlier?" Saffron asked with a grin. "She's got that royal thing down to a T."

"Oh, you missed it," Ashley said. "When you were still inside, she walked over to Uncle Ron and told him that she expected mints on her pillows tomorrow morning!"

Saffron laughed. "You have got to be kidding."

"And she loves those sunglasses," Ashley said.

"They make her look just like a movie star," Saffron said dryly.

"Don't tell her that," Ashley said.

"Might just go right to her head," Saffron joked.

Harry stood back from his family, watching them all. He watched Saffron talking with Ashley and laughing. He watched Katie and Caroline talking animatedly. He watched his oldest daughter teasing Nick. His eyes fell on his wife last. She was staring off at the ocean, a thoughtful expression on her face. There wasn't anything he wouldn't do to protect her. If Dolohov was stupid enough to make a move, Harry was going to make him pay.

*** *** ***

Gabriel had arrived later that evening with his father and stepmother. Alexa reluctantly shared him with the rest of his family, but couldn't wait to get him all alone. She hadn't seen him since Easter and she was eager to catch up with him and have him hold her in his arms.

Alexa came downstairs and smiled when she saw Gabriel sitting with Emma, who seemed to be hanging on his every word.

"I've been to Disneyland loads of times," Gabriel was telling her.

"Princesses?" Emma asked hopefully.

Gabriel laughed. "Yes, I saw some princesses, but you know not one of them was as cute as you."

Emma grinned and blushed.

"If you ever come to visit me, I will take you to Disneyworld and you can see all the princesses firsthand," Gabriel told her.

Emma bounced up and down. "Tomorrow!"

Gabriel laughed. "Not tomorrow, Em. But maybe next summer."

Alexa walked into the room and sat down beside Gabe on the sofa.

"No, Lexie!" Emma squealed. "You sat on Ramona!"

"Oh," Alexa jumped up. "I'm sorry Em!"

"It's okay," Emma reassured her. "Ramona said she still loves you."

"I still love her too," Alexa shared a smile with Gabriel.

"Gabey's going to take Em to Disneyland!" Emma told her.

"He is?" Alexa asked. "Is it a date?"

Gabriel looked at her. "I don't know...her mom was telling me about some boy in her play group called Jacob. "

"Jacob?" Alexa swooped Emma up. "Is that your boyfriend Em?"

"Sometimes," Emma replied playing with a lock of Alexa's hair.

"Sometimes?" Alexa teased.

Emma giggled. "Yes."

"Like when?" Alexa asked. "When he's got biscuits?"

"Emma, you threw me over for some snotty-nose boy with biscuits?" Gabriel asked dramatically.

"Sorry," Emma held up her hands. "His biscuits are good."

Alexa and Gabriel laughed at this.

"Emma and Jacob," Alexa said grinning at her. "I think that has a nice ring to it."

"Like Lexie and Gabey," Emma giggled.

Gabriel mussed Emma's hair. "I think so, too."

"Emma Madeline Weasley!" Allison called out. "It's bath time!"

"I have to go," Emma scooted herself down. "Come on Ramona- we have to take a bath!"

Alexa and Gabriel watched as the red-haired little girl hurried out of the room. "Don't worry, Gabe. I think you have the best biscuits," Alexa told him.

"You better," Gabriel returned with a grin as he wrapped his arms around her.

"Did I tell you how much I missed you?" Alexa asked happily.

"Not yet you didn't," Gabriel said.

"I missed you," Alexa said burying her face in his shoulder.

Gabriel buried his nose in her hair. "How about we go for a walk by ourselves?" he asked huskily.

"Just let me go and grab a jumper and a blanket," Alexa said.

"Sure," Gabriel gave her a kiss.

Gabriel watched her go. Even though his schedule had been crazy these last few weeks, he'd thought about her every single day. He couldn't wait to be alone with her.

"Okay," she said a few minutes later. "Let's get out of here."

Gabriel took the blanket from her. "Lead the way, O'Leary."

She took his hand and squeezed it. "I know of a little area where it's quite secluded. Nice and private..."

Nice and private sounded really good to him and he could only smile as he followed her out of the house.

"How's Saffy?" Gabriel asked. "She didn't say much at dinner and she looked a little preoccupied."

"She's just having some... girl issues," Alexa said. Saffron had talked to her about Sean and her feelings for Andrew, and Alexa had sworn not to tell another soul.

"Sean shows up tomorrow, right?" Gabe asked. "Maybe she'll be back to normal once he's here."

"Maybe," Alexa shrugged. "I hope so."

Gabriel smiled at her. "We should all do something together when he gets here. Do a group date or something like that."

"I like that idea," Alexa said happily.

"I like the fact that soon you are going to be living in California," Gabe said.

"So close to you," Alexa said. "We'll get to see each other all the time."

"It's going to be great," Gabe told her.

Alexa pulled him close and kissed him hungrily.

Gabe dropped the blanket and wrapped his arms around her waist, kissing her back just as urgently.

"I've been waiting for this all day," she murmured when they pulled apart.

"Me too," Gabriel said breathlessly. "Lexie."

"Let's find that spot," she said, her eyes gone dark. "I don't know how much longer I can wait for you."

Gabriel smiled. "Me too."

She reached down and picked up the blanket.

Gabriel smiled again at her. "So how much further?"

"Just over here," Alexa said, ducking under some low branches. "What do you think?"

Gabriel looked around. "I think that it's perfect."

"No one can see in here," Alexa said, spreading out the blanket.

"Are you up to something, Miss O'Leary?" Gabriel asked.

"Me?" Alexa feigned innocence.

"Mmmhmm," Gabe laughed, sitting down on the blanket. "I get the feeling that you have something planned."

"I have nothing planned," Alexa toyed with the strap of her tank top.

Gabriel covered her hand with his own. "So...you have no idea what we could possibly do out here?"

"Oh I definitely have an idea," Alexa said, pushing him down.

"Mmm," Gabriel said. "I think I might like where this is heading."

She laughed. "I bet you do..."

Gabriel kissed her again. "I love you, Lexie."

"Love you too," Alexa said softly as he loosened her hair.

She was the most beautiful girl in the world to him and he couldn't wait to be with her again. He watched admiringly as she took off her tank top and tossed it aside.

"Come on," she said with a grin. "You're behind already."

Gabriel laughed and lifted his t-shirt up and over his head.

"You're looking a little pale, Boyd." Alexa said, giggling. "Where's that California tan?"

"Give me a break," Gabriel said defensively. "I spent most of my time in a classroom, or in a lab, or in the library."

"You still look good to me," Alexa replied.

"Pale and pasty as I am?" Gabriel asked leaning in.

"You're not THAT pale," Alexa teased, kissing him softly.

"Very funny," Gabriel said. "I thought you were used to pale and pasty boys since you live in a country that sees the sun....10 days a year?"

"That's soon going to change," Alexa said, kissing his shoulder.

Gabriel pulled her back down on the blanket. "You are going to love California."

Alexa smiled. "I'm going to love being with you all the time in California," she corrected.

"Me and my biscuits?" Gabriel teased.

"You'd better believe it," Alexa laughed.

Gabriel grinned and unbuttoned her shorts. "Let's get you out of these...."

She arched her body so he could slide them off her.

"And these," Gabriel said pulling at her knickers.

Her eyes locked with his as he shed the rest of his own clothing.

He settled himself over her. "Lexie..."

"Gabe," she said, raking her nails over his chest.

Gabriel leaned down and kissed her.

Alexa opened her mouth under his; his tongue swept through her mouth.

Gabriel slid inside her and wrapped his arms tightly around her.

"Oooh," Alexa's eyes closed. "Gabriel...."

They began to move together, the only sound coming from the waves hitting the beach.

Alexa wrapped her arms around him, pulling him as close to her as she could.

He couldn't get enough of her either and he trailed kisses on her shoulder. This was exactly what he'd been waiting for. Everything was perfect.

"Gabe," she gasped. "Oh Merlin..."

He grinned down at her. "Merlin?"

"Sorry," Alexa said breathlessly. "Magical terms."

Gabriel laughed before kissing her again.

It wasn't long before she cried out her release, holding onto him as if he were going to disappear.

"That was amazing," Gabriel managed to say.

Alexa nodded. "With you it always is."

"This is my new favourite spot in the entire world," Gabriel said softly.

Alexa snuggled into him as he moved to her side. "I love you so much."

"I love you too," Gabriel said brushing a strand of hair behind her ear.

"You are just the most incredible guy," Alexa said. "I'm really happy we're here together."

"Me too," Gabriel said feeling happier right then than he could ever remember feeling.

"Now we can be together all summer and then head back to California together," Alexa continued.

"Does it get any better than that?" Gabriel asked grinning at her.

"I can't think of anything better than that," Alexa kissed him softly.

As much as he'd like to stay there with her forever, he knew that they'd better get back.

They got dressed, sneaking in kisses every few seconds.

"How cute was Emma tonight?" Alexa asked as they made their way back to the house.

Gabriel laughed. "I love that little girl. She's too cute."

"If I ever have kids, I hope that they're just like her," Alexa said.

Gabriel reached for her hand. "I hope so too."

Lavender and Seamus were sitting out on the deck when the two teenagers arrived back.

"Hey, Dad," Gabriel said.

"Hi son," Seamus said. "Evening, Alexa."

Lavender smiled warmly at them. "It's a lovely night, isn't it?"

"Quite so," Alexa replied.

Gabriel and Alexa sat down together on one of the chaise lounges.

"We went into town," Lavender told them. "This one here even convinced me to have an ice cream."

"With actual calories?" Gabriel asked. "Way to go Dad!"

"It's okay to splurge every now and then," Lavender said defensively.

"Sure it is," Gabriel wrapped an arm around his girlfriend.

Just inside the house, Ethan was sitting in the living room with Ron, Luna and Maddie.

"In three weeks, we'll be getting three new children," Luna was telling them. "It seems so quiet in the house now, but the good thing is that all of our charges have been placed in permanent homes."

"I think it's lovely what you and Dad are doing," Maddie said to her mother.

"Thank you sweetheart," Luna smiled at her.

"Ethan, did you want another beer?" Ron asked his son-in-law. Ethan didn't answer him though. He seemed to be lost in his own thoughts.

Maddie nudged her husband. "Ethan?"

"What?" Ethan asked breaking out of his reverie.

"Want another beer?" Ron asked him, holding up his own empty bottle.

Ethan nodded. "That'd be great. Thanks."

"Are you all right?" Maddie asked him as her father went into the kitchen.

Ethan gave her hand a squeeze. "I'm sorry. I have a lot on my mind."

Maddie could certainly sympathize with that. "If you want to talk--"

"There isn't anything to say," Ethan interjected. "I screwed up."

"Ethan," Maddie said. "Anyone could have done that. You have to stop fretting over it."

Luna nodded in agreement. "Dolohov played the entire system, Ethan. You did everything you were supposed to do."

Ethan shook his head. "If I had, he wouldn't be a free man right now."

"Ethan," Maddie said giving him a hug. "You are a great Auror."

He wasn't that reassured. "No I'm not."

"You are," Maddie argued. "And everyone here thinks so."

Ethan sighed. He knew what she was trying to do and he loved her for it, but there was nothing she could say that would change his mind.

Ron came back and handed his son in law a beer. "I'm enjoying this peace and quiet while I can."

"You're going to love having more children in the house," Luna told him.

Ethan noticed the wistful expression on his wife's face.

"As long as they're not little troublemakers like Joey and Zach were," Ron shuddered.

Luna laughed. "I do miss those two..."

Ethan put his arm around Maddie.

"I'm sort of tired," Maddie said. "Ethan- are you ready for bed?"

Ethan nodded. "If you are..."

"It's been a long day," Maddie nodded.

Ethan stood up and offered his wife his hand.

"Good night, you two," Luna said. "We'll see you in the morning."

"Night Mum," Maddie said. "Night Daddy."

Ron watched the younger couple go upstairs and then turned his attention to his wife. "Maybe we shouldn't talk about children in front of Maddie like that."

"She's been feeling better about it lately," Luna told him. "She's spent a lot of time with Frankie and the children."

"I feel bad for her and Ethan," Ron said thoughtfully. "With this going on and what happened with Dolohov, it hasn't been easy."

"Not for either of them," Luna said. "But I think they'll be okay."

"I hope---" Ron started to say but his words trailed off as he watched a little red-haired girl tiptoeing down the stairs.

Allison and Jon had tucked Emma in just a little over an hour ago, but the little girl was still hungry. She knew she wasn't supposed to be out of bed, but she couldn't help it. She was just going to get one biscuit.

She didn't notice her grandfather watching her. "Come on Ramona," Emma whispered. "The kitchen's just here."

Ron put a finger to his lips and he and Luna crept into the kitchen right behind Emma.

Emma saw the biscuit jar just on the counter, but it was up way too high.

"Help, Ramona," Emma whispered.

Ron quietly withdrew his wand and pointed it at the jar.

Emma watched with wide eyes as the jar rose off the counter and toward her.

"Ramona," Emma whispered. "How did you do that?"

Luna tapped her granddaughter on the shoulder. "The better question might be why you two young ladies are out of bed?"

"Grandma!" Emma jumped.

Ron grabbed the jar and opened it.

"Well?" Luna asked her granddaughter.

"Em's hungry," Emma said in a pitiful voice.

Luna bent down and picked her up. "You had a big dinner, sweetheart."

"I know," Emma said. "But I want a biscuit."

"One biscuit couldn't hurt," Ron said. "And she did a good job helping with Casey earlier."

"Well just one," Luna relented. "I'm sure Jon and Allie want her in bed right now."

Emma hugged her grandmother. "Thanks, Grandma."

"Just one," Luna said as Emma reached into the jar.

Ron grinned at his granddaughter. "Get a good one, baby girl."

"Biggest one," Emma said happily. "I have to share it with Ramona."

"Of course," Luna said. "It's really good of you to share,"

Emma nodded. "Okay, we'll go back to bed now."

"Can I get a hug?" Ron asked.

Emma put her arms around his neck. "I love you Grandpa."

"I love you too," Ron said patting her back. "And I tell you what, Miss Emma, tomorrow morning, you can help me make breakfast."

"Pancakes?" Emma asked.

"Chocolate chip pancakes?" Luna asked.

Emma wiggled in excitement. "Yes!"

"Come on you," Luna said. "Let's get you back in bed."

"Kay," Emma said. "Come on Ramona!"

Luna took Emma's hand in hers and led her back upstairs.

"All right," Luna said. "Back in bed now, for the rest of the night."

"No more getting up," Emma promised.

"Good girl," Luna kissed her forehead.

Luna tucked Emma back into bed and then checked in on Casey and Hannah. Hannah was fast asleep, clutching one of her teddy bears.

Luna smiled at the young girl before she headed back downstairs. She could hear Ethan and Maddie talking behind their closed door and hoped everything was all right between them.

"Ethan, no one blames you for this," Maddie told him. "You have to stop beating yourself up over this."

Ethan just shook his head. "I know my dad keeps saying it's okay, but it's not."

Maddie sat down beside him on the bed.

He sighed. "I just feel like such an idiot."

"It was one mistake," Maddie tried to reassure him. "That awful man capitalised on one mistake."

"My mistake," Ethan raked his hands through his hair.

Ethan was a perfectionist when it came to his work and he'd been doing so well with everything that had been thrown at him. Most of all, he wanted his father to be proud of him.

"You're going to get past this," Maddie told him.

"I guess," he replied.

"You will," Maddie said softly. "Everyone makes mistakes, Ethan. You just pick yourself up and learn from them."

He nodded as she kissed him. "Thanks Mads."

"I love you no matter what," Maddie said resting her forehead on his.

"I love you too," Ethan put his arms around her.

"Come on," Maddie said. "Let's go to bed."

"Maybe I'll feel better in the morning," Ethan said as he kicked off his jeans.

"I'm getting a vision that you will," Maddie joked.

Ethan smiled at that. "You're good for me."

"You make it easy," Maddie smiling back at him.

"Love you," Ethan slid under the covers.

"I love you," Maddie said cuddling up to him.

He wrapped his arms around her and held her tightly to him.

"Try not to think about it," Maddie whispered.

"I'll try," Ethan said as she pressed her lips to his.

Maddie wished there was something else she could say to take away his guilt. She loved him more than anything in the world and she hated to see him beating himself up over it.

"Good night," Ethan whispered to her.

“Night,” Maddie said, hoping that things would look better in the days to come.

208. Chapter 208

Authors’ note: In light of JKR’s revelations, we bring you the new chapter of Last Dance. We hope that you will take the time to review and let us know what you think. We promise there are no chest monsters in this story or crazy talk about Harry and a certain red-haired Weasley, who shall remain nameless, being “soulmates”. We promise. Embrace your delusions!

RJ had to admit his best friend could almost beat his Nana in the kitchen. Andrew could whip up a breakfast faster than anyone he knew and it always tasted good.

Audrey laughed. "RJ that is your fourth helping!"

"Can't help it," RJ said. "You made me work up an appetite."

Andrew caught Natalia's eye and grinned.

She smiled back. She was spending almost all her free time here lately and was falling more and more in love with Andrew.

"Did today's Prophet come yet?" RJ asked. "I want to see if they have that interview my coach gave..."

"I put it in the hall," Andrew said.

RJ excused himself to go and get the paper.

"Talia, do you want some more juice?" Andrew offered. "Audrey?"

"I'd love some," Audrey said. "Thanks Andrew."

Natalie smiled. "Me, too. Thanks."

Andrew pecked his girlfriend on the cheek before he stood up to get the juice.

Audrey grinned at her. "You seem awfully happy this morning."

Natalie smiled back. "We just had a really good night last night. I've never felt this way before."

"He's such a nice guy," Audrey replied. "Of course, he's no RJ..."

Natalia grinned. "There's only one RJ."

"Thank goodness right?" Audrey laughed.

"I don't think the world could take two of him," Andrew said setting the glasses of juice down for the girls.

"Maybe a few of you," Natalia replied.

Andrew laughed. "What would you do with two of me, Talia?"

"You don't want to know," she said softly.

"Everything okay?" Audrey asked when RJ came back into the room.

"I hope so," RJ said, still holding the paper. "That Dolohov bloke screwed the system and got out of being sentenced. He threatened my Aunt Hermione- she's our Minister for Magic."

"Oh no," Natalia said. "How did he get out of that?"

"Literally screwed the system," RJ crumpled the paper angrily. "Now the whole family has to take the extra precautions in case he retaliates."

"The whole family?" Andrew asked, grabbing the paper.

"Yeah," RJ replied.

"Your parents are at the beach house with them, right?" Audrey asked RJ.

RJ nodded. "I'm sure they would have told me if something was going on."

Andrew read over the paper that included a photograph of the Potter children.

"What is it?" Natalia asked.

"I know the Potters quite well," Andrew said quietly.

"How?" Natalia asked innocently.

"I went to school with their youngest daughter," Andrew said absently.

RJ didn't add onto this. If Andrew didn't want to disclose any information about his previous relationship, it wasn't up to him.

"Saffron Potter," Natalia said looking over his shoulder. "She's the one that just signed to play with Puddlemere."

"Yeah," Andrew replied. "She's amazing."

"I can't imagine what they must be going through," Natalia said softly.

"They're really tight," Andrew replied, his eyes still on the picture of Saffron.

"I'm sure everything will be okay," RJ said. "I mean, my dad and Uncle Harry will have the beach house warded so there's no way anyone can touch them there."

Andrew nodded distractedly. He couldn't help but worry about Saffron.

"Will you excuse me for a second?" Andrew asked, setting the newspaper aside.

Natalia nodded and Andrew walked out of the kitchen and toward his bedroom. He hesitated just a moment before dialling Saffron's number on his mobile.

It rang a few times and he thought it was going to go to her voicemail when she picked up.

"Hallo?" she asked.

"Hey," Andrew said. "Saffy, its Andrew."

He heard her breath catch. "Andrew?"

"I-I just read about what happened with Dolohov," Andrew said wishing he could see her so he could talk to her in person. "I wanted to know if you were okay."

"I'm fine," she answered softly, closing her eyes.

"Saffy?" Andrew asked. He knew her so well, even though they weren't close anymore. "You're worried."

"Well yeah," she said. "I mean... that arse threatened my mum."

"Your mum's tough and she's got a lot of people who care about her," Andrew said reassuringly.

"Yeah she does," Saffron answered. "Thanks, Andrew."

Neither of them said anything for awhile. There was so much Andrew wanted to say now that he was actually speaking to her.

"I know you never like anyone telling you what to do, but I hope you will be careful," Andrew finally said.

"I'm being extra careful," Saffron said. "I promised my parents and Ethan I would be."

"Good," Andrew said. "Because I don't know---” His words were cut off when he heard Natalia calling out to him.

"You don't know what?" Saffron couldn't help asking.

"I don't know what I'd do if anything happened to you," Andrew finished, wondering if he'd said too much.

Saffron bit her lip as unexpected tears pricked at her eyes. "You're still the nicest guy, you know." she answered quietly.

"Well," Andrew said. "You make it easy, Saffy."

Natalia walked into the bedroom. "Hey, Andrew. You'd better get in the kitchen. RJ's threatening to eat the last waffle."

"I better go," Andrew said hastily. "Um... take care."

"You too," Saffron said softly. "Thanks...thank you for calling, Andrew. It means a lot to me."

"You're welcome..." Andrew would have said more if Natalia wasn't standing there. "I'll... I'll talk to you soon."

He hung up the phone and turned around to look at his girlfriend.

"Is everything okay?" Natalia asked concern etched across her pretty face.

Andrew nodded. "Fine," he replied.

Natalia stepped closer and took his hand. "You're sure?"

"Yeah," Andrew replied. "Everything's fine." he smiled at her.

Natalia could sense he wasn't telling her the truth, but she didn't want to push. She hoped that he knew if he did want to talk about what was bothering him, she'd be there for him.

"Come on," he said. "I'll make you something else if RJ's eaten everything."

"As if I needed another reason to be crazy about you," Natalia said leaning in.

Andrew kissed her back, forcing himself to forget about Saffron. They were over, and now he had Natalia.

*** *** ***

In light of what had happened with Dolohov, Saffron's parents were hesitant to let her go over to Sean's for the evening. But, she'd assured them that Sean's parents would be there and she wouldn't be out late. That had been a lie, but Saffron honestly didn't see the point in telling them that Sean's parents were going to be out for the evening. If she'd told them the truth, they'd never have let her out of the house.

As it was, part of her was starting to wish his parents WERE home. Sean had always been sweet, but lately had become a bit more pushy than usual.

"So what did you want to do?" Sean asked her. "Just watch a movie?"

"That's fine," Saffron said.

Sean grinned. "Why don't you pick one out and I'll make us some popcorn?"

"Sounds good," Saffron smiled back at him. He pecked her on the lips before disappearing into the kitchen.

Saffron walked over to the entertainment centre and scanned the titles. She thought a comedy would be great since she definitely needed a laugh.

She picked one out and put it into the DVD player. "I chose Blades of Glory," she told Sean when he came back into the room. "It looked pretty funny."

"Perfect," Sean said handing her a glass of soda.

"Thanks," she said as he put the bowl of popcorn on the table.

"I'm really glad you came over," Sean said putting his hand on her knee.

Saffron nodded. "I haven't seen you that much yet."

He'd been here for two days and had barely seen his girlfriend. Every time they'd had a moment or two alone, she'd had to go and help one of her friends with their children.

"It is nice," Saffron said, leaning against him.

"I've missed my girl," Sean said softly.

"I've missed you too," Saffron said, giving him a kiss.

Sean pulled her close.

Saffron closed her eyes as he pressed his lips to hers.

Sean deepened the kiss and pressed her back down on the sofa.

She relaxed against him, wrapping her arms around his neck.

"Saffy, you're so beautiful," Sean whispered in between kisses.

Saffron smiled. She felt bad about her misgivings now. "Thanks," she whispered back.

"I love you," Sean said, one of his hands sliding underneath her t-shirt.

"I um..." Saffron bit her lower lip as he kissed her neck.

Sean pulled away to look at her. "Saffy?"

She forced a smile onto her face. "Yeah?"

"Is everything okay?" Sean asked, his hand cupping her breast.

"Everything's fine," Saffron said, running her fingers through his short hair.

"You just seem a little tense," Sean said smiling down at her.

"I guess I am... this whole thing with that guy my dad and Ethan busted but got let go..." Saffron sighed. "It's just got everyone a little on edge."

"Anything I can do to take your mind off of it?" Sean asked.

"Kiss me," Saffron said softly.

Sean grinned. "That is definitely something I can do..."

"So do it already," Saffron said, pulling him down again.

Sean pressed his lips to hers again and ran his hands through her hair.

She shifted a bit underneath him and resolved to stop thinking about anything other than how good he was making her feel.

"I love you," Sean said again as he tugged up on her shirt.

Saffron wanted to tell him she loved him too, but refused to lie. Instead she kissed him harder.

That was all the encouragement Sean needed and he pulled away for just a moment. "We can go to my room..."

"Sean--" Saffron said.

"I've got something," Sean assured her before pressing his lips to hers again.

"That's not it," Saffron said. "I just don't think I'm ready for this."

"My parents aren't going to be back for hours," Sean said. "We should take advantage of the time..."

He moved to pick her up, but Saffron pushed him away.

"I just told you I'm not ready," Saffron sat up. "Sean, why are you being so pushy?"

"Pushy?" Sean asked taken aback. "Saffy---"

"I told you I didn't want to, but then you tell me we should go to your room," Saffron argued.

Sean sighed. "Saffy, we've been dating for quite some time."

"For six months," Saffron said. "I was with Andrew for over a year and we never did this."

"Andrew," Sean said sarcastically.

Saffron glared at him wordlessly.

"It always comes back to him, doesn't it?" Sean asked angrily.

"Andrew has nothing to do with us," Saffron answered tightly.

"He apparently has everything to do with us!" Sean argued. "He's the reason why you haven't said you love me...."

"HE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH US!" Saffron shouted angrily.

"Then why don't you tell me why you're being like this?" Sean retorted. "Hmm?"

"Because I'm just not ready for that step, okay?" Saffron snapped back at him. "And you said you'd never push me!"

"I haven't pushed you!" Sean exclaimed.

"Yes you are!" Saffron stood up.

"Where are you going?" Sean asked her.

"Home," she huffed.

"Run away," Sean told her bitterly. "Run away and go dream about Andrew Sodding Kirke..."

"He's better than you are," Saffron retorted, grabbing her jumper.

"Fine!" Sean yelled, stalking out of the room.

Saffron Apparated out of the house with a loud crack.

Saffron couldn't remember ever being this angry at Sean before, but he deserved it after the way he'd acted.

"Saffy?" Alexa looked up in surprise as she appeared in their room.

"I don't want to talk about it," Saffron said kicking off her sandals.

Alexa nodded. She knew Saffron would speak up when she was ready.

"Sean Grant is the biggest wanker on the planet," Saffron finally said. "Of all the nerve...throwing Andrew in my face!"

Alexa gaped at her. "He WHAT?"

"We were sitting on the sofa," Saffron told her. "Having a good time, snogging. He started to go a little further than I wanted and said something about going to his room. When I told him, I wasn't ready; he said it was because of Andrew."

"That's bollocks," Alexa replied. "You just weren't ready. There's nothing wrong with that!"

"We had a really big row," Saffron told her.

"You'll work it out," Alexa said reassuringly.

Saffron shook her head. "I'm not so sure, Lexie. I just---I care about him. I really do, but I just don't think its love."

"That's okay," Alexa said. "It takes time to fall in love."

"That's just it," Saffron pulled back her hair. "It's been a year since Andrew and I broke up... but I don't feel like I'm over him."

"Andrew was your first love," Alexa pointed out.

Saffron flopped back on her bed. "And I completely blew it with him."

"Do you want him back?" Alexa asked.

Saffron thought about that for a moment. "I'm not sure..."

"Saffy, maybe you and Sean should talk seriously about this," Alexa said. "Tell him how you're feeling."

"I tried to!" Saffron said. "He just got all pissy and stormed out."

"Tomorrow when you've both had a chance to cool down," Alexa said.

"Maybe," Saffron sighed. "I think I'm just destined for bad luck the rest of my life. I kicked karma in the face by not getting back with Andrew and this is what I get for it."

"Saffy," Alexa said. "You know that's not true."

"I know," Saffron said. "Pity party of one..."

Alexa moved to sit down beside her friend. "Life was so much simpler when we were 11."

"Tell me about it," Saffron agreed. "Sort of wish I was 11 again."

"Is there anything I can do?" Alexa asked her.

Saffron shook her head. "I think this is something I have to work out for myself. Thanks though. I'm glad you're at least here for me to sound off on."

"Always," Alexa promised giving her a hug. "It's all going to sort itself out."

"I hope so," Saffron said. "You're lucky you have Gabe."

Alexa smiled. "He is pretty great."

"Oh come on," Saffron smiled. "He's more than great."

Alexa laughed. "He's the best. He really is."

"I'm glad you're happy with him," Saffron said sincerely. "You deserve it."

"So do you," Alexa told her. "And you're going to be very happy. You're about to start out on a job that you've been dreaming about since we were kids, Saffy."

Saffron nodded. "I'm still in a bit of shock about that. Not that they want me, but how much they're paying me."

"You're worth every galleon," Alexa said smiling at her.

"Thanks Lexie," Saffron said gratefully.

Alexa shrugged. "It's what I'm here for, Saffy."

"You're just a good best friend," Saffron replied. "I don't always tell you that."

"So are you," Alexa said with a grin. "And don't worry about Sean. Tomorrow afternoon, you can go out with Gabe and me. We'll go to the arcade and have a great time."

"Sounds good," Saffron nodded.

"No thinking about Sean or Andrew," Alexa said moving back to her own bed.

Saffron didn't know if that was possible, but she'd definitely try. Life really had been much simpler when they were 11.

The next morning, Will heard the twins crying. He told Frankie that he'd check on them so she could get some more sleep. Will stretched and yawned when he got out of bed.

"If they're hungry the bottles are in the icebox," Frankie turned over on her side. "Thanks baby."

"You're welcome, love," Will said stumbling blearily out of their bedroom. He heard a familiar voice coming from inside the nursery.

Hannah had heard their cries too and had scurried out of bed to check on her brother and sister.

"Nathan, it's okay," Hannah said sticking her hand into his crib. "Your big sister is here."

Nathan continued to cry until Hannah stroked his velvety hair back.

Will leaned against the doorframe and watched his oldest daughter.

"You are my sunshine, my only sunshine," Hannah started to sing softly. "You make me happy when skies are grey..."

Will smiled and waited for Hannah to finish singing. "That was great, sweetheart."

Hannah turned around. "I didn't know you were there, Daddy!"

"I'm sorry to startle you," Will said. "But look how you got him to quiet down."

"He likes it when I sing to him," Hannah whispered.

"Both of them do," Will corrected.

Hannah smiled up at him. "Your hair looks really funny, Daddy."

Will scooped her up. "If yours wasn't in plaits I'm sure it would look just like mine."

Hannah giggled. "Maybe."

Will kissed her cheek. "Let's check on the twins and make sure they're not hungry, eh?"

"Okay," Hannah nodded. "They're both awake."

Will set her down. "I'm going to give you a really big responsibility, Hannah."

"What?" Hannah asked.

"I'd like you to carry Nathan into the kitchen for me," Will said, carefully picking his son up. "Can you do that?"

Hannah had held her brother and sister before but she'd never carried them anywhere. She nodded and said a silent prayer that she wouldn't drop Nathan.

"You'll do just fine sweetheart," Will said. "Just hold his head- just like that. Good job."

Hannah did just like he told her. "Hiya, Nathan."

Nathan stared up at her before letting out a soft coo.

Hannah smiled down at him. "I'm not going to let anything happen to you."

"That's a girl," Will said, holding Isabelle. "Come on- let's get them a bottle."

Hannah slowly followed her father out of the nursery.

Will set Isabelle into her bouncy seat and strapped her in, then helped Hannah put Nathan into his.

Hannah knelt in front of them and made a goofy face. Isabelle smiled broadly at her sister.

"Daddy!" Hannah exclaimed in delight. "She's smiling at me!"

Will grinned. "Of course she is."

Isabelle reached her small hand out toward Hannah.

Hannah kissed her sister's little fingers. "I love you so much Izzie."

"She loves you too," Will said using his wand to warm up two bottles.

"Can I feed one of them Daddy?" Hannah asked.

"Absolutely," Will replied. "Which one do you want?"

"You pick," Hannah said.

"How about you take Izzie?" Will asked, handing her a bottle.

"Okay," Hannah agreed.

Will knew that she'd helped Frankie do this a number of times so he wasn't worried.

"Here you go Izzie," Like an expert, Hannah guided the bottle to her sister's mouth.

Hannah giggled. "You sure were hungry, Izzie!"

"That's my girl," Will grinned. "That's both my girls."

Hannah beamed at her father.

"You've been such a big help to us Hannah," Will said.

"I want to help," Hannah said keeping her eye on Isabelle.

"I always knew you'd be a great big sister," Will told her. "Your mum and I are so happy about that."

"I love being a big sister," Hannah replied.

"You're a complete natural," Will said with a grin.

"Is Mummy okay?" Hannah asked.

"She's fine," Will nodded. "Sleeping."

"It's really early," Hannah said. "No one else is up but us."

"Kind of nice isn't it?" Will asked. "Quiet..."

"Not for long," Hannah giggled.

"Never stays like this for long," Will joked.

"Not around here," Hannah said taking the bottle away once Izzie had finished.

"Now comes the fun part," Will said. "Burping. Your mum told me you're good at that too."

Hannah laughed. "Oh yes."

Will handed her the cloth. "I'll even let you do both of them."

Hannah draped the cloth over one of her shoulders. "Thanks, Daddy!"

"You can always burp them," Will teased.

"Nathan's are always really loud," Hannah said. "Like Mr. Ron's."

Will laughed. "That's very, very true."

Will handed his daughter Isabelle and Hannah patted her sister's back.

"Just a little, ladylike one," Hannah said to her sister. "Like Mummy told you."

Isabelle let out a small burp and Will grinned. "That's a good girl."

"Mummy would be proud," Hannah told her. "Good job Izzie."

"Let's put her back in her seat and then you can do Nathan," Will said.

"Okay," Hannah said excitedly.

Will helped Hannah secure Isabelle in her seat.

"Okay, Mr. Nathan Barron," Will said lifting his son. "It's your turn. You be good for your sister."

Nathan waved his little arms as Will set him into Hannah's arms.

"I hope I don't need earplugs," Hannah teased her brother.

"Or a mask," Will joked.

Frankie heard this as she stepped into the kitchen. "Very funny."

"Hey," Will smiled at his wife. "Thought you were going to lie in."

"I was," Frankie said. "But I didn't want to miss out on the fun."

Hannah patted her brother's back and Nathan let out a rather loud burp.

"That's my boy," Will laughed.

"Told you," Hannah said laughing, too.

Frankie shook her head and sat down. "Good morning sweetheart," she said to Hannah.

"Morning, Mummy," Hannah said helping her father put Nathan in his seat.

"I see you're being a big help," Frankie said. "You don't miss a moment, do you?"

Hannah shook her head and walked over to her mother. Frankie lifted her up into her lap. "They ate really good, Mummy."

"Good," Frankie replied. "Is there any coffee made yet?"

"No, but I'm on it," Will said.

"Thanks," Frankie hugged Hannah close to her.

"I was sleeping and I heard Nathan crying," Hannah told her. "So I went to go and check on them and I sang to Nathan and he stopped crying! I sang that song you sing to me all the time."

"You are my sunshine?" Frankie asked with a grin.

Hannah nodded. "He loves it."

"I'm glad to hear that," Frankie kissed the top of her head.

"You want some juice, Hannah?" Will asked.

"Yes please," Hannah nodded.

"Coming right up," Will said grinning at her.

"Did you sleep good?" Frankie asked.

"I did," Hannah replied. "Em and I were laughing about this crazy story that Mr. Ron told us before we went to bed. It was about this princess who snuck downstairs to get a biscuit...."

Frankie laughed. "Are you sure it was a story?"

"I don't think it was," Hannah giggled.

Will brought over his wife's coffee and Hannah's juice. "For the ladies...."

"Thanks love," Frankie looked over at her babies, who were drifting back off to sleep.

"How about breakfast?" Will asked them.

"Waffles?" Hannah asked hopefully.

"Ooooh," Frankie said. "That sounds heavenly."

"And Daddy makes them best," Hannah added.

"Waffles it is," Will said. "How can I say no to those faces?"

"You can't," Hannah told him.

"We have him wrapped around our little finger," Frankie whispered to Hannah.

"I know," Hannah giggled. "I like it that way."

"What are you two whispering about?" Will asked them.

"Oh nothing," Frankie said with a grin.

Will didn't buy that for a moment.

"Daddy, Nathan looks just like you when he sleeps," Hannah commented.

"He certainly does," Frankie agreed.

"But he doesn't snore," Hannah added.

Frankie had to control her laughter at the look on her husband's face.

"Neither do I," Will said defensively.

"Yes you do," Frankie and Hannah chorused together.

"Okay, but at least I don't sing in the shower like some people named Francesca," Will said. "Completely off-key, I might add."

Frankie tossed her hair. "But I look so good doing it."

Hannah laughed. "I think you sound great, Mummy."

"Thank you sweetheart," Frankie grinned smugly at her husband.

"And you can dance better than Daddy," Hannah pointed out.

"Better than the ice cream scoop?" Will asked in mock indignation.

Hannah giggled. "Yes."

Will shook his head. "I don't know about these waffles..."

"But you're the smartest Daddy in the world," Hannah said hastily.

"Good save," Frankie replied.

"Thank you," Will said grinning at her.

Emma came into the room, yawning. "Smells good down here."

"Hiya, Em!" Hannah squealed. "Daddy's making waffles!"

"Yummy," Emma replied. "Can I have three?"

"Since you're so cute, I might let you have four," Will said winking at her.

Emma giggled. "With syrup!"

"Of course," Will said.

Frankie stood up. "I'll get you some juice, Em. Did you want apple or orange?"

"Orange please," Emma said. "Ramona? What do you want?"

Frankie watched as her niece looked at the empty space beside her.

"Ramona wants apple," Emma told Will.

"I'll get it for her," Frankie told her husband.

"You and Ramona have on matching pyjamas," Will said grinning at her.

Emma nodded. "She likes my clothes."

"How did you and Ramona meet?" Frankie asked setting two glasses down in front of her niece.

"After school," Emma said. "We were on the swings!"

"Oh," Frankie replied. "And you two just hit it off, eh?"

Emma nodded. "Just like that."

"She's really sweet," Hannah said.

"Ramona loves you Han," Emma told her.

Hannah beamed at her. "I love her too, Em."

Frankie moved over to stand beside Will. "Did you ever have an imaginary friend?" Frankie whispered.

Will shook his head. "It's weird- usually only lonely kids create imaginary friends."

"Em is the least lonely person in the world," Frankie commented.

"Exactly," Will shrugged. "But she does have quite the imagination..."

Emma and Hannah slid out of their chairs when they noticed Isabelle had woken up again. Emma knelt down in front of her cousin. "Izzie, it's me! Emma Madeline!"

Isabelle stared at her for a few moments before letting out a cry.

"Ooooh," Emma said hastily. "Don't cry!"

"It's okay Em," Frankie lifted Isabelle out of the seat.

Emma's nose scrunched up. "Izzie's nappy!"

"We have a winner," Frankie grimaced.

"Mummy calls that the fun part," Hannah whispered to Emma.

"Eww," Emma pinched her nose. "Not fun!"

"Come on, Izzie," Frankie said patting her daughter's back. "Let's go and get you cleaned up."

"Nathan's still sleeping," Hannah reported as Frankie took Isabelle upstairs.

"Adam is too," Emma told her. "He sleeps a lot!"

"That's cause they're babies," Hannah said. "When they get old like us, they won't!"

Will laughed as he set two plates before the two girls. "You two are rather old..."

"I'm only four!" Emma exclaimed, grabbing her little fork.

Will laughed. "And my little girl here is pushing six..."

"Almost," Hannah grinned.

"Do you lovely ladies mind if I join you?" Will asked.

Emma shook her head. "Have waffles!"

"Don't mind if I do," Will said dramatically.

"Five of them," Emma held up her fingers.

"Five," Will said. "I can do that with my eyes closed."

"Ten?" Hannah asked with a giggle.

"Ten is more Emma's Grandpa's style," Will said.

"Seven?" Emma tried again.

"Maybe," Will said with a grin.

"Do it!" Emma squealed.

Will stood up and walked over to the counter. He piled three more waffles on his plate which gave him a grand total of seven.

Emma's eyes were huge as he came back to the table.

"You look doubtful, Miss Weasley," Will said.

"Em wants eight," Emma said.

"Eight?" Hannah asked. "Whoa."

"Emma," Will shook his head. "You can deal with those three, and if you finish those you can have more."

"You sound just like my Daddy," Emma said pouting.

Will laughed. "There could be worse things..."

"I'm telling you Luna," Ron was saying when he stepped into the kitchen. "I smell food..."

"Hide the waffles!" Emma squealed.

Luna stifled a laugh at the look on her husband's face.

"Did my little Em finally turn on me?" Ron asked, scooping her up.

Emma squealed. "Grandpa!"

Ron tickled her. "Hide those waffles, eh?"

"Just kidding," Emma giggled. "Em will share."

"Goodness Will," Luna saw his plate.

"Daddy has to eat seven of them," Hannah told her.

"That's my kind of bloke," Ron said approvingly.

"Grandpa, how many can you eat?" Emma asked patting his cheek.

"As many as I can fit on a plate in six helpings," Ron told her.

"Ronald," Luna said shaking her head.

"It's true," Ron replied.

"I bet you can, Grandpa!" Emma squealed.

"All bets are on then," Ron headed for the stove.

Emma's eyes grew wide as she watched her grandfather load his plate with waffles. "I think this is enough for a start," Ron said picking up the plate with his free hand.

"Jeez," Will muttered as Ron dug into the stack.

"You'd better make more, Daddy," Hannah told him.

"Loads more," Will got up as Nathan started to cry.

Luna smiled. "I'll get him for you, William."

"Thanks," Will said gratefully.

Luna gingerly picked up Nathan and placed a kiss on his forehead. "There....there....."

"Grandma's good with babies," Emma said with her mouth full.

"I had loads of practise," Luna said smiling down at Nathan. "I think this one just wanted to be part of the fun. Isn't that right, Nate?"

Nathan stopped crying and waved his little arms in the air.

"It's too bad Nate can eat waffles," Emma said before popping another bite into her mouth.

"More for us," Hannah said. "Right Em?"

Emma beamed at her. "Yes!"

Luna sat down with Nathan. "You look just like your daddy."

"Handsome and perfect," Will joked.

Luna laughed. "That's it."

"More like smelly and gross," Ethan cracked as he came in the kitchen.

Will grinned. "Ron, you can have Ethan's waffles."

"He'd eat them anyway," Ethan sat down. "Or my wife would."

"Where is Mad?" Emma asked him.

"Still sleeping," Ethan said.

Ethan poured himself a cup of coffee and sat down at the table. He laughed when he saw Ron and Emma happily eating.

"You two never stop, do you?" he asked.

"Eat to live, live to eat," Ron said winking at Emma.

"Eat to live," Emma began giggling uncontrollably.

Frankie came back into the kitchen with Isabelle. "We know how to draw a crowd."

"Something smells good, that's the thing," Ron answered.

"I looked outside and it looks like it's going to be gorgeous today," Frankie told them.

"To the beach!" Emma sang.

Ethan laughed. "What are you going to do at the beach?"

"Sand castle with Han, Casey and Ramona," Emma said.

"Daddy, you're going to help us, right?" Hannah asked.

"Absolutely," Will replied.

209. And So It Begins...Chapter 209

Authors’ note: We hope you will understand why this one is a little short. It is the beginning of the really, really, really big storyline. That’s all we can say because we don’t want to spoil anything.

Just upstairs, Ashley was about to join the rest of the group downstairs when she ran into her mother.

"I think Will made his famous waffles," Julie said giving her daughter a hug.

"It smells so good down there," Ashley said happily.

"We'd better get down there before it's all gone," Julie said.

"Good idea," Ashley said.

"I heard Alexa talking about going into town with Saffy and Gabe," Julie said as they walked downstairs.

"They asked if I wanted to go, but I promised Caroline and Katie that I'd hang out with them today," Ashley said. "They want to build sandcastles."

"That's awfully nice of you," Julie said.

Ashley smiled. "I think it'll be fun."

"I'm sure it will be," Julie nodded.

"What are you and Dad going to do today?" Ashley asked.

"I'm not sure yet," Julie replied thoughtfully. "Just relax on the beach."

"That sounds like fun," Ashley said.

"When are Zander and Brittany coming?" Julie asked her.

"This weekend," Ashley replied. "Their uncle lives about seven houses down from us. Do you know that they were actually here last summer when we were and I had no idea! I mean, I didn't know them then, but still..."

"It's a small world sometimes isn't it?" Julie smoothed her daughter's hair back.

"It is," Ashley said. She couldn't wait to see her friends again.

Before long, everyone was up and sitting around the kitchen table.

"Sweetheart, are you sure you're okay?" Hermione asked her daughter who had been very quiet during breakfast.

"I'm all right," Saffron answered absently.

"If you need to talk, I'm here," Hermione said patting her daughter's arm.

"I might take you up on that later," Saffron said.

"What time are you heading out with Alexa and Gabe?" Hermione asked.

"Around four, I think," Saffron replied.

"Just be careful," Hermione told her. "Make sure you have your wand and your mobile...."

Saffron nodded. "I know. I'll be careful."

"That's my girl," Hermione said giving her a hug.

"Is Sean going with you?" Katie asked her.

"I don't think so," Saffron replied, not ready to rehash what had happened last night for the whole table. She hoped her niece wouldn't pursue this line of questioning. For all Saffron knew, she and Sean were finished.

"Why?" Katie asked. "He's so cute, Aunt Saffy. Almost as cute as Andrew."

Ashley elbowed her sister. "Stop asking about her boyfriends, Katie." she hissed.

"No one asked you, Ashley Beth," Katie said rolling her eyes.

"It's called common sense," Ashley said to her.

"Mummy!" Katie called out.

"What is it Katie?" Julie asked.

"Ashley is being mean!" Katie exclaimed, glaring at her sister.

Julie rolled her eyes. "Girls," she said in a warning voice.

"Sean and I had a row," Saffron whispered to Katie. "Okay? We're not really speaking right now."

"Why?" Katie pressed. "About what?"

"I really don't want to talk about it," Saffron said. "Can we just leave it at that?"

"Yes," Ashley answered for her sister. "You can."

"Fine," Katie relented.

Ashley caught her aunt's eye and made a face at her.

Saffron smiled for the first time that morning. "Thanks," she mouthed to Ashley.

Ashley sent her an encouraging smile before returning her attention to her meal.

Harry stood up to refill his coffee and motioned for his son to join him at the counter.

"What's up?" Ethan asked in a low voice.

"There's no new word on Dolohov," Harry said quietly. "Apparently, he's behaving himself. I'm going to call Neville this afternoon and see if he's found out anything new."

Ethan nodded. "Think Saffron needs an Auror when she goes into town?"

Harry had thought about that, but he didn't think it was necessary. "She promised she was going to be careful. I think she'll be okay."

He nodded. "All right..."

"I'm glad that you've stopped blaming yourself for what happened," Harry said.

Ethan shrugged. "There wasn't much good in it."

"That's right," Harry said. "You're a good Auror, Ethan."

"Thanks Dad," he said sincerely.

"So what are you and Maddie up to today?" Harry asked.

"Just going to relax on the beach," Ethan looked over at his wife.

"Your mother seems to have it in her head that she and Luna can beat Ron and me at volleyball," Harry said.

"Yeah right," Ethan said. "Mum's rubbish at all sport."

"I heard that!" Hermione exclaimed. "Ethan James. You should never doubt your mother."

Ethan sent her a sheepish grin. "You wouldn't want me to lie would you?"

"I think you and Hermione have a great chance of winning," Maddie said to her mother.

"Thank you dear," Luna smiled at her.

"They don't have snowball's chance in hell," Ron boasted. "Come on. No offence, Hermione, but you don't have an athletic bone in your body. As for my lovely wife, I love you with all my heart, but you have your head in the clouds most of the time."

Hermione and Luna both glared at him.

"I'll have you know that I read a book on volleyball once," Hermione retorted.

"Ooh," Ron said. "A BOOK on volleyball."

Harry chuckled, earning a death glare from his wife.

"I think Hermione and I can give you a run for your money," Luna said to Ron. "You should never judge a book by its cover, Ronald. We could be very good."

"I'll believe THAT when I see it," Ron replied.

"Ronald Weasley," Hermione said leaning across the table.

"What?" Ron asked rolling his eyes.

"Prepare to eat sand," Hermione replied.

"I bet it tastes great," Ron said in a smartass tone.

"Ugh, you are the most insufferable, arrogant---" Hermione started to say.

"Irresistible," Ron continued. "Good looking--"

"That would be me," Harry said with a grin, but Hermione and Ron were ignoring him.

"Moronic, infantile," Hermione countered.

"Charming and sweet," Ron stuffed a roll into his mouth.

Saffron couldn't help but laugh at the look on her mother's face. She could almost see steam coming out of her mother's ears.

"Uncle Ron," she said. "You're in for it now."

"I'm not worried," Ron boasted. "Especially not about my wife and old Bossy Boots here beating me and Harry."

"Bossy Boots?" Hermione asked angrily.

"Bossy Boots," Ron repeated gleefully. He loved getting a rise out of her.

"Ron," Harry warned, knowing his wife was about to blow.

"I'll see you out on the beach," Ron said grinning at Hermione before pushing back in his chair.

"I hate him," Hermione said furiously.

"You do not," Harry said.

"He is a wanker," Hermione said.

"I hate that I'm going to miss the big showdown," Saffron said. "But Lexie, Gabe and I are leaving in a few minutes."

Hermione calmed down. "You promise me you'll be extra careful in town?" she asked. "You'll have your wand handy, and your mobile, and you'll keep an eye out for anything suspicious?"

"I promise," Saffron said. "I imagine the worst thing I'll see will be some tourist with a hairy back wearing a Speedo."

"Gross, Saffy," Alexa complained.

"Just be careful, sweetheart," Harry told her. "If you see anything suspicious, you call me right away."

"I will," Saffron nodded. "I'll keep my mobile in my pocket."

"We'll be back before dinner," Alexa told them. "I heard that Allie's cooking."

"We definitely don't want to miss that," Saffron said.

"You should be worried about me," Gabe said. "I'm the one who has to spend time with these two who will probably drag me into all those shops."

"You poor thing," Saffron deadpanned.

"I'm not holding anyone's purses, either," Gabe said firmly.

"We don't need you to," Saffron informed him loftily.

"Thank you," Gabe said. "Are you ladies ready, then?"

"I am," Alexa said, grabbing her bag.

"Me too," Saffron said. "Good luck, Mum. I hope you and Luna kick some arse."

"We will," Hermione hugged her daughter. "Have fun, sweetheart."

"Can I get one of those too?" Harry asked.

Saffron smiled and gave her father a hug. "I love you, Daddy."

"I love you too baby," Harry kissed the top of her head.

Saffron followed Alexa and Gabe out of the house. She resolved not to think about Andrew or Sean today. She was going to have a good time with her best friend and her cousin.

"Come on," Alexa laughed at her. "You're a slowpoke today, Saffy."

"She's probably counting all that money in her head," Gabriel teased.

"Don't be jealous," Saffron told him.

Gabriel laughed. "I'm one of the little people. We don't get jealous, Saf."

"If you say so," Saffron waved her hand.

Alexa laughed. She was glad to see her best friend smiling. "It's really nice out today. You couldn't ask for a better day."

"No you really couldn't," Saffron agreed.

"I'm thinking we could start out at Seascapes," Alexa said referring to one of the small shops. "I want to get something for my mum's birthday."

"Sure," Gabriel reached for her hand.

"I also want to stop in at that used book place," Saffron said.

"Great," Gabriel joked. "Now we'll be there for hours."

"Oh, you love it," Saffron said as they turned the corner onto the boardwalk.

"Not really," he smirked as Saffron's mobile rang.

Saffron pulled her phone from her bag. "Hello?"

"Saffy?" Sean asked.

Saffron didn't answer him at first. "Um, hi."

"I think we need to talk," Sean said. "Can I meet you at your place?"

"I'm not at home," Saffron told him. "Lexie, Gabe and I are on the boardwalk."

"Can I meet you there then?" Sean asked. "In ten?"

"Sure," Saffron said. The truth was, they did need to talk. "I'll meet you just outside of Seascapes."

"I won't be long," Sean promised before hanging up.

Saffron clicked off her phone and looked at Alexa and Gabe. "Sean.. He wants to meet me."

"Well that's good, right?" Alexa asked encouragingly.

"I guess we'll see," Saffron said. "Why don't you and Gabe go ahead inside. I'll just wait for him out here."

"Are you sure?" Alexa asked. "Why don't we wait with you, then when he arrives we'll go in."

"I'll be fine," Saffron assured her.

"Are you sure?" Alexa asked.

Saffron laughed. "Go."

"We won't be long," Alexa promised.

Saffron sat down on one of the benches outside of the shop. She wondered what she would say to Sean. It wasn't fair to him if she couldn't give her whole heart to him.

If he was willing to be a little more patient, they might actually have a chance, however.

Saffron looked at her watch. Sean should be arriving any moment now.

"Excuse me, love," an older man said interrupting her thoughts. "Do you have the time?"

"Yeah," Saffron said. "It's half past ten."

"Thank you," the older man said sitting down on the other side of the bench.

Saffron nodded and stood as she saw Sean appear at the end of the street.

He gave her a slight smile as he approached her.

"Hi," Saffron said nervously as the door behind them opened and Alexa and Gabriel came back out.

"Hi," Sean replied. "Saffy, I'm sorry about last night."

Saffron nodded. "Me too. I--"

Everything seemed to move in slow motion. One moment, Saffron was looking at Sean and the next, she saw his face crumple in pain.

"SAFFY!" Alexa shouted. "LOOK OUT!"

Saffron whirled around as a jet of light shot directly at her.

"AVADA KEDAVRA!" the older man that had been sitting beside her a few moments ago shouted.

Sean stepped in front of her just as Saffron pulled her wand from her pocket.

Alexa screamed as the man pointed his wand at her and shot a different spell, making her fall against Gabriel.

"Lexie!" Gabriel shouted. "Lexie!"

Saffron pointed her wand at the man but he was too quick. "Expelliarmus!" he shouted. "Stupefy!"

Saffron fell to the ground, hitting her head hard on the wooden planks of the boardwalk. Everything went pitch black.

The man smiled to himself as he gathered the teenage girl in his arms. The other boy was too busy looking after the redhead.

With a crack, he disappeared, holding the brunette. His thin, chapped lips curved up in a sinister smile as he appeared in the ramshackle house he'd set up for this purpose.

Everything had gone to plan. They had actually thought they'd be able to stop him. He'd been waiting for this.

He unceremoniously dumped the girl in the room he had prepared and locked the door, setting the wards firmly in place. There was no way she would be able to escape.

Back on the boardwalk, Gabriel was clutching Alexa to him. The police and an ambulance had arrived.

"Stand back," one of the medics said to Gabriel.

"I don't know what happened," Gabriel said, his eyes wildly searching the crowd.

Gabriel saw the medics putting Sean on a stretcher and covering his body with a sheet.

"He's dead?" Gabriel asked hoarsely.

"I'm afraid so," the medic replied before turning around and shouting to one of his colleagues. "We need a stretcher over here!"

"I have to call my dad," Gabriel said. "And... oh man...."

"Not so fast," a policeman stopped him. "We need to take a statement from you."

"I don't know how it happened," Gabriel said helplessly, moving towards his girlfriend as they put her onto the stretcher.

"What's your name, son?" the policeman asked him.

"Gabriel Boyd- Finnegan," Gabriel answered. "Is Lexie going to be all right?"

The policeman didn't seem to know or care about Alexa at that moment.

Back at the beach house, Ron and Harry were winning their volleyball game but only by two points.

"Come on, Luna," Hermione encouraged as the blonde prepared to serve.

"Maybe this time she'll get it over the net," Ron muttered to Harry.

Harry only shook his head. He wasn't about to get in hot water with his wife.

Luna served the ball and it went over Ron and Harry's heads.

"That's out!" Ron called out.

"OUT?" Hermione asked incredulously. "Are you blind? You missed it by a mile. Our point."

"IT WAS OUT!" Ron shouted.

"IN!"

"Come on you two," Harry said. "It's just a game, right?"

"Fine, take the point," Ron grumbled going to retrieve the ball. "We're still winning."

Harry's mobile phone trilled. He'd hooked it to the waistband of his shorts in case Saffron or Neville called.

"One minute," he said, walking away from the net. "Hallo?"

"Mr. Potter?" a gruff voice answered. "This is Inspector Travers. I'm calling about your daughter, Saffron."

An icy cold feeling washed over him. "What?" he asked, walking away from the volleyball net. "What happened to my daughter?"

Hermione heard this and froze as she watched the colour drain from Harry's face.

"I'll be there in a few minutes," Harry said tersely, snapping his mobile shut.

"Harry what happened?" Hermione asked.

"Something happened on the boardwalk," Harry choked out. "Um...the Muggle police are there. They...they don't know where Saffy is. Alexa's hurt and Sean....Sean was killed."

Hermione clapped her hands over her mouth in horror.

Luna put her arm around Hermione to support her friend.

"Ron---can you call Neville please?" Harry asked, trying to keep his emotions in check for his wife's benefit. "I have to go..."

"Harry," Hermione pleaded. "Where's our baby?"

Harry didn't have an answer. He knew he shouldn't have let Saffron go, but he'd done it anyway. He should have been there with her or insisted Ethan follow her. And now...he didn't want to think about it. "Dolohov."

Hermione blinked back tears. "I'll tell Ethan," she said hoarsely.

"She's going to be okay," Luna tried to reassure Hermione.

"We let her go," Hermione held onto her friend. "Luna, we let her go..."

"Shhhh," Luna said hugging Hermione. "You weren't to know this would happen."

Hermione sank to her knees in the sand.

Harry couldn't manage seeing his wife like this. He wanted to comfort her, but right now his first priority was finding Saffron. With a pop, he Apparated.

Ron headed over to where his daughter and Ethan were lying next to each other on some towels.

"Hi, Daddy," Maddie said smiling up at him. Her smile quickly faded when she saw the look on his face. "Daddy?"

"Ethan, you need to go to the boardwalk straightaway," Ron said. "Something happened to Saffy. Alexa's hurt, and Sean... Sean was killed."

"What?" Ethan asked getting to his feet. "Saffy?"

"She's missing," Ron's voice broke.

Ethan grabbed his t-shirt. "Dolohov."

"We don't know," Ron said. "Your father's already there."

"Mads, I have to go," Ethan said trying to think like an Auror. But, if Dolohov had hurt one hair on his sister's head, he was going to kill him.

"Go," Maddie nodded, her face etched in worry.

Ethan hurried back toward the house.

"Where are Julie and Nick?" Ron asked Maddie.

"Inside, I think," Maddie replied.

Ron nodded. "Come on inside, sweetheart. We should all be together."

"Right," Maddie nodded.

Once inside, Ron called Neville and told his friend everything he knew so far. Neville said he would arrive in Brighton shortly with a team of Aurors.

"I would know," Hermione was saying to no one in particular. "If something had happened to her, I would know. She's----she's my baby."

"She's all right," Luna soothed her. "Saffy's a tough girl."

Tears were streaming down Hermione's face as she thought about her youngest daughter. Saffron was tough, but would that make a difference against a sociopath like Dolohov?

Luna hugged her. "Come on Hermione," she consoled. "Harry's going to find out what happened."

Back at the boardwalk, Harry was trying to do just that. A crowd had gathered around the area where the crime had taken place and Harry was trying to get through. A burly officer held his hand out to stop him. "I'm sorry, sir. This is a crime scene. You can't get through."

"I was called," Harry said curtly. "My daughter is missing, her boyfriend is dead, her best friend is hurt, and I don't even know what happened to my nephew Gabriel."

"Oh," the officer said. "You'll need to talk to Inspector Travers."

"Right," Harry brushed past him.

The inspector was talking with Gabriel who looked a little worse for the wear.

"Uncle Harry," Gabriel said gratefully.

"Gabe," Harry put a hand on the young man's shoulder. "Why don't you tell me what happened. Was it--?"

Gabriel sighed. "I don't know. She---Saffy got a call right after we left the house. Sean wanted to meet with her. She waited for him outside while Alexa and I went in the store." Gabriel wanted to get out of here to see how Alexa was doing, but he knew that the police needed to know what had happened. "We came out and she was with Sean and this old man---shouted something at them and then he---"

Harry knew the young man was worried about what to say in front of the Muggle police.

Thankfully, Neville came up at that moment. "We'll take it from here," he said. "Scotland Yard."

Inspector Travers looked at him. "Look---"

"We'll handle this," Tonks and Kingsley Shacklebolt said taking the inspector aside.

"Gabriel," Neville said. "You're the only one that saw what happened. We need to know EXACTLY what happened."

Gabriel sat back down. "Saffy, Alexa and me were going to spend the day on the boardwalk. We hadn't been here five minutes when she got a call from Sean. They'd had a fight and apparently he wanted to talk."

"Okay," Harry nodded. "Then what?"

"Saffy stayed outside while Lexie and I went inside," Gabriel continued. "We weren't in the shop very long. When we came out, she was standing with Sean. I remember seeing this older man staring at them. I thought it was strange that he was wearing a heavy sweater and trousers when it was so hot outside. He--um, he pushed past Lexie and me, and pulled out a wand. He aimed it right at them, he said 'Avada Kedavra', I believe. I don't know---"

Harry and Neville exchanged glances. "I can't believe it," Neville muttered. "Poor guy..."

"I don't know what he said to hurt Lexie," Gabriel said, tears welling up in his eyes when he remembered seeing his girlfriend fall into his arms. "She ---she has to be okay."

"I'm sure the doctors will do everything they can," Neville tried to reassure him. "Gabriel, can you tell us what happened next?"

"I... I'm not sure." he said. "I was looking after Lexie and the next thing I knew, he had grabbed Saffron and disappeared."

"Did you get a good description of the bloke?" Neville asked him.

"He was kind of tall," Gabriel thought. "Um... he was wearing a sweater and some trousers... and he seemed pretty normal, pretty average..."

"It's Dolohov," Harry said impatiently. "Neville..."

"Harry," Neville put his hand up. "We have to let Gabriel finish."

"I'm sorry, Uncle Harry," Gabriel said. "I should have done something to stop him."

"Gabriel you couldn't have stopped him," Harry said. "He's a psychopath."

Logically, Gabriel knew Harry was right, but it didn't make him feel less guilty.

"Gabe!" a familiar voice called out. "Let me through so I can see my son."

"Dad!" Gabriel turned. "Dad!"

Seamus pushed through the crowd. Ron had called him on set to let him know what had happened. "Gabe!"

"Dad," Gabriel hugged his father. "You have to take me to the hospital to see Lexie!"

"Of course," Seamus said. "I'm so glad you're okay."

Gabriel nodded. "But I need to see Alexa, Dad. Please."

"You can go," Neville said. "Thank you, Gabriel."

Gabriel nodded. "I'm sorry about Saffy," he said. "If there's anything I can do to help find her, or if I can remember anything else--"

"I know," Harry told him. "Thank you, Gabe."

Gabriel hurried away, Seamus following right behind him.

"We don't know that it was Dolohov, Harry." Neville said before his friend could say it.

"WHO ELSE WOULD IT BE?" Harry practically yelled at him.

"We'll find out," Neville said. "Come on Harry. We need you to stay calm while so we can figure out what happened to Saffy."

"Nev," Tonks came over. "The Muggle police found these items beside Sean's body."

Harry felt his heart plummet as he recognised his daughter's wand and mobile phone.

"Harry," Neville put a hand on his arm.

"There was also some blood," Tonks said gently.

Harry felt like his entire world was crashing down on him. "Saffy's?" he asked. "Was it my baby's?"

Tonks nodded. "I'm sorry, Harry."

Harry exhaled, and felt his knees buckle.

Neville grabbed his friend arm. "We're going to find her, Harry."

"We have to," Harry said weakly.

Tonks excused herself to interview some more witnesses while Neville tried his best to reassure Harry. Harry though could barely register that Neville was talking to him.

"Dad," Ethan came tearing over. "Dad what happened? Is that Sean back there?"

Harry nodded gravely. He somehow managed to tell Ethan everything he knew so far, which seemed like so little.

"Saffy's missing?" Ethan asked. "Dad--"

"I can't just stand here," Harry said walking over to the pier. He had been on this boardwalk so many times over the years with each of his children. Never in a million years did he think anything like this would happen.

210. Chapter 210

Authors’ note: We would like to thank you all for the feedback on the last chapter. Everything had been fluffy and nice and all of a sudden this happens and you’re going to see the fallout for quite some time. This storyline has rejuvenated us in a way and we hope that you guys will like what we have planned. There’s definitely drama and angst ahead. Thank you guys so much for reading! You are the best!

(Beginning of flashback)

"Daddy?"

A small smile played on Harry's lips as he saw his youngest daughter as a four-year old holding his hand as they walked down the boardwalk. "Ooooh! Books!" she exclaimed.

"Books," Harry laughed. "That's right baby. Should we go in and find you a book?"

Saffron nodded. "Big book! Bigger than me."

Harry laughed as he swung her up. "A book bigger than you? That won't be hard."

Saffron giggled and put her arms around his neck. "I love you, Daddy."

Harry kissed her cheek. "I love you too baby."

"Bigger than the sky?" Saffron asked beaming at him.

"Bigger than the sky, and the ocean, and all of the UK," Harry told her.

"That's a lot," Saffron said as he pushed open the door to the book shop.

"Hello, Mister Potter," the owner of the shop said brightly. "And this can't be your youngest. How big has she gotten since the last time I saw her!"

"This much!" Saffron held her arms open.

Harry laughed. "She's four now, Grace. Four going on forty."

"Daddy I'm not THAT old!" Saffron giggled.

"She'll be that old before you know it," Grace said.

"Daddy's going to get me a BIG book!" Saffron announced.

Harry set her down and Saffron happily followed Grace to the children's section.

"That one!" Saffron pointed as soon as they got over there.

"What did you pick out, baby?" Harry asked.

"Fairy tales!" Saffron clutched the book to her.

"Excellent choice, Miss Saffron," Grace said.

Saffron grinned. "Daddy, we can read them together, right?"

"Absolutely," Harry agreed.

"And we have to get Julie, Ethan and Mummy a book too," Saffron said. "And Greta!"

"All right, all right." Harry said.

"No cookbooks for Mummy," Saffron said causing Harry to laugh. "No way."

"Definitely not," Harry said. "How about a nice biography?"

"I think I have something Mrs. Potter would like," Grace said.

Harry picked Saffron up again. "This has been the best day, Daddy."

"It's always a best day when I get to spend it with my Saffy," Harry said, hugging her tight.

***

"Dad?" Ethan asked, coming up behind his father. "Dad?"

Harry jerked himself out of his reverie. "What?"

"I just wanted to see how you were holding up," Ethan said.

Harry just shook his head. "How many years have I been an Auror now... and I don't even know where to begin here."

"I know," Ethan agreed. "This is all my fault. I'm sorry that---"

"It's not your fault," Harry said. "Don't even go there. We need to figure this out, not play the blame game."

Ethan nodded. "Justin and Lupin are checking on Dolohov's whereabouts. It has to be him, Dad."

Harry nodded. "He's been lying low the past few weeks, since the verdict. He's been plotting."

"Neville said we needed to think of other possibilities too," Ethan said. "Do you think Nick's parents---"

"This isn't their MO," Harry replied. "Lucius, perhaps... but he's still in Azkaban."

"What about his wife?" Ethan asked. "Narcissa, isn't it?"

"I'll check on that- but she never does anything without her husband." Harry replied.

Ethan knew they had to consider all the possibilities, but he knew in his heart that Dolohov was behind this.

"Come on," Harry said.

Ethan nodded and followed his father. They were getting nowhere just standing around.

"I should really go tell your mother what's going on," Harry raked his hands through his hair. "And... shite... Sean's parents."

"Neville's with them now," Ethan told him.

Harry shook his head. "I really can't believe he'd go this far," he said tightly.

"Murder, kidnapping, attempted murder," Ethan said listing the charges Dolohov would face if---when, they caught him.

Neville came back over to them. "We've got a trace on the area to see where the suspect Apparated away to."

"And?" Ethan asked.

"We'll find Saffron," Neville told him.

"I'm going to Dolohov's," Harry said determinedly. "I'm going to make that bastard tell me what he did to my daughter!"

Neville grabbed him by the arm. "Harry, I know you're upset---"

"HE TOOK MY DAUGHTER!" Harry roared.

"You are thinking like a father right now," Neville said quietly. "You have to think like an Auror. You know that the obvious choice isn't always the right one. If you go busting into his house without the proper authorization, you're going to make things worse. You are too close to this, Harry."

"Damn right I am," Harry said furiously. "I should never have let him go in the first place. I should have killed him right outside the courtroom."

"That's just great," Neville said sarcastically. "Then you'd be in Azkaban, Harry."

Harry glared at him. "I have to get to the Ministry," he snapped.

"Harry, don't do anything foolish," Neville warned.

"I'll go tell Mum what's going on," Ethan said quietly. "I'll meet you at the Ministry, Dad."

"Tell your mother that I'm going to bring our little girl home," Harry said to his son. "Tonight."

Ethan nodded. "Safe and sound, right?"

"Safe and sound," Harry said. "If it's the last thing I do."

Ethan nodded again before heading back to the beach house.

Everyone was gathered in the sitting room awaiting word on what had happened. Ethan hadn't expected to see everyone like that. He didn't even know where to begin. The only time he'd ever seen his mother like this was when her father had passed away.

He gulped when he arrived back. "Um..." he began.

"Where's Aunt Saffy, Uncle Ethan?" Ashley asked, wiping at her eyes. "Is she okay?"

"I don't know," Ethan said, running his hands through his hair. "Um... Sean... well... Sean was killed. Alexa was hurt and Gabriel's at hospital with her. And Saffy...."

"Please tell us, Ethan," Julie urged.

"We don't know where she is," Ethan admitted.

Hermione looked point-blank at him. "Ethan, you're not telling us everything, are you?"

Ethan hadn't wanted to tell her this. "There was some blood found at the scene. It was---Saffy's."

Hermione let out a cry at this news.

"Mum," Julie said staving off her own tears to comfort her mother.

"They put a trace on the area for spells," Ethan continued, unable to look at his mother or sister. "Dad says he's going to bring her home tonight."

"Grandpa can do it," Katie said loyally. "I know he can."

"That's the spirit Katie," Ethan said with a tired smile.

Luna gave her husband a hug. "I can't imagine what Sean's parents are going through. And the O'Learys..."

"No parent should have to go through that," Ron said feeling helpless. "Luna, she was just here this morning."

"I know," Luna felt tears well up in her eyes.

At St. Mungos, Gabriel was sitting right outside the door to Alexa's room. Seamus had used his mobile to call the O'Learys, who were currently on their way there.

"She's going to be okay," Gabriel said. "Right, Dad? I mean, these people can help her?"

"I hope so son," Seamus said. "Unfortunately, we don't know what sort of curse that guy hit her with."

"He didn't say anything when he pointed his wand at her," Gabriel said.

Seamus nodded thoughtfully. "They've got a good team of healers here." he said. "I'm sure they'll figure it out."

"I can't lose her," Gabriel choked out. "I can't."

"She knows you love her," Seamus said comfortingly. "That will help her pull through."

Gabriel didn't know if that would be enough. He knew nothing about magical medicine and there wasn't anything he could do to help her.

"Come on," Seamus said. "Let's see if they'll let us in there."

The receptionist at the front desk looked up expectantly when Seamus and Gabriel approached her. "Can I help you?"

"We'd like an update on Alexa O'Leary," Seamus said. "And to see her, if possible."

The receptionist consulted her charts. "I'm sorry. That's not possible. The healers are still examining her."

Gabriel sighed. "Damn it."

Seamus put his hand on his son's shoulder. "You'll get to see her soon."

Gabriel shook his head and began pacing. "What am I supposed to say to her parents?" he asked.

"You tell them that Alexa was brave and tried to protect her best friend," Seamus said thoughtfully. "You tell them that Alexa is strong and that she is going to pull through this."

Gabriel nodded wordlessly.

As luck would have it, RJ and Andrew were at St. Mungos that day. RJ had fallen off his broom during a pickup game of Quidditch with Andrew, Jason and some of their old Hogwarts friends. RJ had taken a tumble from his broom and had sprained his ankle in the fall. After receiving a few healing spells from a medi witch, he was good as new. Andrew laughed at his friend as they approached the front desk to check out. "You were showing off, RJ. As usual..."

"Yeah whatever," RJ slugged his arm. "At least I can do the Wronski Feint."

"Is that what you call that move you were doing?" Andrew chuckled.

"I'd like to see you do it," RJ said indignantly.

Andrew opened his mouth to reply when he saw Seamus Finnegan and Gabriel Boyd in the waiting area off to the side. "RJ, look."

RJ turned. "What are they doing here?" he wondered. "Come on mate."

Gabriel saw the two boys approaching and got to his feet. He figured that Mr. and Mrs. Weasley had told them what had happened. "We--uh, we don't know anything yet. She's back there and they won't tell us anything."

"Don't know anything about what?" RJ asked. "Wait-- did something happen to Lexie?"

Gabriel stared at him. "You don't know?"

"About WHAT?" RJ asked impatiently.

"We were in Brighton," Gabriel told him. "Lexie, Saffy and me. This man came out on nowhere. He killed Sean. Lexie was hit with some sort of curse and Saffy was taken."

"What?" Andrew pushed RJ aside. "Saffron's been kidnapped?"

Gabriel nodded. "It all went so fast..."

RJ stared at him. "Did they find out what curse?"

Seamus shook his head. "We haven't heard and Gabriel wouldn't have known---"

"Do they know anything about Saffy yet?" Andrew interrupted.

Seamus shook his head and told Andrew and RJ everything they knew up to this point.

Andrew sat down, raking his hands through his hair.

RJ was just as taken aback by this news. He and Saffron had just started to get back the friendship they used to have. And Alexa...she was back there fighting for her life.

"I'm--I'm going to ring my mum in Brighton," RJ said. "I want to see how they're doing."

Gabriel nodded. "I'll keep you posted," he said.

"I'm not going anywhere," RJ told him. "I want to make sure Lexie's okay."

"Thanks," Gabriel offered him a small smile. "I'm sure that means a lot to her."

"You can use my phone if you like," Seamus said producing his mobile. "I'm sure your parents would be glad to hear from you, RJ."

"Thanks," RJ said gratefully.

Alexa's parents arrived just as RJ was stepping outside to use the phone.

Karen O'Leary hurried toward Seamus and Gabriel. "Where's my daughter?"

"Mrs. O'Leary," Gabriel stood up. "I'm so sorry... I would have done anything to protect her--"

Karen nodded and held up her hand. "One of those wizard police escorted us here and he told us what had happened."

"We haven't heard anything," Seamus said. "But we're not immediate family so they probably wouldn't have told us anything."

"They're going to tell me," Patrick O'Leary said putting his arm around his wife.

"Will you please let me know?" Gabriel pleaded.

"Of course," Karen promised, hurrying after her husband.

Gabriel wanted to follow them but Seamus put a hand on his shoulder. "Let them go, son."

Gabriel nodded and sank down on the sofa. He hated not knowing what was going on. It reminded him too much of that time he'd spent in the waiting room for news about his mother.

Andrew couldn't sit anymore. He stood up and walked over to the window looking down at the garden down below. What in the world had happened to Saffron?

He turned back around. "You have to tell me more," he said to Gabriel. "Please, mate..."

"She and Sean had a fight last night," Gabriel told him. "Alexa and I were taking her to the boardwalk to get her mind off of her problems. We were just inside the shop for a minute. When we came outside, all hell broke loose."

"What did this other guy look like?" Andrew asked. "He tried to kill Saffron?"

"He was an old man," Gabriel said shaking his head. "Dad said it could have been a disguise. Probably was. He shouted that killing spell at Saffron but Sean stepped in front of her. He---he saved her life."

Andrew nodded. He would have done the same thing.

Andrew sighed and put his head in his hands. Saffron had to be okay.

In a small room miles away from St. Mungos, Saffron awoke feeling excruciating pain at the back of her head. "Mum?" she asked weakly.

She struggled to sit up, wondering why her bed felt so hard. "Mum?" she asked again.

Saffron rubbed the back of her head and gasped when she pulled her hand back and saw there was blood. "Mum! Dad!"

"They aren't here, love." a strange, male voice said.

"Who's there?" Saffron asked.

The man chuckled. "Don't worry about that."

Saffron winced as she struggled to get to her feet. She was alone in this room. "I don't know who you are, but I'm hurt. I need help."

"You'll be fine," the voice said calmly. "It's nothing but a simple wound."

"Where am I?" Saffron asked.

"You don't need to know that," the voice replied.

"Look, my mother is Minister for Magic," Saffron said angrily. "And my father is Harry Potter. They're going to find me and---"

"WHICH IS PRECISELY WHY YOU ARE HERE!" the voice boomed, startling Saffron. A few moments ago, he'd sounded calm and patient.

Saffron shrank back against the wall. "What does me being here have to do with my parents?" she dared to ask.

"There's some ointment on the desk," the voice said, not answering her question. "It should help the cut on your head."

"Why should I take anything from you?" Saffron demanded. "Or believe anything you say? For all I know, it'll kill me."

"You're too valuable to me," the voice replied. "You took a nasty fall earlier."

Saffron was starting to get pissed off. "What the hell did you do to me?" she snapped.

The man leaned back in his chair and smiled as he watched the fiery brunette. He hadn't meant to kidnap her. He'd meant to kill her, but that Muggle boy had gotten in the way. Still, this would work. It made him think of an even better idea. He only wished he could see Potter and his wife scramble around looking for their precious daughter.

Saffron carefully got to her feet, using the wall for support.

Tears welled up in her eyes as she remembered what had happened to Sean.

"Why did you have to do this?" she asked. "Why'd you have to hurt Sean?"

"Collateral damage," the voice said dismissively. "Your friend, Alexa, was it? That was kind of fun, actually."

Saffron hit the wall angrily. "Why don't you show yourself, you bloody coward?"

There was no response. Saffron sank back against the ball and slid to the floor. Sean was dead because of her. And Alexa...what had happened to her? She and Gabe had to be okay. They had to be.

Her head was still pounding, and she wondered if perhaps the ointment was okay to use after all.

She shakily stood up and walked over to the desk.

"It's in the bowl," the voice told her.

"I can see," Saffron grumbled.

"You should appreciate what I do for you," the voice said coldly.

Saffron rolled her eyes. "Taking me away from my family and friends? Killing my boyfriend? Thank you so much!"

The walls suddenly shook. "I WILL NOT TOLERATE THAT!"

Saffron jumped back. She didn't want to antagonize this psychopath. "Look, I just want to go home. If you've taken me for money---"

"I don't want money," the voice said. "I want revenge."

"Revenge?" Saffron asked. "For what?"

The man was silent for several long moments. "You'll see in time."

"C-can I call my parents?" Saffron asked. "Just so they'll know I'm okay?"

"I'll be in touch with them soon enough," the man said.

Saffron wiped at her eyes. Her parents would look for her. They'd find her and bring her home.

"Don't try to use magic in there," the voice said. "It's useless. Besides, you don't have your wand."

There were no windows in the room, either. The only escape was the door and Saffron knew it was locked and warded.

"Don't worry," he said ominously. "You're not going to be alone."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Saffron asked.

"Use the ointment," the voice said. "I'll bring you dinner later. Get comfortable, Miss Potter."

"How am I supposed to get comfortable in here?" Saffron snapped.

"Good evening," he said with a slight laugh. "You are going to be fun."

Saffron closed her eyes for a moment. She had to try and find a way out of here- without magic.

It was nearly two in the morning when Harry arrived back at the beach house. He'd spent hours at the Ministry trying to find out something that would help him find his daughter. To make matters worse, Dolohov had suddenly disappeared. That only confirmed what Harry already knew. Dolohov had his daughter.

Hermione was waiting up and pacing around the sitting room when he appeared. "Harry?" she came towards him anxiously.

Harry only shook his head. He hadn't wanted to face her. He'd promised he'd bring Saffron home and he'd failed.

Hermione's face crumpled. "My baby," she said as Harry caught her.

"I'm sorry," Harry said holding her tightly. "I'm so sorry, Hermione."

"We have to find her," Hermione sobbed.

"We will," Harry promised. He led his wife over to the sofa and sat down with her.

Hermione wiped at her eyes. "Where's Ethan?"

"He stayed behind," Harry said. "I'm going back in a couple of hours. I just wanted to check on you and see how you were holding up."

Hermione shook her head. "I'm coming with you."

Harry wanted to argue but he knew it was no use.

"The media knows now," Harry said quietly. "Lupin thinks we should make a statement."

Hermione nodded. "It might help us find her."

"Did you call your mother?" Harry asked her. "And Greta?"

"I couldn't tell my mother over the phone," Hermione said quietly.

Harry nodded in understanding. "We are going to find her."

"We have to," Hermione said. "We have to find her."

"Dolohov," Harry said bitterly. "I'm going to kill him, Hermione. If he's hurt her---"

"I'll have him in Azkaban so fast his head will spin," Hermione said, suddenly furious.

"Mum?" Julie asked coming downstairs to check on her mother. She was happy to see her father, but dismayed to see that he was alone. "Any news?"

Hermione shook her head.

“I couldn't sleep," Julie said walking over and giving her father a hug.

Harry held his oldest daughter tightly. "I'm not going to be able to do anything until we find her."

"She knows how to take care of herself," Julie said. "And she knows that we will do everything we can to find her and bring her home."

Harry nodded. "You're right, Jules."

"She was just here this morning," Hermione said looking up at them. "My baby was just here this morning and now, I don't know where she is, or if she's hurt, or who has her. I can't stand this!"

"Come here," Harry pulled his wife to him. "We'll find her, Hermione. We'll make sure she's okay. I promise."

Hermione sobbed into his shoulder.

"Mum," Julie wrapped her arms around her mother's waist.

Harry knew he'd promised Lupin and Neville he'd take a break, but he wanted to get back to the investigation. He didn't know how much time they had.

"I need to back," Harry said reluctantly pulling away from his wife.

"WE need to go back," Hermione corrected him. "I'm going to help find her, Harry."

"Right," Harry nodded. "Jules--"

"Nick and I will stay here," Julie said wiping at her eyes. "Please keep us posted, Dad."

"I will sweetheart," Harry promised.

"Be careful," Julie told him.

"You too," Hermione hugged her tightly.

"I love you, Mum," Julie said softly.

"I love you too, my sweet girl," Hermione didn't want to let her go.

Julie gave her mother's hand a squeeze. "Go and bring her home."

Harry and Hermione arrived at the Ministry and headed straight for the Aurors department. "Anything?" Harry asked his son tersely.

Ethan nodded. "We received a letter and a photograph a few moments ago."

He handed it over to his father.

"Merlin," Harry said, going pale. "That bastard...."

Hermione held out her hand. "Let me see it."

It was a Muggle photograph of their daughter lying on a bed, unconscious. There was a letter tacked to the photograph that had a two word sentence. "Game on."

"Game on?" Hermione asked. "GAME ON?"

"This is a game to that sick son-of-a-bitch," Ethan said angrily.

"Did you see who dropped it off?" Harry demanded. "How did it arrive?"

"No," Ethan said grimly. "If I had, I'd have beaten the shite out of them."

"She's still alive, right?" Hermione asked. "Please..."

"She has to be," Ethan said. "Right Dad? Saffy has to be okay?"

Harry honestly didn't have the answer. He wanted and needed to believe that his daughter was still alive. But, time was working against them. Dolohov was as unpredictable as he was psychotic.

"Let's go see Lupin," Harry said. "And we still have to give a statement to the press."

"Are you up for that, Mum?" Ethan asked. His mother was still clutching the photograph of Saffron.

"I have to be," Hermione said quietly.

"I'm going to get Maddie in on this too," Ethan said. "Maybe she can see something that could help us."

"Good idea son," Harry said.

"I'd do anything for the brat," Ethan said his voice catching. "You know that, Dad."

"I know," Harry said. "She knows that too, Ethan."

Ethan hoped so because it was partly his fault that his sister had been kidnapped. Ethan couldn't change what had happened, but he swore he would do everything in his power to bring his baby sister home.

*** *** ***

Neither Harry nor Hermione had slept last night. They'd stayed at Auror headquarters trying to determine any clues from the photograph and letter. Hermione cried every time she looked at her daughter lying helpless like that. She knew she wouldn't rest until their little girl was home.

In just a few minutes, she was scheduled to make an official statement to the press about Saffron's kidnapping. She didn't know if the appeal would convince Dolohov to let Saffron go, but she had to try. Samuel was trying to brief the Potters on how it would go, but Hermione was barely listening.

"Julie, you and Ethan should stand to your mother's left," Samuel was saying. "You're more than welcome to speak, but---"

"They can talk if they want to," Hermione interrupted. "Anything that might help bring Saffy home."

"Of course," Samuel said hastily. "I'm sorry, Hermione."

Hermione nodded as she rubbed at her eyes. "I should go freshen up."

"I'll come with you," Julie said taking her mother's hand.

Harry watched his wife and daughter go.

"Remember," Neville warned Harry and Ethan. "You cannot implicate Dolohov. We have no evidence..."

"I know that," Harry snapped.

"Harry," Neville said shooting him a warning look.

"I know what to say," Harry said testily. "And I know what not to say."

"We all do," Ethan said quietly.

"And after this, I really do think you should go home and get some rest," Neville said. "All of you."

"Rest?" Harry asked glaring at him. "Would you be able to rest if Chiaki, Allie, or Frankie were kidnapped?"

"No," Neville admitted.

"He's only trying to help," Ethan said to his father.

Harry sighed. "I know. I'm sorry... this just has me on edge. I can't stand the thought of my baby girl out there with that psycho."

"I know," Neville said. "Harry, you know that I love Saffron like she was one of my own. We all will do whatever we can to bring her home. But, you are no good to her or this investigation if you're walking around like a zombie."

"I can't guarantee I'll rest," Harry said. "But I'll try."

"Thank you," Neville said as Hermione and Julie came back into the room.

"We're ready," Julie said softly.

Samuel nodded. "Okay, I'll just go and make an opening statement to the media."

Harry reached for his wife's hand. "We'll do this sweetheart, and we'll get her back."

Hermione nodded hoping more than anything that this was true.

"Minister Potter," Samuel called out. Harry gave Hermione's hand a squeeze before they walked out. Julie and Ethan held hands as they followed their parents.

At least two dozen reporters were waiting with quills and parchment in hand.

Hermione's hands were shaking as she approached the podium. She had given hundreds of speeches over the years, but never like this, under these circumstances.

"I appear before you today not as the Minister," Hermione began. "I'm here today as a mother. Nothing in this world is more important to me than my three children."

"Minister," one reporter called out. "Who do you think could have done this?"

Hermione looked at the reporter. "We don't know at this time. We're looking at all leads and I have confidence in the Auror department that we will find my daughter."

Another reporter began to speak but Samuel held up a hand. "Please hold all questions until after the Minister is done speaking."

"Yesterday afternoon in Brighton, my daughter was kidnapped," Hermione said trying to keep her emotions in check.

Harry had to bite down hard on the inside of his cheek not to stand up and tell everyone who he thought the culprit was.

"I am asking that the person who took her," Hermione said her voice breaking. "Please let her go. She hasn't done anything to you. If you have an issue with my husband or myself, please don't hold it against her."

"Please," Julie added. "She's our sister and we love her very much. We'll do anything to bring her home safely."

"Harry," Hermione said looking at her husband.

Harry nodded. "We're using as many resources as we can to find her. And we'll continue to work around the clock until Saffron's brought safely home."

Samuel stepped in front of them. "The Minister will take questions..."

A flurry of reporters began speaking at the same time. "One at a time, please." Hermione said wearily.

"Your husband has a number of enemies," one of the reporters said. "This could be anyone, really. How do you feel knowing that your daughter was taken because of who you are?"

Hermione bit her lower lip. "Harry and I have always tried to keep our children out of the spotlight, and we can only hope that whoever this person is that took her, will deal with us."

"Yes, but your daughter was taken because of you," the reporter continued. "You might have tried to keep them out of the spotlight, but they are there because of you being the Minister for Magic and your husband being the most famous wizard in the world."

"We won't be made to feel guilty about our status in the media due to who we are," Harry said sharply. "I don't believe it has anything to do with that. I believe this was a personal vendetta."

"Against you, not your daughter," the reporter continued. "And now she's paying for it. Frankly, I'm surprised something like this hasn't happened before. Wait---it did. Your first child was nearly kidnapped shortly after her birth..."

Harry stood up angrily. "I'll have you know--" he began heatedly.

Ethan put a hand on his father's shoulder. "My parents have done everything in their power to protect us. Julie, Saffy and me know who they are and what they've done. We love them unconditionally and I know I speak for both my sisters when I say that we couldn't have asked for better parents."

Hermione managed a tremulous smile as Harry calmed back down and sat beside her.

"Is Nikolai Dolohov a suspect?" a reporter called out.

"We're looking at a number of suspects," Ethan said. "We aren't at liberty to name names at this point."

Hermione squeezed Harry's hand as he tensed up at the name.

"Have you had contact with the kidnappers?" a reporter from Witch Weekly asked. "Has there been a ransom demand?"

"We did receive a note, with a photograph," Hermione said. "But no request for a ransom just yet."

"What did the letter say?" the reporter asked.

"I'm sorry, but we cannot divulge that information," Hermione replied.

"How about the photograph?" a reporter in the back asked.

"It was a picture of our daughter," Hermione said, tears streaming down her cheeks. "She----"

"She appears to be injured," Harry said quietly. "So we can only hope it wasn't serious, or that the person who took her at least tended to her."

Saffron awoke with a start. She heard her father's voice. "Daddy?"

This had all been a dream, hadn't it? She was back in her room in the beach house and her father was waking her up. That's what it was.

She rubbed at her eyes and frowned when she saw that she was still in that same grubby room. Her father's voice was coming from the wireless on the desk.

"We will do whatever it takes to get Saffron back," her father's voice said.

"Daddy?" Saffron pushed herself up. "Daddy!!!"

"If anyone knows anything about her disappearance, I ask that you contact the Ministry immediately," Harry said.

Saffron felt tears well up in her eyes. "Daddy I'm here," she whispered.

"If your daughter could hear this, what would you want to stay to her, Minister?" a reporter asked.

"That we love her," Hermione said, wiping her eyes. "That we hope she's safe, and that we'll find her."

Julie nodded. "We love you, Saffy and we're going to bring you home. We promise."

Saffron nodded. "Please," she whispered. She had spent a good few hours the previous night looking for any way out of the room, including banging on walls, the window and the door.

The Wireless disappeared suddenly and Saffron heard that same familiar voice from last night. "Did you enjoy your wake-up call?"

"Bring it back," Saffron was desperate for any link to her family. "Please give that back to me."

"I think that's enough for now," the voice replied. "Though you missed my favourite part when those mindless reporters nearly had your father. He is so easy to upset..."

Saffron's eyes filled with tears. "Please let me go. I haven't done anything to you."

"I can't do that," the voice replied. "You're too valuable to me, Miss Potter. Saffron Grace...such a pretty name for a pretty girl."

She trembled. "Don't hurt me..."

"You're still alive, aren't you?" the voice replied. "I have big plans for you, Saffron Grace. Don't you worry. You'll not be alone for long."

"What do you mean?" she asked. "What are you going to do?"

"Don't you worry," the voice said. "And you'll find I left you some books. Wouldn't want you to get bored."

"I just want to go home," Saffron said. "I want to see my family and my friends." her eyes filled with tears again as she thought about Sean.

He was dead because of her. All he'd ever done was love her and she couldn't love him back the way he'd deserved. And now, he was dead. He'd died saving her life. She couldn't imagine what his family was going through.

She slumped back against the wall and began to sob harshly.

"There, there," the voice called out. "It'll be okay."

A tray of food appeared before her, but Saffron didn't even notice.

"Eat up," the voice told her.

"Leave me alone," Saffron mumbled.

"Eat," the voice said firmly. "Or you won't get any other food until that's gone."

Saffron wiped at her eyes. She picked up a piece of toast and took a small bite.

"That's a good girl," the voice said.

She hadn't eaten anything since yesterday morning and she was starving. She worried that the food might be poisoned, but she'd used the ointment and it had healed the cut on her head.

Tentatively, she ate the rest of the meal, feeling surprisingly nourished after she finished.

"That's a good girl," the voice said. "Good girl."

Saffron pushed the empty tray towards the door and curled up in the corner of the room.

"Daddy," Saffron whispered. "Please..."

He watched her shiver and held his tongue about Potter not coming to rescue her. That press conference had been a joke. Those reporters had let the Potters off way too easy.

"Don't worry little one," he said softly. "You'll all be together soon."

Back at the Ministry, Hermione hugged Ethan and Julie. "I was so proud of the two of you."

"Thanks Mum," Ethan said. "I hope we maybe got through to the bastard and we can get Saffy back."

"I hope so," Hermione said.

Julie approached her father, who hadn't said much since they'd arrived back in Hermione's office. "Dad?"

"Yeah Jules?" Harry asked.

Julie hugged him. "You handled it really well out there."

"Thanks sweetheart," Harry hugged her back. "That was one of the toughest things I ever had to do."

"For all of us," Julie said. She looked over her shoulder. "I'm really worried about Mum."

"Me too," Harry said. "She doesn't even know how to approach this subject with your grandmother."

"Gran," Julie said softly.

"I don't know what this would do to her," Harry ploughed his hands through his hair.

"She'll have to be told eventually," Julie said thoughtfully.

"Might be better when we have more news," Harry said. "Or when we find her... Elinore doesn't even have to know."

"If you think that's best," Julie said. "I'll go along with whatever you decide."

Harry nodded. "We sent a team of Aurors to watch your house. They'll be there around the clock until we bring Dolohov in."

"There's still no word on where he is?" Julie asked.

Harry shook his head. "He's covering his tracks well."

"Mum, when was the last time you ate?" Ethan asked.

"Yesterday," Hermione replied absently. "Look, I think we should go back upstairs to headquarters."

Ethan shook his head. "We're going to the cafeteria."

"Ethan, I'll grab something later," Hermione said. "I want---"

"You have to eat," Ethan said. "Come on... we'll all go."

Samuel held up his hand. "I've actually arranged something for you. I thought you'd want your privacy so I asked the cafeteria to bring up some things."

"Thank you Samuel," Hermione said. "Thank you so much."

"It's the least I can do," Samuel said holding the door for them.

"You're a Godsend," Hermione embraced him for a moment.

"I wish there was more I could do," Samuel said.

"Thanks Sam," Harry shook his hand.

Samuel nodded. "I'll leave you to it. If you need anything else, please let me know."

"We will," Ethan nodded as they sat down in Hermione's office.

"I'll make you a plate, Mum," Julie offered.

"Thank you sweetheart," Hermione said. "Just a little... I'm not very hungry."

"Blueberry pancakes," Ethan said. "Do you remember how Saf couldn't say 'blueberry'? She used to call them boo berries."

Harry half smiled. "She learned to talk so young. By three I could carry on a full conversation with her."

Julie grinned. "And you thought mum was crazy for reading Shakespeare to her while she was still in the womb."

"It worked for you too," Harry replied.

"All of us," Ethan said pouring himself a glass of juice.

Hermione wiped at her eyes again. "I just can't concentrate on anything but bringing her home."

"Which we'll do," Ethan vowed.

211. Chapter 211

Authors’ note: We are so happy you guys like the new storyline. We’re having fun writing it. There’s still loads more. We hope you enjoy the latest chapter! Please read and review!

There was a knock on the door and Julie stood up to answer it. "Maddie."

"Hi," Maddie said. "I heard the conference and wanted to see how you were all doing."

"We're holding up," Julie said. "We finally convinced Mum to eat something."

"That's good," Maddie sat down next to her husband. "I've been hoping for a vision of some kind involving Saffy, but I haven't had anything yet."

"Thanks for trying," Ethan said giving her a peck on the cheek.

"I'd do anything to help," Maddie said.

"We know that," Ethan said.

"A few months ago, around Easter, I did have a strange vision," Maddie told him. "It was of a man- and he was saying 'Mine...'. I put it in a Pensieve, and I've been looking at it all morning, but I can't get any details. It's very foggy and non descript."

Ethan looked at his wife. "Do you think---?"

"I'm not sure," Maddie said. "And I really just can't make anything out."

"It was probably something else," Ethan said with a sigh. "This is so damn frustrating."

Maddie nodded. "I'm sorry. I'll keep trying..."

"We appreciate it," Harry said to his daughter-in-law.

"I just wish there was something more I could do," Maddie said. "I keep trying to reach out to Saffron in my head."

"She always thought of you as a sister," Hermione said softly.

Maddie smiled. "She was one of the few people at Hogwarts that was nice to me."

Harry nodded. "That's my girl."

"Saffy loves you," Ethan told his wife.

Maddie looked at Ethan. "She loves you, too. I remember when I was eight and you had just finished up your first year at Hogwarts. She was three years old and she was so excited."

Maddie thought back to that day so many years ago. She and RJ had accompanied her parents to pick up her sisters from Hogwarts. They were waiting on the platform for the train. Saffron was getting antsy as she sat on Greta's lap waiting for her big brother.

***

"Where's Ethan?" Saffron asked looking at her nanny.

Greta chuckled. "He'll be here any minute darling."

Maddie sat down beside Saffron and Greta. "I can't wait to see Drew and Darla. We're going to have a big dinner for them and everything!"

"A big dinner?" Saffron asked.

"A big dinner," Maddie said excitedly. "I helped Mummy make it and everything!"

"It sounds yummy," Saffron said. "Daddy made sketti, cause Mummy can't cook."

"That's Ethan's favourite," Maddie remembered fondly.

RJ grabbed the bear from Saffron's hand and threw it down the platform.

"RJ!" Saffron cried out. "No!"

RJ laughed. "The train will run over it!"

"Ronald Bilius Weasley Junior," Ron called out. "You apologise to Saffron right this minute."

"No," RJ crossed his arms.

"I'll get it," Maddie offered running down the platform.

"RJ, do you want to sit up in your room while we have that dinner for your sisters?" Luna asked.

"No," RJ sulked.

"Apologise to Saffron," Ron said firmly.

"Sorry," RJ muttered.

Maddie wiped off a smudge of dirt from the stuffed animal before she handed it back to Saffron. "Good as new."

"Thank you Maddie," Saffron hugged the bear protectively to her and glared at RJ.

"It's no problem," Maddie said sitting back down. "RJ doesn't mean to be like that. He didn't really want to come to the train station with us."

"Why?" Saffron asked.

"He wanted to go flying with Jon," Maddie whispered. "But Jon had a lesson to give so he couldn't go."

"RJ's a big baby," Saffron whispered back.

Maddie grinned. "Yes, he is."

"I think I hear the train," Greta said standing up with Saffron.

Saffron squealed. "Ethan!" She hadn't seen her big brother since Christmas and she couldn't wait to give him a hug.

"You're just going to have to wait a few more minutes," Harry swept her up.

Saffron frowned. She didn't like to wait.

Students began to file out of the train and Ron scanned the crowd for his twin daughters. He caught sight of one of them---snogging a boy. "DARLA WEASLEY!"

"Daddy!" Darla jumped away.

Ron put his hand on the boy's shoulder. "And who are you?"

"Um, well, I'm," the boy stammered.

"DADDY!" Darla turned red. "We were just saying goodbye!"

"Then say goodbye," Ron said ominously. "VERBALLY."

"Bye, Connor," Darla muttered. "I'll write to you."

"I'm sure Connor will be far too busy to write back," Ron said clapping the nervous boy on the back.

"Daddy," Darla said through clenched teeth.

"Bye, Darla," Connor said making a hasty retreat.

"You were so mean to him," Darla put her hands on her hips.

"Darla, you are 16 years old and I don't think that you should be---" Ron started to argue.

"We're so glad to have you home," Luna interjected, giving her daughter a hug. "Where's Drew?"

"Saying goodbye," Darla retorted.

Maddie ran over and gave her sister a hug. "Hiya, Darla!"

"Hey Mad Dog," Darla hugged her tightly. "I missed you!"

"I missed you, too!" Maddie exclaimed.

"Where's Ethan?" Saffron asked looking all over for him. "Daddy, do you see him?"

"I'm sure he'll be coming any second now, sweetheart." Harry said.

"There he is," Greta spotted him.

Ethan had just walked off the platform with his friends in tow. Saffron practically jumped out of Harry's arms and ran toward her brother.

"Saffy!" Harry called, running after her. "Saffron Grace!"

"ETHAN!" Saffron screamed, hurling herself at her brother.

"Saffy, where did you come from?" Ethan asked, trying to push her away. He didn't want his friends to see him hugging his baby sister.

"Over there," Saffron refused to let go. "Ethan I missed you a whole lot!"

"Is that your girlfriend?" Justin teased.

"No, it's my baby sister," Ethan grumbled. "Dad! Can you get her, please?"

"Ethan," Harry chuckled. "She's just happy to see you."

"Daddy and me made sketti for you," Saffron said excitedly. "And you can play with me, too. Greta gave me new dolls!"

"I'm not playing with dolls," Ethan muttered, turning red as Justin guffawed.

"I'll see you later, mate," Justin said shaking his head. "Have fun with your dolls."

Ethan glared at him as Saffron continued to tug at his jumper.

"It's good to have you home, son," Harry said, mussing Ethan's hair.

"Thanks Dad," Ethan said. "Saffy-- Ow!"

Saffron held up her hands. "Pick me up, Ethan!"

"No way!" Ethan said in embarrassment.

Maddie came up behind them. "Saffy, you dropped your bear again."

Saffron reached with one hand while her other held on fast to Ethan's jumper. "Thanks Maddie!"

"Hi, Ethan," Maddie said softly.

Ethan's face turned an even brighter shade of red. "Hi," he mumbled.

"Come on, Saffy," Maddie said taking the little girl's hand. "Drew and Darla have a new owl. Do you want to see it?"

"A new owl?" Saffron's attention was momentarily diverted.

"Yeah, he's all white," Maddie said. "He's beautiful."

"Can I go, Daddy?" Saffron asked.

"Sure," Harry replied. "We'll be right behind you."

Saffron took Maddie's hand and the two girls hurried away.

"Dad," Ethan said holding up his hand. "Don't say it."

Harry shook his head. "Do I have to?"

"You were 11 a long time ago," Ethan replied. "Would you have been thrilled if your baby sister would have come running at you talking about dolls in front of your friends?"

"I suppose not," Harry said. "But she worships you, Ethan."

"I know," Ethan grumbled. "I'll make it up to her."

"You're a good boy," Harry said. "And your mum can't wait to see you. She had to work but she'll be home for dinner."

"After dinner, can we practice flying?" Ethan asked. It was no secret that he wanted to make the house team next year.

"Of course we can," Harry nodded. "In fact, I was just at Quality Quidditch Supplies with Saffy and we bought--"

"Bought what?" Ethan asked excitedly.

“The new Twister Air 6000," Harry said with a grin.

Ethan gaped at him. "Dad? Are you serious?"

"You can thank your sister," Harry nodded his head. "Saffy's the one who convinced me to get it for you."

"She did?" Ethan asked.

Harry nodded again.

Ethan set his bag down and walked over to where his sister was standing with Maddie.

"Come here, Brat," Ethan said kneeling down in front of her.

Saffron bolted into her brother's arms.

"I missed you too," Ethan said hugging her.

Saffron giggled. "I knew you would."

"You did," Ethan said tugging at one of her ponytails. "Did you?"

"Uh huh," Saffron giggled. "And Mummy helped me write you letters."

"I know," Ethan said with a grin. "Thanks for writing to me."

Maddie watched this exchange and couldn't help smiling at how Saffron was beaming up at her big brother.

"You know what?" Ethan asked. "Dad just told me about my new broom. I was wondering if you knew of anyone who might want to go for a ride on it?"

"ME!" Saffron jumped up and down. "I want to go!"

"We can't tell Mum," Ethan said. "She'd freak."

"Secret," Saffron nodded.

"Come on," Ethan said picking her up. "Let's go home."

***

"I remember that," Maddie said fondly. "I don't think I'd ever seen her so excited."

"We spent three hours that night on the broom," Ethan remembered.

"She was born on a broom," Harry said.

Hermione gave a half-hearted smile. "She loves to fly. I was always afraid that she'd get hurt but she never had any fear."

Harry squeezed his wife's hand. "She's a brave girl, Hermione."

"She is," Hermione agreed.

"We'll get her back," Harry said. "And she'll be okay."

"Right," Julie nodded.

"I want that more than anything," Hermione said.

Harry looked at his watch. "Ethan, we should get back to the office and see if anything new has come up."

"And after that, you're getting some sleep," Ethan said.

"Ethan--" Harry began.

"Ethan's right," Julie said. "Just for a couple of hours."

"We'll see," Harry said,

He's not going to listen to me, but he really does need to get some sleep.

Maddie turned and looked at her husband. "What was that?"

Ethan raised an eyebrow. "I didn't say anything."

"But--" Maddie's eyebrows knit together. "I just heard you..."

"I didn't say anything, Mads," Ethan said pushing back in his chair. "I'll catch up with you later. I'm going to get back to work."

I hope there's some good news. I can't take anything bad. I just want Saffron home.

Maddie had been looking at Hermione when she heard her mother in law's voice. But, Hermione hadn't said anything, had she?

Maddie shook her head. Perhaps she was the one who needed to kip.

Harry stood up and offering his hand to his wife. She did look knackered. She definitely needed to get some sleep, but he wasn't about to broach the subject with her.

"I'm going to owl some of the other Ministers," Hermione said tiredly. "See if they'll help."

"That's a great idea," Harry said putting his arm around her.

"I just... I have to do something." Hermione rubbed her eyes.

"I know," Harry said. "I've never felt more useless in my life."

Hermione's eyes filled with tears again. "I just can't stand this. I can't stand the thought of my baby out there alone with some madman."

Harry pulled her to him. "Hey. Sweetheart, I know."

Hermione clung to him. "How could we have let this happen to her?"

"It's my fault," Harry said softly. "You heard that reporter today. There's a queue of people who hate me."

"It's not your fault," Hermione looked up at him. "We should never have let her go into town alone that day.”

"I'm sorry," Harry said breaking down. "If anything happens to her--"

Now it was Hermione's turn to comfort him.

"Hermione," Harry said burying his face in her shoulder.

Ethan ushered his wife and sister out of the room. "We should give them a few minutes," he said. In truth, Ethan couldn't handle seeing his father break down that way.

"I don't know what to do," Harry admitted. "He could have taken her anywhere."

"I know," Hermione said. "That's what's hardest- not knowing where to start."

Harry sank down on one of the couches, putting his head in his hands. "I don't want to sleep, Hermione. I don't want to rest. I can't. Not until she's home."

"Me either," Hermione sat down behind her desk.

"Everyone keeps telling us that we need to rest," Harry said wiping at his eyes.

"I don't know what good it would do," Hermione said, writing quickly.

"I need to go back to headquarters," Harry said.

Hermione nodded. "Just find her..."

"I will," Harry said. "Whatever it takes."

"I love you," Hermione said quietly.

"I love you too," Harry said meeting her eyes.

Hermione gave him a small smile before returning to her letters.

Harry closed the door behind him. He wasn't going to break down like that again. His daughter needed him to be strong. He was going to have to focus his attention on getting her back and then he'd worry about making that sick bastard pay.

*** *** ***

Due to Saffron's disappearance, Sean's death and Alexa lying in a coma, the Brighton visit had been cut short that year. Nick and Julie spent most of their time at home or at the Minister's mansion, never letting their daughters out of their sight.

Greta was helping out as best she could, but she was grief stricken over Saffron's disappearance.

They only travelled by Floo these days as well. Katie was currently over at Jon and Allison's playing with Caroline, and Ashley was sitting at the window, her sketchpad in her lap.

It was opened to a blank page, but Ashley couldn't draw anything. She was far too preoccupied with her aunt being missing.

"Ashley Beth," Nick called out to her. "Could you come into the kitchen?"

"Just a minute," Ashley called back, closing her sketchbook and putting it aside.

She walked into the kitchen and was surprised to see Brittany, Zander and Zander's mother in the kitchen.

Brittany walked over to her friend immediately and gave her a hug.

"What are you guys doing here?" Ashley asked.

"Your mum asked us to come over and keep you company," Zander also gave her a hug.

"Mrs. Murray was kind enough to bring them by," Nick said.

"We're so sorry to hear about Saffron," Mrs. Murray said to him. "If there's anything at all we can do to help, let us know."

"We will," Nick said shaking her hand. "Thank you for letting them come over."

"I'll be back later for you both," Mrs. Murray said. "It's lovely to see you, Ashley."

"You too, Mrs. Murray," Ashley said softly.

"We've been so worried," Brittany squeezed her hand.

"We wanted to come sooner," Zander told her.

"Thanks," Ashley said softly. "We've been spending a lot of time with my grandparents."

"I can't imagine what this has been like for you," Brittany said. "Do you want to talk about it?"

Ashley shrugged. "There's not a whole lot to talk about. We don't know anything yet."

"Why don't we go and sit down?" Brittany suggested.

Despite what was going on, Ashley was extremely glad to see her friends.

They settled down in the sitting room and at first Zander and Brittany didn't really know what to say.

"So, what have you been doing?" Ashley asked.

"I've been flying a lot," Zander told her. "Trying to get in some practise so I can try out for the house team."

"That's great, Zander," Ashley said. "I'm sure you'll make the team."

Zander turned red. "I've also been practising piano a lot."

"He's started to write some of his own stuff," Brittany told Ashley.

"Really?" Ashley asked. "Want me to have my dad take a look at it?"

Zander shook his head. "Not now, Ash. Not with everything that's going on."

"Okay," she said. "If you ever want him to, I'm sure he'd be glad to check it out."

Zander smiled. "Thanks."

"How about you?" Ashley asked Brittany.

"Just relaxing," Brittany said. "Enjoying summer hols."

"She's happy because my aunt took her to Harrods’s yesterday," Zander told Ashley. "I didn't even know it was possible to buy that many clothes. My uncle is going to freak out when he gets the credit card bill."

Brittany shrugged. "A girl has to look good, Zander."

"You bought the same jumper in what seven different colours?" Zander asked, shaking his head.

Brittany glared at him. "Well I never know what I want to wear, and now I have one in every shade!"

"Yellow, blue, red," Zander rolled his eyes.

"No," Brittany corrected. "Cornflower, periwinkle, taupe, lavender, ivory, cobalt, and magenta. Honestly, you know nothing, Zander."

At the look on Zander's face, Ashley had to giggle.

"Those aren't colours," Zander said. "Brit---"

"Actually they are," Ashley said. "I have them all in paints."

"See?" Brittany said smugly.

"Thanks," Zander said jokingly.

"We'll have to educate him," Brittany said smiling at Ashley.

"Sounds good to me," Ashley nodded.

Zander shook his head and held up his hands. "That's okay. I get enough grief as it is for having two girls for my friends."

"You have the two COOLEST girls as your friends," Brittany corrected.

"One of them is," Zander said looking pointedly at Ashley.

"Gee thanks," Brittany huffed.

"We are a lot better than Sam," Ashley said. "Right, Zander?"

"Anyone's better than Sam," Zander replied.

"That's for sure," Brittany said.

"So did you enjoy your time in Brighton while you were there?" Zander asked.

Ashley shrugged and looked at her best friends. She hadn't even told her parents about this. "Saffy and Alexa asked me if I wanted to go with them that morning. I just keep wondering if I would have been able to do something if I'd been there. But, I probably would have been too scared to move."

Both her friends gaped at her. "You almost went?" Brittany asked.

Ashley nodded. "But I promised that I'd help Katie and Caroline with a sand castle. I just---I feel glad that I wasn't there and then I feel guilty for feeling that way."

"You shouldn't," Zander said. "Ash--"

Ashley wiped at her eyes. "I'm a terrible person."

"You are not," Zander put an arm around her. "You're far from a terrible person, Ash."

"Absolutely not," Brittany said patting her friend's shoulder. "Anyone would feel that way. And I bet Saffy is really happy that you weren't there."

Ashley sniffled. "I just hope she's okay."

"Your grandpa and uncle are going to find her," Zander said. "I know they will."

"I hope so," Ashley said. "I hope they do soon."

"They will," Brittany said.

"I'm really glad you guys came over," Ashley said softly.

"Us too," Brittany said. "We're here for you, Ash. Whenever you need us."

"Thanks," Ashley began to cry again.

Zander had never really known what to do when girls cried, but he did the only thing he could think of at the moment. He hugged Ashley.

"It'll be okay," he said.

Brittany sat back. It was so obvious her cousin fancied Ashley.

Zander patted Ashley's back awkwardly.

"I'm sorry," she apologised.

"It's okay," Zander said.

"Everyone's just so worried all the time," Ashley said.

"Is there anything we can do?" Brittany offered.

Ashley shook her head. "Just you guys being here makes things a little better."

"Maybe we should do something to take your mind off of it," Brittany said thoughtfully. "Zander, you could play something for us."

"I don't know," Zander said.

"I'd like that," Ashley said wiping at her eyes.

"Do you think your dad would mind?" Zander asked.

"I can ask him, but I don't think he'd mind," Ashley said standing up. "Come on."

Brittany and Zander followed her out into the kitchen. "Hey Dad?" Ashley asked. "Is it okay if Zander uses your piano?"

Nick looked up from the paper. "Sure. Ashley told me you were quite the musician, Zander."

"Yes sir," Zander said.

"No need to be formal," Nick said pushing back from his chair. "You can call me Nick and I'd love to hear you play."

"You would?" Zander squeaked.

"Sure," Nick said putting his arm around his daughter.

Zander was terrified of the prospect of playing in front of Nick Malfoy but he nodded after a reassuring look from Ashley.

"Let's head on down to the studio," Nick said.

"Um... so what'll it be?" Zander asked once they were inside and he was seated at the baby grand piano.

"Play that one you've been working on," Brittany urged.

"Okay," Zander said nervously. He touched his fingers to the keys and began to play.

Brittany watched Nick and Ashley as her cousin began to play. Nick's expression was unreadable, but Ashley was beaming at him.

Ashley still couldn't believe how enormously talented her best friend was.

"It's still a work in progress," Zander told them when he finished. "I'm just starting to write my own things."

"You wrote that?" Nick's eyebrows shot up.

"Yes, sir," Zander replied. "It's a work in progress, really."

"It's quite good," Nick replied.

Zander's jaw dropped. "Really?"

Nick nodded. "I'm quite impressed, actually. I was at least fifteen before I began writing my own music."

"Thank you," Zander said smiling at him.

Ashley sat down on the bench beside her best friend. "I knew he'd like it. That was really nice, Zander. Do you have a name for it?"

"Um," Zander turned red again.

"What?" Ashley asked.

"Tell her, Zander." Brittany said.

"Um, well it doesn't really have a title," Zander lied.

"Yes it does," Brittany sang.

"Britt," Zander glared at her. "No it doesn't."

Brittany wouldn't have known if she hadn't peeked at his notebook. The very notebook he carried every single place he went.

"I promise I won't laugh," Ashley told him.

"Midnight Forest," Zander admitted in a voice barely above a whisper.

Ashley grinned at him. "I think it's perfect."

"You plan on keeping it an instrumental?" Nick asked. "Or do you have lyrics?"

"I don't have lyrics," Zander said.

"If you come up with some, I'd love to hear them," Nick said. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go and pick up Katie. Ash, Greta and your mum are upstairs if you need anything."

"Okay," Ashley nodded. "Thanks Daddy."

"Thanks, Mr. Malfoy," Zander said. "For taking the time to listen to my song."

"Anytime," Nick smiled at him. "I'd like to hear more when you're up to it."

Zander nodded. Once the three of them were alone again, Ashley nudged her friend.

"I thought it was perfect," Ashley told him.

"I still have a few things I need to fix," Zander said.

"You're like me with my artwork," Ashley said. "I always think there's something else I can do even when everyone else thinks I'm finished."

"I wish I could draw like you," Brittany said wistfully.

"You're great at shopping, Brit," Zander told his cousin with a grin.

"Great," Brittany replied. "That's true, though."

"I'd love to play the piano," Ashley said running her hands over the keys. She pressed down on one and winced at the sound. "Or maybe not..."

"I thought you said you used to play," Brittany said.

"Ages ago," Ashley said. "And I wasn't very good."

"What about your sister?" Brittany asked.

"She's a dancer," Ashley said. "And she's a good singer. But she's not a musician."

"I didn't know she could sing," Zander said.

Ashley laughed. "She loves anything that puts her in the spotlight. When my dad used to tour, sometimes he'd bring us up on stage. I was terrified, but Katie loved it."

"She's a riot," Brittany stretched on the sofa.

"She sounds an awful lot like you," Zander commented.

Ashley laughed. "I love my sister, but she's not that much like Britt."

"Ashley," Greta called out from upstairs. "Can you come up here for a moment?"

Ashley excused herself and left Brittany and Zander alone in the studio.

"You do have words to that song, Zander," Brittany reminded him. "I saw them in your notebook."

"Why are you looking in there," Zander snapped at her. "It's private!"

"You left it out," Brittany argued. "And it was wide open."

"You can't ever say anything," Zander said. "Promise me."

"I won't," Brittany promised. "You know, I think it's sweet. A boy writing a song for a girl..."

Zander turned an even brighter shade of red. "It's only because she understands art like I do."

Brittany looked at him. "Yeah, that's it. If that's all it was, you'd have told her what you'd really named that song."

"Shut up," Zander muttered.

"Okay," Brittany said. "I promise not to say anything."

Zander was doubtful, but he nodded. "Thanks."

"For what it's worth, I think you two would make a cute couple," Brittany said thoughtfully.

Zander rolled his eyes. "Ash is my FRIEND," he said. "I don't want a girlfriend!"

The door to the studio opened and Brittany bit back her response.

"There's biscuits and juice upstairs if you want," Ashley said joining them again.

"Sounds good," Zander said eager to escape his cousin's inquiry.

"Greta's been baking all morning to keep her mind off of Saffy," Ashley told them.

Brittany nodded. "Totally understandable."

Ashley led the way upstairs. "Greta loves Saffy like she was her own daughter."

"She was her nanny, right?" Zander asked.

Ashley nodded. "Up until she came to work for us."

Nick had just gotten home from picking up Katie, and they were in the kitchen when Ashley came in with her two friends.

"Hi, Katie," Ashley said. "Did you have fun at Caroline's?"

Katie nodded. "We decided we're going to have a party when Grandpa brings Aunt Saffy home."

"I think that's a great idea," Julie said. "Your Aunt Saffy would love that."

Katie nodded. "I really miss her."

Nick kissed the top of her head. "We all do, sweetheart."

"Here are some more biscuits," Greta said. "Chocolate chip with walnuts."

"Greta, we haven't finished your first batch," Nick said.

"I have another almost ready to come out of the oven," Greta set the plate down. "Sugar."

"Brit, you and Zander can take some home," Ashley said. "We'll never eat all of these."

"Oatmeal is next," Greta hurried back to the oven.

"Oatmeal raisin are Saffy's favourites," Ashley remembered.

Greta nodded, blinking back tears.

Nick came up behind her. "Come here."

"Nicholas," Greta sobbed. "I'm so worried about her."

Nick hugged her tightly. "And she always hated to see you cry."

"I just want to know that she's all right," Greta said.

"She's going to come home," Nick said. "Harry and Ethan will see to that."

"I hope so," Greta wiped her eyes. "I hope she comes back soon."

"She has to," Katie said. "She has her big match soon. Right, Daddy?"

Nick forced a smile. "That's right baby."

"I've never seen Greta like this," Ashley whispered to her mother.

"Me either," Julie put a comforting arm around her.

"It's really great having Zander and Brit here," Ashley said. "I just...I feel guilty for laughing ..."

"You shouldn't," Julie answered.

"Really?" Ashley asked.

"Your aunt Saffy would still want you to live your life," Julie told her. "So would Alexa."

"I didn't even ask about her," Brittany said. "How is she doing?"

"Still comatose," Julie answered. "We're really hoping she'll wake up soon. I don't think Gabriel's left the hospital since this all happened."

"This is so sad," Ashley said. "They were all looking forward to this summer and now..."

"They still might have most of the summer," Nick reassured her.

Ashley hoped that was true.

212. Chapter 212

Authors’ note: We appreciate the response we’re continuing to get on this storyline. Thank you so much for reading!

At the hospital, Gabriel stretched his legs. He had slept in this uncomfortable chair in the waiting room for almost a week now. He'd only gone home sparingly to change his clothes and to appease his stepmother.

With a heavy sigh, he moved over and perched on the end of Alexa's bed. "Come on Lexie," he pleaded. "You have to wake up."

He placed a kiss to her forehead. "Excuse me, sir," the nurse said knocking on the door. "I have to do her morning check-up. You'll need to wait outside." Gabriel nodded. "Um, I was going to go home and change clothes. You promise if anything happens, you'll let me know?"

"Of course," the nurse replied.

Gabriel gave her one last kiss on the cheek before he left her room. There hadn't been any change. He wasn't going to give up hope though. Alexa's parents were waiting in the visitor area.

"Still nothing," he told them glumly. "The nurse was doing the morning check-up."

Karen nodded. "Patrick was just trying to convince me to go to the cafeteria."

"I'm going to go home and get changed," Gabriel said. "Then I'll come right back."

"I know it means a lot to her that you've been here," Karen said patting his arm.

"She's the most important person in the world to me," Gabriel said honestly.

Gabriel shook Patrick's hand and said a quick goodbye to them. Karen and Patrick left word at the desk that they were going to the cafeteria. RJ walked in carrying a bouquet of sunflowers, which were Alexa's favourites. He had stopped by quite a few times over the last few days, but always felt like an outsider. He knew Alexa's parents still hated him for what he'd done when they were dating.

He saw Gabriel at the same time the other boy saw him. "Hey," he said. "How is she?"

"No change," Gabriel said glumly.

RJ nodded. "I thought I'd go in and see her for a few minutes."

"I'm sure she'd like that," Gabriel said. "I was going to head home for a few minutes."

RJ nodded. "I'll keep an eye on her for you mate."

"Thanks," Gabriel said. "I'll see you later."

RJ headed towards Alexa's room. The nurse had just finished up and allowed him inside.

RJ set the flowers down on the bedside table and sat down. "You know, I always did like to watch you when you slept," RJ said. "But, I'd give anything to see you open your eyes right now, Lexie."

His ex girlfriend's eyes stayed closed, her breathing even.

"I keep thinking about that day in Hogsmeade," RJ said taking her hand in his. "Do you remember how nervous you were around me? I thought you were so cute."

He sighed. "I messed up with you, Lexie, but I still care about you. We've both moved on... I just want you to be happy."

RJ's eyes grew wide when he felt her squeeze his hand back. "Lexie?"

Gabriel came back in at that moment and stopped when he saw his girlfriend's eyes open.

"RJ?" Alexa said hoarsely.

"Lexie..." RJ stared back at her.

"W-water," Alexa said, her throat was so dry and she couldn't remember feeling so thirsty in her life.

"I'll get it," Gabriel crossed the room quickly.

Alexa barely registered the stranger in the room as he poured her a glass of water. Her eyes were focused on RJ's.

"I can't believe you're awake," RJ said happily.

Alexa took the glass of water and drained the glass. She wondered why this older boy kept staring at her. "Thank you."

Gabriel smiled too. "RJ, do you mind going and getting a nurse?"

RJ stood up, but Alexa grabbed his arm. "Don't go."

"Lexie--" RJ said. "I have to go tell them you're awake. Gabe will stay here, don't worry."

Alexa bit her bottom lip. "Um...you promise you'll be right back?"
"Sure," RJ nodded. "I promise..."

Alexa looked over at the other boy. "Could I have another glass of water, please?"

"Sure," Gabriel got it for her eagerly. "Lexie... I'm so happy you're awake. We've all been so worried about you."

"What happened?" Alexa asked before taking another sip of her water.

"You don't remember?" Gabriel asked.

Alexa shook her head. "The...the last thing I remember was--" Her words were cut off when RJ and the nurse came back into the room.

"We've been waiting for you to wake up," the nurse said with a bright smile.

Alexa set her glass down. "I feel like I've slept for a year."

"It's been a week," RJ said.

"The healer will be here in just a few moments to check on you," the nurse told her. "One of you young men should go and get her parents."

"I'll go," RJ wanted to give Gabriel time with Alexa.

"No," Alexa said, reaching for RJ. "Please, stay."

"Lexie..." RJ was confused.

"I don't know him," Alexa whispered, motioning to Gabriel with her head. "And he keeps looking at me. It makes me nervous."

"You don't know him?" RJ was startled. "Lex... that's--"

"No," Alexa said, reaching for RJ. "Please, stay."

"Lexie..." RJ was confused.

"I don't know him," Alexa whispered, motioning to Gabriel with her head. "And he keeps looking at me. It makes me nervous."

"You don't know him?" RJ was startled. "Lex... that's--"

"Miss O'Leary," the nurse said stepping closer. "Do you know who you are?"

Alexa nodded. "Alexa O'Leary. I'm a student at Hogwarts. I'm in my fifth year."

Gabriel crossed his arms and stared at her.

"I need you young men to leave the room while the healer examines her," the nurse said as the healer entered the room.

RJ and Gabriel silently went outside. "I swear mate," RJ said. "I don't want to encourage this..."

"What's going on?" Gabriel asked. "Why doesn't she remember me?"

"I don't know," RJ said. "When that curse hit her, it must have done something to her memories."

"Well, they can fix this, right?" Gabriel asked.

"I hope so," RJ said quietly.

Gabriel sighed. "I--

I guess I'll go and get her parents."

RJ could hardly look at him. "Okay," he answered.

Gabriel looked back at the closed door to Alexa's room before hurrying down the corridor.

RJ leaned against the wall hoping that the healer would be able to help Alexa. Hopefully Dolohov's curse wasn't that bad and a few reversal spells would make things good as new.

"RJ!" Alexa called out to him.

He hurried back inside. "Yeah?"

"She was asking for you," the healer said. "Would you stay with her until I get back? I need to confer with my colleagues?"

RJ nodded and sat back down on the edge of Alexa's bed. She smiled shyly at him. "You've cut your hair. Last night in the common room, I was telling you that it was getting a little long..."

"Uh yeah..." RJ decided to play along for now. "You like it?"

"I do," Alexa said softly. "But, I was only teasing you last night."

"It was getting in my eyes when I played Quidditch," RJ said truthfully.

Alexa took his hand. "It was really sweet of you to stay here with me. I must have been really sick, huh? If Madam Pomfrey sent me to St. Mungos."

"Yeah," RJ said. "You uh... you've been sick."

"Seeing you makes me feel better," Alexa said blushing. She was still getting used to being so forward with RJ. It wasn't too long ago when she could barely stream two words together in his presence.

"I'm just glad you're awake," RJ said, hoping the healers would come back soon.

"Alexa!" Karen exclaimed. "Sweetheart, you're awake!"

"Hi Mum," Alexa said. "Hi Daddy."

"The healer said he'd be back," RJ told them.

Karen nodded, while Patrick looked over at him with an unreadable look on his face.

RJ felt bad when he saw Gabriel wince when he saw Alexa holding his hand.

"How are you feeling?" Karen asked.

"Like I've been sleeping for a year," Alexa repeated. "I just can't believe Madam Pomfrey had to send me to St. Mungos."

"Madam Pomfrey?" Karen asked, confused.

"She's the nurse at school," Alexa replied. "Usually she can heal anything."

Gabriel stepped closer to the bed. "Lexie? You--you don't remember me?"

Alexa stared at him. "Should I?"

"Of course you should," Karen said. "He's--"

The healer interrupted. "Might I have a moment, Mr and Mrs O'Leary?"

"Of course," Patrick replied. "We'll be right outside, Alexa."

Alexa nodded and smiled again at RJ. "I'm so glad you're here," she said. "I can't believe Dumbledore allowed you to be here."

"I wouldn't have been anywhere else," RJ said truthfully. "Until I knew you were okay, Lexie."

Gabriel bit his lower lip and walked over to the window.

"One of the many reasons why I love you so much," Alexa said leaning in and kissing his cheek. "So very much."

That was as much as Gabriel could take. Without looking at either of them, he turned and rushed out of the room.

"Do you think they'll let you stay with me until I go home?" Alexa asked hopefully.

"I... I don't know," RJ looked at the door. "I don't really know what's going on right now."

Just outside the room, Gabriel was trying to stay in control of his emotions. Over the last few days, he'd been through so much, but that paled into comparison to his girlfriend looking at him and not knowing who he was.

"...memory modification charm," the healer was saying to Alexa's parents. "Seems like your daughter doesn't remember anything of the past two years."

Karen let out a cry. "She's lost two years of her life?"

The healer looked sympathetically at her. "We've seen a number of memory charms. But, we've never seen anything like this one. The wizard who cast this spell certainly knew an awful lot about them. Which is why, we don't have any way of reversing it at this time. Hopefully, she'll remember on her own."

"How long would that take?" Gabriel asked.

"We're not sure," the healer replied honestly. "It could be days, weeks, months..."

"She's supposed to leave in a few months for University overseas," Patrick said. "What if she doesn't remember? What can we do to help her remember?"

"Right now, you shouldn't scare her or make her try to remember," the healer told them. "She needs to feel calm, safe, and peaceful. We'll keep her here for the next few days. Don't try and tell her anything differently. This would only make her cling to the past. It's best if she remembers on her own."

Patrick sighed. "She thinks that RJ is her boyfriend all over again."

"So we shouldn't tell her about Saffron?" Karen asked.

The healer shook his head. "Might be too traumatic for her to hear. I don't recommend it."

Gabriel jammed his hands in his pockets. "Is there anything else we can do for her?" he asked.

"Be patient," the healer told him. "I know it's not easy. But it's in her best interest."

Karen put a comforting hand on his arm. "She'll remember you, Gabriel."

Gabriel hoped so. He couldn't imagine losing her like this.

The healer led the way back into the room to deliver his "diagnosis" to Alexa. RJ stood up and walked over to Patrick, who silently filled him in on what was going on with Alexa.

"We're going to keep you here a few days, Miss O'Leary," the healer told her. "You have a touch of the wizarding flu and we think it best if you stay here until you're better."

"Just the wizarding flu?" Alexa asked.

"Just the wizarding flu," the healer told her. "You just need to get your rest and concentrate on getting better."

Alexa sighed. "All right..."

"Your father and I are going to go home and bring you back some of your belongings," Karen told her. "We'll be back shortly, sweetheart."

"Can you owl Saffy for me?" Alexa asked. "I'm sure she's worried."

"Of course," Karen replied, tearing up a little as she thought of her daughter's best friend. Saffron was like a member of their family and Karen hated to think about what had happened.

RJ couldn't believe this was happening. Alexa thought they were still at Hogwarts and still dating. How in the world was he going to explain this to Audrey?

"Listen uh... I really should get back." RJ said to her. "I'll come by again."

Alexa didn't want him to go. "Can't you stay? Just a little while longer?"

RJ felt horrible. On one hand, he didn't want to encourage this, but according to the healer they weren't supposed to tell Alexa what was really going on. "I'm sure Gabe here wouldn't mind staying..." he said lamely.

Gabriel shook his head. "No, it's alright. I should get home anyway."

"Please just stay for a little while longer," Alexa pleaded with RJ. "I hate hospitals."

"I suppose I could stay until you fall asleep," RJ relented.

"This is why you're the best boyfriend," Alexa said, leaning back on her pillows.

Gabriel quietly left the room and RJ felt guilty, but this was what the healer had told them to do.

"Come on," Alexa said scooting over. "Cuddle with me. My parents aren't here..."

RJ hesitated. "Lexie---"

"It'll be okay," Alexa said with a grin. "Wizarding flu isn't contagious."

RJ kicked off his shoes. "Have I ever been able to refuse you anything?"

"Nope," Alexa closed her eyes and leaned against him.

RJ felt a wave of nostalgia hit him. How many times had he been like this with her in the past? "I was really worried about you, you know that?"

"I didn't mean to make anyone worry," Alexa said softly.

"It's not your fault," RJ reassured her.

"I'm tired," she said.

"You've been through a lot," RJ said softly. "Get some sleep."

"Just stay with me until I'm out," Alexa rested her head on his shoulder.

RJ put his arms around her. "I'm not going anywhere, Lexie."

"I love you, RJ." Alexa said as she drifted off.

RJ kissed the top of her head. "I-I love you too, Lex."

She sighed happily before falling asleep completely.

Back at the flat, Andrew was looking at the morning papers. The big story continued to be Saffron's disappearance. Andrew had been able to think of little else. He'd even hung out at the Ministry trying to get word to Saffron's parents or Ethan that he wanted to help, but security was tight and he hadn't gotten through.

He wished there was something he could do to help them. Despite them not being together anymore, Andrew still cared about his ex a great deal.

It had been a week now. The papers were speculating as to whether or not she was still alive since there hadn't been any ransom demands.

"She has to still be alive," Andrew muttered.

There was a knock on the front door and Andrew set aside the papers. He wasn't really in the mood to see anyone. He sighed when he opened the door and saw his parents standing there.

"Mum, Dad?"

Andrew Kirke, Sr. looked sympathetically at his son. "We were worried about you. Wanted to see how you were holding up."

"Okay," Andrew shrugged. "I'm just so worried about her."

Tricia Kirke gave her son a hug. "We were just at the Potters..."

"You were there?" Andrew asked. "Why didn't you tell me?"

Andy and Tricia stepped into the flat. "We just stopped by after brunch," Andy told his son.

"They're beside themselves with worry," Tricia said.

"I can imagine," Andrew raked his hands through his hair.

"They seem to think Nikolai Dolohov is behind all of this," Andy said.

"He sure seems to be," Andrew replied.

"We gave the Potters your regards," Tricia told her son.

"I've been trying to get in touch with them," Andrew said.

"It wasn't easy for us to get through," Tricia said. "But your father ran into Ethan at the Ministry."

"That's what I've been trying to do all week," Andrew said morosely.

"I'll make us some tea," Tricia said. "Have you eaten, Andrew?"

He shrugged. "A little breakfast."

Tricia nodded and headed for the kitchen. "I'm going to make you some eggs."

"Mum--" Andrew protested, but it fell on deaf ears.

"You know she loves to take care of you," his father told him.

Andrew gave a half-hearted smile. "All too well, Dad."

"Let her fuss over you," his father said.

Andrew nodded. "I'll try to eat something."

"That's my boy," Tricia called out from the kitchen.

Andrew forced a smile as his mother made him some eggs and then some tea.

"How's Natalia?" Tricia asked.

"Fine," Andrew answered. "I... I really haven't seen her much all week."

"She's a lovely girl," Tricia remarked. "Very sweet."

"Yeah," Andrew said absently. "But she deserves better."

"Are you two having problems?" Andy asked.

"I just can't commit to her the way she wants me to," Andrew stuck a fork in his eggs.

"Why's that?" Tricia asked.

He sent his mother a rueful glance. "Saffron."

"You're still in love with Saffron?" Tricia asked.

Andrew shrugged. "I don't know, Mum."

"Sounds like you have some thinking to do, son." his father said.

"Yeah," Andrew said quietly.

"If you still love Saffron, it's not necessarily fair to string Natalia along," his mother said gently.

"I care about Natalia," Andrew said thoughtfully. "She's been great for me. She's funny, beautiful, sweet..."

"And she's crazy about you," Tricia said.

"Saffron and I are over," Andrew said. "She'd moved on. And now this---"

"If you still care about her then you really just need to figure out where you stand in all this," Tricia told him.

Andrew nodded. "Thanks Mum."

"I'm sure I've lectured you enough," Tricia smoothed back her son's hair.

"I'm used to it," Andrew said with a slight smile.

His father laughed. "Not the best answer, son."

"He's our only son," Tricia said defensively. "And I only want what's best for him."

"I know that," Andrew said hastily.

"And," Tricia said. "Whatever you decide, we'll support you."

"Thanks," Andrew managed to finish his eggs.

"Is there any news on the O'Leary girl?" Tricia asked.

Andrew shook his head. "Not that I know of. RJ went over there to see her a little while ago."

Tricia sighed. "Such a tragedy."

"Lex isn't going to die," Andrew said a bit sharply.

"I'm sure St. Mungos will do everything they can to help her," his father said.

"I hope so," Andrew said. "I just want Saffron to get home safely too."

"She will," Tricia tried to reassure him. "She has so many people who care about her. They're looking for her and won't stop until she's found."

"I just really want to help," Andrew said.

"Andrew," Tricia said worried. "I don't want you---"

"Mum I have to," Andrew said. "I have to get her back somehow. I do still love her, okay?"

"I just don't want anything to happen to you," Tricia said putting her hand on his arm. "You're all that we have, Andrew."

"I know," Andrew replied. "If I get the chance to help, I'll be careful."

"That's all we can ask," Andy said to his son. He reached into his pocket for his mobile and punched in a number. "Neville Longbottom, please."

"Dad--" Andrew said. "How do you know Neville Longbottom?"

"I went to school with him," Andy replied. A moment later, Neville's voice came over the line. "Hello, Neville. This is Andy Kirke."

Andrew wondered what his father could possibly be doing.

"How are you Nev?" Andy continued. "I know...I can imagine. Tricia and I were just at the Potters...."

Andrew looked at his mother, who shrugged and started cleaning up the kitchen.

"If you need any extra help, my son and I would be more than willing," Andy continued. "...an hour? Well, I think that would be okay. At headquarters, then? Right...okay. Thanks, Neville."

A smile broke out on Andrew's face for the first time in days.

"Neville said they would appreciate any extra help," Andy said after turning off the phone. "We can meet him at headquarters in an hour."

"I'll go get ready right now," Andrew sprinted to his bedroom.

For the first time since this had happened, he didn't feel helpless. He felt like he had a purpose. Sitting here doing nothing was only driving him crazy.

He pulled a jumper over his head and was about to head out when his mobile rang. He had left it on his bedside table. "Hello?" he asked a bit impatiently.

"Andrew? Hey, it's me," Natalia replied. "Where are you?"

"Talia," Andrew said. "Um... I'm about to... go out with my parents."

"Oh," Natalia said quietly. He'd obviously forgotten their plans. She was going to make him breakfast.

"I'm just kind of busy today," he hedged. "Can I ring you later?"

"Sure," Natalia said trying to hide her disappointment.

"I'll talk to you later then," Andrew said.

Natalia hung up the phone and sighed. Things with Andrew had been going so well, but now everything seemed strained. He wasn't talking to her even though she knew he was upset about the disappearance of Saffron Potter. Audrey had mentioned that Saffron and Andrew had dated in the past. Natalia wondered why Andrew hadn't shared this with her.

She understood him feeling distracted and sad about what had happened. She would have felt the same way. But, she wished he would have talked to her about it.

Meanwhile Andrew had already put the thought of his current girlfriend out of his head as he followed his father to the Ministry.

They had to go through heightened security to even get to Auror Headquarters.

Andrew stared around in wonder at the chaos. He wondered if most of the Aurors here were assigned to look for Saffron.

"Andy!" Neville called out.

"Hullo, Neville," Andy smiled at him.

"Hello, Mr. Longbottom," Andrew said shaking his hand.

"Andrew," Neville nodded. "Good to see you. I hear you both want to help."

"Yes sir," Andrew replied eagerly. "Anything."

"We have owls coming in all the time," Neville said motioning to where a few volunteers were sorting through piles and piles of letters.

"With tips?" Andrew asked.

Neville nodded. "I know it doesn't seem like much, but we always need a fresh set of eyes. Would you and your father like to read over some of the owls and see if you can find anything concrete?"

"Uh... sure." Andrew was a bit dismayed. He thought they'd be doing something more exciting, but he supposed this was better than nothing."

Neville looked at him. "Every little bit helps, Andrew."

"I know sir," Andrew nodded.

Neville showed them to their seats and had a couple of the other volunteers show them what they needed to do.

In an adjacent room, Maddie was sitting with Justin and Ethan. Justin and Ethan were going over everything the Ministry had on Dolohov and his family.

"I guess being a crook runs in the family," Justin said sarcastically, heaving another box of files onto the desk.

"You can say that again," Ethan rolled his eyes. "Just great."

I wish we were out there in the field.

Maddie looked up from her own files. "Justin, what did you say?"

Justin raised an eyebrow. "Nothing."

"But I just..." Maddie sighed. "Sorry..."

Cranston and Beckley are out there in the field. This is their first bloody year on the job. Ethan and I... pushing papers.

"They sent first years out instead of you two?" Maddie asked.

"Don't remind me," Justin grumbled.

Ethan looked quizzically at his wife. He didn't know how she would have known that.

Maddie opened her mouth to say something but stopped. "I um... I'll be right back." she hurried out of the room, suddenly sick to her stomach.

Ethan was going to get up and follow her, but he knew when to leave well enough alone. Besides, she was probably just knackered. They all were.

In the loo, Maddie wiped her mouth. It seemed like lately whenever she heard someone's thoughts, she also grew violently ill.

She hadn't mentioned anything about it to Ethan because he already had enough on his plate.

"Get a hold of yourself," Maddie brushed back her hair.

She closed her eyes and suddenly saw a vision of her sister-in-law sitting on a bed. She was making something...but Maddie couldn't see what. Was it some sort of weapon?

"Saffy?" Maddie whispered.

The vision went away just as swiftly as it had come. Maddie hurried out of the bathroom and back into the room with Ethan and Justin. "Ethan! I saw her!"

Ethan stared at his wife. "What?"

Maddie was still a little woozy so she sat down. "Just now in the loo. I had a vision. She---she's in this small room. There's no windows. She was making something. I think she's trying to find a way out."

Ethan smiled. "Maddie- that's great! She's okay!"

"I just wish I could have seen more," Maddie said wistfully.

Justin hurried out of the room so he could get Harry and Hermione.

"I need a pensieve," Maddie said. "Everyone can see it that way."

Ethan nodded. "I can get one for you. Are you okay, love?"

Maddie nodded. "I think so."

Ethan gave her a kiss. "I'm so proud of you."

Maddie gave him a trembly little smile. "I just want her to be okay, Ethan."

Ethan gave her hand a squeeze and rushed out of the room to get the pensieve. He saw Andrew sitting at one of the tables. "Maddie had a vision. She saw Saffy."

"What?" Andrew shoved back his chair. "What was she doing? Did she look okay?"

"Maddie said she was okay," Ethan said. "I have to get a pensieve so Mum and Dad can see it too. If you want, you can come in there, too. I know how much you care about my sister, Andrew."

Andrew nodded. "I'd do anything for her, Ethan."

Ethan smiled. "She knows that. Go on. Maddie's in the second room on the left."

"Thanks," Andrew hurried down the corridor.

Ethan made it back to the room a few minutes later with a pensieve. His parents were already waiting there, eager for even one glance of their daughter.

Maddie withdrew her wand. "I just want to warn you that it wasn't that much. It was only a few seconds..."

"It's better than nothing, Maddie." Hermione said, her face anxious and drawn.

Everyone watched as Maddie stored her vision into the pensieve.

"There it is," she said a moment later, motioning for them to crowd around.

Harry felt his breath catch in his throat as he saw his daughter for the first time in over a week.

"Baby," Hermione whimpered.

Saffron looked up at them, tears in her eyes. And with that, she was gone.

"She's alive," Hermione said wiping at her own eyes. "She's alive."

Harry could hardly hold himself together. "Can... can we watch that again?" he asked. "I need to see what she's doing."

"Of course," Maddie said standing back.

Hermione also gazed down. "Harry, what's she doing?"

"She's---she's making something," Harry said focusing on the object in his daughter's hands. She was using a plastic knife to whittle something. "She's going to use that to defend herself."

"That's my girl," Hermione said, pride in her voice.

Andrew was also staring at the pensieve, with a faraway look on his face.

"What if he hurts her?" Justin asked thoughtfully.

"I'll kill him," Andrew said harshly without even realizing he was speaking aloud.

"Join the queue," Ethan said.

"There's no windows in that room," Harry said trying to focus on the surroundings for some sort of clue.

"That's barely a bed," Hermione said. "More like a pile of blankets."

"Those are the same clothes she was wearing the morning she was taken," Harry remembered.

Hermione began to sob. "She's alive."

Harry put his arms around her. "I know, sweetheart. I know."

"This is good, Mum." Ethan said. "We have somewhat of an idea now."

Hermione nodded. "Thanks to Maddie."

"I really didn't do anything," Maddie began.

"Yes you did," Hermione told her. "You've given us hope. I wake up each morning not knowing whether or not she's alive. Thanks to you, I saw my baby girl. She's not safe yet, but she's alive. She's alive."

Maddie nodded. "If I see anything else, I'll make sure you know straightaway."

Hermione gave her a hug. "Thank you, Maddie."

Maddie nodded, hugging her back. "I'll do my best to try and see her again."

"Thank you," Hermione said turning back to look at the pensieve once more. "Saffron Grace."

Harry put a hand on his wife's arm. "I want to keep studying this," he said.

"Me too," Ethan said. "There's got to be something else there that we're not seeing."

"I'll get back to the post," Andrew felt renewed. "Now I have a better chance of weeding out the rubbish."

Harry stopped him. "Thank you for helping, Andrew."

"Anytime, sir." Andrew said. "I'll do anything I can to find her."

"We need all the help we can get," Harry said before turning his attention back to the pensieve.

Andrew nodded again before turning to leave the room.

"I can't stop looking at her," Hermione whispered.

"I know," Harry tightened his hold around his wife.

In the dingy house, Saffron heard a noise and she quickly hid the makeshift weapon she was trying to make underneath her pillow.

"You are wasting your time and energy," that same cold voice called out to her.

"I don't know what you're talking about," Saffron lied.

"Well," he said. "I did have a surprise for you..."

"What?" Saffron asked suspiciously.

"You've been wearing those same clothes," he replied. "In the closet, you'll find something new to wear."

"I don't want it," Saffron wrapped her arms around herself.

"It's there when you're ready for it," he called back. "Don't look so sad. You're not going to be alone for long."

"What do you mean by that?" Saffron asked. "You keep saying that! What are you going to do? Why can't you just let me go?"

"I'm not through with you, my pet," he said in a tone that sent shivers down Saffron's spine.

"Just let me go," she pleaded. "I want to see my parents and my brother and sister."

"I want to see them too," he said cryptically.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Saffron said, growing angry. "You're a bastard! You killed my boyfriend, hurt my best friend, and now you're always talking about how I won't be alone. WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO?"

There was no response. Saffron threw a book at the wall. "YOU COWARD!"

There was still no response and she flung herself back on the pile of blankets with a huff.

She didn't even know why she was bothering with that makeshift weapon. She'd been here over a week and she'd never set eyes on her captor. He taunted her with his cryptic comments, but he never showed his face. He never came into the room. Her meals appeared each day on the desk. When she was finished, they disappeared. He'd obviously put quite a bit of time and effort into his sadistic plan.

She hoped desperately that she'd see her father or brother break into the room to take her home, but she knew they probably had no idea where she was. SHE didn't even know where she was.

"Mum, Dad," Saffron whispered. "Please. You have to get me out of here."

213. Chapter 213

Authors’ note: We really do appreciate the feedback from the last chapter. We have really enjoyed writing this storyline and are glad that you seem to like it too, even with all the angst and drama!

Harry and Hermione stood huddled together underneath an umbrella. Today was Sean Grant's funeral and though they had a lot on their minds at the moment, they wanted to pay their respects to the boy who had been a big part of their daughter's life.

Hermione looked over at Sean's mother who was sobbing uncontrollably. She couldn't imagine what that woman was going through. Hermione was just keeping it together as it was with Saffron missing.

"We should go say something," she said softly to her husband.

Harry nodded and together he and his wife walked over to the Grants.

"Laura, Matthew," Hermione said. "I'm so sorry for what happened."

"Hermione," Laura took her hand. "Thank you so much for coming. Sean loved Saffron so much."

"Saffron loved him too," Hermione said. "He was such a remarkable young man."

"If there's anything we can do," Harry offered, but Matthew Grant shook his head.

"We should be offering you our help," Matthew said quietly. "Is there any news?"

Harry nodded. "We know she's alive and unhurt at the moment. Still no idea on her whereabouts."

Hermione gave the other woman a hug. "I am so sorry for what happened, Laura."

Laura sobbed again. "My boy..."

Hermione was at a complete loss as to what to say.

"Laura," Matthew said putting his arm around his wife. "Come on. Let's get you out of the rain."

Laura nodded, clutching a soggy tissue in her hand.

"If you need to talk, please give me a call," Hermione said.

"Thank you," Laura whispered gratefully. "Sean loved Saffron so... and she's a lovely girl. We'll pray that nothing happens to her."

"Thank you," Hermione said softly. She and Harry watched Laura head in the other direction.

"I can't imagine what that's like," Hermione said quietly. "To bury your child."

Harry shook his head. "I don't ever want to know."

"I think it's time I told my mother," Hermione said looking at her husband.

"Do you think that's wise?" Harry asked.

"She's been missing for over a week," Hermione snapped. "What do you want me to tell her, Harry?"

Harry put a hand up to calm her down. "Hermione, I only meant--"

Hermione started to stalk away from him. She didn't care that it was raining.

"Hey," Harry caught up to her. "Not here."

"I'm going back to the office," Hermione said still walking ahead of him.

"You're getting soaked," Harry said. "Hermione--"

"My mother deserves to know, Harry." Hermione snapped.

"I just think you should wait---" Harry tried to reason with her. "Hermione..."

Hermione brushed his hand away and kept walking.

"You're angry with me," Harry replied. "Why?"

"I'm angry with both of us," Hermione turned and rounded on him. "We were supposed to keep her safe! We can fool ourselves into thinking that this wasn't our fault, but it was. Because of who we are, she was taken! I can't ever forgive myself for that, Harry!"

"Hermione," Harry said. "You don't think that crosses my mind almost every minute of every day since she disappeared?"

Hermione looked up at him, her lower lip trembling. "She, Ethan, and Julie are my life, Harry."

"Mine too," Harry reached to pull her to him. "And you, Hermione."

Hermione put her arms around him.

"Come on," Harry said. "Let's tell your mum."

"I'm sorry," Hermione apologised.

"It's okay," Harry pressed his lips to her forehead. "We have to stay strong, sweetheart."

"For Saffy," Hermione said looking up at him.

"And Elinore," Harry squeezed her hand.

"Mum," Hermione said softly. "I don't know how she's going to take this."

"Not too well, I'm sure." Harry said.

"She and Saffy are very close," Hermione said. "Always have been."

Harry sighed. "I just wish we didn't have to tell her at all."

Hermione nodded. "Thank you for coming with me."

"I'd do anything for you," Harry said.

"All I want is for our baby to be home, safe and sound," Hermione said wiping at her eyes.

"I do too," Harry said. "And she'll be home soon, safe and sound. I'm going to find her, Hermione."

Hermione wanted to believe him.

"I am," Harry noticed the look in his wife's eyes.

"We should get out of the rain," Hermione said.

"Right," Harry cast one more look at the Grant family before leading his wife away.

Elinore Granger was just sitting down with a book when she heard the doorbell. Her live-in nurse stood up to answer the door. A few moments later, the nurse was leading Harry and Hermione into the sitting room.

"Hermione? Harry? What are you two doing here?" Elinore asked.

"Hi mum," Hermione said. "We um... we have to... talk to you."

"I thought you were going to be in Brighton until the 15th," Elinore said setting her book aside.

"We came back early," Harry told his mother-in-law.

"Whatever for?" Elinore asked. "I heard the weather is lovely down there right now."

"Well," Hermione began. "There's something--"

"Did Saffron come with you?" Elinore asked. "She and I were going to have a Scrabble rematch."

"No Mum," Hermione sat down. "That's actually why we're here."

Elinore noticed that her daughter's eyes were red. "Hermione, have you been crying?"

Hermione looked up at Harry for help. "It's been a rough week, Mum."

"Should I make some tea?" the nurse asked.

"That would be great," Harry told her.

The nurse nodded and went into the kitchen.

"Mum," Hermione took Elinore's hand. "Harry and I have something very important we have to talk to you about."

"What is it, sweetheart?" Elinore asked.

"Well," Hermione blinked back new tears. "It's about Saffy."

The slight smile on Elinore's face fell. "Saffy?"

"We were in Brighton," Harry said taking over for his wife who couldn't bring herself to say it again. "She had gone out for the day with her friends. There was---there was a man---"

"He took her," Hermione said, wiping her eyes.

"Took her?" Elinore gasped.

"She's been kidnapped," Harry said gently. "We're working as hard as we can to find her, but we don't really have any concrete leads."

Elinore shook her head. "No. Not my Saffy..."

"She's not hurt," Harry said quickly. "Maddie had a vision of her."

"But she's not home," Elinore said quietly. "Not where she belongs."

"I'm working to get her back," Harry reassured her. "So is Ethan."

Elinore shakily got to her feet and walked over to the fireplace. She looked at a photograph of her youngest granddaughter with Robert. Having her come home every weekend to spend time with her grandfather during his recuperation had been very therapeutic for Robert.

"Grandpa, what do you want for lunch?" Saffron asked looking up from her textbook.

"Bacon sandwich with extra mayonnaise," Robert replied.

"Nice try," Saffron said. "You know that's not on your diet."

"Can't blame me for trying," Robert answered.

"I still have some of that watercress salad," Elinore said. "I bought it at the grocer's."

Robert's nose scrunched up in disgust. "Ellie---"

"I think that's just what you need Grandpa," Saffron said.

"That rubbish has no flavour," Robert huffed.

"It's good for your heart," Elinore reminded him. "And it's all those bacon sandwiches you were eating that got you in this mess, Robert."

"Maybe just a little bacon wouldn't hurt, Grandma," Saffron said. "Surely he could splurge on just a piece or two."

"Saffy's right," Robert grinned. "Two pieces wouldn't hurt."

"Okay," Elinore relented.

Saffron winked at her grandfather before heading into the kitchen.

"Two slices," Elinore told him. "That's it."

"I've got it covered Grandma," Saffron replied.

"What about dessert?" Robert asked.

"Applesauce," Elinore replied. "Don't make that face."

"I don't know what's wrong with a little chocolate," Robert muttered.

"Grandpa," Saffron said carrying a tray of watercress salad and bacon into the sitting room. "You are so stubborn."

"Where do you think you get it from, Saffron Grace?" Robert asked.

"You," Saffron said setting the tray before him. "And if you're really good, you can have a small piece of angel food cake. It's fat-free."

"Where did you get that?" Elinore asked.

"Greta made it," Saffron told him.

Robert grinned at his wife. "What would we do without her?"

"Be very bored," Elinore said grinning back at him.

"I love having you here," Robert told his granddaughter. "It's the best medicine."

"Of course it is," Saffron answered.

"Modesty," Elinore said dryly. "Another trait she inherited from you, Robert."

Saffron giggled. "How about some tea?"

"I'd love that," Robert replied. "Thank you, sweetheart."

"What about you Grandma?" Saffron asked.

"I'd love a cup," Elinore said. "In fact, I'll help you with it."

"I expect all that watercress to be gone, Grandpa," Saffron said.

"Yes, ma'am," Robert said.

Elinore shared a laugh with her granddaughter.

"Having you here has been so good for him," Elinore told her when they got into the kitchen.

Saffron smiled. "It's been good for me, too. I love spending time with you guys. I know you were worried about me missing out on things, but I'm not. I'm keeping up with my school work and I spend time with my friends during the week. It's the best of both worlds."

"That's our good girl," Elinore said proudly.

"How are you doing with all this?" Saffron asked. "I know it hasn't been easy on you."

"It's been easier knowing I have such a lovely family to lean on," Elinore said.

Saffron gave her a hug. "Oh, Gran. You can always lean on us. You know that."

"We love you so much sweetheart," Elinore hugged her back.

"That's good," Saffron said grinning at her grandmother. "Because you are stuck with me. I'm not going anywhere."

"She said she wasn't going anywhere," Elinore sobbed to Harry and Hermione.

"Mum," Hermione said coming up behind her mother. "We're going to find her."

Elinore sat down limply, her head in her hands.

"When did this happen?" Elinore finally asked.

"Over a week ago," Hermione replied.

Elinore looked at her daughter in disbelief. "My granddaughter has been missing for over a week and you're just now telling me?"

"We were hoping to find her," Hermione said helplessly. "And not stress you out--"

"How could you not tell me?" Elinore asked. "I had a right to know!"

"I'm sorry," Hermione apologised.

"I'll never forgive you for this," Elinore said pulling away from her daughter.

"Mum!" Hermione gasped.

"How would you have felt if I'd kept what happened to your father from you?" Elinore asked. "Because I thought you wouldn't be able to handle it?"

"Please Mum," Hermione pleaded. "I know we should have told you sooner. But fighting right now isn't going to help us get Saffy back."

Elinore softened. "Oh, Hermione. I'm so sorry."

"Mum," Hermione reached over and hugged her. "We're so worried too."

Elinore hugged her back tightly. "My sweet girl..."

Hermione blinked back a new onslaught of tears.

"Elinore," Harry said. "We're doing everything we can to find her."

"Of course," Elinore said. "Of course you are."

Harry gave her a hug. "We'll keep you updated from now on. I promise."

"Thank you," Elinore said softly. "My poor Saffy."

"We've had someone watching your house, too," Harry told her. "This man seems to have a vendetta against our whole family. We want to make sure everyone's safe."

"Of course," Elinore said vaguely.

"Maybe you should stay with us," Hermione said. "Just until this is over..."

"That would be a good idea," Harry said encouragingly.

"I'd like that," Elinore replied after a moment.

Hermione felt a huge sense of relief. "I'm so glad, Mum."

Elinore smiled. "It's times like this when you need to be with your family."

"You're right," Harry replied.

Hermione looked at her husband. "Why don't you go on back to headquarters? I'll help Mum get her things together."

"Sounds good," Harry nodded.

Hermione gave him a hug. "I'm sorry about before..."

"I know sweetheart," Harry ran a hand through her hair.

"You'll let me know if you hear anything?" Hermione asked.

"Right away," Harry promised.

Hermione released him. "I love you."

"Love you too," Harry gave her a quick kiss.

Harry Apparated back to the Ministry. He was eager to see if there were any new leads. Dolohov had to screw up at some point.

"Any news?" Harry asked his son as he entered the office.

Ethan shook his head. "Nothing. How was the funeral?"

Harry shook his head. "I didn't even know what to say to the Grants."

Ethan leaned against the wall. "He was a good lad. Cared about Saffy a lot."

"Enough to save her life at the expense of his," Harry answered quietly.

"How's Mum holding up?" Ethan asked.

"Okay," Harry said. "Your Gran is coming to stay with us until this is all over."

"You told her?" Ethan asked.

"Your Mum wanted to," Harry sat down at his desk.

Ethan was glad that everything was out in the open. He knew how his grandmother liked her independence though. "I'm glad that she's going to be with you and I know it puts Mum's mind at ease."

Harry nodded. "It sure does. Now... we just need o get Saffy home."

"Justin and I are going out in a few minutes," Ethan said. "Knockturn Alley."

"What's there?" Harry asked.

"Murphy Granlow," Ethan told him. Granlow was a reformed Death Eater who still had ties to some of his old cohorts. He had been helpful in a number of investigations in the past. "See if he's heard anything on Dolohov."

Harry nodded. "Good idea."

"I learned from the best," Ethan said.

Harry smiled briefly. "Let me know what you hear."

"I will," Ethan promised. "I'll see you later, Dad."

Harry nodded and leaned back in his chair. He waved his hand and the door to his office closed. He'd made a point not to break down in front of anyone. They needed him to be strong.

But when he was alone like this, he could let his feelings emerge. The disappearance of his baby daughter was almost more than he could bear.

He put his head in his hands and started to cry. He had to find his daughter. There was no other option.

"Harry, I was thinking---" Neville said as he opened the door. "Oh---I'm sorry..."

"It's okay," Harry said. "Just... letting it out."

Neville nodded. "I can go--"

"No," Harry shook his head. "What were you thinking?"

Neville sat down. "Well, Kingsley, Lupin, and I were talking."

"Did you find something out?" Harry asked apprehensively.

Neville hesitated a moment. "We think...we think that it would be best if someone else was in charge of the investigation."

"What?" Harry stared at them. "Neville, this is my daughter--"

"Which is precisely why we think that you shouldn't be in charge," Neville interjected. "Harry, you are much too close to this and you're not the most objective person here."

"You can't stop me from looking for her," Harry said angrily.

"No one's saying you have to stop," Neville tried to calm him down. "But you and Ethan are..."

"Going to find her," Harry stood up.

"Harry," Neville called after him. "Come on, mate..."

"If this was Frankie, Allie or Chiaki," Harry began. "Would you give it up?"

"No, of course not," Neville said. "And no one's asking you to give up. We just think it best if you're not the lead Auror on this one. If the situation was reversed, you'd be saying the same thing to me, Harry."

"No I wouldn't," Harry denied.

"I'm on your side," Neville told him. "I love Saffy like she was one of my own."

Harry sat down at his desk again. "I can't just sit around like this. I have to be out looking for her."

"I know," Neville said. "But you don't have to do it alone."

Harry sighed. "I just feel helpless."

"We're going to find her," Neville said firmly.

"We told Elinore," Harry said. "She didn't take it well at all."

"I see," Neville said nodding.

"She's moving in with us for now as well," Harry rubbed at his eyes.

"That's great," Neville said. "I know it will put Hermione's mind at ease."

"I hope so," Harry said.

"I wish there was more that I could do," Neville said. "Cho and I would do anything."

"I know," Harry nodded. "We know."

There was a knock on the door. "Come in."

Hermione's assistant, Samuel, stood on the other side of the door. "Um, I'm sorry to interrupt, Harry."

"Yes, Samuel?" Harry asked.

Samuel was holding an envelope. "I was going through Hermione's owl post. This was---this was among the letters..."

Harry stood up and grabbed the envelope.

He opened the envelope that was addressed to Hermione. He felt his anger bubble up as he read the words.

"What does it say, Harry?" Neville asked.

Dear Minister:

How I have enjoyed our game! Your daughter has been such sweet company. I watch her all the time. She is quite a girl. No wonder you and your husband are so proud of her. It would be such a shame for her young life to end so soon.

You do realise that she cries for you in her sleep? The hope in her eyes dies each day when you and your husband fail to appear to rescue her. But, really, you only have yourselves to blame. I had no other choice.

I'll take good care of her for you. I promise.

"Son of a bitch," Harry cursed. "I'll kill him. I'll fucking take him by the throat and--"

"Harry," Neville tried to calm him.

"I have to find him before he does anything to her!" Harry crumpled the note in his fist.

"Samuel," Neville said. "You didn't see which owl delivered this, did you?"

Samuel shook his head. "We get thousands of letters each day, sir."

"I don't know how to tell Hermione this." Harry said.

"You have to," Neville told him.

Harry raked his hands through his hair.

Neville took the letter from him. "We need to look this over and see if there are any hidden clues."

Harry nodded. "It'd be better if I could go to Hermione with something more than this."

"You'll be bringing her home soon," Samuel said. "I know you will, Harry."

"Thanks Sam," Harry said quietly. "And I appreciate you bringing this to me."

"Of course," Samuel replied. "I'll let you know if we receive anything else."

"We appreciate it," Neville said.

Samuel left the two Aurors alone again and Harry looked at Neville. "Do what you have to with that letter. I'll take it home to show Hermione when you're finished."

Neville nodded. "We'll find something in it."

Harry stood up again. He couldn't sit here in his office twiddling his thumbs. "I'm going to get out of here. Check in with some old contacts. I'll be back later."

Neville nodded. "Just be careful, Harry."

Harry didn't respond. He headed out of his office and toward the lifts. He didn't know where Dolohov was, but he knew what he was capable of. Harry didn't care what it cost. He was going to bring Saffron home and if he had to kill Dolohov to do it, than so be it.

*** *** ***

It had been two weeks since Alexa had woken up in hospital and she knew something strange was going on. The healers said she had the wizarding flu, yet she felt fine. And RJ, as attentive as he was, seemed to be holding back. Everyone around her seemed to know some big secret, but no one would tell her what it was.

"I really am fine," Alexa told the nurse. "I would like to go back to school. I'm already two weeks behind."

"We have to keep you here to be sure, love," the nurse replied kindly.

Alexa sighed.

"Hey," RJ said from the doorway.

"RJ!" she brightened.

RJ smiled at her. "I brought you some new books and magazines."

"You're the best," she said happily.

RJ laughed. "You've told me that about a hundred times now."

"It's just so boring here," Alexa pouted.

"How about a walk?" RJ asked.

"Can we?" she asked the nurse.

The nurse nodded. "I don't see why not. Just don't take her very far."

"I promise we'll stay close," RJ said picking up Alexa's robe. "Come on, Lexie."

Alexa gratefully slid on the robe then wrapped her arms around him.

RJ hugged her back. "Let's break you out of here."

She went to kiss him but he turned and she got his cheek.

"RJ," Alexa said confused.

"I think I'm getting a cold," RJ lied.

"Oh," Alexa said disappointed.

"Come on," RJ put his arm around her.

Alexa was silent as they walked out of her room.

"What's wrong?" he asked.

"You tell me," Alexa said sullenly. "Have I done something wrong?"

"Of course not," RJ answered.

"You haven't kissed me since this happened," Alexa said quietly.

"You've been sick," RJ said uneasily.

"I'm fine," Alexa told him. "Absolutely fine."

RJ wasn't sure what else to say. He hated the fact that they were all lying to Alexa.

"Why are you here?" Alexa asked him point blank.

"To see you," RJ replied.

"Just go back to Hogwarts," Alexa said turning away from him. "I can walk by myself."

"Lex--" RJ caught her hand.

"Let me go," Alexa said.

"Why are you acting like this?" RJ was a bit frustrated. He didn't want to be unfaithful to Audrey, but Alexa was making things difficult.

"Because you aren't telling me something," Alexa replied. "I love you, RJ."

"Look, things will be better when you get out of the hospital," RJ said, hoping to avoid answering her. "Things will be... a lot clearer."

Alexa softened. "You promise?"

RJ nodded. "I promise."

Alexa took his hand and they resumed their walk.

"I know this wasn't very easy for you," Alexa said. "Coming here."

"Why not?" he asked.

"It's never easy to watch someone you love getting sick," Alexa explained. "I remember how I felt when you were in the hospital wing after what happened with Christina. I was so scared."

"Oh yeah," RJ said, rubbing the back of his neck.

"Let's go out on the observation deck," Alexa said. "I'm dying for some fresh air."

"Sure," RJ agreed.

Alexa opened the door and beamed when she felt the wind on her skin.

RJ grinned as he saw her smile. He'd forgotten just how pretty she was.

Alexa smiled. "It's so beautiful outside."

"Yeah it is," RJ agreed. "And it's good for you to get fresh air."

"I seem to remember someone telling me that very same thing when he wanted to get me out of the library and up to the Astronomy Tower to snog," Alexa reminded him.

"Those were the days, eh?" RJ asked.

Alexa nodded and looked up at the sky. "Full moon tonight."

RJ nodded. He remembered that he was supposed to pick Audrey up at the pub in about an hour and hoped he'd be on time.

Alexa leaned against him. "I really am glad that you're here."

"Me too," RJ said. "I just want you to get better, Lexie."

"Maybe Saffy can come with you next time," Alexa said. "I miss her."

RJ stiffened at the mention of the other girl.

"I wrote her a couple of letters," Alexa said. "I asked Mum to post them for me."

"I'm sure she'll enjoy reading them," RJ managed.

"I hope so," Alexa replied. "Will you tell her that I'm bored out of my mind and though I never thought I'd say it, I'd be happy to hear her and Beth arguing about keeping our room tidy."

"Right," RJ forced a smile. "Saffy's sure one of a kind."

"She always says the world couldn't handle two of her," Alexa laughed.

"That's for sure," RJ answered. "We should get you back to your room."

"Yeah," Alexa said frowning.

"I'll walk you back down there," RJ said.

"I was hoping you'd say that," Alexa said linking her arm in his.

They arrived back at the room in time to see Gabriel coming out.

"What are you doing here?" Alexa asked.

"I um... just was in the area," Gabriel had hoped by some miracle she would remember him. The past two weeks had literally been hell.

Alexa didn't know why this bloke was hanging around. She didn't know him.

"Um, well, that's nice," Alexa said politely.

RJ cast him a sympathetic look. "Alexa was just going back to bed- they want her to rest up."

"That's all they want me to do," Alexa complained.

"Because you need to get better," Gabriel said.

"That's what my parents keep telling me," Alexa said.

"I can help you back to bed if you want?" Gabriel offered, desperate for some real contact with her. He hoped if he could talk to her, he'd be able to jolt her back into present time.

"No, that's okay," Alexa said. "Thanks."

Gabriel nodded and stuffed his hands into his pockets.

"So, I'll see you tomorrow?" Alexa asked RJ.

"Yeah," RJ said giving her a hug. "Sweet dreams."

Alexa beamed at him. "Thanks again. I love you."

With that, she walked into her room and closed the door.

RJ looked sheepishly at Gabriel. "We just went for a walk is all, mate."

"I know," Gabriel said quietly. "This is just hard."

"I know," RJ said. "She--she asked about Saffy again. She wonders why she isn't coming to visit her."

"There hasn't really been any word since that new letter," Gabriel answered.

RJ sighed. "How's Lavender taking it?"

"Not so good," Gabriel said. "Everything's been really tense."

"Everything will sort itself out," RJ said confidently. "I mean, Uncle Harry and Ethan are going to do everything they can to bring her home."

"I hope so," Gabriel answered. They walked in silence for a moment. "Do you think this is fair?"

"Nothing about this is fair," RJ replied.

"But do you think we should be keeping the truth from Lexie like this?" Gabriel asked.

"The healers said it was best," RJ answered. "They want her memories to come back naturally."

Gabriel sighed. "No offence, but it's just hard to see her with you like this."

"It's just as hard for me to lie to her," RJ said. "I hate that, but it's the best thing for her."

"What does Audrey think of this?" Gabriel asked.

"She's not thrilled, but she understands," RJ told him.

Gabriel sighed. "Do you know how close I've come to telling her everything?"

"I know," RJ replied. "Me, too. Especially when she was talking about Saffy. But, we have to do this. She's going to remember, Gabe. You just need to be patient."

Gabriel nodded glumly. "In a weird way, I do appreciate what you're doing for her."

"You don't have to worry," RJ reassured him. "I'm not going to take advantage. I would do anything for Alexa. She means a lot to me."

"I know," Gabriel said quickly.

Alexa looked through the glass window on her door at RJ talking to that boy named Gabriel. She wondered why he kept showing up. And why RJ really was holding back from her. She knew him well enough to know when something was wrong and when he wasn't telling her the truth. She was going to find out what was really going on and she was going to find out soon.

She got back into bed and picked up a piece of parchment and her quill.

Dear Saffy:

I guess you must be really busy with preparing for O.W.L.S.

I've asked my parents to get my assignments for me, but they said that Headmaster Dumbledore asked that I not worry about it. That's strange, isn't it? I do have the advantage though of having the smartest girl in the school for my best friend. I imagine that you'll help me catch up when I get back.

I really miss talking with you. RJ's being really sweet and attentive, but something's wrong. I can feel it in how he looks at me. He always looks as if he wants to say something, but he can't bring himself to say it.

Maybe, I'm overreacting. I don't know.

In any case, I really hope I'm out of here soon. Staying in the hospital is so boring! I miss being with you, Beth and Meems.

I hope you find time to write me even if it's to complain about Mary Ellen.

Lexie

She sealed the letter in an envelope and put it aside for her mother to post for her later. Looking out her door again, she sighed with dismay when she saw RJ was still talking with that boy.

Alexa gave them one last look before getting back into bed and closing her eyes. It was going to be a long night.

214. Chapter 214

Authors’ note: This is a major chapter. We hope that you enjoy it!

Three weeks. Three weeks of being holed up in this nondescript room with no windows and no contact with anyone other than the sadistic bastard who was holding her here.

Saffron sighed as she pulled the covers of her bed back and got out of bed. She wasn’t surprised to see the tray of food on the desk. It was always there every morning without fail.

As always, she ate it dutifully. Her captor always got quite angry if she didn't finish every bit of food there was.

Saffron wondered if her parents were any closer to finding her. She had never missed them as badly as she did right now. She wanted nothing more than to run into her mother's arms and have her say that everything was going to be okay.

With a trembly sigh, she finished the oatmeal and left her spoon in the bowl. It disappeared rapidly.

"I trust you've slept well, my sweet." the voice said.

Saffron didn't reply. The sound of his voice always sent chills down her spine. He kept calling her those names and it made her skin crawl.

"I can tell you're lonely," he continued. "Don't worry."

"I want to see my parents," Saffron said quietly. "Or at least talk to them. Please."

"I'm afraid I can't allow that," the voice said, with a touch of glee.

"Please," Saffron begged.

"You'll see your family soon enough," he told her.

"If it's money that you want," Saffron said trying to reason with him. "All you have to do is ask my parents. They'll give you whatever you need. I just want to go home."

"YOU ARE NOT GOING HOME!" the voice boomed.

"WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME?" Saffron screamed back.

"It's not you I want, my sweet," the voice was calm again. "You'll see in due time..."

Saffron wondered what the hell that meant. He kept making cryptic comments like that, but he never gave anything away.

"Just be patient, love." the voice said.

"I just want to talk to my mum," Saffron pleaded, trying to keep her voice calm. "You have a mother, don't you? Please...I know that she's worried sick. I just want to talk to her for a minute to tell her I'm okay."

The voice didn't answer and Saffron lay back on the bed, trying not to sob.

Saffron thought about her parents. She wondered if they were having any luck in the search. Her father was a determined investigator and she knew he'd stop at nothing to find her. Every night, she dreamed of sleeping in her own bed with Puddles cuddled up beside her. She thought of her dog and felt the tears fall down her cheeks. Someone had to be looking after him---making sure he was fed and getting water.

Her thoughts also shifted to her brother and sister, who she was sure were just as worried as her parents.

She and Ethan didn't always get along, but she would have given anything to see him right now. Her family meant everything in the world to her and they needed her. She hated to think of them not knowing whether she was alive or dead. A terrible thought occurred to her. What if they did think she was dead?

What if they weren’t looking for her after all? The thought was almost too much for her to bear. Saffron could never face the thought of her family thinking she wasn't there anymore.

Her grandmother! Elinore Granger hadn't been in the best health for the last few months.

"Sir?" Saffron called out wiping at her eyes.

He didn't answer at first.

"Sir?" Saffron called out again. "My parents...do they think I'm...dead?"

"No," he finally answered.

"You've spoken to them?" Saffron asked.

"In a way," he replied.

"You've written to them?" Saffron guessed.

"Don't you worry about it," the voice said.

That was easy for him to say. She had nothing to do all day, but worry. She tried not to think about Sean, but every time she closed her eyes, she saw him stepping in front of her. He hadn't done anything wrong, but love her and it had gotten him killed.

And then she always thought about Andrew. Andrew, who she still loved; Andrew, who said he couldn't bear the thought of anything happening to her. Was he helping look for her too, she wondered?

"Sir?" Saffron asked again. "Have you heard anything about my friend, Alexa? Is she okay?"

The voice again didn't answer.

Saffron sighed. She had to believe Alexa was okay.

She rolled onto her side and pulled her knees up into her chest. The room was chilly and the oatmeal had only been lukewarm at best.

This man obviously was out for revenge, but why was he going about it this way? Did he want money? Was he enjoying watching her parents suffer?

She sniffed again, her thoughts once more wandering back to Andrew. She missed him so much. Aside from wanting to be in her parents arms, his were a very close second.

She wished he were here right now, lying beside her. No, she wouldn't want him here. She pictured them on the beach at Brighton, looking up at the night sky.

It was the first summer they were there. It was close to midnight and they had sneaked outside together.

"I want that star," Saffron pointed. "That really, really bright one."

"I'd get it for you if I could," Andrew said putting his arm around her.

"I know you would," she snuggled up against him.

"I cannot tell you how many times I thought about being with you like this," Andrew said softly. "After that whole thing with Peter..."

"That's way over and done with," Saffron said. "I love you."

"I love you too," Andrew said giving her a kiss.

"Let's stay here forever," Saffron said between kisses. "Never move from this spot again..."

"You realise that if we did that, we'd never play Quidditch again," Andrew teased.

"Okay," she laughed. "We can move ONLY to play Quidditch."

"Where you'd probably knock me off of my broom," Andrew said tickling her.

"Only if you're in my way," Saffron slapped at his hands.

"Someone doesn't like to be tickled, do they?" Andrew asked gleefully. '

"No and you know it!" Saffron pushed his fingers away.

"I just can't control myself," Andrew laughed reaching for her again.

"You'd better knock it off if you ever plan on snogging me again," Saffron warned with a grin.

"Okay, okay," Andrew said stopping. "I don't know if I could go without snogging you."

"I don't think you could," Saffron pushed him down and rolled on top of him. "I know I couldn't."

Andrew reached up and cupped her cheek in his hand. "Saffron Grace Potter."

"Yes?" she asked, grinning down at him.

"I love you," Andrew said grinning up at her.

"I love you too," she pushed back his hair. "I love you so much."

Andrew brought her face down and softly kissed her.

"Mmmm..." she purred deep in her throat.

Andrew's arms snaked around her waist.

"More," she whispered.

Andrew grinned up at her. "Your wish..."

"Is my command?" she finished impishly.

"That sounds about right," Andrew said softly. "I would do anything in this world for you, Saffy."

"I know," she said softly. "And I love you for it. You've made me so happy."

"Even if I am the better Quidditch player," Andrew said trying to keep a straight face.

"That's what you think," Saffron retorted.

"That's what I know," Andrew countered.

"Never," Saffron said, shaking her head.

"Okay," Andrew said. "You might be a little better than me..."

She laughed. "Oh maybe..."

"You're much better than me," Andrew relented. "I'm comfortable enough in my masculinity to admit it."

She kissed him again. "That's why I love you so much."

"I love you too," Andrew whispered. "Saffron Grace," the voice said interrupting her thoughts. "Wake up..."

"What?" she asked blearily.

"I'd like you to repeat something for me," the voice said. "Can you do that for me?"

"Andrew?" Saffron asked. "Andrew are you here?"

The voice laughed. "No, my sweet. It's not Andrew. It's your father..."

"Daddy?" Saffron asked hopefully.

"I'm glad that you're gone," the voice said, sounding eerily like her father.

Saffron wasn't sure if she was still sleeping or not. "What?"

"I haven't been looking for you," the voice taunted her. "I never wanted you or your brother and sister. And your mother the Mudblood---"

"STOP!" Saffron cried out.

"Don't like hearing the truth, do you?" the voice mocked.

"You aren't my father," Saffron said, tears in her eyes. "He'd never say these things. He loves us."

"I tolerated you," he said angrily. "Your mother failed me in so many ways."

"Mum never failed anyone," Saffron whispered.

"Your mother is cold and heartless," the voice said bitterly. "She betrayed me."

"My mother is warm, loving, and one of the most compassionate people I know." Saffron retorted. "So is my father."

The voice laughed haughtily. He didn't sound like her father this time. "Why so sad? You said you wanted to talk to your father...."

"You aren't my father!" she cried out. "Stop playing games with me! I just want to go home!"

"Not yet," he warned her. "I have to leave you now, my sweet. I'll be back with your lunch...and maybe something else..."

"What?" she asked, trembling.

"You'll see," he said happily. "Goodbye for now."

"You bastard!" Saffron screamed, banging the wall. "LET ME OUT OF HERE!"

There was no response and Saffron slid down against the wall. "I just want to go home..."

Meanwhile back in England, Ethan was on his thirteenth day straight in the office. He'd been home to shower and grab a few hours of sleep but other than that, he'd been working feverishly to discover his sister's whereabouts.

"I'm going to go on back down to Knockturn Alley," Ethan told Justin. "I'm going to see if anyone else is willing to give up information on Dolohov."

"I'll go with you," Justin offered.

Ethan shook his head. "You don't have to, mate. I know you're knackered. Go home. "

"You sure?" Justin asked. "I don't mind."

"I'm positive," Ethan replied, reaching for his wand. "I'll check in with you when I get back."

"Sounds good mate," Justin said. "See you later."

Ethan nodded. He thought briefly about checking with his father, but his father was in a briefing.

He decided to go and be back before anyone even realised he was gone. Perhaps he'd bring back some news.

They needed something good to go on. Ethan got angry just thinking about the latest letter from the kidnapper.

When he got his hands on the bastard, he was going to wring Dolohov's neck, especially if he'd done anything to hurt Saffron.

He decided to start his search at Borgin & Burkes. Mr. Borgin saw quite a few wizards and witches and someone might have said something about his sister.

He pulled a dark cloak over his robes and headed into the run down shop.

Mr. Borgin looked up from his spot behind the counter. "Can I help you with something, sir?"

"You can tell me if Nikolai Dolohov has been in here recently," Ethan said in a low voice. "Or if you've heard of his whereabouts."

"Potter," Mr. Borgin said with a resigned sigh. "I've told you, I don't know anything."

"And for some reason, I just don't believe you," Ethan said evenly.

"I haven't heard anything," Borgin retorted. "And I'm sick of you Aurors coming in here and acting like I had something to do with your sister's disappearance or the death of that Muggle!"

"No one ever said you had anything to do with it," Ethan snapped. "But you have friends, friends that know people like Dolohov."

"Are you talking about Nikolai Dolohov?" an old witch asked in a raspy voice.

"Yes," Ethan spun around.

Borgin rolled his eyes. He didn't want to have any part of this. Without a word, he headed off to the back of the shop to help a customer.

"I know where Dolohov is hiding," the old witch told Ethan.

Ethan put a hand on his wand. "Where?"

The witch placed a cold, bony hand on Ethan's arm. "Godric's Hollow."

"What?" Ethan asked. "That's a strange place for him to be hiding out--"

"Don't you see?" she asked. "He's toying with your father..."

"By taking my sister," Ethan said angrily.

The old witch nodded. "I would have come forward sooner, but he's very dangerous, as you well know..."

"I know," Ethan nodded.

Ethan hesitated. He didn't know who this woman was or why she would be offering to help him. The fact that she was in Knockturn Alley was telling. But, it did sound like something Dolohov would do.

"Thank you," Ethan said nodding. "I appreciate the tip." he was slightly wary, but couldn't let this go un-investigated.

"You should hurry," she told him. "I heard her screaming this morning."

Ethan's blood ran cold. "You heard my sister?"

The witch nodded. "The poor dear..."

Ethan couldn't hear any more. He hurriedly left Borgin and Burke's.

He would search through every single house in Godric's Hollow if he had to. He thought briefly about calling for backup, but time was of the essence. He needed to find Saffron now.

He Apparated away and to the desolated stretch of land where his grandparents once lived. It was a dark, almost abandoned neighbourhood. Ethan couldn't imagine anyone living there now.

He withdrew his wand and held it out in front of him.

"HELP!" Saffron's voice called out. "PLEASE!"

"Saffy!" Ethan shouted.

"OVER HERE!" Saffron called out in the distance. "ETHAN, PLEASE!"

Ethan used his wand to open a door, holding the piece of wood in front of him for protection.

"Saffy?" Ethan called out uncertainly.

"Ethan!" Saffron's voice cried. "I'm in here! Help me!"

Ethan slowly walked up the stairs keeping his eye out for any movement, any sound.

"Ethan hurry!" his sister called. "I'm in here!"

Ethan made it to the top of the stairs. "Saffy---"

His voice died when he saw a figure step out in front of him.

"Stupefy!" the figure shouted.

Ethan didn't have time to react before slumping to the ground.

The man pulled off his cloak and smiled. That had been easy. He had to only now wait for the other to arrive.

Back at the real house where Saffron was being kept, the teenager sighed. She had to focus and think of some way to get out of here.

She knew her kidnapper was gone, so she took this opportunity to start trying the door, the grimy window, and see if there were any weak spots in the walls again.

"UGH!" Saffron groaned in frustration.

She'd never felt so helpless in all her life. She hated this man for what he was doing to her, and for what he was putting her family through.

"Stand back, little one," the voice called out to her, startling her.

Saffron stumbled over the pile of blankets that had been her bed.

The door slowly opened and he pushed something into the room. It fell to the floor with a thud. Before Saffron could react, the door slammed shut.

She held back for a few moments- whatever it was her kidnapper had put in there, it was large and unmoving.

Curiosity got the better of her and she knelt down and slowly peeled away the blanket. "Ethan?" Saffron whispered.

Her brother didn't respond and didn't move, and for a terrible moment, Saffron thought he was dead.

"Ethan, please," Saffron said touching his cheek. "Please be okay..."

It was a good half hour before Ethan finally stirred. Saffron let out a choked sob of relief as he sat up gingerly.

His head was hurting and he felt woozy. "Maddie?"

"Ethan," Saffron whimpered. "It's me..." she almost feared another trick like the one her captor had pulled that morning.

Ethan blinked and everything seemed to come into focus. "Saffy---oh, Saffy!"

"Ethan," Saffron threw herself at her brother.

Ethan hugged her tightly. "Saffy, are you real?"

Saffron held onto him. "Ethan, you have to get us out of here!"

Ethan pulled away to look at her. "Did he do anything to you?"

"No," Saffron answered. "Just... he talks through the walls or something. He can see everything I do in here."

"Hermione, you know I don't do that!" the voice shouted back, startling both of them.

"Who are you?" Ethan demanded, struggling to his feet.

"You know, I shouldn't care for you since you look the most like him," the voice called back.

"What is he talking about?" Saffron whispered.

Ethan shrugged.

"Ethan, Julie and Saffron," the voice called back in a dreamlike voice.

"How does he know about Julie?" Saffron trembled.

Ethan didn't answer. His eyes trained on the bundle of blankets he'd been lying next to.

"Don't you worry," the voice said. "Pretty soon, we'll all be together. The family that you should have had all along."

"What are you talking about?" Saffron shouted as Ethan peeled back the blanket.

Saffron stood behind her brother. "What is it?"

"Oh my God," Ethan stared at the figure crumpled in the blanket.

"What?" Saffron asked.

"Dolohov," Ethan uttered.

"Is he---?" Saffron asked. "But if---"

"He's dead," Ethan said, staring.

Saffron winced as the smell hit her. "Why would he put him in here with us?"

"I don't know," Ethan said. "But Saffy... we've been looking for Dolohov because we thought he was responsible for this."

Saffron took this all in. "So, if wasn't him, who is it?"

"I don't know," Ethan admitted, covering the body back up.

"Hermione?" the voice called out. "Please don't be frightened. I did it for you."

"Why's he talking about Mum?" Saffron was quite frightened now.

The door suddenly flew open and Ethan pushed his sister behind him.

"Hermione, please don't be upset," the older man said holding out his hand to her. "Hermione, please..."

"Who the HELL are you?" Ethan asked angrily.

"Hermione," the man said in a comforting tone. "It's me...Shhhh....."

Ethan reached for his wand, but it was gone. "She's not Hermione," he snapped. "She's my sister, and you're going to let us out of here!"

"I can't do that," the older man said apologetically. "Oh, Hermione, you're just as beautiful as I remembered..."

Saffron clung to her brother. "Ethan..."

"Wait a minute," Ethan stared at him. "I know you. My parents told me about you a long time ago..."

"Who is he?" Saffron whispered.

"Gordon Devereaux," Ethan said coldly.

He smiled back at them. "I should have been your father."

"No way," Saffron shook her head.

Ethan ran at him, but he had some strong wards set up and Ethan fell back.

"Don't try me, Potter." Gordon glared down at him. "I've been waiting for this for a long, long time."

"Waiting for what, you son-of-a-bitch?" Ethan asked. "Hmm? What are you planning?"

He smiled coldly, but his look softened when he glanced back at Saffron.

"My sweet Hermione," he said softly. "You look just like how I remembered."

"Hermione is my mother," Saffron backed up, shaking.

"I'm going to right the wrongs," Gordon said not hearing her. "You were supposed to be with me. We were going to have our own family. I--I went about it the wrong way before, but I've figured it all out now. You, me, and your children....we'll be a family. I have a new home for us and everything."

"You're sick," Saffron said. "You're sick and you need help."

"I spent nearly 35 years in that horrible place!" he screamed at her. "THEY DIDN'T HELP ME!"

Saffron cowered. "Ethan..."

"Its okay, Saffy," Ethan said putting his arm around her.

Gordon seemed to focus at the mention of Saffron's name. "Little one, don't be afraid. You have your brother here and soon you will have your sister and your mother. Your father will be all alone."

Saffron's eyes filled with tears. "Just let us go," she pleaded.

The man pointed his wand at Dolohov and muttered a spell. Dolohov's body disappeared. "I'll leave you two to get reacquainted."

He left the room, slamming the door again behind him. Ethan immediately ran over and tried to open it.

"Ethan, who is Gordon Devereaux?" Saffron asked.

Ethan sighed. "He's a bloke who Mum went to school with at Beauxbatons. They met up again right after our parents moved in with each other. He was obsessed with her, and stalked her."

Saffron gaped at her brother. She wondered why no one had ever told her about this.

"He kidnapped Mum right after Dad proposed," Ethan continued. "Was going to take her to Iceland or something, to perform a spell that would bind them together forever."

"Daddy stopped him though obviously," Saffron said softly.

"Yeah," Ethan nodded. "He did."

"So what happened?" Saffron asked. "Did they throw him in Azkaban?"

"In St. Mungos," Ethan shook his head. "In the mental ward."

"And they let him out?" Saffron asked angrily. "He's insane!"

"I don't know how he got out, Saffy." Ethan took a good look at his sister. Her face was pale, her hair tangled and dirty, but she didn't look harmed in any way.

"Oh, Ethan!" Saffron cried, hugging him.

"I'm so glad you're all right," Ethan hugged her tightly. "We've all been so worried."

"I'm sorry that you've worried," Saffron said, sobbing into his shoulder. "I've missed you all so much!"

"Don't apologise," Ethan said. "We're going to get out of here Saf."

"How's Mum?" Saffron asked in a small voice.

"She's all right," Ethan said. "We're all holding it together."

"Um...Lexie?" Saffron asked, not sure if she could take hearing the fate of her best friend. "Is she---"

Ethan sighed. "She can't remember anything after your fifth year at school."

Saffron stared at him. "She lost two years of her memory?"

"The healers don't think it's permanent," Ethan said. "But she thinks she's going out with RJ again."

Saffron shook her head. "Ethan..."

"He's pretending to go along with it for now," Ethan told her.

Saffron looked up at him. "This is such a mess."

"I know," Ethan said. "And as usual, I didn't do things right. I didn't call for backup and I went to Godric's Hollow on the word of some old witch. I'll be surprised if I'm not sacked when we get out of here... if we get out of here."

"Ethan," Saffron said gently. "Don't talk like that. You're not going to be sacked. You were looking for me. Dad probably would have done the same thing."

"Dad would have done it the right way," Ethan let his head thump against the wall. "I have to get out of here. I can't leave Mads by herself."

"Ethan," Saffron said. "We are going to get out of here. We're going to get out of here hopefully before he takes Julie or Mum."

Ethan got up and went over to the window and tried to push up on it.

"I've tried it a thousand times," Saffron told him.

"There's got to be a way out of here," Ethan hit the wall with his fist.

"There's not," Saffron said. "I've tried everything. He's warded this place...there's no way out."

"There HAS to be a way out," Ethan insisted.

Gordon smiled as he watched Saffron and Ethan. It was easier to look at Saffron since she reminded him of Hermione. Ethan looked too much like Potter.

"Soon, my sweet," he whispered. "We'll all be together."

Gordon pulled out the worn photograph he had of the Potters. He had cut it out of the paper. They were all smiling and happy. Gordon had long since cut Harry out of the picture. He didn't belong there. He never had.

His finger traced over Hermione. It had been years and years, but she was still the most beautiful woman he'd ever seen.

"Hermione Jane Granger Devereaux," Gordon whispered. "My lovely wife. And our three children...Saffron, Julie, and Ethan...

"Yes," he continued. "My two girls look just like their mum." He set the photograph down and sat back down at his desk. He was going to write a letter. He figured now that he had the boy, it was time to set the next part of the plan in motion.

Back at the Ministry, Harry emerged from a nearly three hour briefing with Kingsley, Lupin and Neville. He decided to stop in and see if his son had learned anything new on Saffron's disappearance.

Ethan and Justin's office was empty. "Natalie?" Harry asked turning around. "Have you seen Ethan?"

"Not for awhile," Natalie answered. "I think he went out to Knockturn Alley."

"With Justin?" Harry asked.

"I'm not sure," Natalie said apologetically.

"Thanks," Harry said absently. "If you see him, tell him I'm looking for him."

"Will do," Natalie replied.

"I'm going to head upstairs to see my wife," Harry told her.

"If I hear anything, I'll send for you right away," Natalie promised.

Harry nodded and left headquarters. He was anxious to see his wife and reassure her.

He only wished he had more news for her. They'd set more Aurors on the case, but absolutely nothing had turned up. Harry couldn't remember ever feeling more frustrated than he did right now.

His wife was sitting at her desk when he walked inside. "Sweetheart?"

Hermione looked up. "Have you heard anything new?" she asked without preamble.

Harry shook his head. "No. Ethan apparently went to Knockturn Alley again to see if he could find out anything."

"By himself?" Hermione asked in alarm.

"I think Justin was with him," Harry said. "I was in a briefing so I'm not sure."

"Maybe we should go there and look for him," Hermione rose from her desk.

"Knockturn Alley isn't safe for you, Hermione," Harry said.

"If you're with me, I'll be fine," Hermione said.

"Hermione," Harry said shaking his head. "I don't think it's a good idea for us to go down there. Not to mention the fact that Ethan is a big boy. He and Justin would call for backup if they needed it."

Hermione sighed. "I guess I'm just a little overprotective these days." She sat back down and rubbed her eyes.

Harry walked around the desk and stood behind his wife massaging her shoulders. "That's understandable."

Hermione closed her eyes. "I need this to be over, Harry. I want my baby back home with us."

"She will be," Harry promised. "She's a fighter. Just like her mum."

Hermione nodded. "I hope so."

There was a knock on the door. "Come in," Hermione called out. Maddie hurried into the room looking like she had just see a ghost. "Have you---have you seen Ethan?"

"He went down to Knockturn Alley," Harry told her.

Maddie shook her head. "No, please....I saw....I saw him...."

"Saw him?" Hermione got up again. "Saw him... do what?"

"Ethan," Maddie said breathlessly. "He---he---"

Hermione went pale and sagged against her husband.

"Maddie," Harry said holding onto his wife. "What....did...you...see?"

"Ethan," Maddie cried out. "I saw him going up a set of stairs and this man came out of nowhere!"

"What did he do?" Hermione asked. "Please Maddie--"

"I don't know!" Maddie exclaimed. "That was all I could see!"

"It's okay," Harry reassured her. "Maddie... we'll figure this out."

Maddie felt faint and she grabbed onto the edge of Hermione's desk.

"Maddie," Hermione rushed to her daughter in law.

"I'm---I'm okay," Maddie said hoarsely. "Can I have a glass of water?"

"Of course," Harry hurried over to the pitcher on the other side of the room.

"Sit down," Hermione urged. "I'm sure---I'm sure that Ethan is fine."

Maddie nodded and was about to say something when she heard a voice.

We have to get out of here. I can't let them go through this again.

"Maddie?" Harry asked, handing her the glass of water.

"Excuse me," Maddie turned away, holding her hand over her mouth.

"Madeline," Hermione said helping her daughter-in-law to the bathroom.

For a long few minutes, Maddie retched while she heard several voices in her head. "Please stop," she whispered.

"Maddie," Hermione said patting her back. "What is it, sweetheart?"

"I don't know," she said miserably. "I hear these voices... and it makes me sick."

"Harry?" Hermione called out. "Can you bring that glass of water?"

Harry carried it to the door. "Are you all right, Maddie?"

"I don't know," Maddie replied weakly.

"It's okay," Hermione soothed. "Just sit here and relax for a moment."

Maddie nodded. "I don't know what's wrong with me. I was thinking it was stress, but now I'm not so sure."

"Perhaps you should get yourself checked by a healer then," Hermione said. "Or if you're getting sick when you hear these voices, you might want to talk to Smythe about it."

"I just want to know where Ethan is," Maddie said, tears welling up in her eyes.

"I'll go down to Knockturn Alley," Harry said. "I'll get him for you."

"And I'll take you to St. Mungos," Hermione said firmly. "Come on, Maddie. Ethan would want you to get checked out."

"Okay," Maddie agreed weakly.

"Ethan and I will meet you there," Harry promised.

"Hurry," Hermione said to her husband, giving him a quick kiss.

Maddie hoped that Harry would find Ethan, safe and sound. She wished he was here with her right now. She had never been more scared in her life.

"Come on love," Hermione said. "We'll ring your parents when we get to St. Mungos."

"Okay," Maddie said weakly.

Fifteen minutes later, thanks to Hermione's pull as Minister, found them sitting in an examination room.

Hermione was glad to see Pansy Parkinson walk in the room. "Pansy, thank you for agreeing to see us on short notice."

"It's not a problem," Pansy said. "How are you doing? Has there been any news on Saffron?"

"Nothing yet," Hermione shook her head.

Pansy looked sympathetically at her. "If Gregory and I can do anything to help---"

"Thank you," Hermione nodded. "I'll let you know."

Pansy picked up Maddie's chart. "Hello, Madeline. What seems to be the problem?"

"I um... I've been hearing voices in my head lately," Maddie said quietly. "And when it happens, I get dizzy and quite ill."

"Voices?" Pansy asked. "What sorts of voices?"

"Thoughts," Maddie said. "It's almost like I can read people's minds, except I hear what they're saying."

Pansy nodded and wrote this down on the chart.

There was a knock on the door. "Excuse me, Healer Parkinson, but Mrs. Potter's mother, Luna Weasley is here."

"I've also sent for Smythe," Hermione said as Luna came in.

Luna gave her daughter a hug. "My sweet girl."

"It just keeps happening Mum," Maddie said. "And now I'm so afraid something's happened to Ethan."

Luna squeezed her hand. "It's okay. It's going to be fine. Your father's waiting outside."

"Okay," Maddie said, feeling a little better now that her mother was there.

Pansy began her preliminary examination. She took Maddie's temperature and checked her other vitals. Everything seemed to be normal. Maddie took that as a good sign.

"When was your last period, Madeline?" Pansy asked.

"I um... spotted last month a bit," Maddie replied as there was another knock on the door.

Hermione opened the door. "Oh, hello, Smythe."

"I came as quickly as I could," Smythe said.

"Thank you for being here," Hermione said. "And now that you are, I think I'll go out in the waiting room and wait with Ronald."

"Thank you," Maddie said to her mother in law. "For bringing me."

Hermione squeezed her hand. "Of course."

"You've been hearing those voices again, Madeline?" Smythe asked her.

Maddie nodded. "And right afterwards, I get really sick."

"That sounds like something I've read about before," Smythe said. "About a Seer that worked with my predecessor."

Pansy was continuing her own examination while Smythe spoke with Maddie. She had an idea what was possibly wrong.

"But I've never heard these voices before," Maddie told Smythe. "It only started to happen in the last couple of months. It's really strange."

Smythe nodded. "Madeline... that Seer... she was pregnant. And her child was the one who could hear voices, read thoughts."

215. Chapter 215

Authors’ note: We knew that last chapter would surprise you guys! Mwhahahahahaha!

"P-pregnant?" Maddie stammered.

Luna gasped. "Maddie's pregnant?"

"Yes," Pansy replied. "Over three months along, actually."

Maddie stared at them, her mouth open. "I'm going to have a baby?"

Pansy nodded and smiled at her. "Yes, you are."

"Oh Merlin," Maddie couldn't believe her ears.

Luna squeezed her daughter's hand. "Maddie, this is fantastic news!"

"But Ethan's not here to share it with me," Maddie said softly.

"He will be," Luna reassured her. "I'm sure that Harry will bring him by as soon as he finds him and he's going to be so happy!"

"This is wonderful, Madeline," Smythe said. "I know how long you've been waiting for this."

Maddie felt tears welling up in her eyes. She and Ethan had been trying for what seemed like forever.

"Sweetheart," Luna hugged her. "Come on; let’s go tell your father. He's going to be over the moon- to have another grandchild to spoil!"

Maddie smiled. "Oh Mum..."

"This is wonderful," Luna smoothed her daughter's hair back.

Maddie looked at her mother. "I hope that I'm as good a Mum as you've been to us.”

"You will be," Luna assured her. "You're going to be a wonderful mother."

"I'm going to give you some prenatal vitamins," Pansy told Maddie. "You should take them twice a day."

"Of course," Maddie nodded her hands on her stomach.

"Will she continue to hear the voices that the baby hears?" Luna asked Smythe.

"As long as she's pregnant, that's quite likely," Smythe nodded. "But you may not experience the sickness all the time. Only time will tell."

"This is so surreal," Maddie said.

"Of course it is, right now." Luna said. "I felt the same way when I found out I was pregnant with your brothers."

"I'll want to see you back here in about a month, Maddie," Pansy told her.

Maddie nodded. "Thank you," she said. "Thank you so much."

"You're quite welcome," Pansy said. "Congratulations."

Maddie, Luna and Smythe left the examination room. Ron and Hermione stood when they saw the three women.

"Is everything okay?" Ron asked. "Maddie?"

"I'm pregnant, Daddy." Maddie said softly.

Ron let out an excited yell which caused the nurse at the front desk to shoot him a warning look.

Ron gave his daughter a bear hug. "Congratulations, baby!"

"Thank you Daddy," Maddie hugged him back. "I'm still in a little bit of shock."

"This is wonderful news!" Hermione exclaimed. In fact, it was the only good news, she'd had in weeks.

"So you don't all mind that Ethan and I are making you grandparents again?" Maddie asked.

"Not at all," Hermione said giving her a hug.

"My baby is the one who can hear the voices," Maddie explained. "And while I'm pregnant, I'll hear them too."

Ron looked at his wife who told him she'd explain later.

"Have you heard from Harry and Ethan?" Maddie asked Hermione.

"Not yet," Hermione told her. "But I'm sure that they'll check in soon. And when Saffy hears that she's going to be an aunt again..."

"Of course," Maddie nodded. "And Julie, and my sisters too..."

"You just wait until Molly and Arthur Weasley find out about this," Ron said giving his daughter another hug.

"I think we're all due for one of Nana's killer hugs then," Maddie said, tears springing to her eyes. "Oh... I can't wait to tell Ethan. We've been waiting for this for so long."

Hermione surreptiously looked at her watch. Harry hadn't checked in yet and she was really starting to get worried, especially given Maddie's vision.

"We should try and get everyone together to celebrate," Luna said to Ron.

Maddie shook her head. She knew that half their family was in no mood to celebrate. "Once Saffy comes home, we can celebrate."

"If that's what you like, sweetheart." Ron kissed the side of her head.

"It wouldn't be a real party without Saffron," Maddie said looking at her mother-in-law.

"No," Hermione agreed sadly. "It wouldn't..."

"There's Harry," Ron said catching sight of his friend walking through the front doors.

"Where's Ethan?" Hermione asked immediately. "Harry?"

"I don't know," Harry admitted. "The last place he was spotted was Borgin & Burkes. Someone said they saw him speaking with some old witch...he ran out of the shoppe and that was the last anyone saw of him."

Hermione went completely white. "No one's seen him?"

Maddie looked at her father-in-law. "My vision was true?"

"I don't know," Harry said. "I already put word out and Neville's sent a team to go find him."

Hermione sank down into the chair. This bastard was targeting her children. "Julie," Hermione choked out. "Harry---you have to make sure Julie---"

Harry nodded tersely. "I'll go get her right now. I'll see if she and Nick and the girls want to stay with us."

Maddie put her hand to her stomach. This couldn't be happening.

Her vision blurred and suddenly she saw something that made her knees buckle. Ethan, sitting with Saffron in a cold, dimly lit room.

Ethan put his arm around his sister who was crying about something.

"They're together," Maddie whispered.

"What?" Ron asked. "What did you say, sweetheart?"

"Ethan and Saffy," Maddie replied. "They're together in a room. Saffy's...Saffy's upset."

Luna grasped her daughter's hands. "Madeline--"

"Are they okay?" Hermione asked urgently.

"I don't know," Maddie blinked. "I think so..."

Maddie saw Saffron flinch as an unknown voice called out her mother's name. "Hermione, maybe you should come and sit with me..."

"SHE'S STAYING IN HERE WITH ME!" Ethan shouted.

"He's yelling," Maddie said breathlessly. "Whoever is there is trying to tempt her out."

"What else?" Harry urged.

"Ethan won't let her go," Maddie's eyes filled with tears as the vision went black. "Oh Merlin... Ethan's been kidnapped..." she began to sob.

Ron hugged his daughter. "Maddie, sweetheart..."

"He can't be gone," Maddie was nearly hysterical. "He can't be, Daddy!"

"He's not, baby," Ron tried to reassure her. "He's not...calm down, it's not good for the baby."

"Baby?" Harry asked.

"Maddie's pregnant," Hermione said quietly.

Maddie barely heard this. She sobbed into her father's shoulder. "I need Ethan, Daddy."

"Its okay sweetheart," Ron rubbed her back. "We'll find him, okay? We'll find both of them."

"I have to go," Harry said. "I need to check on Julie and I have to get back to headquarters."

"We'll get Hermione home," Luna promised. "Just make sure Julie and her family is okay."

Harry nodded and gave his wife a hug. "Hermione, I'm going to bring them home."

"Please," Hermione nodded. "Please bring them home."

"I love you," Harry said softly, kissing her forehead.

"I love you too," Hermione whispered.

Harry took off for his eldest daughter's house, hoping that he wasn't too late. He had to keep his anger in check.

He was angry at himself, mostly, for allowing this to happen again.

At the Malfoy home, Julie was trying to work on her lesson plans for the coming year, but she was finding it hard to concentrate.

"Mummy?" Ashley said. "Have you heard anything?"

Julie shook her head. "No, sweetheart. Nothing."

Ashley sighed. "Mummy, I'm so scared for Aunt Saffy."

Julie motioned to her and Ashley sat down in her mother's lap. "I know. I am, too."

"What if they don't find her?" Ashley asked in a small voice.

"They will," Julie said smoothing her daughter's hair back.

Ashley was about to say something else when her grandfather came tumbling out of the fireplace.

"Grandpa?" Ashley asked.

Harry coughed. "Jules... I'd really like it if you, Nick, Greta and the girls would come stay with us for a few days."

"What?" Julie asked, as she and Ashley stood up. "Dad---"

"Something happened, didn't it?" Ashley asked.

"Ethan," Harry couldn't face his daughter.

"Ethan?" Julie asked. "What's happened to Ethan?"

"Grandpa?" Ashley asked.

"He's with Saffy," Harry replied quietly.

"Oh?" Ashley asked, a smile breaking across her face. "They're okay? Can we go and see them?"

"No baby," Julie said. "I think Grandpa means Ethan's been kidnapped as well." Tears welled up in her eyes. "Dad-- do they think someone's going to come after me?"

Harry looked properly at his daughter. "Yes," he said quietly.

"No!" Ashley exclaimed, putting her arms around her mother.

Julie hugged her daughter to her. "I'll get a hold of Nick," she said. "We'll all be packed in a half hour."

"Why are they doing this?" Ashley asked looking up at her mother. "Why are they going after us?"

"I don't know, baby." Julie said. "But why don't you go get your things together and tell Katie to do the same?"

Ashley nodded, but was reluctant to leave her mother.

"I'll be right here," Julie promised.

"Pinky swear?" Ashley asked.

Julie held out her pinky finger. "Pinky swear."

Ashley nodded. "I'll be really quick Mummy, I promise."

"I'll be up to help," Julie promised.

She looked back at her father when Ashley had gone. "Daddy what happened? How did Dolohov get Ethan?"

"He tricked him, is my best guess," Harry said turning away. "Made him think there was a lead on Saffy...."

Julie wiped at her eyes as her father hugged her tightly.

"I keep thinking that this can't really be happening," Harry said hoarsely.

"I know," Julie said in a small voice. "I'm scared, Dad. I couldn't handle it if anything... anything else happened to them."

"I keep trying to reassure your mum," Harry said quietly. "But, it all sounds hollow even to me...I let this happen."

"You couldn't control this, Dad." Julie told him.

"I'm not so sure," Harry said.

Julie shook her head. "You didn't."

"I'm just really glad that you'll be at the house with us and we can keep an eye on you," Harry said.

Julie nodded. "I'll go pack. And ring Nick."

"The house is guarded by some of my best Aurors," Harry told her. "You and the girls will be safe there."

"I hope so," Julie said before leaving the room.

Harry couldn't stand watching this happen to his family. Ethan and Saffron were Merlin knows where dealing with a crazy madman. What was worse if that Dolohov was one step ahead of them at every turn.

"Mum wants us to get ready right now," Ashley was telling her sister. "We're going to stay at Grandpa and Grandma's for a few days."

""How long?" Katie asked.

"I don't know," Ashley decided to let her mother tell Katie about Ethan.

"I like sleeping in my own bed," Katie protested.

"Katie," Ashley sighed. "Come on, just pack, okay?"

"Fine," Katie said sighing.

Ashley hurried to her own room and packed up some of her art supplies and clothing. She figured she could send an owl to Zander and Brittany once she'd gotten to the mansion.

Julie looked in on Katie. "Do you need any help?"

Katie sighed. "Mummy, why do we have to go? I thought Caroline was going to come over this weekend."

Julie sat down on the edge of her daughter's bed. "Yes, we do. Something has happened."

"Something to Aunt Saffy?" Katie asked worriedly.

Julie shook her head. "No, Katie. Your Uncle Ethan...the same man that took your Aunt Saffy has taken your Uncle Ethan."

Katie gasped. "Uncle Ethan's gone too?"

Julie nodded, trying to hold back her tears. "And your Grandpa just wants to keep us all safe."

"Is the bad man going to get you too?" Katie asked.

Julie shook her head. "No. You don't have to worry about that. Your Grandpa and Grandma's house is protected."

"I'll get packed quick Mummy, I promise." Katie said, giving her mother a tight hug.

"That's my girl," Julie said patting Katie's back.

Katie wiped at her eyes as she pulled her red suitcase out of the closet and began to pack her clothing.

Julie stood up and walked out of the room. She needed to call Nick.

She quickly told Greta what was going on then went into the bedroom. She dialled Nick's mobile while packing a few articles of clothing.

"Jules?" Nick asked.

"Ethan's been kidnapped too," Julie said, her voice thick. "We're going to stay with my parents for a little while."

Nick was silent for a few moments as he let this sink in. "What the hell is going on, Jules?"

"I don't know," Julie wiped her eyes. "But they think Dolohov could be coming after me next."

"Over my dead body," Nick said. "Look, Julie...I'm going to say my goodbyes here and come home."

"Okay," Julie said. "Hurry, Nick. I need you here."

Nick clicked off the phone and seconds later he was back home. He rushed upstairs to check on his wife.

Julie ran into his arms as soon as she saw him. "I'm scared," she confessed.

Nick held her tightly. "Nothing's going to happen to you, Julie. I promise."

"What if he goes after the girls?" Julie wept.

"He's not going to get near them," Nick said. "Shhh....come on, Julie. It's going to be okay."

Julie nodded, pulling herself together. "I was just packing some things."

"Have you told the girls?" Nick asked.

Julie nodded.

Nick tilted her chin up and he looked at her. "We're going to go to your parents' house and we'll stay there as long as we need to. I want to keep you and the girls safe."

Julie gave him a kiss. "I love you, Nick."

"I love you, too," Nick said using his thumb to wipe a tear from her cheek.

"Keep me safe," she whispered, leaning against him.

"Daddy?" Katie asked from the doorway. "Me and Ashley are ready. Greta's downstairs."

"We'll be right there baby," Nick told her.

Katie looked a little reluctant to leave their sides, but she slowly walked downstairs with her sister. They saw Greta sitting on the sofa dabbing at her eyes with a tissue.

"Greta," Ashley ran over to her. "They're going to find Uncle Ethan and Aunt Saffy."

Greta nodded. "Of course they are."

Ashley leaned against their nanny while Katie kicked her foot against the table.

"At least Uncle Ethan and Aunt Saffy are together," Katie said trying to cheer up Greta. "I mean, they can lean on each other and stuff."

"I hope so, darling." Greta said.

Hermione was trying to draw comfort from that herself. She had arrived back at the house with Luna, Maddie, and Ron.

"Ethan's not going to let anything happen to Saffy," Ron said. "That boy would do anything for his family. You know that, Hermione."

"I know," Hermione said. "But Dolohov could do something to him before he could even realise it."

"Think positive," Luna told her.

"I'm trying," Hermione said as Luna squeezed her hand.

Maddie sat down on the other side of her mother-in-law. "We need to be strong for Ethan."

"Yes we do," Hermione looked at her daughter in law. "And for you, Maddie."

"And the baby," Maddie said softly.

"Ethan will be so happy when he finds out," Hermione said wistfully. "He wanted this as badly as you did, Maddie."

"He's going to be great father," Maddie said. "He's going to spoil the baby rotten."

Hermione smiled sadly. "Yes he will. Just like Harry."

Luna looked at one of the photographs on the coffee table. "Was this taken at the cottage?"

"When Ethan was about five," Hermione nodded.

Luna laughed. "He put on Harry's glasses! How cute!"

***

"Hey little man," Harry chuckled. "You know Daddy can't see without those."

"Everything looks weird," Ethan commented holding his hand out in front of his face.

"Because luckily, your eyesight is perfect," Harry blinked.

"I think we need a photograph of that," Julie said reaching for her camera. "You look just like Dad!"

"That's cause I'm the little man," Ethan said with a grin.

Julie snapped a picture of him. "That's perfect."

"All right," Harry said. "Now give me those glasses back."

Ethan shook his head. "No way."

"Come on," Harry grabbed for him. "Ethan James!"

Julie laughed as her brother managed to dart away from their father. "Dad, those old seeker reflexes aren't what they used to be, are they?"

"Apparently not," Harry grumbled.

"The little man and the old man," Julie teased.

"Jules," Harry said. "What have I told you about calling me that?"

"Never to do it," Julie replied picking up her baby brother. "Give Dad back his glasses, Ethan."

"Jules," Ethan squirmed. "I'm too big to be picked up!"

"You are never to big for me to pick up," Julie said giving him a kiss on the forehead. "You should be sweeter to me since I've only been back from school for a short time."

"I was sort of glad to see you," Ethan replied.

"Sort of," Julie said putting him down on the sofa. She tickled his side. "You missed me and you know it."

"Yeah I guess," Ethan grinned at her before handing Harry his glasses back.

"Okay," Hermione called out. "Dinner is ready."

Julie grinned. "Mum's lasagne."

"YUM!" Ethan shouted. "I get the biggest piece!"

"Good thing Uncle Ron doesn't know she's made it," Julie said with a laugh. "Otherwise, he'd be here right now."

Harry rolled his eyes. "Perish the thought."

Hermione was just setting the plates down on the table when her husband and children walked into the kitchen. Ethan took his customary seat beside his father. "Dad, can we go flying after dinner, please?"

"I don't know little man," Harry said. "It might be a bit chilly out."

"Oh," Ethan frowned.

"That and I'm not so fond of you flying at night," Hermione told her son. "It's dangerous."

"We've done it loads of times," Ethan blurted out.

"What?" Hermione raised an eyebrow.

"I wouldn't say loads of times," Harry said quickly. "Maybe once or twice..."

Julie hid her smile. "Come on Mum, you know Dad would never let anything happen to Ethan."

"Dad's the best," Ethan said beaming at his father.

"I suppose he is," Hermione said with a smile.

"I'm going to be an Auror just like him," Ethan announced. "And I'm going to be the best seeker Hogwarts has ever seen."

"You sure are," Harry agreed.

"Just watch out for," Julie whispered. "Severus Snape...."

"Who's that?" Ethan asked before taking a bite of his lasagne.

"He's a horrid, horrid professor," Harry interjected.

"Harry," Hermione chastised.

"He is, Hermione." Harry said defensively. "You had to sit by him, remember?"

"I'm sure he's a very nice man," Hermione said diplomatically.

"No he's not, Mum." Julie said. "He gave me detention for knowing the right answer."

Hermione looked at her daughter. "Julie--"

"I swear it," Julie replied. "He's really gross."

Hermione sighed. "Well, I'm going to have a talk with him. That's not fair."

"That'll just make it worse," Julie said. "It's fine, Mum, really."

Ethan gulped. "Why is he so mean to you Julie? If you knew the right answer? I thought that's what teachers like. It's what mine likes."

"Most of my other professors love it, Ethan." Julie told him. "But Snape... he's just different. You'll see when you get to Hogwarts."

"Oh," Ethan said.

"Who knows," Julie teased. "You might just win him over."

"Don't worry, little man," Harry said mussing his son's hair. "You still have a few years before you have to meet him."

"Good," Ethan was relieved.

"You sure you don't want to go to Beauxbatons like your Mum?" Hermione asked him.

"No way," Ethan said. "I want to go where dad went."

"You want to do everything Dad does," Julie teased.

"Duh," Ethan replied.

"Well, that's okay," Julie said. "He's a good man to look up to."

Harry sat up straight. "Of course I am."

Julie smiled at her father. "Even if he is an old.."

"Jules," Harry warned.

"...fashioned kind of bloke," Julie finished with a grin.

"Good save," Harry shook his head.

"Dad?" Ethan asked a few minutes later. "Did you catch any bad guys today?"

"Not today, little man." Harry replied.

"Did Uncle Neville?" Ethan asked.

"Nope," Harry said. "We don't catch bad guys every day."

"I bet when I'm an Auror, I'll catch bad guys every day, " Ethan announced.

"I bet you do too, little man." Harry ruffled his hair.

Ethan again beamed at his father. He happily finished the rest of his meal.

"He always wanted to do everything you did," Maddie said to her father in law.

Harry nodded. He felt another pang of guilt that was another reason his son found himself in this mess.

"I've got as many Aurors out as we can spare," Harry said. "I just... I don't even know where to start. Maddie, we should probably get your vision into a Pensieve."

Maddie nodded. "Of course."

"I've got one in my office here," Hermione rose. "I'll go get it."

"I hope it can help uncover some additional clues," Maddie said.

"I hope so as well," Hermione nodded. "I'll be right back."

The fireplace came to life just then and the Malfoys arrived one by one.

"Hi sweetheart," Harry stood up. "We're glad you got over here so quickly.”

"I just wish it was under better circumstances," Julie said dusting herself off.

"Hey, Grandma," Katie said coming over to give Hermione a hug. "Is Grandma Ellie here?"

"She's upstairs," Hermione said. "Resting... we... haven't told her about Ethan yet."

"She's still dealing with Saffy's disappearance," Harry said quietly. "I don't know how she's going to react to this..."

Hermione shook her head. "I need to get that Pensieve. I'll be right back."

"Hi, Aunt Maddie," Ashley said softly. "I'm sorry about Uncle Ethan."

"Hi sweetheart," Maddie opened her arms. "Come give me a hug."

Ashley hugged her aunt. "He's going to be okay. He and Aunt Saffy."

"I hope so, love." Maddie kissed the top of her niece's head.

"Maddie found out some good news today," Luna told them.

"What's that?" Julie asked, setting her bags down.

"Ethan and I are going to have a baby," Maddie told them softly.

Katie grinned. "Uncle Ethan's going to be a daddy!"

"That he is," Maddie replied.

Greta wiped at her eyes. She couldn't believe the little boy she'd helped raise was going to be a father.

"I'm happy for you Maddie," Julie hugged her sister in law tightly. "You and Ethan will be wonderful parents."

Maddie smiled. "He's going to be a great father."

"I can't wait for him to find out," Julie said softly. "When he and Saffy come home."

"He's going to be over the moon," Luna said putting an arm around her daughter.

"I just wish he were here," she said wistfully.

"He'll be home soon," Nick said. "Merlin, Mad. I remember when you were just four years old and the sweetest girl in the world. And now, look at you, about to become a mum."

Maddie smiled a bit. "Time has really flown, hasn't it?"

"It has," Nick said. "Seems like just yesterday I was meeting all of you for the first time."

Julie squeezed his hand.

"Frankie," Maddie said suddenly. "Can someone ring Frankie for me?"

"Of course," Luna replied. "I can do it. What do you want me to tell her, love?"

"To come over," Maddie said, her eyes welling up with tears again. "I need her here."

"Of course," Luna said squeezing her hand before getting up to make the call.

Ron took the seat beside Maddie and pulled her into a hug.

"Daddy," Maddie sobbed. "Why is this happening?"

"I wish I knew," Ron said gently. "Oh, sweetheart. I always did hate it when you cried."

"I'm sorry," Maddie wiped at her eyes.

"Don't you apologise," Ron said.

Harry watched this and felt another pang of guilt. His son should be here right now finding out that he was going to be a father. But because he was born a Potter, Ethan had been kidnapped, just like his baby sister.

A few minutes later, Frankie was rushing into the room. "Maddie? Your mum said it was important--"

"Frankie!" Maddie looked up from the sofa. "I'm so glad you're here. Something terrible has happened."

Frankie felt her heart drop right down into the floor. "Is it... Saffy?" she asked hoarsely.

Maddie shook her head. "No, it's...Ethan. Earlier today, he was kidnapped, too."

"What?" Frankie was aghast.

Ron explained what they knew so far.

"Maddie," Frankie sat down beside her. "I'm so sorry. If there's anything Will or I can do..."

"Having you here is a good start," Maddie said giving her best friend a hug. "Because.... because I also found out today that I'm pregnant."

For the second time in a few moments, Frankie's jaw dropped. "You're what?"

"Pregnant," Maddie repeated. "And that's not all...I've been hearing people's thoughts lately and I found out today that it's actually the baby who can hear the thoughts."

"Oh my goodness," Frankie said. "Maddie... that's amazing."

Maddie didn't have a chance to tell her best friend any more at that moment. Hermione came back with the pensieve and Maddie knew she had to transfer her vision. She hoped it would provide some clue.

It didn't take her long to transfer the memory of her vision into the pensieve. "I wish there was more I could do," she said.

"I don’t know what we would do without your visions," Harry reassured her. "Thank you, Maddie."

The blonde nodded. "I'll keep trying to see more."

"Just take it easy," Harry said.

"I will," Maddie promised.

"Come on, girls," Nick said to his daughters. "Let's get you settled into your rooms."

"Can I have the room that faces the back?" Katie asked.

Nick nodded. "You always stay in that room."

"Good," Katie said, satisfied.

Nick took them upstairs while Julie stayed behind. She wanted to see her first glimpse of her brother and sister in weeks.

She felt tears welling up in her eyes as she watched Ethan protect Saffron.

Harry put an arm around his oldest daughter and his other around his wife.

"What does he want from them?" Julie asked.

"I don't know," Harry said quietly.

"My babies," Hermione sobbed.

"I'm going to get them back," Harry said. "I swear it, Hermione."

Hermione pulled away from him. "Excuse me---"

She ran from the room.

Harry rushed after her. "Hermione!"

"Just leave me be," Hermione cried.

"No," Harry caught up to her. "Hermione--"

"You've been telling me for weeks you were going to bring her home!" Hermione shouted at him. "Weeks! And now...Ethan!"

"I know," Harry said. "I know. If I could trade places with both of them, I would. But I'm going to find them!"

Hermione turned away from him.

"We can't do this," Harry said. "We can't fall apart right now."

Hermione's back was still to him. She held herself responsible for this.

"Sweetheart," Harry said quietly. "Look at me."

Hermione slowly turned around to face him.

"This wasn't our fault," Harry said, trying to convince them both.

"This wouldn't have happened if this was Saffron and Ethan Smith. This is happening because this is Saffron Potter and Ethan Potter. Daughter and son of the Minister for Magic and the Boy Who Lived."

Harry reached for her. "And since we are the Minister for Magic and the Boy Who Lived, we have a hell of a lot of resources. I'm not going to rest for a moment until we bring them home."

Hermione sobbed into his shoulder.

Harry hugged her tightly. "We're going to be okay."

"I don't even know how I'm going to tell my mother," Hermione said hoarsely.

"I don't either," Harry admitted.

"I'm sorry," Hermione said looking up at him. "You're right. We can't fall apart now."

"It's okay," Harry touched her cheek. "We need each other more than ever, Hermione. We have to stay strong for our kids."

"I know," Hermione whispered.

"I love you," Harry said. "I'm going to fix this."

"We're going to fix this," Hermione corrected.

Harry kissed her forehead. "Right." he agreed. "We..."

216. Chapter 216

Authors’ note: We’re glad that you guys are enjoying the new storyline. There’s more drama ahead from all fronts. We hope you will continue to read and review!

Seamus walked into the penthouse and called out for his wife or his son. There was no response and he figured they were at the hospital or at Hermione and Harry's.

Lavender hadn't slept much in the past few weeks and Seamus wished there was something he could do to put her mind at ease.

To his surprise, he found his wife in their bedroom, packing a suitcase.

"I didn't realise you were home," Seamus said. "I called out but no one answered."

"Sorry," Lavender said absently. "I'm just packing."

"I can see that," Seamus replied. "Mind telling me where you're going?"

"I'm going to Harry and Hermione's," Lavender replied using her wand to neatly fold her clothes. "Aunt Ellie needs me."

Seamus nodded. "Okay. Want me to go with you?"

"You don't have to," Lavender said.

"Hey," Seamus caught her hand. "I want to be with you."

Lavender offered him a slight smile. "I know you do, but I know you're still working and you have a lot of things on your plate. Besides you have to keep an eye on Gabe."

Seamus sighed. "He's really taking this hard. Not that I blame him."

"At least he knows Alexa is safe," Lavender said. "Saffy and Ethan..."

"I know," Seamus said. "I wish there were something I could do to help aside from posting a reward."

"Dolohov doesn't want money," Lavender said bitterly.

"Well it's also for anyone who was valid information," Seamus said, wrapping her in his arms. "You know, Harry told me that Andrew's been at the Ministry every day helping go through the mail that's come in."

"He still cares about her," Lavender said hugging Seamus back. "Seamus, why is this happening?"

"I don't know sweetheart." he answered quietly.

"If something happens to them," Lavender said her voice breaking. "I--I don't know---"

"They'll find them," Seamus soothed. "And Alexa's going to be okay."

"And I hope Harry's the one to find Dolohov," Lavender said. "Usually, I abhor violence, but..."

"He'll kill him," Seamus said. "I know he will."

"His family is everything to him," Lavender agreed.

They were headed downstairs when they ran into Gabriel. "Off to hospital again, son?" Seamus asked.

"I just came back actually," Gabriel said glumly. "I was there when she woke up and it freaked her out. She asked me point blank why I was there. I couldn't think of anything to say and then RJ comes in....and she asked me to go."

"I'm sorry," Seamus said quietly. "I'm sure she'll start remembering soon."

"Yeah," Gabriel said dejectedly. He saw the suitcase in his dad's hand. "Are you going somewhere, Dad?”

"Lav's going to stay at Harry and Hermione's for a few days," Seamus told him.

"Oh," Gabriel replied.

"You're welcome to join here there, if you want." Seamus said.

"What about you?" Gabriel asked.

"I may come by in a day or so," he answered.

"I'll stay here with you, if that's okay," Gabriel told his father.

"Its fine," Lavender said softly.

"Any news on Saffy or Ethan?" Gabriel asked.

"Nothing," Lavender wiped at her eyes.

Gabriel gave her a hug. "Saffy always told me about how close you were."

"Are," Lavender hugged him back. "No past tenses."

"Right," Gabriel said. "She and Ethan are going to be fine."

Lavender nodded. "Take care of yourself, Gabe. And come by anytime."

"I will," Gabriel promised before heading upstairs to his room.

Lavender sighed. "I'd better get over there. Aunt Ellie needs me. So does Hermione."

Seamus nodded. "Are you going to be okay?"

"Hopefully," Lavender said.

Seamus gave her a kiss. "I love you."

"I love you too," Lavender held onto him a moment. "Take care of Gabe, okay?"

"I will," Seamus promised. A few minutes later, he found himself heading back upstairs to check on his son.

Gabriel was lying on his bed, staring up at the ceiling. An open textbook was next to him, but he couldn't concentrate on anything but the thought of Alexa.

Seamus knocked on the door. "Gabe?"

"Come in," Gabriel said quietly.

"Did you want to talk?" Seamus asked, coming inside.

Gabriel sighed. "I just don't know what to do, Dad. It's been weeks and she doesn't even recognise me a little."

"And everyone keeps telling you to be patient?" Seamus guessed.

"Exactly," Gabriel said bitterly.

"I guess I'll skip that part," Seamus said dryly.

"If this was a movie, how would it end?" Gabriel asked. "Would she remember me, you think?"

"She would and there would be a happy ending with the heroine gazing up into the hero's eyes and telling him that she loved him and then cue the love theme..."

"Now that's just cheesy," Gabriel said, smiling for the first time in days.

"Yes, but it is tried and true," Seamus said grinning back at him.

"I'll take it," Gabriel said, his smile fading a bit.

"She's going to remember, son," Seamus tried to reassure him.

At the moment though, Alexa was content to be with RJ. She'd convinced him to play a game of cards with her and she was winning.

"That's two games in a row," she said grinning at him. "You really are bad at this."

"Go Fish," RJ said laughing. "Is a Muggle game and not one I'm very familiar with Lexie. Give me a break."

"Come on," Alexa said with a grin. "You're dating a Muggle-born, you should get used to this stuff."

RJ laughed. "Yeah, yeah..."

Alexa studied her cards. "Have any sevens?"

"You must be using some of your mind tricks on me," RJ said handing over a pair of sevens to her.

"Right," Alexa leaned back. "My psychic powers."

"Okay, ace," RJ said. "Do you have any threes?"

"Go fish," Alexa laughed.

"Don't tell Emma about this game," RJ told her taking a card from the deck. "She's love nothing more than to beat her Uncle RJ at this."

"Mum's the word," Alexa promised. She looked down at her cards again thoughtfully. "Hey RJ?"

"Yes?" RJ replied.

"That guy... Gabriel?" Alexa asked. "Why does he seem familiar to me?"

RJ shrugged, not wanting to make things worse, but he wanted to help her remember.

"What's going on RJ, really?" Alexa asked softly, putting her cards down. "I know I don't have the Wizarding flu."

"Lexie--"

"You've always been honest with me," Alexa interrupted.

"I have," RJ said quietly.

"Why is everyone so secretive when they come in here?" Alexa demanded. "Why are my parents whispering? No one except you and that Gabriel bloke will look me in the eye."

"You don't have the Wizarding Flu," RJ finally relented.

"So what's going on?" Alexa asked quietly.

He didn't know what to do. A part of him thought that she deserved to know what had happened. "You were hit with a spell a few weeks ago."

"What sort of spell?" she pressed.

RJ took her hand. "Some sort of memory modification spell."

"Who would do such a thing?" she asked, her lower lip trembling.

"A horrible man," RJ said softly. "That's...that's not all, Lexie. He took---he kidnapped Saffron."

"What?" she gasped.

RJ knew there was no going back now. "It was a few weeks back. You were in Brighton with Saffy and her family."

"Brighton?" Alexa asked. "But... I thought... I thought we were at school?"

RJ shook his head. "The spell that hit you..."

Alexa pulled her hand away as tears welled up in her eyes.

"I shouldn't be telling you this," RJ said. "Lexie--"

"What?" she asked. "What aren't you saying, RJ?"

"The healers said that you shouldn't know," RJ told her with a pained expression on his face. "I don't want to---"

"TELL ME!" she said angrily.

RJ exhaled. "You lost two years, Lexie."

For a few long, awful moments, she stared at him. "Two years?" she whispered.

RJ nodded and reached for her hand again. "You--you graduated from Hogwarts a few weeks ago."

"Graduated?" Alexa asked. "But..."

"I'm so sorry," he said softly. "I wanted to tell you, but the healers said it might be detrimental to your recovery."

"For me not to know anything?" Alexa snapped.

"Lexie," RJ said trying to calm her down, but he could certainly understand her anger. "They know a lot more about this than we do."

"What else don't I know?" Alexa asked harshly.

"You, um, you're supposed to be starting university in the States next month," RJ told her.

"I am?" she asked, softly.

RJ nodded. "You were really excited about it though you were going to miss your parents and Saffy."

"This just isn't possible," Alexa said quietly.

"You're not in this alone," he promised. "You know that I'll be here to help you figure it all out."

"Thanks," Alexa said wiping at her eyes.

"Come here," he said opening up his arms.

She crawled forward and snuggled against him.

RJ held her close. "I'm sorry, Lexie."

"It's not your fault," Alexa said. "At least I know I can depend on you."

"Absolutely," RJ said kissing the top of her head.

"I just love you so much," she bawled.

"Shhh," RJ soothed. "It's going to be okay, Lexie. I promise."

"You have to help me remember," she begged.

"I will," he said pulling away to look at her. "I'll do anything you want."

"Just help me remember," Alexa said, touching his face.

Memories of the time he'd spent with Alexa over the years flooded back to him. He would have given anything to give her back the years that she'd lost. He leaned in and gently kissed her.

At first, she eagerly kissed him back but as it deepened, something inside her began to feel as if this was completely wrong.

"What's wrong?" he asked pulling away.

"I don't know..." Alexa said softly. "It just... felt different, kissing you."

RJ looked away.

"What?" Alexa felt a tremor of fear. "RJ what aren't you telling me now?"

"We aren't together anymore," RJ told her quietly. "We haven't been for quite some time."

She stared at him. "We broke up?"

"It's a really long story, but basically, I screwed things up," RJ said. "We---grew apart after I graduated and started playing for Puddlemere."

Alexa listened as he told her the truth- a bit haltingly.

"I was an idiot, Lexie," RJ told her. "You and I were barely on speaking terms and Saffron---well, let's just say that she treated me like something she picked off the bottom of her shoe."

She bit her lower lip. "I just don't even know what to think right now."

"It's a lot to take in," RJ said sympathetically.

Alexa sighed and lay back against the pillows. "I just don't know why everyone felt they couldn't tell me what was going on."

"Don't be mad at your parents," RJ told her. "They were only doing what the healers told them was best."

Alexa nodded. "I... I think I'd like to be alone for awhile."

"Are you sure?" RJ asked.

Alexa nodded silently.

"I'll be back later, okay?" he asked. "And I'll bring you something from my Nana. I know it'll be better than this hospital food."

"Thanks," Alexa turned to look out the window.

RJ gave her one last look before he left her room. He wondered if he should tell her healer what he'd told her.

On his way out, he passed Gabriel again. "Hey mate," he greeted him.

"Hey," Gabriel said. "I know she didn't want to see me, but I couldn't stay away."

"Actually," RJ shifted from one foot to the other. "I sort of told her what was going on."

"What?" Gabriel asked taken aback. "Why?"

"She asked why you were around all the time," RJ told him. "She... she's got a way of drawing things out of you."

"Is she okay?" Gabriel asked.

"She told me she wanted to be alone," RJ said. "But then again, I did just have to tell her what an arse I was to her."

"I can't imagine that was easy for you," Gabriel commented quietly.

"Not really," he admitted.

"So she knows everything?" Gabriel asked.

"Pretty much," RJ said. "I didn't tell her that you two were together though. Thought I'd let you do that."

"Thanks," Gabriel said.

"Good luck mate," RJ said. "She's an amazing girl... I didn't want to hurt her, but she deserves to know what's going on."

Gabriel nodded. "She is. Thank you for all that you've done for her."

RJ nodded. "I know it couldn't have been easy for you... to see all that."

"You have no idea," Gabriel replied.

"Good luck in there," RJ told him, holding his hand out.

Gabriel shook RJ's hand. He had a feeling he was going to need a lot of luck.

With a deep breath, he headed over to her room and knocked softly on the door.

"Who is it?" she called out.

"Hey," Gabriel poked his head in. "Um... I hope you don't mind me dropping by again--"

Alexa looked up at him. "I kind of wanted to be alone."

"Oh," Gabriel said quietly.

Alexa wiped at her eyes. "Why are you looking at me like that?"

"I don't mean to," he said quickly. "I'm sorry.

"I don't mean to snap at you," Alexa apologised. "It's just I found out some things today that shook me up. My best friend's been kidnapped and I lost two years of my life."

Gabriel nodded. "I'm um... I'm actually Saffron's cousin."

"Saffy doesn't have any cousins," Alexa argued.

"None of you knew about me until just a few years ago," Gabriel explained, wishing she'd stop giving him that accusing look.

"What are you to me?" Alexa asked him.

Gabriel took a deep breath. "We've been together for over a year."

Alexa shook her head. "No..."

"Yes," Gabriel said. "We're in love and we're going to be living near each other in California next year when you go to college there."

Alexa shook her head. "No, that's not true. I'm still---"

"You're eighteen," Gabriel told her. "Not fifteen or sixteen."

Fresh tears welled up in Alexa's eyes. "This doesn't make sense!"

"I know," Gabriel came forward. "And I wish there was something I could do to help you."

"I just wish Saffy was here," Alexa said quietly.

"I do too," Gabriel said. "I wish she and Ethan were both okay."

"Do they know---do they know who took them?" Alexa asked.

"They think it's some bloke..." Gabriel thought for a moment. "Dolohov?"

Alexa shook her head. "That name doesn't ring any bells for me. Surprise, surprise."

"I'm studying to be a doctor," Gabriel said. "If I knew anything about magic, I'd do what I could to bring your memories back."

Alexa gave him a slight smile. "Thank you."

Gabriel nodded. "I know it may sound strange, but I love you. You're the most important person in the world to me."

Alexa didn't know what to say to that. She could tell that he was sincere, but to her, he was a stranger. This was more than she could honestly handle right now.

"Gabriel, I'm sorry," Alexa said softly. "But I'm kind of tired. Would you mind---"

"I'll leave you be," he nodded. "I understand."

"Thank you for coming by," Alexa said. "I--I imagine this hasn't been easy for you."

"Not really," Gabriel admitted. "But you're worth it. I know you're going to get your memories back."

"I hope so," Alexa whispered.

"You will," Gabriel said. "And I'll do whatever I can to make that happen."

Alexa gave him another slight smile and watched with a heavy heart as she watched him go. He was hurting and she felt bad about that. Right now, though, she was more worried about her best friend. Saffron had to be okay. She just had to be.

Meanwhile, RJ had arrived back at his flat the same time Audrey had come after work.

"Hey," RJ said. "I-I didn't know you were coming over here."

"Why wouldn't I?" she asked, kicking off her shoes.

RJ put his head in his hands. "I don't know. I didn't realise we had plans."

"We didn't," Audrey said. "But I just wanted to see you."

"Right," RJ said with a sigh. "I don't think I'll be that much company, Aud. It's been a long day."

"We can just watch a movie or something, then." she replied.

"I'm really not in the mood for a movie," RJ said. "I promised Alexa I'd bring her something from Nana."

"Oh," Audrey said quietly.

RJ felt guilty as he looked at his girlfriend. She'd been more than patient about what had happened. But, he knew her patience was running thin. He briefly wondered if he should tell her about kissing Alexa. "She's just--she's had to eat hospital food all these weeks. I thought it'd be nice for a change."

"Right," Audrey forced a smile. "I understand..."

"Aud," RJ said reaching for her hand. "I'm sorry..."

She pulled away. "I hate feeling like this, RJ."

"Feeling like what?" he asked.

"I feel horrible for what happened to Alexa," Audrey said. "I can't imagine what she must be feeling. But..." she sighed. "I'm your girlfriend now, and I'd just like to see you once in awhile."

RJ felt even more guilty. "I know. Maybe this will all be over soon. I-I told her the truth today."

She looked at him properly. "You did?"

"You can't get anything past her really," RJ said. "She knew something was up and we've all been walking around on eggshells around her. She asked me point blank today and I just couldn't lie to her. She knows that she's eighteen. She knows that Saffy's been kidnapped. And she knows that we're not together anymore."

"Well that's good then, right?" Audrey asked. "Gabriel can step in and do what you've been doing."

RJ looked down at the floor.

"Right?" Audrey pressed.

"Just because I told her doesn't mean that she doesn't still need me," RJ said. "She was terrified, Aud. You should have seen her. Imagine how you would feel if you found out something like that. It's not like she got her memories back right after I told her. She still feels like no time's passed."

"I didn't say I minded you spending time with her," Audrey said defensively. "I just said I wanted to see you as well once in awhile."

"How about you come with me to the Burrow?" RJ asked. "We can spend some time together until I have to leave for the hospital."

"Why can't I just come with you to the hospital if she knows the truth?" Audrey asked.

"She...she doesn't know that I have a girlfriend," RJ admitted.

Audrey sighed. "Forget I even said anything."

"Aud," RJ said reaching for her. "I'll tell her tonight. When I was leaving, Gabe showed up. He sounded like he was going to tell her about the two of them."

She softened. "You'll tell her about us? Really?"

"Really," RJ said wondering how he was going to do that.

"That makes me feel better," she admitted, resting her head on his shoulder.

"I'm glad," RJ said putting his arms around her. Never in a million years did he think he would find himself in this situation.

"I love you," Audrey said softly.

RJ held her close. "I love you too, Aud."

She closed her eyes. "Just hold me for a few minutes."

In the past few weeks, RJ had gotten to know his ex-girlfriend again and he had enjoyed the time he'd spent with her. But, those feelings were all in the past, weren't they? One kiss wasn't going to change everything. Alexa would get her memory back and things would go back to normal. There was no need to open up this can of worms, was there?

*** *** ***

Ethan woke up in the middle of the night and looked to where his sister was soundly sleeping. It had been a rough day for Saffron who had to listen to that psychopath call her by their mother’s name. Ethan had heard stories about Gordon Devereaux, but he hadn’t known the man was this twisted.

He had tried again and again to get through the door, the window, even the walls, but everything was solid and seemingly soundproof.

"Ethan?" Saffron whispered.

"Hey," Ethan said. "What are you doing up?"

"You should be the one sleeping," Saffron said sitting up. "I love you, but you look awful."

Ethan managed a small smile. "You sleep."

"It's a little hard when Gordon keeps calling me 'Hermione'," Saffron shivered.

"He's a bloody creep," Ethan said. "And he better stay away from you."

Saffron squeezed his hand. "I'm really glad that you're here with me, Ethan."

Ethan nodded. "I'm glad you aren't alone. But I wish we could find a way out of here."

Saffron nodded. "You're protecting me just like you did when I was a baby."

"From all those monsters," Ethan recalled.

"And then you grew up and thought I was annoying," Saffron said.

Ethan chuckled. "A little bit..."

"Hermione?"

"Don't answer him," Ethan said in a low voice.

Saffron nodded and hugged her knees to her chest.

"Hermione, answer me." Gordon commanded.

"Her name is Saffron," Ethan called out. "She's not my mother."

"You be quiet, boy." Gordon said.

"What do you want?" Saffron asked.

"I was worried that you weren't warm enough, my love," Gordon replied. "Do you need another blanket?"

"I don't want anything from you," Saffron said. "I just want to be let out of here."

"We'll leave here soon," Gordon promised. "And then we'll be a family like we were always meant to be."

"We aren't going anywhere with you," Ethan laid a protective arm on his sister's shoulder.

"Yes you are," Gordon said happily. "I just have to get the last two members of our little family and we'll be on our way. You'll love it. I know you will."

Saffron's eyes filled with tears. "He's going to get Jules, isn't he?" she whispered. "He can't take her away from Nick and Ashley and Katie."

Ethan shook his head. "No, he's not going to take anyone else. Dad's going to protect Mum and Julie and he's going to find us."

Saffron nodded, swallowing the lump in her throat. "Ethan... I can't stop thinking about what he did to Sean."

Ethan put his arm around her and hugged her. "Saffy, that wasn't your fault."

Saffron wiped her eyes. "He stepped in front of me, not even knowing what was going on."

"He loved you," Ethan said.

"But I wasn't in love with him," Saffron said. "And that makes me feel even guiltier."

"Andrew?" Ethan guessed.

"I'm still in love with him," Saffron admitted.

"He's been helping out down at Headquarters," Ethan told her. "He was there everyday."

"He was?" she asked. "Really?"

Ethan nodded. "So I think he still has feelings for you, too."

"But he's with that other girl now," Saffron said.

"When we're out of here, you can sort it all out," Ethan told her.

Saffron sighed. "I guess..."

"You know I know most of this stuff about you from Maddie," Ethan said. "You...you haven't confided in me in a long time."

"We aren't as close as we used to be," Saffron nodded. "When I used to follow you relentlessly..."

"And tell me everything..." Ethan recalled with a laugh. "Whether I wanted to hear it or not..."

***

Saffron was home from her first year at Hogwarts and her sister was having the whole family over for dinner. Saffron hadn’t told anyone this, but she was going to do whatever it took to convince her old nanny to come back to where she truly belonged.

“Come on, Saf,” Ethan called out to her. “We’re ready to go…”

"Just a minute!" Saffron hollered back.

She grabbed her bag and headed downstairs to join her family. They were going to Floo over to Julie and Nick's.

"There you are," Ethan said. "Come on- everyone's waiting for us."

"I can't wait to see my Katie and Ashley," Harry said. Saffron rolled her eyes. "One of them sleeps all day and the other one doesn't say much at all, Daddy."

Harry chuckled. "Come on, you know Ashley thinks the world of you."

Saffron loved both of her nieces very much, but she still couldn't understand why they needed Greta. "Um, Daddy? Why don't you and Mum go along first? I wanted to show Ethan something..."

"But I'm hungry," Ethan objected.

"It's important," Saffron pleaded.

"Fine," Ethan rolled his eyes.

"Don't be long," Hermione told them.

"We won't," Saffron promised.

Ethan waited until they were alone before he folded his arms and levelled his gaze at his sister. "Okay, brat. What are you planning?"

"Well... you agree with me that Greta should be around during summer hols, right?" Saffron asked slyly.

He rolled his eyes. "This again?"

Saffron punched him in the arm. "This is important. Look, I know you just graduated..."

"Yeah, and?" he asked.

"Look, she was ours first," Saffron said. "And she should be ours during the summer hols. She can take care of the babies when I'm in school..."

"Saf, she's gone to stay with Nick and Jules now." Ethan said.

"Well, by the end of the night," Saffron announced. "She's going to be ours again."

"Come again?" Ethan raised an eyebrow.

"Just play along," Saffron pleaded. "Please?"

Ethan sighed. "Saffy--"

Saffron didn't give him a chance to reason with her before she grabbed a handful of Floo Powder and called out Nick and Julie's address.

Ethan reluctantly followed. He had a feeling the evening was going to be quite interesting.

"Hiya, Saffy," Julie said embracing her baby sister. "Look at you!"

"Hi Jules," Saffron said. "I missed you!"

"You'll have to tell me all about your first year," Julie said. "We'll have some girl talk after dinner. Okay?"

"Sure," Saffron replied.

"Aunt Saffy!" Four-year old Ashley squealed.

"Hi Ashley!" Saffron scooped her niece up. "You got so big!"

"She's been so excited since we told her you were coming home today," Julie said.

"Oh yeah?" Saffron asked.

"I drew a new picture for you," Ashley told her.

"You did?" Saffron asked. "I can't wait to see it."

"I'll show you right now," Ashley said.

Saffron put her niece down and shared a grin with Julie while they watched Ashley hurry out of the room.

"Saffron!" Greta exclaimed, coming into the room. "Look at you, sweetheart!"

Saffron turned around and frowned when she saw that Greta was holding Katie.

"I want to hear all about your first year at school," Greta continued. "I'm so happy to see you, Saffy. You're growing up so fast."

"Yes, well, you've been busy," Saffron said quietly.

Greta carefully handed Katie to Julie. "Never too busy for you."

"I'm going to go and check on Ashley's picture," Saffron said.

Julie cast a confused look at Harry. "I thought she'd be happy to see Greta?"

"She is," Harry said.

"She didn't write to me," Greta said with a frown. "I was hoping that she'd be okay---"

Hermione shook her head. "She's just entering that difficult time in her life, that's all."

"Yeah, lucky for us," Ethan said dryly.

"Dinner's just about ready," Nick came into the room. "How's my baby girl?" he made a face at Katie.

Katie gave him a gummy smile and waved her hand at him.

Hermione grinned. "Let me hold my newest granddaughter."

"This one is taking after our side of the family," Ethan said.

"All that dark hair," Greta smiled.

"But she likes being the centre of attention," Julie said handing her daughter off to Hermione. "She wants every eye on her or she's not happy."

"That definitely sounds like me," Nick joked.

Saffron came back into the room with Ashley.

"I gave her the picture, Mummy," Ashley said proudly.

"Can I see?" Ethan asked.

"It's a sailboat," Ashley told him.

"Like the one we have in Brighton?" Ethan asked her.

Ashley nodded. "I drew it from a picture."

"You are quite the artist, Miss Malfoy," Saffron said. "And I'll make sure to put this in my room."

Ashley beamed.

"How about we head into the dining room?" Nick asked.

"I'm starved," Ethan said, practically running in.

Greta laughed. "Some things never change."

"Sometimes I think he's a Weasley," Harry joked.

"Speaking of the Weasleys," Greta said trying to engage her former charge in conversation. "It must have been really nice for you to have Maddie and RJ with you at school, Saffy."

"It was all right," Saffron shrugged. "RJ's a dork."

Greta laughed. "And your mother told me you'd made a really good friend. Alexis, was it?"

"Alexa," Saffron sat in a chair and folded her arms.

Greta waited for Saffron to elaborate, but she didn't.

"I was there too," Ethan said. "Helping my baby sister in her first year."

Saffron looked at him. "You barely acknowledged me, Ethan."

"I helped you," Ethan said. "A bit..."

"He was probably too busy ogling the girls," Julie said.

"Maybe a few," Ethan turned red.

"He was Head Boy," Hermione said proudly.

"And when I'm a 7th year I'll be Head Girl," Saffron said. "AND captain of the Quidditch team. And get the best marks."

Hermione smiled at her daughter. "You're well on your way. Professor McGonagall said you did quite well this year."

Saffron smiled proudly.

"Yay!" Ashley clapped her hands together.

"Well I made a special congratulatory dinner for Ethan and Saffy tonight," Greta said.

"It smells fantastic," Ethan said.

"I helped!" Ashley said happily.

Harry grinned at his granddaughter. "You know that your Aunt Saffy used to help me in the kitchen, too?"

"You did?" Ashley asked.

Saffron shrugged. "Every now and then."

"She used to help me as well," Greta said fondly.

"Those days are gone, aren't they?" Saffron asked pointedly.

"Saffron Grace," Harry said. "What's with the tone?"

Saffron shrugged.

"Saf didn't mean anything by it," Ethan said in her defence.

Harry only gave the two of them a suspicious look.

"Saf's funny," Ashley said grinning at her aunt.

"I was kind of hoping that she'll come over and help me some time this summer," Greta said. "I've missed my girl."

"Maybe," Saffron said. "If I'm not busy...."

"Oh," Greta said quietly. "I--I think I'll just go and fetch the bread."

Hermione gave her daughter a look. "Actually, Saffron and I will go get it, Greta."

"It's been nice knowing you, Saffy," Ethan whispered to his sister.

Saffron pinched his arm before reluctantly following her mother to the kitchen.

"What's with the attitude, Miss?" Hermione asked when they were alone. "You don't talk to Greta like that."

"I don't have an attitude," Saffron looked away.

Hermione folded her arms. "And what would you call it then?"

"Well she was the one who left US," Saffron said sullenly.

Hermione sighed. "Because you grew up and went to school. And your sister....has two children now."

"I'm still a kid," Saffron argued. "And I still need looking after."

"Saffron," Hermione said. "You're nearly 12 years old. You are still a child, but you do not need a nanny anymore. I'm going to be home a great deal this summer and so will your father."

"It's not the same," Saffron shrugged.

"I know you love Greta," Hermione said tugging affectionately on one of her daughter's plaits. "But this is the way things are. It's not going to change. And if you love Greta as much as I think you do, you're not going to send her on some guilt trip or be mean to her."

"Fine," Saffron grumbled, trying to rethink her plan.

Saffron grabbed the bread basket and followed her mother back into the dining room.

"I can't wait to get started on my training," Ethan was telling them.

Harry smiled proudly. "That's my boy."

"I promise to send you care packages," Greta said smiling at Ethan. "Lots of those biscuits you like so much."

"I already can't wait," Ethan said. "You're the best, Greta."

"She is," Nick agreed. "I can't tell you how great it's been having her here."

Saffron's entire face fell at this but she ducked her head and sat back down at the table.

"I think I've lost a stone or two since she's left us," Harry said patting his stomach.

"For shame," Greta said. "I'll have to send something over to fatten you back up."

Harry laughed. "Don't tempt me."

"Jules, you have the summer off, right?" Saffron asked.

"Of course," Julie nodded.

"And Nick, you're not touring or recording this summer, right?" Saffron asked.

"I wasn't planning on it," Nick said. "I wanted to enjoy the summer with my girls."

Saffron grinned. "Um, well, if you're both going to be off..."

Hermione sighed. "Saffy..."

"Greta, your room at home is still just like we left it," Saffron said. "And I'm nearing my formidable pre-teen years...."

"Your what?" Ethan asked raising an eyebrow.

"The most difficult years of my life," Saffron said sweetly.

"You're 11," Nick pointed out. "You don't even like blokes yet."

"How do you know?" Saffron asked.

"Nicholas is only teasing," Greta said. "And you know, Saffron, that you can talk to me anytime."

"It's easier when you're there at the house," Saffron said.

"Saffy, you're more than welcome to come over here anytime," Julie said. "You know that."

"It's not the same." Saffron said. "And if you two are home all summer, why can't Greta just stay with us?"

"Saffron," Julie said gently. "I hardly think you need a nanny anymore. I know this hasn't been an easy transition for you..."

Saffron rolled her eyes. "Easy for you to say."

"How about Puddlemere, eh?" Ethan interjected. "I think they're going to win the Cup this year."

Saffron glared at her brother. He was supposed to help her out here.

"I'm trying to stop you from getting into trouble," Ethan whispered.

"Whatever," Saffron snapped.

"Saffy, you could always come over here while your father and I are at work," Hermione suggested. "But, I told you already that we're going to be home with you the majority of the summer."

"I would love to have you over here," Greta grinned. "And I know Ashley and Katie would love having you around. Right, Ashley Beth?"

Ashley nodded. "Every day Aunt Saffy!"

"That might be nice," Saffron said.

Greta beamed at her. "Then it's all set."

Saffron managed a small smile. "And you know I love to help you in the kitchen, Greta."

"I do," Greta said. "I used to put you up on the counter in your little seat when you were a baby and you'd just watch me..."

Ashley giggled. "Sometimes I sit up on the counter when Greta makes biscuits."

"Saf did that too," Ethan remembered. "And she used to nick the chocolate chips when she thought Greta wasn't looking."

"You did?" Greta turned to her former charge.

"Maybe one or two," Saffron admitted sheepishly.

"One or two dozen," Ethan cracked. "At a time..."'

"Your brother did the same thing," Greta said with a grin. "So he has no room to talk."

"Well," Saffron said. "Since Greta's not coming home, maybe we could talk about getting me a dog..."

***

Ethan shook his head. "And getting you a dog only took what.... another four years?"

Saffron laughed. "Persistence paid off, didn't it?"

"Sure did, brat." Ethan said. "And he's waiting for you at home."

"I miss Puddles so much," Saffron said softly.

Ethan squeezed her shoulders. "We'll get out of here."

"I know," Saffron said giving him a hug. "Thanks, Ethan."

217. Chapter 217

Authors’ note: Happy Christmas! We’ll warn you ahead of time that this one isn’t a very happy one. Something very sad happens in this chapter that was very difficult for us to write. There’s your warning.

Gordon watched this touching scene before turning his attention back to the letter he was writing.

He had attempted to write one right after he'd brought Ethan there, but had not sent it. This was the right time now, he decided as he scrawled across the parchment.

He wanted to tell Hermione how he was doing this for her and how they'd be together soon. But, he didn't want to draw attention to his real identity. They were all so convinced it was Dolohov.

Gordon glanced back at the body of Nikolai Dolohov that was still slumped in the corner of his room.

"You've helped me out more than you know, old friend," Gordon said.

He tossed the blanket over the body and folded up the letter.

He knew that this would be dangerous, but he wanted to deliver the letter in person. He wanted to see Hermione's face when she read it.

He went into a drawer where he had some hairs he'd gathered from healers, nurses, anyone he could get them from.

He was almost giddy from the anticipation of being within touching distance of Hermione.

He found himself back in London in fifteen minutes, his appearance changed to that of a male healer that had once come in his room. The envelope grew sweaty as he clutched it in his hand.

Security had been beefed up at the Ministry in the wake of what had happened to the Minister's children. Gordon though had come prepared and he made it through the security checks without incident.

He trembled with excitement as he rode the lift up to the Minister's office. "Soon," he whispered, wiping his brow. "My sweet, sweet Hermione..."

The lift stopped on one of the lower floors and Gordon paled when he saw Harry Potter step inside.

He unconsciously moved to the corner to stay as far away from Potter as possible.

"Hello, Harry," Hannah Abbott said. "How are you holding up?"

Harry shook his head. "Not that great," he answered.

"If there's anything I can do for you and Hermione," Hannah offered. "Please let me know."

"Thanks," Harry managed a small smile. "We're just hoping to discover any sort of lead. Anything that tells us they're all right."

Gordon hid his smile. He was right under Potter's nose and that idiot didn't even know it.

"My stop," he said in a low voice when the lift opened and Potter didn't move.

"I beg your pardon," Gordon said impatiently.

Harry looked up in annoyance and for a moment stared straight into the man's eyes. "Sorry," he grunted, moving aside.

"Steven, is that you?" Hannah called after him.

Gordon froze.

"Steve," Hannah pulled on his arm. "I THOUGHT that was you!"

Gordon coughed nervously. "Um..."

"I haven't seen you in ages," Hannah said smiling at him. "Are you still at St. Mungos?"

"No," Gordon answered. "I um... think you have me mistaken for someone else."

"Steve," Hannah laughed. "I think I'd know you anywhere. Harry, this is Steven Bertram. He works in the Psychological ward at St. Mungos."

"Hello," Harry nodded. "Nice to meet you."

"Nice to meet you," Gordon said extending his hand. "I've heard about your...children."

Harry shook the man's hand, wondering why he felt so wary about this stranger. "We're hoping to find them safe and sound."

"The minister's such a lovely woman," Gordon said. "She doesn't deserve to go through this."

"No she doesn't," Harry replied. "If you'll excuse me--"

Gordon nodded and watched as Harry strode out of the elevator and toward Hermione's office.

"Didn't you say this was your floor too?" Hannah asked. "Steve?"

"Yes," Gordon said breaking out of his reverie. "Um, good to see you again."

"you too," Hannah's voice trailed away as the lift closed.

Gordon slowly walked in the direction of the Minister's office. He could his sweet Hermione's voice.

"Still nothing?" she was saying, her voice weary. "Harry... it's been a week since Ethan disappeared. I can't take this anymore. We've been keeping my mother in the dark and--"

"We'll tell Elinore tonight," Harry said.

Gordon stood against the wall so Hermione's assistant wouldn't see him.

"She's not going to react well," Hermione said. "I'm really worried about her."

"Come here," Harry said.

Gordon fumed as he thought of his Hermione in Potter's arms.

"We'll find them," Harry sounded more reassuring and sure of himself than he actually felt. "I know we will. And at least they're together."

"I just want to see them again," Hermione said. "To hold them in my arms and see for myself that they're okay."

"I know you do," Harry said. "I want that too. And I'll do whatever I can to make that happen."

Gordon rolled his eyes. Potter wasn't going to have anything to do with that. Hermione was going to reunite with her children because of him, not because of Potter.

"I just wanted to come up and see you," Harry continued. "See if you're all right..."

"I'm thinking of going home," Hermione said. "I can't concentrate here."

"Jules is there with Nick and the girls," Harry said. "Go on home and be with them."

"What about you?" Hermione asked.

"I'll be here a little while longer," Harry said.

"Let me know the second you hear something," Hermione said, hugging him tightly.

"The split second," Harry promised, giving her a kiss. "I love you."

"I love you," Hermione said softly.

Gordon dropped the note on the floor and hurried away.

Samuel heard something around the corner and spied the piece of parchment lying there. "Minister!"

Hermione and Harry ran out of the office. "What is it, Samuel?" Hermione asked.

Samuel handed Harry the parchment. "Someone must have just left this here."

"Did you see?" Harry asked angrily. "Samuel---"

"By the time I got around here, whoever it was had left," Samuel replied. Harry instantly took off down the corridor.

There was no one on the hall though and Harry punched the wall in frustration.

"Son of a bitch," he growled, looking into the lift and the stairwell.

Hermione was about to take off after her husband when she heard her eldest daughter's voice from the fireplace. "Mum! Mum!"

"Yes Julie?" Hermione asked tiredly.

"It's Gran!" Julie exclaimed. "Please...you have to come home now!"

Hermione felt icy cold all over. "What's wrong with her?"

Julie's lower lip trembled. "I-I don't know. One minute we were in the sitting room with her...and then, Nick and I went into the kitchen to talk. She ...Mum...please you have to come now!"

"Sam, tell Harry I've gone back to the house," Hermione grabbed her cloak.

"Of course," Samuel replied.

"She's on the sofa in the sitting room," Julie pulled on her mother's arm. "We... we can't wake her up Mum."

Hermione nodded and hurried to where her mother was lying motionless on the sofa. "How---how long has she been like this?"

"I'm not sure," Julie said. "Nick's gone for a healer."

"Where are Katie and Ashley?" Hermione asked.

"Greta's taken them upstairs," Julie replied, wiping at her eyes.

"Good," Hermione said tersely. She knelt down next to her mother's still figure.

Hermione lifted her mother's wrist to feel for a pulse.

"Can you..." Julie whispered fearfully. "Is she..."

"There's...there's no... There’s no pulse," Hermione choked out.

"Oh Merlin," Julie slapped her hands over her mouth as her eyes welled up with tears. "This can't be happening!"

Nick arrived with the healers at that moment and Hermione stood back watching the men examine her mother. Julie told them everything that she remembered.

"Nick and I were talking... about my brother and sister," Julie said, wiping her eyes. "And my Gran, she was just sitting here and when we came back in, she was like that."

Nick put his arm around his wife. "It's going to be fine, sweetheart. They're going to do everything they can to help her."

"We can't feel a pulse," Julie sobbed.

Hermione gave them Elinore's medical information and the medicines she was currently taking.

The healers checked her over for several moments before one shook their head. "I'm afraid there's nothing we can do for her."

Julie shook her head. "No. There has to be something you can do! Check her again!"

"Please," Hermione said softly. "It's my mother."

"I'm sorry, Minister," the healer told her. "We think your mother had a stroke. From what we can tell, she died instantly. I'm sorry. There's really nothing we can do."

Hermione let out an anguished cry as her knees buckled.

"Mum!" Julie cried out.

"I'll get Harry," Nick said quickly.

Hermione collapsed into her daughter's arms. The healers quickly levitated her over to the other sofa.

"She's just fainted from the shock," the healer tried to assure Julie.

Julie felt like passing out as well but took a few deep breaths.

Her father and Nick returned to the house and Harry immediately went to his wife's side.

"It's Gran," Julie said, tears coursing down her face. "She's gone."

Nick held his wife. "I'm so sorry, Jules."

"Why is this happening?" Julie buried her face in his shoulder. "Nick I can't handle this!"

"You're not going to do this alone," Nick said softly. "You can lean on me and the girls."

Harry pressed his lips to his wife's forehead. "Hermione..." he said softly. "Sweetheart..."

Hermione's eyes blinked open. "Harry---"

"I'm so sorry, love." Harry said.

"Mum," Hermione said remembering what had happened. "Oh Merlin..."

"I know," Harry said. "I wish I knew what I could have done for her."

"Minister," one of the healers said. "We're going to take your mother to St. Mungos now."

Hermione nodded wearily as she pulled herself up.

Harry helped her get to her feet. He didn't want to tell her about the contents of the latest letter from Dolohov. Now wasn't the time.

"I can't believe this," Hermione wept. "Harry... why? How?"

"I wish I knew," Harry said hugging her tightly. "I wish I knew."

"What did that letter say?" Hermione asked abruptly. "Was it from Dolohov?"

"Um, perhaps it would be best to worry about that later," Harry replied.

"No," Hermione said. "Tell me."

Julie sat down on the other side of her mother. She wanted to know, too.

Harry reluctantly handed over the letter.

Sorry I haven't written to you sooner. I've been busy entertaining my guests. I have to say I'm quite disappointed in you. I would have thought you would have at least TRIED to find us by now. But, that's okay. I'm a patient man and I will get what I want soon enough. Two down, two to go...

"Two to go?" Hermione asked, her voice rising in near hysteria. "TWO TO GO?"

"Two to go?" Julie echoed. "What does that mean? If he's following a pattern, it would be one left. Me. Who else is he planning on taking?"

"You can't leave this house," Hermione panicked.

"Mum---" Julie protested.

Hermione shook her head. "No, Julie!"

"I can't bear the thought of anything happening to you," Harry told his daughter.

"I'd like to see him try and take Jules," Nick said angrily.

"No one's taking me anywhere," Julie said.

"Damn straight," Nick said firmly.

"Let's go to St. Mungos," Harry took his wife's arm.

"We're going to stay here," Julie said. "We need to tell the girls."

"We won't be long, sweetheart," Harry told his daughter.

Julie nodded and gave her mother a hug. "I love you, Mum."

"I love you too," Hermione held her tightly as if afraid to let her go.

"I'm not going anywhere," Julie promised, her eyes shining with tears.

Hermione shook her head. "Right," she whispered.

Julie gave her father a hug too. "Take care of Mum."

"Always," Harry said before they disappeared.

Nick looked at his wife. "We should go and tell the girls. They're probably worried sick."

"How are we going to break this to them?" Julie asked.

"We'll do it together," Nick said squeezing her hand. "Come on."

Julie followed him upstairs, dreading the moment they had to tell their daughters. Ashley would take this especially hard.

Ashley and Katie were with Greta in one of the guest rooms. Both girls had tears in their eyes. They'd seen what had happened to their great-grandmother.

"Mummy?" Ashley stood up. "Is Gran okay?"

"Yeah, Mummy," Katie said quietly. "Grandma Ellie's going to be fine. She just has to take one of her pills and she'll be good as new, right?"

Julie squeezed Nick's hand. "It's not as simple as that, girls."

"Did she have to go to hospital?" Ashley asked.

"She um..." Julie lost her voice.

"Your Grandma Ellie had a massive stroke," Nick took over.

Katie looked up at her father. "A what?"

"A stroke," Julie swallowed. "I'm afraid she's... she's..."

Ashley shook her head. "No..."

"Gran died, girls," Nick said gently.

Katie ran into Nick's arms. "Oh, Daddy!"

"I know, baby." Nick soothed. "I know..."

"Ash?" Julie asked. "Sweetheart..."

"She couldn't have died!" Ashley stood up. "She was okay just a little while ago!"

"I know, baby," Julie said smoothing down Ashley's hair. "But, the healers said it was quick. She wasn't in any pain. And... And she's with your grandfather again."

Ashley's lower lip trembled. "But.... but..."

Julie hugged her daughter. "I'm sorry, sweetheart."

Ashley began to cry in earnest. "She was okay just a little while ago!"

Julie started to cry again, too.

"What's Aunt Saffy and Uncle Ethan going to do when they find out?" Katie asked.

"I don't know," Nick said. "But you know how close your Grandma Ellie was to your Aunt Saffy."

Katie nodded, wiping her eyes.

"Your Grandma Hermione is going to need lots of hugs and kisses now," Nick told Katie. "Do you think you could do that?"

"Yes Daddy," Katie put her arms around him.

"I can do that too," Ashley said in a small voice.

"That's my good girls," Nick said.

Julie put her head in her hands. "Aunt Lav. She doesn't know."

Lavender had stayed at the house the last few days, but she'd left that morning to work on some designs at one of her boutiques.

Nick sighed. "I'll Floo her over now."

Julie shook her head. "I'll ring her at the shop. I'll tell her she needs to come back here."

"All right," Nick nodded.

Julie stepped out into the hall. She didn't know how she'd break this news to Lavender. Lavender loved Robert and Elinore Granger like they were her own parents.

She pulled her mobile out of her bag and dialled her aunt.

"Jules?" Lavender asked when she answered. "Is everything okay? I'm nearly finished here. And don't worry; I bought those chocolates Aunt Ellie likes. I'll bring them home with me."

"Um," Julie hesitated. "Aunt Lav... things aren't okay. I think you should come home as soon as you can."

Lavender was silent for a few moments. "Um...have you heard anything about Ethan and Saffy? Is that what this is?" Lavender finally asked.

"No," Julie said. "I think you just need to come home."

"I'll---I'll be right there," Lavender said.

Julie hung up; glad she hadn't told her aunt over the phone. She deserved to hear this in person.

Lavender arrived a few moments later. "Julie!"

"Aunt Lav," Julie rushed and hugged her.

"Julie, you're scaring me," Lavender said.

"It's Gran," Julie said, the lump back in her throat.

"Did she forget to take her medicine?" Lavender asked pulling away to look properly at Julie. "Look, we'll calm her down and everything---"

"She um..." Julie let out a choked sob. "She's gone, Aunt Lav."

"She's not gone," Lavender said. "I saw her just this morning before I left. She asked me to bring her those chocolates. Remember?" She could see the look on her niece's face, but she didn't want to believe this. It couldn't be true.

"I know but..." Julie stopped for a moment. "They said she had a massive stroke. That she... died instantly, and wasn't in any pain."

"No," Lavender said vehemently shaking her head. "She's not gone! Aunt Ellie!"

"I'm so sorry to have to tell you," Julie said, tears welling in her eyes.

Lavender dropped her bags and ran toward her aunt's room. "Aunt Ellie! I'm home!"

"Aunt Lav, please..." Julie followed her.

Lavender opened up the door and saw that it was just like she'd remembered seeing it that morning. It was cruel of Julie to play a joke like this. Elinore couldn't be gone. Lavender would feel it if she was.

"Jules..." Lavender turned. "Tell me it's not true... please."

"I wish it wasn't," Julie replied wiping at her eyes. "She---she was sitting with us downstairs. Nick and I stepped out to have a private word about Ethan and Saffy and...I think she might have heard us."

Lavender stared at her. "Oh Jules..."

Julie hugged her. "I'm so sorry, Lavender. It was my fault. If Nick and I hadn't---"

Lavender hugged her niece tightly. "Don't you blame yourself, Julie."

"I can't believe this is all happening," Julie sobbed.

"This doesn't seem real," Lavender said, still holding her niece. "Not... even possible."

"Mum and Dad are at St. Mungos," Julie said pulling away. She told her aunt about the latest letter from Dolohov.

Lavender wiped at her eyes. "I need Seamus. I need him here."

"I need to check on the girls," Julie said. "If you want, I'll have Nick call him for you."

"Thank you Julie," Lavender said. "I... I need to be alone right now."

Julie nodded. "I'll be in the girls' room if you need me."

"Thanks Jules," Lavender reached for a tissue.

Lavender sat down on the edge of her aunt's bed. Elinore had never once treated her as an outsider to the Granger family. She'd taken Lavender in when she had no one. She'd treated her just like a daughter.

"Oh Merlin Aunt Ellie," Lavender began to sob in earnest. "How could you die? How could you not... not let me tell you how much you meant to me?"

Lavender looked at the framed photographs on the bedside table. There was a picture of Lavender and Hermione taken a couple of Christmases ago. There was also a photograph of her three grandchildren and two great-grandchildren. Family had always been so important to Elinore. Hearing about Saffron had taken quite a lot out of her and now with Ethan...

Lavender began to sob harshly again. It seemed as if everything was falling apart around here.

Saffron and Ethan were eating lunch in the ramshackle house, oblivious to the turmoil going on at home.

"At least he feeds us okay," Saffron said as she finished the sandwich.

"We're too valuable to him," Ethan said pushing away his plate.

Saffron nodded glumly.

"At least we haven't heard from the smarmy git today," Ethan said.

"Not yet at least," Saffron said bitterly. "I hate him so much."

"I'm not going to let him do anything to you," Ethan promised.

Saffron nodded before leaning against him.

"Dad's birthday is next week," Ethan said.

"I know," Saffron said. "And we'll miss it, for the first time ever."

"You're not going to make him those cupcakes he likes so much," Ethan said with a laugh.

"No," Saffron said quietly.

"Don't lose your faith, Brat," Ethan said giving her a hug. "We're going to get out of here."

"I hope so," Saffron wiped her eyes. "I miss everyone... and we have no idea how Lexie is... how Sean's parents are..."

"Or how Gran's doing with all this," Ethan said.

Saffron's eyes filled with tears again at the mention of her beloved grandmother.

"When we get out of here, we'll spend more time with her," Ethan vowed.

"Right," Saffron wiped her eyes. "Damn it Ethan, why can't we get out of here?"

"Because this psycho has obviously been planning this for a long, long time," Ethan replied thoughtfully. "He's thought of everything."

"I know," Saffron said. "He's completely demented."

"Dad's going to find us," Ethan said.

"Soon?" Saffron asked.

"He's never failed us before, has he?" Ethan asked her.

"No," Saffron said. "He never will."

"So, you have faith, okay?" Ethan said nudging her. "We're going to keep each other sane in here."

"Right," Saffron hugged him hard.

"Love you, Saf," Ethan said.

"I love you too Ethan," Saffron said. "And as twisted as this may sound, I'm glad you're here with me."

Ethan laughed. "That's because I'm quite charming."

"Whatever," Saffron said.

"Good afternoon, children," Gordon's voice called out to them.

"Just don't answer," Ethan told his sister.

"I saw your parents today," Gordon said in a sing-song voice.

"What?" Saffron asked before she could stop herself.

"I was right in front of your father and he didn't even know!" Gordon cackled.

Saffron's lower lip trembled again. "Why are you doing this?" she asked angrily. "Why can't you leave my family alone?"

"You are my family," Gordon told her. "You and your sister and brother and your sweet, lovely mother. She's even more beautiful than I remembered."

"She hates you!" Saffron screamed.

Ethan put his arm on his sister's shoulder. "Saffy, he's trying to bait you. Just don't listen."

"I can't help it," Saffron said, angry tears streaming down her face. "He sits and flaunts to us about seeing mum and dad and I can't take this anymore!"

"Don't cry," Gordon said.

"Leave her alone!" Ethan roared.

"You shut up, Potter," Gordon said coldly.

"Do you really think that you're going to take us away to some island and make us your family?" Ethan asked him. "Hmm? My mother was terrified of you. She loves my father and she always will."

"YOU SHUT UP YOU INSOLENT SHIT!" Gordon roared.

Saffron felt chills run up and down her spine at the tone and harshness of his voice.

Ethan wrapped his arm protectively around her. "As long as I'm here, he won't touch you. I swear it."

"Your father will be a distant memory once we're all together," Gordon said. "Now, if you'll excuse me…something seems to have happened. I need to see if your mummy is okay."

"What?" Ethan asked. "What's happened?"

"Goodbye for now, kids." Gordon said. "We'll talk later."

Gordon didn't tell them that news of the Minister's mother's death had just come over the Wireless.

"My poor Hermione," he said. "I'd be there to comfort you..."

Gordon looked at the old, torn photograph he had of the two of them. He traced her face with his finger.

"My sweet, sweet Hermione." he said. "I've never once stopped loving you."

"We'll be together soon," Gordon whispered.

*** *** ***

Hermione awoke the morning of her mother's funeral wondering how she'd even made it to bed. She vaguely remembered her husband giving her something to drink last night. He must have put a sleeping potion in there, because otherwise, she never would have fallen asleep.

Her mother. Tears filled her eyes as the realisation of her mother's death hit her again.

Julie knocked on the bedroom door. "Mum? It's me."

Hermione pulled herself up. "Come in Jules."

Julie opened the door and stepped inside. She was carrying a tray of tea and toast. "How'd you sleep?"

Hermione shrugged. "I slept; I'm sure in thanks to your father."

"Don't be angry with him," Julie said setting the tray down. "He's worried about you."

"I'm not angry with him," Hermione said. "I just... don't understand why, Julie."

"I wish I knew," Julie said softly. "None of this makes sense."

"No," Hermione shook her head. "It doesn't."

"I was going to ask," Julie said. "I know we were limiting the funeral guests to close family and friends. It's just--well, Katie has Caroline to lean on and I was hoping you'd allow Ashley to have Zander and Brittany with her today."

Hermione nodded. "Of course."

Julie smiled. "Thanks."

"Ash is a good girl," Hermione said. "She was in here last night just sitting with me."

Julie nodded. "She's worried about you, too. They both are."

Hermione wiped her eyes. "They're my sweet girls."

"I hate to think of Saffy and Ethan finding out about it," Julie said.

"Especially Saffron," Hermione thought of her youngest daughter.

"Saffy and Gran had a special connection," Julie said, tears welling up in her eyes. "I know Gran loved us all but she and Saffy were like two peas in a pod."

"They were," Hermione's face collapsed as she began to sob.

Julie sat down and put her arms around her mother. "Oh, Mum..."

"I can't handle this," Hermione's chest heaved up and down. "Jules, I can't do this!"

Julie pulled away and looked at her mother. "You can, Mum. You are the strongest, bravest person I know."

"No I'm not," Hermione whimpered. "I want my mother... I want my babies home with me."

"I know you do," Julie soothed. "I know you do. I wish I could bring them home for you right now."

Julie held back her own tears. She'd never seen her mother like this before.

"Where's Harry?" Hermione asked. "I need Harry."

"I'll get him for you," Julie said standing up.

Hermione nodded as she drew her legs up to her chest.

Julie hurried downstairs where her father was sitting with the others.

"Mum---she needs you, Dad," Julie told him.

Harry got up immediately. "Is she all right?"

Julie shook her head. "She's falling apart, Dad."

"Excuse me," Harry muttered to the others as he rushed out of the kitchen.

He took the steps two at a time.

"Hermione," he burst into the room. "Sweetheart, I'm here."

Hermione looked up at him, her eyes shining with tears. "Oh, Harry!"

He pulled her into his arms. "I know, baby."

Hermione sobbed into his shoulder. This was all too much for her. First Saffron, then Ethan, and then her mother's death.

Harry felt his heart break as his wife broke down. "It's going to be okay, sweetheart." he tried to soothe her. "This will all come to an end soon. I'm going to find Ethan and Saffy."

Hermione didn't say anything. She just clung tightly to her husband.

"We need to get you ready," Harry said gently. "Hermione..."

Hermione nodded. "You'll be with me? All day?"

"I won't leave your side," Harry promised. "I'll always be here for you, Hermione."

Hermione gave him a kiss. "I wouldn't be able to do this without you and Julie and the girls."

"And we'd never let you go through it alone," Harry said, resting his forehead on hers.

"She thought of you like a son," Hermione said softly. "She said you were one of the good ones and I was lucky to have you."

"And I was lucky to have her and Robert as my in laws," Harry said.

"I can't believe they're both gone," Hermione said quietly.

"At least they're together again," Harry said softly. "That's really what she wanted."

"More than anything," Hermione said. "I keep trying to tell myself that."

Harry nodded before giving her a kiss. "Need a hand getting ready?" he asked.

"I think I'll be okay," Hermione said. "Thank you though."

Harry nodded. "I'll be just downstairs with everyone else if you need me."

Hermione pulled back the covers. "I love you, Harry."

"I love you too," Harry said. "I'm going to get our family back, Hermione. I promise you that."

Hermione gave him a slight smile. "That's what I want more than anything."

"I'm going to make it happen," Harry swore.

Hermione gave him a hug before she headed into the bathroom.

Harry walked back downstairs to find the rest of his family. Ron, Luna and Maddie had joined them.

"Morning, mate," Ron said clapping him on the back.

"Morning," Harry sighed. "Thanks for coming."

"Of course," Ron replied. "How's Hermione?"

"Barely holding it together," Harry answered. He looked over at his daughter in law. "How are you feeling, Maddie?"

"As well as can be expected," Maddie replied. She'd moved in with her parents since Ethan's disappearance.

Harry nodded. "How's the baby?"

Maddie patted her stomach. "Fine."

"Good," Harry said. "Um... there's coffee, juice and some scones if anyone's hungry."

I wish there was something I could do for Mum.

Maddie looked over at her sister-in-law. She knew Julie hadn't said anything.

I just can't believe Gran is gone... I wish I had helped her out more.

This time Maddie heard a younger voice, and she looked over at Ashley who was picking at a scone.

Maddie walked over to her niece and put her hand on her shoulder. "Your Gran loved you very much."

Ashley nodded. "I loved her too."

"She loved every moment you spent with her," Maddie said softly. "Just remember those good times."

"I'm going to try," Ashley wiped her eyes.

"That's what I do when I'm sad about Ethan," Maddie said. "And it makes me feel a little better."

"I miss him too," Ashley said sadly. "And Aunt Saffy.”

Maddie staved off her tears as she thought of her husband. "They're going to come home soon, Ash. I can feel it."

Katie looked over at her. "Really?"

"They have to," Maddie nodded. "We need them."

"Do you want some juice, Aunt Maddie?" Ashley asked.

"Sure," Maddie said. "Thank you, Ashley."

"Is there anything I can do?" Luna asked Harry.

Harry shook his head. "I'm just glad you lot are here. It means a lot to Hermione."

"We wouldn't be anywhere else," Luna said.

Hermione came into the kitchen. "I'm ready," she said quietly.

"You look lovely," Luna said giving her friend a hug.

"Liar," Hermione said. "But thank you for saying so."

"You do," Luna said sincerely. Hermione had pulled her hair back into a chignon and was wearing black dress robes.

"You're wearing Gran's pearls," Julie said softly.

"I need to be close to her," Hermione touched them.

"They're really pretty, Grandma," Katie said looking up at her grandmother.

"Thank you sweetheart," Hermione hugged her.

Lavender and Seamus had just arrived at the mansion with Gabriel. Lavender felt numb as she followed them into the kitchen.

Hermione saw her cousin and went over to her. "I'm so glad you're here."

"Me too," Lavender said hugging her tightly. "Hermione, this isn't really happening, is it?"

"I don't want to believe it either," Hermione wiped her eyes. "I don't want to believe any of this is real."

"We're going to get through this together, right?" Lavender asked.

Hermione squeezed her hand. "Right."

Gabriel sat down at the table with Katie, Ashley and Maddie.

"You know what my Grandma's going through," Katie said looking at him. "Since you lost your Mummy, right?"

"Kind of," Gabriel nodded.

"I don't ever want to lose my Mummy," Katie said.

"I didn't either," Gabriel said. "But... she was really sick."

"How did you get through it?" Ashley asked.

"I had my grandparents," Gabriel told her. "And my friends... and then I found my dad."

"I bet you're glad you found him," Katie said.

"I sure am," Gabriel nodded.

"My grandpa never knew his parents," Katie told him.

Ashley would have reminded her sister that Gabriel already knew that, but she decided to let it slide.

"I heard that," Gabriel nodded. "That must be rough."

"How's Aunt Lavender holding up?" Ashley asked.

"Not that great," Gabriel said. "She's really torn up over this."

"So's Grandma," Ashley said.

"They'll be okay," Gabriel told them. "This just takes awhile to get over."

"Thanks, Gabe," Ashley said.

Katie looked around for her father, but he'd disappeared a few minutes ago.

A few moments later, Nick called out for Ashley. Ashley walked into the sitting room to see what he wanted and her jaw dropped when she saw who was with him.

"What are you guys doing here?" she asked upon seeing her best friends.

"Your mum and dad asked if we could come," Brittany said giving her a hug. "How are you, Ash?"

"I'm okay," Ashley said.

"We were really sorry to hear about your Gran," Zander said giving her a hug, too.

Nick smiled at his daughter. He knew it meant a lot to her to have her friends there. It was only fair given that Katie would have Caroline.

"Thanks," Ashley hugged him back tightly. "I'm so glad you both are here."

"We even got Zander in a suit," Brittany teased.

"Yeah well, it's the last time for awhile," Zander pulled at the neck of his shirt.

"You look very handsome," Ashley told him.

He turned a bit red. "Thanks..."

"Would you kids like to have some breakfast?" Nick asked them. "We have scones and juice..."

"Thank you, Mr. Malfoy," Brittany said.

"Just this way," Nick motioned.

Brittany linked her arm with Ashley's.

"I already ate," Ashley told her. "But we can all sit together."

"Hello Professor Malfoy," Zander said to Julie.

"Hi Zander," Julie smiled at her daughter's friends. "Good morning, Brittany."

"My mum wanted to make sure you'd received the flowers she sent," Brittany said.

"We did," Julie nodded. "It was really a lovely gesture."

Brittany shared a smile with her friend as she and Zander grabbed a scone and some juice.

"We took them to the graveyard to put by her there," Ashley said softly.

"She's going to be buried beside my Grandpa Robert," Katie told them.

"We keep saying that they're together again," Ashley crumpled a napkin in her hand.

Lavender wiped at her eyes. Seamus put his arm around her.

"We should get going," Hermione told them. "We need to be there soon."

"Right," Julie said. "Girls..."

Katie turned to her father. "Hold my hand, Daddy."

Nick did just that. "Come on, Katie Bear."

"Are you three ready?" Julie asked her daughter and her friends.

Ashley nodded. "Yes, Mum."

It didn't take the group long to reach the graveyard where a simple service was being held.

Hermione stood in the middle of her husband and cousin.

"I'm right here sweetheart," Harry took her arm.

Hermione leaned against him.

The vicar said a few prayers and words about Elinore and about Robert, talking about their life together and how they were joined now in death.

"I visited Elinore quite a bit over the past few years," the vicar said. "She gave me a letter that she asked that I read in the event of her death."

Hermione and Lavender looked at each other in surprise. They didn't know such a letter existed.

218. Chapter 218

Authors’ note: We’re sorry for the depressing chapter we posted just before Christmas! It was just how things broke out when we broke out the chapter. This one is a little happier as you get the contents of that letter that Elinore wrote before her death. We hope that you like the chapter. Happy New Year to you guys!

"I visited Elinore quite a bit over the past few years," the vicar said. "She gave me a letter that she asked that I read in the event of her death."

Hermione and Lavender looked at each other in surprise. They didn't know such a letter existed.

"To my darling girls," the vicar began. "Words cannot express how much you have meant to me. Hermione, your father and I waited so long to have a child. When you were born, I didn't think it was possible to love someone so much."

At the words, Hermione felt her knees start to weaken but she managed to hold herself up.

"Over the years, we watched you blossom into an intelligent, charming, and delightful young woman. I am so proud of you," the vicar continued. "You are an amazing mother and that can be seen in the three children you raised. I love them so much---my Julie, my Ethan, and my Saffy."

Hermione sobbed into her handkerchief and Harry put his arms around her to hold her upright.

"Lavender," the vicar continued. "I hope you know that I never ever thought of you as anything less than a daughter. You fit into our family right away and I loved you so much. I know I couldn't take the place of your mother, but I wanted to give you a safe place to call home. I love you so much and I hope you never, ever forget that. I am so proud to call you my daughter."

Lavender wasn't as composed as her cousin. She began to sob so hard that Seamus had to help her to a bench.

"To my Julie Liliane," the vicar continued. "You were a kindred spirit right from the start. I'll never forget our long talks and the way you used to cuddle up beside me when you were little. We would sit for hours in front of the fireplace and read. I love you and those sweet angels, Katherine Rose and Ashley Beth. You and Nick should be proud of the family you have. Never lose sight of that. Family is the most important thing in the world."

Julie nodded. "Grandpa used to say that all the time..."

"Ethan James, you were the bravest little boy," the vicar read. "You knew no fear as a child and your greatest dream was to follow your father's footsteps. You have done that, but you have also become your own man. Robert and I were so proud. I wish you and Maddie all the happiness that we had."

Maddie pressed her lips together as her eyes filled with tears. Her husband should be able to hear this for himself.

"And to my Saffron Grace," the vicar continued. "You were there for grandfather and me when we needed you the most. I can't tell you what joy it brought to him to have you there when he was recovering from his surgery. You've always been a bright light and just like your mother, you always strive to be the best. I love you, my sweet Saffy. I'll always be with you."

Hermione muffled her sobs with her hand and even Harry had a hard time keeping a dry eye.

The Malfoys approached the coffin and Katie and Ashley placed two white roses on top. "Goodbye, Gran," Katie said through her tears.

Ashley also placed a folded piece of paper on top; a drawing of her grandparents she'd done. "We love you, Gran." she said softly.

Julie took Ashley's hand and Katie took Nick's as they walked back over to stand beside the vicar.

"Come on Lav," Hermione reached for her cousin's hand.

Lavender nodded and took her hand.

Hermione sniffed as they approached the coffin. "Be happy with Daddy now," she whispered.

"I love you, Aunt Ellie," Lavender said softly.

"We were always kind of like sisters," Hermione said after a moment. "We fought, but there really wasn't anything we wouldn't do for each other."

Lavender gave her a hug. "You're my best friend."

"You're mine too," Hermione held her close. "Always will be."

Seamus and Harry joined them.

"It was an honour to be part of this family," Harry said. "Robert and Elinore were both wonderful people."

"Yes, they were," Seamus agreed. "And they set quite an example."

"And they raised two amazing women," Harry put his arm around his wife.

"We had a good teacher," Lavender said softly.

Hermione buried her face in Harry's neck. "I need to sit down."

"Come on then," Harry said leading her over to one of the benches.

Hermione took a few deep, ragged breaths. "I just don't know how much longer I can do this, Harry. I can't stay strong anymore."

"I know," Harry said putting an arm around her. "But we're going to bring them home, baby. I promise."

"I don't know how we're going to tell them about this," Hermione gazed at the gravesite.

"I know," Harry said. "That was some letter your mother wrote."

Hermione nodded. "It certainly was. I had no idea she'd done that."

Harry kissed the side of her head. "I wish I could make this better for you, Hermione. I really, really do."

"Just bring them home," Hermione said. "That's the only way things will be better."

"I'm going back on duty this afternoon," Harry told her.

Hermione nodded. "I've got people looking everywhere in other countries through their ministries."

"I'm thinking we should up the reward," Harry said thoughtfully.

"I'll pay whatever," Hermione said. "Anything."

Harry nodded. "I'll announce it today."

Hermione leaned against him and closed her eyes. It had been a long, gruelling few weeks.

"The service is over, Mum." Julie said softly. "We're all heading back to the house."

Hermione nodded and squeezed her daughter’s hand. "Thank you for being my rock, Julie."

"Of course," Julie said. "Anything, mum."

"Let's go home," Harry said softly.

Hermione nodded. "I could use something to drink."

"Greta's made lunch for us," Julie told them.

"That's good of her," Hermione said softly.

"Cooking keeps her mind off of everything," Julie said.

Lavender hugged her cousin again as they approached the group. "I don't know what I'd do without you here," she said.

"Me too," Hermione agreed.

Lavender looked around for her stepson. "Gabriel?" she called out.

"Yeah?" Gabriel asked coming over.

Lavender hugged him. "Just want you close by is all."

Gabriel smiled and hugged her back. "I'm right here."

"So am I," Seamus appeared.

"My boys," Lavender said putting an arm around both of them.

"Come on," Gabriel said. "We should get you back to the house. I'll even go out later and get you some sushi."

Lavender didn't know if she'd feel up to eating it, but she appreciated the gesture just the same.

"Aren't you going to visit Alexa later?" Seamus asked his son.

Gabriel nodded. "Later this afternoon."

"She'll remember you," Lavender said. "Alexa loves you, and deep down she'll remember that."

"I hope so," Gabriel said.

"If everyone wants to come back to the house, we'll have a meal there," Harry told the group.

Katie grabbed Caroline's hand. "You're coming, right?"

Caroline nodded. "My mummy said I can stay with you all day if you want, Katie."

Katie nodded and gave her best friend a hug. "It's better having you here."

"I'm glad," Caroline said.

"My bestest friend," Katie said linking arms with Caroline.

"Come on Adam," Emma took her brother's hand. "We have to go eat."

"Kay, kay," Adam said smiling at his big sister.

"Em will teach you all about lunch," Emma said.

"Kay?" Adam asked her uncertainly.

"It's a good thing," Emma promised. "We get to eat!"

"Come on then," Jon said to his two youngest. "Let's go."

"Daddy," Adam pulled free of his sister. "Hold!"

Jon picked up his son. "Okay, buddy."

"Eat?" Adam asked.

"Are you hungry?" Jon asked him.

Adam nodded. "Now."

Allison laughed. "Well, we'd better get them back to Harry and Hermione's."

The large group assembled back at the Minister's mansion and tucked into the large lunch Greta had prepared.

Julie walked over to where Josh was standing with Aidan. "I'm really glad you and Lizzy could be here today."

"We wouldn't have been anywhere else, Jules." Josh said.

Julie made a goofy face at Aidan who laughed. "They're getting so big, Josh."

"Too big for my liking," Josh said ruefully.

"It seems like just yesterday Katie and Ashley were that little," Julie said.

"I know what you mean," Josh looked over at Julie's children. "Seems like yesterday that we were too young to even HAVE kids in the first place."

Julie laughed. "We're getting old, Joshie."

"You're older than me," he teased, pinching her arm gently.

"Ha-ha," Julie said nudging him.

"How are you holding up, really?" Josh asked, growing serious.

"As best as can be expected," Julie replied. "Mum and Dad are really protective right now."

"Understandable," Josh nodded.

"I'm sure you noticed the guard around the cemetery," Julie said referring to the group of Aurors who had surrounded the cemetery.

Josh nodded. "They're really worried this creep is coming after you now, eh?"

She told him about the latest correspondence from the kidnapper. "Two down, two to go."

"That's sick," Josh said angrily.

"That's Dolohov," Julie said bitterly.

"You're going to be okay, Jules," Josh said. "Nick and your dad wouldn't let anything happen."

Julie smiled. "I know. But, I'm sure Ethan and Saffy felt the same way. "

Josh nodded. "I suppose you're right."

"Hi, Jooo-lie," Aidan said reaching for her.

Julie picked the little boy up. "Hello, handsome. You're looking more and more like your daddy, you know that?"

Aidan nodded and put his arms around her neck, resting his head on her shoulder.

"I needed that," Julie said patting his back. "Thank you, Aidan."

"Love Joooooles." Aidan said.

Julie kissed the top of his head. "I love you too, Aidan."

"Hey me too!" Casey said. "Me too!"

"Case, she only has two arms," Josh said.

"I'll give you a hug next," Julie promised. "Okay, Miss Casey?"

"You know what you could do?" Josh asked his little girl. "How about you go and give your Aunt Hermione a big hug and kiss?"

"Kay," Casey agreed as Josh set her down. She toddled over to Hermione and tugged on her robes.

Hermione looked down at the little red-haired girl. Before Hermione could say anything, Casey held up her arms and said, "Hug!"

Hermione's eyes welled up with tears but she smiled. "I'd love to hug you, sweetheart." she picked the little girl up.

"Don't be sad," Casey said putting her arms around Hermione's neck. "No sad."

"I'm trying not to be," Hermione kissed her cheek. "But you just made me feel loads better, Casey."

Casey beamed at her. "Miss Sassy?"

Hermione let out a choked sob that she tried to turn into a laugh. "We hope Sassy will be home soon, Casey."

Harry joined them. "Instant mood lifter, isn't she?"

Hermione nodded. "It definitely helps."

"I made you a plate," Harry told her. "You should try and eat something, Hermione."

"I'm not that hungry--" she began to argue.

"Eat," Casey said firmly. "Eat."

"Come on," Harry said. "Do what Case tells you to do. She knows best, right sweetheart?"

Casey nodded.

"Maybe I'll just have a little," Hermione relented.

"Yay," Casey said happily.

"Will you help me, Casey?" Hermione asked.

Casey nodded and Harry smiled. "Thanks, Miss Casey."

Hermione looked at her husband. "Thank you, Harry."

He nodded. "I'm going to head back to Headquarters."

"Let me know if you find out anything," Hermione said.

"The moment I hear anything," Harry promised.

"Bye, bye, Harry!" Casey said excitedly.

Harry smiled. "Bye Case."

Hermione watched him go as she had a number of times these last few weeks. This time she prayed he would come back with some answers.

"Two down, two to go," she repeated to herself as she sat down with Casey. What had that meant, exactly? What other two could there be? They only had one other child.

Could Dolohov mean taking either her or Harry? He hated them both equally.

"Hey," Casey said, picking up the fork. "Here!"

"Thank you, Case," Hermione said taking it from her.

"Em says eat it all," Casey told her.

Hermione laughed. "She does, does she?"

Casey nodded. "Right Em?"

Emma looked over at her cousin from across the table. "No waste, Case."

"See?" Casey said. "No waste."

Hermione looked down at the smiling little girl in her lap and grinned. Casey reminded her so much of Saffron. Not in the way she looked, but Casey had the same temperament that Saffron had at that same age.

"Happy!" Casey clapped her hands.

"Having you and your brothers and all my family here makes me feel happier," Hermione told her.

"And me too, right?" Emma asked.

"Absolutely," Hermione said looking at the four-year old who had a dab of chocolate on her nose.

"And Adam," Emma said. "And Sissy."

"And Adam and Caroline," Hermione added.

Emma nodded in satisfaction. "No, Adam!" she squealed. "You eat the cake after!"

Adam looked innocently at his sister.

"Not yet," Emma took the cake away.

Adam's lower lip trembled.

"After," Emma repeated firmly.

Adam looked helplessly at Allison. "Mama?"

"What is it my love?" Allison asked.

"Want cake," Adam said pointing at Emma.

"You can have cake," Allison told him.

Emma shook her head. "No, Mummy! Cake is after food!"

"Em, it's okay." Allison told her daughter. "Adam can have some cake if he wants."

Emma reluctantly slid the small plate back to her little brother.

"Mmmm..." Adam dug into it with his little fist.

Julie laughed. "Merlin, he reminds me of Jon at that age.”

"Digging into everything he could," Luna said fondly.

Jon smiled. "Well, he is a Weasley."

Allison grinned at her husband. "He sure is."

Josh looked over at Hermione. "Case isn't bothering you, is she, Aunt Hermione?"

"Not at all," Hermione said.

On the other side of the table, RJ was sitting with his father. He had seen firsthand what losing her grandfather had done to Saffron, he couldn't imagine what it would be like for her to find out she'd lost her grandmother, too. This, of course, also had him thinking about what he'd do if his own grandparents passed away. Nana and Grandpa Arthur were in good health, though, as was Grandpa Ernie.

"What's on your mind?" Ron asked his youngest son.

"Just thinking about Nana," RJ told him. "I can't imagine losing her. She's so much a part of our family."

"She sure is," Ron said. "I don't know what I'd do without her either."

"I'm gonna try and spend more time with her and Grandpa," RJ vowed. "And Grandpa Ernie. I don't want to take them for granted."

"You know she loves having you there," Ron said. "And she adores Audrey. You've got yourself a great girlfriend, RJ."

RJ looked down at his plate. "Um… yeah. Audrey's great."

"Are you two having problems?" Ron asked. "With this whole Alexa situation?"

"It's been hard on her," RJ replied. "But, it was the right thing to do. It still is, Dad. She needs me. I can't just abandon her."

"Just don't neglect everything else in your life," Ron cautioned.

"I won't," RJ said. "I'm going to get another piece of cake. Do you want one?"

"I'll take another two pieces," Ron answered.

RJ shook his head. "I thought you would."

RJ approached the counter where the cake was. Hermione was standing there as well. "Hi Aunt Hermione," he said.

"Your niece wanted another piece of cake," Hermione told him.

"She's just like Em," RJ said.

Hermione nodded. "Having them here has made me feel better."

"I'm glad," RJ said. "You know... if there's anything I could do to help out in finding Ethan and Saffy..."

"I appreciate that," Hermione told him. "You know I was really happy when Saffy told me that the two of you had made up."

"She missed me too much," RJ said with a grin.

Hermione grinned back. "She said the same thing about you."

"You know the team owner agreed to hold her place on the team," RJ said. "We're using the reserve for now."

Hermione felt a fresh set of tears well up in her eyes. Saffron had been so excited about starting her professional career.

"It'll be okay," RJ said. "I know they'll find them."

"Thank you," Hermione said giving him a hug. "Thank you, RJ."

"Anything I can do to help, just tell me." RJ said, picking up some slices of cake.

"I will," Hermione promised. She picked the last slice of cake for Casey and brought it back to the table for the eager little girl.

"Yum, yum!" Casey said happily.

Hermione laughed. "Would you let me have a bite, too?"

"Bite," Casey said, digging in and holding the fork up.

Hermione took a bite. "Do you know Casey that this is Saffy's favourite cake? German chocolate."

"Sassy," Casey nodded. "Miss her."

"Me too," Hermione said. "She and Ethan used to argue over who would get the last slice."

"Give to Case," Casey said.

Hermione smiled. "You get the last slice, eh?"

"For me," Casey said, nodding.

"For Case," Hermione agreed.

"And me!" Emma said. "Em always wants cake!"

Everyone laughed at that. Ron tickled his granddaughter.

Hermione felt better having her family and friends surround her. And now all that really mattered was finding her son and daughter.

*** *** ***

Maddie stared into the mirror. She didn't recognise the face that stared back at her. Her face was pale and her eyes were red from all the crying she'd done. She and Ethan had never spent more than a couple of nights apart since their marriage.

"Maddie," Frankie came into the room. "Are you ready-- Maddie?"

Maddie splashed some cold water on her face. "Yes, I'm sorry I made you wait."

"It's okay," Frankie put a hand on her friend's arm. "You take your time."

Maddie gave her a half smile. "Mum said she'd tell me when you arrived."

"I sort of slipped in," Frankie said.

"Oh," Maddie said. "Well, I guess we should go. My appointment is at 9:30."

Frankie squeezed her hand. "Will's at home with the kids so I can stay as long as you need me."

"Thank you," Maddie said giving her a hug.

"It's going to be okay, Maddie," Frankie told her. "You're going to have a baby and Ethan's going to be just fine."

"I want him here," Maddie said softly. "I need him here."

"I know," Frankie said soothingly. "But in the meantime we're here to take care of you... and your child."

Maddie patted her stomach. "My baby."

"That's right," Frankie smiled at her. "What you've been waiting for."

"What Ethan and I have been waiting for," Maddie said softly. "And he has no idea. He has no idea that we're going to have a baby."

"He will," Frankie told her. "He's going to be thrilled when he comes home and finds out."

Maddie nodded. She dreamt about him doing that every night. But, so far, that's all that it was---a dream.

She walked out of the bathroom and into her bedroom. Blue sat forlornly in his cage looking at Maddie.

"Hi baby," she said softly, unhooking the door to his cage.

"He misses Ethan, eh?" Frankie asked.

Maddie nodded. "Almost as much as me, don't you Blue?"

The pixie flew out of the cage and onto Maddie's shoulder.

"He's been trying to make me feel better," Maddie said fondly.

"Like you always do when people are sad," Frankie said softly.

"He's more like me than I ever thought, I suppose." Maddie rubbed her finger under Blue's chin.

Blue looked lovingly at her.

"He's so sweet," Frankie said as Blue flew back into his cage.

"He is," Maddie said locking the cage. "I'll be back soon."

Blue chirped at her then flew up to his swing.

"So do you think they'll tell you what the baby is yet?" Frankie asked. "I know you're dying to find out if it's a boy or a girl."

"I'm not sure," Maddie said grabbing her cloak and bag. "I hope so."

"What do YOU think it is?" Frankie asked. "I know you have a feeling about these things..."

"Well, when I think about the baby," Maddie replied thoughtfully. "I see a little girl."

Frankie smiled. "What else do you see?"

"I see Ethan standing with me," Maddie said. "We're a family."

"I like the sound of that," Frankie said softly. "You deserve to be a happy family."

Maddie smiled at her friend. "I have to believe that he's coming back."

"That's right," Frankie said supportively. "He and Saffron are going to come back safe and sound."

Maddie followed her friend downstairs. Maddie stepped inside the sitting room to say goodbye to her parents.

"Promise you'll be careful?" Ron asked his daughter.

"I'll be fine, Daddy." Maddie told him. "We're going straight to the healer then straight back here."

Ron gave her a hug. "I'd feel better if you'd let me come with you."

"We'll be okay, I promise." Maddie told him.

"I worry about my baby girl," Ron said.

"I know," Maddie said. "And I love you for it."

"I'll keep an eye on her," Frankie promised.

"Tell us everything when you get home," Luna squeezed her daughter's hands.

"Tell us all about my little grandson in there," Ron said with a grin.

"Daddy, it might be a little girl," Maddie said. "You never know..."

"Just my hope showing through," Ron laughed.

Frankie laughed, too. "You know you wouldn't mind having another little girl to spoil like Emma, Caroline, Casey, and Chloe."

"If Maddie has a little boy, it will even things out," Ron pointed out. "I'll have four granddaughters and four grandsons."

"Who knows, she might wind up with twins," Frankie said. "Come on Mads, we're going to be late."

"Right," Maddie said. "Bye, Mum. Bye, Daddy."

"We'll see you in a bit," Ron said, settling on the sofa with the newspaper.

Maddie and Frankie Apparated just outside the house. They arrived at St. Mungos just a couple of minutes before her appointment.

"Madeline Potter," Maddie told the receptionist. "I have an appointment at 9:30 with Healer Parkinson."

"She's expecting you," the receptionist said. "You can go right into room two."

"Could my friend come with me?" Maddie asked.

"Of course," the receptionist answered.

Frankie linked her arm with Maddie's and they headed toward the examination room. "I remember when I went to my first one of these. I was scared out of my mind."

"You were?" Maddie asked. "How come?"

"I was freaked out about having a baby," Frankie replied. "I mean the actual labour part. I wasn't sure I could handle it. I'm not a big fan of pain----” Her voice trailed off as she thought about what she was saying. "I'll just shut up now. This is just your first appointment. No need to worry about pain now. Or ever. It's not that bad. Really."

"When my time comes, you'll be there with me, right?" Maddie asked.

"Absolutely," Frankie promised. "And so will Ethan."

"I hope so," Maddie said as she sat on the examination table.

"He will be," Frankie said.

Pansy came into the room. "Hello Maddie, hello Frankie."

"Hello, Pansy," Maddie replied warmly.

When I'm finished with Maddie, I need to check on the Spangler Triplets. I'm also going to have to owl St. Margaret's to see if they have any news on that case I wrote them about.

Maddie patted her stomach. She felt bad for hearing what Pansy was thinking. None of this was her business. But, because this was the baby's gift, it wasn't as if Maddie had any control over what she heard or didn't hear.

"How have you been feeling?" Pansy asked as Maddie began to turn a bit green.

"The...the morning sickness hasn't been too bad," Maddie said. "And I've been taking the vitamins."

“Are you still hearing--" Pansy was interrupted by Maddie launching off the table and retching into the sink.

Frankie winced. She never liked seeing someone do that.

"I--I'm sorry," Maddie replied, taking a towel from Pansy. "And yes, I'm still hearing other people's thoughts. Just---just now I heard you thinking about the Spangler triplets and some case you were owling another hospital about. I'm---I'm sorry."

"It's not your fault," Pansy said reassuringly.

Frankie filled one of the plastic cups with water and gave it to a grateful Maddie.

"Thanks," she said, rinsing her mouth then sipping the water carefully.

Pansy smiled sympathetically at her patient. "Okay, Madeline. Today, we're going to check your vitals and make sure everything is normal. We can probably also check the sex of the baby. If you want to know, that is."

"I want to know," Maddie nodded.

"Alright," Pansy nodded. "I'll need to change into this gown. Frankie and I will step out so you can get changed."

"All right," Maddie reached for it and began to tug up on her jumper.

Frankie and Pansy left her alone and Maddie leaned against the examination table. She wished Ethan were here.

Tears welled up in her eyes as she changed into the gown. "Ethan... why can't you be here with me right now?" she whispered.

He should be here holding her hand and making jokes to put her mind at ease. He should be there when they found out whether they were having a boy or a girl.

She sighed as she folded her jeans and jumper and sat back on the table. Frankie and Pansy came back in moments later.

"We'll get started then," Pansy said. Frankie took Maddie's hand.

Pansy went through a series of spells and had Maddie take a number of potions.

"Will I have to do this every time I come for an exam?" Maddie asked.

Pansy nodded. "Unfortunately."

Maddie sighed. "Well if it'll keep me posted on my baby's safety..."

"It will," Pansy said. "You're at four and a half months now. Your vitals are all good and the baby seems quite healthy. In fact, I think I can show you a picture. You've heard of a Muggle ultrasound, right?"

Maddie nodded. "Of course. And that will tell me if I'm having a boy or girl?"

"Yes," Pansy said. "You'll need to lie back for me."

She adjusted the table with a flick of her wand and Maddie lay down with Frankie still holding her hand.

With another flick of her wand, the lights in the room dimmed. A small screen came out of the ceiling and lowered before them. Pansy waved her wand around Maddie's abdomen. Maddie gasped when she saw something appear on the screen.

Pansy studied the screen and smiled. "That...Mrs. Potter is your...baby girl."

"A girl?" Maddie whispered. "I'm having a girl?"

Pansy nodded. "And she looks quite healthy. Would you like to hear her heartbeat?"

"I'd love to," Maddie looked at Frankie. "It seems like Izzie's going to have a best friend."

Frankie beamed at her. "Just like us!"

A thumping sound filled the room and Maddie's eyes welled with tears. "That's my baby..."

"That's her," Pansy said. "Strong heartbeat."

Maddie nodded. "Strong..."

"We already know her hearing's great," Frankie joked.

Maddie managed a weak smile. "That's very true."

"I'm going to take some pictures of her for you," Pansy said.

"Thank you," Maddie said softly, touching her stomach.

"You're having a girl!" Frankie squealed.

Maddie wished she could get more excited, but she missed Ethan so much her heart felt heavy in her chest.

"Now, I'll want to see you back here in another month," Pansy told her. "Keep taking the vitamins and try and keep your stress level to a minimum."

"Kind of hard right now, but I'll try," Maddie promised.

Pansy squeezed her hand. "I understand."

"Thank you for fitting me in this way," Maddie told her, sitting back up.

"Of course," Pansy replied. "And if you need anything, just let me know. I'll leave those pictures at the front desk for you."

"Thank you so much," Maddie said.

"I'll wait outside while you get changed," Frankie said.

"I'll only be a minute," Maddie said.

"Take your time," Frankie said giving her a quick hug.

Maddie pulled her clothes back on, her mind reeling. She was having a girl. A baby daughter.

"Ethan," Maddie whispered. "You're going to have a daughter."

Many, many kilometres away, Ethan awoke with a jolt, startling Saffron out of sleep.

"Ethan?" Saffron asked sleepily.

"Sorry," he mumbled. "I... thought I heard someone calling me."

Saffron rubbed her eyes and pulled back her covers. She stood up and stretched her arms. "Happy Birthday, Daddy."

"How do you know what day it is?" Ethan asked her. He had lost track of the hours and days ever since coming here.

"I've been keeping a tally," Saffron said.

"Oh," Ethan said. "It's weird... I thought I heard Maddie talking to me."

Saffron sat down on the edge of the bed. "Oh yeah?"

"Yeah," Ethan rubbed the back of his head.

"I wish old Gordon would let us write home," Saffron said. "What would it hurt?"

"He's an asshole," Ethan said bitterly, hitting the wall.

"You forgot crazy, psychotic and demented," Saffron chimed in.

Ethan snorted. "You hit it right on the head."

Saffron looked thoughtfully at her brother. "Come on, Ethan. I've been thinking. You know how the food arrives at the same time every day?"

"Yeah," Ethan nodded.

"He has this room warded," Saffron said. "We both know that. But---he has to break those wards when the food comes."

"So you think we should make a run for it?" Ethan asked.

Saffron looked at him. "What do you think? I mean, we'd have to act fast."

"Really fast," Ethan said. "And there's a really good chance that only one of us would get out. I could handle myself in here, but I'd hate to think of what he'd do if it were you alone again in here."

"You don't think we should risk it?" Saffron asked.

"I'm not sure," Ethan said. "I mean, I want to get out of here more than anything. But I can't risk your safety."

"It was just an idea," Saffron said. "Maybe...maybe if I'd thought of it before he grabbed you, we wouldn't be in this situation."

"Don't think on that," Ethan told her. "It was a good idea, Saf."

Saffron put her head on his shoulder. "You know what I'm going to do when we get out of here? I'm going to go and visit Gran and give her a big hug.

"Me too," Ethan said. "And mum will make her killer lasagne for us."

"Ooooh and Greta will make oatmeal raisin biscuits and German Chocolate cake," Saffron said, her mouth watering just thinking about it.

"And Uncle Ron will try and eat all of it before we even get there," Ethan added.

Saffron laughed. "No, Emma will! And Maddie will eat everything on your plate!"

"I miss her, Saf." Ethan turned serious.

"I know," Saffron said softly.

"We haven't been apart this long since we got together," Ethan said.

Saffron smiled at him. "Don't forget Blue."

"That little monster," The corner of Ethan's mouth turned up.

"He loves you now," Saffron said. She giggled as she remembered how the pixie used to treat Ethan.

"Yeah," Ethan said. "He's a funny little guy."

"So's Puddles," Saffron said. "I hope Mum and Dad are looking out for him."

"You know they are," Ethan reassured her.

Saffron nodded. "I miss everyone."

Ethan was going to say something when the door opened suddenly. Gordon stood carrying a bag that he tossed into the room.

"It's for you, Hermione," Gordon said smiling at Saffron. "Do you remember that dress you wore for the Christmas ball? I found the exact same dress for you!"

"Get away from her," Ethan said, moving in front of his sister. "You sick bastard."

"I want her in that dress," Gordon said. "Tonight, she's going to have dinner with me."

"No I'm not," Saffron spoke up.

"Yes you are, my love," Gordon said calmly.

"Get the hell out of here," Ethan kicked the bag towards the man. "My sister isn't ever going ANYWHERE with you."

"You will be ready tonight at seven," Gordon told Saffron, ignoring Ethan. "I arranged for all your favourites, Hermione."

"I'm not Hermione," Saffron told him. "I am Saffron Potter. I'm her daughter with Harry Potter. You remember him, right?"

Gordon's face darkened. "Potter has nothing to do with us."

"He's our father," Saffron shot back. "And when he finds us---"

"Crucio!" Gordon shouted, pointing his wand at Ethan.

"No!" Saffron shouted, watching in horror as her brother collapsed in pain. "Ethan!"

Ethan bared his teeth, refusing to cry out. He wouldn't give Gordon the satisfaction.

"Stop!" Saffron begged, tears streaming down her face. "Please, stop. I'll have dinner with you, I'll do whatever you want! Just please stop torturing him!"

Gordon laughed. "That's all I wanted. You see we could have avoided this if you'd only said yes to begin with, my love."

Saffron's shoulders shook and she couldn't even look at her captor.

Gordon waved his wand and the excruciating pain Ethan had been feeling stopped.

Saffron immediately dropped to her brother's side. "Are you okay? Ethan--"

Ethan nodded and grabbed on to his sister for support.

"I'll be back for you at seven, my love." Gordon gave her an adoring look before backing out of the room.

"You're---you're not going to eat dinner with him," Ethan promised his sister.

"But what if he comes back and does that to you again?" Saffron asked.

"It doesn't matter," Ethan said shaking his head. "You aren't going anywhere with him."

"I have to," Saffron's hands were trembling. "He's coming back for me."

"No, he's not," Ethan said struggling to sit up. Saffron helped him back over to the bed. "You can pretend that you're sick or something, but I'll be damned if he's taking you out of this room."

"Ethan--" Saffron protested.

"No, Saffron!" Ethan retorted. "What if he tries something? I won't be there to help you. If something happened to you, I wouldn't be able to live with myself."

"But what if I'm out there and I can somehow send an alert... or something that tells Dad where we are?" Saffron argued. "This could be our chance, Ethan!"

Ethan knew his sister had a point, but he didn't want to put her in danger like that.

"I have to do this," Saffron said, tears in her eyes.

Ethan shook his head. "No. Saffy, if anything happened to you---"

"It's a risk we have to take!" Saffron exclaimed.

"Saffy," Ethan said quietly. "Dad would kill me if I let you put yourself in danger like that."

"You can't stop me," Saffron said. "Ethan... I have to do what I can, just as you would do this if you could."

"You are stubborn as a mule," Ethan grumbled.

"Just like mum," Saffron said.

Ethan gave her a weak smile. "I can't believe I'm actually considering this."

"There's nothing to consider," Saffron reached for the bag.

Ethan had a very bad feeling about this, but Saffron was right. This might be there only chance to find a way out or to at least get word to their parents.

"I'll be careful," Saffron promised. "And I won't let him touch me."

"He's probably not going to let you out of his sight," Ethan said thoughtfully.

"I'll do what I can to send word, somehow." Saffron pulled some robes from the bag. "Ugh!"

"What is it?" Ethan asked.

"These!" Saffron pulled some robes out. "These are hideous!"

"Those are purple," Ethan said his nose scrunching up in disgust.

"They're PUCE!" Saffron said, throwing them aside. "Which is the ugliest colour in the world."

"You sound like Aunt Lav," Ethan said. "Eww...they smell, too, Saf."

Saffron sighed. "It's only for a few hours..."

"Which gives us enough time to come up with a plan," Ethan whispered.

Saffron nodded and moved next to the bed. "We'll have to keep quiet in case he's listening."

"Right," Ethan said. "Do you know any wandless magic?"

"Not really," Saffron said. "I mean, I've done things without a wand, but never when I meant to."

"Okay," Ethan said trying to think of a game plan that would work. "Chances are, he's not going to leave you alone for more than a few seconds."

"Probably not," Saffron agreed. "Maybe though... if there's an owl or something nearby, I can send it out with a note to Mum and Dad."

Ethan struggled to get to his feet. He was still disoriented from the Crucio. He grabbed a pencil and a piece of paper from the desk.

"Mum and Dad," Saffron began to dictate quietly in case Gordon was listening in. "We want to let you know that we're safe."

Ethan wrote everything down verbatim.

"We... we aren’t sure where we are," Saffron rubbed at her eyes. "But we can tell you we're with Gordon Devereaux. We think his plan is to kidnap Mum and Julie and take us all somewhere that we can't get away."

Ethan continued to transcribe his sister's words.

"Do you think we're in Godric's Hollow?" he asked her looking up. "I mean, that's where I was when he took me."

"I don't know," Saffron said. "I just... don't know. All I can see outside through the cracks in those boards is trees."

"No other houses or anything distinguishable?" Ethan asked.

Saffron got up and peered outside again. "Nothing," she said after several long minutes.

"Great," Ethan grumbled. He picked up the pencil again. "What else?"

"We want to come home," Saffron said softly.

Ethan nodded and wrote that last line and then signed both their names. He folded the letter and handed it to his sister.

Saffron sighed. "Let's just hope I can find a way to send it."

"Be careful," Ethan told her. "And if he tries anything, knee him in the groin."

Saffron nodded. "I should get dressed..."

Ethan and Saffron need not have worried about Gordon eavesdropping on their conversation. He was too busy making final preparations for that evening's meal. A smile played on his lips as he set the table.

"Just the way you always liked it, Hermione." he said to himself.

He couldn't believe his luck. He was going to have dinner with the woman of his dreams.

"Hermione," Gordon said. "This is our second chance. And I'm not going to mess up this time. Just a little longer and we’ll have our oldest daughter with us and we can be a real family."

"Potter will never bother us again," Gordon said angrily. "He cost us all those years. But, we'll make up for it. You, me, Julie, Ethan, and little Saffy."

He hummed. "Time to pick up my love," he said, looking at himself in the mirror.

219. Chapter 219

In the small bedroom, Ethan was giving Saffron last minute instructions.

"If you concentrate on one area of magic, you can do it wandlessly." Ethan coached. "I know it's hard, but if he comes at you, you do what you can to get out of there. Don't worry about me if you can get out of his place."

"I won't leave you," Saffron said firmly.

"You can't stay if you have the chance to escape," Ethan said. "You can tell them where to come back for me."

Saffron shook her head. "We'll leave here together, Ethan. He could kill you!"

"I'd rather you get out of here," Ethan said. "Saffy--"

"When we leave," Saffron said firmly. "We walk out of here together, Ethan."

Ethan sighed. "I'm not going to convince you otherwise, am I?"

"No," Saffron said. "Remember? Stubborn as a mule."

Ethan sent her a half smile. "Just be careful, Saffron."

"I will," Saffron promised. She gave him a hug.

"Love you, brat." Ethan said gruffly. "Don't make me regret this."

"Love you too," Saffron said. "I am scared, but I know this might be our only chance."

"You're pretty brave, Saf," Ethan said. "If you weren't so into Quidditch I'd recommend you becoming an Auror."

Saffron beamed at him. "Really?"

"Definitely," Ethan said.

The door swung open and Saffron and Ethan turned around.

"Hermione," Gordon stared at her. "You... you look..."

"Hideous," Saffron muttered under her breath.

"Nonsense," Gordon completely ignored Ethan. "Come... I have everything ready for our evening."

"You lay one finger on her," Ethan warned.

"You don't tell me what to do, Potter." Gordon warned.

Saffron reluctantly stepped forward and looked defiantly at her captor. "Hermione---your eyes," Gordon said frowning. "When did they turn green?"

"They've always been green," Saffron snapped.

Gordon shook his head. "No, you have the prettiest brown eyes I've ever seen."

"I've never had brown eyes," Saffron said sharply. "My MOTHER does."

"Saffron," Gordon said seeming to break out of his reverie.

Saffron cast a look at her brother, almost wishing she hadn't agreed to do this.

Ethan knew that Gordon would have to break the wards when he let Saffron step out of the room. He was going to try and get out with them, but he had to time it just right.

"Come," he stretched out his hand. "I have your favourite dinner prepared."

Saffron looked at her brother. "Um...”

"Hermione," Gordon's eyes glazed over.

Saffron stepped over the threshold and Ethan made a run for it.

Gordon seemed to snap. He held out a hand and Ethan smashed headfirst into an invisible barrier.

"ETHAN!" Saffron screamed.

"HE DOESN'T MATTER!" Gordon snapped angrily.

Saffron tried to reach out to her brother, but Gordon angrily pulled her away.

"Ethan!" Saffron's eyes filled with tears.

"Don't let him ruin our evening," Gordon said pushing her into another room. Saffron felt her skin crawl as she saw photographs of her mother all over the walls.

"Sit," Gordon said.

Saffron reluctantly did so, but felt a little better when she saw three owls in a cage by the window.

"Our dinner is nearly ready," Gordon said, looking at her with a different glint to his eye.

"W-what are we having?" Saffron stammered.

"Your favourite," Gordon winked at her.

"My favourite is my mum's lasagne," Saffron said sarcastically. "Do you have that?"

Gordon's face hardened. "Your favourite was never lasagne, Hermione."

Saffron decided not to antagonize him.

"Sit," Gordon gestured to the chair. "Have some wine."

Saffron shook her head. "No."

"I want you to have some wine," Gordon said, his voice tight.

"Gordon," Saffron said softly. "Can I please have some pumpkin juice instead? You remember how we used to drink that when we were studying at Beauxbatons?"

He stared at her a long moment. "You remember..."

Saffron remembered her mother always talking about drinking pumpkin juice when she studied. "Of course," Saffron said. "Could I please have some of that instead? Since we're remembering the good, old times, right?"

Gordon nodded slowly. "Yes Hermione. I'll go get you some juice. I just bought some today." he shuffled out of the room.

Saffron knew this was her chance. She removed the letter from underneath her dress.

Sneaking quickly over to the cage, she opened it and tied the letter to one owl's leg. "Please go fast," she whispered. "Please..."

The owl flew out the window and Saffron clasped the cage again and sat back down just as Gordon came back into the room carrying two glasses of juice.

"Here you go," Gordon said. "Just the way you like it, Hermione."

Saffron took the glass from him. "Thank you."

Gordon nodded to the dish he'd prepared. "Eat up."

Saffron looked at the dish before her. "Um...what is it?"

"Shepherd's Pie," Gordon answered as if she should have known.

"Oh," Saffron said. "It--it looks great."

He put a large slice on her plate. "Eat up." he said again, watching her.

Saffron's hand was shaking as she picked up her fork.

It was all she could do to swallow it down. It was undoubtedly one of the worst meals she'd ever eaten.

"Where is it that you want to take us?" Saffron asked him.

"Not far from here," Gordon said with a smile.

"Where is here?" Saffron asked. "This place that you've kept us?"

"All in due time, love." Gordon said. "Once everyone else is here..."

"Everyone," Saffron said bitterly. "Like my older sister and my mother, you mean?"

"We'll be a family, little one," Gordon slid closer to her.

Saffron backed away, feeling her skin crawl. "What are you going to do with my father?"

"Potter," Gordon's face took on a sneer.

"He loves my mother very much," Saffron said. "And my sister has a family. My brother has a wife. I'm about to start a career of my own. You're going to take us away from all of that?"

"I'm giving you what's rightfully yours," Gordon told her.

"And what's that?" Saffron asked.

"Me, Hermione..." Gordon said, leaning towards her.

Saffron visibly recoiled. "Saffron. My name is Saffron."

Gordon appeared not to have heard her. "Hermione... I've waited so long for this. I love you."

Saffron pushed back from her chair. "I'm not Hermione!"

"Sit down!" Gordon barked.

Saffron hesitated. What she really wanted to do was run back to the room where Ethan was. She found it hard to believe that her mother had ever been friends with this psycho. "You scare me when you call me by my mother's name."

Gordon stared at her for several long moments, his eyes going in and out of focus. "Hermione," he said his tone as pleasant as ever. "I do hope you'll finish your dinner. I worked hard at making it this afternoon."

Saffron reluctantly sat back down.

Gordon visibly calmed. "I made it with peas and spinach and mushrooms, just how you liked it when we were at school."

"I didn't go to school with you," Saffron said moving the food around on her plate with her fork. "I went to Hogwarts."

"We talked about Hogwarts," Gordon said. "About what it would be like to go to school there."

Saffron didn't answer him. She just wanted this to be over.

"I'm so glad you wore your hair down," Gordon touched Saffron's long, bushy hair.

Saffron shuddered and turned her head away from him.

"Look at me, Hermione." Gordon commanded.

Saffron turned her head and glared at him defiantly.

"You're angry about something, I can tell." Gordon said. "You always look so beautiful when you're angry."

"I'm angry," Saffron said sarcastically. "Because you have kidnapped my brother and me and are holding us here against my will. Not to mention the fact that you seem to confuse me with my mother. I wonder why that would make me angry?"

He blinked. "Saffron?"

"Yes," Saffron said through clenched teeth.

Gordon stared at her. "Eat."

Saffron took a bite of the food and resisted the urge to spit it out.

"I went and got some chocolate mousse for dessert," Gordon said. "I know how much you always loved chocolate."

Saffron sighed. One minute she was Saffron to him and the next second, he was seeing her as her mother. "May I ask you a question?"

"Yes," Gordon nodded.

"How did you get out of St. Mungos?" Saffron asked him point blank. She couldn't imagine them letting him go if he was this insane.

"St. Mungos?" Gordon asked. "Why would I be there, Hermione?"

"Isn't that where you've been all this time?" Saffron asked him. "Ever since you tried to kill my father and rape my mother?"

Gordon narrowed his eyes. "Who told you those lies?"

"Lies?" Saffron countered.

"Yes, lies." Gordon shoved back his chair. "I'd never do anything to hurt you, Hermione. NEVER!"

"Keeping my children away from me hurts me," Saffron said deciding to go along with his delusion. "Let Saffron and Ethan go."

"I can't," Gordon said. "We need Julie then we can be a real family. Just like we were meant to be."

Saffron pushed back from her chair. "I'd like to go back to my room. I'm not feeling very well."

She turned to go back to the bedroom when Gordon grabbed her and pulled her close.

"You can't run away from me, Hermione." Gordon said in a low voice, touching her cheek.

Saffron squirmed in his arms. "Let me go!"

"One kiss," Gordon said, leaning in.

Saffron reached back and slapped him as hard as she could.

"Little bitch!" Gordon roared, shoving her back into the wall.

Saffron saw the look in his eyes and she backed away from him. She wasn't going to let him touch her. She'd die first.

"Get the hell out of here," Gordon snapped.

Saffron looked at him with wide eyes. "Y-you're letting me go?"

"To your room," Gordon grabbed her arm forcefully.

Saffron was silent as he pulled her back to the room. She just wanted to see Ethan. She felt safe with her brother.

Ethan was lying on the bed, his hand over his eyes when Gordon shoved Saffron back into the room.

"Sweet dreams, my love," Gordon said slamming the door shut.

Ethan looked at his sister. "Saffy?"

"Ethan," Saffron rushed towards him. "I did it," she whispered. "I sent the letter."

Ethan hugged her tightly. "Did he hurt you?"

Saffron shook her head. "He tried to kiss me and I slapped him."

Ethan felt anger surge through him. "That son-of-a-bitch! Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," Saffron said. "He's so freaky, Ethan. He calls me Hermione one moment then he calls me Saffron the next. He's absolutely mad!"

"I'm just glad you're okay," Ethan said hugging her again. "And you sent the letter!"

Saffron nodded. "He got me some juice and I ran to one of his owls and sent it. I hope Dad gets it."

"Good job," Ethan said smiling reassuringly at her. "You did it, Saf."

"We're going to get out of here, right?" Saffron asked.

"Absolutely," Ethan said putting his arm around her. "Thanks to my little sister."

"I have to get out of these robes," Saffron looked at them with disgust.

"Go ahead," Ethan said.

He lay back down on the bed and turned his back to his sister while she changed quickly and tossed the robes at the door in a heap.

"When Dad receives that letter, he'll have the best birthday present ever," Ethan said trying to cheer up his sister.

"I hope so," Saffron scraped her hair back from her face.

"Are you sure you're okay?" Ethan asked turning around to look at his sister.

Saffron sighed. "Yeah..."

"Do you want to play cards?" Ethan asked. "I know you're up about forty games now..."

"I guess," Saffron said. "I'm surprised he gave us something to do."

*sigh*

"Yeah, he's all heart," Ethan said picking up the deck from the bedside table.

At the Minister's mansion, Harry's birthday had barely been acknowledged, save for Katie wishing her grandpa a happy birthday. No one was in the mood for celebrating.

Hermione had mostly kept to herself since Elinore's funeral. The death of her mother and the disappearance of her children was wearing on her and it was all she could do to function on a daily basis.

Every day, letters of sympathy pored in from all over the world. Julie, Ashley, and Greta were currently reading through some of them.

Harry had spent the majority of the day at headquarters going over leads.

"Nothing," he muttered. "Fucking nothing. Not a word."

"I'm going to bring mum some more tea," Julie said. "She didn't eat anything at dinner."

Harry nodded distractedly as several owls swarmed in with loads of new mail.

"I'll sort them," Ashley said getting to her feet.

"Ashley, you should go upstairs and get to bed," Julie told her daughter. "It's late."

Ashley shook her head. "I want to do it, Mum."

Julie looked like she wanted to protest, but nodded. "Just a little while, sweetheart."

Ashley hurried over to the table where the owls had deposited the letters and cards.

With a sigh, she began to separate them into piles, putting cards in one pile and letters in another.

Ashley hoped to show these to her aunt and uncle when they returned home so they'd see how much people cared about them. A familiar script caught her eye on one of the letters. She would know her Uncle Ethan's handwriting anywhere. It was a family joke with how messy his handwriting actually was. "Grandpa!"

"What is it Ash?" Harry asked, rubbing his eyes.

"I-I think you need to see this letter!" Ashley exclaimed.

"I'll look at them tomorrow," Harry said distractedly.

"No!" Ashley said. "It's from Uncle Ethan!"

"What?" Harry asked as Ashley shoved the letter in front of him.

"It's from Uncle Ethan!" Ashley nearly danced in excitement. "Grandma! Mum! Come look!"

Harry looked down at the letter in his hands. It did look just like his son's handwriting, but Harry wouldn't have put it past Dolohov to send some sort of decoy.

Suddenly a familiar name popped out of the letter. Gordon Devereaux. A rage like Harry had never known filled him inside.

Hermione had heard her granddaughter’s shouts and she'd hurried downstairs to see what had happened.

"Harry?"

Harry was seething, his anger too much to let him speak.

He dropped the letter and walked outside for a moment to collect his thoughts. Ashley picked up the letter and read over it. "Grandma, who is Gordon Devereaux?"

Hermione slapped her hands over her mouth as she let out a cry. "Gordon?"

Ashley nodded and held out the letter.

Hermione took it in her trembling hand, her eyes filling with tears at the sight of her son's familiar scrawl.

Julie had heard all about Gordon Devereaux, of course. But, with all the setbacks and disappointments, she wasn't so ready to believe this was real. "Mum..."

"I need Harry," Hermione whispered. "Now."

Julie nodded and went outside to find her father. He was standing on the patio, a windstorm erupting around him from his anger. "Daddy---"

Harry turned to look at his daughter, his eyes dark and stormy with anger. "How the HELL did that bastard get out?" he asked, clenching the railing.

"I-I don't know," Julie said quietly. "But you need to calm down, Dad. Mum needs you."

The wind instantly stopped and Harry stepped away from the rail.

He was still seething though as he followed his daughter back into the house.

"I would never have allowed him out had I known," Hermione was sobbing.

"Mum," Julie said. "You didn't know!"

"This is my fault," Hermione sat down on a chair.

Julie shook her head. "No, Mum. You had no idea that he was going to do this!"

"I'm going to find him," Harry said darkly. "I'm going to rip him apart."

"Dad," Julie said trying to calm him down. "What if this isn't real? What if this is another one of Dolohov's tricks?"

"I'm going to find out," Harry snatched the letter. "I'll be at Headquarters."

"I'm going to find out," Harry snatched the letter. "I'll be at Headquarters."

Hermione looked at him. "I'm coming with you."

Harry nodded tersely. "Let's go."

They left their oldest daughter behind to explain to the others what was happening. Headquarters was still buzzing with activity despite the late hour. Harry called Lupin, Kingsley, Tonks and Justin into his office.

"Justin, I need you to go to St. Mungos right now and see if there is a Gordon Devereaux in the hospital," Harry barked.

"Who?" Justin asked

"Just go," Harry said. "Gordon Devereaux."

Justin thought he needed more details, but he'd never seen Harry look like this before. "Yes, sir."

Hermione?"

Hermione nodded wordlessly.

"We need a trace put on this letter," Harry told Tonks. "Now."

"I'll get right on it," Tonks took it and hurried off.

Harry pounded his fist angrily on desk. "That son-of-a-bitch! All this time, we've been chasing after Dolohov and it was Devereaux all along!"

"We don't know that yet," Lupin warned. "It could be a trick. Tonks will also check the authenticity of the letter- use some of Ethan's documents."

Neville nodded. "Lupin's right, Harry. We need to check the validity of this. For all we know, this is another trick of Dolohov's."

"I'm going to kill both of them," Harry threatened.

"Harry," Lupin warned. "I know you're upset---"

"Upset?" Harry asked him. "I'm a damn sight more than upset, Remus!"

"He's got our children," Hermione said quietly.

"I know," Neville said squeezing her hand. "And I know you want to see them punished. We will bring them to justice, but Harry has to realise that he has to follow the proper protocol here."

"Fuck protocol," Harry retorted. "I followed protocol last time and we sent him to St. Mungos. That didn't stop him from getting out and starting this all over again, did it?"

"Harry," Neville warned.

Harry didn't say anything. He continued to pace in front of his desk. Right now, he couldn't even think about standing still.

Hermione put her head in her hands. "He thinks Saffy is me, Harry."

"I don't care what he thinks," Harry said furiously.

"The letter said they were okay," Neville tried to reassure Hermione.

Harry appeared not to have heard him as he continued to moodily pace across the room.

Hermione's mind was racing as she thought of her youngest daughter and son being anywhere near Gordon Devereaux. What if Gordon tried to do to Saffron what he very nearly did to her?

"He's got to let my babies go," she whimpered.

The wait for Tonks and Justin to come back from their assignments seemed to take forever.

Tonks came back first carrying the letter. "You want the good news or the bad news first?"

"Tell me everything now," Harry commanded.

"The good news is that the letter is authentic," Tonks replied. "This letter was written by Ethan."

Hermione began to cry in earnest.

"I had another Auror go back to your house to get the owls that dropped off the evening post," Tonks said. "The owl that brought Ethan's letter----it's untraceable."

Harry slammed his fist against the wall.

Kingsley levelled his gaze at Tonks. "You're sure?"

"Positive," Tonks said, without a hint of her usual merriness in her eyes.

Justin hurried into the office, a bit out of breath.

"I don't even know where to begin," Justin said still in disbelief over what he'd found out at St. Mungos.

"What did you find out?" Neville asked.

"They um..." Justin began. "They released him almost a year and a half ago."

"WHAT?" Harry yelled.

Justin cowered a bit under Harry's gaze. Hermione took a bit of a calmer approach. "Will you please tell us everything, Justin?"

"Of course," Justin said looking at his notes. "Devereaux was released a year and a half ago. According to his doctor, he had responded favourably to his treatment. According to him, Devereaux was a model patient."

"What else?" Hermione asked.

"He always um... spoke of what he'd done to you with regret," Justin read. "And said he would like to apologise to you if given the chance."

"Why wasn't she informed when he was released?" Neville asked.

"The healer in charge saw no reason to do that," Justin said. "He said he was reformed, that there was no need to make you worry."

"No need to make me worry?" Hermione asked taken aback. "He nearly killed me!"

"I'm sorry," Justin said quietly.

"It's not your fault," Hermione said patting his arm. "I'm---I'm just amazed that they would let him go."

"Obviously he pulled the wool over everyone's eyes," Neville said.

For the first time since they'd received the letter, Harry comforted his wife.

"Harry," Hermione sobbed into his shoulder.

"Now that we know who's got them, we'll get them back," Harry said. "Hermione, it's going to be okay."

She wanted to believe him more than anything, but Gordon was capable of anything. He'd obviously been planning this for years. He'd known exactly how to play the system to get out.

"He wants me and Julie," she said, her voice shaking.

"I'll be damned if I let him get anyone else," Harry vowed. "We're going to get Ethan and Saffy back and I'm going to make him pay for this."

Hermione nodded wordlessly.

"I'm going to tell the others that we're no longer looking at Dolohov," Neville told them.

Harry nodded. "Thanks."

Hermione took the letter back from Tonks and read over it again. How had they managed to send this?

"At least they're okay," Harry said softly to his wife.

"We teased him about his writing," Hermione said tracing the letters with her fingertip.

Harry rested his hand over hers. "They must have outwitted him somehow to get this letter sent."

"They make a great team," Hermione said softly.

"He's taking care of her," Harry said. "I know it."

"Just like he did when she was a baby," Hermione remembered.

They'd just brought baby Saffron home from the hospital and they'd just put her in her crib.

"DAD!" Ethan hollered from the other room.

"What is it?" Harry came rushing into the room.

Ethan looked at his father. "You said when you got home from the hospital you'd take me flying."

"Ethan," Harry apologised. "This is your baby sister's first day at home."

"So?" Ethan crossed his arms.

"I'll take you out tomorrow," Harry promised. "Come on, don't you want to see your sister?"

"No," Ethan said grumpily.

"Ethan James," Harry said reprovingly. "You were all excited about her."

Ethan shrugged. He had been excited about having a baby sister, but that was until she'd arrived. She was probably going to take up all of his parents' time.

"Come on," Harry coaxed.

"It's not as if she's doing anything, but sleeping and pooping," Ethan said reluctantly following his father into the nursery.

Harry snorted. "Come on, little man. You still do the same thing."

Ethan glared at his father.

Harry grinned at his son. "Come on... you know you're excited about having a baby sister."

"She can't do anything," Ethan grumbled. Harry picked him up and Ethan protested. "Dad, I'm too old to be picked up!"

"You're never too old to be picked up," Hermione said softly, joining them.

"Look at that face," Harry said carrying him over to the crib.

Even Ethan had to smile. "She is kind of cute," he admitted.

"Well, of course," Harry said winking at his wife. "She does look just like your mum."

Hermione grinned. "I think she's anxious to see her big brother."

Ethan looked down at his little sister who was staring up at him with wide eyes.

"Hello sweetheart," Hermione said softly, lifting her up.

"She's really tiny," Ethan commented.

"So were you at one point, little man." Harry said.

"Do you want to hold her?" Hermione asked.

"I can hold her?" Ethan asked in awe.

Harry set his son down. "Sit down in the rocking chair."

"Okay," Ethan said, perching himself on it. "What do I do now?"

"Okay," Hermione said. "You have to make sure you support her head...."

Ethan nodded as Hermione carefully laid Saffron in his arms.

Saffron let out a small cry.

"It's okay," Harry said to Ethan, who looked startled.

"She likes me doesn't she?" Ethan asked uncertainly.

"She loves you," Hermione said with a smile.

"She doesn't know me," Ethan said looking down at the baby.

"But she knows you're her brother," Harry said.

"I'm your big brother," Ethan said to the baby.

Saffron stared up at him and cooed.

Ethan grinned and looked at his mother. "Did you hear that?"

Saffron's hand reached up for Ethan's messy fringe.

"No, Saffy," Ethan said laughing.

"Oooooh," Saffron said, giving him a gummy smile.

"So, does this mean you'll let us keep her?" Harry joked.

"I guess so," Ethan said with a grin.

"Maybe someday, we can take her flying with us," Harry said, earning a look from his wife.

"Yeah!" Ethan said. "I bet she'll love flying just like us, Dad!"

Hermione shook her head. "She's not getting on a broom!"

"You never know," Harry said quickly. "She really might love it."

"Luckily, we won't have to worry about that for quite some time," Hermione said.

"Unless I take her up with me--" Harry began.

"Harry James Potter," Hermione warned.

Harry gave his wife his most innocent look.

Ethan leaned down and whispered in his sister's ear. "You're going to love flying, Saffy."

"Ethan James!" Hermione admonished.

"I said she was going to love 'crying'," Ethan covered hastily.

"Nice try," Harry smirked.

Ethan grinned and was going to say something else to his sister, but when he looked down, she was asleep.

"She's already sleeping!" Ethan said in dismay.

"It's been a big day for her," Hermione said softly.

"Come on," Harry said, carefully taking his newborn daughter. "Let's let her kip."

Ethan stood up and walked over to the crib with his father. Harry kissed her on her forehead and then gently set her back down in the crib.

"She is pretty cute, Dad." Ethan said.

Harry put his arm around his son. "She is."

"You know," Ethan said seriously. "If those monsters come back that used to live under my bed, I'll have to keep an eye on her."

Harry nodded. "That's true."

"I'll need a fort," Ethan said. "And a moat."

"A fort and a moat?" Hermione asked. "Why?"

Ethan turned red. "It'll be like a fortress then."

"A fortress?" Harry said thoughtfully. "So, you would be the brave knight protecting the queen?"

"Something like that," Ethan muttered, wishing he hadn't brought it up.

"Protecting his little sister," Hermione said kissing his cheek. "That's my boy."

Ethan wiped his cheek. "Can I go outside and play?"

"Sure," Hermione replied.

Ethan tore out of the room without a second look.

"He's something else, isn't he?" Hermione asked with a grin.

"You can say that again," Harry gazed down at Saffron.

"Welcome home, baby girl," he whispered.

***

Hermione let out a sob. "He always protected her," she said. "Always..."

"He's doing it now," Harry said holding her tightly.

Hermione looked up at him. "I should go tell Maddie."

Harry nodded. "I should go with you. I don't want you to be alone."

"You should stay here in case anyone hears anything else," Hermione argued.

"I'll come back after I see you safely home," Harry said firmly. "I'm not leaving you alone while that bastard is loose. You read his letter. Two down, two to go. You and Julie."

Hermione's eyes filled with tears. "I can't believe he's doing this to us again."

"It'll be the last time," Harry vowed.

Hermione nodded. "Let's go see Maddie, then."

Harry put his arm around his wife. This was the biggest test they'd ever faced. Despite what Neville, Lupin and anyone else said, Harry knew what he had to do. Gordon Devereaux would pay for what he'd done.

220. Chapter 220!

Authors’ note: This one offers a bit of a break from the Harry/Hermione/Saffy/Ethan drama. You get to see more of Alexa/Gabe/RJ in this one along with Will, Frankie and Hannah and the twins. We hope you enjoy.

Alexa leaned against the counter. She was working the afternoon shift at the bakery. She'd been doing that ever since they'd released her from St. Mungos. There was no real reason to keep her there now that she knew the truth. She just wished she remembered it for herself and not just what people told her.

It was the first week of November and she'd been surprised to learn from her parents that she'd been accepted to university in the States.

She never would have imagined going to school there, but since her parents had already paid her first semester's tuition, she felt bad about asking to defer her admission. It just didn't feel right to start school when things were so jumbled.

"Sweetheart, maybe you should take a break?" Karen O'Leary called out from the back room.

Alexa sighed. "Mum, I'm fine." Her parents were keeping a watchful eye on her now that she was out of the hospital.

"You look sort of pale," Karen observed, coming out to the counter.

"Mum, I'm a red haired English girl," Alexa said. "I'm always pale."

Karen had to smile. "Well you look hungry. I'll fix you a plate."

Alexa opened her mouth to protest, but she knew it would be in vain. Since there were currently no customers, she walked to the back room.

The door opened a few moments later and a very uneasy RJ Weasley was relieved to see Alexa wasn't working.

"You know, Aud," RJ said, still holding the door. "I'm really not that hungry..."

Audrey looked quizzically at him. "A couple of blocks ago you were complaining that you were so hungry you could eat a horse. And you are always raving about the biscuits here."

"Well yeah but--" RJ began when Mrs. O'Leary came to the counter.

"Hello," Karen said smiling warmly at them. "It's nice to see you again, RJ." She hadn't forgiven RJ for what he'd done to Alexa, but she had to admit he'd been a good friend to her since her accident.

"Hi Mrs. O'Leary," RJ answered. "How-- how are you?"

"I'm fine," Karen replied. "Can I get you both something?"

"I'd like a hot chocolate and a banana nut muffin," Audrey replied. "What about you, RJ?"

"Same," RJ said. "How's Lexie?"

"You can ask her yourself," Karen told him. "She's in the back."

RJ was going to tell her not to bother but Audrey was staring at him in such a way, he knew he couldn't do that.

Alexa emerged from the back and smiled when she saw RJ. The smile faded though when she saw he wasn't alone. He'd told her that he was seeing someone, but so far, she hadn't met her.

"Hi," Alexa said quietly.

"Hey Lexie," RJ ran his hand nervously through his hair.

"Mum's getting your muffins," Alexa told him. "I'll---I'll just make your hot chocolate."

"Wait," RJ said. "I um... I really wanted you to... meet Audrey."

"We've met before," Audrey told her. "I'm really glad that you're doing better."

"Thanks," Alexa said. "It's---it's nice to meet you, again." She turned away to make their hot chocolate. Audrey was quite pretty. She could certainly understand what RJ saw in her.

RJ watched his ex girlfriend. He still cared about her, especially so over the past few months and he'd put off this moment so he wouldn't hurt her. But he also wasn't feeling so loyal to Audrey, with keeping her out of the loop.

No one said anything as Alexa prepared their hot chocolate. RJ couldn't remember ever being in a more awkward situation.

"Here we are," Karen said coming out with a fresh plate of muffins.

"Those smell delicious," Audrey said. "Thank you so much."

"You're quite welcome," Karen said.

Alexa handed them both a mug of hot chocolate.

"How much?" RJ asked.

"On the house," Karen said. "It's the least we can do for what you did for Lexie, RJ."

"I couldn't possibly--" RJ shook his head.

"I'm not taking no for an answer," Karen said. "Though, I suppose I could charge you for all those biscuits you nicked a few years back."

RJ turned red. "Lexie told you about that, eh?"

Alexa smiled. "You didn't think I didn't notice, did you? Every single time I turned around, you were reaching into the case...."

Everyone stared at her. "Lexie you remember that?" RJ asked.

Alexa looked at him as comprehension hit her. She nodded and couldn't stop the grin that spread across her face.

RJ hugged her tightly. "This is great, Lex!"

Audrey felt happy for the other girl, but swallowed as RJ spun her around in a circle.

"That was---that was the summer after you graduated," Alexa remembered. "Right?"

"Right," RJ said. "That's exactly it."

Karen wiped at her eyes. "Alexa, that's wonderful!"

Alexa smiled at her mother. "Let's add that to the list of things I'm remembering."

"And for the record, I didn't take that many biscuits," RJ told Mrs. O'Leary.

Audrey smiled. "He probably took more."

Everyone one laughed at this. A few more customers entered the bakery and Alexa and Karen excused themselves to wait on the others.

Audrey led RJ over to a table.

"That's fantastic!" RJ was saying to Audrey. "She remembered!"

Audrey smiled. "I'm glad for her."

"I hope it's the first of many things that she remembers," RJ said.

Audrey reached for his hand. "So what do you want to do later? Go see a film?"

RJ returned his attention to his girlfriend. "What?"

"Later," Audrey repeated, her smile falling. "RJ..."

"Sorry," RJ said. "Um, it doesn't matter to me."

"Of course it doesn’t," Audrey said with a sigh.

RJ looked properly at her. "What's wrong?"

Audrey didn't answer him at first. "I don't know if I want to get into it here."

"You can tell me anything," RJ said. "You know that."

I just don't feel like anything's the same," Audrey said quietly.

RJ reached for her hand. "I know this hasn't been easy on you, Aud."

"Sometimes I feel like we aren't together anymore," Audrey said. "And it's horrible."

RJ looked guiltily down at the table. She was right, of course. "I know you didn't sign up for this."

Audrey shrugged. "I understand why you're helping her, and I love you for it, RJ. I just wish you had a little more time for us."

"Some psycho killed Sean, took Lexie's memories and kidnapped Saffy and Ethan," RJ told her. "I'm sorry that I haven't been able to make time for you, Audrey. But, I'm doing the best I can."

Audrey looked down. "I know you are."

"Can I get you anything else?" Alexa asked apprehensively.

"We're fine," RJ said. "Thanks Lexie."

Alexa could tell from Audrey's expression that they weren't fine. She felt bad because she knew that she was the reason the two of them were having problems. Audrey had that same look on her face that Gabriel had on his every single time he saw Alexa with RJ.

"Well... just let me know." Alexa said, turning to go back behind the counter.

Audrey stood up. "I forgot I promised my parents I'd meet them somewhere."

RJ looked at her. "Audrey--"

"I'll see you later," Audrey hurried out of the bakery.

RJ put his head in his hands.

"I'm sorry," Alexa said quietly. "I feel like this is all my fault."

"It's not, Lexie." RJ told her.

Alexa sat down in Audrey's vacated seat. "I keep letting everyone down. And I just keep wishing Saffy were here so I could talk to her."

"I miss her too," RJ replied. "I can't believe they still haven't found her or Ethan... or have any idea where that madman's keeping them."

Alexa felt tears well up in her eyes. "I just keep thinking what if I never see her again, RJ? She's my best friend---"

RJ moved over and gave her a hug. "She'll be all right," he reassured her. "Saffy's strong, and she's got Ethan with her."

Alexa sobbed into his shoulder. "H-how's Andrew?"

"He's all right," RJ said. "He's worried about Saffy too."

"I know you told me that they broke up, but it's so hard to believe," Alexa said pulling away and wiping at her eyes with a napkin.

"I think he's still in love with her," RJ told her.

"Maybe they'll work it out if---when she gets out," Alexa replied.

"Perhaps," he nodded. "How's Gabriel?"

"He's back at school," Alexa told him. "He---he calls every couple of days to see how I'm doing. I've hurt him so much."

"He's a good bloke," RJ said. "We didn't always get along, but he loves you a lot."

"And Audrey loves you," Alexa said softly.

RJ nodded. "She does..."

"You're the only thing I know," Alexa said looking up to meet his gaze. "The only thing I can trust."

RJ swallowed hard. "That's why I want to help you get all your memories back."

"But its messing things up for you," Alexa protested.

"It'll work out," RJ told her.

Alexa kissed his cheek. "Thank you, RJ."

RJ hugged her again. "Speak of the devil," he nodded towards the door.

Alexa turned and saw Gabriel walking through the door. "He's supposed to be in school."

"Maybe he just really wanted to see you," RJ said standing up. "I should get going. I need to talk to Audrey."

"Thanks again," Alexa said standing up as well. "I'll talk to you later?"

RJ nodded. "Sure."

RJ said a quick goodbye to Gabriel before walking out of the bakery.

Alexa slowly walked over to Gabriel. "You didn't tell me you were coming."

"Thought I'd try and surprise you," Gabriel stuck his hands in his pockets.

Alexa smiled at him. "I know you're busy. Pre-med, right?"

"Right," he said. "My class today got cancelled, so my dad helped me get over here."

"The benefits of magic," Alexa whispered. "Gotta love that."

"Wish I had some in me," Gabriel said sheepishly.

"Would you settle for some fudge instead?" Alexa asked. "We just made some this afternoon."

"Sure," Gabriel smiled at her. "Thanks Lexie." The two of them had grown closer over the last few months, but it wasn't even close to being a relationship.

Alexa smiled and walked back around the counter.

Gabriel watched her wistfully.

"So how are your classes going?" Alexa asked conversationally.

"Good," Gabriel said. "I'm at the head of the class for this semester."

Alexa grinned. "Congratulations!"

"Thanks," Gabriel replied as she got them both some fudge.

"Don't worry," Alexa said. "There are no nuts in these and I know how much you hate those."

His smile spread across his face. "You remembered I don't like nuts! That's great, Lexie!"

Alexa looked up in surprise. "I did?"

"Yeah," Gabriel could hardly contain himself as he hugged her tightly.

"That's the second one today!" Alexa exclaimed happily. She told him about what she'd remembered earlier with RJ. "That's promising, isn't it?"

"It sure is," Gabriel said proudly.

"I'll have to write that down in my journal," Alexa said. "I've been keeping one since I was in the hospital."

"That's a great idea," Gabriel said encouragingly. "I'm proud of you, Lexie."

Alexa blushed. "I'm surprised you don't hate me. I know this hasn't been easy on you."

"I could never hate you," he said softly, still holding her close. "Never."

Alexa pulled away suddenly feeling a little uncomfortable. "I'll just get that fudge."

Gabriel sighed. He'd overstepped his bounds again, obviously. But he couldn't help it- he missed being close to her, he missed their intimacy.

Alexa brought over a plate of chocolate fudge. She smiled shyly at him. "So, how are things?"

"All right," Gabriel said. "I've been keeping myself busy."

"I should say so," Alexa said sitting down with him at a table. "Pre-med. And----your grandparents? How are they?"

"They're good," Gabriel smiled. "You remember them too?"

Alexa shook her head. "I just remember you talking to me about them when I was still in hospital."

"Oh," he deflated a bit. "Of course..."

"I've been working here mostly," Alexa told him. "Beth and Mimi have come by to check on me. Which was really nice of them. They're worried about Saffy, too."

"We all are," Gabriel replied.

"How's your step mum coping?" Alexa asked.

"She's okay," Gabriel replied.

"And your dad?" Alexa asked. "Are you able to spend time with him?"

"Some," Gabriel answered. "He helped me get over here today to see you."

"You know I was thinking about what that must have been like for you," Alexa said. "Not knowing he was your father and then all of a sudden having to get used to a new person, a new life. It's---kind of what I've been going through. I just feel lost most of the time. Everyone seems to be two steps ahead."

Gabriel reached for her hand instinctively. "You don't have to be lost."

Alexa gave his hand a squeeze. "Thank you for saying that. I know this hasn't been easy for you."

"For you either," Gabriel answered. "And I'll always be here for you Lexie. Anytime you need me."

"I don't want you to neglect your studies because of me," Alexa told him.

"I'm not," he assured her.

"Good," Alexa said pushing the plate toward him. "Not eat up."

"As you wish," Gabriel grabbed a big piece of the fudge.

Alexa laughed. "Good?"

"Amazing, as always." Gabriel said.

"I actually made that batch," Alexa said with a grin. "In fact, I'll pack some up for you and you can bring it back with you."

"You're the best," Gabriel told her.

Alexa watched him take another bite. "You'll have to do a lot of exercise to work this off."

"I'll run while I read," Gabriel joked.

Alexa laughed. "I'd like to see that."

"Don't tempt me," he replied, reaching for a thick book in his bag.

"What have you got there?" Alexa asked him curiously.

"I've been reading up on the brain lately," Gabriel said.

Alexa laughed. "Remember when Emma came in while you were reading about the brain? She hated those pictures!"

Gabriel nearly dropped the book. "Lexie? You remember that?"

A smile spread across her face. "It's coming back, isn't it?"

He smiled too. "Three memories in one day! This is fantastic, Lex!"

She hugged him again impulsively.

RJ hadn't been able to get in touch with Audrey. She'd turned off her mobile and she wasn't at home. He decided to check back in with Alexa and to his dismay, he saw her hugging Gabriel. He should have been happy to see them getting close again, but he couldn't help the stab of jealousy he felt at that moment.

"You're going to remember everything soon, I know it." Gabriel was saying happily.

Alexa smiled. "Is that your unbiased opinion?"

"You'd better believe it," Gabriel tucked her hair behind her ear.

Karen came back from the kitchen. "Alexa?" She noticed that her daughter had a guest. "Gabriel! What a nice surprise!"

Alexa broke away from Gabriel. "Mum, I remembered two more things!"

Karen clapped her hands together. "That's wonderful!"

"That's great news, isn't it?" Alexa asked giving her mother a hug.

"Very much so," Karen replied. "I'm sure having Gabriel around has something to do with it."

Alexa nodded and turned and smiled at him. "It did."

Gabriel turned red with pleasure.

The bell over the door rang as RJ stepped back into the bakery.

"Hey, what's going on?" he asked.

Alexa hurried over to him. "Gabe and I were talking and I remembered two more things. I remembered how he doesn't like nuts in his fudge and I remembered how we were looking at one of his medical books with Emma at the beach!"

"That's great, Lexie," RJ smiled at her.

Gabriel grinned. "It is, isn't it?"

Alexa nodded. "The only thing that would make it better was if Saffy were here to share this with."

"I--I couldn't get in touch with Audrey," RJ told her. "So, I was going to head over to the Ministry to see if I could help out. I was wondering if you wanted to come?"

"That would be great," Alexa said.

"Don't strain yourself," Karen cautioned. "I don't want you to---"

"It'll be okay," Alexa said. "I want to help as much as I can."

"I know you do," Karen said patting her daughter's arm. "Just take it easy."

"I'll look out for her, Mrs. O'Leary," RJ promised.

Gabriel stuffed his hands in his pockets. "I guess... I'll just head home then."

Alexa walked over to him. "I don't know how to thank you for today."

Gabriel felt better as she hugged him again. "Anytime you need me."

Alexa smiled. "Will you call me again? I'd like that."

"Every day," he promised.

Alexa pecked him on the cheek. "I'll just get that tin of fudge for you."

"Thanks," Gabriel held her hand for an extra moment.

"RJ, I'll be right back," Alexa said before following her mother to the counter.

Gabriel wasn't quite sure what to say to RJ. He sort of wished the other boy hadn't come back.

"You could come with us," RJ offered. "If you want---"

Gabriel shrugged. "I really don't belong there. I'm not magical in any way."

RJ nodded and stuck his hands in his pockets. Saying this was awkward didn't even begin to cover it.

Alexa came back with the tin of fudge. "When will I see you again?" she asked Gabriel.

"I could come back this weekend," Gabriel offered. "I don't want to push you..."

Alexa shook her head. "I'd love it if you came again."

Gabriel grinned. "That'd be great."

"I'll see you then," Alexa hugged him.

Gabriel hugged her back, enjoying the feel of her in his arms again. Today seemed to be a real turning point for them. He would do whatever it took to get them back to where they used to be. He wasn't going to lose her.

*** *** ***

It was nearing December and Frankie was exhausted. Between caring for her children, being there for Maddie and working full-time, she was spreading herself a little too thin.

Hannah was upstairs in her room at the moment playing and Frankie was enjoying some quiet time with Will and the babies.

"That's a girl," Will said as Izzie finished her bottle. "Can you believe in a few months they'll be a year old?"

Frankie looked down at Nathan and smiled. "They're getting so big."

"They sure are," Will grinned.

Nathan held up a chubby little fist at his mother. "What do you want, my love?"

"Ooooooh," Nathan cooed.

"It's nearly bedtime for you," Frankie said leaning down and kissing his forehead.

Will looked thoughtfully at his wife. "I think sometimes I take for granted how lucky we are."

Frankie met his gaze. "I know."

"It's just... we could be in Harry and Hermione's position right now." Will patted Izzie's back.

"Or Maddie's," Frankie said, shaking her head. "Will, she seems so lost."

"I couldn't imagine ever having to go through what she's going through right now," Will said. "You disappearing like Ethan..."

Frankie stood up with Nathan. "We're lucky. So very lucky."

Will nodded. "Let's get these two to bed."

"Right," Frankie whispered as she cradled Nathan to her. He rested his head on her shoulder as she gingerly carried him upstairs.

In her bedroom, Hannah heard their footsteps in the hall and was going to give her brother and sister a kiss good night. But, what she heard, stopped her in her tracks.

"I just think we need to be more careful," Will was saying softly. "I know that we aren't necessarily targets, but us knowing them could put us in the spotlight."

"You're right," Frankie said. "But Maddie needs me, Will. I need to be there for her."

"Of course," Will assured her.

Frankie followed her husband into the nursery. She set Nathan down in his crib.

"Good night my love," she said softly, running her hand over his velvety hair.

She and Will switched off and she leaned over and placed a kiss on Isabelle's cheek. "Sweet dreams, Isabelle."

Hannah waited in the hall for her parents to come out of the babies' room.

"I just hope they find Ethan in time," Will was saying. "He wouldn't want to miss out on one moment of this."

"No he wouldn't," Frankie said. "And I know he would want to be there for the birth. He wants a child as much as Maddie."

"I can't imagine what she's going through," Will said. "If I lost you---"

Hannah bit her lower lip. "Is something going to happen to Mummy?" she asked a small voice.

Since Frankie and Will were still in the nursery, they couldn't hear their oldest daughter.

"I'm scared," Frankie said. "I really am, Will."

"I'd never let anything happen to you," Will wrapped her in his arms.

"Mummy?" Hannah asked from the doorway.

Frankie spun around. "Hi baby."

"It's your bedtime, too," Will told her.

Hannah shook her head. "I want to sleep with you."

"And why is that, miss?" Will asked, scooping her up in his arms.

Hannah buried her face in his shoulder.

"What's wrong, baby?" Will asked patting her back soothingly.

"Come on," Frankie whispered. "Let's not wake up the twins."

They walked out of the nursery and Will carried Hannah into their bedroom. "What's going on, Hannah?"

"I don't want you or Mummy to go away," Hannah said with tears in her eyes.

"We're not going anywhere, sweetheart," Frankie said softly.

"But you said you might," Hannah wiped her eyes.

Comprehension dawned on Frankie. Hannah must have heard what they were saying in the nursery.

"Sweetheart, you know how we told you Ethan had gone away with Saffron?" Frankie asked.

Hannah nodded.

"Well, we weren't telling you the whole story," Frankie said brushing a strand of hair behind her daughter's ear. "A really bad man took them."

"A bad man?" Hannah whispered. "Like my real daddy?"

Will nodded. "But Ethan and Saffy's mummy and daddy are doing everything they can to find them and bring them home safely."

"I'm scared," Hannah said, hiding her face.

"Shhhhhhh," Will said pulling her into his lap. "Nothing is going to happen to you, Hannah Emily. I promise you that. And nothing is going to happen to your mother and me."

"Promise?" Hannah asked.

"Promise," Will said hugging her tightly.

"I'll get Mister Bear and your blanket," Frankie said. "You can sleep with us tonight, baby."

Hannah nodded. "I want to go with you."

"Come on then," Will said standing up with her in his arms.

Hannah didn't let go of her father as he carried her to her bedroom.

"You're safe," Will reassured her.

Hannah nodded.

"All right," Frankie said. "Blanket and Mr. Bear."

Hannah offered a slight smile. "Thanks, Mummy."

"You got it, baby." Frankie smiled at her.

Hannah held out her arms and Frankie took her from Will. "Let's get you in your pj's."

"Okay," Hannah said. "I want to wear the purple ones."

Frankie smiled. "You always want to wear the purple ones."

"It's still my most favourite colour," Hannah told her.

"I'll get them," Will said heading over to the dresser.

"Thanks Daddy," Hannah replied.

Hannah hugged her mother tightly. "I love you more than anything, Mummy."

"I love you too, baby." Frankie held her close. "You are my best girl."

It wasn't long before the three of them found themselves in Frankie and Will's bedroom. Hannah pulled the covers tightly around her.

"Good night sweetheart," Will kissed his daughter's forehead. "You sleep tight."

"Good night," Hannah whispered.

Frankie came out from the loo to see Hannah already asleep. "I cant' believe she overheard us," she whispered to her husband.

"I know," Will said in a hushed tone. "But at least she knows the truth now. And she knows that we would do anything to protect her."

"Anything," Frankie nodded.

Frankie pulled back the covers and slid into bed beside her daughter.

She looked at the peacefully sleeping Hannah for a long moment. "You know, she hasn't had any of those nightmares in a long time now."

Will made sure the baby monitor was on before he too slid underneath the covers. "No, she hasn't. She's adjusted really well."

"Especially to Izzie and Nathan," Frankie replied.

"They love her," Will said with a grin. "Do you know right after you left for work this morning, I had the babies in their seats on the table. Izzie wouldn't stop crying until Hannah sat in front of her."

Frankie laughed softly. "Really?"

Will nodded. "It was the strangest thing. Izzie was howling up a storm and then Hannah sat down in front of her with a bowl of cereal and Izzie stopped straightaway. She kept her eyes on her big sister the whole time."

"And Nathan is definitely your boy," Frankie added.

"This is all I've ever wanted, Frankie," Will said looking at her. "A family with you."

"Well I didn't at first, but now I can't imagine my life any other way." Frankie said wryly. "I wish it would never change."

"You did take awhile to convince," Will said softly.

"But I was worth it in the end," Frankie grinned at him.

"Absolutely," Will said leaning over and giving her a soft kiss.

"Daddy!" Hannah exclaimed. "You're squooshing me!"

"Hannah!" Will nearly jumped out of his skin.

Frankie giggled. "William...William...William..."

"Sorry," Hannah said sheepishly. "But you sort of scared me, Daddy."

"I'm sorry," Will said putting his arm around her. "I didn't mean to squish or scare you, Hannah."

"It's okay," Hannah gave her father a kiss on the cheek. "You didn't hurt me."

"You were sleeping so peacefully too," Frankie said.

At that moment the monitor crackled to life with Nathan's cry. "I'll take first round tonight." Will pushed back the blanket.

"Deal," Frankie said putting her arm around Hannah who cuddled up with her mother.

"Mummy?" Hannah asked when they were alone. "Can Maddie's baby really hear what I'm thinking?"

"Yes," Frankie replied. "Why?"

"What if I'm thinking of a secret," Hannah said. "And she can hear it?"

"Well, Maddie wouldn't say anything," Frankie told her. "She's trying to block out what she hears."

"I don't have a secret," Hannah said quickly. "But I just wondered if I did, if she would hear it."

"You're entitled to have secrets," Frankie reassured her. "I just want you to know that if you ever want to talk to anyone about those secrets, you can come to me. I'll always listen."

"Thank you Mummy," Hannah said gratefully.

"I love you, baby," Frankie said.

"I love you too," Hannah said. They were quiet for a moment. "Mummy, I really miss Saffy."

"I do too," Frankie said. "She loves you and your brother and sister so much."

Hannah nodded. "I really keep wishing they find her and Ethan."

"Me too," Frankie said. "You know when they do find them, we'll have to have a big party to welcome them home."

Hannah nodded. "And me and Em will do a dance for them."

"You will, will you?" Frankie asked. "Which one?"

"We're trying to come up with our own dance like Katie and Caroline," Hannah blushed. "So far we call it the Em-nah."

Frankie laughed. "I like that. Will you and Em show it to me and Allie sometime?"

Hannah nodded. "Next time she comes over."

Will came back into the room, shaking his head.

"Our son was fussy because we forgot to put on the music mobile," Will told them.

"Like father like son," Frankie quipped.

"Very funny, Mrs. Barron," Will said getting back into bed. "How are things here?"

"Just fine," Frankie said. "Hannah and Em are coming up with a dance to show Ethan and Saffy when they come home."

"They will love that, Hannah," Will said turning out the lamp on the bedside table.

"I hope so," Hannah hugged her teddy bear tightly.

"Sweet dreams," Will said to his wife and daughter.

"Night Daddy," Hannah yawned.

"Night, my girl," Will said putting his arm around her. Frankie did the same.

She smiled at her husband over their daughter's head. "I love you," she mouthed.

"Love you too," Will echoed.

221. Chapter 221

Authors’ note: You guys are still divided over the whole Alexa/RJ/Audrey/Gabe quadrangle. We were too---we’ve decided how that’s going to end, but you won’t find out for awhile. Mwhahahahha....but for now, it’s back to Saffy and Ethan.

Saffron stared dully at the wall as Ethan made a mark on it. "It's got to be at least the end of November now," she said tonelessly. "They're never going to find us. We're like bloody sitting ducks in this stupid room."

"At least Jules hasn't joined us," Ethan said looking for the one bright spot. He couldn't have agreed with his sister more. They sat in this room day after day and just waited.

Saffron closed her eyes so she wouldn't start crying yet again. Each day she or Ethan made a notch in the wall, and each day it was the same thing. Gordon brought them food twice a day, and sometimes threw a pail of water in there so they could wash themselves as best they could.

"You---you don't think we'll be here for Christmas, do you?" Saffron asked.

"I don't know," Ethan said honestly.

"Christmas with Gordo," Saffron said sullenly.

Ethan pushed his hair out of his eyes. "Let's just try and stay positive, Saf." he said. "I know it's hard, but we have to try."

Saffron nodded. She knew her brother was right, but that was easier said than done. They'd sent that letter over two months ago and nothing had happened.

"Something has to happen soon," Ethan said, moving back to sit by her.

"At least Devereaux hasn't asked me to go eat dinner with him again," Saffron said resting her head on her brother's shoulder.

"I'm not about to let you out of my sight," Ethan said darkly. "Not with that psychopath."

"Thanks," Saffron said. "I don't know what I'd do without you, Ethan."

"I know, brat." Ethan said affectionately.

"I just hope Julie is safe," Saffron said. "I wonder if she went back to Hogwarts..."

"I'm sure she did," Ethan said. "And she's probably safer there than she is at home."

"Right," Saffron said. "I don't want her or Mum here, Ethan. We have to stop him before that happens."

"I've been racking my brain trying to think of ways out of here," Ethan confessed.

"He's been ahead of us every step of the way," Saffron said glumly.

"I know," Ethan said. "Especially since he can spy on us in here."

Saffron didn't tell her brother what else she was feeling at that moment. Her father was known all over the world for being able to do almost anything he put his mind to. Why hadn't he rescued them yet? What was he doing?

Saffron knew she had no right to feel this way, but the feelings were there just the same. She hated herself for having them.

Ethan patted her arm. "We'll think of something, Saf. We always do."

Hundreds of miles away, Neville was saying the exact same thing to Harry as they set out for another day of canvassing the surrounding areas for any clues.

"We'll think of something," Neville told Harry. "We always do."

"Not this time," Harry hit his fist on the table. "How many months now have we known that bastard Devereaux has my children? And we haven't been able to do a DAMN thing about it!"

Neville knew better than to say anything. It seemed that every thing he said to reassure his friend just set him off further. "I think we should start in Hogsmeade. Justin and Natalie are going to take Diagon Alley again."

"Fine," Harry muttered. "I can check on Jules that way."

"Let's head on out," Neville said, pocketing his wand.

Harry nodded, feeling dejected. This was the first time in his entire career that he hadn't been able to do something. He'd never felt more helpless in his life.

Things at home were tense to say the least. Hermione didn't come right out and say it, but he could tell it in her eyes. She was disappointed in him.

"Harry," Neville said. "Come on..."

Harry nodded and followed his friend out of headquarters.

The two men Apparated to Hogsmeade and Harry pulled up his hood as they walked around.

"Let's check out Hogsmeade Station first," Neville said. "We can work our way around the village."

"Fine," Harry glanced up at the castle where his oldest daughter was most likely teaching a class at that moment. He'd save the visit there for later that afternoon.

They questioned a few people at the station. But, of course, no one knew anything. Or if they did, they were too frightened to tell them.

"This is useless," Harry fumed. "We need to widen our search. Trace that owl again."

"It's untraceable," Neville told him, taking out his notebook to review some of the clues that they had so far.

An older couple was standing at one of the newsstands just across the way. The lead story in the papers was the kidnapping.

"Probably never going to find them if you ask me," the witch said to her companion.

Harry stopped in his tracks as he saw the story splashed across the front page.

He found himself crossing the street unbeknownst to Neville who was busy reading over his notes.

"You'd think the Great Harry Potter would be able to find them," the witch said loftily.

A wind blew Harry's hood off, but neither witch seemed to notice.

"He deserves whatever he gets," the man at the counter told the two witches. "The way he and that wife of his act all high and mighty. They deserve anything that comes their way!"

At that moment every door in the place slammed open and Harry stood there as all the lamps blew out. "I beg your pardon," he said icily.

The man looked up in surprise and the two witches turned around. "What do you want?" the man barked.

"You don't think I could find my own children?" Harry snapped. "You don't think I've been doing anything and everything I could?"

"Must not be good enough if they're still missing," the man said with a grin.

Neville noticed that Harry was no longer beside him and he hurried over to break up whatever was about to happen, but he was too late.

Harry grabbed the man by the throat. "Want me to make sure you go missing?" he threatened.

"Harry!" Neville called out. "Let him go!"

"No," Harry's eyes glowed. "The bastard needs to own up to what he's said."

"Why don't you own up to what you've done?" the man retorted angrily. "You're apparently not the wizard everyone has made you out to be. Can't even find your own children!"

Before Harry realised what he was doing, he had pulled back and smashed his fist into the man's face. He fell against the floor and glasses rained down around him, cutting into his arms.

Neville reached for his friend's arm but Harry shrugged him off.

"Harry!" Neville said. "You've got to stop!"

All the frustration and anger was coming out of Harry as he withdrew his wand and pointed it at the man.

"NO!" Neville shouted. "Harry!"

A crowd had gathered now, but Harry didn't see or care about them.

"Expelliarmus!" Neville shouted.

Harry's wand flew from his hand and he turned on his partner in anger.

Neville ignored him. He looked at one of the witches. "Someone needs to notify St. Mungos."

"I'll do it," one person hurried behind the bar to the back room to use the fireplace.

"He--he tried to kill me!" the injured man wheezed from the floor.

"No he didn't," Neville said.

"I want to press charges against him!" the man exclaimed.

"Come on, it just got blown out of proportion," Neville tried to reason with the man as Harry glared at him.

"You saw him!" the man argued. "And so did all those witnesses! I want him arrested!"

"I'd like to see you try," Harry answered darkly.

Neville grabbed his arm. "You need to get it together, Harry."

"I'll knock his lights out if he says anything else about Ethan and Saffron," Harry yanked away.

Healers from St. Mungos arrived a few moments later and tended to the man.

"Harry," Neville said quietly, shaking his head. "I hate to do this--"

"Hate to do what?" Harry asked impatiently.

"I have to take you in," Neville said reluctantly.

"You're not taking me anywhere," Harry told him.

"Don't make me lead you out in shackles," Neville said.

"You're really going to do this?" Harry asked him. "Neville---"

"You assaulted him," Neville replied sorrowfully. "Harry--"

Harry glared at him. "You do this and you and me are finished."

Neville stared at him wordlessly.

"Do what you have to do," Harry said bitterly.

"Come on," Neville said quietly as he led Harry out of the room.

Harry followed him out under the watchful eyes of the crowd.

"I don't want to have to do this," Neville said as he used his wand to bind Harry's wrists together.

Harry didn't say anything in response.

Neville tossed some Floo Powder into the fireplace. "Let's go."

Harry's face was expressionless as he stepped into the fireplace with Neville.

To say everyone was shocked when Neville led Harry into an interrogation room would be an understatement. Remus Lupin was beside himself trying to figure out what was going on.

"He assaulted a man in Hogsmeade," Neville told Lupin.

"Why?" Lupin asked, looking into the room.

Neville told him everything that had happened.

"I had no choice," Neville said. "He would have killed him if I hadn't stopped him."

Lupin raked his hands through his hair and sighed heavily.

"I didn't want to do this," Neville said. "He's my best mate, Remus."

"I know," Lupin assured him. "And Harry knows too."

"I'm not so sure," Neville said quietly.

"We'll have to get his side of the story," Lupin said. "And the other man's."

"I'll let Hermione know that she might want to come down here," Lupin said.

"Good idea," Neville said wearily.

"Nymphadora will help you taking his statement," Lupin said.

"Thanks," Neville replied, reaching for his wand before Tonks joined him/

Hermione arrived a few minutes later. She was upstairs in her office when Lupin arrived looking quite grim. She didn't know what she expected to hear from him, but it wasn't that her husband had been arrested for assault.

"What?" she gasped. "Surely there must have been some mistake!"

Lupin shook his head. "Neville was the one who brought him in, Hermione."

"Why on earth would he do something like that?" Hermione said, looking in on her husband.

"Frustration," Lupin guessed.

Hermione sighed. "There's still no news, is there?" she asked. Lupin didn't have to ask to what she was referring.

"I'm sorry," Lupin said shaking his head. "But no."

She closed her eyes for a long moment. "I just don't know what else to do, and it kills me."

"Stay strong," Lupin said giving her a hug.

"I'm trying," Hermione said. "I really am. It's just so hard..."

Neville came out looking quite weary.

"He's asking for you," Neville said to Hermione.

Hermione nodded. "Thank you Neville."

She didn't even know what she would say to her husband.

Taking a deep breath, she entered the interrogation room. Harry sat, his wrists still bound, staring at the wall.

"What were you thinking?" Hermione asked him.

"Don't start," Harry warned.

Hermione sat down. "Don't start what? Harry---"

"Those bastards said we'd never find them, okay?" Harry nearly exploded. "What was I supposed to do?"

"Look, I know that you're frustrated, but you need to be out there looking not stuck behind bars," Hermione said angrily. "Your temper has always been one on your weaknesses..."

"And you're one to talk about weaknesses," Harry answered sarcastically.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Hermione asked him.

Harry looked like he was going to argue for a moment but he sighed. "I don't know. I don't know anything anymore."

Hermione reached out and put her hand over his bound hands. "We can't do this."

Harry shook his head.

"I've never felt more disconnected from you," Hermione said quietly.

"It's been hard not to fall apart," Harry said.

"I love you," Hermione said moving her chair over so she could be closer to him. "I know that you're doing everything you can to find them."

"No I'm not," Harry said. "If I was, I'd have found them by now."

Hermione saw tears in her husband's eyes.

"Harry," Hermione said. "If this is anyone's fault, it's mine. I was the one who brought him in to our lives. I was the one who didn't monitor his condition over the years like I should have. It was me who didn't trust you in the beginning when you had your doubts about him."

Harry shook his head. "How were we to know he'd find a way to get himself released? I should have killed him when I had the chance."

Hermione put her arms around him. "We are going to bring them home. They will be here for Christmas."

Harry let out a harsh sob. "I'm sorry, Hermione."

"This isn't your fault," Hermione said holding him tightly. He couldn't hug her back because of his bound hands. "This is Gordon's and we're going to make him pay for what he's done."

"Soon as I find the bastard," Harry said.

"We will find him," Hermione said determinedly.

"I've got to get out of here," Harry said, pulling at his wrists.

"I should go and ask Lupin how much longer you'll be here," Hermione said.

"You might have to bail me out," Harry said sheepishly.

"Whatever it takes to get you out of here, I'll do it," Hermione said pecking him on the cheek before heading out of the room.

Harry watched his wife approach Lupin. He felt bad for the things he'd said to Neville, although he didn't regret what he'd done to the man in Hogsmeade.

"It's not my call, Hermione," Lupin told Hermione regretfully. "He'll have to be arraigned. The judge might not set bail."

Hermione sighed. "I'll have to see if I can pull some strings."

"Of course," Lupin said nodding.

Hermione approached the room. "Lupin says a judge has to set bail before I can get you out," she said. "I'm going to go see what I can do."

Harry had expected as much. "It's not so much fun on this side."

"I'm sure it isn't," Hermione touched his arm. "I'll do what I can to get you home tonight."

There was knock on the doorframe and the couple looked up to see Neville standing there. "I'm sorry. I have to take you to...to your cell now."

Harry sighed and stood up. "Fine..."

"Harry," Neville said. "You know I don't want to do this."

"I know," Harry said.

"You're just doing your job," Hermione reassured Neville.

"This way," Neville took his friend's arm and led him down the corridor.

"I'm sorry for what I said," Harry told him.

"I know," Neville replied. "I don't want to have to do this, but that bloke is insisting. I'm seeing what I can do about getting you arraigned today."

"When I find Devereaux," Harry told him. "I'm going to kill him, Neville."

Neville stopped in his tracks. "Harry---"

"I don't care if you're there or not, but that's what I'm going to do. That bastard has caused enough problems in my life." Harry said bitterly.

"Look, I know that you want to get him back for what he did to you, but you can't just---" Neville tried to reason with him.

"I'm going to kill him," Harry said coldly.

"I didn't hear this," Neville said looking at him. "You didn't have this conversation with me."

Harry nodded. "Fine by me."

Neville unlocked the cell and undid the binds around Harry's wrists.

Harry sat down on the hard cot, rubbing his wrists.

Neville locked the cell. "I'll keep you informed, Harry. I promise."

"Thanks," Harry couldn't look over at him.

Neville left him alone and Harry put his head in his hands. They were wasting valuable time here.

He only hoped Hermione's influence could get him out of here.

Gordon Devereaux cackled gleefully when he heard the news come over the Wireless. The great Harry Potter had been arrested after assaulting some poor bloke in Hogsmeade. Did it get any better than this? With a wave of his wand, he directed the audio from the Wireless be piped into Ethan and Saffy's room.

The siblings turned their heads when they heard the voices. "Dad!" Saffron jumped up and ran over to the desk.

"...witnesses in Hogsmeade said they feared for their own lives," the reporter was saying. "One witch who wished to remain anonymous said she thought he was going to take out the whole village..."

"What?" Ethan sounded disbelieving. "That doesn't sound like Dad!"

"Potter was arrested following the attack," the reporter continued. "Word is that his good friend Neville Longbottom was the arresting Auror."

"Shite," Ethan shook his head as Saffron clenched the edge of the desk with her hands.

"There's no word on how long he'll be in custody," the reporter continued. "This is just the latest setback for the Potter family. The two youngest Potter children were kidnapped earlier this summer. Tragedy also struck when---"

The audio went dead and Saffron banged her fist on the table. "What tragedy?"

"Now, now," Gordon's voice came into the room. "Temper, Hermione."

Saffron rolled her eyes. "What tragedy, you asshole?"

"PERHAPS," Gordon began icily. "If you asked nicely..."

"Please?" Saffron asked angrily.

"You're not being sincere, Hermione." Gordon answered.

"What aren't you telling us about our family?" Ethan asked, trying very hard not to lose his cool. Devereaux was playing with them.

"Be quiet, boy." Gordon ordered.

"Who did my father assault then?" Ethan asked. "Hmm? Or did you make up that too? Just like you made up this image of some happy family with you as the leading man?"

Gordon was silent and Saffron let out an aggravated cry when the wireless disappeared.

"Don't let it get to you," Ethan told her. "He's just making it all up. He's toying with us trying to get us riled up. Let's not give him the satisfaction."

Saffron sighed. "I'll try."

Ethan didn't want to think that something else might have happened to his family. He wanted to think of Maddie, Julie and his mother safe and sound.

"What are we going to do, Ethan?" Saffron slumped against the wall.

"I don't know," Ethan said. But, he did know that if Gordon Devereaux set foot in this room again, he would kill him.

"I just want to see everyone again," Saffron whimpered. "I can't take much more of this place."

She had been here the longest and he could tell day by day that she was getting more and more frustrated and despondent with each passing day. Ethan held open his arms. "Come here."

Saffron let her brother hug her. She buried her face in his shoulder and let out a shaky sigh.

"Don't fall apart on me now," Ethan said. "We are going to get out of here."

"I just keep thinking Dad should have been here by now," Saffron admitted.

"He's looking for us, Saf," Ethan tried to reassure her.

"It's just that sitting in here... with nothing to do, I keep thinking of what happened that day," Saffron wiped her eyes. "I keep seeing Sean step in front of me- and I keep seeing him cast that spell at Lexie. If it weren't for me, they'd both be okay!"

"Saffy, that wasn't your fault," Ethan said. "Sean did what he had to do to protect you. And Lexie---she's your best friend. She knew who you were when she befriended you."

"But if I hadn't gotten back together with Sean, he wouldn't have been there that day!" Saffron said.

"You two were still friends," Ethan pointed out. "Who's to say that he wouldn't have been? Look, Saffy, you can't keep beating yourself up over this. I know this is hard."

"What if it had been Maddie?" Saffron asked. "What would you be doing to yourself?"

"Point made," Ethan said quietly.

"I just wish I could tell him I'm sorry," Saffron pushed her tangled hair out of her eyes.

"You can write it all down," Ethan said.

"What good would that do?" she muttered.

"You could get out all that you're feeling," Ethan said thoughtfully.

Saffron looked over at the dirty parchment strewn over the table. "Maybe you're right."

"Maddie swears by it," Ethan said.

Saffron sat down and reached for the quill.

She thought for a few long moments about what she wanted to write.

Sean, she began. I don't even know how to begin this letter to you. I know in some way, you know how I always felt about you.

You were always there to make me smile and laugh.

I know the second time around it wasn't quite the same, and that was all my fault. I should never had led you on when I was still in love with Andrew. But one thing I was sure of- I did care about you a great deal.

You saved my life and I don't even know how to begin to comprehend that. You didn't deserve to die. If I could have switched places with you, I would have.

I'll always remember you Sean, and I swear when I get out of here I'll come visit your grave as often as I can.

She was in tears by the time she finished, but she didn't want to show Ethan. She knew he had enough to deal with and Merlin knew he'd tried to reassure her.

Ethan put a hand on her shoulder. "Did it help?"

Saffron wiped at her eyes before turning around to look at him. "Yes."

"Good," Ethan smiled at her.

"I didn't know Maddie kept a journal," Saffron said.

Ethan nodded. "She writes in it every day."

"She certainly has a lot to write about now," Saffron mused.

Ethan nodded. "Yeah..."

"You'll see her soon," Saffron told him.

"I miss her so much, Saf." Ethan said.

"I know," Saffron said smiling sympathetically at him.

"We've been having so much trouble before I left," Ethan confessed. "Not between us, but she wants a baby."

"And you?" Saffron asked. "What do you want?"

"I'd love a baby too," Ethan said. "But I've been trying not to bring it up quite so much. It really upsets her."

"Mum and Dad had those problems too," Saffron remembered. "I mean, that's what Julie said."

"That's why I think it's my fault," Ethan turned to look out a crack in the window boards.

"Maybe...maybe when we get out of here, you can go have tests or something," Saffron suggested. "To see...and you could always adopt like Frankie and Will did."

"Maybe," Ethan said.

Gordon watched the two of them from the doorway. They were so much like Hermione like this. Even the boy, though it pained Gordon to admit this. He was the most like Potter.

Saffron gasped when she saw their captor staring in at them. "Ethan!"

"What do you want?" Ethan asked glaring at him.

"Quiet, boy." Gordon said coldly.

Saffron looked over at their captor. "You said that you'd do anything to make our mother happy?"

"Of course I'd do anything for you, Hermione." Gordon said pleasantly. "That's why I'm doing this."

"Then let us go," Saffron said. "Let us go home."

Gordon nodded. "You will go home. When all of us are together again."

"Ugh!" Saffron exclaimed in exasperation.

Ethan glared at the other man. "We're never going to be a family with you."

"I was thinking," Gordon said gazing adoringly at Saffron. "That we could try for one of our own..."

"WHAT?" Saffron shrieked.

"One of our own," Gordon repeated. "A little bit of you and a little bit of me. A baby, Hermione. Just think about it."

"You're SICK!" Saffron shouted at him.

"I love you, too," Gordon said softly. "I'll see you too, later."

"Ethan," Saffron's eyes filled with tears as Gordon shut the door.

"He's out of his mind," Ethan said shaking his head. "Don't worry, Saffy. We're getting out of here."

"What if he tries to touch me?" Saffron asked fearfully. "I can't fight him off."

"It's never going to come to that," Ethan promised her. "I will not let that happen, Saffy. Ever."

Saffron nodded and kicked at the wall for what felt like the billionth time. "GET ME OUT OF HERE!" she shouted.

"Saffy---" Ethan tried to calm her down.

"What if you're asleep?" Saffron asked angrily. "And he tries something then?"

"It's not going to happen," Ethan told her, putting his hands on her shoulders. "Listen to me. He is never going to lay one finger on you. Not while I'm alive."

Saffron's face crumpled and she fell against her brother, crying.

"Where's Dad?" Saffron sobbed into his shoulder. "Where is he, Ethan?"

"I don't know Saf," Ethan said.

"It's been months!" Saffron pulled away to look at her brother. "Months!"

"I know," Ethan said. "I just... I'm sure Dad's doing everything he can."

Saffron angrily wiped at her eyes. She was sick of this room. She was sick of waiting for her father to find her. He wasn't going to come. Devereaux had thought of everything and he wouldn't rest until he had her mother and Julie there, too.

"Don't give up on Dad," Ethan told his sister. "I'm frustrated too."

Saffron didn't say anything.

"Saffy please." Ethan said. "Dad loves us. He'd trade places in a second if he could."

Saffron looked away from her brother. She didn't like feeling this way.

Ethan sighed. "I know he'll come and rescue us."

"I have been here since June!" Saffron told him bitterly. "June, Ethan! I have to deal with that psychopath calling me mum's name and making suggestive comments at me! Forgive me if I don't share your optimism!"

I know," Ethan tried to appease her. "I wish I could get him to leave you alone. And if I could think of any way to get us out of here, I would."

"Just---just leave me alone," Saffron said quietly.

"Saf--" Ethan began.

Saffron kept her back to him as she sat down on the bed, hugging her knees to her.

Ethan ran his hands through his hair as he sat down at the desk.

Saffy was right about one thing, Ethan thought to himself. They couldn't just sit here and wait for their father to come to their rescue. Devereaux had certainly planned this well, but he wasn't perfect. He would slip up eventually. Ethan knew that when he did, they would have to act.

222. Chapter 222

Authors’ note: A special someone makes their debut in this chapter.

Maddie awoke the next morning to the smell of cinnamon. She smiled slightly. Her father had promised to make French toast. He had never broken a promise.

Both her parents had been really great to her in the aftermath of Ethan's kidnapping. She was happy to stay here with them because other than her own home, she felt safe here.

She also could help her mother with the two new foster children who were staying at the house. Eight-year old Brandon and five-year old Justine were siblings who had been in and out of orphanages over the last three years. Maddie's heart went out to them.

She felt movement in her stomach. "Don't worry," she told her baby. "I'm going right down to breakfast."

Maddie grabbed her dressing gown and put on her slippers. She could hear animated sounds coming from the kitchen.

"All right," Ron said. "Brandon, if you want two pieces, you can have them. You just have to sit up properly."

Brandon did as Ron asked. "I--I never had French toast before. Is it different from regular toast?"

"You are in for a real treat," Ron told him. "It's ten times better than regular toast."

"He's right," Maddie said coming into the kitchen. "He makes the best."

"Good morning sweetheart," Ron smiled at her.

"Morning, Daddy," Maddie said softly. She walked over to the icebox and pulled out the pitcher of juice.

"How are you feeling this morning?" Ron asked.

"Okay," Maddie replied. She poured herself a cup of juice and refilled the children's glasses. "Good morning, Brandon. Morning, Justine."

"Hi Maddie," Justine said. Brandon blushed a bright red before echoing the sentiment.

"Where's Mum?" Maddie asked.

"She's owling over some articles for the paper," Ron told her.

Maddie nodded as her father placed a plate in front of her. "Thanks."

"Eat," Ron told her.

"You know she's going to want more when I'm done," Maddie said, picking up her fork.

"You're having a little girl?" Justine asked excitedly.

"I sure am," Maddie forced a smile. "Any day now."

"What are you going to call her?" Justine asked.

"Kiera," Maddie answered.

Justine grinned. "That's really pretty."

"Thank you," Maddie replied. "I think Justine is a pretty name as well."

Justine beamed at her. "Thank you."

"Eat up," Ron said. "I have plenty more where this came from."

"Thanks Mister Ron," Justine said.

Maddie tried to eat her toast, but found herself pushing it around on her plate while her hand rested on her protruding stomach

"What do you think?" Ron asked Brandon who had been quietly eating his food.

"It's good, sir." Brandon answered.

Ron grinned. "I learned from the best. If you think mine's good, you should try my mum's."

Justine's eyes grew large. "Your mummy must be really old because you're old."

Ron felt his jaw drop and Maddie couldn't help but laugh at the look on his face.

"Really, really old," Justine continued. "Super old. Ow!"

Brandon shot his sister a warning look.

"Why'd you kick me?" Justine asked him.

"'cause you're not being nice to Mister Ron," Brandon told her. "You're not supposed to call someone old even if they are."

"Why?" Justine asked.

"Just 'cause," Brandon said with a shrug.

"It's just not polite," Maddie said softly. "But its okay, Justine. My dad knows you didn't mean anything by it."

Justine sighed in relief. "Sorry, Mister Ron."

"Its okay," Ron still felt disgruntled but let it go.

This is the bestest food ever.

"What?" Maddie asked.

"I didn't say anything," Justine said looking up from her plate.

"Sorry," Maddie murmured, realising that Kiera was reading minds again.

"Good morning," Luna said brightly.

"Hi Mum," Maddie looked up.

Luna gave her daughter a hug. "How are you feeling this morning?"

"All right, I suppose," Maddie put a hand on her stomach. "Jumpy..."

"Do you want some breakfast, love?" Ron asked his wife.

"I'd love some," Luna sat next to her daughter.

"Morning, Miss Luna," Justine said shyly.

"Good morning Justine," Luna smiled at her. "Do you like your French toast?"

Justine nodded enthusiastically. "It's the bestest food ever."

"Well there's plenty, so eat up," Ron replied.

"How are things at the Quibbler?" Ron asked his wife, as he set her plate down.

"Busy," Luna said, not wanting to get into the details of what that morning's headline had been in front of the children.

"Do you think we'll be here for Christmas?" Justine asked.

"I'm not sure," Ron said. "But if you are, we promise to make it extra special for both of you."

Justine smiled at him. "Thank you, Mister Ron."

Maddie felt a sudden pinch in her stomach. She closed her eyes and breathed out deeply.

"Are you okay, sweetheart?" Luna asked in concern.

"I think so," Maddie replied. "It just hurt for a moment."

"Maybe you should lie down," Luna suggested.

Maddie nodded. "Perhaps I will."

"I'll take you back upstairs," Luna said offering her hand.

"Thanks," Maddie smiled as reassuringly as she could at the two children. "I'll be all right."

"I hope you feel better," Justine said.

"Thank you," Maddie pushed herself up from the table.

Luna silently led her daughter back upstairs to her bedroom.

"I'm worried about you," Luna said to Maddie.

"I'm okay," Maddie tried to reassure her. "I just---this would be so much easier if Ethan were here with me."

"I know it would be," Luna said reassuringly.

Maddie pulled back the covers and slid back into bed. It wasn't an easy job with her stomach, but her mother helped.

"There you go," Luna said. "Just rest. I'll go get you a glass of water."

"Will you stay with me, Mum?" Maddie asked. "Please?"

"Of course I will, baby." Luna said.

Maddie smiled at her mother. "Thanks."

"Anything for you," Luna smoothed back her hair.

Maddie rested her head on her mother's shoulder. "You always did this when I was sick or felt bad."

Luna smiled. "I did it for all of you."

"It always made me feel better," Maddie remembered.

"Things are going to work out," Luna said. "One way or the other. And you'll always have your family, Madeline."

"I wouldn't have made it without all of you," Maddie said getting teary-eyed just thinking about all that they'd done for her. Jon had brought the kids by with Allie and they'd done everything they could to make her smile. Josh and Lizzy had stopped by with the triplets with all of her favourite foods. Drew and Darla had even taken her shopping for some baby things. It meant more to her than she could even put into words.

"I know this hasn't been an easy pregnancy for you- for anyone," Luna continued. "But I'm so very proud of you for the way you've handled it."

"I'm just---I'm really glad that I had you guys and that I didn't have to go it alone," Maddie said closing her eyes.

"Never, love." Luna kissed her forehead.

Maddie felt herself drifting off to sleep.

"Sleep," Luna whispered. "My sweet girl."

Maddie nodded. "I love you Mum."

"I love you too," Luna said softly.

Maddie fell asleep and Luna was drifting off as well when she looked up to see her husband in the doorway.

"How's she doing?" Ron whispered, so as not to wake her.

"She misses Ethan so much," Luna whispered back. "I don't know what to do to pull her out of this."

"Speaking of that," Ron said. "I was thinking I'd head down to the Ministry to see if they'll let me see Harry."

"I thought he was going to be released on bail," Luna replied.

Ron shook his head. "It just came over the Wireless. Bail was denied."

Luna looked horrified. "What are they going to do?"

"Make an example of him, I reckon," Ron said angrily. "I was going to head down there now. If you want to keep an eye on Justine and Brandon. They're in the sitting room now playing a game."

Luna nodded. "Sounds good."

"I'll give him your love," Ron said.

"Thanks," Luna carefully slipped out of Maddie's embrace.

Ron looked at his wife. "I'm really glad she's stayed here with us."

"Me too," Luna said. "I'd have been much more worried if she was living alone."

"She's strong just like her mum," Ron said fondly.

Luna gave him a kiss. "I love you Ronald."

"I love you too," Ron said softly.

In the Ministry jail, Harry was stewing over the fact that he had been denied bail. A simple assault case and he was denied bail. It didn't make sense .It wasn't as if he'd killed someone.

There was even some talk about transferring him to Azkaban.

Hermione had assured him she would never let that happen.

She was upstairs now trying to find some way to get him out of this. But, given the way things were going for him lately, he wasn't very optimistic.

"Hey," Neville said. "Brought you something to eat."

"I'm not hungry," Harry said quietly.

"You need to eat," Neville said firmly.

"I need to get the hell out of here," Harry grumbled.

"We're working on it," Neville said. "In the meantime I put three extra Aurors out to help find Ethan and Saffron."

"I haven't seen my little girl in six months," Harry said looking at Neville. "Did you realise that? Six months. I've never been away from her that long, Neville. Not from the moment she was born."

"I know," Neville said quietly. "If it were one of mine... I just don't even know what I'd do."

"I've let them both down," Harry said putting his head in his hands. "That----that bastard-----"

"We're going to find him," Neville said determinedly.

Harry was sick of saying that. He wanted to do it. There had been far too much talking and not enough action.

Neville set the tray of food down on the table. "I'll be back to check on you later, mate."

"Yeah," Harry muttered.

Neville looked one last time at his friend before leaving.

Harry shoved the tray aside before pacing across his cell.

"Where is Dad?" he suddenly heard his youngest daughter's voice. "Where is he, Ethan? Where is he when we need him the most?"

"Saffy?" he whispered.

Harry turned around and saw his beautiful 18-year old daughter looking at him with tears shining in her eyes.

"Saffy," Harry said putting his arms around her. "Is it really you?"

"How could you not come find us?" Saffron asked accusingly.

"Baby," Harry said pulling away to look at her. "I---I've looked for you every single day. I didn't eat. I didn't sleep---"

"Come here," another unfamiliar voice said in the distance.

Saffron turned around. "Daddy?"

Harry looked on in horror as she pulled away from him and turned around. "Saffy---"

"Why are you over there now?" Saffron asked. "Daddy--"

"I'm right here," Harry said reaching for her, but she pulled away.

Gordon Devereaux appeared out of the darkness. He held open his arms and Saffron ran into them.

"NO!" Harry shouted. "YOU SON OF A BITCH!"

"That's my girl," Gordon said hugging her tightly.

"Dad!" Ethan called out.

"No," Harry shook his head as Ethan appeared and put his hand on Gordon's shoulder.

"Chip off the old block," Gordon said proudly. "And where is my lovely Julie?"

Harry could hardly stand watching this anymore.

"Dad, we're right here," Julie said. "I was just helping Mum get ready. Just wait until you see her."

"My beautiful Hermione," Gordon said, leering at Harry.

"It's so romantic," Saffron said dreamily. "You're renewing your vows."

"So many years wasted," Gordon said triumphantly.

"Not anymore," Hermione said emerging from the shadows wearing a beautiful white dress.

"Hermione," Harry said weakly. "No... No, no, no!"

"You look lovely," Gordon said offering her his hand.

"And you are so handsome," Hermione said lovingly.

"THEY AREN'T YOUR FAMILY!" Harry yelled. "THEY'RE MINE!"

"Hey, shut the hell up in there," a gruff voice commanded.

Harry awoke with a start.

"What?" he asked, panting. "Where--"

"Potter!" the guard yelled.

Harry didn't answer as he sat up, wiping his sweaty forehead.

That had all been just a dream.

He laid back down with a sigh of relief.

"You've got a visitor," the guard said. "Keep it short."

Harry looked up hopefully.

"Hey," Ron said coming around the corner.

"Ron," Harry got off the bed. "What are you doing here?"

"My best mate gets himself arrested," Ron said dryly. "I think I should show up."

"Thanks," Harry said quietly. "How's Maddie? How's the baby?"

"She's hanging in there," Ron replied.

Harry sighed. "I'm letting everyone down by getting myself thrown in here."

"I would have reacted the same way," Ron told him. "That wanker should have kept his mouth shut."

"And he's reaping the benefits for it," Harry answered bitterly.

"Is there anything I can do?" Ron asked.

Harry shook his head. "Nothing anyone can do." he answered gloomily.

"We have to get you out of here," Ron said.

"The sooner the better," Harry agreed grimly.

Ron hadn't seen his friend look this bad before. There were dark circles under his eyes as if he hadn't slept in weeks. His face was pale and unshaven.

"Come on mate," Ron said. "It's all going to be okay. We have to try and stay optimistic."

"Right," Harry said nodding. "Easier said than done."

"I know," Ron said. "But Hermione will get you out of here."

"She's been amazing," Harry commented.

"You're lucky to have her," Ron told him seriously.

"I know," Harry said quietly. "Ron, if something happens to Ethan or Saffy---"

"We won't let it," Ron replied.

"Weasley!" the guard called out.

Ron rolled his eyes. "Isn't be just a ray of sunshine?"

"Your wife just owled over," the guard said gruffly. "Your daughter's gone into labour."

"WHAT?" Ron shouted.

Harry's eyes grew large. "What? When?"

The guard shrugged. "I don't know. Do I look like a healer? Alls I know is your wife owled over and asked you to meet them at hospital."

"I've got to go, Harry." Ron said a panicked look in his eyes.

"Of--of course," Harry said wishing he could go, too. Ethan's first child was about to be born and Ethan was going to miss it.

Ron took off and made it to the hospital in record time. The receptionist at the front desk shot him a death glare when he made a move for the door.

"Excuse me, sir!" she barked at him. "Where do you think you're going?"

"My daughter is in labour," he retorted.

"Stand behind the red line," the receptionist told him firmly.

"What?" Ron asked in disbelief.

"Look down, sir," the woman said in no-nonsense fashion. "You see that red line on the floor? Stand behind it and I'll be happy to help you."

Ron rolled his eyes but toed the red line and glared at the woman.

"What is the patient's name?" the woman asked.

"Madeline Potter," Ron said sharply.

She looked over her charts. "I'm sorry. I don't see her name."

"She was just brought in!" Ron said impatiently.

"Sir, this is a hospital," the woman reminded him. "I will ask you to keep your voice down."

Ron exhaled sharply. "What. Room. Is. My. Daughter. In?" he asked.

"Ron?"

Ron looked up to see salvation in the form of his daughter in law. "Lizzy."

"Healer Weasley," the receptionist said. "Do you know this man?"

"I do," Lizzy said. "He's my father-in-law."

"Well, why didn't you say so?" the woman asked a fuming Ron.

Ron only glared at her in response.

"Maddie's just this way," Lizzy said. "Come on with me."

Ron shot a triumphant look at the woman just before following Lizzy through the double doors.

"How is she?" Ron asked.

"Nervous," Lizzy replied. "But she'll be okay."

"My baby is having a baby," Ron said with a grin.

"Healer Parkinson is with her now," Lizzy told him.

"Can I see her?" Ron asked.

"Of course," Lizzy said leading him down a corridor. She stopped at a set of doors and knocked.

"Come in," Pansy called out.

Ron poked his head in. "Hi sweetheart."

"Hi, Daddy," Maddie said offering him a slight smile. Luna was sitting by her bed.

"Ronald," Luna said. "I'm so glad you're here. Maddie's water broke right after you left. We came here straightaway. Your mum came by to sit with the children."

Ron nodded. "How are you doing?" he asked, coming closer and taking her hand.

"A little scared," Maddie admitted.

"That's okay," Ron assured her.

"I'm really glad you're here," Maddie said wincing, as another contraction hit her.

"Just squeeze my hand," Ron said. "And I wouldn't be anywhere else."

Maddie looked over at her mother. "I can't believe you went through this four times, Mum."

"It was worth it," Luna smiled at her.

"I have to check on some other patients," Pansy told Maddie. "But I'll be back in a few minutes and we'll give you some potions for the pain, okay?"

"Thank you," Maddie said breathlessly.

Lizzy smiled at her sister-in-law. "I'll owl Josh to let him know how you're doing."

"Where's Frankie?" Maddie asked.

"She should be here any minute," Luna told her.

"Good," Maddie nodded.

"How was Harry?" Luna asked Ron.

Ron shook his head. "Not good. The judge denied bail."

"This isn't fair," Maddie said. "He's just trying to protect his children."

"I know," Ron said.

"Nothing about this is fair," Luna said softly. "But, when Ethan comes home, you'll be able to present him with a wonderful welcome home present."

Maddie's eyes filled with tears. "His daughter."

"That's right," Luna said squeezing her daughter's hand.

The door flew open at that moment and Frankie came rushing in. "Maddie!"

"Frankie," Maddie said. "I'm so glad you're here!"

Frankie rushed to the bedside. "Of course I'd be here. Will's in the waiting room with the kids."

"I just wish Ethan was here," Maddie sobbed.

"We know," Frankie said.

The door opened again and in came Drew and Darla.

"How does she do it?" Drew asked. "Look so pretty while in labour?"

"Stop," Maddie said, wiping her eyes.

"Stop what?" Darla asked grinning at her. "You are gorgeous and glowing, Madeline Molly."

"Hardly glowing," Maddie said, happy to see her sisters.

"Hiya, Grandpa," Darla said giving her father a hug.

"Again," Ron smiled.

Maddie groaned as another contraction hit. "Ohhhhhhhhhhhh!"

"Just breathe," Frankie coached. "Breathe... it really helps."

Maddie nodded and breathed through the pain.

Thankfully, Pansy chose that moment to return. "I think it's time for the potions now."

"Thank you," Maddie said, her head falling back.

"I'm afraid we're going to have to limit visitors from here on out," Pansy said.

Drew and Darla knew that Maddie wanted their parents and Frankie with her.

"We'll go," Drew said giving her baby sister a hug. "We'll be just outside. We love you, Mads."

"I love you too," Maddie said. "I'm glad you both are here."

"We can't wait to meet our niece," Darla said.

Maddie nodded. "I'll have them bring her out."

"I'll walk you out," Ron said to his older daughters.

"Chloe wants to see you," Drew told her father as they headed for Maddie's private waiting room.

Ron didn't have a chance to respond when they opened the door and the little redhead toddled over to her grandfather. "Gampa!"

"Hey you," Ron picked her up and swung her in the air. "How's my little Chloe?"

"Good," Chloe said giving him a hug. "Missed my Gampa."

"I missed you too," Ron kissed her cheek. "How about we go down and get you a chocolate chip muffin?"

Chloe beamed at him. "Really?"

"Right now," Ron smiled at her.

"That sounds good," Drew said. "In fact, I think I'll come with."

"Mummy eat too," Chloe said.

"Darla, do you want to come?" Ron asked.

"Sure," Darla answered.

"This is so surreal, isn't it?" Drew asked. "Our baby sister is about to give birth. I still remember her pretending Dolly was her baby."

Darla smiled. "And Ethan running as fast as he could in the other direction..."

Drew laughed. "They were always so cute together."

"I want Sassy," Chloe announced to her mother.

"I know, sweetheart," Drew said softly. "We all want her and your Uncle Ethan home."

"Now," Chloe said.

"She'd be here now if she could," Ron tried to reassure his granddaughter. "She loves you and Emma and Caroline and Adam and Casey, Noah, and Aidan so much."

Chloe buried her little face in Drew's shoulder.

Drew rubbed her daughter's back. "Everything will be okay, love. I promise."

Upstairs, Maddie had just gone through another contraction. "Why does it still hurt?" she asked, her head falling against the pillow.

"It lessens the pain," Pansy told her. "It doesn't take it away, Madeline."

"It'll be okay," Luna assured her. "It won't be long now, sweetheart."

"And if I can get through it, I know you can," Frankie reassured her. "I hate pain. I have the lowest threshold for pain the known universe. Just keep telling yourself if Frankie can do this, I can do it."

Maddie nodded as Luna wiped her forehead with a white towel.

Pansy smiled at her. "The baby's heartbeat is strong, Madeline."

"That's good," Maddie said, closing her eyes for a moment. "Good..."

"You're fully dilated," Pansy said. "I think it's time we begin."

Maddie swallowed nervously. "Now?"

Pansy nodded. "Your daughter is ready for her big debut."

"What you've been waiting for," Frankie said, taking her best friend's hand in hers.

"Right," Maddie said, nodding. She couldn't believe this was actually happening. The thing that she'd wanted most in this world was about to happen.

"All right Maddie," Pansy said. "I need one really good push from you, okay?"

Maddie did as Pansy asked, pushing as hard as she could.

"That's a girl," Pansy said encouragingly. "I need one more."

Maddie squeezed Frankie's hand so hard that her friend winced.

"Ohhhh!" Maddie yelled as she pushed.

"The head is out!" Pansy announced.

Maddie looked at her mother, feeling more exhausted than she'd ever felt in her life. "Mum, I can't do this..."

"Yes you can, love." Luna said. "You can do this."

"Maddie, I really need you to push," Pansy said.

Maddie gathered all her strength and pushed as hard as she possibly could.

The small room was suddenly filled with the sound of a baby's cries.

"Here she is," Pansy said. "Your healthy baby girl!"

"She's okay?" Maddie asked, tears welling up in her eyes.

"She's perfect," Luna said, her eyes also damp. "Oh Maddie..."

"We just need to clean her up a bit," Pansy told Maddie. "And then you can hold her."

"Okay," Maddie said breathlessly, her head falling back.

"I'm so proud of you," Luna said kissing her daughter's cheek.

"Thanks Mum," Maddie whispered as one of the nurses brought the tiny baby over to her. "Ohhhh..." she breathed, taking in the sight of her daughter for the first time.

"Would you look at her?" Frankie said softly. "She's gorgeous..."

"She's amazing," Maddie said, wiping at her eyes with her free hand. "My beautiful little Kiera..."

The baby looked up at her with wide eyes.

"Your---your daddy is going to love you so much," Maddie whispered.

"Look at that," Luna said. "One brown eye, one blue."

Frankie peered over Maddie's shoulder. "She's right."

"I wonder if it has something to do with her abilities," Maddie said, gazing down at the infant.

"You'll have to ask Smythe about that," Luna said thoughtfully.

"I will," Maddie nodded, tracing a finger lightly over her daughter's smooth, soft cheek.

"I should go and tell your father and everyone," Frankie said.

"Thank you," Maddie said gratefully.

"You never told me if you came up with a middle name for her," Luna said once they were alone.

"I haven't," Maddie admitted. "Part of me wants to wait for Ethan..."

"There's no rush," Luna reassured her.

"No," Maddie said softly. "No rush..."

223. Chapter 223


Authors' note: There might have been some confusion in the last chapter since we did a bit of a time jump. Saffy disappeared in June, Ethan disappeared nearly a month later. This time frame is now December. We hope that clears things up. We hope you will enjoy the chapter! Ron appeared in the doorway with Drew, Darla, RJ, Jon and Josh.

Ron appeared in the doorway with Drew, Darla, RJ, Jon and Josh.

Pansy opened her mouth to tell them that they were violating the rules.

"Parkinson, just give us five minutes," Ron said. "We can't help that there's a whole lot of us."

Pansy glared at him. "FIVE minutes."

"She never could resist me," Ron whispered to Josh.

"You have got to be kidding me," Pansy glared at him.

"I always have had quite the way with the ladies," Ron said smugly.

"A way to make them run for the loo," Pansy retorted.

Ron's children laughed at this and Pansy smiled in satisfaction as she left the room.

"That was impressive, Dad," Josh teased.

"Yeah well.... I always did think she liked girls," Ron muttered.

"I take it you lot want to meet your niece," Maddie said smiling at her siblings.

"She's gorgeous, Maddie." Darla said admiringly.

"Of course she is," Jon said grinning at his baby sister. "She's a Weasley."

Maddie looked at her father. "Want to hold her, Daddy?"

Ron stepped forward. "I'd love that."

Maddie smiled as her father took Kiera carefully into his arms.

"Hello, Kiera," Ron whispered looking down at the baby. "I'm your Grandpa."

Kiera stared up at him with her unusual eyes.

"I am going to spoil you completely rotten," Ron said.

"Just like the rest of them," Jon joked.

"I think she likes me," Ron said.

"I'm sure she loves you," Maddie said softly.

"Since he's always had a way with the ladies," RJ said dryly.

"Only the ones who don't like other women," Ron retorted.

"Ronald," Luna chastised. "Pansy is married to Gregory Goyle, remember?"

"Appearances, I'm sure," Ron said, passing his new granddaughter to Josh.

"Your father had a bit of a crush when they were in school together," Luna told the others.

"I did not!" Ron denied.

"How'd you find out, Mum?" Drew asked.

"I overheard him talking about it one night when he got pissed in the kitchens," Luna said. "He confessed all to Dobby."

"Nice," Drew giggled at her father, even drawing a real smile from Maddie.

"That would be against the rules, wouldn't it, Jon?" RJ asked.

Jon nodded. "Yes, it would. Rules that our father assured us that he never, ever broke..."

"Of course I didn't," Ron said. "Your mother must have heard someone else."

"I'd know your voice anywhere, Ronald," Luna said smiling at him.

"Whatever," Ron mumbled, not looking at his wife.

Darla stood beside her sister's bed. "How are you feeling, Mads?"

"Tired," Maddie admitted. "And... I just wish Ethan were here."

"We should let you get some sleep," Darla said squeezing her hand.

"Just a kip," Maddie replied.

A nurse came to take the baby. "I'm sorry, but Mrs. Potter needs her rest. I'll have to ask you to leave."

"We'll be back in a few hours," Luna promised her daughter.

"Thanks, Mum," Maddie said hugging her. "Love you."

"I love you too baby," Luna said.

"We love you, Mad Dog," Jon called out to her.

Maddie kissed her daughter's forehead before resting back against the pillows. She was exhausted but her mind was running crazy.

There was one important thing missing from today---Ethan.

A tear escaped from her eye as she thought about her husband. Each day the ache she felt from his absence grew a little sharper, a little deeper.

They'd never spent this much time apart. She didn't want to do any of this without him.

"Ethan," she whispered. "Please.... please come back to me."

*** *** ***

Her second year at Hogwarts had not been much fun for Ashley Malfoy. She was so worried about her aunt and uncle and the possibility that something might happen to her mother that her marks had suffered. She tried to concentrate on her studies, but she was so worried about her family that she didn't know what to do.

It didn't help that her family's problems were reported in the Daily Prophet for all the world to see. To make matters worse, her grandfather was still in jail for assaulting someone. Thankfully, she'd be going home for Christmas hols in a few days and she'd be able to be around her family.

She walked into the Great Hall for breakfast and noticed that all eyes seemed to be on her. Some looked at her with pity, while others pointed and whispered. The Slytherins were having a field day with the fact that Harry Potter was in jail. Ashley had heard all their snarky comments.

Sighing, Ashley ducked her head so she wouldn't have to meet anyone's eyes and headed for her friends at the Gryffindor table. She didn't know what she would have done without Zander and Brittany by her side.

Brittany quickly put away that day's newspaper.

"Morning, Ash," Brittany said hastily.

"You don't have to hide it from me," Ashley said quietly.

"Hide what?" Brittany asked innocently.

Ashley gave her a look. "The paper, Brit. I know you're reading about it."

"Its complete rubbish," Brittany said loyally.

Ashley shrugged. "But it's true."

Brittany shook her head. "Not hardly. Your grandfather saved our world how many times? And all the Prophet can do is beat him when he's down. It's not right, Ashley."

Ashley only shook her head. "It doesn't matter to them, Brit."

"Did you see Zander?" Brittany asked, changing the subject. "He hasn't come down yet."

Ashley shook her head. "No."

"He was up late last night working on that essay for Professor Snape," Brittany said. "He waited until the last minute."

"I would have helped him," Ashley reached for her goblet of pumpkin juice.

Brittany didn't tell her friend that Zander had nixed that idea right away because he said that Ashley had enough on her mind without helping him with an essay.

"All he has to do is ask," Ashley replied.

"Don't worry about it," Brittany reassured her.

Ashley nodded, resting her head on the table.

Brittany looked sympathetically at her friend. She wished there was something to say to make her feel better.

Both girls were startled when suddenly coins were dropped on the table. Ashley looked up to see two Slytherin second-years grinning at her.

"We heard you needed money to bail your grandfather out of jail," Joanne Riley said haughtily. "The Slytherins have taken up a collection."

Ashley stared wordlessly up at her. "Just go away," she said quietly.

"Come on," Bianca Rutledge said. "We're only helping the cause. Oh, wait! That's right...he was denied bail."

Joanne giggled. "Well, she could keep it for the defence fund."

Brittany stood up and leaned over the table. "Leave Ashley alone or I'll tell everyone that you stuff your bra."

"You wouldn't dare," Joanne's laughter died.

"Try me," Brittany countered. "You must have an entire box of them in there now."

"Bitch," Joanne said angrily.

"Takes one to know one," Brittany retorted.

"Just leave us alone," Ashley said tiredly.

"Fine," Joanne said grabbing hold of Bianca and stalking back to the Slytherin table.

"Slags," Brittany said rolling her eyes.

"Just ignore them," Ashley shrugged. "I've learned to."

Zander came into the Great Hall looking quite tired and dishevelled.

"Nice of you to finally join us, Zander," Brittany remarked.

"Why didn't you tell me you needed help with Snape's essay?" Ashley asked. "I would have been happy to--"

Zander glared at his cousin before answering Ashley.

"I didn't need help," Zander said setting his books down on the table. "Don't worry about it."

"But--" Ashley began.

"It's okay," Zander cut her off. "Really."

Ashley nodded and rested her head on the table again.

"What's this?" Zander prodded the bag.

"Collection from some Slytherin slags," Brittany told him.

Zander shook his head. "I don't want to know."

"No, you don't," Brittany said.

"Are you all right, Ash?" Zander asked in concern. "Do you need to go see Madam Pomfrey? Or want me to get your mum?"

Ashley lifted her head and looked at him. "No, I'm okay. Just knackered."

Zander wished there were something he could do for her.

"Just think," Brittany said. "You'll be home with your family in just a few days."

Ashley nodded. "Hopefully with my grandpa too. And I wish my aunt and uncle would be there."

"And you'll get to see your new cousin," Brittany said. "Kiera, right?"

Ashley nodded. "Aunt Maddie sent me pictures. She's really cute."

Ashley looked over toward the front of the room where the professors sat. She sighed in relief when she saw her mother walk in and sit down.

"Go talk to her," Brittany nudged her.

Ashley nodded. "I'll be right back."

She hurried up to the professor's table. "Hi Mum."

Julie stood up and hugged her daughter. "Hi, sweetheart."

"Anything new?" Ashley asked hopefully.

"I'm afraid not," Julie said.

Ashley sighed. "Mum... I'm still scared something might happen to you too."

Julie hugged her daughter again. "Don't you worry about me. You know how safe Hogwarts is and we're still staying at your grandparents'. Don't you worry about me, sweetheart."

"I'll try," Ashley promised. "I can't wait to come home though, to see Dad and Katie and Sophie."

"Katie has her hands full looking after both Sophie and Puddles," Julie told her.

"I bet she's enjoying it though," Ashley said with a tiny smile.

"Last night, she had a tea party for the two of them with Caroline," Julie said. "You should have seen it."

"I wonder what Aunt Saffy will say about that," Ashley shook her head.

"You should have seen him," Julie told her. "Katie kept trying to put a purple lace hat on him. She wanted me to use magic to keep it up there, but I just couldn't do it to him."

Ashley couldn't help but laugh at that mental image.

"There's that smile I love so much," Julie said.

"Just sort of hiding," Ashley said.

"This hasn't been easy on any of us," Julie said. "But we're going to get through it. Together."

Ashley nodded. "I hope so."

"Good morning, Ashley," Oliver Wood said coming up behind them. "Julie."

"Good morning, Professor Wood," Ashley said politely.

"Good morning," Julie said.

"How are you both doing?" Oliver asked. "Holding it together?"

Julie nodded. "Doing as well as can be expected."

"Again, anything I can do to help, don't hesitate to ask," Oliver said.

Julie smiled at him. "We appreciate everything you've done, Oliver. You've been a great friend to our family."

Oliver nodded. "I'll see you both later. Enjoy your breakfast."

"Thanks, Professor," Ashley said.

"You go eat something," Julie said. "I'll see you in class, sweetheart."

"Okay," Ashley said giving her mother one more hug.

"Everything okay?" Zander asked when she rejoined them. "I saw you laughing up there."

Ashley told them about Katie's tea party with Puddles and Sophie. "It's hard not to laugh about that."

Brittany was giggling. "Your sister is too much!"

"Your sister is Brit all over again," Zander corrected.

"Except I had you to play tea party with," Brittany reminded him.

"Whatever," Zander turned red. "Could you please not broadcast that?"

"You were an unwilling participant," Brittany said.

"I think its sweet you played tea party with her," Ashley said. "I never would with Katie."

Zander turned even redder.

"You're embarrassing him, Ash." Brittany teased.

"Let's talk about something else then, shall we?" Zander asked.

"I've got your Christmas gifts," Ashley nodded. "Did we want to exchange today, or on the train?"

"Today!" Brittany answered without hesitation. "We could do it right after dinner."

"Okay," Ashley agreed. "Sounds good to me."

Brittany clapped her hands together. "I love presents!"

"We know," Zander rolled his eyes. "You should seriously see her Christmas morning, Ash."

"How bad is it?" Ashley asked.

"There have been casualties," Zander replied.

Ashley laughed. "Let me guess. She always has to go first?"

Brittany crossed her arms. "Hello! I'm sitting right here!"

Zander and Ashley laughed.

"Don't worry," Zander told her. "For our own safety, we'll let you open yours first."

"Good," Brittany said smugly.

The three Gryffindors finished their breakfast and headed off to their morning classes. Ashley was glad for the distraction.

"Snape first," Brittany moaned. "Just what I need first thing in the morning."

Ashley didn't say anything. Though the potions master was nice to her, she did see how bad he could be with some of the other students.

"Snape just has this way of looking at you like you're..." Zander started to say, not realizing Snape was right behind them.

"Like a good student," Ashley interjected quickly.

"I trust that you finished your essays," Snape said looking disdainfully at Zander and Brittany.

"Y-yes," Brittany stammered. She didn't scare easily, but Snape was beyond frightening.

"We all did, sir." Ashley told him.

Snape led the way into the classroom and he stood at the doorway. "Turn your essays in before you sit down."

Zander reached into his bag and pulled out the four feet of parchment he'd worked so hard at all last night.

"Here," Zander said handing it over. "I hope it's good, Professor."

Snape glared at him. "Six feet, I hope?"

Zander's jaw dropped. "S-six feet?"

"I specifically asked for six feet." Snape said icily.

"I did eight, professor," Ashley said hoping to take the heat off her friend.

"Thank you," Snape said, taking the paper from her. "You always go above and beyond, Miss Malfoy. Your friends...would be wise to follow your example."

"I thought you said four, sir," Zander said. What he was really thinking was how it was possible to do six feet of parchment on one potion ingredient. It had taken all he could to come up with four feet.

"Well, now perhaps you'll THINK that you're going to fail this assignment, Mr. Murray." Snape swept past him to the front of the classroom.

Zander glumly followed Ashley to their table. He set his books down and put his head in his hands. "I'm doomed. I'll have to repeat second year."

"No you won't," Ashley said reassuringly. "It's one assignment."

Zander looked at her. "Easy for you to say."

Ashley reached for his hand and squeezed it under the table. "I'll help you with the next one and he'll have to give you full marks.

"Ash, you don't have to do that," Zander told her. "You've already got enough to deal with."

"I want to," Ashley replied.

"Are you sure?" Zander asked.

"Positive," Ashley smiled at him and let go of his hand as Snape began the lesson.

Zander knew he should pay attention to what the professor was saying, but he couldn't help stealing a glance in Ashley's direction. He had taken some heat from the other boys in his year about having two girls for friends. He didn't really care what they said. Brit was his cousin and Ash...Ashley was just amazing.

He never once regretted his decision to approach her the year before and introduce himself. Ashley understood him like no one else did.

"Mr. Murray, have you a photographic memory where you don't need to take notes?" Snape barked, breaking him out of his reverie.

Zander jumped. "No, sir." he muttered, his face going red as the Slytherins laughed at him.

"Ignore them," Ashley whispered.

Zander again looked over at her gratefully. It him like a ton of bricks. He did fancy Ashley.

He was surprised he hadn't realised it before this. He thought about her all the time- especially over summer hols when they weren't together.

Ashley caught him looking at her and she smiled. "Okay?"

"Fine," Zander turned a bit red.

"Don't worry," Ashley told him. "This potion shouldn't be that hard to make. I'll help you with it."

"Don't know what we'd do without you," Zander tried to joke.

"You'll never have to find out," Ashley said with a grin. She started cutting some tubeworms.

Brittany peered over her shoulder at Zander. "You really okay?"

"No," Zander replied truthfully. "Um---yes. Fine."

Brittany didn't look convinced.

"Zander," Ashley tapped him on the shoulder. "Come on. Snape will be around checking our progress. Cut your worms."

"Right," Zander shook his head.

He picked up the small scalpel and began cutting.

Ashley put her hand over his. "Not so big. You have to cut them really small."

Zander could hardly breathe when she touched him. "Right," he forced a laugh. "As always." He really needed to get a grip.

"You sure are jumpy today," Ashley remarked.

"Snape," he muttered quietly. "Always makes me feel like a fool."

"You're giving him too much power," Ashley whispered. "You're letting him intimidate you."

"Easy to say when he likes you," Zander answered.

"Well, just imagine the look on his face when you ace the midterm," Ashley said nudging him. "Right?"

Zander had to smile at that. "Right."

"He'll be so surprised that his hair will turn white," Ashley said with a laugh.

Brittany let out a giggle at that.

"QUIET!" Snape barked.

Zander quickly put the cut up worms into his cauldron.

"Pour the red liquid in," Ashley whispered. "Very slowly. If you've done it right, the cauldron's ingredients will bubble and then turn blue."

Zander did as she instructed and was pleased when his cauldron's contents began to change hue.

Snape made his way down the aisle and finally made his way over to Ashley and Zander's station. He peered into Ashley's cauldron. "Excellent as always, Miss Malfoy."

"Thank you sir," Ashley replied.

"Let's see what damage you've done, Mr. Murray," Snape said icily. "I hope that---"

Zander folded his arms and looked at the potions master. "Yes, sir?" he asked trying to hide the smile.

Snape's mouth curled nastily. "Very.... good."

"Thank you, sir," Zander said waiting until Snape had moved on before finally grinning.

"See?" Ashley smiled at him.

"Thanks to you!" Zander said impulsively hugging her.

Brittany resisted the urge to roll her eyes at the pair.

Ashley laughed. "I helped. You were the one who did it. I'm proud of you!"

"Thanks," Zander grinned at her.

"You said that already," Ashley reminded him.

"Yeah but it's never enough for how much you always help," Zander replied.

"That's what friends to," Ashley said.

"You're just the best," he told her.

Ashley blushed. "I'd do anything for you, Zander. You and Brit have meant so much to me. You're the first real friends I've ever had."

"And that's why you both bought me great Christmas presents," Brittany answered.

Zander gathered up his books and shook his head. "Brit...You haven't been peeking, have you?"

"Me?" Brittany asked innocently.

"Half the fun is the surprise," Ashley pointed out.

"Sure, sure." Brittany waved her hand.

Zander and Ashley exchanged a look.

"After dinner," Zander said firmly.

"Red is my favourite colour," Brittany told Ashley. "So, I'm sure I will love the gloves."

With that, she strode out of the classroom.

Zander looked at Ashley. "Did you get her gloves?"

Ashley grinned. "No, I made her THINK I got her gloves."

Zander laughed loudly. "You ARE a genius!"

"I caught her looking under my bed the other night," Ashley confided. "I knew what she was looking for. So, I took a pair of my new gloves and put them in a box and marked it with her name."

"That's great," Zander chuckled as they headed for Charms.

"What did you get her?" Ashley asked.

"You'll see," Zander answered.

Ashley linked her arm in his. "I should be thanking you. For the first time, in a long time, I don't feel so---bad. I was beginning to think that nothing was going to work out. Now, I have hope."

Zander smiled. "That's why we're friends. I'll always be here for you Ash."

Ashley felt tears well up in her eyes. "Oh, Zander."

"I didn't mean to make you cry," he said anxiously.

"These are happy tears," Ashley reassured him hastily.

"Good," he said.

The rest of the afternoon passed by in a blur for Ashley.

She kept hoping that her mother would suddenly appear and say that everything was okay, that her aunt and uncle were home safely.

All was not lost though. Her mother did have some good news. Apparently her grandmother had pulled some strings and her grandfather had been released that morning.

"I'm so glad," Ashley gave her mother a hug. "Will you tell Grandpa I love him and I can't wait to see him?"

"I will," Julie promised.

"Thanks Mum," Ashley said.

"Excuse me, Professor Malfoy," Brittany said, grabbing Ashley by the arm. "We're going to open presents now."

Julie grinned. "Oh..."

"I thought we were going to wait until AFTER dinner?" Ashley asked.

"I can't wait!" Brittany exclaimed. "Come on..."

"You mean you can't wait for your new GLOVES?" Ashley teased.

"I have no idea what you're talking about," Brittany said innocently.

"Sure you don't," Ashley shook her head.

"You girls go on," Julie said giving her daughter one last hug. "I'll see you tomorrow morning."

"Bye Mum," Ashley waved over her shoulder as Brittany dragged her off.

"So, I'll open mine first," Brittany said as they walked through the portrait hole.

"We already said you would," Ashley said. "Because you can't wait."

"I just love presents," Brittany said defensively. "Zander said he'd meet us in the common room. Let's go and get our gifts and meet him down here."

"Sounds good," she said as they hurried up to their dormitory.

Ashley quickly gathered her boxes and a few moments later, she and Brittany met Zander in the common room in front of the fireplace.

"Me first!" Brittany said excitedly. "Me first!"

Ashley laughed and handed over her gift to Brittany. She had found some pretty hair ribbons and clips in Aunt Lavender's boutique. She hoped that her friend would like them.

"Oh my gosh!" Brittany said. "These are designer! Ash!"

"You like them?" Ashley asked. "I mean, they aren't gloves..."

"You totally tricked me," Brittany said. "But this is soooooo worth it!"

Ashley gave her a hug. "I'm so glad you love them."

"Okay Zander," Brittany said. "Your turn! What did you get me!"

Zander shrugged. "Nothing."

Brittany's jaw dropped.

"Only joking," Zander said reaching behind his back and pulling out a present. "Here you go, Brit."

"Thank goodness," Brittany tore into it. "I thought I'd have to kill you- Oooooh! Did you pick this out?" she held up a jumper.

"Your mum may have helped," Zander said. "Okay, she told me what you wanted."

Ashley laughed. "Good thinking, Zander."

"I love it," Brittany said hugging it to her. "Now...which one of you wants to go next?"

"Go ahead Ash," Zander said.

Brittany handed Ashley a box. "I hope you like these."

Ashley smiled. "I'm sure I will." She unwrapped the gift and saw her friend had bought her some new paint brushes and paints. "Brit!"

"I wasn't sure what else to get you," Brittany confessed. "And you're always saying you need more of these."

"I do!" Ashley exclaimed. "I saw these in my favourite art shoppe and I was thinking of getting them myself over the holidays."

"Well I'm glad I thought of it then," Brittany was obviously pleased with herself.

Zander hesitantly handed Ashley a small package. "It's---it's not much," he warned her ahead of time.

"I'm sure I'll love whatever it is," Ashley said as Brittany ran over to a group of friends to show off her gifts.

Zander certainly hoped so. He watched as Ashley slowly unwrapped the gift.

"It's a CD," she said, turning it over. "Zander! It's the song you wrote!"

Zander nodded. "I told you it wasn't much. I know you can't listen to it here, but you know once you get home…"

"I'll play it while I work," Ashley said. "Thank you so, so, much Zander. This is the best present."

Zander blushed. "Happy Christmas, Ash."

Ashley impulsively gave him a kiss on the cheek. "I can't wait to listen to it."

Zander sat there dumbfounded while Ashley went off to show Brittany.

"Wow," Brittany said. "I didn't know he was doing THAT. That's so cool!"

"I just wish I could listen to it now," Ashley said. "Zander...you need to open up my present."

"Sure..." Zander said, still in a bit of a daze.

Brittany and Ashley sat back down as they watched him open up his present.

"A broomstick servicing kit," Zander said. "Ashley!"

"Since you love flying so much," Ashley grinned at him.

"And his goal in life is to make the team next year," Brittany said.

"You will," Ashley predicted.

"And your aunt and uncle are going to come home too," Brittany said. "I know it."

"That would be the best," Ashley said softly.

"It will be," Brittany said determinedly.

Zander also opened up his gift from his cousin, which was a pair of professional Quidditch gloves.

"Just like RJ Weasley and Andrew Kirke wear," Brittany told him.

"This is great," Zander said. "Thanks, Brit!"

"Naturally," Brittany said with a grin.

"I can hardly wait to use these when I get home," Ashley said. "BOTH my presents."

"We'll have to come and visit sometime during hols," Zander said.

Ashley nodded. "Anytime."

"Happy Christmas," Brittany said to them.

"You too," Ashley hugged her friend.

Zander was glad to see his best friend smiling again, but he knew that neither he nor Brittany could give Ashley the one thing she wanted more than anything---her aunt and uncle home, safe and sound.

"I'm going to put these in my trunk so nothing happens to them," Ashley said.

"Okay," Brittany said. "And then we can go down to dinner. I'm starving."

"Me too," Zander said, glancing at Ashley.

Ashley offered to take Brittany's things upstairs and Brittany was glad to have a moment alone with her cousin. "Nice present, cousin."

"Thanks," Zander said.

"I think Ashley really loved it," Brittany said.

"I hope so," Zander said. "It took me awhile to write it."

"Ashley's song," Brittany said softly.

"It's called Midnight Forest," Zander said quickly.

"It's called you fancy Ashley," Brittany said. "And I know you, so don't even bother denying it. Anyone can see it. But, don't worry. I won't tell her."

Zander didn't say anything, but looked away towards the fire.

"I promise not to say a word," Brittany told him again.

"Whatever," he muttered.

"Zander," Brittany said. "I wouldn't."

"Good," Zander grabbed his things. "I'll... I'll be right back."

"Hurry though," Brittany called after him.

Zander put his new things on his bed and hurried back down the stairs. Ashley was talking to Brittany near the fireplace.

The light from the fire was doing something to Ashley's hair and Zander felt a strange feeling in his stomach as he looked at her.

He bit his lower lip and stuffed his hands into his pockets. He had to get control of himself, and fast.

*** *** ***

Harry had never been so relieved to be home. His wife had finally managed to get an order releasing him from jail, although he still had to deal with the creep from the pub. For now, though, he was putting all his efforts back into the search for his children.

"Grandpa!" Katie squealed, running toward him.

"Hi, Katie bear," Harry said, hugging her.

"We missed you!" Katie exclaimed. "Soooooo much!"

"I missed you too," Harry kissed her cheek.

Puddles yelped and looked up at Harry with sad eyes.

"Hey there buddy," Harry set Katie down and scratched behind the dog's ears.

"He really misses Aunt Saffy," Katie told him. "He keeps looking at her picture and whimpering."

"I know," Harry said. "I know..."

"Welcome home, Harry," Nick said coming into the room.

"Thanks Nick," Harry said. "Thanks for keeping an eye on things for me."

"Where's Grandma?" Katie asked.

"She'll be back soon," Nick told his daughter.

"Come on, Puddles," Katie said. "You, me, and Sophie have a tea party."

"Poor thing," Nick said as Katie led the dog away.

Harry barely heard a word that Nick said.

"I really need to get to the office," Harry raked his hands through his hair.

"Jules should be coming back from Hogwarts soon," Nick said. "I know she'd love to see you."

"I'll make sure I'm back as soon as possible," Harry said. "But Jules knows that I have to stay on top of this case. I've wasted enough time."

"I'll tell her," Nick said. "We're all really glad that you're out, Harry."

"Thanks," Harry smiled for the first time in a long time. "I'll be back soon."

He made it back to headquarters and was happy to see that it was as busy as ever.

"Harry," Neville said. "Welcome back- you're just in time."

"What's going on?" Harry asked.

"We just got a new note from Gordon," Neville informed him.

Harry looked at his old friend. "Just now?"

"Not even five minutes ago," Neville said. "And I don't think you're going to like what it says."

Harry paled and snatched the note off the table.

"My Dear Minister," Harry read aloud. "I have been planning this for so long. I can hardly believe that all my hard work is about to pay off. I have taken good care of Ethan and Saffron."

"All good things must come to an end, however... and I am about to finish off my 'collection'... with a beautiful brunette named Julie Liliane."

"I have seen her walking on the grounds at Hogwarts," Harry continued, his grip tightening on the letter. "She walks with the new headmaster, talking to him about how much she misses her brother and sister. I had to stop myself from walking up and telling her that she would be reunited with them soon."

Neville was almost as angry as Harry at these words.

"It won't be long now, my love. After Julie, I'll be back for you. We'll have that family we always dreamed of."

"I'm going to kill that son-of-a-bitch," Harry said angrily.

Neville shook his head grimly. "We need to send word to Hogwarts immediately."

"How the hell is he getting close enough to see her?" Harry asked. "Hmmm?"

"I don't know," Neville answered. "But we won't let him touch her."

"Will you have someone send word to my house?" Harry asked. "I need Julie to come here straightaway."

"I'll do it," Natalie Worthington stood up and hurried out of the room.

Neville watched Harry pace.

"I had this nightmare," Harry said. "When I was in jail, he took them from me. They all went to him and they blamed me for not being able to protect them. Neville---"

"We won't let anything happen to Julie," Neville promised. "And if we can get Gordon, we can make him lead us to Ethan and Saffron."

Julie arrived at the Ministry a few minutes later with Nick. "Dad? Has something happened?"

Harry showed Julie the letter. "Have you noticed anyone, anything... out of the ordinary at school?"

Julie felt shaken as she read the letter. Gordon Devereaux had been close enough to watch her. She shook her head. "No, I haven't---"

"He won't get to you," Harry said. "I promise, Jules."

Julie looked at her father. "Dad---maybe...maybe we could use this to our advantage..."

"What do you mean, Jules?" Harry asked.

"What if you could use me as bait?" Julie asked. "You'd be able to catch Gordon and make him tell you where Ethan and Saffy are."

Nick vehemently shook his head. "No way, Julie. I'm not letting you anywhere near that lunatic."

"I agree," Harry said. "He's clever, I have to give him that. He could easily disappear with you."

"This might be our only chance," Julie argued. "Nothing else has worked, Dad."

"No way Jules," Nick argued. "I'm not letting you out of my sight."

"Nick," Julie said. "Listen to me..."

"No, Jules." Nick answered. "I know it's Ethan and Saffy, but I couldn't stand losing you."

"I agree with Nick," Harry said. "I'm not going to put you at risk."

Julie sighed. "We can't just let this opportunity pass!"

"We don't have to," Harry said, looking up. "I'll pose as you, Julie."

"H-how?" Julie asked.

"Polyjuice," Harry replied. "I'll go as you, let him get me alone... and I'll bring back Ethan and Saffron."

"That could work," Neville said nodding.

"It's the only option we have," Harry said.

Little did they know, Ethan had come up with his own plan to get him and Saffron out. Saffron had spent most of the day, lying down and complaining of a stomach ache. She wasn't sick, but they had to convince Gordon somehow.

"You're burning up!" Ethan said loudly.

"Ethan," Saffron said hoarsely.

"It's okay, we just need to get you some medicine," Ethan said.

Gordon had been out most of the day, delivering his letter to Hermione.

"Bastard," Ethan sighed. "Why won't he answer?"

Saffron didn't say anything in response to that for fear that he was listening. They had to make this believable.

"It just hurts so much," she moaned, rubbing her hands over her stomach.

"What's wrong, my love?" Gordon's voice echoed in the room.

"I'm sick," Saffron answered.

"She has a fever and she hasn't eaten anything all day," Ethan called out to him. "I don't know anything about healing spells. I've never seen her like this."

Gordon was silent and Ethan feared he was going to leave them again when the door cracked open.

Gordon looked over at Saffron lying on the bed. "What's wrong, Saffron Grace?"

"My stomach," Saffron averted her eyes from him.

"She's burning up," Ethan said looking at Gordon. He could practically see the wheels turning in the other man's head.

"I just want to see a healer," Saffron murmured.

"I can't do that," Gordon apologised. "I--I might have some potions that---"

"I need to see a healer!" Saffron moaned loudly. "PLEASE!"

Gordon looked at Saffron and then at Ethan, mulling over his choices. "Stand back," Gordon told Ethan.

"No," Ethan replied.

"STAND BACK!" Gordon roared.

Ethan took a miniscule step back. He knew he could most likely make a run for it, but he refused to leave his sister behind.

Gordon waved his hand and the ward protecting the room came down. He held out his wand and pointed it at Ethan. "One move and I'll kill her. You got me?"

Ethan nodded, swallowing hard.

Gordon kept one eye on Ethan as he approached the bed. He gingerly sat down on the bed and put his hand on Saffron's forehead. "You are quite warm."

Saffron nodded without saying anything.

Gordon looked at Ethan once more and then leaned over to get a better look at Saffron.

"Will you lay down with me?" Saffron asked looking at him with pleading eyes. "Daddy?"

Gordon sucked in his breath sharply at her request. Ethan also stared at her in disbelief.

"You called me 'Daddy'," Gordon said softly. "Saffron Grace...."

"Daddy, please help me," Saffron faked a few tears. "It hurts so bad..."

Gordon was taken aback at hearing the words he'd so longed to hear.

Ethan came up slowly behind him.

"Daddy..." Saffron wheedled. "Please--"

"I-I'll help you," Gordon said leaning over her to give her a hug.

Ethan raised his arm to hit the older man on his head.

Gordon gathered up the young girl in his arms.

With a shout, Ethan hit Gordon over the back of the head.

Ethan told himself to act like an Auror and not a big brother. He watched as Gordon fell forward with Saffron. Ethan grabbed for Gordon's wand.

"Ow!" Saffron's breath was knocked out of her as Gordon fell on top of her.

Ethan pointed the wand at Gordon's body and within moments, he'd set a body binding charm on the older man.

"Saf?" Ethan asked, shoving Gordon out of the way. "Saf?"

"I'm... okay..." Saffron wheezed.

Ethan offered her his hand. "Come on. We--we have to get out of here."

Saffron nodded as he helped her up.

He looked at the older man, still lying unconscious on the floor. He had to remember where they were so a team of Aurors could find Gordon and bring him to justice.

"Ethan come ON!" Saffron was already out the door.

Ethan nodded and followed her out. He locked the door behind them, not wanting to take any chances.

"We're out!" Saffron said, tears springing to her eyes.

Ethan hugged her tightly. "It's over, Saffy! We're going home!"

"Let's get out of here," Saffron buried her face in his shoulder for a moment. She couldn't suppress her shudder at the thought of Gordon picking her up.

"Right," Ethan said. "Look...he's probably warded the entire house with anti-apparition spells. We need to get outside and Apparate."

Saffron nodded. "I'll do whatever you want me to do."

Ethan got a good look at the small house where Gordon had been keeping them. He followed Saffron out of the house. It was a simple Muggle-looking neighbourhood where they'd been kept. The fresh, cold air felt good on their faces.

"It's been so long since I've even been outside..." Saffron said.

Ethan took her hand. "We're going to Apparate to the Ministry. Okay?"

Saffron nodded, taking his hand and squeezing it in hers.

Ethan focused all his attention on the task at hand and tried not to think about what they'd just gone through. The important thing was getting them home.

Back at the Ministry, Julie, Nick, Hermione and Harry were going over the details of their plan.

Natalie knocked on the door.

Harry turned around impatiently. "Natalie---I've told you...."

"I'm sorry, sir," Natalie said. "But the front desk just called. There's something downstairs you need to see."

"What is it?" Harry asked.

"They wouldn't say," Natalie said. "Only that it was important."

Harry sighed. "I don't have time for this!"

"They asked for you to come, too, Minister," Natalie said.

"What on earth..." Hermione rose from the table. "Come on Harry."

The four of them travelled down in the lift. Harry was going to kill the security wizards at the front desk if they were wasting his time.

"I just don't know if I can take any more bad news," Hermione said to her husband.

Harry couldn't have agreed more. He stalked toward the front desk. "What the hell is it? I asked that we not be---"

"Daddy?"

-->

224. 224

Authors’ note: Quite a response to the last chapter! And we know it was left with a wicked cliffie—but come on, you have to expect it from us!

"Daddy?"

Harry whirled around, a lump catching in his throat.

Saffron stood up from the bench where she and Ethan had been sitting and ran toward her father. "Daddy!"

"Saffy?" Harry asked, as she threw herself into his arms. "Baby?"

Saffron sobbed as she nearly collapsed in her father's safe embrace.

Ethan ran toward his mother. "Mum!"

"Oh my God," Hermione began to cry as she hugged her son tightly. "How- how did you both-?"

"It's a long story," Ethan said looking over his mother's shoulder at Julie, who was also in tears. "Hey, Jules."

"Ethan," Julie sobbed, throwing her arms around her brother.

Saffron pulled away from her father to hug her mother. Tears were streaming down her face. "Mum...I never thought I'd see you again!"

Hermione was crying too hard to reply as she held all three of her children to her.

Harry watched this all unfolding and wondered if it was all a dream. But, it was real. His youngest daughter and son were here. They were actually here.

"Dad," Ethan said. "Gordon... we tricked him. Got him tied up."

Saffron nodded. "We...we made him think I was sick. So he dropped the wards and he came over and I had to call him 'Daddy' which really did make me sick, but that's besides the point. And then Ethan...Ethan knocked him out. He was fantastic!"

"I should be able to lead you back there," Ethan told his father.

"Be careful," Saffron told them. "He's mad."

"We should get you checked out, baby," Hermione wiped her eyes, barely removing her gaze from her youngest daughter.

Saffron nodded, throwing her arms around her mother again. "I missed you so much, Mum."

"My Saffy," Hermione hugged her so tightly it could have rivalled Molly Weasley’s.

Saffron sobbed into her mother's shoulder. "Mummy."

The last thing Harry wanted to do was leave his family, but he knew they had to get Gordon Devereaux. He wanted desperately to put the other man through the wall for doing this.

"We should go before he has a chance to get out," Ethan said to his father.

"Right," Harry said, putting an arm around his son. "Ethan--"

"Yeah?" Ethan asked.

"I'm proud of you," Harry said, his voice choked. "And you're okay."

Ethan hugged his father. "I had to. For Saffy."

The group of them headed upstairs and Harry quickly had a group assembled to go with to apprehend Gordon.

Ethan gave them the logistics of the location and about how he'd knocked out and bound Gordon.

"Let's go," Harry said. "The sooner we get this... psycho... the better."

"Be careful, Daddy," Saffron said giving him one last hug.

"I love you baby," Harry said. "I'll see you at St. Mungos."

Harry led the team of Aurors and Ethan out of the room. He didn't know how he would react when he set eyes on Gordon Devereaux.

"Dad," Ethan said quietly. "He... he's a sick bloke. But he didn't do anything to us... and I kept him away from Saffy."

"Did he ever try anything with her?" Harry asked, trying to keep his emotions in check.

"Not while I was there," Ethan said. "He made her come eat dinner with him one night- that's when she sent you the owl. Did that ever come?"

Harry nodded. "It did. If you hadn't sent that, we'd have still been looking for Dolohov."

"He's dead," Ethan said quietly.

"Devereaux framed him," Harry guessed.

"And killed him," Ethan said. "He left the body in there with us for awhile."

Harry gaped at him.

Ethan sighed. "I just want to get this over with. I want to see Maddie."

Harry didn't feel it was his place to tell Ethan about baby Kiera. "She's been staying with Ron and Luna since you were taken."

Ethan nodded. "I've missed her Dad. I never want to be separated from her again."

"She's missed you too," Harry said. "We all have. I'm sorry that I let you down, son."

"You didn't, Dad." Ethan said. "I let you down by falling into that trap Gordon set for me."

"After tonight, he's never going to hurt anyone in my family again," Harry vowed.

Ethan felt his stomach turn at the thought of going back in the dingy house where Gordon had kept them for so long.

"Harry," Neville said. "Perhaps---"

"Don't even tell me that you don't want me involved in this," Harry interjected. "Nev--"

"Just promise me you'll keep a straight head in there," Neville told him. "I know what you're thinking right now... but just--"

"I will," Harry promised.

"Let's hurry, please." Ethan urged.

"Right," Neville said. He directed four of the Aurors to go around back and three each to secure the other sides of the house. Neville, Ethan and Harry would be going inside.

Ethan swallowed. "He's in the bedroom... I think up there."

"Are you sure you're up for this?" Harry asked his son.

"I have to be," Ethan said. "Otherwise he'll just be there for the rest of our lives."

Harry patted his son on the back. "Let's do this, then."

"Just watch my back," Ethan said to his father, his pale face tight with anticipation.

Harry looked at Ethan. "I'll always have your back, Ethan James."

"Thanks Dad," Ethan said, clearing his throat.

Neville led the way upstairs. All three Aurors drew their wands.

"He's tied up," Ethan said. "So he shouldn't be able to do anything to us--"

Neville slowly opened the door.

Gordon was furiously working his way through the binds Ethan had cast on him.

"Not so fast, Devereaux," Neville said, training his wand on the man.

Harry clenched his teeth as he looked at the man who had caused his family so much pain.

"Ethan, how could you do this to me?" Gordon asked, struggling with his bindings. "And where is my sweet Saffron? Where's my little girl?"

"She's not yours, Devereaux," Harry snapped. "You sick fuck."

Gordon grinned maniacally at him. "They're all my family. Ethan, Julie, Saffy and my Hermione Jane."

"No we're not," Ethan said as he pointed his wand at him. "No parent would ever use the Crucio on their child."

"You're not going back to St. Mungos," Neville said. "You're going to Azkaban. For the rest of your miserable life."

"Aren't you Potter's little sidekick?" Gordon drawled.

"No," Neville said waving his wand, tightening the binds around Gordon's wrists. "I'm my own man. I have my own family. I have my own children. I don't delude myself into thinking I have something that's not mine."

"I'll kill you both," Gordon snarled. "Hermione is MINE, and I WILL HAVE HER!"

Neville felt Harry tense up beside him. "Ignore him, Harry. Let's just take---"

"Leave us," Harry said his eyes on Gordon.

"Dad--" Ethan began.

"Leave us," Harry repeated firmly.

"Come on," Neville touched Ethan's arm.

Ethan reluctantly left the room with Neville.

"Goodbye, my son," Gordon called after him.

"He's not your son," Harry said coldly.

"He could have been," Gordon glared at him.

"Because my wife is so in love with you?" Harry countered. "Is that what it is?"

"Of course she is," Gordon answered.

Harry knelt down in front of him. "I could kill you now. Do you realise that? I could kill you now for what you've done to me and my family."

"MY FAMILY!" Gordon exclaimed, squirming.

"It is NOT your family!" Harry said, his voice lowering dangerously.

"Saffron Grace," Gordon said softly, as if forgetting Harry was even there. "She called me 'Daddy'. She reminds me so much of her mother, much more than Julie. I would spend hours just watching her in here..."

Harry had to resist kicking Gordon. "You're sick, Devereaux. I don't know how you managed to get out of St. Mungos, but this time you'll never get out. Not from Azkaban."

"You think that Azkaban will keep me from my love?" Gordon asked, laughing.

"I do," Harry replied. "That and I'll personally be making sure you never leave that place. Ever."

"Harry!" Neville called out. "You have to see this!"

Harry glared at Gordon before opening the door. In the next room, Neville and Ethan were looking at the room, which was practically wallpapered with photographs of Hermione.

"What the hell," Harry was speechless.

"Obsession isn't remotely close to what this is," Neville said, shaking his head.

"Let's get out of here," Ethan said. "Please? I can't stand being here."

Harry nodded. "Nor can I."

"I'll bring him in," Neville said.

"I'll go with you," Harry said. "I want to make sure he's locked up."

When they came back into the room, Gordon had somehow managed to get out of his bindings.

"Ethan get behind me," Harry pushed his son back.

With a crazed look in his eyes, Gordon lunged at Harry.

"Fucking bastard," Harry seethed, holding up a hand.

"Dad!" Ethan called out.

Gordon leapt at Harry, but was met with a ward.

Gordon stumbled back, but he laughed. "Fucking coward! Hiding behind a wall. You don't even have the guts to kill me, do you? Go on, Potter. Do it. I know you want to."

"You have no idea how much I want to," Harry said, his eyes almost black with rage.

"I can still see your little girl lying on the bed right over there," Gordon said softly. "Oh, how I loved watching her sleep."

Harry growled and lunged at the other man.

Neville and Ethan went to hold him back, but the ward was still in place and they were left with little to do but watch as Harry shoved Gordon against the wall. Gordon cried out in pain when Harry pinned him to the wall.

"There's nothing more I'd like to do than choke the life out of you," Harry said through clenched teeth. "But I want you to suffer. I want you to suffer for EVERYTHING you have EVER done to my family. You're going to Azkaban, Devereaux. And this time, you'll never get out."

"T-that's what they said about St. Mungos," Gordon gasped for air. "You---you didn't even know I was out!"

"This time we will," Harry squeezed harder.

"Hermione w-will be m-mine," Gordon gasped.

"He's going to kill him," Ethan said quietly.

"Harry don't do it!" Neville called out. "Don't kill him!"

Harry released Gordon who struggled to catch his breath. The entire house began to shake as Harry looked at the man who had caused his family such pain.

"Dad he's not worth it!" Ethan said. "Don't get yourself caught up in trouble over him!"

"Will Hermione be coming?" Gordon asked, shakily getting to his feet. "I want to see her."

Harry ploughed his fist into Gordon's face.

Gordon fell back down to the floor and he inched away from Harry.

"You will NEVER TOUCH HERMIONE!" Harry roared, advancing on him. "YOU WILL NEVER TOUCH MY CHILDREN AGAIN!"

For the first time, Gordon's bravado faltered and he looked terrified.

"Dad don't!" Ethan called again. "Please- he'll go to Azkaban and we can go home to Mum, Jules and Saffy."

Harry bent down and pulled Gordon back to his feet. "You're not worth it, you son-of-a-bitch!"

Ethan shot ropes out of his wand at Gordon, binding him up again.

"No!" Gordon screamed.

"Get him out of here," Neville snapped at the Aurors who joined them in the room.

"With pleasure," Kingsley Shacklebolt said grabbing Gordon by the arm.

"I want to go back," Ethan said as Gordon was led out of the room. "I want to see my wife."

"I want to check on your sister," Harry said. "Come on."

Back at St. Mungos, Saffron was getting a thorough examination from Pansy Parkinson.

"Saffron," Pansy said. "If you'll excuse us, I just want to have a word with your mother..."

"Why?" Saffron asked nervously. "I don't want to be left alone..."

Hermione squeezed her hand. "It's okay, sweetheart. I'm not going anywhere."

"Promise?" Saffron didn't let her mother's hand go.

"Absolutely," Hermione said.

"I suppose I could say this in front of you too, Saffy," Pansy said. "Physically, you are okay. You've lost quite a bit of weight, but that's to be expected, given what you've been through."

"I really didn't eat a lot," Saffron said softly.

"What we need to be concerned with though is your mental well-being," Pansy continued. "You've been through quite a trauma. I think that you should see a therapist."

Saffron shrugged. "I just want to be with my family."

"Well, you certainly have a strong support system," Pansy said. "But you might find adjusting back to your old life hard."

Saffron's eyes filled with tears. "Sean's dead."

"Oh, sweetheart," Hermione said, pulling her daughter into a hug.

"It's all my fault," Saffron sobbed.

"It's not your fault," Hermione said soothingly. "It was--it was Gordon's." She wished she could wave her hand and make her little girl's pain disappear. Hermione thought of her own mother and wondered how she would break that news to Saffron.

"But if he hadn't--" Saffron began.

"Shhh," Hermione said. "Look, your father and I went to Sean's funeral. His parents don't blame you, Saffy. They knew how important you were to their son."

"It's just not fair," Saffron sniffled.

Hermione brushed a strand of hair behind Saffron's ear. "No, it's not."

"I want to go home," Saffron whimpered.

Hermione looked at Pansy. "Can I take her home?"

Pansy nodded. "Just keep me posted, if you don't mind."

"Of course," Hermione said. "Thank you, Pansy."

"Take care of yourself, Saffron." Pansy said. "I can't even begin to tell you how glad I am that you and your brother are okay."

"Thank you, Healer Parkinson," Saffron said managing a slight smile.

"Come on sweetheart," Hermione put her arm around her. "I imagine everyone's chomping at the bit to see you and Ethan."

"I can't wait to see everyone," Saffron said. "Especially Gran."

Hermione's face fell, but she didn't say anything about Elinore just yet. She wanted to tell Ethan and Saffron together about their grandmother.

"Katie's been looking after Puddles for you," Hermione told her. "That dog of yours sure has missed you."

"I missed him too," Saffron smiled thinly. "I thought about you guys all the time."

Saffron and Hermione stopped in the hall when she saw her brother and father.

"Is he--?" Hermione managed to ask.

"In Azkaban," Harry said shortly. "For the rest of his bloody insane life."

Saffron gave her brother a hug. "You okay?"

"Fine, Saffy." Ethan said. "You?"

"Just ready to go home," Saffron said looking up at him.

"I just want to see Maddie," Ethan said.

"Nick went to get her," Hermione answered. "She'll meet us at the house."

Ethan could hardly wait to hold his wife in his arms. It had been so long.

It didn't take long for all of them to arrive at the house, where everyone was gathered.

Puddles ran toward Saffron. "Baby!" Saffron squealed.

"Aunt Saffy!" Katie shrieked. "You're home!"

Maddie stood up, Kiera in her arms as her eyes met Ethan's from across the room.

"Maddie," Ethan breathed, stepping closer. He didn't question the baby. He figured it was one of the children her parents were fostering.

"I can't believe you're home," she said, tears in her eyes. "Ethan..."

"You're a sight for sore eyes," Ethan said touching her cheek.

"Ethan," she said, her voice trembling. "I've missed you so much. And..."

Kiera let out a little cry.

"Ethan," Maddie said. "We... this..." she used her free hand to wipe her eyes.”This is our daughter."

"I missed you too," Ethan said softly. "And I can't---what? What--what did you just say?"

"We have a daughter," Maddie said softly. "The day you... disappeared I um... I found out I was pregnant. She's two weeks old."

Ethan's jaw dropped. This couldn't be possible. He had a daughter?

"Would you like to hold her?" Maddie whispered.

Ethan wordlessly nodded.

"Her name is Kiera," Maddie said softly.

Maddie gingerly handed him the baby who cooed happily up at Ethan.

"Hi," Ethan said hoarsely. "I'm... I'm your father."

"Look at her eyes," Maddie said.

"One brown and one blue," Ethan noticed.

Maddie told him about hearing voices and how that related to Kiera. "Smythe doesn't know if it will last, but..."

"This is just incredible," Ethan couldn't take his eyes off the infant. "She's perfect."

"She is, isn't she?" Maddie said smiling at him. "Oh, Ethan..."

"I'm so sorry," Ethan's voice broke. "I should have been here for this. I should have thought of you instead of rushing into that trap. I should have--"

Maddie shook her head. "You had no idea what was going on, Ethan. You wanted to find your sister and bring her home. I'm so proud of you and what you did."

"Ethan," Saffron breathed, kneeling in front of him. "You're a daddy..."

"This is your aunt Saffy, Kiera," Ethan told the baby. "She's okay for a brat."

Saffron smiled. "I'm going to spoil her rotten."

Maddie gave her sister-in-law a big hug. "I'm so glad you're home!"

"Thanks Maddie," Saffron said. "I really missed you."

"Saffy and I made it through all of this together," Ethan said. He looked down at the baby in his arms. He still couldn't get over the fact that she was his and Maddie's.

Saffron looked around. "Mum?" she asked. "Where's Gran?"

A hush fell over the room.

"Yeah," Ethan said. "Where is she?"

Hermione sat down next to her son. "While you two were um... gone... your Gran had a stroke."

Saffron gasped. "She's okay, though? Can we see her?"

Hermione took her daughter's hand. "She's with your grandfather now, sweetheart. I'm so sorry..."

Saffron shook her head. "No, no...she's not. She can't be..."

"Mum?" Ethan asked.

Hermione brushed away her tears. The pain of losing her mother was still quite raw. "I wish I could tell you both otherwise."

Saffron stood there, trying to take all of this in, but it just didn't make sense. Her grandmother couldn't be gone.

"Sweetheart?" Harry asked, seeing the expression on his daughter's face.

Saffron shook her head. "I didn't get a chance to say goodbye."

"She wrote a letter," Hermione wiped her eyes. "Before she died. I have it upstairs."

Saffron hugged her mother. "No..."

"I'm so sorry baby," Hermione held her tightly.

"I'm...I’m sorry you had to go through all of this alone," Saffron said quietly.

"I wish you didn't have to find out this way," Harry said gently.

"I can't believe she's gone," Ethan said quietly. "Gran's...Gran's always been here."

"She's in a better place," Hermione closed her eyes as Saffron sobbed into her shoulder.

"It was a really nice service," Julie said to Ethan and Saffron.

Ethan nodded. His heart felt heavy at the thought of losing his grandmother and not being able to say goodbye, but his mind was mostly focused on his daughter. He was still in a bit of shock over this news.

"She loved you all so much," Hermione said, keeping her arm around Saffron.

Saffron buried her face in her mother's shoulder, crying too hard to reply.

Harry was ecstatic to have his family reunited like this, but he couldn't stop the anger from boiling up inside him. His son and youngest daughter had missed so much these last few months---because of Gordon Devereaux and his bloody obsession.

"Why don't you two get cleaned up," Hermione suggested gently. "And we'll get you two fed."

"Will you come with me, Mum?" Saffron asked. "I don't want to be alone."

Hermione nodded. "Anything you want, baby."

Harry took his daughter's hand. "Sweetheart, you're safe now. I promise."

Saffron nodded. "He'll be locked up forever, right Daddy?"

"Forever," Harry said, giving her a hug. "I'm so sorry that you went through this, baby."

"I wanted you to find us," Saffron said. "Every day I hoped you would find us."

A lump formed in Harry's throat. "I'm sorry that I let you down."

"He was going to pose as me," Julie said. "Gordon was coming for me and Dad was going to get in there and get you two out."

"We know you did everything you could," Ethan said.

"You know that, right baby?" Harry asked. "I did everything I could. I had nearly every Auror we had looking for you two."

Saffron hesitated a moment before nodding.

"You have to believe that baby," Harry brushed his daughter's unkempt hair out of her eyes.

Saffron looked down at the floor. "I just want to go upstairs and take a bath."

"Mum and Dad wanted to come over if you both are up to it," Maddie said.

"Of course," Ethan replied.

Saffron nodded. "That's fine with me," she said softly.

"Come on, baby," Hermione said. "Let's get you cleaned up."

"My hair is horrible," Saffron said.

"We can fix that," Julie said. "Come along, Miss Potter."

"I should go get cleaned up too," Ethan said. "Come with me?" he looked at his wife.

"Kiera and I both will," Maddie said. "Right, Kiera?"

Kiera let out a soft coo in response.

Ethan laughed. "I'll that as a yes."

Maddie followed him closely to his old bedroom. "I don't want to let you out of my sight anytime soon."

Ethan grinned. "I feel the same way."

Maddie conjured up a pram and Ethan carefully set Kiera inside. "She's amazing, Mads." he said softly. "I just... I can't believe it. After all this time..."

"I know," Maddie said. "I was shocked when I found out. Well, shocked might not be the right word."

"Dumbfounded?" Ethan asked.

Maddie looped her arms around his neck. "That sounds about right."

Ethan rested his forehead on hers. "I've been waiting to hold you."

"I've missed you," Maddie whispered.

"I missed you too," Ethan said as his too long hair fell in his eyes.

Maddie started to cry and Ethan held her tightly.

"I'm so sorry, sweetheart," Ethan said. "I'm so sorry."

"It's not your fault," Maddie said. "Not in the slightest."

"Yes it is," he answered. "You and Kiera. I always have to put you two first from now on."

"She's perfect, isn't she?" Maddie said looking down at their sleeping daughter. "You know that she sleeps like you? She puts her little fist under her chin..."

Ethan smiled. "You've given me the most incredible homecoming gift, Maddie."

"Welcome home," Maddie said giving him a kiss.

Ethan knew he most likely smelled and looked terrible, but he didn't care. It didn't seem that Maddie did either.

"We have a lot of time to make up for," Maddie said when the pulled apart. "You, me, and Kiera. Which reminds me...I didn't give her a middle name yet."

"How come?" he asked softly.

"I wanted to wait for you," Maddie replied.

"We'll think of a really good name," Ethan said. "One that's as beautiful as her first."

Maddie beamed at him. "You really like it?"

"I love it," Ethan answered softly.

"You're actually here," Maddie said looking up at him. "You're actually here and it's not a dream."

Ethan shook his head. "I'm here. I'm here, and we're a family."

"Our family," Maddie said softly.

Ethan swung her around gently. "I really need to take a shower."

"I'll be here," Maddie said.

"I promise not to be long," Ethan kissed her again.

"I'll cut your hair for you when you get out," Maddie said giving his hand a squeeze.

"Definitely needs it," Ethan tugged his inky strands.

Maddie laughed. "Off to the bath with you."

He disappeared into the loo and Maddie sat down next to the pram and gazed in at her sleeping daughter.

"Your daddy's home," Maddie whispered.

Kiera curled her fist under her chin and Maddie smiled. "I knew you two would love each other right away."

In Saffron's room, Julie was brushing through her sister's damp hair. Saffron hadn't said much since she'd gotten out of the shower.

"Molly Weasley will be planning a feast, I'm sure." Julie said. "Put some of your weight back on. And you heard that Puddlemere has kept your spot for you, right? They really want you to play for them."

Saffron nodded. "That's great."

"Greta's downstairs cooking right now," Hermione said. "She can't wait to see you."

Saffron nodded again. "Sure..."

"Do you want me to plait it for you like old times?" Julie asked.

"I don't care," Saffron said dully.

Julie looked at her sister, not sure of what to say. She had no idea what this must have been like for her. Hermione had mentioned what Pansy had said at the hospital. Saffron would probably need to talk to someone about what had happened to her.

"I'm sorry," Saffron looked up at her mother and sister. "I don't mean to be such a downer."

Julie squeezed her sister's shoulder. "It's okay. You've been through so much and then hearing about Gran..."

Saffron's eyes filled with tears again. "Did... did she suffer?"

Julie shook her head. "When it happened, it was quite sudden."

"Was it because of us disappearing?" Saffron asked over the lump in her throat.

"She was in poor health for quite some time," Hermione told her. "She was worried about the two of you, but I don't honestly believe that was what caused her stroke, Saffy."

Saffron nodded and twisted her hands in her lap. "Mum?"

"What, love?" Hermione replied.

"How come Daddy couldn't find us?" Saffron asked softly.

"He searched every single day, Saffy," Hermione said, taking her hand. "He barely slept, hardly ate. He was not going to rest until he brought you home. But, Gordon...Gordon had been plotting this for years. He knew just what to do and where to take you so no one could find you."

"The notes and things he sent- even the letter you sent, were totally untraceable," Julie added. "He really did everything he could. Gordon was just one step ahead."

"If you want to blame someone for this, you can blame me," Hermione said. "I'm the one who brought him into our lives."

"Mum--" Saffron began.

"I'll never forgive myself for that," Hermione continued. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry that you had to go through this, Saffron."

Saffron stood up and threw her arms around her mother.

"I could never blame you, Mum," Saffron said hugging her tightly. "Never."

Hermione held her daughter, not wanting to let her go. "You're okay, baby. You're okay."

"Thinking about you is what got me through this," Saffron said.

Julie hugged her sister too. "We never stopped hoping we'd find you."

"Jules," Saffron said softly. "Ethan and I were so scared that you would be coming through that door. We didn't want him to get you, too."

"That's why Dad was going to pose as me," Julie replied.

"I'm just glad it didn't come to that," Hermione said wiping a tear from Saffron's face. "My babies are home for Christmas. That's all I wanted."

"I just wish we were all here," Saffron's voice was thick.

"Speaking of which," Hermione said. "I really want you to see the letter your Gran wrote."

Saffron nodded. "Will you read it to me?"

"I'll just go and get it now," Hermione said.

"Come on, let me finish your hair," Julie said. "And let's get you into some clean clothes."

Hermione ran into Harry on her way to their bedroom.

"How is she?" Harry asked.

"Okay," Hermione said. "She's very upset about my mother."

"I knew she would be," Harry said. "They were very close."

Hermione hugged him close. "They're safe."

"They are," Harry said. "And Devereaux will never bother us again."

Hermione shook her head. "I wish I could go back and never encourage him at all."

"It's over now," Harry told her.

"I'm not so sure," Hermione said. She told him about what Pansy had said. "There's no way she's going to get through this without having some emotional scars, Harry."

"We'll be there for her," Harry said. "Whatever she wants or needs."

"Absolutely," Hermione agreed.

Saffron and Julie came out of Saffron's bedroom.

"You look beautiful, sweetheart," Harry said smiling at her.

"Mum?" Saffron asked. "Did you have the letter?"

"I'm going to get it right now," Hermione said.

"I can't wait to tell Ashley about this," Julie said to her sister. "She's been so worried. She'll be coming home from Hogwarts in a few days."

"I can't wait to see her," Saffron said softly.

Hermione came back with the letter and read aloud what her mother had written.

"And to my Saffron Grace," Hermione read, trying to stave off her tears. ""You were there for grandfather and me when we needed you the most. I can't tell you what joy it brought to him to have you there when he was recovering from his surgery. You've always been a bright light and just like your mother, you always strive to be the best. I love you, my sweet Saffy. I'll always be with you."

Saffron's entire face crumpled and she turned to her father.

"Saffy?" he asked.

"Daddy, it's not fair," Saffron said, tears streaming down her face as she flung herself into his arms.

"No, it's not," Harry said.

Ethan and Maddie came out into the hallway and saw Saffron crying. Hermione handed Ethan the letter and by the time he was finished, he too was crying.

"We should have had the chance to say goodbye," Saffron sobbed.

"In a way you can," Julie said. "I can take you to the cemetery and you can tell her the things you wanted to say."

"You will?" Saffron asked.

"Of course," Julie replied.

"Thanks Jules," Saffron wiped at her eyes.

"Greta!" Ethan said noticing her for the first time.

Greta wiped at her eyes. "I couldn't wait any longer! You're both home! You're here!"

"Greta!" Saffron hurried towards her.

Greta engulfed her in a big hug. "Oh, my girl! My sweet, sweet girl!"

"I'm so glad you're here," Saffron said.

Ethan gave her a hug. "I thought I smelled something good."

Greta grinned. "I'm making all your favourites!"

"I'm so glad to be home," Saffron said. "I just... at certain times I never thought I was going to leave that room."

"He had the room warded like you wouldn't believe," Ethan told them. "Saffron got out that one time to send the letter."

Saffron shuddered as she remembered that night.

"And he didn't touch you, right?" Harry asked.

Saffron looked down at the floor. "He made me wear dress robes like the ones Mum wore when they were in school together. He wanted to have dinner with me. There...there were all these photographs of Mum on the wall. He kept calling me 'Hermione' and he---he---tried to kiss me and when---when I backed away from him, he shoved me against the wall."

"HE TRIED TO KISS YOU?" Harry roared.

"I slapped him before he could," Saffron remembered.

Harry calmed down at that.

"He used the Crucio on me," Ethan told them.

Harry's mouth tightened into a grim line.

"That's why he's going to Azkaban," Hermione said putting a hand on her husband's arm.

"The Dementors will have a field day with the likes of him," Maddie said.

Harry nodded, still upset that his children had gone through that.

"Come on," Hermione said. "I'm sure Greta's prepared something wonderful for this occasion."

"I have," Greta said excitedly. She put her arm around Saffron. It didn't go unnoticed by her that Saffron had lost quite a bit of weight.

Ethan turned to his wife. "I'll take her downstairs," he said, eager to hold his daughter again.

Ethan took her from Maddie and smiled down at the wide eyed baby in his arms. "Mads? I think I have an idea for her middle name."

"What's that?" Maddie asked softly.

"Kiera Faith Potter," Ethan said.

"Faith," Maddie repeated with a smile. "That's perfect, Ethan."

"She's our miracle," Ethan said leaning down and placing a kiss on her soft forehead. "My Kiera."

"I'm so happy right now," Maddie said to him.

"Me too," Ethan said. "I'm never going away from you for that long again. Not ever."

"I'm not about to let you go," Maddie said.

"I love you, Maddie," Ethan whispered.

"I love you too," she said. "I can't wait for us to go home... all of us."

"Tonight," Ethan promised. "We'll bring our little girl home."

"Are you sure?" Maddie asked. "If you want to stay here tonight, that's fine with me."

"You know, my mum would probably like that," Ethan said thoughtfully. "If we were all here, at least for tonight."

Maddie nodded. "I've been staying with my parents."

"Dad told me," Ethan said as they went downstairs to join the others. "How's Blue?"

"He's fine," Maddie said. "He misses you too."

"How does he like Kiera?" Ethan asked.

"He loves her," Maddie said with a smile. "He'll sit on the edge of her pram and watch her for hours."

"Kiera, do you have Blue wrapped around your little finger?" Ethan asked.

The infant stared right up at him.

Hermione looked over at her son who was completely enthralled over his daughter.

"How do you like being a father," she fell behind to ask.

"I love it so far," Ethan said. "Mum--I'm still trying to wrap my brain around this."

"Being a parent is all about experience," Hermione said. "And you know you can always come to me and your father for anything."

"I appreciate that," Ethan said smiling at her. "You and Dad are the best."

"You three are the best children," Hermione said. "And now we have another grandchild to spoil."

"I bet she's going to inherit her mother's 'look'," Ethan said. "You know the look that no one can say no to."

"I've been teaching her already," Maddie said impishly.

Everyone laughed at that.

"I'm sure she'll be a natural," Ethan said.

"She's the coolest baby," Katie said. "She looks at you like she understands just what you're saying."

"I think she does," Maddie replied. "In a strange way..."

"Aunt Maddie, you're going to have your hands full with her," Katie said with a grin.

Maddie laughed. "I'm sure I will."

"Your uncle said the same thing to me when you were born, Katherine Rose," Nick said to his daughter.

"And I think I was right," Ethan said as they all sat down.

"Jules and I have no idea what we're going to do when she hits her teens," Nick said.

"I'll be the same as I am now," Katie tossed her head.

"Heaven help us," Nick said dryly.

Saffron sat down and Puddles rested his head in her lap.

"Hey, baby," Saffron said scratching behind his ears.

Puddles let out a whimper. "I missed you too, sweetheart."

Greta set out the last platter of food. "Tuck in."

Ethan felt like he hadn't eaten in months. The food Gordon had left for them was often stale and tasteless.

"Rosemary chicken to start," Greta told them. "With roasted potatoes and steamed vegetables."

Saffron felt her mouth water a bit. "I'd like a bit of everything."

"I'll fix you a plate," Greta said.

"Thanks Greta," Saffron said. "You're the best."

Greta beamed at her.

"I'm glad to see you both eating," Hermione said.

"We're just really happy to be eating real food that has a taste to it," Ethan said. "Saf and I would talk about your lasagne and Greta's cooking all the time. Didn't we, Saf?"

"We always daydreamed about food," Saffron nodded.

Saffron took a bite of the chicken and practically swooned. "Mmmm..."

"This is amazing," Ethan agreed.

"I'll make my lasagne for you tomorrow," Hermione promised.

"I'd like to help," Saffron said.

Hermione smiled. "I'd love that, Saffy."

"I know everyone's going to be anxious to see you," Harry said.

"How's Lexie?" Saffron asked.

"She still doesn't remember a lot," Hermione said. "But she's been worried about you."

Saffron felt a pang of guilt when she thought about Alexa.

"Andrew and RJ have been helping out a lot in the search for you both." Harry told them.

"Andrew?" Saffron asked taken aback.

"Been at the Ministry almost all the time," Hermione nodded. "He was a great help in going through the post."

"He was really worried," Maddie told her.

Saffron looked down at her plate, unsure of what to think about this.

"Would you like more pumpkin juice?" Nick asked his sister-in-law.

"Sure," Saffron said. "Thanks."

Nick filled her glass. "Well, now we can decorate this place for Christmas. Right?"

"Once Ash gets home," Katie said. "Aunt Saffy, we'll all do it together!"

"I'd like that," Saffron said. There was a commotion from the sitting room and a few moments later, Ron and Luna came into the room. Ron grinned when he saw the food. "Looks like we got here just in time!"

Luna rushed forward to her son in law and Saffron. "I can't tell you how happy I am to see you both."

"It's good to see you too, Aunt Luna," Saffron said hugging her.

"Molly wants you both over soon," Luna told her. "Fatten you two back up."

Ethan laughed. "If we keep getting fed like this, it won't take long."

"RJ was over when we heard the news," Ron told them as he hugged them both. "He'd like to see you when you're up for it, Saffy."

"I'd like that," Saffron said quietly. She sat back down and took another bite of her chicken.

"Just give him a ring," Luna said. "Everyone's anxious to see you two."

"Welcome Home, Ethan!" Ron said clapping him on the back. "And Congratulations!"

"Thanks," Ethan said with a broad grin. "I can't even believe it!"

"She's something, isn't she?" Ron asked looking over toward the pram where the baby was currently sleeping.

"I can't wait for the three of us to spend more time together," Ethan said. "Mads and I have been waiting for this for... so long."

"I know," Luna said. "You have the family you've always wanted."

"Sure do," Ethan agreed, looking over at his wife and daughter.

Hermione reached over and gave her daughter's hand a squeeze. She couldn't stop looking at both of her children. They were home and it was the best Christmas present she could have ever received.

Saffron managed a smile. "I'd like to see Alexa- do you think that would be okay?"

"Of course," Hermione replied.

"Maybe RJ or Gabe could bring her over," Harry suggested.

"I'll do it," Julie said. She had a feeling her sister wasn't up to seeing anyone else. "I'll Floo over right now."

"Thanks Jules," Saffron said gratefully.

225. Chapter 225

Authors’ note: Thank you guys for helping us hit 10,000 reviews! We appreciate each and every one of them. This story is still going strong despite the fact that it was originally going to be sort of a “deleted” scenes group of chapters. It took a life of its own though and doesn’t seem to be ready to die any time soon. We hope you will continue to read! Thanks again!

Since Alexa's parents were Muggles, they didn't listen to the wireless. So, Alexa didn't know that her best friend and brother had been found. She was in the sitting room with her parents reading a book.

"Sweetheart, when is Gabriel coming in for winter hols?" Karen asked.

"Friday," Alexa replied. "It will be really nice to see him again."

"I like him," Patrick said. "He's a good bloke."

Alexa smiled. He was a good bloke. Over the last few months, he'd written and called on a regular basis and was always sending her thoughtful gifts.

They were all startled when a moment later, their fireplace roared to life and Julie came tumbling out.

"Julie?" Alexa asked. "What are you doing here?"

Julie grinned. "Saffron wants to see you. She and Ethan are home, safe and sound!"

Alexa's jaw dropped. "W-what?"

Karen grinned. "Oh, that's wonderful news! I know Harry and Hermione are thrilled!"

"Very much," Julie replied. "It's been all over the Wireless all evening."

Alexa got to her feet. "Can I go, Mum?"

Karen nodded. "Of course! Give her our best!"

"I'm sure she'll want to be by soon," Julie said. "She's sort of easing back into things."

Alexa walked over to the fireplace and grabbed some Floo powder.

Saffron waited in the sitting room for her sister and best friend to arrive. It felt so surreal, after all these months, to be back at home.

Puddles sat beside her on the sofa. Her dog hadn't left her side since she'd walked in the house.

"I missed you too, baby." Saffron rubbed his head.

The fireplace roared to life and Alexa appeared followed quickly by Julie.

"Saffy!" Alexa squealed, not bothering to dust herself off.

"Lexie!" Saffron's eyes teared up as she threw her arms around her best friend.

"You're home!" Alexa exclaimed, tears falling down her face. "I-I never thought I'd see you again!"

Saffron hugged her tightly. "I'm so sorry you lost two years, Lexie."

"It wasn't your fault," Alexa said. "And I'm getting it back little by little."

Saffron nodded. "I hope I didn't ruin things between you and Gabe. That madman--"

Alexa held up her hand. "Julie said he was going to Azkaban. The important thing is that you're home! I missed you so much!"

"I missed you too," Saffron hugged her again. "And I'm so glad you're getting your memory back. I'll help you as much as you can, I promise."

"And if you want to talk about what happened, I'll be here to listen," Alexa said.

Saffron looked away. "I can't help thinking that if weren't for me, Sean would still be here and you'd have your memories and be happy in California."

"I don't think that at all," Alexa squeezed her hands. "And Sean loved you. That's why he did what he did."

"Everything feels so different now," Saffron said quietly. "I just wonder if anything will ever be the same again. And my Gran..."

"I know," Alexa said sympathetically. "I heard about that. I'm so sorry, Saffy. I know how much you loved her."

"It just... it makes it worse knowing she died before we came home," Saffron wiped her eyes.

"She's with your grandfather again," Alexa said. "And she's not in any pain anymore."

"I keep telling myself that," Saffron answered.

Alexa heard voices from the other room. "Seems like you have a full house."

"Yeah," Saffron said. "Nick, Jules and Katie have been staying here. Uncle Ron and Aunt Luna are here too. And... You heard about Ethan and Maddie, right?"

"Yeah," Alexa smiled. "You have a new niece."

"She's just gorgeous," Saffron said. "Of course, coming from Maddie, that's a given."

"And she'll have a great head of hair," Alexa grinned.

"Lucky," Saffron leaned against her friend. "I feel better having you here."

"Do you want to go back and join your family?" Alexa asked.

"Come with me," Saffron grabbed her hand.

Puddles followed them into the dining room where everyone was enjoying dessert.

"Hello, Alexa," Hermione said giving the younger girl a hug. "We're so happy to have you here!"

"Thanks," Alexa hugged her back. "I'm so happy Saffy and Ethan are home."

"Me too," Hermione said. "Would you like a piece of Greta's famous German chocolate cake?"

"I'd love that," Alexa replied. "Thank you." she took a seat next to Saffron and smiled at Ethan. "Congratulations."

"Thanks," Ethan said. "Good to see you, Lexie."

"You too," Alexa nodded as she peered into the pram. "She is so, so beautiful."

"She is, isn't she?" Ethan said with a grin. "Not that I'm biased."

"Of course not," Maddie teased with a smile. "But then again, neither am I."

Saffron eagerly took a bite of her cake. She shared a smile with Greta.

"I gave you both extra large pieces," Greta said. "I'm going to stay here for awhile to make you all sorts of things to eat."

Saffron grinned. "Thank you, Greta."

"What will we do for dinner?" Katie asked.

"Malfoy pizza?" Nick suggested with a grin.

Saffron laughed with the others, but she still couldn't help feeling guilty for having a good time while Sean...well, she didn't like to think about Sean and what had happened. It was all her fault and nothing anyone said would convince her of anything different.

Meanwhile, RJ arrived back at home. Andrew and Natalia were sitting on the sofa watching a movie together.

"Hey mate," RJ said. "Guess what?"

"You decided to cook dinner for us?" Andrew asked.

"Hardly," RJ said. "They found Ethan and Saffy!"

Natalia grinned. "That's fantastic! Are they okay?"

RJ nodded. "Both of them are fine. Home, safe and sound."

Andrew turned off the television. A wide grin broke across his handsome face. "Did you see her? I mean them?"

"Not yet," RJ shook his head. "Mum and Dad went over, though. They said they'd tell her to ring me when she's ready for visitors."

Natalia gave Andrew a hug. "I know how worried you were about them both."

"Yeah," Andrew said. "I just... I'm so glad she's okay."

"You and me both," RJ said. "My dad said Uncle Harry went crazy when they found that nutter. He's going to Azkaban for the rest of his miserable, bloody life."

"Good," Andrew said angrily. "He deserves worse for taking them away."

RJ nodded in agreement. "We can go over together, mate. When she's up for it."

"Sure," Andrew agreed immediately. "Whenever you want to go."

"I know your sister is very happy to have Ethan home," Natalia said. "That gorgeous baby finally gets to meet her papa."

RJ grinned. "She is cute, isn't she?"

"Adorable," Natalia smiled. "And you've only taken how many pictures of her in her short life?"

RJ laughed. "A few rolls of film."

"A few?" Andrew scoffed. "More like twenty."

RJ sat down on the opposite sofa. "Can I help it that all of us Weasleys are genetically superior beings? It has to be documented for all the world to see?"

"Please," Andrew rolled his eyes but grinned. "Where's Audrey?"

"Working," RJ replied.

"Everything okay with you two?" Natalia asked.

"We're getting there," RJ said. "I still have a lot to make up for."

"Good," Andrew said. "She's good for you. And Gabe seems to be making ground with Lexie."

"Yeah," RJ said thoughtfully. "I think I just got caught up in what Lex and I used to have. But, we're not the same people."

"None of us are," Andrew said quietly.

Natalia snuggled up closer to him again. Andrew put his arm around her, but his thoughts were on Saffron. She was safe. He wanted more than anything to see for himself, but it wasn't his place. She wasn't his girlfriend anymore.

RJ stood up, sensing that they wanted to be alone. "I'll let you know when Saffron rings me."

"Thanks mate," Andrew said before turning the television on again.

Natalia rested her head on Andrew's shoulder as RJ left them. "What were we up to?" she asked coyly.

"Half way through the film," Andrew replied.

"I meant here," she said, tracing her fingers over his chest.

Andrew grinned. "Talia."

"That's more like it," she said softly.

Andrew gave her a kiss. "You were the one who picked this movie out."

"But I forgot to tell you I'd already seen it," she said impishly.

"You are so devious," Andrew laughed, feeling happier than he had in months. He knew why, of course, but he didn't want to admit it.

"Want to make me breakfast in the morning?" she murmured.

"I think I've spoiled you," Andrew said.

"I think you have," Natalia agreed. "And I love it."

Andrew rested his forehead on hers. "I'm sorry for how I've acted these last few months."

"You were worried," she said.

"I'm going to be a much better boyfriend from now on," he promised.

"You're fine the way you are," Natalia looped her arms around his neck.

Andrew leaned in and kissed her. "You deserve a whole lot better than me."

"I disagree with that," Natalia closed her eyes.

"I'm just really glad you're here," Andrew said.

Natalia reached over and turned the telly off again. "Show me how glad..."

"Come on then," Andrew said standing up and offering her his hand.

Natalia willingly followed him into his bedroom.

Andrew tried to put Saffron out of his mind. The important thing was that she was home safe and sound. Besides, he did owe it to Natalia to make up for how neglectful he'd been toward her. She did deserve better than him.

*** *** ***

Ethan found himself awake around half past three in the morning. He was so used to sleeping on a hard bed, and watching out for Saffron that this felt strange to him now.

Maddie awoke with a start when she felt the bed move. "Ethan?"

"Sorry," he whispered. "Just can't sleep."

"Did you have a bad dream?" Maddie asked putting her hand on his shoulder.

"No," Ethan said. "Just... can't sleep. I keep thinking I should be watching out for Saffy."

"She's fine," Maddie said softly. "We're all fine. You don't need to watch out for anyone. "

Ethan nodded, running his hands through his hair.

"Lay back down with me," Maddie said. "I know you're exhausted."

Ethan did as his wife said. "The whole time I was gone, I dreamed about holding you like this," he said softly.

"I dreamt about it too," Maddie whispered.

"I want you to tell me all about Kiera's birth," Ethan said. "Everything that happened from the moment I was gone."

"Well, you remember me telling you that I was starting to hear other people's thoughts?" Maddie asked him.

Ethan nodded.

"Every time that it happened, I'd get sick," Maddie told him. "I'd feel really nauseous and knackered. It was quite strange, really. I never put two and two together until this one day when I was with your parents."

"Who discovered you were pregnant?" Ethan asked.

"Pansy Parkinson," Maddie told him. "She was my healer. Smythe was there too and when she heard what had happened, she explained about how Kiera could be the one hearing the thoughts and because I was carrying her that was why I was hearing them."

"That's incredible," Ethan said. "So she'll be able to read people's minds?"

"So it would seem," Maddie smiled.

"Wow," Ethan shook his head. "What was the birth like?"

"I was terrified," Maddie told him honestly. "You weren't there, but I had my mum and Frankie."

"I'm glad," Ethan said quietly. "I should have been there."

"You would have been there if you could have been," Maddie said putting her arm around him. "I know that, Ethan. It couldn't be helped."

"Yeah but--" he argued.

Maddie put a finger to his lips. "No, I'm not going to let you beat yourself up over this. It couldn't be helped, Ethan."

"I'm not leaving your side again," Ethan swore.

Maddie kissed him. "I love you."

"I love you too," Ethan kissed her back.

Kiera chose that moment to let out a cry and Maddie smiled. "There's another something you'll need to get used to."

"Another reason why we'll get no sleep?" Ethan pushed the covers back.

He walked over to the crib and picked up his daughter. "What's wrong, little one? Hmm?"

"She's probably hungry," Maddie replied, sitting on the edge of the bed. "I'll feed her."

"She is a Weasley," Ethan said handing the baby to her.

"That's right," Maddie said, holding Kiera close and nursing her.

Ethan sat down on the edge of the bed and watched them.

"She sometimes sleeps right through the night," Maddie said softly. "I rarely have to get up with her until morning."

"It's been a big day for her," Ethan said. "She's met her dad and she's in an unfamiliar place. She's used to being at your mum and dad's."

"Yes," Maddie smiled. "But now it's time to take her home."

"Tomorrow," Ethan promised. "We'll take her home to the cottage."

"Sounds good to me," Maddie said. "Blue missed it too."

"Home," Ethan said with a grin.

"It just wasn't the same without you there," Maddie told him.

"I'm going to make up for the time we lost," Ethan told her.

"You don't have to," Maddie said. "It's enough that you're here."

"I want to," Ethan said. "I'm going to be a better husband and I want to be a good father for Kiera."

"You will be a great father," Maddie assured him.

"I want to be as good a father as my dad was to us," Ethan said. "I know he's been beating himself up over what happened, but we don't hold it against him. He didn't know where we were. I know he did everything he could to find us."

"He really did," Maddie nodded. "This has been so hard on everyone, but I know it's nothing compared to what you and Saffy went through."

"I'm worried about her," Ethan confided. "She---she had it a lot worse than I did. He kept calling her by mum's name and I know he was watching her."

"What a horrible man," Maddie said softly.

"I thought Dad was going to kill him," Ethan remembered from earlier. "I've seen him angry before, but never, ever like that. The scary thing is that I understand. If someone ever took Kiera from us, I'd be the same way."

"He or she would have to face both of us," Maddie said as Kiera finished eating.

Ethan handed his wife a towel.

"Oh no," Maddie said with a grin. "You get to do this part."

Ethan laughed. "Okay." He draped the towel over his bare shoulder and gingerly took the baby from his wife.

"It's easy," Maddie said. "Just pat her back softly.

Ethan did as Maddie asked and smiled when he heard their daughter let out a small burp. "Even her burps are perfect."

"Of course they are," Maddie said. "She's part Weasley."

Ethan continued patting her back in a soothing motion. This was so surreal.

"I still can't believe this," he said. "After all this time... and all the trouble..."

"Here she is," Maddie smiled.

"Yeah," Ethan said. "And I don't plan on missing another moment."

"We'll watch her grow up together," Maddie said happily. "And if she does have the ability to hear other's thoughts when she grows up, we'll help her deal with that."

"Right," Ethan said as Kiera's eyes began to close.

"Let's put you back down, sweetheart," Ethan said softly.

Maddie watched as her husband gently laid the baby back down in the crib. "Well done, Ethan. You're a natural."

Ethan smiled. "Thanks."

"Come back in here," she said, lying down on the bed.

Ethan did as she asked and Maddie snuggled up against him.

"This is about as close to perfection as it could get," Ethan said with a grin.

"Yes it is," Maddie agreed dreamily.

"I love you so much," Ethan said. "And I can't wait until I'm able to show you just how much."

"It's enough for me to just to have you hold me like this," Maddie said. "I was so scared, Ethan."

"I was too," Ethan said. "The thought of never seeing you again..."

"But, here we are," Maddie said.

"Right," Ethan said. "No more dwelling on this."

"We have so much ahead of us," Maddie said.

"More kids?" Ethan asked.

Maddie smiled. "I'd love to give Kiera a brother or sister."

"Me too," Ethan answered.

Maddie gave him a kiss.

Ethan kept her mouth pressed to his for a few long moments.

"I love you," Maddie whispered when they pulled apart.

"I love you too," Ethan brushed a strand of hair out of her eyes.

Maddie rested her head on Ethan's chest and closed her eyes. She heard the sound of Ethan's heart and it lulled her to sleep.

Ethan remained awake as he gently ran his fingers through Maddie's hair.

He'd meant what he told her. He was going to make up for the time he lost. He wasn't going to let his career be such a big part of his life. It wasn't as important to him as Maddie and their daughter. They were everything to him and it took being separated from them to make him see that.

With a sigh, he closed his eyes and finally let sleep overcome him.

*** *** ***

Saffron had been home for a couple of days now. She was happy to sleep in her own bed, but it was still a little strange to be home. Things felt different; she felt different. Yesterday morning, she'd gone with her sister and brother to visit her grandmother's grave. That had been an emotional experience to say the least. Saffron didn't like to think about the fact that she'd never gotten a chance to say a proper goodbye. It didn't really seem as if her Gran was gone.

This would be the first Christmas without her and Saffron wasn't so sure how that would go. Her father and Ethan had left earlier to go and get the Christmas tree. Julie, Nick, Greta and the girls were still staying here and Saffron was glad to have the company. She wanted to be around her family now more than ever.

"Aunt Saffy?" Ashley knocked softly on the door. "Are you awake?"\

"Yeah," Saffron replied. "Come in."

Ashley smiled when she saw her aunt. She had been ecstatic upon getting the news that her Christmas wish had been granted- that her aunt and uncle were home safely. "Want some breakfast? Greta made chocolate chip pancakes for us."

"That sounds really good," Saffron said pulling back her covers. She'd been up earlier to see her brother and father off before they left to get the tree. Saffron reached for her dressing gown and pulled her hair back with a tie. "How'd you sleep, Ash?"

"Pretty good," Ashley replied. "Aunt Saffy, you HAVE to listen to the CD Zander made for me. It's amazing."

"What kind of CD?" Saffron asked as they walked downstairs.

"He composed a song," Ashley told her.

"Really?" Saffron asked, impressed. "For you?"

"Sort of," Ashley blushed.

"No one's ever written me a song," Saffron said linking arms with her niece.

"It doesn't have words or anything," Ashley told her. "But it's really beautiful."

"I look forward to hearing it," Saffron said as they entered the kitchen. "Something smells delicious, Greta."

"Good morning Saffron," Greta beamed at her. "Fresh off the griddle, just for you."

Saffron walked over and gave her a hug. "You're going to spoil me."

"I'll spoil you any day of the week," Greta kissed the top of her head.

"Dad and Ethan haven't come back yet, have they?" Saffron asked.

Maddie shook her head. "They promised to get the biggest and best tree because it's Kiera's first Christmas."

Katie beamed. "I got to hold her and everything, Aunt Saffy. I think she likes me."

"I'm sure she loves you, Katie." Saffron told her.

"She's the prettiest baby I've ever seen," Katie said. "I love looking at her eyes."

"I do too," Saffron replied. "It's so cool."

Greta set a plate of pancakes down in front of Saffron. "Here you are, love."

"Thanks Greta," Saffron said. "If my appetite hadn't returned before it would now."

"Maddie, I know you'd like some," Greta said.

"Yes, please," Maddie said eagerly.

"Maddie likes chocolate chip anything," Saffron said, reciting something she'd heard Ethan say.

Maddie grinned. "When I was little I used to love chocolate chip muffins. Well, that's a lie. I still love them."

Kiera let out a soft cry from the pram next to Maddie's chair.

"I'll get her," Greta offered. "So you can eat your breakfast."

"Thanks," Maddie said, leaning over to check on her daughter.

Saffron took a bite of her pancakes and closed her eyes. They were just as good as she always remembered.

"I know how you feel," Maddie saw her face. "They bring back my childhood as well."

"Good memories," Saffron said softly.

"You'll have many, many more good memories to come, Saffy." Maddie told her. "You're strong, and you'll overcome all this. And you won't have to do it alone."

Saffron smiled at her sister-in-law. "Thanks, Maddie."

"Anytime you want to talk I'm here," Maddie said.

"Thanks," Saffron said. She was about to ask where her mother and Julie were when they came into the kitchen.

"We brought all the ornaments down from the attic," Hermione said.

"I can't wait to decorate the tree," Ashley said happily. "Especially now that Uncle Ethan and Aunt Saffy are home."

"Me too," Hermione said tugging affectionately on her youngest daughter's ponytail. "Good morning, sweetheart."

"Morning," Saffron said.

"Would you both like some breakfast?" Greta asked them.

"I could smell those pancakes from the attic," Julie said ravenously.

Hermione sat down opposite her youngest daughter. "Did you sleep okay?"

Saffron nodded. "I-I was a little scared though. I nearly knocked on the door of your room and asked if I could sleep with you guys. How crazy is that?"

"We wouldn't have minded, sweetheart," Hermione told her.

Saffron nodded. "Puddles kept me company though. He hasn't left my side."

"He missed you," Hermione said. "We all did, my sweet girl. I have to admit I checked on you quite a few times."

Saffron looked at her. "You should be getting some sleep, too. You've been through a lot too, Mum. Julie said you didn't sleep much while we were gone. I'm sorry I made you worry."

"Don't you apologise for anything," Hermione said.

Saffron gave a half smile. She didn't want to bring everyone down. Today was supposed to be a happy day. "Where's Nick, Jules?"

"He'll be around soon," Julie said. "He had to run into the studio for a while."

"Can I borrow Puddles later?" Katie asked. "We're going to have a tea party again. I have the cutest purple lace hat I want to put on him."

Puddles let out a little whimper at this.

Saffron smiled. "I was going to take him for a walk around the grounds later."

"Oh," Katie said. "Well, maybe tomorrow then."

Saffron scratched her dog's ears. "We'll see, Katie."

"Blue would love to go to a tea party," Maddie offered. "Especially if you have lemon biscuits. Those are his favourite."

"Ooooh!" Katie brightened up. "Does he like hats?"

Maddie smiled. "Yes, he does."

"This will be so much fun," Katie said happily. "Thanks Aunt Maddie!"

Julie laughed. "I was just remembering those times when you made Ethan play tea party with you Maddie. You and Dolly."

Maddie smiled. "And he hated it."

Julie shook her head. "Greta would tell him that he'd get to fly if he was nice."

"He tried," Maddie said fondly. "I think he enjoyed spending time with Dolly more than me."

"That's because Dolly was a little on the wild side," Julie told Katie and Ashley. "If she was out of her cage, look out..."

"She tore up my dad's Chudley Cannons shirt one time," Maddie told them. "And I was terrified that they'd make me let her go. So I got some Spellotape and put that shirt back together."

"It was the cutest thing," Hermione said with a grin. "Ron couldn't be mad at you after you tried to hard."

"And I knew it too," Maddie said mischievously as she finished her breakfast.

"Hello? Did someone order a tree?" Harry's voice called out from the sitting room.

"Grandpa!" Ashley jumped up. "It's a beautiful tree!"

"Of course it is," Ethan said proudly. "Your wonderful uncle picked it out."

Saffron smiled when she saw the tree. "It's perfect."

"How's it going, brat?" Ethan asked.

"Better," she said, hugging him.

"You smell like chocolate," Ethan said. "Let me guess...Greta's pancakes?"

"We saved you some," Saffron told him.

Maddie came into the sitting room carrying Kiera. "Look, sweetheart. That is your very first Christmas tree."

Kiera's eyes were wide as she took in what was in front of her.

"How are my girls?" Ethan asked, giving both of them a kiss.

"Wide awake," Maddie said grinning at him. "She's been cooing all morning."

Ethan laughed. "I like her that way."

Saffron knelt down and picked up Puddles who was looking adoringly up at her.

Harry walked over to his wife and gave her a hug. "How's our girl today?" he asked in a low voice.

"She's all right," Hermione said. "Ate a lot at breakfast, which I was glad to see."

"Me too," Harry said. "And how are you doing this morning? I know you got up a lot last night to check on her."

"A little tired, but okay," Hermione leaned against him.

"Do you like the tree?" Harry asked putting his arms around her waist.

"I do," Hermione nodded. "You two did a great job."

"Ethan picked it," Harry said. "We went to a Muggle lot. Didn't want to chance running into a reporter."

Hermione nodded. "I wanted this so much. A nice Christmas with all three of my babies here."

"Safe and happy," Harry agreed. The sound of Saffron's laughter filled the room as she chased after Puddles.

"There's a sound I love," Hermione had to smile.

Blue, the Cornish pixie, rattled his cage, eager to get out and enjoy the fun.

"I'll get him," Ethan said, opening the door. "Get on out here..."

Blue excitedly flew around Ethan's head a few times before rushing over to Maddie.

He gazed down at Kiera and sighed happily.

"You love your new little mistress don't you baby?" Maddie asked her tiny pixie.

Blue nodded and blew a kiss in Kiera's direction.

Katie giggled. "He's so cute, Aunt Maddie. I can't wait to have a tea party with him."

"Poor little pixie," Ethan said under his breath, causing Saffron to giggle.

"It's good to laugh again," Saffron said to her brother.

"It's good to see you laughing again," Ethan said smiling at her. "I know it doesn't seem like it now, but it will get better each day, Saf."

Saffron nodded. "You know... I still haven't been able to bring myself to go see or ring Sean's parents. I feel so guilty."

"You'll do it when you're ready," Ethan said.

"He should be celebrating Christmas with his family too," Saffron said quietly.

"Saffy," Julie said coming over to hug her sister.

"I'm sorry," Saffron said. "I'm doing it again."

"No need to apologise," Julie told her. "We know how hard this is for you."

"I just wish I could take a time turner and erase all this," Saffron said.

"You have to find some way to get past this," Julie said. "You didn't mean for any of this to happen. It was a case of him being in the wrong place at the wrong time. "

"I guess," Saffron sighed.

"He saved your life," Harry said. "And for that, I am eternally grateful."

Saffron nodded.

"Why don't we get started decorating the tree?" Hermione suggested.

"Sounds good," Harry said. "Saffy, why don't you help me get those lights untangled?"

Saffron nodded. "Okay, Daddy."

Harry gave her a hug as she stood up. "That's my girl."

Saffron offered him a slight smile. "You know we can't do it with magic. Grandpa's rules."

Harry grinned. "We're exempt from those rules if we can't untangle them in 15 minutes."

"Grandpa never agreed to that," Saffron reminded him.

"We'll do it your way if you want," Harry said, his arm around her.

"I do," Saffron said smiling sideways at him.

"I always love to see your smile, sweetheart," Harry said. "I'll do anything to keep it on your face."

"I'm just really glad to be home," Saffron said.

"I'm glad you're home too," Harry said as they set to work on the box of lights.

Saffron looked at him. "I always help you with this."

"It's one of my favourite parts of decorating," Harry told her.

"You realise that when I was a kid, Mum had me sit beside you so you wouldn't swear," Saffron said with a grin.

Harry laughed. "And you have no idea how hard it was for me not to."

Saffron nudged him. "You did pretty well most of the time, Daddy."

"Only because you helped me," Harry said.

"And Ethan never wanted to help," Saffron said rolling her eyes. "He was always up in his room owling girls."

"But he was always there to put the star on," Harry finished for her.

"It's always been my favourite time of year," Saffron said softly.

"Mine too," Harry tugged affectionately on one of her messy plaits.

"Mummy," Katie said pulling an ornament out of the box. "This is the gingerbread man you made when you were Emma's age!"

Julie laughed. "Which explains why it has three eyes."

"I apparently didn't get my artistic talent from you," Ashley teased.

"Hardly," Julie joked.

"I loved each and every thing you ever made, Julie," Hermione reassured her.

"I know," Julie replied. "It's the same way for me with everything they make."

"I'm sure we'll be that way with Kiera," Maddie said.

"Of course we will be," Ethan lifted her up. "I can already tell she's going to be a daddy's girl."

"How can you tell?" Katie asked.

"You'll know when you get older," Ethan answered.

Katie continued to look at the ornaments and she pulled out a pretty crystal angel.

"Be careful with that one," Saffron said, tears welling up in her eyes. "That one...that one belonged to Gran."

"Oh," Katie said. "Here Aunt Saffy. You should hang it."

Saffron gingerly took the angel ornament. "She had it since she was a little girl. Great-Grandpa Malcolm gave it to her."

"I've always loved that one," Hermione said.

Saffron handed it to her mother. "You should hang it, Mum."

Hermione laid it carefully on the table. "I will once you and your father get those lights on."

"It might take awhile," Saffron said motioning to where her father was pulling at a strand of tangled lights.

"You going to go easy on him and let him do it our way?" Hermione put an arm around her.

"Okay," Saffron relented. "Daddy, you can use magic."

Harry looked up, relieved. "Are you sure?"

Saffron nodded. "Go ahead."

"Thanks baby," Harry waved his hand at the lights.

The tangled mess quickly became untangled and with another wave of his hand, the lights wrapped around the tree perfectly.

"It's beautiful, Daddy," Saffron said.

Harry grinned. "Thank you, baby."

Saffron gave him a tight hug. "I love you Daddy."

"I love you too," Harry said swallowing the lump in his throat.

Hermione smiled at him. "Saffy, RJ and Andrew sent an owl over earlier. They wanted to know if you'd be up for a visit."

"Oh," Saffron said, taken aback. "Um...I guess that'd be okay."

"Are you sure?" Hermione asked. "If it's too soon--"

"No," Saffron shook her head. "It's fine."

"RJ's been anxious to see you," Maddie told her sister in law. "He was really worried."

"It will be nice to see them again," Saffron said, feeling a little anxious at the thought.

Harry patted her shoulder. "It'll be good for you. Help you get back to normal."

"Normal," Saffron said quietly.

"You take your time," Harry told her.

Saffron did want to see them, but she just didn't know how they'd react to her as she was now. She had changed. She'd never been afraid of anything, but now she jumped at the slightest bump in the night. Guilt plagued her over Sean and no matter what anyone said, she didn't see that ever going away.

"I'll tell them to come over whenever you're ready," Maddie said.

"Thanks, Maddie," Saffron said gratefully.

"Let's get these ornaments up," Julie said. "Then the boys can see the tree all decorated up."

"Okay," Hermione said. "But, first...there's something I want to give Ethan and Maddie in honour of baby Kiera's first Christmas."

"What is it, mum?" Ethan asked.

Hermione handed Maddie a box. "Open it."

Maddie unwrapped the box. "Baby's first Christmas," she lifted the ornament out of the box. "It's beautiful!"

Hermione grinned. "I'm so glad you like it."

"Thanks Mum," Ethan said with a smile. "Let's let Kiera hang it, aye?"

"Uncle Ethan," Katie said shaking her head. "Kiera can't do that yet!"

"Sure she can," Ethan stood up, his daughter in his arms. "Watch."

Katie folded her arms and watched.

Ethan held Kiera up while Maddie guided their daughter's little fist to the tree.

"I'd say right here looks good," Maddie said.

"There we go," Ethan said as Maddie held Kiera's hand and the ornament and helped the infant hang it on the tree.

Kiera let out a cooing sound as she looked wide-eyed at the tree.

"That's my girl," Maddie said proudly.

"Katie, why don't you choose one to hang next?" Julie asked.

"Okay," Katie dove into the box.

Slowly, the tree was decorated with homemade ornaments and store bought ones.

"This is the best tree we ever had," Ashley sat down next to her aunt.

Saffron nodded in agreement. "It is."

"Are you nervous about seeing Andrew?" Ashley asked softly.

"Yes," Saffron replied.

"I think he still loves you," Ashley said innocently.

Saffron shook her head. "I don't think so, Ash. He's got a new girlfriend and from what I remember, they were quite happy together."

"Yeah but you don't know that for sure," Ashley said. "Mummy told me he was at the Ministry all the time helping look for you."

Saffron wouldn't let herself read too much into that.

"I should go get myself dressed properly," Saffron said.

"Okay," Ashley said reaching for her portable cd player. She wanted to listen to Zander's CD.

"Come with me, Ash?" Saffron asked.

"Sure," Ashley said setting the music down.

"You can bring that with if you like," Saffron said. "I just still don't like being alone."

"Of course," Ashley said following her aunt upstairs.

"I really need to go shopping," Saffron said thoughtfully. "And do something with my hair."

"Are you up for going out?" Ashley asked.

"I don't know," Saffron shrugged. "Probably not today."

"I'd be happy to go with you when you do," Ashley said. "I still have some last minute shopping to do."

"Thanks Ash," Saffron smiled. "I'm glad you're here."

"I'm glad you're here," Ashley said sitting down on Saffron's unmade bed. "Christmas wouldn't have been the same without you and Uncle Ethan."

"It's not going to be the same without Gran here," Saffron said quietly.

"I know," Ashley said. "But, I keep telling myself that she's in a better place and she's with Grandpa Robert again."

"I keep trying to tell myself that too," Saffron answered, grabbing a jumper and jeans. "But I just miss her so much. And I regret not being able to tell her goodbye."

"You didn't say much about going to see her grave yesterday," Ashley said.

Saffron shrugged. "It was really hard.... hard for me to tell her what I needed to say, you know?"

Ashley nodded in understanding. "When we were all staying here while you and Ethan were gone, she talked about you all the time."

"She did?" Saffron asked, pulling her jumper on.

"Yeah," Ashley said. "She would talk about the things you used to do together and how you were her special girl."

Saffron's eyes filled with tears and she wiped them away. "I miss her so much."

"I didn't mean to make you cry," Ashley apologised.

"Its okay Ash," Saffron hugged her. "This is just going to be hard to deal with for awhile."

"I know," Ashley said. "I---I actually sent a Christmas card to my other grandmother."

"You did?" Saffron asked, undoing her plaits and dragging a brush through her unruly hair.

Ashley nodded. "I didn't tell my dad. I just---losing Grandma Ellie had me thinking about my Grandmother Ginny. She--she hasn't sent anything back yet. I don't think she will."

"Probably not," Saffron nodded. "But it was really sweet of you to send a card."

Ashley shrugged. "Maybe someday..."

"How about we listen to that CD?" Saffron asked.

Ashley grinned. "Okay, it's really good!"

"I can't wait to hear it," Saffron said, sitting back down on the bed as she plaited her hair again.

Ashley pushed the play button and smiled when she heard the music fill the room.

Saffron listened intently, quite impressed with Zander's talent. "This is beautiful," she said.

"It is, isn't it?" Ashley asked. "He gave it to me for Christmas."

"And you said he wrote it for you?" Saffron asked.

Ashley nodded.

"My, my..." Saffron smiled.

"What?" Ashley asked innocently.

"It seems to me like Zander fancies you a bit," Saffron answered.

Ashley blushed. "What? No..."

"Sounds like it to me," Saffron answered.

Ashley shook her head. "We're only 12, Aunt Saffy."

"Just saying," Saffron put a bit of lip gloss on and wished she didn't look so pale."

"We're just friends," Ashley said as the music came to an end.

Hermione knocked on the door. "Sweetheart, you look lovely."

"I look all right," Saffron said.

"Andrew and RJ are downstairs," Hermione said. "They wanted to see you, if you were up for it."

226. Chapter 226

Authors; note: Here you go, guys. Saffron’s reunion with Andrew and RJ.

"Andrew and RJ are downstairs," Hermione said. "They wanted to see you, if you were up for it."

Saffron nodded. "I'll be down in just a moment."

Hermione smiled. "Okay."

"Breathe," Saffron coached herself, fanning her face.

"Sweetheart, if you're not up for it, we can ask them to come back later," Hermione offered.

"No it's fine," Saffron said.

She hadn't seen Andrew in so long and she couldn't help the butterflies that fluttered in her stomach at the prospect of seeing him.

She followed her mother and Ashley down the stairs and into the sitting room.

Andrew and RJ were sitting on one of the sofas talking with Harry.

"Saf!" RJ stood up and grinned at her.

Saffron hung back with her mother. "Um...hi, RJ."

RJ came forward to give her a hug. "Missed you, Saf. And we're really glad you're okay."

"Me too," Saffron said quietly.

"Hi Saffy," Andrew stood up.

"Hiya, Andrew," Saffron said softly. She reached up and tugged nervously on one of her plaits. She didn't know what to say or do around him.

Hermione linked her arm with Ashley's. "Ashley, why don't you and I go and check on Sophie and Puddles?"

"Okay, Grandma," Ashley said. "Grandpa, are you coming too?"

Harry nodded. "Sure, Ash."

Saffron watched them leave and for a moment wished she could go with them.

"Um, Greta made chocolate pancakes for breakfast," Saffron said. "I'm sure we have leftovers. Can I get either of you anything?"

"I'd love some," RJ said ravenously. "I'm starved."

"I don't know why," Andrew said dryly. "You only ate at the Burrow this morning where your grandmother made you a six course breakfast."

RJ shrugged. "That was an appetizer."

Saffron motioned for them to follow her into the kitchen. "She's trying to fatten me up. I think I gained back whatever I lost in the last two days."

"I think you look great," Andrew said honestly.

Saffron stopped in her tracks. "Thanks..."

"I was really worried about you," Andrew told her. "I helped sort all the mail that came in while you were um... gone. I know it doesn't seem like much--"

Saffron shook her head. "It's a great deal, Andrew. Thank you for all that you did to help."

"Yeah well..." Andrew shoved his hands in his pockets. "I'd have done anything to get you home safely."

Saffron turned away. She didn't know what to make of this. She grabbed two plates from the cabinet.

"You shouldn't be serving us," RJ said. "Sit down. I know this kitchen about as well as my own, Saf."

"I don't mind," Saffron said.

"Sit," RJ said grabbing her hand.

Saffron had a flash of Gordon and she yanked her hand away. "Get away from me!"

"Saffy?" RJ asked. "I'm sorry- I didn't mean anything--"

Saffron stared up at him. "Um...I'm--I'm sorry."

"Are you all right?" he asked, concerned.

Saffron shook her head. "No."

"Is there anything we can do?" Andrew asked.

"There's nothing anyone can do," Saffron said quietly. "Things have changed so much and I'm not the same person I was. I just---I miss my grandmother so much. Everyone seems to expect me to go back to how I was, but it feels like a lifetime ago."

"You don't have to go back," RJ said. "You have to readjust however you want to."

"RJ's right," Andrew said.

Saffron shrugged. "It's just so hard."

"We can't say that we know," Andrew said looking at her. "But, um, we're here if you want to talk."

Saffron managed a smile. "Thanks Andrew."

"The coach is really eager to see you on the team," RJ said.

Saffron nodded. "I still want to play."

RJ grinned. "You are going to be the only girl on the team. I've warned them all to behave themselves."

Saffron smiled again. "You'll look out for me, right?"

"Absolutely," RJ said taking the plates. "Starting now. You sit and I'll get the food."

"Okay," Saffron sat down. "I guess I could manage a few more of those pancakes."

"Coming right up," RJ said.

"So um..." Saffron looked awkwardly at Andrew. "How are things with you and Natalia?"

"They're good," Andrew replied. "I'm supposed to be going with her to Italy for Christmas."

"Wow," Saffron said. "That's really nice..."

"Yeah," Andrew said looking down at the table.

"Here you go," RJ slid plates in front of them, breaking the tension.

Saffron smiled at him. "I heard that you were quite the photographer. Maddie said you've taken roll and after roll of film on Kiera."

RJ nodded. "She's the most photogenic baby in the world."

"She's adorable," Saffron agreed.

"How has Ethan taken to being a dad?" Andrew asked.

"He was a bit shocked to say the least when he found out," Saffron replied. "But he loves her so much."

"She's got great parents," RJ said. "And an even greater aunt and uncle, right Saf?"

"Right," Saffron said grinning.

RJ grinned back at her. He could still see a bit of the old spark in his friend.

"Will Greta become Kiera's nanny?" Andrew asked.

"I don't know," Saffron said thoughtfully. "Probably not. She's pretty attached to Nick."

"To you too," RJ said. "She baked up a storm while you were gone, you know? She was worried."

"I'm sort of reaping those benefits now," Saffron patted her stomach.

"Don't tell Nana I said this, but Greta's pancakes are the best I've ever eaten," RJ said.

"Your secret's safe with me," Saffron promised.

"Your dad told us that Puddles has been by your side since you came back," Andrew commented.

"Hasn't left once," Saffron glanced down at her dog, who had parked himself at her feet.

"He loves you," Andrew said softly. "And he's really glad that you're home."

Saffron wondered if he was only talking about Puddles.

Andrew's gaze lingered on her a few moments before he looked away.

Saffron blushed and looked down at the remains of her pancakes.

"Speaking of babies," RJ said. "Emma and Chloe are eager to see you, too, Sassy."

Saffron smiled. "I've missed them."

"Nana was crying in between cooking this morning," RJ said shaking his head. "She kept saying that her babies were home."

"She always did think of Ethan, Jules and me like her own," Saffron said.

"She thinks of everyone as her own," Andrew said. "Even me."

"She took pity on his ugly mug," RJ joked.

"He's not ugly," Saffron said softly before she could stop herself.

Andrew looked over at her in surprise.

"I forgot I was talking about Wizard McDreamy himself," RJ said chuckling.

Saffron blushed harder.

"Yeah, that's me alright," Andrew said dryly.

"I still can't believe you beat me out for that," RJ said.

"There's always next year," Saffron said. "If you keep that figure of yours..."

RJ patted his stomach. "Not if Greta keeps cooking."

Saffron laughed. "I know what you mean. But you boys always have an easier time than us burning that off."

"Yeah well once you get out there and start working out and playing, you'll lose anything you've got," RJ tossed a chocolate chip at her.

"RJ!" Saffron exclaimed.

"What?" he asked innocently.

"You're wasting food," Saffron said. "I'll have to tell Emma."

"Not that," RJ said dramatically. "She'll never forgive me."

Saffron laughed. "You are such a goofball."

"Anything to make you smile," RJ tossed another chocolate chip at her.

Saffron looked at Andrew. "How do you put up with him?"

Andrew smiled. "Feed him six times a day."

Saffron laughed. "That's all it takes?"

"When his mouth is full he can't talk," Andrew said mischievously.

"I'm sorry," RJ said sarcastically. "When did this become gang up on RJ?"

"When it made her laugh," Andrew said, looking at Saffron.

Saffron smiled at him. "I really missed you guys."

"We missed you too Saf," RJ said. "A lot's happened in the past few months."

"Lexie," Saffron said quietly.

"She's doing a lot better," Andrew said. "Remembering stuff here and there."

"I want to help her," Saffron said.

"I'm sure she'd like that," RJ said. "I've... well... I need to spend more time with Audrey."

"Lexie told me how you helped her," Saffron said. "I appreciate you doing that, RJ."

"I still care about her," RJ said.

"I'm glad you were there for her," Saffron said softly. "When I couldn't be."

"You'll help her now," RJ said. "And Gabe's been over here every chance he gets."

"Have you seen him yet?" Andrew asked Saffron. "Or your Aunt Lavender since you've been back?"

"Aunt Lav was over for a bit yesterday," Saffron said. "But I haven't seen Gabe yet."

"I was really sorry to hear about your grandmother," Andrew told her. "I know how close you were."

"Thanks," Saffron said softly. "It was hard coming home to that."

"You still have Nana," RJ reminded her.

"It's not the same," Saffron said. "Gran...was more than just my grandmother. I felt like she was my friend. I could talk to her about anything and some of my favourite memories growing up were spending time with her and Grandpa."

"It'll get easier," Andrew said. "Not right away, but eventually."

Saffron nodded. "That's what everyone keeps telling me."

"It's probably the last thing you want to hear," Andrew admitted.

"No," Saffron said instinctively reaching across the table and patting his arm. "I know that you care and that's the important thing."

"I've always cared," Andrew said quietly.

Saffron smiled shyly at him. "Thanks, Andrew."

RJ looked back and forth between them. It was obvious that the two of them still had strong feelings for each other.

Saffron pulled her hand away. "I need more juice."

"I'll get it for you," Andrew offered.

"Oh," Saffron said. "Thanks."

RJ smiled. "Your tree in the sitting room looks great."

"We just decorated it this morning," Saffron said. "It was nice. Just the family."

"Cool," RJ nodded. "It was the same for us at the Burrow."

"How are your parents, Andrew?" Saffron asked.

"Good," Andrew said. "They were really happy to hear you came home safely."

Saffron smiled. "Will you tell them I said hello?"

"Sure thing," he grinned at her.

"I heard you were here," Maddie said coming into the kitchen and seeing her brother.

"Hello, Mum." RJ said with a teasing grin.

Maddie gave him a hug. "How were things at the Burrow?"

"Great," RJ said. "We missed you there."

"We'll be by later to see Nana and Grandpa Arthur," Maddie said. "But, I just felt it was important to be here today."

"We understood," RJ assured her.

"Hello, Andrew," Maddie said smiling at him.

"Hey Maddie," Andrew said. "How's the baby?"

"Perfect," Maddie replied. "Ethan's upstairs with her now."

"I should go see if he wants me to take some pictures," RJ said, grabbing his camera.

Maddie grinned. "I was hoping you would. She's doing the cutest thing right now..."

"Like what?" RJ asked, following her out of the room.

Andrew shook his head at Saffron. "You know if he's like this over his niece, imagine what he'll be like if he has one of his own someday?"

"RJ reproducing?" Saffron shook her head. "Don't want to think about that."

"It might happen someday," Andrew said laughing.

"Yeah, well... I'm sure he'd be a good dad," Saffron said.

"He would," Andrew agreed gathering up their plates.

"I still think you'll make a good father too," Saffron said softly.

Andrew smiled at her. "You'll make a good mum."

"I hope so, someday," Saffron brought her glass over to the sink.

Andrew brought the plates over and he and Saffron settled into a comfortable silence while they did the dishes.

"You know," she said. "We could have done this with our wands."

"What fun would that have been?" Andrew asked.

"Not nearly as much," Saffron said dryly.

"It's so good to have you back," Andrew said as he dried one of the dishes. "It hasn't been the same without you, Saffy."

"I'm sure you've been busy with Quidditch," Saffron said.

Andrew nodded. "I have. Coach wants to win the Cup this year."

"I don't know about that," Saffron smiled. "Not once I start playing for Puddlemere."

"She's already talking trash," Andrew said grinning back at her.

"Missed that, did you?" Saffron laughed.

"Oh yeah," Andrew said nudging her.

"Why do I think you're just taking the Mickey?" Saffron nudged him back.

"Would I do that to you?" Andrew asked her.

"Maybe," Saffron said softly.

Andrew looked seriously at her. "Saffy, what happened earlier? When RJ grabbed your arm?"

Saffron shrugged. "It just... brought back some memories of Gordon."

"Did he---?" Andrew started to ask. The thought of that psychopath touching her made him see red.

Saffron folded her arms around herself. "Not really..."

"Saffy?" Andrew asked.

"He would call me by my mum's name," Saffron said quietly. "All the time."

"Really?" Andrew asked taken aback.

Saffron nodded. "And then turn right around and call me by my name. He kept saying that we'd be a family-- sometimes I was afraid of what he would do when I fell asleep."

Andrew took her hand and gave it a squeeze. "I can't imagine what this must have been like for you."

"It was really scary," Saffron admitted. "I never thought I'd get home at some points."

Andrew opened up his arms and Saffron went willingly into them. He hugged her tightly. He didn't know what to say to make her feel better.

Saffron closed her eyes and rested her head on his shoulder. Being in Andrew's arms again made her feel better than she had in a long time.

"I'm so sorry you had to go through this," Andrew said softly.

"It's not your fault," Saffron said, her voice muffled.

"I know," Andrew said. "But, if I'd have been there on the pier that day, maybe I could have---"

Saffron shook her head. "No... no."

Andrew looked down at her. "I always hated to see you cry."

"Sorry," Saffron whispered as he wiped her tear away with his thumb."

"You have nothing to apologise for," Andrew said. "Nothing at all."

"If it weren't for me, Sean would still be alive," Saffron sobbed. "My Gran probably still would be too!"

"Saffy," Andrew said holding her tightly. "That wasn't your fault! Sean---Sean did what anyone who loves you would have done."

Saffron drew in a ragged breath. "Everything is just such a mess, Andrew."

"It's going to sort itself out," Andrew promised. "And if you ever need to talk about it, you have your family and friends. We all want to help you, Saf. All you have to do is ask."

"You'll be there?" Saffron asked.

"Of course," Andrew said. "We're friends, right?"

Saffron paused a moment before nodding. "Friends. Of course."

Andrew looked like he was going to say something else when RJ came back into the kitchen.

"She is the cutest kid," RJ was saying. "I took another roll of film."

Saffron reluctantly stepped out of Andrew's embrace and grabbed a tissue to wipe her eyes.

"Everything okay?" RJ asked looking at his two friends.

"Fine," Andrew answered for both of them.

"I'm really glad you both stopped by," Saffron said. "But I just remembered that I promised Ash we would do something."

"Oh yeah?" RJ asked.

"Yeah," Saffron said giving him a hug. "I'll see you later, okay?"

"Sure," RJ said. "Glad you're okay, Saf. Ring me anytime you need anything, all right?"

"I will," Saffron said.

"See you, Saffy," Andrew said extending his hand.

Saffron shook it. "Thanks, Andrew."

"Come on, mate," RJ said.

Maddie came in as RJ and Andrew left. "Alright, Saffy?"

"Fine," Saffron lied.

"Ashley's upstairs in your room," Maddie said. "Told me you two were thinking of doing some shopping?"

Saffron nodded. "Yes. I haven't done any of my Christmas shopping."

"I don't think anyone expects you to get gifts--" Maddie began.

"I want to," Saffron interjected. "Especially my parents. They---they've been through a lot."

"Perhaps Ethan will want to go with you," Maddie suggested.

"I'd like that," Saffron said. She didn't want to go out with Ashley by herself. She knew it was silly to think like that. Gordon Devereaux was in Azkaban.

"Kiera and I will join the three of you then," Maddie said. "We don't have to be at the Burrow until later."

"Are you sure?" Saffron asked.

"Positive," Maddie smiled at her.

"Thanks, Maddie," Saffron said.

"Go on and get ready," Maddie told her. "I'll tell your parents and Ethan that we're headed out."

"Alright then," Saffron said walking out of the kitchen with Puddles trailing behind her.

Ashley was sitting on the edge of her bed when Saffron came in. "Did you have a nice visit with Andrew and RJ?"

"Yes," Saffron replied. "It was really good to see them again."

"Did anything happen?" Ashley asked.

Saffron didn't want to think about that hug in the kitchen. It was just two friends comforting each other. It hadn't been more than that, had it?

"They had some of Greta's pancakes," Saffron replied. "And we just talked."

"Oh," Ashley replied.

"Maddie and Ethan and the baby are going shopping with us," Saffron said eager to change the subject.

"Ooooh, really?" Ashley asked. "Cool!"

"I want to find a really great present for my mum," Saffron said.

"I'll help," Ashley said as Saffron put on a little makeup and fixed her hair again.

Downstairs, Hermione and Harry were sitting in front of the tree.

"I don't think it's such a good idea," Harry told his wife. "For her or Ethan to go out."

"We can't keep them cooped up in here," Hermione said.

"I know," Harry said. "I'm just worried, especially for Saffron. You see how fragile she is since all this happened..."

"But getting out and doing something normal will be good for her." Hermione said.

"They might run into someone from the press," Harry said. "You know they're camped out at the front gate."

"We'll get them to the Leaky Cauldron," Hermione stood up. "And stay nearby just in case."

"Okay," Harry relented.

Hermione smiled. "I'll go tell them what the plans are."

Harry watched her go. He knew his wife was right, but he couldn't help feeling that it was too soon for Ethan and Saffy to venture outside.

Slowly he headed upstairs to change into a jumper and grab his cloak.

Saffron was writing a shopping list when her mother knocked on the door.

"Hi sweetheart," Hermione said. "We hope you don't mind, but your dad and I want to tag along while you shop."

"Why would I mind?" Saffron asked smiling at her mother. "The more the merrier, right?"

Hermione was relieved. "Great- we're just going to get ready. Ten minutes?"

"Okay," Saffron replied.

"The group just keeps getting bigger," Ashley joked.

Saffron laughed. "Safety in numbers, Ash."

"Right," Ashley replied, giggling.

Hermione found her husband in their bedroom looking over a letter.

"What do you have there?" Hermione asked.

"Letter from Neville," Harry replied. "Devereaux will officially be brought to Azkaban on Tuesday."

"Good," Hermione said in relief.

"We can put all of this behind us and move on," Harry said handing her the letter.

Hermione nodded as her eyes scanned the note. "I hate him," she said quietly. "Twice now he's almost destroyed our lives."

"We stopped him though," Harry said, trying to reassure her.

"Yes, but Saffron and Ethan missed out on so much because of him," Hermione said angrily. "Time that they can't get back."

"I know," Harry said. "And that makes me so angry I could kill him."

"I'd like to see him," Hermione said quietly. "Before he goes to Azkaban."

"No," Harry said. "Absolutely not."

"I wasn't asking," Hermione said looking at him.

"Hermione--" Harry began.

"I'd like to get some closure," Hermione said. "You were able to get that. Why can't I?"

"Because he's still dangerous," Harry said. "What if he did something to you?"

"You're that worried?" Hermione asked.

"After what he's done?" Harry asked. "You're damn right I'm worried."

"Okay," Hermione said putting her arms around him. "I won't go and see him."

"Good," Harry relaxed.

"We should just put this behind us and move on," Hermione said. "It's the best thing for all of us."

"And that's what we have to keep saying to Saffy and Ethan," Harry nodded.

"Right," Hermione said giving him a kiss. "I love you."

"I love you too," Harry said softly.

"I've missed you," Hermione said resting her forehead on his.

"The past few months have been hard on all of us," Harry said. "Things can finally get back to normal."

"Absolutely," Hermione said. She hated lying to her husband like this. But, she had to see Gordon. She didn't think closure would be possible unless she saw him. Harry wouldn't have to know.

"Come on," Harry said. "Let's go brave the crowds."

"You hate shopping," Hermione reminded him. "You sure you're up for it?"

"Anything to spend time with my family," Harry said.

"I'm going to remind you of that the next time I ask you to go," Hermione said with a grin.

"Yeah, yeah." Harry gave her another kiss.

Maddie, Ethan, and the baby were waiting downstairs.

"One more blanket," Maddie said. "I don't want her to get too cold."

"Okay," Ethan agreed, getting one out of the closet.

Maddie looked down in the pram at their daughter who was looking up at her. "This is your first shopping trip, Kiera."

Ethan laughed. "And I'm sure your mum and your aunts will teach you the finer ways of spending money as you get older."

"We probably need to make sure that she doesn't go shopping with her Aunt Frankie," Maddie joked.

"Yeah right," Ethan kissed Kiera's forehead.

"Julie and Katie are staying behind to wait for Nick?" Maddie asked.

Ethan nodded. "And for her tea party with Blue."

Maddie grinned. "Which he'll love."

Saffron and Ashley came downstairs.

Puddles whimpered at Saffron's feet.

"I promise I'll be right back," Saffron told him. "And we'll go for our walk."

Puddles let out a pitiful whine.

"I'm going to get you a treat," Saffron said kneeling down and petting him.

"I'll go with you," Ashley said.

"Thanks, Ash," Saffron said. "I know how he feels. He's scared I'm not going to come back."

Ashley nodded. "I'm sure that's it, Aunt Saffy. He really missed you."

"I missed him too," Saffron said grabbing the box of dog treats from the cabinet.

Puddles danced around in a circle excitedly as Saffron pulled a biscuit out of the box.

Saffron laughed. "You want this, do you?"

The dog let out a short bark.

Harry and Hermione stood in the doorway watching them.

Saffron laughed as she gave the biscuit to Puddles. "There you go, Pud."

Puddles ate in a second and jumped up against her.

"Is he going to let you go?" Harry asked.

"I don't know," Saffron scratched behind her dog's ears.

"I think we're going to have a great time," Ashley said to her grandparents.

"Me too Ash," Harry said. "And I'm sure Saffron just wants to spend my money, right baby?"

Saffron laughed. "Maybe just a little..."

"Anything you want," Harry said.

"Words you might live to regret, Daddy," Saffron said.

"Never," Harry hugged her tightly.

Hermione grinned. "Let's go."

*** *** ***

Hermione headed back to work a few days later, partly to catch up on a few things before the holidays commenced and partly to go see Gordon Devereaux before he was sent to Azkaban.

She was terrified to see him, but knew she had to do this to get closure. She hadn't told Harry about this. While she understood his concerns, she knew that she would be safe.

She thought about asking Samuel to accompany her, but decided it would be better to go alone.

Gordon was being held in a special cell in the basement of the Ministry. This was where they kept most of the dangerous criminals before they were sent to Azkaban. He was under tight security and a 24-hour guard.

With her clearance as Minister, Hermione was able to go to any part of the building without any questions asked. She hesitantly approached the cell, which was at the end of a long corridor.

He was sitting on the edge of the small cot with his back to her.

Hermione bit her lower lip and took a deep breath. "Gordon," she said, her tone even.

He turned around and a smile broke across his haggard face as he looked at her. "Hermione! My love!"

Hermione crossed her arms. "I am not your love, Gordon."

"You are," Gordon said standing up and slowly walking toward her. "You are. Everything...everything I did...I did for you and our children."

"They are not your children," Hermione refused to let him intimidate her. "They're Harry's and my children."

Gordon shook his head. "No. No, they're mine. I love them all so much because they have so much of you in them. Especially Saffron Grace. She has your spirit and your warmth."

Hermione actually felt sorry for the shadow of a man sitting in front of her. "Gordon... you need help. But now... I pity you because of where you're going."

Gordon vehemently shook his head. "You can't let them take me there, Hermione! I'll never make it!"

"You brought this on yourself," Hermione said. "You caused me so much grief, Gordon."

"It wasn't me," Gordon said looking at her with pleading eyes. "It was him. It was Potter!"

"Harry would never do to anyone what you did, Gordon." Hermione said. "Do you know what it did to me, not knowing where my children were for almost six months?"

"I was keeping them for you," Gordon tried to reason with her. "I was trying to protect them until we could all be together. I didn't hurt them. I would never, ever hurt them, Hermione!"

"Gordon I've never given you any indication that there was anything but friendship between us," Hermione shook her head. "And you ruined that."

"You love me!" Gordon exclaimed. "I know you do! And I love you! More than anything in this world! I did it all for you!"

"Stop it," Hermione said. "Just stop it."

"NO!" Gordon shouted. "NO!"

"I'm leaving," Hermione said. "I just... I wanted to make sure you could never hurt my children again. Ever."

"YOU BITCH!" Gordon shouted at her. "YOU'RE NOTHING BUT A TEASE!"

"SIT DOWN!" Hermione shouted back at him. "YOU ARE A BASTARD!"

Gordon stepped back. "Hermione---"

"You kidnapped me, tried to force yourself on me, tried to take me away from the people I love," Hermione began furiously. "THEN- you take two of my children, with plans to take me and my oldest daughter! And you wonder WHY I can barely stand the sight of you?"

"I did it for you," Gordon said in a small voice.

"No you didn't," Hermione said. "You did it for YOU."

Gordon sank back down on the cot and put his head in his hands. "If you'd stayed in Paris, none of this would have happened. You'd have never met him and we'd have ended up together."

"You don't know that for certain," Hermione told him. "And me staying in Paris had nothing to do with it. We'd have gone to Hillsdale and I'd have met him regardless."

Gordon shook his head. "No, that's not true! How can you defend him? He couldn't find me! He couldn't find them! It took Ethan running away with Saffron for him to find me. Some hero he is, eh?"

"You were one step ahead of us, I'll give you that," Hermione said coldly.

"He never would have found us," Gordon said gleefully. "Never."

Hermione shook her head. "Enjoy Azkaban, Gordon."

"You haven't seen the last of me," Gordon warned.

"You're never getting out," Hermione retorted. "Not this time. The Dementors aren't healers. You can't fool them into thinking you're well like you did."

Gordon put his head in his hands again and Hermione gave him one last look before heading out of the room. She gasped when she saw Harry waiting just outside.

"What are you doing?" Harry asked her coldly.

"I had to... see. For myself," Hermione replied.

"You told me that you wouldn't," Harry said folding his arms.

"I never promised," Hermione said. "And why shouldn't I go see him? I told you, I need some closure too."

"He's a psychopath," Harry said trying very hard to keep his voice down so the guard didn't hear them. "We don't know what he's capable of, Hermione!"

"He's in a cell, protected by wards stronger than anything," Hermione returned.

"What did he say to you?" Harry asked her.

"More of the same," Hermione shook her head. "He's sick."

"I wasn't following you," Harry said. "I was checking in and someone mentioned that you were down here. I just wish you'd told me you were going to do this. We could have gone in there together."

"I wanted to do this by myself," Hermione said. "I needed to be there on my own."

"Why?" Harry asked.

"Because if you were there, all he'd do is be agitated even more," Hermione said.

Harry knew she had a point. "I just--that bastard has caused our family enough pain. I didn't want you to have to go through anymore, Hermione."

"And we won't have to," Hermione reassured him. "There's no way he's getting out this time."

"Absolutely not," Harry agreed, putting his arms around her.

Hermione sighed. "I spoke to those healers whose care he was under. He really had them snowed. Five years... FIVE years, he made them think he was sane before they let him out."

"He knew all the right things to say and all the right things to do," Harry said thoughtfully. "He played them."

Hermione nodded. "He's good at that."

"Are you okay?" Harry asked her. "Did you get what you needed?"

"I think so," Hermione nodded.

"Let's get out of here," Harry told her. "It's depressing."

"Yes it is," she followed her husband upstairs. "How's Saffy today?"

"She was crying this morning," Harry said. "In the kitchen. I asked her what was wrong and she told me nothing."

Hermione frowned. "I'm going home to see her."

"I'm going to take the next couple of weeks off," Harry said. "I think it's important that we spend it with her."

Hermione nodded. "Yes, I agree."

"You said that Pansy recommended she see someone," Harry said.

"I'm really starting to think she needs to," Hermione sighed. "I thought she just would open up to us."

"If she'd talk to anyone, it would be you," Harry said. "Maybe you could give it another try."

"All right," Hermione said.

"She's always been able to talk to you about everything," Harry said squeezing Hermione's hand.

"We have to be patient with her," Hermione said. "She's lost a lot, Harry."

Harry nodded. "We'll give her all the time she needs."

Hermione smiled. "And we'll make sure she knows she can talk to us anytime she feels like it."

"Do you need to go upstairs?" Harry asked her. "Or are you ready to go?"

"I need to get my things from my office," Hermione answered. "We can Floo back from there."

"Sounds good," Harry said.

Hermione gave him another kiss. "I love you."

"I love you too," Harry said softly.

"Let's go see our little girl," Hermione closed her eyes and rested against him for a moment.

A few minutes later, they were back home. Julie, Nick and the girls were in the sitting room.

"Mum, Dad," Julie said. "What are you doing home?"

"We decided to come home early," Harry answered. "Where's your sister, Jules?"

"In the kitchen with Greta," Julie replied. "They're making biscuits."

"How was she?" Hermione asked.

"Quiet," Julie replied.

"I'm going to go see her," Hermione headed for the kitchen.

Saffron was standing at the counter, absently stirring something in a bowl.

"Hermione," Greta said warmly.

"Hi Greta," Hermione replied. "It smells wonderful in here."

"I think we need some more raisins," Saffron said to Greta.

"They're just up in the cupboard," Hermione said. "I'll get them."

Saffron stifled a yawn. She hadn't slept at all last night for fear that she'd have another nightmare.

"How are you, sweetheart?" Hermione smoothed her daughter's hair back.

"Fine," Saffron said forcing a smile. "What are you doing home?"

"Your father and I finished up early," Hermione said.

"Oh," Saffron said taking the raisins from her mother. "That's good. We can wrap the presents like we planned."

Hermione smiled. "I'd like that." She looked over at Greta. "Greta, would you mind giving Saffron and me a moment?"

"Of course," Greta answered. "I'll just be in the sitting room. Saffy, you can put those biscuits in the oven for me."

"Okay," Saffron said continuing to stir the batter.

Hermione sat down. "Sweetheart, your father told me that you were crying this morning."

Saffron sighed. "I'm fine."

"Saffy," Hermione said. "We're worried about you."

Saffron shrugged. "There's nothing anyone can do."

"We can help you," Hermione said. "You went through a very traumatic experience."

Saffron didn't answer.

"No one could go through what you and Ethan went through and not change in some way," Hermione continued. "Ethan seems to be adjusting but you've..."

"I'm not the golden child, okay?" Saffron snapped/

Hermione was taken aback at Saffron's tone. "Saffron--"

"You guys don't know what it was like, okay?" Saffron asked tearfully. "You don't know what it was like sitting in that horrible room, not knowing what was going to come of you."

Hermione came up behind her daughter and put her hand on her daughter's shoulder. "I do know what that was like, Saffron. More than anyone."

227. Chapter 227

Authors’ note: We hope you like the latest chapter! Thanks for reading!

"How do you know?" Saffron wiped her eyes.

"Let's sit down," Hermione said. "There's something I should have told you a long time ago."

Saffron sat down as her mother gave her a tissue.

"Gordon and I were at school together," Hermione began. "He and I were kind of outcasts. We didn't fit into any one group so we kind of came together. He seemed to like all the things I liked. He was well-read, intelligent and he wasn't into superficial things like so many of our fellow students were."

"You were friends?" Saffron asked. "Really?"

Hermione nodded. "He could be very charming. He left school just before we graduated. I didn't know why at the time, but I knew that I missed my friend."

"How come he changed so much?" Saffron asked.

"I'm not really sure," Hermione said. "But, I didn't see him again until just after your father and I moved in together. I was about to start University and we ran into him in a book shoppe."

"Daddy didn't like him did he?" Saffron asked perceptively.

Hermione shook her head. "No, he didn't. He's just as perceptive as you are. Looking back now, I wish I'd have paid attention."

"What did Gordon do to you?" Saffron asked.

"Well, he managed to enroll in the same classes as me," Hermione told her. "We became good friends again. But, he kept showing up at the wrong moments. It got on your father's nerves. I thought it was just jealousy."

Hermione looked down at the table. Dredging up these memories was painful.

"Your father had his suspicions though," Hermione continued. "He asked Luna to look into his past. He found out that Gordon had stolen some answers from a professor at Beauxbatons. One of our classmates caught him."

"What did he do?" Saffron asked with wide eyes.

"He attacked her and took her memories," Hermione said, tears welling up in her eyes. "But that wasn't even the worst of it. He did the same thing to his parents. But, he told me that they'd never understood him so he hadn't spoken to him in years. Your father found out that they were in a hospital under assumed names."

Saffron gasped. "He did that to his own parents?"

Hermione nodded. "They were clinically insane. I found out what he'd done and refused to speak to him anymore."

"That must have made him crazy," Saffron said.

"To say the least," Hermione said. "You remember my old friend, Anna, right?"

"Lizzy's mum," Saffron nodded.

"Well, he ambushed us one night after classes," Hermione remembered. "He memory charmed Anna and he took me away, just like he did you. I woke up not knowing where I was or what had happened to Anna. I'd never been more terrified in my life."

"Mum," Saffron whispered. "I didn't know..."

"I should have told you about this," Hermione said squeezing her daughter's hand. "But it's not something I like to think about. I--I thought he was going to rape me."

"Sometimes I thought that too," Saffron admitted.

"Oh, sweetheart," Hermione said. "I'm so sorry that I brought him into our lives. I never wanted this to happen to you."

"I don’t blame you for a moment, Mum." Saffron threw herself into Hermione's arms.

Hermione held her daughter tightly. "I'm so sorry, baby. I'm so very sorry. I love you so much."

"I love you too," Saffron pressed her face into her mother's shoulder. "I thought about you and Daddy all the time while I was there."

"We would have gone to the ends of the earth to find you and Ethan," Hermione said. "We searched every single day, sweetheart. It killed your father inside that he couldn't find you."

"I feel bad that I sort of blamed him," Saffron said. "I just was so angry that he couldn't find us."

"He was just as angry at himself," Hermione told her.

Saffron sniffed. "I don't mean to push you guys away."

"Its okay," Hermione said brushing back her daughter's hair. "We love you. We want to be here for you."

"I know," Saffron said.

"And I'm taking the next couple of weeks off to spend it with my family," Hermione said. "I might even try my hands at baking again..."

"Uh oh," Saffron smiled. "Me and Greta have our work cut out for us again."

"I'm a quick study," Hermione said defensively. "I might surprise you."

"Well I'd be happy to teach you," Saffron hugged her mother again.

"That's my sweet girl," Hermione said kissing the top of Saffron's head.

"I love you and Daddy so, so much." Saffron said.

"We love you too," Harry said standing in the doorway.

Saffron hurried over to him. "I didn't know what Gordon did to Mum. I didn't know that he kidnapped her too."

"He did," Harry said putting his arms around her. "She knows what you went through, Saffy."

"I just feel like nothing will ever be the same anymore," Saffron said.

"Going through something like that does change you," Harry said. "I want nothing more than to go back in time to prevent this from happening, but I can't. But, I do know that I love you and that I will be here for you to help you through this."

"I know," Saffron nodded. "I'll try not to shut you guys out."

"And you can always talk to Ethan," Hermione said. "He was right there with you."

"I just kept thinking... what if he gets Jules... what if he gets Mum?" Saffron said. "I hated not knowing what was going to happen."

"So did we," Harry said. "And he seemed to be two steps ahead all the time."

"Except when he left me alone with the owls," Saffron said.

"You were brilliant," Harry grinned down at her. "I was so proud of you for doing that, Saffy."

Saffron stood up a little straighter. "You are?"

"Absolutely," Harry said. "If you hadn't done that, I'd have still been looking at Dolohov. You were so brave."

"Thanks Dad," Saffron hugged him. "I needed to hear that."

"You would have made a fine Auror," Harry said.

"Maybe if it weren't for Quidditch," Saffron admitted.

"Maybe you and I can go flying later," Harry suggested. "It's cold out, but the weather's perfect for it."

"Okay," Saffron agreed.

"She's going to teach me to bake first," Hermione said walking over to the counter. She picked up a wooden spoon and began stirring the batter.

"That may take the rest of the year," Harry quipped.

"Just for that, you aren't getting any biscuits," Hermione said sticking her tongue out at him.

"That's okay," Harry grinned back at her.

"He's talking like that because he thinks I'll ruin the batch," Hermione said.

"Not with me helping you," Saffron said.

"This I have to see," Harry said.

"Out," Hermione told him.

"Go," Saffron said pointing to the door. "We have serious baking to do."

"I'm being kicked out?" Harry pretended to be outraged.

"I wouldn't say kicked out," Saffron said thoughtfully.

"What do you call it?" Harry asked.

"Being asked to politely vacate the premises?" Saffron asked with a grin.

Harry smiled, glad to see his daughter's spirits up again. "You just let me know when you're ready to fly, sweetheart."

"Deal," Saffron said.

Hermione looked at her daughter. "So what do we do now? Put them on that ...sheet there?"

"The baking sheet," Saffron nodded. "Good, Mum."

Hermione laughed. "You know your father took me flying right after I came home. After that whole thing with Gordon..."

"He did?" Saffron asked.

"He did," Hermione said as she and Saffron rolled the dough into little balls. "And you know it took a lot to get me on broom."

"Dad's pretty persuasive," Saffron agreed.

"He can be," Hermione said. "It was the first time I ever liked flying. I was scared, but I felt safe up there with your dad."

"He'd always keep you safe, Mum." Saffron said.

"I know," Hermione said with a smile. "It's one of the many things I love about him."

"He wouldn't have let anything happen to you," Saffron said.

"He would do anything to protect all of us," Hermione agreed.

"He's the best," Saffron said.

Saffron took the baking sheet and put it in the oven. She set the timer and grinned at her mother.

"I thought I was supposed to do that," Hermione said.

"Baby steps, Mum," Saffron said.

"That goes for you too," Hermione put an arm around her. "You know you can stay here with us as long as you want, and we'll do anything we can to help you with this."

"Thanks, Mum," Saffron said leaning against her.

"Love you, baby." Hermione kissed the top of her head.

"I've really liked having everyone around like this," Saffron said. "It seems like old times."

"Yes it does," Hermione agreed.

"I wish it could stay like this," Saffron said softly.

"Me too," Hermione smoothed back her hair. "But it's going to get better, sweetheart. Once the holidays are over, you can begin your Quidditch career."

Saffron nodded. "Yeah."

"Do you still want that?" Hermione asked.

"It's all I've ever wanted," Saffron said looking away. "But--"

"But what, sweetheart?" Hermione asked as they sat down.

"I don't know if I can put it into words," Saffron said quietly.

"Just tell me the best way you know how," Hermione told her.

"I'm scared to death," Saffron admitted. "I'm scared that I'm not going to be able to do it, Mum. What if I get out there and fall flat on my face? I've never doubted myself before, but now..."

"You still have no reason to doubt yourself," Hermione told her firmly.

"But I do," Saffron said. "I haven't flown since this all happened. Those blokes on the team are going to expect me to be on my game, Mum."

"RJ said he'd be happy to help you," Hermione said. "I'm sure you can practise with him and Andrew. Your father and Ethan would be more than willing to help you... get on your game."

"Maybe," Saffron said with a shrug.

"You do whatever you need to do," Hermione said.

"Jules said I should just take things one day at a time," Saffron said.

"That's very good advice." Hermione nodded.

Saffron grinned. "I'll try."

"That's my girl," Hermione kissed her forehead.

"I don't know what I'd do without you, Mum," Saffron said.

"I don't know what I'd do without you either, baby." Hermione said fondly.

"We're survivors," Saffron said softly.

"Yes we are," Hermione nodded. "Strong survivors."

"I'm glad that you told me what happened to you," Saffron said.

"I should have told you awhile ago," Hermione replied. "But I never thought this could happen."

"Knowing that you were able to put that behind you gives me hope," Saffron said thoughtfully. "You're the strongest person I know."

"I have to be," Hermione said as her daughter peeked into the oven.

"I can't even imagine what this was like for you," Saffron said. "I mean, you were worried about Ethan and me and then Gran..."

"It hasn't been an easy six months," Hermione shook her head.

"Gran loved you so much," Saffron said. "She was always telling me how proud she was of you."

"She was proud of you too," Hermione said as she levitated the tray out of the oven.

Saffron smiled. "She was so easy to talk to."

"Yes she was," Hermione said wistfully.

"The biscuits look good," Saffron said.

"Yes they do," Hermione nodded. "I say we have a taste test."

Saffron grinned. "They're going to be hot."

"That's the best way to eat them, right?" Hermione asked.

"That's what Greta always says," Saffron said. "I've really liked having her here."

"Me too," Hermione replied.

Saffron took a biscuit from the baking sheet and took a bite. "Mmmmmmm."

"Very good," Hermione agreed.

"I smell fresh biscuits," Julie said appearing in the doorway with Ashley and Katie.

"You're just in time," Saffron said. "Mum even helped me, and they're delicious."

"Grandma did?" Katie asked doubtfully.

"Trust me," Saffron said, holding one out to her.

Katie stepped forward and took the biscuit. She took a small bite. "Oh..."

"Good, eh?" Saffron nodded. "Told you."

Katie nodded. "They're really good."

Hermione beamed. "Thank you!"

Saffron put her arm around her mother. "I'm going to teach her everything I know."

Julie smiled at her mother and sister.

"I still have a ways to go," Hermione said. "I didn't actually make the dough. But, this is a good start."

"Yes it is," Julie put an arm around each of them. "Maybe you can help me next."

Saffron looked sideways at her sister. "Jules, there isn't enough time in the world to do that."

"Very funny," Julie replied.

"Three more days to Christmas," Katie announced happily. "I cannot wait!"

Ashley nodded. "I'm so happy that we all get to be together."

"Maybe you'll stop listening to that CD all the time," Katie grumbled.

"What's wrong with listening to the CD Zander made for me?" Ashley asked.

"You listen to it all the time," Katie said rolling her eyes.

"You were the same way about that Serena Starr CD," Ashley pointed out. "And she has no talent."

"I think it's really cool that Zander wrote a song for Ashley," Saffron said.

Katie took another biscuit. "Whatever."

"Katie," Julie said reprovingly. "It's a beautiful song."

"It doesn't have any words," Katie said.

"It doesn't need them," Ashley said defensively.

"Some of your father's songs don't have words either," Julie pointed out. "And you like them."

"I like the ones with words better," Katie folded her arms.

"Does Zander want to pursue a career in music?" Saffron asked her oldest niece.

Ashley nodded. "I think so."

"I'm going to be a singer, actress, model and princess," Katie announced loftily.

"Good luck with that," Ashley rolled her eyes.

"I am," Katie said glaring at her. "And all my songs will have words."

"Good for you," Ashley retorted, grabbing her sketchbook and heading out of the room.

She had a feeling that her sister was jealous because for once the attention wasn't on her. Ashley loved her sister, but sometimes her patience wore thin.

She sat down, put her ear buds in and began to sketch while she listened to her song again.

Without realising it, she started sketching her best friend.

His face was as familiar now to her as her own father's. Her pencil flew across the paper effortlessly.

She wondered what he and Brittany were doing at that moment.

She thought perhaps maybe she would ring them and see if they wanted to come over. Brittany loved it when Ashley brought her to the minister's mansion.

Katie came back into the sitting room and rolled her eyes when she saw her sister was listening to her CD again.

"So boring," she muttered, sitting down by the tree.

Everyone was making such a big deal out of one stupid song. It wasn't even a real song. It didn't have words!

Ashley pointedly ignored Katie as the younger girl began shaking the presents under the tree, trying to figure out what each one was.

Katie turned around and looked at her sister. "What are you drawing?"

"Zander," Ashley answered.

"Can I see?" Katie asked.

Ashley looked at her warily. "Sure..."

Katie took the sketchpad from her sister and looked at it. "That looks like him."

"It's a portrait, that's why," Ashley pulled her ear buds out.

"Who do you like better?" Katie asked. "Brittany or Zander?"

"What?" Ashley asked.

"Who do you like best?" Katie asked handing the sketchpad back to her sister. "I like Brittany best."

"They're both my friends," Ashley said. "My best friends."

"But you have to like somebody best," Katie pointed out. "And Zander's a boy."

"What's your point?" Ashley asked.

"You can't have a best friend who is a boy," Katie said as if the answer should have been obvious.

"Why not?" Ashley asked. "Lots of people have best friends that are the opposite gender."

"Grandpa and Aunt Cho?" Katie asked. "Like that?"

"Right," Ashley answered.

"Do you know what I heard?" Katie asked with a grin. "Aunt Cho used to be his girlfriend!"

"Whatever, Katie," Ashley put her ear buds back in.

"I think it's pretty cool," Katie said rolling her eyes at her sister. She could be so boring.

Saffron came into the room. "Have you two seen my dad? We're supposed to go flying."

"He's in his office," Katie said.

"Thanks," Saffron headed down the corridor.

She knocked on his office door. "Dad?"

Harry looked up. "Hi baby. You done baking with your mum? I don't smell smoke..."

"She did great," Saffron said. "And I even brought you some as a peace offering."

"They're edible?" Harry asked in surprise.

"Try one and see," Saffron said offering him the plate.

Harry nodded as he bit into the biscuit. "Very, very good."

"Told you," Saffron said grinning at him.

Harry ruffled her hair. "Are you ready to go flying?"

"I think so," Saffron said. "If you're not busy."

"Never too busy for you," Harry set down his quill.

"What were you working on?" she asked curiously.

"I have to prepare a statement about what happened when Neville and I were in Hogsmeade," Harry said. "I... sort of went a bit mad on a shop owner."

"Ethan and I heard about that," Saffron said softly. "He---Gordon---he took great pleasure in letting us hear that on the Wireless."

"I bet he did," Harry said grimly.

"They dropped the charges, though, right?" Saffron asked.

"I still have to pay a settlement," Harry said. "For his hospital bills... and a little hush money."

"I'm sorry," Saffron said.

"It's okay," Harry said. "I'd pay everything I have to have you home."

Saffron smiled at him. "I love you, Daddy."

Harry hugged her tightly. "I love you too, baby."

"I always feel safe with you," Saffron told him. "I just wanted you to know that."

"I always want you to feel that way," Harry told her. "Because I'm never letting anything happen to you again."

"Thanks, Daddy," Saffron said looking up at him.

"Ready to get back up in the air then?" he asked her.

"Come on, Old Man," Saffron said. "I might be able to teach you a few things."

Harry scoffed. "That'll be the day."

"Let me just get my broom," Saffron said.

"Check the front closet," Harry said. "There might just be a special homecoming gift for you in there."

Saffron stopped in her tracks and turned around to look at him. "Daddy? You didn't---"

Harry only grinned at her.

Saffron hurried downstairs and opened the front closet.

"OH MY GOD!" She shrieked at the top of her lungs. "YOU GOT ME THE SIDEWINDER 6000!"

Hermione ran out of the kitchen with Julie on her heels. "Saffron, what on earth?"

"LOOK!" Saffron pulled out the broom. "Look what Daddy got me!"

Julie laughed. "I think she likes it, Dad."

"I love it!" Saffron said. "Thank you so, so much!"

Saffron hugged her father.

"I was going to wait for Christmas, but I thought now was as good a time as any," Harry said.

"I think it's a perfect time," Hermione agreed.

"I got Ethan one too," Harry said. "But he doesn't know it yet."

"He'll be so excited," Saffron said. "Come on Dad. I want to go try this out."

"Get your cloak!" Hermione called after her. "It's cold out!"

"We've got them," Harry replied. "Don't worry."

"I think that's just what the healer ordered," Julie said to her mother after Harry and Saffron had walked out of the house.

"Well I know I can't watch," Hermione said. "I don't know how I'm going to handle seeing her up there playing Quidditch."

Julie nodded. "Me, either. But, she's only been injured that one time when she was at Hogwarts. She's fearless up there, but she's also careful."

"That's my baby," Hermione smiled.

"I'm so happy that they're both home," Julie said. "Safe and sound."

"Me too," Hermione replied. "And I love watching Ethan with Kiera."

"I know," Julie smiled. "I still see him walking in here and seeing Maddie with her for the first time..."

"His eyes just lit up when he realised who she was," Hermione said.

"They did," Julie said. She followed her mother back into the kitchen. "I noticed there was a little tension between you and Dad. Is everything okay?"

Hermione nodded. "Fine now."

"Good," Julie said. "This hasn't been easy on you, either."

"None of us," Hermione said. "And I was so preoccupied with getting them home that I didn't think of what it would be like afterwards."

"I'm sure it helped Saffron to hear that you went through something similar," Julie said thoughtfully.

"I hope so," Hermione answered.

"I understand why you didn't tell us," Julie said. "I can't imagine what that was like."

"I should have told you," Hermione said. "I should have told all of you ages ago."

"It's okay, Mum," Julie said squeezing her hand. "It doesn't sound like something you'd want to relive. Besides...you thought he was safely tucked away at St. Mungos."

"Well I know for sure he's not getting out of Azkaban," Hermione's eyes narrowed.

"You saw him, didn't you?" Julie asked. "Today?"

"This morning," Hermione nodded.

"How was that?" Julie asked.

"He's a sick man," Hermione's eyes focused on something faraway. "He seemed to forget all the time that's passed since we saw each other last."

"Saffy said he kept calling her by your name and confusing the times," Julie said shuddering.

"I'd be worried if he wasn't going to Azkaban," Hermione said. "But he'll never get past the Dementors."

"They said that about Sirius Black," Julie said.

"Gordon's not an Animagus," Hermione answered. "He won't be able to sneak past them."

"Thank Merlin for that," Julie said. "I think we've been through enough."

"Which is why I'm looking forward to a nice, quiet Christmas," Hermione sat back down at the table.

"Nice shouldn't be hard," Julie said with a grin. "But quiet..."

"That's true," Hermione smiled.

"Mum?" Ashley asked coming into the kitchen.

"Yes, sweetheart?" Julie asked.

"I was just on the phone with Brittany," Ashley said. "And she wanted to know if I could go over to her house?"

"Sure," Julie said. "I'll take you over."

Ashley grinned. "Thanks Mum."

Hermione smiled as Ashley ran out of the room. "I'm glad she's got such good friends."

"The three of them are inseparable," Julie told her mother.

"Ashley had me listen to the song Zander wrote," Hermione said. "I was very impressed.

"Can you believe that?" Julie asked. "He's 12."

"What did Nick think of it?" Hermione asked.

"He was very impressed," Julie replied. "Poor Zander was a little nervous the first time he had to play in front of Nick."

"Understandable," Hermione got up to make some tea.

At the Murray house, Brittany wore a great big smile when she came downstairs. Her cousin and his family were staying at her house for the holiday. "What are you up to?" Brittany asked her cousin, who still wore his pyjamas and was playing a video game.

"I'm almost at the next level," Zander said his eyes on the telly.

"Oh," Brittany said plopping down on the sofa. "You've been playing that all morning."

"This is the furthest I’ve ever gotten," he replied distractedly.

Brittany picked up the game box. "Ninja Death Warrior III? That's totally barbaric!"

Zander rolled his eyes. "Get out of the way, Brit."

"Fine," Brittany said sitting back down on the sofa beside him. She watched the game. "Why did you hit that bloke in the black?"

"To get his weapon," Zander said impatiently.

"What was his weapon?" Brittany asked. "And why did you take it from him? I mean, he wasn't doing anything to you. The poor guy was just standing in that field..."

"He had an axe, which I need to get into the castle," Zander explained.

"Why do you need to get into the castle?" Brittany asked.

Zander sighed. "Brit- just watch and you'll see."

The fireplace roared to life and Ashley and Julie Malfoy appeared a few moments later.

Zander was so startled he dropped his game control.

"Hey, Ash!" Brittany exclaimed. "You're early!"

"Sorry," Ashley gave her a hug. "I was already dressed."

"Hello, Zander," Julie said to the young boy who was trying to back out of the room. He didn't know Ashley was stopping by and if he had known, he would have gotten dressed.

"Hello, professor," Zander's face was beet red. "H--hi Ash."

"Hi," Ashley gave him a wave. "It's so good to see you!"

"You too," Zander said. "I'll uh... I'll just... I um.... I'll be back..."

Brittany, Ashley and Julie watched as he hurried out of the room.

"He's been playing some stupid video game all morning," Brittany told her friend.

Ashley grinned. "Sounds like fun."

"I'll come back for you in a couple of hours," Julie told her daughter.

"Thanks Mum," Ashley gave her a hug.

"Thanks for letting her come over," Brittany said.

"Anytime," Julie smiled.

Brittany grabbed her friend's hand. This was the first time Ashley had ever been here. "Wait until you see our tree!"

"I can't wait," Ashley said happily. "And I can't wait to tell you all about having my aunt and uncle home."

Brittany grinned. "I'll give you the grand tour. This of course is our sitting room. There's the tree. We just put it up last night."

"It's gorgeous," Ashley said. "You guys did a great job!"

Brittany grinned. "I did the angel of course!"

"Of course," Ashley grinned at her.

"Let me show you our kitchen," Brittany said. "And you can say hi to my mum and Zander's parents. My dad's at work."

"Okay," Ashley agreed.

"Hi, Mum," Brittany said when she led Ashley into the kitchen. "Ash, you know Aunt Meredith. And that is my Uncle Heath."

Ashley smiled at the man who looked like an older version of Zander. "It's nice to meet you, Mr. Murray."

"Ah, this is the famous Ashley," Zander's father shook her hand. "It's lovely to meet you as well."

Ashley blushed.

"We're so happy you could come by and keep our Brit company," Meredith Murray said. "My son has been glued to the telly since we arrived."

"With that stupid game," Brittany moaned.

"It's not stupid," Zander said coming into the kitchen. He was wearing a pair of jeans and a Puddlemere sweatshirt.

Ashley grinned at him. "Hey."

"Hey," Zander said. "Sorry about before."

"It's okay," Ashley said. "They were cute pyjamas."

Zander turned bright red.

Brittany giggled. "Uncle Heath, can you make us some hot chocolate?"

"Of course," he said. "Coming right up."

"Come on," Brittany said linking her arm in Ashley's. "I'll show you upstairs."

"Sure," Ashley was eager to see her friend's home.

"It's not as big as your house," Brittany warned her.

"That doesn't matter," Ashley said as Zander followed her and Brittany upstairs.

"Well, it's just Mum, Dad and me so we don't need anything too big," Brittany said.

"I think it's totally perfect," Ashley told her.

Brittany beamed at her. "Well, this room is where Zander's staying."

"It's a little messy right now," Zander said, pushing by them to shove a pile of clothes aside.

"Zander, it's okay," Ashley tried to reassure him. "I live with Katie."

"True," he smiled at her.

Ashley noticed his broom in the corner. "My aunt just got a new racing broom. It's um...what was the name of it....it's the newest, fastest one out there...at least that's what my Grandpa said."

"The Sidewinder 6000?" Zander's eyes grew wide. "NO WAY!"

Ashley giggled. "You reacted just like she did."

"That's amazing," Zander said. "I've been dying just to lay my eyes on that broom!"

"If you come over, you can see it," Ashley told him.

"Let's go right now," Zander replied.

"No," Brittany said firm. "I'm not going to watch you drool over some broom all day. We're staying here and we're going to have fun."

"Doing what?" Zander smirked.

"Loads of things," Brittany said. "Now, I'll show you my room..."

"The Princess Palace," Zander whispered to Ashley.

"I heard that," Brittany said over her shoulder.

Ashley giggled as she followed her friends.

Brittany opened the door to her room and stood back so Ashley could enter.

"It's so... pink!" Ashley looked around.

"It is my signature colour," Brittany said proudly.

"It's too girly for me," Zander complained.

Brittany rolled her eyes. "Well, I am a girl."

"As if we didn't know," Zander retorted.

Ashley grinned. The room reminded her very much of Katie's back home. No wonder Katie liked Brittany so much.

"Well here's one of my early Christmas presents," Brittany showed Ashley the pink telly her parents had given her.

"Oh wow," Ashley said. "That's cool!"

"I get all sorts of channels," Brittany told her. "I was up so late last night watching films."

"And you have a go at me for playing video games," Zander muttered.

"Films are way better," Brittany informed him.

Zander's father called out that the hot chocolate was ready.

"I'll go and get it," Brittany said. "Stay right here!"

Ashley looked over at Zander. "I've been listening to that CD almost all the time."

Zander grinned. "Really?"

"Everyone thinks it's so cool," Ashley said.

"You---you let other people hear it?" Zander asked taken aback.

"A few," Ashley said. "Why?"

Zander shrugged. "No reason. It's just strange to think of other people listening to something I wrote."

"Well my family thinks you're really, really talented," Ashley told him.

Zander sat down on the edge of his cousin's bed. "Thanks, Ash."

"How have your holidays been so far?" Ashley sat next to him. "Mine have been great- especially since my aunt and uncle are home."

"Mine have been good," Zander said. He was glad to see his friend happy again. She'd had a tough time these last few months. "I've enjoyed my Snape-free existence."

Ashley laughed. "Me too."

"Says his favourite student," Zander said nudging her.

"Oh please," Ashley nudged him back.

"Teacher's pet," Zander teased.

"You're just jealous," Ashley retorted playfully.

"Ah?" Zander asked. "Is that it? Well, I will have you know that the Fat Lady told me just the other day that I was her favourite Gryffindor."

"She told me that the day we left," Ashley replied, poking him.

"Oh," Zander laughed. "You're taking away my glory, Malfoy? Well, I just might have to do something about that!"

"Like what?" Ashley asked with a grin.

"Like this," Zander said tickling her. "And maybe this..."

"Zander!" Ashley started giggling. "Stop!"

"Oh no," Zander said shaking his head, lunging for her again.

"Oh no!" Ashley grabbed for his hands.

"Ashley Malfoy, are you playing dirty?" Zander asked trying to break free.

"Maybe," Ashley said with a teasing grin.

Zander laughed. "Truce?"

"I'm not sure if I can trust you," Ashley raised her eyebrow.

"I'm your best mate," Zander said innocently.

"Yes, you are," Ashley said, releasing his hands.

Zander grinned and looked at her. It was hard not to look at her.

"So tell me more about this game Brit says you're so obsessed with," Ashley said.

"Ninja Death Warrior III," Zander told her. "And I'm not obsessed."

"That's why you were still in your pyjamas?" Ashley asked.

"Okay," Zander admitted sheepishly. "I might be a little obsessed."

"It's okay," Ashley said. "I'm that way with drawing."

"Have you drawn anything lately?" Zander asked.

She thought about the picture she'd drawn of him. "Not anything special," she lied, her cheeks turning a bit pink.

"And I'm sure it's been great having your aunt and uncle home," Zander said.

"That's the best," Ashley nodded.

"And Katie?" Zander asked. "Is she still driving you mad?"

"Always," Ashley nodded.

Brittany came back in carrying a tray of hot chocolate and biscuits.

"Yum," Ashley said. "That smells delicious!"

"I thought we could stay up here," Brittany said.

"Works for me," Zander said and Ashley nodded in agreement.

"What were you two up to while I was gone?" Brittany asked.

"Just talking," Zander said quickly.

"I'm just so happy that things will get back to normal now," Brittany said. "I hated seeing Ash so sad."

"Me too," Zander smiled at his friend.

"Thanks for standing by me," Ashley said to them. "I wouldn't have made it through without you both."

"Of course you would have," Brittany said. "You have your family."

"But, I had you guys at school," Ashley pointed out. "You're my best friends."

"Always, Ash," Zander grinned at her.

Ashley impulsively leaned forward and gave him a hug.

Zander turned a bright red.

Brittany looked knowingly at her cousin.

"You guys really are the best," Ashley said gratefully.

"I am," Brittany said dryly. "Zander, on the other hand..."

"Shut up Brit," Zander glared at her, afraid of what she was going to say.

"How about we watch that film now?" Ashley suggested.

"Sure," Zander said quickly. "What were we going to see?"

"Nothing with explosions," Brittany told him.

"How come?" Zander asked. "Those are the best kinds."

"No, they aren't," Brittany argued. "I say we watch something romantic."

"How about something funny?" Ashley suggested. "As a compromise."

"Good idea," Zander said.

"Okay," Brittany relented. She picked a movie from her collection and put it into the player.

Ashley sat back and felt happier than she could remember being in months.

Zander sat down next to her, as close as he could without making Ashley or his cousin suspicious.

He had thought that perhaps spending time away from his friend during the holiday might make those feelings go away. But, one look at her and they were as strong as ever. He didn't know what to make of them. He'd never felt this way about a girl before.

"Wake up," Brittany nudged him. "The movie's about to start."

"I'm awake," Zander muttered.

"You're in La La Land," Brittany teased.

"You're the queen of La La Land," Zander countered.

"You're the king AND court jester," Brittany returned.

"Very funny, Brit," Zander said. "And very mature."

"You guys are just like me and Katie," Ashley told them.

"We're not that bad, are we?" Brittany asked with a grin.

"Getting there," Ashley joked.

"It wouldn't be like that if SOMEONE wasn't so annoying," Brittany said.

"Look who's talking," Zander groaned. "Ash, she wanted to dye my hair yesterday."

"Dye your hair?" Ashley asked. "What for?"

"I think he could use some highlights," Brittany said.

Zander rolled his eyes. "I don't even know what that is."

"It's like... when you put blond streaks in your hair," Ashley tried to explain.

Zander shook his head. "No. No. No."

"They would look so, so good!" Brittany pleaded.

"I like his hair just as it is," Ashley commented.

Zander blushed again. "Thanks, Ash."

Brittany knew she wouldn't be able to convince her cousin now.

"Let's just watch the movie," Zander said, trying not to appear so flustered.

"Okay," Brittany said. "But just think about it..."

"No!" Zander said vehemently.

"Alright," Brittany said rolling her eyes.

"Let's just watch the movie," Ashley repeated what Zander had said, patting his hand reassuringly.

Again, Zander blushed, but thankfully neither Brittany nor Ashley saw it.

The three of them watched the film, talking, eating and drinking their hot chocolate. Ashley was glad to spend the time with her friends.

She knew that she probably wouldn't get to see them again until after Christmas. As if reading her mind, Brittany spoke.

"I just had another brilliant idea!" Brittany exclaimed.

"What?" Ashley asked.

"New Year's Eve," Brittany said excitedly. "We should have a sleepover."

"I'll ask my mum and dad when I get home," Ashley said enthusiastically. "That would be SO much fun!"

"We can do each other's hair and paint our nails and watch movies and eat rubbish," Brittany told her.

"Well count me out," Zander said grumpily. "No way am I doing THAT!"

"I'm not much for painting my nails, Brit," Ashley said, not wanting her other friend to be excluded. "I have a lot of board games at home. I could bring them over and we can play those. There's this really cool Muggle one called Twister."

"What do you do?" Zander asked interestedly.

"Well, it's hard to explain," Ashley said. "But, there's this big mat with coloured dots on it and you take turns spinning and when it lands on a colour, you have to put your hand or foot on the corresponding colour. You'd like it."

"Definitely bring that," Brittany nodded.

"It's going to be a blast," Ashley said. "And I might let Zander teach me how to play Ninja Death Warrior."

Zander grinned. "You really want to know how to play?"

"Why not?" Ashley asked. "I might be good."

"You won't be able to beat me," he said.

"You never know," Ashley said with a grin. "I'm a quick study."

"We'll see," Zander replied.

"I'll paint my nails then while you two do that," Brittany announced.

"Sounds good to me," Zander rolled his eyes at her.

"Your parents can't possibly say no," Brittany said confidently.

"I'm sure they'll let me come," Ashley replied. "I'll ring you soon as I get permission."

"Let's go downstairs," Brittany said. "Your mum will be coming any minute to take you back."

"Seems like I just got here," Ashley commented as they headed for the sitting room.

"I know," Brittany agreed.

"I can get back to Ninja Death Warrior now," Zander said in satisfaction.

"And all was right with the world," Brittany said sarcastically.

Julie was already in the sitting room talking to Brittany's mother.

"Hi Mum," Ashley said. "Brit wants to know if we can have a sleepover on New Year's Eve."

"I was going to ask you," Brittany told her mother. "Please? We'll be good and keep things clean?"

"I think that can be arranged," Brittany's mother smiled.

Julie grinned. She could tell her daughter really wanted to do this. "Okay then. Looks as if you have New Year's plans, Miss Malfoy."

"Thanks Mum," Ashley hugged her.

"Thanks, Professor Malfoy," Zander said.

"We should get back," Julie told her daughter. "Dinner's about ready."

"Okay," Ashley nodded. She turned to her friends. "I hope you both have a Happy Christmas."

"You too Ash," Brittany gave her a hug. "I'm glad you came over today."

"Me too," Ashley said. "I had a great time."

"Thanks for getting me out of that highlighting thing," Zander said quietly to Ashley.

"What are friends for?" Ashley whispered. "Happy Christmas, Zander."

"You too, Ash." he gave her a quick hug, wishing it could last longer.

"Happy Christmas, Professor Malfoy," Brittany said.

"You both enjoy the holiday as well," Julie smiled.

Ashley took her mother's hand. "Ready, Mum?"

"Sure am, sweetheart," Julie tossed some Floo Powder into the fireplace/

"You've got it bad," Brittany said to her cousin once they were alone.

"I don't know what you're talking about," Zander picked up his game controller.

"Uh-huh," Brittany said. "Right."

"Go away," Zander replied.

"I'm going," Brittany said tossing her hair and leaving the room.

Zander knew he could never let his cousin find out about his crush on Ashley- she'd never leave him alone about it. He decided it was better to keep it a secret until he could figure out what to do about it.

228. Chapter 228

Authors’ note: You get a big serving of Christmas fluff this go ‘round as our favourite almost five year old girl celebrates Christmas with her family. Can you believe little Emma Weasley is almost five? Where did the time go?

On another note, we wanted to address a question we’ve been getting a lot in reviews. We are not going to update more than once a week because our schedules and how far ahead we are in the story do not really go along with that right now. We are trying to decide on a second story to co-author and if we do that, we’ll probably update that one on Tuesdays. But, for now, Last Dance will only be updated on Saturdays. Thanks you guys for reading and being the greatest!

It was early Christmas morning and Emma Weasley was making sure that no one stayed asleep.

"Em," Caroline protested sleepily. "It's only half past five. I bet Santa hasn't even come yet!"

"Sissy, come on!" Emma said tugging at the covers. "Santa came!"

"I'm waiting for Mummy and Daddy," Caroline pulled the covers back over her head.

Emma pouted for a moment. An idea came to her and she hurried out her and Caroline's room and down the hall toward her parents' room.

Emma reached up and opened the door. Her parents were fast asleep. She had no idea that they'd only gone to sleep a couple of hours ago. They'd been busy setting up the presents. Emma grinned and ran toward the bed.

"DADDY!" Emma squealed pouncing on him.

"What?" Jon grunted as Emma landed on his chest. "Em? What are you doing up, baby?"

"It's Christmas!" Emma exclaimed, tapping his cheeks with her hand.

"It's five thirty," Allison said opening up one eye and looking at the clock on the bedside table. "It's not Christmas yet, baby."

"Yes it is," Emma said. "It was Christmas after midnight!"

"You are too smart for your own good," Jon said smiling at her. "How about you lie down with Mummy and Daddy for awhile and then we'll get up and look at the presents."

"No, now." Emma pushed her lower lip out.

"Em," Allison said sitting up. "Your brother and sister aren't even up yet."

"Sissy is up," Emma replied. "Em woke her up!"

"Like you did us, eh?" Jon asked.

Emma giggled. "That's right Daddy!"

"You're not going to go back to bed, are you?" Allison asked.

Emma shook her head.

"Dada!" Adam called out from his room. "Dada! Dada!"

Jon groaned. "I think the whole crew is up now."

"We'll go back to sleep later," Allison said with a yawn.

"Guess we don't have a choice," Jon pushed back the covers as Emma dashed out of the room.

"We should bottle her energy," Allison said to Jon.

Jon laughed and wrapped his arms around her. "Happy Christmas, Al."

"Happy Christmas," Allison said giving him a kiss.

"Come on!" Emma begged from the doorway. "Adam wants you to get him down!"

"Okay, okay," Jon said following his daughter back into Adam's room. His son was standing up in his crib and holding his arms out. "Hey, buddy.”

"Dada!" Adam grinned when he saw him.

Jon picked him up. "Are you ready to open some presents?"

Adam nodded vigorously. "Toys!"

"Adam, Em gets to open first," Emma told him. "Em always opens first."

"Emma," Jon said. "We go youngest to oldest."

"But I went first last year," Emma pointed out.

"That's because Adam was a baby then and couldn't open for himself," Jon told her.

Emma crossed her arms and pouted.

"Adam big boy," Adam announced.

"Yes you are," Jon said affectionately.

Allison and Caroline met them in the hall. Caroline was leaning against her mother, her eyes closed.

"Did we HAVE to get up this early?" Caroline complained.

"After we open presents and have breakfast, we'll go back down for a kip," Allison promised.

"Okay," Caroline said, heading for the sitting room. "Come on, Em."

Emma grinned and took her sister's hand. "Okay, sissy."

"Mama," Adam reached for her.

Allison took him from Jon and hugged him to her. "Happy Christmas, Adam."

Adam put his arms around her neck. "Presents?"

"Yes," Allison said kissing his cheek. "Because Santa said you were a good little boy."

Adam nodded. "Big boy too!"

"So's his Daddy," Jon said cheekily.

"Jonathan!" Allison giggled, swatting him with her free hand.

"Come ON!" Emma said from the sitting room. "You're taking too long!"

Allison carried Adam into the sitting room and sat down with him in front of the tree. "Caroline, can you hand him a present?"

"Sure, Mummy." Caroline said, sliding a large box over to her brother.

Adam looked at it for a few moments as if not sure what to do with it.

"Rip the paper," Emma encouraged.

Adam put his hands on top of the package.

"Emma, why don't you show him how to do it?" Allison asked.

"Okay," Emma said eagerly, her little hands tearing the paper off.

Adam laughed and clapped his hands as he watched his sister. "Ooooh!"

"Look Adam!" Emma said. "You got a race track!"

"Ooooh!" Adam squealed.

"Daddy can set it up for you," Emma began to open the box.

Allison laughed. "Which I'm sure he can't wait to do."

"Adam and I will do it later," Jon said. "For now, let's get cracking on these other presents."

Caroline set another present in front of Adam.

This time, Adam seemed to know what to do. His little hands ripped apart the paper.

"A stuffed dragon!" Emma exclaimed. "Adam, they're your favourites!"

"Other one!" Adam said excitedly.

Caroline laughed. "I think he's got the hang of it now, Mummy."

Adam happily tore through the rest of his presents. He received some clothes, which he didn't show any interest in, but he loved the toy broom that Caroline and Emma had selected for him.

"Good job," Allison told him. "My sweet boy."

"Love Mama," Adam threw himself into her lap.

Allison put her arms around him. "I love you too, Adam."

"Em's turn?" Emma pleaded.

"Yes," Allison said grinning at her.

With a squeal, Emma made quick work of tearing through her gifts; barely stopping to see what she had received.

"Emma!" Caroline giggled.

"Slow down," Jon chuckled.

Emma looked at him with wide eyes. "Too much fun, Daddy!"

"The sooner she finishes, the sooner we can go back to bed," Caroline said impishly.

Jon mussed her hair. "Fair point, Angel."

"Watch me!" Emma said, tearing into her last box to reveal a princess gown made for her by Molly.

"Em's favourite!" Emma announced hugging it to her.

"That's soooooo pretty, Em." Caroline said. "You'll have to show it off at our next meeting."

"And give your Nana a big hug and kiss for making it for you," Allison told her.

"I will," Emma promised, barely taking her eyes off the dress. "Sissy's turn!"

Caroline smiled. "Finally," she joked.

Her first gift she opened up was a diary. "That's a special journal, Angel." Jon said. "And we happen to know that Mia was also getting one. With it, the two of you can write to each other."

Caroline beamed at him. "Really?"

"Pretty cool, eh?" Jon asked.

"Really cool," Caroline said. "Thanks, Daddy!"

"You're welcome, Angel." Jon said, grinning at her.

Caroline opened another present, a new dance bag and a new pair of ballet slippers.

"I needed new slippers!" she exclaimed. "Thank you!"

"Your Grandma Cho helped me pick those out," Allison told her.

"I can't wait to wear them in class," Caroline said happily.

Emma handed her another present. "This is from Adam and me."

"Thanks, Em." Caroline said before tearing it open.

"Bertie Botts!" Caroline exclaimed. "Thanks, Em. Those are my favourite!"

"Em's too," Emma replied.

Caroline finished opening her presents and she shared a knowing look with her father. She was the only one who knew about his surprise for her mother.

Jon handed Allison a small envelope. "Happy Christmas."

"Jon," Allison said smiling at him as she opened the envelope. She was speechless when she saw what it was. Two tickets for a portkey to the Cayman Islands. "Jonathan!"

"Fourth honeymoon?" Jon winked at her.

Allison smiled. "You always manage to surprise me."

"I'm still good," Jon said in satisfaction.

"I didn't tell her," Caroline said proudly. "I wanted to so many times, but I didn't!"

"Good job, Angel." Jon congratulated her. "I knew I could count on you."

"This one is from all of us," Caroline said handing it to her mother. "Em, Adam and me."

"Thank you sweetheart," Allison said.

Allison opened the package to see a framed photo of her three children. "Oh, you guys! This is lovely!"

"We made it ourselves, Mummy," Emma said.

"It's beautiful," Allison said, getting a little teary-eyed as she looked at the photograph. "Thank you so much!"

"Love mama," Adam said again.

Allison hugged him and Caroline and Emma joined in on the hug. "Squishy Mummy."

"What about squishy Daddy?" Jon asked.

"Let's get him," Allison said conspiratorially.

"Dada!" Adam shouted. "Get Dada!"

Jon was knocked over by the force of all three of them hugging him.

Jon laughed. "Now that's the way to spend Christmas morning."

"We're not done yet," Allison said. "It's your turn, Mr. Weasley."

"Presents for me?" Jon asked.

"Of course," Allison said. "You were a good boy this year, weren't you?"

"You tell me," Jon said with a wicked grin.

"I think so," Allison said grinning back at him.

"Open already!" Emma plunked a gift in her father's lap

"Okay, okay," Jon said tearing into it. "You are a pushy little thing, Emma Madeline."

"I know," Emma grinned.

Jon laughed. "Okay, let's see what's in here..."

Emma was eager to see her father's reaction to the gift she and her siblings had gotten him.

"New flying gloves," Jon said. "Now, how did you lot know I needed a new pair?"

"You told Mummy!" Emma explained.

"I did, didn't I?" Jon asked winking at her. "Thank you."

"Now you have to open Mummy's," Caroline said handing it to him.

"I can do that," Jon said, unwrapping the gift. "Hey, Al... this is great!" Her gift was a broomstick servicing kit.

Allison leaned over to give him a hug. "I have something else for ...later," she whispered in his ear.

Jon leaned in and gave his wife a kiss. "I can't wait."

Allison looked at Emma. "Em? There's something else that we had for you. Santa left it outside by Max's house."

"Another present for Em?" Emma asked excitedly.

Allison nodded. "It's cold out. So you can just look outside at it for now. Later on, we'll go out with you."

Emma ran toward the kitchen and pulled back the curtains. There sitting beside Max's dog house was a pink bicycle.

"EM HAS A BIKE!" the little redhead shrieked. "LOOK!"

"You can go riding with me now," Caroline said putting an arm around her sister.

"Right now?" Emma asked.

"Not right now," Caroline said. "The sun's not up yet. But, later, we'll go."

"Unless it snows," Allison said. "Then you may want to wait until it warms up."

"Right," Caroline said. "But either way, Em you have a bike!"

"I can't wait to ride!" Emma bounced up and down.

"She's been wanting one of those forever," Caroline said looking at her mother.

"Santa must have known that," Allison grinned at her.

"This has been such a good Christmas," Caroline said hugging her mother.

"Yes it has," Allison kissed the top of her head.

"What's for breakfast?" Emma asked.

"You want breakfast?" Jon scooped her up. "I thought we were all going back to bed."

Emma giggled. "Hungry, Daddy!"

"How about your favourite breakfast," Allison said. "Blueberry waffles made from scratch?"

"Yummy!" Emma replied.

"Come on, Em," Caroline said. "You, me and Adam can clean up in the sitting room while Mummy and Daddy cook."

"Kay," Emma said. "Come with me and Sissy, Adam."

Adam toddled over to them.

"Did you see the look on her face when she saw that bicycle?" Jon asked Allison when they were alone in the kitchen.

"It's perfect for her," Jon said. "I can't believe she's going to be five years old next week."

"She's growing up so fast," Allison said. "They all are. I can't imagine what I'll be like when we see Caroline off to Hogwarts for the first time."

"A crying mess?" Jon asked.

"You will be too," Allison said nudging him as she opened up the icebox.

"So," Jon said. "What's this surprise you have for me?"

"It's supposed to be a surprise," Allison told him.

Jon kissed the side of her neck. "You know I can't resist your surprises."

Allison smiled. "Well, I will give you a hint. I stopped by Lavender's shop the other day. I might have purchased something lacy...."

"I love you in lace," Jon said huskily.

Allison turned around and looped her arms around his neck. "You'll probably love me out of it, too."

"You know I will," Jon kissed her again.

"I can't believe we're going to the Caymans," Allison said.

Jon smiled. "Let's make that trip soon..."

"Absolutely," Allison replied. "Going somewhere nice and warm with the best husband in the whole world..."

"That would be me," Jon said proudly. "About to take a trip with the most beautiful woman and best wife in the world."

"I love you," Allison said softly.

"I love you too, Al." Jon tucked her hair behind her ear. "I always have."

"Jonathan Arthur Weasley," Allison said touching his face. "You have made me so happy."

"That goes double for me," Jon told her. "The day you agreed to marry me was one of the happiest days of my life."

Allison knew a lot of people hadn't thought that they'd last. It hadn't been easy and money had been tight, but somehow, they'd managed to make it through, together. "I wouldn't have done anything differently, you know? We were meant to be together."

"I agree," Jon rested his forehead on hers. "You've always been my girl, Al."

"Always," Allison agreed happily.

It was suspiciously quiet in the sitting room and Allison took Jon's hand and led him out of the kitchen. There amongst the discarded boxes and wrapping paper, their three children were fast asleep. Caroline had her arm protectively around Adam's waist and Emma was sleeping on the baby's other side.

"I think getting the camera is in order," Jon whispered/

Allison nodded and tiptoed over to the coffee table to get the camera.

"I'll have to make a copy for Nana," Jon said as Allison snapped a few shots. "She'll love these."

"And for your parents and mine," Allison whispered.

"Definitely," Jon nodded, watching his three children with a grin.

"I should really get started on breakfast," Allison said.

"I'll clean up in here," Jon told her. "Let these three sleep."

"Deal," Allison said with a grin. "Put that blanket on them too, Jon. I don't want them getting cold."

"Will do," Jon pulled the blanket from the sofa.

He draped it gingerly over the three of them. "Sleep well," he whispered.

Meanwhile, Christmas at the Barron house had just begun. Hannah, Mas and Sukie were eagerly tearing into their gifts while Chiaki and Frankie fed the infants.

Mas held up a toy airplane and Sukie grabbed for it. "Mine!" she squealed.

"No!" Mas pulled it back. "Santa gave to ME!"

Sukie started to cry.

Chiaki sighed. "Sukie that was Mas' present. You don't just grab it out of his hands."

"But I want it!" Sukie sobbed.

"You might get one," Toshio told his daughter. "If you open up your own presents, Sukie."

"Want that one!" Sukie exclaimed pointing at it. "Mas mean!"

"No, your brother is not mean," Toshio told her. "You have your gifts, and Mas has his."

"Mean, Daddy!" Sukie pointed at him.

"Sukie, do you want a time out?" Toshio asked sternly.

Sukie shook her head. "No."

"Then behave," Toshio said. "Go open YOUR presents."

Sukie toddled over to the tree and picked up a present.

Mas sat contentedly beside Neville. "Gampa, help?"

"I'd love to help," Neville grinned at his grandson.

Neville helped him open a present and Mas squealed when he saw a stuffed dragon.

"Adam got one of those too, buddy," Neville told him.

"Adam too?" Mas asked happily. "Play now?"

"He's coming over later," Neville told him. "And you can play with him."

Mas squealed happily and reached for another gift.

Cho sat down with Sukie who was still sulking.

"Why aren't you opening the rest of your presents?" Cho asked.

"I want THAT one," Sukie said, pointing to the plane.

"You still have loads of presents to open, love," Cho said. "You might have your own plane in one of those."

"For Sukie?" the little girl asked.

"For Sukie," Cho said tugging affectionately on the little girl's plait. "Just for Sukie."

Eagerly, Sukie reached for a gift and began tearing into the paper.

She grinned when she saw that she had her own plane. "Santa!"

"See?" Cho said. "Santa knew..."

"Thanks, Gamma," Sukie said giving her a hug.

Hannah was much neater about opening her presents. "Look Mummy!" she said, holding up a new purple jumper.

Frankie grinned at her. "Do you like it?"

"I love it," Hannah hugged it to her. "I want to wear it today."

Will shared a smile with his wife and walked out of the room. He came back in a few moments later with a purple bicycle that had a purple bow on it.

"I found this in the other room," Will said. "It said "To Hannah, From Santa."

Hannah's jaw dropped. "My own bike?" she whispered.

"It was on your list, wasn't it?" Will asked her with a grin.

Hannah nodded. "But I didn't think I'd get it!"

"You were a good girl," Will said. "And I know you've been wanting your own bike. This has training wheels just like the one you've been using."

Hannah nodded and walked around the bicycle, taking it in. Will had taught her how to ride on Frankie's old bicycle from when she was a girl. "I love it, Daddy."

"I'm glad, sweetheart." Will said with a grin. "And when Nathan and Izzie get big, you can help show them too."

"I can't wait," Hannah said happily.

Frankie put Izzie on her shoulder and began patting her back. "I can't wait until these two are old enough for Christmas."

"Hopefully, they'll get along better than these two," Chiaki said.

Frankie laughed. "Without the mine, mine, mine?"

"If I had a sickle for every time I hear that on a daily basis," Chiaki said shaking her head.

"Thanks for helping me with these two," Frankie said, lying Izzie down in her seat.

"Of course," Chiaki said. "You and Allie kept me sane when I first had Sukie and Mas."

Izzie looked at her mother before closing her eyes.

"She's such a good baby," Chiaki said softly. "They both are."

"They really are," Frankie said fondly. "And Hannah is just so, so wonderful with them."

"She's great with Mas and Sukie too," Chiaki said. "They adore her."

"She's my sweet girl," Frankie said. "I can never resist spoiling her at Christmas."

Frankie looked over at her daughter who was trying to put her new toy tiara on her father's head.

"Come on, William," Frankie said. "Try it on. Diamonds are your favourite, remember?"

"No pictures," Will replied.

Hannah grinned and set the tiara on his head. "Pretty, Daddy."

"Pretty, eh?" Will raised an eyebrow.

"Gorgeous," Hannah said dramatically.

Will laughed. "I think it looks better on you baby."

Sukie toddled over to them. "Sukie try?"

"Sure," Hannah said, setting it on her cousin's silky black hair.

"Ooooh," Sukie clapped her hands.

"You're just like a princess too," Hannah told her.

Sukie beamed at her.

"You just made her day, Hannah," Chiaki grinned.

"She's a pretty princess," Hannah said. "With your black hair, you'd make a really pretty Snow White."

"Snow?" Sukie asked.

"Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs," Hannah told her. "Remember?"

"Yes," Sukie nodded. "I will be Snow."

Hannah laughed. "I have to clear it with the others, first. But, I think you're a shoe-in."

"Yay," Sukie clapped her hands.

"We'll have to get you a dress," Hannah said. "Like Snow White."

"Mummy," Sukie said. "I need a Snow dress!"

"You do?" Chiaki asked. "Well, let's see what we can do..."

"Right now!" Sukie said excitedly. "But not for Mas!"

Chiaki picked up a sofa pillow and transfigured it into a Snow White dress. "How's this?"

Hannah gasped. "That's beautiful!"

"How about we try it on, Snow?" Chiaki asked her daughter who nodded eagerly.

"Now, now, now!" Sukie chanted.

Chiaki picked her up. "Come here."

Mas watched his sister. "Pretty," he nodded.

"Thanks," Sukie exclaimed, twirling around in her new princess dress.

"You look just like Snow White!" Hannah told her.

"What princess is Hannah?" Sukie asked.

"I'm Belle from Beauty and the Beast," Hannah told her. "And Em's Ariel from the Little Mermaid. Caroline's Jasmine from Aladdin. Mia was Sleeping Beauty, but she gave that up to be Pocahontas. Casey's the new Sleeping Beauty."

"Wow," Sukie seemed awed.

"We'll never be able to take that dress off of her now," Toshio said to his wife. "You realise that, right?"

"We'd better get used to seeing a LOT of Snow White," Chiaki laughed.

"Happy Christmas, Chi," Toshio said giving her a kiss.

"You too," Chiaki replied.

Neville sat down beside his wife. "It wasn't too long ago when we had Allie, Chiaki, and Frankie in our sitting room opening presents."

Cho laughed. "Frankie always woke up first."

"And then got the rest of the house up," Neville finished.

"She was relentless," Chiaki remembered.

"What are you two talking about?" Frankie asked.

"How you used to be on Christmas morning when you were a kid," Cho told her youngest daughter.

"First to open every single gift?" Frankie asked with a grin.

"Don't forget the year when she snuck down and opened every single gift under the tree," Chiaki said shaking her head. "Allie and I were so mad."

Frankie laughed. "I remember that! And I tried to claim all the clothes you'd gotten were mine."

"How old were you when that happened, Mummy?" Hannah asked.

"Fourteen," Chiaki said before Frankie could answer.

"And her favourite phrase was 'That's so not fair!'," Neville recalled.

"It was not," Frankie protested.

Chiaki put her hands on her hips and tossed back her hair. "Daddy, that is so not fair that Allie gets to date and I don't!"

She pretended to stalk off and then turned around. "Mummy, I want to have my own phone and Wireless! Mummy, I want to date a twenty-three year old bloke and I'm only 16!"

Frankie crossed her arms. "Chiaki, that is so not fair! I never wanted to date a 23 year old when I was 16!"

"Oh, you're right," Chiaki said trying to keep a straight face. "He was 25 and he thought you were 18."

Hannah giggled. "Mummy, you really liked boys a lot!"

"That's the understatement of the decade," Chiaki said.

"I don't remember hearing about this," Neville said folding his arms.

"That's because it is SO not true," Frankie replied with a huff.

"Colin Vanderpool," Chiaki said. "You met him at one of my parties that I didn't even know you were at, you little sneak. You told him you were 18."

"Chiaki," Frankie said through clenched teeth.

"You fancied that bloke?" Toshio asked. "He had about as much depth as a paddling pool."

Frankie shrugged. "He was hot."

"Francesca," Neville said folding his arms.

Cho put a hand up. "Neville, she asked me if they could go out and I said no. End of story."

"Merlin and HOW long ago was that?" Frankie rolled her eyes.

"Colin Vanderpool," Toshio said again, shaking his head.

"Get over it, Tosh," Frankie said as Nathan let out a cry.

"Saved by the baby," Will said. "Or maybe he just got upset at the possibility that Colin Vanderpool could have been his Daddy."

"Never," Frankie gave him a look.

Will lifted Nathan out of his seat. "Hey, little guy. Daddy's here."

"He can't be hungry," Frankie said. "He probably needs to be changed."

"Where's good old Colin Vanderpool when you need him?" Will asked cheekily.

"Enough," Frankie snapped at him.

"Okay," Will said pecking her on the cheek. "I'll go and change him."

Frankie rolled her eyes as she sat back down on the sofa.

"Don't be sad, Mummy," Hannah said. "I think Colin Vanderdrool is a stupid name anyway."

Frankie smiled. "Me too, baby."

"I think Sukie is really happy being a princess," Hannah said.

"She was born to be a princess," Frankie said as Hannah sat next to her.

"Izzie can be a princess when she gets older," Hannah said. "We don't have a Mulan. And since she has dark hair, she'd be perfect."

"Good idea," Frankie kissed the side of her head.

"I hope Nathan won't feel left out," Hannah said thoughtfully.

"I'm sure he'll be fine," Frankie reassured her.

"Do you think he liked the music box I got him and Izzie?" Hannah asked.

"Of course he did," Frankie smiled at her. "It'll help them go to sleep."

"They always sleep better when they have music," Hannah said softly.

"So do you," Frankie nudged her.

Hannah giggled. "I especially like it when you sing to me."

"Even though I'm not that good?" Frankie made a face.

"You're perfect to me," Hannah said earnestly.

"And you're perfect to me," Frankie hugged her tightly. "I love you so much baby."

"I love you too," Hannah said.

"Here we are," Will announced. "All changed and happy."

Nathan reached for his sister.

Hannah beamed at him. "Hi, Nathan!"

Nathan cooed at her.

"Can I hold him, Daddy?" Hannah asked. "Please?"

"Of course you can," Will answered.

Will placed the baby carefully in her arms. "Support his head...there you go..."

"I love holding them," Hannah said, gazing down at her brother. "They're so cute."

"You might not have said that if you'd had to change his nappy," Will joked.

Hannah giggled. "I don't mind helping change the nappies."

"We'll need to remember that," Frankie said.

In the kitchen, Chiaki was filling a plate with biscuits. She felt someone tugging on her leg and she looked down to see her son staring up at her with wide eyes.

"You snuck up on Mummy," Chiaki said kneeling down.

"I'm hungry," Mas told her.

"Do you want a biscuit?" Chiaki asked him. "Hmm? Chocolate chip?"

Mas nodded. "Yummy!"

Chiaki picked him up and sat him on the counter. She handed him a biscuit. "There you go."

"Thank you," Mas said grinning at her.

Chiaki mussed his hair. "Who's my polite little boy?"

"Me!" Mas said, smearing chocolate all over his mouth.

Chiaki laughed. "Yes, you are!"

Toshio laughed as he came into the kitchen. "That's a good look for you, son."

"Thank you," Mas said waving at his father.

"I thought I'd help you bring out some food," Toshio told his wife.

"That would be great," Chiaki said. "I was just going to pour some hot apple cider."

"Can I have some?" Mas asked.

"Of course," Chiaki said kissing his chocolate-smeared cheek. "Yummy."

Mas laughed. "Don't eat me!"

"I wouldn't do that," Chiaki said, tickling his side.

Sukie danced into the kitchen still wearing her princess costume. "Snow!" she exclaimed, twirling around.

Chiaki smiled. "Princess Snow White, would you like a biscuit?"

"Yes, please," Sukie said holding out her hand.

Toshio scooped her up and set her on the counter next to Mas. "Here you are, Princess."

"Good biscuits, Sukie!" Mas told her. "Yummy, yummy."

Sukie nodded. "One more?"

"One more," Chiaki said handing them each a biscuit.

"Yum, yum!" Mas said happily.

Sukie halved her biscuit and handed it to her brother.

Chiaki stared in disbelief. This was the first time she could remember Sukie sharing with her brother.

Toshio was surprised too. "That was very nice, Sukie. What do you say to your sister, Mas?"

"Thanks, Sukie!" Mas said taking the biscuit from her.

"That's my good girl," Chiaki hugged her daughter to her.

"Love, Mummy," Sukie said happily.

"I love you too, baby." Chiaki kissed the top of her head.

"Now that they're properly covered in chocolate," Toshio teased. "How about we go into the sitting room?"

"Sounds good," Chiaki picked Mas up.

Toshio set Sukie down before he picked up the tray of hot apple cider.

"Snow is coming!" Sukie announced, waltzing back into the sitting room.

Neville scooped her up. "Are you the fairest in all the land?"

"I don't know," Sukie said.

Neville hugged her. "You smell like chocolate."

"I had a biscuit," Sukie explained.

"Oh, you did, did you?" Neville asked sitting down with her. "Are you going to save some for Adam and Emma and Caroline when they get here?"

"Yes," Sukie nodded. "I shared with Mas."

"Good girl," Neville said trying to hide his surprise. "It's nice to share."

"I'm a good girl," Sukie leaned against him.

"Yes you are," Neville said. "And you are the prettiest Snow White in the whole world."

"I like being a princess," Sukie replied.

"You know," Neville said winking at her. "Every single one of my granddaughters is a princess now. Except for Izzie, but she will be when she gets older. I guess that makes me a king."

Sukie giggled. "Yes! Gampa is a king!"

"Did you hear that?" Neville asked. "Sukie says I'm a king."

"In your dreams, Dad," Frankie cracked.

"King of what?" Chiaki asked.

"Princesses!" Sukie exclaimed.

"I like the sound of that!" Neville said with a grin. He loved spending time like this with his family. Given what had happened with Harry over the last few months, Neville knew not to take them for granted. He knew that his best friend had been given the greatest gift ever when he found his daughter and son.

229. Chapter 229

Authors’ note: This chapter puts the kibosh on one relationship. It was a tough decision and some of you will be happy while others will be sad. We hope that you will still read even if you don’t like the outcome. We all know a little bit about reading a story and having a couple we love not come to fruition (*cough* JK Rowling* cough*).

Back at the Minister's mansion, everyone had just finished opening their gifts. Ethan, Maddie, Kiera and Blue had stayed over as well so they could be there first thing Christmas morning.

Ethan couldn't stop looking at his new racing broom.

"It's not going to disappear," Julie teased.

"It's just brilliant," Ethan said. "Saf- when do we race?"

"Not today!" Hermione said before Saffron could. "It's a blizzard out there!"

"When it clears," Ethan grinned at his mother. "Either that or we fly above the clouds.

"Snow can't stop us," Saffron said. "Come on, Mum."

"No," Hermione said firmly. "I will not have you two out there flying around in this weather."

Saffron put her arm around her mother. "Okay, we'll stay inside today. Just for you."

"Thank you," Hermione said in relief.

"Who wants hot chocolate?" Greta asked coming in to the room, carrying a tray.

"I do!" Katie said.

Greta set the tray down on the coffee table. "Breakfast will be ready shortly."

"I'm starved," Ashley said. "I can't wait."

Saffron gave her former nanny a hug. "Happy Christmas, Greta!"

"Happy Christmas, love," Greta said hugging her tightly. "And thank you so much for the lovely bracelet."

"I'm glad you like it," Saffron said.

"It was present enough for me to have you and Ethan home," Greta said.

"And I'm so glad you stayed here with us," Saffron said. "I've always missed having you here."

"It has seemed like old times," Ethan said.

"Old times are good times," Saffron hinted jokingly.

Greta laughed. "Yes they are."

"What time are we going to the Burrow?" Katie asked.

"This afternoon," Nick told her.

"I need time to put my makeup on," Katie held up the new kit she'd been given.

"How long do you need?" Nick asked her.

"An hour or two," Katie replied, making all of them laugh.

"Katie, you don't need makeup," Julie told her. "You are beautiful just the way you are."

"How come you wear makeup then, mummy?" Katie asked innocently.

"She's got you there, Jules," Ethan teased.

"A little makeup is fine," Julie said hastily. "Just don't go overboard."

"I never go overboard," Katie said smugly.

"Sure," Ashley muttered to Saffron. "Half of that will be gone by this afternoon."

Saffron giggled. "Ash!"

"What's so funny?" Katie asked.

"Nothing," Saffron said hastily. "So...Katie, what was your favourite present?"

"Definitely my new makeup," Katie said. "I heard Ashley's friend Brittany say you can never have enough makeup."

"She does say that a lot," Ashley said grinning as she remembered her best friend.

"That's why I think she's so cool," Katie answered.

"I think Katie has a new role model," Saffron said.

"Brit will love hearing that," Ashley replied.

"I like her a lot better than ...that other one," Katie said scrunching up her nose in disgust.

Ashley frowned. "There's nothing wrong with Zander."

"Katherine Rose," Julie said. "You do not say bad things about your sister's friends. How would you feel if she said something bad about one of your friends?"

Katie rolled her eyes in response.

"Katherine Rose," Julie warned.

"Fine, I'm sorry," Katie said impatiently.

"I could really feel that you meant that," Ashley said sarcastically.

Nick stood in between his two daughters. "Girls, this is a happy day for our family. Can you please try and get along?"

"I didn't start it," Ashley protested.

"It doesn't matter," Nick said sternly. "I'm finishing it."

Katie rolled her eyes. "I'm hungry."

"How about we all go in the dining room?" Hermione suggested.

"Come on Ash," Saffron said. "You can sit by me."

"Thanks," Ashley said gratefully.

"Don't let her get to you," Saffron whispered. "You know she only likes Brit because she can identify with her."

Ashley nodded. "Yeah, I know."

Greta had made a huge breakfast with everyone's favourites. "Dig in," she said.

Harry grinned. "I don't even know where to begin."

"I'm starting with waffles," Saffron said.

"Your Uncle Ron would be in heaven," Hermione told her.

"I know," Saffron said. "I can't wait to brag about our breakfast later."

"Greta, eat with us," Nick said taking her hand. "Come on."

"I'm fine--" Greta began to protest.

"Sit down," Nick said firmly. "This is your family."

"Sit by me," Saffron said.

Greta smiled. "Of course."

Everyone dug into their food. Maddie ate while keeping an eye on her daughter, who was sleeping in her rocker chair.

"She's the sweetest baby," Greta commented. "So calm and quiet."

"She takes after her mum," Ethan said.

Maddie grinned at him. "She takes after you too."

"Definitely more you," Ethan replied. "She's my girl, just like you are."

"She's as pretty as her mum that's for sure," Julie said.

"Lucky for her," Saffron teased.

Maddie laughed. "You lot are very sweet. Thank you."

Ethan kissed her cheek. "Love you, Mads." he whispered.

"Love you too," Maddie said softly, beaming at him.

This was just how it should have been. Harry couldn't stop looking at all of them. They were his family and they were right here, safe in this house.

Hermione knew what he was thinking. She squeezed his hand.

"You caught me," he said grinning at her.

"I know you too well," Hermione smiled.

"Better than I know myself," Harry said. "I haven't seen you this happy in a long time, sweetheart."

"And you too," Hermione said. "It's perfect, Harry. We have all our kids right here."

"This is the best Christmas present I've ever been given," Harry said. "This was all I wanted."

"Me too," Hermione glanced at her son, who was lifting his daughter out of her seat.

"Daddy's got you," Ethan said softly. "Daddy's got his girl."

"Mmmmm..." Kiera smiled up at him.

"Daddy's girl," Hermione said with a grin.

"That's what she'll be," Ethan laughed. "And spoiled rotten."

"By two sets of grandparents," Saffron said.

"And all her aunts and uncles," Maddie added.

Julie laughed. "She has a load of those."

"Yes she does," Ethan nuzzled Kiera's nose.

Kiera cooed happily at him.

Saffron helped herself to another helping of waffles. "I could live off of these, Greta."

"Eat up," Greta said. "I have more when you want them."

"You keep this up and I won't let you leave," Saffron said grinning at her.

Greta laughed and put an arm around her. "I imagine you'll be off finding your own place soon enough."

Saffron didn't like to think about that. "Right..."

Greta was going to ask her what was wrong when they heard a commotion coming from the sitting room.

"Hello!" Lavender called out in a sing-song voice.

Harry put his head in his hands. "And today was going so well..."

"Harry," Hermione put her hand on his arm.

"I'm only kidding," Harry reassured her.

Lavender breezed into the room with Seamus and Gabriel. "Happy Christmas!"

"Happy Christmas," Saffron ran to hug her aunt.

Lavender hugged her tightly. "How are you doing, sweetheart?"

"Okay," Saffron said.

"Happy Christmas, Ethan," Lavender said looking at her nephew who was still holding Kiera. "I have some new things from the Saffron collection for her."

"Thanks Aunt Lav," Ethan smiled up at her. "We really appreciate it."

"She'll be the best dressed infant around," Seamus replied with a grin.

"That's the important thing," Saffron said. She hugged her cousin. "Hey, Gabe. Happy Christmas!"

"Good to see you, Saffy," Gabriel gave her a tight hug.

He's spent Christmas Eve with his grandparents and had just arrived in England that morning.

"Thank you for sending the flowers," Saffron said. This was the first time she'd seen him since she'd returned. "You didn't have to."

"I wanted to," Gabriel said. "I was worried about you."

"Come and sit down," Saffron said. "Greta's outdone herself."

"I don't know," Lavender said looking longingly at a plate of pancakes. "I really overdid it last night at the Boyd’s."

"Did you?" Harry asked dryly. "Let me guess...you had an entire biscuit instead of just nibbling on one?"

"Very funny," Lavender gave him a dirty look. "For your information, I had a salad as well."

"Go on and have some," Julie told her. "It's soooooo good."

"Well it IS Christmas," Lavender said. "I can indulge."

"I'll just get some more plates," Greta said getting to her feet. "Can I get you something to drink?"

"Coffee would be great," Seamus told her. "Thank you."

Greta hurried into the kitchen as Gabriel sat down and reached for the pancakes.

Hermione gave Lavender a hug. "I'm so glad you're here. It wouldn't have been the same without you."

"Of course it wouldn't," Lavender said.

Harry laughed. "Nice to see you're still as humble as ever, Lav."

"Why change perfection?" Lavender asked.

"Why, indeed?" Harry asked, shaking his head.

"The more things change, the more they stay the same," Seamus mused.

Saffron smiled. "I'm glad they stayed the same."

"Here, here," Ethan said raising his glass of juice.

Maddie stood up with Kiera. "I've got to go feed her."

"We promise not to eat all the food while you're gone, Maddie," Nick joked.

Maddie smiled. "If it's gone when I get back..."

"We don't want to face a hungry, mad Weasley," Julie said. "We've seen it before. It's not pretty."

"Exactly," Maddie replied with a grin.

"She looks great," Lavender said after Maddie had left the room.

"She looks gorgeous," Ethan said, gazing at the door where she'd disappeared.

"She's glowing," Lavender said.

"Well she's got a baby and Ethan's home," Saffron said. "I think she's got every reason in the world to be happy."

"So do you," Lavender said. "You are about to start a new career and you're home with everyone who loves you."

"Right," Saffron nodded.

"When will you start with your team, Saffy?" Seamus asked.

"I've got an appointment with the team owner a few days after the new year," Saffron answered.

"Quidditch Weekly says she's going to change the way the game is played," Ethan said proudly.

"She sure is," Harry grinned. "I can't wait to see my baby out there."

"How about you, Hermione?" Lavender teased. "You ready to see that?"

"Never," Hermione said. "But if she loves it, I'm happy to see her out there."

"Mum's going to come to all my matches," Saffron said grinning at her mother.

"With my eyes closed," Hermione countered.

"You'll watch," Saffron said.

"I'll tie her hands down," Harry teased, putting his arms around his wife.

"I'll have to listen to the matches on the Wireless," Ashley said. "But, I'll listen to every single one. I promise."

"Thanks Ash," Saffron hugged her niece.

"I'll get to go and see it in person with Mummy and Daddy," Katie said smugly.

"Long as you behave yourself," Julie cautioned.

"I always do," Katie said innocently.

Ashley bit her lower lip so she wouldn't say anything.

"If you keep up your marks," Julie said. "You were supposed to keep up on your reading during the holiday. I haven't seen you with a book, Katie."

"I read at night before I go to bed," Katie lied quickly.

"Young Witch Weekly?" Julie asked folding her arms. "I've seen them on your bedside table, Katie."

"I'm still reading," she said defensively.

"Just try and read a chapter a day, Katie," Julie said. "That's all I'm asking."

"It's CHRISTMAS," Katie argued.

"Starting tomorrow," Nick said. "You read a chapter a day in that book, Katherine Rose."

"Whatever," Katie huffed.

"Katherine Rose," Nick warned. "You heard me."

Katie crossed her arms and looked away.

Maddie came back into the room carrying Kiera.

"How'd she do?" Ethan asked.

"Starved," Maddie said. "I saved the best part for you." she handed him a burping cloth.

Ethan took the baby from her. "I bet she has a loud one in her."

"She always lets out perfect ones," Maddie replied.

"Everything she does is perfect," Ethan said proudly.

"Biased much?" Saffron joked.

"Not in the slightest," Ethan said patting his daughter's back.

Kiera let out a soft burp, making Ethan laugh.

"That's my good girl," Ethan said.

"Let me hold her," Saffron said.

"Okay, Brat," Ethan said grinning at her. "Come here."

"Come to your Aunt Saffy," Saffron said. "Who can't wait to spoil you and tell you stories about your dad when you get older."

"All of it lies," Ethan said handing her the baby.

"I never lie," Saffron kissed the infant's forehead.

"She loves her Aunt Saffy," Maddie said.

"Of course she does," Saffron said softly. "And I love her too."

"I only wish that Gran could have seen her," Ethan said quietly.

Maddie put a comforting hand on his arm. "She's seen her, Ethan. In her own way..."

Ethan nodded. "Yeah, I know."

"She would have loved you so much," Saffron said, swallowing the lump in her throat as she looked down at the baby.

Hermione kissed the top of her daughter's head. "It's all right, sweetheart."

"I'm okay," Saffron said.

Kiera smiled up at her and reached a tiny hand towards her face.

"Hey, baby," Saffron said softly.

"It's like she knows when someone's upset," Ashley commented. "And she wants you to be happy."

"That's a trait she got from her mum," Ethan replied.

"Maddie always did that," Hermione said fondly. "She still does."

Maddie blushed. "I try..."

Saffron laughed as the baby reached for her hair. "No, no, no..."

Ethan grinned. "She's got a good grip."

"She might make a good seeker when she grows up," Saffron said.

"We'll start training her as soon as she can fly," Ethan replied.

"She already has the broom," Saffron said looking pointedly at her father. "Never mind that she can't sit up on her own yet."

"A mere technicality," Ethan waved his hand.

"You bought the baby a broom?" Lavender asked Harry.

Harry shrugged sheepishly.

"It's really cute," Katie told her. "It's pink and everything!"

Lavender shook her head. "It's a good thing I came."

"What do you have for her then?" Harry asked. "Baby makeup?"

"They have makeup for babies?" Katie asked interestedly.

"No, they most certainly do not," Lavender replied, glaring at Harry.

Harry smirked at her.

"Maybe I should have gotten you some makeup," Lavender said. "I think you're getting crow's feet around your eyes, Old Man."

"I don't think he's ever looked more handsome," Hermione said loyally.

"Love is blind," Lavender said.

"Yes it is," Hermione said dreamily.

"I happen to think I've never looked more handsome either," Harry said puffing out his chest.

"I agree with that too," Saffron smiled.

"Thank you, baby," Harry said smiling back at her.

Kiera cooed at Harry, making everyone laugh.

Harry looked at Lavender. "See? Even she agrees."

Lavender waved her hand dismissively. "She's young and doesn't know any better."

"Is that right?" Harry asked laughing.

"Just wait and see," Lavender leaned back.

"It wouldn't be Christmas if you two weren't exchanging insults and trading barbs," Hermione said, shaking her head.

"We're just keeping with tradition," Harry replied.

"Very well, I might add," Seamus said.

"Only the best," Lavender kissed her husband's cheek.

"How are your grandparents, Gabe?" Saffron asked.

"Good," Gabriel said. "I wanted them to come over here with us, but Grandpa's getting over a cold."

"Will you be seeing Uncle Seamus' parents while you're here?" Saffron asked.

"We're headed up there for a few days tomorrow," Gabriel nodded. "I was hoping to convince Lexie to join us."

"That would be nice," Saffron said. "It would do the two of you a world of good."

"I've missed being with her," Gabriel said. "And... I know RJ means well, but every time he walks in its two steps back for me."

"He's with Audrey," Saffron tried to reassure him.

"I know," Gabriel said. "But with Lexie not remembering any of our relationship..."

"She's remembering bits and pieces," Saffron said. "It's going to come back to her. I know it will."

"I hope so," Gabriel said wistfully. "I hate not being with her."

"I'm going to help her any way I can," Saffron promised.

"Thanks Saffy," Gabriel said gratefully. "I know she'll listen to you."

"How's school going?" Saffron asked.

"I'm glad to be on vacation," Gabriel smiled. "Last semester really took it out of me."

"You brainiac," Saffron teased. "You're going to make the Dean's List again."

"I hope so," Gabriel nudged her.

"You'll get it," Saffron said, nudging him back. "You've got muscles. Must be from lugging those thick tomes around..."

"Oh you know it," Gabriel said dryly. "That's my main mission in life- to be one of those muscle men you see flexing down in Venice Beach..."

"Eww, gross," Saffron said scrunching up her nose.

Gabriel laughed. "I'll take being a nerd any day."

"Me too," Saffron agreed.

"You're not a real nerd," Gabriel said.

"What makes you say that?" Saffron asked.

"You're more of a jock," Gabriel told her.

"I am," Saffron nodded. "But, I love to read. I enjoy learning new things. I guess that would make me a nerdy jock."

Gabriel laughed. "Touché."

"I missed you, Gabe," Saffron said smiling at him.

"I missed you too," he said, slinging an arm around her. "Made me worry about you all the time..."

"I'm sorry," Saffron said.

"I'm just glad you're okay," he said sincerely.

"Me too," Saffron said smiling at him.

"What are you two talking about?" Lavender asked.

"How nerdy we are," Gabriel replied.

Lavender raised an eyebrow.

"Unfortunate, but true," Gabriel said.

"But at least we're good looking, Saffron deadpanned.

Gabriel laughed. "There is that, too."

Katie stood up. "I have to go get myself ready now," she announced.

"We're not leaving for awhile yet," Hermione told her granddaughter.

"I need the time, Grandma," Katie replied.

"Oh," Hermione said. "Okay, sweetheart."

"How much you want to bet she comes out with ten kilos of makeup on her face," Julie said once Katie had disappeared.

"She's a glamour girl," Nick said.

"Yes she is," Julie sighed.

Lavender pushed back from her seat. "I'll be right back."

She walked out of the dining room and upstairs to the room Katie and Ashley had been sharing. She knocked on the door. "Hiya, kiddo. It's your Aunt Lavender."

"Yes?" Katie peered through the crack in the door.

"I was hoping you'd show me the makeup you got for Christmas," Lavender replied.

Katie grinned. "Come in."

Lavender stepped into the room and felt a little like she was going through a time warp. Ashley's half of the room was neat with nothing out of place. Katie's was another story. Clothes were strewn on the floor and the bed was unmade. This reminded her of the room she and Hermione used to share when they were girls.

"Can I let you in on a little secret?" Lavender asked.

"Sure," Katie replied. "I love secrets."

Lavender smiled. "How about a few secrets then. One... less is more. That always applies to makeup. Two... if you take care of your clothes, they'll last you a lifetime."

Katie pondered that for a moment. "Can you show me? The makeup part, I mean."

"I'd be happy to," Lavender motioned for her to sit down. "Anytime you want a makeup lesson, I'll be there."

Katie sat down. "Thanks."

For the next half hour, Lavender patiently showed Katie how to apply makeup. "What do you think?" she asked the young girl, turning her to the mirror.

A slow smile spread across Katie's face as she took in her made-up face. "That's really me?"

"Yes it is," Lavender smiled. "And you're gorgeous."

Katie beamed at her. "Thanks, Aunt Lav. You're the best!"

"You're the best," Lavender hugged her.

"Sometimes, it feels like no one in the family understands me," Katie told her. "But, I feel like you do."

"We're two of a kind," Lavender put her arm around her.

"You're very cool," Katie said admiringly.

Lavender laughed. "How about next holiday from school, just you come visit me in LA. We'll go shopping and I'll take you onto Seamus's set with me when I do some costume design."

"For real?" Katie asked grinning at her. "Are you serious?"

"Totally," Lavender replied.

Katie threw her arms around her. "I'd love that!" she squealed.

"I'll talk to your parents and we'll plan on it then." Lavender said.

"Thanks, Aunt Lavender," Katie said happily.

"Anytime, sweetheart," Lavender replied.

"Let's go tell them now!" Katie exclaimed.

"Let's pick you out an outfit first," Lavender took her niece's hand.

"Ooooh," Katie agreed. "Sure."

"I bet you never thought of pairing these two things together," Lavender said.

Katie looked unsure as she looked at the jumper and skirt her aunt was holding. "They don't match."

"Trust me," Lavender held them out to her.

"Okay," Katie said taking the clothes.

Lavender looked in Katie's drawers. "This scarf around your waist..."

"Really?" Katie asked.

"Do I know fashion or do I know fashion?" Lavender grinned.

Katie changed into the outfit and then Lavender tied the scarf around her waist. "What kind of shoes?"

"Black ones," Lavender said. "These... with the little pumps."

"Ooooh," Katie said reaching for them.

"Voila," Lavender said, satisfied.

Katie looked at herself in the mirror. "Wow!"

"You look just gorgeous," Lavender said proudly.

"Thanks," Katie beamed with pride.

"Now," Lavender said. "Go show off."

"You're coming with me, right?" Katie asked taking her hand.

"Of course," Lavender told her.

Katie led her out of the room and downstairs. The family had now gathered in the sitting room.

"I'd like everyone to take a look at the new and improved Miss Katherine Rose Malfoy," Lavender announced.

Everyone turned around and stared at Katie.

"Wow," Nick said. "Is that my baby girl?"

Katie did a little spin. "It's me, Daddy!"

"You look gorgeous," Julie said with a smile.

Harry stood up and walked over to his granddaughter. "You look all grown up, my Katie."

"Thanks Grandpa," Katie grinned happily.

Harry did a little bow. "Can I have this dance?"

Katie giggled. "There's no music!"

"Yes there is," Saffron said hurrying over to turn on the stereo.

"I used to dance with him like that," Julie said to her husband. "Standing on his feet."

Nick smiled. "Oh yeah?"

"Before I could dance on my own," Julie said.

"I envy you," Nick said. "I always have. You had a father who loved you and did things like that."

Julie gave him a kiss. "You may not have had that growing up, but you do now."

"All I ever wanted was to be a better father to my children than mine was to me," Nick said.

"You have been," Julie told him.

Nick leaned in and gave her a kiss. "Thanks to you."

Julie kissed him again. "I love you, Nicholas."

"I love you, too," Nick said pulling her close. Katie giggled as Harry spun her around. “That’s my favourite part, Grandpa!”

"One more time then," Harry swung her up into the air effortlessly.

Hermione stood beside her cousin. "I was wondering where you'd gone off too. You and Katie bonded?"

Lavender grinned. "Let's just say she and I understand one another."

Hermione gave her a hug. "That was a nice thing you did."

"Just keeping the peace," Lavender replied. "I remember how it was when we were her age."

"We fought more than Ashley and Katie," Hermione remembered. "Who would have ever thought we'd end up this close?"

"Not me," Lavender kept an arm around her cousin. "You're the best friend I ever had."

"Me too," Hermione said. "I'm so glad you're here. I still can't believe Mum isn't. I keep waiting to see her come around the corner."

Lavender nodded. "I can't tell you how many times I've picked up the phone to ring her..."

"I know," Hermione said. "It just doesn't seem real."

"How's Saffy dealing with it?" Lavender asked in a low voice.

Hermione stole a glance at her daughter who was talking with Ashley. "She has her good days and bad days like the rest of us. I told her...I told her about what had happened to me with Gordon."

"How did she take it?" Lavender squeezed her hand.

"She took it okay," Hermione replied. "It was so hard for me to drudge up those memories. But, she needed to hear that someone understood what it was like."

"I'm sure that helped," Lavender said. "She's got the best support system."

"She's still having nightmares," Hermione said quietly.

"That’ll probably happen for awhile," Lavender looked over at Saffron again.

"She has an appointment with a therapist next week," Hermione confided. "I hope she'll be able to help her."

"I hope so too," Lavender replied.

"How are things in L.A.?" Hermione asked her.

"Lovely as always," Lavender answered. "I really love it there."

"And I'm sure Seamus likes being so close to Gabe," Hermione commented.

"Gabriel is a dream," Lavender said. "He's such a polite and lovely young man."

"He is," Hermione agreed. "And so smart."

"I just wish things would get better between him and Alexa," Lavender looked over at her stepson. "He misses her so much."

"Things will work out for them," Hermione said. "I know they will."

"I'd do anything I could to give him back what they had," Lavender said.

"I know you would," Hermione said. "You have such a big heart, Lavender."

"Yes, yes," Lavender said modestly.

Hermione laughed. "Don't worry. I won't tell anyone that the big, fashion mogul has a heart."

Lavender poked her. "You old fuddy Minister you."

"Yeah, that's me," Hermione said laughing. "Just an old fuddy duddy."

"Far from it," Harry heard his wife's words. "Just last night--"

"Harry!" Hermione exclaimed.

"What?" he asked innocently.

"You know very well what," Hermione said shaking her head.

"Honestly," Lavender shook her head.

Harry extended his hand to his wife. "Care to dance, my love? You can keep me in line."

"I'm the only one," Hermione took his hand.

Harry held her close. "Forgive me. I forgot that innocent ears were around."

"Uh huh," Hermione smiled at him.

"Happy Christmas, Hermione," Harry whispered looking down at her.

"You too, Harry." Hermione said softly. "You're all I ever wanted... and you gave me more than I could ever hope for."

"I let you down," Harry said quietly. "I let my children down."

"No you have not," Hermione argued.

"I'm going to make it up to all of you," Harry vowed.

"Harry," Hermione objected. "Stop it."

"I know what I did," Harry told her. "And I know what I didn't do. But, they're home now. I'm going to concentrate on that."

"That's the most important thing," Hermione replied. "And that's what I want to hear."

Harry smiled at her. "That's all that matters."

"Exactly," Hermione gave him a kiss.

Gabriel smiled and stood up. "I'll see you all later."

"Where are you going?" Saffron asked.

"I wanted to visit Lexie," Gabriel said. "You know wish her a Merry Christmas. Give her my present."

Saffron smiled. "Good luck. Tell her I'll ring her tonight."

"I will," Gabriel promised.

Hermione helped him use the Floo and moments later, he was dusting himself off in the O'Leary's sitting room.

Patrick and Karen were alone and they looked up in surprise when they saw him. "Gabriel, how nice to see you!"

Gabriel coughed. "Nice to see you too..."

"Happy Christmas, young man," Patrick said getting to his feet. "That mode of travel takes a lot of getting used to."

"It sure does," Gabriel replied. "Don't think I'll ever get used to it."

"Alexa's upstairs in her bedroom," Karen said.

"Mind if I go see her?" Gabriel asked.

"Of course not," Karen said. "I'm sure she'll be happy to see you."

Gabriel nodded and walked upstairs. He could hear the muffled sounds of her crying. Gently, he knocked on the door.

"Who is it?" Alexa asked.

"It's me," he called. "Gabriel. Can I come in?"

"Just a moment," Alexa called back. She took the tissue and wiped at her eyes. A few seconds later, she opened the door. "Hi."

"Happy Christmas," he smiled at her.

"Happy Christmas," Alexa said giving him a slight smile. She stepped forward and gave him a hug.

"You feeling all right?" he asked. "Last time I talked to you, you were so excited about Christmas."

"I'm okay," Alexa lied. "How are you? Saffy must have been over the moon to see you?"

"Of course she was," Gabriel stepped into her room. "And I missed her too. Glad to see her and Ethan home."

"She's been really great," Alexa said sitting back down on her bed. "I missed her so much."

"I bet," Gabriel sat down next to her. "Here... I got you something."

Alexa smiled. "You did? I got you something too."

He smiled. "Great!"

Alexa took the present from him. "You really shouldn't have done that."

"I wanted to," Gabriel said. "Go on, open up."

Alexa unwrapped the small box and gasped when she saw what was inside. "Gabriel...it's beautiful!"

In it was a beautiful, hand crafted quill. "It's for when you're doing your writing," he said. "My dad helped me pick it out."

"Thank you so much," Alexa said lifting it out of the box. "It's lovely!"

"It'll go well with this," Gabriel handed her a larger box. In it was a leather bound journal.

Alexa smiled at him when she opened it. "You're spoiling me, you realise that, right?"

"Of course I do," he replied.

"I love them," Alexa said giving him a peck on the cheek. "Thank you so much."

"You're welcome," he said softly.

Alexa handed him his present. "I hope you like this."

"I'm sure I will," he said unwrapping it.

Alexa bit her bottom lip as she watched him open the present. She'd not really known what to get him to even begin to say thank you for all that he'd done for her these last few months.

"Grey's Anatomy," Gabriel lifted the DVD set out of the box. He chuckled. "This is a great show. Thanks Lexie!"

Alexa laughed. "I know you don't get that much of a chance to watch television now..."

"I always manage to catch this one," Gabriel said. "Thank you."

"I'm glad that you like it," Alexa said smiling at him.

He set the gift down on the bedside table and noticed a photograph of Alexa and RJ beside a box of tissues.

He picked it up. "Was um... was RJ here this morning?"

Alexa nodded, her lower lip trembling.

"What happened?" Gabriel sat back down next to her.

"You don't want to hear about it," Alexa said.

Gabriel put his arm around her. "Tell me."

Alexa sighed. "He came over this morning. Just after we'd finished opening presents..."

Looking back now, she should have known something was wrong. But, she'd been so happy to see him; she hadn't picked up on the signs.

"RJ," Alexa said happily. "I didn't know you were going to stop by!"

"Hey Lexie," RJ smiled at her. "Happy Christmas."

"We should go and start breakfast," Karen said to her husband.

Patrick and Karen left them alone. Alexa walked over and hugged him. "I'm so glad you're here. I have something for you."

"You do?" he asked, slightly in dismay. "Um..."

Alexa grabbed his present from under the tree. "It's not anything big." She'd been knitting with her mother and she'd made him a scarf with Puddlemere's colours.

"Hey," RJ said. "This is great, Lexie. Thanks."

"You really like it?" Alexa asked him.

"It's great," RJ said. "But you shouldn't have, Lexie."

"I wanted to," Alexa said. "You mean a lot to me."

"Lexie..." RJ sighed heavily. "I'm a heel for coming over here today."

Alexa took his hand. "No, you're not."

"Yes I am," RJ said. "Look... I'll always care about you Lexie. You were the first girl I ever loved."

Alexa let go of his hand. "Why do I feel like there's a 'but' coming?"

RJ sighed. "Audrey... she's my girlfriend now. And I love her. And... Things just haven't been right between us for awhile now. I need to be there for her."

"Oh," Alexa said quietly.

"I'll still be here for you," RJ said quickly. "I promise. Just... just not as much."

Alexa didn't know what to say to that. She'd known about his girlfriend, of course, but she hadn't really accepted it until now.

"I'm sorry, Lexie." RJ said. "I really am... I just... I can't lose her. I made that mistake with you and I can't do it again."

"You haven't lost me," Alexa said. "I'm right here. And the only thing I'm sure of is how I feel about you."

"I thought you and Gabe were getting closer," RJ said.

"We are," Alexa said. "But, I'm still getting to know him again."

"He loves you," RJ told her. "He can give you what I can't."

"Because you don't love me anymore," Alexa said looking away from him.

"I meant it when I said I still care about you," RJ replied. "I always will."

"I think you should go," Alexa said quietly.

"Lexie, please..." RJ began.

"You're free," Alexa said. "Go. Don't worry about me."

RJ shook his head. "I'm not leaving like this."

"What else is there to say?" Alexa asked. "Look, I know that you sacrificed your time and you stood by me when you obviously wanted to be somewhere else..."

"That's not fair," RJ said. "I helped you because I wanted to."

Alexa put her head in her hands. "You're right. That wasn't fair. This is just---I'm so frustrated, RJ! I want my memories back!"

"Look I'll still help you any way I can," RJ promised. "I'll always be there when you need to talk. I just need to be there for Audrey too."

"I'm sorry," Alexa said looking at him. "You've been great to me and I'm grateful for that."

RJ put his hand on her shoulder. "This was hard for me to do. I really enjoyed being around you again."

"When we broke up," Alexa asked. "Were we able to still be friends?"

"Not at first," RJ said. "But yeah... later on. We were friends again."

"I'd like us to still be friends," Alexa said softly.

"Me too," RJ said. "Always."

Alexa hugged him. "You were my first love."

"You were mine too," RJ kissed her cheek. "Not something either of us is likely to forget, memory charm or not."

Alexa smiled up at him. "No. Not at all."

"I've got to get going," RJ said. "What are your plans for today?"

"We're supposed to go over to my grandparents' house later," Alexa said. "I imagine you've got a big day at the Burrow."

"Yeah," RJ nodded. "Everyone's coming over."

"Will you wish your family a Happy Christmas for me?" Alexa asked.

"If you'll do the same," RJ replied.

Alexa gave him one last hug. "Take care of yourself, RJ. You're a great guy and Audrey...she's a lucky girl."

"I'm a lucky guy," RJ squeezed her hand. "I'll see you around, Lexie."

"Goodbye, RJ," Alexa said softly.

"Sounds like you two had a... good um... conversation," Gabriel said.

"Yeah," Alexa said rolling her eyes. "But it was my own fault for thinking there was more to it than that."

Gabriel nodded. "Well... now at least you know..."

"Now I know," Alexa agreed. "So...how are your dad and step mum?" She was eager to talk about something else.

"Fine," Gabriel replied. "Glad to be here in England."

"And what about you?" Alexa asked. "Are you happy to be in England?"

"I'm happy to see you," Gabriel said meaningfully.

Alexa smiled at him. "I'm happy to see you, too."

"I've missed you," he said.

"Will you tell me something?" Alexa asked him.

"Sure," Gabriel replied.

"Could you tell me about you and me," Alexa said. "I want to remember and I think hearing about these things will help me. Like---what did we do on our first date?"

Gabriel smiled. "We were actually at my dad's flat here in London. It was Easter and we were watching a movie in his studio."

"Really?" Alexa asked. "What did we watch?"

"To tell you the truth, I don't remember," Gabriel confessed. "I was just happy that you finally told me you had feelings for me too."

Alexa smiled at him and squeezed his hand. "You deserve better than what you've been given lately. I don't know what I would have done if the situation were reversed."

"I know you don't really seem to like hearing it, but I love you," Gabriel said. "That's why I stuck by you."

"Just like you did that day in the bakery," Alexa said softly. "You were pitching in to help me when we were swamped. I was feeling down about RJ and---what?"

"That was the day we kissed for the first time," Gabriel said softly. "You remember..."

Alexa grinned. "I do! I remember! I had---I had flour all over me and you kissed me! Gabe! I remembered!"

He laughed. "It's all coming back, Lexie!"

Alexa threw her arms around him. "I remembered!"

Gabriel hugged her tightly, burying his face in her hair.

"You told me that day that you fancied me," Alexa recalled.

"Yeah," he nodded. "You were still with RJ at that point."

"He was everything to me," Alexa recalled. "And then he started his new career and he wasn't around as much and there you were. I was so confused."

Gabriel put his arm around her. It seemed she was having quite the breakthrough.

"I wish I could remember more," Alexa said softly, resting her head on his shoulder.

"You will," Gabriel said, stroking her hair. "And I'll do anything I can to help you."

"I'm so glad that you're here," Alexa said happily.

"Me too," Gabriel replied, happy to hear the words.

"Are you hungry?" Alexa asked.

"For something you made?" Gabriel asked. "Always."

"So I probably shouldn't tell you I made more chocolate fudge?" Alexa asked teasingly.

"I'm ravenous," Gabriel grinned at her.

"Come on then," Alexa said feeling happier than she'd been all day. "We're going to celebrate!"

Gabriel followed her down the stairs, pleased that they were still holding hands.

"I'll make us some hot chocolate too," Alexa said.

"I'll do it, Lexie," Gabriel said

"You sit," Alexa said smiling at him. "You're my guest."

"But--" Gabriel argued.

Alexa pushed him down into a chair. "Sit, Boyd."

"Yes Ma'am," Gabriel answered.

Alexa grinned. "That's better. Do you want marshmallows?"

"Please," Gabriel said.

Alexa set about making the hot chocolate. "So how is Nico? Still driving you crazy?"

Gabriel laughed. "He wouldn't be Nico if he wasn't."

"What is he up to now?" Alexa asked, putting some fudge on a plate.

"He's at the community college," Gabriel replied. "Causing trouble there."

"But you're there to bail him out," Alexa said setting the plate before him.

"Who else would be," Gabriel smiled.

Alexa walked back to the counter to get their mugs of hot chocolate. "I wish I could remember meeting him. But, the way you've talked about him, I feel like I know him."

"Well with the way you're going, I'm sure his face will pop back into your mind sooner or later," Gabriel watched her.

"Sooner preferably," Alexa sitting down beside him.

"I'm really proud of you Lexie," Gabriel told her.

"Proud of me?" Alexa asked. "What for?"

"You've just handled this situation really well," Gabriel said.

Alexa blushed. "I don't know about that..."

"You have," Gabriel squeezed her hand again. "I think you're amazing."

"You're not so bad yourself," Alexa said softly.

"So I've heard," he replied.

"You are," Alexa said. "And I'm really glad that I've gotten to know you. Again."

"Me too," he said.

Alexa smiled as she watched him eat a piece of fudge. "Good?"

"It's fantastic," he said. "Why don't you have a few pieces?"

"Okay," Alexa said taking a bite.

Gabriel watched her sip her hot chocolate. "So what are your plans for New Year's?"

"Saffy mentioned doing something," Alexa said. "With Beth and Mimi."

"You were going to join them then," Gabriel nodded.

"You could come with us," Alexa said. "Mimi's bringing Jake. And Beth's supposedly in love with some random bloke she wants all of us to meet."

"You wouldn't mind?" Gabriel asked.

"I'd love it," Alexa said sincerely.

"I'd like to take you to dinner first, if you want," Gabriel replied.

Alexa smiled. "I'd like that."

"Fantastic," Gabriel said with a huge grin.

"You have some fudge on your chin," Alexa giggled.

"I do?" Gabriel asked. "How'd that happen?"

"I don't know," Alexa laughed, taking her napkin and wiping at his chin. His hand covered hers. "Gabe," she whispered.

He gazed at her for several long moments before leaning in and pressing his mouth firmly to hers.

Alexa hadn't expected anything like this to happen, but it felt right. She looped her arms around his neck.

He tentatively deepened the kiss, pulling her closer to him.

The way he held her felt familiar and Alexa closed her eyes, giving into the way he was making her feel.

"Lexie," he breathed, tearing his mouth from hers for a moment.

"Whoa," Alexa said breathlessly. She was glad she was sitting because right now her legs felt like jelly.

"I've been waiting to do that for months," Gabriel ran his fingers through her hair.

"That was...wow," Alexa whispered.

"It was," he agreed. "You're so amazing."

Alexa smiled at him. "I know this hasn't been easy for you."

"You're worth it," he told her.

"Can you stay for awhile?" Alexa asked. "We're not leaving for my grandparents' house until later. I'd...I'd really like it if you'd stay."

"I would love to stay," Gabriel wanted to jump for joy.

Alexa grinned. "Really?"

"Absolutely," he nodded.

"So how would you feel about watching some cheesy Christmas movie?" Alexa asked.

Gabriel laughed. "A Christmas Story?"

"That sounds perfect," Alexa said. "I'll fill up another plate with fudge for us. We can watch it in the sitting room."

"Sounds good to me," Gabriel said. "And how about some more hot chocolate?"

"Deal," Alexa said happily getting to work.

Gabriel watched her feeling that for the first time in what felt like forever that things might actually start to go his way where Alexa was concerned. That was the best Christmas present ever.

230. Chapter 230: Christmas at the Burrow

Authors’ note: Tonight is more of Christmas with the action going on at the Burrow. We hope you enjoy!

The Burrow was filled to capacity with Weasleys and Potters. George and his twin brother had seemed to call a truce where Angelina Johnson was concerned and were currently chasing Ron around the backyard.

Casey, Noah, Aidan, Chloe and Adam Weasley sat staring transfixed at the four-year old red-head who was standing before them. Saffron stifled a laugh as she looked at the children.

"I'm the teacher," Emma announced pointing a little finger at them. "You lot better shape up or Em will ship you out!"

"No out," Adam said to his sister.

Emma grabbed the little chalkboard that Arthur and Molly had given her and she picked up a piece of purple chalk. "O-kay. Today, we're going to teach the alphabets."

"A, B, C," Casey sang. "X... J..."

"You have to raise your hand!" Emma scolded, holding up her hand. "Like this!" She looked over her shoulder at Saffron. "Right?"

"Right," Em." Saffron bit her lower lip.

Adam toddled over to Saffron. "Hold?"

"Adam," Emma said. "You're not s'posed to leave class!"

"No Em," Adam said, reaching for Saffron.

Saffron picked him up and sat him in her lap. "Don't worry, Em. Adam's still listening."

Adam shook his head. "No."

"Sassy," Chloe also reached for her. "Hold me!"

Emma put her hands on her hips. "Chloe!"

Chloe looked at her innocently. "I want Sassy."

Saffron took Adam and sat down on the floor. "How about we all sit together and listen to Emma?"

"Kay," Adam said, leaning against her. "Em be nice?"

"Em is always nice," Emma said before getting back to the lesson.

"No," Adam shook his head and looked up at Saffron.

"Em is a sweetheart," Saffron said winking at the little girl.

"I know," Emma grinned.

Saffron couldn't help grinning back. This was the most fun she'd had all day. They'd all been so happy to see her when they'd arrived earlier.

Maddie was watching her sister in law from across the room. "She's going to be happy again," she said softly.

"Did you have a vision, Mads?" Drew asked.

"Just a feeling I have," Maddie replied.

Drew put her arm around her sister. "She and Ethan have been through so much."

"But I'm so happy they're home," Maddie said. "I've never been so happy as I am right now."

"I can tell," Drew said. "And I'm happy that you're happy."

"Thanks Drew," Maddie hugged her sister.

"Darla," Molly said to her granddaughter. "Would you please go and get your father and uncles? Tell them that they're setting a bad example for the little children. I swear, Fred and George are never going to grow up."

Darla laughed. "Come on Nana, they're harmless, right?"

"It's always fun and games until someone gets hurt," Molly said. "And I'm not spending Christmas in St. Mungos."

"Good point," Darla headed for the backyard.

"At least they're not yelling at each other anymore," Hermione pointed out to Molly.

Molly sighed. "That's very true, my dear."

"It's like how these two are when they gang up on me," Josh said pointing at RJ and Jon who both looked up with innocent expressions.

"Gang up on you?" Jon asked. "Ronnie Jr, would we do that?"

"Absolutely not," RJ replied. "We're adults. Adults don't act like that, Joshie."

Josh rolled his eyes. "When is your better half coming?" he asked RJ.

"About an hour," RJ replied. "Nana, do you have any more of those lemon biscuits?"

"For you, anything," Molly beamed at her grandson.

RJ gave her a hug. "Have I told you lately that I love you?"

"I always love hearing it," Molly squeezed him tightly.

"It's freezing out there," Darla said coming back into the house. She dusted snow off her jumper. "I can't find them, Nana."

Molly's eyebrows knit together as she released RJ. "Perhaps they went into the woods."

"Poor Daddy," Drew said shaking her head. "I thought they were going to ease up on him."

"That'll be the day," Darla replied.

"Let a pro handle this," Luna said getting to her feet and opening the backdoor. She flicked her wand in the direction of the stove and the aroma from the food carried out the door.

"DINNER!" Luna yelled at the top of her lungs.

Ron came barrelling out of the woods. "Food's ready?" he asked brightly. "Brilliant!"

"Ronald, what on earth happened to you?" Luna asked as he breezed past her into the house.

Ron grinned. "Wait until you see Fred and George."

Luna hugged him. "You got them?"

Ron laughed as two muddy, colourful figures staggered from the trees.

Drew peered out the window. "Daddy, they don't look very happy..."

"Oh well," Ron replied. "It's about time."

"What happened?" Luna asked as Fred and George stalked into the house.

"That husband of yours tricked us," Fred grumbled. "We thought we had him cornered down by the old pond..."

Ron grinned. "And?"

"He Apparated," George glared at his younger brother. "Just when Fred and me tried to hit him with a stunning spell. Only, we hit each other when he disappeared..."

"And the new eggs we were trying out on Ronnie here backfired," Fred finished gloomily.

"You two need to just admit that someone finally beat you at your own game," Ron said happily. "In fact, Maddie, I might put that memory in my pensieve."

Maddie laughed. "You definitely should."

"You two are dripping mud all over my clean floor!" Molly said to the twins, hitting them with a dish towel. "Go clean yourselves up! And for Merlin's sake! Poor Angelina is all alone in the dining room!"

"I can do something about that," George said.

"Clean up first," Molly told them. "Drew, sweetheart. Can you go and fetch your grandfather. I'm sure poor Brian and Hans are tired of looking at that old rubbish in his barn."

"Be glad to, Mum." Drew grinned at them before heading outside.

Drew hurried out to her grandfather's barn which was overflowing with Muggle artefacts. Her husband and brother-in-law were listening politely as Arthur showed them his latest find.

"Grandpa," she knocked on the door. "Dinner's almost ready."

"Oooh," Arthur said grinning at her. "Of course. Brian and Hans have been humouring me by pretending to care about these things."

"That's not true," Brian protested.

"We had fun, Arthur," Hans agreed. "We wouldn't have come out here otherwise."

Drew grinned at her husband. "Hungry?"

"Absolutely," Brian said putting his arm around her. "How's our munchkin?"

"Enjoying herself with Sassy," Drew leaned against him.

"Let's get you out of the cold," Brian said.

"It's not too bad," Drew said as she shivered.

"Right," Brian said pulling her close to keep her warm.

"You know Chloe's going to go crazy when we open gifts later," Drew told him. "I've had to pull her away from them three times already."

"She does love opening gifts," Brian said. "Like her Mum..."

Drew elbowed his side.

"Ow!" Brian yelped.

"Serves you right," Drew said

They walked back into the house with Hans and Arthur in tow.

"You're just in time," Josh said. "We have to round them up."

"Uh oh," Brian said. "Can't we just ring a bell?"

Drew laughed. "No. Come on."

"And now if you can't count to ten," Emma was saying. "Em gets to eat your dinner."

Adam's lower lip trembled. "No! No eat?"

"Count to ten," Emma told him.

Allison came into the room with the others and Adam toddled over to her. "Mummy! Em mean!"

"What?" Allison picked up her son.

"Em kind of told the kids that they had to count to ten or she'd get to eat their dinner," Saffron told her.

"Emma," Allison said. "That's not how to be a teacher."

Emma looked innocently up at her mother. "I love you, Mummy."

"Emma Madeline," Allison said, trying not to smile.

"More than the sky," Emma said holding up her hands. "More than the whole wide world!"

"Em still mean," Adam shook his head.

"She's not mean," Allison said. "She just went about teaching the wrong way. You're going to get to eat, Adam. I promise."

"Kay," Adam said, resting his head on Allison's shoulder.

Allison patted his back. "Speaking of which, let's go sit before it's all gone."

Saffron knelt down and picked up Chloe. "We'd better hurry, Chloe."

"Eat with Gampa," Chloe told her.

Saffron smiled and kissed the top of her head. "That's right."

"I missed you," Chloe looked up at her innocently.

Saffron felt a lump rise in her throat at the toddler's words. "Oh, I missed you too, Chloe. So much."

Chloe hugged her tightly and gave her a kiss on the cheek.

Drew came up behind them. "Tugging at Sassy's heart strings, munchkin?"

"Like you wouldn't believe," Saffron said as the little girl let go of her.

"She asked about you every day," Drew said softly.

"She's such a sweet girl," Saffron said.

Drew smiled with pride. "Yes, she is. Unless, you tell her no."

"No," Chloe shook her head.

"How could anyone tell you 'no', Chloe?" Saffron asked.

"I don't know," Chloe spread her hands apart.

Drew and Saffron laughed at this as they headed into the dining room.

Lizzy and Josh were trying to gather up the triplets.

"Aidan, run!" Casey squealed.

"You guys, we're not playing a game," Lizzy said reaching for Casey. "We're going to go eat. Come on."

"I run!" Noah dashed away from his father.

Josh looked at his wife. Where did they get all this energy?"

"I wish they'd bottle some and give it to me," Lizzy said dryly.

"Case!" Aidan grabbed his sister's hand. "Go! Go!"

Casey squealed as Aidan propelled the two of them into the dining room.

Noah ran after them. "Wait! Wait for Noah!"

Josh sighed. "We need six arms apiece."

"I'll give you a hand," RJ said grabbing Noah. "Come here, you little monster!"

"No!" Noah squealed.

"It's the chair for you," RJ said with an evil laugh. He set Noah down in his high chair. "Haha!"

Noah stuck his tongue out at RJ.

RJ mussed his nephew's hair. "You'd better be good. Remember, we still have to open presents."

"Santa?" Noah asked.

"That's right," RJ said. "So you'd better be good."

Lizzy finally managed to get a hold of Aidan. "Gotcha!"

"Nooooo!" Aidan wailed.

"Only good little boys and girls get to open their presents," Lizzy said breathlessly putting her son in his chair beside Noah.

"I'm a good girl!" Casey screeched. "Am too a good girl!"

Josh picked her up. "Well, let's get you in your chair, Miss Casey Weasley."

"Eat now?" Casey asked.

"Yes," Emma said happily. She pointed at a dish of turkey. "I want that! And I want potatoes! And I want some of that orange stuff! And some of that! And ooooh! Some of that!"

Jon laughed. "We'll get you some of everything, Em. Don't worry."

Emma was sitting beside Ron who looked about as happy as his granddaughter.

"The two of you have the exact same looks on your face," Harry said.

"Sheer joy," Ron said rubbing his two hands together. Emma did the same causing everyone to laugh.

"Yum, yum, yum!" Emma bounced in her seat.

Molly laughed. "Ronald, Emma is just like you!"

"Just like Grandpa," Emma nodded. "And Aunt Mad."

"The only difference is Aunt Mad will eat off my plate," Ethan said nudging his wife.

"And Uncle Ethan will let me," Maddie nudged him back.

"Uncle Ethan never has a choice," Ethan said chuckling.

"Can I eat off Uncle Ethan's plate too?" Emma asked.

"If you did that, Ethan wouldn't have any food," Allison said with a grin.

"And you don't want me to starve, right Em?" Ethan asked.

Emma shook her head. "No way!"

"That's a relief," Ethan grinned at her.

"Before we eat," Arthur said standing beside his wife. "I just wanted to say how nice it is to have all of you here with us today. Our family has grown by leaps and bounds over the years and nothing gives us more pleasure than to watch the grandchildren grow up before our eyes. I can remember when Allison, Jon, Josh, Lizzy, Julie, Ethan, Nick, Maddie, Drew and Darla used to run around here as kids..."

"And now you're all here with your own kids," Molly added, tears in her eyes.

Arthur put an arm around her. "It's okay, love."

"No need for waterworks," Ron called out.

"I can't help it," Molly sobbed.

"And we're also so happy to have our Ethan and Saffy home with us for the holidays," Arthur continued, his arm still around his wife. "Safe and sound."

"Here, here!" Harry exclaimed raising his glass.

Ethan grinned. "And to my beautiful wife, for giving me the best gift in the world."

Maddie leaned over and kissed his cheek.

"And to Arthur and Molly for hosting this mad group nearly every year," Hermione said with a smile.

"And managing to keep the Burrow in one piece," Darla chimed in.

Everyone toasted, even the small kids who had no idea what was going on.

"Tuck in," Molly said sitting back down.

"With pleasure," Ron dug into his meal.

Emma grabbed her fork and looked down at her plate. She didn't know where to start.

"Try some of the turkey with the potatoes," Ron told his granddaughter.

Emma happily took a bite. "Yummy!"

"That's my girl," Ron said proudly.

"This is really delicious, Nana," Saffron said. "You outdid yourself."

"It's in your honour, love." Molly told her. "Yours and Ethan's."

"Sassy's back," Chloe said before taking a sip of her juice.

Saffron smiled as RJ guffawed.

"What?" Saffron asked. "I like that name."

"Suits you," RJ teased her.

"I think so too," Saffron said breaking off a piece of her bread roll and throwing it at him.

"Fight?" Noah asked, a piece of food poised in his little hand.

Lizzy put her hand out. "No, no. Put that down, Noah. No fight."

"Yes," Noah said.

"No waste food," Casey said looking at her cousin.

Emma nodded. "That's good Case. You get full marks!"

Casey beamed at her. "Yay, me!"

"Me too," Noah said.

Katie looked at Caroline. "What on earth are they talking about?"

Caroline smiled. "They were playing school earlier, remember?"

"Oh yeah," Katie shrugged.

"What were you two doing?" Luna asked them. "You were upstairs for a long time."

"Just playing with makeup," Caroline said,.

"We're going to start wearing makeup to school," Katie announced. "Right, Caroline?"

"I beg your pardon?" Jon asked, looking at his daughter.

"I second that," Nick said.

"Ease up, Nicholas," Katie said waving her hand. "I'm nine, nearly 10."

"Nicholas?" Nick asked, taken aback.

"And ease up?" Julie asked, her eyebrows raised.

"Caroline and me aren't kids anymore, Julie," Katie announced. "Right, Caroline?"

"Well," Caroline hedged.

"Did I miss the moment when you turned 18?" Nick asked. "And since when do you call me Nicholas, Katie?"

"Come on," Katie said. "All the cool kids do it."

"Allison, can you pass the potatoes?" Caroline asked, trying this out.

"Caroline," Allison said sternly.

Caroline looked down at her plate. "That felt really weird. I'm sorry, Mummy."

Allison nodded. "It should feel weird. We're still your parents, and we always will be, no matter how old we are."

"Fine," Katie said rolling her eyes.

"Katherine Rose," Nick said. "We are going to have a talk when we get home later."

"Poor Nick and Julie," Drew whispered to Darla. "Katie's going to be a handful. She's not even hit her teens yet."

"I know," Darla replied quietly. "Hopefully she'll take a cue from Ashley."

"I don't see that happening," Drew whispered back.

"Probably not," Darla agreed.

"Maybe they'll get along like we always have," Drew said. "Someday."

Darla smiled. "I'm glad you me and Maddie always got along."

"Though, we did have our moments," Drew laughed. "Especially when I kicked Dolly's cage."

Darla giggled. "You were terrible!"

"I was determined!" Drew said defensively. "I wanted us to move back here!"

"We finally got our way," Darla nudged her.

"I like us all being together like this," Drew said. "That's the way it should be."

"Not all of us," Darla said. "Uncle Percy and Aunt Ginny aren't here. Uncle Charlie's stuck in Romania and Bill and Fleur are spending Christmas in Paris."

Nick shook his head. "I'm sorry, but I'm glad my mother isn't here."

"Nicholas, I know Ginevra wasn't the best mother to you," Molly said in defence of her youngest daughter. "But I believe in my heart that one day, she'll come home where she belongs."

Nick shrugged. "I wouldn't hold my breath, Nana. Not as long as my father's around."

"I still hold out hope," Molly said. "I'll never give up on her or on my Percy."

Fred and George rolled their eyes at that one but said nothing.

"Me too," Ashley said softly.

Julie put a comforting hand on her daughter's shoulder.

"Ethan, when do you go back to work?" George asked, eager to get the conversation away from his estranged siblings.

"After the holidays," Ethan said. "I um... I have to sort of... repeat some of the training." his face turned red.

"A formality," Harry said. "You'll pass with flying colours, Ethan."

"I hope so," Ethan said. "If I didn't always just dash in without thinking..."

"I’ve been known to do that too," Harry told him.

"Yeah," Ethan shrugged.

"I've still got an assault charge to beat," Harry said.

"You'll get through that," Hermione told him.

"No jury in the world would convict you, Daddy," Saffron said.

"Thanks baby," Harry said. "I think it'll be okay- he'll probably just want to reach a settlement."

"What's that?" Katie asked.

"Where I have to pay him." Harry explained.

"That's not fair, Grandpa," Katie said.

"I know, sweetheart," Harry told her. "But that's how it is."

"Trial will probably be a media circus," Ron commented.

"Most likely," Harry agreed. "We're hoping to settle it out of court."

"I hope so too," Saffron said quietly.

Maddie heard Kiera start crying in the other room. "Pardon me," she said, getting up.

Ethan got up, too. "I'll go with."

Maddie took his hand as they headed for the bedroom. "I bet she's hungry."

"She has quite the appetite," Ethan said eager to see his daughter again.

"She is a Weasley," Maddie grinned as Ethan reached into the pram.

"Baby girl," Ethan said soothingly. He picked her up and hugged her to him.

Kiera's sobs stifled as her father held her.

Ethan patted her back. "I bet you were just feeling ignored, weren't you?"

Maddie smiled. "She loves you."

"How could she not?" Ethan said with a grin. "I'm handsome, charming..."

"The love of my life," Maddie said with a laugh.

"She is absolutely perfect," Ethan said softly.

"Yes she is," Maddie agreed.

"Baby," Ethan leaned down and kissed Kiera on the forehead.

"Let's see if she's hungry," Maddie said, preparing to feed her daughter.

"I bet she is," Ethan said watching as his wife sat down in the rocking chair.

Maddie nodded as Kiera nursed. "I thought so."

"Mother's intuition?" Ethan asked.

"You could say that," Maddie smiled.

Ethan sat down. "This all seems so surreal."

"Having a baby?" Maddie asked.

Ethan nodded. "Yeah."

"We've wanted it for so long," she replied.

"Way too long," Ethan said. "And here she is."

"We got lucky," Maddie said.

"We sure did," Ethan said softly.

Maddie rested her head on Ethan's shoulder as he sat down next to her.

"I want to thank you for agreeing to stay at my parents," Ethan said. "I know you want things to get back to normal..."

"You're home with me," Maddie said. "That's all I really care about."

"I love you, Mads," Ethan said.

"I love you too," Maddie said softly.

"You know, you never said what you wanted to do for New Year's," Ethan said. "But I was hoping we could just stay at home and be with our baby girl and Blue."

"That sounds good to me," Maddie said. "Will and Frankie mentioned something about getting together. Perhaps we can have them over."

"Kiera's first play date," Ethan joked.

Maddie smiled. "She'll grow up to be best friends with Izzie."

"And marry Nathan?" Ethan asked. "Wait---no. My little girl is never going to get married and she's never going to date."

Maddie laughed. "Already the protective father are we?"

"Absolutely," Ethan said.

Kiera finished nursing and cooed up at them.

Maddie smiled down at her daughter. "Happy Christmas, love."

Ethan took her and put her on his shoulder. "I know it won't always be this easy, but I'm just still in awe over her."

Maddie knew just what her husband meant. "I know. I notice something new and different about her every single day."

"She has your smile," Ethan said as he patted Kiera's back gently.

"I bet she'll have my look, too," Maddie said. "Though, she doesn't need it. She has you wrapped around her little finger."

"She sure does," Ethan said softly. "From the first moment I saw you holding her..."

Maddie smiled at him. "Love at first sight."

"You know something," Ethan looked over at her. "That first night I saw you twirling in the snow... I think I fell in love with you then."

"If I'd only known that was what it would take, I'd have done that sooner," Maddie said. "I loved you for a long time, Ethan."

"Forgive me for being a blind prat?" Ethan asked.

"You finally came around," Maddie said standing up. "That's what matters to me."

Ethan also stood. "I think she wants to join us out there."

"She wants to be a part of the action," Maddie said. "Come on. Let's bring her down."

Ethan set Kiera into her little carrier and picked it up.

Molly squealed when she saw the baby. "Oh, Madeline!"

Maddie smiled. "She wants to see her Nana."

"She's an angel," Molly gushed. "An absolute angel."

Saffron smiled. "Can I hold her?"

"Of course," Ethan said setting the carrier down and picking up Kiera.

Saffron carefully took her niece into her arms. "Hello gorgeous."

"I can't stop looking at her eyes," Ashley said.

"They're so neat," Saffron agreed, looking down at Kiera.

"She's going to break a lot of hearts," Arthur said winking at Maddie.

"Not on my watch," Ethan said immediately.

Hermione grinned at Harry. "He sounds just like you."

"A father has to watch out for his daughter," Harry said.

"And scare the poor blokes off?" Julie asked teasingly.

Ethan and Harry both nodded.

Saffron rolled her eyes. "Don't listen to them, Kiera."

"We'll set her right," Maddie said conspiratorially.

"Absolutely," Saffron agreed.

"Brat," Ethan said with a grin.

"Golden child," Saffron countered with a grin.

"What does that make me?" Julie asked.

"Green with envy?" Ethan suggested.

The whole table, including Julie, laughed at that.

"It's not easy being the favourite," George said to Ethan. "Having everyone be jealous of you..."

"Like you would know how that feels," Ron shot back.

"Everyone knows that I'm the favourite," Fred said.

"Not bloody likely either," Ron said.

"Who is the favourite then?" Fred asked. "You?"

"Of course," Ron answered.

Fred cackled. "Yeah, right."

"Charlie's the favourite," Harry said with a smirk.

Molly hit him playfully on the shoulder. "I'll have you know that I do not have favourites. I love all my children equally."

"And your extended family," Arthur said with a grin.

"Well, in our family, Ethan's the golden child," Saffron said. "He never had a curfew. He could do pretty much what he wanted..."

"So could you," Ethan said. "You have Dad wrapped around your little finger."

"I do not," Saffron said. "And I'll remind you that I always had a curfew."

"Midnight," Ethan replied.

"And I bet Dad didn't mind when YOU started dating," Saffron said.

"I liked the blokes you've dated," Harry protested.

"You scared poor Peter to death!" Saffron reminded him.

RJ smiled. "Andrew was terrified of you."

"Not to mention what you did to the blokes that dated me," Julie said. "Saffy's right. There is a bit of a double standard where boys are involved."

Harry coughed. "Fun as this is to rehash..."

"Careful, Daddy," Saffron teased. "You're squirming."

"I just want you to be happy, baby." Harry said.

"I am, Daddy," Saffron said. "Now that I'm home with all of you."

Harry smiled. "What I wanted most."

"Here, here," Hermione said raising her glass.

RJ looked over at Saffron, who was still cuddling Kiera. "Andrew wanted me to tell you Happy Christmas," he said quietly.

"Oh?" Saffron asked trying to keep her voice neutral. She'd thought an awful lot about Andrew these last few days. "He's...he's in Italy, isn't he?"

"Yeah..." RJ said.

"That's nice," Saffron said. "Really nice."

"He misses you," RJ told her.

Saffron looked across the table at him. "RJ..."

"Just saying," RJ replied hastily.

Saffron told herself not to get her hopes up where Andrew was concerned. For all intents and purposes, he was with Natalia now.

"I like Natalia," RJ said. "She's really nice. But she's not you, Saf. The two of you were made for one another. And I really think he's still in love with you."

"I used to say the same about you and Alexa and now you're both with other people," Saffron reminded him. "Andrew's...Andrew's with the person he wants to be with, RJ."

"I don't know about that," RJ shook his head.

"I do," Saffron said firmly. "Besides, I'm going to be busy enough starting my new career and spoiling my new niece."

"And spending time with your fantastic team mate?" RJ asked her with a smile.

"Which team-mate would that be?" Saffron asked dryly.

"Me, of course," RJ said. "Unless you want to go and spend all sorts of time with Daniel, the reserve seeker."

"Oh, yeah," Saffron asked. "He's my new dream guy."

RJ scoffed. "Not nearly as fun as yours truly."

"No one's that fun," Saffron said shaking her head and laughing.

RJ grinned. "I could always get you to laugh."

"Yes, you could," Saffron said handing Kiera back to Maddie.

"The team's really looking forward to having you play," RJ told her seriously.

"I'm looking forward to starting," Saffron said. "I know I'm a bit rusty..."

"I'll practise with you anytime you want," RJ said.

"Thanks," Saffron said sincerely. "I'd like that."

"Anything you want," RJ said.

"That’d be great," Saffron said. "Maybe we could set something up for after the New Year?"

"Sure," RJ nodded. "Sounds good to me."

"When would your first match be, Saffy?" Ashley asked.

"I'm not sure," Saffron said. "Whenever the team captain feels I'm ready."

"You're going to get right back into it," RJ told her. "I know you will."

"I've missed it," Saffron said. "It's what I was born to do."

I'll be there watching you.

Saffron paled. She'd just heard Gordon Devereaux’s voice but that was impossible. He was in Azkaban.

"What's wrong, sweetheart?" Hermione noticed the look on her daughter's face.

"N-nothing," Saffron stammered.

That's my sweet Saffron Grace.

"Saffy," Hermione put her hand on her daughter's arm.

Saffron flinched. "DON'T TOUCH ME!"

The entire table stopped talking and stared at her.

Saffron shakily got to her feet as she saw Gordon Devereaux coming toward her. "Don't run away, my love."

"STAY AWAY FROM ME!" Saffron shouted.

Harry quickly got up. "Come on Saffy. Let's go in the other room."

"Daddy, he's here!" Saffron exclaimed, looking at her father with pleading eyes. "He's here!"

"No he's not, baby," Harry said soothingly as he and Hermione took Saffron into the kitchen.

Saffron looked at her mother. "Mum...I heard him! He was there!"

"He's in Azkaban, sweetheart," Hermione said softly. "He can't hurt you anymore."

Saffron started to cry and Harry took her in his arms. "It's okay," Harry soothed. "He's not here, Saffron. I promise."

"I just can't forget him," Saffron sobbed. "I always feel like he's watching me."

"You will forget him, baby," Harry told her. "It's going to take some time, but you'll get past this."

Saffron shook her head. "He said he'd always be watching me."

Harry held her while she cried, wishing he could do something to take away her pain.

Hermione smoothed down her daughter's hair. "Sweetheart, believe us when we say he can't hurt you. We'll never let him. Not again."

"Promise?" Saffron asked softly.

"I promise," Hermione said. "It's possible he'll be given the kiss."

Saffron hugged her mother. She wanted to believe her.

Hermione kissed the side of her head. "We'd never lie to you, baby."

"I'm sorry for scaring everyone and ruining the dinner," Saffron said still holding onto her mother.

"You didn't ruin anything," Harry told her.

"Why don't you get her a glass of water, Harry?" Hermione suggested.

"Sure," Harry went over to the sink.

He came back a few moments later with a glass of ice water. Saffron gratefully took it. "Thanks, Daddy."

"Anything for you, sweetheart." Harry replied.

"Will you make me a dreamless potion for tonight?" Saffron asked. "I really don't want to have another nightmare."

"Sure," Harry agreed. "Soon as we get home."

Saffron took another sip of her water.

"Everything okay?" Julie asked from the doorway.

"I think so," Hermione smiled at her older daughter.

"I hope I didn't scare the little kids," Saffron said. "I didn't mean to..."

"They're all right," Julie reassured her. "Just worried."

"We all are," Hermione said. "Oh, sweetheart. This will get better. Your father's right. You'll put this behind you and move on."

Saffron shrugged. "I hope so."

"You ready to go back or do you want to sit in here for a few minutes?" Hermione asked her.

"Just a few more minutes," Saffron gulped down some more water.

"I'll let everyone know you're okay," Julie said.

"Thanks Jules," Saffron said gratefully. "Can... can you tell Ethan to come in here?"

"Sure," Julie said. "I'll get him."

Ethan was there in a flash. "Saffy?"

Saffron looked at her parents. "Can you give us a minute, please?"

"Sure, baby," Harry took his wife's hand.

When they were alone, Saffron looked at her brother. "I--I just feel like no one else understands what we went through but you."

"Its okay Saf," Ethan sat down next to her. "Tell me what happened in there."

"I heard his voice in my head," Saffron told him. "He said he would always be watching me."

"Sometimes I hear it too," Ethan said. "I just keep telling myself that he can't get to me again."

"But you never told me," Saffron said. "I thought you weren't having any problems."

"I have nightmares too," Ethan told her.

"Really?" Saffron asked.

"Sure," Ethan nodded. "But I have to stay strong. I have a family to support now."

"Ethan, what if I can't put this behind me?" Saffron asked.

"You will, Saf." Ethan said. "I know you will."

"I'm not used to feeling this way," Saffron said. "Feeling like I have no control over anything."

"You'll get back to how you were before," Ethan squeezed her hand. "I'll help you any way I can, Saf."

"I know you have Kiera now, but could I call you sometimes to talk?" Saffron asked.

"Anytime," Ethan said.

"Love you, Ethan," Saffron hugged him.

"I love you too, brat." Ethan said affectionately.

"If anything good came out of this, you and I are closer than we've ever been," Saffron said grinning at him.

"That's true," Ethan smiled back at her. "Not such a bad thing."

"Mum and Dad will be pleased," Saffron said.

"That you finally saw me for the perfect bloke that I am?" Ethan asked.

Saffron rolled her eyes. "Perfectly conceited."

"There's my bratty little sister," Ethan nudged her.

Saffron nudged him back. "Thanks, Ethan."

"Ready to go back in?" he asked.

Saffron nodded. "I think so."

"Good," Ethan helped her up.

Emma ran toward Saffron the moment she walked back into the dining room. "Saf, okay?"

"I'm okay Em," Saffron hugged the little redhead.

"I'm going to sit with you, 'kay?" Emma asked.

"That'd be great, Em." Saffron said.

Saffron sat back down in her chair and Emma climbed on her lap.

"Dessert time," Emma told her.

"My favourite," Saffron said.

"Em will help you eat," Emma replied.

Saffron kissed the top of her head. "Thanks, Em."

"Don’t' be sad," Noah said from across the table.

Saffron smiled at him. "I'm not sad, Noah. I'm---I'm very happy that I have a family like this."

"We all love you Saffy," Molly told her.

"Thanks, Nana," Saffron said feeling tears welling up in her eyes.

"Dessert time!" Emma said, banging her fork on the table.

Saffron laughed and wiped at her eyes. "You heard her. It's dessert time. Bring on the chocolate!"

Molly laughed too. "Coming right up."

231. Chapter 231

Authors’ note: Tonight starts a new storyline for a couple of characters who haven’t really gotten a turn in the spotlight. We hope you enjoy the chapter!

Later that evening, RJ picked up Audrey and they headed back to his place. "Andrew's still in Italy so we'll at least get the place to ourselves."

"Oh, okay," Audrey said. "I'm really sorry about not getting to stop by and see your family."

"Don't worry about it," RJ said. "There will be other times."

"How was it?" Audrey asked. "Full house?"

"Like you wouldn't believe," RJ shook his head.

"Did you see Alexa?" Audrey asked.

RJ hesitated. "Well..."

"It didn't go well?" Audrey asked.

"I told her I was backing off," RJ looked at her. "To spend more time with you."

"Oh," Audrey said. "And she didn't take it very well?"

"Not really," RJ answered.

"I know that wasn't easy for you to do," Audrey said softly. "I know how much she means to you."

"I still care about her," RJ put his arms around Audrey. "But I'm in love with you."

Audrey smiled at him. "I just didn't want to make you choose. I know that you're still friends with her and I'd never ask you to give that up."

"That's why you're the best," RJ replied. "Not many girls would have stuck by a bloke during a time like that."

"I can't imagine what that was like for her," Audrey said. "Losing two years of your life like that."

"I wouldn't ever want to imagine that," RJ said opening the door for her.

"Thanks," Audrey said stepping inside. "When's Andrew due back?"

"Tomorrow, I think." RJ answered.

"That's very romantic," Audrey said. "Spending Christmas in Italy with the girl you love..."

"Hinting?" RJ teased.

Audrey laughed. "No. I was just saying it was nice for them to get away like that. I know they've had some problems lately."

RJ nodded. "This stays between you and me... but I really don't think Andrew's in love with Natalia."

Audrey frowned. "Has he said something to you?"

"No," RJ said. "Just my opinion. I still think he's in love with Saffron."

"Oh," Audrey said shaking her head. "Poor Natalia."

"Just don't say anything," RJ said. "I'm not completely sure."

"I wouldn't," Audrey promised. She took off her coat and set it on the chair.

"You never have to worry about that," RJ grinned at her. "You're the only girl for me."

Audrey smiled. "I just feel bad for Natalia is all. She really loves him."

"I know," RJ said. "But maybe in time he'll feel the same for her."

"I hope so," Audrey said. She had spent a lot of time with Natalia and Andrew. She didn't know Saffron very well.

"Let's not think about them tonight," RJ said, drawing her close.

"Right," Audrey said softly.

He leaned in and kissed her.

"Mmmmm," Audrey murmured, resting her head on his shoulder.

"I got you something," RJ said, nudging her ear.

"You did?" Audrey asked with a grin.

"It's right in there," RJ replied.

Audrey stood up. "What did you do, RJ Weasley?"

"Close your eyes," RJ said impishly.

Audrey did as he asked. "Okay, they're closed."

Earlier that day RJ had placed some candles and rose petals around a blanket near the fireplace. He'd bought her a promise ring and wanted to make things as romantic as possible when he gave it to her.

"I'm going to hold on to you," Audrey said grabbing his arm. "So I don't trip and fall."

"I won't let you fall," RJ guided her to the sitting room.

"You'd better not," Audrey giggled.

"Okay," RJ said. "Open."

Audrey opened her eyes and gasped. "RJ..."

"Happy Christmas," he said softly.

Audrey looked at him. "I can't believe you did this! This is amazing!"

RJ grinned. "This isn't your present, you know."

"There's more?" Audrey asked.

"Sit," RJ said, bringing her to the blanket. "Champagne?"

"Yes, please," Audrey replied.

RJ poured them both glasses as he waved his wand at the fireplace, starting it up.

"Now who's showing off?" Audrey teased.

"Just a bit," RJ said leaning in to kiss her.

"This is, without a doubt, the most romantic thing anyone has ever done for me," Audrey said before pressing her lips to his.

RJ ran his hand through her hair. "I love you, Aud."

"I love you too," Audrey whispered.

They kissed for several minutes before RJ pulled back. "Here's your real present," he said, handing her the small box.

Audrey was smiling as she took the present from him and slowly unwrapped it.

RJ looked expectantly at her as she opened the box.

"Oh, RJ,'" Audrey whispered. "It's absolutely beautiful."

"It's a promise ring," he said softly.

"Will you put it on for me?" Audrey asked.

"Sure," RJ took her hand in his and slid the ring on. To his relief, it fit perfectly.

"You're the best," Audrey said giving him a kiss.

"The best for you," RJ told her.

"I just hope you like what I got for you," Audrey said. "Stay right here. I need to go and get it."

"Okay," RJ said as she hurried to the hallway.

She returned with a big box. "You have no idea how hard it is to stop for someone who has everything."

"I hardly have everything," RJ said, taking the box and unwrapping it.

"I know it's not a designer coat," Audrey said when he pulled the leather coat out of the box. "But---"

"This is great!" RJ said. "I've never owned a coat before!"

"Well, since you're dating a Muggle, I figured you might need one to blend in," Audrey said grinning at him.

"It's great," RJ said, pulling it on. "How do I look?"

"Smashing," Audrey said grinning at him. "Just like a Muggle!"

RJ grabbed her up and spun her around.

Audrey laughed. "You like it?"

"Love it," RJ gave her a kiss. "Love you, too."

Audrey fixed the collar of his coat. "You do look quite handsome, Mr. Weasley."

"Thank you," RJ grinned at her. "Have to look good for my girl."

"And those groupies," Audrey said putting her hand on her forehead and pretending to swoon.

"They don't hold a candle to you," RJ poked her.

"They just like looking at your bum on your broom," Audrey said with a grin.

"What about you?" RJ asked.

"It's definitely a perk," Audrey said looping her arms around his neck.

RJ kissed her thoroughly.

"I'm crazy about you," Audrey said softly.

"That's good," RJ said. "Because I'm completely mad about you as well."

"I know it hasn't been an easy last few months for us," Audrey said.

"No it hasn't," RJ shook his head. "But we can change that."

"And maybe I can become friends with Saffron and Alexa," Audrey said thoughtfully. "I know how important they are to you and I want them to like me."

RJ smiled. "Thanks, Audrey. I'm sure they'll love you."

"How is she?" Audrey asked. "Saffron. She must be so happy to be home."

"She is," RJ nodded. "It's going to take time to get past what happened."

"I can't imagine what that must have been like," Audrey said. "For her or for her family."

"It was rough," RJ said as they sat down together. "For all the trouble Saf and I have had in the past year or so, we were still always really close growing up."

"Tell me about that," Audrey said eagerly.

"About us growing up?" RJ asked. "Well our families have always been close and we just were always around each other."

Audrey smiled. "I think your mum said that she used to follow you around."

"But if you ask her, she'll tell you I followed her," RJ laughed.

Audrey laughed, too. "I'll have to ask her. Maybe she can tell me some funny stories about you."

"I'll have to talk to her first," RJ teased. "Bribe her not to reveal anything too embarrassing."

"There's no fun in that," Audrey protested. "I have to know these things."

RJ groaned. "Maddie already told you about the faery thing."

Audrey stifled a laugh. "I know. Look, if it makes you feel any better, I can tell you about something stupid I did when I was a kid."

"Spill," RJ put his arm around her.

"Okay," Audrey said. "But you better not tell another soul."

"My lips are sealed," RJ promised.

"Okay," Audrey said blushing as she recalled the memory. "I was about three years old. My parents were having a garden party. I wanted to go swimming in my little baby pool, but they said I couldn't because of the party."

"So you went in anyway?" RJ guessed.

"Well, it's not that easy," Audrey said. "I was dressed up in this frilly little sundress that itched. When my mum wasn't looking, I kicked off my sandals and took off my dress and proceeded to run around the yard completely starkers."

RJ laughed. "I'd have liked to see that."

"You can if you talk to my Aunt Louise," Audrey blushed. "She caught the whole thing on tape!"

"Fantastic," RJ replied.

"Oh yeah," Audrey said sarcastically. "They used to play it at every family gathering until I begged and pleaded for them to stop."

"I guess we were made for each other. You starkers and me a faery."

Audrey giggled. "The perfect couple."

"That's right," RJ snuggled her closer.

"So what did you want to do for New Year?" Audrey asked him.

"I'm not sure," RJ said thoughtfully. "Andrew and I were thinking of having a party here."

"That could be cool," Audrey said.

"You're not working?" RJ asked.

"I pulled the afternoon shift so I have the evening off," Audrey said with a grin.

"Great," RJ replied.

Audrey leaned against him and closed her eyes.

"Tired?" he asked her softly.

"A little," Audrey admitted. "This nice fire, champagne, and my wonderful boyfriend..."

RJ buried his nose in her hair. "I'm happy I'm here with the best girlfriend."

"Happy Christmas, RJ," Audrey whispered.

"You too, love." RJ replied.

Audrey turned and gave him a kiss. "Thank you for tonight."

"I'd do anything to make you happy," RJ told her.

"I feel the same way," Audrey said smiling at him.

"What do you want to do tomorrow?" he asked.

"I was planning on hitting the shops," Audrey said. "Big sales, you know."

"Of course," RJ replied. "Have fun with that."

"You just said you'd do anything to make me happy," Audrey reminded him.

RJ had a pained expression. "Shopping?"

"Why not?" Audrey asked. "It's fun and there's going to be some great sales."

"I guess," RJ muttered.

"Come on," Audrey said. "You can hold my bags while I try things on...."

"Come on Aud," RJ whined.

Audrey laughed. "Don't worry. I wouldn't put you through that. My cousin Becca and I are going tomorrow. I'll let you off the hook."

RJ sighed in relief. "I'll make you dinner then."

Audrey hit him playfully on the arm. "You should have seen the look on your face!"

"Very funny," RJ squeezed her side.

"I would never put you through the torture of shopping!" Audrey exclaimed with an evil laugh.

"Tell that to all the girls who do drag their boyfriends around, would you?" RJ asked.

Audrey laughed. "I will warn them all tomorrow. I promise."

"Well maybe we should get you rested up so you're ready," RJ said.

"You don't mind?" Audrey asked.

"Nah," RJ said. "I was up early with the kids."

"I promise I'll make it up to you tomorrow night," Audrey said with a grin.

"I'm counting on that," RJ kissed her neck.

"You are perfect, you realise that?" Audrey said softly.

"I'm perfect for you, and that's all that matters," RJ said.

"Even if you aren't into shopping," Audrey said with a grin.

*** *** ***

Drew and Darla didn't have any big weddings scheduled until after the new year, but they were both putting in some hours at the office to meet with a few potential clients and to tie up some loose ends.

"I am so glad that Valencia Talbot cancelled on us today," Darla commented to her sister. "If you looked up the term 'bridezilla' in the dictionary, her picture would be right beside it."

"I know," Drew agreed. "And I'm so not in the mood for that."

"I feel sorry for that poor fiancé of hers," Darla said. "That poor bloke has no idea what he's in for."

"I give it a year," Drew turned her calendar.

"I give it six months," Darla commented. "You heard that she asked her bridesmaids to sign a contract that they wouldn't gain any weight, didn't you?"

"And they can't cut their hair," Drew added.

Darla shook her head. "And those demands of hers! The other day, she rang and asked if I thought it was possible to schedule her wedding at Buckingham Palace. I thought she was joking. But, she was serious, Drew. Completely serious."

Drew shook her head. "I can't wait until her wedding is over."

"You and me both," Darla said leaning back in her chair. "Hey, Drew?"

"Yeah?" Drew looked up.

"How about we cut out of here and go downstairs to the coffee shop and get something fattening. My treat," Darla asked her.

Drew pulled her eyebrows together. "Sure..."

Darla grinned. "I was hoping you'd say that."

She and her sister were just putting on their cloaks when the door to their office swung open and Hans entered. Darla was surprised to see him because he'd been in New York the past couple of days meeting with his American booking agent.

"Hans?" Darla asked. "What on earth---?"

Her words were cut off when Hans swung her around, giving her a kiss.

Drew giggled. "That's quite a welcome, Dar."

"I'll say," Darla said breathlessly. "What are you doing home?"

"I had to see you," Hans said.

"How about I go and get those coffees for us?" Drew asked. "You can meet me downstairs." She could tell that Hans wanted to be alone with his wife.

"Thanks Drew," Darla said.

"Thanks, Drew," Hans said grinning at her.

Darla waited until she was alone with her husband. "What's going on?"

"The most amazing thing has happened," Hans said excitedly. "Sit down...no stand up. No...you aren't going to believe this..."

Darla laughed. "Tell me!"

"Okay," Hans said. "You remember those print ads I did for that jeans company, right?"

Darla nodded. "Calvin Klein?"

"I had no idea how well they were received especially in the States," Hans said. "Until----until I saw the billboard they have of me in ...Times Square, Dar."

Darla's eyes widened. "You have a billboard in TIMES SQUARE?"

Hans reached into his pocket and pulled out the pictures he'd taken. "Can you believe it?"

"That's amazing!" Darla said. "Hans, I'm so proud of you!"

"It gets better," Hans said grinning at her. "On New Year's Eve, they're going to announce that I'm their official male model. We're talking print ads, commercials, promotional spots. My agent even thinks I might be able to break into film and TV roles."

Darla threw her arms around her husband. "Hans that's wonderful!"

Hans hugged her tightly. "I can't believe this is all happening, Dar. I've worked so hard all these years and now it's all falling into place."

"It's paid off," Darla gave him a kiss. "Your face is going to be everywhere."

"I signed the contract last night," Hans told her. "And I was hoping you'd be there with me on New Year's when they make the announcement."

"I wouldn't be anywhere else," Darla promised.

"The only thing is they don't want you to be on stage," Hans said. "It's just...they want to market me as a single male..."

Her face fell. "Single?"

Hans hugged her again. "It's just marketing, baby. The agents feel that it would be best if they don't come out and announce that I'm married."

"So essentially, you're hiding me," Darla pulled away.

Hans shook his head. "No, not really. Once they make the announcement and the first few ads are released, then we can introduce you. They have no problem with you being there for the announcement."

"Hm," Darla turned away and sat back down at her desk.

"Dar, don't be like that," Hans said kneeling down in front of her. "It's just for a little while."

"But I'm your wife," Hans," Darla shot back. "What if you were married to Billie? Would they care then?"

"Darla, they'd feel the same way regardless," Hans told her. "It's just marketing. Come on. The important thing is that we know who we are to each other."

"I do," Darla said sharply. "Do you?"

"Of course I do," Hans said, reaching for her hand. "I love you, Dar. You know that."

Darla wouldn't look at him.

"Don't be like this," Hans said. "Come on. This is great news and you and I have to pick out a new flat."

"A new flat?" Darla asked. "What's wrong with the one we have now?"

"Don't you think we should look into something bigger?" Hans asked.

"It's just the two of us," Darla said.

"We can keep the one we have here, but I was thinking about something in New York," Hans said. "Since we'll be there most of the time. There are some great places in Chelsea, Soho..."

"Hans, I can't move to New York," Darla shook her head. "My work is here."

"You can plan weddings in New York," Hans countered. "You can go global! Drew can head up things here and you can---"

"No," Darla shook her head. "I love London. I'm not moving overseas, especially not moving away from my family."

"Are you still hung up on the whole 'single' thing?" Hans asked with a sigh. "Is that why you're acting like this? Come on, think of it, Dar. We'll have a new, luxurious flat in New York. You can decorate it any way you want. All those shops..."

"It has nothing to do with your 'single' thing," Darla retorted. "I'm NOT moving to New York."

Hans glared at her. "It's not like you wouldn't be able to see your family, Darla. And in case you've forgotten, I'm your family too!"

Darla glared back. "I should have figured you'd just want to up and go without thinking of me."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Hans asked angrily.

"You already have this planned out!" Darla exclaimed.

"I couldn't turn this down!" Hans retorted. "This is a chance of a lifetime!"

"Then go," Darla said coldly.

"Darla," Hans said reaching for her.

"Just go," Darla said, tears stinging her eyes.

"I'll go," Hans said after a moment. "But we need to talk about this."

Darla snorted. "Sure we do."

Hans grabbed the pictures and headed out of the office, shutting the door behind him.

Darla wiped away her tears as she sat back down at her desk.

She'd been so happy for him and in the span of one minute, she'd felt as if the whole world had been swept out from under her feet. How could he have made such a big decision without even consulting her?

Drew opened the door. "Coffee and chocolate croissants--" Dar?"

Darla looked at her sister. "Hans is an ass!"

Drew looked startled. "What did I miss?"

Darla took a tissue and dabbed at her eyes. She told her sister about Hans' trip to New York, the contract and his plan to move them across the ocean.

"You're moving?" Drew asked in dismay.

"No way," Darla said firmly. "This is my home."

"I don't know what I'd do without you here," Drew said.

"You're never going to have to find out," Darla said. "We've never been apart."

Drew shook her head. "You're my rock, Dar."

Darla stood up and hugged her sister. "You're mine."

Drew hugged her back. "Part of me."

"Always," Darla said softly.

"You and Hans just need to talk," Drew said.

"But it's like he's already decided we're going to move," Darla said.

"Without talking it over with you first?" Drew asked taken aback.

"Pretty much," Darla crossed her arms.

"That's not right," Drew said shaking her head. "This is your life, too."

"Exactly," Darla fumed.

"I don't like that whole idea about him hiding the fact that he's married either," Drew said thoughtfully.

Darla shook her head. "Maybe it's his way of saying he doesn't want to be married."

"I'm sure that's not true," Drew said. "He loves you. He just---he didn't think all of this out. He's always wanted to make it big and now he's right on the cusp of doing just that. It's clouded his judgment."

Darla sighed. "This is so complicated."

"You and Hans will figure it all out," Drew said encouragingly. "

Darla shrugged.

"Come on," Drew said. "We have fattening food right here and caffeine."

"Thanks," Darla said gratefully.

Drew sat back down at her desk and opened the box of pastries. "We haven't done something like this in ages."

"Not since we got married," Darla nodded.

"We should do this more often," Drew said. "You, me, and Maddie."

"With Chloe and Kiera as well," Darla agreed.

Drew laughed. "You know that Chloe will wear most of the chocolate. She loves making a mess."

"She's your girl," Darla smiled.

Drew smiled. "She is and she's very excited about Emma's birthday party."

"Emma's very excited about it too," Darla said.

"It's not every day that you turn five," Drew said with a grin.

"I can't believe she's already five," Darla shook her head. "Where has the time gone?"

"It goes by way too fast," Drew said. "Way too fast."

Darla sighed and sat back. "I just feel like my life has been thrown into chaos."

"It's going to sort itself out," Drew tried to reassure her. "Maybe you can work out some sort of compromise."

"I think what bothers me most is them trying to hide me." Darla said. "He even told me I could come onstage with him after they announced it. Not during... but after."

"How big of him," Drew said sarcastically. "How would he explain that?"

Darla rubbed her eyes. "I don't even know."

"Hello?" a familiar voice said from the doorway, followed by a high pitched squeal.

"Mummy!" Chloe exclaimed. "Oooh, choc-late!"

"Uh oh," Drew laughed. "Here comes the chocolate monster!"

Brian grinned. "We were in the neighbourhood and the little munchkin wanted to see her mum."

Drew hugged her daughter. "Mummy's glad to see her baby."

Drew hugged her daughter. "Mummy's glad to see her baby."

"Me and Daddy got Em a present!" Chloe announced.

"You did?" Drew kissed her cheek. "What did you buy?"

"A toy kitchen," Brian said when Chloe seemed more interested in the chocolate than answering the question. "We found it in that Muggle toy store down the street. Chloe picked it out."

"I want one too," Chloe said.

"Maybe you'll get one for your birthday," Drew said with a grin.

"And this?" Chloe asked, pointing to the pastry.

"You can have that now," Drew said breaking off a piece and handing it to her daughter.

"Yummy in my tummy!" Chloe said happily.

Darla laughed. "That's a good girl."

"Aunt Dar..." Chloe held out a piece. "Want?"

Darla shook her head. "That's for you, baby girl."

Chloe leaned back against her mother. "Daddy want?"

Brian smiled at her daughter. "No, sweetheart. But, that's very sweet of you to share."

Chloe grinned back. "Kay."

"Are you done for the day?" Brian asked his wife.

"Kind of..." Drew looked at her sister.

"Where's Uncle Hands?" Chloe asked.

"He's um... working," Darla said.

"He'll be back from the States right?" Brian asked. "Before Em's party?"

"One can only hope," Darla muttered.

"He actually came back already," Drew told her husband. "He---he's been signed as the new male model for Calvin Klein."

"Wow," Brian said. "That's fantastic... right?"

"You'd think so, wouldn't you?" Darla asked sarcastically.

"Sad?" Chloe asked.

"Just a little," Darla said. "But I feel much better now that you're here."

Chloe climbed down and ran to her aunt.

"Come here," Darla said scooping her niece up and hugging her tightly.

"I love you," Chloe kissed her cheek.

"I love you too," Darla said smiling at her. Holding her niece, she realized that there was no possible way she'd ever be able to leave England and move to New York.

Drew smiled reassuringly at her sister.

"What's really going on?" Brian asked his wife. "Darla and Hans...they're okay, right?"

Drew shrugged. "I'm not sure."

Brian listened as his wife told him about what Hans' agents wanted him to do. "Oh...that's not good."

"It ticks me off that they want Darla to hide," Drew said angrily.

"What difference does it make if he's married or not?" Brian asked.

Drew shook her head. "It's completely ridiculous."

"I know you love your sister, but you have to let them work this out for themselves," Brian said in a hushed tone.

"I never said I was going to interfere," Drew said defensively.

"Drew, I know you," Brian said folding his arms.

"Stay out of it," Drew warned.

"That old Weasley motto, eh?" Brian asked. "You mess with one; you mess with the whole lot, right?"

"That's how it's always been," Drew replied.

"They'll sort this out themselves," Brian tried to tell her.

Drew shook her head and turned away.

Chloe giggled as Darla spun her around.

"Do it again!"

"Round and round and round we go," Darla said spinning her niece. "And where we stop...."

"No stop!" Chloe squealed.

Darla laughed. "You are going to wear me out, Chloe."

"Sorry," Chloe beamed at her.

"She loves her Aunt Darla, don't you, munchkin?" Drew asked.

Chloe nodded. "This much!" she held her little arms out.

"I love you that much too," Darla said smiling at her.

"More chocolate?" Chloe asked.

"Absolutely," Darla said sitting down with her niece.

"So are you two done for today?" Brian asked, looking at his wife.

Darla nodded. "We just had some loose ends to tie up."

"I thought I'd make us dinner tonight," Brian told his wife.

"Darla, why don't you come home with us?" Drew asked.

"Yes!" Chloe agreed excitedly.

"Can you turn that face down?" Drew asked.

"Never," Brian said with a grin.

"I'd like that," Darla said. "But, I should stop by home first."

Drew nodded. "Come over whenever you feel like it."

"Thanks," Darla said. "For everything, Drew."

"Anytime," Drew hugged her.

"Come on, munchkin," Brian said to his daughter. "Let's get you back in your cloak."

"Kay Daddy," Chloe held her arms up.

Brian grinned as he helped her into her cloak. "All set?"

Chloe nodded. "Come on Mummy!"

"Okay," Drew said grabbing her cloak. "Let's go home."

"I'll see you lot in just a bit," Darla said.

"Bye, Aunt Dar!" Chloe waved at her.

"Bye Chloe," Darla smiled.

Darla cleaned up their coffee cups and threw them in the rubbish bin along with the empty pastry box.

She hated fighting with Hans, but she couldn't believe he would just go and make such a decision without talking to her first.

She didn't begrudge him his success. She more than anyone knew how hard he'd worked to make it here, but was it worth the cost?

232. Chapter 232---Ashley, Zander, Brittany's New Year's

Authors’ note: This chapter is a little shorter than usual, but something big happens here too. We hope that you will enjoy the chapter. This is Brittany/Ashley/Zander’s New Year’s Eve.

Ashley had never been so excited for a party. Her mother had dropped her off at Brittany's, promising to pick her up around noon the next day.

Brittany's parents were having a small gathering with their friends so Brittany, Ashley, and Zander were going to spend their evening in the basement. Ashley was grinning from ear to ear when her friend showed her what she'd done.

"I figured you and I could sleep on the pullout sofa," Brittany told her. "And Zander's got his sleeping bag for the floor."

"This is great," Ashley said enthusiastically. "I was so excited all day."

"Me too," Brittany said with a grin. "Mum's already ordered the pizzas for us."

"Yum," Ashley set her bag down. "Where's Zander?"

"He should be back soon," Ashley said. "He went with my Dad and Uncle Heath to pick up some last minute things for the adults' party."

"Cool," Ashley nodded.

"So, tell me," Brittany said once Ashley had set her bags down. "You didn't kill Katie over the holidays, right?"

Ashley laughed. "I sort of avoided her."

"I think she's a cool kid," Brittany said. "But then again she's not my sister..."

"She's just like you," Ashley teased.

"No wonder I like her so much," Brittany said with a grin.

Ashley shook her head and laughed. "What else are we going to do tonight?"

"We have loads of movies," Brittany said. "And you brought over those games, right?"

"Yes," Ashley said. "I had to sneak them out of Katie's side of the basement."

"This is going to be so much fun!" Brittany said enthusiastically.

Ashley giggled. "We should scare Zander and tell him we're doing makeovers tonight."

Brittany grinned. "I like the way you think! I still wish he'd let me give him some highlights..."

Ashley shook her head. "That'll never, ever happen."

"Nope," Brittany said. "But, I do have some new nail polish. You have to let me paint your nails."

"Okay," Ashley agreed.

Upstairs, Zander was helping his father and uncle unload the car. "Go on, son," Zander's father told him. "Your friend's probably already here."

Zander turned a bit red. "Yeah..."

"Everything okay?" Heath asked him.

"Fine," Zander stumbled over a crack in the pavement. "I um... I'll just go downstairs now..."

"Good luck, son," Heath called after him.

Zander let himself into the basement. "Ash? Brit?"

"You're just in time," Brittany said grinning at him. She was painting Ashley's toenails.

"For what?" Zander wrinkled his nose. "That stuff smells!"

"Hi, Zander," Ashley waved at him.

He grinned at her. "Glad you're here, Ash."

"Me too," Ashley said. "I've been looking forward to this."

Zander kicked off his shoes and sat down on the sofa. "Me too."

"Having your nails painted?" Brittany asked. "Good, you're next."

Zander shook his head. "No way, Brit. I meant that I was looking forward to seeing Ash. I mean---the party."

"Uh huh," Brittany said with a grin.

"So tell me what you got for Christmas," Ashley said to him.

"A new Playstation," Zander said. "And more games. And my parents got me a new keyboard! It's so cool Ash- wait until I show it to you sometime."

"I can't wait to hear you play," Ashley said smiling at him. "I've just about worn out the CD you made for me."

Zander grinned back. "I'm really glad you liked it."

"Don't you just love how this colour has glitter?" Brittany asked admiring her handiwork on Ashley's toes.

"Yeah, it's fantastic," Zander said sarcastically.

"Oh you just wait until you go to sleep tonight," Brittany told him.

"You go anywhere near my toes with that and I'll forget all about that no magic outside of school rule," Zander warned.

"You can't or they'll expel you," Brittany said smugly.

"I'd be willing to risk it," Zander countered.

Ashley giggled. "You two are so like Katie and me it's scary."

"We're not that bad, are we?" Zander asked.

"Getting there," Ashley teased.

"Okay," Brittany said. "Don't move. You need to stay still so they can dry. Then, you can paint mine."

"All right," Ashley said.

"Brittany," her mother called from the top of the stairs. "Your pizza is here, love."

Zander got to his feet. "I'll get it."

"I've got it," Brittany said. "You'll drop it like last time."

"I only did that once," Zander protested.

"Once was enough," Brittany ran up the stairs.

"You know," Ashley confided in him. "This stuff does smell. But, she insisted..."

"Looks good on you," Zander said before he could stop himself.

Ashley blushed. "Well, it's the first time I've ever had my nails painted."

"Really?" Zander asked.

"Yeah," Ashley said. "Not really my thing, you know?"

Zander nodded. "More your sister's, eh?"

"Exactly," Ashley said.

"Okay," Brittany announced coming back into the basement with the pizza and plates. "Zander, will you get the soda from the icebox?"

"Sure," Zander said, hurrying out of the room.

"Now, that smells amazing," Ashley said.

"I know right," Brittany took a deep whiff.

Zander came back with their drinks. "You guys promise not to tell anyone that I attended your little slumber party, right?"

"Like anyone's really going to care," Brittany replied.

"Sam and his crew would love to hear about it and you know it," Zander told her.

"Our lips are sealed," Ashley promised.

"Of course," Brittany said with a pointed look at her cousin. "I'm really good at keeping secrets."

Zander rolled his eyes. "Yeah right."

"Sam's mates aren't all that bad," Brittany said opening the pizza box. "Evan Doherty...he's kind of nice."

Zander shrugged. "He's okay."

Ashley looked over at her friend, who had a bit of a dreamy expression on her face. "Brit? Do you fancy Evan?"

"He is quite dreamy," Brittany admitted.

"We are trying to eat here," Zander said rolling his eyes as he helped himself to a slice of pizza.

"Like you should talk," Brittany retorted.

"He was just teasing," Ashley told her. "If you want to fancy Evan, there's no problem with that. He does seem pretty nice."

"I think so too," Brittany said. "In fact..." she leaned in. "He kissed me on the train."

Ashley's jaw dropped. "What?"

Zander dropped his pizza onto his plate. "WHAT?"

"You and Ash left the compartment to get some sweets," Brittany told them. "And he came by. He...he said he wanted to wish me a Happy Christmas. I asked him what he was doing for the holidays and the next thing I know...he kissed me. It was really quick, but it was ...sweet."

"Wow," Ashley said. "I've never kissed anyone..."

"I haven't either," Zander said. "Brit---you're only 12."

"Almost thirteen," Brittany defended.

"Not for another seven months," Zander pointed out.

"If you want to get technical," Brittany waved her hand. "I thought it was very nice... I like kissing."

Ashley looked at her. "So...have you spoken to him since then?"

"He rang me yesterday," Brittany said, blushing.

Zander hadn't known that because he'd been busy playing his new video game.

"He told me if he didn't have to be with his family tonight he'd have been here," Brittany revealed.

Zander rolled his eyes. But, at least if Sam and his mates tried to give him grief about this, he could hold this over Evan's head.

Ashley was seeing her friend in a new light. "I can't believe you got kissed and you didn't tell me right away!"

"I wanted to," Brittany said. "But, I was still trying to make sense of it."

"I understand," Ashley told her.

"So, is he going to start sitting with us for meals and stuff?" Zander asked.

"Maybe," Brittany said.

Zander took a bit of his pizza.

"You're upset," Ashley noticed.

"I don't care," Zander said with a shrug. "Brit can snog whomever she wants."

"I didn't snog!" Brittany exclaimed. "Not yet at least."

"This pizza is really good," Ashley said trying to change the subject. "Some day, I'll make Malfoy pizza for you both."

"What's that?" Zander asked.

"A special family recipe," Ashley told him. "My dad and my sister and me have been making it since I was little."

"Sounds good," Zander smiled at her.

"It's the best," Ashley said grinning back at him.

"For now, I think I'll just have another piece of this," Brittany pulled a cheesy slice from the pie.

"Me too," Zander said. "And then, I'm taking Miss Malfoy here on. Don't think I forgot your challenge."

Ashley raised an eyebrow at him.

"Ninja Death Warrior," Zander said. "You seem to think you'll be able to beat me."

"I definitely can," Ashley replied.

"You're going down," Zander countered. "No one can beat me."

"He is pretty good," Brittany admitted.

"Yes, but I am a quick learner," Ashley said confidently.

Zander smirked. "I have you beat."

"You have a healthy ego, Mr. Murray," Ashley said. "Do you know that?"

"I try," Zander grinned.

"I'm going to do a mud mask while you two do that," Brittany announced.

"Better you than me," Zander replied.

"Don't knock it, Zander," Brittany said.

"Come on," Ashley giggled.

"I'll start it up," Zander said wiping his hands with a napkin.

"All right," Ashley finished her slice.

"Okay," Zander said turning on the television. "I'll go through one time to show you what to do..."

Ashley shook her head. "I'll get it."

"Okay," Zander said handing her a controller. "Do you want to be the green Ninja or the red one?"

"Red," Ashley replied.

"That's the one he always is," Brittany said.

"Throw me off my game a bit, but I can handle it," Zander said confidently.

"Get him, Ash," Brittany cheered her friend.

"It's in the bag," Ashley grinned.

"Okay," Zander said. "The object of the game is to get to the Temple. But, you have to go through these different levels...."

"You have to kill a lot of people," Brittany translated.

Ashley giggled. "Thanks, Brit."

"And collect a lot of weapons," Zander said.

"Which will cause death and destruction," Brittany remarked.

"Aren't you doing a mud mask?" Zander retorted.

"Yeah, yeah," Brittany waved her hand dismissively.

"Ready?" Zander asked Ashley.

"Bring it on," Ashley said confidently.

The two of them quickly went through the selection screen and started playing. Ashley wasn't exactly sure what to do and started hitting random buttons on her control.

"Ash, why are you kicking it that tree?" Zander asked.

"I don't know," Ashley said, finally getting her ninja around it. "There."

Zander concentrated on his own game and didn't pay attention to the progress that Ashley was making.

"You got the axe Zander is always looking for!" Brittany exclaimed.

"What?" Zander asked distractedly.

"That axe," Brittany said. "You're always looking for it when you play."

"Where---where did you find it?" Zander asked forgetting about his own ninja.

"It came out of the tree when I was kicking it," Ashley replied.

"What?" Zander asked in disbelief.

Brittany nudged him. "You'd better concentrate. That guy with the scarf is about to take you out!:

"Hey!" Zander grabbed his remote and began kicking his opponent.

Brittany giggled. "I'm going to go and get my mask ready."

"Have fun with that," Zander said.

Brittany nudged him before walking into the basement bathroom.

Ashley looked at her screen. "Is that the castle?"

"How did you already get there?" Zander asked in disbelief.

"I don't know," Ashley shrugged. "I turned by those rocks and there it was."

"Are you sure you've never played this before?" Zander asked her, pausing the action on the screen.

"Never," Ashley said.

"You are a quick study," Zander said impressed.

Ashley shrugged. "It's a fun game."

Zander started his game up again. "I'm just glad I have someone now who understands."

Ashley giggled. "That's why we're best friends."

Zander smiled sideways at her. "Best friends."

"Always," Ashley grinned.

They finished their game with Ashley pulling out a surprising win. Zander demanded a rematch, but Ashley won that one as well.

"I can't believe it," Zander shook his head.

"Rematch?" Ashley asked.

"No!" Brittany exclaimed.

"Why not?" Zander asked.

"Because it's completely boring and I'm ready to watch a movie," Brittany replied as if the answer should have been obvious.

"Fine," Zander rolled his eyes. "What movie do you have? It better not be something girly."

"It's a funny one," Brittany told him.

"Good," Zander sat back.

"I'm going to change into my pj's," Ashley said. "I'll be right back."

"Me too," Brittany replied.

"I'm going to run upstairs and change too," Zander said.

"I can't believe you beat him," Brittany said when they were alone. "He won't be able to live this down."

"Beginner's luck," Ashley said.

"Those are cute pyjamas," Brittany said.

"Thanks," Ashley said. "They were a gift from Greta."

"I got mine from my parents for Christmas," Brittany said. "They are SO me."

Ashley grinned. Her friend's pyjamas were pink with lipstick prints. "They really are."

Zander came back down wearing flannel trousers and a t shirt. "You two ready?"

"Yes," Ashley said. She smiled when she saw he'd brought a bowl of popcorn. "Fantastic!"

"Compliments of the party upstairs," Zander grinned.

Ashley sat back down on the sofa and crawled under a blanket.

"Are you cold?" Zander asked. "We could turn up the heat."

"No, I'm fine," Ashley said. "I just wanted to get cosy."

"I can understand that," Zander sat down next to her.

Brittany joined them on the sofa after she's put the DVD in the player.

"I've never seen this," Ashley said. "Is it funny?"

"I haven't seen it either," Brittany said. "But I've heard it was."

"Cool," Ashley unconsciously leaned against Zander.

Zander grinned. This was going to be a great night.

The movie was indeed funny and Brittany had fallen asleep before the end of it.

Zander shook his head as he muted the television. He turned it to the channel that showed a local news crew reporting on the New Year's Eve festivities.

"I can't believe she slept through most of it," Ashley whispered to Zander.

"She was up at the crack of dawn," Zander said.

"We should let her sleep," Ashley said.

"Works for me," Zander said.

"I still can't believe that about she and Evan," Ashley said shaking her head. "I didn't even know she fancied him."

"I guess he's really not bad," Zander replied. "But I didn't know he planted one on her." he shook his head. "Sam's always going on about what girls he's kissed."

"Who would kiss him?" Ashley asked her nose wrinkling in disgust.

Zander shuddered. "I don't know."

"I wonder what it's like," Ashley said thoughtfully. "Kissing someone."

"I never have," Zander mumbled.

Ashley looked at him. "We're in the same boat. You and me."

"We always seem to be, don't we?" Zander asked.

Ashley smiled. "Yes, we do."

Zander looked over at the telly, which was still showing a New Year's Eve bash in Piccadilly. "I wonder what it's like too."

"Have you...have you ever thought about it?" Ashley stammered.

"Yeah," Zander said shyly. "You know... um... maybe we..."

Ashley looked down at the blanket. "Maybe we could what?"

Zander turned even redder. "You know..."

"K-kiss?" Ashley stammered, turning red as well.

"It was just an idea," Zander muttered. "Probably a dumb one."

Ashley shook her head. "No… it's not a stupid idea, Zander. It's just...I trust you more than anyone. And, um, we could...just to...just to see...what it's like..."

"That's sort of what I was thinking," he said.

Ashley felt butterflies in her stomach at the thought of kissing Zander. She shouldn't be nervous. He was her best friend after all.

"It's just to see what it's like," Zander said, turning to her. "I mean... so we aren't completely inexperienced."

"Right," Ashley nodded. "Um..."

"Should we... do it now?" he asked.

"Now's as good a time as any," Ashley replied, turning to face him.

Zander felt like his face was on fire. "I guess um... I..."

"In the movies," Ashley said. "They always close their eyes."

"Oh yeah," Zander said. "Okay..."

"Are you nervous?" Ashley asked.

"Yeah," he confessed. "You?"

Ashley nodded. "Very."

"Well... maybe once it's over, it won't be such a big deal," Zander said.

"Right," Ashley said taking his hand. "Um...on the count of three?"

"Sure," Zander said, his stomach turning over and over again. "One... two... three..."

Ashley closed her eyes as Zander leaned in and pressed his lips to hers.

His eyes popped open for a split second before closing again as he kept his mouth against hers.

Her lips were soft and she smelled like vanilla and cinnamon. He had no idea if what he was doing was right.

She broke away from him a moment later. "Zander..."

"Ash," Zander whispered.

"That was nice," she said softly.

"It was brilliant," Zander said before he could stop himself. "Um..."

Ashley looked down shyly. She didn't know what to say or do next.

"Did you want to do it again?" Zander asked.

Ashley looked up in surprise. "Again?"

"It was just an idea," Zander said hastily.

"Do you think we should?" she asked timidly.

"I think so," Zander said thoughtfully. "Just to be sure we've ...we've got it down."

"Okay," Ashley agreed, swallowing. She closed her eyes and Zander touched his lips to hers again.

Unbeknownst to the two of them, Brittany was starting to stir. "What time is it?" Brittany asked, rubbing at her eyes.

The two of them pulled apart quickly. "Um... almost midnight," Zander said hastily.

"I can't believe I fell asleep," Brittany said sitting up on the sofa. "I'm sorry. Did I miss anything?"

"Nothing," Ashley said quickly. "Nothing at all."

Brittany stretched her arms over her head. "At least I didn't miss the New Year."

Ashley was still red. "I'll go get us some more sodas."

"I've got it," Brittany said.

"I don't mind," Ashley replied.

Brittany looked quizzically at her friend, but Ashley practically ran out of the room.

"I guess she's thirsty," Brittany remarked looking at her cousin.

"Yeah," Zander said glumly.

Brittany reached for the remote and turned up the volume on the television. "Someday, we're going to be celebrating like that."

"Sure," Zander muttered, thinking about what had just happened.

"Are you still sulking about losing to Ashley?" Brittany asked him. "Come on. We're not going to tell anyone that you lost."

"You'll tell everyone," Zander said, realising it was better to let his cousin think that was what was wrong.

"I might tease you about it, but I promise I will not tell another soul," Brittany said. "And you know Ash would never."

"I know," Zander bit his lower lip.

He didn't know how Ashley was feeling about what had happened. Would they be able to talk about it? Would they be able to talk at all? Why had he even thought that this would be a good idea?

It seemed to be forever before Ashley joined them again, drinks in hand.

"Everything okay?" Brittany asked.

Ashley nodded. "Sure."

Zander's hand brushed against Ashley's as she handed him a soda. "Um...thanks," he muttered.

"No problem," she said softly.

"Ten minutes," Brittany said looking at the television.

"I haven't stayed up this late in a long time," Ashley said.

"I've been staying up really late the entire time we've been home," Brittany said yawning. "It's catching up to me now."

"Sometimes I do wake up around three or so," Ashley said. "I like to sit in the kitchen and draw the moon outside."

"Zander does that too," Brittany said rolling her eyes. "Last night, he woke up and started playing some song..."

"You wrote a new song?" Ashley asked.

"I'm working on a few things," Zander replied.

Ashley nodded. "That's good."

Zander chanced a smile at her.

She smiled back but quickly looked at the telly.

"I was telling Zander that someday that will be us," Brittany said motioning to the partygoers on the screen.

"It'd be fun to be in the city right now," Ashley agreed.

"Swinging from the light post like that bloke," Brittany giggled. "Would you look at him?"

"That would be you," Ashley teased.

"Decked out in her pink cloak, pink hat and pink boots," Zander chimed in.

"That's right," Brittany said, jumping up and dancing crazily around the room.

"I thought you were knackered," Zander commented.

"It's called a second wind, Zander Anthony," Brittany said loftily.

"Your middle name is Anthony?" Ashley asked.

"Yeah," Zander turned red.

"Alekszander Anthony Murray to be exact," Brittany said doing a little spin. "

"Brit!" Zander exclaimed.

"He was named after his mother's great-grandfather," Brittany continued. "He was Russian. Right, Alekszander?"

"I think it's a cool name," Ashley volunteered softly.

Zander looked at her. "Really?"

Ashley nodded. "Unique."

"He's still a Neanderthal," Brittany said picking up a pillow and hitting her cousin with it as hard as she could.

"Ow!" Zander said, grabbing a pillow and slugging her back.

"Ooooh, you're going to pay for that!" Brittany asked lunging for him.

Despite her confusion over what had happened between her and Zander, Ashley couldn't help but join in on the pillow fight.

"Come on red Ninja," Brittany taunted. "Let's see what you got!"

Ashley giggled. "It's on!"

Zander hit her with the pillow. "Take that, Malfoy."

Ashley whacked him. "What do you think of THAT, Alekszander?"

"You call that a hit?" Zander asked raising his pillow. But, before he could hit Ashley, Brittany walloped him from behind.

"Tag team!" Ashley shrieked, pummelling him.

Zander fell back onto the sofa. "Hmmmmph!"

Before he could even take a breath, Ashley and Brittany were at him again.

"Oh, how the mighty have fallen!" Brittany exclaimed.

"Oh yeah?" Zander asked.

"Yeah," Ashley said with a grin.

Zander pushed through them and began swinging away with his pillow.

Ashley fell back, giggling.

Brittany continued to hit Zander with her pillow. "Too easy!"

"You hit like a girl," Zander said blocking her.

"I am a girl, you half wit," Brittany replied. "Ash, help me!"

Ashley came up behind him and put her arms around him. "Gotcha!"

Zander sucked in a breath at the feel of her body against his.

"Do you give?" Ashley asked, giggling.

"Yeah," Zander said immediately.

"We did it!" Brittany exclaimed triumphantly.

"Girls rule," Ashley said, slapping Brittany a high five.

"I let you win," Zander said throwing his pillow down.

"Sure you did," Brittany smirked. "OH!"

"What?" Ashley asked.

"We missed the new year!" she exclaimed.

Ashley looked over at the telly. "Happy New Year!"

"Happy New Year!" Brittany threw her pillow in the air.

Ashley nudged Zander. "Happy New Year."

"You too Ash," he smiled at her. "Hope it's as good as the last one for you."

Ashley hesitantly stepped forward and gave him a hug. "For you too, Zander."

He closed his eyes as he put his arms around her. "Thanks, Ash."

"Group hug!" Brittany exclaimed.

Ashley and Zander opened their arms and Brittany threw hers around them.

"This is going to be the best year, you guys!" Brittany said excitedly. "I just know it!"

"I'm sure it will be," Ashley agreed.

Zander hoped his cousin was right, but he couldn't help thinking that tonight had changed

things. He didn't know if things would ever be the same again between him and Ashley.

233. Chapter 233: New Year's with Saffy

Authors’ note: We hope you enjoy the next chapter in the Last Dance saga! Cliffhanger ahead!

Saffron felt like a fifth wheel as she followed her friends down the sidewalk toward the club. Alexa and Gabriel were walking beside her while Mimi and Jake and Beth and Peter were talking animatedly with each other. The visit with the Grants that afternoon was still firmly on her mind. She could still see the pride in Mr. Grant's face as he talked about his son and the tears in Sean's mother’s eyes as she looked at the photograph of her son.

She bit down hard on her lower lip and willed her own tears to stay away. She'd promised herself she was going to enjoy being with her friends that night, not wallow in misery.

"Miss Potter!" Saffron heard someone shout from behind her. She turned around to see a flash of blinding light. A bloody photographer.

"Go away," Saffron muttered, using her hand to cover her face.

"Hey," Gabriel reacted angrily. "Leave her alone!"

"Let's have a smile, Miss Potter," the photographer ignored Gabriel.

"Let's just have that camera," Jake said grabbing it out of the photographer's hand.

"HEY!" now the photographer was the one glowering. "That's an expensive camera!"

Jake took the film out and pocketed it. "Here you are. No harm done."

"Get the hell out of here," Gabriel said glaring at the man.

"Thanks guys," Saffron said quietly.

Alexa put her arm around her best friend. "Come on. The club's just another block away."

"Right," Saffron mustered up a smile.

Mimi smiled at her. "It's going to be a great night, Saffy. I promise."

"Right Meems," Saffron nodded. "I promise to try and be fun."

"You are always fun," Mimi said nudging her.

Saffron smiled gratefully. "Thanks you guys."

At least she didn't have to worry about seeing Andrew out with Natalia. She knew that RJ was having a party. He'd invited her, but she'd politely declined. She didn't think she could spend the whole evening watching Andrew with someone else.

"Here we are!" Beth announced. "Ooooh I am SO excited!"

"Look at the queue though," Mimi said frowning.

Jake grinned. "I have that problem solved," he said, producing seven passes from his pocket. "My sister knows the owner."

Mimi beamed at him. "Jake! I love you!"

He blushed. "Yeah..."

Beth shot a smug look at the people in the queue as she and her friends walked up to the doorman.

"Go on in," the doorman said, waving them past.

They checked their coats inside and Mimi grinned as she heard the music. "This is wicked!"

"Totally," Beth agreed. She turned to Peter. "Come on!"

Gabriel was looking around in awe. This was his first time being in a magical club.

"It's pretty incredible, isn't it?" Alexa asked, squeezing his hand.

"Very," Gabriel said happily.

She smiled up at him. "I'm so glad we're here together."

"Me too," Gabriel said putting his arm around her. "And you look absolutely beautiful tonight."

Alexa snuggled against him. "Thanks." she said, a warm feeling spreading over her.

"You're going to show me the ropes, right?" Gabriel asked.

"Sure," Alexa said.

"And I thought I'd seen everything living in California," Gabriel mused as he walked with her to their table.

Alexa giggled. "I wish you could see Hogwarts."

"Maybe someday," Gabriel said with a grin.

She rested her head on his shoulder when they sat down.

Saffron looked around at the people and wished she could feel as happy and carefree as they seemed to be.

"What'll it be?" Peter asked. "I'll get the first round."

"Ooooh!" Beth squealed as she looked over at the next table where a girl was drinking something pink out of a frosted glass. "I want one of those!"

Peter laughed. "One of those... all right. Saffy?"

"Hmmm?" Saffron asked distractedly.

"What would you like to drink?" Peter asked.

"Firewhisky," Saffron replied.

"Saffy," Alexa said taken aback. "You don't---"

"I'll have Firewhisky," Saffron repeated firmly.

"Okay then," Peter said. He took everyone else's drink orders and then headed for the bar.

Alexa touched her friend's arm. "Saffy, are you okay?"

"I'm fine," Saffron lied. "Absolutely fine."

Alexa didn't look convinced.

"Why don't you and Gabe go and dance?" Saffron suggested.

"Sounds like fun to me," Gabriel said. "Lexie?"

"I--I don't know," Alexa said reluctant to leave her friend alone.

"I don't need a babysitter," Saffron told her.

"I don't think you do," Alexa replied. "But--"

"She'll be fine," Beth said. "Besides, I'm here."

"Okay," Alexa said, taking Gabriel's hand.

"They're so adorable, aren't they?" Beth gushed. "And he is soooooo hot!"

"Nice, Beth." Saffron shook her head.

"I can look," Beth giggled. "Besides, I have Peter and he is absolutely fabulous."

"I'm glad you two are having fun," Saffron told her.

"I miss him while he's away at University," Beth confided. "And he's so smart. Sometimes, I feel stupid because I don't know half of the stuff he's talking about."

"You shouldn't," Saffron said. "Trust me... despite what happened when he and I were dating, Peter's one of the good guys. He likes you for who you are, not what you know."

"Thanks, Saffy," Beth said smiling at her.

Peter came back, drinks balanced in his hands. "Man, we're so lucky we're in a magical club," he joked.

"You'd never have made it with all those," Beth teased.

"Never," he grinned at her.

Saffron downed her drink with one gulp. The liquid burned her throat and made her cough.

"Wow," Jake said. "Even I can't take it down that fast."

"I don't know how you can drink that stuff," Mimi said shaking her head. "I tried it once and I threw up."

"It's not bad," Saffron said as her little glass refilled itself.

"This pink stuff...now it tastes good," Beth said happily. "What's it called, Peter?"

"A pink pixie," Peter said rolling his eyes. "I kept telling the bloke at the bar that it wasn't for me."

Beth gave him a kiss. "I'll prove it wasn't."

"The music's great, isn't it?" Mimi asked.

Saffron nodded. "You guys can go and dance. I'll be okay."

"We don't want to leave you alone, Saffy," Beth objected.

"I'm okay," Saffron told them. "Go. Besides, you might be killing my action. Some bloke might approach me if you lot aren't hovering."

Mimi laughed. "All right."

When she was finally alone, Saffron took another sip of her drink.

The Firewhisky was awful, but by her third glass, she was already feeling better than she had in months.

"What's a beautiful girl like you doing all alone on a night like this?" a male voice asked.

Saffron rolled her eyes. This bloke honestly didn't think lines like that worked, did he? She looked up and felt as if her heart had stopped beating.

"Sean?" she whispered, wondering if she was already pissed.

He gave her his most charming smile. "Daniel. Daniel O'Neal."

Saffron shook her head. "Um... hi."

"Mind if I sit down?" he asked.

"If you want to," she said as her glass filled again.

"You know that I really shouldn't be talking to you," he said taking a seat. "Given as you took my position..."

"I beg your pardon?" Saffron raised her eyebrow.

"You have no idea who I am, do you?" Daniel asked with a grin.

Saffron rolled her eyes and pushed back in her seat.

"Wait, wait," he said putting a hand out to stop her. "I didn't mean it like that. I'm Daniel O'Neal. The reserve seeker for Puddlemere."

"Oh," Saffron said nodding. "RJ told me about you."

"About a quarter of it is true," Daniel said smoothly.

Saffron raised an eyebrow. "Oh?"

He leaned in and whispered in her ear. "You can ask me anything."

He looked so much like Sean it was scary. "Anything?"

"I'm an open book," he said.

Saffron smiled. "Um... well..."

"Go ahead," he said leaning back in his chair.

She had no idea what to say. "What sort of movies do you like?" she asked lamely.

"Comedies," he replied. "And you?"

"I used to like scary movies," she said. "Now... historicals."

"And you like Firewhisky," he said motioning toward her glass.

"Sometimes," Saffron said.

He leaned in to say something else, but Alexa and Gabriel had returned to the table. Alexa did a bit of a double take as she looked at the older boy. He bore a strong resemblance to Sean.

"Hi there," Gabriel said.

"How was your dance?" Saffron asked them.

"It was great," Alexa wrapped her arms around Gabriel's waist.

"Oh, Daniel," Saffron said. "This is my friend....Alexa O'Leary and her boyfriend, Gabriel Boyd."

"I've met you before," Daniel said to Alexa. "You used to go out with RJ Weasley, right?"

Alexa blushed. "Awhile ago..."

"He's my cousin," Saffron said motioning to Gabriel and then giggling for no apparent reason at all.

"Saffy-" he began.

Saffron giggled again and looked down at her glass which had just refilled itself again. "Look at how cool this is!"

"It's very cool," Daniel said, leaning towards her.

"And so are you," Saffron said patting his leg with her hand.

Daniel grinned. "Very much so..." he leaned in further.

Alexa and Gabe exchanged worried glances.

"Saffy," Gabriel said. "How about you dance with me."

Saffron ignored him and giggled when Daniel whispered something in her ear.

"You can really do that?" Saffron asked pulling away and looking at him.

"Oh you bet I can, sweet thing," Daniel winked at her.

Alexa grabbed her friend by the arm. "Saffy, would you mind coming with me to the loo?"

"I'm fine," Saffron laughed. "Better than I've been in AGES!"

"Humour me," Alexa said pulling her friend to her feet and practically dragging her through the crowd toward the loo.

"Ow," Saffron giggled. "What are we doing?

"What are YOU doing?" Alexa asked her. "Saffy, how many shots of Firewhisky have you had?"

"Four?" Saffron asked. "Or um... six?"

Alexa looked at her friend in surprise. "Saffy!"

Saffron laughed. "You should try it!"

"Saffy, I know that you had a rough day today," Alexa said gently. "Seeing the Grants couldn't have been---"

"Sean Grant is RIGHT HERE!" Saffron spun around.

"What?" Alexa asked, concern etched across her face.

"Everything is okay now!" Saffron said happily. "Sean's okay and he's here!" she turned and headed for the table.

"Saffy!" Alexa called out, but her friend got lost in the crowd.

"Hello there," Saffron said as Daniel joined her on the dance floor.

"Hiya, beautiful," Daniel said huskily. "I thought I'd lost you."

"Never," Saffron said, throwing her arms around him.

He held her close as a crowd of people danced around them. Saffron rested her head against his chest. He even smelled like Sean.

"You are even hotter than I thought," he said into her ear.

Saffron looked up at him. "Really?"

"Oh yeah," he said, grinning at her.

"I'm so glad that you're here," Saffron said smiling back at him.

"I can tell this is going to be the best night of my life," Daniel said, kissing her neck.

At the table, Alexa watched with concern as she saw Daniel O'Neal working his magic on Saffron. Although she didn't remember ever meeting Daniel O'Neal, she'd remembered RJ speaking about him. RJ had said that O'Neal had a reputation as a player.

"What's wrong?" Gabriel asked.

"I don't like that guy," Alexa said quietly.

"Why not?" Gabriel also looked over at Saffron and the dark haired bloke.

"He's got a reputation," Alexa said. "And I wouldn't put it past him to take advantage of her."

Gabriel put his arm around her. "I'm just glad to see her having fun. Let her be, Lexie. She can have fun tonight."

"I don't know," Alexa said looking out onto the dance floor where Saffron was dancing with Daniel.

"You've got some amazing moves, baby." Daniel said.

"So do you," Saffron said dreamily.

Daniel ran his hand through her hair as he pulled her closer.

"I haven't felt this happy in a long time," Saffron whispered. Daniel didn't hear her over the loud music.

Alexa continued to watch with her arms crossed. "This isn't good."

Jake and Mimi had joined her and Gabe back at the table. "I saw him earlier," Mimi told Alexa. "Right when we got here, he was snogging some redhead in the corner."

"We'll keep an eye on her," Gabriel put a hand on his girlfriend's arm.

"Let's get them back to the table," Mimi said. "That way we can definitely keep an eye on her."

"We'll do it," Gabriel said, pulling Alexa to her feet.

They worked their way through the crowd on the dance floor until they reached Saffron and Daniel who seemed oblivious to everyone around them. “Saffy?” Alexa tapped on her friend’s shoulder.

"We're busy," Saffron said.

"We wanted to invite you and your... friend to sit with us," Alexa said, practically shouting so she could be heard over the music.

"What?" Saffron asked, finally pulling away from Daniel.

"Why don't you and Daniel come and sit with us at the table?" Alexa asked again.

Saffron stumbled a bit. "Yeah... I need another drink." she laughed.

Alexa held on to Saffron and led her back to the table. Gabriel looked at Daniel. "I don't know if you're coming back with us is a good idea."

"I beg your pardon, mate?" Daniel said.

"She's been through a lot lately," Gabriel said. "I think you might be trying to take advantage of her vulnerability right now."

"Are you a healer or something?" Daniel asked sarcastically.

"I'm her friend," Gabriel said. "And I'm looking out for her."

"Well then look out for her with me on the dance floor later," Daniel shoved past him and followed Saffron.

"Asshole," Gabriel muttered, glaring after him.

Saffron was downing her second shot when Daniel arrived at the table.

Mimi, Jake, Beth and Peter looked expectantly at the older boy, but he didn't have eyes for anyone, but Saffron.

"Have one," Saffron said, holding up the glass.

"Thanks, love," Daniel said taking it from her.

Saffron moved over so he could sit down next to her. "I took his job," she explained, giggling.

"Daniel O'Neal, right?" Peter asked.

"That's right mate," Daniel stuck his hand out.

Peter shook his hand. "I'm Peter. This is my girlfriend, Beth."

"Nice to meet you both," he said with a charming grin.

"I'm Mimi," Mimi said. "And this is Jake."

Daniel winked at her. "Good to meet you two as well."

Saffron punched him playfully on the arm. "Stop that! You know them already! Remember?"

"Sure," Daniel slid his arm around her.

Alexa looked at Gabriel. "She---she thinks he's Sean," she whispered.

"Obviously," Gabriel muttered. "This is crazy."

"We have to do something," Alexa whispered.

"Should I go get RJ or something?" Gabriel asked. "I... I don't really know what else to do."

"I'll go," Alexa whispered. "I'll be back in a few minutes. Make sure not to let her out of your sight."

"Okay," Gabriel squeezed her hand.

Alexa knew that RJ would at least get Daniel O'Neal to back off. She just hoped that she wouldn't make Saffron angry in the process. In the long run, her friend would thank her.

She Apparated just outside the club and arrived at the front door of RJ and Andrew’s flat. From just inside, she could hear voices and music. She’d forgotten that they were having a party.

She knocked on the door, but the music was too loud and no one answered. Alexa hesitantly pushed it open and entered the foyer.

"Lexie," Andrew spotted her. "What are you doing here?"

"I need RJ," she said. "It's um... it's Saffron."

Andrew paled. "What's wrong with her?"

Alexa shook her head. "It's the guy... the one who's been filling in for her. She thinks he's Sean... she's completely pissed."

"Saffy doesn't drink," Andrew said.

"She's been taking shots of Firewhisky," Alexa told him.

"What?" Andrew asked taken aback. "How many?"

"I'm not sure," Alexa shook her head. "At least eight or nine... just in the past hour."

Andrew ran a hand through his hair. This wasn't Saffron-like behaviour. He didn't know what was more troublesome. The fact that she was drinking or the fact that Daniel O'Neal was sniffing around her. He knew all about O'Neal's reputation and that was one of the main reason's the reserve seeker for Puddlemere wasn't in attendance at tonight's party.

"I'll go with you," he said. "I'm not sure where RJ is right now."

"We should try and find him since he's his team-mate," Alexa said.

"He's off somewhere with Audrey," Andrew replied.

Alexa nodded. "We should hurry then."

Andrew nodded. He knew he should go tell Natalia he was going but he was worried about Saffron.

"She saw the Grants earlier today," Alexa told him. "I think it's really messed with her head."

"Oh man," Andrew shook his head.

Alexa followed him out of the flat and together they Apparated back to the club. Alexa showed the doorman her ticket.

“Where do you think you’re going?” the doorman asked, grabbing Andrew by the arm. “Where’s your ticket?”

"I don't have one..." Andrew said. "But my friend is in there and she's in trouble."

"And he's Andrew Kirke," Alexa said grinning at the doorman. "The Andrew Kirke."

"Who?" the doorman was unimpressed.

"OH MERLIN!" one of the girls in line shrieked. "WIZARD MCDREAMY!"

"Told you he was famous," Alexa said. "Does someone like him really need a ticket?"

"If he goes in I HAVE to get in," the girl said covetously.

The doorman considered this for a few moments before motioning for Andrew to go on inside.

"Thank you," Andrew said in relief, hurrying after Alexa.

Saffron was thankfully still at the table, but she was sitting on Daniel's lap.

"One more!" she laughed, leaning in.

"A girl after my own heart," Daniel said leaning in as well.

"Mmmhmmm..." she murmured as his lips brushed hers.

Andrew felt red, hot anger pulsing through his veins as he watched this.

"Come on," Alexa tugged at his arm.

Saffron felt warm and fuzzy feelings in her stomach as she looked at Sean.

"I missed you," she said softly.

"I haven't gone anywhere," Daniel said huskily.

Saffron leaned in and kissed him again, more deeply this time.

"Saffy," Andrew said tapping her on the shoulder. "Saffy!"

"We're a bit busy, mate." Daniel said coldly.

"I can see that," Andrew said glaring at him. "Why don't you run along?"

"I don't think the lady here wants me to go," Daniel smirked.

"Hi, Andrew!" Saffron waved.

"Hi Saffy," Andrew said. "Why don't you come with me."

"Where are we going?" Saffron asked him, giggling. She looked at Sean. "Andrew doesn't dance."

"Obviously," Daniel shook his head.

"Let's get a bit of fresh air," Andrew took her hand. "Come on Saf. I could use the company."

"Ooooh," Saffron giggled.

"That's right," Andrew smiled at her. He looked at Alexa and Gabriel. "I'll take care of her..."

"I'll be right back," Saffron promised Sean. "Don't go anywhere, okay? Promise?"

Daniel didn't say anything, only crossed his arms.

Andrew put his arm around his ex-girlfriend to steady her. "Come on, Saffy."

"Just for a minute," Saffron held up a finger. "One... one minute."

Andrew led her over to a quieter spot.

"Where are we?" she asked, stumbling against him.

"You tell me," Andrew said sitting down with her.

"Not outside," Saffron giggled.

"What are you doing?" he asked her softly. "Hmm? This isn't you, Saffy."

"I'm having FUN," Saffron said.

"That bloke isn't Sean," Andrew said gently.

She narrowed her eyes. "What are you talking about?"

"That's Daniel O'Neal," Andrew said. "Not Sean Grant. Alexa told me you saw his parents today..."

Saffron looked away.

"Let me take you home," Andrew said softly. "You don't need to be here, Saffy."

"I don't know what I need anymore," she whimpered.

"Saffy," Andrew said pulling her into a hug.

Saffron clung to him, burying her face in his shoulder.

Andrew held her tightly, wishing he could do something to take away her pain.

"Take me out of here," Saffron looked up at him.

"Okay," Andrew said. "Come on then."

Saffron allowed him to lead her out of the club. "I don't want to go home, Andrew." she said, stumbling a bit.

"I'll take you back to my place," Andrew said. "We'll sober you up, okay?"

"You're having a party," she said.

"It'll be okay," Andrew said softly. "You can hang out in my room. It'll be fine."

"Okay," Saffron leaned against him.

Alexa caught up with them. She was carrying Saffron's cloak and bag. "Thank you for doing this, Andrew."

"Lexie," Saffron said. "Have funnnnn..."

Alexa gave her friend's hand a squeeze. "You're going to be fine, Saffy."

"I'll remind her to ring you tomorrow," Andrew said. "Happy New Year, Lexie."

"You too," Alexa said before hurrying back inside.

"Come on Saf," Andrew took her arm again.

Saffron leaned against him. "Andrew, I--I'm so messed up."

"No you're not," Andrew said. "You're just pissed."

"I don't feel so good," Saffron mumbled.

"I'll help you when we get back," Andrew said.

"Okay," Saffron nodded.

Andrew knew Saffron was in no shape to Apparate so he struggled to get them both back to his flat. "There we go," he said, opening the door.

The party was still in full swing. RJ saw them and crossed the room in a few quick strides. "Saffy?"

"Hmmm?" Saffron let her head fall back. "Hi RJ..."

"Is she---pissed?" RJ asked taken aback.

"Quite so," Andrew said. "I'm taking her to my room to lie down."

Natalia came forward. She'd been looking for him everywhere. "I'll---I'll help."

Andrew froze at the sight of her.

"I was looking for you earlier," Natalia said.

"I'm sorry," he said. "I just... I had to go."

"It's okay," Natalia said quietly. "She--she needed you."

Andrew nodded. "She does."

"I'll help you," Natalia said. "I'll make the sobering potion."

"Thanks," Andrew replied.

Natalia nodded and headed for the kitchen.

"It's so loud," Saffron moaned, her eyes closing.

"It'll be quieter in my room," Andrew said putting his arm around her and leading her through the crowd. RJ followed them.

"Who got her pissed?" RJ asked.

"O'Neal," Andrew said angrily.

RJ's jaw flexed. "That fucking bastard."

Andrew opened the door and helped Saffron over to his bed.

"I saw Sean," Saffron muttered. "He's---he's okay, Andrew. He's okay."

RJ shook his head. "I didn't even think to tell her about the resemblance between Sean and O'Neal. I should have. This is my fault."

"No it's not," Andrew told him.

"It's my fault," Saffron said, her head lolling back on the pillow. "I drank... no one forced me to."

"Why did you, Saffy?" RJ asked. "Aunt Hermione said you were doing so well..."

"I just wanted to have some fun," Saffron cracked her eyes open.

"The kind of fun O'Neal offers, you don't need," RJ said taking off her shoes.

"Stop talking so loud," she moaned. "Please..."

"Sorry," RJ said. "Let's get you comfortable."

Natalia came back in the room. "Here you go." she handed Andrew a steaming mug.

"Thanks, Talia,'" Andrew said gratefully. "Saffy, drink this slowly, okay?"

"Okay," she struggled to sit up.

RJ helped her. "There you go."

Saffron brought the mug to her lips and wanted to retch. "Ugh..." she said as she drank.

Natalia moved over to stand beside Andrew.

"Thanks for making that for her," Andrew said to her.

"It's no problem," Natalia said softly. "I know how important she is to you."

Andrew nodded.

Natalia squeezed his hand.

"Doesn't taste as good as Firewhisky does it, Saf?" RJ teased.

Saffron shuddered. "Hardly." her eyes fixated on Andrew and Natalia holding hands and she looked away.

"You'll thank us for it when you wake up tomorrow without a massive hangover," RJ told her.

Saffron only nodded.

"Get some rest," RJ said.

"I'll stay with you," Andrew volunteered, sensing she didn't want to be alone.

Saffron shook her head. "No, you should get back to your party. I'll be fine."

"Come on Andrew," Natalia said.

"No," Andrew insisted. "I'll stay with you."

Natalia nodded. "Oh. Okay."

"I'll come in a bit and relieve you," RJ told his friend.

"Thanks, mate," Andrew said gratefully.

"Come on, Natalia," RJ said. "You haven't danced with me yet. In fact, you haven't danced all night."

"That's because my boyfriend doesn't like to dance," Natalia said smiling in Andrew's direction.

Andrew shrugged. "Just no good at it, I guess." he said sheepishly.

"You never were," Saffron interjected from the bed.

Natalia silently followed RJ out of the room. She was a little nervous leaving him alone with his ex-girlfriend, but she trusted him.

"It'll be okay," RJ assured her.

"Thanks, RJ," Natalia said smiling at him.

Once they were alone, Andrew placed the covers over Saffron. "How are you feeling?"

"Okay," Saffron shrugged. "I feel like a fool."

"You shouldn't," Andrew told her. "You've been through quite an ordeal."

"It was so hard today," she said quietly. "Being with Sean's parents when I'm the reason he's dead."

"That's not true, Saffy," Andrew told her gently. "He was protecting you."

Saffron's lower lip trembled. "He shouldn't have had to die."

"Did his parents say something to make you feel bad?" Andrew asked.

"No," Saffron said. "They were wonderful. It's just so hard..."

"I know," Andrew said reaching for her hand.

Saffron looked at him. "Why am I so messed up? Why can't things be how they were before?"

"Because of Gordon Devereaux," Andrew said. "He did this. But, you can get past this, Saffy. You are the strongest person I've ever met."

"I screwed up so many things," Saffron shook her head.

"You didn't," Andrew tried to reassure her.

"With you I did," Saffron said quietly. "It was the worst mistake I ever made."

"You and I both did that," Andrew told her.

"I was stubborn and stupid," Saffron said as he moved next to her. "You tried to apologise and I wouldn't accept it because of my stupid pride."

"We both made a lot of mistakes," Andrew said putting his arm around her. "But---we're still friends, Saffy."

"Friends," she nodded, looking away.

"You should get some sleep," Andrew said.

"I hate sleeping," Saffron said. "I have these horrible dreams nearly every single night."

"About Devereaux?" Andrew asked her.

"He's always there," Saffron said. "Calling me my mum's name... sometimes he grabs me and won't let go."

"He can't get you, Saffron," Andrew said softly. "He's in Azkaban and he can never hurt you again."

"He took me away from everyone," Saffron said, her eyes filling with tears. "He took Sean away from his family... and because of him I never got to say goodbye to my Gran."

Andrew hugged her tightly. "I'm so sorry, Saffy. I'm so sorry for that."

Saffron sobbed into his shoulder.

"It will get better," he promised. "It will."

"It doesn't feel like it will," she drew in a shuddery breath. "I just want to be happy again, Andrew."

"You will be," Andrew said holding her close. "You will be. You have so many good things in your life, Saffy."

Saffron shook her head.

"Yes, you do," Andrew said brushing a strand of hair behind her ear. "You have a great family and good friends that love you. And you're about to start your dream career."

Saffron stared into his dark eyes. "What... what about you?" she ventured to ask.

"I'm here for you," Andrew said softly. "You know that."

"You're the only person I really feel like I can open up to," Saffron admitted as he held her closer.

"You can always talk to me," Andrew said.

"I'm lucky to still have you in my life," Saffron said, her voice low.

"You'll always have me," Andrew told her.

"If I had a second chance," Saffron said softly. "I wouldn't let you go this time."

"Saffy," Andrew began.

She looked away but he caught her chin.

"Saffron," he whispered, feeling those old feelings for her again. Truth be told, they'd never really gone away.

"Yeah?" she asked hopefully.

"I--I should get back to the party," Andrew stammered.

"Of course," Saffron said, feeling stupid.

He didn't want to leave her though which was precisely why he should get out of this room.

She didn't want to look at him, she was so embarrassed.

"What is it?" Andrew asked her.

"Nothing," she said, fighting back tears again.

Andrew cupped her face in his hands. "Saffy..."

"If you don't want to be here, just go," she choked out.

"I do want to be here," Andrew said using his thumb to wipe away a tear from her cheek. "Saffy..."

"What?" she asked, her green eyes focused on his. He was so close and it was making her entire body tremble.

Andrew leaned in and brushed his lips against hers.

234. Chapter 234 New Year's Continued

Authors’ note: Quite a reaction from the last chapter. We’re expecting about the same for this chapter. Something HUGE happens that will change everything. Please read and review!

Saffron's eyes popped wide open but she was unable to stop herself from kissing him back. It had been so long and she had missed him so much.

He forgot about everything as he kissed her---the party, what had happened that night. This felt right and he couldn't have stopped himself from doing this than he could have stopped himself from breathing.

"Andrew," she breathed. "Please..."

Andrew pulled away to look at her. "Saffy, I can't do this. Natalia---"

"Please," she begged.

Andrew kissed her again.

Saffron closed her eyes and gave in to him as he pushed her down onto the pillows.

"I've missed you so much," Andrew said huskily.

"I missed you too," she said, pushing his hair out of his eyes.

Andrew kissed her again, wanting to do whatever he could to make her feel better. He hated to see her cry.

"Please keep doing that," Saffron said. "I always loved when you would do that..."

Andrew pulled one of the straps of her dress down and trailed kisses down her neck and shoulder.

"Yes..." she said, tugging at the zipper down her side.

Andrew peeled the dress away from her body. She was the most beautiful girl in the world to him. She always had been.

Saffron felt her breath coming short as she tugged up on his shirt.

Andrew pulled away from her for just a moment to lift his shirt over his head. Saffron raised a hand up to touch his taut stomach and smiled up at him, seeming to give her okay that this was what she wanted.

She nodded as she reached for the buttons of his trousers.

His trousers and boxer shorts soon joined her dress in a pile on the floor. They were going way too fast to think of anything but each other and what was about to happen.

They collapsed back on the bed in a tangle of arms and limbs, their lips fusing together over and over again.

"Saffy," he murmured against her skin.

"Yes," she murmured. "Yes... yes..."

He positioned himself carefully over her. The last thing he wanted to do was hurt her.

"Please Andrew," she said. "Make me feel good..."

He kissed her again as he slowly pressed himself into her.

Saffron clutched onto him as if he would disappear, her nails digging into his back.

He pressed deeper into her and Saffron buried her face in his shoulder to stifle her cries.

"Saffy..." Andrew looked down at her.

"Andrew," Saffron whispered looking up at him. This was the first time she'd felt truly safe since she'd returned home.

"I wanted this," he said. "With you...

"I do too," Saffron said softly. "More than anything."

Andrew kissed her again. "Just move with me..."

"Just don't stop," Saffron said doing as he asked. "Don't ever stop..."

"No," he shook his head. "Never, Saffy."

"I love you," Saffron whispered. "I never stopped. Not ever."

He rested his forehead on hers. "I could never stop loving you."

Saffron held him tighter against her. She wanted all of him.

"Saf," he said breathlessly.

"Mmmmm," Saffron murmured.

"You're amazing," he said. "Absolutely... amazing..."

Saffron kissed him again. She'd thought about what this would be like with him so many times. All those dreams paled into comparison as to what the real thing was like. It was always going to be him.

"Oh God, Saffy..." Andrew said as she pushed harder against him.

Saffron again buried her face in his shoulder as she cried out her release.

Andrew felt her clench around him as their bodies pressed together. "Wow..." he managed.

"Wow," Saffron echoed. "Andrew..."

"If I didn't know better," he pushed her hair back. "I would swear that wasn't your first time. You're incredible Saffy."

Saffron smiled up at him. "I can't believe we just did that."

"After all this time..." he agreed.

"All this time," Saffron said happily.

Andrew moved off to her side as she wrapped her arm around him.

"I didn't hurt you, did I?" he asked her softly.

Saffron shook her head. "Not at all."

He was leaning in to kiss her when he caught sight of the photograph of Natalia on his bedside table.

"Shit..." he said quietly.

"What is it?" Saffron asked.

"Talia," he said.

Saffron felt the happiness she'd experienced fading away. She'd just slept with another girl's boyfriend. A very nice girl who had made a sobering potion for her and seemed genuinely concerned about her welfare. What kind of person did something like that?

"Merlin," she said, pushing the covers back.

Andrew reached for his boxer shorts. Never in his life had he cheated on a girl before. Hell, she'd been in the next room, oblivious to what he'd been doing in here.

"I'm sorry," Saffron whispered. "I'm just going to go home."

Andrew pulled his shirt on and turned to look at her. "I can see you home."

Saffron shook her head. "RJ will."

Andrew nodded. "Okay."

Saffron could hardly look at her ex. "Tell Natalia thank you for the potion."

Andrew didn't know if he'd be able to look his girlfriend in the eyes after what he'd just done. "I'll---I'll go and get RJ."

Once he was gone Saffron sat down again on the bed and fought back her tears. She'd gone from the bottom of the barrel to the top and back to the bottom again.

Andrew walked into the sitting room and saw his girlfriend chatting with Audrey and RJ. When she caught his eye, Natalia waved at him. With a heavy heart, he walked over to them.

"How's Saffy?" Natalia asked with concern. "Did the potion work?"

"Yeah," he said. "She um... she wants to go home. Can you take her?" he looked at RJ.

"Absolutely," RJ replied. "Aud, you promise not to chuck me for someone else while I'm gone, right?"

"Never," Audrey laughed, giving him a kiss. Neither of them noticed Andrew blanch.

"I'll be back in a bit," RJ promised.

"We only have a few minutes left," Natalia said linking her arm with Andrew's. "Until the New Year."

"Yeah," Andrew nodded. "Good thing I came out here..."

"Natalia was telling me about what a great time you had in Italy," Audrey said. "And how you won over her entire family."

"Mama and Papa loved him," Natalia said. "In fact, I think they want to adopt him."

"We had a good time," Andrew said uneasily as RJ and Saffron came into the room and headed for the fireplace. He tried to avoid her eyes yet watch her at the same time.

"Saffron!" Natalia called out.

The brunette froze.

Natalia walked over to her. "I'm glad to see the colour's back on your face."

"Thanks," Saffron said. "The potion helped- that was really nice of you."

"It wasn't a problem," Natalia said smiling at her. "You might still feel a little sick tomorrow morning. If you drink some ginger ale before you go to bed tonight, that should take care of it."

"I will," Saffron forced a smile. "I hope you... you and Andrew have a nice New Year's."

"I'm really glad that you're home safe and sound," Natalia said patting her on the shoulder. "You had an awful lot of people worried about you."

Saffron wanted to dislike this girl in front of her but found it impossible to do so. "Thank you," she said softly. "I appreciate it."

"Happy New Year," Natalia told her.

"You too," Saffron said before following RJ to the fireplace.

They arrived at Saffron's house a few minutes later.

"Are Aunt Hermione and Uncle Harry home?"

Saffron nodded. "They...they were staying in this year."

"I'll walk you in to them," RJ said, taking her arm.

"Thanks, RJ," Saffron said quietly.

"Anything you need," RJ told her. "I mean it, Saffy."

Saffron gave him a hug. "Thank you."

He hugged her back. "Get yourself ready for practise in a few days. And stay away from O'Neal. He's really nothing but bad news."

"Saffy?" Hermione called out. "Is that you, sweetheart?"

"Hi Mum," Saffron answered.

"What are you doing home so early?" Hermione asked. "Hello, RJ."

"Hi, Aunt Hermione," RJ said stepping forward to give her a hug. "Saffy wasn't feeling too well so I brought her home."

Hermione stood up. "Are you okay, sweetheart? Want me to make you some tea? Do you need me to get a healer--"

Saffron shook her head. "I would like some ginger ale. To settle my stomach."

"Coming right up, baby." Harry said, getting to his feet.

"Thanks, Daddy," Saffron said.

"I should get back," RJ said.

Hermione nodded. "Thank you for seeing her home, RJ. That was very sweet of you."

"It's no problem," RJ said. "See you later, Saffy. I'll ring you tomorrow."

Saffron nodded. "Happy New Year, RJ."

He smiled at her before heading back out.

"You do feel a little warm," Hermione said putting her head to her daughter's forehead. She noticed that her daughter had tears in her eyes. "Sweetheart?"

"I just want to go to bed," Saffron turned away.

Hermione put a hand out to stop her. "Baby, what's wrong?"

"I don't want to talk about it," Saffron said.

"Here's your ginger ale," Harry said coming back into the room.

"Thanks," Saffron said quietly.

"How about I sit with you until you go to sleep?" Hermione offered.

Saffron shrugged. "If you want to."

"Of course," Hermione said putting her arm around her.

"Where is everyone else at?" Saffron asked.

"Nick and Julie are at Chiaki's," Hermione said. "Katie's staying with Caroline. Ashley's at her sleepover and Ethan and Maddie are at Will and Frankie's."

"Sounds like everyone's having a good time," Saffron said. Just an hour ago, so had she.

Hermione opened the bedroom door. Puddles jumped off Saffron's bed and hurried over to his mistress.

"Hi baby," Saffron said as he jumped up against her.

Hermione could tell that something was troubling her daughter, but she figured it was something to do with her visit to the Grants this afternoon.

"I'll be okay Mum," Saffron said. "Go back and sit with Dad."

Hermione shook her head. "I don't want to leave you."

"I just want to be by myself," Saffron replied.

"If you're sure," Hermione said.

Saffron nodded and hugged her mother. She wanted badly to talk about what had happened that night, but she wasn't sure if her mother would understand.

"I love you so much, sweetheart," Hermione said. "More than anything."

"I love you too," Saffron said, still blinking back tears. "I'll see you in the morning."

"When you are ready to talk about what's troubling you," Hermione said from the doorway. "I hope you know that I'm here."

Saffron nodded. "I know."

"Good night," Hermione said softly, closing the door behind her.

Saffron waited until she was sure her mother had gone downstairs before breaking down into tears.

What kind of person was she? When she tried to make things right, she made them so much worse than they needed to be.

"I'm horrible, Puddles," she said softly. "I slept with Andrew, but he's with Natalia now."

Puddles cuddled up to her.

"I don't know if I can ever face him again," Saffron rubbed his head.

This was a complete mess and she had no idea how to get herself out of it.

Meanwhile across town, Alexa, Gabriel, Mimi, Jake, Beth and Peter were still at the club waiting to ring in the New Year.

"I'm going to get us some champagne," Jake said. "Peter's paying."

"Hey!" Peter protested.

Gabriel laughed. "He bought the first round. I'll get this one."

"I'll go with and help you sort out the currency," Alexa replied.

"Thank you," Gabriel said gratefully. "I’m still trying to get the whole pounds thing worked out and then you throw pickles and nuts into it..."

Alexa laughed. "Sickles and knuts."

"Whatever they are," Gabriel took her hand. "Are you having fun?"

"Yes," Alexa said. "I'm really glad that Saffy got out of here before that wanker took advantage of her."

"Me too," Gabriel said. "And you look gorgeous tonight, Lexie."

"You look rather handsome tonight as well," Alexa said grinning at him.

He leaned in and gave her a kiss.

"I hope this year brings back the rest of my memories," Alexa said. "I want that more than anything."

"Even if they don't come back, it'll be okay," Gabriel said. "You've got everything in front of you, Lexie. And you'll always have me."

Alexa smiled. "It has been nice getting to know you again."

"It's been especially nice lately," Gabriel wound his arm around her.

"It has been, hasn't it?" Alexa said leaning against him.

"Definitely," he said, nuzzling her ear. "I love you."

Alexa smiled at him. "We should get that champagne."

"Right," he nodded, leading her to the bar.

"What can I get you?" the bartender asked.

"The best bottle of champagne that you have," Gabriel said.

"Gabe!" Alexa gasped.

"What can I say?" Gabriel said. "I've got the most beautiful woman here as my date. I have reason to celebrate."

"That's very generous," Alexa said resting her head on his shoulder while they waited.

"You deserve the best," Gabriel told her.

Alexa instinctively leaned in and kissed him.

Gabriel put his arms around her, deepening the kiss.

"Wow," Alexa said dreamily when they pulled apart.

"Yeah," he said dazedly.

The bartender came back with their champagne and Alexa helped Gabriel figure out the currency. Alexa carried the glasses back to the table, while Gabriel followed with the bottle.

"Wow," Beth said upon seeing it. "That's good stuff, Gabe!"

"We have a lot to celebrate, don't we?" Gabriel asked with a grin.

"We sure do," Alexa said as he popped the cork on the bottle.

"Three minutes," Mimi told them.

Alexa snuggled next to her boyfriend. "Anyone want to make a toast?"

"I do," Mimi said standing up. "This last year had a lot of good times, but a lot of bad times, too. But, Saffy's home and Alexa is getting her memories back slowly but surely. I think the best is yet to come for all of us!"

"Hear, hear." Gabriel raised his glass. "Good one."

Beth raised her glass. "You forgot your mum's engagement, Meems."

"Oh yeah," Mimi grinned. "Oliver Wood is going to be my new stepfather... which I can't believe!"

"He is soooooo hot," Beth gushed.

"Gross, Beth." Mimi complained.

"Is this the bloke you told me was a little older than my dad?" Gabriel asked Alexa.

Alexa nodded. "And Beth worships the ground he walks on."

"That's sort of weird, isn't it?" Gabriel asked with a grin.

"Try completely weird," Mimi said. "There were girls in school who deliberately got in trouble so they'd get detention to be near him. And, I was one of them, but that was before he started dating my mum. That kind of put the old kibosh on that."

Jake nudged her. "I'd like to think I had something to do with that, too."

"Oh you had a big something," Mimi grinned at him.

"Good answer," Jake said leaning in to give her a kiss.

The DJ began the countdown and Alexa giggled as Gabriel pulled her into his lap. "I want to be holding on to you right at midnight."

"I'm okay with that," Alexa wrapped her arms around his neck.

"Ten...nine...eight," the crowd shouted.

"Seven," Gabriel rested his forehead against his girlfriend's.

"Six," Alexa said smiling at him.

"Five," Beth and Mimi chimed in happily. "Four! Three!"

"Two....one!" the crowd shouted. "Happy New Year!"

"Happy New Year," Alexa smiled at Gabriel before leaning in and kissing him.

Gabriel snaked his arms around her waist and deepened the kiss.

Alexa felt like her body was on fire when they broke apart. "Gabe..." she said softly.

"Yeah?" he asked looking at her.

"I love you," she whispered.

She hadn't said those words to him in so long. He'd thought he'd never hear them again. "You do?"

"Yeah," she said, a tiny smile on her face. "I just... you're such a great guy, Gabe. I'm so lucky you stuck by me through this."

"I love you," Gabriel said. "I'd stand by you through anything, Lexie."

"You already have," Alexa gave him another kiss. "I have some more good news for you too."

"What's that?" Gabriel asked her.

"I'll be going to school again this fall," Alexa said with a grin. "In the States. My parents talked to the admissions office just this morning."

Gabriel grinned. "Really?"

Alexa nodded. "So now we'll be able to see each other a lot more often."

Gabriel hugged her to him. "Lexie, that's the best news!"

"I could hardly wait to tell you all night," Alexa hugged him back.

Gabriel kissed her feeling happier than he had in months. Everything seemed to be falling back into place.

"You two are worse than my mum and Oliver," Mimi teased them.

"We're not that bad, are we?" Alexa laughed.

"It's okay if we are," Gabriel said, squeezing her waist.

"We're proud of it," Alexa said. Tonight, had been perfect. The only thing missing had been her best friend. "Gabe? Do you mind if I borrow your mobile?"

"Sure," Gabriel reached into his pocket.

Mimi took out her wand. "I'll put a quieting charm around you so you'll be able to hear."

Alexa smiled gratefully at her. "Thanks, Meems."

She dialled the telephone number and frowned when she got Saffy's voice mail. "Hey, Saffy. It's me. I hope that you're doing okay and that you're not mad at me for bringing Andrew. I was just worried about you. Happy New Year, Saffy! We all miss you!"

"HAPPY NEW YEAR!" the rest of the group chorused into the phone before Alexa turned it off.

"I'm sure she's fine," Mimi assured her. "Andrew and RJ will look out for her."

Alexa nodded. "I hope so."

"Saffy's strong," Beth said. "She's going to get through this. We'll help her."

"That's right," Mimi nodded.

Back at the minister's mansion, Hermione and Harry had watched the festivities in London on the television. It was one of the quietest New Year's they'd ever had, but given what they'd been through, they were happy for the peace and quiet.

"I wonder if I should go check on Saffron," Hermione said just after the New Year had rung in.

"Do you think something happened?" Harry asked.

Hermione nodded. "But she wouldn't say."

"I wish I could turn back time so she wouldn't have to go through all of that," Harry said wistfully. "It kills me to see her like that."

"Me too," Hermione replied. "I'd have gone through the situation with Gordon all over again if it meant sparing her and Ethan."

"I should have killed him when I had the chance," Harry said staring at the fireplace.

"Then you'd be in Azkaban," Hermione put a hand on her husband's arm.

"And no help to anyone," Harry said putting his arm around her.

"Right," Hermione leaned against him. "So do you think I should check on her or leave her alone?"

"Check on her," Harry said. "It'll ease your mind because I know you. You'll worry all night if you don't."

"You do know me too well," Hermione nodded, getting up.

"I'll get us another glass of wine," Harry said giving her a kiss.

"Sounds good," Hermione said, heading for her daughter's room.

Hermione gently knocked on the door. "Saffy?"

There was no answer so Hermione pushed the door open. "Sweetheart?"

Her daughter was in bed and the lights were off save for the lamp on her daughter's bedside table. Puddles was resting comfortably at the foot of the bed.

"Saffy?" she whispered. "Are you awake, baby?"

Saffron wiped at her eyes. "Yes," she said hoarsely.

"Why don't you tell me what happened?" Hermione urged gently.

Saffron shook her head. "I can't, Mum."

"How come?" Hermione sat on the edge of the bed.

"I'm a terrible person," Saffron sobbed.

"No you're not," Hermione gathered her in her arms.

Saffron sobbed into her mother's shoulder, feeling that she didn't deserve her mother's comfort, but wanting it just the same.

"Baby," Hermione soothed her. "Let it out..."

"Mummy," Saffron said looking at her. "I don't want you to hate me."

"I could never hate you, sweetheart." Hermione smoothed back her hair. "Not ever."

"I can't talk about it just yet," Saffron said resting her head on her mother's shoulder. "I just can't..."

"Why not?" Hermione urged.

"Something happened tonight," Saffron said looking away.

"Did someone hurt you?" Hermione asked. "Or say something?"

Saffron shook her head, debating whether or not to tell her mother what had happened.

Hermione's heart broke for her daughter.

"We----we were at the club," Saffron began. "I felt like a fifth wheel, but they were all being so nice and trying to include me. But, I just couldn't stop thinking about the Grants."

"I'm sure it was very difficult going over there," Hermione said.

"I had a shot of Firewhisky," Saffron continued. "And one shot turned into two and three...."

"You were drinking?" Hermione asked in astonishment.

Saffron nodded sheepishly. "I shouldn't have, I know. But, I was just feeling so sad and I wanted to forget..."

"That's not the way to forget things, baby." Hermione said softly.

"I know that now," Saffron said wiping at her eyes. "I---I met this bloke from Puddlemere, Daniel. He was charming and he seemed to know all the right things to say."

"That's the one who's been filling in for you?" Hermione asked.

Saffron nodded. "He and I kept drinking and dancing and I guess Lexie was scared about what might happen since he's got a bit of a reputation."

"What did happen?" Hermione asked.

"We kissed is all," Saffron told her mother. "I'm sure he would have liked it to go further, but..."

Hermione breathed a sigh of relief. "You didn't. I'm glad."

Saffron wondered what her mother would think once she heard the rest of the story. "Anyway, Alexa left to get RJ, but I guess he was having his big party and she brought Andrew instead."

"Was that awkward?" she asked.

"I was so pissed," Saffron said looking down at her lap. "And Daniel...he looked so much like Sean."

"Oh baby," Hermione kissed her forehead.

"Andrew took me back to his flat," Saffron said. "And his girlfriend Natalia, she made a sobering potion for me."

"That was very nice of her," Hermione said assuming that was the reason Saffron was so upset.

"It was," Saffron said as new tears welled up in her eyes. "She's a very nice girl. I wanted to hate her, but she's so....nice."

"That's the hardest part," Hermione nodded.

Saffron nodded and ran a hand through her hair. "Andrew sat with me afterwards. We talked about what had been happening and I just felt so safe and warm with him, Mum. I haven't felt that way in so long."'

"I don't think first loves ever go away," Hermione said. "I wouldn't know for sure, since I wound up with mine."

"You and Daddy are so lucky," Saffron said softly.

"You'll find love again, when you're ready," Hermione hugged her tightly.

"Mum," Saffron said trying to stave off her tears. "Andrew and I---"

"You and Andrew what?" Hermione asked.

"We...slept together," Saffron whispered.

For a moment, Hermione didn't comprehend what her daughter said. "You what?"

Saffron pulled away. "It just happened..."

"You slept with Andrew?" Hermione asked again.

Saffron's lower lip trembled and she couldn't meet her mother's gaze.

"Oh, baby," Hermione said, her voice tinged with disappointment.

Saffron couldn't hold back the tears anymore.

Hermione drew her daughter back to her again and hugged her tightly.

"You're disappointed in me," Saffron said quietly.

"Yes," Hermione said honestly. "But I could never hate you."

"I'm so sorry, Mum," Saffron said in a voice barely above a whisper.

"It's not me you should apologise to," Hermione said gently.

"She was worried about me," Saffron said wiping at her eyes. "Before I left, she was telling me what to do to make sure I wasn't sick in the morning. I couldn't even look at her, Mum!"

"You and Andrew owe her an explanation," Hermione replied. "And a very big apology. But that's up to the two of you."

"She didn't deserve this," Saffron said unable to look at her mother.

"No she didn't," Hermione agreed. "But you're a grown up now, Saffron. When you do something like this you've got to take the repercussions that go with it."

"Is everything okay in here?" Harry asked from the doorway.

Saffron jumped and Hermione nodded. "We’re just talking."

"Saffy?" Harry asked, seeing her tear-stained cheeks.

"I'm okay," Saffron turned her face away.

"You're obviously not," Harry said stepping into the room. "Did someone hurt you?"

"No one hurt her," Hermione assured him.

"Can I do anything to make it better?" Harry asked.

"No one can," Saffron mumbled.

"I'm going to stay with her for awhile," Hermione told her husband.

Harry nodded, his eyes full of concern. "If there's anything I can do..."

"She knows," Hermione said.

"I'm going to bed," Harry replied. "Good night."

"Good night, Harry," Hermione said smiling reassuringly at her husband. "I'll be in shortly."

"Night Daddy," Saffron said softly.

"Good night, sweetheart," Harry said. "I love you."

"Love you too," Saffron managed a tiny smile.

Saffron pulled back her covers and got back into bed. Hermione climbed in beside her and Saffron cuddled up to her. When she was a child, doing this would instantly make her feel better. But, she wasn't a kid anymore.

"Just go to sleep, baby." Hermione said. "Things will look up in the morning."

Saffron doubted that.

"And know that despite everything, your father and I will love you no matter what."

"I love you too," Saffron whispered. "I'm sorry I disappointed you, Mum."

Hermione kissed her forehead. "You've got a lot to work out, baby."

"Stay with me, Mum," Saffron said closing her eyes.

"I won't leave until you're asleep," Hermione promised.

It didn't take long for Saffron to drift off to sleep. Hermione gently got up from the bed and tiptoed out of the room.

Harry was waiting up for her. "How is she?"

"Sleeping," Hermione said closing the bedroom door behind her.

"Did she tell you what was wrong?" he asked.

Hermione nodded.

"And?" Harry raised his eyebrows.

"She's dealing with a lot of things right now," Hermione said thoughtfully.

"Was tonight some sort of catalyst?" Harry was curious.

"You could say that," Hermione said with a sigh.

"You're not going to tell me any more than that, are you?" Harry said as she changed into her pyjamas.

"She was barely able to tell me, Harry," Hermione told him.

"She wasn't hurt, right?" Harry asked.

Hermione shook her head. "No, she wasn't. She's just going need some time to figure some things out is all."

Harry nodded. "Okay. I won't pry."

"Thank you," Hermione said hugging him.

"Let's hope this year turns out better than the last," Harry said as he wrapped his arms around her.

"Merlin, I hope so," Hermione said resting her forehead on his.

"I can't imagine how it wouldn't be," Harry kissed her.

"I love you," Hermione whispered.

"I love you too," Harry tucked her hair behind her ear.

"Thank you for my dinner," Hermione said. "You outdid yourself as always."

"Only the best for you," Harry replied.

"Do you think everyone's having a good time at the Ministry ball?" Hermione asked.

"I'm sure they are," Harry said. "But I was glad to have you all to myself tonight."

"It's the first one we've missed, but I just couldn't deal with all of that tonight," Hermione said.

"I think everyone understands," Harry said, waving his hand to make the lights go out.

Hermione grinned. "Do you remember the ones we used to go to when you were a young Auror and I was just a student?"

"We felt so out of place," Harry nodded.

"And we'd dance," Hermione said with a grin.

"And show off," Harry said. "Really, really show off."

"And raise a few eyebrows," Hermione said. "Of all the old, stodgy types."

"And then you became Minister," Harry nuzzled her ear.

"And we became the old, stodgy types," Hermione laughed.

"Never stodgy," Harry replied.

"Never stodgy," Hermione agreed.

"Night, sweetheart." Harry said, holding her close.

"Good night, Harry," Hermione said softly. "Love you."

"Love you too," Harry replied.

Hermione closed her eyes and said a silent prayer that her youngest daughter would be able to figure things out and find some peace.

235. Chapter 235--Darla's Trip to NYC

Authors’ note: We’re still getting requests to update more than once a week. We cannot do that because of our jobs and how we really want to remain ahead in our writing. We would update more if we could, but we’d probably have to write 24-7 to do that. We hope you understand. We’re also toying around with starting a brand new story at some point and we’d like to have some time for that as well. We hope you understand. We love you guys!

In this chapter, you get a break from the Saffy/Andrew/Natalia drama. This one is Ethan/Maddie and Frankie/Will/Hannah along with some Drew and Darla stuff. We hope you enjoy!

Across town, Ethan, Maddie, Kiera and Blue were enjoying themselves at Frankie and Will's house.

Hannah giggled as Blue flew around her head throwing popcorn as he did so.

"Blue," Maddie said with a grin. "You're making a mess!"

"He's so funny!" Hannah giggled.

"He loves Kiera," Maddie said, looking at her daughter.

"He even hums her to sleep each night," Ethan told Hannah. "She won't go to sleep without it."

"That's so cute," Hannah said wistfully.

"Blue?" Maddie asked. "Why don't you show Hannah?"

Blue cackled, turning a few somersaults in the air.

Will chuckled. "He's a bit of a show off. I imagine he got that from Ethan..."

"Yeah right," Ethan replied. "He didn't even like me for the longest time."

"Show everyone how you can sing," Maddie said as Blue landed on her shoulder.

"Please Blue?" Hannah asked.

Blue rubbed his tiny hands together. "Hmmm....mmmm.....hmmmmmm," he hummed.

Hannah giggled with delight. "That's so good, Blue!"

"Oh, he's just getting warmed up," Maddie said winking at Hannah.

Kiera's eyes were wide open, watching Blue as he hummed.

"That's 'Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star'!" Hannah squealed.

"That's my smart little pixie," Maddie said with pride.

"Look at Kiera," Hannah said peering down at the baby. "She's smiling!"

"She looks just like her mum," Ethan said, lifting his daughter out.

Maddie smiled as she watched her husband with their daughter.

Kiera cooed up at her father, who laughed. "Are you trying to talk to me, baby?" Ethan asked.

"She's saying 'I have you wrapped around my little finger'," Frankie joked.

Ethan grinned. "She sure does."

"Just like this one has me," Will said tickling Hannah.

"Izzie's the same way," Hannah said, laughing.

"You've got him right where you want him," Frankie said with a grin.

"All my girls know that," Will replied saucily.

Hannah gave her father a hug. "Because you're the bestest daddy."

"You're the bestest too, sweetheart," Will kissed his daughter's head.

Hannah leaned against him. "How much longer till midnight, Daddy?"

Will checked his watch. "Just a little while, baby."

"Think you can make it?" Frankie asked her.

Hannah nodded. "Can I have a little more soda?"

"Sure," Frankie stood up. "Can I get anyone else something?"

"Champagne?" Ethan asked.

"Ooh and some more of those crisps, please," Maddie said with a grin.

Frankie laughed. "Coming right up."

"Did you have fun at Emma's party earlier?" Maddie asked Hannah.

Hannah nodded. "She got soooooo many presents!"

"She was more interested in the chocolate cake," Maddie laughed.

Hannah giggled. "That's what she liked the most!"

"Did you see her eyes when Allie brought the cake out?" Ethan asked.

"They were this big!" Hannah made her fingers into circles.

Will laughed. "They sure were, baby."

"Champagne and crisps," Frankie said, coming back into the room. "And I think Isabelle and Nathan want to come and celebrate with us."

"I'll help you with them," Maddie said.

Together the two friends headed upstairs to the nursery.

"So I've been dying to ask you," Frankie said. "What's going on with Darla and Hans?"

Maddie sighed. "I've never seen them fight like this. He wants to move them to New York, and she refuses to go."

"Weren't they supposed to have a big press conference announcing his contract tonight?" Frankie asked.

Maddie nodded. "Darla's over with Drew and Brian at the Ministry Ball tonight."

"I am married and I love my husband, but those photos of Hans are gorgeous," Frankie said opening the door to the nursery.

"I know," Maddie said. "I think so too, and he's my brother in law!"

Frankie giggled. "We're awful people, aren't we?"

"Just terrible," Maddie said wryly, lifting Nathan from his crib. "Hello handsome," she said softly.

Nathan smiled at her and reached out for a strand of her hair.

"Ow!" Maddie exclaimed dramatically. "Nathan Barron, what are you trying to do!"

"Make you bald," Frankie said. "Will was complaining that he's thinning due to Nathan's grip."

"And not because he's getting older, right?" Maddie asked with a grin.

"They're almost a year old," Frankie shook her head. "I can't believe it."

"I know," Maddie said making a goofy face at Nathan. "They're getting so big, Frankie."

"Too big," Frankie said, quickly changing Izzie's nappy.

"Muh," Isabelle said looking up at Frankie. "Muh-Muh."

Frankie gasped. "Maddie! Did you hear that?"

"What?" Maddie asked.

"Izzie just said her first word!" Frankie squealed.

Maddie gasped too.

"Muh-Muh," Isabelle said again.

"Oh Frankie!" Maddie said. "I can't believe she just spoke!"

Frankie picked up her daughter and hugged her to her. "Oh, sweetheart. You just made Mummy's day!"

"Let's go tell everyone," Maddie said, hugging Nathan to her.

"Let's," Frankie said carrying Isabelle out of the nursery. "Oh, William!"

"Yeah?" he asked as they came into the sitting room.

"Izzie has something she'd like to share," Frankie said happily.

Will's eyebrows knit together. "A dirty nappy?"

"No," Frankie glared at him. "Be serious, William!"

Isabelle looked at her father with wide-eyes. "Da-Da."

A huge grin spread across Will's handsome face. "Frankie! She's talking!"

Frankie nodded. "But before you get all excited, she said my name first! I have a witness, right, Mads?"

"That's right," Maddie grinned. "She was chatting with us upstairs."

"That's fantastic!" Will exclaimed. "Way to go, Isabelle!"

"Now this little guy's got to catch up," Maddie said, nuzzling Nathan's soft cheek.

"He will," Frankie said. "He's a smart little guy."

"Hear that Kiki?" Ethan asked his daughter. "We've got some coaching to do..."

Kiera smiled up at her father.

"That's my girl," Ethan said happily.

Maddie sat down with Nathan. "This is the best, isn't it? Being here like this?"

"Yes it is," Frankie agreed.

"I like it too," Hannah chimed in as she fed some crisps to Blue.

"This is definitely better than getting dressed up and going out to that ball," Ethan said.

"I sort of miss doing that," Frankie said. "Dressing up and going out. But then again... hearing Izzie talk for the first time definitely beat out."

"Ma-ma," Isabelle said clearly this time and smiling at Frankie as she did so.

Frankie hugged her infant daughter to her. "My big girl," she said, tears springing to her eyes.

"I hope she says my name next," Hannah said.

"I'm sure it's not far behind, sweetheart," Will told her.

"Pretty soon, both of them will be talking your ears off," Maddie told her.

"I'll teach them both how to talk," Hannah decided.

"You know, my mum told me that when I was a baby," Maddie said. "Drew and Darla used to stand over my crib all the time trying to get me to talk. They were sure that I was going to say one of their names first...and I did...kind of. My first word was ...Doo-doo. I was trying to saw 'Drew'."

"That's why I used to call Chiaki, Kiki," Ethan said, patting Kiera's back. "I couldn't say her name when I was a kid."

"You still call her that," Maddie pointed out.

"Now I can call my girl that too," Ethan grinned down at his daughter.

"I like that," Hannah said sitting down beside Ethan and looking at the baby.

"Want to hold her?" Ethan offered.

"Can I?" Hannah asked eagerly.

"Sure," Ethan said, carefully handing Kiera over to Hannah. "You're a pro!"

Hannah grinned down at the baby. "Hi, Kiki."

Kiera gurgled at her.

"That's baby talk for 'Hi, Hannah'," Will winked at his daughter.

Hannah giggled. "She's so cute, Daddy!"

"She is," Will said grinning at her.

"We're almost there," Maddie said after checking the clock.

"You know what else I can't believe?" Frankie asked.

"What's that, love?" Will asked.

"That we've had Hannah for three years already," Frankie replied with a grin.

Hannah looked up in surprise. "Really?"

Frankie nodded. "Three fantastic years."

Hannah beamed at her. "I think so too, Mummy."

Hannah handed Kiera back to Ethan and went over to carefully give her mother a hug.

"That's my girl," Frankie said hugging her tightly.

Will bounced Izzie gently. "Are you ready to ring in the New Year?" he asked with a goofy grin.

"Da?" Isabelle asked looking up at him.

"My smart girl," Will said proudly.

Isabelle giggled and held up her little hand.

"I love it when she laughs," Hannah said softly.

"Me too," Will said as Isabelle curled her little hand around his finger.

"Hannah, I know that you're having a lot of fun right now, but after midnight, you and your brother and sister are going to bed," Frankie reminded her.

Hannah pouted. "But I'm not that sleepy."

"I'll read you a story," Frankie promised.

"Okay," Hannah brightened.

"She's a sucker for a story," Frankie said.

"Especially Mummy's," Hannah replied.

"What about mine?" Will asked her. "Oh...wait. I know. The two of you are going to read those letters again, aren't you?"

"Guilty," Frankie said sheepishly.

"They're really good," Hannah said.

Will shook his head with a grin.

"Witch Weekly and Teen Witch Weekly have both come out with new issues," Hannah said. "We have to read them, Daddy."

"Before they go out of style, right?" Will asked.

"He's finally catching on after all this time," Frankie said giggling.

"About time," Hannah nodded solemnly.

"Speaking of time," Maddie said pointing toward the telly.

"Almost here," Ethan said. "Are you ready for your first New Year's, baby girl?" he asked Kiera.

Kiera let out a little yawn.

"Somehow I think she's a little bored," Maddie teased.

"She's over the whole party thing," Ethan said with a grin.

The two new parents watched their daughter's eyes blink closed. "I'm so glad I'm here for this," Ethan said softly.

"Me too," Maddie said resting her head on his shoulder. "Me too, Ethan."

He gave her a kiss. "Love you."

"Love you too," Maddie said as the countdown began.

"Ten!" Hannah counted happily. "Nine! Eight!"

"Seven! Six! Five!" Frankie chimed in.

"Four!" Maddie said happily. "Three... two..."

"One!" they all chorused. Blue excitedly flew around and around everyone's heads.

"Da! Da! Da!" Nathan unexpectedly shouted.

"Two for two!" Will said happily.

"You said Daddy's name, Nathan!" Hannah exclaimed. "Way to go, buddy!"

Nathan waved his little arms in the air, his eyes focused on Blue.

"Blue is dancing!" Maddie laughed as the pixie tapped his little feet on the coffee table.

"Ooooh!" Hannah said. "I've never seen him do that before!"

"Neither have we," Maddie said looking in awe at the pixie.

Blue twittered as he kicked up his tiny feet.

"He's definitely a better dancer than you, Ethan," Frankie said.

"I'm not a bad dancer," Ethan said defensively.

"He's a very good dancer," Maddie said. "Especially in the snow..."

"Twirling," Will teased.

"You're never going to let me live that down, are you?" Ethan asked.

"No way," Will smirked.

"It's okay," Maddie said. "He's just jealous because he doesn't twirl. Besides, it was your twirling that landed you me, Ethan."

"And vice versa," Ethan kissed his wife.

"Well, it's time to get our three to bed," Frankie said. "Hannah, go and get into your pj's and brush your teeth."

"Okay," Hannah said. "Bye Blue!"

Blue flew over to her and pecked her on the cheek.

Hannah giggled. "Good night!"

"Izzie," Frankie said hugging her daughter to her. "Let's get you and your brother to bed."

"Ma?" Isabelle asked.

"That's right my baby girl," Frankie nuzzled Isabelle's soft cheek.

"You too, buddy," Will said picking up Nathan.

"We should get this one home as well," Ethan set Kiera back into her carrier. "Thanks for having us over."

"Come here, Blue," Maddie said opening up his portable cage.

The pixie twittered and flew back into his cage, diving for his swing.

Maddie locked the cage. "This has been a great New Year's Eve. Thanks again, Frankie and Will."

"Anytime," Frankie said.

Maddie smiled at her friend. It had been a great night. She just hoped that her sisters and parents were having just as good a time at the Ministry ball.

Drew and Brian were having a great time. They had just celebrated the stroke of midnight and were enjoying a kiss in the middle of the dance floor.

"I should check in with Nana to make sure that Chloe's okay," Drew said.

"Sounds good," Brian said. "I'll go sit with Darla and keep her company."

"Ask her to dance," Drew said. "She hasn't danced all night. Unless you count the time she went out there with Dad and she just stood there while he did that goofy dance of his."

"Will do," Brian gave her one more kiss.

When Brian made it back to their table, Darla was asking the waiter to bring her over some dessert. "You would like a piece of cheesecake?" the waiter asked.

Darla shook her head. "Just bring the whole thing."

"I beg your pardon?" the waiter asked.

"You heard," Darla said. "The whole cake."

Brian laughed. "Surely you'll save your dad at least one piece, Dar."

"Yeah, maybe," Darla said grumpily.

"Come on and dance with me," Brian coaxed.

"Drew told you to task me, didn't she?" Darla asked.

"Guilty as charged," Brian said sheepishly. "But come on Darla. You haven't moved hardly at all tonight."

"Okay," Darla said taking his hand. "Fine."

"Great," he smiled. "I'll make sure to step on your feet."

Darla barely heard him. She hadn't heard from Hans since he'd left for New York. But, she'd have thought he would have called her to wish her a Happy New Year. It wouldn't be New Year's in the States for a few hours, but he knew what time it was in London. He should have called to wish her a Happy New Year.

"I won't bite," Brian said, noticing her faraway look.

"Sorry," Darla apologised. "I'm a little preoccupied with my absentee husband."

"Still haven't heard anything?" he asked sympathetically.

"No," Darla said grumpily.

"I'm sure he'll ring," Brian assured her.

Darla had her doubts about that.

"He loves you," Brian told her.

"He loves being nearly starkers on a billboard more," Darla said.

"Dar," Brian said. "You two need to talk and figure this out."

"Are you saying I should go to New York?" Darla asked. "Tonight?"

Brian shrugged. "That's up to you. But you both need to figure out a compromise."

"I don't want to move," Darla said.

"I don't think Drew would let you," Brian was only half joking.

"I know how hard he's worked and I don't begrudge him this success, but he didn't even ask me what I thought about all of this before he plunged right ahead," Darla tried to explain.

"And that's why you two need to talk," Brian pointed out. "I bet you've hardly exchanged a word since that discussion."

Darla sighed. "You know how much I hate to admit that you're right."

"About as much as Drew does," he grinned at her.

Darla grinned back at him. "Okay, well I'm going to go back to my place and pack an overnight bag. I have to ring in the New Year for the second time...with my husband."

Brian laughed. "I'll cover for you."

Darla gave him a hug and a peck on the cheek. "Tell Drew I'll call her later!"

"I will," Brian promised as she hurried away.

Drew stopped by the Portkey office and set up a portkey to New York in the next two hours. She didn't have much time, but she wanted to make sure she could spend some time with her husband before his big press conference.

After that, she ran home and packed a bag quickly. She was glad she was wearing a dress and not robes.

She'd missed him so much even though she'd been so angry when he'd left. And maybe when she met his agents, they'd see how much in love they were and not worry about their marriage affecting his career.

Darla just hoped he missed her as much as she missed him. She grabbed her bag and headed back to the Ministry.

In New York City, Hans was having cocktails with some of the other models and his agents before the press conference began. "These things are so boring," Katya, one of the female models said to Hans.

Hans smirked and nodded. "But they pay us to look entertained.

"And beautiful," Katya laughed. "Don't forget that."

Hans smiled crookedly. "Never could."

"You know, all the girls are going to love you especially with that accent," Katya told him.

"It's always been a draw," Hans said, drinking from his glass of scotch.

Katya nudged him. "It certainly drew me in."

Hans smiled politely.

Hans nodded. "I think so."

"Good," his agent said. "We're going to have you behind the curtain with Katya and Michaela. When they make the announcement, the curtains will pull back and you'll be wearing the same thing you're wearing in the billboard. Katya, you and Michaela know that you have to sell this, right? "

Katya smiled. "Absolutely."

Just outside the room, Darla was trying unsuccessfully to get the host to let her into the room.

"You're not on the list," the guard told her.

Darla didn't want to get Hans into any trouble so she didn't mention that she was his wife. "I---I'm a friend of Hans. He's one of the models. Can't you let me in?"

"You're not on the list," the guard repeated.

"I know," Darla said impatiently. "But, if you could just go inside and tell him that Darla's here, he'll let me in."

"If you're not on the list," the guard stated. "Then--"

The door opened and Darla spotted her husband just inside the room. "HANS!"

He turned just as the door began to swing shut again. "Dar?"

"Who's that?" Katya asked.

Hans didn't answer her. "I'll be right back."

Darla stood back as Hans came outside. "Dar?"

"Surprise," Darla said smiling at him. "I--I wanted to be here for your big night."

"I... I didn't expect to see you until I got home..." Hans was staring at her.

"Neither did I," Darla said a little worried that he didn't seem all that happy to see her. "But I was at the Ministry ball and Brian said that we needed to talk. So here I am..."

"I was just about to go onstage..." Hans said.

Katya stepped outside. "Hans, darling. They're ready for us."

Darla stared at the model before her; the woman was draped in satiny lingerie, her long hair curled and makeup done perfectly.

"Stephen?" Hans asked the security guard. "Could you make sure that Darla has a seat?"

"Yes sir," Stephen nodded, making a notation on his list. "Right away."

"Time to get you out of those clothes," Katya said grabbing Hans by the arm.

Darla sucked in her breath, wondering if she'd made a huge mistake. She bit her lower lip as she began to turn away.

"Dar?" Hans called after her.

She turned and looked back at him.

"I'm really glad that you're here," Hans said smiling at her.

Darla smiled too, a feeling of relief washing over her. "I missed you."

Hans turned and followed Katya back inside.

"Follow me," the guard told her.

Darla nodded and followed him into an adjoining room where a crowd of people were waiting. Someone handed her a gift bag of Calvin Klein items.

"Thank you," she said in surprise.

She took her seat just as the lights in the room dimmed.

Darla had been to some of the fashion shows in England that Hans participated in, but none of them had been anything like this. She stared up in awe at the huge sign that was covered with a large cloth.

Backstage, Hans positioned himself in between Katya and Michaela.

"We are going to be on fire tonight, Hans," Katya said, her lips touching his ear.

"I hope so," Hans said. "Nothing like this has ever happened to me."

"That's because we just met," Katya said huskily.

"Do we need to hose you down?" Michaela asked her sarcastically.

Katya gave her a dirty look and tossed her hair back.

"We need to pose just like we'll be in the billboard," Michaela reminded her.

"Right," Hans replied, loosening his robe.

Katya licked her lips as she watched him.

"Could you reel it in, just a bit?" Michaela asked.

"Jealous much?" Katya asked sarcastically.

"Hardly," Michaela fired back. "But I don't hang over someone I could never have."

The stylist helped position them under the watchful eye of the executives.

"Turn him a little more there," one of them said. "And you... with the black hair. Step away just an inch..."

"Right," Michaela nodded.

"Hold it just like that," the art director said, moving around them in a full circle.

"That's perfect," an executive said thoughtfully. "That just oozes sex."

"Mmmhmmm..." Katya purred.

The art director, stylist and executives stepped back. The moment of truth was finally here. Hans felt his heart beating a mile a minute.

Darla watched the stage anxiously as the curtains started to draw back.

"Introducing the new face of Calvin Klein," the announcer said. "Hans Feinbach."

A huge roar rose from the crowd and Darla felt short of breath when she saw her husband standing up there.

"Hans embodies all that Calvin Klein stands for," the announcer continued.

"He embodies a lot of other things," Darla heard a female voice say from somewhere behind her as flashbulbs began to pop all over the place.

"Where has he been all my life?" the woman beside her asked.

Darla shook her head. She could hardly take her eyes off Hans and was bursting with pride that it was HER husband up there.

The announcer went on about the ad campaign and what products Hans would be representing.

"Underwear," the same woman said behind her gleefully.

Hans walked the catwalk with Katya and Michaela.

He was dying to look down to see if his wife was anywhere near the catwalk but knew he'd lose his balance. With the flashing of the cameras, it was difficult to see anything. The press for this event blew away everything he'd ever done before in his career.

"Hans will take some questions from the press now," the announcer said. "Hans..."

"Hello," Hans said, stepping to the microphone. He was still flanked by Michaela and Katya.

"Hans, how are you finding New York City and all this attention?" one of the reporters asked.

"It's definitely different," Hans replied. "Far bigger than anything I've ever seen. And New York is a fantastic city."

"You've never done anything on this scale before," another reporter asked. "Can you handle the pressure and the spotlight?"

"Definitely," Hans replied.

"I guess the whole boxers and briefs question is out of the bag," another reporter said cheekily.

Hans laughed. "There's one secret revealed."

"Is there anyone special in your life?" the same reporter asked.

Darla sat up in her seat. What would he say?

"No," Hans said with a sexy, charming grin. "I'm single."

The smile dropped off her face and the elation she had felt just moments before came crashing down. How could he?

Hans fielded some more questions and by the end of the press conference, he'd won the crowd over.

All but one. Darla sat, her arms crossed, positively fuming. She couldn't believe she'd come over here only to have him deny her existence!

"Miss?" the same guard who had led into the room was asking her. "Mr. Feinbach is asking for me to take you to his dressing room."

Darla shook her head in disbelief.

"Just this way, miss," the guard motioned for her to follow him.

Reluctantly she picked up her things and followed the guard through the crowd.

"He'll join you shortly," the guard said opening the door for her.

Darla swept past him and threw her things onto the long black sofa.

She was knackered from the portkey travel and more than that she was angry. She'd known that this was what he was supposed to do, but she'd have thought he'd have changed his mind when he saw her there. She'd come here to support him and she felt as if she really shouldn't have even bothered.

The door cracked open and Hans came inside a few moments after that.

"Hey, you," Hans said coming toward her.

Darla faced him wordlessly, her eyes narrowed.

"How did you think I did?" he asked her. "I was so nervous..."

Darla shook her head. "You..." her voice was thick and she had a lump in her throat.

"What's wrong?" Hans asked.

"You completely denied me," Darla said, hot tears springing to her eyes.

"Babe, I told you about that," Hans tried to remind her. "It's just the job."

"Don't call me babe," she said angrily. "You could have said 'no comment', you know."

"Darla," Hans said with a sigh. "Don't be like this."

"How am I supposed to be?" Darla asked. "Tell me, Hans."

"Not like this," Hans said. "I haven't seen you for a few days. Come on..."

"I came over here to see you," Darla stepped back. "I wanted to apologise... and I wanted to share in your big moment... and instead I feel like a total fool!"

There was a knock on the door and Katya stepped inside. "Hans, you were brilliant!"

Darla stared at the other woman. "We're having a private conversation here," she said coolly.

"You're coming to Tom's party, right?" Katya asked, ignoring Darla.

"I don't know," Hans said. "Katya... can you give me a few minutes, please?"

"I'll give you anything you want," Katya said winking at him before she left.

"So if you were dating her, you could admit that, right?" Darla snapped before she could stop herself.

"Darla, I signed a contract," Hans said. "Those people out there scripted the answers. The important thing...is that you and I know the truth."

Darla shook her head. "I would have supported you in anything, Hans. But don't let them say I don't exist. It's like saying WE don't exist."

"It's not like that at all!" Hans exclaimed. "Darla, it's just for a little while is all."

"You say that now," Darla said. "But after a little while is over... it'll keep going. Because I'm not famous. I'm not a fashion model."

He shook his head. "No, it won't. We just...we just need to play along for awhile. Then, you can start going to parties with me..."

"How generous," Darla said coldly. "But I just can't be your wife in public."

"Darla, that's not what I'm saying," Hans protested.

Darla stood up. "I didn't come here for this," she said, wiping at her eyes. "Have fun with your New Year."

"Don't be like this," Hans reached for her. "Come on. We don't have to go to that party. We can go back to the new flat. You haven't seen it yet."

"I won't be needing to," Darla pulled away from him. "I already told you I'm not living here."

"So, what?" Hans asked. "You're going to live in London and I'm going to live here? That's no way to have a marriage!"

"Well according to you, we don't have one," Darla returned, grabbing her bag.

"That's just great," Hans said sarcastically. "Go running back to your family like you always do!"

"You jerk," Darla wanted to slap him. "My family at least would never deny me."

"Well, apparently, they're all that you care about," Hans said. "You know, we're magical people, Darla. You could Apparate whenever you wanted to."

"So could you," she pointed out.

"It would be a little harder for me, don't you think?" Hans asked her.

"Care to explain how?" she asked coolly.

"I'm going to travel a lot," Hans pointed out.

"So why even bother with owning a place here?" Darla argued.

"Because we'll need to have a home," Hans said. "You're really going to love the townhouse. Come on, Darla."

Darla shook her head. "I'm going home to England, Hans."

There was a knock on the door. "Hans? The Times wants to do an interview," his agent said. "Oh, I didn't realise you had company. Who is this?"

"Nobody," Darla replied before Hans could. "I'm nobody."

"Nobody?" his agent raised an eyebrow.

"This is Darla, Freddy," Hans said. "You remember me telling you about my wife. Darla, this is Freddy, my American agent."

"So you're Darla," Freddy said, looking her over.

"Darla decided to surprise me for New Year's," Hans told him.

"Some surprise," Darla folded her arms and looked away.

Freddy looked at Hans. "We don't want to keep that reporter waiting, Hans."

"I'll be there in a minute," Hans told him.

"Nice to meet you, Darla," Freddy said before leaving.

"He's the one that wants to keep me a secret?" Darla asked.

Hans nodded.

"I don't get it," Darla said. "I thought he'd be angry..."

"He knows how much you mean to me," Hans said.

Her eyes were filled with confused tears. "Then why the secrecy? Why would people like you any less because you're married?"

"It's some marketing thing that they've bought into," Hans tried to explain. "Baby, I love you more than anything in this world."

"But I feel like you're ashamed of me," Darla finally allowed him to take her into his arms.

"That's not true," Hans said. "I could never be ashamed of you."

Darla looked up at him. "Then please... let's just try and work something out here."

Hans smiled down at her. "That's what I want."

"I love you," she whispered.

"I love you too," Hans said leaning in and kissing her.

She held onto him. "I don't want to lose you."

"That's never going to happen," Hans said.

Darla closed her eyes and buried her face in his shoulder.

"Sweetheart," Hans whispered, holding her tight.

"I don't know why I'm feeling like this," Darla said. "I want to be supportive, but I just don't understand."

"I know this hasn't been easy," Hans said. "But it's going to be worth it. This is everything I've always wanted."

"Let me share it with you," Darla said softly.

"You are sharing it with me," Hans said.

"And we'll figure out this living arrangement somehow," Darla replied.

"I'd better go," Hans said. "Before Freddy comes and drags me out."

"I'll wait for you here," Darla told him.

"That's my girl," Hans said giving her a kiss before he left.

Darla sat down, exhaling.

She yawned as she looked around the room. It was quite posh for a dressing room.

She decided to kip- after all, it was after three am for her. She pulled over one of the pillows and lay on the soft plush sofa.

Two hours later, she woke up with a start. At first, she didn't remember where she was. But, the events of that night came flooding back to her. Surely, Hans couldn't have been talking to that reporter for two hours. Darla stood up and stretched.

She fixed herself up and decided to go look for her husband. Darla no longer cared if anyone saw her, she wasn't about to deny who she was.

The area had cleared out save for a few members of the cleaning crew.

"Has anyone here seen Hans Feinbach?" she asked.

"Who's he, honey?" One of the women asked her.

Darla's eyebrows knit together. "He's the new model for Calvin Klein."

"Oh, him," the woman said. "He left with some leggy blonde woman and some other people."

"What?" Darla asked in disbelief.

"Yeah," the woman said. "They were leaving just as we were coming in."

"I can't believe this," Darla muttered, thanking the woman and heading back for the dressing room. He had just left her there!

There wasn't even a note or something to tell her what had happened. How could he have done this to her when he'd just told her how much he loved her and wanted to make this work?

Darla collected her things and decided to cut her losses and go home.

She arrived back in London nearly an hour later, feeling knackered and angry all at the same time. She didn't want to be alone in their house. She Flooed over to her mum and dad's house.

Not wanting to wake anyone up, Darla decided to explain her presence in the morning and headed upstairs for her old bedroom

She kicked off her shoes and crawled into her old twin bed. Thinking about what had happened brought tears to her eyes.

She didn't even know Hans anymore. The man she'd married would never have agreed to something like this. That man never would have treated her this way.

She buried her face in her pillow to muffle her sobs. She didn't know if she would ever be able to forgive him for this.

236. Chapter 236---Train to Hogwarts

Authors’ note: Not too many Hans fans in the house after the last chapter, eh? Well, we’re back to Saffron and all that drama plus the awkwardness of Zander/Ashley. We hope you enjoy!

Trying to keep her mind off what had happened on New Year's Eve between her and Andrew, Saffron kept herself busy. She offered to help Ashley pack her things back up to go back to school.

"I can't believe I'm already going back to school," Ashley commented. "It seems like I just got home."

"I know," Saffron said. "Holidays always seemed to go by really fast."

"I'm just really happy that you and Ethan were home to share it," Ashley said smiling at her aunt.

Saffron gave her niece a hug. "Me too, Ash."

"When do you start practising with your team?" Ashley asked while she folded some jumpers.

"In a few days," Saffron said, using her wand to levitate jeans and skirts to Ashley's trunk neatly. "I'm sort of nervous about it."

"You're going to be great," Ashley said loyally. "You're the best, Saffy."

"Thanks Ash," Saffron said gratefully.

"Especially with that new broom," Ashley said.

"I am looking forward to practising and playing in my first match," Saffron admitted. "It just all seems so strange now."

"Makes you wish that things didn't have to change," Ashley said her thoughts going to Zander and what had transpired on New Year's Eve.

Saffron nodded. "You're so right, Ash."

Ashley picked up the CD that Zander had made for her. There wasn't any sense taking it to school with her since Muggle devices didn't work there.

"I better give this to Mum to keep it safe for me," she said. "I don't trust Katie around it."

"I just saw her downstairs with your Gryffindor scarf," Saffron said.

"Ugh!" Ashley rolled her eyes. "I'll get that before I leave."

"I'll remind you," Saffron reassured her. "So...you never told me. How was your New Year's?"

Ashley blushed. "It was um..."

"Ash?" Saffron asked.

"You have to promise not to tell anyone," Ashley said softly.

Saffron nodded. "Your secret is safe with me. You know that."

"Thanks," Ashley was relieved. She'd been dying to talk about this with someone. "Well... Brittany told me that one of our classmates kissed her right before we got off the train for winter hols. And... When she went to sleep Zander and I sort of wondered what it would be like to kiss someone."

Saffron forgot momentarily about her own problems. "Ashley Beth Malfoy...did you and Zander snog?"

"No!" Ashley exclaimed. "Well not really. We just kissed... twice."

Saffron grinned. "And how was it?"

"Strange," Ashley confessed. "He's my best friend."

"He didn't force you into it, did he?" Saffron asked protectively.

"Not at all," Ashley said. "I agreed to it... I just didn't know how weird it would be."

"First kisses can be like that," Saffron tried to reassure her.

"I just don't know how to act around him now," Ashley replied.

"He's probably feeling the same way," Saffron said thoughtfully.

"You think?" Ashley asked uncertainly.

"Yeah," Saffron nodded. "You just need to act normally around him. Let him know that everything's okay."

"Act normal," Ashley recited. "I'll try..."

"Unless, of course you fancy him," Saffron said looking at her niece.

Ashley turned red and shook her head fiercely. "No."

Saffron hid a smile. She thought her niece might be protesting a bit too much. "Well, then just do like I said. Act as normal as you can."

"I will," Ashley replied.

"I wish I could tell you it all gets easier," Saffron said.

"It's okay Aunt Saffy," Ashley said. "I know boys never grow up."

Saffron laughed. "No, they don't."

"How was your New Year's Eve?" Ashley asked innocently.

The smile on Saffron's face fell. "It---it was fine."

"What did you do?" Ashley asked.

Saffron busied herself packing up some of Ashley's art supplies. "Just hung out with Lexie and everyone."

"Cool," Ashley replied. "Sounds like it was fun."

Saffron nodded. "Yeah, but I wasn't feeling too well so I came home early."

"That's what Grandma said," Ashley replied.

Saffron was eager to change the subject. "Just think...next year, you and your friends will be able to go Hogsmeade."

"I can't wait," Ashley replied. "It sucks that we can't go as second years."

"You'll love it," Saffron promised her.

"I think that's it," Ashley said, looking around. "I can't believe we spent the whole break here at the mansion."

"I'm really glad that you did," Saffron said. "I loved having all of us together."

"Me too," Ashley hugged her aunt as tightly as she could. "I'm so glad you're home safe."

"Me too," Saffron said softly.

"I'll write to you," Ashley promised.

"You had better," Saffron said. She used her wand to shrink Ashley's trunk. "Come on."

She followed Saffron downstairs, where she reclaimed her belongings from her sister.

"Next time you want to borrow my things, ask," Ashley told Katie.

"Whatever," Katie said. "You were leaving and I didn't think you'd care."

'It's the middle of winter and you didn't think I'd need my scarf and gloves?" Ashley asked.

Katie rolled her eyes. "I was just BORROWING them."

"I hope you do well the rest of the term," Ashley said to her sister.

"I'm fine," Katie said.

"Take care of Sophie," Ashley said.

"I always do," Katie twirled in place.

"Katherine Rose, you won't be seeing your sister until April," Nick reminded her. "Wouldn't you like to give her a hug?"

"I guess," Katie replied.

Ashley gave her a sister a quick hug. "I do love you, Katie."

"Love you too, Ash." Katie replied.

"That wasn't so hard, was it?" Nick asked his youngest daughter.

"No," Katie said sheepishly.

Ashley said goodbye to her grandparents and Saffron before getting in the car with her parents.

She hated to leave her family behind but she was excited about going back to school. She was also nervous about seeing Zander again.

"Katie talks a good game, but she will miss you," Julie told her.

"I know," Ashley replied. "I'll miss her too. And you guys and Sophie..."

"You'll still get to see your mum," Nick told her.

"I know that," Ashley said. "But it's not the same as being at home."

"And I'll smuggle some things from Greta in," Julie said with a grin. "To make it seem more like home."

Ashley giggled. "Sounds good to me."

They made it to Kings Cross in good time. Nick helped Ashley with her trunk and bags.

"Here's some money so you can get some sweets on the train," Julie said.

"Thanks Mum," Ashley hugged her. "I'll see you in a few days."

"I love you, baby," Julie said holding her tightly.

"Love you too," Ashley turned to her father.

"My girl," Nick said kissing her on the forehead before hugging her. "I'm going to miss you."

"I'll miss you too Daddy," Ashley said. "I'll write you all the time."

"I'll just go and make sure your things make it on the train," Nick said grinning at her.

"Thanks," Ashley said gratefully.

Ashley caught sight of Brittany holding hands with Evan. They were further down the platform and he stood back to let her on the train first.

Ashley smiled. She was glad Brittany had found a nice guy. She just hoped it wouldn't come between them all.

"Have a safe trip, baby," Julie said giving her daughter one last hug.

"I will," Ashley unconsciously looked around for Zander.

She didn't see him so she stepped onto the train. Walking down the narrow corridor, she looked in each compartment hoping to catch sight of her friends. She did find Brittany in a compartment, but she wasn't alone. She was with Evan and...Sam.

"Ash!" Brittany caught sight of her. "Come in!"

"Hiya, Ashley," Evan said politely.

"Hi Evan," she said shyly. "Sam..."

Sam didn't even acknowledge her presence.

"Where's Zander?" Ashley asked.

"In the loo," Brittany answered.

Sam snickered at this.

"What's wrong with being in the loo?" Ashley asked him.

"Don't get your knickers in a twist, Malfoy," Sam said rolling his eyes.

"Sam," Evan replied. "Can't you be nice?"

"Come and sit by me," Brittany said patting the space beside her.

Ashley smiled and sat down. "How's it going?"

"Fantastic," Brittany said grinning at her.

"What did you spend the rest of your break doing?" Ashley asked.

"Nothing much," Brittany said. "My mum and I went shopping. How about you?"

"I stayed around the mansion," Ashley said. "Spent a lot of time with my aunt."

"Your aunt is hot," Sam commented.

"Eww," Ashley frowned at him.

"She is," Sam shrugged.

"Knock it off, mate." Evan was embarrassed.

"Whatever," Sam said getting to his feet. "I'm out of here."

"Good riddance," Brittany said once Sam had gone. "I'm sorry Evan; you are way too nice for him."

"He's usually not this bad," Evan said in his friend's defence.

"I guess," Brittany said as Zander stepped into the compartment.

"Alright, Zander?" Evan asked.

"Yeah," Zander said. "Hey Ash..."

Ashley blushed. "Hi."

"How's it going?" he asked awkwardly.

"Good," Ashley replied, unable to look at him.

He sat down next to the window and watched as the scenery slid by.

"How---how were your holidays, Evan?" Ashley asked.

"Great," Evan replied. "I played video games. Have you guys heard of Ninja Death Warrior III?"

"Oh Merlin," Brittany moaned.

"Yeah," Zander said nodding. "I've made it to Level Six. How about you, mate?"

"Only five," Evan replied ruefully.

Brittany put her head in her hands. "Please tell me that you're not going to talk about that stupid game the entire ride to Hogwarts."

Ashley smiled. "We can talk about something else, Brit, while they talk about the game."

"You'd like it if you gave it a chance," Evan nudged Brittany.

Brittany turned red. "Well... maybe if YOU played it with me."

"I might just do that," Evan said grinning at her.

"While I beat the trousers off both of you," Zander said.

"Yeah, right," Brittany recalled. "As a matter of fact, I recall you losing on New Year's to---"

"To his father," Ashley interjected.

Evan laughed. "You lost to your dad?"

"Just the one time," Zander said looking at Ashley. He wondered why she'd covered for him just then.

Brittany shook her head. "It was pretty lame, Zander."

"Beginner's luck," Zander said.

Ashley leaned back on the seat and stared out the window. She remembered what her aunt had said about maybe Zander feeling as awkward as she did about the kiss.

"Ooh, I think I hear the sweets cart," Brittany said. "Evan, let's go and grab something!"

Before Ashley could stop her, Brittany had pulled Evan out of the compartment, leaving her and Zander by themselves.

For what seemed like an eternity, neither of them spoke.

"Thank you for that," Zander finally said. "You know, not telling Evan that you'd cleaned my clock at that game."

"Sure," Ashley replied. "I mean... you did ask me not to say anything so..."

"So..." Zander echoed.

"How was the rest of your break?" Ashley asked.

"Not bad," Zander replied, looking sideways at her. "Yours?"

"Good," Ashley said. "Spent more time with my aunt and uncle."

"That's great," Zander said absently kicking his foot against the other seat. He wracked his brain for something to say.

Ashley was also at a loss.

"I--I heard it might snow again," Zander finally stammered.

"What?" Ashley asked, her tone incredulous.

Zander looked out the window. It was in fact snowing. He knew he should just shut up but he couldn't stop himself. "Snow more. I heard it might snow more. You know, more than what we have now. Which is a lot. Look at that...snow."

"Zander..." Ashley shook her head. "This is so stupid."

Zander looked over at her. "Yeah."

"We're friends," Ashley said. "Best friends. And we shouldn't let us kissing make that into something else."

"Right," Zander said feeling relieved and disappointed at the same time.

"Are you okay with that?" she asked softly.

"Go back to how things were before?" Zander asked. "Like it never happened, right?"

"Well... yeah." Ashley replied.

"Okay," Zander agreed.

Ashley nodded. "All right then..."\

"You should have seen Brit this morning," Zander told her. "She spent two hours in the bathroom fixing her hair."

Ashley smiled. "Same old Brit."

"On the bright side, at least there's another bloke around to even things out," Zander said.

"Just promise me you won't let it take you away from your music," Ashley told him.

"I promise," Zander said.

"Just like I'll never let anything take me from my art," Ashley said fervently.

"Did you do any more sketches?" Zander asked.

"I did a few of Aunt Saffy up in the air," Ashley said. "And Uncle Ethan with my new cousin Kiera."

"Can I see?" Zander asked.

"Sure," Ashley reached for her sketchbook.

She handed it to him and he was amazed again at his friend's talent. "They're great, Ash."

"She has the coolest eyes," Ashley told him. "I captured that in this one."

Zander grinned. "They're still different colours, eh?"

"I think they always will be," Ashley nodded.

"That is pretty cool," Zander said.

"I can't wait to listen to Aunt Saffy's first match," Ashley said.

"I heard some of the sixth years talking about having a party in the common room so everyone can listen to it on the wireless," Zander told her.

"Cool," she said happily.

Zander turned the page of her sketchbook and saw a picture of Saffron on her new broom. "That broom is wicked!"

"It's totally cool," Ashley nodded. "She took me for a ride- you wouldn’t' believe how fast we went."

"Your mum must have been freaking out, eh?" Zander asked.

"Mum and Grandma," Ashley said wryly.

Zander was going to say something when he was hit by a box of candy.

"Brit!" Zander glared at her. "What was that for?"

"Just cause," Brittany answered.

"Are you sure you guys aren't brother and sister?" Evan asked sitting back down. "You sure fight like it."

"Gross, Evan," Brittany complained.

Evan opened up a Chocolate Frog and groaned when he saw the card. "No offence, Ash, but I'm sick of seeing your grandfather's face. I already have 40 of his cards."

"I'll take it," Ashley replied.

Evan handed it to her. "Here you go."

Ashley smiled. "I'll always take his cards."

"It's not that I don't like your grandpa," Evan reassured her quickly. "I do, but I have 40 of his cards already and when you're a collector like me..."

"It's a lot of them," Ashley nodded.

"I'd love to see your collection," Brittany said staring adoringly at Evan.

Evan smiled. "I have a few of them."

"You and Zander have something in common," Ashley said. "He has a lot, too."

"Yeah," Evan said. "I know. I remember what Sam did last year. You know, I'm sorry about that, Zander."

"What about?" Zander asked.

"He was a bit of an arse to you," Evan said.

"He's like that to everyone," Zander shrugged.

"Doesn't make it right," Evan said.

"He should be in Slytherin," Brittany replied.

"Ash could be in Ravenclaw with how smart she is," Zander said.

"I'm glad I'm in Gryffindor," Ashley turned to a new page in her sketchbook.

"Best house in Hogwarts," Evan said with a grin.

"That's so right," Brittany beamed.

Zander and Ashley exchanged an amused look.

"I can't wait until I get on the Quidditch team," Evan said.

"Me too," Zander said. "I'm going to practise every change I get."

"What position?" Evan asked.

"Keeper," Zander replied.

"I really want to be a Beater," Evan said.

"Wouldn't it be cool if both of you got on the team?" Brittany asked.

"Definitely," Evan grinned at Zander.

Brittany slid over and sat down beside Ashley while the two boys talked about Quidditch.

"Isn't he amazing?" Brittany whispered.

"He is pretty cute," Ashley agreed.

"He bought the sweets and he stuck up for us in front of that wanker Sam," Brittany said dreamily.

Ashley giggled. "Brit, you're in looooove."

Brittany blushed. "Maybe..."

"I think it's cool," Ashley assured her.

"It's all so...strange," Brittany admitted. "You know. Feeling that way about someone."

"I... I'm sure it is," Ashley looked down at her sketchbook.

"You sure you're okay?" Brittany asked her. "You've been a little quiet lately."

"I'm fine," Ashley said. "Just um... just happy my aunt and uncle are safe."

"Me too," Brittany said. "Now, we can get things back to normal. I'm happy to see you smiling again."

"Thanks Brit," Ashley gave her a hug.

"We're going to have a great rest of the year," Brittany told her. "You'll see."

"Definitely," Ashley agreed, sneaking a look at Zander.

He looked over at her just in time and smiled at her.

Ashley blushed but smiled back.

For now that awkwardness seemed to be gone and for that, the two of them were extremely grateful. But, Ashley had heard from her mother and her aunt that you never forget your first kiss.

*** *** ***

Saffron Potter could not remember many times in her life where she'd been nervous. Her confidence was one of her strongest qualities. But, she didn't have any confidence this morning. Truth be told, she was scared to death. It had been ages since she'd played a match. Even though today wasn't going to be an official match, it would be her first practise with Puddlemere.

She walked into the kitchen and saw her parents having breakfast. They were all alone in the house now since the holidays were officially over.

"Morning," she said softly.

"Morning, sweetheart," Hermione said. "Would you like some breakfast?"

"Maybe just some toast," Saffron said.

"Coming right up," Hermione told her.

Saffron set her bag and broom down by the door and sat down beside her father.

"Nervous, baby?" Harry asked her.

Saffron nodded. "Yeah."

"You'll do fine," Harry reassured her. "You've never failed at anything, Saffron."

"Neither have you," Saffron said looking down at the table. She wondered if he'd say the same thing if he knew what she'd done.

"That's where you get it from," Harry said, grinning.

"RJ rang earlier," Hermione told her. "He said he'd be by to pick you up."

Saffron nodded. "That's good."

She poured herself a glass of juice and wondered briefly if Andrew had told RJ about what had happened on New Year's.

She didn't have much time to wonder. RJ arrived a few moments later and came into the kitchen.

"Morning," RJ said happily. "Ooh, muffins."

Hermione laughed. "Help yourself, RJ."

"Thanks," RJ replied. "I haven't eaten this morning."

"You sound just like your father," Harry said. "He used to eat us out of house and home."

"Like father like son," RJ said with his mouth full.

"The resemblance is scary," Harry said shaking his head.

Saffron smiled a bit. "You'll be heavy on your broom."

"Very funny, Miss Potter," RJ said pouring himself a glass of juice.

"You think I'll be okay today?" she asked.

"You'll be brilliant," RJ reassured her.

"I hope so," Saffron said quietly.

"You'll look out for her, right?" Harry asked RJ.

"I promise," RJ nodded.

"Dad, I'm not five," Saffron said, but she appreciated his concern.

"I know," Harry replied. "But I just want to make sure you're looked out for."

"Thanks, Daddy," Saffron said leaning over and giving him a hug. "I love you."

Harry hugged her back tightly. "I love you too, baby."

"You promise you'll be careful?" Hermione asked. "You promise that you won't go up too high or fly too fast? You nearly gave me a heart attack the other day when you took Ashley up with you!"

"Mum..." Saffron said. "She was perfectly safe with me."

"Now who sounds like their father," Hermione said. She remembered Harry saying the same thing to her when he used to take Ethan and Saffron up to fly when they were children.

"I promise to be careful," Saffron reassured her mother.

"Thank you," Hermione said gratefully.

"Are you going into the office today?" Saffron asked.

Hermione nodded. "You're not the only one getting back to work."

"I'll come to the office when practise is over," Saffron replied.

"We can have lunch," Hermione suggested.

"Okay," Saffron agreed.

"Get your gear, Saf," RJ told her. "We'd better get going."

"Right," Saffron nodded. "I have it right here."

"Good luck, sweetheart," Harry told his daughter.

"Thanks Dad," Saffron said. "I'll see you guys later."

"You look like I'm taking you to the firing squad," RJ said. "It's not going to be that bad."

"I'm just so out of practise," Saffron admitted. "I don't want Puddlemere thinking they made a huge mistake by keeping my spot."

"Are you kidding?" RJ asked her. "Saf? Come on. You're fantastic. Everyone knows it."

"Thanks RJ," Saffron replied. "I'm glad you're on my side."

RJ grinned at her. "Of course. You're like the annoying baby sister I never had."

Saffron nudged his shoulder. "And you're the bratty big brother I do have."

RJ laughed. "It's going to be great having you to boss around."

"Whatever." Saffron shook her head.

They arrived at the Puddlemere stadium a few minutes later.

Saffron sucked in a nervous breath.

"You'll be fine," RJ whispered in her ear.

Saffron nodded. "Fine..." she repeated.

"Good morning, Miss Potter," a familiar voice said behind them.

Saffron turned and was grateful to see a familiar face in Frankie Barron.

"Frankie," Saffron said grinning.

"Hiya," Frankie gave Saffron a tight hug.

"It's good to see a friendly face," Saffron said.

"We're so glad you're here," Frankie told her. "We'll win every game the rest of this season with you around."

"What am I?" RJ asked with mock indignation. "Chopped liver?"

"Sure smell like it," Saffron said before she could stop herself.

RJ tugged at her ponytail. "You're pushing it, Saf."

Frankie laughed. "Come with me. I'll show you the locker room."

"I'll see you on the pitch," RJ said to Saffron.

"Bye," Saffron said, following Frankie.

"Okay," Frankie said leading her down the corridor. "These are all the main offices, of course..."

Saffron nodded. "Right."

"To your left there is where we have all our after match press conferences," Frankie showed her.

"Will I have to do one?" she asked anxiously.

"Not until you're ready," Frankie assured her.

"Thanks," Saffron said gratefully.

"To the right is the cafeteria," Frankie told her. "You can get anything you want in there at any time."

Saffron followed Frankie through the rest of the tour which ended at the girl's locker room. "Am I going to be the only one in there?"

"Yes," Frankie replied. "Since you are the only female on the team."

Saffron felt herself pale.

"I can keep you company," Frankie offered.

"That would be great," Saffron said. "I just... I don't really like being alone right now."

"No problem," Frankie said opening the locker room door and holding it open for her.

Saffron looked around at the locker room before shoving her bag into one of the lockers and changing into her practise uniform.

"Pretty nice, isn't it?" Frankie asked. "When we won the Cup last year, they redecorated the whole place."

Saffron nodded. "Really nice."

"Let's take you out on the pitch," Frankie said smiling at her.

Saffron nodded nervously. "Okay."

"You're going to be great," Frankie said, her heart going out to the younger girl.

"I hope so," Saffron said softly.

The rest of the team was already gathered in the middle of the pitch talking to the coach.

"Everyone," Frankie announced. "I'd like you all to meet Saffron Potter, our Seeker."

Saffron had forgotten about Daniel O'Neal but she could feel his eyes on her as she stood beside Frankie.

"Saffron," the coach smiled. "Welcome!"

"Hi," Saffron said liking the man instantly. She'd met him a couple of times before, but only in passing. "It's nice to meet you, sir."

"I'm Coach Reynolds," the man told her. "I've been with the team for three years now."

"You used to play with the Cannons," Saffron recalled. "You and Oliver Wood."

"Right," Coach Reynolds laughed. "A long time ago."

"It's an honour to meet you, sir," Saffron said.

Frankie squeezed her hand. "I'll see you later, Saffy."

Saffron nodded. "Thanks, Frankie."

"Okay then," Coach Reynolds said. "How about everyone go around and introduce yourselves to Saffron."

Daniel stepped forward first. "We've already met."

"Back off," RJ said holding out his arm to stop Daniel.

"It's okay RJ," Saffron said.

"It's great to see you again, Saffy," Daniel said winking at her.

Saffron nodded. "Um... you too."

"You know RJ, of course," Coach Reynolds said.

"Yes," Saffron replied.

"Mark Manning," one of the team's beaters came forward. "Good to meet you, Saffy."

"Scanlon," another member said. "I think we met?"

Saffron nodded. "When you were hazing RJ a couple of years ago."

Scanlon laughed. "Those were the days."

"Murphy," another man said giving her a wave.

All her team mates seemed quite nice and Saffron felt a bit more at ease as the introductions finished.

"We thought we'd open up with a scrimmage," Coach Reynolds suggested. "Saffron, you're on first team."

"Right, sir." Saffron nodded.

"We're not going to let Wimbourne beat us this time," Murphy said as he took to the sky.

Saffron paled. They were going to have to play Andrew's team first? Her first match would be against Andrew?

"Just play like you did at Hogwarts," RJ said, thinking she was nervous about the match.

Saffron nodded, swallowing the lump in her throat. "RJ?"

"Yes?" RJ replied.

"I need to talk to you after the match," Saffron said softly.

"Sure," RJ replied patting her on the shoulder.

"Thanks," she whispered.

RJ was about to mount his broom when he caught Daniel gazing at Saffron. "O'Neal. You stay away from her."

"Relax, Weasley," Daniel said with a smirk. "She's a big girl."

"And you're a big tool," RJ retorted. "Stay away from her. You got me?"

Daniel chortled. "I'm not scared of you."

"You'd better be," RJ glared at him. "She's been through enough. The last thing she needs is you hanging around her."

"Let her make her own decisions," Daniel told him coolly.

"Up in the air," Coach Reynolds barked at them. "Now!"

RJ glared at the other man as he raced up on his broom. O'Neal would be on the sidelines now that Saffron was back and RJ intended to make sure he only saw her from there.

Saffron mounted her broom and kicked off from the ground. She couldn't help the grin that broke across her face. Flying could always do this for her. It was the one thing that she trusted.

She closed her eyes a moment, enjoying the feel of the wind against her face.

This was what she'd always wanted to do; what she'd dreamt about. It was finally here. She was finally beginning her dream. Everything else was a mess, but this was one thing that she knew she could do well.

She took her position at the goalposts, determined not to let a single thing fly past her.

On the ground, the coach released the balls into the air. RJ looked over at Saffron and nodded encouragingly at her.

She nodded back, feeling better than she had since the whole fiasco on New Year's Eve.

O'Neal was leading the second string team against Saffron and RJ and the others. He smirked in RJ's direction before he flew over to where Saffron was hovering.

"Good luck today," he said, winking at her.

"Thanks," Saffron said wishing he'd leave her alone. "You too."

"That uniform looks good on you, you know." he flirted before flying to his side.

Saffron rolled her eyes. She'd have to have a word with him. That girl he'd met on New Year's Eve---that hadn't been her.

She looked up just in time to see the Quaffle heading right toward her. Springing into action, she used a tried and true Oliver Wood move, smacking it away with the end of her broom.

"Way to go, Saffy!" Coach Reynolds yelled from the ground.

Saffron appreciated the coach's encouragement as her eyes roamed the field for the Snitch.

The match was going well for the first string. They were leading by 80-40. Saffron forgot about everything except the match.

Her concentration was broken however, by Daniel flying near her.

She saw what he was flying towards and grinned. The Snitch.

She propelled herself forward, her body flat against the broom.

She wasn't about to let O'Neal get to it before her.

Saffron blew right by him, her hand outstretched, closing around the tiny winged ball.

"Get it, Saffy!" RJ screamed.

She held it up in the air triumphantly.

"Damn it!" O'Neal cursed.

Saffron ignored him as she flew down to the rest of her team mates.

"You were brilliant!" RJ exclaimed, giving her a hug. "I knew you would be!"

"Thanks RJ," Saffron hugged him back.

"Great job!" Murphy exclaimed, clapping her on the back.

"Thanks," Saffron said happily.

"That girl just flew the trousers off of you," Scanlon said to Daniel as he landed. "You realise that right?"

"Sod off," Daniel scowled at him.

"Just pointing it out," Scanlon laughed as he joined the others.

The rest of the practise went extremely well and Saffron had forgotten she had asked to talk to RJ until he approached her.

"So, Miss Potter," RJ said with a grin. "What is it you want to talk to me about?"

The smile fell from her face when she remembered. "Oh um... it's not... not important..."

"It didn't seem not important when you asked me earlier," RJ said. "Come on. We'll get some coffee in the cafeteria and you can tell me all about it."

"Okay," she relented, trying to think of a way to tell him she'd slept with his best friend.

"How---how was the rest of your party?" Saffron asked.

"Great," RJ replied.

Saffron nodded. "I'm sorry I came in the way I did."

"You don't have anything to apologise for," RJ reassured her. "You weren't really yourself that night."

"You can say that again," Saffron muttered. "I really messed up."

"It's okay," RJ said opening the door for her. "Lucky for you, Andrew showed up when he did."

"RJ," Saffron said with a sigh. "I just don't even know how to tell you this."

"Tell me about what?" RJ asked. "Look, you sit down. I'll get the coffee."

"Okay," she found a table near the corner of the room.

RJ came back a few moments later. "Here you go, Madame. Cappuccino."

"Thanks," Saffron took it between her hands.

RJ sat down across from her and grinned. "So, what's on your mind?"

Saffron sighed. "I don't even know where to begin."

"How about from the start?" RJ suggested.

Saffron felt tears well up in her eyes.

"Saffy?" RJ asked, concerned. "What's wrong? Are you still having nightmares?"

"I slept with Andrew," she whispered.

RJ hadn't expected that. "W-what?"

"On New Year's Eve," she confessed.

RJ stared wordlessly at her.

She cast her eyes down, ashamed. "I understand if you hate me."

"I-I don't hate you," RJ said quietly.

"I hated you for doing the exact same thing," Saffron said.

"You should have," RJ said shaking his head. "I hated myself for doing it. I lost the best thing in my life because I did that."

Saffron buried her face in her hands. "I wish I could take it back."

"Saffy," RJ said. "Frankly, I'm surprised it hasn't happened earlier. You and Andrew still love each other."

"He's with Natalia now," Saffron shook her head.

"This explains why he's been acting strange lately," RJ commented.

"What did he say?" she asked fearfully.

"Nothing to me, obviously," RJ replied. "Hey---maybe you and Andrew should talk about this."

Saffron shook her head vehemently. "No. I can't."

"You want me to say something to him?" RJ offered.

"I don't know," Saffron said. "I don't know what to do."

"What do you want to do?" RJ asked her.

"Get a time turner," Saffron said.

"It happened for a reason," RJ told her. "Ever think of that?"

"But Natalia--" Saffron began.

"He cares about her," RJ interjected. "But, he's never looked at her the way he's looked at you. You should have seen him when he found out that you were missing, Saffy."

"Mum told me he was helping out," Saffron said quietly.

"Try going to the Ministry every chance he had," RJ corrected her.

Saffron looked down at her cappuccino. "He didn't have to do that..."

"He wanted to do something," RJ told her. "We all did."

"I appreciate it," Saffron replied.

"You need to sort this out," RJ told her.

"I don't even know where to begin," Saffron said.

"You can't run away from it," RJ said. "It happened. You and Andrew have to deal with it. You're going to see each other on a regular basis. Hell, we play them next week!!"

Saffron rubbed her forehead. "It's so awkward..."

"I can imagine," RJ said. "But, you're going to have to talk to him."

"What do I even say?" Saffron asked.

"I don't know," RJ said thoughtfully. "Maybe the words will come to you when you see him."

"I guess," she sighed. "I told Lexie... and my mum knows too. And now you..."

RJ reached across the table for her hand and gave it a squeeze. "I'm here for you, Saffy. You know that."

"Thanks RJ," she said. "I'm glad you're my friend."

"Me too," RJ said grinning at her. "And I'm glad that you like me again. It's not fun being on your bad side."

"Yes well..." Saffron had to smile. "I did hold onto that a little too long."

"You think?" RJ laughed.

"Just a little," she shook her head.

"So how is everything else going?" RJ asked her.

"It was so great being up in the air, playing." Saffron admitted. "I was so nervous, thinking I was out of practise."

"You couldn't tell," RJ said. "You were amazing."

"I'm glad," she said fervently. "I've wanted to do this my entire life."

"You were born to do this," RJ said. "It kills me to say it, but you're the best I've ever seen on a broom."

She shook her head wryly. "Blokes..."

"Just don't tell anyone else I said it," RJ said grinning at her.

"I don't think anyone would believe me," she answered.

"Probably not," RJ said. He turned serious as he remembered the way O'Neal had been looking at Saffy earlier. "Promise me something?"

"What?" Saffron asked.

"Stay away from Daniel O'Neal," RJ told her.

Saffron shrugged. "I hardly know the bloke. And the person he met on New Year's Eve wasn't me."

"Good," RJ said with a relieved sigh. "He's bad news, Saffy."

"I don't know if I really want to date anyone right now, besides." Saffron said quietly.

"The coach will love to hear that," RJ said. "He thinks we should eat, drink, live and breathe Quidditch."

"That's probably the best thing I need at the moment," Saffron finished her cappuccino.

"Uncle Harry will probably like that too," RJ said.

Saffron nodded. "I have to get going. I told mum I'd stop by her office when practise was over."

"Okay," RJ said. "You sure you don't want me to say anything to Andrew?"

Saffron shook her head. "No... no. That's okay."

"Okay then," RJ said getting up. "I'll see you later, Saf. Don't worry. You and Andrew will figure this out."

"We'll see," Saffron said. "Thanks for hearing me out."

"Always," RJ said giving her a hug. "I love you, you brat."

Saffron hugged him back. "Love you too, RJ."

She was on her way out of the stadium when her mobile phone began to ring. "Hello?"

"Saf? it's me...Andrew."

237. Chapter 237

Authors’ note; We hope this chapter makes up for the cliffie from the last chapter. We’re not evil, we promise. Enjoy!

"Saf? it's me...Andrew."

She stopped still. "Andrew?"

"Yeah," he said. "I---I wanted to see how your first practise went."

"Fine," she said softly.

He was silent for a long time.

"I meant to call earlier," Andrew finally said. "I wanted to see how you were."

"You don't have to call," Saffron said, hating how horrible her words sounded.

"I wanted to see how you were doing," Andrew said. "I was worried. After New Year's...."

"I don't want to talk about that," she said hastily.

"Don't you think we should?" Andrew asked.

"There's nothing to say," Saffron replied. "You're with Natalia, and it was a big mistake."

"It...it didn't feel like a mistake," Andrew said quietly.

She closed her eyes, fighting away tears.

"Where are you right now?" Andrew asked. "I could come to you."

"No," Saffron said quickly. "I um... I'm meeting my mum at the Ministry."

"Afterwards then?" Andrew asked. "Saffy? Please."

"There's nothing to say about this, Andrew." Saffron said, tears falling now.

"I want to see you," Andrew said. "Saffy, I still love you."

"It's too late," she whispered.

"Don't say that," Andrew said. "You still love me, too. I know you do."

"I was pissed that night," she said lamely.

"You took a sobering potion," Andrew said. "Look, I'm near the Ministry now. I'll meet you there."

"No," Saffron said. "I don't know how long I'll be with my mum."

"Why are you doing this?" Andrew asked her.

"Because it's over," Saffron wiped her eyes.

"Saffy, it's not over," Andrew pleaded. "I'm going to tell Natalia what happened. It's only fair."

"Don't ruin your relationship over one mistake," Saffron told him. "She's a nice girl."

"It wasn't a mistake!" Andrew exclaimed. "It happened and we can't pretend that it didn't!"

"Yes we can," she argued.

"Look," Andrew said. "You go to the Ministry to see your Mum and ring me when you're finished. We can come over here and talk."

"I told you, there's nothing to talk about," Saffron replied. "Andrew... forget about me. I'm no good for you."

"What?" Andrew asked taken aback. "Saffy, you're the best thing that ever happened to me!"

"No I'm not," she said, tears stinging her eyes again.

"Yes you are," Andrew said. "I hate this. Talking to you on the phone. I need to see you. Please."

Saffron couldn't bring herself to say no again. "Okay," she agreed softly.

"I'll be at the flat all day," Andrew said. "Come by when you're finished with your mum.”

"I just don't know about everything right now Andrew," she told him. "Just... don't expect too much from me."

"I won't," Andrew promised. "It's enough for me that I can see you."

"I'll ring you later," she said.

"Okay," Andrew said softly.

Saffron turned off her phone and wondered what she had just gotten herself into.

She hurried over to the Ministry, eager to see her mother.

She was admitted right in and headed for her mother's office.

Her mother was at her desk, working on a speech.

Saffron knocked on the door. "Hi mum."

"Hi, sweetheart," Hermione said looking up with a smile. "How was your first day?"

"Good," Saffron said. "I won the scrimmage match for my team."

"Congratulations!" Hermione exclaimed. "That's great!"

Saffron nodded and sat down.

"Samuel ordered something for us from the cafeteria," Hermione told her. "I didn't think you'd want to deal with the crowds."

"Thanks," Saffron said gratefully. "That was really nice of him."

"So how were your team-mates?" Hermione asked curiously. "And did you see Frankie?"

"Yeah she took me around," Saffron nodded. "And my team mates are all really nice.

"That's lovely," Hermione said. She noticed that her daughter's eyes were red. "Baby, have you been crying?"

Saffron looked down. "Andrew rang me."

"Ah," Hermione said. "What did he say?"

"He wants to see me," Saffron told her. "To talk about... what happened."

Hermione nodded. "I think that's a good idea."

"I don't know what to say to him," Saffron confessed.

"Be honest with him," Hermione told her. "Tell him what's in your heart."

"That's the thing," Saffron said. "I don't know."

"When you see him, maybe it will come to you," Hermione said softly.

"I'm scared to see him," she bit her lower lip.

"Why?" Hermione asked gently.

"Because I've already caused enough trouble for him and Natalia," Saffron said. "And... I don't feel like I deserve someone like Andrew."

Hermione walked around her desk and knelt before her daughter. "Sweetheart, why would you say something like that?"

"Because of what happened to Sean," Saffron whispered. "He died because of me."

"Baby, that isn't true," Hermione said softly.

"Yes it is," Saffron sobbed.

"No, it's not," Hermione said putting her arms around her. "Baby, you deserve to be happy. You can't keep blaming yourself for this. Sean wouldn't want you to live your life that way."

Saffron didn't answer. She clung to her mother and cried.

"My sweet girl," Hermione said holding her daughter.

"Everything's just such a mess," Saffron bawled.

"I know," Hermione said. "But you are loved so much, baby. Your father and me, Julie, and Ethan. We're all here for you."

"I know," she sniffled.

"It's going to be okay," Hermione told her.

"Doesn't feel like it," Saffron said quietly.

"It will," Hermione said handing her a tissue.

"Thanks," she blotted at her eyes.

"Don't let this eat away at you," Hermione told her. "You are just beginning your life, baby."

"I'll try," Saffron said. "Some days it's just so hard."

"It will get easier," Hermione said. "I was the same way about your Gran."

"I miss her," Saffron replied.

"I do too," Hermione said softly. "I think about her every day."

Saffron wiped at her eyes again. "I hate that I wasn't there when... when she died."

"She was so proud of you," Hermione said. "And she loved you so much."

Saffron hugged her mother again.

"I hate seeing you so upset," Hermione said, patting her daughter's back.

"This whole thing with Andrew is getting me the most," Saffron said.

"You still love him," Hermione said, not bothering to phrase it in a question. She knew her daughter's heart.

Saffron nodded. "But I just don't deserve him."

"Yes, you do," Hermione told her. "Don't talk about yourself like that."

Saffron shook her head. "I messed up with him back when we broke up."

"But the love is still there," Hermione commented. "If you want to be with him, you could try and start over."

"I don't know," Saffron said doubtfully.

Samuel came in with their lunch and Saffron wiped at her eyes.

"It's good to see you, Saffy," Samuel said smiling at her.

"Hi Sam," Saffron managed a tiny smile. "Nice to see you too."

"Thank you, Sam," Hermione said. "I don't want to be disturbed. Could you block all my fire calls for the next half hour?"

"Certainly," Samuel said, closing the door behind him.

"All your favourites," Hermione said smiling reassuringly at her daughter.

"Looks good," Saffron nodded.

"You up for eating?" Hermione asked her.

"I'm hungry," Saffron nodded again.

Hermione and Saffron sat down at the table.

"I'm glad that you stopped by," Hermione said. "I was in the middle of a terrible case of writer's block for my speech."

"What's the speech for?" Saffron asked.

"The monthly meeting for the Most Extraordinary Society of Potioneers," Hermione replied.

"What do you do there?" she asked.

"Listen to a bunch of blokes like Severus Snape go on and on about potions," Hermione replied.

Saffron wrinkled her nose. "How boring."

"It is," Hermione confided.

"Can't you pass it to someone else?" she asked.

"I've done that five out of the last six meetings," Hermione replied. "So I'm stuck with it this time."

"Hopefully it'll go by fast," Saffron leaned against her mother.

"Merlin, I sure hope so," Hermione said with a laugh.

Saffron smiled. Being with her mother never failed to make her feel better.

"I could pull a few strings if you wanted to go," Hermione teased.

"I'll pass," Saffron made a face.

"You sure?" Hermione asked. "I bet Severus Snape would looooooooooooove to see you again."

Saffron shuddered. "So not what I need right now."

"If you're sure," Hermione laughed.

"I can't believe he likes Ashley," Saffron said.

"I think that has a lot to do with the fact that her last name is Malfoy and not Potter," Hermione commented.

"Could be," Saffron said. "Ash is so sweet."

"She is," Hermione agreed. "And so talented."

"I wish I could draw like that," Saffron replied.

"Me too," Hermione said. "She certainly didn't get her artistic ability from my side of the family."

"Probably from Nick," Saffron said.

"Probably," Hermione replied pushing her plate away. "Feeling better?"

Saffron nodded. "Thanks to you."

"I love you, baby," Hermione said giving her a hug. "And I want you to be happy."

"I'm trying," Saffron said.

"Good luck with Andrew," Hermione said.

Saffron nodded. "I'll need it."

"I'll be home later," Hermione promised. "We can talk more."

"Okay," Saffron hugged her. "Thanks again."

"I love you, baby," Hermione said. "You can always talk to me."

"I know," Saffron said. "I'm glad for that."

Saffron hugged her mother one last time before she headed out of the office. She didn't think going to see Andrew was the best decision, but she also knew that they would have to talk.

She arrived at his flat without calling first and knocked softly.

He answered the door and Saffron felt her heart melt at the sight of him. He was wearing a navy blue jumper and jeans. "Hey," he said quietly.

"Hi..." she said over the lump in her throat.

He stood back so she could come inside. "How was your lunch?"

"Good," she said, folding her arms around herself.

"Do you want anything to drink?" Andrew offered.

"No thanks," she said.

"Why don't we sit down?" Andrew asked.

"Okay," she said, following him to the sitting room.

Andrew sat down beside her on the sofa. "I'm so glad you came."

Saffron moved over a bit. "Well... "

"When I found out that you were missing," Andrew said. "I felt like ...I don't know what it felt like, really. I just wanted to bring you home and make sure you were safe."

"RJ and my parents told me you helped out," Saffron nodded.

Andrew nodded. "I felt helpless most of the time."

"I did too," she said quietly.

"I had a lot of time to think about what happened between us," Andrew said. "The mistakes we both made..."

"I made," Saffron corrected.

"We BOTH made," Andrew countered. "I never should have let you go."

"But then you might have been the one who..." Saffron's voice trailed off.

"I would have done what he did," Andrew said looking at her. "I would have done anything to protect you."

Tears filled her eyes but she looked away.

"I love you," Andrew whispered.

Saffron wanted to tell him the same, but the lump in her throat swelled.

"The other night...the situation wasn't ideal," Andrew admitted. "But, it happened because we love each other and we both wanted it to happen. You know that I'm right."

"I don't know anything right now," Saffron said.

"We can figure it out together," Andrew said reaching for her hand.

She allowed him to weave their fingers together. "What about... what about Natalia?"

"I'll tell her," Andrew replied. "She knows something's up."

"She loves you," Saffron said quietly.

"And I care about her," Andrew said. "But I haven't been very fair to her because you've had my heart. You've had it from the start, Saffy."

"But--" she began.

Andrew leaned forward and rested his forehead on hers. "I love you."

Saffron closed her eyes, her lips trembling.

"I love you," Andrew said again. "More than anything in this world."

"Andrew," she whispered.

"Yes?" Andrew asked.

"I..." she began. "I... love you too."

Andrew smiled at her before pressing his lips to hers.

Just like before, she felt her worries melting away.

Andrew wrapped his arms around her. He had no doubt that this was where he wanted to be and this was the girl he wanted.

She let out a tiny whimper, her arms going around his neck.

"I missed you," Andrew whispered.

"I missed you too," she said, her eyes still closed.

Andrew ran his hands through her hair. "I just want to hold you and never let go."

Saffron nodded, her lips brushing against his. "I don't want you to let me go."

Andrew deepened their kiss. He couldn't believe they were actually here----together again.

Saffron pushed him back onto the sofa, running her hands over his broad chest and shoulders.

Andrew smiled up at her. "You're so beautiful."

"Thanks," she said breathlessly, running her fingers through his dark hair.

Andrew kissed her again.

His hands ran up her back under her jumper, his skin warm against hers.

"You feel so good," Andrew said softly.

"So do you," Saffron answered breathlessly.

He'd missed her so much these past few months. He wanted nothing more than to be close with her again. But, he also knew that he couldn't do this with her again until he'd spoken with Natalia. "Saffy---"

"Hmm?" she asked softly.

"I think we should stop," Andrew managed to say. "I think we should wait until after I've spoken to Natalia."

"Oh..." Saffron pushed herself off him.

"I don't want there to be any guilt or doubts the next time we do this," Andrew said. "I owe that to her and to you."

Saffron nodded. "I understand."

Andrew smiled and held out his arms. "Come here."

She nestled herself against him, closing her eyes. "What is it about you?" she asked.

"What about me?" Andrew asked.

"I feel safe with you," Saffron said. "And... everything that's going on in my life just doesn't matter as much."

"I want you to feel safe with me," Andrew said softly, kissing the top of her head.

"I just don't want to hurt anyone else," Saffron replied.

"That's just one of the reasons I love you so much," Andrew said. "You have such a good heart, Saffy."

She buried her face in his shoulder.

"I never thought I'd be with you like this again," Andrew said. "But I promise you I'll never do anything to screw it up again."

"You really want to be with me?" Saffron asked.

"More than anything," Andrew replied.

"Even though I was so awful?" Saffron looked away.

Andrew tilted her chin so she'd look at him. "I love you. What happened is in the past. We can't change that."

Saffron shook her head.

"We can start over and try to avoid making those same mistakes," Andrew said. "Don't you want that?"

Saffron looked at him thoughtfully for a few moments. "Yes..." she said softly.

"So," Andrew smiled at her. "We're stuck with each other."

"I could think of worse things," Saffron answered.

Andrew tickled her side.

She laughed. "Stop!"

"Stop what?" Andrew asked, tickling her again. "What am I doing?"

Saffron laughed harder. "Andrew!"

"I've missed that too," Andrew said. "The sound of your laughter."

"Me too," Saffron said.

"It's going to take some time," Andrew said softly. "To get back to where you were before, but you'll get there."

"Just as long as you'll help me," Saffron answered.

"Of course," Andrew replied. "Every step of the way."

Saffron smiled. "Thank you," she said quietly.

"Did I tell you how much I missed you?" Andrew asked, holding her close.

"You might have," Saffron closed her eyes.

Andrew smiled. "I'm going to show you how much soon."

Saffron laid her head down on his shoulder, her eyes still closed. "I love you."

"I love you too," Andrew said. "I always have and I always will."

Tears sprang to her eyes again, but now for a different reason.

"I didn't mean to make you cry again," Andrew said.

"It's okay," she said, wiping her eyes. "They're not bad tears."

"Happy tears?" Andrew asked with a grin.

"Yeah," Saffron said. "Happy tears."

"I can take those," Andrew said kissing the top of her head.

"You know... we have a match against each other next week," Saffron said.

"Oh, you mean the match where my team's going to beat Puddlemere?" Andrew asked teasingly.

"Not bloody likely," Saffron answered.

"We're in first place," Andrew countered.

"Only because I haven't been playing yet," Saffron replied.

"Are you talking trash, Miss Potter?" Andrew asked.

"Truth," Saffron corrected.

"Truth?" Andrew asked. "I'll have you know that I was named Player of the Week twice since the season has started."

"Again, only because I just started." Saffron returned.

"You might be so captivated by my good looks and charm that you won't have your mind on the Snitch," Andrew said loftily.

"I'll manage," Saffron replied.

"What if I were to fly up right next to you," Andrew said leaning in and nuzzling her neck. "And I did this..."

"That would be very unfair," Saffron said softly.

"You do what you have to do to win," Andrew said against her skin.

"If that's the case, you won't get anywhere near me," Saffron said.

"Oh yeah?" Andrew asked. "I am fast, you know. "

"And I'm faster," Saffron said.

Andrew sighed. "That's probably true..."

"Definitely true," Saffron answered.

"You certainly haven't lost your modesty," Andrew joked.

"It's just been in hiding for awhile," Saffron told him.

"I missed it too," Andrew said with a grin.

"I wonder what RJ will say about this," Saffron said.

"You and me?" Andrew asked.

"Yeah," she nodded.

"I think he'll be happy for us," Andrew said thoughtfully.

"I hope so," Saffron replied. "I mean... what does he think of Natalia?"

"He likes her," Andrew said. "And she and Audrey are really close."

"That's going to make things awkward." Saffron said ruefully.

"Maybe for a little while," Andrew said reassuring her. "But, you know how RJ feels about you and you and Aud have had problems in the past, but you can get to know each other better."

"I hope so," Saffron said. "I like her."

"She likes you too," Andrew said. "She knows how much you mean to me and to RJ."

"That's good," Saffron leaned against him.

"Everything will be okay," Andrew said putting his arms around her again.

She couldn't believe they were back together like this. Andrew had always been the guy she loved.

"Did O'Neal give you any trouble today?" Andrew asked.

Saffron shook her head. "I didn't really talk to him."

"Good," Andrew said. "He's bad news."

"So I've heard," Saffron replied.

"So," Andrew said. "How are you doing? How are you really doing?"

"Some days okay, others... not so much." Saffron shrugged. "The nightmares haven't been as bad lately."

"I'm so sorry you've had to go through this," Andrew said softly.

"It's not your fault," she answered.

"It's not yours either," Andrew told her.

"Sometimes I have to keep telling myself that," Saffron looked over at him.

"I'll keep telling you," Andrew said touching her cheek. "You didn't do anything wrong, Saffy."

Saffron nodded.

The front door opened and they heard the sound of someone whistling.

"RJ," Andrew whispered.

Saffron pushed herself off of Andrew as RJ appeared in the doorway.

"Alright, RJ?" Andrew asked.

"Yeah..." RJ stared at them.

"I, um, took your advice," Saffron said quietly.

"I can see that," RJ said.

"We cleared a lot of things up," Andrew said reaching for Saffron's hand. "We're...together again."

RJ's eyebrows lifted in surprise. "Really?"

"I'm going to talk to Natalia tonight," Andrew said.

"I'm happy for you both, if this is what you want," RJ sat down.

"It is," Saffron said softly.

"Good," RJ smiled at her.

"I kind of told him what happened," Saffron said to Andrew. "This morning after practise."

"Oh," Andrew replied.

"You're not mad, are you?" Saffron asked.

"No," Andrew said truthfully.

Saffron leaned against him.

"You know," RJ said leaning back in his chair. "I knew you'd get back together eventually and I'm not even a Seer like Maddie."

"Must run in the family a bit," Andrew quipped.

"Can you see us beating Wimbourne next week?" Saffron asked. "Hmm?"

"Without a doubt," RJ said. "You're toast, Kirke."

"Player of the week," Andrew reminded them. "Player. Of. The. Week."

"W-E-A-K?" RJ asked. "Is that what you mean?"

Saffron had to laugh at the look on Andrew's face.

Andrew threw a pillow at RJ. "Very funny. You missed your calling as a comic, mate."

"That runs in the family too," RJ tossed it back.

"Watch it!" Saffron squealed. "You nearly hit me, RJ!"

"What a crime that would be," he teased.

Saffron laughed. "You're such a goofball!"

"Just to make you laugh, Saf," RJ said in a thickened accent.

"He's a poet," Saffron rolled her eyes. She hadn't felt this good in quite some time. It felt like how it used to be when they'd be together.

"One of my many talents," RJ boasted.

"I wouldn't quit your day job," Saffron laughed.

"Thanks," RJ replied sarcastically.

"I should probably go and see Natalia," Andrew said quietly.

"I should get home too," Saffron said.

"I'll come by and see you afterwards," Andrew promised.

"Okay," Saffron said. "Um.... good luck..."

"I'm sensing some mushy stuff coming," RJ said getting to his feet. "That's my cue to leave the room..."

"Whatever, RJ." Saffron said.

Andrew rolled his eyes at his friend's retreating back.

"I love you," he said offering Saffron his hand.

"I love you too," she said softly.

Andrew leaned in and kissed her.

Saffron closed her eyes, leaning into him.

They kissed for a long time. Andrew reluctantly let her go. "I'll see you soon."

"Just come by whenever you're up for it," Saffron told him.

"I will," Andrew promised.

He had no idea how he was going to break things off with Natalia. She didn't deserve what he was about to do to her.

He thought long and hard about what he would say to her and came up blank each time. No matter what he said, he'd come out looking like a heel.

Andrew supposed there really wasn't any way around him looking bad. He just hoped she would be able to forgive him someday.

He used the Floo and arrived at her flat. "Talia?"

She came out of the kitchen, wiping her hands on her jeans. "Hey!" she said, a welcoming smile on her face.

"Hey," Andrew said forcing a smile. "I know I'm a little early..."

Natalia came forward to hug him. "That's okay."

Andrew stepped back. "I--I wanted to talk to you about something actually."

"Okay," Natalia looked at him, confused.

"You---you want to sit down?" Andrew asked.

"I suppose," Natalia looked at him strangely. "What's going on?"

"I don't know where to begin," Andrew said avoiding her gaze.

"You're scaring me," Natalia said softly.

"I don't want to scare you," Andrew said. "The truth is...the truth is that I haven't been honest or fair to you."

"I don't understand," Natalia shook her head.

"I care about you," Andrew said quietly. "I care about you so much."

Natalia nodded. "I... care about you. Actually... Andrew... I love you."

"You deserve so much better than me," Andrew said softly. "Someone who can love you like you deserve to be loved."

"You're confusing me, Andrew." Natalia said. "Did something happen today?"

Andrew sighed. The last thing he wanted to do was hurt her. "I'm...I'm still in love with Saffy."

Natalia stared at him, feeling her heart drop right down to her feet.

"I'm so sorry," Andrew said quietly. "I'm so very sorry, Talia."

"How... how did this happen?" She asked, her voice quivering.

He didn't want to tell her about New Year's Eve. "She and I've been talking since she's been back. We both realised that we still had feelings for each other."

Natalia looked away from him.

"I never wanted to hurt you," Andrew said.

"I think it's a little too late for that," she muttered, fighting back tears.

"Talia," Andrew said. "Please look at me."

"I can't," she said.

He put his hand on her shoulder. "You are an amazing girl and you're going to find someone else who will love you and you'll forget all about me."

"I don't want anyone else, Andrew." she squeezed her eyes shut.

Andrew hated himself at that moment.

"I know this is even more difficult because we're team-mates," he said. "But, I hope that one day, you'll forgive me. I still want to be your friend."

"That isn't possible..." she shook her head. "Not now... and not anytime soon."

"I understand," Andrew said quietly.

"Please go," Natalia was unable to hold her tears back any longer.

Andrew nodded. "I'm sorry, Natalia."

"Go," she said, rushing from the room.

Andrew thought briefly about going after her, but he didn't want to make things worse.

With a sigh, he Apparated from her flat back to his own.

"Andrew, is that you?" RJ called out from the kitchen.

"Yeah," Andrew muttered.

"How'd it go?" RJ asked when his friend appeared in the kitchen. "You don't have a black eye..."

"She hates me," Andrew said glumly.

"Well, what did you expect?" RJ asked. "You cheated on her."

"I didn't tell her about that," Andrew said. "I couldn't..."

"Probably why you don't have a black eye and you're still breathing," RJ commented.

"I know this was the right thing to do but I feel like an arse," Andrew said.

RJ nodded. "I've been in your shoes before. It's not a good feeling."

"No it's not," Andrew said quietly.

"With time, maybe you can be friends," RJ said. "I mean, look at me and Lexie."

"Maybe," Andrew shrugged.

'So you and Saf?" RJ asked, changing the subject.

He nodded. "I think you were right about us."

"I'm always right," RJ said grabbing a biscuit from the plate on the table.

"Things feel so crazy right now," Andrew said,

"You're not having second thoughts, are you?" RJ asked him.

"About Saffron?" Andrew asked. "Never."

"Good," RJ said. "Because, I'd hate to have to give you a black eye."

Andrew had to smile. "Don't worry."

"She's like a sister to me," RJ said. "And I don't want to see her hurt. She's been through enough."

"I'm not leaving her again," Andrew swore. "Not ever."

RJ grinned. "Well, then. What are you waiting for?"

"I don't know," Andrew said. "But I'll see you later."

"Bye," RJ said shaking his head.

Andrew still felt guilty over Natalia, but knew he'd made the right decision. He and Saffron belonged together- this time forever.

238. Chapter 238

Authors’ note: Quite a response to the last chapter! Thank you guys so much! We know it’s about time that Andrew/Saffy were together again. And a lot of you feel bad for Natalia. We feel bad for her too. You haven’t seen the last of her. We promise. We hope you enjoy the chapter!

At the Minister's mansion, Saffron was sitting with Puddles on the sofa.

"I just can't believe it, Pud." Saffron said. "Me and Andrew..."

Puddles cuddled up beside her and Saffron rubbed behind his ears. "For the first time, it seems like things might actually be...normal."

Puddles licked her hand, his tail wagging.

The fireplace roared to life and Saffron smiled when she saw who it was. "How'd it go?"

"Don't ask," Andrew shook his head.

"Sorry," Saffron said quietly. "I can't imagine what that was like."

"Not good," Andrew sat down next to her. "But I had to do it."

Saffron reached for his hand. "I was just sitting here thinking how surreal this all seemed."

He squeezed her fingers. "Sure is."

"We're really here," Saffron said. "After all this time."

"I'm not letting you go this time." Andrew told her.

"I--I learned something when I was away," Saffron said softly. "I lost a lot of time. I missed out on so much. But, if anything good came out of that, I learned that I don't want to take anything or anyone for granted anymore."

"That's a good thing," Andrew told her.

"A very good thing," Saffron said smiling at him.

He leaned in and gave her a kiss.

Saffron closed her eyes and kissed him back.

She still felt guilt about Sean and about what Natalia must be going through, but she wasn't about to give up Andrew again.

"What are you thinking?" he asked her.

"Whether or not it's right to feel happy when someone else is in pain," Saffron admitted.

"We have to do what we have to do," Andrew said. "I don't like making Natalia upset but..."

"It's not fair to lie to her," Saffron finished.

"She's too good a person for that," Andrew replied.

"I think about how nice she was to me on New Year's," Saffron said shaking her head. "And she had no idea..."

"I know," Andrew replied, pushing his hair back.

Saffron hugged him, resting her head on his shoulder. "Are we horrible people?"

"No," Andrew said. "We're just in love."

Saffron smiled. "That we are."

"And together, the way we always should be." Andrew continued.

Puddles barked his approval at that, causing them both to laugh.

"Glad he's cool with it," Andrew said with a grin.

Saffron smiled. "He's been looking out for me."

"That's a good boy, Puddles," Andrew reached down to scratch behind the dog's ear.

"He missed you too," Saffron said happily.

Andrew gave her a kiss. "What do you think your parents will say?"

"My dad has no idea about what happened," Saffron said thoughtfully. "But he knows how I've always felt about you. And my mum...well, when RJ brought me home that night, she could tell something was wrong. I told her."

"What did she say?" Andrew asked.

"She was disappointed in me," Saffron said softly. "In both of us for doing what we did when we did... "

"Oh," Andrew said quietly.

"But, she was also the person who told me that I should talk to you," Saffron said. "I wasn't so sure it was a great idea."

"I am," Andrew felt better. He didn't want her parents hating him.

"They like you," Saffron said squeezing his hand. "And they know that you make me happy."

"You make ME happy," Andrew nuzzled her ear.

Saffron giggled. "That tickles."

"I know," he said softly.

Saffron closed her eyes. "Do it again..."

"This?" he asked.

"Mmmhmm," Saffron murmured.

"Whenever you want it," he said huskily.

"Andrew," Saffron whispered.

"Anything..." Andrew said again.

"Never leave me again," Saffron said opening her eyes and looking into his. "Promise?"

"I promise," Andrew said.

Saffron smiled before brushing her lips against his. "I dreamt about you, you know? It got me through those nights when I was sure that I wouldn't make it. I'd think about you and wish that you were there with your arms around me."

"I would have done anything to get you back," he told her.

"I know," Saffron said softly.

Andrew kissed her.

Saffron looped her arms around his neck and kissed him back.

"It's going to be harder for us to stop now," Andrew told her.

"I know," Saffron grinned.

"If you want to... that is." he said.

"I want that more than anything," Saffron replied.

"Now?" he asked, his voice low.

Saffron didn't want to take a chance on her parents walking in on them. "Do you want to go up to my room?" Saffron asked, feeling a little shy.

"Sure," he said.

Saffron stood up and took his hand. "Okay..."

Andrew wove their fingers together as she led him upstairs.

"You're quite brave, you know," Saffron teased. "Going upstairs with Harry Potter's baby girl..."

"We'll be extra quiet," Andrew told her.

Saffron laughed. "I promise I won't tell him."

"Me too," Andrew quipped.

Saffron opened her bedroom door and stepped inside.

He followed her in and she locked the door behind them.

She came up behind him and put her arms around his waist.

Things this time around would be much better, Andrew thought.

There were no other people involved and they were finally on the same page.

"I feel like this is the first time," Saffron admitted. "Does that make sense?"

"Completely," Andrew agreed. "No regrets this time."

"None," Saffron smiled.

Andrew picked her up and carefully laid her on the bed, kissing her all the while.

Saffron clutched his shoulders, wanting to be as close to him as possible.

He peeled back her jumper, kissing the skin he was baring.

"Andrew," Saffron whispered, closing her eyes.

"I love you Saffy," he said huskily. "I'm never letting you go again."

"That's good," Saffron said tugging up on his jumper. "Because I'm not going anywhere."

He raised his arms so she could pull the jumper off and toss it to the floor.

"When did you get that?" Saffron asked touching the bruise on his shoulder.

"Bludger hit me during practise," Andrew said.

Saffron trailed her fingers over it. "Does it hurt?"

He shrugged. "Not too bad."

Saffron pressed her lips to it and smiled up at him. "Better?"

"Much," he grinned back at her.

Saffron giggled as he unbuttoned her jeans. "Your hands are cold, Mr. Kirke."

"I'll do my best to warm them up," he said, sliding his fingers into her knickers.

Saffron's breath caught in her throat.

"Like that?" he asked softly.

"T-that's good," Saffron stammered.

"Thought you'd enjoy that," he kissed under her ear.

Saffron ran her hands up and down his naked back. His muscles were taut and tight beneath his skin. "Mmmm...."

He sucked in a breath, his eyes closing.

"I need you," Saffron whispered. "Now..."

He nodded, pulling away her knickers before pushing himself inside her.

Saffron wrapped her calves around the back of his knees. Words escaped her at how good it felt to have him like this. He was all hers.

Andrew rested his forehead on hers as she pushed her body up against his.

Tears filled her eyes as she held him to her.

"Saf?" he asked, seeing her expression.

"It's okay," Saffron assured him. "I'm just happy. I'm with you."

Andrew nodded, giving her a kiss.

"I love you," Saffron whispered in his ear as they began to move together.

"Love you too, Saf." he said, his lips brushing her skin.

"Always," Saffron said as he pressed further into her.

"I promise," Andrew said as his breathing grew heavy.

Saffron buried her face in his shoulder to keep from crying out.

"Saf..." Andrew pushed into her one more time.

"Andrew!" Saffron gripped his back.

He collapsed on top of her, unable to reply.

Saffron closed her eyes, trying to catch her breath.

They were both quiet for several minutes after Andrew pushed himself off to her side.

"What are you thinking?" Saffron asked softly.

"About you, of course," he answered.

"Good things?" Saffron asked feeling suddenly shy.

"The best," he grinned crookedly at her.

Saffron giggled. "Good answer."

Andrew gave her a slow, lazy kiss.

Saffron rested her head on his chest. She could just lie here for hours listening to his heart.

He ran his fingers through her long, tangled hair and closed his eyes in contentment.

"This had better not been your way of getting me off my game for next week," Saffron teased.

"I don't think that would even work," he poked her side.

Saffron laughed. "No, it wouldn't."

"Didn't think so," Andrew said dryly.

The smile suddenly fell from Saffron's face. "Natalia will be playing in that match, too."

Andrew sighed. "Yeah... she will be."

"I wouldn't blame her if she wanted to knock me off my broom," Saffron commented.

"I'll be surprised if she even looks at me," Andrew said. "I hated doing that to her."

"Me too," Saffron said. "No matter what I do lately someone seems to get hurt."

"It would have been worse to string her along," Andrew said quietly.

Saffron nodded. "She loves you. I saw it in the way she looked at you."

"But I love you," Andrew turned on his side to look at her. "That never changed, and it never will."

"I feel the same," Saffron said smiling at him.

He gave her a gentle kiss.

There was a knock on the door and it startled the couple.

"Saffron, sweetheart?" Hermione's voice called out.

"Yeah?" Saffron asked, her face turning white.

"How are you feeling?" Hermione asked.

"Um... okay," Saffron answered as she and Andrew scrambled for their clothing.

"Did you and Andrew talk?" Hermione asked.

"Yes," Saffron replied.

Andrew stifled a laugh. "I'll say we did."

"Shhh!" Saffron hissed at him.

Andrew grinned and Saffron threw a pillow at him.

"Saffy?" Hermione asked. "Are you all right in there baby?"

"Fine," Saffron said hastily. "I was just...kipping."

"Why is your door locked?" Hermione tried the knob.

"Is it locked?" Saffron asked struggling with her jumper which was inside out.

"Are you okay?" Hermione asked.

Saffron pointed to her closet. "Go!" she whispered to Andrew.

"What?" he asked.

"Closet," Saffron mouthed.

Andrew slid into the closet just as Saffron let her mother into the room.

"You look a little flushed, sweetheart," Hermione observed.

"It's warm in here," Saffron covered. "And I was um... under the blankets."

"So, how did your talk with Andrew go?" Hermione asked, raising an eyebrow.

Saffron decided to tell her mother a partial truth. "Good," she said. "We've decided to get back together."

"That's great," Hermione said giving her a hug.

Saffron hugged her back. "He still loves me... and I still love him too."

"That the reason why his shoes are on the floor?" Hermione asked.

Saffron gasped.

"He doesn't need to hide under the bed or in the closet," Hermione told her daughter.

Andrew came out sheepishly. "Hello..."

"We were just talking," Saffron said hastily.

Hermione nodded. "Andrew- could I have a word with my daughter?"

"Um, sure," Andrew replied. "Mr. Potter's not home, is he?"

"No he's not," Hermione answered.

"Good," Andrew said with a sigh of relief. "I'll just---um----go take Puddles out."

"Thanks," Saffron wished she could follow him.

Hermione closed the door. "So..."

"We were just talking," Saffron said again.

"You don't lie to me, Saffy," Hermione said. "Don't start now."

Saffron sat down on the edge of the bed. "I went over to his flat right after lunch. We talked. He told me he still loved me and I told him I felt the same way. He wanted to talk to Natalia before we went any further."

"And he broke things off with her?" Hermione asked.

Saffron nodded. "And he came over here and one thing led to another and we...you know."

"Saffy--" Hermione began.

"You're disappointed in me," Saffron said looking down at her lap.

"I don't especially like the idea of you doing that," Hermione said.

"I love him, Mum," Saffron said looking up and meeting her gaze.

"I know you do," Hermione said.

"Are you going to tell Daddy?" Saffron asked.

"That's your decision," Hermione told her.

"He still prefers to think that Julie had Katie and Ashley by Immaculate Conception," Saffron said dryly. "I doubt he'd want to hear about this."

"Just remember, you're his baby," Hermione said. "This is going to be hard on him."

"If I promise not to sneak around anymore, will you not tell him?" Saffron asked.

"I'm not going to say anything to him," Hermione said. "You'll be the one to tell him when you're ready."

"Thanks, Mum," Saffron said giving her mother a hug. "You're the best."

"I'm glad this makes you happy," Hermione said.

"It does," Saffron said. "Could he---could he stay for dinner?"

"Sure baby," Hermione agreed.

Saffron grinned. "For the first time, I feel like everything's going to be okay."

"I'm glad," Hermione smoothed her hair back.

"Hello?" Harry called from the foot of the stairs.

"We'll be right down!" Hermione called back.

"Thanks," Saffron said squeezing her mother's hand.

Hermione kissed her daughter's forehead. "Come on."

Saffron followed her mother downstairs where her father was absently going through the post.

"There she is," Harry said proudly. "How was your first practise?"

"Good," Saffron said. "I won the scrimmage match."

Harry beamed at her. "Saf, that's fantastic!"

"Thanks Daddy," Saffron said. "Um... Andrew's staying for dinner."

"Oh?" Harry asked in surprise.

"We're back together," Saffron twisted her hands together.

Harry looked at his wife who nodded.

"If you're happy, I'm happy for you baby," Harry told her.

"I am," Saffron said giving him a hug. "Very happy."

Andrew came back in the side door with Puddles. He paled when he saw Harry with Hermione and Saffron.

"Hello Andrew," Harry said, nodding at him. "I heard you're staying for dinner."

"I am?" Andrew stammered looking helplessly at Saffron.

"If you want to," Saffron smiled at him.

"I guess I'm staying," Andrew said coming to stand beside her.

"Great," Saffron reached for his hand and squeezed it.

"In fact," Andrew said. "How about Saffron and I make something for you both?"

"That sounds like a good idea," Saffron said. "Can we?"

"Sure," Harry replied. "That'd be great."

"Come on," Saffron said. "Let's see what's in the kitchen."

Andrew followed her into the kitchen. "What did your mum say?" he asked in a hushed tone.

"I think she's uncomfortable with us being together here," Saffron said. "So... your place from now on?"

Andrew nodded. "You know, she can be just as scary as your dad."

"She's sometimes more like a friend to me," Saffron said.

Andrew smiled at her. "I remember how she was when you were...gone."

"I hate knowing how much everyone suffered during that time," Saffron said quietly.

"They suffered because that psycho took you away from us," Andrew said putting his arm around her.

"He caused everyone so much grief," Saffron bit her lower lip.

"Not anymore," Andrew said holding her tight. "Not anymore."

Saffron let him hold her for a few moments.

"So what do you want to make?" Andrew asked. "Hmm? Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches?"

"Smartarse," Saffron had to laugh.

"I'm your smartarse," Andrew said poking her in the side.

"Yes you are," she said softly.

"If I want to impress your folks, peanut butter probably isn't the way," Andrew said thoughtfully.

"Not so much," Saffron replied. "How about some pasta? We can make our own sauce."

"Perfect," Andrew grinned.

"We can make some garlic bread too, and a salad," Saffron poked her head into the icebox.

"That garlic bread that Greta taught you how to make?" Andrew asked, his mouth watering.

"The one and only," Saffron smiled at him.

"Let's get to work," Andrew said with a grin. "You know, my mum would love this kitchen. She's always talking about how small ours is."

"She should come over sometime," Saffron said. "Our parents never really have had dinner together or anything."

Andrew thought that would be a great idea. His parents had always loved Saffron, but he knew his mother would be disappointed if she knew what had happened with Natalia.

"That'd be great," Andrew said. "My parents would love to see you, especially."

"Let's plan it soon, then," Saffron said, getting out a large pot to boil the pasta in.

Andrew started chopping up vegetables for the salad. They worked happily together preparing the meal.

Saffron felt right for the first time since her whole awful ordeal had begun.

Andrew couldn't help stealing a look every now and then at his girlfriend. He'd missed her so much.

"You know, I'll have to get you to teach me that recipe for the bread," he said to her.

Saffron shook her head. "I have to get clearance from Greta first. She's only passed the recipe down to me. I have to make sure it's okay to let you in on the secret."

"I see how it is," he grinned at her.

"I will let you have a taste," Saffron said breaking off a piece of the bread and handing it to him.

"That's the best thing I've ever tasted," Andrew said. "Next to you..."

Saffron grinned. "You know, you might want to leave that tidbit out during the dinner conversation."

"Good point," Andrew nodded.

Saffron leaned in and gave him a kiss. "You know I love you when I kiss you and you have garlic breath."

"You must be the only girl who likes that," he made a face at her.

"Well," Saffron said looping her arms around his neck. "I'm a very unique girl. You should know that by now."

"Unique," Andrew nodded, pulling her close. "And all mine..."

"I love you," Saffron whispered.

"Love you too," he kissed her chastely.

"I'll go and let the parentals know dinner's ready," Saffron said smiling up at him.

"Sounds good," he said, waving his wand at the table to set it.

Saffron was still grinning when she walked out of the kitchen. She found her parents in the sitting room. "Dinner is served..."

"It smells great, baby." Harry said.

Saffron took his hand. "I made Greta's garlic bread, too."

"Great," Harry hugged her. "Glad to see you happy again, sweetheart."

"I am, Daddy," Saffron said. "Very happy."

"Good," he said. "Come on, I'm starving."

"And he's happy he didn't have to cook tonight," Hermione teased.

"That too," Harry confessed.

Andrew was standing by the table when the Potters came back into the kitchen.

"Dinner is served," he said, bowing comically.

Saffron looked at her father. "Can we keep him?"

Harry laughed. "Sure, sweetheart."

"This looks lovely," Hermione said. "Thank you both for doing this."

"We were glad to," Andrew replied.

They all sat down and Saffron gave Andrew's hand a squeeze underneath the table.

"So, we'll get to see you play as well next weekend," Hermione said to Andrew. "Since your team's playing Saffy's."

"When Puddlemere beats Wimbourne," Saffron replied.

"The garlic must have made you delusional, Saf," Andrew said. "We are the number one team right now."

"Not for long," she boasted.

"That's my girl," Harry said proudly.

"I'll be covering my eyes through the game," Hermione shuddered.

"Mum, you promised you'd watch the entire match," Saffron reminded her.

"I'll try," Hermione told her.

"My mum's the same way," Andrew said. "She covers her eyes and then after the match berates me for flying too fast and too high..."

"We always did get along quite well," Hermione smiled.

"She tells me I'll understand someday when I have kids of my own and they get up on a broom," Andrew said with a laugh.

"That you will," Hermione nodded.

"I'm going to be fine," Saffron reassured her mother.

"Of course she is," Harry smiled at her.

"My dad taught me well," Saffron smiled back at him.

"Unfortunately for Wimbourne," Andrew quipped.

Saffron grinned mischievously at him. "I'll go easy on you, Kirke."

"No way," Andrew shook his head. "You play hard."

"I was just trying to psyche you out," Saffron said. "I will play hard. I have a lot to prove."

"You just do your best," Harry told her.

"I can't even begin to tell you what today felt like for me," Saffron said. "It was like all the pieces seemed to come together finally. I love being up there."

"That's how I always felt too," Harry said, taking another serving of pasta.

Saffron smiled at her father. "And now...being here with you guys and Andrew...I'm just so blessed. I've been given a second chance and I don't want to screw it up."

"I'm sure you won't," Hermione reached over and squeezed her daughter's hand.

"I want you to be proud of me again," Saffron said softly.

"I am proud, baby," Hermione told her.

"Really?" Saffron asked.

"Always," Hermione replied.

"To Saffy," Andrew said raising his glass.

Saffron blushed as her parents also raised their glasses.

"To Saffy," Harry said. "May all your dreams come true."

Saffron glanced at Andrew. "Most of them have already."

Andrew grinned. "This is only the beginning, Saf."

*** *** ***

It had been two weeks since the disastrous trip to New York for New Year's Eve and Darla still wasn't over what had happened. In fact, every single time she thought about it, the angrier she became. Hans was still in New York City apparently up to his eyeballs in publicity and admiration. He'd tried calling but Darla had refused to take his calls.

"Sweetheart," Luna said to her daughter. "I'm worried about you."

"I'm fine," Darla replied without hesitation. She'd been staying with her parents since the New Year's debacle.

"No you aren't," Luna answered.

Darla scribbled something in her appointment book. "I'm fine, Mum. Just leave it, please."

Luna sighed. "Do you want something to eat?"

"I was going to make myself some toast," Darla said.

"I'll get it for you," Luna went into the kitchen.

Darla set her things aside and felt a twinge of guilt. She knew her mother was only trying to help.

The phone rang again and Darla picked it up without much thought.

"Darla? Don't hang up---"

She immediately slammed the receiver down without uttering another word.

"Who was that?" Ron asked coming into the sitting room.

"Him," Darla said icily.

"He calls again, you let ME answer it," Ron told his daughter.

"Fine," Darla rubbed at her eyes.

"Or better yet, we'll send your uncles over there and have them test out a few of our new products," Ron said rubbing his hands together.

Darla couldn't even laugh. "Whatever you want, Daddy."

"I'm going to get some coffee," Ron said. "Do you want anything?"

"Mum's making me some toast," Darla answered.

Ron nodded and looked sympathetically at his daughter before leaving the room.

"Let me guess," Luna said to her husband. "He called again."

Ron nodded.

"I heard her slamming the phone down," Luna said shaking her head. "I just wish he'd realise that he needs to come home to make this right."

"I know what I'd like to make right," Ron said grimly.

"Ronald, violence is never the answer," Luna chided him.

"It would be in this case," Ron snapped.

"This doesn't even sound like our son-in-law," Luna commented. "He's been very good to Darla in the past. I just can't believe he would leave her like that!"

"I just know she's hurting," Ron got himself some coffee.

"I'm not hurting," Darla said from the doorway. "I'm pissed off."

"I've got your toast, sweetheart," Luna said. "Sit down and eat."

"Thanks, Mum," Darla said gratefully. "I really appreciate you letting me stay here."

"Anytime you want, baby." Luna said. "You know you're always welcome."

"We've loved having you here," Ron said.

Darla nodded. "Thanks Daddy."

The phone rang again and Darla rolled her eyes. "Can we disconnect the bloody thing?"

"I'll get it," Ron held up his hand.

"Hello?" Ron asked picking up the receiver.

"Uh... may I speak to Darla please?" Hans asked.

"Oh, so you do remember her name?" Ron asked sarcastically.

"Mr. Weasley--" Hans began.

"She doesn't want to speak to you," Ron barked.

Darla watched her father intently. She wondered what her louse of a husband was trying to say.

"If I could just explain," Hans said.

"If it was important to you, you'd come home," Ron said angrily.

"That's what--" Hans began again.

Ron hung up the phone.

Darla let her head fall onto the table. "He just doesn't get it."

"He'll get it if he calls again," Ron said sternly. "No one hurts my girls and gets away with it."

Darla suddenly felt very near tears. "I think I'm going to go upstairs and lie down."

"Oh, sweetheart," Luna said softly.

"I'll be okay," Darla said, rushing from the room.

"I could hear music in the background when I was talking to that wanker," Ron told his wife. "I bet he was at some party..."

"Don't assume the worst, Ronald." Luna told him.

Ron didn't respond to this and he sat down at the table. Luna cleared away the breakfast dishes, wishing there was something she could do to take away her daughter's pain.

There was a knock at the kitchen door and Luna went to answer it. To her surprise, Hans stood on the other side of the door. He did look like he'd just come from a party.

"Hans!" she said in surprise.

"What the hell are you doing here?" Ron asked coming over to stand beside his wife. "And do you---do you have on makeup?"

"I was just finishing up a shoot," Hans explained. "I need to see Darla."

"Funny, you should mention the word 'shoot'," Ron glared at him. "Luna, get my gun."

"Ronald, you don't have a gun!" Luna said in exasperation.

"Well fine... I'll make one with my wand," Ron replied.

"Mr. Weasley, please," Hans said. "You told me to come home..."

"Not to my home!" Ron declared.

Luna held up her hand. "She's upstairs in her room, Hans."

"Can I go up to see her?" Hans asked.

"That will be up to Darla," Luna replied. "If you'll wait down here, I'll just go and see if she wants to see you."

"Sure..." Hans said, stepping inside. Ron continued to glare at him.

"Behave," Luna warned Ron.

Ron crossed his arms and leaned against the counter without saying a word.

Hans fidgeted uncomfortably by the door. "It's the new line," he heard himself saying. "The new spring line, actually. They're going to throw a fit when they realise I left..."

"Hm," Ron said coolly.

"That's why I have the makeup on," Hans explained. "I don't wear it all the time. Just for photo shoots..."

"Sure," Ron replied, his tone still icy.

"How've you been, Mr. Weasley?" Hans asked.

"Fine," Ron answered sharply.

Hans looked past his father-in-law wondering where on earth Darla was.

Luna came down at that moment. "She said she'll see you in a few minutes."

Hans sighed in relief. "Thank you, Mrs. Weasley."

Luna nodded. "Have a seat."

"Thank you," Hans said, well aware that he was under the watchful eye of Ron.

Ron continued to glare at him, never once removing his eyes from his son in law.

"Can I get you anything to drink?" Luna offered.

"No thank you," Hans declined.

Luna looked over to where her husband was standing and was startled to see that he had his wand out and was about to point it at Hans. "Ronald---"

Ron quickly hid it again behind his back.

Hans gulped and was grateful to see his wife a few moments later. "Sweetheart---"

"What do you want?" Darla asked in a tone identical to her father's.

"The chance to explain," Hans replied standing up.

"Let's give them some privacy," Luna said to Ron. "Ronald---"

"I just want to get something to eat--" Ron began.

Luna grabbed him by the arm and yanked him out of the kitchen.

Darla stared at the man she had married, her eyes clouded over.

"You look tired," Hans commented.

"I am," she said coldly.

"Won't you sit down?" Hans asked.

"I'm fine," Darla said. "What do you want."

"You haven't been taking my calls," Hans said. "I wanted to explain what happened on New Year's."

"What's there to explain?" Darla rolled her eyes. "You LEFT me there."

Hans ran a hand through his hair in frustration. "I was going to come back---"

"But you didn't," she interjected.

"I got hung up at the party," Hans explained, but he realised that was the wrong thing to say.

Darla shook her head. "That's all life is to you. Parties."

"I had to go," Hans told her. "It was part of the ad campaign."

"So in other words, your campaign is more important than I am."

"Quit trying to twist my words around!" Hans retorted.

"I don't have to!" Darla snapped.

"Look," Hans said trying to stay calm. "I came back to the dressing room, but you were asleep. You looked so beautiful and peaceful, I didn't want to wake you---"

"So you just left me there without any word on where you were going or where I could find you," Darla replied.

"There wasn't time to leave a note," Hans replied.

Darla scoffed. "No time to leave a note? That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard."

"Darla, I can't believe this is what you're upset about," Hans said quietly. "I was going to come back when the party was over...'

"You were with that blonde," Darla said. "It's like you don't even have a wife."

"This again?" Hans asked.

"This is the main PROBLEM!" Darla said angrily. "I was there to support you and the only person you introduced me to was your bloody agent."

"I told you that we can't tell anyone that we're married and you know why!" Hans shot back.

"Bullshit," Darla glared at him.

"This is my career!" Hans exclaimed. "Do you know how long I've waited for this kind of break?"

"Of course I do!" Darla replied. "But you don't have to leave me out of it completely."

"It's just for a little while," Hans said in exasperation. "How many times do I have to tell you that?"

Darla shook her head. "I have nothing to say to you, Hans."

The mobile phone in his pocket began to ring and Hans sighed. "That's going to be the photographer. They probably just noticed that I've gone."

"Big surprise," Darla rolled her eyes.

"I have to get back," Hans said quietly. "People are counting on me."

"Of course they are," Darla said. "And as usual, I don't matter."

"If you didn't matter, would I be here now?" Hans asked her. "I love you, Darla."

"Show me, instead of telling me," Darla said, tears springing to her eyes.

"Darla---"

His phone began to ring again and he reluctantly answered it. "Yeah...yeah...I stepped out for just a second. I'll be right there."

"Go," Darla said sarcastically.

"When you're ready to talk," Hans said pocketing his phone. "Really talk, you know where I am."

"Goodbye," Darla wouldn't look at him.

Hans gave her one last look before Apparating.

Darla wiped her eyes before resting her head on the table.

"Sweetheart?" Luna asked, coming up behind her and putting her hand on her daughter's shoulder.

"It's like he doesn't even care," Darla cried.

Luna hugged her. "I'm sure that's not true."

"He just rushed back without us even really talking," Darla sobbed.

Luna patted her back. "You're going to sort it out, Darla. You will. All marriages go through a test."

"I don't know if ours will make it," Darla admitted.

"No matter what happens," Luna said looking at her daughter. "You have your family and we love you more than anything and we'll do whatever it takes to support you."

"Thanks," Darla said quietly.

"I wish I knew what to do to make you feel better," Luna said.

"I don't even know what to do," Darla said. She was silent for a few moments. "I need Drew."

Luna smiled. "You and Drew have always been a great team."

"She's my best friend," Darla said.

"Do you want me to go with you?" Luna asked.

"I was hoping you could go get her for me," Darla admitted. "If you don't mind..."

"Thanks Mum," Darla said gratefully.

Luna excused herself and a few minutes later Drew arrived with Chloe.

"Hey you," Drew said, looking at her twin.

"Aunt Dar!" Chloe exclaimed, waving at her aunt.

Luna held out her hands to her granddaughter. "How about you and I go and scare your grandfather?"

Chloe giggled. "I scare!"

Luna smiled. "Come on, then. Let's get him. Did you bring your toy spiders?"

Chloe nodded, holding a little bag in her hand.

"Alrighty," Luna said taking her granddaughter by the hand.

Drew sat down by her sister. "Talk to me."

"Hans came by," Darla replied. "For about two minutes."

"What happened?" Drew asked.

"He didn't see why I was angry," Darla said rolling her eyes. "He said he left me but he was going to come back..."

"You don't believe that," Drew guessed.

Darla shook her head. "Not one word."

"What do you think is going to happen?" Drew asked softly.

"I don't know," Darla said quietly. "And it scares me to death."

Drew hugged her sister. "I think you'll work it out."

"I'm just glad that you're here," Darla said.

"I wouldn't be anywhere else when my twin needs me," Drew told her.

From upstairs, they heard an ear-splitting scream.

"I'm guessing Chloe just scared Dad," Darla said laughing just a little bit.

Drew grinned. "Soon as she heard we were coming over she grabbed that bag of spiders."

Darla laughed. "I needed that."

"It's good to see you smile," Drew commented.

"I haven't done much of that lately, have I?" Darla asked.

Drew shook her head. "But it's understandable."

Darla gave her sister another hug. "Everyone's been so great. I don't know what I'd do without you."

"You'll never have to wonder," Drew told her. "You're the other part of me, Dar."

Darla's lower lip trembled at her sister's words. "Oh, Drew...."

Drew hugged her again. "My best friend in the whole world. You were there for me when I thought I was all alone."

"Hope," Darla said quietly.

"I'll never forget that," Drew told her.

"I'd do anything for you," Darla said resting her head on her sister's shoulder.

"Same goes for me," Drew said.

Chloe came running into the kitchen giggling all the way. "Mummy! I scare Gampa bad!"

Drew lifted her up. "We heard, baby. Good job."

"Don't encourage her!" Ron exclaimed. "I was just sitting upstairs reading over some accounting figures when all of a sudden, this shower of spiders falls on top of my head!"

Chloe squealed in laughter.

"Who gave you those spiders, Chloe?" Ron asked his granddaughter.

"Fred," Chloe answered happily.

"I should have figured," Ron grumbled.

"She was just having fun, Daddy," Drew said in her defence.

"And I'm cute!" Chloe added.

Everyone laughed at that, including Ron.

"Come here you little monster," Ron scooped her up.

Chloe giggled. "Gampa!"

"I bet my little Chloe is hungry for some ice cream," Ron said.

Chloe nodded. "Peas?"

"Peas?" Ron tickled her. "You want some peas?"

Chloe giggled. "No!"

Darla smiled. "Can I get a Chloe hug first?"

Ron set the little girl down and she ran toward her aunt. "Don't be sad, Aunt Dar. Kay?"

"Not with you around, sweetheart," Darla said.

Chloe put her arms around her aunt's neck. "Love you."

Darla's eyes teared up again. "I love you too, angel."

"I think she's just what the doctor ordered," Luna said smiling at Drew.

"Always," Darla kissed her niece's cheek.

"Why don't you come by the house later?" Drew asked her sister. "You can have dinner with us, Dar."

"You wouldn't mind?" Darla asked.

"Of course not," Drew said with a grin.

"I'd love to come," Darla said.

Chloe clapped her hands together. "Yay!"

"What will we be having, Miss Chloe?" Darla asked.

Chloe shrugged. "Don't know. Mummy?"

"We can decide when we go home, okay baby?" Drew asked.

Chloe nodded. "Kay, Mummy."

"Only a little ice cream," Drew told her.

Chloe slid off of Darla's lap and toddled over to the counter where Ron was already preparing a bowl of ice cream for her.

"Little more?" she asked.

"Our little secret," Ron whispered.

"You know," Drew confided. "Hans has called Brian..."

"His phone seems to be his best friend these days," Darla rolled her eyes.

"He wanted to know if Brian would plead his case, but Brian said it wasn't his place," Drew said.

"Good," Darla said shortly.

"It's a good thing that I haven't seen him," Drew said. "I'd like to give him a piece of my mind."

"Dad did," Darla said.

"Way to go, Dad!" Drew said pumping her fist in triumph.

Ron nodded. "If your mum wasn't here..."

"Ronald," Luna warned.

"Just saying," Ron replied.

"Thanks, Daddy," Darla said offering him a slight smile.

"More chocolate," Chloe interrupted.

"Dad, how much are you giving her?" Drew asked, standing up and walking over to the counter. "That's enough ice cream to feed a small army!"

"It's for both of us," Ron said defensively.

"We share," Chloe said grinning at her mother.

"You better," Drew said. "No more, Dad."

"Alright, alright," Ron promised. "Get your spoon, Chloe. We're about to dive in."

"Yummy!" Chloe said eagerly.

Luna laughed. "I guess all is forgiven about the spiders then?"

"Gampa no stay mad at me," Chloe told her.

"Someone's been taking lessons from Aunt Maddie," Drew grinned.

Ron laughed. "She's got the look down."

Darla smiled, but her mind was on her absentee husband. Someday, she'd thought about the two of them starting a family. But, that was out of the question now, wasn't it?

239. Chapter 239

Authors’ note: We hope you will enjoy this latest chapter. It has the Princess Club, after all! You haven’t seen them in quite awhile. Also, more RJ/Saffron/Andrew/Audrey…with a surprise guest! And as a special note to those of you who are members of our group on Orkut…we’re going to start doing little previews of the next chapter. You can get a sneak peak at what’s coming up. We hope you will go and check it out if you’re not already a member! http://www.orkut.com/Community.aspx?cmm=24168427

Will was away for a few days on a research trip so Frankie brought Hannah and the twins over to Jon and Allison's so they could play. Allison was glad to have her sister there as Katie and Mia were also over for the afternoon.

Emma lugged a big trunk of dress up clothes into the sitting room with Hannah's help.

"Sissy, Em can't find her crown," Emma said to her big sister.

"I'm sure it's around somewhere, Em." Caroline told her.

Emma put her hands on her hips. "I better find it!"

"It's probably under your bed," Katie answered.

Emma looked thoughtful for a few moments. "Maxi! Maxi had it in his house!"

"Why does Max have it?" Caroline asked.

"Just 'cause," Emma replied.

"I'll go and get it," Mia offered.

"Thanks Mia," Hannah said.

Mia smiled at the younger girls before heading out the back door.

Katie opened up her bag. "Caroline, what colour do you want me to paint your nails? I have this really cool glitter polish..."

"Oooh really?" Caroline asked. "Cool!"

"I have luscious lavender and passionate pink," Katie said holding up the two bottles.

"Definitely the pink," Caroline said. "It's my favourite colour."

"Mine too," Katie grinned. "I'll do your toes first."

"Cool," Caroline giggled.

Mia came back carrying Emma's crown. "Here it is, Emma. I wiped off all the dog slobber."

"Ewww," Emma said. "Maxi spit."

"He almost didn't let me have it back," Mia said sitting back down beside Caroline.

Katie rolled her eyes. She hoped Mia didn't think she was going to have her toenails painted.

"Mia, what colour do you like best?" Caroline asked. "Lavender or pink?"

"I like lavender," Mia replied. "But pink's nice, too."

"We can do your nails in both," Caroline suggested.

"Oooh, that'd be cool!" Mia said with a grin. "We could do every other finger in a different colour!"

"Awesome!" Caroline said excitedly.

"If we have enough," Katie said. "I just did get this colour and I don't want to waste it."

"We can always get more," Caroline replied.

"It's okay," Mia said quietly. "I don't have to have my nails done."

"But then we won't match," Caroline said.

Katie sighed in defeat. "Okay, we can paint your nails, too."

"Thanks Katie," Caroline smiled at her.

"No problem," Katie said smiling back at her.

"When can we play princesses?" Emma asked.

"When we finish with our nails," Caroline promised. "But you and Hannah can go ahead and get started."

Emma pursed her little lips. "But we need you."

"You go ahead and get changed," Caroline told her. "We'll join in right afterwards."

Emma didn't like that answer, but she walked to the other side of the room and dug into the trunk with Hannah.

"Do you guys really want to play princesses?" Katie asked in a lower voice so the little girls wouldn't hear her.

"Sure," Caroline shrugged.

"I'm 10 now," Katie said with a sigh. "You guys are nine. Aren't we a little old to be playing dress up?"

Caroline and Mia looked at each other. "Kind of," Mia agreed.

"But it means so much to Emma," Caroline protested.

"But she has Hannah now," Katie said. "Plus Sukie, and Casey."

"Are you saying we should quit the club?" Caroline asked.

"Well yeah," Katie said. "We're getting too old for this stuff."

"I suppose," Caroline said thoughtfully. "We could pass it down to Emma, Hannah and the other girls."

"Right," Katie nodded.

"What do you think, Mia?" Caroline asked her other best friend.

"I'm okay with passing it down to them," Mia told her.

"Emma?" Caroline called for her sister. "Can you and Hannah come over here?"

"We're changing!" Emma informed her.

"It's important," Caroline said. "It's an official princess meeting."

"Oh," Emma said. "Come on Han."

Hannah linked her arm with Emma's and they crossed the room.

"Em," Caroline said. "We've decided that we're going to give you and Hannah the princess club."

"What does that mean, Sissy?" Emma asked.

"It means that me, Caroline and Mia aren't going to be princesses anymore," Katie explained.

Hannah and Emma exchanged worried glances.

"We're getting older now," Caroline said gently. "And we know that you and Hannah will be great leaders for Sukie, Casey and Chloe."

"And Izzie," Mia added. "When she's old enough."

"Right," Katie said. "So, if you guys want it, it's yours."

"Will you still play with us sometimes?" Emma asked.

"Of course," Caroline said.

"Okay," Emma nodded.

Caroline gave her baby sister a hug. "You're going to be a great leader, Em."

"Careful!" Katie squealed. "You'll smudge the polish!"

"Sorry," Emma said. "Come on, Han. Let's go tell my Mummy!"

"Okay," Hannah took her hand and they ran to the kitchen where Allie and Frankie were having some tea.

"Mummy, guess what?" Emma squealed.

"Shhh," Allison cautioned her. "Indoor voice, Em."

"Sissy and Katie don't wanna be princesses anymore," Emma said in a softer voice. "So, me and Han are the new leaders."

"My, my." Frankie smiled at her daughter. "That's a big responsibility."

Hannah beamed. "I know!"

"Think you two can handle it?" Allison teased.

Emma nodded. "We have sooooo much to do!"

"We better get started," Hannah told her.

"We have to talk to Chloe," Emma said thoughtfully. "We need to make her an offer!"

"An offer?" Frankie was amused.

"And sign her contract," Hannah said in agreement.

"I wasn't aware that the princess club had contracts," Allison said with a grin.

"It does now!" Emma sang.

Allison and Frankie laughed at this.

"Oooh," Hannah said happily. "We can draw up new rules, too!"

"Like what?" Frankie asked.

Emma thought for a moment. "Sweets at every meeting!"

"That's very important," Hannah nodded.

"Very important," Allison agreed, picking up her daughter and setting her on her lap. "What else have you got, baby?"

"Ummm..." Emma thought some more. "Han?"

"We should meet at least three times a week," Hannah replied. "And have princess sleepovers!"

"With pizza!" Emma said.

"Oooh," Hannah said excitedly. "That'd be great."

"Meetings three days a week?" Allison asked. "Maybe during summer hols."

"Once a week?" Hannah suggested instead.

"That sounds better, baby." Frankie told her. "We can manage that."

Emma grinned and leaned against her mother. "I like being in charge!"

"I bet you do," Allison kissed the top of her head.

"And I'm sure that you two will do as good a job as Katie, Caroline and Mia did," Frankie said proudly.

"I hope so," Hannah said as Izzie's eyes popped open and she let out a tiny yawn.

"All this talk of princesses must have woken her up," Frankie said with a grin.

"Izzie will get to be a princess someday," Hannah said.

"We have some openings," Emma said grinning.

"How about we teach her how to walk, talk, and eat sweets first?" Frankie teased her niece.

"That might be a good idea," Emma said.

"She's already working on the talking part," Hannah said leaning down and kissing her sister's forehead.

"Yes she is," Frankie said. "Especially with your help."

"Mummy, we're going to paint Adam's nails okay?" Caroline asked coming into the kitchen and asking the question so fast Allison barely caught that.

"Wait a minute," Allison said. "A bit slower?"

"We're going to paint Adam's nails," Caroline said. "He's sleeping so it won't bother him."

"I don't think so," Allison answered.

"Aunt Allie, we did one toe and he didn't even wake up," Katie said.

"Take it off him," Allison told them. "When he wakes up, IF he wants his nails painted, you can do it. Until then, leave him be."

Katie sighed. "Okay."

"Caroline," Allison said. "You know better."

Caroline nodded sheepishly. "I'm sorry, Mummy. We'll take it off of him."

"Good," Allison nodded.

Katie, Mia and Caroline headed out of the kitchen.

Frankie shook her head. "Jon would love to see his son with his nails painted, I'm sure."

"I don't think Adam's going to want it," Allison confessed.

"Ad might like it if I did it," Emma said.

"No, baby." Allison shook her head.

Emma frowned. "Okay."

"You two go have your princess meeting," Allison said. "Write down your new rules, okay?"

"Kay," Emma said giving her mother a hug before she hurried out of the kitchen with Hannah.

Allison laughed. "Were we ever like that?"

"I don't know," Frankie shook her head.

"You might have been," Allison teased. "Glamour girl."

"I prefer fashionista," Frankie joked, lifting her daughter from her seat.

"You used to go into Chiaki's room and 'borrow' her clothes," Allison recalled. "And she would get so mad at you!"

"I was the youngest, and you guys always got first pick," Frankie said.

"Never mind that her clothes were way too big for you," Allison reminded her.

"I always made them fit somehow," Frankie laughed.

"You were quite resourceful," Allison said. "Do you want some more tea?"

"I'll take another cup, sure." Frankie replied. "Thanks."

"I'm just glad you showed up to help out," Allison said. "I can't imagine handling five girls and Adam all by myself."

"No problem," Frankie replied. "It's nice to be able to spend time like this."

Allison poured them both another cup of tea. "I know what you mean. So, how has Saffron been doing? I heard that she had her first practise."

"She's amazing," Frankie said. "Honestly... I've never seen anyone play like her."

"I'm really excited about seeing her first match," Allison said.

"You're all in for a treat," Frankie patted Izzie's back gently.

"Jon's trying to talk Darla into going," Allison confided.

"Why wouldn't she want to?" Frankie asked. "Are she and Hans still having trouble?"

Allison filled her sister in on what had happened the other day at Ron and Luna's.

"Wow," Frankie said. "He just doesn't get it, does he?"

"What would you have done if Will had ever pulled something like that?" Allison asked her.

"I don't even know," Frankie shook her head. "And if it had been me... well... he means way too much to me."

"I hope they can work this out," Allison said softly. "They love each other so much."

Frankie nodded. "All he needs to do is tell his manager that this goofy deal about him saying he's single is off."

"I know," Allison agreed.

Izzie let out a small cry.

"What is it, sweetheart?" Frankie asked patting her daughter's back. "Oh----okay. Allie, I'm going to use the changing table in Adam's room."

"Sounds good," Allison replied with a grin.

"My least favourite part," Frankie said laughing.

"Join the club," Allison said. "I'll keep an eye on Nathan for you."

"Thank you," Frankie said gratefully.

"Stinky girl," Frankie made a face at her daughter once she got her on the changing table.

Isabelle grinned up at her mother.

Frankie laughed. "You like doing this, don't you?"

Isabelle laughed even harder.

"Frack," a groggy voice called out from behind her.

Frankie looked over her shoulder at where Adam was standing up in his crib. "Hiya, buddy."

"Hi," Adam said. "Out?"

"Hang on just a second," Frankie told him. "Let me finish up with your stinky cousin first."

Adam made a face. "Ewww."

"My thoughts exactly," Frankie said.

"Mama," Isabelle said.

Frankie didn't think she would ever get tired of hearing that word on her daughter's lips. She leaned down and kissed her daughter's soft cheek.

"Kissy," Adam rocked back and forth.

"What do you think, Izzie?" Frankie asked her. "Should we let him out?"

Isabelle grinned up at her again.

Frankie laughed. "I'll take that as a yes."

She kept an eye on her daughter while she quickly picked Adam up and set him down.

"Play," Adam said happily.

"You want to play with your sisters?" Frankie asked, lifting Isabelle up carefully.

"Sissy," Adam said nodding his head.

Frankie grinned. "Lead the way, Sir Adam."

Adam laughed and toddled his way out of the nursery.

"Come on baby girl," Frankie said. "Let's go see if your brother is up."

Isabelle rested her head on Frankie's shoulder.

"Mama!" Adam called out as he slowly eased himself down the stairs. "Mama!"

"She's in the kitchen, Adam." Frankie followed behind her nephew.

Adam reached the bottom step and seemed quite proud of himself for doing so.

Allison came out of the kitchen and grinned when she saw her little boy.
"Mama!" Adam cried out happily.

"Look at you!" Allison exclaimed. "Going down the stairs by yourself!

Adam beamed up at her. "I did!"

"You'll have to show Daddy when he gets home," Allison picked him up.

Frankie smiled. "He woke up when I was changing Izzie."

"He's been down for awhile," Allison said. "Are you hungry, baby?"

Adam nodded.

"I'll make you a grilled cheese," Allison told him.

Adam threw his arms around Allison's neck. "Yay!"

Allison laughed. "Always hungry... part of being a Weasley."

"That's what Jon does when you make him a grilled cheese, too, isn't it?" Frankie asked teasingly.

Allison grinned. "I get a little more than that for a grilled cheese."

Frankie laughed. "Say no more."

"I better fix something for the girls too," Allison said. "Soon as Emma smells this she'll be in here."

"Let me help," Frankie said. "I just need to put Izzie in her seat."

"Thanks," Allison said.

"How's my little guy doing?" Frankie asked.

"Still sleeping," Allison said with a grin.

Frankie set Isabelle carefully into her bouncy seat. "He's the best sleeper."

"Sure looks like it," Allison said, waving her wand at the stove.

"We should do something like this more often," Frankie said getting the loaf of bread from the cupboard.

"Sure," Allison replied. "It's nice spending time together."

"Since we are the parents of royalty," Frankie said with a curtsy.

"Of course," Allison said dryly.

Emma and Hannah came into the kitchen, wearing their full princess costumes. Hannah was carrying pieces of paper and a crayon.

"We have Chloe's contract right here," Hannah said holding it up for her mother to see.

"I'm sure she'll sign it right away," Frankie told her.

"Aunt Frack, Chloe can't write yet!" Emma reminded her.

"You can help her," Frankie suggested.

"She'll have her choice of princess," Hannah said. "Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, or Jasmine."

"Wow," Emma said. "That's a lot!"

"We had those openings," Hannah said looking at her list. "We'll have to fill them pretty quickly."

"But I still get to be Ariel," Emma said.

"Of course," Hannah said grinning at her cousin. "You're the only Ariel."

Adam shook his head. "No, Em. Sissy is Em."

Hannah giggled. "But she pretends to be Ariel, Adam."

Adam patted Emma's arm. "Em."

"You can call me Ariel or Emma, Adam." Emma told him.

Adam grinned. "Kay."

"I hope you girls are hungry," Frankie said. "We're making grilled cheese sandwiches."

"YUM!" Emma shrieked happily.

Nathan stirred in his carrier and started to cry.

"Uh oh," Frankie said. "He'll need to be changed too. Be right back."

"Okay," Allison said sympathetically.

"Nathan has really, really stinky nappies," Hannah told them.

"Adam did too," Emma said pinching her nose. "Really, really bad ones!"

"No I didn't!" Adam denied.

"You so did," Emma countered.

"Em was stinky!" Adam said.

Emma vehemently shook her head. "NO, I WASN'T!"

"Emma," Allison chastised. "No yelling."

"Sorry," Emma said looking down at the floor.

"And news flash for all of you, you all had stinky nappies when you were babies," Allison said.

"See?" Emma asked Adam pointedly.

"Now, Hannah and Emma, would you please do me a favour and go find Caroline and the other girls and tell them lunch is ready?" Allison asked.

"Sure, Aunt Allie," Hannah said. "Come on Em."

"Don't eat without us, Mummy," Emma said.

"Never, baby." Allison said.

"Be right back, Adam," Emma told her brother.

"Kay," Adam said. "Mama... hungry!"

"You are?" Allison asked picking him up. "Well, let's get you in your high chair, love. Do you want some crisps with your sandwich?"

"Yes!" Adam said happily.

Allison set him in his chair and gave him a kiss. "And I'll bet you also want pumpkin juice, too. Am I right?"

"Yum, yum, yum!" Adam nodded, waving at Isabelle.

Isabelle waved her little hand back at him.

Adam laughed. "Iz!"

"She loves her cousin," Allison smiled at him.

Adam nodded. "Right."

"Something smells good," Caroline said coming into the kitchen with her friends and Emma. "Oooh, grilled cheese!"

"I'm soooooo hungry," Mia said.

"Caroline, can you get that bag of crisps out of the pantry?" Allison asked her daughter.

"Yes Mummy," Caroline hurried to the cupboards.

Frankie came back into the kitchen with Nathan. "He didn't want to miss the party."

Hannah trailed behind her. "I bet he'd like grilled cheese."

"I bet he will too," Frankie agreed. "But for now, he and Izzie will have to get by on baby food."

"Maybe they have grilled cheese baby food," Katie suggested.

"Eww," Caroline said, her nose scrunching up in disgust.

"Icky," Emma agreed.

"We've done it," Frankie said looking at her sister. "We have finally found the one food Emma Madeline Weasley will not eat."

"She won't eat Dad's cheese and marmalade either," Allison said.

Emma shook her head. "No way! Just thinking about it makes my tummy hurt!"

"It always was pretty gross," Frankie said.

"My daddy and Greta like Vegemite sandwiches," Katie said. "I tried it once, but I spit it out."

"What's that?" Emma asked.

"It's really big in Australia," Katie told her. "It looks a little like dark peanut butter but it sure doesn't taste like it!"

"What does it taste like?" Mia asked.

Katie thought for a moment. "Well, it's really...bitter and salty."

"Gross," Caroline made a face.

Katie giggled. "You can try some next time you're over. Greta keeps loads of it for Daddy."

"No thanks," Caroline shook her head.

Adam happily held up a crisp and looked at it before popping it into his mouth. "Yum!"

"He's got my appetite," Emma said, looking proudly at her brother.

"Uh-oh," Allison teased.

"Double the food!" Emma sang.

Frankie laughed. "Emma, you are too much!"

"Too much food," Hannah said mischievously.

Emma beamed at her best friend. "Yes, I am!"

Everyone laughed at that, even Adam.

"When does Jon get home?" Frankie asked.

"In a few hours," Allison said.

"He's going to take Em and me for a bicycle ride," Caroline told her.

"And me!" Adam chimed in.

"Adam, you can't ride a bike," Emma said.

Adam's lower lip trembled. "Want to go!"

"Where is he taking them for a bike ride in January?" Frankie asked.

"Just down the street and back," Allison said. "But, you know, your daddy might not get back until after dark, Caroline. I don't want you riding then."

"But Mummy--" Caroline protested.

"He has all day tomorrow off," Allison interjected. "I'm sure if the weather is nice, we can all go."

"Me too?" Adam asked.

Allison tweaked his nose. "You too, love."

"Kay," Adam said, digging back into his grilled cheese.

"How is your sister doing at Hogwarts, Katie?" Frankie asked conversationally.

Katie shrugged. "Fine."

"You know," Frankie said grinning at her. "Someday, you and your big sister might be good friends just like my sisters and I are."

"Maybe," Katie said.

"Pretty soon, you'll be going to Hogwarts," Frankie said. "And it will be good that you'll have her there to show you around."

"Then you can show me and Mia around," Caroline said.

"There's no guarantee that she'll get to go," Katie pointed out. "I mean, she's Muggle born."

"But, my Uncle Will's magical," Mia said defensively. "I know I have to be too!"

"You won't know till you get your letter," Katie said dismissively.

"You will," Caroline reassured Mia. "I know you will."

"I hope so," Mia said softly.

"And the three of us will be in Gryffindor," Caroline said with a grin.

"She might get into Ravenclaw," Katie muttered. "Since that's what house her uncle was in."

"I bet she's in Gryffindor with us," Caroline replied.

Katie sighed. Caroline really shouldn't feed into Mia's delusions.

"There's no reason to believe that Mia won't get into Gryffindor," Frankie told Katie.

"I hope she does," Katie lied.

Frankie nodded. "Good."

Katie leaned back in her chair. She didn't think Mia should get her hopes up about Hogwarts. The girl wasn't magical and hadn't shown any magical tendencies in all the years that Katie had known her. There was no possibly way she would get into Hogwarts.

"Mummy can I have more?" Emma asked.

"You can have some more crisps, but I think one sandwich is enough," Allison replied.

"I'm so hungry though!" Emma complained.

"Well, if you eat another sandwich, you won't have any room for the apple turnovers I made," Allison grinned.

"You made your apple turnovers?" Caroline asked in surprise.

"I sure did," Allison said. "But I guess Em doesn't want one--"

Emma vehemently nodded. "I DO!"

Frankie laughed. "Of course."

"I assume you want one too?" Allison asked her little sister.

"Oh maybe," Frankie grinned at her.

"With whipped cream?" Allison grinned back.

"Just a little," Frankie said. "Calories, you know."

"We don't worry about calories," Allison nudged her.

"I'll have her whip cream," Emma said.

Allison grinned. "Somehow I thought you would, baby."

"Go for it, Em." Frankie told her.

"Mummy's turnovers are soooo good," Caroline told Mia. "She doesn't make them all the time, but when she does...."

"Can I have one too?" Mia asked.

"Of course," Allison said. "Katie, would you like one too?"

"Just a half," she said. "I'm watching my figure."

"Katie, you have a lovely figure," Allison told her.

"I've noticed that I gained a few stones," Katie replied, making Frankie laugh.

"Where?" Frankie asked. "Katie---"

"Everywhere," Katie tossed her head.

"You are far too young to worry about something like that," Allison told her. "You girls all have lovely figures."

Frankie nodded. "Trust us Katie, you're fine."

Allison served them the turnovers laughed when she caught sight of the look on Adam's face. "You look just like your Daddy, Adam."

"Big one!" Adam pointed. "Big one!"

"He sounds like him too," Frankie said dryly.

Allison gave her sister a look but laughed.

"I made enough to send some home to Nick and Julie and for Jack and Claire," Allison told Katie and Mia.

"My daddy might eat them before my mum sees," Mia said with a grin.

Allison laughed. "It will be our little secret if you do."

"Did you save one for Daddy?" Emma asked.

"I saved two for your Daddy," Allison said.

"Why don't you bring them to him?" Frankie suggested.

"I couldn't leave you here with this many children, Frankie," Allison said.

"I'll be okay for a few minutes," Frankie said.

"We'll help too," Caroline said. "Go ahead, Mummy. Daddy would love that."

"If you're sure," Allison hedged.

"Go," Frankie said with a grin. "I have some great helpers. Right, girls?"

They all nodded. "Go, Mummy!" Emma urged.

Allison grinned. "Okay! Okay! I'll be back in just a few minutes. Thanks so much!"

She quickly wrapped up the turnovers and Apparated to the alley just down the block from the pub.

Victoria was behind the counter with Audrey and the two women smiled when they saw Allison.

"Where's that husband of mine?" Allison asked.

Audrey grinned. "Going over invoices in the office."

"Gave him the fun job, aye?" Allison joked.

"He drew the short straw," Victoria chuckled. "I'm sure he'll be glad to see you."

Allison laughed. "I'll go relieve him of the stress."

She walked through the kitchen to the office Jon and Victoria shared. She knocked softly on the door.

"Come in," Jon said distractedly.

Allison smiled when she saw her husband at the desk, his head in his hands.

"I'm flashing back to the Hogwarts library," Allison said. "You're looking over your potions notes...."

Jon's head popped up. "Al? What are you doing here?"

"I bring you nourishment," Allison said holding out the plate. "My apple turnovers."

Jon nearly salivated as she opened them up. "You're a lifesaver."

Allison grinned. "I made some for the princess meeting and I thought I'd set some aside for you. Frankie offered to sit with the kids while I brought them over."

Jon bit into one. "Just as amazing as they always are."

"That's the same look Adam had on his face when he took a bite," Allison said sitting on the edge of his desk.

"That's my boy," Jon said proudly.

Allison leaned over the desk and gave him a kiss. "How are things going here?"

"Fine," Jon said. "I just got the boring job today."

"The dreaded paperwork," Allison said in a dramatic voice.

"You might like it," Jon said saucily.

"I do the books for my mum's studio," Allison reminded him.

"What if we pretend this is your mum's studio?" Jon said mischievously.

"Why, Jonathan Weasley," Allison said putting her hand to her chest. "Are you asking me to do your books?"

"Maybe," Jon said with a grin.

"Give me the invoices," Allison said. "I'll look at them once everyone leaves."

"You are amazing," Jon said. "Amazing, amazing, amazing."

"You just wait until you get MY invoice," Allison said winking at him.

"That's one bill I'll be happy to pay," Jon said huskily.

Allison gave him one last kiss and then took the folder and ledgers from him. "I'd better get back."

"I'll see you in a few hours," Jon said. "Thanks, Al."

"Don't work too hard," Allison told him.

"Won't have to now," Jon winked at her.

"Love you," Allison said before leaving the pub.

She just missed RJ, Andrew and Saffron coming in for lunch. This was the first time Audrey had seen Saffron since Andrew and Natalia's break-up.

"Hey you," RJ said, grinning at his girlfriend.

"Hey," Audrey said trying to hide her surprise. She knew RJ was coming by, but she had no idea Andrew and Saffron were coming, too.

"Hiya, Audrey," Andrew said, feeling slightly uncomfortable. "Um... you remember Saffron, of course."

"Yes, of course," Audrey said. "It's---it's nice to see you again."

"Hi," Saffron managed a smile. She wondered if this girl hated her because of Natalia.

"Why don't you go and grab a table and I'll bring over some drinks," Audrey suggested. "I--I know what RJ and Andrew usually like, but what about you, Saffron?"

"Um... just some soda would be fine, thank you." Saffron replied.

"I'll be over in a just a few moments," Audrey promised.

Saffron, Andrew and RJ found a booth and sat down.

"I'm not so sure this was a great idea," Saffron said quietly.

"It's fine," RJ assured her. "This gives you two a chance to get to know each other better."

"I hope so," Saffron said.

"Audrey's a great girl," Andrew squeezed her hand.

"With questionable taste in blokes," Saffron said dryly looking at RJ.

RJ nodded. "I knew you were in there somewhere, brat."

Saffron laughed. "Yeah, yeah."

At the counter, Audrey was just about to carry the drinks over to their table when she looked up to see the one person she didn't want to see right now.

"Talia, what are you doing here?" Audrey asked.

Natalia sat down at the bar. "I needed to see a friendly face. Today was my first practise with Andrew since the break-up. It was just so awkward, you know?"

"Right..." Audrey said. "Um... well... I think we're going to get the supper rush... so perhaps we can do something later?"

Natalia nodded. "Of course. I don't mean to unload on you while you're working. You've been such a good friend, Audrey."

"I'll always be your friend, Talia," Audrey promised.

"You're the best," Natalia said smiling at her. "I'll ring you later."

"Sure," Audrey nodded.

"I am kind of hungry though," Natalia said. "Maybe I could get a sandwich and some chips to go?"

"I'll get it right away," Audrey said. "In fact... why don't you just come to the kitchen with me--"

Natalia heard the familiar sound of Andrew's laughter and she turned to see him sitting with Saffron and RJ.

"Oh," Natalia whispered.

"Talia, I'm sorry," Audrey said. "I just didn't think you'd want to see them..."

Natalia nodded. "I---I'm going to go."

"Let me get you some food," Audrey said. "On the house, okay?"

"I'm not hungry anymore," Natalia said before rushing out of the pub.

Andrew looked up just to see his ex girlfriend run out the door.

"What's wrong?" Saffron asked him. "Hmm?"

"Talia was here," Andrew replied.

"Oh," Saffron said quietly.

Andrew sighed. "I don't know what to do about her."

"I wish I could tell you," RJ said. "But---maybe someday you and Natalia can be friends. Look at Lexie and me."

"It's different," Andrew argued.

RJ opened his mouth to respond, but Audrey brought over their drinks.

"Natalia was here," Audrey told them.

"I saw her," Andrew said. "How... how was she?"

"How do you think she was?" Audrey snapped.

Andrew turned red and looked away.

"I'm sorry," Audrey said. "It's just---I tried to get her out of here so she wouldn't see. She's really hurting right now."

"It would have hurt her more if Andrew had stayed with her but been in love with another girl," RJ pointed out.

Audrey sighed. "I know. It's just---she's my friend, RJ."

"I know," RJ told her.

"We never meant to hurt her," Saffron said softly.

Audrey glared at her. "And that makes it okay, does it?"

"I didn't mean it that way," Saffron said quietly.

"This wasn't her fault," Andrew told Audrey. "This was mine."

"This is just too weird," Audrey said.

"It doesn't have to be," RJ said. "Come on. We were going to get to know each other better, remember?"

"I'd really like that," Saffron told Audrey. "I really would. We didn't exactly start out on the right foot but I'd like to change that."

Audrey nodded. "I'd like that too and you seem like a nice girl. I just---I feel like I'm being disloyal to my friend."

"It's going to take awhile, that's all." RJ said.

"I should take your orders," Audrey said. "My break's coming up so I can eat with you guys."

"Great," RJ reached over and squeezed her hand.

After they'd placed their orders, Audrey left them alone for a few moments.

"Thank you," Andrew said putting his arm around Saffron.

"For what?" she asked.

"For doing that," Andrew replied. "None of this is easy."

"I want to be friends with her," Saffron said.

"You actually have a lot in common," RJ said. "She likes to read too. She likes that Shakeshead bloke you like so much."

"Shakespeare," Saffron shook her head. "Honestly, RJ, will you ever learn?"

"Now, you're sounding just like her," RJ said shuddering. "That's scary."

Saffron had to smile at that.

"And she's a good cook," Andrew pointed out.

"Yeah," RJ grinned. "Maybe someday, the two of you could cook for me."

Saffron shook her head. "You could learn a thing or two as well, RJ."

"I have my Nana, my grandfather and Allie," RJ pointed out. "I don't need to cook. They keep me well fed."

"And me," Andrew pointed out dryly.

"He does most of the cleaning too," Saffron pointed out. "RJ, is there anything you do?"

"Look good," RJ answered.

Saffron rolled her eyes. "Andrew's got that one covered too."

"What are you saying, Saf?" RJ poked her side.

Saffron giggled. "You heard!"

RJ was glad to see his friend laugh. And as much as he'd liked Natalia, he knew Andrew and Saffron belonged together.

Audrey came back with a large tray of food.

"Not bad for a Muggle, eh?" Audrey asked expertly holding the tray.

"Not at all," RJ grinned at her.

Audrey balanced the tray on the table edge. "Your triple cheeseburger and chips, RJ."

"You make this?" RJ asked.

Audrey grinned. "Maybe..."

She put a plate of fish and chips in front of Andrew and then set Saffron's club sandwich before her.

"Thank you," Saffron said. "It looks delicious."

Audrey set the tray on an empty table before grabbing her own plate of food. She took the seat opposite Saffron.

"The club sandwich is my favourite too," Audrey admitted. "I think I've eaten about 200 of them since I started here."

"You must be as good a cook as RJ and Andrew said," Saffron said after taking a bite.

Audrey smiled. "Thank you. I've been cooking since I was a kid. I used to beg my mum to let me help her."

"I used to have to cook for mine," Saffron admitted. "She can burn water."

Audrey laughed. "Are you serious?"

"Completely," Saffron nodded. "My dad and I have been cooking dinner for as long as I remember."

"What's your favourite dish to make?" Audrey asked.

"I'm not sure," Saffron said. "Probably lasagne- that's the only thing my mum CAN make."

"We made dinner for her folks the other night," Andrew told Audrey. "She has this recipe for garlic bread that is out of this world."

"And it's top secret," Saffron replied.

"So there's no hope of getting the recipe then?" Audrey asked.

"I'll have to ask the person who taught it to me," Saffron answered. "But I'd be happy to make it for you guys sometime."

"I'd like that," Audrey said sincerely.

Saffron chanced a smile at her.

"Andrew will be crying in his garlic bread when we wipe the sky with him and that group of losers he calls a team," RJ bragged.

"Player of the week," Andrew said. "For the past month."

"Really?" Saffron asked sarcastically. "You really were? Because, I don't believe I'd heard that."

"Just this morning," Andrew said proudly.

"Here we go again," Saffron said laughing.

"Can't handle it, can you?" Andrew asked.

"I can handle it just fine," Saffron said nudging him. "Let's see if you're player of the week after our match."

"Probably will be," Andrew answered.

"RJ said that you were something else on your broom," Audrey said. "He couldn't stop raving about you."

"I do love to fly," Saffron nodded. "I could do it before I could walk."

"Wow," Audrey said. "And you were never scared?"

Saffron shook her head. "Not once."

"She's fearless on a broom," RJ said proudly.

"I'm really looking forward to the first real match," Saffron said.

"The arena is sold out," RJ said.

"Our seeker has been training pretty hard," Andrew told them.

"He'd better," Saffron winked at him.

"He'll give you a tough game," Andrew replied.

"Saf can handle it," RJ said confidently.

"Absolutely," Saffron agreed.

Audrey smiled at her. She admired the other girl's confidence. It was hard not to like her.

"Are you coming?" Saffron asked Audrey.

Audrey nodded. "I'm still trying to learn all the rules, but it really is fun to watch."

"She likes watching me up there most," RJ put his arm around her.

"I do," Audrey leaned against him.

RJ kissed the side of her head.

"What are you studying at university, Audrey?" Saffron asked.

"Literature," Audrey replied.

Saffron smiled. "You're a bookworm, too."

"Like you wouldn't believe," Audrey laughed.

"You're welcome to come over to my house anytime," Saffron told her. "My mum has some first-edition books by Jane Austen. I must have read them all at least 20 times."

"First edition?" Audrey asked in disbelief. "How?"

"She loves to go to old book stores and estate sales," Saffron told her. "And she's found a few over the years that way."

"Who's Jane Austen?" RJ asked. He'd finished his meal and was now eating the chips off of Audrey's plate.

Both Audrey and Saffron rolled their eyes at each other.

"Honestly," Audrey said shaking her head.

"You are so uneducated," Saffron said.

"Is she the one that does all those chick flicks?" RJ asked.

"Merlin," Saffron shook her head. "She's only one of the most amazing authors ever."

This time, RJ rolled his eyes. "Right."

"She is," Audrey replied. "RJ... you won't read anything without pictures."

"That's not true," RJ said defensively. "I read a book the other night that didn't have THAT many pictures."

"Only because I made you," Audrey countered.

"And I read comic books," RJ said.

"Those are ALL pictures," Saffron pointed out.

"It wouldn't hurt you to read some literature every now and then," Audrey said.

"Yeah," Andrew chimed in with a smug grin.

RJ glared at him. "What was the last book you read then?"

"Quidditch Through the Ages," Andrew said promptly.

"Andrew," Saffron chastised him.

"What's wrong with that?" he asked.

"Nothing," Saffron said. "It's a very good book, but you've read that loads of times."

"I always find something new," Andrew replied.

Saffron nudged him. "I guess I can't fault you there."

"Never can," he said with a grin.

"As much fun as this has been," Audrey said looking at her watch. "I should get back to work."

"Do you have to?" RJ caught her hand in his.

"Yes," Audrey said grinning at him. "But I'll come over after my shift."

"What time?" RJ asked.

"Seven?" Audrey asked. "If that's okay?"

"Can't wait," RJ said.

"Thanks for today, Aud," Andrew said.

She nodded. "I'll see you lot later."

"Bye, Audrey," Saffron said.

"I'll see you around, Saffron," Audrey smiled at her.

"I'm going to say hello to Jon before I head out," RJ told them. "I'll catch up with you back at the flat."

"Sounds good," Andrew took Saffron's hand in his. "We'll see you there."

RJ grinned. "And don't worry. Lunch is on me."

"Thanks RJ," Saffron said.

"You ready to go?" Andrew asked his girlfriend.

"Sure," Saffron nodded.

Andrew helped her with her cloak. "Miss Potter."

"Thank you sir," she grinned at him.

He grabbed his own cloak and they walked out of the pub hand in hand.

"So you think she liked me?" Saffron asked him.

"How could she not like you?" Andrew asked. "You're amazing, Saf."

She smiled. "Well yes..."

"I think today was a good start," Andrew said. "You have a lot in common."

"More than I thought," Saffron nodded.

"I just hate that Natalia walked in on this," Andrew said. "No matter what I do, I cause her pain."

"It's a hard situation," Saffron replied softly. "I don't want to hurt her either... but it's going to be difficult for her to see us together for awhile yet."

Andrew nodded. "It was hard for me seeing you with Sean."

Saffron swallowed. "I still feel guilty about Sean."

Andrew pulled her to him. "I didn't mean to bring him up."

"I know," Saffron said, burying her face in his shoulder.

"I love you," Andrew whispered.

"I love you too," Saffron said almost inaudibly.

"I'm here," Andrew said. "And I'm not going anywhere. If you want to talk about it, you can and I'll listen. I'll stand by you no matter what."

His words made tears well up in her eyes. "Thank you Andrew."

Andrew pulled away to look at her. "Why don't we do something fun today? Just you and me."

"Like what?" she asked, wiping her eyes.

Andrew thought for a moment and a slow smile spread across his face as he thought of just the place. "How about somewhere that you're guaranteed to have a good time?"

240. Chapter 240

Authors’ note: Thanks for the reviews you guys! We hope you will enjoy this chapter. It’s a continuation of the Andrew/Saffy scene from last chapter and there’s also an interesting development with Zander/Ashley. Please let us know what you think!

Andrew thought for a moment and a slow smile spread across his face as he thought of just the place. "How about somewhere that you're guaranteed to have a good time?"

"That sounds good to me," Saffron replied.

Andrew gave her a kiss. "Come on then."

Saffron followed him. "Where are we going?"

He led her down the alley where no one could see them. "I'm not going to spoil the surprise."

"Hint?" she asked.

Andrew shook his head. "Close your eyes. I'll Apparate us both there."

"Okay," Saffron said as he pulled her close. She buried her face in his chest and shut her eyes.

A few moments later they arrived in Hogsmeade. "Keep your eyes closed, Potter," Andrew whispered.

"I am," she said softly.

Andrew took her hand and led her down the sidewalk. "Okay...open them."

Saffron took in the sights around her. "Hogsmeade?"

"Hogsmeade," Andrew said with a grin.

"What are we doing here?" she asked, a smile spreading across her face.

"This is where you and I had some of our best times," Andrew said putting his arm around her.

"Yeah," Saffron said, looking at the buildings. "We sure did..."

"You know, I used to sit in The Three Broomsticks and think of ways to get you to talk to me," Andrew said.

"You did?" she asked. "But we were always friends..."

"I thought you were so cute and sassy," Andrew said grinning at her. "But, you just saw me as RJ's dorky friend."

"I never thought you were dorky," Saffron nudged him.

Andrew nudged her back. "I was brilliant. You just didn't notice it because you were too busy snogging RJ."

"That was only twice," Saffron poked him this time.

"I wanted to punch his face in when he told me," Andrew admitted.

"Really?" Saffron asked.

"Mmmhmm," Andrew said as they began to walk. "Absolutely. I'd fancied you for such a long time, but I was too much of a coward to do anything about it and there he is swooping in..."

"How come you never said anything sooner?" Saffron was curious.

Andrew shrugged. "Don't know, really. Because I was an idiot?"

"You're not an idiot," Saffron leaned against him.

"I was," Andrew said. "But not anymore."

"Never," Saffron gave him a kiss.

"So, where do you want to go first?" Andrew asked when they pulled apart.

"Let's start at the Three Broomsticks," Saffron said. "And work our way down."

"Okay," Andrew said taking her hand. "You know, I haven't been here in quite some time."

"Me either," Saffron replied. "Everything seems so changed to me."

Andrew held the door open for her and they stepped inside the warm pub.

"This still looks the same though," Saffron said, glancing around.

"How about I get us some hot chocolate?" Andrew asked.

"That sounds fantastic," Saffron said. "I'll go wait in our favourite booth."

Andrew kissed her on the cheek before heading to the bar.

Saffron watched him go. Having him in her life again made her realise that she was indeed lucky.

"Saffron Potter is that you?" Madam Rosmerta asked tapping her on the shoulder.

Saffron jumped and turned around.

Rosmerta smiled warmly at her. "Oh, sweetheart. I didn't mean to startle you. It's just so good to see you again!"

"Thanks," Saffron smiled at her. "You look lovely as you always did."

Rosmerta laughed. "I'm trying. You are growing up into such a beautiful young woman. Your father was in here just the other day telling me about how proud he was of you."

"He was?" Saffron asked.

Rosmerta nodded. "He was and I understand you have a big match coming up next weekend!"

Saffron nodded. "My first one."

"You're going to be grand," Rosmerta told her.

"I hope so," Saffron said.

Andrew made his way over to the booth carrying their mugs of hot chocolate.

"Andrew Kirke!" Rosmerta exclaimed. She looked over at Saffron. "Are you two back together?"

"Hi Madam Rosmerta," Andrew said with a grin. "Yes we are."

Rosmerta grinned at him. "Well, it's about time. Congratulations!"

"Thank you," Andrew said, setting the mugs down.

"Don't you two be strangers," Rosmerta said smiling at them before she headed back behind the bar.

Andrew grinned at Saffron. "This brings back memories."

"Yes it does," Saffron said softly.

"Good memories," Andrew said, squeezing her hand.

"And now we're making new ones," Saffron said looking into his eyes.

"We sure are," Andrew gave her a gentle kiss.

They sat in companionable silence for a few moments, just enjoying being together. Saffron took a sip of her hot chocolate. "That's as good as I remember it being."

"Without a doubt," he agreed.

"I feel so grown up being here," Saffron laughed. "Does that make sense?"

"You mean it doesn't make you feel like a student again?" he teased.

Saffron shook her head. "No, because I doubt Smelly Old Snape will catch us snogging outside of Honeyduke’s. And even if he did, there's nothing he could do about it."

Andrew snorted back his laughter. "Too bad it's not a Hogsmeade day for Hogwarts when we could test that out."

Saffron giggled and pulled a severe face. "Potter! Kirke! Twenty points from Gryffindor!"

"Yet we always did manage to win the House Cup," Andrew pointed out.

"And wipe the floor with Slytherin," Saffron said raising her mug in triumph.

Andrew laughed. "That's my girl."

"This was a really good idea you had," Saffron said smiling at him. "I needed this."

"I'll do anything I can to make you happy," Andrew told her.

"For the longest time I felt like a part of me was missing," Saffron said. "And now, I feel like I'm getting that back with you."

Andrew put his arm around her.

"You know," Saffron said softly. "Valentine's Day is coming up soon..."

"Yes it is," Andrew nodded.

"Not that I was hinting or reminding you or anything," Saffron grinned.

"Of course not," Andrew said. "Because you know... it's just another day. Nothing special."

"Complete greeting card holiday," Saffron said.

"Right," Andrew replied. "And roses? Completely overrated."

"Absolutely," Saffron said tracing a pattern on the wooden table with her finger. "And don't even get me started on chocolates..."

"We can get those any day of the week," Andrew said, the corner of his mouth turning up.

"It's really kind of hokey when you think about it," Saffron said thoughtfully.

"So in other words, on February 14th, I'd better surprise you with roses, chocolates, and some ridiculous card?" Andrew asked devilishly.

"I was thinking more along the lines of rubies and emeralds," Saffron said cheekily.

He laughed loudly. "I see how it is."

"I was thinking that I could make dinner for us at your place," Saffron said. "And we could enjoy a nice night in..."

"Nice and quiet?" Andrew asked. "Sounds good to me."

"And then you can give me the emeralds and rubies," Saffron said grinning at him.

Andrew shook his head. "The pressure is on."

"And don't you forget it," Saffron said giving him a kiss.

"Never," Andrew kept her lips against his for a moment.

"So where do you want to go next?" Saffron asked. "Honeyduke’s? Weasley's?"

"Honeyduke’s sounds good," Andrew said.

"I'm going to pick up some fudge for my mum even though she's going to say she doesn't need it," Saffron said.

"Mine is the same way," Andrew said.

"Let's go and load up then," Saffron grinned.

"After you," Andrew said, pushing his empty mug away.

Saffron slid out of the booth and put on her cloak and gloves.

Andrew slid his arm around her as they left The Three Broomsticks and headed for Honeyduke’s.

"I also want to pick up something for Chloe, the triplets, and Emma, Caroline and Adam," Saffron said.

"Emma will love that," Andrew chuckled.

"You should have seen her at Christmas when we were at the Burrow," Saffron said smiling at the memory. "She was playing teacher and she told the kids if they didn't get everything right, she would get to eat their dinner."

"What did they say to that?" Andrew asked.

"Adam said she was mean," Saffron laughed. "It was the cutest thing especially hearing the triplets trying to say the alphabet. They're getting so big, Andrew."

"Too big," Andrew agreed.

"And they were so sweet to me when I had my little meltdown," Saffron said quietly. She'd told him about "hearing" Gordon's voice that night.

"They all love you," Andrew said, pulling her closer.

"I love them too," Saffron said. "So much."

"And Chloe has you pinned to a T, Sassy," Andrew grinned.

Saffron grinned back at him. "Mum says I was just like her when I was a kid."

"At least we know she'll turn out well," Andrew gave her a quick kiss.

"And maybe she'll be a great Quidditch player in her own right," Saffron said happily.

"You can train her," Andrew said. "And then I'll have my team come in and sign her."

Saffron nudged him. "No way. She's a Puddlemere girl through and through."

"If you say so," Andrew replied.

"I do," Saffron said walking into Honeyduke’s. Andrew watched his girlfriend and couldn't help smiling at the look on her face. It was good to see her happy.

"It smells SO good in here," Saffron closed her eyes and breathed in deeply.

"Remember how we used to have to physically drag RJ out of here every Hogsmeade weekend?" Andrew asked her.

"Yes," Saffron said. "Only too well."

Saffron loaded up on fudge for her mother, chocolate frogs for her father and picked out sweets for the children. "My dad still collects the cards," Saffron said rolling her eyes. "Boys never grow up, do they?"

Andrew dropped a package of them that he was going to buy. "Uh... not really..." he said sheepishly.

Saffron laughed. "Andrew!"

"They're cool cards!" Andrew said defensively.

"You sound like my dad," Saffron said. "Its okay, Andrew."

"Thanks Mum," Andrew said.

Saffron poked him in the side. "Very funny."

"Have you got enough?" he asked.

"I think so," Saffron said. "I feel like I've gained a stone just being in here."

"In a good way," Andrew patted his stomach.

Saffron laughed. "Very good."

Despite Saffron's protests, Andrew paid for the whole lot.

"You didn't have to do that, you know," Saffron said as they left the sweets shop.

"I wanted to," Andrew replied. "You can owe me later."

Saffron smiled. "Thank you, Andrew. And not just for that. For today..."

"Anytime, Saf." Andrew took her hand.

"I love you," Saffron said squeezing his hand.

"Love you too," he said with a grin.

"Let's go back to yours and snuggle up on the sofa and watch a movie," Saffron said grinning back at him.

"I like that idea," Andrew said. "Told you I'd make this a good day."

"Yes, you did," Saffron said leaning in for a kiss. "And it has been."

"Good," Andrew told her.

Saffron couldn't help but wonder if perhaps things were too good to be true; too perfect. She shook off that feeling though. She and Andrew were at a good place now and she didn't doubt his love for her or her love for him.

"You okay?" he asked her.

Saffron nodded. "I'm fine. Better than fine, actually."

"That's what I like hearing," Andrew said. "Want me to Apparate us both?"

"That'd be nice," Saffron replied with a grin.

"Anything you want," Andrew wrapped his arms around her.

Saffron closed her eyes and rested her head on his chest.

They found themselves in RJ and Andrew's flat moments later. "That sure beats the train," she said.

"And seeing Snape," Andrew said setting their bags down by the door.

"Well that one goes without saying," Saffron said dryly.

"What movie do you want to watch?" Andrew asked her taking her cloak and setting it on the rack by the door.

"You pick something," Saffron said. "I'll make us some popcorn."

"Deal," Andrew said heading for the sitting room.

Saffron still knew where everything in the kitchen was and was reaching into the cupboard for the popcorn when Audrey walked in.

"Oh," Audrey said. "I didn't know you guys were here."

"We just got in," Saffron said. "Um... did you both want to watch a movie and have popcorn with us?"

Audrey shook her head. "That's really nice of you, but we're watching the telly in RJ's room. I just came in here to get us a drink."

"Oh," Saffron nodded.

"Did you have a good day?" Audrey asked conversationally.

"We went to Hogsmeade," Saffron said. "It's the wizarding town near where we went to school," she added at the look on Audrey's face.

Audrey nodded. "I believe I remember RJ mentioning that once or twice."

"It's a really cool place," Saffron replied. "I haven't been there since I graduated."

"That's nice," Audrey said grabbing two glasses from the cupboard.

"Maybe we can find a way to bring you sometime," Saffron replied.

"Maybe," Audrey said getting a pitcher of juice out of the icebox. "I'm sorry about earlier, you know...at the pub. Natalia and I became really close when she was dating Andrew. She really cared about him and I hate to see her so sad."

Saffron nodded. "I understand. I... I really never wanted to hurt her. She was so nice to me on New Year's Eve and I just..."

Audrey held her hand up. "I know. I don't think you're the type of person who would deliberately set out to hurt someone."

Saffron shook her head. "I really do hope that we can be friends despite all this."

Audrey smiled. "I'd like that."

"I'm glad," Saffron smiled back.

Audrey winked conspiratorially at her. "RJ and I are actually watching Sense and Sensibility. Every time he starts to nod off, I poke him in the ribs."

Saffron laughed. "Try right under his arm. Give it a gentle pinch."

"Thank you for that tip," Audrey said picking up their glasses. "I'll see you later, Saffy."

"Later," Saffron replied.

"Everything okay?" Andrew asked a few minutes later when she came into the sitting room with a tray of popcorn and sodas.

"Fine," Saffron said, snuggling next to him. "Couldn't be better."

Andrew grinned. "That's what I like to hear."

*** *** ***

There was a big Potions exam coming up tomorrow and Zander Murray was worried.It was the one class that he wasn't doing well in and he knew he had to get good marks on this exam. Snape seemed to know this and he'd delighted in making Zander look like a complete idiot when it came to potions.

Ashley was supposed to meet with him and Brittany for an emergency study session. The plan was for the three of them to study before dinner. When he walked into the library, he was dismayed to see that he was apparently the first of the three to arrive. He'd thought he'd been late.

Zander set his books down at their usual table and decided to go over his notes while he waited.

He was surprised that he had gotten there before Ashley. Usually she was buried in books by the time he showed up.

Brittany breezed in a few minutes later. "I know. I know. I'm late, but I wanted to freshen up before I came in here."

"You're here before Ash is?" he blurted out.

Brittany stared at him in surprise. "I am?"

"Do you see her here?" Zander gestured.

Brittany rolled her eyes. "No. I just find it hard to believe that we both are here before she is. No need to be so tetchy."

"Sorry," he apologised.

Brittany sat down. "I don't have a good feeling about this exam. Not at all."

"We'll do fine with Ash's help," Zander said.

"You know Snape could really do with some sun and a good scalp treatment," Brittany said thoughtfully. "His hair looks like it hasn't been washed. And he's deathly pale. I mean really, really pale."

"And he smells," Zander added.

Brittany nodded. "He does. I think it's formaldehyde."

Zander laughed. "Nice."

Zander looked up to see Ashley finally walking into the library. He held up his hand to wave, but he noticed she wasn't alone. A third-year Ravenclaw that he knew by face, but not by name, was with her and they were laughing about something.

"You really didn't know the answer to that one?" Ashley was saying as they came into earshot.

"No," he shook his head. "But I covered pretty well, didn't I?"

"Completely," Ashley giggled.

"Who is that?" Zander whispered to Brittany.

"Charlie something or other," Brittany replied.

Ashley caught sight of her friends and smiled. "Hi! I'm sorry I'm late!"

"That's okay," Brittany said. "We just got here too."

"I'll see you later, Ashley," the older boy said. "Thanks again for your help."

"Anytime," Ashley waved.

He gave her a charming smile before sauntering off. Zander glared at his retreating back.

"He's cute," Brittany said. "How do you know him?"

Ashley set her bag down on the table and started taking out her books. "Charlie?"

"Yeah! And he's a THIRD year!" Brittany widened her eyes. "Are you two going out?"

"Miss Murray, would you please keep it down?" Madam Pince hissed at her. "This is a library!"

"Sorry," Brittany said, lowering her voice to a whisper.

"It's scary how she comes out of nowhere like that, isn't it?" Ashley whispered.

"Totally," Brittany agreed.

"So where did we want to start?" Ashley asked.

"I want to start with how you know hot third years," Brittany whispered.

"She means with studying," Zander said sharply.

"Honestly, it's nothing," Ashley told her friends. "I was helping Professor Sprout and she was holding detention for some of her students. She asked him a question and I might have whispered the answer to him."

"But still," Brittany said. "He's soooooo cute."

"Doesn't sound like he's too smart," Zander muttered. "And he's in Ravenclaw. I guess the Sorting Hat got THAT one wrong..."

"Zander it was just one answer," Ashley opened her book.

"He's coming back over," Brittany whispered grinning at her friend.

"What?" Ashley straightened up.

Charlie came up behind her and tapped her on the shoulder. "A token of my gratitude..."

Ashley turned around and looked up at him and grinned when she saw he was holding a package of chocolates. "Charlie..."

"Just a little thank you," he said, grinning at her.

"Thank you," Ashley blushed. "I really didn't do anything."

"You got me out of Sprout's detention with that answer," Charlie said gratefully.

"I was happy to help," Ashley said grinning back at him. "Um, Charlie. These are my best friends, Zander Murray and his cousin, Brittany."

"Hey guys," Charlie nodded to them.

"It's a pleasure to meet you," Brittany smiled at him.

"Hi mate," Charlie said when Zander didn't say anything.

"Charlie was telling me that he's on the Ravenclaw Quidditch team," Ashley told Zander, who just grunted in response. "Zander's going to try out next year for our house team, Charlie."

"Good luck," Charlie said, sitting down next to Ashley. "Quidditch is tough, but it's a lot of fun."

"Maybe you could give Zander some pointers," Ashley suggested.

"I don't need pointers," Zander muttered. "Thanks anyway."

Charlie shrugged. "No problem, mate."

"I love Quidditch," Brittany said.

Zander looked at his cousin. "You hate Quidditch."

"Shut up Zander," Brittany hissed.

"You talk all the time about how boring and barbaric it is and you complained all winter when we'd make you watch the matches with us because it was too cold," Zander reminded her.

"I hate you," Brittany glared at him.

Charlie and Ashley laughed.

"We should really get started," Zander mumbled looking pointedly at Charlie. "If you'll excuse us..."

"We really have to study for our potions exam," Ashley said. "But I'm sure I'll talk to you later."

"You can count on it," Charlie said offering her another charming smile before he stood up. "Nice meeting you both."

"You too," Brittany said with a grin.

"I can't believe he gave me chocolates," Ashley said blushing.

"That's so sweet," Brittany gushed.

"That's so lame," Zander muttered.

"Why is it lame?" Ashley asked.

Zander hadn't realised he'd actually said that out loud. "Um, we should really get started."

Brittany snorted. She knew why her cousin was upset.

"Right," Ashley said. "This one is going to be a killer."

"For us, anyway," Brittany said. "Snape loves you. You'll probably pass without even taking it."

Ashley shook her head. "Brit, I have to study, too."

"We're just glad we have you to help us out," Zander said.

"We'd both be failing without you," Brittany agreed.

Ashley shook her head. "You two would be fine."

"I don't think so," Zander said. "I probably would have mixed the wrong ingredients a long time ago and blew up the potions lab..."

Ashley giggled. "That would be a sight."

"He very nearly did our first year," Brittany giggled. "I've never seen Snape move so fast!"

"He moves fast only when it comes to giving detention," Zander grumbled.

Ashley nodded. "I know he's been hard on you, Zander. But, just imagine the look on his face when you ace this exam."

Zander had to smile at that. "Good point."

Brittany looked at her potions notes. "It says here that we should read and go over Chapter Three of Organic Potions. Do you have that book?"

Ashley shook her head. "I was going to check a copy out today."

"I'll go and see if I can find three copies," Brittany offered. "I'll be right back."

"Thanks Brit," Ashley said.

"No problem," Brittany said. "Don't start without me!"

"Never," Zander deadpanned.

Ashley was looking over her notes and she could feel Zander looking at her. She looked up and smiled at him. "You okay?"

"Fine," he shrugged. "Why?"

"You just looked a little preoccupied," Ashley said.

"Studying, you know?" Zander replied.

"You're going to do great," Ashley reassured him. "I know you will."

He shrugged again. Zander couldn't help but stare at how pretty she was, especially tonight. Her cheeks were flushed just a bit and he couldn't help but remember New Year's Eve.

They'd agreed to act like it hadn't happened, but the truth was, he'd thought about it nearly every single day from the moment it had happened.

"You sure you're okay?" Ashley asked.

"Fine," Zander replied. "So---um, you and that Charlie bloke..."

It was Ashley's turn to shrug. "I don't think he even knew who I was until tonight."

"You think the two of you will be ...you know, friends now?" Zander asked.

"I don't know," Ashley said thoughtfully. "Maybe."

"He's older than we are," Zander pointed out. "And you know he's in another house..."

"Only by a year," Ashley said. "And Ravenclaw..."

"And he's obviously a troublemaker," Zander said. "I mean, he was in detention."

"Zander," Ashley gave him a look. "He was working in a group that was playing around in class. Sprout gave them all detention. He wasn't really doing anything wrong."

"Oh," Zander said frowning. "Right."

"He's really nice," Ashley told him. "You'd like him."

"Yeah, maybe," Zander mumbled.

Brittany came back over with three copies of the book. "We're lucky these were the last three left on the shelf!"

"Great," Ashley said. "Thanks Brit."

They each read the chapter and then went over what they'd read. Ashley started making flash cards to help them out.

"I don’t' get why you can't just add the ragweed at the beginning," Zander said in frustration.

"If you do, it will cause a chemical reaction that could burn the skin," Ashley told him.

"But wouldn't it do the same thing if you add it later?" he asked.

Ashley shook her head. "Potion-making is a precise science, Zander. You have to follow the instructions to the letter. By waiting, you allow the liquid to settle."

"I just hope I can remember that," Zander said.

"You will," Ashley said, reaching across the table and giving his arm a squeeze.

Zander turned red at her touch.

"I'm not going to let you fail," Ashley said.

"Thanks," Zander mumbled.

Brittany stifled a yawn. "How much longer do we have to go over this?"

"Until you both get it," Ashley told her.

"Right," Brittany said resting her chin on her palm. "This is soooooo boring."

"But you've got to know it," Ashley insisted.

"I know," Brittany grumbled. "So what's next?"

"One more chapter," Ashley said. "And we can use these flashcards."

"Right," Zander said looking at his notes. "Forgetfulness potions...."

Ashley grinned. "Just what we need tonight."

Zander laughed. "I've got news for Snape; I don't need a potion to make me forget things. I do fine all on my own."

"Prove otherwise," Ashley told him.

"I will," Zander vowed.

"You too," Ashley said to Brittany.

"I am always fabulous," Brittany said dramatically.

"Of course you are," Ashley teased as Charlie stood up from across the room and waved to her.

Ashley waved back and Zander and Brittany turned to see the person she was waving to. Zander rolled his eyes.

"He is SO, so cute," Brittany said. "If I didn't have Evan..."

Ashley blushed. "Brit..."

"You're so lucky," Brittany said. "An older guy..."

"By one year," Zander snapped at his cousin. "And it's not as if they're dating, Brit! For Merlin's sake, they just met each other today!"

Both girls stared at him in shock.

"Sorry," Zander said hastily.

"What on earth is your problem?" Brittany asked. "You've been in a mood all night."

"I'm just really worried about this test," Zander replied. "And I wish you'd stop interrupting our studying to gush over some bloke, Brit. If our exam was on Charlie the Ravenclaw, I'm sure you'd get top marks."

"Whatever," Brittany huffed.

"So, flash cards," Ashley said holding them up, eager to change the subject.

Brittany took them. "I'll probably benefit more from these than that stupid book."

They took turns going through the flash cards, with Brittany testing first Ashley and then Zander.

"You got it!" Ashley said delightedly. "Both of you!"

"Both of them, rather...

Zander was a little surprised at that given how he kept thinking of Charlie the Ravenclaw and what cliff he'd like to push him and his perfect face off of.

"I'll test you now, Brit," Ashley said, taking the cards.

"Bring it on," Brittany said confidently.

Ashley giggled. "Right."

Brittany missed a few of the questions, but did well for the most part.

"We'll go over it again at breakfast," Ashley promised. "Just the ones you missed, Brit."

"That sounds good," Brittany said gathering up her books. "Thanks, Ash."

"Finally," Zander grumbled.

"It wasn't too bad, see?" Ashley asked them.

"Just took forever," Zander said.

"And a day," Brittany giggled.

The library was closing so Ashley stacked the books she wanted to check out. "I'll be right back," she told her friends.

Brittany promised they'd wait for her and she nudged her cousin once they were alone. "You are so transparent, Zander Murray. You are jealous."

"Shut up," Zander said.

"I was only teasing her," Brittany said. "If you fancy her, though. You should say something. Because if you don't, someone like Charlie might just get there before you do."

"She doesn't think of me that way," Zander muttered.

"She thinks you're great," Brittany told him. "She's always telling me about how fantastic you are and how talented you are."

"I guess," Zander said.

"Just think about it," Brittany said seriously. "The best relationships start from friendships, right?"

"How would I know?" Zander asked.

Brittany rolled her eyes. "Boys..."

"Are you both ready?" Ashley asked.

"I can carry those for you, Ashley," Zander offered.

"Thanks Zander," Ashley smiled as she let him take the stack of books. She packed up the rest of her things, including the box of chocolate Charlie had given her.

"Zander, that jumper really looks good on you," Brittany said. "Doesn't it, Ash?"

"It's just my uniform jumper, Brit," Zander said, wondering what his cousin was doing.

"It looks very nice," Ashley replied.

Zander blushed. "Really?"

"Sure," Ashley nodded.

"Thanks," Zander said suddenly feeling much better.

"We should get back before curfew," Ashley said. "We don't want to get caught by Peeves or Snape."

"Right," Zander said leading the way out of the library.

The three of them headed up to their dormitory when Charlie stopped them.

"You lot heading up to bed?" Charlie asked warmly.

Ashley nodded. "Yeah. We've been studying hard for the past few hours."

"Someone as smart as you shouldn't have to study for hours," Charlie said smoothly.

Ashley blushed. "Well... a refresher never hurts."

"Good luck on your exam, Miss Malfoy," Charlie said grinning at her.

"Thanks," Ashley smiled back. "I guess I'll... see you tomorrow..."

"Count on it," Charlie said winking at her. "Night."

"Bye," Ashley blushed even harder.

"'Count on it'," Zander mimicked Charlie. "Who is he? He sounded like he was picking you up in a pub or something!"

"He was just being nice," Ashley defended him.

"Whatever," Zander said leading the way up the staircase to Gryffindor Tower.

"Why is he so upset?" Ashley asked once she and Brittany were getting ready for bed.

"Ashley," Brittany said in exasperation. "You know why he's upset!"

"No I don't," Ashley shook her head.

"Well, let's see," Brittany said. "He thinks the sun rose and set where you stand. So, I imagine he doesn't like it when someone else comes along and seems to feel the same way."

"Zander doesn't think of me that way," Ashley denied. "And Charlie's just being nice."

"Mmmhmm," Brittany said shaking her head.

"What are you saying, Brit?" Ashley asked.

"I'm saying that you and Zander are driving me crazy," Brittany said reaching for her hairbrush.

Ashley's eyebrows knit together. "I don't mean to drive you crazy..."

"I know you don't," Brittany reassured her.

"But how are we making you crazy?" Ashley asked.

"I can't say," Brittany said remembering that she'd promised her cousin she wouldn't tell Ashley.

"I don't get it," Ashley was confused.

"It's not my place to tell you this," Brittany said. "Just...you and Zander are my two best friends. I would do anything for either one of you."

"Thanks..." Ashley pulled the covers back on her bed.

"I know I give him a hard time," Brittany said slipping into her own bed. "But he's like a brother to me and I want him to be happy."

"I do too," Ashley replied.

"Good night, Ash," Brittany said.

"Night," Ashley said, turning onto her side.

She thought about New Year's Eve and that kiss they'd shared.

It hadn't been a bad kiss, but Ashley hadn't liked how awkward she felt afterwards.

Zander was her best friend and she didn't want anything to get in the way of that.

*** *** ***

241. Chapter 241

Authors’ note: We hit a milestone this week. It’s been 3 years since we posted the first chapter of Last Dance. We cannot believe it has been going on this long! We hope you all enjoy the next chapter! Thank you so much for reading!!!!!!

Maddie had brought Kiera over to visit with Darla, hoping to cheer her older sister up. She'd been so down since everything had happened with Hans, and according to Drew, the two hadn't talked in a few weeks now.

"I can't get over how big she's getting," Darla said looking down in the pram at her niece.

"Growing too fast for me," Maddie said. "And for Ethan."

"Can I hold her?" Darla asked.

"Of course you can," Maddie replied.

Darla grinned and gingerly picked up Kiera. "Hello, Miss Kiera."

Kiera let out a soft coo, her eyes fixated onto her aunt's.

"I know I'm biased but she is absolutely gorgeous," Darla said softly.

"If you're biased what does that make me?" Maddie joked.

"Good point," Darla said sitting down with the baby. "So, tell me. How has she been doing? Sleeping through the night?"

"Most of the time," Maddie nodded. "She's an absolute dream."

"That's because she's an angel," Darla said looking down at her niece. This was just what the doctor ordered.

"That she is," Maddie nodded, sitting down.

"I'm so glad you came over today," Darla told her sister.

"We wanted to cheer you up," Maddie said.

"Just like you did when we were kids," Darla smiled at her. "Thanks, Maddie."

"Anytime," Maddie smiled at her sister. "I hate that you're so unhappy."

"Apparently my husband could care less," Darla said looking down at Kiera who was squirming. She wanted to turn her head in the direction of Darla's stomach.

"I think he cares," Maddie said thoughtfully. "I think he just doesn't... get it."

"That's it in a nutshell," Darla said nodding. "He doesn't get it at all."

"I bet he'll come around," Maddie said softly.

"I hope so," Darla said. "You know mum and dad have been so great letting me stay here."

"They're the greatest," Maddie said as Kiera again tried to turn her body. "What is it, angel?" she asked.

Darla laughed. "I don't know, but she really wants to be on her side apparently..."

"She does like to sleep that way..." Maddie's voice died off as Kiera turned and stared straight into her eyes.

Darla caught the look on her sister's face. "Mads?"

Maddie didn't respond for a moment.

Darla wondered if her sister was having another vision.

"Dar..." Maddie finally said softly. "You... you're..."

"I'm what?" Darla asked, concern etched across her face. "Maddie, you're starting to freak me out."

"Pregnant..." Maddie whispered.

Darla gaped at her sister. "What? Maddie---"

"I don't know," Maddie said. "I mean... Kiera... it's like she... told me or something. All of a sudden I knew what my baby was thinking!"

Darla raised an eyebrow. "Maddie, how could you know what she's thinking? I mean, I know when you were pregnant with her, you could hear what she was hearing, but---"

"It's just like she knew," Maddie said. "That's why she kept looking at your stomach."

Darla shook her head. "This isn't possible. Hans and I haven't seen each other in weeks."

"It's a few months," Maddie said, touching her sister's stomach.

Kiera cooed happily at this.

"I-I can't be," Darla shook her head again. "Not now...”

"Get a test," Maddie gripped her free hand. "Then you'll know for sure."

Darla looked down at her niece trying to take all of this in. She knew that Maddie and Kiera had unique gifts, but there was no possible way this could be true. Maddie must have heard wrong or something.

"I'll go get you one right now," Maddie said. "Darla--"

Darla nodded wordlessly.

"It'll be okay," Maddie reassured her.

"I'll watch Kiera," Darla said barely noticing her sister grab her bag and cloak and rush out the door.

She stared back down at her niece. "Kiera... how do you know?" she asked in a nearly inaudible voice.

Kiera reached her little hand toward Darla's stomach.

Tears filled Darla's eyes as Kiera's tiny fingers came into contact with her shirt.

"A baby?" Darla asked in a voice barely above a whisper.

Kiera cooed softly.

"Sweetheart, do you and Maddie want some tea?" Luna asked coming into the sitting room from the kitchen. "Darla? Darla?"

"What?" Darla asked.

"I wanted to know if you wanted some tea," Luna asked coming around the sofa to get a better look at her daughter. "Sweetheart, are you okay? You look like you've just seen a ghost."

"I think I might be pregnant," Darla said hoarsely.

Again, Kiera let out a soft coo.

"Pregnant?" Luna asked taken aback.

"It's like she knew," Darla looked down at her niece. "She kept looking at my stomach. She touched it with her hand..."

"Kiera," Luna said softly.

"What if I am?" Darla asked. "Mum, what if I'm going to have a baby?"

Luna sat down beside her daughter. "If you are, you're not going to be alone, love. You have your family to support you and I know that you're going to be a great mum."

Tears welled up in Darla's eyes again.

"Oh, sweetheart," Luna said softly. "Everything's going to be fine."

"It feels like it'll never be fine again," Darla said, holding Kiera closer.

Maddie hurried back inside the house carrying a paper bag. "I bought three at the chemist's down the street."

"I uh..." Darla managed. "I'll just..."

"I'll send for Drew," Luna said knowing that Darla would want her twin.

"Thanks," Darla said, giving Kiera back to Maddie.

"We'll be right here," Maddie promised.

"Thanks," Darla said quietly.

Maddie watched her sister go upstairs. Her heart went out to Darla.

Luna picked up the phone and rang Drew's number at the office.

"Weasley Weddings," Drew answered.

"Drew," Luna replied. "It's Mum. Darla needs to see you straightaway. Can you come?"

"Is she okay?" Drew asked. "Did something happen with Hans?"

"She's fine," Luna told her. "But she'd really like you here. I'll explain when you arrive."

"I'll be there in a flash," Drew hung up.

"Mum," Maddie said. "Can you believe this? Kiera knew. She just knew. I heard her tell me."

"I believe you, love." Luna replied. "You two share a very, very special bond."

"She's so amazing," Maddie said softly.

Luna put an arm around her daughter. "Yes she is."

Maddie kissed her daughter's soft cheek. "My Kiera."

Drew came rushing in. "What's going on?"

Maddie told her sister what had happened. "So she's upstairs taking the tests right now."

"Oh my..." Drew said. "I'm going up to sit with her.

"We'll be here," Luna said giving her daughter's hand a squeeze.

"We'll let you know as soon as we find anything out."

Drew hurried upstairs and knocked on the bathroom door. "Dar? It's me."

"Drew?" Darla asked. "Come in..."

"Hey," Drew said opening the door. "How are you?"

"Drew," Darla was crying. "What if I'm pregnant?"

Drew wrapped her arms around her sister. "Sweetie, everything will be okay."

"I took all the tests," Darla said. "I just have to wait..."

Drew nodded. "I'll wait with you."

"Thanks," Darla said gratefully, squeezing her twin's hand.

"If you are," Drew said. "Are you going to tell Hans?"

"I don't know what I'm going to do yet," Darla answered.

"I'll be here for you no matter what," Drew promised, resting her head on Darla's shoulder.

"I know," Darla said.

The timer that Darla had set went off and she looked at her sister. "Oh..."

"Look at it," Drew said. "You'll feel better when you find out one way or the other."

Darla's hands were shaking as she walked over to the counter and picked up the first test.

Drew watched her sister as she stared at the tiny stick. "Dar?"

"The---first one is positive," Darla stammered.

"Oh Dar..." Drew breathed.

"I'm going to check the other two," Darla said stoically. "The instructions said you can sometimes get false positives."

"Of course," Drew nodded.

Darla looked at the second stick and saw the same positive sign.

"The third is positive too," Drew came up to her sister's side.

"Oh Merlin," Darla said nearly collapsing. "Drew, what am I going to do?"

"You're having a baby, Dar." Drew hugged her sister to her.

"That I'm going to raise alone," Darla said quietly. She was still trying to process this.

"You don't know that," Drew brushed her twin's hair back.

"He can't admit he has a wife," Darla sobbed. "What would they think about a baby?"

"They're going to have to face this," Drew said. "Hans especially. You have to tell him, Dar."

Darla nodded. "I don't even know how, Drew."

"I'll help you," Drew said. "However I can."

"You want to pose as me and go tell him for me?" Darla asked with a slight laugh.

"You know I would if I could," Drew told her.

Drew gave her sister another hug. "Kiera was right."

"That's amazing," Darla wiped her eyes. "An infant..."

"I wonder if she could hear the baby," Drew said thoughtfully. "We should ask Maddie."

"Maybe," Darla said, rubbing at her eyes. "I can't believe this. I've had no signs at all. No morning sickness, nothing..."

"Count your blessings," Drew said. "You remember how bad I was with Chloe?"

"Yeah," Darla managed a slight smile.

"The toilet and I were on a first-name basis with each other," Drew remembered. "I think I spent my entire first trimester in the loo."

"That might still happen," Darla said. "I... I should go see Lizzy or something."

Drew nodded. "Let's go downstairs and tell Mum and Maddie."

Darla nodded, following her sister out of the loo.

"Well?" Luna asked expectantly when her twin daughters entered the sitting room.

"I'm pregnant," Darla said softly.

Luna smiled. "Oh, sweetheart!"

"I don't know what to think just yet," Darla avoided all their eyes.

"It's a lot to take in," Maddie said. "But we're all here for you."

"Thanks," Darla said. "And... I'm sorry- I shouldn't have been so quick to doubt your gift, Maddie."

"Its okay," Maddie said giving her a hug.

"Speaking of which, what exactly happened there?" Drew asked. "You heard Kiera's thoughts?"

"In a way..." Maddie replied. "It was more or less... a sensation, and then a sudden knowledge. It's never happened before."

"Extraordinary," Drew said looking at her niece who was in Luna's arms, but whose eyes were focused on Darla's still flat stomach.

"It's really quite amazing," Luna gazed down adoringly at her granddaughter.

"Think she can tell me if it’s a boy or a girl?" Darla asked dryly.

"I think we'll have to wait and see, for now." Maddie answered.

Darla put her head in her hands. "I'm scared to death, Mum."

"Its okay, baby," Luna passed Kiera back to Maddie and went to comfort her daughter.

"It's not that I'm not happy," Darla said hugging her mother tightly. "Hans and I talked about starting a family one day."

"You'll need to tell him, sweetheart." Luna said softly.

"It's not something I could tell him over the phone or in a letter," Darla said quietly.

"Of course not," Luna said. "We'll get him to come back here."

"How?" Darla asked her.

"We'll ring him and tell him you have to talk to him," Drew said. "He'll come rushing back."

Darla shook her head. "I'll ring him."

"Shall I stay with you then?" Drew asked.

"I'd like that," Darla said. She picked up the telephone, not really caring what time it was in the States right now. She dialled Hans' mobile number.

Her hopeful expression fell after a moment. "Voicemail."

"Leave a message," Drew urged. "Tell him you have to see him straightaway."

Darla opened her mouth but then put the phone down. "I can't."

"I can do it," Drew offered.

Darla shook her head. "I'm not ready to tell him. Not yet."

Drew put her arm around her sister. "Darla, you'll have to tell him."

"I will," Darla said. "Just not now."

"Whenever you're ready," Maddie said nodding.

"Why don't I go see if Lizzy's free?" Luna asked. "I'm sure she'd be able to fit you in."

"That'd be great, Mum," Darla said gratefully.

"I'll be right back," Luna patted her back then Flooed out.

Kiera held out her hands like she wanted to go to Darla.

"Oh, baby," Darla carefully took her niece. "You've turned my world around you know that?"

Kiera cooed happily at her.

"She's trying to cheer you up," Maddie said fondly.

"Just like her mum," Darla said smiling at her sister. "Thank you for what you did for me today, Maddie."

"I'm here for you, Darla," Maddie told her.

"We all are," Drew said as the phone rang. "I'll get that..."

Darla sat down again with Kiera in her arms. "Guess I need to practise this."

Maddie smiled. "She's happy to help."

Drew covered the receiver with her hand. "Dar? It's Hans."

"What?" Darla squeaked.

"He said he was checking his messages and noticed that he had a missed call," Drew whispered. "Do you want to talk to him?"

"No," Darla said, panicking.

Drew looked at her sister. "I can tell him to come home..."

Darla shook her head emphatically.

Drew nodded and uncovered the receiver. "Hans? She--she doesn't want to talk to you."

"She obviously wanted to talk to me earlier," Hans said. "She called..."

"She'll talk to you when she's ready." Drew told him.

"I'd really like to speak with her now," Hans said trying to keep his temper in check. "Come on. This is the first time she's contacted me in days."

Drew sighed. "Dar? He really wants to speak to you."

Darla looked over at Maddie who nodded encouragingly. She held out her hand for the phone.

"Hans?" she asked quietly.

"Darla," Hans said softly. "Why didn't you leave a message on my voicemail?"

"Why bother?" she asked.

"Because we're still married," Hans replied. "And I love you. I just woke up actually. Babe, I've missed you so much."

"Then why haven't you rung?" she whispered.

"Would you have taken my calls?" Hans asked her.

"I don't know," Darla said truthfully.

"Well, you called a few minutes ago," Hans said. "What did you want to talk about?"

Darla was silent.

"Dar?" Hans asked.

"I can't talk to you on the phone," Darla said.

"I can come to you," Hans offered.

"If you're not busy," Darla closed her eyes.

"I just need to take a shower and get dressed," Hans said. "I'll see you in a few minutes, alright?"

"I guess," Darla replied, butterflies fluttering in her stomach.

"I'll see you then," Hans said before hanging up the phone.

Darla let out a breath. "He's coming. Here."

Drew gave her sister's hand a squeeze. "That's good, isn't it?"

"I don't know," Darla shook her head.

"You can tell him," Drew told her.

Darla didn't respond.

"And if Mum's able to get you in to see Lizzy, the two of you can go together," Maddie said.

Darla's hands trembled as she combed her fingers through her hair.

Hans arrived about a half hour later, his hair still damp from his shower. "This must be serious," he said to Drew as she led him into the sitting room. "The sisters are here."

Maddie nodded to him. "Hello, Hans."

"Hi," Hans said offering her a slight smile. "Is that Kiera? She's really grown since the last time I saw her."

Maddie nodded. "She has."

"Maddie, how about you and I take Kiera in the kitchen?" Drew suggested. "So we can give these two a chance to talk."

"I think she's due for a feeding," Maddie nodded.

"Thanks," Darla told her sisters.

Drew squeezed her twin's hand. "Good luck," she whispered.

Hans looked at his wife. "You look great, Dar."

"Thanks," Darla said, wrapping her arms around herself.

"Your dad and brothers aren't here waiting to ambush me, are they?" Hans asked.

"No," Darla said. "None of them are home."

"This was a good day for you to call actually," Hans said. "I have the first day off I've had since this whole whirlwind began."

"That's nice," Darla said tightly.

"Not that I wouldn't have come otherwise," Hans said hastily.

"Right," Darla said, getting up and walking across the room.

"So, how have you been?" Hans asked.

Darla shook her head and opened her mouth as Luna tumbled back through the fireplace.

Luna dusted herself off and didn't see Hans. "Good news, Darla. Lizzy can see you at one."

"Lizzy?" Hans rose to his feet. "Dar- are you sick?"

Luna paled. "Hans? I-I didn't see you there."

"He just got here," Darla said quietly.

"Darla, answer me," Hans said. "Are you sick?"

"Not exactly," Darla hedged.

"I'll---I'll just go in the other room," Luna said giving her daughter a hug.

Hans watched his mother in law leave. "Dar..."

"Do you remember Christmas Eve?" Darla asked him.

"What about it?" Hans asked.

"That was such a great night," Darla remembered. "I remember thinking that it couldn't get any better than that. You and me in our home, as close as could be."

"We can have that again, Dar." Hans crossed the room to her.

"As long as I keep quiet about who I really am, right?" Darla asked.

"Darla come on," Hans said. "Is this why I rushed over here?"

"What if it wasn't just me in the picture, Hans?" Darla asked him angrily. "Hmm? What if we had children? Would we have to lie about them, too?"

Hans was confused. "What?"

"What if you and I had a little boy or a little girl," Darla asked. "Would we have to pretend they didn't exist, too?"

"We don't have a kid, though," Hans was still confused.

Darla rolled her eyes. "Hypothetically, Hans. If we did, what would you do?"

"I don't know," he said honestly. "I haven't thought that far ahead, Darla."

"Of course you haven't," Darla said angrily.

Hans raked his hands through his hair. "I just can't ever say anything right, can I?"

"You just don't get it, do you?" Darla asked.

"Apparently not," Hans stared back at her.

"I'm your wife and I need you now more than ever," Darla said meeting his gaze.

"I need you too," Hans replied.

"It hasn't seemed like it lately," Darla said looking away.

"That's why we need to talk," Hans said. "Not argue- but talk."

"I agree," Darla said, sitting back down. "There's something you need to know."

"Tell me," Hans said.

Darla thought for a few moments about what she would say. "Maddie brought Kiera over to cheer me up. We were having a great time actually, but Kiera wanted to turn on her side so she could look at my stomach..."

Hans nodded, wanting her to continue.

"Maddie started acting kind of strange too," Darla told him. "I didn't know what was happening, but apparently, Maddie was able to hear Kiera's thoughts...."

"And?" he pressed.

"There's a reason why Kiera was looking at my stomach," Darla said softly. "She was communicating with the baby."

Hans started to shake his head but froze. "Baby?"

"Baby," Darla said nodding.

"You're having a baby?" he asked.

"I took three tests," Darla told him. "They were all positive."

Hans was speechless

"That was my reaction too," Darla admitted.

"When?" Hans asked.

"I don't know," Darla said. "But, I'm thinking the baby was conceived on Christmas Eve since that was the last time we were together."

"Wow," Hans shook his head.

"This is a lot sooner than we planned," Darla said.

"Yeah..." Hans said. "You... you're sure?"

"Not entirely," Darla said. "I guess when I see Lizzy she can confirm it."

"I'll go with you," Hans said immediately.

"You don't have to," Darla protested.

"I want to," Hans replied.

"I don't want to go through this alone," Darla admitted.

"You won't have to," he promised, reaching for her hand.

"I'm scared," Darla whispered.

"Me too," he admitted.

Darla allowed him to hold her. "I can't believe this is happening."

"It's going to be okay," he said, burying his face in her hair.

"How?" Darla asked. "It's going to be hard to hide a baby, Hans."

"I don't know what we'll do yet," Hans said. "But let's take it one step at a time..."

Darla pulled away from him. "You're more worried about your career!"

"I am not," he denied.

Darla glared at him. "I know you and I know how your mind works, Hans. That was your first thought. You were worried about how to explain that to your bloody agent!"

"Darla," Hans was exasperated. "I was not! This is freaking me out, okay? And not because of my career- this is the biggest thing to EVER happen to me!"

"It's the biggest thing to ever happen to me too!" Darla shot back. "And I don't look forward to going through it alone, thank you very much!"

"I never said you'd have to!" Hans snapped/

Darla put her head in her hands. "I'm sorry. I know you're just as freaked out as I am."

Hans softened his tone. "I'll figure something out Dar. I promise."

"I can't do this by myself," Darla said looking at him with tears in her eyes. "I can't."

"You won't have to," Hans reached for her. "I'm going to be there for you. For the baby."

"Promise?" Darla asked in a small voice.

"I promise," Hans said softly.

"Oh, Hans," Darla said allowing him to hold her again. "A baby..."

"I can't believe it," he shook his head.

"This was the last thing in the world I expected to be dealing with," Darla said softly.

"Me too," he said honestly.

Darla looked at him. "Oh… what if it's twins? Or triplets? They run in my family, you know..."

"Then we'll make do," Hans said.

"Joshie always looks like he needs more sleep," Darla said, standing up and starting to pace. "I used to laugh when I saw him. Oh, Merlin! Do you think that means we're going to have quadruplets? I--I couldn't----"

"Let's find out for sure, first," Hans said.

"Right," Darla said nodding. "No...no need to wig out now."

"Not yet," he said, touching her cheek.

"I'm really glad you're here," Darla said.

"I'm glad you rang me," he said.

"I couldn't leave a message," Darla told him sheepishly. "That's not something you can break on the phone."

"I would have come even if I was on a shoot," he said. "I thought something had happened to you."

"You really would have come?" Darla asked.

"Yes," he said. "I would have."

Darla wanted to believe him. But, so much had happened; she wasn't sure what to think. Then again, he was here now and she didn't want any hostility between them. "So, what have you been up to? This is really the first day off you've had?"

"Yeah," he admitted. "I've been running back and forth between New York and LA."

"Los Angeles, too?" Darla asked.

He nodded. "It's been mad."

"I--I saw your pictures in OK magazine," Darla said quietly. "You were with that model, Katya."

"They like pairing us up," Hans shrugged.

"She's beautiful," Darla said looking away.

"Not like you," Hans said.

Darla laughed. "Hans, in case you haven't noticed, I'm not getting paid to show my face. I don't have legs that go up to there..."

"Do you know how much makeup she has on?" Hans asked. "How much airbrushing they do on her legs to make them look like that?"

"You're just saying that to make me feel better," Darla argued.

"No I'm not," Hans said. "She has all these veiny... things... all over her legs. They can't even cover them up with makeup."

"She has varicose veins?" Darla asked, trying not to smile at this.

"Whatever they're called," Hans shook his head.

Darla couldn't help laughing.

"You have no reason to be jealous of her," Hans said.

"I wasn't jealous," Darla protested. "...much."

Hans tucked her hair behind her ear. "No reason to be," he said again.

"You did leave me in a dressing room to go run off to a party with her," Darla said, pouting.

"Dar--" he began.

Darla started to cry again, wondering if it was the hormones that were making her so emotional.

"What is it?" he asked, concerned.

"I was just remembering that night," Darla admitted.

"I shouldn't have left you," he told her. "It was a stupid decision on my part."

Darla looked up at him. Was he finally getting it? She threw her arms around him and held him tightly.

"I love you, sweetheart," he said.

"I love you too," Darla whispered.

"Come on," he said. "Let's get you to Lizzy."

"Right," Darla said. "I--I just need to say goodbye to my mum and sisters."

Hans nodded.

Darla took his hand and led him into the kitchen where Drew, Luna and Maddie were sitting.

"We didn't hear anything breaking so we figured everything was okay," Drew said.

"We're headed over to see Lizzy," Darla replied.

Luna smiled. "Everything's going to be fine, sweetheart."

Darla nodded. "Thanks Mum."

Hans noticed that Kiera was looking at Darla's stomach and he grinned. "This is wild."

"Very much so," Maddie agreed. "We wouldn't have known yet if she hadn't... told me."

"Early bonding with her cousin," Luna said happily.

"Let's hope so," Darla said. "We'll be back soon."

"Good luck," Drew said.

Darla and Hans Flooed over to St. Mungos where Lizzy was waiting for them.

"Hey, you," Lizzy said giving her sister-in-law a hug.

"Hey Liz," Darla said, her voice still a bit shaky.

"Thanks for agreeing to see us so soon," Hans said to her.

"Anything for family," Lizzy replied. "Let's get you into an exam room."

"Right," Darla said reaching for Hans' hand.

They followed Lizzy down the corridor. "I'll let you change quickly," she said.

"Thanks," Darla said quietly.

"There's a gown behind the curtain there," Lizzy told her. "I'll be right back."

"We appreciate it," Hans told her.

Lizzy left the room and Darla walked behind the curtain and began to undress.

"You okay?" Hans asked.

"I'm nervous," Darla said honestly.

"Me too," Hans answered.

"This will change everything," Darla said softly, coming out from behind the curtain, dressed in the hospital gown.

"Yes it will," Hans said, running his hands through his hair.

"You look really pale," Darla said. "Are you okay?"

"Nerves," he told her, sitting down.

"I know the feeling," Darla said, using the step stool to get up on the examination table. "It's cold up here."

He moved to sit next to her, rubbing her arms. "Better?"

Darla smiled. "Much."

Hans leaned in and gave her a gentle kiss.

"You're being really great," Darla said when they pulled apart.

"I love you," Hans said.

"I love you too," Darla said.

There was a soft knock on the door. "Are you ready, Darla?" Lizzy asked.

"Yes," Darla called back.

Lizzy came into the room and closed the door behind her. "Let's get started then. I'm going to take your vitals and then we'll do the necessary tests."

"Okay," Darla reached for her husband's hand.

Hans’s mobile phone began to ring and Lizzy looked at him. "You'll need to turn that off in here."

"Sorry," he reached into his pocket.

Darla was pleasantly surprised that he didn't make an argument or ask to leave the room to answer the phone.

Hans turned it off. "I'm here," he told her.

"You really are," Darla said smiling at him.

Lizzy waved her wand and made some notations on the chart she held. "Drink this," she told her sister in law.

"Okay," Darla said taking the glass. "What is it?"

"Just something that will help me see your symptoms." Lizzy told her.

Darla nodded and drank the liquid.

"Okay," Lizzy set the vial down. "Give me a few moments here..."

Hans squeezed Darla's hand.

"Congratulations are in order," Lizzy said with a grin.

"We're really pregnant?" Hans asked.

"You certainly are," Lizzy replied.

"Is it too soon to tell if it's a boy or girl?" Darla asked. "Or plural boys and girls?"

"You're three and a half months along," Lizzy replied. "I can tell you the sex if you'd like."

Darla looked at Hans. "Do you want to know?"

"Whatever you want," Hans replied.

"I'd like to know," Darla admitted.

Hans nodded. "Then we'd like to know."

"Well, you are having a boy," Lizzy told them.

"A boy?" Darla's eyes filled with tears. "A baby boy?"

Lizzy nodded. "A son."

"Hans..." Darla whispered.

"A son," Hans whispered. "My boy...."

"I can't believe it," she gasped.

"And he appears to be quite healthy," Lizzy said.

Darla wiped her eyes. "Healthy?"

"Healthy," Lizzy smiled.

"That's fantastic," Hans said hoarsely.

"You'll need to take prenatal vitamins," Lizzy said. "And take it easy. Try to avoid stress as much as possible...'

"Okay," Darla nodded.

"Make an appointment at the desk," Lizzy told her. "I'll want to see you in about two weeks."

"I will," Darla replied. "Thank you so, so much."

"Congratulations," Lizzy told them both. "I'll see you later."

Darla threw her arms around her husband when Lizzy had left them alone. "A boy!"

"I know!" Hans said excitedly. "Our boy, Darla!"

"Ours," she agreed, burying her face in his shoulder.

Hans was so glad he'd been here for this. He'd never forgiven himself had he missed it.

"Let's go tell everyone the good news," she said.

Hans laughed. "You should probably get dressed, first."

"I know," she said, using the gown to wipe her eyes again.

"This is amazing, Darla," Hans said. "We're having a boy! I can teach him how to fly, how to play football..."

She laughed. "All those guy things."

"I'm going to be there for everything," Hans promised. "His first steps. His first words..."

Perhaps this is what they had needed to salvage their relationship. It was unexpected, but Darla was happy for it.

"My mum and dad are going to be over the moon," Hans said excitedly.

"Let's go tell them right now," Darla said as she quickly changed.

"You want to tell Drew first," Hans said. "I know you..."

"You're right," Darla said.

"We can tell your side of the family first and then we can go tell mine," Hans said.

"Thank you," she said flinging her arms around him.

"Chloe will have a little boy to boss around," Hans said holding her tight.

Darla laughed again. "This is the best news ever."

"It's amazing," Hans agreed.

They stopped off at the front desk and made their next appointment.

Darla still marvelled over the fact that they were having a son as they left.

"Your dad doesn't still want my head on a platter, does he?" Hans asked.

"He won't after this," Darla reassured him.

"Another grandchild to spoil," Hans grinned.

"He'll probably love to eat as well," Darla laughed.

"He is part Weasley," Hans laughed.

"Exactly," Darla took his hand.

Hans pulled her in for a kiss.

Darla returned it hungrily. It had been so long since they had been like this.

"I missed that," Hans said softly.

"Me too," she whispered.

"We have so much to plan for," Hans said excitedly. "The place in New York is awfully small for a baby. But, I've been looking at penthouses. You could decorate..."

"Hans..." Darla said. "I've already told you... I can't move."

"But things are different now," Hans said. "I'll talk to my agent---"

"I'm glad," Darla said. "But my family is here in England."

Hans squeezed her hand. "But, we're starting our own family."

"I know but I can't live in New York," Darla said. "Why can't they let you be based here?"

Hans groaned. "You know why, Dar. Look, let's not talk about it now. Let's go tell your folks and we'll deal with the logistics later."

She didn't feel as happy as she had before, but she nodded. "Fine."

They arrived back at her parents' house a few minutes later. Ron had made it home and he was waiting with Luna, Maddie, and Drew. Kiera was upstairs kipping.

"So?" Drew asked standing up and looking at her sister. "What did Lizzy say?"

"I'm pregnant," Darla said. "Three and a half months along."

Drew squealed and gave her sister a hug. "Congratulations!"

"Thanks," Darla hugged her back.

"That's wonderful news," Luna said giving her son-in-law a hug.

"It sure is," Ron said kissing his daughter on the cheek. "I'm happy for you, baby."

"It's a lot to get used to," Darla said, looking back at her husband.

"We're having a boy," Hans said avoiding her gaze. He knew she was still upset about New York.

"A boy!" Drew squealed. "That's wonderful!"

"Damn right it is," Ron said. "Let's even out the playing field."

Luna swatted at him. "You love your granddaughters, Ronald and you know it."

"Of course I do," Ron said. "But it'll be nice to have another bloke."

"You want enough for a Quidditch team, don't you?" Drew teased.

"That's a great idea," Ron began.

"Slow down, Daddy," Maddie said laughing. "Besides, I think Kiera, Caroline, Casey and Emma and Chloe might give those boys a run for their money."

"Especially Emma," Darla had to smile.

"We're going to have so much fun decorating the nursery," Drew said already thinking of colour schemes. "You know, I bet you can turn that guest room of yours into a great nursery. And it's right across from your bedroom."

"Actually," Hans said. "We were thinking about making our home base in New York."

"What?" Drew asked taken aback.

"That's not true," Darla said. "Hans--"

"My work is in New York," Hans argued.

"And mine is here," Darla said coolly.

"And your family is here," Drew said moving to stand beside her sister. "And your friends. You can't move halfway across the world!"

"I'm not," Darla replied.

"It's not like we'd be moving to another planet," Hans retorted. "And this isn't really something that concerns you Drew."

"Hey," Ron said angrily. "Don't you speak to my daughters that way!"

"I'm sorry," Hans said. "I just don't think Drew should be making decisions about our marriage."

Luna stood in between them. "This is supposed to be a happy occasion."

"It would be, if he hadn't brought this up again," Darla said as tears welled up in her eyes.

"I'm sorry, Darla," Hans said quietly. He put his hand on her shoulder. "We agreed to talk about this later."

Darla only shook her head.

"Have you told your parents yet?" Luna asked Hans, eager to change to a neutral subject.

"Not yet," Hans said. "We were going there next."

"Their first grandchild," Luna said smiling at him. "I'm sure that they'll be thrilled."

Hans nodded. "They've been after me since we got married."

"I know," Luna winked at him.

Hans felt more at ease with his mother in law.

"Family is very important," Luna said to him. "Never lose sight of that."

Hans nodded, accepting her wise words.

"Thanks, Mum," Darla said wiping at her eyes.

"I have to go tell Brian," Drew said. "And Chloe will be so excited."

"Let me know what she says," Darla said. "And give her a big hug and kiss from me."

"I will," Drew promised. "And I'll talk to you later."

Drew glared at Hans before she Apparated away.

"We um... we should really go tell my parents," Hans said.

"Right," Darla said quietly. She looked over at her parents and Maddie. "I'll---I'll be back later."

Maddie reached for her sister. "It'll be okay, Dar. I'll help you any possible way I can."

"You look after that special niece of mine," Darla said hugging her.

"Always," Maddie promised. "You take care of my new nephew."

Darla gave her parents a hug. "We'll probably eat dinner with Hans' parents."

"Okay," Ron said. "But if you need to come home for any reason--"

"I'll be home later tonight," Darla promised. "I know Hans has to get back to New York."

"Right," Ron glared at his son in law.

Hans looked away. It was obvious he wasn't going to win no matter what he tried. "Dar, we should get going..."

Darla nodded but didn't say a word.

"Give your parents our love," Luna told Hans.

"I will," Hans said, grateful that she was at least talking to him.

Darla silently followed her husband to the fireplace. She didn't need this stress right now, but there was no way she was going to leave her home. Her son was going to grow up with his family all around him.

242. Chapter 242---The Quidditch Match

Authors’ note: Thanks you guys for the anniversary wishes! We appreciated it! This chapter brings you some fluff with Ethan/Maddie and then finally---the Quidditch match! Please read and review!

For the most part, Ethan had settled back into his life as an Auror, husband and new father with relative ease. He hadn't had nearly the same trouble as his younger sister in getting back to some form of normalcy.

That wasn't to say that he didn't look over his shoulder more often than he did before or get up in the middle of the night to make sure there were wards on the house and that all the doors were locked and secured.

There were also some nights where he was awake for most of it- especially ones like this. It was windy and very cold outside and Ethan didn't feel like he could get warm. Maddie was sleeping peacefully and he didn't want to wake her up.

He shivered, thinking about the dream that had just woken him up. It wasn't the first nightmare he'd had about Gordon Devereaux, but it HAD been the first that involved his daughter.

In the dream, he'd heard his daughter's cries and he'd walked through the house trying to get to her. When he'd opened the door to the nursery, he found himself back in that same room where Gordon had kept him and Saffy captive. Gordon was sitting on the bed holding Kiera in his arms.

His efforts to get her away had been futile. The madman had laughed the entire time, walking away while Ethan fought against invisible restraints.

The nightmare had seemed so real that it had shaken Ethan to his core.

Quietly slipping out of bed so he wouldn't wake his wife, Ethan went down the hall to his daughter's room.

Kiera was safe and sound in her crib and Ethan sighed in relief. She looked so innocent and peaceful.

"Hey, baby girl," Ethan whispered.

One brown eye and one blue eye peeked up at him.

"You couldn't sleep, either?" Ethan asked softly.

Kiera gave him a gummy smile.

Ethan gingerly picked her up and held her to him.

She let out a soft cooing sound and rested her head on his chest.

"I heard what you did today," Ethan said sitting down in the rocking chair. "For your Aunt Darla..."

Kiera grinned again, waving a tiny arm in the air.

Ethan laughed. "What else can you do, huh?"

He rocked her back and forth for a few minutes, his eyes travelling over her face. He'd never seen such a perfect human being before in his life.

"Can you read my thoughts?" Ethan asked her. "Hmmm?"

Kiera's eyes focused in on his.

"I'm scared to death that something's going to happen to you and I won't be able to stop it," Ethan whispered.

Kiera's little fingers touched the side of his face, almost in a comforting manner.

Tears welled up in Ethan's eyes. She reminded him so much of Maddie. "I'd die before I let anything happen to you, Kiera."

"Ethan?" Maddie asked from the doorway. "Are you all right?"

"Mads," Ethan said using his free hand to wipe his eyes. "What are you doing up?"

"You weren't in bed," Maddie replied.

"I thought I heard Kiera," Ethan lied. "I came to check on her."

Maddie shook her head. "Ethan..."

Ethan didn't meet her gaze. "She was awake."

"You can't hide things from me, you know that." Maddie knelt down next to the chair.

"Everything's fine," Ethan said.

Kiera whimpered.

"Ethan, don't hide things from me, please." Maddie said.

Ethan was silent for what seemed like a long time.

"I had a nightmare," Ethan finally told her.

"About Gordon," Maddie said perceptively.

Ethan nodded and patted Kiera's back. "He had her and I couldn't get to her."

"Oh Ethan," Maddie replied quietly. "You know that could never happen..."

"Do I?" Ethan asked her.

"He can't hurt anyone anymore," Maddie said.

"My parents have enemies other than Gordon," Ethan said quietly. "And I've made more than my own fair share. What if someone else comes along wanting to get back at me and does it through her, Maddie?"

"We can't think that way," Maddie told him. "Do you know what could happen if it became public knowledge that I'm a Seer?"

Ethan did know and he didn't want to think about those consequences.

"We just can't stay in that mind frame," Maddie told him.

"You and Kiera are everything to me," Ethan said looking at his wife.

"And you two are everything to me," Maddie said, running her fingers through his messy hair.

Ethan smiled. "I thought I was holding up so well and then something like this happens..."

"It's natural," she assured him.

"They keep wanting me to talk to someone," Ethan said shaking his head. "I didn't think I needed to, but maybe they're right."

"I'll go with you, if you want," Maddie volunteered.

"I'd like that," Ethan said smiling at her.

"I'd do anything to help you get through this," Maddie said softly.

"What did I do to deserve you?" Ethan asked her.

"I don't know," she joked as Kiera grinned at her.

"She's not going to sleep anytime soon," Ethan laughed.

"Probably not," Maddie agreed. "I should see if she's hungry."

"What do you say, Kiera?" Ethan asked his daughter. "You want to go to Mummy?"

Kiera cooed, still grinning at her mother.

"I love her smiles," Maddie said taking the baby from Ethan. "Every single one of them."

"They're just like yours," Ethan replied.

"And she always knows just what to do to make you feel better," Maddie said smiling at him.

"Another trait from you," Ethan said softly.

"I try," Maddie said kissing her daughter's cheek.

"You feed her," Ethan said. "I've got to use the loo."

Maddie sat down in the rocking chair with Kiera. "You've had quite a big day, haven't you?" Maddie whispered to her daughter when they were alone.

"Ooooh..." Kiera replied.

"Your daddy loves you so much," Maddie told her.

Kiera blinked as she began to nurse.

Ethan came back into the room a few moments later and he watched his wife from the doorway.

"You were a hungry girl," Maddie commented.

"Another thing she has in common with her mum," Ethan joked.

"You startled me!" Maddie jumped.

"I'm sorry," Ethan said, handing her a towel.

"It's okay," Maddie replied as Kiera continued to nurse.

"She's absolutely perfect, isn't she?" Ethan asked.

Maddie nodded. "I've never seen anything so perfect before. I can't get over her."

"I was thinking that earlier," Ethan said sitting down on the floor. "I was having a little talk with her. I think she understands."

"I'm sure she does, in some way," she agreed.

"I still can't get over what she did with Darla," Ethan commented.

"That was incredible," Maddie shook her head as her daughter finished.

"You going to tell Smythe?" Ethan asked.

"I'd planned on it, yes," she nodded.

"I wonder if she'll be a Seer like you," Ethan said thoughtfully.

"I'm sure she's going to do something with reading minds," Maddie said.

Ethan grinned. "I guess we'll have trouble during Christmas. She'll always know what we're going to get her."

Maddie laughed. "She'll always get what she wants then, won't she?"

"Probably," Ethan said. "She already has us wrapped around her little finger."

"Absolutely," Maddie said, gazing down adoringly.

Kiera held her little hand up at Maddie.

"My sweet girl," Maddie said as Kiera wrapped her hand around her finger.

Ethan heard a rustling sound and went on full alert.

Maddie's eyebrows knit together. "Ethan?"

"Accio wand!" Ethan shouted.

Maddie stood up, holding her daughter protectively. "Ethan what's going on?"

Ethan's wand flew into his hand. He stood in front of his wife and daughter. "I heard something," Ethan replied. "Stay behind me, Maddie."

Maddie nodded, still holding Kiera close.

Ethan held his wand out in front of him. He couldn't understand how anyone could have broken through the wards he'd set.

"Maybe it was just a tree branch," Maddie suggested.

The rustling sound seemed to get louder and Ethan whirled around. "It's coming from the closet," Ethan whispered.

Maddie grew pale.

Ethan walked over to the closet, his wand ready. He swung open the door and nearly had a heart attack when Blue flew out of the closet, cackling.

"Blue!" Maddie scolded.

"Damn it, Blue!" Ethan cursed.

"That was a bad pixie," Maddie told him. "Go in your cage."

Blue pouted and shook his head.

"Right now," Maddie repeated firmly.

Blue flitted above her head before flying down and placing a kiss on Kiera's forehead. The baby giggled and waved her little hand at him.

Ethan shook his head. "That scared the shit out of me."

"Me too," Maddie said. "I know I had him in his cage before we went to sleep. I don't know how he got out."

Ethan sighed and sat down.

"It's okay, Ethan," Maddie said softly. "It was nothing."

"But it could have been someone," Ethan said. "In here, with her."

"But, it wasn't," Maddie said gently. "And you have this place warded so well. No one's getting in here."

Ethan just shook his head.

Maddie set the baby down in the crib and knelt down in front of her husband. "Ethan..."

"I wouldn't be able to live with myself if something happened to either of you," he told her.

"We're going to do whatever we can to protect her and keep her safe," Maddie said taking his hands in hers.

Ethan nodded.

"I love you," Maddie said softly. "And I'm not going anywhere."

"I love you too," Ethan said quietly.

"And our little girl loves you too," Maddie said smiling at him. "You're her hero."

Ethan had to smile at that.

"And you're mine too," Maddie said. "You've always been."

"Thanks Mads," Ethan said, pulling her into his lap.

Maddie laughed. "There's my Ethan."

He hugged her to him tightly.

"I wish you would have told me about this sooner," Maddie said. "I want to help you."

"I haven't had too many nightmares," Ethan said. "Not like Saffy."

"When you do, tell me," Maddie said. "We promised not to keep secrets from each other, remember?"

"I will," he promised. "From now on."

"Good," Maddie said giving him a kiss.

Kiera cooed from her crib.

"She agrees with me," Maddie grinned.

"Like I keep saying," Ethan said. "Just like her mum."

Maddie grinned even wider. "I love being her mum."

"And I love being her mum's husband," Ethan joked.

Maddie laughed. "We should probably go to bed. It's late and we both have work tomorrow."

He nodded. "Good idea."

Maddie stood up and walked over to the crib. "Good night, my baby girl. Sweet dreams."

Ethan stood next to her. "Night, sweetheart," he said, tracing a finger over her smooth cheek.

Kiera grinned up at him.

Ethan took one last look at her before following Maddie back to their bedroom.

Maddie pulled off her dressing gown and slid back under the covers.

"Hopefully no more drama tonight," Ethan said, climbing in next to her.

"Only good dreams," Maddie said cuddling up beside him.

"With you lying next to me like this?" Ethan asked. "Impossible..."

Maddie smiled. "I love you, Ethan."

"Love you too," Ethan said, pulling her closer.

Maddie kissed him. "I'm always going to be here for you."

He brushed back her hair, looking at her in silence for a few moments.

"What?" Maddie asked softly.

"I just love looking at you," he replied.

"And I love being held by you," Maddie said resting her head on his chest. "It's my most favourite place to be."

Ethan stroked her hair. "What was it like?" he asked. "Today... when Kiera found out Darla was pregnant?"

Maddie smiled at the memory of it. "It was amazing, Ethan. I don't even know how to put it into words. There was just this connection between Kiera and me..."

"You read her mind?" he asked.

"Yes," Maddie said softly. "She looked at me and I just...I could hear her."

"That's amazing," Ethan said.

"I just hope that we can help her with this while she grows up," Maddie said thoughtfully.

"Me too," Ethan agreed.

"I don't ever want her to feel hurt or strange because of her gifts," Maddie said.

"Never," Ethan held her tighter. "She'll always know she can come to us."

"For anything," Maddie said softly. She remembered all too well about how she'd been treated at Hogwarts because she wasn't like her fellow students.

Ethan ran his hands along her back through her hair. "Anything at all. And when she has brothers and sisters, she can go to them too."

"Brothers and sisters," Maddie said dreamily.

"You'll have to let me know when we can get started on that," Ethan said huskily.

"Ethan Potter," Maddie said lifting her head to look at him. "There's no time like the present..."

"I thought you had to get the okay from your healer," Ethan said in confusion.

"I did," Maddie said trailing her fingers down his chest. "And as of yesterday, we're good to go..."

"You've been holding out on me then," Ethan smiled at her.

"Things have been a little busy around here lately," Maddie reminded him. "I was going to tell you, but with all the excitement over Darla, it kind of slipped my mind."

Ethan kissed her. "Well then Mrs. Potter..."

"It's been a long, long time," Maddie purred.

"Too long," he agreed.

Maddie gave him a kiss. "Kiera's sleeping, Blue's in his cage..."

"We've got all the time in the world," Ethan finished.

"And I've missed this," Maddie said as Ethan's hands slid underneath her night shirt.

"We haven't done this since... before..." Ethan's voice trailed off.

Maddie touched his cheek. "I know."

"I told myself I'm not going to think about that anymore," he said.

"I know it hasn't been easy," Maddie said softly.

"You've helped," Ethan told her.

"I'm glad," Maddie said. "We're all here for you."

Ethan pulled her over on top of him. "I know how you can be here for me right now..."

Maddie grinned. "Oh, you do, do you?"

"Mmmhmmm..." Ethan said.

Maddie leaned down and kissed him. "Like this?"

"That's exactly what I was looking for," he answered.

Maddie lifted her night shirt up over her head and tossed it to the floor. "And this?"

"Oh yes," he nodded.

Maddie pulled down on his pyjama bottoms. "We won't need these, either..."

"Just in the way," Ethan said, helping her.

"Absolutely," Maddie said. "Much, much better..."

"You read my mind," Ethan said with a grin.

"It's easy," Maddie said grinning back at him. "You have that look in your eyes..."

"I always get that look when it comes to you," he said, tugging at her knickers.

"And everyone says I have the look," Maddie said shaking her head. "Yours is pretty good, too."

"I think it's only irresistible to you though," he said.

"It better be," Maddie said leaning down and kissing him. "I don't like to share."

"You'll never have to share me," Ethan replied.

"Just the way I like it," Maddie murmured. "Ethan..."

He was running his hands over her body, feeling curves under his palms.

"Ethan," Maddie said his name again, closing her eyes.

Ethan rolled her over so he was on top. He pressed his lips to her neck.

"Please," Maddie whispered.

"You want me already?" he teased.

Maddie nodded. "It's been so long, Ethan."

Ethan nodded, pushing himself up.

Maddie looked adoringly at her husband. "I love you, Ethan."

"I love you too," Ethan answered softly.

"Let it all go," Maddie said putting her arms around him. "Let it all go, Ethan."

He pushed himself into her and Maddie arched her back.

Maddie's eyes locked with his. "Welcome home, Ethan."

Ethan nodded, unable to verbally respond.

Maddie wrapped her legs around him, pulling him deep inside her.

Ethan let out a guttural moan, burying his face in her shoulder.

Maddie felt breathless and dizzy as she moved with her husband. She never wanted to go that long without being with him again.

"Mads," he gasped out, breathing heavily.

Maddie smiled in satisfaction. She loved hearing him say her name like that.

"I've missed you so much," Ethan said, pushing himself off to her side.

"I missed you too," Maddie whispered. "That was...that was ..."

"Amazing," he finished for her. "I hope that in nine months time we'll be lucky."

"If we're not, I'll handle it better than I did last time," Maddie promised.

"And I'll be here for every minute of your pregnancy if you are," Ethan swore.

Maddie smiled. "You're not going to miss another minute of Kiera growing up either, Ethan."

He shook his head. "I'm going to be home as often as possible."

"You're a great father," Maddie said smiling at him.

"You're a terrific mum," he said, nudging her.

Maddie laughed. "Well, I guess Kiera's one lucky girl then."

"Yes she is," Ethan agreed.

Maddie cuddled up beside him. "We should really get some sleep."

"Might be a good idea," Ethan fought a huge yawn.

"You think?" Maddie asked nudging him.

Ethan wrapped his arms around her. "Long as I don't get any more nightmares."

"If you do, you're going to talk to me about them and let me help you," Maddie told him. "No more secrets."

"I'll tell you everything from now on," Ethan said. "Promise."

Maddie closed her eyes and hoped that Ethan would keep that promise. She wanted nothing more than for him to put what had happened with Gordon Devereaux behind him.

*** *** ***

The day of Saffron's first big match arrived. She'd had to dress in her own locker room, but was now sitting with the rest of the team as the coach gave them a pep talk.

"This is a huge match for us," the coach was saying. "Wimbourne is in first place and we have the opportunity to change that. You lot are a great team and all the pieces are fitting together now. "

"Plus we have our secret weapon," RJ slung his arm around Saffron's shoulders. "No one will even get NEAR the snitch with her around!"

Her team mates shouted their agreement and pumped their fists. Saffron blushed.

She didn't notice that Daniel O'Neal was the only one who didn't join in with the others.

"All right," the coach chuckled. "Now just remember, we need at least one hundred thirty points before we can catch the snitch. Just try to keep it in your sight until then."

"Right," Saffron nodded.

Everyone got their brooms and headed out toward the pitch. Saffron had never before been nervous before a match, but she was nervous now.

RJ shot O'Neal a smug look as he passed by him to walk next to Saffron. He'd never cared for the reserve Seeker and was only too glad to see him kicked aside.

"Don't be nervous," RJ told Saffron. "Just because everyone you know and love is in the stands watching along with thousands of fans..."

"I know, I know," she said. "Pretend it's a practise..."

"And think about the fact that you'll be able to lord it over Andrew for the next few weeks," RJ grinned.

Saffron smiled. "That's a very tempting thought."

Saffron was about to follow her team mates out on the pitch when she spotted her parents standing with Alexa and Gabe by the exit.

"Mum, Dad," Saffron said. "What are you doing down here?"

"We wanted to wish you luck today, sweetheart," Harry said.

"I'm so glad you did," Saffron said giving him a hug. "How's Mum holding up?" she whispered in his ear.

"She says she's not going to watch," Harry said wryly.

"I heard that," Hermione said swatting him on the shoulder. "I am too going to watch. I have faith in my little girl. I know she's not going to fall off her broom..."

"I never fall off my broom," Saffron said.

"Let's keep it that way," Hermione said giving her daughter a hug.

"Look at you in your uniform!" Alexa gushed. "Saffy, this is it! You're playing in your first professional match!"

"Dream come true, right?" Saffron hugged her tightly. "I'm so glad you're here, Lexie."

"I wouldn't miss this for the world," Alexa said. "And I even convinced my boyfriend the bookworm to take a break this weekend to come watch the match!"

"Yeah right," Gabriel said but he grinned. "I wouldn't miss it either."

"I'm glad," Saffron said giving him a hug. "I'm glad that you're all here."

"We'll be cheering for you, baby." Hermione said.

"Saffy!" RJ called out. "We need to get out there!"

"I'll see you lot after the match," Saffron promised.

Saffron hurried to catch up to the rest of the team. The weather was cooperating for once and Saffron knew you couldn't have asked for a better day for a match. Across the pitch, she caught sight of Andrew who was warming up with his team mates.

Her heart skipped a beat at the sight of him, but she told herself there was no way she'd go easy on him or his team.

"Nervous?" Daniel asked, sidling up beside her.

"No," Saffron replied coolly.

"It's okay if you are," Daniel said smoothly. "I was nervous the day of my first match. I think I threw up about fifty times that morning."

"Sorry to hear that," Saffron tried to move away but he caught up to her.

"I know you and Kirke have something going on," Daniel said. "I just hope it won't affect your play today."

"I know how to keep my personal and professional lives separate," Saffron snapped at him.

Daniel held up his hands and laughed. "I know. I was just looking out for my team mate. I'd like us to be friends, Saffy. We got along quite well on New Year's..."

"That was hardly me," Saffron replied. "I was pissed."

"I think it was you," Daniel said looking at her in such a way that it made her very uncomfortable. "Your guard was let down and you were free. I don't mind saying that I liked that girl I met on New Year's."

"She doesn't exist," Saffron said, glaring at him. "So get over it."

Daniel studied her for a few moments. "Good luck today, Potter."

Saffron didn't respond and he finally walked away.

Andrew ran across the pitch so he could wish her good luck. "Is it bad to have impure thoughts about the opposing team's seeker?" he asked tapping her on the shoulder.

Saffron jumped. "What?"

Andrew grinned. "I didn't mean to scare you. I just wanted to come over and wish you luck."

"Thanks," Saffron smiled at him. "But don't think it's going to make me soften up on your Seeker."

"I know you better than that," Andrew said reaching for her hand.

Saffron squeezed it and started to say something, but her eyes caught Natalia's from across the field.

Andrew noticed the change in his girlfriend's demeanour and he turned and followed her gaze. Natalia quickly looked away.

"How are things with her?" Saffron asked quietly.

"Awkward," Andrew replied. "But with time, I'm hoping it will get better."

"I feel bad she's hurting," Saffron said. "But I'm glad we're back together."

"You and me both," Andrew said. "And, you know, after you lose today, I'll be here to comfort you..."

Saffron snorted. "As if."

"Same confident Saffy," Andrew said leaning in and giving her a kiss. "I love you."

"I love you too," Saffron said. "Break a leg."

"You wish," Andrew said grinning at her before running across the pitch.

Saffron felt better as she headed back to her own team.

In the stands, Alexa and Gabe had just taken their seats. Alexa took a blanket from her bag. "Do you want to share?"

"Sure," Gabriel said, wrapping it around the both of them.

"This is nice," Alexa said grinning at him.

"More than nice," Gabriel said.

"I'm so glad you were able to come over for this," Alexa said leaning against him. "It means a lot to Saffy and you know how much it means to me."

"I'll do anything to make you happy, Lex," Gabriel kissed the side of her head. "You know that."

Alexa hadn't reclaimed all her memories but she was getting there. "I know," Alexa said happily.

He slid his arm around her, pulling her even closer.

"Afterwards, Mrs. Weasley is having a big party for RJ and Saffy at the Burrow," Alexa told him. "I'd really like it if you came with me."

"I'm there," Gabriel promised. He did have a test to study for, but he figured he could always use the time he gained back when he was home in California to read.

"Fantastic," Alexa said. "It should be a lot of fun."

"Sassy!" Noah Weasley screamed pointing down at the pitch. "Case! Look, there's Sassy!"

"HI SASSY!" Casey shouted.

Aidan tugged on Josh's hand. "Daddy! Can't see! I want to see Sassy!"

"All right buddy," Josh lifted his son up. "She's right down there." he pointed.

"Oooh!" Aidan exclaimed excitedly. "It's Sassy!"

A few seats down Chloe was also waving furiously. "HI SASSY! HI RJ!"

Brian picked her up. "Come here, munchkin. You want to sit on Daddy's shoulders so you can see better?"

"Yes Daddy!" Chloe said excitedly.

"Be careful with her," Drew cautioned.

"Nothing's going to happen," Brian said. "Got a firm grip."

Chloe patted Brian's head. "Good, Daddy!"

Drew had to laugh. "You got it, munchkin."

Frankie, Will and Hannah were sitting with them. The twins weren't at the match because they both had colds and Frankie didn't want them out in the cold.

"Do you really think they'll be okay, Mummy?" Hannah asked.

"They'll be fine," Frankie replied. "Your Grandma Abbie is watching them."

Hannah nodded. This match was so different from the first one she'd gone to a few years ago.

"How about I go and grab us all some hot chocolate before the match begins?" Will offered.

"Extra marshmallows, right Daddy?" Hannah asked.

"Extra, extra marshmallows," Will grinned. "And since you've been such a good girl, I might get you a biscuit or two."

"Yum!" Hannah said happily.

Frankie looked at her watch. Her sisters weren't here yet. "The match is starting any moment."

"I can't wait to see Saffy play," Hannah said.

"Me too," Frankie agreed. "We really need to win this one if we want to contend for the Cup."

"It's in the bag," Drew said with a grin. "You've got RJ AND Saffron now."

"Sassy!" Chloe clapped her hands together excitedly.

"That's right baby," Brian said.

A few seats away, Ethan was teasing his mother and older sister about the match. "I'd better not catch either of you covering your eyes..."

"We won't," Julie said defensively.

"I'm more worried about Mum," Ethan said cackling. "Do you remember that time we were watching Saffy at Hogwarts and Mum kept grabbing on to my shoulder and gasping every time Saffy did something. 'My baby! My baby'!"

"I was in pain too," Harry said. "I lost all feeling in my arm that day."

Hermione rolled her eyes. "It wasn't that bad, Harry!"

"Pins and needles in my hand for hours," Harry continued.

"You're being overly dramatic," Hermione said. "And pardon me for being concerned over the welfare of my daughter."

"You don't think I get worried?" Harry asked.

"I know you do," Hermione said. "But you don't worry about her when she flies. She's as much as a daredevil up there as you are."

"And me," Ethan chimed in.

"Let's see how you get if Kiera decides she wants to play," Hermione said.

"I'd let her," Ethan replied.

"Save your breath, Mum," Julie said. "Ethan and Daddy think Quidditch is the best game ever and they'd be thrilled if Kiera wanted to play."

"Damn right," Harry nodded.

"At least you have one person who shares your thoughts, Mum," Ethan pointed out. "You and Jules."

"Like mother like daughter," Hermione nodded.

Katie sighed. "You don't have to worry about me taking it up, Mum. I don't like the uniforms."

"Good to know, Katie," Julie said, patting her shoulder.

Jon, Allie, Caroline, Emma and Adam made it just in time along with Chiaki, Toshio and their twins. The startling line-ups were just being announced. The Puddlemere crowd booed every member of the Wimbourne team.

"And now your very own Puddlemere United," the announcer called out. "In his second year at Keeper, it's RJ Weasley!"

A roar went up from the crowd as RJ flew above the pitch, showing off a few moves on his broom.

"That's my boy!" Ron screamed.

"RJ!" Casey screamed. "OVER HERE!"

RJ flew over in the direction of his family and he gave his nieces and nephew a wave.

Noah and Aidan were so excited they nearly fell off their chairs.

Lizzy laughed. "Easy, boys."

The announcer shouted out the names of the other team members and saved Saffron for last. "And now, please give a warm welcome to Puddlemere's newest team member, Saffron Potter!"

Harry roared his approval as his daughter flew up onto the pitch.

"She hasn't even played a match yet and the whole crowd loves her," Daniel grumbled to one of the other reserves.

"She's great, mate," his team mate said. "You're just jealous because she took your spot."

"Shove off," Daniel glared at him.

"And in case you hadn't noticed, we lost two matches while you were Seeker," his teammate said. "She's bound to do better than you ever did."

"We'll see about that," Daniel grumbled.

"What are you going to do?" his friend asked.

"Don't worry about me," he snapped.

Daniel folded his arms and looked up at the sky as the match began.

Saffron took a few deep breaths as she positioned herself above all the other players. "This is it," she said to herself. "Don't muck it up."

"Good luck, Potter," the Wimbourne Seeker said. "You're going to need it. I haven't missed the Snitch at all this season."

"There's a first time for everything," Saffron replied pertly.

"May the best team win," he said before flying off in the other direction.

"We will!" she shouted after him.

Saffron looked over and saw her parents and hid a smile as her mother grabbed hold of her father's arm. Her mother wasn't going to change.

The chest containing the Quidditch balls was opened and the game officially began. Saffron remembered what the coach had said and she decided to keep an eye on the Snitch while distracting Wimbourne's Seeker as much as possible.

"Go Puddlemere!" Ethan shouted.

Andrew couldn't help but keep one eye on the game and one eye on his girlfriend.

He wanted to win the match, but he also wanted her to do well. She had wanted this for so long.

He was distracted as Natalia flew past him in pursuit of the Quaffle.

"Get your head in the match!" Natalia shouted at him.

Andrew was startled. Even though things were extremely distant and tense between them, she'd never spoken to him like that.

RJ expertly deflected two attempts from the Wimbourne players to score.

"GO SON!" Ron shouted. "GOOD PLAY!"

"Ronald, you just shouted in my ear," Luna said, but she was smiling.

"Sorry," Ron said sheepishly. "He just plays so well, Luna."

"I know," Luna said proudly. "He does and you taught him."

Ron stood up. "I did, didn't I?"

"Yes, you did," Luna said dreamily. "I remember watching you play in school. It made my heart skip a beat."

"And when you called the matches, that was the greatest," Ron said eagerly. "Especially when you talked about me."

"Weasley is my King," Luna sang.

"Hey we're trying to watch the game over here," Harry said.

"Shut it, Rabbit King," Ron countered.

"Jealous much?" Harry asked.

Adam toddled over to his grandfather before Ron could offer a retort.

"Gampa, watch with me?"

"I sure will, Adam," Ron picked him up.

"Hey, Gamma Lu," Adam waved at Luna.

"Hello darling," Luna kissed her grandson's cheek. "Are you having fun?"

Adam nodded. "But, Em won't share."

"She won't?" Luna asked.

"Em say she no share food," Adam pouted.

"Em never shares food," Ron said. "But we'll get you some biscuits, okay?"

"Kay," Adam said happily. "Love Gampa."

Ron hugged him. "I love you too, buddy."

"Did you see your Uncle RJ?" Luna asked her grandson. "He's doing so well!"

Adam nodded. "Want to play too!"

"It's in your blood," Ron said. "Your dad played at Hogwarts and so did your mum."

"Me too," Adam nodded.

"Look!" Ron exclaimed. "Someone's going to try to score on your uncle again..."

"No!" Adam shook his head vehemently.

RJ did an aerial on his broom and deflected the attempt.

"Go, RJ!" Ron shouted.

Saffron clapped a few times for RJ then resumed her search for the Snitch. It took awhile, but Puddlemere was finally able to take over the lead of the game and she could finally stop idling.

Unfortunately, the Wimbourne seeker decided to follow her wherever she flew.

"Get a life," she grumbled.

"You don't own the sky, Potter," the Wimbourne player said gleefully.

"Neither do you," Saffron snapped at him.

Saffron had to do something to lose him so she veered to the right and then veered back to the left. But, in doing so, she was nearly hit with a Quaffle that one of the Beaters had hit in her direction.

"Oh Merlin," Hermione buried her face in Harry's shoulder as Saffron spiralled towards the ground, only to pull herself up at the last minute.

"She's okay," Harry told his wife. "She's fine."

"I can't handle much more of this," Hermione said.

"It will all be over when the brat catches the Snitch, Mum," Ethan said confidently. "And she's going to do it."

"I just hope she does it soon," Hermione said, gripping Harry's hand tightly.

"She's doing great," Harry reassured her.

Andrew again looked up at his girlfriend. She seemed to be intent on finding the Snitch.

Saffron saw something in the distance and grinned. That Snitch was hers.

"Got it," she said triumphantly, turning on her broom and flattening herself for maximum speed.

Harry took Hermione's hands in his so she couldn't cover her eyes. "Keep your eyes open, sweetheart. You don't want to miss this."

"I don't know..." she began.

"Trust me," Harry said with a grin. "GO SAFFY!"

"YEAH BRAT!" Ethan screamed at the top of his lungs. "GET THE SNITCH!"

The crowd held a collective breath as they watched Saffron in fast pursuit of the Snitch. The Wimbourne seeker noticed what she was going after and took off at full speed after her.

"No way," RJ said to himself as he watched Saffron. "You'll never catch up with her now."

Saffron held on to her broom stick with one hand and reached out with her free hand for the Snitch.

"Come on," she whispered desperately.

The Wimbourne seeker was approaching fast. Saffron reached out and caught the Snitch.

"DAMN it!" she heard him curse and she laughed.

"The sky is mine," she said with a grin before turning back and flying towards the stadium.

"THAT'S MY GIRL!" Hermione shouted at the top of her lungs. "Harry! Did you see?"

"I sure did," Harry said proudly.

Nick gave Ethan a high five. "That was brilliant!"

"Sure was," Ethan replied. "I wish Mads didn't have to miss this!"

"She listened on the Wireless, right?" Julie asked.

Ethan nodded. "She had to work, and she took Kiera in with her."

"Let's go down to the pitch," Harry said. "And congratulate our girl."

Hermione nodded eagerly.

Down on the pitch, Saffy's team mates were congratulating her. "Come on, O'Neal," Scanlon shouted. "Get your sorry arse over here."

Daniel waved him off.

He watched in disgust as RJ Weasley lifted Saffron up on his shoulders.

She still held onto the Snitch, laughing as RJ tried to balance her.

"You'd better not drop me, Weasley," Saffron warned him.

"You'd kill me if I did," RJ retorted playfully.

"Excellent flying, Potter!" Scanlon shouted up at her. "Not bad at all for a girl!"

"Thanks, I think," Saffron replied with a grin.

The Wimbourne players watched the celebration. Natalia came up beside Andrew. "She---she played a great match."

"Yeah, she did." Andrew said absently.

"I'm sorry for snapping at you during the match," Natalia said quietly.

Andrew shrugged. "It's okay," he scuffed his foot along the grass.

"This hasn't been very easy on me," Natalia said. "And I probably haven't handled it very well. But, we are team mates and nothing should get in the way of that."

He nodded. "That's a good idea."

"We'll get them next time," Natalia said looking again at the celebrating Puddlemere team.

"Hopefully," Andrew answered, looking over at her.

Natalia left him to join the rest of their team.

Andrew decided to go over and congratulate RJ and Saffron on their team's win.

"Kirke, isn't it?" Daniel O'Neal asked him before he could reach Saffron and RJ.

"Yeah," Andrew said warily. He remembered O'Neal's behaviour towards Saffron on New Year's Eve.

"You think it's such a good idea for you to come over here?" Daniel asked him.

"I would think it's good sportsmanship," Andrew said tightly.

"You would, would you?" Daniel asked glaring at him.

"Why do you care?" Andrew asked irritably.

"Just looking out for my team mate," Daniel replied smoothly. "She and I have gotten quite close, you know."

"Sure you have," Andrew said disdainfully.

"You saw us on New Year's," Daniel said. "The way she was dancing with me...the way she kissed me..."

Andrew shoved past him.

"Was it something I said?" Daniel called after him.

"Stay away from Saffron," Andrew warned him.

"Or what?" Daniel asked boldly. "What are you going to do about it?"

"Don't ask," Andrew said darkly.

"Whatever, Kirke," Daniel said glaring at him.

Andrew turned his back and headed over to his best friend and girlfriend.

"Hey, Player of the Week," RJ said grinning at him. "I think you've lost your title..."

"To a worthy opponent," Andrew smiled at his girlfriend. "Way to go, Saf."

Saffron hugged him. "I can't believe this is real, Andrew."

He whirled her around. "You were fantastic."

Saffron laughed. "Thank you. You did really well, too!"

"Everyone was here to see you today," Andrew said.

"And she didn't let them down at all," RJ said proudly. "She was amazing!"

"Thanks, both of you," Saffron said.

"Here comes the crew," RJ said looking to where Noah, Aidan, Emma, Casey, Chloe and Hannah were running toward her.

Saffron knelt down and held her arms out. "Hey, you guys!"

"Sassy was GOOD!" Chloe squealed.

Saffron beamed at her. "Thank you, Chloe! Did you have fun?"

"Yes!" Chloe said. "Sat on Daddy!"

Brian grinned. "I have the bruises on my head to prove it. She kept hitting it every time you got near the Snitch, Saffy."

Saffron laughed. "Sorry Brian."

"No problem," Brian said grinning at her.

Ron carried Adam over to RJ. "Son, you were brilliant today."

"Thanks Dad," RJ said with a broad grin.

"Did you hear us shouting for you?" Luna asked him.

"I heard this guy," RJ teased his nephew.

Adam laughed. "Go Pudd-mere!"

RJ laughed, taking Adam from his father. "That's right Adam!"

"He was telling Ronald all about how he was going to play someday," Luna said fondly.

"That's a boy," RJ said. "I'll teach you everything, okay?"

Adam nodded happily. "You and Daddy and Gampa."

"That's a promise," RJ grinned.

Ethan, Harry and Hermione walked over to where Saffron and Andrew were talking.

"Sweetheart, you were fantastic!" Hermione exclaimed.

"Thanks Mum," Saffron said. "You watched?"

"Every moment," Hermione said. "Your father held my hands so I couldn't cover my eyes."

"Thanks Dad," Saffron said with a broad grin.

"Hey, Brat!" Ethan said tugging on her ponytail.

"Ethan!" Saffron hugged her brother tightly. "I'm so glad you're here! You too Jules!"

"Mads hates that she missed it," Ethan told her. "But she listened on the Wireless."

"I understand," Saffron nodded.

"Andrew," Ethan said shaking the younger man's hand. "You played a good match."

"Thanks," Andrew said.

"You'll be joining us at the Burrow, right?" Julie asked him.

"Wouldn't miss it," Andrew said, sliding his arm around Saffron.

"He's going to drown his sorrows," Saffron teased.

"I'll never live it down," Andrew joked.

Hermione loved seeing her daughter happy like this. She couldn't remember the last time she'd seen her this happy.

"We've definitely got cause to celebrate," Jon said.

"And eat," Emma chimed in.

Ron picked her up. "What's this I heard- my little Em isn't sharing her biscuits?"

"I shared," Emma said defensively.

"That's not what Adam told me," Ron said

"Oh," Emma said looking innocently at him.

"Em," Ron raised his eyebrow.

"I'm sorry," Emma said giving him a hug. "I'll share next time, Grandpa."

"That's my girl," Ron replied.

"What's Nana making us?" Emma asked him.

"Some of everything," Ron replied. "I can hardly wait."

"Me too," Emma said. "Aunt Mad's coming, right?"

"She'll be there sweetheart," Ron assured her. "With Kiera.

Emma grinned. "I love Kiera, Grandpa."

"She loves you too, baby." Ron told her.

"She's got pretty eyes," Emma said. "I could look at her forever and ever."

"That's sweet of you," Ron kissed her cheek.

"We should let RJ and Saffy get changed," Harry said. "So we can go celebrate."

"Good idea," Saffron replied. "It won't take long."

"Need some help changing?" Andrew whispered in her ear.

Saffron bit her lower lip. "Tempting," she said softly.

"Tonight," Andrew promised her. "We'll have a private celebration of our own."

"I like that idea," Saffron said.

"I'll meet you out here in a few minutes," Andrew said. "We can head over to the Burrow together."

"Sounds good," Saffron squeezed his hand.

"Bye, Sassy!" Casey waved. "See you at Nana's!"

"All right Case," Saffron waved back at her.

"Those kids love you," Alexa told her. "They were so excited every time they saw you!"

"They're all so sweet," Saffron replied.

"So are you," Gabriel teased. "When you want to be..."

"Shut it," Saffron replied. "Or you'll be sprouting feathers when you get back to University."

Gabriel held up his hands. "Okay, then..."

"I won't let her get you," Alexa teased her boyfriend.

Gabriel laughed. "Thanks for protecting me from the big, bad Saffron, Lex."

"Nice," Saffron deadpanned. "Next thing you know I'll be sprouting claws and facial hair."

"You do look like that when you wake up in the morning," Ethan said dryly.

"Look who's talking," Saffron retorted with a grin. "I always look a sight better than you."

"At least I'm not a brat," Ethan said tugging on her ponytail again.

"Golden Boy," Saffron hugged him.

"In all seriousness," Ethan said hugging her tightly. "I am dead proud of you, Saf."

"Thanks Ethan," Saffron replied. "Both our dreams came true, you know?"

"I know," Ethan said smiling at her.

"Speaking of which," Saffron said. "When do I get to baby-sit my niece?"

"It's not every day that the hottest Quidditch star in the country volunteers to baby-sit for us lowly peasants," Ethan said dramatically.

"So you'd better take advantage of it," Saffron said.

"Mads and I would love a night to ourselves," Ethan said. "You sure you don't mind?"

"Just let me know," Saffron replied.

The crowd had thinned out and Ethan and Saffron were alone on the pitch. "You know, I started counselling yesterday. I've been having a few nightmares of my own."

"You are?" she asked. "Really?"

Ethan nodded. "I dreamt that he had Kiera, Saffy. I couldn't get to her and he just took her away..."

"Oh Ethan," Saffron said softly. "That's horrible..."

"Yeah," Ethan said quietly. "And I've been really overprotective, you know? Making sure the house is warded, getting up in the middle of the night and checking things out..."

"That's understandable." Saffron nodded. "Those first few nights we were home, I hardly slept."

"And how are you doing now?" Ethan asked her.

"Better," she said. "Andrew... he's been a huge help, Ethan."

"He's a good bloke," Ethan said. "And it's obvious he loves you."

"I'm lucky," Saffron replied.

"Me too," Ethan said. "Mads has been incredible."

"Then I stand corrected," Saffron grinned at him. "WE are lucky."

"You know, you can talk to me anytime," Ethan said. "You and I are the only ones who truly know what it was like."

Saffron nodded. "Same goes for you, Ethan. I'm always there to listen."

Ethan gave her another hug. "I love you, brat."

"Love you too, Golden Boy," Saffron said. "I'd better go change."

"I'll see you at the Burrow," Ethan told her.

"Be there soon," Saffron waved, turning to head to her locker room.

Her male team mates were still celebrating in their locker room. "You don't even need to take a shower, O'Neal," Scanlon joked. "You didn't even get your uniform dirty."

"Shut the hell up," Daniel glared at him.

"Potter is just what this team needed," Scanlon said. "I like her."

"I told you," RJ said. "She's amazing."

"She got lucky," Daniel muttered kicking off his shoes.

"Luck had nothing to do with it," RJ said sharply. "She has skills that you haven't even seen yet. Saffron plays hard."

"As much as it pains me to say it," Scanlon said. "Weasley's right. The girl has skills. And with her, there's no way we're going to lose."

"Thanks for the vote of confidence," RJ said dryly.

Scanlon grinned. "I couldn't carry the team by myself."

"You couldn't carry a Snitch by yourself," RJ retorted playfully.

"Very funny," Scanlon said shaking his head. "Very funny, Weasley."

"What a joke," Daniel threw his gloves into his locker.

One bloody match and they all thought the sun rose and set around her.

"I can't wait to win the Cup for the second year in a row," RJ was saying enthusiastically. "We've got it in the bag now."

"It's one match, Weasley," Daniel grumbled.

RJ glared at him. "You knew from the start that you were just the reserve, O'Neal."

"I have more experience than she does," Daniel argued.

"Which is why you lost us two games," Scanlon said sarcastically.

Daniel looked like he was about to hit him when Murphy jumped between them. "Easy, lads. Come on. We won today. No reason to be in a strop."

RJ glared at Daniel but backed away.

Daniel grabbed a towel and headed for the showers. There had to be some way to get rid of Saffron Potter. Girls were meant to shag not to play Quidditch. There had to be some way to distract her and get her off the team.

"I hate that wanker," RJ said darkly once O'Neal was out of earshot.

"He's just sore about losing his spot on the team," Murphy said. "Take what he says and does with a grain of salt."

RJ nodded. "I will."

"We all love Saffy," Murphy said.

"Told you guys she was great," RJ replied. "I'm going to take a shower then get out of here. See you lot later."

A half hour later, Saffron was dressed and ready to go. She pulled on her cloak and grabbed her bag. Her stomach was a little unsettled but that was probably because she hadn't eaten anything that morning. If she knew Molly Weasley, there would be enough food at the party to feed a small army.

She wondered if RJ had waited for so she went and knocked on the men's locker room door.

No one answered and she was about to leave when the door swung open to reveal the last person she wanted to see---Daniel O'Neal.

243. Chapter 243

Authors’ note: We hope you all enjoy this chapter. You get more of the Quidditch match aftermath and RJ will meet Audrey’s family. Let us know what you think! And as always check out the Orkut group for sneak peeks of the next chapter (usually posted on Sundays).

"Is RJ still in there?" she asked coolly.

"He left a few minutes ago," Daniel replied. "You---you clean up nice, Potter."

Saffron didn't answer, just turned to leave.

"Potter," Daniel called after her. "Look, I'm sorry if I've done something to offend you. I just---it's hard for me, watching you come in here and take over."

"I'm not taking over anything," Saffron said. "I'm doing the job they want me to do."

Daniel smiled. "I know that. I was thinking that you and I could help each other out."

She arched an eyebrow. "How?"

"Well," Daniel said offering her his most charming smile. "I'm thinking that we could practise together. Just you and me. Before the main practise, I mean."

"I don't think so," Saffron replied, turning away again.

"Come on," Daniel said. "You've seen me in practise. I need all the help I can get."

"You're the reserve," Saffron said.

"Yes I know," Daniel said trying to keep his temper in check. "But, I'd like to get better. I think I can do that with your help."

"I'm sure there's someone else who can help," Saffron started walking away.

Daniel reached for her, but Andrew Kirke turned the corner just as he did so.

"Andrew," Saffron hurried towards him. "I'm so glad you're here!"

"Yeah, Kirke," Daniel said forcing a smile. "We're really glad you're here."

"What's going on?" Andrew asked suspiciously.

"Team bonding," Daniel said grinning at Saffron. "I'll see you at practise, Potter. Think about what I said."

"I don't think so," Saffron said, taking Andrew's hand in hers.

"What did you ask my girlfriend, O'Neal?" Andrew asked him.

"Don't worry about it Kirke," Daniel replied.

"I do worry where she's concerned," Andrew glared at him. "You stay away from her, O'Neal."

"I wouldn't want to come between the threesome you're probably having with Weasley," Daniel smirked.

Andrew dropped his duffel bag and lunged at Daniel.

"Andrew don't!" Saffron tried to pull him back.

Andrew shrugged her off and shoved Daniel against the wall. "You want to say that again, O'Neal?"

"Touchy on that, are we?" Daniel's grin grew wider. "Which one of them do you prefer?"

Andrew drew back his fist and hit Daniel square in the jaw.

"Andrew!" Saffron reached for him again. "Come on... it's not worth it! HE'S not worth it!"

"Such frustration," Daniel said laughing. "Must be because your girlfriend's such a cock tease. Gets you all warmed up and then...nothing."

Andrew's hands closed around his throat. "You. Stay. Away. From. Her." he said through clenched teeth.

"Andrew!" Saffron pleaded. "It's not worth it. "Let him go and let's get out of here!"

Andrew released the other man. "Just leave us alone, O'Neal, or you'll be sorrier for it."

"You're going to be sorry," Daniel said rubbing his swollen jaw. "Count on it."

"Just leave us alone," Saffron repeated, taking Andrew's hand again.

Daniel stumbled away, but not before leering at the two of them.

"What a jerk," Saffron said. "Let me see your hand."

Andrew protested, but Saffron gave him a look. He relented and held out his hand.

She ran the tips of her fingers over his bruised knuckles. "This is an easy fix," she said, drawing out her wand.

"I'm not sorry for hitting that bastard," Andrew said.

"I was ready to do it myself," Saffron confessed.

She set a healing charm on his hand. "Thanks," Andrew said.

Saffron nodded. "I'm glad you came when you did."

"What did he say to you?" Andrew asked her.

"He said some nonsense about wanting to practise with me," Saffron shook her head.

"One guess what he wanted to practise," Andrew grumbled.

"Well he'll never get to," Saffron replied. "He seems to think because of New Year's Eve, he's got this past history with me."

Andrew put his arms around her. "I don't want him anywhere near you, Saffy."

Saffron pressed her face into his shoulder. "I don't want to be near him."

"He's dangerous," Andrew said.

"I'll be okay," Saffron assured him.

Andrew kissed her. "We should go. We're already late."

"Of course," Saffron said. "I'm starving."

"Me too," Andrew said grinning at her.

Saffron gave him a kiss. "I love you."

"I love you too," Andrew said, taking her hand. "Even if you did beat me today."

"I told you I was," Saffron informed him.

"You did," Andrew said. "And I didn't listen, did I?"

"You blokes never do," Saffron leaned against him as they left the locker room area.

They arrived at the Burrow, where the party was already underway.

"There's the star!" Jon said when he saw her.

Saffron laughed. "I'm hardly a star, Jon."

"Today is your day, Saffy," he told her. "Live it up."

"Thanks, Jon," Saffron said leaning against Andrew.

"Come on," Jon said. "Nana's waiting to see you."

Saffron nodded and she and Andrew followed him into the kitchen. "Hiya, Nana."

"Saffron!" Molly Weasley beamed.

Arthur laughed as his wife embraced Saffron in a bear hug. "We listened to your match on the wireless, Saffy. You were brilliant."

"Thanks," Saffron said, laughing. "It was an easy team to beat."

Andrew nudged her. "Do you see what I have to put up with, Mr. Weasley?"

Arthur chuckled. "Nothing a few drinks can't handle."

"The little ones were telling us all about it," Molly said. "They were so excited!"

"They were on the pitch after the game," Saffron told her.

"Saffy!" Ethan called out from the sitting room. "Come in here!"

Saffron raised an eyebrow at Andrew, who shrugged. The two of them went back into the sitting room where Maddie was holding Kiera. Saffron grinned when she saw her niece was wearing a long-sleeved Puddlemere t-shirt with Saffron’s number on it.

"We're sorry we couldn't make it to the game," Maddie said. "So we thought this would make it up to you."

"It did," Saffron said beaming at her niece. "Can I hold her?"

"Of course," Maddie said, carefully handing her daughter to her sister in law.

Saffron kissed Kiera's soft cheek. "Hiya."

Kiera cooed at her with a huge smile.

Saffron giggled. "I am so glad you made it to the party."

"We wouldn't have missed this," Maddie told her.

"You know," Andrew said to Ethan and Maddie. "They do sell Kirke jerseys at the Wimbourne shop. I could pick one up for Kiera..."

"That would be blasphemy," Ethan said solemnly.

"We're a Puddlemere family," Maddie said loyally.

Andrew shook his head.

"Can you say Puddlemere?" Saffron asked her niece. "Hmm?"

"Ooooh," Kiera cooed.

Saffron laughed. "Close enough."

'For now," Ethan grinned down at his daughter.

"Where's RJ?" Andrew asked.

"Eating, most likely," Saffron cracked.

"He's out in the backyard with Audrey helping Josh with the kids," Maddie said. Andrew nodded. "Saf, I'll be right back. I want to have a word with RJ."

Saffron gave him a look. "Andrew..."

"I'll be back," Andrew said offering her a reassuring smile. "You just enjoy being with your niece."

"Don't start anything," she said.

"No worries," Andrew said before slipping out.

"Hey mate," Andrew said as he approached RJ. "Can I have a quick word?"

"Sure," RJ said standing up from the picnic table.

"O'Neal," Andrew began. "He's trying to start something with Saffy."

"What did he do?" RJ asked folding his arms.

"He was saying something to her when I went to meet her," Andrew described the situation. "So I punched him."

"That son-of-a-bitch," RJ muttered.

"Just keep an eye on Saffy around him for me, would you?" Andrew asked.

RJ nodded. "Of course."

"Thanks mate," Andrew said. "I appreciate it."

RJ told his friend about what had happened in the locker room after the match.

"I don't get it," Andrew said. "He knew going into it that he was there until Saffron came home."

"He seemed to think it was going to be more permanent," RJ said, shaking his head. "He's never going to see playing time as long as Saffy's on the team."

"Then he'd better make sure he doesn't try to sabotage her." Andrew snapped.

"Too right," RJ agreed. "We'll look out for her."

Andrew felt better. "Thanks."

"I'd do anything for her," RJ said. "You know that."

"You're a good mate," Andrew clapped his shoulder.

RJ grinned. "I'm a winner. That's what we do..."

Andrew groaned. "Yeah, yeah."

"Hi, guys," Audrey joined them. "Everything okay?"

RJ slid his arm around her. "Great."

Audrey smiled up at him. "Did you tell Andrew what a great boyfriend you are? All because you agreed to accompany to my Aunt Tessie's birthday party tomorrow..."

Andrew grinned at his friend. "Uh oh..."

"He's going to meet MY crazy family," Audrey said happily.

"Are there as many of them as there are here?" Andrew asked.

"Not quite," Audrey replied.

"Almost, eh?" RJ asked. "Do I need name cards?"

Audrey laughed. "No, you'll do fine. You already know my mum and dad. You'll get to my grandparents tomorrow, my Aunt Tessie and Uncle Dave and my cousins."

"Definitely need name cards," he said, which earned an elbow in his side.

"Just for that, I'm going to quiz you afterwards," Audrey said.

"What if I get full marks?" RJ asked.

Audrey winked at him. "You'll be rewarded to the fullest extent."

"I think that's my cue to get out of here," Andrew said.

RJ laughed. "Now, you see what's it like putting up with you and Saffy."

"We aren't that bad," Andrew said.

"Yes you are," RJ countered.

"No way," Andrew shook his head.

Andrew was still laughing when he came back into the house. Saffron was alone in the sitting room with Kiera. "Maddie and Ethan went for a walk. I told them I'd watch her."

Andrew grinned. "Mind if I join you?"

"Of course not," Saffron smiled at him. "Would you like to hold her?"

"You think it'd be okay?" Andrew asked.

Saffron laughed. "Of course. You've held a baby before, right?"

"Yeah," Andrew said. "But it was awhile ago."

Saffron smiled at him. "Don't look so nervous. She's the sweetest baby and she doesn't even have teeth yet so she won't bite."

Andrew gingerly took the infant from his girlfriend. "Hey there," he said.

Kiera stared wide-eyed up at him.

"She likes you," Saffron smiled at him,

"I do have a way with the ladies," Andrew said winking down at Kiera who offered him a gummy smile in return.

Saffron laughed. "Especially with me."

"Always with you," Andrew said. "So, what were you and Kiera doing? You weren't singing to her, were you?"

"I wouldn’t' frighten her like that," Saffron made a face.

Andrew laughed. "It's the one thing you can't do."

"Like you're much better," Saffron retorted with a grin.

"Oh, I couldn't carry a tune if my life depended on it," Andrew said grinning as Saffron held her finger out to Kiera who wrapped her little fist around it.

"I just love when babies do that," Saffron said.

Andrew grinned. "I wonder why they do that."

"I don't know," Saffron said thoughtfully as Kiera grinned at them.

"She certainly is a happy baby," Andrew said.

"She's got every reason to be," Saffron replied.

"Yes, she does," Andrew said thoughtfully. "And so do you, Miss Potter."

"Thanks to you," Saffron said softly.

Andrew leaned over and kissed her.

"I love you so much," Saffron whispered.

"I love you too," Andrew said smiling at her. "I always have and I always will."

"Saf!" Emma called. "We're going to eat!"

"Come here," Saffron said crooking her finger at the little girl. "It looks like you've already gotten into the chocolate." Emma's face was smeared with icing.

"It's a secret," Emma giggled.

"Did you sneak a bite?" Saffron whispered.

"This big," Emma held her fingers apart.

"Ooooh," Saffron said grinning at her. "I bet I know what it was too. Nana's Triple Chocolate Fudge cake. Right?"

Emma nodded. "It had my name alllllllll over it!"

Andrew chuckled. "Was there a piece of that cake that had my name on it? Because I like that cake, too."

"You better eat it quick," Emma giggled.

"Is that so?" Saffron asked tickling Emma's side.

"Yes!" the little redhead squealed. "Before me and Grandpa eat it all!"

"And your Aunt Maddie," Saffron said picking her up. "Come here, you."

Emma hugged her. "You were good today!"

"Thank you, Em," Saffron said. "And I was soooo glad that you were there to cheer me on."

"I yelled the loudest," Emma told her.

"I know," Saffron said. "I heard you screaming for me."

"Me and Han yelled the loudest cause we love you," Emma said.

Saffron gave her another hug. "I love you guys, too. So much."

"Em, what did you think of me today?" Andrew asked the little girl. "I played well too, right?"

"Not as good as Saf," Emma replied.

Saffron laughed. "I love this kid."

"I tell it like it is," Emma recited.

Andrew and Saffron laughed at this. "You sure do, Emma," Saffron said. "How about we go into the kitchen and eat?"

"Um," Andrew said unsure of what to do with the baby. "Should I stand up with her?"

"I'll take her," Saffron set Emma down.

"Thank you," Andrew said gratefully. He liked holding Kiera, but he didn't know if he'd able to master walking and carrying her at the same time.

"You need a bit of practise that's all," Saffron carefully took her niece into her arms.

"It's easy," Emma said. "I held Adam all the time!"

"And I'm sure you did a great job," Andrew assured her.

"I did," Emma said leading the way into the kitchen. "Mummy said I was the bestest helper."

"She sure was," Allison said as they entered.

"Still am," Emma said putting her hands on her hips. Molly was just about to put the last dish on the table when she noticed that her Triple Chocolate Fudge cake had a big chunk missing. “Who got into my cake? George Weasley! Did you take a piece of my cake? I thought I told you not to go near that cake!”

"I didn't!" George replied.

"Fred!" Molly exclaimed, turning to George's twin. "I should have known it was you!"

"I didn't either!" Fred squawked. "Mum!"

Molly hit Ron on the back of the head with her dish towel just as he was helping himself to some chicken. "Ow! What the bloody hell was that for, Mum?"

"You stole the cake," Molly said sternly. "Just because you're older now Ronald doesn't mean you can't be punished!"

"I-I didn't," Ron stammered.

"It was me, Nana," Emma said in a small voice.

"What was that, love?" Molly asked.

"I took the cake," Emma whispered.

"Sweetheart, you don't have to cover for your grandfather," Molly told her, patting the top of her head.

"But I took it," Emma said, her eyes teary. "I'm sorry Nana."

"Emma, you know that we told you to wait," Jon told his youngest daughter.

"I was just so hungry," Emma wiped away the last little smear of chocolate.

"Bad Em," Adam said shaking his head.

Emma started to cry. "I'm really sorry!"

"Oh, sweetheart," Molly said kneeling down in front of her granddaughter. "Don't you cry."

"But you were mad," Emma said.

Molly handed Emma a handkerchief. "Dry your tears, sweetheart. Do you know that in all my years of cooking and raising children, I don't think I've ever had a meal where someone didn't sneak a bite of something."

"But next time we tell you no, Emma," Jon warned. "You'd better listen. Understood?"

"Yes, Daddy," Emma said her lower lip trembling.

"No bad Em?" Adam asked.

"No more bad Em," Allison said. "She's going to help us clean up after dinner instead of playing with her cousins."

"Yes Mummy," Emma nodded.

"I believe you owe us an apology," Fred said looking pointedly at his mother. "Thinking the worst of us..."

Ron snorted. "At least you didn't get smacked in the head."

"You should have seen the look on your face when she did it," Harry chuckled.

"Sod off Potter," Ron replied.

"Behave, both of you," Molly said sternly. "You're supposed to set an example."

"Behave," Adam nodded.

"He started it," Ron said looking at Harry.

"Behave Grandpa," Emma wiped the last of her tears away.

"Yeah," Saffron chimed in. "We're impressionable youth and you're not setting a good example for us, Uncle Ron."

"I don't worry about you, Saffy," Ron told her.

"Thanks, Uncle Ron," Saffron beamed at him.

"All right, all right." Molly said. "Time to eat, everyone."

"My favourite words," Ron said gleefully. "Chin up, Emma. No more tears, okay?"

"No more," Emma agreed. "I'm going to eat with you."

"That's my girl," Ron said.

"I really couldn't eat before the match today," Saffron said. "I'm starving now."

"I made all your favourites," Molly said. "I'm so proud of you and RJ and Andrew."

"Thanks Nana," Saffron said.

"Thanks, Mrs. Weasley," Andrew said.

"Dig in," Molly urged.

"You don't have to ask me twice," RJ said loading his plate with everything.

"I'll wait until Maddie and Ethan get back from their walk," Saffron said. "They shouldn't be long."

"I think you have a new number one fan," Luna said smiling at Saffron. "Kiera looks happy and content."

"I'm her number one fan as well," Saffron looked down at her niece.

"Maddie and Ethan are so lucky," Darla said. She was alone at the celebration. Hans was back in the States shooting some commercial.

"So are you," Saffron said. "I mean... you just found out you're having a son!"

Darla nodded. "And I'm very happy about that, but I just wish Hans were here to share it with."

"I wish he were here too," Saffron said sympathetically.

"You say the word and we can take care of him for you," Fred told his niece.

Darla shook her head. "I'll be all right."

"Yes you will," Drew said confidently. "You have us."

"That's right," Darla smiled at her twin.

"And we always stick together," Maddie said. "No matter what."

"When did you two get back?" Saffron asked.

"Just now," Maddie said. "How's my little one?"

"Perfect," Saffron reluctantly handed the infant back to Maddie.

"How was your walk?" Drew asked her sister.

"Lovely," Maddie answered.

"Thanks for looking after Kiera for us, Saffy," Ethan said. "We appreciate it."

"I told you, anytime you want," Saffron replied "She's an absolute angel."

"Of course she is," Harry said. "She's a Potter."

"Sure," Ron smirked.

"What's that look for?" Harry asked him with a grin. "You know I'm right."

"You're forgetting the more attractive Weasley side to her," Ron answered.

"And what's the Potter side of her?" Harry asked him. "Chopped liver?"

"That does sound awfully appetizing," Ron said thoughtfully.

Harry threw a dinner roll across the table at his friend.

"Fight!" Noah crowed.

"Fight!" Aidan joined in, banging his fists on the table of his high chair. "Fight! Fight!"

"Nice job Dad," Saffron said wryly.

"I think that Harry and Ron should help Emma with the clean up," Hermione suggested.

"I'm not a child," Harry complained.

"Oh really?" Hermione asked. "Because you and Ron are behaving like children."

"Grandpa can help me," Emma nodded.

"Your Grandpa would be happy to help you," Luna said.

"Yay!" Emma said happily.

"With no magic," Luna said looking at her husband and then at Harry.

Ron groaned. "Who made up that rule?

"We did," Hermione said. "How is it a punishment if you can use your wand to clean?"

Ron sat back sullenly. "Now I don’t' even want to eat."

"I'll have your plate then," RJ said gleefully, reaching for it.

"That's for Grandpa!" Emma shook her finger at him.

"He said he didn't want to eat, Em," RJ told her.

"He still will!" Emma replied.

"That's my girl," Ron said. "Back off, Junior. It was just an expression."

"Whatever," RJ replied.

Saffron looked at Audrey. "You really sure you want to have him meet your family after seeing how savage he is with his food?"

"I'll make sure he behaves," Audrey said with a grin.

"Her parents already love me," RJ said. "I just have to win over the rest of the family."

"Just don't open your mouth then," Saffron cracked.

"She's so funny," RJ said sticking his tongue out at her.

"Mature," Saffron shook her head. "Really mature."

"Ronald Junior, how would you like to join your father, godfather and niece in cleaning up?" Luna asked him.

"Mum!" RJ said, mortified that his mother would chastise him in front of everyone.

Caroline looked at her sister. "If this keeps up, you'll have all the grown-ups helping you, Em," she whispered.

"Let them do it," Emma nodded. "I don't mind!"

Caroline giggled. "The more the merrier, right?"

Emma laughed. "Right, Sissy!"

"No one else is getting in trouble," RJ said. "You'd think we were kids the way they're treating us."

Andrew grinned. "Guess you're just not as grown up as the rest of us RJ."

"Kirke, you are pushing it," RJ said. He was tempted to throw something at his best friend, but he thought better of it.

Andrew's grin grew even wider.

"Don't fall for it," Saffron warned her boyfriend. "He's just trying to get you on kitchen patrol."

"No chance," Andrew slid his arm around her.

Molly grinned at the younger couple. "I must say I'm so happy to see the two of you back together. I can tell when people belong together and you and Andrew belong together, Saffron."

"Thanks Mrs. Weasley," Andrew replied.

"It's been great seeing her smile again," Harry said to his daughter.

Saffron nodded. "I feel like I'm finally putting everything behind me."

"Yes you are," Hermione said beaming at her daughter. "Your life is just beginning, baby."

*** *** ***

After practise the next day, RJ begged off going to the pub with his mates so he could get ready to go to Audrey's aunt's party. He was looking forward to getting to know more of her family.

He'd heard stories about all of them so he felt like he knew them already. He just hoped that they liked him. Because he was magical, he would have to lie to them and he didn't like starting it off like that, but it couldn't be helped.

He and Audrey had agreed he would swing by the pub and they would head over from there.

Jon smiled at his brother from behind the bar. "Who died, Junior?"

"What?" RJ asked. "What are you talking about?"

"You look like you’re dressed for a funeral," Jon said with a grin.

"I thought I looked nice," he said.

Victoria hit Jon on the shoulder. "You do look nice, RJ. Don't listen to your brother."

"Thanks," RJ said gratefully.

"Audrey's in the back getting ready," Victoria told him. "She's really looking forward to tonight."

"Me too," RJ replied, adjusting the coat Audrey had given him for Christmas.

Victoria excused herself to go and let Audrey know RJ was there.

"I'm just giving you a hard time," Jon said to his brother. "You're going to be fine. You're a Weasley. Everyone loves us."

"Her parents already do," RJ told him. "Now I've just got to use my charm on the rest of her family.

"Aud said you were going to tell them that you were a student like her," Jon said.

RJ nodded. "She's told me some things about her University."

"Just remember less is more," Jon told him. "Don't embellish. Be vague."

RJ nodded. "Yeah I know."

Audrey and Victoria came out from the back room and Audrey beamed at her boyfriend when she saw him. "You clean up nice, Weasley."

"Have to for my girl," RJ grinned back at her.

"Are you ready to go then?" Audrey asked.

"Sure," RJ said taking her hand.

"Good luck," Jon said to his brother.

"Thanks," RJ said. "We'll see you lot later."

Audrey grabbed her coat on the way out and RJ helped her with it.

"You look beautiful," RJ said.

"Thanks," she said, blushing just a bit.

"I hope your family likes me," RJ said to her.

"I'm sure they will," she said.

"What's not to like?" RJ asked as they stepped outside. "I'm handsome, charming, funny..."

"Completely modest," Audrey deadpanned.

RJ laughed. "That too."

Audrey snuggled against him. "The house isn't too far from here."

"I didn't realise they lived so close," RJ commented.

"A lot of my family does," Audrey told him.

"You've been holding out on me," RJ said squeezing her hand.

"I have not," she laughed as he poked her side. "We just haven't really had a get together in awhile."

"Unlike my family who gets together on a regular basis to celebrate even the slightest thing," RJ said grinning.

Audrey laughed again. "It doesn't take much, does it?"

"No, it doesn't," RJ said.

She led him down the sidewalk to a townhouse.

"So this is your dear old aunt and uncle's place?" RJ asked looking up at it.

"Yeah," Audrey said. "They've been living in it since they were married. I love it here."

RJ looked at her. "Your uncle is a....salesman, right? And your aunt's a nurse?"

"Right," Audrey beamed at him.

"And they have two children," RJ remembered. "Becca and....Steven?"

"Very good," Audrey said approvingly.

RJ sighed in relief. "I think I'm ready."

"You'll be fine," she gave him a quick kiss. "If you're not sure, just ask me."

RJ took her hand and together they climbed the steps. Audrey knocked on the door.

"Audrey, dear!" Olivia Marlowe opened the door.

"Hi, Aunt Olivia!" Audrey said warmly, giving her aunt a hug.

"We were hoping you'd be here soon," Olivia replied, her eyes moving to RJ.

"Aunt Olivia," Audrey said stepping inside. "This is RJ Weasley."

"Hello," RJ extended his hand. "It's lovely to meet you."

"It's great to finally meet you," Olivia told him. "We've heard so many great things about you. Audrey's quite smitten."

Audrey flushed bright red as RJ grinned at her. "Smitten, eh?"

"I've never used that word," Audrey said rolling her eyes.

"Sure," he teased as he helped her off with her coat then hung his next to hers.

"Everyone's in the sitting room," Olivia told them. "Come on then."

RJ reached for his girlfriend's hand again, his palm a bit sweaty.

There was a crowd of about fifteen people in the sitting room and all conversation seemed to stop when he and Audrey walked into the room.

RJ turned red as Audrey began making introductions around the room. He hoped he'd be able to remember the names and the faces.

RJ felt someone staring at him from across the room and he looked up to see a tall blonde smiling flirtatiously at him.

"This is my cousin Becca," Audrey said, leading him over to the blonde. "We grew up together."

"The one who went shopping with you after Christmas to save me the torture," RJ joked.

"That would be me," Becca drawled. "It's nice to finally meet you, RJ. Audrey talks of nothing else."

"Becca," Audrey blushed.

"You should see me with my best mate Andrew," RJ said. "She's pretty much all I talk about too other than Qui-- football."

Audrey squeezed his hand.

"So you and Audrey are at University together?" Becca asked.

"Yeah," RJ said. "I'm um... I'm there playing football."

"Audrey, dear," her grandmother called out. "Could you come here for a moment?"

"Sure, Gran," Audrey said. She looked at RJ. "I’ll be right back."

RJ nodded, watching her as she hurried across the room.

"Would you like something to drink?" Becca asked him.

"Sure," RJ said. "That'd be great."

Becca grinned. "Coffee? Tea? Or...me?"

"I beg your pardon?" RJ thought he'd heard wrong.

"Only joking," Becca said touching his arm before heading over to the table where the drinks were.

He suddenly felt a bit uncomfortable and hoped Audrey would come back over soon.

Becca came back over with a glass of punch and handed it to him. "Aud says you come from a large family. I imagine you're used to this."

"Yeah, definitely," RJ said.

"You have a lot of brothers and sisters?" Becca asked.

"Five," RJ replied. "Six including me. Two sets of twins and then me and my sister."

"I think I've met your brother at the pub," Becca said thoughtfully. "He's cute, but not as cute as you."

"Thanks..." RJ replied, rubbing the back of his neck.

Becca smiled at him. "Am I making you uncomfortable?"

"No," RJ lied.

"I'm really quite harmless," Becca said setting her glass down on the table.

RJ nodded. "This is a pretty nice house," he said, changing the subject.

Becca looked around the room. "I've lived here all my life."

"How old are you again?" RJ asked.

"I just turned 18," she replied. "Why? Age isn't anything but a number..."

"I'm just curious," RJ drank some of his punch.

"Curious," Becca said thoughtfully. "I have to say I was curious about you, too. I heard enough about you from Audrey and I didn't know if it was all too good to be true."

"What did she say?" RJ asked.

Becca looked over at her cousin who was still talking with their grandmother. "She told me about how handsome you were and what a great kisser you are..."

RJ turned red. "She said that? Really?"

"Mmmhmm," Becca said giving him the once over. "And now that I've seen you in person, I'd have to say you seem to live up to all that she said."

RJ's face grew even redder and he gulped his punch to cover his embarrassment.

"I guess I'll have to take her word on the kissing part," Becca said boldly.

"Um yeah..." RJ said. "I uh... I think I need to use the loo."

"I'll be right here," Becca said winking at him.

RJ nodded and hurried into the hall. He wasn't quite sure which room was the loo so he opened the first door he saw.

"RJ?" Audrey called after him. "Where are you going?"

"The bathroom?" he answered.

"Well, you're not going to find it in the closet," Audrey said with a laugh.

"Sorry," RJ said sheepishly.

"It's okay," Audrey reassured him. "The loo is the third door on the right."

"Thanks," RJ said, smiling at her. "Be right back."

"So far so good," Audrey told him. "My Gran kept telling me what a handsome young man I had."

"I think I like her," RJ replied.

Audrey grinned. "Hurry back."

He gave her a quick kiss. "I will."

Audrey headed back into the sitting room and joined her cousins, Becca and Steven. "You guys really did a great job planning the party. Everything looks great."

"Thanks Aud," Steven gave her a one armed hug. "You were a great help... not." he joked.

Audrey laughed. "Hey, I have work and school! I would have helped if I could..."

"We know," Steven said.

"You can help us with the next one," Becca said with a grin.

"Promise," Audrey replied, laughing.

"So where did Mr. Perfect run off too?" Steven asked her.

"The loo," Audrey said. "He'll be back in a minute."

"He seems nice," Steven asked. "You should bring him around more often."

"I will," Audrey said. "Maybe sometime you, me, RJ and Lilah can go out on a double date."

"We'd love that," Steven said. "Oh, here he comes now...."

"Feeling better?" Audrey teased as she wound her arms around RJ.

"Yeah," RJ replied, avoiding Becca.

"Steven and I were thinking that sometime soon we could double date with him and his girlfriend," Audrey told him.

"Sure," RJ replied with a grin. "That sounds like fun."

"You all are forgetting about me," Becca pouted.

"Bex, we could never forget about you," Audrey said. "You came come with us."

"But I wouldn't have a date," she said, looking meaningfully at RJ.

"I'm sure you could strong arm some poor soul into dating you," Steven teased his sister.

"Becca has a new boyfriend every week," Audrey joked.

"I just haven't found the right one," Becca said smiling demurely at RJ.

"Yeah well... everyone has to go through a few wrongs to find their right," RJ pulled Audrey close to him.

"Having fun is important too," Becca said softly. "It's not always good to settle down too soon. You're only young once."

"Yeah but I believe you can only find the right person once too," RJ countered.

"I think so too," Audrey said happily.

RJ kissed the side of her head. "When do we eat?"

Audrey laughed. "I think I told you all that he's on a strict feeding schedule."

"Once an hour," RJ joked.

"I'm hungry too," Becca said looking pointedly at RJ. "Very, very hungry..."

"I love food," RJ said quickly.

"You should be very pleased with tonight's dinner," Audrey said. "There's quite a bit of food in the kitchen. Gran said she'd been cooking all day."

“It sure smells great,” RJ said. “Makes me even hungrier.”

"She's as good a cook as your Nana," Audrey said. She smiled at her cousins. "You should see the spread that RJ's grandmother puts out for their get togethers. I gained a stone just sitting in front of it."

"Sounds great," Steven said. "I'm all up for that."

"And you should see his nieces and nephews," Audrey said. "They are the cutest, especially Emma. That little girl has a bottomless stomach."

"I love that name," Becca said.

RJ smiled. "Her older sister named her and her middle name is Madeline, after my sister."

"That's so sweet," Becca said, her voice lowering.

Steven called his own girlfriend over to introduce her to RJ. RJ was all too aware of Becca's eyes on him and he wondered what her deal was. If she was so close to Audrey, why was she being so flirtatious with him?

"You'll like Lilah," Audrey was saying. "She's really sweet."

"I'd love some," RJ said absently.

"What?" Audrey asked. "Love some what?"

"What?" RJ asked sheepishly. "I-I guess I zoned out there for a moment. Sorry."

"It's okay," Audrey kissed his cheek.

Audrey's father asked for everyone to go into the dining room.

"Time to eat," RJ said with a grin, taking Audrey's hand in his. "I get to sit next to you right?"

"Of course," Audrey said grinning back at him. "Unless you want to sit beside my great aunt Ida."

RJ laughed. "You win."

He followed his girlfriend into the dining room and frowned when Becca moved fast to sit on his other side.

Becca pulled out her chair and brushed against RJ as she sat down.

RJ sighed. This was going to be a long night.

"Gran, everything looks delicious," Audrey said, unaware of what had just happened.

"Smells almost as good as my nana's meals," RJ chimed in.

"Your young man is loyal," Audrey's grandmother said to her. "I like that."

Audrey grinned. "Very loyal."

"What are you studying at University, RJ?" one of Audrey's uncles asked.

"Um..." RJ quickly looked at Audrey for help.

"He hasn't really declared a focus of study yet, Uncle Richard," Audrey said. "He's still trying to figure things out."

"I enjoy sport," RJ replied.

"We've got season tickets to Manchester's matches," Steven said. "You and Aud should come with us. Right, Dad?"

"Sure," Steven's father replied.

"That would be cool," RJ nodded.

Becca yawned. "Can we please not talk about sport all evening? It's bo-ring!"

Steven rolled his eyes. "What should we talk about? The latest celebrity gossip?"

"It's sight more interesting than football," Becca shot back.

"Okay you two," Olivia said. "Enough."

RJ shared a look with Audrey. This was a little like how he was with Saffron.

"You're doing well," she whispered.

RJ grinned. "You think so?"

"Definitely," she squeezed his hand.

"Your family is great," he whispered.

"You're a shoo-in," Audrey told him. "I knew they'd love you."

RJ felt someone's hand on his thigh and for a second thought it was Audrey.

"Something wrong?" Audrey asked him.

"Uh..." he cast a look at Becca.”No."

Becca smiled innocently at him.

He moved his leg away. "Nothing's wrong."

"How about I fix your plate?" Audrey asked. "You want a little of everything, right?"

"More than a little of everything," he smiled at her.

Audrey grabbed his plate. "I'll be right back."

RJ looked at Becca once Audrey was gone. "Please don't do that," he told her quietly.

"Do what?" she asked sweetly.

"I love Audrey," he said.

"So?" Becca asked picking up her glass. "I love her too. She's like a sister to me."

"She's the only girl for me," he said firmly.

"Is that what you said about ...Alexa, was it?" Becca asked.

His eyebrows knit together. "Beg your pardon?"

"She was your girlfriend before Audrey, right?" Becca asked.

"That was awhile ago," he told her.

"Ancient history?" Becca asked with a grin.

"Yes," RJ said.

Becca opened her mouth to say something else, but Audrey had returned with her and RJ's plates.

Becca stood up. "Did you leave some for me, Aud?"

"A few crumbs," Audrey teased her.

Becca laughed. "I'll be back."

"Everything okay?" Audrey asked. "You look tense."

"I'm fine," RJ said quietly. He looked down at his plate. "This---looks great."

"Eat up," she patted his leg.

RJ offered her a half smile as he picked up his fork. "You--you and Becca are close?"

"We used to be closer when we were kids," Audrey replied.

"But you talked to her about me and Alexa?" RJ asked her.

Audrey looked surprised. "Well... I talked to her a bit about it when Alexa... first lost her memory."

RJ couldn't really say anything to that. He supposed that was a normal reaction given how he'd had to spend so much time with Alexa after that. Audrey probably needed someone to talk to.

"I didn't really get into it," Audrey told him. "Did she say something to you about it?"

"She mentioned it," RJ replied.

"I wouldn't worry about it," Audrey said. "I know how you feel about me."

"I love you," RJ said honestly.

"I love you too," Audrey gave him a quick kiss.

In the kitchen, Steven tapped his sister on her shoulder. "I know what you're trying to do, Becca."

"What do you mean?" Becca asked.

"Batting your eyes at RJ," Steven told her. "Back off of him, Bex. He and Audrey seem very happy."

"I'm not doing anything," Becca shrugged.

"I know you," Steven told her. "Audrey still doesn't know what you did to her last boyfriend."

Becca glared at him.

"Back off of RJ or I'll tell her," Steven warned before he left the kitchen.

Becca threw a bread roll onto her plate, along with a few other things and went back into the dining room.

RJ didn't even look at her as she sat back down beside him.

She pouted a bit but then brightened up. She always did love a challenge.

Audrey's family asked RJ questions throughout the meal. Luckily, they didn't ask him too many questions about University.

"I think I could pass for a Muggle," RJ said once they'd put their coats on and headed out.

"You did very well," Audrey said proudly.

He slid his arm around her. "Just wanted to make you happy."

"You did," Audrey said. "Very happy and my family loved you."

"Long as you love me," RJ told her.

"I do," Audrey said softly. "More than anything."

"I always want to be with you, you know." RJ said.

"I know," Audrey said smiling up at him. She was about lean in for a kiss when Becca called out to them from the door.

"I had a great idea,'" Becca told them. "How about we go down to the pub and celebrate the evening's success?'

It was the last thing RJ wanted to do, but he looked at his girlfriend.

"Bex, I thought you were going to stay behind and help your mum?" Audrey asked.

"I can get out of it," Becca said, her eyes on RJ's.

"Sure," Audrey replied. "That sounds like fun."

RJ nodded, trying not to seem unenthused.

"I'll just get my coat," Becca said before disappearing behind the door.

"We don't have to stay really long if you don't want," Audrey began.

"It's okay," RJ interjected. "One drink and I can tell Jon how well I did."

"That's right," Audrey kissed him.

"Break it up, you two," Becca teased as she came down the steps.

Audrey grinned sheepishly. "Sorry... he makes it hard to stay away."

"I can certainly see that," Becca teased linking her arm with her cousin's. "So do we get a discount since you work at the pub?"

"Oh maybe," Audrey replied.

"Fantastic,'" Becca said.

RJ followed the two girls with a sense of dread.

"Come on slowpoke," Becca turned around.

RJ nodded. "I'm right behind you."

The three of them entered the pub, which was decidedly less crowded than it was earlier. Jon was still behind the counter, busily cleaning some glasses.

RJ asked the girls what they wanted to drink and then left them to go to the bar.

"Hey, Junior," Jon said. "I didn't realise you'd be back tonight. How'd it go?"

"Pretty good," RJ said. "Her family really liked me..."

"As we knew they would," Jon said grinning at his little brother.

"Her cousin is a bit forward," RJ replied.

Jon looked over at the table where Audrey was sitting with Becca. "That her?"

"Yeah," RJ replied. "She wouldn't stop flirting with me."

"Maybe she was just being friendly," Jon said thoughtfully.

"I don't know," RJ said. "She had her hand on my thigh."

Jon winced. "Oh...well I guess that clears things up then."

"I told her that I love Audrey," RJ said quietly. "I don't know what else I can do to make sure she knows."

"I take it she hasn't done any of this in front of Audrey?" Jon asked.

"Audrey was sitting right next to me!" RJ exclaimed in a quiet voice.

Jon gaped at him. "She's a bold little thing, isn't she?"

RJ nodded. "I guess I'll just keep close to Aud." he took the drinks his brother put in front of him.

"Good luck, mate," Jon told him.

"Thanks," RJ said, heading back for the table.

"How's Jon?" Audrey asked him.

"He's fine," RJ told her. "I think he wants to go home and be with the kids."

"He should be heading out soon," Audrey said. "I know he likes to be home to tuck them in."

"And they'll wait up for him to do so," RJ nodded.

"They're the cutest kids," Audrey told her cousin who looked bored.

"I'm not really a kid person," Becca shrugged.

"You would be if you saw these three," RJ told her.

"Are you the favourite babysitter then?" Becca asked, leaning forward.

"They love their Uncle RJ," Audrey told her. She was about to tell her about how RJ would take them flying, but she stopped herself just in time. "You should see RJ reading them a bedtime story..."

"I like to change it up a bit," RJ replied. "They love it."

"He's going to be a great father some day," Audrey said smiling at him.

"I try," RJ said with a grin.

"How about I put on some music?" Audrey asked them. "We put some new things in the jukebox."

"Go for it," Becca replied, sitting back.

"I'll go with you," RJ said, starting to stand up.

"I've got it," Audrey replied.

Reluctantly, he stayed in his seat and watched helplessly as Audrey walked away.

"So here we are alone," Becca said in a sultry voice.

"She's going to be right back," RJ said leaning back in his chair.

"In a few minutes," Becca shrugged.

"I think you're a nice girl, Becca," RJ said. "And you're important to Audrey."

"You're right on both counts," Becca replied.

"And I'd like to be your friend," RJ said. "But, as for anything else, that's not going to happen."

"Uh huh," Becca tipped her head to the side.

"I love Audrey," RJ said. "And I'm not going to do anything to screw that up."

"I didn't say you would," Becca sounded amused.

"I'm just telling you where things stand," RJ said.

"Okay," Becca replied in a neutral tone of voice. "But I'll tell you something too. I don't give up easily."

"She's your cousin," RJ said taken aback.

"I know," Becca replied. "And I love her dearly... but I always get what I want."

RJ couldn't believe she was saying these things. "At Audrey's expense?"

Becca simply smiled.

"Nothing is going to happen between us," RJ said firmly. "Nothing."

She laughed. "If you say so."

"I played that song you love," Audrey said as she sat back down.

RJ nodded, breaking his gaze away from Becca's.

"Do you mind if I steal him away for a dance?" Audrey asked Becca.

"Be my guest," Becca replied.

Audrey stood up again and held out her hand. "May I have this dance?"

"I'm supposed to ask that question," RJ said, taking her hand.

"I like mixing it up, too," Audrey grinned.

RJ pulled her close. He partly wanted to put on a show so Becca could see just how serious he was about Audrey but at the same time he thought he could just keep away from her as much as possible.

Audrey rested her head on his chest. "This is the best part of tonight."

"Yeah it is," he agreed.

"Becca was telling me how much she likes you," Audrey told him.

RJ coughed. "She was?"

"Yeah," Audrey said softly. "When you were at the bar with Jon. "

"Like I said earlier," RJ was eager to move off the topic of her cousin. "Long as you love me..."

"I do," Audrey said smiling up at him. "Very, very much."

RJ gave her a kiss. "Coming over tonight?"

Audrey smiled. "Maybe..."

"What can I do to convince you?" RJ asked softly.

"Breakfast in bed," Audrey said. "For a start..."

"Already done," RJ replied.

"Well, then," Audrey grinned. "We have a deal."

He tightened his hold around her waist and spun her around.

Audrey laughed. "Look at you with the moves!"

"Its all you, love," RJ told her.

Audrey caught her cousin looking in their direction and she gave her a little wave. She knew that Becca loved to play the field, but she wanted her cousin to find a good guy who would help her settle down.

"We don't have to stay that much longer," Audrey whispered to him. "Becca just gets bored sometimes and likes to get out."

"Yeah, I kind of figured," RJ muttered.

"What was that?" she pulled back to look at him.

"I was just agreeing with you," RJ said.

"Oh," Audrey smiled.

"I really liked Steven," RJ told her.

"He and I were always close growing up." Audrey said.

"He told me he'd kick my arse if I hurt you," RJ said.

"What?" Audrey was mortified.

RJ laughed. "It's okay. Jon, Josh, and me would do the same thing when my sisters brought someone home."

"I guess since I don't have any siblings, he's a close second," Audrey said.

"I told him he had nothing to worry about," RJ said. "Because I don't ever want to hurt you again."

"I don't think you will," Audrey told him softly.

RJ leaned in and kissed her.

"I love you," Audrey said dreamily when they pulled apart.

"I love you too," RJ said softly. "How about we get out of here?"

"Let's finish our drinks with Becca then we'll go," Audrey said.

"Right," RJ said taking her hand and leading her back over to the table.

"Couple of the year," Becca greeted them.

Audrey smiled. "Did you see his moves?"

"I sure did," Becca drawled.

RJ took a drink to avoid telling her off.

"We have to get going after this," Audrey told her cousin

"Oh, so soon?" Becca pouted.

"We made other plans for the evening," RJ replied.

"We'll get together again soon," Audrey promised her.

"I'll ring you tomorrow," Becca said, her eyes skipping to RJ's.

Audrey stood up to give her a cousin a hug. "Love you, Bex."

"Kisses," Becca said, her eyes still on RJ.

RJ stood up. "Nice meeting you, Becca."

"It was a real pleasure, RJ," Becca said with a flirtatious smile.

"She's something else, isn't she?" Audrey asked RJ when they were alone.

"Sure is," RJ said.

"So, Mr. Weasley," Audrey said. "You ready to take me out of here?"

"You better believe it," RJ said, waving to his brother. "Later, Jon."

"Later, Junior," Jon said. "Audrey."

"Bye Jon," Audrey smiled at him.

RJ helped her on with her coat. He was glad that they were finally alone and that he didn't have to put up with Becca. But, he also knew that this wouldn't be the last he'd see of her.

244. Authors' note ! Please read concerning the new chapter!

Authors’ note:

Due to some complaints we received and the concerns of some of our reviewers, we’ve tinkered with the last chapter a bit and you will now see a revised Chapter 244. The references to “rape” have been taken out. The actual events though, still happened and Saffron will deal with them. It was never our intention to offend anyone or to break the rules. If we did that, we apologize and we hope that you will still continue to read the story. We love you guys!

245. REVISED CHAPTER: THE PARTY

Authors’ note: This is a revised chapter. We know that some of our readers complained about the content. We don't want to break the rules at porkey so we've altered the chapter to reflect that. We in no way were trying to trivialize the sensitive subject matter and we hope that no one was offended by that because it was never our intention to do that. We hope that you will continue to read our story. We have some great things planned. Again, if we offended anyone, we are truly, truly sorry.

In the last few weeks, Saffron felt more like herself than ever before. It had a great deal to do with her friends and family and especially Andrew. He was going to take her out for a celebration dinner and Alexa had agreed to go along to help her find a dress.

"So do you have any idea where he's going to take you?" Alexa asked as they entered a shop.

"No idea," Saffron said. "Perhaps the Ivy- we used to go there sometimes."

Alexa grinned. "Oooh, that's quite posh."

"Very," Saffron replied, laughing. "So I need to find something extra special."

"May I help you ladies?" the shop girl asked.

Alexa nodded. "My friend is going on a special date and she needs a dress that will knock his socks off."

"Something in black, I think," Saffron said thoughtfully.

"I have a few selections that I think would look lovely on you," the woman said. "I'll be right back."

"Thank you," Saffron replied.

"You guys are so cute," Alexa said smiling at her friend. "I know I've said it before but I'm really happy that you're back together."

"It's been so great," Saffron admitted. "Sometimes it feels like nothing ever changed, you know?"

Alexa nodded. "He loves you so much. You can see in how he looks at you."

"I love him too," Saffron said. "So, so much."

The shop girl came back with about five dresses. "I guessed on the size."

"I'll just go try these on," Saffron took them.

Alexa waited outside the dressing room. while her friend tried on her dresses.

Saffron couldn't wipe the smile off her face as she thought about spending the night with Andrew.

"Let me see!" Alexa called out impatiently.

Saffron pulled back the curtain and stepped out. She was wearing a satin empire waist dress with a v-neck. "What do you think?"

"That's beautiful, Saffy," Alexa said. "Andrew would love it on you!"

"I like it, too," Saffron said. "But it's just the first one. Let me try on the others, too."

"Okay," Alexa said, sitting down.

Saffron tried on the next dress and smiled. "You know if my dad saw me in this one, I don't know if he'd let me leave the house..."

Alexa giggled. "Get out here!"

Saffron stepped out. "Well? What do you think?"

"Wow," Alexa said. "That will definitely stop Andrew in his tracks."

Saffron giggled. "I didn't even know I could have this much cleavage."

"Sometimes you need just the right outfit," Alexa said. "That may be your one."

Saffron nodded in agreement. "I'll just try on the other three..."

"Just in case," Alexa agreed with a grin.

The next two dresses Saffron tried on she didn't really like and Alexa didn't either. But, when Saffron put on the last dress, she knew she'd found the dress. She pulled back the curtain. "Lex?"

"Oh wow," Alexa nodded. "Saffy- that's definitely the one."

"I think so too," Saffron said doing a little twirl.

Alexa laughed. "It's made for you, dah-ling!"

Saffron laughed. "Do you really think so, dah-ling?"

"Oh yes," Alexa began.

"You have some nerve!" a cold voice called out from behind them.

Both girls turned around and were surprised to see Christina Grant glaring at them.

"Christina," Saffron said quietly.

"Potter," Christina said sarcastically. "Glad to see YOU'RE having a great time. Pity we can't say the same for my cousin."

Alexa looked at the older girl. "You have no idea what she's been through, Christina."

"Sod off, O'Leary," Christina said coldly. "This doesn't involve you."

"I'm very sorry about what happened to Sean," Saffron said softly. "I would like nothing more than to bring him back, Christina."

"Well it's because of you that he's dead," Christina said venomously. "My poor aunt and uncle still aren't over it."

Saffron looked down at the floor. She knew Christina was right.

"Sean loved Saffy," Alexa told Christina. "He was protecting her."

"Please," Christina said. "If he hadn't been with her, he'd still be alive today. And here you are joking around and laughing like nothing is wrong!"

Tears welled up in Saffron's eyes.

"Too little, too late, Potter," Christina said before stalking away.

Alexa turned and looked at her best friend. "Saffy...."

"She's right, isn't she?" Saffron asked morosely.

"She's not right at all," Alexa said putting her arms around her friend and hugging her. "Saffy, don't let her ruin this for you."

Saffron shook her head. "I don't know, Lexie."

"I do," Alexa said softly. "You're not responsible for this." Alexa wished she could hex Christina Grant for saying those horrible things. Saffron had come so far these last few weeks.

"I should change," Saffron really didn't feel like shopping anymore. "I have practise in a few hours."

"Okay," Alexa said softly. "I'll be right here."

Saffron wiped her eyes and went to change out of the dress.

As she looked into the mirror in the dressing room, she thought she saw Sean standing behind her.

She whirled around with a gasp.

"Sean?" she asked in a small voice.

"Saffy?" Alexa knocked on the door. "Who are you talking to?"

"No one," Saffron said hastily. "I-I'll just be a minute."

Alexa wanted to kill Christina Grant. She felt sorry for the other girl's family, but there was no reason the blonde needed to come and pull Saffron back down the way she did.

Saffron came out of the dressing room with a tear-stained face.

"Saffy, maybe you could skip practise today," Alexa suggested.

Saffron shook her head. "I can't."

"Saffy---" Alexa started to say.

"I'm so stupid to think that I can just forget about what happened," Saffron said quietly.

"You're not stupid and you don't have to forget what happened, but you have to move past this, Saffy," Alexa said. "Sean loved you and he would not want you to blame yourself. His parents don't blame you."

Saffron shook her head. "I don't deserve to be happy."

"Of course you do!" Alexa exclaimed. "Saffy. This wasn't your fault."

"I need to get out of here," Saffron said.

"We'll pay for your dress and then we'll go back home," Alexa said.

"Why bother?" Saffron asked.

"Because of your date with Andrew," Alexa said going into the dressing room and grabbing the gown. "I'm not going to let you do this, Saffy. Not again."

Saffron only shrugged.

Alexa took the dress to the counter. "We'll be taking this, please," she said firmly.

"Lovely choice," the shop girl said.

Saffron paid for the dress and she and Alexa left the shop. "Let's just go home," she said quietly.

"We should call Andrew," Alexa said reaching for her mobile.

"No," Saffron said. "I just want to go home."

"Okay," Alexa said, cursing Christina Grant silently.

Saffron was silent as they made their way back to the house. "You don't have to stay if you don't want to," she told her friend dully.

"I want to," Alexa said. "Is anyone home?"

"I don't know," she said.

"Mrs. Potter?" Alexa called out. "Mr. Potter?"

No one answered, but Puddles scurried into the room and made a beeline for Saffron.

"Hey baby," Saffron said softly, reaching for her dog.

Alexa smiled. "He's always happy to see his Saffy."

Saffron managed a tiny smile.

"I'll make us some tea," Alexa said.

"Okay," Saffron said as Puddles licked at her face.

Alexa reluctantly left her friend and headed into the kitchen.

"I'm not a good person, Puddles," Saffron said quietly to her dog.

Puddles looked up at her and whimpered.

"At least you'll never leave me," Saffron sat down.

Puddles rested his head on her lap. Saffron leaned her head back and closed her eyes. Christina Grant's words echoed in her head.

"I killed him," she whispered. "I killed Sean."

Nothing could change that---not Andrew, not her parents, not her brother or sister. It was the cold, hard truth.

"Here," Alexa brought two steaming mugs of tea into the sitting room. "This should help you feel better."

"Thanks, Lexie," Saffron said quietly.

"I won't let you do this to yourself," Alexa told her.

"How can you be my friend after what I've done?" Saffron asked her.

"You haven't done anything!" Alexa exclaimed.

"I killed Sean," Saffron said reaching for her mug of tea.

"No you didn't," Alexa said firmly. "Saffy--"

"I might not have set the curse, but it was because of me that he was hit with it," Saffron interjected. "And I've been going through life, as if it didn't happen..."

"You have to move on," Alexa told her. "Sean wouldn't want you to dwell on this."

"We don't know what he'd want since he's not here," Saffron said morosely.

"Yes we do," Alexa argued.

"If you weren't friends with me, you'd never have lost your memories," Saffron said.

"Saffy," Alexa shook her head. "That's not true."

"It is true!" Saffron shot back.

"I don't care," Alexa retorted. "Saffy, I love you to death. I don't care if I never got my memories back if it meant not having you as my friend!"

Saffron started to sob. "Lexie---"

Alexa hugged her tightly.

"I'm so sorry," Saffron sobbed into her friend's shoulder. "I'm so sorry!"

"You have no reason to be," Alexa soothed her. "You didn't ask for that to happen to you, Saffy."

"He---he was such a great guy," Saffron said softly. "He didn't deserve this. It was my fault for leading him on when I still loved Andrew..."

"You did not lead him on," Alexa said. "You were trying to move on."

Saffron nodded. "I tried."

"You did," Alexa said. "And Sean's death was NOT your fault. Not in any way."

Saffron wiped at her eyes. "Lexie, you're my best friend. I-I don't know what I'd do without you."

"You'll never have to find out," Alexa told her.

Saffron hugged her friend. "Thanks, Lexie."

"You don't pay her any attention," Alexa said. "You know she'd do anything to hurt you."

"He was her family," Saffron said quietly. "I wonder what she was doing back in London."

"Who knows," Alexa shook her head. "I hope we never see her again.

"My parents said she didn't come back for the funeral," Saffron told her.

"You know she only cares about herself," Alexa said.

Saffron nodded. "Yeah...but her words rang true. I mean, there we were having a good time..."

"You have EVERY right to enjoy yourself!" Alexa exclaimed.

"Really?" Saffron asked in a small voice.

"Of course!" Alexa said.

Puddles barked in agreement which caused Saffron to smile slightly.

"There you go," Alexa encouraged.

Saffron sighed. "This is such a mess."

"It doesn't have to be," Alexa said. "You were doing great. There's no need to regress."

"I don't want to," Saffron said quietly.

"Good," Alexa said. "You're going to be fine, Saffy. You have all your family, me, Gabe, and Andrew to help you."

"I love you guys so much," Saffron said. "I never would have gotten through any of this without you."

"We love you too," Alexa put an arm around her.

Saffron rested her head on Alexa's shoulder. "You're the best."

"No, you are," Alexa countered.

Saffron wiped at her eyes. "Me? I'm a snivelling, sobbing mess."

"But you're a gorgeous, snivelling mess," Alexa teased.

"With really frizzy hair," Saffron laughed.

"Stop fishing for compliments," Alexa replied.

"Okay," Saffron said with a smile. She reached for her tea and took a sip.

"That's better," Alexa said.

"Much," Saffron said softly. "This is really good."

"It's your favourite," Alexa replied.

"You remembered," Saffron said softly.

"Could never forget that," Alexa smiled.

"I still can't believe you're really going to leave," Saffron said. "When you go, I'll be an ever worse mess than I am right now."

"You will not," Alexa said. "And I'm not going for another six months."

"Thank Merlin for that," Saffron said.

"But I'll always be here when you need me," Alexa promised.

"You always have been," Saffron said.

"Just as you have for me," Alexa said.

"Best friends," Saffron said smiling at her. "Through thick and thin."

"Absolutely," Alexa agreed.

"I should really get ready for practise," Saffron told her.

Alexa nodded. "I have to get to the bakery. I promised my mum I'd help her today."

"Thanks again for today," Saffron said.

"Anytime," Alexa told her.

"I'll ring you afterwards," Saffron promised.

"Sounds good," Alexa said.

Saffron walked her friend over to the fireplace.

"Happy thoughts," Alexa told her. "Okay?"

Saffron nodded. "Happy thoughts."

Alexa grabbed a handful of Floo powder. "I'll see you later."

Saffron nodded again as her friend disappeared.

She grabbed her mug and headed upstairs with Puddles in tow. Perhaps practise would be just what she needed to keep her mind off of what had happened with Christina.

She changed and headed over to Puddlemere's stadium. Being alone in the locker room didn't scare her as much as it used to.

"Hey," RJ greeted her as she came onto the pitch.

"Hey," Saffron replied.

"You all right?" he asked.

Saffron nodded. "I'm fine." She didn't want to tell him about what had happened.

"You look upset," he persisted.

"I'm okay," Saffron said. "I'm just a little knackered. I didn't sleep well last night and Alexa and I went shopping earlier."

RJ studied her closely for a moment. "If you say so..."

"I do," Saffron said. She looked up at the sky. "It looks like it might rain."

"We've played in worse," RJ shrugged.

"I know," Saffron said. "Remember that match against Ravenclaw that we played in the middle of a blizzard?"

"I'll never forget it," RJ said ruefully.

"I forgot," Saffron said nudging him. "That was your best match ever!"

"Shut it," RJ told her.

Saffron laughed. "Come on, you always loved talking about it in the past."

RJ shook his head.

Saffron laughed again as she followed him to the middle of the pitch. She didn't realise that two figures were watching her from behind the stands.

"I thought you said you took care of it," Daniel said angrily. "She looks pretty happy to me."

Christina glared at him. "She was crying in the store, okay?"

Daniel glared at her. "I guess I'm going to have to take care of this myself."

"As if you've been able to do any better," Christina snapped.

"I had her in my pocket New Year's Eve," Daniel shot back. "Until Kirke showed his ugly mug..."

"Whatever," Christina said. "I can't believe I came back from Amsterdam for this."

"At least you were able to see your old boyfriend," Daniel said coldly. "Weasley really did it for you, did he?"

"Not especially," Christina sneered.

Daniel pulled her to him and kissed her hard. "You and I both want this, Chris."

Christina had a hard time staying angry with him after that.

"We're having a team party after practise," Daniel said. "Weasley's not going to be there so this is my chance."

"Why not?" Christina asked.

"Something having to do with his Muggle girlfriend," Daniel shrugged.

Christina snorted. "Great."

"He won't be there watching out for her and I'll be able to make my move," Daniel told her.

"Then do it," Christina replied. "And don't let Kirke get in the way this time."

"He's not going to," Daniel said firmly.

"Good," Christina replied.

Daniel gave her one last kiss. "I'll see you later."

"Your place," she said, winking at him.

"Deal," Daniel said heading out on the pitch.

Saffron saw him coming, and due to the confrontation with Christina, felt her heart freeze in her chest. He really did look so much like Sean.

"Afternoon, Potter," Daniel said winking at her.

"Hi," she said, looking away.

"Looking good as always," Daniel said grabbing his broom.

"Leave her alone, O'Neal," RJ said coldly.

"Is it a crime to say hello to a teammate now?" Daniel asked sarcastically.

"Leave her alone," RJ stated again.

"Whatever you say," Daniel said before mounting his broom and kicking off from the ground. He zoomed into the sky.

"So, you aren't going to the party tonight?" Saffron asked RJ when they were alone.

"Audrey and I have plans," RJ replied.

"I'll probably put in a brief appearance," Saffron said. "I'm just not in the mood for a party."

"I knew something was wrong with you," RJ said.

"I-I ran into Christina Grant when I was shopping with Lexie," Saffron admitted.

"WHAT?" RJ roared.

"I was surprised as you were," Saffron told him. "I thought she was still in Amsterdam."

"She's probably only back to cause trouble," RJ said furiously. "What did she say to you?"

"She saw Lexie and me having a good time and she brought up Sean," Saffron said quietly.

RJ shook his head. "If I see her--"

"Hopefully you won't," Saffron said. "Hopefully this was just a one and done visit."

"She has no business bringing him up," RJ said.

"He was her cousin," Saffron said. "In her own way, I'm sure she cared about him."

"Christina Grant cares about herself," RJ said.

"It means a lot to me that you want to look out for me," Saffron said giving him a hug. "But you don't have to worry."

"I'll always worry about you, you brat," RJ said affectionately.

Saffron smiled. "Thanks, RJ."

"Come on," he said. "Let's practise."

Saffron grabbed her broom. "That sounds like a plan."

Saffron flew up into the air and Daniel zoomed over to her.

"O'Neal," Saffron nodded at him.

"You look good on a broom," he winked at her.

Saffron rolled her eyes. "Go away."

"Can't a bloke pay a compliment to a good looking girl?" he asked.

Saffron ignored him.

"I'm really not a horrible guy," he said.

"Says you," Saffron muttered.

"You don't even know me," he pointed out.

"I know you well enough," Saffron said. "You know, if you want to impress the coach, you probably shouldn't be flying around me trying to flirt."

"I'm just trying to be honest with you," Daniel said.

"You?" Saffron asked with a laugh. "Honest?"

"You're basing your opinion of me off what other people said," Daniel pointed out.

"Do you remember what you said about me the other day in front of Andrew?" Saffron asked him, wishing that he'd just fly away and leave her alone.

He shrugged. "We all have our bad days."

"You seem to have more than your fair share," Saffron retorted. She tried to watch the practise match that was going on, but Daniel seemed to have other plans.

"What say we start over?" Daniel asked. "My full name is Daniel Sean O'Neal."

Saffron nearly fell off her broom. "W-what?"

"Are you okay?" he asked, pretending to be concerned.

"I--I'm fine," Saffron stammered, steadying herself on her broom. "Just fine."

"You sure?" he asked, reaching out for her.

"Yes," Saffron said hastily. "Of course, I am, Sean."

Daniel tried not to smile in triumph.

"Saffy, what are you doing?" RJ yelled in her direction.

Saffron whirled around. "Um... I have to go."

"Of course," Daniel said smoothly.

"See you later," Saffron mumbled before heading towards RJ.

Daniel grinned. He had her right where he wanted her.

“What the hell were you doing with him?” RJ asked her.

"Nothing," Saffron muttered. "He was doing all the talking. I just wished he'd go away and leave me alone."

RJ cast a dark look at O'Neal. "I don't trust him."

Saffron didn't either, but he looked so much like Sean. All these buried emotions and guilt came up every time she looked at him.

"You all right?" RJ asked.

"I'm fine," Saffron reassured him, but she knew it was a lie. "I'll pay more attention now. I promise."

"I get worried about you," RJ replied.

"I'm okay," Saffron told him. "It as a little disheartening to see Christina today, but Lexie and I talked about it."

"I'm glad she was with you," RJ said. "If I see Christina, I'll give her a piece of my mind."

Saffron smiled. "My big protector..."

"When Andrew can't be," RJ grinned back at her.

Saffron thought about her boyfriend and wished he were here right now to put his arms around her and tell her everything was going to be okay. "Thanks, RJ."

"Have fun at that party," RJ told her. "Don't let this get you down."

Saffron reached a free hand out and squeezed RJ's hand. "Thanks."

"I have to get going- Aud's waiting for me at the flat." RJ said. "See you later, Saf."

"Tell her I said hello," Saffron said pointing her broom in the direction of the ground. "I'll see you tomorrow."

RJ headed towards the locker rooms and Saffron went to hers to shower and get dressed.

She wanted nothing more than to go home or go to Andrew's, but she knew she should put in an appearance at the party. With the exception of one, she liked all of her teammates.

RJ told her that Scanlon usually hosted the best parties there were and she was eager to see that for herself. Maybe this was just what she needed to get her mind off of Sean's death.

She finished getting dressed and left the stadium, heading towards Scanlon's townhouse near Diagon Alley.

The party was already in full swing when she got there. Scanlon had not only invited the team and some of the employees but also some of his assorted friends. Now she really wished she'd brought Andrew. Saffron set her bag down with her cloak and headed over to see Scanlon.

"Potterette!" Scanlon exclaimed when he saw her. "What's your poison?"

"What?" Saffron asked.

"To drink?" Scanlon asked her. "What can I get you to drink?"

"Um... just a soda, or some juice," Saffron replied.

"Taking it easy," Scanlon nodded. "That's cool. One juice coming your way."

"Thanks," Saffron said gratefully.

Daniel arrived a few minutes later and he grinned when he saw Potter talking to Scanlon and some of their other teammates. She'd shown up after all.

He reached into his pocket for the little parcel Christina had given him before he left for the party.

This held the key to what would happen tonight.

He sauntered casually over to the table and got himself a drink, then looked around to see where Potter had gotten to.

He spotted her heading toward the kitchen and he smiled to himself.

"Hey you," he said with a grin once he'd cornered her.

Saffron rolled her eyes. "Go away, Daniel."

"Come on now," Daniel said. "Why do you hate me so much?"

"Let's see," Saffron said sarcastically. "You took advantage of me on New Year's Eve. You insulted me in front of my boyfriend and nearly had your face knocked in and you've been nothing but trouble for me from the first moment I met you. Is that enough or should I go on?"

"Well like I said earlier, why can't we start over?" he asked.

"I don't know if you know this about me, but I hold grudges," Saffron told him. "And I don't think I'm going to let this one go. So, if you'll excuse me..."

Daniel looked after her in dismay. This was going to be much harder than he thought.

Saffron walked over to the kitchen table where Scanlon had set up the food. She grabbed a plate.

"Those are good," Daniel had followed her.

Saffron wondered what Daniel's problem was. What part of get lost was he not getting? She decided to ignore him and hope that he'd get the hint.

"I think I'll have some too," he said, reaching into his pocket for the packet.

"Hey, Potter!" Scanlon called out to her. "Come here a minute!"

Saffron sighed in relief and set her plate down before crossing the room to see what Scanlon wanted.

Daniel was glad to see she'd left her glass behind. Quickly, he opened the packet and dropped two pills into her drink.

"I wanted to introduce you to Bianca," Scanlon told Saffron. "This is my girlfriend."

"Hi," Saffron said. "It's lovely to meet you!"

"It's great to meet you," Bianca said smiling at her. "Joe has been telling me all about how great a player you are."

"Thanks," Saffron flushed. "It's only been one game, but..."

"But she's already turned our team around," Scanlon said proudly.

"We definitely have to get to the Cup," Saffron nodded.

"I think you've got it in the bag," Bianca said. "Come on, Joe. Let's go dance."

"I do what I'm told," Scanlon joked, following his girlfriend.

Saffron smiled as she watched them. Maybe the notorious player Scanlon was going to settle down. She walked back into the kitchen and was relieved to see it was a Daniel-free zone.

She fixed a plate and took her drink into the sitting room, watching everyone joke and talk.

Saffron figured she'd have her food and mingle for a bit before heading out. She really wanted to see Andrew.

Daniel watched her from across the room. "Drink it," he muttered.

Saffron picked up her glass and took a sip.

"Yes," he said, making a fist.

He watched triumphantly as she took another sip of her drink. This was going to be easy. The best part was that Weasley wasn't here to watch over her like he always did.

Saffron blinked as the room swam before her eyes for a moment.

"How are you doing?" Daniel asked sitting down beside her.

"Fine..." Saffron swallowed.

"You want a refill on that drink?" Daniel asked her smoothly.

"Okay," Saffron said dazedly. "I'm... thirsty..."

Daniel took her glass. "Don't go anywhere, beautiful."

"Okay Sean," Saffron gazed at him.

Daniel grinned as he walked away.

Saffron felt the room spinning around her. What was going on?

From across the room, she saw Sean coming toward her carrying a glass. He was here. He was alive and he was okay. "S-Sean."

"Here you go, gorgeous," Daniel grinned at her.

"You're okay, Sean," Saffron whispered.

"Of course I'm okay," Daniel replied, sliding his arm around her. "I'd never leave you."

Saffron reached up and touched his cheek. "I'm so sorry."

"For what?" he asked softly.

"For what I did to you," Saffron said, her lower lip trembling. "I never meant for you to get hurt." She threw her arms around him and hugged him tightly.

"I'm not hurt," Daniel said, rubbing her back. "I'm right here."

Saffron sobbed into his shoulder. "Oh, Sean!"

"Come on," Daniel said. "Let's get out of here."

"W-where?" Saffron stammered. "Sean? I don't feel too good."

"I'll take care of you," Daniel told her.

He helped her to her feet and stumbled just a little. The room was still spinning. The only thing that she could focus on was Sean. Somewhere in the back of her head, she wondered why he didn't sound like he always had.

"Come on Saf," he said, guiding her down the hall.

Saffron followed him willingly. She wanted to talk to him some more and find out how he'd been able to survive.

"Here seems nice," Daniel opened the door to Scanlon's guest bedroom.

"Sean," Saffron whispered. "It's so dark in there."

Daniel turned on a lamp, bathing the room in a dim light. "Better?" he asked, closing the door and locking it.

Saffron nodded. "I really don't feel so good, Sean."

"Lie down," Daniel replied.

Saffron did as he asked and it seemed to help her equilibrium.

"Better?" Daniel asked, lying next to her.

Saffron closed her eyes. "Yes."

He stroked her hair back gently.

"Andrew," Saffron whispered. "I need to tell you about Andrew, Sean."

"You can tell me whatever you want," Daniel said softly, grinning triumphantly.

Saffron felt his lips on hers, but she didn't stop him.

"I've been waiting for this," Daniel trailed his mouth over her skin.

"Sean," Saffron whispered as a single tear fell down her cheek.

"I'm here," Daniel wiped it away.

"You're here," Saffron repeated.

"I sure am," he smiled at her.

Saffron felt him tugging at her jumper. "Sean, wait---Andrew..."

"I wanted this, Saffy," Daniel told her. "For so long..."

"Andrew," Saffron whimpered. "I love Andrew."

"And I always loved you, Saffy." Daniel replied. "Even now... after everything that's happened."

Saffron opened her eyes and saw Andrew's face looking down at her. "Andrew? Sean's alive. Sean's alive and he's okay..."

Daniel was confused. Was the drug making her go mad?

"Everything's going to be okay," Saffron whispered. "Now, it's okay."

Daniel kissed her again, sneaking his hand back under her jumper.

"You're so beautiful," Daniel whispered. "So very beautiful..."

"Sean," Saffron whispered. "I owe you so much."

"Just let me show you how much I missed you," Daniel whispered. "That's all I want."

"Okay," she uttered softly.

Daniel grinned. This really had been too easy. He'd expected more of a challenge. Kirke wouldn't want to touch Saffron once Daniel was finished with her and she'd be so heartbroken over all of this, she'd lose her edge and the starting position as Seeker would be his.

Saffron closed her eyes as Sean kissed her again. Her head had grown so fuzzy she couldn't even think straight.

"Saffy," Daniel whispered kissing her neck. "Just relax..."

"I am," she breathed.

Daniel smiled down at her. She had no idea what was going on, did she?

"Kiss me," Saffron said.

"Whatever you want, sweetheart," Daniel said brushing his lips against hers.

A few hours later, Saffron awoke with an aching head. She didn't know where she was or how she'd gotten here.

She turned onto her side, her arm reaching out to find an empty bed. Suddenly, she was aware of the fact that she was nude under the covers. "A-Andrew?" she called out uncertainly.

There was no answer. Confused, Saffron sat up, her head spinning.

She could hear the muffled sound of music coming from somewhere. "Andrew?"

He still didn't answer. Saffron put her head in her hands as she tried to recollect what had happened.

Scanlon's party. That was the last thing she remembered. She was just going to make an appearance and then leave.

Saffron pushed back the covers and found her clothing scattered on the floor. Stumbling against the wall, she struggled to get her garments back on.

There was a ringing sound coming from her bag and her hands were shaking as she answered it. "Hello?"

"There you are," Andrew's warm voice replied. "I thought you were coming by."

"Um..." Saffron tried to clear her head. "I think so..."

"You sound a little funny," Andrew said. "What's wrong, baby?"

"I don't know," Saffron replied. "I feel... sort of sick."

"Scanlon's party," Andrew said. "I knew I should have warned you. Those can get out of hand. You want me to come and pick you up?"

"No," Saffron said quickly. "No."

"Are you sure?" Andrew asked. "I don't mind."

"I'll be okay," Saffron said.

The bedroom door opened and Saffron gasped when she saw who it was. "Saffy?" Andrew asked. "Saffy, what is it?"

"What are you doing here?" she asked, unexpected tears filling her eyes.

"I came to check on you," Daniel said grinning at her. "You---you were amazing."

"What?" Saffron asked. "What are you talking about?"

"Saffy?" Andrew's voice called out to her. "What the hell is going on? Who's there?"

"Andrew I have to go," Saffron said.

"Saffy, are you still at Scanlon's?" Andrew started to ask, but Saffron had clicked off the phone.

"Why are you here?" Saffron asked again. "And how did you know I was in here?"

"Come on now," Daniel said stepping into the room. "Don't tell me you forgot what we did."

A pinprick of dread needled it's way into her stomach. "What we did?"

"Mmmhmm," Daniel murmured. "You were a wildcat, Saffron Potter."

She stared at him in horror.

"Don't worry," Daniel said. "It's not going to affect our professional relationship in the slightest. We can both handle this."

Saffron sat down on the bed, her legs feeling like jelly.

"What's wrong?" Daniel asked.

"We didn't..." the words caught in her throat. "We couldn't have..."

"We did," Daniel said. "I have the scratches on my back to prove it. You sure do like it rough, don't you?"

"No," Saffron buried her face in her hands.

There was no way that she could have done THAT with the likes of Daniel O'Neal.

She pulled her jumper on quickly. "I have to get out of here," she muttered.

"Is this because of Kirke?" Daniel asked. "Don't worry. I won't tell."

"Just leave me alone," Saffron snapped.

"Okay, okay," Daniel held up his hands. "But you weren't saying that a few hours ago..."

"I didn't have sex with you!" Saffron denied.

"Deny it if you want," Daniel said standing up. "But, it doesn't change the fact that it happened."

"I would never stoop that low," Saffron said, the words thick.

Daniel chuckled. "I'm the one who should be upset. Seeing as you called me by another bloke's name at one point."

"Shut up!" Saffron snapped.

"Who's Sean?" Daniel asked her. "Hmm?"

"Don't you talk to me about Sean," Saffron's voice shook as a few memories started coming back to her.

"Sorry that I touched a nerve," Daniel said reaching for her hand.

"Get AWAY from me!" Saffron shouted.

Andrew knocked on the front door. The party was just starting to disband. He'd known something wasn't right with his girlfriend and despite what she'd said, he couldn't just let this go and wait for her. He had to see for himself that she was okay. Joe Scanlon opened the door. "Hey, Andrew. What's going on, mate?"

"Hey," Andrew said. "Is Saffron here?"

"I haven't seen her in awhile," Scanlon admitted. "But you're welcome to come in and look."

"Thanks," Andrew stepped inside.

"I'm surprised you didn't come up with Saffy," Scanlon said. "We'd have made an exception for you even if you are on a bloody horrible team."

"Yeah sure," Andrew grinned. "I thought she was only going to stay for a little while then come over."

"That's a great girl you have," Scanlon told him.

"She's the best," Andrew agreed.

Scanlon called out to a teammate asking him if he'd seen Saffron.

"Not for awhile, mate," the other bloke replied. "I saw her heading back there a few hours ago. Maybe she went to lie down and fell asleep."

"I'll go and see," Andrew said, clapping Scanlon on the back.

"Stick around for awhile," Scanlon waved him on before turning back to his own girlfriend.

Andrew knew he was probably overreacting, but he had to see for himself that she was truly okay.

"Saffy?" he called. "You down here?"

"Leave me alone!" he heard his girlfriend shouting.

Andrew shoved open the door and saw red when Daniel O'Neal came into view.

"Hello, Kirke," Daniel said grinning at him. "Nice of you to join us."

"What the hell are you doing here?" Andrew asked.

"Maybe you should ask your girlfriend," Daniel said motioning to Saffron.

"Andrew let's go," Saffron said, her face pale.

"Are you okay?" Andrew asked crossing the room and kneeling before her. "Did he-did he touch you?"

"I just want to go home," Saffron said, not looking at him.

"Sure," Andrew said offering her his hand.

Saffron couldn't even look Daniel in the face as she hurried out of the bedroom.

"If I find out that you laid a finger on her," Andrew warned Daniel.

"Have a nice day, Kirke," Daniel said coldly.

Andrew hurried after his girlfriend who was waiting for him just outside. "Saffy?"

"I just want to get out of here," Saffron said.

"I'll take you back to my place," Andrew told her.

She shook her head. "I want to go home."

"Oh, okay," Andrew said taken aback. Something had obviously happened and he wished she'd tell him what it was. "Saffy, did something happen with O'Neal?"

Saffron shook her head and hurried ahead of him.

Andrew brought her home and helped her inside. Her parents were already asleep.

"Thanks," Saffron said quietly.

"Talk to me," Andrew said.

"I'm fine," Saffron said. "Just tired."

"I know you," Andrew said. "Something happened."

"Nothing happened!" Saffron said. "I just don't feel good and I'm tired!"

Andrew looked at her. She didn't usually snap at him like that. "You want me to go?"

"I just want to be alone," Saffron looked away from him.

"Don't shut me out," Andrew said softly. "If he tried something or if he hurt you, you could just tell me. I want to help you, Saffy."

"I just want to be alone," Saffron's eyes filled with tears.

"Okay," Andrew said reluctantly. If Saffron wasn't going to tell him, he'd go back to Scanlon's and get it out of O'Neal.

"Good night," Saffron wiped at her eyes.

"I love you," Andrew whispered.

"I love you too," Saffron managed.

Andrew stepped forward and kissed her on the forehead. "Nothing that happened tonight could change how I feel about you," he told her. "Nothing."

Saffron's face crumpled at her boyfriend's sweet words.

"I'll ring you tomorrow and see how you're doing okay?" Andrew asked her.

"If you want," Saffron hugged her arms around herself.

"Of course I want," Andrew said smiling reassuringly at her. "I love you."

She wondered if he would still say the same thing after knowing what she had done that night.

Andrew hugged her one last time before he left. He didn't know if O'Neal would still be at the party, but he had to take a chance.

He went right into the party and scanned the room for O'Neal. He saw him chatting up a black haired girl in the corner.

"O'Neal," Andrew said grabbing the other bloke by the shoulder and turning him around.

"Kirke," Daniel gave him a dirty look. "I'm busy here."

"I don't care," Andrew shot back. "Maybe she'd like to hear what you were doing with my girlfriend?"

"Nothing," Daniel smirked.

"Bullshit," Andrew said shoving him. "Tell me what you did to her!"

"She won't talk to you, eh?" Daniel asked with a grin.

"Did you force yourself on her?" Andrew asked shoving him again. "She couldn't even look at me, you bastard! Tell me what you did!"

"Hey," Scanlon came over. "What's going on here?"

"Your teammate did something to Saffy," Andrew said. "And I want to know what."

"O'Neal?" Scanlon asked.

"Nothing happened that she didn't want," Daniel replied.

Andrew lunged at him again.

Scanlon grabbed hold of Andrew and held him back. "Don't do it, mate. He's not worth it!"

"I want to know what he did!" Andrew roared.

Daniel chuckled. "Like I said, nothing she didn't want. She was begging for it, mate. Couldn't keep her hands off of me."

"She would never stoop that low," Andrew said angrily.

"If that makes you feel better," Daniel shrugged. "Now, if you'll excuse me...."

Andrew lunged for him again.

This time, Scanlon let Andrew go.

"You son of a bitch," Andrew shoved him against the wall. "YOU DID SOMETHING TO HER!"

"GET OFF ME!" Daniel yelled at him, just before Andrew's fist connected with his nose.

"If you don't tell me what happened--" Andrew began, drawing his fist back again.

"I shagged her," Daniel bragged. "Okay? I would have thought that would have been self-explanatory."

Andrew was livid. "I'm going to kill you," he seethed.

"Nothing happened that she didn't want," Daniel said angrily. "Look, she and I had a few drinks. The next thing I know, she's asking me to go upstairs with her. One thing led to another and----"

Now Andrew felt like he'd been slugged in the stomach.

"That doesn't sound like Potter," Scanlon said doubtfully.

"Hey," Murphy came forward. "I didn't say anything before because I didn't think anything of it, but I saw O'Neal putting something into her drink when you called her over to meet Bianca, Scanlon."

Andrew grabbed Daniel by the collar. "What'd you put in her drink?"

"I don't know what you're talking about--" Daniel began.

"Tell us what you put in that drink," Scanlon told him sternly. "Or I'll bring the coach and management into this, O'Neal. By the time they're through with you, you wouldn't even be able to play a pickup game."

"Tell me," Andrew tightened his hold on O'Neal's collar.

O'Neal remained silent.

Scanlon looked at him. "Need I remind you who her father is, O'Neal? I don't reckon you'd like to be on the other end of his wand, would you?"

"Or her mother's," Andrew said darkly.

Daniel gulped.

Murphy came forward. "I found this glass in your guest room, Scanlon." He held out the glass.

Scanlon took the half full cup. "Can we get this tested somewhere?"

"Hermione Potter would be only too happy to see what it is," Andrew said tightening his grip on O'Neal.

"You can't prove anything," Daniel wheezed.

"I've got a room full of people who beg to differ," Scanlon said. "In fact, I think I'll firecall the Aurors right now. Maybe Ethan Potter's on duty."

Daniel felt fear for the first time as Scanlon went to the fireplace.

"Wait!" Daniel called out. "I-I'll tell you."

Scanlon turned around and Andrew let O'Neal's collar go.

"I picked it up in Knockturn Alley," Daniel said trying to catch his breath. "It's a---it's a variation of the Amorentia potion. It's a powder that lowers the inhibitions and causes the drinker to confuse reality."

"That's illegal," Murphy said angrily. "I read about some wizards using that to take advantage of witches!"

Scanlon was pissed. "O'Neal--"

Andrew drew back and hit O'Neal again and again.

Murphy and Scanlon both tried to pull him off. "Bianca! Firecall the Aurors right now!"

It felt like hours, but was only moments before Ethan was in the room pulling Andrew off Daniel. "What's going on here?" he asked, looking between his sister's boyfriend and team mate.

Andrew couldn't even bring himself to say what O'Neal had done to Saffron.

Scanlon handed Ethan the cup. "O'Neal here put some drugs into Saffron's drink."

"What?" Ethan asked taken aback. "Where's Saffy? Did he do something to her?"

"Tell him," Andrew said furiously to Daniel.

Daniel looked at Andrew. "About you attacking me, you mean? I need a healer!"

Andrew made a move to grab him by the collar again. "Tell him what you did to his sister, O’Neal.”

"I didn’t do anything!” Daniel replied defiantly.

"He drugged her then took her upstairs," Andrew choked out.

Ethan gave the glass to another Auror and advanced on the younger man. "What are you telling me here?”

"She wasn't pushing me away!" Daniel said angrily. "I shagged her. End of story."

"Because of that powder you put in her damn drink!" Scanlon exclaimed.

"You are in some major trouble," Ethan warned the younger man. "The only reason I'm NOT kicking the shit out of you is because I'm an Auror."

Justin held up the glass. "I'll send this to the lab right away. We'll book it as evidence."

"You come with us," Ethan said to Daniel.

"What are you going to do to him?" Scanlon asked.

"If it tests positive, he'll be booked in on charges," Ethan replied. "Andrew... can you go... get Saffron? She needs to be tested as well."

"Of course," Andrew said without hesitation. "Should--should we tell your parents?"

Ethan nodded grimly. "We can't keep this from them. My father's going to go ballistic."

"Pity poor O'Neal when they find out," Scanlon said shaking his head. "Merlin, I'm sorry this happened here, Ethan. If I'd known---"

Ethan nodded. "I know."

"I'll go and get Saffron and bring her to headquarters," Andrew promised.

"Thanks," Ethan said, taking O'Neal by the arm. He wanted nothing more than to kill this bloke standing next to him.

His little sister had been through more than her fair share of problems these last few months. This was the last thing she needed. He couldn't imagine what she was feeling right now.

Andrew arrived at the Minister's mansion, wondering how on earth he was going to tell her parents what had happened.

246. Chapter 246

Authors’ note: Thank you to those of you who have supported us in the past week. There was some questions as to what exactly we revised in the last chapter. There were a few complaints about the scene so the mods contacted us and asked us if that scene was necessary. We edited the chapter to take out the scene that blatantly described what happened. We did that to comply with the rules of this site. We are sorry if we offended anyone, but the truth of the matter is that things like this happen every day. We were not trying to make light of it in anyway. We hope that you will continue to read because we have some really great things planned. Thanks again for all the support! We appreciate you guys very much!

The house was dark. Andrew figured Saffron had gone upstairs to her room.

He made his way upstairs and knocked on her door softly. "Saffy?" he called.

"Andrew?" Saffron asked sitting up in bed. She hadn't been asleep. She'd been racking her brain to remember what had happened that night and if it was possible that she'd done what O'Neal had said she had.

"Hey," he said, opening the door. "Saffy... we have to talk."

Saffron wiped at her eyes. "I just want to be alone, Andrew."

"No, Saffy." Andrew shook his head. "Something happened to you."

Saffron looked away. She didn't want to tell him; she couldn't bring herself to tell him.

"I know what happened," Andrew told her. "Saffron..."

Saffron looked up at him with tears in her eyes. "You do?"

"It wasn't your fault, Saf," Andrew reached for her.

Saffron nearly collapsed in his arms.

His heart broke for his girlfriend. "We have to take you in to be tested for a drug that Murphy saw Daniel put into your drink."

Saffron pulled away to look at him properly. "He put something in my drink?"

"Yeah," Andrew nodded. "We got Ethan to come over and he took what was left and Daniel into the Ministry. But you have to come be tested as well."

"Ethan knows?" Saffron asked in a small voice.

Andrew nodded. "We're going to take care of O'Neal for you, Saffy."

Saffron put her arms around him. "I didn't know what I was doing, Andrew."

"I know you didn't, baby." Andrew soothed her.

"He--he wouldn't leave me alone at practise," Saffron said quietly. "And he kept following me around at the party."

"I'd like to kill him," Andrew said ominously.

Saffron sobbed into his shoulder. She'd been so sure he'd hate her if he'd found out what she'd done.

"Shhh...." Andrew rubbed her back.

"I love you so much," Saffron whispered.

"I love you too," Andrew told her. "I meant what I said to you earlier."

Saffron looked up at him. "You said you'd love me no matter what happened tonight. Oh, Andrew---"

"Come on Saffy," Andrew said. "I'll go with you- we should tell your parents what happened and take you to the Ministry."

Saffron nodded. "My parents---"

"They have to know," Andrew told her.

"I don't want anyone to know," Saffron said softly. "The thought of him touching me---"

Andrew tightened his hold on her. "I hate that thought too."

"What kind of person would do this?" Saffron asked him.

"I don't know," Andrew said. "He's a bastard."

Saffron had changed out of her clothes and into her pyjamas. She looked at Andrew. "I need to change clothes. Will you---will you go and wake up my parents?"

"Sure," Andrew nodded. "I'll do anything you want me to."

"Thank you," Saffron said softly. "For everything."

Andrew squeezed her hand before heading to her parents' room.

He didn't know how he would tell them what had happened. He gently knocked on the door.

Harry answered it a moment later, still dressed. "Andrew?"

"Hello, Mr. Potter," Andrew said quietly. "Something's happened."

"What?" Hermione asked coming over and standing behind her husband.

"To Saffy," Andrew continued. "She needs you... um... and she has to go to the Ministry."

"Saffy?" Hermione asked pushing past him and heading down the hall to her daughter's bedroom.

Saffron had just finished pulling a jumper over her head when Hermione came into her room.

"Baby?" Hermione asked looking at her daughter's tear-stained face.

"Mum," Saffron rushed into her mother's arms.

Hermione held her daughter tightly. She couldn't imagine what could have happened. "It's okay, baby. I'm here."

"He drugged me," Saffron wept. "And... and..."

"Who?" Hermione asked cupping her daughter's face in her hands. "Who drugged you, Saffy?"

"Daniel," Saffron whispered.

"Daniel?" Hermione asked confused. "Daniel, your team mate?"

Saffron nodded.

"Did he---?" Hermione couldn't even bring herself to ask.

"I didn't know what was happening," Saffron sobbed.

The floor started to shake and Saffron looked toward the doorway where she saw her father standing with Andrew. Harry had tried very hard to keep his temper in check, but when he'd heard what his daughter had said, he'd lost it.

"Daddy," Saffron said unable to look at him.

"Who?" Harry asked in an extremely controlled voice.

"Daniel O'Neal," Saffron said quietly.

"The bloke on your team?" Harry asked furiously. "I'll kill him."

"Daddy, wait!" Saffron called out, but he was already stalking down the stairs.

"Saffy we really need to get you to the Ministry," Andrew said.

Hermione nodded in agreement. "Andrew, can you get our cloaks? They're in the closet by the staircase."

"Sure," he nodded.

Hermione put her arm around her daughter. "It's going to be okay, sweetheart. I promise."

Saffron only shook her head.

Harry arrived at the Ministry within seconds. He wanted to kill Daniel O'Neal for what he'd done to his daughter.

He stormed up to the Auror Headquarters and slammed into an interrogation room.

"Harry, you can't be in here," Neville warned him. "I already threw Ethan out."

"Oh I have every reason to be in there," Harry said ominously.

"I'm not going to say another word while he's in here," Daniel said defiantly.

"You don't have to," Harry said furiously. "YOU DRUGGED MY DAUGHTER!"

"I didn't do anything she didn't want me to do," Daniel said grinning cockily at him. He seemed to be under the impression that Harry wouldn't do anything to him here.

The lights flickered around them and the chairs around the table Daniel was sitting at flew and broke against the wall.

"Harry," Neville warned.

"You're going to pay for what you've done," Harry said. "Mark my words."

Ethan opened the door. "Dad, come on. Let Neville handle this. We're too close."

Harry gave Daniel one last glare before allowing his son to pull him out of the room.

"I know you want to kill him," Ethan said. "I do too, but Saf's been through enough. There's a room full of witnesses that heard him confess as to what he put in her drink."

"What else did he do to her?" Harry asked his son directly.

Ethan looked through the glass at the younger bloke who had taken advantage of his baby sister. "From what I understand, he gave her something that lowered her inhibitions and made her see things not as they usually are. I think she confused him with Sean. He used that to take advantage of her."

"Advantage..." Harry's voice trailed off.

Ethan nodded. "Yeah."

Harry clenched his fists and a large crack appeared in the glass.

"How is she?" Ethan asked.

"Not good," Harry said grimly.

"She's been through enough," Ethan said shaking his head.

Harry continued to watch through the glass. "I want to fucking kill him."

"I do too," Ethan said in agreement. "I sent a team over to his flat to check it out."

Meanwhile, Saffron, Andrew and Hermione arrived at the Ministry. "Where do I have to go?" she asked quietly.

"Ethan said you had to go to Auror Headquarters," Andrew replied.

Saffron nodded, pulling her cloak tighter around her.

"It's going to be okay," Andrew told her. "Your mum and I are right here."

"Andrew's right," Hermione said squeezing her hand. "We're not going to leave you, baby."

Saffron nodded.

Hermione said a silent prayer that her husband hadn't gone off the deep end. She could certainly understand his wanting to. If she saw Daniel O'Neal, she was certain she too would want to kill him. But, she knew it was the last thing her daughter needed to deal with now.

"Do you think Daddy did anything to him?" Saffron asked in a small voice.

"Your Uncle Neville wouldn't let him," Hermione said, hoping she was telling the truth.

"I don't want anything to happen to Daddy," Saffron said, leaning against Andrew.

"Let's just go upstairs and see," Andrew said.

Saffron felt her knees shake as they approached the room where Daniel was being held.

"Saffy," Harry said opening his arms. "Come here, sweetheart."

Saffron rushed towards her father. "I'm so sorry..."

"You didn't do anything wrong," Harry said firmly. "He did. And he's going to pay for what he did."

Saffron wiped at her eyes. "I shouldn't have--"

"Shhh," Harry said holding her tightly. "You didn't do anything wrong."

"What are they doing to him?" Andrew asked.

"Neville's interrogating him," Ethan told them. "I sent a team over to O'Neal's flat to see what hey could find there. Justin's interviewing some of the party guests."

"I wanted to kill him," Andrew admitted. "Managed to lay a few on his face."

"I wasn't going to tell anyone," Saffron admitted. "I just wanted to make it go away."

"That's never the way to go about it, sweetheart." Hermione told her.

"Let me go!" they heard a female voice.

Saffron turned to see a team of Aurors walking with Christina Grant. "Christina?"

"Potter," Christina spat.

Natalie looked over at Harry and Ethan. "We found her in O'Neal's flat."

"You two were in on this together?" Andrew asked in disbelief. "How?"

"Daniel's an old friend," Christina said loftily. "I was just visiting him when these people stormed in and grabbed me!"

"You probably had everything to do with this," Andrew retorted.

Christina rolled her eyes.

Saffron could hardly face the other girl. "Andrew told me I had to get tested," she told her father.

"I'll go with her," Hermione said. "Just let me know where to take her."

"Ethan will show you," Harry said.

"Come on, Saffy," Ethan said gently.

Saffron allowed her brother to take her elbow. "Andrew?"

Andrew smiled reassuringly at her. "Yes?"

"You'll stay?" she asked.

Andrew nodded. "Of course. I'll be right here."

Saffron nodded. "Thank you."

"Love you," Andrew told her.

"Love you too," she whispered.

Ethan led the way down the corridor.

Saffron squeezed her mother's hand. "You won't leave, right? You'll be there with me?"

"I won't leave you for a moment," Hermione promised.

"Thank you, Mum," Saffron said softly.

"Oh, baby," Hermione said quietly. "I wish this hadn't happened to you."

"Me too," Saffron said.

Hermione hugged her tightly.

"After your examination, we'll need to get a statement from you," Ethan told her. "Natalie can take it from you, if you feel more comfortable talking to her instead."

"That would be nice," Saffron nodded.

Ethan opened a set of double doors. "Here we are."

Hermione put a hand on Saffron's shoulder. "This way, baby."

Saffron nodded and followed her mother into the small examination room where an older woman was waiting for them. She smiled reassuringly at Saffron.

"Miss Potter?" the woman asked. "I'm Carly Richards. I'm the lead medical investigator for the Auror department."

"Hi," Saffron said quietly.

She handed Saffron a gown. "You can go behind the curtain and change."

"Okay," Saffron took it. She handed her mother her cloak and disappeared behind the curtain.

Saffron came out a few moments later and Carly asked her to sit on the examination table.

"I just need to ask you a few questions before we get started," Carly told her.

Saffron shrugged. "Whatever you need to do."

"Prior to this evening, were you sexually active?" Carly asked.

"Yes," Saffron said quietly.

Carly wrote something down on her clipboard. "Okay, and when was the last time, prior to this evening, that you had intercourse?"

"Um... about a week ago," Saffron thought.

Carly wrote Saffron's response down and then asked her a few more preliminary questions.

"Okay," Carly said. "If you'll just lay back on the table."

Hermione stood beside her daughter and took her hand. "I'm right here, baby."

Saffron nodded. "I know."

Hermione staved off her own tears as she watched her daughter. Saffron was trying so hard to be brave and Hermione didn't want to have her daughter see her cry.

"So we're testing for the presence of Amorentia potion," Carly read from her clipboard.

"That's what they said he slipped into my drink," Saffron said quietly.

"You didn't finish it, correct?" Carly asked.

Saffron tried to recall. "I think I took a couple of sips and I--I carried the drink to the bedroom with me, but I don't remember drinking anymore of it after that."

"It only takes a small dose," Carly told her.

"Have you seen many cases involving this?" Hermione asked.

"A few," Carly nodded.

"It's reprehensible," Hermione said shaking her head.

"I agree with you," Carly nodded, mixing a few vials of potion together. "The people who use this should be punished severely."

"I'll see to it that they are," Hermione said firmly.

Carly gave Saffron the potion she'd made up. "Drink this."

Saffron took the glass. "Okay."

She drank the potion down and was astonished to see her body glow a bright blue shade for a moment. "What happened?"

"It's just as I expected," Carly said. "You do have traces of Amorentia in your system."

"A lot of it?" Saffron asked.

"Traces," Carly told her. "But like I said it only takes a small amount to make a difference."

"He will be punished for this," Hermione said grimly.

Carly finished the rest of the examination and made some notes on her clipboard. "You should visit your own personal Healer in a couple of weeks. Just to make sure..."

"Make sure of what?" Saffron asked.

"I don't know if you used protection," Carly told her gently. "You should have a pregnancy test."

Saffron struggled to sit up. "W-what?"

"Just as a precaution," Carly replied.

"Right," Saffron whispered.

"I'll talk to Pansy tomorrow," Hermione promised.

"I'll leave you to get dressed," Carly said. "I'll turn in my findings to Neville."

"Thank you," Hermione said.

Once they were alone, Hermione gave her daughter a hug.

"Mum, I can't be pregnant," Saffron said. "Not from this...I can't."

"It's just a precaution," Hermione assured her. "It doesn't mean she thinks you are."

Saffron nodded. "I hope so."

"I hope not either," Hermione said as Saffron got dressed again.

"What time is it?" Saffron asked as they walked back.

"Around eleven now," Hermione replied.

"I know you have an early start tomorrow," Saffron started to ramble. "I'm so sorry you had to deal with this Mum. If you wanted to go home---"

"Sweetheart, I'd stay up all night with you if I had to," Hermione told her.

"Thank you, Mum," Saffron said softly.

"I love you, baby." Hermione said. "Your father and I would do anything for you."

"I just thought I was finally turning things around," Saffron said starting to cry again. "And then this happens---"

Hermione hugged her daughter, blinking back her own tears. "This was not your fault, Saffron. And this won't set you back."

"I don't want it to," Saffron said softly.

"That's good," Hermione encouraged. "And it's needless of me to say that Andrew is staying right by your side."

"I was so afraid that he'd hate me," Saffron said wiping at her eyes.

"I don't think he could," Hermione brushed back Saffron's unruly hair.

Saffron smiled for the first time since this had happened. "I should go and give my statement, huh?"

"Good idea," Hermione said. "Then we can get you home."

Saffron and Hermione walked back into the main offices just in time to see Daniel being led out of the interrogation room.

Saffron looked away from him.

"Hiya, Saffy," Daniel called out to her.

Hermione sent him a glare. "Don't you speak to my daughter."

"I see where she got her looks," Daniel leered at her.

Ethan appeared and pushed on Daniel's shoulder. "Move it on," he barked. "And watch what you say."

Andrew pulled Saffron into his arms. "Don't listen to him."

Saffron shook her head and buried her face in his shoulder.

"How are you holding up?" Andrew asked softly.

"I had traces of the potion in me," Saffron said quietly.

"They have enough evidence to put him away for a long time," Andrew told her. "Scanlon, Murphy, Bianca...they were all here earlier. They all gave statements."

"They're putting him away?" Saffron asked. "What about Christina?"

"She was his accomplice," Andrew said. "From what Justin told us, they've known each other for quite some time."

Saffron shook her head. "Why did they do this to me?"

"I don't know," Andrew said kissing her forehead.

"But you're staying by me," Saffron looked up at him.

"Just try and get rid of me," Andrew said softly.

Saffron buried her face in his shoulder again.

Hermione walked over to her husband. "How are you holding up?" She motioned toward the interrogation room window which still had a crack in it from earlier.

Harry shook his head. "They're locking him away... but it's not enough. He hurt my baby."

"I know," Hermione said putting her arms around him. "She's being so brave."

"I'm glad Andrew's stayed." Harry said. "He's a good bloke."

"He loves her very much," Hermione said.

"About as much as I love you," Harry cracked a smile.

Hermione gave him a kiss. "Ethan said Natalie would take her statement."

Harry nodded. "Then we can get her home."

"I'm going to sit with her when she gives her statement," Hermione said. "I don't want her to go through that alone."

Harry nodded. "Let's go get started."

"Saffron?" Hermione called out to her daughter. "Are you ready?"

Saffron broke away from Andrew's embrace. "Yeah," she nodded.

"It's time for you to give your statement," Harry said. "Natalie's waiting for you, sweetheart."

"Okay," Saffron replied.

"Andrew and I will be waiting out here," Harry told her.

"I'll go in with you, sweetheart," Hermione said to her daughter.

Saffron nodded. She was glad that her father and boyfriend wouldn't be there to hear her relive what had happened.

Natalie smiled reassuringly at Saffron when she came in. "Hi Saffron. Since we already have concrete evidence he did this, we don't really need to spend a lot of time on this, all right? Just be straightforward and tell me what happened."

"I don't honestly remember that much," Saffron told her honestly. "Most of it's still a bit fuzzy."

"Just tell me what you do know," Natalie replied.

"Earlier today," Saffron began. "My best friend and I were shopping for a dress. We ran into Christina Grant in one of the shops."

Natalie nodded as the quill on the table in front of her went up and started writing down what she said.

"She said some things to me about Sean Grant," Saffron continued. "He was her cousin and I used to date him."

"He's the young man who was... killed last year... correct?" Natalie asked gently.

Saffron swallowed the lump in her throat. "Yes."

Natalie nodded. "Go on..."

"She said some horrible things to me about Sean," Saffron said quietly. "It made me upset. But, um, my friend Alexa and I talked about it and I was feeling better when I went to practise."

Hermione placed a hand on her daughter's and gave it a squeeze as Saffron related the rest of her tale.

"When I arrived at the party, Daniel O'Neal wouldn't leave me alone," Saffron told Natalie. "He kept telling me that I should give him another chance and that we got off on the wrong foot. I just wanted him to leave me alone. I--I made myself a plate of food and I had my drink. I set it down when Joe Scanlon called me over to meet his girlfriend."

"That's when he slipped the drug into your juice," Natalie said, relaying what the others had already stated.

Saffron nodded. "I came back to get my plate and glass a few minutes later. I sat down by myself and Daniel came over. I felt a little sick and everything felt a little blurry. Daniel---he looks a little like Sean. I saw Sean when I looked at Daniel."

"You were confused because of the drug, too." Hermione said.

Saffron nodded. "I remember him trying to kiss me, but after that it's all a blur.

Hermione bit down on her lower lip as Saffron described what she could remember.

"He came into the room," Saffron remembered. "Right after I'd gotten dressed and while I was talking to Andrew on my mobile---"

"He came back in?" Natalie asked.

Saffron nodded. "He said----he implied that we'd had---that we'd---"

"He claimed in his statement that the two of you slept together, and that you were willing," Natalie read.

Tears welled up in Saffron's eyes. "I don't remember. But, I know that if I was in my right mind, I'd never have slept with him. Never."

"Of course you wouldn't have," Hermione said.

"O'Neal also mentioned that you had an encounter on New Year's Eve," Natalie said looking over Daniel's statement.

"I was pissed then too," Saffron said. "I'd had eight or nine shots of Firewhisky."

"Did anything happen between you that night?" Natalie asked gently.

"Just kissing," Saffron replied.

Natalie nodded. "Okay, then. I think we have enough. I'll just need you to sign the statement."

Saffron nodded, relieved it was over.

She took the quill from Natalie and signed her name.

"That's all we need then, Saffron." Natalie said. "Thank you."

"Thank you," Saffron said quietly.

"Can we take her home now?" Hermione asked.

Natalie nodded. "If we need anything else, it can wait until later."

"Come on then, Saffron," Hermione said. "Let's get you home."

"Right," Saffron said. "I'm exhausted."

Natalie held the door open for the two of them. "A good night's sleep is just what you need."

"Thank you Natalie," Hermione said. "I'm sure we'll talk soon."

"Good night, Minister," Natalie said.

Harry, Ethan and Andrew stood when Hermione and Saffron appeared in the corridor.

"How'd it go?" Ethan asked.

"Fine," Saffron said quietly. "I want to go home and get some sleep."

"Of course," Harry said. "Um, Andrew. You're welcome to stay the night."

"Thank you Daddy," Saffron said gratefully as Andrew nodded in agreement.

"I just want you to feel safe, sweetheart," Harry said.

"I do, with all of you," Saffron replied.

Andrew put his arm around her. He was a little surprised, but very grateful that Harry was going to let him stay at their house. He didn't want to leave Saffron alone.

"I'll make you some tea when we get back," Hermione said. "And then you'll get some sleep."

"Thanks, Mum," Saffron said gratefully. "Daddy?"

"Yes, baby?" Harry asked.

"What's going to happen to Daniel now?" Saffron asked in a small voice.

"He's going to be locked up, baby." Harry answered.

"What he did was illegal."

"I should never have gone to that party," Saffron said quietly. "I should have just gone home like I wanted to."

"It's all right, Saffy." Andrew told her. “You’re safe and we’re all here for you.”

Saffron looked up at him, unable to speak.

"I love you," Andrew told her.

Saffron hugged him again. "I love you too," she whispered.

"Let's get you home," Andrew kissed the side of her head.

Saffron nodded and leaned against him. They arrived back at the minister's mansion a few minutes later. Andrew helped Saffron upstairs while her parents made the tea.

"This has been a horrible night," Saffron mumbled.

"I know," Andrew said sitting on the edge of the bed. He watched as Saffron grabbed her pyjamas from her dresser. She'd never been modest around him before, but she looked uncertainly at him now. "I'll turn around," he offered. "Until you're dressed."

"Thanks," she said quietly.

Andrew turned around. "You were so brave tonight, Saffy. I was really proud of how you handled yourself."

"I nearly fell apart, Andrew." Saffron said.

"But, you didn't," Andrew said. "You were amazing. You're the strongest person I know."

"I don't feel strong," saffron said.

"You're stronger than you know," Andrew said. "I nearly lost it at Scanlon's. I wanted to kill O'Neal for what he did to you."

"Ethan said you pounded him," Saffron turned around to look at him.

"I did," Andrew admitted.

"You could have gotten into trouble too," Saffron told him.

"I didn't care," Andrew said. "I just wanted to make him disappear."

Saffron reached over and hugged him. "Thank you."

"I love you," Andrew whispered. "More than anything in this world."

"I love you too," Saffron rested her head on his shoulder. "I don't know what I'd do without you."

"You're never gonna find out," Andrew said softly. "I'm not going anywhere."

Saffron nodded, closing her eyes.

"How did your examination go?" Andrew asked.

"Fine," Saffron shrugged.

There was a gentle knock on the door. Hermione and Harry came into the room with Puddles on their heels. Hermione set the tray of tea down on Saffron's desk.

"Thanks Mum," Saffron said. "I think that's just what I need."

"Can we get you anything else?" Harry asked.

Saffron shook her head. "I just want to sleep."

"You know where we are if you need us," Hermione said giving her daughter a hug. "I love you, baby."

"Love you guys too," Saffron hugged her parents.

"Good night, sweetheart," Harry said. "Your mother put a dreamless sleep potion in your tea."

Saffron nodded in relief. "That'll be great. I don't need any nightmares."

"Good night, Andrew," Harry said nodding at the younger man.

"Good night sir," Andrew replied.

Saffron closed the door behind her parents.

"Let’s get you in bed," Andrew said, turning down the covers on Saffron's queen size bed.

Saffron smiled at him. "You're being perfect, right now. You know that?"

"You always did like me that way," Andrew grinned back.

Saffron slid under the covers. Andrew kicked off his shoes and climbed into bed beside her. "Is this okay?"

Saffron nodded. "I hoped you'd stay tonight."

"I'm glad your father offered," Andrew said. "But even if he hadn't, I'd have snuck in."

"Risked it, eh?" Saffron asked.

"That's me," Andrew said as she cuddled up beside him.

Saffron reached for the mug of tea and sipped it. "My mum sure does know how to make tea."

Andrew smiled. "And lasagne."

"Of course," Saffron drained the mug and set it on the nightstand. "Puddles, come here."

Puddles jumped up on the bed and settled down on Saffron's lap.

"Now it's perfect," Saffron said softly.

Andrew smiled. "You knew he couldn't stay away either."

"Both my guys," she said sleepily.

"Get some sleep," Andrew said softly.

"Promise not to leave," Saffron rubbed her eyes.

"I promise," Andrew said. "I'll be here all night."

Saffron wrapped an arm around him.

"Just sleep, Saffy," Andrew whispered.

It didn't take her long to drift off into a dreamless sleep.

Andrew watched her sleep. He wasn't tired at all. He was still angry at Daniel O'Neal. Never in his life had he wanted to kill someone. But, right now, if Daniel O'Neal was in front of him, he knew he wouldn't hesitate.

*** *** ***

Because Darla was still dealing with morning sickness, Drew had decided to bring work to her twin sister instead of making Darla come into the office. She'd stopped off at the bakery on her way over to pick up some pastries. Although Darla claimed she didn't want to eat, Drew thought she'd bring them by just in case. She'd brought Chloe along for a morale boost since Hans was back in New York.

"Mummy," Chloe sang. "I want to swing!" Chloe pointed at the swing on Darla's porch.

"We'll swing in a bit," Drew promised. "First, we're going to have breakfast with Aunt Darla."

"Swing, now!" Chloe said stomping her foot. "Swing! Swing! Swing!"

"Chloe," Drew said. "You're going to have a time out if you keep that up."

"You no fun, Mummy," Chloe said folding her little arms.

Drew hid her smile. "I guess not."

Drew rang the doorbell.

Darla wiped her mouth then mopped her forehead with a clean kerchief. "One moment," she called weakly.

Chloe looked up at her mother. "Aunt Dar still sick, Mummy?"

"Just a little, baby," Drew answered.

Chloe knocked on the door. "Aunt Dar! It's meeeeeeeeee!"

Darla managed to open the door, her face grey and drawn from the morning sickness.

"Hey," Drew said smiling sympathetically at her sister.

"Hi," Darla croaked.

"I guess it would be pointless to ask how you were," Drew said.

"Aunt Dar," Chloe pouted. "Hold me!"

Darla picked up her niece. "Hey, sweetheart. How are you?"

"Good," Chloe said. "But you're sick!"

"I'm feeling better now that you're here," Darla said kissing her cheek.

"Me and Mummy bring food!" Chloe said. "And I want to swing!"

"Why don't you sit with Aunt Dar while I get us some juice?" Drew asked.

"I--I don't have any juice," Darla said. "I don't have much of anything, actually. I haven't had a chance to go to the market."

"Why don't I just run to the shops then?" Drew suggested. "I'll go really quick."

"Drew, you don't have to," Darla protested. "I can go."

"You can hardly move from room to room," Drew pointed out. "Chloe, you stay with Aunt Darla."

"Kay," Chloe said happily.

"You can help me pick out what I'm going to wear today," Darla said to her niece.

"Oooh," Chloe said clapping her hands together.

"My little fashion diva," Drew said with a grin. "Be back in a flash."

Chloe hugged her aunt. "Your tummy hurt?"

"Not so much anymore, sweetheart," Darla said.

"Mummy sings to me when I don't feel good," Chloe told her.

"What does she sing?" Darla asked.

"Twinkle, Twinkle," Chloe said.

"Little Star," Darla continued.

"...wonder what you are," Chloe sang.

Darla laughed. "What do you know?" she tickled Chloe. "That helped me feel all better!"

Chloe giggled. "Yay!"

Darla kissed her cheek. "Let's go have you pick me out an outfit."

"Where's Uncle Hands?" Chloe asked as they walked back to Darla's room.

"He's.... he's at work," Darla replied.

Chloe frowned. "He's always at work!"

"Yes he is," Darla said, setting her down.

"I miss him," Chloe said.

"You're not the only one, sweetheart." Darla replied.

Chloe picked up the photograph by Darla's bedside table. It was a photograph of Darla and Hans on their wedding day. "Princess!"

"Oh Chloe," Darla said. "I'm far from a princess."

"Princess Dar," Chloe said holding out the photograph.

"Princess Dar," Darla repeated, shaking her head.

"Pretty princess," Chloe said grinning at her.

"Are you trying to flatter me, Miss Chloe?" Darla asked, laughing.

Chloe shrugged her shoulders. "Don't know what that is!"

"You will someday," Darla opened the doors to her closet.

"Guess what?" Chloe asked.

"What?" Darla asked.

"Nothing," Chloe giggled.

Darla began to laugh. "You little trickster."

Chloe giggled even harder.

Darla picked her little niece up and began tickling her again.

"Dar!" Chloe giggled. "Stop!"

Her niece's laughter brightened Darla's spirits considerably.

Darla quickly changed into a pair of sweats and an old Hogwarts sweatshirt.

"No," Chloe shook her head. "Not pretty enough."

"What's wrong with it?" Darla asked.

"Not pretty clothes," Chloe said. "Wear that!"

"Munchkin, that's a little too fancy to lounge around the house in," Darla said.

"Then that," Chloe pointed to a shirt."

"You are a little fashion diva," Darla said shaking her head.

"That's me!" Chloe spun around in a circle.

Darla picked up a necklace from her dresser and put it around her niece's neck.

"Ooooh!" Chloe said in delight.

"Let's see how you look in this shirt," Darla said taking it off the hanger.

"Kay," Chloe held her little arms out.

"Your mum and me used to play dress up all the time," Darla recalled as she put the shirt on her niece.

"Dress up is fun," Chloe said. "I play with Em."

Darla smiled. "Would you like a hat, Miss Chloe?"

"Yes!" Chloe beamed.

Darla walked into the closet and picked out a hat she'd worn to one of the weddings she and Darla had planned. "I think this one would look lovely on you..."

"Ooooooh!" Chloe's eyes grew large. "Love it!"

"You want to check yourself out in the mirror?" Darla asked.

Chloe nodded. "I'm pretty now!"

"You were always gorgeous," Darla said lifting her up and carrying her over to the mirror.

Chloe clapped her little hands together. "Look at me!"

Darla laughed. "Look at you, the little diva. All you need now is a pair of heels."

"I love Mummy's shoes," Chloe replied.

"Well," Darla set her down. "Wait until you see these red heels that I have. I bought them a couple of months ago. I haven't worn them yet."

"I can?" Chloe asked.

"I don't think I'll be wearing them for awhile," Darla said going into her closet and pulling out the box. "Are you ready?"

Chloe nodded eagerly.

Darla opened the box. "Aren't they gorgeous? They're Jimmy Choo's."

"Jimmy's Shoes," Chloe repeated.

Darla laughed. "Close enough."

Chloe was parading around when Drew arrived back at the house with a few bags.

"What on earth?" Drew asked. "Sweetheart, what do you have on?"

"Dar's clothes!" Chloe kicked up a little foot.

Drew grinned. "Nice shoes, munchkin."

"They're Jimmy's shoes," Chloe told her mother.

"Jimmy's shoes?" Drew asked in confusion.

"Jimmy Choos," Darla corrected.

Drew gasped. "I didn't know you had Jimmy Choo's!"

"I just got them," Darla replied.

"I like 'em," Chloe said happily. She stumbled a bit when she spun around.

"Careful, munchkin," Drew cautioned.

"I will," Chloe promised.

"I got some basics," Drew told her sister. "And some juice and ginger ale. It really settled my stomach when I felt sick in the mornings."

"Thanks," Darla said gratefully. "I really appreciate you going out like that for me."

"Anytime," Drew told her, heading into the kitchen.

"Thank you for bringing her by," Darla said following her. "She's made me laugh."

"She's just like Maddie," Drew replied.

"Except she's more into fashion," Darla grinned.

"Oh definitely," Drew poured her sister a glass of the ginger ale. "Sip that slowly."

"Yes, mum," Darla teased.

Drew laughed. "Chloe? Do you want a pastry, munchkin?"

"Oooh," Chloe said stumbling into the kitchen. "Yes!"

"Why don't we take those off for now," Drew said, reaching down for the heels.

"No!" Chloe protested.

"You can put them back on after you're done eating," Drew told her.

Chloe looked uncertainly up at her mother. "You promise?"

"I promise," Drew told her.

"Kay," Chloe said slipping out of the shoes.

"A chocolate croissant," Drew said. "Your favourite."

"Yummy," Chloe said happily.

"What can I make you?" Drew asked her sister.

"One of those croissants sounds pretty good actually," Darla said.

"Great," Drew replied. "I also brought over a few files for some of the weddings we have coming up so we can go through them."

"Thank you for doing that," Darla said sitting down at the table. "I'm sorry I haven't been pulling my fair share of the load lately."

"We'll make up for it," Drew reassured her.

"You're the best, Drew," Darla said smiling at her.

"Don't I know it," Drew replied jokingly.

"Hans keeps sending me flat listings for New York," Darla said shaking her head.

"Honestly," Drew rolled her eyes. "Hasn't he gotten it by now?"

"I haven't looked at any of them," Darla said. "I can't. This is home."

"Do you think he'll ever... come back?" Drew asked hesitantly.

"He's coming back on the weekend," Darla said. "Or so he says..."

"You don't believe him?" Drew asked.

"He has good intentions," Darla said before taking a bite of her croissant.

"Good intentions?" Drew asked in disbelief.

"Drew, you should have seen him when we found out," Darla remembered. "He was so happy. He was the same person he was before all this happened."

"But obviously the allure of the big city means more to him," Drew stated.

"He said he'd tell his agent that he didn't want to hide anything anymore," Darla said in his defence.

"Well that's a start," Drew shrugged.

"He hasn't done it yet though," Darla said quietly. "And it's been three weeks since we found out."

"I'm sure things will work out, one way or the other," Drew said reassuringly.

"Uncle Hands loves Aunt Dar," Chloe said.

"I hope so, munchkin," Darla said.

"She's looking forward to meeting her new cousin," Drew said. "Aren't you, Chloe?"

Chloe nodded. "A boy!"

Darla laughed. "Yes, a little boy for you to boss around."

"What's his name?" Chloe asked.

"We haven't really talked about names yet," Darla admitted.

"Can I name him?" Chloe asked.

"I'll certainly take suggestions," Darla replied.

"I will make a name," Chloe nodded.

Darla grinned. "Okay."

"You never know," Darla said. "She might come up with a winner. Look at how well Caroline did with Emma. And the two of them with Adam."

"That's true," Drew admitted, smoothing back Chloe's red hair.

Chloe smiled at her mother. "I'll do good. Promise."

"You always do good, munchkin." Drew said affectionately.

"We should probably get to work," Darla said. "I feel like I'm so far behind."

"Sure," Drew said. "I brought some toys to keep her occupied while we get this all put together."

"Want to colour first," Chloe said sliding off of her chair.

"I've got your colouring books," Drew nodded. "Let's get you set up."

"Will you colour me a picture?" Darla asked her niece. "I'll put it on the icebox."

Chloe nodded. "For Dar and Hands."

Darla mussed Chloe's curls. "Thank you, sweetheart."

Chloe set to work and so did Darla and Drew.

Darla was happy for the distraction. The house was lonely without Hans around, but she'd imposed on her parents for too long. Even though, they'd told her over and over again that she was welcome to stay as long as she wanted.

"First we have the Gruber- Jones wedding," Drew said. "I'm beginning to think they're going to elope."

"You think that might have something to do with the groom's overbearing cow of a mother?" Darla asked with a grin.

"Oh perhaps," Drew rolled her eyes. "That woman..."

"I've never had to bite my tongue so much," Darla said shaking her head.

"We'll see how that goes," Drew opened the file. "But for now, wedding's still on."

"I have a meeting with the florist tomorrow," Darla said looking in her book. "And you're going to----"

Her voice trailed off as the phone rang. "Hold that thought," Darla said. She picked up the phone.

"Is this Hans Feinbach's residence?" a female voice asked.

"Uh... yes..." Darla said. "Who is this?"

"I'm Hillary Dodd," the woman replied. "I'm a reporter for the Times."

"Can I help you?" Darla asked warily.

"We're doing a story on his rapid rise to fame," the reporter said. "He's really taken New York by storm."

"I'm aware," Darla said. "But I'm probably not the right person to talk to about this."

"How do you know Hans?" the reporter continued.

Darla bit her tongue. "No comment," she said, her tone turning a bit sour.

"I've done my research," the woman said. "There were some photographs taken last year with Hans and a plain red-haired girl. Would you be that same girl?"

"Plain?" Darla asked hotly. "Excuse me?"

"You ARE the same girl," the reporter said eagerly. "Darla Weasley?"

"What of it?" Darla asked irritably. "If you'll excuse me--"

"Why the secrecy?" Hillary demanded.

"None of your business," Darla snapped.

"Miss Weasley---"

Darla slammed the phone down.

"Dar?" Drew asked. "What on earth? Who was that?"

"Some reporter looking for information on Hans," Darla rubbed her forehead.

"What did she ask you?" Drew asked.

"Called me plain," Darla related. "And asked if I was the girl seen in some photos last year."

"Plain?" Drew asked incensed.

Darla shook her head. "Maybe they're right in making him hide me," she said miserably.

Drew shook her head. "They're not! You're gorgeous and I'm not just saying that because we're twins! You are gorgeous and intelligent and smart and funny and Hans is bloody lucky to have you!"

"I don't feel like he is," Darla wiped her eyes.

"I've kept quiet about this long enough," Drew said shaking her head. "Hans should never have agreed to this, Darla."

Darla only shrugged.

"And he should be the one here going to the shops and making sure you're okay!" Drew said angrily. "But where is he?"

"I'm just not important enough," Darla said bitterly. "And neither is our son."

Drew gave her sister a hug. "He's an arse, Darla."

"Sad?" Chloe looked up from her colouring.

"No," Drew said shaking her head. "We're mad, munchkin."

"Why?" Chloe asked.

"What do you think of your Aunt Dar, sweetheart?" Drew asked her.

"Pretty as a princess," Chloe said.

Drew beamed at her. "That's right."

"Thanks," Darla said, wiping her eyes again.

"Hans better hope I don't see him anytime soon," Drew said.

"What, and leave New York?" Darla rolled her eyes.

"This calls for another chocolate croissant," Drew said reaching into the box.

"Me too, Mummy?" Chloe asked.

"Absolutely," Drew said. "Come here."

Chloe hopped off her chair and ran to sit on Drew's lap.

"I'll get us some more juice," Darla said. She briefly thought about calling Hans to tell him about the reporter, but it wasn't as if he'd care.

Drew broke the croissant into three pieces. "There you go, love." she said to her daughter.

"Yummy," Chloe said happily.

"Here's some more juice for you, sweetheart," Darla set a glass in front of her niece.

"This is the most fun!" Chloe exclaimed.

Darla had to smile. "Glad you're enjoying yourself."

"I still say we should let Uncle Fred and Uncle George pay him a visit in New York," Drew said thoughtfully.

"He might have to give up his career if they get a hold of him." Darla said ruefully.

"Katie said Hands is hot," Chloe told them.

"Did she now?" Drew asked.

"Katie's funny," Chloe said giggling.

Darla sat down again. "Let's just get back to work," she said, rubbing her stomach.

"I have a new couple for us," Drew said reaching into her bag for a folder. "It's an older couple that are renewing their vows."

"That'll be nice," Darla said.

"They're the sweetest couple," Drew said. "It shouldn't be too much work."

"An easy job sounds nice for a change," Darla replied.

"You want to take this one?" Drew asked.

"Sure," Darla took the file and began reading through it.

The phone rang again. Darla stood up to answer it, but Drew beat her to it. "Allow me."

"Thanks," Darla said softly.

"Hello?" Drew asked when she answered the phone.

"Miss Weasley?" a voice asked.

"Yes," Drew answered.

"This is Hillary Dodd again," the woman said. "Please do not hang up on me ..."

"What do you want?" Drew snapped.

"I've just received a fax from London," the woman said. "It seems to be a copy of a marriage license.."

"Your point being what?" Drew asked petulantly.

"I'll cut to the chase," Hillary said. "You're married to Hans Feinbach."

"And I'll ask again, what's your point?" Drew asked.

"I wanted to know if you had a comment about why no one knew of your existence?" the reporter asked coldly.

"Don't worry about it," Drew told her.

"Why have his agents marketed him as a single man when he's married to you?" Hillary asked again. "You can tell me now or wait until the whole world knows.."

Drew slammed the phone down again.

"Another reporter?" Darla guessed.

"Same one, I think," Drew replied. "She got a copy of your marriage license."

"What?" Darla asked. "How?"

"Told me it was faxed over." Drew shrugged.

"How on earth did she get it?" Darla asked.

"Those things are public record, Darla," Drew told her.

"You know what?" Darla asked. "I don't even care."

"You shouldn't care," Drew said. "It's about time you were out in the open. It's stupid for them to think to hide you anyway."

"Well hopefully she won't call back again," Darla said. "I'm really in no mood to deal with this."

"Let's get back to work," Drew said. "Right, Chloe?"

"Right," Chloe picked up her crayon again.

A few hours later in America, Hans was just waking up in his penthouse apartment. He'd had another late night for an industry party and he had another appearance at noon. He'd heard the phone ring about a dozen times, but he'd been so knackered, he'd ignored it each time.

It insistently rang again, and with a groan, he reached over, knocking his alarm clock off his nightstand.

He picked up the phone with his eyes still closed. "Hello?"

"It's about time you picked up the fucking phone, Hans!" his agent barked at him.

"What is it?" Hans asked irritably.

"Have you seen the papers this morning?" his agent asked.

"I'm just waking up," Hans pointed out.

"You made The Times, The Post and The Daily News," his agent told him. "Or should I say...your wife did."

"What?" Hans asked, fully awake.

"I thought you told her to keep quiet," his agent said angrily. "You knew what was riding on this, but did you listen? No, no you didn't! And now I've got to do damage control with the press, with Calvin Klein..."

"Darla told the papers?" Hans found it incredible that Darla would do something like that.

"Mrs. Feinbach couldn't keep her mouth shut apparently," his agent said. "I want you in my office in an hour, Hans. We have to find some way to spin this."

"Fine," Hans said before hanging up.

He couldn't believe she'd do something like this. He'd decided to come clean, but he wanted to do it on his terms and when the time was right. He'd thought she'd be patient.

Reaching over for his phone again, he dialled the number to his house back in England.

"Come on," Hans said angrily. "Pick up...pick up...pick up...."

"Hallo?" he heard an impatient voice answer.

"Drew," Hans said. "What are you doing there?"

"Hans?" Drew asked.

"Yeah," Hans said impatiently. "Where's Darla?"

"Kipping," Drew said. "She's had a long day."

"I'll say she has," Hans snapped. "She told the press we were married!"

"It's already made the papers?" Drew asked taken aback. "Wow...they work fast."

"You knew about this?" he demanded.

"Of course," Drew said. "I've been here all day manning the phones. Reporters have been calling all hours trying to get a comment out of her."

"Because SHE told everyone!" Hans nearly exploded.

"You've got to be kidding me!" Drew exclaimed. "You're mad at her? She had no control over this! Some reporter called this morning asking all these questions and she said that she'd obtained a copy of your marriage license!"

"What?" Hans asked.

"Besides, you should be happy that this is out in the open," Drew said sarcastically. "You did say that you were going to tell everyone the truth, didn't you?"

"I was working it out," Hans told her.

"Meanwhile, your wife is here going through morning sickness by herself," Drew continued. "You have some nerve, Hans!"

"This is my job," Hans told her.

"Which is obviously more important to you than your wife and baby!" Drew retorted.

"How do you know?" Hans asked her. "Drew- you're not your sister. You don't know every thought in her head."

"If they meant anything to you, you'd be here supporting her," Drew told him.

"I don't need to listen to this," Hans snapped. "Have Darla ring me when she gets up."

"I'm not your secretary!" Drew shot back.

"I don't expect you to be," Hans said. "But as you said, she IS my wife and she's carrying MY child."

"Now, you remember," Drew said sarcastically. "You do what you have to do and Brian, Chloe and me will look after Darla."

"Have her call me," Hans said. "Please."

"Fine," Drew said briskly. "Anything else?"

"No," he replied.

Drew hung up the phone. Chloe was kipping upstairs with Darla. She was glad her daughter hadn't heard any of her argument with Hans.

She sat back down at the table and began to sort out the files again.

Her sister deserved so much more than this. And the nerve of Hans to put the blame on Darla.

She wondered- albeit a bit guiltily- if this would escalate to her sister and Hans breaking up over it.

Drew didn't want that. She just wanted her brother-in-law to realise what a wonderful wife he had and that he needed to be here for her.

It was a few hours later that Darla came downstairs to find her sister and niece enjoying a snack together. "How long was I kipping?"

"A while," Drew said looking up from her paperwork. "Do you want something to eat?"

She shook her head. "No thanks."

"Um," Drew said biting her lip. "Apparently, the news has already broken in the States. You're apparently front page news."

"What?" Darla asked. "You mean that reporter--"

Drew nodded. "Hans called."

"What did he say?" Darla asked.

"He wasn't happy," Drew admitted. "And he and I might have argued..."

"Might have argued?" Darla raised an eyebrow.

"Okay, okay," Drew said sheepishly. "We had words. But only because he was so angry. He thought that you'd deliberately told the press about it."

"Why would I do something like that?" Darla sat down.

"I don't know," Drew said. "I'm sorry. I just couldn't help it, Dar. You're my sister."

"I know," Darla sighed. "I should probably ring him."

"He wants you to," Drew said quietly.

Darla reached for the phone. "I'm going in the other room."

"Good luck," Chloe said to her aunt.

Darla had to smile. "Thanks, munchkin."

Darla took a deep breath and took the phone into the sitting room. She didn't know what she'd say to her husband, but she was tired of fighting. That was all they seemed to do these days.

"Hallo?" Hans barked into the phone after she'd dialled his number.

"It's me," Darla said quietly. "Drew said you'd called."

"What did you do to me?" Hans asked. "Damn it Darla, I told you I was working something out!"

Darla sighed. "I didn't do anything, Hans. This reporter called and she was asking all these questions..."

"You told her we were married!" Hans snapped.

"I didn't," Darla argued. "She had a copy of our marriage license!"

"Where the hell did she get it then?" he demanded.

"I didn't send it to her if that's what you're implying," Darla said angrily.

"How else would she have gotten it?" he asked.

"It's public record, Hans," Darla said trying not to keep her emotions in check. "She probably contacted the General Register's office. It's on file there."

He was silent for a few long moments.

"I didn't deliberately tell them anything, Hans," Darla said. "How---how are things there? Drew said the news was already in the papers."

"Yeah, the shit's hit the fan," Hans said quietly.

"How bad?" Darla asked.

"My agent is pretty pissed off," Hans sighed. "I don't know yet what Calvin Klein thinks."

"At least things are out in the open," Darla said.

Hans sighed. "I hope this doesn't mean the end of my career."

It didn't escape Darla's attention that he hadn't once asked her how she was doing or how she was feeling. She knew him well enough to know that he held her responsible. "It can't be that serious. I mean, you've made them a lot of money, Hans."

"We'll see," Hans said moodily. "I have to go."

"When---when will you be home?" Darla asked.

"I don't know," he said. "Next week, maybe."

"Next week?" Darla asked. "But I have my first ultrasound on Thursday. I thought you were going to come with me."

"I'll try to get back," Hans replied.

"It's the first time we'll be able to see our son," Darla said quietly. "If you miss this..."

"I'm working, Dar." Hans's tone held a note of impatience.

Tears welled up in Darla's eyes. "If that's more important..."

"What?" Darla heard him ask someone else in the room. "Yeah- I'll be right there."

"Where are you?" Darla asked.

"At the studio," he replied.

"Well, I won't keep you then," Darla said, her lower lip trembling.

"I'll ring you later," he said.

Darla hung up the phone and put her head in her hands.

Drew stood in the doorway, watching her sister. "Dar?"

Darla looked up at her sister. "He---he thinks it's all my fault and he doesn't even care that he's going to miss my first ultrasound."

"He WHAT?" Drew asked in disbelief.

Darla nodded. "I don't even know him anymore, Drew."

"I'm sorry Dar," Drew sat down next to her twin.

"Will you go with me?" Darla asked in a small voice.

"Of course I will," Drew said immediately.

"Thank you," Darla said hugging her sister.

"Anything for you," Drew replied.

247. Chapter 247---Ashley's Birthday

Authors’ note: If you were looking for a break from the Saffy drama you get it this chapter. This is all about the kids at Hogwarts. We hope you enjoy!

It was Ashley's birthday and unbeknownst to her, Brittany had planned a little surprise party for her in the common room. She had enlisted Zander to distract their friend while she got everything set up.

Zander was sitting with Ashley in the library trying to keep her down here. Lucky for him, she was very patient and didn't seem to be too upset that it was taking him a long to grasp a simple concept.

"So would you use aconite or asphodel?" Zander asked.

"For this, aconite," Ashley said.

"Oh," Zander said pretending he hadn't known that. "I always get those two mixed up."

"It's okay," Ashley assured him. "Sometimes I do too."

"Now you're just trying to make me feel better," Zander said.

"Would I lie to you?" Ashley asked jokingly.

"Of course not," Zander said. "So what I was thinking..."

"Hello, Miss Malfoy," Charlie said tapping her on the shoulder.

Ashley turned. "Hi Charlie," she blushed.

"A little birdie told me it was your birthday," Charlie said with a grin.

"Yeah," Ashley said. "Thirteenth."

"Happy Birthday," Charlie said.

"Thank you," Ashley said, her face still pink.

Zander glared at the older boy, who seemed oblivious.

"So, I read about your father's tour coming up this summer," Charlie said.

"Yeah," Ashley nodded. "He said we can go to a few places with him."

Charlie offered her his most charming smile. "So...I was wondering...."

"Yeah?" Ashley asked.

"Can you front me some tickets?" Charlie asked.

Her smile slipped a little. "Um... I don't know. I'd... have to ask my dad."

"I'm a big fan of his music," Charlie told her.

"He doesn't really have any control over who gets the tickets," Ashley told him.

"But you can hook me up, right?" Charlie asked. "I need about six tickets for me and my mates."

"She said she didn't know," Zander snapped.

Charlie ignored him. "And it would really, really help if you could get us backstage. I sort of told everyone that you would..."

"I don't know if I can," Ashley stood up, upset. "I told you, my dad has no control over who gets the tickets."

Charlie chuckled. "Come on, Ash."

"She told you she can't," Zander glared at him. "And it's not cool to pretend you like her when you just want tickets for her dad's show."

Charlie stood up and put his arm around Ashley. "As close to front row as possible, Ash. That'd be great."

Ashley pulled away from him. "I don't think I can do that, Charlie."

"Just see what you can do," Charlie said smiling at her. "I'll catch you later."

"What a jerk," Zander complained once Charlie had left.

Ashley felt like such a fool. She'd thought that Charlie had genuinely liked her.

"He's a loser," Zander told her. "If he was using you to get tickets--"

"I don't know why I'm surprised," Ashley said looking down at her feet. "Stuff like this has been happening all my life. I just---I thought he was different."

"Stuff like what?" Zander asked.

"People wanting to be my friend because of who my dad is or because of my grandfather," Ashley said quietly. "It's one of the reasons I didn't really have friends before..."

Zander shook his head. "Then people are missing out. Because you're one of the most amazing people I know." he turned a bright red.

Ashley looked up at him and smiled. "Zander..."

He shrugged, embarrassed.

"That's the sweetest thing anyone has ever said to me," Ashley said softly.

"It's the truth," he said, rubbing the back of his neck. He wished he could tell her how he really felt about her.

"Thanks," Ashley blushed.

He glanced at his watch. "We should head back to the common room."

"Yeah," Ashley nodded.

They gathered their things and headed upstairs. On the way back, they passed Charlie with a few of his friends.

"Front row, Malfoy," Charlie called out to her. "If you can do that, you can sit with us at the Ravenclaw table."

"No thanks," Ashley replied, turning away.

Charlie's friends laughed right along with him.

Ashley bit her lower lip as she and Zander hurried away.

"I thought you said you'd get the tickets," one of Charlie's friends said.

"She'll come around," Charlie replied.

Zander dropped his books and took off after the older boys. "She's not getting tickets for you or your friends, okay?"

Another one of Charlie's friends laughed. "Yeah sure, pip squeak."

"Zander," Ashley called after him. "Come on. Let's just go."

"You don't know what an idiot you are," Zander said angrily to Charlie. "You have no idea what a great girl Ashley is. You pretended to fancy her just so she could get you tickets to her dad's concert and that's really lame."

Charlie rolled his eyes. "And who are you? Her little puppy dog?"

"Her best friend," Zander retorted.

"Come on," Charlie said. "Let's get out of here and leave the children alone. Run along now, Murray."

"Yeah," Zander sneered. "You guys try and beg tickets off someone else."

The older boys walked in the other direction, laughing the entire way.

Ashley handed Zander his books. "Thanks for standing up for me."

Zander nodded. "Those guys are jerks, Ash."

"I can see that now," Ashley said softly.

"Come on," Zander said, taking her books. "Let's go forget about those creeps."

Ashley smiled. "That's a brilliant idea, Mr. Murray."

"Got you to smile," Zander grinned at her.

Ashley nudged him. "You always can."

"That's my job," he replied.

Ashley led the way up the staircase to Gryffindor Tower. "What do you want to be bet Brit's staring adoringly at Evan while he plays Exploding Snap?" Ashley asked him.

Zander hid his smile. "Bet that's exactly what she's doing."

Ashley laughed. "She was doing that this morning when he was eating his waffles."

"And in class when he was taking notes," Zander replied.

"She's got it bad," Ashley said shaking her head.

So do I, Zander wanted to say but kept his mouth shut.

Ashley said the password and the two of them climbed through the portrait hole.

"SURPRISE!"

Ashley jumped back and bumped into Zander, causing him to drop their books on the floor.

"It's about time!" Brittany exclaimed. "Zander, you were supposed to be here half an hour ago!"

"Sorry," Zander gave his cousin a look.

Ashley looked around at the Common Room which was decorated with balloons and streamers and a big banner that said "Happy Birthday, Ash!"

"You guys did this for me?" she asked.

"Guilty," Brittany said happily. She stepped forward and gave her best friend a hug. "Happy Birthday!"

"Thanks Brit," Ashley hugged her back. "This is such a great surprise."

"Evan and Zander helped with the planning," Brittany said.

"I'm really not as stupid as I was pretending to be downstairs," Zander said with a grin. "I was trying to keep you in the library until it was time."

Ashley turned and gave him a hug too. "I should have known."

Zander's cheeks turned red. "Happy Birthday, Ash."

"Your mum brought a cake that Greta made for you," Brittany said pointing to the cake on the table. "We also have a bunch of snacks and juice that we nicked from the kitchens."

"Wow," Ashley said. "This is incredible!"

Zander used his wand to light the candles on Ashley's cake. "Everyone sing, except for Brit. You know she's tone deaf..."

"Shut up Zander," Brittany retorted.

The students in the common room began singing "Happy Birthday" to Ashley. She forgot momentarily about what had happened with Charlie.

She closed her eyes and leaned over to blow out her candles.

"Make a wish!" Brittany called out. "Make it a good one!"

Ashley took a deep breath. "I wish people would like me for who I am and not my family," she said under her breath before blowing out all thirteen candles.

"Nice job!" Brittany exclaimed. "Good going, Ash!"

"Thanks," Ashley said with a grin. "Chocolate, right?"

"Of course," Julie said coming up behind her daughter. "Don't worry...I'm not going to be here long. I just wanted to wish you a Happy Birthday!"

"Mum!" Ashley exclaimed.

Julie gave her a hug. "It's not everyday that you turn 13, is it?"

"Nope," Ashley said hugging her tighter. "How are Dad and Katie and Sophie?"

"They're great," Julie said. "I was just upstairs in your room. I left your presents on your bed. There's also something from Saffy, Ethan and Maddie, and your grandparents up there."

"Thanks," Ashley said with a broad grin. "Tell everyone I miss them, will you?"

"I will," Julie promised. "You lot behave yourself and don't party too late. Your curfew is still 10."

"Yes Professor," Ashley teased.

Julie grinned. "Good night, Ashley."

"See you tomorrow, Mum." Ashley replied.

Julie smiled at her daughter before leaving.

"I tried to see if she'd let Charlie sneak in here for the party, but she said no," Brittany told Ashley.

Ashley shook her head. "That's okay... I'm glad he's not here."

Brittany pulled a confused face. "Ash?"

"He was just using me to get tickets for my dad's concert this summer," Ashley replied quietly.

"He what?" Brittany asked, gaping at her.

"Zander stood up for me," Ashley glanced back at him.

Brittany turned and looked at her cousin. "You did?"

"What?" Zander asked.

"Charlie was using Ash to get tickets to her dad's tour?" Brittany asked. "And you stood up for her?"

"Yeah," Zander said. "What a bloody wanker."

"Ash," Brittany said sympathetically. "I'm so sorry."

Ashley shrugged. "I'd rather have friends who like me for me, not my dad."

"You do," Brittany said smiling at her. "Me and Zander."

"Thanks," Ashley said gratefully. "You guys are the best."

"Tell me something I don't know," Brittany grinned.

"Let's have some of that cake," Ashley replied. "If Greta made it, it's going to be the best tasting thing here."

"Zander, you can do the honours," Brittany said motioning toward the knife.

"Ashley should," Zander declined.

"He's going to make me do the work on my birthday?" Ashley asked pretending to be affronted. "Zander Murray, what am I going to do with you?"

"All right, all right," Zander picked up the knife.

"Thank you," Ashley said sweetly.

Zander managed to slice into the cake and deposit on plates without making a huge mess. "Your piece, Ash." he said.

"Thank you," Ashley said smiling at him. "That's just the one I wanted."

Zander grinned back. "Does that mean I don't have to get you a present?"

"What you did for me tonight was present enough," Ashley said genuinely.

"It was no problem," Zander said.

"She's opening my present first," Brittany said.

"Of course she is," Zander rolled his eyes.

Brittany ignored her cousin and rushed over to the table and grabbed her present. She handed it to Ashley. "I hope you like it!"

"I'm sure I will," Ashley said. "Thanks Brit."

Ashley unwrapped the present and grinned when she saw what it was. It was a book about Claude Monet, Ashley's favourite artist.

"The woman in the book shop helped me pick it out," Brittany said.

"This is fantastic," Ashley hugged her. "Thank you so much!"

"Of course," Brittany grinned. "I'm so happy you like it!"

Zander came forward with a slender box. "This sort of goes with her gift," he said.

Ashley grinned. "You two actually collaborated?"

"Sort of," Brittany said.

Zander watched as Ashley unwrapped his present. He really hoped that she would like it.

It was a new set of paint brushes that with the proper incantation, would help paint like the artist you liked.

"You're not saying anything," Zander said watching her. "Do you already have them? I can give you the receipt...."

"No I love them," Ashley breathed.

Zander grinned in relief. "Really?"

"They're perfect," Ashley gave him a hug.

Zander hugged her tightly. Every day his feelings for her became stronger. None of this made sense to him and he didn't know what to do half of the time. While a part of him was happy that Charlie had shown her his true colours, he was upset that she'd been hurt.

"You two are the best," Ashley said sincerely.

"We're bloody brilliant," Brittany said grinning at her. "You have to tell me...did you have any idea we were throwing you a party?"

"None," Ashley shook her head.

Brittany grinned. "You have no idea how hard it was to keep it a secret!"

"Especially for her," Zander cracked.

"It's just because I tell her everything!" Brittany said nudging him. "Best friends do that!"

"We just figured you'd be up here mooning over Evan," Ashley teased.

"I do not moon!" Brittany said defensively. "Ash!"

Zander laughed. "Yes you do."

"It's just because he's so cute!" Brittany exclaimed, looking over at the object of her affection. He was talking with a couple of first-years. "I can't help it!"

"Oh he's so cute," Zander batted his eyes.

Ashley giggled. "He's got you down, Brit."

"Whatever," Brittany glared at her cousin.

"I'm going to get some more juice," Ashley said. "I'll be right back. Try and get along..."

"What really happened?" Brittany asked.

"With Charlie, you mean?" Zander asked. Brittany nodded.

"That wanker came up to us in the library," Zander told her. "Said that he'd heard it was Ash's birthday and she lit up like a firefly."

"I didn't realise she fancied him back," Brittany said.

"Neither did I," Zander said quietly. "But, he didn't waste any time asking her if she could get him front-row tickets to her dad's tour."

Brittany's jaw dropped.

"I wanted to hex him," Zander said remembering the look on Ashley's face.

"You should have," Brittany said angrily.

"We ran into him again on our way back here," Zander said. "He and his mates were having a laugh about it. He said that if she got him the tickets, he'd let her sit with him in the Great Hall."

"Like she'd want to," Brittany rolled her eyes.

"I don't think he'll be bothering her again," Zander said. "I just---she's amazing and he doesn't even know it."

Brittany smiled at him.

"And it doesn't matter to me or to you who her dad is," Zander said.

"Of course not," Brittany replied. "It never did."

"This is such a great party," Ashley said as she rejoined them. "I can't believe you did this for me."

"Like we said, we're your best friends," Brittany put an arm around her. "We'd do anything for you, Ash."

"Thanks, guys," Ashley said beaming at them.

"I'm in the mood for more cake," Zander said.

"I told you it was good," Ashley said. "Can you get me another piece, too?"

"Sure," Zander replied.

"Zander told me about what happened with Charlie," Brittany said when they were alone. "I'm really sorry, Ash."

Ashley shrugged.

"I thought he was one of the good guys," Brittany said.

"So did I," Ashley replied. "But it was all just to get tickets to my dad's show."

"It's his loss," Brittany said smiling at her.

"Right," Ashley nodded.

"So Zander defended your honour, eh?" Brittany teased.

"Yeah," Ashley said. "It was really sweet of him."

"He'd do anything for you," Brittany told her. "We both would."

"Thanks," Ashley said softly.

"Your mum was great helping us too," Brittany told her.

"That's cool," Ashley replied. "Sometimes I feel like she's not much older than me."

"I'd freak out if my mum was a professor here," Brittany said shuddering. "She'd probably stop class to smooth down my hair..."

Ashley laughed. "I warned her not to do that sort of thing."

"She's great," Brittany said. "When we're in class, she treats you just like any other student."

"I'm sure she has to," Ashley pointed out.

"Has to what?" Zander asked.

"My mum," Ashley said. "She's got to treat me as any other student in classes."

"She does," Zander agreed, handing Ashley her cake. "Brit, Evan was asking for you."

"Really!" Brittany asked brightly.

Zander and Ashley exchanged amused looks.

"Really," Zander said. "We'll see you later."

Brittany took off across the common room towards Evan and Zander grinned at Ashley.

"We'll not see her again for the rest of the night," Ashley laughed.

"Probably not," he agreed.

"Let's go and sit down," Ashley said motioning toward the sofa in front of the fireplace.

"Okay," Zander said eagerly.

Ashley led the way and they sat down in front of the fire. "I can't wait to use my brushes, Zander."

"I'm really glad you like them," Zander said.

"I was saving up my allowance to buy a set myself," Ashley told him.

"I didn't know that," he said.

Ashley nodded. "I saw them in my favourite art shop and I knew I wanted them."

"Must have read your mind then," Zander replied.

"You'll do well in Divination next year," Ashley teased.

"Just what I wanted," he deadpanned.

"I haven't decided if I want to take that or not," Ashley admitted.

"I don't think I will," he answered.

"I'm leaning toward Ancient Runes," Ashley told him. "Or Arithmancy."

"You should take both, if you want to," Zander replied.

"Maybe," Ashley said thoughtfully. "It would quite a course load, though. How about you?"

"I definitely want to continue with Care of Magical Creatures," Zander said. "And I like Herbology. I just wish I could drop Potions."

"You're doing so much better," Ashley said. "Snape sees that."

"Yeah right," Zander shook his head.

"You've really improved, Zander," Ashley said proudly.

"Thanks to you," he told her.

"I was happy to help," Ashley said.

He smiled at her. "Time and time again..."

"I'll send you the bill at the end of the term," Ashley joked.

"Might have to sell off those cards you saved to pay you," he joked back.

"My prices have gone way up," Ashley said grinned. "You'll have to do better than those cards..."

"Uh oh," Zander said. "Lots of butterbeer next year when we can finally go to Hogsmeade?"

"That's a start," Ashley said pretending to mull this over.

"I can sell off a kidney," Zander said. "I only need one of them..."

Ashley laughed. "Zander, I would never make you give up a vital organ!"

"Kidding," Zander bumped her shoulder.

Ashley bumped him back. "You're going to ace your Potions final. Mark my words."

"With your help?" Zander asked. "Sure I will. But it'll never please Snape."

"Sod Snape," Ashley said looking at him.

Zander looked surprised. "Did Ashley Malfoy just curse?"

Ashley blushed. "Maybe..."

"Thirteen for a day and already you have bad habits," Zander teased, nudging her.

"Maybe it's the company I keep," Ashley said laughing.

"Are you calling me a bad influence?" he asked.

"I would never do that," Ashley said taking her fork and grabbing a bite of cake from Zander's plate.

"Hey!" he protested.

"My Aunt Maddie does that to my uncle all the time," Ashley said before popping the cake into her mouth.

"Yeah, so?" Zander pulled his plate away.

"He acts just like you do when she does it," Ashley said grinning at him.

"Cause he wants to eat his food too," Zander replied.

"I'm sorry," Ashley apologised. "I will never come between you and your food ever again."

"Well it is your cake," Zander shrugged.

"And I get to eat it, too," Ashley grinned.

He laughed at that.

They heard Brittany giggling on the other side of the room and that made both of them laugh even harder.

"She's completely gone," Ashley shook her head.

"You think?" Zander asked rolling his eyes. "I swear if I have to hear her tell me how gorgeous his eyes are..."

"You don't have to hear it as much as I do," Ashley pointed out.

"I forgot," Zander said. "I get a chance to leave it when I go to bed. You don't."

"It's okay though," Ashley said. "I'm sure when I finally do get a boyfriend, I'll talk her ear off."

Zander took a bite of his cake to avoid saying anything about that. He didn't like to think of Ashley getting a boyfriend.

"Someday," Ashley said thoughtfully.

"I doubt you'll be as annoying," Zander said quietly.

Ashley smiled. "Hopefully not."

"Not a bad party, eh?" Zander asked, eager to change the subject.

"This has really been great," Ashley said. "I can't believe how many people are down here!"

"Everyone was really looking forward to it," Zander told her.

"Really?" Ashley asked.

"Absolutely," Zander said setting his empty plate down on the table.

"I didn't know that many people knew me," Ashley said softly.

"Well, I must admit that the free food and drinks kind of lured the older ones," Zander said with a grin.

Ashley smiled. "I should have guessed."

"So how does it feel to be 13?' Zander asked her.

"The same as it did to be 12," Ashley said.

"Everyone makes such a big deal about it," Zander said thoughtfully. "Becoming a teenager and all that rubbish."

"We're supposed to become difficult," Ashley replied.

"And moody," Zander said. "And sullen ..."

"Maybe you," Ashley nudged him.

"Oh yeah," Zander said dryly. "That's me...sullen and moody."

"You will be," Ashley teased.

"Brit's the one we have to look out for," Zander said. "My aunt says that if she's this boy-crazy at 12, she doesn't know what the next few years is going to hold."

"That's what Greta says about Katie," Ashley confided.

"Your mum and dad are going to have their hands full," Zander said.

"I guess I'll have to live up to my reputation as the good child," Ashley joked.

"What would they think if they found about that night we spent in the Forbidden Forest?" Zander asked her teasingly.

"That always stays between us," Ashley said. "Can you believe it was almost a year ago?"

"I know," Zander said with a grin.

"I'll never forget that unicorn," Ashley said.

"Me either," Zander said. "That was amazing."

"I had to tell my mum I got those images I drew from a book," Ashley looked at the fire.

Zander looked at her and found himself unable to say a word. She looked so pretty in the firelight.

She turned and caught him looking at her. "Do I have chocolate on my face or something?"

Zander shook his head. "No...I was just...I was just..."

Ashley blushed.

"I'm going to get something to drink," Zander said standing up. "I-I'll get you something too."

"Okay," Ashley replied softly.

Zander practically ran in the other direction.

"What's wrong with Zander?" Brittany asked her.

Ashley shrugged. "He's gone to get us a drink."

"Running?" Brittany asked.

"Maybe he was really thirsty," Ashley said in his defence. "We were sitting by the fire."

"Evan is soooooo cute," Brittany flopped beside her.

"You're in luuuuuuuuuuuuuurve," Ashley teased.

"Oh totally," Brittany replied.

Ashley laughed. "You looked like you were having fun."

"He's just so dreamy," Brittany said.

"He's really nice," Ashley said smiling at her.

"I think the party's starting to break up," Brittany said. "The food is gone."

"And curfew's fast approaching," Ashley said. "Thank you so much for this, Brit."

"You'd do it for me," Brittany said. "Hint, hint."

"I've already got some great ideas for your birthday party," Ashley giggled.

"Tell me!" Brittany squealed.

Ashley shook her head. "No. Not a chance."

"Come on," she wheedled.

"Well, I was going to see if Greta could make you this really cool cake like the one she made for Katie's last birthday," Ashley said.

"Like?" Brittany pressed.

"Well," Ashley said. "For Katie's last birthday, Greta baked a cake in the shape of a handbag with makeup and stuff coming out of it. It was really cool and Katie liked it so much, she almost didn't let us cut into it."

"No WAY!" Brittany said. "Ash! That's SOOO cool!"

Ashley grinned. "I thought you'd like it. Greta's amazing with cakes."

"I'll say," Brittany replied. "That cake she made you was divine."

"I'm going to owl her before I go to bed to thank her for it," Ashley said.

"Cool," Brittany said. "Think we can sneak up to the Owlery?"

"We'd better not chance it," Ashley said thoughtfully. "I'll send the letter before classes tomorrow."

Brittany nodded, leaning back against the sofa.

Zander was killing time at the empty refreshment table. How could he have been so stupid to look at Ashley like he did?

"You know, looking at the table, isn't going to make more food appear," Evan joked.

"What?" Zander jumped.

"I didn't mean to startle you, mate," Evan apologised. "Brit asked me to help clean up."

"Cool," Zander said. "I'll help too."

"Ash was really surprised," Evan said gathering up some empty paper cups on the table.

"It was hard keeping her distracted," Zander said.

"I told Brit she should have been in charge of that," Evan said. "But she said she didn't trust you with the decorations."

Zander smiled. "It worked out."

"You and Ash looked cosy by the fire," Evan commented.

"We're just friends," Zander said quickly.

Evan raised an eyebrow. "I didn't say you weren't."

"Oh yeah," Zander said sheepishly. "Sorry mate."

"So do you have your eye on anyone?" Evan asked.

"Uh, no." Zander said. "Nobody."

"I kind of thought you fancied Ashley, truth be told," Evan said. "I mean, you are always around her. But, Brit said you and Ash were just friends."

"Yeah," Zander mumbled. "We are..." he was mortified that Evan had picked up on his crush on Ashley.

"Brit!" Evan called out over his shoulder. "When you asked me to help clean up, I didn't realise I'd be doing it on my own while you sat on your bum!"

"I'll be right there," she replied in a flirtatious tone.

"She likes giving orders," Evan said, but he was smiling.

"She always has," Zander replied.

"Probably always will be," Evan said. "But that's why we like her so much."

"Maybe you do," Zander joked.

"You're her family," Evan said laughing. "You're obligated to."

"Unfortunately," Zander said as Ashley and Brittany joined them.

"This is the part I don't like," Brittany pouted. "The cleaning up part."

"We can use magic," Ashley pulled out her wand.

"Oh," Brittany said hitting her forehead. "Of course."

Evan laughed. "We should take advantage of that while we can."

Brittany nodded. "Because we can't do it when we're out of school which totally sucks."

"They should let us so we can practise spells and stuff over the summer," Zander complained.

"They'd just tell us to read a book," Brittany said as Ashley made quick work of the mess with her wand.

"Probably," Evan said. "Way to go, Ash."

Ashley took a bow. "Thank you. Thank you."

"We should get to bed before Peeves rats us out," Evan said.

"Right," Zander said. "Do you need any help carrying your stuff upstairs, Ash?"

"I think I've got it," Ashley said. "Thanks Zander."

Zander smiled shyly at her. "You're welcome. Happy Birthday, Ash."

"Thanks again for my party," Ashley gave him a hug. "And for my brushes."

"I'm really glad, Ash," Zander said softly. When he pulled away from her, he noticed Evan and Brittany watching them. "Um, good night."

"Night," Ashley said.

"I'll be up in a moment," Brittany said with a meaningful glance at Evan.

Evan grinned. "Okay. Happy Birthday, Ashley."

"You too," Ashley giggled. "See you in a few, Brit."

"She's got to get her mooning in before bedtime," Zander joked to Ashley.

"Somehow I don't think mooning over Evan is all she's going to do," Ashley whispered.

"Snogging," Zander said quietly.

"Yeah," Ashley said, blushing as she looked over at him.

Zander flashed to the sleepover on New Year's Eve. He wondered what she'd do if they kissed again. All he'd have to do is lean in, right?

Ashley felt her breath catch as Zander stared at her.

"Um," Zander stammered.

"Yeah?" she asked softly.

"I was just wondering," Zander started to say.

"Wondering what?" Ashley asked, her stomach flipping over.

Just do it, he heard a little voice in his head say. Just kiss her. It was what he wanted to do more than anything.

"Zander," she whispered.

"Yeah?" he asked nervously.

"What are you doing?" she asked.

Zander stepped back. "Nothing."

Ashley bit her lower lip. "Okay..."

"I should go upstairs," Zander said motioning to the staircase. "It's late."

"Yeah, I'm tired," Ashley nodded. "I'll um... I'll see you in the morning."

"Good night," Zander said. "Happy Birthday."

"Thanks," Ashley said, continuing down to her dormitory.

She set her presents down on her bedside table and smiled when she saw the presents from her family.

She was touched that everyone had remembered her birthday and loved the party her friends had thrown for her.

Friends. Friends who liked her for the person she was and not because of the people she was related to.

Ashley resolved to put Charlie out of her head and concentrate on the things that really mattered in her life.

Her eyes fell on the set of brushes that Zander had given her. They'd had two awkward moments tonight and she didn't know what they meant.

She hadn't thought much about their kiss on New Year's Eve, but wondered if it had meant more to Zander than she previously thought. For a moment downstairs, she'd thought he was going to kiss her again.

Ashley put her new things away and changed into her pyjamas. She wondered if she WANTED Zander to kiss her again.

After their kiss on New Year's things had been so awkward and strained. She didn't want to go through that again. His friendship meant everything in the world to her.

Ashley resolved to put the kiss out of her mind again and continue just being friends with Zander. She couldn't lose him as a friend.

248. Chapter 248 Gabe's Surprise Visitor

Authors’ note: We hope you will enjoy this chapter. It’s Gabe/Alexa and some Saffy/Andrew. The next chapter introduces a new character that we hope you will all like and if you check the orkut group on Sunday, you’ll get a sneak peek!

“Come on,” Nico said to Gabriel. “Let’s go and grab a pizza or something.”

Gabriel didn’t look up from his books. He had a very important paper due in the next few days and he was busy with his research. Nico was trying to keep him company, but they’d already been thrown out of the library because of Nico’s loud mouth. Gabriel didn’t mind being outside though. The weather was nice, but he wasn’t really able to enjoy it. He had to concentrate on his research.

“A burger and fries might be good too,” Nico said thoughtfully. “What do you want to do, Gabe?”

“If it doesn’t have to do with the inner workings of the human digestive system, I really don’t care, Nico.”

"But it does," Nico argued. "It's food, and we digest it..."

Gabriel looked up at him. "You can go and get whatever you want. I'm not going anywhere."

"Can I take your car then?" Nico asked.

Gabriel laughed. "That's what this is all about, isn't it?"

"No," Nico denied. "I'm hungry, dammit."

"And you love my car," Gabriel pointed out.

"Fine," Nico stood up. "I'll just walk."

Gabriel reached into his backpack and pulled out his keys. "Hang on. Here you go."

"Seriously?" Nico asked.

"Yes, but I do expect to get it back," Gabriel joked, handing over the keys.

"Hell yeah," Nico grabbed them. "Thanks man."

"I'm doing it to give myself some peace and quiet," Gabriel said.

"I'll bring you back something from In-n-Out," Nico said before taking off.

Gabriel shook his head. Nico was something else. "Okay," he said to himself. "Back to the oesophagus..."

He was absorbed in his reading again when someone came up behind him and put their hands over his eyes. "Nico!" he snapped. "I TOLD you--"

"It's not Nico," a female voice with a British accent whispered in his ear.

Gabriel spun around. "Lexie?"

"Surprise!" Alexa said grinning at him.

"What are you doing here?" he gaped at her.

Alexa sat down beside him. "Well, my parents and I arrived this morning. We had a campus tour at UCLA. My parents are back at the hotel...and I came here to find you."

Gabriel grinned. "I can't believe you're here!"

Alexa hugged him. "I'm so glad to see you. I missed you!"

Gabriel held her tightly, burying his nose in her hair. "I missed you too."

"I have so much to tell you," Alexa said. "Something happened with Saffy..."

"What?" Gabriel asked, concerned.

"You remember that creep from New Year's?" Alexa asked him. "The one who was trying to take advantage of her?"

"Yeah," Gabriel nodded.

Alexa told him about what had happened at Scanlon's party. "I've been spending most of my time with her trying to help her get through it."

"Man," Gabriel shook his head. "If I was there..."

"I know," Alexa said squeezing his hand. "But they've put him away in Azkaban. He won't be able to hurt her again."

"That's your wizarding prison, right?" Gabriel asked. "Really high security?"

"Oh yes," Alexa said nodding. "He's not going anywhere for a long, long time. I've never seen Andrew, Harry, or Ethan that angry before. They wanted to kill him."

"I'd have been right with them," Gabriel said. "Hasn't she been through enough?"

"I know," Alexa said quietly. "She's so fragile right now."

"Perhaps I'll write to her later," Gabriel said.

"She'd love that," Alexa said smiling at him.

"But in the meantime..." Gabriel leaned in and gave her a kiss.

"I missed that," Alexa whispered when they pulled apart.

"Me too," he tucked her hair behind her ear.

"The campus is so big," Alexa said. "It took all morning for the tour, but I just kept taking everything in. I think I'm going to like it."

"I think so too," Gabriel said. "I almost went to UCLA."

"You're doing really well here," Alexa said proudly.

"I liked their medical program better," Gabriel stuffed his books into his bag.

"I mentioned to one of the girls in our group that my boyfriend went to USC and she said I was 'sleeping with the enemy'," Alexa giggled. "Apparently, our schools are huge rivals, Gabe. I had no idea."

"I never paid much attention to that," Gabriel chuckled.

Alexa laughed. "That's what I told her."

Gabriel took her hand. "Come on- I'll show you around here."

"I'd like that," Alexa said. "You---you sure you have enough time?"

"For you?" Gabriel asked. "Of course."

Alexa grinned. " Great."

Gabriel took her around the campus, showing her the hall where he had most of his classes as well as the student union.

"How about we get a drink?" Alexa asked.

"Sure," Gabriel agreed.

"I'm still trying to get used to this much sunlight," Alexa said grinning at him. "I'm not used to it."

He laughed. "Used to the rain, eh? You'll have a tan in a week."

"And surfing," Alexa said as they joined the queue in the student union. "Don't forget that."

"You want to surf?" Gabriel asked in surprise.

"Only joking," Alexa said. "I have enough trouble staying upright on land. I can't imagine what damage I'd do to myself on a surfboard."

"On weekends we're not busy, we'll hit the beach," Gabriel promised.

"I'm going to hold you to that," Alexa said. "Mr. Work-a-holic."

"You might be just what the doctor ordered," Gabriel teased her.

Alexa leaned against him. "You know if all this hadn't have happened, I'd be in school right now."

"I know," Gabriel said.

"You hung in there though," Alexa said turning to look at him. "I'm so glad you did."

"You mean everything to me," Gabriel told her.

"As you do to me," Alexa said softly.

Gabriel gave her another kiss. "Love you."

"I love you," Alexa said hugging him tightly.

Just as Gabriel leaned in to kiss her again, his phone rang.

Alexa laughed. "You'd better get that."

"Hello?" Gabriel asked. "Nico?"

"Gabe, I was wondering if I could keep your car a little longer?" Nico asked.

"Why?" Gabriel asked suspiciously.

"You remember Gina?" Nico asked. "I kind of ran into her and I might have implied that the car was mine..."

"Nico..." Gabriel shook his head.

"Just for one night, man," Nico pleaded. "I promise I'll drop it off at your grandparents' house..."

"You're not keeping it all night," Gabriel said.

"I'll have it back in a couple of hours," Nico promised.

"I do need to go home tonight," Gabriel pointed out. "If it's not back by six..."

"It will be," Nico said. "You're the best, Gabe. I take back everything bad I ever said about you."

"What?" Gabriel asked.

"Nothing," Nico said hastily. "See you later, Gabe!"

"Still same Nico I see," Alexa said as Gabriel put his phone away.

"He never changes," Gabriel shook his head. "Apparently, he's told someone that my car is his and he promises he'll have the car back in a couple of hours."

Alexa laughed. "He's one of a kind."

"The world couldn't handle more than one of him," Gabriel said as they approached the counter. "So, Lex, what do you want?"

"A soda would be nice," Alexa said.

"Are you hungry?" Gabriel asked.

"Why don't we split a sandwich?" she suggested.

"That sounds like a plan," Gabriel said telling the girl at the counter what they wanted.

“Ooh, can we get a bag of crisps, too?” Alexa asked spotting them behind the girl.

“What?” the girl asked confused. “What are ‘crisps’?”

"Chips," Gabriel replied.

"Oh," the girl said. "Sure---coming right up."

"Good thing I have you as a translator," Alexa joked.

Gabriel laughed. "You do the same for me when we're on your turf."

"Guess that's why we make a good pair," Alexa replied.

Gabriel paid for their food and drinks. "Do you want to sit outside?" he asked her.

"Absolutely," Alexa said. "I don't want to miss a moment of this weather."

"There are some tables right through here," Gabriel said. "Come on..."

Alexa followed him outside. "This is perfect."

Alexa followed him outside. "This is perfect."

"So what else is going on with you?" Gabriel asked.

"Aside from just helping out Saffy, I've been working at the bakery and saving money for university," Alexa said.

"How did your parents like UCLA?" Gabriel asked when they sat down.

"They really liked it a lot," Alexa replied. "We met the girl I'll be rooming with in the dormitory. She was really sweet."

"But she's not Saffy, right?" Gabriel asked.

"There is only one Saffron," Alexa said with a grin.

"Hopefully, she'll come and visit us over here," Gabriel said. "She and Andrew."

"That would be so much fun," Alexa said, taking her half of the sandwich.

"How long are you and your parents going to be here?" Gabriel asked.

"Just overnight," Alexa said. "We had to fly in the Muggle way and our flight leaves tomorrow afternoon."

"We'll need to make the most of it," Gabriel said reaching for her hand.

"Yes we will," she wove their fingers together.

"My grandparents would love to see you too," Gabriel said.

Alexa smiled. "How are they?"

"Good," Gabriel replied. "I haven't seen them much the last few days. I leave early and go home late. I feel like I've been living in the library, or the lab or in a classroom."

"All work and no play," Alexa shook her head.

"Now you sound like Nico," Gabriel teased.

"Perish the thought," Alexa laughed.

"And how's RJ?" Gabriel asked. Now that he knew where things stood, he was finding that he actually liked Alexa's ex-boyfriend.

"He's been busy," Alexa said. "He's actually been by a lot to see Saffy. He feels guilty he wasn't at the party where... all that happened."

"It wasn't his fault," Gabriel said.

"I've told him that," Alexa said.

"Probably doesn't help," Gabriel said thoughtfully.

"You know RJ," Alexa shrugged. "I think the best thing for Saffron though is that Andrew has stood by her throughout this whole thing. He's hardly left her side."

"He's a good guy," Gabriel said. "Is she still playing Quidditch?"

Alexa nodded. "They have to find a new reserve Seeker but it's good for her to get out and play."

"At least she doesn't have worry about that asshole bothering her anymore," Gabriel said.

"You can say that again," Alexa replied bitterly. "He didn't even seem sorry for what he did to her."

"She'll get through this," Gabriel said. "She's one of the strongest people I know."

"Thankfully," Alexa agreed.

"And she has a great best friend," Gabriel smiled at her.

Alexa blushed. "I try."

"Have you remembered anything else?" Gabriel asked.

"Just bits and pieces of things, mostly." Alexa replied.

"Do you remember anything about the last time you were here?" Gabriel asked.

Alexa nodded. "Your grandparents' party... and then you taking me around Hollywood."

Gabriel grinned. "You remember that?"

"It was loads of fun," Alexa nodded.

"Yes it was," Gabriel agreed. "Well, except for Nico trying to get my dad to buy him a beer."

Alexa laughed. "I don't remember that!"

"Nico's sneaky," Gabriel said. "Among other things. But Dad handled it well. I haven't seen him in a few weeks either, actually."

"He was in England about a week ago," Alexa said. "He was over at Saffy's house when I was there."

"Oh yeah?" Gabriel asked. "So does he know?"

Alexa nodded.

"I wish someone would have told me sooner," Gabriel said. "I would have liked to have helped somehow."

"I'm sorry," Alexa said. "I should have told you straightaway."

"It's okay," Gabriel said. "I just feel like I've been out of contact with everyone because of my course load. I feel guilty."

"Yes but you've got to do this," Alexa put her hand on his arm.

Gabriel nodded. "I promise to try and spend more time with you especially when you're finally here."

"I'll make sure you keep that promise," Alexa grinned at him.

Gabriel leaned in and kissed her. "And we have spring break coming up soon and it'll be summer before we know it."

"Are you coming back to England?" she asked.

"That depends," Gabriel said grinning at her.

"On?" she asked.

"On what you're doing for the summer," Gabriel replied.

"Spending as much time with you, I hope." she replied.

"Are we going to Brighton again?" Gabriel asked.

"I haven't asked yet," Alexa said. "I think so."

"I can't wait to see you in a bikini again," Gabriel said huskily.

"Uh oh," Alexa said. "Something tells me you'll not like my new one piece..."

"I'm sure I'll love you in it," Gabriel said loyally.

"Well I was kidding," Alexa said. "I got a new bikini just a few days ago."

"O'Leary," Gabriel said shaking his head. "What am I going to do with you?"

"Kiss me," she said softly.

Gabriel moved over to sit beside her. "I can do that."

Alexa closed her eyes as her boyfriend gave her a gentle kiss.

"I love you," Gabriel said softly.

"I love you too," Alexa replied. "So, so much. I feel like the luckiest girl alive."

"I'm the lucky one," Gabriel said. "I nearly lost you and here you are."

Alexa leaned against him. "But you stuck by me through all this- I can't imagine what it must have been like for you when I thought I was still with RJ."

"Hell," Gabriel said. "But, if it was what you needed to get better, I was willing to do it."

"That's why you're the sweetest guy in the world," Alexa smiled at him.

Gabriel grinned. "Come on. You and I can get the bus back to my grandparents'."

"Okay," she agreed, taking his hand.

"So, how's my favourite little five-year old, Emma?" Gabriel asked as they walked toward the bus stop.

"She's fine," Alexa replied. "Told me to tell you to come visit her soon."

"She's the coolest little kid," Gabriel said grinning as he thought about her. "I was thinking I'd teach her how to play soccer."

"Soccer..." Alexa thought for a moment. "Oh- football."

Gabriel shook his head. "In September when you're here, I'll take you to a real FOOTBALL game, Lexie."

"I have so much to learn," Alexa laughed. "Perhaps I'll buy myself a book of American slang terms."

"That and say 'dude' after everything and you should be fine," Gabriel said.

"Okay, dude." Alexa tried.

Gabriel laughed. "With your accent it sounds too distinguished and proper."

Alexa bumped his shoulder. "Kick a girl while she's down..."

"I'm sorry," Gabriel said putting his arm around her. "You'll get it."

"Eventually," Alexa said as they arrived at the bus stop.

About fifteen minutes later, they arrived at Gabriel's house. Margaret was sitting on the porch and she nearly ran down the steps when she saw that her grandson was not alone. "Alexa!" Margaret exclaimed. "This is a nice surprise!"

"Hello Mrs. Boyd," Alexa gave the older woman a hug. "It's so lovely to see you again."

"And who is this handsome stranger you have with you?" Margaret asked. "He looks familiar..."

"Perhaps you know my boyfriend, Gabriel," Alexa joked.

"Nice to meet you, Gabriel," Margaret said extending her hand.

"Very funny," Gabriel replied dryly.

Margaret gave him a hug. "I've missed you, Gabe."

"I'm sorry I haven't been around much," Gabriel said. "There's just been so much going on lately."

"I know," Margaret said. "And I'm so proud of you. Nothing worthwhile is ever easy, I always say."

"What's Grandpa up to?" Gabriel asked.

"He's inside," Margaret said. "What brings you by Alexa?"

"My parents and I were touring UCLA," Alexa told her. "We're leaving tomorrow."

"That's a shame you aren't staying longer," Margaret said. "Do you have plans for dinner?"

"No," Alexa replied. "I think we were going to get something at the hotel."

"Nonsense," Margaret said. "If your parents are willing, we'd love to have all three of you here for dinner."

"Really?" Alexa asked. "I know it's last minute---"

"Gram lives to cook," Gabriel teased. "And I'm dying for some real food."

"I'll ring them right now," Alexa said. "Thanks, Mrs. Boyd."

"Here," Gabriel said. "You can use my phone."

"Thanks," Alexa said smiling at him.

"How are you?" Margaret asked her grandson. "I worry about you."

"Just busy," Gabriel set his bag down. "I've got a huge paper I have to finish by next week."

"Your father called earlier," Margaret told him. "He wanted to see how you were. He said to tell you he was in London."

"Alexa told me he was there last week too," Gabriel replied.

"He said he'd be back in California next week," Margaret said. "We had a nice long chat."

"About what?" Gabriel asked.

"About you and how much like your mother you are," Margaret said smiling at him. "Samantha worked just as hard as you did when she wanted something."

Gabriel smiled crookedly. "I miss her."

"I do too," Margaret said softly. "Every single day."

"I just really want her to be proud of me," Gabriel said. "I think she would be."

"I know she would be," Margaret said. "She always was."

"So what's for dinner?" Gabriel changed the subject.

"I was thinking I'd make a roast since we're having guests," Margaret said.

"My mouth is watering already," Gabriel joked as Alexa rejoined them.

"My parents will be here in about an hour," Alexa told them.

"I'd better get started then," Margaret said.

"Do you want any help, Mrs. Boyd?" Alexa asked.

"I'd love some help in making a salad," Margaret replied.

"You've got it," Alexa said smiling at her.

"I'll just go and see how grandpa is," Gabriel said.

He lugged his book bag into his room and set it down. Studying would have to wait.

He found his grandfather in the sitting room looking over his paper.

"Hey, Grandpa," Gabriel said.

"Gabriel!" Lewis beamed.

"I know, I know," Gabriel said with a grin. "You nearly forgot what I looked like..."

"I did," Lewis teased. He got up to give his grandson a hug.

"How've you been?" Gabriel asked.

"Fine," Lewis said. "Just fine... a touch of arthritis is all."

"Lexie's here," Gabriel told him. "She and her parents are going to join us for dinner."

"And you too, I hope," Lewis replied.

Gabriel laughed. "Of course. I know I've not been around much. School's been a bear lately."

"Once summer vacation comes, you'll be all ours again," Lewis replied.

"Partly," Gabriel said. "I'm thinking of spending most of it in London."

"Understandable," Lewis nodded.

"But I'll still be around to go with you to the Dodgers games," Gabriel promised. "We can't mess with tradition, right?"

"Never," Lewis agreed.

"Have you talked to my Dad?" Gabriel asked. "Gram said he called earlier."

"I was outside in the garden," Lewis replied.

"You're being nice to him when you do talk to him, right?" Gabriel asked.

"I promise," Lewis held up his hands. "I'm being perfectly cordial."

Gabriel smiled. "That's all I ask."

"What's your grandmother making for dinner?" Lewis asked.

"Roast," Gabriel replied. "Your favourite."

"Wonderful," Lewis's eyes gleamed. "I wonder if she's got any ready to taste..."

"Probably not," Gabriel said thoughtfully. "She just started. Lex is helping her."

“Well, I'll just go in and say hello," Lewis got up again.

Gabriel followed him into the kitchen.

"Hiya, Mr. Boyd," Alexa said when she saw Lewis.

"Hello Alexa," Lewis said. "It's great to see you again."

"It's great to see you too," Alexa said giving him a hug. "I must confess the real reason I'm here is to eat dinner. Nothing else matters."

"When Maggie is cooking, that's all that matters to me too," Lewis kissed her cheek.

"He can be quite a charmer when he wants to be," Margaret said.

"Now we know where Gabe gets it from," Alexa grinned at her boyfriend.

Gabriel grinned back at her. He still couldn't get over the fact that she was actually here.

"Where's your car, Gabe?" Margaret asked.

"That crazy Nico probably has it," Lewis said shaking his head.

"He does," Gabriel said sheepishly. "Trying to impress a girl, as usual."

"Good thing he doesn't know we're eating dinner," Lewis chuckled.

"He probably will," Gabriel said. "He's bringing the car back just about the time we'll be sitting down to eat."

"I should probably set another place then," Margaret said. "Alexa dear, you may want to warn your parents in advance."

"I'm sure he's not that bad," Alexa said.

"You've met Nico," Lewis stated. "He'll never change."

"Mom used to call him a stray dog that followed me home one day and refused to leave afterwards," Gabriel remembered fondly.

Margaret laughed. "But she always did like him. Said he got you to loosen up."

"That's one way of putting it," Gabriel said.

"I like to think I had a hand in that as well," Alexa said as she sliced up a tomato.

"You certainly did," Margaret said smiling at her. "You've been really good for Gabriel. He was so worried about you, Alexa."

"It hasn't been an easy year for any of us," Alexa said. "But thanks to my family and friends things have really turned around."

"How's that Saffron?" Lewis asked. "I like her. She's got spunk."

"She's doing better," Alexa decided not to get into her best friend's current situation. She knew Gabriel had told Lewis and Margaret that she and Saffron had been in a terrible auto accident to explain her amnesia and Saffron's 'disappearance'.

"Lexie and I are going to have her come and visit in the fall," Gabriel told his grandparents.

"You three will have fun," Margaret nodded.

"I'll probably run up my phone bill the first few weeks of school," Alexa said. "Calling her everyday."

"That's how Sam was when Seamus went overseas," Margaret remembered.

"The last time I saw Mr. Finnegan, he showed me some photographs of her," Alexa said. "She was so beautiful and they looked so happy."

"She was beautiful," Margaret nodded.

"I wish I could have met her," Alexa said softly.

"She would have liked you," Lewis nodded. "Very much."

Alexa smiled. "Was she a big baseball fan like you?"

"The Dodgers or bust," Gabriel and Lewis said together, laughing.

"That sounds a little like my dad," Alexa said. "To him, there is no other football team but Manchester United."

"That's what they call soccer over there," Gabriel explained.

"Doesn't hold a candle to baseball," Lewis said. "That's the American past time."

"I'll take you to a Dodgers game once you come here," Gabriel promised. "Dad has fantastic seats."

"I'd like that," Alexa said happily. "You'll have to explain it all to me."

"Not a problem," Gabriel said quickly.

The four of them continued to talk while Alexa and Margaret made dinner. Gabriel had just finished setting the table when Alexa's parents arrived.

"This was really nice of you, Margaret," Karen said to her. "I know it was short notice and all."

"It was my pleasure," Margaret welcomed them in.

"You have a lovely home," Karen said.

"Thank you," Margaret said. "I'm sure Lewis would love to show Patrick the garden."

"Of course," Patrick said. "I'd love to see it."

Lewis took Patrick out back and Gabriel and Alexa busied themselves with bringing food to the table.

"Patrick and I haven't been to the States in ages," Karen said. "I can't get over the sunshine."

Margaret laughed. "I could never live where the sun doesn't shine almost all year."

"So we can rule out you moving to the U.K?" Karen joked.

"Afraid so," Margaret brought out a pitcher of lemonade. "Lewis and I are too set in our ways here."

"Well, since our girl is going to be living here, we're going to visit when we can," Karen said putting her arm around Alexa.

"By then I'll hopefully know more about the area," Alexa replied.

"You'll catch on," Margaret said confidently. "And you're welcome here anytime."

"Thank you," Alexa said with a smile.

"And I'll look out for her," Gabriel promised.

"We like hearing that," Karen replied warmly.

"What did you think of UCLA, Mrs. O'Leary?" Gabriel asked her.

"It's a lovely campus," Karen replied. "And we got to see Alexa's dormitory and meet her room mate."

"Her name's Stephanie and she's from Oklahoma," Alexa told Margaret.

"She was a very nice girl," Karen nodded.

"I'm sure the two of you will get along famously," Margaret said.

Alexa nodded as Gabriel set down a stack of napkins.

"HELLO!" a familiar voice called out from the front of the house. "Do I smell dinner?"

"Nico," Gabriel groaned.

"Who?" Karen asked confused.

"Mrs. B," Nico said breezing into the kitchen. "How's it going?"

"Nico," Gabriel hissed. "Manners?"

"Sorry," Nico said sheepishly. "How are you, Mrs. B?"

"Nico," Margaret shook her head but smiled. "You remember Alexa, right?"

Nico turned and saw the red-haired girl standing at the counter.

"Hello, Nico," Alexa said laughing.

"Hey!" he said in surprise. "What are you doing here?"

"We came over to tour UCLA," Alexa told him. "And I surprised Gabe."

"You got him to stop studying," Nico shook his head. "Amazing."

"Temporarily," Alexa said. "This is my mum, Karen O'Leary."

"Wow," Nico said. "I mean... hi."

"It's nice to meet you," Karen said extending her hand.

"You too," Nico could hardly take his eyes off Alexa's pretty mother.

Gabriel hit his friend hard on the shoulder. "Could you not be you for like five minutes?" Gabriel whispered.

"That's kind of hard," Nico whispered back with a grin. "She married?"

Gabriel rolled his eyes. "Yes and her husband's right outside with my grandfather. Besides, I thought you were in love with Gina."

"She's old news," Nico waved his hand. "But hey, I did bring your car back on time. A little early too, I might add."

Gabriel took the keys from him. "I'm amazed."

"And she's in perfect condition," Nico continued.

"It still doesn't make up for the last time you took my car," Gabriel said. "And how you promised you'd pick me up at the library. I missed the bus and had to walk home..."

"I washed it for you," Nico replied.

"You hung up an air freshener," Gabriel countered.

"No I mean this time," Nico said. "Waxed it too."

"Nico, will you be joining us for dinner?" Margaret asked.

"Hell yeah," Nico replied.

Gabriel turned red. "Nico..."

"Sorry," Nico said. "Um... that'd be nice Mrs. B. Thanks."

"What do you do, Nico?" Karen asked conversationally.

"I go to the community college nearby," Nico replied. "And I stock the shelves at Ralph's in the evenings."

"What are you studying?" Karen asked.

"Mechanics," Nico answered.

"That sounds lovely," Karen said. "I know absolutely nothing about cars."

"I love them," Nico said. "Any car."

"Don't get my husband started," Karen said. "He loves cars. It's his dream to one day own an Aston Martin."

"I'd love to even SEE one of those in person," Nico said covetously.

"Gabe, doesn't your father have one?" Alexa asked.

"He hasn't taken it out of the garage the entire time I've known him," Gabriel said dryly.

"You've been holding out on me, mate," Nico said. "Gabe..."

"I didn't know till just a few months ago," Gabriel held his hands up.

The back door opened and Patrick and Lewis came inside.

"Lew, what's up my man?" Nico asked

"Hello Nico," Lewis shook his head. "Why am I not surprised to see you here?"

Nico laughed. "I'm always here, Mr. B."

"More than Gabriel is," Lewis pointed out.

"Grandpa," Gabe said shaking his head.

Lewis smiled. "Patrick I'm sorry- this is Gabriel's best friend and our adopted son, Nico."

"A fellow car enthusiast," Nico said shaking Patrick's hand.

"Very much so," Patrick replied.

Gabriel came up behind Alexa. "He's something else, isn't he?"

"You can say that again," Alexa leaned against him as he put his arms around her waist.

"Have I told you how happy I am that you're here?" Gabriel whispered.

"Uh huh," she said. "But you can tell me again."

"I'm happy that you're here," Gabriel said nuzzling her neck.

"I wish we could stay together tonight," Alexa said. "But I'm sharing a suite with my parents."

"It's okay," Gabriel reassured her. "Spring Break's coming up soon. We'll have time then."

"I hope so," Alexa replied softly.

"I love you," Gabriel said turning her around so he could look properly at her.

"I love you too," she smiled up at him.

"Mental best friend and all?" Gabriel asked with a crooked grin.

"You know it," Alexa pecked him on the lips.

"I hope everyone's hungry," Margaret announced. "Because dinner is ready."

"I'm starved," Nico said eagerly.

"When are you not?" Gabriel asked.

"That In-N-Out burger I had didn't even faze me," Nico sat down.

"Just an appetizer?" Alexa teased him.

Nico nodded.

"What happened to the burger you were supposed to bring me?" Gabriel asked.

"I knew you'd be coming here," Nico said smoothly.

"Sure you did," Gabriel pulled Alexa's chair out for her.

"Thanks," Alexa smiled at him before she sat down.

Gabriel smiled back. He still couldn't believe she was here. He also couldn't believe that in a few short months, he'd be able to see her nearly every day.

"Gabe, where's that cousin of yours?" Nico asked. "Saffron? She still with that same guy?"

Alexa giggled. "Yes, Nico. She is. She's still recuperating. But, I'll make sure to tell her that you said hello."

"She was hot, man." Nico shook his head.

Gabriel kicked his friend under the table.

"Ow!" Nico yelped.

"Cool it, would you?" Gabriel asked.

Nico glared at him.

"Just for an hour," he hissed.

"Okay, okay," Nico said. "I'll behave."

"Thank you," Gabriel said in relief.

Alexa, Karen and Patrick all laughed.

"For now," Nico winked at Karen.

Gabriel put his head in his hands.

"It's okay Gabe," Alexa touched his arm.

"We find him perfectly charming," Karen said.

Nico nodded in agreement. "Me too."

"It kind of wears off after awhile," Lewis muttered.

"Lew!" Nico said, affronted.

"Lewis," Margaret chastised him. "We love Nico."

"Thanks Mrs. B.," Nico reached for the roast.

"How are your father and Lavender?" Patrick asked.

"Good," Gabriel nodded. "Been keeping busy."

"He hasn't spoken to them," Margaret chided.

"Not in a few weeks," Gabriel confessed. "I was going to give Dad a call tomorrow."

"Give them our best when you do talk to him," Karen said.

"I will," Gabriel promised.

"Speaking of home, I want to call Saffy when we get back to the hotel," Alexa said. "Just to see how she's doing and let her know about UCLA."

"Sure, sweetheart," Karen replied.

"Tell her I said hello," Nico said.

"I will," Alexa said. "Just hello though..."

Nico grinned. "Keep her options open you know."

Alexa laughed. "Don't ever change, Nico."

"Don't tell him that," Gabriel said.

"I like hearing it," Nico returned.

"Do you know who'd be perfect for you?" Alexa asked Nico. "My friend, Beth. But, unfortunately, she's already taken."

"Married?" he asked.

Alexa shook her head. "No! They're just dating. But it's serious."

"Damn," Nico shook his head.

"Elizabeth's a very sweet girl," Karen agreed. "A little shallow, but very sweet."

"Same with Meems," Alexa said fondly.

Nico dropped his fork. "Meems?"

"Also taken," Gabriel said dryly.

"Ugh," Nico grumbled.

"You'll find your girl, Nico," Margaret told him.

"I sure hope so," Nico said. "Gabe had to go across the ocean to find his."

"And I struck gold," Gabriel grinned.

"Good answer," Alexa said squeezing his hand under the table.

Patrick nodded. "I agree."

Gabriel managed to get through the rest of the meal without kicking his best friend or shooting him death glares.

"That was just delicious," Karen said. "Margaret, I must get your recipe."

"Thank you, Karen," Margaret replied. "I'll write it down for you right now."

"How about Gabriel and I make some coffee?" Alexa asked.

"That'd be nice," Patrick said.

"Nico, can you help us clear the table?" Alexa asked.

"Sure," Nico said standing up. "I'd be happy to."

Gabriel cast him a disbelieving look but didn't say anything.

"I can be useful," Nico said when the three of them were alone.

"Sure you can," Gabriel said.

Nico started to stack the plates. "Alexa, how do you put up with him? Do you see how he treats his oldest and dearest friend?"

"He's just so cute," Alexa said, laughing.

"Did you hear that?" Gabriel asked.

"Unfortunately," Nico turned the water on.

"You wash and I'll dry," Alexa said smiling at him.

"Sure," Nico agreed readily.

Gabriel leaned against the counter. "So I guess this is where the two of you bond?"

"You bet," Nico slung an arm around Alexa's shoulders.

"He can tell me all the silly stories about you that no one else knows," Alexa said.

"I have plenty of those," Nico replied.

"Oooh," Alexa said eagerly. "Do tell."

Gabriel shook his head as he reached into the cabinet for the jar of coffee.

"There was fourth grade in Mrs. Stewart's class," Nico began.

Gabriel groaned. "Not the fish story, Nico."

"The fish story?" Alexa asked. "Oooh. I'm intrigued."

"We had these goldfish, they were our class pet," Nico said. "Gabe here felt sorry for them, so he decided to liberate them one day."

"Aww!" Alexa gushed.

"He flushed them down the toilet," Nico continued.

Alexa covered her mouth. "Gabe!"

Gabriel shrugged sheepishly. "I thought they'd swim out and be in the ocean."

"That's the cutest thing ever," Alexa said looking adoringly at him.

Gabriel laughed. "Glad someone thinks so. Everyone was pretty ticked at me."

"He had to stay after class for two weeks," Nico laughed.

"You had detention?" Alexa asked.

"Oh yes," Gabriel said. "I had to write on the board about 100 times."

"But that's only the tip of the iceberg, Lexie," Nico said handing her a plate. "I have a name that will set fear in the heart of one Gabriel Boyd-Finnegan. And that name is Mary Catherine Wright."

"Nico!" Gabriel shook his head.

"Seventh grade," Nico said ignore Gabriel. "Our first school dance. He wants to ask Mary Catherine Wright. He had this massive crush on her the entire year."

"She turned you down?" Alexa asked.

Nico cackled. "Well, she might have done if he'd have asked her."

"Awww," Alexa said.

"He was trying to work up the courage to ask her and he finally gets his big chance during lunch," Nico told her. "So, he goes and stands in front of her lunch table and completely freezes."

Gabriel turned red and rolled his eyes.

"And she asks him what's wrong," Nico continued. "And he tells her that she has ketchup on her chin before he practically runs out of the cafeteria."

"Not my finest hour," Gabriel said dryly.

"His skills with the ladies have improved since then," Alexa said grinning at him.

"I hope so," Gabriel answered.

"He's okay," Nico said with a smirk.

"He's better than okay," Alexa said.

"So you really had amnesia like they have in the movies?" Nico asked. "I mean, Gabe said your car crash was pretty bad."

Alexa nodded. "I'm still remembering things."

"Things are over between you and that DJ guy?" Nico asked.

"Nico!" Gabriel protested.

"RJ," Alexa corrected. "And yes, things are over between him and I. We're just really good friends now."

"I could never be friends with an ex," Nico said.

"He's a good guy," Alexa reassured him. "He was there for me when I really needed him."

Gabriel nodded. "When I couldn't be."

"As long as he knows what's what," Nico said. "I've got to look out for my boy."

Alexa hugged Gabriel around the waist. "He knows he's the only bloke for me."

"I like this girl," Nico said beaming at her.

"I love this girl," Gabriel gave her a kiss.

Alexa forgot that Nico was there. She'd missed being in Gabriel's arms like this. "I love this boy," Alexa whispered.

Gabriel had also forgotten Nico was there. He leaned in and gave her a longer, sweet kiss.

"How about I see how the grown-ups are doing?" Nico asked chuckling to himself as he left the room.

"Finally a moment alone," Gabriel whispered.

"Alone at last," Alexa said softly.

Gabriel kissed her much more thoroughly.

Alexa's arms snaked around his waist. She forgot that at any moment her parents or Gabe's grandparents could come into the kitchen and catch them. Right now, she didn't care.

"I've missed being with you," Gabriel admitted.

"I know," Alexa said. "I mean, I don't remember what it was like before, but I know that I'd like to be with you like that...again."

"Soon," he stroked her cheek.

Alexa gave him one last kiss. "We'd better get that coffee before your grandparents wonder what happened to us."

"Right," Gabriel agreed.

"Actually," Alexa said. "I was wondering if I could use your mobile again? I wanted to call Saffy and check on her. I was going to wait until we were at the hotel, but..."

"Sure," Gabriel nodded.

Alexa took it from him. "Thank you. I'll join you in a few minutes. I promise."

"Sure," Gabriel smiled at her before taking the tray into the dining room.

Alexa quickly dialled Saffron's number and waited for her friend to answer.

"Hallo?" Saffron's voice came over the line. "Gabe?"

"No," Alexa said. "It's me...calling from his phone."

"Lexie," Saffron's voice warmed.

"How are you?" Alexa asked.

"I'm okay," Saffron said.

"I bought you some things from UCLA," Alexa told her. "It's such a big campus, Saffy. You wouldn't believe..."

"I'll miss you when you're gone."

"Saffy," Alexa said softly. "I'm going to miss you, too. But, it's not for a few months..."

"I know," Saffron said.

"We'll call each other every day," Alexa promised. "And you're going to come and visit..."

"I can't wait," Saffron said softly.

"Are you nervous about your appointment Friday?" Alexa asked. "I'm sure you have nothing to worry about."

"Terrified," Saffron admitted.

"I'll be home," Alexa said. "And I can go with you and your mum if you want."

"Would you?" Saffron asked. "I'd feel better if you were there."

"Of course," Alexa replied. "I wouldn't be anywhere else. You know that."

"Thanks Lexie," Saffron said gratefully.

"What are you up to there?" Alexa asked. "No, let me guess. You're reading a book and Puddles is on your lap..."

"You know me too well," Saffron replied.

"Like a sister," Alexa said fondly.

"You're just as close to me as Jules," Saffron said.

"You've always been there for me," Alexa said. "No matter what."

"Same for you," Saffron said. "I'm glad you're enjoying yourself over there."

"I am," Alexa said. "You should have seen the look on Gabe's face when I surprised him."

Saffron had to smile. "I can just see it."

"I'm at his house right now," Alexa told her. "We had dinner with his grandparents and Nico."

"That's lovely," Saffron replied. "Who's Nico again?"

"Gabe's crazy best friend," Alexa told her. "He's a little mental, but he's harmless. He wanted to know if you and Andrew were still together. Apparently, he thinks you're quite the catch."

"I've never even met him!" Saffron said.

"He's seen pictures from Gabe," Alexa giggled.

"Speaking of Andrew, he's coming over in a bit." Saffron said.

"He's hardly left your side since all this happened," Alexa commented.

"He's really been amazing," Saffron said. "But I just wonder... if I'm pregnant... what he'll think."

"It would be difficult for him, but he'd stand behind you, you know that," Alexa said thoughtfully. "He loves you."

"I'm lucky," Saffron replied.

"So is he," Alexa said.

"Thanks Lexie," Saffron said.

"I'd better go," Alexa said. "I'll be home tomorrow evening. I'll ring you when we get in."

"Sounds good," Saffron said. "Have a nice time tonight and tell Gabe I said hello."

"Thanks, Saffy," Alexa said. "And don't worry. Everything's going to be fine."

"I hope so," Saffron said. "Bye Lexie."

Saffron hung up the phone and picked up her book again. She'd been staring at the same page for the last half hour.

"Sweetheart?" Hermione knocked on the door. "Andrew's here..."

"He's early," Saffron said softly.

"I'll tell him you're not ready yet," Hermione turned to go.

"No," Saffron said setting her book aside. "I'm ready."

"You sure, baby?" Hermione brushed her hair back.

Saffron nodded. "Yeah, I'm sure. I'll be right down, Mum."

"All right," Hermione smiled at her.

Saffron looked down at her dog. "You ready to go see Andrew?"

Puddles barked.

Saffron laughed. "Come on, then."

Andrew grinned when he saw his girlfriend. "Hey you."

"Hey," Saffron said smiling at him. "I thought you were going to come over after your practise. It's just past one now..."

"We got out early," Andrew replied, reaching for her.

Saffron went willingly into his arms. She felt so warm and safe there. "I'm glad you're here."

Andrew kissed the top of her head. "Wouldn't be anywhere else if you needed me."

"Are you hungry?" Saffron asked looking up at him. "Greta sent over some of her vegetable soup."

"Sure," Andrew replied. "I was going to see if you wanted to go grab a bite."

"It might be good for you to get out of the house," Hermione commented. "It's a lovely day."

"We can eat out back," Saffron replied.

Andrew nodded. "Whatever you want."

"Why don't I heat it up for you," Hermione suggested. "You two go out and enjoy the weather."

"You sure you don't mind, Mum?" Saffron asked. "I can do it..."

"I don't mind at all, Saffy," Hermione replied. "I'm capable of heating up soup."

Despite herself, Saffron laughed. "I wasn't implying that you couldn't. I just don't want you to feel as if you have to wait on me."

Andrew grinned. "I think we'll just head on out back."

"Come on, Puddles," Saffron called to her dog.

Puddles barked and jumped up at Andrew.

Saffron laughed. "He was as happy to see you as I was."

Andrew laughed. "Of course he is."

Andrew opened the door to the back patio and Saffron stepped outside. "Is that the sun, I see?"

"Believe it or not," he joked.

"Mum wasn't lying," Saffron said closing her eyes as she felt the wind on her skin. "It's really nice out here."

Andrew slid his arm around her. "Sure is..."

Saffron leaned against him. "It must have been great to practise in weather like this."

"How come you didn't have practise today?" Andrew asked.

"I did," Saffron said looking down at the ground. "I just---I didn't feel like going."

"You didn't?" Andrew asked. "But--"

"I just couldn't do it," Saffron interjected. "I'm not ready."

"That's okay," Andrew said. "I'm sure they understand."

"I hope so," Saffron said quietly. "It's just---they were all there at that party, Andrew. They know what happened."

"They aren't judging you, Saffy," Andrew told her.

Saffron folded her arms. "It just seems like that's what they see when they look at me, Andrew."

"That's not true, Saf," Andrew objected.

"How can you look at me after this?" Saffron asked him. "Or touch me?"

"Saffron," Andrew replied. "I love you. What happened wasn't your fault."

Saffron started to cry. "I went to that party, Andrew. I shouldn't have and he---"

"Saffron come here," Andrew pulled her to him. "You were drugged. He messed with your head. What happened was NOT your fault and I won't let you blame yourself!"

"I was just getting over what Devereaux did to me!" Saffron told him. "And then this happens and I just as if it's all falling apart again."

"Look at me," Andrew cupped her face in his hands. "You are not going to let this tear you apart."

She wondered if he'd feel the same way if she turned up pregnant with O'Neal's baby.

"Nothing could ever make me stop loving you," Andrew told her intently.

"Oh, Andrew," Saffron said softly.

"I mean it," Andrew said.

"I love you so much," Saffron said hugging him tightly.

"I love you too, Saf," Andrew kissed the side of her head.

The back door opened and Hermione came out carrying a tray of soup and drinks. "I also made you some sandwiches."

Saffron pulled away and wiped at her eyes. "Thanks Mum."

"You okay?" Hermione asked setting the tray down on the table.

Saffron nodded. "I'm okay."

Hermione wasn't so sure, but she wasn't going to press her daughter on it now. "I'll be upstairs in my office if you need me."

"Thanks," Andrew said as Saffron wiped her eyes again.

Saffron sat down at the table. "Come on, Andrew."

"Hungry?" he asked her.

Saffron nodded. "Comfort food, right?"

"You don't need comfort food," Andrew said firmly.

Saffron looked across the table at him. "I was trying to be funny."

"Sorry," he said sheepishly.

"It's okay," Saffron said reaching across the table and squeezing his hand.

Andrew smiled at her. "That's my girl."

"Let's talk about something else," Saffron said.

"Sure," Andrew nodded. "Like your next match?"

"No," Saffron said. "Like...how's RJ?"

"He's fine," Andrew said. "Completely obsessed with spending time with Audrey."

Saffron smiled. "That's good." She knew he was still beating himself up over not being at the party, but she didn't want him to do that. It wasn't his fault.

"He asked if you were up for a double date anytime soon," Andrew added.

"Maybe," Saffron said noncommittally. "Maybe I could make dinner for all of us at your place."

"That would be nice too," Andrew nodded.

"Lexie called just before you arrived," Saffron told him.

"Oh yeah?" he asked.

"She liked the campus," Saffron told him. "And she's having dinner with Gabe and his grandparents right now."

"Good for her," Andrew nodded.

"She'll be back tomorrow," Saffron said before taking a bite of her sandwich.

"I can't wait to hear more about her trip," Andrew said. "I was always curious about university over there."

"You never told me that," Saffron said thoughtfully.

"Just a random curiosity," Andrew shrugged.

"What would you have studied?" Saffron asked him.

"I don't know," Andrew replied. "Maybe sports medicine or something?"

"Doctor Andrew Kirke," Saffron said with a grin.

"Has a nice ring, aye?" Andrew asked.

"It does," Saffron said. "You could be bandaging up the knee of some pro athlete..."

"But I'd like being that pro athlete much more," Andrew said.

"You'd be great at anything you decided to do," Saffron said smiling at him.

"Thanks," Andrew replied.

"I think I'd want to do something with kids, if I wasn't playing Quidditch," Saffron said. "Maybe a teacher...like Jules..."

"You'd be good at that," Andrew nodded.

Saffron smiled. "I always have fun with the little ones at family gatherings and when I baby-sit."

"And all those kids love you," Andrew pointed out.

"They don't know what happened to me, but this morning, they sent over cards telling me they wanted me to get better," Saffron said. "Emma even sent me some biscuits."

"That's so sweet," Andrew laughed.

"Everyone's been so great," Saffron said softly.

"Because we all love you," Andrew told her.

Saffron smiled. "I know that."

"Especially me," Andrew leaned towards her.

Saffron leaned in and kissed him.

"You're my girl," Andrew said softly when they pulled apart.

"No matter what?" Saffron asked in a small voice.

"No matter what," Andrew repeated.

Saffron didn't know what she'd done to deserve such devotion. She couldn't help thinking that she was damaged goods now given what had happened with O'Neal. But, Andrew still looked at her the same way he always had.

"Eat," he told her.

"Aye, aye, captain," Saffron said. She took a bite of the soup. "This is really good.

"Greta's one of the best cooks I know," Andrew admitted.

"She is," Saffron said fondly. "Your mum's not so bad, either."

"Nah," Andrew said with an easy smile. "Second best cook..."

Saffron laughed. "I'm sure she'd be glad to hear that."

"She misses you," Andrew told her. "Wants you to come over soon."

"Did you tell her?" Saffron asked.

"About what happened?" Andrew asked. "No."

Saffron nodded. "I just---I don't want her or your dad to know."

"I won't tell anyone unless you want me to," Andrew promised.

"I just keep waiting to wake up to find my picture on the front page of the papers and have the whole world know," Saffron said.

"Saffy--" he began.

"Someone's bound to find out soon," Saffron said. "I mean, Frankie's kept it secret because the team doesn't want it getting out. Aunt Luna's managed to keep the arrest under wraps. I just---I know it's going to come out eventually and I'll be poor, little Saffron Potter again."

"No you won't," Andrew said firmly. "You're going to stand tall in all this."

Saffron looked at him. "How can you know that?"

"Because I know you," Andrew said. "You're strong, Saffy."

"I'm trying," Saffron said. "I really am."

"And that's why we're all here for you," Andrew told her.

Saffron squeezed his hand. "I love you."

"Love you too," Andrew said reassuringly. "Always."

Saffron hoped that would still be the case after her appointment. She tried to tell herself that she was worrying for nothing. There was no possible way she could be pregnant.

"What did you want to do after lunch?" Andrew asked her.

Saffron shrugged. "I don't know."

"A movie?" Andrew suggested. "A theatre in Chelsea is showing a double feature. Hitchcock. Your favourite."

"Rear Window and The Birds?" Saffron brightened.

"The very same," Andrew said with a grin. "And I promise that I will not squeal like a girl during The Birds."

Saffron had to laugh. "I'll believe that when I see it."

"You know I only did that for comic effect," Andrew said.

"Sure you did," Saffron replied.

"I did," Andrew said leaning back in his chair. "It didn't scare me in the slightest..."

"Right," Saffron said. "Which is why you freaked when we saw those pigeons in Piccadilly..."

"Okay, you have to admit that was a little freaky the way they swarmed toward us," Andrew said defensively.

"Not really," Saffron replied.

"There were hundreds of them," Andrew pointed out.

Saffron laughed. "More like ten, Andrew."

Andrew loved hearing her laugh. He hadn't heard it enough these past few days.

"Hundreds," Andrew corrected her. "And they all looked like they wanted to take my head off."

"Whatever," Saffron said.

"So, are you up for it?" Andrew asked.

"I am," Saffron said. "You?"

"It's a big step for me, but I'm willing to do it since it is one of your favourite movies," Andrew said.

"Thanks," Saffron said.

Andrew grinned. "We'll have a good time."

"I always do, with you," Saffron reached for his hand.

Andrew gave her hand a squeeze. "I missed that smile of yours."

"It's there, sometimes," Saffron replied.

Andrew smiled at her. "Let's clean this up, eh?"

Saffron nodded, gathering their empty bowls.

"I think someone's begging for table scraps," Andrew said looking down at Puddles who was whimpering at their feet.

"What else is new?" Saffron asked dryly.

"Come here, Pud," Andrew said. "Let's go get you a dog treat."

Puddles eagerly scampered after Andrew as Saffron gathered the rest of their dishes.

She carried them into the kitchen and set them in the sink. "We could probably walk to the theatre."

"Sure," Andrew nodded.

"I'm just going to go upstairs and let Mum know," Saffron said.

"I'll wait here with Puddles," Andrew replied.

"I'm just going to go upstairs and let Mum know," Saffron said.

"I'll wait here with Puddles," Andrew replied.

Saffron gave him a peck on the cheek before heading upstairs to her mother's office.

"Mum?" Saffron knocked on the door. "Andrew and I are going to the movies."

Hermione looked up from her paperwork. "Oh?"

"They're having a Hitchcock festival nearby," Saffron replied.

Hermione laughed. "You never could resist those."

Saffron shook her head. "Especially Rear Window and The Birds."

"It's too bad your father's on assignment," Hermione said. "I know he'd love to see that."

"I'll check and see when the next one is," Saffron promised.

"It'll be good for you to get out," Hermione said smiling at her.

Saffron nodded. "I don't think we'll be late."

"Have a good time," Hermione said.

"Thanks," Saffron came forward and hugged her mother.

"Oh, sweetheart," Hermione said hugging her tightly. "Everything's going to be okay."

"I hope so," Saffron replied.

"I know so," Hermione said. "You and Andrew are going to have a nice afternoon."

"See you later," Saffron said.

"Bye, sweetheart," Hermione called after her.

"All set?" Andrew asked when she came back down.

"Yeah," Saffron replied. "The question is, are you?"

"Very funny," he said.

"I promise I'll never tell anyone," Saffron teased.

"I owe you," Andrew said in mock gratitude.

"Yes you do and I'm thinking of a good way for you to repay me," Saffron said tugging on his arm.

"Like?" he asked.

"I have a few ideas," Saffron said coyly.

"Tell me more," he said, taking her hand.

"Well, there's endless kisses," Saffron said thoughtfully. "Whenever and however I want them..."

"You've got that," Andrew said.

"I do, don't I?" Saffron asked with a grin. "Well, scratch that..."

"Uh oh," he said dramatically.

Saffron thought for a few moments. "Well, there's...no, I couldn't ask you to do that...."

"Do what?" he asked.

Saffron shook her head. "That might be cruel and unusual punishment..."

"Tell me!" Andrew looked at her.

Saffron laughed. "I was thinking of making you wear a Puddlemere Princess shirt..."

Andrew raised an eyebrow.

"See?" Saffron grinned. "Cruel and unusual punishment and I'd never do that to you."

"Thank you," he said gratefully.

"So, maybe a nice warm bath," Saffron said. "Just you and me..."

"I could do that," he said, pulling her close.

Saffron smiled up at him. "So, I guess we agree then."

"Quite so," he nuzzled her ear.

She smiled as she heard his words from earlier echo in her ear. He would love her no matter what.

249. Chapter 249 The Ultrasound

Authors’ note: This chapter is all Hans/Darla…with a new character introduced. We hope you enjoy the chapter!

Darla kept her hopes up that Hans might come back in time for the ultrasound, but tried not to be too disappointed that he was a no show. Instead, she found herself accompanied by her twin.

"This is so exciting," Drew said trying to get her sister to smile. "You're going to see your son for the very first time. I remember the first time I saw Chloe!"

Darla nodded, trying to muster up some enthusiasm.

"They'll give you a print out too," Drew said. "You can bring it home to show Mum and Dad. Dad's so excited that he's going to have another grandson."

"I really thought he might come home," Darla said suddenly. "To see his son, you know?"

Drew reached for her sister's hand. She forgot about her own anger toward her brother-in-law. Darla didn't need to go into her ultrasound stressed out as she was.

"Maybe he still will," Drew said diplomatically. "Your appointment's not for another few moments."

"He's not coming," Darla said with a harsh laugh.

"How about we look at that book of names that we picked up?" Drew said reaching into her bag.

Darla shrugged. "Okay."

"We have to pick carefully," Drew said. "We're going to give him a name he's going to have to carry for the rest of his life. I love Nana, but what on earth was she thinking giving Aunt Ginny the name Ginevra? No wonder the tart goes by the name Ginny."

"Gross," Darla made a face.

Drew scrunched up her nose in disgust when she turned to the "H" section of the book. "Hugo? Uh...no."

"I'd like to give him something unique, but not strange," Darla looked at the book.

Drew smiled. "Unique, but not strange. I'm sure we can find something in this book..."

"Mrs. Feinbach?"

Darla looked up. "Yes?"

"Elizabeth Weasley was called out of the office unexpectedly," the nurse told her. "You can reschedule if you want or you can see the other healer on duty."

"I'll just see the other healer," Darla replied.

The nurse smiled at her. "Okay then. If you'll follow me..."

Darla stood up and she and Drew followed the nurse into the office.

"Will you husband be joining you?" the nurse asked.

Darla shook her head silently.

"There's a gown just behind that curtain there," the nurse told her. "I'll just let know the healer know you're here. He'll be here in a few minutes to see you."

"He?" Drew asked but the nurse was already gone. "Dar-- perhaps you should wait for Lizzy to come back..."

Darla looked at her. "Why? What's the big deal? I've had a male doctor before, Drew."

"If you feel comfortable..." Drew shrugged.

"It doesn't matter to me," Darla said. "I just want to see my son and make sure that he's healthy."

She changed into the gown and sat up on the table making small talk with her sister while they waited for the healer.

There was a gentle knock on the door. "Mrs. Feinbach?"

"Yes?" Darla answered.

The door opened and a tall, handsome man with brown hair came striding into the room. "Mrs, Feinbach, I'm Liam Thornhart."

"Hi," Darla said. "Nice to meet you."

He smiled warmly at her. "I'm sorry about the last minute change. Lizzy asked me to send her apologies."

"It's no problem," Darla sat on the table.

"I'm Drew McGregor," Drew said. "I'm her sister."

Liam laughed. "I kind of figured since you look so much alike..."

"She's going to stay while we do the ultrasound," Darla told Liam.

Liam nodded. "I just need a moment to review your chart and then we'll get started."

"What part of Ireland are you from?" Drew asked picking up on his Irish brogue.

"Belfast," Liam replied. "Just moved here about six months ago."

"We spent most of our childhood in Dublin," Darla told him.

"Did you now?" Liam asked. "I always did like Dublin."

"I didn't appreciate it too much when we lived there," Darla said softly. "We missed our family so much. But, our dad's work was there and there was nothing we could do."

"When did you move back here?" he asked, pressing gently on her stomach.

"A few years ago," Darla replied. "My sister and I run a wedding planning business."

"Lovely," he nodded. "Okay- I'm going to put some of this on your stomach. It's cold, so just be forewarned."

Darla nodded. "Lizzy didn't mention that she'd taken on a new partner..."

"It's quite recent," he said, rubbing the gel onto her skin.

Darla gasped. "You weren't lying about it being cold..."

Drew laughed. "And you thought I was being overdramatic."

"Drew's an old pro," Darla told Liam. "She's already got a daughter----Chloe."

"I think Lizzy mentioned that," Liam said. "She's what, two?"

Drew nodded. "Yes and a complete handful."

"They usually are at that age," Liam chuckled as he waved his wand then touched it to Darla's stomach.

Drew held her sister's hand.

"There he is," Liam said as an image appeared on a screen to their right. "Your little guy..."

Darla turned her head and felt her breath catch in her throat. "Oh..."

"That's a strong, healthy heartbeat," Liam said.

"Look at him!" Drew whispered excitedly.

Darla's eyes filled with tears as she looked at her son for the first time.

"Oh, Darla," Drew said tearing up as well. "He's perfect."

"He is," Darla said, her voice shaking.

Liam smiled. "I take it you'd like some pictures?"

"That would be brilliant," Drew said when Darla was unable to respond. "Thank you."

"From what I can tell he's quite healthy," Liam said waving his wand over Darla's stomach. "Very strong heartbeat and he appears to be growing as he should."

"Thank you," Darla whispered.

Darla looked at the image of her baby on the screen and her heart broke at the thought that Hans wasn't here to see it. She wiped at her eyes.

"It's okay, Darla," Liam said. "It's normal to get emotional at a time like this."

"It's not so much that..." Darla said as Drew got her a tissue. "My husband should be here..."

"Where is he?" Liam asked. "If he's working..."

"He's in New York," Darla said quietly.

Drew looked at him in surprise. She couldn't believe he didn't know. Darla and Hans' story had made the papers over here as well.

"I see," Liam nodded. "Perhaps he just couldn't make it back and next time--"

"I wouldn't hold out too much hope for that," Darla said quietly.

"We'll send him copies of these," Drew said quickly. "And I bet he'll come right back."

Liam handed Darla the pictures. "I made some extras since you have a large family. Lizzy told me."

"Thanks," Darla said softly.

"What about you?" Drew asked. "Do you have a large family?"

Liam shook his head. "I just have an older brother."

"What about your parents?" Drew questioned.

"My dad is a Muggle doctor," Liam replied. "And my mum works at the Ministry."

"A Muggle doctor?" Darla asked. "Really?"

Liam nodded. "Wanted me to follow him into medicine, which I did, but just not the way he wanted."

Darla nodded as she sat up.

"Do you have any children of your own?" Drew asked.

"I'm afraid not," Liam replied. "I haven't even got a girlfriend at the moment. My last one didn't like how many hours I logged at work."

The nurse came into the room. "I'm sorry to interrupt. I just need you to sign off on something, Liam."

Liam nodded and promised he'd be back in a moment.

"Why were you asking him so many questions?" Darla hissed at her sister.

"Just curious," Drew replied.

"It's really none of our business," Darla said quietly as she sat up on the table.

"He's partners with our sister in law," Drew pointed out.

"He seems very nice," Darla commented.

"And efficient," Drew nodded.

Darla looked down at the photograph of her baby. "Hans missed this, Drew."

"I know," Drew said. "That's how I felt the first time I saw Hope and Paul wasn't there."

Darla remembered that. She'd been there to support her sister during that time just like Drew was here now.

"It'll work out, one way or the other," Drew reassured her.

"Thank you for being here," Darla said smiling at her.

"Wouldn't have missed it for anything," Drew grinned.

Liam came back into the room. "I took the liberty of scheduling a follow up appointment for you, Mrs. Feinbach." He handed her an appointment card.

"Oh, thank you." Darla said in surprise.

"Lizzy should be able to see you then," Liam said. He picked up her chart and started scribbling some notes.

"I might stick with you," Darla said. "I have this weird thing about only going to one healer at a time..."

Drew looked at her sister in surprise.

"If you don't mind..." Darla added.

"I don't mind at all," Liam replied. "I'll make sure the receptionist makes the change, Mrs. Feinbach."

"Thank you," Darla nodded.

"I guess I'll see you in a couple of weeks then," Liam said extending his hand. "It was a pleasure to meet you both."

"You too," Drew shook his hand.

"If you need anything in the meantime, just let me know," Liam said. "My contact information is on that card."

"I appreciate it," Darla nodded. "And thank you for the pictures."

Liam smiled at her. "You take care of yourself."

With that, he left the two women in the office.

"You want him to be your healer?" Drew asked.

Darla shrugged. "Why not?"

"I just thought you wanted to stick with Lizzy is all," Drew replied. "I mean, we hardly know this bloke."

"What's the big deal?" Darla responded, somewhat irritably.

"There's no need to bite my head off," Drew said holding up her hands.

"Sorry," Darla went to change. "I'm just so stressed out."

"It's understandable," Drew said. "You're hormonal and your husband's being a stubborn arse."

Darla let out a choked laugh.

"Dr. McDreamy there is kind of cute though," Drew said with a grin. "And you always have had a soft spot for Irish boys..."

"Dr. McDreamy?" Darla asked. "Drew--"

"I'm only teasing," Drew said.

Darla dropped the dressing gown into a bag in the corner of the room. "Let's go."

"I promised you lunch," Drew said.

"And I am starving," Darla nodded.

"Especially these days," Darla agreed.

"Mrs. McGregor!" the receptionist called out.

Drew turned. "Yes?"

"There was an urgent message for you from someone named Muffy," the receptionist said. "There were actually six of them to be exact. She said you were supposed to meet her at the dress shop for one of her fittings?"

Drew rolled her eyes. "I can't believe this..."

"I can go," Darla offered.

"I've got it," Drew shook her head as they left the office. "You know, last week she told me she didn't need me there."

"You know how she is about those last minute changes," Darla said. "If you're sure you don't mind going..."

"I don't," Drew reassured her. "You should go over to Mum and Dad's with those pictures."

"I will," Darla said. "But I am really hungry. I think I'll stop in at that diner just down the street and get a sandwich before I go. Thanks again for coming with me, Drew.'

"Anytime," Drew hugged her twin.

Darla decided not to dwell on Hans. He was the one who had missed this and she wouldn't be able to forgive him for that. She walked into the diner and was grateful that it wasn't too crowded. She sat down at a corner booth and picked up a menu.

After placing her order and sitting back to wait, she pulled the ultrasound pictures out of her bag and gazed at them. She couldn't take her eyes off her son.

"Healer Thornhart," the waitress said. "How nice to see you!" Darla looked up from the pictures and was surprised to see her healer.

"You too," Liam replied with an easy smile. His gaze fell on Darla. "Well hello there!"

"Hi," Darla said smiling back at him. "I guess you had the same idea I did, eh?"

"You can't beat the food here," Liam said. "Mind if I join you?"

"Sure," Darla replied. "I'd love the company."

Liam set his things into the other side of the booth and slid in across from her.

"I keep looking at these pictures," Darla said.

"Most new parents can't stop," Liam replied. "It's understandable."

Darla put the pictures back in her bag. "I can't wait to show them to my parents."

"How many grandchildren do they have already?" Liam asked.

Darla laughed. "Okay, now you're putting me on the spot. There's Caroline, Emma and Adam. Then, Casey, Noah and Aidan. Chloe and Kiera. And this little guy is going to be number nine."

"Wow," Liam said with a grin. "Think of any names yet?"

Darla shook her head. "Drew bought me a baby name book."

"Thinking of a name is the fun part, or so I'm told," Liam replied.

"Lucky for me, I have a few months to decide," Darla said. "So how do you like working with Lizzy?"

"She's great," Liam answered. "I'm learning a lot from her."

"She is," Darla agreed. "She's one of the smartest people I know."

"You all seem pretty close," he commented. "Lizzy talks about that all the time."

Darla smiled. "The Weasleys are a tight group. We always say that if you mess with one of us, you mess with the whole lot."

Liam laughed. "I'll remember that."

"What about your family? You said you had brothers..."

"An older brother," Liam nodded. "He works at Gringotts."

"Are you close?" Darla asked.

"Yeah," Liam shrugged. "We get together every few weeks."

"How are you liking London?" Darla asked.

"It's fantastic," Liam said.

Darla smiled. "So you don't miss home?"

"I'll always miss Ireland," he said with a grin. "But I can pop back when I want to."

"One of the many benefits of being magical," Darla grinned back at him. He was so easy to talk to.

"Tell me about it," he agreed. "You can be anywhere in the world in a flash."

Darla's smile faded. If that was true, Hans would be here. But then again, it would only be if he WANTED to be there.

"Are you all right?" he asked her.

"Yeah," Darla nodded. "I just get a little emotional. Hormones, right?

"Welcome to that world," he joked.

Darla laughed. "It's going to get worse according to my sisters."

"Well if you ever have questions or need advice from an outsider, my door is always open," Liam told her.

Darla smiled. "You might live to regret those words..."

"Never," he teased.

The waitress brought over their food and Darla rubbed her hands together. "That looks soooo good!"

Liam laughed. "There's another part of pregnancy you can enjoy- guiltless eating."

Darla grinned. "Oh yes!"

He laughed again as she dove into her food. "Another thing Lizzy mentioned is how much your dad likes to eat."

Darla laughed, too. "Oh, he lives to eat.”

Liam dug into his own sandwich. "I've become quite the regular here since moving to the city. It's just so close by and the food is excellent."

"After this, I'm going to start coming here more often," Darla said. "These are the best chips I've ever had in my life."

"I can definitely agree," Liam nodded.

The waitress came over with another glass of juice for Darla. "Sweetheart if you don't mind me saying, I think it's awful about what's happened to you in the press. Those vultures..."

"Press?" Liam asked.

Darla waited until there alone before she explained. "You don't read the papers much, do you?"

"Usually just a few pages of it," Liam confessed.

"Well, I was front page news these last few days," Darla said frowning. "And not in a good way, either."

"Do you want to talk about it?" he asked.

Darla ran her finger along the rim of her glass. "My husband is a model. He did a lot of things locally and at the end of last year, things really started to take off for him."

"Well that's good news, right?" Liam asked.

Darla nodded. "Yeah, you'd think. Well, he...he landed a big contract with Calvin Klein in New York."

"Wow," Liam was impressed.

"I was really proud of him because I knew how hard he worked," Darla said softly. "But then...his agents came up with this stupid idea. They said he had to keep it secret that he was married."

"You're kidding me," Liam sat back. "He had to hide you?"

Darla nodded. "I was against it, but he said it would only be for short time." She told him all about New Year's Eve and how he'd left her in his dressing room.

Liam shook his head. "He should have stood by you. I know I've never met him, but that’s' what I would have done."

Darla smiled. "Thank you."

Liam smiled back at her. "And what does he think of your pregnancy?"

"He was...is happy," Darla replied. "Until the press got wind of our marriage. He thinks that I told them."

"That doesn't seem in character for you," Liam said.

"I didn't tell them," Darla said. "This reporter called the house and she said she had a copy of our marriage license. But, he thought it was my fault. We haven't really been speaking since then. I thought he'd show up today, but you saw that didn't happen."

"That's a damn shame," Liam shook his head.

Darla shrugged. "Yes, well. I have my family and a great new Healer. I'm sure that I'm going to be okay."

Liam smiled at that. "You seem like a strong person."

"I'm trying," Darla said. "Merlin, I can't believe I told you all of that."

"Sometimes you just need an outsider's opinion," Liam pointed out.

"An outsider who is very easy to talk to," Darla said smiling at him.

"I'm glad you feel you can trust me," Liam told her.

"I do," Darla said softly.

"That's the patient/healer relationship I always like to try and have," Liam said.

Darla laughed. "That's a good thing since we'll be seeing a lot of each other."

"Oh yes," Liam checked his watch. "But if you'll excuse me for now... I really have to get back to the office."

Darla nodded. "Sure. It was really nice to meet you, Healer Thornhart."

"It's Liam," he said with a grin.

"Liam," Darla said blushing a little.

"I'll see you soon," he smiled at her.

Darla protested when he put some money down on the table. "You don't have to pay for my lunch, Liam..."

"I want to," he insisted.

"That's very kind of you," Darla relented. "Thank you."

"It was nice talking with you, Darla." Liam said, sliding out of the booth.

Darla watched him go. Why couldn't Hans be more like Liam?

When Liam arrived back at the office, Lizzy was just checking her messages with the receptionist.

"How'd it go?" Liam asked her.

"Everything was fine," Lizzy said.

"So was your sister-in-law," Liam told her. "Ultrasound went quite well."

"Oh good," Lizzy said, relieved. "I'm glad you could take her. My patient load seems to be getting bigger by the day."

"Well, she asked if I could be her healer through the delivery," Liam said. "I hope that's okay..."

"I understand," Lizzy reassured him. "She likes to stick with the same healer throughout any situation."

"That's the same thing she told me," Liam said, relieved.

"Everything went okay then?" Lizzy asked, taking a stack of files and heading for her office.

He followed her and told her about the ultrasound. "I actually ran into her at the diner during lunch. We had a nice talk."

"Darla's really a great person," Lizzy answered.

"She is," Liam agreed. He smiled as he remembered how excited she'd been when the waitress had brought her food.

"Was Drew here with her?" Lizzy asked.

Liam nodded. "Yes, but her husband wasn't."

"Hans didn't come?" Lizzy frowned.

Liam shook his head. "No. I can't imagine what would be so important to keep him from this."

"Me either," Lizzy said disapprovingly.

"You like this bloke?" Liam asked her curiously.

"I'm not sure how I feel about him lately," Lizzy confided. "He's always been good to Darla, and they love each other, but I'm wondering what's more important to him."

"A woman like that deserves better than what she's getting," Liam said thoughtfully.

Lizzy nodded absently, not noticing his tone.

"I'll leave you to it," Liam said. "I have a patient coming in at one."

"I'll talk to you later," Lizzy looked up and smiled at him.

Liam walked out of the office, wondering why his pretty, red-haired patient was still on his mind. He'd just met her.

With a sigh, he pushed Darla out of his mind and headed in to get ready for his patient. He'd figure everything out later.

Darla arrived at her parents' house feeling much better. "Mum! Dad! Are you home?"

"We're in here, sweetheart," Luna replied.

Darla walked into the kitchen and couldn't help grinning. "Mum, he's absolutely perfect!"

"Who?" Luna asked curiously.

"Your grandson," Darla said reaching into her bag and pulling out the ultrasound pictures.

Luna gasped. "Oh Darla!"

Darla grinned. "Look at him. That's his foot...have you ever seen a cuter foot in your entire life?"

"No, I don't think so," Luna put an arm around her daughter.

Ron grinned when he saw the picture. "He looks like a Weasley."

"Yes he does," Darla said proudly.

"So Lizzy said he's healthy?" Luna asked.

"I didn't see Lizzy, actually." Darla explained to her parents what had happened. "So I'm going to stick with her partner for the pregnancy."

"She hadn't mentioned that she'd taken on a partner," Luna said thoughtfully.

"It's pretty recent," Darla said.

"I'm sure if he's working with Lizzy, he's a great bloke," Ron commented.

"He seems that way," Darla nodded.

"Did Hans join you?" Ron asked.

Darla shook her head.

Ron balled up his fists. "That---that----"

"Dad, please," Darla said. "I don't want to start it up now."

"Darla's right, Ronald," Luna said. "We should celebrate the fact that our little grandson here is healthy and growing like he should."

Darla nodded gratefully. "Right."

"I'm just looking out for my baby girl," Ron said giving his daughter a hug.

"I know," Darla hugged him back.

"I love you, Darla," Ron said softly. "I want the best for you."

"I want the best too," Darla said. "For my little boy."

"He's going to have it," Luna said. "Because he has such a great Mum."

"Thanks," Darla teared up.

"Don't cry," Luna said softly. "Sweetheart..."

"I'm just all emotional these days," Darla wiped her eyes.

"Very understandable," Ron said. "I remember your mum when she was pregnant with your brothers...she'd cry at the drop of a hat. I remember one day I came home from work and I remembered to bring home something she asked for. She cried as if I'd just saved her life..."

Luna glared at him. "When you weren't eating half the food in the house that is..."

"You knew what you were getting into when you married me," Ron said with a grin.

"Aye, that I did," Luna replied.

"I wonder if I should call Hans," Darla said thoughtfully. "To let him know about the ultrasound, but then again, he obviously doesn't care too much."

"I think it's at least worth a try," Luna said gently.

Darla nodded. "Right."

"We'll let you be to make your call," Luna took Ron by the arm.

Darla sighed as she picked up the telephone and dialed Hans' number.

The phone rang and Darla wasn't planning on leaving a message, but to her surprise, her husband picked up.

"Hallo?" Hans asked, sounding happier than Darla could remember hearing him in quite some time.

"Hey," Darla said. "It's... it's me."

"Darla?" Hans asked.

"Yes," Darla said. "I um... I had an ultrasound today. I had hoped you would be here."

"I can't really talk right now," Hans said. "People magazine is here. They're doing an interview. I'm going to be their cover story."

"Hans--" Darla said in disbelief. "This is our baby I'm talking about!"

"The baby?" Hans whispered. "Oh, that was today?"

"Hans, how could you forget?" Darla asked.

"I'm a little preoccupied, Darla," Hans said. "I'm trying to save my career, in case you forgot. You could have rescheduled--"

"No, I couldn't reschedule," Darla said angrily. "This is OUR BABY, not a career, not some stupid article in a magazine."

Hans sighed. "Look, I'll come by later and we can discuss this. Besides, the reporter wants to interview you, too."

"I don't want to be interviewed," Darla said hotly.

"Not now obviously," Hans said. "But later. I think I've managed to turn this around."

"Is this really all you care about?" Darla asked. "Has fame changed you this much in such a short time?"

"Darla," Hans said. "You know I care about you and the baby. I just---I need to concentrate on this right now. I'll come by later and we can talk, okay?"

"Don't put yourself out," Darla said bitterly.

"Look, they're waiting for me," Hans said. "I'll meet you at our house at seven your time."

"Fine," Darla said.

"Fine," Hans said before ending the call.

Darla clicked off the phone and put her head in her hands.

"Darla?"

She raised her head. "Yeah?"

"What did he say?" Drew asked. She'd arrived a few minutes ago and her parents had told her that Darla was on the phone with Hans.

"He forgot," Darla said flatly. "And he's doing an interview for People magazine and just CAN'T get away.... or maybe I should say won't."

Drew shook her head. "Did he even ask about the baby?"

Darla shook her head wordlessly.

"I'm not going to say what I'm really thinking now because I don't want to upset you," Drew said patting her sister on the shoulder.

"Too late," Darla said softly.

"I'm so sorry," Drew said giving her sister a hug.

"What am I going to do?" Darla asked.

"You are going to be fine," Drew said. "We're going to help you. You don't need Hans." She wished she could apparate to New York City that very moment and hex her brother-in-law for what he was doing to her sister.

"I hope so," Darla whispered.

"I know so," Drew said reassuringly.

"Thanks," Darla leaned against her sister.

"So," Drew said deciding to change the subject. "How was lunch? Was that diner any good?"

"It was really good," Darla nodded.

"Next time you have an appointment, we'll stop by there," Drew said.

Darla nodded. "I actually had lunch with Liam-- Healer Thornhart."

"You did?" Drew asked taken aback. "Really?"

"He showed up right as I ordered," Darla nodded.

"That must have been a little awkward," Drew commented.

"Not really," Darla said. "He's very easy to talk to."

"And easy on the eyes," Drew said pointedly.

"What are you getting at?" Darla asked.

"Nothing," Drew replied. "I was just making a statement. He's very handsome."

"I really didn't pay attention to that," Darla said honestly.

Drew nodded. "He seems very nice and he didn't seem to mind our questions."

Darla shook her head. "I hope Lizzy doesn't mind me going to him."

"I'm sure she doesn't," Drew replied thoughtfully. "You heard her talking the other day about her patient load. I'm sure she's happy for the help."

"Good," Darla said.

"You missed quite the meltdown at the bridal shop," Drew told her. "Muffy is lucky that she's still breathing after the way she treated the seamstress."

"Oh no," Darla said. "I knew she was going to be a Bridezilla."

"We can always tell," Drew said. "I somehow managed to keep calm though I wanted to smack her."

Darla had to laugh. "That's better than me."

Drew grinned. "She doesn't want to mess with a pregnant Weasley."

"Definitely not," Darla agreed with a yawn.

"Why don't you lie down and kip?" Drew suggested.

"I think I will," Darla said.

"Everything's going to be okay," Drew told her.

"I hope so," Darla replied.

"Get some sleep," Drew said. "I'll be here when you wake up. I promise."

"I have to be home by seven," Darla said. "Hans is coming so we can talk."

Drew nodded, but wondered if Hans would actually show up this time.

"Wake me up around six?" Darla asked.

"Deal," Drew said.

"Thanks," Darla yawned again as she headed upstairs.

It had been a long day with emotional highs and lows.

She laid down in her old bed and thought of Liam Thornhart.

She hadn't thought much about it before, but he was handsome. And he'd been so kind to her today in the diner.

""Stop," she told herself.

The important thing was working this out with Hans and finding some kind of common ground.

It didn't take her long to doze off, and she slept right up until the time Drew woke her up so she could go meet her husband.

"You want me to come with you?" Drew offered.

Darla shook her head. "I'll be fine. Besides, you've spent enough time with me today. Go spend some time with Brian and Chloe."

"Just let me know if you need me, okay?" Drew asked.

"I will," Darla promised. "Thank you for everything, Drew."

"Anytime, sister." Drew gave her a hug.

Darla walked downstairs with Drew and after saying a quick goodbye to her parents, she set off for home.

The house was dark and empty as always and she sighed as she let herself inside. She still had a few moments before Hans was scheduled to arrive.

She went to the loo and freshened herself up, patting her cheeks to bring a little colour into them.

There was a knock on the door and she wondered why Hans would do that when this was his home.

Darla smoothed out her clothing before opening the door.

Hans stood on the other side of the door, wearing sunglasses and looking as if he'd just rolled out of bed.

"I forgot my key," he said with a cocky grin.

"I see," Darla said, biting her lower lip.

He breezed past her and looked around. "Why is it so dark in here?"

"I just got in," Darla explained.

"Oh," Hans said taking off his sunglasses. "So..."

"I really hoped you'd make it back for the ultrasound," Darla said.

Hans looked at her. "How'd it go?"

"Fine," Darla crossed her arms.

"Do we have any sobering potion?" Hans asked. "It probably would be easier to talk to you if my head wasn't pounding..."

"You're hung over?" Darla asked incredulously.

"My agents have me going to all these parties," Hans said rubbing his temple. "To tell you the truth, I don't know what day it is. I just did get through that interview today with People."

"What has happened to you?" Darla asked.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Hans asked.

"You have changed so much," Darla said. "This whole Calvin Klein thing has completely changed you!"

"I miss one little appointment and you act like this is the end of the world," Hans said rolling his eyes.

"One little appointment?" Darla asked in disbelief. "THIS IS OUR BABY, HANS!"

"Please don't yell," Hans said holding up his hand.

"Then stop acting like an idiot!" Darla snapped before going into the kitchen for a potion.

There was a knock on the door while she was in the kitchen and Hans went to answer it.

"Can I help you?" Hans asked impatiently.

"I was looking for Darla Feinbach," the man said. He was holding a couple of bags and spoke with an Irish accent.

"Okay, mate," Hans said with a sigh. "Which paper are you with?"

"Paper?" the man looked confused. "I'm not with the media..."

"Telly? Radio? Internet?" Hans asked. "Look, if you want the story, you can contact my agent..."

"I'm afraid there's been a misunderstanding," the man said. "I'm Liam Thornhart, Dar-- Mrs. Feinbach's healer."

"Little late for a house call isn't it?" Hans asked folding his arms.

"I just brought by some vitamins for her." Liam held up the bag.

Hans grabbed it from him. "Thanks, mate. Now, if you'll just---"

"Liam?" Darla appeared with a mug of sobering potion in her hand. "What are you doing here?"

"Lizzy gave me your address," Hans said. "I was on my way home and I brought by some extra pre-natal vitamins for you."

"That was really nice," Darla said. "Thank you."

Hans took the potion from his wife. "Thanks, babe."

Liam nodded his head. "I should go..."

"Yeah," Hans said. "Don't let us keep you."

Darla glared at her husband. "I'll see you at our next appointment, Liam. Thank you."

"It's no problem," Liam said. "Are you---are you sure you're okay?"

Darla nodded. "I'm all right."

"Okay then," Liam said. "Good night."

"Bye," Hans said, shutting the door.

Darla glared at him. "I can't believe how rude you were just then."

Hans gulped down the potion. "What of it?"

"Why did you come here if you were going to act this way?" Darla asked him. "He's a very nice man and he's going to be my healer. You were very rude to him, Hans."

Hans waved his hand. “Show me the ultrasound pictures.”

"They're in my bag," Darla said with a sigh. "I'll go and get them."

Hans followed his wife into the kitchen. "I'm hungry."

Darla hoped he didn't think she was going to make him something after the way he'd just acted.

Hans sat down at the table and finished the sobering potion. "Have we got any pasta?

"There's some in the pantry," Darla replied. She rifled in her bag for the pictures.

Hans watched her for a moment and then sighed as he got up.

Darla walked over to him. "I can't stop looking at these pictures actually. Liam said that he's growing like he should and his heartbeat..."

"One second," Hans interrupted as he dug for the box of pasta.

Darla seethed. "Oh, by all means," she said sarcastically.

"Can you boil me a pot of water?" he asked.

Darla didn't answer him.

"Dar?" he finally looked at her.

"You missed one of the most important moments of our lives today," Darla said trying very hard to keep her emotions in check. "Today, I saw our son for the first time. I heard his heartbeat. Do you even care about that? No. No, you don't. You'd rather I boil you a pot of water!"

"I'm hungry," Hans said defensively. "And I thought we could talk about this over some dinner!"

"No, you thought I'd cook you something," Darla retorted. "That's what you thought."

Hans tossed the box onto the counter. "Fine," he snapped. "I don't care if you make me anything."

"Here," Darla said handing him the picture. "That's your son for all you care!"

Hans looked at the pictures and his expression softened.

"I'm going to lie down," Darla said quietly. "It's been a long day."

"Wait," Hans said. "Dar... this is amazing."

"You missed it," Darla said quietly.

"I know," he said. "I'm... I'm shite."

"Tell me something I don't know," Darla said folding her arms.

"I'm sorry," he said, looking up at her.

Darla looked wordlessly back at him.

"Let's go through these together," he said. "Please?"

"Okay," Darla relented.

Hans held his hand out to her.

Darla put her hand in his and led him over to the table. They sat down beside each other and Darla smiled as she looked at the grainy photograph of their baby.

"That's a little arm, isn't it?" Hans asked.

Darla nodded. "It is."

He laughed. "And I think that's a leg..."

"I can't even describe what it was like to listen to his heartbeat," Darla said softly.

"I shouldn't have missed it," Hans said. "Dar..."

"No, you shouldn't have," Darla said looking at him. "I don't even know who you are lately."

"Everything's happening so fast," he said. "And... it's all so exciting, Dar."

"Like what?" Darla asked him. "People magazine?"

"Yeah," Hans said. "I mean... it's the cover!"

"So you've managed to turn everything around?" Darla asked.

"I hope so," he said.

"Parties?" Darla asked.

"Lots of those," Hans admitted.

"There haven't been too many of those for me," Darla said quietly.

"I should have had you there with me," Hans replied.

"Yeah, I'm sure your pregnant wife would have been a big hit at the parties," Darla said shaking her head.

Hans looked at his wife properly. "Dar..."

"I don't want to go to parties," Darla said. "I've never wanted the spotlight, Hans. I know you do and that's fine, but I like my life the way it is. I want to raise our son here."

"I just don't know what to do about that," Hans said. "Right now, my life is in New York."

"And where do I fit in to that?" Darla asked him. "And your son?"

"I don't know," he said honestly. "But I want to work something out."

"I need your support," Darla said.

"You're going to get it," he told her.

"I hope so," Darla said. "And I'd really like it if you'd go to the next appointment with me."

Hans nodded. "When is it?"

"The 16th," Darla replied. "At nine."

"The 16th?" Hans asked. "Okay. I'm there."

"I've heard it before," Darla said quietly.

"This time it's different," he swore.

"How about you order us a pizza?" Darla asked him. "I'm going to go upstairs and get changed into something more comfortable."

Hans nodded. "Sounds good."

Darla gave his hand a little squeeze before she left the room.

Hans was just about to look for the takeout menus when his mobile phone vibrated in his pocket. He smiled when he saw the name.

"Hiya, Katya," he answered.

"Hello gorgeous," she purred. "Where are you?"

"I'm at home," he replied, which was partly true.

"Well I happen to be standing right outside your apartment, and you're not," she said in a pouty voice.

Hans chuckled. "Okay, okay. You got me. I'm---I'm actually on the way back to the party. I thought you were going to wait for me."

"I was but I got bored," she replied.

"Waiting for me?" Hans asked huskily.

"Always," Katya said in a sultry tone.

"Let yourself in," Hans said. "I'll be home a little later. I promise."

"I'll be waiting..." Katya purred.

Hans laughed as he shut off the phone.

"What's so funny?" Darla asked from the doorway.

"What?" Hans asked turning around.

"What were you laughing at?" she asked.

Hans placed his phone back into his pocket. "A joke my agent was telling me. I was just checking in with them."

"Oh," Darla replied. "Did you get the pizza yet?"

Hans shook his head. "No, I was just about to. You want anything strange on there?" he asked with a grin. "Anchovies and pineapples?"

"And mayonnaise," Darla said with a grin.

Hans laughed. "How about our usual instead?"

"Good idea," Darla agreed.

Hans picked up the phone and dialed the number of their favourite pizza place.

Darla busied herself getting plates and napkins and juice for her, a butterbeer for him. She felt better than she had in awhile about her marriage.

"Drew bought me a baby name book," Darla told him excitedly.

"She did?" he asked. "We should look through it."

"Chloe wants help us too," Darla said smiling as she thought of her niece. "Every time I see her, she comes up with a new name."

"Like what?" Hans asked.

Darla laughed. "Oh, let's see...yesterday it was Reginald."

"She can say that?" Hans asked in amazement.

"Sort of," Darla replied. "It comes out Reg-ald. Drew says it's the name of a character on one of the cartoons she watches."

"Oh," Hans replied. "It's cute... we could call him Reggie."

"We can put it on the list," Darla said.

"Let's look at the book while we eat," he said.

"Fantastic idea," Darla said. "I should probably take one of those vitamins that Liam brought over too."

Hans felt his smile slip just a little. "Right," he agreed.

"Can you stay tonight?" Darla asked.

"I uh... I'm not sure." he said. "They might need me back..."

"Oh," Darla said before popping a vitamin into her mouth. She was disappointed, but at least he was here now. It was a start.

"I'll see," Hans said, touching her cheek. "I've missed you."

"I missed you too," Darla said softly.

He leaned in and gave her a gentle but passionate kiss.

They pulled apart a few moments later and Darla felt a little dazed. A kiss didn't repair their problems, but it did remind her of how they used to be.

"You are still the most beautiful woman in the world," he told her.

Darla laughed. "You always were a flatterer."

"That's what you love about me," Hans grinned at her.

"One of the things," Darla said. She heard the knock on the front door. "That'll be the pizza."

"Great," Hans said. "I'll just bring all this into the sitting room if you want to grab it."

"Deal," Darla said smiling at him.

Once his wife was gone, he pulled out his phone and texted Katya, telling her he was staying out that night and wasn't coming home.

"It's not pasta," Darla said setting the box down on the coffee table.

"It's a close second," he said, shoving his phone into his pocket.

"Big famous model," Darla teased. "You're supposed to be afraid of carbs, remember?"

"I'll risk it," Hans said dryly.

"Carbs are good," Darla said eagerly taking a piece of pizza and setting it on her plate.

"For you especially," Hans grinned.

"A Weasley never met a carb they didn't like," Darla joked. "And your son is no exception."

"Our son," Hans corrected.

"Our son," Darla repeated with a grin.

"Who we need to think of a name for," Hans reached for the book.

Darla nodded. "Oh, and, just so you know, Chloe already put forth the name Hansel. She said it reminded her of you and also because if we had a girl later on, we could name her Gretel."

"Hansel Feinbach?" Hans asked with a grin.

Darla giggled. "So that would be a no, then?"

"I don't think so," Hans shook his head.

Darla took a bite of her pizza and watched her husband thumb through the book.

"What about this one?" he showed it to her.

"Rafe?" Darla asked.

"It's kind of cool," Hans shrugged. "But if you don't like it--"

"Rafe Feinbach," Darla said thoughtfully. "I like that actually."

"You do?" he asked.

Darla nodded. "Has a nice ring to it."

"Well there we go," Hans said with a grin. "We've got a name."

"I'll still let Chloe come up with a middle name," Darla said grinning back at him. The phone in Hans' pocket vibrated again and he sighed.

"I'm going to get another drink," Hans said. "You want anything?"

"Some more juice would be great," Darla said.

"Coming right up," Hans said grabbing her glass on his way to the kitchen.

"Thanks," Darla called after him.

Hans set the glasses down on the counter and pulled out his phone. "You got my message, eh?" he asked in a low voice.

"Why aren't you coming back?" Katya whined.

"Family emergency," Hans lied. "I'll make it up to you, Kat. I promise. Besides, you can get that beauty sleep you're always talking about."

"I don't need it and you know it," Katya replied.

Hans chuckled. "No. I just---"

A beeping sound alerted Hans that he'd just received a photo. He pulled the phone away and laughed. "Kat...you're not fighting fair."

"What can I say?" Katya asked. "You know how I always get what I want."

"Yes, you do," Hans said smiling to himself. "I'll see you tomorrow, okay?"

"I'd better," Katya replied.

"You drive me crazy," Hans said. "You know that, right?"

"Of course I do," Katya purred.

Because his back was to the doorway, Hans didn't see Darla enter the kitchen.

"So I'll see you tomorrow then," Hans said.

Darla leaned against the doorframe.

"No," Hans was saying in a husky, low voice. "I'm still recovering from the last time..."

The happy feeling Darla had since Hans agreed to stay the night slipped away as she listened to his half of the conversation.

"Bye," Hans said, ending the call. He turned around and was startled to see his wife. "Dar. You scared me half to death."

"Who was that?" she asked.

"What?" Hans asked, keeping his back to her as he walked to the icebox. "Go and sit down, sweetheart. Your juice is coming right up and if you're really sweet, you'll get a foot massage."

"On the phone," Darla said quietly. "Who were you talking to?"

"Mitch," Hans replied. "My friend from New York? He wants to go to the gym tomorrow."

"Oh," Darla replied.

"He's a real workout fiend," Hans said rolling his eyes. "Last time I went to the gym with him, I couldn't move my arms or legs without excruciating pain."

Darla smiled. "You never were one for working out."

"Says the girl who took me for a death march up that bloody mountain on our sixth date," Hans teased handing her back her glass.

"But you have to admit the view was worth it." Darla told him.

"It was," Hans said putting his arm around her. "But it was torture getting there."

Darla leaned against him, closing her eyes.

"Sleepy?" Hans asked softly.

"A little," Darla said. "Rafe is hungry."

Hans grinned and led her back over to the couch. "Sit down..."

"How about more pizza?" she asked.

Hans laughed and reached into the box pulling out another slice. He set it on her plate and handed it to her.

"Yum," Darla bit into it.

He sat down on the other side of the sofa. "Give me those feet."

"Mmmm..." Darla eyed him lazily. "You're the best."

Hans began massaging her feet and tried to assuage the guilt that he felt about what had happened with Katya.

It had only been one time, but the woman was so damn irresistible.

"You have no idea how great that feels," Darla said smiling at him.

"Good," Hans replied softly. "I want you to be comfortable."

Darla studied him. "I'm just really glad that you're here."

Hans nodded. "We have to work something out."

"A compromise," Darla agreed.

"Of some kind," Hans replied.

"You really mean that?" Darla asked.

"Yeah," Hans said, moving to her other foot.

"So," Darla said. "Tell me. How are things really going in New York? Are you turning things around?"

"Yeah," Hans nodded. "Things are crazy there. I get mobbed wherever I go."

Darla laughed. "Well, your handsome mug was all over Times Square. Not to mention those six-pack abs..."

"Those I had to work out for," Hans grinned.

Darla laughed. "And what do you do when you're not working?"

"Go to industry parties," Hans said.

Darla kicked him with the foot he wasn't massaging. "No, what do you do for fun? This bloke...Mitch, was it? Do you hang out a lot together?"

"Uh, yeah," Hans nodded. "He's a cool bloke."

"Do you have any other friends?" Darla asked.

"A few," he said. "Mostly though I spend time with Freddy."

"There were some photographs of you in OK magazine," Darla said. "You were coming out of a party with these two women...I remember seeing one of them at the New Year's press conference. Katya, wasn't it?"

"She's always around," Hans mumbled.

"I guess you run into them all at those industry parties," Darla said thoughtfully.

"Yeah," Hans said. "I do."

"The beautiful people travelling together in packs," Darla teased.

"We have to remain inconspicuous," Hans joked.

"Not very easy for you to do," Darla said leaning back against the sofa.

"Nah," Hans said, moving up next to her

Darla yawned and closed her eyes.

Hans tucked a strand of hair behind her ear.

"I didn't realise how exhausted I was," Darla said softly.

"You're pregnant," he said. "It's understandable."

"Sleepy little blob," Darla said. "That's me."

"Hardly a blob," Hans told her.

"I'm well on my way," Darla said looking at him.

"You'll always be beautiful, Dar." Hans said.

Darla smiled up at him. "I love you."

"Love you too," Hans gave her a kiss.

Darla rested her head on his chest. "Tonight...was kind of like how it used to be, wasn't it?"

"Yeah it was," Hans agreed.

"I want more nights like this," Darla said softly.

Hans again felt the guilt rise up in him over Katya. "Tomorrow," he told her. "Before I have to leave, we'll work something out."

"With unlimited foot massages?" Darla asked grinning at him.

"Only for you," Hans replied giving her another kiss.

250. 250

We know a lot of you have been waiting for a Saffron scene, but we hope RJ, Audrey, Emma, Ethan and Maddie can stave your appetites for the time being ;) Saffron appears again next chapter!

Much to RJ's relief, the situation with Saffron had kept him from having to do much with Audrey's cousin Becca, who had inserted herself into their lives in a rather abrupt fashion.

Everywhere he turned, there she was with Audrey. He wanted her family to like him, but Becca made him feel more than a little uncomfortable.

He headed into the pub, hoping for once Audrey would be there alone.

To his great relief, he saw his girlfriend alone behind the bar.

"Hey you," he said with a grin.

"Hey, yourself," Audrey grinned back at him. "I thought you were at practise."

"Just got out," RJ leaned over the bar and gave her a kiss.

Audrey smiled. "How did it go?"

"Fine," RJ nodded. "I feel bad for Saf, though."

"She still didn't show up?" Audrey asked.

"She did, but it was obvious she's distracted," RJ said.

"Did she find out about----?" Audrey's voice trailed off.

"No," RJ shook his head. "They said it was too early to tell."

"I'm sure she's not pregnant," Audrey said optimistically.

"She really doesn't need that right now," RJ said. "Not when things are just kicking off for her."

"She's lucky she has a family and friends like you who will support her no matter what," Audrey said reaching for his hand.

"You too," RJ pointed out. "She really likes you."

"I like her too," Audrey said with a grin. "I didn't think we'd ever be friends, but we've come a long way."

RJ nodded. "You still see Natalia?"

"I saw her this morning," Audrey said. "We had breakfast before classes."

"How's she doing?" RJ asked.

"Better," Audrey replied. "She's actually going on a blind date this weekend."

"Good for her," RJ nodded. "I'm glad she's moving on."

"Me too," Audrey agreed. "So, what can I get you?"

"You," RJ said with a grin.

Audrey giggled. "Well, I'm a given. But, what else d you want? And before you answer, you're in luck. Allie's filling in for the cook today. She's in the kitchen."

"Oh man," RJ's eyes gleamed. "See if she'll make me some of her chicken, would you?"

"Go on back," Audrey said. "I have to check on my customers."

"Sounds good," RJ gave her another kiss before slipping behind the counter.

RJ smiled when he saw his sister-in-law in the kitchen. "Aud told me you were back here."

"Hi RJ," Allison smiled at him.

"You don't by any chance have any of that chicken do you?" RJ asked, sending her his most charming smile.

Allison laughed. "I knew you had an ulterior motive."

RJ leaned against the counter. "Come on, Allie. I just finished with practise."

"I'll get you something to eat," Allison said. "You're just as bad as Jon, you know."

RJ put his hand to his chest in a dramatic fashion. "Ouch, Allie. I'm not that bad, am I?"

"Definitely not as bad as your dad," Allison teased.

"Or Em," RJ said grinning at her.

"You'll get to see her if you stick around," Allison said. "Jon's just left to pick Caroline and Emma up from school."

"Great," RJ settled himself onto a stool.

"So," Allison said as she set about making him a plate. "How are things with you?"

"Good," RJ nodded. "Keeping busy."

Audrey entered the kitchen. She walked over to stand beside RJ and leaned against him. "Only two more hours and then I get to study for the rest of the evening..."

"Study me, I hope," RJ grinned at her.

"I'd much rather do that," Audrey said grinning back at him.

RJ circled his arm around her waist and pulled her to him.

"Don't mind me," Allison joked.

"We won't," RJ teased.

"We have to sneak in some quality time when we can," Audrey said softly.

"Turning my back now," Allison said.

"It's okay," Audrey laughed. "We're going to behave. Oh...Jon's going to be back soon, right?"

"Pretty quick," Allison said. "The girls' school is nearby."

"I told Becca to come by at three," Audrey said. She didn't notice RJ tense up at the mention of her cousin.

"That's your cousin, right?" Allison asked. Audrey nodded. "She wants to make some extra money and Jon said he'd interview her for the waitress position."

"What?" RJ asked.

"There's an open position since Jackie left," Audrey reminded him. "And Becca mentioned the other night that she wanted to find a job. I thought this would be perfect for her."

"Oh," RJ muttered.

"Well, if she's anything like you, Audrey, I'm sure she's a shoo-in," Allison said setting a plate of food in front of RJ.

"She is," Audrey said. "Becca and I are really close."

"Where's Adam?" RJ asked, eager to change the subject.

"He's with Nana," Allison replied.

Audrey grinned. "I bet she's not going to want to give him back."

"And he doesn't ever want to leave," Allison laughed.

RJ picked up his plate. "You know maybe I'll take this home. I'm kind of knackered---"

"What?" Audrey asked. "RJ you just got here!"

"Sit down," Allison said. "You know Caroline and Emma will be upset if they find out they missed their uncle."

RJ hoped they'd get back and he could be gone before Becca arrived.

"Besides," Audrey said. "It's my break and we can eat together. Come on...our table is free..."

"Okay," RJ said.

"You're so easy," Audrey teased. She walked over to the icebox and retrieved her pasta salad and a bottle of water. "Come on, Weasley."

RJ took her plate and bottle. "Lunch with my best girl... can't say no to that."

Audrey led the way toward their table. She started telling him a funny story about a customer she'd had earlier in her shift.

RJ laughed. "Are you serious? She said that?"

"Yes," Audrey giggled. "I was completely floored. It's not every day that you hear a woman that old say something like that, you know?"

"No kidding," RJ agreed, swiping one of her noodles.

"Hey," Audrey protested. "You could ask, you know!"

"But I'm so cute," RJ grinned at her.

"Yeah, you are," Audrey laughed. "One of the many reasons I'm crazy about you."

"I'm completely mad about you too, you know," RJ said softly.

Audrey reached across the table and squeezed his hand. "I know."

"There is something I wanted to talk to you about later," RJ began.

"Oh?" Audrey asked intrigued.

"Yeah," he said, growing a bit nervous. He'd been planning on asking Audrey if she wanted to move in together but wondered if it wasn't the right time.

"Uncle RJ!" Caroline squealed when she saw him. She and Emma ran at full speed toward their table.

"Hey you guys," RJ said as Emma propelled herself into him.

"Mummy's chicken!" Emma exclaimed.

RJ laughed. "Dig in, Em."

Caroline looked at her sister. "Em, it's Uncle RJ's lunch."

"Just a bite?" Emma asked.

"Who could say no to that face?" RJ asked tugging on one of Emma's curls. "You can have a bite, Em."

"Hey, Caroline," Audrey said warmly. "How was school?"

"Fine," Caroline said. "I got full marks on my essay I wrote about Max!"

"Way to go," Audrey said grinning at her.

"I can't wait to show Mummy," Caroline said proudly.

"She's going to be so proud," Audrey said. "And what about you, Em?"

"Um..." Emma thought for a minute. "I drew a picture of my house!"

"And got in trouble because she was dancing in class when the teacher was trying to teach," Caroline reminded her.

Emma glared at her. "Tattletale!"

"I was standing right there when she told Daddy," Caroline reminded her.

"You didn't have to tell everyone," Emma pouted.

"It's okay, Em," RJ told her. "If I had a knut for every single time I got in trouble in class, I'd be set for life."

"See," Emma said to her sister.

Caroline shook her head.

"Why were you dancing in class?" Audrey asked the little girl.

"Because I wanted to!" Emma said. "I was bored!"

"Let's see this famous dance," RJ said to his niece.

Emma grinned, always glad to have an audience. She hopped out of the booth and began shaking her little bum.

"Emma Madeline Weasley," Allison called out from the kitchen. "In here. Right. Now."

Emma stopped. "But Mummy--"

"Now, Emma," Allison said.

"I think Daddy told Mummy," Caroline whispered to Audrey.

"I think so too," Audrey agreed as Emma stomped towards the kitchen.

"Nana says Em's a free spirit," Caroline said. "I don't know what that means..."

"She's one of a kind, just put it that way," RJ gobbled up the rest of his food.

"She does stuff like that all the time," Caroline said. "She doesn't like to sit still."

"That definitely sounds like your uncle," Audrey teased.

"Hey!" RJ protested.

Audrey and Caroline laughed.

"You don't like to sit still," Audrey said swatting playfully at him. "You're always ready to do something."

"Yeah, so?" RJ asked.

"Part of your charm," Audrey said grinning at him.

"True," RJ winked at her.

"Peek-a-boo," Becca said coming up behind him.

RJ nearly jumped out of his seat.

Becca giggled. "Gotcha!"

"Hey," Audrey grinned at her cousin.

"I'm early," Becca said sitting down. "I know, but I wanted to make a good impression."

"Nothing wrong with that," Audrey slid out of the booth. "I'll let Jon know you're here."

"I'll come too," Caroline scampered after her. "I want to show Mummy my essay!"

"All right," Audrey took the little girl's hand. "We'll be right back."

RJ frowned. The last thing he wanted was to be left alone with Becca.

Becca slid in across from him. "So... RJ..."

"So, Becca," RJ said, avoiding her gaze.

"You haven't been by," she said.

"Yes, well," RJ said looking at his watch. "I've been busy."

"Too busy," she pouted.

"Aud and I went out the other night with your brother and his girlfriend," RJ said. "I really like him."

"Mmm..." Becca clearly wasn't interested.

"I should probably go and check on Audrey," RJ started to get up.

"She said she'd be right back," Becca pointed out, grabbing his hand.

"Becca," RJ warned, pulling his hand away.

"What?" She asked innocently.

"You know very well what," RJ hissed.

"Not really," she smiled at him, letting her blond hair fall over her shoulder.

RJ sighed. "I love your cousin. I'm not going to do anything to screw that up."

Becca shrugged. "Wouldn't ask you to."

"Then what is it you want from me?" RJ asked her point-blank.

Becca smiled as Audrey called for her. "You already know..." she whispered in his ear.

RJ sighed. "Leave it, Becca."

"For now," she said in a sultry tone, sliding out of the booth.

RJ could only shake his head as he watched her go. This girl was trouble and he didn't know how to even bring it up to Audrey.

His girlfriend slid in across from him again. "I hope she gets the job. It would be so fun having her work here!"

"Yeah," RJ muttered.

"You okay?" Audrey peered at him.

RJ nodded. "Yeah, I'm just a little tired."

"I'll give you a massage later," Audrey promised.

RJ smiled. "Promise?"

"Anything for you," Audrey leaned across the table.

RJ kissed her. "I love you, Aud."

"I love you too," Audrey said. "More than anything, RJ."

"Aud, we've been together for a long time now," RJ started to say.

"I know," Audrey said. "It's been great, hasn't it?"

RJ nodded. "It has. I mean, we've had our ups and downs, but we've always made it through."

"Of course we have," Audrey squeezed his hand.

"I've done a lot of thinking," RJ said softly. "And what I've ---"

"Uncle RJ!" Emma came out. "Look! I have Mummy's chicken too!"

Audrey laughed. "And here I thought you'd be on bread and water as punishment."

Emma shook her head. "No way!"

Audrey helped the little girl set her plate on the table. "So, you're not in trouble?"

Emma frowned. "A little bit."

"Uh-oh," Audrey said. "What do you have to do?"

"Stay in my room," Emma pouted.

"It could have been worse," Audrey tried to make her feel better. "You could have had no dessert for a week."

"That's a bad punishment," Emma's eyes were wide. "Don't tell Mummy that one!"

Audrey nodded. "I promise."

"I should get going," RJ said.

"Stay," Audrey said. "Come on. Don't you want to see how Becca's interview turned out?"

RJ shrugged. "Well... I guess."

"What were you going to tell me," Audrey said. "Before. It sounded important."

RJ didn't want to go into it in front of Emma. "It can wait."

"You're sure?" Audrey asked.

RJ nodded. "Yeah."

"I should get back to work," Audrey said. "Em, you keep your Uncle RJ company."

"Kay," Emma nodded. "I can do that."

Audrey kissed RJ on the cheek. "I'll be back."

Emma giggled. "Aud loves you." she told RJ.

"I love her too," RJ said. "Very much, Em."

Emma seemed to find that funny. "And she kissed you!"

"What are you laughing at?" RJ asked nudging her.

"Nothing," Emma giggled.

"You're too much, Em," RJ said feeling better.

"I know," Emma replied. "Are you going to marry her?"

"Marry her?" RJ asked. "I--um---well..."

"Can I be in the wedding?" Emma continued.

"There's not going to be a wedding anytime soon, Em," RJ replied.

"Why?" Emma asked.

"W-well, we're a little too young, for one," RJ stammered.

"Mummy and Daddy were like you," Emma said.

"Not exactly," RJ said.

"Were too," Emma countered.

"How do you reckon that?" RJ asked.

"They told me," Emma said simply.

RJ snuck a piece of her chicken. "They had to get married when they did. They didn't have a choice. Aud and I are just fine as we are, Emma."

"That was my food!" Emma exclaimed.

"You had some of mine," RJ reminded her. He was glad that he'd distracted her from talk of marriage.

"Just one piece," Emma wagged her finger.

"Okay," RJ promised.

"No more," Emma said.

"Yes, ma'am," RJ said. "Never come between Emma and her food."

"No," Emma said solemnly.

"So," RJ said. "What about you? You have a boyfriend, Miss Emma?"

"Ewww," Emma made a face.

"What about that kid that was at your party?" RJ teased. "The one that followed you around?"

"He's gross!" Emma exclaimed.

"He was in lurve with Emma," RJ said in a sing-song voice.

"Was not!" Emma crossed her arms.

"Only teasing," RJ said leaning back.

"Hmmmmph," Emma replied.

RJ was about to say something else when he saw out of the corner of his eye, Audrey talking excitedly with Becca. The two girls hugged each other and RJ knew that Becca had gotten the job.

He sighed. "Great," he muttered.

"What's great?" Emma asked curiously.

"Nothing, Em." RJ said. "Let's take you back to the kitchen, okay?"

"Okay," Emma said happily. "Ice cream!"

"There you go," RJ said, taking her hand.

"Congratulations are in order," Audrey said to RJ. "Bex got the job!"

RJ forced a smile. "Nice." he nodded.

"You're going to be seeing a lot more of me," Becca beamed at him.

"Great," RJ tried to sound enthusiastic for his girlfriend's sake.

"I start training with Aud tomorrow," Becca said happily.

"We're going to have a blast," Audrey said excitedly.

Emma tugged on RJ's arm. "Come on. Ice cream!"

"Right," RJ said. "See you later, Aud."

"I'll come by after I finish studying," Audrey promised. "And I'll give you that massage I promised."

"Can’t wait," RJ leaned in and gave her a quick peck on the lips. "Love you."

"Love you," Audrey said beaming at him.

"Come ON," Emma tugged harder at his hand.

"Right, right," RJ said laughing at his niece's eagerness.

Emma dragged him into the kitchen where Jon, Allison and Caroline were sitting at the counter.

"Em and I were wondering if we could have some ice cream," RJ said.

"Didn't you just eat a whole plate of chicken?" Jon asked his youngest daughter.

"So?" Emma asked. "I'm still hungry."

"Just a little bit," Allison said. "One scoop and that's it."

"And no more dancing in class, Em," Jon told her.

"I know," Emma replied.

RJ laughed as he went to the icebox to retrieve the carton of ice cream. "Funny that you should be counselling her on how to behave in classes, don't you think?" RJ asked his brother.

"Very funny, Junior." Jon replied.

"Daddy was bad?" Emma asked.

RJ guffawed. "Em... we don't even want to go there."

"I used to get into trouble," Jon said shooting a glare at his brother. "But, your grandma and grandpa would get so angry and they'd punish me and I learned the hard way to behave."

"Oh," Emma replied.

RJ looked over at Caroline. "Do you want some ice cream, too?"

"Can I, Mummy?" Caroline asked.

"Sure," Allison replied. "One scoop for her, too, RJ."

"Sure thing, Allie." RJ grabbed another bowl.

"Mummy, did you cook lots and lots of food today?" Caroline asked.

"I did, baby." Allison said. "So it's pizza night."

Caroline and Emma looked at each other and grinned.

Jon laughed. "You two were waiting for that, weren't you?"

Caroline giggled. "Pizza night is the best. Can me and Em get what we want on it?"

Allison smiled. "Green peppers, extra cheese, extra pepperoni, right?"

Emma nodded happily and banged her spoon against the table.

"Em," Allison said. "Relax, baby."

Jon laughed. "She gets excited over pizza and ice cream, don't you, baby girl?"

"Very excited, Daddy." Emma agreed.

"Um, Jon, can I have a word?" RJ asked after he'd set bowls of ice cream in front of his two nieces.

"Sure," Jon replied.

RJ led him over to the corner of the kitchen. "You hired Aud's cousin?"

"Becca?" Jon asked. "Yeah, why?"

"She's never waited tables before," RJ said. "I was just wondering if that was the best idea..."

Jon looked at him strangely. "Audrey had never waited tables either before we hired her. What's the big deal?"

"Nothing," RJ muttered.

"You don't like her?" Jon asked.

RJ shrugged. He didn't want to ruin things for Becca and he wondered if perhaps he was reading far too much into this. "I don't really know her that well."

"I'm sure she'll do fine," Jon told him.

"Yeah," RJ said forcing a smile.

Jon patted his shoulder and went back to his wife and daughters.

"Uncle RJ, your ice cream is melting!" Caroline exclaimed.

"Thanks Caroline," RJ no longer felt like eating it but sat down anyway.

"Where's Aud?" Emma asked.

"She's working, Em." Jon told her.

"I want to work here when I get older," Caroline said thoughtfully.

Jon grinned. "You do, Angel?"

Caroline nodded. "In fact, Em and I were going to play restaurant when we go home, right Em?"

"We can play restaurant?" Emma asked, her eyes wide. "And eat?"

Allison tickled Emma's side. "I take it you'll be the customer then since you want to eat?"

"Yes!" Emma said, giggling.

"I'll let you take one of the trays home with you," Jon told Caroline.

"Thanks Daddy!" Caroline said happily.

Allison grabbed one of the spare aprons and put it around her oldest daughter. "There you go."

"This is going to be so much fun!" Caroline said.

Emma nodded, hoping her mother would forget that she was supposed to stay in her room that night.

"But it's going to have to wait until after Emma's punishment," Allison said.

"But Mummy--" both girls began.

"Emma Madeline, you misbehaved in class," Allison reminded her.

Emma sulked, looking at her empty bowl.

"It's okay, Em," Caroline told her. "I'll wait to play when you're not punished."

"Thanks," Emma replied.

"I'll get it all set up for us," Caroline continued. "It'll be so cool."

"Thanks, Sissy," Emma said gratefully.

"Crisis averted," RJ said. "I should get going."

"Bye, Uncle RJ," Emma said sliding off her chair to give him a hug.

"See you later, Em." RJ gave her a kiss. "And you too Caroline."

"Bye, Uncle RJ," Caroline said, waving at him.

RJ came out into the bar area hoping Becca had left so he could properly say goodbye to Audrey.

Audrey was just going behind the bar when she saw him. "Hey, Weasley."

"Hey," he grinned at her. "I'm taking off."

"I'll see you later, right?" Audrey asked.

RJ nodded. "Jon said he'd get you through the Leaky Cauldron so you can get to my place."

"It's a date," Audrey said looping her arms around his neck.

RJ gave her a quick kiss. "Love you."

"I love you," Audrey said.

"See you later," he gave her one more peck then ducked out from the bar.

He was in good spirits when he walked out of the pub until he saw Becca sitting on the bench. "Hi," she said smiling at him. "I'm waiting for the bus."

"That's nice," RJ said, walking past her.

"Did you bring your car?" Becca called after him.

"No," he answered.

"Are you walking home then?" Becca asked.

"Something like that," RJ didn't stop.

Becca hurried after him. "I'll walk with you."

"I'm close by," he said.

"Oh," Becca said pouting at him.

"See you," RJ hurried away from her.

He knew that he was being rude, but he couldn't see any other way to get through to her. The good thing about living where he did, there was no chance of her following him.

Becca watched him rush out of sight and smiled to herself. She did love a challenge.

She knew he had a wandering eye, after all. Audrey had told her about what had happened with his last girlfriend.

"And sooner or later, RJ, it WILL wander to me," she said to herself as the bus pulled up to her stop.

*** *** ***

Maddie and Ethan had both had a long week at work and the two of them fell asleep the moment their heads hit their pillows. Maddie didn't know how long she was asleep when she heard cries coming from the nursery. Ethan slept on and Maddie sighed. She'd get this one, but he was definitely getting the next one.

Maddie pulled on her dressing gown and stepped out of the bedroom.

"Hi baby girl," she cooed upon entering the nursery.

Kiera's face was red and her face was tear-stained.

"What's wrong?" Maddie asked, gingerly picking up her daughter. "Hmmm?"

Kiera let out a choked sob.

Maddie patted her back in a comforting fashion. "Baby, it's okay. Mummy's here."

Kiera hiccupped as Maddie sat down with her.

"It's okay, sweetheart," Maddie whispered.

The infant rested her head on Maddie's shoulder, her breathing growing steady.

"I missed you today," Maddie whispered. She'd had to drop off the baby at Nana's today and the entire day she'd felt as if a part of her was missing. It reminded her of how her mother must have felt that summer that she'd had to leave her and RJ at Nana's the first couple of weeks at Hillsdale.

Maddie remembered how much fun she'd had at the Burrow, but she had been ecstatic when she and RJ finally joined the rest of their family at the resort.

The first night, she'd not wanted to go to sleep, afraid she'd miss something. The next morning, she was the one who woke everyone up because she wanted to see this big lake that her brothers and sisters had been raving about.

Maddie crept into her parents room and pulled at their covers. "DADDY!" she shouted at the top of her lungs.

"Where's the food?" Ron asked, jerking out of sleeping and sitting straight up.

"No food!" Maddie exclaimed. "Swimming!"

Luna rubbed at her eyes and sat up in bed. "Madeline, sweetheart, it's still early. Your brothers and sisters are still asleep."

"No, we're not," Darla said grumpily from the doorway. "I think they heard her in Australia."

"Darla!" Maddie jumped up and down.

"Hey, Mad Dog," Darla said smiling despite how tired she was.

"I missed you," Maddie ran over to her sister.

"I missed you too," Darla said giving her a hug. "It's been way too quiet."

"Daddy," Drew stalked into the room. "Jon's in the loo and he won't come out and I really, really have to go!"

Ron groaned. "I guess everyone's up."

"Including RJ," Jon said coming up behind his sisters.

"Thank Merlin!" Drew exclaimed hurrying off to the bathroom.

"Jon!" Maddie squealed. "Hold me!"

Jon laughed as he swung his baby sister into the air.

Maddie giggled. "Do you think that mean lady will be back?"

"Your Aunt Ginny will probably not be back," Luna said trying to not get angry as she thought about how horribly Ginny had treated Molly last night.

"Good," Maddie said. "She was MEAN!"

"What'd you think of Nick?" Jon asked her.

Maddie giggled again and buried her face in Jon's shoulder.

"He's so hot," Darla said. "It's a shame we're related to him."

Ron looked at his daughter. "Hot? Darla...."

"What?" Darla asked.

"I don't know if I like you calling boys 'hot'," Ron grumbled, getting out of bed.

"Ronald," Luna patted his arm.

"Daddy, you are so not cool," Darla said rolling her eyes as she left the room.

Maddie slid down from Jon's arms. "Daddy, it's okay if you're not cool."

Luna stifled a laugh.

"Thank you, baby," Ron said opening up his arms. Maddie ran into them and gave him a big hug. "Did I tell you how much I missed you, baby?"

"Lots and lots!" Maddie nodded.

"I'm glad to have all of you back under the same roof," Luna said fondly. "I love all of you so much."

"I love you too," Maddie scrambled over to her.

Luna grinned at her. "How about I help you get ready? We'll eat breakfast and then head on down to the lake and you'll get to see your Uncle Harry and Aunt Hermione..."

"And Ethan?" Maddie asked.

"Yes," Luna smiled knowingly. "Come on, sweetheart."

"I'll get the baby," Ron said.

"RJ missed you too, Daddy," Maddie informed him.

"Dad, RJ doesn't look too good," Josh said carrying his baby brother into the room. "His forehead feels hot and he sounds congested."

Ron set Maddie down. "Let me see."

Josh gingerly handed the baby over to his father.

Ron frowned. "He does feel warm, Luna."

Luna touched his forehead with her palm. "Oh, my poor little boy..."

Maddie frowned. "Does this mean we're not going swimming?"

"I don't know, sweetheart," Luna said.

"Do you need me to do anything?" Josh asked.

"Would you get me a cold rag?" Luna asked.

"Sure, Mum," Josh replied.

RJ let out a choked whimper.

Luna sat down with him. "It's going to be okay."

Maddie sat down beside them. "He was good the entire time at Nana's."

"How about you?" Ron asked.

Maddie nodded. "We helped Nana with the gnomes!"

"How fun," Luna said, smoothing RJ's red hair back.

"Come on, RJ," Maddie said touching her baby brother's arm. "Don't you want to go swimming?"

"Maddie," Ron said. "He's not feeling good."

Maddie frowned. "Oh."

"Let's just see how he feels in a few hours, okay?" Luna asked.

"Okay," Maddie said.

"I can stay here with him while you lot go to breakfast," Ron suggested. "As long as you bring me back some waffles."

"I will," Maddie promised.

"That's my girl," Ron grinned at her. "Come on. I'll help you get dressed while your mum takes care of the baby."

"Okay," Maddie took her father's hand.

"Even if we don't go to the lake today, we can always go tomorrow," Ron told her.

"Promise?" Maddie asked.

"I promise," Ron said following her into the bedroom she was sharing with RJ. "So, what do you want to wear for your big Hillsdale debut, Miss Madeline?"

"A dress," Maddie decided.

Ron smiled. "Okay...why don't you pick one out?"

"This one," Maddie pointed.

"The blue one with the flowers?" Ron asked.

"Yes," Maddie nodded. "It's pretty."

"You're going to the prettiest four year old at Hillsdale," Ron said smiling at her.

Maddie giggled. "I know!"

"Your Nana said that you were talking about Ethan a lot," Ron commented.

Maddie blushed. "Just a little."

"Just a little, eh?" Ron teased.

"Daddy!" Maddie turned even redder.

Ron laughed. "I'm only teasing. I bet he's going to be happy to see you."

"I just want to have fun," Maddie insisted.

"You're going to have a blast," Ron told her. "Especially when I take you into town. There's this really great toy shop and a ice cream parlour that has the best sundaes in the entire world."

Maddie perked up. "Ice cream?"

Ron helped her into the dress. "Yes, you can get hot fudge, caramel, butterscotch, strawberry..."

"All of them!" Maddie said happily.

"That's my girl," Ron said. "We'll have to try every single thing they have before we go home."

"Okay," Maddie agreed, throwing her arms around him.

Ron hugged her tightly. "I'm so glad you and your brother are finally here, Maddie."

"Me too," Maddie nodded.

Josh, Jon, Drew and Darla walked into the room.

"Mum said we could go ahead and take her," Josh said. "She's going to join us after she gets dressed."

"All right," Ron agreed. "Remember my waffles. And a few muffins. And if they have bacon, and some sausage--"

Josh laughed. "Good thing there's so many of us. We can all bring back something for you."

"And I won't eat it," Maddie said.

"Come on, Mad Dog," Jon said taking her hand. "Wait until you see the restaurant."

Maddie smiled at her brother. "Good cause I'm sooooo hungry!"

Jon laughed. "Me too."

"He just wants to see Allison Longbottom," Drew said in a sing-song voice. "That's why he's in such a hurry..."

"Shut up Drew." Jon turned red.

"And Josh wants to see Julie," Darla giggled. "Julie, Julie, Julie..."

"Shut up Darla," it was Josh's turn to redden. "You two have no idea what you're talking about."

Darla and Drew giggled even harder.

"Drew, Darla," Ron called after them. "Behave. Don't mention your brother's crush on Julie."

"Dad!" Josh exclaimed.

The twin girls giggled. "Okay Dad!" they chorused.

"Come on, Maddie," Jon said tugging on his little sister's hand. "You're the favourite sister right now."

"Yay!" Maddie said happily.

The six Weasley children walked into the restaurant and Maddie felt her stomach tighten when she saw Ethan Potter sitting with his parents and older sister.

"ETHAN!" she shouted.

Ethan turned. "Hi."

"I thought you were going to come and see me," Maddie said excitedly. "We just got here yesterday!"

Ethan ignored her.

"Maddie, you look gorgeous," Julie said smiling at the little girl.

"Hi Julie!" Maddie said excitedly. "Are you here with Nick?"

Julie blushed. "Um, no, actually I'm not. "

"Why?" Maddie asked.

"I reckon he's with his mother," Julie said looking down at her plate.

"I don't like her," Maddie said bluntly.

"I can't believe she's a Weasley," Jon commented as he sat down.

"Not anymore," Julie muttered.

Maddie sat down beside Ethan. "Did you see her, Ethan? She's scary."

"No," Ethan replied, scooting away.

"Ethan James," Hermione warned.

"What?" Ethan asked.

Hermione just shook her head. and mouthed the words "Be nice" to him.

"I am," Ethan said.

"Where's your little brother?" Harry asked. "And Ron and Luna?"

"He's sick," Maddie reported.

"Oh," Hermione replied. "I'm sorry to hear that. "

"He'll be okay, Aunt Hermione," Josh said. "It's probably just a cold."

"Good," Hermione nodded.

"Oooh," Maddie said looking at Ethan's plate. "Can I have a piece of your bacon?"

"No way!" Ethan said.

Maddie looked at him. "Please?"

Ethan sighed. "I guess..."

"Thanks," Maddie beamed at him.

Ethan cracked a small smile. "Sure."

"Food always looks better on your plate," Maddie said taking a piece of bacon from him.

"What?" Ethan asked.

"Food always looks better on your plate," Maddie repeated happily.

"Why?"

Maddie giggled. "I don't know! Just 'cause."

Drew giggled. "It's cause she thinks you're cute."

Ethan turned as red as a tomato. "Mum!"

"Ethan, relax," Hermione said mildly.

"Why don't you tell Maddie about how great swimmer you've become?" Julie suggested.

"I'm not that great," Ethan muttered.

"He's just being modest," Julie said proudly. "He's doing really well."

"Jules," Ethan glared at his sister.

"I can't wait to go swimming," Maddie said. "We can't go today because of RJ, though."

"Well we're going later," Ethan informed her.

"Oh," Maddie said, disappointed that she wouldn't be able to go. But, she also didn't want to leave her brother when he was feeling bad. He always liked it when she was close and she wanted to make him feel better.

Ethan turned away and began eating his breakfast quickly. "Come on Mummy," he said.

"Ethan," Hermione said looking sternly at him. "Slow down."

"I'm hungry," Ethan said taking a huge bite of his muffin.

"Me too," Maddie said picking up her menu. "Joshie, I can't read this!"

"I'll help you Mad Dog," Josh said.

"Thanks," Maddie beamed at him.

Josh moved over and sat beside Maddie. "Come here." Maddie sat on his lap and looked at the menu.

"They have muffins," Josh told her. "The blueberry ones are really good, but I know that you love the chocolate chip ones the best."

"Chocolate chip," Maddie nodded. "Two of them. And waffles for Daddy."

Josh grinned. "You've got it."

"I want some pancakes too, okay?" Maddie asked her brother.

"Okay," Josh nodded. "Do you want some orange juice, too?"

Maddie nodded. "Thanks Joshie!"

"That's a lot of food," Ethan commented. "You're only four."

"My daddy said I have a bottomless stomach," Maddie announced proudly.

"Kind of like Uncle Ron," Ethan said thoughtfully.

Maddie giggled. "Yup!"

Luna joined them a few minutes later.

"How's RJ?" Hermione asked.

"He'll be okay," Luna said. "I think we just need to keep him quiet for today.”

"Tomorrow I can go swimming," Maddie said looking adoringly at Ethan.

"I think we're going to town tomorrow," Ethan replied.

"Oooh," Maddie said. "To the toy shop and the ice cream parlour?"

"Yeah," Ethan nodded.

"Have you been there a lot?" Maddie asked curiously.

"A few times," Ethan shrugged.

"We practically had to drag him out of there yesterday," Hermione told the little girl.

"I love the ice cream," Maddie said. "Chocolate is my favourite."

"That's Ethan's favourite, too," Hermione said.

"Not really," Ethan said, wishing his mother would stop trying to make him and Maddie friends. It wasn't going to happen.

"You love it there," Julie pointed out.

"Jules," Ethan hissed.

"He loves the mint chocolate chip," Julie told Maddie.

"I've never had that," Maddie said. "But I love chocolate chip..." Her voice trailed off as she closed her eyes and pictured herself in a pretty white dress. She was as old as Julie and she was walking toward a grown-up Ethan. "Ooooooooh!"

"What's wrong, baby?" Luna asked.

"Nothing," Maddie replied, a dazed expression on her face.

"You sure?" Luna asked. "I hope you don't have a fever like RJ..."

"I'm not sick," Maddie reassured her. "I'm--I'm really happy!"

Luna smiled. "That's good, baby."

Ethan turned in his chair to see Maddie beaming at him. "What?"

Maddie giggled and turned away.

Ethan rolled his eyes.

"Be nice," Hermione told him.

"But, Mum----" Ethan protested.

"Ethan," Harry warned.

"Okay," Ethan grumbled.

"She just wants to be your friend, Little Man," Harry whispered to his son. "It wouldn't hurt you to be nice."

"She keeps looking at me weird," Ethan grumbled.

"Just be nice to her," Harry said. "That's all I'm asking."

"Fine," Ethan rolled his eyes.

"Do you want to play later?" Maddie asked him.

"I'm going swimming, remember?" Ethan asked.

"I know," Maddie said. "But after..."

"Nick said he'd play with me," Ethan replied.

"He also told me that he wants to get to know his newest cousins," Julie said.

"Like me!" Maddie said brightly.

Julie smiled at her. "You really liked him, didn't you?"

Maddie nodded.

"He really liked meeting you too," Julie said. "And I know he can't wait to get to know all of you better."

"Darla said he was hot," Maddie said. "What does that mean?"

Darla turned bright red. "Maddie!"

"You said that this morning," Maddie replied.

Darla looked at Julie. "I just---I meant that he was cute. That's all."

Jon guffawed. "Sure, Dar."

"Thanks, Maddie," Darla grumbled.

"What did I do?" Maddie asked.

"Told something you weren't supposed to," Drew said gently. "If a girl fancies a bloke, you shouldn't say anything about it...."

"You shouldn't?" Maddie asked.

"Don't tell her rubbish like that," Jon said. "If a girl fancies a bloke, she should tell him."

"She should?" Maddie was confused.

"No," Drew and Darla said in unison.

"What do you guys know?" Jon asked his sisters. "You're only ten."

"Shut up, Jon," Darla said throwing a piece of her muffin at him.

"Thank you," Jon caught it and popped it into his mouth.

Maddie giggled. "Way to go, Jon!"

"Thanks Mad Dog," Jon grinned at her.

"You're supposed to be on our side," Drew said to Maddie. "The Weasley girls stick together."

"Oh," Maddie said. "Okay Drew."

"If she wants to take our side, let her," Jon said. "Right, Josh?"

Josh didn't reply. He was too busy looking at Julie.

"Josh," Jon said waving his hand in front of his brother.

"What?" Josh snapped.

"Drew and Dar are trying to convince Maddie to go with them just because they're girls," Jon said.

"So what?" Josh asked.

Darla giggled. "Jon, you're out of luck. The only one you can depend on is RJ and he only knows two words right now."

"Whatever, Dar." Jon said as he saw the Longbottoms enter the restaurant.

"Chiaki!" Maddie squealed sliding out of her seat and running toward the older girl.

"Hey you," Chiaki swung her up.

"I missed you!" Maddie said hugging her around the neck. She caught sight of Allison and Frankie over Chiaki's shoulder. "Hiya, Frankie!"

"I bet she'll be able to date before I will," Frankie said looking pointedly at her father.

"Date?" Maddie asked.

"It's when two people who fancy each other go out together," Chiaki explained. "Like to the movies or to eat."

"Francesca, I heard this all last night," Neville said in exasperation. "Please drop it."

"Hey Al," Jon said. "I uh... I saved you a seat."

"Thanks," Allison said smiling at him. "I'm starving and Frankie's about to drive Chi and me insane."

"I've got an extra waffle here if you want it." Jon pushed his plate to her.

Drew and Darla giggled.

"Thanks," Allison said. "That's really nice of you Jon."

"It's nothing," Jon said smiling at her.

"Guess what?" Maddie asked Chiaki in a whisper.

"What?" Chiaki leaned in.

"I'm going to marry Ethan," Maddie whispered happily.

"Are you now?" Chiaki was amused. "What does he think about that?"

"I haven't told him," Maddie whispered.

"How come?" Chiaki asked.

Maddie shrugged. "Don't know."

"You'll tell him when you're ready," Chiaki smoothed the little girl's curly hair back.

Maddie nodded. "I will, Chi. I promise."

"And you see, baby girl?" Maddie asked her daughter. "I did marry him..."

Kiera cooed happily up at her mother.

Maddie laughed. "It took your Daddy awhile, but he finally caught on and to this day, he still lets me steal things off of his plate."

Ethan yawned loudly from the doorway. "What's going on in here?"

"Kiera was crying," Maddie replied. "So, I was sitting with her and telling her a story."

"About what?" Ethan asked.

"Hillsdale," Maddie replied. "When you treated me like I had the plague."

"Oh yeah," Ethan grinned sheepishly as he rumpled his messy hair.

Maddie laughed. "But those days are long gone."

"Quite so," Ethan agreed as he leaned over and made a face at his daughter. "Hey you."

"I think she may be teething," Maddie said thoughtfully.

"You think?" Ethan asked.

Maddie nodded. "She's about that age."

"Perhaps you're right," Ethan made another face at Kiera.

Kiera held out her hand toward her father.

Ethan grinned as she wrapped her hand around his index finger.

Maddie smiled at her husband. "She loves her Daddy."

"She's got it backwards," Ethan replied. "I'm the one wrapped around her little finger."

Maddie laughed. "She knows that."

"Let me take her," Ethan said.

"Okay," Maddie said gently handing the baby to him.

Ethan kissed Kiera's forehead. "That's my girl."

"What a week it's been," Maddie said softly.

"Crazy," he agreed.

"I think we should bring Kiera by to see your sister tomorrow," Maddie said. "I think it would do wonders for Saffy."

"Sure," Ethan said. "I think she'd like that a lot."

"I wish I could do more for her," Maddie said softly.

"She's got Andrew," Ethan said, patting Kiera on the back comfortingly. "I think that he's the best thing for her."

Maddie nodded. "She's been through so much."

Ethan nodded and looked at his daughter. "She's asleep," he whispered.

Maddie grinned. "Way to go," she whispered.

Ethan carefully laid her in the crib.

Maddie rested her head on Ethan's shoulder as they watched their daughter sleep.

"She's incredible," Ethan said after a moment.

"She is," Maddie whispered. "Absolutely."

"Come on," Ethan reached for her hand.

Maddie took his hand and gave it a squeeze. "You know that the next time, she cries, it's your turn. None of that pretending you can't hear it."

"I was asleep," Ethan said.

"Uh-huh," Maddie said nudging him.

"I don't mind getting up with her," Ethan slid his arms around her.

"Except when you're dead on your feet," Maddie teased.

Ethan nudged her ear. "Very funny, Madeline."

Maddie giggled. "And the next time she gets up, she's probably need her nappy changed."

"You always did like to save the rough jobs for me," Ethan cracked.

Maddie poked him. "You've figured me out."

"I know you too well," Ethan said smugly.

Maddie took off her dressing gown and slid back into bed. "Better than anyone."

Ethan climbed back in beside her.

"What time do you have to be back in the office tomorrow?" Maddie asked him.

"Nine," he answered. "You?"

"Nine," Maddie replied. "Which is so much better than six."

"Yes it is," he said, pulling her closer.

"Do you ever think about going back to Hillsdale?" Maddie asked him thoughtfully.

"Hillsdale?" Ethan asked. "Not really... why?"

"I was telling Kiera that old story," Maddie replied. "And I'd like to bring her there someday."

"Sure," Ethan agreed. "Maybe once she's older."

Maddie smiled. “It’s been such a big place for all of us, you know?"

"I don't really remember much of it, to be honest," Ethan said.

"Which is why we should go back," Maddie said smiling at him. "It's where our parents fell in love..."

"Where you decided you were going to marry me," Ethan said. "I remember THAT much."

Maddie giggled. "I saw it, Ethan."

"Yeah, and as a six year old it horrified me," Ethan grinned at her. "As a twenty year old, I got excited about it."

Maddie kissed him. "All part of plan..."

"Sneaky," Ethan said affectionately.

"I love you," Maddie said happily.

"I love you too," Ethan murmured huskily. "Always, Mads."

"Always," Maddie echoed.

251. 251

Authors’ note: We wanted to thank those of you who let us know about someone posting our story on ff.net. We appreciate you all looking out for us! We were able to spend the last week together and had the chance to meet the author of the Twilight series of books---Stephenie Meyer. We are still on a high from that! Heaven and I actually got the chance to watch Dirty Dancing together until a big storm interrupted it! And then we saw a bus advertising the Dirty Dancing musical. So, this universe will not leave us alone! We hope you enjoy the latest chapter!

"This is really nice of you, Saffy," Drew said as she helped set up Chloe's toys in the sitting room. Saffron had volunteered to babysit for them at the Minister's mansion while Brian and Drew went out to dinner.

Brian grinned. "I bet we're the only parents in the history of the world who've had a high-paid athlete babysit for them."

Saffron laughed. "Well, I still expect to get paid and my rates have gone up significantly.”

"I'll take out a second job," Brian joked.

"You guys are doing me a favour," Saffron said. "I've been meaning to get some quality time with my favourite two and a half year old and now I've got her all to myself."

"Sassy and me!" Chloe bounced happily.

Drew knelt down in front of her daughter. "You promise you'll be really sweet and listen to whatever Sassy says, right? And when she tells you it's time for bed, it's time for bed."

Chloe nodded. "Yes!"

"We'll be fine," Saffron promised. "I've made some lasagne for us and I have some of Greta's chocolate chip biscuits...."

"She's not going to want to go home," Drew said kissing her daughter on the cheek. "I love you, munchkin."

"Love Mummy too," Chloe said.

"We shouldn't be too late," Brian promised.

"Whenever you get back," Saffron said. "Take your time."

"Bye, Daddy!" Chloe waved at him. "Hug!"

Brian swung his daughter into the air. "Anything for my munchkin."

Chloe giggled. "Daddy!"

"See you two later," Drew waved.

Saffron walked them to the door with Chloe. After another round of hugs, Brian and Drew were off.

"Okay," Saffron said grinning mischievously at the little girl. "What do we want to do first?"

"Um... play with doggy?" Chloe asked.

Saffron giggled. "Okay. Let's see if we can get him to come here. Puddles!"

"Come here doggy!" Chloe opened her arms.

Puddles scampered into the sitting room and barked.

Chloe clapped her hands together. "He came!"

"He's a good boy," Saffron rubbed her dog's ears.

"I want doggy, too," Chloe said frowning.

"You can pretend that Puddles is yours tonight," Saffron told her.

"Really?" Chloe asked.

"While you're here," Saffron nodded.

Chloe knelt down and put her arms around Puddles. "Love Doggy."

"He really loves it when you scratch behind his ears," Saffron told her.

"Kay," Chloe did as Saffron showed her and giggled when Puddles licked her hand.

Saffron laughed. "I told you. That gets him every time."

"Love Sassy too," Chloe looked up at her.

Saffron smiled at her. "I love you too, Chloe. Very much."

"Can we play dress up?" Chloe asked.

"Dress up?" Saffron pretended to think this over. "I don't know...I mean I do have all those clothes..."

"Please?" Chloe clapped her hands together.

"Okay," Saffron grinned. "Let's get be-you-ti-ful..."

"Yay!" Chloe said excitedly.

Saffron had expected that Chloe would want to play dress up so she'd already set her old trunk downstairs. "We can have a tea party when we're all gussied up."

"Tea party?" Chloe asked, reaching for her hand.

"Oh yes," Saffron said leading her over to the trunk. "A very posh tea party for Princess Chloe and her lady-in-waiting, Saffron Potter."

Chloe nodded. "I love being a princess!"

"I do too," Saffron said digging into the trunk and pulling out some of her old dresses. She'd played dress up with these when she was a girl. The doorbell rang and she looked at the little girl. "I'll be right back. You pick out some things, okay?"

"Okay," Chloe said, digging into the clothing.

Saffron hurried to the door. When she opened it, she was surprised to see the person that greeted her. "Andrew?"

"Hey," Andrew said with a grin.

"What are you doing here?" Saffron asked. "I told you I was babysitting..."

"I know," Andrew said. "But I thought I'd just stop by and see how you're doing."

Saffron grinned. "Well, you're just in time. Chloe and I were about to play dress-up."

Andrew raised an eyebrow. "Dress up?"

"Dress-up," Saffron grinned taking his hand and leading him to the sitting room.

"Hi!" Chloe said brightly.

"Hey, Chloe," Andrew said grinning at her. "What are you up to?"

"Princess," Chloe held up a dress

"Don't forget your crown," Saffron told her. "There should be a couple of them in there, Chloe."

"Ooooh," Chloe said happily.

"Girls love tiaras," Saffron said smiling as she watched Chloe.

Andrew slid an arm around her. "How are you?"

"I'm good," Saffron said leaning against him. "I'm sure RJ told you I went to practise."

Andrew nodded. "I'm proud of you, Saf."

"Life goes on, right?" Saffron asked.

"Right," Andrew kissed the side of her head.

"I made some lasagne," Saffron said. "If you'd like to stay..."

"Only if Chloe says so," Andrew replied.

"Chloe?" Saffron called out to her.

"What?" Chloe looked up, two tiaras in her hands.

"Would you mind if Andrew joined us for dinner?" Saffron asked her.

"Is he a prince?" Chloe asked.

Saffron grinned when she looked at her boyfriend. "I like to think so."

"He can stay," Chloe nodded.

Andrew grinned. "Thanks, Chloe."

"We need to get the princess dressed," Saffron knelt down.

Chloe nodded. "Can I wear the pink dress?"

"Of course you can," Saffron helped her change into it.

Chloe twirled around. "Pretty?"

"You are beautiful," Saffron said with a grin.

Chloe beamed as Saffron set the tiara on top of her head.

"Look at that," Andrew said. "The two most gorgeous girls in the world!"

Chloe giggled. "Prin-cess!"

"That's right," Saffron gave her a kiss on the cheek. "Shall we have tea, Your Highness?"

"Yes," Chloe answered excitedly.

"Your throne?" Andrew pulled out the chair.

"Oooh," Chloe said happily.

Saffron poured some tea into Chloe's little cup. She had made it earlier and sweetened it a lot with milk and sugar.

"Thank you," Chloe said politely.

"You're welcome, Your Highness," Saffron bowed her head.

"That's all," Chloe said waving her hand.

Saffron giggled and backed away to stand next to Andrew.

"Isn't she the sweetest?" Saffron whispered.

"She's really cute," Andrew replied softly.

"If I have children someday, I hope they're just like her," Saffron said thoughtfully.

"They'll be gorgeous and sweet, just like you," Andrew told her.

Saffron grinned. "Probably just as bratty, too, right?"

"You're not bratty," he nudged her.

"Tell that to RJ and Ethan," Saffron told him.

"They're biased," Andrew replied.

"They live to give me a hard time is what they are," Saffron said. She was glad that he'd stopped by. These last few days had been hard on her, but she'd made it through, due in large part to his support.

"They do it with love in their eyes," Andrew teased.

"Uh-huh," Saffron laughed. She looked at the little red haired girl who had just finished her tea. "I know this is a little unconventional for a tea party, but is the princess ready for her dinner?"

"Yes," Chloe nodded.

"Okay then," Saffron said. "I'll be right back. You stay here with Andrew, Chloe."

Chloe nodded. "Are you going to tell me a story?"

Andrew sat down across from her. "A story?"

Chloe nodded. "Cause I'm the princess!"

Andrew looked thoughtfully at the little girl who wore an expectant expression on her face. "Well, let's see. Once upon a time, there was this princess..."

"Her name was Chloe," the redhead nodded.

Andrew grinned. "Princess Chloe lived in a castle that was surrounded by a big moat and that was protected by a fire-breathing dragon..."

"Ooooh," Chloe breathed, her eyes wide.

"And the poor princess wanted to go outside and be in the fresh air and see unicorns," Andrew continued. "But she was stuck in the tallest tower atop the castle."

"Why?" Chloe asked.

"Um," Andrew said. "Her...her father wanted to keep her safe and protected so he put up the big moat and made the dragon protect the grounds."

"Daddy did THAT?" Chloe seemed impressed.

Andrew nodded. "Yes, he did. But, all Princess Chloe wanted was to go to the latest Princess Club meeting..."

Chloe giggled and clapped her hands.

"Well," Andrew said. "There were three princes who decided they were going to help save the princess and free her from the tower so she could see her friends. The first prince was Prince RJ," Andrew said. "And he came up to the castle with his sword intent on rescuing the princess..."

"Ooooh," Chloe nodded. "Who else?"

"The second prince was Prince Ronald," Andrew said. "Now, he was older, but he was also the princess' grandfather and he wanted to save the princess, too. He arrived with a bow and arrow..."

Chloe was captivated by the tale and didn't even notice Saffron come back in the room with a tray.

"And the third prince was Prince Andrew," Andrew said with a grin. "He was handsome, charming, and quite daring..."

"Did he win?" Chloe asked.

"Well, Prince RJ arrived first and he ran at the dragon, but the dragon bared his teeth and it scared Prince RJ so bad, he ran screaming back into the forest..."

Chloe laughed. "Scaredy cat!" Saffron laughed too as she set their plates down.

"Well, Prince Ronald went next," Andrew continued. "And he was determined he would be the one who would get through and save the princess. But, just as he made a run toward the moat, he heard the dinner bell ringing and he took off to get his dinner before Princess Emma ate it all..."

"Em!" Chloe nodded.

Andrew laughed. "Yes...so, the only hope for Princess Chloe was Prince Andrew..."

"What did he do?" Chloe asked, climbing into his lap.

"Well, he picked up the sword that RJ had dropped in his rush to run away," Andrew said. "And he braved the moat...and battled the dragon, and he gallantly rescued the grateful princess."

"Yay!" Chloe clapped her hands.

"And Princess Chloe gave Prince Andrew a big hug and thanked him for saving her," Andrew continued. "And she was able to make the meeting and see her princess friends. And they lived happily, ever after..."

"Good story!" Chloe said, giving him a hug.

Saffron grinned. "I'm impressed myself."

"One of my secret talents," Andrew joked.

"I hope you're both hungry," Saffron said. "This is my mum's recipe."

"If you made it, I'm sure it's fantastic," he assured her.

"Thank you," Saffron said. "Tuck in."

"Yummy," Chloe declared after one bite.

Saffron grinned at her. "I'm glad you like it."

"Sassy good cook," Chloe said, digging in with her little fork.

"Sassy is a great cook," Andrew agreed looking at his girlfriend. She was much more like herself tonight than she'd been in quite some time.

"I definitely inherited that from my dad," Saffron said with a grin.

"Where are your folks tonight?" Andrew asked.

"They went out for dinner," Saffron said.

"Like Mummy and Daddy," Chloe said.

"That's right smart girl," Saffron replied.

Chloe beamed at her. "Love Sassy."

"Love Chloe," Saffron returned.

"At the risk of sounding like RJ," Andrew said. "Do you mind if I have a second helping, Saf?"

"Have as much as you want," Saffron said. "I already put some aside for my parents."

"Can I get you ladies anything?" Andrew asked.

"I think the princess here could use a bit more juice," Saffron said.

"Yes, please," Chloe said politely.

"Coming right up, your highness," Andrew said.

Chloe giggled and watched him go. "Prince."

"He is," Saffron said fondly.

"Tells good stories, too," Chloe said before taking another bite of her lasagne.

"He sure does," Saffron agreed.

Chloe giggled. "You love him lots?"

"I do," Saffron said with a grin.

Chloe giggled. "I knew it!"

"You did, did you?" Saffron asked, tickling her.

Chloe giggled even harder. "Sassy!"

"Chloe!" Saffron laughed. "Chloe!"

Andrew stood in the doorway watching them. He couldn't help the smile that spread across his face as he looked at his girlfriend having a good time.

"No!" Chloe squealed as Saffron wiggled her fingers again.

"Here comes the tickle monster," Saffron cackled.

"No tickle monster!" Chloe laughed.

"You can't stop the tickle monster," Saffron laughed.

"Help!" Chloe said, spotting Andrew. "Prince!"

Andrew set his plate and Chloe's juice down on the table just before the little girl launched herself at him.

"Gotcha," Andrew swung her around.

"Do you really think he can stop the Tickle Monster?" Saffron asked.

"Yes," Chloe said.

"He's no match for me," Saffron said advancing toward them.

"No!!!" Chloe squealed, burying her face in Andrew's shoulder.

Andrew held Chloe protectively to him. "She's not going to get us, Chloe!"

"Save the princess!" Chloe said.

Saffron let out her best imitation of an evil laugh as she approached the two of them. "The only thing that can stop me is...chocolate chip biscuits...."

"Where?" Chloe peeked at her.

"Quick," Andrew said carrying her into the kitchen. "I saw them on the counter."

"There!" Chloe grabbed one.

Saffron took the biscuit from Chloe and bit into it. "Yummy..."

"Tickle monster gone?" Chloe asked.

"All gone," Saffron said with a grin. "Biscuits work every single time."

"Yay," Chloe said, reaching for her.

Saffron took her and gave her a hug. "I bet you'd like one of them, too, eh?"

"Two," Chloe said impishly.

"Since you've been such a big girl, I think that can be arranged," Saffron said grabbing the plate of biscuits with her free hand.

"And two for Prince," Chloe said.

"Absolutely," Saffron agreed. "Because he's been a very good boy, too."

"Thanks," Andrew said with a grin.

The three of them settled back down at the table where Chloe and Saffy ate biscuits and Andrew finished off his second helping of lasagne.

"That was good!" Chloe said, patting her little stomach.

"Yes, it was," Saffron said.

"I can clean up if you want to finish dress up," Andrew offered.

"You don't mind?" Saffron asked.

"Not at all," Andrew said standing up and gathering the plates. "I'll join you guys in a minute, okay?"

"We'll just be getting the princess into her royal pyjamas," Saffron said.

"Okay," Andrew laughed. "I'll leave you to it."

"Come on, your highness," Saffron bowed.

Chloe giggled and took Saffron's hand.

Saffron busied herself with getting Chloe into her pyjamas and cleaning up the ballroom.

Chloe stifled a yawn as she helped Saffron gather up her toys.

"Are you tired, Chloe?" Saffron asked. "You can sleep in my bed if you want."

Chloe shook her head. "No sleepy."

"Are you sure?" Saffron asked.

Chloe yawned. "Mmmhmm."

Saffron hid her smile. "Okay then."

Chloe grabbed her teddy bear and hugged him to her. "Bear sleepy."

"How about we go watch a movie and if your bear wants to kip, he can?" Saffron suggested.

Chloe thought this over. "Okay."

Saffron picked the little girl up. "Did you have fun tonight?"

Chloe nodded. "Bestest time."

"Same here," Saffron kissed her cheek.

Chloe rested her head on Saffron's shoulder.

Andrew met them in the hall. "What's up?"

"We were going to watch a movie," Saffron told him. "Chloe says she's not sleepy, but the bear is and he might not make it through the whole movie."

"I see," Andrew nodded. "What will we be watching?"

"Lion!" Chloe exclaimed.

"The Lion King?" Saffron asked. "I'll have to see if I still have that one."

"Kay," Chloe said as Saffron set her down on the sofa.

"We're in luck," Andrew pulled it off the shelf.

"Yay," Chloe said happily.

"Here's your royal blanket," Saffron said

Chloe giggled. "Thanks!"

Andrew put the movie on then sat down next to his girlfriend on the sofa.

Saffron reached for his hand. "Thank you."

"For what?" he asked.

"For being so sweet," Saffron whispered.

Andrew kissed the side of her head. "I'll do anything to keep that smile on your face."

Saffron rested her head on his shoulder. "Having you here helps more than anything."

Andrew held her closer. "Anytime you need me...."

"I know," Saffron said softly.

"Look," Andrew nudged her. "She's already out."

Saffron turned to see Chloe fast asleep clutching her teddy bear. "She didn't even make it through the 'Circle of Life'," Saffron whispered.

Andrew laughed. "Sometimes I don't either," he kidded.

Saffron laughed, too. "We can turn it off, if you want."

"Doesn't matter," Andrew said. "I'm not here to watch a movie."

Saffron turned to look at him. "Andrew..."

Andrew gave her a soft kiss.

"You've been amazing," Saffron said softly. "Better than I deserve."

"You deserve nothing but the best," Andrew told her.

"I love you," Saffron said as tears welled up in her eyes.

"I love you too, Saf." he said, touching her cheek.

"I want to move on more than anything," Saffron said.

"You are," he said. "Just by living your life."

"With you," Saffron whispered.

"I'm not going anywhere," Andrew assured her. "Ever."

Saffron rested her forehead on his. She believed him. They'd been tested so much these last few months. If they could make it through this, there was nothing they couldn't face together. "You are perfect, you know that?"

"I'm perfect for you," he answered with a grin.

Saffron laughed. "No one else would probably put up with me."

"They're missing out," Andrew leaned back on the sofa.

"Yeah, yeah," Saffron said cuddling up next to him. "So...has RJ told you that he wants to ask Audrey to move in with him?"

"Yeah," Andrew said. "And I was thinking I need to find a place of my own."

"I could help you find a place," Saffron offered.

"I was sort of hoping you'd want to find a place for us together," Andrew confessed.

Saffron lifted her head to look at him. "What?"

"Just a thought," Andrew said. "If you don't want to, I'd understand."

Saffron shook her head. "No, it's not that."

"Oh..." Andrew replied.

Saffron smiled. "I'd love to live with you."

"You would?" he asked with a grin. "Really?"

"Yes," Saffron replied grinning back at him.

Andrew pulled her into a tight hug.

"We just have to tell my dad," Saffron said laughing.

"That should be interesting," Andrew replied.

"He won't hurt you," Saffron said. "...badly."

"There's a confidence booster," Andrew said dryly.

"He'll be okay," Saffron said laughing. "He knows you make me happy."

"I'll always make you happy," Andrew promised.

"Puddles and me," Saffron said. "We're a package deal."

"I'm fine with that," Andrew gave her another kiss.

Saffron grinned. "So, have you given any thought to where you might want to live?"

"Not really sure yet," he replied.

"It'll be fun to look," Saffron said thoughtfully. "I want a big library."

"Of course," Andrew grinned.

"And I might let you have a room of your own," Saffron teased. "Or at least...a little area to call your own."

"You're too generous," Andrew said dryly.

Saffron giggled. "Yes, well..."

"You let me know when you want to get started and we'll look," Andrew tightened his arm around her.

"How about this weekend?" Saffron asked. "We could look in the papers and check out the listings. Maybe visit with some estate agents..."

"Sure," he agreed.

Saffron rested her head on his chest. "I can't imagine what it will be like to live somewhere else. I've lived here all of my life."

"Really?" he asked.

Saffron nodded. "I know some people think this place is so big and dark, but it's home to me. It always has been. I've always felt safe here."

"I always thought this place was nice," Andrew said thoughtfully.

Saffron grinned. "One of the reasons I love you."

Andrew gave her a gentle kiss.

Saffron smiled and thought about a night in the future where she and Andrew could be sitting on their own sofa, cuddled up together, while their own daughter or son slept.

"Sassy?" Chloe asked sleepily.

Saffron turned and looked down at Chloe. "Yes, munchkin?"

"I want mummy," Chloe said.

"Come here," Saffron said taking the little girl in her arms. "Your mummy will be here soon. Don't be scared."

"Just want to see her," Chloe rubbed at her eyes.

Saffron smiled and hugged her tightly. "I could ring her on the phone if you want to talk to her."

Chloe nodded.

"Andrew?" Saffron asked. "Could you get the phone for me?"

"Sure thing," Andrew patted her leg and got up.

"I was the same way when I was little," Saffron said softly. "When my mummy and daddy used to go out and they'd leave me with Julie or Greta."

"I miss her," Chloe said. "And Daddy."

Saffron took the phone from Andrew and dialed Drew's mobile number. "Drew? Hey ...no, no, she's okay. She just wants to talk to you. Here she is..."

"Hi Mummy," Chloe said. "I'm fine."

"Are you being good for Sassy?" Drew asked.

"Yes," Chloe said. "Watching lions."

"Daddy and I aren't going to be much longer, munchkin," Drew told her. "Do you want to talk to Daddy?"

"Yes," Chloe nodded.

"Munchkin!" Brian exclaimed.

"Hi Daddy!" Chloe's entire face brightened.

"How's my favourite girl doing?" Brian asked.

"Good," Chloe said.

"Your mummy and I are doing well, too," Brian told her. "And we're saving you a big piece of cake, okay?"

"Cake?" Chloe asked.

Brian laughed. "Unless you don't want it..."

"I love cake," Chloe told him.

"You do?" Brian pretended to be surprised.

"Chocolate," Chloe told him.

"Double Chocolate Fudge," Brian said. "So you be good for Sassy and we'll be home soon, okay?"

"Okay," Chloe said. "I love you Daddy."

"Love you too," Brian said.

Chloe gave the phone back to Saffron. "Cake."

"They're bringing you dessert, are they?" Saffron grinned.

Chloe nodded. "yummy."

"I think she's feeling better," Saffron said to Andrew.

"You're good with her," Andrew said.

Saffron held Chloe close. "I love spending time with Chloe and her cousins."

"Casey has fun," Chloe said.

"Casey and Chloe," Andrew said sitting back down beside Saffron. "You two are going to be little heartbreakers..."

"What's that mean?" Chloe asked.

"That means that all the boys are going to love you when you grow up," Saffron said. "And your daddy is going to need a beater's bat to chase all the boys away..."

"Oh," Chloe replied.

"I was a lot like you when I was little," Saffron told Chloe.

"You were?" Chloe asked

Saffron nodded. "But I think you're a whole lot cuter and sweeter than I was."

"Never," Andrew joked.

Chloe giggled. "Sassy sweet."

"That’s right Chloe," Saffron smiled.

A half hour later, Chloe was asleep again and Andrew and Saffy were watching a cheesy movie on television.

Drew and Brian arrived just before midnight. "How'd she do?" Drew whispered to Saffron.

"She's fine," Saffron said. "Excited about her cake."

"Andrew," Brian said shaking the younger man's hand. "Good to see you."

"Hey Brian," Andrew greeted him. "Alright?"

"Great," Brian replied. "I hope Chloe wasn't too much for you two."

"Never," Saffron said. "I'll babysit for her anytime."

Brian knelt down and gently patted his sleeping daughter's arm. "Munchkin? Wake up, sweetheart."

"Daddy?" Chloe asked drowsily.

"Hey," Brian said softly. "Are you ready to go home?"

"Cake?" Chloe asked.

Brian laughed. "Your mummy's got it. We can have it when we get home. Okay?"

"Okay," Chloe wrapped her little arms around his neck.

Brian lifted her into his arms. "Can you thank Saffy for taking care of you?"

"Thank you Sassy," Chloe said. "I love you."

Saffy grinned and kissed the little girl's cheek. "I love you too, Chloe."

"We'll see you soon," Drew said. "Thanks again, Saffron."

"It was my pleasure," Saffron said giving Drew a hug. "Any time."

"Bye," Chloe said, her head on Brian's shoulder.

Saffron looked at Andrew when they were alone. "My parents will be back soon."

"I should probably go soon too," Andrew said. "I've got practise early."

"You're going to need it," Saffron joked.

"Very funny," Andrew circled his arms around her.

"I tease where I love, you know that," Saffron said grinning up at him.

"I do know that," Andrew nudged her neck with his nose.

Saffron giggled. "I love you, Andrew Kirke."

"I love you, Saffron Potter." he replied.

"Saffy?" Hermione's voice called out from the foyer.

"We're in here," Saffron called back.

Hermione and Harry came into the sitting room. "Oh," Hermione said. "I didn't realise you were here, Andrew."

"I stopped by to help Saffy with Chloe," Andrew explained. "Drew and Brian just picked her up."

"How was your dinner?" Saffron asked her parents.

"Lovely," Hermione nodded.

"You look gorgeous," Saffron said to her mother.

"Thanks baby," Hermione hugged her daughter.

"Mr. Potter," Andrew said nodding at her father.

"Hello Andrew," Harry replied. "How are you?"

Hermione laughed. "Andrew, you know you can call him 'Harry' by now. You're practically one of the family."

"She's right," Saffron leaned against her boyfriend.

"I don't know," Harry said. "I kind of like 'Mr. Potter'."

"Daddy," Saffron said.

"I'm only joking," Harry said with a grin.

Saffron wondered if they should tell her parents about their plans to move in together.

"Mum?" Saffron asked. "Dad? Do you remember what it was like when you first moved in together?"

"It was after we came back from Hillsdale," Hermione recalled.

"And Daddy found the cottage for you," Saffron said softly.

Harry smiled. "I'll never forget that."

"Me either," Hermione smiled at him. "It was a happy time. It felt so grown-up to get a place of our own and decorate it like we wanted..."

"That's what me and Andrew want to do," Saffron burst out.

Hermione looked at Saffron. "What?"

"We um... we want to move in together," Saffron didn't dare look at her father.

"RJ's thinking of asking his girlfriend to move in with him," Andrew said. "And I've wanted to get my own place for awhile now..."

"When did you decide this?" Harry asked.

"Just now," Saffron said, biting her lip.

"Not really spur-of-the moment," Andrew said hastily. "We don't even have a place yet."

"Hmm..." Harry replied.

"Daddy, you and mum did the same thing when you were our age," Saffron pointed out.

"I know," Harry replied.

"I can't imagine being here without you," Hermione said softly.

"I know," Saffron fidgeted. "But..."

"It will be awhile," Andrew tried to reassure them. "Like I said, we haven't even started to look for a place."

"I hope you'll take your time," Hermione said. "And find the right home."

"We will," Saffron promised. "And I hope you'll help us with the decorating."

Hermione hugged her youngest daughter to her. "I'm going to have empty nest without you here."

"I'll be around so much it'll be like I never left," Saffron said.

Hermione noticed that Harry hadn't said anything so she nudged him.

"You really want this?" Harry asked.

Saffron nodded.

"You know," Harry said looking at Andrew. "One of the hardest things I ever had to do was tell Robert Granger that Hermione and I were moving in together."

"What did he do?" Andrew asked nervously.

"He handled it well," Harry replied. "In that he didn't kill me..."

"That's good..." Andrew's voice trailed off.

"He even helped us move," Hermione said.

"You just keep my daughter happy," Harry said, looking directly at Andrew. "And we'll be fine."

"I will," Andrew promised.

"He makes me so, so happy," Saffron said.

"That's all we want," Harry said. "For you to be happy."

"Thanks Daddy," Saffron said softly.

"Thanks," Andrew said. "Mr.---Harry. Thank you, Harry."

Harry finally smiled and stuck his hand out.

Andrew shook his hand.

"We'll start checking the listings tomorrow," Hermione told her daughter.

Saffron smiled. "I'd like that."

"We'll find just the right place," Andrew agreed.

"With room for all my books," Saffron said happily.

Harry had to laugh. "Just like your mum."

Saffron laughed. "There are worst things to be than a bookworm."

"Quite so," Hermione nodded.

"I really should get going," Andrew said. "Early start tomorrow."

"Me too," Saffron said.

"Walk me out?" Andrew asked her.

"Of course," Saffron replied, taking his hand.

"Good night, Andrew," Hermione called after him.

"Good night," Andrew answered.

"I can't believe I blurted it out like that," Saffron whispered to him.

"I was kind of surprised too," Andrew told her.

"I don't know what came over me," Saffron said.

"You're unpredictable," Andrew teased.

Saffron laughed. "That's me."

Andrew kissed her hungrily.

Saffron was taken aback, but it didn't take her long to get into the moment. "Mmmm...."

"I love you," Andrew murmured.

"I love you too," Saffron said breathlessly.

"I'll ring you tomorrow after practise," Andrew tucked a lock of hair behind her ear.

"You'd better," Saffron said smiling at him.

He gave her another quick kiss.

"Night," Saffron said still in a daze from his first kiss. She walked back into the sitting room and smiled shyly at her mother.

"You're growing up too fast," Hermione said fondly.

Saffron laughed. "But I'll always be your baby, right?"

"Always," Hermione put an arm around her.

"Where's Daddy?" Saffron asked.

"He's in the kitchen," Hermione shook her head. "He ate like a pig at dinner, but is still hungry..."

Saffron laughed. "Sounds like Uncle Ron."

"He may as well be," Hermione replied.

"I think I'll go and tell him good night," Saffron said.

"I'll see you in the morning, love." Hermione said.

"Good night, Mum," Saffron said. She walked into the kitchen to see her father finishing off the biscuits she'd made. "Hey."

"Hi baby," Harry said.

"I wanted to tell you good night," Saffron said softly.

Harry turned to look at her.

"Is everything okay?" Saffron asked.

"You're just growing up too fast for my liking," Harry said. "And after everything you've gone through in the past months, it's just hard for me to let you go."

"Oh," Saffron said softly. "Daddy..."

"Your happiness just means more to me than anything," Harry told her.

Saffron hugged him. "I love him so much, Daddy. He makes me happier than I've ever been in my life."

"I'm glad for that," Harry kissed the top of her head.

"I just hope we're as happy as you and mum have been," Saffron said softly.

"I'm sure you will be," Harry assured her.

"I love you, Dad," Saffron said. "No matter where I live."

"I love you too baby," Harry hugged her tighter.

"Good night," Saffron said.

"I'll see you in the morning," Harry said.

Saffron smiled. "You realise Puddles is coming with me, don't you?"

"There's a relief," Harry joked.

"You're going to miss him," Saffron said grinning at him. "I know you will."

"Just a bit, maybe." Harry reached into the icebox for the leftover lasagne.

Saffron laughed. "You sure you haven't been possessed by Uncle Ron?"

"Merlin help the food in this house if I was," Harry quipped.

Saffron laughed. "Good night, Daddy."

"Night, baby." Harry answered.

Harry warmed up his plate and was about to take a bite when his wife came into the kitchen. "Harry James Potter..."

"What?" Harry asked innocently.

"You had a big dinner," Hermione reminded him. "Not to mention dessert and now you're eating lasagne? Do you have a tapeworm?"

"I can't resist this stuff," Harry said, stuffing a large forkful in his mouth.

Hermione shook her head. "What a night."

"I know," Harry swallowed his lasagne.

"It's just going to be you and me," Hermione commented.

"This house is going to be bigger than ever," Harry nodded.

Hermione laughed. "Too big."

"Too bad we can't get a smaller place again," Harry said.

"We can someday," Hermione said thoughtfully. "Once I step down."

"I thought you were going to rule forever," Harry teased.

"Well, I was thinking about the day when I can retire and spend all this time with my wonderful husband," Hermione said softly.

"Oh yeah?" Harry asked, pulling her to him.

"Oh yeah," Hermione said huskily.

"I like that idea," Harry said. "A lot..."

"Do you?" Hermione asked trailing her finger down his chest. "Because...I was thinking that if you were still hungry..."

He was, but no longer for food.

"Dessert is on the menu," Hermione said leaning in to kiss him.

"Would that dessert be you?" he asked.

"Maybe," Hermione said with a grin.

"I'll have a double order," Harry said with a saucy grin.

Hermione gave him a kiss. "I'll warn you that it's very, very decadent..."

"I like that," Harry said, nudging her ear.

"This reminds me of our first night in the cottage," Hermione said closing her eyes.

"Does it?" Harry asked lazily.

"How we couldn't wait for everyone to leave," Hermione said.

"And we practically had to push Ron out the door," Harry recalled. "Only for him to open his big mouth in front of your dad."

Hermione laughed at the memory. "Poor Dad didn't want to think about that part of our living together."

"No he didn't," Harry replied.

"That was some of the happiest times," Hermione said resting her forehead on his.

"They were good," Harry nodded. "But the best was when we got married and had Jules, Ethan and Saffy."

"Yes it was," Hermione agreed. "I'm so proud of them."

"Me too," Harry tightened his arms around her.

"Let's go upstairs," Hermione said smiling at him.

"And do what?" Harry played innocent.

"Hmmm," Hermione said touching his cheek. "If you take me upstairs, you'll find out..."

Harry picked his wife up easily.

Hermione laughed. "That never gets old."

"Nope," Harry said, carrying her to their bedroom.

"What time do you have to be in the office?" Hermione asked him as he set her down on the bed.

"Eight," Harry answered.

Hermione grinned wickedly at him as she grabbed his tie and pulled him down with her. "So, you'll have SOME time to recover then..."

"I don't care if I do," Harry said.

"Just what I like to hear," Hermione purred.

Harry pulled her to him and kissed her deeply.

"I love you, you know?" Hermione asked him, loosening his tie.

"I love you too," Harry smiled crookedly at her.

"And I'm very proud of how you handled things with Andrew and Saffy," Hermione said.

"I don't want to talk about that right now," Harry replied.

"Right," Hermione said smiling up at him.

"It's just a little too.... new..." Harry searched for the right word.

"For me too," Hermione said touching his cheek. "She's always been our baby."

"And grew up way too soon," Harry said.

"And has been through so much in such a small amount of time," Hermione said.

"Yeah," Harry said thoughtfully.

"You've been a great father to them, Harry," Hermione said softly. "They love you so much."

"I'd do anything for them," Harry replied.

"And you have," Hermione said giving him a kiss.

Harry rolled himself on top of her.

"Harry," Hermione whispered, as he kissed her neck.

"Mmmhmmm..." he murmured.

Hermione threw his tie to the floor and began working on the buttons his shirt.

Harry yanked at the straps on his wife's dress.

Hermione arched against him. "That's a new dress, you know."

"I'll fix it later," he said breathlessly.

Hermione smiled. "You're a little impatient..."

"For you?" Harry asked. "I always am."

"Me too," Hermione said pulling off his shirt. She and Harry had been together for so many years, but the sight of his sculpted chest still managed to make her breathless.

They quickly shed the rest of their clothes and slid under the covers naked.

"Harry," Hermione whispered. "Please..."

"You never did like to wait," Harry pushed inside her.

Hermione's breath caught in her throat. "Harry..."

Harry sucked in air through his teeth, unable to answer her.

Hermione wrapped her legs around him, eager to have more of him.

Harry buried his face in her shoulder, muffling his grunts of pleasure.

"Yes," Hermione breathed.

Harry's breath started coming more rapidly as he and Hermione moved together.

Hermione lifted her head off the pillow and kissed him.

Harry pushed into her one last time before his body collapsed on top of her.

Hermione held him to her. "That was..."

"You are amazing," Harry said. "Always have been."

Hermione smiled. "I learned everything I know from my husband."

"He's a smart bloke," Harry said with a grin.

"He is," Hermione laughed. "And handsome, too."

"Charming guy," Harry answered.

Hermione gave him a kiss. "I love you."

"I love you too, sweetheart," Harry said.

"Thank you for tonight," Hermione said. "It's been ages since we went out like that."

"We need to do it more often," Harry told her.

"Date night," Hermione said grinning at him.

Harry laughed. "Right."

"We should get some sleep," Hermione said.

"I suppose," Harry pushed off to her side.

"Unless, you're not tired," Hermione said softly.

"I'm sure a second wind will blow by," Harry said with a grin.

"You think so?" Hermione asked grinning back.

"I know so," Harry answered.

"I don't know," Hermione said doubtfully. "You know, we're not as young as we used to be..."

"Who says?" Harry asked.

"You disagree, then?" Hermione asked.

"I do," Harry said.

Hermione grinned mischievously at him. "Prove it."

Harry pulled her on top of him. "I will."

"You're so easy," Hermione grinned.

"What?" Harry asked in mock outrage.

Hermione laughed. "I always know just what to say to get you to do my bidding."

"You wish," Harry answered.

"I know," Hermione grinned.

"Good thing I love you," Harry looked up at her.

"It's a great thing that you love me," Hermione corrected.

"You're right," Harry kissed her neck.

That was the last thing either of them said for the rest of the night.

The next morning, Andrew Kirke awoke with a smile on his face and he knew why. He’d finally asked Saffron the question he’d wanted to ask her for ages and she’d said yes. The only thing that would have made it better was if she’d been able to come home with him last night.

But, he did have an early practise. He showered and changed and then headed into the kitchen where his flatmate was brooding.

“Good morning,” Andrew said brightly.

“Says you,” RJ muttered.

"What's wrong?" Andrew asked.

"My big date with Aud was a big bust," RJ grumbled. "Her bloody cousin...

"What's wrong with her cousin?" Andrew got himself some juice.

"How much time do you have?" RJ asked sarcastically.

Andrew sat down. "A little bit..."

RJ proceeded to tell Andrew all about how he'd met Audrey's cousin at her family's party and how she'd not so subtly hinted that she wouldn't mind getting to know him better.

"Wow," Andrew said. "She's kind of like Serena?”

"Only smarter," RJ said shaking his head. "And as if things couldn't get any worse, she's working at the pub with Aud."

"Ouch," Andrew winced.

"And it seems like everywhere we are, there she is," RJ said. "And I can't say anything to Audrey because she thinks Becca's great."

"Maybe you should get her to act out in front of Audrey," Andrew suggested.

RJ put his head in his hands. "I already tried. She's one step ahead of me, mate."

"How so?" Andrew asked

"Last night," RJ told him. "Audrey and I had plans to go out to dinner and to a movie. Well, Becca decides to weasel her way into an invite. Aud gets up to go to the loo and Becca starts playing with my foot under the table. I tried to play along but the moment Audrey comes back; she pulls that old sweet and innocent routine again."

"She really sounds like a piece of work," Andrew shook his head.

"You don't even know the half of it, Andrew," RJ said shaking his head. "I had it all planned out, you know? Last night, I was going to ask her and Becca ruined it."

"You still haven't asked her to move in?" Andrew asked.

RJ shook his head. "No, it's just never the right time."

Andrew finished his juice. "I asked Saffron last night if she wanted to find a place with me."

"What?" RJ asked.

"She wants to live with me," Andrew couldn't suppress his grin.

RJ momentarily forgot about his own problem. "Did you tell Uncle Harry?"

"She sort of blurted it out," Andrew said.

"I suppose it's a good sign that you're still breathing," RJ mused.

"Very," Andrew nodded.

"Congratulations," RJ said slapping him on the back.

"Thanks mate," Andrew said with a grin.

"It's about time," RJ said.

Andrew nodded. "I can't wait."

"They way my luck is going," RJ said. "The two of you can move in here with me."

"No thanks," Andrew teased.

"You and Saf already pick out a place then?" RJ asked while he fixed himself some breakfast.

"Not yet," Andrew shook his head.

"I'll have to warn her about what it's like to live with your ugly mug," RJ joked.

"Better than living with yours," Andrew returned with a grin.

"What are you two carrying on about?" Audrey asked from the doorway.

"Morning," RJ smiled for the first time that day.

"Want some juice, Aud?" Andrew offered.

"Sure," Audrey said. "Thanks."

She gave her boyfriend a kiss before she sat down. "You didn't wake me..."

"You looked too pretty when you were sleeping," RJ said. "And I wanted to let you rest."

Audrey beamed at him. "Great answer."

RJ gave her a kiss. "Big news, Aud. Andrew and Saffron are moving in together."

Audrey grinned. "That's great, Andrew!"

"Thanks," Andrew got her a glass of juice.

"Did you ask her or did she ask you?" Audrey asked.

"I asked her," Andrew said. "Been thinking about it for awhile."

"That is so romantic," Audrey gushed. "And I know you'll have fun picking out a place together."

"I hope so," Andrew smiled at her.

"You want something to eat?" RJ asked her.

"Eggs?" Audrey asked.

"Coming right up," RJ said standing up.

"You're too good to me," Audrey said, gazing at him dreamily.

"I'll see you two later," Andrew said. "I'm going to get out of here before you do something really disgusting."

"I'll come visit when you and Saf are like this," RJ said dryly.

Audrey laughed. "Bye, Andrew."

"See you two later," Andrew replied.

Audrey stood up and walked over to the counter. She poured herself another glass of juice. "That's really great about Andrew and Saffy, isn't it?"

"Sure is," RJ nodded.

"Last night was fun," Audrey said. "I know it was just going to be the two of us, but I couldn't say no to Becca."

"Yeah," RJ turned back to the eggs.

"Do you have any friends you could set her up with?" Audrey asked.

"I'm not sure," RJ said. "Most of my friends are wizards..."

"Oh," Audrey said nodding. "That's right. I was thinking of setting her up with Ross from my English Lit class. He's not really her type though..."

"I bet they'd be great together," RJ said, dumping her eggs onto a dish.

"I'll see if I can sort it out," Audrey said thoughtfully. "Maybe we could double?"

"Sure," RJ replied. "Sounds great."

"This looks delicious," Audrey said when he set the plate in front of her.

"Anytime you want something, I'll make it for you," RJ said as he sat down.

"Why are you being so sweet?" Audrey asked him.

"Cause I love you," RJ grinned at her.

"I love you too," Audrey said before taking a bite of her eggs. "Oh, RJ. This is soooo good!"

"You know..." RJ gulped. "You could have this every morning if you wanted..."

Audrey looked at him. "You're going to cook for me every morning?"

"I could if you lived here," RJ said in a rush.

"What was that?" Audrey asked. "I didn't catch that..."

"I'd um... I'd cook for you every morning if you..." RJ coughed. "If you lived here."

Audrey gulped. "RJ..."

"Sorry," RJ turned red.

Audrey reached for his hand. "There's no need to apologise. You---you want me to move in here with you?"

"Yeah," RJ said. "I've been thinking about it for awhile... and I was going to ask you last night but..."

"Becca was there," Audrey finished.

"Yeah," RJ said. "But... what do you think?"

"It's a big step," Audrey said thoughtfully.

"I know," RJ replied.

"And I'd want to pay my half of the expenses," Audrey said. "I don't want you to feel like you're taking care of me."

"You really think you'd want to move in here?" RJ asked.

Audrey nodded. "I think so."

RJ grinned widely.

Audrey grinned back at him. "And I'm going to hold you to that breakfast every day thing."

RJ laughed. "I won't complain."

Audrey put her arms around him. "I can't believe this is actually happening."

"Me too," RJ gave her a kiss. "I love you, Aud."

"I love you too," Audrey said softly.

"It's going to be great having you live here," RJ told her.

"I think so too," Audrey said. She looked serious for a moment. "Andrew...he's not moving in with Saffy just because of me, is he? I mean, this was his home before it was mine..."

"No," RJ shook his head. "He's been talking about it since they got back together."

"Good," Audrey said in relief.

"And we can turn Andrew's room into your own personal space," RJ said. "You could set up your desk and computer and books in there."

Audrey grinned at him. "No need to butter me up, Weasley. I already said yes."

RJ grinned. "Yes, you did. No backing out now."

"Never," Audrey gave him a kiss.

RJ was about to suggest that they take this back to the bedroom when he heard a knock on the door. "Be right back..."

"Sure..." Audrey got off his lap.

RJ quickly walked to the door and smiled when he looked through the peephole. "Mum."

Audrey smiled as she came into the hall. "We can tell her our big news."

RJ opened the door. "Mum, this is a nice surprise."

"Good morning," Luna smiled. "I was in the area so I thought I'd see if you were home."

"We were eating breakfast," Audrey said. "Why don't you join us?"

"I'd love to," Luna said, taking her cloak off.

RJ took it from her and hung it on the cloak rack. "How are things at the house? Dad said you were going to house two more children?"

Luna nodded. "They're coming next week. After this, I don't know if they'll need us anymore. Since Hermione's shown interest, the way the orphanages are run has come a long way."

Audrey poured Luna a glass of juice. "I think it's fantastic what you've done, Mrs. Weasley."

"Thank you," Luna replied. "Ron wasn't too keen on it in the beginning, but I think he'll miss having children around."

"He has all the grandkids to keep him busy," RJ said. "Chloe and Em alone..."

"Those two," Luna laughed. "They always come over with something for him- Emma brings cakes that she makes in her oven, and Chloe arrives with a bag of plastic spiders."

Audrey looked at Luna. "I thought Mr. Weasley was deathly afraid of spiders?"

"He is," RJ guffawed.

"Oh," Audrey laughed. "She likes to scare him, does she?"

"Nearly every time," Luna nodded. "Ron's not always scared, but he pretends to be because she gets such a kick out of it."

"Say what you will about Dad, but he always joins in with whatever they want," RJ said as he set about making eggs for his mother.

"Your dad's a great guy," Audrey replied.

"He'd do anything for his children and his grandchildren," Luna said dreamily.

Audrey smiled at RJ's mother. "What else are you up to today?"

"I'm going to the office later to edit some articles," Luna told her. "And I want to check in with Darla."

"How's she doing?" RJ asked.

"As well as can be expected," Luna said. "Hans---he did come home for a little while last week. The two of them were able to talk. She said he wants to make it work. I have my doubts though..."

"Jon, Josh and me will slaughter him," RJ said ominously.

"RJ," Luna warned.

"I mean it," RJ said. "He's a wanker if he lets Darla go."

"I think so too," Audrey said thoughtfully. "She's great and she's having his baby..."

"Exactly," RJ said.

"No matter what happens, she'll have us to support her," Luna said.

Audrey nodded. "Of course she will."

"Here you go, Mum," RJ said setting a plate down in front of her.

"These look wonderful," Luna said. "Thank you RJ."

"Only the best for you," RJ grinned.

Audrey laughed. "And he even keeps them warm for us."

Luna grinned. "He's a good boy. You should hang on to him, Audrey."

"I plan to," Audrey answered.

"Mum," RJ sat back. "I asked Aud to move in with me."

"You did?" Luna asked. "And what did she say?"

"Yes," the two of them said at the same time.

Luna smiled. "Well, that's fantastic news. I'm happy for you both."

"Thanks," RJ said with a broad grin.

"I still have to tell my parents, but I'm sure they won't mind," Audrey said. "They love RJ."

"Everyone loves me," RJ replied.

Luna looked fondly at her son. "You're the most like your father that's why."

"Lucky for me," RJ finished his juice.

"You don't have to worry about me letting anyone know about your family being magical, Mrs. Weasley," Audrey promised. "They'll never hear it from me."

"Of course they wouldn't," Luna said. "Once Muggles know of us and our capabilities though, they seem to be able to handle it quite well."

"I was wondering," Audrey said. "Not that I'm planning on this anytime soon, but if someday, RJ and I had children, would that child be magical? Or Muggle like me?"

"That's not something we'd know until the baby was born," Luna told her. "Some magical people have children that aren't magical in any way."

"Squibs," RJ told her.

"Squibs?" Audrey asked.

"Non-magic person born to magical parents," RJ explained.

"I see," Audrey nodded. "And I take it sometimes people who aren't magical at all have a child that can do magic?"

Luna nodded. "Saffron's mother is that way. Hermione's parents were both Muggles."

"Wow," Audrey said. "And now she's like your Prime Minister?"

"And one of the smartest people I've ever met," Luna replied. "There are a lot of people in our world though who don't like her because she's not what they'd call pure-blood."

"Wow," Audrey shook her head.

"I'll let you read my old History of Magic textbooks sometime," RJ said.

"That'd be great," Audrey said in relief.

"It's a lot to learn," Luna said. "But you'll catch on quickly, Audrey."

"I hope so," Audrey finished her eggs.

"How are your classes going?" Luna asked her.

"Great," Audrey said. "One more month and we're done for summer hols."

"And she's going to move in during Easter," RJ said.

"How lovely," Luna nodded. "Let us know if you'd like some help."

"I was going to ask Jon and Josh," RJ said.

"What does Andrew think of this?" Luna asked.

"He's over the moon," RJ said. "He and Saffy are moving in together actually. He asked her last night."

"Oh my!" Luna said in surprise.

"Uncle Harry already knows and he's fine with it apparently," RJ told her. "I mean, it's not like he could really say anything is it? He lived with Aunt Hermione before they were married. And from what Dad says they shagged like rabbits any chance they could get."

Luna nodded. "That's quite true."

"RJ," Audrey said blushing. "That's not very nice!"

"Not nice but true." RJ pointed out.

"Still..." Audrey said.

Luna glanced at her watch. "I've got to get going."

"Tell Darla I said hello," RJ said. "And if she needs me to rough up old Hans..."

"I will not tell her that," Luna said firmly.

"Just tell her we both said hello and that if she needs anything we'll be happy to help," Audrey said.

"That's more like it," Luna smiled at her.

"I should get ready too," Audrey said. "I have class in a half hour."

"And I have practise," RJ added.

"I'll see you both later," Luna said. She checked her watch. Drew and Darla should both be at the office.

"Bye Mum," RJ said. "Thanks for coming by."

"Bye," Luna said giving them both a hug.

"Have you got time for a shower?" RJ asked his girlfriend once his mother had left.

"A quick one," Audrey replied with a grin.

"I can make it quick," RJ teased.

"Can you?" Audrey giggled.

"Maybe," he said, putting his arms around her waist.

"Another benefit of living together," Audrey said.

"Yes," he nodded. "A definite benefit."

"Time's a wasting, Weasley," Audrey said putting her arms around his neck.

RJ picked her up. "Then by all means..."

252. Chapter 252

Authors’ note: This one is all Darla/Hans/Liam. Enjoy!

While RJ and Audrey enjoyed the rest of their morning together, Drew was trying to begin the day. She'd left Darla upstairs in their office while she grabbed a quick breakfast for them at the coffee shop. She ran into her mother on the way back upstairs. "Mum, what are you doing here?"

"I thought I'd drop by for a visit," Luna replied.

"To check in on Darla, you mean," Drew said.

"Yes," Luna confessed.

"Come on up with me, then," Drew said smiling at her.

Luna put an arm around her daughter. "How are Brian and Chloe?"

"They're great," Drew replied. "Brian and I went out for dinner last night and Chloe was able to spend all night with Saffy."

"I bet she loved that," Luna smiled.

"She did," Drew said. "She loves spending time with 'Sassy'."

"She is too much," Luna shook her head.

"How's Daddy?" Drew asked.

"He's at home," Luna said. "We have two new children coming next week."

"So he's making sure everything's ready?" Drew asked.

"If not eating everything in the kitchen," Luna said dryly.

Drew laughed and held open the door for her mother. "Darla...look who's here!"

"Darla?" Luna called. The two women heard retching sounds coming from the loo.

Drew winced. "That's not good."

"Morning sickness," Luna nodded. She conjured up a glass of water for her daughter.

Darla walked out of the loo a few moments later, looking quite pale. "Mum..."

"Hi sweetheart," Luna said, handing her the glass.

"Thanks," Darla said weakly.

"I've got some crackers here," Drew offered.

Darla nodded. "That'd be great."

"The joys of pregnancy," Drew said, reaching into a drawer.

"Oh yeah," Darla said sitting down. "This is a real joy."

"It'll be worth it when you see your son for the first time," Luna assured her,

"Hans and I came up with a name," Darla said taking the crackers from Drew. "Rafe."

"Rafe?" Drew asked. "That's cute!"

"I love it," Luna agreed.

"We wanted something different, but not odd," Darla explained, nibbling at a cracker.

"How is Hans?" Luna asked gently.

"Okay," Darla shrugged.

"Just okay?" Luna asked sitting down beside her.

"It's so strange, Mum," Darla said. "He's all sweet and attentive when he's home, but when I try to ring him, he's so abrupt. It's like he can't wait to get off the phone with me."

"She hasn't heard from him since Monday when she left him a message," Drew told Luna.

Darla sighed. "I just don't know what else to do."

"You'll work things out," Luna said patting her on the knee. Darla nodded and set her glass down. "I'm going to go and splash some water on my face..."

When she stood up, she suddenly felt very dizzy and before Luna or Drew could do anything, Darla fainted.

Drew gasped. "DAR!"

"Darla!" Luna exclaimed, kneeling down. "Sweetheart!"

"I'll get her healer," Drew rushed to the fireplace.

Luna felt her daughter's forehead. Darla's skin was so cold. "Sweetheart...please...wake up."

It seemed like a half hour, but was really only a few minutes for Drew to contact Liam Thornhart, who rushed over.

"What happened?" Liam asked.

"She had morning sickness," Drew told him. "And then she got up to go splash some water on her face and she fainted."

"How long has she been out?" Liam asked Luna.

"About five minutes," Luna replied. She had flashbacks of Allison during Emma's labour and she told herself not to go there.

Liam dug into his case for a potion and then gently lifted Darla's head.

Luna and Drew watched as he parted Darla's lips and slowly poured the potion into her mouth.

Darla coughed as the foul tasting liquid burned her throat.

"Thank Merlin," Drew said in relief.

"What happened?" Darla asked dazedly.

"You fainted," Liam replied helping her sit up.

"What are you doing here?" she blinked.

"Drew called me over," Liam said.

"Oh," Darla rubbed at her forehead.

"Have you been taking your vitamins?" Liam asked her.

"Every day," Darla nodded.

"And eating like you should?" Liam asked.

"I've been doing several small meals a day, just like you told me," Darla said.

"I'm going to check your blood pressure," Liam said reaching into his bag.

"Is there anything we can do to help?" Luna asked anxiously.

"No, thank you," Liam said. Drew held her sister's hand as Liam checked her vital signs.

"Everything seems normal," he said after a few minutes. "Your pulse is a bit fast-- are you under a lot of stress for any reason?"

"My husband and I are still having problems," Darla said quietly.

"Lots of them," Drew said.

"Drew," Darla said looking at her sister.

"It's true, Dar." Drew replied. "You have to be honest."

"I think you're a little dehydrated, too," Liam said. "This is common with morning sickness. I'd like to check you into St. Mungos for the night. Just for observation, of course."

"All night?" Darla asked warily.

"Just for a few hours," Liam said. "Just to be on the safe side. You fainted, Darla."

"I'll take care of everything here," Drew told her twin.

"I'll go and grab some things from your house," Luna said.

"Okay," Darla said.

Liam packed his bag. He offered Darla his hand. "Slowly..."

"Thank you," Darla said quietly.

"I'll leave word at the front desk as to what room she's in," Liam told Drew and Luna.

"Thanks," Drew told him. "Especially for coming here so fast."

"Your sister didn't give me much choice, did she?" Liam asked with a grin. "She appeared in my office and grabbed me by the arm..."

Darla gave a weak smile. "Come visit me later?"

"Of course," Drew promised.

"I'll get you admitted in," Liam told her.

"Is this really necessary?" Darla asked Liam.

"Yes," he nodded firmly. "Just to be on the safe side."

"I've never liked hospitals," Darla confided.

"It's only one night," he reassured her.

"One night," Darla said holding on to his arm. "One night."

"I'm just going to have them run some tests on you and the baby," he said.

"Everything's going to be okay, right?" Darla asked nervously.

He patted her arm. "I'm sure you'll be fine. I just like playing it on the safe side."

She hadn't seen him since that night he'd stopped by to give her the vitamins. "I'm sorry about the ways Hans behaved. You know, when you stopped by..."

"I should have owled them over, or rang you first," Liam said. "I'm sure he was surprised at some strange bloke on your doorstep."

"He's not usually like that," Darla said in his defence. "He's under a lot of stress, too."

"And I don't want you under any stress," Liam said firmly.

"Yes, sir," Darla said wincing as they entered St. Mungos.

"This way," he led her up to the desk and had her checked in quickly.

A few minutes later, she was in a hospital bed in a private room. She listened as Liam talked with the nurses about what tests he wanted.

Darla closed her eyes and let her head rest on the pillow.

"Don't worry," Liam told her. "This will be completely painless."

"I hope so," Darla muttered.

Liam sat down in the chair beside her bed. "So why don't you like hospitals? From what Lizzy tells me, you've been in them quite a bit with all those nieces and nephews..."

"Just... they're so sterile and cold," Darla said.

Liam nodded knowingly. "I can certainly see that."

"You don't seem to mind them." she commented.

"You kind of get used to them when you spend most of your day in one," Liam said with a grin. "But, I'll let you in on a little secret. I used to get sick at the sight of blood."

Darla had to smile. "Really?"

"Yeah," Liam said rolling his eyes. "My first day at University, we had to shadow a healer. Well, he was doing his rounds and we came across this patient who had stabbed himself with his wand. The next thing I know, I'm getting helped off the floor..."

"He stabbed himself with his WAND?" Darla asked incredulously.

"Oh yes," Liam said. "He said he fell on it, but I had my doubts..."

"Some people..." Darla shook her head.

"Oh the stories I could tell you," Liam said. "You wouldn't believe the crazy things people do to themselves..."

"Tell me another one," Darla said, already feeling herself relaxing.

"Let's see," Liam thought for a moment. "Well, I'm sure you've heard the excuse that the dog ate your homework, right? Well, this one patient of mine must have been nine years old and his teacher sent home a letter saying that he'd misbehaved. Instead of giving it to his parents, he ate the letter."

Darla's jaw dropped.

Liam laughed. "The poor lad begged me not to tell his mum."

"What did you do?" Darla asked.

"I said that he'd eaten paper, but I didn't tell her what the paper said," Liam told her. "I couldn't."

"That was nice of you," Darla said softly.

"I was in his shoes before," Liam said. "I didn't eat the letters they sent home to me ma. Probably should have...."

"Why's that?" Darla asked. "I'm sure they weren't bad..."

Liam laughed. "Ask my primary school teachers. They'll tell you. But, let me guess, you were a good little girl, right?"

"I was a shy little girl," Darla said.

"You were?" Liam asked.

"Very," she nodded. "I outgrew it."

"Which is a good thing in your line of business," Liam said thoughtfully.

"Oh yes," Darla nodded.

"I imagine you have some stories of your own," Liam said.

"A few," Darla said. "Recently we had a bride who wanted to dictate how her bridesmaids were to look for the wedding. She told them they weren't allowed to gain or lose weight, cut or colour their hair, and if they wanted to change their makeup regime, they had to run it by her first."

Liam gaped at her. "No way..."

"She even told me and Drew if we were to attend the wedding- which we always do, to make sure things run smoothly- that we had to wear robes or dresses approved by her."

"You've got to be kidding," Liam said shaking his head.

"I wish I was," she said dryly.

"Is that what they call a 'bridezilla'?" Liam asked.

Darla laughed. "Exactly!"

Liam grinned. "Textbook case, eh?"

"You know it," Darla shook her head. She relayed a few other tales to Liam.

"You should write a book," Liam told her.

"That would be fun," Darla nodded.

"And I can say I knew you when," Liam grinned.

"Before I was famous," Darla joked.

A nurse knocked on the door carrying a tray of food. "Just as you requested Healer Thornhart."

"Thank you," Liam stood up and took the tray.

"What's all that?" Darla asked.

"Your dinner," Liam answered.

"Thank you," Darla said sitting up as he wheeled the tray table over to her. "That's quite a bit of food."

"And I'd like you to eat it all," he told her.

"You're quite pushy, you know that?" Darla asked him reaching for her fork.

"People say it's one of my finer qualities," Liam grinned.

"Like your primary school teachers?" Darla asked.

"We won't ask them," Liam joked.

Darla laughed. "Just you wait. Next time in Ireland, I'm going to have a visit with them and get all the dirt on you, Liam Thornhart."

"I bet you'll be surprised at what you dig up," Liam told her. "Now eat."

"Yes, sir," Darla said, taking a bite of her chicken. "This is actually quite good..."

"Especially for hospital food," he sat back down.

"Not as good as the diner though," Darla smiled at him.

"Definitely not," Liam agreed.

"Do you want some of this?" Darla asked and laughed at the stern look on his face. "Okay, okay. It's all mine. I was just offering to be polite."

"I just want your baby to get the best nourishment," Liam told her.

"Me too," Darla said.

"Glad we're in agreement there," Liam nodded.

Luna knocked on the door. "Sweetheart, I'm sorry it took me so long."

"Hi Mum," Darla said.

"Hello, Mrs. Weasley," Liam said.

"I'm afraid we didn't have the best introduction," Luna said. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Healer Thornhart."

"It's nice to meet you," Liam said shaking her hand. "Lizzy has told me so many stories about you, I feel like I know you already."

Luna laughed. "I hope they're all good."

"They are," Liam said laughing, too.

"I can stay with you for a little while," Luna told her daughter. "Drew's coming by later with Chloe, and your father said he'd drop by after dinner."

"It's really not necessary, Mum," Darla said. "I know you have to get ready for the kids..."

"You're my baby," Luna said.

Darla smiled at her. "Thanks, Mum."

"I've got to get back to the office," Liam said. "I'll be stopping by later after they administer the tests to let you know about the results."

Darla nodded. "Thank you for everything."

"Anytime," Liam nodded before ducking out of the room.

Luna set Darla's bag down and took Liam's vacated seat. "How are you feeling really, baby?"

"I feel better now," Darla told her mother.

"I'm glad," Luna said. "You gave us quite a scare."

"I'm sorry," Darla said as she finished her meal.

"I tried ringing Hans," Luna said.

"You didn't get through," Darla stated.

Luna shook her head. "I'll keep trying."

Darla shrugged.

"I'm sure he'd be here if he knew," Luna said.

"I don't know," Darla said. "He wasn't even here for the ultrasound."

Luna wanted to say something else, but she didn't want to cause her daughter any more stress. "How was your meal?" she asked instead.

"Surprisingly good," Darla said.

"For hospital food," Luna said touching her daughter's cheek. "I know you don't like being here, but maybe this is for the best. You can get some rest and think of nothing but that little boy."

"I know," Darla nodded.

"I have big news to tell you," Luna said. "Your baby brother is moving in with Audrey. And Saffy is moving in with Andrew."

"Really!" Darla said.

"Oh yes," Luna smiled. "You should have seen him this morning. He was so happy."

"Junior's pretty serious about this one, isn't he?" Darla leaned back against her pillow.

"Very," Luna replied with a grin. "She's a good girl. She can keep him on his toes."

Darla had to smile. "Good. I like Audrey."

"They both told me to send you their love," Luna said.

"That's sweet of them," Darla shifted on the bed.

"Are you uncomfortable?" Luna asked her. "Let me fluff your pillows..."

"Thanks," Darla said.

Luna stood up and fluffed Darla's pillows. "I know it's not your bed at home sweetheart, but it's the best place for you right now."

"It's only one night," Darla said.

Luna smiled. "You've certainly changed your tune about hospitals."

"I still hate them," Darla said. "But I can handle one night."

Luna kissed her daughter's forehead. "That's my girl."

At the front desk, Liam was going over some charts with the head nurse.

One of the younger nurses gasped when she saw the man standing at the counter. "Oh Merlin! It's him! He's sooooo handsome! Hans Feinbach...."

Liam turned to see his patient's husband coming into the lobby.

Hans took off his sunglasses. "Excuse me? I'm looking for Darla Feinbach. Is she here?"

The nurse gaped at him.

"Hello?" Hans asked impatiently.

"Y-you're gorgeous," the nurse stammered, blushing.

Hans grinned. "Thank you, love."

"Beg your pardon," Liam interrupted. "You're looking for Darla?"

"C-can I have your autograph?" the nurse asked Hans.

"Sure," Liam said. "Do you have something to write with?"

Liam cleared his throat and gave the nurse a look.

"Sorry," the nurse said quietly. "I'll just go and see if those lab results are ready, Healer Thornhart."

"Thank you," Liam said shortly. He turned back to Hans. "Follow me. I'll take you to Darla's room."

"Thanks," Hans said following him. "Is it always this bright in here?"

"It's a hospital," Liam replied.

"Right," Hans said. "I was in a club when my agent called to let me know Darla was here."

Liam silently led him down the corridor and pointed towards Darla's room.

Hans reached into his pocket for his wallet and gave Liam a couple of bills. "Thanks, mate."

Liam stared at the money. "No thanks."

"I know it's American, but Gringotts will change it for you," Hans said.

"No," Liam shoved the bills back at him. "I'm a Healer. I don't take tips."

"What's your problem?" Hans asked angrily.

"Just go in and see your wife," Liam said coolly.

Hans glared at him before he stepped inside Darla's room.

"Hey, babe," Hans said grinning at her.

"Hans?" Darla asked in surprise.

"In the flesh," Hans said walking over to her bed. "I got Luna's message and I came straightaway."

Darla reached for his hand. "I'm glad."

"How are you?" Hans asked sitting down on the edge of her bed.

"Okay," Darla said as Luna retreated into the loo. "I passed out."

"Is everything okay?" Hans asked.

"I think so," Darla nodded. "They're going to run some tests."

Hans leaned over and kissed her. "Nothing's wrong with Rafe, right?"

"I hope not," Darla said softly.

"He's strong like his mum," Hans said squeezing her hand.

"I'm so glad you're here," Darla said.

"Would I let my girl go through this by herself?" Hans asked. "Absolutely not."

Darla moved herself over. "Come lay by me."

"Just as long as you promise not to take advantage of me," Hans teased.

Darla laughed. "For now..."

Hans slide carefully into bed beside her.

"That's better," Darla leaned against him.

"I was going to call you back today," Hans said feeling guilty that he'd ignored her last few phone messages.

"I've missed you," Darla closed her eyes.

"I missed you too," Hans said kissing the side of her head.

"Will you stay?" she asked.

Hans didn't answer her.

"Hans?" she asked softly.

Luna came out of the loo and smiled as she looked at her daughter and son-in-law. Perhaps she had worried for nothing.

"I--I can only stay for an hour," Hans told her.

"An hour?" Darla asked.

"I'm shooting an ad," Hans said.

"Oh," Darla deflated.

"I'm sure they'd understand if you had a family emergency," Luna said, not wanting to interfere, but she couldn't stop herself.

Hans looked over at her as if she were a stranger.

"Something could be wrong with the baby, Hans," Luna said. "You should be here to reassure Darla."

"I'm making money so Darla and the baby can afford to live a good life," Hans said.

"I'd really like it if you stayed," Darla said quietly.

Hans sighed. "Let me see what I can do."

"Hans, would you mind stepping outside with me?" Luna asked him. She didn't give him a chance to answer as she grabbed him by the arm.

"That hurts--" Hans complained.

"Mum," Darla called out, but Luna didn't hear her. She yanked on Hans arm and pulled him out of her daughter's earshot.

"Now, you listen to me and you listen well," Luna began. "My daughter does not need to deal with this kind of stress. She fainted today because she's been dealing with so much of it, she can barely function!"

"What stress?" Hans asked.

Luna looked murderously at him. "What stress? What stress? Are you kidding me?"

"Look I'm very busy," Hans said.

"You're very busy," Luna said clenching her fists.

"Making money, so Darla and Rafe can have a good life," Hans replied angrily.

"You don't care about them at all, do you?" Luna retorted. "If you did, you'd be here with her every step of the way. Even if she was in New York, she'd be going through this alone, wouldn't she? You'd be at some party or at some photo shoot. This isn't about them at all. This is about you and what you want. Nothing else."

"That isn't true," Hans argued.

"Then prove me wrong," Luna hissed at him. "If you can't do that, don't step back into that room. She doesn't need this."

"I can stay for an hour," Hans told his mother in law.

"Oh, that's fantastic!" Luna said sarcastically. "We wouldn't want to put you out!"

"Mum..." Darla called from the room.

"If you'll excuse me," Luna pushed past him.

"Mum please," Darla said quietly. "He's here. Don't drive him away."

"I--I think I'm going to check in with your father," Luna said. "I'll give you and Hans some time alone."

"Thanks," Darla reached for her mother's hand.

"I love you," Luna said softly. "I only want what's best for you."

"I know," Darla told her.

Luna shot a warning look at Hans before she left the room.

"That was really uncalled for," Hans said once Luna was gone.

"She's just concerned," Darla said in her mother's defence.

Hans only shook his head.

"What kind of ad are you shooting?" Darla asked him.

"Cologne," Hans answered.

"That's great," Darla said trying to sound enthusiastic.

"Dar, it's a fantastic ad," Hans said. "It's a commercial. I'm going to be on television!"

"Is it an outdoor shoot?" Darla asked.

"Yeah," Hans answered.

"Well, tell me more about it," Darla said. "I'd like to know."

"Well it's with the same girls I posed with in the underwear ad," Hans said.

"Katya and Michaela, right?" Darla asked.

"Right," Hans nodded. "I'm this guy they're lusting after at a party, because of the cologne I'm wearing."

Darla smiled. "I'm sure that's going to be fantastic."

"It will be," Hans nodded, grinning at her.

"When will it start airing?" Darla asked.

"I'm not sure yet," Hans said. "I'll find out later."

"You'll have to let me know," Darla said. "We can watch the premiere together!"

"Sure, babe." Hans agreed.

"Excuse me," Liam said coming into the room. "We're just going to set up a monitor for the baby's heartbeat."

"Sure," Darla pushed herself up.

"The shoot will probably be a couple of hours," Hans said. "I can see about coming back afterwards if it's not too late."

"You'd do that?" Darla asked.

Hans shrugged. "I'll see. I can't make any promises."

Darla closed her eyes and laid back.

"Excuse me," Liam said to Hans. "I need to reach her."

Hans stood back and glared at him.

"I ate all my food," Darla said to Liam. "Like a good little girl."

Liam grinned. "Glad to hear that."

"Well, I have a very stubborn and firm healer," Darla said. "I don't want to be on his bad side."

"That's good advice," Liam teased her.

"I'm just going to check in with the photographer," Hans said. "I'll be right back."

"Sure," Darla replied.

Hans stepped outside while Liam set up the monitor. Darla grinned when she heard her son's heartbeat fill the room. "You know? That's becoming my most favourite sound."

Liam grinned too. "Once you hear it..."

"It sounds good, doesn't it?" Darla asked.

Liam nodded. "You have a healthy boy."

Darla closed her eyes and smiled. "He's healthy."

"Very," Liam nodded. "That's an excellent heart rate."

Darla beamed at him. "Liam..."

"It's pretty incredible, isn't it?" Liam smiled at her.

"It is," Darla said instinctively reaching for his hand.

Liam squeezed her fingers as Hans walked back in the room.

"Dar?" Hans asked looking at the two of them. "What's going on?"

Darla smiled. "Listen, Hans. That's the baby's heart..."

Hans stopped in his tracks. "That's Rafe?"

"That's him," Darla grinned. "Liam says his heartbeat is healthy."

"Wow," Hans said. "That's... that's..."

"Incredible," Darla finished for him.

"Yeah," he admitted.

Liam stood back suddenly feeling like an outsider. He wanted to give the couple a chance to experience this together, even though, he didn't think Hans Feinbach deserved it.

Darla reached for her husband. "That's our son, Hans."

Hans kissed her. "That's our boy."

Darla's eyes welled up with tears.

"Babe, don't cry," Hans said softly.

"I can't help it," Darla whimpered.

There were tears in Hans' eyes too as he listened to his son's heartbeat. He sat down on the edge of her bed.

Darla watched him. This was the husband she had married- and the man she had fallen in love with.

"Rafe Feinbach," Hans whispered. "Listen to you."

"He's so perfect," Darla sobbed.

"Sweetheart," Hans said putting his arm around her.

"I know," Darla wiped her eyes.

"Now, we'll need to listen to your heart," Liam said stepping forward again.

"Okay," Darla said.

Liam listened to Darla's heartbeat while a nurse took her blood pressure. "Darla, your blood pressure is rather high..."

"What does that mean?" Hans demanded.

"High blood pressure can be dangerous for the mother and the baby," Liam tried to explain. "I've read through her charts and this wasn't a pre-existing condition. But, some women develop it during their pregnancy. We'll want to monitor it and do what we can to prevent preeclampsia."

Preeclampsia?" Darla asked in a panic.

"It's okay, Darla," Liam told her. "We can monitor this and do what we can to keep your blood pressure down."

"Are you sure?" Darla asked, her hand on her stomach.

"Yes," Liam nodded. "Lots of mothers have this."

Darla felt slightly reassured.

"But they're going to be okay, right?" Hans asked. "She and the baby?"

"Long as we have regular visits, then yes." Liam said. "I can keep track of things that way."

"Maybe we should have Lizzy take a look at this," Hans said.

"Liam is just as good a Healer as Lizzy," Darla said.

"Thank you, Darla," Liam said. "But, if you'd feel more comfortable with Lizzy..."

Darla shook her head. "No, I want you."

Hans clenched his fists.

"I'll start you on some meds that will regulate your blood pressure," Liam said reaching for her chart. "And we'll keep watch overnight. Tomorrow, if everything checks out okay, we can release you, but I want you to take it easy the next few days."

"Okay," Darla agreed.

"And don't worry about this," Liam told her. "You let me worry about it, okay?"

"I'll try," Darla promised.

"I'll be right back," Liam told her. "I'm going to start you on those meds."

"Okay," Darla agreed. "Thanks."

"I still think we should change healers," Hans said when they were alone. "Lizzy's the best there is, Darla."

"I like to stay with one throughout whatever I'm going through," Darla said stubbornly. "Lizzy understands."

"I don't like him," Hans said.

"You don't have to," Darla replied.

Hans decided to drop it for now. He didn't want to upset her.

"Hans," Darla said. "I'm just glad you're here. It makes me feel better than I have all day."

"Darla," Hans said. "I--I have to go..."

"Hans you just got here..." Darla complained.

"The shoot," Hans said. "I'm sorry---"

Darla sighed.

"I'll be back as soon as it's over," Hans promised.

"Sure," Darla looked away.

"Your mum is here and I'm sure Drew will be here soon," Hans tried to reassure her.

"Of course," Darla still didn't look at him.

Hans squeezed her hand. "You're not even going to notice I'm gone..."

"Just go if it's so important," Darla replied.

"Darla---" Hans started to say. "Come on..."

"You can't even stay with your wife and son," Darla said.

"I can," Hans said. "I just---I have to go for now."

Darla didn't say anything else, just closed her eyes.

"I love you," Hans said putting his hand to Darla's stomach. "You and Rafe."

Darla's eyes filled with tears again.

"I'll be back," Hans said. "I promise."

"Okay," she whispered.

Hans gave her one last look before he hurried out of the room.

Darla bit her lower lip as Liam came back in.

"I've got---Darla?" Liam asked.

"Yeah?" she wiped her eyes.

"Are you okay?" Liam asked gently.

"I'm fine," Darla said.

"You are a horrible liar," Liam said sitting down beside her bed. "I saw your husband..."

"Don't worry about it," Darla said quietly.

"Okay," Liam said handing her a glass of water and two capsules. "Take these."

Darla swallowed them without a word.

"They'll help you sleep," Liam told her. "This is the best thing for you right now."

"Right," Darla nodded.

"I can stay until your mum gets back," Liam offered.

"You don't have to--" Darla began.

Liam sat down. "I know I don't have to. I want to."

"Thanks," Darla said softly.

"I should be thanking you," Liam said. "If it weren't for you, I'd be in some boring staff meeting right now. Listening to people drone on and on about how onion root could possibly prevent the common cold."

Darla laughed. "Are you serious?"

Liam nodded. "I wish I wasn't. The last one of those lasted six hours with no break."

"That's awful," Darla grimaced.

"So, no matter how much you beg and plead for me to let you sit in on one," Liam said with a grin. "I'm not going to put you through that."

"Somehow I'll survive," Darla replied.

"I'm sure you've had to sit through some boring meetings in your job," Liam said leaning back in his chair.

"Not so much boring, but just... eventful," Darla replied.

Liam laughed. "Well, I might like to sit in on one of those."

"You'd have a better time," Darla grinned.

"Without a doubt," Liam grinned back at her. He was happy to see her feeling calm and relaxed again. "So, what was it like growing up with all your brothers and sisters?"

"Crazy," Darla replied. "Jon and Josh, when we were young kids, used to switch on me and Drew."

Liam laughed. "Really? And you never figured it out?"

"Oh we did," Darla answered. "And we gave it back to them."

"So, you and Drew used to switch, too?" Liam asked.

"We did," Darla nodded. "We used to be completely identical."

"You didn't do that to your poor boyfriends, did you?" Liam asked her and laughed when Darla couldn't look at him. "Darla. I thought you were a shy, innocent little girl. And here you are pulling tricks on poor, unsuspecting blokes..."

"It was only a few times," Darla blushed.

Liam shook his head.

"You're intrigued," she said. "I can tell."

"Very," Liam replied. "Tell me."

Darla laughed. "It was during Hogwarts. Drew and I were seeing these blokes from Ravenclaw... and one Hogsmeade weekend we decided to switch and see if they could figure it out."

"Did they?" Liam asked.

"Nope," Darla shook her head.

"How thick can you get?" Liam asked. "I mean, you and your sister might have been identical, but there are differences..."

"You notice?" Darla asked. "I mean... we both wore our hair the same back then, but we look different now..."

Liam nodded. "You have a gold tint to your eyes. And your eyes crinkle at the corners when you laugh and when you're more reserved than your sister..."

Darla blushed. "I can't believe you noticed that..."

Liam turned red, too, when he'd realised what he's said. "I--I'm very observant."

"That’s why you're a good Healer," Darla told him.

Liam smiled at her. "Thanks."

Darla rubbed her stomach. "Rafe's getting hungry again, I think."

"I can ask the cafeteria to send something," Liam told her. "What would Rafe like?"

"Surprise us," Darla said.

Liam grinned. He pressed a button just above her bed. A hologram of a witch appeared. "Yes, Healer Thornhart?"

"Mrs. Feinbach would like the special," Liam told her.

"Coming right up," the witch replied.

The hologram disappeared and Darla looked at Liam. "The special?"

"You wanted to be surprised," he said with a grin.

Darla laughed. "So I did."

"You won't regret it," he promised. "If you do, I'll buy you something else."

"I'm holding you to that," Darla said. "In fact, I'd really like it if you ate with me. It's the least I can do to thank you for what you did."

"Are you sure?" Liam asked.

"Weasleys very rarely share their food so you shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth," Darla replied.

Liam laughed. "All right then. I'm honoured. But I insist on a second dinner- you need all your nourishment."

"Yes, sir," Darla said giving him a salute with her hand.

Liam got back on and ordered himself something to eat and the kitchens promised to send up the meal with Darla's.

Luna stood just outside the door. She'd arrived back a few minutes earlier and was happy to hear her daughter’s laughter. What surprised her though was that Hans wasn't in the room anymore. Darla was laughing with Liam.

"I'll get you some water," Liam was saying, taking the cup from her table.

"Thank you, Healer Thornhart," Darla said in a pitch-perfect imitation of the cafeteria witch.

"Very funny," Liam disappeared into the loo as Luna came into the room.

"Hi, Mum," Darla said smiling at her. "Is everything okay?"

Luna nodded. "You look much better now, baby."

"I'm feeling much better," Darla said. "Is everything okay with Daddy?"

"He's fine," Luna nodded. "He'll be by in a bit."

Liam came back into the room and handed Darla a glass of water. "Mrs. Weasley. Can I get you anything?"

"No, thank you," Luna replied.

"Liam ordered something for me called 'the special'," Darla told her mother. "I'm a little concerned, but he's promised that I'll like it."

"If you don't like it, you know your father will eat it," Luna told her.

"She's going to love it," Liam said just as the witch appeared with a covered tray. "Ah, thank you, Millie."

"That does smell good," Darla admitted, pulling herself up into a sitting position.

Liam lifted the lid on the first plate. "Shepherd's pie."

"Ohhh," Darla said. "Yum!"

"Vegetables," Liam lifted the next lid. "And last but not least, treacle tart."

"You weren't kidding," Darla said, grabbing her fork.

"Oh, ye of little faith," Liam teased.

"Very funny," Darla attacked her meal hungrily.

Liam laughed. "That's what we like to see."

"We're going to enjoy every bite," Darla said.

"Are you sure you don't want anything?" Liam asked Luna.

"I had something at home," Luna said. "You two enjoy your dinner."

Darla practically swooned as she took another bite of her dinner. "This is absolutely amazing."

Liam smiled. "Good to see you eating it all. I'm sure Rafe is enjoying it as well."

"He loves everything, except for radishes," Darla winced. "They do not agree with me at all. I even got nauseous the other day when mum wore her radish earrings."

"Really..." Liam said.

"I was wondering why you were looking at me so strangely the other day," Luna said laughing.

"I felt silly saying something," Darla said sheepishly.

Luna sat down at the foot of her daughter's bed. "You can tell me anything," Luna said patting her daughter's leg.

"I know," Darla said.

Luna watched the two of them as they ate dinner and talked and joked with each other.

She sensed a closeness between her daughter and this Healer and wondered what it might mean for Darla's relationship with Hans.

253. Chapter 253

Authors’ note: Thanks for the feedback, guys! We appreciate the comments! This next chapter continues with Hans and Darla. Also---you get to see what the Hogwarts crew is up to!

Back in New York City, Hans was getting dressed and wrestling with his decision to leave Darla.

A knock at his door startled him. "Come in."

Katya came in wearing her costume for the shoot---a black cocktail dress. The dress left little to the imagination and she looked dressed to kill. "They are nearly ready for us," she said smiling at him. "I came to see if you needed any help getting out of your clothes..."

"I'm fine," Hans said. "Be out there in a minute."

"You sure you're okay?" Katya asked. "You look a little distracted."

"My wife's in the hospital," Hans told her.

"Oh," Katya said looking down. "Is she okay?"

"I hope so," Hans said. "I've got to get this done so I can get back to her."

"You said the two of you were having problems," Katya said touching his arm.

"We're trying to work things out," Hans told her. "Katya... I told you that."

"It must have slipped my mind," Katya said softly.

Hans looked at her properly. "What happened between us... it can't happen again."

"Hans," Katya said stepping closer. "You're not getting all moral on me now, are you?"

"Katya," he shook his head.

"I'm not asking you to leave her," Katya said. "We have fun together, Hans."

"It's not going to go as far as you want it to," Hans told her.

"How far do you think I want it to go?" Katya asked seductively.

"Too far," Hans looked properly at her.

"What she doesn't know can't hurt her," Katya said looping her arms around his neck.

Hans felt his resolve weaken. He wasn't quite sure what came over him whenever he was around Katya.

"I'm not asking for anything," Katya said looking up at him. "That's one of the things you said you liked most about me."

Hans pushed her away. "I can't do this. I can't do this to Darla."

"Hans," Katya pouted.

"She's going to have my child," Hans said.

This stopped Katya in her tracks. "What?"

"We're having a baby," Hans told her. "A son."

"How long have you known?" Katya asked.

"A month," Hans replied, buttoning up his shirt.

"Did you plan on telling me?" Katya asked.

"Why would it matter if I told you?" he asked.

"We're friends for one thing," Katya said.

"I was waiting until this whole marriage thing dies down," Hans explained.

"How noble of you," Katya said sarcastically.

"Look," Hans said impatiently. "Is this going to affect our shoot today?"

"I'm a professional," Katya said glaring at him.

"Good," Hans said shortly.

"Good," Katya said crisply. "I'll see you out there then."

Hans nodded before disappearing into the loo.

Katya slammed the door behind her.

"Bitch," he muttered.

He should have listened to his first instincts about his fellow model. He'd thought her to be vapid and shallow.

There was still something about her, though, he had to admit. She was sexy as hell.

Hans finished buttoning his shirt and stepped outside of his trailer.

"Hans!" Freddy snapped his fingers. "You're late!"

"Sorry," Hans muttered. "I'm here now. Let's do this."

Katya glared at him and Michaela grinned. "Trouble in paradise?"

"Shut up," Katya retorted.

"That's classy," Michaela situated herself on the chaise.

"Where's this wife of his anyway?" Katya asked aloud to no one in particular. "And if she's in the hospital, why isn't he with her?"

"Because he has to be here," Michaela tossed her black hair over her shoulders.

The stylist did some touch up work on Katya's makeup while Hans moved to stand over beside Michaela.

"How is Darla?" Michaela asked.

"She's resting," Hans replied. "Um, they think she has preeclampsia."

Michaela gaped at him. "Hans! Why aren't you with her?"

"I'm going back as soon as this is over," Hans said defensively.

"Good," Michaela sat back. "Hans... nothing in this world is as important as your wife and baby. No career is worth losing that."

Katya looked away.

"Especially for that," Michaela muttered.

"Michaela, could you come here for a moment?" the photographer called to her.

"Sure," Michaela got up.

Katya took Michaela's seat and tried to avoid looking at Hans.

Hans didn't talk to her either.

She finally turned and looked at him. "I hate this."

"What?" he asked.

"This," Katya replied motioning between the two of them. "This coldness. This awkwardness. I don't like feeling that way with you. The truth is..."

Hans looked at her but didn't say a word.

"The truth is," Katya said softly. "That I was starting to have feelings for you."

"I can't go there," Hans told her.

"So I mean nothing to you?" Katya asked.

"We can be friends," Hans told her.

"I don't want to be just your friend," Katya argued. "And if you were being honest with yourself, that's not all you want either."

"Katya," Hans shook his head.

The commercial's director came over and gave them a brief run through. "So, Hans, you're going to enter from that door...and Katya and Michaela you spot him from across the room. Hans...you see the two women, you cross the room...and kiss Katya."

Hans nodded, trying to look enthusiastic.

"This first one will be just for blocking purposes," the director told them. "Everyone, take your places..."

Katya felt triumphant that she'd get her moment in the spotlight with Hans. She planned on making it as passionate a clinch as possible.

"Down girl," Michaela whispered.

"You're just jealous," Katya hissed.

"Yes," Michaela rolled her eyes. "I so want to lust after a married man who has a baby on the way. It's very girl's dream."

Katya turned her back, tossing her blonde hair.

Hans blocked out what was going on back home in London and concentrated on getting the job done. He walked down the staircase and locked eyes with Katya.

"Good," the director called. "Katya, make eyes at him and wait for him to cross the room."

Katya did exactly as the director asked even though she wanted nothing more than to pounce on Hans.

Hans crossed the room, his eyes never breaking away from hers.

"Yes," the director encouraged. "Now...take her by the hand and pull her to you..."

Hans did as he was told, slowly lowering his lips to hers.

Katya's eyes never let his as she wrapped her arms around him.

"Now kiss her," the director nodded. "Very... very... good..."

"Merlin, help me," Hans thought, but did not say as Katya pressed herself against him.

He kept the kiss closed lipped, but tried to make it look passionate.

"Hold it," the director called out. "Hold it! We're trying to sell cologne here, Hans."

Hans pulled away. "I know."

"Then, make me believe it," the director demanded. "She's not your sister, Hans. Kiss her like you mean it."

He sighed. "Fine."

Katya grinned. "Hans knows what he has to do."

"And Katya knows what she doesn't need to do," Michaela cut in.

Katya glared in Michaela's direction.

Michaela smiled innocently.

The models took their places again.

"Make it look real this time," the director said, sitting back.

Katya smiled to herself. If he wanted real, she'd make sure he'd get real.

Hans straightened his back as the scene began again. He locked eyes with Katya and began to cross the room towards her.

Katya decided to improvise and instead of waiting for Hans, she stepped toward him.

He looked surprised, but kept in character as the two of them met in the middle of the room.

"Yes," the director urged. "Yes..."

Katya let her eyes go dreamy and unfocused as Hans reached for her.

His mouth claimed hers in a hot, hungry kiss.

"THAT'S IT!" the director shouted jubilantly. "PERFECT!"

Katya held on to him, not quite ready to let him go.

Hans tried to pull back but she wove her fingers into his hair.

Over in the corner, Michaela rolled her eyes.

Katya finally pulled away, blinking her eyes hazily.

"Excellent," the director told them both. "That was hot!"

"Yeah," Hans said, staring at Katya.

"Take five and then we're going to start shooting," the director told them.

"I could use something cold to drink," Katya fanned herself.

"Yeah," Hans muttered, running a hand through his hair.

Katya smiled at him before sauntering away.

Michaela came up behind Hans. "Why don't you call the hospital and check on Darla before we get started again?"

"You think I have time?" Hans asked, still staring after Katya.

"If you hurry," Michaela said. "Hans, Kat is playing you. You know just as well as I do."

"I know," Hans said. "This is just all so bloody new to me."

"Whatever this is between you and Katya has to stop if you want to make it work with Darla," Michaela said gently.

"You're right," Hans replied. "I know you're right. I'll be right back."

Michaela grinned. "I'm always right."

Hans smiled at her. "Thanks."

"Hurry," Michaela called after him.

Hans rushed into his dressing room and grabbed his mobile, punching in his wife's number. He hoped that the wards at the hospital wouldn't interfere with her phone.

Darla answered the phone. "Hello?"

"Hey baby," Hans said huskily.

"Hans," Darla said quietly. She sounded tired.

"Are you all right?" he asked.

"They---they gave me something to help me sleep," Darla said.

"And I woke you..." Hans said. "I'm sorry."

"....'s okay," Darla mumbled.

"We're going to shoot the commercial," Hans said. "I think we'll get it in one or two takes. I'm coming back there right after."

"Hmm?" Darla asked dazedly.

"I'm coming to stay with you after this is done," Hans repeated.

"P-promise?" Darla asked softly.

"I promise," Hans told her. "I love you."

"Nighty night," Darla said before the line went dead.

"Hans!" Freddy said from the door. "What are you doing?"

"Checking in with Darla," Hans said pocketing his mobile.

"We've got to get moving on this shoot," Freddy told him.

"I'm ready," Hans told him.

"Good," Freddy replied.

"Listen, Freddy," Hans said as they walked back toward the set. "I'm going to need a week off."

"What?" Freddy asked. "Hans- we have so much to do here- press for the cologne, another four photoshoots--"

"My wife is in hospital," Hans told him. "And she needs me."

"What's wrong with her?" Freddy asked.

"She was admitted this afternoon," Hans told him. "She fainted at work and they think she has preeclampsia. They're keeping her overnight."

Freddy nodded. "All right Hans... I'll see what I can do for you."

"Thanks," Hans said grinning at him. "I just need a week."

"Just nail this one down," Freddy told him. "Don't let Katya get to you. I know she comes on strong but she's damn good at what she does."

"Yeah," Hans nodded. "She is."

Freddy clapped him on the back.

Michaela walked over to him. "How is she?" \

"Sleeping," Hans said sheepishly.

"Rest is the best thing for her," Michaela reassured him.

"I know," Hans said. "I'm taking a week off after this to be with her."

"Good for you," Michaela said patting him on the back. "That's just what you need."

"Are we ready?" Katya purred.

"Yes we are," Michaela said. "The sooner we're finished, the sooner Hans can get started on his vacation."

"His what?" Katya's smile disappeared.

"Freddy's going to see if he can get a few days off for me," Hans said. "I really haven't had any time off since this all began."

"But we have so much to do," Katya objected.

"It's just a week," Hans told her.

"But--" Katya pouted.

"Come on, people!" the director announced. "Let's do this!"

Hans turned and went to the staircase in the corner.

"Just like the second practise shot," the director said. "Katya, your improv was brilliant, and I'd like to see it even more embellished than before."

"Absolutely," Katya said. She was determined to make this work and if all went well, Hans wouldn't even remember his wife's name let alone want to leave for a week.

Hans took a deep breath, straightening up his back as the makeup and hair people hurried to freshen his appearance.

"Cue the music," the director ordered. "Dim the lights..."

Hans got himself into character as he started down the staircase.

"Action," the director said.

Katya gave him such a sultry look that he almost stumbled down but stopped himself just in time.

Katya walked slowly toward him and hid a smile as she saw his eyes darken as he looked at her.

The two of them moved towards each other, meeting in the centre of the room.

"What do you want?" Katya asked him.

"You," he answered.

Again, she stifled a grin as he kissed her. She didn't think it was possible, but this kiss was even hotter than the first.

Hans briefly heard the voiceover talk about the perfume, but the undoubtedly male part of him was taking over his body at the moment.

Katya was breathless by the time the director yelled cut.

"You two NAILED it!" the director said happily.

"One take!" Freddy exclaimed. "That was perfect."

"It certainly was," Katya said.

"K-Katya," Hans stammered.

"Yes..." she said, running her fingers through his hair.

"That was incredible," Hans said.

"You were incredible," Katya said in a low voice.

She took his hand and guided it exactly where she wanted it. "Katya..."

"You have got to be kidding me," Michaela cut in.

Hans pulled away from Katya.

"Meet me in my dressing room," Katya whispered. "We can celebrate."

He stared at her for a moment. "I... I have... to go."

"So do I," Katya grinned squeezing his hand. "I'll be waiting..."

"No," he said. "To Darla."

"When you change your mind, you know where I'm at," Katya said before sauntering off.

"Good for you," Michaela said approvingly.

"You're like the little angel on my shoulder," Hans told her. "Reminding me to do good."

Michaela laughed. "Go on!"

"Yes, go," Freddy told him. "You have five days, Hans. Keep your phone on in case there's an emergency."

"Thanks," Hans said. "I appreciate it."

Hans felt better than he had in weeks as he sprinted back to his dressing room. He was going to get out of these clothes and apparate back to London to be with his wife. He didn't care if she was sleeping. He would lie in bed beside her and hold her close.

He flung open the door and began stuffing clothes into his bag.

Hans caught sight of the sonogram photograph Darla had given him. "Rafe," Hans said softly. "My boy. Our boy."

Every time he looked at it, he was reminded that a part of him and Darla was growing inside his wife.

Hans pocketed the photograph and grabbed his bag.

"Remind me why you're leaving?" Katya asked from the doorway.

Hans sighed. "Kat, you know why."

"We just had a hell of a moment out there," Katya said. "You can't deny it."

"I'm not denying it," Hans told her. "Look, I told you that what happened between us...it was a mistake. I'm married."

"All we did was kiss a few times," Katya reminded him. "And I spent the night."

"It can't go any further than that," Hans told her. "No matter how much we---how much you---want it to."

Katya shook her head. "You want this as bad as I do."

"I can't," Hans argued.

"But you're not denying that you don't want me," she said, pressing up against him.

"I do," Hans said, his bag dropping to the floor.

"Then stay," she said softly.

"Katya," Hans groaned.

"Stay," Katya repeated. "I want you, Hans."

His eyes darkened as he watched her reach behind her back and unzip her dress.

She let it fall to her feet, standing in front of him in nothing but her undergarments.

"Kat," Hans whispered.

"Yes," she purred.

"I-I have to go," Hans stammered, but he didn't move.

"You can't deny this," she breathed.

Hans tried very hard to summon his willpower.

"Stay," she whispered again.

Hans kissed her hard on the lips.

Katya moaned triumphantly.

She fumbled with the buttons of his shirt, eager to feel his skin on her fingertips.

Hans summoned every last ounce of integrity he had left and pushed her away.

Katya looked at him. "What? What's wrong now?"

"I can't do this to her," Hans said. "I can't. Anything we have going on here... it's over. It can't happen again. Ever."

Instead of getting angry at him, she laughed. "That's what you said the last time...and I spent the night at your place."

"We didn't do anything," he reminded her.

"We came close," Katya said reaching for her dress. "Very, very close..."

"Too close," Hans said. "I can't do this."

Katya rolled her eyes. "Don't you get tired of singing that same old song...?”

"No," Hans said shortly.

"Will you zip me up?" Katya asked turning around and pulling her hair over her shoulders.

He hesitated, but zipped up the back of her dress.

"Thanks, "Katya said turning around and looking at him.”Give your wife my best."

Hans looked at her before brushing past and hurrying out the door.

He waited until he was outside and out of sight before Apparating. All he needed to clear his head was to see his wife. Darla. Darla deserved better.

Hans ran his hands through his hair. He felt like such a cad for even kissing Katya.

It was around 2 a.m. in England when Hans returned. St. Mungos was quiet and practically deserted. The nurse at the front desk looked up at him. "Visiting hours are over, sir."

"My wife is here for observation," Hans replied.

"What's her name?" the nurse asked him.

"Darla Feinbach," he answered.

The nurse consulted her charts. "Room 423."

"Thank you," Hans said, grabbing his bag and heading upstairs.

On his way, he transfigured a couple of magazines into a bouquet of sunflowers, Darla's favourite.

He came to her room and gently eased the door open, trying to keep quiet in case she was still sleeping.

He'd expected to see Drew or one of Darla's parents sitting with her, but to his dismay, Darla's healer was sitting at her bedside.

"Can I help you?" Hans asked.

Liam looked up from the book he was reading. "Mr. Feinbach?"

"Yeah," Hans said coolly.

"Her mother had to leave," Liam said keeping his voice down. "And her sister couldn't stay because her little girl is sick. Darla woke up and asked if I would read to her until she fell back asleep."

"Looks like she's sleeping to me," Hans put his bag down.

Liam closed his book and stood up. "She just fell asleep a few minutes ago."

"I can take care of her from here on out," Hans said.

"Of course," Liam said, nodding. "She'll be very happy to see you."

"Good," Hans took Liam's vacated seat. "Have a nice night."

"You too," Liam said, looking as if he wanted to say something else.

Hans turned to his wife taking her hand in his.

"Liam?" Darla whispered.

"Hey baby," Hans whispered, choosing to ignore that she'd asked for that bloke rather than him.

Darla blinked. "Hans? W-what are you doing here?"

"I came to be with you," Hans said.

Darla smiled sleepily at him. "For how long?"

"The next five days," he grinned.

Darla grinned. "Really?"

"I'm all yours," Hans said softly.

Darla looked dazedly at him. She was still a little out of it from the medication. "Come closer..."

"You need something baby?" he asked.

"I want you to hold me," Darla said softly.

"Anything," Hans said.

Darla wasn't sure if she wasn't still dreaming. "You smell really good," she said laughing a little as she climbed into the bed with her.

"It's that cologne," Hans said.

Darla rested her head on his shoulder. "It smells really good."

"Glad you like it," he kissed the side of her head.

"Hospitals aren't that bad," Darla said as she closed her eyes again.

"No?" he asked, stroking her hair back.

"Liam was very nice to me," Darla said softly.

"You don't say," Hans replied unenthusiastically.

"And Drew and Mum too," Darla said too sleepy to notice the change in his tone.

"I'm glad they were here," Hans said.

"How was your shoot?" Darla asked.

"It went well," Hans told her. "A couple practise shots, then the real commercial only took one shoot."

Darla smiled. "That's great."

"I was thinking of you the whole time," he said, wishing he wasn't lying.

Darla squeezed his hand. "Thanks, Liam."

"What?" he asked.

"Hmmm?" Darla murmured.

"You called me Liam," Hans pointed out.

"I-I'm sorry," Darla apologised. "I'm feeling so..."

Hans let the matter drop. "If you're tired, just sleep. I'll be here."

Darla smiled sleepily at him. "Don't go."

"I won't," Hans kissed her lightly.

He put his hand on Darla's stomach and smiled as he thought about his son.

"I wonder if he can hear us," Darla murmured, almost inaudibly.

"Of course he can," Hans replied. "Rafe, this is your dad. How are you doing in there, mate?"

Darla smiled.

"I hope that you take it easier on your mum," Hans said. "You've made her throw up just a little too much..."

Darla laughed softly. "Just a bit..."

"To make up for it," Hans said winking at his wife. "Your mum and I would appreciate it if you'd sleep through the night and never have any dirty nappies..."

"Wishful thinking," Darla rested her head on his shoulder.

"He's going to be great," Hans started to say. "Dar---I think he just kicked...."

"You think so?" Darla asked.

Hans nodded. "Not that I'm an expert, but it sure felt like it..."

"Let me feel," Darla said.

Hans put her hand where he'd felt Rafe's kick. "There..."

Darla closed her eyes while they waited to see if their son would move again.

"I know I felt it," Hans told her.

"I don't--" Darla began.

Just then, she felt it. She met Hans' gaze and grinned. "That was it!"

"Yeah it was," Hans grinned back at her. "Perhaps he's a footballer."

Darla laughed. "Maybe..."

Hans pulled her close again. "Our boy."

"I'm so happy you were here for this," Darla said.

"Me too," Hans said honestly.

Darla gave him a kiss. She could sense something different about him tonight, but she wasn't sure what it was.

"Go back to sleep," Hans said softly. "I promise not to leave."

"You mean it this time?" Darla asked.

"I promise," Hans said.

Darla closed her eyes.

Hans stroked back her hair and kissed her forehead.

He was going to have a long talk with Darla tomorrow. He'd convince her to come back to New York with him so she could see firsthand how great it was and how great it could be. Having her around would hopefully keep Katya at bay. He would convince his wife that New York was a wonderful place to raise their son.

*** *** ***

It was nearing the end of their second year at Hogwarts, and while most students were studying, Zander, Evan and Sam were playing Exploding Snap in the common room.

"I can't wait to ask Brit to Hogsmeade next year," Evan was saying.

"You think you'll still be with her?" Sam asked rolling his eyes.

"Sure," Evan shrugged.

Zander threw down a card. "Go, Ev."

"Sure," Evan studied his cards a moment then tossed one down.

Sam looked at his two roommates before he threw down the winning card, causing Evan and Zander's cards to explode.

"Bloody hell," Evan said. "I give."

"How about we bet for real?" Sam suggested.

"I don't have much money," Zander said. "Only a few Galleons."

Sam laughed. "That's right. You want to keep that money so you can take Malfoy out on a date, right?"

"Shut it," Zander glared at him. "Ashley and I are friends."

"Then why do you say her name in your sleep?" Sam asked sarcastically. "Oh, Ashley...Oh, Oh, Ashley!"

"I do not!" Zander denied emphatically.

"Drop it," Evan told Sam while they waited for the cards to shuffle themselves.

Sam smirked. "I'm not the one falling all over my friends."

"Let's just play, alright?" Zander asked.

"So I can beat the trousers off you both again," Sam grabbed the cards.

"Deal," Zander said.

Sam laughed. "You WANT me to win?"

"No, deal the cards," Zander grumbled.

Sam glared at him and started tossing the cards at him and Evan.

"Hey," Brittany said from behind them.

Evan turned and grinned at her. "Hey, Brit."

"Murray, you're here in time to see me win again," Sam said to her. "Where's your friend?"

"What?" Brittany asked.

"Ashley," Sam said studying his cards. "Where's the lovely Miss Malfoy?"

"She's on her way up," Brittany flopped down on the sofa behind Evan. "Why do you care?"

"I wasn't asking for me," Sam said looking at Zander. "Right, Zander?"

Zander tossed down a card. "Just play."

"It's really nice out," Brittany told them. "I love spring!"

"We could go for a walk later," Evan gave her a lazy grin.

Brittany grinned back at him. "I'd love that."

"After this game," he promised.

Ashley stepped into the common room, hugging her sketch book to her. She caught sight of her friends and walked over to them. "Who's winning?"

"Me," Sam said smugly. "Again."

"Great," Ashley said trying to catch Zander's eye, but he was too preoccupied with the game apparently.

"I'm an expert at this game," Sam bragged.

"And so modest too," Brittany said sarcastically.

Ashley sat down. "Look at the sketches I just did," she showed Brittany.

"Oooh," Brittany said eagerly. She saw the sketch her friend had drawn of Hogwarts' groundskeeper and Care of Magical Creatures professor. "Did you show Hagrid?"

"Not yet," Ashley said.

"He's going to love that," Brittany told her.

"Zander," Ashley said. "Want to go down and see Hagrid with me after you're done?"

"Yeah, Zander," Sam grinned as he threw a card down on the pile. "Don't you want to take a stroll with Ashley?"

"I can't," Zander muttered. "I have an essay to do."

"Oh," Ashley said quietly. "Do you need some help?"

"I've got it," Zander threw a card down.

Sam looked a little worried. Murray was actually winning this hand.

"I'm out," Evan shook his head.

Brittany patted his arm reassuringly. "It's okay. I still like you."

Evan grinned at her. "How about that walk?"

"Don't go yet," Sam warned. "I'm just getting started.

"I'm done playing," Evan told him.

"We'll catch up with you lot later," Brittany said following Evan. Ashley sat down in Brittany's vacated seat. She watched as Zander studied his cards intently, deciding on his next move.

"That would be a good one," she pointed.

Zander had been thinking the same thing, but he didn't even look at her as he threw down the card.

Ashley sat back, not sure what was going on. Why was Zander ignoring her? Had she done something wrong?

"I'm going to take two cards," Sam said taking them from the deck.

"Whatever," Zander muttered.

Ashley sighed. "I guess I'm going to go down to Hagrid's now."

"Have fun," Zander tossed down another card.

Ashley looked at him one more time before she grabbed her sketch book and left the common room. Zander had never acted like this in front of her, not even during that awkward time after their kiss.

"Trouble in paradise?" Sam jeered.

"No," Zander retorted throwing another card down.

"Normally you can't take your eyes off her," Sam said snidely.

"Drop it, okay?" Zander asked.

Sam grabbed another card from the deck.

Zander felt a pang of guilt as he remembered the look on Ashley's face.

"I can't believe you're winning," Sam grumbled.

"You going to keep talking or lay down a card?" Zander asked him.

Sam angrily threw one down.

Zander grinned and threw down his winning card. He watched Sam's face as the cards exploded.

Sam got to his feet. "You cheated."

"I didn't," Zander said. "I won it fair, Sam."

"Yeah right," he snapped.

"I'll leave you to clean up," Zander said with a grin.

He left the Common Room laughing as Sam gathered the cards together.

He wanted to catch up to Ashley to tell her about his win.

He hurried downstairs and out of the castle towards Hagrid's hut. He could see her blonde hair in the distance and increased his pace.

"Ash!" Zander called out to her.

He saw her stop and he ran the rest of the way to her.

Ashley eyed him warily. "What?"

"I beat Sam," Zander told her excitedly. "You should have seen the look on his face. I just left him there to clean up the debris!"

"That's good," Ashley said, turning away and walking towards the hut.

"Ash, what's wrong?" Zander asked.

"You tell me," Ashley replied.

"Oh," Zander said looking down at the ground. "I wasn't ignoring you up there, Ash. Sam was just being a wanker..."

"So Sam being a wanker means you're a wanker to me," Ashley said flatly.

"Ash," Zander said looking properly at her. "I'm sorry."

Ashley looked back at him. This was the first time they'd ever even come close to fighting and she didn't like it.

"He said some stuff and I shouldn't have let it get to me," Zander said.

"You're right," Ashley said. "Sam's an idiot."

"Loser idiot," Zander corrected.

Ashley smiled. "Right."

"Can I see your sketch?" Zander asked.

"Sure," Ashley handed him her sketchbook. "It's on the last page."

Zander turned the page and grinned when he saw the sketch Ashley had done of Hagrid. "He didn't know you were doing it?"

"He was sitting with some of those creatures," Ashley shook her head. "And I hid behind his giant pumpkin patch."

"He's going to love it," Zander told her.

"I hope so," Ashley replied, taking back her book as they began walking again.

"So, how long were you out here sketching?" Zander asked her. "You disappeared after lunch..."

"I think it was around three hours," Ashley confessed.

"You lost track of time again, didn't you?" Zander teased.

"Yeah," she grinned. "I can't help it!"

"Who am I to judge?" Zander asked nudging her. "I can spend hours at the piano..."

"When are you going to write something new?" Ashley asked.

"During the hols probably," Zander said. "I've been toying with a few things..."

"When do I get to hear?" Ashley asked.

"Soon," Zander promised. He let her lead the way toward Hagrid's hut.

“Is it like the other one you wrote for me?” Ashley asked him.

Zander nodded, but didn't tell her it was about her. Almost everything he wrote these days was about or inspired by her.

"Then I'm sure it'll be fantastic," Ashley said loyally.

Zander grinned. "You do wonders for my ego, you realise that right?"

"That's why we're best friends," Ashley bumped his shoulder with hers.

Zander bumped her back. "That and you forgive me for acting like a wanker."

"Yes well... I know that's not you." Ashley replied, looking at him.

Zander looked back at her. "I shouldn't listen to Sam of all people, anyway."

"I don't know what his problem is," Ashley said. "Why's he always so mean?"

Zander shrugged. "I don't know. I keep thinking there must be something redeeming about him if he's friends with Evan. But, they've known each other since they were kids."

"Maybe that's it," Ashley shook her head.

Hagrid was just coming down the steps of his hut when he spotted the two of them.

"Hi Hagrid!" Ashley waved to him.

Hagrid grinned and waved back at Zander and Ashley. "Ash has something to show you, Hagrid!" Zander called out.

"What's that?" Hagrid asked.

Ashley opened her sketchbook and handed it to him. It looked miniscule in his hands. "I did it earlier..."

Hagrid beamed. "That's me there! Looks like a photograph!"

Ashley grinned. "Do you like it?"

"Love it," Hagrid said, his eyes growing teary.

Ashley gave him a hug. She'd loved Hagrid from the moment she'd met him and she felt guilty for not coming to see him more often this past term. She'd seen him in class, but it wasn't really the same.

Zander grinned. "Told you he'd like it."

"Come on inside," Hagrid motioned for them. "I just made some rock cakes..."

"Rock cakes?" Zander asked uncertainly.

Ashley grabbed him by the arm. "They're not that bad if you take small bites. Come on..."

Zander turned red when she slid her hand down from his arm and grasped his fingers with hers.

Ashley didn't notice this as she pulled him inside Hagrid's home. Hagrid chuckled to himself as he cut them each a slice of cake. "I remember all too well your granddad and Ron Weasley coming down here to visit me. Of course, they used to break a thousand rules...I shouldn't have said that. Should not have said that..."

Ashley giggled. "It's okay, Hagrid. I know all about it."

"Ash, Brit and me have broken a couple since we've been here," Zander said sitting down on one of the large chairs.

"Don't tell me," Hagrid said quickly, making Ashley laugh.

Zander looked uncertainly at the slice of cake that Hagrid set before him.

"It's good," Ashley whispered. "Just take little bites." she demonstrated.

Zander followed her lead and it wasn't that bad, but it was quite hard. "Guess what, Ash?"

"What?" she asked.

"Brit doesn't know this and I'm not supposed to say anything," Zander said. "But, guess who is getting braces the first week of summer hols?"

Ashley's jaw dropped. "No way!"

Zander nodded. "Yeah, my mum told me in the last letter she sent to me. Apparently, my aunt and uncle know she's going to freak out so they haven't told her yet."

"She'll still look good," Ashley replied. "And her smile will be so pretty when she gets them off."

"Yeah, but you know how she is," Zander told her.

"Only too well," Ashley nodded.

"Maybe I should get some of those," Hagrid said offering them a smile.

Ashley laughed. "They're pretty small, Hagrid. And you could probably just do it with magic."

"Olympe likes me as I am," Hagrid said, his cheeks turning a little red as he thought of the headmistress of Beauxbatons.

"Olympe?" Zander asked.

"Headmistress," Hagrid mumbled.

"His girlfriend," Ashley told Zander.

"Oh," Zander nodded.

"They've been together for how many years now, Hagrid?" Ashley asked the half-giant.

"Quite a few," Hagrid nodded, looking over at a photo of Olympe. "Since they came here when your grandfather was in his fourth year."

"That's a long time!" Zander exclaimed, before he could stop himself. Ashley kicked him under the table. "Ouch!"

"Did Fang Jr. bite you?" Hagrid asked, concerned.

"Um, no," Zander said hastily. "I think I stubbed my toe on the table leg."

"Okay," Hagrid nodded. "He's had a little nipping problem lately."

"I think it's great that you've been with Madam Maxime that long," Ashley told Hagrid.

Hagrid blushed again.

"Are you spending the summer together?" Ashley asked him. "Grandpa said you might be going to France..."

"Yes," Hagrid said, turning an even deeper shade of red.

Ashley beamed at him. "It's such a romantic country, Hagrid. You're going to have a great time."

"France is pretty cool," Zander agreed.

"It is," Ashley said thinking about the time when her grandmother had taken her to the Louvre for the first time.

Hagrid stood up as Ashley and Zander finished their cakes. "I've got to feed the flobberworms out back."

"We should be going," Ashley said. "Thanks for the snack, Hagrid."

"Anytime," Hagrid said. "And thank you for the drawing."

"Of course," Ashley said giving him one last hug before she and Zander left. When they were alone, Ashley looked apologetically at him. "I'm sorry about kicking you. How's your shin?"

"Probably bruised," he teased her.

Ashley laughed. "What can I do to make it up to you, Mr. Murray?"

"Draw me something new." Zander replied.

"Like what?" Ashley asked linking her arm in his.

Zander could hardly breathe. "Um... you pick."

"Maybe I'll catch you when you're flying," Ashley said. Her friend was already flying every chance he had in preparation for next year's tryouts for the house team.

"That'd be cool," Zander agreed.

Ashley grinned at him. "And if you're really nice to me, I'll frame it, too."

"I'm always really nice," Zander looked at her.

"You have your moments," Ashley teased.

"I guess," Zander said. "Hey look... there's Brit and Evan."

"Let's catch up to them," Ashley said still holding on to his arm.

"Okay," Zander agreed.

"Hi, guys," Evan said when he spotted them.

Brittany turned around. "What are you two doing here?" her eyes fell on their linked arms.

"We were just visiting with Hagrid," Ashley said. "I showed him my sketch. He loved it."

"Cool," Brittany replied.

"Something you want to tell us?" Evan teased.

"What?" Ashley asked.

Evan motioned toward their linked arms.

"Oh..." Ashley said. "Um... no."

Zander dropped his arm. "Guess who cleaned Sam's clock at Exploding Snap?"

Evan laughed. "You finally got him, eh?"

"Slaughtered him," Zander said proudly. "Even made him clean it up when we were finished."

Brittany laughed. "Too bad we didn't stick around for that."

"He hates to lose," Evan said. "We're going to have to listen to him complain that you cheated, Zander."

Zander shrugged. "He's a pain."

"He's not so bad," Evan said in his friend's defence.

"He's always just so rude to everyone else." Zander replied.

"I'm surprised they didn't place him in Slytherin with how he is," Brittany commented.

"Come on guys," Evan said. "He's still my mate."

"I'm sorry, Evan," Brittany apologised. "You're right."

Ashley nodded. "We won't say anything more about him."

"Thanks," Evan told them. They walked in companionable silence toward the castle. "What are you doing for summer hols, Ash?" Evan asked her.

"Probably going back to Brighton," Ashley replied. "I want to spend time with my aunt, uncle, and my new cousin Kiera too."

"Brit, what have you got planned for the summer?" Zander asked sharing a knowing look with Ashley.

"I don't know yet," Brittany said. "I'm sure we'll be stuck together as always."

"Gee, thanks," Zander said sarcastically.

"And I'm sure I'll see Evan at least a few times," Brittany grinned.

"Of course," Evan said reaching for her hand. "And we'll owl each other."

"Every day," Brittany said dreamily.

"Brighton," Zander said to Ashley. "Um...your parents are okay going back there after what happened last summer?"

Ashley nodded. "We don't blame the place for what happened, it was that creep Gordon."

"I imagine it would be hard for your aunt though," Brittany said thoughtfully.

"Maybe," Ashley said. "But she'll have Andrew there with her."

Brittany grinned. "Talk about instant comfort. He. Is. So. Hot."

"Brit," Zander shook his head.

"I'm just saying," Brittany laughed. "Not that he can hold a candle to Evan."

Zander and Ashley laughed as Evan turned three shades of red at Brittany's compliment.

Brittany linked her arm in Evan's and rested her head on his shoulder.

"Shall we leave you two alone?" Zander asked dryly.

Ashley giggled. "Maybe we should..."

"I really do have an essay to work on," Zander said regretfully. "I should get back upstairs."

"Me too," Ashley said. "I can help you."

"That'd be great," Zander said.

"Evan and I are going to the library if you want to join us later," Brittany told them.

"Maybe we'll see you there," Ashley said.

Brittany waved to her best friend and cousin before she and Evan headed toward the library. "You're not really mad are you about what I said about Andrew Kirke, are you?"

"No," Evan replied.

"Good," Brittany said. "Because I know you fancy Serena Starr and Leanna Leveaux."

Evan laughed. "They're sort of those fantasy people you only wish you could get close to."

"Exactly," Brittany said grinning at him.

"We think alike," Evan said.

Brittany thought so too, but she did see the one thing they differed on when they saw Sam in the library. She knew Evan would want to sit with his best mate.

Indeed, he was tugging at her hand. "Come on."

Brittany sighed and reluctantly followed him.

"What's up?" Evan asked Sam when they got closer.

"I'm working on that stupid essay," Sam muttered.

"I got mine done yesterday," Evan said.

"I still have to work on mine," Brittany said. "What are you writing yours on, Sam?"

"Spells and how they can backfire," Sam answered.

"That's an interesting topic," Brittany said diplomatically. She was trying because Evan and Sam were friends. Otherwise, she wouldn't give him the time of day.

"It's boring," Sam said flatly.

"The sooner you stop complaining about it, the quicker you'll finish," Evan told him.

"Is that why you're here?" Sam asked. "To lecture me?"

"He was just trying to help," Brittany retorted. "What's your problem?"

"I didn't ask for your opinion," Sam glared at her.

Evan sighed. "Come on."

Brittany glared at Sam as Evan took her hand and led her away.

"I really tried," Brittany told him. "But he's impossible!"

"I know," Evan answered quietly.

"What's his story by the way?" Brittany asked. "I'm not going to tell anyone..."

Evan shrugged.

"You can tell me," Brittany cajoled.

"His mum died when he was four," Evan told her. "It's just him and his dad and his dad isn't really the greatest bloke in the world, if you know what I mean..."

"Oh," Brittany said softly.

"I know it's no excuse for him to act like he does," Evan started to say.

"It just makes more sense now," Brittany replied.

"Don't say anything to anyone," Evan told her. "It's not something he likes people to know..."

"I won't," Brittany promised. "Not even to Ash and Zander."

"Thanks," Evan said kissing her on the cheek.

Brittany blushed and smiled at him.

"You know you're pretty great, Brit," Evan said grinning back at her.

"Tell me something I don't know," she joked.

Evan laughed. "How about we study upstairs instead?"

"Sure," Brittany nodded.

"Zander and Ash sure looked cosy earlier, didn't they?" Evan asked her.

Brittany nodded. "Yeah..."

"I promise I'm not going to say anything," Evan told her.

"He fancies her," Brittany told him. "And... I don't know if she fancies him back."

"Looks to me like she does," Evan said thoughtfully. "I mean, I've seen them together."

"You think?" Brittany asked. "We've never really talked about it..."

Evan looked at her. "You're serious? I thought all that girls talked about was boys."

Brittany laughed. "Well... me sure. Ash is pretty obsessed with her art."

"But you never asked her if she fancied anyone?" Evan asked after she'd said the password to get them into Gryffindor Tower. They climbed through the portrait hole and saw Zander and Ashley sitting close together. "Look at them."

"I'll ask later when we're upstairs," Brittany said.

"Keep me posted," Evan said, giving her a quick kiss. "I'm going to go and grab my books from my room."

"Okay..." Brittany felt dreamy, the way she always did after Evan would kiss her.

She was still starry-eyed when she sat down at the table with Zander and Ashley.

"Uh oh," Zander said. "She's been snogged."

Ashley giggled. "I do believe you're right. She has that glossed over look in her eyes."

"Shut it," Brittany said. "Evan is so, so, so, so--"

"Hot?" Ashley asked teasingly. "Adorable?"

"Just gorgeous," Brittany sighed.

"Good thing we're not eating anything," Zander whispered to Ashley.

"Why?" she asked.

"Because I might throw up," Zander said earning him a death glare from his cousin.

"Just because YOU don't--" Brittany began, and then snapped her jaw shut.

Zander paled as he realised what she was about to say. "Brit---"

Ashley looked back and forth between them. "What's going on?"

Brittany sighed. "Nothing. Zander and I have a difference of opinion is all."

“On what?" Ashley asked curiously.

"Well, he thinks I'm boy-crazy and I keep telling him that when he fancies a girl, he'll know exactly how I feel," Brittany said thinking fast on her feet.

"Oh," Ashley said. "Well... fancying really isn't that great, when someone's just trying to use you."

"You're not still hung up on Charlie, are you?" Brittany asked her.

"No," Ashley shook her head. "But I just was... I don't know. I was really flattered when I thought he was interested in ME, not wanting tickets for my father's concert."

"He hasn't bothered you anymore, has he?" Zander asked.

"Just once," Ashley admitted.

Zander's fists clenched. "What? When?"

"Yesterday," Ashley said. "Asked me again about the tickets, and I pretty much told him to bugger off."

"Good for you," Brittany said proudly. "I wish I'd have been there to see it."

"I'd have liked to punch his lights out," Zander said angrily.

"He's not worth it," Ashley said. "You don't need to get in trouble over the likes of him, Zander."

"Yeah but he shouldn't have done this to you." Zander shook his head.

"No, but I can handle it," Ashley said. She reached over and patted his arm. "But, thank you for wanting to defend my honour."

"Anytime," Zander mumbled.

"Ash, we're going to have a great summer," Brittany said. "You'll be at Brighton and we'll be there too. It's going to be the best summer ever."

"You guys are coming?" Ashley brightened.

"Yes," Brittany replied. "Dad said they were going to rent a cottage for a few weeks."

"That's great," Ashley said happily. "We'll have so much fun!"

Zander grinned. "We'll get to do the things we wanted to do last summer."

"Right," Ashley agreed.

"We're going to have a blast," Brittany said. "And I'm going to see if my parents will let Evan come over."

"I Bet they will," Ashley nodded.

"What did I miss?" Evan asked as he took a seat beside Brittany.

"We were talking about going to Brighton this summer," Brittany told him.

"Oh," Evan said. "That could be fun."

"I'm going to ask if you could come, if you wanted." Brittany said.

"I'd like that," Evan replied.

"Really?" Brittany asked.

"Of course," Evan replied.

Brittany beamed at him and then turned her attention to Ashley. "Ash, we have to go shopping! I have to buy new swim costumes!"

Ashley laughed. "We'll go right when we get out of school."

"Perfect," Brittany said. "Evan, we're going to have the greatest time. Ashley's grandfather has this really great boat. They go out on it all the time. Right, Ash?"

Ashley nodded. "We always have a great time."

"That sounds great," Evan said. "But--um, I was wondering if...if maybe it would be okay if I invited Sam along?"

Ashley stared at him. "Um..."

"He just usually spends the summers with my family," Evan said. "I promise he'll be on his best behaviour."

"I’ll have to ask," Zander said unenthusiastically.

Brittany remembered what Evan had told her earlier. "Um, I'm sure it will be fine. The more the merrier."

Zander looked at her as if she were mad.

"Thanks, Brit," Evan said grinning at her.

"Sure," she said dreamily.

Zander looked at Ashley and he knew they were thinking the same thing.

"I really need to get back to work on this," Ashley murmured, looking down at her essay.

"Me too," Zander said. "I'm still on my first paragraph."

“This is kind of a boring essay," Brittany complained. "And I haven't even started mine."

"I'll help you," Evan said. "You just need to pick a topic from the list."

"Here," Ashley said, pushing hers towards her friend.

Brittany took the list and scanned the topics. Nothing looked remotely interesting.

"Pick one like that," Evan said. "It's pretty generic and you can find out a lot of information on it without doing a lot of research."

"Perfect," Brittany said. "The one with the least amount of work."

Evan grinned. "Exactly."

"Thanks," Brittany said dreamily.

"Anything for you," Evan told her.

Zander decided to let this one go. Considering how the last time he'd made a smart remark about Brittany, she'd nearly blurted out how he really felt about Ashley.

"I just want to get this done so I can get back to drawing," Ashley scratched her quill over the parchment.

Zander grinned. "You could draw me writing my essay..."

"Not if you finish yours before I do," Ashley teased.

"When has THAT ever happened?" Zander laughed.

"Maybe tonight," Ashley said.

"Yeah, right," Zander threw a piece of crumpled up parchment at her.

Ashley tossed it back. "Get to work, Murray."

"I don't want to, Malfoy," Zander threw it back at her.

Ashley smoothed out the crumpled parchment. "Zander!"

"Don't you think it's time we blew off some steam?" Zander asked throwing another ball of parchment at his cousin.

"You are so juvenile," Brittany informed him.

"Come on," Zander said grinning at her. "Throw it back. You know you want to."

"I want to get this done," Brittany rolled her eyes. "So I can do better things."

"You're no fun," Zander said. "Okay, okay. I'll get back to work so Ash can draw."

"Thank you," Ashley said, bending her head over her essay again.

"Told you," Evan mouthed to Brittany who giggled.

"What's so funny?" Zander asked.

"Nothing," Evan replied.

Zander swished the feather end of his quill across the paper, completely bored.

His mind drifted as it almost always did toward Ashley. He thought about spending the summer at the beach with her and all the fun they'd have. She would no doubt want to sketch most of it.

He turned red at the thought of lying next to her on the beach. The thought seemed much more adult than he actually was.

"Zander?" Ashley asked waving her hand in front of his face. "Hello?"

"What?" he jumped.

"You're not writing," Ashley pointed out.

“I was just thinking," he covered quickly.

“Not about your essay," Ashley guessed.

"Just about my music," Zander lied.

Ashley nodded knowingly. "I'm the same way, but you need to focus on this. It's not going to get itself done."

“You're right," he said reluctantly.

“And when we finish, I can draw and you can start writing your music," Ashley said.

"Deal," he nodded.

Ashley smiled and returned her attention to her work.

Zander peeked at her as he pretended to work on his essay.

Again, he started to daydream. He and Ashley were sitting at this table by themselves and it was Ashley who couldn't stop staring at him. "Zander?" she asked him.

"Yeah?" he responded.

"There's something I've been meaning to tell you," Ashley said softly.

"What's that?" he managed.

Ashley bit her bottom lip. "I can't stop thinking about New Year's Eve. I know we said we weren't going to talk about it..."

"It was the best moment of my life, Ash." Zander confessed.

"Mine too," Ashley said scooting her chair closer to his. "The truth is, I think about you all the time."

"You do?" he asked.

Ashley nodded. "Do you think about me like that?"

“Every moment of the day," Zander nodded.

Ashley beamed at him. "Why didn't you say something sooner?"

"I wanted to," Zander said. "I always wanted to."

"You know what I want?" Ashley asked.

"What?" he asked, barely daring to hope.

"For you to kiss me again," Ashley whispered.

Zander let out a breath he didn't realise he had been holding.

"What do you say?" Ashley asked looking intently at him.

"Yes," he whispered, leaning closer to her.

"Zander," Ashley whispered, leaning in, too.

Their lips touched, gently at first.

Zander then surprised himself when he wrapped his arms around her and pulled her close. Ashley let out a little whimper against his mouth.

Zander couldn't believe this was actually happening. This was even better than New Year's. He actually seemed to know what he was doing.

“Zander," she murmured.

"Ashley," he whispered. "Ashley..."

"Zander," she said his name louder. "ZANDER!"

Zander opened his eyes and looked at her. "Y-yeah?"

"What is going on?" Ashley asked. "You are zoning out completely!"

:"Sorry," he muttered.

"And you kept saying Ashley's name," Brittany pointed out. "It was bizarre."

“Maybe I should just go work in the library," Zander said, gathering his things.

"Maybe it will help you focus," Evan suggested.

"Probably," Zander said. "See you lot later."

"Good luck," Ashley told him.

"Thanks," he smiled briefly at her before hurrying away.

"I'm worried about him," Ashley confided to Brittany.

"He'll be okay," Brittany told her.

"I hope so," Ashley said. "We have finals coming up..."

"We ALL need to focus there," Evan said. "Especially with Snape's exam."

Brittany shuddered. "I don't even want to think about THAT."

"We'll all get through it just fine," Ashley said firmly.

"You will," Brittany said. "The rest of us should worry."

"You'll do fine too," Ashley told her. "I'll help you study."

"Really?" Brittany asked.

"Don't forget, I have Aunt Saffy's old potions texts," Ashley reminded them.

"The secret weapon!" Brittany exclaimed.

“Shhh," Ashley said. "We can't tell anyone about it!"

"Right," Brittany said in a quieter tone.

Ashley scribbled a few more sentences then sat back. "Done!"

"I still have a ways to go," Brittany complained.

"Then concentrate," Evan replied. "Here, I'll look through the books to find what information you need.

"You're perfect, Evan," Brittany said gratefully.

"Don't I know it," he grinned at her.

Ashley smiled at them. "I'll see you lot at dinner. I'm going upstairs."

"See you, Ash." Brittany replied.

"Bye, Ash," Evan said.

Ashley headed upstairs. She put her essay with her other books then grabbed her sketchpad and flopped onto her bed.

She thought about Brighton and she hoped that Aunt Saffy would be okay with going back there.

Setting her sketchpad aside, she decided to write a letter to her aunt.

254. 254

Posted a bit early tonight- enjoy!! *wink*

Her Aunt Saffron was just walking into the O'Leary bakery after her practise. Something had happened and Saffron needed to talk to her best friend.

"Hey," Alexa said with a smile. "What's up Saf?"

"I need to talk to you," Saffron said quietly. "Do you have a minute?"

"Of course," Alexa untied her apron.

Saffron sat down at one of the tables and debated what to say. Saying it aloud would make it seem real.

"What is it?" Alexa asked, growing concerned.

"I-I'm late," Saffron told her in a voice barely above a whisper.

"Late for..." Alexa's voice died off. "Oh."

"I'm never late," Saffron said quietly.

"You've been really stressed out though, Saffy." Alexa said. "That can change the time it arrives. And you've gained more weight back from when you were gone. That can do it too."

"You think?" Saffron asked hopefully.

Alexa nodded. "I was reading through one of Gabe's medical texts one night and saw that in there."

Saffron sighed in relief. "I'm sure that's it. I mean, I couldn't be..."

"Just think positively," Alexa reached out and squeezed her hand.

"Right," Saffron said. "It's just like you said."

"I'm sure that's it," Alexa said reassuringly.

"And Andrew and I are careful," Saffron said. "We've almost always used protection charms..."

"What about that first time?" Alexa asked. "Or... Daniel?"

Saffron shook her head. "Not the first time and not the first time after we got back together. And---I don't even know what Daniel did. I can't remember."

"So you think he may not have... you know... gone all the way with you?" Alexa asked cautiously.

"I hope not," Saffron said, not liking to think about that night.

"In any case, you know that you'll have all the support you need," Alexa told her.

"Right," Saffron nodded. "I'm so glad I came here. You always make me feel better, Lexie."

"Comes with the territory," Alexa grinned.

"You've read the Best Friend Handbook," Saffron smiled for the first time that day.

"Over and over again," Alexa said. "How about some fudge?"

"I'd love some," Saffron replied.

"Dark chocolate with macadamia nuts," Alexa grinned at her.

"My favourite," Saffron said grinning back. "I promise I didn't just come over here for the fudge."

"I know," Alexa said. "I'm glad you stopped by."

Saffron followed her friend behind the counter. "I'm getting in all the time I can while you're still here."

"I'm going to miss you like mad, but I'm really excited about going to University over there." Alexa said.

"You're really excited about a certain American boy," Saffron teased.

"That's the main perk," Alexa tossed a napkin at her.

Saffron laughed. "How is he, by the way? I haven't heard from him in ages."

"Busy with finals," Alexa said. "I haven't heard much from him either."

"He'll be here soon enough for summer hols," Saffron said.

"I can't wait," Alexa replied.

"Me too," Saffron said.

"I guess this will sort of be like our last hurrah," Alexa said thoughtfully. "After this, I'll be going back and forth to California, and you'll be busy with your Quidditch career."

Saffron nodded feeling sad at the thought of how much things would change

"But we'll always be best friends," Alexa told her.

"Always," Saffron said smiling at her.

Karen O'Leary came out of the kitchen and grinned when she saw Saffron. "Hello, sweetheart. It's so good to see you!"

"Hi Mrs. O'Leary," Saffron gave her best friend's mother a hug. "I'm just sampling your fudge... again."

"You can have as much as you like," Karen told her. "You know that."

"I might take you up on it," Saffron answered.

"How are your parents?" Karen asked.

"Fine," Saffron said. "We're all keeping busy."

"Your sister-in-law was in here earlier with the baby," Karen told her. "I can't get over how adorable she is."

"With Kiera?" Saffron asked. "She's such a beautiful baby. And so sweet... which is amazing since she's half Ethan's."

Karen and Alexa laughed.

"Maddie let me hold her and she kept wanting to play with my hair," Alexa said.

"Drew told me Chloe will stand over her seat and Kiera likes her hair too," Saffron replied. "Must be the Weasley in her."

"The mischievous side of her," Alexa said. She placed some fudge on a plate and handed it to Saffron. "I'll get us some juice and we can talk some more."

"Great," Saffron replied.

Saffron sat back down and took a bite of the fudge, trying not to think about the possibility that she might be pregnant.

She told herself not to dwell on it. Alexa did have a point- it could be stress or the changes in her body that made her late.

While she waited for her friend, she took out the newspaper from her bag and started looking through the house listings. She and Andrew were still looking for just the right place.

Alexa sat down. "You thinking of getting your own place?"

"Me and Andrew," Saffron looked up.

"What?" Alexa practically shrieked.

"He asked me a few days ago," Saffron replied. "We're going to find just the right place to move in to."

Alexa grinned. "Saffy! That's fantastic!"

"Thanks Lexie," Saffron smiled.

"How'd your parents take it?" Alexa asked.

"Not too badly," Saffron recalled. "I thought my dad was going to cry at first, but he held it together."

"You're his baby," Alexa said.

"There are worse things to be," Saffron replied.

"Well, if you guys need help moving, I'd be happy to pitch in," Alexa told her.

"Thanks," Saffron said. "We've got to find a place first."

"See anything promising in the papers?" Alexa asked.

"A few," Saffron said.

Alexa giggled. "Do you remember how we used to talk about moving in together?"

"Before we were interested in guys?" Saffron asked.

"Yes," Alexa replied. "We were going to live in Kensington in a posh flat and you said we would have Greta live with us..."

"And cook whatever we wanted to," Saffron recalled.

"And stay up as late as we wanted to," Alexa laughed.

"Without our parents telling us what to do," Saffron finished.

"You're about to do just that," Alexa told her. "Well, without Greta."

"And without you," Saffron pointed out.

"But I'm going to visit so you better make sure you get a great guest room," Alexa said.

Saffron laughed. "It's first on the list."

"Good," Alexa said smiling at her before she took a bite of fudge.

"This place looks nice," Saffron said. "It's in a new Wizarding area of the city by Wimbledon."

"How many rooms?" Alexa asked scooting her chair over so she could look at the ad as well.

"Two bedrooms, one and a half bath," Saffron read. "I'll circle it."

"Ooooh look at that one," Alexa pointed to a listing in Mayfair.

"That one sounds even better," Saffron circled it twice.

Alexa smiled. "That's also near Seamus and Lavender's place."

"The plot thickens," Saffron glanced mischievously at her.

Alexa nudged her. "I was just pointing that out!"

"Uh huh," Saffron nodded.

"No ulterior motives here," Alexa said innocently.

Saffron made note of a few more ads. "Andrew and I can go look at these this weekend."

"So how does RJ feel about you stealing his flatmate?" Alexa asked.

"He's fine with it. Audrey's moving in with him," Saffron said.

"Oh," Alexa said thoughtfully.

"Lexie?" Saffron asked.

Alexa put up her hand. "It's okay. I just didn't know they were at that point in their relationship."

"It seems as if all our relationships are moving along," Saffron said.

"I'm happy for them," Alexa said. "I think they're good for each other."

Saffron nodded. "Me too."

"I'd like to apologise to her for what she must have went through while RJ was trying to help me," Alexa said.

"She knows you weren’t to blame for all that," Saffron said, folding the paper and putting it back in her bag.

"I'd still like to apologise," Alexa said. "It couldn't have been easy for her to go through that."

"You'll probably get your chance in Brighton, then." Saffron told her.

"Hopefully," Alexa said. "I just hope things aren't awkward."

"It'll be okay," Saffron assured her.

"Thanks," Alexa said. "Well, I should get back to work."

"I should probably head out," Saffron said. "Thanks Lexie."

Alexa stood up and hugged her friend. "Don't worry. Everything's going to be fine."

"I hope so," Saffron said.

"I'm here if you need to talk some more," Alexa told her.

"I know," Saffron nodded. "I might ring you later."

"I'll be home," Alexa said.

Saffron walked out of the bakery feeling better than she had when she'd entered. Alexa really was a great friend.

Saffron decided to surprise Andrew and show him the listings she'd found in the paper.

She headed over to his and RJ's flat, humming to herself.

Using her key, Saffron let herself into the flat. "Andrew?"

"Hey Saf," he poked his head out of the kitchen.

Saffron smiled at him. "Hey, you."

"What brings you by?" he asked, coming to give her a kiss.

"I found some listings I wanted to show you," Saffron said.

"Yeah?" Andrew asked.

"I really like this listing in Mayfair," Saffron said reaching into her bag for the paper.

"Let me see," Andrew replied. He scanned the listing. "That does sound really nice!"

Saffron grinned. "You really like it?"

"I think it sounds great," Andrew slid his arms around her. "When do you want to go see it?"

"This weekend?" Saffron asked.

"Sunday would work for me, if we can arrange that," Andrew told her.

"That's perfect," Saffron said hugging him tightly.

Andrew kissed the side of her head. "If all goes well... we could be living together within the next month."

"Just before we go to Brighton," Saffron said softly.

"I'm staying the whole time there," Andrew said. "I'll be with you every minute."

"Thanks," Saffron said resting her head on his shoulder. "It's going to be hard being back there, but I'm going to try and concentrate on the happy memories."

"That's my girl," Andrew said softly.

"I can't believe it's almost been a year," Saffron said quietly.

"I know, Saf." Andrew stroked her hair.

"I think about Sean every day," Saffron said.

"You know he'd want you to be happy," Andrew said.

Saffron nodded. "Yeah..."

"Don't let that get you down again," Andrew cupped her face in his hands.

Saffron looked into his eyes. "I won't. I promise."

Andrew smiled and kissed her. "Hungry?"

Saffron shook her head. "I was just at the bakery with Lex. I had about six pieces of fudge."

"You didn't bring me any?" Andrew pretended to be hurt.

Saffron laughed. "No, I was thinking of you and your boyish figure."

"Yeah right," Andrew grinned at her.

"Where's your partner in crime?" Saffron asked as she sat down.

"Out with Audrey," Andrew replied. "Those two are joined at the hip these days."

"Like us," Saffron smiled at him.

"That works for me," Andrew grinned back,

"I was thinking I'd stop over and see Kiera later," Saffron said watching him while he finished making his sandwich.

"That sounds like fun," he looked over at her.

"Babies are great, aren't they?" Saffron asked thoughtfully.

"Sure they are," Andrew nodded.

"Have you ever thought about what it would be like to have one?" Saffron asked him.

"I don't know," he answered thoughtfully.

"Maybe in the future, right?" Saffron asked.

"Sure," Andrew said. "I'd love to have kids someday."

"Someday," Saffron said softly.

"Why do you ask?" Andrew looked at her.

"I guess with all the babies in the family, I was just thinking about it," Saffron said hastily. "Kiera and Darla's baby will be here before we know it..."

"Right," Andrew looked at her curiously, but figured if she wanted to tell him anything she would.

"My mum had a lot of trouble conceiving," Saffron said. "You know...it took her forever to get pregnant again with Ethan. Jules was in her teens when he was born."

"I think you said something about that one time," Andrew sat down at the table with his sandwich.

"I don't know why I'm telling you this," Saffron said with a slight laugh.

"I'm not sure either," he said bemusedly. "You sure you're all right?"

"Of course," Saffron said stealing one of his crisps.

"Did you set up an appointment yet to see that place?" he asked her.

"Not yet," Saffron said. "I'll ring them later."

"I can set it up tomorrow if you want," he offered.

"That'd be great," Saffron said. She reached across the table and squeezed his hand.

"Anything to keep that smile on your face," Andrew replied.

"Living with you is a great way to start," Saffron beamed at him.

"We're going to have a great time," Andrew told her.

"Oh yes," Saffron said. "Because I'm going to get breakfast in bed every morning. Unlimited foot massages..."

"Oh and what about me?" Andrew asked.

"You get the pleasure of living with me," Saffron said cheekily.

"That's all?" he asked.

Saffron grabbed the other half of his sandwich in retaliation. "That's all, he says!"

"Hey!" Andrew said. "I thought you weren't hungry!"

"Things change," Saffron said taking a bite.

"Oh yeah?" Andrew lunged across the table and began tickling her.

"Andrew!" Saffron squealed.

"Things change," he reminded her.

"You want this, you're going to have to come and get it!" Saffron pushed back from the chair.

Andrew chased her into the sitting room.

"You are so slow," Saffron joked. "Good thing I didn't bring you any of that fudge..."

Andrew tackled her gently on the sofa. "What was that, Potter?"

Saffron giggled. "Lucky break, Kirke!"

"Whatever you say," Andrew leaned in and kissed her passionately.

Saffron dropped the sandwich on the floor and wrapped her arms around him.

"Mmmm..." he said. "You taste better than any food."

Saffron grinned. "I do?"

"Oh yeah," Andrew kissed her again.

Saffron tickled his side. "You don't fight fair, Andrew Kirke."

"I know," he grinned at her.

"I let you catch me, you know," Saffron said.

"Sure you did," he told her.

"I did," Saffron poked him.

"If that makes you feel better," Andrew brushed her hair off her forehead.

"I'm sorry I ruined your lunch," Saffron said lifting her head to kiss him.

"You didn't, Saf." he told her.

"I'll make it up to you," Saffron said. "I'll cook dinner tonight."

"If you want," Andrew nuzzled her ear.

"Mmmhmm," Saffron whispered.

Andrew closed his eyes and kissed her again.

"I love you," Saffron murmured.

"Love you too," he said softly.

Saffron touched his cheek. She loved him more than anything in the world.

"We can go to my room," he told her.

Saffron nodded. "We wouldn't want Junior coming in here and catching us, would we? It would scar him for life."

"Wouldn't be anything he hasn't seen before," Andrew said wryly, pushing himself up.

"He hasn't seen me starkers before," Saffron said. "And I'd like to keep it that way."

"Me too," Andrew helped her to her feet.

"Thanks," Saffron said softly.

"Come on," he led her down the hall.

Saffron felt a little nervous. They hadn't been together intimately since that thing with Daniel.

He opened the door for her. "After you..."

Saffron smiled at him as she stepped inside.

He closed the door, then drew her into his arms again.

"Andrew," Saffron said feeling so warm and safe in his arms.

"I love you so, so much, Saffron," Andrew said in her ear.

"You've been so patient," Saffron said softly.

"I'll do anything for you," Andrew told her.

"I know," Saffron said. "And I'd do anything for you."

"I know you would, baby." Andrew rested his forehead on hers.

"I missed being with you," Saffron whispered.

"It's been awhile, hasn't it?" he asked.

Saffron nodded. "I'm sorry..."

"You have nothing to be sorry about," he told her.

"I just didn't think you'd want to be with me after---" Saffron started to say.

"Saffron Grace," he stopped and looked at her. "Nothing has changed between us."

Saffron looked back at him. She couldn't believe how great he was being about this. She kept waiting for the other shoe to drop. "Andrew..."

"Nothing," Andrew repeated firmly.

With his thumb, he wiped a tear from her cheek. "I love you," Saffron whispered.

"I love you too," Andrew told her. "More than anyone else, Saffy."

Saffron smiled up at him. "No matter what?"

"No matter what," he smiled back at her.

Saffron gave him a kiss. "You're amazing."

"I'm not that great, Saf." Andrew said.

"Yes, you are," Saffron said leading him over to the bed. She sat down. "You've always been there for me. That night in that club, when I was feeling as low as I ever felt and I was acting so stupid, there you were. And then again at Scanlon's, you were there. You never left my side."

"I never will," Andrew told her. "You're the best thing in my life, Saf."

"You're the best thing in mine," Saffron said. "You always have been."

Andrew leaned in and kissed her.

Saffron kissed him back. He was being so gentle and patient with her. It made her love him even more, which she didn't think was possible,

"Just let me know if I go too far or too fast for you," Andrew said, lying her gently onto the bed.

Saffron nodded and pulled him down to her for another kiss.

Andrew ran his fingers through her hair while letting his other hand travel down her side.

Her soft eyes met his. She trusted him.

Andrew smiled at her before brushing a gentle kiss over her lips, trailing his mouth over her skin.

Saffron closed her eyes, blocking out thoughts of anything but Andrew and the way he was making her feel.

He reached under her shirt, stroking her stomach.

Saffron giggled. "That tickles, Andrew..."

"Sorry," he grinned, pulling his own shirt over his head.

"No need to apologise," Saffron said smiling reassuringly at him. "I liked it."

"Good," he said, pushing up her camisole.

Saffron sat up a little so he could lift it over her head.

"Gorgeous as always," he said taking in her figure.

Saffron smiled. "You're not so bad, either."

"That's all you can say about Wizard McDreamy, two years running?" Andrew teased.

Saffron laughed and poked him in the stomach. "I knew you liked that! I bet if I looked in your closet, I'd find copies of that magazine!"

"No you wouldn't," Andrew denied.

"Along with your cards," Saffron teased. "And those action figures..."

"Go check if you like," Andrew said.

"Maybe later," Saffron said touching his chest.

He grinned, leaning down to kiss her again.

Saffron wrapped her arms around him, pulling him close.

"Saffy..." he murmured against her neck.

"Yes," Saffron purred.

Andrew lifted himself up, unbuttoning her jeans.

Saffron's eyes focused on him as he slowly peeled them off.

"Still okay?" he asked softly.

"Perfect," Saffron replied.

"Good," he said, kissing her again.

Saffron's hands were trembling as she unzipped his jeans.

"Saffy..." he began.

"What?" Saffron asked.

"You're shaking," he pointed out.

"I'm okay," Saffron reassured him. "I'm just a little nervous. But, I want this. I want this more than anything."

"Long as you're sure," he told her softly.

"Positive," Saffron replied.

"Okay," he said, brushing her hair back.

Saffron's eyes met his as she resumed her work of freeing him from his jeans and boxers.

Andrew grinned as he settled back down next to her.

"Did you do the charm?" he asked her.

She nodded. "All taken care of."

"That's my girl," Andrew said. For a long moment, he held her close, moulding his mouth to hers.

Saffron whimpered as his lips moved across her neck.

"Still okay?" Andrew breathed against her skin.

"Oh yes," she whispered.

"I missed you," Andrew trailed kisses over her bare shoulder.

"I missed... you too..." Saffron gasped, her eyes rolling back into her head.

He wanted her more than anything and it was taking all of his willpower not to take her right now. But, he wanted to make this special for her. He didn't want to rush her. Not after all that she'd been through.

Saffron moaned in pleasure when Andrew rubbed between her legs. "More..." she breathed.

He wondered if she knew what that did to him. Hearing her say that one word in such a way nearly drove him insane. "As you wish," he said with a grin.

"Please, Andrew," Saffron begged.

With a groan, Andrew slid into her.

Saffron gasped, her body arching up against his, almost levitating them both off the bed.

"Merlin, Saffy," Andrew groaned before kissing her.

Her breathing grew faster as she pushed her body up against his.

"Still okay?" Andrew said breathlessly.

Saffron nodded, unable to speak.

Andrew's breath was hot and ragged against her skin as he pressed further into her.

"Oh," she breathed. "Andrew!"

Andrew nearly lost it when she wrapped her legs around him. "Saffron...."

"Please Andrew," she said, her teeth clenched.

"My Saffron," Andrew said looking down at her. "No matter what..."

She nodded.

His breath was ragged as he thrust into her once more.

"Andrew!" Saffron cried out.

He collapsed onto her. Saffron held on to him. She wasn't ready to let him go just yet. "Okay?" Andrew whispered smiling lazily down at her.

"Amazing," Saffron whispered.

"I love you so much," Andrew said softly.

"I love you too," she pushed a damp lock of hair out of his eyes.

"Saffy," Andrew said. "I know this is going to sound bad especially after what we did, but I've been wanting to say it for a long time."

"What?" Saffron asked.

He propped himself up on one elbow and grinned at her. "I'm going to marry you."

"What?" she asked again.

"Someday," Andrew said playing with a lock of her hair. "Someday soon, I'm going to marry you."

Saffron smiled at him.

"And we'll start a family," Andrew leaned in and kissed her.

"You think so?" she asked softly.

"Mmmhmm," Andrew said.

"I hope so," she said softly.

"Saffron Kirke," Andrew grinned.

"I love it," she laughed.

"I love you," Andrew said grinning at her. "In fact, look under your pillow..."

"What?" Saffron raised her head.

"Look under your pillow," Andrew said nudging her.

Saffron turned and pushed her pillow aside.

Andrew looked over her shoulder. "It took me forever to pick it out and I wasn't sure of your ring size..."

"Oh Merlin," she said, her voice trembling.

"If you don't like it, we can take it back," Andrew said wishing he could see her face. "Saf---"

Saffron burst into tears. "Its beautiful."

"I wasn't going to give it to you until Brighton," Andrew said. "But, I just couldn't wait any longer."

"This is incredible," she managed.

Andrew reached over her and picked up the ring. "Saffron Grace Potter, will you marry me?"

255. Chapter 255

Authors’ note: Thanks for the big response to the last chapter---we know we left you guys in suspense. Without further ado, here’s Saffron’s response. Also---there will be a new story coming out soon---we’ll have more details coming up in the next few weeks on the orkut group website.

Saffron looked at the ring, feeling dumbfounded. She had known that one day she and Andrew might take that step, but she never in a million years thought he would ask her now. She met his gaze. Words failed her as he looked expectantly at her.

"Yes," Saffron finally whispered.

Andrew grinned. "You will?"

Saffron nodded, not trusting her voice.

Andrew reached for her hand. "Let's see how this fits..."

"Perfect," she said softly.

Andrew leaned in and kissed her. "I'm going to do everything I can to make you happy, Saffy."

"You already have," she told him.

Andrew held her close. "We're engaged, Saffy."

"I know," she suddenly laughed.

Andrew kissed the side of her head. "No turning back now."

"Never," Saffron touched the side of his face.

"So," Andrew grinned. "We have to find a house, plan a wedding..."

"Yes we do," Saffron nodded. "I really want to get married at the mansion, like Ethan and Maddie."

"You've thought about this, then?" Andrew teased.

"Of course I have," she said.

Andrew laughed. "Down to the bridesmaids, right?"

"Lexie's my Maid of Honour." Saffron said.

"I'm going to ask RJ to be my best man," Andrew said. "But, I'm thinking that title might go to his head. I can just hear him now going on and on about being the 'best' man."

"He only wishes he was best man," Saffron smiled as she buried her face in his shoulder.

Andrew wrapped his arms around her. "I'll have to talk to your dad first, you know. Make it official."

"Of course," Saffron said.

"I imagine he'll give me the same speech that my dad gave me when I told him what I wanted to do," Andrew said thoughtfully. "Not that he doesn't love you, Saffy. He was just concerned that we were too young to make such a big step."

"We've been through a lot though," Saffron looked up at him.

"Too much," Andrew said. "But we got through it all, Saffy. No matter what was thrown at us, we made it through."

Saffron thought of what Daniel had done to her and what the consequences still might be. "Yeah..." she said softly.

Andrew grinned. "And now the toughest decision we'll have to make now is whether our kids will be Puddlemere fans or Wimbourne fans..."

Saffron had to laugh at that.

"Wimbourne definitely," Andrew said, earning him a poke in the side from Saffron.

"I don't think so," she replied.

"Come on, Saf," Andrew said laughing. "You're not going to let me have that at least?"

"We'll let the kids decide for themselves," Saffron told him.

"With gentle nudging from you, right?" Andrew teased.

"Maybe," Saffron smiled.

"I know you," Andrew said. "You'll have him or her dressed in Puddlemere clothes the moment they're born."

"Well you know that my entire family loves Puddlemere," Saffron pointed out.

"Yes, and mine loves Wimbourne," Andrew argued.

"Only because you play for them," she countered.

Andrew's jaw dropped. "Saffy...that's cold. That is so cold..."

She smiled innocently at him.

"My dad might have been a Puddlemere fan before," Andrew admitted.

"Knew it," Saffron laid her head down again.

Andrew laughed. "One thing you can say about us, there's never a dull moment."

'Sometimes dull moments are nice," Saffron said.

"Like this," Andrew said thoughtfully, kissing the top of her head.

"Yes," Saffron agreed. "This, right now..."

"ANDREW!" They heard RJ call out.

Andrew groaned. "So much for dull moments."

"I thought he wouldn't be home till later," Saffron said.

"So did I," Andrew said just before RJ opened the door.

"Ooooh," RJ grinned. "I see why you didn't answer when I called."

"Damn it RJ," Andrew cursed. "Knock?"

"We're all friends here," RJ grinned. "Hey, Saffy."

Saffron pulled the covers up. "Get out, you wanker!"

"What?" RJ asked.

Saffron rolled her eyes. "Get. Out."

"Sorry, sheesh," RJ backed out of the room.

Saffron looked at Andrew.

"I guess now wouldn't be a good time to tell you that your dad is in the sitting room," RJ said gleefully. "I ran into him in Hogsmeade, Saffy."

"What?" Saffron nearly shot out of the bed and remembered herself just in time.

"Only kidding," RJ said before shutting the door behind him.

"I'm going to kill him," Andrew growled.

"Not if I kill him first," Saffron said.

Andrew shook his head, reaching for his clothes.

"We'll have to think of something for revenge," Saffron said pulling back the covers.

"If I know you, you will," Andrew said, his eyes on her as she began to get dressed.

"What?" Saffron asked catching his eye.

"Just admiring my fiancée," Andrew grinned at her.

Saffron grinned back. "Fiancée. That sounds nice."

"Yes it does," he pulled his jeans on.

They finished getting dressed and walked out of the bedroom. They found RJ, of course, in the kitchen.

Andrew punched him hard in the shoulder. "You're a wanker."

"How was I to know she was in there with you?" RJ asked. "And I was only kidding about Uncle Harry. If he'd been with me, I'd have warned you."

"Yeah right," Saffron said.

"I'm hurt, Saf," RJ said before stuffing his mouth with crisps.

She shook her head and brushed her hair out of her eyes. RJ's eyes widened at the sparkle from her finger.

"W-what's that?" RJ stammered.

"What?" Saffron asked. "Oh..." she turned red and grinned at Andrew.

"I asked Saffy to marry me," Andrew told his best friend. "And she said yes."

RJ stared at both of them wordlessly.

"I was going to wait and ask her in Brighton, but now seemed like the perfect time," Andrew told him.

"You two are getting married?" RJ finally uttered.

"That's the idea," Andrew said putting his arm around Saffron.

"Whoa..." RJ shook his head.

Saffron laughed. "RJ, you are happy for us, right?"

"I think so," RJ managed.

"He wasn't this speechless when Jason broke the news to us that he and Monica were getting married," Andrew commented.

"Well Jason wasn't my best mate," RJ responded. "And Monica's not... not Saffy."

Saffron reached over and squeezed his hand. "I know its big news."

"Yeah," RJ shook his head. "Really big..."

"You're the first one to know," Saffron told him. "Other than Andrew's parents. I mean, they knew he was going to ask me, but they don't know I've said yes."

RJ finally smiled. "Well congratulations."

"Thank you," Saffron grinned, giving him a hug.

RJ patted her back. "He'll take good care of you, Saf."

"And I'll take good care of him," Saffron promised.

"Good," RJ grinned at her.

"I was wondering if you'd be my best man." Andrew asked sharing a knowing look with Saffron.

"Of course," RJ said, puffing out his chest. "Best man as the best man."

Saffron laughed. "We knew you'd say that."

"We know you too well," Andrew said dryly.

"Very funny," RJ said. "We should celebrate."

"Sure," Andrew nodded.

"After we tell my parents and Lexie," Saffron said. "Oh! I should ring Lexie!"

"Use my mobile," Andrew told her.

"Thank you," Saffron said reaching for it.

RJ clapped his friend on the shoulder. "What did Harry say when you talked to him?"

"I didn't ask him yet," Andrew admitted.

"Are you mad?" RJ asked.

"I was planning on asking him first," Andrew said. "I was going to take him aside in Brighton and ask him, but I kind of jumped the gun, so to speak."

"If I were you, and this is just a suggestion," RJ said. "I'd keep this under wraps till you talk to him."

Andrew nodded. "Maybe I should go over to the Ministry right now."

"Let me know when you two want to celebrate," RJ answered.

"I will," Andrew said. He and RJ laughed as Saffron held the phone away from her ear as Alexa squealed.

"Saffy are you SERIOUS?" Alexa shrieked. "You're ENGAGED?"

Saffron giggled. "I think so. I have the ring on my finger and everything."

"I can't believe it!" Alexa said. "Saffy! This is incredible!"

"I think so too," Saffron said. "I can't wait to show you."

"I'm so happy for you," Alexa said. "You deserve nothing but the best."

"Thanks," Saffron said. "For everything. Our talk was just what I needed."

"Anytime," Alexa said. "I can't wait to go dress shopping!"

"Me too," Saffron said. "And...And don't say anything to anyone yet. Andrew's going to talk to my dad first."

"My lips are sealed," Alexa promised.

"Thanks," Saffron said. "I'll talk to you later."

"Bye, Mrs. Kirke," Alexa teased.

Saffron was laughing when she turned off the phone.

"You want to go with me to my funeral?" Andrew asked her.

"What are you talking about?" she handed him his mobile.

"I was going to go to the Ministry," Andrew told her. "Talk to your dad."

"Oh," Saffron said. "Sure, I'll go with you."

"It was really nice knowing you," RJ said grinning at Andrew.

"Sod off," Andrew said. "I'll see you later."

"It's not going to be that bad," Saffron reassured him.

"I hope not," he said.

"Good luck," RJ called after them.

"Don't listen to him," Saffron said. "My dad knows you make me happy."

"And Nick was in my shoes before," Andrew said. "And he's still breathing."

"Exactly," Saffron reached for his hand.

Andrew smiled at her. "Promise to help bandage me up when he's through with me?"

"I won't need to, but you know I would," Saffron gave him a kiss.

A few minutes later, the two of them were walking into Auror headquarters.

"Brat!" Ethan exclaimed when he saw her. "What are you doing here?"

"Hey Ethan," Saffron hugged her brother. "We need to see Dad."

"He's in his office," Ethan said. He looked over at Andrew. "You alright, mate? You looked a little peaked?"

"I'm okay," Andrew said nervously.

"You might want to approach Dad with caution," Ethan told her. "He had to deal with a botched raid this morning and he's not in the best of moods."

"We can come back," Andrew said quickly.

Saffron was about to open her mouth to reassure him, when she saw her father stalk out of his office.

"I WANT THOSE PAPERS ON MY DESK IN FIVE MINUTES, BREWSTER!" Harry barked at an Auror. "FIVE MINUTES!"

"Yes sir," the Auror squeaked, hurrying off.

Andrew gulped.

"Told you," Ethan muttered to his sister.

"Daddy," Saffron said, ignoring her brother.

"WHAT?" Harry barked impatiently. "Oh---Saffy. What brings you here?"

"Hi Daddy," Saffron went and gave him a hug.

"Hi, sweetheart," Harry said patting her back.

"You being scary to everyone?" Saffron teased, trying to lighten his mood.

"Me?" Harry asked. "Just another day at the office."

Saffron smiled. "Sure, Daddy."

"Hello, Mr. Potter," Andrew said, his voice high.

"Andrew," Harry nodded. "Alright?"

"Yes," Andrew replied. "Um, I was wondering if I could have a word..."

"About?" Harry asked.

"Um, well, I was kind of hoping that we could talk alone," Andrew stammered. "Just you and me."

"Sure," Harry said. "Right this way."

Saffron gave Andrew's hand a reassuring squeeze. "I'll be right out here."

Andrew nodded and followed Harry to his office.

"So..." Harry sat down behind his desk. "What's on your mind?"

"How are you, sir?" Andrew asked.

"Fine,” Harry answered. "Yourself?"

"Great," Andrew replied. "And how are you?"

"You already asked me that," Harry said, amused.

"Right," Andrew said wiping his sweaty palm on his trousers. "I did."

"So what brings you and Saffron by?" Harry asked.

"Saffy and I have known each other for a long time," Andrew began.

Harry had an idea of where this was going, but didn’t' say anything.

"I love her more than anything in this world, Sir," Andrew continued. "You--you already know that we're moving in together, of course."

Harry nodded. "Yes, we discussed that before."

"I wanted to ask you," Andrew said looking directly at Harry. "I wanted to ask you for her hand. I want to marry your daughter, sir."

Harry had been expecting this, but it still didn't prepare him for the feeling that hit him when Andrew uttered the words.

"Sir?" Andrew asked uncertainly.

"I'm sorry," Harry apologised. "It's just... I've been dreading this day since she was born."

Andrew nodded. "I can understand that."

"It's no secret that I've spoiled her quite a bit," Harry said thoughtfully. "And all I want for her in life is for her to be happy."

"That's all I want for her, too," Andrew agreed.

"I remember when I proposed to Hermione," Harry recalled. "She and I had fought badly the night before, and I spent that night wandering around until I went to see her father to ask him for her hand in marriage. He asked me one question... and I want to ask you the same thing." He leaned back in his chair. "Why do you want to marry my daughter?"

"Because I love her more than anything in this world," Andrew replied. "When we broke things off, I felt like the air had been sucked right out of me. Things were never right. But, then, we were given this second chance and I never want to let her go again. I can't. I won't."

Harry nodded. "I was hoping for that sort of answer."

"So, do we have your blessing?" Andrew asked.

"You do," Harry replied. "I always thought you were good for her, Andrew."

Andrew grinned. "Thank you, sir."

"Just keep her happy," Harry said.

"I will," Andrew said shaking Harry's hand.

Harry nodded to him. "Congratulations."

There was a knock on the door and Saffron poked her head inside. "Everything okay?"

Harry smiled a bit sadly at his youngest daughter. "Come on in, Saffy."

He caught sight of the ring on his daughter's hand. "I see you've already asked her then?"

"Um..." Andrew was at a loss for words. "It just sort of um... happened..."

Tears were in Saffron's eyes as she looked at her father. "Andrew? Could you give us a minute?"

"Sure," Andrew said, slipping out the door.

"Daddy?" Saffron asked. "You're not losing me."

"I know, baby." Harry said. "It just feels like it right now. I want you to be happy."

"I am," Saffron said coming around the desk.

Harry hugged her tightly.

"I grew up with you and mum," Saffron said softly. "I always wanted to find someone to make me as happy as you made mum."

"I think you have, sweetheart," Harry told her. "And I'm so proud of you."

"Really?" Saffron asked.

"Absolutely," Harry said. "You've been through a lot this year and you've really come a long way."

Saffron wiped at her eyes. "I know you think I blamed you for what happened with Gordon..."

"Baby--" Harry began.

Saffron held up her hand. "I didn't. I know that you did everything you could to find Ethan and me. It wasn't your fault, Daddy."

"I tried as hard as I could," Harry told her. "And I'd have switched places if possible."

"I know," Saffron said hugging him again. "Daddy, you're my hero. You always have been."

Harry kissed the top of her head. "I love you, sweetheart."

"I love you too," Saffron said. "Even when you are being scary."

Harry chuckled. "Brewster’s still in one piece, isn't he? So I'm not TOO bad today."

"Poor bloke looked like he was thinking of leaving the country and changing his identity," Saffron teased.

Harry laughed. "How about tonight we go celebrate?"

"I'd love that," Saffron said. "You and me and mum and Andrew and his parents."

"Sounds great," Harry replied.

"I need to tell Mum!" Saffron exclaimed.

Harry laughed. "You'd best get a move on."

Saffron grinned. "Thanks again, Daddy."

"I'll do anything to keep that smile on your face," Harry ruffled her hair.

Saffron beamed at him. "I'll ask Mum to let you know the details for the dinner."

"Sounds like a plan," Harry said.

Saffron gave her father one last hug before she left his office.

Ethan was chatting with Andrew.

"So, Andrew tells me that he wants to marry you, brat," Ethan told her with a grin.

"Yeah," Saffron said. "And Daddy's fine with it."

"Obviously," Ethan said. "Since Andrew's still breathing and in one piece."

Saffron slid under Andrew's arm. "We're going out to celebrate tonight."

"Are you now?" Ethan asked her with a grin.

"Want to come?" she asked.

"What she really means is can Kiera come?" Ethan teased.

Saffron made a face. "I suppose she could tag along," she joked.

"Mads and I would love to come," Ethan told her. "Just let us know the time and place."

"I will," Saffron promised, taking Andrew's hand.

"Wait," Ethan said.

"What?" Saffron asked.

"The ring?" Ethan asked. "Let me see it."

Saffron grinned and held out her hand.

"Nice job, Andrew," Ethan told the younger man.

Andrew grinned. "Thanks mate."

"I'll talk to you two later," Ethan said, giving Saffron a quick hug. "Congratulations, brat."

"Thanks, Ethan," Saffron said.

"Come on, Andrew," Saffron grinned. "I have to tell Mum our good news!"

"And my parents," he added.

"Right," Saffron agreed. "I hope Mum's in her office. I don't think she had any big meetings planned for today."

"That's good," Andrew said.

"You know, she's the one you should be scared of," Saffron teased.

"You think?" Andrew asked.

"You can ask Ethan," Saffron told him as they waited for the lift to take them upstairs to the Minister's office. "I remember when he was 17 years old and he was home from Hogwarts on his summer hols. He and Justin decided to get pissed and he came home in the middle of the night. He stumbled in and was so loud he woke everyone up and broke this crystal vase Mum had for ages."

"Couldn't he just fix it with magic?" Andrew asked.

"Well, yes, but you should have seen him," Saffron remembered. "Mum and Dad came downstairs and found him and he made some smart remark to Mum. Let's just say it wasn't pretty."

Andrew winced. "You don't think--"

Saffron laughed. "No, Andrew! She loves you. She'll be happy for us."

"I hope so," Andrew tried to relax.

They stepped into the lift and Saffron squeezed his hand. "It's going to be grand. Trust me."

Andrew smiled at her. "This really seems surreal, doesn't it?"

Saffron smiled back at him. "It does."

He gave her a kiss. "I love you, Saffron. I've always loved you."

Saffron grinned and looped her arms around his neck. "I love you, too. More than anything."

He kissed her again.

The lift opened a few moments later. Reluctantly, Saffron pulled away from him. "Let's do this."

Andrew felt better as she led him down the corridor to her mother's office.

"Saffron," Samuel said from behind his desk. "This is a nice surprise."

"Hi Samuel," Saffron said. "Is my mother in?"

"She is," Samuel replied. "Go on inside."

"Thanks," Saffron tugged on Andrew's hand.

Saffron opened the door. "Mum?"

Hermione looked up. "Saffy!"

"Hi," Saffron said stepping inside with Andrew. "You're not busy, are you?"

"Not for you," Hermione said.

"Something's happened," Saffron told her. She looked over at Andrew. "Something wonderful."

"What's that?" Hermione asked expectantly.

"Well," Andrew said. "I asked Saffron to marry me and she said yes."

Hermione looked dumbfounded for a moment.

"Minister?" Andrew asked.

"Mum," Saffron said. "I'm getting married!"

Hermione looked at her daughter. She hadn't seen her happy like this in quite some time. "Is this what you want?"

"More than anything," Saffron leaned against Andrew.

"You're both so young," Hermione commented. "I wasn't too much older than you though when I married your father."

"I know," Saffron nodded.

"We haven't even set a date yet, Minister," Andrew said.

"It just happened a little while ago," Saffron said. "We've already gone to see Daddy."

"He gave you his blessing?" Hermione asked.

Saffron and Andrew both nodded.

"Well, now you have mine as well," Hermione said. "Congratulations!"

Saffron broke out into a radiant grin. "Thanks Mum!"

"Let's see that ring," Hermione said coming around her desk. "Saffy, it's gorgeous!"

"It is, isn't it?" Saffron glowed.

"Andrew has excellent taste," Hermione said looking at the young man. "Welcome to the family, Andrew."

"Thank you," Andrew said.

"We were thinking about going out tonight to celebrate," Saffron told her.

Hermione nodded. "Of course."

Saffron grinned. "The future in-laws, too!"

"Definitely," Hermione nodded. "Let me pull a few strings and see if I can get us into The Ivy."

Saffron beamed at her. "Mum!"

"It's not every day my baby gets engaged." Hermione put her arm around her daughter.

Saffron laughed. "No, it's not."

"I'll ring my parents and tell them we're coming over soon," Andrew told her.

"I hope they'll be happy for us too," Saffron said thoughtfully.

"They will be," Andrew assured her.

Hermione gave Andrew a hug. "We're a wild bunch. You sure you're ready to take us on?"

"If I can handle this one I think I can handle anything," Andrew joked.

Saffron nudged him in the side. "I'm going to make you pay for that, Kirke."

"Sure, soon to be Kirke," he nudged her back.

Saffron laughed. "Well, we'd better get going. Mum, I'll ring you as soon as we settle on a time with Mr. and Mrs. Kirke."

Hermione nodded. "Okay, sweetheart. I--I think I'm going to just go downstairs and talk to your dad."

"We'll talk to you in a bit," Saffron said.

Hermione told Samuel where she'd be and she set off for Auror headquarters.

"Harry?" she knocked on his door.

He looked up from his paperwork. "You heard, I gather?"

Hermione nodded. "What do you think?"

"She's so young," Harry said shaking his head. "She's our baby."

"I know," Hermione closed the door behind her. "But she's so happy."

"She is," Harry agreed. "It's good to see her smiling again."

"I'm going to see if I can get reservations at The Ivy tonight, to celebrate," Hermione told him.

"Very posh, Minister," Harry teased her.

"Only the best," Hermione returned.

"Saffy," Harry said looking at an old photograph he had of her on his desk.

"This can't be easy for you," Hermione came around the desk.

"I was happy when Ethan told me he wanted to ask Maddie to marry him," Harry said. "Julie. Saffy. Those are my girls, Hermione."

"I know," Hermione ran her fingers through his wild hair.

"Your dad used to tell me I'd know how he felt when I had daughters," Harry said.

"And I'm sure you do," Hermione said softly.

"Very much so," Harry said giving her a kiss.

"If Nick and Andrew treat our girls even halfway as good as you've treated me..." Hermione began.

"I could have done a lot more," Harry interjected.

"Nonsense," Hermione shook her head.

"You're the best thing that ever happened to me," Harry said smiling lazily at her.

"Same goes for me," Hermione seated herself in his lap.

"Our little girl is getting married," Harry said, shaking his head. "When did this happen? It was just yesterday that she was six.'"

"Asking you to take her up into the air for a ride," Hermione remembered.

"She didn't ask," Harry remembered fondly. "She told me I was taking her up for a ride."

Hermione laughed. "I loved those days too when it was just us, playing with her by the fire, with those blocks."

Harry smiled as he remembered those days, too. He could remember his five-year old daughter running to greet him when he'd arrive home from work.

He would set his case down and the next thing he knew a flash of brown hair hurled itself in his direction.

"DADDY!" Saffron cried latching herself on to his leg.

"Is this my little Saffy?" he asked. "She grew a metre today!"

Saffron giggled. "I'm getting bigger every day! That's what Greta told me!"

"She's right," Harry kissed her cheek.

"Guess what?" Saffron told him. "In school today, I was the only one who could read the story already! Teacher said I was the best in the class!"

Harry grinned. "I always knew my girl was the smartest girl in all of England!"

Saffron beamed at him. "How was your work? Did you catch all the bad guys?"

"All of them," Harry nodded, swinging her around.

"Yay!" Saffron squealed happily.

"Should we celebrate?" Harry asked.

Saffron thought for a moment and then nodded her head. "Mummy too?"

"Always," Harry nodded.

"Let's go get her!" Saffron tugged on his hand.

"You lead the way, baby." Harry told her.

Saffron told him more about her day as she led him down the corridor to Hermione's home office. "And Ethan wrote to me today! He is so funny, Daddy!"

"What did he say?" Harry asked.

"He thinks he's better than me on a broom," Saffron said giggling. "No way!"

Harry laughed. "You'll show him a thing or two, won't you?"

Saffron nodded. "Absolutely!"

Saffron knocked on her mother's door. "Mummy!"

"Come in!" Hermione called.

"Daddy's home, Mummy," Saffron said after Harry opened the door. "He's taking me flying!"

Harry looked down at her. "I am, am I?"

"Cause I'm the smartest," Saffron nodded.

"If it's not too cold out after dinner, I'll take you up," Harry promised.

"Okay," Saffron said. "But it won't be cold!"

"Sweetheart, you're just getting over a cold," Hermione cautioned. "And the forecast is calling for snow..."

Saffron pushed her lower lip out.

"You think that puppy dog look is going to work on me?" Hermione asked coming out from behind her desk and kneeling before her daughter.

"Please Mummy?" Saffron asked.

"It it's not snowing, I suppose you can go up with your father if he promises to bundle you up and put a warming charm on the broom," Hermione said.

"You will, right Daddy?" Saffron begged.

"I will," Harry said tweaking Saffron's nose. "That puppy dog look of yours is hard to resist."

"I know," Saffron grinned.

Harry laughed. "Hermione, what are we going to do with her?'"

"I'm not quite sure," Hermione smiled at her daughter.

Saffron giggled. "Can we play?"

"Play what?" Harry asked.

"Anything?" Saffron asked thoughtfully.

"I suppose," Harry grinned at his wife.

"Stay here," Saffron told them. "Be right back!"

"What's she up to?" Harry asked.

"With her, you never can tell," Hermione said. "She was so excited when I picked her up at school today. You should have seen the look on her face when she told me about how well she'd done."

Harry laughed. "She's just like you when learning things."

Hermione grinned. "And she's as competitive as you."

"She's the best, that's why," Harry said proudly.

"And we're not biased at all," Hermione grinned.

"Of course not," Harry scoffed.

Saffron came back into the room, dragging her toy chest with her.

"Baby, how did you get that downstairs?" Hermione asked.

"I really wanted it and it followed me," Saffron replied.

"I'll say it did," Harry replied.

"She levitated it by herself?" Hermione asked taken aback.

"It floated behind me," Saffron nodded.

Hermione looked at Harry. "I can't believe it."

"She's got the touch," Harry said as the trunk banged to the floor behind Saffron.

Hermione was in awe. "Baby, have you done something like this before?"

"Sometimes my stuffed animals fly around my room," Saffron told her mother.

"Why didn't you say anything?" Hermione asked sitting down on the floor while Saffron opened up the trunk and started pulling out toys.

"Nobody asked me," Saffron said innocently.

"Good point," Harry chuckled. "So what are we going to play?"

"How about dress up?" Hermione asked grabbing one of Saffron's tiaras and putting it on her husband's head.

Saffron giggled. "Daddy you're so pretty!"

Harry made a goofy face at his daughter. "I prefer beautiful, Saffy."

"Okay," Saffron was still giggling. "Daddy's beautiful!"

"It is quite a look for you," Hermione laughed.

"Take a picture Mummy," Saffron said.

"Okay," Hermione grinned getting to her feet. "I'll get my camera. Don't move."

"I don't think so," Harry reached for the tiara.

"Spoil sport," Hermione said. "Well, at least let me get a shot of the two of you."

"Please Daddy?" Saffron asked.

Harry pulled her onto his lap. "Okay, okay."

Saffron grinned widely.

Harry kissed the top of her head. "I love you, baby."

"I love you too Daddy," Saffron said happily. "This much!" she spread her little arms as wide as they would go.

"I love you that much too," Harry said putting his arms around her as Hermione got her camera. At the last moment, he grabbed the tiara and put it back on his head. "This doesn't leave the house, got it?"

"Promise," Hermione said with a grin.

"Daddy and Saffy!" Saffron grinned for the camera.

Harry chuckled and kissed her cheek. "That's right baby."

Hermione took the picture. "Perfect!"

"Now I have to find a dress," Saffron scrambled off his lap.

"Lucky for me, those dresses are too small for me," Harry whispered to his wife.

"I could fix that," Hermione teased.

Harry put his hand over her mouth.

Saffron pulled out a white dress. "Wedding!"

"Are you getting married, baby?" Hermione asked.

Harry shook his head. "My little Saffy is never getting married. Right, baby? You're going to stay with us forever."

"It's just pretend, Daddy." Saffron said.

Harry let out an exaggerated sigh of relief. "That's my girl."

Hermione laughed. "Well, let me transfigure you a bouquet, Saffy."

"Flowers!" Saffron said excitedly. "But who's my husband?"

"How about we send for RJ?" Harry teased.

"Eww!" Saffron made a face.

Harry laughed. "I thought you liked RJ, Saffy."

"But not for a husband!" Saffron exclaimed.

"How about Mr. Bear here?" Hermione asked holding up Saffron's stuffed panda.

"Okay," Saffron agreed.

"I might like to have a few words with Mr. Bear," Harry said.

"About what?" Saffron asked as Hermione helped her into the white dress.

"Make sure he's right for my little girl," Harry said.

"Daddy," Saffron said exasperatedly. "I already told you its just pretend!"

Harry laughed. "Okay, okay."

Saffron whirled in a circle. "I'm so pretty!"

"You are," Harry agreed, grinning at her. "You look just like your mum did on our wedding day."

"I do?" Saffron asked delightedly.

"Yes you do," Hermione said taking the framed photograph from the fireplace mantle and showing it to her daughter. "That was me on my wedding day with your daddy."

"Mummy you were the most beautifulest bride ever!"

Hermione kissed Saffron's cheek. "Thank you, sweetheart. But, I think you are the most beautifulest bride ever."

Saffron hugged her mother.

Hermione held her tightly. "And you know what you also get to do at your wedding?"

"What?" Saffron asked.

"The bride dances with her father," Hermione whispered.

"I do?" Saffron asked.

Hermione nodded.

Harry tapped Saffron on the shoulder. "May I have this dance?"

"Okay, Daddy." Saffron said excitedly.

Harry held out his hand.

Hermione walked over to her desk and turned on the Wireless.

"It's my favourite song," Saffron said happily.

Harry picked her up and Saffron put her arms around his neck.

"I love you Daddy," Saffron said, her feet dangling as Harry swung her around.

"I love you too," Harry whispered.

Hermione took another photograph of her husband and daughter.

"I won't leave, Daddy," Saffron told him.

Harry held her tightly. He knew that someday she would. Someday, years from now, she would be wearing a real wedding dress and he'd be dancing with her while her new husband watched.

"Are you all right?" Hermione asked, jolting him back into the present.

"Just remembering," Harry said quietly.

Hermione continued to stroke his hair back.

"I made fun of Ron," Harry mused. "When he was getting so emotional about Maddie getting married. I thought he was crazy, but here I am feeling the exact same way about my baby girl."

"I know," Hermione said softly. "He knows too."

"He's going to have a field day with me," Harry said with a laugh.

"I won't let him," Hermione said.

Harry put his arms around her. "Thanks, Hermione."

Hermione gave him a kiss. "I love you."

"I love you too," Harry said. He looked at her. "What did you do with that photograph by the way? The one that we took in your home office with me wearing Saffy's crown?"

"That's in my office, in a drawer where no one but me can see it." Hermione answered.

Harry grinned. "Good."

"I'd better go see about making those reservations," Hermione said.

Harry nodded. "Let me know."

"I'll send down a note," Hermione answered.

Hermione walked out of his office and bumped into her son. "Ethan!"

"Hey Mum," Ethan said. "Heard the good news, eh?"

"Yes, I did," Hermione grinned. "Your father's having a little trouble with it."

"I'm sure," Ethan said ruefully.

"How about you?" Hermione asked. "She is your baby sister?"

"I like Andrew," Ethan said. "I think he's been good for her."

"He has," Hermione agreed. "And he fits in nicely with our family."

"I won't have to rough him up," Ethan grinned.

Hermione swatted at him. "Ethan James."

"Just kidding," Ethan answered.

"I'm going to make reservations," Hermione told him. "Are you, Kiera and Maddie in?"

Ethan nodded. "Let me just make sure, but I'm positive we'll be there."

"Okay," Hermione said. "I'll see you later."

Ethan pecked his mother on the cheek. "See you later."

"Behave yourself," Hermione teased as she left headquarters.

"Never!" Ethan called.

Meanwhile, Maddie was sitting at her desk feeding Kiera her bottle. One of the perks of her job was being able to bring Kiera to work with her. Smythe had been more than accommodating and all of Maddie's co-workers had fallen in love with the baby.

"That's my hungry girl," Maddie said softly.

"How is our little mind reader today?" Smythe asked.

"She's good," Maddie replied. "Just finished eating."

Smythe smiled. "And how are you? Have you had any visions today?"

"Not today," Maddie shook her head. "So I've been organising old cases."

"That's me as well," Smythe told her. "If anything comes up, you'll let me know?"

"Soon as it hits," Maddie promised,

Smythe was on her way out when Ethan arrived.

"Don't worry, I'm here for purely personal reasons," Ethan said with a charming grin.

"I saw that," Smythe teased.

"Cute, Smythe," Ethan said laughing. "Very cute."

Maddie smiled when she saw her husband. "This is a pleasant surprise."

"Did I miss her lunch?" Ethan asked.

"Just now," Maddie replied. "But you can still burp her."

Ethan laughed. "The fun stuff."

"I do know it's your favourite part." Maddie laughed.

"Come to Daddy," Ethan said picking up a towel from Maddie's desk and draping it over his shoulder. He gingerly took the baby from Maddie. "Okay, Kiera. I know you've got a good one in you..."

"What brings you by?" Maddie asked as Ethan patted Kiera's back gently.

"Big news," Ethan told her. "You're never in a million years going to guess what it is."

"Hmm..." Maddie closed her eyes. "I bet if I concentrate..."

Ethan shook his head. "No. No. None of that. Just guess."

"I don't know," Maddie shook her head. "But it must be important if you're down here."

"Saffy and Andrew are engaged," Ethan told her.

Maddie's jaw dropped open. "What!"

"She and Andrew were upstairs a few minutes ago," Ethan said. "Telling Mum and Dad."

"Oh my goodness!" Maddie said. "How wonderful!"

"And what about you, Kiera Faith?" Ethan asked looking down at his daughter. "What do you think?"

Kiera let out a rather loud burp and then cooed happily at her father.

Ethan laughed. "I knew she had a good one in her."

"She's your girl," Maddie said dryly.

"That was a Weasley burp," Ethan said.

"Sure it was," Maddie shook her head. "So Saffy and Andrew... engaged. I can't believe it."

"Neither can I," Ethan said sitting down with the baby.

"She'll be a lovely bride," Maddie said.

"They haven't set a date yet," Ethan said. "At least I don't think they have. Mum said we were all going out to celebrate."

"Where at?" Maddie asked.

"The Ivy," Ethan said in a deep voice.

Maddie's eyebrows rose. "How fancy!"

"Only the best for the brat," Ethan joked.

"Are we going?" Maddie asked as Kiera kicked her little legs.

"I told Mum I needed to check with you," Ethan replied.

"I'd love to go and help celebrate," Maddie replied.

"Me too," Ethan said. "And I'm sure this one would love to get all dressed up, wouldn't you, Kiera?"

Kiera cooed at him.

"It'll be the perfect opportunity for me to dress her up in the new outfit Nana made for her," Maddie said eagerly.

"She's going to look gorgeous," Ethan said kissing his daughter's soft cheek.

"Of course," Maddie replied. "I'm going to go talk to Smythe and see if I can't get the rest of the afternoon off to get ready."

Ethan grinned. "I wish I could do the same. You know how long it takes for me to get dressed and made up."

"All of five minutes?" Maddie returned.

"Funny," Ethan said setting their daughter back in her portable crib. "You be good for Mummy, Kiera."

"She always is," Maddie gave her husband a kiss.

"I'll let you know what time we're going," Ethan said.

"Sounds great," Maddie said.

256. The Engagement Party Chapter 256

Authors’ note: More engagement in this one---a party! And if you were missing Zander/Ashley/Brittany, you get some of them thrown in too! We hope you enjoy!

At Hogwarts, Julie was finishing up her lesson with the second year Gryffindors and Slytherins. Most of them weren't even paying attention to her. They were already on Summer Holiday countdown. "So, the important thing to remember about defensive spells," Julie was lecturing. "Is that you have to think quickly. Most of the time you're not going to have time to think about what will work best. You have to trust your instincts."

The Slytherin side scoffed and continued passing notes while at least a few of the Gryffindors paid some attention.

"Miss Murray," Julie called on Brittany. "What would you consider an Unforgivable curse?"

"Split ends," Brittany replied. "And bad dye jobs."

The Gryffindor side laughed, including Ashley.

"Well, it is," Brittany said defensively. "Completely unforgivable if you ask me."

Julie laughed. "You're in luck, Miss Murray. Class is over, but I trust that tomorrow, you will have the CORRECT answer."

"Yes Professor," Brittany said.

Everyone began gathering their belongings and Zander nudged Ashley. "Saffy's here."

"What?" Ashley whirled around.

She turned to see her aunt striding toward the front of the classroom. Ashley's first instinct was to think that something was wrong, but her aunt was grinning.

"Jules!" Saffron called out.

"I'll catch up to you guys," Ashley told her friends.

"Andrew asked me to marry him!" Saffron crowed as Ashley joined her mother and aunt.

"Saffy!" Julie exclaimed.

"You're engaged?" Ashley asked with a gasp.

Saffron nodded and held out her hand. "He asked me today!"

"Oh, Saffy!" Julie breathed. "That's beautiful!!"

Saffron hugged her big sister. "Julie! I'm so happy!"

"I'm so happy for you," Julie hugged her sister.

"This is so great!" Ashley exclaimed. "And so romantic!"

"Thanks Ash," Saffron hugged her niece.

"When's the big day?" Julie asked.

"We haven't set a date yet," Saffron replied.

"Do Grandma and Grandpa know?" Ashley asked.

Saffron nodded. "Mum's making reservations at The Ivy for tonight."

"Nick and I will be there," Julie said. "I'll be out of here by six."

"I hope you all have fun," Ashley said softly, feeling a bit left out.

"Ashley Beth Malfoy," Saffron said putting an arm around her niece. "Do you think we'd celebrate without you there?"

"You mean I can come?" Ashley sent a pleading look to her mother.

Saffron looked at Julie. "I already asked Headmaster Wood when I arrived. He said it would be okay as long as you saw her safely back to the castle tonight."

Ashley squealed and hugged her aunt. "Thank you!"

Saffron grinned. "We're going to have the best time, Ash."

"I'm sure Alexa will be your maid of honour, right?" Julie asked, putting an arm around her sister.

"Yes," Saffron nodded. "And I was hoping you'd both be bridesmaids?"

"Really?" Ashley asked. "You want ME to be a bridesmaid?"

"Of course," Saffron said. "Not only are you my niece, you're one of my best friends, Ash."

"Wow," Ashley said. "Thanks Aunt Saffy."

"Of course," Saffron told her.

"That's awfully sweet of you," Julie said to her sister. She knew how much her daughter looked up to Saffron.

Saffron grinned. "Ash is going to look gorgeous."

Ashley blushed. "This will be so, so much fun."

"I think so too," Saffron said dreamily. "I don't think I've stopped smiling since he asked me."

"It's so romantic," Ashley said softly.

"It is," Julie said giving her sister one last hug. "It's so great to see you so happy, Saffy."

"Thanks," Saffron said. "It's so nice to feel happy again."

"Mum and Dad really are going to have an empty nest," Julie grinned.

"I know," Saffron said ruefully.

"You'll visit them all the time," Ashley said. "You and Grandma and Grandpa are so close, Aunt Saffy."

"I know," Saffron said. "I'm sure I'll still see them nearly every day."

"Ashley, you should go on to your next class," Julie told her. "I'll pick you up in the common room at six, okay?"

"Oh!" Ashley exclaimed. "I'll be late to potions!"

"Good old Snape," Saffron said. "Tell him I said hello."

Ashley giggled. "Yeah right Aunt Saffy. I'll see you tonight!"

Ashley hurried out of the room and ran as fast as she could to the dungeons. She was out of breath when she stepped into Snape's classroom.

"Miss Malfoy, take your seat," Snape said. "You're late."

"I'm sorry, Professor," Ashley said quickly before taking her seat in between Brittany and Zander.

Zander looked at the potions professor in amazement. Last week, he'd been late for class and Snape had made him stay after class to clean up.

"See that it doesn't happen again," Snape said before turning to his lesson for the day.

"Is everything okay?" Brittany whispered to her friend when Snape had turned his back.

Ashley nodded. "Aunt Saffy and Andrew are engaged!" she whispered back.

"WHAT?" Brittany shrieked.

Snape turned around. "Miss Murray! Something you'd like to share with us?"

"No, sir," Brittany said hastily. "I---I just got really excited when you started talking about that potion."

A laugh rose up from the Slytherin side of the room.

"Pay attention," Snape barked at her.

"Yes sir," Brittany said in a subdued voice.

Brittany grabbed her quill and scribbled a quick note to Ashley. "That's so great! When's the wedding?" she wrote.

"Don't know yet," Ashley wrote back. "I'll find out tonight I'm sure."

"Tonight?" Brittany wrote back.

"I'm going to dinner at the Ivy," Ashley scribbled down. "Aunt Saffy cleared it with the headmaster."

"Am so jealous!" Brittany wrote back. "I want full details when you get back!"

Ashley nodded at her.

Brittany thought of something else and she quickly scribbled it down. "You can borrow a dress of mine, if you want."

"Thanks," Ashley mouthed to her.

Zander couldn't see what they were writing about and he would have asked, but he knew Snape was itching for a chance to yell at him.

He figured he'd have to wait until after class was over to see what Brittany had gotten so excited about.

Class seemed to drone on and on with Snape prattling about what they could expect on next week's exam.

Brittany tried not to yawn. She couldn’t wait to get out of class to pump Ashley for information.

Thankfully, the class finally came to an end. "Okay," Brittany said grabbing her friend by the arm. "Spill. What do you know so far?"

"Just that he asked her to marry him," Ashley said. "They don't have a date set yet, but I get to be a bridesmaid!"

"Who's getting married?" Zander asked in confusion.

"Saffron and Andrew!" Brittany exclaimed.

"Whoa, really?" Zander asked.

"And Ashley gets to be a bridesmaid," Brittany said enviously.

"I still can't believe she asked me," Ashley said.

"Why wouldn’t she?" Zander asked.

"I'm younger than she is and she has a lot of friends," Ashley replied.

"Yeah but you two are really tight," Brittany said,

"She's always been so easy to talk to," Ashley told them. "More like a friend than an Aunt, you know?"

"And I'm sure that's why she asked you," Brittany answered.

Ashley smiled. "She said I was one of her best friends."

"That is so, so cool," Brittany said.

"Is your sister going to do it, too?" Zander asked.

"I don't know," Ashley said. "I'm sure Aunt Saffy won't leave her out.

Brittany shuddered. "Could you imagine if she did? I wouldn't want to be around Katie..."

"Don't let her hear you say that," Ashley said. "She thinks the sun rises and sets on you."

Brittany grinned. "Well, it does."

Zander rolled his eyes.

"I love Katie," Brittany said. "I'm just saying that if she's left out of the bridal party, I wouldn't want to be in the line of fire."

"That's true," Ashley replied. "But Aunt Saffy wouldn't do that to her."

"I love weddings," Brittany exclaimed suddenly. "They are so romantic. I already have mine all planned out...”

"To Evan, right?" Zander asked.

"Maybe," Brittany poked him in the side.

"I'm so excited," Ashley said. "Come on Brit- let's see the dress you'll let me borrow. I have to start getting ready!"

Zander just shook his head as the two girls took off toward Gryffindor Tower.

"It's going to look so great on you," Brittany said. "You remember that one I showed you that Mum bought me for Easter?"

"Oh that one is gorgeous," Ashley said.

"And I bet Corinne will let you borrow her pearl earrings, too!" Brittany exclaimed, referring to one of the other girls in their dorm.

"Maybe," Ashley said.

"This is going to be so much fun," Brittany said as she led the way upstairs.

"A real joy," Zander muttered.

"Zander," Brittany called out over her shoulder. "I'll meet you down here after I help Ash get ready. You, me and Evan can go to dinner together."

"Sure," Zander said. "Have fun, Ash."

"Thanks, Zander," Ashley said. "But, I'm sure I'll see you before I leave."

"I hope so," Zander smiled at her.

Ashley smiled back at him before hurrying upstairs behind Brittany. Once they hit their room, Brittany was like a whirlwind. "Corinne! I need your pearl earrings and that necklace!"

Corinne looked up from her book. "Hello? You could ask, Brit."

"Can I borrow your pearl earrings and your necklace?" Brittany asked.

"That's better," Corrine said with a grin. "Why do you need them?"

"Ashley's going to The Ivy tonight!" Brittany announced.

"My aunt's engaged," Ashley told Corinne. "It's a family party to celebrate."

"You mean Saffron?" Corinne asked.

"Yes," Brittany replied, before Ashley could. "To the dreamy Andrew Kirke."

"NO WAY!" Corinne squealed.

Brittany grinned. "Yes, now you can see why I acted like I did in Potions!"

"Oh definitely," Corinne jumped up.

"Can I do your hair and makeup?" Brittany asked.

"I don't usually wear makeup, Brit," Ashley replied. "You know that."

"But this is a special occasion!" Brittany exclaimed.

"Okay, but not too much," Ashley told her.

"Cool," Brittany sat down and pulled out her collection of makeup.

"Your aunt is going to make a beautiful bride," Corinne commented.

"Definitely," Ashley said.

"Cori, do you think we should put her hair up or down?" Brittany asked.

"Her hair is so pretty," Corinne said. "Let's curl it and leave it down."

"That's what I was thinking too," Brittany commented. "Okay, Ash. You just sit there and let us get to work."

"Okay," Ashley sat down and hoped her friends wouldn't go overboard.

Nearly an hour later, Zander was waiting with Evan for Brittany. Julie had arrived at around the same time and was making small talk with the boys.

"I hope she's ready soon," Julie checked her watch. "We're going to be late."

"I think Brit was planning something massive," Zander told her. "We might never see them again."

"Ashley!" Julie called. "We need to go!"

"Coming," Ashley called out. "Brit! I need to go..."

"Just one more thing!" Brittany's voice drifted down.

"She looks gorgeous," Corinne studied Ashley. "Come on, Brit. Our work here is done."

Ashley breathed a sigh of relief as she got up to head downstairs. "Thanks you guys."

Brittany and Corinne followed behind Ashley as she walked out of the room. Zander's back was to the staircase when he heard Ashley's voice.

"Sorry, Mum," Ashley apologised. "Brit and Cori went a little overboard."

"Oh sweetheart you look beautiful," Julie said.

Zander turned around and his jaw dropped.

Ashley's long hair was curled loosely and hung past her shoulders. She wore Brittany's dress and the colour made her green eyes stand out.

"I'll see if I can bring you back something sweet," Ashley said winking at Zander.

"Uh..." Zander gulped.

Brittany stifled a giggle at the expression on her cousin's face. "That's really sweet of you, Ash. Zander would love that."

"Yeah," Zander said. "Uh... thanks..."

"We'd better go," Julie said. "Good night, you lot."

"Bye Professor," a few of them chorused.

Ashley followed her mother out of the common room. "How are we leaving, Mum?"

"I'm going to Apparate us both," Julie told her.

"Once we're outside the grounds," Ashley said remembering that you couldn't Apparate within the castle or on the grounds of Hogwarts.

"Exactly," Julie said with a smile.

"How did Katie react to the news?" Ashley asked.

Julie laughed. "She asked if she could be the maid of honour."

Ashley giggled. "That sounds like Katie."

"I think she was a bit disappointed when Saffron told her Alexa was going to be maid of honour," Julie said. "But Saffy said that she and Caroline would be junior bridesmaids."

"That's perfect," Ashley said.

"I think Chloe's going to be the flower girl," Julie said.

"Chloe adores Aunt Saffy," Ashley commented as they stepped outside. Ashley pulled her coat tightly around her.

"Yes she does," Julie said. "And that feeling is mutual."

Ashley took her mother's hand. "I'm really glad I'm able to come tonight."

"Me too, sweetheart," Julie said as they ambled towards the gates.

"Will Kiera be here tonight, too?" Ashley asked hopefully.

Julie laughed. "Yes."

Ashley grinned. "I can't wait to see her!"

"She's gotten big," Julie reported.

"I'm going to give her lots of hugs and kisses to make up for not seeing her," Ashley said.

Julie smiled at her daughter. "Your dad's going to flip his lid when he sees how grown up you look."

Ashley blushed. "Brit and Corinne kind of went a little overboard dressing me up."

"You're becoming a beautiful young woman, Ashley," Julie said with pride.

Julie hadn't missed the look that Zander had given her daughter when he'd seen her tonight.

"Katie's the beautiful one," Ashley said. "I'm just...me."

"You are just as pretty as your sister," Julie corrected.

"Thanks," Ashley said softly. She and her mother stepped just outside the gates.

"Hold on to me, sweetheart," Julie said.

"Okay," Ashley said hugging her mother.

Julie closed her eyes and envisioned the Minister's mansion, where they were all meeting.

"Someone's here!" Katie exclaimed when she heard a pop coming from the sitting room. She ran into the room and frowned when she saw it was just her sister. "Oh, it's just you."

Ashley frowned. "Hello to you too."

"I thought you were Caroline!" Katie exclaimed in exasperation.

"They're coming too?" Julie asked. "My, my."

"Just Caroline," Katie said. "Daddy went to get her."

"That was nice," Ashley said softly.

"Ashley!" Hermione exclaimed when she saw her granddaughter. "Look at how beautiful you look!"

"Thanks Grandma," Ashley blushed.

"I'm so glad that you were able to be here," Hermione said giving her a hug.

"Thanks to Aunt Saffy," Ashley said. "She asked if I could go."

"Sophie's here," Katie told her sister. "She's playing with Puddles."

"Really?" Ashley asked excitedly.

"Daddy thought you might want to see her since you haven't in awhile," Katie said. She turned toward the kitchen. "Sophie! Sophie, come here!"

"Sophie!" Ashley exclaimed when she saw her dog.

"She missed you," Julie said as Sophie came to Ashley.

"I've missed her too," Ashley scooped the little dog up.

"Someone else wants to say hello," Maddie said bringing the baby into the room. Kiera was wearing the dress that Molly had made for her.

"Oh!" Ashley exclaimed when she saw her cousin.

"She's excited because it's her first night on the town," Ethan joked.

"Look at you, Ashley!" Maddie said. "You're just gorgeous!"

"Thanks, Aunt Maddie," Ashley said smiling at her. "So are you!"

Maddie smiled at her niece. "It's so good to see you."

"It's great to see you too," Ashley said. "Hi, Uncle Ethan."

"Hi Ash," Ethan grinned at her and gave her a hug.

Julie walked over to stand beside her youngest daughter who was frowning. "Cheer up, sweetheart. This is a happy occasion."

"But I just want Caroline to get here," Katie said.

"I imagine your father let you bring Caroline along because you did so well on your last couple of reading tests," Julie said. "I'm so proud of the progress you've made, Katherine Rose."

Katie smiled; glad the attention was focused back on her. "Thanks."

Julie put an arm around her. "You've worked really hard."

Katie nodded. "Really, really hard."

"And because of that," Julie said. "I was thinking I might take you to Paris next weekend to pick out some things for Brighton."

"WHAT?" Katie shrieked.

Julie laughed. "I take it you like that idea, then?"

"Yes, yes, yes!" Katie hugged her mother.

"Hard work deserves reward," Julie said hugging her tightly.

"Thanks," Katie glowed.

"Just you and me," Julie promised.

"That'll be so, so fun, Mummy." Katie said. "I can't wait!"

Caroline and Nick arrived and Katie excused herself to welcome her friend. "Caroline, you look so pretty!"

"So do you," Caroline grinned at her.

"Guess what?" Katie asked. "Mummy is taking me to Paris next weekend and we're going shopping!"

"That's so cool," Caroline breathed. "You're so lucky Katie."

Katie beamed. "It is cool isn't it?"

Caroline nodded and her gaze moved past Katie. "Wow! Ashley looks sooooo pretty tonight!"

Nick turned and saw his oldest daughter. "Ashley..."

Ashley looked up. "Hi Daddy!"

"What have you done to my little girl?" Nick teased.

"Brittany and Corinne helped me dress tonight," she said shyly.

Nick gave her a hug. "You look beautiful."

"Thanks Daddy," she said softly.

"Saffy, Andrew, and the Kirkes will meet us at the restaurant," Hermione told them. "I'm just going to check on Harry."

"I'll go with you," Ashley volunteered.

Hermione smiled. "Come on then."

Ashley hurried next to Hermione. "Is he happy?"

"He is, but it's hard for him to let go," Hermione told her.

"I'll spend loads of time with him this summer," Ashley promised. "To help him out."

Hermione put her arm around her granddaughter. "He will love that."

"I'm glad," Ashley leaned against her.

Hermione opened their bedroom door. "Harry?"

He stepped out of the closet, his tie draped over his shoulder. "I'm nearly finished---Ashley!"

"Hi Grandpa," Ashley said.

“You look beautiful, sweetheart," Harry said giving her a kiss on the cheek.

"Thanks," Ashley blushed.

"Want me to help you with that?" Hermione offered tugging at his tie.

"You always need to help me," Harry sent her a crooked grin.

"I wonder how you made it through all those years at Hogwarts without me," Hermione mused.

"Don't ask," Harry replied.

Ashley grinned as she watched her grandmother help Harry with his tie. "I have to help Zander all the time with his," Ashley said. "He's hopeless at it."

"Do you now?" Hermione asked, working at Harry's tie.

Ashley nodded. "I just have a real knack for doing it."

"There we are," Hermione smoothed the tie.

"Very handsome," Ashley said grinning at him.

"I have two beautiful dates," Harry replied.

"And we'd better get a move on," Hermione said.

"Right," Harry said.

Harry grabbed his jacket and caught Hermione's eye. "I'm fine, Hermione. Really."

She put a hand on his arm. "If you say so."

The three of them walked downstairs and joined the others.

"This portkey's going to take us to an alley just a little ways down from the Ivy," Hermione produced a fork from her bag,

"Come on, Katie, Caroline," Julie said to the two girls who were playing with Sophie.

"Coming, Aunt Julie," Caroline helped put Sophie with Puddles into a pen.

"Okay, everyone," Hermione said. "Ready?"

Everyone reached and touched the portkey.

Hermione had pulled some strings and managed to obtain reservations for the private room.

Saffron, Andrew and his parents had already arrived. "This is amazing," Andrew said.

"It really is," Saffron agreed. "Mum really came through."

Andrew pulled out her chair for her. "She sure did."

Saffron beamed at him. "Thank you."

"Anything for you," Andrew grinned at her.

Tricia Kirke smiled at her future daughter-in-law. "Saffron, that dress is amazing."

"Thank you," Saffron replied. "It's one of my favourites."

"You stole my line, Mum," Andrew said to his mother. "I was about to say that."

"Sorry love," Tricia smiled proudly at her son.

"Have the two of you found a new place yet?" Andy asked his son.

"We're going to go look at a place this weekend in Mayfair," Andrew said.

Tricia smiled. "Oh, that's a wonderful neighbourhood."

"We thought so too," Andrew grinned at his fiancée.

"Any advice you can give Andrew and me would be greatly appreciated," Saffron told them. "We're new to all of this."

Andy laughed. "Just enjoy each other."

"And remember that your wife is always right," Tricia said with a grin. "Life will go smoothly if you remember that."

Saffron laughed. "I like that rule."

"Saf pretty much is always right," Andrew said. "Most of the time."

"I beg your pardon?" Saffron asked.

"All of the time?" Andrew corrected.

"Better," Saffron grinned at him.

Andy Kirke stood up when he noticed that Potter family arriving.

"Mum!" Saffron exclaimed. "Hi Dad!"

"Hi, sweetheart," Hermione said. "Sorry, we're a little late."

"It's okay," Saffron said. "We just got here."

"Alright, Harry?" Andy asked.

Harry nodded. "Good to see you."

"We couldn't be happier," Tricia told Hermione and Harry. "We love Saffy so much."

"And we just adore Andrew," Hermione said. "He's always been so good to our girl."

Andrew squeezed Saffron's hand. "Thanks again for arranging this, Minister."

"I was happy to do it," Hermione told him.

"Mrs. Kirke, Mr. Kirke," Saffron said. "I'm not sure if you know everyone. You know Julie and Ethan, of course."

"This is my husband Nick and our two daughters, Ashley and Katie," Julie introduced. "And my brother Ethan, his wife Maddie, and their daughter Kiera."

"Kiera!" Saffron exclaimed. "Oh, Maddie! She's adorable!"

"And anxiously waiting to see her aunt," Maddie said with a smile. "Congratulations, Saffy."

"Thanks, Maddie," Saffron said. "Can I hold her?"

"You needn't ask," Maddie passed her daughter to Saffron.

"Hello, sweetness," Saffron said softly. "Hello, my little angel."

Kiera cooed as she waved a little arm in the air.

"I love it when she does that," Saffron grinned.

"Me too," Ethan grinned.

"You have a lovely family," Tricia said. "It's nice to meet all of you. Saffron's told us so much about all of you, I feel as if we know you already."

Everyone sat down; Ashley made sure she had a seat close to her aunt. She blushed when Andrew smiled at her.

"Don't tell Ethan," Saffron said. "But, I'm not giving Kiera back tonight."

Ashley giggled. "My lips are sealed.

Saffron kissed the top of Kiera's head. "She's grown quite a bit since you last saw her, hasn't she, Ash?"

Ashley nodded. "She's so big."

"You've grown up too," Andrew told her. "I almost didn't recognise you for a moment, Ashley."

Ashley blushed. "I had some help getting ready tonight."

"You look beautiful," Andrew told her.

"She does," Saffron agreed. "She always has been beautiful."

Ashley blushed even more deeply.

"How are things at school, Ash?" Andrew asked. "Is your friend still planning on trying out for the house team next term?"

"Zander?" Ashley asked. "Yeah, he really wants to play for Gryffindor."

"That's because traditionally we have the best teams," Saffron said.

"That's right," Andrew agreed.

"We had so much fun playing together," Saffron recalled fondly. "You, me, and RJ."

"Those pickup matches were great," Andrew recalled.

"Yes they were," Saffron said. "Especially all those times we cleaned RJ's clock."

"Those were the best times," Andrew nodded.

Ashley looked confused. "But RJ always says he beat you both every time."

"He's a liar," Saffron said.

Ashley laughed. "So I shouldn't believe a word he says when it comes to Quidditch then?"

"Not unless it's about how great Puddlemere is," Saffron said.

"I'll remember that," Ashley said. "Is he coming tonight?"

"No," Saffron said. "Mum just invited all of us."

"And don't forget me!" Lavender exclaimed from behind her. "Saffron Grace Potter, I can't believe you are engaged and I have to hear it second-hand."

"Aunt Lav!" Saffron exclaimed.

Lavender would have hugged her, but Saffron was still holding the baby. "I just arrived in London a few minutes ago. Seamus sends his love, but he couldn't leave LA. He's filming."

"That's okay," Saffron replied. "I'm so glad you're here."

"Hi, Aunt Lavender!" Katie waved enthusiastically at her.

"Katie!" Lavender hugged her.

"Guess where I'm going next weekend?" Katie asked. Before Lavender could answer, Katie said in a sing-song voice, "Paris!"

"What for?" Lavender asked.

"Because she's doing really well in school," Julie said. "Nick and I are really proud of her."

"That's wonderful, love." Lavender replied.

"Tricia, Andy, you remember my cousin, Lavender, don't you?" Hermione asked.

"I believe we've met," Tricia said.

"I know Seamus from Hogwarts," Andy said. "Good bloke."

Lavender smiled. "He's the best."

"How's Gabe?" Saffron asked.

"Great," Lavender said. "Top of his class again."

"Of course," Saffron grinned. "I can't wait to see him in Brighton."

"He's looking forward to it," Lavender replied.

"I think champagne is in order," Harry said motioning for the waiter.

"Champagne for the adults," Hermione said. "Could you bring some sparkling juice for the children?"

"Of course," the waiter replied.

"Why can't we have champagne?" Katie asked.

"Because you're still a child, Katie," Nick replied.

"I am not," Katie replied.

"She's going to be 11 next month," Caroline told Tricia.

"Caroline," Katie hissed.

"You are," Caroline shrugged.

Katie sighed and sat back, crossing her arms.

"Nine or ten or eleven years old, you wouldn't be able to drink champagne," Nick told her. "Your sister isn't drinking any, either."

Katie sent her sister a disdainful shrug.

Lavender sat down on the other side of Katie. "I don't particularly care for champagne. I much prefer sparkling juice."

"Really?" Katie asked.

"Absolutely," Lavender replied. "Champagne is so last season. Everyone's drinking sparkling juice in LA."

"Wow," Katie said. "That's so cool!"

"It is!" Caroline agreed. "I'm glad we're having that."

"Me too," Katie agreed.

"Crisis averted," Saffron whispered to Ashley. "Aunt Lav certainly knows what to say."

Ashley nodded. "Katie just wants to grow up too fast."

"Nine going on nineteen," Saffron said.

Ashley giggled. "That's just like her."

"She's going to be a handful when she starts dating," Saffron said.

Ashley groaned. "I'll probably have to deal with it at school."

"You can keep her in line," Saffron said.

"I hope so," Ashley looked at her sister.

"What?" Katie asked catching her eye.

"Nothing," Ashley said.

The champagne and juice arrived and Caroline and Katie were happy to see that their juice was served in champagne flutes just like the grown ups.

"Dah-ling," Katie said to Caroline. "This is just so, so posh!"

Caroline giggled. "It is, isn't it? Let's clink our glasses like they do on the telly!"

"Cheers," Katie said.

"Cheers," Caroline said lightly hitting her glass against Katie's.

"A toast to Andrew and Saffron," Harry raised his own glass.

Andrew and Saffron grinned at each other.

"May they be as happy as Hermione and I have been," Harry continued.

Saffron stood up. "Thank you, Dad. I--I haven't had an easy time these last few months. But, I made it through with the help of my family and with the help of Andrew. I feel safe and loved with him and I cannot wait to begin our life together. I'm just so happy that you're all here to celebrate this with us."

"Hear, hear!" everyone raised their glasses.

Saffron beamed at the guests before she took her seat. Andrew gave her a kiss.

"And to my lovely wife to be," he said in a low voice.

"I like the sound of that," Saffron said dreamily.

He gave her another kiss. "I love you."

"I love you too," Saffron whispered. "More than anything."

"My girl," he squeezed her hand.

Saffron couldn't believe how things had changed in such a small amount of time. This morning when she'd woken up, she'd worried that she might be pregnant. And now, she and Andrew were engaged.

That thought still nagged at the back of her mind, but she forced herself to not think about it. There was still that chance she wasn't pregnant, and she was going to bank on that.

"Saffy?" Andrew asked breaking her out of her reverie.

"Yeah?" she asked.

"I asked if you knew what you were going to eat," Andrew said looking at his menu.

"Oh," Saffron said. "Everything looks so good."

"I think I might try the steak," Andrew said.

"The stuffed crab sounds good to me," Saffron said thoughtfully.

"I might have to try that if you get that," Andrew said grinning at her. "Kind of like Ethan and Maddie, but in reverse."

Saffron laughed. "I think that could work."

"It's settled then," Andrew said. "See, our first day as an engaged couple and we're already getting along."

"I hope it's always this perfect," Saffron said.

"It will be," Andrew said. "Especially when you agree that our kids will be Wimbourne fans."

Saffron shook her head. "Never."

"Compromise, Saffron," Andrew said. "Remember?"

"Not over that," Saffron replied.

"You're not going to let me have that, eh?" Andrew asked, shaking his head.

"We'll have to let them decide," Saffron said pertly.

"Fair enough," Andrew said thoughtfully.

"But I think it'll be Puddlemere," she said impishly.

Andrew nudged her. "Thanks, Saffy."

"Of course," she said innocently.

Andrew laughed. "You're lucky I love you so much."

"It's going to be good from here on out, right?" Saffron asked.

"It's going to be perfect," Andrew said touching her cheek.

"Promise?" she asked.

"Promise," Andrew replied. "This is just the beginning, Saffy."

257. Chapter 257

Authors’ note: More drama this chapter after the fluff!

Darla had been home from hospital for three days. Things had been nearly perfect. It was very much like how it used to be before Hans had signed that contract with Calvin Klein. He couldn't have been more attentive and loving.

That morning, he'd served her breakfast in bed and they'd had a nice chat. But, she knew that this wasn't going to last. In four days, he'd be back in New York and she'd be here.

"Here you go," Hans said, coming into the room. "A nice glass of pumpkin juice."

Darla laughed. "Hans, you're going to spoil me."

"That's the idea, babe." Hans sat next to her.

"This tastes really good," Darla said after she took a sip. "I'm so thirsty lately."

"Is that normal?" he asked.

Darla nodded. "Liam said that it was and that it's important for me to stay hydrated."

"Then I'll get you another glass," he moved to get up.

Darla put her hand out to stop him. "It's fine."

"Just let me know when you want something else," he told her.

"I will," Darla promised. "I'm sorry that your holiday has been spent looking after me. I hate that I'm on bed rest."

"I don't mind," Hans told her. "That's why I'm here."

Darla smiled. "I have thought of something that I need."

"What's that?" Hans asked,

"A kiss," Darla replied impishly.

"That can easily be done," he leaned in.

Darla closed her eyes as he pressed his lips gently to hers.

"I love you, babe." Hans said softly.

"I love you too," Darla whispered. "I'm so glad that you're home."

Hans tucked a strand of hair behind her ear and kissed her again.

"You know what I'd love to do today?" Darla asked him.

"What?" he asked.

"You know that my Uncle Seamus' last film was just released on DVD," Darla said. "I was hoping you could----"

Darla's voice trailed off as the mobile phone in Hans' pocket began to ring.

"One sec," Hans told her, jumping up and heading into the hall to answer it.

"Hallo?" Hans answered.

"Hey you," a silky voice purred on the other end.

"Katya," Hans said in a low voice.

"Miss you lots," Katya said.

Hans sighed. "I can't really talk right now."

"So when CAN you?" she asked edgily.

"I'll call you back in five minutes," Hans said. "Okay?"

"I'll be waiting," she said.

Hans hung up and pocketed his phone. He thought that Katya understood where things stood when he'd left. He took a deep breath before walking back into the bedroom.

"Who was that?" Darla asked.

"Just Freddy checking in," Hans lied. "When I made breakfast this morning, I noticed we were running low on some things. I'm going to run to the shops."

"Oh," Darla said. "I was going to ask you to pick up Seamus's new movie on DVD if you didn't mind."

"Final Warning, right?" Hans asked, remembering the title.

Darla nodded. "Thanks."

Hans grinned at her. "Tonight, I'm making the best dinner in the entire world for my beautiful wife and our little boy."

"That sounds wonderful," Darla said.

Hans gave her a quick kiss. "I'll be back soon."

"Okay," Darla smiled at him.

Darla watched him go and then took another sip of her juice. She not only felt guilty about Hans having to deal with this on his holiday, but also because Drew was working alone during the busiest time of year for them.

Her twin had assured her it wasn't a big deal but Darla still felt bad.

Darla reached for her planner and looked through her calendar to make sure there was nothing that she'd forgotten.

She had just flipped open the first page when there was a knock on the door.

Darla set the book aside and pulled back the covers. She grabbed her dressing gown and slowly made her way downstairs.

"One minute!" she called when the knock sounded again. "I'm coming!"

When she opened the door, she was surprised to see Liam Thornhart. A frowning Liam Thornhart.

"What part of bed rest did you not understand?" Liam asked her folding his arms.

"I was just in bed!" she claimed.

"I was expecting your husband to open the door," Liam said.

"He's just run out to the shops," Darla explained.

"Oh," Liam said sheepishly. "I--I didn't mean to jump down your throat. I'm just concerned is all."

"I appreciate that," Darla moved so he could come in.

"I was in the neighbourhood," Liam said. "A house call. I thought I'd stop by and see how you were doing."

"I'm feeling good," Darla told him.

Liam smiled. "You're eating healthy? You're drinking lots of fluids?"

"All of the above," Darla replied.

"Good," Liam said. "Let's get you back upstairs then."

"I'm really okay," Darla protested. "You don't need to bother with me."

"Humour me," Liam said.

"If you insist," Darla replied.

"You would have loved being in the office this morning," Liam told her conversationally. "Josh brought the triplets in to see Lizzy and the three of them were running all around the place..."

"Oh no!" Darla grinned.

"Aidan and Noah were yelling that they were going to do an operation on Casey," Liam said laughing at the memory of it.

"And she probably wasn't having any of it." Darla replied.

"Oh, no," Liam shook his head.

"They're a good bunch," Darla said.

"They are," Liam agreed following her into the bedroom. "Josh told me that you and Drew looked just like Casey when you were kids."

"Very similar," Darla nodded, climbing back into bed.

"So you've not had any more problems?" Liam asked. "No pains? No more dizzy spells?"

Darla shook her head. "Hans has been taking really good care of me."

"That's great," Liam said smiling at her. "I know it's done a world of good for you to have him here."

"It really has," she nodded.

"Well," Liam said. "Now, that I've seen for myself that you're okay, I should be going..."

"Why don't you stay until Hans comes back?" Darla suggested.

"Are you sure?" Liam asked.

"I'd love to have the company," she answered.

"I don't know," Liam teased looking at the magazines on her bedside table. "I wouldn't want to interrupt your educational reading..."

"You mean my Witch Weekly?" Darla asked. "Or Muggle Cosmopolitan?"

"Yes," Liam laughed, picking up a copy of Witch Weekly. "I didn't realise 'Dress Robe Do's and Don'ts' was such a hot topic."

"Oh it's incredibly important," Darla nodded.

"It's kept me up at night," Liam teased. "That and 'How to Attract the Wizard of Your Dreams'."

"I already have that," Darla said with a smile.

Liam smiled back at her. "It's good to see you happy."

"It's hard not to be, when things are finally going right," Darla said.

"It's just what you need for the baby," Liam told her, setting the magazines back down. He grinned when he saw the deck of cards. "Are you a card shark, Mrs. Feinbach?"

"I love playing Solitaire," Darla admitted.

"Me too," Liam said. "And I'm not a bad poker player."

"I've only played that a few times," Darla replied.

"Fancy a game?" Liam asked starting to shuffle the cards.

"Sure," Darla said. "If you've got time."

"Are you kidding?" Liam asked. "I've always got time to clean your clock at poker."

Darla scoffed.

"We can bet using those Bertie Botts as chips," Liam said motioning to the candy dish on the bedside table.

"Okay," Darla pushed herself up into more of a seated position.

"Five card draw," Liam said dealing out the cards.

"Five card what?" Darla asked.

"We each get five cards," Liam explained.

"Oh okay," Darla said.

"You know the general rules, right?" Liam asked her.

"I think so," Darla nodded.

"Okay," Liam said picking up his cards. "I'll start the betting with five Bertie Botts. Now, if you want to call, you'll put five in as well..."

"Okay," Darla threw five beans into the middle.

Liam studied his cards. "Okay, I'm going to discard two of my cards and take two from the deck." He looked at Darla when he was finished. "How many cards do you want to discard?" "Um, three," Darla replied after thinking about it for a minute. Liam dealt her three more cards. He couldn't read from her expression whether she was happy or upset with her new hand.

"Okay," he said. "Just go right there then..."

Darla nodded and watched as Liam added 10 more beans to the jackpot. "Now, if you can either fold or you can see my bet by putting in 10 beans of your own or you can raise."

"I'll raise," she said, throwing in fifteen of them.

"I'll see your fifteen and raise you five," Liam said boldly.

Darla bit her bottom lip. "I'll call."

Liam grinned and revealed his cards. "Two pair," he grinned.

Darla looked worried for a moment before she set her cards down. "All my cards are clubs and in the same numerical order. Is that good?"

Liam stared at her. "Is that good? That's a straight flush, Darla. You--you won."

"I did?" she asked brightly. "Really?"

Liam laughed. "Yes, you did. As if you didn't know. You just played me, didn't you?"

"No," Darla said. "I didn't!"

"Uh-huh," Liam teased. "Good thing we weren't playing for money."

"I suppose," Darla joked.

"I bet you're good at Exploding Snap too," Liam said.

"That I'm an expert at." Darla nodded.

"Are you really?" Liam asked. "Because I'll have you know I'm undefeated."

"Then you've met your match," Darla replied.

"Trash talk from the wedding planner, eh?" Liam asked.

"Can't trash talk the truth," Darla returned.

"Oooooh," Liam winced. "Okay, Feinbach. Where are your Exploding Snap cards?"

"Just in here," Darla reached into the bedside table.

"I'm not worried about my streak," Liam said as she shuffled the cards.

"Neither am I," Darla said.

"Deal," Liam said grinning at her. He couldn't remember the last time he'd enjoyed himself so much.

Meanwhile, Hans was headed towards the shops.

He reached for his phone and dialled Katya's number.

"What took you so long?" she asked in a pouty voice.

"Call me crazy, but I didn't think I should talk to you with my wife within earshot," Hans said sarcastically.

"Why not?" she laughed.

"This isn't funny, Kat," Hans told her.

"Hans, I already told you how I feel," Katya said. "I know you feel something too."

Hans stopped walking and was silent for a long time. The truth was he did feel something for her, but he hated himself for it.

"You can't deny it," she said.

Hans stopped walking and was silent for a long time. The truth was he did feel something for her, but he hated himself for it.

"You can't deny it," she said.

"I'm not denying it," Hans said sitting down on a bench. "I'm trying to be a good husband. I love my wife, Kat."

"And you're also falling in love with me," she pointed out.

"There's a big difference in between love and lust," Hans countered.

"Hans--" she complained.

"Katya, I do care about you," Hans interjected. "I do. This whole time you've been the one person who can understand what this has been like for me."

"Which is why we're so good together." she purred.

Despite himself, Hans laughed. "Katya, what am I going to do with you?"

"You know what I want you to do," Katya said.

"You are determined to lead me astray, aren't you?" Hans asked huskily.

"I only want you to be happy," Katya said in her most innocent voice.

Hans laughed. "Yes, that's all you want."

"And the one other thing I've been waiting for," Katya said in a low voice.

"When I get back to the States, we can talk," Hans said.

"I don't want to TALK to you, Hans," Katya said.

He wasn't so sure that he'd be able to just talk to her, either. He remembered that last day he'd seen her in his dressing room. "I'll be home in three days, Katya."

"I'm counting the minutes," she said in a sultry voice.

"Behave yourself," Hans said huskily.

"Never," she teased.

Hans hung up and sat on the bench for a few moments trying to get his bearings. Katya always managed to do this to him. "Darla," he told himself. "Think about Darla."

She was his wife, and carrying his son. There was no way he could do this to her.

He stood up and walked into the grocer's. He grabbed a trolley and made quick work of picking out the items he wanted. He even bought some strawberry ice cream because he knew that was her favourite.

He supposed he was trying to overcome his guilt by buying her the things she liked.

He didn't know what was wrong with him. When he was in New York, he felt like he could do nothing wrong. Everything moved fast and he liked it that way. He'd worked so hard to reach this point in his career.

But then he'd think of Darla, and their unborn son, and wondered if his place was indeed here in England.

He joined the queue to pay for his items and as luck would have it, a couple was in front of him with their daughter, who looked to be around two years old.

"I love you, Daddy," the little girl said throwing her arms around the man.

"I love you too, pumpkin," the man said, swinging her up in the air.

The little girl giggled and Hans felt a tug at his heart. He could just imagine taking his son here in a couple of years.

"Sir," the cashier asked. "Sir, are you in the queue or aren't you?"

Hans blinked. "Oh-yes, sorry."

She rang up his things quickly. "Is that all?"

"Yes," Hans replied, reaching for his wallet.

The girl blushed when she got a proper look at him. "Are you---are you him?"

"What?" he asked distracted.

"Hans Feinbach," the girl whispered. "Oh my...oh my..."

"Nice to meet you," Hans said.

"Would you sign something for me?" she asked looking frantically around for something for him to sign.

"Sure," Hans said. "Got a bag or something?"

"Um, yes," she said reaching for one under the register. "Here! Could you make it out to---to---what's my name again? Um....Tracey. My name is Tracey."

"Tracey," he smiled at her.

She looked adoringly at him while he signed the paper bag. "My mates are never going to believe this in a million years!"

"Here you go," Hans handed her the bag then picked up his groceries.

"Thank you," she breathed.

"See you around," he said.

Hans walked quickly back to the house hoping that Darla had managed to get some rest. He just hoped Drew wasn't coming around to bring her work that she didn't need to be doing.

"I'm home!" he called as he let himself in. "Dar?"

There was no answer so he set the bags down in the kitchen before going upstairs to check on his wife. He heard the muffled sound of laughter coming from the bedroom.

"Is Drew in there with you?" he called.

"Hans?" Darla asked. "Come on in!"

Hans opened his mouth to ask if they were working and stopped short at the sight of the man sitting next to his wife on the bed.

"You so cheated," Darla was telling Liam. "He took advantage of my momentary lapse in concentration."

"I won fair and square," Liam told her.

"I let you have that one because I felt sorry for you," Darla said grinning at him. "You did lose four in a row."

"Yeah, yeah." Liam put the rest of the cards down. "Hello Hans."

"Hello," Hans said quietly.

"I just dropped by to check on Darla and she asked me to stick around while you were gone," Liam stood up.

"You just dropped by?" Hans asked glaring at him. "I didn't realise healers made house calls."

"I do, sometimes," Liam said. "I had another patient a few blocks away."

"Uh-huh," Hans said folding his arms. "Well, you can leave now." "Hans," Darla chastised him.

"We're doing just fine," Hans continued.

"I should be going," Liam said. "Darla, if you need me, you know how to reach me."

"I do," she nodded. "Thanks Liam."

"I'll see you out," Hans said.

"That's not necessary," Liam replied.

"I insist," Hans said glaring at him.

"I'll see you next week for our appointment," Darla said.

"Take care of yourself," Liam said before following Hans out of the bedroom.

Hans silently led the other man downstairs and opened the door.

"She's doing very well," Liam told him. "I took her blood pressure and it was normal."

"Should be," Hans said shortly.

"Make sure she stays in bed and avoids stress," Liam continued. "And make sure she takes her vitamins."

"I know what to do," Hans snapped at him.

Liam raised an eyebrow. "I'm only looking out for Darla's best interest, Hans."

"So am I," Hans said. "As her husband."

"You don't care for me very much, do you?" Liam asked.

"I don't know you," Hans said evenly.

Liam bit back a retort. He wanted to tell Hans that he would know him if he was around more often, but it wasn't his place to say that. "Just take care of your wife." "What the hell does that mean?" Hans asked.

"Just take care of her," Liam said. "She needs as much support as she can get right now."

"I know," Hans said. "And she's getting that from me."

"Good," Liam said.

"Goodbye, Healer Thornhart," Hans said briskly.

"Nice seeing you again, Mr. Feinbach," Liam said coolly.

Hans slammed the door in Liam's face.

"Hans!" Darla was at the top of the stairs. "What are you doing?"

"Seeing the good healer out," Hans replied turning around to look at his wife. "What are you doing out of bed, babe?'

"I'm not an invalid Hans," Darla said. "Why can't you be nicer to him?"

"Because I know what he's after," Hans replied in exasperation. "I've seen how he looks at you."

"He's my healer!" she said exasperatedly.

"I have to put the groceries away," Hans said not wanting to argue with her.

"I can help," Darla said.

"You can sit and keep me company while I do it," Hans relented.

"Fine," she sighed.

"So, he just showed up out of the blue?" Hans asked as he walked into the kitchen.

Darla shrugged. "It's his job to check on me."

"In our bedroom?" Hans asked.

"You just said yourself, I'm on bed rest," Darla reminded him.

"Point taken," Hans said. "Sit."

Darla sat at the table and leaned back against the chair.

Hans started putting away the groceries telling Darla the things he'd bought. "Strawberry ice cream. Fresh pineapple..."

"That does sound good together," Darla said thoughtfully.

Hans laughed. "Together? Ah, there goes those cravings..."

"First one," she smiled at him.

"We'll need to write that down in the baby book," Hans said.

"Good idea," Darla nodded.

"I'll make some for you and then we'll watch that movie," Hans told her.

"Thanks," Darla smiled at him.

Hans had left his mobile phone on the table. It began to beep. Darla reached for it. "Hans...you have a photo message coming through...."

Hans dropped the pineapple on the counter and grabbed the phone.

"Hans---" Darla protested.

"It's probably something from Freddy," Hans shoved the phone in his pocket.

"Well, don't you want to look at it?" Darla asked curiously.

"I will," Hans replied. "On holiday, remember?"

Darla laughed. "I remember."

"Good," Hans said. "Go get cosy and I'll be in."

Darla stood up and walked over to her husband. "You're being so sweet to me."

"I love you," Hans said.

"I love you too," Darla said softly leaning in and giving him a kiss. "Don't forget my ice cream!"

"Not in a million years," Hans said.

Darla left the kitchen and Hans sighed in relief. That had been a close call.

He pulled out his phone and frowned when he saw the nearly naked picture Katya had sent him.

He thought briefly about calling her, but that would only encourage her. Texting was out of the question, too. He would just ignore her for the time being and deal with it when he was back in New York.

He deleted the message then turned his phone to silent so he wouldn't hear it again for the rest of the day. He knew it was risky in case Freddy tried to ring him, but he couldn't risk Darla finding out about Katya.

Meanwhile, Liam Thornhart had just made it back into the office. He smiled when he saw that Josh was still there with the triplets. He was trying to get the three of them ready to leave. "Need some help, Josh?" Liam asked setting his bag down.

"If you could just get Casey's cloak on mate, that'd be fantastic," Josh said gratefully.

"No cloak, Daddy!" Casey shrieked. She was wearing her princess dress and wasn't ready to cover it up.

"Case, we'll take it off just as soon as we're home," Josh told her.

Liam took the cloak from Josh. "Casey Weasley, will you wear the royal cloak?" Liam asked her.

"Royal?" Casey asked.

"Absolutely," Liam said. "In fact, Princess Jasmine was in here the other day and she said that only Princess Casey could wear such a fine, royal cloak."

"Jasmine here?" Casey said in awe.

"She was here just yesterday," Liam told her.

"Sick?" Casey asked.

"She had a cold," Liam told her. "Because she didn't wear a cloak."

"Ohhhh," Casey's eyes were wide.

"So will you do me the honour of wearing this royal cloak?" Liam asked holding it out for her.

"Yes," Casey nodded. "No sick."

Liam helped her put on the cloak. "Princess Casey."

Casey giggled. "Thank you."

"Thank you," Josh chimed in. "Lizzy was going to help, but she had a patient."

"Glad to be of service," Liam ruffled Noah's blond hair.

"Liz said you were going to stop in and see Darla," Josh said. "How's she doing?"

"Good," Liam nodded. "Hans was home."

"For now," Josh grumbled.

"You don't like him?" Liam asked.

"I don't like how he's treated my little sister," Josh said trying to keep his voice low the children wouldn't hear.

"Understandable," Liam nodded.

"Aunt Dar having a baby," Noah said looking up at Liam.

"She sure is," he nodded.

"Liz and I were talking," Josh said. "We'd love to have you over for dinner some night, Liam."

"That would be great," Liam said. "Bachelor food is not where it's at."

Josh laughed. "I know what you mean. I don't think Jon and I would have survived if Nana hadn't invited us over or brought food."

"Just let me know," Liam said.

Josh picked up Casey. "Say goodbye to Liam, guys."

"Bye!" Aidan waved. "Bye!"

Liam laughed. "Bye, you lot. Be good."

"No," Noah shook his head.

"On that note," Josh said. "We're going to go. Tell Lizzy to hurry home. I'll need reinforcements."

"Will do," Liam laughed. "See you around."

The receptionist smiled at Liam. "They're something else, aren't they?"

"Too much," Liam agreed with a grin. "I've got some paperwork to do."

"Your next patient doesn't arrive until three," she told him.

"Great," Liam said.

"And here are your messages," she said handing them to him.

"Always plenty of those," he groaned.

The receptionist laughed. "Don't shoot the messenger."

"Never," he teased. "Ring me at three when my patient comes in, will you?"

"Of course," she replied.

Liam headed to his office, his mind on Darla.

He'd thought about her more often than he should.

Liam wasn't sure of his intentions with her. In a short time, they had found a friendship which made him aware that he was more concerned about her welfare than he was any other patient's- not that he'd perform his duties in any less of a manner for anyone else.

He could still remember the look of pure joy on her face when she'd beaten him in Exploding Snap.

The thought made him smile.

She was easy to talk to and so warm and welcoming. He felt as if he'd known her for years.

Liam sighed as he opened the first folder in his stack and tried to concentrate on filling out the paperwork for his patients.

Being a healer was the most important part of his life. He'd never regretted his decision to follow this career path, but as he'd told Darla, his past relationships had suffered because of it.

His last girlfriend had always complained he was too busy for her.

Today had been the first time in ages that he'd sat down and just played a game or thought about something other than medicine.

He wondered what that meant for him, and he wondered what it meant for his professional and personal relationship with Darla.

He wondered if Hans Feinbach realised what a wonderful woman his wife was.

*** *** ***

258. Chapter 258 Becca Stirs Up Trouble

Authors’ note: This is a short chapter and we apologize for that. But, the Brighton trip starts next chapter and there wasn’t really a good place to split that first Brighton scene up so we’re just posting this one and you’ll have a nice, long chapter next week. We promise! Enjoy!

It was a quiet afternoon at the pub. Audrey was training Becca on all the different things they had to do, and RJ and Alexa had come by to work on the surprise engagement party they were planning for Andrew and Saffron.

"Why don't you go and clear that table?" Audrey asked motioning to a table near where RJ and Alexa were sitting.

"Sure thing," Becca said, sauntering over.

"Do you think we should have it at the house or at that restaurant she likes so much?" Alexa was asking RJ. "The Sand Dune, right?"

"Yeah," RJ nodded. "I think that's her favourite, next to The Ivy." he said.

Alexa grinned. "You took me there and ate so much that they were happy to see us leave."

RJ laughed. "I closed the kitchen."

"So, our party budget just increased," Alexa teased.

"I'll cover the extra," RJ patted his stomach.

Alexa laughed. "Well, we could have it there or we could have a barbecue on the beach."

"Both sound good to me," RJ said.

"Just as long as there's food, right, Weasley?" Alexa asked.

"Exactly," RJ answered. "I think getting her to The Sand Dune would be easier. She's bound to notice preparation for the barbecue."

"It's going to be hard enough keeping this a secret from her," Alexa said thoughtfully. "She doesn't miss much."

"Unfortunately," RJ joked.

Becca sidled over to their table. "Hi, RJ. I don't believe I've met your friend."

"Hi." RJ said coolly.

Alexa smiled warmly at the other girl. "Hi, I'm Alexa O'Leary."

"Alexa," Becca suddenly smiled. "RJ's ex girlfriend?"

RJ glared at Becca. "We don't need anything. Thanks."

"I'm just being friendly," Becca shrugged.

RJ sighed. "Alexa, this is Aud's cousin. Becca."

"It's very nice to meet you," Alexa smiled.

"It's fantastic to meet you," Becca said with false sincerity. Alexa missed it, but RJ certainly picked up on it. "You have the prettiest red hair."

"Oh... thanks," Alexa said. "Yours is pretty too."

"I'll be around if you need anything," Becca said winking at RJ.

"We won't," RJ said.

Becca was smiling when she walked back to the bar. She had a feeling she could use this to her advantage.

"That was funny," she said going behind the bar.

"What was?" Audrey asked.

"RJ," Becca shrugged. "It's like he couldn't wait to get me out of there so he could be alone with that redhead."

"They're planning a party for Andrew and Saffy," Audrey told her. "Remember me telling you that they're engaged?"

"I think so..." Becca smiled innocently. "Isn’t' that his ex?"

"Yes, but they're still friends," Audrey replied. "Now, I was thinking we could go over how to ring up the tabs..."

"They're only friends?" Becca interrupted.

Audrey nodded. "Why does it matter, Bex?"

"It just seemed like he was getting cosy with her is all," Becca replied.

Audrey looked over in their direction and saw RJ and Alexa sitting close together and laughing about something.

"They're just friends," She shrugged.

"Didn't you tell me he cheated on her when they were dating?" Becca asked.

"Well... yeah," Audrey said uncomfortably.

"Once a player, always a player," Becca said shaking her head.

"He's not like that," Audrey shook her head. "Not at all."

"I'm just looking out for you," Becca said. "You're my best friend, Aud."

"I know," Audrey said. "But I love him."

RJ chose that moment to approach the bar. "Hello, pretty lady. I was wondering if you could put an order in for Lexie and me. Club sandwiches and crisps. All this talk about food has made me hungry."

"I thought you just said you didn't want anything," Becca said, her eyes meeting his.

"I changed my mind," RJ said trying very hard to be polite.

"It's no big deal, Becca," Audrey gave her a strange look.

"I'll go and put the order in," Becca said giving them one last look before she went into the kitchen. "So how are the party plans coming along?" Audrey asked.

"Good," RJ grinned at her. "We've decided on the Sand Dune."

Audrey smiled. "Saffy's favourite place, right?"

"Exactly," he nodded. "The food is amazing there. You'll really like it."

"I can't wait," Audrey said reaching for his hand.

"You look gorgeous today," he leaned in and said softly.

Audrey smiled. "That's very sweet of you to say."

"I tell the truth you know," RJ said.

"I know," Audrey said leaning in to give him a kiss.

"Excuse me, miss," a customer called out. "I'd like another club soda."

"Coming right up," Audrey said, making a face at RJ. "Hold that thought."

RJ grinned and walked back over to his table. "I placed the order for us."

Alexa looked up from her paperwork. "You really don't have to pay for lunch."

"I don't mind," he said.

"Thank you," Alexa said. "I promise next time, it'll be on me."

"I'll keep that in mind," he joked.

"Well, I rang the restaurant," Alexa told him. "They booked us for the 25th at eight."

"Great," RJ said with a grin.

"Now, we can work on the guest list," Alexa said. "So far I've got Gabe and me, you and Audrey, Beth and Peter, Mimi and Jake. Jon, Allie, Josh, Lizzy, Ashley, Drew, Darla, Brian and Hans..."

RJ frowned. "I wouldn't count on Hans."

"Really?" Alexa asked.

RJ shook his head. He told her what had been going on with his older sister.

"I'm sure they can work this out," Alexa said thoughtfully.

"We'll see," RJ replied.

"Well, if he's home now that's a good thing," Alexa said.

"For now," RJ said.

Alexa patted his arm. "You're a great brother to care about her so much."

"Yeah well... you know how we are," RJ grinned at her. "The Six Musketeers."

Alexa gasped. "RJ! Did you just make a LITERARY reference?"

RJ laughed. "Maybe. But, don't you let that get out. I have a reputation to protect."

"I'm just going to hold it over your head," Alexa said.

"Come on, O'Leary," RJ said. "You would do that to me?"

"You bet I would," Alexa laughed.

Becca carried their food over to them. "Here you go."

"Thank you," Alexa smiled at her.

"My pleasure," Becca said smiling back at her.

She included RJ in her smile but he ignored her and dug into his food.

Becca sighed before she walked away.

"You don't like her very much," Alexa commented.

"She keeps hitting on me," RJ said.

Alexa gaped at him. "But she's Audrey's cousin!"

"And her best friend," RJ pointed out.

"Maybe she's just being friendly," Alexa said trying to give the girl the benefit of the doubt.

"It's more than that," RJ shook his head.

"Have you said anything to Audrey?" Alexa asked.

"No," RJ said. "How could I even approach that with her?"

"Yeah, that might be a little tough," Alexa said. "I just can't imagine why she would do something like that if she's so close to Audrey."

"Me either," RJ gazed at his girlfriend.

"How's the food?" Becca asked coming up behind them. She touched RJ on the shoulder.

RJ jerked like he was on fire.

"No, we're great," Alexa replied. "And we're really busy. Lots and lots of stuff to plan."

"Well I'm just checking in," Becca said. "Doing my job..."

"We appreciate that," Alexa said. "And you're doing great."

"Thank you," Becca said brightly.

"So," RJ said ignoring Becca. "Let's finish with the guest list. I can ask the guys from the team..."

"Let's not let this get too out of hand," Alexa cautioned. "We've already got a pretty large amount of people."

"Right," RJ said. "You want to just keep it to immediate friends and family?"

"That's probably the best idea," Alexa nodded.

"Becca!" Audrey called out.

"Yeah?" Becca turned around.

"I need some help," Audrey said impatiently.

"Sorry," Becca hurried over.

"Can you get that tray of drinks?" Audrey asked. "And you really need to not just stand around so much. Vic already said something to me about it before."

"Sorry," Becca said, grabbing the tray.

"I just want this to work out," Audrey said smiling at her cousin. "It's been great having you here."

"It has been pretty fun," Becca grinned back at her.

"Come on," Audrey said. "Let's serve this and then we can both take a break."

"Sounds good to me," Becca followed her cousin.

Back at the table, RJ and Alexa were going over the final guest list.

"So that's 25," Alexa counted. "That sounds like a good number."

"A big number," he nodded.

"It's going to be great," Alexa said. "And you'll ask Jason and Monica, right?"

"I'll send him an owl," RJ nodded. "Andrew will sure be surprised to see them."

Alexa smiled. "It will be great to see them again. It's going to be like a reunion!"

RJ laughed. "And I'm just glad you remember them."

"I remember a lot of the crazy things you used to do," Alexa said throwing a crisp at him. "Like that time you snuck into the girls' loo trying to surprise me and you ended up in the same cubicle as Patti McLaughlin..."

"Shite," RJ shook his head.

"You're lucky she didn't tell McGonagall," Alexa giggled. "I mean you did see her completely starkers..."

"And I'm still haunted by the memory," RJ said shuddering.

"I was pretty mortified when I found out too," Alexa admitted.

"Let's never speak about that again, okay," RJ said.

"Never speak about what again?" Audrey asked sitting down.

"Nothing," Alexa and RJ said in unison and then they both laughed.

Audrey felt left out of their joke, but she tried to smile.

"Are you on your break?" RJ asked.

"Yes," she answered.

"Where's Becca?" RJ asked, praying that the other girl wouldn't join them.

"In the kitchen, grabbing us something to eat." Audrey told him.

"She seems to be doing quite well," Alexa commented. "Is she catching on?"

"For the most part," Audrey nodded. "She needs to sometimes get moving on her own without someone prompting her."

"Maybe this isn't really her thing," RJ said. "Maybe she should get a job in a clothes shop or something."

"She'll be fine," Audrey replied.

"Oh, you know who we forgot?" RJ asked eager to change the subject. "Lex, what if we invited Mary Ellen?"

Alexa rolled her eyes. "Invite Saffy's mortal enemy? I don't think so..."

"It'd be fun," RJ said.

"Who's Mary Ellen?" Audrey asked.

"She was at Hogwarts with us," Alexa explained. "Long story short, she and Saffy competed over EVERYTHING."

"And she was furious when Saf got Head Girl," RJ replied. "Tried to say it was because Jules was Deputy Headmistress."

"Oh," Audrey said nodding.

"Saf would kill us if we invited her," Alexa said. "You remember what it was like to be on Saffy's bad side, RJ. It wasn't a great place to be, was it?"

"Right," he shuddered.

"Aud, would you like to help us decorate before the party?" Alexa asked. "We're doing it on the 25th at eight. I was thinking we'd head over around six and decorate the room."

"I'd love to," Audrey said, smiling at her.

"Great," Alexa said. "We'll use RJ for the manual labour."

"Hey!" RJ said.

Audrey laughed. "Come on. You're so big and tall and strong!"

"Well yes, I suppose I am," RJ flexed his arm.

Audrey put a hand to her heart. "That's my big, strong man!"

RJ laughed and slid his arm around her.

Alexa reached for her mobile phone. "I'm just going to ring Beth and Meems. I'll be right back."

RJ was glad for another few minutes alone with Audrey.

"Andrew and Saffy are really going to be surprised," Audrey said resting her head on RJ's shoulder.

"I hope so," RJ answered, kissing the side of her head. "And I'm looking forward to us moving in together too."

"I can't wait," Audrey said happily.

"I can't wait to spoil you," RJ said.

Audrey giggled. "I'm going to remember you saying that."

"That's okay," RJ gave her a kiss.

Becca walked out of the kitchen and spotted the couple sharing a kiss. She frowned until she saw that Alexa O'Leary was sitting by herself at the bar.

"What brings you over here?" Becca approached her. "Giving the couple of the year a few minutes to themselves?"

"That and I had a few calls to make," Alexa replied.

"Oh," Becca said. "Sorry to bother you."

"It's okay," Alexa said. "I'm finished. I had to leave voice mails."

"Cool," Becca said. "Thirsty? Fancy a beer?"

Alexa shook her head. "I'm good, thanks."

"You sure?" she asked. "On the house."

"I'm positive," Alexa said, raising an eyebrow. This girl was a new employee and Alexa was pretty sure she didn't have the authority to go around giving out free drinks.

"Oh well," Becca shrugged. She looked over at RJ and Audrey again.

"How do you like it here?" Alexa asked conversationally.

"It's pretty cool," Becca replied.

"And I'm sure it's great to work with your cousin," Alexa said. "RJ said you were really close."

"My best friend," she said.

"That's like Saffy and me," Alexa said thoughtfully. "We've been best friends since we were 11 years old."

"Cool," Becca said. "You know RJ as long?"

Alexa nodded. "Yes."

"Was he always... like he is?" Becca asked.

Alexa raised an eyebrow. "I don't know what you mean. Like how?"

"Just... a nice guy?" Becca covered hastily.

"Yes, he's always been a nice guy," Alexa said. "And he's very loyal."

"Loyal, huh?" Becca asked.

Alexa nodded.

"Good to know," she said quickly. "For Aud's sake."

"Yes," Alexa said studying the other girl. "For Audrey's sake. You have nothing to worry about where RJ is concerned. He'd never want to hurt her."

Becca nodded. "Just what I wanted to hear," she lied.

"I'm sure," Alexa said briskly. "Well, if you'll excuse me..."

"Sure thing," Becca replied.

Alexa walked back to the table. "I had to leave messages for Beth and Mimi, but I'm sure they're in."

"Great," RJ said. "Can't wait to see those two again."

"They haven't changed a bit since the last time you saw them," Alexa said.

"They never will," RJ said dryly.

"You'll like them, Aud," RJ told his girlfriend.

"I'm sure I will," Audrey smiled at Alexa.

"I'd better get going," Alexa said gathering up her paperwork. "I have work, too." "I'll go with," RJ said.

"I'll stop by with some of my things when I get out of here," Audrey said. "May as well start moving in."

"Great," RJ said leaning in and giving her a kiss. "Let me know if you need any help."

"Oh I will," Audrey teased. "I'll see you later."

"Bye, Audrey," Alexa said. "And thanks for agreeing to help with the decorations."

"Anytime," Audrey said.

"I have a feeling you're only coming with me to score some doughnuts," Alexa teased RJ as they headed out.

"What are you talking about?" RJ asked innocently.

"I know you," Alexa said. "All too well."

"You only think you do," RJ bumped her shoulder.

Alexa smiled. "This is nice, isn't it? Us being friends again. I missed that."

"Me too," RJ said.

Alexa smiled at him. "I'm glad that we're all friends again. I didn't think it was possible after all that happened."

"It was rough for awhile," RJ nodded.

"I'll never be able to thank you enough for what you did for me last summer," Alexa said. "It meant a lot to me that you were willing to do that for me."

"You were my girl for a long time, Lexie." RJ smiled at her. "I'll always care about you."

"I'll always care about you too," Alexa said turning and giving him a hug.

"Does that get me at least three doughnuts then?" RJ asked impishly.

Alexa pretended to think it over. "How about three doughnuts and three chocolate éclairs?"

RJ practically salivated.

Alexa laughed. "You are soooooo easy, Weasley."

"Hey!" RJ said jokingly.

"Only kidding," Alexa said as they continued walking down the street. She suddenly remembered her conversation with Becca. "I--I think that you were right to be worried about Audrey's cousin."

"Yeah?" RJ asked.

Alexa nodded and told him about what Becca had said. "She made it sound like she was looking out for Audrey, but it seemed to me like she was looking for ammunition."

"I don't get it," RJ said in frustration. "I don't need anyone causing trouble for me right now. Things are right where I want them to be."

Alexa looked sympathetically at him. "You and Audrey are tight, RJ. Nothing that girl tries to do will change that."

"I hope not," RJ answered.

"Besides, you'll be at Brighton for most of the summer," Alexa pointed out.

"With Aud," RJ brightened.

"And Becca is going to be stuck here in London slaving away at the pub," Alexa said. "See? Problem solved."

"That does put it in perspective," RJ admitted.

"It's going to be a great summer," Alexa said optimistically. "You and Audrey are moving in together, Saffy and Andrew are moving in together and I'm spending my last summer here before I go away to school in the States."

"I can't believe you're going there," RJ shook his head.

"Neither can I," Alexa said softly. "I'm excited and scared to death all at the same time. Does that make sense?"

"It's a big change," RJ nodded.

"I just keep telling myself that I'll have Gabe and I'm going to be pursuing my dream," Alexa said.

"Exactly," RJ patted her arm. "He'll take good care of you."

Alexa smiled. "Yes, he will. And I'm going to make sure to get him out of the library every now and again."

"Good luck," RJ said dryly.

Alexa poked him. "Hey! I managed to get you off the Quidditch pitch every now and again."

"Now and again," he grinned at her.

"I expect you to write to me and maybe you and Audrey could come and visit Gabe and me," Alexa said. "I know it's a little awkward..."

"Nah," RJ said. "Not at this point."

Alexa grinned. "I just might be able to add some chocolate chip biscuits to that order of yours."

Back at the pub, Becca and Audrey were back to work. They were refilling the salt and pepper shakers. Becca couldn't think of anything more boring. "It's a shame you and RJ couldn't have spent more time together," Becca commented.

Audrey shrugged. "It's hard while we're working."

"And while he's sitting with that girl," Becca said. "You know, you're certainly a lot more trusting than I would be. Watching your boyfriend spend all that time with his ex-girlfriend. The first girl he ever loved..."

Audrey gave her a look. "I'm perfectly secure in my relationship with RJ, Bex. He's not going anywhere."

"You might want to clue little Red Riding Hood in," Becca said pulling a concerned face.

"She's got a boyfriend," Audrey said. "She's moving to the States in a few months to be by him."

Becca bit her bottom lip. "While you and RJ were alone, I---I overheard her talking to one of her friends on the phone..."

"What?" Audrey asked.

"She was telling some girl named Mimi that she had the greatest day and that she couldn't wait to get RJ alone," Becca confided.

Despite what she'd just told her cousin, Audrey felt a prick of dread in her stomach.

"And they did leave here together," Becca pointed out.

"They're planning a party," Audrey said.

"I'm just telling you what I heard," Becca said defensively.

"RJ wouldn't do that," Audrey said.

"He did before, didn't he?" Becca asked.

"That was different," Audrey pointed out.

"If you say so," Becca said. "But you know what I always say? Once a cheater, always a cheater."

"And I always say, people can change." Audrey returned.

"I'm just telling you to keep your eyes open," Becca said patting her friend on the arm.

"I'll be okay," Audrey told her.

"I'm here if you need me," Becca said smoothly. This was so easy. She could practically see the doubt in her cousin's eyes.

"I'll be fine," Audrey muttered. "I need to take these in back."

"Go right ahead," Becca said. "I can finish up here."

Audrey hurried into the back and dumped the tray of dishes into the sink,

"You alright, Audrey?" Victoria asked.

"I guess," Audrey said.

"You want to talk about it?" Victoria asked.

"I don't even know where to begin, really." Audrey said. "I don't even think anything's wrong, to be honest."

"Is it your classes?" Victoria asked. "I know you have exams coming up. If you need some extra time off..."

"It's not that," Audrey replied. "Just... did you think RJ and his ex girlfriend looked particularly... cosy?"

"Oh," Victoria said nodding in understanding. "I see. Well, I didn't see much of them, but from what I saw, it seemed pretty innocent."

"I just don't know what I'd do if I lost him," Audrey said softly.

"He loves you," Victoria said. "Anyone can see that."

Audrey smiled. "I still can't believe we're moving in together.

Victoria smiled back at her. "He's a great guy."

"He really is," Audrey agreed.

"What made you doubt him?" Victoria asked.

Audrey glanced out the door. "Becca thinks because he cheated on his ex, he might do it to me."

"Your cousin is trying to stir up trouble," Victoria said.

"I hope that's all it is." she said.

"I'm sure it is," Victoria reassured her.

"Thanks Vic," Audrey smiled at her.

"You've worked her for quite awhile," Victoria said. "And I couldn't ask for a better waitress."

"I'm glad," Audrey said. "I love it here."

"Jon and I love having you here," Victoria said. She just wished she could say the same thing for Audrey's cousin.

"I'd better get the rest of those glasses," Audrey said. "I feel better now, Vic. Thanks."

"Anytime," Victoria said.

Audrey went back out to the bar and filled another tray with dirty glasses.

Becca came over to her cousin. "There are some really cute guys in the back playing darts!"

"That's nice," Audrey said.

"I'm going to go and see if they need anything," Becca said. "But first I'm going to freshen up..."

Audrey smiled. "Have fun."

"I always do," Becca said winking at her.

Audrey was glad when her cousin went to the loo. She had initially been happy that Becca was working there, but wondered if Vic was right; wondered if Becca was indeed trying to stir up trouble.

259. Chapter 259 Brighton Begins

Authors’ note: Nice long chapter to make up for the short one from last week. Brighton begins!

It was hard to believe, but June finally arrived and Ethan Potter couldn't have been happier. He had the next few weeks off from work and he was going to spend it with wife and their daughter. They were currently driving to Brighton and Ethan kept stealing glances in the rear-view mirror at his little girl. Kiera was staring wide-eyed back at him from her car seat.

"Enjoying your first car ride, baby girl?" he asked.

Maddie laughed. "I think she is. I would have thought she'd have kipped, but she's stayed awake the whole time."

"She's so alert," Ethan said.

"She is that," Maddie said turning to look at their daughter. "She's excited about her first ever trip to the beach!"

Ethan grinned at his wife. "I've been looking forward to this for ages."

"Me too," Maddie said. She reached across the console and touched her husband's arm. "And this is going to be a great summer. Much better than last year."

"Absolutely," he reached for her hand and squeezed it.

"And remember we can't say a word to Andrew and Saffy about that engagement party RJ and Alexa are planning," Maddie said.

"They won't hear it from me," Ethan promised.

"I still can't believe she's getting married," Maddie said softly. "I'm so happy for them."

"It's weird," Ethan commented. "To think of my baby sister... getting married."

Kiera started to coo from the backseat.

"Kiera thinks it's great," Maddie said turning around and making a goofy face at her daughter.

Ethan laughed as Kiera gurgled and kicked her little feet.

"It won't be long now," Ethan said turning onto the drive leading to the beach house.

"We're almost there, baby girl," Maddie said to her daughter.

"And it will be quiet for about an hour," Ethan said laughing. He, Maddie, and Kiera would be the first to arrive.

"Mmm..." Maddie closed her eyes and breathed in the fresh air.

Ethan smiled. "This is fantastic. No work. No worries...."

"Just time for us," Maddie reached into the back and unsnapped Kiera from the car seat.

"I'll get the bags," Ethan said.

"Thanks," Maddie said, kissing Kiera on the cheek. "What do you think, baby?"

Kiera gurgled in response and Maddie laughed. "I've been coming here since I was your age," Maddie told her.

"Ooh?" Kiera looked at her mother with wide eyes.

Ethan grinned and carried the bags up the steps. "Technically, this is her second trip here. She was in her mummy's tummy when we arrived last year."

"And we didn't know it yet," Maddie nuzzled Kiera's soft cheek.

"Okay," Ethan said setting the bag down and reaching into his pocket for the key. "Kiera Faith Potter, are you ready?"

"Ooooh!" Kiera waved her arms.

Maddie laughed. "That means yes."

"Here we go," Ethan opened the door and stood back so his wife could walk in.

"Here we are," Maddie said softly stepping inside with the baby.

Kiera looked around, her eyes roaming across the hall.

Ethan carried the bags inside. "Ah, the peace and quiet. A shame it can't last..."

Maddie laughed. "We'll make do."

"Let's show her the kitchen first," Ethan said. "Kiera that is the room where you'll usually find all of your Weasley cousins, aunts, uncles and your Grandpa Ron."

Kiera laughed.

"Someone appreciates your jokes now," Maddie teased Ethan.

"About time," Ethan took his daughter.

"Your Grandpa Ron was kind of enough to come down here yesterday and stock up the icebox," Maddie told Kiera.

"I happen to know there are some chocolate chip muffins in there just for you," Ethan grinned at her.

"Mummy's favourite," Maddie said happily.

"That's right," Ethan leaned in and gave her a kiss.

"Buh," Kiera gurgled. "Buh..."

"She misses Blue," Maddie said. "Sweetheart, I'm sure he misses you too. But, we can't really keep him here. But you'll see him soon."

"Buh," Kiera said again.

"Maybe we should have brought him," Maddie said. "Perhaps I could get Nana to bring him by. I mean, Kiera hasn't been apart from him..."

"Mads, it's probably not a good idea," Ethan said.

"Yeah," Maddie said hugging Kiera to her. "I have a picture of him in my bag. Can you get it for me, Ethan?"

"Sure," Ethan said, disappearing into the hall.

"It's okay," Maddie patted Kiera's back.

Ethan came back a few moments later with a photograph of Blue. He handed it to his wife.

"Buh!" Kiera said happily.

Maddie laughed. "That's him, baby girl."

Kiera leaned her head against Maddie's shoulder.

"That's how you used to get when Ron would tell you we had to leave Dolly with your grandparents," Ethan reminded her.

"I always hated leaving her behind," Maddie said wistfully.

Ethan laughed. "I remember you walking around this place with that look of yours trying to get Ron to bring her to you."

"I think that was the only time he didn't give in," Maddie patted Kiera on the back.

"The one and only," Ethan said. "Besides, Kiera can pal around with Puddles."

"She'll love that," Maddie said. "Should we get ourselves settled in?"

"Good idea," Ethan said. "I'm thinking we can set up her crib in our room."

"Just in case she needs us," Maddie agreed.

"I'll bring the bags upstairs," Ethan said.

Maddie followed him up. "Daddy already set it up for us!" she exclaimed.

"That was nice of him," Ethan said setting the bags down on the bed.

"This one will be ready for a kip soon," Maddie replied.

"You think?" Ethan asked.

"Definitely," Maddie replied.

"Without B-L-U-E?" Ethan asked.

"I'll put this right inside her crib," Maddie placed the picture next to the blanket.

"I'll put this away," Ethan said. "Then we can grab something to eat."

"Sounds good to me," Maddie said, swinging Kiera up into the air.

Kiera giggled.

Ethan could listen to that sound for the rest of his life. He hoped Maddie was right and that this holiday would be peaceful and quiet. Merlin knew that was just what they all needed after the drama that had followed them these last few months.

Maddie laughed too. "She loves it here!"

"Which is a good thing because she's going to spend a lot of time here," Ethan commented.

Maddie grinned as Ethan waved his wand, sending their things to the appropriate drawers and closet spaces.

"I don't know how Muggles do it," Ethan said rubbing his hands together.

"Takes too long," she said.

Ethan knew his wife wanted to feed Kiera before she went down for her kip. "I'll go and make us lunch."

"Thanks," Maddie gave him a kiss. "I'll be down in a few minutes."

Ethan gave Kiera a kiss on the cheek. "Sweet dreams, baby girl."

Kiera sent him a gummy grin.

Ethan walked out of the room and downstairs. He saw suitcases by the door. "Hello?"

"In here!" a voice called back.

Ethan grinned when he walked into the kitchen and saw Drew and Brian and Chloe.

"Ethan!' Chloe squealed.

"Hey you," Ethan scooped his niece up.

"We arrived about five minutes ago," Drew said. "We had a feeling you were sorting things out."

"Mads is up feeding Kiera before she goes down for a kip," Ethan said.

Chloe frowned. "I wanted to play with Kiera!"

"You'll get to in a few hours, munchkin," Drew told her.

"I'd better," Chloe said firmly.

Ethan laughed and tickled her. "Or what?"

Chloe thought for a moment. "Or else!"

Brian shook his head. "Are you hungry, Chloe?"

"Duh," Chloe said.

"Duh?" Brian asked. "Where did you hear that, Chloe?"

"Katie," Chloe said.

Brian laughed. "Enough said."

"Hmm," Ethan said. "I'll have to have a talk with my niece."

"The only one she listens to these days is Aunt Lavender," Drew said pouring some lemonade for Chloe.

"True," Ethan replied as he set Chloe down.

"I love the beach!" Chloe exclaimed excitedly.

"We know you do, munchkin," Drew said fondly. "And as soon as we've had lunch and gotten unpacked, we'll go out there."

"She wants to bury her Grandpa in the sand," Brian told Ethan.

"I'll help you with that," Ethan said. "Deal?"

Chloe nodded happily.

"Here you go," Brian said. "One peanut butter and strawberry jam, no crusts."

"Thank," Chloe said climbing into her chair.

"You are very welcome," Brian kissed the top of his daughter's head.

"Dar's coming, isn't she?" Ethan asked pouring himself a glass of lemonade.

"Yeah," Drew said. "Alone."

"He's still in the States, eh?" Ethan asked.

"Went back the other day," Drew said.

"Drew, he was great when he was home," Brian said.

"I know..." Drew sighed.

"Love Uncle Hands," Chloe said before taking a bite of her sandwich.

"I know you do, baby." Drew replied.

"I thought I heard voices from in here!" Maddie exclaimed from the doorway.

"Mad!" Chloe waved a jelly covered hand at her aunt.

Maddie laughed. "Hello, Chloe!"

"You look gorgeous as always," Drew said giving her baby sister a hug.

"So do you," Maddie hugged her back. "Hi Brian."

"Hiya, Mads," Brian said. "I'm making sandwiches. You want one?"

"Do you even have to ask?" Maddie returned with a grin.

"Silly me," Brian said. "I guess I'm the chef for today..."

Maddie laughed. "We have Daddy to thank for that."

"Don't forget those muffins," Ethan told his wife.

"Dessert," Maddie returned.

"Lemonade then?" he asked her.

"Yes, please," Maddie said.

Ethan got up to pour her some and refilled Chloe's glass as well.

"How's Kiera?" Drew asked.

"Wonderful," Maddie said with a grin.

"You should have seen her on the way here," Ethan told them. "Wide awake and taking everything in."

"Awww," Drew smiled. "I can't wait to see her when she wakes up."

"Hello!" someone called out from the other room.

"Jules," Ethan said.

"We're in the kitchen!" Chloe yelled.

Nick, Julie, Katie and Ashley came into the kitchen followed by Sophie.

"Puppy!" Chloe exclaimed.

"Hello everyone," Nick said with a grin. "We thought we'd be the first ones here."

Drew laughed. "Not a chance. We heard there was a fully-stocked kitchen and we came running."

"With my wife on the loose, it won't be fully stocked for long," Ethan joked.

Maddie hit him playfully on the arm. "Shut it, Ethan."

Ashley gave Chloe a hug. "You're getting so big!"

Chloe nodded. "Big girl."

Ashley giggled. "Yes you are!"

"Speaking of getting big, look at you and Katie," Drew said. "Where has the time gone?"

Ashley nodded. "I'm already going into my third year at Hogwarts."

"And soon as I get my letter," Katie interjected. "I'm going into my first!"

"Ooh," Brian said. "Ash, you'll finally get to go to Hogsmeade."

"I can't WAIT!" Ashley grinned.

Katie rolled her eyes. "It's not that big of a deal."

"Yes it is," Ashley said. "Hogsmeade is LOADS of fun!"

"It's completely overrated," Katie said dismissively.

"You won't be saying that when you get to go," Ashley told her.

"Yes, I will," Katie said defiantly. "Mummy, I'm going to go and put my things in my room."

"Leave some extra room in the closet since Mia is joining Caroline this year," Julie called after her.

"What?" Katie asked turning around. "She's coming here?"

"Jack and Claire thought she'd have fun, so she's arriving with Will and Frankie." Julie replied.

Katie folded her arms. "Well, she can't stay in my room with me and Caroline."

"And why not?" Julie asked.

"Because it's always been OUR room," Katie pointed out.

"Katherine Rose," Julie shook her head. "Would you like to spend the first few days here grounded?"

"No," Katie replied.

"I didn't think so," Julie said. "You keep some room in your closet."

"Fine," Katie said stalking out of the kitchen.

Julie sighed. "She's really been something else lately."

"She just likes being the centre of attention," Maddie said. "I'm sure it's just a phase."

"It's been like this for a long, long time now," Nick replied.

"Frankie was like that," Maddie pointed out. "She grew out of it."

"I hope she will," Julie sat down next to her sister in law.

Brian looked at the Malfoys. "You lot want sandwiches? Going once...going twice..."

"I'll take," Nick smiled.

"Sold," Julie replied. "Thanks, Brian."

"I'm going to go unpack too," Ashley said. "And then I have to call Zander."

"Okay, sweetheart," Julie said.

Ashley hurried upstairs. She passed by the room Katie was in and saw her sister flinging her clothes into the closet.

"Katie?" Ashley called out.

"What?" Katie snapped.

"I was wondering if you needed some help?" Ashley asked.

"No," Katie said flatly.

"Come on," Ashley said. "There's room enough for you, Caroline and Mia. Besides, I thought you were all friends."

"Mia's annoying," Katie said. "She's always around."

"You and Caroline are still best friends," Ashley tried to point out. "Nothing can change that. But, you can't be mean to Mia."

"Whatever," Katie turned her back.

"Well, it could be worse," Ashley said trying to make her sister laugh. "I'm sharing a room with babies."

Katie had to smile at that.

Ashley smiled back at her. "So just think of that when you think things are bad? Your big sister has it much worse!"

"I guess having her here wont' be the worst thing ever," Katie admitted grudgingly.

"Well you know what?" Ashley asked. "Zander and Brittany are coming- their grandparents have a house just down the street."

"Really?" Katie asked excitedly. "Brit's going to be here?"

"Tomorrow, I think," Ashley replied.

"That's great," Katie said. "I have some new makeup I wanted to show her."

Ashley laughed. "She'll be all over that."

"Thanks, Ash," Katie said. "You know you're not so bad."

"Neither are you when you're happy," Ashley poked her.

Katie giggled. "I'm happy when I get what I want."

"And don't we know it," Ashley said dryly.

Katie looked at her sister. "I thought you would stay with Alexa and Saffy. How did you get stuck with the babies?"

"Well... Andrew and Saffron are going to share a room," Ashley blushed. "And so are Gabriel and Alexa."

Katie's jaw dropped. "Does Grandpa know?"

"Apparently," Ashley shrugged.

"Whoa," Katie said. "I can't believe he's okay with that."

"They're engaged now," Ashley replied.

"But, still," Katie said. "You know how Grandpa is."

"I'm sure Dad's going to be the same way with us when we start dating," Ashley told her.

"You mean when you start dating that Zander," Katie teased.

Ashley turned bright red. "We're just friends."

"Uh-huh," Katie giggled. "I'm going to go downstairs for lunch."

"I have to unpack," Ashley said. "And I want to start drawing right away."

"Maybe you and I can go for a walk later?" Katie asked.

Ashley nodded eagerly. "That sounds like fun."

"Thanks, Ash," Katie said before leaving the room.

Ashley hoped her sister would be nice to Mia as she hurried to her room. There was a twin bed added to the room where Nathan and Isabelle would be sleeping.

She'd asked for her father's mobile the moment they'd arrived and she sat down on the bed and quickly dialled Zander's number. His mother answered after a couple of rings. "Hi, Mrs. Murray. It's Ashley Malfoy. Is Zander home?"

"Hello Ashley," Mrs. Murray said warmly. "Yes he is- I'll just get him for you."

"Thanks," Ashley said.

"Hey Ash!" Zander said a moment later. "Are you in Brighton?"

"We just arrived," Ashley said smiling to herself. "We're still waiting on everyone else to arrive."

"Cool," Zander said. "I can't wait till we get there."

"Me too," Ashley said. "My dad said he'd take us out on the boat. You're going to love it."

"We'll have loads of fun," Zander said. "I miss you, Ash."

"I missed you, too," Ashley said softly. She'd thought about him a lot these last few days and she wondered what that meant. If she was being honest with herself, she knew EXACTLY what that meant. "Um, Katie's really looking forward to seeing Brit."

"And Brit's looking forward to seeing Katie," Zander said.

"So, I guess that will leave you and me," Ashley said softly.

"That's not such a bad thing," Zander said nervously.

"No, we've spent time alone together before," Ashley said toying absently with a stray thread on the blanket.

"At least we're not in the Forest this time," Zander said.

Ashley smiled at the memory. "That wasn't so bad."

"Nah," Zander said.

"You have the address right?" Ashley asked him. "When you and Brit arrive just ring my Dad's mobile and let me know you're coming over."

"I will," Zander promised.

"I'm really glad that you're going to be here," Ashley said shyly.

"Me too," Zander said.

"Be nice to Brit on the way up here," Ashley teased.

"I'm always nice," Zander joked.

"To me," Ashley giggled. "To Brit...Not so much."

"I'll talk to you tomorrow, Ash." Zander said.

"I can't wait," Ashley said smiling as she ended the call.

"Ash if you're hungry you better come down here," Katie called.

"Coming!" Ashley called back hurrying out of the room and downstairs. She handed her father back his phone. "Thanks, Dad."

"Brit's still coming, right?" Katie asked.

Ashley nodded. "Yes. Zander's going to ring me as soon as they arrive."

"Awesome," Katie said happily.

"Thanks Uncle Brian," Ashley said when he set a sandwich and crisps in front of her.

"You're welcome Ash," Brian smiled at her.

Chloe looked up from her second sandwich. "Daddy makes bestest food."

"Don't let that get round, munchkin," Brian joked. "I'll be cooking for everyone the entire time I'm here."

"Nice of you to offer," Nick teased.

"Yay! Daddy cooks everything!" Chloe clapped her little hands.

Drew laughed. "If Daddy cooks everything, he won't have time to spend with you on the beach, munchkin!"

"Oh," Chloe frowned. "Well..."

A cry from upstairs made them all turn. "Well that was a short kip," Ethan said. "I'll go get her."

Ashley and Katie shared a grin. They were eager to see their cousin.

"Here she is," Ethan announced, carrying his daughter into the kitchen. "Didn't want to miss out on the party."

Drew grinned. "Look at her!"

"Want to hold her?" Ethan offered.

"Duh," Drew replied with a grin.

"Duh!" Chloe echoed.

"Good going there, Drew," Brian joked.

Drew only shook her head as she took her little niece. "Hello gorgeous," she said to Kiera.

Kiera gave her a gummy smile in return.

Just outside the house, Jon was parking the car. Darla had ridden along with them. Emma, Caroline and Adam were all fast asleep in the back.

Darla gently shook Emma. "Em? We're here..."

"What?" Emma asked, rubbing her eyes.

"Brighton," Darla grinned. "We're here!"

"Beach!" Adam shouted as he opened his eyes.

Caroline groaned. "Adam, you yelled that in my ear!"

"Sorry," Adam said.

"It's okay," Caroline said rubbing at her eyes.

Allison got out of the car and looked apologetically at her sister-in-law. "I'm sorry you had to be back there. I would have changed places with you."

"It's fine," Darla said. "I didn't mind."

"They were asleep for most of it," Jon pointed out.

"I know--" Allison began but Adam threw himself at her legs.

Allison bent down and picked him up. "Hey, buddy. What is it?"

"Go swim?" he asked.

"After we get settled, we can go down to the beach," Allison promised.

Adam grinned at her.

Allison laughed and kissed his cheek. "You are just like your daddy, you know that, right?"

"Yes," Adam said, making her laugh again.

Darla walked around the car to help Jon with the bags. Jon put his hand out to stop her. "And what do you think you're doing, Darla?"

"I'm not an invalid, Jon." Darla told him.

"I know that, but you don't need to be lifting heavy suitcases, now do you?" Jon asked. "I'm all for you helping, Dar, but pick something lighter."

Darla rolled her eyes and picked up Emma's bag.

"Thank you," Jon said grinning at her.

"Come on Daddy!" Adam yelled.

Jon laughed. "I'm coming, buddy."

"I smell food," Emma announced.

Caroline took her sister's hand. "Uncle Nick's car is here and so are Uncle Brian's and Uncle Ethan's."

"Yay!" Emma made a run for the house, pulling Caroline along with her.

"Em!" Caroline giggled.

"I want to see Kiera!" Emma said.

"Me too," Caroline said as Emma pushed open the door.

"We're here!" Emma called.

"In the kitchen, Em!" Maddie called back. "Uncle Brian's making grilled cheese sandwiches!"

"Yummy!" Emma ran in.

"Hi, everyone," Caroline said following her sister inside.

"Hi sweetheart," Maddie got up to hug her nieces.

"Aunt Maddie, you look so pretty," Caroline said.

"Thanks love," Maddie said.

Emma looked up at Drew who was still holding Kiera. "Can I see her?"

"Sure," Drew said. "Come stand by me."

"Here," Ethan said lifting Emma up so she could get a good look at Kiera. "How's that?"

"Good," Emma said. "She's soooooo pretty!"

"She is," Ethan agreed grinning at Emma

Katie took Caroline aside. "Guess what?"

"What?" Caroline asked.

"Aunt Saffy is going to share a room with Andrew," Katie whispered. "And Alexa is going to share a room with Gabe!"

Caroline's jaw dropped.

"I know because Ash has to sleep in the same room with Nathan and Isabelle."

"Wow," Caroline said.

"What are you two whispering about?" Ethan asked.

"Girl stuff," Katie said innocently.

"I can talk girl stuff," Ethan said in a high-pitched voice making the two girls laugh.

"That's weird, Uncle Ethan," Katie said giggling.

"Oh you think so?" Ethan asked. "Come on, Em. Let's get them!"

"Tickle!" Emma laughed.

"Run, Caroline!" Katie urged grabbing her friend's arm.

"We'll go up to our room," Caroline said.

Ethan took off after them with Emma in his arms.

Maddie shook her head as Allison, Jon, Darla and Adam walked into the kitchen.

"Looks like you lot are already settled in," Jon commented.

"We're here," Brian told him. "We just haven't had a chance to unpack yet. I've somehow managed to become the personal chef. Can I make you a grilled cheese, ladies and gentlemen?"

"Yes please," Adam said.

"So polite," Drew said. "Are you sure he's Jon's kid, Allie?"

"I can be polite too," Jon said.

"Can you?" Drew asked. "Maddie, do you remember Jonathan Arthur Weasley ever being polite?"

"Once in a great while," Maddie pretended to think.

"Hey!" Jon protested. "Mad Dog, you were always my favourite. What's up with this?"

Maddie laughed. "You know I love you anyway, Jon."

Drew laughed, but noticed her twin sister seemed preoccupied. "Kiera? How about you and I go and say hello to your Aunt Darla?"

Darla looked up when Drew sat down next to her.

"How was the trip up?" Drew asked.

"Not bad," Darla said.

"We're going to have a fantastic holiday," Drew told her.

Darla nodded. "I hope so."

"I know so," Drew said. She laughed when she saw Kiera staring at Darla's stomach. "Are you talking to the baby, love?"

Kiera let out a soft coo.

"She just said that Rafe wants his mummy to have a fun holiday," Drew said.

Darla smiled. "Thanks Drew."

"Have you heard from him?" Drew asked.

"He actually rang me this morning," Darla said.

"Oh," Drew said trying to hide her surprise.

"Told me to have a safe trip and he might stop by," Darla said hopefully.

How big of him, Drew thought, but did not say aloud.

"So we'll see," Darla said, pushing her long hair back.

"Would you like to hold Kiera?" Drew asked.

"Sure," Darla said, reaching for her niece.

"Practise for you," Drew smiled at her sister.

"Absolutely," Darla smiled.

Ethan came back into the kitchen looking angry. Maddie grabbed him by the arm. "What's wrong?"

"My father's lost his mind is what's wrong," Ethan grumbled.

"Why?" Maddie was concerned.

"He's letting Saffy share a room with that---that Andrew," Ethan replied tersely.

"Ethan they're engaged," Maddie pointed out. "And they're moving in together."

"So?" Ethan asked. "He's not sleeping with my baby sister in the same bed..."

"Ethan, honestly," Maddie shook her head.

"In case you've missed it," Julie told him. "She's grown up, Ethan."

"She's still my baby sister," Ethan grumbled.

"She knows," Julie said softly. "And you've always been there to protect her. But, maybe it's time to let go..."

"You wouldn't understand, Jules." Ethan said.

"I do," Julie said.

"You're not a guy," Ethan said. "You girls always stick together."

"That's not true," Julie pointed out. "I love Saffy, too, Ethan."

"It's got nothing to do with loving our sister," Ethan said.

"Then what does it have to do with?" Julie asked.

"I just don't think she should be sharing a room with Andrew," Ethan replied.

"They have shared a room before," Julie told him gently. "And a bed, too."

"She stays over at his and RJ's place." Maddie added softly.

"WHAT?" Ethan roared.

Chloe jumped, looking scared.

"Sorry, Chloe," Ethan apologised.

"Why mad?" she asked in a small voice.

"I'm just worried about Saffy," Ethan told her.

"Sassy's happy." Chloe told him.

"Yes, she is," Brian said picking Chloe up. "Come on, munchkin. Let's get you ready for the beach."

"Kay Daddy," Chloe said.

"I didn't mean to scare her," Ethan apologised to Drew. "I just---I didn't realise everyone knew that my sister was staying over at Andrew's, but me."

"She's a big girl now Ethan," Drew said. "And you've got to admit, this is the happiest she's been in a few years. Andrew's so good for her."

"You girls all stick together," Ethan grumbled. "I like Andrew. I just don't like him sleeping with my---ugh, I can't even think about it."

"Do you think my father liked thinking about you and me sleeping together?" Maddie asked.

"No," Ethan admitted. "Okay, okay. I promise I'm not going to say anything. Doesn't mean I have to like it."

Maddie kissed his cheek.

"They're here," Ashley said looking out the window.

"Just be nice," Maddie said.

"I'm always nice," Ethan said grabbing his plate from the counter.

"Good," Maddie said as Ashley pulled open the door.

"Hiya, Saffy!" Ashley exclaimed.

"Hey Ash!" Saffron hurried to hug her niece.

"Hey, Ash," Andrew said carrying their things inside.

"Hi Andrew," Ashley blushed. She still thought he was gorgeous.

"Looks like we've already got a full house," Saffron commented.

"Everyone's arrived in the last hour or so," Ashley told her. "I wonder why we're all coming in cars this year?"

"Fits with the Muggle mystique," Andrew told her.

"Oh," Ashley nodded. "Of course."

"Which room is ours?" Andrew asked. "I can take these upstairs..."

"End of the hall," Saffron told him. "On the right."

Andrew gave her a kiss on the cheek. "I'll be right back."

"Okay," Saffron smiled at him.

"Uncle Brian's making lunch for everyone," Ashley told Saffy. She didn't want to tell her aunt about what Ethan had said.

"Great," Saffron said. "I'm starved."

Saffron followed Ashley into the kitchen.

"The newly engaged," Maddie greeted her sister in law.

Saffron grinned and gave her a hug. "That's me."

Julie hugged her sister. "Where's mum and dad?"

"They were right behind us," Saffron replied.

"When's Gabey coming?" Emma asked.

Saffron grinned at the little redhead. "Soon, Em."

Emma's eyes widened at the ring on Saffron's left hand.

Saffron grinned. "You like, Emma?"

Emma nodded. "Just like a princess!"

Saffron felt like a princess when she looked at the ring, too. She didn't think she'd stopped smiling since he'd given it to her. She walked over to the counter where Ethan was talking with Brian. "Hello, Golden Boy."

"Hey Saf." Ethan said.

"Hi, Brian," Saffron said wondering what was wrong with Ethan.

"Good to see you, Saffy." Brian gave her a hug. "Congratulations are in order!"

"Thank you," Saffron grinned. She was about to ask where Chloe was when she felt someone tugging on her hand. She looked down to see Chloe dressed for the beach in her swimming costume. "Chloe!"

"Hi Sassy!" Chloe reached up for her.

Saffron picked her up and kissed her cheek. "How's my girl doing?"

"Good," Chloe said, putting her little arms around Saffron's neck.

"Are you going to help me build a sand castle?" Saffron asked her.

"Yes!" Chloe said excitedly. "And swim!"

"I can't wait," Saffron said twirling around with the little girl.

"Me too!" Emma finished her sandwich.

"We'll have to have a contest," Saffron told the two little redheads. "You two and me against my dad and your grandpa Ron."

The two girls nodded eagerly.

"Something smells good in here," Andrew said from the doorway. "Alright, Ethan?"

"Hi," Ethan muttered.

"It's great to be here," Andrew said not noticing Ethan's tone.

"It was," Ethan said pointedly.

"Ethan," Maddie shot him a warning look.

"I'm going to change," Ethan left the kitchen.

"What's wrong with him?" Saffron asked Julie.

Julie sighed. "Apparently he was unaware that you and Andrew are sharing a room."

"And this is a big deal, why?" Saffron asked.

"That's what we all said," Julie shrugged. "If Dad's okay with it, then why is Ethan making a muck of it?"

"Well, Dad's not crazy about it, but he's dealing," Saffron told her.

"You're engaged," Julie said. "You're getting married to Andrew. Why shouldn't you be with him?"

"Ethan still sees me as that little girl he has to protect," Saffron said thoughtfully.

"I think after last summer, we all do," Julie told her. "But at the same time, we know you're an adult."

"Thank you, Jules," Saffron said smiling at her big sister.

"You're a smart girl," Julie said.

"She's bloody brilliant, she is," Andrew said winking at Saffron.

"Stop you two," Saffron said.

"You'll give her a complex," Nick joked.

"Too late," RJ said as he came into the kitchen.

"Junior!" Jon exclaimed. "About time you joined us."

"We were busy," RJ said.

"Don't say anymore," Saffron said covering up Chloe's ears. "Innocent children are in the room."

Chloe giggled. "I'm a big girl!"

"Big girl, eh?" RJ asked reaching for his niece. "Come here, you."

"Uncle RJ," Chloe said happily.

"Hi, Saffy," Audrey said to the other girl.

"Hi Audrey," Saffron gave the other girl a hug. "I'm so glad you're here."

Audrey smiled. "Me, too. I'm looking forward to fun and sun and no working or books for the next few days."

"Tell me about it," Saffron agreed.

"She misses work though, don't you, Audrey?" Jon asked with a grin.

"Yeah right Jon," Audrey teased.

"Daddy, I'm ready for the beach!" Emma announced. "Want to get ready like Chloe!"

"I'll help!" Chloe told her.

"I'll supervise," Allison said standing up. "Come on, Em."

"Okay!" Emma said eagerly.

Chloe took Allison's other hand and the three of them headed upstairs to the bedroom Emma was going to share with Hannah, Chloe and Casey. "I want to wear my red one, Mummy," Emma told Allison.

"I have a red one too!" Chloe said.

Emma beamed at her. "Really?"

"But I love my blue one most." Chloe told her cousin.

Allison set Emma's suitcase on her bed. "You girls are going to look adorable."

"That one," Emma said, grabbing her swim costume.

"Your new one," Allison said smiling at the memory of taking Caroline and Emma shopping just a couple of days ago. They'd had so much fun trying on clothes.

"Chloe let's build a big, big princess castle." Emma told her cousin as Allison helped her change.

"Ooooh," Chloe agreed eagerly.

"And we'll all have our own rooms." Emma continued.

"Great idea," Emma said lifting up her hair so Allison could tie the strings around her neck. "Thanks, Mummy!"

"Let's tie your hair up," Allison said.

Emma nodded. "Please?"

Allison put Emma's red curls up in a ponytail. "There's my little beach babe."

Emma giggled and threw her arms around Allison's neck. "I love you, Mummy."

"I love you too, baby." Allison laughed.

"Aunt Allie, put mine up too!" Chloe asked reaching for the brush. "Peas?"

"I'd be happy to." Allison said.

Chloe sat down in front of Allison while Emma looked out the window. "Han better get here soon," Emma announced.

"They'll be here soon," Allison reassured her.

"They'd better," Emma said folding her arms.

"Em mad?" Chloe asked.

Emma shook her head. "Just want to go down to the beach already."

"She'll join us when she gets here," Allison said.

Allison finished putting Chloe's hair in a ponytail like Emma's.

Jon grinned at his wife from the doorway. "I just helped Adam into his suit. I was hoping you might be able to help me into mine..."

"Daddy, you're big." Emma said. "You should be able to dress by yourself!"

Allison laughed. "That's right, Em. He should be able to dress himself by now..."

"Thanks Em," Jon said dryly.

"Speaking of dressing," Allison said. "I should get changed, too. Em, you and Chloe go downstairs with Adam and wait for Daddy and me."

"Don’t' be long," Emma said.

"You be nice to your brother," Jon said setting Adam down. "Don't boss him around Em."

"Yeah," Adam added.

"I'm Adam's favourite," Emma said grabbing his arm.

"No," Adam said.

"Adam!" Emma protested.

"Catch me Em!" Adam took off running.

Allison called after them. "Emma, don't run near the stairs!"

"Kay Mummy!" Emma hollered.

Allison shook her head. "We've been here half an hour and I'm already exhausted."

"Not too exhausted I hope," he said.

"Come on, Jonathan," Allison said grabbing him by the arm. "I'm going to need your help with the ties..."

"My pleasure," Jon replied.

Allison leaned in and gave him a kiss. "I thought it would be."

Jon slid his arms around his wife.

"Em told us to hurry," Allison said resting her forehead on his.

"Yes she did..." Jon nodded.

Allison grinned. "Are you thinking what I'm thinking?"

"Quickie," Jon picked her up honeymoon style.

Allison laughed. "Jon!"

Andrew followed Saffron upstairs. "You ready to just relax for a few days?" he asked her.

"Like you wouldn't believe," Saffron replied taking his hand.

Andrew pulled her to him as they went to their bedroom.

"You're going to make a much better roommate than RJ," Andrew said grinning at her.

"I don't snore," Saffron said.

"You smell much better too," Andrew added.

Saffron laughed.

Andrew gave her a kiss. "You know that next year at this time, we'll be newlyweds."

"Oh will we?" she asked. "You know, we haven't even set a date yet."

"I actually wanted to talk to you about that," Andrew said.

"Oh?" Saffron asked.

"How would you feel about...Christmas?" Andrew asked her.

"Christmas?" Saffron asked. "So soon?"

"Too soon?" Andrew asked.

"I don't know," Saffron said. "I mean, there's just so much to plan."

"Well, what were you thinking?" Andrew asked.

"I'm really not sure yet," Saffron replied. "I thought we'd figure it out while we're here."

"We could always elope," Andrew suggested.

Saffron grinned at him. "That's tempting, but my family would kill me. So would your mum and dad."

"I was joking," Andrew said laughing.

Saffron put her arms around him and buried her face in his chest. "I love you so, so much."

"I love you too, Saffy," Andrew said kissing the top of her head.

"We should go sneak out on the boat later," Saffron said.

"I think that can be arranged," Andrew said.

Saffron gave him a kiss. "Let's get dressed.

"I say we challenge Audrey and RJ to a volleyball match," Andrew said opening up his suitcase.

"I like that idea," Saffron dug into her bag for her bikini.

"We'll slaughter them," Andrew said confidently.

"Right on," Saffron agreed.

Just downstairs, Harry and Hermione had finally arrived with Ron and Luna.

"Full house already," Harry shook his head

"It gets bigger every year," Ron said. "I just hope they haven't eaten all the food already. "

"Perish the thought," Harry said dryly.

Maddie and Ethan were just coming downstairs with Kiera. Luna grinned when she saw her granddaughter.

"Hi Mum!" Maddie said.

"Hi, sweetheart," Luna said. She watched as Maddie set Kiera in her carrier. "Looks like she's all ready for the beach."

"We all are," Maddie said. "The kids are dying to get down there."

"Ethan, is everything okay?" Hermione asked, noticing that her son hadn't said a word.

"Fine," Ethan replied.

"Your sisters are here, right?" Harry asked.

"They sure are," Ethan said tightly.

Harry pulled a confused face. "O-kay."

Maddie gave her mother in law a look.

"Ethan, you did finish up with that paperwork before you left, right?" Harry asked him.

"Yes," Ethan said, not looking at his father.

"No work talk," Hermione admonished. "Remember? We're here to have fun."

"Right," Harry smiled at his wife.

Ron flexed his muscles. "Luna, do you think you can handle seeing this handsome body on the beach?"

"You forgot pasty and white," Hermione told him.

"And a little paunch tummy," Luna said.

"I have washboard abs," Ron said patting his stomach.

"Broken washboard," Harry muttered.

Ron glared at him.

Luna put her arm around him. "I love your paunch tummy, Ronald."

"Luna," he protested.

"I love everything about you," Luna said dreamily.

Ron had to grin at that.

Luna leaned in and whispered something in his ear.

Ron's eyebrows shot up.

"Really?" Ron asked huskily. "Is that even possible?"

"Sure is," Luna grinned.

"Go easy on him," Harry said to Luna. "His stamina's not what it used to be."

"Like yours is?" Ron scoffed.

"Just as great as it was 20 years ago," Harry boasted.

"I can vouch for that," Hermione said with a grin.

"On that note," Maddie said picking up the carrier. "I think we're going to head out to the beach."

"We'll see you lot later then," Harry looked at Ethan.

"Maybe you should go and check on Saffy," Ethan said to his father.

"Why?" Harry asked.

"You should make sure she and ANDREW are settling in okay," Ethan said sarcastically.

Maddie sighed. "Ethan's having issues about Andrew and Saffron sharing a room."

"Pardon me for looking out for my sister," Ethan said defensively. "It's not like anyone else is..."

"That's awfully unfair to say," Maddie pointed out.

"Stay out of this, Maddie," Ethan retorted.

"I BEG your pardon?" Maddie asked angrily.

"This isn't any of your business," Ethan said. "This is between Dad and me."

Maddie glared at him. "We all care about Saffy Ethan. How dare you act as if we don't?"

"Saffron is an adult now," Hermione said calmly. "We trust her to be responsible. Need I remind you that you didn't have a problem having Bree stay in your room when she would come over for holidays?"

"That's different," Ethan argued.

"How?" Maddie and Hermione asked him.

"It just is," Ethan muttered.

"Look," Harry said. "I don't want to hear it, Ethan. Saffron is happy, and Andrew does that for her."

"So you don't care that Saffy's shagging Andrew two doors down from you?" Ethan asked him.

"She promised to be responsible," Harry said evenly. "And I think you need to leave well enough alone."

Ethan couldn't believe his father was being so calm about this. "Fine," Ethan said tersely.

"Just let it go," Harry advised him.

"Let's go, Maddie," Ethan said looking at his wife.

Maddie glared at him then stalked out the front door.

Saffron and Andrew came downstairs just then. Saffron could sense the tension in the air. "What's going on?"

"Nothing," Hermione said, giving her son a look. "Let's see that swim costume on you."

"I should do a tanning charm before I subject the Brighton masses to my pasty white skin," Saffron joked.

"You look gorgeous," Andrew said loyally.

Saffron grinned. "And I didn't even pay him to say that."

Harry smiled at the look on his youngest daughter's face. This alone was the reason he'd allowed for the sharing of rooms.

"Uncle Ron," Saffron said. "Where's that son of yours? Andrew and I are going to make him eat sand. "

Ron smiled. "He's around here- probably in the kitchen."

"You're welcome to come and watch the slaughter," Saffron said taking Andrew's arm. "Ethan, how about you and Maddie join us. You, me and Andrew against Maddie, Audrey and RJ."

"I'm okay," Ethan shook his head. "I'd better go find Mads."

"Come on, Ethan," Saffron said. "It'll be fun..."

"I'll see you lot later," Ethan replied.

Saffron frowned as she watched him leave the house. This was going to be a long holiday if he insisted on acting like this.

"Let's go get the net set up," Andrew told his fiancée.

Saffron nodded. "Mum, Dad? You gonna come watch?"

"We'll be down in just a bit," Hermione promised.

Saffron kissed her mother on the cheek. "Love you, Mum."

"I love you too baby," Hermione said.

"Love you, Dad," Saffron said giving him a hug.

"Go have fun, sweetheart," Harry kissed the top of her head.

"I always have fun when I beat RJ," Saffron said laughing as she and Andrew walked out.

"What's that?" RJ came into the hall as the door closed.

"Andrew and Saffy are looking for you and Audrey," Luna told him. "They want to play volleyball."

"Brilliant," RJ said. "We'll just go change."

Harry looked at Ron. "When they finish, how about you and I play a match?"

"You're dying to eat sand, are you?" Ron asked.

"Please," Harry scoffed. "You'll be coughing it up by the time I'm through with you."

"We'll see," Ron replied.

"Care to make a friendly wager?" Harry asked. "Five-hundred galleons?"

"Harry!" Hermione chastised. "Gambling is wrong."

"It's an easy bet," Harry said.

"What about playing for the pure fun of it?" Luna suggested. "In fact, you shouldn't even keep score..."

"I'll bet you an entire chocolate cake from that bakery," Ron ignored Luna.

"500 galleons, chocolate cake and the loser has clean up duty the entire time we're here," Harry countered.

"Oh honestly," Hermione said. "Grow up, will you two?"

"You're on, Potter," Ron said extending his hand.

"Ronald, why don't you and Harry just play for fun?" Luna tried again.

"Where's the fun in that?" Ron asked.

"There's loads of fun in just playing for the sheer joy of it," Luna said as if the answer should have been obvious. "That's something I've never really understood actually. Think of how much happier the world would be if people weren't always out to win, win, win. Everyone could play and everyone would---what?"

"That is what' it's like," Ron said.

Luna rolled her eyes. "It's barbaric."

"Sounds like barbecue to me," Ron replied.

"It's all in good, clean fun," Harry said to Luna.

"Right," Hermione rolled her eyes.

"I don't want to watch this," Luna said.

"We'll go find a nice place to get some sun," Hermione said.

"Don't come crawling to me when you have sore muscles," Luna told Ron before she followed Hermione.

"They just don't get it," Ron grinned at Harry.

"They never have," Harry said shaking his head.

"You think Ethan will be okay?" Ron asked him. "I'm surprised he's acting like this."

Harry nodded. "He's always been protective of Saffy. I guess I can understand where he's coming from. I wasn't crazy about it when Saffy asked."

"Yeah but if you're okay with it--" Ron began.

"I'm trying," Harry said with a shrug.

"It was the same way for me with Maddie," Ron told him.

"It's hard to let go," Harry said. "She's my baby."

"Trust me, I know." Ron said. "I’m going to change and see you out there, mate."

"You're on," Harry said. "

"Get ready for some cleaning, Potter." Ron said.

"Yeah, yeah," Harry said shaking his head.

Maddie didn't speak to her husband as she settled Kiera in under an umbrella. She spread out a few toys for her daughter to play with.

"Hmmmm," Kiera said looking at her mother.

"I know, love." Maddie said.

Kiera picked up one of her toys and held it up. She giggled at the sound it made.

Maddie grinned. "That's my smart girl."

"Room for one more under there?" Ethan asked.

Maddie turned her back to him.

"I was out of line," Ethan admitted.

"I'll say you were," Maddie said coolly.

Ethan sat down. "You were right and I was wrong."

"You were SO wrong," Maddie said. "Not only about how you were behaving towards your father about Andrew and Saffron, but how you spoke to me."

Ethan knew he deserved that. "I'm sorry about that, Maddie."

"You should be," she said.

"I am," Ethan said putting his hand on her shoulder. "I hate it when we fight."

"Me too," Maddie admitted.

"And you know, we're not ever going to have this problem because Kiera isn't going to date ever," Ethan said.

Kiera threw her toy ball at him.

"Kiera Faith," Ethan said. "What was that?"

Maddie had to laugh. "That's my girl."

Ethan leaned over and tickled Kiera's side.

Kiera giggled and sent Ethan a grin.

"Taking your mum's side, eh?" Ethan asked grinning back at her.

"We girls stick together," Maddie dug into her bag for suntan lotion.

"So baby girl, what do you think of the beach so far?" Ethan asked.

"Gaaaaa!" Kiera slapped her hands together.

"That's baby for 'it's cool'," Ethan said.

"Sure is," Maddie replied. "I have some sun block for her in my bag as well."

"I'll put it on her," Ethan said.

"Thanks," Maddie replied.

"It's a beautiful day," Ethan said reaching into Maddie's bag for the sun block.

"Yes it is," she said tying her hair into a long plait.

Ethan looked back toward the house where he could see Saffron, Andrew, Audrey and RJ playing volleyball.

"I guess a part of me always sees her as this little six year girl with plaits who followed me around," Ethan said thoughtfully.

"I think we all wish she was still like that," Maddie told him. "But she's a grown up girl who's getting married."

Ethan nodded. "Where did the time go?"

"Passed by way too fast." Maddie told him.

Ethan shared a smile with his wife. "So I'm forgiven?"

"Maybe," Maddie replied.

"I can make it up to you," Ethan said.

"Tell me more," Maddie turned to look at him.

"For a start," Ethan said reaching for the suntan lotion. "I can put this on you..."

"Rub it in really, really well..." she said.

"These are magic hands," Ethan said putting some of the lotion on her shoulder.

"Yes they are," she said softly.

"And later," Ethan said as he rubbed the lotion in. "I could get you an ice cream...."

"Hmmm..." Maddie said. "Your chances are looking better and better..."

Ethan grinned. "And finally, I was thinking we could see if your mum would look after Kiera for a few hours..."

"What did you have in mind?" Maddie asked.

"I was thinking I'd take you out to the Sand Dune for a seafood dinner," Ethan said.

"That sounds quite lovely," Maddie said.

Ethan looked over at Kiera who was still playing with her toys. "Buuuuh..."

"Still looking for Blue," Maddie shook her head.

Ethan laughed. "She likes watching him juggle her toys."

"He's so good with her," Maddie nodded.

Ethan nodded. "He is...and you know who else is good with her? Daddy..."

He picked up Kiera. "Come on, baby girl. Let's go for a walk..."

"I'm just going to lie here for a bit," Maddie lay back on her towel. "You two have fun."

"Get some rest," Ethan winked at her.

"I will," Maddie grinned at him.

Ethan carried Kiera away and thought about how he'd acted earlier. He supposed he'd acted like a big hypocrite. He had stayed in the same room with his girlfriends before when he was Saffron's age.

"What do you think, baby girl?" he asked his daughter. "Is your dad a big git?"

Kiera looked at him for a moment before she giggled.

"I think that's a big yes." Ethan nuzzled her cheek.

He carried her up the beach where the younger crowd was playing volleyball. He held up his daughter's hand and waved in Saffron's direction.

"Time out!" Saffron called.

She jogged over to her brother and niece. "Hey," she said quietly.

"Hey brat," Ethan said.

"You look a lot better when you're not standing around looking all surly," Saffron told him.

"Sorry about that," Ethan said sheepishly. "I just... it's hard for me to see you grow up, especially after last year.”

Saffron smiled. "I know."

"He treats you well, brat." Ethan replied.

"Yes he does," Saffron said turning to look at her fiancé who was saying something to RJ and Audrey.

"Guess I just have to get used to this is all," Ethan said.

"Yeah," Saffron said teasingly. "And they call ME the stubborn one."

"Still more stubborn than me," Ethan joked.

"We are Hermione Granger Potter's children," Saffron reminded him. "It's in our blood."

"Buh!" Kiera suddenly shouted.

Saffron laughed. "Did you bring her with you so I wouldn't hex you?"

"Worked, didn't it?" he asked.

Saffron grinned. "You're hard to stay mad at, but she was the clincher."

Kiera reached for her aunt.

Saffron took her and hugged her. "Ethan, why don't you take my place? You and Andrew could take on RJ and Audrey. I'll watch Kiera."

"Are you sure?" Ethan asked.

"Absolutely," Saffron replied.

"I don't want to be too long," Ethan said. "But a game sounds good right now."

"Go," Saffron grinned. "Make us proud."

"Buh," Kiera said.

Ethan gave his daughter a kiss. "Watch Daddy kick some---"

"Ethan," Saffron admonished.

"Bum," Ethan finished.

"Nice save," Saffron said laughing.

“I try,” Ethan replied with a grin before jogging over to join Andrew.

Saffron sat down on one of the lawn chairs with Kiera and bounced the baby on her lap. Kiera giggled happily and Saffron laughed too. "You're easy to please, Kiera Potter."

"Buh," Kiera looked up at her aunt.

"You are all about that pixie, aren't you?" Saffron asked her.

The little girl let out a happy squeal.

Saffron laughed. "Let's watch your Daddy, okay?"

"Mmmm..." Kiera replied.

RJ threw the ball over the net at Andrew. "It's your serve, Andrew."

"Right," Andrew said, tossing it up in the air then slamming it with the heel of his hand.

"I got it," RJ said to Audrey before hitting it back over the net.

"Mine!" Ethan called, going underneath it.

Saffron and Kiera watched as Ethan made a forearm pass to Andrew and Andrew spiked the ball. RJ made a valiant effort, but he fell and missed the ball completely.

"Yeah!" Andrew pumped his fist in the air.

"Way to go!" Saffron yelled from the sidelines.

"Good job mate," Ethan said, slapping Andrew a five.

"Couldn't have done it without you," Andrew said with a grin. "Nice set up."

"You too," Ethan clapped him on the shoulder.

"Yeah, yeah," RJ said dusting himself off.

Audrey laughed. "Come on RJ that was a brilliant play."

"We'll get them next match," RJ said.

"Yes, well you need to find another bloke," Audrey said. She waved to Jon. "Come and take over for me, Jon!"

"Where are you going?" RJ whined.

"To sit with Saffy," Audrey said giving him a kiss. "You'll have a better chance against Ethan and Andrew without me."

"I guess you're right," RJ pulled her close for a moment.

"Make me proud," Audrey said smiling up at him.

"Don't I always?" he asked, giving her a kiss.

Andrew handed Ethan a bottle of water. "So, we're cool?"

"Yeah," Ethan answered. "Just... she's my baby sister. Take care of her."

"I will," Andrew promised.

Ethan nodded. "What I'd hoped to hear."

"She seems to be okay with coming back here," Andrew said. "I mean, after last summer...."

"Yeah," Ethan said, not wanting to think about that.

"She was most looking forward to spending time with Kiera," Andrew said looking over at his girlfriend who was playing with Kiera.

"Maddie and I were also looking forward to some family time together," Ethan said. "It's been hard lately to find time."

Andrew nodded. "Yeah, for Saffy and me, too."

Ethan glanced over at his sister, Audrey and Kiera, who were laughing together as Saffron bounced Kiera into the air.

She was the happiest he'd seen her since they'd returned home all those months ago.

"It's good to see her smile," Andrew followed his gaze.

"She's been through a lot," Ethan said quietly.

Andrew nodded. "And I'm going to do my best to keep her happy and not think of what happened."

Ethan grinned. "Then I guess I have no reason to worry then."

"Nope," Andrew grinned back.

"How about we kick some Weasley arse, then?" Ethan asked.

"Sounds good to me," The two of them moved back into position.

Saffron watched the two of them and felt a smile playing on her lips. "Kiera, everything's going to be grand. Absolutely grand."

*** *** ***

260. Chapter 260 Brighton Continues

Authors’ note: Another long chapter this time around and you even get a flashback from when Maddie, Ethan, Justin, Saffy, Frankie, and RJ were younger. We hope you enjoy!

It had been a few days since they arrived and Maddie was pleased to see she'd acquired some colour to her skin. "This is heaven," she sighed, lying back and letting the warm sun bake her.

"Yeah it is," Ethan said sleepily.

"Buh," Kiera mumbled from her bouncy seat. "Buh...Buh...Buh..."

"No Blue, baby." Maddie said reaching for the photo of the pixie they kept nearby.

"Buh!" Kiera said giving Maddie a gummy smile when she placed the photograph of Blue in front of her.

Maddie laughed. "You miss your buddy, don't you love?"

Ethan sat up. "You know I really don't think we should count 'Buh' as her first word. Even if that's all she can say..."

Maddie laughed again. "Ethan!"

"Well," Ethan said. "Her first word should be 'dada'."

"Or Mama," Maddie pointed out.

"I read on one of those books of yours that 'dada' was easiest to say," Ethan countered looking at his daughter who was still gazing happily at the photo of Blue.

"You read a book?" Maddie pretended to be incredulous.

Ethan nudged her. "Yes, I read."

"Something other than Quidditch magazines," Maddie said. "I'm impressed."

"Very funny," Ethan said. "I am Hermione Potter's son, mind you."

"Uh huh," Maddie gave him a kiss.

"Muh," Kiera mumbled. "Muh!"

Maddie shrieked.

"I should kiss you more often if that's the reaction I get," Ethan said, having not heard Kiera's mumbles.

"No!" Maddie said. "She just said my name!"

"She did not," Ethan said looking at Kiera.

"Sweetheart," Maddie lifted her daughter out of the seat. "Tell Daddy what you said."

"Muh-ma," Kiera cooed.

Ethan's jaw dropped. "What?"

Maddie kissed the top of her daughter's head. "That's my smart girl."

"You've been coaching her," Ethan accused.

"I have not!" Maddie exclaimed.

"Yeah right," he said.

"You're the one who's been in her face all the time practically shouting 'dada' at her," Maddie pointed out.

"Yeah but--" he said.

"Da," Kiera interjected holding her hand out to him.

"There," Maddie said to him.

Ethan took Kiera from Maddie and hugged her tightly. "Thank you, baby!"

Maddie shook her head. "So bloody competitive."

"Say it again," Ethan said to Kiera.

"Buh," Kiera said.

"Da," he said. "Da... da."

"Buh, Buh, Buh," Kiera said giggling.

Ethan shook his head. "The pixie wins again."

"He almost always does," Maddie laughed. "Come on, Ethan James. Let's take her for a walk."

"Sure," he agreed.

Maddie grabbed the baby's hat and placed it on her head. "She loves it here."

"Of course she does," Ethan replied.

"Someday, she's going to be walking the beach with her cousins," Maddie said thoughtfully.

"Too soon," Ethan nodded.

Maddie laughed. "And a few years from now, there will be some boys who come to the house asking if she can come out..."

"Absolutely not," Ethan declared.

Maddie lowered her voice a few octaves. "Hey, dude, can your daughter go for a walk?"

"Shut it," Ethan said.

"And they'll walk down the beach, arm in arm," Maddie said.

"Madeline," Ethan frowned. "Our daughter will never, ever date."

"Oh, Ethan, you're so delusional," Maddie said shaking her head.

"You'll never leave your daddy, will you?" Ethan asked his daughter.

Kiera giggled.

"See," Ethan said.

"Nice try," Maddie said. She looked at him. "On a more serious note, I wanted to ask you about something..."

"What's that?" he asked.

"What would you think about trying for a brother or sister for Kiera?" Maddie asked.

"I thought we already were," Ethan looked at her.

"I know," Maddie said.

"I'd love to have another child, if that's what you're asking," Ethan replied.

Maddie grinned. "Really?"

"Absolutely," Ethan gave her a kiss.

"I love you," Maddie said softly.

"Love you too," Ethan grinned.

"You want to buy your wife and daughter an ice cream?" Maddie asked grinning back at him.

"Always," Ethan replied, steering them towards the stand set up a few yards down the beach.

"I want a chocolate chip cone," Maddie said. "And let's get Kiera a small cup of chocolate."

"Sure," Ethan agreed, handing her to Maddie so he could get his wallet.

Maddie lifted Kiera up above her head and then brought her back down, causing the baby to laugh.

"You want some ice cream, love?" Maddie asked.

Kiera giggled.

"That's a yes," Maddie kissed her cheek.

"Hey, guys," Maddie heard a familiar voice behind her. She turned to see Josh, Lizzy and the triplets.

"Hey!" she said happily. "Oh my goodness! Look at you three!"

"Mad!" Noah exclaimed. "Ice Cream!"

"That's right, Noah!" Maddie said.

Josh clapped his brother in law on the back. "So you got ours, too then?"

"I suppose," Ethan said. "You get next time."

"He's only kidding," Lizzy said. "We wouldn't ask you to pay for all this."

"I've got this round," Ethan insisted. "What do you little buggers want?"

"Choc-late," Aidan said. "Peas?"

"Stawberry!" Casey shouted.

"Banilla," Noah replied.

"One scoop on a cone, of each of those flavours," Ethan told the man.

"And what do you lot say to your Uncle Ethan?" Lizzy prompted.

"THANK YOU!" the triplets crowded around him.

Ethan laughed. "You're welcome."

The group got their ice cream then headed back to Ethan and Maddie's spot on the beach.

"Josh, guess who said 'mama'?" Maddie told her brother.

"She's talking?" Josh asked in surprise.

"Well, she's a little over nine months now," Maddie said. "And she's mostly mumbling."

"She also said Da," Ethan bit into his cone.

Maddie laughed. "And then she followed it up with her favourite word, Buh for Blue."

"She's my little talker," Ethan made a face at his daughter.

"It's something else, isn't it?" Lizzy asked. "Watching all those little milestones..."

"They come way too quickly," Maddie said, feeding her daughter a bit of ice cream.

"They really do," Lizzy said looking wistfully at her children.

"Here Mummy," Casey held out her cone.

"Oh, sweetheart, that's very nice of you," Lizzy said taking a bite.

"Yummy," Casey declared.

"I can remember all too well when these three were Kiera's age," Josh said.

"Things were much crazier back then," Lizzy replied.

"Things are pretty crazy right now," Ethan said.

Noah bit into his cone. "Crazy," he nodded.

Everyone laughed at that.

Maddie looked at Casey. "And how are things as a new princess, sweetheart?"

"I love it!" Casey said happily.

Emma and Hannah had organised a quick princess meeting last night and the little girls had paraded around the beach house in their costumes.

"Casey slept in her dress last night," Lizzy said.

"Uh oh," Maddie grinned at her niece. "But you need royal bedclothes, right?"

"Do I?" Casey asked looking frantically at her aunt.

"Absolutely," Maddie said. "We'll see what we can do about that."

"Thanks, Aunt Mad," Casey said gratefully.

"Yes, thanks Aunt Mad," Lizzy joked.

"My pleasure," Maddie said. "I'm surprised my brilliant brother Joshie didn't think of it."

"Shut it," Josh replied.

"Look," Ethan whispered. The adults watched as Noah fed Kiera a bite of ice cream.

"That is soooooo sweet," Maddie sighed.

"That's my boy," Josh said proudly. "The little gentleman."

"Share," Noah nodded.

Lizzy patted her son's arm. "You love Kiera, don't you?"

Noah nodded.

"We all do," Lizzy said. "She's such a sweet little girl. She reminds me of you, Maddie."

Maddie smiled. "Like mother like daughter."

At the beach house, Saffron had just finished making breakfast for Andrew. He'd been so sweet and loving to her these last few weeks; she wanted to do something to show him how she appreciated it.

She'd made his favourite breakfast, French toast with a bit of lemon on the top, orange juice and bacon. She loaded everything onto a tray and carried it upstairs.

He was still sleeping and she allowed herself a few moments just to look at him.

She still couldn't believe they were engaged. Andrew was the best thing to happen to her and Saffron knew how lucky she was to have him.

She set the tray down on the bed and gently shook Andrew. "Wakey-wakey..."

Andrew mumbled something and pressed his face into the pillow.

Saffron laughed. "Come on, sleepyhead..."

"Saf?" he asked.

"Were you expecting some other girl to wake you with breakfast in bed?" Saffron asked teasingly.

"No," he smiled drowsily at her. "Good morning."

"Good morning," Saffron said. "I made your favourite."

"That smells good," Andrew rubbed at his eyes.

"I had to threaten my Uncle Ron with bodily harm," Saffron said. "He tried to steal it."

Andrew laughed. "I'm not surprised to hear that."

Saffron smiled at him as he sat up in bed. She set the tray before him. "Tuck in..."

"You did this all for me?" he smiled at her.

Saffron nodded. "Of course."

"Thanks," he said, motioning for her to sit next to him.

Saffron moved over and sat beside him. "And I was thinking we could go down to the beach later and just relax."

"How about a run out on the boat later?" he asked.

"That could be fun," Saffron replied.

"Just us," he said, leaning in and giving her a chaste kiss.

"Perfect," Saffron said happily. She watched as Andrew took a bite of his breakfast.

"It's excellent, Saf." he grinned at her.

"Of course it is," Saffron said grinning back at him. "Because I am fabulous."

"You sure are," Andrew shook his head.

"Drew was talking to me while I made your breakfast," Saffron said. "She has some really great ideas about the wedding."

"Oh yeah?" he asked.

Saffron nodded. "She gave me some magazines."

"Should I be scared?" he joked.

Saffron poked him in the side. "No, I'm not going to go full-on bridezilla on you."

Andrew laughed. "I hope not."

"You know me," Saffron said resting her head on his shoulder. "That's not me."

"Definitely not," Andrew said, digging into his French toast. "Aren't you eating?"

"If you give me a bite," Saffron said with a grin.

Andrew held his fork out to her.

Saffron took a bite. "Not bad if I do say so myself."

"Not bad at all," he replied.

"I still can't believe we're getting married," Saffron admitted.

"Me either," he admitted.

"I mean, I always knew we would someday," Saffron said looking at him.

"Of course," Andrew replied. "Right about now is when I was actually going to propose."

Saffron laughed. "Trust you to jump the gun."

"You have that effect on me, Miss Potter." he said.

Saffron gave him another kiss.

"I love you," he said softly.

"I love you too," Saffron said. "Which is why I made this."

"You're the best," he said.

Saffron grinned. "I'm pretty great, aren't I?"

"Absolutely," he said, finishing the French toast and gobbling down the bacon.

"I think you liked it," Saffron joked.

"Loved it," he corrected.

Saffron grabbed the tray and set it down on the floor. Puddles looked up from his perch on the foot of the bed. "Easy, boy. There's nothing left."

"Sorry," Andrew laughed as Puddles whined pitifully.

"Come here," Saffron said to her dog.

Puddles jumped up into her lap.

"I'll make it up to you," Saffron promised.

Puddles licked at her face.

Saffron giggled. "I love this little guy so much."

Andrew grinned. "I'm going to take a quick shower.”

Saffron nodded. "Okay. I'm going to clean this up and check on my mum. I'll meet you downstairs."

"Okay," Andrew gave her another kiss. "Thanks for breakfast."

"Anytime," Saffron said smiling at him. "Come on, Puddles. Let's go see how your grandma is doing."

Puddles barked and followed her.

Saffron knew she'd find her mother in the small office she used when she was at the beach house. "Minister Potter, there's an important announcement here for you..."

"What?" Hermione turned around. "Saffy!"

Saffron grinned. "And that announcement is that you are on vacation and should not be sneaking in work..."

"I just had to sign a few contracts, baby." Hermione told her.

"Uh-huh," Saffron said giving her mother a hug.

"I'm surprised you aren't on the beach," Hermione said.

"I made breakfast for Andrew and he's in the shower now," Saffron said. "Where's Daddy?"

"He's out with your uncle Ron," Hermione replied.

"Oh," Saffron said.

"They went for a run," Hermione told her.

"Still gambling?" she asked.

Hermione rolled her eyes. "Who knows?"

"They aren't satisfied unless they're competing," Saffron replied.

"Like two children," Hermione said shaking her head. "I keep telling Harry he needs to set a better example for his grandchildren, but it goes in one ear and out the other."

"That's Daddy for you," Saffron answered.

"He usually gets that way when he's around your Uncle Ron," Hermione said setting her paperwork aside.

"I know," Saffron replied.

"Let's go and sit on the patio," Hermione said.

"Sure," Saffron agreed. "Andrew's taking a shower so I have a little bit."

"Have you and Andrew thought about a date for the wedding yet?" Hermione asked once they were outside.

"He mentioned Christmas but I think I was hoping for more of a summer wedding," Saffron replied thoughtfully.

"That would be lovely," Hermione said.

"We're going to go out for a ride on the boat later, so I'm sure we'll sort things out then." Saffron continued.

"I'm sure you will," Hermione said smiling at her daughter.

"I can't believe I'm getting married," Saffron leaned against her mother.

"I felt the same way when your father and I were engaged," Hermione recalled.

"You did?" she asked.

Hermione nodded. "It didn't seem real to me until just before I walked down the aisle."

"Were you scared?" Saffron asked softly.

Hermione nodded. "But I knew it was the right decision."

"That's how I feel about Andrew," Saffron said.

"He loves you very much," Hermione said thoughtfully.

"I love him too," Saffron said. "He's the best person for me."

Hermione opened her mouth to say something but she was distracted by a thud on the steps. She and Saffron stood up just in time to see Ron wheezing and crumpled on the steps.

"Ron!" Hermione exclaimed. "What on earth?"

"W-water," Ron gasped.

"Go get him a glass of water, Saffron." Hermione said as she helped him up the steps.

Saffron nodded and hurried back into the house.

"What did you do?" Hermione asked.

Harry arrived at that moment and he smiled at his wife. Ron glared at him. "How are you okay after that---that torture you just took me on?" Ron asked incredulously.

"It was a simple run," Harry answered.

"Simple?" Ron asked. "More like a death march around Brighton."

"Overdramatic, much?" Harry asked.

Saffron handed Ron the glass of water which he drained in a matter of seconds.

"More," he said, collapsing in a chair. "Please...”

Saffron took the glass. "I'll be right back."

"You are such a wuss," Harry informed him.

Ron clutched his side and glared at his friend. "I haven't run in years, Harry."

"Obviously," Harry smirked.

"I think it's great that you're taking an interest in physical fitness," Hermione said. "But maybe you overdid it on your first day..."

Ron glared at her. "I just pulled something."

Saffron handed him another glass of water. "Pulled what, Uncle Ron?"

"My... stomach." Ron said.

Saffron stifled a laugh. "Well, if you want, I had some leftovers from my breakfast. You're welcome to them."

Ron wanted more than anything to say yes, but he knew that would defeat the purpose. "I'm not hungry."

Harry, Hermione and Saffron stared at him, open-mouthed.

"What?" Ron asked.

"You aren't hungry?" Hermione asked.

Ron sadly shook his head. "No."

"Well I am," Harry replied, heading into the house.

"I'll make you a plate," Saffron offered. "French toast."

"That sounds great," Harry replied. "Thanks baby."

Ron whimpered.

"Oh Uncle Ron, I'll make you a plate too," Saffron said.

"I'm just going to have a glass of juice," Ron said, taking a towel and wiping the sweat from his face.

"No you aren't," Saffron said. "Toast and some fruit, coming right up."

"No butter," Ron told her.

"No butter," Saffron agreed.

Andrew was in the kitchen when they walked inside. "There you are."

"I was just outside with everyone," Saffron said. "I have to get my dad and Uncle Ron some breakfast."

Andrew looked over at Ron, who was soaking wet from sweat. "Did you go for a swim?"

"No," Ron said sourly.

"Uncle Ron and my dad went for an early morning run," Saffron told him.

"Looks like you threw him in the ocean," Andrew commented to Harry.

Harry chuckled. "It does, doesn't it?"

"Thanks a lot," Ron snapped.

"Dad runs every morning," Saffron said to Ron. "I bet he was showing off a bit..."

"Of course he was, Saffy." Ron told her.

"I do not show off," Harry said defensively.

"Yes you do," Ron told him. "Running around out there, winking at all those people..."

"You were winking at people?" Hermione asked, raising an eyebrow at her husband.

"No," Harry said defensively.

"Yes, you were," Ron said. "There were those two women---"

"Harry James Potter!" Hermione admonished.

"Daddy!" Saffron swatted at him.

"I didn't wink at anyone!" Harry said.

"Did so," Ron countered.

"How would you know?" Harry asked sarcastically. "You were too busy falling over every sand dune and wheezing."

"I did not fall over EVERY sand dune," Ron retorted.

"Sorry, every OTHER sand dune." Harry answered.

"You know I asked you to help me, I didn't think you would torture me!" Ron exclaimed.

"I've never had a problem running," Harry told him.

"Because you do it everyday, Daddy," Saffron pointed out. "Uncle Ron doesn't."

"Exactly," Ron glared at his so called best friend.

"I might have overdone it," Harry admitted.

"Oh you think?" Ron asked as Saffron put a plate down in front of them.

"I'd like to get back to those women you were winking at," Hermione said to her husband.

"I wasn't winking at anyone," Harry said.

"Those two girls who stopped to help me said you did," Ron said. "They couldn't have been much older than Saffy."

Saffron stared at her father.

"I winked at them because they were laughing at Ron," Harry said.

"That makes sense," Saffron shrugged.

"They can't hold a candle to my wife," Harry said looking at Hermione.

Hermione smiled. "Good save."

"I'm impressed," Andrew grinned.

"Learn from the best," Harry told him.

"He's still showing off," Ron grumbled, finishing his toast and fruit in seconds.

"Jeez Uncle Ron," Saffron said. "Did you taste that?"

"What?" Ron asked innocently.

"He'll never change," Harry shook his head.

"I'm going to change," Ron said. "I want to get back to the same body I had when I was Andrew's age."

"Paunch stomach," Harry said. "Big head."

"You're the one with the big head," Ron retorted.

"I have a perfect sized head," Harry informed him.

"Do you think RJ and me are going to be like that when we're that old?" Andrew whispered to Saffron.

"He'll be the one with the paunch stomach and big head," she grinned at him.

Andrew put his arm around her and laughed. "And I promise I'm not going to wink at any women."

"Just me," she rested her head on his shoulder.

"Only you," Andrew said softly.

Saffron closed her eyes a moment.

"You okay, love?" Andrew asked.

"Yeah," she said softly. "I'm fine."

Andrew kissed the side of her head.

"I was thinking," she said. "How about we wait until tonight to go out on the boat? It's supposed to be really nice and clear."

Andrew pretended to think about this. "Let's see...you and me...alone...moonlight..."

"I think it sounds perfect," she smiled at him.

"Me too," Andrew grinned.

The door opened and Chloe, Hannah, Emma and Casey tumbled inside.

"What happened to you, Gampa?" Emma asked looking at Ron.

"Em, your grandpa is just a little out of shape," Harry told the five year old.

"Mr. Ron looks a LOT outta shape," Hannah commented.

"Han, be nice," Emma told her.

"I'm sorry," Hannah blushed.

"I'll be okay," Ron said, patting his stomach.

"We've got our work cut out for us," Harry said.

"You're a slave driver," Ron muttered.

"I still love you, Gampa," Emma said climbing up on his lap. Chloe nodded in agreement. "Me too!"

Emma's nose scrunched up in disgust. "Grandpa! You're all wet and you stink!"

Harry doubled over in laughter.

"I should probably go and take a shower," Ron said setting Emma back down.

"You don't smell that great either, Dad." Saffron told him.

"Saffy's right," Hermione said. "I love you, Harry, but you've smelled better."

"Guess that's my cue to take a shower as well," Harry stood up.

"We'll meet you out on the beach," Hermione told him.

"Be there in a bit," Harry replied.

Chloe and Emma grabbed Saffron's hands.

Saffron laughed. "Where are you girls taking me?"

"Outside!" Chloe said.

Andrew picked up Casey who squealed. "Outside it is!"

"Yay!" Emma cheered.

"Maybe we can find Gabey," Saffron teased Emma.

Emma blushed. "He's with Lexie."

"But, you know what?" Saffron asked her. "I'm sure he's going to love to see you."

"I hope so," Emma replied.

"You know," Saffron confided. "When I was your age, I had a little crush myself."

"On who?" Emma asked.

"Promise not to tell?" Saffron asked her.

"Cross my heart," Emma replied.

"Do you remember Ethan's best friend, Justin?" Saffron asked her.

"I think so," Emma replied.

"Well, he used to come here with Ethan and I used to follow them around," Saffron told her.

"Cute?" Emma asked.

Saffron nodded. "Gorgeous."

"Like Gabey," Emma giggled.

Saffron tickled the little girl's side. "Like Gabey."

"Who else, Saf?" Chloe asked.

"Who else did I have a crush on, you mean?" Saffron asked.

Chloe nodded. "Tell!"

"She had a crush on RJ," Andrew said coming up behind them. "Hello? Remember me?"

"I did not have a crush on RJ," Saffron replied.

"He says you did," Andrew told her. "Said you used to follow him around all the time when you were kids."

"I maintain that he followed ME," Saffron answered pertly.

"We can ask him," Hannah said pointing down the beach where RJ and Audrey were sitting.

"I don't think so," Saffron said quickly.

"No," Andrew grinned. "This could be fun."

"He'll just say it was the other way around." Saffron said. "I know the truth."

"Uncle RJ!" Emma yelled. "Come here!"

Saffron groaned.

"What's up?" RJ asked picking up his niece and spinning her around.

"Did you follow Saf around when you were a baby?" Emma asked.

"What?" RJ asked. He looked over at his friend. "Did you feed her that line of rubbish, Saffy?"

"I told them the truth," Saffron said.

"Yeah," Andrew grinned. "RJ, I was telling Saffy all about how you said she had a crush on you when you were kids."

"I NEVER had a crush on you!" Saffron exclaimed.

"You so did," RJ said with a grin.

"Please," Saffron rolled her eyes.

"Ladies and Andrew," RJ said. "I give you exhibit A----the summer I was eight and Saffron Grace Potter was six."

"RJ!" Saffron shouted when they arrived. "We're here!"

Ethan yelled when Saffron dropped her bag on his foot. "Ow, Brat!"

"Shut up Ethan," Saffron made a face at him

"Oh, hello," a soft voice said from behind them. They turned to see Maddie Weasley coming down the stairs. The 10 year old was holding the latest copy of The Quibbler.

"Hi Maddie!" Saffron exclaimed, running over to her and giving her a hug.

"Hiya, Saffy," Maddie said softly. "We were wondering when you lot were going to get here."

"We had a late start," Harry said. "Ethan did not want to get out of bed this morning."

"Me and Justin were up late," Ethan replied.

Justin laughed. "He was up late talking on the phone to Megan Coleman."

"Who's that?" Saffron asked.

"None of your business, brat," Ethan said with a yawn.

Justin picked up Saffron's bag. "Come on, Saf. I'll help you."

Saffron blushed. "Thanks."

Hermione looked at her son. "You know, you could follow Justin's example and be nice to your sister."

"I'm always nice," Ethan said. "Right Maddie?"

Maddie smiled. "When you want to be."

Justin laughed. "Good one, Maddie."

"Thank you," Maddie said, blushing. "Saffy, do you want to go down to the beach with me? I'm looking for seashells."

"Okay," Saffron said. "Can RJ come too?"

"He's already on the beach," Maddie told her. "He's with Daddy and Jon."

"Oh," Saffron said. "Okay."

"But we can find them," Maddie said.

"Let's get you changed into your swimming costume," Hermione said taking her daughter's hand.

Saffron nodded eagerly. "I'm going to find lots of shells!"

Hermione led her upstairs. "You didn't sleep at all last night, did you?"

Saffron shook her head. "I was too excited!"

Hermione laughed. "You always get that way before Brighton."

"Cause it's my most favourite place in the world," Saffron told her.

"And I love seeing my girl so happy," Hermione said grinning at her.

"I'm always happy," Saffron giggled.

"You are," Hermione said helping her daughter change into her red swimming costume. "And let's not forget the sunscreen."

"I don't want a sunburn," Saffron shook her head, her brown hair flying back and forth.

"I promise I'll be quick because I know you want to see everyone," Hermione said.

"Thanks," Saffron grinned at her.

"Promise me you won't wander off and you'll stay close to Maddie," Hermione said to her.

"I promise," Saffron said eagerly.

It did not take long before Saffron and Maddie were heading out of the house. Josh and his girlfriend, Lizzy, were sitting on the patio reading.

"Hi, Saffy," Lizzy said smiling at the little girl.

"Hi!" Saffron said happily. "I'm going to get shells with Maddie!"

Maddie picked up a bucket. "We can put them in here, Saffy."

Saffron nodded happily. "Will RJ want to find seashells with us?"

"We can ask," Maddie said. "Come on..."

Saffron took Maddie's hand and hurried alongside her.

RJ was kicking around a football with his father and Jon.

"This isn't as much fun as Quidditch," Jon said kicking the ball to his younger brother.

"The Muggles would freak if they saw you flying around," RJ said laughing.

"I know," Jon said glumly.

"Kick it over here, son," Ron said to RJ.

"Coming to you, Dad." RJ said, sending to him.

Ron kicked the ball up and bounced it off his knee. "Not bad, eh?"

"RJ!" Saffron squealed.

RJ turned. "Hey Saffy!" he waved.

Saffy beamed at him. "Can I play, too?"

"Sure," RJ said.

"You can take my place, Saffy," Jon said. "I'm going to go check on Al."

"So much for seashells," Maddie nudged her teasingly.

Saffron giggled. "I'll help after. I promise!"

"I'll sit and watch for a little while then," Maddie said.

Saffron ran over to take Jon's spot. She had seen Ethan and Justin play the Muggle game before so she knew the basics.

"That's good, Saffy." Ron encouraged as she kicked the ball to him.

"She's not too bad for a girl," RJ commented.

"I'm better than any plain old girl," Saffron said.

"You're not as good as me," RJ said as his father kicked the ball to him.

"Oh yeah?" Saffron asked.

"Yeah," RJ grinned, kicking the ball to her.

Saffron stopped it with her foot then kicked it back to him as hard as she could.

RJ wasn't expecting this and the ball sailed past him. Maddie clapped enthusiastically. "Way to go, Saffy!"

"Hey," RJ protested.

Saffron grinned. "I did good!"

"You sure did," Ron told her.

"Lucky shot," RJ grumbled.

"I'll do it again," she told him.

"Yeah, right," RJ said sending the ball to his dad.

Ron sent the ball to Saffron and she once again sailed it right past RJ, who tried to dive for it.

This time, Saffron did a little victory dance which made Ron and Maddie laugh, but infuriated RJ.

"Another lucky shot," he said angrily.

"I'll go easier on you," Saffron said running after the ball.

"No way," RJ said. "Not a GIRL."

"You're mad because I'm beating you," Saffron said.

"Am not," he denied.

Ethan and Justin had been watching this exchange. "Come on, RJ," Ethan said. "Don't let your girlfriend beat you, mate!"

"Saffron's not my girlfriend!" RJ shouted.

Ethan and Justin laughed even harder at this. Saffron's lower lip trembled. "I don't want to play anymore with you, RJ!"

"RJ," Ron said disapprovingly. "Apologise."

"Why?" RJ grumbled. "I didn't do anything!"

"Come on Saffy," Maddie said. "Let's go find those seashells."

"You're con-temp-table!" Saffron shouted at RJ.

RJ looked at her. "What does that mean?"

Ethan laughed. "She likes to use big words, mate. It's another way of saying you're mean."

"So what?" RJ crossed his arms.

"Come on, Saffy," Justin said taking the ball. "I'll play with you."

"You will?" Saffron's entire face brightened.

"Absolutely," Justin said. "It's good to play against a good competitor. My dad says that's the only way you'll improve."

Saffron grinned adoringly at him.

"That's a load of rubbish," RJ said.

"No it's not," Ethan told him.

RJ scowled as he watched Justin teach Saffron a trick.

"See if you can bounce it on your knee like I just did," Justin said handing her the ball.

"Okay," Saffron said eagerly.

"He's not so great, you know," RJ said to Maddie.

"RJ you need to be nicer to Saffy." Maddie said.

"I like her fine," RJ said. "I just don't like it when she beats me. I mean, she's a girl and she's younger than me."

Maddie shook her head.

"What?" RJ asked.

"Get used to girls beating you," Maddie advised him.

"No way," RJ said firmly.

"Just take my word for it." Maddie told him.

RJ watched as Saffron expertly bounced the ball off of her knee. "She is pretty good..."

"Better than you," Ethan teased him.

"She is not," RJ grumbled, though he knew Ethan had him there. He picked up Maddie's bucket. "I'll find you some shells, Maddie."

Maddie smiled at him. "Thanks RJ."

RJ walked over to Saffron. "Come on then."

"What?" she asked, glaring at him.

"We're going to find shells for Maddie," RJ said. "Come on."

"I'm busy," she informed him.

RJ sighed. "Will you come on, Saffy?"

"You're mean and I don't like you anymore," Saffron crossed her arms.

"You're acting like a big baby," RJ retorted, crossing his arms.

"You ARE a big baby," Saffron shot back, turning to Justin.

"Am not!" RJ hissed.

"Come on you two," Ethan said. "Stop squabbling and kiss and make up."

"Eww, gross!" Saffron groaned.

"REALLY gross," RJ frowned at him.

"Okay, you could at least hug," Ethan said.

Maddie stood up and looked at Ethan. "You're kind of making things worse, Ethan."

Saffron took aim and threw the football at her brother's head.

Ethan had been distracted by Maddie and the ball hit him on the cheek. "OW!"

"Serves you right," Saffron stuck her tongue out at him.

RJ laughed. "That was a good one, Saf."

"Thanks," Saffron smiled at him. "I guess we could go get some shells..."

RJ grinned. "Not just girly ones, okay?"

"All kinds," Saffron agreed.

Ethan, Justin, and Maddie watched the two younger children walk off. Ethan grabbed the ball and shook his head. "That brat has quite an arm on her. Another inch and she'd have broken my nose."

"I think that's what she was really aiming for," Justin said wryly.

"I'm sure your mum would know a spell to fix it if she had," Maddie said softly.

"Probably," Ethan muttered.

Maddie was about to say something else when Justin elbowed Ethan. There were two girls about their age setting out blankets. "Are you thinking what I'm thinking, mate?"

"Heck yeah," Ethan tossed the ball aside.

Maddie's smile faded as she watched Ethan and Justin approach the two girls. Ron put his arm around his daughter. "You okay, love?"

"Fine," Maddie said. "I'm going to go join RJ and Saffron."

"Good idea," Ron grinned. "Keep an eye on them."

"Right," Maddie forced a smile.

Maddie headed off down the beach after the two younger children and tried not to think about Ethan and those girls. She had thought she was over her crush. "Psst!"

Maddie looked around, but didn't see anyone. "Psst! Maddie, come here!" The blonde turned to see Frankie Longbottom hiding underneath a blanket.

"Frankie?" Maddie peered at her. "What are you doing?"

"Do you see a blonde haired boy wearing green swimming trunks anywhere around?" Frankie asked.

"Um..." Maddie looked around. "Down by the water..."

"What about a brown-haired boy with brown swimming trunks?" Frankie asked. "Wearing sunglasses..."

Maddie took another look. "No..."

Frankie sighed in relief and came out from under the blanket. "Thank Merlin for that!"

"Why?" Maddie looked at the black haired girl.

"I had a date with the two of them," Frankie explained. "I told Tristan I'd meet him on the beach at 11 and I just got rid of him. Derek over there....is supposed to meet me now. I didn't want the two of them to run into each other. It wouldn't be pretty."

"You had two dates?" Maddie asked, intrigued.

"This morning," Frankie nodded. "I have another one this afternoon, but I might cancel."

"Wow," Maddie couldn't help but be impressed by the pretty older girl.

"It's important to multi-task," Frankie said wisely. "I mean, I know I told my dad I'd work on those job applications, but for Merlin's sake, I just graduated from Hogwarts. This is my last free summer. If I can't have fun now, when can I have fun?"

Maddie smiled. "I guess never, right?"

"Right," Frankie agreed. She looked to her left to make sure that Tristan was truly gone and as she did so she saw Ethan and Justin flirting with some girls. "The Potters are here, I reckon?"

"Yeah," Maddie answered. "RJ and Saffron are off hunting seashells. I was going to join them."

"You're just as pretty as those girls," Frankie told her. "Even prettier, if you ask me."

"I am?" Maddie looked at her in surprise.

"Obviously," Frankie said. "Look at your hair, for one thing. I would kill to have hair like yours."

Maddie smiled. "I love yours too. It's so pretty."

Frankie grinned. "Thank you."

"So where do you really want to work?" Maddie asked her.

"My dad wants to set me up at the Ministry," Frankie made a face. "But I'd rather die than do that."

"I can't see you doing that," Maddie settled down next to her.

"Neither can I," Frankie said. "But I was looking in the Prophet today and there was a listing for Puddlemere. Something about public relations..."

"That sounds like fun," Maddie said. "I love Quidditch."

"I love Quidditch players," Frankie said with a grin.

Maddie giggled.

Frankie giggled, too. "But, we'll see."

Maddie saw RJ and Saffron near the shore in the distance. "I should probably go join them." she said.

"Okay," Frankie said. "And thanks for helping me earlier. You are a lifesaver."

"I didn't do much," Maddie protested.

"Yes, you did," Frankie argued. "Trust me. And don't you worry about Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Dumber over there. They can't hold a candle to you."

Maddie smiled at her. "Thanks Frankie."

Maddie caught up to RJ and Saffron as they were arguing over a shell.

"That's a good one," Saffron argued. "It's pretty."

"Too pretty," RJ said. "And girly."

Maddie peered over her brother's shoulder. "I'm going to use them to make necklaces, RJ. Mum would love that one."

"Oh," RJ said. "If I'd known that..."

Maddie mussed his hair. "You're such a boy."

RJ ducked away. "Knock it off."

Maddie giggled and looked to see what else they had picked. "These are great, you guys."

"Thanks!" Saffron beamed at her. "RJ picked a lot of them."

"You guys make a good team," Maddie said.

"Sometimes," Saffron replied.

"You can help me make the necklaces if you want, Saffy," Maddie told her.

"Okay," Saffron agreed, taking her hand.

"We can even make one for your Mummy," Maddie said.

"She'll love that," Saffron replied.

RJ sighed. "I wish there were more boys here. Jon's all about his wife and Lizzy and Josh are always together."

"I'm sure Ethan and Justin wouldn't mind you hanging out with them," Maddie told him.

"They're hanging out with girls," RJ said his nose scrunching up in disgust.

"So are you," Maddie pointed out.

"Yeah but... it's you and Saffron." RJ said. "That's different."

Saffron grinned. "That's because we're cool."

"Yeah right," RJ punched her shoulder.

Saffron laughed. "Yeah!"

Maddie laughed as the two children ran ahead of her.

Saffron looked at RJ as he finished telling the little girls the story. "See? That proves that you were totally in lurve with me when we were kids. Not the other way around."

"You were the biggest brat in the world," RJ said. "Still are."

"Oh, excuse me," Saffron nudged him. "I'd rather be a brat than a baby. You couldn't take the fact that I beat you."

Emma giggled. "Uncle RJ was a baby!" she sang, making the other kids laugh.

"Big baby!" Chloe chimed in happily.

Saffron began to laugh hard as RJ spluttered in defence.

"Big, huge baby," Andrew corrected with a grin.

"Thanks," RJ glared at his best friend.

Chloe plopped down on Saffron's lap. "Love you, Saf."

Saffron hugged her. "I love you too Chloe. You're my girl."

Chloe grinned.

"Can we make necklaces, too?" Hannah asked. "Like you did with Maddie?"

"Sure," Saffron said. "Let's get a few pails and we'll go collect as many seashells as we can."

"I'll catch up with you later," Andrew said giving his girlfriend a kiss. "Don't forget you’re mine tonight."

"I couldn't forget that," Saffron said, squeezing his hand. "Thanks for understanding."

"No worries," Andrew said. "I'll hang out with Audrey and RJ."

Saffron gave him another kiss. "I love you."

"Love you," Andrew said.

"Aud?" Saffron asked. "Would you like to come with us?"

"You wouldn't mind?" Audrey asked.

"Mind?" Saffron laughed. "I'd welcome the help. There's no telling what this lot of princesses would do to me!"

Audrey laughed. "In that case, I'm glad to help."

Audrey gave RJ a kiss. "Behave while I'm gone."

"I always do," RJ protested.

"Right," Audrey laughed.

"Come on!" Emma squealed, tugging at Hannah's hand. "So many shells, so little time!"

Hannah giggled. "We have so many necklaces to make. One for my mummy, your mummy, Casey's mummy, Chloe's mummy..."

"Don't forget grandmas," Saffron reminded them.

"And Aunt Dar," Chloe chimed in. "To make her feel good!"

"Lots of necklaces then," Saffron said, picking Chloe up.

"Yay!" Chloe exclaimed happily.

"Where are Gabriel and Alexa?" Audrey asked Saffron as the group of girls headed down the beach.

"I don't know," Saffron replied. "Maybe they're on the boardwalk."

"They make a nice couple," Audrey ventured. "And I'm not just saying that because she's RJ's ex."

"They do," Saffron agreed.

"She must be excited about moving to California," Audrey said.

"She is," Saffron said softly. "But, I'm going to miss her so much."

"I bet," Audrey said. "That's like if my cousin Becca moved away. She and I are so, so close."

Saffron smiled. "How does she like working at the pub?"

"She's a natural," Audrey laughed.

Saffron set Chloe down as they approached the house. The younger girls hurried to gather their pails.

"Do you---do you still talk to Natalia?" Saffron asked uncertainly.

"Once in awhile," Audrey said. "She's seeing someone else now."

"Oh," Saffron replied. "That's great. I still feel bad about how that happened."

"It was pretty awkward," Audrey admitted. "I didn't really know what to make of you at first."

Saffron laughed. "Not too many people do."

"Well for what it's worth, I'm glad we're friends," Audrey told her. "I think you and Andrew are the best match for one another."

"I'm glad we're friends too," Saffron said genuinely. "And for what it's worth, I'm glad you're with RJ. He needs someone like you."

"He needs someone who will give him a swift kick in the arse every now and again," Audrey said with a grin. "We both do that."

"I haven't always been that nice to him," Saffron admitted. "But I think of him like another brother."

"He definitely thinks of you as a sister," Audrey replied. "After all that's happened, he's been quite protective."

"Like a big brother," Saffron said fondly.

"Sassy!" Chloe said. "Come on! Shells!"

Saffron laughed. "Okay, okay."

Emma and Hannah had already collected half a bucket full by the time Saffron and Audrey caught up to them.

"Em's putting every one we find in there," Hannah told Audrey and Saffron. "She said she didn't want to leave any out."

"That's okay," Saffron said. "Whatever ones we don't use we can put back out here."

"You're really great with all of them," Audrey said as they followed the girls.

"They're a lot of fun," Saffron said. "They've taken my mind off a lot of bad things."

Audrey looked sympathetically at the other girl. She could not imagine having endured all that Saffron had to in the past months. "Is it hard being back here?"

"I thought it would be awful," Saffron said thoughtfully. "But... having Andrew here has been the biggest help of all. He's barely left my side."

Audrey smiled. "He's really great."

"He's perfect," Saffron replied.

"He said the same thing about you," Audrey grinned.

"Well RJ hasn't stop raving about you since you moved in together," Saffron smiled back at her. "When we're at practise its Audrey this and Audrey that..."

Audrey laughed. "He's been great. Though, I'm trying to work on him about leaving the toilet seat up..."

"Good luck," Saffron said dryly.

"When are you and Andrew moving in to your new place?" Audrey asked.

"I think August or September," Saffron replied. "We have to sign on it. I'm glad we found a house instead of a flat."

"It's such a great place, too," Audrey said.

"Once we're settled in, you two will come over and we'll have a nice dinner and enjoy ourselves," Saffron promised.

"We'd love that," Audrey said.

"Sassy!" Chloe squealed. "Look! Casey and me found it!"

"Wow!" Saffron said. "That's a gorgeous conch shell!"

"Big!" Casey held it up.

"It's huge," Saffron agreed. "Why don't I hold it so you two have room for smaller shells?"

Casey nodded and handed it to her.

"Good job," Saffron congratulated them. "Everyone's going to be really impressed with this."

"Princesses do good," Emma said proudly.

"That's right," Hannah told them.

"Come on, princesses," Saffron said. "Audrey and I will help you make the necklaces."

"Just a few more shells," Casey said, running ahead on the sand.

Audrey laughed. "I'll help her."

"Thanks," Saffron said. "Look how many you two got!" she exclaimed looking into Emma and Hannah's bucket.

"I'm going to make a bracelet for my Mummy too," Hannah told her. "I'd make one for Izzie, but she's too little and she might try to eat it."

"You can make one for her for when she's older," Saffron suggested.

"How many did you and Maddie make?" Hannah asked.

"Too many to count," Saffron replied with a grin.

"Did my Mummy really have that many boyfriends?" Hannah asked.

"She had a fair few," Saffron replied. "But no one turned her head like Will."

Hannah smiled. "I wonder how many girlfriends my Daddy had."

"I'm sure he was pretty popular," Saffron grinned.

The girls finished gathering up shells and were just heading back into the house when they met Ashley.

"Where are you going?" Saffron asked her niece.

"Down the beach to see Zander and Brit," Ashley said with a grin. "They just arrived this morning."

"Oh cool," Saffron smiled. "Tell them I said hello."

"I will," Ashley said. "I'll be back later."

261. Chapter 261--- Firsts

Authors’ note: We can’t really say much…we just hope you enjoy!

Ashley hadn't seen her two best friends since school had let out for the summer and she was eager to catch up. She hurried down towards the water and squealed when she saw Brittany laying out a towel.

"Ash!" Brittany exclaimed.

Ashley threw her arms around her best friend. "I missed you!"

"I missed you too!" Brittany laughed.

"Where's Zander?" Ashley asked.

"He had to help his dad with something," Brittany said. "He'll be here soon."

"Great," Ashley set her bag down. "I missed you both like crazy."

"How are things?" Brittany asked. "Tell me EVERYTHING!"

Ashley giggled. "You mean, tell you about the engagement?"

"Yes," Brittany gushed. "It's soooooo romantic!"

"Aunt Saffy's really excited," Ashley replied. "Wait until you see the ring."

Brittany grinned. "She's so lucky. Andrew Kirke is so hot!"

"He is pretty dreamy," Ashley nodded. "And now he's going to be my uncle."

"Does anyone know you used to fancy him?" Brittany asked.

"Yeah," Ashley blushed. "But I don't think anyone would bring it up."

"That's good," Brittany said. She spotted her cousin and she waved so he would see them. "Here's Zander now!"

Ashley turned and saw her friend walking toward them, but he wasn't alone. A girl about his height with her black hair pulled back into a plait was walking alongside him.

"Who is that?" She asked.

"Lucy," Brittany groaned. "She lives in the house next door to ours. I was hoping she wouldn't be here, but I guess she cornered Zander."

"What's wrong with her?" Ashley asked, trying to ignore the feeling in her stomach.

"She's not that bad," Brittany replied. "She just gets on my nerves sometimes is all."

"She's pretty," Ashley ventured quietly.

"She and Zander bonded over video games," Brittany said rolling her eyes.

"Bonded?" Ashley asked.

Brittany did not have a chance to reply as Zander and Lucy reached them. "Hiya, Ash!" Zander exclaimed with a grin.

"Hey," Ashley's smiled returned as she got up to hug him.

"This is my friend, Ashley," Zander said introducing Lucy. "Ash, this is Lucy. She lives in the house next door to ours."

Lucy smiled. "You're the famous Ashley."

Zander turned red. "Lucy..."

"I heard you beat my boy here in Ninja Death Warrior," Lucy said nudging Zander. "Even I haven't been able to do that..."

"Oh it was just once," Ashley managed.

"I wish I'd have been there to see it," Lucy said.

"It's not something I like to broadcast," Zander said, his eyes on Ashley as she took off her cover up.

"Great suit, Miss Malfoy," Brittany said.

"Thanks," Ashley said. Her mother had picked out the lilac coloured bikini for her in Paris.

"It's great, isn't it, Zander?" Brittany asked her cousin.

"Yeah," he said. "Great..."

Lucy smiled. She knew about Zander's crush on Ashley, even though he had not told her straight out how he felt. It was easy to see. "Well, I'll see you later. It was nice to meet you, Ashley."

"Leaving already?" Brittany asked. "Darn..."

"I'll see you later," Lucy reassured her, ignoring Brittany's sarcasm. "Bye, Zander."

"See you later," Zander smiled at her.

"Why on earth did you bring her down here?" Brittany hissed at her cousin when Lucy was out of earshot.

"What's wrong with her?" Zander asked.

"She's annoying," Brittany replied as if the answer should be obvious.

"She's not that bad," Zander said mildly.

"She seems nice," Ashley said softly.

"She's annoying," Brittany said. "She's fancied Zander for like four years now."

"She has not," Zander rolled his eyes. "Shut up, Brit."

Ashley turned away from them. This news upset her more than she cared to admit.

"I'm going swimming," Zander said. "Either of you want to come?"

Brittany snorted. "And get my hair wet?"

"Oh, I forgot," Zander said sarcastically. "Ash, are you worried about your hair, too? Or would you like to go for a swim?"

"That'd be nice," Ashley said. "It's pretty hot out here."

Zander grinned and took off his t-shirt. "Come on then."

Ashley smiled at him as they took off towards the water.

"So how've you been?" Zander asked. "Katie driving you mad yet?"

"She hasn't been too bad," Ashley told him about Mia staying with them. "Other than that first day, she's been good."

"Give her time," Zander teased.

Ashley laughed. "She can't wait to see Brit."

Zander looked over at her. "I couldn't wait to see you."

"I missed you too," Ashley replied.

Zander smiled. He had made a promise to himself that he would tell Ashley how he felt and he would do it this summer. He just had to find the right moment.

"Come on," Ashley took his hand. "The water feels great!"

Zander laughed. "Okay, okay, Malfoy!"

Ashley splashed him then dove under a wave.

Zander dove in after her.

Ashley surfaced a little ways out. "Come on!"

"You're not fighting fair, Ash!" Zander called out to her.

"Can't swim, Murray?" she asked.

Zander disappeared under the water for what seemed like forever. Ashley looked around. "Zander? Come on!"

She was about to call out his name again when something grabbed her foot.

"Zander!" Ashley managed to scream right before he pulled her under water.

They both came up laughing. "You bugger," she splashed him again.

"You deserved it," Zander said reaching for her.

"Please," Ashley giggled.

Zander suddenly realised that his arms were around his best friend. "You---you really look pretty today. I mean, not that you don't look pretty every day..."

Ashley blushed. "You think so?"

Zander nodded. "I've always thought so."

"That's sweet," Ashley said, her voice shaking a bit.

"Do you ever think about New Year's?" Zander asked her.

She gulped. "Yeah..."

"Me too," Zander admitted. "More than I probably should..."

"Me too, lately." Ashley told him.

Zander leaned in. Ashley felt her breath coming faster and she closed her eyes.

Unlike the first time he'd kissed her on New Year's, there was no hesitation on his part. He pressed his lips gently to hers.

Ashley put her arms around his neck and kissed him back.

"Zander," Ashley whispered, a little dazed.

"That was incredible, Ash." he said.

Ashley smiled. "You kissed me."

"And you kissed me back," he grinned at her.

"I did," Ashley said blushing.

"You're good at it," he said.

"You're not too bad," Ashley said shivering a little.

"Are you cold?" he asked her.

"Just a little," Ashley admitted.

"We can go back to shore if you want," he said, reluctantly letting her go.

Ashley shook her head. "I don't want to go."

"You don't?" he asked. "Really?"

Ashley shook her head. "No."

"We can just sort of float around out here then," he said, feeling flustered.

"You're my best friend," Ashley said. "I'm just scared that this might get in the way..."

"It wouldn't," he said.

"How can you be sure?" Ashley asked.

"I guess I don't know for sure," Zander said. "But--"

"Maybe we could see how it goes," Ashley said thoughtfully. "I mean, it's going to be hard with Brittany around..."

"She'll be busy with Evan," Zander pointed out.

"Do you think we could do this?" Ashley asked.

"Yeah," he said nervously.

Ashley couldn't believe they were actually going to try this. The idea terrified and excited her all at the same time. "No matter what, we'll always be friends?" she asked him.

"Always," he promised her.

Ashley smiled and reached for his hand.

He squeezed her hand in his, unbelievably excited.

Ashley leaned in and kissed him again.

Zander wrapped his arms around her and drew her close.

Ashley relaxed against him. This was all so new to her, but she liked it.

They spent the next half hour swimming, splashing each other and sharing a kiss every now and again.

"It's about time," Brittany said when they came back to the towels. "You two sure were out there a long time."

"We were having fun," Zander said with a grin.

Ashley blushed. "Lots of fun. The water was really...interesting."

Brittany raised an eyebrow. "The water was interesting? What does that mean?"

"Nothing," Ashley said quickly.

"I'm going to be so tan when we go back to Hogwarts," Brittany boasted. She put her sunglasses back on and leaned back on her elbows.

"I hope I get a little colour," Ashley said. "But I burn so easily, I have to be careful."

Brittany motioned toward her bag. "I have some sun block that you're welcome to use. My mum wouldn't let me out of the house without it."

"Thanks," Ashley reached into the bag. "Um... Zander? Can you help me with this?"

"Sure," Zander replied with a grin.

Brittany looked at the two of them with her eyebrows raised.

"How's Evan?" Ashley asked.

"Fine," Brittany's expression immediately turned dreamy.

Zander rolled his eyes. "Here we go..."

Ashley giggled.

"What?" Brittany asked. "I fancy Evan and I think he's perfect. What's so wrong with that?"

"Absolutely nothing," Ashley said as Zander rubbed lotion on her shoulders.

Brittany smiled. "Thank you, Ash. At least you understand unlike SOME people."

"And Katie also wants to hear about it," Ashley shook her head.

"I'm thinking Brit and Katie were switched at birth," Zander said giving Ashley's shoulder a squeeze.

"You wouldn't want to deal with Katie on a regular basis," Ashley said. "I mean, she's sweet when she wants to be, but she has her moods."

"Sounds like someone else I know," Zander commented.

"I don't have moods," Brittany exclaimed throwing some sand in his direction.

"Hey!" Zander sputtered. "You got that in my mouth!"

"That's what you get for making those comments," Brittany said smiling sweetly at him.

Zander glared at her.

"Come on," Ashley said. "You can get along for one day. This is the first time the three of us have been together all summer. Let's at least try and make it pleasant."

"Okay," Brittany said. "Truce."

"Truce," Zander said. "In fact...I'll even make it up to you by buying the ice cream."

"Yum," Ashley said.

Zander had asked Brittany to hold his wallet and he reached into his cousin's beach bag for it. "I'll be right back."

Ashley moved back onto her towel next to Brittany as Zander ambled away.

"I love giving him a hard time," Brittany giggled.

Ashley looked over at her. "Promise you won't say anything to anyone?"

Brittany lay back on her towel and closed her eyes. "My lips are sealed."

"Me and Zander kissed," Ashley told her.

"You know I was thinking that---WHAT?" Brittany yelled. She threw off her sunglasses and sat up. "Shut up!"

"Shhh!" Ashley said. "Brit!"

"Sorry," Brittany apologised. "No wonder the two of you were grinning like that when you came back here!"

"He likes me," Ashley confessed. "And I think I like him a lot too. But I don't want us to stop being friends because of it."

Brittany grinned. "Oh, it won't! He's fancied you forever, Ash! I would have said something before, but I promised him I wouldn't, but it really was kind of obvious..."

"He's fancied me?" Ashley asked.

Brittany rolled her eyes. "Ash---you mean to tell me you never saw it? He lit up like a Christmas tree whenever you came into a room."

"I guess I just never paid that close attention," Ashley replied.

"So," Brittany asked her eyes gleaming. "What was it like?"

"I liked it," Ashley said. "He was really... gentle about it."

Brittany grinned. "So why don't you want to tell anyone?"

"I don't know," Ashley said. "I guess... I want to talk to my aunt about this all first."

"Saffy?" Brittany asked. "Why?"

"Because she knows all this better than anyone," Ashley replied.

"Here he comes," Brittany whispered.

"Chocolate for you," Zander said. "And strawberry for Ash."

"That's not all Ash got from you," Brittany said dryly.

Zander looked at her. "You told her?"

"I'm sorry, but she was going to figure it out," Ashley said softly. "You're not mad are you?"

"No," he said.

Brittany grinned. "I'm just glad it's all out in the open. You two were driving me crazy!"

"Well we aren't going to be gross like you and Evan," Zander said.

Brittany stuck her tongue out at him. "Evan and I are not gross."

"Yes you are," Zander retorted, taking a bite of his cone.

"Whatever," Brittany said laughing.

Ashley sat back on her towel and reached for her sketchpad.

"What are you going to draw?" Brittany asked.

"You two arguing," Ashley said with a grin.

Zander laughed. "You could fill up the entire book on just that."

"Very funny," Brittany replied.

"You know," Zander said. "I was thinking maybe we could go to the arcade..."

"That could be fun," Brittany said. She looked over at her cousin who was shaking his head at her. "Oh...um, well, I might have something to do..."

"Like what?" Ashley asked, who had missed the exchange.

"Um," Brittany said. "You know...that thing....that thing that I just remembered I had to do."

Ashley raised her eyebrow at her friend.

"I was sort of thinking that you and me could go," Zander said to Ashley. "Just us."

"Oh," Ashley said sheepishly. "Um... I'll have to ask my parents first."

"Your first date!" Brittany squealed.

"Brit," Zander rolled his eyes.

"Sorry," Brittany apologised.

"When we're done out here I'll go find out if it's okay," Ashley told him. "Hopefully my parents will let me go."

"I'm sure it will be fine," Zander said.

"I hope so," Ashley said shyly.

A couple of hours later, they were packing up their things. Zander wanted to walk Ashley back and Brittany headed home.

"Brit told me something," Ashley confided in him when they were alone.

"Oh yeah?" he said.

Ashley nodded. "You fancied me for quite awhile?"

Zander groaned. "Brit and her big bloody mouth!"

Ashley touched his arm. "It's okay. But, I was wondering...how long exactly would 'awhile' be?"

"Earlier this year," he mumbled.

Ashley smiled shyly at him. "Really?"

"And the song I gave you for Christmas... I did write that just for you." Zander said.

Ashley stopped walking and looked at him. "Zander..."

He smiled sheepishly at her

"That's the best gift anyone has ever given me," Ashley said softly.

"I'm glad you liked it," he told her.

"There's something else I like," Ashley said stepping closer.

Zander grinned at her. "Me too..."

Ashley pressed her lips to his.

Zander responded eagerly to her kiss, ecstatic that Ashley felt the same way as him.

Ashley rested her forehead against his. "I can't believe I didn't see it."

"It's okay," he told her.

"This is all so weird," Ashley admitted. "A good weird though. Does that make sense?"

"Yeah," he nodded, still holding onto her.

"So, what did you want to do at the arcade?" Ashley asked.

"Play some games," Zander shrugged. "Walk around..."

"I'll win you a stuffed animal," Ashley teased.

"Or I'll win you one," Zander returned.

Ashley laughed. "I can't wait."

"Well... I'm going home to get changed. Ring me when you talk to your parents, okay?" Zander said.

"I will," Ashley promised.

"Talk to you in a bit then," Zander grinned broadly.

Ashley watched him go. She finally understood what Saffron and Alexa and even Brittany had told her about.

She hurried into the house, hoping to find her aunt for a quick chat before she talked to her parents.

She found Saffron in her bedroom, reading.

"Hey, you," Saffron said smiling at her. "How was your day?"

"Amazing," Ashley said. "Aunt Saffy... I think Zander's my boyfriend."

Saffron closed her book. "So you had a big day, then?"

Ashley nodded. "We kissed."

"Sit down," Saffron told her. She looked at her niece and smiled.

Ashley plopped down on the end of the bed. "I'm not sure how to tell my mum and dad about this."

"Well, you might want to leave out the snogging part," Saffron said thoughtfully. "Parents don't need to know EVERYTHING."

"But do you think they'll let me go to the arcade with him?" Ashley asked.

"I wouldn't see why not," Saffron replied. "They've let you go places with him before."

"But not like this," Ashley said.

"Your first date," Saffron said nodding. "Well, you are thirteen now and you're going to be entering your third year at Hogwarts."

"When did Grandma and Grandpa let you date?" Ashley asked.

"Well, I didn't have my first real boyfriend until I was fourteen," Saffron said. "But we didn't really go out on dates, really. I guess I was about 15 when they let me."

Ashley was worried. "What if they say no to me then?"

"Ash," Saffron said patting her arm reassuringly. "You're a responsible girl. They trust you and they like Zander."

Ashley nodded. "Okay..."

"And if I were you," Saffron said. "I'd ask Jules first. Dads always freak about this kind of stuff. If Jules says 'yes', your dad doesn't really have a leg to stand on."

Ashley had to smile.

Saffron grinned at her. "I'm really happy for you. Zander's great."

"I'll go ask now so I can ring him back and let him know," Ashley stood up.

"Good luck," Saffron said.

"Thanks," Ashley gave her a hug.

"No problem," Saffron said. "We're not just family, Ash. We're friends."

"You're the best," Ashley told her.

Ashley took a deep breath and walked downstairs to find her mother. She found Julie in the kitchen with Katie.

"Katie, could you give Mum and me a minute?" Ashley asked her little sister.

"Why?" Katie asked.

"Because I need to talk to her about something," Ashley replied. "Alone."

Katie rolled her eyes. "You all treat me like I'm five."

"Merlin, Katie," Ashley said in exasperation. "This isn't about you. This is about me wanting to talk to Mum alone. If you came in here when I was with her and asked me to leave, I'd go."

Julie put a hand on her younger daughter's arm. "I'm sure it won't take long, baby."

"Fine," Katie said sliding off her chair. "It's probably something boring anyway!"

"Very," Ashley rolled her eyes as Katie stalked from the room.

"Katherine Rose, I better not find that you're standing outside the door eavesdropping," Julie called out.

They heard a set of feet scampering away and Ashley shook her head. "Honestly.”

Julie laughed. "I know your little sister all too well."

"Well," Ashley began. "I um... wanted to talk to you about something really important."

Julie sat down. "Okay. What's on your mind, love?"

"Well," Ashley said nervously, wiping her sweaty palms on her shorts. "Zander wants to take me to the arcade."

Julie smiled. "You think he and Brittany can get along for an evening?"

"Um... that's the thing," Ashley blushed. "Brit won't be there..."

"That's a shame," Julie said. "Is she not feeling well or something?"

"She's fine," Ashley said. "I guess you could sort of say this... is a date."

Julie had not expected this. "A date?"

"Well yeah," Ashley looked hopefully at her mother.

Julie leaned back in her chair. "Oh."

"Can I go?" Ashley ventured. "Please?"

"I wasn't aware that things between you and Zander had progressed like this," Julie said.

"It just sort of happened," Ashley explained.

Julie regarded her daughter. "Ashley, you're 13 years old..."

"I know but--" Ashley began.

"How are two of my three favourite girls in the entire world?" Nick asked coming in from outside.

"Fine," Ashley said quickly, shooting her mother a pleading look.

"You both look serious," Nick said giving his wife a kiss on the cheek.

"Ashley was just telling me that Zander asked her on a date," Julie said to him.

Ashley gulped. She had hoped her mother wouldn't say anything.

"Really..." Nick said.

"I think we need to have a little discussion," Julie looked back at her daughter.

"It's just to the arcade," Ashley said to her father. "Zander and I have gone places by ourselves before."

"As in a date, though?" Nick asked, sitting down.

"No," Ashley replied. "But, you guys know him and you know you can trust us."

"I think you're a little too young for this sort of thing, Ashley," Julie explained.

Ashley looked at her mother. "If I had come to you and asked you if Zander and I could go to the arcade just as friends, you wouldn't have had a problem."

"Because I assume you'd have gone in a group," Julie told her.

"What if Aunt Saffy and Andrew come with Zander and me?" Ashley asked. "That would be okay, right?"

"Your mum and I don't think you should be dating at 13, Ash." Nick said.

Ashley gaped at him. "Dad, come on..."

"You're too young," Nick said.

"It's not like Zander and me are going to be snogging the whole time," Ashley argued. "We're just going to play games and maybe grab a bite to eat."

"Snogging?" Nick asked. Julie shot him a look.

Ashley inwardly cursed herself for bringing that up. Saffron had told her not to and she probably had made a bad situation even worse. But, she could not believe they were acting like this.

"Ashley," Julie began again. "It's not that we think you're irresponsible. We just think that you're too young to go on a date."

"Well, what if Brittany goes with us?" Ashley asked.

"Ashley I don't want you to resort to sneaking around--" Nick started to say.

"I wouldn't!" Ashley exclaimed. "I can call her right now and see if she'd come with us."

"Let me talk to your father alone for a few minutes," Julie told her.

Ashley nodded. "Mum, I've never given you a reason to doubt me and you're always telling me how responsible I am. I want this more than anything."

"Just a few minutes," Julie repeated.

Ashley stood up and walked out of the kitchen.

"She's too young to date," Nick said before Julie could even open her mouth. "And I don't think her bringing Brittany is going to stop them from having one."

"Nick," Julie said. "Maybe we could take the two of them?"

Nick raised his eyebrows. "That's not a bad idea, Jules."

Julie smiled. "I have a good one every now and then..."

He grinned at her. "More than every now and then..."

"Well, I didn't want to brag," Julie grinned. "It's a compromise. Ashley and Zander can go to the arcade and we can keep an eye on them."

"I can go for that," Nick nodded.

"So, we're in agreement?" Julie asked.

"Sure," he agreed.

"Ashley?" Julie called out.

Ashley hurried in, her expression hopeful.

"We've come up with a compromise," Julie told her.

"Okay," Ashley sat down across from them and crossed her fingers.

"You can go to the arcade with Zander," Julie replied. "But, the catch is...your father and I will be going with you."

"Oh," Ashley replied, biting her lower lip. "Well... that's okay. At least I can still go."

Nick grinned. "I'm glad you're okay with it, Ash."

"I'll go ring him and let him know." Ashley said.

"Tell him we'll pick him up in about an hour," Julie told her.

"Thanks," Ashley said to her parents before hurrying out.

"Zander, eh?" Nick asked his wife.

"He's a good kid," Julie replied.

Nick nodded. "I thought they were just friends."

"Apparently that's changed," Julie said.

In the sitting room, Ashley had just rung Zander. "Hey, it's me."

"Ash..." Zander sighed. "I don't know how to tell you this... but my parents said I can't go alone to the arcade with you. Some rubbish about being too young."

Ashley smiled. "Mine said the same thing, but...there's good news."

"There is?" he asked doubtfully.

"My mum and dad were saying the same thing about us being too young," Ashley told him. "But then they came up with a compromise. They'll take you and me to the arcade and chaperone."

"Be there the whole time?" he asked.

"Yeah," Ashley replied.

"I guess that's better than nothing right?" he asked.

"Right," Ashley said. "And I'm sure they'll not be right on top of us the whole time."

"Hopefully not," he agreed.

"But, at least we still get to go," Ashley said softly.

"Right." he said.

"Do you need to ask your parents?" Ashley asked. "Make sure that's okay with them?"

"Probably," he said. "Can I ring you back in a few?"

"Absolutely," Ashley replied. "I'll keep my fingers crossed."

"Me too," he said.

Ashley hung up the phone and turned around to see Katie staring at her. "What?" Ashley asked.

"What's going on?" her sister asked.

"Nothing," Ashley replied.

Katie rolled her eyes.

"So," Ashley said. "What have you been up to today?"

"Nothing," Katie said in the same tone Ashley had.

"Where are Caroline and Mia?" Ashley asked.

"Around," Katie said loftily.

Ashley nodded and studied her sister. "You listened to my phone call, didn't you?"

Katie only shrugged in reply.

"You know maybe everyone wouldn't treat you like you were five if you didn't act like it," Ashley said, glaring at her.

"Shut up Ashley," Katie retorted.

"I don't go around listening to everything you do," Ashley said sitting down on the sofa.

"You're going on a date with Zander?" Katie asked. "For real? There are so many cuter guys out there."

"There's absolutely nothing wrong with Zander!" Ashley retorted.

"He's so boring," Katie waved her hand.

"He's not," Ashley exclaimed. "He's funny and he's sweet and he's my best friend."

"And you're in looooooove with him." Katie replied.

"Shut it, Katie," Ashley muttered.

"Wait til Mum and Dad hear," Katie said gleefully.

"They already know," Ashley said rolling her eyes.

"They do?" Katie asked in dismay.

"Yes, they're chaperoning our date," Ashley told her. Thankfully, the phone rang. Ashley reached for it, but Katie got to it first.

"Hello?" Katie asked.

"May I speak with Ashley?" Zander asked.

"Is this her boyfriend?" Katie asked coyly.

Ashley grabbed the phone. "Katie, you are such a pest!"

Katie stuck her tongue out at her sister and stomped out.

"I'm sorry," Ashley said into the phone. "What did you find out?"

"My parents want to talk to yours," Zander said. "But I can go."

Ashley sighed in relief. "I'm glad. I was so worried."

"Me too," Zander replied.

"You should have seen my mum when I told her we wanted to go on a date," Ashley told him.

"Probably as scary as mine," Zander said ruefully.

"I'll see you in a little while," Ashley said softly.

"Are you picking me up or do you want me to come there?" Zandre asked.

"We can come and pick you up," Ashley said.

"When?" he asked.

"Seven?" Ashley asked looking at the clock. "If that's okay?"

"Sure," Zander said. "I can't wait."

"Me too," Ashley said happily.

"See you in a bit then," Zander replied.

Ashley hung up the phone, but she didn't stop smiling.

Julie came into the room. "Are we all set?" she asked her daughter.

Ashley nodded. "His parents were worried about our age, too. They said it was okay since you'd be going, too."

"Good," Julie replied. "Ash... I'm proud of you."

"Really?" Ashley asked. "Why?"

"The way you handled this," Julie said. "You were upset, but talked maturely to us."

"Thanks for doing this," Ashley said gratefully.

"We just want to see you happy, sweetheart," Julie smoothed her hair back.

"I'm very happy," Ashley said. "I should go and get ready."

"We'll leave soon," Julie promised.

"Thanks again," Ashley said before hurrying upstairs.

Saffron saw her come upstairs. "Well?"

Ashley told her aunt everything that had happened. "It's not exactly how I pictured my first date..."

"Trust me, you'll be dating before you know it," Saffron told her. "Without parents."

Ashley grinned. "I need to take a quick shower and I have to find something to wear!"

"Want some help?" Saffron asked, setting her bridal magazine aside.

"Please," Ashley replied.

"Go take a shower," Saffron said. "I'll find an outfit for you."

"Thanks, Aunt Saffy," Ashley said.

"Anytime, Ash." Saffron said.

Zander was having the same issues at his own house. He pulled on a t-shirt.

"Oh, please tell me you're not going to wear that!" Brittany exclaimed from the doorway.

"What's wrong with it?" Zander asked.

"I don't have enough time to tell you everything that's wrong with it," Brittany replied.

Zander rolled his eyes.

"I still can't believe you finally told her," Brittany said as she looked through Zander's closet.

"It worked, didn't it?" Zander said. "I just can't believe she likes me too."

"I told you she would," Brittany said pulling out a shirt. She held it up to him. "I thin this would work."

"Thanks," Zander took it.

"Your mum was looking for the camera," Brittany warned him. "I think she's going to take a photo."

Zander groaned. "She's going to embarrass me."

Brittany laughed. "She's not. She just wants to remember the occasion."

"I'll remember it well enough," Zander grumbled.

Brittany sat down on the edge of his bed. "I know I give you a hard time, Zander. But, I'm really happy for you."

"Thanks Brit," Zander said. "I guess I owe part of this to you. I probably wouldn't have done this if you hadn't urged me."

Brittany grinned. "It only took you forever..."

"Shut up," Zander replied.

Heath Murray knocked on the door. "Son?"

"Yeah Dad?" Zander looked up.

"I wanted to give you some money for tonight," his father said, reaching for his wallet.

"Thanks," Zander said gratefully.

"I'm not going on a date, Uncle Heath," Brittany said. "But I'd be happy to take some money..."

Heath grinned at her. "Perhaps when you HAVE a date, love."

"I'll hold you to it," Brittany said grinning back at him. "I'll be downstairs."

Heath smiled at his son. "And here's something else for you." he held out the camera.

Zander grinned. "Thanks, Dad. I was worried."

"Hide it well." Heath advised.

"Thanks," Zander said taking the camera and putting it in his trunk. He buried it underneath some old books. "Mr. and Mrs. Malfoy should be here soon."

"Good," Heath nodded. "You'll have a good time."

"I'm a little nervous," Zander admitted.

"That's natural," his father said.

"I don't want to do anything to screw this up," Zander confided. "I like her so much, Dad."

Heath smiled. "Sounds as if she fancies you back quite a bit. Ashley's a lovely girl."

"She's amazing, Dad," Zander said, grinning as he thought about her.

Heath chuckled. "I'm sure she is, son."

"Thanks for letting me go," Zander said.

"Your mum and I do think you're too young to date," Heath told him. "But with her parents there, we think you'll be okay."

"We will," Zander promised.

The doorbell rang and Zander gulped.

Heath clapped his son on the back. "It's okay, son."

Zander nodded. "It's going to be fun."

Heath followed his son downstairs. Julie and Nick Malfoy were chatting with Zander's mother and Brittany was talking with Ashley.

"I LOVE your outfit," Brittany gushed. "Where did you get it?"

Ashley nervously played with the strap of her flower print sundress. "It was in my closet. Saffy picked it out for me."

"Good taste," Brittany replied.

"Hello, Nick, Julie," Heath said warmly to Ashley's parents. "Good to see you both."

"You too," Nick shook his hand.

"Hi, Mr. Murray," Ashley said shyly.

"Hello Ashley," Heath smiled. "You look quite nice."

Meredith Murray nodded her head. "She does! I wanted to take a picture, but I can't seem to find my camera."

Heath winked at his son who turned a laugh into a cough. "It's okay Mum.

"We promise we'll have him back by around ten," Nick told Heath. "If that's okay..."

"That's fine," Heath nodded. "Thanks for tagging along with them."

"We wouldn't have had it any other way," Nick said grinning at Ashley who turned bright red.

Julie nudged her husband. "Let's get going."

"Have fun, you two!" Meredith called out.

"You know," Zander whispered to Ashley. "For someone who said I was too young to date, she sure was eager to document it on film..."

Ashley giggled. "Let me guess, you hid it?"

Zander grinned. "I can neither confirm nor deny."

"We thought we'd walk since it's such a nice night," Nick told them as they left.

"That sounds great," Zander said reaching for Ashley's hand.

Ashley blushed as he linked their fingers together. She hoped her parents wouldn’t' say anything about it.

"You look really beautiful," Zander whispered.

"Thanks," she whispered shyly.

Nick and Julie were walking ahead of them. Julie squeezed her husband's hand. "Did you ever think you'd be on a double date with your daughter?"

"No," Nick shook his head. "I was actually hoping this moment would never happen."

Julie laughed. "All fathers say that."

"Your dad did too, I'm sure." he replied.

Julie nodded. "And he had the advantage of being an Auror and the wizard that defeated the Dark Lord."

"I was pretty intimidated." Nick admitted.

"I'm must glad he didn't scare you away," Julie said leaning against him.

"I had to be pretty persistent with you," Nick said softly.

"It paid off," Julie said.

"Sure did," Nick said. "Even after all these years you still take my breath away."

Julie smiled. "Nicholas..."

He gave her a quick kiss as they neared the arcade.

"Looks like a lot of people had the same idea," Ashley said.

Nick took out his wallet. "Let me give you some money, Ashley."

"Thanks, Dad," Ashley said.

"I've got money," Zander told her.

"Oh," Ashley said smiling at him. "Okay."

"We'll be around if you need us," Julie told her. "And we'll meet you back here at the front entrance at 9:45."

"Thanks Mum," Ashley said.

Zander smiled at her parents. "Thanks."

"Have fun," Nick said before he and Julie headed off.

"So, what did we want to do first?" Ashley asked him.

"I don't know," he confessed.

Ashley looked around and her eyes fell on a photo booth. "Well," she said taking his hand. "I know you didn't want your mum to take a photo, but this might be nice..."

"Sure," he agreed.

Ashley laughed. "And we won't show our parents."

"No way," he agreed, tugging on her hand.

Zander put some coins into the slot and then pulled back the curtain. Ashley sat down first on the small bench.

Zander squeezed next to her and they both grinned.

The camera flashed. "Okay," Ashley said. "Let's do a goofy one...'

Zander stuck his tongue out while Ashley crossed her eyes.

"Okay," Ashley giggled. "Let's do serious..."

"Then what?" he asked.

"Another nice one," Ashley said thoughtfully.

"Sure," he said, putting his arm around her.

Ashley leaned against him as the camera took the last picture.

"That'll turn out good," Zander said. "I'll keep two and you keep two."

"Perfect," Ashley said while they waited for the strip of photos.

He grinned at her. "I'll try to win you a prize."

"A huge teddy bear?" Ashley asked.

"If that's what you want," he said.

"Let's get something to eat first," Ashley said. "I'm starving."

"Sure," Zander agreed, taking her hand again.

They joined the queue for one of the vendors. "Good so far?" Zander asked her.

"I'm fine," Ashley said. "Having fun."

"Me too," Zander said. "I can't believe we're actually here."

Ashley giggled nervously. "I know."

"What do you want?" Zander asked her. "Pizza? Hamburger? Hot dog?"

"Pizza's fine with me," Ashley told him

"Why don't you go and grab us a table and I'll get the food?" Zander asked her.

Ashley nodded and hurried over towards the tables. She saw with surprise Gabriel and Alexa sitting a few seats down.

"Hi, Lexie!" Ashley called to her.

"Ashley!" Alexa exclaimed. "What are you doing here?"

"Zander and me are kind of on a date," Ashley told her.

"You and Zander?" Alexa asked. "When did that happen?"

"Today," Ashley blushed.

"That's great," Alexa said sincerely.

"Thanks," Ashley said. "How long have you guys been here?"

"Just a little while," Gabriel said. "Alexa's trying to whoop me in billiards."

"Trying to?" Alexa scoffed. "I am."

"We won't tell anyone," Gabriel grinned at Ashley.

"I'd better get back," Ashley said when she saw Zander heading toward her.

"Have fun," Alexa said. "Give me and Saffy details later."

"I will," Ashley promised.

"Do you want cheese or pepperoni?" Zander asked.

"Cheese," Ashley replied.

"Here you go," Zander said. "I have to go back and get our drinks."

"Thanks, "Ashley said softly.

Ashley sat down at the table and waited for him to come back. She still felt like pinching herself to make sure this was real.

He came back with soda for the both of them and they sat there eating their pizza in silence.

"I still have to make Malfoy pizza for you," Ashley told him.

"I've been waiting for it," he grinned at her.

Ashley laughed. "Well, if you play your cards right, I'll make it for you this summer."

"Cool," he said, taking a big bite of his slice.

Alexa waved at Gabriel and Alexa as they left the food court. "I still can't believe she's actually leaving," Ashley said. "I mean not for a few weeks..."

"She's moving overseas, right?" Zander asked.

Ashley nodded. "To go to university."

"That's so cool," he commented. "I don't know if I could ever move that far away."

"I know," Ashley said thoughtfully.

"What about you?" Zander asked.

"Well," Ashley told him. "I've been thinking a lot about where I'd like to go to school after we graduate."

"I haven't thought that far ahead yet," Zander said.

"I've just looked at a few places," Ashley told him. "I'd like to study in either Paris or Rome. My art teacher thinks that if I apply myself, I might get in La Sorbonne."

"The what?" Zander asked.

Ashley grinned. "La Sorbonne. It's a university in Paris."

"Oh," Zander replied.

"You know," Ashley told him. "They have a great music program, too."

"Do they?" he asked interestedly.

Ashley nodded. "I could show on the computer sometime. I mean, it might be cool if we were able to go together."

"Yeah it would," he agreed, pushing his empty plate away. "Ready for me to win you something?"

Ashley grinned. "Are you ready for ME to win YOU something?"

Zander laughed. "If you say so, Malfoy."

Ashley couldn't remember the last time she'd had so much fun. She and Zander played a few games and rode a few of the rides. She ran into her parents a couple of times, of course, but other than that, she and Zander were left alone.

She had to admit she was tired by the time a quarter of ten rolled around and they met back up with her parents.

"Nice teddy bear, Ash," Julie said to her daughter.

"Thanks," Ashley said with a grin. "And I got Zander his dragon."

"Go ahead and tell them how it only took you one try to win it for me," Zander said laughing. "And it took me six tries to get that bear for you."

Ashley hugged it. "So worth it."

"Did you and Professor Malfoy have a good time?" Zander asked Nick as they started their walk home.

"We did," Nick replied with a nod.

"You didn't win anything for me," Julie pointed out.

"I didn't know you wanted a new teddy bear, Jules," Nick said with a saucy grin.

Julie laughed. "I like the one I have, thank you."

Ashley rolled her eyes at Zander.

Zander laughed. "Parents..."

It didn't take them long to reach Zander's place and Ashley was unsure of what to say. Her parents went up to talk to Zander's so they were left alone for a few minutes.

"I had a really good time tonight," Zander said softly.

"Me too," Ashley agreed. "It was a good first date."

Zander stepped closer. "Maybe we'll get to do it again..."

"Hopefully," Ashley said with a nervous smile.

"Do you think it'd be okay if I kissed you good night?" Zander asked.

"I don't know," Ashley looked to the door where all four parents stood. "I mean... I want to, but I just..."

"We probably shouldn't risk it," Zander finished. "It's okay."

"Maybe tomorrow we can sneak away for a little while like today," Ashley said.

Zander grinned. "I'd like that."

"Cool," Ashley squeezed his hand. "Thanks for my bear."

"Thanks for my dragon," Zander said. "I think I'm going to name him 'Malfoy'."

Ashley giggled. "Then I'll name my bear Murray."

Julie and Nick came over to them. "Ready to go, Ash?" Nick asked his daughter.

"Yeah," Ashley said. "Thanks Zander."

"Thanks, Professor Malfoy, Mr. Malfoy," Zander said before turning his attention back to Ashley. "I'll see you tomorrow then?"

Ashley nodded. "I'll ring you after breakfast."

"Good night, Ash," Zander said grinning at her before heading up the walk.

Ashley followed her parents home.

"I think that went very well," Julie said thoughtfully.

"It was fun," Ashley said. "Thanks for letting me go."

"Of course," Julie said putting an arm around her daughter.

Ashley leaned against her mother. "I'm sleepy now though."

"You had a very big day," Nick said.

Ashley nodded. "I swam a lot too."

"You can have a nice lie-in tomorrow," Julie said.

"Unless Grandpa makes breakfast again," Ashley grinned.

"He's supposed to get up early and run with Ron," Nick said.

Julie shook her head. "He's going to kill Uncle Ron."

"I might get up with them tomorrow and make sure that he doesn't go too hard on him," Nick said.

"That would be nice," Julie gazed up at him.

"Ron's the closest thing I have to a real dad," Nick said. "He looked out for me, I should return the favour."

"I'll set the alarm early then," Julie replied.

They arrived back at the beach house. Ashley gave her parents a hug. "Thank you so much for letting me go tonight!"

"We're just glad you handled yourself responsibly," Julie told her.

"And if you never wanted to do it again, we'd be okay with that too," Nick said dryly.

"Nick," Julie nudged him.

"Only joking," Nick said. "Dads are never ready for this."

Ashley gave him a tight hug.

"Love you, Ashley Beth," Nick said.

"I love you too Daddy," Ashley said. "I'll see you both in the morning."

Julie watched as her daughter hurried up the stairs. "She's growing up so fast, Nick."

"Too fast," Nick agreed.

Julie looked at him. "Katie's the one we're going to have a tough time with."

"Going to have a tough time?" Nick smirked. "She's already ten going on twenty."

Julie laughed. "Chiaki says she's Frankie all over again."

"I feel the grey hair coming on," Nick said dramatically.

Julie nudged him. "We have a few years before that happens."

"Good," Nick replied.

"I think it's very sweet that you're going to help Uncle Ron tomorrow," Julie told him on the way upstairs.

"He needs all the help he can get," Nick told her.

Nick grinned at his wife.

Julie squeezed his hand. "Well, one good turn deserves another..."

"Let's hope so." Nick gave her a kiss.

As they passed their daughter's bedroom door, they could hear her telling Saffron all about the evening. Julie wondered how serious this was going to get. Ashley was only 13 years old, but tonight more than anything, made her parents see that she was growing up and there was nothing they could do to stop it.

"I'm beat," Nick said once they were in their own room.

"Not too tired, I hope," Julie grinned closing the door.

"Why Mrs. Malfoy," Nick drawled. "What did you have in mind?"

"You're about to find out," Julie said huskily.

262. Chapter 262 The Guest

Authors’ note: We’re so glad you guys loved the last chapter with Zander/Ashley. They actually weren’t scheduled to get together so soon in our original “outline”, but that chapter kind of wrote itself and they got their way! On another note, we’d like to let you guys know about a very cool “family tree” that Coolman has set up for this universe. If you want, you can ask him to set you up as a character. It’s really cool---not a role-playing game or anything, but just a cool way to interact. You can get set up through the orkut group by replying to the thread “New Online Family Tree”. This is some screenshots that Coolman did for us. Check them out! screenshot #1
screenshot #2

Darla stood in front of the mirror and grimaced. Every outfit she tried on, she felt like a beached whale. She'd avoided the beach the last couple of days because she didn't have the courage to put on a swimming costume.

"It's just dinner with the family," Drew said poking her head in her sister's room. "You're not going to the Ministry ball."

"I know but I look just awful in everything," Darla complained.

"You look gorgeous," Drew said walking into the room. "Here, I'll pick something out for you."

"Thanks," Darla said gratefully.

"You have the cutest maternity clothes," Drew gushed.

"Oh right," Darla rolled her eyes. "Everything should just have a big butt bow on it."

Drew pulled out a dress. "You need an attitude adjustment, Madame."

"I'm no bridezilla," Darla had to smile.

"Absolutely not," Drew said handing her the dress. "You're beautiful, Dar."

"YOU looked gorgeous while pregnant," Darla pointed out. "I, on the other hand, look like I swallowed the Giant Squid."

"You do not!" Drew exclaimed. "Dar, you and I are identical twins. If I looked gorgeous, then you did too."

Darla sighed. "I guess these are those pregnancy hormones I've heard so much about."

"And it will only get worse," Drew warned her.

"Wonderful," Darla said dryly, pulling a brush through her long hair.

"Did HE ring you yet?" Drew asked not even trying to hide her disdain for her sister's husband.

Darla shook her head.

"I'm trying to remember what Mum keeps telling Chloe," Drew said. "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."

Darla stifled a laugh. "Good idea."

"I'm trying," Drew said. She sat down on her sister's bed while Darla went into the loo to change.

"This one doesn't look half bad," Darla called.

"Of course," Drew called back. "I picked it out."

"Maybe you should be a fashion consultant," Darla said.

"If this whole wedding planning thing goes south, I'll have something to fall back on," Drew said.

"Lucky," Darla emerged from the loo.

Drew smiled at her sister. "Beautiful."

Darla pressed her hands to her baby bump. "He's kicking."

Drew stood up and walked over to her sister. "Can I feel?"

"Of course," Darla said.

Drew put her hand on her sister's stomach and smiled. "That's quite a kick, Rafe!"

"Hans would be proud," Darla said softly.

"Well, I for one cannot wait to meet him," Drew said deciding not to say anything about Hans.

"Me either," Darla said.

"Just think," Drew said. "Next summer, he'll be here with us. Lying in his crib...wrapping all the ladies around his little finger."

Darla smiled. "It's exciting, but just a bit terrifying too."

"You're going to be an amazing mummy," Drew said. "And we'll help you any way we can."

"Thanks," Darla hugged her sister. "Let's go eat- I'm starved."

"Me too," Drew said. "Dad's at the grill."

"Perfect," Darla said as she eased her way down the stairs.

"And Nana sent over some lemon pie," Drew said linking her arm in her sister's.

"I had a craving for that... with some pepper jelly," Darla said.

Drew winced. "Darla! That's disgusting!"

"And what about your cravings?" Darla returned. "Peanut butter and apricot jam on pound cake?"

"Looking back on it now, I can't believe I actually ate that," Drew said defensively.

Darla laughed. "I couldn't believe it either."

They stepped out on the deck.

"There she is," RJ teased his sister. "Waddling all along..."

"Shut it Junior," Darla said.

"Yeah," Drew said punching him on the arm. "You don't want to make a pregnant woman mad."

"I'm not scared of you two," he scoffed.

"You should be, faerie boy," Darla muttered, glaring at him.

"That's low," RJ complained.

"Watch it," Darla said pointing at him.

"Okay, okay," RJ said. "Do you want anything to drink?"

"Some lemonade would be nice," Darla said. "Can you add some pumpkin juice to it?"

RJ raised an eyebrow. "Together?"

"Please," Darla grinned at him.

"Gross," RJ mouthed to Drew.

"Just do it!" Darla told him.

Drew laughed. "Dar, go easy on him."

"All right, all right," RJ said. "I'll get your bloody juice."

"Thank you, Junior," Darla said sweetly.

RJ wondered if Audrey would be as batty as his sisters when she got pregnant.

Lizzy walked over to the twins and smiled at them. "How are you feeling, Darla?"

"Starved," Darla replied.

Lizzy laughed. "I remember those days."

"And you were eating for four," Drew added with a grin.

"And it took me forever to lose the weight," Lizzy recalled.

Darla groaned. "Maybe I shouldn't eat."

"You should eat," Lizzy told her firmly.

"Just a little then," Darla relented.

Drew offered to make her sister a plate. Darla thanked her and sat on one of the benches.

"Josh and I invited Liam," Lizzy told her. "I don't know if he'll show up or not."

"Liam's coming?" Drew asked.

Lizzy nodded. "I had to run into the office this morning and I asked if he'd like to stop by for a bite to eat. The poor bloke is getting tired of pub food..."

"I think that's a great idea," Drew said, glancing at her sister.

"I just hope it's not going to be awkward for Darla," Lizzy commented. "They get along so well, though."

"He's good for her," Drew replied.

Lizzy looked at her sister-in-law. "As a friend and a healer, right?"

"Right," Drew nodded.

Darla sipped her lemonade and looked around at her family and friends.

She sighed and rested a hand on her stomach. "Settle down, Rafe."

She was not going to think about Hans, she told herself. He was not here and he wasn't going to be here.

"Here we go," Drew said. "A little of everything so you can mash it together if you want."

"Thanks, Drew," Darla said taking the plate. "It looks delicious."

"I'll meet you over at the table in a minute," Drew said. "I have to get Chloe situated."

Darla nodded and watched as her sister walked away. Drew tried to get to her feet while she was holding the plate and her drink, but found it very difficult.

"No, no... no!" she cried out.

"Need some help?" a male voice asked from behind her.

"Liam!" she said in surprise.

He grinned and took the drink and plate from her. "Here we are..."

"Thank you," Darla said gratefully. "I didn't know you were coming tonight..."

"Lizzy invited me," Liam explained.

"Oh," Darla said as he set her plate down at the table.

"They lured me with promises of good, grilled food and a beautiful view," Liam said.

"Well they were right on both counts," Darla said. "It's a gorgeous night and my dad's at the grill. Whatever he doesn't eat will be delicious."

"It looks great," Liam said looking at her plate.

"Go get yourself some and join me," Darla smiled at him.

Liam grinned back at her. "I'll be right back."

Drew smiled as she sat down next to her husband.

"What are you so happy about?" Brian asked her.

"Just glad to see Darla smiling again," she commented.

"Remember how you said you weren't going to meddle?" Brian gently reminded her.

"Yeah," Chloe said pointing her little finger at her mother. "No metal!"

"I'm not meddling," Drew replied.

"The wheels are already turning in that head of yours," Brian said.

"Wheels turning in Mummy's head?" Chloe looked alarmed.

Brian shook his head. "No, baby. It's an expression. It just means that she's thinking really hard."

"Will I have wheels too?" Chloe asked.

"Maybe," Brian grinned at her.

"No wheels!" Chloe's lip trembled.

"Good job, Brian," Drew muttered.

"Baby, you are the smartest little girl I know," Brian told his daughter. "And you are going to have loads of wheels."

"But they might hurt," Chloe said unhappily.

Brian shook his head. "No, that's a good thing. It means your brain is working really hard."

"No wheels?" Chloe asked. "Promise?"

"Promise," Brian said.

"Kay," Chloe said, digging into her food.

"Good save," Drew whispered.

"I should be used to it," he said ruefully.

Drew nudged him. "She takes things so literally."

"Wonder who she takes after," he said wryly.

Drew laughed and chanced another look in her sister's direction.

Darla was also laughing at something Liam was telling her.

"You are making that up!" Darla exclaimed to Liam.

"I never lie," he told her.

"Yeah right," Darla shook her head.

He had told her a story about his days at University where he'd had to watch a magical surgery. The sight of blood had caused him to pass out and he'd hit his head on the floor.

"It really happened," Liam said. "See this scar above my eyebrow there?"

Darla leaned in and peeked. "Yeah."

"I was teased unmercifully for the next few months," Liam told her.

"I'd have teased you too," Darla told him.

Liam gazed at her. "Darla, say it isn't so!"

"Sorry," Darla grinned. "That's just too good."

Liam chuckled. "It's funny looking back on it now."

"I bet," Darla said, draining her lemonade.

"I promise those days are over," Liam said. "I no longer get squeamish at the sight of blood."

"Good thing, since you'll likely be there for the birth of my guy here," Darla patted her stomach.

"How's he treating you today?" Liam asked.

"He's been pretty active," Darla said. "Lots of kicking."

"Might be that spicy food you're eating," Liam teased her.

"Hardly spicy," Darla replied.

"Your sister mentioned that you've been eating some crazy things," Liam said with a grin. "Quite a combination..."

"I can't help it," Darla said. "I just have these off the wall cravings... and when one hits I HAVE to have it."

Liam laughed. "Well, if you need anything else, I'll be happy to get it for you no matter how disgusting I think it might be."

"This is why you're such a good healer," Darla said with a grin.

"Who's that with Darla?" Hermione asked Luna.

"That's her healer, Liam." Luna replied. "He's partnered with Lizzy at St. Mungos."

Hermione nodded. "It's nice that he could stop by."

"He's helped Darla out quite a bit," Luna told her.

"Any word from Hans?" Hermione asked.

"He rang her yesterday for about three minutes," Luna sighed. "He's my son in law... and I've always given him the benefit of the doubt. But it's been over six months now that he's been in New York and... He just seems to be growing further and further away from her."

"It's such a shame," Hermione said shaking her head. "I can remember how happy they were."

"Ronald never quite took to him, but accepted him because he knew how much Darla loves him." Luna shook her head.

"How did Ron react to all this?" Hermione asked looking over at the redhead at the grill.

"He's not happy with Hans at all," Luna said.

"Well, it's good that Darla's here with everyone that cares about her," Hermione said thoughtfully.

"Exactly," Luna agreed. "And Andrew and Saffron's wedding plans are certainly helping keep her occupied as well."

"I still can't believe my baby is getting married," Hermione said.

"I felt sort of the same way when RJ told me he and Audrey were moving in together," Luna nodded.

"It's hard to let go, isn't it?" Hermione asked her.

"Very," Luna agreed. "And it doesn't get easier with each child. I think it actually gets harder."

"Very," Hermione agreed.

"Ronald, why don't you come sit down and eat?" Luna called out to her husband.

Ron shook his head. "I'm fine with my..."

His voice trailed off as he looked at the salad he'd made for himself. It didn't look remotely appetizing.

"Ronald, if you'd like a burger then eat one," Luna said in exasperation. "Starving yourself is ridiculous."

"I'm not starving myself," Ron said defensively. "This salad is delicious."

Luna gave her husband a look. "Ronald. Eat a burger."

"One burger's okay, Ron," Harry told him.

"Of course YOU'LL tell me that," Ron said.

"I'm not trying to sabotage you," Harry said defensively.

"That's what you say now," Ron began.

Emma tugged on Ron's apron. "Grandpa."

Ron looked down to see the little girl offering him her cheeseburger. "Em..."

"Grandpa eat this," Emma told him.

"But, that's yours, love," Ron protested.

"Share," Emma said.

Ron grinned. "How can I say no to that face?"

"You can't," Emma said matter of factly.

Everyone laughed at that and Ron handed over cooking duties to Seamus. He sat down with his granddaughter.

Darla had watched this and she wiped at her eyes. "That's the sweetest thing, ever."

Liam patted her arm. "It was pretty cute."

"I cry at the drop of a hat these days," Darla admitted. "I'm sorry..."

"Don't apologise," he told her.

"I'm sure you're used to it," Darla said.

"Very much so," Liam grinned. "Can I refill you there?" he indicated her empty glass.

"That'd be great," Darla said. "Thank you, Liam."

"Anything you need, let me know," he said to her.

"Thanks," Darla smiled at him.

Chloe toddled over to her aunt. "Baby kicking?"

"Hey, munchkin," Darla said. "No, he's quiet right now. He might be sleeping."

"But I wanted to feel it," Chloe pouted.

"Well, let's see if we can wake him up, shall we?" Darla asked. She took her niece's hand. "Press down just a little...right there."

Chloe pursed her little lips. "No kicking yet."

Darla laughed. "Just be patient, sweetheart."

Chloe pressed down just a bit harder.

She giggled when she felt a slight kick from the baby. "Sorry, Rafey!"

Darla laughed too, even though she knew she'd likely be up half the night now with a kicking infant. "He knows it's you, precious."

This pleased Chloe to no end and she clapped her hands together. "He's strong, Aunt Dar!"

"Yes he is, baby." Darla agreed.

"Here you are," Liam said handing Darla her glass. "Hello, Chloe."

"Hi," Chloe said shyly.

"Chloe just felt Rafe kicking," Darla told him.

"He's active again, is he?" Liam asked.

Chloe nodded. "Kicked good!"

Liam grinned. "I'll say!"

"I wish he'd come out and play," Chloe said patting Darla's stomach.

"Soon enough, sweetheart," Darla brushed her niece's hair back.

Chloe grinned. "Can't wait."

"You'll be such a good cousin," Darla told her.

"And I spoke with Rafe just the other day," Liam winked at her. "And he said that he couldn't wait to meet you, Chloe."

"He said that?" Chloe asked, blushing a bit.

"Absolutely," Liam told her. "And he appreciates all the help you are giving Darla."

"I like to help," Chloe said.

Liam smiled at her. "That's what Rafe told me."

Chloe giggled.

"Do you have a baby?" Chloe asked Liam.

"Nope," Liam said, putting her on his lap.

"Do you have a girlfriend?" Chloe asked.

Darla laughed. "Chloe, what's with all the questions?"

"I'm curious," Chloe said innocently.

"It's okay," Liam said. "No, Chloe, I do not have a girlfriend."

"Okay," Chloe said.

"Don't let Lizzy and Josh get wind of that," Darla warned him. "They'll try and set you up with every eligible woman in a 50 kilometre radius."

"Then we'll keep that between us," Liam said. "Right Chloe?"

Chloe nodded. "Promise."

"That's a girl," Darla said affectionately.

Drew called out for her daughter.

"I have to go to Mummy," Chloe slid off Liam's lap. "Bye!"

Liam chuckled as she watched the little girl toddle over to Drew and Brian. "She's something else."

"She's just like Emma was at her age." Darla replied.

"And what were you like at that age?" Liam asked.

"Mute," Darla joked.

"Oh, really?" Liam laughed.

"I was so shy back then," Darla leaned back in her chair.

Liam smiled at her. "You came out of your shell."

"So to speak," she agreed.

They finished eating their meal in companionable silence. Someone turned on a radio and a few people started to dance. Darla smiled as she watched her parents dancing together. "That was how they got together, you know?" Darla told Liam.

"Dancing?" Liam asked.

Darla nodded. "They knew each other from school, of course, but nothing really happened until they were working at a resort as dance instructors. Mum was a bit of a free spirit."

Liam smiled. "Both my parents knew each other growing up, went to school together, then got married."

"Do you get to see them often?" Darla asked.

"Not as much as I'd like," he confessed

"You know," Darla said. "You are magical. You could visit them very easily..."

"They're as busy as I am," Liam said. "They're archaeologists."

"Family's very important," Darla said. "You should make time. I don't know what I'd do without mine. They drive me crazy a good bit of the time, but I love them just the same."

"Good point," he nodded.

"They must be really proud of you," Darla said softly.

"I hope so," he said.

Darla smiled at him. "I'm really glad you came here tonight."

"I'm glad I came too," Liam smiled back at her.

"Come on," Darla said standing up.

"What?" he asked.

"I'd like to dance," Darla said. "Come on, Thornhart. Let's see your moves..."

"I do not dance," Liam shook his head.

"Come on," Darla said offering her hand. "I promise I will not make fun of you..."

Liam shook his head again. "I'm afraid I'd trip you."

"That wouldn't happen," Darla said.

"You haven't seen me dance," he told her.

"That bad?" Darla asked.

"Yeah," he said sheepishly.

"Well, I'll let you get away this time, but one day, you will dance with me, Liam Thornhart," Darla told him.

"You think?" he asked.

"I know," Darla said grinning at him. "But, I know something I know you will not say no to."

"What's that?" Liam smiled at her.

"Dessert," Darla said grabbing him by the arm. "You have loads to choose from, but I recommend my nana's lemon pie. I could eat the whole pie myself, but because you've been so great to me, I'd be willing to let you have a small slice."

Liam laughed. "I can do that."

Darla led him over to the table where the desserts were. "Saffy made those chocolate chip biscuits. We should try one of those, too."

"Sounds good to me," Liam replied. "You lead the way."

Alexa, Saffron, Andrew, Gabriel, RJ and Audrey were sitting at a table listening to the music.

"RJ, that's the seventh biscuit you've eaten," Saffron pointed out.

"And here's the eighth," RJ sent her a smartass grin.

"Good thing you made an extra batch," Alexa said to her best friend.

"No kidding," Saffron leaned against Andrew.

"They are really delicious," Audrey said. "I didn't realise you were such a great baker."

"I learned from my dad and my old nanny, Greta." Saffron told her. "I don't get as much of a chance to bake now as I used to."

"Why do you think I'm marrying her?" Andrew said cheekily.

Saffron elbowed him. "You cook up a mean meal too..."

Andrew grimaced. "So, you're saying I'm going to have to cook sometimes, too?"

"Oh you better believe it," Saffron looked at him.

"You can still back out, mate," RJ said.

"Shut it RJ," Saffron glared at him.

"Eat another biscuit," Audrey said putting one in RJ's mouth.

"Nine," he said around a mouthful.

Alexa laughed. "I would love to know where you put it all, RJ. You had four cheeseburgers, a hot dog, two helpings of potato salad, nine biscuits and a piece of Molly's lemon pie..."

"I had to snag that before Darla took the rest," RJ said.

Saffron looked over to where Darla was standing beside Liam. "They certainly look cosy..."

"Yeah well he's been around more than that arse she's married to," RJ grumbled.

"Poor Darla," Alexa said sympathetically.

Saffron looked over at her cousin who as usual, had his nose in a large tome. "Gabe!"

"What?" he asked defensively.

"You read that book all afternoon," Saffron complained. "Talk to us!"

"Sorry," Gabriel said closing the book.

Alexa rubbed his arm. "Warm me up?" she asked.

Gabriel smiled. "Come over here."

She leaned against him and closed her eyes for a moment.

"That's better than a textbook, isn't it?" Saffron asked Gabriel.

"Definitely," Gabriel kissed the side of Alexa's head.

"I shouldn't even talk to you," Saffron teased him. "You're taking away my bestest friend in the whole world..."

"Saffy..." Alexa protested.

"I promise to give her back every now and then," Gabriel told Saffron.

"I'll always be back if you need me," Alexa promised.

"I know," Saffron said smiling at her. "It just feels different."

"I promise to distract you as much as possible," Andrew nuzzled her ear.

Alexa giggled. "Thanks, Andrew."

"This is such a gorgeous night," Audrey said. "RJ... want to go for a walk?"

"Sure," RJ said getting to his feet. He grabbed three biscuits. "You know...for the walk..."

"You're incorrigible," Audrey laughed.

RJ took her hand in his and they set off down the beach. "Are you having fun?" he asked her.

"I love it here," Audrey said.

"I do too," RJ said squeezing her hand.

"And I love you," Audrey gazed at him dreamily. "You've turned me into a fool, Weasley."

RJ grinned. "Have I?"

"A lovesick fool," Audrey wound her arms around him.

RJ gave her a kiss. He was happy that they had this time alone without Becca. Becca had rung Audrey every single day though.

"Mmm..." she said softly. "I've been waiting to get you alone all day."

"Me too," RJ said kissing her again.

"I was thinking," Audrey said. "Later... we could sneak out around midnight or so?"

"What did you have in mind?" RJ asked her.

"I don't know," she grinned.

"You want to raid the icebox?" RJ asked teasingly. "I'm always game for that."

"No," she poked him. "Let's just be spontaneous."

RJ gave her a lazy grin. "I like the way you think."

"Of course you do," she laughed.

He was about to lean in for another kiss when they heard giggling coming from somewhere.

"Shhh!" Katie hissed at Caroline and Mia.

"I think we're being watched," Audrey said dryly.

"Where are they?" RJ whispered in her ear.

"I'm not sure," Audrey replied.

RJ grinned. "Maybe we could have some fun with this..."

"Oh yeah?" she asked.

RJ nodded. "Let's continue walking," he whispered in her ear.

"Okay," Audrey said following his lead.

Mia, Caroline and Katie watched the couple start down the beach again. Katie nudged Caroline. "Come on...let's follow them. And don't giggle!"

"I'll try not to," Caroline promised.

Mia nodded. "Me too."

"Good," Katie motioned for them to follow her.

RJ looked sideways and saw the three girls were now following them. He stifled a laugh.

"What should we do?" Audrey asked.

"Just keep walking," RJ said.

"Okay," Audrey said, hurrying alongside him.

He waited until they had a good lead on the three little girls before he Apparated. Katie, Mia, and Caroline were tiptoeing along behind them. "Where'd they go?" Caroline whispered.

Katie shrugged. "It's too dark! I can't see!"

"Well they have to be here somewhere," Mia said.

RJ reached out from behind them and grabbed Caroline. All three girls screamed.

"Gotcha," RJ laughed.

"Uncle RJ!" Caroline exclaimed, trying to catch her breath. "You scared me to death!"

"Well why were you three following us?" RJ countered.

"We were just curious," Mia admitted.

"About what?" Audrey asked.

"Just cause," Katie said swatting at RJ. "That didn't mean you had to scare us!"

"Yeah well that'll teach you not to spy," RJ told her.

"What should we do with them?" Audrey asked RJ.

"I don't know," RJ said. "Toss them in the ocean?"

Caroline shook her head. "No!"

"Oh yes," RJ moved towards her.

Caroline backed away. "No, Uncle RJ!"

"I think Katie should go in first, actually..." RJ turned.

Katie gasped. "No!"

"We're sorry," Caroline said quickly. "Please don't put us in the water!"

"Come on, RJ," Audrey said putting a hand on his arm. "We could show them mercy..."

"I guess this time," RJ said. "But don't follow us again. Or anyone else, for that matter."

"We promise," Caroline said solemnly.

"All right," RJ said. "You'd better get back to the house."

Caroline looked at him. "You won't tell Mummy and Daddy, will you?"

"Not this time," RJ said.

Caroline hugged him. "Thanks, Uncle RJ."

RJ smiled at her. "See you lot later."

"Thanks, Audrey," Mia said waving at the older girl before she and her friends ran back toward the house.

"Those three," Audrey shook her head.

"I think I can guess the ringleader," RJ said chuckling to himself.

"So where were we?" Audrey asked.

RJ grinned and put his hands on her waist. "I think we were right about here and you were talking about doing something after midnight..."

"Something spontaneous," she agreed.

"Just as long as you don't try and take advantage of me," RJ said.

"I won't need to do that," Audrey grinned at him.

"Really," RJ said nuzzling her neck.

"Because like you said the other night," Audrey said. "I can have you anytime I want."

"Am I that easy?" RJ asked with mock affrontation.

"Never easy," she replied. "Always worth it."

RJ grinned. "I love you, Aud."

"I love you too," Audrey kissed him.

While RJ and Audrey enjoyed their time alone, Liam was talking with Lizzy and Josh.

"Thank you so much for the invite," Liam said to them.

"I'm glad to see you outside of work," Lizzy said. "Eating real food."

Liam laughed. "It was nice to eat something that didn't come in a paper sack."

"Good point," Lizzy said with a grin.

"Sorry you didn't get to see the triple terrors in all their glory," Josh said motioning to where his three children were sleeping on a chaise lounge.

"There will be other times, I'm sure." Liam smiled at the triplets.

"You're welcome here anytime," Josh told him.

"Thanks mate," Liam shook his head. "You lot have been more than hospitable."

"And thanks for taking on the extra hours," Lizzy said. "You know you can ring me here if you need anything, Liam."

"Will do," he promised.

"You're leaving?" Darla asked coming up behind him.

"I have an early start tomorrow," Liam told her.

"Oh," Darla said frowning. "I'll---I'll walk you out."

"That'd be great," he smiled at her.

Darla led him back into the house. She had enjoyed the evening very much and realised that she hadn't thought about her husband.

"Liz mentioned something about having me back soon," Liam told her. "So you may see me again in a few days or so."

"You had better," Darla said. "You know what they say about all work and no play..."

"Makes Liam a dull healer?" he joked.

Darla laughed. "Something like that."

"It was nice seeing you outside the office in a more casual setting," Liam told her.

"It really was," Darla agreed. "I had a really nice time."

"Me too," he said. "Well... I should... get going."

Darla nodded and extended her hand. She felt stupid doing so, but she didn't know what else to do.

Liam smiled and shook it. "See you soon, Darla."

"Good night, Liam," Darla said softly.

She closed and locked the door after him, still gazing out the window as he Apparated away.

"Hello, sweetheart," Luna said coming downstairs.

"Hi Mum," Darla smiled at her mother.

"I just put Adam down," Luna said. "He fell asleep the moment his head hit the pillow."

"Hopefully Rafe will sleep tonight too," Darla said. "Last night he kicked and kicked."

Luna smiled. "You and your sister used to keep me up at night doing the exact same thing."

"Great," Darla groaned. "And the genetics kick in."

"Maybe he'll go easy on you tonight," Luna said patting her on the arm.

"Hopefully," Darla rested a hand on her stomach.

"Are you feeling okay?" Luna asked her.

"Just tired, I guess." Darla replied. "I think I'll go to bed."

"Okay," Luna said. "If you need anything..."

"I'll let you know," Darla nodded.

Luna smiled and touched her daughter's cheek. "I love you, Darla."

"Love you too," Darla said, hugging her mother.

Darla walked upstairs to her bedroom. She checked her voice mail and was disappointed, but not surprised to see that she had no messages.

"Whatever, Hans." she sighed, pulling up on her shirt.

She smiled as she remembered something Liam had said. She had worried that seeing him outside of the patient healer setting might seem odd, but there was no awkwardness between them.

He was becoming such a good friend to her, and it was nice to talk to someone aside from her sister.

It wasn't a secret that her family wasn't too fond of Hans right now. She knew they tried not to say anything bad about him to her face.

"I guess I can't blame them," she said aloud. "He really hasn't been around in months."

When he was here, he seemed so preoccupied, but there were traces of the man she loved still in him.

"Rafe, I wish I knew what to do," she said to her son. "You deserve to know your father, but not the way he is now."

She knew though that she had a great support system in her family. They had all stepped up these last few months and helped her out whenever she needed it.

Rafe kicked out again and Darla put her hand on her stomach.

"I'm going to make sure that you grow up loved and so happy," Darla said softly.

"You are going to have the best of everything, and I'm going to spoil you rotten," she continued after rubbing where his foot kept kicking.

"Your uncles---Josh, Jon, and RJ are going to teach you how to fish," Darla said grinning as she thought of the three of them on the boat with her son. "And then...your Aunt Maddie will tell you the best stories. Your Aunt Drew is going to tell you stories about me, only half of which are true."

Drew knocked on her sister's door. "Dar?"

"Come in," Darla called out.

"Just seeing if you needed anything before we turn in for the night," Drew said.

"Could you sit with me for a moment?" Darla asked.

"Of course," Drew replied.

"Thanks," Darla said moving over so her sister could sit down.

"What's up?" Drew asked.

"Just sitting in here talking to Rafe," Darla admitted, resting her head on her sister's shoulder.

"He's been pretty active this weekend hasn't he?" Drew asked with a grin.

Darla nodded. "Liam said that's normal."

"You two seem pretty chummy," Drew commented.

"He's great," Darla said softly.

"He's a really nice guy," Drew agreed.

"Funny too," Darla said. "He had me in stitches."

"I bet," Drew nudged her.

"What?" Darla asked.

"You hardly left his side all night," Drew said.

"Well, he didn't know anyone," Darla said defensively.

"True," Drew nodded.

"He's been great to me," Darla said. "But, that's all it is."

Drew nodded. "All that matters is that he helps you bring Rafe safely into this world."

"In just a few months," Darla said.

"You're going to love being a mum," Drew assured her.

"I just hope I'm as good at it as you are," Darla said.

"You will be," Drew told her.

"I just wish Hans was---" Darla said, but stopped herself.

"Was what?" Drew asked.

"Here," Darla said.

"I wish he was too, for your sake," Drew replied.

"He's a good man," Darla said. "He's just been blinded by this new life."

Drew nodded, although she had some less than stellar words to say about her brother in law.

"Maybe things would be different if I lived in New York," Darla said thoughtfully.

Drew looked at her in alarm. "You aren't thinking of going, are you?"

"I don't know," Darla said. "But, he's my husband, Drew. This obviously isn't working with things like this..."

"But Dar..." Drew sighed. "I'm sorry. It's your marriage and you deserve to be happy with it."

"I don't know what to do," Darla admitted.

"I think you'll figure it out in time," Drew said softly.

"You think?" Darla asked.

"Definitely," Drew told her.

"How's Chloe?" Darla asked.

"Out like a light," Drew smiled.

"I'm not surprised," Darla giggled. "She was running around at full speed all day."

"I love seeing her with the other kids," Drew said. "She loves the family so much."

"She does," Darla said smiling as she thought of her niece.

"And she is SO excited about Rafe," Drew told her.

"You think?" Darla laughed. "Every time I see her she wants to feel him kick."

"You were sweet to let her do that earlier," Drew said. "I know he finally had quieted down."

"You can't say no to Chloe," Darla said.

"It's pretty impossible," Drew laughed. "She's just like Maddie and Emma."

"With a dash of Brian and you thrown in," Darla said grinning at her sister.

"Right," Drew hugged her sister.

"Thanks, Drew," Darla said.

"I'll always be here for you, Dar." Drew told her.

Darla felt tears welling up in her eyes. "Drew! Now you've gone and done it..."

"Pregnancy hormones," Drew teased.

Darla wiped at her eyes. "Good night with you."

"I'll see you in the morning," Drew said.

"Uncle Harry's making waffles," Darla said happily.

"Then I'm sure everyone will be up at the crack of dawn," Drew replied.

"Me included," Darla said smiling at her sister. "Thanks again for sitting with me, Drew."

"Anytime," Drew said.

Drew closed the door behind her.

Darla turned off the lamp and closed her eyes. She wondered if moving to New York would help her marriage.

It couldn't hurt, she reasoned.

She didn't want to move though until after the baby was born. As emotional as she was at the moment, she couldn't imagine how she'd be like thousands of miles from her family.

"Just till you're born, Rafe." Darla said sleepily.

On the deck, the party was dying down.

Gabriel was sitting with his father and Lavender. Alexa had gone inside for a few moments to help Saffron. Lavender was looking through one of Gabriel's textbooks and grimacing.

"Is that really a BRAIN?" Lavender looked like she might faint.

Gabriel nodded. "Amazing, isn't it?"

"Disgusting, more like!" Lavender closed her eyes.

Gabriel laughed. "Yours looks just like that one."

"I certainly don't need to think about it!" Lavender shuddered.

"You'll eat raw fish, but this grosses you out?" Gabriel teased her.

Lavender gave her stepson a look.

"He has a point," Seamus admitted.

"Sushi is wonderful," Lavender said defensively.

"So is the brain," Gabriel grinned.

"I'm getting nowhere with you two," Lavender waved her hand dismissively.

Seamus laughed. "Come on, love."

"I'll see you two in the morning," Gabriel said.

"Good night, son," Seamus said.

Gabriel watched his parents go back inside and waited for Alexa to finish up.

"Alright, Gabe?" Andrew asked.

"Yeah," Gabriel said. "In a place like this, who couldn't be?"

"Even with your nose stuck in a book," Andrew joked.

"I tend to do that a bit often," Gabriel said sheepishly.

"You have to from what Saffy tells me about your course load," Andrew commented.

"It's pretty harsh this semester," Gabriel said. "I wish it wasn't, since Lexie's moving over there, but I want to get it over with."

Andrew nodded. "More power to you, mate. I couldn't do it."

"I just keep telling myself that someday, I can maybe save someone like I wish I could have saved my mom," Gabriel said wistfully.

"I bet she'd be really proud of how hard you've worked," Andrew commented.

"I hope so," Gabriel replied.

"Your dad sure is," Andrew said. "I heard him singing your praises earlier."

Gabriel grinned. "Yeah?"

Andrew grinned back. "Sure did."

Gabriel smiled to himself.

"Don't tell RJ, but Lexie and I just made an extra batch of biscuits," Saffron said coming outside on the deck carrying a plate.

"Our lips are sealed," Andrew said. "Well, for RJ. I can't wait to dig in."

"Extra chocolate chips," Alexa said sitting down with her boyfriend.

"You know me too well," Gabriel slid his arms around her.

"Tomorrow, if you play your cards right, we might make fudge," Alexa leaned against him.

"Hmmm..." Gabriel said. "Sounds good to me."

"These are fantastic if I do say so myself," Saffron said before popping another biscuit into her mouth.

Andrew nuzzled her neck. "Can I snag one before they're gone?"

Saffron grinned. "Sure..."

"And I'll take a few before you both eat them all," Alexa teased.

Saffron handed her the plate. "We make a good team, Lex."

"Always have," Alexa grinned at her.

"Always will," Saffron grinned back.

Andrew caught Gabriel's eye and rolled his good naturedly.

"What were you two chatting about?" Saffron asked.

"Just schoolwork and stuff," Andrew replied.

"Which you know all about," Saffron teased, nudging Andrew.

"I was telling Gabe better him than me," Andrew joked.

"He's going to be the best doctor," Saffron said grinning at her cousin.

"I hope so," Gabriel replied.

"He is," Alexa said proudly. "And I'll write all about it."

"You'll be a famous doctor and you'll be a famous journalist," Saffron said. "And Andrew and I will be famous Quidditch players. It all works out!"

"You and Andrew are already famous Quidditch players," Alexa said.

"So you just have to catch up," Saffron teased.

"Oh," Alexa laughed. "Is that all?"

"Sure." Saffron said. "Easy as pie."

"You two raised the bar when you went and got engaged," Gabriel teased. "Famous Quidditch players to marry..."

Saffron leaned against Andrew. "He broke a lot of hearts when he gave me this ring."

"Wizard McDreamy," Alexa giggled.

Andrew shook his head. "I'll be glad to give that title up."

"You'll always be my Wizard McDreamy," Saffron said grinning at him.

"That's the only way I like that," Andrew gave her a kiss.

Saffron felt such happiness at that moment. These few days at the beach had been heaven on earth.

"You tired?" Andrew asked her.

"A little," Saffron admitted.

"We could go to bed," Andrew replied.

Saffron nodded. "I just need to say goodnight to my parents."

"Sure," Andrew stood up and offered her his hand.

Saffron took his hand and looked over her shoulder. "Good night, Lexie. Night, Gabe."

"Night Saffy," Alexa said.

"Guess what I heard?" Saffron told Andrew as they went into the house.

"What?" he asked

She told him about Katie, Caroline and Mia following Audrey and RJ on the beach. "Lexie and I heard them whispering about it."

Andrew laughed. "He threatened to throw them in the water?"

Saffron nodded. "I think he was joking..."

"He probably was," he said.

"Just the same, we'd better watch out," Saffron said. "The three of them might start following us."

"True," Andrew said. "Guess I'll have to snog you senseless in our own bedroom."

"I like that idea," Saffron grinned. She and Andrew found her parents in the sitting room.

"We're turning in," Saffron told them.

"All right sweetheart," Hermione smiled.

"I heard a rumour you were making waffles," Andrew said to Harry.

"It's a secret," Harry said.

"Ron?" Andrew guessed.

Harry nodded. "And Emma."

Saffron grinned. "She'll love it, Dad."

"I'll see you in the morning, baby." Harry stood up to give his daughter a hug.

"Good night, Daddy," Saffron said hugging him tightly.

"Night, sir." Andrew said.

Saffron gave her mother a hug. "You and Daddy should go for a walk on the beach."

"Maybe we will," Hermione said.

"It's very romantic," Saffron winked at her.

Hermione laughed. "Subtle, Saffy."

Saffron laughed. "Night, Mum."

Andrew followed her upstairs. "I'm pretty knackered too."

"It's been a long day," Saffron said squeezing his hand.

"But a good one," he smiled at her.

"A great one," Saffron corrected.

"Right," Andrew slid his arms around her.

"I love you, you know?" Saffron asked grinning up at him.

"I love you too," Andrew rested his forehead on hers.

"What do you want to do tomorrow?" Saffron asked him.

"Long as I'm with you, I don't care." Andrew told her.

Saffron kissed him. "Good answer."

It didn't take them long to change and curl up together in bed.

Saffron giggled. "I just realised I'm sleeping with the enemy..."

Andrew chuckled. "Traitor."

"I don't mind," Saffron grinned.

"Well what do you know...?” Andrew said. "I don't mind either."

Saffron gave him a kiss. "You make me so happy."

"Good," Andrew said. "Cause that's the most important thing to me."

"Well," Saffron laughed. "That and giving RJ a hard time."

"That just goes with the territory." Andrew said.

"It's so easy," Saffron said. "And we're both soooooo good at it."

Andrew laughed. "Better than anyone."

"Well, Jon does fairly well at it," Saffron said. "And Audrey can more than hold her own."

"Very true," Andrew wrapped his arms around her.

"And," Saffron grinned at him. "I know something else that we're very, very good at..."

"Tell me more," he nuzzled her ear. "Or show me..."

Saffron gave him a kiss. "There's that..."

"What else?" he asked.

Saffron trailed her hand down his chest. "And there's this..."

Andrew sucked in a sharp breath.

Saffron smiled seductively at him. "That's what I was looking for..."

"Yeah?" he choked out.

"Mmmhmm," Saffron murmured before kissing him.

Andrew slid his hands up her back under her nightshirt.

"Andrew," Saffron whispered closing her eyes.

He skimmed his lips along her neck and she whimpered.

"I love you," Andrew said softly.

"I love you too," Saffron said.

Andrew lifted her nightshirt up and eased it over her head.

"Yes," Saffron said softly.

Andrew tossed it to the floor and Saffron made quick work of getting him out of his boxer shorts.

"There we are," she purred.

Andrew grinned. "Unwrapped?"

"You can say that," she laughed softly.

Andrew positioned himself over her. "I can't tell you how it feels to hear you laugh or see you smile..."

"Like I said," Saffron looked up at him. "You're the reason..."

Andrew kissed her.

Saffron tried to keep her moans quieted so no one would hear them.

"Saffy," Andrew groaned as she arched against him.

"That's it," she said through clenched teeth.

"Merlin," Andrew gasped.

"Andrew," Saffron breathed. "Andrew..."

Andrew kissed her again as he pressed himself against her.

"Harder," she managed.

Andrew put his arms around her waist and pressed further into her.

"Ooooh," she closed her eyes.

Andrew buried his face in her shoulder.

She clutched onto him, digging her nails into his skin.

"Saffy," Andrew managed to choke out.

"Please," Saffron begged.

Andrew kissed her to stifle his own groans as he thrust into her one last time.

Her body rose against his then fell back onto the bed. He collapsed off to her side and offered her a lazy grin.

At first Saffron felt too overcome to say anything. After a moment, she burst into tears.

"Saffy?" Andrew asked, concern etched across his face. "Sweetheart?"

"I'm sorry," she managed, wiping at her eyes. "I don't know what's wrong with me."

"Did I hurt you?" Andrew asked.

"You never hurt me," Saffron sniffled.

"Are you okay?" Andrew said touching her cheek.

She nodded. "I just need a moment."

Andrew was at a loss as to what to do.

Saffron forced a smile to her face. "Really... I'm okay."

"You can tell me..." Andrew started to say.

"I'm okay," she said, feeling better. "I promise."

"Come here," Andrew said.

Saffron went willingly into her fiancé’s arms.

"Everything's going to be fine," Andrew said softly.

"I know," she said.

Andrew held her, unsure of what else to say.

Saffron was quiet for a few moments too. "You know I wouldn't have made it through the last few months without you."

“I'm always going to stand beside you," Andrew said.

"That's why you're so perfect," she said, tearing up again.

"I'm far from perfect, Saffy," Andrew said holding her close.

"But you're perfect to me," Saffron said. "You always have been. Since the very beginning. I could never repay you for all you've done for me."

"You don't have to," Andrew said looking at her. "I love you more than anything in this world, Saffron."

"That's how I feel about you too," Saffron buried her face in his chest.

"We're going to be really happy," Andrew reassured her. "You, me, and whoever else might come along."

"I really want to have your children... someday." Saffron told him.

Andrew smiled. "A little girl with your green eyes..."

"Or a little boy with yours," Saffron countered.

"She or he will be athletic and very smart," Andrew said thoughtfully.

"Of course," Saffron allowed herself to daydream.

"And they'll never want for anything," Andrew said kissing the top of Saffron's head.

"One of the most loved children in the world," Saffron added.

"And she's going to have everyone wrapped around her little finger," Andrew said with a grin.

"Or he," Saffron smiled at him.

"Or both," Andrew tickled her side.

Saffron snuggled against him. "I feel better."

"Good," Andrew said.

Meanwhile, Gabriel and Alexa were still outside, "It's gotten a bit chilly," she said.

"We can go inside," Gabriel suggested.

"But then I don't get you all to myself," Alexa said.

"How about I go and get a blanket then?" Gabriel asked. "We can stay out here."

"Sure," Alexa gave him a kiss. "That sounds great."

Gabriel smiled at her. "Don't go anywhere."

"Won't move a muscle," Alexa promised.

Gabriel walked back into the house which was quiet, except for muffled voices coming from the kitchen. He grabbed a blanket from the sofa and then headed back outside to join his girlfriend.

"Gabriel?" a voice called. "That you?"

"Yeah," Gabriel said turning around.

Seamus came out of the kitchen. "What are you up to?"

"Lexie and I are just sitting outside and talking," Gabriel told him. "How about you?"

"Just having a late night bite to eat before going to bed," Seamus replied.

"Anything good?" Gabriel asked.

"Just some leftovers from dinner," Seamus grinned.

"There were leftovers?" Gabriel laughed.

"Not anymore," Seamus quipped.

"Good night, Dad," Gabriel grinned.

"See you in the morning," Seamus headed back into the kitchen.

Gabriel stepped back onto the deck and held up the blanket. "This should keep you toasty warm."

"And you," Alexa smiled.

Gabriel sat back down on the lounge with her. He pulled the blanket tight around them.

"Much better," Alexa snuggled next to him. "This is as close to perfection as life can get."

"I couldn't agree more," Gabriel said, putting his arms around her.

"I love you, Gabe." Alexa murmured.

"I love you too," Gabriel whispered. "I'm sorry that I haven't been very available to you since we got here. I just have to stay ahead..."

"I understand," she reassured him. "We'll get to spend more time together when I move to California."

"You can keep me company while I study," Gabriel joked.

"Definitely," Alexa said.

He kissed the top of her head again. "I know this is a big step for you. Moving away from your family and friends..."

"But I'll get to be with you and that's all that matters," Alexa told him.

"So Saffy was only joking when she said she was going to make me pay for taking you away from her?" Gabriel asked.

"Oh there's a catch," Alexa teased. "You have to keep me happy."

"Oh, I can do that," Gabriel said with a grin.

Alexa leaned in and kissed him.

"We'll have to make her come and visit a lot," Gabriel said. "Since you're going to be her maid person..."

"Maid of Honour," Alexa poked him.

"Oh, excuse me, Miss O'Leary," Gabriel tickled her side. "Maid of Honour."

"Get it right already," Alexa laughed.

"Does this mean the others have no honour?" Gabriel asked.

"Pretty much," Alexa deadpanned.

"Talking trash about your fellow maids," Gabriel joked, tickling her again.

Alexa laughed. "Gabriel!"

"I'm going to tell every single one of them," Gabriel laughed.

She poked him harder this time. "You better not."

"I'm not afraid of you, O'Leary," Gabriel grinned.

"Well you should be," Alexa teased, grabbing his book.

"Lex, come on," Gabriel said reaching for it.

"Uh," she shook her head.

Gabriel reached for it, but Alexa got up just before he could get to her. "Lexie..."

"Come and get it!" she laughed, backing away.

Gabriel took off after her down the beach.

263. Chapter 263 Flashback

Authors’ note: If you were missing Harry and Hermione, you get a nice flashback of them in this chapter. We hope you enjoy! Also, we would still love it if you wanted to sign up on the geni group--- http://www.geni.com/home. There are still some available characters. If you need help getting set up, just send us a note in the review and we’ll direct you in the right direction!

Just inside the house, Harry was turning out the lights and locking up. He knew Gabriel and Alexa were still outside so he left the lights on the deck on and left that door open.

"Ready to go upstairs?" Hermione asked coming up behind him.

"I'm pretty beat," Harry nodded.

"Make sure to leave the door open for Gabe and Alexa," Hermione said. She watched the younger couple as they ran off down the beach.

"I will," Harry replied.

"Were we ever that young?" Hermione asked.

"Feels like a long time ago," Harry nodded.

Hermione came up behind him and rested her chin on his shoulder.

"You remember that very first time we came here?" Harry asked. "We rented this place..."

Hermione smiled at the memory. "You surprised me."

"I always did like seeing you that way," Harry grinned.

Hermione nudged him. "That's because you very rarely surprise me. I can usually tell when you're up to something. I couldn't tell that day, though."

"That cause I wouldn't say a word," Harry recalled.

Hermione remembered that day very well. She wasn't Minister then and Julie was only a year old. Harry had woken up that morning and told her that they were going somewhere, but had refused to tell her where. Hermione buckled the baby into the car seat and kissed Julie's forehead. "What is your Daddy up to, Jules?"

"Da?" Julie asked her.

"Did you hear that?" Harry chimed in as he sat down in the driver seat. "She said my name AGAIN."

"Please," Hermione rolled her eyes at her husband. "She's just making noise."

Harry turned around and grinned at his daughter. "What's my name, Jules?'

"Da!" Julie crowed.

Harry turned to look at Hermione. "You were saying?"

"Sod off," Hermione returned.

"Can you say 'jealous', Julie?" Harry asked as he started the car.

Julie laughed at him.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah," Hermione said shaking her head. "Why don't you tell me where you're taking my daughter and me?"

"I'm taking OUR daughter and you on a little road trip," Harry replied.

"Road trip?" Hermione asked.

Harry simply smiled.

"Da Da Da," Julie chimed in from the backseat.

Harry sent a sideways grin at his wife.

Hermione could not resist smiling back at him. "She's warming up to say my name."

"Sure," Harry chuckled.

"She is, aren't you, baby?" Hermione asked looking over her shoulder at her daughter.

"Daaaaaaaaaaa!" Julie screamed happily.

Harry chuckled. "She'll say it eventually, Hermione."

"You weren't the one in labour with her for over 20 hours," Hermione told him. "After all that, she says your name first. How is that fair?"

"Because she's a daddy's girl," Harry peeked at his daughter in the mirror. "If we have a son someday, I'm sure he'll talk to you first."

"He'll say your name first, too," Hermione said. "Maybe I'm working too much. Perhaps if I was around more..."

"I wouldn't object to that," Harry squeezed her hand in his.

Hermione smiled at him. "I have the next few weeks off. I'm not even going to think about work."

Harry kissed the back of her hand.

"It would help if I knew where you were taking us," Hermione said looking at him.

"You'll see," Harry replied mysteriously. "Just be patient."

"It's not one of my virtues," Hermione protested.

"Ron-Ron," Julie suddenly said.

Hermione stared at her daughter in horror. "What did she just say?"

"Nothing," Harry lied.

"She said RON-RON!" Hermione nearly shrieked. "She says RON'S name before she says MINE?"

"I didn't hear her say Ron's name," Harry said hastily. "She said---um, Wonton. You know like the soup? I bet she picked that up from the takeaway we ordered...."

Hermione glared at him.

"Wonton," Harry said, nodding.

"Do they serve wontons where we're going?" Hermione asked trying to catch him off guard.

"Maybe," Harry said with a grin.

"You are very, very infuriating," Hermione informed him.

Julie giggled happily from the backseat.

Hermione had to smile at her baby girl. "Are you having fun back there?"

Julie nodded and held out her hand to her mother.

Hermione reached back for it. "I love my girl," she made a face at Julie.

Julie giggled. "Ma-ma."

Hermione gasped.

"I told you," Harry grinned.

"Oh that's my smart girl!" Hermione felt tears well up in her eyes. "Who's my smart little girl, Julie?"

"Me," Julie replied.

"That's right," Hermione smiled.

"You know when I was coaching her, I was coaching your name too," Harry pointed out. "It wasn't completely one-sided. And I don't know where she got Ron's name from. Unless, he's been trying to get something in when I wasn't looking."

"He probably did," Hermione said, although her words were no longer laced in anger.

"So just sit back and enjoy the ride," Harry told her. "We have a ways to go."

"Oh?" Hermione asked.

"No hints, Granger," Harry told her. "You are the brains in our little operation, but I'm not going to let you pull one over on me."

"Just a little hint?" she wheedled.

"No," Harry said firmly.

"You are just infuriating sometimes," Hermione complained.

"Just because I know something you don't?" Harry asked.

"Exactly," she pointed out.

"Okay," Harry said. "I'll give you one small hint."

Hermione bounced excitedly. "What, what?"

Harry thought for a moment. "Well, where we're going..."

"Yes?" Hermione pressed.

"The sun will rise and set," Harry finished, earning himself a punch in the arm from his wife. "Ow, Hermione!"

"You deserved that," Hermione said.

"Just because you didn't like my hint..." Harry said.

Hermione crossed her arms and huffed.

"Okay, okay," Harry said stifling a laugh. He knew his wife so well. She absolutely hated it when she didn't know something. "Jules, what do you say? Should we give your mummy a good hint?"

"DA!" Julie screamed, kicking her legs.

Hermione looked at her husband. "In baby talk that means yes."

"Are you sure about that?" Harry joked.

"Yes," Hermione frowned at him.

"Okay," Harry said. "Where we're going you will see food."

"Harry!" Hermione exclaimed angrily as he began to laugh.

"What happened to the element of surprise, Mrs. Potter?" Harry asked her.

"I never much liked surprises," Hermione pouted.

"You will LOVE this surprise," Harry said confidently.

"Promise?" she asked.

Harry leaned over and gave her a quick kiss on the cheek. "I promise. This is just what you, me and Jules need."

"Okay," Hermione relaxed in her seat.

"In about 30 minutes I'm going to ask you to put this on," Harry said handing her a scarf. "Over your eyes..."

"Honestly--" Hermione began.

"Humour me," Harry interjected. "I planned this for you, Hermione."

Hermione nodded.

Harry grinned. He'd worked very hard to keep this a secret and he wanted to surprise his wife. They both worked very hard and this holiday was just what they needed.

The drive went by quickly and Hermione noticed they were heading south. "Are we almost there yet?"

"Yes," Harry said motioning to the scarf in her lap.

Hermione tied it over her eyes just as he'd asked her to.

In her car seat, Julie was fast asleep. Harry looked over at his wife. "This is killing you, isn't it?"

"Yes," she answered. "But I trust you."

"Good," Harry said as he pulled the car into the drive. "I'm going to get Julie out first, okay?"

"Now you're just torturing me," Hermione said.

Harry opened the car door and unbuckled Julie from her seat. The baby cried, upset that she was woken up. "Shhhh, Julie. It's okay. Daddy's here."

"Da?" Julie asked.

Harry grinned and kissed her soft cheek. "That's right. You ready to surprise Mummy?"

"Mama," Julie wiped at her eyes with her little fist.

Harry carried her over to the passenger side and opened Hermione's door. "Give me your hand, Hermione."

"Okay," she said, reaching for him.

With his free hand, Harry helped Hermione out of the car. "Okay, you can take off your blindfold."

She eagerly untied it and looked up at the house in front of her.

"Mama--" Julie reached for her.

"A house?" Hermione asked.

"A beach house," Harry said. "In Brighton...where you'll see food---as in seafood."

Hermione laughed. "Okay... that was a good clue."

"What do you think?" Harry asked.

"It's a lovely home," Hermione said.

"Wait until you see the inside," Harry said. Julie was still reaching for Hermione and he gingerly handed her over to his wife.

"Okay," she said, taking her daughter. "What's Daddy up to, baby girl?"

Julie tugged on her mother's hair.

"Come on," Harry grinned at her.

Hermione followed him up the steps.

"Here we are," Harry opened the door for her. "Ours for the next two weeks."

"Really?" Hermione asked.

Harry grinned. "Surprise."

"This place is huge," Hermione asked looking around.

"It's rented, but I did a few modifications on it," Harry replied.

"Show-off," Hermione teased.

Harry gave her a kiss.

"You got me," Hermione said smiling at him.

"I love you," Harry replied.

"I love you too," Hermione said softly.

"I'll show you the room I picked for Julie," Harry said. "And the one for us."

Hermione smiled at him. "Okay. Jules, let's go see what room your Daddy picked for you."

"Da," Julie babbled.

"You are definitely a daddy's girl," Hermione laughed as she carried the baby upstairs.

"Here we are," Harry pushed open a door.

He had set up a crib, changing table and a toy chest. The walls were painted very much like Julie's nursery at the cottage. "Harry---"

"Like it?" he asked.

"It's beautiful," Hermione whispered. "Where did you find the time to do all of this?"

"Didn't take me long at all, thanks to magic," Harry told her.

"But still---" Hermione said looking around in amazement.

"Surprise," Harry said. "Remember?"

"Yes," Hermione grinned.

"Let's let her kip," Harry said. "And I'll show you the rest of the house."

Hermione nodded. "Give Daddy a kiss, Julie."

Harry nuzzled Julie's soft cheek.

Hermione wound up the music mobile above the crib. Harry gently set her down. "Sleep well, my angel."

They crept out of the room as Julie drowsily blinked at them before falling back asleep.

"I think she likes it here," Hermione commented.

"I hope you will too," Harry said

"I like it so far," Hermione was saying as he opened another door.

Harry picked her up. "Mrs. Potter..."

"Harry," Hermione laughed.

"This would be our room," Harry said meaningfully.

"That would explain that huge bed over there," Hermione said grinning at him.

"Exactly," Harry said with a wicked smile.

Hermione closed her eyes as he kissed her.

"Come on," he whispered, carrying her to the bed.

"Harry," Hermione whispered.

He laid her carefully on the bed.

Hermione pulled him down with her.

"We haven't had a chance for this in awhile," he said huskily.

Hermione shook her head. "Way too long..."

"We can't let that happen again," Harry told her.

Hermione lifted her head off the pillow to kiss him. "Never again..."

It didn't take Harry long to undress both of them and work Hermione into a frenzy of tangled bed sheets.

"That's one way to christen a new house," Hermione said breathlessly.

"You know," Harry said, brushing his lips over her skin. "This house could be ours if you like it."

"I'm sure it's quite expensive," Hermione said looking at him.

"We can afford it," Harry said.

"Really?" Hermione asked softly.

"We can afford nearly everything we could ever want," Harry told her.

"That's never been important to me," Hermione said. "You know that."

"I know that," Harry said. "Just saying..."

"I would be happy with you in a one room shack," Hermione said touching his cheek.

Harry kissed her palm. "I know, love."

Hermione buried her face in his shoulder. She felt a little like that young girl who had snuck off to see him in his cabin at the resort.

Harry sighed contentedly, running his hand through her hair.

"I can see Julie spending her summers here," Hermione said thoughtfully. "Carrying around a little bucket to build castles with and collecting sea shells."

"What about our other kids that we'll have someday?" Harry asked.

"The doctor said it might be hard for us to conceive again," Hermione said softly.

"We can keep trying," Harry told her.

"But, what if---" Hermione started to say.

"None of those," Harry put a finger over her lips. "We'll have more children when the time is right."

Hermione nodded. "I want that so much."

"Me too," Harry gave her a light kiss.

"Julie is absolutely amazing, isn't she?" Hermione asked looking at him. "I never really knew how much I wanted to be a mum until I held her in my arms for the first time.”

Harry smiled. "Sometimes I just sit and watch her sleep."

"Me, too," Hermione said.

Harry pulled her back into his arms. "We have a great little family, Hermione."

"We do," Hermione agreed. "And I was thinking---"

"Oi!" The couple heard someone shout from downstairs.

Harry groaned. "You've got to be kidding me..."

"Ron?" Hermione asked. "What is he doing here?"

"I told him about the place when I had just rented it," Harry explained, grabbing his jeans.

Downstairs, Luna set her bag down. "Ronald, I don't think anyone's here. Are you sure that this is okay?"

"Sure it is," Ron said breezily. "Harry told me all about the house."

"This house has a nice aura," Luna looked around.

"Sure," Ron said. "I wonder what the kitchen is like--"

"Harry!" Luna exclaimed when she saw him storm downstairs. "This is such a nice---"

"What the hell are you doing here, Ron?" Harry asked.

Ron rolled his eyes as if the answer should have been obvious. "Summer hols, mate. I have two weeks off from the shop..."

"But why are you HERE?" Harry demanded. "I rented this place for Hermione, Jules and me."

"Ronald?" Luna asked. "You said that Harry invited us."

"I TOLD Ron about this place," Harry said. "I didn't ask him to join us."

Luna folded her arms. "Ronald."

"I thought it might be a nice surprise..." Ron ventured lamely.

Hermione came downstairs carrying Julie.

"Ron-Ron!" Julie exclaimed excitedly when she saw him.

"Hey Jules!" Ron brightened

"I'm so sorry to interrupt your holiday, Hermione," Luna said. "Ronald said that we were invited---"

"In Ron talk, telling someone about something apparently means inviting," Harry glared at his best friend.

"You said that we could come down," Ron reminded him. "Remember? You showed me the photo and I said it looked brilliant and you said that Luna and I should drop by."

"Drop by, not stay," Harry looked pointedly at the bags.

"Oh," Ron said sheepishly.

"We're so sorry," Luna said. "Ronald-- let's go--"

Hermione shook her head. "No, Luna. Wait--"

"Stay," Harry said. "You're already here..."

"We wouldn't want to impose," Luna argued. "This is your family holiday."

"If he's offering, then let's stay," Ron hissed at her.

"Ron-Ron!" Julie reached for him.

Ron took his goddaughter into his arms. "You want us to stay Jules?"

Julie cooed happily up at him.

"I think that's a yes." Ron replied.

Hermione squeezed Harry's hand.

Ron looked over at the couple and noticed Hermione's hair and her wrinkled clothes. "I know what you TWO were doing..."

"Ronald," Luna chastised.

"Rabbits," Ron shook his head.

"Shut it," Harry warned him.

"For your information, we were unpacking," Hermione said to Ron.

"Would you show me a spare bedroom?" Luna asked, trying to change the subject. "Whatever one is available."

"Of course," Hermione said. "Ron, can you keep an eye on Julie for me?"

"Sure," Ron said. "We'll just go get something to eat."

"Big surprise," Harry muttered under his breath. He grabbed Ron and Luna's suitcases. He followed the two women upstairs.

"This looks nice," Hermione said, opening a door.

"I really am sorry about this," Luna apologised. "He said that we were invited."

"It's Ron," Hermione said. "We're sort of used to him by now."

"We're happy to have you," Harry said. "Julie is crazy about the two of you."

"And we more than half enough room," Hermione said.

"Thank you," Luna said gratefully.

"Someday maybe you and Ron can bring your sprogs here," Harry said setting the bags down on the bed.

"We've actually started talking about trying," Luna said softly.

Hermione smiled. "Have you?"

Harry grinned at Luna. "You sure you want to dip into his gene pool, Luna?"

Luna nudged him. "Of course I do."

"She and Ron will be great parents," Hermione said. "You see how great they are with Chiaki and Julie."

"I guess," Harry teased, setting the bags down.

"Harry James," Hermione said. "What are we going to do with you?"

Harry sent her a rather wicked grin.

Hermione blushed.

"On that note..." Luna smiled. "Perhaps I'll go join Ronald for a bite to eat."

"We'll be down in a minute," Hermione told her.

"Sounds good," Luna disappeared.

"At least we had a few moments alone," Hermione said to her husband.

"Damn Ron," Harry grumbled.

Hermione put her arms around him. "It's going to be okay."

"I know," Harry gave her a kiss.

"And we can practise for that new baby," Hermione said nuzzling his neck.

"Later tonight," Harry promised.

"And tomorrow," Hermione said pressing herself against him. "And the next day..."

"And the entire time we're here," Harry slid his arms around her.

"You're incorrigible," Hermione said smiling up at him.

"Tell me something I don't know," he whispered in her ear.

"I love you for doing this for Julie and me," Hermione said softly.

"I'll do anything to make you happy," Harry said. "And keep that gorgeous smile on your face."

"I love you," Hermione said.

"Love you too," Harry gave her a quick kiss.

"We should go and check on Julie," Hermione said.

"Sure," Harry agreed.

"And hear her say your name over and over," Hermione joked.

"I like that idea," Harry followed her out of the room.

"You know," Ron said as the two of them entered the kitchen. "You should buy this place, Harry. Then, we can use it every summer."

"We?" Harry asked pointedly.

"Yeah," Ron said oblivious to his friend's tone. "It would be perfect. Though, you really do need to go to the shops and get some more food."

"So I buy the house and the food and you just come and use it all?" Harry asked sarcastically.

Ron nodded. "Works for me."

"Yeah I don't think so," Harry shook his head.

"Ronald," Luna shook her head. "We can't impose like that."

"He invited us," Ron pointed out.

"We'll see," Harry said bluntly.

"Mum and Dad used to say that all the time and that always meant 'no'," Ron grumbled.

"And look at us now," Harry said, jolting Hermione out of her daydream. "Many years and kids later..."

Hermione smiled. "And still in this house."

Harry nuzzled her ear.

"And you're still incorrigible," Hermione whispered.

"And you're still irresistible," Harry told her.

Hermione smiled at him. "How about we continue this upstairs?"

"I like the way you think, Mrs. Potter." Harry said.

Hermione took his hand. "What are you waiting for?"

Harry picked her up in his arms. "Nothing."

Hermione laughed. "Harry!"

"Still light as a feather," Harry replied.

"Oh for Merlin's sake!" Ron exclaimed as he ran into them at the foot of the stairs. "Do you two ever stop?"

"Jealous much?" Harry asked smugly.

Ron shook his head. "Good night, rabbits."

"Night," Hermione laughed as Harry propelled them up the stairs.

"He's like a stray dog," Harry said to his wife.

"Eats everyone out of house and home?" Hermione asked.

"And never goes away," Harry said.

*** *** ***

"Belle?" Emma asked. "Are you here?"

"Yes," Hannah said with a grin.

"Sleeping Beauty," Emma read from her list.

"Here!" Casey raised her little hand.

"Snow White?" Emma looked up. "Snow White! Where are you?"

Sukie raised her little hand. She and Mas were visiting for the day with Chiaki and Toshio.

"You're late, Snow," Emma told her.

Sukie giggled. "No late, Em."

"It's okay, Em." Hannah said. "She couldn't help it."

"Kay," Emma said. "But remember... I'm Princess Ariel now!"

"Oh," Hannah apologised. "Right. Um, and we would like to welcome our newest member, Chloe."

"Princess Jasmine," Emma said. "Since Sissy got bigger."

Chloe beamed at her cousin. "I like that one!"

"Good," Emma grinned. "Now to business... where are the biscuits?"

"Right here, Ariel," Hannah said picking up the plate.

"Good," Emma said. "Everyone gets two."

Casey nodded and was reaching for her own biscuits when she saw that Emma had four in her hand. "Ariel bad!"

"No I'm not," Emma said.

"But---" Casey protested.

"Two for Belle," Emma said quickly.

Hannah took the biscuits. "Thanks, Ariel."

"Be fair," Chloe told her cousin.

"Em is always fair," Emma said looking at her notes.

"Don't mind us blokes, ladies," Jon said as he carried Adam into the sitting room. "We're going out fishing..."

"Fishing!" Adam crowed happily.

"Uncle Jon, Adam looks so cute!" Hannah gushed.

"I know," Adam said, making Jon laugh.

"Em, you want to come and give us a hug?" Jon asked. When he saw the pout on her face, he laughed. "I'm sorry! Princess Ariel, will you please give your royal brother and father a kiss goodbye?"

"I suppose I could," Emma brushed her red hair back.

"Thanks," Jon said shaking his head. He put Adam down and picked up his youngest daughter and spun her around. "I know how to make a princess squeal. Do you know how?"

Emma laughed happily. "No!"

Jon grinned and tickled her. "Like this...."

"What's King Triton doing to Ariel?" Hannah asked the younger members of the princess club.

"Tickling her!" Chloe giggled.

"GO FISHING!" Adam shouted from the floor.

Jon put Emma down. "Your brother has spoken. You be a good girl, Ariel."

"I always am," Emma replied.

Jon gave her a kiss on the cheek. "That's my girl."

"Now!" Adam said.

Jon took Adam's hand and led him out of the house.

"I'm so glad we don't have boys in our club," Emma said as she sat back down.

"No princes," Sukie shook her head.

"Not even Mas?" Hannah teased her.

"Eww," Sukie made a face.

The other princesses giggled at this and then officially started their meeting. In the kitchen, Caroline and Mia were enjoying a snack. Katie was upstairs with Julie reading.

"These are so yummy," Mia said about the biscuits.

Caroline nodded. "My mummy made them for us."

"We'll save a few for Katie when she's done reading," Mia told her.

"Good idea," Caroline said.

Ashley walked into the kitchen and smiled at the younger girls. She was going to meet Zander and go swimming.

"Hi Ash," Caroline piped up. "Want a biscuit?"

"Thanks," Ashley said. "Your mum made them, didn't she?"

Caroline nodded. "The princess club has their share and we're saving a few for Katie."

"I'll warn you," Ashley said as she took a couple of the biscuits. "Katie's not in the best of moods."

"Why?" Mia asked.

"She didn't want to work on this while she's on hols," Ashley told them.

"But she only has to read a little each day," Caroline pointed out.

"That's what I told her," Ashley said grabbing two bottles of water from the icebox. "I'll see you later."

"Bye," Caroline said.

Upstairs, Katie shot her mother a death glare. This book was boring and the weather was too nice to be stuck inside reading. "Can't I finish this later?" Katie pleaded.

"No," Julie said firmly. "You'll finish it now. You haven't bothered to read in two days so your father and I are going to sit here and wait until you're finished."

Katie sighed and turned the page of her book.

"Just finish that chapter," Julie said.

"This is so unfair," Katie grumbled.

"Just read," Nick told her. "You'd be done by now if you had just finished without complaining."

Katie glared at him. Usually, her father was on her side.

"Read," Nick raised his eyebrow.

Katie looked down at the page and tried to remember the reading exercises her tutor had given her.

"Concentrate," she told herself, trying not to let her mind fill with thoughts of sitting on the beach and the ocean. At least Caroline and Mia had told her they'd wait until she was finished before they went out.

With a heavy sigh, Katie grudgingly finished the chapter and did the questions that Maya had set for her to answer. "There," she said tightly. "I'm done. Can I GO now?"

"One moment, Katie," Julie said. "I want you to know that this isn't a punishment. This is something that you have to do. You do so well when you apply yourself. Your dad and I know this isn't easy for you."

"I know," Katie said quickly.

"We're proud of you, Katie Bear," Nick said giving her a hug.

"Thanks," Katie shrugged away. "I want to go outside."

"Go ahead," Julie said. "But, stay near the house."

"Fine," Katie said exasperatedly.

"Ash is already gone, isn't she?" Nick asked.

Julie looked at him. "Don't worry. She said they were just going for a swim."

Katie rolled her eyes as she gathered up her books. She couldn't understand what her sister saw in that boy.

"He's boring," Katie said.

"He's your sister's best friend, Katie," Julie reminded her. "Be nice."

"Whatever," Katie waved her hand. "I have better things to do."

She set off downstairs and passed the little girls who were seemingly drawing their princess club meeting to an end.

To her surprise, Caroline and Mia were sitting in the back of the sitting room watching the littler girls conduct the meeting.

"What are you doing?" Katie whispered.

"Watching," Caroline said. "They're so cute."

"We taught them well," Mia said grinning at Katie.

"Sure," Katie said disinterestedly. "I want to go out to the beach now."

"Wait a few minutes," Caroline said. "I told Em we'd stay."

"I want to go now," Katie repeated.

Caroline and Mia giggled as Emma demonstrated what she was now calling the official "Princess Club Dance."

Katie huffed angrily. "Let's GO, Caroline!"

Caroline looked at her friend. "It's just going to be another five minutes, Katie. Mia and me can meet you outside."

"Whatever," Katie said, as the members of the princess club stopped and looked at her. "It's clear where YOUR priorities lie!"

Caroline and Mia shrugged. They were used to Katie's moods.

Katie stomped out of the door, angrier than she could remember.

Further down the beach, Ashley and Zander had just finished swimming and were sitting on a blanket.

"That felt soooooo good," Ashley shook out her blond hair.

"It did," Zander agreed grinning at her. He still couldn't believe Ashley actually fancied him, too.

"And you're such a goof," Ashley told him.

"Me?" Zander asked nudging her. "How am I a goof?"

"In the water, pulling me under," Ashley nudged him back.

"Pulling you under?" Zander asked. "Oh, you mean, after you grabbed my foot?"

"I did not!" Ashley began to laugh.

Zander reached for her foot. "You did. Just like this..."

"Stop!" Ashley giggled, knowing he knew how ticklish her feet were.

Zander laughed. "I'll stop...if you give me a kiss."

"You only needed to ask," Ashley poked him before leaning in.

Zander did not think kissing Ashley would ever get old. It was the best feeling in the world.

Ashley murmured something deep in her throat as she pressed her lips to Zander's.

He wrapped his arms around her waist.

Katie had been storming away from the house when she saw her sister and stopped short.

Zander looked down at Ashley. "You're beautiful."

She blushed. "Zander..."

"I just wanted to tell you that," Zander said softly.

Ashley leaned in and kissed him again.

"Wouldn't Mum and Dad love to see this?" Katie said gleefully, looking down at her sister and Zander.

Ashley broke away from Zander with a gasp. "Katie! Why are you spying on us?"

"I'm not spying," Katie said still grinning.

"Go away," Ashley said angrily.

Katie started to walk away, but she stopped. She could so use this to her advantage. She knew her parents were concerned about Ashley's age and dating. "I'll go. I'll go back and tell Mummy and Daddy about you and Zander k-i-s-s-i-n-g."

"You wouldn't dare," Ashley stood up.

"I wouldn't," Katie said grinning at her. "If you do something for me..."

Ashley looked at her suspiciously.

"You do all my chores this week," Katie said.

"No way," Ashley replied.

"Fine," Katie said happily. "I'll tell Mummy and Daddy all about you and your---whatever snogging."

"Katie don't you dare!" Ashley stood up and made a move to grab her.

"Are you going to do my chores?" Katie asked.

"Fine," Ashley said grudgingly. "But one week! That's it!"

"For now," Katie said happily.

"Wait a minute--" Ashley began.

"Thank you, Katie," Zander interjected.

Katie smirked at the two of them and sauntered away.

"She's going to lord this over me the entire holiday," Ashley said sitting back down on the blanket.

"Maybe she'll forget about it," Zander tried to reassure her.

"Not Katie," Ashley said. "She lives for things like this."

Zander put a hand on her arm. "What do we do?"

"I'll handle it," Ashley told him. "I'll do what I have to do. Besides, maybe she'll do something and it will cancel out what I've done."

"You sure?" he asked.

Ashley nodded and gave him a kiss on the cheek.

He sent her a smile. "You can do better than that."

Ashley relaxed. "I can, can't I?"

He linked her fingers in his. "Yes."

Ashley looked over her shoulder to make sure no one else was going to come along before she leaned in and kissed Zander.

He exhaled when she pulled away. "Perfect, Ash."

Ashley smiled. "Absolutely."

"You think your parents will let us go out again?" Zander ventured.

Ashley rested her head on his shoulder. "I think so. As long as Katie keeps her mouth shut."

"I hope she does," Zander said doubtfully.

"Me too," Ashley said softly. "You can always keep me company while I wash the dishes and make her bed."

"Sure," he agreed quickly.

Ashley laughed. "I wouldn't make you do that."

"I wouldn't mind," Zander told her.

Ashley smiled at him. "You really must fancy me if you'd be willing to brave Katie's bedroom."

Zander grinned at her.

"But, I'll ask my mum if she'd let us go out again," Ashley said. "Maybe with Aunt Saffy and Andrew."

"Wow," Zander said in awe. "That would be so... so..."

Ashley giggled. "So what?"

"Cool..." Zander finished.

Ashley poked him in the side. "It would be cool and I don't think Aunt Saffy would mind."

"Nice," Zander poked her back.

Ashley grabbed him by the hand and pulled him to his feet. They ran back toward the water and just missed Brittany who was trying to lose Lucy. The girl had caught up to her on her way to the beach and no matter how brisk Brittany was with her, Lucy didn't seem to get a hint.

"I can't believe your parents let you wear makeup," Lucy was babbling to Brittany. "I wish mine would let me..."

"I've been wearing makeup since I was nine," Brittany answered in a bored tone.

"Wow," Lucy gushed. "That's really cool. My parents think it's a little too much for someone our age, but I don't really think so..."

"You know you really don't have to follow me," Brittany told her. "I'm sure you have loads to do..."

"I was sort of hoping to run into Zander," Lucy said, her tone almost pleading.

Brittany rolled her eyes. "He's in the water with Ashley. See?"

"He's so cute, Brit." Lucy said.

"He's SO taken," Brittany corrected her.

Lucy stared at her. "Taken?"

"He's with Ashley," Brittany said. "My best friend. The blonde girl you met the other day? The one Zander's told you about thousands of times? Ringing any bells, Lucy?"

"But he told me they were just friends," Lucy said.

Brittany sighed. "They were, but things have changed."

"Yeah but..." Lucy stared at the two figures out in the water.

Brittany looked sympathetically at the other girl. "He's really happy, Lucy."

Lucy didn't say anything, only dug her finger into the sand and swirled it around.

Brittany waved at her two friends. A few moments later, Zander and Ashley joined Lucy and Brittany on the shore.

"How's the water?" Brittany asked.

"Great," Ashley said. "You should go in, Brit.:

Brittany's nose scrunched up in disgust. "No way!"

Zander kicked water at her as a wave came ashore.

"Zander!" Brittany exclaimed dropping her bag and taking off after him. "I'm going to get you for that!"

Ashley laughed as she watched her two friends.

She picked up Brittany's bag and headed back for the towels.

Lucy reluctantly followed her. "You and Zander looked like you were having fun."

"What?" Ashley spun around. "Oh... hi um... Lucy right?"

Lucy nodded. "And you're Ashley."

"Right," Ashley set the bag down and sat on her towel.

"He's really great," Lucy said sitting down. "I've always thought so."

"Zander?" Ashley asked. "Yeah... he's my best friend."

"I've known him a lot longer," Lucy bragged. "Since we were kids."

"That's nice," Ashley replied, unsure of what to say.

"You're just friends though, right?" Lucy asked, hoping that what Brittany had told her was wrong.

"Um..." Ashley hedged. "Kind of..."

Lucy smiled in relief. "I knew that's all it was."

"We went out just once," Ashley told her. "A few nights ago."

Lucy did not seem to hear her and she took off after Zander and Brittany.

Ashley stared after the other girl. She wondered why Lucy had felt the need to remind her of how long she had known Zander.

She decided not to worry about it. Obviously Zander fancied her and not this other girl Lucy.

What she had to worry about now was making sure her little sister kept her mouth shut.

"Darn it Katie," she muttered. Why did her little sister have to be so impossible?"

There were some times when Ashley felt that she and Katie understood each other and then there were other times when Katie frustrated her beyond belief. Katie only saw things in black and white. She only seemed to care how things affected her.

No doubt she would milk this for all it was worth. Ashley wondered just how long she would let it hang over her head.

Ashley looked up just in time to see Brittany stalking toward the towels. She was soaking wet and did not look at all happy.

"I HATE Zander!" she shrieked, pulling at her hair.

Ashley stifled a laugh. "He got you, did he?"

"Jerk," Brittany replied.

"I happen to fancy that jerk," Ashley said handing her friend a towel. "Watch what you say."

"I don't get it," Brittany began towelling her hair off.

"He's just having fun," Ashley said in his defence.

"Whatever," Brittany said. "You got rid of Lucy, at least."

"She's the least of my concerns," Ashley commented. She told Brittany about Katie.

"She's blackmailing you?" Brittany asked. "Wow... maybe I should talk to her?"

"She might listen to you," Ashley said thoughtfully.

"I'll try anything to help you out," Brittany said.

Ashley smiled at her friend. "Thanks, Brit."

"For now..." Brittany stretched out on the towel. "It's time to tan."

Ashley laughed. "Priorities."

"Of course," Brittany replied. "This is heaven."

Zander came up behind Ashley and put his hand on her shoulder. Ashley turned to smile at him. "Hi."

"Hey," Zander said, laughing when he saw his cousin stretched out.

"Shut it, Zander," Brittany warned.

"Where's um... that girl Lucy?" Ashley asked. "She went looking for you."

"She found me," Zander told her.

"What did she want now?" Brittany moaned.

"She wanted to know if I wanted to go fishing later," Zander said.

"Oh please," Brittany said. "She's as city as I am. She would HATE fishing."

Zander grinned at his cousin. "No one is as CITY as you are, Brit."

"Duh," Brittany replied.

"Well, it doesn't matter," Zander said. "I'm spending all day with someone else. She's better than some old smelly fish."

"Gee thanks," Ashley said dryly.

Zander turned red. "I didn't mean that like it sounded."

"Smooth," Brittany told her cousin.

"I'm new at all this," Zander said.

"Same here," Ashley said. "You're doing fine."

"Smelly fish," Brittany giggled. "I'm gonna tell that to Evan."

"Oh Evan," Zander said in a high pitched voice. "You smell like fish!"

Brittany opened her eyes and glared at him. "You are soooooo lucky we can't use magic out of school, Zander Murray."

"What would you do?" Zander challenged.

"You don't even want to know," Brittany retorted. "Get out of the way. You're blocking the rays."

Zander rolled his eyes at Ashley.

Ashley laughed, taking comfort in the fact that she had her two best friends here. She and Zander were doing great so far and if Katie kept her mouth shut nothing would change.

264. Chapter 264 Ron's Trip

Authors’ note: We’re so glad you liked the flashback. We have a few of those planned in the near future as well (they feature Hermione/Harry!). But, for now, you get Darla/Hans with Jon and Ron thrown in for good measure and of course the Princess Club!

Back at the beach house, Darla was sitting on her bed trying to read. She'd spent most of the morning alone trying to think about what she should do. She'd told Drew that she was considering moving to New York, but Darla wondered if she could ever do that.

She didn't want her marriage to end, not by any means. She loved her husband and she really thought if they could compromise they could make everything work out.

There was a knock on her door. Darla wiped quickly at her eyes. "Come in."

Ron opened the door. He was carrying a glass of orange juice. "Hey, sweetheart."

"Hi Dad," Darla smiled.

"Thought you might be thirsty," Ron said handing her the glass.

"I am, a bit." Darla said. "Thanks."

Ron saw his daughter's red eyes and he sighed. "You've been crying."

"I miss him, Dad." Darla admitted.

Ron sat down on the edge of her bed. "I know you do, love."

"I don't know why he won't call," Darla whispered.

Drew had told Ron that Darla had left her husband voice mail messages, but so far he hadn't returned her calls. As the days went by, Ron found it harder to keep his mouth shut where his son-in-law was concerned.

"I know you all don't really like him--" Darla began.

"That's not true," Ron interjected. "We just don't like how he's treated you these last few months, Darla."

"But you don't see him when we're alone," Darla said. "He's so sweet and loving... and he's so excited about Rafe."

"Having a child can change the way you look at things," Ron said diplomatically.

"I'd hoped this would make him settle back here..." Darla sighed. "Or... I was thinking of making the move over there."

"You want to move to the states?" Ron asked taken aback.

"I was thinking about it," Darla admitted softly.

Ron did not like the idea of any of his children moving that far away, but if that is what Darla wanted to do, he'd support her.

"I just don't know..." Darla said. "I don't want to move over there and still never see him."

"You need to do what is best for you and your son," Ron told her.

"I'm trying," Darla said quietly.

"Get some rest," Ron said kissing her on the cheek.

"Thanks for the juice," Darla said.

"You're welcome, love," Ron said. He closed the blinds so his daughter could take a kip. He closed the door behind him and took off downstairs. At times like this, he really hated his son-in-law.

As he was entering the kitchen, he ran into Jon who was making a sandwich.

"For Em," Jon said dryly. "My little girl never stops eating..."

"Don't ever let her get married," Ron grumbled.

Jon looked properly at his father. "What?"

"Don't ever let her or Caroline get married," Ron repeated. "Stupid bloody Hans..."

"What did he do now?" Jon asked.

"Or rather... what didn't he do?"

"Darla's thinking of moving to New York," Ron told his son.

"What?" Jon asked incredulously. "But I thought... I thought she told Drew..."

"She doesn't really know what she wants to do," Ron said leaning against the counter. "I'm----I'm going to go and knock some sense into him."

"You're going to New York?" Jon asked. "Dad--"

"Tell your mum I'll be back," Ron said distractedly.

Jon looked incredulously at his father. He knew that if he let his father go off on his own like this, he'd get into trouble. "Hang on. Let me give this sandwich to Em and I'll go with you."

"No--" Ron began but his son held up his hand.

"Mum would kill me if I let you go by yourself," Jon said.

"Fine," Ron said.

Jon picked up the plate and carried it outside to where his wife and Emma were sitting.

"Daddy!" Emma exclaimed happily. "That's a good sammich!"

"Thanks baby," Jon said. "It's all for you."

Emma beamed at him. "Thanks!"

"Al," Jon said. "I'm going to go out for a bit with Dad."

"Okay," Allison said. "To the boardwalk?"

"Not exactly," Jon hedged. "We're going a lot further than that."

Allison looked at him questioningly.

"I'll explain when we get back," Jon promised. "If you see my mum just tell her Dad and I went into town."

"Okay..." Allison replied. "Promise you'll fill me in?"

Jon nodded and leaned in and gave her a kiss. He looked at his youngest daughter. "Em, you're in charge. You take care of your mum for me."

Emma giggled. "Okay!"

Jon hurried back inside.

"Ready?" he asked his father.

"Yeah," Ron replied.

"Do you even know where we're going exactly?" Jon asked his father.

"I was just going to picture Times Square," Ron thought of the famous street he'd seen in films and pictures.

"It's two here," Jon said looking at his watch. "That makes it about seven in New York."

"In the morning?" Ron asked. "Shite..."

Jon shook his head. "No---no---seven in the evening."

"We could put this off," Jon said. "But, then again, they do say that's the city that never sleeps."

"Okay," Ron said. "Maybe if that bastard is sleeping we'll have a better chance of finding him."

Jon just hoped for Hans' sake that the bastard was sleeping alone.

"Okay," Jon said, hoping against hope that they wouldn't be noticed appearing in the middle of Times Square.

Ron tried to focus as he prepared to Apparate.

Jon grasped onto his father and they both disapparated.

It took awhile to pass through all the apparition points, but they finally arrived in Times Square. Jon had never been to the states before and he couldn't help looking up at the lights and tall buildings in awe.

Ron took a deep breath. "Smell that food..."

"This place is this busy at seven in the morning?" Jon asked.

"Apparently," Ron closed his eyes. "There's a bakery nearby..."

"You're like a bloodhound," Jon said to him.

"I can't help it," Ron replied.

"Focus, Dad," Jon said grabbing him by the arm. "We're here for Hans."

"Oh yeah," Ron replied glumly, staring longingly into the foggy windows of a bistro.

"If we have time, we'll grab something," Jon told him.

"That sounds good to me," Ron said.

Jon looked around. "Or maybe not...I left my wallet back at the house. I don't have any money."

"I have some," Ron said. "Harry and I were out this morning- I have some quid, but we'll have to change it to the Muggle American money."

"Hans lives on Park Avenue, right?" Jon asked.

"Yeah," Ron nodded, glancing at the slip of parchment he'd grabbed before leaving the beach house.

Jon asked a passer-by for directions. Luckily, it was within walking distance.

"Just down this way and a few streets over," Jon told his father.

They passed a diner along the way and Ron couldn't help stopping in his tracks. "Bacon..."

"Dad," Jon said exasperatedly.

"Right," Ron said breaking out of his reverie. "Let's go."

They crossed over to Park Avenue rather quickly and Jon groaned when Ron caught sight of a cart on the corner.

"Hot dogs!" Ron exclaimed. "Right here on the street?"

"Hey, buddy!" the vendor exclaimed. "You want one or what?"

Jon pulled on his father's arm. "Not now, Dad. We can stop by before we leave..."

"Mate, you're not going anywhere, are you?" Ron asked the vendor. "I mean, if I come out, you'll be here, right?"

"All day long, buddy," the vendor said.

Ron grinned. "I'll be back!"

Jon yanked on his father's arm. "Hans lives up there."

"Right," Ron said as they approached the building.

"Can I help you?" the doorman asked.

"We're looking for Hans Feinbach," Jon told him.

"Is Mr. Feinbach expecting you?" the doorman asked.

"Not exactly," Jon replied.

"Look, we've had some problems with crazy fans coming up here," the doorman told them.

"We aren't fans of his, trust me," Jon told him. "He's my brother in law."

The doorman looked uncertainly at him. But, he pushed a button on the intercom. It took awhile, but finally, they heard Hans' familiar voice calling back.

"Mr. Feinbach," the doorman said. "Sorry to disturb you. There are some gentlemen here to see you."

"Who?" Hans asked.

The doorman looked at Jon and Ron.

"Jon Weasley," Jon told him.

The doorman told Hans and a moment later, ushered them in. "Penthouse," he told him. "He'll buzz you in once you get up there."

"Thanks," Jon said. He led the way inside. "Dad, remember. We're not going to do anything irrational, right?"

"I'm fine," Ron held his hands up.

They took the elevator up to the penthouse and rang the bell.

It took a long moment, but they heard the buzz that allowed them into the hallway that led to the penthouse.

Hans opened the door. He looked like he had just gotten out of bed. "Is everything okay with Darla?" Hans asked, thinking that could be the only reason they were here. "The baby?"

"Shouldn't you know?" Jon asked in place of a greeting.

"No, he wouldn't," Ron said shortly. "He hasn't returned any of her phone calls."

Hans sighed. "Come on inside."

Jon pushed past him and gazed at Hans's penthouse. He tried hard not to look impressed and had a feeling his father was doing the same.

"Can I get you anything to drink?" Hans asked.

"No," Jon replied shortly.

"Okay," Hans said wiping sleepily at his eyes. "Sorry---I didn't get in until late."

"Why haven't you called Darla?" Ron asked point blank.

"Is she okay?" Hans asked again. "There's nothing wrong with Rafe is there?"

Jon looked at him. "If you cared, wouldn't you have called?"

"I've been on photo shoots all week," Hans explained. "Last night is the first night I've been home in almost two weeks."

"She misses you," Ron told him. "That's how she is."

"I'm sorry--" Hans began to apologise.

"She doesn't know we're here," Jon said. "She'd kill us if she knew."

Hans sighed. "Look--"

Ron stood up and got in Hans' face. "No, you look. You have a wife and a son. She's actually thinking of moving here to be with you, but she's afraid if she does, you'll still act like this way."

"Darla wants to move here?" Hans asked in shock.

"If it would mean saving your marriage, yes," Ron told him.

"Wow..." Hans shook his head. "I mean... I hoped she'd want to but I didn't think she ever would."

Ron looked at him. "You and I haven't always seen eye to eye, Hans. I don't really understand what it is you do, but my daughter loves you, so I accepted that and I tried to get to know you. I welcomed you into my family."

"I know," Hans said uncomfortably. "And I love Darla."

"What's going to happen after Rafe's born?" Jon asked him.

"If she moves here, things will be perfect," Hans said.

Ron was not so sure that would be the case. "If you don't do something, you're going to lose her."

"Lose her?" Hans asked. "What are you talking about? I'll call her right now and things will be okay."

Ron looked at him. "What are you waiting for?"

"You want me to call her right in front of you?" Hans asked.

Jon looked at Ron. "Come on, Dad. We'll go and grab something from the kitchen. I'm sure Hans wouldn't mind. Right, Hans?"

Hans shook his head. "Help yourself."

Hans sat down on the sofa and looked at the telephone.

He picked it up, taking his time dialling his wife's mobile number.

"Hello?" Darla answered sleepily.

"Hey baby," Hans said. "Did I wake you?"

"Hans," Darla said in surprise. "Yeah...I was just kipping."

"I'm sorry," Hans said. He didn't mention her father and brother, choosing instead to say he'd been out of town.

"How are you?" Darla asked.

"Busy," Hans said. "I just got your messages- I haven't been home in almost two weeks."

"Oh," Darla said quietly.

"I miss you," Hans said.

"I miss you too," Darla said. "And so does Rafe."

"How is our little guy?" Hans asked.

"Pretty active," Darla said. "Hans... is there any way you can come home? Even for a day or so?"

"Of course," Hans told her. "I have some time off coming up."

"You do?" Darla brightened. "Really, Hans?"

"I want to see you," Hans said. "We can even start shopping for the nursery."

Darla began to cry.

"Darla?" Hans asked. "Love..."

"I'm sorry," she said. "I'm just so emotional these days..."

"You don't have to apologise," Hans said feeling a pang of guilt. "You've done nothing wrong, Darla. I love you, baby."

"I love you too," she sobbed. "I wish you were here."

"Let me check in with Freddy and I'll be there in a couple of hours," Hans promised.

"Thank you," Darla said happily. "Hans, this will be so great!"

"It will," Hans said softly. "I love you."

"I love you too," Darla said. "Hurry as quick as you can."

"I will," Hans promised.

"See you soon," Darla said softly.

Hans hung up the phone and walked into the kitchen where his brother-in-law and father-in-law were eating.

"Who's Katya?" Jon asked him.

"What?" Hans asked, startled.

"She called you on your mobile," Jon said. "I saw her name on the screen."

"I work with her," Hans replied. "She's part of the same campaign as me."

"Oh," Jon said, nodding.

Hans shoved his mobile into a stack of mail on the counter. "I have to talk to my agent, but I think I'll be able to go back for a few days to see Dar."

"Good," Ron said studying his son-in-law. "You have a really nice place here, Hans."

"Thanks," Hans yawned.

"Al would love this kitchen," Jon said. "I think it's bigger than our house, actually."

"I guess," Hans shrugged. "I'm not in it much. We usually eat out."

"We?" Ron asked.

"Me and Freddy," Hans said. "Or sometimes I go out with Michaela and Kyle."

Ron did not know who those people were. He figured they were models like Hans. Ron really did not understand this type of world.

Hans jabbed at the buttons on his coffeemaker. "Bloody thing," he grumbled.

"Grandpa would love that thing, wouldn't he?" Jon asked Ron.

"Oh yeah," Ron nodded. "Dad would be on cloud nine."

The buzzer went off and Hans sighed. Who else could be here? All he needed was for Drew to be standing outside the door ready to punch his lights out.

"Yeah?" Hans asked pressing the button.

"Miss Bourne is here to see you," the doorman answered back. Hans heard Katya's laughter in the background.

"Fuck," Hans muttered under his breath. "I'll be down in a moment."

"Everything alright?" Ron asked.

"Fine," Hans said. "I have to go down and take care of something really quick."

He didn't give them a chance to respond before he hurried out of the penthouse.

He rushed downstairs. "Katya what are you doing here?"

"You didn't answer your phone," Katya purred. "So, I decided to come and wake you up myself."

"It's half past seven," he pointed out. "Katya, I'm busy. And I told you, nothing's going to happen between us."

"Can't a friend come over and take another friend to breakfast?" Katya asked innocently.

"No," he said sharply. "I'm busy, I told you. After I call Freddy, I'm going to England to spend a few days with Dar."

"Playing happy family?" Katya asked sarcastically.

"She's having my son," Hans told her.

Katya waved her hand dismissively. "Let's go upstairs. I can make you breakfast."

"NO!" Hans said angrily. "Do you understand what that word means?"

"I never take no for an answer," Katya smiled at him. She stepped past him and pushed the button for the lift.

Hans grabbed her arm. "My father in law and brother in law are up there- which means you aren't going to be."

"Ooooh," Katya grinned.

"Go," Hans told her.

"Fine, fine," Katya said leaning in to kiss him on the cheek.

Hans pulled away.

"See you later," Katya said before sauntering out.

Hans sighed. He wondered what he'd ever seen in her.

Hans took the lift back upstairs and was relieved to see that Jon and Ron looked as if they were getting ready to leave.

"I still have to call my agent," Hans said. "But I'll be over soon as I hear from him."

"Darla's going to be over the moon," Ron told him. "You're doing the right thing, Hans."

"I want to be there for her and my son," Hans said. "I'll be there soon as I can."

"We'll see you soon," Jon said clapping him on the back. "And---don't tell her we were here."

"I won't," Hans promised.

"Hans," Ron said. "Would you mind lending your old father-in-law some Muggle money? I want to buy some hotdogs..."

Hans chuckled. "Sure..." he reached for his wallet and handed Ron a hundred dollar bill.

"Whoa," Jon exclaimed.

"I don't have anything smaller," Hans said apologetically. "If you go to the bakery on the corner they'll be able to give you change."

"I'll pay you back," Ron promised.

"Dad, aren't you on some sort of diet?" Jon reminded him.

Ron gave his son a pained look.

"Your secret is safe with me," Jon said with a grin.

"That's my boy," Ron relaxed.

Hans laughed. "You can't come to New York and not eat, Ron."

"Exactly," Ron said. "And I plan on taking this opportunity and using it to my advantage."

"I was thinking I'd bring Darla something from the bakery too," Hans said thoughtfully.

"She'd probably love that," Jon told him.

"She is doing okay, isn't she?" Hans asked. "Really?"

"She's been keeping quiet," Jon told him.

"She does that when she's sad," Hans said feeling guilty.

"I know," Jon replied, but tried to keep the sharp tone out of his voice.

"Well," Hans said. "Those days are over."

"Good," Jon told him. "We'll see you in a few hours then."

"Absolutely," Hans said. He couldn't stop smiling as he thought of Darla living here with him. He knew she would come around sooner or later.

His in laws disappeared and Hans grabbed his mobile out and rang Freddy to tell him he was heading out for a few days.

Downstairs, Ron made a beeline for the bakery Hans had told them about.

"Dad, how are you going to explain this to Mum when we get back?" Jon asked him.

"Explain what?" Ron asked.

"Bringing back all these baked goods," Jon replied. He looked at the display case and felt his own mouth water. "Is that----éclairs?"

"Who said we're bringing anything back?" Ron asked wickedly.

Jon nodded. "That's---that's probably a good idea."

"What can I get you?" the woman behind the counter asked Ron.

"Four of those," Ron pointed to the éclairs. "Three chocolate croissants.... two cherry cobbler slices- no make that four of those..."

"Oh, are you having a party?" the woman asked.

Jon shook his head. "No, this is just for us. Can we have some of those chocolate chip muffins, too? Three for my dad and three for me."

"I beg your pardon?" the woman asked. "All... for you?"

"That's just to start, sweetheart," Ron said with a grin.

They spent nearly the entire hundred dollars Hans had given them- saving just enough to stop for hot dogs from the vendor they'd passed earlier.

"We'll just keep this from Harry, too," Ron said to his son.

"And from Maddie and Emma," Jon said.

"We'll bring them back here someday," Ron nodded.

"Sure," Jon replied with his mouth full.

"I still think Hans is hiding something," Ron said thoughtfully.

"Like what?" Jon started on his second hot dog.

"I don't know," Ron said. "But if he hurts my little girl again, I'll make sure he regrets it."

"I'll be right behind you," Jon told him.

"Thanks for coming with me today, Jonathan," Ron said. "I'm glad you did."

"Had to," Jon replied. "Who knows what you would have done here by yourself."

Ron smiled. "I probably would have gotten arrested and THAT would have been hard to explain to Luna."

"Harder than half a bakery in your stomach?" Jon joked.

Ron laughed. "You have the other half in yours, son."

"And it feels great," Jon answered.

Ron patted his stomach. "I've missed eating."

"Why are you on this stupid diet?" Jon asked. "You don't need to lose weight."

"I wanted to get back to the weight I was when I left Hogwarts," Ron said.

"Dad, I'm not even at the weight I was when I was at Hogwarts," Jon pointed out.

"You're not best mates with the wizarding world's Superman, though, are you?" Ron asked him.

"Yeah but you aren't in a competition with him," Jon pointed out.

"Sometimes, I feel like I am," Ron confessed. "Everything comes so easily for him."

"Dad he just went through one of the worst years of his life," Jon pointed out.

"I know," Ron said feeling guilty for thinking that way.

"He's who he is, and you are who you are," Jon said. "And for what it's worth, I'd take you for my dad any day of the week."

Ron grinned. "Thanks, Jon."

"Come on," Jon said. "We have a few dollars left. Let's go see if we can get one of those nut vendors eh?"

"Ooooh," Ron said excitedly. "I forgot about those!"

"Still have some room there?" Jon asked.

Ron grinned. "I ALWAYS have room."

While the Weasleys headed off for more food, Hans was busy arguing with his agent. "I just need a few days," he said. "What's wrong with wanting to be with my wife?"

"We have you booked on two talk shows," Freddy argued. "Not to mention that print ad that shoots tomorrow."

Hans sighed. "I told you that you had to let me know of this stuff in advance."

"Look," Freddy finally said. "You'll have a few days free at the end of the week."

"I'll stay in town tomorrow," Hans told him. "For the shoot. But I can do the talk shows remotely."

"Hans," Freddy started to argue.

"No," Hans said. "I need to go be with my wife. And I need to get away from Katya. She won't leave me be."

"She's harmless," Freddy said dismissively.

"Harmless as a dragon," Hans replied.

Hans could hear Freddy shuffling papers around on the other end of the phone. "Hans, I can give you two days. I can reschedule the print ad and the talk shows, but you need to be back as soon as possible."

"Fine," Hans told him quickly.

"Leave your phone on," Freddy warned just before Hans hung up.

Hans quickly packed a bag, tossing in only what he needed. He hoped Darla wouldn't mind he was only going to be in Brighton for a few days and perhaps would even come back here with him.

He could just see the two of them pushing a pram in Central Park. He could picture the two of them painting the town red. Though, truth be told, his wife had never been one for parties.

That was okay, though. He could still go and just not stay out so late.

He was still worried about Katya. She was going to be trouble. He regretted ever doing anything with her.

At least it hadn't gone further than a few kisses.

His place was with Darla and his son. He knew that now. There had to be some way to live out his dream and have a family.

He finished his packing and stuffed his mobile into his bag before making sure he hadn't forgotten anything then used his wand to Apparate.

Drew had convinced Darla to come downstairs for a snack. "My nephew is hungry," Drew was telling her sister. "He will not be denied."

"How do you know?" Darla yawned.

"He's half Weasley," Drew replied with a grin.

"I know but he also makes me tired," Darla complained.

They heard a pop come from downstairs and Drew groaned. "I swear RJ is really starting to get on my nerves doing that. If he does it again---"

"Let's go eat before he takes it all," Darla interrupted.

"Takes what?" Hans asked coming around the corner.

Darla gasped. "Hans?"

He smiled at her. "Hey, baby."

Darla rushed into her husband's arms. "I didn't think you'd be here so quickly!"

"Neither did I," Drew muttered under her breath.

Neither Hans nor Darla heard her.

"You're really here," Darla said happily.

"I am," he said. "For two days."

Drew resisted the urge to roll her eyes. How big of him, she thought sarcastically.

"Drew and I were just going to get something to eat," Darla said, still holding onto him.

"I'm starving," Hans said before leaning in and giving her a kiss.

Darla embraced him tightly. "I missed you so much, Hans."

"I missed you too," Hans said softly.

Darla closed her eyes as he rubbed her back comfortingly. This was the husband she knew.

Drew left the two of them alone. She knew that this was her sister needed, but it didn't mean she had to like it.

Brian was in the kitchen with Chloe when she came down. "Why the long face?" he asked her.

"Hans is here," Drew replied.

"Uncle Hands?" Chloe asked delightedly.

"Yes, Munchkin," Drew said sitting down beside her daughter. She didn't want to say anything bad about her brother-in-law in front of Chloe.

"I want to go see him!" Chloe pushed herself out of her chair.

"Chloe," Brian called after her, but his daughter was already toddling out of the kitchen.

"Uncle Hands!" Chloe shrieked, tearing up the stairs.

Hans grinned when he saw the little girl. "Chloe!"

The little redhead threw her arms around his legs.

"How's my favourite toddler?" Hans asked picking her up.

"Good," Chloe said. "Daddy's making me a sammich!"

"How is your daddy?" Hans asked the girl.

"Good," Chloe said.

"Have you been taking care of Darla for me?" Hans asked her.

Chloe nodded. "And Rafe!"

"She's been a big help to me," Darla said grinning at her niece. "And so has Liam."

"Who's Liam?" Hans asked.

Darla looked at him. "He's my healer, Hans."

"Oh yeah," Hans replied.

"He can hear the baby," Chloe told him.

Hans looked at his wife. "Hear him?"

Darla laughed. "He tells Chloe that he can hear what Rafe says."

"And what does he say?" Hans tickled his niece.

Chloe giggled. "He's hungry."

"What a coincidence then," Hans replied.

"How about we go and grab a sandwich, too?" Darla asked.

"Yummy," Chloe nodded.

Darla smiled. "Come on, then."

Chloe held onto Hans and he carried her back into the kitchen.

"Alright, Hans?" Brian asked.

"Hey Brian," Hans set Chloe down. "Good to see you."

"Welcome to the madhouse," Brian grinned.

"It's good to be back here," Hans said. "Hey Drew."

"Hello," Drew replied icily.

Darla gave her sister a look.

Drew sighed. "Fine, Hans. I'm fine. How are you?"

"Great," Hans said. "In a few days I'm going to be shooting a huge print ad."

"That's great," Brian said.

"But for the next few days, he's here," Darla said. "And that's all that matters."

"And hopefully, I'll be taking you back with me," Hans said with a grin.

Darla stared at him. "Who told you I was thinking of coming with you?"

"No one," Hans said hastily. "I just thought it would be nice if you came to see me. I'd love to show you the city properly."

"Oh..." Darla said. "Well... that's something we can talk about later, right?"

Hans nodded. "Of course, love."

Darla leaned against him. "Rafe's awake..."

Chloe giggled. "That's 'cause his Daddy's here!"

"Sure is, sweetheart," Darla told her, putting Hans's hand on her stomach.

Hans felt his breath catch in his throat as he felt his son kick.

Darla smiled at him. "He's got quite a foot there."

"Of course he does," Hans said proudly.

"I often wake up to find a foot in my ribs," Darla said. "That's pretty painful."

"Ouch," Chloe said.

"You did the same thing to me," Drew said putting an arm around her daughter.

"I did?" Chloe leaned over and looked at her feet.

"Yes, you did," Drew told her. "You were quite a little kicker."

"I'm sorry," Chloe apologised.

"It's okay," Drew said hugging her.

"It didn't hurt too bad, right?" Chloe asked anxiously

"Not at all," Drew reassured her.

"Okay," Chloe took a bite of her sandwich.

"What kind of magic did you have to pull to get here today?" Darla asked her husband as they sat down.

"Freddy rescheduled some things for me," Hans said. "The shoot, and a few talk shows."

"Wow," Darla said. "Talk shows..."

"The late night ones," Hans said. "Those are fun."

"He'd know all about late nights," Drew muttered. Brian shot her a warning look.

"What?" Hans asked.

"Where've you been the last couple of weeks?" Drew asked before she could stop herself. "Hmm? She left you loads of messages. You couldn't spare two minutes to ring your wife and see how she's doing?"

"Drew!" Darla gasped.

"Chloe, how about you and I finish your sandwich outside?" Brian asked.

"Kay," Chloe replied.

Brian helped his daughter out of the kitchen. He would have grabbed his wife, too, but she was apparently not going to move a muscle.

"Drew, don't start," Darla said when they were alone.

"Go ahead, Drew," Hans said angrily. "Apparently, you've wanted to say this for quite some time."

"You bet I have," Drew snapped. "You're totally self absorbed, Hans. You don't give a fig about Darla and your son!"

"You have no idea what you're talking about," Hans shot back. "I love my wife and my son and where I am and what I'm doing is none of your concern. Mind your own business, Drew."

"Stop, both of you," Darla said, near tears.

"Your sister obviously wants me here and that's all that matters," Hans said glaring at Drew.

"Of course I do," Darla said.

Drew just shook her head.

"Drew, please don't do this," Darla said.

"I'm going outside," Drew said picking up her plate.

Hans shook his head. "I didn't come here to be accused of abandoning you," he said to his wife.

"She's just worried about me," Darla said in her sister's defence.

"But to jump on me like that?" Hans asked.

"She'll come around," Darla said. "I'm just so happy that you're here and I have some support."

Hans nodded.

"I've done a lot of thinking," Darla told him.

"About what?" he asked.

"About us," Darla replied. "I've been thinking of what it would be like to move to New York with you."

Hans grinned at her.

"This is my home though," Darla said. "And my work is here. I don't know if I could move to New York and handle the business on my own."

"You wouldn't have to," Hans told her. "Do you know how much money this whole campaign has made me?"

Darla looked at him. "Not work?"

"You wouldn't have to," Hans said. "You could stay at home with Rafe all the time,"

"I love my work though," Darla said thoughtfully. "I could do both, Hans."

"IF you really wanted to," he said.

"We can come to some sort of compromise," Darla said.

"Sure, baby," Hans reached for her hand.

"I want to make this work," Darla said.

"I do too," Hans told her. "More than anything."

"And I want my family to remember what a great bloke you are," Darla said.

Hans thought of her father and brother who were still likely tooling around New York City.

"I promise my brothers aren't going to beat you up," Darla said with a grin.

Hans laughed. "Would you believe they insured my face?"

"What?" Darla asked laughing.

"Two million," Hans told her.

Darla gaped at him. "Two million on your face?"

Hans nodded. "Half a million on my abdomen."

"I wasn't aware they did that," Darla said.

"If anything ever happens, that's what it's worth to fix me back up." Hans replied.

"In that case, I’ll make sure that my family leaves you alone," Darla teased.

Hans gave her a kiss. "Love you, Dar."

"I love you, too," Darla whispered.

"You tired?" he asked.

"I'm sleepy all the time," Darla admitted. "But, Liam said that was normal."

"We could go kip," Hans suggested. "It's pretty early New York time, and I got in late last night."

"That sounds perfect," Darla said.

They finished eating then went back upstairs. "Lying down always feels so good," Darla closed her eyes.

Hans ran his hands through her hair. "I missed lying down beside you."

"That feels good too," Darla smiled.

"You're going to love New York," Hans said softly.

"I hope so," Darla said.

"I know so," Hans said. "You, Rafe, and me. Freddy seems to think we could get the cover of some magazines once Rafe is born."

"Magazines?" she asked.

Hans nodded. "Funny, isn't it? First, they wanted me to hide that we were married and now they want to pay us millions to have the first photographs of our little guy."

"They want to pay us millions?" Darla asked. "Really?"

Hans nodded.

"Damn," Darla said.

"That's what I said," Hans said. "Blew my mind."

"I don't feel right selling photos of our baby," Darla told him.

"It would be tastefully done," Hans reassured her. "And it wouldn't be a tabloid."

"I don't know," she said. "Let's think about it."

"Sure," Hans agreed. He closed his eyes.

Darla did the same, resting her head on his chest.

Hans felt like he was truly home as he held his wife. Things were falling into place. They would make this work and the first step would be her moving to New York.

Meanwhile out on the beach, Chloe had joined her cousins in making an enormous sand castle. Everyone was helping, even Caroline, Mia and Katie.

"Get that bucket," Katie said to Mia.

"Okay," Mia said.

"I think we should build a moat," Caroline said thoughtfully.

"How are we going to do that?" Katie asked disdainfully.

"We could use the spade to dig around the castle," Caroline said, "and then pour water inside."

"It's just going to sink into the sand." Katie said. She still hadn't forgiven Mia and Caroline for going to the princess club meeting and leaving her by herself.

"Not if we build it out further," Mia said looking at the castle. "I think it's a great idea, Caroline."

"Thanks." Caroline beamed at her.

"We're not doing a moat," Katie said matter-of-factly.

"I want a moat," Sukie said.

"You don't even know what a moat is," Katie said rolling her eyes.

"Katie," Caroline frowned. "She's just a little kid... and this is their castle. If they want a moat, let's make a moat."

"Fine," Katie grumbled. "But don't blame me when it falls apart."

Caroline rolled her eyes at Mia who giggled.

"I'm going to get some shells," Katie said.

Ashley chose that moment to stroll up to them. "This castle looks great you guys!"

Sukie smiled at her. "See?"

"It's going to look awful with a moat," Katie said flatly before stalking away.

"Sissy why's Katie being mean?" Emma asked.

Caroline shrugged. "I don't know, Em."

"I don't like her when she's mean," Emma said.

"Me either," Caroline said quietly. "Come on, Em. We'll build a big moat."

Emma nodded eagerly. "Let's go get water. Come on, Han!"

Hannah grabbed a pail. "Okay, Em."

"Two pails," Emma pointed.

"Take mine," Sukie said handing hers to Hannah.

"Thanks Snow," Hannah grinned at her.

Sukie grinned back before she returned to her work.

"She's so cute, Em." Hannah told her.

Emma nodded. "I love Sukie."

"Me too," Hannah said as they filled their pails with water.

Ashley was helping Caroline and Mia when Katie rejoined them. "Where's your stupid boyfriend?" Katie asked haughtily.

"Katie," Ashley hissed.

"Whatever," Katie said sitting down on the sand.

Ashley sighed and shook her head. Her sister was impossible.

"Katherine Rose, you were supposed to clean your room!" Julie called out from the house.

Katie looked at her sister. "I was, wasn't I? Oh, Ashley..."

Ashley looked up. "What?"

Katie grinned. "Go and clean my room."

Ashley stared at her. "You are really something else, Katie."

Katie felt better as she pictured her big sister cleaning her room. "Thank you."

Ashley got up and headed back towards the house without another word.

Katie grinned. This was going to be fun. Too bad, she couldn't have Ashley do her reading assignments, too, she thought to herself.

"Where did Ash go?" Emma asked.

"Back to the house," Katie said happily.

"Why?" Emma asked. "I want her to help."

"She'll be back," Katie told her. "Want to help me pick out some shells?"

“I will," Casey said.

Katie smiled. "Great. We want really pretty ones, Case."

"Right," Casey took another bucket and began to dig in the sand.

"Han and me will help too," Emma said.

"Good," Katie said. "Then we don't have to help build that dumb moat."

"Dumb moat," Casey parroted.

"Case that's not nice," Emma said.

"Dumb moat," Casey repeated.

Katie laughed and began to look for shells.

"Sissy will make a great moat," Emma said to Katie.

"Sure," Katie said dismissively.

"Brit," Casey said looking up and seeing Ashley's best friend.

"Brittany's here?" Katie brightened.

"Cool castle, you guys," Brittany said admiringly.

"It'll be even cooler when we're done," Caroline said.

"Ashley's inside," Hannah told the older girl.

"I'm actually here to see Katie," Brittany told her.

"You are?" Katie asked.

"Yeah," Brittany replied. "I wanted to talk to you about something."

"What?" Katie dropped her bucket into the sand.

Brittany motioned for the younger girl to follow her so they'd have some privacy. Katie stood up and followed Brittany.

"It's about Ashley and Zander, actually." Brittany said.

"What about them?" Katie asked, folding her arms.

"Well... they sort of want to keep things a secret," Brittany said. "And Ash told me you caught them snogging."

Katie nodded. "It was so gross, Brittany."

"They fancy each other," Brittany said. "Can't you just... let them enjoy it?"

"Ashley never does anything wrong," Katie pointed out. "I have this and I'm going to use it."

"Come on Katie," Brittany said cajolingly.

"I'm not going to tell," Katie promised. "As long as she does what I want."

"That's soooooo not cool," Brittany said.

"But--" Katie protested.

"It really isn't," Brittany said. "Just think about it, okay?"

Katie nodded. "Okay."

"Thanks," Brittany touched the younger girl's shoulder.

Katie smiled. "I'm glad you're here."

"Me too," Brittany said. "This place is always so incredible."

"Hans is here," Katie told her. "He just arrived."

"HANS FEINBACH?" Brittany shrieked.

Katie giggled. "Yes."

"You have to tell Ash to introduce me," Brittany said.

"I can introduce you," Katie bragged.

“Right now?” Brittany asked excitedly.

"Not right now," Katie replied. "He's taking a kip with Darla. But, I'm sure they'll be awake for dinner."

"Darn," Brittany pouted.

Katie grinned. "You can be patient."

Brittany poked her. "Yeah, yeah."

Katie felt better than she had all day. She and Brittany rejoined the little girls and Katie didn't even comment on the moat. She grudgingly had to admit that it didn't look that bad.

"Who wants to pour the water in?" Caroline asked.

Sukie raised her little hand. "Me! Me want to!"

"Okay Snow White," Hannah said, giving her the pail full of water.

"Pour it really slow," Caroline told her.

"Okay," Sukie struggled with the pail.

Katie knelt down. "Here, I'll help you, Sukie."

"No," Sukie said. "Do it myself."

Katie smiled. "Okay, Sukie."

The little girl finally managed to tip the bucket into the moat.

"Way to go, Sukie!" Emma clapped her hands.

"Yay!" Casey danced around. "Stupid moat!"

Caroline met Katie's gaze and the two friends laughed. "Not too bad, Weasley," Katie said.

"Thanks," Caroline smiled at her.

Hannah looked admiringly at their work. "This is the bestest sand castle ever. I'm going to go and get Mummy to see!"

"Hurry," Emma urged her.

Hannah nodded and took off for the beach chairs where her mother was sitting with Maddie, Ethan, and Will. "Mummy! Mummy!"

"What's up, baby?" Frankie asked.

"We just finished our sand castle," Hannah told her. "And it's fabulous!"

"I'll have to come see," Frankie said, standing up.

Hannah took her hand and looked over at her father. "Daddy, you come too!"

"All right sweetheart," Will said.

Hannah tugged excitedly at both their hands. "It's so cool."

"That looks great, sweetheart!" Frankie exclaimed when Hannah led them over.

"Aunt Frack, you like it?" Emma asked.

"Very much," Frankie nodded.

Hannah hugged her mother.

"Let me go and grab the camera," Will told the girls. "You want to document this, don't you?"

"What's that mean?" Sukie asked her uncle.

"It means I'm going to take a photo of you girls in front of your big princess castle," Will said. The little girls were excited about this, to say the least and Will jogged back to the house to get the camera.

"Have I told you how happy I am that you and Mas are here?" Frankie asked picking Sukie up and tickling her side.

"Yes," Sukie giggled.

"Where's Mas?" Hannah asked.

"Fish," Sukie replied.

Will came back with his camera. "Okay, princesses. Strike a pose."

Emma, Hannah, Casey and Sukie gathered to the sides of their castle.

"Former princesses, you get in there too," Will told Caroline, Katie and Mia.

"Hurry!" Emma urged.

The three older girls took their places and Will took a couple of snapshots. "Perfect."

"I want this room," Casey pointed to the side.

"Where will Noah and Aidan sleep?" Caroline asked her.

Casey thought about this for a moment. "In the moat!"

"What about the alligators?" Sukie asked anxiously.

"There aren't any alligators in our moat," Caroline reassured her.

"Oh," Sukie said.

"Will Hans Feinbach be coming out on the beach?" Brittany whispered to Frankie.

Frankie looked over at her. "Hans is here?"

Brittany blushed. "Katie said he was."

"I'm sure he'll be out later," Frankie said.

Brittany grinned. "That's great."

Ashley came back out, glowering. "She better not mess her room back up so I have to clean it again."

"How bad was it?" Brittany asked.

"I think she messed it up purposely," Ashley grumbled. "Clothes everywhere..."

"Sounds like my room," Brittany said trying to make Ashley laugh. "Hey...don't worry, Ash. I had a talk with her. I think she'll leave you alone."

Ashley shook her head. "You don't know her."

"We had a nice talk," Brittany said telling Ashley everything she'd told the younger girl.

"We'll see," Ashley didn't look convinced.

"Don't worry," Brittany nudged her. "You and Zander are in the clear."

"Until my parents figure it out," Ashley said. "I was thinking while I was cleaning up Katie's room."

"Thinking what?" Brittany asked.

"I don't know if we should risk it," Ashley said quietly.

"Ashley," Brittany protested. "Come on. You and Zander are great together."

"I don't want to talk about it," Ashley said.

"Okay," Brittany said. "But, you know, you don't always have to be perfect. Your mum and dad can't expect you to follow everything they say."

Ashley sighed. "Let's go look at the castle."

"Okay," Brittany agreed.

Ashley glared at her sister as they came over. "Keep your room clean from now on, Katherine."

"I have a mother already," Katie shot back. "I don't need another one."

"Then clean up after YOURSELF," Ashley said sharply.

"I'll do what I want," Katie said glaring at her.

"Katie!" Caroline called. "We're going swimming! You want to come?"

"Yeah," Katie called back, shooting her sister another glare before hurrying off after her friends.

"She needs to cool off," Ashley muttered.

"Ease up on her," Brittany warned. "You don't want to give her any reason to tell."

"What's going on with you and Ashley?" Caroline asked.

Katie shrugged. "Nothing."

"Why'd she clean your room then?" Mia asked.

"She owed me," Katie replied. "That's all."

"Oh," Mia nodded.

Katie bit her bottom lip. She wanted to tell her friends what she knew, but she had promised Brittany she'd keep her mouth shut.

Caroline ran into the water. "Come on!"

Josh arrived back with the little boys. He'd taken them fishing when Jon had backed out at the last minute.

Luckily Toshio had also agreed to go with them; otherwise Josh wasn't sure he could have handled four active little boys.

"You're still standing," Allison teased Josh. "That's a good sign."

"Just barely," Josh said.

Allison picked up her son. "Did you catch a big fish, baby?"

"This big," Adam held his little arms out.

Allison grinned. "That's my boy. Your daddy is going to be so proud."

"Picture," Adam nodded.

"Where is my brother anyway?" Josh asked.

"He said he went into town with your dad," Allison said.

"They've been gone quite awhile," Josh commented.

"I know," Allison said. "I hope everything's okay."

"Want Daddy," Adam said looking up at Allison.

"I know love," Allison kissed the top of his head.

"Adam," Emma called out. "Come and play with me."

"No," Adam replied.

Emma put her hands on her hips. "Why?"

"No!" Adam exclaimed, louder.

"The boys are tired, Em," Josh said to his niece. "They had a big day on the boat."

Emma looked like she was going to argue but was distracted by a large wave crashing onto the shore.

"How about we all go back to the house and relax a bit before dinner?" Allison suggested. "Em?"

"Okay," Emma said.

As luck would have it, Jon and Ron had just arrived back at the house. Adam perked up the moment he saw his father. "Daddy!"

"Hey buddy," Jon scooped him up.

Adam began telling his father all about the big fish he caught. "Big! Really, really big! Big as Maxi!"

"You caught a fish as big as Max?" Jon asked, wishing he'd been there to see it.

"Good job, Adam," Ron said grinning at his grandson. Luna looked at her husband. "Ronald? You've got mustard on your face..."

"I do?" Ron asked.

"Yes," Luna said stepping closer and wiping at his face.

"Daddy, you smell like sugar," Emma said looking up at him.

"Are you saying I smell sweet?" Jon asked.

Emma nodded, but folded her arms. "Did you go without me?"

"Just a quick trip, baby." Jon told her.

Emma scowled up at him. "Not fair, Daddy."

"We'll go to the bakery later," Jon promised. "Make a quick trip there after dinner."

Emma wagged her finger at him. "We'd better."

"Of course," Jon said. "And I'm sure Adam deserves a giant biscuit or cupcake for catching a big fish."

"Yay," Adam grinned. "Love Daddy."

"Hans is here," Luna told her husband.

Ron cast a look at Jon and they both grinned.

265. Chapter 265--Memories

Authors’ note: Brighton continues this chapter, but there’s also a sweet flashback of a favourite couple---no, not Harry/Hermione…

Upstairs, RJ was just getting out of the shower when he saw the last person in the world he'd want to see.

"Hiya, RJ," Hans said. "Long time no see. How are you, mate?"

"What are you doing here?" RJ frowned.

"I'm here to see Darla for a couple of days," Hans replied. "She wanted a glass of water."

"Oh," RJ replied. "I'm sure she's glad you're here."

"But no one else obviously is," Hans said quietly.

RJ felt guilty at that remark. Obviously the bloke cared otherwise he wouldn't be here.

"Dar told me you moved in with Alexa, wasn't it?" Hans asked, trying to remember the name of RJ's girlfriend.

"Audrey," RJ corrected. "Alexa's my ex."

"Sorry," Hans apologised. "Well, Darla says she's very nice."

"She's the best," RJ smiled.

"Maybe you and Audrey can come and visit Darla and me in New York," Hans told him.

RJ looked at him strangely. "Visit Darla in New York?"

Hans nodded. "Yeah, we're moving there. I mean, Darla hasn't said so yet, but she's going to come around."

"What makes you so sure?" RJ asked.

"She loves me," Hans said confidently. "And she'll do what's best for us."

"Sure," RJ nodded.

"Later then," Hans said to his brother-in-law. RJ stared after him a moment before he headed for his bedroom. Audrey was putting on her makeup. The two of them were going out that evening. "Hans is here," RJ told her.

"Really," Audrey raised her eyebrows.

RJ nodded. "And apparently, he believes Darla's going to move to New York."

"I didn't think she would ever do that." she said.

"Neither did I," RJ said walking over to the closet. "I have a feeling it would be much more of the same even if she was there."

"I would hope not," Audrey brushed at her hair.

"He reminds me a little of how I acted when I first started at Puddlemere," RJ told her. "I started to believe the hype, you know?"

"I remember you saying something about that," Audrey put her brush down. "I'm glad you got it out of your system before we met."

RJ grinned at her. "Me, too. If you'd have met me then, you'd never have given me the time of day."

Audrey smiled back. "Maybe I would have."

RJ laughed. "Aud, I was a complete arse back then."

Audrey got up and gave him a kiss. "Not anymore..."

"Not anymore," RJ said softly.

Audrey gave him another kiss.

"I love you, Aud," RJ said.

"I love you too," she said.

"I'm glad we're getting out of here tonight," RJ said. "I love my family, but sometimes it's nice to get away just the two of us."

"Definitely," Audrey replied. "I've been looking forward to this all day."

"Me too," RJ said. "So, you'd better finish getting ready, Aud."

"I am, I am." she hurried back to the mirror.

RJ grinned. "You don't need all that makeup you know."

"Flatterer," Audrey said.

"That," RJ joked. "And I'm trying to get us out of here as fast as I can since I'm starving."

"I'll speed things up," she promised.

"I'll believe that when I see it," RJ said as he put on his dress shirt. "There is a lobster out there with my name on it."

"And some jumbo shrimp for me," Audrey said, disappearing into the closet.

"Don't talk about Saffron like that," RJ said, raising his voice so his friend could hear on the other side of the wall. "She's not a jumbo shrimp."

"Shut it RJ!" he heard her thump on the wall.

"Do you prefer stuffed crab then?" RJ called back grinning at Audrey as he said this.

"How about you skewered on the end of a sharp stick," she retorted.

Audrey laughed. "Good one, Saffy."

"Thanks Aud!" Saffron called back.

"I'll get you my pretty and your little dog too," RJ cackled in a high pitched voice.

"RJ you're an idiot," Saffron said.

"I resent that," RJ shot back.

"No, you resemble that," Saffron retorted.

"Saffron, I swear---" RJ started to say, but Audrey clamped her hand over his mouth.

"Get ready," she said. "You know you'll never win against her."

"She's so quick with the comebacks," RJ grumbled.

"Exactly," Audrey said with a grin.

"Okay, okay," RJ said. He finished getting ready and before long, he and Audrey were walking downstairs.

"Ooooh," Jon teased. "Junior, you're so dressed up."

"Looking good, aren't I?" RJ said.

"Hans better watch out," Jon joked in dramatic fashion.

"Don't listen to him," Allison said. "You look very handsome, RJ. And Audrey, you look gorgeous. That's a lovely dress."

"Thanks, Allie." Audrey replied. "It's new."

"You two have a great time," Allison told her.

"See you lot later," RJ took Audrey's hand.

Audrey squeezed his hand.

"This is going to be the best night," he promised. "No interruptions, just us."

"Sounds perfect," Audrey said smiling at him.

"And you do look absolutely gorgeous," RJ said.

Audrey had gone shopping that afternoon with Alexa and Saffron. She had thought it might be a little strange, but she'd actually had a great time with the two girls. They'd even helped her pick out the dress she was wearing tonight.

She had been prepared to find it extremely awkward, especially being with Alexa. But the other girl was nothing but sweet and friendly.

"Thank you, RJ," Audrey said. "You look great tonight, too."

"You'll outshine me in a moment," RJ said softly.

"I don't know about that," Audrey said leaning against him.

RJ slid his arm around her, once again glad they were alone. He'd had enough of her bloody cousin now that Becca was at the pub.

"You never did tell me what you and Andrew did while we were out," Audrey commented.

"We were lazy," RJ said.

Audrey nudged him. "Lazy, you two?"

"Believe it or not," he told her.

"Saffy's really excited about the wedding," Audrey told him. "She said she's never been this happy."

"I'm glad," he said. "Saf needs someone like Andrew in her life."

"I hope Becca can find someone like that," Audrey said thoughtfully. "She needs someone to give her stability."

RJ looked away so he could roll his eyes without his girlfriend seeing.

"Last time I spoke with her, she told me she had her eye on someone," Audrey said.

"Did she say who?" RJ asked.

Audrey shook her head. "No, but I'm sure I'll get it out of her when we get back."

"Right," RJ said.

They approached the restaurant and Audrey grinned. "Is your lobster calling your name?"

"Very loudly," RJ joked.

He held the door for her and Audrey stepped inside.

"Reservation for two," RJ said to the maitre'd. "Weasley..."

"Ah," the maitre'd said looking at his reservation book. "Right this way."

RJ stood back to let Audrey walk in front of him.

The maitre'd led them through the restaurant and out to the patio where they had the whole area to themselves. The ocean view was breathtaking and Audrey turned to look at her boyfriend. "RJ, this is amazing."

"Not so much as you are," RJ said in her ear.

Audrey smiled and turned to give him a kiss.

RJ kept his lips pressed to hers for a moment before they sat down. He grinned at his girlfriend. "Did I do good?"

"Incredible," Audrey said happily.

"I'm glad," RJ said softly.

"I think this will be the best night we've had since we got here," Audrey gazed out over the ocean.

"This has been a great holiday so far," RJ said motioning for the waiter to bring over the champagne.

"Yes it has," she agreed.

"My family really likes you," RJ told her. "In fact, they might like you better than me."

"Oh now that's hard to believe," Audrey grinned wryly at him.

"It's true," RJ said as the waiter poured them each a glass of champagne. "Even the little ones..."

"I just can't get over how cute they are, with their princess club," Audrey laughed.

"Cute and completely serious," RJ said. "Emma's like a little general."

"Especially when it comes to food," Audrey said, taking the glass he held out to her.

"Speaking of food, I think my dad cheated on his diet," RJ told her. "He and Jon disappeared this afternoon and I think they hit the bakery in town or something."

"Your dad doesn't need to be on a diet," Audrey shook her head.

"Tell him that next time you see him," RJ said.

"I will," Audrey nodded.

"So, did you have a great time this afternoon shopping?" RJ asked her.

"I really did," Audrey nodded.

"Lex and Saffy sung my praises all afternoon, didn't they?" RJ asked with a grin.

"Hardly," Audrey replied. "Saffron took the Mickey quite a bit..."

RJ rolled his eyes. "She would."

"But for everything she said, she did say you were a great guy," Audrey finished.

"She did?" RJ asked.

"Sure did," Audrey smiled at him. "Saffron would probably never admit it aloud, but she does care about you."

"She's like a little sister to me," RJ told her. "I would do anything for her and it killed me when I didn't protect her when that---you know..."

"How could you have?" Audrey asked.

"If I'd have been at that party, she wouldn't have been alone with O'Neal," RJ said quietly. "I wouldn't have let him anywhere near her."

"But who knew he was capable of doing that?" Audrey reasoned.

"I knew he was up to something," RJ argued. "I just don't think I'll ever forgive myself for letting her down when she needed me the most."

"You were there for her after, and that's what counts," Audrey told him.

RJ nodded. "She's been through so much."

"And Andrew is by her every step of the way," Audrey said gently. "So you have no reason to feel guilty."

RJ reached across the table for her hand. "Thanks, Aud."

She squeezed his fingers in hers. "Won't have my boyfriend all mopey on a night like this."

"Right," RJ nodded. "No moping."

Audrey grinned at him again.

"Happy thoughts," RJ grinned back at her. "Good food. Great girl."

"And best guy," Audrey raised her glass.

RJ clinked his glass against hers. "To new beginnings."

"You know," Audrey said after she'd sipped her champagne. "I'm not going to want to go back to work after being here."

"Jon and Vic can't do without their best waitress," RJ said.

"Becca's improving," Audrey said. "She's just got to learn to focus on her job and not flirt so much with the patrons."

"Yeah," RJ said picking up his menu. He didn't want to talk about Becca.

"Still getting that lobster?" Audrey looked at her own menu.

"Yes," RJ said. "For a start..."

"A start?" Audrey asked. "RJ, how much are you going to spend on this meal?"

"Money is no object," RJ said with a grin. "You can get whatever you want, Aud. What you don't eat, I'll finish."

"That I know for sure," Audrey said.

RJ winced. "Squid. I think I've found the one thing I will not eat."

"I've heard calamari is delicious," Audrey replied.

"Are you feeling adventurous?" RJ asked her. "Gonna try it?"

"Maybe," Audrey said.

"Jon loves it," RJ told her. "Em wanted to try it, but she said she couldn't bring herself to eat a poor octopus."

Audrey laughed hard. "She is too much!!"

"She did," RJ said. "Ask her about it tomorrow."

"I will," Audrey scanned the rest of the menu.

"If you wanted to try the squid, I wouldn't hold it against you," RJ teased.

"I don't know if I'm in the mood for it," Audrey said.

"You could get lobster like me," RJ said. "But, don't you dare mention to my Aunt Cho or Chiaki that we ate it. They're vegetarians and the last time I had one and they were around, they hounded me the entire meal about how it was boiled alive."

"Ugh," Audrey wrinkled her nose. "I don't want that either."

"You're beautiful when you're indecisive," RJ said grinning at her.

"Very cute," she said dryly.

"You like trout, right?" RJ asked her.

"Yes," Audrey nodded.

"So do I," RJ grinned. "So if you can't finish it, I'll be good to go."

Audrey laughed. "So your true plans are revealed."

RJ rubbed his hands together. "And now you've caught on..."

Audrey set her menu aside.

"Good thing I don't mind."

"One of the many things I love about you," RJ said smiling at his girlfriend.

While RJ and Audrey enjoyed their evening out, Jon was giving Emma and Adam a bath. Adam giggled as Emma splashed water at their father.

"Daddy's all wet, Adam!" Emma squealed.

"Daddy wet!" Adam splashed him too.

"Hey, hey, hey!" Jon splashed them back.

Emma shrieked. "Daddy!"

Allison appeared in the doorway and shook her head. "There's more water on the floor than in the tub, Jon!"

"Bad Daddy!" Adam exclaimed.

"Yeah, bad Daddy," Emma echoed.

"You lot are turning on me?" Jon asked, his jaw dropping. "I thought we were a team!"

"Team," Adam nodded.

Allison grabbed a towel. "Come on, Em. Out with you."

"Mummy you're no fun," Emma complained.

Jon grabbed another towel and lifted Adam out of the bath. "Your mummy is very fun, Emma. And she's right. You've been in here long enough. It's bedtime."

"I'm not tired," Emma said as Allison dried her off.

Allison smiled at her youngest daughter. "Well, I'm sure I could tell you a story before you and Adam go to bed..."

"Yay!" Emma bounced happily. "A story, a story, a STORY!"

"So I'm a little bit fun?" Allison asked teasingly.

"Yes," Emma admitted.

Allison grinned. "I think you're a lot of fun, too. My Emma Madeline."

"Love you Mummy," Emma gave her a kiss on the cheek.

"I love you, too," Allison smiled. "Let's go and grab your pyjamas."

"My Ariel ones," Emma followed her out of the loo, wrapped in her towel.

"As if I would put you in any others," Allison teased.

Emma's room was just across from Andrew and Saffron's. Allison could hear Saffron and Alexa talking about wedding dresses.

"I am not wearing feathers, Lexie!" Saffron giggled. "I'd look like a bird!"

"But just a few would look so pretty--" Alexa said.

"No feathers," Saffron interjected. "Honestly--- Em, Allie. Come in here."

"What's up Saffy?" Allison asked.

Saffron held up the bridal magazine. "Look at this dress and tell me what you think?"

"It's pretty," Allison said. "But I always saw you in something more simple."

'Thank you," Saffron said looking at Alexa. "That's exactly what I think too."

"Okay," Alexa replied. "I'm not saying you had to be as feathery as this but I just thought you'd look pretty with a few."

"Big Bird," Emma said pointing at the picture.

Saffron broke out into gales of laughter. "Thank you Em!"

Emma beamed at her. "You're welcome."

"All right," Allison said. "It's time for me to get this princess into bed."

The two girls said good night to Emma and Allison led the way back to Emma's bedroom.

"Mummy, did you wear feathers?" Emma asked.

"No I didn't, baby." Allison said.

"Did Daddy?" Emma asked.

Allison laughed. "He didn't either."

Allison pulled Emma's pyjamas from her dresser.

"When I married your daddy, I was wearing jeans and a jumper," Allison told her.

"No dress?" Emma asked. "Why?"

Allison helped her daughter into her pyjamas. "It was kind of a last minute decision."

"How come?" Emma pursued.

This wasn't exactly the bedtime story Allison had planned on telling her daughter. "Well, your daddy and I loved each other very much, but no one seemed to understand. They thought we were too young to be so serious about each other."

"Grandpa didn't like Daddy?" Emma asked.

"Well, he did," Allison said. "He just didn't like the idea that his little girl was growing up and falling in love."

"How could you not like Daddy?" Emma asked.

Allison smiled. "You know, when you were very little, Daddy and I told you and Caroline this story. And you asked that same question."

"I don't remember," Emma said softly. She sat down on the bed and looked at her mother.

"Well, we were married for the first time in a small church," Allison told her. "It was just your dad and me and your Uncle Josh."

"That's small," Emma said as Allison helped her into her Ariel pyjamas.

"It was one of the best days of my life though," Allison remembered. "The only thing I regretted was that my family and friends weren't there to see it."

"I wish I was," Emma said.

"You came along later," Allison grinned at her.

Emma smiled back.

"But, we had a proper ceremony after I graduated from Hogwarts," Allison told her.

"With a dress?" Emma asked, sliding under the covers.

"With a dress and bridesmaids," Allison said smiling at her.

"Tell me about it," Emma begged.

Allison lay back on the bed and Emma cuddled up beside her. "Well, neither your daddy or I knew what was going on."

"Why?" Emma asked.

"Well, I was just out of school and your Daddy was working for your great uncles Fred and George," Allison said. "We didn't have much money. We always wanted to have a proper ceremony, but we wanted to save up for it."

"Didn't Grandpa and Grandma help?" Emma asked.

"Actually, they did," Allison told her.

Allison and Jon had only spent weekends and holidays together since they'd married. When Allison graduated, they moved in together in the flat over the shop.

They had talked about whether or not they wanted to spring for another ceremony or save money to buy a house, and the house won. Though Allison was disappointed that she wasn't able to have her dream wedding, being married to Jon was worth it.

Since she had the day off from her job at the book shop, she decided to straighten the flat. She was still trying to make the place seem more like a home. She'd hung some curtains over the windows and bought a nice duvet for the simple double bed.

There was a knock on the door and Allison sighed. Fred and George had taken to using the young couple as guinea pigs for some of their products. She hoped they weren't planning on pulling something now. To her surprise and relief, her two sisters were standing on the other side of the door.

"What are you two doing here?" Allison asked.

"We have a surprise for you," Chiaki took her by the arm.

"Chi, I really don't have time for this," Allison protested. "I have to finish---"

"We'll help you finish it later," Frankie interrupted her. "Come on Allie- you know we won't take no for an answer!"

"I can't go out like this," Allison argued. She was wearing sweats and a t-shirt. "Chiaki---"

"It doesn't matter," Chiaki told her. "Come on!"

Frankie giggled. She loved surprises and she knew her sister was going to love this.

"What are you two up to?" Allison said, grabbing her cloak as she was ushered out the door. "Where's Jon?"

"He's with Dad," Frankie said gleefully.

Allison raised her eyebrows. "Am I missing something?"

"All will be revealed in good time," Chiaki said in a pitch perfect imitation of Professor Trelawney.

"I hate when you're being deliberately vague," Allison answered.

"You're going to LOVE us," Frankie reassured her.

"Shhh," Chiaki warned. "Frankie, maybe it would be best if you didn't say anything the rest of the way. You're going to give it away."

"I am not!" Frankie scowled.

"Who spilled to mum about that watch Dad got her for Christmas?" Chiaki asked. "Who blabbed to everyone when Allie and me snuck out that one time to walk on the beach?"

"That's when I was younger," Frankie stressed.

Chiaki rolled her eyes. "You wonder why no one tells you anything."

Allison shook her head as her sisters led her away.

Jon, meanwhile, was just as clueless as his wife. He'd been surprised to see his father-in-law approach him just as he was opening the shop. Neville had asked him to breakfast and Jon, though nervous, had jumped at the chance to get to know his father-in-law a little better.

"I know it's late notice, but I was hoping we could get you the afternoon off," Neville told him.

"I was going to help Allie," Jon said. "We still have loads to do with the flat..."

"I'll talk to her," Neville covered.

"Oh," Jon said. "Um, well I'd have to clear it with Uncle Fred."

"Sure," Neville nodded.

"I'll be right back," Jon said.

He hurried over to the back room where he knew Fred would be working on inventory.

"Uncle Fred?" Jon asked.

"Yeah?" Fred asked distractedly.

"Would it be alright if I had the day off?" Jon asked.

Fred's eyebrows knotted together. "You want to leave now? You just started."

"I'll work a double shift tomorrow," Jon promised. "Al's dad is here and I want to make a good impression."

"Aha," Fred smiled. "Go ahead. I'll call George and make him get in here."

Jon grinned. "You're the best. Thanks, Uncle Fred."

"Go on," Fred waved his hand. "I'll see you tomorrow."

"Thanks," Jon said again.

When he rejoined Neville, he saw his father-in-law looking at his watch.

"Are you in a hurry, sir?" Jon asked.

"No," Neville said quickly.

Jon nodded, but couldn't shake the feeling that he was up to something.

"Where are we headed?" he asked.

"To my house actually," Neville replied.

"Oh..." Jon said. "Okay..."

"You're not nervous are you?" Neville asked.

"I don't really know what's going on..." Jon said.

"You will soon enough," Neville reassured him. "You've had this coming, Jonathan."

"I do?" Jon asked, his voice high pitched.

Neville laughed, but to Jon, this sounded menacing.

He felt like he was walking to his doom as he followed his father in law. And he'd thought he'd come so far- made such progress with Neville since he and Allison had gotten married.

"Beautiful day, isn't it?" Neville asked. "Nice, summer day."

"Yeah," Jon choked out. "Really nice..."

They arrived at the Longbottom house and Jon was hoping that Cho was there. To be sure, Neville wouldn't hex him or anything with witnesses about.

"Come on in," Neville opened the door for him.

"Thanks," Jon said stepping inside.

"Cho?" Neville called, making Jon feel better. "We're back."

Cho came out of the kitchen. "Hello, Jon."

"Hi, Mrs. Longbottom," Jon replied.

Cho smiled. "Jon, you are family. You can call me Cho."

"Oh right," Jon managed a smile.

"I'll take him upstairs then, shall I?" Neville asked his wife. "They're ready for him, right?"

"They?" Jon asked.

"They've been waiting for you," Cho said pushing him toward the stairs.

"Who?" Jon stumbled up the steps.

Neville didn't answer as he followed the young man upstairs. "Second door on your right, son."

Jon stared at his in laws for a long moment before reluctantly reaching for the doorknob.

To his surprise, his father and twin brother were in the room, wearing dress robes.

"Dad, Josh?" Jon asked. "What are you doing here?"

"Come on in, Jonathan," Ron said. "We need to get you ready."

"Ready for what?" Jon asked. "Will someone please tell me what's going on?"

"Your wedding ceremony," Josh said with a grin. "A proper one this time."

"My what?" Jon asked.

"A wedding ceremony," Josh said again.

"What?" Jon asked, completely dumbfounded. He turned to look at Neville. "You know about this?"

"Sure do," Neville smiled at him.

Jon was at a loss for words.

"He's in shock," Josh joked.

"For once he's speechless," Ron replied. "Come on Jonathan. Your bride will be waiting."

"Allie," Jon said. "Did she know?"

"No," Josh said.

A slow smile spread across Jon's face. He knew that this was what Allison really wanted and she was actually going to get it.

"Now he's catching on," Josh held up a set of robes.

"Let's do this," Jon said taking the robes from his brother.

A few rooms down, Allison was going through something similar with her sisters.

"We don't have much time," Chiaki said as she gently pushed her sister down on a chair. "Lizzy, can you go and make sure that Jon's here?"

Lizzy nodded and winked at Allison before she left the room.

"I can't believe this," Allison kept saying.

"You deserve it, Allie." Frankie said twirling around.

Chiaki grinned. "Wait until you see the dress. Frankie, would you do the honours?"

"Ooooh yes," Frankie replied excitedly.

Allison turned and watched as her younger sister opened the closet and pulled out the dress. Allison gasped. She'd seen that dress in Frank and Alice Longbottom's wedding photographs. "Grandma's dress?"

"Right," Frankie said. "Lavender modernized it just a bit, and took it in so it'll fit you."

"It's beautiful," Allison whispered.

"Come on, let's put it on," Chiaki urged. "We need to get you ready."

Allison nodded. "Okay..."

"He's here," Lizzy came back in. "Ron and Josh are getting him ready."

"Fantastic," Chiaki said. "Now, do you think you want to wear your hair up or down?"

"Whatever way it looks best," Allison shrugged.

"I think down with ringlet curls," Chiaki said thoughtfully. "It will look really pretty with the veil."

"Okay," Allison said, a flutter of excitement in her stomach.

"And I didn't tell," Frankie said proudly. "I wanted to, but I didn't."

"Good job, Frankie," Chiaki smiled at her little sister.

"Thank you, Frankie," Allison said softly.

"It's all just soooooo romantic," Frankie said.

"You haven't seen anything yet," Chiaki caught her sister's eye in the mirror.

"Why?" Allison asked. "What else did you lot do?"

"Just wait until you see the backyard," Chiaki said with a grin.

"Let me go peek," Allison said.

"Absolutely not," Chiaki said firmly. She picked up her wand and started to curl her sister's hair.

Allison waited patiently while her sister fixed her up. "I'll help you get into your robes," Frankie offered.

"We will let you see your bouquet," Lizzy said.

"You got me a bouquet?" Allison asked. "Really?"

Lizzy giggled. "Allie, what bride gets married without flowers?"

"Me," Allison said.

"Maybe the first time, but this time you're doing it right," Lizzy said pulling out the bouquet.

"Right," Allison agreed, her eyes wide. "Oh those are beautiful!"

"You really like them?" Lizzy asked. "Chiaki, Frankie and I picked them out."

"You three did wonderful," Allison felt tears sting her eyes.

Chiaki shook her head. "Allison Catherine Longbottom Weasley, you will not cry! You will not mess up your makeup."

"Okay," Allison blinked. "I won't cry, I promise."

In the makeshift groom's room, Jon was struggling with his tie. "I hate these things..."

Luna smiled at her son. "You always did, but that's just because you never could tie them correctly. Come here."

"Thanks," Jon said gratefully.

Luna felt a lump in her throat as she looked at her son.

"What's wrong?" he asked her.

"You're my baby," Luna sniffed. "And I'm so proud of you!"

"Thanks Mum," Jon smiled crookedly at her.

"Mum, you're not going to cry all day are you?" Josh teased her.

"Of course not," Luna said.

Jon smiled at her. "This is a happy day."

"Very," Jon said. "It was a great surprise."

"You have Neville to thank for that," Ron said. "He and Cho came up with the idea."

"They did?" Jon asked in surprise.

Ron nodded. "I was just as surprised as you were."

"That was really cool of them," Jon said.

Luna smiled. "It is. I know he loves his daughter and I know that he wants to make her happy."

Jon smiled too. "I make her happy."

"She must if she's willing to live with you, you slob," Josh teased.

Jon sent him a sardonic grin.

Maddie stepped inside the room. She was dressed in her flower girl dress and she carried Dolly's cage.

"Mad Dog," Jon said grinning at her. "Look at you!"

Maddie twirled around, nearly crashing into a dresser. "Oops!"

"You okay, Maddie?" Ron asked.

"Yeah," Maddie peered into the cage. "So is Dolly."

Josh nudged his brother. "She put the pixie in a matching dress."

"Seriously, Mad Dog?" Jon looked at the pixie.

"Isn't she pretty?" Maddie beamed at him.

"Looks just like you," Jon said wryly.

"Remember, she stays in her cage," Ron told his daughter.

"I know," Maddie pouted.

"That look isn't going to work on me this time," Ron said.

"But Daddy--" Maddie tried to argue.

"Look away, Dad," Jon said. "You're no match for it."

"No," Ron said firmly. "Madeline, we talked about this. She stays in her cage or I take her home."

Maddie pouted. "Okay..."

"That's my girl," Ron said.

Drew and Darla came into the room. "Dad, Uncle Neville said to tell you it was time," Darla said.

"Thanks," Ron said. "Guess we'll see you out there, son."

Jon nodded. "I'm---I'm really glad that you're all here."

"Wouldn't have missed this one for the world," Ron clapped Jon's shoulder.

Jon grinned at his father. "Thanks, Dad."

Josh looked over at him. "See you out there, mate. Wait until you see Allie."

"Thanks for being my best man," Jon said.

"Again?" Josh joked. "Not a problem."

Jon couldn't wait to see his bride. He was tempted to search through the house until he found her just to see how she was doing, but he knew he should wait.

"Come on," Josh tugged at his sleeve.

"Right," Jon said. "I'm ready."

They headed downstairs and Jon's jaw dropped as they went into the backyard.

"Nice, isn't it?" Josh asked him.

"Yeah..." Jon nodded. He saw Harry and Hermione with Ethan and Saffron over sitting on one of the chairs. Julie was standing nearby, talking to Nick. He was also astonished to see Seamus and Lavender, all the way from California.

Josh pulled at his brother's arm and led him toward the gazebo where the vicar was waiting for them. Jon recognised the man immediately as the same vicar who had performed the ceremony last time. "Good to see you again, son."

"Hi," Jon said, amazed. "How... when--?"

"Your brother here found me," the vicar said looking at Josh.

"Wow," Jon said. "Thanks mate."

Just inside the house, Allison's sisters helped her downstairs where Neville was waiting.

"Hi, Daddy," Allison said beaming at him.

"Hey sweetheart," Neville said. "You look beautiful."

"I can't believe this is really happening," Allison said softly.

"We wanted to be there for your wedding," Neville told her.

Allison took his hand. "Thank you, Daddy."

Neville gave her a kiss on the cheek. "Come on."

Maddie was waiting outside with Luna. She had reluctantly handed Dolly off to Darla.

"Hi, Allie," Maddie said when she saw her sister-in-law. "You look soooooo pretty!"

"Hi Maddie," Allison kissed her cheek. "You always do."

"Remember what to do with your flowers," Luna said to her daughter. "I'll be right up front with your Daddy."

"I'll look out for her, Aunt Luna," Frankie promised.

"Thank you Frankie," Luna smiled.

Luna gave her daughter-in-law's hand a squeeze before she hurried to take her place with Ron.

"This is it, Dad," Allison said. "You at least get to give me away this time."

Neville nodded. "The hardest thing I'll ever have to do."

"It won't be that hard..." Allison said.

"You have no idea," Neville said. "But, I love you and want you to be happy."

"I am," Allison. "Happier than I've ever been."

"That's all I needed to hear," Neville said.

He watched as his other two daughters slowly walked down the aisle.

"This is just like the wedding I'd hoped for," Allison said. "Thank you."

Neville swallowed the lump in his throat as the wedding march began to play. The guests turned to get their first glimpse of the bride.

Allison smiled as she and Neville began to walk forward.

Jon's jaw dropped when he saw Allison.

"Hi," she mouthed to him.

Jon grinned at her. "Hi," he mouthed back.

She remembered feeling so nervous the first time, but this time there was nothing but happiness.

"Who gives this woman to be married to this man?" the vicar asked.

Neville looked at his daughter. "Her mother and I do."

"Thanks Dad," Allison whispered and kissed his cheek. "Thank you so much for this."

Neville smiled. "You're welcome, sweetheart."

He looked at Jonathan. "Take care of her, Jonathan. I mean it."

"I promise," Jon nodded.

Allison handed her bouquet to Chiaki and then took her place beside Jon. She reached for his hand.

He gave it a squeeze. "Can you believe this?" he whispered as the vicar began speaking.

Allison smiled at him. She couldn't believe they were actually here---in front of everyone they cared about.

"Do you, Allison, take Jonathan, as your lawfully wedded husband?" the vicar asked.

"I do," Allison replied.

"And Jonathan," the vicar said. "Do you take Allison as your lawfully wedded wife?"

Jon's eyes were fixed on his wife's and he didn't seem to hear the question.

"Jonathan?" the vicar prompted.

Jon broke out of his reverie. "Oh, yes," Jon said quickly. "Absolutely. I do."

Allison smiled at him.

"It wasn't all that long ago, when this young couple stood before me," the vicar said. "I had my doubts about a couple marrying so young, but I could tell that Jonathan and Allison truly cared for each other and wanted to be together."

Jon and Allison both nodded.

"Today they stand before their family and friends renewing their vows," the vicar continued. "Allison and Jonathan have reaffirmed their commitment to each other."

"You may now kiss your bride, Jonathan." the vicar said.

Jon grinned. "My Allie," he whispered before pressing his lips to hers.

Allison slid her arms around his neck and deepened the kiss.

"Ladies and gentlemen," the vicar said. "I present to you, Allison and Jonathan Weasley."

Everyone watching clapped as Jon took Allison's hand and they hurried back down the aisle.

When they reached the house, Jon picked up Allison and swung her around.

"How's it feel to be Mrs. Weasley?" he joked.

Allison laughed. "Even better the second time around."

Jon gave her another kiss. "You look stunning, Al. This is the way it should have been the first time."

"I loved our first wedding too," Allison said. "This was even more special because our families were here."

"Right," Jon smiled down at her.

"You know," Allison said. "This is our wedding night..."

"I took care of that," Jon said. "When I was getting ready. I made reservations for us at a bed and breakfast in Yorkshire. It's nothing fancy..."

"That's okay," Allison said eagerly.

They pulled reluctantly apart when the guests started to approach them. Allison thanked Lavender for the work she had done on Alice Longbottom's dress.

"I just wish she could have been here to see it," Allison said softly.

"I'm sure you look as lovely as she did," Lavender said reassuringly.

"We'll visit your grandparents," Jon said to his wife. "Soon."

"We'll bring some pictures," Allison said.

"Gran will love that," Chiaki said.

"I hope so," Allison said.

Maddie took Dolly's cage and carried it over to Ethan. "Hi, Ethan! Dolly wanted to say hello!"

Ethan rolled his eyes. "She has on the same dress you do."

"I know," Maddie said. "She's soooooo pretty today."

"I don't think she likes wearing a dress," Ethan said looking at the pixie.

"It's okay," Maddie said. "She told me she doesn't mind too much."

"She talks to you?" Ethan asked.

"All the time," Maddie nodded.

"What does she say?" Ethan asked, curious despite himself.

"Lots of things," Maddie replied. "A lot of secrets."

"That's kind of cool," Ethan admitted.

"She likes you a lot," Maddie blushed. "That was one of her secrets."

Ethan turned red. "Maddie!"

"It's true!" Maddie insisted.

"Everything okay?" Julie asked coming over to join them.

"No," Ethan said grumpily, casting a look at Maddie. "She's starting again!"

"I was just bringing Dolly over to say hello to Ethan," Maddie told Julie. Her lower lip trembled. She did not like it when Ethan was mad at her.

"I'm sure that's all you were doing," Julie said reassuringly. "Ethan..."

"Are you crying?" Ethan asked incredulously.

"No," Maddie blinked.

"I didn't make her cry!" Ethan exclaimed looking pleadingly at his sister.

"Go on Ethan," Julie said. "I bet Greta will get you something to eat."

Ethan nodded and hurried away.

Maddie used her free hand to wipe at her eyes.

"Maddie don't worry about him," Julie reassured the little girl.

"He doesn't like me," Maddie sniffed.

"He's a silly boy if he doesn't like you," Julie told her.

"Thanks, Julie," Maddie said smiling through her tears.

"Dolly looks beautiful in her dress," Julie said. "Almost as beautiful as you do."

"I dressed her up all by myself," Maddie said proudly. "No one else helped."

Julie leaned down to get a better look. "Did you do the ribbons too?"

Maddie nodded. "She sits still for me when I tell her to."

"You love her very much, don't you?" Julie asked grinning at her.

"She's my best friend," Maddie nodded.

"Don't worry about Ethan," Julie told her. "He'll come around and someday, we might be at your wedding..."

"You think so?" Maddie asked hopefully.

"You never know what might happen," Julie said. "But for now, how about you and I go and show your pixie to Saffy?"

"Okay," Maddie agreed.

"No more tears," Julie said to her.

Maddie shook her head. "Dolly doesn't like to see me cry."

"No one likes to see you cry," Julie said glad to see the little girl seemed to be in better spirits.

A short time later, the happy couple was sharing their first dance.

"We didn't do this last time," Allison said dreamily.

"No we didn't," Jon said softly, kissing the side of her head.

"And to think," Allison said looking up at him. "I was thinking the most exciting thing I'd do today was put up those bookshelves."

"And I thought I'd be a guinea pig," Jon looked over where his two uncles were laughing at his father by the buffet. "They knew all along what was going on."

Allison smiled. "This is the nicest thing they could have done for us."

"I know," he said. "I love you so much, Al."

"I love you too," Allison said resting her head on his shoulder. "I've never regretted what we've done, Jon. Not ever. We belong together."

"I never regretted it either," Jon said. "I was pretty floored when you agreed to it though."

"You were?" Allison laughed. "Imagine how I felt when you asked."

He grinned at her.

"But, here we are," Allison said before tilting her head toward him. "Married and everyone seems okay with it."

"Everyone IS okay with it," Jon gave her a kiss.

Allison beamed at him. Things had not been easy but she knew that no matter what came their way, they'd face it together.

"And that's how we got our second wedding," Allison finished her story to Emma.

Emma smiled. "I was there."

Allison laughed. "In a way, I suppose you were."

Emma hugged her. "I love you, Mummy."

"I love you too, baby girl," Allison kissed her forehead. "Now into bed with you. Hannah will be up in a moment."

"But Daddy hasn't tucked me in," Emma protested.

"He's with Adam," Allison said. "I'll go send him in here when he's done."

"Promise?" Emma asked.

"I promise," Allison held out her pinkie finger.

Emma grinned and linked her pinkie with her mother's.

"I'll see you in the morning, love." Allison said.

"Bright and early," Emma said in a sing-song voice.

Allison laughed. "That's right."

Allison walked down the hall to the nursery and smiled when she saw her husband telling Adam a bedtime story.

"And so the prince climbed up the tower--" Jon said.

"No," Adam replied.

"The prince grabbed his broom," Jon corrected.

"Ok," Adam said.

Jon grinned. "And flew up to the tower and the princess..."

"No," Adam interjected.

"Adam," Jon laughed.

"The princess was too busy slaying the dragon," Allison said from the doorway.

Adam grinned. "Yes, Mummy!"

"And the prince flew off on his broom for his daily Quidditch match," Allison continued.

Adam clapped his hands.

Jon shook his head. "You've got me beat, Al."

"I know my audience," Allison said winking at him.

"Mummy tell rest of story," Adam said.

"Okay," Allison replied. "Only because Daddy has to go tuck Emma into bed."

"No, Em," Adam said.

"Yes, Em." Jon said. "I'll see you in the morning, champ."

"Night, Daddy!" Adam exclaimed.

"Night son," Jon kissed Adam's forehead.

Jon walked into Emma's bedroom. "I heard you were going to go to bed without a kiss goodnight, Em."

"No way," Emma said.

Jon sat down on the bed. "How's my favourite five year old?"

"Good," Emma said. "Mummy told me how you got married."

"She did, did she?" Jon asked.

Emma nodded. "In the backyard."

Jon smiled at the memory. "Your mummy looked so beautiful that day."

"She always does," Emma said loyally.

"Yes she does," Jon said.

Emma snuggled down and Jon pulled her covers up. "Not too tight, okay?"

"I know just how you like it," Jon said. "Tomorrow, guess what I'm going to do?"

"What?" Emma asked.

Jon grinned. "Waffles."

Emma's eyes grew huge. "That's my FAVOURITE breakfast!"

"Is it?" Jon asked, pretending to be surprised.

"You know that," Emma said happily.

Caroline peeked inside the room. "I just wanted to say good night!"

"Daddy's making waffles tomorrow," Emma told her.

"Ooooh, really?" Caroline asked.

"Sure am," Jon said.

"You're the best, Daddy," Caroline said.

"Of course I am," Jon said.

Caroline giggled. "I was just walking by Adam's room and he was still talking about his big fish."

Jon felt a pang in his stomach. He really wanted to be there to see his son's fish.

"You okay, Daddy?" Caroline asked.

"I’m fine, Angel." Jon said. "Are you off to bed too?"

Caroline nodded. "I'm really sleepy."

"Where are Mia and Katie?" Jon asked.

"Mia's brushing her teeth and Katie's in the bath," Caroline replied. She walked over to her sister. "Night, Em."

"Night Sissy," Emma reached up to hug her.

"Love you bunches and bunches," Caroline said hugging her tightly.

Emma giggled. "Lots of bunches."

Jon gave both his girls another kiss good night before he walked into his and Allison's bedroom.

"So," Allison said looking at him. "Are you going to tell me where you were today?"

"New York," Jon said.

"New York?" Allison asked.

Jon nodded. "Dad and I went to see Hans."

"Which explains his sudden appearance," Allison said thoughtfully.

"At least he came," Jon shrugged. "I was glad for that."

"They looked pretty happy at dinner," Allison commented.

Jon nodded. "You should see his place there, Al. It's pretty incredible."

Allison sat down on their bed. "Oh?"

"It's pretty amazing," he admitted.

"You're pretty amazing for doing that for Darla," Allison said.

"Yeah well she's my sister," Jon said. "I'd do anything for any of them."

Allison smiled. "One of the many things I love about you."

Jon wrapped his arms around his wife. "I love you too, Al."

"Don't feel bad about missing out on today with Adam," Allison said. "You can take him out tomorrow."

"I was going to," Jon nodded. "I hate that I missed him catching that fish."

"He was so proud," Allison said with a grin. "You know it keeps getting bigger every time he tells the story."

Jon laughed. "Wonder where he gets exaggeration from?"

Allison laughed too. "I can't imagine..."

"I told the girls I'd make them waffles in the morning," Jon said. "Wake me up early would you?"

"You're going to bed now?" Allison asked, moving behind him and massaging his shoulders.

"I'm a little tired," Jon admitted.

"You have had a big day," Allison said softly.

"I should take you to New York," Jon said. "They have all sorts of shows there, and food..."

Allison laughed. "Which I'm sure you sampled..."

"Hans gave us a hundred Muggle dollars and Dad and I blew nearly all of it at a bakery." Jon said sheepishly.

Allison wrapped her arms around him. "Don't worry. I promise not to tell Emma."

"I was thinking near the end of the summer, maybe we'd take the kids there for a few days or something," Jon replied.

"Really?" Allison asked. "They'd love that."

"I'll look into it," he promised.

"Jonathan?" Allison whispered.

"Yeah?" he asked her.

"You're not too knackered, are you?" Allison asked nipping at his ear.

He smiled. "No..."

He grabbed her and pulled her around so she was on his lap. "Jon!"

"I thought you liked it when I was like this," he grinned at her.

"I do," Allison said huskily.

He ran his hands up her back and she leaned down over him.

"My Allie," Jon whispered.

She laughed. "Always your Allie, Jon."

266. Chapter 266

Authors’ note: Thanks for the response to the last chapter and the flashback for Jon/Allie. We have more flashbacks planned in the future. But, for now, enjoy Maddie/Ethan/Kiera time!

Ethan sat his daughter in her high chair and looked at her. "What do you feel like this morning baby girl? Oatmeal or Bananas?"

"Ahhh!" Kiera said.

"Oatmeal it is," Ethan said reaching into the cupboard.

"Daaa!" Kiera hit her fist on the tray.

Ethan laughed. "It's coming, Kiera. Be patient."

"What's going on here?" Maddie asked from the door.

"Breakfast," Ethan said. "Good morning, love. Sleep well?"

"Okay," Maddie shrugged. "Ethan--"

"Yeah?" Ethan asked.

"I think I'm pregnant," she said in a rush.

Ethan dropped the bowl that was in his hand.

"DA!" Kiera shouted.

"Say something," Maddie said.

"Y-you're what?" Ethan asked.

"I think I'm pregnant," Maddie said.

"H-how?" Ethan asked. "I mean, I know how---"

"I've been sick several times this week," Maddie said. "And I haven't... I haven't gotten my period in two months now."

"Da!" Kiera exclaimed again.

"I'll make her oatmeal," Maddie said hastily. "She's hungry."

"Mads--" Ethan caught her hand. "Do you know for positive that you're pregnant?"

"I'm pretty positive," Maddie replied. "I can ask Lizzy if she can run a test..."

He squeezed her hand. "Mads... you might be having our baby. Again!"

Maddie nodded and smiled at him. Ethan engulfed her in a huge hug.

"It's great, isn't it?" Maddie asked.

"Amazing," he said, kissing her hard.

"Da!" Kiera exclaimed impatiently.

Ethan laughed. "Sorry, baby."

"Oatmeal coming right up," Maddie said. "And juice..."

"I've got the oatmeal," Ethan said.

"Buh?" Kiera asked looking at Maddie.

"No love," Maddie said to her daughter. "Blue's not here."

"But a baby brother or sister might be," Ethan said happily.

Maddie was glad he was excited. "Soon as Lizzy's up and about I'll ask her what we can do."

"Sounds like a plan," Ethan said setting a bowl of oatmeal before his daughter. "And how about you, Mads? You up for some breakfast?"

"Maybe just some fruit," Maddie replied, screwing the top onto Kiera's cup and giving it to her daughter.

"Ma," Kiera said looking at Maddie for a moment.

Maddie beamed at her. "My smart girl."

Ethan made his wife a fruit plate and then sat down with her. He was too excited to eat.

"Aren't you having anything?" she asked as Kiera stuck her hands into her oatmeal.

"Maybe later," Ethan replied.

Maddie smiled. "I can tell you're dying to go wake Lizzy up."

"I can be patient," Ethan said. "And she is on holiday."

"Very true," Maddie replied.

"So, do you think it's a boy or a girl?" Ethan asked. "Or twins?"

"Oh goodness..." Maddie shook her head. "More twins in the family..."

"Triplets?" Ethan joked.

"Buh!" Kiera said, flinging oatmeal at him.

Maddie laughed. "Kiera."

Ethan flicked his wand and cleaned the oatmeal up.

"Messy girl," Maddie said picking up the spoon. "Let mummy help."

Kiera grinned at her.

Maddie dipped the spoon into the bowl and then held it out to her daughter.

Ethan smiled as Kiera let Maddie feed her.

"I take it we're the first awake this morning?" Maddie asked.

"Sure seems like it," Ethan asked. "It is only half past six."

Maddie yawned at this. "I guess I'm still a little sleepy."

"You can go back to bed," Ethan told her. "I'll feed her and when Lizzy gets up I'll talk to her."

"No, it's okay," Maddie argued.

"You sure?" he asked.

"Absolutely," Maddie replied. "In fact, we could even go and sit outside after Kiera finishes."

"That sounds great," Ethan said as she finished feeding their daughter.

Maddie lifted Kiera out of her chair. "Ethan, can you get her blanket?"

"Sure," Ethan replied. "Let me take her."

Maddie handed Kiera to Ethan. "Mummy's going to bring your juice, baby."

"Da." Kiera replied.

Ethan grinned. "I'm never going to get tired of hearing her say that."

"Me either," Maddie said, following her husband and daughter outside.

Ethan sat down with Kiera and covered her up with her blanket. He kissed the top of her head.

"Remember that first year we got together?" Maddie asked. "We sat out here together while it rained and just talked."

"I remember," Ethan smiled.

"I was so happy," Maddie said. "Hard to believe I'm even happier now."

"It doesn't get any better than this," Ethan said. "This is perfect, Mads."

"Quite so," she agreed, leaning against him.

"It's so peaceful out here," Ethan commented.

"I love it when it's quiet like this," Maddie gazed at the few people jogging along the path and out towards the ocean.

"Me too," Ethan said softly.

"Buh," Kiera said, reaching for her mother.

"I think it's time we brought Blue by for a visit," Maddie said taking her daughter.

"I'm sure we could arrange that for a day," Ethan replied.

"I miss him too," Maddie said.

"I'll get him for you then," Ethan promised.

"Thanks," Maddie said smiling at him.

"Ma, ma, ma..." Kiera said.

Maddie patted Kiera's back and started to hum the lullaby that Blue would sing to the baby.

Ethan smiled at his wife and daughter. "I can't believe we might be having another baby."

"I know I shouldn't get my hopes up," Maddie said. "There's a chance that I'm not pregnant..."

"You think she might be able to tell?" Ethan motioned to Kiera.

"Like she did with Darla?" Maddie asked. She shrugged. "I'm not sure."

"We should try," Ethan replied.

Maddie turned Kiera around so the baby was facing her.

"What do you think, sweetheart?" Maddie asked her daughter. "You see anything?"

Kiera looked up at her mother. "Ma..."

"That's right baby..." Maddie's voice trailed off as her eyes locked onto Kiera's.

Kiera reached her hand out and touched Maddie's stomach.

"Mads!" Ethan tried to control his excitement.

Kiera cooed happily.

"Ethan," Maddie breathed. "I saw... I saw so much!"

"Like what?" Ethan asked eagerly.

"Kids," Maddie said. "Lots of them!"

"Lots of them?" Ethan asked. "Um, how many?"

"I couldn't make out how many... but they were ours. I know they were ours." Maddie blinked back some tears.

Ethan reached for her hand.

"Communicating with her like that... seeing what she sees," Maddie shook her head. "It's unbelievable."

Kiera patted Maddie's stomach again and smiled.

Maddie nodded, her tears spilling over.

"What did they look like?" Ethan asked softly.

"I saw..." Maddie laughed for a moment. "I saw a lot of black hair."

Ethan laughed. "Okay."

"They were all around us," Maddie said, cuddling Kiera close again.

Ethan smiled. "We'll need to get a bigger house."

"Not quite yet," Maddie replied. "I don't want to leave the cottage just yet."

"Me either," Ethan replied. "It's our home and it's the only home Kiera knows."

"It doesn't seem like there's a rush..." Maddie looked mischievously at him. "Our daughters can share a room for a few years--"

Ethan looked back at her. "Daughters? Did you see all little girls, Mads?"

"Not all," Maddie brought his hand to her stomach. "But this one..."

"A girl?" Ethan asked.

"That's what she sensed," Maddie replied.

"Another little girl," Ethan mused.

"For you to spoil," Maddie said as Kiera's eyes blinked closed.

"That always seems to take it out of her," Ethan said patting his daughter's back.

"It can be exhausting," Maddie said softly.

"What does Smythe say about all this?" Ethan asked.

"She thinks it's incredible," Maddie replied. "Wants me to document when it happens."

Ethan was going to say something else when Harry stepped outside. He was dressed in a t-shirt and shorts and looked like he was going to go for a run. "Good morning."

"Hey Dad," Ethan said with a grin.

"Good morning, Harry," Maddie said keeping her voice down so as not to wake Kiera.

"What are you kids doing out here?" Harry asked.

"Kiera woke up early," Ethan replied. "I was feeding her breakfast when Maddie came downstairs."

Harry nodded. "You used to wake us up early too."

"I did the same with my parents," Maddie grinned. "I was always ready to start the day."

Ethan looked at Maddie wondering if they should say anything about her pregnancy just yet.

"Speaking of your parents, your father doesn't want to run today," Harry said. "So I talked Hermione into coming with..."

"Mum?" Ethan asked. "She's going for a run?"

Harry nodded. "We won't be gone too long."

"Mum hates jogging," Ethan said.

"She's with me," Harry said.

Hermione came outside looking sleepy and not too happy.

"Ready?" Harry asked.

"I can't wait," Hermione said sarcastically.

Ethan grinned. "Have fun and behave."

"Come on, Hermione," Harry encouraged. "It's a beautiful day and the sun is just coming up. Perfect for a jog."

"If you say so," Hermione yawned.

"We can do this every morning," Harry said as he stretched.

Hermione rolled her eyes. "I don't know about that."

"We could do it every morning before we go to work," Harry said.

Hermione cast a look at her son, who tried not to laugh.

"Harry," Hermione said. "I don't really like jogging. I much prefer walking...and sleeping in..."

"Yeah but this really gets you going in the morning," Harry replied.

"I'm sure Saffron or RJ or even Seamus would have loved to do this with you," Hermione protested.

"Yeah but you're my wife," Harry replied.

Hermione stood back up and started to stretch. She could tell this obviously meant a lot to Harry.

Harry grinned at her.

Hermione yawned.

"Well, I think we might go back in and get a few more hours of sleep," Ethan said in a smartarse tone.

"Go easy on her, Harry," Maddie said.

"Will do," Harry said, taking his wife's hand.

Hermione looked longingly back at the house.

"Come on," Harry tugged at her hand. Ethan laughed as his father pulled his mother down to the path.

"Poor Hermione," Maddie shook her head.

"If she doesn't want to do it every morning, she won't." Ethan said.

"I know," Maddie said. "Your mum never does anything she doesn't want to do.”

"Exactly," Ethan replied as Kiera cooed in her sleep.

Maddie gingerly carried her daughter back inside. "Let's go back to bed, Ethan," she whispered.

"That sounds like a great idea to me," He said.

"We can talk to Lizzy later," Maddie said. "Right now, I just want to lie down with you and Kiera."

"And our new daughter," Ethan whispered in her ear.

Maddie beamed at him. "Perfect, isn't it?"

"I don't know how it could get much better," he said as she set Kiera into the crib. "I'm going to be here for every moment of this pregnancy, Mads."

Maddie looked at him. "Oh, Ethan."

"I promise," he told her.

Maddie gave him a kiss. "I love you."

"Love you too," he said his arms going around her.

"Let's go back to bed," Maddie whispered.

"You read my mind," he said.

"That's one of my other skills," Maddie said grinning at him.

"What am I thinking right now?" he asked.

Maddie grinned. "I don't think I should say in front of our little girl."

Ethan laughed. "Good point."

"Come on," Maddie took his hand and led him back to their bedroom. In her bedroom, Saffron was wide awake. She'd been awake for quite some time, but she didn't want to move. She loved being here with Andrew. She turned to look at his sleeping face and smiled. He was the best thing that had ever happened to her. Not too many blokes would have stayed around given all the drama that had come her way these last few months. But, he'd never wavered in his support.

She touched the side of his face lightly with her index finger, tracing along his lips.

Saffron smiled as he began to stir.

"What are you doing?" he mumbled.

"I didn't mean to wake you," Saffron apologised.

"It's okay," he smiled drowsily at her.

"How'd you sleep?" Saffron asked softly.

"Like a rock," Andrew answered. "You?"

"I always sleep well next to you," Saffron said cuddling up next to him.

Andrew slid his arms around her. "I like waking up this way."

"We get to do this every day for the rest of our lives," Saffron said.

"We sure do," he agreed, pressing a kiss to her forehead.

"So," Saffron said. "What do you want to do today?"

"I don't know," he said thoughtfully.

"We could go and play golf," Saffron said. "I haven't gone in quite some time."

"That's true," Andrew said. "Not since your grandfather died..."

"I've been thinking about him a lot lately," Saffron said softly. "Him and Gran."

Andrew stroked her hair. "Have you?"

Saffron nodded. "I miss them so much."

"I know you do," Andrew said reassuringly.

Tears welled up in Saffron's eyes.

"Shhh, baby." he said. "It's okay..."

"I'm sorry," Saffron sobbed.

"Don't be sorry," he told her. "You loved them."

"I did," Saffron said burying her face in his shoulder.

"And they knew it," Andrew told her. "I remember how you used to go home every weekend to help take care of your grandfather."

Saffron smiled at the memories. "We had so much fun, Andrew."

"And you always have those to remember," he said.

Saffron nodded. "I'm sorry for turning on the waterworks so much, Andrew. I don't know what's wrong with me."

"It's okay," he told her. "This time of year is probably tough for you."

Saffron nodded. "It is, but having you around helps."

"Good," Andrew kissed her forehead again.

"No more crying, I promise," Saffron said.

Andrew laughed. "Sometimes you need a good cry to feel better. My mum told me that once."

"Your mum was right," Saffron said laughing.

"Come on," Andrew said. "Why don't we go out to breakfast this morning? Just the two of us?"

"I'd love that," Saffron replied.

"Great," Andrew said. "You pick."

"How about Bill's Diner?" Saffron asked. "They have the best pancakes, Andrew."

"Pancakes sound good to me," Andrew gave her a chaste kiss.

"Let's get ready," Saffron said. "We can beat the crowds."

"We can shower together and save a little more time," Andrew said with a grin.

Saffron grinned back. "And we'd save water as well..."

"Very true," he said scooping her up.

"I love you, Andrew," Saffron said.

"Love you too," Andrew said softly.

Saffron gave him a kiss.

"I think we both need to brush our teeth," he said, setting her down in the bathroom.

"Are you saying I have morning breath?" Saffron nudged him.

"So do I," he replied, turning on the water.

Saffron picked up her toothbrush. "Well I didn't want to say anything to hurt your feelings..."

He nudged her.

Saffron laughed. "Only kidding."

They both brushed their teeth and took a quick shower together. Saffron was starving and nearly pulled him down the pavement towards town.

The diner wasn't too crowded to her relief, and before long, they were sitting at a corner booth. Saffron ordered a large glass of orange juice.

"That sounds good," Andrew replied. "I’ll have one too, please."

The waitress nodded. "And do you know what you want to eat?"

"Pancakes," Saffron said. "Lots of them. A double stack, please."

"I'll have the same," Andrew said. "But I could also get a side order of bacon?"

"Ooooh that sounds good too," Saffron said. "Extra crispy please."

The waitress left to place their order and Andrew looked at his fiancée. "Hungry?"

"Starved," Saffron replied. "I feel like I haven't eaten in a week."

She wasn't normally a big eater. Last night, they'd eaten the fish that Josh and the boys had caught.

"Think she'll bring me some toast before the pancakes?" Saffron asked.

Andrew laughed. "Saffy---"

"I can't help it," she said sheepishly.

"How about I go and see if I can nick you some toast?" Andrew asked.

"You'd be the best fiancé ever." Saffron said.

Andrew gave her a kiss on the cheek. "I'll be right back."

"Thank you," Saffron said gratefully.

Saffron did not know what was wrong with her.

"Here you go," Andrew said, sliding a plate in front of her.

Saffron's mouth watered. "That's the best looking toast I've ever seen. Thank you, Andrew."

"Sure," Andrew gave her a strange look.

Saffron quickly spread some strawberry jam on the toast and took a bite.

Andrew sat back and watched her. "You sure you're okay?"

Saffron nodded. "I'm fine. Just hungry is all."

He nodded. "Understandable."

"Do you want some, too?" Saffron asked. "I don't want to hog it all."

"I'll wait for my bacon," Andrew said with a grin.

Saffron laughed. "More for me, then."

Andrew smiled at her. "Whatever you want."

"I'm like RJ right now," Saffron said before she took another bite.

"A bottomless stomach?" he teased.

"Yes," Saffron laughed. "If he could see me now, he'd be proud."

"We'll give him full details later," Andrew said as the waitress brought their food over.

Saffron grinned. "Ooooh!"

"Thanks," Andrew told the waitress as Saffron dove into her meal.

Saffron closed her eyes as she savoured the first bite.

"That good?" he asked her.

"Absolutely," Saffron replied.

"Need anything else?" Andrew asked her.

Saffron shook her head. "No, this is fine. How do you like yours?"

"Great," Andrew replied taking a big bite.

"These are almost as good as Greta's," Saffron said.

"That close, eh?" Andrew asked.

"Nearly," Saffron said grinning back at him.

"So..." Andrew said. "My mum wanted to talk to yours about the wedding reception."

"I was thinking we'd have it in the ballroom," Saffron said referring to the minister's mansion.

"That's what I told her," Andrew said. "She's got a list of our relatives she wanted to pass on."

"Okay," Saffron said before taking another bite of her pancakes.

"And she wants to be sure we have an equal amount of groomsmen and bridesmaids," Andrew replied with a grin. "And she knows a florist and caterer that would do a really good job and give your parents a deal."

"Your mother is really excited about this, isn't she?" Saffron laughed.

"You know she loves you to death," Andrew said. "She's thrilled I finally got off my arse and proposed."

"So was I," Saffron grinned.

"In the most inappropriate setting," Andrew replied.

"It was perfect, Andrew," Saffron said. "I wouldn't have changed a thing about it.”

"Well, seeing as how you said yes, I wouldn't either." Andrew replied.

"You actually thought there was a chance I'd say no?" Saffron asked.

"I think everyone has a doubt," Andrew shrugged.

"Well, you didn't need to worry," Saffron said reaching across the table for his hand. "I love you and I would never have refused you."

Andrew kissed the back of her hand.

"But if you were to have had doubts about me, I would have understood," Saffron said quietly.

"Never, Saffy." he shook his head.

Saffron smiled. "So, we're stuck with each other. For better or for worse."

"Always," he promised her.

"No matter what?" Saffron asked.

"No matter what," Andrew said firmly.

Saffron staved off her tears at his words. She knew he meant them and it made her happy.

He squeezed her hand and went back to eating his own breakfast. Saffron had finished hers and looked at his bacon longingly.

"Would you like the rest of my bacon?" Andrew asked.

"If you don't mind," Saffron said.

Andrew pushed the plate toward her. "There you go."

"You are the best," Saffron devoured it eagerly.

"Sacrificing a few strips of bacon isn't too much for me," Andrew grinned.

"I think I'm stuffed," Saffron said. "I've been craving pancakes since last night."

Andrew laughed. "Well, I will happily take you here every morning."

"Fantastic," Saffron leaned back as Andrew finished his breakfast.

"RJ would be proud," Andrew teased.

"So would Uncle Ron," Saffron patted her stomach.

Andrew reached into his wallet for some Muggle money.

"Thank you," Saffron told him.

"No problem," Andrew said. "Fancy a walk?"

"I'd love that," Saffron replied. "Maybe along the beach before we head back to the house?"

Andrew nodded. "Sounds good to me."

She took his hand in hers as they left the diner and headed back in the general direction of the beach house. "What a gorgeous day," Saffron said.

"And a gorgeous fiancée," Andrew said squeezing her hand.

She smiled at him. "I can tell this is going to be a good day."

"You can?" Andrew asked.

"Yeah," Saffron said. "You know... it was a year ago today that... Gordon..."

Andrew paled. "Saffy, I didn't realise..."

"I know you didn't," Saffron said. "I wasn't going to say anything... but I did because... well I want to prove that I've really put it behind me now."

"You've been so brave," Andrew said softly.

"Not so much at first," Saffron said. "But thanks in large part to you... I've been able to get over everything that's happened to me in the last year."

Andrew pulled her to him. "Saffy..."

"I owe a lot of things to you," Saffron told him.

"I haven't done much," Andrew protested. "I keep thinking I could have done something---"

"You did everything I ever needed you to do," Saffron said. "And more."

Andrew leaned in and kissed her tenderly.

Saffron closed her eyes as he brushed his lips over hers.

Andrew cursed himself for forgetting that this was the anniversary of her kidnapping. He had been so proud of her these last few days. He knew it was hard for her to be back here. But, he also knew that Brighton held a special place in her heart and she wasn't going to let one bad memory spoil it.

"Come on," he said. "We were going for a walk, then head back and maybe we can snag the boat for a little while before someone else does."

Saffron grinned. "That sounds perfect."

"Good," he said, pulling her close. They walked back, his arm around her shoulders and hers around his waist.

While Saffron and Andrew enjoyed their morning, Hermione was clutching her side and trying to catch her breath. Harry's idea of a brisk jog in town had turned into a death march.

"Come on, Granger!" Harry called out encouragingly.

"You..." Hermione gasped. "Stop... calling... me... that..."

Harry jogged back over to her, a grin on his face. "We just have a little ways to go...you can do this!"

She glared at him.

"You'll thank me when we're done," Harry said. "Come on...if you stand still like that, you'll get a cramp."

"Too late," she grumbled.

Hermione wished she'd brought along her wand so she could hex him. They'd run about five miles and he was perfectly fine.

"Come on," Harry jogged backwards.

Hermione willed her legs to move again.

"There you go," Harry said encouragingly.

Hermione followed him wondering why the house seemed to be so bloody far away.

"You can do it," he said. "Just to the house. You're almost there!"

Hermione gasped. She hadn't realised how out of shape she was.

"Hermione?" he asked worriedly as she stopped again. Perhaps he'd pushed her too far...

"I'm---I'm o-kay," Hermione stammered.

"You can make it," Harry said.

Hermione nodded, but was unable to speak.

Harry took her hand in his and squeezed it.

She cursed herself for the murderous thoughts she'd had about him throughout the run. He really was trying to help and encourage her. This just wasn't something she did or ever planned to do again.

She barely made it back to the house- collapsing in one of the chairs just outside the door.

"I'll go and get you some water," Harry said.

"Thank you," She said, trying to catch her breath.

Harry ran into the kitchen and grabbed two bottles of water from the icebox.

"Morning," Jon looked up from where he was making waffles.

"Morning," Harry said distractedly.

"Everything okay?" Jon asked.

Harry nodded. "Hermione and I went for a run. She's a little winded."

"Tell her I made extra waffles if she wants any," Jon offered.

"Thanks, Jon," Harry said hurrying back outside. He handed his wife the bottle. "Here, love."

"Thanks," Hermione seemed to have regained the use of her lungs as she gulped half the bottle down.

"I'm sorry," Harry apologised.

Hermione just shook her head as she leaned back in the chair.

"You did really well," Harry encouraged.

"I did not," Hermione said. "I barely held it together. And I'm not doing that again."

Harry sat down beside her. "We could try a walk next time."

"A walk might be nice," Hermione replied, letting her head fall on his shoulder.

"I might have been a little over-zealous," Harry admitted. "I overdid it."

"Yes you did," Hermione agreed. "Is this how you are with Ron?"

"Yeah, but I might have baited him a lot more than I did you," Harry said.

"Harry," Hermione frowned at him.

"We're blokes," Harry said sheepishly. "That's what we do."

Hermione shook her head. "Glad I'm not one."

"So am I," Harry said putting his arm around her. "You are all woman, Hermione."

"Glad you noticed," Hermione said wryly.

Harry chuckled. "So do you forgive me?"

"This time, anyways," Hermione's lips curved up slightly.

Harry stood up and walked behind the chair. He started to massage her shoulders. "Does this help?"

"Yes," she closed her eyes.

Harry smiled. "Good."

"You know..." Hermione said after a few minutes. "A shower might be nice."

Harry grinned. "Yes, it does."

"And..." Hermione leaned back and looked up at him. "A shower with you would be even nicer..."

Harry kissed her. "You always have the best ideas."

"That's why they made me Minister," Hermione said.

Harry grinned. "I'll even carry you upstairs."

"My hero," Hermione batted her eyes.

He picked her up effortlessly. "That's me."

He carried her up the stairs without anyone seeing, and shut the door to their bedroom

"I never would have made it up those stairs," Hermione laughed.

"I wouldn't have let you fall," Harry said in her ear.

"I know," Hermione said as he carried her into the bathroom.

He got the water running at just the right temperature as Hermione lifted her shirt.

"Need some help?" Harry asked.

"If you want," Hermione replied.

"I want," Harry replied, his eyes darkening.

Hermione smiled and lifted her arms.

Harry made fast work of her shirt and bra.

Hermione barely got his shirt off before she attacked his mouth with hers.

Her actions had taken Harry by surprise, but he quickly got into the moment. With a wave of his hand, he placed a silencing charm on the bathroom.

"Good idea," Hermione said against his lips.

"I know you," Harry said huskily. "I know how you get when I do...this."

Her breath caught in her throat as Harry's hand brushed lightly over her abdomen.

Harry grinned before he kissed her again.

Hermione wrapped her arms around him and pulled him into the shower.

"You seem to have found a second wind," Harry said.

"Mmmhmmm..." Hermione said.

Harry kissed her again.

The hot water and Harry's kisses warmed her from head to toe and made her sore tired muscles un-knot.

Some time later, the two of them came out of the bathroom, wrapped in towels. "I feel so much better," Hermione said looking sideways at Harry.

"Me too," Harry said with a grin.

"That's a form of exercise that I don't mind at all," Hermione said giving him a kiss.

"I'll keep that in mind," Harry said.

"The jogging you can leave to Ethan and Saffy," Hermione said. "They'd love to go running with you."

"Oh yeah?" Harry asked. "Maybe I'll take them tomorrow."

"With those two it would probably turn into a race," Hermione laughed.

Harry laughed too. "Probably," he said, reaching for some clean clothes.

Hermione walked over to the bedside table to look at her calendar. She wanted to make sure nothing was on her agenda for the day. As she looked at the date, she felt as if she'd been hit in the stomach. "Harry? Do you know what today is?"

"Hm?" Harry asked. "No..."

"It was a year ago today," Hermione said quietly. "Saffy..."

"Shite," Harry said. "I didn't even realise--"

"Neither did I," Hermione said. "We should check on her..."

"Right," Harry replied, yanking his t-shirt over his head.

Hermione quickly dressed. She wanted to make sure her daughter was holding up well. This couldn't be an easy day for her.

They went down to Saffron and Andrew's room and she knocked softly on the door. "Saffy?"

"Are you looking for Saffy?" Alexa asked coming up behind them.

"Oh-- good morning Alexa," Hermione said. "Yes we were..."

"She and Andrew are downstairs," Alexa told them. "If you hurry, you can catch them before they leave."

"Where are they going?" Harry asked.

"They're going out on the boat," Alexa replied.

"Oh," Hermione shared a surprise look with Harry. "Thanks..."

"Come on," Harry said reaching for her hand.

"Saffy," Hermione called as she saw her daughter and Andrew heading for the front door.

"Hi, Mum," Saffron said turning around. "What's going on?"

"Are you okay?" Hermione asked.

Saffron looked at Andrew before she answered. "I'm fine, Mum. No worries."

"But today..." Hermione cast a look at her husband. "It's--"

"I know," Saffron interjected. "But, I'm okay with it. I have a wonderful family and I'm not going to let Gordon Devereaux ruin my holiday."

Harry smiled. "That's my girl."

Saffron stepped forward and hugged him. "Love you, Daddy."

"I love you too," Harry kissed the top of her head.

"You're back with us and that's all that matters," Hermione said wiping at her eyes. "I'm so proud of you, my brave girl."

"Thanks Mum," Saffron said. "It's because of all of you that I'm able to handle everything that's happened."

"We'd do anything for you, you know that," Hermione said giving her a hug. "I don't know what I would have done if you'd--"

"Hermione," Harry put a hand on his wife's arm. "Let's not dredge it back up..."

Hermione nodded. "Right. This is a happy day."

"I hope its okay that Andrew and I take the boat out for a few hours," Saffron said. "We won't hog it the whole day."

"Of course it's fine," Harry told her.

"Thanks," Saffron said, taking Andrew's hand.

"I'll make sure she behaves," Andrew said dryly.

"Yeah right," Saffron said with a laugh.

"Have fun," Hermione called after them.

Saffron felt happy as she and Andrew hurried over to the dock.

"This is a good day," Andrew commented as he watched Saffron.

She nodded. "Quite so."

Andrew untied the ropes docking the boat to the pier. "Well, that's because you get to spend it with me," he said with a cocky grin.

"That's the best part," she smiled at him.

"Start her up," Andrew called out to her.

Saffron sat down behind the wheel and turned the key.

Andrew came up behind her and put his hands on her shoulders.

"Mind if I drive for a bit?" she asked him.

"Not at all," Andrew replied.

"Great," Saffron said as he slid his arms down around her waist.

Andrew kissed the top of her head.

Saffron sighed happily as she steered the boat towards the open ocean.

"Not as romantic as the midnight cruise we had the other night," Andrew whispered in her ear.

"That was amazing," Saffron said.

"You were amazing," Andrew said softly.

Saffron stopped the boat and turned around so she could face him.

Andrew smiled at her. "What?"

"You're always amazing," she said softly.

Andrew gave her a kiss. "I love you, Saffy."

"I love you too," Saffron said. "And I can't wait until we're married."

"Me either," Andrew agreed. "Speaking of which, where would you like to go on your honeymoon, Mrs. Soon to Be Kirke?"

"I don't know," Saffron said thoughtfully. "Nick and Julie went to Fiji and loved it. But Ethan and Maddie had a blast in the Caymans and Cabo San Lucas."

"So, you'd like to go somewhere warm then?" Andrew asked nudging her.

"That would be nice." Saffron leaned against him.

"You in a bikini is always nice," Andrew said with a grin.

"You've seen me in less now," Saffron reminded him.

Andrew grinned even wider. "Yes, I have."

Saffron leaned up and gave him a kiss.

"Saffron Grace," Andrew murmured.

"Yes?" she asked, her lips brushing against his.

"Do you know what I'm thinking?" Andrew asked.

"Maybe," she said.

Andrew pulled her closer.

"I'm all yours," she said softly.

Andrew trailed kisses down her neck.

She murmured something unintelligible in her throat as she let her head fall back.

"Saffron," Andrew whispered against her skin.

He led her over to the seat, his lips still pressed against hers.

He untied her bikini top and Saffron hoped no other boats would come by as he dropped her top on the floor.

"This okay?" Andrew whispered.

"Very," she said softly.

Andrew grinned. "I think so too."

She ran her hands up and down his bare back, sliding her fingers into his swim costume and tugging it down.

Andrew let out a groan. "Saffy..."

She grinned mischievously at him.

Andrew kissed her again. She knew just what to do which was driving him absolutely crazy.

Saffron arched her back as he removed the rest of her bikini.

"No one can see," Andrew reassured her.

"I know," she said softly.

Andrew kissed her again.

"Please," she heard herself ask. "Now... Andrew."

Andrew's eyes darkened as he looked down at her.

"What is it?" she asked.

"You're just so beautiful," Andrew said. "So...beautiful."

She smiled up at him.

Andrew smiled back at her as he positioned himself over her. He didn't want to be rough with her though he was nearly crazy with desire for her.

"Please..." she hissed through clenched teeth, her body already ready for him.

Andrew slowly pressed into her. "Saffy..."

She breathed deeply, arching her back against him again.

Andrew groaned. His thoughts of being gentle were thrown out the door when she did things like that.

"Ooooh," she said, her eyes meeting his.

Andrew pressed further into her. He would have cried out her name but she looped her arms around his neck and pulled his face down to hers for a kiss.

"Andrew," she whispered as they moved against each other. "I love you so... so... much..."

"I love you too," Andrew said. "More than anything..."

Tears filled her eyes as they climaxed together.

"Speaking of amazing," Andrew whispered.

"That always is," Saffron said as he moved to her side.

"Always," Andrew agreed. Saffron rested her head on his chest.

"That was probably just what I needed after that breakfast." she said.

"It's certainly my favourite form of exercise," Andrew joked.

She smiled and reached down for her bikini.

"Practise for the honeymoon," Andrew said winking at her.

"Exactly," Saffron replied.

Andrew quickly got dressed and then helped Saffron with the ties of her bikini top.

"Thanks," she said as his hands lingered on her skin.

"Always happy to help," Andrew said softly.

"Let's stay out here a little while longer," Saffron said. "Talk about the wedding..."

"Okay," Andrew replied. "What do you want to talk about?"

"Your bachelor party?" Saffron raised an eyebrow. "What's RJ planning?"

"He mentioned going to a club or a pub," Andrew hedged.

"And..." Saffron pressed.

"And having a drink or two," Andrew said. "Wow, would you look at that sun..."

"Andrew..." Saffron said. "He's taking you to the Veela Snatch isn't he?"

"The what?" Andrew asked.

"The strip club," Saffron said.

"He didn't give me any specifics," Andrew lied.

She gave her fiancé a look.

"Okay, okay," Andrew said. "He said we might stop in..."

"I knew it," Saffron replied.

"I'm sure Lexie and Beth and Mimi have something planned for you too," Andrew countered.

"I trust you," Saffron replied. "I guess I don't mind if you go as long as you don't let any of them touch you."

"I wouldn't," Andrew promised. "You know that. I'm not going to do anything to ruin the best thing that ever happened to me."

"Me either," Saffron said.

Andrew grinned. "So we're okay with the party then?"

"Yeah," she said. "We're okay."

"And my mum said something about us having to register," Andrew said. "For gifts?"

"Oh..." Saffron said. "I guess we should go do that."

"I really would like the new racing gloves I saw in Quidditch Weekly," Andrew said thoughtfully.

Saffron laughed. "I think we're supposed to register for things for the two of us... or for our house."

"Oh," Andrew said sheepishly. "I see..."

"I'll get you the gloves," Saffron said. "We should do something fun and get wedding gifts for each other."

Andrew grinned. "That could be fun."

"Definitely," she agreed.

"Mrs. Kirke," Andrew said with a larger grin.

"You know I don't have to take your name," Saffron pointed out. "I could be Saffron Kirke-Potter. Or you could be really forward thinking and be Andrew Potter. What do you think of that?”

Saffron threw her head back and laughed. "I'm sure THAT would go over well with your team mates."

"Oh yeah," Andrew said rolling his eyes. "They'd never let me hear the end of it."

"I don't mind taking your last name at all," Saffron said.

Andrew grinned. "I'm glad."

"It sounds perfect," Saffron said, giving him a kiss.

"You know we should do something special for Lexie before she leaves for the states," Andrew said thoughtfully.

"That would be fun," Saffron agreed.

"What do you think she'd like?" Andrew asked.

“Probably a party with close friends and family," Saffron said. "She's not one for big bashes."

"That sounds great," Andrew said. "You, me, Aud, RJ, Gabe, Mimi, Jake, Beth, Peter and her parents. We could see if Jon would let us have one of the rooms at the pub."

"Perfect," Saffron said. "We'll plan it for late this summer right before she goes."

"Can't believe she's actually going, can you?" Andrew asked putting his arm around her.

"No," Saffron shook her head.

"You and Lex have always been like sisters," Andrew said squeezing Saffron's shoulder.

"It'll just be more long distance now." Saffron said.

"And you can call her or Apparate over anytime you want," Andrew said.

"Right," Saffron leaned against him again, closing her eyes as the warm sun washed over her.

"Everything's going to be fine, Saffy," Andrew reassured her. "I promise."

"I know," she said. "It has to be."

"It will be," Andrew said. "We're together and nothing in the world can change that."

"Especially once we're married," she said.

Andrew grinned. "Exactly."

"We should head back soon," Saffron said reluctantly. "We did promise not to hog the boat."

"And the kids want to spend time with their Sassy," Andrew joked. "They wouldn't want me to hog you."

Saffron laughed. "They do cheer me up when I'm feeling down."

"They adore you," Andrew said.

"I love them to death," Saffron said. "But you're still my favourite."

Andrew laughed. "I am?"

"Always," she said.

267. Chapter 267

Authors’ note: Something HUGE happens in this chapter. Some of you might have saw it coming…but we just ask that you read the second authors’ note at the end of the chapter.

They arrived back on the dock a few minutes later and were greeted by Brian, Chloe, and Drew. Chloe squirmed in her father's arms when she saw Saffron. "Daddy, let down! Want Sassy!" Chloe squealed.

"Just a minute, munchkin," Brian said. "They need to tie the boat up first."

"SASSY!" Chloe screamed.

Saffron waved. "Hi Chloe!"

Andrew quickly tied the boat and then Saffron jumped out so she could see Chloe. Brian set his daughter down and the little girl toddled over to where Saffron stood. Saffron swung her up into her arms. "Hey, munchkin. I was wondering where you were!"

"Having waffles," Chloe told her. "They were YUMMY!"

"Did you have loads and loads of syrup on them too?" Saffron asked.

Chloe nodded. "And one with stawberry!"

"That does sound good," Saffron said tickling the little girl's side. "Did you save any for your Aunt Darla?"

"Em wanted to eat them all," Chloe giggled.

Saffron laughed. "Em always wants to eat them all. I bet Adam didn't like that."

"No," Chloe shook her head.

"He threw a napkin at her," Brian told Saffron. "And then Em started to cry which made Casey cry and then Noah and Aidan joined in..."

"Oh no..." Saffron bit her lip to keep from grinning at the scenario.

"I hate that we missed that," Andrew said dryly.

"We heard you two ducked out for pancakes," Drew smiled at them. "Good choice."

Saffron grinned. "We did. It was soooooo good."

"Sassy?" Chloe asked. "When do I get to be flower girl?"

Drew looked at Saffron. "She's so excited about that."

"Soon as we pick a date I'll tell you," Saffron said. "And then we get to find you a beautiful dress!"

"Darla and I had some ideas we wanted to run past you," Drew told Saffron. "If you wanted to meet after lunch, we could go over them."

"I'd love that," Saffron replied. "Do you need Andrew there too?"

"He can join us if he wants, but it's nothing too important," Drew replied.

"You don't have to go then," Saffron looked at him.

Andrew sighed in relief. "Good. I mean, not that I wouldn't want to--"

"There are better things to do," Saffron said with a grin.

"RJ and I can find something to do," Andrew said.

"Why don't you go fishing?" Drew suggested.

"That sounds like a great idea," Andrew said. "Brian, you in?"

"Sure," Brian said. "Sounds like fun."

"Not to me," Drew scrunched up her nose. "But you boys..."

"Hans might want to come," Brian said, not looking at his wife.

Drew snorted. "Not unless the boat was equipped with thousands of mirrors so he could admire himself."

"He hasn't left Darla's side since arriving," Brian pointed out.

"He's been here a day," Drew countered.

"And he hasn't left her side," Brian said in Hans's defence.

Drew rolled her eyes.

"I need to use the loo," Saffron said hastily, hoping to ward off a fight.

"I need to go and find RJ," Andrew said, catching on. "We'll meet you out here in a bit, Brian."

"Sure sounds good," Brian told him.

Drew took Chloe back from Saffron. She looked over at her husband once they were alone. "I can't just forget what he's done, Brian."

"But you should really keep from saying things about him with other people around," Brian told her. "He knows you don't like him."

"I used to like him," Drew said. "Until he screwed things up royally."

"I think Darla should be the judge on whether or not she wants him around," Brian said.

"She's not thinking clearly," Drew argued. "Her hormones--"

"Drew," Brian looked at her. "Come on..."

"Okay," Drew relented. "I'll be nice. Or at least I'll try."

"Mummy always tells me to be nice," Chloe said.

"And she's going to practise what she preaches," Brian said putting his arm around Drew.

Chloe giggled. "That sounds funny."

"Oh yeah?" Brian asked, tickling her.

"Yeah!" Chloe laughed. "Daddy!"

Brian grinned. "Come on then. Let's go back to the house."

"I hope they all stopped crying," Chloe said.

"I should hope so by now," Drew remarked.

“Look!" Chloe pointed. "The castle is gone!"

"Oh," Brian said. "Well, we can build another one."

"But it won't be the same," Chloe frowned.

"But you always have a picture of it," Brian pointed out. "Remember? And you and the princesses can build an even bigger one."

"Oh," Chloe cheered up. "A bigger one!"

"The biggest one Brighton has ever seen," Brian grinned at her. "Biggest and prettiest and fit for a princess."

"I want to live in it," Chloe told him.

"What about your mum and me?" Brian asked. "Where would we live?"

"In the moat?" Chloe asked.

Drew laughed. "In the moat with the dragon?"

"No dragon," Chloe said.

"Well, that's a relief," Drew said.

“There's a crocodile," Chloe replied.

"A crocodile?" Brian asked. "You'd put us up with a crocodile?"

"He's nice," Chloe answered.

"A nice crocodile?" Drew asked. "Well, that's a good thing, I suppose."

"He's like Uncle Charlie," Chloe said.

Drew smiled. "Well, that means he's a very nice crocodile."

Chloe nodded emphatically.

"You gonna live in that castle all by yourself?" Brian asked as he carried her back toward the house.

"No," Chloe replied. "For princesses."

"You better have lots of food for Emma," Drew teased.

“It's a magic kitchen," Chloe said. "Always food."

"Sounds like the Burrow," Brian commented.

Chloe clapped her hands. "Right, Daddy!"

Drew laughed as she followed them up the walk. The smile on her face faded when she saw Darla and Hans sitting on the deck. Darla was drinking some juice and Hans was massaging her feet.

Brian nudged her.

“Hi," Drew said forcing a smile. "How are you, Hans?"

He looked up in surprise. "Fine... Drew. Yourself?"

"I'm great," Drew said. "We missed you at breakfast."

"Jon set aside some waffles for us," Darla said. "They were delicious."

"You weren't here for the cry fest," Brian shook his head. "Be glad you missed it."

"We heard about it," Darla said.

Hans moved to Darla's other foot and she laughed. "Tickles, Hans!"

"I know," Hans grinned back at her.

Chloe wiggled her fingers. "Aunt Dar ticklish!"

"Come on, Chloe," Hans said. "Get her other foot!"

"Oh no!" Darla said.

Brian took Drew's hand and they sat down and watched Hans and Chloe tickle Darla's feet.

Darla was laughing so hard she had to pull herself up straight. "Not fair!"

Drew reluctantly had to admit she hadn't seen her sister this happy in quite some time.

"Now I have to use the loo again," Darla said.

Hans took the glass of juice from her. "Hurry back, love."

"I will," Darla pushed herself up off the seat.

There was a bit of an awkward silence as the three adults and Chloe sat across from each other.

"Uncle Hands are you staying?" she asked.

"I am for a couple of days," Hans told her.

"Yay!" Chloe said. "I love when you stay!"

Hans grinned. "Me too."

"Darla does as well," Drew said before she could stop herself.

Hans looked over at her. "Well, then I guess we're all happy then."

"Good," Drew replied.

"Beautiful day, isn't it?" Brian commented.

"Quite so," Hans agreed. "Dar and I are going for a walk later."

"That sounds like fun," Brian said. "I'm going fishing with RJ and Andrew."

"Oh yeah?" Hans asked.

"You're welcome to come with," Brian offered.

"Thanks but I'm going to stay with Dar," Hans replied.

Drew couldn't resist rolling her eyes.

"Come on," Brian said quietly to her.

"So, how are things Hans?" Drew asked.

"Busy," Hans answered. "I have a few talk shows to do when I get back and some more shoots lined up."

"You'll need to let us know when they're on," Brian said. "So we can see."

"I will," Hans nodded.

"Do you want to live in the moat, Uncle Hands?" Chloe asked.

"In the moat?" he asked.

Chloe explained to him about the sand castle. "Mummy, Daddy, and you can live in there with the crocodile."

"Sure," Hans laughed as Chloe climbed onto his lap. "The moat sounds perfect."

"He's a nice crocodile," Chloe reassured him. "And he wouldn't hurt you."

"Good to know," Hans kissed the top of her head.

Chloe beamed at him.

"I always did like that smile," Hans tweaked her nose.

Chloe giggled. "Uncle Hands is funny, isn't he, Mummy?"

Drew smiled tightly but didn't respond.

"What do you say, Dar?" Hans asked looking at his wife. "You up for the beach today?"

Darla made a face. "Long as no one makes any beached whale comments."

"If they do, they'll have to answer to me," Hans grinned at her.

"I'll go change," Darla pushed herself up.

"Yay!" Chloe exclaimed, clapping her hands.

"I'd better change too," Hans said. "Come on Dar."

Chloe followed them out of the kitchen, leaving Brian and Drew alone.

"Thank you," Brian said to his wife. "I know that wasn't easy for you."

Drew shrugged. "Long as he keeps her happy, I won't say a word."

"That's my girl," Brian said giving her a kiss.

"We should go get Chloe ready," Drew said. "She'll have half a suit on if we don't help."

Brian laughed. "Our little fashion diva?"

"You've got that right," Drew said dryly.

"She's just like her mum," Brian said squeezing her hand.

"I hardly feel like a fashion diva these days," Drew replied.

"You're the most beautiful woman here and you know it," Brian said.

"Flatterer," Drew nudged him.

"I mean every word," Brian said leading her out of the kitchen. The two of them nearly collided with Ethan and Maddie. Drew looked at her sister. "What are you grinning about?"

The pair looked at each other and laughed. "We're going to have another baby," Maddie announced.

"WHAT?" Drew shrieked.

"We just found out for sure," Ethan squeezed his wife's hand.

"That's fantastic!" Drew exclaimed giving her sister a hug. "I'm so happy for you both!"

"Kiera told us," Maddie gushed. "Just like she told Darla. I mean... I suspected it this morning when I woke up, but she... she gave me a vision. It was incredible!"

Brian grinned. "That's quite a little girl you have. Where is the little seer at anyway?"

"She's with Saffy," Maddie replied. "We were just headed down to tell everyone the good news."

Drew grinned. "We'll see you on the beach! Mum and Dad are going to be so happy!"

Maddie hugged her sister again before continuing downstairs to the sitting room.

"Ethan James Potter, Junior," Ethan said to his wife.

"Ethan, we don't even know if it's going to be a boy yet," Maddie reminded him.

"That's true," Ethan said. "You did say you saw a girl..."

"And we have loads of time to come up with names," Maddie said happily.

"So not Dolly?" Ethan teased her.

Maddie laughed. "There's only one Dolly."

"Thankfully," Ethan joked.

"Of course, I did name all of my dolls and pets that back then didn't I?" Maddie linked her arm in his.

"Madeline Junior?" Ethan asked.

Maddie laughed. "I wouldn't do that to her."

"What's wrong with your name?" Ethan asked.

"Our daughter's unique and she needs a unique name," Maddie replied.

"True," Ethan nodded. "And as you said- we have loads of time to come up with one."

"Let's go and tell everyone!" Maddie exclaimed. "Come on!"

Ethan laughed as she yanked on his arm. "All right!"

Saffron was sitting with Kiera on a blanket rolling a plastic ball in the little girl's direction. "Catch it, Kiera!"

Kiera giggled and reached for it.

"Good girl!" Harry encouraged.

Kiera sent him a toothy little smile.

Hermione laughed. "You hear that? That's the sound of her wrapping you around her little finger."

"We should get used to it, eh Dad?" Ethan asked.

Harry nodded. "Absolutely."

"Don't you two look smug," Saffron teased.

"Not us," Ethan said innocently. He watched as his daughter crawled toward Saffron.

"What's going on?" Hermione asked, looking up from the thick tome she was perusing.

"Maddie and I have some good news," Ethan said putting his arm around his wife. "We're going to have another baby!"

Everyone looked up in shock.

"Ethan!" Hermione exclaimed.

"We just found out," Maddie said. "I had an idea this morning but then Lizzy just checked me over."

"Congratulations!" Saffron grinned at the two of them.

"Thanks brat," Ethan said. "We're pretty excited."

Kiera squirmed in Saffron's arms, but Saffron was preoccupied listening to Ethan and Maddie.

"We think it's going to be a girl again," Ethan continued.

"You're outnumbered!" Saffron teased.

"That's all right," Ethan laughed. "I don't mind a house of beautiful girls."

"As beautiful as this one," Saffron said kissing the top of Kiera's head.

Kiera squirmed again and Saffron figured she was holding the little girl too tightly.

"You're going to be a big sister," Maddie said taking the little girl from Saffron. Kiera let out a cry.

"What's wrong love?" Ethan asked, reaching for her.

"Its past time for her kip," Maddie said looking at her watch.

"I'll take her up," Ethan stood.

Kiera let out a piercing cry and held her hand out to Saffron. Saffron stood up. "Its okay, Kiera. We can play again after your kip."

Kiera reached for Saffron, her little face screwed up.

"Off to bed with you, Miss Cranky Nappy," Ethan said patting his daughter's back.

Saffron bit her lip as Kiera's cries echoed through the corridor.

"She's never acted like that," Maddie said thoughtfully. "I guess being up here has thrown her schedule off a bit."

"I'm sure that's all," Hermione reassured her.

"Are you sure she's okay?" Saffron asked, wondering if she should have been the one to put her niece down.

"Ethan's good at getting her to kip," Maddie told her.

"He gets that from me," Harry said proudly.

"He does," Hermione nodded. "Harry was great with all three kids."

"That's because he's a big kid himself," Saffron said snatching her father's glasses.

"Saffy," Harry complained.

Saffron folded her arms and gave her most stern "Harry" face. "I WANT THOSE PAPERS ON MY DESK NOW!"

Hermione and Maddie burst out laughing as Harry scowled.

"I do not sound like that!" Harry protested.

"Yes you do," Hermione said. "I've heard it."

Saffron struggled to keep a straight face as she paced much like her father did when he was frustrated.

Maddie had to sit down she was laughing so hard. "She has you down, Harry."

"No she doesn't," Harry complained.

"Dad," Saffron said taking off his glasses and handing them back. "You know I only tease where I love."

"You're lucky," Harry set them on his nose.

Saffron gave him a hug.

"Love you baby," Harry kissed the top of her head.

"She's been a lifesaver," Maddie said grinning at her sister-in-law. "She's helped so much with Kiera."

"It's purely selfish," Saffron replied. "I want to spend as much time with her as I can."

"She apparently wants that too," Hermione said smiling at her daughter.

"Fine by me," Saffron sat down on the sofa.

In the nursery, Ethan was still trying to calm Kiera. "Sweetheart, come on. It's time for your kip. You can't keep crying like this..."

His daughter's little face was red and Ethan was concerned. He wondered if she was having a reaction to something she'd eaten.

Ethan picked her up from the crib and sat down with her on the rocking chair. "There, there."

Kiera stared straight up at him, her face pink and her cheeks streaked with tears.

"What's wrong, little one?" Ethan asked softly. "Hmm?"

She let out a choked little sob and if Ethan hadn't known better, he'd have thought she was frustrated.

Ethan started to sing a little of the lullaby Maddie would sing to Kiera.

It seemed to work. Her face relaxed and her eyes began to blink closed.

"That's my girl," Ethan whispered.

He gazed down at his daughter's now peaceful expression. Sometimes he still couldn't believe he was a father. He couldn't believe he and Maddie had created something this perfect.

"You're going to be a big sister," Ethan whispered.

He carefully stood up and set Kiera into her crib. "You're going to be a great big sister," he told her softly. "I don't have to read minds to know that."

He kissed her on the forehead. "Sweet dreams, Kiera Faith."

Ethan went back downstairs, baby monitor in hand. "Finally went down," he said.

"Is she okay?" Saffron asked. "I was worried..."

Ethan nodded. "Just cranky."

"Good," Saffron said smiling at him.

"So, another baby," Hermione said. "I think that's just wonderful!"

"Another granddaughter to spoil," Ethan said.

"Liz told me I'm already about four months along," Maddie replied.

"Wow," Saffron said. "Really?"

"I didn't even start getting sick until earlier this week," Maddie said.

"Well, this is wonderful news," Harry said. "Have you told your parents yet, Maddie?" Maddie shook her head. "I was wondering where they were. Have you seen them?"

"They're probably on the beach with everyone else," Hermione said.

"Come on, Mads," Ethan said. "Let's go and tell them the good news."

"Okay," Maddie said, taking his hand. "You've got the monitor?"

"I'll watch out for her," Saffron offered.

"Thanks brat," Ethan tossed it to her. "We won't be long."

Saffron smiled. "Take as long as you want."

"Maybe we'll go for a walk," Maddie said.

"Enjoy it while you can," Saffron said. "Before too long, you'll have two babies to keep you on your toes."

"Then we'll just hire you to baby-sit more often," Ethan called back.

Saffron laughed. Her parents excused themselves to go and get a snack. Saffron decided she'd go upstairs and grab a book and peek in on Kiera.

She stuck her head around the door and saw her niece sleeping peacefully in her crib.

Saffron smiled as she watched her.

"What was going on down there, Kiera?" she asked softly.

Kiera's eyes opened suddenly and she looked at Saffron. She didn't cry though to Saffron's great relief.

"Hi there," Saffron whispered.

Kiera gave her a toothy smile.

Saffron carefully lifted her up and sat down in the rocking chair. "Let's see if I can get you back to sleep before your mum and dad know I woke you up."

Kiera let out a slight laugh as she settled down with Saffron.

"What's so funny?" Saffron asked softly.

The baby cooed softly as she looked up at her aunt.

Saffron patted her back.

Kiera reached out one small hand and touched Saffron on the stomach.

"Buh," Kiera murmured.

"Are you looking for Blue?" Saffron asked fondly.

Kiera looked up at her aunt with wide eyes.

"What is it, love?" Saffron asked her.

Kiera patted Saffron's stomach again.

"I know," Saffron said. "Your mummy's pregnant."

Kiera smiled again at Saffron.

Saffron's eyebrows knit together. "What's wrong love?"

Kiera set her head down on Saffron's shoulder.

"I love you too, sweetheart," Saffron told her niece.

Kiera sighed in contentment and Saffron smiled.

Saffron closed her eyes too. "Maybe I'll kip with you, Kiera."

Kiera cooed happily.

Saffron rubbed the back of Kiera's back in a soothing manner.

For some reason, Saffron thought about one day sitting in this same nursery holding her own daughter or son.

It would have her eyes- the same eyes as her father and grandmother- but it would definitely have Andrew's smile.

"And he or she will be as sweet and loved as you are," Saffron said softly to Kiera.

Kiera cooed again and patted Saffron's stomach.

Saffron's eyes blinked open.

Kiera touched her stomach again and smiled.

"I can't be," Saffron shook her head.

Kiera insistently patted Saffron's stomach.

"Baby?" Saffron asked, her voice shaking.

"Buh," Kiera gurgled.

"But..." Saffron shook her head. "I can't be. I can't be pregnant! Maddie's pregnant, not me!"

Kiera patted Saffron's stomach again. "Buh!"

Saffron stared at her, a sick feeling settling in her gut. Her niece hadn't been wrong in a prediction yet...

"Saffron?" Hermione's voice called out from the hall. "Are you up here, love?"

"Um..." Saffron jumped. "I'm just in here with the baby..."

"I thought you'd be," Hermione said smiling at her.

"She woke up so I was just putting her back to sleep," Saffron hurriedly but carefully put Kiera back in her crib.

"You look a little pale," Hermione commented. "Are you alright?"

"Just a little tired," Saffron said. "Maybe I'll go get some fresh air."

Hermione nodded. "I'll keep an eye on Kiera."

Saffron nodded. "Thanks."

Saffron made a move for the door, but turned and looked at her mother. "Have you---have you seen Lizzy?"

"I think she was getting the triplets something to eat," Hermione said. "Why?"

"Nothing," Saffron said. "I was just--wondering."

As she quickly headed downstairs, Saffron figured it was better not to see Lizzy- she might decide to mention something to Harry or Hermione. Instead, she decided to go to the chemist and buy herself a test there.

Chances were, she wasn't pregnant, Saffron told herself.

Yet Kiera hadn't been wrong with Darla or Maddie...

The healer had said at her last appointment that there was no way to tell if she was or not right now. Saffron had taken that as good news. She didn't want any reminder of Daniel O'Neal and what he'd done to her.

She hurried down to the chemist and ducked inside hoping no one had seen her. Grabbing a bottle of water and two sets of pregnancy tests, she paid for them then began drinking the water as fast as she could.

This was going to be over in just a few minutes, she tried to tell herself. The tests would be negative and she could go about her summer as if nothing unusual had happened.

"Saffy?"

Saffron nearly jumped out of her skin when she heard someone call her name. "Lex...you scared me half to death!"

"Sorry," Alexa said. "I've been calling after you for a few minutes."

Saffron grabbed the paper bag and stuffed it into her purse.

"What are you doing here?" Saffron asked.

"Gabe had a headache," Alexa said studying her friend. "We stopped off here to pick up some aspirins for him."

"Oh..." Saffron said. "Too bad he can't have a headache cure, right?"

"Yeah," Alexa said slowly. "Saffy, are you okay?"

"Fine," Saffron said quickly. "Peachy... everything couldn't be better."

"We were just heading to the arcade," Alexa said. "Did you want to come with?"

Saffron shook her head. "No thanks. I've got a few things to do."

"Right," Alexa said after a moment.

"So I'll see you later," Saffron said, backing away.

"Saf, are you sure you're okay?" Alexa asked gently.

"Fine," Saffron forced a smile onto her face.

"I guess I'll see you back at the house," Alexa said.

"Sure," Saffron replied. "Have fun at the arcade."

Alexa gave her one last look before she turned to find Gabe.

Saffron sighed. That had been close.

She finished her water as she went back to the house, hoping to avoid anyone else. Saffron locked the door to the bathroom and pulled out the tests.

Her hands were shaking as she read the instruction pamphlet.

One test took five minutes to complete, and the other ten. Saffron didn't know how she was going to bear the wait.

Andrew.

A part of her wished he was here with her, reassuring her and holding her hand. But, another part of her, didn't want him to have anything to do with this. But, then again, if she was pregnant, chances were good that it was Andrew's. She and Andrew had talked about having children someday.

"Just might be a bit sooner than someday," Saffron said as she began taking the tests.

The wait was nearly excruciating. A thousand thoughts trickled through her mind as she waited.

"Please be negative," Saffron whispered, closing her eyes. "Please... please be negative."

She checked her watch. It had been five minutes. The first test should be ready.

Her hand was shaking so hard she was surprised she was even able to pick up the stick.

Saffron felt her knees buckle when she saw the positive sign on the stick.

"Could be a false positive," Saffron told herself as she sat down hard.

"And they're only 99 percent accurate," Saffron said aloud. "I could be that one percent."

The next five minutes were almost unbearable; Saffron was hardly able to tear her eyes away from the positive sign on the first test.

This test was different. Two pink lines meant she was pregnant. One pink line meant she wasn't. One line, Saffron said a silent prayer. Please, let me see one line.

Saffron literally felt her entire body crumple as she saw two lines. One positive sign and two lousy lines... and her life was over.

Kiera had been right.

Saffron dropped the tests on the floor and drew her knees up and buried her face in them to muffle her sobs.

Someone tried the door and Saffron looked up, glad that she'd locked it.

Whoever it was twisted the knob. "I'm in here!" Saffron called, hoping her voice didn't sound too thick.

"Aunt Saffy?" Ashley called out.

"I'll um... I'll be out in a minute," Saffron said, sweeping all the evidence back into the bag and stuffing it into her purse.

She wiped at her eyes and then splashed some water on her face to get rid of the puffiness.

Hoping she didn't look too horrible, Saffron opened the door. "All yours, Ash."

"I was just going to wash my hands," Ashley said. "I was painting..."

Her voice trailed off when she got a good look at her aunt. "Aunt Saffy, were you crying?"

"I'm fine," Saffron said, her voice higher pitched than normal.

"Did you want to see my painting?" Ashley asked.

Saffron wanted to say no, but she knew how sensitive her niece was. "Okay... for a minute. I'm really tired and need to lie down."

Ashley grinned. "Let me just wash my hands really quick."

"Sure," Saffron said quietly.

Ashley started talking about her painting while she washed her hands, but Saffron barely heard her.

"And I was thinking of giving it to..." Ashley's voice trailed off. "Aunt Saffy... are you really okay?"

Saffron shook her head.

"Do you want to talk?" Ashley ventured.

Saffron thought about this. She wanted to talk to someone, but she didn't think her 13 year old niece was the right person to burden with this.

"I'm always here if you need me," Ashley told her.

Saffron took her niece's hand and led her into the attic. Ashley was using the attic as her makeshift studio. "You, um, you can't tell anyone. Okay? No one else knows."

Ashley nodded. "I swear."

Saffron took a deep breath, trying to think of the right things to say. "You know about Maddie and Ethan, right?"

Ashley nodded. "They're going to have another baby."

"They're not the only ones," Saffron said quietly.

"Aunt Darla and Hans," Ashley said. She wondered why this would make Saffron so upset.

Saffron shook her head.

It suddenly started to make sense to Ashley. "You?"

Saffron bit her lower lip, looking away as tears filled her eyes.

"Aunt Saffy," Ashley said, unable to think of anything else to say.

"Kiera saw it," Saffron buried her face in her hands. "And I took two pregnancy tests."

"Does Andrew know?" Ashley asked.

Saffron shook her head. "No one does."

Ashley put her hand on Saffron's shoulder. "I'm sure he'll be happy. He'd make a great father and you'll be a great mum."

"But I don't know if it's his," Saffron said.

"O'Neal?" Ashley asked in surprise. "But--"

"It could be either one," Saffron admitted.

"Is there---is there anything I can do?" Ashley asked.

"No," Saffron wiped her eyes. "I don't really know how I'm going to handle this yet."

Ashley gave her a hug. "I promise I won't tell anyone."

"Thanks," Saffron said. "I appreciate it, Ash."

"You'll be a great mum," Ashley said. "You're so great with children. You always have been."

Saffron shrugged in reply.

"Um, let's have a look at your painting," Saffron said wanting to distract herself.

Ashley smiled. "Well, you remember that photograph of Great Grandma Ellie and Great-Grandpa Robert on their wedding day? I'm doing a painting of it for Grandma's birthday in September. I just finished."

"Oh..." Saffron let out a breath as Ashley turned the painting around. "Ashley... that's... that's just beautiful."

Ashley grinned. "I don't think I did Grandma Ellie justice. She was so beautiful, wasn't she?"

Saffron nodded, her eyes filling with tears again as she looked at her beloved grandparents. She missed them so much.

"Do you think Grandma will like it?" Ashley asked.

"She's going to love it," Saffron managed.

Ashley looked at her aunt. "Oh, Aunt Saffy. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to make you cry---"

"It's okay," Saffron wiped her eyes.

Ashley wished she knew what to do or say to help her aunt.

"I'm going to lie down," Saffron said. "I need to try and figure things out."

Ashley nodded. "It will all sort itself out, Saffy. I know it will."

"I hope so," Saffron said. "Thanks for listening, Ash."

"Of course," Ashley said watching as Saffron left the attic.

Saffron headed for her room and tossed her bag into the corner before flopping onto her bed and burying her face in the pillow.

A baby. What in the world was she going to do?

One thing she knew she had to find out for sure- was it Andrew's or Daniel's? Saffron wouldn't be able to do anything until she at least found that out.

Authors’ note: Don’t freak out. We have two words for you guys…trust us.

268. Chapter 268

Authors’ note: Big chapter last time. This one also has something big happen in it, too. We hope you enjoy reading! Again, we have to say “Trust us”. There is a method to our madness!

Ashley had spent a good deal of the night worrying about her aunt, who had not come down to dinner or breakfast that morning.

Ashley wished there was something she could say or do to help. Usually painting or sketching helped keep her mind off of things, but no matter what she did she kept thinking about the situation. Ashley sighed and leaned against her pillows. She was contemplating checking on her aunt when she heard a knock on her door. She looked up to see Brittany standing in the doorway. Her friend looked very upset.

"My life as I know it is over," Brittany announced.

"What?" Ashley sat up. "What's wrong?"

"Braces," Brittany replied shaking her head. "Braces, Ashley. Awful, silver metal all over my teeth!"

Ashley bit her lower lip. "It won't be that bad, Brit. Think of what a great smile you'll have once they're off."

"Two years," Brittany whined. "Two years of my life. I begged and pleaded with my parents. They wouldn't listen."

"Two years will go by so fast," Ashley tried to reassure her.

Brittany buried her face in a pillow. "It's over!"

Ashley wished there were a way she could cheer up her friend but she didn't even have the energy to do it. All she could think about was her aunt.

"I'm sorry for just barging in here," Brittany asked sitting up.

"It's okay," Ashley said. "What's Zander up to?"

"Oh, he's in a fantastic mood," Brittany rolled her eyes. "He's already started calling me 'metal mouth'."

"I'll tell him to stop," Ashley promised.

"He's not going to stop for you," Brittany protested.

"Yes he will," Ashley pushed herself up.

Brittany shrugged. "My date with doom is next week."

"I think you'll look gorgeous," Ashley said loyally. "And Evan will too."

"Do you think?" Brittany asked hopefully.

"Absolutely," Ashley squeezed her hand.

"Thanks, Ash," Brittany said.

"Come on," Ashley said. "Let's go to the beach."

Brittany nodded. "I should enjoy my metal-free days while I can."

"Is Zander out there?" Ashley asked. "I haven't talked to him since yesterday afternoon."

"Yeah," Brittany replied. "But if he says one thing..."

"I promise to tell him to knock it off," Ashley said.

"Thank you," Brittany said as the two girls headed downstairs.

"Mum?" Ashley poked her head into the kitchen. "I'm going to the beach with Brittany."

"Oh, okay," Julie said. "Hello, Brittany."

"Hi Prof-- Mrs. Malfoy." Brittany said.

Julie smiled. "It's good to see you. You girls have fun."

"Thanks," Ashley said. "Um... did Aunt Saffy come out of her room yet?"

Julie shook her head. "I brought her some tea and toast."

Ashley nodded, not meeting her mother's eyes. "I'll be back later."

As the two girls walked down the beach, Brittany continued to complain about her braces. Ashley tried to listen, but she couldn't stop thinking about Saffron.

"And I can't believe they're expecting me to wear them for two years," Brittany said. "And to get them right before school starts too!"

"Yeah," Ashley said distractedly.

"Are you all right?" Brittany asked her. "You're so quiet today."

"What?" Ashley asked. "Oh, I'm fine. I just have a lot on my mind. I'm sorry, Brit."

"But we're on holiday," Brittany said. "And aside from my dire situation, nothing could ruin it!"

Ashley forced a smile. "Right."

Brittany caught sight of another girl standing beside her cousin on the pier. "I was wrong. There is something else that could ruin it."

Ashley caught sight of Lucy standing quite close to Zander.

Brittany groaned. "Every single time I turn around there she is. This morning, she woke him up at seven to play some stupid game. I know because her stupid cackling woke me up."

"She was over at your house?" Ashley asked.

Brittany nodded. "She's always over there. She's so bloody annoying."

Ashley bit her lower lip as they got closer to Zander and Lucy.

Zander had been splashing water in Lucy's direction, but he stopped when he saw Ashley. His whole face lit up as he came toward her.

"Hey Ash," he said with a grin.

"Hi," Ashley said softly. She had missed him so much these last couple of days. She wished she could tell him what was going on, but she had promised her aunt. Brittany caught sight of Lucy making a move to interrupt them and she grabbed Lucy by the arm and tugged her in the other direction.

"Ow!" Lucy yelped. "Brittany, you practically pulled my arm out of the socket!"

"So?" Brittany asked.

"So, I was waiting for Zander," Lucy said trying to step past her.

"And he's waiting for Ashley," Brittany blocked her.

"We're friends," Lucy said defiantly.

"And that's how it's going to stay," Brittany told her.

"You're such a bubble brain," Lucy said rolling her eyes.

"Whatever," Brittany looked back at her cousin and Ashley.

Zander sat down on the edge of the pier. Ashley sat down beside him and started out at the water. "Ash?" Zander asked. "Did you finish your painting?"

Ashley nodded. "Last night. Mum took it home for safekeeping this morning."

"I wish I could have seen it," Zander said. "But I know it was brilliant."

"Thanks," Ashley sighed.

Zander squeezed her hand. "Are you okay?"

"Not really," Ashley said.

"What's wrong?" Zander asked. He tugged affectionately on her ponytail.

"I can't talk about it," Ashley said quietly.

"Did Katie blab?" Zander asked.

Ashley shook her head.

"What is it?" Zander asked. "Come on, Ashley Beth. You can tell me. Maybe I could help."

"I can't tell anyone," Ashley said.

Zander looked at her. "Ash..."

"I just can't, okay?" Ashley asked.

Zander let go of her hand. What was so bad that she couldn't tell him?

"I think I'm going back inside," Ashley said.

"But, you just got here," Zander protested.

"I can't explain what's going on," Ashley said.

"Can I see you later?" Zander asked, standing up.

"I don't know," Ashley said.

"Ashley," Zander reached for her hand, but she was already walking away.

"Ash!" Brittany yelled. "Wait up!"

Lucy smiled to herself as she watched Brittany hurry off after her friend. This would leave Zander all alone.

"What's wrong?" she asked, feigning concern.

Zander shrugged. "I don't know."

"Maybe she's angry with you," Lucy said.

Zander shook his head. "I haven't done anything. At least, I don't think I have."

Lucy shrugged. "I'll stay out here with you."

"I'm just going to head back to the house," Zander said.

"But--" Lucy began.

"I'm not going to be very good company," Zander told her. "I have a lot on my mind."

"You can talk to ME," Lucy said.

Zander looked over at her. Perhaps she could give him an idea as to what was going on with Ashley. Zander knew he could ask Brittany but she'd just take the Mickey out on him. "Okay, I guess."

"Good," Lucy took his arm.

Zander pulled away. He knew that Lucy fancied him a bit, but he didn't want to give her any false hope. "Ash and I have always been able to talk about anything."

"Not this time," she said.

"You know our parents kind of freaked out when they found out we wanted to be more than friends," Zander confided. "And Ash's little sister caught us snogging. She's been holding it over our heads."

"Really?" Lucy asked. "That makes me glad I don't have any siblings."

"Me too," Zander agreed. "I just...I can't help wondering if maybe Katie told and that's why Ash is acting like this."

"Maybe you should steer clear for a few days," Lucy suggested.

"You think?" Zander asked.

"Probably best," Lucy said, hiding a sly smile.

"Maybe," Zander said thoughtfully.

Lucy leaned closer to him. "Maybe we can go fishing later."

"I think I'm just going to practise," Zander said.

"Practise what?" Lucy asked. "You think you're going to beat me next time at Ninja Death Warrior?"

Zander laughed. "I don't think. I know."

"Yeah right," Lucy nudged him playfully.

"Maybe we can play later," Zander said. "I wanted to work on this song. If you wanted to come by in a couple of hours, we can play."

"You're working on a song?" Lucy refused to give up.

Zander nodded.

"I want to hear," Lucy said,

"Maybe later," Zander told her as they approached the house. "It's still in the developmental stage."

"Oh," Lucy looked deflated.

"I'll let you hear it when you come over later," Zander promised.

"Okay," Lucy impulsively hugged him.

Zander was taken aback by this and he awkwardly patted her back. "Thanks for listening."

Out of the corner of her eye, Lucy saw a flash of blond hair at the window- Ashley. She pulled back and quickly pulled Zander to her, kissing him hard.

If Zander had thought he'd been surprised by the hug, the kiss surprised him so much, he just stood there for a moment. "Lucy," he pushed her away. "Why did you do that?"

"Because I wanted to," Lucy said.

Zander wiped his mouth. "Look, I'm with Ashley. I'm sorry if I gave you the wrong idea..."

"I think you liked it too," Lucy said boldly.

"I like Ashley," Zander retorted.

"And she couldn't wait to get away from you," Lucy told him.

Zander glared at her. He did not have time to explain this to Lucy. He should have never have stayed behind like this. If he'd used his head, he would have followed her back to her house and made sure she was okay.

"I'll see you later," Zander said.

"Zander, come on--" she tried once more.

In the beach house, Ashley was telling Brittany what she'd just seen. But, she stopped when she realised Katie was hovering just outside the door. Without a word, Ashley slammed the door in her sister's face.

Katie stared at the closed door in shock. "Ashley!" Katie exclaimed.

"Get out and stop spying on me!" Ashley said angrily. "I'm tired of it Katie!"

"I don't spy!" Katie retorted.

"Just go away!" Ashley snapped.

"Fine!" Katie shot back. She kicked the door with her foot for good measure. Ashley wanted her to go away, well, Katie thought to herself. She'd go away---straight to their father and tell him all about what Ashley had been up to with that stupid Zander.

"Dad!" Katie called out. "Daddy!"

She barged into his studio without noticing that the recording light was on.

"Katherine Rose," Nick said setting his guitar down. "Did you notice the red light above the door?"

"But I have something important to tell you," Katie said.

Nick walked over to his youngest daughter. "This had better be important."

"Ashley's been sneaking around with Zander," Katie revealed. "I saw them snogging."

Nick folded his arms and levelled his gaze at her. "Katherine..."

"I swear!" Katie said. "She and Zander were kissing. A lot!"

"When?" Nick asked her.

"I saw her a few days ago," Katie reported.

"Ashley!" Nick walked past Katie and called out to his oldest daughter. "I need to see you. Now."

"Just a minute Dad!" Ashley called back.

"Want me to go with you?" Brittany offered.

Ashley sighed. "No... I'll talk to you later, I guess."

"I'll have a few words with that Lucy," Brittany said with a grin. "Don't worry."

Ashley managed a tiny smile.

Brittany gave her best friend a hug before she left.

Ashley wiped at her eyes and then headed toward her father's studio. She rolled her eyes when she saw Katie standing beside her father with a smug look on her face. "Dad, I only slammed the door in her face because she was eavesdropping...as usual."

"Have you been sneaking around with Zander after we told you we didn't want you to date?" Nick asked her directly.

"We only went swimming a couple of times," Ashley replied but not before shooting another glare at her younger sister.

Nick raised an eyebrow. "Don't lie to me Ashley."

"Dad, I'm not lying to you," Ashley said.

"Yes, she is," Katie said in a sing-song voice.

"Have you and Zander been kissing?" Nick asked.

Ashley blushed and looked down at the floor.

"Katie, go get your mother," Nick said.

"Of course, Daddy," Katie said happily.

Ashley shook her head as Katie skipped out of the room. "Daddy--"

Nick held up a hand. "No more until your mother comes in here."

Ashley had thought the day couldn't get any worse, but she had a feeling she was about to be proven wrong.

Julie came down a few moments later with Katie right at her heels. "Nick? What's going on?"

"Our daughter has apparently been sneaking around with Zander," Nick told Julie.

"What?" Julie stared in disbelief first at Nick, then at Ashley.

"You and Daddy snuck around too," Ashley pointed out.

"Ashley that was completely different," Julie said. "You are thirteen years old and we specifically asked you NOT to do this."

"I'll be fourteen soon," Ashley argued. "We just kissed a couple of times. It's not really a big deal, Mum."

"It was a big enough deal that you had to go behind our backs to do it," Julie told her.

Ashley looked at Katie. "Does she have to be here, Mum?"

Julie looked at her youngest daughter who was pretending not to be interested. "Katie, go wait for us upstairs."

"I can tell you a lot more," Katie protested.

"How about how you blackmailed me?" Ashley asked sarcastically. "Made me do your chores."

Nick and Julie both raised their eyebrows at that.

"I guess you left that out, Katherine," Ashley said bitterly.

"Katie, go wait for us in your room," Nick said with a sigh. "We'll be up in a bit."

Katie stalked out of the studio.

Julie rubbed at her forehead. "Ashley..."

"I didn't do anything wrong," Ashley said quietly.

"We told you that you were too young to date," Nick told her. "We let you go out with Zander the one time, and then you continued to fraternize behind our backs."

"We like that you're friends with him, Ashley," Julie said in a softer tone. "But we don't appreciate you snogging him like this."

"Well, you won't have to worry about it anymore," Ashley said remembering what she'd seen out the window just a few minutes ago.

Nick's eyebrows knit together. "Why's that?"

"Nothing," Ashley said looking away from them.

"Your father and I are going to talk," Julie said. "Wait for us in your room, please."

Ashley nodded and walked out of the studio. A couple of days ago, everything had been fine and now it was all crumbling down around her.

She headed upstairs to the room she was sharing with the babies. She caught sight of Katie sitting on the bed in the room she shared with Caroline and Mia.

"I hope you're happy," Ashley hissed at her.

"You shouldn't have slammed the door in my face," Katie retorted.

"If I had wanted you to know, I would have told you," Ashley said, feeling tears welling up in her eyes. "You make it really hard to like you, Katie."

Katie shrugged.

Ashley just shook her head and went into her own room. She curled up on her bed and hugged her pillow to her.

She didn't know what her parents were going to do about this. Nor did she know what she was going to do about Zander, or what Brittany was going to say to him.

In the grand scheme of things, Ashley knew that this was nothing compared to what Saffron was going through. But, it still hurt her to think of what she had with Zander ending. But, then again, she'd hate it even more if she lost his friendship.

She buried her face in her pillow and tried hard not to cry. How had everything become such a mess?

Downstairs, Zander knocked on the door. He hoped Ashley would answer. But, since luck wasn't on his side, it was Caroline Weasley who opened the door.

"Hi," Caroline said brightly.

"Hi," Zander said. "Um... is Ashley here?"

"She's upstairs," Caroline said, standing back so he could come inside. "In her room."

"Oh..." Zander said. "Think... think you could call her down for me?"

Caroline shook her head. "I'm playing with Adam. You can go up there. See you!"

"Wait--" Zander said but she'd darted out of the room.

Zander needed to see Ashley and he figured it would be okay if he just walked upstairs to talk. There was no harm in that.

He started up the stairs, hoping he would remember which room was hers.

"Ash?" Zander called out uncertainly.

Ashley sat up on her bed. "Zander?"

"Ash," he appeared in her doorway. "I'm glad I found you. I --"

Ashley grabbed him by the arm and pulled him into her room before Katie could see him. "What are you doing here?" she asked him.

"I wanted to make sure you were okay," he said, unaware of everything that had happened.

"You looked a little preoccupied," Ashley said.

"Preoccupied?" Zander asked, confused.

"Yes," Ashley said. "Maybe you're not sure who you like better, me or Lucy?"

"What are you talking about?" Zander asked. "I like you best. You know that."

"You kissed her!" Ashley said. "I saw it!"

Zander couldn't believe she had witnessed that. He shook his head. "She kissed me, Ash. I pushed her away..."

"No you didn't," Ashley turned away from him. "Just go, Zander."

Zander didn't move. "Ashley, I have fancied you for so long I don't even remember when it started. I don't think of Lucy as anything but a friend. I didn't kiss her. She kissed me. I've never lied to you. You know that."

Ashley closed her eyes. She was too ashamed to admit that she was awaiting punishment from her parents.

"Ashley," Zander said reaching for her hand.

"Just go AWAY," Ashley said. "I knew this would happen."

"Knew what would happen?" Zander asked.

"This," Ashley said. "We're fighting."

"Our first one," Zander said trying to make her laugh.

Ashley shook her head. "This is why we should have just stayed friends. You need to go, Zander."

"Ashley, what's really going on?" Zander asked, just as the door to the bedroom swung open. Julie and Nick Malfoy did not look happy at all to see him.

"Professor," Zander said nervously. "Mr. Malfoy..."

"What's going on here?" Nick asked, his grey eyes stormy.

"Zander, I think it's time that you went home," Julie said to him.

"Go," Ashley wouldn't look at him.

"And seeing as Ashley and her sister are grounded for the rest of the holiday, you'll see her next on the train to Hogwarts," Nick told Zander.

Zander gaped at him wordlessly.

Ashley couldn't imagine not seeing him or Brittany the rest of the summer. But, she just did not have it in her to protest or argue. She knew they'd never change their minds.

Dejectedly, Zander nodded and with one final look at Ashley which she did not return, he left.

Julie closed the door behind him and turned her disappointed gaze to her daughter.

"I didn't know he was going to be here," Ashley said quietly.

"Nevertheless," Julie said. "Your father and I are terribly disappointed in you, Ashley."

Ashley nodded.

"And if we find out that you're still sneaking around to see him," Nick started.

"I won't," Ashley said quietly.

Nick nodded. "I need to go and deal with Katie."

"I'll be there in a minute," Julie told him.

"Fine," Nick said before leaving the room.

Julie sat down on the edge of Ashley's bed. "Do you want to talk about it?"

Ashley shook her head.

"I know this isn't easy," Julie said. "But, it's really for the best. When you're older..."

'I'm not going to do this again for a long time," Ashley shook her head.

Julie put her arm around her. "I wish I could tell you it gets easier."

Ashley only shrugged.

"I'll leave you to it," Julie said. "I'm around if you do want to talk, love."

Ashley turned over on her bed and buried her face in her pillow as she began to cry.

A dejected Zander slammed the front door of his own house.

"Zander Murray," his mother chastised him. She was having tea with Brittany and Brittany's mother. "You're not to slam the doors around here!"

"Sorry," he muttered.

"Do you want tea, dear?" Brittany's mother asked him.

Zander shook his head. "I'm going to my room."

Brittany glared at him. "Wait a minute," she said, following him out into the corridor.

"Go away, Brit," Zander told her.

"How come you kissed Lucy?" Brittany hissed. "Ashley saw it you know!"

"I know," Zander snapped. "And for your information, Lucy kissed me. I didn't kiss her. I pushed her away."

"Not fast enough apparently," Brittany shook her head.

Zander sighed. "I went over there to check on her, but her parents caught me in her bedroom. They told me to leave, but not before they said she was grounded for the rest of the summer and we won't see her until we go back to school."

Brittany gaped at him.

"I'm not going to go all summer without seeing her," Zander said determinedly.

"You can't do anything if her parents grounded her," Brittany pointed out.

"I can," Zander said. "I don't know how, but I will."

Brittany raised an eyebrow. "If she'll even see YOU. She was pretty upset."

"What did she say?" Zander asked.

Brittany shrugged. "If you're going to see her, I'm sure she'll tell you."

Zander put his head in his hands. "How did this happen?"

Brittany shook her head. "I'm going to finish my tea."

"Brit," Zander called to her. "I didn't kiss Lucy. You believe me, right?"

"I don't know," Brittany answered.

Zander looked at her in disbelief. "Brittany, you know how long I've fancied her. I spent all this time and it finally happened. Do you really think I'd snog some other girl?"

"It's none of my business," Brittany said.

"You don't believe me," Zander said shaking his head.

"I know what Ashley saw," Brittany said.

"I. Did. Not. Kiss. Lucy," Zander said slowly. "And if you don't believe me..."

"I'm going to finish my tea," Brittany said. "Right now I don't know what to believe."

Zander watched her go. He couldn't believe that Brittany didn't believe him. If she didn't, he knew Ashley didn't either.

He sighed as he headed up to his room and threw himself onto his bed.

Stupid Lucy, he thought to himself.

He didn't want to see her again, especially not this summer. She probably cost him his relationship and likely his friendship with Ashley.

The girl in question was currently knocking on the door. Brittany answered it and rolled her eyes when she saw who it was.

"Come to see the damage?" Brittany asked sarcastically.

"What?" Lucy asked. "Zander asked me to come over and play games with him."

Brittany looked over her shoulder. "Mum? I'll be outside for a moment..."

Lucy stared at the other girl. "I don't know what your problem is--"

Brittany closed the door behind her so her mother and aunt couldn't hear. "My problem, Lucy...is that you've hurt someone I care about. I don't like when that happens."

"It's none of your business," Lucy informed her.

"Well, you see, Lucy," Brittany folded her arms and glared at the other girl. "I've made it my business. You're not going to come over here anymore and try to play video games or act like you're drowning...I mean, really..."

Lucy sneered at her. "You can't tell me what to do."

"Do you think he's going to want to see you now?" Brittany scoffed.

"Only one way to find out," Lucy went to push past her.

Brittany had never wished she could do magic outside of school more than she did at that moment. She grabbed Lucy by the arm. "I wouldn't push me, Lucy."

"What are you going to do about it?" Lucy levelled a stare at her.

"Oh," Brittany said loftily. "I don't know..."

"I'm not scared of you," Lucy told her. "Never have been."

"You do anything to hurt my friend or my cousin again and you will be," Brittany warned.

"Oh sod off," Lucy retorted.

Brittany opened her mouth to say something else, but she thought better of it. This girl wasn't worth her time. If Lucy wanted to push the matter, Brittany wouldn't hesitate to deal with her. Brittany usually abhorred fights, but she wouldn't hesitate to defend her best friend or her cousin. Though she would never tell this to Zander, she thought of him more like a brother.

"Just get out of here," Brittany said.

"Tell Zander I'll see him tomorrow," Lucy said.

Brittany turned without a word and went back inside, shutting the door in Lucy's face.

"Who was that, dear?" her mother asked.

"Stray dog," Brittany replied, sitting back down.

"What?" her mother asked.

"Nothing," Brittany said. "Mum, I was thinking...maybe we could talk about my braces, again. I really don't think..."

"Brittany," her mother shook her head. "You need them. End of story."

"Do you have any idea what this is going to do to my social life?" Brittany whined.

"If someone only likes you for your looks then they're not a good friend to begin with," her mother told her.

Brittany rolled her eyes. "Mum, you don't understand at all."

Brittany's mother and her aunt looked at each other and laughed, making Brittany even more annoyed.

"I had to get braces when I was your age," Brittany's mother pointed out. "And I still managed to land your father...who I must say is quite the catch."

"Eww," Brittany made a face.

Brittany's mother laughed. "I'm sorry, love. But, it's not going to be as bad as you think."

"Whatever," Brittany muttered.

At the beach house, Saffron was finally emerging from her bedroom. She had hoped to find the house empty, but to her dismay, she ran into her older sister. "Jules."

"Hey Saffy," Julie said. "I'm glad to see you're finally up."

"I was thirsty," Saffron said. "I, um, I thought you'd be on the beach."

"I’m just headed there now," Julie said. "Why don't you come out? I'm sure some fresh air will make you feel better."

Saffron shook her head. "I'm still feeling bad. Maybe later..."

"Are you sure?" Julie pressed.

Saffron nodded and walked over to the icebox. She poured herself a glass of juice knowing she was under the watchful eye of her sister. "Don't worry, Jules. I'm fine. It's just a bug."

"Are you sure?" Julie asked.

"Yes," Saffron replied. "Have a good time out there for me."

Julie smoothed her sister's hair back affectionately. "Okay."

Saffron took her glass of juice with her and headed toward the stairs. To her dismay, Andrew was just coming downstairs. "Hey, Saf," he grinned at her.

"Hi," she avoided his eyes,

"I was just checking on you," Andrew said.

"I'm going back to bed," Saffron said.

"Want some company?" Andrew asked.

"I think I have the flu," Saffron tried to walk past him. "You shouldn't get too close."

Andrew reached for her hand. "I don't mind. You're worth the risk."

"I really can't do that to you," Saffron said quietly.

"Come on," Andrew said taking the glass from her. "At least let me tuck you in."

"I'm really fine," Saffron tried to take back her glass.

Andrew held it away from her. He laughed. "Come on, Saffy." She reluctantly followed him upstairs to their room.

"Come on," he said. "Into bed with you. I'll get you some toast."

"I’m not hungry," Saffron said. "I just had a snack downstairs. Really..."

"You need to keep your strength up," Andrew said firmly. "You'll never get over this if you don't eat."

Saffron got into bed. She pulled the covers up around her. "Toast...toast would be great."

"Okay," he smiled at her. "You just rest. I'll be right back."

Saffron nodded and waited until she was alone before she started to cry. He was being so sweet. She didn't deserve his kindness.

She got out of the bed and pulled up her shirt to inspect her stomach. It was still flat, but she knew in a few months she wouldn't be able to hide this anymore.

"A baby," Saffron whispered.

A part of her still clung to the hope that it was Andrew's child she was carrying.

It had to be Andrew's. It just had to be.

She heard him coming back up the stairs and hurried back into the bed, pulling the covers around her body again.

"Toast and jam," Andrew announced as he carried the tray into their room.

"Thanks," Saffron said.

"That's part of the vows, right?" Andrew grinned. "Sickness and in health and all that."

Saffron coughed. "Right..." she managed.

Andrew set the tray down in front of her. "And even sick, you're the most beautiful woman in the world."

"No I'm not," she turned on her side.

Andrew moved the tray. "Watch it."

"Sorry," she managed, trying to stave off her tears.

Andrew climbed into bed beside her. He put his arm around her. "I love you, Saffy."

Saffron closed her eyes tight. "I... I need to kip, Andrew."

"I can kip with you," Andrew said softly.

"I don't want to get you sick," Saffron choked out.

"I won't," Andrew said. He closed his eyes. "I just want to be close to my girl."

Saffron wiped at her eyes.

"You should have seen RJ out there this morning," Andrew told her. "We were out there for two hours and all he caught was a boot."

Saffron managed a small, trembly smile.

"I promised I wouldn't tell anyone that," Andrew grinned. "Okay, well, I said I wouldn't say anything to YOU."

"I won't tell," Saffron whispered.

"If you're feeling better tomorrow, I was thinking we could go into town," he said. "Have dinner. Just the two of us."

"I don't think so," she said quickly. "I mean... I do feel pretty sick."

"Well, if you aren't," Andrew said. "We can just hang out here. Watch a movie."

Saffron shrugged one shoulder in response.

Andrew knew her well enough by now to know that something else was troubling her. "Saf?"

"What?" she asked.

"What's wrong?" Andrew asked. "Hmm?"

"I'm sick," she said.

"I know, but I can't help feeling that something else is going on," Andrew said. "And I really wish you'd turn around and look at me."

"I'm tired," Saffron hedged.

Andrew sighed. "Well, if you do want to talk, I'm here, okay?"

Saffron nodded without saying another word.

"It's great about your brother and Maddie, isn't it?" Andrew asked.

"Sure," Saffron said hoarsely.

"That will be us someday," Andrew said with a grin. "I was thinking about that when we were on the boat. Taking my kid out there, showing him or her how to cast a line..."

Saffron couldn't bear hearing another word and she pulled away, getting out of bed and hurrying to the loo.

"Saffy," Andrew called out to her.

She held her stomach, hoping she wouldn't lose whatever she'd managed to put into it.

Andrew came up behind her. "It's okay, baby."

"Don't," she said.

"Don't what?" Andrew asked.

"I told you I don't want to get you sick," Saffron pulled away.

Andrew stood back. "I just want to help."

"I'll be fine," Saffron said. "I just... want to be alone."

Andrew studied her for a few moments. "Okay," he said quietly.

Saffron closed the door and sank to the floor.

She knew that she wouldn't have any peace of mind until she knew for certain whose child she was carrying.

Andrew headed downstairs into the kitchen. RJ was there digging in the icebox.

"Mate," RJ said nodding at him.

"Hi," Andrew muttered.

"Saf feeling better?" RJ asked, grabbing the carton of ice cream.

“Not really,” Andrew replied. “Something’s wrong with her.”

"Well, she did agree to marry you," RJ joked, but Andrew didn't laugh. "Sorry."

"There's something really wrong," Andrew insisted. "She's like she was when she first came back last year."

RJ looked at him. "Oh."

"She won't tell me what's wrong," Andrew said.

"It's not anything with O'Neal is it?" RJ asked. "I mean, he's in Azkaban..."

"I don't think so," Andrew said thoughtfully. "I mean... how could he even contact her?"

"He couldn't," RJ replied. "But maybe...maybe being back here is affecting her more than she's letting on."

"That's probably it," Andrew nodded.

"The surprise engagement party is just what she needs," RJ said. "You just make sure you have her at The Sand Dune tomorrow at eight."

"I'm glad you told me about it," Andrew said. "This should perk her back up."

"Lexie and me worked really hard on this," RJ said.

"Thank you," Andrew said sincerely.

"We expect eternal gratitude and glory for this," RJ said with a grin.

Andrew laughed. "Because being best man isn't enough?"

RJ shook his head. "You know me. I live on praise and worship."

"Among other things," Andrew replied.

Alexa walked into the kitchen and laughed when she saw RJ scooping ice cream into a big bowl. "Why don't you just eat out of the carton instead?"

"I got yelled at for it," RJ told her.

"Well, if you're practically eating the entire carton, you'd save yourself the trouble of having to wash a bowl," Alexa pointed out.

Andrew laughed. "She's got you there mate."

"How's Saffy?" Alexa asked.

"Not too good," Andrew said. "Maybe she'll talk to you."

"Oh," Alexa said. "I, um...I know this is probably nothing, but I saw her at the chemist's. It looked like she was hiding something. I didn't want to push..."

"She was at the chemist?" Andrew asked.

Alexa nodded. "Maybe it's because she was coming down with the flu. I don't know. I just felt like something was up."

Andrew sighed. "I wish she'd let me in. She was doing so well..."

"I'll go and talk to her," Alexa offered. "She and I don't keep secrets from each other."

"Thanks," Andrew said gratefully.

Alexa gave his hand a squeeze before she headed upstairs. She knocked on Saffron's door.

"Go away, Andrew," Saffron called out.

"It's me, Saffy." Alexa said. "Can I come in?"

Saffron didn't answer right away. "Yes," she finally said.

Alexa slipped inside. "Tell me what's wrong."

"I've got the flu," Saffron said wiping at her eyes.

"You have more than the flu," Alexa sat on the edge of the bed. "Tell me what's going on, Saffy."

"I can't," Saffron shook her head.

"Yes you can," Alexa urged.

Saffron looked down at her lap. She had always been able to tell Alexa anything. "I'm--I'm---"

"You're what?" Alexa asked.

Saffron took a deep breath, trying to get control of her emotions. "The other day, I was holding Kiera. You know, how she was able to tell that Darla and Maddie were...that they were pregnant?"

Alexa nodded.

"She did the same for me," Saffron whispered.

Alexa stared at her.

"When you saw me at the chemist's yesterday, that's what I was doing," Saffron said. "I was buying tests. I took them back here and they were both positive."

"Oh Saffy," Alexa reached for her hand. "Why didn't you just tell me?"

"I didn't want to tell anyone," Saffron replied looking at her friend with tears shining in her eyes. "I was hoping it wasn't true. And now..."

"But I'm sure Andrew will be thrilled," Alexa told her.

Saffron's lower lip trembled.

"It's... not?" Alexa ventured.

"I don't know," Saffron wailed.

"It might be Daniel's?" Alexa tried to conceal her horror.

Saffron nodded. "I don't know what I'm going to do, Lexie."

"We'll get through this," Alexa said firmly.

Saffron hugged her best friend.

"It's going to be okay, Saffy." Alexa told her.

Saffron pulled away and looked at her. "Promise me that you're not going to tell anyone."

"Saffy--" Alexa began.

"Promise me," Saffron said pleadingly. "Not Gabe. Not Andrew. No one."

"But they'll have to know," Alexa said.

"Not until I'm sure who the father is," Saffron told her.

Alexa sighed. "I won't tell anyone."

"You and Ashley are the only ones that know," Saffron told her.

"You told Ashley?" Alexa asked.

"Yesterday," Saffron replied. "She caught me in the loo."

"What did she say?" Alexa asked curiously.

"She didn't really know what to say," Saffron answered, putting her head in her hands. "I shouldn't have told her."

"Probably not," Alexa agreed cautiously. "But I don't think she'd tell anyone."

"She won't," Saffron said. "I trust her."

Alexa nodded. "I'm glad you told me."

"I can't keep anything from you," Saffron said with a slight smile.

"You never could," Alexa hugged her again.

"Andrew's really worried about me, isn't he?" Saffron said softly.

Alexa nodded. "Very."

"I can't lose him," Saffron said.

"You won't," Alexa said.

"But if the baby's not his," Saffron started to say.

"Do you really think that'll matter to him?" Alexa asked.

"You really think he'd want to raise Daniel O'Neal's child?" Saffron asked.

"It would be your child," Alexa told her firmly. "Not Daniel's."

"And how would I feel raising a daily reminder of what happened to me?" Saffron asked.

"Are you saying you don't want it?" Alexa asked.

Saffron shook her head. "No, of course not."

Alexa was quiet for a few moments. "Whatever you decide to do, you know I'll be here for you."

"I know," Saffron said. "I appreciate it, Lexie."

Alexa squeezed her hand. "Any morning sickness?"

"A little," Saffron admitted.

"You should tell Andrew," Alexa said.

"How?" Saffron asked.

"I don't know," Alexa said. "But he should know about this. He wouldn't be angry, Saffy."

"I just need to give this a few days," Saffron said thoughtfully. "I can find out when the date the baby was conceived and then I'll know for sure."

"If you're sure..." Alexa said doubtfully.

Saffron nodded. "I'm positive."

Alexa hugged her. "If you want me to go with you--"

"Would you?" Saffron asked.

"Of course," Alexa replied.

"Thank you," Saffron said, hugging her again.

"In the meantime, what do you want me to tell Andrew and RJ?" Alexa asked. "They know something's up and I don't think they're buying this flu thing."

"Why can't RJ be clueless like he usually is?" Saffron asked.

Alexa smiled. "Just lucky I guess."

"Maybe I could say I have food poisoning?" Saffron asked.

"Okay," Alexa replied. "That will just buy you two or three days, tops."

"That's all I need," Saffron said. "I can't lose Andrew, Lexie. Not now."

"You couldn't get rid of him if you tried," Alexa said.

Saffron gave a slight smile. She wished more than anything that she could confide in her mother about this, but Saffron did not want to disappoint her mother.

"Everything will be okay," Alexa said reassuringly.

There was a scratching sound on the door and Alexa got up to answer the door. Puddles scampered into the bedroom and hopped up on the bed.

"Hi, baby," Saffron said hugging him to her.

Puddles whined and licked her face.

Alexa smiled. "He knew what you needed."

"He always does," she said.

"Saffy, promise me something," Alexa said.

"What?" Saffron asked.

"Promise that you're not going to do anything stupid like push him away if it turns out that baby's Daniel's," Alexa said. "Andrew will not care one way or the other. You know that. The two of you got past this when it happened."

Saffron looked away from her.

"You know that I'm right," Alexa said.

"I don't know what I'm going to do," Saffron said.

Alexa squeezed her hand. "No matter what, you have me, Andrew, your family..."

"Thanks," she said softly.

"I'll let you get your rest," Alexa said.

"Thanks Lexie," she said gratefully. "Thanks for being my friend."

"Of course," Alexa said, closing the door behind her. She found RJ and Andrew downstairs, eating.

"What did she say?" Andrew asked Alexa.

Alexa bit her lip. She really hated lying to Andrew, but she'd promised Saffron. "Food poisoning, possibly."

"Did she eat some of her mum's cooking?" RJ joked.

Andrew and Alexa both gave him disapproving looks.

"Sorry," RJ apologised. "Liz should take a look at her. I'm sure she could give her a potion..."

"She's just outside," Andrew said starting to stand.

"No!" Alexa exclaimed.

"Why not?" Andrew asked.

"Um, Saffy doesn't think it's very serious," Alexa said. "And she doesn't want anyone to make a fuss.”

"Yeah but this is our holiday," Andrew said. "I hate that she's up there sleeping it away."

"She's going to be fine," Alexa said. "In fact, I'm sure she'd love it if you went up there and just sat with her."

"Or hold her hair back when she pukes," RJ said cheekily.

"RJ," Alexa shook her head.

"Sorry," RJ said. "Come on, Lexie. Remember...we were going to go shopping for decorations for the party."

"Right," Alexa agreed. She swatted at his shoulder. "And we're not stopping at the ice cream parlour."

"Audrey will let me," RJ retorted playfully.

Alexa grabbed him by the ear. "Say goodbye, RJ."

"Goodbye RJ," the redhead replied as Alexa pulled him from the kitchen.

Andrew sat by himself in the kitchen for a long time. He could not shake the feeling that Alexa was lying to him and there was something wrong with Saffron. She had seemed so distant earlier which was not like her at all.

He thought about what she'd said- about going upstairs but decided against it. His fiancée wanted to rest and he wasn't going to intrude on her space right now.

Andrew decided to go for a walk to clear his head. But the moment he stepped out on the patio, Aidan and Noah Weasley launched themselves at him, grabbing hold of his legs.

"Oh no!" Andrew exclaimed dramatically. "I've been hit! The monsters have got me!"

"Monster!" Noah exclaimed with a roar.

"You monsters are no match for me," Andrew said boldly, grabbing them both. "To the sand dunes with you!"

"No!" Aidan screamed, laughing.

Lizzy laughed. "Boys go easy on Andrew. He's a rookie."

"No," Noah replied.

Upstairs, Saffron was opening her window to let some fresh air into the room. The sound of Noah's laughter and Aidan's squeals carried up to her and she looked down to see Andrew playing with the two boys.

A tiny smile touched her lips as she saw Andrew carry them over to a large sand dune.

"An-drew!" Noah exclaimed. "Put down!"

"No way," Andrew laughed. "You two are going to get it!"

"Uh-uh," Noah said hiccupping as Andrew put him down.

"Maybe a swim in the ocean?" Andrew asked.

Aidan shrieked. "No!"

Andrew laughed. "Well what should I do with you two?"

Saffron couldn't help herself. "Tickle monster!" she exclaimed from her perch at the window.

Andrew looked up along with the two boys and grinned. "You heard her boys..."

"No!" Aidan squealed, laughing. "No tickle monster!"

"Tickle monster!" Andrew roared.

Saffron had to smile as Andrew tickled the two little boys, who fell into the sand laughing their heads off.

He would be a great father, Saffron thought to herself.

It strengthened her resolve that the decision to keep this baby was the right one.

Instinctively, she touched her stomach with her hand.

"You have to be Andrew's," she whispered. "You just HAVE to be."

*** *** ***

269. Chapter 269 The Truth

Authors’ note: Please read the authors’ note at the end of the chapter. That’s all we ask.

Though Darla knew she would miss her family terribly, she was going to go back with Hans to New York. It was just going to be a two-week trip to see how she liked the city. Although Drew hadn't said anything, Darla could tell her sister thought this was a mistake. But, she had agreed to help Darla pack up her things.

"I still don't see why you couldn't stay the rest of the holiday here," Drew pointed out. "You're going to miss Saffron and Andrew's party, you know."

"I know, I wish I wasn't, but I need to be with Hans," Darla said. "They'll understand."

"Where is Mr. Perfect anyway?" Drew asked. "I thought he'd be here helping you pack."

"He has gone to the bakery to get me éclairs," Darla said. "I had a craving. Rafe has a sweet tooth."

Drew had to smile at that.

"I hope you know I'm going to ring you every day," Darla told her sister. "Three of four times a day."

"I don't mind," Drew replied. "You can even ring five or six times. It'll never be enough."

Darla smiled at her sister. "It's going to be okay, right? I'm not making a mistake."

Drew shrugged. "I hope not, Dar."

"He's been great these last few days," Darla said. "Like he used to be."

"I'm glad," Drew replied.

A mobile phone on the bedside table began to ring and vibrate. "Hans must have forgotten his phone," Darla said picking it up.

She thought perhaps it was a call but when she flipped it open she saw a photo was coming in.

"Darla, do you want to bring your sandals?" Drew asked, but her sister didn't answer right away. "Earth to Darla...."

Darla couldn't speak so she simply held the phone out to her twin.

"What is it?" Drew asked taking the phone. She gasped when she saw the photograph of a nude woman. She tapped a button on the phone. "This is what awaits you when you get home. Love, K.," Drew read aloud.

"What's he doing?" Darla asked in a shaky voice. "Drew, what if he's cheating on me! What is this girl doing sending him messages like this?"

"Maybe it's just a fan," Drew said. "Some crazy girl sending him photos. I've heard that happens to famous people."

"But how did she get his number?" Darla asked.

Drew shrugged and pressed another button on the phone. She saw a list of old text and photo messages from "Katya". "Who's Katya?" Drew asked.

"His... partner..." Darla shook her head. "She's on the campaign with him..."

Drew handed her the phone. "There are other messages, Dar."

Darla took the phone with a shaking hand, her face growing redder as she looked at each message.

"I hope you're hungry," Hans' voice called out from the hall. "I bought two boxes..."

Hans had barely stepped into the room when Darla threw the mobile at his head as hard as she could.

Hans ducked just in time and the phone hit the wall.

"Whoa!" Hans exclaimed. "What was that for?"

"Katya?" Darla asked shrilly.

Hans set the boxes of pastries aside. "What about her?" he asked.

"Why the HELL is she sending you nude photos of herself?" Darla shouted.

Hans looked over at Drew. "Do you mind?"

Drew held up her hands. "I'm not the one who did something wrong here."

"Neither have I," Hans glared at her before turning his attention back to his wife. "Darla, it was just a joke. Katya does stuff like that all the time. It doesn't mean anything."

"It's a JOKE?" Darla asked angrily. "A JOKE?"

"Darla, calm down," Hans said reaching for her.

"Don't touch me!" Darla jerked away.

"Look," Hans said holding up his hands. "Nothing is going on with Katya and me. Absolutely nothing."

"Then explain the pictures and messages," Darla hissed. "Why you've got loads of them on the phone there!"

"Darla, I love you," Hans said. "Only you."

Darla opened her mouth to deny his claim but a sharp pain in her stomach made her double over.

"Darla!" Drew exclaimed.

"Oh no..." Darla whimpered.

"What's wrong?" Hans asked.

"I don't know," Darla managed. "The baby..."

"I'll get Liam," Drew offered.

"Okay..." Darla cried out in pain again. "Something's wrong..."

Hans put his arm around her. "Darla..."

"Don't touch me," Darla wheezed.

"Darla," Hans protested.

"Just go away," Darla said as she closed her eyes tight. Another wave of pain washed over her abdomen and she clutched her stomach in her hands.

Hans did not want to upset her anymore than she already was. He could kill Katya for doing this and he cursed himself for not deleting those messages. The important thing now was making sure that Darla and Rafe were okay.

Lizzy hurried into the room. "Darla, tell me what's going on."

Darla shook her head. "I don't know. It just---hurts."

Lizzy pushed past Hans. "Where?"

Darla put her hand to her abdomen. "Here."

"Lie back," Lizzy said, pressing down a bit where Darla indicated.

"It's too early for labour," Darla said as she lay down on the bed.

"What happened?" Liam asked from the door. "I got here as quickly as I could."

"Darla's having abdominal pains," Lizzy told him.

"What caused them?" he asked.

"H-Hans and I were having a row," Darla said struggling to catch her breath.

Drew cast an accusing look at her brother in law.

"It's too early," Darla said looking pleadingly at Liam. "I can't be in labour."

"I think we should get her to the hospital," Liam said. "Fast."

"It's that serious?" Hans asked, concern etched across his handsome features.

Darla looked at Liam. "I don't want him anywhere near me."

"Don't worry," Drew said. "He won't be."

Hans glared at her. "I'm not leaving. That's my wife and my son."

"And you did this to them," Drew snapped at him.

"Liam, go ahead and bring her to St. Mungos," Lizzy said. "I'll go and tell the others and I'll meet you there."

Liam nodded tersely and gathered up Darla.

Drew followed with Hans hot on their heels.

"She doesn't want you there," Drew told him.

"I'll wait in the waiting room," Hans told her.

"Good," Drew stalked away.

A few minutes later, Darla found herself lying on a hospital bed while Liam examined her.

"What's wrong?" she whimpered. "What's wrong with my baby?"

"We're going to find out," Liam promised her. "And I know you're worried, but the important thing is to stay calm."

"I’ll try," Darla nodded.

"I'm going to check your blood pressure and we're going to monitor the baby's heartbeat," Liam told her. "All you have to do is stay calm."

She nodded again and tried to take calming, even breaths.

Liam tapped his wand to Darla's belly. "So," he said trying to keep her mind off of what he was doing. "How's your father's diet going?"

"Okay," Darla closed her eyes. "He doesn't need to diet though."

"That's what my Da tells my mother," Liam said. "But, she insists on making all healthy foods these days and tries to get me to tell my Da that it's the best thing for him. He still likes his corned beef, though."

Darla had to smile. "Dad used to eat that almost every day when we lived in Ireland."

"My Da sneaks down to the pub to order it," Liam said. "But he doesn't think we know."

"Parents aren't too sneaky," Darla winced as another wave of pain washed over her.

Liam waved his wand over Darla's belly again and whispered something to the nurse.

"What?" Darla asked.

"I'm thinking this isn't as serious as I first thought," Liam explained. "Your blood pressure is elevated, of course, but that's likely because you were in an agitated state..."

"So the baby's okay?" Darla asked hopefully.

"His heartbeat is strong," Liam told her.

Darla nodded. "That's good--"

"I still want to monitor you for the next few hours," Liam said. "At least until your blood pressure goes down."

"But Rafe is okay?" she asked.

Liam nodded. "I think so and if all goes well, you'll be meeting him in four weeks."

Darla sobbed. "Thank you."

"My pleasure," Liam said grinning at her.

"Thank you for coming so quickly," Darla said softly.

"Thank you for being such a good patient," Liam said. He looked at the nurse. "Can you get a glass of water for Mrs. Feinbach?"

"Of course," she replied.

"Thank you," Darla said softly as the nurse went into the loo.

"No corned beef though," Liam told her with a grin.

"I promise," Darla said. "I was never that fond of it."

"I bet I know something that might make you feel better," Liam told her.

"What's that?" she asked.

Liam said a quick spell and waved his wand over Darla's abdomen. On the opposite wall, Darla saw a picture of her baby in the womb.

"He's gotten so big!" Darla exclaimed.

"He's almost ready," Liam said. "Just not today."

"Look at his foot!" Darla gasped, smiling at Liam.

Liam grinned back at her. "Pretty amazing."

"I'm so glad he's okay," Darla said softly.

"Me too," he patted her hand.

"Thank you," Darla said again.

"I'm here for you anytime," he said.

Darla looked properly at him for the first time and noticed the circles under his eyes and the stubble on his chin. "Liam Thornhart, how long have you been on duty?"

"Um... since yesterday, about four?" he replied.

The nurse came back with a glass of water and handed it to Darla. "He means four in the morning," she told Darla.

Darla gave him a look. "You should go get some sleep!"

"I'm fine," Liam told her. "No worries."

"You're not going to give your patients the time and attention they deserve if you're falling asleep," Darla lectured.

"Anyone ever tell you that you're bossy?" Liam asked her.

"Yes," Darla answered.

"I will get some sleep once I know that you're blood pressure is down," Liam told her.

"I'm calm," Darla reassured him.

"How about I go and tell your parents and sister that you're okay and then I go and take a kip?" Liam asked her.

"Deal," Darla told him. "Can Drew come in here?"

Liam nodded. "I'll send her in and you stay calm and rest."

"Thank you," Darla said again.

Liam smiled at Darla and was about to walk out of the room, but Darla called him back. "Liam? I don't want to see Hans."

"I wont' say anything to him," Liam told her.

"Thank you," Darla said smiling slightly at him. Liam walked into the waiting room which was full of Weasleys. "How is she?" Luna asked him. "She and the baby?"

"They're going to be fine," Liam assured her. "Rafe is healthy and staying put for now."

Luna smiled. "Thank you, Liam. We were so worried."

"She'd like to see you," he looked over at Drew.

"I'd like to see her first," Hans chimed in before Drew could even get up from her seat.

"She specifically said she wanted to see her sister," Liam replied. "I can only allow Drew inside."

"I'm her husband," Hans argued. "I have a right to see my wife."

"I'm obligated to follow my patient's wishes," Liam replied.

Hans glared at him. "I bet you're loving this, aren't you?"

"Leave him alone," Drew glared at Hans. "This is your fault to begin with!"

"Hans, I think you should give Darla some time," Ron said stepping in between his daughter and son-in-law. He was trying very hard to control his own anger. "This isn't good for Darla. The important thing is that she stays stress-free right now."

Hans looked back and forth between Drew and Ron for a long moment before sitting back down.

"After Drew, let's keep it to one visitor at a time," Liam told the other Weasleys. "I want her to rest."

Drew hurried down to her sister's room. "Hey."

"Hey," Darla said smiling at her.

"Feeling better?" Drew reached for her hand.

Darla nodded. "Liam let me see Rafe. He's getting so big, Drew."

"I bet," Drew smiled at her. "It's pretty incredible seeing him like that."

"I feel like I can breathe easy knowing he's okay," Darla said.

"We just need to keep you quiet for another month," Drew said. "No more wild and crazy parties for you."

Darla laughed. "Since I was such a big party animal before, eh?"

"Wild woman," Drew squeezed her hand.

"Is he out there?" Darla asked.

Drew nodded. "He wants to come in but Liam told him he couldn't."

"I guess everyone knows what he did," Darla said quietly.

Drew shrugged. "I didn't say anything to anyone..."

"They'll know soon enough," Darla said, shaking her head. "I was such a fool, Drew."

Drew squeezed her hand. "You didn't know he'd go this far."

"I wish I knew what to do," Darla said as tears welled up in her eyes.

"I'll be here for you," Drew said. "You were here for me when I had everything going on with Paul and Hope."

Darla squeezed her hand. "Thanks, Drew."

"Anytime," Drew smiled at her.

The nurse came back into the room to check Darla's vital signs once more. "Healer Thornhart's really been here since yesterday morning at four?" Darla asked her.

"Yes ma'am," the nurse said. "He was about to leave but the call came in for you so he stayed to take it."

"He works too hard," Darla said to Drew. "I hope he's getting some sleep."

"I'm sure he'll go right now," Drew assured her.

"He's asked me to notify him if anything changes in your condition, Mrs. Feinbach," the nurse told her.

"I'm sure I'll be fine," Darla said.

Hans had grown tired of waiting and being under the watchful eyes of the other Weasleys. All three Weasley brothers looked like the wanted to throttle him. He muttered to Luna that he'd be right back. Luna didn't even look in his direction. Hans sighed and decided to go and grab a cup of coffee.

He wanted to kill Katya for sending that picture, but he really had no one to blame but himself.

It was only a matter of time before she would have found out. The important thing now was to talk to Darla and reassure her that she and Rafe were all that mattered to him. He caught sight of Liam Thornhart down the corridor. "Thornhart!" Hans called out.

Liam turned. "Yes?" he asked coolly.

"I need to see my wife," Hans pleaded.

"She doesn't want to be disturbed," Liam replied.

"I just need a few minutes, mate," Hans said. "She and I had a disagreement---"

"I'm respecting her wishes," Liam told him.

Hans rolled his eyes. "All I need is five minutes."

Liam held up his hands. "I'm sorry."

Hans had a feeling the healer wasn't sorry at all. "I'll talk with Lizzy."

"She'll tell you the same thing," Liam told him. "That we're respecting the patient's wishes."

Hans shook his head. "Fine. Dar will see me eventually."

"That's up to her," Liam replied.

"My son," Hans said looking at Liam. "He's really okay?"

"He's fine," Liam assured him. "Strong and healthy."

Hans sighed in relief.

Liam nodded to him. "It's your wife you should worry about. Any more stress and she could deliver early."

"We're leaving for New York City in the morning," Hans said. "She can still travel, right?"

Liam stared at him. "She needs to be on bed rest."

"She will be," Hans said. "Once we're in New York."

"I highly recommend she not travel until the baby is born," Liam warned him.

"That's not for another four weeks," Hans replied.

"That's when he's due," Liam said. "If you'll excuse me--"

Hans nodded and stalked off in the other direction.

"What a piece of work," Liam muttered.

Liam opened the door to the on-call room and sat down on one of the cots. He was knackered and knew he needed sleep.

Hans knew that Darla was only supposed to have one visitor at a time but he couldn't help himself. He had to explain to her what was going on.

He saw Jon leaving her room and he decided it was now or never.

He sneaked over and stood in the door. "Dar--"

Darla turned her head and stared wordlessly at him.

"Dar--" he began again. "I just... nothing's happened."

"Nothing?" Darla asked quietly.

"Nothing," he said, coming into the room.

"How long has 'nothing' been going on?" Darla asked him.

"Darla she's relentless," Hans said.

"Poor you," Darla said sarcastically. "Having to fight her off..."

"I don't want her!" Hans exclaimed.

"I saw the messages she sent you," Darla retorted. "And I saw the messages you sent back!"

"I didn't--" he started.

"Get out of my room!" Darla hissed, putting her hand to her belly.

"I have every right to be here!" Hans said.

"Why did you even come back here?" Darla asked him, trying to stay calm.

"Because I was worried about you and our son," Hans told her.

"Not here," Darla said shaking her head. "To Brighton. Why didn't you just stay in New York and be with that slag?"

"I don't want Katya," Hans said. "Nothing happened between us, Dar."

"Why was she sending you nude pictures then?" Darla asked.

"Because she thinks something's going on," Hans replied.

"Why would she think that?" Darla asked point-blank.

"I don't know..." Hans said.

Darla raised an eyebrow. "Hans."

"We kissed," Hans mumbled, avoiding her eyes. "It didn't mean anything."

"You're lying," Darla said quietly.

"I swear, that's all we did," Hans said desperately.

Darla did not know what to believe. "These last few days reminded me of how we used to be, you know? It was like I had you back all to myself, but it wasn't really you, was it?"

"Of course it was," he argued.

"I'm not saying this was all your fault," Darla said. "I've been sitting here thinking about everything. If I'd compromised sooner, maybe we could have made it work. I was dead set on staying here and you were committed to your job."

Hans sat down on the edge of her bed. "What do we do?"

"I don't know," Darla replied. "Maybe it's best if we take some time apart."

"You want us to separate?" Hans asked.

Darla nodded. "You have to go back to work and I can't travel like this."

Hans picked at her blanket. "Dar..."

"I'm not saying it's going to be permanent," Darla said softly. "And I'll let you know what's going on with the baby."

"I want to be here for the birth," Hans said. "I don't care what I'm doing."

Darla nodded. "Of course."

Hans sighed. "I wish it didn't have to be like this."

"Me either," Darla said quietly.

"I love you," he told her.

"I love you too," Darla said as a tear fell down her cheek.

"We can make this work if we really want to," Hans told her. "But if you need time, I'll give it to you."

Darla gave his hand a squeeze. "The most important thing right now is our baby."

He nodded.

"Okay, sweetheart," Ron said as he opened the door. "I have some fresh fruit here---"

Ron stopped short. "What the hell are you doing in here?"

"It's okay, Daddy," Darla said. "Hans and I needed to talk."

"Don’t' you go upsetting her," Ron warned him.

"I'm not," Hans said. "In fact, I was just going. I have a portkey to catch."

"Figures," Ron muttered.

Hans ignored him as he leaned in to give Darla a kiss on the forehead. "I'll check in later."

Darla nodded.

Ron watched as his son-in-law left the room.

"Darla," Ron said. "I hope he wasn't--"

Darla shook her head. "He wasn't. We---we decided to separate for awhile."

Ron nodded. "I'm sorry baby."

"Can I have a hug?" Darla asked in a small voice.

"Of course," Ron set the tray down and pulled his daughter close.

Darla sobbed into her father's shoulder.

"I'm sorry baby," Ron said soothingly.

"Oh, Daddy," Darla said. "I can't believe this is happening."

"You should stay calm, sweetheart," Ron told her. "Remember, stress isn't good for the baby."

Darla nodded and wiped at her eyes. "You---you brought me some food?"

"Are you hungry?" Ron asked.

"The nurse said I should eat something," Darla said looking at her father. She patted her stomach. "He is part Weasley. He's always hungry."

"That's right," Ron said, putting the fruit on her tray and pushing it in front of her.

"Fresh pineapple," Darla said picking up her fork.

"If you want more, I'll get you some," Ron said.

"This is fine," Darla said. "It was very sweet of you to get this for me."

"Anything you need," Ron said. "Just ask."

Darla smiled at him. "I'm just glad you're all here."

"We wouldn't be anywhere else," he assured her.

"Do you think I did the right thing?" Darla asked him.

"You have to do what's best for you," Ron told her.

"And Rafe," Darla said.

"You have to put him first," Ron said.

"I just hope I can be as good a mum as you are a dad," Darla said.

"You will," Ron smiled at her.

"He, um, he said they'd only kissed," Darla said spearing a piece of pineapple with her fork.

Ron shook his head. "Fool."

"She's a supermodel, Dad," Darla said.

"You're more beautiful than any supermodel," he said.

"You have to say that because you're my dad," Darla said with a wry smile.

"I say it because it's true," Ron took the empty plate and pushed the tray away. "Now we're under strict orders to let you get your rest."

"Will you and Mum come back later?" Darla asked him.

Ron nodded. "We won't be leaving."

Darla squeezed his hand. "Thanks, Daddy."

"Sleep," Ron kissed her forehead.

"I will," Darla said.

Once her father had gone Darla looked out the window and noticed it had begun to rain. The weather matched her mood.

Just a few hours ago, she'd been packing her belongings.

She sighed. "What are we going to do, Rafe?" she whispered.

The sound of her baby's strong heartbeat soothed her and before long, she had fallen asleep.

*** *** ***

"What time is it?" Saffron asked nervously.

"Two minutes since the last time you asked," Alexa said patting her friend on the arm. "Its okay, Saffy."

Saffron wasn't so sure about that. She had decided to visit a Muggle doctor in Brighton to find out the conception date of her baby. She knew that given who she was and who her parents were, anonymity wouldn't be so easy if she had decided to go into St. Mungos. Alexa had made the appointment for her and had graciously agreed to go with her for moral support.

"Finding out when this baby was conceived is going to change my entire life," Saffron said.

"It's going to be Andrew's and you'll have worried for nothing," Alexa said squeezing her hand.

"I hope so," Saffron rubbed at her forehead.

"Miss Potter?" the receptionist called.

Saffron stood up, swallowing the lump in her throat.

"I'll be right out here," Alexa told her.

Saffron nodded. "Okay..."

The receptionist smiled at her. "You can go into that room on the right there. Change into the gown and the doctor will be with you shortly."

"Thank you," Saffron managed.

She closed the examination room door behind her and set her purse down on the chair.

While changing into the gown she examined her stomach closely.

There was a slight bulge and Saffron gasped. She was already starting to show.

She quickly pulled the gown over her head so she didn't have to see it anymore and sat on the table.

"Hello, Miss Potter," the doctor said as she came into the room. "I'm Dr. Saybrooke."

"Hi," Saffron squeaked.

"No need to be nervous," Dr. Saybrooke said, smiling reassuringly at her.

"I'm sorry," Saffron said. "I guess I'm just terrified."

"Unplanned pregnancy?" the doctor asked her.

"You could say that," she said dryly.

"Is the baby's father here?" Dr. Saybrooke asked. "Perhaps it would put you at ease if he was back here with you."

Saffron shook her head. "Just my friend Alexa."

"Would you like to have her come back here with you?" Dr. Saybrooke asked. "I can have the nurse get her."

Saffron nodded.

It only took a moment for Alexa to poke her head into the room. "Are you okay, Saffy? They said you needed me."

"Just for moral support," Saffron said. "If you don't mind---"

"Of course," Alexa replied.

"We're going to do an ultrasound," Dr. Saybrooke told Saffron.

Saffron nodded and reached for Alexa's hand.

Alexa squeezed her friend's hand as the doctor asked Saffron some preliminary questions.

"When were you last sexually active?" Dr. Saybrooke asked.

"A week ago," Saffron replied.

"And when were you first sexually active?" Dr. Saybrooke wrote something down on her clipboard.

"About eight months ago," Saffron replied.

"Okay," Dr. Saybrooke set her clipboard aside and went to a set of drawers.

Saffron watched as the nurse set up a computer monitor. Saffron knew exactly what that was for and could not believe that in a few short minutes, she'd see her baby for the first time.

"This gel is going to be cold," Dr. Saybrooke said.

Saffron nodded.

The doctor spread the gel over her stomach then brought out the ultrasound device. "Let's see what we’ve got here..."

Alexa squeezed Saffron's hand and smiled reassuringly at her.

Saffron looked at her best friend. "I'm scared," she whispered.

"It

"It's going to be fine," Alexa whispered back.

Saffron bit her lower lip as Dr. Saybrooke pressed the device to her stomach and turned the machine on.

"Ah," Dr. Saybrooke said a few second later. "There's your little one."

Saffron's eyes filled with tears. "That's my baby?"

"That's your baby," Dr. Saybrooke said.

"That's incredible Saffy," Alexa breathed.

The doctor pointed at the screen. "There's the arm..."

"Wow," Saffron whispered.

Saffron could not help the smile that spread across her face as she looked at the image of her baby. "Can you tell how far along I am?" Saffron asked.

Dr. Saybrooke nodded. "You're about three months along."

"Three months?" Saffron asked. "Really?"

"The baby's formed this much around that time," Dr. Saybrooke pointed to a few things.

"And," Dr. Saybrooke told her. "I'm thinking your due date will be around December 20th."

Saffron stared at the image on the screen. "Wow..."

"A Christmas baby," Alexa said.

"I think it's a bit early to determine the sex, and with the way the baby is positioned, it's pretty near impossible to tell." Dr. Saybrooke told her.

Alexa looked at Saffron. "Your baby is shy. Who would think it?"

Saffron managed a small smile.

"So if you know my due date," Saffron said, biting her lip. "Can you tell the date the baby was conceived?"

"It would have been some time in mid March," Dr. Saybrooke told her.

Saffron paled. "M-mid March? No---"

"Saffy?" Alexa looked alarmed.

"Daniel," Saffron said quietly. "The baby's Daniel's."

Alexa gaped at her. "Are you sure?"

Saffron nodded. That had been around the time of Scanlon's party.

"Oh Saffy..." Alexa said. "I... I don't even know what to say."

"Neither do I," Saffron said wiping at her eyes.

"It'll be okay," Alexa said.

"You'll want to see your regular physician in a couple of weeks," Dr. Saybrooke told Saffron. "But you should start taking vitamins..."

Saffron nodded.

The doctor handed a slip of paper to Saffron along with a picture of the baby from the ultrasound.

"Thank you," Saffron said quietly.

"If you need anything else while you're in Brighton, don't hesitate to call me," Dr. Saybrooke said.

"I will," Saffron sat up.

Alexa looked at Saffron when they were alone. "Saffy, you know Andrew's---"

"It's not his," Saffron said. "Not his baby."

"Saffy, he's going to love that baby because it's part of you," Alexa said thoughtfully.

"But not part of him," Saffron grabbed her clothing.

"That's just biology," Alexa said. "Look at Hannah. She's not biologically Frankie or Will's, but they love that little girl just like she was their own flesh and blood."

"That's different," Saffron said as tears stung at her eyes.

"Saffy," Alexa said. "Don't do this. You know Andrew. You know that he loves you more than anything in this world."

"How could he love me when I'm pregnant with someone else's baby?" Saffron asked.

"Saffy," Alexa started to say, but Saffron held up her hand. "I'm going to get changed," Saffron told her. "I'll meet you out front."

"Are you sure?" Alexa asked doubtfully.

Saffron nodded. "Yeah."

"I'll be right outside," Alexa told her.

"Thanks, Lexie," Saffron said weakly.

Alexa squeezed her shoulder and left her alone.

Saffron put her head in her hands and started to cry.

The baby was Daniel's. That she was sure of. And there was no way she could ask Andrew to raise another bloke's child.

Just when she thought she getting everything together and everything was falling into place. This had to happen to knock her off her feet again.

The most heartbreaking thing was Andrew. She didn't know how she was going to handle things with him.

To make matters worse, she had told him she'd go to dinner with him tonight---just the two of them. She had tried to beg off, but he'd insisted.

Saffron pulled her shirt on and wiped at her eyes.

She went to pick up the prescription slip and her eyes fell on the ultrasound photograph.

No matter whose baby this was, it was part hers and she loved it already.

Saffron patted her stomach. "I'm going to take care of you."

Alexa looked up expectantly when Saffron emerged from the exam room.

"How are you holding up?" Alexa asked hesitantly.

"Okay," Saffron replied.

Alexa gave her a hug. "It's going to be fine."

Saffron shrugged. "Not really... but I'll survive."

"It will be fine," Alexa repeated. "Come on. We should go home so you can get ready for your date with Andrew." Alexa had a feeling Saffron wasn't going to be much in the mood for the surprise party, but there was no going back now. Everything and everyone was in place.

"I'm thinking it may not be the best idea to go out tonight," Saffron said.

"You're going to tell him right?" Alexa asked.

"I don't know," Saffron said dully.

Alexa was at a complete loss as to what to say or do. She linked her arm in her best friend's and together the two of them walked out of the doctor's office.

"I don't know how I'm going to tell everyone," Saffron finally said.

"I know it's not going to be easy, but everyone loves you," Alexa said. "We'll all support you."

"I hope so," Saffron said quietly.

Authors’ note: We know a lot of you aren’t going to be happy with this turn of events. If you choose to stop reading, that’s your decision. But, we hope that you won’t. We just ask you to trust us. You will not be disappointed. Trust us.

270. Chapter 270: The Engagement Party

Authors’ note: Quite a response to the last chapter! We know that a lot of you are disappointed and angry. We hope that you will continue to read and trust us. This storyline is going to bring Neville/Cho back into the fold because out of all of them, that couple would understand what is going on with Andrew and Saffy. For those of you who think that this is a rehash of that storyline, it really isn’t. It is a completely different situation, but the question is the same---can you love a child who is not biologically yours? Neville/Cho/Chiaki are going to try and help Saffy and Andrew through this. Just keep that in mind. For the readers that we might have lost, we do understand why they might have stopped reading, but they really are going to miss out on this because something good might just come out of this mess. We really do hope that you all will continue to read. And, if you haven’t already and you’d like a dose of happiness, read our Christmas fiction for the Last Dance Universe. We posted the first part on Wednesday and will post the second and final part this coming Wednesday. It’s titled, “Here Comes Santa Claus”. Thanks again and to all of you, Happy Holidays!

Back at the beach house, Andrew was just coming inside from taking Puddles for his walk. He saw Chiaki and Toshio with their twins. "There's the groom-to-be!" Chiaki exclaimed.

Andrew grinned. "In the flesh."

Chiaki gave him a hug. "It's so good to see you!"

"You too," Andrew replied as Puddles dashed over to Sukie.

"Pup-py!" Sukie squealed.

"Hi doggy," Mas said, reaching for Puddles.

"Jules was telling us that Saffy hasn't been feeling well," Toshio commented to Andrew.

Andrew shook his head. "She's been pretty much in bed all week."

"This party might be just what she needs," Chiaki said.

"I think it'll cheer her up," Andrew nodded.

"Sassy's pup-py," Sukie announced patting Puddle's on the top of his head.

"That's right sweetheart," Toshio told her.

"They're getting so big," Andrew said. "I know Saffy's going to love seeing them."

"Where is Sassy?" Mas asked.

"She and Alexa went shopping," Andrew replied. "If she's well enough to shop, she'll be fine tonight," Chiaki reassured Andrew.

Andrew grinned. "I hope so."

"We'll make ourselves scarce," Chiaki said. "We don't want to spoil the surprise." She took Sukie's hand. "Come on, let's go and get ready for the party."

"I want my Snow dress," Sukie said.

Chiaki tickled her daughter's side. "You always want that dress."

"Because I'm Snow!" Sukie giggled.

"Okay, Snow," Chiaki picked up her daughter. She carried her upstairs and smiled when she saw her father coming out of his room.

"Daddy!" Neville's face lit up when he saw his daughter. "Sweetheart! I didn't think you lot were coming in until later!"

"We decided to come by a little early," Chiaki said. "Sukie wanted to see her cousins."

"Grandpa!" Sukie squealed, reaching for him.

"Hello you," Neville reached for his granddaughter.

Sukie beamed at him. "Grandpa!"

"How's my girl?" Neville asked.

"Snow's fine," Sukie replied putting her arms around his neck. Neville smiled at his daughter. "You know, she reminds me so much of you at this age."

Chiaki laughed. "That's a scary thought."

"Just like Mummy," Sukie grinned mischievously.

Neville laughed. "You're just like your mummy. Down to the dress."

"Mas and Toshio are still downstairs with Andrew," Chiaki told him.

"I just saw Saffron and Alexa down the street," Neville told her. "You may want to get them up here if you don't want Saffron to know you're here."

Chiaki looked over her shoulder. "Tosh! Come on upstairs with Mas!"

"Grandpa!" Mas reached to him when Toshio carried him upstairs.

"Hey, buddy!" Neville picked him up. "How's my little guy?"

"Good," Mas grinned at him.

Toshio laughed. "He's better than good. He and Sukie were really excited when we told them we were going to stay at the beach for a few days."

"I have princess club," Sukie told everyone.

"Of course, the meetings," Chiaki teased. "We can't miss those."

"I want to swim," Mas interrupted.

"You can go swimming with me," Toshio told his son. "We might even get your old Grandpa to go with us."

Mas laughed. "Okay!"

"Come on," Neville said to them. "Let's go hide so Saffy doesn't see us."

"Hide and seek?" Mas looked at his sister.

Sukie nodded. "Hide!"

"No seek," Chiaki said firmly.

The two children giggled as they ran into their room just as Alexa and Saffron entered the house.

"There's my girl," Andrew said.

Saffron froze. "Hi..."

"Something's wrong," Andrew said folding his arms.

"Just tired," Saffron managed.

Andrew laughed. "No, I mean, you went shopping and you came home empty-handed. I thought you'd be loaded down with bags."

"I didn't find anything," Saffron went to move past him.

Andrew grabbed her by the arm. "I missed you."

"I think I'm still sick," Saffron said.

Andrew looked at her. "You've been crying."

"I threw up in town," Saffron lied.

"She was going to take a kip before your date," Alexa told him.

"Oh," Andrew replied. "All right then."

Saffron went upstairs without another word. Andrew smiled at Alexa. "So, she doesn't suspect anything, does she?"

Alexa shook her head.

Andrew grinned. "I can't wait to see the look on her face when she sees everyone. And don't worry; RJ's handling the decorations with Gabe, Mimi, Jake and Beth. Peter couldn't come because of some big exam."

Alexa nodded. "Sounds good."

"Are you okay?" Andrew asked. "You look a little preoccupied."

"I'm fine," she said. "Just... tired I guess. I hope I'm not coming down with the same thing Saffy has."

"I hope not," Andrew said. "Maybe you should kip too. It's going to be a big night tonight."

"Good idea," Alexa said, eager to escape.

"I'll see you later," Andrew said. "And I hope you feel better."

"Thanks," Alexa watched him head into the sitting room. She felt awful not being able to tell him what she knew.

Saffron managed to get some sleep and she was grateful that Andrew didn't interrupt her. The last thing she wanted was to look into his face and tell him the horrible truth. She would go out with him tonight and break the news to him. Tell him that she would always love him, but she would not tie him down like this.

She didn't even want to go that night but he was insistent.

She half-heartedly went through the motions of getting ready.

Saffron was dismayed to see that all of her clothing revealed the slight bulge in her stomach, but she hoped it wasn't big enough that everyone would notice.

Andrew came into the room carrying two neckties. "Okay, which do you like best, the blue or the grey?"

Saffron jumped. "What?"

"Sorry," Andrew apologised. "I thought you heard me come in. I was wondering which tie you thought went best? The blue or the grey?"

"Um... the blue I guess," Saffron said quietly.

Andrew grinned. "Will you help me tie it? I'm rubbish with that, as you well know..."

Saffron managed a tiny smile. "Sure."

"You look beautiful," Andrew told her as she took the tie from him. "I always love it when you wear blue."

"It's the only thing that fits," she muttered.

"What?" Andrew asked.

"Nothing," Saffron said quickly. "Here..."

Andrew smiled at her. "I love you, Saf."

Saffron turned and faked a cough. "I um... I need to finish getting ready..."

"We need to get a move on," Andrew told her. "Our reservation at the Sand Dune is for seven."

"I'll only be a minute," Saffron fought back tears.

"Oh," Andrew said. "Before I forget, your coach came by earlier today."

"He did?" Saffron asked.

"He wanted to speak with you and RJ," Andrew told her. "Apparently, there's some big charity match being planned to benefit House Elves Rights. You were selected to play on a team."

"I was?" Saffron asked, brushing at her hair.

"Yeah, you and Natalia were the only female players invited out of the whole league," Andrew said. "That's quite an honour, Saf."

"Me and Natalia?" Saffron asked uncertainly.

"Yeah," Andrew nodded. "But don't worry. Audrey says she seems really happy with this new bloke she's seeing. I don't think it'll be a problem."

"Hopefully not," Saffron set the brush down.

"I'll be downstairs," Andrew told her.

"I'll only be another minute or two," Saffron replied.

Andrew grinned at her again before he walked out of the room. Saffron felt another pang of guilt. He was so happy and in a few minutes, she'd break his heart.

She wondered if she should do it before dinner. It was probably best.

When she stepped out of the room, she was amazed at how quiet the house seemed.

"Where is everyone?" she asked Andrew.

"The neighbours were having a barbecue," Andrew told her. "I think they're all over there."

"Oh," Saffron accepted the story. "Okay..."

Andrew took her hand. "Ready?"

"Just a minute--" she began.

"We're running late," Andrew cut her off. "We don't want to miss the reservation."

"I'm sure a few minutes won't hurt," Saffron tried again.

"Come on, Miss Potter," Andrew said taking her by the hand again. "Let's go. I'm starving."

Saffron helplessly followed him out of the house.

At the Sand Dune, everyone was waiting for the guests of honour. Everyone seemed to be in a party mood, except for Alexa.

Gabe nudged his girlfriend. "You know, this is a party..."

"Sorry," she said. "I'm tired."

"You and RJ really did an amazing job planning this," Gabriel said looking around at the banquet room.

"Thanks," Alexa replied distantly.

"How about I go and grab us a drink?" Gabriel offered.

"Sure," Alexa replied. "Thanks Gabe."

The other party planner was in a much better mood. He was going around the party taking photographs. Audrey had come up with the idea to do a photo album to present to the happy couple.

"Smile, Drew," RJ said snapping a photo of her and Chloe.

"Junior, you've already taken seven of us," Drew pointed out. "I can't see from that bloody flash."

"Blind," Chloe said, repeating what her mother had commented moments ago.

"Sorry," RJ apologised. "Don't worry, Drew. I had the chef send over some food to Darla at the hospital."

"That was nice of you, RJ." Drew said.

"She's my big sister," RJ said. "And I know she hated missing the party."

"She's better off there tonight," Drew replied, shifting Chloe to her other arm.

"Peace and quiet," RJ grinned. "Something that's rare at the beach house."

"Well at least she's at the hospital where they can keep an eye on things for us," Drew replied. "I would be there with her except she said she wanted to sleep."

"I'm glad you decided to come," RJ said smiling at his sister. "It wouldn't be a party without Princess Chloe."

"Where's Aud?" Chloe asked.

"She's talking with Nana and Grandpa Arthur over there," RJ said motioning to the front of the room.

"I want to see her," Chloe replied.

"Come on then," RJ said taking her from Drew. "Let's go, Munchkin."

"Kay," Chloe said happily. "I can't wait for Sassy to come!"

"Should be soon," RJ told her as he carried her over to Audrey and his grandparents.

"Hi Aud!" Chloe reached for her.

"Hiya, Chloe!" Audrey said hugging the little girl. "Don't you look pretty!"

Chloe grinned at her.

Molly looked around the room. "I can't wait to see Saffy's face when she sees everyone!"

"She needs a pick me up and I think this will do it," RJ agreed.

Mimi ran into the room. "They're arriving! Everyone get into place!"

"Let's hide," Audrey told Chloe. "Quick!"

Chloe giggled. "Hide from Sassy!"

"Why are we coming back here?" Saffron asked Andrew. "The tables are all up front..."

"This one back here has the best seaside view," Andrew said. "I want tonight to be romantic."

"But Andrew--" Saffron began.

Andrew gave her a kiss. "Come on."

Saffron sighed in frustration. Every attempt she'd made to talk to him he had thwarted.

Andrew opened the door and Saffron gasped when a room full of their family and friends shouted "SURPRISE!"

"What.... why?" she asked.

"Your engagement, silly!" Beth replied, coming forward to give her a hug. "Happy Engagement!"

"Oh..." Saffron said, the sinking feeling in her stomach intensifying.

Andrew put his arm around her. "Were you surprised?"

"Very..." Saffron uttered.

"Sassy!" Chloe, Casey, Mas, Sukie, Noah and Aidan made a beeline for her.

The sight of their little faces made Saffron feel a bit better. She knelt down and managed to capture them all in one big hug.

"I'm so glad all of you are here," Saffron whispered.

"I'm the flower girl!" Chloe said happily.

"Yes you are," Saffron said softly. She felt fresh tears welling up in her eyes.

"Why sad?" Mas asked.

Saffron put her hand on his chubby cheek. "I'm not sad, Mas. I'm just so happy to see you."

"Me too," Mas grinned.

Andrew tugged affectionately at one of Casey's plaits. "They were all great at keeping the secret."

"We didn't tell," Casey said proudly.

"RJ promised them all big pieces of cake if they didn't tell," Andrew explained.

"I get the biggest!" Sukie claimed.

"I get the biggest," Emma announced coming up behind all of them with Adam.

"Of course you do," RJ grinned at his niece.

Andrew put his hand on Saffron's shoulder. "You can thank RJ and Lexie for putting this together for us."

Saffron turned to look at her friends. While RJ looked smug- no doubt happy she'd been surprised- Alexa just looked apprehensive.

She caught sight of her parents standing with Ethan and Maddie. Baby Kiera was staring at Saffron's stomach. Saffron instinctively put a hand to her stomach. The room suddenly felt extremely warm and crowded. Saffron felt as if she couldn't breathe.

"Saffy?" Alexa rushed to her side.

Saffron latched onto her friend's arm. "I--I can't---"

"It's okay," Alexa told her.

Saffron shook her head. "No. It's not okay. It's never going to be okay again..."

"What are you talking about?" Andrew asked her.

Saffron turned to look at him. "Andrew, I need to talk to you."

"About what?" Andrew asked.

Saffron could not tell him with everyone watching like this. She took his hand and led him outside the room.

"What is going on?" Andrew asked, starting to get worried.

Saffron could not look at him. She had no idea how she could tell him her news.

"Tell me what's going on," he reached for her hand. "We'll get through whatever it is."

Saffron pulled away. "I didn't go shopping today, Andrew."

He shook his head in confusion. "Then where--"

"Alexa went with me to the doctor's," Saffron interjected. "I found out---I found out that I was--"

"Found out you were what?" Andrew asked. "Sick?"

Saffron shook her head. "Pregnant."

For a long terrible moment Andrew just stared at her. "What?"

"I found out a couple of days ago when I took a home pregnancy test," Saffron said, her voice barely above a whisper.

"A few days ago?" Andrew asked. "Saffy-- why didn't you tell me?"

Saffron bit her bottom lip. "I wanted to be sure..."

"But I would have gone with you," Andrew said.

Saffron shook her head. "You don't understand, Andrew."

"Don't understand what?" Andrew asked. "You're pregnant with our child--"

Saffron's legs felt shaky and she clutched the back of a chair for support.

Andrew caught her. "Saffy--"

"The baby's not yours," Saffron choked out.

He froze.

"The baby's Daniel's," Saffron said unable to look at him.

"O'Neal's?" Andrew asked.

"I'm so sorry," Saffron whispered.

"Saf..." Andrew shook his head. "It doesn't matter."

"It changes everything!" Saffron protested.

"I love you," Andrew argued. "We'll work something out. Maybe the baby isn't his!"

Saffron shook her head. "The doctor confirmed it, Andrew."

"But we don't know that the baby is HIS," Andrew said.

"We do," Saffron shook her head.

"How?" Andrew asked.

"The doctor said the baby was conceived in mid-March," Saffron told him, her eyes shining with tears. "That's when Scanlon's party was."

Andrew felt like he'd been punched in the gut.

Saffron reluctantly pulled her engagement ring off of her finger. "I'm so sorry, Andrew."

Andrew shook his head.

'"You didn't sign on for this," Saffron said holding out the ring.

"I'm not taking that back," Andrew said.

"Take it," Saffron pleaded.

"No," Andrew said. "We aren't breaking up."

Saffron stared at him.

"We aren't breaking up," he said firmly.

"Did you hear anything I said?" Saffron asked him in disbelief. "This baby isn't yours."

"I don't care," Andrew replied. "I love you, and I'll love this baby."

Saffron shook her head. "You say that now..."

"I mean it," Andrew replied.

Saffron opened her mouth to say something, but the door to the banquet room opened and Hermione stepped out. "Saffron?"

Andrew turned and Saffron took that moment to press the ring into his hand and dash away.

"Saffron!" Hermione called out to her daughter.

Saffron didn't stop; she rushed out of the restaurant and managed to hold back her tears until she was outside on the pavement.

The night air was cold on her skin, but she didn't care. She kept seeing Andrew's face in her mind.

Hermione couldn't let her daughter run off. "Saffron!" she called.

Saffron wiped at her eyes.

"Baby what's wrong?" Hermione caught up to her.

"I'm not feeling well," Saffron said; which was true.

"Why didn't you just say so?" Hermione asked. "I'm sure Andrew would have sat outside with you."

"I'm going to go home," Saffron said wiping at her eyes.

"Sweetheart tell me what's wrong," Hermione said concerned.

Saffron sat down on one of the benches. She put her head in her hands. The last thing she wanted to do was disappoint her mother, too.

"Tell me, love." Hermione said softly.

"Mum," Saffron looked up. "I'm--pregnant."

Hermione was speechless.

Saffron told her mother about taking the at-home test and then going to the Muggle doctor. "The baby's Daniel O'Neal's, Mum."

"Oh sweetheart," Hermione hugged her tightly.

Saffron sobbed into her mother's shoulder.

"It's going to be okay," Hermione soothed her.

"I broke things off with Andrew," Saffron told her.

"Why?" Hermione asked.

"This baby changes everything," Saffron said, putting her hand to her stomach.

"I'm sure you and Andrew can work something out," Hermione told her.

"There's nothing to work out," Saffron said shaking her head. "I'm pregnant with Daniel O'Neal's baby, Mum."

Hermione sighed. "Let's get you back to the house..."

"There you two are," Harry said coming over to join them.

"We're going home," Hermione told her husband. "Will you... will you settle things at the restaurant then meet us at the house?"

"Saffy?" Harry asked his daughter. "What in the world is going on?"

Saffron just shook her head.

"Just meet us at the house," Hermione said to him. "We'll talk there."

"Okay," Harry said, still not ready to drop this. "If Andrew did something---"

"He didn't," Hermione reassured him. "Just ---just drop it for now, Harry."

Saffron crossed her arms around herself and blinked to fight back her tears.

"I'll meet you back at the house," Harry told them.

"Thank you," Hermione said softly.

Saffron leaned against her mother. "I wanted to talk to you about this since I found out."

"Why didn't you say anything?" Hermione asked.

"I couldn't," Saffron said.

"You can tell us anything," Hermione told her.

Saffron stopped walking and turned to face her mother. "I saw the baby, you know? In the ultrasound..."

"You saw the baby?" Hermione asked.

Saffron nodded and reached into her purse. She pulled out the ultrasound photograph.

"Oh sweetheart," Hermione's eyes flooded with tears.

"The doctor said it was too early to tell if it's a boy or a girl," Saffron said softly.

"This is beautiful," Hermione said. "I know what's happened to you is inexcusable--"

Saffron nodded. "I can't hate the baby. It's a part of me."

Hermione nodded. "Your father is going to be upset about this, but not at you."

Saffron looked at her mother. "Maybe I should go home to London."

"If that's what you want..." Hermione said. "I’ll go with you."

"Mum, this is your holiday---" Saffron started to protest.

"I want to be with you," Hermione said. "You shouldn't be alone."

Saffron gave her mother a hug. "I love you so much, Mum."

"I love you too, baby." Hermione kissed the side of her daughter's head.

The two of them walked slowly back to the beach house. Everyone was still back at the restaurant and for that Saffron was grateful. She didn't want to face anyone else tonight. She hoped she'd be packed and gone before anyone else was the wiser.

Hermione smoothed her daughter's hair back. "Don't worry Saffron. We'll help you."

Saffron heard a loud pop from downstairs. "Dad's here."

Hermione squeezed her hand. "We'll tell him together."

Saffron nodded.

"What's going on?" Harry appeared in the doorway. "Don't tell me nothing--"

"Perhaps you should sit down," Hermione told him.

"Why?" he demanded.

Hermione put her hands on her hips. "Harry James Potter, sit down."

"Daddy," Saffron said as he perched on the edge of the bed. "Um... when... well that time that Daniel O'Neal..."

Harry sighed. "Saffy---"

"I'm pregnant," Saffron whispered.

Harry stared wordlessly at his daughter.

"Please don't hate me," she said, her voice shaking.

Harry took her hands in his. "Sweetheart, I could never hate you."

Saffron's lips trembled as she hugged her father.

"Everything's going to be okay," Harry said holding her tightly.

"She's three months along," Hermione told him.

"I have an ultrasound picture," Saffron said.

"Let's see it," Harry said squeezing her hand.

Saffron pulled it out and handed it to him. "We don't know if it's a boy or girl yet."

Harry looked at the photograph and smiled. "Another grandchild to spoil."

Saffron stared at the picture, her chest heavy. "I can't ask Andrew to raise Daniel O'Neal's child."

"Saffron," Hermione said gently. "Andrew's going to love this baby just as much as he would if it was his own."

Saffron shook her head.

"Your mother's right," Harry said. "He was really worried about you. I didn't know what to tell him because--well, I didn't know what was going on."

"I can't talk to him now," Saffron said, standing up and grabbing her suitcase. "I need some time."

"I'm going to go back home to London with Saffy," Hermione said to Harry.

Harry nodded. "I'll clear things up around here and come home tomorrow."

"Thanks, Daddy," Saffron said softly.

"Anything you need, baby." Harry said.

Saffron hugged him again. "I'm so sorry, Daddy."

"It's not your fault, sweetheart." Harry told her.

"I just keep finding some way to mess everything up," Saffron said, her lower lip trembling.

"You didn't do anything wrong," Hermione said.

"I know that logically, but emotionally, I just feel like I set this all in motion," Saffron said turning to look at her mother.

Hermione brushed her hair back. "Just know that we all love you, no matter what. And your father and I will always be here for you."

Saffron smiled slightly. "Thank you, Mum."

"I'll help you finish packing," Hermione said.

Saffron nodded.

"What would you like me to tell the others?" Harry asked.

Saffron sighed. "I'm sure Andrew's told them all by now."

"I'll set them all straight," Harry replied.

Saffron and Hermione packed their things fairly quickly. Saffron contemplated leaving Andrew a note, but she did not think of anything else she could say to him. She had already broken his heart.

Instead, she scrawled that she'd talk to him soon on a piece of paper and left it on the nightstand.

She knelt down and picked up Puddles. "It's time to go home."

Puddles licked at her face and wagged his tail.

Saffron gave him a slight smile. "You always try and make me feel better."

"He knows when you're upset," Hermione closed her daughter's suitcase.

"I just wish things were different," Saffron said. “You know when we arrived here, I was so happy."

Hermione put her arm around Saffron's shoulders. "I know, baby."

"Let's go, Mum," Saffron said softly.

It didn't take them long to reach the mansion back in London. "Want me to make you some tea?" Hermione asked.

"I'd like that," Saffron said sitting down on the sofa.

"I'll see if we have some scones too," Hermione went into the kitchen.

Puddles cuddled up beside Saffron and she looked around the room. Her whole world felt like it had fallen apart. Her eyes fell on a photograph of her grandmother.

"Oh, Gran," Saffron whispered. "I wish you were here to tell me what to do.

"She'd probably tell me to be strong," Saffron stroked her dog's head. "And that I can face any situation that came my way."

A few minutes later, Hermione came into the sitting room carrying a tray of tea and scones.

"Those smell good," she admitted.

"I imagine you're hungry," Hermione said.

"I haven't eaten today," Saffron said quietly.

"Sweetheart!" Hermione exclaimed. "You should eat something!"

"I will, right now." Saffron said. "I was just too nervous earlier."

"I can understand that," Hermione said pouring them each a cup of tea.

Saffron buttered one of the scones and devoured it. She was surprised at how hungry she suddenly was.

"You know," Hermione said. "When I was pregnant with you, I think I ate my weight in scones."

"Really?" Saffron asked.

Hermione nodded. "And one time, I got a craving for them at three in the morning. Your father had to Apparate all over London looking for an all-night bakery that had some."

Saffron had to laugh.

"And when I was pregnant with Ethan, I craved spicy foods," Hermione said. "Which was so strange, given I can't stand them normally."

"That explains a lot," Saffron fed a bit of scone to Puddles.

Hermione laughed. "You and your brother..."

"He's been good to me though," Saffron leaned back.

"He'd do anything for you," Hermione said. "We all would."

"Thanks," Saffron reached for another scone.

"So," Hermione said thoughtfully.

Saffron looked up at her mother.

"You've got a lot of decisions to make," Hermione said.

Saffron nodded. "I know."

"And no matter what you decide, we'll support you," Hermione said squeezing her hand.

"I can't get rid of my baby," Saffron said.

Hermione gave her a hug.

"But I can't make Andrew raise someone else's baby," Saffron said.

"Saffron," Hermione said. "Andrew loves you."

"I don't know how he can love me now," Saffron blinked back tears. "I just hate all this."

"He stood by you after what happened with Daniel," Hermione reminded her. "Baby, don't shut him out. Give him a chance to make this decision for himself."

"I can't open myself up like that," Saffron wrapped her arms around herself. "I'll talk to him... soon. Just not right now. Not after tonight."

"You know," Hermione said. "You know someone very well who was raised by a man who wasn't her biological father. Someone who would tell you that she never, ever felt like she was any different from her two sisters who were biologically his children."

Saffron just looked at her. "You can't tell me anything that's going to change my mind."

"Maybe I can't, but perhaps you could talk to Chiaki and Neville," Hermione suggested.

Saffron shrugged. "That's a completely different situation."

"Just think about it," Hermione told her. "Sweetheart, I know how much Andrew loves you."

Saffron wiped her eyes.

"I can't tell you what to do," Hermione said. "But, I just hope you will think long and hard about this."

"I will," Saffron picked up her tea. "I think I'm going to go to bed."

"I'll check on you in a few minutes," Hermione told her.

"I'll be okay," Saffron replied.

"If you need anything," Hermione offered. "You know where I am."

"Thanks," Saffron kissed her mother on the cheek. "I'll see you in the morning."

"Good night," Hermione said watching her daughter go.

Back in Brighton, Andrew was walking alone down the beach. He had expected many things about tonight, but he certainly had not expected this.

Pregnant. Saffron was pregnant. And she was convinced it was that bastard O'Neal's child and not his.

His first reaction when she'd told him had been one of disbelief.

Truly, he hadn't wanted to believe her. Things had been going so well lately that he thought nothing could come between them.

He took the engagement ring out of his pocket and sighed. He hadn't lied when he told her he didn't want it back. It should be on her finger. But, he also knew that once Saffron made up her mind, it was pretty much set.

He didn't know what else he could do. There was nothing more he wanted than to marry her. And while he knew she was likely right that she was carrying O'Neal's baby, it was something he knew he could adapt to.

As he approached the beach house, he was happy to see that most of the lights in the house were out. He didn't really want to see anyone. It had been a long night and he wasn't really in the mood for all the questions that were sure to greet him.

But, he wasn't that lucky. Neville Longbottom was sitting on the deck.

"Mr. Longbottom," Andrew said, nodding in his direction.

"Andrew," Neville said. "I know it's a stupid question, but how are you doing?"

Andrew sank down onto one of the lounge chairs. "I honestly don't know."

Neville nodded. "Can I tell you something that might help?"

Andrew looked at him. "Sure."

"I don't know if anyone's ever told you, but Chiaki's my adopted daughter." Neville said.

"I didn't know," Andrew said taken aback.

"When we were younger, probably about your age, Cho was with another bloke who she thought was going to stay with her." Neville recalled. "Nick's father."

"So what happened?" Andrew asked.

"I was crazy about her," Neville said wryly. "But I never thought she'd look twice at me. She initially went to have an abortion, but she couldn't go through with it. So I took her out of there... and we just got closer and closer. We married before Chiaki was born... and the first time I held her... I can't even begin to describe it."

"You loved her," Andrew said quietly.

"She was my daughter," Neville nodded. "It didn't matter I had no hand in making her biologically. I knew I was going to do my best to make sure she had a safe, happy life."

"You never felt different toward her?" Andrew asked. "I mean, after Allie and Frankie came along?"

Neville shook his head. "Not once."

"Saffron said she didn't want to make me raise another bloke's child," Andrew said with a sigh.

"I think Cho felt that way too at first," Neville said. "But I convinced her otherwise just by being there when she needed me."

"I want to be there," Andrew said. "I love her. That hasn't changed."

"You might just have to be patient," Neville advised.

"She's stubborn," Andrew said.

Neville nodded. "Very."

They sat in companionable silence for a few moments.

"Mr. Longbottom, when did you tell Chiaki the truth?" Andrew asked.

"When she was older," Neville said. "Right before she went to Hogwarts."

"That couldn't have been easy," Andrew commented.

"She was upset," Neville said. "But I told her it didn't matter. Not one bit. She's as much my daughter as Allison and Frankie."

"I honestly didn't know," Andrew said quietly.

"We don't always tell people," Neville said.

"I'd like to think I'd do the same," Andrew said.

"I'm sure you would," Neville said. "Saffron just needs to know that. Give her a day or two... she needs to figure herself out."

Andrew nodded. "Thanks, Mr. Longbottom."

"Anytime you want to talk, just let me know." Neville offered.

Andrew shook his hand. "It's nice to know that someone knows what this is like."

Neville nodded. "Nice to know you aren't alone."

Andrew said a quick good night and walked into the house, leaving Neville alone on the patio. Neville leaned back in his chair. He hoped that he had helped the younger man. He knew that the next few days, weeks, and months would test both Andrew and Saffron. But, he also knew, that he had meant every word he had said to Andrew. Chiaki was his daughter in every way that mattered.

He thought of the afternoon he'd spent with her, Toshio and the twins. It was things like that he wouldn't give up for all the money in the world.

Things had not always been easy. There were times when he worried that Draco Malfoy might come around and claim his daughter.

Yet after seeing him so long ago and Chiaki meeting him face to face, Neville knew he would never contest. He still clearly recalled how quickly Malfoy had sent the adoption papers back.

He was so lost in thought, he didn't hear Cho come out and sit beside him. "Hey."

"Hi," he responded.

"It's late," Cho said softly.

"I feel bad for Saffron and Andrew," Neville told her. "Reminds me of what we went through."

Cho nodded. "It definitely brings up memories."

"I told him he could talk to us when he needed to," Neville said.

"I think I should try and speak to Saffy," Cho said thoughtfully. "I told Harry I would."

"I told Andrew to give her a day or two to clear out her head," Neville slid his arm around her. "Maybe we all should step back."

Cho rested her head on his shoulder. "I think that would be best."

"I remember talking about this," Neville said. "With Chiaki."

"That was one of the hardest things we've ever had to do," Cho said softly.

"I'm glad we waited to tell her," Neville said. "I think filling her in at as early an age as we originally planned would have been a mistake."

Cho nodded in agreement. They had nearly told her so many times. She could remember one such occasion when Chiaki was doing a project for one of her classes in primary school. Chiaki was nine years old and Allison was four. Frankie was a precocious two-year old. Cho was keeping her husband company while he made dinner.

"Mummy!" Allison twirled into the room. "Look at my dress!"

Cho turned and stifled a laugh. "Sweetheart, that's MY dress."

"Chi helped me," Allison stumbled on the hem.

Frankie toddled over to her sister. "Me wear!"

"It's too big, Frankie." Allison told her sister.

Frankie pouted.

Chiaki laughed as she set her book bag on the table. She was going to work on her homework before dinner. "I think you both could fit in there, Allie."

Allison giggled. "Maybe."

Frankie stuck her tongue out at Allison. "No fair!"

"Come on Frankie," Allison said. "Let's try."

Frankie thought about this for a moment before nodding her head.

Cho smiled. "What are you working on, love?" she asked her oldest daughter.

Chiaki pulled out her notebook and workbook. "Well, we have to answer questions about our families."

"Oh?" Cho asked. "Like what?"

"We have to do a family tree," Chiaki said handing her mother the worksheet.

"That sounds like fun," Cho said. "Want some help?"

"Yes, please," Chiaki said eagerly. "We have to go way back and we're supposed to use pictures too."

Allison and Frankie were giggling as they tried to move around the kitchen in the too big dress.

"I think that would be a great picture of your sisters," Cho summoned the camera.

Chiaki smiled. "I think so too."

Cho took a few pictures and then looked at her daughter. "Here we are... and I think there's a box of old photos in the closet. I'll get them."

Neville looked over his shoulder at the two of them. "You can feel free to use lots of photos of my handsome mug."

"I'll only need one," Chiaki grinned at him.

"Just one, eh?" Neville asked. "How ever will I pose?"

His three daughters laughed as he posed in dramatic fashion.

"Silly!" Frankie exclaimed, toddling over and pulling Allison with her.

Allison giggled. "Frankie!"

Chiaki dug through the box of photos. "Mum?"

"What is it, love?" Cho asked.

"How come no one has grey eyes like me?" Chiaki asked. "No one else in the family does."

"W-what?" Cho asked.

"Daddy has brown eyes and so do you," Chiaki pointed out. "And so does Frankie and Allie."

Cho looked up at Neville. "Um... well... I'm sure someone in the family line did."

Chiaki looked at a wedding photograph of Frank and Alice Longbottom. "Gran's eyes are blue, right?"

"Blue- grey," Neville said, glancing at his wife.

Chiaki studied the photograph closer. "Oh...I guess that's why mine are grey, then?"

"Probably," Neville kissed the top of her head.

Chiaki looked through some more of the photographs. She found an envelope and opened it. "Mum, it's you and Uncle Harry dancing!"

"Where?" Allison asked.

"Here," Chiaki said handing the photograph to Allison.

"I want to dance like that," Allison said.

"Me too!" Frankie clapped her hands.

Chiaki looked through the other photos in the envelope. She recognised Hermione, Ron, and Luna, but there was a blonde haired boy sitting with her mother in one photograph. "Mum?" Chiaki asked. "Who's this?"

"Oh..." Cho grabbed it. "That's no one."

"He's kind of cute," Chiaki teased her mother.

Cho didn't smile. "Chiaki, why don't we move you into the dining room so your father and I can start dinner?"

Chiaki nodded. "Come on, Frankie. You and Allie can help me pick out some more photos for my project."

"Pick," Frankie nodded, struggling out of the dress.

Allison helped her sister with her books while Frankie toddled after them. Cho exhaled and looked at the photograph she'd forgotten she still had.

"That was close," Cho said keeping her voice down.

"I didn't know that was in there," Neville said.

"Me either," Cho said. She looked at her husband. "That was the only photo of he and I together."

"She didn't know she was looking at her real father," Neville said quietly.

"You're her real father," Cho said standing up and walking over to him. "In every way that counts."

He nodded. "I hope he never comes looking for her. But I do wonder if we should tell her the truth."

Cho shook her head. "I don't think she's old enough, Nev."

Neville shrugged. "Yeah but she's curious about things we can't necessarily tell her."

Cho looked at the photograph. "I don't know what I ever saw in him."

"Me either," Neville said.

"I'm going to get rid of this," Cho said, reaching for her wand and pointing it at the photograph.

"What if she asks more questions?" Neville asked.

"You think I should save this then?" Cho asked him.

"I don't know," Neville confessed. "Malfoy isn't someone I thought of in a long time now."

"I don't imagine he'll come looking for her anytime soon," Cho said. "But, when we do tell her, maybe she'll want to know what he was like."

"Not that there's much to tell," he muttered.

Cho opened her mouth to say something when Allison came into the kitchen, carrying a photo. "Mummy, look at Chi as a baby!"

Cho smiled. "She was my beautiful baby."

Allison looked at her father. "Daddy, you're smiling big in that picture!"

"That was one of the happiest days of my life," Neville said. "And the other happiest days were when you and Frankie were born."

Allison smiled up at him. "Chiaki said that was her favourite picture."

"Then she should definitely use it for her project," Neville scooped his four year old up.

Allison giggled. "I love you, Daddy."

"I love you too baby," Neville kissed her cheek.

Cho met her husband's eyes and smiled at him. "How about I order a vegetarian pizza for dinner instead of us cooking?"

"Yummy!" Allison said happily.

"What's yummy?" Chiaki asked coming into the kitchen with Frankie.

"Vegetarian pizza," Cho said.

Chiaki grinned. "That does sound yummy."

Neville made a face. "I'll order a separate pizza for myself."

Cho put an arm around Chiaki. "At least one of my girls is following my example."

"I like vegetarian too," Allison said.

"Yeah, but you also ate hot dogs with Jon and Josh Weasley at the last barbecue," Chiaki teased her sister.

"But I like it today," Allison insisted.

"Me too," Frankie chimed in tugging at her father's leg.

"I'm outnumbered," Neville shook his head.

"We still love you, Daddy," Chiaki said.

"Well I'm glad for that," Neville said with a grin.

Frankie climbed up on Cho's lap. "Love Daddy, Mummy?"

Cho kissed Frankie's head. "Of course, love. We all love Daddy."

"Especially when he helps me with my project," Chiaki grinned.

Neville tickled his daughter's side. "Oh yeah?"

"That's when we really, really love him," Chiaki laughed. "Come on Daddy, please?"

Neville grinned. "I'd be happy to help you, love."

"Cool," Chiaki said. "We'll get it done in no time."

Neville gave his oldest a hug. "I'd do anything for you, sweetheart."

"Thanks," Chiaki said happily.

Cho looked at her husband. "And you did work with her. You worked with her for two hours that night making her family tree. I still have it, you know?"

"Really?" Neville asked. "When we get home, I'd like to see it."

Cho smiled. "That can be arranged."

"I'm glad we waited to tell her," Neville said.

"Me too," Cho said. "And I'm so glad that we have you."

"Thank you," Neville kissed his wife.

"I never would have gotten through any of it without you," Cho said softly.

Neville squeezed her hand. "And I got the best out of the deal. You and three gorgeous daughters."

Cho smiled. "Let's go inside."

"See if we can do anything to help," Neville nodded.

"I love you, Neville Longbottom," Cho said.

"I love you too," Neville grinned at her.

"Even if you are a carnivore," Cho teased.

"And you eat rabbit food," Neville retorted playfully. "You should invite Harry and Hermione over more often."

Cho laughed. "Neville!"

"Just saying," he opened the door for her.

"Thank you," Cho said grinning at him.

It was quiet inside as Neville and Cho approached the kitchen.

"Harry?" Cho asked turning on the light. "What are you doing sitting here in the dark?"

"Just thinking," Harry said.

"Have you heard from Hermione since she and Saffy left?" Cho asked.

"Hermione said she's already asleep," Harry replied.

"That's good," Cho said putting her hand on his shoulder.

"I can't believe she's pregnant," Harry shook his head.

"She's your baby," Neville said.

"I know," Harry said, running his hands through his hair. "I can't do anything to help her."

"Yes, you can," Cho said sitting down. "Harry, you can be there for her. You can listen to her and hug her and just be her father."

"I'll always do that," Harry said. "But right now, I want to fucking kill that bastard O'Neal."

"He's in Azkaban where he belongs," Cho said.

"He deserves much worse," Harry said grimly.

"Promise me that you're not going to do anything," Cho said levelling her gaze at him.

Harry snorted. "Like I'm willingly going to Azkaban."

"Promise me," Cho said putting her hand on his arm.

"I promise," Harry said. "Hermione would kill me."

"So would I," Cho said.

"Andrew's pretty upset," Harry said. "Won't even talk to RJ."

"I spoke with him earlier," Neville told him. "I reckon I know more than anyone else what he's facing."

Harry nodded. "I suppose you're right."

"Saffy's going to need all of our support," Cho said thoughtfully.

"Absolutely," Neville said. "Both of them are."

"She was finally turning things around, you know?" Harry asked. "And now..."

"They'll work things out," Cho said. "They have to."

"Thanks," Harry said giving her a hug.

Upstairs, Andrew was reading and rereading Saffron's note.

Andrew:

I didn't think it was right to stay here after everything that's happened. I'm going home with my mother. Please don't try and contact me. I think the best thing for both of us is time and space. I'm sorry and I love you very much, Saffy.

He tossed the note on the nightstand next to her engagement ring. How could she think he didn't want her?

He had once told her that he would always be there for her no matter what. In the years that they'd been together, they had to face more than their fair share of challenges, but somehow they had always found their way back to each other.

He would give her a few days, but then he was going back and he was going to find her and convince her that they needed to be together.

He could still see the look on her face when she had told him her news.

Andrew wondered what his had looked like... he was sure it had been shock.

Daniel O'Neal's baby. No, Andrew thought to himself. He could not think of it that way. If he and Saffron were going to be together, he had to see that baby as theirs. Daniel O'Neal was just a bad memory.

He rubbed at his face, running his hand back through his hair. He'd been avoiding talking to anyone, letting Harry and RJ tell everyone the news instead.

Tomorrow, he would leave Brighton and go back home to London. Perhaps, he'd go home and visit with his own parents. He didn't want to be in the new flat without Saffron.

Andrew grabbed his towel and decided to take a hot shower to see if it would help him relax. Anything would be preferable to pacing the room and rereading Saffron's letter.

He showered and was leaving the bathroom when RJ cornered him in the corridor. "Mate..."

"Not now," Andrew said cutting him off.

"Come on," RJ said. "You need to have it out."

Andrew sighed. "What else is there to say, RJ?"

"I know it doesn't seem like it, but Saf needs you," RJ said.

"I know," Andrew said quietly. "But, she wants some space. I'm going to give it to her."

"But you aren't giving up, right?" RJ asked.

Andrew vehemently shook his head. "I'm never giving up on Saf. You know that."

"Good," RJ said.

"Daniel Sodding O'Neal," Andrew shook his head. "Even in Azkaban, he's still managing to toy with our lives."

"You can't think about it that way," RJ said. "I know it's pretty impossible at this point, but..."

"I know," Andrew said quietly. "I'm---I'm going back to London tomorrow."

RJ nodded. "That's understandable."

"How about you and Aud?" Andrew asked.

"We're sticking around a few more days," RJ said. "She's got to get back to work and classes start up again soon."

"Any word from Becca?" Andrew asked.

"No, thankfully," RJ said. "Not today, anyway."

"If she starts up again, you should say something to Aud," Andrew told him.

"I tried to," RJ replied. "But she keeps saying Becca's her best friend."

"Some best friend," Andrew said dryly.

RJ shook his head. "It's bloody insane."

"Tell me about it," Andrew said. "But, maybe she's moved on to something else while you've been gone."

"One can only hope," RJ said. "I'll see you in the morning mate. Let me know if you need anything."

"Thanks," Andrew said sincerely. "I appreciate everything you did for us."

“Saf's like my sister," RJ said. "Annoying, but there's nothing I wouldn't do for her."

Andrew smiled. "She's everything to me."

"That's how Audrey is to me," RJ said. "But you wanker, you had to go propose so now I have to wait awhile so it doesn't look like I'm copying."

Andrew laughed for the first time that evening. "It's hard to follow perfection."

"Shut it," RJ punched him in the shoulder and grinned.

"You're the best friend I've ever had," Andrew told him.

"One of the only friends too," RJ joked.

Andrew laughed. "On that note, I'll call it a night."

RJ nodded. "Have breakfast with us before you go."

Andrew did not know if he'd feel much like eating tomorrow, but he owed it to RJ and Audrey after all they'd done. "Okay. Night, mate."

"Night," RJ said, continuing on to his room.

Andrew sat down on the bed and picked up his mobile. He dialled Saffron's number and wasn't surprised when it went to voice mail. "Saf, it's me. I'm worried about you. I just---I just want you to know that nothing's changed. I still love you. I'm going to stay with my parents for a few days if you need me..."

He was quiet a moment or two. "I love you. None of this matters. We'll work something out but just... call me when you're ready to talk."

He ended the call and sighed. It probably would not do much good, but he had to do something to let her know that he was still here and he still cared.

He kept the phone on in case she did try to call and slid under the covers. He should have known something was really wrong when she refused to talk to him over the last few days.

He had been so happy that he had refused to see it.

Andrew turned off the light and looked out the window. There was no way he would be sleeping that night.

Miles away in London, Saffron was doing the same thing.

Her hands were pressed to her stomach as her thoughts travelled from her baby, to Daniel O'Neal, to Andrew, and back to her baby again.

She knew it would not make much sense to most people, but she loved this baby already. She could still remember how her heart had swelled when she had seen the baby on the ultrasound.

"You'll never know about all this," she promised. "You'll be the most loved baby in the world."

"We'll get through all of this together," Saffron whispered. "You and me."

She closed her eyes and allowed herself to daydream for a few minutes.

She thought of bringing home her baby for the first time with Andrew by her side. He was the doting father following them around with his camera. Saffron turned to smile at him and recoiled in horror when Andrew's face morphed into Daniel O'Neal's.

"That's my kid," Daniel said icily.

"No," Saffron shook her head.

"That's my kid," Daniel rounded on her.

"Never!" Saffron said. "You bastard!"

Daniel took the baby from her. "Come to Daddy, my sweet baby!"

"NO!" Saffron screamed. "LEAVE MY BABY ALONE!"

Daniel started to carry the baby away and Saffron looked helplessly around. Andrew appeared behind her.

"Andrew!" Saffron pleaded. "He's taking the baby!"

"It's his baby," Andrew pointed out.

Saffron shook her head and grabbed hold of him by the arm. "No, the baby's mine! Andrew, please! We have to stop him!"

"How can I?" Andrew asked. "The baby's not mine. What am I supposed to do?"

Natalia suddenly appeared at Andrew's side. "Are you ready to go, Andrew?"

"Hey," Andrew grinned at her. "What took you so long?"

Natalia looped her arms around his neck. "I have some good news! We're going to have a baby, Andrew!"

Andrew swung her around. "I knew things would be perfect with you, Talia."

Saffron shook her head. "No, Andrew. Please..."

Andrew sent her a disdainful look. "See ya."

Daniel's laughter echoed in her ears. "Looks like you're all alone Potter."

"No," Saffron said, reaching for her baby.

Daniel lifted the baby's hand and waved it at Saffron. "Say bye-bye to Mummy," Daniel said.

"GIVE MY BABY BACK TO ME!" Saffron screamed.

"Saffron, wake up!" Hermione's voice called out. "Saffy---"

"NO!" Saffron screamed, shooting straight up

Hermione put her hand on her daughter's shoulder. "Sweetheart, it's okay. You were just having a bad dream..."

Saffron sobbed. "It was awful!"

Hermione hugged her daughter. "It was just a dream, love. Just a dream."

Saffron held her mother tightly. "He can't come take my baby."

"No one's going to take your baby," Hermione promised her.

"He can't come back," Saffron bawled.

"He's not coming back," Hermione said soothingly. "He's in Azkaban."

Saffron nodded.

Hermione hugged her again. "Oh, my sweet girl."

"Why do bad things keep happening to me?" Saffron asked.

"Oh, baby," Hermione said, patting her back.

"I just want to be happy," Saffron buried her face in Hermione's shoulder.

"You will be," Hermione said, wishing she could take her daughter's pain away.

Saffron sighed as she wiped at her eyes.

"I'll stay with you until you fall back asleep," Hermione said.

"Can you just stay all night?" Saffron asked. "I don't want to be alone."

Hermione cupped her daughter's face in her hands. "Of course, I can, baby."

"Thank you," Saffron whispered. Hermione slid under the covers.

"Do you think everything will be okay again?" Saffron asked.

"I do," Hermione said kissing the top of her head.

Saffron nodded. "Should... should I talk to Andrew?"

"What's in your heart?" Hermione asked her.

"I miss him." Saffron said.

"I'm sure he's missing you too," Hermione said thoughtfully.

"I just think I need a few days," Saffron said, rubbing at her stomach again. "Maybe after that Quidditch match..."

"You're still going to play then?" Hermione asked her.

"I already promised I would," Saffron replied. "If they selected me."

"I'd still feel better if you asked Lizzy first," Hermione said. "Just to make sure it's safe."

"Okay," Saffron agreed.

"Maddie and Ethan rang earlier to see how you were doing," Hermione said.

"They did?" Saffron asked. "What... what did they say?"

"They love you and might stop by tomorrow if you're up for it," Hermione said.

"Sure," Saffron shrugged.

"And your dad should be home around noon tomorrow," Hermione told her.

"Good," Saffron said. "I'm sorry to make you come home early."

"No need to apologise," Hermione said. "There's no where else I'd rather be.'

Saffron managed a small smile.

"Try and sleep, love," Hermione whispered.

"I don't want to dream again," Saffron said.

"I could brew a dreamless sleep potion," Hermione offered.

"It won't hurt my baby?" Saffron asked.

Hermione shook her head. "No."

"Okay," Saffron said as Puddles crawled up next to her.

"I'll be right back," Hermione said.

Saffron scratched her dog's head as her mother headed downstairs. "Should I talk to Andrew, Pud?"

Puddles barked in response.

"I know he'll say he doesn't care the baby isn't his now... but what if he resents me for it later?" Saffron asked.

The dream she'd had earlier seemed so real.

Saffron sighed again. She would wait until after the match to approach him. Quidditch was just what she needed at the moment to take her mind off everything. She'd worked too hard for this career for things to be ruined now.

A few moments later, her mother returned with a glass. "This should do the trick."

"Thanks," Saffron said gratefully.

Hermione handed it to her.

Saffron drank it quickly. "That'll be better."

Hermione took the glass and set it on the bedside table.

Saffron yawned. "Good night..."

"Good night," Hermione said sliding back under the covers. She turned off the lamp and put an arm around her daughter.

Saffron was asleep in minutes, but Hermione remained awake for awhile longer, just looking at her youngest daughter.

Of her three children, Saffron had been tested the most. Her daughter was strong-willed and stubborn, but fiercely loyal and she wore her heart on her sleeve.

And most of all, Hermione couldn't believe her baby was pregnant.

Hermione wished she and Harry had more time to discuss this before she and Saffron had left Brighton. Hermione just hoped her husband was not entertaining thoughts of heading to Azkaban.

"He knows better," Hermione muttered to herself.

She hoped Cho, Ron and Neville would keep her husband in check.

271. Chapter 271

Authors’ note: We’ve taken quite a bit of flack from some of you over the storyline. For those of you who are still reading, you’ll see why we told you to ‘trust us’ in that authors’ note.

The beach house was abuzz with activity as everyone was preparing to go home. In light of what had happened with Saffron, no one really felt much like being there. Julie wanted to go home to support her sister so she and the girls were going to leave in a couple of hours. Nick had already left earlier to deal with something at the studio.

"This has been the worst vacation ever," Katie grumbled. "I can't wait to get home."

"We're still grounded," Ashley pointed out. "You heard Mum this morning."

"Well now we don't have to sit and watch everyone else go have fun," Katie said, throwing some shirts into her suitcase.

Ashley rolled her eyes. They would not be in this mess if Katie had kept her mouth shut. But, she was not going to point that out to her sister. She knew it would only set off another fight.

"I'm going to make sure I got everything out of the attic," she said, leaving the room. Ashley knew no one would check for her up there and instead, slipped out the front door. She wanted to sit and watch the waves for a few minutes before they had to leave.

She grabbed her sketch book and hurried outside.

Ashley ducked down in front of a sand dune so she'd be invisible to anyone looking from the house. She wanted to draw, but found herself just staring out at the ocean.

So much had happened this summer, Ashley thought. She couldn't help thinking that nothing was ever going to be the same again.

She wished now she hadn't given in and gotten involved with Zander. She had not seen or heard from him since that horrible day on the beach, nor was she sure she wanted to. At least not until they were on the train back to school.

Ashley hugged her sketch pad to her and was about to get up and go back to the house when she felt someone's hand on her shoulder. She turned expecting to see her mother, but found Zander staring down at her instead. "Zander."

"Ash," he said nervously. "I... didn't think I'd get to see you again before--"

"I'm leaving," Ashley said briskly. "Today. We're going home."

"Have you got just a minute?" Zander asked.

Ashley stood up. "I have to get back. I snuck out just to get a last look at the waves."

"But I need to explain things," Zander said.

"There's nothing else to say," Ashley brushed past him.

"There's a lot to say!" Zander replied, grabbing her hand.

Ashley shook her head. "Zander."

"You didn't see what you thought," Zander tried.

"I saw enough," Ashley said looking away from him. "But that's not the only thing, Zander. My parents were right. We're too young to get this serious this fast. And we were friends. Now, I don't know what we are."

"We could still be together," Zander insisted.

Ashley shook her head. "No."

"Why not?" Zander asked, a bit angry. "Just because of one mistake?"

"That's not the only thing!" Ashley retorted.

"What else then?" Zander asked.

"We're 13," Ashley pointed out.

"So?" he asked.

Ashley sighed. "I just think that we're better as friends, Zander. You wouldn't have kissed Lucy--"

"Ash, that didn't happen because we were going out," Zander said, frustrated.

"I don't know how I can make you understand," Ashley said quietly.

"I don't know either," Zander shook his head. "Things were going just fine."

"It was just too soon," Ashley said.

Zander shook his head again.

"Maybe someday," Ashley said, staving off her tears.

"I guess I should go," Zander said, obviously disappointed.

"Zander," Ashley said meeting his gaze.

"What?" he asked.

"I don't want to lose our friendship," Ashley said.

He shrugged. "Like you said, it can't be the same."

"So because of what happened, you don't even want to be my friend anymore?" Ashley asked him point-blank.

"I don't know," he said, avoiding her eyes.

Ashley shook her head. "This is exactly what I was afraid of."

"Maybe its best we don't talk to each other before going back to school," Zander kicked at some sand.

"Fine," Ashley said angrily.

Zander sighed as she turned away. "Ash--" he began.

Ashley didn't turn around. "Tell Brit goodbye for me."

She slipped back into the house without anyone seeing her and rushed upstairs to her bedroom.

She pulled out the strip of photos that she and Zander had taken on their date. It seemed like such a long time ago.

Ashley bit her lower lip and tried not to cry. They had been so happy, and she was so sure she'd made the right choice in telling him her feelings too.

"Do you need any help bringing anything down?" Julie asked from the doorway. "Ashley?"

Ashley stuffed the photos in her sketchbook. "No."

Julie came up behind her. "I don't mind helping."

"I've got everything," Ashley pushed her sketchbook into her bag. "Thanks."

"I was thinking we'd go by and see Saffron after we get settled," Julie said. "Mum said she was still feeling down, but would probably love the company."

"Sure," Ashley nodded.

"Mummy, I can't find my sandals," Katie came into the room. "I think Caroline packed them by mistake!"

"We'll get them back later," Julie reassured her.

"I could ring her," Katie said slyly. "You know..."

Julie raised an eyebrow. "I don't think so, Katherine Rose."

"How many more weeks are we going to be punished?" Katie whined.

"The whole summer, Katie," Ashley said.

"I didn't ask you!" Katie snapped at her.

Ashley rolled her eyes. "Whatever."

"Girls, please," Julie said putting her hand to her temple. "I can't take it today."

"She started it," Katie said, glaring at Ashley.

"I don't care," Julie said levelling her gaze at Katie. "I'm finishing it. We're leaving in five minutes. Make sure that you both have everything packed."

"I'm finished," Ashley pulled her suitcase off the bed.

"Me too," Katie said grumpily. "Except for my favourite sandals..."

"You'll get them back," Julie said. "When we get home I'll ring Allison and ask her about them."

"Okay," Katie said. "Mummy, can you help me with my suitcase? It's really heavy!"

"Sure," Julie said, following Katie out of the room.

Ashley rolled her suitcase out into the hall. She was ready to leave; to put some distance between her and Zander.

She wanted badly to talk to her aunt or Brittany about what had happened but knew she'd really be risking another punishment.

"I'll get that for you," Ron said grinning at her. He was staying behind to lock up the house.

"Thanks, Uncle Ron," Ashley said.

"Of course," Ron said picking up the suitcase.

Ashley decided to wait in the sitting room for her mother and sister.

Ron set her suitcase down by the door. "How you holding up?" Ron asked her.

Ashley shrugged. "I'm okay. I'm more worried about Aunt Saffy."

"Me too," Ron said. "But, you know, she's a lot stronger than people give her credit for."

"I know," Ashley nodded.

"Did you do a lot of work?" Ron asked.

"Not really," Ashley said. "I'm not too inspired right now."

Ron nodded. "It will get better, you know."

"I hope so," Ashley sat on the edge of the sofa.

Julie and Katie came downstairs. "I think we have everything," Julie told Ron.

"I just want to go HOME," Katie rolled her eyes.

"You and me both, kiddo," Ron told her with a grin.

"Yeah but you aren't grounded," Katie complained.

Ron laughed. "Well, I'll have you know I spent most of my childhood grounded. You should thank your lucky stars Molly Weasley wasn't in charge of your punishment."

Katie didn't look relieved.

"Thanks for everything, Uncle Ron," Julie said giving him a hug.

"Anytime Jules," Ron hugged her. "It's always fun when we're all together."

"Bye, Uncle Ron," Ashley said quietly.

"We'll see you soon, Ash." Ron said, ruffling her hair.

Ashley managed a small smile.

"And Katie Bear," Ron went to ruffle her hair too but she ducked away.

"Don't mess up my hair," Katie squealed.

"Katie," Julie frowned at her.

Katie hugged Ron. "Sorry, Uncle Ron."

"It's okay," Ron said. "We'll see you lot soon."

"At Saffy's charity match," Julie said.

"That's going to be really something," Ron said.

Julie nodded and reached for her wand. She shrunk their three suitcases down and put them in her pocket. "Who wants to go first?" she asked, reaching for the bowl of Floo powder.

"I will," Ashley said, reaching for some powder but Katie knocked her hand away.

"Katie!" Ashley exclaimed.

"I want to go first!" Katie glared at her.

"Oh for Merlin's sake!" Ashley sighed. "It's not as if it makes any difference!"

"Go," Julie said, motioning for Katie. "We'll have another talk when we get home."

"I can hardly wait," Katie muttered.

Ashley rolled her eyes as her sister tossed the powder in and disappeared.

"She reminds me so much of Ginny," Ron commented. "It's kind of...scary."

Julie sighed. "She definitely has more of my in laws in her than I'd like."

"We'd better go before she ends up at Caroline's," Ashley said to her mother.

"Good point," Julie said as Ashley disappeared. She followed quickly and was relieved to see both her daughters in the sitting room.

"Welcome home!" Greta told them.

"Greta!" Ashley hugged their nanny.

"I swear you two have grown a lot since I last saw you!" Greta exclaimed.

"A lot's happened this summer," Ashley told her.

"And we're grounded," Katie interjected sourly.

"Nicholas already told me," Greta said, giving Katie a hug.

Julie shook her head wryly. "It's been quite a few days. I'm sure you heard about Saffy."

Greta nodded. "I stopped by this morning to see her. I sat with her for a long time."

"How was she?" Julie asked. "We were going to see her this afternoon."

"As well as can be expected," Greta replied.

Julie nodded. "Once we're settled back in we'll go over for a bit."

"Can I go and see Daddy?" Katie asked.

"He's recording, love," Greta told her. "I'm sure he'll be upstairs soon."

Katie rolled her eyes and sighed. "Can you call Caroline so I can get my sandals back?" she asked her mother.

"Katherine," Julie said. "I don't like that tone."

"Please?" Katie pasted a smile onto her face.

"I'll ring Allison now, but I want you go to go upstairs and unpack," Julie told her.

"Fine," Katie said impatiently.

"I'll be upstairs," Julie told them.

Ashley took her own suitcase and lugged it upstairs. Much as she loved Brighton she was more than happy to be back in her own room.

She set it on the bed and looked down at Sophie, who had followed her upstairs. "Good to be home, isn't it?" she asked her dog.

Sophie barked and jumped up next to her, licking her face.

Ashley laughed genuinely for the first time in days. "Sophie..."

"Why are you hogging Sophie?" Katie snapped from the door.

"She followed me upstairs," Ashley replied.

"Whatever," Katie huffed. "It's your fault summer was ruined, you know."

Ashley rolled her eyes as she opened her suitcase. "And your blackmail had nothing to do with it?"

"I wouldn't have had to blackmail you if--" Katie began hotly.

"Get. Out. Of. My. Room," Ashley told her.

Katie smirked at her and stomped down the corridor.

Ashley loved her sister, she really did. But, at times like this, she didn't like her very much.

Meanwhile, Will, Frankie and their kids had arrived back home. "It smells in here," Frankie wrinkled her nose. "Can you open some windows, Will?"

Will nodded. "Sure."

Hannah was already playing with Belle on the floor. Izzie was staring at the dog with wide eyes.

"Izzie, watch this," Hannah said to her little sister as she threw a rubber ball. Izzie laughed when the dog scampered after it.

Hannah laughed too. "Come here Belle!" she patted her lap.

Izzie clapped her hands together.

Belle carried the ball over to Hannah and dropped it into her lap.

"Good girl," Hannah said, giving the ball to Izzie. "Throw it, Izzie!"

Izzie looked at the ball for a moment before tossing it.

Belle barked and scampered after it, making both Hannah and Izzie break into giggles.

Frankie laughed as she watched her two girls. She was about to join them when she heard the doorbell.

She opened the door to see a young woman standing outside. "Can I help you?" she asked.

The young woman looked at the slip of paper in her hand. "Francesca Barron?"

"Yes," Frankie said. "Can I help you?"

"My name is Mallory Garrett," the young woman said. "I'm sorry to just drop by like this..."

"Do I know you from somewhere?" Frankie asked.

Mallory opened her mouth to respond when a ball suddenly shot past the two of them and into the yard. Hannah ran toward them and Mallory's breath caught in her throat. "Hannah---"

Frankie moved so her body blocked her daughter's. "Excuse me? How do you know my daughter?"

"I---I'm---Abigail Wright was my older sister," the woman stammered.

Frankie felt herself grow pale.

"Mummy?" Hannah asked looking up at Frankie.

"Hannah, please go back inside and get your father, please." Frankie said in a controlled voice.

Hannah nodded and walked away. Tears welled down Mallory's face. "She looks just like Abbie."

"Yes she does," Frankie said. "They um... they told us there were no living relatives..."

"I moved to the States after my sister married David," Mallory explained. "I lost touch with her----he cut her off from me, you see."

"He was a horrible man," Frankie said.

"Yes he was," Mallory agreed. "I've been looking for Hannah and my sister for years now. I just found out a couple of months ago that she---that she died."

"I'm sorry," Frankie said sincerely as Will opened the door behind her.

"Hello," Will said to the woman.

"This is... um... this is Abbie Wright's sister," Frankie told her husband.

Will's jaw dropped. "I--I wasn't aware that she had a sister."

"No one ever told us," Frankie said again.

"I know this is sudden, but I've been looking for my sister for quite some time," Mallory said. "I'd really like to meet my niece."

"Um..." Frankie said. "Will?"

"Look, our daughter has been through quite a lot in the last few years," Will said. "And my wife and I don't know you. We have no proof that you are who you say you are..."

"I know," Mallory said, biting her lower lip. "I realise that my coming here without any sort of warning isn't the best of plans, but--"

In the sitting room, Hannah was trying to keep an eye on her brother and sister like her father had asked her to do. But, she wanted to know what was going on at the front door.

She peeked around the corner, so she could still see her brother and sister but also watch her mother and father.

"I just want to see her," Mallory pleaded with Will and Frankie. "She's all I have left of my family."

"I'm sorry," Will told her. "Without proof, I can't allow it."

"But she's my niece," Mallory said. "She's my blood!"

"And she's our daughter," Frankie said fiercely. "David Wright signed away all of his rights."

"Mummy?" Hannah asked uncertainly.

"Hannah?" Mallory asked, peering around Will and Frankie.

"What's going on?" Hannah asked shyly.

"Hannah, go back to the sitting room," Will told her.

"Come on," Frankie said taking her hand. "You and I were going to make a snack for your brother and sister."

Will looked at Mallory. "We're not trying to be rude, and my wife and I feel badly for you. But David Wright did a lot of damage to Hannah and there's no way we want anything like that to happen to her again. If you can come back with proof..."

Mallory wiped at her eyes. "I will come back with proof, Mr. Barron. I'm not leaving London until I meet her."

Will nodded. "I'm sure we'll talk soon."

Mallory reluctantly turned around and walked down the steps. Will closed the door and sighed.

Frankie came back into the corridor. "I didn't know what to say to her!"

Will put his arms around her. "I know."

Frankie buried her face in his chest. "What do you think she'll try to do?"

"I don't know," Will said honestly. "But, we'll check with the social worker to see what's going on. They told us Hannah had no living relatives other than David Wright. This doesn't make any sense."

"I'll call Mrs. Roman tomorrow," Frankie said.

"Mummy, Izzie and Nathan are hungry!" Hannah called from the kitchen.

"We'll be right there, baby," Frankie replied. "Will... what should we tell her? I think this would upset her."

"We'll keep this quiet for now," Will said thoughtfully. "I think that would be best."

Frankie nodded. "Sounds good to me."

Will squeezed her hand. "Come on."

They walked into the kitchen to find Hannah pouring her brother and sister a cup of juice.

"Here you go, Nathan," Hannah set it carefully in front of him. Nathan grinned at her before grasping the cup in his little hands.

Hannah grinned back at him before she set Izzie's cup before her. "Princess Izzie."

"Ooooh," Izzie said, reaching for her juice.

"They were really thirsty," Hannah said turning to look at her mother.

"Thanks for getting them that," Frankie hugged her.

Hannah hugged her back. "Mummy?"

"Yes, sweetheart?" Frankie asked.

"Who was that lady?" Hannah asked.

"No one you need to worry about, love." Will told her.

"She knew my name," Hannah said looking up at her mother.

"She just asked us about our beautiful daughter," Frankie kissed the top of her head.

"Oh," Hannah blushed.

"How about we make some popcorn?" Will asked. "And put in a movie while these two kip?"

Hannah nodded excitedly.

"I want to watch Beauty and the Beast," Hannah said. "It's been soooooo long since I saw that!"

Will tickled her side. "Two days is a long time is it?"

"It's been more than that!" Hannah giggled.

"Nate, back your father up on this one," Will said to his son who was grinning at him.

"Ha," Nathan mumbled before picking up his juice cup again.

Frankie laughed. "You definitely have a defender on your side. Hannah has them both won over."

"Us kids have to stick together," Hannah told her father.

"Ha!" Izzie screamed.

Frankie laughed momentarily forgetting about Mallory.

"Yeah, yeah." Will lifted up his son. "Come on you. Time for a kip."

"Ha," Nathan waved at his big sister.

"I'll come up and tuck you in," Hannah promised as Frankie picked Izzie up.

"Come on then," Frankie told her oldest.

Hannah followed her parents up the stairs, the strange woman still on her mind.

There was something familiar about the woman that Hannah could not quite figure out. She reminded her of someone.

"Hannah?" Frankie called. "Are you coming, love?"

Hannah hurried after them. "Yes."

"Ha," Nathan said. "Hi."

Hannah laughed. "Han-nah, Nathan."

"Ha," Nathan repeated.

"You'll get there," Hannah said to him as Will set Nathan down in his crib. "Sleepy time, Nate."

"Bye," Nathan blinked as he lay down.

Hannah waved at him. "Sweet dreams, Nathan."

"Ha!" Izzie called out.

Hannah hurried over to her sister's crib. She stuck her arm through the bars and squeezed Izzie's hand. "I'm here, Izzie."

"Hi," Izzie said.

"Hi," Hannah said softly.

"Sleepy time," Frankie said to her baby daughter.

Hannah went to stand by her father and Will put his arm around her. "Daddy, I love them so much."

"They love you too," Will picked her up easily.

Hannah put her arms around his neck. "I like being a big sister."

Will grinned at her. "I bet you do, baby."

Hannah smiled up at him. "Em says it's because we get to boss them around, but I don't think that's it."

Will laughed. "Both Aunt Mary and Uncle Jack were older than me so they always told me what to do."

Frankie shook her head. "Chiaki and Allison tried... but it's not like I ever listened."

Hannah giggled and took Frankie's hand as they left the nursery. "They told me that, Mummy."

"I bet they did." Frankie said as Will grabbed the monitor and followed them downstairs.

"Did your first mummy mention having any brothers and sisters?" Will asked his daughter.

"I don't remember," Hannah said after thinking for a moment.

Will shared a look with Frankie.

"Well you were very young," Frankie said. "I'm sure there's a lot you won't remember..."

Hannah nodded. "I sometimes can't remember things about my first mummy. It makes me sad."

Frankie put an arm around her. "I'm sorry, baby."

Hannah hugged her. "I still miss her."

"I know you do," Frankie said. "I'm sure you'll always miss her. It's okay."

Will mussed her hair. "How about you go and get that movie from your room while your mum and I pop the popcorn?"

"Okay," Hannah agreed.

Hannah hurried to her room to get the movie.

Frankie looked at Will. "She doesn't remember her mother ever mentioning having a brother or sister."

"I know," Will said. "But she was also so young. As much as I'd like to say this woman was lying, I don't know what her ulterior motives are."

"I'm not letting her anywhere near Hannah until we know what the story is," Frankie vowed.

"Agreed," Will nodded.

Frankie hugged him. "Why now?"

"I don't know," he said.

"I've got it!" Hannah exclaimed, holding up the case. "I forgot that I'd packed it in my suitcase!"

"Silly girl," Frankie said. "Why don't you go get comfortable and I'll make the popcorn."

Hannah nodded. "Okay. Come on, Daddy."

Will smiled reassuringly at his wife before following their daughter out.

Hannah cuddled up on the sofa with Belle while Will loaded the movie. "Is Mummy okay?"

"She's fine, baby." Will said. "Why do you ask?"

"She seems sad," Hannah commented.

"I think she doesn't want to go back to work," Will joked.

Hannah laughed. "Daddy!"

"What are you laughing about?" Frankie asked, levitating a large bowl of popcorn and a tray of drinks into the room.

"You and how you're dreading going back to work," Will said with a grin.

"I am not!" Frankie retorted. "I have to organise the after party for the charity Quidditch match."

"And we know how much you love planning parties," Will said in a dramatic voice.

"I am very good at it," Frankie said smugly.

"Yes, you are," Will said. "And we love you for it."

"I know." Frankie sat down.

Hannah giggled. "Can I go into work with you, Mummy?"

"I'm sure that could be arranged," Frankie nodded.

Will started the movie and though he wanted to concentrate on the film, he couldn't help thinking back to Mallory. If she was who she said she was, what would that mean for their family?

*** *** ***

It was several weeks after they had returned from Brighton. The news about Saffron's pregnancy had made headlines everywhere but her broken engagement to Andrew had thankfully stayed under wraps. She hadn't seen him or spoken to him yet; and he hadn't contacted her either. She wasn't sure if it was because he was giving her the space she wanted or if he didn't want to deal with a baby that wasn't his.

Today's Quidditch match was going to be her first public appearance. She knew that everything she did would be under scrutiny.

Saffron had arrived early, hoping to avoid the crowds of people camped out. She also was hoping to avoid Natalia, who she knew was the only other female asked to play in the game.

But as luck would have it, Natalia was already in the locker room getting ready for the match.

Saffron froze, her hand on the door. She was almost ready to sneak back out before the other girl saw her but the brunette looked up.

"Potter," Natalia said in greeting.

"Hi," Saffron said quietly.

"I guess congratulations are in order," Natalia said sitting down on the bench.

Saffron opened a locker. "Um... I suppose. Thanks..."

Natalia started to clean her broom and Saffron was happy for the silence. But, apparently Natalia wanted to make an effort.

"Andrew must be over the moon about the baby," Natalia said. "He's always wanted a family."

Saffron bit her lower lip. "Well it's not his... as everyone now knows."

"What?" Natalia asked taken aback.

"It's all over the news," Saffron said quietly.

"The baby is Daniel O'Neal's?" Natalia asked in shock.

Saffron closed her eyes. "Yes..."

"I--I'm sorry," Natalia said sincerely. "But, I'm sure having Andrew around for support has been great."

Saffron wished Natalia would stop talking. "I broke up with him. He wouldn't want to raise a baby that's not his."

"I beg your pardon?" Natalia asked. "You broke up with him?"

Saffron pulled her jersey over her head and didn't answer.

Natalia stared at her. "Andrew----he wouldn't just walk away from you. He loves you very much. I should know..."

"This is too awkward," Saffron muttered, grabbing her broom.

"Potter, wait," Natalia called after her.

Saffron stopped.

"Andrew told you he didn't want to raise the baby with you?" Natalia asked.

Saffron turned and glared at her. "This isn't any of your business."

"I beg to differ," Natalia stood up.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Saffron began but Natalia cut her off.

"I loved him," Natalia said. "I was in love with Andrew. And I stepped back when you came home because I knew how much you meant to him at one point and he cared. That's the type of person he is."

"I know what type of person he is!" Saffron retorted.

"Then how the hell could you let him go?" Natalia asked angrily. "I feel horrible for what's happened to you, but Andrew was the best thing in your life! I lost him because of you!!"

"I can't ask him to raise someone else's baby," Saffron said quietly. "And not just someone else---Daniel O'Neal's."

"I know Andrew very well, as do you." Natalia told her. "And you know damn well that he would be there for you. You're a fool to let him go."

Saffron had no response to that and Natalia shot a glare at her before stalking out of the locker room. Saffron put her head in her hands and sobbed.

Why did her life continue to spiral out of control? Why was it when one good thing happened something bad had to come and cancel it out?

There was a knock on the locker room door and Saffron wiped at her eyes. She reluctantly stood up and opened the door, hoping it wasn't some stupid reporter trying to get the big scoop.

"Aunt Cho," Saffron said when she opened the door. "W-what are you doing back here?"

"Just coming to wish you good luck," Cho took in Saffron's tearstained face. "What's wrong, love?"

"Just me feeling sorry for myself," Saffron said quietly.

"Why?" Cho put an arm around her.

Saffron told her about the confrontation with Natalia.

Cho sighed. "She shouldn't have said those things to you. You have to do what you feel is right."

"I don't know what's right," Saffron said shaking her head. "That's the problem."

Cho smoothed Saffron's hair back. "What do you want?"

"I want this baby," Saffron replied.

"I'm glad," Cho said. "What else do you want?"

"Andrew," Saffron said softly.

"Why don't you give him a chance to tell you how he feels about this?" Cho continued.

Saffron shrugged. "I don't know."

Cho was quiet a moment. "I was in this same situation, you know."

"With Chiaki and Neville," Saffron said.

Cho nodded. "Right."

"Were you worried?" Saffron asked her. "I mean, did you worry that Neville would think differently of Chiaki?"

"Of course," Cho answered. "But Neville was there for me when no one else could be. And he told me time and again that it wouldn't matter. When Chiaki was born and he was holding her... I knew it would never be an issue.

Saffron tried to remember a time when she saw Neville looking differently at Chiaki than he did with Allison or Frankie.

"He's always loved her like she was his flesh and blood," Cho told her. "I can't imagine what my life would have been like if I hadn't listened to him."

"You weren't worried he'd see Draco Malfoy's face every time he looked at her?" Saffron asked.

"I was at first," Cho nodded. "I had many concerns."

"That's what I'm most afraid of," Saffron admitted.

"Andrew loves you," Cho told her. "And if he loves you, he will love that baby."

Fresh tears welled up in Saffron's eyes. "I want to be with him."

"Then you should go talk to him," Cho told her.

"The match will be starting soon," Saffron wiped at her eyes.

"Maybe you'll play better if you go speak to him," Cho encouraged.

Saffron nodded, feeling hopeful for the first time in days. "Thanks, Aunt Cho."

Cho gave her a hug. "You'll play well whether or not you talk to him. Good luck today, sweetheart."

Saffron smiled. "Thanks. I'll see you afterwards?"

"I wouldn't miss the after party for the world," Cho told her.

"I heard that Frankie's gone all out," Saffron said.

"Because we wouldn't expect anything less from one of her parties," Cho smiled at her.

Saffron did not even know if Andrew was there today, but she figured he might be since RJ was playing.

Cho left and she finished getting ready and quickly polished up her broom.

The match would be starting in less than 10 minutes.

Saffron left the locker room and approached the meeting area where the rest of the charity team was gathered. To her relief, RJ was standing to the side.

"Hiya," RJ said to her.

"Hey," Saffron smiled at him.

"You sure you're up for the game today?" RJ asked.

Saffron nodded. "I feel better, thanks to Aunt Cho. And strangely enough, Natalia."

RJ raised an eyebrow. "Natalia?"

"She sort of verbally kicked my arse when we were in the locker room." Saffron said.

RJ looked in the direction of their team-mate who seemed to be pointedly ignoring them.

"Did she talk some sense into you then?" RJ asked.

"Aunt Cho did more than her," Saffron replied. "I've been too scared to talk to Andrew because I wasn't sure what he would say to me."

RJ shook his head. "Saf, he loves you."

"I miss him," Saffron confessed.

"He misses you too," RJ told her.

"Is he playing?" Saffron asked tentatively.

RJ shook his head. "But, he is here. He came with his parents to watch the match."

"I'm surprised they didn't ask him to play," Saffron commented.

"I don't think his head wouldn't have been in the match anyway," RJ said looking pointedly at her.

Saffron looked away from him. "Then I'm surprised they still want ME in the match."

RJ put his hand on her shoulder. "Are you kidding? You're the star, remember?"

"I guess," Saffron sighed. "I really hoped to talk to Andrew before the match, but I suppose it'll have to wait."

"Not necessarily," RJ winked at her.

"What?" Saffron asked.

RJ winked at her again. "You'll owe me. Just remember that..."

Before Saffron could respond, RJ had stepped forward and then passed out. The team gathered around him.

"Someone get the healer!" the coach called out. "Weasley! Come on..."

Saffron stared in horror as the coach tried to revive RJ.

What on earth was he doing? Saffron thought.

Buying you some time, Saf. Go.

Saffron blinked when she heard RJ's voice on her head.

"What the hell?" she asked herself softly.

You know I did learn a little something at Hogwarts. Go...

Saffron hurried away and into the stands where the VIP guests were sitting. She figured he would be up there.

She smiled when she spotted Andrew sitting with his parents.

Swallowing back her nerves, she approached them.

Tricia Kirke spotted her first. "Saffron."

"Hi," she said, her throat thick. "Um... Andrew? Could... could I have a word?"

Andrew stood up. "I thought the match was about to start..."

"It's going to be a few more minutes," Saffron said. "Please?"

"Of course," Andrew replied.

Saffron led him away and into an empty room down the corridor.

"So, how are you?" Andrew asked. "I've been meaning to ring you, but I wanted to give you your space."

"I know," Saffron twisted her hands together. "I um... I'm sorry. I shouldn't have told you like I did."

"You could have told me sooner," Andrew said. "But, I can't imagine what that must have been like..."

"What do you think of this?" Saffron asked him in a rush. "That I'm carrying Daniel O'Neal's child?"

"It's not Daniel O'Neal's child," Andrew told her. "It's yours."

"But it's part his," Saffron said.

"That's just biology," Andrew said reaching for her hand. "I love you, Saffy. I wish I could change what happened, but I can't. This isn't the way we planned, but this is how our family's going to start."

"Our family?" she asked a small voice. "Really?"

"Our family," Andrew said putting his arms around her.

Saffron's eyes filled with tears as he held her tightly. "I'm so stupid, Andrew."

"You're not stupid," Andrew said softly.

"I pushed you away." Saffron said. "I didn't let you even get a word in before I called things off."

"I have to admit I was shocked when you told me and disappointed," Andrew said, wanting to be completely honest with her.

"I know," Saffron said.

"But, I love you and I'll love this baby," Andrew said putting a hand to her stomach.

"You will?" Saffron asked. "You promise?"

"I promise," Andrew said leaning in to kiss her.

Saffron closed her eyes and slid her arms around him as he pressed his lips to hers.

"I love you," Andrew said when they pulled apart.

"I love you too," she managed.

"This isn't right," Andrew said, reaching into his pocket.

"What do you mean?" Saffron asked.

He pulled out her ring and reached for her hand.

"You keep it with you?" she asked.

Andrew grinned sheepishly. "Yeah..."

"You are so perfect," she said, tearing up again as he slid the ring on her finger.

"It's back where it belongs," Andrew said smiling at her.

She nodded. "I don't deserve this... not after what I did."

"You deserve to be happy," Andrew said holding her tightly. "You didn't do anything wrong."

Saffron didn't answer, she just buried her face in his chest.

"I love you and OUR baby," Andrew said softly.

Saffron nodded. "Our baby..."

"And he or she is going to be the biggest Wimbourne fan in the entire world," Andrew teased.

"Still not giving you that," Saffron had to laugh.

"Come on, Saf," Andrew laughed. "You know that the baby's going to love Wimbourne."

"I know I love the best player Wimbourne has," Saffron said.

"That's a start," Andrew said grinning at her.

Saffron kissed him. "I have to get back. We'll talk more later? We still have some things to work out."

"Absolutely," Andrew said. "Be careful out there, okay?"

"I will," Saffron nodded.

Andrew put his hand to her stomach again. "You take care of your Mummy, Little One."

Saffron smiled. "Kiss me for luck?"

Andrew grinned and pulled her close. He pressed his lips to hers in a kiss that left her breathless.

"I'll see you at the after party," Saffron managed.

Andrew was still grinning when he joined his family back in the stands.

"Everything okay?" his father asked.

"Saf and I are okay," he said, his grin growing even wider.

"Really?" Tricia asked. "Oh, Andrew!"

"It's going to be okay," Andrew nodded.

Tricia hugged him. "I knew it would be. You two belong together!"

Saffron rushed back down to the meeting area where RJ was sitting up and the coach pushing orange juice at him. "You've got to keep your strength up," the coach was saying. "Don't let that blood sugar drop."

"Yes, sir," RJ said dutifully. "I don't know what I was thinking not eating anything this morning..."

"Are we ready to play then?" the coach asked.

"Absolutely," RJ said enthusiastically.

Saffron made her way over to him. "Thank you."

"I should be thanking you," RJ said. "They were fussing over me...they kept giving me food..."

Saffron had to smile. "So it's a good day for both of us."

RJ saw the engagement ring on her finger. "It's about damn time."

"It's thanks to you," she said.

"You can repay me by naming the rug rat, Ronald the Third," RJ told her.

"Yeah right," Saffron hugged him, hard.

"But knowing you, it will probably be Thyme or Basil or Paprika," RJ teased.

Saffron hit him on the shoulder and laughed.

"That's what I like to hear," RJ said as they both stood up to join their other team-mates.

"Talia, you ready to kick some arse?" RJ asked.

"Sure," Natalia replied.

"Natalia?" Saffron asked.

"What?" Natalia didn't look at her.

"Thank you for what you said to me earlier," Saffron said. "I know that you have no reason to be nice to me, but what you said really got to me. I just had a talk with Andrew."

"Good for you," Natalia said. "I'm not trying to be rude, but I don't really want to hear about it."

"Right," Saffron nodded. "I--I'm sorry."

Natalia nodded and moved away.

"That wasn't awkward at all," RJ muttered.

"I'm sorry," Saffron said. "I know you were friends with her."

"I still am," RJ shrugged. "This hasn't been easy on her, either. But, you know, she's moving on."

"I'm glad," Saffron said as the coach moved them all into line-up.

In the stands, Cho had finally rejoined Harry, Hermione, and Neville.

"I didn't miss anything, did I?" Cho asked.

Neville shook his head. "The match was delayed for some reason."

"I hope everything's okay?" Cho said, sitting down.

Neville nodded. "Seems like they're about to start. Where did you go, love?"

"I went to see Saffron," Cho said.

"How is she?" Neville asked.

"Better," Cho smiled at him.

Neville put his arm around her.

"There's our girl!" Harry shouted as the players took to the sky.

"Come on Saffy!" Hermione cheered.

"Let's go, Potter!" Ethan shouted.

Saffron heard her family cheering her on and waved in their direction.

Harry squeezed his wife's hand.

"She looks happier today," Hermione said, unaware that her daughter had reconciled with Andrew.

"She does," Harry agreed. "She looks more like herself."

Hermione trained her Omnioculars on her daughter. “Harry!”

"What?" Harry asked.

"She's wearing her engagement ring!" Hermione exclaimed.

Cho caught what Hermione said and she couldn't help grinning. Saffron apparently had spoken to Andrew.

"She does?" Harry asked, picking up his own pair. "I didn't know Andrew was here..."

Neville nodded. "He's over there with Andy and Tricia, Harry."

"Wonder if I should go find out what happened..." Harry started to get up.

"Wait until after the match," Hermione put her hand on his arm. "I think it will be good news."

Harry nodded as the players took their positions in the sky.

Ethan looked at his wife who was holding Kiera in her lap. Their daughter was clapping her hands excitedly. "How are you holding up?"

"Fine," Maddie replied as Kiera gurgled something unintelligible.

"Do you want me to grab you something to eat?" Ethan asked. "Before the match really gets started?"

"That would be fantastic," Maddie said. "Whatever you see first."

"And what about you?" Ethan asked his daughter. "Do you want something, too?"

"Buh," Kiera replied.

"Buh, eh?" Ethan laughed. "I'll see if they have that at the counter."

Maddie laughed. "I'm sure she'd like some crackers. I probably have some if they don't have any at the counter."

Ethan gave them both a kiss on the cheek. "I'll be right back."

"Daddy's going to get us a treat," Maddie said to her daughter.

Kiera smiled and clapped her hands together.

Maddie pointed up in the sky. "There's your Uncle RJ, Kiera!"

Kiera stared up, her intense eyes following her uncle.

"And there's your Aunt Saffy," Maddie pointed out.

"Hi," Kiera looked at her mother.

Maddie grinned. "Hi, love."

Kiera pointed as some of the players zagged around the field.

Ethan came back a few moments later carrying a tray full of food. "I hope you lot are hungry."

"Always," Maddie eyed it ravenously. "And the new baby is starving too."

Ethan laughed. "This is why I got extra."

Maddie gratefully passed Kiera to her husband while she reached for the tray.

"Dad, you and Mum want any of this?" Ethan asked his parents.

"I might nibble," Hermione said. "I'm too nervous to eat right now... I always hate seeing her so high up there."

Ethan laughed. "I had a feeling you'd say that."

"She'll be all right," Harry reassured his wife. "You know how she is on a broom."

"I know how I am when she's on a broom," Hermione said, wincing as Saffron did a daring move to get out of the way of a Bludger.

"Good job Saffy!" Ethan hollered.

"Did you see that?" Harry nudged his wife. "She's bloody brilliant!"

Hermione already had her hands over her eyes. "No I did not see it and I don't want to!"

"I don't foresee any bad accidents or falls," Maddie told her mother-in-law.

"I hope not," Hermione said. "I always tell myself before every match that I'm going to deal with it but it always scares me."

Ethan laughed. "Nothing you say is going to change that, Mads. Mum is a notorious worrier when it comes to Saf, me, or Dad flying. I remember my last match at Hogwarts. I did this amazing move on my broom and she read me the riot act afterwards for scaring her half to death."

"Because you nearly fell off," Hermione reminded him.

"I held on," Ethan said with a shrug.

"I saw you slipping," Hermione said. "It was horrible."

"I survived," Ethan said.

"Hermione," Harry nudged her. "Watch your daughter."

"Okay, okay," Hermione said. "Where is she?"

Harry pointed. "Over by RJ."

The match went by fairly quickly with no falls or accidents, just as Maddie had predicted.

Saffron circled the field, wondering where the Snitch was. She'd only caught one glimpse of it in the duration of the game.

If she was going to catch it, now would be the time. The other seeker was hovering in the middle of the pitch.

"Where are you?" she muttered, her eyes scanning the stands. She tried to ignore Natalia as the other girl flew near her, batting away a Bludger.

"Good one, Natalia!" Saffron shouted.

The other girl didn't respond, only flew away.

Saffron sighed.

"Focus," Saffron told herself. "Find the damn Snitch."

Just then, the Snitch whizzed past her.

"Gotcha," Saffron turned and took off at a breakneck speed.

"She's spotted it!" Andrew shouted. "Go, Saffy!"

She wasn't sure how, but she heard Andrew over everyone else in the crowd and it spurred her on to go even faster.

Saffron held on to the broom with one hand as she reached for the Snitch.

It flew out of her grasp and she stretched even further.

Hermione gripped Harry's hand tightly. "I can't watch..."

"She'll be okay," Harry said absently as the other Seeker flew up closer to Saffron.

The crowd seemed to hold their collective breath as Saffron reached for the Snitch.

"I've almost... got you..." Saffron ignored the other Seeker as he too, tried to grab the golden ball.

"She's flying too close to the posts!" Hermione exclaimed in horror. "What if she hits one of them, Harry?"

"She won't," Harry squeezed his wife's hand tightly.

Saffron managed to get her gloved hand around the Snitch just in time. She pulled back on her broom and just did miss the post. The crowd cheered wildly.

Hermione sank into her seat, her knees trembling.

Harry put his arm around her. "I told you she'd be fine! That's our girl!"

"But Harry she was so close," Hermione said, her hands shaking.

Harry kissed the side of her head. "I know, but she knew what she was doing, love. It's fine."

Hermione nodded. "I know. It just scares me."

"Let's go down to the pitch," Ethan said. "Congratulate her in person!"

Andrew had the same idea. He knew Saffron was right when she said they still had things to talk about, but right now he just wanted to get her in his arms.

"Go," Tricia said smiling at her son.

"I'll meet up with you both later," Andrew promised.

"We'll see you at the after party," Andy told his son.

Andrew nodded and hurried out of the VIP box.

Saffron was receiving congratulations from her team-mates. "Miss Potter!" one of the reporters asked. "Excellent match. Might we ask a couple of questions?"

"About the match?" Saffron asked. "Sure. That's all though."

"Given your condition, how did you feel about playing in the match?" the reporter asked.

"Just fine," Saffron answered.

"And I'm sure playing in a match to benefit house elves was quite the incentive given how important that cause has always been to your mother?" the reporter continued.

"That's one of the reasons I was eager to participate," Saffron said.

"How long will you play?" the woman asked. "Given your condition..."

"I'll play for as long as I can," Saffron said. "My spot on the team is secure."

"That's all the questions, please," RJ said putting his arm around Saffron.

Saffron smiled gratefully at him. "Thanks."

"No problem," RJ said.

"Saf!" Andrew called out to her.

Saffron turned around and smiled. "Andrew!'

He ran forward and scooped her up. "You were fantastic, Saf."

"Thanks," Saffron put her arms around his neck. "I heard you, you know."

"You did?" he asked with a grin.

Saffron nodded and held up her hand. "I think the ring's my good luck charm."

Andrew laughed as he slid his arms down around her waist and hugged her close.

"Saffy?" Harry asked.

Saffron pulled away. "Dad!"

"You were brilliant, baby!" Harry told her.

"Thanks," Saffron said breathlessly. "Where's Mum?"

"Right here," Hermione said coming up behind her. "You scared me half to death, Saffron Grace!"

"I'm sorry," Saffron said. "I know I got a little close to those posts."

"Too close for comfort," Hermione said, giving her a hug. "You're still my baby girl."

Saffron hugged her mother tightly.

"Do you two have anything to tell us?" Harry asked Andrew.

"We worked things out," Andrew said with a broad grin. "I mean... we still have things to talk about, but we're going to make it work."

Harry shook his hand. "That's great news."

"Thank you," Andrew said, his eyes on Saffron. "I told her it didn't matter about the baby. It's a part of her and I'm going to love it regardless."

"I think she knew that deep down," Harry said thoughtfully. "She was just scared."

"I wish she'd told me before we spent these few weeks apart," Andrew commented. "She doesn't need to jump to that conclusion."

"None of that matters now," Harry said as Hermione and Saffron joined them. "Congratulations, baby."

"Thanks," Saffron leaned against Andrew. "Maybe everything will finally work out for me."

Hermione could tell her daughter and Andrew wanted to be alone. "We'll see you at the party, love."

"Okay," Saffron nodded.

Andrew started to walk her to the locker room when Saffron suddenly stopped. She smiled and put a hand to her stomach.

"What is it?" Andrew asked.

"I think I just felt a kick," Saffron said.

"Really?" Andrew asked.

Saffron nodded. "Do you---do you know want to feel it?"

"Sure," he said, moving closer. He reached out his hand and pressed it on her stomach.

"Right here," Saffron guided his hand.

"I don't feel anything," he said after a moment.

"Maybe if you press down a little," Saffron suggested.

He did as she said. "Was that one?"

"I think so," Saffron said smiling slightly at him.

"Wow," he said. "That's our baby..."

Saffron's eyes were shining when she looked up to meet his gaze. "Our baby."

Andrew smiled at her. "I promise you that it will always be our baby. Nothing can change the way I feel about you or this child."

Saffron put her arms around him. "I love you so much."

Andrew gave her a kiss. "I love you too."

"I have an appointment with Lizzy tomorrow," Saffron said. "She thinks we might be able to tell the sex of the baby tomorrow. Would you---would you like to come with me?"

"I want to be there for everything," Andrew told her.

Saffron grinned. "I want that, too. More than anything."

"So what made you come find me?" Andrew asked.

"Something Natalia said actually," Saffron admitted. "And my Aunt Cho."

"Natalia?" Andrew asked in surprise.

"Yeah," Saffron said telling him about the conversation she and Natalia had in the locker room. "She still doesn't like me for good reason, but what she said really hit home with me."

"I'm surprised," Andrew said. "She hasn't exactly had a lot to say to me either."

"We hurt her," Saffron said quietly. "If I have any regrets, it's that she was hurt."

"Yeah I know," Andrew reached for her hand. "But it would have been worse if I had stayed with her."

"We shouldn't have been apart to begin with," Saffron agreed.

"From now on, if we have a problem, we'll talk it out," Andrew said. "No more hiding things."

Saffron nodded. "No more letting anything get in between us."

"Nothing," he agreed.

"Frankie will kill me if we're late for the party," Saffron said. "Will you wait for me while I get changed?"

"Of course," Andrew nodded.

Saffron gave him a kiss. "I'll meet you outside in about twenty minutes."

"I'll be waiting," he promised.

Saffron practically floated back to the locker rooms.

She dressed quickly, wanting to get back to Andrew as soon as possible. It was hard to believe only a few hours ago she felt like her life was headed down the drain.

"It's all working out now," Saffron whispered touching her stomach.

He wanted to be a father to her baby. He really didn't care that it wasn't his child.

Natalia had been right. Andrew was a great man and he would make a great father. Saffron felt incredibly lucky and blessed.

She tossed her uniform into her bag and grabbed her broom, heading back outside.

Andrew was waiting for her just like he'd promised.

"Ready?" he asked, reaching for her hand.

Saffron nodded. "Absolutely."

"I'm glad it didn't get out that we had broken up," Andrew said quietly as they left the stadium. "Less explaining to do."

Saffron nodded. "I know what you mean. We'll have enough explaining to do as it is."

"What have you been doing these last few weeks?" Andrew asked.

"I've been with my folks," Saffron said. "I've kind of kept a low profile. Just reading and doing a lot of thinking."

"Me too," he nodded.

"And being completely miserable," Saffron said shooting him a sideways grin.

"Me too," he echoed.

Saffron squeezed his hand. "But, we're better now."

Andrew nodded and they walked in silence for a few moments. "Have you thought of any names yet?" he asked.

"I have actually," Saffron replied.

"Tell me," he urged.

"Well, if it's a boy," Saffron said. "I'd like to call him 'Robert' after my grandfather."

Andrew nodded. "I had a feeling..."

"And if it's a girl, I'd like to name her Elinore, after my Gran," Saffron said. "And I'd call her 'Ellie'."

Andrew nodded. "That sounds great, Saffy."

"You really think so?" Saffron asked.

"Absolutely," Andrew said.

Saffron smiled. "I still have to think of a good middle name."

"We have time to come up with one," Andrew said.

"Lots of time," Saffron said happily.

It didn't take them long to arrive at the party. Saffron figured RJ had told everyone about her and Andrew as applause broke out when they walked in the door.

Saffron blushed.

"It's like we're already married," Andrew muttered to her.

Saffron giggled and laughed as Chloe ran toward her. "Flower girl again!"

Saffron scooped her up. "That's right, Chloe."

"Yay!" Chloe squealed.

Saffron hugged her tightly.

Chloe smiled shyly at Andrew.

"Hiya Chloe," Andrew grinned at her. "You look pretty today."

Chloe beamed at him. "Thank you."

"I'm hungry," Saffron said. "Think we'll be able to get something to eat?"

Chloe nodded. "Lots and lots and lots of food!"

Saffron kissed the little girl's cheek. "You mean Emma hasn't eaten it all yet?"

"Not all of it," Chloe giggled.

"Most of it then?" Saffron teased.

"She's had a piece of cake already," Chloe whispered.

"Then we better grab some before it's too late," Andrew took her from Saffron.

Brian and Drew came over. "She was so happy when she found out," Drew said giving Saffron a hug.

"So were we," Brian shook Andrew's hand.

"Thanks, mate," Andrew said.

"We kept everything that we'd already done in your files," Drew said to Saffron. "So when you're up to it, we'll pick everything back up again."

"Thanks," Saffron said. "How's Darla doing?"

"She's going to try and come by for a bit," Drew said. "She's still on strict bed rest."

"I know that can't be much fun for her," Saffron said.

"Not especially," Drew agreed. "But wow... you, Maddie and Dar... all having babies."

Saffron grinned. "They'll all be best friends, of course."

"I wouldn't doubt it," Drew said. "The next generation of the princess club, I'm sure."

"Of course," Saffron said as they followed Chloe up to the buffet table.

272. Chapter 272 The Party Continues

Authors’ note: Tonight’s chapter takes a break from the Saffy drama. You’ll get to see Hannah in this chapter along with Jon, Allie and the kids as Jon has an interesting proposition for his twin brother. Happy New Year!

In the corner, Hannah was sitting at a table by herself while her parents mingled. Emma had been sitting with her, but she had gotten up to get a piece of cake. Hannah picked up a crayon to colour something when someone else sat down beside her. "That's a pretty picture you're making," a woman's voice said.

Hannah looked up. "Thank you," she said shyly.

"My name's Mallory," the woman said smiling at her.

"I’m Hannah," she said softly.

"It's nice to meet you, Hannah," Mallory said extending her hand.

She eyed the woman suspiciously.

"I knew your mother," Mallory said.

Hannah still eyed her strangely. Her mother was throwing this party- a lot of people knew her. She wondered why this woman had singled her out.

"You look---" Mallory started to say when she felt someone tapping on her shoulder. "Mrs. Barron---"

"Can I help you?" Frankie asked coolly.

Will picked up Hannah. "Come on, love. I promised you a dance."

"Okay," Hannah said, putting her arms around Will. "Who is that lady, Daddy?"

"No one," Will said, carrying her to the dance floor.

Frankie folded her arms. "You have some nerve sneaking in here---"

"You haven't returned any of my phone calls," Mallory said.

"We don't have anything to say to you," Frankie said. "My husband and I contacted the social worker and she told us that Abbie Wright had no siblings."

"She was misinformed, then." Mallory said. "Abbie was my sister but we stopped talking when she took up with David Wright."

"What on earth would possess you to sneak in here like this?" Frankie asked her. "My daughter has been through enough pain. She has no idea who you are."

"I'm her blood relative," Mallory argued. "Her real aunt. I have a right to see her- to know her!"

"I'm not going to subject her to that until you can provide proof," Frankie said firmly. "Now, you either leave here on your own or I'll have security see you out."

"I don't want to have to fight you on this," Mallory said. "But if I have to, I will."

"I'm her mother," Frankie said. "We adopted her. She is my daughter and there's nothing you can do to change that."

Mallory shook her head. "I'm not a bad person, Mrs. Barron. I hoped you would see that. But you'll hear from me soon."

Frankie looked at her. "Don't you ever try anything like this again."

"I won't have to," Mallory replied.

Frankie gaped at her.

"You'll hear from me," Mallory said again before turning to leave.

Frankie was fuming. She believed Mallory when she said that she was a good person, but she couldn't believe this woman would try something like this. All she and Will wanted was proof that she was who she said she was.

Frankie shook her head as she made sure Mallory was off the premises. She told security to alert her if Mallory tried to sneak back in.

She also knew that it helped to have connections and she sought out her father. "Daddy?"

"Hi sweetheart," Neville said. "You did a great job with this party."

"Thanks," Frankie replied. "Can I have a word?"

"Of course," Neville said.

Frankie led him outside so no one could overhear.

"Sweetheart, is everything okay?" Neville asked.

"Not really," Frankie said. She told him about Mallory, the woman's first visit and what had just occurred.

"And Mrs. Roman told you that Abbie had no siblings?" Neville asked.

Frankie nodded. "We rang her after Mallory's first visit and she checked again."

Neville squeezed his daughter's hand. "You're really worried, aren't you?"

"I just... I don't know. We were told from the start nothing could jeopardize the adoption, but what if she IS related to Abbie?" Frankie said.

"David Wright signed over his parental rights and Abigail Wright is deceased," Neville said. "For all intents and purposes, you and Will are Hannah's parents."

Frankie nodded. "And we love Hannah, more than anything. She's as much our biological daughter as Izzie."

"I'll run a background check on this girl for you," Neville offered.

"Thank you," Frankie said gratefully.

Neville gave her a hug. "She's my granddaughter. I'd do anything for her."

Frankie was grateful. "Thank you so much."

"It's going to be okay," Neville reassured her.

Frankie felt better. "We should get back in."

Neville nodded and followed her back inside. Frankie caught sight of her husband and Hannah on the dance floor. Hannah was standing on his feet and grinning up at him.

Frankie smiled. She wondered how it was possible not to want children.

"No one's going to take her away from us," Frankie said to her father. "Right?"

"Not a chance," Neville assured her.

"Thanks, Daddy," Frankie said.

Neville squeezed her arm before going to look for Cho. Frankie headed for the refreshment table to make sure everything was full.

Her boss came by to congratulate her on the job she had done on the party and Frankie was so preoccupied she could barely manage more than a polite 'thank you'.

Will joined her a few minutes later. "What happened? How did she get in here?"

Frankie shrugged. "She snuck in. "

"Well what did she say?" Will asked impatiently.

"She said that Mrs. Roman was mistaken and that this wasn't the last we'd seen of her," Frankie told him. "I spoke with my dad and he said he'd run a background check on her."

"Good," Will nodded.

"Where is Hannah now?" Frankie asked.

"Sitting with Emma and Caroline," Will motioned to the corner of the room.

Frankie sighed in relief. "I'm just so glad you saw Mallory approaching her."

Will nodded grimly. "Let's hope she realises we are serious about wanting proof. That’s all we're asking for."

"And if she is Abbie's sister, what then?" Frankie asked.

"I don't mind her visiting, as long as it doesn't bother Hannah," Will said.

"Right," Frankie agreed.

Will rubbed her shoulders as they turned to look at their daughter. "It'll be okay."

"Let's go and sit with her," Frankie said. "I want to be near her."

"Sure," Will took her hand.

They passed a blissful Andrew and Saffron on their way to Hannah. The happy couple were dancing and seemed to only have eyes for each other.

"We could turn the extra bedroom into the nursery," Andrew was saying. "The room that's closest to ours."

"That sounds perfect," Saffron said, her head on Andrew's chest.

"It does," Andrew said. "Little Ellie or Little Robbie and you...that's all that I need."

Saffron smiled at him. "That does sound like quite the family."

"I really am complete shite at this dancing," Andrew said. "I've stepped on your feet twice now, right? You must really love me since you haven't said a word."

"I don't mind," Saffron said. "You can step on my feet all you want."

"Famous last words," Andrew teased.

"Well... you can massage them later," Saffron grinned.

"That can be arranged," Andrew promised.

"We can finally move in to our flat," she said.

"You mean that I can move everything in and you can tell me where to put it," Andrew said cheekily.

"I like that idea," Saffron said.

"Imagine that," Andrew said. "You like the idea of getting to boss me around."

Saffron smiled. "Want to go sit down for a bit? Have some cake?"

"That sounds good," Andrew replied.

They walked over to the table, got food and sat down next to Gabriel and Alexa.

"Hi, you two," Alexa said.

"Hi," Saffron smiled at them.

"I know you've heard this from a hundred people by now, but I really am happy you're back together," Gabriel said.

"I don't think I'll get tired of hearing that," Saffron said. "Thank you."

"And I am thrilled to see my best friend smiling again," Alexa said.

"Feels like it has been ages," Saffron took a big bite of cake.

"It has," Alexa said.

"I'm starved," Saffron said. "This cake is so good."

"Chocolate is your favourite," Andrew grinned, sliding his plate over to her.

"Thank you," Saffron said, happily digging in.

Alexa laughed. "I'll have to bring you some of my mum's fudge, Saffy."

"I'll take anything," Saffron said.

"Here's my mum and dad," Andrew said, nudging Saffron.

Saffron finished her cake as Tricia and Andy approached them. She wasn't sure what to say to his parents.

"Excellent match today, Saffron," Andy said to her.

"Thank you," Saffron said.

"We're so happy that you and Andrew reconciled," Tricia said.

"Thank you," Saffron said again as Tricia hugged her. "It's been an emotional few weeks."

"And I hope you know we're going to spoil that grandchild of ours," Tricia said. "It's our first."

Saffron's eyes filled with tears at Tricia's words. "Then it's going to be one lucky baby," she said.

"And a Wimbourne fan," Andy said winking at his future daughter-in-law.

Saffron shook her head.

Andy laughed. "I had to try."

"Save it dad," Andrew said wryly. "I've been trying from the start."

"We'll work on him or her when she arrives," Andy said.

"I've still got six months to prep the baby," Saffron said. "Puddlemere scores all the way."

"She never loses a fight, Mr, Kirke," Alexa said. "Not once."

"I can see that," Andy said with a grin.

Tricia gave Saffron another hug. "You and Andrew should come by the house for dinner soon."

"We will," Saffron promised. "Mum wants to have a big family dinner soon too."

"You just let us know," Tricia said. She moved to give her son a hug. "I'm so proud of you, Andrew."

"Thanks Mum," Andrew said.

Saffron sat back down and looked at Alexa. "You ready to tell me that you told me so?"

"Do I need to?" Alexa asked pointedly.

Saffron laughed. "No."

"Didn't think so," Alexa smiled at her.

"Thank you for standing by me," Saffron said. "I know I didn't put you in the best position..."

"You're my best friend," Alexa said. "I'd do it all over again if I had to." she paused a moment. "But please let's not, okay?" she grinned.

Saffron laughed. "Deal."

"You still get to help me move," Alexa told her.

"I wouldn't miss that for the world," Saffron promised. "Besides, I have to meet this roommate of yours and make sure she's a good person."

"We know she won't compare to you," Alexa said.

Saffron waved her hand. "As if she could!"

Alexa laughed. "No contest."

"I imagine she's not as scary," Gabriel joked.

"I am not scary," Saffron informed her cousin.

"Terrifying would be a more accurate description probably," Gabriel said.

"Very funny," Saffron shook her head. "You're lucky that I'm feeling on top of the world today."

Gabriel laughed. "Duly noted."

"How about we go get a bit of air," Alexa said to her boyfriend.

"I'd like that," Gabriel nodded.

Alexa took his hand in hers and led him towards the door. "I just wanted to get you alone for a little bit."

"In just a few short weeks, you will have me all to yourself," Gabriel said.

"When Nico's not around that is," Alexa grinned at him.

"True," Gabriel laughed. "You know it's going to break his heart when he finds out Saffy's engagement is back on. He actually thought he might have a chance."

"No one else ever had a chance," Alexa deadpanned.

"Don't tell him that," Gabriel shook his head.

"My lips are sealed," she promised, leaning against him.

"Are you getting excited?" Gabriel asked. "I know you're upset about leaving your folks and Saffy..."

"I'll miss them, but I can't wait to study journalism." Alexa said. "And see you as much as I want."

"You're going to be great," Gabriel said. "And you know Saf can visit you whenever."

"Exactly," Alexa gave him a kiss.

"I love you, Lexie," Gabriel said.

"I love you too," she said softly. "I'm so glad when you're here and we can be together."

"Me too," Gabriel said. "So, Miss O'Leary. Would you like to dance?"

"I would love to," she said.

Gabriel offered her his hand. "Just make sure you stay off my toes, Lexie."

"Well if that's not the pot calling the kettle black," she teased.

"Hi, Gabey!" Emma exclaimed when he walked back into the hall.

"Hello there Emma," Gabriel said. "Or is it Ariel today?"

Emma blushed. "It's Emma."

"Just making sure," he winked at her.

"You look pretty today, Emma," Alexa said.

"Thanks," Emma twirled around. "Why are you out here?"

"The better question," Gabriel said picking her up. "Is why you're out here, Miss Weasley."

"Just looking around," Emma said.

Gabriel tickled her side causing the little girl to giggle. Alexa laughed, too. "Gabe, why don't you dance with Emma first?"

"I suppose that can be arranged," Gabriel swung Emma up into the air.

"Yay!" Emma squealed. "Let's boogie!"

Gabriel started laughing so hard he had to set her down.

"Emma Weasley, you are too much!" Alexa exclaimed.

"I try," Emma replied with a grin.

"Come on you," Gabriel said taking her hand.

Alexa watched her boyfriend pick up the five year old and dance with her.

"That just might be the sweetest thing I've ever seen," Alexa said as she sat back down with Saffron and Andrew.

"She has such a crush on him," Saffron said. "She calls him Prince Eric at those princess club meetings."

"I didn't know that," Alexa said.

"I overheard them when we were in Brighton," Saffron said.

"He's really great with her," Alexa said.

"They don’t' call me anything at those meetings," Andrew complained jokingly.

"Wizard McDreamy isn't enough for you?" Alexa joked.

"I want it all," Andrew shook his head.

Saffron cut a piece of her cake and offered it to him. "I don't know about all that, but I'm willing to give you a bite?"

"That'll do," Andrew smiled at her.

Saffron felt herself go all mushy inside when he smiled at her like that. It was hard to believe that a few hours ago, she'd felt downhearted and pessimistic. And now, she felt as if everything was finally working out like it should.

"Are we going to stay at the flat tonight?" she asked him.

"Is that what you'd like?" Andrew asked her.

"It'll be good for us to talk there," Saffron said. "And it's foolish that we're paying for it and not using it yet."

Andrew leaned in. "How about we cut off of here early then?"

Saffron nodded. "Just a little while longer. I don't want Frankie to think I don't appreciate all she's done today."

"Okay," Andrew agreed.

Meanwhile, Jon was just arriving to the party after pulling a shift at the pub. He looked for his wife to tell her his big news.

Allison was sitting with Adam at a table. "Bite, Mummy!"

"Okay Adam," Allison said, laughing.

Jon sat down. "Sorry I'm late."

"That's okay," Allison smiled at her husband. "How was work?"

"Good and bad," Jon replied.

"Daddy, want cake?" Adam asked, holding his fork out to his father.

"Thanks Adam," Jon said, taking the fork.

"What's going on, Jon?" Allison asked eagerly.

"Vic's moving," Jon said. "To Fife. Her husband got transferred up there."

"But, she's owned the pub forever," Allison protested. "She's just going to give that up?"

"She's going to sell out," Jon said. "If I had the money to buy her share, I'd do it."

"You really want to do that, don't you?" Allison asked.

"It would be so much more money coming in," Jon sighed. "But I don't even think I could buy her out."

"Maybe we could take out a loan from Gringotts," Allison suggested. "Or borrow from our parents..."

"She told me what I'd have to get," Jon said. "I don't know if it's possible, Al."

Allison reached for his hand. "We'll work something out, Jon."

Jon nodded. "That would be great, if I could scrape the money together."

"Money," Adam parroted.

"Adam," Allison chastised. "That's enough of that. Have some more cake."

"Kay," Adam said happily.

Allison smiled reassuringly at her husband as she went to get her son another slice of cake.

Jon leaned back in his chair. He wanted this more than anything, but he didn't want to put his family in debt to get it.

"Daddy," Adam looked over at him. "Go fish?"

"Not tonight, little guy," Jon said smiling at him.

"Why?" Adam asked.

"It's dark for one thing," Jon grinned.

"So?" Adam asked. "Big fish like dark."

"You," Jon said tweaking his nose. "Are definitely my little boy."

Adam grinned at him.

"Daddy!" Caroline exclaimed running over to him. "Mummy said you were finally here!"

"Hi Angel," Jon said as Caroline hugged him. "Are you having fun?"

Caroline nodded. "I danced with a boy!"

"WHAT?" Jon asked loudly.

Caroline blushed.

"Al," Jon said. "Caroline's dancing with boys? When did we agree to this? When--"

Allison held up a hand. "She danced with one boy, Jonathan."

"That's one more boy than she should be dancing with," Jon replied.

"Okay, Neville," Allison joked.

"That's not funny," Jon snapped.

"Eat your cake," Allison told him. "It was one harmless dance."

"Daddy I don't like him like THAT," Caroline was clearly upset now. "He's just a friend and we didn't dance that close."

"And she's only nine," Allison pointed out.

"I suppose next it'll be okay if Emma kisses someone," Jon grumbled.

"Jon," Allison said reaching for his hand.

Jon just shook his head.

Caroline walked over to her mother. "Is Daddy mad?"

"He's just a little frustrated, Angel." Allison reassured her. "It's nothing to worry about."

"I'm going to go find Mia," Caroline told her.

"You go have fun," Allison told her. "I'll let you know when it's time to go."

Caroline nodded and hurried off in the other direction.

"Eat your cake and relax," Allison turned back to her husband. "We'll work something out. Don't let this bother you."

Jon sighed. "I overreacted. It's just been a long day, Al."

She rubbed his shoulder. "I know."

"I'm good at this, Allie," Jon said.

"Yes you are," Allison agreed. "You're a fantastic people person and that's why you've helped make that pub what it is today."

Jon smiled at her. "Thanks."

Allison gave him a kiss. "There's the husband I know and love."

"I just wish there was some way to--" Jon's voice trailed off as he caught sight of his twin brother.

"About time you made it," Josh said with a grin.

"Josh," Jon said grinning back at him.

"What's going on, mate?" Josh asked. "How's the pub?"

"It's great," Jon replied thoughtfully. "My partner's leaving though."

"Really?" Josh asked in surprise. "Why's that?"

Jon told him about Victoria's husband. "She's offered me her half, but there's no way I can raise that much money in such a short period of time."

Josh nodded thoughtfully. "I see what you mean..."

"We'll think of something, Jon," Allison said.

Jon nodded. "I hope so."

Josh looked at his brother. "What would you think of...me?"

"What?" Jon asked. "Think of you about what?"

"As a partner?" Josh asked.

Jon stared at him. "YOU?"

Josh laughed. "Me."

"Since when did you want to get involved with the pub?" Jon asked,

"Since you needed my help," Josh replied.

Jon shook his head. "Josh--"

"Josh, this is a big responsibility," Allison pointed out. "Jon and I would never ask you to --"

"But I think it could be interesting," Josh said. "And while I help you at the pub, I can still work on my book."

"Josh, are you serious?" Jon asked. He loved his brother, but they rarely saw eye to eye on things. Going into business together might be a potential disaster.

Josh nodded.

"I don't know what to say," Jon admitted.

"Come on," Josh said. "I think this could be really good."

Jon quickly weighed over the pros and cons of this decision in his head. Short of working in their father's shop when they were kids, Josh had no experience in business. But, Josh was smart and a quick learner.

He also knew the law quite well, and that could help out quite a bit.

"Do you think you should talk this over with Liz?" Allison asked Josh.

"I will," Josh nodded.

"Then, I guess you and I are partners," Jon said extending his hand.

Josh grinned at him. "I'll talk to Liz tonight and tomorrow we'll set things in motion."

"Pardners," Adam said before smearing his face with chocolate icing.

Jon, Josh and Allison all laughed.

"You are a mess, Adam Jonathan Weasley," Allison said.

"Mess," he agreed happily.

Josh grinned. "I'll see you lot, later."

"Bye, pardner," Adam waved an icing covered hand at his uncle.

Allison laughed and reached for her napkin. "Come here, little guy."

"No," Adam said. "Mess!"

"No mess," Allison told him.

"No clean," Adam pulled away.

"How about you give your mummy a big chocolate kiss?" Jon asked his son with a grin.

Adam laughed. "Kiss Mummy!"

Allison laughed. "No kiss."

"Kiss!" Adam shouted.

Allison picked him up and placed him in her lap. "One kiss, but afterwards, you have to let me wipe your mouth, Adam Jonathan."

Adam grinned mischievously.

"You see that face right there?" Allison asked Jon. "That's you."

"I know," Jon said smugly.

Allison gave Adam a kiss. "There you messy boy."

"Mummy mess too!" he said happily.

Allison reached for her napkin. "Yeah, yeah..."

She wiped her own face off then dabbed at her son's. "There we are."

"There's something else I was thinking about," Jon said looking at her. "I was wondering if you'd like to be the full time cook at the pub."

"Full time cook?" Allison asked. "Really?"

Jon grinned. "Yeah. You'd be great at it and everyone's loved it when you pitched in before."

"I'll think about it," Allison said. "I don't want to leave Mum's studio in the lurch."

Jon nodded and reached for her hand. "You know if you're worried about the boss, he'd put in a good word for you."

Allison shook her head. "You are incorrigible."

Jon chuckled. "I try."

"Daddy!" Emma came up behind him.

"Hi baby girl," Jon said. "Where have you been?"

"Dancing," Emma replied, swaying in place.

"Dancing, eh?" Jon asked. "Not with any boys I hope."

Emma giggled. "Gabey."

"Uh oh," Allison said with a grin.

"Emma Madeline, how about you dance with your old dad and tell me all about it?" Jon asked.

"Okay," Emma agreed.

Jon stood up and looked at his wife. "You're next, Al."

"Sounds good to me," Allison said.

Jon took Emma's hand. "Come on, little diva."

"Diva!" Emma sang.

Allison laughed and looked at Adam. "Emma's a diva, isn't she?'

Adam nodded. "Em diva."

Allison stood up with him. "You want to dance, too?"

"No," Adam said.

"What do you want to do then?" Allison asked him.

"Cake?" Adam asked.

Allison mussed his hair. "Adam..."

"Cake?" he asked again hopefully.

"One more piece," Allison said.

"YAY!" Adam shouted, clapping his hands.

Allison laughed. "You're easy to please."

Adam clapped again. "Chloe wants cake too!"

"Chloe is all the way across the room, Adam," Allison told him.

"Ask," Adam squirmed.

"Okay," Allison said carrying him through the crowd to Chloe's table. "Hiya, Brian. Adam wanted to eat cake with Chloe."

"Cake!" Chloe sang happily.

Brian laughed. "I guess that's your answer."

"If you don't mind watching him for a minute, I'll get them some cake," Allison said.

"Of course," Brian replied.

"Chocolate!" Adam called.

Drew came over to join them. She had just stepped outside to check on her sister. "Darla's bored to tears and wishes she could be here."

"She can't come by even for a little while?" Brian asked.

"I don't think she wants to take any chances," Drew said. "I was thinking we could leave early so I could stop by and check on her."

"Allie just went to get Chloe and Adam some cake," Brian told her.

Drew made a goofy face at her nephew. "Hi, Adam!"

Adam laughed. "Aunt Drew! Silly!"

"I'll show you silly," Drew said tickling his side.

"Me too!" Chloe said.

"It's the tickle monster," Drew said tickling her daughter.

Chloe shrieked with laughter.

"This has been a great night, hasn't it?" Drew asked her husband.

"It's been a blast," he agreed. "That game was fantastic."

"I'm so happy for Saffy," Drew said.

"Me too," Drew said as Allison returned with two small pieces of cake.

Adam clapped his hands. "Cake!"

"There you two go," Allison said. "Adam, that is your last piece."

"Thank, Mummy," Adam said happily.

Allison sat down across from Drew and Brian. "How's Darla?"

"She's resting," Drew told her. "Going to take it easy tonight."

"Give her my best," Allison said. "I'll stop over and see her soon."

"She'd love that," Drew said.

Darla was completely and utterly bored out of her mind. She had watched countless movies and read books. Molly was staying with her in case she needed anything and for that, Darla felt guilty. She knew that Molly would have liked to be at the party tonight.

"Nana if you want to go, I understand--" she began.

"Nonsense, love," Molly said waving her hand dismissively. "I'm right where I want to be."

"Thanks," Darla said, lying back against the pillows. Rafe had his foot lodged in her rib cage and it was really quite painful.

The doorbell chimed and Molly smiled. "I'll go and get that. It might be Drew."

"She's stopping by?" Darla asked.

"She said she might," Molly said walking out of the room. She hurried down the stairs and opened the door. "Healer Thornhart. What a nice surprise!"

"Hello Mrs. Weasley," Liam said. "I was in the neighbourhood and thought I'd stop by to see my patient."

"Please, come in," Molly said standing back to let him inside.

"Thank you," Liam said. "How's she doing?"

"Bored," Molly replied.

He laughed. "Mind if I go visit?"

"Of course not," Molly replied. "Can I get you anything to drink?"

"I'm fine, thank you." He said

"Her room is the second one at the top of the stairs," Molly told him.

"Great," Liam said.

Liam knocked on her bedroom door. "Darla?"

Darla pushed herself up. "Liam? What are you doing here?"

"I wanted to check on you," Liam replied. "Can I come in?"

"Of course," Darla said.

Liam opened the door and smiled at her. "Hi."

"What brings you by?" she asked.

"Would you believe a date?" Liam asked her sheepishly.

"A what?" Darla asked.

"A blind date actually," Liam replied, his cheeks reddening a bit.

"You have a blind date?" Darla asked.

"Had," Liam replied. "Had a blind date."

"Was it bad?" she questioned.

Liam chuckled. "Bad? No, it wasn't bad. It was a nightmare and the worst part, a mate of mine set this up. Some friend, eh?"

"Tell me more," Darla said, eager for details. "I need to hear something other than those bloody daytime shows and the same magazines."

"You have to promise you won't laugh," Liam told her.

Darla raised an eyebrow. "I'll try."

Liam sat down. "Well, a mate of mine from University set us up. This girl was apparently a friend of a friend. He said she was smart, funny, and confident. Seems like a winner, right?"

Darla nodded. "Very much so."

"He neglected to tell me about the cats," Liam said dryly.

"You don't like cats," she guessed. "Or... allergic?"

Liam shook his head. "I don't mind cats. But, she took this to the extreme. She has over 30."

"What?" Darla exclaimed. "You've got to be kidding me!"

"Oh, I wish I was," Liam said shuddering at the memory. "And she wanted to take two of them with us."

"Where did you go?" Darla asked.

Liam put his head in his hands. "We had reservations at The Promenade. Well, they didn't want to allow pets inside, as you can imagine. Miranda, my date, didn't take too kindly to that, mind you. "

"What did she do?" Darla asked, wincing.

"She kept yelling at the hostess," Liam said. "So, I told her I had an emergency call and brought her and the two cats home."

"Do you think she'll try to ring you?" Darla asked.

"I certainly hope not," Liam said. "What a mess."

Darla patted his arm. "You'll find the right woman someday."

Liam smiled. "I don't know about that, but I'm positive about one thing---I'm never letting my mates set me up with anyone ever again."

"Good idea," Darla said.

"So how have you been?" Liam asked.

"Bored," Darla said. "Out of my mind, crazy, just about ready to tear my hair out bored."

Liam laughed. "And the little guy?"

"His foot is in my rib cage right now," Darla said. "It's been there for a few hours."

Liam pulled out his wand. "I can do something about that."

"You can?" she asked hopefully.

Liam nodded and tapped her belly with his wand. "This won't hurt him. It just moves him a little..."

Darla breathed as she felt her son shift inside her. "Oh Merlin..."

"Better?" Liam asked.

"So much better," Darla said. "You're a Godsend."

Liam smiled at her. "No problem."

"Now I can relax a bit," she said in relief.

Liam sat back down. "Anything else?"

Darla shook her head.

"I'm sorry that you couldn't go to the party," Liam said.

"It sucks," Darla said. "But Nana's here and Drew said she's stopping by."

"You look great," Liam told her.

"Liar," she said dryly.

"I'm not lying," Liam said with a grin. "You do."

"Thank you," she said.

There was a knock on the door and Molly came in carrying a tray of tea and biscuits. "I know you said you didn't need anything, Healer Thornhart, but I thought you might have changed your mind."

"Thanks," he said. "In any case, if Darla's hungry, then we have something to eat."

"I'm always hungry," Darla said. "Thanks, Nana."

"I'll be downstairs knitting," Molly said.

"You're the best," Darla told her.

Molly smiled and ducked out of the room.

"Wait until you try my nana's chocolate chip biscuits," Darla told him.

"I'll have a few," Liam said. "I am a bit hungry. I didn't get to eat."

"I'm sure you could have snuck some catnip from your date," Darla teased.

Liam laughed. "Very, very funny."

Darla smiled innocently at him. "I couldn't resist."

"Those are excellent," he nodded.

"Told you so," Darla said before popping a biscuit into her mouth.

"So where's your sister today?" he asked.

"She and most of my family are at the charity Quidditch match after party," Darla replied. "She's supposed to stop by later."

"Oh right," Liam nodded. "I forgot about that."

"I would have liked to go," Darla said wistfully.

"I know," he said. "But it's better for Rafe when you're as still as possible."

Darla nodded and put her hand on her stomach. "He's everything to me."

Liam smiled at her. "As he should be."

"And I imagine after he's born, I'll be wishing for time to just lie down and rest," Darla said.

"Probably," Liam said. "At least, that's what I hear."

"How are things at the practise?" Darla asked.

"Fine," Liam nodded. "I'm glad to have Lizzy back."

"I can imagine," Darla said. "It must have been hard to juggle it all by yourself."

"I did all right," Liam shrugged modestly.

Darla grabbed another biscuit. "You're brilliant."

"I'm like any other healer," he said.

"You go above and beyond," Darla said. "And it seems like you really care about your patients."

"I do," he nodded. "Because I think it makes a good healer."

"It does," Darla said thoughtfully. "I, for one, have never regretted my decision to choose you as my healer."

Liam smiled at her. "I'm glad to hear that."

"And yours is the first face my little guy is going to see," Darla said.

Liam laughed. "Hopefully he won't be too scared."

"It's a good face," Darla said without thinking. "I mean, as far as faces go..."

"Thanks," he said, reaching for another biscuit.

Darla wondered what had made her say something like that.

"Do you need anything else?" he asked, not noticing her discomfort. "How's Rafe- not back in your rib cage, I hope."

Darla shook her head. "No, no I'm fine.'

"Good," he said, reaching behind her and fluffing her pillows.

As he did so, Darla got a whiff of his cologne. Had he always smelled this good?

He smiled at her. "Okay?"

"Perfect," Darla whispered.

"So what have you been reading?" Liam nodded towards her magazines.

"Witch Weekly, Magical Bride, The Quibbler," Darla replied.

"Your mother writes for the Quibbler, right?" Liam asked, picking up the paper.

Darla nodded. "Since my grandfather retired, she's more or less the editor-in-chief."

"Wow," he seemed impressed. "When I was a kid, I wanted to be a writer."

"Really?" Darla asked.

He nodded. "It was a toss up between writing and being a healer. Obviously you can see which one won out."

Darla smiled. "I think you made the right choice."

"I always hoped so," he said with a grin.

"Do you still write?" Darla asked.

"Not really," Liam said. "I don't exactly have the time."

"Right," Darla said. "I was never much of a writer, but I love to read. And I used to spend summer hols helping out at the paper."

"That must have been fun," he commented.

"It was," Darla said. "I loved spending time with my grandfather and my mum."

Liam was about to respond when she yawned. "Tired?" he asked wryly.

"A little," Darla admitted, but she wasn't ready for him to go.

"Get some sleep," he said. "I don't want to keep you up if you need a kip."

"I'm really happy you stopped by," Darla said softly.

"Me too," he agreed. "I like to think we're friends, not just healer and patient."

"Me too," Darla said.

"I'll let you rest," he said, moving to get up. "And I'll talk to you soon."

"Good night, Liam," Darla said touching his arm.

"See you soon, Dar." he said with an easy smile.

"Soon," Darla said smiling sleepily back at him.

"I'll see myself out," Liam said.

Darla nodded and watched him go. She wondered if her hormones were responsible for the way she had reacted to him tonight.

She had always thought in a neutral way that he was good looking, but tonight she'd noticed more about him than she ever had.

There had been that twinge of disappointment she'd felt when he'd told her that he'd had a blind date.

Darla felt strangely and stupidly jealous of this daft woman who didn't appreciate what she could have had.

Darla sighed. It had to be the hormones that were making her react like this and the loneliness she felt since Hans has officially moved out.

She missed her husband very much. He'd rung a few times but Darla had refused to talk to him. It was still too soon for her.

She honestly didn't know what the future held for them and it scared her.

273. Chapter 273 the Partnership Begins

Authors’ note: This is your first look as Jon & Josh as business partners! We hope you enjoy!

After talking with Lizzy, Josh accepted the offer to become Jon's business partner. They had signed the papers and Josh couldn't wait to show up for his first day of work at the pub. He had so many ideas that he wanted to implement. The pub was successful, sure, but it could be doing so much better.

It had been quite the bittersweet morning for Jon. Victoria had left, and already it felt different without her presence there. The pub had been hers for so long that it would take awhile before he came to terms with her being gone.

"I keep thinking she's going to walk through the door apologising for being late," Audrey said breaking into Jon's reverie.

"I know," Jon replied, shaking his head.

"At least, we still have you," Audrey said with a grin. "And the second Mr. Weasley. When's he arriving anyway?"

"Should be here anytime," Jon looked at his watch. "My brother is nothing if not punctual."

"At least someone will be on time," Audrey teased.

"I'm going to check on Al," Jon said. "See how she's getting settled on her first day."

"We're going to have the best food here," Audrey said. "I can't wait to try something off the new menu."

Jon nodded. "Let me know when Josh arrives."

"I will," Audrey promised. "Hopefully Becca's on time too."

"Don't ask for miracles," Jon called out over his shoulder before he entered the kitchen. Jon looked over at his son who was playing in his playpen while Allison chopped vegetables.

"DADA!" Adam shouted.

Jon laughed. "Hey, buddy. Are you keeping your mummy company?"

"No," Adam said, sitting down.

"There's his new favourite word," Allison said grinning at Jon.

"Great," Jon groaned jokingly. "It smells, fantastic in here, Al."

"I really loved your idea of having a 'soup of the day'," Allison told him. "I thought today I'd make vegetable soup, tomorrow we'd do French onion, and minestrone on Wednesday."

"You've got my mouth watering," Jon said, giving her a kiss. "Thank you so much for coming to work here, Al. This is really going to help things out."

"I love this place as much as you do," Allison said. "And I want to do what I can to help and you know how I always wanted to do this someday."

"Yeah," Jon grinned at her. "I remember."

He was leaning in for another kiss when Josh entered the kitchen. "Good morning," Josh said clearing his throat.

"Hey," Jon said. "Welcome to the pub."

"Good morning, Josh," Allison said warmly.

Josh's eyes fell on the playpen. "What's Adam doing here?"

"He's here so we don't have to hire a babysitter," Jon explained.

"And he's always gone to work with me," Allison said.

"I had to put the triplets in day care," Josh said.

"You could have brought them," Jon said.

"I don't think that would be wise," Josh replied thoughtfully. "This is a place of business."

"Well," Jon said. "Adam comes with the package. He's not a bother. Most of the patrons here love it when he comes out there with me."

"You won't even know he's here," Allison said.

Jon wanted to change the subject. "Come on," he said. "I'll show you around the backroom and the office."

Josh grinned. "That sounds great."

Adam waved his hand. "Bye, Dada!"

"See you later, buddy," Jon grinned at him.

Josh followed his brother down the hall. "Allison's cooking here full-time?"

Jon nodded. "She just started today too."

"You didn't think to ask me?" Josh asked.

Jon gave him a strange look. "Al's been helping out with the menu for awhile..."

"She's never worked as a chef professionally," Josh pointed out.

"She's not the only one there," Jon said. "We have two part time chefs- the full time one quit a month ago and we hadn't found a replacement."

"I suppose that's okay then," Josh said shrugging his shoulders.

"It'll be fine," Jon fought to keep the shortness out of his tone. "This is the office- all the ledgers, expense reports, payroll... all kept in here. Only you and I have keys."

"I'd like to look at those," Josh said.

"Sure," Jon nodded.

"And I have a lot of ideas myself," Josh told him.

"Like what?" Jon asked.

"I'll tell you after I read over those ledgers," Josh said.

"Ok..." Jon said. "Let me show you the storeroom where we keep all the supplies first."

Josh nodded and pulled out a small notebook and pen from his pocket. He started scribbling notes.

Jon stared at him for a moment before opening a door to a large, walk in room. "Here's where we keep the extra liquor and whatnot," he said. "And here's the cooler."

"How do you have everything organised?" Josh asked.

"Huh?" Jon asked.

"How do you have everything organised?" Josh asked looking up from his notebook.

"Uh... when we get it we put it on the shelves," Jon said.

"Yes," Josh said. "But, how do you organise them? Alphabetical order?"

"No," Jon said. "We just put them up there. It's never been a problem finding something..."

Josh chuckled. "I seem to remember that was your way of getting out of cleaning our room when we were kids. Jon, you're not a kid anymore..."

"It's the way Vic did it, and I just went along with it," Jon said defensively.

"Organization is the key to success," Josh said. "I'm thinking we can set up a new set of shelves here and alphabetise the inventory."

"Fine," Jon said, not wanting to argue. "I should really get back out to the bar."

"I'm going to read over those ledgers," Josh said. "We could meet again in about an hour?"

"Sure," Jon said. "Just come on up there when you're done."

Josh nodded and headed into the office. Jon walked back into the kitchen. Allison looked up at him. "Hey. How was the grand tour?"

"Interesting," Jon said. "I forgot how OCD he can be sometimes."

Allison laughed. "I'm sure it's not that bad, Jon."

"We'll see," Jon said. "Oscar should be here soon to help you out for the lunch rush."

"Would you like to sample the soup?" Allison asked.

"Sure!" Jon said eagerly.

Allison handed him a small bowl. "Be honest. Tell me what you think."

Jon tasted it. "That's fantastic."

Allison beamed at him. "You know, I think you married me just because I was a good cook."

"I started dating you because I knew you were a good cook," Jon said saucily.

"Ah-hah," Allison laughed. "The truth finally comes out after all these years. Adam, can you believe your Daddy?"

"No," Adam shook his head.

"Would you mind feeding him while I finish this?" Allison asked her husband.

"Sure," Jon said. "I've only got a minute though. I have to get back out to the bar."

Adam smiled at his father when Jon lifted him out of the playpen. "Come on, little guy."

"Eat," Adam told him.

"You want me to eat your lunch?" Jon asked grinning back at his son. "That's very nice of -"

"No!" Adam shouted. "Me eat!"

"Oh!" Jon exclaimed. "That's what you meant. Okay..."

He sat Adam down on the counter and began to feed him. "Taste good, buddy?"

Adam nodded happily.

"That's my boy," Jon said as Adam grasped the fork in his little hand.

"All mine!" Adam exclaimed.

"All yours," Jon chuckled.

"Are you sure having him here isn't going to be a problem?" Allison asked. "Josh didn't look too happy about it."

"Josh will deal with it," Jon replied.

"He's a good boy," Allison said.

"No," Adam replied.

Jon mussed his hair. "Adam Jonathan..."

Adam laughed. "Play?"

"After the lunch rush," Jon promised.

"Okay," Adam said as Jon put him back in his playpen.

Jon gave his wife a kiss before heading out to the bar. RJ was sitting at the bar chatting with Audrey. "Junior, what brings you here?"

"I had to come see my girl," RJ said.

"And he knew Allie was cooking," Audrey said.

RJ shrugged sheepishly. "Can't turn that down."

"Becca show up yet?" Jon asked Audrey.

Audrey shook her head.

Jon sighed. "Twenty minutes late."

"I'll talk to her," Audrey promised. "She's not normally so irresponsible."

RJ muttered something under his breath.

"What?" Audrey asked her boyfriend.

"Hmm?" RJ asked innocently.

"What did you say?" she asked.

"Nothing," RJ said. "I had something in my throat."

"Oh," Audrey said. "Want me to go see if Allie's got anything ready?"

"That'd be great," Jon said.

Jon watched his brother's eyes follow Audrey. "You've got it bad."

RJ grinned. "Yes, I do."

"She's good for you," Jon said. "Even better for you than Alexa."

"Aud and I fit a lot better," RJ agreed.

At that moment, the girl in question came out with a bowl of soup and a plate of bread. "Allie wants you to try this, RJ." Audrey told him.

RJ grinned. "I am happy to oblige."

He was about to start eating when Becca breezed through the door.

"Hiya," Becca said waving at them.

"Becca you're late," Jon frowned. "Almost a half hour."

"I'm sorry," Becca apologised. "I overslept. It won't happen again, Jon. I promise."

"See that it doesn't," Jon said.

Becca nodded. "I'll just go and put my stuff away." She shot a wink at RJ as she brushed past him.

RJ rolled his eyes and shook his head.

Josh came out of the backroom carrying the ledgers.

RJ smiled at his other brother. "Alright, mate?"

Josh shook his head. "Jon, who's been keeping up with these?"

Jon shrugged. "Vic and I kind of took turns. Why?"

"They're a mess," Josh shook his head. "It's going to take me days to straighten them out."

"Allie was going to give them the once-over," Jon said. "You know how great she did looking over Cho's books..."

"That's a dance academy," Josh pointed out. "This is a bit different."

"It can't be that different," Jon said.

Josh rolled his eyes. "It's a good thing I arrived when I did. I'll---I'll be in the office."

Jon heaved a sigh as Josh turned and headed in back. "Why am I regretting this already?"

"Merlin, has he been like this the whole time?" RJ asked.

"You mean in the whole fifteen minutes he's been here?" Jon asked. "Yes."

RJ groaned.

Audrey nudged him. "RJ, I'm sure Josh isn't that bad. He's always seemed nice when I've met him before."

"Yeah but you've never worked with him," Jon said. "Or for him..."

"You guys are probably just making a mountain out of a molehill," Audrey said. "This has to be hard for him, too. This is new for him as well."

"We'll see," Jon said. "As it is, I should go have a word with Becca. Josh is very punctual and he expects everyone else to be that way as well."

Audrey nodded. "I'll also make sure it doesn't happen again, Jon."

Jon nodded and headed into the kitchen.

Becca was tying her apron around her waist and chatting with Allie. "Everything okay, Jon?"

"Becca," Jon said. "We asked you not to be late today."

"I know," Becca said with a giggle. "I thought I set my alarm, Jon. I promise it will not happen again."

"It better not," Jon warned her. "My brother Josh is a stickler for punctuality and he won't tolerate lateness."

Becca nodded. "Then I guess I'd better go out there and take some orders."

"Good idea," Jon said.

Jon leaned against the counter and put his head in his hands. Allison came over to him and put her hand on his arm.

"What is it?" she asked.

"This is the first day and I'm already wondering how Josh and I are going to manage this without me throttling him," Jon replied.

"It can't be that bad," Allison said encouragingly. "He's probably nervous is all."

"By questioning everything that I've done?" Jon asked.

"You know he just likes to know everything," Allison said. "It's probably not so much questioning as it is curiosity."

"I'll keep telling myself that," Jon said. "But you know this place is successful. I like to think I had something to do with that. I'm not an incompetent idiot."

"Of course you aren't," Allison said. "And Josh will realise that."

"You know the smartest decision I made was to bring you on here full-time," Jon said with a grin.

Allison smiled at him. "So I can keep an eye on you two..."

"Well there's that," Jon said leaning in for a kiss, but Josh shouted his name from the office.

"Jon!"

Jon groaned. "I guess I better go see what he wants."

"Be like a river," Allison advised. "Flow and bend. Flow and bend..."

"Yeah right," Jon muttered heading to the office.

Jon stepped into the office. "You bellowed?"

"Come here and look at this," Josh said.

"What?" Jon asked after skimming the page. "I don't see anything--"

"That," Josh pointed. "Victoria's spending---unbelievable...."

"What of it?" Jon asked impatiently.

"We really need to go over payroll," Josh said. "And perhaps talk to some of your vendors about their prices."

"Fine," Jon answered.

"I don't mean to be critical," Josh said leaning back in his chair.

Jon raised an eyebrow. "Really..."

"We both want the same thing, Jon," Josh said.

"This place is doing fine," Jon pointed out.

"It can be even better," Josh said.

Jon shrugged.

"We're both going to have to compromise," Josh said.

"I'm fine with compromise," Jon said.

Josh smiled. "This is going to be great, Jon."

"I hope so," Jon nodded.

"And I think it's okay if you have Adam here," Josh said. "As long as he doesn't get in the way..."

"He never has," Jon pointed out.

Josh nodded. "It's just a good thing Emma's not here."

"Why?" Jon asked.

"I love my niece," Josh tried to explain. "But, you know how hyper she can get..."

Jon crossed his arms and glared at his twin.

"I don't mean any offence," Josh said hastily. "I love Emma, but she's high-strung."

"And I suppose your children are perfect," Jon said sarcastically.

"I didn't say that," Josh argued. "Jon, I'm just saying that we're not running a---"

Allison knocked on the door. "Jon, they need you behind the bar."

"Fine," Jon said shortly.

Allison watched her husband stalk out of the office. She turned and looked at Josh. "What happened?"

"I'm simply giving some suggestions," Josh said.

"Maybe you could soften the blow a bit," Allison said. "Josh, Jon has put his heart and soul into this place."

"I just want to help make it better," Josh pointed out.

"I know," Allison said. "Jon knows that, too."

"Well," Josh said as he scanned over the books again. "These ledgers need some cleaning up, that's for sure. And I’ll need to familiarize myself behind the bar."

Allison smiled. "Jon can help you with that. He's a whiz behind the bar."

"We'll see," Josh replied.

"I should go back to the kitchen," Allison said.

"I'll need you to take an inventory for me," Josh called after her. "Everything you have in stock."

Allison turned around. "When---when do you want that?"

"Today," Josh answered.

"Um, okay," Allison replied. She wondered when she'd get the chance to do that between making lunch and taking care of Adam.

"As soon as possible would be great," Josh told her.

Allison sighed. It was going to be a very long day.

She headed back to the kitchen and to her relief; both part time cooks had arrived.

The pub was packed and Allison and the others had to work hard to get the orders out quickly. Adam, thankfully, slept through it all.

Jon came in back with a rack of dirty glasses. "Your soup is a hit, Al."

Allison smiled. "I'm glad."

"Everything okay?" he asked.

Allison frowned. "Yeah...everything's...okay."

"Tell me," Jon said.

"It's nothing," Allison said, not wanting to cause any more tension between the brothers.

"Al," Jon began.

Josh came out of the office. "I'm going to check on the kids for my lunch break. I'll be back in an hour. Allie, I'd like that inventory when I get back."

"Inventory?" Jon asked.

"I asked Allie to inventory the stock for me," Josh replied.

"I'll try to get it done," Allison said. "But we're in the middle of lunch rush."

"Wait a minute," Jon said. "Did you even check the rest of the ledgers, Josh? There's an inventory in there from two weeks ago."

"Oh," Josh said raising an eyebrow. "I guess I missed that."

"I guess you did," Jon replied.

Josh nodded. "Well, I'll look at those when I get back. I'll see you in a bit."

Jon sighed. "Al... I don't know if I can do this."

Allison squeezed his hand. "You and Josh will work it out."

"We'll see," Jon said.

"Dada," Adam said sleepily from his playpen.

"Hey buddy," Jon said.

Adam held his arms up. "Hold?"

"I've always got a minute for that." Jon picked his son up.

"I can't believe he slept through all this chaos," Allison said.

"Hungry," Adam said.

Allison tickled his side. "I've got you a sandwich, buddy. Your Uncle RJ is here. Do you want to eat with him?"

Adam nodded eagerly.

Jon reached for the small plate Allison had prepared for Adam. "Come on, then."

"I'll bring your juice," Allison called to him.

Jon carried Adam out to where RJ was sitting. "Someone wants to see you," he said.

RJ turned around and his face broke out into a wide grin when he saw his nephew. "Adam, my man!"

"RJ!" Adam reached for him.

Jon handed off his son and then set the plate down. "You mind eating lunch with him?"

"Not at all," RJ said. "We'll have fun, right Adam?"

Adam nodded. "Bye, Dada."

Jon chuckled. "I'll get your juice, buddy."

Adam sat in RJ's lap and reached for his sandwich. "Yummy."

"Can I have a bite?" RJ asked.

Adam nodded. "One."

"I'll wait till you're done," RJ said, bouncing his knee a bit.

Becca nudged her cousin. "Look at your bloke..."

"I know," Audrey said.

"How cute is that?" Becca gushed.

"Very," Audrey gazed at her boyfriend.

"How's living together?" Becca asked her.

"Amazing," Audrey said. "He's so sweet."

"I'd like to land one of those one day," Becca said.

"What?" Audrey looked properly at her.

"I hope to find someone like him someday," Becca said. "Someone who loves me as much as he loves you."

"I hope you do," Audrey said. "And I'm sure you will."

Becca gave her cousin a hug. "Thanks Aud."

Audrey gave her a squeeze. "I better clear my tables."

"Me too," Becca said. "Since I'm on probation, right?"

"Yes, so you better get moving," Audrey told her.

Becca saluted her cousin and giggled. "Aye, aye, captain."

Audrey quickly cleaned her tables and took a few more orders.

The crowd started to thin out and for that Audrey was grateful.

"Whew," she collapsed next to RJ and Adam. "It was crazy in here!"

"Sweepy?" Adam asked her.

"Nah," Audrey smiled at the little boy. "Not too sweepy."

Adam grinned at her.

"How's your lunch?" Audrey asked him.

"Yummy," Adam replied.

"He's been telling me some dirt on Emma," RJ laughed. "How she always wants to play with him."

"I bet she does," Audrey said. "When she's not being a princess, that is."

"And I was telling him to never let his sisters talk him into wearing dresses or tiaras or faerie costumes," RJ said.

"You mean you wont' let him borrow yours?" Audrey asked innocently.

"Funny, Aud," RJ said dryly.

"Faerie," Adam looked at his uncle.

RJ groaned. "Ugh, what have I started?"

Audrey laughed. "Adam you are too much!"

Adam laughed, too. "Aud!"

"Come here," Audrey held her arms out.

RJ watched as his nephew eagerly reached for her. "You have him wrapped around your little finger."

"Of course," Audrey kissed Adam's cheek.

"You want to do something with Andrew and Saf tonight?" RJ asked.

"Sure," Audrey nodded. "That sounds like fun."

"Sassy," Adam chimed in.

RJ laughed. "Sassy is right."

"How about I take this little guy back to his mum?" Audrey asked. "I should go and help clean up anyway."

"That okay with you little guy?" RJ asked.

Adam nodded. "Go with Aud."

"I'll see you later," RJ said.

Audrey carried Adam back to the kitchen. "Special delivery."

"There's my boy," Allison smiled.

"It's quiet back here," Audrey said looking around. "Has Josh come back yet?"

"No," Allison shook her head. "And Jon's trying to keep his cool."

"Hopefully they'll find a happy medium," Audrey said thoughtfully.

"They'll have to if they want to work together," Allison took a damp rag and wiped at Adam's face.

"How about you?" Audrey asked. "How was your first full day?"

"Not too bad," Allison said. "I'm still trying things out."

"For what it's worth, I love having you here," Audrey said. "And Adam."

"Thanks Audrey," Allison smiled at her.

Audrey excused herself to help clean up out front and Allison hugged Adam to her. "Adam, what are we going to do about your Daddy and Uncle Josh?"

"Don't know," Adam said.

"That makes two of us," Allison said shaking her head.

Frankie was finishing up the last press release for the upcoming season. She had a feeling that this would be Puddlemere's best season yet. Upper management was hoping to increase ticket sales and it was up to Frankie to promote the team any way that she could.

She looked at her watch. She hoped to finish up with this in time to pick up Hannah from her dance class.

"Mrs. Barron?" Frankie's assistant called out to her. "Your husband is here to see you."

"Oh!" Frankie said in surprise. "Tell him to come on in."

Will opened the door to his wife's office and forced a smile.

"What's up?" she asked. "Will?"

Will sat down across from his wife's desk. "Mallory is who she said she was."

Frankie gaped at him. "She's... she's really related?"

"She's Abbie Wright's sister," Will replied. He handed his wife a file. "I hired a private investigator to dig into her past."

Frankie sank back down into her seat. "What does this mean for us?"

"She's Hannah's aunt," Will said.

"But can she take her away?" Frankie asked.

"I don't think we should automatically assume that she's going to take her away," Will said. "Besides, we legally adopted Hannah."

Frankie nodded. "But... we'll let Mallory visit with her."

Will nodded. "Supervised, of course."

"Right," Frankie said.

Will walked around the desk and gave his wife a hug. "The investigator said that Mallory's got a spotless record. I don't think we have to worry about her harming Hannah."

"It's not so much that," Frankie said. "But the thought of her not being with us..."

"Don't think about that," Will reassured her. "She's our daughter."

Frankie nodded. "In every way that matters."

"How about we both go and pick her up from her dance class?" Will asked.

Frankie smiled. "She'll love that."

Will kissed her. "Come on then."

Frankie closed up her office and took her husband's hand as they walked towards the dance studio.

Cho smiled when she saw her daughter and son-in-law enter the studio and sit down at the back.

Hannah on the other hand had not seen them. She concentrated on making the perfect turn.

"Excellent, Hannah," Cho observed. "Great posture."

Hannah blushed. "Thank you."

"Emma?" Cho called out. "Pay attention, love."

"Okay," Emma did a twirl.

Frankie and Will smiled as they watched their niece do her own version of the routine.

"Emma," Cho said. "You have to do what the other girls are doing."

"Kay," Emma replied.

Will and Frankie watched the rest of the class and it wasn't until the end that Hannah noticed them.

Hannah grinned and ran toward them.

"Hi baby," Frankie scooped her up.

Hannah put her arms around Frankie's neck. "I missed you!"

"I always miss you," Frankie kissed her cheek.

"Hi, Daddy!" Hannah waved.

"Hey sweetheart," Will smiled at her.

"You did such a great job," Frankie said.

"Grandma told me I had good posture," Hannah said.

"I heard," Frankie said beaming at her.

Hannah giggled. "I think we should celebrate."

"She just wants an excuse to get pizza," Will teased.

Hannah blushed.

"I'll call my mum and tell her to keep the twins a little longer," Will said. "And we'll take her out for pizza."

"Yay!" Hannah said happily. "Thanks Daddy!"

Frankie smiled. "Let's go and get you packed up."

Hannah nodded. "I'll change really fast, I promise."

"That's my girl," Frankie said setting her daughter down. "We'll be waiting."

Hannah rushed into the dressing room. "Mummy and Daddy are taking me for pizza," she told Emma.

Emma grinned. "Lucky!"

"I'll have a big piece just for you," Hannah promised.

Emma giggled. "And breadsticks!"

"And extra cheese," Hannah grinned.

Emma patted her stomach. "Now, I'm hungry."

"I bet your mummy makes you something good for dinner too," Hannah pulled her jumper over her head.

"She always does," Emma said happily.

"See you tomorrow," Hannah said.

"Bye, Hannah," Emma said waving at her.

"I'm ready!" Hannah announced.

Will smiled. "Two minutes. That's got to be a record."

Hannah giggled. "Well if there's pizza..."

"Kind of speeds things up, doesn't it?" Will finished for her.

"Yes," Hannah nodded, taking his hand.

"Your mummy and I have something to talk to you about when we get to the restaurant," Will told her.

"Did I do something bad?" Hannah asked.

Frankie shook her head. "No, you didn't, sweetheart. You didn't do anything bad."

"Okay," Hannah looked relieved.

They arrived at the pizza place a few moments later and sat down at their favourite booth in the back.

"I want my regular," Hannah said.

"Me too," Frankie grinned.

"And I'll have the mushroom ravioli," Will said.

The waitress took their order and then brought out their drinks. Frankie did not even know where to begin on how to tell her daughter about Mallory.

"Sweetheart," Will said. "Remember that lady from the party after the Quidditch match?"

"Sort of," Hannah replied grabbing a breadstick from the basket.

"Well..." Will looked at his wife. "She's your aunt."

Hannah looked at him. "What?"

"She's your mother's sister," Frankie said quietly.

"You have another sister?" Hannah asked, confused.

"No baby," Frankie said. "Abbie had a sister."

"My first Mummy?" Hannah asked.

Will and Frankie both nodded.

Hannah looked thoughtfully back at her parents. "Where is she?"

"She's in London," Will told her.

"Here?" Hannah asked..

"She'd like to see you," Frankie managed.

"She would?" Hannah asked uncertainly.

"If you'd like," Will added.

Hannah pondered this for a moment. "Okay."

"You want to?" Frankie was surprised.

Hannah nodded. "If she was my mummy's sister..."

"Okay," Will said. "We'll take you to meet her on Saturday."

"You'll be with me the whole time, right?" Hannah asked.

"Absolutely," Frankie nodded.

Hannah was still shy when it came to meeting strangers and she was glad her parents would be there with her.

Frankie rubbed her shoulders. "We wouldn't leave you alone, baby."

"Thanks, Mummy," Hannah said.

Frankie shared a look with Will. They were both surprised Hannah had agreed so readily.

"What's she like?" Hannah asked after a moment.

"I don't know, sweetheart," Will said.

"I wonder if she's anything like my mummy was," Hannah said taking another breadstick from the basket. "I wonder if she likes to garden too and if she liked chocolate ice cream."

"I'm sure you'll find out," Frankie said.

Hannah liked the idea of meeting someone who knew her mother. It scared her that she didn't remember things as clearly as she once did.

"Maybe I can ask her questions about my real mummy," Hannah ventured.

Frankie knew Hannah didn't mean to hurt her feelings, but those words had cut her.

"Is that okay?" Hannah asked when neither of her parents said anything.

"Sure," Frankie said forcing a smile. "I'm sure she'd love to answer your questions."

Hannah nodded. "I don't really remember my real mummy that much anymore."

"You were really young when she died," Will reassured her.

"I'm going to go the loo," Frankie said quickly.

"Our food will be here in a minute," Will pointed out.

Frankie nodded. "I'll be right back..."

"Is she okay," Hannah asked her father.

"I'm sure she's fine," Will said patting her hand.

Frankie locked herself in the bathroom before either Will or Hannah could see the tears in her eyes. She couldn't explain why Mallory's appearance was bothering her so much.

Frankie wiped at her eyes. She and Will had worked so hard to adopt Hannah. Frankie had never in a million years thought anything or anyone would come along to threaten that.

She took a few deep breaths to calm herself and splashed a bit of water on her face. Frankie told herself it was silly to feel this way. Hannah loved both of them and she knew her daughter would never want to live elsewhere.

Frankie walked out of the bathroom and back to their table. The food had already arrived.

"Everything okay?" Will asked her.

"Fine," Frankie nodded.

"I was telling Hannah that we'd be going to Puddlemere's first match," Will said.

"Right," Frankie nodded. "I can't believe new season's already started. We just finished holding tryouts for reserve Seeker while Saffron's out after she has the baby."

"Can Emma come with me?" Hannah asked.

"I think that can be arranged," Frankie nodded.

Hannah liked Quidditch, but she had to admit she and Emma didn't always pay attention the entire time.

The last time, for example, they had started talking about the princesses and what position they would be if they played Quidditch. Hannah smiled as she remembered how they'd said that Belle would be a keeper and Ariel would be a beater.

"I promised Allie and Jon we'd stop by the pub soon," Frankie was saying, jolting Hannah out of her daydream. "See how the new menu is."

Will smiled. "That'd be great."

"Maybe tomorrow night," Frankie said, picking at her meal.

The proprietor of the restaurant knew the Barrons well and he came out and asked Hannah if she'd like to help him make a dessert pizza. Hannah looked at Frankie. "Can I?"

"Sure," Frankie smiled at her. "Go ahead."

Hannah took a bite of her pizza before hurrying off to the kitchen.

Will looked at Frankie. "You know she didn't mean what she said."

Frankie pushed her salad around her plate. "I don't know what's wrong with me."

"You are her mother and she loves you," Will reassured her.

"I know," Frankie sighed. "It doesn't bother me that she wants to remember Abbie. I just... I'm just worried about this Mallory and what her plans are."

"We can ask her when we ring her," Will said. "Make sure that she knows that we're her parents and we're not going to give her up."

Frankie nodded. "I think that's a good idea."

Will reached for her hand. "It's going to be fine."

Frankie squeezed his hand. "Always my optimist."

"One of the many reasons you love me," Will said with a grin.

"Of course," Frankie leaned over and kissed him.

"You taste like garlic," Will teased. "But, I don't mind.'

"Well you have mushroom breath," Frankie retorted playfully.

"Mrs. Barron you are going to pay for that," Will said kicking her foot under the table.

"I have heels on, Mr. Barron," Frankie reminded him. "I could pin your foot to the floor."

Will grimaced. "Truce?"

Frankie laughed. "Truce."

Hannah came back a few minutes later carrying a small tray. "Dessert pizza."

"You made that?" Frankie asked.

Hannah nodded proudly. "And I made blueberry because that's your favourite."

Any doubts Frankie might have had about Hannah preferring Mallory melted away. "I can't wait to try it, baby."

Hannah beamed at her.

"It smells fantastic," Will said. "I think we have a budding chef here."

Hannah giggled and sat back down beside her mother. Frankie gave her a hug.

"What's that for, Mummy?" Hannah asked.

"Just for being you," Frankie said. "I love you so much."

"I love you too, Mummy," Hannah said. "You, Daddy, Izzie and Nathan."

Frankie smiled at her. "Now let's try this pizza. Maybe we can take home a piece and let your sister and brother try it too."

Hannah grinned back at her. "I know they'd love it, too."

"Especially since you made it," Will replied.

Frankie took a bite of the pizza. "That's delicious, love."

Hannah glowed.

The Barrons finished their meal and headed over to Will's parents to pick up the twins.

"They're getting so big," Hannah said, skipping ahead of them. "I wish they could stay babies forever."

"We say the same about you, you know," Will called ahead to her.

Hannah giggled. "I haven't been a baby for a long time!"

"You'll always be my baby," Will said scooping her up and spinning her around.

Hannah giggled. "Make me fly!"

Will lifted her up over his head. "To the sky..."

Hannah squealed. "Higher!"

Frankie smiled as she followed behind them.

"She is getting so big," someone called out from behind her. Frankie turned and felt her breath catch in her throat. "Abbie..."

"I love hearing her laugh," Abbie said. "I didn't hear it enough when I was alive..."

"How..." Frankie asked.

"She hasn't had any nightmares in a long time," Abbie said softly.

Frankie shook her head wordlessly.

"You had a lot to do with that," Abbie said. "I can't thank you enough."

"I'd do anything for her," Frankie said softly.

Abbie looked at Frankie. "Would you give her up?"

"Never," Frankie answered.

"Mallory," Abbie said. "Mallory would be a good mother to her."

"Not as good as I am," Frankie said.

"I wanted her to find my little girl for such a long time," Abbie said. "And now she has..."

"She misses you, but she's our daughter now." Frankie said. "Mallory can't take her away."

"Frankie?" Will called out to her. "Frankie? What are you doing?"

Frankie jumped. "Uh... nothing." she looked around but Abbie was nowhere to be seen.

"Come on," Hannah urged. She rang her grandparents' doorbell.

Theodore opened it and grinned when he saw her. "Hannah Emily Barron, is that you?"

"Hi Grandpa!" Hannah said.

Theodore knelt down to give her a hug. "I'm glad you're here. Your brother and sister have been asking for you all day."

"They have?" Hannah asked brightly.

Isabelle crawled into the foyer and grinned at her sister. "Han..."

"Hi Izzie," Hannah crouched down. "Are you practising your walking?"

"She has," Theodore said, holding open the door for Will and Frankie.

"We brought you all a sample of the dessert pizza Hannah made," Will said holding out the box to his father.

"You made a pizza?" Ted asked.

Hannah nodded. "Mr. Capadora let me do it."

"Well I'm sure it's delicious," Ted grinned at her.

"Izzie, do you want pizza?" Hannah asked. "We'll have to give you a really small bite."

"Kay," Izzie looked up at her sister.

Hannah grinned. "Daddy, can we give her a bite now?"

He nodded. "A small one, just like you said."

Ted looked at his daughter-in-law. "Frankie? Are you okay? You look like you've just seen a ghost."

Frankie didn't want to admit that she had. "Just tired," she said in excuse.

"Abby has Nathan in the sitting room," Ted told her.

"Great," Frankie said. "I missed them today."

"They missed you, too," Ted said as they walked toward the sitting room. "And their big sister. They do love her so much."

Frankie smiled as she and Ted walked into the sitting room. Nathan's eyes lit up at the sight of his mother.

"Hi, little guy," Frankie said picking him up. "I missed you!"

"Ma!" Nathan grinned at her.

"They've both been really great today," Abby told her.

"Good," Frankie kissed Nathan's smooth little cheek. "Thank you so much for watching them."

"It was our pleasure," Abby said.

"Grandma, try some of my pizza," Hannah said.

"Okay," Abby said. Frankie followed them into the kitchen.

Hannah giggled. "Mummy, Izzie got some blueberry on her face!"

Frankie laughed. "So she did."

Izzie dipped her finger in her small piece and licked it off her finger. "Yummy!"

"Very yummy," Ted agreed.

Hannah took a small bite and handed it to her brother. "No mess, Nathan."

"Boo," Nathan said, picking up a blueberry.

Hannah giggled. "Boo-berry."

Nathan laughed too as he picked up the piece and tried to eat it.

Will came up behind Frankie and put his arms around her waist. "You okay? You've been quiet."

"I'm fine," Frankie said.

"This is our family," Will whispered in her ear.

"I know," Frankie said softly.

"Guess what, Grandma?" Hannah asked.

"What, love?" Abby asked.

"My mummy has a sister," Hannah told her.

"I know," Abby said. "She has two sisters, Chiaki and Allie."

Hannah shook her head. "My real mummy does."

"Oh," Abby said quietly.

"We... we were going to say something later," Frankie replied. "We're going to let Mallory have a supervised visit with Hannah soon."

Ted and Abby shared a look.

"It'll be fine," Will said. "We legally adopted her and no one can take her away from us."

Hannah dropped her fork and looked up at her mother. "She wants to take me away?"

"No," Frankie said. "No baby. And if she did, we'd never let that happen."

Hannah ran over to Frankie, and despite her dirty hands, wrapped her arms around her mother's waist.

"Sweetheart," Frankie said. "No one can take you away. Not ever."

"Promise?" Hannah asked.

"I promise," Frankie held out her pinky.

Hannah linked her finger with her mother's.

"See?" Frankie asked.

Hannah smiled. "I'm sorry I ruined your dress, Mummy."

"It's washable," Frankie said.

"Han!" Izzie squealed. "Bite?"

Hannah smiled. "Is it okay, Mummy?"

Frankie grinned. "It's okay."

"Another small bite," Hannah set it in front of her sister.

Frankie watched her children. She'd meant what she'd told Hannah. There was no way on earth Mallory would take her from them.

274. Chapter 274 A Potter Moves Out

Authors’ note: This one is full of Potters----Harry, Hermione, Julie, Ethan and Saffy. You get a couple of nice flashbacks also! We hope you enjoy!

"I think that's it," Saffron glanced around her empty bedroom. Everything she owned had been packed up and sent over to her and Andrew's new place.

She had been emotional all morning. This place had been her home since she was a baby. She knew every nook, every cranny, and every room like the back of her hand. There was the library where she'd spent hours reading. There was the ballroom where she'd danced on her father's feet and raced Ethan.

It didn't help that Hermione burst into tears whenever she came in the room. Harry had been helping, but now had made himself scarce.

She knew her parents were happy for her, but she also knew they were having a hard time letting go. Truth be told, Saffron was having a hard time, too. She wanted to be with Andrew more than anything, but this place was filled with so many memories.

"You ready, Saf?" Andrew appeared behind her.

Saffron nodded. "I think so. I just---I need to say goodbye to my parents."

He rubbed her arm. "It'll be okay, Saf. We're not moving far."

"I know," Saffron said wiping at her eyes. She looked around the room. "Where did Puddles go?"

"He's around here somewhere," Andrew put an arm around her.

"He's going to miss this place too," Saffron said leaning against him.

"Maybe we'll get him a buddy or something," Andrew suggested.

Saffron patted her stomach. "He'll have one."

Andrew grinned at her.

Downstairs, Hermione was trying to hold it together. She thought she would be old hat at this since she'd seen two children move out, but there was something different with this. Saffron was her baby.

"Hermione," Harry said. "You'll start me off again..."

"I--I can't help it," Hermione stammered.

Harry hugged his wife. "She's not moving far. That's what I keep telling myself."

"I can still remember bringing her home," Saffron sobbed into his shoulder.

"I know," Harry said reassuringly. "I remember that day like it was yesterday..."

The entire wizarding world was buzzing about the birth of the Minister's third child. Photographers and reporters had camped outside St. Mungos to get a photograph of the baby, but Harry had snuck his wife and family out of the hospital and they'd made it safely home.

"Greta!" Ethan called out. "We're home!"

Greta appeared from the kitchen. "Let me see her!"

Hermione smiled. "You're in luck. She's awake."

Greta sighed. "Look at that beautiful face!"

"Thanks," Nick said nudging Julie. "I usually prefer handsome, but..."

"I don't mean you, Nicholas, although you were a very handsome baby," Greta elbowed him.

Nick laughed. "She is cute, isn't she?"

"Let me hold her for a minute," Julie said, reaching for her baby sister. "Hello, Saffron Grace."

Saffron looked up at her with wide eyes.

"This is a big place," Julie said. "But, I have a feeling that you're going to love it."

Saffron cooed at her.

"What's the big deal?" Ethan asked. "She doesn't do anything but cry and sleep."

"So did you, little man," Harry reminded him.

"And make dirty nappies," Julie teased, winking at her brother. "You did a LOT of that."

Ethan stuck his tongue out at her. "I bet yours were worse."

Harry mussed his son's hair. "I thought you liked being a big brother."

"It's okay, I guess," he said,

"Do you want to hold her?" Julie asked him. "She doesn't bite. She doesn't have teeth yet..."

Ethan looked at her doubtfully.

"Sit down," Julie told him.

Ethan did. "Is she heavy?"

Julie shook her head. "She's light as a feather."

"Okay," Ethan took his baby sister carefully in his arms. Saffron stared up at him, her green eyes wide.

"I don't know if you remember me," Ethan said. "I'm your big brother, Ethan. I look like Dad, but I don't have glasses."

Hermione leaned against her husband. "Merlin, I'm tired."

"Do you want to lie down?" Harry asked, putting an arm around her.

"Not yet," Hermione said.

"Mum, she's smiling at me!" Ethan exclaimed.

Hermione laughed. "I bet she is, Ethan. She knows you're her big brother."

"So she's not too bad, is she?" Julie teased.

"I guess not," Ethan said. "I guess I just wish she was old enough to play games with."

"It won't be long before she's running around in the ballroom with you," Harry told him.

"We can race," Ethan said. "And I can teach her how to play football!"

"Just don't teach her how to fly," Hermione said, putting a hand to her heart.

At that, Saffron started to cry.

"See now that made her upset," Harry teased. "I bet you anything she'll love flying."

Hermione took her baby daughter from Ethan and patted her back in a soothing fashion. "My baby girl isn't going to touch a broom."

Saffron let out an ear piercing shriek.

Harry laughed. "You were saying, Hermione?"

"Don't even think about it," Hermione said.

Harry stood behind his wife and looked at his little girl who's face was tear-stained. "She can do whatever she wants and be whatever she wants to be."

"She's going to be on top of the world," Hermione said, gazing down at Saffron.

Hermione kissed her daughter's soft cheek.

"Hey Dad?" Ethan asked. "Can I make a fort in her room?"

"A fort?" Harry asked.

"Yeah," Ethan said. "You know, like blankets and stuff."

"I don't know, little man," Harry said. "Why do you want to do that?"

Ethan squirmed. "Just cause."

"If you let me help and you make sure you don't get too close to her crib," Harry said to his son.

"Okay," Ethan agreed.

"Let's go and show her the nursery," Harry said to Hermione.

"Okay," Hermione kissed Saffron's head. "We'll be right back."

Harry led the way upstairs. "You're right across from us, baby girl."

Saffron cooed again.

Hermione smiled down at her. "This is your first room."

Harry waved his hand and the room lit up.

"Your big sister, Julie, helped decorate this for you," Hermione told Saffron.

Saffron's eyes blinked and she yawned.

"You're sleepy too, eh?" Hermione asked. "I know the feeling..."

"Maybe she'd like a short kip," Harry said, carefully taking her from Hermione.

Hermione walked over to the crib and watched as Harry gently set her down.

"She's going to be a daddy's girl," Hermione said.

"She's already got me wrapped around her finger," Harry said looking down at their baby daughter.

"Me too," Hermione smiled as Saffron blinked her eyes closed.

"She's got my eyes, but she looks so much like you," Harry whispered.

"That's okay," Hermione said softly. "She has your smile."

Harry looked at her. "We can apologise to her for the messy hair."

"I'm sure it'll look beautiful on her," Hermione leaned against him.

"You should take a kip too," Harry said. "It's been a long two days for you."

Hermione nodded. "Have Jules and Nick stay for dinner and I'll be up in time to join you."

Harry gave her a kiss. "I love you, you know."

Hermione leaned her forehead against his. "I know. I'm so lucky."

"We both are," Harry said. "Three healthy, happy children."

Hermione nodded. "Three beautiful, healthy, happy children."

Ethan cleared his throat. "Dad? I'm ready to build my fort."

Harry chuckled. "She's kipping right now. We'll have to work on it later."

"Sleeping Saffy," Ethan rolled his eyes.

"I have an idea," Harry said, swinging him up. "We can draw some pictures."

"Of what?" Ethan asked curiously.

"Of your fort," Harry said. "Some blueprints."

Ethan grinned. "Really?"

"Sure," Harry nodded. "So we have an idea."

Ethan looked at his father. "I want to keep an eye on Saffy. You know, since she's little and can't defend herself."

Harry hid his smile. "Of course, little man."

Hermione gave her son a kiss on the cheek. "That's very sweet of you, Ethan."

Ethan turned red. "Yeah, yeah."

Harry tickled his son's side. "Let's go downstairs and let your mum and sister rest."

"Okay," Ethan said. "I'll go get some paper."

"You worked most of the afternoon on those blueprints," Hermione remembered. "And I remember he slept in there the first couple of nights so she wouldn't be afraid..."

"He's always looked out for her," Harry rubbed her shoulders.

Hermione nodded. "I've loved the time we've spent together in this house, but those were some of my favourites."

Andrew and Saffron appeared in the doorway. "I think I've got everything packed up." she was holding Puddles in her arms.

Harry turned and for an instant saw his daughter as a four-year old carrying a stuffed animal in one hand and a book in the other.

"You want me to read that book to you, baby?" Harry asked.

Saffron shook her head. "I can read it, Daddy. I can read it to you."

"You can read it to me?" Harry asked.

Saffron nodded and dropped her bear on the floor. "I know how."

Harry decided to humour her. "Okay, then. I guess its story time."

"Yay!" Saffron cheered happily. "Sit down, daddy!"

Harry sat down at the kitchen table and Saffron climbed on his lap.

"Okay," Saffron opened the book. "One day upon a time, there was a castle with a princess..."

Harry figured that she'd memorised that part since she'd heard the story so much. "You don't say," he said hiding a grin.

Saffron nodded. "And a dragon came to see her."

Harry smiled encouragingly and looked down at the picture illustrated on the page. His smile turned to a look of awe as his daughter continued to read. She was actually reading the words, not making it up as she went along. "Saffy---"

Saffron looked up at him.

"You've never read this before?" Harry asked her.

Saffron shook her head. "Grandma Ellie gave it to me today."

"Just today?" Harry asked. "You're really, really reading, baby?"

Saffron looked at him. "Daddy, you're being silly. Of course, I'm reading!"

"That's my big girl," Harry kissed the top of her head.

"I'm smart just like Mummy and Julie," Saffron said proudly.

"You certainly are," Harry told her.

Saffron beamed at him. "Can I have a puppy now?"

Harry laughed. "Not yet."

"I'd share my puppy with Ethan," Saffron promised. "But he can't go to school with him. Kay?"

"We'll see," Harry said.

"Ethan says 'we'll see' means 'never ever," Saffron said.

"Ethan has no clue," Harry said. "I don't know about a puppy right now, baby."

Saffron sighed and picked up the book again. She started to read and when they turned the page, she smiled. "That prince looks like you, Daddy!"

"So it does," Harry chuckled. "What does the princess look like?"

"Like Mummy," Saffron replied.

"I'd say that's pretty appropriate," Harry hugged her.

"I love you, Daddy," Saffron said.

"I love you too, baby." Harry replied.

"Hello?" Hermione called out from the sitting room.

Saffron grinned. "Mummy's home!"

"Want to read to her?" Harry asked.

"What?" Hermione asked setting her bag and briefcase down. Saffron held up her arms and Hermione picked her up and hugged her tightly. "Hi, baby!"

"I read to Daddy!" Saffron announced brightly.

"You did?" Hermione asked.

"A new book that your mum gave to her just today," Harry told his wife.

"I see," Hermione replied, thinking it was the same story Saffron already knew.

"Show her," Harry told Saffron.

"Okay," Saffron plopped the book down on the table and began to read from it.

Hermione gaped at her daughter.

Harry grinned. "She's good isn't she?"

"She is," Hermione said coming up behind her daughter. She put her hands on Saffron's shoulders as the little girl continued to read.

"...and they lived happily ever after," Saffron finished.

"That's incredible, baby." Hermione said, astonished. "When did you learn to read so well?"

"From you," Saffron said looking up at her mother. "When you read to me, I'd listen and match the words."

"What a smart girl," Hermione was nearly bursting with pride.

"I've been waiting to show you," Saffron told her.

Hermione kissed the top of her daughter's head. "You did wonderful, baby."

"Can I get a puppy now?" Saffron asked.

"Saffy!" Harry exclaimed.

"I know, I know," Saffron said. "We'll see."

Hermione smiled. "Later we'll check out another book."

Saffron hugged her. "I'm glad you're home, Mummy."

"I am too, baby." Hermione said. "And guess what?"

"What?" Saffron asked.

"I don't work tomorrow," Hermione hugged her.

Saffron squealed. "Yay!"

"We'll go to the bookstore," Hermione promised.

"Can we at least go and LOOK at the puppies?" Saffron pleaded. "Please?"

Hermione shook her head. "We can look, but don't think you're getting one. Not until you're older."

Saffron laughed as she held up Puddles. "I did finally get a puppy and I'm so glad I waited."

Hermione managed a smile. "He's the best one for you."

"That's who you're really going to miss," Saffron teased. "Dad, especially. He loved getting up in the middle of the night to let him out."

"Right," Harry said with only a hint of sarcasm.

Hermione looked at her daughter and felt a fresh set of tears well up in her eyes.

"Oh Mum," Saffron said. "That'll just get me started..."

"I'll take Pud outside," Andrew said, wanting to give them a moment.

"I'll be okay," Saffron said once Andrew had gone. "I will. I'll stop by all the time, and you both are always welcome."

"We know," Hermione said hugging her daughter. "But, this is so hard. You're my baby."

Saffron nodded.

"You'll know what this is like when your baby leaves home," Harry said.

Saffron patted her tummy. "This one is going to be with us forever."

"That's what we said about you," Harry told her.

Saffron gave her father a hug. "I'm going to miss you, Daddy."

"Anytime you need to come home, you know you can," Harry told her.

"I know," Saffron whispered. "I'll miss our midnight milkshakes."

"I'll be up if you ever want to join me," Harry grinned at her.

"It's a date," Saffron said.

Andrew came back in. "All ready?"

Saffron nodded wordlessly as tears streamed down her cheeks. She moved over to give her mother a hug. "Bye, Mummy."

Hermione hugged her tightly. "Take care, baby."

"I love you, guys," Saffron said before following Andrew out of the house.

Harry hugged Hermione tightly.

"I'm okay," Hermione said. "Just barely, but I'm okay. This house is too empty already."

"This big house and two people," Harry said patting his wife's back.

"We should close it off," Hermione said. "Just have one section where we live."

Harry nodded. "That would probably be best."

Hermione sighed. "I say we go out for dinner tonight. I don't feel like making anything."

"And you don't want to be alone in this big house," Harry said squeezing her hand.

"Not right now," Hermione answered.

"Where do you want to go?" Harry asked her.

"Surprise me," Hermione told him.

Harry gave her a kiss. "I'll make reservations, then."

He left his wife alone and Hermione decided to walk down to the ballroom.

She stopped just inside and gazed around. This room held so many memories of special functions, and even memories of not so special functions.

The first night she and her family had moved in here came to mind. Julie was about to enter her last year at Hogwarts and Ethan was about to turn five. The house had been a complete mess with movers, friends, family and colleagues milling about trying to help the new Minister and her family move in. It was nearing ten when everyone left.

"Jules!" Ethan called out to his sister. Julie walked down the hall and saw her little brother cuddled up in his bed.

"Are you scared, little man?" Julie asked him.

"No," Ethan lied.

Julie sat down on the edge of his bed. "How about you and I go exploring?"

"Exploring?" he asked doubtfully.

Julie nodded. "This is going to be our home, right? We didn't really get a chance to take it all in. Besides, I have no idea where mum and dad are."

"Maybe we could pretend we're Aurors and we have to find them," Ethan said, growing enthusiastic.

Julie grinned. "Okay, Auror Potter. Your mission, if you choose to accept it, is to find your father..."

"And yours, Auror Potter, is to find your mum," Ethan laughed.

Julie shook his hand. "Let's go."

Ethan followed his sister out. "Where do we start?"

"I say we start in the ballroom," Julie said thoughtfully.

"Okay," Ethan agreed. "I think it's this way..."

Julie nodded and took his hand. "You miss the cottage, don't you?"

"A little," he said.

"I bet we could fit 10 of the cottages in this big house," Julie said thoughtfully.

"We should ask Mum to try," Ethan said mischievously.

Julie laughed. "Ethan."

"Kidding!" he said, running ahead.

Julie ran ahead of him, but stopped when she heard music coming from somewhere. "Ethan!" Julie called out to him. "Do you hear that?"

"Yeah..." Ethan said. "I think that's the ballroom!"

"I think we've got 'em," Julie grinned taking his hand. "Be very quiet..."

Julie and Ethan crept silently to the large doors leading into the ballroom.

Julie heard her mother's laughter.

"Please, Harry," Hermione scoffed. "It's been years, but I think I still remember the routine."

"Then let's see it," Harry said. He waved his hand and the music changed.

"It's not the same," Hermione said grinning at him. "I mean, you're not yelling at me and barking orders like you did back then..."

"I wasn't THAT bad," Harry said. "Besides, there was a lot on the line and YOU had never danced before."

"And we kept telling you that you were a capable teacher," Hermione reminded him.

"What are they talking about?" Ethan whispered to his sister.

"When Mum and Dad met, he taught her a dance that they had to do at a hotel," Julie told her brother.

"Oh," Ethan said watching as his parents danced together. "Mummy's really good!"

"They both are," Julie watched them wistfully.

"Watch your frame," Hermione teased her husband. "Look at that...spaghetti arms...spaghetti arms..."

Harry surprised her by lifting her high above his head.

"Whoa!" Ethan gasped.

"Put me down!" Hermione laughed. "Harry James!"

"What's that?" Harry asked, pretending not to hear her. "Spin you around?"

"You're going to drop me!" Hermione said.

"What do you think, Ethan?" Harry suddenly called out. "Do you think I'll drop her?"

Ethan and Julie looked at each other.

"A good Auror always knows when he's being watched," Harry called out to them. "What do you say, Ethan?"

"How did you know?" Ethan asked in astonishment. "We were so quiet!"

Harry laughed. "I told you. A good Auror always knows..."

"That's why I want to be one," Ethan said. "I want to know that stuff!"

Julie and Ethan walked into the ballroom.

Hermione patted Harry on the arm. "Hello? Care to put me down?"

"Sorry," Harry said, setting her back on the floor.

"You're supposed to be in bed, little man," Hermione told her son. "It's late."

"Not that late," Ethan said. "And I didn't know where you were!"

"It was my idea, Mum," Julie covered for her little brother. "I was bored straightening my room and I heard Ethan was awake so I asked him to go exploring with me."

Ethan gave his sister a grateful smile.

Julie put her arm around him. "And it is summer hols after all."

"That's true," Harry said thoughtfully. "I guess having a lie in won't be so bad."

"I know this place isn't like the cottage, but we can make it a home," Hermione told them.

"I wish we could have kept the cottage," Julie said.

"This place is too big," Ethan complained.

"I know it's different," Hermione said. "But we'll have to get used to it. Every Minister lives here."

"It's just going to take some getting used to," Julie said.

"That's right," Hermione put an arm around her daughter.

"What dance were you doing with Mummy, Dad?" Ethan asked.

"An old dance we did when we first met," Harry told his son.

"Aurors shouldn't dance, should they?" Ethan asked.

"Aurors can do whatever they want, little man." Harry said.

"I'm going to be just like you, Dad," Ethan announced.

"Then you've got to learn to dance," Harry said.

Ethan shook his head. "No way."

Harry laughed. "Come on little man."

Hermione took his hand. "I'll show you how it's done, Ethan James. Come here..."

"Do I have to?" Ethan whined.

"You did say you wanted to be JUST like your Dad," Hermione said.

Ethan squirmed. "I guess..."

Hermione started the music again and Ethan reluctantly watched her to through the moves.

Julie stood beside her father. "He was a little scared being in this big house. I just wanted to take his mind off of it."

"That's good of you Jules," Harry said.

Julie smiled. "He's my little brother."

"He really looks up to you," Harry said.

Julie laughed. "Dad, he looks up to YOU. He just thinks I'm cool."

Harry chuckled. "He is too much."

"Come on, Old Man," Julie said with a grin. "Show me this dance."

"I can do that," Harry said, taking her hand.

Julie smiled at him as they danced. "Dad?"

"Yeah?" Harry asked.

"I've been thinking about what I want to do after I finish Hogwarts," Julie said thoughtfully.

"What are you thinking?" Harry asked.

"I'd like to teach," Julie replied.

"That's good, Jules," Harry said encouragingly.

"I'd like to teach Muggle children," Julie said. She bit her lip not knowing how to approach this with her father.

"Really?" Harry asked.

Julie nodded. "I---I'm the daughter of two of the most famous people in our world, Dad. I just---I want to do something that I earned on my own. I want to make my own way."

Harry smiled at her. "I think that's great, Jules."

"Really?" Julie asked. "I was worried that you'd be offended. I mean, I love being your daughter, Dad. I'm so proud of you and Mum and what you've both accomplished."

"And we're proud of you," Harry told her. "Don't ever forget that."

Julie gave him a hug. "Thanks, Dad."

Harry came up behind his wife. "This place will be lively again. Saffy's wedding will be in here."

Hermione turned and smiled at him. "She's going to love that."

Harry rubbed her shoulders. "Come on, we should get ready."

Hermione leaned against him. "Okay."

"We don't have to stay here, after the wedding you know," Harry said. "I'm sure the Ministry won't object to us moving."

Hermione looked at him in surprise. "Where?"

"We could find a smaller place," Harry shrugged.

"Maybe," Hermione said putting her arms around him.

Harry kissed the side of her head. "Let's take a shower."

"Mr. Potter, what are you suggesting?" Hermione asked.

"Something that I know will get your mind off all this." Harry said softly.

Hermione grinned. "You want to take advantage of the empty nest.'

"We can be as loud as we want," Harry suggested.

Hermione nudged him. "Harry!"

"It's the truth," he said.

"I guess that's one advantage," Hermione said with a grin.

Harry smiled at her. "And no more three am runs with Puddles."

"You know you're going to miss him," Hermione said.

"Not really," Harry said.

"Well," Hermione said as he led the way upstairs. "We've come full circle. We started out together and now we're back here...together. We raised three children..."

Harry nodded. "Become grandparents..."

Hermione turned and gave him a lingering kiss. "I love you, you know."

"I know," Harry said, brushing his lips over hers. "I love you too. Always have."

"Always will," Hermione whispered.

At their new flat, Andrew and Saffron were trying to get settled. Their new place was cluttered with boxes and Puddles seemed to be running all over trying to get used to his new surroundings.

"No baby," Saffron said. "Your bed is over here."

Andrew set the last box down. "I think that's the last of it. Now, we just have to decide where to put it all. Or…you tell me where YOU want it all."

Saffron smiled at him. "I think the we part works just fine."

"You aren't doing any heavy lifting," Andrew told her. "I mean it..."

"I'll be fine," Saffron said.

Andrew knelt down and put his hands on her stomach. "Will you please tell your mum to not be so stubborn? Tell her that your old man knows best."

"Very funny," Saffron pushed his hands away. "Who says we need to lift anything?"

Andrew grinned. "You gotta love magic at times like this."

"Exactly," Saffron said. "We can have this place unpacked in an hour."

Andrew put his arms around her. "I can't believe we're actually doing this."

"What, moving in?" she asked.

Andrew nodded.

"For me it's a dream come true," Saffron told him.

"Me too," Andrew said giving her a kiss.

"McDreamy," Saffron said, laughing.

Andrew rolled his eyes. "I better get Mc-Moving on unpacking. How about you order us some takeaway?"

"Sure," Saffron replied. "Curry?"

"Sounds perfect," Andrew said.

Saffron pecked him on the lips and went to go order their food.

Andrew used his wand to levitate three boxes toward the bedroom.

Puddles barked excitedly and ran around in circles.

"Come on you little devil," Andrew chuckled.

Puddles jumped up, his tongue hanging out of his mouth while his tail wagged.

"Andrew!" Saffron called out excitedly. "Come here! Quick!"

"What?" Andrew rushed into the room.

"The baby's kicking again," Saffron said grinning at him.

"It is?" Andrew asked, reaching out.

Saffron guided his hand. "Feel right there."

"Hey," Andrew grinned.

"It's amazing, isn't it?" Saffron grinned back at him.

"Yeah," Andrew grinned. "That's our baby in there."

Saffron felt tears well up in her eyes at his words. He had no idea how much it meant to her when he said 'our baby'.

Andrew gave her a kiss. "It's okay, Saf."

Saffron nodded. "I know..."

"I sent some boxes into our room," Andrew told her. "The rest I think are for the sitting room."

"You know," Saffron said. "You never know how much stuff you have until you have to pack and unpack it."

"Tell me about it," Andrew said. "Perhaps it's a good time to get rid of some of it."

Saffron shook her head. "I don't know if you know this about me, but I'm a bit of a pack rat. I have separation issues."

"That's okay," he said, nuzzling her.

Saffron giggled. "Which is one of the reasons I get the bigger closet."

"You can have anything you want," he told her.

"Famous last words," Saffron grinned. The doorbell chimed and Andrew pecked her on the cheek. "I'll be right back."

He grinned when he opened the door to see Alexa and RJ.

"What are you two doing here?" Andrew asked.

"We are your two best friends," RJ said. "And we wanted to be your first official visitors."

"We could use some help unpacking," Andrew joked.

RJ looked at Alexa. "Told you we should waited about an hour."

"It won't take us long," Alexa shook her head. "Honestly."

"Saf's in the kitchen," Andrew told her.

"I'll go help her," Alexa said.

"If she's ordering food, get double," RJ called out to her.

"I'll pass it along," Alexa returned.

Alexa walked into the kitchen just as Saffron was looking over a menu.

"Hey, Mum-to-Be," Alexa said.

"Lexie!" Saffron exclaimed.

Alexa grinned and gave her a hug. "How are you doing?"

"Good," Saffron said. "I was just ordering some curry for me and Andrew."

"You might want to triple the order," Alexa said. "RJ came with me."

"Oh no," Saffron shook her head but she grinned.

Alexa laughed. "You know how he is."

Saffron nodded. "We wouldn't have him any other way."

Alexa sat down. "So, I can imagine today's been emotional for you. How are your parents?"

"I think they were okay," Saffron said.

"My mum gets teary every time I bring up moving out," Alexa said.

"You're moving halfway across the world," Saffron said. "I'm going to get teary as well."

"You still have me for at least another month," Alexa said smiling reassuringly at her.

"Good," Saffron said. "I'll order the food then maybe we can put this room together."

"Deal," Alexa grinned.

It only took the two girls fifteen minutes to set up the kitchen the way Saffron wanted it.

"We make a great team," Alexa said proudly.

"We always have," Saffron hugged her.

Saffron took Alexa's hand. "Come on. There's something I want to ask you and RJ together."

"Okay," Alexa followed her into the sitting room.

"Hiya, Saf," RJ grinned at her.

"Hey," Saffron gave him a hug. "I ordered you extra Nan."

"I love you," RJ said.

"I know," she said with a grin. "You guys did a good job in here."

"So you're not going to want me to change anything around?" Andrew teased.

"Not yet," Saffron replied.

"So," Andrew said. "Saf and I are really glad you both are here. We wanted to ask you something."

"What's up?" RJ asked.

"Well, we'd like to ask if you'd be the baby's godparents," Saffron said.

Alexa squealed. "I'd love to be the godmother!"

"So would I," RJ said with a grin. "That baby's got to have a good influence around."

"Which is why we have Alexa to balance things out," Saffron said dryly.

"Thanks," RJ said sarcastically.

Alexa gave Saffron a hug. "I'm so honoured, Saffy."

"You're the only person I'd think of asking," Saffron told her.

"Did you ever find out what you were having?" RJ asked.

Saffron shook her head. "The way the baby is turned, they weren't able to tell."

"If it's a girl, we're going to name her after Saf's grandmother," Andrew told them. "And if it's a boy, after her grandfather."

"That's lovely," Alexa said.

Saffron put a hand on her tummy. "They both meant so much to me."

"I'm sure they would both love that." Alexa told her.

"You know," RJ said. "You could use "Ronald" for a middle name."

"We want our child to be able to hold his head high," Andrew punched his friend.

"Robert Ronald Kirke," Alexa said thoughtfully. "No...I'm not seeing it."

"Yuck," Saffron made a face.

"It was only an idea, Spice Girl," RJ said throwing a ball of crumpled paper at her.

"Okay, Cassandra," Saffron returned.

"Where's that food?" RJ said changing the subject.

"I just ordered it," Saffron said. "Probably be here in another five minutes or so."

RJ opened another box and pulled out a Wimbourne blanket. "Okay, this is headed for the rubbish bin."

"Ugh!" Saffron laughed.

"Come on," Andrew said grabbing it from RJ.

"It's ugly," RJ said bluntly. "Saf, where's your Puddlemere one?"

"In the bedroom," Saffron said.

"Wait a minute--" Andrew said.

"You lot can let him have one blanket, can't you?" Alexa asked.

"Yes," Andrew yanked it away from RJ. "Come on you guys. It's my team."

"You can have the blanket," Saffron relented.

"I'm going to put it in the bedroom too," Andrew said, leaving the room.

Saffron got up to help him leaving RJ and Alexa in the sitting room.

"So, how are things at the pub?" Alexa asked him.

"Interesting..." RJ said. "I think Jon's about ready to kill Josh."

"That bad?" Alexa asked.

"Josh is just trying to take over too much too fast, and he's not talking with Jon about anything." RJ said. "And Jon's just getting pissed off."

"How's Audrey handling all of that drama?" Alexa asked looking through a box of Saffron's books.

"She's just trying to stay out of it." RJ replied. "Both her and Allie."

"And what about Becca?" Alexa asked.

"I try not to bother with her," RJ muttered.

"Good idea," Alexa said. She looked at him. "Can I ask you something?"

"Sure," he said.

"Do you know anything about American football?" Alexa asked. "Apparently my university and Gabe's are big rivals and they play against each other...and know absolutely nothing about it. I tried to watch a game with him once and it's just a bunch of blokes running after a ball and trying to knock each other down."

"Not a lot," RJ said sheepishly.

Alexa threw a pillow at him. "And here I was thinking you'd help me out."

"I'll ask some of my mates," RJ promised. "And get back to you."

"Thank you, Mr. Weasley," Alexa grinned. "You know I just might miss you."

"Sure you will," RJ grinned back.

Alexa was glad that she and RJ had found a way to be friends after all that had happened between them. He would always have a special place in her heart as he had been her first love. But, things had worked out how they'd supposed to. They hadn't ended up together, but they were friends. It meant a great deal to her.

"I am very miss-able," RJ said.

"Oh yes," Alexa said dramatically. "How will I ever go on without seeing you and your fabulousness on a daily basis?"

"I should make a video that you can take with you," RJ replied. "To watch every day."

"Or I could just buy one of those posters of you on your broom and put it in my dorm," Alexa said thoughtfully.

RJ nodded. "Excellent idea, Lexie."

The doorbell chimed and Alexa shook her head as she stood up. "That should be the food."

"Even more excellent," RJ said. "I can dig in before Andrew and Saffron realise it's here."

"RJ," Alexa laughed.

Saffron was already at the door, paying when RJ came into the corridor. "Here, you can take this," she handed one bag to him. "And don't eat it!"

"How did you get here first?" RJ asked.

"Magic," Saffron retorted.

"Why didn't I think of that?" RJ asked.

"Well that and I'm eating for two, and starving," Saffron admitted.

"Playing the baby card, eh?" RJ asked following her into the kitchen.

"You try being pregnant," Saffron set the other bag on the counter.

"I think I'll pass," RJ said dryly.

Saffron brought down some plates. "I got some pumpkin juice in the icebox, if you don't mind getting that. Andrew put some butterbeer in there too."

"I've got it," Andrew said coming into the kitchen.

"Thanks," Saffron smiled at him.

"My pleasure," Andrew said giving her a quick kiss.

"None of that mushy stuff," RJ said. "I'm getting ready to eat here."

Andrew laughed. "Okay, RJ. No more mushy stuff."

Saffron set the plates and glasses on the table then brought the containers over. "Lexie!"

Alexa came into the kitchen followed by Puddles. "I'm starving."

"I'll get the kibble for Puddles," Andrew said.

After the emotional day Saffron had, she was glad that Alexa and RJ had stopped by. She'd needed a nice evening like this with her two best friends and the man she loved.

275. Chapter 275 The Meeting with Mallory

Authors’ note: This chapter is all Hannah/Frankie/Will. We hope you enjoy and ask that you please take a moment after reading to leave a review and let us know what you think!

Frankie spent that morning fighting off what she amounted to be a panic attack. They had agreed to let Mallory visit with Hannah and were meeting her in an hour at a nearby restaurant.

"Mummy?" Hannah called out from her bedroom. "Mummy, have you seen my purple jumper?"

"It's in the closet," Frankie replied.

Hannah appeared in the doorway. "I can't reach it. It's on the top!"

Frankie turned and looked blankly at her daughter. "What?"

"My jumper," Hannah replied. "It's on the top shelf. I can't reach it."

"Oh," Frankie replied. "I'll get it for you."

"Thanks," Hannah said gratefully. "Daddy's having trouble getting Izzie dressed. She keeps crawling away from him!"

Frankie managed a smile.

Hannah followed her into her room. "I'm glad that they're going to meet her too."

"Right," Frankie said, reaching for her daughter's jumper.

"Ha!" Izzie exclaimed as she crawled into Hannah's room. Hannah laughed and walked over to her sister. "Iz, you're fast!"

"HA!" Isabelle crowed happily.

"Where is she?" Will asked. "Where is the little exhibitionist?"

"She's in my room, Daddy!" Hannah called out.

Will came to the door shaking his head.

Hannah laughed at the expression on his face. "She just wanted to see me, Daddy."

"You are her favourite," Will said dryly.

Hannah grinned. "Izzie, you have to let Daddy get you dressed so we can go out. You can't go in your nappy."

"Ha," Isabelle laughed at her.

Hannah took her sister's hand. "Come on. I'll help you."

Hannah carefully tugged her sister to her feet and helped her walk out of the room.

Will looked over at his wife, who was hugging Hannah's jumper to her. "Frankie?"

"Hmm?" Frankie asked.

"How are you holding up?" Will asked her.

"I don't know," Frankie said. "I'm terrified right now."

Will put his arms around her. "It's just a meeting. That's all."

Frankie nodded.

"She's our daughter and nothing and no one can change that," Will said holding her tightly.

"Right," Frankie forced herself to think positively.

Hannah helped get Isabelle dressed and ready and it wasn't long before the Barrons set off for the restaurant.

"I want to push them in their stroller!" Hannah said excitedly.

Will smiled. "Okay, love."

Frankie laughed as Hannah stretched her arms to take the double wide stroller.

"Hold on, Izzie and Nathan!" Hannah announced in a dramatic voice. "You are about to go on the ride of your lives!"

"Just be careful, baby." Will said.

"I will," Hannah promised as her brother and sister laughed happily.

"They just love her," Frankie said, taking Will's hand.

"They do," Will said squeezing her hand.

"It's got to stay this way." Frankie said.

"It will," Will said to her as they followed behind. He decided to ask his wife something else to distract her. "So, Brian said that Darla was due any day now."

Frankie nodded. "That's what Maddie told me."

"I imagine she's ready," Will said thoughtfully.

"I know I was," Frankie said. "Scared as hell, but ready."

Will squeezed her hand. "And look at you now..."

Frankie grinned at him.

They arrived at the restaurant to find Mallory was already waiting. Frankie had never felt less like eating in her entire life.

"Hello," Mallory said standing up. "I know I'm early, but I was really excited."

Will held his hand out. "It's nice to see you again."

"You too," Mallory said shaking his hand. She looked at Frankie. "Hello."

"Hi," Frankie said.

Mallory turned her attention to the little girl standing beside Frankie. "Hi, Hannah. I'm your Aunt Mallory."

"Hi," Hannah said shyly.

"You look just like your mother," Mallory said kneeling down.

"That's what mummy and daddy say," Hannah said, still feeling shy.

"Shall we sit down?" Frankie suggested.

"I reserved us a table," Mallory said. "Just over here."

"Great," Will said pushing the stroller. Hannah looked up at Frankie uncertainly.

"Come on, baby," Frankie said, running her hand over Hannah's brown hair.

Hannah nodded. "You'll sit beside me?"

"The whole time," Frankie promised.

Hannah walked with her mother to the table. She noticed that there were photo albums on the table. "What are those?"

"I don't know," Frankie replied. "Probably something Mallory brought..."

Hannah sat down across from Mallory.

"Hannah, I brought these here so you could see some pictures of your mother when she was younger," Mallory told her.

"Oh," Hannah replied eagerly. "I'd like that!"

"Hannah's neighbours before she lived with us were nice enough to salvage some photos of Abbie before everything was repossessed," Will told Mallory. "Hannah keeps them in her bedside table."

Mallory smiled. "I'd love to see those."

"Perhaps sometime soon," Frankie said, noncommittally

Mallory opened up the photo album. "This is your mum when she was your age."

"I look just like her!" Hannah exclaimed.

Mallory grinned. "I told you so. You see that dress she's in there...that was her favourite dress."

"She was so pretty," Hannah said softly.

Mallory felt tears well up in her eyes. "Yes, she was."

"I'm sorry to make you cry," Hannah said anxiously.

Mallory reached across the table and patted Hannah on the arm. "It's okay, sweetheart. I'm just---I'm very happy to have found you."

Frankie bit her lower lip.

Hannah turned the page and smiled. "You had a garden!"

"Yes we did," Mallory nodded.

"Mummy and I had a nice garden," Hannah remembered. "We worked on it when Daddy wasn't home and we had flowers and vegetables."

"Sunflowers?" Mallory asked.

Hannah nodded.

"Those were your mum's favourite," Mallory said.

The waiter came over to the table and took their order.

"Can I get my own pizza here?" Hannah asked her father.

"They don't have pizza here," Will told her. "But you can have a cheeseburger or a club sandwich with chips."

"Oh," Hannah said. "Okay."

"I'm going to have the chicken Caesar salad," Frankie said to the waiter. "And a sparkling water."

"I'll have a cheeseburger with everything but pickles," Hannah placed her own order.

Mallory grinned. "Your mother hated pickles, too."

"I only eat them sometimes," Hannah admitted.

"She likes them when I make her a turkey and cheese sandwich," Will told Mallory. "But she only has them on the side, never in the sandwich."

"They taste yucky in there," Hannah made a face.

Mallory grinned and looked at the waiter. "I'll have the club sandwich."

"Very good," the waiter replied. "I'll have that for you soon."

"So," Hannah said. "What was my mummy like when she was little?"

"She liked to read," Mallory said. "All the time."

Hannah grinned. "She liked to read to me."

"I bet she did," Mallory said. "She'd read to me too."

"Did you have any pets?" Hannah asked.

"We used to have a dog," Mallory told her.

"Really?" Hannah asked.

"A beagle," Mallory nodded.

"I have a puppy," Hannah said, launching into a story about Belle. She didn't notice the worried look Frankie was shooting Will.

Will patted his wife's hand reassuringly.

"And now you're a big sister," Mallory said to Hannah.

Hannah nodded. "I love being a big sister so much."

"Nathan and Isabelle, right?" Mallory asked motioning to the two toddlers.

Hannah nodded.

"They love Hannah very much," Frankie said looking pointedly at Mallory. "Very, very much."

Mallory looked slightly taken aback. "I... I'm sure they do."

"They like it when I sing to them," Hannah told Mallory. "And Nathan likes to pull on my hair. Izzie crawls so fast, but she's getting really good at walking, too."

"Hannah's been teaching them," Will told Mallory.

"I can see how proud you are of her," Mallory said. "And you've done a great job raising her."

"Thank you," Will said.

"The social worker said that you took quite a shine to Hannah while she was in foster care," Mallory commented.

"We liked each other," Frankie recalled. "She opened up to me when she wouldn't talk to anyone else."

"That's great," Mallory said. "I'm glad that she had someone..."

"Where were you?" Hannah asked Mallory.

"I live in America," Mallory told her. "I've been looking for my sister for quite some time. Your dad...he kind of kept her away from me."

"I hate him," Hannah said vehemently.

"I do too," Mallory said. "But he's never going to hurt you again. I promise."

"I know," Hannah said. "Both Mummy and Daddy promised that too."

"We'd never let anything happen to Hannah," Frankie told Mallory.

"I know," Mallory said quickly.

Hannah grinned when she saw a photograph of her mother with Mallory. The two girls were sitting on Santa's lap.

"I remember that day," Mallory said. "I spilled on my sweater- my jumper, sorry, and she let me wear hers."

Hannah beamed at her. "That was nice!"

"That's how Abbie was," Mallory said softly.

"I hope I'm the same way with my little sister," Hannah said looking fondly at her baby sister who was starting to nod off.

"I'm sure you will be," Mallory reached over and squeezed Hannah's hand.

Hannah smiled and regaled Mallory with stories about Isabelle and Nathan. Their food arrived and Frankie picked up her knife to half Hannah's cheeseburger, but Mallory beat her to it. "This will make it easier for you to eat," Mallory said kindly.

"Thanks," Hannah smiled at her. Frankie pressed her lips together but said nothing.

"So how do you like your school?" Mallory asked.

"I love it," Hannah said.

"She's doing really well," Will said proudly.

"I got full marks on my last exam," Hannah said.

Mallory held out her hand and Hannah slapped her five. "That's my girl!" Mallory exclaimed proudly.

Frankie opened her mouth to say something when Will gave a tiny shake to his head.

Frankie picked up Nathan. "I'm going to go change him. I'll be right back..."

"He didn't smell like he had a bad nappy," Hannah said.

Frankie let out a hollow laugh as she grabbed her bag with her free hand. She took Nathan around the corner and pulled out her mobile. She dialled Allison's number. "Allie, I need you to just listen for a moment..."

"What?" Allison asked. "Frankie?"

"I'm at lunch with Abbie Wright's sister and Hannah," Frankie explained. "And this woman...she has some nerve! I know she lost her sister and I feel sorry for her, but I'm Hannah's mother!"

"What's she doing?" Allison asked.

Nathan squirmed in Frankie's arms. "She's cutting her sandwich and just making me feel completely obsolete!"

"I'm sure she doesn't mean it," Allison said reassuringly. "This is her first time meeting Hannah and I'm sure she's just as nervous as you are."

"Really?" Frankie asked uncertainly

"Of course," Allison said. "Just let her have this visit and she probably wont' bother you again."

"Okay," Frankie said. "Thanks, Allie."

"Good luck," Allison told her sister. "And I don't think you have anything to worry about. Hannah loves you."

"Thanks, Al," Frankie said gratefully. "I'll ring you afterwards."

"I'll talk to you later then," Allison said.

Frankie stuffed her phone back into her bag. She looked at her son. "We can do this, right?"

"Ma," Nathan said.

Frankie hugged him to her. "Let's go then."

"No dirty nappy," Frankie announced as they came back to the table. "False alarm."

Will took Nathan from his wife. "Hey, mate. Your twin here decided we were too boring to stay awake for. How are you doing?"

Nathan laughed. "Da!"

"Did I miss anything?" Frankie asked before taking a bite of her salad.

"We were just looking at more pictures," Hannah said, picking up her cheeseburger.

"I actually have some photos from Brighton in my bag," Frankie said. "You can show those to Mallory, Hannah."

Hannah brightened. "Cool!"

Frankie handed the envelope to Hannah.

"Mummy, can you and Mallory change places?" Hannah asked. "That way she can see better."

"Sure..." Frankie said after a slight pause.

Frankie picked up her plate and stood up. Will smiled reassuringly at her as she sat back down. Mallory smiled at Hannah.

"This is me and my best friend, Emma," Hannah told Mallory. "We were on the beach."

"What a lovely photo," Mallory said, her hand on Hannah's shoulder.

Hannah giggled. "And this is me, Nathan and Izzie at the beach house. Mummy and me made a tent and I slept with the babies down there. It was so much fun!"

"It looks like you had a fun time," Mallory said wistfully.

"We had a blast," Hannah said. "Ooooh...and this one is of Mummy and me. That's not real mud on my face. Mummy said it was a mud masque and it makes our skin nice and soft."

Frankie smiled at the memory. "We had fun that day."

Hannah giggled. "And Daddy ate the cucumbers you wanted to put on your eyes!"

Frankie laughed. "Yes he did. We had to go buy more."

"I didn't know that was what they were for," Will said defensively. "Who puts cucumbers on their eyes?"

"All girls do," Frankie, Hannah and Mallory said.

Will rolled his eyes. "Well, I can see I'm outnumbered."

Hannah grinned. "Just this time, Daddy."

Mallory laughed. "You know, my sister would be very happy that her daughter is being raised by two wonderful people."

Frankie felt herself relax at Mallory's words. "Thank you."

"Thank you," Will echoed.

"They're the bestest," Hannah said loyally.

Will mussed Hannah's hair. "And we didn't even have to pay her that much to say that."

"Not at all," Hannah giggled.

They finished the rest of their meal and decided to go to a nearby park. Will hung back with Mallory while Frankie and Hannah pushed the stroller together.

"Did you have a nice time, baby?" Frankie asked.

Hannah nodded. "She's really nice."

"Good," Frankie said.

Isabelle cooed happily. "Ha!"

"I'm right here Izzie," Hannah called. "I'm not going anywhere!"

Frankie nudged her daughter. "We should put a step on the front of the pram so they can see you."

Hannah giggled. "Or just hold a picture in front of them."

"All Hannah, all the time!" Frankie joked.

"That sounds like a show on the telly," Hannah replied.

Frankie grinned. "That's Nate and Izzie's favourite show, you know."

"Well I like to watch them too, even when they're sleeping," Hannah said.

"Me too," Frankie agreed. "And with you. Before I go to sleep, I check on all three of you and make sure that you're okay."

"Sometimes I'm still awake when you do," Hannah confessed.

"You are?" Frankie asked.

Hannah nodded. "Just a few times."

"I never knew," Frankie smiled at her.

"She seems very happy," Mallory said thoughtfully to Will.

Will nodded. "She's been through a lot."

"I keep wishing I'd pushed harder to help Abbie," Mallory said quietly.

"It wasn't your fault," Will reassured her. "You weren't to know."

"I knew he was horrible," Mallory replied.

"He took her away and cut off all communication," Will said. "I know you want to second guess yourself now, but what happened wasn't your fault. Your sister wouldn't blame you. I think---I think she would be happy that you'd found her daughter."

"I hope so," Mallory said, gazing at Hannah who broke away to run for the swings.

"We were really hesitant to allow this meeting, especially Frankie," Will told her.

"I know," Mallory replied. "I guess I'd be a little cautious too, if the situation were reversed."

"She's worried because she doesn't know what your true intentions are where Hannah's concerned," Will said.

"I just want to meet her, and get to know her," Mallory said. "She's my blood niece, and one of my only living family members."

Will smiled. "She likes you, you know."

"I hope so," Mallory said. "I really do."

"She does," Will said. "She's very shy around people she doesn't know very well, but she seemed to warm to you quickly."

Mallory smiled. "I'm sure she feels familiar since we're family."

"That's part of it," Will said as the two of them stood beside Frankie.

"She really loves to swing," Frankie said. "It's one of her favourite things to do when we come to the park."

"I can tell by the look on her face," Mallory grinned.

"You... you should go push her," Frankie said. "Hannah likes to go high."

"Are you sure?" Mallory asked.

Frankie nodded. "Go ahead."

Mallory eagerly walked toward Hannah.

Frankie sat down, turning the pram so she could keep an eye on her youngest.

"Alright?" Will asked her.

Frankie shrugged. "Yes and no."

Will sat down beside her and put his arm around her.

"I just don't know what it is she wants," Frankie said.

"She told me all she wanted was to get to know her niece," Will said.

"I hope that's it," Frankie said, still feeling uncertain.

"I think it is," Will said thoughtfully. "Where did you go, by the way? At the restaurant..."

"Just to talk to Allie for a few minutes," Frankie said.

Will grinned. "And did she help?"

"Yes," Frankie admitted.

"And did you see how happy Hannah was when she was telling Mallory about all the fun we had at the beach?" Will asked her.

Frankie nodded. "She likes her... and I'm glad. I just... there's something nagging at me."

"No one can take your place in Hannah's eyes," Will said softly.

"She changed so much for me, Will." Frankie said. "If I were to ever lose her--"

Will hugged her tightly. "She's not going anywhere."

Frankie sighed into his shoulder.

"I don't think we have anything to worry about," Will said. "And if it makes you feel any better, we can talk to Mrs. Roman and see if there would be any way something like this could happen."

"Okay," Frankie nodded.

"Ma-ma," Nathan called out.

Frankie turned and smiled at her son. "What are you up to, little guy?"

Will laughed. "I think he wants out."

"That can be arranged," Frankie leaned forward and lifted him up. "You are getting heavy!"

Nathan squealed. "Big!"

"That's right," Frankie said. "Big boy!"

Isabelle whined and held up her arms.

"Daddy's got you," Will lifted her up.

"Da," Isabella said putting her arms around his neck.

Will kissed her cheek. "How's my gorgeous girl?"

Isabelle gave him a toothy smile.

Will laughed. "You look just like your mum."

"Ah, she's much prettier than me," Frankie said with a grin.

"Likely she'll want to be just like you," Will teased.

"Oh heaven help us," Frankie laughed.

"Well I can already tell you she's not going to date," Will replied.

"With a face like that?" Frankie joked. "She's going to fight them off with a stick."

"I'll just enjoy her like this for now then," Will sat his daughter on his lap.

Izzie waved her hand in her sister's direction. "Ha! Ha!"

"Hi Izzie!" Hannah waved.

"Ha, Dad-dy," Izzie said turning to look at Will.

Will grinned. "Look who's a chatterbox!"

Frankie laughed. "She's a smart girl."

Isabelle seemed to know they were talking about her and kicked her little feet.

Hannah waved again as Mallory pushed her on the swing. "Nate, look at me!"

Nathan reached his little arms out towards his older sister.

Hannah got distracted as she waved and the next thing she knew, she'd fallen off the swing with a thud.

"OW!"

"Hannah!" Frankie cried out, setting Nathan into the pram and hurrying over.

Hannah let out a cry. "My arm!"

Mallory reached Hannah first. "Sweetheart I'm so sorry!"

"It h-hurts," Hannah said, her face red.

Frankie dropped to her knees. "Baby--"

"M-mummy, my arm hurts!" Hannah yelped.

"Let's get you to the hospital," Frankie said, too upset to think straight.

Frankie gingerly picked up her daughter. "It's going to be okay, Hannah. Mummy's here."

Hannah tried to hold back her tears. "It hurts really bad..."

Will had pushed the pram over to where they were standing. "Let me take her, Frankie."

Frankie nodded. Mallory stood by, feeling awkward and upset.

Will placed a kiss to his daughter's cheek. "It's going to be okay, love. I promise."

Hannah nodded and pressed her face into Will's shoulder.

They arrived at the hospital emergency room about ten minutes later. "May I help you?" a kindly receptionist asked.

"My daughter fell off the swing," Will said to her. "She's hurt her arm."

The receptionist pulled a sympathetic face. "I'll page a doctor right in."

Will nodded and sat down with Hannah. "You're being a brave girl, you know that?"

Hannah nodded. "I'm trying."

"I'm so sorry," Mallory said to Frankie while Frankie filled out the forms. "I was just pushing her..."

Frankie nodded, still too upset to really talk. She was a bit angry with Mallory as well.

Hannah looked at Will. "What if they have to do an operation?"

Will chuckled. "You won't have to have an operation, baby."

"Promise?" Hannah asked.

"I promise," Will smoothed back her hair as the receptionist brought over some forms.

"You'll need to fill these out, too," the nurse said handing the forms to Mallory. "I'm not---I'm not her mother," Mallory said hastily.

"I am," Frankie said, reaching for them.

"Oh," the receptionist said. "I'm sorry---"

Frankie turned without a word and began scrawling information down.

"How are you holding up, Hannah?" Mallory asked.

Hannah shook her head.

"I'm so sorry," Mallory apologised.

"It's okay," Hannah whispered.

"Mr. and Mrs. Barron?" a nurse asked. "The doctor will see Hannah now."

Frankie scratched the last bit of information and gave the papers back to the receptionist.

"I can stay with the babies," Mallory offered.

Frankie shook her head. "You've done enough."

"I'm sorry," Mallory apologised. "I didn't mean for that to happen--"

Will looked at her. "It's okay, Mallory. It was an accident."

Mallory nodded. "I should go... um... would you let me know how she is?"

"Of course," Will replied.

"Bye, Hannah," Mallory said quietly. "I'm sorry about your arm."

Hannah nodded. "Bye, Aunt Mallory."

It seemed to cheer the other woman up a bit when Hannah called her aunt. Frankie didn't say a word only ushered Hannah into the office.

The doctor was waiting for them. "Hello, Hannah. I'm Dr. Stewart."

"Hi," Hannah said, holding her arm.

"How old are you?" Dr. Stevens asked with a grin. "Twenty?"

Hannah smiled thinly. "Seven..."

"Seven?" Dr. Stewart asked shaking his head. "I never knew a seven year old to be so brave."

Frankie smiled. "She's my bravest girl."

The doctor examined Hannah's arm. "Sweetheart, can you move your arm for me?"

Hannah tried. "OW!"

"Did she land on it when she fell?" the doctor asked Frankie.

"Yes," Frankie replied. "Off a swing in the park."

"I'm thinking it's broken," the doctor said thoughtfully. "I want to run x-rays to be sure."

"Of course," Frankie said. "Anything you have to do."

Hannah looked at Will.

"It's okay, love," Will reassured her. "They're just going to take a picture of your arm."

"A picture?" Hannah asked.

Dr. Stewart nodded. "We have a special camera that can take a picture of your arm so we can see the bone."

"Wow..." Hannah seemed impressed.

"Pretty cool, eh?" Dr. Stewart asked.

Hannah nodded.

"I'll stay with the babies if you want to go with Hannah," Will said to Frankie.

"Thanks," Frankie said.

Nearly an hour later, the Barrons left the hospital. Hannah's arm was broken and she was sporting a purple cast.

"Mummy will Emma be able to sign it?" Hannah asked, enthralled with the cast.

Frankie smiled. "Of course."

"Cool!" Hannah said.

Frankie laughed. "And since you were such a big girl, your Daddy said he was going to make enchiladas for dinner!"

"Ooooh!" Hannah brightened. "That's my favourite meal! Next to pizza."

"With lots and lots of cheese," Will grinned at her.

Hannah hugged her father with her good arm.

"That's my girl," Will said.

Frankie pushed the pram ahead of them. "How does your arm feel right now, sweetheart?"

"It's okay," Hannah replied.

"You let me know when it hurts again," Frankie said.

"I will," Hannah promised. She looked up at her father. "Daddy, did you see my bone! It was so cool! I couldn't believe that's what my arm looks like under my skin!"

"I sure did, baby." Will replied as they arrived back home.

"I can't wait to tell Emma," Hannah said.

"Will," Frankie said. "Shouldn't we just get some of that potion that mends bones?"

Will grinned. "I think I have some of that in my office."

"But does that mean I have to take off my cast?" Hannah asked in dismay.

"No," Frankie said. "You can wear it for a few days, baby."

"Good," Hannah said.

"Come on," Frankie said. "Let's get you settled on the sofa."

"I'll ring Mallory to let her know how our patient did," Will said grinning at her.

Frankie shrugged

Frankie helped Hannah take off her shoes and then helped her daughter lie down on the sofa. She took the blanket and draped it over her daughter. "Nice and comfy?"

Hannah nodded. "Thanks Mummy."

"You know," Frankie said. "You were a lot braver than me today. I was so scared."

"You were?" Hannah asked

Frankie nodded. "You're my little girl and I never want anything to happen to you."

"I love you," Hannah said.

Tears welled up in Frankie's eyes and she leaned in and kissed her daughter on the forehead. "I love you, too, baby."

Hannah closed her eyes. The pain medication they'd given her made her feel sleepy.

"Sweet dreams," Frankie whispered.

Will was just picking up his mobile when Frankie came into the kitchen.

"How's our girl?" Will asked.

"Sleeping," Frankie replied.

"The doctor said the pain medicine would do that," Will said. "I was just going to ring Mallory."

Frankie snorted. "It's her fault this happened."

Will sighed. "Frankie, it was an accident."

"Whatever," Frankie muttered.

"You know I'm right," Will said. "Mallory wasn't at fault here, Frankie."

"I let her go off with Hannah, and our daughter gets hurt," Frankie said furiously.

"Frankie, if Chiaki had been the one pushing Hannah on the swing and this had happened, would you be reacting the same way?" Will asked.

"Maybe," Frankie countered.

Will just shook his head before punching Mallory's number into his mobile. "Mallory? Hi, it's Will Barron."

Frankie shook her head and turned away to get some plates out of the cupboard.

"She's fine," Frankie heard Will say. "They gave her some pain medication and she's resting now. But, she was really happy about the x-ray and getting a cast that all her friends could sign."

Frankie couldn't make out what Mallory was saying but her voice sounded relieved.

"Of course," Will said. "I'll tell her when she wakes up. You're welcome to call on her tomorrow."

Frankie shook her head but Will ignored her.

"You have a good night," Will said. "And don't worry."

Frankie glared at him as she pulled down a tray.

"She was really worried," Will said.

"I'm sure she was," Frankie said sarcastically.

Will didn't want to argue with his wife about this. He had a feeling he knew what her anger was stemming from. "I'm going to start dinner."

"Fine," Frankie replied.

"It's been a long, emotional day, Frankie," Will said moving to put his arms around her. "Hannah's fine."

"I just hate that she was hurt," Frankie said.

Will kissed the top of her head. "I do too, but she's okay now and it was an accident."

Frankie didn't respond. "I'm going to check on her."

"Okay," Will said.

Frankie peeked in first at Isabelle and Nathan, who were still kipping together in the pram. She then sat by Hannah for a few moments, who was breathing peacefully on the sofa.

Perhaps, she had overreacted. Mallory hadn't meant for Hannah to fall out of the swing. She'd seemed genuinely upset about the whole incident.

She brushed Hannah's hair off her forehead and sat for a few more minutes until heading back into the kitchen.

Will had turned the wireless on and was singing along softly to the song playing.

Frankie smiled as she watched her husband.

Will turned around. "Did you want to help?" he asked with a grin.

"I could," she said.

"You are the prettiest sous chef in the whole world," Will said nudging her.

Frankie laughed. "You're such a suck up."

"Yeah, yeah," Will said handing her a bowl.

"Those do smell delicious," Frankie said.

"Only the best for our brave girl," Will said.

"Absolutely," Frankie agreed.

"And what shall we feed the two little terrors?" Will asked.

"Probably some cereal," Frankie said. "We should start them on more solid food soon."

Will nodded and gave her a kiss.

Frankie closed her eyes and kept her lips pressed to his.

"This is a much better way to spend our time," Will said huskily.

"Yes it is," she said softly. "I think you need some Frankie Gai Pan later."

"Mmmm," Will murmured. "I haven't had that in a long time."

"It's been too long," Frankie said, kissing him again.

"Tonight after the kids are in bed," Will said. "We'll see what we can do about that."

Frankie grinned. "I can't wait."

Will gave her another kiss. "Now, quit distracting me."

"Yes sir," Frankie saluted.

276. Chapter 276 Do You Remember?

Authors’ note: More of Josh and Jon’s business adventure in this chapter along with a cute little Hogwarts flashback. We hope you enjoy! Please, please review and let us know what you think!

While the Barrons made dinner, Jon Weasley was trying very hard not to lose his temper. He had arrived at the pub after taking the morning off to be with his family. He'd arrived to find the pub in complete disarray. For a moment, he wasn't even sure he was in the right place. The tables at the front of the pub had been replaced by two plush sofas. "What the hell?" Jon muttered to himself.

Josh came out from the back. "Hey, mate!"

"What's---what's all this?" Jon asked.

"I just made a few changes," Josh said. "A pub near my firm has a few sofas like this."

"Josh, this isn't a coffee house," Jon said.

"But we can sort of make it like one," Josh said. "People really like it, and they'll buy more drinks."

"I wish you would have asked me first," Jon said quietly.

"Why?" Josh asked. "We're partners aren't we?"

"Which would mean that we would make these decisions together," Jon pointed out.

"I really thought you'd like them," Josh replied.

"We'll---we'll see how it goes," Jon relented.

Josh grinned. "Fantastic."

"How were things today?" Jon asked.

"Busy," Josh replied.

"Good," Jon replied. "Thanks for covering things today."

"It was good- I really got a feel for the place." Josh said.

"That's great," Jon replied grinning at his brother. Perhaps this wasn't going to be bad.

"Oh," Josh said. "We need to talk about Audrey and Becca."

Jon led the way to their shared office. "What about them?"

"I think they're too close," Josh said. "Audrey does a good job, but she's dating our brother. Becca on the other hand..."

Jon raised an eyebrow. "You think we should sack Audrey for dating RJ?"

Josh shrugged. "I don't know..."

Jon shook his head as he absently looked through his messages. "Josh, Audrey's a great waitress."

"All right," Josh relented. "But as I was saying... I'm not so sure about Becca. She spends a lot of time socializing."

"We could talk to her again," Jon suggested. "Tell her that if it doesn't stop, she's going to lose her job."

"How many times have you talked to her?" Josh asked pointedly.

"A couple," Jon replied thoughtfully.

"Then we give her one more chance," Josh said. "Tell her this is strike three."

Jon grinned. "Joshie, did you just make a sports reference?"

"Shut it," Josh laughed.

"I'm so proud," Jon teased.

"Yeah, yeah." he said. "Come on, I'll show you the stock room."

Jon clapped him on the back. "Okay, then."

Josh had spent a good deal of that morning organizing the stock room and putting things in alphabetical order.

"Wow," Jon replied looking around.

"Looks good, doesn't it?" he asked in satisfaction.

Jon had to admit that it did. "It does."

"I'm glad." Josh said. "And we'll do an inventory every three months to keep on top of things."

"We do that now," Jon pointed out. "I mean, in theory, we did that..."

"Now it'll be more organised," Josh said.

Jon nodded. "Good job, Josh."

"Thanks," Josh said.

"I was actually going to grab something to eat and bring it home," Jon said.

"You do charge yourself, right?" Josh asked.

Jon looked at him. "I beg your pardon?"

"Anytime anyone makes food here, and either takes it home or eats it here, should charge just like any other customer," Josh replied.

Jon sighed. It was one step forward and two steps back with Josh. "Josh, we own the place. It's not going to bankrupt us if I take home food for my family."

"On the contrary--" Josh began.

Jon pulled out his wallet. "Fine, Josh. Here's twenty quid."

"You'll thank me for this," Josh told him.

"I'm thanking you alright," Jon muttered under his breath.

"What?" Josh asked.

"Nothing," Jon said walking into the kitchen. He looked at Nigel, the night chef. "Mate, can I get some soup and sandwiches to take home?"

"You got it man," Nigel said. "And don't worry. I put in a few extra for you."

"You know how Emma is," Jon grinned. "Thanks."

"Five minutes," Nigel said.

"Perfect," Jon said.

One of the waitresses came to the back. "Josh, there's a Julie Malfoy out front asking for you?"

"Jules is here?" Josh asked.

The waitress nodded. "At the bar."

Without a word, Josh left them and headed out to the front.

Julie smiled when she saw him. "I was hoping you'd be here. How are you?"

"Good!" Josh grinned at her. "It's been a great morning."

Julie gave him a hug. "I was at Hogwarts earlier for a staff meeting...you know, preparing for the next term. I was starving and Nick's taken the girls to some promotional event. I thought I'd stop in and see how you were doing."

"I'm always glad to see you Jules," Josh said. "What can I get you?"

"I should say a salad," Julie grinned. "But I'm dying for a nice, fattening cheeseburger with chips."

Josh laughed. "Cheeseburger it is."

Julie waited for him to come back after he placed her order. "So how are Casey, Noah and Aidan?"

"They're getting so big," Josh shook his head.

"It goes by so fast," Julie said smiling at him.

"It sure does," he agreed. "I can't believe Ashley's thirteen... and Katie's headed for Hogwarts."

Josh grinned. "Is Hogwarts ready for Katie?"

Julie shook her head. "I don't think they'll know what hit them."

Josh laughed. "Is she excited?"

Julie nodded. "It's all she's been talking about."

"I remember my first days at Hogwarts," Josh recalled.

"So do I," Julie said. "I was so glad when you and Jon started."

"And you were great because you didn't treat me like some snot-nosed first year that you were too good to speak to," Josh smiled.

Julie laughed. "As if I'd ever hear the end of it if I had!"

"You were always great to me," Josh said.

Julie smiled as the waitress set her cheeseburger in front of her. "Thank you."

"This is delicious," Julie said. "I always loved the food here."

Josh leaned against the counter. "Well, you should come by more often."

"Maybe I will," Julie said.

Jon came out from the kitchen carrying a paper bag of food. "Jules!"

"Jon!" Julie exclaimed. "This place looks great!"

"Josh made some renovations," Jon said.

"I like the sofas," Julie nodded. "Gives this place a very cosy feel."

Josh grinned at his brother. "See?"

Jon nodded. "Hopefully they'll stay clean."

"Josh and I were just remembering our Hogwarts days," Julie told him. Jon chuckled. "Did he tell you all about how he worshiped the ground you walked on?"

Josh turned red. "That was a long time ago."

Jon decided to give his brother a hard time. "Jules, do you remember your last year at Hogwarts..."

Josh poked him hard in the side.

"Who was it that you went to the Yule Ball with that year?" Jon asked.

"I don't remember," Josh said, red faced.

"I went with Matt Lindstrom," Julie remembered.

The Yule Ball was held every Christmas at Hogwarts just before the students went home for the holidays. Julie had been looking forward to this one because she was going with someone she'd fancied for quite some time and it would be her last one at Hogwarts. The same couldn't be said for Josh Weasley. He had decided to forego the event altogether even though as a fourth year he was able to go. Jon wasn't able to go because he'd been caught after curfew walking around the castle.

"I can't believe you're allowed to go but aren't," Jon said sullenly.

The twins were sitting in the common room watching as everyone made their way out of the dorm. Josh shrugged and reached for his book. "I didn't have anyone to go with."

"So go stag," Jon said.

"I'm happy where I am," Josh said.

"Hey, guys," Allison Longbottom said from behind them. As a third-year, she wasn't able to go to the ball.

Jon jumped up. "Hey, Allie!"

Allison sat down beside Josh on the sofa. "Since you're not going to the ball, Josh, did you want to play chess?"

"Sure," Josh said, putting his book aside.

Jon frowned. "I thought you were going to read?"

Josh shrugged. "I can read later."

"The winner can play you," Allison offered.

"I don't know anything about chess," Jon said.

Josh looked at his brother. Jon was as good a player as their father.

"I could show you," Allison said to Jon. "It's really easy."

Jon grinned at her. "That'd be great, Al."

"I'll just go and get the board," Allison said smiling back at him before she hurried upstairs.

"What are you playing at, Jon?" Josh asked him. "You know how to play chess."

Jon leaned back. "I forgot."

"Bollocks," Josh said shaking his head. "You're wasting her time, you know?"

"No I'm not," Jon replied. "I want to play chess with her."

"Whatever," Josh said grabbing his book again.

Allison came back a few moments later with the board.

"Here we go," Jon pushed some books and parchment off the table. Josh rolled his eyes.

"I was sure you knew how to play," Allison commented as she set up the board.

"I could use a refresher," he said.

Josh opened his mouth to say something when he heard the sound of laughter coming from the staircase. He turned and felt his jaw drop. Julie Potter. Julie Potter in periwinkle blue dress robes.

Jon let out a wolf whistle. "Looking good, Jules!"

Julie beamed at him. "Thanks, Jon. Hi, Josh, Allie..."

Allison smiled. "You look gorgeous, Julie."

"Thanks," Julie said stepping closer. "Josh, could you help me? I need help with my necklace."

Josh all but threw his book aside. "Sure!"

Julie handed it to him. "It's my mum's."

Josh clasped it, allowing his hand to remain just a split second longer against her skin.

"Who're you going with, Jules?" Jon asked.

“Matt Lindstrom from Hufflepuff," Julie replied.

"A Hufflepuff?" Josh asked before he could stop himself.

Julie turned and looked at him. "Yes...are you okay, Josh?"

"Fine," Josh said quickly.

"Why aren't you going to the ball?" Julie asked nudging him. "A handsome boy like you should have no trouble getting a date, Josh."

Josh shrugged. "I guess I waited too long to ask the right person..."

"You had someone in mind?" Allison asked standing up. "I thought you just didn't want to go..."

Josh only shrugged, too embarrassed to speak.

"I was hoping to dance with you," Julie said. "It's a shame that you're not going, Josh."

Josh stared at her in dismay. "You were?"

Julie nodded. "Of course."

"Well maybe I can still go..." Josh said. "Mum did send our dress robes over..."

Julie grinned and gave him a hug. "That's fantastic, Josh! You'll have a good time."

Allison bit her lower lip as she watched Josh bound up the stairs.

"Oh yeah," Jon nodded. "I remember seeing you come in late..."

"Wait a minute," Josh said. "How did you see me? I wondered where you and Allie had gotten off too."

Jon grinned. "I got Allie to come with me to spy on the proceedings."

Julie looked at Allie. "You know you just have to wait one more year, Allison. You'll be getting all dolled up, too and some lucky bloke will be waiting for you."

"I hope so," Allison said wistfully.

"And you," Julie said mussing Jon's hair. "If you behaved, you could be going too."

Jon ducked away. "Yeah... guess I'll have to find a girl who wants to go with me next year."

Julie laughed. "I'll see you guys later."

"I'll tell Joshie you went down and you'll meet him there," Jon said.

Julie nodded. "Thanks."

Jon turned his attention back to the chessboard. He looked at Allison, who seemed to be lost in thought. "Al?"

"Hmm?" she asked, gazing at the stairway.

"You wish you could go, too, eh?" Jon asked her.

"It would be fun, but I doubt anyone would ask me," Allison said.

"You never know," Jon said with a grin. "Someone might fancy you..."

Allison only shrugged.

"You know," Jon said with a mischievous grin.

"We can't actually go to the ball, but we could still crash it...in a way."

"What?" Allison asked, giving him a strange look.

"Come on, Longbottom," Jon said pushing back from his chair. "Where's your adventurous side?"

"We won't get in trouble will we?" she asked.

Jon shook his head. "No. And if we do, you can tell everyone that you tried to stop me. Come on. It'll be fun."

Allison smiled. "Okay."

"My Uncle George told me about this secret passage," Jon told her as they climbed through the portrait hole. "Filch doesn't even know about it."

"Really?" Allison asked.

Jon nodded. "It leads to this corridor just outside the Great Hall. We'll be able to see everything from there."

"Cool," Allison said, following him closely.

"Are you looking forward to Christmas hols?" Jon asked conversationally. "You're going home right?"

Allison nodded. "Of course."

"Us too," Jon said. "I can't wait to eat Christmas dinner at my Nana's."

"We're going there too!" Allison said.

Jon grinned. "I didn't know that."

"Mum just wrote and told me," Allison said.

"That's cool," Jon said. "I mean---you know, it's cool if you're going to be there. Or not...you know..."

He saw the look of confusion on her face and he wondered what his problem was. He'd known her since they were kids. Why was he sounding like a complete moron?

"So um... where exactly is this passage?" Allison asked.

"It's just down this staircase," Jon told her. "Come on."

"Okay," she said nervously. "I really hope we don't get caught."

Jon turned around and grinned at her. "Allie. You worry too much. If I stopped to think about getting caught, I'd never have any fun."

"I guess..." she said.

"If it wasn't for my uncles, I'd have never heard about this," Jon whispered to her. Allison looked at him. They were at the end of a hall that was adorned with a simple portrait of a tree.

"Where is it?" she asked softly.

"Pull a leaf from the tree," Jon told her with a grin.

"What?" she asked in confusion. "But it's a painting."

"Not just any painting," Jon said. "Just pull a leaf from the tree."

Allison reached out and to her astonishment, her fingers grasped a leaf. She pulled it back towards her.

"Now," Jon said. "Stand back..."

Allison moved back as the portrait swung forwards.

"That's so cool!" Allison exclaimed.

"Come on," Jon whispered.

Allison nodded and followed him inside another dark corridor.

"I found this one day when I was exploring," Jon said. "Just around here, it shows us right into the Great Hall."

"And no one else knows about this?" Allison asked.

Jon shook his head.

Allison smiled at him as she heard the faint sound of music.

"This way," Jon whispered.

Allison nodded.

"And here we are," he said, crouching down.

Allison knelt down beside him.

"Wow," she breathed.

"They really did it up nice, didn't they?" Jon asked as the two of them looked at the winter wonderland the Great Hall had transformed into.

Allison nodded. "Now this really makes me wish I could go."

"There's always next year," Jon told her.

"I know," she nodded.

Jon spotted a familiar face. "Lizzy Mitchell was able to go the ball? She's a third year like you..."

"What?" Allison asked.

"That's Lizzy over there by the food, right? The one in the red dress robes?" Jon asked.

Allison gasped. "How did she get there? She didn't say anything to me!"

"Maybe it was last minute," Jon said thoughtfully. "Oh...she's with Damon Whatley, he's in Ravenclaw. I have Potions with him."

"But I thought even if we were asked, we couldn't go until fourth year," Allison said.

"You can if you get asked by a fourth-year," Jon said. "I mean, if I asked you, you could go because I'm a fourth-year."

"I didn't know that," Allison said.

Jon nodded. "They're not that much fun, though. I mean, I guess they are if you like to dance and all."

"Dancing is in my family," Allison said with a grin.

"Oh," Jon said grinning back at her. "I'd forgotten."

"So you don't like to dance?" Allison asked.

Jon shrugged. "It's okay, I suppose."

"I like it, but not all the time," Allison said.

"So you're not going to follow in your mum and Chiaki's footsteps?" Jon asked.

Allison shook her head. "I don't know what I want to do yet."

"Me either," Jon admitted. "I like flying, but unless you play professionally, there's not much you can do with it."

"I love flying," Allison said.

"It's the one thing I'm good at," Jon said.

"You're good at more than just flying," Allison told him.

Jon looked at her. "Getting into trouble?"

Allison giggled. "Of course not."

Jon laughed, too. "Eating?"

"I'll give you that one," Allison nodded.

Jon nudged her. "Look, there's Snape," he whispered.

"Gross!" Allison exclaimed.

"He's---he's asking Professor Sprout to dance," Jon said in disbelief.

"Eww!" Allison said, making a face.

"I think I just threw up in my mouth," Jon muttered.

"Me too," Allison agreed.

Something smelled like cinnamon and Jon thought it was the best smell in the entire world. Allison brushed her hair over her shoulder and he realised it was her hair.

"Are you okay?" she asked him.

Jon nodded hastily. "Yeah...fine."

"This is really cool," Allison said. "Thanks for showing me."

"No problem," Jon said. "Thanks for coming with me."

"It was probably more fun than chess," Allison admitted.

"Breaking the rules?" Jon asked with a grin.

"I suppose," Allison replied, laughing.

"Of course, you did get to see Snape waltz," Jon said, his nose scrunching up in disgust.

"So not everything was good," Allison shook her head.

"There's always the next time," Jon said.

"Right," Allison nodded. "Look- there's Josh!"

Jon looked where she'd pointed. His brother was wearing a blue set of dress robes that their mother had sent a couple of days ago.

"He looks really nice," Allison said.

Jon didn't see the dreamy expression that came over Allison's face as she gazed at Josh.

"I have the same set of dress robes," Jon said.

"Uh huh..." Allison said distractedly.

"And I'm a little taller than he is actually," Jon tried to point out.

"Oh..." Allison replied.

"I'm better on a broom than he is," Jon continued. "He can barely stay upright."

"I bet he is," Allison said, not paying attention.

"There's Jules," Jon said.

"She looks so gorgeous," Allison said, snapping back to attention.

"She does," Jon agreed. He watched as his brother seemed to be working up his nerve to walk over to the older girl.

"Go on," he muttered. "Grow a pair, mate."

"What was that?" Allison asked.

"Josh," he nodded his head. "He wants to ask Julie to dance."

"Josh fancies Julie?" Allison asked.

"Big time," Jon replied.

"Oh," Allison said quietly.

"For about three months now," Jon continued.

"I had no idea," Allison said, trying not to let him see how hurt she was by this news.

Jon shrugged. "I don't think anything will come of it."

Allison nodded. "She's older than him."

"That and I just don't think Jules looks at him that way," Jon told her.

"You mean, she sees him more like a little brother?" Allison asked hopefully.

"Probably," Jon replied.

Allison sighed in relief.

"Why?" he asked.

"Just curious," Allison covered. "I mean, he's my friend and I don't want to see him hurt."

"Oh," Jon replied. "Yeah, I may take the mickey, but I don't want to see him get hurt either."

Allison smiled at him. "He'd probably like to hear that every now and then."

"I wouldn't want to ruin my reputation," he joked.

Allison nudged him. "Your secret is safe with me, Jonathan Weasley."

"I knew I could trust you," he nudged her back. "Wife."

Allison giggled. "You remember that?"

"I remember my mum taking pictures," Jon shook his head.

Allison smiled. "And Paddy."

"I miss Paddy," Jon admitted.

"He was such a great dog," Allison recalled. "And he loved all of you so much!"

"Yeah, he loved you too," Jon recalled.

Allison smiled. "Well, maybe someday you'll get another dog."

"I hope so," Jon nodded.

Allison gasped when she saw someone else in the Great Hall. "What on earth is my sister doing there! She's a first year!"

Jon peered over her shoulder. "Shite!"

Allison shook her head. "I can't believe Frankie!"

"She is something else," Jon agreed. "Wonder what your parents would say."

"They'd freak out," Allison said. "I can't believe her. She'd better hope Julie doesn't see her since Jules' is Head Girl."

"Too bad we don't have dress robes on," Jon said. "We could sneak in and blend in with the crowd.

"Yeah," Allison said. "You know she's always doing stuff like this. Sneaking around, eavesdropping...wait. I guess I shouldn't talk now, eh? What am I doing here with you?"

"We're just having fun," Jon shrugged.

"You could have done this with your mates, you know," Allison said. "I'm sure you'd have had more fun with them than with me."

"Nah, this is cool," Jon said with an easy grin.

"It is," Allison agreed.

"I'm glad you're having fun," Jon shifted so he was crouched down.

"Probably more fun than if I'd had a chance to go to the ball," Allison admitted.

"You'll go next year and have a blast," Jon replied.

"Maybe," Allison said softly.

Jon opened his mouth to say something else but closed it as Frankie Longbottom sauntered over with the bloke she was with.

"It's one thing to sneak in to the ball, but quite another to go with a date!" Allison exclaimed. "We're not allowed to date until we're 16. She's eleven!"

"Are you going to say anything to your parents?" he asked.

Allison thought about it for a minute. "No, but if she tries to tell on me for something, I'll bring it back up to her."

Jon grinned at her. "Good plan, Longbottom."

Allison laughed. "I try."

The two of them stayed downstairs for another hour before sneaking back to the common room.

"So, breaking the rules, not so bad, eh?" Jon asked her.

"Not always," she replied.

Jon nudged her. "Thanks for coming with me, Al. We'll have to do it again sometime."

"Sure," Allison grinned at him.

"I guess I should head up to my room," Jon said.

Allison nodded. "If you really need a chess lesson, maybe tomorrow we can play."

Jon smiled. "It's a date. I mean--sure."

"Great," Allison grinned. "Night!"

"Night," Jon said watching her go.

"Was that when you started fancying her?" Josh asked. "I thought it was after we moved."

Jon grinned. "I first noticed her then. I was a goner right after we moved though."

"Why then?" Josh asked.

"I don't know," Jon said. "She just---she had this way of making me want to be a better person, I guess. And she was easy to talk to and she had the prettiest brown eyes I'd ever seen."

Julie grinned. "Jon, that's so sweet!"

Jon shrugged. "Yeah... well. She's my girl. Always has been."

"You'd better get that food home," Josh said. "Unless you want to stay here and tell Julie other embarrassing things I did when I had that crush on her."

"I'm sure she knows it all," Jon said dryly.

"I think it's sweet," Julie said.

Jon laughed as Josh turned red.

Jon gave Julie a peck on the cheek. "Tell Nick I said hello."

"I will," Julie said. "Do the same for me with Allie."

"Night, Joshie," Jon said.

"I should get going too," Julie replied. "Thanks for the burger, Josh."

"Night, Julie," Josh said. "I'm glad you stopped by."

"I'll bring the girls by soon to try more of the new menu," Julie said. "They're still grounded, but mostly just from friends."

Josh gave her a hug. "I'd love to see them."

"Soon," Julie promised.

Josh watched her go and felt nothing for her but friendship. She had been such a good friend to him these last few years.

"Josh," Audrey came up to him. "I've got a bloke asking for Stella and we're all out."

"Oh," Josh replied. "Are you sure?"

Audrey nodded. "I looked for another keg in the regular place but I couldn't find it."

Josh sighed. "Offer him something else."

"I tried," she told him. "Everything is different in the storage room now. I can't find anything."

"It's a simple system," Josh said as if he was talking to a four-year old. "Alphabetical order. I'll go and look."

Audrey rolled her eyes and followed him.

Josh opened the door to the storage room and walked behind a shelf. "Back here, I put all the kegs."

"That's not where they usually are," Audrey pointed out.

"Because like I said, it's in alphabetical order now," Josh said, trying to remain patient.

"Well, now I know," Audrey said. "Can you help me lift it at least?"

"Sure," Josh replied.

"You know," Audrey said as he helped her. "Jon and Vic always told us when they made changes."

Josh turned and looked at her.

"I'm just saying," Audrey said.

"I think there's a customer out there waiting for his drink," Josh said.

Audrey thought for a moment about apologising, but she knew that she was in the right here. If Josh was going to make changes, he had to let the staff know. "Okay," Audrey said quietly. "I'll tell him that it's coming right up."

Josh nodded. "Good."

Audrey walked out of the storage room. Josh shook his head. The system he'd set up here was foolproof.

He knew things were changing, but he knew it was for the best. The rest of that would see it soon too.

277. Chapter 277 Rafe

Authors’ note: This chapter brings the arrival of little Rafe. We hope that you enjoy!

Darla breathed in and out as her sister instructed her to do. "I don't know... how you did this..." she panted.”I can hardly bear it!"

"It'll be worth it Dar," Drew assured her. "Your baby is going to be born soon. The moment you hold him in your arms this will all be worth it."

"Where's Mum?" Darla managed. "I want Mum..."

"She's on her way," Drew promised.

Darla squeezed her twin's hand as another contraction hit her.

"Breathe," Drew coached. "In... out... that's it Dar."

A nurse came in to check on Darla. "Good morning, Mrs. Feinbach! How are we today?"

Darla glared at the nurse. "We? I didn't realise you were in excruciating pain today as well?"

"She'll be all right once this passes," Drew cut in hastily.

"Of course," the nurse replied. "Healer Thornhart will be here shortly."

"Good," Darla breathed a sigh of relief as the contraction finally passed.

The door opened again and Darla looked up and was relieved to see her mother.

"Oh, Mummy," Darla said holding out her hand. "I can't do this..."

Luna rushed to her daughter's side. "Yes you can, love."

"How--how did you do this more than once?" Darla asked with wide eyes.

"Because I know it's worth it, baby." Luna kissed her forehead.

"Is Dad here too?" Darla asked.

"He's in the waiting room," Luna said.

"Would you like some ice chips, Mrs. Feinbach?" the nurse asked.

"Yes please," Darla mopped at her forehead.

Drew looked at the clock. It was just gone six in the morning. Darla had rung her at around two a.m. because her waters had broken. Drew had rushed to her sister's side.

She was glad to have her mother and sister there, but she really wanted her husband at her side. She had phoned him and of course had gotten his voicemail.

The nurse handed Drew a cup of ice chips.

"Here," Drew said handing the cup to her sister. "This should help."

"Thanks," Darla took one. The cold wetness sliding down her throat felt wonderful.

The door swung open again and Darla looked over expecting to see Hans, but it was Liam.

"Healer Thornhart, her vital signs are great," the nurse told him.

"Thank you," Liam said. "Hi there, ladies."

"I'm so glad you're here," Darla said. "Is there any way you could just knock me out and then wake me up when Rafe's out?"

Liam chuckled. "Doesn't quite work that way."

"Darla's threshold for pain is quite low," Drew said squeezing her sister's hand.

"Very, very low." Darla emphasized.

Liam grinned. "Well, I think I might have something that could ease her pain, so to speak."

"I would love you forever," Darla said wearily as another contraction hit her.

Liam walked over to the counter and began mixing a potion. Drew smiled reassuringly at her sister. "This is the good stuff, Dar. You'll feel great as soon as you drink it."

Darla nodded. "I hope so."

"I would have been here sooner, but I was delivering twins," Liam said as he continued to mix the potion. "A boy and a girl."

"Twins?" Darla asked. "Really?"

Liam handed her a glass of the pain-relieving potion. "Yes, she was in labour for 14 hours."

Darla paled. "FOURTEEN HOURS?" she nearly shrieked.

Liam nodded. "I know you're frightened, but it will be worth it in the end when you meet your son. And I'm not going to let anything bad happen to you, Darla. Drink that potion and you'll feel a whole lot better. Trust me."

"Okay," Darla said, reaching for the flask.

She downed the contents of the flask in seconds and then handed it back to Liam. "I don't feel any---oh. Oh, that's....that's nice."

Liam laughed. "Much better."

Darla smiled. "That's really nice."

"They're going to prep you now," Drew told her sister.

Darla nodded a dazed smile on her face. "Okay."

"I loved when they gave me this," Drew said. "Best feeling ever."

Darla closed her eyes and felt a feeling of euphoria come over her.

It didn't last, however. It was only a few moments later when she heard a commotion outside the door.

"Sir, you can't just go in there!" a nurse was saying.

"She's my wife!" Hans said. "I have every right to be here!"

Luna opened the door. "It's alright. He's telling the truth. He is my son-in-law. My daughter wants him in here."

"Hans?" Darla asked.

"Hey," Hans said stepping into the room. "I came as soon as I got your message."

Despite what had happened the last time they were together, Darla smiled at him.

He ignored the glare that Drew shot at him as he took a seat beside Darla's bedside.

"Rafe's finally coming," Darla told him.

Hans smiled. "I know."

"It doesn't hurt anymore," Darla laughed. "Not even a little!"

"They gave her a potion for the pain," Luna explained. She looked at her other daughter. "Drew, why don't you go and see how your father is doing?"

"I guess..." Drew said reluctantly. "Darla... I'll be back soon."

"Okay," Darla gave her sister a wave.

Hans reached for his wife's hand. "We're about to become parents, Dar..."

Darla nodded. "I'm so glad you're here. I didn't want you to miss it."

"I wouldn't be anywhere else," Hans said. "I've missed you."

Luna bit her tongue. She wanted to tell him that you couldn't tell it on Darla's end since he hadn't called her more than a couple of times since he'd left for New York.

"Oh," Darla nodded as she felt a twinge in her stomach.

"What's wrong?" Hans asked.

"I think it's a contraction, but it doesn't hurt anymore." Darla explained.

"That's good," Hans said squeezing her hand. He looked at Liam. "You taking good care of my girl, then?"

"Absolutely," Liam said with a polite smile.

"He's been great," Darla said dazedly. "Especially with that potion..."

Liam grinned. "No problem."

Hans chuckled. "Darla, you seem very peaceful, for want of a better word."

"I am," she drawled.

Out in the waiting room, Ron was sitting with Jon and Maddie. Drew walked over to them. "Hey."

"How is she?" Ron asked.

"She's great since they gave her something for the pain," Drew replied.

"Good," Ron said.

"We saw Hans rush by," Maddie commented.

"He's in there with her," Drew said, frowning.

"Well, as long as it doesn't upset Darla, it shouldn't be a problem," Maddie said thoughtfully.

"He better not," Drew said.

Ron put his arm around his daughter. "He'll answer to us if he does, Drew."

"I better get back in there," Drew said. "She's getting close to delivery time."

"Give her our love," Jon said giving his sister a hug.

"I will," Drew said. "I'll let you know as soon as he's born."

They watched her leave. Jon turned to look at his youngest sister. "Mads, you getting any visions about this? You don't foresee Dad or me kicking his arse do you?"

Maddie shook her head. "Nothing Jon, I'm sorry."

Jon sighed. "Darla's been through enough."

"Yes she has," Maddie sat back and rubbed at her stomach.

"How are you doing, love?" Ron asked.

"Fine," Maddie said. "She's moving around a bit today."

Ron smiled. "I bet she and Rafe are going to be great friends."

"Oh I hope so," Maddie replied.

"He'll look out for her when they go to Hogwarts," Jon grinned.

Maddie laughed. "Or not want to have anything to do with her."

"Never," Jon chuckled. "We stick together."

"I wonder where Ethan is," Maddie checked her watch. "He said he'd be by soon."

Ron laughed. "He's probably stopping for breakfast for you and the baby."

"Ooooh that would be wonderful," Maddie said.

"Like this?" RJ asked, coming up behind them carrying a big box. "I stopped by O'Leary's and Lexie gave me a big box of pastries."

"Ohhhh...." Maddie stood up. "RJ you are my favourite brother--"

"Hey!" Jon protested.

"Just kidding," Maddie laughed.

"What do you have there, son?" Ron asked as RJ set it down on the table.

"A little of everything," RJ joked.

"Ooooh, chocolate éclairs," Maddie gushed.

"Have at them," RJ sat down. "I already ate my fill... for now."

Maddie picked up the éclair and took a big bite. "Mmmm..."

Ron eagerly pawed through the box. "This all looks so good..."

"Hard to choose, isn't it?" RJ asked grinning at him.

"Very," Ron said.

Maddie told RJ how Darla was doing. "So, we're just waiting."

RJ nodded. "I have a few hours before I have to go in for practise."

"Hopefully, Rafe will make his appearance before then," Ron commented. He hoped his little girl was doing okay.

"I'm sure things are coming along," Maddie said, reaching for another éclair as Ethan appeared with Kiera in his arms.

"Ma!" Kiera called out.

Maddie eagerly took her daughter. "Hello love!"

Kiera's hand immediately went for her mother's stomach. She smiled as she looked at her mother. "Buh."

Maddie laughed. "Blue is not in my stomach, you silly girl."

Kiera giggled.

"Hi," Maddie said to her husband, giving him a kiss.

"Good morning," Ethan said. "How's Darla?"

"Getting ready to be a mum," Maddie said, sitting back down with Kiera.

"And the rest of you are just out here gorging on pastries?" Ethan teased.

"Pretty much," RJ cracked.

"I'd expect nothing less," Ethan grinned.

"Da," Kiera babbled. "Da!"

Ethan tickled her side. "What is it, baby girl?"

"Buh!" Kiera said.

"You should have seen him this morning," Ethan told his wife. "I found him sleeping just outside her crib.

"He just loves her," Maddie kissed the top of Kiera's blonde head.

"He's not the only one," Ron said making a goofy face at his granddaughter.

"Hi!" Kiera shouted.

Ron laughed. "Hi, Kiera Faith."

Kiera reached for him.

Ron took her and she wrapped her little arms around his neck. "My girl."

"That is so sweet," Maddie gushed, tears springing to her eyes.

"Mads, why are you crying?" RJ asked.

"Just hormones," Maddie said.

RJ shook his head. "Okay..."

Ethan rubbed her arm. "How are you feeling?"

"Sleepy," Maddie admitted.

He slid an arm around her. "Kip on my shoulder if you want."

"After I have one more éclair," Maddie said eagerly reaching for another one. "Mrs. O'Leary makes the best ones."

Ethan laughed. "Of course."

In the delivery room, Darla was still feeling little pain. Liam and the delivery nurse were talking quietly in the corner. Drew was shooting daggers in Liam's direction while Luna tried to be the peacekeeper.

"Hans, how is everything going for you in New York?" Luna asked politely.

"Great, Mrs. Weasley," Hans replied. "I've just done a commercial that should start airing over here in the next couple of weeks. It's for a new cologne."

"With Katya?" Drew asked pointedly.

"Her and some others," Hans replied looking down.

Drew humphed and sat back.

"But, I brought my portfolio," Hans said. "If you'd like to look at it..."

"I've seen your pictures," Drew said coolly.

"I bet Rafe's going to look just like his Daddy," Darla said dazedly.

"I hope he has some of you too," Hans said, reaching for his wife's hand.

Darla smiled. "Me too."

"Okay," Liam said coming over. "Darla, we're going to start pushing here. I need everyone to clear away."

Drew and Luna stepped aside.

"You're going to feel more pain again," Liam said. "Deep breaths and I need you to push when I tell you to."

Darla nodded and to her dismay felt the euphoric feeling starting to drift away.

"Take a deep breath," Liam coached. "And push!"

Darla looked over at Hans before she did what Liam asked her to do. She pushed as hard as she could and winced when she felt a sharp pain go through her. "Mmmmm."

"Good," Liam said. "Very good."

Darla felt tears well up in her eyes. "O-okay."

"You're doing great, Dar," Hans encouraged. "Squeeze my hand if you have to."

Darla nodded.

"I need another push," Liam told her. "A nice, big push."

Darla squeezed Hans' hand and pushed as hard as she could again.

"Here's the head!" Liam called out. "A few breaths, then one more push!"

Darla exhaled. "I--can't. I can't do it."

"Yes you can," Hans told her.

"You can do it," Luna encouraged. "Just one more push, Baby."

Darla mustered up what strength she had and pushed as hard as she could.

The sound of a baby's cry filled the room.

"There he is!" Liam announced with a grin.

Tears streamed down Darla's face. "He's---he's okay?"

"He's just fine," Liam said, handing Rafe off to a nurse.

Hans pressed a kiss to his wife's forehead. "Looks like he has your red hair."

"He does?" she asked weakly.

Drew nodded. "He does!"

Darla reached for her son as a nurse brought him over.

"Hello," Darla whispered as she held him in her arms. "I'm your mum and I love you so much."

Hans looked down at his son. "Wow..."

"And that's your dad," Darla said. "He's the one that looks completely gobsmacked."

"He looks just like RJ when he was a baby," Luna said.

Darla smiled. "He does."

"I'd like to hold him," Hans said, gazing at his son.

"Sure," Darla said gingerly handing the baby to him.

Hans grinned. "He has my eyes!"

Darla smiled. "He does."

"I'll go tell everyone the news," Drew said.

"Thanks," Darla said weakly.

Drew smiled at her sister before heading out to the waiting room.

The crowd had grown considerably since the last time she'd stepped out here. She locked eyes with her father. "Rafe is here."

Ron grinned. "How'd Darla do?"

"She's fine and so is he," Drew said giving RJ a hug. "And the baby looks just like you did when you were a baby."

"Well then we know he's going to grow up to be great looking," RJ boasted.

Drew nudged him in the ribs. "Yeah, yeah."

"When can we see them?" Maddie asked.

"Soon," Drew promised. "She's exhausted."

"Tell her congratulations," Maddie said.

"I will," Drew said, giving her sister a hug. "How are you holding up?"

"I'm fine," Maddie assured her.

"Good," Drew said. "Look, why don't you go on back there while I ring Brian to let him know what happened. It's the third room on the left."

"Sounds good," Maddie said. She let Ethan know where she was going then went to see her sister.

Maddie stepped into the room and smiled when she saw her older sister. "Hi, Darla."

"Maddie!" Darla said. "Come see your new nephew!"

Maddie grinned and crossed the room quickly. "Oh, Darla. He's beautiful!"

"He's perfect," Darla said. "Absolutely perfect!"

"Congratulations!" Maddie exclaimed grinning at her sister. "And to you, Hans."

"Thank you," Hans said. "How are you doing?"

"I'm well," Maddie said. "Especially since I have another nephew. Look at that red hair!"

Darla smiled. "You, Noah and Kiera are the only blonde Weasleys."

Maddie laughed. "We like to stand out."

"Is it okay if she holds him?" Darla asked Liam.

"Of course," Liam replied. He smiled at Darla. "Congratulations, Darla."

"Thank you," she said. "For everything you did."

Liam smiled at her once more before he left the room.

Maddie eagerly took her new nephew. "Hello there handsome," she cooed.

Rafe looked up at her and gave her a gummy smile.

Maddie laughed. "Oh you are a charmer!"

Darla smiled sleepily at them.

"You should kip," Maddie said to her sister. "I was exhausted after giving birth."

"I'd like that," Darla said. "I feel like I've just swum the Atlantic Ocean."

"That's natural," Luna kissed her forehead.

Darla looked at her husband. "You're going to stay, right?"

"I can stay," Hans said. "I have to check in with Freddie in a bit..."

Darla nodded. "Okay."

Maddie handed Rafe back to Hans. "Ethan, Kiera and I will come by later," she promised.

"Thanks, Maddie," Darla said softly.

Hans looked at his wife. "Do you want me to stay in here?" he asked her. "Or out in the waiting room?"

"Here, until I fall asleep," Darla replied. "Please?"

"Anything you want," he told her.

Darla smiled at him and closed her eyes.

Hans watched his wife as she fell asleep then looked down at his son. "Hi there," he said softly.

Rafe yawned.

Hans smiled. "I promise I'm going to be here for you."

Luna came up behind him. "I know you will."

Hans nodded. "Nothing else matters now."

"A baby gives you a new perspective, don't they?" Luna said thoughtfully.

Hans nodded. "Sure does."

"It meant a lot for Darla to have you here for this," Luna said. "I know my family hasn't made you feel very welcome..."

"It's understandable," Hans said. "I screwed up."

"You can start over with him," Luna said. "He loves you and he's going to need you."

Hans nodded. "I don't want to miss anything with him."

Luna smiled. "I'll give you some time alone then."

"I'll bring him back to the nursery," Hans said, gazing down at his little boy.

Luna grabbed her bag and left the room.

"I may have messed things up with your mum but I promise I'll be here for you," Hans said to his sleeping son.

Hans placed a kiss on his son's soft cheek. "I love you, Rafe."

*** *** ***

Alexa could hardly believe it, but in a few short weeks, she would be leaving England behind and heading off to University in the States. There was still so much to do and she had managed to convince Gabe to stick his nose out of a book and help her buy some things for her dorm room.

“Okay,” Alexa said as they walked into a store. “I need a twin size duvet set. My mum said this place had some great choices at a reasonable price.”

"That one looks good," Gabriel pointed.

"That's brown," Alexa winced.

"So?" Gabriel asked.

"Well for one thing," Alexa said. "It looks like the colour of poo. I was thinking something a little more exciting."

"So how about that one?" Gabriel pointed to another set.

"That's actually nice," Alexa said smiling at him. "I like that colour, too."

"Then that's taken care of," Gabriel said.

"Not just yet," Alexa said. "I want to take a look at all of them..." She laughed at the wince on his face. "I know shopping isn't your thing."

"Not really," he admitted. "But since it gives me time to spend with you, I don't mind it."

"Such a good boyfriend!" Alexa grinned. She was reaching for the comforter set when she caught sight of the baby clothing section. "Oh, wait! Look at how cute those are!"

"What?" he asked. "Baby clothes?"

Alexa forgot about the bedding sets and made a beeline for the baby clothing. She was taking her role as Saffy and Andrew's baby's godmother very seriously.

Gabriel followed along a bit reluctantly.

"Ooh, this one is in yellow," Alexa said holding up a small outfit. "It would be great for a boy or a girl, since we don't know what the baby is yet."

"It's cute," he nodded.

"I'm going overboard, aren't I?" Alexa asked sheepishly.

"A bit," he said.

Alexa put the outfit back. "I can't help it."

Gabriel smiled. "I'm sure Saffy appreciates it."

Alexa smiled back at him. "I hope so. But, we're here to buy things for my new room. I can focus on the task at hand."

"Good idea," Gabriel said. "Maybe soon we can grab a bite to eat at one of these pubs. I'm starved."

"Shopping does that to you," Alexa teased.

"I should have brought my book," he teased back.

Alexa giggled. "I'm thinking we should attach that anatomy book to your face."

"That would be pretty scary," he said as she grabbed the duvet set she wanted.

"Purple with black flowers," Alexa said. "I think Hannah Barron would flip if she saw this."

Gabriel laughed. "I bet she would."

"Here," Alexa said handing him the duvet set. "Make yourself useful."

"Thanks Lexie," Gabriel struggled with the awkward package.

"What are boyfriends for?" Alexa joked.

"You're lucky I love you," he said teasingly.

"Very lucky," Alexa said leading him over to the pillow section. "Decorative pillows to match..."

"Then what?" he asked her.

"I need to get a lamp and maybe some posters for my walls..."

Gabriel looked pained.

"It won't take long," Alexa reassured him.

"Okay," he said.

"And then we'll have lunch," Alexa said. "I promise."

Gabriel gave her a kiss. "You're too good to me, warden."

Alexa grabbed him by his free arm. "Come on with you."

Gabriel held all her packages as she picked everything out then paid for it.

"Ready to eat or do you want to shop some more?" Alexa asked.

"What do you think?" Gabriel asked as she ducked aside and shrank her parcels down.

"Lunch," Alexa grinned.

"I don't even care where we go," he said ravenously.

"There's a pub across the street," Alexa said.

"Works for me," he took her hand.

"I'm hungry, too," Alexa admitted.

They sat down and grabbed a few menus. "I could eat just about anything right now," he said.

"I'll tell Lavender that if she put a plate of sushi in front of you---" Alexa joked.

"Anything but that," he said quickly.

"Cheeseburger more your style then?" Alexa grinned.

"Perfect," Gabriel said, watching as she went to go order.

Alexa came back a few minutes later to find him looking at his mobile. "Text from Nico?"

"Yeah," Gabriel said. "He really is something else."

"What did he have to say this time?" Alexa slid back into the booth.

"He's in love...again," Gabriel said shaking his head.

"Who's the lucky girl?" Alexa asked.

"Donna," Gabriel said. "I guess he's over his heartbreak over Saffy."

"Good thing," Alexa replied.

"Very good thing," Gabriel agreed.

"Thanks again for shopping with me today," Alexa reached for his hand. "You know what I'm going to be able to fit into a dorm room."

"Not much," Gabriel joked.

"Who knows," Alexa said. "I may never be in there."

"You know you're welcome at my house anytime," Gabriel said.

"Maybe in a few years we'll find our own place together," she ventured.

"You want to live with a bookworm like me?" Gabriel grinned.

"Absolutely," she said, leaning against him.

"Well, you have to live on campus your first year," Gabriel said. "But, when you're a sophomore, we could see about getting a place together."

Alexa grinned. "I can't wait for that."

"Me either," Gabriel said giving her a kiss.

Their food was deposited in front of him and Gabriel broke away. "That smells fantastic."

"Your reward for being such a sweetheart today and carrying my packages," Alexa said. "Extra chips...or I guess I should say fries?"

Gabriel laughed. "You're catching on, O'Leary."

"I'm trying," Alexa laughed.

She dumped half her chips onto his plate. "After this, I should go look at computers."

"Now there's something I like to shop for," Gabriel said. \

"Good because I definitely need your help."

Gabriel grinned before taking a bite of his cheeseburger.

Alexa looked around thoughtfully. "I'll miss England."

"And Saffy," Gabriel guessed.

"That goes without saying," Alexa said.

"I know this is going to be hard for you," Gabriel said reaching for her hand.

"You'll help me," she said softly.

"I will," Gabriel said. "And you know my Gran loves having you come around."

"She's such a lovely woman," Alexa said. "I can't wait to see her more often."

"She said the same about you," Gabriel said. "And that you were welcome for dinner any day of the week."

"When I get tired of dorm gruel, I'll take her up on that," Alexa grinned at him.

"And of course my Dad and Lavender," Gabriel said. "But, you know, I didn't see much of him this summer."

"Really?" Alexa asked.

Gabriel nodded. "Filming."

"Of course," Alexa nodded.

"It's okay," Gabriel said with a shrug. "I mean, I went 18 years without him..."

"I know," Alexa said. "But still... once we get back we'll be so busy with school..."

Gabriel nodded. "Absolutely."

"Just promise me," Alexa said. "We'll still have time for each other. No matter what."

Gabriel reached for her hand. "No matter how busy we both get, we'll always make time for each other."

Alexa smiled at him. "I love you, Gabe."

"I love you, too," Gabriel said softly.

"Maybe if you're not too tired after all this is over we can go back to your dad's flat," Alexa suggested.

"Sure," Gabriel replied. "But I really have to work on this required reading assignment."

"Will that take all night?" she asked impishly.

"It's four chapters," Gabriel said before taking another bite of his burger.

"Well if I know you, that'll take maybe an hour," Alexa said.

"Yeah, like it only took you an hour to get all that stuff," Gabriel joked.

"So are you saying you don't want to be with me?" she asked, pouting.

Gabriel laughed. "No, Lexie. But, I really do have to get this reading finished."

"I won't distract you then," Alexa said. "I'll wait patiently."

Gabriel gave her a kiss. "Thanks, Lexie."

"Come on," she said. "Let's finish up so we can get done with shopping and reading."

"Yes, ma'am," Gabriel grinned.

They finished their food and then went to pick her out a computer. She decided to work on setting that up while Gabriel did his reading.

Gabriel was half-way through his reading when he heard the front door open. He heard his father and Lavender's voices.

"I'm going to say hi," he said to Alexa, setting his book aside.

"I'm just saying it would be nice if we'd have seen more of you this holiday," Lavender was saying to Seamus.

"Lav I'm sorry," Seamus said. "Shooting got backed up when the writer's strike happened."

"Still," Lavender protested.

"I'm sorry," Seamus said again. "I'll make it up to you, Lav."

"It's not me, I'm worried about," Lavender said as Gabe entered the foyer.

Seamus grinned when he saw his son. "Hullo Gabe."

"Dad," Gabriel said smiling at him.

"Evening, Alexa." Lavender said to her stepson's girlfriend. "How did shopping go?"

"Great," Alexa said. "Come here and I'll show you what I bought."

Lavender followed her into the sitting room and Gabriel shook his head. "It was scary today..."

"What was?" Seamus asked distractedly.

"All the shopping," Gabriel said. "But we got everything she needs for her dorm room."

Seamus nodded and pulled out his phone. "I'll just be a second..."

"Sure..." Gabriel stuffed his hands in his pockets.

"Taryn, what the hell are you doing over there?" Seamus barked into his phone. "I don't care. We booked that location two weeks ago...."

Gabriel sighed and headed into the sitting room. It was obvious his father was going to be awhile.

Lavender smiled sympathetically at him. "On the phone again?"

"Yeah," Gabriel said.

Lavender shook her head. "He was on the bloody thing the entire way home."

"He's busy," Gabriel shrugged.

"But, family comes first," Lavender said. "That's what's most important."

"It's not a big deal," Gabriel said uncomfortably.

"Yes, it is," Lavender said. "You're a workaholic, just like your dad."

"I am not," Gabriel said defensively.

"Gabe's just very focused," Alexa said loyally.

"I came out when you two got home," Gabriel said.

"Yes you did," Lavender said giving him a hug. "I just want you and your father to spend some time together before you start school again."

"I'd like that too, but if he's got to film, then he has to film," Gabriel replied.

"The two of you are having dinner with us tonight," Lavender said. She held up her hand. "No arguments. I'm going to have the cook prepare something great!"

"Just not sushi," Gabriel said.

Lavender gave him a nudge "You don't know what you're missing."

"Indigestion?" Gabriel asked, making Alexa laugh.

"I'm going to pretend I didn't hear that," Lavender said heading back to the kitchen. Seamus was just ending one phone call and about to start another when Lavender grabbed the phone out of his hand. "I'll take that, thank you very much."

"Lavender!" Seamus snapped as she clicked it off. "I'm in the middle of something!"

"You can return to your tyrant ways tomorrow," Lavender said pocketing his phone.

"I have business tonight," Seamus glared at her.

"It can wait," Lavender said. "Tonight you are having dinner with your wife and your son. The two people you love most in this world. The two people who have barely seen you this summer."

"Because--" he began.

"Filming, writers' strike," Lavender finished. "Yeah, yeah. But, you can sacrifice one night for us, can't you?"

"I suppose," Seamus grumbled.

"One night," Lavender said giving him a kiss on the cheek.

"I should go," Alexa said to Gabriel. "You should have this time with your dad."

"Stay," Gabriel said. "I'm sure it's---"

"No," Alexa gave him a kiss. "Just ring me afterwards."

Gabriel smiled. "You're going to go back to that shop to buy that outfit for the baby, aren't you?"

Alexa turned red. "Maybe..."

Gabriel laughed. "I know you too well, O'Leary."

"Yes you do," Alexa gave him another kiss. "Ring me when you're done with dinner. You can come over for a bit..."

"I will," Gabriel promised. "Love you."

"I love you too," Alexa smiled at him.

He showed her to the door and marvelled once again at how she was able to shrink down her parcels.

"Have fun," she told him. "No reading."

Gabriel wasn't going to take his chances with his stepmother. After giving his girlfriend one last kiss, he headed back for the kitchen where his father and stepmother were still arguing.

"Seamus you can take TWO hours to have dinner with us," Lavender told him.

"What are we having anyway?" Gabriel asked curiously.

"I don't know yet," Lavender said. "I'm just TRYING to get him to calm down and agree to eat with us lowly normal people."

Seamus sighed and held up his hands. "Okay, Lavender."

"Finally," Lavender said. "When will you stop fighting me? You know you always give in."

"Give in?" Seamus chuckled. "It's more like I'm driven into submission."

"Should I get used to that sort of thing?" Gabriel asked dryly.

"Yes," Seamus said earning a playful punch in the arm from Lavender.

"What do you two feel like?" Lavender asked.

"Anything's fine with me," Gabriel replied.

"I'm in the mood for Italian," Seamus said. "Let's get takeout."

"That sounds good," Lavender said thoughtfully. "I'll order from Bella Italia."

"That sounds great," Gabriel said.

Lavender smiled sweetly at Seamus. "And no, I'm not giving you your mobile back until AFTER dinner."

Seamus made a face at his wife.

"And I've taken your book," Lavender said to Gabriel.

"What?" Gabriel asked.

Lavender just gave him an innocent look before she headed out of the kitchen.

Gabriel looked over at his father. "So..."

"She's something else," Seamus said shaking his head.

"Yeah," Gabriel nodded. "Thankfully there's only one of her, right?"

"Thankfully," Seamus said walking over to the icebox and grabbing himself a bottle of water. "You want one, son?"

"Sure," Gabriel said. "Thanks."

Seamus handed a bottle to his son. "I haven't been around much this summer. I'm sorry for that, Gabe."

"We've all been busy," he shrugged.

"It's no excuse," Seamus said.

"How's your film coming along?" Gabriel asked. "Aside from the strikes and all that..."

"We're way behind schedule," Seamus replied, leaning against the counter.

"Oh," Gabriel said. "I can’t' believe I'm going into my junior year already at school."

"Good, son," Seamus said dryly. "As if I wasn't feeling old enough..."

"You are starting to age a lot," Gabriel said without cracking a smile.

"Et tu, Gabriel?" Seamus asked.

"I'm looking as young as ever," Gabriel said with a grin.

"Oh, you think so?" Seamus asked. "Well, how about you and me head to the park tomorrow and play some football?"

"Really?" Gabriel asked.

Seamus grinned. "Unless you're afraid of losing to your Old Man."

"No way," Gabriel smirked.

Seamus knew he would have to make up the time filming, but Lavender was right. There were more important things. "We'll go tomorrow morning around nine?"

"Sure," Gabriel nodded. "That'll be fun Dad."

"Dinner will be arriving shortly," Lavender announced. "How are we doing in here? Still sulking?"

"Not at all," Seamus said.

"Dad and I are going to play football tomorrow," Gabriel told her.

"Really!" Lavender exclaimed.

"Yes," Seamus replied grinning at her. "You want to come along and cheer us on? Or better yet...would you like to play?"

Lavender wrinkled her nose. "I think not."

Gabriel laughed. "She doesn't do any exercise other than that ...yoga, was it?"

"Yoga is not only good for the body, it's good for the mind," Lavender informed him.

Seamus rolled his eyes. "You don't move and you contort your body into strange poses. I don't see how that rubbish is anything..."

"It makes me limber," Lavender said coquettishly.

Gabriel held up a hand. "Okay, I don't want to know about this..."

Seamus laughed.

"I'll see if Hermione wants to come with me to my next class," Lavender said thoughtfully.

"Like the rabbits need another excuse," Seamus rolled his eyes

"Again," Gabriel said holding up his hand. "Something I don't need to know about."

"I ordered from Bella Italia," Lavender said. "Some lasagne and some pasta. It should be here pretty soon."

"Thanks," Seamus said. "Can I have my mobile now?"

"After we eat," Lavender said primly.

"And my textbook?" Gabriel asked.

"After we eat,” Lavender repeated.

"I think you missed your calling," Gabriel joked. "You should be leading the troops."

"Well," Lavender said. "I do know what's right and we needed some family time."

"Yes, we did," Seamus said putting his arm around her. "Lucky we have you around to remind us of that."

"I hope it's okay if Alexa and I go out after dinner," Gabriel said.

"You're nearly 21 years old," Seamus said. "You don't have to ask permission, Gabe."

"I just wanted to make sure it was okay with the warden," Gabriel joked.

Lavender swatted at him. "You..."

Gabriel laughed.

"This is more like it," Lavender said putting an arm around both of them.

"We know, you were right," Seamus said.

"Say that again?" Lavender asked grinning at him.

"No I don't think I will," Seamus said. "Because you heard it the first time."

The intercom sounded and Gabriel smiled. "That will be the food. I'll get it."

"Here," Seamus handed him some money. "That should take care of it."

"Thanks, Dad," Gabriel said walking out of the kitchen.

Lavender looked at her husband. "You're not going to cancel on him, are you? I think it's great that you're going to play football with him."

"I'm not going to cancel," Seamus replied.

"And you'll leave your mobile turned off?" Lavender asked.

Seamus grimaced.

"Seamus Patrick Finnegan," Lavender said folding her arms.

"I have to leave it on," Seamus said. "I have to be reachable. But I promise, unless it's an emergency, not to make or take phone calls."

Lavender thought about this for a moment. "Okay. I suppose that's alright."

"Well thank you," Seamus said with a grin.

Gabriel came in carrying the food. "Who's hungry?"

"Me!" Seamus said. "Starved, as a matter of fact."

"Lav ordered enough for a small army and then some," Gabriel said setting it down on the table.

Lavender opened the container with the salad. "I'll just have this."

"Lavender, come on," Gabriel said opening the container of lasagne. "This is better."

"Hmm..." Lavender was ready to decline but the spicy smell of the tomato sauce wafted over. "Maybe a small piece..."

"And don't forget the garlic bread," Seamus said before taking a bite.

"Carbs," Lavender said longingly.

"Please," Seamus said. "One night won't hurt."

"Okay," Lavender said taking a bite of the bread. She closed her eyes. "Mmmm...”

Seamus rolled his eyes at his son.

"You know what this reminds me of?" Lavender asked, opening her eyes. "Hillsdale."

"Hillsdale?" Seamus asked. "Why?"

This time, it was Lavender rolling her eyes. "How I would come and visit you in that projection booth and try to get you to stop working and have a little fun."

Seamus laughed. "That was for what, two weeks?"

"Very funny," Lavender said tossing a piece of bread at him.

Gabriel grinned. "So was it love at first sight then?"

"I thought he was cute, and I thought he was interested in me, but then again, there was a projector right next to me," Lavender said.

Seamus shook his head. "I remember this bossy girl that kept trying to bug me and nearly ruined the projector..."

Seamus remembered all too well about the blonde that had turned his head the moment he'd seen her. He'd spent most of his summer at Hillsdale holed up in the projection room, but when Neville had asked him for help nailing Draco Malfoy and Ginny Weasley he hadn't hesitated to help. But, now that was in the past, he had to concentrate on getting to work.

Dursley had ordered him to set up a projector and movie in the ballroom for that night.

"Hello?" Lavender Brown called out from the doorway.

Seamus didn't turn away from the projector. That's all he needed----a guest hounding him about something.

"Seamus?" Lavender asked. "Are you in here?" she stumbled over a stack of movies.

Seamus turned at the sound of the commotion. "Lavender? What are you doing up here?"

"We're leaving today," Lavender told him. "Hermione's off somewhere with Harry... so I thought I'd find you."

Seamus was happy to see her, but Dursley was on the warpath. Seamus bent down to pick up the movies that Lavender had knocked over. "Oh, right."

"Are you busy?" she asked.

"Just a little," Seamus admitted.

Lavender leaned against the projector and it turned on, startling her. "Ooops."

Seamus reached over and snapped it off.

"Sorry," Lavender apologised. She looked over at the small desk. "What's that?"

Seamus sighed. "Nothing, just a project I'm working on for film school."

"You said you'd tell me more about film school," Lavender said.

"There's not that much to tell," Seamus said stacking the movies on the shelf.

Lavender fiddled with the edge of her shirt. She wondered what was going on and why he was suddenly being so distant.

"It's funny," Lavender said. "I was here all summer and I didn't even know you were up here. I wish I'd met you sooner..."

"Mmmhmm," Seamus murmured distractedly.

"You know... instead of messing about with Malfoy," Lavender said a bit shyly.

Seamus turned and looked properly at her. "What?"

"Nothing," Lavender said hastily.

"You have a smudge or something on your nose," Seamus said.

"Oh," she said. "Thanks."

"It was probably from the film canister," Seamus said handing her a tissue. "They get a little dirty..."

"Thank you," she said gratefully.

Seamus smiled as he handed her a tissue. "No problem."

Lavender chanced a smile back at him.

"I get a little sidetracked when I'm working," Seamus apologised.

"I can tell," she said softly.

"And Dursley's still pissed about what happened with Dudley so he's taking it out on the staff," Seamus explained.

"Oh," Lavender nodded. "I understand."

"No excuse for me being rude," Seamus said.

Lavender scuffed her foot. "You weren't rude..."

"I was," Seamus said. "To make up for it, how about I grab us a couple of sodas?"

"That would be great," Lavender said.

Seamus smiled. "I'll be right back. Make yourself at home."

"Okay," Lavender perched on the edge of the chair he'd been sitting in.

Her eyes wondered to the notebook where he'd scribbled some notes. She knew she shouldn't read it, but her curiosity got the better of her.

She gingerly picked it up and began to thumb through it.

"I didn't know what you wanted so I got---" Seamus said coming back into the room. "What are you doing?"

"Nothing!" she said, dropping the notebook back on the desk.

Seamus laughed. "You were looking at my notebook."

"I didn’t' see anything," she said quickly.

Seamus handed her a can of soda. "What did you think of the plot?"

"Plot?" Lavender played dumb.

"Of my film," Seamus said leaning against the desk.

"I really didn't read that much," she said. "But what I saw was good..."

"Really?" Seamus asked. "You're not just saying that because you fancy me?"

Lavender blushed.

Seamus grinned. "Sorry..."

Lavender took the soda. "This flavour is fine."

"So, you're leaving today?" Seamus asked curiously.

"Yeah," she said. "In a few hours."

"Harry told me he's moving in with your cousin," Seamus commented.

"Apparently," Lavender said. "I can hardly believe it."

"They didn't waste any time did they?" Seamus commented.

"They're in love," Lavender said wistfully.

"Kind of happened fast," Seamus said. "Don't you think?"

Lavender shrugged. "Perhaps."

"But, then again, I guess when it happens, you just know," Seamus said thoughtfully.

"I think you do," Lavender nodded.

"Ever happen for you?" Seamus asked. "And I hope you don't say 'Malfoy'."

Lavender made a face.

Seamus chuckled. "I'll take that as a no."

"Not yet," Lavender said. "I'm sure someday..."

"For me as well," Seamus said smiling at her.

"When you're not working on a screenplay?" she teased.

Seamus grinned. "I'll see if I can pencil it in between filming."

"I'm looking to get into fashion design," Lavender said.

"Really?" Seamus asked.

Lavender nodded.

"You said you were going to work in a boutique right?" Seamus asked, remembering their last conversation.

"Yes," she said. "When we get back home."

"Well," Seamus said stepping closer. "Perhaps, I could take you out sometime..."

Lavender brightened. "I'd love that."

"I would too," Seamus said. "Even though we're both going to be busy."

"I'm sure we can spare some time for each other," Lavender said.

Seamus was leaning in to give her a kiss when he heard Dursley barking out for him. "Hold that thought..."

Lavender nodded and moved so she wouldn't be seen.

She smiled as she thought of going out with the sweet Irish bloke. He worked a little too hard, but she would make sure they found time for each other. "Even back then you were a workaholic," Lavender recalled.

"I was just getting started," Seamus protested.

"I can respect that, Dad," Gabriel commented. "I mean, you want to prove yourself and when no one knows who you are, you have to work twice as hard to get noticed."

Seamus nodded. "That's how it was at the beginning."

"And look at you now," Gabriel said proudly.

"And you," Seamus said.

"And Lavender, too," Gabriel commented.

"Thank you Gabriel," Lavender beamed. "I have worked hard!"

"Our fashionista," Seamus teased.

Lavender laughed. "I always did like that title."

Seamus raised his glass. "Here's to working hard and taking it easy thanks to our little fashionista."

Gabriel copied his father. "It was nice to sit down at least once this summer."

"We'll do it again before you go back," Lavender promised.

"Sounds good," Gabriel nodded.

"And we'll have you and Alexa over when we're all in California," Lavender said.

"She's excited about moving there," Gabriel said.

"And so are you," Lavender grinned.

"I'm more than excited," Gabriel agreed.

"I'm happy for you, son," Seamus said reaching for another piece of garlic bread.

"Thanks Dad," Gabriel said.

"And I'm going to win tomorrow," Seamus said.

Gabriel scoffed. "Yeah right."

"You got that athleticism from me, son," Seamus said grinning. "Your mum wasn't much of an athlete."

"Not at all," Gabriel agreed.

"I bet she would have liked yoga," Lavender commented.

"I don't know," Gabriel said. "Mum never was much for exercising. She would jog around the block a few times and that was it."

"So, you see?" Seamus asked him. "You're the athlete you are today because of my genetics."

"Thanks," Gabriel said with a grin.

"You're welcome," Seamus said. Lavender rolled her eyes.

"Honestly," she said, using one of Hermione's favourite quotes. "While you two are off playing, I'll go over and visit with Saffron."

"Let me guess," Seamus joked. "You want to give her baby clothes. Lav, they don't even know if it's a boy or girl yet."

"I am designing some new items for the Saffron line inspired by the baby," Lavender sniffed.

"You and Lex have gone baby crazy," Gabriel teased.

"Wait until the baby is born," Lavender told him. "Just you wait."

Seamus felt a little wistful as he thought about what he'd missed of his own son's childhood.

He would always regret that he had not been there for Sam when Gabriel was born but now that his son was in his life there was no way Seamus was missing anything important ever again.

278. Chapter 278

Authors’ note: Happy Valentine’s Day…we have a feeling that you will enjoy this chapter.

Things had been strained at best between Ashley and Katie for the remainder of the summer. They had been pretty much home bound since returning from Brighton due to their punishment and it was with lots of relief that they went shopping with Julie for school items.

Katie had accompanied her sister and parents many times to buy school things for Ashley. But, it was different now. "I need a cauldron," Katie said looking at her letter. "And I don't want just any cauldron. I want the best one."

"You'll get a good one," Julie told her. "One that fits your needs."

"I want to pick out my wand, too," Katie said.

"You don't really get to pick it," Ashley told her. "The wand kind of chooses you. At least that's what Mr. Olivander says."

"Well if it's an ugly one, I don't want it," Katie said.

Ashley rolled her eyes.

"And I want an owl like Grandpa used to have," Katie said tossing her hair over her shoulder.

"Katherine Rose," Julie said firmly. "We are here to buy you what is needed."

"Fine," Katie said innocently.

"I think we should see about your wand first," Julie announced. "Ashley, if you want to go to the book shop instead, we'll meet you over there."

"Okay," Ashley agreed.

"Do they make gold wands?" Katie asked her mother.

"I don't know," Julie said.

"I want a gold one," Katie announced. Ashley again rolled her eyes before she walked toward the book shop. She pulled out the letter that listed her school books for the term.

It was quite crowded inside and Ashley had to fight her way over to the shelves.

"Standard Book of Spells Grade Three," Ashley said to herself.

Another arm reached for the same copy. "Ash!" Brittany exclaimed.

Ashley looked at her friend in surprise. "Brit--what---what are you doing here?"

"Getting school stuff," Brittany hugged her.

"Oh, right," Ashley said. "Me, too."

"I've missed you this summer," Brittany said. "Look at these awful things in my mouth. I look like such a wretch."

Ashley laughed. "Brit, you look gorgeous. Braces or no braces."

"You're sweet to lie," Brittany said dramatically. "I've missed you like mad. Are you still grounded?"

Ashley nodded. "My mum's at Olivander's with Katie."

"Oh right," Brittany nodded. "Katie's going to be a first year."

Ashley sighed. "I don't know if Hogwarts is ready for Katie."

Brittany smiled at her. "I'm sure we'll all handle it."

"Brit, I've been looking everywhere for that--" Zander was saying as he came around the corner. He stopped short when he saw his cousin wasn't alone.

Ashley turned red. "Hi Zander," she said softly.

"Hello," Zander said quietly.

"I was just buying my books," Ashley said awkwardly.

"Us too," Brittany said, trying to break the tension.

"How's your summer been?" Ashley asked, talking to both but aiming her question at Zander. "Since... since Brighton?"

"My summer of metal, you mean?" Brittany said sarcastically.

"You look great," both of them said automatically.

Zander's cheeks reddened.

"Whatever," Brittany said. "My life as I know it is over."

"I, um, I'm going to go look upstairs for that book," Zander said.

Ashley sighed as Zander hurried away. "He still hates me."

"He doesn't hate you," Brittany reassured her.

"Could have fooled me," Ashley said sadly.

"He's just a little angry is all," Brittany said. "I can't say as I blame him. You guys were perfect together Ashley. It's a pretty stupid reason to break things off. And he's not with that horrid Lucy."

"It was just too much," Ashley said. "Too much for me to handle at once. So many things happened this summer."

"How's your aunt by the way?" Brittany asked. "I read in the Prophet that she and Andrew are engaged again!"

Ashley nodded. "He's going to adopt her baby when it's born."

Brittany grinned. "I knew he would. He's such a great bloke!"

"He really is," Ashley nodded. "So the wedding is back on, and I think it's going to be sometime next summer."

"Awww," Brittany gushed. "The baby will be here then!"

"Exactly," Ashley said. "She said she didn't want to get married with her stomach three feet in front of her."

Brittany giggled. "I can understand that." She saw Zander was watching them from upstairs. "Ash...maybe you could go and talk to him..."

"What am I going to say?" Ashley asked.

"Anything," Brittany said. "Just to get over this awkwardness..."

"I don't know," Ashley said. "He wants to get back together... but I think we're better off as friends. I'm not ready to be in a relationship."

"Tell him that," Brittany said. "And I'm not on anyone's side here. I'm Switzerland. Completely neutral. I want you to get along because I'm not going to be the owl that runs messages between the two of you."

"I understand," Ashley told her.

"I'll be in the romance section," Brittany said winking at her.

Ashley had to smile as she headed up the stairs.

She found Zander in the Ancient Runes section. "I didn't realise you were going to take that this term," she said softly.

"Yeah," he said. "I thought it seemed pretty interesting."

"I'm taking it too," Ashley said.

"That's nice," he said, moving down the shelf.

"And we get to go to Hogsmeade this year," Ashley said hoping to engage him in conversation. "That should be pretty cool, right?"

"It'll be great," Zander said noncommittally.

"Zander," Ashley said touching his arm.

He looked over at her, his expression softening.

"You're my best friend," Ashley said.

He nodded. "This hasn’t' been easy."

"I want to be your friend again," Ashley said.

He had missed her, both as a girlfriend and her friendship. "Me too," he admitted quietly.

"And we're both going to have to be there to reassure Brittany about her braces," Ashley said. "I can't do that on my own."

Zander had to grin. "I haven't even been able to do it on my own."

Ashley laughed. "How bad has it been?"

"Put it this way," Zander said. "Even Evan can't convince her otherwise."

"We have two more years of this," Ashley groaned.

He shook his head. "Hopefully we can get through it."

"Together?" Ashley asked hopefully. "Come on...I have to also deal with my little sister being at Hogwarts, too."

Zander nodded.

"Really?" Ashley asked.

"Yeah," he said. "I mean... it may still be a little awkward, but we can try, right?"

"I'd like that more than anything," Ashley said, taking a chance and giving him a hug. "I've missed you, Zander."

"I missed you too," he said.

Ashley felt happier than she had in weeks. "Is Brit taking Ancient Runes, too?" Zander laughed. "No. She's in Divination."

"That doesn't surprise me at all," Ashley said, picking out the rest of her books.

"No, that's right up her alley," Zander said. "Here...I'll carry those for you."

"Thanks," Ashley said. "I have to wait for my mum and Katie. They're getting her wand and who knows how long that will take?"

Zander nodded. "Maybe she won't be that bad at Hogwarts. I mean, your mum is a professor there."

"I hope not," Ashley said.

"I hope this means that you're talking and everything's normal," Brittany said when they met her downstairs.

"Yes," Ashley said, feeling better than she had in ages.

"Fantastic," Brittany said. "Because the two of you were really starting to get on my nerves."

"Shut it, metal mouth," Zander said.

"Zander," Brittany glared at him.

"Didn't mean it," he said sheepishly.

Ashley laughed. "I have missed you guys so much."

"We missed you too," Brittany said. "Don't go getting yourself grounded like this ever again!"

"I promise," Ashley said giving her a hug.

"Hello Brittany," Julie said. "Hi Zander."

The three friends turned. "Professor Malfoy," Brittany said. "Hi, we just ran into each other."

"It's nice to see you both," Julie said.

Katie smiled smugly at her sister and mouthed the word "trouble" in her direction.

Ashley gave her a dirty look. "I got all my books, Mum." she took them from Zander.

"Oh, great," Julie said. "We took a little longer in Olivander's than I expected."

"Did you get a cool wand?" Brittany asked Katie.

"Yes," Katie said taking the box out of the bag and opening it. "It has unicorn hair in it and it has a silver tip."

"That's really pretty!" Brittany said admiringly.

"After she turned down the three wands Mr. Olivander picked out for her," Julie said.

"Katie!" Ashley exclaimed.

"They were ghastly," Katie replied. "I can't carry something ugly around, Ashley."

Ashley only shook her head.

"Mr. Olivander was telling me about Grandpa's wand, Mummy's wand, Aunt Saffy's wand..."

"It's a very lovely wand," Julie told her daughter.

"I bet it's the prettiest one ever made," Katie said admiring it.

"I'm sure it is," Ashley said.

"Are your parents here?" Julie asked Zander.

"They're waiting for us outside," Zander said nervously.

"Relax, you're not in trouble," Julie reassured him.

Zander relaxed visibly and Katie looked disappointed.

"I need to help Katie find her books," Julie said. "Ashley, if you'd like to spend time with your friends..."

"Really?" Ashley asked.

"Really," Julie replied. "As of now, you and your sister are free on good behaviour."

"REALLY?" Katie and Ashley both shrieked.

Julie laughed. "Yes. Ashley, leave your books at the counter and I'll pay for them when I have Katie's."

"Thanks Mum," Ashley said happily.

"What happened to your mouth?" Katie asked looking at Brittany in horror.

"KATIE!" Ashley snapped.

"Sorry," Katie said hastily.

"You look lovely," Julie reassured Brittany.

"It's okay," Brittany said heavily. "Two years I have to be deformed..."

"You're not deformed," Julie said. "I had to wear braces and so did my sister."

"You did?" Brittany asked.

Julie nodded. "Next time you're over at the house, I'll show you the photographs."

Brittany looked hopeful for the first time since getting her braces.

"Come on, Mummy," Katie said tugging on her mother's arm.

"Twenty minutes," Julie told her oldest daughter.

Ashley nodded. "Thanks, Mum."

"You're off grounding!" Brittany said happily. "Come on, let's go to Florean's!"

Zander nodded. "I'll go tell my dad that we've finished. Be right back."

"So you guys are okay?" Brittany asked.

Ashley nodded. "We had a good talk."

"Thank Merlin," Brittany said dramatically.

"It might still be awkward for awhile," Ashley said.

"But you're talking," Brittany said. "That’s all that matters."

Ashley nodded. "So how has he been, really?"

"Really down in the dumps," Brittany said.

"Me too," Ashley said.

"Well you were probably bored," Brittany said.

"Somewhat, but I was able to do a lot of sketches," Ashley said. "I'll show them to you on the train."

"That's cool," Brittany nodded.

Zander came back into the shop with his father. Mr. Murray greeted Ashley and said he would leave her books at the counter. The three friends set off to get ice cream.

"This is so great," Brittany said happily.

Zander was going to make a smart remark, but Ashley sensed it, and nudged him. "Don't," she whispered.

"Fine," he said.

Ashley grinned. "It is pretty great, though."

"Now that you're free," Brittany nudged her.

Ashley laughed. "Free at last!"

"How come Ashley gets to go out with her friends?" Katie whined to Julie.

"Because they showed up," Julie replied. "And before you say anything, I was thinking you could invite Caroline over for a sleepover."

Katie brightened. "Okay!"

Julie smiled. "I know you're going to miss her when you go to school."

"I'll write to her," Katie said.

"The two of you have been through a lot together," Julie said. "I can still remember the two of you playing together when you were babies."

"I bet we had fun," Katie said as Julie pulled a few books down from the shelves.

"You did," Julie recalled.

"That looks like a boring book," Katie pointed to History of Magic.

"Sweetheart, this is a very interesting book," Julie said. "I wore out my copy my first year. It's so interesting to see how our world has evolved."

"I guess," Katie said unenthusiastically.

"If you need any help, you know where I'll be," Julie said putting an arm around her.

Katie nodded.

"You're going to love it at Hogwarts," Julie said. "And you'll have your sister and me to help you."

"Ash won't want to help me," Katie made a face.

"She would," Julie said. "Katie, she loves you."

Katie only shrugged.

"I'm so proud of you and the hard work you've put in on your reading," Julie said.

Katie straightened up proudly. "Thanks Mummy."

"And I suppose we could get you an owl," Julie said. "If you promise to share it with Ashley."

"Really?" Katie asked.

"Really," Julie said. "And maybe we can find one like Hedwig."

"A really pretty white one," Katie nodded.

"And you'll have to come up with a good name," Julie said.

"I will," Katie nodded. "I mean... we will."

"That's my girl," Julie said grinning at her.

Katie couldn't wait to tell her sister about the owl.

They headed for the counter to pay for the books. A young girl about Katie's age gave Katie the once-over in the queue. "You're Katherine Malfoy, right?"

"Yes..." Katie said slowly.

"I'm Miranda Zabini," the girl said. "My grandfather went to school with your grandfather...well, both of your grandfathers."

"Oh..." Katie said. "You mean my dad's dad?"

Miranda nodded. "They were in Slytherin House together. Back when the name 'Malfoy' meant something."

Julie put her hand on Katie's shoulder. "Come on, sweetheart."

"What does she mean, Mummy?" Katie asked.

"Nothing," Julie said evenly.

"The name Malfoy has always meant something," Katie said to the other girl.

"Not from what I hear," Miranda said disdainfully.

"That family fell into a shame spiral when Draco Malfoy married into that dreadful Weasley family," Miranda's mother said. "And then his ungrateful son carried on the family tradition by marrying...the mud--"

"That's my mum," Katie said angrily.

"Madam," Julie said through clenched teeth. "I'd appreciate it if you and daughter would refrain from making comments about my family."

Miranda's mother gave a superior sniff and turned her back on Julie.

"What was she talking about, Mummy?" Katie asked looking up at her mother.

"Nothing worth repeating," Julie said. "Unfortunately, there are still some prejudiced people in our world. We have to ignore what they say."

"But the Malfoy name has always meant something," Katie said confused. "Daddy's famous."

"His grandfather wasn't a very good man," Julie tried to explain. "And most people know our last name from that."

"Oh," Katie said. She vaguely remembered the grandfather they'd met briefly in Australia when she was little. But, she'd never met her great-grandfather. "He's not in Azkaban, is he?"

Julie nodded. "Thankfully."

"Oh," Katie said thoughtfully.

"Just don't listen to any of it," Julie told her.

"Okay," Katie said, but she was secretly wondering if everyone at Hogwarts knew that her great-grandfather was in Azkaban. This was beyond embarrassing!

Julie patted her shoulder. "That's my girl."

They finished paying for Katie and Ashley's books. Katie found that she was glad Ashley was with her friends. She liked having her mother and her mother's money all to herself.

"All right," Julie said. "Let's go find your sister and tell her we're going to the cauldron shop."

"Okay," Katie grumbled.

"Or would you rather have your robe fitting first?" Julie asked.

"Ooh," Katie said eagerly. "The robe fitting, please!"

Julie laughed. "All right."

"Mummy, when do I find out what house I'm in?" Katie asked. "Uncle Ethan said I had to swim the moat first."

Julie shook her head. "You don't have to swim in the moat. You'll find out what house you're in right before dinner.

Katie sighed in relief. "I'm glad. Uncle Ethan had me scared."

"He was terrified when he got there too," Julie told her.

"He was?" Katie asked.

"Petrified," Julie said. "I told him he had to battle the Giant Squid."

Katie giggled. "Mummy!"

"It's a rite of passage," Julie grinned.

They entered Madam Malkin's, which was crowded. But, it helped when you know one of the shop girls. Katie recognised her Aunt Saffron's friend Beth behind the counter.

"Hi, Professor Malfoy," Beth said smiling at her.

"Hello Beth," Julie smiled at her. "When did you start working here?"

"A couple of months ago," Beth replied. "How's Saffy doing? I've been meaning to owl her."

"She's great," Julie said. "Positively glowing."

"She's going to the doctor today to find out if it's a boy or a girl," Katie said to Beth.

Beth's eyes grew huge. "SERIOUSLY?"

Julie nodded. "At first, she didn't want to know, but I think curiosity is getting the better of her. So, the healer's going to tell her today."

"Ooooh I have to owl her right away then," Beth said. "Well... soon as I get out of here."

Julie smiled. "I'm sure she'd love to hear from you. But, for now, I'd like to have Katie fitted for her first set of robes."

"Absolutely!" Beth grabbed a tape measure.

"It's my first year," Katie announced proudly.

"I can't believe it," Beth said.

"Neither can I," Julie said while Beth measured Katie.

"I want some purple robes," Katie told her mother.

"Sweetheart, you really don't have a choice on the colour," Julie told her. "All students wear standard black robes."

"But I want to be different," Katie protested.

"So did I, but it's always been that way," Beth said making notes of Katie's measurements. "But, you'll dress it up with the good old Gryffindor red and gold."

Katie nodded. "Of course I will."

Beth smiled at her. "Okay...I think I have just the set for you. I'll be right back."

"I thought they had to make them then we pick them up," Katie said once Beth had disappeared.

"Not anymore," Julie replied. "They've come quite a ways since I was your age." Julie smoothed her daughter's brown hair. "My baby girl."

"Mummy," Katie said. "You promised not to say that in public!"

Julie laughed. "I'm sorry. You're right."

"What else do we have to buy?" Katie asked.

"The cauldron and your owl," Julie replied. "But, we should collect your sister first."

Katie nodded. "For the owl."

Beth came back with four sets of black robes. Katie still wasn't too crazy about the colour, but they fit well. She knew that she could dress it up with the Gryffindor red and gold.

"A perfect fit," Beth said. "Katie you're going to have such a great little figure in another year or so!"

Katie beamed at her. "Thank you."

"Thank you so much for your help, Beth." Julie said. "I'm sure we'll be seeing you soon."

"Absolutely," Beth replied. "And I'll just put this on your tab, Professor."

Julie nodded. "Perfect."

They left Madam Malkin's and found Ashley. They waited as she said goodbye to her friends.

"I'll owl you both later," Ashley promised. "And Brit... braces are...."

Brittany held up a hand. "Save it, Ash. They are my cross to bear. I'm stuck with these horrid things for two years."

"Brilliant," Ashley said. "Braces are brilliant."

Brittany gave her a hug. "Liar. I'll see you soon."

"Okay," Ashley said. "Talk to you later."

Zander smiled. "Bye, Ashley."

"See you," Ashley grinned at him. "I'll owl you tonight."

Katie rolled her eyes. "Come on, Ashley! Let's go!"

Ashley shook her head. "Fine, Katie."

Julie looked at her oldest daughter. She hadn't seen her this happy in weeks. "You had fun with your friends?"

Ashley nodded. "It was good to catch up with them."

"Forget about them," Katie said excitedly. "Mummy's going to buy me---I mean us---an owl."

"What?" Ashley's eyes grew huge. "Our own owl?"

Katie nodded. "Isn't it great?"

"SO great!" Ashley hugged her mother.

Julie smiled. "I'm proud of both my girls. If you can share the owl, your father and I are happy to provide you with one."

"We can definitely share," Ashley nodded.

"Absolutely," Katie said. "We share Sophie."

"And when I'm a seventh year I can take her to school," Ashley said. "So we can both have her there then."

"Thanks to Aunt Saffy," Katie said.

Julie nodded. She hoped that her sister's appointment with the healer was going well.

Saffron was actually feeling very impatient. She was starving and she had to use the loo. They'd been waiting to see the healer for the past half hour.

"Saffy, you know you can't eat anything until afterwards," Andrew reminded her.

"But you don't even know how hungry I am," Saffron complained.

"Yes, I do," Andrew grinned. "You told me about seven times since we sat down."

Saffron frowned at him. "You're taking this entirely too lightly.”

"I'm not," Andrew said. "I promised to take you out to lunch as soon as we finished."

"Anywhere?" Saffron asked.

"Anywhere you want," Andrew said.

Saffron smiled. "You know what does sound good? Hagrid's rock cakes... with a nice big smear of pepper jelly on top."

Andrew looked at her. She must be hungry if she thought Hagrid's rock cakes sounded appetizing. "Um...sure."

"With a nice big glass of butterbeer," Saffron sighed. "But I can't have butterbeer."

"Miss Potter?" the receptionist said. "Healer Parkinson will see you now."

"Finally," Saffron muttered.

Andrew took her hand and followed her into the examination room. Saffron stepped behind the curtain and changed into an examination gown. "Ooooh, I know what I want, Andrew," Saffron said to him from behind the curtain. "Greta's peanut butter and jelly sandwich."

"If that's all you want, I can make that for you," Andrew said.

"But it's not the way Greta makes it," Saffron said.

Andrew laughed. "Okay, we'll go by Nick and Julie's when we finish."

"That works for me," Saffron came out and sat on the exam table.

There was a knock on the door. Saffron smiled as Pansy Parkinson came into the room. She liked the idea that the same healer that had delivered her was going to deliver her baby.

"Good morning, Saffron," Pansy said warmly.

"Hello, Healer Parkinson," Saffron said. "It's good to see you again."

"And Andrew," Pansy nodded to him. "I'm glad you're both here."

Andrew squeezed Saffron's hand.

"So we're hoping to find out the sex today, right?" Pansy asked.

Saffron nodded. "Yes, please."

Pansy nodded and began making some marks on Saffron's chart.

The nurse helped prepare Saffron for the procedure. Andrew took a seat beside his fiancée’s bed and held her hand.

"Okay," Pansy looked over the information that had been sent over from the Muggle doctor Saffron had seen.

Pansy put some cold gel on Saffron's stomach and then muttered a spell as she waved her wand over Saffron's belly. The sound of the baby's heartbeat filled the room and a picture of the baby appeared on the opposite wall.

"Oh," Saffron sighed happily. She would never get tired of seeing her baby.

"Look at him!" Andrew exclaimed.

Pansy smiled. "That would be a ...her, Andrew."

Saffron gasped. "I'm having a girl?"

"Yes, you are," Pansy replied with a grin. "There's her hand...and that's her leg..."

Saffron's eyes filled with tears. "Our daughter."

Pansy looked at the notes from the Muggle doctor and then at the image of the baby. "Um..."

"Is something wrong?" Andrew asked.

"Yes," Pansy replied. "The notes from your Muggle doctor said that your conception date was March 13th. But, the baby's---the baby's actually older than that. Without a shadow of a doubt, you conceived February 28th."

Saffron stared at her, unable to speak.

Pansy shook her head. "Muggle doctors think they know everything with their fancy machines, but they're really off quite a bit."

"But then that means..." Saffron's eyes filled with tears. "That means it's not Daniel O'Neal's..."

Andrew was in a bit of shock himself. "Are---are you sure, Healer Parkinson?"

"Quite positive," Pansy said. "I can run a paternity spell right now if you'd like."

"Yes, please," Andrew said. He didn't want to get his hopes up to have them dashed again. He wanted to be certain.

Saffron nodded. "That would be wonderful..." she couldn't help the hopeful feeling that flared up inside her.

Andrew squeezed her hand and then turned his attention to the healer. "What do we have to do?"

Pansy mixed a few ingredients together from some bottles in the corner. "Both of you drink this. If you're the father, Andrew, then you'll both glow red for a moment."

Andrew nodded and took the bottle from her. He looked at Saffron and both of them downed the contents at the same time.

For a few moments, nothing happened. Saffron knew it had been too good to be true. But, she noticed that Andrew had started to glow red. To her delight, she saw that she had too. "Andrew? Ellie's---Ellie's yours."

279. Chapter 279 Good News Travels Fast

Authors’ note: Thank you guys so much for the response to the last chapter! The happiness continues for Andrew and Saffron in this chapter as they share the good news with their family!

Andrew looked completely dumbfounded.

Pansy smiled. "How about I give you two a few moments alone?'

"Thank you," Saffron said, her eyes welling with tears.

Pansy walked out of the room, leaving the couple alone. Andrew cupped Saffron's face in his hands. "She's ours, Saffy. Yours and mine."

"I know," Saffron began to sob. "I can't believe it!"

Andrew kissed her. "Saffy."

"I'm sorry," she wiped at her eyes.

"No need to apologise," Andrew said grinning at her. "I was already happy, but I'm completely over the moon now." He looked at the image of their daughter on the wall. "Look at her."

"I know," Saffron rested her head on his chest as they both gazed at the figure. "I'm so happy, Andrew. This is the best day of my life."

"Mine too," Andrew said softly. "February 28th. I remember that night."

"Me too," Saffron nodded.

"You made that dinner for me," Andrew said.

Saffron smiled. "Now we know what a special night it really was."

Andrew gave her another kiss. "I love you so much."

"I love you too," Saffron pressed her forehead to his.

"And she'll be here for Christmas," Andrew said. "Ellie's first Christmas."

"Ellie," Saffron said softly.

"I would have loved her the same no matter what," Andrew said.

"I know," Saffron said. "You're amazing."

"You are," Andrew said smiling at her.

Saffron hugged him. "I can't believe this. I really can't."

"It's the best news in the world," Andrew said happily. "And she's healthy, Saffy."

Saffron nodded.

Pansy came back into the room. "I assume you'd like to have a photo to take home?'

"That would be fantastic," Saffron said. "And if I could, one for my parents? And one for his?"

"Of course," Pansy said.

"Thanks," Saffron said gratefully. "You've made this the best day."

"Muggle doctors mean well, but they rely too much on those machines," Pansy said shaking her head. "And their paternity tests take weeks..."

"I'm so glad this didn't," Saffron squeezed Andrew's hand. "He's going to be the best father."

Andrew smiled. "And you're going to be a great mum."

Pansy smiled as she finished doing the rest of the exams.

Pansy handed them the photographs. "She's looking great. I want to see you in a couple of weeks and you should keep taking those vitamins."

"Okay," Saffron nodded.

"Give your mother my best," Pansy said.

"I will," Saffron promised. "Thank you so, so much."

Andrew grinned. "Let's get you dressed so we can tell everyone the great news."

Saffron threw herself into his arms. "I'm so excited!"

Andrew laughed and hugged her tightly. "Me, too, Saf. Me, too."

Saffron kissed him again. "Let's go tell our parents first."

"And then we'll go to Greta's so you can get that big peanut butter and jelly sandwich," Andrew said.

"Ooooh yes," Saffron nodded. "Maybe we'll actually go THERE first..."

Andrew grinned. "How about I ring them and have them meet us over there?"

"You are perfect," Saffron kissed him. "Completely and utterly perfect."

Andrew touched her stomach. "Ellie, remember that one, too."

Saffron laughed. "I always think you're perfect."

Nearly ten minutes later, the two of them were sitting in the kitchen at Nick and Julie's. Saffron was working on her first peanut butter and jelly sandwich while Greta was making her another one. They hadn't told her yet what was going on, preferring to wait until everyone had arrived.

"Greta, this is the best," Saffron said before taking another bite.

"I'm glad you like them," Greta said. "I'll make as many as you want me to."

Saffron beamed at her. "You're the best. Isn't she, Andrew?"

"You just said that about me," Andrew teased.

Saffron laughed. "You know, someday you'll be making these for our little girl, Greta."

Greta stopped. "You're having a girl?"

Andrew nodded. "Yeah, we just found out." He showed her the photograph.

"That's wonderful," Greta's eyes were shiny as she hugged her former charge.

Saffron smiled. "It is. Oh, Greta, I'm just so happy!"

"Good," Greta said. "You deserve happiness after everything you've gone through."

"Here, here," Andrew agreed.

They heard a popping sound from the sitting room. Saffron shared a look with Andrew. "Mum? Dad?"

"Hi baby," Hermione said. "What's going on?"

Andy and Tricia Kirke followed Harry into the kitchen.

"Andrew and I were at the healer's today," Saffron told them. "And we have good news. First off, the baby is a girl."

Hermione clapped her hands together. "How wonderful!"

Tricia gave Andrew a hug. "That's fantastic news, Andrew! And she's healthy and everything?"

"She's perfect," Andrew said. "And here's the best bit of news. I'm the father. Not O'Neal."

"What?" Hermione asked.

"Andrew's the biological father," Saffron said happily. "Healer Parkinson did a paternity test, and she also figured out that Ellie was conceived before that whole... situation ever happened."

Harry gave his daughter a hug. "Sweetheart."

Saffron grinned. "It's the best news ever!"

Andy clapped his son on the back. "Andrew, this is great news."

"Thanks Dad," Andrew said with a grin.

"And we're still going to name her after Gran," Saffron said. "Elinore Granger Kirke. We're going to call her 'Ellie'."

"I think that's lovely," Hermione said softly.

"It's a beautiful name," Tricia agreed. She wiped at her eyes. "So, I guess this means she'll be arriving earlier than we planned, eh?"

"A bit," Saffron nodded. "Probably early December."

Hermione grinned. "She'll be here for Christmas!"

Saffron nodded. "It'll be fantastic."

"I can start that baby blanket now," Greta said.

Saffron looked at her. "There's something else Andrew and I wanted to ask you."

"What's that?" Greta asked.

"Ashley and Katie are both going to be at Hogwarts," Saffron said. "And we were wondering if you'd consider coming to work for us as Ellie's nanny."

Greta looked thoughtful. "I'll have to think about that, Saffron. It's not that I don't want to... but I'm getting older. I don't know if I'd be so good in caring for a newborn anymore."

"Oh," Saffron said quietly. "Greta, you're great. There's no one I'd trust more with Ellie."

"Let me get back to you," Greta touched her shoulder.

Saffron nodded. "Okay."

Hermione could see her daughter was disappointed but understood where Greta was coming from.

"What's that you're eating, Saffy?" Harry asked.

"One of Greta's peanut butter and jelly sandwiches," Saffron said. "Actually... my third."

Harry smiled. "She always did make the best, didn't she?"

Saffron nodded.

"Can I get you anything to drink or eat?" Greta offered.

"I'm fine, thank you." Harry smiled at her.

Tricia and Hermione were looking at one of the photographs. "Look at her!" Tricia gushed.

"There's one for each of you," Saffron said.

Julie, Katie and Ashley had arrived home and were surprised to see they had guests. Katie set the cage with their new snowy owl down.

"Where did you get that?" Harry asked his granddaughter.

"Eeylops Owl Emporium," Katie replied. "Isn't she beautiful?"

"She looks like my old owl Hedwig," Harry told her.

"We named her Ophelia," Ashley announced.

"They're going to share her," Julie added.

"Just wait until you see all the stuff we bought," Katie announced. "Grandma, I'm going to be the best dressed person at Hogwarts."

Hermione laughed. "I'm sure you are, love. Come on in the kitchen- Aunt Saffy has some wonderful news."

"Ooh!" Katie exclaimed. "The baby!'

"Yes," Hermione put a hand on each of her granddaughter's shoulders.

Saffron smiled at them as they came into the kitchen. "Hey, guys."

"Aunt Saffy," Ashley hurried over to give her a hug. "Mum and Katie saw Beth at Madam Malkin's."

Saffron smiled. "They did?"

Ashley nodded. "She says to owl her when you get the time."

"I will," Saffron said.

Andrew picked up Katie and swung her around. "Katherine Rose Malfoy, how do you feel about having another little girl in the family?"

Katie squealed. "You're having a baby girl?"

Andrew laughed. "Yes, we are."

"That's SO cool!" Katie said.

Ashley grinned. "Aunt Saffy, that's fantastic!"

"And..." Saffron said. "Andrew's the father. The real father."

"But, I thought---" Ashley started to say.

"We found out it's not true," Saffron said.

"That's the best news!" Ashley exclaimed.

"Yes it is," Saffron hugged her niece.

"We have to go shopping!" Katie exclaimed. "Buy her lots and lots and lots of stuff!"

Saffron laughed. "We'll definitely take care of that."

"Any excuse to go shopping," Andrew tickled Katie's side.

"It's what I do best!" Katie giggled. "Plus, Mummy ungrounded us."

"This is a cause for celebration!" Saffron joked. "The long imprisonment is over!"

"I got to see Brit and Zander," Ashley whispered to her aunt. "Zander and I are friends again."

Saffron grinned. She knew how important Zander's friendship was to her niece. "I'm so happy for you."

"Thanks," Ashley said. "Looks like things are finally looking up for both of us."

"Finally," Saffron said happily.

Ashley blushed a bit when Andrew smiled at her.

Saffron took another bite of her sandwich. "Ellie's first word is probably going to be peanut butter if I keep this up."

Andrew laughed. "I'll make you your favourite dinner tonight."

Saffron teared up at his words. "Oh, Andrew!"

Andrew rubbed her back. "It's okay, Saf."

"Those are happy tears, right baby?" Harry asked.

"Oh yes," Saffron nodded. "Very much so."

Harry kissed the top of his daughter's head. He couldn't have been happier for her.

"I'm really glad you're not opposed to the name Ellie," Saffron said to Andrew.

"Why would I be?" Andrew asked. "I love the name and I know how important your grandmother was to you, Saffy."

Saffron hugged him again. "Thank you."

"You still unwilling to budge on the Puddlemere thing?" Andrew asked teasingly.

Saffron smirked at him.

Ashley laughed. "You could let her choose, Andrew."

"She'll be raised a Puddlemere fan," Saffron said. "And maybe once in awhile she'll cheer on Wimbourne."

"Gee thanks, Saf," Andrew said grabbing the other half of her sandwich.

"Hey!" Saffron protested.

"That's what you get," Andrew grinned before taking a bite.

"That wasn't nice," Saffron complained. "I was just about to eat that."

"I'll make you another," Greta said patting her shoulder.

"Thanks Greta," Saffron said gratefully.

"Can I have one too, please?" Katie asked. "I'm starving!"

"Of course," Greta headed back to the counter.

Julie sat down beside her father. "It's been a long day."

"The girls tire you out?" Harry asked.

Julie nodded. "But it was fun watching Katie. She's so excited."

Harry smiled. "I hope she straightens up a bit at school. Maybe it'll help her grow up a bit quicker."

Julie looked over at her daughter who was showing some of her new things to Hermione. "There was this awful woman in the book shoppe. She made this remark about the Malfoy name not meaning much of anything anymore."

Harry shook his head in disgust. "I can't believe there are still some people out there who hang onto all that."

"It doesn't bother me that much anymore, but I'm worried about what it would do to Katie when she goes to Hogwarts," Julie said.

"She's a tough little girl," Harry said. "Much as I hate to admit it, she's got the Malfoy thick skin. Things that bother a lot of people don't faze her."

Julie nodded. "That's very true."

"I think she'll do just fine," Harry assured her.

"I hope so," Julie said. "And they were both so excited when we picked out that owl. They said they wanted one just like Hedwig."

Harry grinned. "I hope they keep to sharing her like they promised."

Julie laughed. "I hope so, too. But, at least I'll be there to monitor it."

Harry nodded. "Exactly."

"And look at Saffy," Julie said watching her sister. "I'm so glad things worked out like they did.”

"Me too," Harry said. "Saffron's been through enough. It's about time things worked in her favour."

Julie smiled. "And you have all girls for grandchildren, Dad. How are you going to cope with all this estrogen?"

Harry laughed. "Perhaps a boy will come along soon."

"Maybe with Maddie," Julie said.

"No more for you, Jules?" Harry teased.

"I think Nick and I are done for now," Julie replied punching her father playfully on the arm.

Harry grinned at her. "Come on; don't forget how much later Saffron came along."

"When you were pushing 60?" Julie teased.

"Very, very funny," Harry said sarcastically.

"Grandma," Katie was telling Hermione. "Are you going to miss me when I'm away at school?"

"Of course I am, sweetheart," Hermione told her.

"I can write you all the time," Katie said. "Because we have Ophelia."

"I'll write to you all the time then," Hermione promised.

Katie hugged her. "You're the best, Grandma."

"I love you, sweetheart," Hermione kissed the top of her head. "I'm very proud of you."

"I worked really hard," Katie said.

"Yes you did," Hermione said. "Your reading has improved so much."

Katie had never told her grandmother this, but the only time Katie really liked reading was when her grandmother helped her.

"In fact, I'd like to give you something," Hermione said. She brought out an old copy of Hogwarts, A History. "I know I didn't go there, but it's fascinating to know about the castle."

Normally, Katie wouldn't have liked receiving a book. But, she was eager to learn more about the place that was going to be her home. "Grandma, I can't take your book."

"Nonsense," Hermione said. "I have several copies."

"Thank you, Grandma," Katie said beaming at her.

"You're welcome, love." Hermione kissed her granddaughter's forehead.

"Mummy!" Katie exclaimed. "Look what Grandma gave me!"

"Hogwarts, a History!" Julie said. "That's a wonderful book."

"Isn't it cool?" Katie asked.

"Very cool," Julie sent her mother a grateful look.

"I'm going to start reading it when Caroline gets here," Katie said.

"I'm sure she'll like hearing about Hogwarts," Julie nodded.

"I just wish she was coming with me," Katie said wistfully.

"Another year," Julie reassured her.

"And you can show her the ropes just like Chiaki did for Julie," Saffron said.

"Yeah!" Katie said enthusiastically.

"And you'll meet loads of new friends, too," Saffron said.

"I love new friends," Katie said.

"I met Andrew on my first day on the train," Saffron said sharing a look with him. "And Alexa."

"Oh yeah," Andrew recalled. "You came in to bug RJ."

"Oh, please," Saffron waved her hand. "I was not there to bug RJ. He was bugging me."

Andrew slid an arm around her. "I thought you were cute even then."

"I was adorable," Saffron giggled.

"Very much so," Andrew nuzzled her ear.

Ashley decided to help Greta with the dishes and she noticed that her nanny seemed distracted. "Everything okay, Greta?"

"Of course," Greta said.

"This is the best news, isn't it?" Ashley asked.

"I'm very happy for Andrew and Saffron," Greta nodded.

"Me too," Ashley said. "I can't wait to tell Brittany and Zander."

"Why did Brit get those nasty things in her mouth?" Katie asked.

Ashley glared at her sister. "Katie, they're braces and she had to."

"They look gross," Katie said. "How come she couldn't straighten them with magic?"

"Because she couldn't," Ashley said. "And I think they look great on her.”

Katie just shrugged. "She looked prettier without them."

"Katie," Ashley warned. "You know, you might have to get them someday."

"I'll just have them straightened with magic," Katie informed her.

"I tried that," Saffron said. "Mum and Dad didn't go for it."

"How come?" Katie asked.

"You can't always solve everything with magic," Julie said. "Besides, it would only be a temporary solution, Katherine Rose. I knew a girl at school who tried that on her teeth and they grew back even bigger a couple of weeks later."

"Well Ashley didn't have to have them," Katie said defensively.

"You probably won't," Julie said.

"Good," Katie relaxed.

"It wouldn’t be the end of the world," Ashley said. "They're just braces."

"Brit doesn't think so," Katie returned.

"I'm going to quit while I'm behind," Ashley said. "I'm taking my things upstairs."

Katie watched her sister go. "She always has to argue with me."

"Let's just drop it for now, okay?" Julie asked. "We had a lovely day, didn't we, Katie?"

Katie nodded. "I got everything I wanted."

Saffron looked at Andrew. "So did I."

Andrew slid his arms around her stomach. "We both did."

"Ellie Kirke," Saffron said happily.

"Perfect name," Andrew agreed.

"Perfect," Saffron said.

*** *** ***

A few weeks into their partnership and the Weasley twins were finding it increasingly hard to get along with each other. They had always had different personalities and different ways of looking at things, but it had never seemed more obvious than when they had joined forces at the pub. Jon was well-liked by the employees and customers alike. Josh was a task-master who seemed to want everything in a certain place.

"This storage room is a mess!" Josh thundered. "How HARD is it to keep things in alphabetical order?"

Allison looked up from her work and sheepishly looked at him. "I'm sorry. I stopped by the shops on my way in and I didn't have time to organise. I'll do it later. I promise."

"Allie I need it done now," Josh said impatiently.

"Will you watch Adam for me, then?" Allison asked, setting the bowl aside.

Josh sighed. "This is exactly why Adam doesn't belong here. Babysitting is not part of our jobs."

"He hasn't been any trouble, Josh," Allison said, trying not to get angry. She picked up her son. "Come on, sweetheart. You can help Mummy."

"Help!" Adam nodded happily.

"Like a big boy," Allison said kissing his cheek and carrying him into the storage room. Josh sighed and barged into the office he and Jon shared. "Jon, we need to talk about your wife."

"Excuse me?" Jon asked.

"I don't think this is working out," Josh said. "She seems more interested in being a nursemaid than being an employee..."

"Allison's doing fine here," Jon said. "The customers love her menu."

"It would be fine if Adam weren't here," Josh retorted.

Jon glared at him.

"And I think it's time we had a word with RJ about coming round all the time to bother Audrey when she's working," Josh said. "She ignores her customers when he's around."

"No she doesn't," Jon argued. "She's been a great waitress."

Josh chuckled. "That's rich coming from you. You don't even know the meaning of a work ethic. You're too busy carrying on with the customers..."

Jon stood up from his desk, his chair flying back and hitting the wall. "Just what is THAT supposed to mean?" he snapped. "What is your PROBLEM?"

"Dad-dy!" Casey exclaimed from the doorway.

Josh's demeanour changed instantly. "Hi baby!"

Noah, Aidan and Lizzy appeared behind her. "Hi," Lizzy said smiling at him. "The kids and I were enjoying my day off and we thought we'd surprise you."

Jon managed a tight smile at his sister in law. "Hi Liz."

"Hi, Jon," Lizzy said. She could practically feel the tension in the room. "Um, how are things?"

"Fine," Josh said. "Just discussing a few things."

Noah lifted up his arms. "Daddy, lift!"

Josh picked his son up. "What did you four do today?"

"We had a wild time at the park," Lizzy said. "Aidan loved the swings and it took all I had to get him off of them."

"I went high!" Aidan announced.

"I'll leave you to it then," Jon said. "I think I'll go help the nursemaid."

"The what?" Lizzy asked.

"Ask Josh," Jon said sarcastically before he left the office.

Lizzy looked questioningly at her husband. "What's going on?"

Josh shook his head. "Nothing.”

"He looked like he was about to kill you," Lizzy pointed out.

Josh made a goofy face at Noah. "No, we were just having a disagreement is all."

"What was the nursemaid comment all about?" Lizzy asked.

"Allie having Adam here when she's supposed to be working," Josh said. "Not to mention the fact that Emma was here with him yesterday."

"So?" Lizzy asked. "Allie said the customers love seeing them."

Josh rolled his eyes. "This is a business, Lizzy."

"Relax," Lizzy advised him.

"Right," Josh said. He smiled at his three children. "I'm so glad you're all here."

"Where's Adam?" Noah asked. "I want to play."

"He's in the storeroom," Josh replied.

Casey ran out of the office. "Adam!"

Adam poked his little head out. "Hi Case!"

"Let's play,” Casey told him happily.

"Uh, sweetheart," Josh said. "I don't know if this is a good place to run around. It's where Daddy works."

"Maybe Adam would like to come over to our place?" Lizzy suggested. "The triplets would love to have him."

"That would actually be great," Josh replied.

Allison looked at Adam. "Would you like that, love?"

"Yes!" Adam said happily. "Go play!"

Allison smiled. "I guess we have our answer. Are you sure you don't mind, Lizzy?"

"I don't mind," Lizzy smiled at her.

"Thanks," Allison said. She knelt down. "You promise to listen to your Aunt Lizzy, Adam?"

"I will," Adam nodded.

Allison gave him a hug. "I love you, buddy."

"Love Mummy," Adam gave her a kiss on the cheek.

"Love Adam," Allison said.

Casey tugged on Adam's hand. "Let's go, Ad."

"Kay," Adam said. "Go play."

Allison smiled at her friend. "Jon and I will pick him up after work."

"No problem," Lizzy said.

Allison went back into the store room where Jon was unpacking a box and trying very hard to keep his temper in check.

"Calm down," she said soothingly.

"I'm trying," Jon said. "He's driving me nuts, Allie."

"You're not the only one," Allison replied.

Jon told his wife what Josh had said earlier in the office. "I wanted to hit him, Al."

Allison shook his head. "This is really going to his head."

"You know, I thought he would just put up the money and be more of a silent partner," Jon said.

"So did I," Allison confessed. "Who knew that he'd try to take over like this?"

"I should have known," Jon shook his head. "Adam---I love having him here and you."

"Me too," Allison said. "He's hardly in the way."

"I just wish I knew what to do," Jon said setting a box on one of the shelves.

"Maybe he'll get tired of it," Allison offered.

"We can only hope," Jon said.

"Hope for what?" Josh asked from the doorway.

"Nothing," Jon said shortly.

"I should go back to the kitchen," Allison said.

"Yes," Josh nodded. "We just got a few new customers."

"Right," Allison said. She squeezed Jon's shoulder reassuringly before she left.

"What were you talking about?" Josh asked.

Jon ignored him.

"Could you be a little more immature?" Josh asked.

"According to you it's what I'm best at," Jon said sarcastically.

Josh heaved a sigh. "IF we're partners, we need to work together."

Jon turned around and looked at his brother. "You see, I was under the impression that 'partners' meant that we were both in charge, but I guess to you, it means that you get to lord over everyone, including me."

"I am not lording it over anyone," Josh said defensively.

"You've always done it," Jon retorted. "Even when we were kids."

"That isn't true," Josh returned. "This place needed to shape up."

"Is that what you think I was doing?" Jon asked him. "Running it into the ground?"

"It sure seems that way," Josh told him. "No order whatsoever. Becca comes in whenever she wants. Audrey spends all her time socializing with RJ. Allison brings Adam into the kitchen which is extremely unsafe.... need I go on?"

"By all means," Jon said angrily.

"Fine," Josh said tightly. "The ledgers are a mess. No one can keep the stockroom organised--"

Jon held up his hand. "Well, with all that, I'm amazed Vic and I managed to keep the place going. But, since you're here now, I guess everything's perfect because of Josh and his anal-retentive ways!"

"You don't have to be such an arse," Josh said angrily. "I'm only trying to help. This is my investment now too."

"As if I could forget," Jon said. "You know what you're problem is. You're used to being the successful one. You're used to being the one who always does everything right. You can't handle it that I was actually good at something, too. It tears you up."

"That isn't true," Josh said hotly.

"It bloody well is," Jon retorted. "It's been that way since we were kids. You were the one who read first. You were the one who had the best marks. You were the one who all the professors loved. And who was I? The screw-up that could never quite live up to the bar you'd set, could I?"

"I never made you feel like you were second best," Josh pointed out.

Jon laughed. "That's rich, Josh."

"When did I ever tell you that you weren't as good as me?" Josh demanded.

Jon glared at him. "I don't have time for this. I have to re-stock the inventory. Right, boss?"

"Don't be a smartass," Josh replied.

"Yes, sir," Jon said curtly.

"I mean it," Josh said. "If you just see what I'm trying to do, things will run smoother here."

Jon turned his back on his brother and resumed his work.

Josh rolled his eyes and went back to the office.

Out in the dining area, Frankie, Hannah and Mallory had just sat down for a lunch. Will was keeping the twins at home. Frankie had ignored Mallory's calls, but Will had answered the phone this morning and said Frankie and Hannah would love to meet her for lunch.

She wanted to curse her husband but managed to sit politely while Mallory asked Hannah questions.

"How's your arm, Hannah?" Mallory asked. "I would have thought you'd still be in your cast."

"The doctor said it wasn't a bad break," Frankie said hastily.

"Oh, that's good," Mallory said. "I was really worried. In fact, I have something for you..."

"You do?" Hannah asked.

Mallory nodded and reached into her bag. She pulled out a small purple teddy bear. "I remembered that you loved purple."

"I do!" Hannah brightened. "Thank you!"

"That was very thoughtful," Frankie said quietly.

"It's nothing," Mallory said. "I just felt so bad about what happened..."

"It's okay," Hannah said. She leaned forward and gave her a hug. "Thank you."

Frankie pressed her lips together and looked away.

"Did you have everyone sign your cast?" Mallory asked.

"Yeah," Hannah said. "All my friends did."

"She still has it in her room," Frankie commented.

Mallory nodded. "I'd love to see your place sometime..."

"We have the best house," Hannah told her. "My room is right across from Mummy and Daddy's and right beside Nathan and Izzie's. Daddy's office is really nice, too. But, my favourite is the sofa because Mummy and me cuddle up under the big blanket and read."

"What do you like to read?" Mallory asked.

"Magazines," Hannah replied sharing a grin with Frankie.

"Magazines?" she asked.

Hannah nodded. "We like reading the advice columns."

"Oh," Mallory nodded.

"We read other things, too," Frankie said hastily. She didn't want to think that she just sat around reading fashion magazines with her daughter. "We read faerie tales and we watch films..."

"I love faerie tales," Hannah said. "My bedroom has a purple castle and dragon on the walls."

"I'd love to see it," Mallory commented.

"Can Mallory come over after lunch?" Hannah asked her mother.

"Um, well, I'm sure Mallory is busy," Frankie replied.

"Oh..." Mallory said. "Well... not really..."

Hannah grinned. "Then you can come over!"

"I'd love to, if that's okay," Mallory replied tentatively.

"We have plans actually," Frankie said. "My older sister, Chiaki. I wanted to stop in and see her."

"I see," Mallory nodded. "Some other time."

Hannah looked at Frankie. "We are?"

"Yes," Frankie nodded.

Audrey came over to take their orders. "Hi, Miss Hannah."

"Hi Audrey!" Hannah said happily.

"Where did you get that cool bear?" Audrey asked.

"Mallory," Hannah pointed to her.

"I'm her aunt," Mallory said proudly.

Audrey gaped at her for a moment.

"Audrey, this is Mallory Garrett," Frankie said. "She's Abbie Wright's sister."

"Oh," Audrey said. "Hello. It's nice to meet you."

"Nice to meet you," Mallory said.

"What can I get you lot?" Audrey asked. "Allie's in the kitchen so whatever you ask for is going to be good."

"Mummy, can I get a grilled cheese sandwich?" Hannah asked.

"Of course," Frankie answered.

"And apple juice, please," Hannah said to Audrey.

"Coming right up," Audrey said with a grin.

"I'll have the turkey club and a glass of club soda," Mallory said. "Thank you."

"And I'll have the garden salad with dressing on the side," Frankie said. "Just some ice water for me too."

"Of course," Audrey said. "Hannah, would you like to go back to the kitchen and say hello to Allie?"

"Sure!" Hannah said. "Is it okay, Mummy?"

"Of course," Frankie replied.

Hannah scrambled out of the booth and followed Audrey into the kitchen.

"I'm really glad that her arm is all better," Mallory commented.

Frankie nodded. "Me too."

An awkward silence fell over the table.

"You don't like me very much, do you?" Mallory finally asked.

"I don't know you," Frankie pointed out.

"I've tried," Mallory said. "You've not returned my calls."

"We've been busy," Frankie replied.

"So you said," Mallory said quietly.

"Yes well..." Frankie shifted uncomfortably.

"I'm not trying to undermine you, Frankie," Mallory started to explain.

"Then why are you here?" Frankie asked.

"I love my niece and I want to get to know her," Mallory replied.

"But you live in the States," Frankie said.

"I'm prepared to stay here as long as it takes to bond with Hannah," Mallory said. "She's all that I have left of my sister."

"I can have her write to you," Frankie said. "Perhaps a few phone calls--"

"I'm not going anywhere," Mallory said firmly.

Frankie leaned back and looked away from the other woman.

"And I don't want to take your place in her life," Mallory said. "I'm happy that she found you and your husband."

Frankie nodded. "It's been good for her."

"So maybe we could try and be friends, too?" Mallory asked.

"We can try," Frankie said non-committally.

Mallory smiled. "Your husband---he writes textbooks, was it?"

"Right," Frankie nodded.

"And you're in public relations?" Mallory asked.

"Yes," Frankie answered.

"That must be interesting," Mallory said.

"It is," Frankie nodded. "I meet some interesting people."

"When you adopted Hannah, did you have plans to have children of your own?" Mallory asked.

"Not exactly," Frankie said.

"Oh?" Mallory asked.

"I wasn't interested in children until I met her." Frankie said.

Mallory looked across the table at the other woman. "You weren't?"

"Not until I met her," Frankie repeated. "Hannah changed everything for me."

Mallory didn't know what to say to that. Thankfully, Audrey came over with their drinks.

"Thanks," Frankie said. "Is Hannah still back there with Allie?"

"Oh yes," Audrey said. "She's helping."

Frankie smiled. "She does love to be in the kitchen."

"She's adorable," Audrey said. "Allie put her in an apron and everything."

"That I definitely have to see," Frankie replied.

Mallory, Hannah and Audrey stood up and walked toward the kitchen.

Frankie laughed when she saw her daughter. "Where's my camera when I need it?"

"You look so cute!" Mallory gushed.

Hannah giggled. "Thank you!"

"She's been a great help," Allison said smiling at her sister.

"She always is," Frankie said proudly.

Hannah grinned. "It's making me hungry though."

"Well you're in luck." Allison said. "Your food is ready."

"It looks delicious," Mallory commented.

Hannah nodded. "I helped to make it."

Mallory grinned at her. "Thanks, Hannah."

They carefully carried the dishes back out and sat down at their table.

"Did you and my mummy cook when you were little?" Hannah asked Mallory.

Mallory nodded. "We used to bake."

"What stuff did you make?" Hannah asked eagerly.

"Cookies," Mallory said. "Well... you call them biscuits. And Abbie knew how to make a really good cake."

Hannah nodded. "I remember."

Mallory smiled.

"Maybe we can bake together sometime?" Hannah asked.

"I would love that," Mallory said.

"Was Mummy's favourite chocolate chip biscuits?" Hannah asked.

"Yes," Mallory said. "Mine too."

"We used to make those," Hannah said before taking a bite of her sandwich.

Mallory smiled sadly.

"And she used to sing when we'd bake," Hannah remembered.

Frankie pushed her salad around on her plate. She didn't ever want to deprive Hannah of memories of her real mother, but she couldn't help but feel jealous. This other woman shared things with her daughter that she could not.

"She loved to sing," Mallory recalled fondly. "You are my sunshine..."

"My only sunshine," Hannah finished, nodding.

Mallory reached for the little girl's hand. "She'd be---she'd be so proud of you."

"I hope so," Hannah said quietly.

"I know so," Mallory said, releasing Hannah's hand.

Frankie put down her fork. "We should really get going."

"Oh," Mallory said, trying to hide her disappointment. "Of course."

"But I'm not finished," Hannah protested.

"Perhaps Hannah and I could finish our meals and I could drop her off at your house?" Mallory suggested.

Frankie glared at her. "I don't think that would be appropriate."

"Why not, Mummy?" Hannah asked. "Mallory's cool."

"It's just not," Frankie said tightly.

Hannah looked at her mother. "But--"

"Let's go," Frankie said.

Hannah could not understand why they were leaving so soon. She'd barely finished half of her sandwich. "I want to stay. Please?"

"No," Frankie said firmly. "Let's go."

"Why are you being so mean?" Hannah asked looking up at her.

"Its okay, Hannah," Mallory said quickly. "Your mother's probably right."

Hannah finally stood up and gave her aunt a hug. "Thank you for my bear."

"You're welcome," Mallory said. "I'll be in touch."

"Goodbye, Mallory," Frankie said.

Mallory nodded. "Bye..."

"Are we really going to see Mas and Sukie?" Hannah asked once they were outside.

"Sure," Frankie said.

"But you told Daddy we'd be right back home after lunch," Hannah pointed out.

"I'll ring him when we get there," Frankie said tersely.

"Did I do something wrong?" Hannah asked.

Frankie sighed. "No, baby..."

"But you're mad," Hannah said.

"It's okay," Frankie slowed down.

"I don't understand why Mallory couldn't come home with us," Hannah said, not wanting to let this go. "She's nice, Mummy."

"She's okay," Frankie said vaguely.

Hannah looked uncertainly up at Frankie. "She reminds me of my mummy. I feel close to my mummy when I talk to her."

Frankie felt guilty at the look on her daughter's face.

"I was starting to forget," Hannah said, her lower lip trembling.

Frankie stopped and gathered Hannah in her arms. "I'm sorry, sweetheart. I didn't stop so much to think of you."

Hannah put her arms around Frankie's neck.

"Next time, I promise you can spend some decent time with Mallory," Frankie said.

"Really?" Hannah asked hopefully.

"Yes," Frankie held out her pinky.

Hannah smiled and linked her finger with Frankie's.

"My girl," Frankie said affectionately.

Hannah gave her another hug. "I love you, Mummy."

"I love you too," Frankie said. "More than anything."

Hannah wiped at her eyes. "Can we go home?"

Frankie nodded. "I think that sounds good."

"We can read," Hannah said with a grin. "You got that new magazine."

"I think an afternoon on the sofa sounds good," Frankie said. "And later, Daddy and I will have you call Mallory."

"Thanks," Hannah said happily.

"I'll do anything to keep you happy," Frankie said to her daughter.

"Me, Nathan and Izzie," Hannah said softly.

"Yes," Frankie hugged her again. "All three of you."

"Daddy's probably got his hands full with the two of them," Hannah said giggling.

"Yes he does," Frankie said. "So we'd better go rescue him."

Hannah took her hand. "All better now, Mummy?"

"All better," Frankie said.

Hannah grinned, feeling much better.

They walked in the door to see Will holding Nathan and rocking Izzie's chair with his foot.

"You survived?" Frankie asked.

"We're fine," Will said. "How was lunch?"

"Mallory gave me a bear," Hannah said holding it up for him to see.

"That's cute," Will said with a grin.

"And I helped Aunt Allie make lunch," Hannah said. She smiled at her sleeping brother.

"What did you have?" Will asked her.

"Grilled cheese," Hannah said. "Mummy had a salad and Mallory had a turkey sandwich."

"That does sound good," Will replied.

"We didn't get to finish," Hannah said.

"How come?" Will asked.

"We were planning to go and see Chi and the twins, but changed our minds," Frankie said.

"Oh," Will nodded. "Well since you're home, I'll pass Nate to you so I can grab myself a bite."

Frankie gingerly took Nathan in her arms. "He's out like a light."

"We had a very busy morning," Will answered, stretching.

Hannah knelt down beside a sleeping Isabelle. She started to sing a lullaby.

Frankie smiled. "Come on," she said to her husband. "I'll keep you company while you fix yourself something."

"Sounds good," Will said.

Will waited until his wife was sitting down at the table with a sleeping Nathan. "So are you going to tell me how it was?"

"It was okay until I messed everything up," Frankie admitted.

"What?" he asked.

She told him about what had happened. "I just---I felt left out, Will."

"Frankie you've got to let her connect," Will said. "Mallory seems legit, and she just wants to see her niece."

"I know," Frankie said, patting Nathan's back. "I just---I couldn't help it."

"I know I sort of sprang this on you," Will said. "And I won't do it again."

"It's okay," Frankie said. She told him what Hannah had said about feeling connected to her biological mother through Mallory. "I felt terrible."

"Well... I'm sure Mallory will be ringing again," Will replied. "This time we'll let Hannah have a proper visit."

"I said she could ring her later," Frankie said.

"There you go," Will nodded.

In the sitting room, Isabelle awoke and started to cry. Hannah slid off the sofa and went to her sister's side. "Hey...Izzie. It's okay."

"Ha?" Isabelle asked.

"I'm here," Hannah said softly. "Did you sleep good?"

Isabelle nodded and rubbed her little eyes.

"Look what my aunt gave me," Hannah said showing her the bear. "He's purple!"

"Ooooh," Isabelle's eyes grew big.

"Want to hold him?" Hannah asked.

Isabelle nodded.

Hannah handed the bear to her sister.

"Ha," Isabelle said softly.

Hannah grinned. "Han-nah."

"Han..." Isabelle began.

Hannah clapped her hands. "Good, Izzie!"

Isabelle laughed and waved the bear.

Hannah kissed her soft cheek. "I love you, Izzie."

Isabelle giggled. "Han... nah!"

Hannah beamed. "Mummy! Come quick!"

"What is it, sweetheart?" Frankie poked her head in the room.

"Say it again," Hannah said to Isabelle. "Go on."

"Han-nah." Isabelle repeated.

A wide smile broke across Frankie's face. "Izzie!"

"I can't believe it!" Hannah said. "She's really talking!"

Isabelle giggled. "Han-nah."

"That's very good," Hannah said happily to her sister.

Frankie knelt down. "Did your big sister teach you that, Izzie?"

Isabelle giggled at her.

"I'll take that as a yes," Frankie laughed.

"Now I just have to work on Nathan some more," Hannah said as Isabelle threw the bear at her.

"Isabelle!" Frankie laughed.

"Caught it," Hannah said.

"What's going on?" Will asked. Nathan was wide awake now.

"Our little Isabelle is being a chatterbox," Frankie told her husband.

"Han-nah," Isabelle said, lifting her hand and pointing at her sister.

"Hey," Will said with a grin. "How about that?"

"Our children are brilliant," Frankie said.

"All three of them," Will winked at Hannah.

"They take after their mum," Frankie said.

"Hey now," Will replied. "I am the textbook writer..."

Hannah giggled. "We get it from both of you."

"That's right," Will scooped her up.

Hannah giggled. "Daddy."

Will gave her a kiss on the cheek. "Want to use my phone to ring Mallory?"

"Please," Hannah replied.

Frankie watched them go and pushed down the uneasiness that washed over her. There was something about Mallory she didn't quite trust.

"Ma-ma?" Nathan asked.

"What is it, love?" she asked her son.

Nathan toddled over to her and gave her a big hug.

Frankie blinked back a few tears at her son's sweet gesture.

"Hannah's ours," Frankie said softly. "Right?"

Nathan grinned at her.

"Ours," Frankie repeated. "And nothing or no one's going to change that."

"No," Nathan repeated.

Frankie hugged him tightly. There was nothing in this world more important to her than her family.

"Love Mama," Nathan said.

Will came back into the sitting room. "She's talking to Mallory."

Frankie nodded.

"No worries," Will said trying to reassure her.

"I know," Frankie replied.

Will gave her a kiss.

"I just can't bear the thought of Mallory trying anything with Hannah," Frankie said.

"She's not going to," Will said. "And even if she did, we're her legal parents, Frankie."

"Right," Frankie nodded. "Right."

Will sat down beside his wife and took Isabelle out of her chair.

"Da," Isabelle said happily.

"That's my girl," Will said tickling her side.

In her hotel room, Mallory hung up the phone after sharing a nice chat with Hannah. She'd been surprised to hear from the girl after the way things had ended at lunch.

It had been wonderful getting to know her niece, and through talking to Hannah, she felt closer to her sister again.

Mallory genuinely liked Will Barron, but Frankie was another story. The other woman seemed intent on keeping her apart from Hannah.

She wasn't sure why. She'd never given any indication of wanting anything more than to get to know Hannah.

Perhaps Frankie felt threatened, Mallory thought.

Mallory did not want to go to drastic measures, but now that she'd found her niece there was no way she was backing out of Hannah's life.

280. Rafe Comes Home

Authors’ note: You guys are going to get Darla and Rafe in this chapter along with some Ethan, Maddie and Kiera. Next week, you get to see Harry/Hermione---she’s got a little secret!

Darla and Rafe spent a few days in hospital, and Darla was happy to be bringing her son home. Hans had been staying with a friend of his in London and had visited them every day. She was surprised that he had managed this amount of time off.

"I'll get the door," Hans said, running up the steps.

"Thanks," Darla said.

Hans turned and looked over his shoulder. "Rafe, you are home..."

Darla smiled at her son who yawned and blinked.

Hans opened the door and stood back so they could enter.

Darla carried her little bundle inside. "Welcome home, love."

Hans closed the door behind them. It felt a little strange to be back here after all this time.

Darla carried her son to the nursery. It had been her and Drew's project for the last few months.

"Wow," Hans said looking around. "Darla---"

"It looks good in here, doesn't it?" Darla asked.

"It does," Hans said smiling at her. "You did all this?"

"Me and Drew," she nodded.

She and Drew had decorated the nursery with a stars and moon theme. The wall was painted a light blue with stars and moons.

"I think it's great," he nodded.

"We worked really hard on it," Darla said. She looked down at her son. "This is your room, Rafe."

Rafe let out another little yawn.

"He's really excited," Hans laughed.

Darla carefully laid him in the crib that had been a gift from her parents.

Darla and Hans stood over the crib watching him in silence.

"He's amazing," Darla said in a hushed voice.

"He is," Hans said softly.

"We should let him sleep," Darla waved her wand at a monitor.

"Right," Hans agreed. "Come on then."

"So," Darla said. "When... when do you go back?"

"I have a shoot on Thursday," Hans told her.

"The cologne ad?" she asked.

Hans nodded. "Michaela and me."

Darla didn't want to ask, but she had to. "What... what happened to Katya?"

"She's not in this one," Hans said with a shrug. "But, she's still in the ad campaign."

"Will you be working with her again?" Darla asked coolly.

"I don't know," Hans said angrily. "What about you and that healer?"

"Liam?" Darla asked. "What of him?"

"I imagine he was happy to hear we'd split up," Hans said as if the answer should have been obvious.

"He didn't think of it one way or the other," Darla said. "He was concerned with Rafe."

"That's not all he's concerned with, Dar," Hans said.

"Excuse me," Darla glared at him. "He's not sending ME nude pictures of himself..."

Hans sighed. "Darla--"

"I don't want to start this again," she said.

"Me either," Hans said. "Look, how about I make us some tea?"

"Fine," Darla sighed.

"Do you still keep it in the same place?" Hans asked.

"Yes," she answered.

"I'll be right back," Hans said offering her a tentative smile.

Darla nodded and sat back on the sofa, closing her eyes.

Having Hans back here was nice, but there was always that thought in the back of her head about seeing those pictures of Katya.

She wanted to trust her husband again but didn't know if she ever could.

He came back into the sitting room carrying a tray of tea and biscuits. "Your mum was here earlier. She'd gone by the shops for you and Rafe and she left a note." Hans handed it to her.

"That was good of her," Darla said. "I was running low on stuff."

"Your mum's been great," Hans said. "The only one of your family that has, to tell the truth."

Darla gave him a look. "Mum's more forgiving than others."

Hans sat down. "More forgiving than you?"

"Hans," Darla shook her head.

"I want nothing more than to take you and Rafe back to New York with me," Hans said.

"I'm not going to New York," Darla said. "Neither is Rafe."

"You are going to let him come to New York and visit me, right?" Hans asked. She was silent. "Darla--"

"Visit," she said softly. "Is that what our marriage has come to?"

"You were the one who suggested we split up," Hans reminded her.

"Just a separation," Darla said. "I guess I was rather hoping you'd come home."

"My job's in the States," Hans said.

"But you're an international model," Darla protested. "Surely you can... I don't know... commute?"

"I---I like it there, Darla," Hans admitted.

"More than you like living here with me." Darla finished.

"I didn't say that," Hans retorted. "Darla, I like it there and I'd like to share it with you and Rafe. You were going to go before Katya sent those pictures..."

"Because I didn't know you were sneaking around!" Darla exclaimed. "I thought it could make our marriage work!"

"I wasn't sneaking around," Hans protested. "For Merlin's sake, Darla."

"Then explain to me why Katya thought it was okay to send you nude pictures," Darla said.

Hans put his head in his hands, thinking over what he wanted to say. Finally, he looked up and met his wife's gaze. "She was a good friend to me, at first. We were spending a lot of time together and we got close. Closer than we should have."

"Obviously," Darla muttered.

"I didn't shag her, but we came awfully close," Hans said. "Quite a few times."

"Just what I wanted to hear," Darla said sarcastically.

Hans sighed. "Darla, you wanted to know the truth. I'm telling you the truth."

"It's just making me wonder if we're meant to stay together," Darla said quietly.

"You're never going to let this go, are you?" Hans asked her point-blank.

"How can I?" Darla asked. "You had romantic feelings for someone other than me!"

"I wasn't in love with her," Hans argued.

Darla rubbed at her eyes. "I don't know what to think, Hans."

"Do you still love me?" Hans asked.

"Of course I do," she said.

He reached for her hand. "I--" His words were cut off by the sound of their son's cries.

"I'll go get him," Darla said, hurrying out of the sitting room.

Hans nodded.

Darla smiled as she looked at her son. "Come here to Mummy," she said softly. "There, there..."

Rafe's cries quieted as he rested his head on Darla's shoulder.

"That's my boy," she said, carrying him out to the sitting room.

"Alright?" Hans asked.

"He's fine," Darla said. "Probably just hungry."

"He's a Weasley after all," Hans said.

"Yes he is," Darla said, nursing him just like she'd been shown.

"I'll---I'll just be in the kitchen," Hans said. "I need to check in with Freddy."

"Of course," Darla said.

Hans dialled his agent's number. "Freddy, hey."

"Hans," Freddie said. "What's going on?"

"Darla and I took Rafe home from hospital," Hans told him.

"Right," Freddie replied. "You'll still be back by Thursday, right?"

"Of course," Hans said. "What's this about the shoot being moved to the Caymans?"

"We think it'd work better down there," Freddie replied. "With the tropical setting."

"Sounds good," Hans said. "I'm looking forward to working with Michaela."

"Good," Freddie replied. "You two will look great together."

Hans was just happy he wouldn't be working with Katya. "Listen, I'm going to need some more time off after this shoot."

"More?" Freddie asked. "Hans, we have publicity after this, as well as three more shoots lined up for you."

"Well, when would I be able to have some time off?" Hans asked.

Freddie looked through a calendar. "About two months from now--"

"Two months?" Hans asked in disbelief.

"If all goes well," Freddie answered.

"I can't miss two months of my son's life," Hans argued.

"Bring them with you," Freddie answered.

"I want to," Hans said. "But, Darla's not exactly up for that."

"Well you can't have it both ways," Freddie said. "You'll have to figure it out."

Hans said a quick goodbye and collected his thoughts for a few moments. He was already in the dog house with Darla and if she heard that he wouldn't have time off for two months, she'd be so angry.

He went back into the sitting room just as Darla finished feeding Rafe. "Good timing," she said.

"Want me to take him?" Hans asked.

"Sure," Darla said.

Hans took his son. "Hiya, big guy."

Rafe cooed at him.

Hans kissed the top of his son's head. "I love you, buddy."

Darla had to smile. This was exactly how she hoped things would be once Rafe was born.

"I have to tell you something," Hans said.

"What?" Darla asked, looking up at him.

"I was chatting with Freddy," Hans began.

"Why do I have a feeling this isn't going to turn out well?" Darla asked.

"Well, it all depends," Hans said, patting Rafe's back. "It turns out Freddy's got me booked for the next few weeks."

"I guess a few weeks isn't so bad--" Darla began.

"When I say a few weeks," Hans said tentatively. "I mean---two months."

Darla gaped at him. "You're going to be gone two months? You won't be able to come home at all?"

"Well, I was thinking you might be able to come with me," Hans suggested. "I think Rafe would like New York."

Darla sighed. "Not this again."

"Darla, come on," Hans said. "It's just for a few weeks. You might like it."

"I don't know," Darla said. "It may not be such a good idea for us to travel around with Rafe right now."

"Oh," Hans said. "I hadn't thought about that."

"Obviously," Darla sighed.

Hans sighed. "Darla---all I'm saying is you could ask Lizzy or---the other one...'

"Liam," Darla said sharply. "He has a name."

"Liam," Hans said rolling his eyes.

Darla shook her head. "Who are we kidding, Hans? This isn't going to work. Not like this."

"It would work if you'd be willing to compromise," Hans said. "I don't understand. Darla, you were going to come with me before I cocked everything up."

"Do you really think things would have magically been better once I was there?" Darla asked. "Would you really have been around any more than you are here?"

"I would," Hans argued.

"Really," Darla said sarcastically.

"I love my son and I love you," Hans said. "I would do everything---"

"I love you too," Darla interrupted. "We have a child together and that will always keep us together in some way."

"Darla, what are you saying?" Hans asked.

"I don't know," she said softly.

"You want a divorce?" Hans asked her.

"I don't know," she said again. "I'm so confused."

"We can make this work," Hans argued. "I want to make this work."

"But then we BOTH need to compromise," she said. "Not just me going to New York."

Hans thought for a moment and looked at his son. "What if I came home on the weekends?" He didn't know how he would swing that with Freddy, but he'd have to try.

"Maybe while Rafe is an infant that would be best," Darla said. "And when he gets older... we can make some trips into New York."

Hans smiled. "That'd be great, Dar."

"We'll see," Darla said. "I'm not promising anything, Hans."

"It's a start," Hans said. "Right, Rafe?"

Rafe yawned as he blinked his eyes closed.

"I was thinking I'd make dinner for us tonight," Hans said. "I'm sure you're tired of the hospital food."

"I am," Darla nodded.

"Then it's settled," Hans said. "Family dinner."

Darla managed a smile. She knew it would be a long while before she could trust her husband again. But this definitely would be a start.

*** *** ***

After a long day at work, Maddie was looking forward to putting her feet up on the sofa and taking a long kip.

She had started to show, and the baby was also quite active, unlike Kiera.

"Ethan?" Maddie called out, setting her bag down. "I'm home..."

"I'm in the kitchen," Ethan called back.

Maddie walked into the kitchen and saw her husband, making dinner. Kiera was sitting in her high chair while Blue flitted about the kitchen happily.

"Something smells wonderful," she smiled at him.

"Beef stew," Ethan smiled at her. "Or you could have cereal like Kiera."

Maddie laughed. "I'll stick with the stew."

"Ma," Kiera waved her little hand.

"Hello love," Maddie went over to her daughter. "Are you being a messy eater?"

Kiera stuck her finger in her bowl and giggled.

"And you," Maddie said to her pixie. "What are you up to?"

Blue tugged affectionately at Maddie's hair.

"Buh!" Kiera giggled happily.

"He's been making her laugh all day," Ethan said. "Hasn't he, Kiera?"

Blue cackled and turned a somersault in the air.

Kiera laughed and clapped her messy hands together. "Buh!"

"Can I get you anything?" Ethan asked his wife as she sat down at the table.

"Pumpkin juice would be lovely," Maddie replied. "Thanks, Ethan."

"Sure," he said. "Just rest up."

"How was your day?" Maddie asked him.

"Pretty routine," he said. "Some paperwork this morning and I came home at lunch."

"I'm sure Kiera loved spending the afternoon with her Daddy," Maddie commented.

"We had fun," Ethan made a face at his daughter.

Kiera giggled. "Da!"

"Let's get you cleaned up," Ethan lifted her out of her chair.

"No!" Kiera giggled.

Ethan laughed. "Oh, yes."

Blue cackled and flitted around Ethan's head.

"I'll get the stew," Maddie said. "While you clean her up."

"Thanks, Maddie," Ethan said. "Come on, Messy Girl."

"Da, da, da..." Kiera babbled as Ethan carried her to the sink.

"You are wearing most of your dinner, Miss Kiera Faith Potter," Ethan said grabbing a rag.

Kiera giggled at him and clapped her hands together.

"She sure is happy today," Maddie laughed.

"She had a nice long kip earlier today," Ethan said. "Three hours."

"I'm jealous," Maddie said wistfully.

Ethan looked over at his wife. "Are you feeling okay?"

"Just knackered is all," Maddie replied.

"Feet hurting?" he asked, wiping Kiera's face off with a rag.

Maddie nodded. "Yes."

"I'll give you a massage later," Ethan promised.

Maddie grinned. "Thanks, Ethan."

"Anything you need," Ethan said. "Just let me know."

"You've done so much," Maddie said. "Dinner---"

"Anything," Ethan interrupted her. "I don't mind."

"This looks and smells delicious," Maddie said looking down at the pot of stew.

"Go ahead and help yourself," Ethan said. "I went to the bakery and got some bread too. It's in the oven."

"Mmmm," Maddie murmured happily.

Ethan grinned as Maddie helped herself to some dinner and sat back down at the table, digging in.

"Ethan, this is the best," Maddie told him after taking a bite.

"Good," Ethan said, getting himself something to eat as well after settling Kiera into her bouncy seat.

Blue levitated in front of Kiera and played 'patty-cake' with the baby girl.

"Thank goodness we have a babysitter," Ethan joked.

Maddie laughed. "He loves to play with her."

"I bet he'll love the new baby as well," Ethan said.

Maddie patted her stomach. "I bet he will, too."

"You know," Ethan said. "We should start thinking of a name for her."

"Do you have anything in mind?" Maddie asked. "I named Kiera. I think it's only fair that you name the new baby."

"I'm not sure," Ethan said. "Didn't we buy a book of names or anything?"

"There's one in the sitting room," Maddie said.

Ethan waved his wand and summoned the book. "Here we go..."

Maddie happily took a bite of her stew and watched her husband as he thumbed through the book.

"Let's see," Ethan said thoughtfully. "I'll list some names and you tell me if you like them or not."

"Okay," Maddie replied.

"Maria?" Ethan asked.

Maddie shook her head.

"Amanda," Ethan read. "Jennifer..."

"No," Kiera said before Maddie could.

Ethan laughed. "All right then... let's see."

Maddie finished her bowl of stew and stood up to get another helping.

"How about something a bit different?" Ethan flipped to another section in the book. He read off several names to which Maddie shook her head.

"You are hard to please, Madeline," Ethan said.

"None of those names sounds right," Maddie explained.

"Let's see," Ethan said turning to the chapter with names that started with the letter 'G'. "Guinevere...Gwyneth....Gilda..."

"How about that one," Maddie pointed. "Gwyn?"

"It means 'blessed ring'," Ethan read aloud.

"I think it's lovely," Maddie said.

"Gwyn Potter," Ethan said.

Kiera giggled.

"Kiera likes it," Ethan said.

"Then I think it's unanimous," Maddie answered.

Ethan reached over and tickled his daughter's side. "You do, do you?"

Kiera shrieked and laughed at her father.

Maddie patted her stomach. "Gwyn."

"I think it's perfect," Ethan set the book aside.

"Me too," Maddie said softly.

Ethan pushed his bowl away and gestured to her. "Give me those feet."

Maddie grinned and lifted her feet.

Ethan pulled her shoes off and carefully began massaging her feet.

Maddie closed her eyes. "Oh, this is fantastic."

Ethan smiled at her. "This is nothing."

"This is brilliant," Maddie said dreamily.

Ethan chuckled as Kiera looked up at her mother.

"You weren't on your feet all day, were you?" Ethan asked Maddie.

"Sort of," she said sheepishly. "I had four visions so I was trooping back and forth all day."

"Mads," Ethan said. "You know you're supposed to be taking it easy."

"I know but I had to put them in the Pensieve," Maddie told him.

"I just want you to be careful," Ethan said. "I don't want anything to happen."

"I'll be careful, Dad." she teased.

"I'm just worried about my girls," Ethan said defensively.

"We know," Maddie said, reaching for his hand.

"I just missed out on so much last time," Ethan said. "I want to do it differently this time."

"Having you here makes all the difference," Maddie assured him.

Ethan smiled.

"Our little Gwyn here is definitely more active than Kiera," Maddie rubbed her stomach.

"Kiera wasn't?" Ethan asked.

Maddie shook her head. "She was pretty quiet."

Ethan looked over at his daughter who was giggling at Blue. "She's making up for that now."

"Yes she is," Maddie smiled.

"Ma," Kiera said waving her hand. Maddie scooted over to get closer to her daughter. Kiera put her hand on Maddie's belly.

"Are you talking to your sister?" Maddie asked her daughter.

A strange look came over Kiera's face as she stared at her mother's stomach.

"What's she doing?" Ethan asked.

"Listening," Maddie said softly.

"To what?" Ethan asked quietly.

"Gwyn," Maddie replied.

"What is she saying?" Ethan asked.

"I don't know," Maddie said reaching out and touching her daughter's cheek.

"That's incredible," Ethan said, staring at their daughter. "That she can communicate this way."

"She'

"She's a special girl," Maddie said softly.

Ethan wove their fingers together. "We're lucky, Mads."

"We are," Maddie said.

"I'm lucky," Ethan continued. "A year ago I was sitting in some disgusting room with Saffron wondering if I was ever going to see you again."

"And now you're here with us," Maddie said squeezing his hand.

Ethan nodded.

"We can't get the time back that we missed, Ethan," Maddie said. "And it wasn't your fault that you missed it."

"I know," Ethan said. "And I'm not going to dwell on it."

"Good," Maddie said leaning in to give him a kiss.

Ethan kept his lips pressed to hers for a few moments

"Buh," Kiera mumbled.

Ethan and Maddie broke apart and laughed.

"Buh, huh?" Ethan asked, making a goofy face at Kiera. "Buh, Buh, Buh."

"Da!" she giggled at him.

Maddie laughed. "Daddy's silly, isn't he, Kiera?"

Kiera giggled and reached for Ethan.

"Come here," Ethan said picking her up out of her seat. "Daddy's girl."

"Da," Kiera looked up at him with her unusual eyes.

"Our little baby whisperer," Ethan joked.

Maddie laughed. "Very funny."

Ethan grinned and patted Kiera's back. "We love you, little girl."

Kiera closed her eyes and rested her head on Ethan's shoulder.

"How about we all go upstairs and lie down together?" Maddie asked.

"Sounds good to me," Ethan nodded.

Maddie waved her wand at the dirty dishes. "Sometimes, you have to love magic."

"Especially when it comes to chores," Ethan agreed.

"Funny how our parents never believed that," Maddie said thoughtfully.

"Like doing chores would make us a better person," Ethan smirked.

Maddie laughed. "You know Kiera and Gwyn will probably hear us saying that exact same thing."

"If I ever get old and stodgy then I expect you to leave me," Ethan joked.

"Never," Maddie said. "We'll just be old and stodgy together."

Ethan gave her another quick kiss.

Kiera looked up sleepily. "Buh?"

"No baby," Ethan whispered. "Blue has to go in his cage."

"Buh," Kiera said wistfully.

"Ethan," Maddie said. "I bet he'd sleep in his little cage if he can be in her room."

Ethan handed Kiera off to Maddie. "Good idea. I'll be right back."

"There we go love," Maddie said to Kiera. "Blue can stay with you all night."

Kiera beamed at her mother. "Buh."

Maddie kissed her cheek. "That's right baby."

Kiera put her arms around Maddie's neck. "Ma-ma."

Maddie smiled. "That's my smart girl."

Ethan came upstairs carrying Blue in his cage. "Here he is, Kiera."

"Buh!" Kiera exclaimed happily.

"Think she'll always be this easy to please?" Ethan asked Maddie.

"I hope so," Maddie said softly.

Ethan turned the lights on in the nursery and Maddie walked over to the dresser. She pulled out Kiera's pyjamas.

Ethan set the cage down on the nightstand next to Kiera's crib. "You keep her company tonight, Blue. But don't keep her awake."

Blue rattled the bars on his cage.

"Blue be nice," Maddie said, changing Kiera into her pink pyjamas.

Blue quieted and sat down on the floor of the cage.

"That's a good boy," Ethan said.

"My sweet girl," Maddie said picking Kiera up and hugging her.

"Ma-ma..." Kiera yawned.

"Bedtime," Maddie said kissing her cheek.

Ethan smiled and kissed her other cheek. "Night, my baby girl."

"Da," Kiera said softly.

"I love you sweetheart," Ethan grinned at her.

Maddie gingerly set Kiera down in her crib. "Sweet dreams, my little angel. Mummy loves you."

Kiera blinked up at them sleepily a few times before looking over at the pixie at her side. "Buh...” she said.

Blue started humming the little lullaby he always sang to her before she went to sleep.

Ethan and Maddie silently slipped out of the room.

Maddie wiped the tears from her eyes. "Ethan, Blue--Blue was so sweet just then."

Ethan put his arm around her. "Yes he was."

"I'm so emotional these days," Maddie said leaning against him. "I'm sorry."

"It's okay," he assured her. "Andrew told me Saffron's the same way."

"Speaking of Saffron," Maddie said. "How great is it about what she found out? Andrew's the baby's father!"

"I know," Ethan nodded. "I can't tell you how glad I am for that."

"She's been through so much," Maddie said sitting down on the edge of the bed.

"It's about time things started to go right," Ethan replied, pulling off his shirt.

"For all of us," Maddie said standing up and walking into their bathroom.

"But especially for her," Ethan replied. "She's been through more than anyone."

"I have a feeling that her tough times are over," Maddie said softly.

"You see something?" Ethan asked coming into the bathroom.

"No, it's just a feeling I have," Maddie said.

Ethan put his arms around her. "I'm sure she'd be glad to hear that from you."

Maddie rested her forehead on his. "I'll tell her tomorrow."

Ethan gave her a slow, lazy kiss.

"I love you, Ethan James," Maddie whispered.

He smiled at her. "I love you too."

Maddie guided his hand to her stomach. "She loves you, too."

"Gwyn," Ethan said. "We'll have to think of a middle name."

"Do you have any ideas?" Maddie asked.

"Not yet," Ethan said. "We'll take another look at that book tomorrow."

Maddie nodded and returned her attention to brushing her teeth and washing her face. She was completely knackered and just wanted to lie down.

Ethan turned the duvet cover down and pulled back the sheets. He was tired too.

Maddie slid into bed beside him and rested her head on his chest. "Ethan?"

"Hmm?" he asked, his hand stroking her hair.

"Will you make me waffles tomorrow?" Maddie asked. "With lots of butter and syrup?"

He laughed softly. "Sure."

"And toast with strawberry jam?" Maddie asked, closing her eyes.

"If you like," he nodded.

"It's not just me," Maddie said. "It's Gwyn and I think she has a sweet tooth."

"Well by all means," Ethan said. "You both will get whatever you want."

Maddie laughed and closed her eyes. "You're the best, Ethan."

"So are you," he said.

Maddie didn't reply and Ethan looked down to see his wife was fast asleep.

He kissed her forehead. "Night, Mads... night Gwyn."

He thought about what Maddie had said earlier about not dwelling on the time he had missed. He didn't want to do that, but it was hard not to think about it. He might not be able to change anything about that, but he could do things differently where Gwyn was concerned. He wasn't going to miss one moment of this.

281. Chapter 281 Hermione's Got a Secret

Authors’ note: This chapter is a little short, but it’s all Hermione/Harry. Next chapter, Alexa and Saffron say goodbye.

Due to being the only ones in the Minister's mansion, Harry and Hermione had closed off sections of the house and only resided in one part. It had been difficult adjusting to no one else around again and to cheer his wife up, Harry planned a nice dinner for the two of them.

He had made chicken cacciatore which was one of Hermione's favourites. He'd even lit candles and had turned the Wireless on for some background music. Harry set a basket of bread rolls on the table and looked around at his work. Not bad, he thought to himself.

It had been awhile since he had cooked like this and it reminded him of old times when they had been first married and lived in the cottage.

The good old days were what Saffron would teasingly call them when he or Hermione would wax nostalgic about their time at the cottage. He smiled as he thought of his youngest daughter who finally seemed to be happy at last.

He went to go get changed into something a little more comfortable then poured himself a glass of wine while he waited for his wife.

Unbeknownst to him, his wife was currently sitting in a classroom in a recreational centre in south London. There was a class of about 18 students and Hermione felt a thrill of excitement as she saw that no one here recognised her or knew who she really was.

Hermione eagerly reached for the textbook she had just bought and began looking through it. "Introduction to cooking," she read.

"Good evening," the instructor said. She was a tall woman with her brown hair pulled back into a bun. "Welcome to the first class of Introduction to Cooking. My name is Sharon Burke and I will be your instructor for this course."

Hermione smiled excitedly while the woman took attendance.

"Hermione Potter?" the instructor asked.

"Here," she answered brightly.

To her delight, no one seemed to recognise her. The instructor called the other students' names and then gave a brief overview of the course. "Tonight, we're going to start off easy. I have a simple blueberry muffin recipe that you will see on page three of your textbook..."

The woman sitting next to Hermione leaned over. "Want to team up?"

"Absolutely," Hermione replied with a smile.

"Great," the woman smiled. "Priscilla McDonald."

"Hermione Potter," Hermione said. "It's nice to meet you."

"Are you as bad as cooking at me?" Priscilla asked ruefully.

"Worse," Hermione groaned. "It's kind of a family joke."

"I promised my husband if we lasted 25 years of marriage I'd do my best to learn to cook," Priscilla said as they gathered their ingredients.

Hermione smiled. "So, you lasted 25 years, eh?"

"About a month ago," Priscilla nodded.

"Congratulations," Hermione said. "My---my husband's the chef in our family. We have the house to ourselves now and I have some time on my hands. I thought I would take this class and try to get better."

"I'm sure he'll love that," Priscilla said as they studied their recipe.

"It says we're supposed to cream the butter and sugar together then slowly add the eggs," Hermione read aloud.

"Cream together..." Priscilla said. "I suppose that means we mix them up?"

"I suppose so," Hermione said, reaching for the large bowl at their station.

"I'll let you do that," Priscilla said, looking over the rest of the recipe.

Hermione nodded and carefully measured the sugar and butter. She told herself to think of this like she was brewing a potion.

"Cream together," she said to herself. "I suppose I do this with a regular spoon..."

"I'd recommend using the big wooden spoon on the corner," the instructor told her as she made her rounds.

"Oh thank you," Hermione said gratefully. "I'm such a novice."

"You'll do fine," Sharon reassured her. "And I'm here to help." She watched as Hermione poured the sugar into the bowl with the butter. "That's good, Mrs. Potter."

Hermione beamed. She wondered why she had struggled with this for so long.

Back at home, Harry was looking at his watch. Hermione was a half hour late. Usually she would let him know when she was running behind.

He reached for his mobile and dialled her number.

It rang directly to voice mail. Harry decided not to leave a message. Perhaps, she'd been called into a last minute meeting. He decided to firecall her office.

"Hello?" Harry called. "Hermione?" Samuel?"

Samuel looked up from his desk. "Harry?"

"Hi Sam," Harry said. "Is Hermione still there?"

"The minister left about an hour ago," Samuel said. "I assumed she was going home."

Harry grew worried. "Really..."

"She did mention having to stop at the book shoppe," Samuel recalled. "You know how she is when she's in there."

"Oh," Harry said. "That's very true. Thanks Sam."

Samuel promised to let him know if he heard from her.

Harry felt slightly reassured when he pulled his head back out of the fire. He did know how his wife could be when surrounded by books.

Harry walked back into the dining room and set a warming charm on their food.

He sighed and poured another glass of wine for himself.

Back at the recreational centre, Hermione and Priscilla were pouring their batter into the muffin pans. "So how many children do you have, Hermione?" Priscilla asked.

"Three," Hermione answered. "My youngest is getting married soon."

Priscilla smiled. "I have two. My youngest has just started university."

"How lovely," Hermione said.

"Okay, everyone should be ready to put your pans in the oven," the instructor called out.

Hermione looked at their dish. "I can't believe this actually seems edible!"

Priscilla grinned. "Now, we just have to hope we don't find some way to burn this."

"The oven is set to the right temperature?" Hermione asked, opening up the oven door.

"Yes," Priscilla said, setting the timer for 25 minutes.

"Perfect," Hermione said, hardly daring to hope that these would turn out.

The instructor told them to tidy up and Priscilla and Hermione set about cleaning their station.

"Just keep an eye on the oven," Priscilla said. "I have a habit of leaving things in the oven."

"Me too," Hermione said shaking her head. She told Priscilla about the time she'd nearly burned the cottage down.

Priscilla was laughing. "I don't know if I could beat that one!"

Hermione laughed, too. "My oldest daughter still brings it up, though truth be told, she's as hopeless as I am in the kitchen.”

"How about your other two?" Priscilla asked.

"Ethan and Saffy are great cooks," Hermione said. "They didn't get that from me, though."

"From your husband, then," Priscilla nodded.

"Yes, he's been cooking since he was a kid," Hermione said. "He's a fantastic cook."

"I'd have starved if it wasn't for Gavin," Priscilla agreed.

"That's me with Harry," Hermione said smiling as she thought of her husband.

Priscilla finished washing the rest of the dishes and Hermione quickly dried them. "Now what do we do?" Priscilla asked. "We still have fifteen minutes until these are ready."

"I'm not sure," Hermione said motioning for the instructor.

"Is there anything else we need to do?" Hermione asked her.

The instructor nodded. "I'd like you all to stay by your stations. We're going to go over some of the things that can go wrong when you bake..." At the mansion, Harry heard a commotion from the sitting room. "Finally," he muttered, stepping out of the dining room and carrying a glass of wine for his wife. "Sweetheart?" Ron dusted the soot from his shoulders, "Awww, Harry. I didn't know you cared."

Harry frowned. "What do you want?"

"Something smells good," Ron said.

"I know," Harry replied.

Ron reached for the glass of wine. "This is hospitality, mate..."

"That's for Hermione," Harry blocked his attempt.

"Where is the little woman?" Ron asked.

"I'm not sure," Harry replied.

"Can I have some of whatever that is?" Ron asked, touching his stomach. "It smells fantastic!"

"No," Harry said shortly. "It's for me and my wife."

"Oh come on," Ron said. "Just a bite?"

"There's never just a bite where you're concerned," Harry told him.

"I resent that remark," Ron said frowning at him.

"I actually think you resemble it," Harry cracked.

"Fine," Ron grumbled. "What I came over here for was to see if you were up to play a match this weekend? Neville's in, so's Dean..."

"A match?" Harry asked. "Yeah... that sounds good."

"Great," Ron said, stepping closer to the dining room. "Can I at least have a bread roll?"

"Fine," Harry said. "Just ONE."

Ron clapped him on the back. "Thanks, mate."

"And I'll see you later," Harry hinted.

"You need to work on your hospitality, Potter," Ron said grabbing a roll from the basket. He popped in into his mouth.

"I'll make sure to do just that," he said sarcastically.

"I'll see you this weekend then," Ron said.

"Right," Harry said. "See you, mate."

Ron headed for the fireplace. "Hermione'll be home soon."

"I hope so," Harry muttered.

She did come home, but it wasn't until nearly an hour later. Hermione was still giddy as she set her briefcase down. She looked at the bag of muffins in her hand and couldn't believe she had actually made them and even better--they tasted really good.

"Harry!" she called.

Harry stepped out of the dining room.

"Hi," she said with a grin.

"You're late," Harry said quietly. "I was worried."

"I'm sorry," she said. "I was at the bookstore then I um... then I stopped by the bakery."

"I made dinner," Harry said.

"Something does smell delicious," Hermione nodded. "Very, very delicious."

"What did you get at the bakery?" Harry asked.

"Some muffins," Hermione held up the bag.

Harry looked at his wife and couldn't hang on to his anger that she'd been late. She was notorious for spending hours in a bookstore. "They look good," he said softly.

"Have a bite," she said with a grin.

"Dessert before dinner?" Harry asked teasingly.

"Just a bite," her eyes twinkled.

Hermione reached into the bag and handed him a muffin.

Harry took a bite. "These are fantastic. What bakery are they from?"

Hermione beamed at him. "You really like them?"

Harry nodded. "One of the best muffins I've ever tasted."

Hermione put her arms around him. "I'm so glad you love them, Harry!"

He was amused. "Why so excited?"

"I just had a really, really good day and I'm glad you like the muffins," Hermione said squeezing him tightly.

Harry chuckled. "Okay... well... I'm glad you had a good day, and here's hoping this will make it better." he led her into the dining room.

"Oh, Harry!" Hermione gasped. "You---you did all this for me?"

"Correct," Harry whispered in her ear.

"I'm sorry I was late," Hermione apologised.

"I was starting to get worried," he said.

"I should have rung you," Hermione said.

"Long as you're home safe," Harry told her.

Hermione gave him a kiss.

"Sit," Harry said. "Have a glass of wine..."

"Thanks," Hermione said.

"For your dining pleasure," Harry said. "I have chicken cacciatore..."

Hermione grinned. "My favourite!"

Harry sat down across from her. "I hope you're hungry."

"I'm starving," Hermione said. "I just had a muffin earlier."

"Good," Harry said, bringing out the rest of the food.

Hermione put her napkin in her lap.

"Dig in," Harry told her. "Ron stopped by and I practically had to tackle him to keep him away from the food."

Hermione laughed. "He beg and plead?"

"Like a starved puppy," Harry said.

Hermione took a bite of her food. "Mmmm."

"Only the best for you," Harry said.

"This is amazing," Hermione said. She couldn't wait until she'd be able to surprise Harry with a meal like this.

"I know you've been feeling down lately," Harry said. "I wanted to cheer you up."

"My empty nest," Hermione said reaching for his hand.

"Not completely empty," Harry said. "I'm not going anywhere."

Hermione smiled. "I love you, you know."

"I love you too," Harry said. "Love of my bloody life."

"And you're mine," Hermione said.

"What would we do without each other?" he asked.

"Be completely lost," Hermione said.

"Who even knows where I would be if we hadn't gotten together," Harry said.

"Married to Ginny?" Hermione teased.

"Ugh," Harry said. "Hardly."

"And I'd be married to some boring dentist that my father set me up with," Hermione grinned.

"I don't know who I'd have been married to," Harry said. "Maybe even Cho... who knows."

"Really?" Hermione asked.

"I don't know," he said. "Just... if Neville hadn't stepped in and you weren't there..."

"I don't even want to think about that," Hermione shuddered.

"Me either," Harry shrugged.

"So, how was your day?" Hermione asked.

"It was okay," Harry said.

"Mine was fantastic," Hermione told him. "I just really felt that I accomplished something today!"

"Really?" Harry asked. "What?"

"Just some legislation that I've been drafting," Hermione lied.

"Oh," Harry nodded. "Of course."

Hermione took another bite of her food.

"Seconds?" Harry asked.

"Yes, please," Hermione said handing him her plate.

Harry dished out seconds for both of them.

"It's a good thing you brought those muffins," Harry said setting the plate in front of her. "I didn't make dessert."

"I'm surprised," Hermione said.

"I might have had something else in mind for dessert," Harry grinned at her.

"Oh I see," Hermione grinned back. "I do like that line of thought, Mr. Potter."

Harry grinned. "I was hoping you were thinking the same thing..."

"Always," Hermione said softly.

Harry leaned across the table and kissed her. "Having the house to ourselves can have benefits."

"That is quite true," Hermione said.

"And if you play your cards right, we can have these dinners every Monday night," Harry said.

"Every Monday night?" Hermione asked. "I-I can't."

"Why not?" he asked.

"I have another meeting next week," Hermione said. She was a terrible liar and she knew that being an Auror, Harry would see right through her.

He looked at her pensively. He was sure his wife wasn’t' being quite truthful, but didn't say anything.

"We could do it on Fridays," Hermione suggested.

"Okay," Harry nodded. "Fridays it is."

Hermione smiled. "Let's dance, Harry."

He smiled. "I'll pour us some wine. You go pick us some music."

"Deal," Hermione said pushing back from her chair.

Harry refilled their goblets and headed into the sitting room. Hermione had just put on some soft music.

"And you didn't even have to carry a watermelon to get here," Harry teased.

"What?" Hermione asked.

"You forget so easily?" Harry asked taking her hand. "That night you snuck into the employee disco. When I asked Neville what you were doing here, you told me that you carried a watermelon."

"Oh," Hermione turned red. "The first thing I ever said to you. It was really quite ingenious."

"I thought you were adorable," Harry said putting his hands on her waist.

"I'm sure that was your thought," Hermione said dryly.

"It was," Harry said.

"You didn't like me at all," Hermione reminded him. "Not at first."

"You grew on me," Harry said pulling her close.

"It only took me a week," she smiled at him.

"I did think you were a bit of a busy-body when I first met you," Harry said. "Thought you were some rich, spoiled girl coming to socialise with the peons."

"Little did you know," Hermione kissed him.

"Little did I know," Harry agreed.

Hermione kissed him again and he dipped her backwards.

"Hermione Jane," Harry said. "You've still got it."

"So do you," she said as he pulled her back up.

"I've always had it," Harry grinned, spinning her around.

Hermione laughed. "Yes, yes you have."

"It helps when you have a great partner," Harry said.

Hermione wound her arms around him. "I have the best partner... in every way that matters."

"You just love me for my cooking," Harry teased.

"That's part of the reason," Hermione laughed.

"There's more?" Harry asked.

"To me loving you?" Hermione asked. "Of course there is."

"I'm smart, handsome and brilliant?" Harry asked, dipping her again.

"That too," she said, laughing as he brought her back up.

"You're not so bad either," Harry said.

"Just not so bad?" Hermione poked him.

"Better than average?" Harry asked with a grin.

"You can do better, Potter." Hermione said.

"Let's see," Harry said pretending to think for a few moments. "You're beautiful...brilliant...classy...funny..."

"Keep going," Hermione said softly.

"...brave...loving...caring," Harry continued.

"Keep going," she said, resting her head on his chest.

Harry smiled. "You have the most brilliant brown eyes that twinkle when you're excited about something."

She grinned. "You have such a way with words."

"Those aren't the big words that you like to use so much," Harry pointed out.

"I don't need big words from you," Hermione said.

"No?" Harry asked. "Good, because I don't know that many. Half the time, I don't understand what you're saying."

"I'll buy you a thesaurus," Hermione teased.

Harry laughed. "Thanks, I think."

Hermione gave him another kiss.

"What's another word for 'wow'?" Harry asked when they pulled apart.

"I'm not sure," she answered dazedly.

"Stupendous?" Harry suggested.

"Amazing," she said.

"You smell like blueberries," Harry said nuzzling her neck.

"I do?" she asked.

"Mmmhmm," Harry whispered.

"Maybe because of the muffin I ate on the way home..." Hermione said.

"Maybe," Harry said, his eyes darkening as he looked at his wife.

"What's that look for?" she asked.

"I think you know," Harry grinned.

"I might have an inkling," Hermione said, letting her head fall back.

Harry trailed kisses along her jaw and neck.

"I suppose it's nice that we don't HAVE to go upstairs if we don't want to..." Hermione said lazily.

Harry grinned. "That's very true."

"To the sofa," Hermione said in his ear.

Harry picked her up. "Whatever you say."

They fell onto the sofa and wasted no time in removing each other's clothes.

A little while later, they were wrapped in a blanket on the sofa; Hermione's head on Harry's chest. "You still awake?" Harry whispered.

"Mmmhmm..." she said.

Harry kissed the top of her head. "I love you."

"I love you too," she said, her eyes closing.

"We have to do this more often," Harry said.

"Maybe every Friday," Hermione said impishly.

"Once a week only?" Harry poked her in the side.

"This?" Hermione asked. "Oh no... not this. This... should happen nearly every night..."

Harry laughed. "That's my girl."

Hermione kissed him again.

"Did you buy me anything at the book shop?" Harry asked.

"No," Hermione said. "I pretty much just browsed..."

"You walked into a bookstore and walked out without buying anything?" Harry asked teasingly.

Hermione smiled to hide her lie. "There's a first time for everything."

"That would be like me leaving the Quidditch shop without buying something," Harry said thoughtfully.

"I'm sure it could happen," Hermione said.

"Yes and you're going to start flying to work," Harry said dryly.

"Harry James--" she began.

Harry tickled her. "That would NEVER happen."

"Stop!" she cried out, laughing.

"Hermione Granger Potter zooming around in the sky on a racing broom," Harry chuckled.

"That'll NEVER happen," she informed him.

"That would be like Ron deciding to eat nothing but raw carrots and celery," Harry laughed.

"That will also never happen," Hermione grinned at him.

"Or you actually making toast," Harry teased. "Or boiling water..."

"Potter," Hermione poked his shoulder.

"Granger," Harry countered.

"Stop calling me Granger," Hermione said. "I haven't been Granger for many, many years now."

Harry laughed. "I know, love."

"And you should be nice," Hermione said. "Or I'll never make my lasagne again."

"Okay," Harry said. "I'm shutting up now."

"Good idea," Hermione rested her head on his chest again.

"Did you hear from Saffy today?" Harry asked.

"An owl, this morning," Hermione said. "Julie's planning a baby shower."

"Oh?" Harry asked.

"Probably not for another few months," Hermione said. "But now that we know it's a girl, it'll make it easier to plan."

"Ellie," Harry said.

"I think it's so sweet she wants to name her after Mum," Hermione said. "I miss her."

Harry kissed the top of her head. "I know you do."

"She and Dad should have been here to see all this," Hermione said.

"They would have spoiled Ellie rotten," Harry said with a wistful grin. "And little Kiera."

"They sure would have," Hermione nodded. "And Ethan and Maddie's new baby as well."

"At least they were able to see Ashley and Katie," Harry said. "And I like to think there's a little bit of Robert and Elinore in each of them."

"I think so too," Hermione nodded.

"They loved you very much," Harry said.

"They were great parents," Hermione nodded.

"And you're a great mum," Harry said.

"You're a great dad," Hermione said.

"I've made a lot of mistakes," Harry said quietly.

"We both have," Hermione said, looking up at him. "Neither of us is perfect. Nor are any of our children."

Harry gave her a kiss.

"I think we should just sleep here tonight," Hermione said softly.

"I think so too," Harry said.

"I'm very, very comfortable," she said, snuggling closer.

"Are you?" Harry asked. "Because I was hoping you'd get up and go and get me one of those muffins..."

"There's this thing you do called wandless magic," Hermione said. "Summon them..."

"I just wanted to see if you'd get it for---ow!" Harry yelped as Hermione elbowed him in the ribs.

"Harry James!"

"I should have known better," Harry said smiling at her.

"I suppose since you made dinner I could go get you a muffin," Hermione told him.

"No, no," Harry said, waving his hand in the direction of the kitchen. "Allow me."

Hermione laughed. "You always did like to show off."

Harry lifted his hand as two muffins landed perfectly in his palm. "Me? Show off?"

She grinned at him.

"Maybe just a little," Harry said taking a bite of the muffin. "Mmm...These are really, really good, Hermione."

Hermione fought to keep from smiling too big.

She gave him another hug.

"What's that for?" Harry asked with a laugh.

"Just for being you," She said softly.

Harry smiled. "I love you, Hermione."

"I love you too," Hermione said. "And now you taste like blueberry."

Harry laughed. "You like that."

"I do," she said.

What she liked even better was the fact that he'd actually liked something she'd made that wasn't lasagne.

Harry stuffed the rest of the muffin into his mouth. "Any chance of you bringing more of those home?"

"Maybe," Hermione said coyly.

"I hope so," Harry hinted.

"They had some nice looking chocolate chip biscuits," Hermione said hiding her smile as she remembered one of the things they'd make next week.

"I'm always up for those," Harry nodded.

Hermione closed her eyes and rested her head on his chest again.

Harry looked down at his wife as he pulled a blanket over both of them.

"Good night, Hermione," Harry said softly.

"Night," she said softly.

She was still smiling as she drifted off to sleep.

282. Chapter 282 Goodbye

Authors’ note: Thanks to all of you for reading! Saffy and Alexa prepare to say goodbye in this chapter! Enjoy!

Saffron knocked on the door of the O'Leary's house and thought about how many times she'd done that over the years. Her eyes were already welling with tears when Karen O'Leary opened the door.

"Oh, Saffy," Karen said enveloping her in a hug.

"I can't believe she's leaving!" Saffron wailed.

"Me either," Karen said patting her back. "I've been crying since last night."

"Oh not the two of you," Alexa came downstairs. "Come on, you're going to get me started again."

"Lexie," Saffron sobbed.

"Come on Saffy," Alexa said. "You know I'll be back here when you need me."

"I n-need you n-now," Saffron stammered.

Alexa put her arm around her best friend. "I know... and we'll write all the time. But you also have Andrew and he'll be there whenever you need him."

"I know," Saffron said, wiping at her eyes.

"Come on," Alexa squeezed her shoulders. "I still have a few things to pack."

Saffron nodded and followed her friend upstairs.

Alexa had gotten most of her things into boxes except for the new purchases she'd bought with Gabriel.

"What can I do?" Saffron asked.

"Can you pack all my bedding into that box?" Alexa asked.

"Sure," Saffron said reaching for the duvet cover. "Are you excited?"

"So excited," Alexa said. "And sad... but more excited."

Saffron nodded. "I'm sad, but I'm excited for you and so proud. You're so brave, Lexie."

"I'm not that brave," Alexa said. "Just pursuing a dream."

"But you're leaving your home, your family and your friends to do it," Saffron said. "It's the bravest thing anyone could do, Lexie."

"I don't know if I could do this if I were a Muggle," Alexa confessed. "Part of me knows I'm going simply because if I need to be back here, I can do it in a flash."

Saffron smiled. "You know...that's the only reason I'm actually letting you go."

Alexa grinned at her.

"I'd dropkick Gabe," Saffron said. "Don't let the belly fool you, Lex. I'd take him."

Alexa laughed. "Oh come on Saffy! You are too much!"

Saffron laughed, too. "I would!"

"Well I'll tell you this," Alexa said. "I promise to be back for Ellie's birth. Come hell or high-water."

"And my baby shower!" Saffron exclaimed.

"That too," Alexa said.

Saffron finished folding Alexa's sheets and put them in the box. "And you are Ellie's godmother."

"That I could never forget," Alexa said. "Why do you think I'm going half broke buying her clothes?"

"Did you buy her something else?" Saffron asked.

"I might have," Alexa confessed.

"Lexie!" Saffron exclaimed. "You shouldn't have---"

"I wanted to," Alexa said, grabbing a bag. "And when I saw this, I couldn't resist."

Saffron opened the bag and pulled out a small pink outfit. "Lex---it's gorgeous!"

"She'll look so cute in it," Alexa gushed.

"You're already spoiling her and she's not even here yet," Saffron said admiring it.

"I know," Alexa said. "Terrifying isn't it?"

Saffron gave her a hug. "You're the best."

"So are you," Alexa squeezed her.

"I've seen you nearly every day for eight years," Saffron said starting to cry again.

"We can still talk every day," Alexa reassured her.

"Every single day," Saffron said. "And you can tell me everything about university."

Alexa nodded. "Everything."

"And email me your writing," Saffron said. "Promise?"

"I will," Alexa promised.

Saffron wiped at her eyes. "Andrew told me this would be one big sob-fest."

"I think he was right," Alexa said, leaning her head against Saffron's.

"Some pair we are," Saffron said with a slight laugh.

"It's natural," Alexa said. "You're just like a sister to me, Saffy."

"Sisters," Saffron agreed.

"We'll always be close," Alexa swore.

"No matter what," Saffron said extending her pinky finger.

Alexa hooked it with hers.

Saffron smiled. "We did the same thing on our first night at Hogwarts, remember?"

"All too well," Alexa recalled. "Thanks to you, I felt at home right away."

"Someone had to show the Muggle-born the way," Saffron said with a grin.

"The freaked out freaky looking Muggleborn," Alexa laughed.

"You were not freaky looking," Saffron nudged her.

"You're loyal until the end," Alexa said, taping the box shut.

"And we needed each other to survive Beth and Mimi," Saffron laughed.

"You're going to have to handle them yourself now," Alexa said. "Think you can handle it?"

"It will be difficult," Saffron said. "But, I'll muddle through."

Alexa looked thoughtfully at her wand. "I'm not going to be able to use this so much anymore... at least not for a few years."

"You are going to keep it close though?" Saffron asked. "I mean, just in case---"

"Absolutely," Alexa said. "I'll have to figure out how to hide it from my roommate."

Karen knocked on the door, carrying a tray of biscuits and juice. "I thought you might like a quick snack."

"Thanks Mum," Alexa said gratefully.

"Thanks, Mrs. O'Leary," Saffron said. "And little Ellie thanks you too."

"How have you been doing?" Mrs. O'Leary asked her.

"Good," Saffron replied. "Happy. Andrew's been a big help."

"I'm so glad," Mrs. O'Leary gave her another hug.

"How's Mr. O'Leary holding up?" Saffron asked

"He's been keeping himself busy," Mrs. O'Leary said.

"Daddy's going to be fine," Alexa said.

"Eventually," Mrs. O'Leary joked.

"My mum and dad can give you pointers in dealing with the empty nest," Saffron said.

"Perhaps I'll ring them soon and have them over for dinner," Mrs. O'Leary said.

"They would love that," Saffron said. "Especially my dad, if you promise you'll have fudge."

"I always have a bit of that around," Mrs. O'Leary laughed.

"Don't I know it," Saffron said. "You can expect to see a lot of me."

"You're always welcome here," Mrs. O'Leary told her.

Saffron smiled. "Thanks, Mrs. O'Leary."

"I think I'm all packed, except for my new computer," Alexa said, looking over at the laptop. "I'll pack that last."

Saffron nodded. "That's a nice one, Lex."

"Yeah I've been having fun with it," Alexa said.

Saffron grabbed her bag and reached inside. She handed her friend a wrapped package. "A going away present..."

Saffron watched as Alexa unwrapped the present and pulled out a photo album. Inside were photographs of their Hogwarts days up through their graduation and their holidays at Brighton.

"Saffy!" Alexa exclaimed. "These are amazing!"

Saffy smiled. "Looking at all of them brought back so many memories."

"Definitely," Alexa said. "No other friend could ever compare with this."

"That was so thoughtful," Mrs. O'Leary said peering over Alexa's shoulder.

Saffron shrugged. "I can't let her go forgetting about all our fun times here."

"I could never do that," Alexa said looking at the photographs. She giggled when she saw a photograph of the two of them, smiling broadly exposing mouths full of metal. "Look at us. The metal mouths."

"Ugh I almost didn't put that one in," Saffron made a face.

Mrs. O'Leary laughed. "Saffron, I'm glad that you did. You two were so cute."

Saffron smiled. "We always had fun together."

"Patrick and I were so afraid that Alexa would be so homesick," Mrs. O'Leary remembered. "I kept expecting to get a letter from her telling me she was ready to come home. But that first night at Hogwarts, she sent us a letter and said that she thought Hogwarts would be okay because she'd met the 'coolest girl' who knows everything there is know about everything."

Alexa laughed. "Did I really say that, Mum?"

"I'm sure I still have the letter," Mrs. O'Leary replied. "Somewhere..."

"Well, I am still the coolest girl and I do know everything there is to know about everything," Saffron grinned.

"And you're so modest about it," Alexa teased.

"You know it," Saffron laughed.

"I'll leave you two be," Mrs. O'Leary said. "Let me know if you need anything."

"Thanks, Mum," Alexa said.

"So," Saffron said. "Tonight we're going out to dinner. My treat."

"Saffy, you don't have to do that---" Alexa started to protest.

"I want to," Saffron said holding up her hand.

"I can't think of anything more I'd want to do on my last night in London," Alexa said.

Saffron grinned. She hadn't mentioned the load of friends that would be waiting for them at the Leaky Cauldron that evening.

"And you, Miss Potter, are going to visit me in California," Alexa said. "You and Andrew."

"And Ellie," Saffron added. "That will probably be the next time I see you after tonight. I'll be a mum..."

Alexa smiled. "A mum."

"It's crazy, isn't it?" Saffron asked. "Part of me is so freaked out but I'm also really excited."

"You're going to be a great mum," Alexa reassured her.

"I hope so," Saffron said. "Thank Merlin I have Andrew."

"So how is it living together?" Alexa asked.

"Amazing," Saffron said. "He is so sweet and perfect and--"

Alexa grinned. "All yours?"

"Exactly," Saffron hugged herself.

"I'm so happy for you," Alexa said. "You deserve to be happy, Saffy."

"Thanks," Saffron said. "It's been a rough year."

"You're the brave one," Alexa said. "I don't know of anyone who could have faced all that you had and come back stronger than ever."

"I'm not THAT strong..." Saffron shrugged. "I just had a lot of support."

"You're the strongest person I know," Alexa said.

"Thanks," Saffron said gratefully. "You went through quite a bit too with the memory thing..."

"I had a good support system," Alexa said. "You, Gabe, RJ, my parents..."

"Gabe's been fantastic for you," Saffron replied.

"He has been," Alexa smiled, just thinking of him.

"And I'm sure he's happiest about you going over there for University," Saffron teased.

"He's the one who has had to do all of the travelling in our relationship," Alexa said. "Now, he's just a bus ride away."

"Or a blink," Saffron motioned to her wand.

Alexa laughed. "Right."

"Is that all?" Saffron asked. "All your stuff?"

Alexa nodded. "I think so."

Saffron nodded. "It's interesting to see all your things packed away. At least in my case it was packed and about ten minutes later unpacked again."

"Thanks to me, RJ and Andrew," Alexa teased.

"Oh yes, because none of you would let me lift a dust rag," Saffron rolled her eyes.

Alexa nudged her. "Saf, we didn't want you lifting anything heavy is all."

"There was hardly anything heavy to lift," Saffron said.

"As you told us time and time again," Alexa recalled. "And then you got all mad when RJ picked you up and carried you off."

"He SO deserved me taking all the extra Nan," Saffron answered.

Alexa giggled. "That was a fun night."

"It was," Saffron nodded.

Alexa sat back down on her mattress and took a biscuit from the plate. "The four musketeers."

"It was sort of like old times," Saffron said. "You know..."

"I'm just glad that RJ and I were able to be friend again after all that happened," Alexa said thoughtfully.

"I'm glad too," Saffron replied, sitting down on the bed. "He didn't have to forgive me..."

"A lot of things happened," Alexa said. "But, you guys were able to get past it. And I think it helps that he has Audrey now. He's in a good place and so are you."

Saffron nodded. "We all are. Finally."

"Finally," Alexa agreed happily. "So, where did you want to go tonight?"

"I've got a bit of a craving for Tom's stew at the Leaky Cauldron, if you don't mind," Saffron said.

"That sounds great," Alexa said.

"Good," Saffron said, checking her watch. She hoped their friends had everything set in place there.

"I'll just freshen up a little," Alexa said excusing herself to go into the bathroom.

Saffron pulled out her mobile and texted Andrew to let them know they were leaving shortly.

She picked up the photo album and thumbed through the pages. She felt tears welling up again as she looked at the photographs. There they were at 11 years old, ready to take on the world. She remembered the night, they'd all been sorted and she'd been so happy that her new friend had been sorted into Gryffindor, too.

"I think the hat got it wrong," Alexa whispered to Saffron as they followed the prefect up the stairs to Gryffindor Tower. "I'm not brave at all."

"You've been saying that all day," Saffron told her. "You're plenty brave!"

"I'm just really glad that we're in the same house," Alexa said.

"Me too," Saffron grinned at her. "I can't wait to see our dormitory."

"Welcome to Hogwarts, young lady," a voice whispered to Alexa. She turned and gaped as she realised that the portraits were actually moving. "T-that portrait just spoke to me, Saffy."

Saffron nodded. "My sister and brother told me about the Fat Lady."

"Okay," the prefect announced. "This is the entrance to Gryffindor Tower. We have a password to enter into the dormitory. Do not tell anyone else the password. This is very important..."

"A password?" Alexa whispered to Saffron. "What if we forget it?"

"We won't," Saffron whispered back. She watched as the prefect said the password to the Fat Lady.

"I hope not," Alexa said, gazing around as they stepped through the portrait hole. "Wow..." she breathed upon seeing the cosy common room.

"Look," RJ said nudging Andrew. "It's the babies."

Saffron made a face at him. "You're stupid, RJ."

RJ laughed. "You're stupid, RJ," he mimicked.

Saffron glared at him and stomped her foot down hard on his.

"OW!" RJ yelped.

"Serves you right," Saffron replied smugly.

"She has you there," Andrew told his best mate.

"She does not," RJ said indignantly. "She's just a first year."

"We're only two years older than them," Andrew pointed out.

"So?" RJ asked.

"So, you're an idiot," Saffron retorted.

Andrew and Alexa both laughed as RJ sputtered angrily.

"First years, come on!" the prefect called out.

Saffron laughed one more time at RJ before taking Alexa by the elbow and guiding her over by the prefect.

"The first year girls’ dorm is on the right," the prefect told them. "You'll find your things have already been brought upstairs. Good evening."

"Let's go," Saffron said eagerly.

Saffron and Alexa followed Beth and Mimi into their room.

"Wow," Beth said. "This place is SO cool!"

"I want this bed!" Mimi exclaimed plopping down on the four-poster bed closest to the door.

"I'll take this one," Saffron headed to the one by the window. Her trunk moved from the centre of the room to the edge of that bed.

Alexa's jaw dropped. "Whoa..."

"I can't wait to start lessons," Saffron said.

"I bet you've already starting reading the textbooks," Beth said as she chose a bed. Her trunk moved to edge of her bed.

"A few," Saffron confessed.

Mimi laughed. "Why? Classes haven't even started yet. Are you some sort of brainiac?"

"I like to learn," Saffron said defensively.

"I don't think there's anything wrong with that," Alexa said. "I read a few chapters, too. It never hurts to be prepared."

"I guess not," Beth agreed.

Alexa looked at the bed beside Saffron's. "Do you mind if I take this one?"

"Go ahead," Saffron smiled at her.

Alexa sat down on the edge of her bed. "I didn't sleep at all last night, you know? I kept worrying that I wouldn't know anyone and that everyone would be so far ahead of me."

"You're right with the rest of us," Saffron assured her. "I promise."

"Thanks," Alexa said gratefully.

"If you need help with anything, we can always study together," Saffron told her.

"You'll get tired of hearing me ask thousands of questions," Alexa told her.

"Nah," Saffron said. "I don't mind."

"Famous last words," Alexa said. She watched as her new friend unpacked some photo frames. "Is that your family?"

"Yes," Saffron said. "That's my mum, my dad, and my sister Julie. That's my dumb brother Ethan."

"You look like your mum," Alexa commented.

"Thanks," Saffron smiled at her.

"This is my mum and dad," Alexa said pulling out her own photograph.

"You look like your mum too," Saffron said.

"She's a lot prettier than me," Alexa said.

"You don't give yourself enough credit," Saffron told her.

Alexa shrugged.

"You don't," Saffron said. "Come on... let's get all unpacked."

"Right," Alexa said setting the photo frame by her bed.

"I can't wait until the first flying lesson," Saffron said. "And the first Quidditch match."

"A brainiac and a sports nut," Beth said.

"Only because Quidditch is the most amazing sport in the WORLD," Saffron said. "Someday I'm going to play for Puddlemere United."

"Who's that?" Alexa asked. "What's that?"

All three girls laughed. "Here," Saffron said, digging through her trunk and handing her a book. "Read that."

"Quidditch through the Ages?" Alexa asked.

"It's a fantastic book," Saffron said. "It'll tell you anything and everything you need to know about Quidditch."

"It's boring," Beth told Alexa. "And every boy is completely gaga over it."

"It is NOT boring," Saffron said. "It's completely fascinating!"

Alexa had started thumbing through the book and she looked at Saffron. "You've played this, Saffron?"

"With my dad and my brother," she made a face. "And sometimes RJ."

Alexa gaped at her. "Wow..."

"It's so much fun," Saffron said.

"And you can play this here?" Alexa asked.

"They have teams for each house," Saffron explained. "Gryffindor is definitely the best, of course. My brother was on the house team when he went to school here."

"And her dad, too," Mimi said. "Her father was the youngest seeker in over a century."

"Really?" Alexa was impressed.

Saffron nodded. "He's the best. I've been flying with him since I was a baby."

"Wow," Alexa said. "I can't believe all this... it's a whole other world than the one I grew up in."

"It's your world now," Saffron told her.

Alexa nodded. "I'll have to remember that," she said sheepishly.

"The other half of my family is Muggle-born like you," Saffron told her.

"Really?" Alexa asked.

Saffron nodded. "My grandparents on my mum's side."

Alexa felt a bit better hearing that. Saffron obviously knew a lot of things about both sides.

"So you don't have to worry about a thing," Saffron said smiling at her. "We're going to be great friends, Alexa O'Leary." She extended her pinky finger. "Deal?"

"Deal," Alexa grinned back at her, linking their fingers together.

"Saffy?" Alexa asked touching her friend's shoulder breaking Saffron out of her reverie. "Are you ready to leave? What's---what's wrong?"

"Nothing," Saffron said. "Just thinking back to our first night at Hogwarts."

Alexa smiled. "We stayed up talking most of the night."

"And we were dead on our feet for the first day of classes," Saffron said ruefully.

Alexa giggled. "I just keep remembering how you stomped on RJ's foot in the common room."

"That was classic," Saffron agreed as they left the house.

"What was it he called us?" Alexa asked. "Babies?"

"Something like that," Saffron smirked. "Like he was never an ickle firstie."

Alexa linked her arms with Saffron's. "You know, someday, you'll be sending little Ellie off to Hogwarts."

"Unless she's a squib," Saffron joked.

"Not Saffron Potter's kid," Alexa said.

"You're right," Saffron said. "That will be RJ's future son or daughter."

Alexa laughed. "Saffy!'

"It's true," Saffron said with a grin.

"I say we don't tell him that," Alexa said.

"Our secret," Saffron promised.

"One of our many," Alexa said grinning at her.

"Exactly," Saffron said. "Let's hurry! Ellie's starving!"

Alexa laughed. "You're starving, you mean."

"That too," Saffron took her arm.

Alexa opened the door to the pub and was surprised to see it was completely dark inside. "Saf---I think they might be closed..."

"What?" Saffron played. "This place is never closed!"

"The door was unlocked though," Alexa said, reaching into her bag for her wand.

"SURPRISE!" the shout made Alexa jump back and knock into Saffron.

Saffron laughed. "Mission accomplished!"

"What is this?" Alexa asked.

"Your going-away party," Mimi said coming forward to give her a hug.

"Saffy!" Alexa exclaimed. "You did this?"

"I had help," Saffron said smiling up at Andrew.

"And us," Beth said.

"I-I don't know what to say," Alexa said, feeling tears welling up in her eyes.

"We'll miss you, but at least you will have one last fun night with your friends," Saffron told her.

Gabriel came forward and put his arms around her.

"Hey," Alexa said happily.

"You had no idea?" Gabriel asked her.

"None," Alexa confessed.

Alexa hugged him. "This is fantastic."

Gabriel grinned at her. "I have to share you tonight, but tomorrow you're all mine."

Alexa touched his cheek. "I love you."

Gabriel gave her a kiss. "I love you too Lexie."

Beth took Alexa's arm. "Come on. Come and see your cake. We had to physical bar RJ from it."

Alexa gasped when she saw it. "You guys! This is too much!"

"Your mum made it," Saffron told her.

"That's why she wouldn't let me in the kitchen earlier," Alexa said, tears springing to her eyes.

"She was a great help in planning this," Saffron said squeezing her friend's hand.

Alexa couldn't hold back and began to sob.

"Lexie," Saffron said putting her arm around her. "Don't...you'll have me starting again."

"I'm sorry," Alexa wiped her eyes. "I'm just going to miss you all so much."

"We're going to miss you too," Saffron said. "But, we're going to stay in touch."

Alexa nodded.

"Saf's already planning a trip to California," Andrew said.

"In the spring, once Ellie is born," Saffron said.

"I can't wait," Alexa said, wiping at her eyes.

"Come on," Saffron said. "Let's get you something to drink and dig into the cake before RJ freaks out."

"I heard that, Saffron!" RJ called out.

"Just telling the truth," Saffron called back.

"She's so funny," RJ said sarcastically.

"I know," Saffron said smugly.

""I've got the drinks," Andrew said.

"What did you bring me?" Saffron asked her fiancé.

"Pumpkin juice," Andrew replied handing her a glass.

Saffron took it. "Thanks.... I wish it was butterbeer."

"I got myself pumpkin juice too," Andrew said grinning at her.

"You didn't have to," she told him.

Andrew shrugged. "I don't mind." He gave her a kiss. "You look beautiful, by the way."

"Flatterer," Saffron smiled at him.

"Me?" Andrew asked innocently.

"Yes you," Saffron leaned against him.

Andrew put his hand on her stomach. "How's my other girl doing today?"

"She's hungry," Saffron replied.

Andrew smiled. "And how's her mum?"

"Same," Saffron said. "Will you get me something to nibble on?"

"Of course," Andrew said. "I'll be right back."

"Thank you," Saffron said, turning back to Alexa.

"I can't believe this is my last night," Alexa said. "And I can't believe you guys pulled this off!"

"You weren't that hard to surprise," RJ said dryly.

Alexa nudged him. "Very funny, Weasley."

RJ slung an arm around her. "You're going to have fun over there, Lexie."

Alexa smiled up at him. "I think I'll miss you most of all, Scarecrow."

"Scarecrow?" RJ asked. "What?"

"It's from the 'Wizard of Oz'," Saffron rolled her eyes. "Don't you remember when Dorothy is saying goodbye to her friends before she tries to head back to Kansas? Honestly, RJ---"

"But Alexa's not going to Kansas," RJ shot back.

"How do you manage to get out of bed in the morning?" Saffron asked incredulously.

RJ shook his head. "I don't know what you're talking about."

Alexa laughed. "It's okay, RJ. I'm going to miss you and Saffy arguing."

"We promise never to stop," RJ joked.

"You couldn't if you tried," Alexa laughed.

"Saf would miss it too much," RJ threw his other arm around the brunette. "She lives to put me in my place."

"I love it," Saffron said elbowing him in the ribs.

"Of course you do," RJ said. "I bet your daughter will jump right in."

"Our daughter will be doing what?" Andrew asked setting a plate of food in front of Saffron.

"Making fun of RJ," Saffron replied, grabbing a fork.

"I'm not too late for that, am I?" Andrew asked.

"It's an ongoing thing," RJ said. "Thanks mate."

"You're welcome," Andrew said. "So, Lexie, you all packed?"

Alexa nodded. "All but my laptop."

"And she loved the photo album," Saffron told Andrew.

"I told you," Andrew replied.

RJ looked at Alexa. "And you can tell all your new friends that I am even more handsome in person."

"Why would she lie?" Saffron cracked.

"I missed the part of the invitation that said this was 'dump on RJ' day," RJ said.

"It wouldn't be a party without it," Beth jumped in.

"I thought it was part of the entertainment," Audrey chimed in.

RJ stared at her. "Not you too!"

Audrey grinned. "You're just too much fun, RJ."

"Thanks," RJ grumbled. "My own girlfriend..."

"I like her more and more everyday," Saffron said.

Audrey laughed. "Wait until Ellie learns to talk."

"She's going to be crazy about me and she'll ignore all of you and the bad things you say about me," RJ said.

"This IS my daughter you're talking about," Saffron said.

"I'll try and put a good word in for you every now and then," Andrew said.

"We blokes have to stick together," RJ agreed.

Saffron let out an evil-sounding laugh.

Alexa giggled. "Saffy!"

Saffron looked innocently at her friends. "What?"

"You're eating like my dad,” RJ said.

"I'm eating for two," Saffron said defensively.

"What's your excuse?" Andrew asked RJ.

"I'm a Weasley," RJ replied. "It's what we do."

"I'm going to miss this," Alexa said wistfully.

"I'll ring you anytime the two of them have a row," Andrew promised her.

Gabriel laughed. "You'll be on the phone 24/7."

"I'll never get any studying done," Alexa said.

"You won't anyway, visiting Gabe all the time," Saffron teased.

"In the library or in one of his labs," Alexa said. "He's going to be busy with pre-med."

"I'll always have time for my girl," Gabriel replied.

Alexa smiled. "Let's go and get something to eat. I'm starving."

"Sure," Gabriel reached for her hand

Alexa led the way over to the refreshment table and grabbed a plate. "Gabe...I don't know how I'm going to say goodbye to everyone."

"It's not like you'll be gone forever," Gabriel said.

"I know," Alexa said. "But, it's still going to be hard to say goodbye to them."

Gabriel put his arm around her. "I wish I could make it easier for you."

"It's easier because I know I'll get to see you," Alexa said leaning against him.

"I can't wait for that," he pressed his lips to the side of her head.

Alexa smiled. "I love you."

"Love you too," he answered. "I'm so glad you're coming with me."

"Me too," Alexa said. "I'm happy, excited, scared and nervous all at the same time."

Gabriel laughed. "Are you going to be able to handle it?"

"I think so," Alexa said smiling at him. "I have a really supportive boyfriend."

"What a great guy," Gabriel joked.

"He is," Alexa said.

Gabriel slid his arms around her waist as she got herself some food. "And that guy has a perfect girlfriend."

"She's far from perfect," Alexa said. "But I bet she's perfect for him."

Gabriel leaned in and gave her a kiss.

Alexa grinned. "Those always make me feel better."

"There's plenty more where that came from," Gabriel said, taking her plate.

"Thank you," Alexa said leading the way back to their table.

They rejoined the group, laughing as Saffron and RJ engaged in another round of verbal sparring.

"You have got to be kidding me," Saffron asked, shaking her head. "RJ---"

"Don't deny it Saffron," RJ said, smirking.

"I'm emphatically denying it," Saffron said throwing a bread roll at him. "You are delusional."

"I'm just saying you know your baby is going to prefer me when she gets older," RJ said, catching the roll.

"Ellie is going to be a lot smarter than that," Saffron said putting a hand to her stomach.

"I'm going to spoil her then send her back to you," RJ said with a wicked grin.

"She's going to be spoiled rotten," Alexa said. "Me, her grandparents, RJ, her aunts and uncles..."

"And us," Beth said, nudging Mimi. "We get to see her once in awhile too!"

"I have a vision of her decked out in all pink and bows," Saffron said teasing her friends. "If we let her spend a lot of time with you, Beth."

"She'll be so cute!" Beth nodded.

"I'll keep her in check," Mimi said.

"Promise?" Saffron deadpanned.

"Absolutely," Mimi said.

"Good," Saffron said. "But... tonight's not about Ellie. It's about Alexa and her last night here."

"I love talking about Ellie," Alexa reassured her.

"I know, but it's monopolising the conversation," Saffron said. "We want to hear more about what you'll be doing over in America."

"Well, classes start on Wednesday," Alexa told them. "I have freshman orientation on Monday."

"I'm so glad to be done with school," Mimi said. "No more homework, ever!"

"I always enjoyed our assignments," Saffron said. "I miss it, actually. The papers, the exams, the reading..."

Beth and Mimi looked at each other and rolled their eyes.

"You enjoyed homework?" RJ asked. "Saffy--"

"I always did," Saffron said. "Except for Potions."

"Well, I might have to ring you for help on some of my assignments," Alexa said.

Saffron smiled. "I'll do what I can to help you."

"Thanks," Alexa said.

"I'll do what I can, too." Gabriel put an arm around her. "But likely you'll do just fine."

"The maths and sciences are what have me worried," Alexa said.

"Those are my specialties," Gabriel grinned at her.

Alexa grinned back at him. "I knew you were handy for some reason."

He poked her side. "That's not the only reason."

Alexa rested her head on his shoulder.

The evening passed enjoyably for everyone and Alexa finally begged off so she could go home and get some sleep.

"I'll be over tomorrow morning," Saffron promised. "First thing."

"You don't have to--" Alexa began.

"I want to," Saffron cut her off. "And I would never live with myself if I didn't get to say a final goodbye and good luck to my best friend in the whole world."

"Thanks Saffy," Alexa hugged her tightly. "I'll see you in the morning then. Thank you so much for the party."

Alexa moved over to RJ who smiled down at her. "Take care of yourself, O'Leary."

"You too," Alexa poked him. "Be nice to Saffy."

"I'll try," RJ said giving her a hug. "I'll miss you."

"I'll miss you too," Alexa said. "Write to me once in awhile."

"I will," RJ promised. He looked at Gabriel. "Have a save trip home, mate."

"Thanks," Gabriel extended his hand.

RJ shook it. "Take care of her."

"Always do," Gabriel grinned.

Beth and Mimi gave their former roommate a group hug. "Guys," Alexa laughed. "I can't breathe!"

"This is the last time we're going to see you for awhile!" Mimi said tearfully.

"I'll be back," Alexa promised. "And you guys can write me!"

"All the time," Beth nodded.

"And we have Saffy's shower," Alexa said. "I'll be back for that."

"Promise you won't go forgetting us?" Beth asked.

"There's no way I could ever forget you guys," Alexa said wiping at her eyes.

"Because we're so fabulous," Mimi said.

"You are," Alexa said softly.

"Have fun out there," Beth told her.

"Good luck, Lexie," Mimi said.

"Thanks Meems," Alexa said. "Be good with Jake."

"I always am," Mimi said leaning against her boyfriend.

"And me too," Beth squeezed Peter's hand.

Alexa nodded before taking Gabriel's hand. "Let's go."

Gabriel put an arm around her when they left. "Cold?"

Alexa shook her head. "No---just sad."

"It'll be okay," he assured her.

"I know," Alexa said softly.

"I promise I'll be there when you need me," he looked over at her. "You may have to pull me out of the books once in awhile..."

Alexa laughed. "I'll do my best."

"You'll do great," Gabriel said. "Everyone over there will love you."

"As long as one particular person loves me over there that's all that matters," Alexa grinned.

"I'll always love you," Gabriel looked over at her. "Sometimes I still can't believe we're together."

"Me either," Alexa admitted. "But, I'm so glad we found each other."

"Me too," he kissed the side of her head. "We're going to have a blast over there together."

"I can't believe I'm actually doing this," Alexa said.

"It's a big step," he nodded. "I know all about those."

"Yes, you do," Alexa said softly. "You took a big one when you decided to seek out your father."

"That was one of the scariest things I've done." Gabriel admitted.

"Did you think he wouldn't believe you?" Alexa asked.

"Yeah," Gabriel said. "Or I thought he'd hate me."

"Oh, Gabe," Alexa said squeezing his hand. "You really thought he would?"

He shrugged. "I wasn't sure. My mother didn't have time to tell me anything, and Grandpa wouldn't talk about him at all."

"Well, you look just like him," Alexa said. "There's no way he would have doubted you."

"There was still that fear," Gabriel said. "I think anyone feels that way when they're doing something they've never done before."

"I can certainly relate to that," Alexa said. "I, for one, am glad that you did seek him out because it eventually brought you to me."

Gabriel squeezed her hand then leaned in and gave her a kiss.

"I love you," Alexa said when they broke apart.

"I love you too," he said softly. "I'm taking you out to celebrate once you're settled in. And we're going to have a night to ourselves."

"Before everything gets too crazy with our schedules," Alexa said.

"That will happen fast," he predicted.

"Says the voice of experience," Alexa said smiling at him.

"You better believe it," Gabriel laughed. "Been there done that."

"So, I'll see you tomorrow morning?" Alexa asked. "Bright and early."

"I'll be there," Gabriel said. "With a box of tissues for Saffron."

Alexa gave him one last kiss. "And a box for me, too."

Gabriel smiled. "You'll be too excited because it means you're going to see me all the time."

"You think so?" Alexa asked nudging him.

"Told you," Gabriel said. "Voice of experience. You said it yourself."

"With a high opinion of himself," Alexa teased.

"Only because I have a great girlfriend who keeps telling me so," Gabriel nudged her.

Alexa laughed. "I guess this is good night."

Gabriel leaned in and gave her a long, thorough kiss. "That'll have to last you until tomorrow... and until we can be alone again."

Alexa smiled at him. "Good night."

"Night Lexie," he said softly.

"Night," Alexa whispered before stepping inside her house.

283. Chapter 283---The Sorting Hat and Katie Malfoy

Authors’ note: Someone on this site apparently decided to report our story thinking that it was in violation of the portkey rules. Well, to put that person’s mind at ease, we will refer them to http://talk.portkey.org/index.php?act=findpost&pid=411422. So thank you to that person for their “concern”.

To the rest of you guys, thank you so much for reading and for your continued support. You are why we keep writing and we’re glad that you’ve enjoyed the story and all its twists and turns. There is so much more in store for all of them.

August flew by quickly and Ashley and Katie found themselves getting onto the Hogwarts Express. Ashley led her sister down the corridor. "You can sit with us, if you want..."

Katie shrugged. "Lindsey said she was going to be around here somewhere. Maybe I will until I find her."

"Okay," Ashley said. "And if you get hungry, there's a lady who comes down the corridor once we get going. That's why Dad gave us that money."

"Fine," Katie said, glancing into the different compartments as they passed.

"And we'll see Mum tonight at the feast," Ashley said.

"I know," Katie said impatiently. "Let's go sit down."

Ashley sighed. She was trying to be nice to her little sister thinking that she might be apprehensive about starting school.

Ashley saw her friends sitting in a compartment with a few other Gryffindors in their year. "Hey you guys," she said happily, opening the door.

"Hi, Ash," they all said.

"This is my little sister, Katie," Ashley said. "Katie, you know Brit and Zander, of course. This is Evan, Corinne and Sam..."

"Hi," Katie said, her eyes brightening when she saw Brittany. "Hey Brit!"

Brittany smiled at the younger girl. "Hiya, Katie."

Ashley sat down next to Zander. "Did everyone have a good summer?"

Evan nodded. "Yeah, it was great. How was yours?"

"Not bad," Ashley said, choosing for obvious reasons not to mention what had gone on.

Corinne looked at Katie. "You look like your Mum."

"Thanks," Katie sat down next to the window.

"You two don't look that much alike," Corinne commented to Ashley.

"I look a lot like my dad," Ashley explained.

Sam rolled his eyes as he caught Zander looking at Ashley.

"So you two didn't do anything at all together over summer hols?" he asked sarcastically.

"We all saw each other at the beach if that's what you mean," Brittany said.

"It's not," he smirked.

"Leave it, Sam," Zander said, glaring at him.

"Come on mate," Evan agreed. "Let's have a nice ride back."

Sam shrugged. "Whatever."

Katie leaned back as the train pulled out of the station. "How long is this ride again?"

"Just a couple of hours," Zander replied.

"Is it like this the whole way?" Katie asked, indicating the scenery.

Ashley nodded. "It's really pretty, isn't it?"

"It's okay," Katie shrugged.

Ashley sighed. She wondered what her sister expected. Bright lights and neon signs?

The compartment door slid open and a pretty brown haired girl peered inside. Ashley recognised her as Celia Benson, a third-year Hufflepuff.

"Has anyone seen Tara?" Celia asked.

"Who's Tara?" Corinne asked.

"My rat," Celia replied, causing Katie to squeal and jump on top of her seat.

"RATS?" Katie screeched. "No one said ANYTHING about rats!"

"Katie, calm down," Ashley said to her sister. "Remember, in your letter, it tells you that you can bring a toad, an owl or a rat."

"But what if it bites?" Katie asked.

Celia laughed. "Tara wouldn't bite anyone!"

"If we see her we'll let you know," Evan promised.

"Thanks," Celia said, her eyes lingering on Zander for a moment before leaving.

Brittany noticed this and sent her cousin a knowing grin.

"What kind of girl brings a rat to school?" Katie asked in disbelief. "Honestly!"

"Katie, relax," Ashley said. "Lots of girls have rats for pets."

"Not this one," Katie said.

"Just calm down," Ashley told her. "I'm sure Tara's not in here."

Katie reluctantly put her feet down. "Okay..."

"Are you excited about starting school?" Brittany asked her.

Katie nodded. "Yes."

"Wait until you meet Hagrid," Brittany told her. "He's really cool. Snape of course is disgusting--"

"I've met Hagrid," Katie said. "Loads of times. He's known my grandfather forever!"

"She knows Headmaster Wood as well," Ashley said. "He's come over for dinner a few times."

"Your mum was shagging him, wasn't she?" Sam asked with a smirk.

"Sam!" Evan exclaimed.

"No," Ashley said angrily. "That was a disgusting rumour."

"She's always with him," Sam said shrugging. "Everyone's said it."

"Because she's Deputy Headmistress," Ashley snapped. "Get your facts straight."

"In fact, why don't you find somewhere else to sit?" Zander asked.

"No kidding," Brittany said dismissively. "We don't need your negativity."

Sam stood up and smirked at them. "I'll see you losers, later."

"I just don't get it mate," Zander said. "I know what you told us before about him... but it just never seems to get better."

"He's absolutely horrid," Brittany said.

"I know," Evan said regretfully. "He was at my place for about half the summer and the rest he was at home..."

"Why would he say something like that about Mum?" Katie asked Ashley.

"Because he's a wanker," Ashley said. "Other people, especially Slytherins, might try and say stuff. For the most part, I just ignore it."

"Mum's amazing," Katie said loyally. "And if anyone says anything about her, I'll kick them in the shin!"

Ashley smiled. "That's the spirit."

Katie smiled back at her sister. "Those stupid Slytherins better not say anything about her or Daddy."

"They won't," Ashley said reassuringly.

"They better not," Katie said determinedly.

"Ooh," Brittany said. "There's the witch with the food cart. I'm starving!"

"It's on me, Brit," Evan said reaching into his pocket.

"I've got ours," Ashley said. "Come on Katie, let's go pick out some good stuff before it's all taken."

Katie nodded. "Okay."

Ashley smiled at Katie's expression when she saw the cart- it was clear she was overwhelmed at the sight of all the sweets there were. "Get whatever you want," she said.

Katie grabbed a package of Drooble's, a Cauldron Cake, some Pumpkin Pasties and some Liquorice Wands.

Ashley picked out her own selection including several chocolate frogs and paid.

She turned and nearly collided with Zander. "Sorry---didn't know you were right behind me."

"It's okay," he said. "I didn't mean-- I mean I didn't--"

"It's okay," Ashley said smiling at him.

Katie looked at her sister and Zander with raised eyebrows.

"I bought some chocolate frogs," Ashley said. "If I have any cards you don't have, you're welcome to them."

"Thanks," Zander said, rummaging through the mass of sweets.

"He still fancies you," Katie whispered to her sister as they made their way back to the compartment.

"We're just friends again," Ashley said softly.

"You okay with that?" Katie asked.

"Yes," Ashley replied.

Ashley turned to look at her best friend, who was talking with Celia Benson.

"Looks like someone else fancies him," Katie said.

"Maybe he's asking her about Tara," Ashley said thoughtfully.

"Could be," Katie said. "But maybe he's asking her to Hogsmeade- you guys get to go this year, right?"

Ashley nodded. "And I'll bring you some sweets when I go. I promise."

"Really?" Katie asked.

"Of course," Ashley said. "I'll be your connection."

"Thanks," Katie said gratefully. "This ride isn't so bad after all."

Ashley smiled. "You know if you need any help or anyone to talk to, I'm always here."

Katie nodded. "I wonder where Lindsey is."

"You can go looking for her," Ashley said.

"I thought we weren't supposed to go running around," Katie said.

"You can look down the corridor," Ashley told her. "I know you want to find your friend."

"Okay," Katie said. "I'll see you later."

Katie passed Evan and Brittany as she left the compartment. "Where's Zander?" Ashley asked her two friends.

"I don't know," Brittany said. "I guess he's still talking to Celia"

"Oh," Ashley said quietly.

"Are you okay?" Brittany asked.

"Yes," Ashley said. "Of course."

She sat back down. "Katie's off looking for a friend of hers. I think I'm going to do some drawing while I have space to stretch out."

"Okay," Brittany said.

Ashley pulled out her sketchpad. She pretended to be drawing scenery but really was drawing a picture of Brittany and Evan who were sitting closely and talking.

"I can't eat half of this because of these stupid braces," Brittany said watching as Evan ate a liquorice wand.

"They don't look bad," Evan told her.

"You're just saying that," Brittany pouted.

"I am not," Evan said.

"You are," Brittany said putting her head on his shoulder.

"You always can tell when I'm lying," Evan said. "Why bother?"

Brittany smiled. "You're fantastic, Evan."

Ashley shook her head. "Shall I leave you two alone?"

"No," Brittany replied. "Ash, what are you drawing?'

"Scenery," Ashley said, deciding to show them the drawing once it was complete.

"It's moving so fast," Evan joked. "How can you do that?'

"Memory," Ashley said with a grin.

Zander came back inside. "Hiya."

"Where have you been?" Brittany asked.

"Getting sweets," Zander replied.

"And getting sweet with Celia?" Brittany asked innocently.

Zander's cheeks reddened. "No, we were just talking about Tara is all."

"Sure," Brittany smirked as Ashley straightened up in the seat.

"Shut it, Metal Mouth," Zander retorted.

"Zander," Ashley nudged him. "Remember you promised not to make fun of her."\

"Right," Zander grumbled.

"Be nice," Ashley said, finishing her drawing.

Zander smiled. "Okay. How about we look at our frogs and see what cards we got?"

"Sure," Ashley said, closing her book and setting it aside.

Zander opened up his first frog and laughed as it jumped out of the package. He pulled out the card. "Your grandfather."

"How many of him do we have now?" Ashley asked, shaking her head.

"Thirty," Zander laughed. "Who did you get?"

"Hogarth the Horrible," Ashley said.

"I have four of him," Zander said.

Ashley tossed it aside. "Okay..." she said, biting into her frog.

Zander smiled at her. He couldn't help himself. She was still the prettiest girl in the world to him. They might not have made it as boyfriend and girlfriend, but he was glad to still have her as a friend. And maybe someday, things could be different.

Meanwhile, Katie had finally located Lindsey near the rear of the train. "I've been looking all over for you!"

"I've been looking for you," Lindsey said. "I love your hair!"

"It does look fabulous, doesn't it?" Katie tossed her head.

"It does," Lindsey said. "So what have you been doing?'

"Sitting with my sister and her friends," Katie replied. "I just got some sweets."

"Me too!" Lindsey exclaimed. "You will not believe the losers that wanted to sit with me."

"Like who?" Katie wrinkled her nose.

"I didn't bother with their names," Lindsey replied.

"Probably a good idea," Katie said. "Want to come sit with us? They're all third years."

Lindsey nodded enthusiastically. "Absolutely."

"Zander's kind of dorky, but Brittany's really fun," Katie said, leading her up to the front where their compartment was.

"This is so cool," Lindsey said following Katie.

"I can't believe we're finally going to Hogwarts," Katie said.

"I know," Lindsey agreed. "Now we just have to find out what house we'll be in."

"I'm sure I'll be in Gryffindor, just like everyone else in my family," Katie bragged.

"As long as it's not Hufflepuff," Lindsey said. "They're nothing but a bunch of losers."

"Oh I know right?" Katie agreed, leading Lindsey back to their compartment.

Ashley smiled warmly at her sister. "You found her. Hello, Lindsey."

"Hi," Lindsey replied.

"Lindsey, these are my friends, Evan and Brittany and this is Zander."

"Hi," Lindsey said, dismissing Zander and focusing on Brittany. "Katie says you're really cool."

Zander and Ashley shared an amused look.

"I am the coolest," Brittany said beaming at her.

"Katie said you know a lot about makeup and fashion," Lindsey said. "I like those things too."

Zander nudged Ashley. "Brittany's collecting minions," he whispered.

"Prepare for world domination," she joked.

Zander laughed. "Merlin, we can barely live with one. How are we going to live with two more?"

"It's a terrifying thought," Ashley deadpanned.

"I didn't like your braces at first," Katie said thoughtfully to Brittany. "But, they're kind of growing on me now."

"Katie!" Ashley exclaimed.

"It's okay," Brittany said waving her hand.

"No it's not," Ashley said. "Mum told you to watch what you say, Katie."

Brittany sensed an argument forming and she quickly pulled a magazine from her bag. "Have you girls seen the new Teen Witch magazine? You are not going to believe the dress robes they say are in style this winter..."

"Ooooh," Katie reached for it eagerly.

The rest of the train ride passed by without any problems. Ashley told her sister that she'd see her later and Katie took off with the other first years and Hagrid. She would never admit it to anyone, but she was nervous. She told herself not to worry. In a few minutes, she'd know exactly what house she'd be sorted into.

"Wow," Lindsey said in awe. "This place is--"

"Welcome to Hogwarts," Julie said approaching the group of first years. "My name is Julie Malfoy, I am deputy headmistress. I am also the head of Gryffindor House. In just a few moments, I will lead you through these doors and you will be sorted into one of four houses----Hufflepuff, Slytherin, Gryffindor or Ravenclaw."

Katie wanted to say hello to her mother but Julie was looking over the entire group.

"And before any of you ask, no you do not have to swim the moat or fight a dragon to find out which house you're going to be in," Julie said with a grin. "When I was in school here, my best friend tried to tell me that I'd have to take on the Giant Squid."

A small titter of nervous laughter moved through the first years as Julie motioned for them to follow her into the Great Hall.

The doors slowly opened and Katie felt her stomach churn as she felt every eye in the room fall on her and her fellow students.

Lindsey moved closer to her as they walked nervously down the centre aisle towards the front where an old tattered hat sat on a stool.

Katie was startled when the hat started to twitch. A rip near the brim of the hat opened wide like a mouth and the hat started to sing. Katie barely heard what it said---something about each of the houses. She was broken out of her reverie when the other students clapped loudly as the hat finished its song.

Julie picked up the hat. "When I call your name, you'll put on the hat and sit on the stool to be sorted. Anderson, Bronwyn."

Lindsey sighed. "This is going to take forever," she whispered.

Katie was impatient as well. She folded her arms as one by one; the other first years were sorted. Finally, she heard her mother call her name.

"Malfoy, Katherine," Julie announced.

Gulping, Katie headed up to the stool and her mother gave her an encouraging smile.

Julie placed the hat on Katie's head and Katie inhaled. "Interesting," said a small voice in her ear. "A Malfoy and a Potter, eh? Brave and fearless, are you. But, cunning and ambitious, as well. Where to put you?"

"Gryffindor," Katie whispered almost inaudibly.

"Gryffindor would serve you well, I'm sure," the small voice said in her ear. "But, you want nothing more than to win, I therefore declare that you, my girl, are SLYTHERIN!" the hat announced.

Ashley had been set to applaud her sister's position in Gryffindor but her jaw dropped instead.

Katie looked helplessly at her mother. "No, Mum. I can't be. Do it again..."

Julie was shocked too, but had to recover quickly. "I'm sorry baby..." she said. "Once it's made its choice--"

"But, I'm a Gryffindor like everyone else," Katie pleaded.

"Katie..." Julie said quietly. "You have to go sit with your House, sweetheart."

Katie reluctantly stood up and walked to the Slytherin table.

Ashley was still in disbelief. "Katie's....Katie's a Slytherin."

"I can't believe it," Brittany was also surprised.

"Well, you heard the hat," Zander said thoughtfully. "...in Slytherin you'll make your real friends. Those cunning folk use any means to achieve their ends. That sounds exactly like Katie, doesn't it?"

Ashley and Brittany both shot him glares.

"She's ambitious is all," Brittany said.

Ashley nodded. "I'm sure she'll be okay..."

Katie was relieved that Lindsey had also been sorted into Slytherin.

"Wow," Lindsey said as she joined her. "Who'd have thought? Slytherin!"

"I was positive I'd get Gryffindor," Katie said.

"Yeah but now we're together," Lindsey said. "And we can do just fine in Slytherin."

Katie looked around at the other Slytherins.

Most of them seemed rather bored with the whole proceeding, and many of the girls were instead poring over magazines and talking.

"Hello," a girl with porcelain white skin and long black hair said to Katie. "Did I hear right? Your name is Katherine Malfoy?"

Katie nodded. "Yes."

"I'm a fourth year," the girl said extending her hand. "I'm Jemima Brocklehurst."

"Hi," Katie said, shaking the other girl's hand.

"I'm Lindsey Gill," Lindsey told her. "My father works at the Ministry."

"It's nice to meet both of you," Jemima said. "Don't worry... you two were sorted into the best house."

"Green does look good on you, Katie," Lindsey chimed in.

Katie sat up a bit straighter. "It does, doesn't it?"

"Absolutely," Lindsey said.

"The Malfoy family has a great history with the Slytherin house," Jemima told Katie.

"We do?" Katie asked.

Jemima looked at her. "Are you kidding? You don't know?"

"My family doesn't talk about that side," Katie said. "Not too often..."

"That's your heritage too," Jemima said. "Draco Malfoy was a legend in our house. He's your grandfather, Katherine."

"I've met him once," Katie said.

"Well, he did ruin his reputation a bit when he married a Weasley," another girl chimed in. "All they're known for is churning out children."

Katie opened her mouth to defend her aunt Maddie but the other girl continued.

"Weasleys," the girl sniffed. "They should be in the kitchen with the house elves."

"Totally," Lindsey scoffed.

Katie bit her lip. She didn't like anyone saying bad things about the people she loved, but she didn't want to make a bad impression. She was going to be stuck with these people for the next seven years.

She decided to stay quiet and just let people say what they were going to say.

Food appeared on the platters before them and everyone busied themselves eating and catching up with old and new friends. Julie stood up from the faculty table to check in with her daughters.

"Ashley," Julie said to her oldest. "How was your train ride?"

"It was good," Ashley said. "I got some sketching done."

"You'll have to show them to me tomorrow," Julie said.

Ashley nodded. "After class."

"Enjoy the rest of your meal," Julie said squeezing her daughter's shoulder. "I'm going to see how Katie's doing."

"I can't believe she's in Slytherin, Mum." Ashley said. "I really thought she'd be in Gryffindor."

"So did I," Julie said. "But Katie will be fine. She's tough."

Ashley nodded. "I'll still help her if she needs me to."

Julie smiled. "Thanks, Ashley. I'll let her know."

"See you tomorrow," Ashley said.

Julie walked across the room to where her youngest daughter was sitting.

Katie saw her mother approaching and smiled at her.

"Katie, do you mind if I have a word?" Julie asked.

"Sure," Katie said, getting up.

Julie led her daughter just outside the Great Hall. "I just wanted to see how you were doing. I know that the sorting kind of threw you for a loop."

"It's okay," Katie said. "I think I'm going to like it there. There's a girl named Jemima Brocklehurst that was really nice to me and Lindsey."

"Oh," Julie said. "Well, that's---that's nice."

"I'll be all right," Katie said.

Julie gave her a hug. "I'm proud of you, baby."

"Thanks," Katie hugged her mother back.

"Your sister and I are here if you need any help," Julie said.

"I don't think I'll need it," Katie said confidently.

Julie smiled at her. She had been worried that Katie would have fought her on this and demanded the Sorting Hat choose again. "You'll do well, I know you will."

Katie nodded. "Especially since I already made some new friends."

"Just be careful around Jemima Brocklehurst," Julie warned.

"She's really nice," Katie said.

Julie would beg to differ. She thought the girl was a gossip and a troublemaker. "Just be careful and don't feel as if you have to do anything those girls say."

"I know," Katie replied.

"That's my girl," Julie said. "Let's go back inside."

Katie eagerly rejoined her new friends. "Sorry."

"No problem, Katherine," Jemima said. "Lindsey was just telling me that you have a recording studio in your home."

"My dad's," Katie nodded.

"I'd like to see it sometime," Jemima said. "I imagine its top notch."

Katie was flattered. "Maybe during the hols."

Headmaster Wood stood up and made his usual beginning of the year announcements. When he mentioned the Forbidden Forest, Ashley and Zander shared a look.

Brittany noticed this. "What's with you two?"

"What?" Zander asked innocently.

"That look," Brittany said.

"What look?" Ashley asked. "There was no look."

Brittany shook her head. "You two can be so annoying," she complained.

Zander picked up his fork and took a bite of the treacle tart. It was Brittany's favourite and because of her braces she wasn't able to eat it. "Mmmmm, this is so good. Would you like some Brit?"

"Shut it," Brittany glared at him.

"Zander," Corinne nudged him. "Celia Benson is staring at you."

Zander turned red.

Ashley's smile faltered a bit.

"We were talking on the train," Zander mumbled. "She's all right, I guess."

Ashley moved her food around on her plate.

"What's wrong, Ashley?" Sam taunted.

"Nothing," Ashley muttered.

Ashley looked over at her sister and was surprised to see her deep in conversation with some of the older girls at the Slytherin table.

"She doesn't seem too upset," Brittany commented.

"Not at all," Ashley mused. "I suppose that's a good thing..."

"She'd better watch it around girls like Jemima Brocklehurst and Piper Miller," Brittany said looking disdainfully at the fourth year Slytherin girls.

"It looks like they're being nice to her..." Ashley said doubtfully.

"When have you ever known the two of them to be nice unless they wanted something from someone?" Brittany asked.

"I just hope they don't use her for something," Ashley said worriedly. "Katie's pretty tough but those two..."

"We'll look out for her," Brittany said.

"Thanks," Ashley said.

"You know, there's a rumour going around about you," Sam said to Zander while the two girls were talking.

"What sort of rumour?" Zander asked suspiciously.

"Someone said you and Ashley went out this summer," Sam said with a grin.

"That's none of your business," Zander said.

"So it's true," Sam said gleefully. "I didn't think you had it in you."

"Shut it, wanker." Zander snapped.

"You snog her or were you too scared?" Sam asked.

"Cool it, mate." Evan broke in.

"Let's ask Ashley, shall we?" Sam asked. "Hey, Malfoy? How was it snogging Zander?"

Ashley gaped at him.

"Leave her alone," Zander warned him.

"What are you going to do if I don't?" Sam asked.

"Shut it for you," Zander said gripping the edge of the table.

"Guys," Ashley said. "Don't get into a fight on the first night at school."

"Just leave it, Sam," Evan told his friend. "Come on, Ash is right."

"You two are sick," Sam muttered.

Ashley sighed. "We're sick?"

Sam snorted. "You two--"

"You're just jealous," Brittany said.

"Of what?" Sam smirked.

"Let's just go," Ashley said. "Come on...it's late."

"I'm pretty tired," Brittany agreed.

Zander shot a warning look at Sam. "Yeah, let's get out of here."

"Go snog," Sam taunted.

Ashley held Zander back. "Leave it, Zander. He's not worth it."

"You're right," Zander said.

"Good night, lovebirds," Sam called after them.

"Ignore," Ashley muttered. "Hey listen, I'm going to say good night to Katie really quick. Wait for me?"

"Of course," Brittany said.

Ashley made her way over to the Slytherin table. "Katie?"

Katie turned. "Hi, Ashley."

"I... I just wanted to say good night," Ashley said. "I guess I'll see you at breakfast in the morning."

Ashley saw Jemima whisper something in Piper's ear and the two girls snickered and then looked at Ashley.

Ashley chose to ignore them. "You can still come and talk to me if you need anything."

"She won't," Jemima broke in. "We'll take good care of her..."

"That's what I'm afraid of," Ashley muttered under her breath.

"I'll be fine," Katie said, tossing her hair.

"See?" Piper asked with a smirk.

Ashley shook her head. "See you in the morning, Katie."

"Night, Ashley," Katie said.

Ashley cast the older girls a look before heading out to meet her friends.

"Everything okay?" Brittany asked.

"That Jemima..." Ashley shook her head. "She's trouble."

"She is," Brittany agreed. "But, we're here. We'll watch out for Katie."

"I appreciate your help," Ashley said. "You know how much she looks up to you."

Brittany tossed her hair over her shoulder. "Well, I am a role model."

Zander rolled his eyes. "Yeah sure."

"I am," Brittany punched him on the shoulder. "And the two of you would be completely lost without me."

"Or better off," Zander cracked.

"Shut it, Zander," Brittany retorted.

Ashley laughed. "Come on you two."

"This is going to be the best year ever," Brittany announced.

"I hope so," Zander sneaked another look at Ashley.

"You're going to make the Quidditch team," Ashley said confidently.

"I better," Zander said. "I practised all the time after we got back from Brighton."

"You'll make it," Ashley said. "And we will be there cheering you on for every match."

"Thanks," he said gratefully.

"You and Evan," Brittany said.

"I didn't know Evan was trying out," Zander said.

"He said he was thinking about it," Brittany said.

"I hope he's not going to try out for Seeker," Zander said.

Brittany shook her head. "No, he was going to try for---that one position, what was it? The one that stays at the posts---and just sits there most of the time?"

"Keeper," Zander rolled his eyes. "Honestly."

"Keeper, hitter, whatever," Brittany said waving her hand.

Zander shook his head disgustedly.

Brittany led the way into the common room. Ashley had to laugh at the look on Zander's face. "You know she only does that to exasperate you."

"I should be used to it by now," he said sheepishly.

Brittany hurried ahead of them to say hello to one of the older Gryffindors. Ashley looked at him. "You know she'll support you, even if she doesn't understand it."

"I know," Zander told her.

"And Sam's an idiot," Ashley said. "Don't even think on what he said."

"I never do," Zander said. "He's such a wanker."

"Good," Ashley smiled.

"Are you looking forward to starting new classes?" he asked.

Ashley nodded.

"Are you taking Divination?"

Ashley laughed. "No. Remember? You and I are taking Ancient Runes while Brit's taking that."

"Oh yeah," Zander said. "I forgot."

Ashley smiled at him. "She can predict our futures."

"Now that's a scary thought," Zander replied as he tossed his cloak onto the sofa.

"My grandfather and my Uncle Ron used to make up things when they took it," Ashley told him.

"You should see if they still have it and let Brit copy it." Zander joked.

Ashley giggled. "Zander!"

"What's so funny?" Brittany asked.

"Nothing," Ashley and Zander said in unison.

Brittany was the one to roll her eyes. "Come on Ash. Let's go claim our beds."

"Okay," Ashley said. She turned to look at Zander. She was so happy that they were friends again. Things weren't like they used to be, but they were getting there. "I guess I'll see you tomorrow morning?"

Zander nodded. "Have a good night."

Ashley smiled at him again before she and Brittany walked upstairs.

Meanwhile in the Slytherin dungeons, Jemima had just led Katie and Lindsey to the dormitories.

Katie looked around in awe. "I cannot wait to write Caroline and tell her about this!"

Jemima looked down at the younger girl. "Caroline?"

"She's my best friend," Katie explained.

"Is she a Muggle?" Jemima asked, her nose scrunching up on the word "Muggle". "Is that why she's not here?"

"She's a year younger than me," Katie replied. "But she's magical."

"She's a Weasley," Lindsey told Jemima.

Jemima wrinkled her nose. "You're best friends with a WEASLEY?"

Katie glared at Lindsey. "Well, yes, Jemima, but---"

"I never thought I'd see the day when a Malfoy would associate with a Weasley," Jemima replied coolly.

"Her uncle even married one," Lindsey said, earning another death glare from Katie.

"I see," Jemima moved away from the two first years.

"Are you ready to see our rooms?" Lindsey asked turning to Katie.

"Not with you," Katie said coldly.

"Why?" Lindsey asked.

"You just can't keep your big mouth shut," Katie snapped.

"You're the one who brought Caroline up," Lindsey pointed out.

"But you didn't have to go on about her being a Weasley," Katie said furiously.

"I always told you she was beneath you," Lindsey said.

Katie glared at her. "So are you right now."

"Katie!" Lindsey exclaimed.

Katie turned on her heel and stalked away.

She slammed the door of her room and threw herself on the bed. Her trunk slid to the edge of her bed, but she didn't even notice. Katie had never thought of Caroline as a Weasley. What did it all matter? She loved the Weasleys---Caroline, Emma, Adam. Aunt Maddie.

Now she was surrounded by people who hated them simply because of their name and she didn't know what to think of that.

Jemima and Piper were older than Ashley and they seemed so interested in everything Katie had to say. That was, Katie thought bitterly, until stupid Lindsey opened her mouth.

"Stupid, stupid Lindsey," Katie grumbled. Now she was going to have to work on impressing those girls all over again.

Jemima seemed intrigued when Katie told her all about her father's recording studio. Perhaps, that would be her way back in with the older girls.

She laid there for a few moments before pushing her curtains back and heading into the common room again.

Jemima and Piper were sitting by the fireplace with some other girls.

Katie sat back down near the girls, hoping they would notice her.

"We're going to St. Moritz this Christmas," one of the girls boasted. "They have the best skiing."

"I went there last year," Jemima tossed her hair. "It was all right."

Katie bit her lip as she waited for the right moment to join the conversation. She listened impatiently as the girls discussed vacation spots. Finally, the talk turned to fashion. One of the girls commented on Piper's scarf. "I bought this at Lavender Brown's boutique. Isn't it fabulous?"

"Lavender Brown is my grandmother's cousin," Katie said. "I shop there all the time. She gives me makeup advice too."

Jemima looked at her. "Oh, yes. The Mudblood Minister."

Katie stood up. "Don't call my grandmother a Mudblood. You can say what you want about me, but leave her alone." her eyes flashed angrily at the older girl.

The other girls looked at Jemima waiting for her response. To their surprise, Jemima grinned. "So you do realise the importance of family then, Malfoy."

"Of course I do," Katie retorted.

"I think I misjudged you," Jemima said. "Sit back down..."

Katie fought to keep her smile from growing too wide and sat back down on Jemima's right.

"I was only joking about your grandmother," Jemima told her. "I was testing you."

Katie looked at her suspiciously. "You were?"

Jemima nodded. "We don't let just anyone in to our circle, Katherine. If we did, we'd be Gryffindors."

Katie nodded. "I understand."

"I thought you would," Jemima said. "I see great potential in you. You remind me so much of myself."

Katie straightened up proudly.

"You can sit with us tomorrow at breakfast," Jemima told her. "Can't she, Piper?"

"Sure," Piper replied. "I want to hear about Lavender Brown's makeup tips."

Katie grinned. "I'll tell you everything."

The group of girls gathered closer and Katie was thrilled to see she was the centre of attention. Even Jemima was interested in what she had to say.

She couldn't believe she'd actually been worried about today. If this was the way Hogwarts was going to be, she was going to like this place.

284. Chapter 284

Authors’ note: Thanks you guys for the continued support and for reading! We appreciate it! Tonight’s chapter deals with more happy Andrew and Saffron and some drama from the Will/Frankie/Mallory/Hannah front.

Saffron's pregnancy proceeded smoothly over the next few weeks. She was no longer actively playing with her team, but she attended every match and helped with coaching whenever she could. She missed flying, but she knew that she'd be back at it soon enough.

Life at home with Andrew was better than anything else. He was attentive and hadn't once complained about going out to sate her strange cravings.

"Saffy?" Andrew called, setting the pizza boxes down on the table. Puddles barked excitedly at his feet. "Where is she, Pud?"

Puddles barked again.

"I'm coming," Saffron said, practically waddling into the kitchen.

"Hey baby," Andrew said. "I got the pizza you wanted."

Saffron smiled. "Thank you."

Andrew stole a quick kiss from her. "How are you feeling?"

"I'm okay," Saffron said. "I was just curled up on the sofa, reading. Well, not so much curled up as...beached."

"Stop it," Andrew said. "You've never been more gorgeous."

"Liar," Saffron said opening up the pizza box. "Mmm....just what I wanted."

Andrew shook his head. "That smells worse than it looks."

"Pineapple and anchovy," Saffron said picking up a slice.

Andrew grimaced as he opened his own box. "I'll stick with pepperoni."

"I have never even liked anchovies, but now, I can't get enough of them," Saffron said before taking a bite.

"You better brush your teeth before you expect me to kiss you again," Andrew teased.

Saffron rolled her eyes. "You've never turned down a kiss from me."

"I am sort of powerless against you," Andrew said with a grin.

"All men are," Saffron said dramatically. "I think it's the combination of my belly and the swollen feet."

"I love your stomach like this," Andrew said, moving to sit next to her. "That's our daughter in there."

Saffron smiled. "Ellie."

"That's right," Andrew said.

Andrew put his hand on her stomach. "How's she doing today?"

"Pretty active," Saffron said. "She's been kicking all day."

"She might be telling her mum to lay off the anchovies," Andrew joked.

"Very funny," Saffron nudged him.

Andrew laughed. "That's what I'm here for."

Saffron laid her head on his shoulder. "Only a few months left before we're parents."

"I can't wait," Andrew said softly.

"And then next summer, the wedding," Saffron said.

"We're not having an anchovy cake are we?" Andrew asked cheekily.

Saffron poked his side. "No, smartarse. Double fudge chocolate."

Andrew laughed. "Better."

"As if I'd have anything else," Saffron replied.

"Lucky for you that your fiancé stopped off at the shops and picked up some double fudge chocolate ice cream."

Saffron squealed.

Andrew looked down at Puddles. "She's easy to please, isn't she?"

Puddles barked at him.

"I love you even more," Saffron said before taking another bite of her pizza.

Andrew kissed her cheek. "Just let me know when you're ready for it."

"I wonder how it would taste on top of pizza." Saffron asked thoughtfully.

"Saffy," Andrew winced. "It's ice cream..."

"I'm only kidding," Saffron said grinning at him.

"Good," he relaxed.

"Given that you lived with RJ, you'd think you'd be used to people eating unusual things," Saffron said.

"RJ just eats a LOT of things," Andrew said.

"Well, I can't imagine that you'll see me eating this again after Ellie comes," Saffron said. "But for now, I can't get enough of it."

Andrew rubbed her shoulder. "Whatever Ellie wants, she gets."

Saffron smiled. "She's happy to hear that."

"How about some juice?" he asked her.

"I would love some," Saffron said smiling at him.

"Coming right up," Andrew said.

"How was your practise today?" Saffron asked.

"Fine," Andrew said. "We're ready to beat the trousers off Puddlemere."

Saffron frowned. "Andrew..."

"With you gone we have a chance," Andrew grinned wickedly.

"That was your plan all along, wasn't it?" Saffron asked. "Get me preggers and then try for Quidditch domination."

"You found me out," Andrew handed her a glass of juice.

Saffron shook her head. "You should be ashamed of yourself."

"Oh I am," Andrew deadpanned.

"Devious," Saffron said. "And speaking of devious...Jules told me that Katie seems to be blossoming in Slytherin."

"Really?" Andrew asked.

Saffron nodded. "I can't believe she's in there and then again, I guess I shouldn't be surprised. She's always embraced her Malfoy side of the family, you know?"

"I guess," Andrew nodded.

"Hopefully, she'll stay grounded," Saffron said.

"I'm sure you'll keep her in line when she's home for hols," Andrew told her.

Saffron reached for another slice of pizza. "I'm going to try. Merlin, this is soooooo good."

Andrew didn't say anything, only dug back into his own pizza.

"I have a feeling Ellie will be a Gryffindor just like us," Saffron said.

"Of course she will be," Andrew said.

"And she will be so smart," Saffron said.

"Just like her mum," Andrew said, getting up to get the ice cream.

"And she'll be caring and sweet just like her father," Saffron said.

Andrew turned and smiled at her.

"You know, I loved her the moment I found out that she existed," Saffron said softly. "It meant so much to me that you were willing to raise her even when you thought she wasn't yours, Andrew. But, miracle of all miracles, she is yours and I---I couldn't be happier."

"What's yours is mine, right?" Andrew asked, setting a bowl in front of her. "And you deserve to be happy, Saf."

Saffron smiled. "I am happy. So happy, Andrew."

He gave her a kiss. "I love you."

"Even with anchovy breath?" Saffron teased.

"You better believe it," he grinned at her.

"I love you too," Saffron said. "So much."

"Eat up," Andrew indicated the bowl. "And I've got more where that came from."

"Will you massage my feet afterwards?" Saffron asked. "They are so swollen..."

"Sure," Andrew nodded.

"I will make it up to you after your match ," Saffron promised. "I'll give you a massage."

"It's a deal," Andrew replied.

"Since you'll be depressed after Puddlemere beats you," Saffron said with a grin.

"Very funny," Andrew cracked.

After they finished their meal, they settled in the sitting room. Saffron put her feet on Andrew's lap.

Andrew pulled off her socks and began rubbing her feet.

"Mmmm," Saffron murmured.

"Like that?" he asked

"No," Saffron said closing her eyes. "I love it."

"Good," he said softly.

"This is heaven," Saffron said.

"It can get better," Andrew said, kneading her feet a little harder.

"I don't see how," Saffron said.

He began rubbing up around her ankles, which were also swollen and Saffron let out a loud moan.

Andrew laughed. "Told you.'

"You... are... amazing," Saffron said. Her ankles had been bothering her all day but now felt so much better.

"I'm not bad," Andrew said dryly.

"Andrew you are perfect," Saffron opened her eyes and looked at him. "I don't know what I did to deserve someone like you but I'm glad I have you."

Andrew looked back at her. "I'm not perfect, Saf. Far from it."

"But you're perfect to me," she insisted.

Andrew smiled. "You're perfect for me."

"I happen to agree with that," Saffron said, laughing as he tickled her feet.

"How's the nursery coming along?" Andrew asked.

"Cute," Saffron replied.

"Can I see what you did?" Andrew asked.

"Sure," Saffron said. "You're going to have to help me up though."

"I think that can be arranged," Andrew said standing up. He offered her his hand. "Up with you."

Saffron groaned as he pulled her to her feet.

Andrew laughed. "Come on, Puddles. "

Puddles barked and followed his owners down the corridor.

Andrew opened the door to the nursery and turned on the lights. "Wow..."

"You like?" she asked, hugging him, which was difficult with her burgeoning stomach.

Andrew nodded. "You did all this?"

"I had some help from my mum," Saffron replied.

"It's brilliant," Andrew said looking around. Hermione and Saffron had decided on a theme with faeries. A beautiful mural of a faerie was on the wall opposite the simple, white crib. "It's one of Ashley's pictures," Saffron explained. "Mum and I did a spell to transfer it to the wall."

"That's fantastic," Andrew said. "I bet Ash was thrilled."

"I can't wait to show her when she comes home for Christmas hols," Saffron said. "She was so happy when I asked her to draw something."

"I think it's fantastic," Andrew said. "And I'm sure Ellie's going to love it."

"I can't believe she's actually going to be here in a few weeks," Saffron said patting her stomach.

"I know," Andrew nodded. "December 5th."

"She might decide to make an early appearance," Saffron said softly.

"You think so?" Andrew asked.

"You never know," Saffron said.

"True," Andrew put his arms around her.

Puddles looked up at Saffron who smiled. "Don't worry, Puddles. You'll still be my baby, too."

"Sure he will," Andrew laughed as Puddles jumped up against her legs.

"I wanted a puppy for so long," Saffron said. "I must have begged me parents for one every year since I was two."

"I heard," Andrew said as Puddles ran around in circles on the floor.

"It took me forever, but persistence paid off," Saffron said.

"You're the most persistent person I know," Andrew chuckled.

"Well," Saffron grinned. "When I want something, I go after it."

"You sure do," Andrew agreed, putting his hands on her stomach.

Saffron smiled as the baby kicked in response.

"Hey!" Andrew said, laughing. "She knows when she's the centre of attention."

Saffron smiled. "She does."

"Just like her mum," Andrew joked.

Saffron swatted at him. "Come on. I'm sleepy."

"Well that means a kip is in order," Andrew said.

Saffron nodded. "Yes."

Andrew led her out of the nursery and to their own bedroom.

"I'm really glad you like the nursery," Saffron said.

"I love it," Andrew told her. "It's perfect."

Saffron sat down on the edge of the bed. "Mum and I had a great time setting everything up."

"Oh yeah?" Andrew asked, going into the dresser.

Saffron nodded. "She and I always make a good team."

Andrew nodded as he changed into his boxers and a t-shirt.

"Help me up?" Saffron asked. "I need to change as well."

"Of course," Andrew said, helping her.

Saffron gave him a kiss. "Thank you."

"Anything for you," Andrew said softly.

Saffron grabbed her pyjamas from the dresser and then headed into the bathroom to brush her teeth.

Andrew turned down the duvet and got into bed while he waited for her.

Saffron came out a few minutes later and climbed into bed beside him.

"All settled?" Andrew asked.

Saffron nodded. "Now, I have to get comfortable."

Andrew watched in amusement as Saffron tried to settle herself in.

"Andrew Kirke, it's not funny," Saffron said to him.

"You look so cute," he said.

"Oh yes," Saffron said rolling her eyes.

"You do," he insisted as Puddles turned around at the edge of the bed.

"I miss sleeping on my stomach," Saffron said.

"Only a little while longer," Andrew assured her. "And then we won't be sleeping much at all."

Saffron laughed. "She's going to be a quiet baby."

"We hope," Andrew added.

"She'll be perfect," Saffron said looking at him.

He grinned at her. "Of course she will be."

"And she'll sleep through the night," Saffron said finally managing to get comfortable.

"Mum said I was a pretty easygoing baby," Andrew said thoughtfully.

"So was I," Saffron said. "Therefore, our little one will be the same."

"You were easygoing?" Andrew teased.

Saffron swatted him. "Yes."

"Then you must have changed later," Andrew joked.

Saffron inched closer to him. "Very funny, Mr. Kirke."

Andrew slid an arm around her. "What do you want to do tomorrow?"

"I don't know," Saffron said. "Do you have any ideas?"

Andrew shook his head.

"Just doing this would be fine," Saffron said happily.

"Staying in bed?" Andrew asked.

Saffron nodded.

"We could arrange that," Andrew said thoughtfully.

"But, I am going to want breakfast," Saffron grinned.

"And that's up to me," he said.

"I promise I'll make it up to you," Saffron said.

Andrew gave her a kiss. "I don't mind doing it."

"I appreciate everything you do for me," Saffron said softly.

Andrew grinned at her. "That's because I love you."

"I love you too," Saffron said.

"Go to sleep," Andrew gave her a kiss.

"You don't have to tell me twice," Saffron said closing her eyes.

Andrew watched his fiancée as she fell asleep. He knew the times had been rough for her and was glad that Saffron now was happy again.

He was going to do everything in his power to make sure she stayed that way.

*** *** ***

Frankie tried as hard as she could to adapt to the fact that Mallory, being Hannah's aunt, was inserting herself into their lives. Despite the fact that Mallory had assured them she wasn't looking to take anything away, Frankie still felt uneasy around the other woman.

She was walking Hannah to school and she had barely heard a word her daughter said.

"Mummy?" Hannah asked. "Are you okay?"

"What?" Frankie asked looking down at her daughter. "Yes, I'm fine..."

"For Halloween I want to be a witch," Hannah told her.

Frankie smiled. "You do, do you? Well, I just bet Molly would be happy to make you a costume."

"Em wants to be a witch too," Hannah said.

"You two are like two peas in a pod," Frankie said smiling at her.

Hannah grinned. "I hope we can have matching costumes."

"I bet that can be arranged," Frankie said. "And I think we have to see if Nathan and Isabelle know what they want to be."

"I think they should be monkeys," Hannah said.

"I think they would make cute little monkeys," Frankie said thoughtfully.

"Like in the Wizard of Oz," Hannah said.

"Oh, the flying monkeys," Frankie grinned.

Hannah nodded. "They're funny."

"And you like it when your daddy picks you up and calls you a flying monkey," Frankie said reaching for Hannah's hand.

"I do like flying," Hannah nodded. "I wish I could do it all the time."

Frankie squeezed her hand. "You're great at it."

"I wonder if Mallory likes to fly," Hannah said thoughtfully.

"She's a Muggle," Frankie replied.

"Oh yeah," Hannah said sheepishly. "But she knows about magic, since my real mummy could do it."

"Right," Frankie said. "Mallory knows everything doesn't she?"

"She knows a lot of things," Hannah nodded.

Frankie sighed. "That's nice."

"What's the matter, Mummy?" Hannah asked.

"Nothing," Frankie said hastily. "Nothing at all."

Hannah glanced up at her a moment.

"Are you excited about school today?" Frankie asked changing the subject.

"I like school," Hannah nodded.

"I'm glad,” Frankie smiled at her.

"My teacher says I'm a good reader," Hannah said.

"I know she does," Frankie said. "She says you're one of the best in the class and you're always offering to help out."

Hannah blushed at the compliment.

"Your Daddy and I are so proud of you and all that you've done," Frankie said.

"I like making you proud of me," Hannah said. "Mallory says she's proud of me too."

Frankie smiled, but it didn't reach her eyes. Hannah had taken to Mallory and they'd grown close. Frankie had even relented to having Mallory over a few times.

"Daddy said maybe Mallory can come over for dinner again this weekend," Hannah chattered.

"He did?" Frankie asked.

Hannah nodded. "Maybe for Saturday."

"We'll see," Frankie said. "Um, the thing is---Allie asked me if you wanted to come over and have a sleepover with Emma that night."

"She did?" Hannah asked.

Frankie didn't know why she was doing this. But, she was sure Allison would be okay with it as soon as she asked her.

"I thought Em told me Caroline was having Mia over," Hannah shrugged.

"Well, I think it was more along the lines of you having Emma over at our house," Frankie covered.

Hannah looked at her mother strangely.

"You'd like that, right?" Frankie asked.

Hannah nodded. "I always like having Em over."

Frankie smiled and walked upstairs with her daughter.

"Thanks for walking with me to school," Hannah gave her a hug when they reached her classroom.

"I love walking my girl to school," Frankie said hugging her tightly.

"I love you," Hannah said.

"I love you too," Frankie said, tugging affectionately on one of her daughter's plaits.

Hannah gave her one more hug before turning and entering the classroom.

Frankie stood there for a few moments.

She was annoyed with her husband for promising Hannah that Mallory could come over that weekend without discussing it with her first.

And why was Mallory staying here for so bloody long? Didn't that woman have a life of her own back in the states?

She sighed and headed back out of the school.

When she was out of sight, she Apparated to her office. There were a few press releases she had to draft and she had to set up some interviews for some of the players.

Saffron's temporary replacement was doing a great job for the team, although Frankie knew Saffron was eager to return once she had given birth.

Frankie knew that Saffron would be a great mother. She had babysat a few times for her with Hannah and the twins.

Frankie's work didn't take her long and she sat back once it was done, thinking about her family.

"Mallory," Frankie said aloud. "What is your deal?"

Frankie remembered that strange daydream from a few months back when Abbie said she wanted Mallory to take care of Hannah.

That had just been a daydream. Mallory wasn't Hannah's mother. Frankie was.

"And nothing's going to change that," Frankie said firmly. "Not a ghost or an aunt or anything."

Frankie pressed a button to call for her assistant.

Magda appeared a few moments later. "Did you need something?"

"I need to hire a private detective," Frankie told her. "I need you to find me the best there is. Money is no object."

"What?" Magda looked surprised.

"I need a private detective," Frankie repeated.

"Okay," Magda replied slowly.

"And I'm going to be gone for the rest of the morning," Frankie said. "There's something I need to do."

"Is there anything here I need to get done, then?" Magda asked.

"Set up an interview for RJ Weasley and Carlton Driscoll with the Prophet," Frankie said. "And tell Mr. Tate I will have those press releases for him this afternoon."

"Will do," Magda nodded.

Frankie nodded. "I'll be back in a couple of hours, Magda."

"I'll have a detective name for you then," Magda said.

"Thanks, Magda," Frankie said gratefully.

Magda smiled before she left Frankie's office.

Frankie grabbed her cloak and bag. She didn't like the idea of seeing David Wright again, but she needed answers. Answers only he could give.

She wondered how much he knew of his late wife's sister and hoped he could at least tell her something.

It took forever to reach the prison and make it through the security check points. But, finally, she found herself sitting in the visitor’s room.

She had hoped never to see this man again, and the last time she HAD seen him had been the day she'd masqueraded as Hannah.

David Wright walked into the room and sat down across from her. Thankfully, there was a glass wall between them. Frankie picked up the telephone on her end. David Wright just stared back at her.

Frankie pressed her lips together until the other man picked up the orange telephone as well.

"Mrs. Barron," he drawled. "This is a nice surprise."

Frankie looked at him. "I have some questions for you."

"I'm not taking that brat back," David replied. "You wanted her..."

"I would NEVER give up Hannah," Frankie said sharply. "That is not why I'm here."

"What brings you by then?" David asked leaning back in his chair.

"What do you know about your wife's sister Mallory?" Frankie asked bluntly.

"Who?" David asked.

Frankie's stomach sank. "You don't know anything about Abbie's sister?"

"Abbie's sister," David said thoughtfully. "I haven't thought about her in years."

"So you did know her?" Frankie asked.

David shrugged. "Yeah, what of it?"

"A few months ago she sought us out," Frankie said. "And I want to know what she's like."

"What's in it for me?" David asked.

"What on earth could you possibly want?" Frankie asked.

"Looking at your pretty face is enough," David said leering at her.

Frankie was disgusted. "Look--"

"Ease up," David said chuckling. "Look, Mrs. Barron, I don't remember that much about Abbie's sister. She was a nuisance and a pest and I took Abbie away from all that."

"So Mallory said," Frankie replied.

"You need to watch out for her," David said. "She probably thinks she can get Abbie back by taking the brat."

"She's not taking Hannah anywhere," Frankie said vehemently.

"Keep telling yourself that," David said grinning at her. "You know, she'd try and write to Abbie, but I threw away her letters."

"Why?" Frankie asked. "She was her sister."

"She tried to put thoughts into Abbie's head," David said. "To warn her about me..."

"For good reason," Frankie couldn't help muttering.

"Wright," the guard said. "Time's up."

"Wait," Frankie said. "Please. Just tell me she's harmless. Be honest."

David grinned. "I think you already know. Good day, Mrs. Barron."

He smirked at her and hung up his phone.

Frankie sighed. She hadn't learned any more by visiting that wretched man.

She grabbed her bag and left the jail, muttering to herself the whole way.

She made it back to her office, still preoccupied with thoughts of Mallory. Magda had left a list of private detectives on her desk.

She called the first one, hoping to get some information straight away.

"Mallory Garrett," Frankie told him. "She lives in Ocala, Florida now, but she was born in London."

"It'll cost you three hundred quid," the man told her. "And that's just for surface details."

"That's fine," Frankie said.

The detective, a bloke named Keith Mars, took her information. "I'll have something for you in a week.”

Frankie hung up the phone and then set about doing the work she'd missed that afternoon. She finished work earlier than expected and set off to pick Hannah up from school.

She debated on telling Will what she had done, but decided to wait until she had information on Mallory before bringing that up.

Frankie arrived at the school and walked into Hannah's classroom. "Hello, Mrs. Brewster," Frankie said. "Where's Hannah?"

"Her aunt arrived a few minutes ago," Mrs. Brewster replied. "They're on the playground."

Frankie's smile fell off her face. "Mallory's here?"

"Your husband called ahead and said she'd be stopping by," Mrs. Brewster said.

"I see," Frankie said tightly.

Mrs. Brewster told Frankie about how Hannah had fared that day. "She had top marks on her spelling test."

"She studied really hard last night," Frankie told her.

Mrs. Brewster smiled. "She's such a good student, Mrs. Barron. You and your husband should be so proud."

"We are," Frankie nodded.

Mrs. Brewster smiled. "She has her assignments for tonight."

"Thank you," Frankie said. "I’ll go get her now."

On the playground, Hannah was swinging while Mallory pushed her. "You would love Florida, Hannah. It's warm all year round," Mallory was telling her.

"And you have Disney World," Hannah said.

"You will love the Tea Cup ride," Mallory said.

"I want to meet ALL the princesses," Hannah said "Especially Belle!"

Mallory laughed. "That's because you are Belle. And we'll make sure to get a photo of Ariel too, for Emma."

"Yes!" Hannah said happily, swinging high into the air.

Hannah spotted her mother and she waved. "Hi, Mummy!"

Frankie smiled tightly. "Hi baby."

"Hi, Frankie," Mallory said warmly.

"Hello," Frankie said coolly. "Come on Hannah."

Hannah jumped out of the swing. "Come on, Aunt Mallory."

"We're really sort of busy tonight," Frankie said to the other woman.

"I just wanted to spend some time with Hannah," Mallory said. "I'm leaving in the next few days."

"What a shame," Frankie replied. "We'll give you a call tonight, I'm sure."

"Of course," Mallory said kneeling down. Hannah gave her a hug. "I will talk to you tonight, Hannah."

"Okay," Hannah said eagerly.

Mallory grinned and looked at Frankie. "Thanks for letting me have some time with her this afternoon. It really meant a lot."

"Sure," Frankie muttered.

Hannah grabbed her school bag and took Frankie's hand.

"Come on," Frankie said. "We've got to hurry. Your brother and sister are waiting for you."

"I can't wait to see them and tell them my secret," Hannah said.

"What secret?" Frankie asked.

"Aunt Mallory is going to take me to Disney World this summer," Hannah said happily.

Frankie stopped in her tracks. "I beg your pardon?"

"We're going to go to Disney World and I'm going to meet the princesses," Hannah said. "And ride the Tea Cups."

"I don't think that's in the cards, Hannah," Frankie said.

Hannah looked up at her mother. "Why?"

"For one thing, your brother and sister are too young to go to Disney World," Frankie said. "And for another, it's quite expensive."

"But, I'm going to stay with Mallory," Hannah explained. "She's going to show me Florida, Mummy. Just her and me."

"Hannah," Frankie shook her head. "We don't know Mallory well enough to allow something like that."

Hannah didn't understand. They knew Mallory. "She's my aunt, Mummy. Just like Aunt Allie and Aunt Chiaki."

"And we just met her," Frankie said firmly.

"But--" Hannah started to protest.

"We'll discuss this with your father when we get home," Frankie said.

Hannah folded her arms. That always meant 'no'.

"Come on," Frankie said tersely.

Hannah reluctantly followed her mother back to the house.

"William," Frankie called out once they got home. "I need a word."

Will came out of the kitchen carrying Nathan and Isabelle. The twins waved excitedly at their big sister, but Hannah just dropped her bag and ran for her bedroom.

"What's wrong with her?" Will asked.

"Oh, just that Mallory decided she was going to take our daughter to Florida without consulting us first," Frankie said angrily. "That she filled her head with Disney World and---and---Tea Cups and princesses before checking with us before she made the offer. I swear, I have never been so angry before in my life, Will."

"Wait a minute," Will held up a hand. "Florida? When did that come about?"

"You've got me," Frankie said angrily. She took hold of Nathan who was reaching out to her.

"I didn't say anything to her about Florida," Will said. "Only that she could go visit her at school."

"Han-nah," Isabelle said. "Want Han-nah."

"We'll go see her in a minute," Will told his daughter.

Frankie hugged Nathan to her. "I can't believe she had the nerve to do that."

"It surprises me," Will replied. "Given that we've been pretty flexible with her."

"The sooner she goes back to the states the better we'll be," Frankie said. She didn't notice that Hannah had come out of her room and caught her mother's words.

"Why do you hate her?" Hannah asked, her eyes filling with tears. "She loves me because I remind her of my real mummy."

"Hannah," Frankie said softly. "I'm---I don't hate her."

"Yes you do," Hannah insisted.

"The problem is your Aunt Mallory asked you to go somewhere without asking us first," Will said. "She shouldn't have brought up Disney World without asking us if it was okay."

"But she was going to ask," Hannah wiped her eyes.

"Han-nah," Isabelle squirmed in Will's arms.

"Hi Izzie," Hannah said quietly as Will set her down.

Isabelle toddled over to her sister. "No sad, Han-nah."

Hannah sniffed. "I can't help it."

Frankie set Nathan down. "Hannah, sweetheart. I love you very much. I know---I know how important Mallory is to you, but she has to realise that she can't make these decisions without asking your daddy and me first."

Hannah didn't reply, only wiped her eyes again.

"Come here," Will said holding out his arms. Hannah walked over to him and he hugged her tightly.

Frankie bit her lower lip as her daughter buried her face in Will's shoulder.

"How was school today, baby girl?" Will asked.

"It was good," Hannah said in a small voice. "I did good with my spelling."

Will grinned. "You did? That's my girl."

Hannah managed a tiny smile.

"We studied long and hard for that test, didn't we?" Frankie asked.

Hannah nodded again but didn't look at her.

"I think this is cause for celebration," Will said. "Izzie, Nathan, what should we do for your smart sister?"

"Cake?" Isabelle asked.

Nathan nodded in agreement.

"Cake it is," Will looked at Frankie.

Frankie nodded. Hannah still wasn't looking at her. This was all Mallory's fault, Frankie thought bitterly.

She didn't feel as guilty for hiring a private detective now.

"Cake, Han-nah," Isabelle said taking her sister's hand.

"Okay," Hannah said, clearing her throat.

"Coming, Frankie?" Will asked.

"Sure," Frankie said quietly.

Frankie put her hand on Hannah's shoulder. "Sweetheart?"

"What?" Hannah asked.

"I'm really happy that you did well on your test," Frankie said after a moment.

Hannah shrugged in reply.

"I don't hate Mallory," Frankie told her.

"You act like you do," Hannah said quietly.

Frankie knew she could not tell her daughter about how insecure the other woman made her feel. "I'm sorry," Frankie said sincerely. "I was just angry at her for asking you to go somewhere without seeing if it was okay with your dad and me."

Hannah finally looked over at her.

"Can I have a hug?" Frankie asked.

Hannah nodded, a smile slightly breaking over her face.

Frankie hugged her tightly. "I'd do anything for you, baby."

"I love you Mummy," Hannah put her arms around Frankie's neck.

"I love you too," Frankie said patting her daughter's back.

Frankie and Hannah went into the kitchen. "We don't have cake, but we do have cupcakes," Will said.

Hannah grinned. "I suppose that will do, Daddy."

"I figured as much," Will joked. "Since they're chocolate..."

"Nathan, you've got chocolate icing on your face," Hannah giggled.

Nathan grinned at her before mashing the cupcake into his mouth.

Will looked at his wife. "Okay?" he mouthed to her.

Frankie nodded. "For now," she whispered to him.

Will reached for her hand. "Are we going to tempt you with one of these?"

"Just half," Frankie replied.

"Come on," Will said holding a cupcake out to her. "You know you love chocolate."

"And I remember how many calories are in these," Frankie took a knife out of the drawer.

Will laughed. "Frankie..."

"It took me forever to get my figure back," Frankie pointed out.

"Where did it go?" Hannah asked.

Will laughed. "That's what I'd like to know."

"Very funny," Frankie said. She halved the cupcake and popped it into her mouth.

"Can I have the rest?" Hannah asked her.

"Yes," Frankie said handing the other half to her.

"Me too," Isabelle said.

Hannah smiled. "You can have this one, Izzie."

"Yum," Isabelle said happily. "Han-nah!"

Hannah handed it to her sister. "You are too funny, Isabelle Barron."

Nathan looked back and forth between his parents. "Me!"

Will handed his son a cupcake. "Here, buddy."

"Now it's fair," Frankie joked.

Nathan dipped his finger in the icing and then smeared it on his face.

"Nate," Will laughed. "What are you doing, buddy?"

"Making a mess," Frankie laughed.

"Mess!" Nathan sang, flinging some icing at his sisters.

Hannah and Isabelle squealed. "Nate!" Hannah exclaimed.

"No, no..." Will was still laughing. "No throwing food."

Nathan gave a devilish look at his father before popping the cupcake into his mouth.

"Little stinker," Will said affectionately.

Frankie put her arms around Hannah and Isabelle. This was her family. She loved them more than anything in this world.

"Ma?" Isabelle asked held a frosting covered finger out to her.

"Yes, my Isabelle?" Frankie asked.

"Here," Isabelle said.

"You want Mummy to have a bite?" Frankie asked.

Isabelle nodded.

"Maybe just a small bite," Frankie relented.

"It's just frosting, Mummy." Hannah explained.

"True," Frankie said with a grin.

"Hardly any calories," Will joked.

"She's looking out for her mummy," Frankie said nudging her husband.

Hannah grinned as Frankie took the bit of frosting.

"That is good," Frankie said.

"Well I should really start on dinner," Will replied. "What's everyone in the mood for?"

"Cake," Nathan replied.

Everyone laughed. "No more cake," Will told his son.

"Daddy, can you make pasketti?" Hannah asked.

"I think I can do that," Will nodded.

"Yay," Hannah said. She chanced a look at her mother. "Do you want to help me with my homework? Maths..."

"I'll do my best to help you," Frankie replied.

Hannah smiled. "Thanks."

"Go and get your workbook," Frankie told her.

"Okay," Hannah went to retrieve her bag.

"We'll talk to Mallory," Will said in a hushed tone to his wife.

"You bet we will," Frankie said, pulling a jar of sauce out of the cupboard. She waved her wand and the sauce transferred out of the jar and into a pot.

"But in the meantime, we should try and not say anything negative about her in front of Hannah," Will said to her. "She's important to her, Frankie."

Frankie shrugged. "I guess."

He came up behind her and put his arms around her. "Frankie, you saw Hannah's face."

"I won't say anything in front of her," Frankie responded.

Will kissed the top of her head. "I love you."

Frankie smiled. "I love you too, William."

Hannah came back into the kitchen clutching her workbook. "Okay, Mummy."

"Let's see what damage I can do while Daddy fixes the spaghetti," Frankie said.

Hannah giggled. "It's just addition, Mummy."

"Well I think I can handle that," Frankie grinned at her.

Will looked down at his two youngest. "You two promise to play nice while Daddy makes dinner?"

"No," Isabelle said.

Will bent over and tickled his daughter's side. "Izzie!"

"Dada!" she shrieked, giggling. "No!"

"Alright then, you and your brother can be my helpers," Will said handing her a big plastic bowl.

Isabelle looked at it then up at him

Will laughed and handed her a wooden spoon.

"Here," Nathan took it and began to bang on the bowl.

"That's it, buddy," Will grinned.

"I think we'll move into the sitting room," Frankie said.

"Yeah," Hannah said grabbing her workbook. "Good idea."

"Call me if you need me," Frankie told him.

"We're fine," Will said over the noise.

Frankie laughed before taking Hannah into the sitting room and settling at the table.

"I don't like maths as much as I like reading," Hannah told her mother.

"I never cared for it much either," Frankie said.

"What was your favourite subject?" Hannah asked.

"Boys," Frankie answered.

Hannah giggled. "Mummy!"

"I always liked the boys," she said.

"Maybe I should have Daddy help me," Hannah said thoughtfully.

Frankie squeezed Hannah's side. "I can add."

Hannah laughed. "One boy plus two boys..."

"Equals not enough," Frankie joked.

Hannah shook her head. "Mummy..."

"I know, I know." Frankie said. "Let's look at your maths."

Hannah grabbed her pencil and read aloud the first problem.

"Okay," Frankie said. "So if you have six apples, and Emma has seven... how many do you both have all together?" she put the problem into wording hoping it would make it easier for Hannah to understand.

Hannah looked thoughtfully at her mother. "Um...thirteen?"

"Excellent!" Frankie nodded.

Hannah smiled. "That was easy!"

"How about this one?" Frankie said. "Isabelle has twelve cupcakes and Nathan has eight."

"Is he wearing them or eating them?" Hannah joked.

Frankie laughed. "Both."

"They have twenty cupcakes altogether," Hannah replied.

"Very, very good." Frankie praised.

Hannah beamed at her. "Thanks, Mummy.”

Frankie kissed the top of her head. "No matter what, you're my girl."

"And you're my Mummy," Hannah replied.

"Always," Frankie said.

285. Chapter 285 A Close Moment

Authors’ note: Hi, everyone! This chapter includes Hans/Darla/Liam as well as more of Katie’s reign at Hogwarts. We hope you enjoy!

Hans was back in New York City and Darla was adjusting to pretty much being a single mother. Hans called nearly every day to check on her and the baby, which was quite an improvement. But, the conversations didn't last very long.

She was lucky if she could get a few minutes out of him. Liam, on the other hand, had become quite a good friend.

He had stopped by that morning to watch the baby while she took a shower. It was nice to have a few minutes to herself. She brushed her hair and gave herself one last look in the mirror before she went downstairs to check on Liam and Rafe.

He was making a goofy face at Rafe who was smiling back at him in response. "You must have the magic touch," she commented.

Liam laughed. "He's an easy audience."

Darla grinned at her son. "Yes he is. Can I get you some coffee or some tea?"

"Tea would be great," Liam said. "Thanks, Darla."

"Sure," Darla replied.

"So, are you looking forward to Halloween?" Liam asked.

"I suppose," Darla said.

"You wouldn't be interested in going to a costume party would you?" Liam asked.

"A costume party?" Darla asked.

"It's a benefit for St. Mungos," Liam explained.

"Oh," Darla nodded. "Sure. That sounds like fun."

Liam grinned. "I thought so too."

"I'll see if Drew can watch this little guy for a night," Darla said, looking at her son.

"I imagine Chloe would love having him around," Liam said.

"She just adores him," Darla said. "It's so sweet."

She sat down with a tray of tea and biscuits. "So," Darla said. "You know, you could invite someone you're interested in to go to that party with you. I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to find someone, Liam."

"Yeah but I imagine we'd have fun," Liam said.

Darla smiled. "It will be nice to get out. I haven't been able to in ages."

"It's not easy when you're a new mum," Liam replied.

"Well, even before I had Rafe," Darla said. "My healer told me to take it easy and I didn't want to cross him..."

"He sounds like a pretty smart bloke," Liam cracked.

"And he's just a little bit arrogant too," Darla grinned.

"Of course--hey!" Liam said.

Darla laughed. "You are so easy, Thornhart."

"Very funny, Weasley." he said as Rafe let out a cry.

"See, he agrees with me," Darla said picking her son up gingerly. "Hey, buddy. It's okay..."

"I bet he's hungry," Liam said.

"I think you're right," Darla said carrying him over to the icebox. She had expressed some milk for him earlier.

"Already teaching him some independence?" Liam asked.

Darla laughed. "What makes you say that?"

"Feeding him off a bottle," Liam said.

"Ah yes," Darla said.

"It's a good thing," Liam said.

"Well, I'm preparing him for the times when he's with his Dad and not me," Darla said quietly.

Liam looked at her for a moment. "So you two are... you aren't..."

"We're separated," Darla said. "And I think it's going to be permanent."

"I'm sorry," he said sincerely.

Darla sat back down with Rafe while he fed from the bottle. "It's been coming for quite some time."

"But he's your husband and Rafe's father," Liam said. "I'm surprised that doesn't mean more to him."

Darla looked thoughtfully at him. "It does and he shows it in his own way."

"Oh," Liam sat back.

"You don't think so?" Darla asked.

"I don't know him well enough," he said.

"But you have an opinion," Darla pressed.

"If it were me, I'd be here," Liam shrugged. "But I'm not Hans and he does what he's going to do."

"You want to know something?" Darla asked him. "I couldn't believe he was ever interested in me. I mean, he was gorgeous and exciting and almost the complete polar opposite of me."

"What are you talking about?" Liam asked. "You're very attractive!"

Darla blushed. "I'm not a model, Liam. And you should have seen some of the girls he would work with."

"So?" Liam asked.

"It's just how I felt in the beginning of our relationship," Darla tried to explain. "And he would always tell me how much he loved me and I believed it. But, we would fight about all these different things. My dad thought being a model wasn't a real job and so he was kind of distant with Hans and he never really understood how important my family was to me."

"So perhaps he felt like he never fit in and that's why he wants to be over there now," Liam said pensively.

"Maybe," Darla said. "But, I think it's more along the lines of this is what he's always wanted. He worked really hard to get to where he is. I think he never really fit into my world and I never really fit into his."

Liam nodded. "You make a good point."

Darla gave him a half-hearted smile. "I've had loads of time to think about it."

Liam reached over and patted her shoulder. "You're very strong, Darla. Whatever happens, I think you'll pull through it."

Darla smiled. "Thanks to friends like you."

"Of course," Liam said with a grin.

"And this little guy," Darla said as her son finished his bottle.

"He is a cute one," Liam said.

"He is, isn't he?" Darla said grinning. "Of course, I'm completely biased."

"You better be," Liam laughed.

Darla looked at him. "Can you hand me that towel?"

"Sure," Liam said, grabbing it.

Darla draped the towel over her shoulder and patted her son's back. He let out a small burp and Darla smiled. "That's a good Weasley."

Liam smiled. "All boys need a good burp."

Darla laughed. "Oh, the blokes in my family have raised it to an art form."

"So have mine," Liam said wryly.

"Speaking of your family," Darla said. "When was the last time you visited them, Liam?"

"I'm not sure," he said thoughtfully. "Awhile back..."

"You finally have a day off and you could have gone to see them," Darla pointed out.

Liam shrugged.

"You could go today," Darla said smiling at him. "Ireland...just for the day. I'd go if I could."

"Maybe sometime I'll take you with me then," he commented.

"No time like the present," Darla said with a grin.

"You want to go now?" he asked. "With Rafe?"

"Why not?" Darla asked. "I actually have to meet with a bride in Belfast at four."

Liam gave her a look. "Darla--"

"I'm being too pushy, aren't I?" Darla asked, shaking her head. "I'm sorry. It's not my place..."

"It's just more complicated than you know," Liam replied.

"Oh," Darla said. "I'm sorry for intruding Liam."

"It's okay," he said.

"I'm going to put him down," Darla said. "I'll be right back."

"Sure," Liam nodded.

Darla gave him one last look before heading back to the nursery with Rafe. She wondered why she could not have just left well enough alone. It wasn't any of her business if Liam spent time with his family.

She quickly put her son down in his crib, making sure he was comfortable before joining Liam in the kitchen

"Alright?" Liam asked.

Darla nodded. "I am really sorry--" she began.

He held up his hand. "It's okay. Just---not every family is as close as yours."

"That's a shame," she said softly.

"My father had a problem with alcohol," Liam explained. "He spends most of his time in a stupor. Me mum just makes excuses for him. My brother hasn't been back in years."

Darla looked stricken. "I am so sorry..."

"You weren't to know," Liam said quietly. "My graduation from university...he showed up in the middle of the ceremony shouting my name and clapping before he passed out."

"That's awful," Darla said.

Liam looked over at her. "I've never told anyone that."

Darla felt touched that he had confided in her.

"It's one of the reasons I took a job in London," Liam said. "I just wanted to start over somewhere where I wasn't known as that drunk Thomas Thornhart's son."

"You're doing a great job here," Darla assured him.

Liam smiled. "Thanks."

"And if you ever do want to go back, let me know." Darla said. "But I won't push."

"I would like to check in on my mum," Liam said. "Make sure she's getting along."

"I'm sure she would like that," Darla said.

"Did you really have a bride to meet with today in Belfast?" Liam asked her.

"No," she confessed.

"You're a sneaky one, Weasley," Liam said punching her playfully in the arm. "Though, I shouldn't be surprised after that time you cleaned my clock in poker.”

Darla laughed.

"I'm going to have to be on my toes to watch out for you," Liam joked.

"I can be sneaky," she replied.

"Can you now?" Liam asked raising an eyebrow.

"Very," she nodded.

"Devious Darla," Liam teased.

"Oh yes," Darla tossed her hair.

Liam reached for the last biscuit on the plate but just before his fingers touched it, the biscuit disappeared. He looked up to see Darla wiping the crumbs from her mouth. "Darla!"

"Sorry," she said. "Told you--"

Liam laughed and shook his head.

"I've got more," she said.

"I'll get them," Liam offered. "Just tell me where they're at."

"Just in the cupboard." she said.

Liam stood up. "You're not going to hex me while my back is turned are you?"

"Would I do that?" she asked innocently.

Liam leaned in and whispered in her ear. "Absolutely."

Darla shivered at his nearness.

Liam met her gaze and for the longest time, he just stared at her. Darla's breath caught in her throat.

"Hello?" Drew called out. "Darla---"

Darla broke her gaze away. "In the kitchen."

Drew came into the kitchen carrying a stack of folders. "Oh, hello, Liam. I didn't realise you were here."

"Just dropped by for a bit." he replied.

"We took a shower," Darla said, her cheeks red. "I mean, while I took a shower. Me. Alone."

Drew gave her sister a strange look.

Liam's cheeks were red as well. "I should probably go. I'm going flying with a few of my mates. Darla, I'll owl you later about the costume party."

"Okay," she said, hardly able to look at him. "I'll... I'll talk to you soon."

"Right," Liam said grabbing his cloak from the chair. "Good to see you, Drew."

"You too," Drew said as he hastily departed.

"Would you like some tea?" Darla offered eager to cut off the interrogation from her sister.

"Okay..." Drew said.

Darla busied herself with the kettle.

"You're going to a costume party?" Drew asked, taking off her cloak.

"Liam asked me to go," Darla said, not looking at her.

Drew smiled and studied her sister. "That's nice..."

"Just friends, you know?" Darla said quickly.

"Mmmhmm," Drew nodded.

"Where's Chloe?" Darla changed the subject.

"With Mum and Dad," Drew replied.

"You should have brought her by," Darla said.

"I will," Drew promised. "Where's my handsome little nephew?"

"Sleeping," Darla answered.

Drew smiled. "Can I go and have a peek? He's so cute when he's asleep!"

"Of course," Darla replied.

Drew hurried out of the kitchen leaving Darla alone with her thoughts.

What had just happened here with Liam? What could have happened if Drew hadn't arrived when she had?

Darla didn't want to think about that. Despite her certainty that her marriage was headed for disaster, she was STILL married at the moment.

And her biggest concern was her son.

Where was Rafe going to fit into all this? How could Hans care for a child over there in New York?

Darla could not imagine letting him take Rafe all the way over there for one night let alone a weekend.

She sighed. "What am I going to do?"

"About what?" Drew asked. Darla hadn't even noticed her sister's reappearance.

"Rafe," Darla said. "And Hans having him in New York."

"Oh," Drew said frowning. "He wants to take him for a weekend?"

Darla nodded.

"How would he have the time?" Drew wondered aloud. "I mean---he's barely able to call."

"I know," Darla frowned. "I'm not having some model or some nanny take care of my son."

"If he wants to see Rafe, he should see him here," Drew said. "I mean, when Rafe's older, you could send him with Hans, but he's just a baby."

Darla nodded again. "You're right."

"I know this isn't easy," Drew said.

"Not at all," Darla said quietly.

"I'm here," Drew said squeezing her hand.

"Thanks," Darla said gratefully.

"And you have people like Liam in your corner," Drew said.

"He's been a good friend," Darla said.

"He has," Drew agreed. "Like the other day when he brought you a cup of hot chocolate at the office..."

Darla turned slightly red.

Drew grinned. "Darla..."

"He's being a good friend," Darla replied.

Drew smiled. "I'm glad."

"How's Brian?" Darla changed the subject.

"He's great," Drew replied. "He's up for a promotion at work."

"That's fantastic," Darla said. "Tell him congrats."

"Just keep your fingers crossed that he gets it," Drew said.

"I'm sure he will," Darla said faithfully.

"By the way," Drew said. "Have you been by the pub recently?"

"No," Darla shook her head. "Do I want to hear this?"

"Well the good news is that Jon and Josh are still alive," Drew said.

"But just barely," Darla said. "Right?"

"Brian and I stopped by there for dinner last night," Drew confided. "Josh was trying to convince Jon that they should get rid of the video games and dart board..."

"What?" Darla asked in disbelief. "People love those!"

"Josh wants to turn the back room into a reading room," Drew said. "They were still shouting when Brian and I left."

"Honestly," Darla said. "What were those two thinking?"

"I don't think they were thinking," Drew said. "They are as different as night and day. It's a wonder they survived living together all those years ago."

"I know," Darla said.

"Not like us," Drew said with a grin. "We've done quite well for ourselves as business partners, if I do say so myself."

"Absolutely," Darla said. "Because we're perfect."

"We are," Drew giggled. "And we were mum and dad's favourites."

"Until Maddie was born," Darla said wryly.

"Ickle Maddie and her little look," Drew said shaking her head.

"She had that perfected by the time she was two," Darla said.

"No one could resist," Drew remembered. "Hell, no one can now."

"Especially Ethan," Darla said, laughing.

"And I bet that little Kiera is going to have that same look down," Drew said.

"Are you kidding?" Darla asked. "Maddie's probably already teaching it to her."

"She's learning at the feet of the master," Drew said reaching for a biscuit.

"Very much so," Darla sipped at her tea.

"I brought over some files for you to look over," Drew said. "You can make your calls from home."

"I feel terrible about keeping you in the office by yourself," Darla said.

"I don't mind," Drew reassured her. "And you come in twice a week."

"Yes I know--" Darla began.

"Its fine," Drew cut her off. "You need to spend time with Rafe, Dar."

"Thanks," Darla said. "For understanding."

"Of course," Drew said giving her a hug.

"I better check on Rafe again," Darla said. "He hasn't been sleeping as long these days."

"I'm going to head on out then," Drew said. "Ring me if you need anything."

"Thanks, I will." Darla hugged her sister again. "Thanks for dropping by."

Drew smiled. "And let me know what you're going to dress up as for that party."

"You'll be helping me put the costume together," Darla said.

Drew nudged her. "Absolutely. You'll look gorgeous."

Darla turned red. "That doesn't matter."

"Yes, it does," Drew said. "This will be the first chance you've had to really get out."

"It'll be nice," Darla said.

"I'll start thinking of ideas," Drew promised.

"Okay, me too." Darla nodded.

"Give my nephew a big kiss," Drew told her.

Darla smiled. "I will. You do the same for Brian and Chloe." she bade her twin goodbye and headed in to check on her son.

Rafe was awake and looking up at the mobile above his crib. Darla smiled. "Hiya, little guy," Darla whispered.

Rafe looked up at her and let out a soft coo.

Darla smiled and picked him up. "Did you have a nice kip?"

Her son rested his head on her shoulder and closed his eyes.

Darla patted his back. "I love you so much, Rafe."

She continued to pat his back and sat down in the rocking chair in the corner. "Your dad is just going to have to come here to visit you."

"I know he loves you," Darla continued. "But, I just don't think I can trust him to keep you safe all the way over there."

"So he's just going to have to come back here," she sighed, closing her eyes as well.

*** *** ***

*** *** ***

After a month of time at Hogwarts, Katie wasn't sure she ever wanted to leave. She fit in quite well with Jemima's group and was even enjoying her classes, much to her own astonishment.

And to her delight, a letter was waiting on her bed when she finished classes that day. She recognised Caroline's writing and she felt a pang of guilt that she hadn't written back to her best friend. She tore into the letter.

"Dear Katie," the letter read. "I miss you so much. School is fun and I'm doing pretty well in my classes. I'm reading 'Charlotte's Web' to Emma now. She says she wants to be a spider now. You can just imagine how well that's going with my grandpa." Katie laughed. She could just imagine how her Uncle Ron was reacting to that given how deathly afraid he was of spiders.

"What’s so funny?" Lindsey asked her.

Katie glared at her and turned her back. She continued to read the letter. "Halloween is coming up really soon and I still don't know what I want to dress up as. If you have any ideas, you have to let me know! Emma and Hannah were going to dress up as witches, but now Em has her heart set as going as a spider. "

"She is too funny," Katie said to herself. She missed Caroline and Emma very much.

"I cannot wait until you're home for Christmas," Katie continued reading. "Mummy and Daddy said they'd take us ice skating. Do you remember last year when we went? We had such a good time and we laughed so hard when I kept falling down!"

"WHAT is so funny?" Lindsey asked when Katie laughed again. "Is it something about me?"

"A letter from home," Katie said briskly.

"Oh," Lindsey deflated. "Why won't you talk to me?"

Katie pocketed her letter and said a silent reminder to write back to Caroline that evening. "I'm talking to you."

"Yeah but you never talk to me when Jemima's here," she complained.

"That's not true," Katie replied.

"Yes it is," Lindsey said huffily.

"Linds," Katie said with a sigh. "You tried to ruin things for me the first night."

"I did not," Lindsey denied.

"You did too," Katie shot back.

"I SO did not," Lindsey retorted. "All I did was talk about Caroline."

"And why did you do that?" Katie asked, folding her arms.

"I didn't think it was a big deal," Lindsey shrugged.

"You knew exactly what you were doing," Katie said. "You hated that they took to me so fast so you had to find some way to worm your way in."

Lindsey just glared at her.

"If you want to be my friend again, you're going to have to prove yourself," Katie told her.

"What?" Lindsey asked.

"Prove yourself," Katie said tossing her hair over her shoulder. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I promised Ashley I'd go with her to meet with Hagrid."

Lindsey shook her head as Katie left the dormitory.

Katie found her sister just outside the Great Hall. "Hello," Katie said brightly.

"Hey," Ashley smiled at her.

"I got a letter from Caroline," Katie said. She then proceeded to tell her sister about Emma's plans to dress up as a spider for Halloween.

Ashley laughed. "She is just too much!"

"I know," Katie said. "I hope they take lots of pictures."

"I'm sure they will," Ashley assured her. "Come on, Hagrid's waiting for us."

The sisters set off for Hagrid's hut in companionable silence.

"Is that a new hair clip?" Ashley asked looking at the silver barrette in her sister's hair.

"I borrowed it from Jemima," Katie replied.

"Oh," Ashley said. "It's... it's very pretty."

"She has some really pretty ones," Katie said. "She even painted my nails. See?"

"Sounds like you two are really getting on," Ashley said.

"We are," Katie said. "She and Piper are really great."

"Just..." Ashley bit her lip. "Just keep your own mind with them Katie. Don't let them influence the way you think."

"I won't," Katie said. "What about you? You're going to Hogsmeade tomorrow..."

Ashley nodded. "I can't wait."

"You're so lucky," Katie said. "I wish I could go."

"You only have to wait until you're a third year," Ashley said. "It goes by fast."

"That's what Mum said," Katie said.

"I'll get you some sweets," Ashley promised.

"Thanks," Katie said. "Look! There's Hagrid!"

"Hi Hagrid!" Ashley called.

"'allo, Malfoy girls!" Hagrid called back.

The first time Katie had seen Hagrid she had been beyond intimidated, even though she knew how friendly he was.

"The pumpkins look great!" Ashley told him.

"They're for the Halloween feast," Hagrid said proudly

"They're so pretty," Katie commented.

"They make the best pumpkin pies," Hagrid continued. "Maxime loves them..."

Ashley grinned. "I think she'd love anything you made, Hagrid."

Hagrid's entire face turned red and he kicked up a cloud of dirt that enveloped both girls, making them cough.

"Sorry," Hagrid apologised.

"It's okay," Ashley wheezed, waving her hand to clear away the dust.

Katie didn't like getting dirty, but she couldn't be mad at Hagrid. "That---that was a great lesson today, Hagrid."

"Thank you," Hagrid beamed at her.

"He's a great Professor," Ashley said looking up at him. "Grandpa did say you were his favourite."

Hagrid was so pleased to hear this; he nearly unlodged a boulder as he kicked a rock towards the lake.

Katie giggled. "Hagrid!"

Hagrid looked at them. "Rock cakes?"

"Sure," Ashley said.

"Rock cakes?" Katie asked uncertainly.

Ashley leaned in. "Just take small bites. It would hurt his feelings if you didn't try them."

"All right," Katie said a bit reluctantly.

"You girls come on inside," Hagrid said holding open the door.

Katie looked around as soon as she stepped inside. "Wow..."

"It's great, isn't it?" Ashley whispered.

Katie could only nod. She normally didn't like tiny little cottages filled with clutter, but Hagrid's place was different.

"Look," Ashley said. "He has photographs of Grandpa when he was younger with Uncle Ron and Aunt Cho."

Katie laughed. "Look how small they were!"

Ashley nodded. "Hard to believe they were that young, isn't it?"

"My age," Katie replied.

"Yer grandparents ...best people I know," Hagrid said putting a tray down on the table.

"They always liked you," Ashley told him.

Hagrid beamed at her.

Katie hesitantly took one of the rock cakes and looked at her sister.

Ashley picked up the cake and took a small bite.

When Ashley didn't cry out in pain or anything, Katie took a bite of hers as well. "Not bad," she said in surprise.

Hagrid sat down and wolfed one of the cakes down with one bite.

Ashley and Katie ate their rock cakes in small ladylike bites while sipping at the hot tea Hagrid had also brought over.

Hagrid mad the girls laugh as he told them stories about Harry, Ron, Cho and Neville.

"I can't believe Grandpa sneaked a real DRAGON out of here," Katie said in amazement.

"He always told us he never broke rules, just bent them a little," Ashley said.

Hagrid laughed loudly. "Aye!"

"I'll have to remember that next time I get in trouble," Katie commented.

"Dumbledore always had a soft spot for Harry," Hagrid said. "I don't know if the new Headmaster would be the same way."

"But he went to school with him," Katie said.

"I think he means if Grandpa came to school now," Ashley said.

"Oh," Katie said. "Headmaster Wood is pretty tough."

"He's not too bad," Hagrid replied.

"He seems pretty fair," Ashley commented.

"And of course yer Mum is the best professor here," Hagrid proclaimed.

Ashley grinned. "She is."

The girls visited with Hagrid a little while longer before Ashley claimed to have some homework to get done.

Hagrid smiled. "Yer welcome anytime."

"Thanks Hagrid," Ashley gave him a hug.

"Thanks, Hagrid," Katie said looking up at him. He patted her on the top of the head.

"See you soon!" Hagrid boomed, waving as they headed back towards the castle.

"I really like him," Katie said softly.

"It's hard not to like Hagrid," Ashley said. "Some Slytherins don't give him a chance."

"Jemima and Piper haven't said anything bad about him to me," Katie said.

"Good," Ashley replied.

Ashley looked over at her sister as they walked up the steps to the castle. "I'm going to the library. I guess I'll see you at dinner?"

Katie nodded. "Say hi to Brit for me."

"I will," Ashley said giving her sister a hug. She headed for the library and saw her best friends sitting at their usual table.

"Hi guys," she said, dropping her bag.

"Hey," Brittany said. "How's Hagrid?"

"He's fine," Ashley said. "Told Katie all about our grandpa when he was here."

Brittany smiled. She'd seen the photograph of an 11-year old Harry Potter before. "Your granddad was so cute!"

Ashley smiled and shook her head. "Where's Evan?"

"He's meeting us later," Brittany replied.

"So we get to hear about her braces and how horrid they are and then Evan gets here and reassures her she looks fine," Zander said, rolling his eyes.

Brittany glared at him. "Shut it, Zander."

"Be nice," Ashley told him.

"He's just on edge about tryouts Monday," Brittany said.

"You'll do fine," Ashley said. "You know you're a great flyer."

"I don't know," Zander said. "They're a lot of people trying out, Ash."

"And you're better than all of them," Ashley said firmly.

Zander grinned. "Thanks, Ashley."

"I have to finish this essay," Ashley said. "For Potions."

"That's what we're working on," Brittany said.

"It's hard," Ashley admitted. "Finding twenty five uses for ONE potion..."

"Hard for us," Brittany said. "Not so hard for you."

"Why do you say that?" Ashley asked.

"You're brilliant, Ash," Brittany replied. "This is easy for you."

"I'll help you guys when I'm done." Ashley said. "But it may take me awhile."

"We'll be fine," Zander said. "Don't worry, Ash."

Ashley smiled at him before opening her potions book.

Zander opened up his book and was just reaching for his quill when he felt a tap on his shoulder. He turned to see Celia. "Hi, Celia."

"Hey," Celia blushed. "What's... what's up?"

"We're just working on our Potions essays," Zander replied.

"Speak for yourself," Brittany said. "I'm thinking of Hogsmeade tomorrow."

Celia laughed nervously. "Me too. Thinking of Hogsmeade, I mean- not of Potions."

"I'm looking forward to checking out Honeydukes and The Three Broomsticks," Zander said.

Ashley nodded. "Definitely."

Celia fidgeted. "Well, um, I came over here because I was wondering if you might---well, if you'd like to ride in a carriage with me tomorrow, Zander? I think we'd have a really great time together...."

Zander looked at her in surprise. "What?"

"I think she's asking you out," Brittany teased.

"Kind of," Celia admitted.

"Me?" he asked. "Really?"

Celia nodded. Ashley tried to concentrate on her textbook, but she couldn't deny the small pang of jealousy she felt toward the other girl. It was true that she'd wanted to just be friends, but it still hurt to think of some other girl fancying Zander.

"I just sort of thought it might be fun if we hung out together," Celia stammered.

"Um, I don't know," Zander said. "Brit, Ash, Evan and me were going to ride together."

"Oh," Celia nodded, crestfallen. "I understand..."

"You're welcome to ride with us," Brittany said. "There's always room for one more."

"Really?" Celia asked hopefully.

"Of course," Brittany said. "The more the merrier."

"Thanks," Celia smiled at her gratefully.

Brittany smiled back at her. "So, I guess we'll see you tomorrow morning."

"I'll be waiting by the doors," Celia said, looking at Zander.

Zander turned red. "See you, Celia."

She grinned at him and hurried away.

Brittany hit Zander hard on the arm.

"What?" he asked.

"She obviously fancies you, you moron," Brittany said.

Zander shrugged, obviously embarrassed.

"You could have had a little more tact," Brittany pointed out.

"I didn't know what to say!" Zander cast a glance at Ashley, who had buried her face in her book.

"See if you can be nicer tomorrow in Hogsmeade," Brittany said. She spotted Evan. "I'll be right back..."

Zander chanced another look at Ashley who looked up from her book. "What?" she asked softly.

"Nothing," he said hastily.

"She seems nice," Ashley commented.

Zander nodded. "Yeah, she does."

"And it's obvious that she does fancy you," Ashley said quietly.

"What do you think about that?" he asked.

"I don't know," Ashley admitted.

Zander just looked at her.

"But it's not important what I think," Ashley said looking back at him. "It's important what you think. If you fancy her..."

"I think she's nice," he said truthfully.

Ashley nodded. "She obviously feels the same."

Zander nodded.

He wanted to tell her that he wanted nothing more than to spend the day with her tomorrow, but that obviously wasn't what she wanted. She'd made herself clear.

"I think I'm going back to my dormitory before dinner," he said.

"Oh, okay," Ashley said.

"See you later," Zander said.

"Bye, Zander," Ashley said softly.

Brittany rejoined her a moment later. "Where did Zander go?"

"To the dorm," Ashley replied quietly.

Brittany studied her for a moment. "Are you upset about Celia?"

"I don't have any right to be," Ashley said.

"True," Brittany agreed.

"If he wants to date Celia, that's his choice," Ashley said. "It's just---strange, is all."

"You guys probably shouldn't have gone out," Brittany admitted.

Ashley looked across the table at her. "What?"

"If you're awkward around each other now, imagine what it's like when either of you gets serious about someone else," Brittany said.

Brittany had a point, but still Ashley couldn't agree with her entirely. "I don't regret what happened this summer with him."

"I'm glad," Brittany smiled at her.

"He was the first boy I ever kissed, my first boyfriend," Ashley said. "And he's one of my best friends."

"Then you want him to be happy," Brittany pressed.

"Of course," Ashley replied.

"Good," Brittany replied.

"Growing up is hard," Ashley said shaking her head.

"Sometimes," Brittany said. "I do enjoy some of it..."

"The snogging part," Ashley teased.

"Oh yes," Brittany said.

"Think this will get any easier?" Ashley asked.

"Not from what I've heard," Brittany said ruefully.

Ashley laughed. "So what do we do?"

"Keep growing up, I guess," Brittany glanced back over at Evan.

"Easier said than done," Ashley mused.

Meanwhile in the Slytherin Common Room, Katie had just joined Jemima and Piper.

"Hogsmeade tomorrow," Piper was saying. "Jem, do you know what we're going to do?"

Jemima shrugged. "Not sure yet."

"Gladrags first," Piper said thoughtfully. "I need a new scarf."

"Hopefully you won't get a ridiculous one like last time," Jemima said scornfully.

Piper glared at her. "It wasn't ridiculous. It matched my green jumper."

"Yes it was," Jemima told her.

"At least it wasn't second-hand like something the Weasleys would wear," Piper chimed in.

Katie sighed hoping that they weren't going to start in on her family again.

"Or that hideous jumper Erin Lindstrom wore," Jemima said casting a haughty look at the fourth year Slytherin who was reading by the fire.

Piper laughed derisively. "That colour washes her out."

Erin looked up from her book. "My mother knitted this for me."

"Who asked your opinion?" Jemima snapped.

"You were making fun of my jumper," Erin started to say.

"And we weren't talking TO you," Jemima said coldly.

Piper giggled. "My father told me that Erin's father was sacked from his job at the Ministry."

"If he dresses like her then no wonder," Jemima muttered.

Katie looked over at the other girl who seemed to be on the verge of tears.

She wondered if she should speak up but didn't think it would stop Jemima and Piper.

"It's too bad we can't kick you out of Slytherin," Jemima said to Erin. "You obviously don't belong. You're more of a Hufflepuff. Weak. Stupid. Poor..."

Erin slammed her book shut and hurried out of the common room.

Jemima and Piper shared a triumphant look. "See, Katherine?" Jemima asked. "That's how you do it. Everything and everyone has a place."

"I guess," Katie replied.

"It's up to us to remind them of that," Piper said.

"Come," Jemima said to Katie. "You can sit with us."

Katie grinned. "Thanks."

Jemima smiled at her as she sat down. "How was your day, Katherine?"

"It was great," Katie replied. "How was yours?"

"Just fine," Jemima shrugged.

"She's in lurve," Piper said to Katie.

"Piper!" Jemima spoke sharply.

"Jem, you are," Piper giggled. "Tristan Stone."

Katie nodded. She knew of the fifth-year Slytherin, though she'd never spoken to him.

"He is soooo gorgeous," Piper said.

"And he's mine," Jemima said.

"No one else would go after him," Katie said. "Not if they knew you were interested."

"They'd better not," Jemima said.

"You'd destroy them," Piper replied.

"Destroy them?" Katie asked. "How?"

Jemima laughed. "Oh Katherine... that's a lesson I'm sure you'll learn sooner or later."

Katie wondered if she should have a notebook with her to take notes. "Oh...okay."

"All in due time," Jemima said straightening up and tossing her long hair back as Tristan came into the common room.

"Hiya, Jemima," Tristan said spotting her.

"Hello Tristan," Jemima said in her sweetest voice.

"Have you seen Erin?" Tristan asked.

"What?" Jemima's face fell.

Tristan nodded. "We're going to Hogsmeade together."

Katie and Piper's jaws both fell as Jemima's face got very red.

"If you see her, tell her I'm looking for her," Tristan said. "See you at dinner."

"That witch," Piper said furiously once Tristan had gone. "Stealing your man that way!"

Katie looked over at Jemima.

"Looks like you're going to learn this lesson a bit sooner than we thought, Katherine." Jemima said, her eyes narrowed.

"I am?" Katie asked.

"Dinner should be very interesting tonight," Jemima said.

"What are you going to do to her?" Katie asked.

Jemima smiled cruelly. "Wait and see."

Little did anyone know, Lindsey had heard the conversation. She thought about what she could do with this information. Truth be told, Lindsey didn't much care for Piper and Jemima.

They had taken away the only person that really bothered to talk to her.

Lindsey hurried upstairs to the fourth-year girls’ dormitory. She knocked on the door. "Hello?"

Erin opened the door. "What do you want?"

"I'm Lindsey Gill," Lindsey said. "I'm a first-year. I heard what Jemima and Piper were saying to you earlier. I'm really sorry."

Erin shrugged. "What of it?"

"Tristan Stone came looking for you right after you left," Lindsey said. "I'm sure you know that Jemima fancies him..."

"Who doesn't?" Erin rolled her eyes.

"I overheard her saying that she was going to get back at you," Lindsey said. "I wanted to warn you."

Erin stared at her for a moment. "How did she find out--"

"When Tristan came looking for you," Lindsey said. "He mentioned that the two of you were going to Hogsmeade together."

"Bloody hell," Erin pushed her hair back.

"What are you going to do?" Lindsey asked.

"I don't know." Erin said. "But... thanks for telling me."

Lindsey smiled. "You're welcome."

Erin gave her a half-hearted smile and shut the door.

Lindsey hoped that Erin would do something to stop Jemima or at least make her look foolish.

"What are you doing up here?" a sharp voice asked her.

"I was looking for my cat," Lindsey responded.

"You don't have a cat," Jemima said coolly.

"You don't know anything about me," Lindsey retorted.

"I know enough," Jemima brushed past her.

"Whatever," Lindsey said rolling her eyes.

"You should watch yourself, little first year," Jemima told her as Piper and Katie came up behind her.

"Linds, what are you doing?" Katie hissed.

"None of your business," Lindsey snapped.

Katie glared at her.

"Run along," Piper pushed her aside.

"Gladly," Lindsey said before stalking downstairs.

"And you said you were friends with her?" Piper asked disdainfully.

Katie shook her head. "Was. She showed her true colours and I dropped her."

"Good for you," Jemima said approvingly.

"She traded up," Piper grinned.

"Totally," Katie scoffed.

Jemima grinned, too. "You're going to be a great student, Katherine."

286. Chapter 286 A Compromise

Authors’ note: We hope you enjoy the chapter! And for those who celebrate it, Happy Easter!

Alexa was settling into her new life at college quite well. She was excelling in her classes and she loved the weather. But, she hadn't seen as much of her boyfriend as she would have liked. He was taking a full course load and had started volunteering at a local hospital.

Tonight would be the first chance they would have to see each other in a few days. He had invited her over to his grandparents' for dinner. Alexa opened the door to her dorm room and smiled when she saw her roommate doing yoga in the middle of the room.

"Hi, Carmen," Alexa said.

"Hiya!" Carmen said happily.

Alexa set her backpack down on her bed. "How was your day?"

"Great!" Carmen said brightly. "Yours?"

"It was good," Alexa replied. "Especially my creative writing class."

"I saw the CUTEST guy today in the quad," Carmen told her.

Alexa laughed. "Carmen, you said that yesterday, too."

"Well today I really saw him," Carmen sat on the bed. "And he's ALMOST as gorgeous as yours."

Alexa laughed. "Almost, eh?"

"I just can't believe your luck," Carmen said. "Practically engaged to the son of one of the MOST FAMOUS directors of our time!"

Alexa hid her smile. Carmen was obsessed with this fact and the first time Gabriel had visited, Carmen had cornered him with hundreds of questions.

She almost thought Nico and Carmen would make a good match, but then again, they were really too much alike.

"And his stepmother is this fantastic designer!" Carmen gushed.

"It's not really that big a deal," Alexa said, grabbing a few of her books.

Carmen reached over and turned off the music she'd been exercising too. "Not that big a deal! Oh, Alexa..."

"It really isn't," Alexa insisted.

Carmen smiled. "That girl called you...Paprika?"

"Paprika?" Alexa asked.

"Saffron," Carmen corrected.

"Oh," Alexa nodded. "What about her?"

"She called you," Carmen replied.

"Oh!" Alexa said. "Thanks-- I hope everything's okay with the baby."

"She seemed okay," Carmen said.

"Good," Alexa replied. "Thanks."

Alexa reached for her phone.

"Are you going to call Gabriel?" Carmen asked hopefully.

"No," Alexa said. "I'm calling Saffy back."

"I've got to meet her," Carmen said. "You talk about her so much I feel like I know her."

Alexa smiled. "She's going to visit after the baby's born." Alexa dialled the number. "Saffy?"

"Lexie!" Saffron exclaimed. "I wasn't sure you'd ring back tonight!"

"I just finished with classes for the day," Alexa replied. "How are you? Is everything okay with the baby?"

"Everything is great," Saffron said. "I just miss you like mad."

"I miss you too," Alexa said. "How's my little goddaughter? She's ready to make her debut isn't she?"

"We're getting there," Saffron said. "You wouldn't believe how fat I am."

"Saffy, you are not fat," Alexa reassured her.

"I so am," Saffron said. "But its okay, I guess. We had another ultrasound and we really got to see Ellie this time!"

"Oh, Saffy!" Alexa squealed.

"I'll send you a copy of it," Saffron said. "But it was so, so brilliant."

"You cried, didn't you?" Alexa asked.

"Bawled," Saffron admitted.

"How'd she look?" Alexa asked.

"Perfect," Saffron said. "It was the most amazing thing I've ever seen."

"Well, she is Saffron Potter's baby," Alexa joked. "Could she be anything less than perfect?"

"Of course not," Saffron said. "Andrew, RJ and Audrey say hello, by the way. RJ and Audrey were over here earlier for dinner."

"Oh, I wish I could have been there," Alexa said wistfully.

"I wish you were here too," Saffron said. "But I know you're doing what you love there."

Alexa told her about the assignment she was working on for her creative writing class. "I'll email it to you and you can let me know what you think."

"That would be great," Saffron said. "I always did like reading your stuff."

"Tell her that I love hearing her accent," Carmen said nudging Alexa.

Alexa laughed. "Carmen says hello and she loves your accent," she told Saffron.

Saffron laughed. "I'll lay it on thicker the next time I talk to her."

"She'll love it," Alexa said with a grin. "I have to go get ready- I'm having dinner with Gabe's grandparents tonight."

"Tell them I said hello," Saffron said.

"I will," Alexa promised. "And you let me know when Ellie's born."

"I will," Saffron said. "Have a good night, Lexie."

"Bye Saffy," Alexa said.

Carmen practically pounced on Alexa when she hung up the phone. "What are you going to wear on your date? Is his father going to be there?"

Alexa laughed. "I don't know what I'm going to wear, and no I don't think his father will be there. Gabe didn't say anything about it."

"If he is, you have to take lots of photos," Carmen told her.

"Carmen," Alexa shook her head. "He's just a regular guy. I've known him for as long as I've been friends with Saffron."

"You know one of the reasons why I decided to go to school here was so I'd get the chance to see famous people," Carmen told her.

"That's the only reason?" Alexa asked.

"Of course not," Carmen said, waving her arm. "It's just one of the reasons. I mean, we do not get this type of thing in Alabama. "

"You'll get used to it, I'm sure." Alexa told her.

"Why is Gabe going to be a doctor?" Carmen asked. "I mean, he could follow in his father's footsteps. Or he could be an actor. He certainly has the looks for it."

"Because he wants to heal people," Alexa said, looking in her closet.

Carmen shook her head and returned to her yoga.

Alexa picked out her outfit and laid it on her bed, then headed to the bathroom to take a quick shower. It had taken some getting used to- sharing a bathroom with an entire floor, but she'd grown accustomed quickly.

Besides, she'd shared a bathroom with Beth and Mimi---and that could prepare you for anything.

It didn't take her long to get ready, and by then Carmen had finished her yoga.

"You look hot," Carmen told her.

"Thanks," Alexa said, amused.

There was a knock on the door and Carmen went to answer it since she was closest. Her eyes brightened when she saw who it was. "Gabe!"

"Hi Carmen," Gabriel said warily.

Alexa waved at him. "Carmen? You are going to let him in, right?"

"Oh..." Carmen grinned. "Yes... of course..." she finally stepped aside.

"Hiya, Lexie," Gabriel said as he stepped into the room. "You look great."

"Thanks," Alexa grinned at him. "So do you."

"Is your dad going to be there?" Carmen asked before she could stop herself.

"What?" Gabriel asked.

"Tonight," Carmen said. "At your grandparents'.”

"No," Gabriel shook his head. "He's in Mexico on a shoot."

Carmen slapped herself on the forehead. "Of course! I forgot about that! I cannot wait to see that film. I know he's known for his action movies, but I love the love stories. Don't you?"

"They're okay, I guess," Gabriel said.

Carmen grabbed him by the arm. "And you didn't tell me you were an extra in one of his films! Next time I watch it, I'm going to have to see if I spot you and Alexa!"

Gabriel had forgotten all about that time. "Yeah... you might see us in there."

"Carmen, we're going to go," Alexa said grabbing her purse.

"Are you going to come back here tonight?" Carmen asked Gabriel.

"When I drop Alexa off," Gabriel replied. "Why?"

"Just curious," Carmen said innocently.

"Good night," Alexa said shaking her head.

"See you," Carmen said, a bit wistfully.

"I'm so sorry," Alexa told Gabriel while they waited for the lift.

"It's okay," he said squeezing her hand.

"She's obsessed," Alexa said laughing.

"Just a bit," Gabriel said. "I'm scared for my dad should she ever get to meet him."

Alexa shuddered. "And your step mum. She's fascinated by her, as well."

Gabriel grinned. "I think Lavender could handle her."

"Don't be so sure," Alexa giggled as they stepped into the lift.

Gabriel put his arms around her. "I've missed you."

"I've missed you too," Alexa said leaning in and giving him a kiss.

Gabriel pulled her closer and deepened the kiss.

"Mmmm," Alexa murmured.

He pulled away after a moment. "I've got to tell you all about my time at the hospital later."

"Oh yeah?" Alexa asked as they stepped off the lift and headed outside.

"I'm learning so much more than I am reading books and sitting in a classroom," Gabriel said eagerly.

Alexa squeezed his hand. "You love it."

"I do," he nodded.

They walked over to his car and he held the door open for her. "I imagine you're in your element when you're there. You were born to be a doctor."

"When I was a kid I wanted to be a bus driver," he confessed, sliding behind the wheel after helping her in.

Alexa laughed. "Really?"

"Yeah," he said sheepishly. "Mum dated this guy for awhile that drove a city bus and I thought it was so cool he got to collect money and take people around."

Alexa grinned. "Well, you know you could still change your career path."

"Right," Gabriel said dryly. "Very funny, Lexie."

"I could just see you in that little hat and the uniform," Alexa teased.

He groaned.

"I can't wait to see your grandparents and eat something that doesn't come out of the cafeteria," Alexa said.

"My grandmother promised a good meal for us," Gabriel said.

Alexa smiled. "And I heard from Saffy today."

"Oh yeah?" he asked. "How's she doing?"

"Great," Alexa said. "She had an ultrasound and she was able to see how much the baby's grown. She sounds so happy, Gabe."

"I'm glad," Gabriel said. "She deserves to be happy."

"She does," Alexa said. "Next weekend is her shower and I'm going to pop over to make an appearance."

"She'll love that," Gabriel smiled at her.

"So will I," Alexa grinned. "I found the cutest little outfit the other---what?"

"Another outfit?" he asked.

"Just one," Alexa said sheepishly. "And a matching hat..."

Gabriel shook his head. "That baby's never going to need clothing again."

Alexa hit him on the shoulder. "I'm her godmother, Gabe. I'm supposed to spoil her."

He chuckled. "Spoil her yes, not clothe her for the rest of her life."

"I've only bought a few things, "Alexa said defensively.

"A few hundred," Gabriel cracked. "Okay, okay... I'm sorry. You're excited- I understand."

"I am," Alexa said.

"Nothing wrong with that," he said, reaching for her hand.

Alexa grinned. "Nothing at all."

They arrived at Gabriel's house and Alexa could smell the aroma of fresh-cooked food from outside.

"Mmm..." Gabriel said. "That smells so good."

"Do you know what she's making?" Alexa asked.

"Smells kind of spicy," Gabriel said. "But she didn't tell me."

"A surprise," Alexa smiled.

He gave her a quick kiss before leading her inside.

"Gabe, is that you?" Margaret called out.

"Hi Grandma," Gabriel called.

"Hi, Mrs. Boyd," Alexa called out.

Margaret appeared in the doorway with a welcoming smile on her face.

"Something smells delicious," Alexa said.

"I made my special curry," Margaret said. "I'm sure it's not as good as you had in England but--"

"I imagine it's better," Alexa said giving her a hug.

"It's so good to see you, dear." Margaret said. "And you too, Gabriel."

Gabriel looked at Alexa. "She's upset that I leave in the mornings before she and Grandpa are up."

"You should spend a little time with them," Alexa nudged him.

"I like this girl," Margaret said.

"And a little time with me," Alexa teased.

Gabriel put his arm around her. "I can do that."

"How about something to drink?" Margaret asked. "Lewis is just finishing up in the garden and he'll be just a few minutes."

"Lemonade would be great," Gabriel said. "But I can get it, Grandma."

"Nonsense," Margaret said. "I like to spoil you a bit."

"A little spoiling can be good," Alexa said nudging Gabe. She looked at Margaret. "He keeps teasing me because I'm buying things for Saffy's baby."

Margaret smiled. "How is she doing?"

"She's great," Alexa replied. "Very happy."

"Good," Margaret said as Lewis came in the back door.

"Hi, Mr. Boyd," Alexa said smiling at him.

Lewis smiled. "Hello Alexa. Good to see you."

"Hi, Grandpa," Gabriel grinned.

"Who is this stranger?" Lewis teased.

"Your hard-working, handsome grandson," Margaret said.

"I think I remember him," Lewis winked at Alexa before going to the sink to wash up.

"He was going to tell me about what happened at the hospital today," Alexa said.

"Oh?" Lewis asked. "Tell us all, Gabe."

"Well, this week, I've been on the paediatric floor," Gabe began.

"Babies?" Alexa asked,

Gabriel shook his head. "Children. Cancer patients."

"Oh," Alexa sobered up.

"Working with them reminds me of why I decided to do this," Gabriel said.

"That's lovely," Alexa said. "Those children must be so brave."

"They are," Gabriel said. "There's one little girl...Daisy...she's absolutely amazing, Lexie."

"Tell me about her," Alexa said as they all sat down at the table.

"She's six years old and loves to read," Gabriel told her. "The nurses said she wasn't talking to anyone and I came in and starting reading to her and she spoke up and told me that I was missing parts."

"That's fantastic," Alexa said encouragingly.

"And so I sit with her and read to her," Gabriel said.

Margaret smiled. "Just like you did with Sam."

Gabriel nodded.

"That meant so much to your mom and I know it means a lot to that little girl," Margaret said proudly.

"I'm glad to do it," Gabriel said. He felt a lump in his throat and went to change the subject. "Lexie, tell us about your journalism classes."

Alexa smiled. "They're going really well. I really love my creative writing class."

"What's your next project?" Lewis asked.

"We have to write a short story," Alexa said. "I have to come up with a good idea."

"You'll think of something," Gabriel said.

Alexa nodded. "I'll let you read it."

"Cool," Gabriel leaned back in his chair and grinned at her.

"This is really great, Mrs. Boyd," Alexa said.

"Good," Margaret said. "Eat up. They can't be feeding you well at that dormitory."

"They feed me, but I don't think you could call it real food," Alexa laughed.

"Of course not," Margaret said. "So eat up, and if there are leftovers you can take them with you."

"Thank you," Alexa said.

"You really outdid yourself," Gabriel nodded.

"My Maggie always does," Lewis said fondly.

Margaret blushed. "It was nothing..."

"Just you wait until dessert," Lewis said. "Gabe, she made your favourite."

"Oh?" Gabriel perked up.

Alexa grinned. "German chocolate cake?"

"With coconut frosting," Margaret smiled.

"Grandma, you are too good to me," Gabriel said with a grin.

"Have to keep you well fed," Margaret said.

After dinner, Alexa and Gabe told a reluctant Margaret that they would take care of cleaning up. "But---" Margaret sputtered.

"Just go relax in the living room," Gabriel said. "Alexa and I will bring in some coffee soon as we're done."

"It's the least we can do," Alexa said.

"Nonsense--" Margaret began.

Gabriel laughed. "Grandma, I can carry you out of here...."

"Leave that to me," Lewis joked. "Come on Maggie."

"She's pretty stubborn," Alexa said to Gabe when they were alone. "She could give Saffy a run for her money."

"We should see them go head to head sometime," Gabriel joked as he started to clear the table.

"The clash of the titans," Alexa said. "Merlin, I'm full."

"Me too," he said. "I don't think I'll eat for three days."

"Oh please," Alexa said shaking her head.

He grinned at her. "Just kidding."

"I know you too well," Alexa said.

"Yes you do," he said. "And I know you well enough to know that you'd rather wash these dishes with magic so we can steal a few minutes outside together."

"Mr. Boyd," Alexa chastised. "I left my wand back at the dorm."

"Bummer," Gabriel grimaced.

"Bummer," Alexa said nudging him. "Come on. We can get rid of this mess quickly."

"Right," Gabriel began clearing the dishes from the table.

Alexa hid a smile as she walked over to the chair in the corner of the room where she'd set her purse. She pulled her wand out.

Gabriel was carrying the dishes to the sink when they floated out of his hands. "Hey!"

Alexa grinned. "Yes?"

Gabriel shook his head. "You are such a show off."

"Me?" Alexa asked innocently. She guided the dishes to the sink with her wand.

Gabriel watched as she had the kitchen clean in thirty seconds. "Now that's the way to do it."

Alexa grinned. "I'm glad you approve."

"Come on," Gabriel took her hand and led her into the backyard.

"It's a beautiful night," Alexa said thoughtfully.

"Yes it is," he said gazing at her.

Alexa squeezed his hand. "I am still getting used to living in nice weather."

"It stays like this almost all year," Gabriel told her.

Alexa leaned against him. "I love it."

Gabriel turned and buried his face in her long hair.

"I've missed you," Alexa said softly.

"I'm sorry," he said. "We need to spend more time together."

"It's okay," Alexa said softly. "You have to work hard and I'll support you any way I can."

Gabriel gave her a soft kiss. "I appreciate that."

"And I'm so proud of you," Alexa said. "You're making a difference, Gabe."

"I just want to help people," he said.

"That's one of the things I love most about you," Alexa said smiling at him.

Gabriel leaned in and kissed her more deeply this time.

Alexa rested her forehead on his. "I love you."

"When are we going to spend the night together like we kept talking about?" he asked.

Alexa smiled. "Soon."

"Very soon?" he asked hopefully.

"Yes," Alexa promised. "In fact, maybe...maybe you could go with me to London for Saffy's shower.”

"When is it again?" he asked.

"Next weekend," Alexa replied.

"I'm sure I can manage something," Gabriel said.

Alexa grinned. "Really?"

"Yeah," he said, squeezing her shoulders.

Alexa grinned. "So I guess having me around isn't too much of a distraction?"

"Never," he replied. "I'll always want you around."

Alexa grinned and stood up, walking over to the basketball hoop that was in the middle of the yard. She picked up the basketball.

"Oh no," Gabriel shook his head. "I don't need to be humiliated again..."

Alexa laughed. "Come on, Boyd. You might beat me this time."

"Yeah right," he shook his head again.

"Okay," Alexa said tossing ball at him. "So, this is where you grew up, eh?"

Gabriel nodded. "For the most part."

Alexa smiled. "Ickle Gabriel running around the backyard."

"Very funny," he said dryly.

Alexa laughed. "I try..."

"We lived in Pasadena for awhile and then when my mom started getting sick we moved in with my grandparents," Gabriel said. "I was pretty young."

Alexa sat back down beside him and reached for his hand.

"I'm okay," he assured her.

Alexa gave him a kiss.

"I have you," Gabriel said. "That makes me happier than I've ever been."

"You have me, you have a family, and you have great friends," Alexa said. "And we're not going anywhere."

"I know," Gabriel said.

"Let's go back inside," Alexa said.

"Yeah," he nodded. "My grandparents are probably wondering what we're up to."

Alexa and Gabriel walked into the house and saw Gabe's grandparents' sitting in the kitchen drinking coffee.

"Hey," Gabriel said sheepishly. "We were supposed to bring that in to you, weren't we?"

"About an hour ago," Lewis said dryly.

"Sorry," Gabriel said.

"It's okay," Margaret reassured him. "Alexa, I made you some tea."

"Thank you," Alexa said gratefully.

"I'll pour it," Gabriel said. "Have a seat, Lexie."

"Okay," Alexa sat down next go Margaret. "Dinner was delicious Mrs. Boyd. Thank you so much for having me over."

Margaret smiled at her. "You're welcome here, anytime."

"When I get sick of dorm food, I'll be here," Alexa joked.

Gabriel set a cup of tea in front of his girlfriend. "This is my favourite kitchen. It's always open, right Grandma?"

"You better believe it," Margaret said. "That's something Nico has taken to heart on many occasions."

"I'm surprised he isn't here," Lewis grumbled.

"Don't say that too loudly," Gabriel joked.

Alexa laughed. "Well, you haven't met my roommate, Mr. Boyd. Carmen's like Nico's twin."

"There's another one?" Lewis looked pained.

Margaret laughed. "Lewis!"

"She's harmless," Alexa laughed.

"I'm sure she's lovely," Margaret said.

"She's not so bad," Alexa replied. "She gets excited when Gabriel comes by..."

"Let me guess, she likes his father," Lewis replied dryly.

"Loves," Gabriel said. "I swear she's his biggest fan."

"She likes your step mum, too," Alexa pointed out.

"That's true," Gabriel said. "Does she know how many Lavender Brown originals you have?"

Alexa nodded. "She raided my closet."

"And you still have clothing?" Gabriel asked

Alexa laughed. "Yes."

Gabriel shook his head. "She's high strung."

"She's a little like Beth," Alexa said thoughtfully.

"I can see that," Gabriel told her.

Alexa laughed. "She's fine, Gabe."

Gabriel slid his arm around her.

Alexa leaned against him. "Mrs. Boyd, how is your garden?"

"Just fine," Margaret said. "I'll show it to you..."

"We're really proud of it," Lewis said.

"I'm able to get all our vegetables fresh from there," Margaret told her, leading her outside.

Alexa told Margaret about how much a little girl she knew back in London liked to garden. "Hannah's really great at it. You should see their garden."

"She sounds like a sweet little girl," Margaret said. "Perhaps when you're back there you'll take some pictures for me. I've always wanted to see a real English garden."

"I will," Alexa promised.

Margaret patted the younger girl's arm. "You are so good for Gabriel."

Alexa smiled. "He's so good for me, Mrs. Boyd. I love him very much."

"He loves you too," Margaret said. "I haven't seen him this happy in a very long time."

"And busy," Alexa commented.

"I think Gabriel gets his work ethic from Seamus," Margaret commented.

"I think so too," Alexa said. "They both work so hard."

"Like father like son," Margaret laughed. "Sam used to say that... not in Gabriel's presence of course."

Alexa smiled. "Did you tell Gabe this?"

"Many times," Margaret nodded.

"I'm really glad that he took the chance to find his dad," Alexa said. "Not just because it brought he and I together...just that I think they both needed it."

Margaret nodded. "I agree," she said, pulling a stray weed from the ground and tossing it aside. "Seamus has been so good to him."

"And Lavender too," Alexa said.

"Oh of course," Margaret nodded. "She's a dear woman."

"Gabe said that his mother liked to garden too," Alexa said.

"She did enjoy it," Margaret nodded. "Especially near the end, although she was too weak to do much. She would just sit out here."

Alexa smiled. "I wish I could have known her."

"She would have loved you," Margaret told her.

"You think so?" Alexa asked.

"Absolutely," Margaret assured her.

Alexa gave the older woman a hug. "Thank you, Mrs. Boyd."

Margaret patted her back. "We should get back to the boys before we lose them to Dodgers talk."

Alexa laughed. "Heaven forbid, right?"

"We'll never pry them apart," Margaret said as they headed back in.

"Well, now you have a partner in crime to help you," Alexa said with a grin.

Margaret laughed as Alexa opened the door for her.

"We need better pitching," Gabe was saying to Lewis. "Pitching is the key, Grandpa."

"We've lost them already," Alexa said to Margaret.

"What?" Gabriel asked.

"You and the Dodgers," Alexa said. "When you get going, nothing else exists."

"That's not true," Gabriel said defensively.

Alexa grinned at him. "Yes it is and you know it."

"You mean like you and your future goddaughter?" Gabriel countered.

Alexa smiled sheepishly. "I don't get lost in talking about her. I've just been buying her clothes because they're so cute!"

"You're going overboard," Gabriel said.

Alexa frowned at him. "That's not for you to decide."

"She's right," Margaret said.

"Yeah but--" Gabriel began.

"Shut up while you're behind, son," Lewis said clapping him on the back.

Gabriel shook his head.

Alexa thanked the Boyds for having her over for dinner and a few minutes later, she and Gabriel were driving back to her dorm.

"Why so quiet?" she asked him.

"Just thinking about the reading I have to do before I go to bed tonight," Gabriel replied.

"Oh," Alexa nodded.

"And the two labs," Gabriel replied. "Not to mention the two hours I have at the hospital tomorrow."

"You're so busy," Alexa said softly.

He reached for her hand. "I know, but it won't always be like this."

"I hope not," Alexa said. "I mean... I don't begrudge you being busy because I know what it's going to do for you in the long run."

"I'll always make time for you, Lexie," Gabe said.

"I'm glad to hear that," she smiled at him.

Gabriel smiled. "And I promise not to give you a hard time about your goddaughter. I know how important this is to you."

"And I won't bug you about the Dodgers," Alexa squeezed his hand. "I know it's a big thing for you and your grandfather."

"So this is a truce?" Gabriel asked with a grin.

"Were we fighting?" she nudged him.

Gabriel laughed. "No."

"I didn't think so," she said with a grin.

Gabriel parked the car and he looked over at his girlfriend. "I'll walk you inside."

"Thank you," Alexa said, leaning against him. "I wish you could stay."

"We'll have next weekend," Gabriel promised.

"Good," Alexa said, putting her arms around him.

"I'm glad you could come with me tonight," Gabriel said softly.

"Me too," Alexa said, closing her eyes.

"I'll ring you tomorrow before I go to the hospital," Gabriel promised.

"Okay," Alexa said. "I can't wait."

Gabriel gave her a long, lingering kiss before he finally tore himself away. Alexa watched as he walked back to his car.

"I love you!" she called out to him.

"I love you!" Gabriel called back, waving at her before getting into his car.

Alexa watched him leave the parking lot then turned and headed upstairs to her room.

Carmen was sitting on her bed reading when Alexa entered. "Hi!"

"Hi Carmen," Alexa said. "What's up?"

"You tell me!" Carmen exclaimed. "How was it?"

"It was just dinner with his grandparents," Alexa told her. "The four of us."

Carmen frowned. "Oh...I thought maybe his dad would be there. I know, he said his father was filming..."

"He's in Mexico," Alexa told her.

"I know, but I was just hoping he might pop in," Carmen said.

Alexa shook her head and laughed. "You're incorrigible."

Carmen grinned. "I try."

Alexa grabbed her pyjamas and changed behind her closet door. "His grandmother made curry- it was so good."

"Better than the meatloaf the cafeteria was serving," Carmen grimaced. "I'm sure."

Alexa wrinkled her nose. "I'm not sorry I missed that. Tomorrow let's go have dinner off campus somewhere."

Carmen grinned. "I'd love that. Pizza."

"Perfect," Alexa replied, climbing into her bed.

Carmen set her book aside and turned off her bedside lamp. "Good night, Alexa."

Alexa smiled at her. "You don't need to turn that off because of me."

"I'm tired," Carmen told her. "It's okay."

"I've only got one class tomorrow," Alexa said. "Then I have a ton of homework to do."

"I have three classes tomorrow," Carmen groaned.

"It'll be the weekend soon," Alexa said.

"Not soon enough," Carmen said. "And then next weekend, you're going to England. I can't believe you're going to be there for such a short time. I mean, you'll be spending almost all of it on a plane."

"I know," Alexa smiled in the darkness. "But it's for Saffy's baby shower. I couldn't miss it."

"You're a good friend to do that," Carmen commented.

"Saffron is like a sister to me," Alexa said. "I'd be there in a heartbeat if she needed me."

"You guys have been through a lot, eh?" Carmen asked.

Alexa nodded. "Yes..."

Alexa smiled again in the darkness. Carmen had no idea.

"It all sounds so glamorous," Carmen said.

"Hardly," Alexa said with a laugh.

"Well it sounds like it to me," Carmen said. "You've lived in a foreign country, your boyfriend's father is a famous director and you get to jet back to England when you want..."

"My father logged a lot of frequent flier miles is all," Alexa lied. "So it's no big deal."

"I guess," Carmen replied.

"And Gabriel's dad is just like anyone else," Alexa said.

"If you say so," Carmen replied in a sing song voice.

"Good night, Carmen," Alexa laughed.

"Talk to you in the morning," Carmen replied, turning on her side.

Alexa closed her eyes.

Thoughts of Gabriel filled her head as she drifted off to sleep.

Next weekend would be rushed but she hoped that they would be able to find some time together. She wanted that more than anything.

It had been too long since they had been together and she missed the intimacy they shared. They had missed a lot of time together with all that had happened with Gordon Devereaux.

But things were back to being on track now that she had moved here and was getting her education like she'd always wanted.

It wasn't glamorous to Alexa, but she thought it was about as near to perfect as you could possibly get.

*** *** ***

Allison was not in the best of moods when she left the pub that evening to pick up Emma and Adam from Lizzy’s. Josh and Jon were barely speaking and it was starting to wear on the entire staff. Jon had to stay behind to meet with one of their distributors.

With a sigh, Allison knocked on the door to her best friend’s house.

"Hey," Lizzy said with a grin as she opened the door. "The kids have been waiting for you."

"Hi," Allison said forcing a smile. "I'm sorry I wasn't on time..."

"It's okay," Lizzy assured her. "What's wrong?"

Allison didn't even know where to begin. She didn't have to worry as Adam and Emma ran toward her. "Mummy!" Emma squealed.

"Hi baby," Allison said as they slammed into her.

"Em, mean!" Adam said holding up his arms for Allison to pick him up.

"What?" Allison asked. "Why is Emma mean?"

"Adam started it," Emma said defensively.

"DID NOT!" Adam hollered.

Lizzy put her hand on Emma's shoulder. "I gave the kids tea and biscuits and Emma took one of Adam's and then when he got angry, she took another one."

"Emma Madeline," Allison looked at her daughter. "What have we told you about taking other people's food?"

Adam wagged his finger at Emma. "No-no, Em!"

Emma stuck her tongue out at Adam.

"Emma," Allison chastised.

"Well he's dumb," Emma announced.

"You do not call your brother dumb," Allison said. "I think you're due for a time out when we get home."

Emma pouted.

Allison looked at her friend. "I'm so sorry, Liz."

"It's okay," Lizzy reassured her. "All day, they were fine up until that one thing."

"Good," Allison set Adam down and rubbed at her forehead.

"Why don't you lot go and pack up your things?" Lizzy told Emma and Adam.

"Fine," Emma said grumpily.

"And no more fighting," Allison added.

Adam toddled after his big sister.

Lizzy looked at her friend. "Long day?"

Allison just shook her head. "Things just really aren't good at the pub."

Lizzy folded her arms. "Josh said things were pretty tense..."

"Very," Allison nodded. "I don't know if this partnership was such a good idea."

"Well," Lizzy said. "Jon's kind of resistant to change. I think that's where most of the problem stems from---"

"That definitely hasn't helped," Allison agreed cautiously. "But it IS his pub..."

"His pub?" Lizzy asked. "Allie---"

"He would have bought it right out if we'd had the money and Vic hadn't had to move so suddenly," Allison replied.

"Allie, Jon would never have been able to run that by himself," Lizzy said with a slight laugh.

"You never know," Allison shrugged. "I think he would have done fine."

"Well, you always have made excuses for him," Lizzy commented.

"He's my husband," Allison answered. "It's the same for you with Josh."

"I know," Lizzy said. "I guess--I guess I've just been hearing Josh's side of things."

"He hasn't been so easy to work with," Allison said quietly. "And I wouldn't say that unless it was true."

"What's he done?" Lizzy asked.

"He wants to make all these changes, but they aren't always for the good of the pub," Allison explained. "And he's alienating all the employees."

"He is?" Lizzy asked, taken aback.

"Today Audrey almost quit," Allison confessed.

"What?" Lizzy asked.

"It was just a bad day all around," Allison said quietly. "Jon had to do some fast talking to keep her on."

"I had no idea," Lizzy said quietly.

"He probably never told you about that," Allison said. "I don't mean to dump on him. I care about Josh... I just wish he'd loosen up."

"He likes to be successful," Lizzy said in Josh's defence. "He saw this as a huge challenge."

"I know," Allison nodded. "But it never was a challenge. The pub can run itself, and things were fine. I'm not saying some of the changes he's made have been bad- taking inventory isn't so bad now that we've gotten used to it, and the customers love the sofas he put in near the front."

Lizzy nodded.

"He just needs to realise that not everything Jon does is irresponsible and wrong," Allison finished.

"Do you want me to say something?" Lizzy asked.

"I don't know," Allison sighed. "If you think it would help..."

"We're family," Lizzy said. "We want to make this work."

Allison nodded. "I think deep down, both of them want this to work too."

"And I don't think we could put them both in time out like we can with the little ones," Lizzy said with a grin.

"If only it were that easy," Allison smiled gratefully at her best friend. "Thanks Liz."

"No problem," Lizzy said. "We should have spoken about it earlier."

"Leave it to the women to work things out, right?" Allison asked as Emma and Adam came back into the foyer.

"Give your Aunt Lizzy a big hug," Allison told them.

Adam reached for his aunt and gave her a kiss on the cheek.

Lizzy smiled. "Thanks, Adam. You can come and see us anytime."

"What about me?" Emma asked.

"Of course," Lizzy replied giving her a hug. "You know that the triplets adore you."

Emma grinned. "Love them too."

"We'd better go," Allison said. "We have to pick up your sister at Mia's."

"Sissy, Sissy, Sissy," Adam said, jumping around.

Allison picked him up. "And your Daddy is bringing home...pizza."

"YAY!" Adam shouted happily.

Lizzy helped Emma on with her coat. "It's cold out there."

"I don't like winter," Emma said. "I like summer."

"You and me both," Lizzy said smiling at her.

"Thanks again for watching them, Liz." Allison said. "I'll talk to you soon."

"I'll let you know how it goes," Lizzy told her.

Allison nodded. "Or I'm sure I'll hear it from Jon."

Lizzy showed them out and then headed upstairs to check on her children.

"Mummy," Casey said. "Help me!"

"What are you doing, love?" Lizzy asked.

Casey had been trying to change out of her princess dress and her arms were stuck.

Lizzy helped her out of the dress and then helped her into her pyjamas. "There. All better."

"Thanks," Casey grinned at her.

"Where's Noah and Aidan?" Lizzy asked.

"Don't know," Casey shrugged.

"It's awfully quiet," Lizzy said picking up Casey. "That's never a good sign."

"No," Casey said solemnly.

Lizzy carried Casey into the boys' room and gasped when she saw what her son was doing. "Aidan! Get down from there right now!"

"I'm tall!" Aidan said from the top of his bookcase.

"Aidan Luke Weasley," Lizzy said shaking her head. "What did I tell you about climbing up there?"

"It's okay," Aidan said.

"I never said that," Lizzy said. She set Casey down. "Come here to Mummy." She held out her arms.

"I can't get down," Aidan told her.

"I'm right here," Lizzy reassured him. "Just come down into my arms, Aidan."

"Do it," Noah said as he came into the room.

Aidan looked hesitantly at his mother before he held out his arms. Lizzy caught him and hugged him to her. "You scare me to death when you do that, Aidan."

"No more," Aidan buried his face in her shoulder.

"He was really high, Mummy," Casey said.

"I know," Lizzy said.

"Hello?" Josh called out from downstairs.

"Up here," Lizzy called.

Josh trudged upstairs and smiled when he saw his children. "Hi guys!"

"Daddy!" Casey charged towards him.

Josh scooped her up and gave her a hug. "Hi, baby girl."

"Aidan climbed up there," Casey pointed.

"Aidan," Josh said, levelling his gaze at his son.

Aidan buried his face in Lizzy's shoulder again.

"He's not going to do it again, right Aidan?" Lizzy asked, kissing the top of his head.

"No," Aidan promised. "Too scary."

"How was work?" Lizzy asked.

Josh shook his head. "Impossible."

"Come downstairs with me while I make dinner," Lizzy said. "We can talk about it." She set Aidan down. "You three play nicely and no climbing!"

"No climb," Aidan nodded.

Lizzy reached for Josh's hand. "That bad?" she asked when they were in the kitchen.

"Jon is completely impossible," Josh said. "He's got everyone there thinking I'M the bad guy on everything!"

"I'm sure that's not true," Lizzy said.

"Audrey almost quit today," Josh said. "Because he's told her that I wasn't sure she should be working there while dating RJ. That was a passing thought I had awhile back, and never pursued it. Then he convinces her to stay by telling her she'd never get sacked for a stupid reason like that."

Lizzy gaped at him. "You thought that she shouldn't work there because of RJ?"

"Conflict of interest," Josh said. "And I said, I NEVER acted on it."

"Josh," Lizzy said. "Jon shouldn't have told her that."

"Damn right he shouldn't have," Josh said. "And he second guesses everything I do. Any decision I make he wants to approve first."

"Aren't you guilty of that, too?" Lizzy asked gently.

Josh looked at her. "Liz--"

Lizzy squeezed his hand. "Tell me the truth. Look at it from your brother's side, Josh."

"I have," Josh insisted.

Lizzy raised an eyebrow.

"Most of the time," he muttered.

"He's been doing this a lot longer than you have," Lizzy pointed out. "And he made that place a success. Did you ever tell him how proud you were of what he'd done?"

Josh opened his mouth to say yes but snapped it shut.

"You are two different men, but you could try and meet in the middle," Lizzy said thoughtfully.

"He needs to give a little too," Josh said defensively.

"You both do," Lizzy said. "Look, you're brothers and despite how you'd like all of us to think otherwise, you do love each other. He'd do anything for you and I know you'd do the same for him."

"I guess," Josh sighed.

"You know that I'm always right," Lizzy teased, looping her arms around his neck.

Josh smiled grudgingly at her.

"Go and talk to him," Lizzy said. "Straighten this out."

"Right now?" Josh asked.

"The sooner the better," Lizzy said. "I can make dinner for the kids. I'll save you a plate.'

"I don't really want to," Josh said. "And I don't think he wants to see me."

"If not tonight, do it tomorrow at work," Lizzy said. "But you need to do it soon."

Josh nodded. "I will."

"That's the Josh I know and love," Lizzy said before kissing him.

"I'm hungry!" Noah's announcement broke them apart.

Lizzy laughed. "You are, are you?"

"Yes!" Noah nodded. "I want pizza too!"

"I guess this means I'm going out to pick up a pizza," Josh grinned.

"You don't have to," Lizzy said. "I was going to make grilled cheese."

"The masses have spoken," Josh said.

"All right," Lizzy said. "I suppose pizza would be good tonight."

"Yay!" Noah clapped.

"Go tell your brother and sister," Lizzy said.

"Okay, Mummy!" Noah exclaimed.

Josh chuckled as he watched his son dash out of the kitchen. "I won't be long."

"Thanks for doing this, Josh," Lizzy told him.

"No problem," Josh said. "Be back in a few."

Josh Apparated to just outside the small pizza place that was nearest to their house. He walked inside and stopped in his tracks when he saw a familiar redhead at the counter, placing an order.

"Can I get a separate order of breadsticks with tomato sauce?" Jon was asking the woman at the counter.

Josh closed his eyes for a moment. "Of all bloody pizza places..." he muttered to himself.

"That'll be about twenty minutes," the woman said.

"Okay," Jon said, turning around. He froze when he saw his twin near the door.

"Jon," Josh said tersely.

Jon gave his brother a brief nod. "Josh."

"Can I take your order, sir?" the woman behind the counter asked Josh. She looked at him in surprise. "Whoa! You blokes are twins?"

"Yeah," Josh said. "Um... can I get one medium with just cheese and a large with everything?"

"Sure thing," the woman replied. "It'll be about twenty minutes."

"Great," Josh said avoiding looking at his brother.

"Will you tell Lizzy thanks for watching Em and Adam?" Jon asked. "They---they really had a good time today."

Josh nodded. "I'm glad. I'll make sure and tell her when I get home."

An awkward silence followed before Jon finally spoke again. "Um---I was out of line today. When I told Audrey about what you had said about her dating RJ."

Josh looked at his brother in surprise. "What?"

"She'd asked why you were so angry at her most of the time and I let that slip out," Jon replied. "I shouldn't have and I'm sorry."

"I guess I've been a bit rough on everyone," Josh said. "I just wanted to prove I could help run the pub."

"You have had some good ideas," Jon replied. "But, your execution of those ideas---sometimes wasn't always the best."

Josh looked at him for a few moments. "I know I can get sort of overbearing sometimes."

"Sort of?" Jon asked.

"I may be overbearing, but sometimes I think you're just a bit too laid back," Josh said.

"I guess that's true," Jon admitted.

"So maybe we just need to start compromising more," Josh said. "No more decisions unless we both talk them over."

Jon smiled. "I think I can do that. Can you?"

"I'm going to try," Josh smiled back. "You might have to remind me once in awhile..."

"I can do that," Jon said. "But, there is one thing I can't budge on, Josh. Adam. It's important to Al and me that he's there. He isn't any trouble and no one seems to have a problem with it, but you.”

Josh nodded. "Okay. But let's keep him away from the stoves and the counters and things in the kitchen. I get worried he could hurt himself if Allie's cooking during a rush."

Jon thought about this. "So, that's why you've been so against it?"

"For the most part," he nodded. "And I guess... being at a law firm, it was always looked down on to have your kids there at work."

Jon nodded. "Well, we can keep Adam out of the kitchen. He likes the office anyway."

"Good," Josh said. "Would you believe it- we just compromised?"

Jon laughed. "We did, didn't we?"

"It's a nice feeling," Josh replied with a grin.

"It is," Jon agreed.

"I think we need to keep any arguments out of work, too," Josh said.

"Absolutely," Jon nodded.

"But we do need to keep an eye on people like Becca," Josh said. "We give her an inch and she takes a mile."

"She's improved some since the last time I spoke with her," Jon said in her defence. "But we do need to watch her."

Josh nodded. "I'll talk to Audrey tomorrow and apologise."

"She's one of our best waitresses, Josh," Jon said. "And she never lets RJ get in the way. When he's there, she never forgets that her customers come first."

"I know," Josh replied. "I see that."

"So," Jon said extending his hand. "We're okay?"

Josh nodded as he shook his brother's hand.

Jon smiled. "And since we're compromising, you can finally admit that I'm the more handsome of the two of us..."

Josh shook his head. "In your dreams."

"Come on, mate," Jon laughed.

"I can't lie to you now, can I?" Josh joked.

"As long as I know the truth that's all that matters," Jon agreed. His phone started to ring and he pulled the phone out of his pocket. "Hello? Em....yeah, sweetheart. I'm at the pizza place...yes; I did get your breadsticks."

Josh shook his head and grinned.

"Yes, with extra sauce," Jon said. "I'll be home soon, baby. Okay, love you."

"Never a moment when Em's not hungry," Josh said dryly.

Jon laughed. "No...she's just like me."

"Order for Weasley!" the woman at the counter called. "Um... that Weasley." she pointed to Jon.

Jon laughed and paid the woman for the order. "Thanks."

"Guess I'll see you tomorrow," Josh said.

Jon nodded. "Bright and early. A new start for both of us."

"Right," Josh nodded.

"I'm really glad we talked, Josh," Jon said sincerely.

"I am too," Josh replied. "It was awhile in coming."

"Too long," Jon said, picking up the pizza boxes. "No matter what, Josh, you're my brother and I love you."

"Same goes for me," Josh said. "You know if there's anything you need--"

Jon nodded. "I know and I feel the same way."

"Good," Josh said as the woman brought his order to the counter. "Better get this home before the kids eat the icebox."

Jon laughed. "Me too. Have a good night, Josh."

“You too mate,” Josh replied. “See you tomorrow.”

Jon made it back to the house a few minutes later and smiled when he saw his children. "You lot ready for some pizza?"

"I AM!" Emma shouted.

"Emma, you are always ready for any food," Caroline teased good-naturedly. "Daddy, she was about to ring you again before you walked in."

"Someone's just a little impatient," Allison said. "I thought I'd have to give her another time out."

"Bad Em," Adam said looking over at her.

"Dumb Adam," Emma replied.

"I can put BOTH of you in time out and Caroline, your dad and me will be the only ones who get to eat pizza," Allison warned.

"Noooo!" Emma wailed.

"Come on, we can all get along where food is concerned, right?" Jon asked, carrying the pizza boxes into the kitchen.

"I'll get the plates," Caroline said.

"Thanks Angel," Jon replied, setting the boxes on the table.

Allison put Adam in his high chair. "Juice, buddy?"

"Yes," Adam replied.

Allison smiled. "Coming right up."

"Can I have a Raspberry Fizzy?" Caroline asked as she quickly set the table.

"Me, too!" Emma chimed in.

"You can if we have any left," Allison said.

"I'll see, Em," Caroline told her.

Jon flipped open the boxes and inhaled. "I am starving."

"Me too," Emma said her eyes wide as her father placed a slice on her plate.

Jon looked at his wife as she gave Adam his juice and sat down. "I saw Josh at the pizza parlour.

Allison looked at him in surprise. "You did?"

"Yeah," Jon nodded. "We talked."

"Good talk or bad talk?" Allison asked.

"A good one," Jon replied. "Cleared the air quite a bit."

Allison smiled. "I'm glad, Jon."

"Me too," Jon replied as Caroline brought over drinks for herself and Emma.

"It was long overdue," Allison said thoughtfully.

"Yes it was," Jon said. "But needed."

Adam picked up a pepperoni and held it out for his father to see. "Daddy, look!"

"I know, buddy," Jon said. "It's good, isn't it?"

"Best pizza ever!" Emma declared before taking a bite.

"You say that every time," Jon joked.

"It keeps getting better!" Emma exclaimed grinning at him.

"I want one of those!" Adam pointed to the breadsticks.

Caroline picked one up and handed it to him. "They're my favourite, buddy."

"Don't eat all of them," Emma said.

Adam glared at her before taking a bite of the breadstick. "Yummy."

"I got enough for everyone," Jon assured Emma. "Don't worry."

"Good Daddy," Emma said.

"What else did you and Josh talk about?" Allison asked.

"What happened with Audrey," Jon said.

Allison nodded. "I hope he realises that her quitting would have been disastrous."

"I think he does," Jon said reaching for another slice. "He's going to try and be more laid-back and I'm going to try and be a little more serious."

"Well that sounds like quite the compromise," Allison teased gently.

Jon laughed. "Don't worry. I won't change TOO much. You love me when I'm a goofball."

"Yes I do," Allison said softly.

"You're not a goofball, Daddy," Caroline said loyally.

"I was, back in the day," Jon said.

Emma giggled. "I'm a goofball, too, Daddy."

"Yes, yes you are," Jon told her.

"Mean," Adam said.

"Adam," Allison said. "Be nice."

Caroline looked at her father. "Katie wrote me today, Daddy."

"She did?" Jon asked. "What did she have to say?"

"She's doing really well at school," Caroline said. "And she said that I should dress up as a Fern in Charlotte's Web. That way, Em, Adam and I would match."

Jon nodded. "Who was Fern, again?"

Emma rolled her eyes. "Daddy! She was Wilbur's friend and she helped keep him alive!"

"That was Charlotte, sweetheart," Allison replied. "Fern was his owner."

"Your brother still wants to dress up as a pig?" Jon asked.

"Oink," Adam said.

"I think that means yes," Allison said with a laugh. "And your Nana Molly is already working on a costume. I'm sure we can find something really nice for Caroline to wear as Fern."

"I can't WAIT for Halloween," Emma said happily. "LOTS of sweets!"

"Me too," Caroline agreed. "I just---I just wish Katie could be here, too."

"What would she be dressing up as, you think?" Jon asked her.

"I don't know," Caroline said thoughtfully. "But it'd be really beautiful."

"More pizza!" Emma lifted her plate.

Allison put another slice on her plate. "Here you are, love."

"Lots of pepperoni," Emma said.

"Of course," Allison smiled.

"Me too," Adam said.

Jon told Allison about the compromise he and Josh had made in regards to Adam. "You okay with that, Al?"

Allison nodded. "That sounds good to me."

"Adam's so lucky to stay with you guys all day," Emma said.

"I'm sure he thinks you're lucky to be learning things in school," Jon told her.

Adam shook his head. "Love Mummy and Daddy."

"We love you too, little guy," Allison said fondly.

Adam beamed at her.

"I don't like school," Emma pouted.

"Sweetheart," Allison said. "I thought you loved school."

"Not when I have to sit all day," Emma said.

"What would you rather be doing instead?" Jon asked.

"Playing," Emma said. "Or dancing!"

Caroline laughed. "Em, you can do that when we're in dance class, but school can be fun, too."

"Not for me," Emma said, grabbing two breadsticks.

"You're a free spirit, aren't you, Em?" Jon asked grinning at her.

"I think so..." Emma said cautiously.

"A free spirit who needs to pay attention in class," Allison said.

Emma made a face.

"Emma Madeline, your mum's right," Jon said.

Emma shrugged.

The family finished eating their dinner and Adam, Caroline and Emma settled into the sitting room to watch a movie. Jon helped his wife clean up the dishes. "Emma's doing okay in school, isn't she?" Jon asked.

"Her teacher is worried about her," Allison said. "Thinks she might have attention deficit disorder."

Jon shook his head. "I don't think she has that, Al."

"She recommended that we get her tested," Allison said. "I don't see what it could hurt."

"If you think we should, okay," Jon said.

"It could help her concentrate if she's treated for it," Allison said.

Jon nodded. "I guess this stuff with Josh has kept me preoccupied."

"Me too," Allison said.

"But, hopefully now, things will get better," Jon said coming up behind her and putting his arms on her waist.

Allison smiled. "I hope so too."

"You ready to tell me that you told me so?" Jon asked.

"Do I have to?" she turned to look at him.

Jon shook his head. "No, I knew you were right. I should have spoken to him long ago. I was just too stubborn."

"You both are," Allison told him.

"Something we have in common," Jon said with a grin.

Allison gave him a kiss. "I think if you two work together the pub will be an even bigger success."

Jon nodded. "And we have the best cook in the world working with us...."

She grinned. "Flatterer."

"I mean every word and you know it," Jon grinned back at her.

Allison gave him another kiss.

"Daddy, Mummy!" Caroline called out. "Come on! You're missing the movie!"

"We'll be in there in just a minute," Jon called back.

"I'm proud of you and Josh," Allison said. "You finally talked this out and maybe this will be the fresh start we all needed."

Jon nodded. "I hope so."

Allison gave him another kiss. "And you're not a goofball, Jon. You are great at what you do. You always have been."

"Thanks Al," Jon said. "I still need to hear that."

Allison hugged him tightly. "I love you."

"Love you too," Jon pressed his lips to her hair. "I always have."

"And always will?" Allison asked with a grin.

"You'd better believe it," Jon kissed her again.

Allison smiled. "I feel the same way. Now, let's go and watch that movie and not even think about work, okay?"

"I like that idea," he squeezed her hand and led her into the sitting room.

Allison and Jon settled down on the sofa and Adam crawled over and sat on his father's lap.

"Hiya buddy," Jon said.

Adam laughed. "Daddy."

"Are you tired?" Jon asked.

Adam shook his head. "Love, Daddy."

"I love you too buddy," Jon said. "Tomorrow at work we're going to put your play pen in the office."

"Kay," Adam said happily.

"And you, madam, will pay attention in class," Allison told Emma firmly.

"Mummy," Emma said pouting.

"And you will not misbehave at Aunt Lizzy's house like you did today," Allison said.

"It was Adam's fault!" Emma protested.

"MEAN EM!" Adam cast her an angry look.

"It doesn't matter whose fault it was," Jon said. "You're both going to behave and be nice to each other."

"Fine," Emma crossed her arms.

"Someday you and Adam might go into business together and you should remember this," Jon said to his children. He winked at Allison.

Emma cast her brother a dubious look. "Would he eat everything?"

Caroline giggled. "I think he'd be the one who'd have to worry about that with you, Emma."

Emma grinned.

Allison laughed. "You lot are too funny."

"Em should be a comedian," Caroline said.

"What's that?" Emma asked.

"Where you make people laugh," Caroline explained.

"Oh," Emma said. "I could do that!"

Caroline giggled. "Yes you could."

"I want to be a dancer and a com--com---what was it, Sissy?" Emma asked.

"Comedian," Caroline told her.

"Right," Emma said. "I'm gonna do both!"

"You can do anything you want if you put your mind to it," Allison told her.

"And pay attention," Caroline said.

Emma made a face and turned to watch the movie.

Caroline rested her head on her mother's shoulder.

"Did you get your homework finished at Mia's?" Allison asked her.

Caroline nodded. "Even my maths."

"Good girl," Allison said.

"Maths," Jon grimaced.

"You never were good at that," Allison said.

"Which is why Josh is doing the books," Jon grinned.

"He's quite good at that," Allison said. "He told me he found a few errors that should bring in a bit more money."

"Which is a good thing," Jon said.

"Exactly," Allison replied as she watched Adam blink his eyes closed.

"Sleepy?" Allison whispered.

"Sleepy," Adam mumbled.

"Come over here to Mummy," Allison said. "I'll put you to bed, buddy."

Adam reached for her. "Night, night." he said.

"Night, buddy," Jon said patting his back.

Allison knew it wouldn't be long before Emma nodded off as well. "Let's go get you in your pyjamas, Em."

"I'm not sleep---" Emma started to protest, but she yawned, which gave her away.

"Just to get your pyjamas on," Allison said. "You don't have to go to bed just yet."

"Okay," Emma relented.

Allison quickly put Adam to bed then went in to help Emma change.

"Hi, Mummy," Emma said.

"Hi sweetheart," Allison said. "Want any help?"

Emma put on her pyjama top and grinned. "All set!"

"That's my big girl," Allison said. "Come on, let's finish the movie."

Emma walked over to her mother and gave her a hug. "Love you the mostest, Mummy."

Allison hugged her daughter. "I love you too Em. You're my baby girl."

Emma beamed up at her.

"Even if you are a little squirrel," Allison said affectionately.

Emma giggled. "Mummy!"

"Come on," Allison picked her up.

Emma rested her head on her mother's shoulder.

Allison carried her back into the sitting room. "How's the movie?"

"Nearly finished," Caroline replied.

"It's an okay movie," Emma said.

"Your dad seems really into it," Allison mused. Jon was fast asleep.

Caroline giggled. "He had a long day, Mummy."

"Yes he did," Allison said smiling at her.

"Are he and Uncle Josh going to fight some more?" Caroline asked.

"I don't think so," Allison replied. "They had a nice talk.'

"Good," Caroline said. "I don't like to see Daddy get mad."

"Me either," Emma agreed.

"I'm sure it will be okay." Allison said.

"They're almost as bad as you and Adam, Em," Caroline teased.

"Are not," Emma denied.

"You are," Caroline nudged her. "You fight with Adam all the time because you think you should boss him around."

"But he's little," Emma replied.

"That doesn't mean you can always tell him what to do," Allison said putting her arm around Emma.

"I guess," Emma said.

"That's why he likes playing with Caroline more because she doesn't always boss him around," Allison pointed out.

Emma crossed her little arms and pouted.

Allison kissed the top of Emma's head. "Just try it, baby."

"Okay," Emma said with a grin for her mother.

"That's my girl," Allison said grinning back at her. She put her other arm around Caroline. "Both my girls."

"We love you Mummy," Caroline said.

"I love you too," Allison said softly. "My girls."

"What's going on?" Jon asked drowsily.

"Daddy!" Emma squealed pouncing on him.

"Ow," Jon said, laughing. "Em!"

"You took a little kip," Allison explained as Jon tickled Emma's side.

"I'm knackered," Jon admitted. "It was a long day."

"Bedtime," Allison said turning off the television.

Emma pouted. "But I want to finish the movie!"

"Tomorrow," Jon said. "You can watch it tomorrow morning during breakfast."

"Okay," Emma agreed.

Jon picked Emma up. "Come on, Madam."

Emma put her head on his shoulder. "Are you going to read us a story tonight?"

"I think that can be arranged," Jon said.

"YAY!" Emma shouted happily.

Allison stood up and took Caroline's hand.

"Okay," Jon said. "Let's stay quiet so we don't wake up Adam."

Emma nodded and put her arms around Jon's neck. "Okay, Daddy."

Jon kissed his youngest daughter's cheek and carried her into her bedroom.

"Think Em will stop bossing Adam around?" Caroline whispered to Allison.

"I doubt it," Allison said.

Caroline laughed. "Me too, Mummy."

"She'll grow out of this though," Allison said.

"You think?" Caroline asked.

"Absolutely," Allison said. "Go brush your teeth."

"Okay, Mummy," Caroline said before disappearing into the bathroom.

"You too, Em." Allison said.

"Okay, Mummy," Emma said running out of the room. Allison walked into Caroline and Emma's bedroom. Jon was picking a book from the bookshelf.

"I can read to them if you want to go to bed," she offered.

"I've got it," Jon said. "Besides, you were the one on your feet all day today, Al."

"I'm all right," Allison said.

Jon turned and smiled at her. "You're perfect."

Allison grinned at him. "And you're very charming."

"Me?" Jon asked innocently.

"Yes you," she said giving him a kiss.

"What a day," Jon commented.

"Yes it was," Allison nodded. "But tomorrow will be better."

"A new start," Jon agreed.

"Go on to bed," Allison took the book. "I'll be in soon."

Jon nodded. "Okay..."

Allison gave him another kiss. "I promise I won't be long."

"I'll be waiting," Jon grinned.

"Where's Daddy?" Emma asked when she and Caroline came into the bedroom a few minutes later.

"He's gone to bed," Allison replied. "So you lot are stuck with me."

"That's okay," Emma crawled into her bed.

Allison smiled. "Thanks."

It didn't take long for her daughters to fall asleep as Allison read from their book of fairy tales.

Allison kissed them both on the forehead before she turned out the lamp and left the room.

Jon was waiting for her when she returned to their bedroom.

"They asleep?" Jon asked.

"Very much so," Allison said.

Jon grinned. "They had a big day, too."

"We all did," Allison crept in next to him.

"I should have listened to you a long time ago when you told me to talk it out with Josh," Jon admitted.

"I do know best," Allison said lightly.

"Always," Jon said putting his arms around her.

Allison closed her eyes as he kissed the top of her head.

"I should listen to you more often," Jon said.

"Well now that you have, things should get better," Allison said. "From both you AND Josh."

"Thanks, Al," Jon said softly.

287. Chapter 287 Ellie

Authors’ note: Tonight marks the arrival of a certain someone!

Saffron felt a mixture of nerves and excitement as her due date arrived. Ellie had been quite active as of late and Saffron couldn't wait to hold her daughter in her arms for the first time.

Andrew had left for his match and Saffron was alone with Puddles. "Puddles, I can't see my feet anymore."

Puddles whined as Saffron rubbed her stomach.

"I'm hungry," Saffron said trying to get to her feet. "Mmmm...."

Puddles got to his feet and gave her a hopeful look.

"And I'll get you a treat, too," Saffron smiled as she finally managed to stand up. "Just you---oh...."

To her surprise, water trickled down her legs. "Oh my..." she said, her knees trembling.

Puddles whimpered and looked up at Saffron.

Saffron managed to stumble to the fireplace. "Mum!" she cried into the flames after throwing a pinch of powder into them. "Mum!"

"Saffy?" Hermione rushed into the sitting room. "Baby, what is it?"

"My water broke," Saffron pointed to the puddle on the floor.

"Your father and I will be right there," Hermione said. "Stay calm."

Saffron nodded as she took in a deep breath.

Hermione hurried upstairs to fetch Harry who had been taking a shower. "Harry!" Hermione exclaimed, flinging back the shower curtain.

Harry jumped, dropping the bar of soap in his hand. "Hermione!"

"Saffy's in labour!" Hermione shouted at him.

Harry gaped at her.

"For Merlin's sake, get out of there!" Hermione said throwing a towel at him.

Harry tried to say something but she pulled the curtain shut and ran out of the bathroom.

Hermione ran back downstairs and grabbed her bag before throwing some Floo powder in the fireplace.

Saffron was leaning against the fireplace and breathing in and out deeply.

"Everything's going to be okay, sweetheart," Hermione said. "Where's Andrew?"

"At his game," Saffron said. "I told him to go..."

"I'll ring Ethan," Hermione said. "Have him bring Andrew to the hospital. Your father will be here in just a minute."

"Okay," Saffron said as a wave of pain so immense washed over her that she sank to her knees.

"Saffy?" Hermione asked.

"It hurts," Saffron whimpered. "It hurts so bad..."

"Hermione?" Harry asked, having just appeared in front of the fireplace. "Saffy---?"

"It hurts," Saffron said, tears in her eyes.

"We need to get her to St. Mungos now," Hermione said.

"Right," Harry said. "Come on Saffy. We need to get you up."

Saffron put her arms around Harry's neck and he carefully lifted her.

"How do you do that?" Saffron asked him dazedly.

Harry smiled. "Remember what you told me when you were a little girl? I can do anything."

Saffron managed a tiny smile.

Hermione rang Ethan and told him to find Andrew at the Wimbourne pitch. "Hurry, Ethan."

"We'll be there soon as I can find him," Ethan said.

"Thanks," Hermione said, before ending the call. She looked at Harry and Saffron. "Let's go."

"OOOH!" Saffron moaned as another pain wracked her body.

Hermione grabbed Saffron's bag and the three of them set off for St. Mungos.

It didn't take them long to get Saffron checked into a private room. Already it seemed the media knew, as there were a few reporters camped out in the lobby.

"The nurse said Pansy would be in here soon," Hermione reassured Saffron.

"Good," Saffron's head fell back. "Where's Andrew?"

"He'll be here," Harry said.

"I need him," Saffron whined.

"He wouldn't miss this," Hermione said, squeezing Saffron's hand. "Just breathe, baby."

Saffron clenched her teeth together and breathed.

"That's it," Hermione said.

The match was already underway and Ethan was having a little trouble getting past security. "I need to see Andrew Kirke straightaway," Ethan told the guard. "Please---it's important."

"I need authorization," the guard replied.

Ethan pulled out his Auror badge. "How's this?"

"On what business are you here?" the guard asked.

Ethan sighed. "I need to see Andrew Kirke. He's my brother-in-law and my sister's gone into labour."

The guard looked suspiciously at him. "You're Saffron Potter's brother?"

Ethan rolled his eyes. "Yes."

The guard finally stepped aside and Ethan swept past him.

Ethan hurried down to the pitch and had to deal with another guard. Thankfully, this one was a little more lenient and he let Ethan through. Ethan approached the Wimbourne coach. "Sir, Andrew needs to come down. Saffy's in labour."

Andrew's coach frowned at him. "The match has just started--"

Ethan looked at him. "I don't know if you've ever met my sister...but if Andrew misses the birth of their first child, there's no telling what she'd do to you. I do know it wouldn't be pretty and you might not be able to walk for quite some time..."

The coach blanched. "I've met her..." he blew his whistle and motioned for a time out.

"Wise choice," Ethan said.

"Kirke," the coach said. "You're needed at the hospital."

Andrew noticed Ethan. "Saffy---she's----she's...."

"She's in labour," Ethan told him.

Andrew dropped his broom.

"Come on," Ethan gestured. "Her water broke and she's already at hospital."

Andrew nodded. He couldn't believe this was actually happening. "Right---"

"Way to go, Kirke," one of his team-mates slapped him on the back. "About to become a dad!"

Andrew grinned. "Yeah. I am."

"Andrew," Ethan said impatiently. "Come on!"

Andrew ran after him.

"How is she?" Andrew asked. "I mean... is she in a lot of pain? How long has she been in labour?"

"I don't know, mate," Ethan said. "Mum just rang me from your place. Said Saffy was in labour and they were taking her to St. Mungos."

Andrew nodded. "I wasn't even going to play today, but she insisted. I can't believe I wasn't there!"

"It's okay," Ethan said thinking of how he hadn't been there for Maddie when she'd given birth to Kiera. "You're not going to miss it."

Andrew realised he was shaking. "I'm terrified."

Ethan smiled. "Just keep thinking about that little girl you're going to meet."

Andrew nodded as they Apparated to St. Mungos and hurried up to Saffron's room.

Saffron was eating ice chips when Andrew and Ethan rushed into the room. "Andrew!"

"Saffy I'm so sorry I wasn't there," Andrew said in a rush. "I didn't want to go--"

"It's okay," Saffron reassured him. "I told you to go." She laughed. "You're still wearing your Quidditch robes!"

"Yeah Ethan came and got me from the game," Andrew replied. "We just started."

Hermione stood up and allowed Ethan to take her seat by Saffron's bed. "Pansy said she's doing well. It should be a few hours though before she delivers."

"A few hours?" Andrew asked. "We have to wait that long?"

"It's a lot of waiting," Harry told him.

Hermione and Saffron glared at him. "Oh, poor pitiful you," Hermione said rolling her eyes. "You blokes get the easy part in all this."

"Ethan," Harry said. "Want to head down to the cafeteria with me?" he was eager to escape the dirty looks his wife and daughter were sending his way.

"Sure," Ethan said with a grin. "Let's get you out of here before you're turned to stone, Dad."

"I'm staying," Andrew said, weaving his fingers with Saffron's.

Saffron smiled. "I'm glad."

Andrew tucked her hair back. "Can I get you anything?"

"I'm okay for now," Saffron said. "They gave me a little something for the pain."

"Good," he said squeezing her hand.

"I was just sitting with Puddles on the sofa," Saffron told him. "And I was going to get myself a snack and I stood up and my waters broke..."

"I'm sorry I wasn't there," Andrew said. "I know you told me to go to the match, but--

Saffron shook her head. "She's a week early, Andrew. You couldn't have known that. And I wanted you to play."

Andrew leaned in and gave her a kiss. "I don't care if she takes a week to come- I'm not leaving your side."

Saffron felt tears well up in her eyes. "Oh, Andrew..."

"I love you," he said softly.

"I love you too," Saffron said. "More than anything."

"And we're going to meet our daughter today," Andrew said.

Saffron smiled. "I can't wait to see her, Andrew."

"Me either," Andrew said. "I bet she looks just like you."

Saffron laughed. "I hope she doesn't have my hair. Poor thing."

"She'll be perfect no matter what," Andrew said.

"Yes, she will," Saffron said. She felt a slight pain as another contraction hit her. Thanks to the pain spell Pansy had cast, she only felt a slight bit of discomfort.

"So what are we going to do for a few hours?" Andrew asked.

Saffron shrugged. "I'm not sure. What do you want to do?"

"I don't know," he said sheepishly. "I guess I'm not that prepared for this."

"Our whole life is going to change," Saffron said softly. "In just a few hours."

"I know," he said. "We're going to be parents."

"We're going to be the coolest parents in the whole world," Saffron grinned.

Andrew laughed. "You think so?"

"Absolutely," Saffron laughed. "And when she starts dating..."

"She's not," Andrew replied.

Saffron nudged him. "Andrew, she's going to date."

Andrew just shook his head. "I'll be screening all those blokes."

"Will you now?" Saffron asked. She patted her stomach. "Poor Ellie. She's going to have you, my Dad and Ethan looking out for her. That poor bloke will never have a chance."

"Got to watch out for my girl," Andrew said.

Saffron's lower lip trembled. "Andrew, that's so sweet!"

"Come on Saf, don't cry," he said, wiping a tear away with his thumb.

"I can't help it," Saffron said. "She's your girl."

"You both are," he said.

Saffron gave him a kiss. "And we love you so much."

Andrew tucked her hair back. "I love you too, Saf. You and Ellie are everything to me now."

Saffron clasped his hand. "I've been waiting so long for this day and now I'm scared to death, Andrew."

"I'm scared too," he admitted.

"I want to protect her from everything," Saffron said softly.

"Me too," he agreed. "We won't always be able to, though."

Saffron nodded. "We'll do everything we can though."

"We'll do the best we can," Andrew told her. "How are you feeling?"

"I'm okay," Saffron replied. "Now that you're here."

"How's the pain?" he asked.

"Not too bad," Saffron said. "But I imagine that's going to change soon."

"The closer it gets together the sooner the birth will be, right?" he asked.

Saffron nodded. There was a knock on the door and Saffron smiled when she saw Julie. "Jules---what are you doing here? Shouldn't you be at Hogwarts?"

"I couldn't miss my baby sister giving birth," Julie said.

"Hi, Julie," Andrew said.

"Hi Andrew," Julie greeted her sister's fiancé.

"I'm just going to see if my parents have arrived yet," Andrew said giving Saffron's hand a squeeze. "I'll be right back. I promise."

"Okay," Saffron said. "Don’t' be long."

"I won't," Andrew said giving her a kiss before he left the room.

"So," Julie said taking a seat. "How are you holding up?"

"At first it hurt so badly," Saffron said. "But right now I'm all right."

"You gotta love those pain spells," Julie said with a grin.

"Oh absolutely," Saffron leaned back. "How are my nieces?"

"They're fine," Julie said. "They wanted to come with me, but I told them I'd let them know as soon as their cousin arrives."

"Katie's enjoying school?" Saffron asked.

"She's thriving in Slytherin," Julie said shaking her head.

Saffron bit her lower lip. "I hope it doesn't influence her."

"She's not even talking to her old friend Lindsey," Julie said.

"Really?" Saffron asked.

"Apparently, Lindsey thwarted this girl Jemima's plan to get back at another girl," Julie said.

"It all sounds so dramatic," Saffron replied.

"Oh, you wouldn't believe it," Julie said. "And the sad thing is, Katie's only 11. I can't imagine what this will be like when she's 16."

"I think we should all watch out," Saffron said, reaching for her ice chips.

"Don't tell Nick that," Julie laughed.

"He won't hear it from me," Saffron promised.

"Do you want me to get you some more ice chips?" Julie offered. "Or something to eat?"

Saffron shook her head. "I just want my daughter to be born."

Julie squeezed her hand. "You're going to be a great mum, Saffy."

"I hope so," Saffron said. "I'm scared I'm going to muck it up."

"I was worried about the same thing," Julie admitted.

"But you're a good mum," Saffron said. "You always have been."

"And you will be too," Julie said. "We had a great example of that growing up."

"I hope so," Saffron said, rubbing her stomach.

A few hours later, Saffron's contractions were closer together. She was only allowed two guests in the delivery room and she'd chosen Andrew and her mother. The pain lessening spell that Pansy had cast was starting to wear off and Saffron grimaced as another contraction hit her. "Mum---"

"Breathe through it, baby." Hermione coached.

Andrew wiped the sweat from Saffron's brow.

Saffron blew out a long breath through her lips.

"Okay," Pansy said coming into the room. "Let's see how things look..."

"Can you just knock me out?" Saffron pleaded. "And then wake me up when she's here?"

"You're going to be fine," Pansy told her. "It won't be long now."

"You don't want to miss this, sweetheart," Hermione said softly.

Saffron laid her head back. "Andrew," she said weakly.

"What do you need Saffron?" Andrew asked, dabbing her forehead with the cold rag.

"Don't leave me," she said. "Please..."

"I'm not going anywhere," Andrew said. "You know that."

"I just want this to be over with," Saffron moaned.

Saffron felt another sharp pain and looked over at her mother. "I--I can't believe....you did this...three times, Mum."

"It was worth it each time," Hermione told her, taking the rag from Andrew and wiping her forehead. "By the way, your father rang Alexa."

"He---he did?" Saffron asked weakly.

"And she says she's thinking of you and wants to hear from you as soon as possible," Hermione said.

Saffron nodded. She wished Alexa could be here, too.

Pansy sat down at the end of the bed. "Okay, Saffron. I'm going to need you to push. On the count of three...one...two...three..."

Andrew gripped Saffron's hand in his. "Squeeze as hard as you want, Saf."

Saffron squeezed his hand and pushed as hard as she could.

Pansy nodded. "Good one. Can you give me another?"

"I don't know," Saffron whimpered. "Yes..."

"I know you're exhausted, baby," Hermione said wiping Saffron's brow. "But you can do this."

Saffron nodded and clenched her teeth as she pushed again as hard as she could.

"I can see her head," Pansy announced.

Saffron's eyes filled with tears. "She's almost out?"

Andrew's own eyes were shining as he looked at Pansy.

Pansy smiled at them. "Nearly..."

Saffron geared herself up to push again.

"Push," Pansy said. "Hard as you can, Saffy."

Saffron gripped Andrew's hand in hers and pushed, a cry escaping her lips as she did so.

The sound of a baby's cry echoed in the room.

"Ellie," Saffron said weakly.

Andrew couldn't speak as he saw Pansy hand his daughter off to one of the nurses.

"Is---is she okay?" Saffron whispered hoarsely.

"She's perfectly fine," Pansy assured her. "We just have to clean the two of you up."

Saffron nodded and leaned her back against the pillow. She couldn't remember ever feeling this knackered before in her life.

"You did it Saf," Andrew said. "You did it."

Saffron smiled weakly. "Yes--"

Andrew gave her a kiss. "I love you so much."

"I love you, too," Saffron whispered.

Hermione wiped the tears from her eyes. "Saffy, I'm---I'm so proud of you."

"Thanks Mum," Saffron said as one of the nurses brought Ellie over to the bed.

"She's ready to meet her parents," the nurse said gingerly handing the baby to Saffron.

"She's beautiful," Saffron said, eagerly taking her daughter into her arms. "I can't believe how perfect she is!"

"She's gorgeous," Hermione whispered.

Andrew couldn't believe the sight in front of him. "She's really okay?" he couldn't help asking.

"Completely," Pansy announced.

Saffron looked down at her daughter. "Andrew, look at her little fingers!"

"Yeah," Andrew said with a huge grin.

"Welcome to the world, Elinore Kirke," Saffron said softly.

Hermione ducked outside unnoticed to tell Harry, Ethan and Julie the news.

"Do you want to hold her?" Saffron asked Andrew.

"Is it okay?" he asked.

Saffron smiled. "Of course it's okay."

Andrew carefully took Ellie into his arms. He couldn't stop staring at her.

Ellie smacked her lips and looked up at him with wide eyes.

"Hey there," he said softly.

Saffron felt fresh tears in her eyes as she watched him with their daughter.

"She's amazing," Andrew said, looking up at Saffron.

"She is," Saffron said. "She has your nose, you know."

"And your hair," he teased.

"I'm sorry, Ellie," Saffron joked.

"Here," Andrew passed her back to Saffron.

Saffron kissed her daughter's soft cheek. "I love you, Ellie."

Andrew smiled at the two of them. "We have a little family now," he said, sitting back down on the edge of the bed.

"We do," Saffron whispered.

Andrew kissed the side of Saffron's head as they both gazed down at their daughter.

Hermione popped her head back inside. "Pansy, would it be alright if Harry came inside?"

Pansy pretended to think this over. "Hmmm...."

"It's okay," Saffron said with a grin.

"Just for a few minutes," Pansy said.

Harry came in a moment later. "Hi baby," he said.

"Ellie," Saffron said. "That is your grandfather."

"She's gorgeous, Saffy." Harry said softly, looking with pride at his new granddaughter.

"Would you like to hold her, 'Grandpa'?" Saffron asked with a grin.

"Sure,” Harry replied, taking the little bundle into his arms.

Hermione smiled at her husband. "She looks just like Saffy."

"Yes she does," Harry said with a grin.

"She's got Andrew's nose," Saffron replied.

"And she is going to be the biggest Wimbourne fan the world has ever seen," Andrew said.

At this, Ellie let out a cry.

"I don't think so," Saffron shook her head.

"Ellie, you're breaking my heart," Andrew said.

"She's lived inside me for nine months and has eaten and breathed Puddlemere," Saffron said.

Harry laughed. "She makes a fair argument, Andrew."

"I have to try," Andrew said good-naturedly.

"She'll pull for you when you're not playing her mummy," Hermione said.

Harry nodded. "Absolutely."

Andrew's parents snuck in to see their first grandchild. After everyone had a chance to see the baby, the nurses took the baby to the nursery.

"Get some sleep, baby," Hermione said kissing Saffron's cheek.

Saffron nodded, her eyes already half shut.

"We love you," Harry said squeezing her hand.

"Love you too," Saffron murmured.

Andrew sat back down beside his fiancée. He reached for her hand.

"Don't leave," she said softly.

"They'd have to pry me away," Andrew said giving her a kiss.

"I don't want to sleep long," she said. "Just a little while. Then I want to go see Ellie again."

Andrew smiled. "You just want to fill her head with Puddlemere."

Saffron shook her head. "She already knows who she's pulling for."

"She's absolutely perfect," Andrew said softly. "Ten little fingers and ten toes...brown hair...."

"Perfect," Saffron said, her eyes drooping shut.

While Saffron slept, Ethan and Maddie were getting their first look at their new niece. In her little incubator, Ellie Kirke was sleeping soundly.

"She's so sweet," Maddie breathed, her hand on her own round stomach.

"She'll have a little playmate in a few weeks," Ethan said.

Maddie nodded. "If all goes to plan."

"I know it will," Ethan said.

"Mr. Potter?" the nurse asked. "Would you and Mrs. Potter like to come inside the nursery? You can hold your niece if you'd like."

"Go on ahead," Andrew said, coming up behind them. "Saffron's going to be asleep for a little while yet."

Maddie grinned. "Thanks, Andrew."

Ethan grinned as the nurse placed Ellie into his arms.

"Hi, Little Brat," Ethan said affectionately.

"Ethan," Maddie chastised.

"Don't you listen to a word your mum says about me," Ethan said looking down at Kiera.

"Because it's all true, baby girl," Andrew gazed proudly at his daughter.

Ethan laughed. "Don't listen to him, either, Ellie."

Maddie looked over Ethan's shoulder at the newborn. "You know, I think your Gran would have been so proud to see her name passed on to her great-granddaughter."

"She would have loved it," Ethan agreed.

"How does it feel to be a dad?" Maddie asked Andrew.

"So far so good," Andrew replied.

"We should go and pick up Kiera," Maddie said. She could tell Andrew wanted to be alone with his daughter. "Tell Saffy we'll be back later."

"I will," Andrew carefully took Ellie into his arms.

When he was alone, Andrew sat down with his daughter in the rocking chair. Ellie looked up at him and smacked her small lips.

"Hi baby girl," he whispered. "I'm your dad."

Ellie gave him a little smile.

Andrew grinned back at her. "I've been looking forward to meeting you for months.

"Your mum is sleeping right now, but she's going to come and see you when she wakes up," Andrew said softly.

Ellie let out a soft coo and closed her eyes.

Andrew had thought many times over these last few months about what it would be like to hold his daughter in his arms, but those thoughts paled in comparison to the real thing. She was so tiny, so fragile and he was filled with so much love for this sweet little baby.

"Mr. Kirke?" the nurse said. "We need to put her back until it's time for her to be fed."

Andrew nodded. "Sweet dreams, baby girl." He decided to go back and sit with Saffron while she slept.

Saffron was still fast asleep. Andrew yawned as he sat down. He was knackered, too.

He pulled the chair over next to her bed and reached for her hand.

She was smiling as she slept and Andrew wondered what she was dreaming about.

"Long as you're happy," he said quietly, gazing at her. Andrew leaned in and kissed her forehead.

"Baby's here," Saffron murmured in her sleep.

Andrew chuckled. "Yes, she is."

"Ellie," Saffron said, turning on her side.

"She's fine," Andrew said softly. "I just saw her, Saffy. Absolutely perfect."

"Hmmm..." Saffron said, still sound asleep.

Andrew closed his eyes and reflected on everything that had happened that day.

He couldn't believe Ellie was here. He and Saffron were now responsible for another life- a tiny little person that was going to depend on them for everything.

Saffron and Andrew slept for a couple of hours. Saffron awoke eager to see her baby daughter.

"Andrew," she said, poking his shoulder.

"Hmm?" he asked sleepily.

"Hey," she said softly.

Andrew's eyes blinked open. "Saffy---what---what time is it?"

"I don't know," Saffron said. "I just woke up..."

"How are you feeling?" Andrew asked stretching in the uncomfortable chair.

"Good," Saffron said. "Lighter..." she added jokingly.

Andrew laughed. "I can imagine. You--you want to go and see her?"

"Oh yes," Saffron reached for her robe.

"Easy," Andrew said taking it from her.

"I'm okay," Saffron assured him.

Andrew helped her into the robe and together they set off for the nursery.

Saffron leaned against him as they went down the corridor. "Where's everyone?"

"Maddie and Ethan went to the Burrow to pick up Kiera," Andrew replied. "Your parents were going to come back later and Julie had to go back to Hogwarts. My parents will be back, too."

"Good," Saffron said as they came to the nursery.

The nurse on duty waved them inside. "Miss Potter, you are just in time. Your little one is wide awake."

Saffron grinned excitedly.

"Have a seat and I'll bring her to you," the nurse said.

"I bet she's hungry," Saffron carefully took Ellie into her arms.

Andrew grinned as he looked down at their daughter. "Hi, Ellie."

"Hello gorgeous," Saffron said softly, touching her daughter's smooth cheek.

Ellie stared wide-eyed up at her.

"She's got your eyes," Saffron commented.

"She does, doesn't she?" Andrew asked softly.

Saffron was taught how to nurse and before long, she was feeding Ellie for the first time. "This is incredible," she said.

Andrew sat down beside her. "This is surreal. Last night, it was just you and me…and now, we're here."

"I know," Saffron agreed. "Everything's changed."

"Everything," Andrew said smiling at her.

Saffron watched as Ellie fed contentedly. "She's already such a good baby."

"Well," Andrew grinned. "She's our girl."

"If that's the case, and she takes after me, we're in for a ride," Saffron grinned ruefully.

"Uh oh," Andrew said shaking his head.

Saffron lifted Ellie as she finished eating. "Or perhaps she'll be more easygoing like you."

"Or maybe she'll have the best of both of us," Andrew said thoughtfully.

"There we go," Saffron gently patted Ellie's back.

"Well, there you two are!" a familiar voice said from the doorway to the nursery. "Lexie and I have been looking all over the place for you!"

"RJ!" Saffron exclaimed.

Alexa stepped out from behind him. "And me."

"Lexie," Saffron's eyes filled up with unexpected tears at the sight of her best friend.

"Oh, would you look at her!" Alexa exclaimed. "Saffy---"

Saffron grinned. "Would you like to hold her?"

Alexa nodded eagerly.

Saffron stood up and Alexa took her seat. Saffron carefully handed Ellie over to her best friend.

"Ellie Kirke," Alexa whispered.

"Way to go mate," RJ clapped Andrew on the back.

"Thanks," Andrew grinned. "I'm really glad you two made it."

"We wouldn't have missed it," RJ told him. "I'm really happy for both of you."

"I just fed her for the first time," Saffron told Alexa. "It was amazing, Lex."

"I can imagine," Alexa said, hardly tearing her eyes away from the infant in her arms.

"She has Andrew's eyes and nose," Saffron said. "And my mouth and hair, don't you think?"

"If she has your mouth we're all in trouble," RJ joked.

Saffron glared at him. "RJ Weasley..."

"Just kidding," RJ held up his hands.

"Godfather," Alexa said. "Would you like to hold her?"

"Sure," RJ nodded. "I'd love to."

Alexa stood up and gingerly handed the baby to him.

RJ grinned at the infant. "Hey there."

Ellie looked up at him and cooed.

"She loves me," RJ said. "Of course..."

Alexa laughed. "She's just reeling you in, RJ."

"That's my girl," Andrew said proudly.

Saffron yawned and leaned against Andrew. He put his arm around her. "This is my other girl."

Alexa smiled at the two of them. "You two are bound to be tired, Mum and Dad."

Saffron nodded sleepily. "You have no idea."

"We won't keep you," RJ said, handing Ellie to Andrew.

Saffron looked at Alexa. "You're going to stay, right? For a couple of days at least?"

Alexa nodded. "Thankfully it's the weekend. I told Carmen I was staying with Gabe for a few days so she won't try ringing me."

Saffron grinned. "I'm so glad. I want her first days to be filled surrounded by everyone that loves her."

"I definitely do," Alexa hugged her tightly. "I'm so happy for you, Saffy."

"I have everything I ever wanted," Saffron said looking at Andrew.

Andrew grinned at her. "And it's not going anywhere."

Saffron grinned back at him.

"I'll talk to you tomorrow," Alexa promised.

"I'm so glad you both were here," Saffron said giving RJ a hug.

"Wouldn't have missed it," RJ said.

Saffron smiled at him. "Good night, RJ."

"See you later, Pepper," RJ said.

Saffron swatted at him. She watched as Alexa and RJ left the room before turning back to Andrew and Ellie. "Is she sleeping?" Saffron asked softly.

Andrew nodded. "Out like a light."

Saffron smiled. "We should let her sleep."

Andrew nodded, a bit reluctantly. "I know you're tired too."

Saffron nodded. "But, it was all worth it."

"Absolutely," Andrew agreed, pressing a soft kiss to Ellie's forehead.

"Sleep well, my little one," Saffron whispered. "I'll be back in just a little while. I promise."

Andrew set her back in the incubator and took Saffron's hand.

The new parents looked at their daughter for a few moments.

"Everything's going to go right for her," Saffron said.

Andrew nodded. "Yes, it will.'

"None of this drama we've gone through," Saffron continued/

"We've had enough of that to last a lifetime," Andrew said.

Saffron nodded. "Quite so," she said as they left the nursery.

Andrew squeezed her hand. "And we managed to get through the labour without you threatening to kill me or telling me I was never to touch you ever again.'

"I could never say that and mean it," Saffron replied.

Andrew smiled. "I am pretty irresistible."

"Completely irresistible," Saffron corrected.

Andrew helped Saffron back into her bed and then he slid in beside her.

"Staying here, Mr. Kirke?" Saffron asked.

"If you'll let me," Andrew replied.

"I wouldn't want you anywhere else," Saffron snuggled against him.

"Then, you are stuck with me, Saffron Grace," Andrew said softly.

"Always and forever, right?" she asked, closing her eyes.

"Always," Andrew promised.

"I can't wait to bring her home," Saffron murmured.

"Me too," Andrew agreed.

"It's going to be so great," Saffron said with a little sigh.

"It will be," Andrew agreed. "She's going to love her nursery."

"Oh yes," Saffron said, her eyes still closed.

"I love you," Andrew said kissing her forehead.

"I love you too," Saffron cracked her eyes open.

"What?" Andrew asked.

"I love..." Saffron yawned. "You too..."

Andrew laughed. "Get some sleep."

"I'm trying," Saffron said.

Andrew closed his eyes. "We'll see her soon."

Saffron didn't answer him this time.

Andrew peered at her and saw that she was asleep. It had been a long, wonderful day. Their new life was just beginning.

288. Chapter 288 Christmas Plans

Authors’ note: This is a bit of short chapter and has Liam/Darla/Hans and a small bit of the Hogwarts crew. Enjoy!

Technically Darla wasn't a single mom, but she certainly felt like one. Hans, while trying to remain a part of Rafe's life, was barely around as he'd started several new campaigns and was busy travelling.

Darla dressed her son in a warm outfit and smiled down at him. "We're going to go for a nice walk in the park with Liam, Rafe."

Rafe waved his little arms at her.

Darla laughed. She couldn't wait to take her son for a walk and to see Liam. He was supposed to have visited them last night for dinner, but he had a medical emergency.

"All right," she said, carefully putting him into his pram. "Safe and sound."

Darla grabbed her cloak, gloves and bag. "Off we go, then."

She hoped Liam wouldn't have to duck out on them today, but she understood that his practice had to come first.

The Halloween costume party had been such fun. Darla couldn't remember the last time she'd had such fun. She hadn't danced in ages and it felt good to just be out and have a good time.

And in such a casual setting, she'd gotten to know Liam much better than she ever had. He'd loosened up quite a bit and she'd enjoyed every moment they had spent together.

Rafe cooed happily from the pram.

"I know you love it outside," Darla leaned over and grinned at him.

When she looked up she saw Liam approaching and she couldn't hide her smile. He was carrying two cups of hot chocolate and a bag of pastries.

"Hi there," he said with a grin.

"You did make it," Darla grinned back at him.

"Wouldn't have missed it," he said, handing her one of the cups.

"Thank you," Darla said taking it. "So, how was your emergency?"

"It turned out fine," Liam replied. "A patient with the Wizarding Flu. I made her a potion and she was on her way."

"Well, you missed out on quite a dinner," Darla said. "Rafe had oatmeal and I had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich."

"That does sound delicious," he said dryly.

Darla pushed the pram over to one of the benches and she and Liam sat down. He opened up the bag. "Chocolate muffin?"

"Sure," Darla said, turning the pram so she could watch her son.

"Hiya, Rafe," Liam said peering inside the pram.

Darla wasn't certain but it seemed that Rafe recognised him.

"He loves that new seat you gave him," Darla said. "I sat him in it last night and he was just content the whole night."

"I'm glad," Liam said. "One of my patients has a baby who loves his."

Darla took a sip of her hot chocolate. "Mmmmm...."

"It does hit home on a day like this," Liam agreed. "I heard it's supposed to snow later."

Darla grinned. "Really?"

"A lot of snow," Liam nodded.

"I love snow," Darla said. "I always have."

"I'm not overly fond of it," he said. "I do prefer warmer weather."

Darla laughed. "Well, you picked the wrong country to live in, Mr. Thornhart."

"I know," he said ruefully. "But we don't get the snow THAT often..."

"Which is why it's such a treat when we do," Darla said. "I remember when I was a kid having snowball fights with my brothers and sisters. It was so much fun."

"I suppose," he said, drinking his hot chocolate. "Maybe I'll learn to enjoy it."

"Well, if it does snow," Darla grinned. "I'm going to take you on in a snowball fight and I bet I beat your Irish bum at it, too."

Liam laughed. "All right, Weasley."

"I can be very sneaky as you have found out," Darla said grinning wickedly at him.

"Tell me something I don't know," Liam said, leaning back on the bench and extending his arm along the top.

Darla looked at him. "So, Christmas is coming up soon..."

"Yes it is," Liam said. "I have to get started on my shopping."

"Me too," Darla said.

"You have an excuse," Liam said, looking at Rafe. "I'm just being lazy."

"You're just being a typical bloke," Darla said. "Always waiting until the last minute..."

"We always find the best gifts at the last minute," Liam said with a grin.

"You sound just like my dad," Darla said shaking her head. "He always waits until Christmas Eve to do his shopping. Last year, he gave my mum a 'wand warmer' for Christmas. It's just this sleeve of cotton that goes over your wand."

Liam began to laugh. "I got one of those for my mum last year."

"Liam!" Darla exclaimed. "You didn't!"

"It wasn't the only thing I got her," Liam said. "But she liked it... or she said she did."

Darla reached for his hand. "I imagine she was happy because you were home for a visit." She knew how hard it was for him to talk about his family situation.

"Yeah... that was pretty much the last time I was there," Liam said. "Probably time for me to go again."

"Do you want to go?" Darla asked softly.

"Not really," Liam said. "But it'll only be for an afternoon."

"Well, if you're not doing anything Christmas night, you're more than welcome to join Rafe and me at the Burrow," Darla said. "We'd love to have you and Nana loves nothing more than another mouth to feed."

"I may take you up on that," he said. "Thanks, Darla."

Darla smiled. "Of course. "

"So Rafe's first Christmas..." Liam said. "Is he getting spoiled?"

Darla laughed. "Oh, you know it. I know he won't remember any of it..."

"Give him a few years and he'll be flying to unwrap all those gifts," Liam said.

"Chloe's promised to help him this year," Darla said.

Liam laughed. "Of course."

"He's asleep," Darla said looking into the pram.

"Is he sleeping through the night yet?" he asked her.

Darla nodded. "Which I love."

"Good," he nodded.

"He's a great baby," Darla said.

"He is," Liam agreed. "I think I've spent enough time around him to know."

"You have," Darla said turning to look at him. "You're great with him."

"I do love kids," he admitted.

"A good thing since you see them everyday," Darla joked.

He grinned. "We just got a rush of new patients too."

"You did?" Darla asked. "That's good---I mean, not good that kids are sick...but good for your practise!"

"It's really flourishing," Liam said. "Liz and I were talking about adding on another healer."

"Oh yeah?" Darla asked before reaching for another muffin.

"It's quite possible," he nodded.

"I think that's a great idea," Darla said. "It would give you both a little more breathing room."

"And I can have some time to spend with my friends," he said meaningfully.

"Like that annoying redhead and her fabulous baby?" Darla asked.

"Oh she's not annoying," Liam played along. "But her baby is definitely fabulous."

Darla laughed. "She can be annoying. Merlin, remember my first week at home with Rafe? I must have owled you a thousand times to check on every little thing."

"You're a first time mum," Liam said. "It's understandable. And I didn't mind one bit."

Darla smiled. "Thanks for everything, Liam. I really mean it."

He smiled back at her. "You've become a good friend to me."

Darla rested her head on his shoulder. "I feel the same way."

Liam was quite aware of her nearness, but he didn't say anything. It felt comfortable having her sit so closely.

"This is nice," Darla said softly.

"Very," he agreed.

"Almost as good as seeing you do that ...dance you did at the costume party," Darla giggled. "What was it you called it again?"

"The stoop and scoop?" he asked sheepishly.

Darla laughed. "I can't remember the last time I laughed that hard."

He grinned. "Glad I can still make someone laugh."

"You definitely did that night," Darla said. "Come on, let's push Rafe in his pram. Even if he's asleep, he loves it."

"Great," he said, missing her nearness as soon as she pulled away.

Darla picked up their cups and the empty bag and tossed them in the rubbish bin. "Okay. Let's roll."

Liam looked down at the baby in the pram as they walked.

"So how is your family doing?" Liam asked conversationally.

"Everyone's good," Darla said. "Jon and Josh finally seem to have gotten it together."

Liam smiled. He knew that Darla had hated the idea of her brothers not getting along. "And your mum and dad?"

"They're great," Darla nodded.

"And I imagine they're enjoying spoiling their newest grandson," Liam said nudging her.

"Absolutely," Darla peeked at her son, who remained asleep.

A few snowflakes started to fall and Darla turned and looked at Liam. "Look!"

"Hey," he said with a grin. "I was right!"

"It's beautiful!" Darla said grinning back at him.

"Yes it is," he said, gazing at her.

"We'd better get Rafe back home," Darla said.

"Probably a good idea," he said.

Darla smiled and talked excitedly to Liam as they made their way back to her house. The smile on her face fell when she saw who was waiting on the front steps. "Hans---what are you doing here?"

"I thought I'd told you I was going to be by," Hans replied.

"I think I would have remembered that," Darla said.

"Maybe I told Freddy to call," Hans shrugged.

"Liam, can you help me with the pram?" Darla asked.

"Of course," he said, trying not to look at Hans who was glaring at him.

Darla and Liam lifted the pram up onto the porch. Darla opened the door and she stood back to allow Hans to enter. "Rafe's sleeping."

"Oh," Hans replied.

Liam closed the door behind him. "How are you, Hans?"

"Fine," Hans gave him a cursory glance.

"You're quite tan," Darla commented.

"I've been in Fiji on a shoot," Hans explained. "Lots of time on the beach."

Darla resisted the urge to roll her eyes. She gingerly lifted Rafe out of his pram and the infant let out a little cry.

"Shhh..." Darla said soothingly.

"Hiya, buddy," Hans said grinning at his son. "It's me...your Dad."

Rafe blinked at him and his face scrunched up.

"Can I hold him?" Hans asked.

"As long as he's not crying," Darla said,

"He's not," Hans said reaching for his son. "Hi, big guy."

Rafe opened his mouth and let out a loud cry.

Hans grimaced. "Rafe, come on, mate. It's me."

"He's probably hungry," Darla said.

"Can I feed him?" Hans asked.

"Sure..." Darla said. "Um... you know where the formula is."

Hans grinned and carried his son into the kitchen. Liam looked at Darla. "You okay?"

"I didn't expect him to be here today," Darla said.

Liam squeezed her shoulder. "Do you want me to go?"

"No," Darla said truthfully.

"Let me just check in with the office real quick," Liam said. "Can I use your fireplace?"

"Of course," Darla replied.

Liam smiled. "I'll be right back."

Darla went into the kitchen where Hans had successfully found a bottle. "How's he doing?"

"Great," Hans replied. "He was hungry."

"I figured as much," Darla smiled at her son.

"That bloke leave?" Hans asked.

"Liam," Darla said. "Is in the sitting room. He's my friend and he'll be sticking around."

Hans looked like he wanted to say something else about that, but thought better of it. "Merlin, Dar. He's getting so big."

"Yes he is," Darla stroked Liam's soft hair back.

"You are going to love New York during Christmas," Hans said looking at his son. "My mum and dad are flying in and they can't wait to see---"

"Wait just a minute," Darla said. "I never said anything about going to New York for Christmas."

"I think it's only fair," Hans said. "You have him all the time, Darla."

"Only because you're travelling all over the place!" Darla exclaimed.

"I want him with me for Christmas," Hans retorted. "It's his first Christmas---"

"And he should be with his mother," Darla snapped. "Well really, he should be with BOTH parents, but you're too busy gallivanting--"

"What's that supposed to mean?" Hans asked angrily.

"It means you're never here," Darla said hotly. "You show up when you want, you never call, you never--"

"I'm working, Darla!" Hans shouted. He dropped the bottle and Rafe started to wail.

Darla took her son from Hans. "I think you should leave."

"Is everything alright?" Liam asked from the doorway.

"No," Darla glared at her husband.

"If you're arguing about the holiday," Liam started to say.

"It's none of your business," Hans said to him.

Darla patted Rafe's back soothingly. "It's okay, Rafe. It's okay."

"This doesn't concern you at all," Hans told Liam. "In fact--"

"Quit it," Darla said to Hans. "Look, this isn't what either of us need. Hans---this is Rafe's first Christmas and I want him to spend it here. You---you're more than welcome to join us at the Burrow with your parents, but there's no way I'm letting my son leave the country."

"He's my son too," Hans said. "I have every right to him."

"Yes, you do," Darla said. "But, I'm asking you to please compromise here."

"As a healer, I would strongly advise against taking him away for the first few months after his birth," Liam offered quietly.

"I am still nursing him," Darla pointed out.

Hans glared at both of them.

"Hans, we can both share his first Christmas," Darla said. "And I know---I know how important he is to your family, too."

"How the hell are we supposed to do that when I'm in New York and you're here?" Hans snapped.

"You and your parents could come to the Burrow on Christmas Day," Darla replied.

"I don't think so," Hans shook his head.

"Why not?" Darla asked him.

"We weren't invited," he pointed out.

Darla rolled her eyes. "For Merlin's sake, Hans. I just invited you."

"It's just not going to work," Hans told her.

"Why not?" Darla asked incredulously. "You know that my parents have always gotten along well with yours..."

"None of your family likes me," Hans told her.

"That's not true," Darla argued.

"Yes it is," he said.

"Can't you get over yourself for one day and think about your son?" Darla asked. "You'll be there to visit with your son. I'll make sure everyone's on their best behaviour."

"I don't know," Hans said.

Darla sighed.

"It's too late for a lot of this," he said.

"Look, I'll let you have him for Christmas Eve," Darla finally relented. "But I get him for Christmas Day. Next year, we can change. Take it or leave it, Hans."

Hans didn't look pleased, but he agreed.

"And I want your word that he's not going to be sitting in a crib while you're off at some party," Darla said.

"I'd be there with him," Hans said defensively.

Liam could tell how hard this was for Darla and he could see she was staving off the tears. The idea of being without her son for even a day was torture for her.

"I'll come get him that morning and bring him back in the evening," Hans was saying.

Darla nodded. "Okay."

Hans looked at his son, who was content in Darla's arms. "I guess... I guess this wasn't the best time for a visit..."

"You just took us by surprise is all," Darla said. She looked at him. "You can put him down if you'd like."

"Okay," Hans agreed, taking his son back into his arms.

Darla watched as Hans carried him out of the kitchen. She bent down to clean up the mess from the spilled bottle, but Liam put his hand on her shoulder. "You okay?"

Darla shook her head. "Why does he always do this to me?"

"I don't know," Liam said quietly. "Come here."

Darla let Liam hug her closely and she brushed a few tears away.

"I know that wasn't easy for you," Liam said softly.

"He always seems to just assume I'm going to let him take Rafe here or there without even asking first," Darla said.

Liam wanted to second that thought, but Darla didn't need him egging her on. She needed his support and his friendship and he would gladly give that to her.

He rubbed her back for a moment before she pulled away to finish cleaning up the mess.

Liam looked out the window. "Darla, look at this---"

"What?" she asked, joining him.

"The snow," Liam said. "It's really coming down now."

"Oh my," Darla said. "You were right."

In the nursery, Hans was looking down at his son. "I'm sorry about today, Rafe. I always seem to screw things up where you're concerned."

Rafe looked up at him and yawned.

Hans smiled ruefully. "You understand this about as much as I do."

He carefully laid his son in the crib and watched for a few minutes as Rafe fell asleep.

"I'll see you soon," Hans promised. "I love you."

He headed back to the kitchen and his throat tightened when he saw Darla and Liam standing closely together at the window.

"It's so pretty," Darla was saying.

"Yes it is," Liam agreed softly.

Hans cleared his throat.

Darla turned to look at her husband. “Is Rafe asleep?”

Hans nodded. "Yeah."

"Good," Darla said glancing between him and Liam.

Hans looked at Liam. "You seem to always be here."

"He's my friend," Darla cut in.

"Friend," Hans muttered. "Right. Look, I'm out of here..."

"As usual," Darla muttered.

Hans ignored the comment and stalked out of the house.

Darla sighed. "I'm so sorry, Liam. Some days when he comes over he's like he used to be, but most of the time he's like this."

"You have nothing to apologise for," Liam told her.

"I feel like I do," Darla replied.

Liam shook his head. "No, you don't. You're not responsible for him or how he acts, Darla."

"Thanks," she said quietly.

Liam shrugged. "No problem."

"How about some coffee?" she asked.

"I'd love some," Liam replied.

Darla smiled and went over to her coffeepot to make some.

"So," Darla said eager for a change in conversation. "What do you think you'll get your mum for Christmas?"

"Aside from the wand warmer you mean?" he asked ruefully.

"Yes," Darla replied with a grin. "If you're having trouble, you should think about going to the Magic Menagerie. They have these really nice music boxes. You mentioned how much your mum loves classical music."

"That's a good idea," he nodded. "Thank you."

Darla smiled. "What about your brother?"

"We don't get gifts for each other," Liam explained.

"You're lucky," Darla said grinning at him. "I have to buy for Josh, Jon, Maddie, Drew, RJ, Chloe, Noah, Aidan, Casey, Emma, Adam, Caroline. Audrey, Lizzy, Allison, Ethan, Kiera..."

"And the list goes on," Liam joked. "I hope you've started."

"I've picked up a few things here and there," Darla replied setting a cup of coffee in front of him. "But I'm nowhere near finished."

"Maybe we should help each other out," he suggested.

"Go shopping together?" Darla asked.

"Sure," he said.

Darla nodded. "That'd be great. If you can squeeze me in, busy healer."

"I'll find time," he said, taking her coffee cup.

"I'll make you carry all my bags," Darla joked.

"I'm a gentleman," Liam said with a grin. "I'd do that anyway."

"I'm going to hold you to that, Thornhart," Darla said, playfully hitting him on the arm.

He laughed. "Perhaps next week would be good."

"That's perfect," Darla said. "I can have my mum watch Rafe."

"Sure," Liam nodded. "That sounds good."

"And this time, I'm paying for dinner," Darla said. "I mean it..."

"I don't mind--" he began.

"You've paid for the last three dinners," Darla reminded him. "This time, it's my turn."

"Agreed," he nodded.

"We'll have fun," Darla said smiling at him.

"Absolutely," Liam agreed.

Darla momentarily forgot about the drama with Hans. Liam always had a habit of doing that---making her forget her troubles. He really was such a great friend.

Rafe's cries made them both turn away. "I better go get him," Darla said.

"I should go," Liam said.

"You don't have to," she shook her head.

"I need to check in at the office anyway," Liam said standing up.

"Okay," Darla said. "Thank you for going with me today. And for sticking around after Hans..."

"Of course," Liam said.

"I'll talk to you later," Darla smiled at him.

Liam kissed her cheek. "Bye, Darla."

"Bye," she said softly. She waited until he was gone before touching her cheek.

Rafe's cries interrupted her thoughts and she walked quickly to the nursery.

"Hello my love," she said, picking her son up. "Smells like you left me a nice surprise..."

The look on his face made her heart melt. "You've been studying with your Aunt Maddie, haven't you?"

Rafe stopped crying and looked up at her as she changed his nappy.

"We had fun today, didn't we?" Darla asked him.

Rafe cooed at her.

"Until your dad showed up," Darla said picking him up and hugging him to her. "I know he loves you, Rafe. But, still..."

"Ooooh," Rafe said, grabbing for a lock of her long hair.

Darla laughed. "What are you doing, buddy?"

Her son smiled at her.

"You're the most important person in the world to me," Darla said kissing his cheek.

Rafe cooed again as she carried him downstairs.

Darla carried him over to the window. "Look at all that snow, Rafe!"

Her son gazed outside and lifted his little hand.

"Pretty cool, eh?" Darla asked smiling at him.

She carried him into the sitting room and sat down with him on the sofa. Darla could watch her son for hours and never tire of it.

She hated the thought of being without her son for even a few hours, but she knew Hans needed time with him, too. This was not how she wanted to raise her son, shuffling him back and forth.

"We've got to figure something out," she said to him.

Darla had to admit that having Hans at the Burrow for Christmas would have been tension-filled.

It made her glad that he had not accepted.

Darla loved her sister, but she also knew Drew would have made snarky comments throughout the day and Jon and Josh would have shot Hans death glares the whole time.

And she had to admit she liked the thought of Liam joining her there.

He deserved to have a nice Christmas and she knew he was taking a bit step by agreeing to spend some of it with his estranged family.

The most important thing to her though was how wonderful he was with Rafe.

Liam never made it seem like being with Rafe was a chore or an inconvenience.

Darla kissed her son's soft head. Every decision she made now had to be for her son's sake. Anyone in her life had to accept him.

"You're my boy," Darla whispered.

Rafe looked up at her and smiled again.

"My boy," Darla said smiling back at him.

*** *** ***

It was only a couple of days before the students would be going home for Christmas and everyone was studying for their exams. Ashley and Katie Malfoy were eager to go home to meet their cousin for the very first time.

Ashley was heading for the library to meet up with Zander, Celia, Evan and Brittany to study when the Head Girl stopped her.

"Ashley Malfoy?" Nicola Ryan asked her. "Your mother asked me to come and find you. She needs to see you in her office."

"Is everything okay?" Ashley asked anxiously.

Nicola shrugged. "I'm not sure. She just asked to see you."

"Okay," Ashley said. "Thanks." she looked at her friends. "Guess I'll meet you lot in the library."

Ashley headed upstairs for her mother's classroom. Julie smiled at her daughter. "No need to look frightened, love. This is a good visit."

289. Chapter 289: Greta

Authors’ note: Sorry for the minor cliffie last week. You get to find out what’s going on this chapter! It’s good news for Ashley and Saffron will finally get an answer from Greta. Enjoy!

Ashley headed upstairs for her mother's classroom. Julie smiled at her daughter. "No need to look frightened, love. This is a good visit."

"Oh okay," Ashley relaxed. "I thought something bad might have happened."

Julie shook her head. "You received some post today at home." Julie reached into her briefcase and pulled out a large envelope.

"I did?" Ashley asked in surprise. "Who would send me something there?"

"Your old art teacher sent some of your newest pieces to a colleague of hers at the Sorbonne," Julie said grinning at her.

"La SORBONNE?" Ashley shrieked.

Julie nodded. "Open up the envelope, sweetheart!'

Ashley eagerly tore into it. "They want me to come there!"

Julie beamed at her. "Oh, Ashley!"

Ashley's hands were shaking. "They want me to send more of my artwork in for evaluation."

Julie looked at the letter that accompanied the brochure. "Your teacher said her colleague was impressed, but I had no idea..."

"This is soooo amazing," Ashley gushed.

Julie hugged her. "I'm so proud of you, baby."

"Thanks Mum," Ashley said.

"Good thing I didn't wait, eh?" Julie asked with a grin.

"Definitely," Ashley replied, gazing at the rest of the papers.

"Your father is going to be over the moon," Julie said.

"I can't wait to tell him," Ashley said.

Ashley couldn't get over the fact that the Sorbonne actually wanted her.

"Well you'd better get back to wherever you were going," Julie told her. "I have some work to do. I'll see you later, sweetheart."

Ashley gave her mother a hug. "I can't wait to tell Brit and Zander."

"I'm sure they'll be thrilled for you," Julie kissed the top of her head.

Ashley practically ran toward the library.

"Guess what?" she announced in a whisper.

Brittany looked up from her book. "Professor Snape has announced he's going to put us all out of our misery and retire?"

Ashley grinned. "You aren't that lucky," she showed Brittany the letter.

"Ashley!" Brittany shrieked. "La Sorbonne!"

"Miss Murray!" Madam Pince gave her a withering stare.

"Sorry," Brittany whispered. She handed the letter to Zander. "Look!"

"That's fantastic, Ash." Zander said sincerely.

Brittany gave Ashley a hug. "This is fantastic! I mean you're 13 and a school like that is interested in you already!"

"I can't believe it," Ashley said.

"I can," Brittany said. "You're brilliant, Ash."

"Thank you," Ashley said, her face glowing. "This is the most exciting thing that's ever happened to me."

"Remember us when you're famous," Evan joked.

"You mean when you're buying one of my paintings to hang in your sitting room?" Ashley joked.

"Buying one?" Evan asked laughing. "You're not going to give me one?"

"How else will I afford my crazy mansion?" Ashley asked.

"Which will be next door to my crazy mansion," Brittany grinned.

Zander rolled his eyes. "How are you going to get that crazy mansion, Brit?"

"Once I get this insufferable metal out of my mouth I will SO be discovered as a model," Brittany said.

"A model for what?" Zander asked.

"Clothing," Brittany said. "High fashion, preferably."

"So you'd toss your hair even more than you do now," Zander said doing an imitation of his cousin.

"You are such a dork," Brittany poked him.

"Not very model-like behaviour," Zander teased.

"Well you're so juvenile--" Brittany began.

Celia nudged Zander. "Come on. This is Ashley's moment."

"Right," Zander said. "Sorry, Ash."

"It's okay," Ashley said with a grin. "I'm used to it."

"So what do you have to do?" Brittany asked her.

"Well, they want to take a look at more of my work," Ashley said. "If my progress continues like it has..."

"I'm sure it will," Brittany interrupted.

Zander was thumbing through the book and noticed that the Sorbonne also had a prestigious music program. For a brief moment, he entertained the thought of going some place like that.

"I just can't believe it," Ashley said. "I mean, all I've ever really wanted to do was art. Paint, draw, sculpt..."

"You'll be eating, sleeping and drinking it now," Brittany said. "Even more now..."

"I know," Ashley said happily.

"I don't think I've ever seen you smile so much," Zander said.

"This is a dream come true for me," Ashley said.

"You think you'll sketch Ellie?" Brittany asked. She knew how much Ashley was looking forward to meeting her cousin.

"Oh I already have a new sketchbook ready and waiting for her," Ashley said with a grin. "I am so excited to see her."

"I heard the Prophet wants to pay for the first photographs of that baby," Evan said.

"They offered five THOUSAND Galleons to Andrew and my aunt," Ashley shook her head.

Evan's eyes grew large. "For photos of a baby?"

Ashley nodded. "They turned it down. They're going to let the Quibbler take the first shots- for free."

"I know she's gorgeous!" Brittany gushed.

"I can't wait to hold her for the first time," Ashley said.

Brittany wanted to say something else but Madam Pince walked by shooting them a warning look.

"I guess we'd better study," Ashley said.

Ashley took her brochure back from Zander and couldn't resist thumbing through it once more.

Zander watched Ashley's face as she looked at the pictures. He had to admit he felt slightly hurt when she'd said she'd never been happier.

He had never been happier than the few short weeks they'd been at Brighton together.

Ashley looked up and caught his gaze. Embarrassed he turned to look over at Celia.

He liked Celia very much. She was fun and she genuinely liked him. The two trips they'd gone to Hogsmeade, she'd sat beside him on the way to and from the village.

Perhaps it was time he moved on from Ashley. It certainly seemed like she wasn't interested anymore.

Celia looked up from her book and smiled at him.

"What... what are you studying?" he asked her.

"History of Magic," Celia replied.

"Oh," Zander nodded. "I decided not to take that anymore. Wish I didn't have to take Potions."

Celia smiled. "I wish we had that class together."

"Me too," Zander replied.

Celia's smile widened. "What are you studying?"

"Ancient Runes," he replied. "Care of Magical Creatures..."

"Care of Magical Creatures is one of my favourite classes," Celia said. "Hagrid's such a great teacher."

"He really is," Zander agreed. "And he's so cool to go and talk to."

Celia nodded. "I never did congratulate you for making the house team. You must be so excited for your first match. After the hols, right?"

"Yeah," Zander said with a grin. "I can't wait. We've been practising really hard."

"I promise I'll be there to cheer you on," Celia said.

"I'll be listening for you," Zander grinned at her.

Brittany peered over Ashley's shoulder at the pamphlet. "It looks like a really great school, Ash."

"Yeah," Ashley said, sticking the brochure into her bag. "But I'll never get in if my marks aren't good. My mum said that there's something Hogwarts does so my marks look like they come from a Muggle school.

"Ash, you're brilliant," Brittany said. "There's no way you wouldn't get in."

Ashley smiled. "Thanks Brit."

"And I'll visit you when I'm not shooting on some beach," Brittany grinned.

"Shooting glares off light off your metal, you mean," Zander couldn't resist.

Brittany glared at him. "I won't have these when I'm a model."

"Sure you won't," Zander teased.

Brittany grabbed her wand. "I think I need to practice that transfiguration spell...turning you into a mouse..."

"Come on you two," Ashley said. "We have homework to get done."

"Metal Mouth," Zander couldn't resist.

"Zander!" Ashley shot him a look.

"Okay, okay," Zander said holding up his hands. "I'm sorry, Brit."

"Whatever," Brittany huffed.

"Come on, Zander," Ashley said. "Let's go over those Ancient Runes.'

"Okay," Zander replied. "Celia, you're in the class too, right?

Celia nodded.

"Come on," he said. "You can look at this too."

Celia smiled. "Did you guys look at the sample test questions?"

Ashley nodded. "They look kind of tough."

Zander chuckled. "You're telling me."

"I didn't think they looked too bad," Celia volunteered. "I can help you with them."

"Thanks," Zander said gratefully.

Ashley watched as Zander moved his chair closer to Celia's and the two bent their heads over their books.

"Alright?" Brittany asked nudging her friend.

"Yeah," Ashley said. "Just thinking."

Brittany smiled. "This is a good day."

Ashley nodded. "Yes it is," she agreed.

"She really fancies him," Brittany whispered.

Ashley nodded again. "I'm glad," she said truthfully.

"Really?" Brittany asked.

"Yeah," Ashley said. "With this..." she touched the brochure.”It's all I've wanted my entire life. Going to school and doing nothing but art- it's my dream. And I can't let anything get in my way."

"That doesn't mean you can't stop and smell the roses every now and then," Brittany argued.

"I know but I want this," Ashley said. "These are my roses, Brit."

Brittany nodded. "Just---just remember I will be around to make sure you have a good time."

"I'll always be happy for that," Ashley grinned at her.

"And you have a new cousin to spoil," Brittany pointed out.

"Exactly," Ashley said.

"I can't wait to see her too," Brittany said.

"I'll have you over during Christmas hols," Ashley promised.

"You'd better," Brittany giggled.

"Promise," Ashley said. "When Saffy and Andrew and Ellie are there."

"And we'll have to go skating at least once," Brittany announced.

"Absolutely," Ashley said.

Brittany and Ashley looked up as Zander chuckled at something Celia had said.

Ashley looked back down at her own book.

"I can't believe I didn't see that," Zander was saying.

"It's really simple," Celia said, leaning closer to him. "See..."

Zander smiled and Ashley recognised that look. That was how he'd looked at her this summer. Though a part of her was jealous and wistful, another part of her knew this was for the best.

Brittany witnessed Ashley's expression change but didn't say anything. If Ashley wanted to go out with Zander again all she had to do was say the word.

"Celia, are you going home for the Christmas hols?" Ashley asked.

"I think so," Celia nodded.

"She's going to sit with us on the train," Zander told Ashley.

"That's nice," Ashley forced a smile onto her face.

"If you don't mind," Celia said hastily. "I know you three always ride back together..."

"I don't mind," Ashley said softly.

Celia smiled. "Thank you."

Ashley returned her attention to her notes. "I better figure this out before I fail the exam."

"Ashley Malfoy doesn't fail," Zander said quietly.

Ashley smiled at her friend's loyalty. "Thanks, Zander."

He smiled back at her. "Everything will be okay."

"I know," she nodded.

"No matter what," Zander said.

Meanwhile, Katie had followed Jemima and Piper out of the Great Hall. "Where are we going?" she asked.

"I'm looking for that snitch Erin and her new lapdog, Lindsey," Jemima said.

"What are you going to do to them?" Katie asked. When Lindsey had told Erin about their plans, Jemima had told them all to hold off on doing anything. They were going to wait for the right time.

"I'm keeping my eye on them is all," Jemima said sharing a look with Piper.

"Oh," Katie nodded. "I see."

"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer, Katherine," Jemima said. "Remember that."

"Of course," Katie nodded. "That's very important."

"The Yule Ball is tomorrow," Piper said. "He's still going with Erin, Jem. I don't see how there's any way around it."

Jemima smiled tightly. "I'm not worried, Piper."

"You're so lucky," Katie said wistfully. "I can't wait until I'm a fourth year and I get to go."

"We'll tell you all about it, Katherine," Jemima said. "Of course... if a fourth year or above were to ask you, you could go."

Piper giggled. "What fourth year would ask her---she's just a first year."

"You never know," Jemima shrugged. "I went MY first year."

Katie glared at Piper behind her back before turning to look at Jemima in awe. "You did?"

"Of course," Jemima said.

"Who did you go with?" Katie asked.

"Vincent Partousek," Jemima replied. "He was a fifth year at the time."

"Wow," Katie said.

"Yes well," Jemima shrugged with false modesty. "It was nice, I suppose."

"That's so cool," Katie said with admiration.

Jemima stopped to walk next to Katie, leaving Piper to the side.

Katie resisted the urge to gloat.

"There they are, Katherine," Jemima said with disdain. "Your little friend Lindsey and that disgusting wench Erin."

"She's no friend of mine," Katie said shaking her head. "Not anymore.

"Well of course," Jemima said. "She IS a snitch, after all."

Over in the corner, Erin and Lindsey were looking at a magazine. "I think it's great that your father has that new job at Gringott's," Lindsey was telling her friend. She knew that Erin had taken her father losing his job hard.

"Thanks," Erin said. "It's nice- he's much happier there."

"And you'll have a great Christmas," Lindsey said.

"Starting with the ball tomorrow," Erin blushed.

Lindsey grinned. "And Trist-an!"

Erin shushed her. "Jemima's been lurking around, and the less she hears from me, the better."

Lindsey nodded. "Right. Sorry, Erin."

Erin nodded. "But I am looking forward to going."

"And your dress robes are gorgeous," Lindsey gushed.

"Thanks," Erin said.

"Hello, Erin," Jemima said coming over to them.

Erin looked up. "Jemima..."

Jemima plopped down on the sofa beside her. "Excited about the ball?"

Erin looked at her warily. "I suppose..."

"We're kind of busy," Lindsey said.

Jemima looked at her coldly. "So Erin..." she continued as if Lindsey hadn't spoken.”Tell me about your robes."

"As if you care, Jemima," Erin retorted. "And Lindsey's right. She and I were having a conversation."

"Is this what I get for trying to be nice?" Jemima asked sharply.

"You don't know how to be nice," Erin said. She grabbed her magazine. "Come on, Linds. We'll go to your room."

Katie stepped in front of them. "You don't know what you're talking about." she said. "Jemima was just saying she felt bad about what she said to you and wanted to try and have a nice time at the ball before we all left for the holiday."

Jemima hid her smile. Katie Malfoy impressed her more and more each day. "That's right," Jemima said pouting.

Erin cast a doubtful glance at both of them.

"I really hope you and Tristan have a lovely time," Jemima said. "It's true I did fancy him, but there's no mistaking he has eyes only for you."

"I did sort of overhear him say he wasn't sure if he wanted to ask me or you," Erin confessed.

Again, Jemima hid her smile. "Really?"

"Yeah," Erin said. "And at first I wasn't going to go... but I decided to."

"Why wouldn't you go?" Jemima asked. "Depressed about your father?"

"He got another job," Erin explained.

"That's great," Jemima said patting Erin's arm.

Erin pulled away a bit. Jemima might be being nice but she still didn't fully trust the other girl.

"I hope you have a great time," Jemima told her. "You deserve it."

"Thanks," Erin said hesitantly.

Lindsey grabbed Erin by the arm. "Come on, Erin. Let's go."

This time Jemima and Katie stepped aside as Erin and Lindsey hurried off.

"Brilliant, Katherine," Jemima said to the younger girl.

Katie smiled at her.

"It was okay," Piper admitted.

"Are you kidding?" Jemima asked. "She was brilliant. That little first year hag was about to drag her off but Katherine here detained her."

"I don't get it," Piper said frowning. "Why are you trying to be nice to her? I mean, we hate her, right?"

"Were you not listening to what I said earlier?" Jemima snapped at her. "Keep your friends close, and enemies closer?"

"I was listening," Katie said.

"Exactly," Jemima said with a grin.

"So what are we going to do?" Katie asked eagerly.

"Ruin her," Jemima said.

"Ruin her?" Katie asked. "But that's a little harsh, isn't it?"

"If she hadn't stolen Tristan from me, I wouldn't care what she does," Jemima said coldly.

"Oh," Katie said quietly.

Jemima looked at her. "Do you find something wrong with our plans, Katherine?"

Katie shook her head. "No, not at all.

"Good," Jemima said, turning to leave.

Katie hurried to follow her.

"Wait up," Piper said, running.

"Where are we going?" Katie asked.

"Back to the common room," Jemima said. "We have a bit of work to do."

"Like what?" Piper asked.

Jemima only smiled. "You'll see."

Katie wondered if Erin had any idea of what might be in store for her.

*****

It had been several days since Andrew and Saffron had brought Ellie home from the hospital, and it was amazing how much their lives had changed in that short amount of time.

Motherhood was hard, but Saffron knew she wouldn't give it up for anything. A lot of times she found herself in her daughter's nursery just watching her sleep.

That morning, she had crept out of bed and snuck into Ellie's nursery while Andrew was sleeping. Saffron pulled the rocking chair close to the crib and sat down. Ellie was still sleeping. "Good morning, Ellie," Saffron whispered.

Ellie's eyes remained closed and her breathing was steady. Saffron watched as her little chest rose and fell.

Andrew put his hand on her shoulder. "I had a feeling I'd find you in here."

Saffron jumped. "You startled me!"

"Sorry," Andrew said sheepishly.

"It's okay," Saffron relaxed. "I just wanted to watch her for awhile."

Andrew sat down on the floor. "She slept through the night. That's a first."

"It's a blessing," Saffron grinned at him. "And probably a fluke."

Andrew laughed. "I'll take them where I can get them."

"Me too," Saffron said as Ellie's eyes blinked open.

"Hi, baby," Saffron said softly.

Ellie let out a soft cry and Saffron reached in to scoop her up

"Good morning," Saffron said hugging Ellie to her.

Andrew stood up. "Let's go down and I'll fix us breakfast while you feed her."

"I like that," Saffron smiled at him.

Andrew grinned back at her before giving her and Ellie both a kiss.

Saffron laughed as Ellie gave her father a gummy smile. "She's reeling you in again, Andrew."

"She doesn't have to try too hard," Andrew said.

Saffron sat down at the kitchen table with their daughter while Andrew started to make breakfast. "Waffles?" Saffron asked with a grin. "It's official. You are perfect."

"I can read your mind," Andrew said. "I know how much you love them."

"You're almost as good as Greta," Saffron said. "Speaking of which, I need to talk to her about moving in here with us...I know, I know she hasn't said yes yet, but she will."

"Saf," Andrew shook his head. "I really wish you wouldn't get your hopes up about her."

"You sound like my mum," Saffron said. "Greta knows how much this would mean to me."

"But she's getting old, Saffy," Andrew reasoned. "She probably wants to retire and take it easy."

Saffron looked at him. "Has she told you something?"

"I haven't seen her," Andrew said. "I suppose it's just a feeling I have."

"Ethan," Saffron said suddenly. "I bet he's gotten to her! He and Maddie want her!"

"Saffy," Andrew turned around to look at her.

"Well, he can't have her," Saffron said smugly. "I asked her first."

Andrew shook his head. "I don't think we even need a nanny, Saf."

"Well, not all the time, just when we're at practise and stuff," Saffron said.

"I bet Mum would watch her while we're busy," Andrew said.

"Well, that can be Plan B," Saffron said as Ellie finished nursing.

"I think you need to face the fact that Greta doesn't want to be a babysitter anymore," Andrew said, pouring the batter into the griddle.

"Nonsense," Saffron said dismissively.

"Saffron," Andrew turned around again.

"Her whole life has been taking care of children," Saffron said. "She took care of Nick, then Ethan, then me. And she's been with Katie and Ashley long enough. They don't need her anymore, Andrew. We do."

"And she's told you she's too old," Andrew replied. "Saffron, I understand you love her, but you need to get past this. You've been hanging onto it for years."

Saffron looked down at Ellie. "She won't be able to say no to your face, Ellie."

Andrew sighed. He knew Greta wasn't going to come be their nanny, but he also knew how stubborn Saffron could be. "Here's your waffle."

"Thank you," Saffron said smiling at him.

"I'll take her," Andrew replied, carefully taking his daughter. "You eat."

"Thanks," Saffron said.

Andrew sat down and put Ellie's burp cloth over his shoulder. "I know you've got a good one in you," he said with a goofy grin.

Ellie looked at him with wide eyes.

"My girl," Andrew said softly.

Ellie let out a burp.

Both of them laughed. "Yup," Andrew nodded. "I knew it."

"She gets that from you," Saffron said.

"Most likely," he nodded.

Saffron took another bite of her waffle. "This is delicious, Andrew. Thanks."

Andrew smiled at her. "I'll make you another if you want."

Saffron shook her head. "I need to lose this baby weight."

"You look gorgeous," Andrew said.

"Ellie, your daddy is a flatterer," Saffron said.

Ellie cooed softly.

"She agrees with me," Andrew said.

"Like father like daughter," Saffron replied.

Saffron knew Andrew would have loved Ellie regardless, but she couldn't help feeling blessed that she really was his, in every single way.

"She looks just like you," Andrew looked thoughtfully at the little girl in his arms.

Saffron smiled. "She's much cuter."

Andrew stood up when Ellie let out a little cry.

"What's wrong, love?" Andrew asked soothingly.

"She might need to be changed," Saffron said, finishing her waffle.

"I've got it," Andrew said. "I'll be right back."

Saffron watched her fiancé and daughter head out of the kitchen. She brought her plate to the sink and quickly washed it by hand.

Andrew didn't know what he was talking about, she thought. Greta would love to be their nanny.

She did remember the hesitation in her former nanny's response though. A nagging sensation reminded her of Greta's words when she'd asked her to come stay with them.

But, she thought, Greta might have changed her mind. Besides, she was so happy when she'd stopped by the other day to bring them food.

"Here we are," Andrew said. "All cleaned up."

Saffron turned. "Was it a bad one?"

"Nah," Andrew replied.

"Will you go with me today?" Saffron asked. "To talk to Greta?"

"Saffron," Andrew shook his head. "Why won't you let this go?"

Saffron frowned. "I'm just going to ask her, Andrew. That's all. If she says no, I'll drop it."

"Fine," Andrew replied.

"I'll watch her while you eat breakfast," Saffron said. "Then, we can get ready."

"I'm not that hungry," Andrew said. "I'll just have some tea."

Saffron looked at him. "I bet you're hoping Greta's made biscuits."

"I can't resist those," Andrew replied.

About an hour later, Saffron, Andrew and Ellie set off for Julie and Nick's house. Julie was away teaching and Nick was working in the downstairs studio. Greta beamed at them when she opened the door. "Saffy, this is a nice surprise!" Greta exclaimed.

"Hi Greta!" Saffron said happily. "We brought a visitor to see you!"

Greta eagerly took the baby. "Hello, Miss Ellie. Don't you look adorable?"

Saffron grinned at her daughter who waved her tiny arms.

Andrew stepped inside with Saffron. "We're sorry for not calling first..."

"It's no problem," Greta said. "I was just doing a little cleanup around here. Even though the girls are gone, I've still got Sophie to watch."

Andrew looked around. "Is Nick here?"

Greta nodded. "He's in the studio if you'd like to say hello."

"Yeah," Andrew said. "I'll leave you two to catch up and drool over the baby."

Greta sat down with Ellie in her arms. "How's she doing?"

"Last night, she actually slept through the night," Saffron told her.

"That's always a good sign," Greta nodded.

Saffron smiled. "I didn't keep you up too much when I was that little did I?"

"You were always so good for me," Greta said affectionately.

"Much easier than Ethan to take care of," Saffron said coyly. "He--he hasn't spoken to you recently, has he?"

"I heard from him a few days ago," Greta replied. "Madeline's getting close to her due date."

Saffron knew it. Ethan had gotten to her. "You know, they let Nana watch Kiera when they need to."

"You won't lack for a babysitter when you need one," Greta told her. "I'm sure your parents and Andrew's will love to take her."

"Ethan," Saffron grumbled. She was going to tell him off the next time she saw him.

"What about Ethan?" Greta asked, cuddling Ellie.

"Nothing," Saffron said hastily. "Look, at how much she loves you, Greta. And you see---I dressed her in that outfit you gave me."

"And it looks just lovely on her," Greta smiled at the baby.

Saffron nodded. "I don't think she'll ever wear the same outfit twice. Her wardrobe is bigger than mine and Andrew's combined."

"Nothing wrong with a little spoiling," Greta said. "You had so many clothes when you were a baby as well."

Saffron smiled. "That's what everyone tells me."

"She does look very much like you," Greta replied.

"I apologise to her everyday for the hair that I know is coming her way," Saffron said. "That's why I used to wear mine in plaits all the time."

"I'm sure she'll be lovely no matter what," Greta told her.

"So," Saffron said. "How are things over here? Quiet without Katie and Ashley?"

"Very," Greta nodded.

"You always did like to be busy," Saffron commented.

"Maybe in my younger days," Greta said. "Right now, it’s very nice not having loads of things to do."

"Well, you know Ethan's going to have two babies," Saffron pointed out. "And Andrew and I just have Ellie. Just one baby. Nice and peaceful..."

Greta gave Saffron a gentle smile. "I know you'd like me to come stay with you--"

"I would love it," Saffron interjected. "You would have your own room and you could come and go as you please..."

"I appreciate that," Greta said. "And if I were ten years younger, I would come in a heartbeat."

Saffron looked down.

"I love you dearly," Greta told her. "I have your whole life. And if you need a babysitter once in awhile I'll be there. But I can't do it every day."

"But---" Saffron started to protest.

"It's just too hard," Greta said. "Even when Ashley and Katie are home, Nick and Julie manage them for the most part."

Tears welled up in Saffron's eyes.

"Please don't cry, love." Greta said.

"I just always thought--" Saffron said her voice trailing off.

Greta patted the sofa cushion beside her. "I'll always be here if you need me."

Saffron sat down beside her. "You always have been."

"It's not going to stop just because I'm not your nanny," Greta told her.

Saffron smiled. "I know."

Greta passed Ellie back over to her carefully. "I know you're going to be a great mother, Saffron."

That meant a lot to Saffron and she told her former nanny so. "I had a happy childhood in large part because of you. I just want the same thing for Ellie."

"She's going to grow up very happy," Greta predicted. "With a family who loves her."

Saffron looked down at her daughter. "She will."

"You and Andrew will do just fine," Greta said, pushing herself up.

Saffron wiped at her eyes. "Thanks, Greta."

Andrew came back into the room with Nick and saw the look on Saffron's face.

"Where's my niece?" Nick asked.

"She's right here," Saffron said, forcing a smile onto her face.

Nick grinned. "Can I hold her?"

"Of course," Saffron replied.

Nick gingerly took the baby in his arms and smiled. "Elinore Kirke, how are you today?"

"She's already had a busy day," Andrew looked proudly at his daughter.

"She has," Saffron agreed.

"We're taking her over to visit with Ethan, Maddie and Kiera later," Andrew said. "He said Maddie's about ready to pop."

"Another granddaughter for your parents to spoil," Nick said winking at Saffron.

"They've already started," Saffron said. "You should see the nursery."

"They go a little overboard," Nick chuckled. He looked over at Greta, who seemed a little teary-eyed. He knew from Andrew what Saffron was going to ask Greta. He imagined that the answer hadn't been easy for Greta to give.

"That's grandparents, right?" Andrew joked. "My parents haven't stopped sending over gifts."

"Ellie's their first grandchild," Nick said.

Andrew nodded. He knew Nick and his parents had nothing to do with one another and the one time Ashley and Katie had met them, they had all but renounced who they were.

"Grandparents are supposed to do that sort of thing," Greta said softly. "Especially when the baby is as cute as Ellie."

Saffron smiled down at her daughter. "She's been so good for us so far."

"Wait until she starts teething," Nick said. "Ashley was the perfect baby until her teeth started coming in. I think one night, Jules and I managed 10 minutes of sleep."

"Waht did you do to get her to calm down?" Saffron asked.

"Teething ring and this potion that Jules found in one of her books," Nick said.

"We know who to come to when we get to that point," Andrew joked.

Saffron stood up and walked over to Greta. She gave her nanny a hug.

Greta kissed the side of Saffron's head. "You'll always be a special girl for me."

Saffron smiled at her. "I'm sorry if I made you feel bad."

"I understand," Greta told her.

"And you would like to babysit sometime?" Saffron asked hopefully.

"Absolutely," Greta promised.

Saffron hugged her again. "Ellie would love that. And so would I."

"I'm glad that's settled," Andrew said.

"Go ahead and tell me that you told me so," Saffron said.

"That's okay," Andrew said.

Saffron smiled. "Thanks, Andrew."

"What can I get you two?" Nick asked. "Hungry?"

"We couldn't impose," Saffron started to say.

"Nonsense," Greta said. "I have some biscuits--"

"What kind?" Andrew asked.

"Chocolate chip and oatmeal," Greta replied.

Andrew rubbed his hands together. "I don't know about Saf, but I would love some."

"Coming right up," Nick said. "Sit back down and make yourselves comfortable."

"And I'll take that little angel," Greta said taking the baby from Nick.

"She loves you," Saffron said with a grin.

"I love her," Greta said grinning back at Saffron. She was happy that her former charge understood why she couldn't take the nanny position. "And her mum."

Saffron smiled wistfully.

"And just as soon as she has teeth," Greta said. "I'll make her biscuits, too."

"She'll love them just as much as I always did," Saffron replied as Ellie let out a sleepy coo.

"And don't forget me," Andrew said. "That's one of the reasons why I'm marrying Saffy..."

Saffron nudged her fiance hard.

"Only kidding," Andrew said hastily.

Nick came back into the room with pumpkin juice, butterbeer and some biscuits on a tray.

Greta sat down with Ellie. "Oh, the stories I could tell you about your mum and your Uncle Ethan."

"How Ethan married Princess Cruella," Saffron quipped.

"And protected you, the Queen," Greta laughed.

"I've seen pictures of that fort," Saffron said. "It was pretty incredible."

"Yes, it was," Greta recalled. "And your brother took his duties very seriously."

"I never had a brother or sister to do anything with," Andrew said.

"Neither did I," Nick said. "Which was probably a blessing. No one else should have suffered with my parents."

"Yeah but at least you found us," Saffron said.

Nick smiled. "Yes, I did. You and the Weasleys."

"You fell in loooove with Jules," Saffron said with a grin.

"How old are you?" Nick teased.

"Younger than you," Saffron returned.

"She's got you on that one, Nicholas," Greta said.

"It's all right," Nick said with a grin. "I'll remember this when you need help with Ellie teething."

Andrew grabbed a biscuit and stuffed it in Saffron's mouth before she could respond.

"Andrew," she complained after swallowing.

"Be nice to Nick," Andrew said. "The teething, remember?"

Saffron gave him a look as Ellie started to cry.

Greta patted Ellie's back soothingly. "It's okay, love."

"I can take her," Saffron said, reaching for her daughter.

Greta smiled as she handed Ellie to Saffron.

"There, there," Saffron kissed her daughter's head.

Ellie's cries quietened and she rested her head on Saffron's chest.

"That's my girl," Saffron said softly.

Greta met Saffron's gaze. "I told you," Greta said smiling at her.

"I just hope I'm as good a mum as mine," Saffron replied.

"I think you're well on your way," Greta said.

"Thank you," Saffron said as Ellie peered over at her father.

Andrew made a goofy face at her. "What's up, El?"

Ellie smiled at him.

"Jules is going to hate that she missed you," Nick said. "And Katie and Ashley are excited to see their little cousin."

"We'll have you lot over for dinner when they're home," Saffron promised.

"You know those two aren't going to want to wait," Nick said. "And Ashley has some news she wants to share with you, but she made Jules and me promise not to tell you."

Saffron made a face. "Thanks, Nicholas."

"You know how much she hates not knowing things," Andrew said reaching for another biscuit.

Nick grinned at his sister in law. "I sure do."

"Well, because I know how much this means to Ashley," Saffron said. "I won't push you to tell me."

Nick was about to answer when the fireplace roared to life and they all saw Ethan's head pop into the flames.

"Ethan?" Saffron asked. "What on earth---"

"Maddie's gone into labour," Ethan said. "I tried to get you at home but--"

"Oh!" Saffron squealed, startling Ellie. Saffron looked down at her daughter. “I’m sorry, Ellie."

"If you want to come to hospital that's fine," Ethan said. "But it could be awhile."

"We'll be there," Saffron promised. She smiled at her brother. "You're here for this one, Ethan. You won't miss a moment."

"I know," Ethan smiled back at her. "See you in a bit."

Saffron nodded. "Come on, Ellie. We should get you home because you are going to need a kip and then we'll go the hospital so you can meet your new cousin, Gwyn."

"I'm going to owl Jules and let her know," Nick stood up.

Greta kissed Saffron the cheek. "I'll see you later at hospital, love."

Saffron nodded. "Thanks Greta."

Andrew gave her a hug, too. "Thanks for the biscuits."

"Anytime," Greta replied.

290. Chapter 290: Gwyn

Authors’ note: It’s quite fitting that on the night before Mother’s Day we have Maddie giving birth!

At hospital, Maddie was perfectly calm while Ethan was freaking out.

"What if it pops out?" Ethan asked in a panic.

Maddie laughed. "Ethan, that's not going to happen. Sit down, you're making me nervous."

"I can't," Ethan paced back and forth.

"Why don't you get a cup of ice chips for me?" Maddie suggested. "There's a bucket over there on that table."

"Okay," Ethan said, rushing to the table. In his haste he spilled them all over the floor.

Maddie smiled adoringly at him. "It's okay---no use crying over spilled ice chips."

Ethan sighed. "I'm a bloody mess."

"Take a deep breath," Maddie told him. "Close your eyes and find your centre; your inner peace."

Ethan looked at her. "What?"

Maddie looked at him. "Just do it...close your eyes."

"I can't relax, Mads," Ethan said.

"Ethan James," Maddie said firmly. "Close your eyes."

Ethan sighed and did as his wife told him.

"Take a deep breath," Maddie told him.

Ethan sucked in a deep breath and held it.

"Breathe out, but keep your eyes closed," Maddie said softly. "And think about---think about that night years ago when we were in my Nana's woods. Remember?"

Ethan had to smile. "The first night we twirled?"

Maddie smiled, too. "Yes."

"I kissed you for the second time," Ethan recalled.

"Remember how carefree we felt?" Maddie said softly.

"Yeah," Ethan grinned.

"Now," Maddie said. "Remember how it felt when you held Kiera in your arms for the first time?"

"I was amazed," Ethan recalled.

"When you feel yourself freaking out again, remember those two moments," Maddie said.

Ethan opened his eyes and looked over at his wife. "I'll try," he promised.

Maddie smiled. "Feel calmer now?"

"Yes," he responded.

"Good," Maddie said happily.

Ethan leaned over and gave her a kiss. "I love you."

"I love---ooooh," Maddie said wincing as a contraction hit her.

"Uh," Ethan instantly panicked again. "What do you do... you have to breathe, right? Really steady?"

"As do you," Maddie told him, squeezing his hand. "Centre, Ethan. Calm."

"I know, I'm sorry," Ethan told her.

"No need to apologise," Maddie reassured him. "Just stay calm."

"I can't believe no one's been in to see you yet," he said.

"They will be," Maddie said. "Besides my contractions are far apart."

"Oh," Ethan nodded. "Right."

"This is already so much better," Maddie said smiling at him. "Because you're here with me."

Ethan smiled back. "I wouldn't miss this one for anything."

Maddie patted her stomach with her other hand. "Gwyn's certainly glad to hear that."

"Kiera's with my parents," Ethan replied. "I think she'll be okay out there."

"Can you go and see if my mum's here yet?" Maddie asked. "I'd like her to be in here with me."

"Sure," Ethan squeezed her hand.

"And give Kiera a kiss from me," Maddie said.

"And more ice chips?" Ethan asked.

Maddie nodded. "And ...do you think you could fetch me some chocolate chip muffins? I'm starving."

"Done deal," Ethan answered.

Maddie gave him a kiss. "You are the best."

"I won't be long," Ethan promised.

He hurried out of the room and into the waiting area.

"Luna," he said when he saw his mother in law. "Maddie wants to know if you'll go in there with her.

"Of course," Luna nodded. "How is she?"

"So far so good," Ethan answered. "I've got to get her some chocolate chip muffins."

Ron perked up at this. "Ooooh, that sounds good, actually. I'll run down to the cafeteria and buy some for her."

Harry chuckled. "And yourself?"

"That goes without saying," Ron answered. "Be right back."

"Thanks, Ron," Ethan said gratefully. He looked over at his mother who was holding Kiera. "How's she doing?"

"Perfect," Hermione looked adoringly at her granddaughter. "She was asking for you."

Ethan reached for her. "How's Daddy's big girl?"

"Daddy!" Kiera said happily.

Ethan hugged her to him. "Your Mummy wants to give you a big hug and kiss."

"Mummy?" Kiera asked.

Ethan nodded. "She loves you very much."

Kiera grinned at him. "See?"

Ethan grinned back at her. "You want to see Mummy?"

Kiera nodded.

"Just for a minute," Ethan said. He knew it would be Maddie a world of good to see her daughter.

He carried Kiera into Maddie's room and watched his daughter's eyes light up.

Maddie beamed when she saw her little girl. "Hi, baby!"

Kiera reached for her, almost making Ethan lose his hold on her.

"It's okay," Maddie said taking her daughter. "How are you, sweetheart?"

"Hi!" Kiera said happily. "Baby?"

Ethan watched as his daughter put her small hand on Maddie's stomach.

"Are you talking to Gwyn, love?" Maddie asked.

Kiera didn't answer. Her only response was a smile.

"Ooooh," Maddie said as another contraction hit.

Ethan picked up Kiera. "Come on, sweetheart. Let's go and see if your Grandpa brought back those muffins."

"Kay," Kiera agreed.

Maddie blew a kiss in her daughter's direction. "I love you, Kiera."

"Bye Mummy," Kiera waved to her.

"I'll be right back," Ethan promised, carrying Kiera out of the room.

"You okay, Maddie?" Luna asked softly.

Maddie nodded. "Just hurts."

"I'm sure they'll give you something soon," Luna said.

"I hope so," Maddie replied. "They're only eight minutes apart now."

Ethan came back in carrying the muffins and a cup of ice chips. "Here you are."

"Thank you," Maddie said gratefully.

"Your father brought back every muffin they had in the place," Ethan joked.

"And how many did he eat?" Maddie asked.

"He didn't say," Ethan laughed sitting down. Maddie eagerly took a bite and closed her eyes. "Mmmm, this is soooo good!"

"How are you feeling?" Ethan asked her.

"That's my question," Lizzy said as she came into the room.

"I am so glad to see you," Maddie replied.

Lizzy grinned. "I bet you want something to relieve those contraction pains?"

"That would be wonderful," Maddie replied.

Lizzy looked at her. "How far apart are your contractions now?"

"I just timed them at 8 minutes apart," Maddie replied.

Lizzy nodded. "Give me just a moment to brew the potion."

"Of course," Maddie took another bite of her muffin

"I guess I should be asking how Ethan's holding up," Lizzy said as she mixed the ingredients.

Maddie smiled at her husband. "He's relaxed for now."

"With help from Mads," Ethan said.

"Shouldn't that be the other way around?" Lizzy teased.

"He's a newbie," Maddie said.

"He'll be an old pro when this is all over," Lizzy said, handing her the potion.

Maddie eagerly drank the potion.

"What does that do?" Ethan asked anxiously.

"Lessens the pain she feels when she has contractions," Lizzy explained. "It's perfectly safe for her and the baby."

"Okay," Ethan relaxed.

"I'll be back in just a little while," Lizzy said.

"I'll keep timing them," Maddie said, leaning back.

"Want another muffin?" Ethan asked.

"I'm okay right now," Maddie shifted on the bed. "My back hurts a bit."

"Can I do anything?" Ethan asked.

"Just stay here with me," Maddie smiled at him.

"Absolutely," Ethan promised. "I'm not going anywhere.'

"I'm so glad you're here," Maddie reached for his hand.

"Me too," Ethan said leaning in and kissing her.

Luna smiled at the young couple. "I'm sure Kiera will be very excited to have a younger sister."

"I want them to be close," Maddie said. "Like Darla, Drew and me."

"They will be," Luna predicted.

"Kiera and Gwyn are going to be fast friends with Ellie," Maddie said.

"They'll all be right around the same age," Ethan nodded.

"Kind of like how we were growing up," Maddie said smiling at him.

"Except they won't want to marry each other," Ethan joked.

Maddie giggled. "I wasn't that bad, Ethan!”

"Nah," Ethan replied. "Not that bad..."

Maddie swatted at him causing Luna to laugh.

"Come on," Ethan chuckled.

"I finally got you though," Maddie said.

"Yeah you did," Ethan grinned at her goofily.

In the visiting room, Saffron had just arrived. Andrew had stayed behind with the baby. Kiera waved excitedly when she saw her aunt.

"Hello, gorgeous," Saffron cooed at her niece

"Sa," Kiera said reaching for her.

"What a smart girl," Saffron scooped her up and kissed her cheeks.

Kiera giggled. "Ba-by?"

"That's right," Saffron said. "You're about to be a big sister."

Ron mumbled something and Saffron turned. She saw him wiping his mouth. "Chocolate chip muffins?"

"I brought some to Maddie," Ron said. "How are you, Saffy?"

"I'm well," Saffron replied. "Ellie slept through the night last night for the first time."

"That's great," Ron told her.

Hermione smiled at her daughter. "How's Andrew?"

"He's fine," Saffron said. "Staying at home with Ellie."

"Which I'm sure you had to twist his arm to do," Harry joked.

"Yeah right," Saffron said wryly.

Saffron sat down with Kiera. "How's Maddie? Any word?"

Ron shook his head. "Not in a little while, but I'm sure they'll tell us when something's going on."

Saffron smiled. "I'm just glad Ethan's here. I know how important is for him."

"Maddie's happy about that too," Ron replied.

"I know she is," Saffron said thoughtfully.

"Sa," Kiera looked up at her.

"Yes?" Saffron asked smiling down at her.

"Buh?" Kiera asked her.

"I was going to ask you where your little shadow was," Saffron replied.

"I can't imagine bringing him here," Ron shuddered.

"Buh, Buh, Buh," Kiera said looking at her grandfather.

"No Blue," Ron shook his head.

Kiera buried her face in Saffron's shoulder.

"It's okay, love." Saffron reassured her. "You'll get to see him later."

"She's just like Maddie was with Dolly," Ron said shaking his head.

"Like mother like daughter," Saffron joked.

"Ron never quite got over what Dolly did to his Canons shirt," Harry said.

"Shut it, Potter," Ron scowled at him

"You don't even like that team anymore, Uncle Ron," Saffron said. "So, in a way, Dolly did you a favour."

"I guess," Ron replied.

"Ron, it's been years," Hermione pointed out.

"I know that," Ron said.

Saffron patted Kiera's back. "You'll see Blue soon, Kiera. I promise and you can tell him all about your big trip to hospital to meet your little sister."

Kiera grinned at her.

"There's that smile we love so much," Saffron said.

The little girl giggled. "See Daddy?"

"You will soon," Saffron promised. "He's with your mummy right now."

"And baby?" Kiera asked.

Saffron nodded. "And the baby."

"Hmm..." Kiera rested her head on Saffron's shoulder again.

Saffron smiled and patted Kiera's back. She hoped that things were going well for Maddie in the delivery room.

"Three minutes," Maddie said after breathing through her latest contraction.

"You're doing really well," Ethan said.

"The pain is coming back, but still not as intense as it was," Maddie replied.

"That's good, isn't it?" Ethan asked.

"I suppose," Maddie replied.

Ethan squeezed her hand. "You're doing great, Mads."

Maddie looked at her husband and tears welled up in her eyes.

Ethan smiled. "What?"

"I'm just glad you're here," she sobbed.

Ethan leaned over and hugged her. "I'm not going anywhere."

"I know," she said, holding onto him.

"You, Kiera and Gwyn are everything to me," Ethan said softly.

"I love you so much," Maddie wiped at her eyes.

Ethan gave her a kiss. "I love you, too."

Maddie managed a watery smile as another contraction hit.

It seemed like an eternity to both of them, but finally Lizzy entered the room again and after examining Maddie announced that it was time.

"Right now?" Ethan asked.

"Unless you'd like to wait," Lizzy teased. "Because Gwyn Potter seems ready to make her appearance."

"We're ready," Maddie said, pushing herself up.

Luna used a cold rag to dab at Maddie's forehead. Ethan held his wife's hand and tried to be strong for her.

"All right," Lizzy positioned herself on the end of the bed. "I'm going to need a nice, big push from you Maddie."

Maddie nodded. "Okay..."

"What do you want me to do?" Ethan asked.

"Just---just hold my hand," Maddie replied.

"Okay," Ethan said. "Just... squeeze mine as hard as you want."

Maddie squeezed his hand as she bore down and pushed as hard as she could.

"Good!" Lizzy said. "Very good!"

"That's quite a grip," Ethan said hoarsely.

Lizzy smiled. "Another one from you, Maddie."

Maddie nodded and mustered all her strength. She groaned as she pushed.

"Head's out!" Lizzy announced. "You're doing great, Maddie."

Maddie closed her eyes and pushed once more. A baby's cry echoed in the room.

Ethan stared as Lizzy cut the umbilical cord. "A happy, healthy Gwyn!" she announced. "Congratulations, both of you."

Ethan was absolutely speechless.

"We're just going to clean her up and then you can hold her," Lizzy said.

Maddie sank back against the pillows. Luna beamed at her daughter. "Congratulations, love!"

"Thanks Mum," Maddie said, still breathing hard.

Ethan turned and looked at his wife. "You were fantastic, Maddie!"

Maddie smiled at him. "You were too, Ethan."

"You did all the hard work," Ethan said giving her a kiss.

"Having you here helped," Maddie told him.

Lizzy carried the baby over to them. She was wrapped in a light pink blanket. "Gwyn Potter, meet your mum and dad."

"Go ahead and take her," Maddie said to Ethan.

Ethan looked at her. "Are you sure?"

"Of course," Maddie nodded.

Ethan took the baby from Lizzy. She was so small and her face was red, but to Ethan she looked absolutely beautiful. "Hi," Ethan whispered.

Gwyn's little face screwed up and her mouth puckered.

Ethan smiled. "I think she likes me."

"She loves you, I'm sure." Maddie said softly, gazing at her new daughter.

"She looks like you," Ethan said.

Maddie smiled. "She's got blonde hair."

"Just like her mum and sister," Luna said.

"She's perfect, just like them," Ethan said.

Maddie smiled sleepily at him. Ethan gingerly handed her the baby. Maddie cradled Gwyn in her arms. "My precious girl."

Ethan smiled. "And how are you?"

"Knackered, but very happy," Maddie replied smiling at her new daughter.

"I'll take her and introduce her once you're asleep," Ethan told her.

Maddie nodded. "Kiera's going to be so excited."

"Yes, she is," Ethan agreed. "I think I'll go get her now."

Luna shook her head. "I'll go. You stay with your family, Ethan. I'll bring her back for you."

"Thanks," Ethan smiled at her.

Luna stepped out of the room and walked down the corridor to the waiting area. Everyone looked up when she entered. Kiera was asleep in Saffron's arms.

"Gwyn was just born about five minutes ago," Luna said.

"She's healthy?" Hermione asked.

"Completely," Luna said.

Hermione grinned and hugged her husband.

Saffron touched Kiera's shoulder. "Sweetheart, wake up..."

"Sa?" Kiera mumbled.

Saffron kissed the top of her head. "Are you ready to meet your baby sister?"

"Baby!" Kiera exclaimed.

Everyone laughed at the little girl's sudden exuberance.

"Hi you," Ethan said, scooping his daughter into his arms.

"Dad-dy!" Kiera giggled.

"Come meet your baby sister," Ethan said. "The one you've been talking to."

Kiera put her arms around his neck.

Ethan carried her into Maddie's room.

Kiera's eyes focused on her baby sister the moment she entered the room.

"Hi sweetheart," Maddie said. "It's your little sister."

"Gwyn, meet Kiera," Ethan said carrying Kiera closer to the bed.

"Hi," Kiera said, her eyes wide.

Gwyn stared at Kiera.

"She's the one who was talking to you all this time," Maddie whispered to Gwyn.

Gwyn sent a gummy smile to her sister.

Kiera smiled back at her. "Baby."

"That's a smart girl," Ethan kissed her cheek.

Maddie used her free hand to wipe her eyes.

"You all right?" Ethan asked her.

Maddie nodded. "I'm perfect."

"Yes you are," Ethan smiled at her. "I love you."

"Love baby," Kiera said.

"That's my good girl," Maddie said.

Kiera beamed at her.

Luna came back into the room. "Your parents and Ron would like to see Gwyn if it's possible," she smiled at her new granddaughter.

Maddie smiled. "Of course."

"We'll let you get some rest," Ethan said, handing Kiera to Luna and carefully taking Gwyn into his arms.

Maddie nodded. "Okay. Thanks, Ethan. Mum."

"I won't be long," Ethan promised. "I'll stay with you tonight."

"Okay," Maddie said, already closing her eyes.

Ethan carried Gwyn out into the waiting room.

Luna followed, carrying Kiera.

"Oh!" Saffron was the first to gasp. "Ethan she's beautiful!"

Ethan grinned. "She is, isn't she?"

"Good job, big brother," Saffron smiled at him. "She and Ellie will be the best of friends."

Ethan smiled back at her. "I think so, too, Brat."

"Let me see her," Hermione took the newborn into her arms.

Ron chuckled. "The baby hog has her. You'll never see her again, Ethan."

"You're just jealous I got to hold her first," Hermione retorted.

"As if I could have gotten past you," Ron said. "You're as bad as Harry when he sees the Snitch."

"Stop, both of you," Harry said, leaning over his wife.

"She looks like Maddie, doesn't she?" Ethan asked proudly.

"Very much," Harry agreed. "Another blonde, eh son?"

Ethan laughed. "It seems so, Dad."

"That's all right," Harry assured him jokingly.

Saffron looked over at Kiera. "So, how does it feel being a big sister?"

"Love baby," Kiera told her.

Saffron grinned. "I know you do. You'll be a great big sister."

Kiera giggled. "Where baby?"

"Ellie, you mean?" Saffron asked.

Kiera nodded.

"She is at home with Andrew," Saffron said. "In fact...I was going to ask if you might want to come home with me tonight. We'll have a little sleepover."

"That would actually be great, Saf." Ethan said. "I was going to see if Mum and Dad would take her... and only if you're sure you won't be overwhelmed with two babies."

Saffron waved her hand. "We'll be fine, won't we, Kiera?"

Kiera nodded.

Saffron grinned. "We'd love to have her over, Ethan."

"Thanks Brat," Ethan said gratefully. "I really appreciate it. But you'll let me or Mum and Dad know if you and Andrew feel overwhelmed, okay?"

Saffron nodded. "We'll be fine. It'll be good practise for us."

"Are you planning more already?" Ethan asked mischievously.

"Not for awhile," Saffron said. "I'm still getting over the pain of labour."

Ethan laughed. "Take your time, Brat."

Saffron grinned. "We will. Kiera Faith, are you ready to go?"

Kiera went willingly into Saffron's arms.

"You be good for Aunt Saffy and Andrew," Ethan told her.

"Love Daddy," Kiera said.

Ethan kissed her cheek. "I love you too, baby."

He watched his sister leave with his oldest daughter then turned his attention back to his parents and in laws.

"She's perfect, Ethan," Hermione said gazing adoringly at Gwyn.

"Thanks," Ethan said proudly.

"And does she have a middle name?" Ron asked.

"Not yet," Ethan said. "When Maddie wakes up later we'll decide on one."

"Give her my love," Ron said. "And I'll see her later this evening."

"I will," Ethan promised. "Thanks."

"She's already asleep," Hermione whispered as she handed the baby back to Ethan.

"It's been a big day for her," Ethan said softly.

"And for you," Harry said. He knew how much it meant for his son to have been here for this.

"Yeah," Ethan said with a grin. "It was incredible, Dad."

Harry grinned back at him. "And I'm sure it meant the world to Maddie, too."

"I think so," Ethan nodded. "

"I know it did," Ron said. "My daughter loves you very much, Ethan."

"And I love her," Ethan said. "We have quite the little family now."

"Yes you do," Hermione said.

"I better get Gwyn to the nursery," Ethan said.

"We'll see you later, son," Harry said.

"Thanks for coming," Ethan said.

"We wouldn't have missed it," Hermione said kissing her son's cheek.

"We'll see you later," Luna promised.

Ethan carried the baby back to the nursery and reluctantly gave her to the nurse. "Daddy will be back soon, I promise, Gwyn," Ethan said softly.

Gwyn let out a tiny cry, but didn't wake up.

"We'll take good care of her, Mr. Potter," the nurse told him.

"Thank you," Ethan said, giving his newborn daughter another look before heading back to his wife.

Maddie was sleeping soundly when he walked into her room.

Ethan looked down at her for a few moments before carefully climbing onto the bed next to her.

"Mmmm," Maddie murmured.

"Just sleep," Ethan whispered.

"Mmm kay," Maddie said curling into him.

Ethan wrapped his arms around her. "Love you," he said, kissing her hair.

"Love you too," Maddie whispered.

291. Chapter 291 Goodbye Mallory

Authors’ note: The Barrons gather to say goodbye to Mallory as she gets ready to go back home to the States.

Frankie stalked into her closet and pulled out a jumper and a pair of jeans. She was finally getting Mallory out of her hair, but Will had promised they would see her off at the airport.

"Waste of my time," Frankie muttered.

She put on her jumper and sighed. If this wasn't so important to Hannah, Frankie would never have agreed to it.

"Mummy?" Hannah's voice startled her.

Frankie turned. "Hannah? What--what is it, love?"

"Should I wear my red jumper or my purple one?" Hannah asked.

"Oh," Frankie said thoughtfully. "Either would be lovely on you."

"Which one looks better though?" Hannah asked.

Frankie knelt down and smiled at her daughter. "The purple one is my favourite on you."

Hannah smiled back. "I'll wear that one then."

Frankie gave her a hug. "Do you need any help?"

Hannah shook her head. "I'm okay Mummy. Thank you."

Frankie smiled. "Okay, I'll see you downstairs then."

"I'll only be a few more minutes," Hannah promised.

Hannah ran out of the room, leaving Frankie alone with her thoughts. She was glad that Mallory was going back to the States.

"And the sooner we send her off, the better," she said to herself.

"Isabelle Barron get back here!" Frankie heard Will calling out from the nursery.

"Uh oh," Frankie went into the hallway and caught her daughter just as she was running into Hannah's room.

"Play, Mummy!" Isabelle shrieked.

"I don't think so, little miss," Frankie picked her up. "Your daddy is helping you get dressed."

Will sighed with relief. "You know, I think she's going to run track and field for the British Olympic team someday."

"I want to play," Isabelle replied.

"With Han," Nathan agreed peering out behind Will's leg.

"You can play with Hannah later," Frankie said. "We have to go somewhere first."

Isabelle pouted. "Han-nah!"

"I'm right here," Hannah said, peeking out of her room. She was trying to plait her hair herself.

"Here," Frankie said setting Isabelle down. "I'll help you, Hannah."

"Thanks," Hannah said. "I thought I could do it myself."

"You'll get it," Frankie said. "I was ten before I was able to do it myself."

"You were?" Hannah asked.

"Yes," Frankie replied. "I used to practise on my dolls all the time."

"I should do that," Hannah said.

"Or you could practise on Izzie," Frankie said. "I used to practise on Allie."

"If she'll sit still long enough," Hannah giggled. "Her hair is almost long enough."

Frankie smiled. "She's getting there, isn't she?"

"She's good with my dolls though," Hannah told her mother. "She doesn't bang them about like Nathan."

Frankie smiled as she finished Hannah's plait. "There you are."

"Perfect," Hannah said. "My hair is getting really long!"

"You have beautiful hair," Frankie said proudly.

"Thanks," Hannah glowed. "Sometimes I wish it was the same colour as yours."

Frankie smiled. "You're perfect just the way you are, love."

"Thanks Mummy," Hannah gave her a tight hug. "I'm all ready to go."

"Let's see if your Daddy's had any luck with the twins," Frankie said.

"I'll help him if he needs it," Hannah said.

"He just might," Frankie grinned.

But to their surprise, Will had both Isabelle and Nathan ready to go.

"Daddy, you're a rock star!" Hannah exclaimed.

Will began to laugh. "A rock star?"

"That's what a girl in my class says," Hannah laughed.

"Well then by all means," Will picked Isabelle up and dipped her back. "I'm a rock star!"

Isabelle giggled. "Daddy!"

"We should get going," Frankie said reluctantly. She wanted nothing more than to stay here and have fun with her family but the sooner they got this done the sooner Mallory would be gone.

"We're going to see the big planes," Hannah said as she helped her little brother with his coat. "Big airplanes."

"Big?" Nathan asked.

"Huge," Hannah told him. "You'll love them, Nathan."

Nathan grinned at her and gave his sister a hug.

Hannah took Nathan's hand and helped him downstairs.

"Here we go!" Nathan announced as they descended. "Daddy!"

Frankie forced a smile as she picked up Isabelle and carried her to the car. She put Isabelle in her car seat and Will helped Nathan into his. Hannah sat in the middle.

"Fly!" Nathan crowed happily. "Zoom!"

Will looked over at Frankie. "You know, he is probably going to want to get on one of those planes."

"Sooner or later we'll take a trip and go on a plane," Frankie replied.

"You could always accompany me on one of my boring research trips," Will said with a grin. He chuckled when Frankie's nose scrunched up. "You always react that way."

"Why would I want to sit in a musty old library?" Frankie asked.

"You could...I don't know...read?" Will asked teasingly.

Frankie poked him hard.

Will grimaced. "Ow. Izzie, tell your mummy to be nice to your daddy."

"Mummy nice," Isabelle recited.

Frankie turned around and made a goofy face at Isabelle. "I'm very nice. Your daddy is the one being mean."

"Daddy nice too," Isabelle said with a grin.

They were meeting Mallory at the airport and Hannah was sad to see her aunt go. She felt like there was so much more she had to share with her. As a going away present, Hannah had drawn her a picture.

It was of herself, her birth mother and Mallory, all standing next to one another.

"Wook!" Nathan squealed pointing a chubby finger in the direction of a plane that was just taking off.

"That's a plane!" Hannah said encouragingly.

Nathan's eyes grew large.

"So big!" Isabelle said her eyes also huge.

"Cool, huh?" Hannah asked grinning at her. "And just wait 'til we get inside. They have these nice places where you can get sweets and ice cream..."

"Yummy!" Nathan shouted happily.

Will parked the car.

"I don't think we'll be in there too long," Frankie said to her children.

Hannah didn't even hear Frankie. She was eager to see her Aunt Mallory. She was bouncing in her seat while Will unbuckled Nathan from his seat.

"Daddy fly me!" Nathan begged.

Will lifted Nathan up on his shoulders. "Where are we going, buddy?"

"Zoom!" Nathan cried happily.

"Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen," Will said in a deep voice. "Thank you for flying Barron Airlines. Today, we will be flying to Zoom. Nathan Barron, are you ready?"

"YES!" Nathan shouted. "GO!"

Will rushed ahead lifting Nathan high above his shoulders. Frankie looked at Isabelle. "Don't worry, Iz. I'm sure you'll get the departure flight."

"Kay," Isabelle said, resting her head on Frankie's shoulder.

Hannah walked excitedly beside her mother. She couldn't wait to show Mallory her picture.

"I hope we can find her in there," Will said to Frankie. "It looks pretty crowded."

"Where did we say we'd meet her?" Frankie asked.

"Near the ticket agents," Will said. "I don't know if we'll be able to get past that point, though."

Hannah frowned. She climbed up on an empty chair and strained her eyes to see Mallory. Her frown turned into a smile when she spotted her in a coffee shop. "Mummy! There she is!"

"Wonderful," Frankie forced a smile onto her face.

Hannah jumped off the chair and ran ahead of her parents and siblings.

Mallory grinned when she spotted her niece. "Hey, you!"

"Hi Aunt Mallory!" Hannah said happily.

Mallory gave her a hug. "Hi, Hannah Banana."

Hannah giggled. "That's funny."

Mallory grinned and looked up as Will, Frankie and the twins joined them. "It was so nice of you all to see me off like this," Mallory said.

"Hannah really wanted to see you again before you left," Will replied.

"And I have something for you," Hannah said shyly.

"You do?" Mallory asked curiously;

Hannah handed her the paper. "I made it just for you."

"Oh," Mallory looked as if she were going to cry. "This... this is beautiful, Hannah."

"I wanted you to have something to remember me by," Hannah said softly.

"I'll keep this forever," Mallory promised.

Hannah beamed at her and gave her another hug.

Will looked at the picture and grinned. "That's amazing, Hannah. I had no idea..."

Frankie also looked at the picture and tried to muster up some enthusiasm.

"Why don't we give you two a few moments alone?" Will suggested. "Frankie and I will go and order something for us. Hannah, you want a blueberry muffin?"

"Yes please," Hannah nodded.

Frankie reluctantly followed her husband up to the counter. "You want a cappuccino?" Will asked. "Frankie? Frankie?"

"What?" Frankie asked distractedly.

"Cappuccino?" Will asked again. "Or an iced coffee?"

"No thanks," Frankie looked back at Hannah and Mallory.

Will shook his head before turning his attention back to the woman behind the counter.

"Daddy, ice cream," Nathan begged.

"Can I have two small cups of chocolate ice cream?" Will asked. "And two blueberry muffins, an espresso and an iced non-fat coffee for my wife here."

"Iz," Nathan looked at his sister. "Yummy!"

Isabelle nodded happily and squirmed in Frankie's arms.

"Just a minute you two," Will said. "Frankie, will you go grab that table next to Mallory's so we have a place to sit?"

"Sure," Frankie said eager to hear what Mallory and Hannah were talking about.

Nathan took her free hand and she led them back over by where Mallory and Hannah were sitting.

"Your dad's bringing the food," Frankie said.

"The twins look so cute," Mallory said. "Frankie, you have three beautiful children."

"Thank you," Frankie said, forcing the stiffness from her voice.

"I was telling Aunt Mallory about how Nathan's eyes got big when he saw the planes!" Hannah told her mother.

"He does love flying," Frankie replied.

Mallory raised an eyebrow. "Hannah just said he'd never flown before..."

"I meant with Will," Frankie said hastily. "When Will whirls him around in the air..."

"Zoom," Nathan said happily.

Frankie smiled at her son. "That's right, love."

Will brought the tray of food over to them. "Okay..."

"Mine!" Isabelle reached for the ice cream.

Hannah laughed. "I'll help you, Daddy."

"Thanks sweetheart," Will replied.

Hannah grabbed the cup of ice cream and sat down beside her sister.

"Help?" Isabelle asked her.

Hannah nodded and reached for the plastic spoon. "Izzie's ice cream."

"Yummy, yummy." Isabelle said happily, taking the spoon.

Mallory felt tears welling up in her eyes as she watched her niece. So helpful, just like her mother had been.

"So um..." Mallory handed Will a piece of paper. "That's my address, and my phone number. I hope Hannah can call me once in awhile and write to me."

Will nodded. "Of course."

"And maybe once you're ready..." Mallory said tentatively. "You can all come out to visit."

Hannah grinned and looked at her mother. "Ooh, can we?"

"Perhaps," Frankie said noncommittally as Nathan smeared ice cream across his mouth.

"Disney World!" Hannah exclaimed.

"It may not be for awhile," Frankie cautioned. "Your brother and sister need to be a bit older before we go there."

"Frankie?" Mallory asked. "Might I have a word with you alone?"

"Um... sure..." Frankie said.

Mallory smiled at Hannah. "We'll be right back."

"Okay," Hannah sent Frankie a smile.

Mallory led Frankie outside. "First off, I'd like to thank you for letting me have this time with my niece. I know it hasn't been easy for you, but, for the most part, you've put your feelings toward me aside and let me know my niece."

"I have a hard time denying Hannah what she wants," Frankie answered.

Mallory folded her arms. "Including letting her visit me?"

"You took us by surprise with that," Frankie returned. "We felt like you were going behind our backs inviting her to Florida without talking to us first."

"That was a mistake on my part," Mallory admitted. "But, I'm asking you now. I would love to have her visit my home. I'd make sure she was safe and sound."

"It's something Will and I need to further discuss," Frankie told her. "She's too young to go that far on her own, without us."

"You'll never let her go, will you?" Mallory asked.

"I didn't say that," Frankie hedged.

"You didn't have to," Mallory retorted.

"Look I think we've been more than generous here," Frankie said.

"You know, you have a lot more in common with my former brother-in-law than I thought," Mallory said angrily.

"How dare you!" Frankie snapped. "I am NOTHING like David Wright!"

"You're just as controlling and you're just as threatened as he was by anyone trying to threaten his place!" Mallory retorted.

"I am Hannah's mother now," Frankie told her. "And I have to do what's best for her."

"And what about Abbie?" Mallory asked. "You want her to forget her mother?"

"Of course not," Frankie said. "We encourage her all the time to talk about Abbie whenever she thinks about her."

"Right," Mallory said sarcastically.

"You have NO idea what Hannah went through after Abbie died," Frankie said furiously. "You weren't there when she had nightmares of David Wright killing Abbie in front of her."

"I would have been!" Mallory retorted. "I never stopped looking for her!"

"I feel terrible for what happened to Abbie," Frankie replied. "I really do. But Hannah is my daughter now and Will and I have to do what WE think is best for her."

Mallory stared at her for a few moments. "Just because I'm leaving now, doesn't mean you've seen the last of me."

"What exactly is that supposed to mean?" Frankie asked sharply.

"You're not going to stop me from seeing my niece or being part of her life," Mallory said. "I won't let you. Your husband has been very nice, but you've never made one attempt to help me foster my relationship with Hannah. You've always been there trying to make her feel guilty for wanting to be with me!"

"I don't trust you," Frankie said. "You always seemed to have an ulterior motive in mind."

"My only motive is the well-being of Hannah," Mallory said indignantly.

"Right," Frankie said. "Which is why you went behind our backs?"

Mallory was about to say something when Hannah came up behind her. "Aunt Mallory?"

Both Mallory and Frankie turned to look at the little girl. "Yes, Hannah?" Mallory asked.

"Is everything okay?" Hannah asked uncertainly.

"Its fine, sweetheart," Frankie told her.

"I saved you some of my muffin," Hannah said taking Frankie's hand.

"That was very sweet of you," Frankie said, turning her back on Mallory.

"Daddy's cleaning up Nate and Izzie," Hannah said. "Nate was trying to wear his ice cream...like he always does."

"We won't be here much longer," Frankie told her. "So I'm sure he won't be able to be too messy."

Frankie ignored Mallory and led Hannah back over to the table.

"Alright?" Will asked.

"I'll tell you later," Frankie said as Mallory sat back down across from them.

"Here," Hannah said handing her mother part of her muffin.

"Thanks," Frankie said. "I suppose I am a little hungry..."

Hannah looked at Mallory. "At my mummy's work, we go to the cafeteria and split an ice cream sundae in her cafeteria. It's the best, isn't it, Mummy?"

"It absolutely is," Frankie said evenly.

"I didn't know about this," Will teased. "Frankie Barron...eating sundaes?"

"Just a few bites," Frankie said with a grin. "Hannah won't let me near most of it."

Hannah giggled. "They even named a dessert after RJ, but we've never tried that. Mummy says it has wayyyyyy too many calories."

Will laughed. "I don't think anyone can eat that if their last name isn't Weasley."

"I bet Aunt Maddie could eat it," Hannah said.

Frankie laughed. "She has."

Mallory felt extremely ill at ease. "I... I think I'd better check in," she said quietly.

Will nodded. "Mallory, I hope you have a safe flight home. Please ring us to let us know you arrived safely."

"I will," Mallory said. "Thank you again, for letting me spend time with Hannah." she directed her comment only to Will.

"Of course," Will said shaking her hand. "It meant the world to Hannah."

Hannah nodded. "I really liked having you here."

"I did too," Mallory said leaning over and hugging her niece. "I love you, Hannah."

"I love you too," Hannah held onto her tightly for a moment. "I promise to write."

Mallory tugged affectionately on Hannah's plait. "You be good and I'll see you soon."

Frankie tensed up at Mallory's last remark.

With one last hug, Mallory gathered her belongings and set off for the security check.

Hannah wiped at her eyes.

"No sad, Han!" Isabelle exclaimed reaching for her.

"I'm not that sad, Iz," Hannah said as her little sister hugged her.

"How about we take a look at the planes before we go?" Will suggested.

"Zoom," Nathan said happily.

Isabelle took Hannah's hand. "Zoom, Han!"

Hannah smiled at her sister. "That's right. Zoom away!"

Hannah led the way over to the big window where they could see the planes in the distance. Frankie and Will stood back while they watched the children.

"You and Mallory were gone quite a while," Will commented.

"She basically came at me with claws out," Frankie replied.

Will turned to look at her. "What?"

"Accused me of all kinds of things," Frankie shook her head. "I think Mallory's true colours came out. She even accused me of being like David Wright!"

Will gaped at her. "Frankie--"

"She's horrible," Frankie crossed her arms.

"How in the world did she compare you to David Wright?" Will asked shaking his head.

Frankie shuddered. "I am nothing like him. Nothing!"

"Of course you're not," Will said putting his arms around her.

"I don't like her," Frankie said. "I never did, but I tried to give her the benefit of the doubt. But now she tells me- no... she threatens me- that we haven't seen the last of her. She's going to try something."

This didn't sound like Mallory, but Will knew his wife would never lie about something like this. "She has no legal ground to stand on, Frankie. "We legally adopted Hannah."

"I know but the last thing I want Hannah to go through is any sort of courtroom battle," Frankie looked at her children.

"It will never come to that," Will promised.

Hannah laughed as Nathan extended his arms and made flying noises.

"That's just right, Nathan," she said. "You're flying!"

Isabelle clapped her hands together as a plane took off. "Wook!"

"Look how fast it's going," Hannah pointed.

"Bye! Bye!" Isabelle waved.

"Bye!" Nathan crowed.

Frankie and Will came up behind them. Frankie smiled as Hannah leaned against her.

"Thanks for letting me come here today," Hannah looked up at her.

"I'd do anything for you," Frankie said smiling back at her. "You know that."

"I know," Hannah grinned up at her. "That's why you're the best."

“So are you,” Frankie replied.

"She is pretty great, isn't she?" Will asked with a grin.

"Daddy," Hannah blushed.

Will pulled on her plait. "What?"

"I'm not THAT great," Hannah said modestly.

Will picked her up. "Yes, you are."

"Me too," Isabelle looked up at them.

"You too," Frankie said tickling her side.

"And me," Nathan said. "Zoom!"

Frankie laughed. "Is that your new favourite word, Nathan Barron?"

"Yes," Nathan nodded.

"Let's go home then," Frankie said trying not to think about Mallory's threats.

Will put a comforting hand on his wife's shoulder. "It'll be okay," he reassured her.

"Promise?" Frankie asked.

"I promise," Will said firmly.

"Let's go home, Daddy," Hannah said.

"Home it is," Will agreed. "And what will we do when we get there?"

"Zoom," Nathan replied with a cheeky grin.

Will laughed. "All right buddy, I'll fly you around for a bit."

"Izzie and me can play school," Hannah announced.

"Kay," Isabelle looked at her sister. "A,B,C?"

Hannah grinned. "Top marks for Izzie."

"That's my smart girl," Frankie said, putting Isabelle's coat on. "When did you learn that?"

"Han," Isabelle announced.

"You are a good little teacher," Frankie smiled.

Hannah beamed at her. "Thanks, Mummy."

"All right," Will tossed Nathan in the air. "Flying home now on Barron Airlines!"

Frankie laughed. "William, you do realise he's never going to want you to stop now."

"I think I'm in for it," Will agreed.

"Oh yes," Frankie said. "You've created a little monster."

"No monster," Nathan shook his head.

Frankie shook her head. "No monsters, buddy. I promise."

"Kay," Nathan said.

Frankie followed her family out of the terminal but couldn't resist turning around to make sure that Mallory wasn't following them.

There was no sign of the other woman and Frankie was relieved.

"Coming?" Will called after her.

"Yes," Frankie hurried after them.

"Mummy?" Hannah asked. "How long is Aunt Mallory's flight?"

"Around seven to eight hours," Frankie answered.

"That's a long time!" Hannah exclaimed. "Too bad, she's not magical, right?"

"Does she even know about magic?" Will asked. "I mean... if Abbie had the skills..."

"She never mentioned anything," Frankie said thoughtfully.

"We'll have to keep it under wraps until we figure that out," Will unlocked the car.

Frankie nodded in agreement.

"I won't say anything," Hannah promised, helping Isabelle climb into the car.

"I know you wouldn't," Will said.

Frankie leaned in and buckled Isabelle into her car seat.

Nathan's eyes drooped closed the moment Will had him in his seat. "The flying has knackered our boy."

"It’s their normal time for a kip," Frankie got into the car.

Hannah yawned. "I'm sleepy too."

"Go to sleep, sweetheart," Frankie turned to look at her. "We'll bring you lot in when we get home."

"O-kay," Hannah said closing her eyes.

Frankie turned on the radio softly and looked over at her husband. "I know Hannah wants to write to Mallory, but I do not want her visiting over there."

"I'll talk to her tonight when she rings to let us know she's home," Will said.

"Okay," Frankie replied.

Will reached over and squeezed her hand. "Don't worry, Frankie."

"I'm trying not to," she said. "But the woman scares me."

"No one scares Frankie Barron, remember?" Will asked smiling reassuringly at her.

Frankie smiled. "That's true. If I can put up with Alicia Knowles..."

"You can put up with anything," Will finished.

"Right," Frankie leaned back in the seat.

Will squeezed her hand once more. “What do you want to do for dinner tonight?”

“I don’t feel like making anything,” Frankie said. “How about pizza?”

"Real pizza?" Will teased.

Frankie opened one eye and looked at him. "Would you and the kids have it any other way?"

"Only if you promise you'll have a slice or two," Will grinned.

"Maybe," Frankie said. "Or I'll order a small vegetarian for myself."

Frankie looked over her shoulder at her three sleeping children. Hannah had her hand on Isabelle's arm.

She smiled. There was no way Mallory could do anything to take Hannah away from them. She loved Hannah as much as she loved Nathan and Isabelle.

She was glad that Will was going to have a word with Mallory. Mallory seemed to think Will was on her side for some reason, but she was in for a rude awakening.

It didn't take them long to get home and Frankie was able to get Isabelle out without waking the toddler up.

"I'll get Nathan and then I'll come back for Hannah," Will said.

"Let's just wake her up," Frankie touched Hannah's arm. "I don't want to leave her out here."

Hannah's eyes blinked open. "Hi, Mummy," she said sleepily.

"I'm sorry to wake you up, baby." Frankie said. "But we're home."

Hannah stretched her arms. "Oh..."

"If you're tired you can go take a kip," Frankie said. "But we're going to order pizza..."

Hannah perked up at this. "Really?"

Frankie nodded. "Of course, if you'd like Brussels sprouts instead--"

"Eww!" Hannah exclaimed. "No way!'

Frankie laughed. "Pizza it is."

Hannah followed her parents inside the house.

"It's cold in here," Frankie complained.

"I'll start a fire," Will said. "Let me just put the little pilot down first."

Frankie nodded and followed him up to the twins' bedroom. She carefully laid Isabelle down in her little bed.

"Don't forget her doll," Hannah said handing it to Frankie. "She's going to cry if it's not with her when she wakes up, Mummy."

"You're right," Frankie set it next to her sleeping daughter. "Thanks, love."

"I think I'll stay up here with her until the pizza arrives," Hannah said gently lying down beside her baby sister.

"That's fine," Frankie said. "I'll come get you."

"I love you, Mummy," Hannah said smiling at her as Frankie draped a blanket over Hannah and Isabelle.

"I love you too," Frankie said softly. "More than anything."

Hannah smiled. "Don't ever let me go, okay?"

"I wouldn't," Frankie said. "Not ever."

Frankie wondered what would prompt Hannah to make a comment like that. She watched her two daughters for a moment before heading downstairs.

"Will," Frankie said, coming into the sitting room.

Will was looking at a menu from their favourite pizza place. "Yes?"

"Hannah just said something really strange," Frankie relayed the comment to him. "Do you think Mallory said something to her?"

Will shook his head. "I don't know, Frankie. I don't know."

"I just don't trust her," Frankie sat down in one of their large, overstuffed chairs.

"I'll talk to her," Will promised.

"Good," Frankie said. "And don't go easy on her, Will. Remember she compared me to David Wright!"

Will nodded. "I know, Frankie. That was completely out of line."

"I couldn't believe she had the nerve to say it," Frankie complained.

"You're nothing like him, Frankie," Will said.

"I know that," Frankie said.

Will leaned in and gave her a kiss. "I'll go and order the pizza."

Frankie held onto his hand a moment. "Thanks, Will."

"You're my girl, Frankie," Will said softly.

She smiled at him for real this time. "You've always been my guy," she said affectionately.

"Don't dwell on this, Frankie," Will said touching her cheek.

"I'll try not to," she said.

"Good," Will said giving her one last kiss.

Frankie sat back and looked into the fire. She wondered again what Hannah's comment had meant.

"Don't ever let me go," Frankie said aloud.

"What?" Will asked coming back in.

"Nothing," Frankie said looking at a photograph of her oldest daughter.

"She's okay," Will sat down across from her.

Frankie nodded. "I know."

"You won't have to worry about Mallory for awhile," Will said.

"She said that we hadn't seen the last of her," Frankie said.

"She's Hannah's aunt," Will said. "She's going to be part of Hannah's life whether we like it or not."

Frankie didn't like that actually. And there was no way she was letting Hannah go across the world like that all by herself to visit Mallory. For all Frankie knew, Mallory would get her hands on Hannah and never let her come back.

"Frankie if she ever was to go visit Mallory, at least one of us would go with her," Will pointed out.

"Too right we would," Frankie said.

"So stop worrying," Will told her.

"Yes, sir," Frankie said saluting him.

"Smartarse," Will said.

"When will the food be here?" Frankie asked with a grin.

"Soon enough," Will replied. "Thought I'd make some popcorn and we can watch a movie tonight with the kids."

"That's perfect," Frankie said. "And just what we all need."

"Good," Will grinned at her.

"I feel like things are getting back to normal," Frankie said grinning back at him.

"Yes," Will motioned for to come join him on the sofa.

Frankie sank down beside him on the sofa and rested her head on his shoulder.

"You know," Will said. "There's pizza on the way, but I wouldn't mind a little Frankie Gai Pan first..."

"You wouldn't?" Frankie grinned.

"It's been awhile," Will said.

"It has, but maybe we should wait until after dinner," Frankie said. "The pizza will be here soon and what if one of the kids wakes up?"

"You're going to hold out on me?" Will teased.

"Just until tonight," Frankie said grinning at him. "And I promise it will be worth the wait..."

Will gave her a kiss. "I'm looking forward to it."

Frankie nudged him. "You should be."

"I'll be waiting," Will said dramatically.

"Mummy!" Nathan called out from upstairs.

"And there we go," Frankie said, getting up.

"Zoom," Will joked.

292. Chapter 292

Authors’ note: This chapter brings Harry/Hermione back to the forefront. We hope you enjoy it ! Also---we’re looking for someone to submit fan art for any of our characters and any scenes. If you are an artist or you know of someone who might submit fan art to us, please let us know! Portkey.org staff coerced begged blackmailed requested us to include this plug:

· PK ROR - NC-17 forum

After a loooong hiatus, we’ve reopened our NC-17 board called the ROR (Room of Requirement). There will be explicit content in this forum thus making it strictly for adults (over 18's) only! To get your ROR pass, please head over to the PK ROR forum.

· PK Spotlight

Keep your eye out for the Spotlight Project, with the first issue in June! The Spotlight project team would interview fellow HP shipmates, most of whom would be PK members but may also include guests. This is another attempt for all of us to get to know our fandom-mates better. You might be our next interviewee! For more info and if you’re interested to join, please visit our PK Spotlight forum.

For more PK News, please visit PK News Forums or alternatively PK’s LiveJournal.

***************************************************************************************************************************

Normally Ethan enjoyed a stakeout- especially one where he was with his father. But all he wanted to do right now was go home and see his wife and daughters. He was hoping their suspect would hurry and come to the bank they were waiting by so they could bring him in.

Their suspect had been setting up Muggle investors over the past year. He had stolen millions of pounds from the investors and had set up thousands of accounts in Wizarding banks all over the world.

Harry looked at his watch. "His appointment here is half past five," he said. "So he should be by anytime now."

Ethan nodded. He scanned the adjacent buildings and caught sight of a posh restaurant. Maybe when they were through here, he'd stop in and grab something to bring home.

Harry followed his son's glance. "I'm hungry too," he said.

"Why didn't we think to bring something to eat?" Ethan asked.

"I guess it would seem a bit too out of place," Harry said. "With all these pubs around, who would sit out here and eat something?"

"True," Ethan said. Ethan reached into his pocket. "I was going to show you this earlier. It's a photo we took yesterday of Kiera and Gwyn with Maddie..."

Harry grinned as the photographic Kiera waved to him.

"I know I'm biased," Ethan said proudly. "But, they're gorgeous, aren't they?"

"They sure are," Harry agreed.

"Blue would have been in the picture, but he was sleeping," Ethan said with a grin. "Kiera told him he had to kip."

Harry laughed. "She's turning into Maddie, isn't she?"

"Absolutely," Ethan grinned. "Maddie wanted me to give that photo to you and Mum."

"Your mother will love it," Harry said.

"How is Mum?" Ethan asked. "I haven't seen her in awhile? She okay with the empty nest?"

"She's dealing with it," Harry replied.

Ethan nudged his father. "How about you? You miss the brat and her little dog, too?"

"Not the dog so much," Harry replied.

Ethan laughed. "But your baby girl...."

"Of course I miss Saffy," Harry said. "But now she's got her own to take care of."

"She's a mum," Ethan said shaking his head. "I can't believe it."

"I can't either," Harry admitted.

"She's still ickle Saffy to me," Ethan said.

"She's always be my baby girl," Harry said.

"Just like those two will always be mine," Ethan said motioning to the photograph in Harry's hands.

Harry was about to say something else when he stood up straighter.

"What?" Ethan asked. "Do you see him?"

Harry squinted. "That's... Hermione."

Ethan followed his father's gaze. "That can't be Mum..."

The woman in question was coming towards them on the other side of the pavement. She wore a long beige coat and a knitted hat on her head.

Harry knew his wife and he knew without a shadow of a doubt that this woman was Hermione.

"But..." Ethan was confused. "What's she doing out here?"

Harry did not know the answer to that one. The last he'd heard, his wife was working late at the Ministry.

"Dad," Ethan nudged him as another figure came up behind his mother. They began to talk and Hermione started laughing.

Harry was speechless as he saw that the other person was a man. A man who seemed to know his wife quite well.

They talked for a few minutes before Hermione followed the man into the restaurant that was there.

Ethan turned to look at his father. "Dad, come on. I'm sure it's nothing. Maybe he's a colleague..."

"I know everyone that works up at the level she's at," Harry replied tightly. "I don't know that person."

Ethan laughed.

"Dad, Mum would never, ever see another man. You know that."

"Yes but--" Harry began.

Harry saw through the glass window where his wife and the man were seated at a table.

"Dad maybe it's a wizard from another country and they wanted to have a meeting in a place where they wouldn't be bothered," Ethan pointed out.

Inside the restaurant, Hermione was looking at her menu. The cooking class she'd taken these last few months had been such a great release for her. Here, she could be herself and not worry about messing up or making a fool out of herself. And she was becoming a better cook. She couldn't wait to impress Harry with her new talent.

Tonight, their teacher had decided to take them for an elegant meal at a restaurant owned by one of her friends. After the meal, they were going to tour the kitchen.

"I think I'm going to splurge a bit," Hermione said. "Everything here looks good."

Her dinner companion nodded. "I have to agree. In fact, I think I'll take Stacey here some night."

Hermione smiled. "Your fiancée is going to love this place, Joe. And she'll love that you took this class."

"I hope so," Joe replied. "I've really learned a lot."

"Me too," Hermione agreed.

"And except for a few times in class, I've done really well," Joe said. "Stace will be so surprised."

Hermione reached across the table and gave his arm a reassuring squeeze.

"What the hell," Harry said, unable to stop watching his wife through the window.

"Dad---" Ethan grabbed his arm. "Come on---"

"Ethan I want to know what is going on," Harry said.

"But look," Ethan hissed. Their suspect was just making his way to the bank.

"Damn it!" Harry grumbled.

"Come on," Ethan said, leaning back.

"Fine," Harry replied tersely. He and Ethan got out of the car and headed into the bank.

"Dad," Ethan said once they were inside. "Keep your mind on this. You're getting jealous over nothing."

Harry wondered if he was. His wife was hiding something from him. Every Monday evening, she arrived late and she had a flush to her cheeks. He had thought it was harmless, but now given what he'd just seen, he wasn't so sure.

"Dad," Ethan poked him hard. "It's time."

Harry nodded. "Right."

His mind was not at all on the arrest they made- even though it pleased Remus Lupin to no end they'd finally brought this case to an end.

"Good work," Lupin said clapping Harry and Ethan on the back. "Father and son--you always have made a great team."

"Yeah," Harry muttered. "Just great."

"Dad's just a little distracted," Ethan told Lupin.

"Is everything okay?" Lupin asked Harry.

"Dad thinks Mum's on a date," Ethan said.

"That's ridiculous," Lupin told Harry.

"That's what I tried to tell him," Ethan said.

"You didn't see what I saw," Harry told Lupin.

"No," Lupin said thoughtfully. "But, I do know your wife."

"She's MY wife," Harry said, growing angry.

"And you think she's seeing someone else based on spotting her at a restaurant?" Lupin asked. "Harry, she's the Minister. She meets with people everyday."

"Dad I was there too," Ethan pointed out. "And I'm sure it was nothing."

"I'm going home," Harry announced.

"Where I'm sure you'll find out everything's fine," Lupin told him. "Regardless... good job today. I'll see you in the morning."

"Good night," Harry said distractedly.

Ethan shook his head. He bade his supervisor and father goodbye and hurriedly headed home to see his family.

"Daddy!" Kiera squealed toddling into the room and holding her hands out.

"Hey you!" Ethan scooped her up. "How's Daddy's girl?"

"Buh singed for me," Kiera told him.

Ethan smiled. "Blue sang for you?"

Kiera nodded. "And ba-by."

"Have you been helping Mummy with Gwyn?" Ethan asked.

"Come see," Kiera said.

"You know, you're turning into quite the chatterbox," Ethan told his daughter.

Kiera giggled as Ethan carried her into the nursery. Maddie was leaning over the crib while Blue flew over humming a song.

Maddie grinned. "Come and see the look on her face, Ethan. She loves it."

Ethan joined his wife and smiled when he saw the newborn gazing up at them.

"Go, Buh!" Kiera clapped her hands together.

Blue flipped around in the air happily.

Maddie grinned. "She cried when he stopped."

"Looks like the little guy has yet another fan," Ethan replied.

Maddie nodded and kissed him on the cheek. "How was your day? You're home early so the stakeout must have gone well?"

"Yeah we nabbed our guy," Ethan nodded.

Maddie smiled. "That's great. We had a good day, too. I took the girls over to see Saffy and Ellie."

"Oh yeah?" Ethan asked interestedly.

Maddie nodded. "Gwyn and Ellie hit it off immediately."

"I'm sure they have a lot in common," Ethan joked.

"They do," Maddie said laughing. "Dirty nappies at the top of the list, of course."

"Always a great conversation starter," Ethan said. "Dad and I saw something... interesting... when we were on the stakeout." he told her about seeing Hermione at the restaurant.

"I'm sure it's harmless," Maddie said.

"That's what I tried to tell him," Ethan said.

"He didn't want to believe you?" Maddie asked.

"I'm not sure," Ethan looked at her. "I mean... why would my mother even think of cheating on my dad? I think it's pretty ridiculous."

"I do too," Maddie said. "Your parents have one of the most solid marriages in the world. There's no way either of them would ever do that to each other."

"Exactly," Ethan replied, shifting Kiera to his other hip.

Maddie smiled. "I made some soup for dinner."

"I was going to stop and pick something up," Ethan said. "But then we nabbed the guy, so..."

"No worries," Maddie said. "Come on, we'll go and have dinner. Right, Kiera?"

"Eat," Kiera nodded.

"That's my girl," Maddie said happily.

At the Minister's mansion, Harry was waiting for his wife's return. He'd seen her over three hours ago at the restaurant and she still wasn't home.

He paced back and forth across the sitting room. He wanted to talk to her as soon as she came through the fireplace.

It was just gone ten when his wife appeared. She was wearing the coat and hat he'd seen her in earlier.

"Harry, you startled me!" Hermione exclaimed.

"Sorry," Harry said, his tone edged.

"It's okay," Hermione said, taking off her coat. She moved to kiss him hello.

"Why are you wearing that stuff?" Harry asked, turning away.

"What stuff?" Hermione asked setting her coat and bag down.

"That hat," Harry replied. "And the coat?"

"I had a meeting," Hermione lied.

"What kind of meeting?" Harry asked.

Hermione took off her hat. "Just a meeting and I'm knackered."

"Who was it with?" Harry pressed.

"Mary Middleton with the Muggle Ministry," Hermione replied.

"I see," Harry replied evenly. "Where did you have this meeting?"

Hermione wondered why he had so many questions. "In her office, why?"

Harry just stared at her for a few long moments.

"How about you?" Hermione asked. "How was the stakeout?"

"We got our guy," Harry crossed his arms. "Did you get yours?"

"I beg your pardon?" Hermione asked.

"I asked if you got your guy," Harry said. "You know, the one you looked so cosy with in the restaurant?"

"Harry---" Hermione started to say.

"I was right across the street with Ethan," Harry said. "Watching you."

"You were spying on me?" Hermione asked, folding her arms.

"I was on a stakeout and Ethan and I saw you with that bloke," Harry said sharply.

"You have it all wrong," Hermione told him.

"Then explain it to me," Harry demanded.

Hermione sighed. "I didn't want you to find out like this."

Harry's jaw dropped.

"You see, for quite some time, I've felt like I needed something," Hermione explained. "That I was missing something."

"That's really great, Hermione," Harry said sarcastically.

"Hang on---you---you think I've been seeing someone behind your back?" Hermione asked him. "You have got to be kidding me!"

"Well you've been gone every Monday night since August--" Harry began.

"And automatically you assume I'm having an affair?" Hermione asked.

"I saw you meeting a bloke outside a diner- with you wearing Muggle clothing like a disguise. What was I supposed to think?" Harry asked.

"Well, obviously not to assume the worst about me!" Hermione retorted. "I'm your wife and I think after all these years, you'd trust me!"

"I do," Harry snapped. "That's why I haven't asked what you've been up to until today!"

Hermione put her head in her hands. "As I was saying, I didn't want you to find out like this. For the past few months, I have been keeping something from you."

"What?" he asked.

"I've been taking a cooking class at the recreational centre in Surrey," Hermione told him. "I haven't had so much fun in ages, Harry. They don't know who I am there---they think I'm just Hermione Potter, a regular woman. I'm just---me."

Harry stared at her. "You're taking a cooking class?"

Hermione walked over to her bag and pulled out the textbook for her course. She handed it to him.

"You're taking a cooking class?" he asked again.

Hermione nodded. "Since August. The biscuits I've brought home...the chicken parmesan I brought home last week that you loved so much? It wasn't from a restaurant. I made it. Well, Priscilla, Joe and I made it together. They're in the class, too."

"You MADE that?" Harry asked in disbelief.

Hermione nodded. "Yes."

"Why didn't you just tell me?" Harry asked.

"Because I wanted to surprise you!" Hermione replied in exasperation.

Harry looked properly shamed. "Oh..."

"The class is over in two weeks," Hermione said. "We were all going to surprise our family and friends with a dinner that we'd all prepared."

"I'm sorry," Harry apologised. "Hermione... I'm an ass."

"You are a big ass," Hermione said. "And for your information, the man you saw me sitting with is Joe. He's engaged to a woman that he too was going to surprise with his new culinary skills."

Harry sat down on the sofa and ran his hands though his messy hair.

"From the moment I met you, I knew there was never going to be anyone else for me," Hermione said sitting down beside him. "I thought you knew that, Harry."

"I do," Harry said. "I just didn't know what else to think..."

Hermione put her hand on his knee. "I love you and only you, you big goof."

Harry smiled crookedly at her. "Forgive this big stupid prat?"

Hermione hugged him. "If you act surprised at the dinner in two weeks."

"I can do that," Harry held her tightly.

Hermione smiled. "You really liked the chicken parmesan, didn't you?"

"It was fantastic," Harry replied.

"I'm still learning," Hermione said. "But, it's been so much fun to tackle something new."

Harry smiled at her. "You always did love to learn."

"It's not just that," Hermione said. "It's the anonymity of it, too."

"Sometimes it's nice not to be recognised," Harry agreed.

"We know that more than most, don't we?" Hermione asked, resting her head on his shoulder.

"Yes we do," Harry kissed the top of her head. "But I love you no matter what."

"I love you too," Hermione said. "Are you hungry? I could actually make you something now."

"Like what?" he asked.

"Well, the instructor says I made the best lemon chicken," Hermione replied.

Harry was surprised. "You cooked something the best out of everyone?"

Hermione swatted at him. "Yes, I did and before you ask, I didn't cast any spells to make them think that, either!"

"I didn't say that," Harry held up his hands. "Okay. If you're up for it, I'd love some lemon chicken."

Hermione grinned. "You know I'm always ready to show off."

Harry stood and helped her to her feet.

"You can keep me company while I cook," Hermione said grinning at him.

"I'd be happy to," Harry replied. "I'll keep my mouth shut too."

"No, you can talk," Hermione said leading the way into the kitchen.

"No I mean I won't give you any coaching," Harry said. "I'll just let you work your magic."

Hermione busied herself with the preparation while Harry watched. She told him about the restaurant they'd visited. "It was amazing, Harry."

"Tell me more about it," he said.

"It's a French restaurant," Hermione said. "We had the best dinner and then we toured the kitchen and even watched the chef in action."

"That's great," Harry replied, pouring them both a glass of wine.

"We should go back there some time," Hermione said looking at him.

"Okay," Harry agreed.

Harry watched in awe as his wife prepared the chicken.

"I've really learned a lot with this course," Hermione told him. "The professor is really great. She's patient and takes her time showing us things."

"I can see that," Harry said smiling at her.

"I'm just proud of myself too," Hermione said. "Cooking is something I was never able to get the hang of."

"Until now," Harry said.

Hermione turned and beamed at him.

"I could never understand why you weren't any good at it actually," Harry said. "You're great at everything else, you know."

Hermione smiled as she slid the dish into the oven. "Yes... I know."

Harry reached into his pocket. "Ethan wanted me to give you this photo. It's a new one of the girls."

"Oh let me see!" Hermione exclaimed.

Harry chuckled and handed her the photo.

Hermione gushed over it. "Those two are just beautiful little girls!"

"They are, aren't they?" Harry asked. "Ethan says Kiera's becoming quite the little talker, too."

Hermione smiled. "Once I'm done with this class, I want to have everyone over and I'm going to make dinner."

"You'll blow them all away," Harry said.

"But let's keep that a secret for now," Hermione told him. "I want to surprise everyone."

"My lips are sealed," Harry promised.

Hermione sat on his lap. "I never did get my kiss hello."

"Let's see what we can do about that," Harry said before giving her a kiss.

Hermione purred deep in her throat as Harry put his arms around her waist.

"I really am sorry," Harry said resting his forehead on hers.

"I know," she said softly.

"There's no one else for me either, you know that, right?" Harry asked.

Hermione smiled at him. "You better believe I know that."

Harry gave her another kiss. "I know it, too. I just got a little carried away. It took all I had not to go into that restaurant and casting a curse at that bloke."

"I'm glad you held it together," Hermione said wryly. "He's not exactly my type, you know. I like them with dark hair, green eyes... and very pigheaded."

Harry chuckled. "Pigheaded?"

"Just a little," she teased, running her fingers through his hair.

"I'm not that bad, am I?" Harry asked grinning at her.

"You married me," Hermione pointed out. "I was pretty stubborn you know.... had to get you to notice me somehow."

"Stubborn as a mule," Harry said poking her side.

"Surely there's a better way to phrase that," Hermione poked him back.

"You're the one who is so great at phrasing things," Harry laughed.

"That's true," Hermione said. "So you could say I’m wonderfully stubborn."

"You are," Harry said. "Especially when you agree with me. When we're on different sides of the fence..."

Hermione laughed.

Harry smiled at her. "That chicken smells delicious."

Hermione went to go check on it. "It really is amazing... cooking is pretty simple. I'm not sure why I never got the hang of it."

"Me either," Harry said. "You're great at everything else."

Hermione closed the oven door and looked back at him. "I've had years of practise with... everything else."

"Oh yes," Harry grinned. "Everything else..."

Hermione settled back on his lap, her arms winding around his neck.

"I taught you a few things," Harry said.

"You taught me many, many things," Hermione said, resting her forehead on his.

"You were a quick learner," Harry said running his hand up her arm.

She grinned at him. "I am a quick learner. And I always like to practise."

"After dinner?" Harry asked.

"You better believe it," Hermione touched the side of his face.

A few minutes later, Hermione set a plate of lemon chicken and fresh vegetables before her husband. She sat down across from him. "Give me your honest response," Hermione said. "If you hate it, you can tell me."

Harry cut into the piece and tasted it. "Wow..."

"Good wow?" Hermione asked. "Or Eww, gross, wow?"

"This tastes amazing," Harry told her. "Really, Hermione. This is excellent."

"You're not just saying that?" Hermione asked.

"I promise," Harry said. "I'm really proud of you, Hermione."

Hermione beamed at him. "It is good, isn't it?"

He grinned at her. "I can't wait to see everyone's face when they taste your meal."

"They'll be eating their words," Hermione said. "I've been listening to them give me hell for it for years."

"Eating their words and licking their plates," Harry joked.

"Especially Ronald Weasley," Hermione said. "He's always making snide comments about it."

"This probably means he'll be coming over more often now," Harry groaned.

Hermione laughed. "He is your best mate, Harry."

"Yeah," Harry replied. "I've kept him well fed for years."

"Hermione!"

Harry groaned. "And there's our second favourite stray."

Hermione swatted at him. "Be nice. Lav, we're in the kitchen!"

"What smells so delicious?" Lavender asked as she breezed in.

"Me," Harry said dryly.

"Ugh," Lavender waved him away.

Hermione gave her cousin a hug. "What brings you by so late?"

"Is it late?" Lavender asked. "Oh- I'm sorry. I forget about the time difference sometimes."

"You say that every time," Harry pointed out.

Lavender gave him a dirty look. "I don't recall asking your opinion."

"What brings you by?" Hermione asked before her husband could make another comment.

"I had some new sketches for the Saffron line, inspired of course, by Baby Ellie. I wanted to show you the designs," Lavender said handing Hermione her book.

"Oh how lovely," Hermione said. "Harry, go get that picture of Maddie and the girls, would you?"

"Sure," Harry replied pushing back from his chair.

"These are fantastic," Hermione smiled at the sketches of baby clothing.

"They are fabulous aren't they?" Lavender asked.

"Quite so," Hermione agreed. "You have such an eye for these things."

"Seamus is filming so I didn't have anyone else to show them to," Lavender said.

"How are Gabriel and Alexa doing over there?" Hermione asked. "We do miss her here."

"They're both busy," Lavender said. "And Gabe---"

Lavender's voice trailed off. "That chicken looks really good.."

"Would you like some?" Hermione asked.

"Do you have enough?" Lavender asked.

"Of course," Hermione said.

Lavender grinned when Harry came back into the room and handed her the photograph of Gwyn, Maddie and Kiera. "Oh!" Lavender squealed.

Hermione smiled proudly at her grandchildren as she brought Lavender a plate.

"Did you make this?" Lavender asked Harry.

Harry shook his head. "No, it's actually an up and coming chef."

"Really?" Lavender was intrigued. "Who? What restaurant?" Hermione shot her husband a warning look.

"It's top secret," Harry said. "But, we're having a dinner party in a couple of weeks and you'll get to meet the chef in person."

"Oh," Lavender said. "Well... this is fantastic."

Hermione took a sip of her wine to hide her smile.

"I have to have the flat aired out so it's all ready when we get here in a few weeks for Christmas," Lavender said.

Hermione smiled. "I can't wait."

"What a fun Christmas this will be," Lavender said. "With the new babies, and Kiera..."

"And you, of course," Harry said before draining his glass.

"You are such a--" Lavender began.

"Harry's really looking forward to having all of our family and friends here for the holiday," Hermione interjected. "Aren't you, Harry?"

"Most of them," Harry replied.

Lavender glared at him. "You are so pigheaded."

A grin spread across Harry's face. "Yes I know."

"That was an insult," Lavender reminded him.

"Not really," Harry replied.

Lavender rolled her eyes. "Whatever."

Hermione handed Lavender her sketchbook. "I can't wait to see these clothes when you finish them."

"I hope to have them finished by Christmas," Lavender said. "And I'll have outfits for Gwyn, Kiera, and Ellie."

"They'll look beautiful," Hermione said loyally.

Lavender smiled. "Well, I'll leave you and Mr. Wonderful to it."

"Finally," Harry muttered.

Hermione gave her cousin a hug. "Thanks for bringing the sketches."

"Anytime," Lavender said. "And I'll see you soon. That's a promise." she directed her last words at Harry.

With a pop, she disappeared.

Hermione shook her head. "Harry, would it kill you to be nice?"

"I was being nice," Harry said, bringing his dishes to the sink.

"Uh-huh," Hermione said.

He waved his hand, sending the rest of the dirty dishes into the sink and the rest of the chicken into the icebox.

"You know, you and Lavender do have a lot in common," Hermione said thoughtfully.

"We both love you," Harry said.

"Not just that," Hermione said. "You're both very family-oriented and loyal."

"Of course we are," Harry replied as he waved his hand again to clean the dirty dishes. They both watched as they flew into the cupboard.

"And you both like to show off," Hermione continued.

"I'm nowhere near as bad as she is," Harry protested.

"Of course not," Hermione cracked.

"I'm not," Harry replied.

"You're both terrible," Hermione said.

"She's shallow, flighty, self-absorbed," Harry said.

"Harry she's my cousin," Hermione frowned. "Come on. I thought the two of you really didn't dislike each other."

'I like Lavender," Harry reassured her.

"You never act like it," Hermione said. "You're always having a go at her."

"I'm sorry," Harry said sincerely.

"It's not me you should apologise to," Hermione said.

"She's always having a go at me too, you know," Harry pointed out.

"Only when you start it first," Hermione said. "Come on, Harry..."

"I'll apologise the next time I see her," Harry promised.

Hermione smiled at him. "Another reason why I love you," Hermione said.

Harry wrapped his arms around her.

Hermione smiled as she pressed her face into his shoulder. "I love you, Harry James."

"Chef Hermione," Harry said holding her close. "I love you, too."

Hermione grinned at him.

"You want to go upstairs?" Harry whispered in her ear.

"Do you even need to ask?" Hermione asked huskily.

Harry picked her up. "Okay then..."

"You can still take me off my feet," Hermione said dreamily.

"Poor, pigheaded me?" Harry teased.

"Amazing, generous you," Hermione corrected.

"I like that even better," Harry said carrying her upstairs.

Hermione rested her head on his shoulder.

"What have you made for dessert, Mrs. Potter?" Harry asked.

"A little of me," she said, her eyes half lidded.

Harry carried her into the bedroom and kicked the door shut. "That's not going to do."

"No?" she asked in surprise.

"A lot of you is what I had in mind," Harry said with a grin.

"Oh," Hermione laughed. "Well... I think we can make that happen."

"Hermione, Hermione, Hermione," Harry said huskily.

She laughed, letting her head fall back. "Come on then..."

293. Chapter 293 Reunion

Authors’ note: This chapter finds a little mini-reunion of the Hogwarts gang when Saffron and Andrew invite Beth, Peter, Mimi, Jake, RJ and Audrey over for dinner.

Andrew made a goofy face at his daughter as he changed her. Ellie gave him a goofy smile in response. Andrew laughed. He and Saffron were having a few friends over for dinner and Saffron was downstairs cooking while he dressed Ellie.

"What do you think little one?" Andrew asked. "Do you want to wear your pink, yellow or green pyjamas?"

Ellie smiled at him again. "Pink it is," he said with a grin.

Andrew dressed her in the pyjamas and then picked her up and hugged her to him. "Want to get see Mummy and Puddles?"

He kissed the side of her soft little head and Ellie cooed in response.

Downstairs in the kitchen, Saffron was hurrying about trying to make sure everything was ready. It wasn't going to be a large get together, just Beth, Mimi, Jake, Peter, RJ and Audrey. Saffron had owled Alexa to see if she and Gabe could pop over for a bit, but they were both knee deep in studying for exams.

"Ooooh, careful baby," Saffron said when she almost tripped over her dog.

Puddles barked and looked eagerly up at her.

Saffron smiled. "You can have some leftovers tonight."

"You do realise RJ's coming?" Andrew asked as he came into the kitchen with Ellie. "He doesn't even know the meaning of the word leftovers."

"I'll set some aside for you then," Saffron told her dog.

"Good idea," Andrew grinned. "Someone wanted to see their mum..."

Saffron wiped her hands on a towel. "How is my gorgeous girl?" she asked, taking her daughter.

"In a good mood," Andrew said. "And she thinks I'm the funniest person on the planet."

Saffron grinned. "She definitely takes after you."

"Can I do anything to help?" Andrew offered.

"Would you mind setting the table?" Saffron asked.

"Of course not," Andrew replied.

"Thanks," Saffron stole a quick kiss from him.

"You know, we could always invite your old nemesis Mary Ellen," Andrew joked as he grabbed the plates from the cupboard. "Seeing as this is a bit of reunion..."

"Ugh," Saffron wrinkled her nose. "I wouldn't expose Ellie to that."

Andrew laughed. "Only kidding."

Saffron held Ellie in her arms and looked down at her daughter. "I hope you're up for company, love. Everyone's going to want to see you tonight."

Ellie stared at her with wide eyes.

Saffron kissed her on the forehead. "I love you so much, baby girl."

"Everything smells delicious, Saf," Andrew said admiringly.

"Thanks," Saffron said. "It's my mum's lasagne recipe."

Andrew grinned. "Brilliant."

"I think we're all ready," Saffron surveyed her meal.

There was a knock on the door and Saffron and Andrew grinned at each other.

"Your first guests, Ellie." Saffron said.

Saffron carried the baby with her and Andrew opened the door to reveal Jake and Mimi.

Mimi squealed as soon as she saw them. "LET ME HOLD HER!"

Jake put his hand to his ear. "Meems---warn a bloke before you do that!"

"She's just so cute!" Mimi gushed, ignoring her boyfriend.

"She is, isn't she?" Saffron asked. "Want to hold her?"

"Do you even need to ask?" Mimi shoved her cloak and bag at Andrew.

Andrew laughed and looked at Jake. "Alright, mate?'

"How's it going?" Jake asked with a grin.

"Great," Andrew replied. "Good to see you guys."

"We're so glad you could make it," Saffron said, leading them all into the sitting room.

Mimi looked adoringly at Ellie as she sat down. "You look just like your mum."

"Luckily her disposition seems to be more Andrew's," Saffron joked.

"Oh, Saffy," Mimi laughed, shaking her head. "I think she's got the best of both of you."

Saffron smiled at her daughter. "She's been an angel so far."

There was another knock on the door, but this time, their guests didn't wait to be welcomed inside. "Where's the food?" RJ asked with a grin as he and Audrey came around the corner.

"Hello to you too," Andrew said sarcastically.

Audrey hit him on the arm. "RJ---"

Saffron shook her head. "I don't have enough food for you."

"Saf, come on," RJ pleaded.

"Just kidding," she grinned at him.

"Never kid with a Weasley where food is concerned," RJ said.

"Can I get you lot anything to drink?" Andrew asked.

"A beer," RJ said.

"Me too," Jake replied.

"White wine, if you've got any," Audrey said. "Thanks Andrew."

"Let me see my goddaughter," RJ said to Mimi.

"In a minute," Mimi said. "I just got her."

"Why don't you go and help Andrew?" Audrey suggested.

"Trying to get me out of here?" RJ teased.

"Why would I want to do that?" Audrey asked. "Us girls need some girl time, right?"

"Come on mate," Jake said to RJ.

"Boys," Mimi said shaking her head. She looked at Ellie. "Ellie, you'll never, ever understand them."

Ellie cooed up at her, making Saffron and Audrey laugh.

"Your Aunt Beth and me can tell you loads about them," Mimi said.

"Where is Beth?" Saffron asked. "I thought you four were coming together."

"We were, but she had to stop off somewhere first," Mimi said, just as the doorbell chimed. "Speak of the devil..."

"Oh good," Saffron went to go open the door.

Beth engulfed her in a big hug. "Saffy!"

"Hi Beth!" Saffron exclaimed. "Hi Peter- we're glad you could make it."

"Where's the baby?" Beth asked.

"Mimi's got her," Saffron said. "Come on in."

Beth didn't even bother with her coat as she rushed into the sitting room.

"Let me see her!" Beth demanded.

Audrey laughed as Mimi shook her head. "I just got her Beth!" Mimi exclaimed.

"You're in line after RJ," Saffron said.

Beth pouted.

Andrew, RJ and Jake came back into the room. "My turn," RJ said to Mimi.

Mimi reluctantly handed Ellie over to him.

"Don't scare her now," Beth joked.

"Very funny," RJ said smiling at Ellie.

"Get used to seeing him around," Andrew said to his daughter.

Ellie promptly spit up on RJ.

Beth and Mimi both fell onto the sofa laughing as RJ looked horrified.

Audrey stifled a giggle. "RJ, it's okay...breathe."

"That's my girl," Saffron took her daughter back from RJ. "I'll go clean her up."

"What about me?" RJ grumbled.

"Use your wand," Andrew said with a grin.

Saffron carried Ellie into the kitchen. She grabbed a burp cloth and wiped her daughter's face. "It's okay, sweetheart."

Ellie's little face was red and she looked on the verge of tears.

Saffron patted her daughter's back comfortingly and started to hum a lullaby.

Andrew came into the nursery after a few minutes. "Is she okay?" he whispered.

Saffron nodded. "She's fine."

"Good," Andrew was relieved.

"How's RJ?" Saffron giggled, remembering the look on his face when Ellie had spit up on him.

"He's fine," Andrew said. "Drama Queen."

Saffron laughed. "Come on, then. Let's go back to the party, right Ellie?"

Ellie blinked and yawned.

Saffron kissed her forehead. "Let's go."

"Sorry about that," Saffron said. "She just had a bit of an upset tummy."

"If she could talk she'd tell you sorry," Andrew said, clapping RJ on the back.

"Good thing she's cute," RJ said.

Beth looked at Saffron. "Can I hold her now?"

"Sure," Saffron grinned, carefully passing her daughter over.

"Can we dress her up?" Beth asked eagerly.

"What?" Saffron asked.

"Do her hair and dress her up in cute outfits," Beth replied. "It would be so much fun!"

"She doesn't have any hair yet," RJ said.

"We could transfigure a wig," Beth said as if the answer should be obvious. "I think she'd look lovely with brown ringlets."

RJ groaned. "Okay, Serena Starr..."

Beth blushed. "Oh...maybe that isn't such a good idea then."

"Once she gets older we'll have lots of things for her to wear," Saffron said.

"How about we go and eat?" Andrew asked. "Saf's made her lasagne."

"Oh perfect," RJ said happily.

"I'm going to put Ellie down while we eat," Saffron said. "She's a little sleepy."

"Can we wake her up after dinner?" Beth pleaded, handing her back.

"Maybe," Saffron said.

"I'll be right back," Saffron promised, carrying Ellie into the nursery.

"She's not a doll, Beth," Mimi whispered.

"I didn't think she was," Beth hissed.

"Do her hair and dress her up?" Mimi asked.

"She's a little girl," Beth said. "I'm sure she'd like to play dress up."

Peter put his arm around his girlfriend. "Beth, she's a baby."

"I know that," she said. "But when she's older--"

"When she's older, I'm sure she'd love to play dress up," Peter said leading her into the kitchen.

Beth smiled. "I can't wait."

Saffron came back into the kitchen and smiled at them. "Ready to eat, are we?"

"Starved, Saf." RJ was already seated at the table.

"Andrew and I were really happy to get everyone together like this," Saffron said.

"We were all dying to come see the baby," Audrey said. "You don't have to twist our arms!"

Saffron grinned. "I didn't think I would."

Everyone sat down and Saffron brought the lasagne to the table. "RJ, let everyone else take a piece before you finish it off."

"Yeah, yeah," RJ waved his hand.

Andrew brought the garlic bread and the salad and set them down. "Everyone, please dig in."

"This looks fabulous," Mimi said. "I just wish Alexa could have been here, too."

"Me too," Saffron said wistfully. "But they've both got their final exams... and she'll be home in a few days."

"I can't wait to see her," Beth said.

"I bet she's got a tan," Mimi said.

"We should visit her," Beth said wistfully. "I hate rain...rain...snow...snow...rain...rain."

"It'll be Christmas soon, and then spring isn't long after that," Peter said.

"I can't wait," Saffron said sharing a look with Andrew.

"We were thinking of taking a holiday somewhere warm in January," Jake said, looking at Mimi.

"Were you now?" Saffron grinned at Mimi.

Mimi blushed. "We aren't sure where we're going to go just yet... maybe the south of Spain or something like that."

"What do your mum and stepfather have to say about that?" Saffron teased.

Mimi shot her a look. "Very funny, Saf."

"They love me and so does her dad," Jake said.

"What's not to love?" Mimi asked with a grin.

Saffron grabbed a piece of garlic bread. "I'm going to spend the next couple of weeks enjoying my daughter and my fiancée and getting back into shape for Quidditch and for my wedding."

"How much time do you get off to be with Ellie?" Audrey asked.

"Six months, technically," Saffron said. "But we'll see how things go. I can bring her with me if I have to."

"What about you, Andrew?" Beth asked. "Do you get leave too?"

"I could take one after Saffron's is over," Andrew nodded. "But we're playing it by ear."

"I'm so happy for the two of you," Audrey said.

"Do you ever hear from that horrid Natalia?" Beth asked. "I mean, I know she’s a friend of yours, Audrey..."

Andrew and Audrey both turned red. "Um... she's on my team," Andrew murmured. "She's doing all right..."

"And she's still a really good friend," Audrey said quietly.

"I'm sorry..." Beth bit her lower lip. "Sometimes I speak before I think..."

"It's okay," Audrey reassured her. "Natalia's really a great person."

"She was actually the one who talked some sense into me," Saffron admitted. "The day of the charity Quidditch match."

"I'd forgotten about that," Beth said. "I'm sorry---"

"It's okay," Andrew assured her. "You're Saffron's friend; it's natural for you to want to stick up for her."

Beth smiled in relief.

RJ helped himself to a third serving of lasagne. "This is excellent, Saf."

Saffron beamed at him. "High praise from a Weasley. Thank you."

"What's for dessert?" he asked with his mouth full.

"It's a surprise," Saffron said shaking her head.

"Sounds intriguing," Peter said.

"So what's it like being a dad?" Jake asked. "You and Saffy getting any sleep?"

"Actually yes," Andrew replied. "Ellie's already been mostly sleeping during the night."

"She's just reeling you in," RJ said. "She's giving you a false sense of security."

"How would you know?" Audrey asked teasingly.

"Jon and Allie were like that with Caroline," RJ remembered. "I remember the two of them boasting about how Caroline was such a good baby---she never cried and she always slept like a log. Well, when she hit four weeks old...watch out. They were getting about two hours sleep a night between the two of them."

Andrew and Saffron exchanged a panicked look.

Audrey swatted at him. "Hey---I'm sure that Ellie's going to be an angel."

"Hopefully she'll continue to take after Andrew," Saffron said.

"And not be a drama queen like you," RJ said as he reached for another piece of bread.

"Shut it RJ," Saffron said.

"You cried your entire childhood," RJ recalled.

"Because I was around you so much," Saffron retorted.

"That's because you'd cry like a watering hose when you didn't get your way," RJ said.

"And it always worked," Saffron said smugly.

"And blaming everything on me," RJ said.

Saffron laughed. "And that always worked too!"

"Always worked for me, too," Andrew grinned. "Especially in school. McGonagall always believed you were the instigator."

"Usually I was," RJ admitted.

"The bad influence?" Audrey teased.

"You know it," RJ flirted.

"He was, wasn't he, Jake?" Andrew asked.

"Pretty bad," Jake agreed. "Of course, I didn't see much of you two until I started going out with Meems here..."

Mimi squeezed his hand.

"Hogwarts held a lot of fun times for us," Beth agreed. "Sometimes I still can't believe we aren't students anymore."

"I know," Mimi agreed. "In many ways it seems like just yesterday that we were there."

"And now you two have a kid," RJ said. "And will be getting married soon."

"Speaking of which," Beth said eagerly. "What's going on with the wedding plans?"

"Once Ellie's a few months old I'll get back to them," Saffron said. "Drew and Darla are holding everything for me. I don't have to worry about a venue because we're having it at the mansion, but we have to get going on everything else by March at the latest."

"You're going to be a beautiful bride," Beth gushed.

"Thanks Beth," Saffron said. "And you guys will be gorgeous bridesmaids. I can't wait for us all to go shopping for the dresses."

"I thought you were going to have us wear robes," Mimi said.

"Would you rather wear robes?" Saffron asked.

"I don't know," Mimi said thoughtfully. "I've never really thought about it..."

"I have," Beth said. "And I vote for dresses."

"We'll see what Alexa wants when she comes home," Saffron said. "And we can always try on some of both."

"And your nieces," Mimi pointed out.

"I do have a lot of bridesmaids," Saffron nodded.

The baby monitor picked up Ellie's cries.

"That's me," Saffron said. "Excuse me for a moment."

"And so it begins..." RJ said in a dramatic voice.

"Sod off," Saffron said before hurrying to the nursery.

Ellie was still crying when Saffron came into the room. "What is it, love?" Saffron asked.

Ellie's little face was red. "Ooooh..." Saffron said. "Maybe we should bring your Uncle RJ in here for some nappy changing."

Saffron carried the baby over to the changing table. "My best girl," Saffron said soothingly.

She quickly changed her daughter's nappy and cuddled the infant to her. Ellie's cries had subsided and she was looking up at Saffron.

Saffron smiled at her and sat down in the rocking chair. Ellie's eyes were still on hers. Tears welled up in Saffron's eyes as she looked at the perfect little baby in her arms.

"You are so amazing," Saffron whispered. "The most perfect thing I've ever had a part in."

Ellie cooed happily in Saffron's arms.

She laughed softly. "I know what you want. You want to go down and join the party."

Ellie looked up at Saffron and gave her a gummy smile.

Saffron stood up with the baby and then carried her downstairs.

"Someone wanted to be a part of the action," Saffron said, carrying her in. "Andrew, do you know where her bouncy chair is?"

"In the sitting room," Andrew said standing up. "I'll get it."

"Thanks," Saffron replied.

"She's okay?" Mimi asked.

"Just a dirty nappy," Saffron replied. "Should have had you come with me, RJ."

RJ grimaced. "No thanks."

"You'd better get used to it," Audrey nudged him.

"Something you want to tell us, Audrey?" Mimi asked.

"What?" Audrey asked. "Oh goodness no! I'm not pregnant! I just meant for babysitting purposes."

"We will definitely take you up on that someday," Saffron said.

"I didn't--" RJ began.

"You're her godfather," Audrey interjected.

"I know," RJ said. "But I just hope she doesn't spit up on me again."

"News flash," Saffron said. "That's what babies do, RJ."

RJ looked at his girlfriend then at Saffron. "I think I'm just going to keep eating," he said. "Not going to win this one."

"Good idea," Peter chimed in.

Andrew kissed Ellie's cheek as he buckled her into the seat. "That's my girl."

He set the chair down on the floor and bounced it gently with his foot. "That'll keep her happy while we eat." he said.

"She's the cutest baby," Mimi gushed.

"She is," Saffron said. "Of course, I am biased..."

"Your parents have to be over the moon," Beth said. "Especially yours, Andrew."

"Mum's already offered to watch her when Saf and I are both back at work," Andrew replied.

Saffron grinned. "She's really helping us out."

"It just seems so weird," Mimi said. "That you two have a kid..."

Andrew chuckled. "Good weird?"

"Very good weird," Mimi grinned. "It's just so... grown up, I guess."

"I know," Saffron said. "Some days, I wake up and think what's going on here? I have a house, a fiancé and a baby."

"Sometimes it can be a little overwhelming," Andrew agreed. "But I look at what I've got and it's worth it."

Saffron leaned over and gave him a kiss.

"Awwww..." Beth and Mimi gushed together.

Saffron blushed. "Okay...who is ready for dessert?"

"I'm ready for this great surprise," RJ leaned back as he took the last piece of garlic bread.

"Well," Saffron said. "Since we were eating Italian, I thought I would stick with that theme..."

"Gelato?" RJ asked.

Saffron shook her head. "No...Tiramisu."

"Brilliant!" RJ said happily.

"I had a feeling you'd be pleased," Saffron said. "Beth, can you help me?"

"Sure," Beth got up.

Saffron smiled. "So, how are things going at the boutique?"

"Just fine," Beth said. "We've picked up with everyone buying robes for Christmas gifts."

"Well," Saffron said. "I was talking to my Aunt Lavender the other day..."

"Oh?" Beth asked.

Saffron reached for the plates. "Yes and she needs an intern and she asked if I knew of anyone---"

Beth gaped at her. "WHAT?"

Saffron hid her smile. "I said I couldn't think of anyone who knew about fashion and would want to go back and forth from here to Los Angeles..."

"Saffy are you KIDDING me?" Beth asked.

Saffron laughed. "Beth, I wouldn't kid you about this. She'd like to meet with you next Tuesday when she's in town, if you think you could find the time, that is."

"I can find the time," Beth said quickly. "In fact I'm already there. With bells on. Or without bells on. Whatever you think she'd like."

Saffron gave her a hug. "You'll be great. Just be yourself and my Aunt Lavender will love you."

"She's always been nice to me when I met her before," Beth said. "Thanks Saffy. This really means a lot to me."

"Of course," Saffron smiled. "You deserve it."

Beth smiled gratefully as she carried a stack of dessert plates to the table.

"Everything okay?" Mimi asked her best friend.

"Perfect, actually." Beth told them what Saffron had done.

Mimi grinned. "Beth, this is your dream!"

"Totally my dream," Beth agreed.

"You should bring your design sketches, too," Saffron told her. "Aunt Lavender would love to see them."

"I will," Beth nodded.

RJ nudged Audrey. "Beth's like Lavender Version 2.0."

Audrey grinned.

"Did I sound like a Muggle just then?" RJ asked.

"Quite so," Audrey nodded. "I'm proud."

RJ chuckled. "I'm brushing up on my skills for Christmas with your family."

"I'll keep you occupied," Audrey promised. "Just in case."

RJ squeezed her hand. "Or just keep feeding me. That always shuts me up."

"In that case, give him the biggest piece of tiramisu," Andrew joked.

RJ glared at him. "Thanks mate."

Andrew just grinned at him as he continued to bounce Ellie in her seat.

"I don't know how you live with this guy," Saffron said to Audrey. "You must be on a mission from a higher power."

"Yes well..." Audrey smiled at him. "He's got loads of good qualities..."

"He can burp the alphabet?" Saffron asked.

"I'll try it right now," RJ retorted.

"Don't you dare!" Saffron exclaimed. "Or no more dessert..."

Audrey patted him on the leg. "RJ's fantastic. He's the best guy for me."

"In all seriousness," Saffron said. "He's been a great friend to me and I think of him like my second annoying brother."

"That's wonderful," RJ said sarcastically but he grinned.

Saffron grinned back at him. "And he is Ellie's godfather..."

"She'll get spoiled by me," RJ said.

"And Alexa too," Andrew said. "I swear, we're not going to need clothes for her for quite awhile with all the outfits she's bought."

"She told me she went overboard," Mimi nodded.

"Overboard is putting it mildly," Saffron said. "But, she's my best friend and she was with me when I found out..."

"She cares a lot about you," RJ said.

"She's like my sister," Saffron said getting a little teary just thinking about it. "I miss her. I miss her everyday and I can't wait until she's here for Christmas."

"It's only a few more days, sweetheart," Andrew told her.

"I know," Saffron said. She looked down at Ellie. "And I know she can't wait to see you again."

Ellie blinked as Andrew continued to bounce her.

"We'll all have to do something together!" Beth announced. "The Gryffindor girls back together again!"

"We'll plan something," Saffron promised. "Once she gets back and lets me know what her plans are while she's home."

Beth grinned. "It's going to be the best holiday ever!"

“Oh definitely,” Andrew looked down at his daughter, who was happy and content in her bouncy chair.

Saffron looked over at Audrey. "You're more than welcome to join us, Audrey."

"That might be nice," Audrey nodded. "Thanks, Saffy."

Saffron smiled. "No problem. We'd love to have you."

"Maybe the rest of us will get a chance to hold Ellie," Audrey said jokingly. "If RJ doesn't get hold of her again."

"Very funny," RJ said.

"He dated Serena Starr," Saffron joked. "He's used to getting spit up on.”

RJ groaned. "That was bad, Saf."

"But very true," Beth said scrunching up her nose. "Did you hear her latest song? Merlin's beard, I think Ellie could write better lyrics."

"She's gross," Saffron said. "I never liked her."

"Really?" Andrew asked dryly. "You hid it so well, too."

Saffron poked him. "Okay, Andy."

Andrew groaned. "Ugh, Saf."

Saffron looked at the clock. "I've got to feed Ellie."

"Why don't we all go in the sitting room then?" Mimi suggested. "While Saffy feeds the baby?"

"I won't be long," Saffron said. "I'll go in the nursery. You lot finish up dessert."

Saffron picked Ellie up from her seat.

The infant let out a cry and Saffron patted her back. "I know, love..."

"We'll clean things up in here," Audrey offered. She wanted to talk to RJ anyway.

"You don't have to," Andrew protested.

"We want to," RJ said. "Besides, I can sneak another helping of that lasagne."

Andrew shook his head. "I told Saf we wouldn’t have to worry about leftovers..."

The other couples and Andrew left them alone. Audrey started gathering up the plates. "I've been doing a lot of thinking, RJ..."

"About what?" RJ looked over at her.

"I was thinking maybe we could find a new place to live," Audrey said after a moment.

"Why would you want to do that?" RJ asked.

"Well..." Audrey said. "I can't do magic. And where we live... I can't even bring my parents or Becca or anyone there because they don't know."

"Oh," RJ said quietly.

"It's not that I don't like where we live," Audrey explained. "Or that I want you to hide who you are..."

"I didn't think about that and how much it would hinder you," RJ admitted. "I'm sorry."

"Don't apologise," Audrey said. "I don't regret moving in with you at all. I just... I don't like having to be escorted in and out of that pub just to get home. I think we could find a place to live where you can still do your magic but it's not out in the open."

"We can definitely do that," RJ said. "Did you have any place in mind?"

"I looked in the paper at school and there are a few flats that I thought looked nice," Audrey said. "We can go look at them tomorrow, if you want."

"I'd like that," RJ said putting his arms around her.

Audrey smiled at him. "Really?"

"Of course," RJ said smiling down at her.

Audrey gave him a kiss. "Thank you RJ."

"Anything for you, you know that," RJ said hugging her to him.

Audrey wound her arms around him. "You're the best. I don't care what anyone else says."

RJ chuckled. "What has everyone been saying?"

"Just like at dinner," Audrey said. "Teasing you and all that..."

"Oh, those jokers always give me a hard time," RJ said shaking his head. "They're just jealous of my overall awesomeness."

Audrey laughed. "You of the supreme awesomeness."

"I like that," RJ said grinning at her.

Audrey gave him a kiss. "I love you, Weasley."

"I love you too, Aud," RJ said.

"Let's get all this cleaned up," Audrey said.

RJ grabbed the bread basket and popped a piece of the garlic bread into his mouth.

Audrey began to run water into the sink but RJ stopped her.

"What?" Audrey asked.

"I can take care of this with one move," RJ waved his wand.

Audrey laughed and held up her hands. "By all means..."

"How about we make some coffee," RJ suggested. "Or some tea."

"I'll do that while you work your magic," Audrey grinned.

"I bet you I'll finish first," RJ joked.

"I'm not going to take that bet," Audrey said nudging him playfully.

RJ nudged her back before muttering a cleaning spell to have the kitchen cleared up.

"What I wouldn't have given to be able to do that when I was a kid," Audrey said as she put the tea kettle on the stove.

"I'd like to say it came in handy, but we weren't allowed to use magic until we finished school at 17." RJ said.

"Ah," Audrey laughed. "So you did have to wash dishes and make your bed the Muggle way then."

"Pretty much," RJ admitted.

"RJ?" Audrey asked while she waited for the kettle. "Um...if we ever have children, would they be---would they be like you or me? Would they be magical, I mean?"

RJ looked at her. "I don't know, Aud." he said. "There are witches out there who have given birth to Muggles... they're called Squibs."

"Oh," Audrey said thoughtfully.

"We wouldn't know until the kid was eleven," RJ explained. "Or if they showed signs of magic beforehand."

"If she or he was a squib, you'd be okay with that?" Audrey asked.

"Of course I would be," RJ said. "It would be our kid. I'd love it regardless."

Audrey smiled. "Don't worry. I was just thinking about it is all."

"You had me nervous for a minute there earlier tonight," he told her.

Audrey laughed. "No bun in this oven, RJ." She patted her stomach.

"Not yet anyway," he said hugging her again. "We're in no rush, right?"

"Absolutely not," Audrey said leaning in for a kiss, but the kettle started to boil. "Tea's done."

"I've got it," RJ said.

In the nursery, Andrew was standing in the doorway watching as Saffron fed their daughter.

"She's almost done," Saffron said softly.

Andrew smiled. "She was pretty hungry, huh?"

"Very," Saffron nodded.

Andrew sat down beside her. "I love you, Saffy."

"I love you too," she smiled at him.

"So, what should we do tomorrow?" Andrew asked. "You still up for Christmas shopping?"

"Sure," Saffron nodded. "Ellie's first outing."

Andrew handed Saffron a burp cloth.

"Thanks," Saffron put it over her shoulder. "I'm already a pro at this."

"Yes, you are," Andrew said.

"And you're awfully good at changing nappies," Saffron hinted with a grin.

"I've already changed more than you," Andrew said. "I'm keeping a tally."

"Oh you are?" Saffron asked.

Andrew nodded. "You have some catching up to do, Miss Potter."

Saffron shook her head. "What about all the ones I've changed while you're at practise?"

"We're not talking about that," Andrew said waving his hand dismissively. "Those don't count."

"Why not?" Saffron asked.

"Because the only ones that count are the ones where we're both here," Andrew replied. "I mean, if a tree falls in the woods and no one's there to hear it..."

"Andrew!" she exclaimed.

"What?" Andrew asked.

"That's not fair." she replied. "I've changed just as many as you."

"Probably more," Andrew admitted.

"It's not a contest," she replied.

"No, it's not," Andrew agreed. "Besides, who would want to win it if it were?"

Saffron laughed. "Not me."

Andrew took the baby from Saffron. "Hey, baby girl. Let's bring you back downstairs to say good night to our crazy friends."

Saffron followed her fiancé into the sitting room.

"There's the lady of the hour," RJ said grinning at Ellie and making a goofy face.

Ellie grinned back at him.

"She likes me," RJ boasted.

"Of course she does," Saffron said. "You can hold her if you want- she just burped so she shouldn't have an upset tummy."

RJ nodded. "Okay."

Saffron smiled as RJ carefully took Ellie.

RJ sat down with the baby who cooed happily in his arms.

"You have the touch," Audrey sat next to him and gazed down at the infant.

"I have a lot of practise with being an uncle," RJ said as he held out his hand. Ellie wrapped her tiny hand around his finger.

Audrey gently stroked Ellie's soft head. "I can't get over how sweet she is."

"She's my daughter, isn't she?" Saffron asked with a grin.

"Then I'm surprised she's quiet," RJ joked.

"Hilarious, RJ," Saffron said rolling her eyes.

"All joking aside, she is really sweet," RJ said.

Saffron smiled. "She is."

"It's getting late," Beth said regretfully. "Pete and I have to go."

Saffron gave her friend a hug. "Good luck on your interview. You're going to be great."

"Thanks again, Saffy." Beth said. "This is really incredible of you."

Andrew shook Peter's hand. "See you, mate."

"Congratulations again," Peter said. "Thanks for having us over. Dinner was great."

"We should go too," Mimi said.

"You guys don't have to," Saffron protested.

"It's late," Mimi said giving Saffron a hug. "We had a great time."

"I'm glad you lot came," Saffron said. "I'll ring you once I talk to Lexie."

"Night, Audrey," Jake said. "RJ."

"It was nice seeing you both," Audrey smiled.

RJ waved. "Jake, I'll see you on the weekend for the pickup game."

"Definitely," Jake replied. "Looking forward to it."

"Ellie's first party," Andrew said after he'd seen the two couples out.

"And she's still ready for more, right Ellie?" RJ asked. Ellie's response was a yawn.

Audrey laughed. "You're putting her to sleep."

"We'll need you to come by every evening and right before her kips now," Andrew joked.

"Yeah right," RJ made another silly face at the baby.

Ellie gave him a sleepy smile in response.

"We shouldn't impose," Audrey nudged him. "They probably need to get her to bed."

"All right," RJ said, giving Ellie back to Andrew. "We'll leave you to it."

"Thanks for coming over," Saffron said. "Audrey, I'll be in touch."

Audrey grinned. "Thanks for inviting us."

"Anytime," Saffron gave her a hug.

RJ put his arm around his girlfriend. "We'll see you later."

Saffron grinned at him. "Maybe in a month or so we'll hit you up for babysitting."

"Do you pay well?" RJ asked.

"Free food," Saffron replied.

"We're available for nights and weekends," RJ said.

"Definitely," Audrey nodded. "Just let us know."

"Night," Saffron said as she and Andrew saw them out.

"I'll put her to bed," Andrew told Saffron.

Saffron nodded. "Thanks, Andrew."

She went into the sitting room and cleaned up the teacups and straightened the sofa cushions. It had been a nice night and she had enjoyed spending time with her friends. It had felt so normal.

She noticed Puddles lying down in the corner of the kitchen and she knelt down. "I was wondering where you were." She scratched behind his ears.

Puddles whined and looked up at her.

"Have you been feeling neglected?" Saffron asked. "I'm sorry, baby."

Puddles licked her hand.

Saffron picked him up and hugged him.

"You'll always be my baby," Saffron kissed the top of his head. "Come on, how about a treat?"

Puddles barked in response.

Saffron grinned. "Come on baby."

Andrew came back into the kitchen while Saffron was feeding Puddles a treat. "Someone's glad to have all your attention," he commented with a grin.

"I feel bad, I haven't had much time for him," Saffron said.

"I think he understands," Andrew said.

"I hope so," Saffron scratched behind the dog's ears.

Andrew kissed the top of head.

"Ellie go down okay?" Saffron asked. "She was sleepy..."

"Out like a light," Andrew said.

"Okay," Saffron stood up and stretched.

"It was a great party, Saffy," Andrew said.

"Thanks," Saffron said.

Andrew came up behind her and massaged her shoulders.

Saffron closed her eyes. "What time do you have practise tomorrow?"

"Eight," Andrew replied.

"We should get to bed then," Saffron turned around.

Andrew gave her a kiss. "Great idea."

Saffron leaned against him as they headed for their bedroom. Puddles bounded ahead of them and was sitting on the bed when they came into the room.

Saffron laughed. "Puddles, what are you doing?"

"He thinks he's sleeping there," Andrew said.

"Big, bad Andrew says no," Saffron said to her dog.

Puddles lifted his head and howled.

Andrew laughed. "Making me the bad guy."

"Just one night," Saffron said, taking her pyjamas out of the drawer.

"Tomorrow I'll be the good guy again, you mean?" Andrew asked.

"You're always the good guy," Saffron said. "For me."

Andrew grinned. "That's my girl."

Saffron went into the loo to brush her teeth and plait her hair so she wouldn't have to bother with it in the morning.

When she came back into the bedroom, Andrew was asleep with Puddles resting on his feet. Saffron laughed and shook her head. She decided to get one last peek at her daughter before joining her fiancé.

She crept down the corridor and into the nursery. Ellie was sleeping peacefully, the mobile above her bed playing a quiet tune.

Saffron smiled. "Sweet dreams, Ellie."

She went back into the bedroom and crawled into bed, snuggling up to Andrew.

"Night," Saffron whispered.

Andrew mumbled something unintelligible

Just before she drifted off to sleep, Saffron thought about all that she'd gone through to get here. Tonight, she'd had a normal night---with her closest friends and her daughter. She was finally in a good place.

*****************

Portkey.org staff coerced begged blackmailed requested us to include this plug:

· PK ROR - NC-17 forum

After a loooong hiatus, we’ve reopened our NC-17 board called the ROR (Room of Requirement). There will be explicit content in this forum thus making it strictly for adults (over 18's) only! To get your ROR pass, please head over to the PK ROR forum.

· PK Spotlight

Keep your eye out for the Spotlight Project, with the first issue in June! The Spotlight project team would interview fellow HP shipmates, most of whom would be PK members but may also include guests. This is another attempt for all of us to get to know our fandom-mates better. You might be our next interviewee! For more info and if you’re interested to join, please visit our PK Spotlight forum.

For more PK News, please visit PK News Forums or alternatively PK’s LiveJournal.

Thank you.

PK Staff

*********************************************

294. Chapter 294 Birthday!

Authors’ note: This is a fluffy chapter with Ethan, Maddie and the Potters and Weasleys celebrating little Kiera’s 1st Birthday! We hope you enjoy and please take a moment after you read to let us know what you thought!

‘Ethan, Maddie and Kiera were settling in quite nicely with the new baby. Kiera and Gwyn were now sharing a room. Kiera was a sound sleeper and she rarely woke up when Gwyn would cry during the night.

Though Maddie had her hands full with two daughters, she didn't want to neglect Kiera's first birthday. It was hard to believe that her oldest daughter was now one year old.

"I think from now on we should just combine their birthdays into one party," Ethan said.

"They are so close," Maddie said smiling at him as she finished icing the cake.

"That looks fantastic," he said winding his arms around her middle.

Maddie leaned against him. "I just hope Kiera likes it."

"She'll love it," Ethan said. "She's your daughter, after all."

Maddie laughed. "Why don't you go and wake her up from her kip?"

"Will do," Ethan stole a kiss from her.

Ethan walked upstairs and into the nursery. To his surprise, Kiera was already awake and just looking up at the ceiling.

"What's going on, baby girl?" Ethan asked.

"Daddy," Kiera's eyes brightened when she saw him.

"Did you have a nice kip?" Ethan asked.

Kiera stretched her little arms towards him.

Ethan picked her up. "Happy Birthday, Kiera Faith."

Kiera giggled. "Hi. Baby?"

Ethan carried her over to Gwyn's crib. "She's still sleeping."

"Oh," Kiera said.

Ethan kissed her cheek. "You want to go downstairs and see Mummy?"

Kiera nodded.

"And Blue?" Ethan asked.

"Buh!" Kiera said enthusiastically.

Ethan tickled her side. "Come on with you, then. Let's go and see that crazy pixie."

Maddie met them in the corridor. "Happy Birthday my sweet little girl."

Kiera giggled. "Mummy!"

"Everyone's coming over to see you," Maddie told her daughter.

"Em?" Kiera asked.

"No Em," Ethan shook his head.

"But they sent over a present for you," Maddie said. "And so did your Uncle Josh and Aunt Lizzy."

Kiera looked quizzically into the sitting room.

"But, your grandparents will be here," Maddie told her. "And your Aunt Julie, too. Saffy wanted to be here but she's home with Ellie."

"No Sa?" Kiera asked.

"No, but we'll see her tomorrow," Maddie promised.

Kiera frowned.

Ethan kissed the top of his daughter's head. "She wanted to be here, love. Maybe we'll sneak over there later and send her and Andrew a piece of cake?"

Kiera smiled up at him.

"That's my girl," Ethan grinned back at her.

"Hello?" Hermione's voice called out. "Ethan?"

"Hi!" Kiera called out.

Hermione and Harry appeared in the doorway. "Happy Birthday, Kiera!" Hermione exclaimed.

Kiera grinned and kicked her little legs excitedly.

Harry held out his arms and Ethan handed her over to his father. "Fly!" Kiera told him excitedly. Harry laughed as he lifted her over his head.

"When it gets warmer I'm going to take her up on a broom with me," Ethan said.

Hermione grimaced. "Ethan, no!"

"Mum it'll be fine," Ethan said.

"I took all three of ours up when they were Kiera's age," Harry said. "They all liked it, except for Julie who screamed her head off."

"That's because she's Mum in disguise," Ethan joked.

"I think Hermione just brainwashed her," Harry said winking at his wife.

"Very funny," Hermione said.

Harry spun Kiera around and the little girl squealed happily.

A cry was heard from upstairs. "Gwyn's awake," Maddie excused herself.

"Baby," Kiera told Harry.

"That's right," Harry said. "You are a smart girl, Kiera."

"I'm really glad you guys could make it," Ethan said leading them into the kitchen.

"We wouldn't have missed it," Hermione assured him.

"It's not everyday that your granddaughter turns one," Harry said making a funny face at Kiera. She reached out and grabbed his glasses.

"Hey," Harry blinked. "Sweetheart... I need those."

Kiera put the glasses on.

Ethan laughed. "What are you doing Kiera?"

"That's so cute!" Hermione said laughing, too.

"It's very funny," Harry said. "But I can't see..."

Kiera took off the glasses and handed them back to him. "No see, Gampa."

Harry blindly reached for them. "How did she even know what those are for?"

"She's brilliant," Hermione said affectionately.

"She's becoming so verbal," Ethan said. "I can't believe how many words she knows at a year old."

"She'll be solving math problems soon," Harry joked, tickling Kiera's side. "Right, birthday girl?"

Kiera giggled. "Where Buh?"

"In his cage in the sitting room," Ethan said. "I’ll go let him out."

"Brace yourself," Hermione joked.

Ethan laughed. "I'll be right back."

Maddie came into the kitchen with Gwyn. "Next year, Ethan and I decided we're going to do a joint party for the both of the girls."

"Great idea," Hermione said.

"How's she doing?" Harry smiled at his newest granddaughter.

"She's great," Maddie replied.

"Look at those blue eyes," Hermione gushed.

Maddie smiled. "Would you like to hold her?"

"Of course," Hermione didn't hesitate.

Blue chose that moment to fly into the room and he immediately zeroed in on Kiera. Kiera clapped her hands and squirmed in Harry's arms.

"Buh!" Kiera screamed happily.

Harry laughed and set her down.

Kiera stumbled, grabbing one of the chairs to keep herself standing.

"Way to go," Harry said smiling down at her.

Kiera giggled and reached for Blue.

Ron and Luna appeared in the doorway. "Where's my birthday girl?" Luna asked.

"HI!" Kiera cried. "Hi!"

"There she is!" Luna exclaimed.

Kiera let go of the chair and tried to propel herself over to Luna.

Luna knelt down. "You can do it, baby. I'm right here."

"She's trying to walk," Ethan said. "Took her first few steps in the sitting room the other day."

Luna and the others watched as Kiera tentatively took a step forward.

"That's good," Ron encouraged.

Kiera held out her hand.

"That's it," Luna reached for her.

Kiera giggled and put her arms around Luna's neck. "Gam-ma."

"What a big girl," Luna said proudly.

Ron felt a little emotional as he watched his granddaughter. She was so like Maddie.

"I think a big girl like yourself should get a big girl birthday present," Luna told her.

Kiera giggled.

"What do you say?" Maddie prompted her daughter. "Thank..."

"...you," Kiera finished.

"Good girl," Maddie said approvingly.

"Let's get this party started," Ethan said.

"Buh!" Kiera looked for the pixie.

Blue flittered at her side just as Julie arrived with Nick. "Sorry, we're late!" Julie exclaimed. "I had to chaperone the Hogsmeade trip."

"How was it?" Harry asked.

"I had to break up two teenagers snogging in their carriage," Julie said.

"At least it wasn't one of our daughters," Nick said.

Julie laughed. "Thankfully."

"I bet they're looking forward to coming home for break," Harry said, sitting down next to Hermione who was still cuddling Gwyn in her arms.

"They are," Julie agreed. "They're both eager to meet Gwyn and Ellie."

Gwyn let out a tiny cry as she heard her name and Kiera craned her neck to see her sister.

"Baby, baby, baby," Kiera said.

"Such a talker," Ethan said, lifting her up.

"She's made out quite well," Julie said looking at the gifts on the table.

"Everyone sent a little something over," Maddie said.

"One of the benefits of coming from a large family," Ron said to Kiera.

"Sa?" Kiera asked.

"She wishes the brat could be here," Ethan said as he set a tray of food down on the table.

"You know," Saffron said hitting him on the arm. "You can stop calling me that anytime now."

Ethan turned. "What are you doing here?"

"Andrew and I decided we couldn't miss Kiera's first birthday," Saffron said.

Kiera beamed at her. "Sa!"

"Hello birthday girl," Saffron said happily.

"Thanks for coming," Maddie said smiling at her. "It means a lot."

"Of course," Saffron hugged her sister in law.

Blue sat down on the tray of Kiera's high chair.

"What are you looking for?" Maddie asked her pixie.

Blue cackled at her.

"You are something else," Maddie held out her hand.

Blue flitted over to her.

"I bet you want some cake," Maddie said to him.

Blue nodded and he turned to watch as Ethan brought the birthday cake out. "Okay...let's all sing to the birthday girl."

Kiera's eyes grew wide as Ethan came over to her with the cake.

"That's for you," Saffron told her.

Kiera stared around as everyone sang happy birthday to her then looked at her father. "Eat?"

"Blow out your candle first, baby girl," Ethan told her.

"I'll help you," Saffron said. "One, two, three... blow!"

Kiera didn't know what to do, but she mimicked what her aunt did. To everyone's delight, the candle flickered out.

"Way to go," Saffron kissed her niece's cheek. "You get your wish."

Kiera clapped her hands. "Cake!"

"I'll cut a piece for everyone," Ethan said carrying it back into the kitchen.

Ethan needed a moment to himself to reflect on what this day meant. A year ago today, his wife had gone through labour with Kiera and he hadn't been there.

He looked over at Saffron, who was sitting down next to Andrew and Ellie.

Saffron looked up and met his eyes.

She seemed to understand what he was thinking because she got back up and came over to him. "I still think about all that too sometimes. Not as much as I used to... but still."

Ethan nodded. "You know, you're the only one who understands what it was like."

"I know," she agreed. "It's something... I can't really talk to anyone else about. No one else was there and went through what we did."

"And look at us now," Ethan said. "You're a mum and I'm a dad."

"I can't believe it," Saffron looked over at Andrew and Ellie. "So much has changed."

"For the better," Ethan agreed.

Saffron nodded. "I feel so happy now. I feel very fulfilled."

"I can tell," Ethan said.

Saffron hugged her brother. "We've got everything we wanted."

"And then some," Ethan said patting her back. "If anything good came out of that, we both learned not to take anything for granted."

"Absolutely," Saffron nodded.

Ethan grinned. "Come on...we'd better get this cake sliced before Maddie and her dad go mental."

Saffron smiled. "I’ll help you serve it."

"Thanks, Brat," Ethan said.

"Thanks Saffy," Ron said when she brought him a piece. "But you'd better make it two."

"Pace yourself, Uncle Ron," Saffron joked.

"Just saying," Ron said, wolfing down half the slice.

"Maybe I should have just made one cake for you," Maddie said thoughtfully.

"That would have been an excellent idea," Ron nodded.

"I'll remember that next year," Maddie promised.

"What about for Christmas?" Ron fished.

"Speaking of that," Hermione said. "Harry and I would like to host all of you on Christmas Eve."

"That sounds like fun," Andrew said.

"If you're going to cook, I'm definitely there," Saffron said to her father.

Harry hid his grin. "I promise you'll have a great dinner," he said.

"I can't wait," Ron said.

Harry shared a private smile with his wife.

Kiera dipped her finger in the icing and grinned before sticking it in her mouth.

"That's a girl," Ron nodded at his granddaughter. "I have to show you the finer ways of eating."

Kiera laughed.

"And I'm sure your cousin Emma will want a hand in that," Ron touched a bit of icing to the little girl's nose.

Kiera giggled. "Gampa."

Ron never got tired of hearing any of his grandchildren talk to him. "Can you get it off?" he teased.

Kiera looked at him for a moment before dipping her hand back in the icing. She held out her finger.

"Eat," she said to Ron.

Ron looked down at his empty plate. "My cake's all gone, love."

"Eat," she held her finger out to him.

Ron shook his head. "That's yours, baby girl."

"Eat," Kiera insisted.

Ron laughed. "Okay...""

Ron ate the bit of frosting off her finger. "Delicious!"

Kiera grinned. "Yummy."

"Here you go," Saffron put a bigger piece down in front of Ron.

"That's my girl," Ron said happily. "Thanks, Saffy."

"I'll take care of you, don't worry," Saffron joked.

"Maddie made the cake," Ethan told everyone.

"It's delicious," Hermione said. "I'd love the recipe."

Ron guffawed. "What for?"

"Just... uh... just in case I have Harry make it for me," Hermione covered.

"Can I have the recipe?" Ron mimicked. "Minister Potter's going to burn down the estate."

Hermione turned red.

Ron chuckled. "That's a good one, Hermione! I still remember you burning the toast last summer at the beach house, remember?"

"She's not that bad," Harry said in defence of his wife.

"Or that time that she put salt in that cake," Ron continued. "Or that---"

"We get it," Hermione said sharply.

"Uncle Ron, how are things at the shop?" Nick asked, changing the subject.

"We're having a great season," Ron said.

"And how are things at the paper?" Maddie asked her mother.

"Going well," Luna nodded. "We're doing some big features starting in the new year."

"Not to mention the first photos of this little one," Andrew said looking down at Ellie.

"You should see the little red dress Lexie got her," Saffron said. "I'll have her in it on Christmas Day."

"Baby?" Kiera asked.

"That's right," Saffron said, bouncing Ellie a little in her arms.

"Baby, baby," Kiera said looking back and forth between Gwyn and Ellie.

"I think that's her favourite word," Ethan said.

"Ellie's first word is going to be 'mama'," Saffron said confidently.

"That's because you're already coaching her," Andrew said.

"I am not," Saffron said smiling down at her daughter.

"It's all right," Andrew said. "Because we know she'll grow up a Wimbourne fan."

"Half of a Wimbourne fan," Saffron relented.

"I'm getting there," Andrew said, pumping his fist.

"But, when we play against each other, she's going to pull for me," Saffron said gleefully.

Andrew just shook his head.

"You know there's a chance she might not even like Quidditch," Hermione pointed out.

Saffron and Andrew both gave her a disbelieving look.

"You never know!" Hermione said defensively.

"Yeah right," Ron cracked.

"That little girl has Quidditch in her blood," Ethan said motioning to Ellie.

Hermione frowned. "Perhaps..."

"She might be a free spirit," Luna said thoughtfully. "Like Maddie and Kiera."

"Nothing wrong with that," Ethan said.

Kiera grinned and held up her icing covered finger. "Cake, Dad-dy."

"I see, sweetheart," Ethan told her.

Kiera stuck her finger in her mouth.

Ethan laughed. "Good isn't it?"

"Yum," Kiera said.

"That's my girl," Ethan kissed her head.

"I can't believe she's a year old," Luna said.

"It's gone by fast," Maddie agreed.

"It always does," Harry said. "It seems like just yesterday we were celebrating Saffy's first birthday."

"I hardly remember that," Ethan said.

Saffron grinned at him. "I imagine it was much better than your first birthday, Ethan."

"Why would you say that?" Ethan asked.

"Because I'm Mum and Dad's favourite," Saffron replied. "They didn't tell you because they didn't want to hurt your feelings."

"Here we go," Ethan said.

"Excuse me," Julie said. "I'm the favourite since I was first."

"NONE of you are a favourite," Hermione said. "We love you all equally."

"Absolutely," Harry agreed.

"They'll say that--" Saffron began.

Hermione held up her hand. "Saffy---"

Saffron sat back against the sofa.

"Would you mind if I held my granddaughter?" Harry asked his daughter. "I never get to when your mum's around."

Saffron grinned. "Of course, Dad."

Harry took Ellie from Saffron.

"Hi there," Harry made a goofy face at her.

Ellie looked up at him and gave him a gummy smile.

"She loves you," Saffron said.

Harry smiled. "I love her, too."

"You were always such a good dad," Saffron said. "I know you'll be a good grandparent to her too."

"Thanks, Saffy," Harry said to her.

"Sometimes I look at her and can't believe she's here," Saffron said.

"I feel the same way when I look at Kiera and Gwyn," Maddie said softly.

"That's how I felt when I held this one for the first time," Ethan said, bouncing Kiera.

"I'll never forget the look on your face when you saw her for the first time," Maddie said.

"Neither will I," Hermione said.

Ethan said. "I never expected to come home to this."

"It's been a good year," Harry said. "And I think the next one is only going to get better."

"Too right," Ron agreed. "Bigger and better for all of us."

"Our wedding will come pretty quick," Andrew put an arm around Saffron.

Saffron grinned. "I can't wait."

"Me either," Andrew kissed the side of her head.

"Drew and Darla are looking forward to planning it for you," Maddie said.

"If it's anything like your wedding it'll be more than perfect," Saffron said.

Maddie smiled. "It will be fantastic especially in the gardens at the Minister's mansion. You couldn't ask for a more beautiful setting."

"Definitely not," Saffron said. "And then the reception in the ballroom."

"You ready to dance in front of a crowd?" Maddie asked Andrew.

"I'll do all right," Andrew said with a grin.

"I'll practise with him," Saffron said.

"Of course," Andrew said. "I can't be tripping over her feet."

"You'll be fine," Saffron said. "I don't know why you don't like to do it more often, Andrew."

"Not in my blood I guess," Andrew shrugged.

"It's in mine," Saffron said looking at her parents.

"Still in ours," Harry said. "Maybe one of these days we'll go to a club and have some fun."

"I'd love that," Hermione said.

"Maybe Luna and I will join you," Ron said.

"You guys should do that," Julie said.

"After the holidays," Harry said

"It's a date," Hermione said.

"Daddy?" Kiera asked. "Cake?"

Ethan laughed. "You want some more, baby?"

Kiera nodded.

"Okay," Ethan grinned.

"Just a small piece," Maddie said. "She's still got to have her dinner."

"Right," Ethan said.

"I'll have another piece seeing as how I won't ruin my dinner," Ron got up.

"I thought so," Ethan grinned. "Sit down, Ron. I'll get it."

Ethan cut his daughter a small piece then put the rest of the cake onto another plate. "Here you go," he said to his father in law in a smartarse tone.

"Thank you," Ron grinned.

"And then we can open your presents, Kiera," Maddie told her.

"Oh," Kiera was obviously more interested in her cake.

Maddie laughed. "That's my girl."

"Completely takes after her mum," Ethan said.

After they'd finished their cake, they settled in the sitting room to open presents. Saffron decided to help her niece.

"This one is from your Uncle Jon, Aunt Allie, Adam, Caroline and Emma," Saffron said.

"Em?" Kiera asked.

"That's right," Saffron nodded.

Kiera patted the box.

"Tear the paper back," Saffron urged, showing her one year old niece how to do it.

Kiera did like Saffron suggested. With Saffron's help, she opened the box and squealed when she saw the doll. "Baby!"

"Your very own," Saffron said, handing her the doll.

Kiera grinned and hugged the doll to her.

"You still have more, sweetheart," Saffron told her.

"This one is from Aunt Julie and Uncle Nick and Katie and Ashley," Saffron said setting another present before Kiera.

Kiera looked at it then back up at Saffron.

"We'll open it together," Saffron told her. "Remember like I showed you?"

Kiera touched the wrapping paper.

Saffron laughed and looked over her shoulder. "Blue? Come here and show Kiera how it's done."

Blue cackled as he flew towards the box.

Kiera clapped her hands. "Buh!"

Blue tore open the paper with his tiny little hands.

Inside the box were a set of blocks that played a tune.

Kiera looked at them then over at her mother.

"We can build a tower with those," Maddie told her. "Really high."

"I used to build towers all the time," Saffron said.

"Me too," Ethan remembered. "Thanks for getting those for her, Jules and Nick."

"No problem," Nick said with a grin.

"This one is from your Grandpa Ron and Grandma Luna," Saffron said winking at Luna as she set the present down before Kiera.

This time, Kiera grasped the edge of the paper in her hand and pulled.

Ron grinned. "She's getting the hang of it."

"She's a smart girl," Hermione said.

"Let's see what Grandma and Grandpa Weasley got you," Saffron said.

Ron and Luna had bought her a beautiful plush teddy bear.

"Bear!" Kiera squealed.

"Her first bear," Maddie said fondly.

"It's so cute, Aunt Luna!" Saffron gushed.

Luna smiled at her. "We always like to get all the kids their first one."

"Love bear," Kiera said hugging it to her.

"She really is such a talker," Saffron said. "A lot of words for a one year old."

"She's a smart girl," Ethan said proudly.

"I'm sure Gwyn will be the same way," Luna gazed at the infant in her arms.

"She talks to me all the time," Ethan said with a grin.

"Yeah right," Saffron rolled her eyes.

"She does," Ethan said. "She and I have nice little chats."

"Whatever, Ethan." Saffron said.

"Okay," Hermione said handing Saffron a present. "This one is from Harry and me."

Kiera's eyes grew wide as Saffron placed the very large box in front of her.

Ron nudged Luna. "We can bet it's not a kiddie oven."

"Not yet," Hermione said as Kiera and Saffron pulled away the paper. She knew it might be a bit too early, but they'd gotten Kiera an old fashioned doll house.

"Ooooh!" Kiera clapped her hands.

"Mum that's beautiful," Saffron said.

"We found it at an antique toy shop," Hermione said.

"How lovely," Maddie said. "She can play with this for a long time."

Hermione grinned. "I'm so glad you like it."

"Love it," Maddie nodded. "Thank you, everyone."

By the time Kiera had opened the rest of her presents, she was nearly half asleep. She climbed up into Ron's lap and rested her head on his chest.

Ron kissed his granddaughter's head. "Are you sleepy, sweetheart?"

Kiera nodded.

"Come on," he said. "We'll put you upstairs with Gwyn."

Kiera closed her eyes.

Ron carefully took his granddaughter upstairs and laid her in her crib. "Sweet dreams, love."

Kiera looked up at him for a few moments before she closed her eyes.

Ron watched her for a few moments. In sleep, she looked more like Maddie than ever.

Luna came up behind him and put her hand on his shoulder. "This was a good day."

Ron nodded. "Yes it was."

"She reminds me so much of Maddie," Luna whispered.

"Right now she looks exactly like her," Ron agreed.

Luna nodded. "She even has her hand under her chin like Maddie used to do..."

"Almost like going back in time," Ron put his arm around his wife.

Luna leaned against him.

They stayed up there a few more minutes before joining everyone downstairs.

"Thanks for taking her upstairs, Dad," Maddie said hugging him.

"Anytime," Ron said. "She's just like you when you were a baby."

"I think she's a lot sweeter than I was," Maddie said.

"You were always a good girl," Luna said.

Maddie smiled. "Thanks, Mum."

"I think Andrew and I have to get going," Saffron came up to them. "It's Ellie's bedtime."

"Oh, okay," Maddie said. "Thank you so much for coming. It meant the world to all of us!"

"I didn't want to miss it," Saffron said. "Seeing as how she's my goddaughter and all."

Maddie gave her a hug. "Thank you."

"We'll see you lot on Christmas Eve," Saffron said.

"Thanks, Brat," Ethan said giving her a hug.

Andrew and Saffron headed home. "I'm going to see if she's hungry before I put her down."

"Okay," Andrew said. "I'll start dinner for us."

"Great," Saffron said. "Just something light- I'm not too hungry."

"You've got it," Andrew said pecking her on the cheek.

Saffron carried Ellie into the nursery. "Are you hungry, my love?" she asked softly.

Ellie looked up at her.

"Let's see," Saffron said, sitting down.

Saffron gazed lovingly at her daughter.

"You were a hungry girl," she said as Ellie nursed.

Andrew came into the nursery. "I just made us sandwiches."

"Great," Saffron said.

"Mum sent us an owl," Andrew said. "Wants to know when we can come by for Christmas."

"How about Christmas Eve morning?" Saffron suggested. "Then we can still go that evening to my parents?"

Andrew nodded. "She says she hasn't gone overboard with Ellie's presents, but I have a feeling..."

"I don't know where we're going to put it all," Saffron said.

Andrew laughed. "And it's not like she can play with any of it yet."

Saffron grinned. "She's all set when she's ready."

"She's all set for the next ten years of her life," Andrew joked.

Saffron moved as Ellie finished feeding. "Your favourite part," she said.

"The burping," Andrew grinned.

"All yours," Saffron handed him the cloth.

Andrew draped the cloth over his shoulder and took the baby from Saffron.

Saffron leaned against the crib as Andrew sat down in the rocking chair with their daughter.

"El, I know you've got a good one in you," Andrew said.

"She certainly ate enough," Saffron commented.

Andrew laughed. "She's a growing girl."

"She's already grown quite a bit," Saffron said. "Healer Parkinson measured her the other day."

Ellie let out a small burp.

"Come on," Andrew encouraged.

Ellie looked at him.

"She's a lady," Saffron said.

Andrew grinned. "So are you, but you can belch with the best of them."

"I do not," Saffron turned red.

"Uh-huh," Andrew grinned. "Ellie and I know the truth."

"Shut it," Saffron said, taking Ellie back into her arms.

Ellie cooed happily.

Saffron kissed Ellie's forehead. "I am so glad you take after your father."

"She takes after you," Andrew argued.

"I wasn't this easy," Saffron replied.

"Knock on wood," Andrew said.

"True," Saffron carefully laid her daughter into the crib.

"Night, Ellie," Andrew whispered.

Saffron turned out the light and they left the room, heading to the kitchen.

"You already have my present?" Andrew asked her with a grin. "Because I already have yours..."

"Of course I have yours," Saffron said. "I had it before Ellie was born."

Andrew gaped at her. "How--"

Saffron smiled at him.

Andrew laughed and shook his head. "You do that every year and I don't know how you do it. Starting so bloody early."

Saffron laughed too. "I have my ways."

"Are you finished with ALL of your shopping then?" Andrew asked. Saffron's response was a smug smile. "Saffy, you're done with all of your shopping?"

"I am," she nodded.

"When did you finish?" Andrew asked. "July?"

"Don't worry about it," she told him.

"Well," Andrew said. "I'm going to go and finish mine up tomorrow then."

"That's fine," Saffron nodded.

Andrew took a bite of his sandwich. "I should have had you do my shopping."

"Perhaps next year I will," Saffron said.

Andrew smiled. "Next year, Ellie will be a year old."

"I know," Saffron nodded.

"Saying 'daddy' and crawling all over the place," Andrew grinned.

"She'll be saying Mummy and WALKING all over the place," Saffron corrected.

"Want to put your money where your mouth is?" Andrew asked.

"What do you have in mind?" Saffron asked.

"If and when she says 'Daddy' first," Andrew said after thinking about it for a few moments, "we'll dress her in nothing but Wimbourne clothes for a month."

"And if she says Mummy first," Saffron said. "Nothing but Puddlemere for a month."

"Deal," Andrew said extending his hand.

Saffron shook it. "May the best woman win."

"Exactly," Andrew agreed. "Wait--"

Saffron laughed. "That works."

Andrew shook his head.

Saffron slid next to him. "You know even when I win, I'll still love you."

"You know you have this over-confidence problem," Andrew told her.

"Me?" Saffron said innocently.

"You," Andrew gave her a kiss. "I'm going to win and you know it. Most kids say 'Daddy' first because it's easier than 'Mummy'."

"I said my mother's name first," Saffron said.

"Well, you're odd anyway," Andrew said dryly.

Saffron poked him. "A fine thing to say to the mother of your child."

Andrew laughed. "You love me just the same."

"Yes I do," Saffron leaned against him.

"That's my girl," Andrew said kissing the side of her head.

"I love you," Saffron said softly. "I can't wait until we're married."

"I can't wait, either," Andrew said holding her close.

"After the wedding we'll have to start looking for a bigger place," Saffron said.

"What did you have in mind?" Andrew asked.

"Well we looked at that house a year or so ago," saffron said. "Something like that, maybe?"

Andrew nodded. "I'd like that. I want Ellie to have a backyard she can play in when she's older."

"And if she has a brother or sister..." Saffron said.

Andrew grinned. "A brother or a sister, eh?"

"Eventually," Saffron said.

"I like that idea," Andrew said.

"Me too," Saffron replied.

Andrew gave her another kiss.

"I wish we could take this to the bedroom," Saffron said, her lips against his.

"Just a few more weeks," Andrew said wistfully.

"It'll go by fast," Saffron said.

"Lots of cold showers in my future," Andrew said.

"I'll go easy on you," Saffron promised.

"Thanks," Andrew said pushing back from his chair and grabbing their plates.

Saffron watched him deposit the dishes in the sink. "Are you tired?"

"A little actually," Andrew admitted.

"It's only half past nine, but we can go to bed early," Saffron replied.

"Maybe watch a little telly," Andrew suggested.

"Sure," she said with a grin. "That does sound nice."

"I'll meet you upstairs," Andrew told her. "I just need to owl my mother about Christmas Eve."

"Sure," Saffron squeezed his hand. "Tell her to let me know if she wants me to bring anything."

"I will," Andrew promised.

Saffron hurried to the nursery to check on Ellie. Her daughter was sleeping peacefully.

Saffron grinned and whispered. "Mummy. Remember that, Ellie."

She kissed Ellie's soft little head then went into the bedroom to get herself ready.

She changed into her pyjamas and brushed her teeth. She climbed into bed and waited for Andrew.

It didn't take him long to come into the bedroom. "All set," he said, smiling at her.

"Did you check in on Ellie, too?" Saffron asked.

He turned a bit red. "Just for a second."

"It's okay," Saffron said. "I did, too."

"This is going to be a tough competition," Andrew said.

"Yes, and you aren't going to fight fair, are you?" Andrew asked.

Saffron smiled innocently.

"I didn't think so," Andrew said climbing into bed with her.

Saffron waved her wand to turn on the telly. "I hope there's something good on."

"An action film," Andrew said.

"Or a nice period piece," Saffron said.

"Well that's guaranteed to put me to sleep," Andrew said dryly.

Saffron nudged him.

"It's true," Andrew laughed.

"An action film would keep us up all night," Saffron objected.

"How about a comedy?" Andrew asked.

"Sure," Saffron agreed.

"Let's see," Andrew said.

Saffron leaned back, closing her eyes as he changed the channels. "What do wizards and witches do without a telly?" she asked.

"Listen to the wireless, I suppose," Andrew replied.

"Boring," Saffron said.

"Or read," Andrew said.

"That I like," Saffron said, cracking her eyes open.

"Or coaching their babies," Andrew teased.

"We'll have plenty of that soon," Saffron poked him.

Andrew laughed. "Yes, we will."

Saffron snuggled up next to him.

She smiled as she heard the sound of his heart beating. It was one of her most favourite sounds in the whole world.

"What are you grinning about?" he asked her.

"I'm just happy," Saffron replied softly.

"Me too," Andrew slid his arm around her. "I love you, Saf."

"I love you too, Andrew," Saffron said closing her eyes.

"I'll take Ellie duty tonight," Andrew said. "Just get some rest."

"Okay," Saffron said sleepily. She hadn't realised how tired she really was until now.

Andrew smiled at her. "Night."

"Night," Saffron mumbled.

*** *** ***

295. Chapter 295 Christmas

Authors’ note: BIG scene here with LOADS of characters---Weasleys, Potters, and Malfoys, oh my! Please let us know what you think by leaving a review. It only takes a couple of seconds to do so and we and all the writers on this site appreciate the feedback.

Ashley and Katie had travelled home for the Christmas holiday and while Katie missed Hogwarts and her friends there, she did enjoy not having any homework or reading to do.

Tonight, they were at their grandparents' home for Christmas dinner. The Weasleys, Longbottoms and Potters were all there, too. Katie squealed when she saw Caroline by the Christmas tree.

"Katie!" Caroline exclaimed running toward her best friend.

Katie hugged her tightly. "I missed you!"

"I missed you too!" Caroline smiled at her.

"I have SO much to tell you," Katie said. "Hogwarts is so, so, SO amazing!"

"I'm really sorry that you were sorted into Slytherin," Caroline said.

"I love it," Katie said. "Everything bad that's said about Slytherin is a total lie."

Caroline raised an eyebrow. "Really?"

"Yes," Katie said. "I have to tell you about the Yule Ball."

"The dance?" Caroline asked.

"I got to go," Katie revealed.

"But I thought you had to be a fourth year to go?" Caroline asked.

"Not if you get asked." Katie said.

Caroline's eyes grew large. "An older boy asked you?"

"Jemima got him to ask me," Katie confessed.

Ashley heard her sister and rolled her eyes. She still couldn't believe what Katie had been a part of.

"I can't believe you got to go to a dance," Caroline was impressed. "Will you tell me all about it?"

"Absolutely," Katie said leading her over to the sofa. "He's a fourth year named Micah. Jemima let me borrow some of her old dress robes and they were amazing, Caroline."

"That's so, so cool," Caroline said. "Ashley, did you get to go?"

Ashley shook her head. "No. I'm just a third year."

Katie straightened up proudly. "Well it was so much fun. I can't wait to go again."

Ashley folded her arms. "After what your little friends did to poor Erin...how can you say something like that?"

"It's none of your business, Ashley." Katie said in a superior tone much like Jemima's.

"Who is Erin?" Caroline asked confused.

When Katie didn't answer, Ashley took the liberty. "Erin is a rarity in Slytherin---an actual nice girl. Katie's new friend Jemima didn't like that the boy she fancied liked Erin more. So, they decide to humiliate the poor girl at the Yule Ball."

"What did they do?" Caroline was intrigued.

"They stole her diary and read it aloud during the ball," Ashley said. "This poor girl had written about her father losing his job, about how she felt inside and Jemima and her little minions didn't care."

Caroline's jaw dropped and Katie at least had the grace to turn red.

"How could they do something like that?" Caroline asked.

"She had it coming," Katie defended Jemima. "She stole Tristan from her."

"Tristan was never hers to begin with, Katie!" Ashley pointed out. "No matter what happened, Jemima should never have done that. How would you feel if someone stole your diary and read it aloud for the entire world to hear?"

Katie shrugged. "I don't have a diary."

"That's not the point," Ashley began.

"Ashley's right," Caroline said. "That's a terrible thing to do to someone."

Katie stared at Caroline wordlessly.

"You're just lucky I didn't tell Mum and Dad what part you played in it," Ashley said to her sister.

"I didn't do anything," Katie said loftily. "And you can't prove that I did."

"Sometimes when you don't say anything to stop it, you're just as guilty," Ashley said. "I'm going to go and see if Saffy and the baby are here."

Caroline just looked at Katie for another moment after Ashley walked away. "You guys really did that?"

"So Jemima could get Tristan," Katie said.

"What did he do?" Caroline asked.

Katie smiled. "What we wanted."

Caroline didn't like the look on her best friend's face. "Oh..."

"You know," Katie said. "Maybe... maybe you should start pushing yourself to try and get in Slytherin when you come to Hogwarts."

"Everyone in my family's always been in Gryffindor," Caroline said.

"Yeah but you don't have to be," Katie said. "We could have so much fun."

"Maybe," Caroline said uncertainly.

"Just think about it," Katie told her.

Ashley went upstairs to find her aunt. Uncle Ron had told her that Maddie and Saffron were upstairs with Kiera and Ellie. Ashley couldn't wait to meet her two new cousins and to tell Saffy and Maddie her good news.

Ashley hurried into the sitting room. "Hi Aunt Saffy!" she exclaimed.

Maddie and Saffron turned. "Hiya, Ashley!" Saffron exclaimed, giving her niece a hug.

Ashley grinned. "Are these my two new cousins I've been so excited to meet?"

Maddie laughed. "This is them. Ashley Malfoy, this is Gwyn."

"She's beautiful," Ashley breathed as the little blonde infant gazed up at her.

"Thank you," Maddie said smiling at her. "She and Ellie here were just having a nice chat."

Ashley looked at the other infant. "I can't believe they were born so close together."

Saffron laughed. "We planned it that way. Didn't we, Maddie?"

"One would think so," Maddie grinned.

"Would you like to hold Ellie?" Saffron offered.

"I'd LOVE to!" Ashley exclaimed.

Saffron gingerly handed Ellie to Ashley.

"Hi there," Ashley said softly. "I can't wait to draw you..."

Ellie looked up at her.

Ashley smiled at the infant. "You are so, so sweet."

"So," Maddie asked as she put Gwyn in her bouncy seat. "How's school?"

"It's good," Ashley said.

"How are Brit and Zander?" Saffron asked.

"They're good," Ashley said. "They're going skiing."

"That sounds like fun," Maddie said thoughtfully.

"They're taking Celia and Evan," Ashley said.

Saffron put her hand on her niece's shoulder. "You okay with that?"

"Yes," Ashley said. "Zander and I are just friends."

"What's this news your Dad was telling me that you had?" Saffron asked. "It's killed me not knowing."

Ashley grinned. "Well... I was going to tell everyone at dinner..."

"I suppose I can wait until then," Saffron said. "Speaking of which, Dad's not letting anyone in the kitchen for some reason and I've barely seen Mum."

"I have to say, whatever he's cooking in there smells amazing," Maddie admitted.

"I know," Saffron agreed. "I'm starving."

Ashley passed Ellie back to Saffron. "Can I hold Gwyn?"

"Absolutely," Maddie replied. As she reached down to pick Gwyn up from her bouncy seat, she had a vision. Her face took on that faraway look and Ashley and Saffron exchanged looks.

"What is it?" Saffron asked her sister in law.

Maddie had seen something about Ashley, but she didn't want to say anything.

"It's nothing," she said. "I'll... I'll go put it in a Pensieve later."

Maddie smiled reassuringly at Ashley as she handed Gwyn to Ashley. She now knew what Ashley's news must be and she didn't want to spoil the surprise.

"She's so cute," Ashley gushed. "I really can't wait to draw the two of them."

"You'll have plenty of opportunity," Maddie told her. "With your nice long break from school."

Ashley nodded. "And no homework."

Ethan walked into the room. "Ladies and Saffy...."

Saffron made a face at him.

"Dinner's ready," Ethan said.

"Finally," Saffron said. "I'm starving."

Ethan grinned at his niece. "Hiya, Ash."

"Hi Uncle Ethan," Ashley said. "Gwyn is gorgeous!"

"She is, isn't she?" Ethan asked making a goofy face at his daughter.

Ashley handed the baby to him. "What did Grandpa make for dinner?"

"I have no clue," Ethan said. "He didn't say."

"Well let's go," Saffron said impatiently.

Ashley followed them downstairs and laughed when she saw everyone standing outside the dining room. Ron folded his arms. "I've never heard of someone putting a ward on a dining room of all places. I thought dinner was ready..."

"I thought so too," Saffron frowned.

In the kitchen, Hermione was just putting the finishing touches on the potatoes. "Harry, I've never been this nervous. I've never cooked for this many people before..."

"And it smells delicious," Harry assured her. "I'm sure everyone will love it. You worked hard on this."

"With your help," Hermione said taking off her apron.

Harry grinned at her. "I'm proud of you."

Hermione beamed at him. "Really?"

"Absolutely," Harry gave her a kiss. "Let's bring in the masses."

Hermione took a deep breath and nodded.

"I can't believe I had to put a ward on the door," Harry said. "Ron kept trying to come in."

Hermione laughed as she set the bowl of potatoes on the table. "You know how he is."

"Only too well," Harry muttered an incantation and immediately the door swung open.

"It's about bloody time," Ron said leading the way into the dining room with Emma.

"We are hungry!" Emma announced.

Ron chose his seat and Emma sat down beside him. "We are always hungry, aren't we, Em?"

"Yes we are," Emma nodded, reaching for her knife and fork.

"Dad, you really went all out," Julie said admiringly. "Everything looks great."

Harry hid his smile. "Everyone take your seat," he said.

Everyone sat down and Ron and Emma whispered to each other about what they were going to try first.

"I want some of that," Emma pointed to the turkey.

"Me too," Ron agreed. "And look at those rolls...they're almost as big as you, Emma."

"I want two," Emma said.

Adam looked at his big sister. "Me too!"

"After me," Emma told him.

Allison looked at Emma. "Emma, you can both have rolls at the same time. Remember, what I said to you earlier?"

Emma pursed her little lips. "Yes."

Everyone started loading their plates and Hermione shared a smile with Harry.

"I am so hungry," Saffron said.

"You'll be able to eat more since RJ's not here," Andrew said handing his fiancée the basket of dinner rolls.

"I miss RJ," Adam said.

Jon patted his son's back. "He's spending the day with Audrey and her family, buddy. But he'll be around tomorrow morning for presents."

"Okay," Adam nodded.

"Everyone," Julie said looking at Ashley. "Ashley has something she'd like to share with you."

Ashley blushed. "Um... I've known this for a few weeks but I wanted everyone to be together when I told you all."

"What's going on, love?" Hermione asked her granddaughter.

"My art teacher sent in some of my work to La Sorbonne and they're interested in me coming there after Hogwarts," Ashley revealed.

Saffron beamed at her niece. "Ashley Beth! That's fantastic!"

Ashley grinned and blushed again. "I'm so excited."

"We're so proud of you!" Harry exclaimed, raising his glass. "Congratulations, Ashley!"

"Congratulations, Ashley," everyone echoed, also lifting their glasses.

"And," Julie said, not wanting Katie to feel left out. "Katie did really well her first semester at school. She had top marks in Charms."

"That's wonderful too!" Hermione smiled at her granddaughter. "We're so proud of you, Katie."

Katie grinned. "Thanks, Grandma. I worked really hard."

"I'm sure you both did," Hermione nodded.

"We're proud of both of our girls," Nick said winking at Katie and Ashley.

Ashley beamed proudly and sat back down.

"How are things at the pub, Josh?" Luna asked.

"We're doing great," Josh shared a grin with his brother.

"They're finally behaving like big boys," Lizzy said nudging her husband.

"Business has been really good as of late," Jon said. "Especially with Allie's menu."

"Mummy's food," Adam said before taking a bite of his roll.

"It's his favourite place to eat," Jon said.

"This might be my new favourite," Ron said after taking a bite of his turkey. "This is fantastic!"

Harry looked around and saw everyone eating ravenously. "Well I have a bit of a surprise to tell you about the food."

"There's more of it?" Ron asked with a grin.

"That," Harry replied. "And I wasn't the cook."

Lavender looked up. "Ooooh, you were saying you knew of a new chef. Did they do this?"

"That's right," Harry said, gesturing to Hermione, who turned red.

"Well, don't leave us in suspense," Lavender said. "Who made this food?"

"Hermione did," Harry gestured again.

Ron choked on his drink. "Yeah, right. Hermione can't even make toast."

"That's really nice, Ron," Harry said. "Really though."

"I've been taking a cooking class since August," Hermione said. "And with Harry's help today, I made all this."

"This is some of the best food I've ever eaten," Ron declared. "There's no way on earth you could have made this, Hermione."

"Ronald," Luna said. "That's not a nice thing to say at all!"

"Mum," Saffron said grinning at her. "You really made this?"

"I did," Hermione said. "From scratch."

Ethan looked at his father. "She really did all this?"

"She sure did," Harry nodded. "Worked hard since about six this morning."

"Harry helped me with some of it--" Hermione began.

"I only helped a little," Harry interjected. "This was all her."

"Mum that's fantastic," Saffron said. "I can't believe it!"

Hermione grinned. "Thanks, sweetheart."

"This means I'm the only one who can't cook," Julie said jokingly. "Odd one out."

"I've been taking this class since August," Hermione told them again. "I've really taken to it. It's been so much fun."

"How often did you go?" Luna asked.

"Every Monday," Hermione said. "It was really great because it's a Muggle class and no one recognized me."

"How lovely for you," Luna smiled at her. "And you must have learned so much. This dinner is wonderful."

"Thank you," Hermione said. She looked over at Ron who seemed absolutely gob smacked.

"You really made all this?" he asked in disbelief.

Hermione nodded. "Yes."

"Wow..." Ron said.

"Now, you'll have to find something else to tease me about," Hermione boasted.

"Is there anything else?" Ron asked.

Hermione laughed. "You still have me being afraid to fly."

"I'll never let that one go," Ron said with a grin.

"And the wonky feint thing..." Hermione said.

All the Quidditch fans at the table groaned simultaneously, making Emma and Adam laugh.

"Mum, you'll never get that right," Saffron said shaking her head.

"Probably not," Hermione said sheepishly.

"But she can cook," Harry said putting his arm around his wife. "Finally!"

"Jules, on your weekends home you can come by and I'll show you what I was taught," Hermione told her oldest daughter.

Julie smiled. "I'd like that."

"So would I," Nick agreed.

"Nicholas!" Julie exclaimed.

"Well, since Greta's going to leave us to travel with her sister someone's going to have to feed me," Nick said.

"Greta's leaving?" Saffron asked.

Ashley nodded. "She told us today. She's going to travel with her sister."

"But she was going to baby-sit," Saffron said in dismay.

"She's not going away forever," Nick reassured her. "She'll still be around. When she and her sister come back, she's going to buy a little house. You'll be able to see her anytime you want."

"Oh," Saffron relaxed.

"Where's she going to travel to?" Ethan asked.

'We aren't sure," Nick said.

"She's always wanted to do that," Ethan recalled. "Travel."

"She's got her chance now," Nick nodded.

"I'm happy that she gets to do that and that she'll still be around," Saffron said thoughtfully. "I can't imagine being without her."

"She definitely wants to baby sit for Ellie," Nick told her.

Saffron smiled. "I want that, too."

"Who's going to watch Sophie if you have to go on tour Daddy?" Katie asked.

"We would be happy to watch Sophie for you," Hermione said. "Besides, Harry's having Puddles withdrawal."

"Not really," Harry joked. "But we'll watch her if need be."

"Dad, you know you love Puddles," Saffron said.

"I love that he's gone," Harry responded.

Saffron shook her head. "Daddy..."

"I'm kidding," Harry said. "He's not a bad dog."

"He's the best," Saffron said.

"Maxi's the best," Emma argued.

"Sophie's the best," Katie chimed in.

"You lot never met Paddington," Luna said. "He was the best dog."

"Paddy was great," Jon agreed. "Joshie's real wife..."

Josh glared at him. "Shut it, Jon."

Allison laughed. "I'll never forget that day."

"The first wedding," Caroline said with a grin.

"The very first," Jon agreed. "Little did I know..."

"Little did any of us know," Cho said.

"Where was I?" Adam asked.

Cho grinned at her grandson. "You were not there, buddy. But, you'd come along eventually."

"Em there?" Adam asked.

Jon shook his head. "No, and neither was Caroline."

"Why?" Adam asked.

"Because we were just kids back then," Allison said.

"Like me?" Adam was curious.

"Just like you, but you are a lot cuter," Allison said pinching his nose.

Adam grinned at his mother.

At the other end of the table, Darla was not eating, just moving her food around on her plate. Today was very hard since her son was in New York with Hans and his family. Thankfully, she'd have him with her tomorrow morning at the Burrow.

"I'm sure he's fine," Drew reassured her sister.

"I just miss him," Darla said. "This is the first time I've been away from him."

"I know," Drew said. "And I know this isn't easy."

Darla shook her head. "Nothing is easy anymore."

"You have us," Drew said. "You can lean on us, you know."

"I know," Darla said gratefully. "I just can't wait for Hans to drop him back off tonight."

"His first Christmas at the Burrow," Drew grinned.

"First of many," Darla nodded.

"Drew said Liam was joining us tomorrow," Brian said.

Darla coloured slightly. "Well... he had no other plans, so..."

"It will be nice to have him there," Drew said. "What is it Nana's always saying? The more the merrier..."

"Right," Darla said softly.

"It's going to be a great day," Drew said.

"Of course it is," Maddie said to her sisters.

"It always is," Darla agreed.

Maddie looked over to check on Gwyn. "I imagine the babies will have fun looking at one another."

"Chloe's already volunteered to open their presents for them," Brian said.

Darla smiled. "She's more than welcome to help Rafe with his."

"Yay," Chloe said clapping her hands together. "I love opening presents."

"We know that," Drew teased. "You already tried opening the ones at home."

Chloe pouted. "Mummy!"

"We caught you baby," Brian said to his daughter

"Saf used to do the same thing," Ethan recalled. "She thought she was being so sneaky."

"I was better than you," Saffron said.

Ethan chuckled. "Saf, no one was better than me. I always knew where Mum and Dad hid the presents. You didn't."

Saffron made a face at him. "You set me up that one time."

"I can't help it if you were gullible," Ethan said innocently.

"I was four!" Saffron exclaimed.

"What did he make you do, Aunt Saffy?" Katie asked.

"He told me our presents were hidden in a closet, and told me that one of them was the dog I'd been asking for," Saffron said. "And right as I'm digging through everything, he tells our parents what 'I' was up to."

"I didn't tell them exactly," Ethan said.

"Yes you did," Saffron said. "And you got in trouble when I told Mum and Dad you said I was getting a puppy."

"What did you do to them, Grandpa?" Ashley asked.

"I don't even remember that," Harry said, amused. "We probably grounded him or something."

"About the only time you ever did," Saffron said. "Mister Perfect that he was."

"Sure, Saf." Ethan grinned at her.

"Saffy, he was punished just as much as we were," Julie said. "You just don't remember a lot of them."

"Especially at school," Ethan said.

Maddie grinned at him. "How could this innocent little face ever get into trouble?"

"Who knows?" Ethan asked. "I sure didn't understand it."

"The better question would be if you ever got into trouble, Maddie," Cho said. "What with that look of yours."

"Never," Maddie said angelically.

"Maddie just kept to herself," Drew said thoughtfully.

"Except when Dolly was tearing things apart." Josh said.

"She only did that a couple of times," Maddie pointed out.

"I'll never forget the shirt," Ron said.

"Daddy, Dolly didn't mean to do that," Maddie said.

"I know, Maddie." Ron said.

"Speaking of never getting into trouble," Drew said.

"All she had to do was flash that look and nothing was wrong," Darla said.

"That's not true," Maddie protested.

"Yes it was," Jon said. "Why do you think we tried to pin so much stuff on you when we were kids?"

"It wasn't my fault that your room was always a mess," Maddie told him.

"That wasn't it so much as when something got broken," Josh said.

"And you tried to pin it on your poor, sweet, defenceless little sister?" Maddie asked him, shaking her head.

"Sure," Josh said. "Because it never mattered if they thought you did it."

"We didn't just single you out, Mad Dog," Jon said. "We framed RJ, too."

"A lot more than you," Josh told her.

"Kiera and Gwyn will not be like that," Maddie said.

"Not likely," Luna assured her.

"Come on," Jon said. "It's only natural. That's what brothers and sisters do."

"Very true," Ethan agreed.

"Not that I'm finished with this course, but what have you made for dessert?" Ron asked.

"Chocolate cake, blueberry muffins and rice pudding," Hermione said. "Thought I'd stick with one tried and true."

"Yummy," Kiera said waving a hand at her grandmother.

Hermione laughed. "Someone's eager for a bit of everything, I'm sure."

Kiera grinned. "Buh, Gamma."

"I'll give you a piece of muffin to take to Blue," Hermione promised her granddaughter.

"Thanks, Hermione," Maddie said. "He'd love that."

"Of course," Hermione rose to go get the dessert.

"I'll help you, Mum," Julie said.

"Thanks, love." Hermione said.

Julie followed her mother into the kitchen. "I can't believe you actually did all this, Mum. It was amazing."

"I wanted to surprise you all," Hermione said.

"I'd say you did," Julie said.

"Your father did help," Hermione said. "But I wanted to do most of it."

"I'm so proud of you," Julie said.

"Thanks, love." Hermione hugged her daughter. "And I meant what I said about coming over on weekends. If I can learn this, you can too."

"I'd love that," Julie said smiling at her.

"Good," Hermione said as she waved her wand at the coffee pot.

Julie laughed. "The look on Uncle Ron's face..."

"It was rather classic," Hermione agreed.

"You need to put that memory in your pensieve," Julie said with a grin.

"Perhaps I should," Hermione agreed. "To relive over, and over and over..."

Julie laughed. "So, what did you get Dad for Christmas?"

Hermione turned red. "Um... I made him a special dinner..."

Julie held up a hand. "I'm thinking that I don't want to know anymore?"

"Probably not," Hermione said.

"Well, I'm going to go ahead and let you in on a secret," Julie said. "As a present to you and Saffy and me, of course, I've booked us a day of rest, relaxation and beauty at the spa."

"Oh Julie, that will be lovely," Hermione said.

Julie smiled. "I think if anyone needs a day of pampering, it's us."

"I love that idea," Hermione said. "I'm looking forward to it."

Saffron walked into the kitchen. "Looking forward to what?"

"Oh nothing," Julie said.

Saffron put her hands on her hips. "You know how I hate not knowing things..."

"You'll find out tomorrow," Julie teased.

Saffron hit her sister on the arm. "Do you need any help?"

"I think we've got it," Hermione said, levitating a few trays into the air.

"The natives were getting restless," Saffron said. "And Dad and Ron are talking about having a dance contest downstairs in the ballroom."

"Oh goodness," Hermione said. "Let's get Ron some food so he doesn't do anything foolish."

"Good idea," Saffron said.

"Okay," Hermione said as the three of them went back into the dining room. "Dessert."

"Thank you," Ron said rubbing his hands together.

Emma imitated him. "Cake, please!"

"Since you are so cute," Saffron said taking a plate off of the tray. "I think that can be arranged, Ariel."

Emma grinned happily. "I can't wait to see Prince Eric!"

"She means Gabriel," Caroline explained.

Emma blushed. "Sissy!"

"It's true," Caroline grinned at her.

Lavender smiled at the little girl. "He'll be here tomorrow, sweetheart. He wanted to spend Christmas Eve with his grandparents."

"Oh," Emma nodded.

"Emma's in lurve," Caroline teased.

"I am not," Emma said as she blushed.

"He's looking forward to seeing you too," Seamus told Emma, who beamed at him. "He said he had a special Christmas present for you."

"He does?" Emma brightened. "Really?"

"Absolutely," Seamus grinned at her.

"Now I really can't wait for tomorrow," Emma said happily.

Allison put her arm around her daughter. "Even more than seeing what Santa brought you, baby?"

"Well I can't wait for that too," Emma admitted.

Saffron sat back down beside Andrew. "I know how she feels, you know? I used to feel that way about Ethan's best mate, Justin."

"I forgot about that," Ethan said.

"You were so cute," Julie recalled.

"He was always good about it." Saffron said.

"Just like Andrew was about Ashley," Katie blurted out.

"Katie!" Ashley hissed.

Katie rolled her eyes. "Ash, everyone knew!"

Ashley turned scarlet red. "You didn't have to blab and remind everyone."

"It's okay," Hermione reassured her oldest granddaughter. "Everyone's had crushes and everyone's had someone that likes to tease you about it. Right, Lavender?"

Lavender sighed. "Hermione, that boy was such a weirdo. I can't believe you ever thought he was cute. You deserved to be teased about him."

"He wasn't that bad," Hermione answered. "Unlike half the blokes you were in love with at school."

"Vincent, Yves, Pascal, Matthieu, Pierre, Marcel and Rene were all wonderful," Lavender said defensively. "Not like that toad you fancied."

"Pascal?" Harry asked. "You fancied some guy named Pascal? Did he fancy other blokes?"

"Shut it, you!" Lavender said. "I'm sure Cho could give me some stories about you and your storied dating history."

"Let's not bring that up," Cho said hastily.

Hermione kicked Harry under the table. "Remember what you promised me?" she whispered to him.

"I'm trying," Harry said.

Hermione smiled at him. "I can't wait to tell all my friends in my class how well this went."

"I am so proud of you," Harry rubbed her back.

"Thank you," Hermione said.

Harry gave her a kiss on the cheek. "You'll get the rest of my Christmas gift to you later." he whispered.

Hermione blushed. "Harry..."

He grinned mischievously at her.

"I can't wait," Hermione said squeezing his hand.

"Mum this cake is great," Ethan said. "Excellent meal, all around."

"Thanks, Ethan," Hermione said. "I'm glad you enjoyed it."

"Kiera enjoyed it too," Ethan said, looking at his oldest daughter. "Didn't you, sweetheart?"

Kiera patted her stomach. "Yummy, yummy to tummy."

"Now she sounds like her mum," Ethan joked.

Kiera grinned. "Dad-dy."

"Want a little more, baby?" he asked.

Kiera nodded. "Cake."

"Just a little more," Ethan cut a small piece.

"Me too, Daddy," Noah said looking at Josh. "Please?"

"All right," Josh said. "Only a little for you too."

Casey looked over at Emma. "No waste, Em!"

"That's right," Emma nodded. "Specially cake!"

Ron looked at his grandchildren. "This is a proud moment for me. I've taught you lot well."

Emma giggled. "Because food is good."

"Don't eat too much," Harry warned Ron. "Hermione and I are going to wipe the floor with you and Luna."

"I am not dancing tonight," Hermione informed him.

"Chicken," Ron said.

"Ronald, grow up," Hermione said.

"If you don't think you still have it," Ron said shrugging.

Hermione narrowed her eyes at him. "Harry and I can out dance you any day."

"Care to put your money where your mouth is?" Ron asked.

"Come on Mum," Saffron said. "I’d love to see you all dance."

"Okay," Hermione relented.

Harry grinned. "We'll show them we're not out of practise."

"Twenty galleons says my mum and dad wipe the floor with yours," Jon said to Ethan.

"You're on," Ethan replied.

"I'm in," Saffron said.

"Me too?" Aidan asked.

"Sure, buddy," Ethan said. "Who do you think is going to win? Your grandpa and grandma or my mum and dad?"

Aidan looked pensive for a moment then pointed to Luna.

Luna smiled. "That's my boy."

"Loyal till the end," Ethan grinned at him.

Everyone made their way down to the ballroom. Seamus walked over to the sound system. It brought back memories since he used to deejay sometimes at Hillsdale. Emma scurried to the middle of the dance floor and starting doing an impromptu routine.

Jon laughed. "Get down with your bad self, Em."

Adam toddled out to join his sister. "Em!"

"Come on Adam!" Emma took his little hands.

Adam laughed as Emma spun him around.

Caroline grinned at her brother and sister as they giggled together.

Katie smiled at her best friend. "They're so cute, aren't they?"

"Yeah they are," Caroline nodded.

"I missed them," Katie said wistfully. "I feel like I missed a lot."

"There's always stuff going on here," Caroline said.

"We're going to have to catch up," Katie said smiling at her. "And we have to go ice skating and shopping, of course."

Caroline smiled back. This was the Katie she liked best.

"Sure," Caroline agreed. "Mia thinks she's going to get some gift slips, so maybe our parents will let us go shopping on our own."

"You know if she doesn't get into Hogwarts, you'll still have me," Katie told her.

"I think she will," Caroline said. "The other day, she got mad and said she made her dresser drawers fly open."

"Oh," Katie said. "How nice."

"I haven't done anything magical yet," Caroline said wistfully. "Maybe I won't go."

"Caroline Weasley, you are going to Hogwarts," Katie told her. "There's no way you wouldn't go. When you get there, we're going to rule the school."

Caroline smiled. "But I'll probably be in Gryffindor."

"Not if I have anything to say about it," Katie grinned, grabbing her arm. "Come on. Let's dance!"

Caroline laughed. "Katie!"

Katie and Caroline danced beside Adam and the other children. The adults were content to stand back and watch for the moment.

"Don't get too comfortable," Ron said to Hermione.

"I was going to say the same to you," Hermione said.

"I remember you used to fall flat on your face," Harry said.

"I taught him everything he knows," Luna said resting her head on Ron's shoulder.

"No one was as good a teacher as Harry," Hermione said.

"I'm surprised the two of you ever got anything done with how much time you spent on your backs," Ron joked.

"Gross," Saffron complained.

Harry laughed. "Okay. Okay...let's get this over with. What are we dancing? Mambo? Tango? Rumba?"

Hermione whispered something in his ear.

"You want to do that?" Harry asked.

"If we still have the music," Hermione answered.

"I think we do," Harry grinned making his way over to Seamus at the stereo.

Ron looked at Luna. "Um...what do we want to do, then?"

"Whatever you'd like," Luna looked at him.

"I was never that good at the rumba," Ron recalled.

"Cha-Cha?" Luna asked.

Ron grinned. "That's a good one."

"Perfect," Luna said.

"Okay then," Saffron said reaching into her pocket for a coin. "Uncle Ron, call it. Heads or tails. Winner goes first."

Ron watched her toss it up. "Heads."

Saffron caught the coin in her palm. "Heads it is. Uncle Ron and Aunt Luna dance first."

"That's all right," Harry called. "Save the best for last."

"Shake it, Gamma!" Chloe clapped her hands.

Luna laughed. "I'll try, sweetheart."

"Chloe, where on earth did you learn that?" Drew asked her daughter.

"From Em," Chloe said.

Emma grinned. "I teach everyone!"

"You sure do," Jon picked her up.

Emma put her arms around him and everyone cleared the floor except for Ron and Luna. Ron nodded at Seamus and a moment later, music filled the room.

"One two," Luna counted as they began to move.

It had been quite awhile since Ron had danced in front of a crowd like this and for a few moments it showed. But, before long, he and Luna had found their groove and expertly moved across the dance floor.

"Be ready to hand over those Galleons," Jon said to Ethan.

"They're not bad," Ethan grinned.

"They're pretty good, Harry," Hermione whispered. "What if we mess up on our dance?"

Harry squeezed her hand. "It's going to be fine, Hermione."

"I know I'll never forget learning that dance," Hermione said softly.

Harry gave her a kiss.

"It's a shame I can't fit into that dress anymore," Hermione commented.

Harry put his arms around her. "You're just as beautiful now as you were the day I first saw you."

Hermione smiled at him. "You sure are smooth, Potter. And I love you for it."

"I love you, too," Harry said.

Luna and Ron finished their dance to a thundering round of applause. Ron picked his wife up and spun her around.

"Top that," he said, looking over at Harry and Hermione.

"You two were brilliant," Hermione said to Luna.

"Thank you Hermione," Luna said, her eyes sparkling. "It's been so long since we've done that."

"Good job, mate," Harry said clapping Ron on the back.

"You mean that?" Ron asked.

Harry nodded. "I do."

"Thanks," Ron said with a genuine grin.

Harry looked at his wife. "May I have this dance?"

"Always," Hermione took his hand. Harry signalled to Seamus and a familiar tango tune wafted through the air.

Lavender nudged Saffron. "This is the dance they did at Hillsdale."

"I thought this music sounded familiar," Seamus nodded.

Saffron grinned as she watched her parents dance. Her mother's eyes were shining.

"They met doing this you know," Saffron told Andrew as she cuddled Ellie to her.

"At that resort, right?" Andrew asked.

"Right," Saffron said. "I've never been there, you know."

"Technically, you have," Ethan reminded her.

"Well yes, but not that I can remember," Saffron said.

Ethan nudged her. "That's where you came into being, Brat."

Saffron made a face at him.

The crowd gasped as Harry lifted Hermione as if she weighed nothing.

Hermione laughed as Harry set her down then dipped her backwards.

Julie clapped enthusiastically for her parents. She had been watching them dance together since she was a little girl.

"I think we have a winner," Ron said.

"I think so too," Luna said giving him a hug. "But, it's not really about winning. It's about having fun and I think we always have fun, right?"

"We sure do Loony," Ron grinned at her.

Luna gave him a kiss.

"Guess I owe you 20 Galleons," Jon said to Ethan.

Ethan grinned. "Pay up, Weasley."

"Ethan come on," Saffron said. "Ron and Luna were just as good as Mum and Dad. I say it's a draw."

"I do too," Maddie said.

"I guess," Ethan replied.

"It's a draw," Maddie said to Jon.

"I want to dance again," Emma squirmed.

"You do, eh?" Jon asked. "Well, come on then, Em. Let's show them how it's done."

Emma squealed in delight as Jon whirled her around.

Casey looked up at Josh. "Me, too? Daddy?"

"Anything for you," Josh told his daughter.

Casey beamed at him as he picked her up and carried her onto the dance floor.

Ethan looked at Kiera. "How about you? Would you like to dance?"

"Daddy?" Kiera asked.

Ethan grinned. "What do you say, Kiera?"

Kiera lifted her little arms towards him.

Ethan picked her up. "Hey, Mads? Do you think I should show her our little cha-cha?"

"I'm sure she'd love that," Maddie said, patting Gwyn's back gently.

"Okay," Ethan said to Kiera. "Put your arm out like this..."

Kiera looked at him quizzically.

"Like this," Ethan said extending his right arm. "Do just like Daddy."

Kiera still didn't seem to understand so Ethan lifted it for her.

"Okay," Ethan said. "Now, I'm going to dance you across the room and we say 'cha-cha-cha'!"

Kiera giggled.

"Can you say that?" Ethan asked her.

"Cha?" Kiera asked.

Ethan nodded. "That's it!"

"Cha," Kiera said again.

Ethan grinned at her. "Okay...here we go..."

Maddie watched with a grin as Ethan spun their daughter around in his arms.

"Cha!" Kiera exclaimed happily.

"That's it, baby," Ethan encouraged.

"Cha!" Kiera exclaimed again as Ethan spun her back toward Maddie and Gwyn.

"Very good," Maddie cheered them on.

Darla was watching her family and starting to have a good time when she felt a tap on her shoulder. She turned to see Lizzy. "Darla, Hans is upstairs with Rafe."

"Oh!" her eyes brightened. "Thanks Lizzy!"

Darla excused herself and hurried upstairs, eager to see her son.

She hurried into the sitting room. "Rafe!"

"Happy Christmas," Hans said to her.

"Thanks," Darla said, reaching for Rafe. "You too... I hope you had a good time in New York."

Hans nodded. "Mum and Dad were there. They sent their love."

"I miss seeing them," Darla admitted.

"This little guy missed you," Hans said.

"I missed him too," Darla cuddled him closely.

"How are things here?" Hans asked. "Lizzy said everyone was downstairs in the ballroom?"

"Yeah my parents had a dance off against Harry and Hermione," Darla said.

Hans smiled. "Did they win?"

"They called it a draw," Darla said as Rafe opened his eyes and looked up at her.

"Hi," Darla whispered. "I missed you so much."

"Thanks for letting me take him," Hans told her.

"He's your son too," Darla said looking at him.

Hans nodded. "Well... I guess I should get back."

"That's a nice jumper," Darla commented. "Is it new?"

Hans didn't respond for a few moments.

"What?" Darla asked.

"A friend gave it to me for Christmas," Hans replied looking down.

"A friend?" Darla asked.

"Just someone I've started seeing," Hans said.

Darla felt like she'd been punched in the stomach. "I see."

"It's still early days," Hans said. "And she's really great. Rafe just loved Sadie."

Darla stared at him speechlessly.

"I should have told you before," Hans said. "Look, she's not a model. She's a makeup artist, actually...."

"I don't really want to hear about it," Darla said.

Hans nodded. "I should go."

"Right," Darla said. "Have a nice Christmas."

"You too," Hans said, leaning over and kissing his son's cheek. "Happy Christmas, Rafe."

Rafe sent him a toothless smile.

Hans smiled back at him before looking up to meet Darla's gaze. "Happy Christmas, Darla."

"You too," she managed.

Hans saw himself out and Darla stood there, motionless for a moment. He was seeing someone? They'd only been separated a short time...

"That was quick," she said quietly, looking down at her son.

Rafe just looked up at her.

"Come on," she said. "Let's go have fun with loads of people who love us."

She forced a smile on her face as she carried him downstairs to the ballroom. "Rafey!" Chloe squealed when she spotted him.

Darla had to smile for real as Chloe eagerly bounded over to see her cousin.

"Rafey, Santa will be here soon!" Chloe told him excitedly.

"I'm sure he's very excited," Darla said.

"Everything okay?" Drew asked her sister.

Darla shrugged. "Not really."

Drew frowned. "Dar."

"He's seeing someone else," Darla told her sister. "Already."

Drew gaped at her. "Um, Chloe---why don't you go upstairs with your Grandpa and get a muffin?"

"I want to dance," Chloe protested.

"I'm sure your Grandpa would love to dance with you," Drew said. "I bet he'll even spin you around really fast like he did with Casey."

"Kay," Chloe ran towards Ron.

Darla told Drew about what had happened upstairs. "Apparently her name's Sadie. He said she was a makeup artist."

"Dar, I'm sorry," Drew said contritely. "He's a jerk."

Darla shook her head. "No---I mean, we are separated."

"But it hasn't been that long," Drew protested.

Darla hugged Rafe to her. "I thought that, too, but still---I have no claim to him not anymore."

Drew looked at her remorsefully. "You'll be okay, Dar."

Darla nodded. "I know."

"You've got all of us," Drew said. "And I'll always be here for you. No matter what."

"Have I told you lately how great you are?" Darla asked.

"No," Drew grinned at her. "But it's okay."

Darla laughed. "Would you like to hold your nephew?"

"Always," Drew replied.

"He's had a big day," Darla said as Drew took Rafe from her.

"Yes he has," Drew kissed her nephew's forehead. "But at least he's back where he belongs."

Darla grinned. "Yes, he is and tomorrow, he gets to open his presents and he'll be surrounded by all of his family and Liam, too."

"Of course," Drew said. "Liam is good for him."

Darla wondered how Liam's visit with his family was going.

She hoped it was going well. She knew how hesitant he'd been to go back.

"Would you excuse me for a moment?" Darla asked. "I just want to make a quick call."

"I'll keep an eye on Rafe for you," Drew promised.

"Thanks," Darla said gratefully. She stepped away from the noise and pulled out her phone. She dialled Liam's mobile and thought it would go straight to his voicemail.

"Hallo?" he answered, his voice a bit short.

"Liam?" Darla asked.

"Hi Darla," he said.

"Happy Christmas," Darla told him.

"You too," he said quietly.

"How are things?" Darla asked. "I--I didn't mean to interrupt---"

"You didn't interrupt a thing," Liam said flatly.

"What happened?" Darla asked him. "Things didn't go so well with your family?"

"That's the understatement of the century," Liam replied.

"That bad?" Darla asked.

"Me dad showed up drunk," Liam said. "And stayed that way all day. My brother didn't come at all..."

"Oh, Liam," Darla said sympathetically. "I'm so sorry."

"I shouldn't have expected anything else," Liam said.

"Where are you now?" Darla asked him.

"Home," he answered.

"Alone?" Darla asked.

"Yes," he said.

"Do you still want to join us tomorrow at the Burrow?" Darla asked him.

"I'll be there tomorrow," Liam promised. "Tonight I'd just like to be by myself."

"I can understand that," Darla said. "I'm---I'm looking forward to seeing you tomorrow."

She could hear him smile. "I'm looking forward to it as well."

"Be prepared to eat your weight in food," Darla said. "You know my Nana is going to feed you until you're ready to burst."

"That'll be great," he said honestly.

Darla smiled. "So we'll meet at my house tomorrow around eight?"

"That sounds good to me," Liam said. "Thanks Darla.”

"It's my pleasure," Darla said. "Good night, Liam."

"Night," he said. "See you tomorrow."

"Night," Darla said before ending the call.

She went and rejoined her family but didn't say anything about Liam's family troubles. She was certain he didn’t' want everyone to know.

Ron was now holding Rafe and was making goofy faces at him causing the baby to laugh.

Darla had to smile at her father and her son.

"He's an easy laugh," Ron said.

"He loves you," Darla said.

"He's my boy," Ron said laughing as Rafe put his little fist up in the air.

Darla stroked his soft little cheek. "Mine too..."

"His first Christmas," Ron said smiling at his daughter.

"I'm so glad he's back with me," Darla carefully took her son into her arms.

"And your grandmother is really looking forward to it," Ron said. "You know she has knitted his first Weasley jumper."

"She didn't have to do that," Darla said.

"Try telling her that," Ron grinned.

"Rafe!" Chloe said. "Look!" she spun around.

Darla turned with the baby so he could see what Chloe was doing.

"Great job!" Ron clapped for his granddaughter.

Chloe beamed. "Wanna see my flip?"

"Your flip?" Darla asked.

Chloe nodded and put her hands on the floor turning herself over. "Ta-da!" Chloe exclaimed.

"Wow," Darla said. "That's wonderful, Chloe!"

"Did you see, Grandpa?" Chloe asked.

"I did," Ron said. "Excellent!"

Chloe did a couple of more and then let out a yawn.

"I think that's our cue," Drew said. "It's getting late."

"And Santa's coming!" Chloe said happily.

"Yes he is," Brian said picking up his daughter.

"Night, night Rafe," Chloe looked over at her cousin.

"Good night," Darla said lifting her son's hand to wave at Chloe. "We'll see you tomorrow morning!"

"With Healer Liam?" Chloe asked.

Darla smiled. "He'll be there, Chloe. And you can just call him Liam."

Chloe giggled. "Okay, night!"

Darla smiled as Drew, Brian and Chloe left.

"You sure you don't want to stay over with us tonight?" Ron asked Darla.

"We'll be okay," Darla cuddled Rafe closely.

"At least let me see you home," Ron told her. "I want to make sure you're nice and settled."

"That sounds nice," Darla said. "Thanks Dad."

"Thank you for not putting up a fuss," Ron said. "I know that you can take care of yourself, but it makes me feel useful every now and then when you humour me."

"We know you do it because you care," Darla said.

"I'll just get your things together and meet you two upstairs," Ron said.

"We'll be just a minute," Darla promised.

Ron nodded. "Take your time."

Darla carried Rafe over to Luna. "Mum- we're going home. We'll see you in the morning."

"Oh," Luna said leaning over and kissing her grandson's cheek. "Okay, love."

"His first Christmas," Darla said.

Luna smiled. "We'll make it special for him."

"Thanks," Darla said. "Be home around seven."

Luna gave her daughter a kiss on the cheek. "It will be special for you, too, Darla. I know it will."

"I hope so," Darla said.

"Happy Christmas," Luna said.

Darla bade Maddie and the rest of her family goodbye then headed home with Ron in tow.

"You sure I can't convince you to come home with us?" Ron asked, not liking the idea of his daughter all alone.

"We're okay, Dad." Darla said. "But I suppose if you really want us there..."

Ron chuckled. "It would be just like old times, except I don't think you'll be jumping on the bed in the morning to wake me and your mum up so you can open presents."

"Drew did that!" Darla laughed. "That wasn't me, Dad."

"Sure it was," Ron said affectionately.

"It was," Darla said. "She was the ringleader, remember?"

"Of course," Ron said with a straight face as Darla began to gather a bag of Rafe's things together.

"Alright," Darla laughed. "I might have been responsible for a few things..."

"A few?" Ron asked.

"More than my fair share," Darla admitted. She put a now-sleeping Rafe in his carrier.

"I've got him," Ron said.

"Thanks," Darla said gratefully. "Um---hang on just a second." She took out her mobile and quickly sent a text message to Liam to let him know she'd be at her parents' house and to meet her there tomorrow.

"All set?" Ron asked.

"Absolutely," Darla replied.

Darla followed her father out and was glad to go to her parents' house. It beat being alone on Christmas Eve.

Darla was going to stay in her old room and her mother had set up a crib for Rafe. After the three of them watched Rafe for a few moments, they went downstairs and wrapped some presents.

"Chloe's made out like a bandit," Darla said.

Luna laughed. "She made a list for us."

"She's too much," Darla said. "I can't wait for Christmas when Rafe is a little older."

"He'll grow up way too fast," Luna said thoughtfully. "You lot did."

"Seems like yesterday we were running around here without a care in the world," Darla said wistfully.

Luna smiled. "I feel that way most of the time, too."

"Hans is seeing someone," Darla admitted.

Luna's smile faltered. "What?"

"He told me today when he dropped Rafe off," Darla said, trying not to show how much this upset her.

"Oh, sweetheart," Luna said squeezing her daughter's hand. "I'm so sorry."

"I could strangle that bloke," Ron grumbled.

"I have no right to be upset," Darla said.

"You were married to him," Luna reasoned. "It's normal you'd feel this way, Darla."

"I just didn't think I'd be so easily replaced," Darla said quietly.

"You can't be replaced," Ron told her. "He's the one who didn't realise what he had."

"Thanks Dad," Darla said.

"You're going to get through this," Luna said determinedly.

"I have Rafe," Darla said. "That's all that matters to me."

Luna smiled. "He's a wonderful little boy, Darla. He loves you so much."

Darla had to smile. "He's everything to me."

"Just as you and your brothers and sisters are everything to us," Ron said.

Darla leaned back against the edge of the sofa as she finished taping the paper over a box. "I guess this just wasn't the Christmas I was expecting," she said.

Ron bit back the comment he wanted to make about Hans.

"I'm just going to try and put it out of my mind, for tomorrow at least," Darla said.

"We'll be there for you," Luna promised.

"Thanks," Darla said gratefully.

"I think we're all set here," Luna said. "I think it's time for bed. Right, Ronald?"

"I'm pretty tired," he nodded.

"All that dancing," Darla said getting up and walking over to her father. She hugged him tightly.

Ron patted her back. "We love you, sweetheart."

"I love you too," Darla said softly. "And I'm really glad that you asked us to stay here tonight."

"I didn't feel right with you home all alone," Ron said. "Now you get to wake up and have breakfast with us."

Darla grinned. "Thanks, Daddy."

Darla headed back up and peeked over the top of the crib at her son.

She smiled down at him. "Tomorrow's a big day."

Rafe puckered his little lips in his sleep.

Darla climbed into her old twin bed and sighed. She wouldn't think about Hans and this new girlfriend of his.

Instead, her thoughts strayed to Liam. She felt terrible that his Christmas with his family had gone so wrong.

She would do everything she could tomorrow to ensure that he had a good time.

He'd become a very good friend to her in the past few months. Even though now he wasn't her healer anymore, they still found reasons to hang out with each other.

She didn't know what she would have done without him.

Darla closed her eyes and sighed. Rafe murmured in his sleep and she waited to see if he was going to wake up.

When he didn't, Darla closed her own eyes and drifted off to sleep.

296. Chapter 296 A Red Christmas

Authors’ note: A bit of a cliffhanger with this chapter. Come on---it’s been a while since we did it!

Hannah had never been more excited for a Christmas morning. Nathan and Isabelle were finally old enough to understand about Santa and the three of them had camped downstairs by the fireplace the night before, hoping to catch a glimpse of him.

"And Izzie fell asleep first, then Nathan," Hannah was telling her mother. "I tried to stay awake but I was just too tired. When I woke up all my biscuits were gone, though!"

"He always eats your biscuits," Frankie said with a grin.

"Remember when he left me a note?" Hannah asked. "And told me mine were the best?"

"I do," Frankie nodded. "You still have it, right?"

"In my special box," Hannah nodded.

"Will!" Frankie called out. "Come on!"

"One minute," Will said. "Just getting our little naked beauty into some clothes."

"Daddy, Daddy, Daddy!" Isabelle exclaimed kicking her little legs in the air.

"Izzie, Izzie, Izzie," Will made a face at her.

Isabelle giggled.

"Are you ready to open some presents?" Will asked her.

Isabelle nodded. "Han!"

"Hannah's waiting for you," Will told her. "So are Mummy and Nathan."

Isabelle settled down and Will finished dressing her. He picked her up and carried her into the sitting room.

Frankie smiled. "I didn't think I'd be able to hold them off any longer."

"I'm ready to get tearing," Hannah said

"Who's going to go first?" Will asked.

"Me!" Isabelle said instantly.

"Me!" Nathan exclaimed, reaching for a package.

"All right," Frankie laughed. "You all better get going, everyone's going to be here in an hour and a half."

Nathan and Isabelle eagerly tore into their first packages while Hannah, Frankie and Will watched.

"Bear!" Nathan said happily.

"Me too!" Isabelle said excitedly holding hers up. "Thank you, Santa!"

"That's a good girl," Frankie said. "Hannah- go ahead and open yours up."

"Okay," Hannah said peering under the tree.

Nathan and Isabelle showed no interest in the clothing they received. They only had eyes for the toys and stuffed animals.

Nathan threw a jumper over his shoulder that hit his father in the face.

"Nathan," Will laughed.

"No," Nathan said, reaching for his toy jet engine.

Will shook his head. "I'm sure my mum's going to love hearing how Nathan liked that jumper."

"He'll look adorable in it," Frankie picked it up.

Hannah smiled when she opened up the present from Frankie. It was a purple journal. "Mummy! This is just what I wanted!"

"I'm glad, sweetheart," Frankie said.

Hannah opened another package that contained new quill and ink set from her father. It was similar to the set he had in his office.

"This is so neat!" she said happily. "Just like yours Daddy."

Will grinned as Hannah gave him a hug. "You always use mine and I thought you could use those with your new journal."

"I will," Hannah nodded. "I’m going to write something soon as I'm done opening presents."

After the children finished unwrapping their presents, Hannah came forward and handed her mother a box. "This is from me, Izzie and Nathan."

"You didn't have to get me anything, baby." Frankie said, tearing open the paper.

"We wanted to," Hannah said.

Frankie looked in the box to find a framed print of her three children and Belle, laughing and waving to her.

Frankie grinned. "When did you take this?"

"A few days ago," Will told her,

Frankie wiped at her eyes. "This is beautiful. Thank you!"

"We're glad you like it Mummy," Hannah said.

"I love it," Frankie said hugging her oldest daughter. Isabelle and Nathan toddled over to hug her also.

Will grinned. "They were fun to photograph, that's for sure."

"We got you something too, Daddy," Hannah said to Will.

"You did?" Will asked.

"It's the one with the gold paper under the tree," Hannah told him.

"I've got it," Will said, grabbing it.

Hannah grinned and looked over at her brother and sister.

"Open it," Nathan told his father.

Will unwrapped the present. "Did you lot make this?"

"Yes," Hannah bounced on the edge of the sofa.

"This is great!" Will exclaimed holding up the picture. "This is going up in my office."

Hannah grinned. "Nathan drew the cows...kind of. Isabelle did the scribbles on the corner there and I did the house."

"It's brilliant," Will said.

Isabelle clapped her hands. "Yay, Daddy!"

Will grinned at her. "Good job on the scribbles, princess."

Isabelle beamed at him.

"You have one more gift under there Hannah," Frankie said, a bit reluctantly. "It's from Mallory."

Hannah grinned. "Really?"

"It arrived a few days ago," Frankie said.

Hannah reached for the present and eagerly began unwrapping it.

Inside was a princess themed photo album. Hannah picked it up and exclaimed in delight. "Look!"

"That's really nice," Will said.

"I suppose you should ring her later to thank her," Frankie said.

Hannah nodded. "Izzie, come here and see..."

Izzie picked up her bear. "Who that?"

"It's my present from my Aunt Mallory," Hannah said.

Isabelle pointed to Belle. "Hannah!"

Hannah grinned. "Pretty cool, huh?"

Isabelle nodded.

Nathan tugged on Frankie's arm. "Hungry, Mummy."

"We can give them a little something to tide them over until everyone gets here," Will said.

"Come on into the kitchen, Mister," Frankie grinned at Nathan.

Nathan toddled eagerly after his mother.

"Me too," Isabelle said, using her free hand to grab Hannah. "Come, Hannah."

"Okay Izzie," Hannah said.

Frankie poured them each a cup of juice.

"Yummy," Nathan reached for his cup.

"Santa didn't eat all of our biscuits," Frankie said holding out the plate.

"I want!" Isabelle said.

"What do you say?" Frankie prompted.

"Please," Hannah said when neither of her siblings said anything.

"Please," Isabelle echoed.

"Please," Nathan nodded, reaching eagerly for the plate.

Frankie smiled. "Just one."

"Hungry," Nathan said.

"Maybe two," Frankie said.

Nathan grinned happily.

"You're easy to please," Frankie said kissing him on the cheek.

"I love Mummy," Nathan said.

"What about me?" Will asked grinning at him.

"Daddy too," Nathan said.

Will mussed his son's hair before he grabbed a biscuit from the plate.

"Daddy you might spoil your breakfast," Hannah said mischievously.

"Seeing as he's already had five," Frankie said looking pointedly at him. "I saw you sneak a few."

Will grinned sheepishly.

"Bad Daddy," Isabelle said wagging her finger at him.

Will laughed.

Hannah laughed, too. "You looked just like Mummy just then, Iz."

"That's not such a bad thing," Will said.

"Absolutely not," Frankie said nibbling on a biscuit. "We have a big day ahead of us, don't we?"

"Yes," Hannah said. "I'm going to get dressed."

"Okay, sweetheart," Frankie said. She watched as Hannah left the kitchen.

The phone rang and Frankie laughed. "What do you want to bet it's your brother and he's running late?"

"Maybe it's your sister and Jon's running late," Will countered.

Frankie shook her head. "Doubtful..."

She picked up the phone. "Jack, you're running late..."

"Um, no," a familiar voice said. "Frankie, it's me...Mallory."

"Oh," Frankie said in surprise.

"Merry Christmas," Mallory said.

"You too," Frankie said. "Hannah loved her gift."

"She did?" Mallory asked happily.

"Yes," Frankie replied. "Very much."

"Can I talk to her?" Mallory asked.

"She's getting dressed," Frankie said. "If you'll give her a few minutes..."

"Of course," Mallory said.

Frankie told Will to go get Hannah and waited with the phone, feeling quite awkward. "So um... how are you?"

"I'm well," Mallory said. "And you?"

"Fine," Frankie replied, unsure of what else to say to the woman.

"And how are Nathan and Izzie?" Mallory asked.

"They're enjoying Christmas morning," Frankie replied.

Hannah ran into the kitchen.

Frankie gladly held out the phone. "Not too long baby. We need to get everything picked up."

Hannah didn't hear her mother as she took the phone. "Hi, Aunt Mallory! Happy Christmas!"

Frankie was dying to hear what the other woman said as Hannah laughed happily.

Will put a hand on her shoulder. "Want some coffee?"

"Sure," Frankie replied absently.

"Its fine," Will reassured her.

"I'm trying to be open," Frankie said. "But I can't forget those things she said to me at the airport."

"She said it was a misunderstanding," Will said. "And that all she wants is to be a part of Hannah's life."

"Of course she'd say that," Frankie shrugged. "But I just keep feeling that there's more."

"Things have been okay since then," Will said thoughtfully.

"Because she hasn't been here," Frankie pointed out.

"It's Christmas, Frankie," Will said putting his arms around her. "Don't worry about this."

Frankie relaxed. "Okay."

Frankie listened as Hannah told Mallory everything she'd received for Christmas.

"And we're having my other aunts and uncles and cousins over today," Hannah finished.

Will poured the twins another glass of juice.

"Hannah!" Isabelle waved. "Play!"

"One minute, Izzie," Hannah promised.

Frankie picked up her youngest daughter. "Why don't we go and play with your new toys?"

"Love toys," Isabelle said.

Frankie grinned. "Someday, you'll like the clothes more."

Isabelle wrinkled her nose at her mother.

Frankie laughed. "Trust me."

Frankie set Isabelle down and went about cleaning up all the wrapping paper from the sitting room.

"Want Hannah, Mummy," Isabelle said.

"She'll be off the phone soon," Frankie told her daughter.

Frankie picked up her framed photograph of her children and smiled.

This one was definitely making her desk at work so she could see it all the time.

Hannah came into the sitting room with Nathan in tow.

"Oh you're off the phone," Frankie tried to keep the brightness from her voice.

Hannah nodded and sat down on the floor with her brother.

"Why don't you get yourself dressed," Frankie suggested. "Then you three can play all you want."

Hannah nodded. "Okay, Nathan. I'll be right back. You set up the blocks, okay?"

"Kay," he nodded.

Hannah gave her mother a quick hug before she ran back upstairs.

Frankie felt better after that. Will promised to watch the twins so she could get herself ready.

Hannah came back downstairs a few moments later and she helped the twins build a tower of blocks.

"Don't you look pretty," Will said to his older daughter.

Hannah beamed at him. "Thanks, Daddy."

"I'm going to go up and get dressed," Will told her. "Can you keep an eye on these two for me?"

Hannah nodded. "Sure. We'll be fine."

Will headed upstairs to take a quick shower.

Hannah helped her brother and sister build a tall tower.

"It gonna fall!" Isabelle worried. "No fall, Hannah."

"No fall," Hannah told her sister.

Nathan handed another block to Hannah. "On top."

"Okay," Hannah had to stand up.

Isabelle and Nathan both grinned when Hannah placed the block on top and the tower didn't fall.

"Told you," Hannah said.

"Yay!" Isabelle clapped her little hands together.

"Do you think we can do one more?" Hannah asked them.

"Yes," Nathan said.

"Izzie, it's your turn to pick one," Hannah said. "Hand me a block."

Unbeknownst to the three children, Frankie was watching them.

Isabelle looked thoughtfully at the pile before finally picking a purple block. She handed it to her sister.

"That's good," Hannah said.

Isabelle smiled and caught sight of her mother. She waved. "Mummy, watch!"

"That looks lovely, you three," Frankie said,

Hannah grinned. "Let's hope it doesn't fall."

"I don't think it will," Frankie said, straightening the sofa cushions.

Hannah placed the block on top of the tower. "Ta-Da!"

"Look Mummy!" Nathan squealed.

"I see," Frankie grinned at him. "You three make a great team!"

"Definitely," Hannah smiled at her siblings.

Frankie picked up Nathan. "You can try one more. Hannah, hand him a block."

"Here you go Nate," Hannah said.

Nathan took the block and with Frankie's help, carefully placed it on top.

"Go, Nate!" Hannah exclaimed.

"No fall!" Nathan shouted happily.

Frankie set him down. "Miss Isabelle..."

"Me too?" Isabelle asked.

"Of course," Frankie said picking her up. Hannah handed Isabelle a purple block.

"Be slow and steady," Hannah coached.

"Slow," Isabelle repeated.

"You can do it," Frankie told her.

"Do it," Isabelle carefully put the block on the tower.

"There you go!" Hannah grinned. "We did it!"

"Big!" Isabelle shrieked.

Nathan clapped as Isabelle hugged her mother tightly.

Frankie kissed her cheek. "You all did a great job."

The doorbell chimed and Frankie grinned. "Who do you think that is?"

"Uncle Jack, Aunt Claire and Mia," Hannah squealed.

"Sukie!" Isabelle guessed.

"They would come through the fireplace," Hannah said.

"Oh," Isabelle said.

"I'll get it."

"I'll go with you," Hannah said eagerly.

Frankie took Hannah's hand.

As Hannah had predicted, Jack, Claire and Mia were standing on the other side of the door. "Happy Christmas!" Hannah exclaimed.

"Happy Christmas," Mia echoed.

"Come in," Frankie ushered them past her. "We're just getting breakfast started."

Jack, Claire and Mia hung up their coats on the coat rack. "Where's that brother of mine?" Jack asked.

"He'll be down in a minute," Frankie gave them all hugs.

Hannah took Mia's hand. "You have to see the tower we just built."

"Okay," Mia giggled when she saw Isabelle and Nathan. "Hi you guys!"

Isabelle waved. "Hi, Hi!"

Nathan toddled over to Mia and gave her a hug.

"Happy Christmas, Nathan!" Mia told him.

"Santa came," Nathan told her.

"What did you get?" Mia asked.

"Bear," Nathan said. "And blocks."

"And clothes," Frankie chimed in.

"No," Nathan made a face.

Claire and Frankie laughed. "At this age, they just don't care about the clothes," Claire said.

"Not at all," Frankie said.

"Nathan was throwing them over his shoulder," Hannah told them.

"He's obviously Will's son," Frankie explained with a grin.

Jack laughed. "Oh, Will liked getting books even better than clothes. I was the one who fancied the toys."

"That's my husband," Frankie said as Will finally joined them.

"What?" Will asked, giving his brother a hug.

"Whenever you got a book for Christmas, you wouldn't even open the rest of your gifts. You'd just start reading," Jack said.

"What's wrong with wanting to learn something?" Will asked.

"Absolutely nothing," Frankie said, putting her arms around him.

Will gave her a kiss just as the fireplace roared to life.

Isabelle squealed when she saw her twin cousins. "Sukie!"

"Hi!" Sukie cried out. "I'm here!"

"Happy Christmas, Snow," Mia and Hannah said to her.

Sukie giggled. "I love being a princess!"

"Hello, Mas," Will said scooping his nephew up into his arms. "How are you?'

Mas laughed. "I was good this year."

"Is that true, Tosh?" Will asked his brother-in-law.

"He's actually right," Toshio said with a grin.

"No, he wasn't," Sukie said in a sing-song voice. "He was bad."

"Sukie," Chiaki said in a warning tone.

"No!" Mas exclaimed.

"You were both fine," Toshio said firmly.

"Chi, you want to help me in the kitchen?" Frankie asked.

"Sure," Chiaki said.

Frankie led the way into the kitchen. "Don't worry. I have lots of vegetarian options for you and Mum."

"You're too good to us," Chiaki said.

Chiaki spotted the photo album Mallory had give to Hannah. "Oh this is nice! Did you and Will get this for Hannah?"

"No," Frankie said. "That was from Mallory."

"Oh," Chiaki said. "That's a lovely gift."

"It's nice," Frankie admitted.

"She coming back to London anytime soon?" Chiaki asked as she helped her sister set the table.

"Not that I know of," Frankie said.

"And how do you feel about that?" Chiaki asked.

"I don't like her," Frankie said. "And the further away she stays, the happier I am. But Hannah does enjoy her very much."

"She is the last link that she has to her biological mother," Chiaki said thoughtfully.

"I just can't help the feeling that Mallory wants more than just being an aunt," Frankie confessed.

"You're Hannah's mother for all intents and purposes," Chiaki reassured her.

"I know," Frankie nodded.

"Just enjoy today," Chiaki told her. "Don't worry about something that is never going to happen."

Frankie smiled at her sister. "I'll try not to."

"Worry instead about whether or not I'll like what you bought me for Christmas," Chiaki teased.

"Oops," Frankie said. "I knew I forgot a gift."

Chiaki nudged her. "Francesca..."

"Just kidding," Frankie said, retrieving the cinnamon rolls from the oven.

"There are some things you do not joke about," Chiaki laughed.

"I'm sorry," Frankie apologised with a grin.

"I'll forgive you as long as it's fabulous," Chiaki said.

"For my completely fabulous sister?" Frankie asked. "Of course."

"Yes," Chiaki grinned.

"I wonder where Allie and Jon are," Frankie said.

"They'll be here soon," Chiaki said. "Allie said they had a late start."

"Dare I ask?" Frankie questioned.

"Adam has a cold," Chiaki said.

"Oh no," Frankie said in dismay.

"Nothing too serious," Chiaki said. "He's fine."

"No one can be sick on Christmas Day," Frankie said.

"Especially not a kid," Chiaki said.

"Will you get the casserole out of the icebox?" Frankie asked her sister.

Chiaki nodded. "You and Will have gone all out."

"We knew everyone would be hungry," Frankie said.

"Of course," Chiaki said. "This lot especially.'

Frankie put the cinnamon rolls on a plate as Chiaki began scrambling up some eggs.

Frankie hoped she would be able to put this drama with Mallory behind her and enjoy the day with her family. She just hoped that Maddie was having just as fun a day at the Burrow.

Maddie was indeed having a good day, enjoying the company of her husband and two daughters.

They'd been among the first to arrive at the Burrow and Molly was currently gushing over her great-granddaughters.

"Hi!" Kiera grinned at her great grandmother.

Molly pinched Kiera's cheeks. "Hello, my pretty girl."

Kiera giggled and reached for Molly.

Molly picked her up and hugged her tightly. "You can be my special helper today, Kiera."

"She'll love that, Nana," Ethan told her. "You wouldn't believe how quick she can get around."

"We can believe it, can't we, Arthur?" Molly asked.

"Sure can," Arthur grinned at the two little girls.

"We're going to have quite the crowd," Molly said to Kiera. "And we have to make it very special because it's Rafe and Gwyn's first Christmas here."

"Oh," Kiera nodded.

Arthur shrunk one of Molly's aprons and handed it to his wife. "Your little helper should have an apron, too."

Molly laughed and tied it around her granddaughter's tiny little figure. "Perfect."

"That's adorable!" Maddie exclaimed.

Kiera examined the apron. "Buh see!" she said to her parents.

"You can go show him," Ethan told her. "But do not let him out of his cage."

Kiera giggled and managed her way over to the cage sitting on the coffee table.

Maddie followed her daughter.

"Buh!" Kiera said to the little pixie. "See!"

Blue rattled his cage in response.

"Doesn't she look lovely, Blue?" Maddie asked.

Kiera stuck her finger through the cage and Blue looped his hand around it. Kiera smiled. "Buh. Love Buh."

Blue cackled and spun back around into his cage.

Maddie touched her daughter's shoulder. "Come on. Let's go help, Nana."

Kiera reached up to her.

Maddie picked her up and carried her back into the kitchen.

"What can we do to help, Nana?" Maddie asked.

"Set the table for one," Molly replied.

"Sure," Maddie said, opening up the cupboard. She waved her wand and the dishes flew to the table. Kiera watched with wide eyes.

Ethan laughed. "Your mummy's pretty cool, isn't she, Kiera?"

Kiera pointed to the glasses as they flew over her head. "Look!"

"I see," Ethan smiled at her.

Kiera giggled as the silverware spun through the air.

Ron, Maddie, Darla, Liam and Rafe arrived and Molly momentarily forgot about cooking. "There's my boy!"

Rafe gazed at her with his wide eyes.

Darla smiled at her grandmother. "Let me just take him out of his carrier, Nana."

"She's not going to be able to wait much longer," Ron teased.

Molly swatted at him. "Ronald, that's enough of that."

"Here we are," Darla surrendered her little bundle to her grandmother.

Molly kissed Rafe's soft cheek. "Darla, he gets more handsome each time I see him."

"Yes he does," Darla agreed with a grin. "Nana, you remember my friend Liam, right?"

"Of course," Molly said warmly. "I'm so happy you could join us today, Liam."

"Thank you for having me," Liam said.

"It's our pleasure," Molly said. "I hope you brought your appetite."

"He eats as much as a Weasley," Darla said.

"You'll fit in just fine," Molly said carrying the baby into the kitchen. Ron and Luna followed, but Liam and Darla hung back. Darla took his cloak.

"Get ready to eat," Darla told him seriously. "Nana always has enough food for an army."

Liam smiled. "So you've told me."

"Right," Darla said. "Just in case you forgot..."

He laughed. "I just appreciate you taking pity on a lonely soul and inviting him."

"You're my friend and I wouldn't want you to be alone on Christmas Day," Darla said firmly.

Liam helped her with her cloak. "Thanks, Darla."

Darla smiled at him. "Come on," she said.

Darla led the way into the kitchen. "Grandpa!" she exclaimed, walking over to hug Arthur. "Happy Christmas!"

"Hello dear," Arthur kissed her cheek.

"Hello, Mr. Weasley," Liam said extending his hand.

"Good to see you," Arthur shook his hand. "Glad you could join us today, Healer Thornhart."

"Call me Liam," Liam told him.

"And you call me Arthur," he said with a grin.

This was quite a change from the family Liam had grown up in. Though he'd been around the Weasleys before, he was always amazed at how welcoming and warm they were. He understood why Darla had become the inviting, sweet person she was.

"Come have a seat," Arthur invited.

Liam sat down. "Oh, you have a Muggle Ipod, Mr. Weasley."

Arthur grinned. "Isn't it fantastic?"

"Grandpa loves everything associated with Muggles," Darla told Liam.

"I enjoy some of their technology too," Liam said. "I have one of these at home."

"Aren't they amazing?" Arthur asked. "The box said I could put over seven thousand songs on here."

"It's pretty incredible," Liam nodded. "I don't even know seven thousand songs."

"I don't know what I'm supposed to do with these things," Arthur said holding up the ear buds.

Darla smiled. "Grandpa, you put those in your ears so you can hear the music."

"Oh," Arthur brightened. "Well look at that!"

Darla and Liam smiled at each other.

Arthur went into the kitchen to show Molly the Ipod. "Thanks," Darla said. "Hans never really bothered talking to him."

"Really?" Liam asked. "Why not? He's great."

"He is," Darla agreed. "So are you."

Liam grinned at her. "I meant to tell you earlier...you look really nice today. Not that you don't look nice everyday, because you do, but---I'm rambling..."

Darla flushed a bit. "Thanks Liam. I always like to look extra nice on the holiday."

"So---um, what made you stay at your parents last night?" Liam asked.

"I just didn't want to be by myself," Darla said.

"You sounded a little sad last night when we spoke," Liam said. "Is everything okay?"

"I guess not having someone at the holidays is sort of rough," Darla confessed. "Plus, it was the first time I spent the day away from Rafe. I missed him so much."

"How was his holiday with his dad?" Liam asked.

Darla shook her head.

"Sounds like it was about as much fun as mine," Liam mused.

"Hans is already seeing someone else," Darla admitted.

Liam wanted to say he was surprised, but he wasn't given what little he did know of her estranged husband.

"I just..." Darla sighed. "It threw me for a loop. We haven't been separated that long."

"He's an idiot," Liam said shaking his head.

Darla only shrugged. "An idiot that I married, so what does that make me?"

"My good friend," Liam said smiling at her. "And we can make a deal, okay? We won't talk about my screwed up family today or your idiot soon to be ex-husband."

"Deal," Darla smiled at him.

Luna carried Rafe over to Darla. "I think he wants his Mummy."

Darla reached for her son. "Are you being fussy, my love?"

Rafe let out a small cry.

"Shhh," Darla said soothingly.

"Can I get you both something to drink?" Luna asked. "Molly's made hot apple cider."

"That sounds lovely," Darla nodded.

"Thanks, Luna," Liam said.

"Be right back," Luna smiled at them.

Liam made a goofy face at Rafe and the infant laughed.

"He likes you," Darla said also laughing.

Liam made another face and again Rafe laughed. He reached a hand out toward Liam.

"Want to hold him?" Darla offered.

Liam nodded. "Sure, come here, mate."

Darla smiled as Liam carefully took her son in his arms.

Rafe cooed happily up at him.

"You're a natural," Darla told him.

Liam grinned. "I've had a lot of practise, Darla."

"Yes but he never smiles like this," Darla pointed out.

Liam bounced Rafe gently on his knee and again Rafe laughed.

Darla laughed. She loved hearing that sound from her son.

Luna came over with their cups of cider. "Here you are."

"Thanks Mum," Darla sipped hers carefully. "It's delicious."

Luna smiled at her daughter before she walked away. Darla knew her mother and father were worried about her.

"So," Darla asked Liam. "What are you going to do for New Year's Eve?"

"I don't know yet," Liam shrugged. "I might be working."

"I usually go over to Drew and Brian's," Darla said.

"What do you lot do over there?" he asked her.

"Well, we go to the Ministry Ball and then we'll go back over to theirs afterwards."

Darla replied.

"Oh," Liam nodded. "I'm sure you'll have fun."

"Feeling like a third wheel," Darla said.

"I'll have to find out if I work," Liam replied.

Darla blushed. "I wasn't fishing for an invitation, Liam."

He turned red. "I know-- I was just saying... I don't know if I work... I didn't mean--"

"I'd like to go with you," Darla interjected. "If you were to ask, that is."

"Oh," Liam said. "Well um... let me see if I work and if not... we can go..."

Darla smiled. "Okay."

Liam smiled back at her.

"It will be almost as fun as the St. Mungos ball," Darla teased. "You stepped on my feet how many times when we were dancing?"

"I thought your feet would be black and blue," he said ruefully.

"You did fine after that first dance," Darla reassured him.

"Thanks," Liam replied. "But this time... we'll see about dancing."

"Come on," Darla said. "It's a ball! You have to dance!"

"That means we have to dress up, right?" Liam grimaced.

"Come on," Darla said. "You can dress up for one night. As I recall, you do clean up rather nice."

"When I want to," he said with a grin.

"You should do it more often," Darla said. "Right, Rafe?"

Rafe cooed as he closed his eyes.

"I should put him down," Darla said taking him from Liam.

"He's still sleeping through the night?" Liam asked.

Darla nodded. "For the most part, yes."

"Good," Liam nodded.

"I'll be right back," Darla told him.

Liam nodded, watching her leave the room.

Brian, Chloe and Drew arrived and Drew grinned when she saw him. "Hello, Liam. Happy Christmas!"

"Hi Drew," he greeted her. "Happy Christmas to you all as well."

"Alright, mate?" Brian asked him.

"Hanging in there," Liam shook his hand.

Chloe tugged on Drew's hand. "Mummy, want to help Kiera and Nana!"

"Go ahead in the kitchen," Drew told her daughter.

Chloe dashed into the kitchen.

Drew shook her head. "Where she gets the energy from, I'll never know."

"Weren't we all like that once?" Liam asked dryly.

"I'm still like that," Brian said defensively. "It's Drew..."

"I beg your pardon?" Drew asked, her eyebrows raised.

"Only kidding," Brian said hastily.

"Better," Drew caught Liam's eye and grinned.

"Good save, mate," Liam said.

"Food will be ready soon!" Molly's voice floated from the kitchen.

Drew grinned. "I can't wait."

Darla came up behind her sister. "Happy Christmas!"

"Hi Dar," Drew hugged her sister.

"You look gorgeous," Darla told her.

"If I look gorgeous, then so do you," Drew returned with a grin.

Darla laughed. "I couldn't agree more."

"It smells wonderful," Drew said. "What's Nana making?"

"Better to ask what isn't she making probably," Darla said.

"I'd get a shorter answer," Drew deadpanned.

"Whatever it is smells delicious," Liam commented.

"She'll love you for saying that," Darla told him. "Come on."

Darla grabbed hold of his arm and led him into the kitchen. She didn't let go and Liam didn't say anything. It felt ...natural.

"Everyone sit down," Molly said. "The children at this table."

"That includes you, Katie," Julie pointed out when Katie moved toward the grown-up table.

"But--" Katie began to protest.

"I'm sitting there too," Ashley said grabbing her sister by the arm. "Come on, Katie."

"And I'm there too," Caroline told her.

"Fine," Katie sighed.

"When did you guys get here?" Ashley asked Caroline.

"Just a few minutes ago," Caroline replied. "Adam's feeling better. He had a cold."

"My mum and dad always brew a potion for us," Ashley said. "It always makes us better right away."

"My dad made one for him," Caroline said. "That's why he's feeling better."

"That's good," Ashley said as Adam sat down next to her.

"No sick," Adam announced.

Ashley grinned at him. "I'm glad to hear that."

Adam grinned back at her. "Draw?"

"Well not right now," Ashley said. "But we can draw after lunch."

"Can I draw too?" Emma asked.

"We'll all draw," Ashley promised. "I got a brand new sketchbook I brought with me today."

"Cool," Emma said reaching for a piece of bread. "Adam, remember, don't waste any food."

"I know," Adam said.

"I mean it!" Emma said wagging a finger at him.

Adam glared at her. "Go away Em."

"Daddy! Adam's being mean!" Emma called out.

"Em being mean too!" Adam told.

"Em, come over and sit by me," Caroline suggested. "That way you and Adam are separated."

Emma stuck her tongue out at her brother.

"Emma Madeline," Allison warned.

Emma blushed. She hadn't known her mother was watching.

"Sorry, Mummy," Emma said quietly.

"Go sit down," Allison told her.

Emma reluctantly sat down beside Caroline. "I was just trying to help him, Sissy."

"Yeah but you know what Mummy and Daddy said about bossing him around," Caroline told her. "He knows what to do with his food."

"Not always," Emma tried to argue.

"Yes you do," Caroline told her.

"You never bossed me around," Emma commented.

"I know," Caroline said. "So you don't need to boss around Adam."

"I'll try," Emma said.

Katie smiled at the little redhead. "You know what I miss? How you used to always call yourself 'Em' and say stuff like 'Em want to eat'."

"I can do that again," Emma told her.

"You're going to be six in just a few days," Caroline said.

Emma nodded. "Almost time to go to Hogwarts."

"Em, you're making your dad feel old," Jon called out.

"You're not THAT old," Emma said.

Everyone laughed at this.

"Emma Madeline, how old do you think I am, exactly?" Jon asked.

"Seventy six," Emma answered.

Again, everyone laughed at this, save for Jon. "Seventy six?" Jon asked incredulously.

"And Mummy's twenty," Emma added.

Allison beamed at her daughter. "Thank you, Emma."

Ron guffawed. "My son looks older than me."

Jon looked over at Josh. "Don't laugh. If I look old, so do you."

Josh hid his grin. "Guess you have a point there."

"In case you were wondering, Emma Madeline, your Uncle Josh and I are thirty-five. Not seventy-six. And your mother is thirty-four."

"Thanks, Jonathan," Allison glared at him.

"But she doesn't look a day over twenty," Jon added.

"Good save," Ron told his son.

"And as Maddie always says age isn't anything but a number," Drew said.

Maddie laughed. "I remember learning that from Frankie."

"She used to say that to defend her dating," Allison recalled.

"How many people did she date?" Caroline asked curiously.

Allison laughed. "Too many to count."

"Does Uncle Will know?" Emma asked.

"Yes, he knows," Maddie said.

"And he still loves her?" Emma pursued.

"Yes, because he knows that he's the only one for her now," Maddie said.

"Oh," Emma nodded.

"Some people like to shop around a little before they settle on one," Ethan said.

Emma giggled. "Katie likes to shop."

Katie grinned. "Yes, I do."

Caroline mustered a smile. She felt distanced from her best friend these days.

There were times that the old Katie would show her face and Caroline liked that. But, over this holiday, it seemed that there was a new Katie emerging. One that valued popularity and other superficial things more.

She wished Mia could have come with them to the Burrow but she was still at Aunt Frankie's.

At the grown-up table, Darla snuck a look at Liam across the table. He seemed to be enjoying the meal.

"Is there anything else I can get anyone?" Molly asked.

"No, Nana," Nick said. "Everything's great."

Molly was about to say something to her grandson when she heard a commotion coming from the sitting room.

"Mum!" a female voice cried out. "MUM!"

Molly gasped. "Ginevra?"

297. Chapter 297 Christmas Continued

Authors’ note: We appreciate the great response to the last chapter! Thanks so much for reading and we’ll be interested to see what you have to say with this next chapter! Enjoy!

Nick groaned and looked at Julie. "She can't be serious..."

Julie looked just as shocked as everyone else as Molly hurried into the sitting room.

Ginny Weasley Malfoy had tripped over the coffee table in the middle of the room and was giggling.

"Ginevra!" Molly exclaimed, going over to her. "Sweetheart, what on earth are you doing here?"

Ginny stumbled as she tried to get up. "Happy Christmas!"

"She's pissed," Nick muttered helping his grandmother with Ginny.

Molly nodded worriedly. "I'll get her some coffee."

Ginny shook her head and looked over at her son. "No coffee...want Og--Og--Ogden's, Nicholas."

"Mother," Nick shook his head disgustedly. "What the hell is wrong with you?"

"Your bloody father," Ginny replied. "Worthless bastard!"

"Tell me something I don't know," Nick said bitterly.

Katie and Ashley stood in the doorway. "Good heavens," Ginny giggled. "Whose are they? Ron and Luna pop out some more did they?"

Nick shook his head. "Those are your grandchildren, Mother. My children."

Ginny squinted her eyes. "Andrea----Andrea and Kay, right?"

"Ashley and Katie," Nick said sharply.

"Plain little names," Ginny said dismissively.

"How did you get here without splinching yourself in this state?" Nick asked, trying very hard not to lose his temper in front of his children.

"I don't know..." Ginny's head lolled back. "I just had to get away from that asshole..."

Julie put her arms around her daughters. "Come on, you don't need to see this."

"What's wrong with her Mummy?" Katie asked.

"She's been drinking," Julie replied.

"Can we do anything to help?" Ashley asked. "Grandma, did you get my card? I send you one every year..."

"A card?" Ginny squinted at her. "Oh..." she flopped back and laughed. "That simpleton little thing..."

"I drew it myself," Ashley said, her voice breaking a bit.

Ginny waved her hand. "I don't know what I did with it. Probably... threw it out... or something..."

Nick grabbed his mother by the arm. "Let's take you upstairs..."

"Nicholas, you're---you're hurting me," Ginny protested.

"Good," Nick said through clenched teeth.

Ashley walked back into the kitchen and slumped back in her seat. She wiped at her eyes.

"What's wrong?" Caroline asked, concerned.

"Its okay, Ashley," Hermione said walking over to her granddaughter. "She's the one with the problem, not you. Don't waste your tears on this."

"She's so mean," Ashley said in a small voice. "I just thought maybe if she saw that someone cared... she might..."

Hermione put her arms around her and hugged her tightly.

Darla had told Liam about who the unexpected guest was and the ensuing scene had been a little too close for comfort for him. He excused himself for a breath of fresh air while Darla was helping Molly with the coffee.

When Darla came back downstairs, she looked around the kitchen. "Drew? Where---where's Liam?"

"He went outside," Drew said.

"I'll be right back," Darla said hurrying into the sitting room to grab their cloaks. She stepped out into the cold, night air and found Liam in the backyard by the picnic table. "Here," she said handing him his cloak.

"What?" he asked. "Oh... thanks."

"My aunt sure knows how to make an entrance," Darla said sitting down beside him. "She hasn't made a family Christmas …well… ever… and the one time she does---"

"She's pissed," Liam finished. "I know how that is."

"Oh," Darla said quietly.

"It's not easy," Liam said.

Darla reached for his hand. "I'm sorry. I didn't know she was going to show up like this."

He sent her a half smile. "Not your fault in the least."

"Do you want to talk about it?" Darla asked.

Liam shrugged. "Not much to talk about."

"I can't imagine what it must have been like growing up like you did," Darla said softly.

"It wasn't easy," he admitted. "Not at all... but it made me want to be a better person."

"You are," Darla said squeezing his hand. "In my opinion, you are a great person."

"Thanks," he said. "I appreciate that. I still need the encouragement once in awhile."

"That's what I'm here for," Darla grinned.

"It's cold," Liam said. "I don't want to keep you out here."

"I'm fine," Darla said. "We can go back in when you're ready."

"I'm ready," he said, helping her up. "I don't want you to miss the holiday with your family because of me."

Darla put her arms around him and hugged him tightly.

Liam allowed himself to relax in her embrace for a few moments.

"This is going to be a great Christmas, Liam," Darla whispered.

"It already is," he said. "Thanks, Dar."

Darla pulled away to look at him. His arms were still on her waist. Almost instinctively, Darla felt herself leaning in.

"Darla? Sweetheart, are you out here?" Luna called out.

Darla pulled away, her cheeks flushing. "We'll be inside in a few minutes," she said to her mother.

Luna smiled. "Your father is threatening to eat all the cake. You and Liam had better hurry."

"Right," Darla said.

"Shall we go in then?" Liam asked still looking at Darla.

"Yes," she nodded, feeling flustered.

"Darla?" Liam asked before she could go inside. She turned and looked at him. "Thank you....for everything."

Darla smiled at him. "Anytime Liam."

Just upstairs, Nick was getting his mother settled in her old bedroom. Ginny kept wanting to get up, but he kept pushing her back down.

"This place," Ginny slurred. "Never, ever---changes."

"Then why are you here?" Nick snapped.

"My mother," Ginny said, her lower lip trembling.

"What do you expect Nana to do for you?" Nick asked.

"She loves me," Ginny replied. "No matter what."

"Yeah," Nick admitted. "I guess she does. That's more than I could ever say for you."

Ginny put her head in her hands and started to cry.

"I'm not falling for it, Mother," Nick said. "You've done this way too many times. Whenever Dad is mean to you or you think that he's not paying enough attention to you, you come back here to me or to Nana."

"But I can count on you," Ginny sobbed. "I can't count on HIM."

"Who is it this time?" Nick asked folding his arms. "Some nurse at the hospital? His secretary?"

"He says no one," Ginny bawled. "But I know there has to be!"

Molly came into the room with a cup of coffee and a plate of biscuits. "Sweetheart, you should be lying down," Molly said setting the tray down on the bedside table.

"I can't," Ginny said miserably.

"Yes, you can," Molly said sitting down beside her daughter and putting an arm around her. "You've always been my sweet girl."

Nick turned around and rolled his eyes.

"Thanks Mum," Ginny said.

"Now if only Percy were here, we'd all be together," Molly said looking at Nick.

Nick forced a smile onto his face.

Ginny looked over at her mother. "You always feel like home to me, Mum."

"The important thing is you're here," Molly said. "And you can stay here as long as you like."

Ginny hugged her mother tightly. "Where's D-Daddy?"

"He's downstairs," Molly told her.

"And George and Ron and Fred? And Charlie and Bill." Ginny asked. "I'd like to see them."

"Now you want to see them?" Nick asked incredulously.

"Nicholas," Ginny put a hand over her eyes.

"And what about your granddaughters?" Nick asked. "Do you even care that you hurt Ashley's feelings? She's never given up on you, you know that?"

Ginny began to sob again. "Nicholas, you always think the worst of me!"

"Why wouldn't I?" Nick asked.

Molly held out her hand. "Nicholas, go and get Arthur, and Ginny's brothers. She'd like to see them."

Nick shook his head. "I'll ask them if they want to come up, but I wouldn’t' blame them if they don't."

"Just ask them for me," Molly said to him.

Nick cast them both a doubtful look.

"You can even bring Andrea and Kitty up if you'd like," Ginny said to him.

"Not a chance," Nick said coldly. "Not so you can hurt them again. You can't even remember their names."

"Ashley and Katie," Molly corrected Ginny. "They're wonderful girls. Nick and Julie have raised them well."

"Yes," Ginny waved a hand dismissively. "Oh my head..."

Nick stalked out of the room. His mother had such a knack for taking something nice and ruining it completely.

"Grandpa?" Nick asked as he came into the kitchen. "Nana wants to see you upstairs with Ron, Charlie, Fred, George and Bill."

Ron snorted. "I'm not going up there."

"I'll go for Mum's sake," Charlie said pushing back from his chair. "But only for hers."

"As will I," Bill replied after glancing at Fleur.

"Go for your mother," Luna said putting her hand on Ron's arm.

Ron heaved a sigh. "Fine."

The Weasley brothers trudged upstairs with their father.

Nick didn't go back up, but he watched his uncles go.

"Is she okay, Dad?" Ashley asked in a small voice.

Nick shook his head. "She'll never be okay, sweetheart. All her misdeeds have caught up to her."

"Like they did for our great-grandfather?" Ashley asked.

"Exactly," Nick nodded. He sat down by his daughters. "No matter what she says, you two are very loved. I happen to think you're the best daughters a father could have."

Katie and Ashley smiled at him.

"Thanks, Daddy," Katie said.

Nick smiled back at his daughters. "No need to let her ruin our Christmas."

"Absolutely," Julie said. "Who's up for pudding? We can eat it while the hogs are upstairs."

"ME!" Emma cried out.

Julie laughed. "How did I know you would be the first?"

"Because I love food," Emma said proudly.

"That's my girl," Jon said proudly.

"Adam can have some first," Emma allowed generously.

Adam grinned. "Thank Em!"

Emma grinned back at him. Caroline patted her shoulder. "That was really nice of you Emma."

Emma shrugged. "I can be nice."

Caroline grinned at her.

"Jules sit down," Jon said. "Josh and I can serve."

"If I do that, there won't be any left," Julie said. "Allie, Lizzy and I can do it."

"Good idea," Allison replied.

Saffron looked at her mother. "Don't you wish you could be a fly on the wall upstairs?" she asked in a low voice.

Hermione grimaced. "Not really. I cannot stand that woman."

"I wanted to kick her arse the moment she said what she did to Ashley," Saffron said shaking her head.

"You and me both," Hermione agreed.

"But Nick's right, we won't let her ruin the holiday," Saffron said determinedly.

"Not at all," Hermione replied.

Kiera grabbed her little spoon and banged it on the table like Adam.

"No," Ethan said. "That's not nice, Kiera."

"Eat," Kiera said holding out her spoon.

"Here," Ethan said, "Here's some pudding."

Kiera grinned at him. "Thank Daddy."

"My little talker," Ethan said affectionately.

Saffron made a goofy face at Kiera.

"B-brat," Kiera said.

Saffron's jaw fell as Ethan doubled over in laughter. "Ethan James! I can't believe you taught her that!"

Ethan coughed. "You're right. I'm sorry. Kiera, that was wrong."

Saffron nodded. "Thank you."

"It's Aunt Brat," Ethan said to Kiera. "Aunt Brat."

"ETHAN!" Saffron threw a piece of bread at him. "You are such a--"

"Saffron Grace," Julie interjected.

"Creep," Saffron fumed.

"She's a sponge," Ethan said defensively. "I can't help if she picks it up."

"You shouldn't say things like that in front of her," Maddie chastised him.

"Mads, come on," Ethan said. "I mean it in the best way."

"Wait until Ellie gets old enough to talk," Saffron said.

"Ellie loves her Uncle Ethan," Ethan said.

"Not for long," Saffron muttered.

"Why do you and Uncle Ethan get along better than Aunt Saffy and Uncle Ethan?" Katie asked as Julie set a dish in front of her.

"Because I'm older than Ethan, and terrorized him when he grew up," Julie said jokingly.

"Very funny, Jules," Ethan said grinning at her.

"Watch it or I'll pinch your cheeks," Julie warned him.

Ashley smiled. She tried to forget about the horrible things her grandmother had said. She had a great family and she felt sorry for her Grandmother Ginny because she didn't realise it. Ashley looked over at Adam who was happily eating his pudding. "We can draw whatever you want after we all finish eating," Ashley told him.

Adam nodded eagerly. "A dragon!"

"Breathing fire?" Ashley asked him.

"YES!" Adam shouted enthusiastically.

"You'll love these crayons I have," Ashley told him. "They make whatever you draw look like it's coming right off the page, Adam."

Adam looked at Ashley in awe.

Allison grinned. "Ash, you have a new fan."

"He's my good buddy," Ashley smiled at the little boy.

"Those crayons are pretty cool, Adam," Katie said.

"Can't wait," Adam said, eagerly eating the rest of his pudding.

Upstairs, things were not going as smoothly.

Ginny was playing the victim role and it seemed that only Molly was buying it.

"You lot never visit me in Sydney," Ginny chastised them. "Charlie, you would love it there. You really would."

"I don't think so," Charlie said coolly.

"What about you, Bill?" Ginny asked. "You and Phlegm---?"

"Fleur," Bill corrected tersely.

"If you can't even get her name right, why would you want her to come visit you?" Ron cut in.

"Come on," Ginny said. "I used to call her that when we were kids. You thought it was funny then."

"Not really," Ron replied.

"Ginevra is going to spend a couple of days here at home," Molly announced.

Ron barely managed to conceal his groan.

"You can stay as long as you need," Arthur said quietly.

Ginny's head lolled back. The coffee had sobered her up some, but her head was still spinning.

"You need your rest," Molly said. "You can catch up with everyone later."

"Of course," Ron said shortly.

They stepped outside while Molly helped Ginny.

"Dad, you're really going to let her stay here?" Charlie asked.

Arthur nodded. "No matter what---she's still my daughter, Charlie."

"She deserted us," George said uncharacteristically serious.

"She's still the same selfish cow she's always been," Ron commented. "She's playing mum like a fiddle."

"Ronald," Arthur said.

Ron sighed. "I'm going back downstairs."

"I'll go with you," Charlie said. Bill trailed behind them.

"What a Christmas," Ron grumbled.

"Let's not let her ruin it," Charlie told his brother. A loud whoosh from the fireplace made all three of them look over.

Ron groaned. "Merlin's beard. As if this holiday couldn't get any worse...Malfoy."

The blonde man sneered at them. "Where's my wife?" he demanded without greeting.

"Nice to see you too," Charlie muttered.

"Where's Ginny?" Malfoy demanded again.

"Hello, Father," Nick said from behind him.

"Nicholas," Draco said coldly. "I guess it's too much to expect the Weasleys to understand plain English, but where is your mother?"

"Upstairs," Nick said tersely. "But I don't think she wants to see you."

"Of course she does," Draco went to push past him.

Nick pushed him back. "You know I'm not a kid anymore."

"Get out of my way you pathetic ingrate," Draco sneered at him.

Nick laughed. "I should be grateful then? To whom? You?"

"Of course you should be," Draco snapped. "I provided a comfortable home for you until you decided to take off to marry that Mud--"

Nick punched him as hard as he could in the nose.

"You bastard," Draco wheezed.

"Good one, Daddy," Katie called out.

Nick grasped his hand- punching his father hurt quite a bit.

"Get out, Malfoy," Ron said glaring at him.

"I'm not leaving without what's mine," Draco said.

Ron rolled his eyes. "Get out."

"GINNY!" Draco bellowed. "GINNY!"

Ginny appeared at the top of the stairs. "Go away!"

"Ginny come on," Draco's mouth was tight. "We're going home."

"I'm not going anywhere with you!" Ginny shouted. "Go back to that tart you've been seeing!"

Saffron rolled her eyes and looked at her mother. "Dramatic, much?"

"You have no idea," Hermione said. She stepped forward between Draco and the stairwell. "Listen, you two need to keep it down and work it out and LEAVE. There are children here that don't need to be exposed to this nonsense."

"Go save an elf, Mudblood," Draco said dismissively.

"You don't talk to my wife that way," Harry said angrily. "Get the hell out of here."

"Thank you, Harry," Ginny said looking pitifully down at him. She knew that would drive Draco mad.

Harry shook his head. "Just get the hell out of here. Both of you. We're all trying to enjoy our holiday."

"I'm not leaving," Ginny said defiantly. "I'm staying here with people who love me."

None of her brothers would look her in the eye as she said this.

"I had an emergency surgery, Red," Draco said folding his arms. "What did you expect me to do?"

Ginny let out a choked sob.

"There's no one else for me," Draco said looking up at her.

Ginny's face softened and her lips trembled.

"Come here," Draco said opening up his arms.

Ginny took two steps to him but stopped, horrified when her husband suddenly sprouted feathers out of his ears.

Fred hid his smile.

"WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?" Draco roared, outraged.

"Us?" George asked innocently. "You're the one who has feathers coming out your ears and you're asking what's wrong with us?"

"How could you?" Ginny was suddenly defensive of her husband. "How could you do this to Draco?"

"Ten minutes ago you were calling him a selfish, egotistical bastard," Fred reminded her.

"I didn't mean it," Ginny said hastily. "Draco is my husband and you should treat him with respect!"

"Like he's always treated us?" Ron asked shaking his head. "You deserve each other."

"You have no loyalty, Ron." Ginny complained. "If you all had just accepted him--"

"We'd be one big happy family," Ron finished.

"Yeah right," Draco snorted.

"I accept you," Molly said. "I want you to be a part of our family."

"I'm sorry," Ron said. "But there's no way. You would never even accept us."

"Please," Molly pleaded. "We were just having pudding, Draco. Ginny, you both can join us."

"I don't think so," Draco said coldly.

"Your granddaughters are here," Molly said. "Ashley---Ashley's a very talented artist. Katie, she's---"

"In Slytherin," Katie announced proudly from the door.

"And what about you?" Draco asked settling his gaze on Ashley.

"Gryffindor," Ashley answered, raising her chin proudly.

Draco laughed. "Well, one out of two isn't bad. Do the Malfoy name proud, Katherine."

"I will but I'll do it for myself," Katie said.

Draco patted her on the shoulder.

Katie beamed proudly. Her grandparents accepted her but not Ashley!

He reached into his pocket and handed her a ring. "My great-grandfather gave this to me. Your father was too soft for it. But, I think you are worthy of having it, Katherine."

Nick pushed Draco's hand away. "Don't you give her anything that belonged to him."

"I want it, Daddy," Katie said reaching for it.

"No," Nick snapped.

Katie pouted. She could just imagine the looks on Jemima and Piper's faces when she showed up with that ring.

"If you won't let her have it now, I'll just send it to her at the school," Draco said, smirking.

"Get out," Nick said firmly. "Now."

"You shouldn't speak to your father that way," Ginny said. "He's only trying to be nice. First you complain we don't talk to your daughters then when he tries to give a gift you turn it away."

"What are their names, Mum?" Nick asked. "Hmm?"

"That one is Katherine," Ginny pointed.

"And?" Nick prompted.

Ginny paused a moment. "Ashley."

Ashley looked at her in surprise.

"See, I know them just fine," Ginny retorted.

"Stay, Grandmother," Katie said.

"We can't," Ginny told her.

"They're leaving," Nick said grabbing his father by the arm.

Katie watched in dismay as her grandparents went to the fireplace. Everyone had stopped to watch them.

Katie felt something in her pocket. She grinned when she realized it was the ring.

Draco crooked up the side of his mouth before he threw some Floo Powder into the fireplace.

"Happy Christmas," Ginny said linking arms with Draco.

Molly's eyes filled with tears. "Ginevra, you don't have to go."

Ginny stepped away from her husband for a moment. She gave her mother a hug. "I love you, Mum. But, I don't belong here."

"Of course you do," Molly insisted.

Ginny shook her head. "No, but--but I love you."

"I love you too," Molly sobbed.

"Take care of her," Ginny said to Ron.

"I always do," Ron said. "Not that you would know."

"Goodbye," Ginny said before turning her back and rejoining Draco.

Katie watched them go. For the first time in her life, she wished she knew her father's parents.

Molly wiped at her eyes.

Ron shook his head. He couldn't believe his sister had shown up like this just to break their mother's heart yet again.

"I'll get you some tea." Charlie said to his mother.

"Come and sit down with me," Luna said to Molly. She took her mother-in-law's hand and led her over to the sofa.

"I just don't understand," Molly sniffled. "I just miss my daughter so much..."

Nick sat down on the other side of his grandmother. He took her hand. "I'm sorry she did that, Nana."

"It's not your fault, Nick." Molly told him.

Nick felt like it was. He could wring his mother's neck for doing this to his grandmother, who was one of the sweetest, kindest, trusting people in the world.

Kiera toddled into the room and looked sweetly at her great-grandmother. "Nana, hold!"

Molly lifted her great granddaughter onto her lap. "Hello darling."

"Sad?" Kiera asked softly.

"Yes," Molly said. "But not with such a smart little girl on my lap."

Kiera put her little arms around Molly's neck.

Luna smiled at her granddaughter.

"Ginny used to sit in my lap like this when she was Kiera's age," Molly remembered. "I'd read to her and it was just the two of us..."

"And you did the same for Maddie," Luna said. "She always loved that so much."

"I bet Kiera would love for you to read to her," Nick said.

Kiera grinned at him.

"I'd like that," Molly said.

"We'll take care of the kitchen," Julie told her.

"Absolutely," Ashley agreed.

Julie put a hand on both her daughters' shoulders. "Come on girls. We can get this done in a flash."

Katie nodded and followed them back into the kitchen.

She discreetly stuck her hand in her pocket, feeling the ring her grandfather had managed to put in there.

Piper and Jemima would be green with envy when they saw this Malfoy heirloom.

"Come on, Katie," Ashley said. "Mum's right- this won't take us long."

Hermione and Fleur helped also. Fleur kept muttering something in French that Julie had a feeling were remarks about Ginny.

"Thank you Fleur," Hermione said as the blonde helped her stack some dishes in the cupboard.

"Poor Molly," Fleur said softly.

"I don't understand it," Hermione said. "I'd give just about anything to still have my mother around."

"Truth be told, I never liked Ginevra," Fleur commented, keeping her voice down so the younger girls couldn't hear.

"She tried to frame Harry for theft at one point," Hermione said. "I never liked her at all either."

"Hard to believe she came from this family," Fleur commented.

"I know," Hermione agreed. "Everyone else is so wonderful."

Ashley was drying off the dishes and handing them to Katie to put away. Or at least that was the plan, Ashley thought. She waved a dish in front of her sister's face. "Hello? Come on, Katie. Pay attention."

"What?" Katie asked irritably.

"Where's your mind tonight?" Ashley asked her.

"No where," Katie retorted.

"I just hope Nana's okay," Ashley said motioning to the sitting room. "That was a terrible thing that our grandmother did to her.'

"She wants to be with her husband," Katie shrugged. "I feel bad for Nana but still..."

"They're just as horrible as everyone always said they were," Ashley said.

Katie didn't say anything. She recalled the look on her grandfather's face when he heard her say she was in Slytherin. No one except him had been proud of her being in Slytherin.

"I'm never sending them anything else," Ashley said firmly.

Katie wanted to say she was sure they didn't care, but held her tongue. "You can send all that stuff to Nana then. You know how much she likes it."

"Or Grandma and Grandpa," Ashley said handing Katie another dish.

"Right," Katie replied. "It's nice artwork, Ash. I can see why that University in France wants you to come there."

Ashley smiled at her sister. "Thanks, Katie."

Katie smiled back. She had to admit she liked it when she and Ashley weren't fighting all the time.

"You promise to visit me there even if it is just to shop?" Ashley asked her.

"Of course," Katie said. "ESPECIALLY if there's shopping involved. Paris is my favourite place for that."

Ashley smiled. Her mother had mentioned taking Katie there again during the summer hols for a shopping trip if Katie's marks were still high. "We'll have lots of fun."

"I'll go to all the high fashion stores," Katie said. "And one of the best designers will want me to model for them."

"Remember me when you're rich and famous," Ashley nudged her.

"You too," Katie nudged her back.

"You girls make a great team," Julie said coming over to them.

"Thanks," Katie glowed.

"Happy Christmas," Julie said smiling at them. "I love you both so much and I just hope we are always as close as we are now."

"We have to stay this close," Ashley nodded in agreement.

"We will," Katie said.

They all finished cleaning up the kitchen and joined everyone in the sitting room. Katie reached again into her pocket and felt the ring.

"What are you doing?" Caroline asked.

"Nothing," Katie said. "My... my hand was cold."

"Oh," Caroline said. "Come on then...you said you wanted to plait my hair, remember?"

"Sure," Katie replied. "It's gotten longer, Caroline."

"I want it to be as long as yours," Caroline said smiling at her.

Katie twisted her hair around her finger. "I guess. I don't know if I'm going to keep it like this or not."

"What do you want to do to it?" Caroline asked curiously.

"I don't know," Katie shrugged. "Maybe some highlights, and cut it. Jemima and I were talking about it before I came home."

"But your hair is so pretty," Caroline protested.

"I can make it grow back if I don't like it," Katie responded.

Caroline sat down on the floor while Katie grabbed her hairbrush and begin brushing her hair. The two girls sat in companionable silence.

In the corner of the room, Darla handed Liam another mug of hot apple cider. "Never a dull moment around my family," Darla said dryly.

"That's okay," he replied. "Thanks."

Darla didn't want to bring up what had almost happened outside. It was not something she was ready to deal with just yet.

"We'll have to go for a long run tomorrow to burn off all these calories we consumed," Darla joked instead.

"You weren't kidding when you said to come hungry," Liam replied.

"I told you," Darla said. "Nana does it every year and you just wait, she'll send some home with you, as well."

"That'll be great," he said. "I don't have enough decent food at my place."

"That icebox of yours," Darla laughed and shook her head. "Butterbeer and an old block of cheese."

"No butterbeer," Liam joked. "Just the cheese now."

Darla laughed again. "Liam, what are we going to do with you?"

"Cook for me," he teased.

"I can certainly do that when you're not working," Darla said. "Rafe and I would love to have you over."

"I'll keep that in mind," Liam said.

Darla smiled. "After all you've done for me; it's the least I can do."

"I haven't done that much," he said.

"Next to Drew, you're my best friend," Darla said sincerely.

"We have become pretty close," he agreed.

Darla nodded. "Who would have thought it, eh?"

Liam grinned at her.

"Are you having a good time?" Darla asked.

"Aside from earlier, yes," Liam said. "I'm glad I came today."

"Me too," Darla said softly.

"Have you thought about New Year's yet?" he asked.

Darla nodded. "Yes. I think we'd have a good time at the Ministry ball."

"I'm pretty sure I have the evening off," he said. "The new healer Liz and I took on is on call."

"So it's a date," Darla said with a grin. When she realised what she'd said, she blushed. "I mean---"

"Right," he said hastily.

Darla looked over at her parents. Her mother was whispering something in her father's ear. Her father turned to Luna and laughed. They'd been together for so many years and they were still as close and in love as they'd always been. That was what Darla wanted.

"I'm actually on call tonight," Liam said. "So I should probably get going soon."

"Oh," Darla said trying to hide her disappointment.

"I sort of offered awhile back," Liam said. "I'm sorry."

"I understand," Darla said. "I'm just really glad you came tonight."

"I am too," he agreed. "I had a nice time with your family."

Darla led him over to where her grandparents and Ron and Luna were sitting. "Liam's going now. He's on call tonight," Darla told them.

"Thank you so much for having me, Mrs. Weasley," Liam said.

"You're welcome anytime," Luna told him. "Thank you for joining us."

"Wait," Molly said standing up. "You must take some food with you..."

Liam opened his mouth to protest, but Molly pushed past him and hurried into the kitchen.

Darla nudged Liam. "I told you."

"Well I'm glad to have it," Liam said.

"She lives for this," Darla said. "Right, Dad?"

"You better believe it," Ron said. "But I better make sure she doesn't give you everything..." he got up and hurried into the kitchen.

Darla laughed. "Dad has to protect his leftovers."

"Ronald," Luna went into the kitchen. "Honestly--"

"Mum, that's the other half of the cake!" Ron protested when Molly set the cake in a basket. "He can't eat all that!"

"Ronald I have another just for you," Molly said in exasperation.

"Oh," Ron said calming down.

"See," Luna nudged him.

Ron nodded. "Sorry, Mum.'

"He's our guest," Molly said.

"Yes, he is," Luna said. "And he's Darla's friend."

"She's smiling again," Ron said.

"She deserves to be happy," Luna said softly.

"Yes she does," Molly finished Liam's basket.

"Are you okay, Mum?" Ron asked.

Molly didn't answer at first. "I'm fine." she said finally.

Ron gave her a hug. "I'm sorry."

"It's not your fault Ronald," Molly said. "I just wanted her to stay..."

"I know you did," Ron said quietly. "And I know she loves you but she has a funny way of showing it sometimes."

"Yes well..." Molly said. "I should get this out to Liam before he leaves."

"Right," Ron nodded.

"She's really upset," Luna said. "More than any of us know."

"It's like she doesn't remember any of the bad stuff Ginny's done," Ron said thoughtfully.

"Part of me wishes she could have seen what Ginny was like when we were at Hillsdale," Luna said. "But that really would have broken her heart."

"More than it already is," Ron said putting his arms around his wife.

"I say we have them over for dinner this week," Luna said. "Keep her mind off it. I'll have my dad there too."

"Why do you always know the right thing to do?" Ron asked with a grin.

"It comes naturally," Luna said.

Ron gave her a kiss.

"Come on," Luna said. "Let's get back to our kids."

"And grandchildren," Ron said. "Like the little redhead hiding behind the counter who thinks that I didn't see her sneak in here for a piece of cake..."

Emma stood up. "Grandpa!"

"Caught you," Ron grinned at her.

"I thought I was quiet," Emma frowned.

"You were," Luna reassured her. "But you know how your Grandpa is."

"Especially when it comes to my cake," Ron said.

"My cake," Emma protested.

"How about 'our' cake," Luna picked her granddaughter up and sat her on the counter.

"Okay," Emma agreed.

"Hey now," Ron joked. "I never agreed to that."

Emma gave him her best 'Maddie' look.

"She's good," Luna began laughing.

Ron tickled Emma's side. "Yes, she is."

Emma giggled. "Grandpa! Stop!"

Ron picked her up and carried her into the sitting room. "I caught a little thief, Jon..."

"I didn't take anything," Emma said.

"Because I stopped her," Ron said spinning her around.

"I was going to share," Emma said innocently.

"We'll put her in the kitchen jail, then, shall we?" Ron asked.

"What's that?" Emma asked, a worried expression crossing her face.

"Kitchen jail?" George asked shuddering. "Ron---you wouldn't do that to the poor girl, would you?"

"Perhaps," Ron said, keeping a straight face.

"Yeah!" Adam chimed in.

Emma cast an angry look at her brother.

"I spent most of my sixth year in kitchen jail," Charlie remembered. "Poor little Emma..."

Emma's face grew pale and her eyes filled with tears.

Ron took pity on his granddaughter. "Hey---we're only joking, sweetheart. There's no kitchen jail."

"There's not?" Emma asked in a trembly voice.

"If there was, I'd never have gotten out," Ron said hugging her tightly. "I'm sorry for scaring you."

"It's okay," Emma sniffled.

"Bad Grandpa jail," Maddie said.

"Bad Em jail," Adam echoed.

"Adam," Emma glared at him.

"Adam that wasn't nice," Allison said. "Apologise to your sister."

"Sorry, Em," Adam said waving at her.

"It's okay Adam," Emma relented.

Adam yawned. "No jail."

"For any of us," Ron kissed Emma's cheek. "But I do think that my little partner in crime here deserves an extra large piece of cake."

Emma hugged her grandfather. "I love you, Grandpa, but you scared me."

"I'm sorry, sweetheart," Ron told her.

"It's okay," Emma said softly.

"Let's go get that cake," Ron told her. "Before everyone else does."

Emma smiled. "'Kay."

Allison got up. "I better go supervise or Emma will have three quarters of the cake eaten."

Adam momentarily forgot about his colouring with Ashley and toddled over to his mother. "Want cake, too."

"Just a little bit," Allison told him.

Caroline laughed. "Mummy, do you need help?"

"Sure, sweetheart," Allison said.

Chloe was sleeping in Drew's arms and Darla gingerly sat down beside her sister.

"Liam left?" Drew asked.

"He was on call," Darla nodded.

"You two looked really cosy earlier," Drew commented.

"We were just talking," Darla said.

"I wasn't implying anything," Drew reassured her.

"I know," Darla said.

"Did you ask him about New Years?" Drew asked.

"I think he's going to come with me," Darla said. "I don't know what I'm going to do with Rafe yet. I do hate spending the evening away from him..."

"I was the same with Chloe," Drew said looking down at her sleeping daughter.

Darla smiled at her niece. "I can't believe how big she's gotten."

"You can't?" Drew laughed. "I can't."

"What is she, three?" Darla asked. "I remember the day she was born."

"Me too," Drew said softly.

Darla tucked a lock of red hair behind Chloe's little ear. "I can't wait to see her as the flower girl in Saffron's wedding."

"She's excited," Drew said.

"She loves Saffy so much," Darla looked at the brunette who was holding her own daughter on the other side of the room.

"Sassy," Drew grinned.

"Where?" Chloe asked sleepily.

"Hiya, Sleepyhead," Drew said affectionately.

"Sassy?" Chloe asked her.

"Over there," Drew motioned.

Chloe pushed herself off Drew's lap and rubbed at her eyes as she headed for Saffron.

Saffron smiled. "Chloe!"

"Hi Ellie," Chloe said to the infant, who gazed up at her.

"How was your kip?" Saffron asked her.

"Good," Chloe said. "I had a dream."

"What about?" Saffron asked her.

Chloe blushed and pointed to Andrew. "He was a prince."

Saffron grinned. "He is a prince."

Chloe giggled.

"What were you in the dream?" Saffron asked her.

"Rapunzel," Chloe told her. "My hair was this long." she held her arms out wide.

"That long?" Saffron asked. "Wow...."

"And he rode a dragon," Chloe said. "Saved me."

"And did you let down your hair?" Saffron teased, causing Chloe to giggle.

"All the way," Chloe nodded.

"Princess Chloe," Saffron grinned.

"I like that," Chloe twirled around.

"You know, you'll have to come by and see me again some time and we can make biscuits," Saffron said to her.

"Can I play with Ellie?" Chloe asked.

"She's ready to go to sleep," Saffron told her. "But, you know what I'm sure she'd like? What if you told her a bedtime story?"

"I know lots of stories!" Chloe brightened.

"Well," Saffron said, moving over so Chloe could sit down. "You have a captive audience in Ellie."

"I love her," Chloe touched the infant's soft cheek.

"She loves you too," Saffron said smiling at Chloe. "Just as much as I do."

"You're my favourite," Chloe said.

Saffron beamed at her. "Thanks, Chloe."

Chloe grinned at her. "Time for a story."

"Ellie's ready," Saffron said.

"Once up a time," Chloe began. "A princess was in a tower. Big dragon would watch her..."

Ellie cooed.

"She likes it!" Chloe exclaimed.

"She does," Saffron agreed.

Chloe kept going with her story. Saffron could tell the little girl was just saying whatever was popping into her head, but Ellie seemed to like it very much.

Andrew came up behind them. "Hiya, Chloe."

Chloe blushed. "Hi Andrew."

Andrew mussed the little girl's hair. "What are you three up to?"

"Telling Ellie a story," Chloe told him.

"El loves stories," Andrew said looking fondly at his daughter.

"Guess what," Chloe said.

"What?" Andrew asked.

"You were a prince," Chloe told him, giggling.

"In your story?" Andrew asked.

"My dream," Chloe said.

"Don't let it go to your head," Saffron said to Andrew.

"Funny, Saf." Andrew said.

"You rescued me," Chloe said. "Big dragon."

Andrew puffed out his chest. "Really..."

"Very handsome," Chloe said, still giggling.

"He is, isn't he?" Saffron grinned.

"I think I like sitting over here," Andrew joked.

Chloe giggled again. Brian called her over to him and she reluctantly left.

"I think she has a crush," Saffron said to Andrew.

"Nah," Andrew said.

"I think someone wants her Daddy," Saffron said handing Ellie to Andrew.

"I'll take her anytime," Andrew said.

"She survived her first Christmas at the Burrow," Saffron said.

"And at my parents' house," Andrew added.

Saffron laughed. "Your mum and dad were so cute with her."

"Everyone's just taken in," Andrew made a goofy face at the infant.

Ellie let out a yawn.

"Let's go put her down upstairs," Saffron said. "It's time for her kip."

Andrew nodded and stood up with the baby.

Maddie came into the room with Gwyn. The newborn had just woken up and had been hungry.

"How is she?" Ethan asked.

"Very happy and full now," Maddie sat down.

Ethan laughed. "Well Kiera's sleeping on the other sofa."

"She's had a very big day," Maddie replied.

Ethan put his arm around his wife and together they looked down at their youngest daughter. "So has Gwyn."

Maddie smiled at the baby. "She's perfect isn’t' she?"

"She looks just like her mum," Ethan said.

"There's some of you in there," Maddie said. "That mouth and that nose, for instance."

Ethan laughed. "Hers are much cuter."

Maddie grinned. "I'm inclined to agree."

"Can I get you anything?" Ethan offered

"I'm okay right now," Maddie said. "But in a little while, I'll have some dessert."

"Just let me know when you're ready," Ethan said.

"I will," Maddie said as Kiera's eyes blinked open.

"Dad-dy," Kiera said sleepily.

"Hi baby," Ethan said.

"Buh?" Kiera asked, sitting up and rubbing her eyes.

"Not right now," Ethan told her.

Kiera's lower lip trembled.

"Kiera Faith," Ethan said. "You'll see Blue when we get home."

"Come and look at your little sister," Maddie said to Kiera. "She's awake."

"Baby?" Kiera asked as Ethan brought her over.

Maddie nodded.

"Hi," Kiera said, looking down at Gwyn.

Gwyn smacked her lips.

Kiera fixed her eyes on her sister's.

"What's she doing?" Ethan whispered to Maddie.

"Communicating," Maddie said.

"Wow," Ethan marvelled.

"You can always tell when she really wants to talk to you," Maddie said. "And it isn't like words. It's more like... sensations. Colours... things like that."

A smile played at Kiera's lips, but her gaze never left her sister's face.

"What are you talking about, baby girl?" Ethan asked his daughter.

"Hap-py," Kiera replied.

"You're happy?" Ethan tickled her side.

Kiera giggled. "Baby, too."

"I'm glad to hear that," Maddie said with a grin.

Kiera climbed into Ethan's lap and gave him a hug.

Ethan hugged her tightly. "I love you baby girl."

Kiera smiled. "Love, Daddy."

Ethan kissed her cheek. "How about you go with me to get your mummy some cake?"

Kiera nodded.

Ethan picked her up and set her on his shoulders.

Kiera giggled. "Go!"

"Make it a big piece," Maddie called.

"Of course," Ethan called back.

"Big," Kiera echoed.

"Big piece for your mum," Ethan said.

Ethan came in just as Allison was cutting the last half. "Save a slice for Maddie," he called.

"Oh," Allison nodded. "Sure."

"Aunt Mad always gets a piece," Emma said loyally.

"And my piece," Ethan joked. He laughed as Emma took a big bite of her piece of cake.

"I'm on my third piece," she said.

"Oh to have her metabolism," Allison mused.

"You do," Emma piped up.

Allison handed Ethan a plate. "I wish I did, Emma."

"But you're still pretty," Emma replied.

Allison grinned. "Thank you, baby."

"Loyal till the end," Ethan said with a grin.

"Pretty," Adam agreed before taking a bite of his cake.

Allison smiled. "Thank you both."

Kiera looked at Allison with a strange look on her face. "What is it love? Do you want some cake, too?"

Kiera reached out her hand and pointed at Allison's stomach.

Ethan nearly dropped his plate. "Um..."

"Baby," Kiera said softly.

298. Chapter 298 And Baby Makes...

Authors’ note: Christmas continues in this chapter! Enjoy! And to our fellow Americans, Happy 4th of July!

"Baby," Kiera said softly.

Allison's face went white.

Jon came into the kitchen with Caroline. "Ethan, Maddie was wondering where her cake was..."

"Baby!" Kiera said again, pointing at Allison.

Ethan picked up Kiera. "Sweetheart---"

"Baby, Daddy!" Kiera squirmed.

"What is going on?" Jon asked.

Ethan picked up Kiera. "We'll get your mum's cake in a minute. Come on..."

"Jon," Allison said. "I had no idea. None at all. Ethan brought her in here for cake and she just pointed at me and said baby..."

"Are you having another baby, Mummy?" Caroline asked excitedly.

"We don’t' know that she is," Jon said quickly.

"Kiera's never wrong!" Caroline exclaimed.

"There's a first time for everything," Jon said.

"Baby," Emma said happily.

"More Adam," Adam said.

Jon laughed. "Merlin help us."

Allison sat down. "I can't be pregnant again."

"You might not be," Jon said sitting down beside her. "Like I said, Kiera can be wrong."

"I just hope so," Allison said quietly.

Jon put his arm around her.

Allison just shook her head.

"Whatever it is, it'll be okay," Jon reassured her.

"I hope so," Allison felt sick to her stomach. She loved her three children but didn't know if she could handle another one.

"Let's go home," Jon said after a moment.

"It's early and the kids are having fun with their cousins," Allison said.

"Are you sure?" Jon asked her.

"I'll be fine," Allison replied.

Jon gave her a kiss. "I love you."

"I love you too," Allison said quietly.

Jon squeezed her hand. "Come on, Caroline. We'll take that slice of cake to your Aunt Maddie."

"Okay," Caroline agreed, taking the plate.

Jon turned to look at his wife.

"I'll cut the rest of this," Allison said.

"Cake, Mummy," Adam said happily.

"Just another small piece," Allison murmured.

"Eat too," Adam said to her.

"I'm okay," Allison said.

Emma looked at her mother. "Mummy?"

"What is it, love?" Allison asked.

"Why are you sad?" Emma asked.

"I'm not," Allison denied.

"Yes, you are," Emma argued.

"Everything's okay, Em." Allison said.

Emma smiled. "I love you."

"I love you too, sweetheart," Allison kissed the top of her daughter's head and suddenly felt better.

Emma smiled as Allison picked up a napkin and wiped her mouth. "I made a mess, didn't I?" Emma asked.

"It's all right," Allison said affectionately.

Emma giggled. "I didn't do bad as Adam."

Allison looked at her son and laughed. "You are a mess, Adam Jonathan."

"You have icing in your hair," Emma laughed.

Adam reached up to touch it.

Allison stopped him just in time. "Let's not make it worse." She picked him up and carried him over to the faucet.

"No wash!" Adam complained.

'Do you want to be sticky and messy?" Allison asked.

"Yes," Adam said mischievously.

"You're just like your Daddy," Allison said tweaking Adam's nose.

"I know," Adam said.

"Are we having a brother or sister, Mummy?" Emma asked.

"I don't know," Allison said.

"Maybe they'll have dark hair like you and Sissy," Emma said thoughtfully.

"Maybe," Allison said.

"Or red hair like Adam and me and Daddy," Emma said. She picked up a towel and start dancing around the kitchen.

"Me too," Adam wiggled.

"Let me clean you up first," Allison said.

Adam frowned.

"...part of your world," Emma sang.

"Ariel," Allison said. "Try not to run into the chairs."

"Adam, you can be Sebastian," Emma told her brother.

"No," Adam shook his head.

"Yes," Emma said. "You have to."

Allison finished cleaning up her son and set him down. "Maybe he could be Flounder, Em."

"No," Adam shook his head.

Emma stopped dancing. "What do you want to be?"

"Eric," Adam said.

Allison smiled. "The prince."

"You can't," Emma said. "Gabriel is Eric."

"He not here," Adam pointed out.

"So?" Emma asked. "You can't be my husband."

Adam's nose scrunched up. "Ash---Ash be Ariel."

"Adam has a crush on Ashley!" Emma sang.

Allison shook her head. "Emma Madeline, Shhhh."

"But it's true," Emma said.

"Like your crush on Gabe?" Allison reminded her.

"Everyone knows that," Emma replied unabashedly.

Adam looked up at his mother. "Em mean, Mummy."

"Emma, be nice," Allison said. "Don't tease your brother."

Emma looked at Adam. "Okay."

"All right," Allison said. "Why don't you go find Ashley and draw a picture with her?"

Adam grinned. "Kay."

"He loves her," Emma mumbled under her breath.

Allison looked at Emma. "Emma..."

"Sorry," Emma offered.

"Better," Allison said.

Emma scampered out of the room as well.

Allison shook her head and laughed.

She cleaned up the kitchen and joined the rest of her family in the sitting room. She gazed a bit apprehensively at her husband who was sitting with Ethan and Maddie.

"Alright?" Jon asked.

"Sure," Allison replied.

Allison scanned the room and saw Caroline, Kiera and Katie playing with the triplets. Adam was drawing with Ashley and Emma was dancing in the corner by herself.

"Allie," Maddie said. "I don't know what Kiera saw..."

"I'll take a test," Allison said. "To know for sure."

"If you are, we'll deal with it," Jon squeezed her hand.

Allison nodded and rested her head on his shoulder.

"Watch and you'll see," Emma sang. "Someday I'll be..."

"...part of your world," Casey finished.

Emma grinned at her. "You sing good, Case."

Casey beamed at her. "Thanks, Em."

"How is the princess club doing?" Katie asked Emma.

"Brilliant," Emma replied. "Fabulous."

Katie laughed. "I'm glad to hear that."

"She and Hannah are doing really well as the leaders," Caroline told Katie.

"Of course," Katie said. "We trained them well."

"It seems like ages since we did it," Caroline said wistfully.

"But we're just too old for it now," Katie replied.

"Yeah," Caroline said. "But, it was still great because it was you and me."

"Well once you come to Hogwarts, we can do other stuff," Katie said.

Caroline smiled. "It will be great having you there to show me around, Katie."

"Especially if you get in Slytherin." Katie said.

Caroline did not think she would ever make it into Slytherin and from what she'd heard, she wasn't sure she wanted to. But, she didn't tell Katie this. "Yeah," Caroline said instead.

"You'll try?" Katie asked.

"How would I try to get in there?" Caroline asked curiously.

"Just try to act more like me," Katie told her.

"It's going to be hard," Caroline commented. "Katie, everyone in my family's always been Gryffindor."

"So has mine," Katie said. "Well... my mum and Ashley..."

"Your other Grandfather was in Slytherin," Caroline said. "He was kind of scary."

"He can't be all bad," Katie said.

"He said some horrible things about your parents and your Grandma Hermione," Caroline argued.

"But he was mad at them," Katie said, feeling the ring in her pocket. She couldn't wait to pull it out and look at it properly.

Caroline couldn't believe Katie was actually defending that man.

"Maybe no one's ever given him a chance," Katie replied.

"He called your grandmother a bad name," Caroline said.

"You're so sensitive," Katie said.

Caroline stood up. "I'm going to go and check on my brother."

"He's colouring with Ash," Katie said.

"I know," Caroline said over her shoulder.

Katie watched Caroline cross the room and sighed.

She was about to take the ring out of her pocket when someone tapped her on the shoulder. She looked u to see her father. "Daddy, you scared me."

"What are you up to?" Nick asked.

"Nothing," Katie replied.

"How come you're sitting all by yourself?" Nick sat down next to her.

"Caroline's gone to check on Adam," Katie said. "What are you doing, Daddy?"

"Nothing much," Nick replied. "Waiting for Molly to bring out the leftovers..."

Katie smiled. "Where's Mum?"

"Apparently Kiera thinks Allison is pregnant, so she's over there talking about that," Nick said.

"She is?" Katie asked.

"We don't know for sure," Nick replied.

Katie wondered if that was what was truly bothering Caroline.

"Are you happy with all your presents?" Nick asked.

Katie nodded. "Thanks, Daddy."

Nick smiled at her. "We're proud of how well you're doing in school."

Katie grinned back at him. "I've worked really hard."

"And you and Ashley have been getting along," Nick said.

"I like it when we don't fight," Katie admitted.

"Us too," Nick grinned.

"And I really like being in Slytherin," Katie said. "I'm trying to convince Caroline to be more like me so she can get in there, too."

"Sweetheart I don't think the hat works that way," Nick said. "It reads what's inside a person, not what they're thinking."

"You didn't go there, Daddy," Katie said with a sigh.

"I've heard stories from your mum," Nick said.

"Well, she can still try," Katie said stubbornly.

"Sure she can," Nick said. "But don't be disappointed if she doesn't wind up there."

"We'll still be best friends no matter what," Katie told him.

"I'm glad to hear that," Nick smoothed her hair back.

"Daddy," Katie began. "Can I put green streaks in my hair?"

"I beg your pardon?" Nick asked.

"Streaks," Katie said. "Green will match my school robes."

"I--uh," Nick stammered. "You should ask your mum."

"But if she says yes," Katie said hopefully. "I want to do something different..."

"If she says yes, okay," Nick said. "But, you know what? I think you look beautiful just the way you are."

"I want to look older," Katie said.

"Older?" Nick asked. "Sweetheart---"

"Just a little bit," Katie said. "I still look like I'm in primary school."

"No, you don't," Nick tried to reassure her. "You're a beautiful eleven year old young woman."

Katie half smiled. "You have to say that. You're my dad."

"I'd say that even if you weren't my daughter," Nick said. He waved for Julie.

Katie held her breath. She really hoped Julie would agree to let her change her hair. She badly wanted to impress her friends back at school.

"What's going on?" Julie asked.

"Daddy says if you say yes, I can change my hair," Katie said.

Julie raised an eyebrow. "Change your hair how?"

"Well... I really want to put streaks in," Katie hedged.

"Your hair is lovely as it is," Julie said smoothing Katie's hair. "You're beautiful, baby."

"It's so boring," Katie pouted. "It's always been this long and plain old brown. I hate it."

"It's lovely," Julie argued. "Katie---"

"What's going on?" Ashley asked coming over to join them.

"Mum and Dad won't let me change anything about myself," Katie said, angry tears welling up in her eyes.

Nick sighed.

"What is it you want to do, Katie?" Ashley asked.

"Just do some cool green streaks to match my robes," Katie said. "And maybe cut it to here," she indicated her shoulders. "I just hate looking the same ALL the time."

"Maybe it wouldn't be too drastic," Nick said to Julie.

Katie was heartened by this. "I think it would look really good. Please?"

Julie looked thoughtfully at Nick.

"Jules, I think it would be okay," Nick said. "She's not asking to dye it entirely green. A few streaks wouldn't look bad. She can even go to my stylist..."

Katie grinned. "Daddy, really? Zoë is soooooooooo cool!"

Nick smiled at her. "I'll ring her tomorrow morning."

Katie threw her arms around her father. "You are the best daddy ever!"

"If it looks tacky, it's back to brown," Julie said. "But I guess we'll see how things go."

"Thanks, Mummy," Katie said. She could already envision Piper and Jemima's faces when they saw her new look. "It won't look tacky."

"What about you?" Julie asked Ashley. "Anything you'd like to change?"

Ashley grinned. "No, no red streaks for me, Mum."

Julie smiled. "That's all right, then."

"But I think it will look cool on you, Katie," Ashley said thoughtfully.

"Thanks," Katie said happily. "I'm so excited!"

Julie hugged her daughter. "I still think you're beautiful as you are."

"Yeah but you're my mum," Katie said. "You'd say that no matter what."

Julie laughed. "I'm completely unbiased."

"I'm sure Zoë will fit you in tomorrow if you can make time in your busy schedule," Nick teased his youngest daughter.

Katie giggled. "I can."

Ashley wondered if Katie really wanted to do this or if it was something else that Jemima wanted.

Katie hurried off to tell Caroline.

"Alright, Ashley?" Nick asked.

Ashley nodded. "Why?"

"You looked deep in thought," Nick said. "But, you always look like that."

"I don't mean to," Ashley said.

Nick put his arm around her. "You don't have to apologise. You're our little thinker."

"I've been having fun drawing with Adam," Ashley said. "He's so cute."

"He seems to be having a great time too," Julie commented.

"We're all having fun," Ashley said. "Thank you so much for my new pencils and my other drawing stuff."

"Of course," Julie said. "We're glad you like them, Ashley."

"They're going to be so good when I go to draw the castle," Ashley said. "For shading."

"Speaking of the castle," Julie said reaching for her mobile phone. "How would you like to ring your friends?"

"That would be great," Ashley brightened.

Julie smiled. "You can go upstairs for some quiet."

"I won't be long," Ashley promised.

Ashley hurried upstairs and into Uncle Ron's old room. She closed the door behind her and sat down on the old bed.

She dialled Zander's home number. She knew Brittany would also be there that day.

"Hello?" Zander said when he picked up the phone.

"Happy Christmas!" Ashley exclaimed.

"Back at you Malfoy," Zander said with a laugh.

"How's your day going?" Ashley asked.

"Great," Zander replied. He told her some of the things he'd received. "How about yours?"

"More drawing stuff like always," Ashley said. "My parents got me these great shading pencils."

"That's great," Zander replied. "Speaking of which, thanks for the drawing of me that you sent. That one of me on my broom for my first match? It was fantastic. My mother can't stop talking about it."

"I'm really glad she liked it," Ashley said.

"I miss you," Zander said.

"I miss you guys too," Ashley said. "But we're going to have a party on New Year's Eve right?"

"Absolutely," Zander said. "No slumber party this time..."

Ashley smiled as she thought about what had happened at that party.

"If we did that again, I imagine you and Brit would paint my nails or make me wear mud..."

"So not true," Ashley laughed.

"It'll be fun," Zander hesitated a moment. "I invited Celia."

"That's fine," Ashley reassured him. "She's your---well, she's your---"

"We're not really boyfriend and girlfriend," Zander said. "But I like her."

"That's great," Ashley said. "Um, how's Brit?"

"She's fine," Zander said. "Got an owl from Evan today so she's on cloud nine."

Ashley laughed. "You're not teasing her, are you?"

"Maybe just a bit," he said.

"A lot," Ashley corrected.

"She's been bugging me too about Celia," Zander said in defence.

"Brit giving you a hard time?" Ashley asked. "I can't believe it."

"You know us too well," Zander said dryly.

"Fighting to you both is like breathing," Ashley laughed.

"Just like you and Katie," Zander joked.

"For your information, Mr. Murray, Katie and I are getting along," Ashley said.

"Wait, let me clean out my ears," Zander said. "You two are WHAT?"

"Getting along," Ashley said. "We can do that, you know."

"Well I'm sure your parents are happy about that," Zander replied.

"They are," Ashley said. She told him about her grandparents' surprise arrival.

"They sound horrible, Ash," Zander said. "But, don't take what they said to heart. They're too into themselves."

"I'm not," Ashley said. "I won't waste my time anymore."

"You're better off," Zander said to her.

"Probably," Ashley agreed.

"Brit wants to speak to you," Zander said. "Happy Christmas, Ash!"

"You too," Ashley said. "I'll ring you again tomorrow."

"Ashley!" Brittany exclaimed.

"Happy Christmas," Ashley said, happy to hear her friend's voice.

"How are things at the Burrow?" Brittany asked. "Is Andrew there? Oh, Merlin, I bet he looks good. Oh, did you get a lot of good stuff? I did, especially from Evan, but I'm going to have to change the colour of the jumper. Orange doesn't really suit me."

Ashley laughed. "Brit, take a breath."

"Sorry," Brittany said. "But he sent me the cutest letter today..."

"What did it say?" Ashley asked.

"Just that he missed me and can't wait to see me on New Year's Eve," Brittany said coyly.

Ashley smiled. "Your romantic reunion..."

"Oh yes," Brittany said dramatically. "And..."

Ashley laughed. "No details, Brit."

"No it's a good thing," Brittany insisted. "He wants to bring his cousin James to meet you on New Year's Eve."

"James?" Ashley asked.

"Yeah," Brittany said. "He really wants to meet you."

"Brit, I don't want a boyfriend," Ashley protested.

"He doesn't have to be," Brittany insisted.

"So you're not trying to match make?" Ashley asked.

Brittany was silent.

Ashley laughed. "Brit..."

"I just think you should meet him," Brittany said.

"Okay," Ashley said.

"Good!" Brittany said happily. "We're all going to have so much fun."

"I think so too," Ashley said. "I can't wait to see you guys."

"We've missed you," Brittany told her.

"I've missed you," Ashley said. "I'll ring you tomorrow. I promise."

"Okay," Brittany agreed. "Tell Katie I said hello and Happy Christmas."

"I will," Ashley promised. "And um...she'll look a little different next time you see her."

"Why?" Brittany asked curiously.

"You'll just have to see," Ashley said.

"Now you've got me wondering," Brittany said.

"She wants to surprise everyone," Ashley explained.

"Okay," Brittany said. "I'll have to drop by later this week."

"Great," Ashley said. "And be nice to Zander, Brit."

"Only if he's nice to me," Brittany said. "Bye, Ash."

Ashley laughed. "Bye, Brit."

She went back downstairs and gave the phone back to her father. "Thanks, Dad."

"How are they?" Nick asked.

"Good," Ashley said. "Having a nice Christmas."

Nick mussed his daughter's hair. "I saved you a piece of cake."

"Thanks," Ashley said. "I'm hungry."

"I had to sneak it away from Uncle Ron," Nick told her.

"I guess I better eat it fast then," Ashley said.

Ashley looked over at her father. "It must have been strange, huh? To see your parents after all this time, I mean."

Nick shrugged. "They stopped being parents a very long time ago, Ash."

"I'm glad that you had Greta," Ashley said.

"Me too," Nick told her, mussing her hair.

"Dad?" Ashley asked. "Was there anything good about them?"

"Not that I can recall," Nick replied. "Ever since I was a kid, they were barely around... and only when I didn't want them anymore did they want me."

Ashley nodded. "They missed out, Dad."

"Especially on the two best granddaughters," Nick said, looking affectionately at his oldest daughter.

Ashley smiled. "Thanks, Dad."

"Ash," Adam came over to her. "Go draw."

Ashley picked him up. "Did you finish your last picture?"

"Yes," Adam said. "For you."

Ashley grinned and gave him a hug. "Thanks, Adam."

Adam grinned at her. "Come see."

Ashley carried him back over to the coffee table. She set him down and the little redhead proudly picked up his picture and handed it to her. "See?"

"Oh that's wonderful, Adam," Ashley said. "You're very, very good at drawing."

Adam beamed at her.

Ashley gave him a kiss on the cheek. "I'll put this on my wall at home."

Adam clapped his little hands.

"We can draw another picture together," Ashley said, sitting down next to him. "What should it be of?"

Adam thought for a moment. "Maxi?"

"Okay," Ashley agreed. "How about I draw him and you can colour him in."

Adam nodded. "Kay."

Ashley smiled at him and began to sketch a picture of Max.

"Our son has it bad," Jon whispered to Allison.

"Ashley's sweet to indulge him," Allison said.

"She is," Jon agreed. "We'll hear about this for awhile from him."

Allison smiled as Adam gestured excitedly to the picture Ashley was drawing.

"Maxi, Mummy!" Adam exclaimed.

Allison nodded. "It looks just like him."

"Does!" Adam exclaimed.

"Well wait until you colour it in," Ashley said, her pencil flying across the page.

"Ash good," Adam said.

"Thanks Adam," Ashley smiled at him.

Adam turned and looked at his parents with such a smile that they couldn't help but smile back at him.

Jon reached for his wife's hand. "How are you feeling, Al?"

"I'm okay," Allison said squeezing his hand.

Jon slid his arm around her as she moved closer to him.

"Not the Christmas present I was planning on giving you," Allison said softly.

"We don't know for sure," Jon replied.

"She's never been wrong," Allison said. "But, it's not like this would be the end of the world. I mean, we have three wonderful children..."

"And we could have one more," Jon nuzzled her cheek.

"Another son to even things out?" Allison laughed.

"Sure," Jon said with a grin.

"Or it could be another little girl," Allison said thoughtfully. "You and Adam left defenceless with all this estrogen..."

"If she's as sweet as you and our other girls, I wouldn't mind a bit." Jon replied.

"Or a little boy as cute as you and Adam," Allison said.

"Maybe we shouldn't get our hopes up just in case," Jon said.

"Right," Allison said. "It could just be a false alarm or Kiera was listening to the chocolate cake in my stomach..."

Jon smiled.

Allison gave him a kiss. "We'll find out soon."

"You better believe it," Jon tugged at her ponytail.

Allison laughed. "What a night."

"It's always eventful here," Jon nodded.

"Never a dull moment," Allison said.

"We should get going in a bit," Jon said. "We still have to clean up from this morning."

Adam heard this and turned around. "No, go!"

"Not right now," Jon said. "But in a little while."

Ashley patted Adam on the shoulder. "We still have to colour in Max, right?"

"Right," Adam nodded. "Stay with Ash."

"What colour do you want to use?" Ashley asked holding out the crayon box.

"That one," Adam pointed to the red.

'Perfect choice," Ashley said turning the paper over to him.

"I stay in the lines," Adam said.

Ashley smiled. "You'll do great, Adam."

Adam grasped the crayon in his fist and began to carefully colour in the picture of Max.

"You're so patient with him," Allison commented to Ashley.

"He's a good boy," Ashley said.

Adam grinned at her.

"He's my special buddy," Ashley smoothed back his hair. "Maybe sometime soon we can get together and draw all day."

"He would love that, wouldn't you Adam?" Allison asked.

"YES!" Adam shouted.

Ashley laughed. "We'll have a good time."

"Right now," Adam said.

Ashley smiled. "I'll see you at Emma's birthday, Adam. And I'll definitely come by before I go back to school."

"Okay," Adam agreed.

In the kitchen, Hermione was sitting alone with Ellie. Andrew and Saffron had decided to go for a walk.

Hermione looked down at the baby in her arms and wished that her mother could have seen her great-granddaughter. "She would have loved you, Ellie."

Ellie yawned in response.

Hermione remembered how Elinore would sit with her grandchildren and just hold them or read them stories. It was times like this that she missed her mother the most.

"I promise I'm going to be as good a grandmother to you as my mum was to Julie, Ethan and Saffron," Hermione said softly.

Ellie cooed happily up at her.

"I promise," Hermione kissed the infant's little forehead.

"I was wondering where you were," Julie said coming into the kitchen.

"Just spending a little quality time with my granddaughter," Hermione said with a grin.

Julie smiled. "Alone time with Gran."

"She's so sweet," Hermione looked down at Ellie.

"She gets that from Andrew," Julie joked.

"Yes she does," Hermione laughed. "Although Saffron wasn't really too fussy."

"She was a good baby," Julie recalled.

"She loved Nick," Hermione nodded.

"And Ethan," Julie said with a grin. "My how things have changed..."

"She still loves her brother," Hermione said.

"Yes, she does," Julie said. "And that little one seems to love her grandmother." Ellie wrapped her little hand around Hermione's finger.

"I can't get enough of her," Hermione said. "Her or Gwyn."

"You're a great grandmother," Julie said smiling at her mother.

Hermione laughed. "I hope they still think that when they get older."

"I'm sure they will," Julie said. "Ashley and Katie adore you."

"They're my beautiful girls," Hermione said.

"They're lucky they had you considering their other grandmother," Julie said shaking her head.

"I can't believe that," Hermione sighed. "That woman will never grow up."

"Never," Julie agreed.

"Katie does seem to have a bit more Malfoy in her, but you've balanced that out well." Hermione said.

"She has a good heart," Julie said. "She's just---ambitious."

"Very," Hermione agreed. "That's going to help her later on."

"And I'm so proud of her for how hard she's worked," Julie said.

"Even in Slytherin, she doesn't seem to be doing badly," Hermione said. "And her reading has improved so much."

"It has," Julie said proudly.

"And I'm sure the girls love having you at the school," Hermione continued.

Julie laughed. "Let's wait until they're older and see how they feel. Especially Katie."

"Emma will be there in a few more years," Hermione shook her head.

"Where does the time go?" Julie wondered.

"I don't know," Hermione said. "Sometimes I still can't believe you three have children of your own now."

Julie put her hand on her mother's shoulder. "We're who we are because of you and Dad."

"We always thought we raised you three well," Hermione looked at the infant in her arms.

"I like to think we turned out well," Julie said.

"You did," Hermione nodded. "All three of you."

The backdoor opened and Saffron and Andrew came inside. "It's freezing out there!" Saffron exclaimed, taking off her cloak.

"It started getting really windy," Andrew said, reaching for her cloak to hang it up.

"Has she been okay?" Saffron asked her mother.

"She's been perfect," Hermione nodded.

Saffron grinned. "Thanks for watching her for us, Mum."

"Anytime," Hermione said. "You don't have to take her if you don't want her back just yet..."

Saffron laughed. "You can bond."

"Good," Hermione said happily.

"You're as bad as my mum was today," Andrew teased.

"I can't blame her one bit for not wanting to let this one go," Hermione smiled at Ellie.

"We had to sneak Ellie out," Saffron joked.

"She already can't wait to start watching her when Saf goes back to work," Andrew added.

"I can imagine," Hermione said making a funny face at Ellie.

Saffron stretched her back. "I feel like we're getting spoiled here."

Julie laughed. "Enjoy it while you can, Saf."

"Nick already said Ash was the perfect baby until she started teething," Saffron remarked. "After that..."

"Ellie will be perfect," Andrew said confidently.

Julie laughed. "Keep telling yourself that..."

"She will be," Andrew said. "Right, Saf? She's been great so far."

"Perfect," Saffron nodded.

"Again, I have to say enjoy it while you can," Julie said grinning at her sister.

Saffron carefully took her daughter into her arms. "It won't matter."

"Not at all," Andrew agreed.

"We probably should get her home," Saffron said.

"Bedtime for Miss Ellie Kirke," Andrew said. "I'll just go and get her carrier."

"Thanks," Saffron replied.

Andrew gave her a kiss before leaving the kitchen.

Saffron patted Ellie's back. "It's past her bedtime."

Ellie yawned and rested her head on Saffron's shoulder.

"My girl," she said softly.

Harry came into the kitchen. "Hey---Andrew said you were heading out."

"It's past her bedtime," Saffron motioned to Ellie. "So we thought we'd get her home."

Harry came over and kissed his granddaughter's soft cheek. "Happy Christmas, Ellie."

"I'll ring you tomorrow," Saffron promised.

Harry smiled at his youngest daughter. "Love you, Saf."

"Love you too Dad," Saffron grinned at him as Andrew came back in with the carrier. She put Ellie's little cloak on her and settled her in.

"Night, Saffy," Julie said. "And we have to get together, you, me and Mum for our spa visit." Saffron smiled. "Name the date and I'm there."

"We'll figure it out and let you know," Julie promised.

By the time Saffron and Andrew arrived home, Ellie was asleep in her carrier. Andrew gingerly lifted Ellie out of her carrier.

"I'll put her to bed," Andrew told his fiancée. "Go feed Puddles."

Saffron nodded. "Okay."

Andrew carried Ellie into the nursery and made quick work of changing her into the tiny set of pyjamas his parents had given them that morning.

Ellie let out a soft cry. Andrew picked her up and hugged her to him. "I'm sorry, sweetheart. You can go back to sleep now."

Ellie let out a little choked sob.

"You were the best Christmas present I've ever received," Andrew said softly.

Ellie sniffled and blinked up at him.

"I love you," Andrew whispered as he gently set her down in her crib.

Ellie whimpered again her eyes closing already.

Andrew started the mobile above her bed and a lullaby filled the room. Andrew watched her for a few moments.

He smiled as he watched his daughter's eyes droop. He still sometimes couldn't believe he was a father.

"Night, Ellie," Andrew said before turning out the lights. He grabbed the baby monitor and headed downstairs.

Saffron had just put a dish of food down for her dog. "There you go, baby."

Puddles looked up at her.

"El's out," Andrew told Saffron.

"She had a big day," Saffron said.

"We all did," Andrew replied. "It was fun watching Ellie and Gwyn interact."

"I have a feeling those two are going to be partners in crime," Saffron said walking over to him and looping her arms around his neck.

Andrew gave her a kiss.

"Best Christmas ever," Saffron said resting her forehead on his.

"Yes it was," Andrew agreed.

Meanwhile, Ethan and Maddie were just arriving home from the Burrow as well.

"Baby," Kiera said sleepily.

"Gwyn's right here," Maddie replied.

"And it's past time for you and your sister to be in bed," Ethan said. He carried Kiera upstairs followed by Maddie who was holding Gwyn.

"More baby," Kiera said to him.

Ethan laughed. "You mean your Aunt Allie?"

"Baby," Kiera said.

Ethan set her down. "Well, you are my baby and I'm going to help you get ready for bed."

Kiera sent him a little smile.

"Our little psychic," Ethan grinned.

Kiera yawned, her head drooping forward as Ethan worked on changing her into her pyjamas.

"Look who is wide awake," Maddie said looking down at Gwyn.

"We'll stay up with her for awhile," Ethan said, picking Kiera back up.

"Buh?" Kiera asked.

"We'll put Blue in his cage by your bed," Ethan promised his daughter.

Kiera smiled.

Ethan set her in her crib then went to get the pixie. "Come on little guy," he said to Blue.

Blue rattled his cage.

Ethan opened the door and Blue darted to the nursery.

Kiera clapped her hands. "Buh! Buh! Hi, Buh!"

Blue cackled and flitted around her head.

Maddie reached into her pocket. "Come here, Blue..."

"What did you bring back for him?" Ethan asked, opening the door to the cage they kept next to Kiera's crib.

"A little Santa hat," Maddie said putting it on top of Blue's head. "And....a chocolate chip biscuit."

Ethan laughed as the pixie downed the biscuit in one bite.

Kiera giggled. "Buh eat, Mummy."

"He's a good eater," Maddie nodded.

"I wonder where he got that from," Ethan mused.

"Not me," Maddie said innocently.

"Not you, eh?" Ethan asked, shaking his head. He looked at his youngest daughter. "What do you think, Gwyn?"

Gwyn sent him a toothless grin.

"I'm just surprised you saved the biscuit for Blue and didn't eat it yourself," Ethan teased his wife.

"I was tempted," Maddie revealed with a laugh. "But I know how much he loves them."

"Almost as much as you," Ethan said.

"Almost," Maddie nodded.

Kiera yawned from her crib.

"Bedtime for you," Ethan said, turning on the mobile with his wand. "I love you baby girl."

"Hug, Mummy," Kiera said reaching her hand up. "Mummy---"

Ethan took Gwyn from Maddie. "You can't pass that request up."

Maddie smiled and walked over to her daughter's crib. She leaned over and hugged Kiera. "My sweet girl. I love you so much. You know that, right?"

Kiera smiled at her.

Maddie kissed her forehead. "Sweet dreams."

Ethan carried Gwyn into the sitting room. His daughter looked up at him with her wide eyes.

"I think all the excitement of the day has thrown her off a bit," Maddie said thoughtfully.

"Probably," Ethan agreed.

"I just hope Nana's okay," Maddie said sitting down on the sofa.

"I think she will be," Ethan nodded. "Everyone will keep her mind off what happened."

Maddie nodded. "I hope so. At least Bill, Fleur and their children are staying with them. That will help."

"Yeah it will," Ethan agreed. "You could have stayed too, if you wanted."

Maddie smiled. "I'll go over tomorrow morning to check on her."

Ethan moved over so he was sitting next to his wife.

Maddie smiled at him. "This is perfect."

"Yes it is," he said as they both gazed down at Gwyn.

"Happy Christmas, Gwyn," Maddie whispered.

"She'll remember next one more," Ethan commented.

Maddie smiled. "She'll be talking and crawling..."

"And Kiera will be all over the place," Ethan said.

"The terrible twos," Maddie giggled.

"If she's like you, we won't have anything to worry about," Ethan said softly.

Maddie gave him a kiss.

"Love you Mads," Ethan said. "I love you so much."

"I love you too," Maddie said smiling at him. "Always have and always will."

"I hope Kiera doesn't see her husband when she's four," Ethan said half jokingly. "Because she'll never get to meet him."

Maddie looked at him. "So I guess I shouldn't tell you about the vision I had of her and Nathan Barron, then."

"Maddie--" Ethan began.

"Kidding," Maddie said laughing.

"Don't do that to me," Ethan said.

"I saw the way he was looking at her when they were playing the other day," Maddie said. "Their eyes met over the blocks..."

"I can't listen to this," Ethan shook his head.

Maddie laughed. "Remember how you teased your father about how upset he would get over Saffy dating..."

"I didn't like it either," Ethan said defensively.

Maddie patted his arm. "You won't have to worry about it for years, Ethan. Kiera and Gwyn are still babies and they'll always be Daddy's girls."

"They sure will," Ethan nodded, kissing Gwyn's forehead.

"And I didn't have any visions about Nathan and Kiera," Maddie reassured him.

"Good," Ethan said. "We'd be moving tomorrow if you did."

Maddie laughed. "Gwyn, your daddy is silly."

Gwyn smiled at her parents.

"Will you be this way when we have sons?" Maddie asked her husband.

"I don't know," Ethan said thoughtfully. "I think fathers aren't as worried about their boys but they expect more out of them."

Maddie smiled. "The way your father was with you."

"I guess it's just the way things are," Ethan said.

"It's the way Daddy was with Drew, Darla and me," Maddie said.

"And Dad was always protective of Jules and Saffy," Ethan recalled.

"Don't worry," Maddie grinned. "I'll be there to keep you in check."

Ethan grinned back at her.

Maddie rested her head on Ethan's shoulder.

"Tired?" he asked her.

"Yes," Maddie admitted.

"Go to bed if you want," Ethan said. "I'll stay up with Gwyn until she goes down."

"Are you sure?" Maddie asked.

Ethan nodded. "Go ahead."

Maddie kissed Gwyn's cheek. "Night, sweetheart."

"I'm sure I'll be in soon," Ethan told her as she stood up.

Ethan leaned back on the sofa and Gwyn cooed happily in his arms. "You're not even tired? Not even a little bit, love?"

Gwyn reached up towards his face.

Ethan smiled. "What is it?"

Gwyn grabbed a fistful of his hair and pulled.

"Ow!" Ethan yelped.

Gwyn let out a gurgle. Ethan couldn't tell if it was a laugh as he worked to free his hair.

"Quite a grip you have there, Miss Potter," Ethan said.

Gwyn just looked up at him and Ethan grinned. "I suppose that's okay."

Gwyn smiled back at him.

It was almost another hour before Gwyn finally fell asleep and Ethan carefully set her into her crib and checked on Kiera.

Kiera was fast asleep and Ethan leaned over and kissed her cheek.

"Daddy," Kiera mumbled.

"Sleep, Kiera," Ethan whispered.

He waited a few more moments before slipping out of the nursery and joining his wife in their bedroom.

Maddie was sleeping and he smiled as he thought of all that she had brought into his life.

He didn't take his eyes off her as he got undressed and slid into bed next to her.

"Pudding," Maddie mumbled.

"What?" Ethan asked.

"Muffin," Maddie mumbled, cuddling up to her husband. "Biscuits...and chocolate..."

Ethan chuckled. "Your favourite kind of dream..."

Maddie's eyes blinked open. "What?"

"How was your dream?" Ethan asked with a grin.

Maddie looked blearily at him. "My what?"

"Something about chocolate, and pudding," Ethan brushed a lock of her hair behind her ear.

Maddie giggled. "That sounds like something I'd dream about."

Ethan gave her a kiss. "Yes it does."

"How are Gwyn and Kiera?" Maddie asked closing her eyes.

"Fast asleep," Ethan replied. "Finally..."

Maddie laughed. "Gwyn loved having alone time with her daddy, I'm sure."

"I loved it too," Ethan replied.

"You're a great father, Ethan," Maddie said softly.

"You're a good mum," Ethan said, stroking her hair back again.

"We're so lucky," Maddie said.

"We are," Ethan agreed. "Two beautiful, healthy girls."

"And a pixie," Maddie grinned.

"Can't forget him," Ethan said dryly.

Maddie pinched him in the side. "Very funny."

"Hey," Ethan said. "That wasn't nice."

Maddie laughed. "You need to be nicer to Blue, Ethan. The girls love him and he loves the girls."

"I'm nice to him," Ethan replied. "I like him just fine.”

"And if it weren't for you, I wouldn't have him," Maddie said softly.

"Exactly," Ethan said.

Maddie gave him a kiss. "Good night, Ethan."

"Night," Ethan said quietly, watching her eyes close

It didn't take long for Maddie to fall back asleep and Ethan held his wife feeling that right now at this moment, life was about as close to perfect as you could get.

299. Chapter 299 Promise of a New Year

Authors’ note: New Year’s Eve in the next couple of chapters! Enjoy the holiday along with the characters!

Ashley set a bowl of crisps down on the coffee table and smiled at her younger sister, who was currently pouting on the couch.

"Katie, you'll have fun with Caroline tonight," Ashley tried to reassure her. "And she's going to love seeing your new hair."

"But I wanted to show it to Jemima," Katie tossed her new fringe to the side.

"She'll see it in a couple of days when we're back at school," Ashley said.

"It's so cool," Katie said admiring the green streaks that Zoë had woven through her hair. "And I love how it moves now."

"It looks great," Ashley said to her.

Katie grinned. "I look at least thirteen now."

Julie came into the room with a couple of boxes of pizza. "Katie, have you packed your bag? Your dad's taking you to Caroline's in a few minutes... "

"In a minute," Katie said.

"Caroline's really looking forward to it," Julie said. "And she said that you two have something special planned for Emma's birthday."

"We do," Katie nodded. "Em has no idea."

Julie smiled. "Don't forget to take the present we have for her when you leave."

"I'll go put it in now," Katie replied, getting up.

Ashley smiled at her mother. "Thanks for letting me have my friends over, Mum."

"No problem," Julie replied.

"They should be arriving any moment," Ashley said.

"Are you excited?" Julie smoothed Ashley's hair back.

Ashley nodded. "I'm really looking forward to seeing Brit and Zander."

"I bet," Julie said. "We just didn't feel comfortable with Katie going to Jemima's, though."

"I don't blame you there, Mum," Ashley said.

"All in all though..." Julie said. "I'm not as worried about her as I thought I'd be. She's adjusted rather well."

"She has," Ashley agreed.

"Your father and I will stay out of your way tonight," Julie said as Katie came back in with her bag. "We'll be upstairs."

"Thanks, Mum," Ashley said gratefully.

"But behave yourselves," Julie said.

"Ashley always behaves herself," Katie said with a grin.

Ashley made a face but smiled back at her sister.

"Give Adam and Emma a big hug from me," Ashley told Katie.

"I will," Katie nodded.

"Have a good time," Ashley said to her sister.

Katie pouted. "I don't want to leave until Brit gets here."

"You want her to see your hair," Ashley said.

"Yeah cause it looks amazing," Katie said, running her fingers through it.

"Ashley!" Nick called out. "Your guests are here!"

"Perfect!" Katie squealed.

"Perfect timing!" Ashley corrected. "Come on then, Katie..."

Katie ran ahead of her to greet her sister's friends.

Brittany squealed when she saw Katie's hair. "Katie Malfoy!"

"It looks so amazing, doesn't it?" Katie asked. "Look at the streaks!"

Brittany nodded. "That's fabulous! Who did it?"

"My dad's stylist." Katie said. "I was sort of nervous at first, but then once she really started doing the streaks and stuff, I loved it."

"I do too," Brittany said touching a strand of Katie's hair. "This looks great, doesn't it, Celia?"

"It's pretty cool," Celia said.

Katie turned to say something when she saw a cute boy standing beside Zander. "Whoa..."

"Katie," Ashley nudged her. "Dad's waiting for you..."

"R-right," Katie stammered. "I'll---I'll see you later."

"Ash," Brittany said with a huge grin. "This... is James."

"Who is he?" Katie asked. "I don't remember seeing him at Hogwarts..."

"Katie," Ashley hissed.

"Fine," Katie sighed. "But I want details when I get home."

Ashley shook her head. "Happy New Year, Katie."

"Hot," Katie mouthed to her sister before turning and walking out of the room.

"Like I was saying," Brittany said. "Ashley Malfoy, this is James..."

"Hi," James said, his smile widening as he put his hand out.

Ashley smiled back at him. He was a few inches taller than she was, but quite handsome. He had dark brown hair and greenish blue eyes. "It's nice to meet you, James."

"You too," James said. "This is a great house."

"Thanks," Ashley smiled. "Um, we're going to be in our family room. If you'll all just follow me."

Ashley led them all into the sitting room. She noticed that Celia and Zander were walking quite closely together.

And he hadn't even said hello to her, Ashley thought.

She straightened her back. If he could have fun tonight, then so could she. Ashley thought she had no reason to be ashamed of finding James to be extremely cute.

"So you go to Hogwarts then?" James asked Ashley conversationally.

Ashley nodded. "Yes... what about you?"

"He goes to Beauxbatons," Brittany answered before James could. "His parents work at the French ministry and he's really into music."

Evan nudged Brittany. "Brit, I think James can speak for himself."

Ashley blushed a bit. "My dad's a musician," she said.

"Nick Malfoy," James nodded. "He's fantastic."

Ashley smiled at him. "Um... did you want something to drink?"

"That'd be great," James replied with a grin.

"I'll help you," Zander offered.

Ashley looked at him in surprise. "Thanks."

Zander nodded and followed her into the kitchen.

"How were the rest of your holidays?" he asked her.

"Nice," Ashley said smiling at him. "How were yours?"

"Great," Zander said. "Celia and I went into London yesterday and saw a movie."

Ashley felt a little stab of jealousy. "Oh, that's great."

"Yeah," Zander gazed at her. "We had a good time..."

Ashley forced a smile. "That's great."

She gathered an armload of drinks from the icebox. "Um... I put some popcorn and some crisps and stuff in the sitting room."

"I'll take those," Zander said reaching for the drinks. As he did so, his hand brushed against Ashley's.

Ashley bit her lip but avoided his eyes. She remembered only too well the events of last year at this time.

"Brit and Evan are going to be completely annoying tonight," Zander finally said.

"Probably," Ashley managed. "Snogging all over the place when midnight comes..."

Zander made a face. "That's when I'll run for the loo."

"I'll head for the basement," Ashley said.

Zander laughed. "We can share in the suffering."

"Well I'm sure Celia won't let you go it alone," Ashley replied softly.

"Right," Zander said. "Um, I guess we should go before they send out a search party."

"Right," Ashley replied.

Brittany had turned on some music.

"I hope you don't mind," Brittany said to Ashley.

"Its fine," Ashley replied as James smiled at her.

Ashley handed him a drink. "So, how long are you in London?"

"For the holidays," James replied. "I stayed with Evan's family this year."

"My grandmother was at Beauxbatons as well," Ashley told him.

"Was she?" James asked interestedly.

Ashley nodded. "Do you like going there?"

"It's great," James said. "But now I wish I went to Hogwarts..."

Ashley blushed.

Zander watched his best friend and James. He knew what Brittany was trying to do, but he didn't like it. James seemed like a nice enough bloke, but he and Ashley did not have anything in common, Zander thought.

"So why don't you show me around?" James asked Ashley.

"Um, sure," Ashley said standing up. "Celia, would you like to come with us? You've never seen the house either..."

"Can Zander come?" Celia asked.

"Sure," Ashley said. "Of course."

Celia smiled a bit nervously at Zander as he joined their group. To her surprise, he reached over and took her hand in his.

"How long have you lived here, Ashley?" James asked.

"As long as I can remember," Ashley told him.

"It's so big," Celia commented.

"You should see my grandparents' house," Ashley replied. "It's enormous."

"The Minister's estate?" Celia asked.

"Yes," Ashley nodded. "They actually closed parts of it off because it's only them there now."

Celia, Zander and James followed Ashley upstairs.

"I'll warn you my room's a bit of a mess," Ashley said. "I've been working on a project..."

"What sort of project?" James asked her. "Evan said you're an artist."

Ashley nodded and was about to say something when Zander chimed in.

"She's not just an artist, mate," Zander said. "She's brilliant."

"So I’ve heard," James replied, not gazing away from Ashley.

Ashley's cheeks turned red. She opened the door to her room and ushered them inside.

"Evan wasn't kidding," James said in awe. "And neither was Zander."

Zander smiled at his best friend. "Ash..."

"This isn't my best stuff," Ashley said shyly.

Zander was about to say something when James beat him to the punch.

"This looks like something that should be in a museum," James said admiring the painting on Ashley's easel.

"You really think so?" Ashley was flattered.

James nodded. "You're brilliant."

Ashley flushed an even deeper shade of red. "I have some sculpture I've done in the basement..."

"She's never showed those to me," Zander muttered.

"What?" Celia asked looking at him. "Did you say something?"

"No," Zander said. "Hey, how about we go back before Brittany eats all the food."

"We'll catch up with you lot later," James told him. "Ashley's going to show me around..."

Zander glared at him for a moment.

Zander took Celia's hand and led her downstairs. "What a wanker..."

"What's wrong with him?" Celia asked. "I thought he was very nice, and he obviously likes Ashley a lot."

"He's just saying he likes her art because he fancies her," Zander said as if the answer should be obvious.

"Why does that bother you?" Celia asked.

Zander sighed. "Because she's my best friend and I don't want to see her hurt."

"But no one says she's going to get hurt," Celia replied gently. "Come on Zander... Ashley's a big girl, and she's smart."

"Sorry," Zander said, nodding. "You're right."

Celia smiled at him. "You look really nice tonight," she said shyly.

Zander smiled. "Thanks. So do you."

Celia smiled at him. "And I'm really glad you invited me..."

"Me too," Zander said to her as they entered the family room again. Evan and Brittany were dancing together.

Brittany groaned. "Bad timing, Zander."

"Sorry, didn't realise this was a private party," Zander joked.

"It should be," Brittany said. "Where are James and Ashley?"

"Upstairs in her room," Celia replied.

Brittany gasped. "Are they snogging?"

"Of course not!" Zander snapped at her.

"Bite my head off," Brittany retorted.

"Zander?" Celia asked. "Why don't you play something on the piano?"

"Yeah," Evan nodded. "Show off a bit, mate."

Zander glared at his cousin before sitting down at the piano. He thought for a moment about what he could play.

He decided to play the song he'd written for Ashley a few years ago. It was still one of his favourite pieces.

Upstairs, Ashley froze when she heard the familiar melody. James looked up from her sketchbook. "What is it?"

"Zander's playing the piano," she said. "You should come hear him, he's positively amazing."

"Alright," James said setting the sketchbook aside and following her downstairs.

Ashley hurried ahead of him into the sitting room.

Brittany saw the look on her friend's face when she watched Zander. Ashley could say anything she wanted, but Brittany knew her friend still had feelings for Zander.

Zander was surprised when he looked up and saw Ashley standing in the room.

Ashley smiled at him.

"That's such a pretty song," Celia commented.

"Thanks," Zander said. "It's something I wrote awhile ago."

"It's gorgeous," Celia said. "And you wrote it?"

Zander nodded. "It's one of my favourite pieces."

Ashley sat down on the sofa. "I've always loved it too."

Zander chanced a look at her. "Thanks."

Ashley smiled a bit at him as James squeezed next to her on the sofa. "So tell me more about your sculpture," he said.

"Oh, well I've just started working with it," Ashley said. "But, I've always liked learning new things, you know?"

"I like learning about new people," James flirted.

Ashley laughed. "Do you?"

"Absolutely," he said.

Zander wondered what Ashley's parents would think if they saw her with James right now. Would they be as upset as they were this past summer when he was with Ashley?

"I never got to show you the basement," Ashley replied.

"I would love to see the basement," James said offering her his hand.

Zander opened his mouth to ask if he and Celia could tag along, but Ashley and James headed out of the room before he could.

"I knew they would hit it off," Brittany boasted.

"You think her parents are going to let her go out with him?" Zander asked. "Even after this summer?"

"What happened this summer?" Celia asked curiously.

Zander turned red. "Um... it's a long story."

"Oh," Celia said frowning.

"A really long story," Brittany said. "Come on, we'll dance while we wait for them."

Downstairs in the basement, Ashley was showing James some of her sculptures. "They're not much..."

"These are really fantastic," James said, walking around a bust that Ashley had been working on.

"I'm still learning," Ashley said. She couldn't believe this cute boy was interested in her art. Most boys would probably be bored to tears.

"I wish I had the patience for this sort of thing," James said. "I can hardly sit still most of the time."

"Really?" Ashley asked. with a grin.

"Yeah," he admitted sheepishly. "I do like playing the guitar though. I'm pretty good at that."

"Is that what you want to do?" Ashley asked him. "Be a musician?'

"I'd like to be, someday," James replied.

"I'd love to hear you play sometime," Ashley said softly.

"You would?" James asked. "Really?"

Ashley nodded.

"I've got my guitar at Evan's," James said. "Maybe before I wind up going home..."

Ashley smiled. "I'd like that, James."

James grinned at her and Ashley felt her stomach flutter. It was a surprising sensation.

"So, what's it like growing up the granddaughter of the Minister and the daughter of Nick Malfoy?" James asked.

Ashley shrugged. "It's not been too bad. I mean, sometimes when we go out, my dad gets a little mobbed, but we've learned to deal with it. My grandma always has Aurors protecting her, plus my grandpa is the head of that department."

"Must not be easy making friends, eh?" James asked thoughtfully. "Never knowing if someone will like you because of who you are and not who your family is."

"Not always," Ashley said. "Zander and Brittany were my first real friends, that liked me for who I was and not my dad or my grandparents."

"Well, I hope that you can learn to count me in that group as well," James said smiling at her again.

Ashley blushed. "I'd like that a lot."

"Me too," James said.

"I'm glad you came tonight," Ashley said, feeling a bit bold.

"You are?" James asked.

"Yeah," Ashley nodded.

James reached for her hand. "So, how about we go back upstairs and dance?"

"Okay," Ashley agreed, her stomach fluttering again as he wove their fingers together.

They were still holding hands when they entered the family room again.

Brittany beamed at her. "Hey, you two..."

Ashley smiled at her. "Are you lot having a good time?"

"Absolutely," Brittany replied. "Sophie's been entertaining us..."

Ashley grinned. "She loves to show off to people."

"She's so cute," Celia said. "She even has her nails painted..."

"That was my sister's doing," Ashley told her.

"That explains the green and silver," Brittany replied.

Ashley laughed. "She did have bows on her ears, but Sophie didn't like those..."

"Cant' blame her there," Zander muttered.

"Let's dance then, shall we?" James asked.

"Sure," Ashley replied, blushing again.

James led her to the middle of the room.

Zander tried not to look at Ashley as James pulled her closer to him. Instead he focused on Celia.

"Do you want to dance, Zander?" Celia asked softly.

"Sure," Zander agreed instantly.

Celia smiled. "I love this song."

"Yeah it's pretty cool," Zander agreed, putting his arms around her.

Celia stepped closer. "You know, I've fancied you for quite some time..."

Zander nodded. "I like you too, Cel."

"As much as Ashley?" Celia asked.

Zander looked at her, startled.

"I'm not an idiot," Celia said quietly. "I could tell that you fancied her..."

"I used to," Zander covered.

"She's very pretty and smart," Celia said looking over at the blonde.

"She's my best friend," Zander said.

Celia looked at him. "So, you don't fancy her anymore?"

"No," Zander said. He only felt like he was partially lying.

Celia smiled. "Good."

"So um... I'm glad you came with me tonight," Zander said truthfully.

"Me too," Celia said resting her head on his shoulder.

Zander had to admit this was nice, but it still didn't stop the tugging feeling in his stomach when he saw Ashley move closer to James.

She had said she did not want a boyfriend, but apparently she'd changed her tune.

It was true Ashley had thought she hadn't wanted to go through the troubles of a relationship, but she was enjoying James's company.

"Your friend sure is overprotective," James commented.

"He's just concerned," Ashley said. "It's not a big deal."

"If you're not worried, I'm not worried," James said pulling her closer.

Ashley grinned at him. "Not at all."

James smiled back at her. "Brit was singing your praises to me earlier."

"She didn't have to do that," Ashley protested.

"She didn't do you justice," James commented.

Ashley's face turned a very deep shade of red.

"You're blushing," James grinned.

"I can't help it," she murmured.

"Not used to getting compliments?" James guessed.

Ashley just shrugged.

"That's a shame," James commented.

Zander had seen enough. He excused himself from Celia on the guise of getting some air. To his dismay, he ran into Nick Malfoy.

"Mr. Malfoy," Zander said.

"Zander," Nick said with a grin. "How are you?"

"Fine, sir," Zander said nervously.

"I was just going down to the studio," Nick said.

"Oh," Zander nodded. "You and Professor Malfoy aren't going anywhere for tonight?"

Nick shook his head. "That's what happens when you get old..."

"You guys aren't old," Zander laughed, still nervous.

"Thank you," Nick replied. "Come on...you can keep me company..."

"I can?" Zander nearly squeaked.

"Sure," Nick replied, motioning for Zander to follow him.

Zander gulped and followed Ashley's father downstairs.

"How's your music going?" Nick asked conversationally.

"All right," Zander said. "I really don't have a lot of time to work on it."

"You should make time," Nick said turning on the lights. "You have a gift, Zander."

"I try to play in the summer," he replied.

"And holidays?" Nick asked.

Zander nodded, staying near the doorway.

"You don't have to be so nervous," Nick reassured him. "Though, I can understand why you are. I know things didn't go smoothly this past summer..."

Zander shook his head wordlessly.

"We thought Ashley was a little too young to be so serious about someone," Nick said.

Zander didn't really know what to say to Nick Malfoy so he only nodded.

"I'm sorry regardless," Nick said. "I grew up with a father who didn't really care what I did as long as I didn't embarrass him."

"You did?" Zander asked. He knew a bit about Ashley's grandparents.

Nick nodded. "I always thought if I ever had children, I'd be different. So, I hope Ashley and Katie can forgive me for being a little overprotective."

"I'm sure she does," Zander said. "Ashley loves both of you very much."

Nick smiled. "And we're lucky that she's made such good friends."

Zander smiled back at him. "Thanks."

"She gets a little caught up when she's working," Nick said. "I hope you and Brittany will help her take a breather every now and again..."

"We will," Zander promised.

Nick grinned. "Would you like to hear my latest song?"

"Sure," Zander said. "That would be cool."

Nick pressed a button on the panel and the studio was filled with the sounds of his new song.

It was a bit different from the style he'd always had but Zander liked it. "I'm sure that will be a big hit," he told Nick once it was done.

Nick grinned. "Thanks, Zander."

"I should probably get back up to the party," Zander momentarily thought about telling Nick about James, but decided against it.

"Right," Nick nodded. "Thanks for listening."

Zander nodded. "Happy New Year, sir."

"Happy New Year," Nick said. "And...Zander?"

"Yes?" Zander turned around.

"Good luck to you," Nick said.

"Thanks," Zander said, stumbling a little as he headed back upstairs.

His friends were sitting on one of the sofas watching the telly.

"Everything okay?" Brittany asked him.

"Yeah," Zander said. "I was talking to Mr. Malfoy."

Ashley's eyes grew large. "You were..."

"Yeah he played his new song for me," Zander told her.

Ashley smiled. "He hasn't even played it for us yet."

"Really?" Zander asked. "We were talking about my music too. Just for a few minutes..."

"That's great," Celia said reaching for his hand.

Brittany pointed excitedly at the television. "Look! It's nearly midnight!"

"Already?" Zander asked.

Celia nodded. "Time flies when you're having fun!"

"Right," Zander said. "I shouldn't have been gone for so long."

James grabbed Ashley's hand and pulled her to her feet. "Ten...nine...eight..."

Brittany also jumped up and pulled on Evan's arm. "Come on, we'll go in here," she said, motioning to the dining room.

Ashley laughed. She had a feeling what her best friend would be doing in there.

"Seven...six...five," James continued his countdown. Ashley joined in.

"Four...three...two...one," Ashley said happily. She was about to tell him Happy New Year when she was surprised by his lips pressing gently to hers.

Her eyes popped wide open, but then closed as she forgot that Zander and Celia were still in the room with them.

Zander felt like he was just punched in the stomach as he watched James and Ashley snogging. He turned and smiled at Celia. He pulled her close and kissed her.

He could tell he'd taken Celia completely by surprise. They'd had a few dates now, but they had never kissed before.

"Wow," Celia said breathlessly.

"That was great," Zander said.

Celia nodded and hugged him tightly. "Happy New Year, Zander!"

"You too," Zander said. He noticed with some jealousy that James and Ashley still hadn't stopped kissing.

"This is going to be a great New Year," Celia was saying.

Zander wished he could agree with her.

At the Weasley house, Allison and Jon were upstairs waiting for the results of her pregnancy test. With everything that had been going on, they hadn't had time to take one until now. Jon had slipped out to the chemist and bought one of those Muggle tests.

"Mummy!" Caroline squealed, running into the bedroom with Katie and Emma in tow. "It's New Year's!"

"So it is," Allison forced a smile onto her face.

"Where's your brother?" Jon asked scooping Emma up.

"Adam's sleeping," Emma rolled her eyes. "He didn't last long, Daddy!"

"That's okay, sweetheart," Jon kissed her on the cheek.

"We're going to watch a movie now," Caroline said to Allison. "If that's okay..."

"Sure," Allison replied. "We've set up your sleeping bags in the sitting room."

Jon set Emma down. "I'll be down to tuck you in, in just a few minutes."

"Kay," Emma said happily hurrying after her sister and Katie.

"How much longer?" Jon asked Allison when they were alone.

"A few more minutes," Allison said. "I'm so nervous Jon..."

Jon sat back down beside her. "It'll be fine, no matter what."

"But another kid?" Allison asked.

"No matter what," Jon said putting his arm around her. "Do you remember when we living in the flat above the shop and we talked about having kids?"

Allison nodded. "Of course I do."

Jon smiled. "You said that I would be in charge of all dirty nappies."

"And look how well that worked out," Allison said wryly.

"I put in my time," Jon protested.

Allison smiled at him. "You have..." she said. "You're a wonderful father."

"And you're a great mother," Jon said. "They all adore you, you know."

"Those three are everything to me," Allison said.

Jon kissed her. "I love you."

"I love you too," she said softly.

"Daddy! Adam's crying for you!" Caroline called out.

Jon squeezed Allison's hand. "I'll be right back, Al."

"I'll check the results," Allison said, taking a deep breath.

"Wait for me," Jon told her. "We should look at it together."

"Okay," Allison said. "Hurry."

Jon nodded. "I promise."

Jon practically ran downstairs. Adam was crying while the three girls were watching their movie.

Jon picked his son up and hugged him. "What is it, buddy?"

"Bad d-dream," Adam stammered.

"What was it?" Jon asked. "You know it's not real, buddy."

"Want Mummy," Adam said.

"Okay," Jon said, standing up. "Let's go see Mummy."

Adam buried his face in Jon's shoulder as his father carried him upstairs.

"What's wrong?" Allison asked as Jon carried him in.

"He had a bad dream," Jon said handing him off to Allison. "Wanted to see you."

Allison held her arms out. "Come here love."

Adam put his little arms around Allison's neck.

"What is it sweetheart?" Allison kissed the side of his head.

"Big monster," Adam replied.

"There's no monster," Allison said soothingly.

Adam buried his face in her shoulder.

Allison rubbed her little boy's back. "Tell Mummy about it."

Adam sniffed and looked up at her. "Monster under my bed, Mummy. He tried to get me and I called for you..."

"I would have come to make him go away," Allison said.

Adam put his arms around her neck and hugged her tightly.

"I'd never let anyone get you," Allison kissed the side of his head. "I love my boy so much."

"Love Mummy," Adam said.

Allison hugged him to her. "Happy New Year, my love."

Jon sat down on the bed beside his wife. He patted his son's back. "You want to stay up here with us, buddy?"

Adam nodded and wiped his eyes.

Jon grinned. "That's my boy."

"I should go check that test," Allison said.

"I'll stay here with Adam," Jon said gingerly taking him from Allison.

"No!" Adam wailed.

Jon knew that he'd be fighting a losing battle if he tried to keep Adam from Allison. Allison took Adam back. "I'm not going anywhere," Allison said hugging him to her. "Jon...Go in the loo...if there are two lines on the stick..."

"I'll bring it back out here," Jon said.

"Thanks," Allison said. She leaned back on the bed and Adam cuddled up beside her. "Everything's okay, Adam Jonathan..."

"No monsters," Adam said in a small voice.

"No monsters," Allison agreed. "Your daddy and I will keep them away. I promise."

"Al?" Jon called. "What did you say it was if there are two lines?"

"Positive," Allison called back. "Are---are there two lines?"

Jon came out holding the stick.

"Two lines," he said holding it up for her to see.

Allison felt her face go pale. "Jon..."

"We're having another baby," Jon said, a smile playing on his lips.

Allison nodded. She felt like her head was spinning.

"How are you feeling?" Jon asked.

"Scared," Allison admitted.

"Scared too," Adam said. "Monster."

Allison patted his back. "It's okay, baby."

"Mummy scared too," Adam said.

Allison nodded. "Yes..."

"Why?" Adam asked.

Allison didn't have an answer for him. The truth was she liked her family the way it was. She liked her life the way it was. A baby complicated things.

"It'll be okay, Al," Jon said. "We can make this work."

Adam patted her arm. "No sad, Mummy. Kay?"

"I'll try, baby," Allison said softly.

Jon sat down beside her and gave her a kiss. "Can I do anything?"

Allison just shook her head. “I don't know."

He reached for her hand.

"Why are you sad?" Adam asked.

"I'm not sad," Allison said honestly. "I'm just surprised is all."

"Why?" Adam demanded.

"Well," Allison thought for a moment. "Um...it's..."

Jon looked at his son. "Well, buddy. It's kind of like how you feel when you're not expecting something and you come home and there's a big chocolate cake waiting for you...."

"Where's cake?" Adam asked.

Allison had to laugh at that. "Nice analogy, Jon."

"Got to put it in terms a Weasley understands," he said.

"Where's cake?" Adam asked again.

"There's not really any cake, son," Jon said.

"Oh," Adam frowned.

"Adam," Allison said. "In a few months... you won't be the baby anymore."

Adam looked curiously at her.

"I'm going to have a baby," Allison said.

"Baby?" Adam asked.

"It's in here," Allison patted her stomach.

Adam looked curiously at Allison's stomach and gently patted it. "I was there!"

Allison smiled. "Yes you were."

Jon tickled his son's side. "How was it in there, buddy?"

Adam thought for a moment. "I don't know."

Jon laughed. "Well, you can talk to the baby and tell him or her what it's like out here."

"Okay," Adam nodded.

Allison kissed his cheek. "You'll be a big brother, Adam."

"Have a boy," Adam said to his mother.

"You don't want another sister?" Jon asked.

Adam shook his head. "Too many."

Allison laughed again. "Too many sisters?"

"No more Em," Adam replied.

Allison tickled his side. "Emma loves you."

Adam looked at her doubtfully.

"She does and you love her," Allison said.

"Sometimes," Adam laid his head on her shoulder.

"That's the way I felt about Drew and Darla," Jon said dryly.

"Where Rafe?" Adam asked.

"I imagine he's fast asleep," Allison said. "It's way past his bedtime."

"Yours too," Jon told his son.

"Stay here," Adam said.

"You can stay here," Jon nodded.

Adam grinned. "Love Daddy."

"I better go make sure the girls are tucked in," Allison said.

"You okay hanging with me, buddy?" Jon asked Adam.

Adam nodded.

Allison kissed Adam on the cheek. "I'll be right back. I promise."

"Keep baby safe," Adam said.

Allison smiled. "I will, Adam."

Allison headed downstairs to make sure Katie, Caroline and Emma were safely tucked in and didn't need anything.

The girls were watching the movie and giggling. "Hi, Mummy!" Emma waved at her.

"Hi girls," Allison smiled. "Are you all set for the night?"

Caroline nodded. "Is Adam okay?"

"He's fine," Allison said. "Nightmare."

Emma got out of her blankets and made a move for the sweets on the coffee table. "Emma," Allison shook her head. "You eat that and you'll be up all night."

"But that's what we want," Emma pouted.

Allison laughed and pulled Emma close. "That's what YOU want."

"Mummy?" Emma asked. "Can I do my hair like Katie?"

"When you're older," Allison replied.

"Yay!" Emma clapped her hands together.

"If your parents let you do streaks we could soooooo look alike," Katie said to Caroline.

Caroline grinned. "That would be cool!"

"It matches my uniform perfectly," Katie twisted a lock of her hair around her finger.

"It looks really great," Allison told her.

"I was totally nervous," Katie said. "But just at first."

Emma looked at her mother. "If I got green streaks, I'd be like Christmas!"

Allison laughed. "Yes you would, baby."

Emma slid back under her blankets.

"There's something I wanted to tell you," Allison said softly.

"What?" Emma asked. "That I can have sweets?"

Caroline giggled. "Emma--not everything revolves around food."

Allison smoothed back Emma's hair. "I found out something interesting just before I came down here."

"What?" Caroline asked.

"That I'm pregnant," Allison replied.

Caroline grinned. "Really?"

Allison nodded. "What do you girls think about that?"

Caroline threw back her blankets and gave her mother a hug. "I'm so happy!"

Allison kissed the top of her oldest daughter's head.

"Me too," Emma said.

Katie tugged on one of Emma's curls. "One more little kid to boss around, eh, Em?"

Emma giggled. "I don't do that."

"You do," Caroline told her little sister. "That's why Adam doesn't like playing games with you. You tell him that he has to play by your rules, Em."

"I have good rules," Emma replied.

Katie laughed. "Em, you make them up as you go."

Emma just grinned at her.

Allison gave Emma a hug. "You'll be a good big sister again."

"Another girl, okay?" Emma asked her.

"Adam said he wanted a boy," Allison said.

"But another girl would be prettier," Emma countered.

"Oh yeah?" Allison asked nudging Emma.

"Yeah," Emma giggled.

"Congratulations, Aunt Allie," Katie said.

"Thank you sweetheart," Allison told her.

"Where will the baby sleep?" Emma asked.

"We aren't sure yet," Allison replied.

"The baby can share with Adam," Caroline said. "And once we know what it's going to be we can help you decorate, Mummy."

"If it's a boy, it will share with Adam," Allison said. "If it's a girl..."

"You guys can get a bigger house," Katie said thoughtfully.

"That might wind up being what we do," Allison said although truthfully she had no clue how they'd afford it.

Allison tucked her girls in and headed upstairs. She stood outside the door. She heard Jon's voice as he was obviously telling Adam a bedtime story. Her heart swelled as she saw Adam's head on Jon's chest.

Perhaps having another baby wasn't the end of the world. It meant a lot of change and some sacrifice, but she had three amazing children already.

Jon finished the story and looked down at his son. Adam was fast asleep. Jon looked up to see Allison standing in the doorway. "Hi..."

"Hey," she whispered.

"How are the girls?" Jon asked.

"They'll be asleep soon," Allison replied.

"You tell them?" Jon asked as Allison got into bed.

Allison nodded. "I hope you don't mind."

Jon shook his head. "No, not at all."

"It's a lot to think about," Allison replied.

"We'll make it work," Jon reassured her. "We always have, you know? It hasn't been easy, but we've found a way."

Allison slipped into bed next to Adam. "We sure have," she said, gazing down at her son's sleeping face.

"You were great with him," Jon said.

"He's my boy," Allison said.

Jon smiled at her.

Allison sighed and laid her head on the pillow. "Another baby..."

"How do you feel about this?" Jon asked her. "Honestly, Al."

"A bit terrified," Allison admitted.

"Me too," Jon replied. "You're not alone in that."

"It's just such a huge responsibility on top of what we already have," Allison said.

"Things are going well at the pub," Jon said. "And I can start offering flying lessons again for some extra money..."

"You think that will help?" Allison asked. "Because I'm not going to be able to work for a few months."

Jon nodded. "Yeah or I can put in some shifts at the shop for my dad."

"Jon--" Allison began.

"I don't mind," Jon cut her off. "I'm going to do whatever I can to provide for our family."

"I'll work as long as I can," Allison promised.

Jon squeezed her hand. "We'll do it, Al."

Allison touched the side of his face. "Did you ever think we'd have four kids?"

"You have five if you count me," Jon grinned cheekily.

Allison laughed. "I do love you, Jonathan Weasley."

"I love you too," Jon said.

"I guess another one like ours wouldn't be so bad," Allison said. "We've been lucky so far."

"Yes, we have," Jon agreed.

Allison smoothed Adam's damp red hair off his forehead.

"Mummy," Adam murmured.

"I'm here, baby," she whispered.

Adam turned toward her.

"No monsters," she said softly.

Adam put his arm around her and Allison kissed his forehead.

Jon turned off the bedside lamp. "Happy New Year, Al."

"What a way to begin it, eh?" Allison asked.

Jon grinned. "Wouldn't have it any other way."

300. Chapter 300 ...Mrs. Potter Remembers

Authors’ note: This is the 300th chapter! And it just so happens that we have a little H/Hr flashback in here! How fitting on the week that movie came out that seemed to think Harry’s soulmate was a red-haired ho.

Drew knew she was supposed to be enjoying the Ministry New Year’s ball, but she was concerned about her daughter.

"I hope Chloe's okay," Drew said to Brian.

"She's on top of the world," Brian reassured her. "She's spending the night with Ellie and Saffron and Andrew."

"And Puddles," Darla chimed in.

"Then she's definitely the happiest kid alive," Brian replied.

Drew laughed. "She's probably not even thinking of us, is she?"

"Highly doubtful," Brian replied.

"I hope Rafe is okay too," Darla said. "Perhaps I should go check in--"

"He's fine with Nana," Drew interjected. "Darla, you checked in five minutes ago."

"I know, but what if he needs me?" Darla asked.

"Nana will get in touch with you," Drew said simply. "

"You're right," Darla nodded.

"How about a dance?" Brian asked his wife.

"Love one," Drew replied with a smile.

Darla smiled at her sister as she watched her and Brian take to the dance floor.

"How about you?" Liam asked. "Fancy a turn out there?"

Darla smiled. "Really?"

"Can't guarantee that I won't step on your feet, but you look too pretty tonight to be a wallflower," Liam replied with a grin.

Darla beamed at him. "You look too handsome to waste sitting around..."

"Well then," he offered her his hand.

Darla took his hand. If she was being honest, it felt great to be out of the house for one evening. She missed Rafe, but it was nice to get out and forget about the drama for one night at least.

Her mind had wandered to her estranged husband on more than one occasion. It was exactly one year ago tonight that all this had started.

Liam led her to a spot on the dance floor. He hesitated just a moment before placing his hands on her waist. Darla laughed nervously as she put her hands on his shoulders.

They danced in silence for a moment. "This is a nice ball," Darla said. "They always do such a lovely job decorating for it."

"You've come to quite a few of these then?" Liam asked.

"I've been here almost every New Year's since I was eighteen," Drew nodded. "Aunt Hermione always gets us the invitations."

"This is only the second time I've been to one of these balls," Liam said. "The first was the Halloween one for St. Mungos."

"They don't do them very often here," Darla said. "I imagine because it's so much work."

Liam was about to say something when he stepped on Darla's foot. He saw her wince. "Sorry..."

"It's okay," she said, pressing her lips together.

"You want to stomp on my foot?" Liam joked.

"Maybe later," Darla teased.

Liam chuckled. "I see what you're doing. Lull me into a false sense of security and them bam!"

Darla laughed as he turned her around. "You've got me, Thornhart."

Liam pulled her back to him. He was struck by how the light hit her. She was breathtaking tonight and he hadn't been able to take his eyes off of her.

"What is it?" Darla asked, thinking she had something on her face.

"Nothing," Liam said softly.

"You've been sort of quiet tonight," Darla commented. "Did you hear from your family?"

Liam shook his head. "No, I have something else on my mind actually."

"Oh?" Darla asked. "What's that?"

Liam looked at her. "Someone who's been on my mind quite a bit actually."

"Are you interested in someone?" Darla asked.

"Yes," Liam replied.

"Oh..." Darla said. She was surprised to find herself disappointed to hear that, although she told herself she had no right to be. She was still married.

"It's a little complicated," Liam admitted.

"She'd be a fool to pass you up, whoever she is," Darla told him.

"A workaholic healer," Liam said rolling his eyes.

"You're a great catch," Darla told him.

Liam looked into her blue eyes and pulled her closer. "I didn't really realise what I was feeling until..."

A couple of witches walking by bumped into Liam, startling them both. "So sorry," one of them, a pretty brunette, said coyly.

Darla recognised one of the witches as a nurse at St. Mungos. She'd seen her working with Lizzy before. "Do you want to dance with her?" Darla asked. Could that girl be the one who he fancied?

"I don't really know her," Liam replied.

Darla looked at him. "Do you want to keep dancing with me then?"

"I'm here with you," Liam replied.

Darla stepped back into his arms and rested her head on his shoulder. "I'm glad."

Liam closed his eyes for a brief moment. He had no idea how to tell her that it was her he fancied.

Darla closed her eyes and felt as if the entire crowd disappeared and it was just the two of them here.

"The two of them look cosy," Brian said to his wife.

Drew smiled. "It's about time."

"I didn't realise Darla was interested in him," Brian commented.

"Well... I don't know if she realises she is," Drew said. "I'm sure she's taking her time. She has to get divorced from that jerk first."

"Has she started on that yet?" Brian asked.

"I haven't asked," Drew said. "I didn't want to bring it up during the holidays."

Brian pulled his wife closer. "We'll help her. I can even recommend someone..."

"I don't know what she wants right now," Drew said. "I just want her to be happy."

"Like you and me?" Brian grinned.

"You better believe it," Drew said, grinning back at him.

Darla pulled away and looked up at Liam. "Why are you so quiet?"

"I already told you why," Liam said.

Darla smiled. "You did, but you didn't tell me who this girl was?"

"Well... it really is complicated," he said. "I don't want to say anything until I'm sure."

"Sure of what?" Darla asked softly.

"That she feels the same way," Liam replied, looking away from her.

"Oh," Darla said feeling a twinge of jealousy. In all the time they'd spent together, he'd never once mentioned anything about this.

"Come on," he said. "Why don't we go get something to drink?"

"Sure," Darla replied.

He offered her his arm, which she took.

Darla smiled shyly at him.

"What'll you have?" Liam asked. "They've got punch and some champagne, as well as pumpkin juice... or butterbeer..."

Since she was still nursing Rafe, she didn't want to have anything too strong. "Pumpkin juice will be fine."

"All right," he smiled. "A glass of champagne at midnight then?"

"Sure," Darla replied. "Why not?"

"Great," he got her a glass of pumpkin juice and for himself, some mead.

"An hour until the new year," Darla said gazing at the big clock over the orchestra.

"And what will we do in that hour?" he asked.

"Give my feet time to heal," Darla joked.

"We can just sit," Liam gestured to their table they were sharing with Drew and Brian.

"I like that idea," Darla said.

"Great," he said, taking her arm and leading her over.

"Actually I'm going to make a quick run to the loo," Darla set her drink down.

"Need me to carry you?" Liam teased? "With those sore toes..."

Darla laughed. "I think I'll manage. I'll only be a few minutes."

Darla had to cut through a crowd of people to make it to the loo. Thankfully, she didn't have to wait in a queue for a stall.

She heard the sound of two women gossiping. "Did you see Mark Reynolds? I could just eat him up with a spoon," one of the women was saying.

"Oh please," the other said. "I've got my eye on that healer, the one that moved here earlier this year..."

"The Irish one?" her friend asked. "Mmmm..."

"Liam Thornhart," the first woman said. "Even the name just rolls off your tongue..."

"Looks like you have competition," her friend giggled. "He's besotted with that redhead, Darla something..."

"Oh please," the first woman said disdainfully. "She's been throwing herself at him all night and it's obvious he's not interested. He hasn't made one move."

"I heard that they've been spending a lot of time together," her friend said. "And I've even seen her at the hospital eating lunch and stuff with him..."

"Isn't she still married to that model?" the first woman said, laughing. "The one who cheated on her?"

The door opened and the two women became silent. Darla recognised the voice of her sister. The two women who had been gossiping giggled as they rushed out of the loo.

She unlocked the door as soon as they were gone and stepped out.

Drew caught sight of her sister in the mirror. "Hi."

"Hey," Darla said quietly.

"I had to get away," Drew joked. "Brian and Liam started talking about Quidditch and I felt myself nodding off."

Darla half smiled. "Drew... am I a fool for being here tonight?"

"What?" Drew asked and looking at her sister. "Why would you ask something like that, Darla?"

Darla told her sister what she'd overheard. "I'm a bloody laughingstock."

"Those two cows that were just in here said that?" Drew asked rolling her eyes. "Darla, they're just jealous."

Darla only shrugged.

"You know I'm right," Drew said. "Those tarts can't stand it that you were dancing with Liam and that you were his date. Lizzy was telling me the other day that a lot of the nurses fancy him. Come on..."

"I suppose you're right," Darla admitted. "But if they're interested, they should talk to him. He and I are just friends."

"Darla," Drew said. "Are you really this blind? That man is completely head over heels for you."

Darla stared at her. "No, he isn't. He told me tonight he's interested in someone."

Drew raised an eyebrow. "But, I thought---"

Darla shook her head. "I don't need this in my life now, anyways. Despite what's going on, Hans and I are still married."

"He doesn't seem to have any problem moving on," Drew pointed out. "With that makeup artist..."

Darla just shrugged.

"You need to start the divorce proceedings," Drew advised. "Brian will recommend someone. Or Josh---"

"I'll take care of it," Darla said irritably.

"Darla," Drew said. "I just want to help."

"Everything's just so messed up," Darla said quietly. "I don't know what to think or do."

'You'll be fine," Drew said giving her a hug.

"Thanks," Darla replied unenthusiastically.

"Come on," Drew said taking her hand. "We should go back to the table."

"Okay," Darla said.

Brian and Liam were still talking about Quidditch when Darla and Drew came back to the table.

"Honestly," Drew said. "Haven’t you said enough on the subject?"

"You can never talk enough about Quidditch," Brian said to his wife with a grin.

"Is everything okay?" Liam asked Darla, pulling out her chair for her.

"Yes," Darla replied quietly.

"Do you know that woman over there?" Drew asked, motioning to the brunette a few tables away.

Liam shrugged. "I think I've seen her at the hospital a few times. Why?"

"She seems interested in you," Drew commented, much to Darla's chagrin.

Liam shrugged again. "She's not really my type."

Drew sent her sister a significant look.

"Brian," Drew said pulling on her husband's arm. "Let's dance again." She wanted to give Darla and Liam some time alone. Despite what Darla had told her in the loo, she knew that her sister's feelings for the healer ran deep.

Darla felt awkward once her sister had gone. "Um... so are you having fun?" she asked.

Liam nodded. "Yeah, are you?"

"Sure," Darla nodded, twisting her fingers together.

"Is something wrong?" Liam asked.

"Not at all," Darla said, forcing a smile onto her face.

He could tell she was lying, but he didn't want to push it. "Would you like some more pumpkin juice?" he asked.

"Sure," Darla said.

"Or maybe it's time for our champagne," Liam said with a grin. "Remember?"

Darla had to smile at him for real. "It is almost midnight," she nodded.

Liam motioned for a waiter.

"Two glasses of champagne, please." he said. "Actually, make that four." he looked at Darla. "Then your sister and Brian have some instead of waiting in that queue."

"Good idea," Darla said as the waiter tapped his wand on the tray. Four glasses of champagne appeared.

"Thanks," Liam said gratefully. When they were alone again, he moved over to sit right beside Darla. "I don't think I really told you how beautiful you look tonight. When I saw you, it nearly took my breath away."

Darla was surprised at his words. "Thanks..." she said.

"There's something I've wanted to tell you," Liam said deciding it was now or never. "The truth is----"

"Hiya, handsome," the brunette nurse from earlier said flirtatiously tapping Liam on the shoulder.

"Uh, hello," Liam replied.

"Fancy a dance?" she asked him.

"Go ahead," Darla told him softly.

"It's nearly midnight," Liam said.

"I know," the nurse winked at him.

"I'm sorry, but no, thank you," Liam said to her.

The brunette's smile faltered. "No?"

"No," Liam repeated.

"But..." the brunette looked at him then over at Darla.

"My date and I were just about to hit the floor actually," Liam said standing up and offering Darla his hand. "Darla?"

"Sure...” Darla said, sliding her fingers over his.

He led her away from the scowling nurse.

"She certainly wasn't happy," Darla commented.

"I think she'll live," Liam joked.

Darla smiled at him. "I think she's jealous."

Liam smiled down at her as he put his arms around her. "I don't care. I'm right where I want to be."

Darla nodded. "Yeah... me too."

Liam laughed. "I promise...no toes, this time."

"Deal," Darla grinned at him.

"Last year at this time, I was back home working a double shift," Liam said thoughtfully.

"Last year I was heading to New York to surprise Hans," Darla said.

"Well," Liam said. "I don't know about you, but this is a much better time."

Darla nodded. "Very much so..."

"Ladies and gentlemen," the conductor announced. "We're just two minutes away from the New Year..."

"Let's go get that champagne," Liam said, sliding his hand over hers.

"Right," Darla said.

Drew and Brian joined them at the table. "Thanks for the champagne, mate." Brian said.

"No problem," Liam said.

Drew looked at her sister but Darla only sat down.

"One minute," Drew said excitedly.

"Let's have a toast," Brian said. "To what was a great year- we met Liam here, Rafe was born..."

Darla had to smile at the mention of her son. "Rafe..."

"Who I'm sure is doing fine," Drew teased.

"Okay," Darla laughed. "Need I remind you of Chloe...?”

"I haven't checked in all night," Drew said.

"...Ten....Nine," the crowd began to countdown.

"Eight," Brian slid an arm around his wife as they went through the countdown.

Darla wasn't sure what to do with Liam. She knew that as the clock struck midnight, all the couples would be kissing.

"One!" the crowd shouted as confetti exploded over everyone's heads.

Drew put her arms around Brian and gave him a kiss.

"I still think about that New Year's ball when I first saw you here," Brian said softly. "Took all my nerve to come over here and talk to you."

"I'm so glad you did," Drew said beaming at him.

"Me too," Brian gave her another kiss. "Best decision I ever made."

Darla looked wistfully at her sister and brother-in-law. She wanted what they'd had. She thought she'd had it with Hans.

"Hey," Liam said. "Happy New Year, Darla."

"Happy New Year, Liam," Darla said softly.

"It's going to be a good year for you," Liam said,

"You think so?" Darla asked.

Liam nodded. "Of course."

"I hope you're right," Darla said thoughtfully.

"For both of us," Liam smiled at her.

Darla raised her glass. "Here, Here."

He touched the champagne flute to hers.

Darla looked at him. "And maybe you'll work up the courage to tell that girl."

"Yeah," Liam said. "Maybe..."

Darla leaned forward and kissed his cheek. "You're a great bloke, Liam."

He fought to keep from turning red. "Thanks."

Darla smiled and leaned back in her chair. As she did so, she caught sight of the gossiping nurses.

They were both glaring over at her and the brunette whispered something to her friend, making them both laugh scornfully.

"I---I think I'm going to go home," Darla said pushing back from her chair.

"What?" Liam asked, confused.

"It's late and I want to see Rafe," Darla said.

"Dar," Drew said. "What's going on?"

"Nothing," Darla lied. "You and Brian stay and enjoy your evening..."

"I'll see you home," Liam said standing up.

"No," Darla said. "You have fun... I'll be all right."

"Darla," Liam protested.

"Really," Darla said.

Liam sank back into his chair as he watched her practically run out of the ballroom.

"What happened?" Drew asked him.

"I don't know," Liam replied. "I was hoping you might tell me."

Drew was about to say she had no idea when she spotted the two women Darla had been talking about earlier. "Oh..."

"What?" Liam asked following her gaze.

"Those women," Drew said. "They were apparently talking about her in the loo."

"What did they say?" Brian asked.

Drew told them what Darla had overheard.

Liam shook his head. "I wish she would have said something."

"I'd like to scratch their eyes out," Drew said angrily.

Liam told them about one of the nurses had approached him earlier and asked him to dance.

"I think that's the same one," Drew said. "Catty bitches..."

"Heads up," Brian said. "She's coming back over here."

Drew had to literally bite her tongue so she wouldn't rip the woman a new one as the brunette smiled flirtatiously at Liam.

"All alone?" she asked taking Darla's vacant seat. "I'm Lana, by the way. We worked on a surgery together once..."

"I see," Liam replied.

"Lana and Liam," she purred.

Drew got up. "I think I need to get out of here."

"Just what I was thinking," Lana said looking at Liam.

"Me too," Liam said pushing her hand away. "You go your way, Laura. I'll go mine..."

"It's Lana," she corrected him.

"Right," Liam said. "If you'll excuse me, I have to catch up with someone."

"Why don't you go find someone else to paw at," Drew said glaring at the other woman.

"I beg your pardon?" Lana asked icily.

"You heard me," Drew said rounding on her. "And I heard you and what you said about my sister. If I ever hear that you've been spreading ugly rumours about her, I will claw your eyes out and tear out your cheap dye job strand by strand. You got that?"

Liam suppressed a grin as Lana stammered for words.

"I-I'm sorry," Lana muttered.

Drew crossed her arms and stared at the other woman as she nearly tripped over her feet hurrying away.

"Nice," Brian said putting his arm around his wife.

"Don’t' ever mess with my sister," Drew said. "Ever."

"I'll go and get our cloaks," Brian said squeezing his wife's hand. "Be right back."

"Thanks," Drew said.

Liam looked at Drew. "Brian's right. The way you handled that nurse..."

"Darla's been through a lot in the last year," Drew said. "I'd do that to anyone who tried to hurt her. She was the same way for me when I went through my miscarriage."

"I don't want to hurt her," Liam said quietly.

"I don't think you will," Drew told him.

"I can't even tell her how I feel," Liam said shaking his head.

"How do you feel?" Drew questioned him.

Liam sighed. He wasn't so sure he should be telling Drew about this. "She's become one of my really great friends. I've told her things that no one else knows."

Drew nodded. "I think she cares about you."

"But she's not ready," Liam said quietly.

"She still has to start divorce proceedings," Drew told him.

"Which she doesn't seem ready to do," Liam concluded.

"I don't know," Drew confessed. "I really don't. But I'm glad she's at least got you as a friend."

Liam smiled. "I'm glad that I have her, too."

"Here we go," Brian came back with their cloaks.

"Thanks," Drew said. "Let's go home, Bri."

Liam walked out with them. "Tell Chloe I said Happy New Year," he said.

"We will," Drew promised. "And---and just be patient with Darla, Liam."

"Drew," Brian nudged her. "You shouldn't involve yourself..."

"She's fine," Liam said. "She cares about her sister."

"Very much," Drew added. "We take care of each other."

"The Weasleys look out for their own," Brian said dramatically earning a poke in the side from Drew.

"You better remember that," she told him.

"I do," Brian said taking her hand. He looked over at Liam. "Night, mate."

"I'll see you lot later," he replied.

While the Ministry ball was winding down, Hermione Potter was sitting on the sofa at home watching an old movie. This big house never seemed emptier than when she was by herself. Harry was on assignment in New Zealand and wasn't expected back until sometime next week.

He'd not been happy about the mission, but it was last minute.

Hermione had learned over the years to expect the unexpected when you were married to an Auror. Surprise missions, raids and overnight excursions were all par for the course.

She sighed, setting her book on the table. Hermione supposed she could have gone over to Lavender's, or had Ron and Luna for the evening, but her heart just wasn't in it.

The Wireless just crackled to life announcing the New Year. Hermione smiled. Wherever her husband was, she hoped he was safe and that he knew she loved him. "Happy New Year, Harry."

She heard the crowd over the Wireless at the ball and she hoped Drew and Darla were having a good time. She was always happy to get them tickets.

"The Minister did not attend tonight, but we all, of course, wish her and her family well in the New Year," the announcer said.

Hermione smiled to herself at the words. Things lately had been going so well, for all of them. Especially Saffron.

Hermione looked at the photo on the mantle of Saffron, Andrew and Ellie.

Sometimes she still couldn't believe her baby was now a mother as well.

A familiar melody began on the Wireless and Hermione closed her eyes.

It was the first ball they had attended. Hermione had just begun working for the current Minister for Magic and had gotten tickets from him to attend.

Harry came into the bathroom just as Hermione was finishing her hair. "You want to help me with this thing?" he asked holding up his tie.

"Sure," she said with a smile. "You are rather hopeless."

"Very funny," Harry said as Hermione took the tie and expertly tied it for him.

"There we go," Hermione smoothed it. "Very, very handsome."

Harry leaned in for a kiss, but Hermione pushed him away. "Hermione---"

"I just did my makeup," she said.

"Okay," Harry said holding up his hands. "I'll leave you...for now."

"I won't be long," Hermione told him.

Harry left her alone and Hermione closed the door. She wanted everything to be perfect tonight.

She took her dress robes from behind the door where she'd hung them. Lavender had made them especially for her.

They were royal blue and Hermione had loved them the moment she'd seen them.

She slipped them on and smoothed the neckline.

Her mother had loaned her a pair of diamond earrings and necklace that completed the look.

"Hermione," Harry knocked on the door. "We're going to be late."

"I'm ready," Hermione said before opening the door.

Harry stared at his wife for a few moments. "Wow."

Hermione smiled. "You like?"

"I love," Harry replied. "You look amazing."

"So do you," Hermione said taking his hand.

"Can I kiss you now?" he asked.

"Absolutely not," Hermione replied. "We're late!"

"Hermione," Harry complained.

"Later," Hermione promised.

Harry reluctantly followed her out. "Are we Apparating?"

Hermione nodded. "Are you ready?"

"Of course," he said, taking her hand. "I’ll do it for both of us."

Hermione squeezed his hand. She was so nervous about tonight. She wanted to make a good impression for the Minister and on her colleagues.

Both of them were a bit awed as they went into the ballroom. Hermione had been in there many times but had never seen it like this.

Hermione was startled by the flashes of what seemed like a hundred cameras. "What in the world---"

"Hey," Harry held up his hand. "Knock it off!"

"Who are you wearing?" one of the reporters shouted at Hermione.

"My cousin..." Hermione said.

"Are you pregnant?" Rita Skeeter asked. "Is it a girl or a boy? You've been married for a little while now..."

"You don't have to answer her," Harry said, casting Rita a dirty look.

"Will you please let us by?" Hermione asked.

"If you'll answer a few questions," Rita said slyly.

"No comment," Harry said to the woman.

"Hermione," Minister Draven approached. "So glad you made it."

Hermione smiled. "Hello, Minister. Happy New Year."

"And to you as well," the minister nodded to Harry. "Mr. Potter, it's good to see you."

Harry shook the older man's hand. Of course, this set the reporters and photographers off again.

"That'll be in the front page," the minister joked.

Harry laughed. "You think so?"

"They don't miss a trick," Minister Draven led them away from the reporters.

"Thank you, sir," Hermione said gratefully.

"Working for me, you'll have to get used to that," Minister Draven warned.

Hermione nodded. "Yes, sir."

"Enjoy your evening," Minister Draven said. "I think you'll both have a good time."

"Thank you," Harry said to him. He looked over at his wife when they were alone. "I'm sorry about all that, Hermione. I know it isn't easy."

"Like he said," Hermione replied. "I'll have to get used to it. I'm working towards becoming Minister myself someday, and I'm married to the most famous wizard of our time."

Harry rolled his eyes.

"I am," Hermione said, moving closer to him.

"Let's dance, shall we?" Harry asked.

"I thought you'd never ask," Hermione said softly.

Harry grinned and took her hand.

Hermione closed her eyes as Harry circled his arms around her.

"It's going to be a great night," Harry promised.

Hermione smiled at him. "You can kiss me now."

"What if I don't want to anymore?" Harry asked teasingly.

"You always want to kiss me," Hermione replied.

"True," Harry replied with a grin. He leaned in and gently kissed her.

Hermione smiled as her lips met his. Kissing Harry never, ever got old.

"Get a room," Neville called out.

Harry ignored his friend and kissed his wife more deeply.

"Leave them be," Cho said to Neville.

"Rabbits," Neville replied.

Harry pulled away from his wife. "We'll behave...for now."

"I'll believe that when I see it," Neville cracked.

Cho swatted at her husband. "Hermione, I love your robes."

"Thank you," Hermione said. "Lavender made them for me, just for tonight."

"They're gorgeous," Cho said. "Blue is definitely your colour."

"I love yours," Hermione said. "You look lovely in silver."

Cho grinned. "Thanks."

"How about we get a drink?" Neville suggested. "This place is brilliant."

"It really is," Hermione agreed.

"If Ron was here his eyes would be bugging out," Neville motioned to the catered table. "I don't think he'd leave it once."

"He would be in heaven," Harry laughed. "You should have seen him at Christmas dinner, Nev."

"I already know," Neville said. "We went to school with him."

"You lot give him too hard of a time," Cho chastised. "He's a great bloke."

"He's all right," Harry said.

"He's one of your best friends," Cho said linking her arm in her husband's. "And Chiaki adores him."

"Thankfully someone does," Harry got himself a beer and Hermione a glass of champagne.

"How is Chiaki?" Hermione asked.

"She's fine," Cho said. "Growing like a weed."

"Cho's already called to check in with the babysitter twice already," Neville said.

Harry scoffed. "I’m sure she's fine."

"Maybe I should check in once more," Chiaki said thoughtfully. "Make sure she's sleeping..."

"Cho," Neville said. "We're here to have a good time."

"Right," Cho said. "No worrying."

"We're here to have fun," Hermione said. "I can't wait for midnight."

"Me too," Harry said. "A new beginning."

"This year has been a good one," Neville replied.

"And it's only going to get better," Hermione said raising her glass.

"That's right," Harry said. "You graduated with honours from University..."

"You finished the Auror program," Hermione said.

"WE finished the Auror program," Neville said.

"And I'm so proud of both of you," Hermione said. "You worked really hard."

Cho nodded in agreement. "And you both did exceptionally well."

"And you started your studio," Harry said. "What you always wanted to do."

"It's doing so well," Cho said. "I love teaching those little girls how to dance. They're all so precious."

"Someday you'll be teaching Chiaki," Hermione said.

"She's already trying," Neville said.

"She's so cute," Cho said. "She does these little twirls..."

"It is cute," Neville said eagerly. "And she always falls down afterwards."

"And claps her little hands," Cho said.

Harry grinned. "I do love that little girl."

Hermione reached for an appetizer and the smile fell from her face when she saw Rita Skeeter staring back at her. "Merlin..."

"What?" Harry asked.

"The Boy Who Lived," Rita said. "And the Girl Who Saved Him...she brought you back to life, didn't she? Saved you from a life of desperation..."

Harry cast her a dirty look. "I have nothing to say to you, Skeeter."

"Would you please leave us alone?" Hermione asked her. "We're just another couple at the ball."

"Hardly," Rita replied. "You're looking to become the next Minister for Magic, are you not?"

"I'm very happy where I am at the Ministry," Hermione told her.

"That's not what I heard," Rita fished.

Hermione glared at her. "I don't know what you heard, but your stories were wrong. I am perfectly happy working for the Ministry."

"You need to leave," Harry said unceremoniously.

"Go troll around in someone else's rubbish," Cho said to the woman.

"And who are you?" Rita asked haughtily.

"Little old me?" Cho asked, pulling Rita around so Harry and Hermione could make an escape. "I'm no one."

"Get out of my way--" Rita began

"Why?" Cho asked. "Is there someone here you wanted to talk to? Because it's just me and my husband here..."

"I need-" Rita began again

Neville grabbed Cho's arm. "How about we dance, my love?"

"I'd love to," Cho said with a smile.

Rita muttered something and stalked off in the other direction.

"Finally," Cho said.

"Subterfuge is one of your skills, Cho," Neville grinned at her. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"Just trying to keep it real," Cho joked.

Harry had led Hermione to the back of the ballroom. She looped her arms around his neck. "I know I have to get used to it, but it doesn't mean I have to like it."

"I've had to live with it since I was eleven, and I still hate it," Harry said grimly.

"You always handle it well," Hermione said.

Harry only shrugged.

"I knew what I signed on for when I married you," Hermione said smiling up at him. "I think I can put up with a few nosy reporters."

Harry had to smile back at her. "You're the only one who could make light of this you know..."

Hermione gave him a kiss. "For better or worse, remember?"

"You better believe it," Harry said softly. "You're stuck with me, Granger."

"Potter," Hermione corrected. "Remember?"

"I couldn't ever forget," Harry said. "Force of habit."

"You'll get used to it," Hermione reassured him with a grin.

"I suppose I will," Harry teased.

Hermione poked him in the side. "Very funny."

Harry leaned in and gave her a thorough kiss that left her breathless. "I'm in it for the long haul, Hermione. I've never met anyone like you. I love you more than anyone else I've ever known."

"Oh, Harry," Hermione said softly.

Harry touched her cheek gently and leaned in to kiss her again.

"Hermione?"

Hermione reluctantly stirred. She didn't want to wake up. This was a great dream.

"Hey," the shaking at her shoulder persisted. "Hermione..."

Hermione blinked her eyes open for a moment. "Hi, Harry." She turned over and closed her eyes again.

"Hi..." Harry said, prodding her again.

Hermione opened her eyes again. "Harry? What --what are you doing here?"

"We finished the mission early," Harry said. "And I wanted to see my beautiful wife."

Hermione sat up and threw her arms around him.

Harry slid his arms around her. "I missed you too."

"Did you catch the bad guys?" Hermione asked, smiling as she thought of the question their children used to ask him when he'd go away.

Harry grinned. "I always do."

"I'm so glad you're home," Hermione said resting her head on his shoulder.

"Me too," Harry said. "I didn't like the thought of you being here all alone."

"Me either," Hermione said.

Harry leaned in and gave her a kiss. "I got us some champagne to celebrate with at midnight."

Hermione smiled. "You did?"

"The finest," Harry produced a bottle.

"I'll get the glasses," Hermione said, but Harry put his hand out.

"Let me," he said, waving his hand at the cabinet.

Hermione laughed. "By all means."

The door flew open and two flutes floated towards them.

"Show off," Hermione said.

"You love it," Harry smirked.

"I always have," Hermione said with a grin.

Harry popped the cork on the champagne bottle and poured them both a glass. "I got here just in time."

"You always do," Hermione said.

Harry slid his arm around her and brushed his glass against hers. "Happy New Year, Hermione. I love you as much today as I always have."

"Me too," Hermione said. "Before you arrived, I was remembering the first ball we attended. Do you remember?"

"Of course I do," Harry said. "I remember how gorgeous you looked that night."

Hermione smiled. "And you couldn't tie that tie..."

"Still can't tie my ties," Harry replied.

"You are pretty hopeless in that regard," Hermione teased.

"That's one of the reasons I have you," Harry said.

"Is it now?" Hermione asked.

"One of them," Harry said. "There are many reasons... and I love you for each and every one of them."

Hermione gave him a kiss. "I love you."

"Love you too," Harry said, his lips brushing against hers.

Hermione snuggled up beside him and felt content, happy and safe.

"What were you going to do at midnight?" Harry asked.

Hermione shrugged. "If you hadn't come along, I would have been sleeping, I imagine."

"So early?" Harry asked.

Hermione laughed. "What should I have done?"

"I'm sort of surprised you weren't at the Ball," Harry responded.

"I wouldn't want to go if you couldn't be there with me," Hermione said softly.

Harry kissed her cheek. "You wouldn't have had anyone to dance with..."

"I might have found SOMEONE," Hermione laughed. "Someone tall, dark, and handsome."

Harry scoffed. "There's no one taller, darker, or handsomer than me."

"Dimitri Llewellyn in the Wizengamot is actually taller than you," Hermione said thoughtfully. "And quite handsome..."

Harry pulled his arm away from her and glared.

Hermione laughed. "I'm joking..."

"It's not funny," Harry said.

"I'm only kidding and you know it," Hermione said moving closer to him. "You know that I think you are the most handsome man in the whole world."

"That's more like it," Harry grumbled

"Will you ever forgive me?" Hermione asked dramatically.

"I don't know," Harry shrugged.

Hermione nuzzled his cheek. "I could start with that..."

"That's a start," Harry admitted.

"Am I getting warm?" Hermione asked.

"Yes..." Harry's voice trailed away.

Hermione grinned and stood up. She offered him her hand. "If you want to find out the rest, you'll have to follow me upstairs, Mr. Potter."

"Well... if you put it that way," Harry said.

"Happy New Year," Hermione grinned at him.

Harry scooped her up into his arms and grinned back at her.

Hermione laughed. "Welcome home."

*** *** ***

301. Chapter 301 The Trouble with the Truth

Authors’ note: Thank you for the response to Chapter 300! We appreciate it! Tonight’s chapter finds us back with the Hogwarts gang! Enjoy!

It was the first day of classes for the new semester and Katie was eager to show off her Malfoy ring to her friends. Katie had hidden it inside her trunk and it had taken everything she had not to take it out on the train to show her friends.

Katie tied her hair back in a little ponytail. She loved the way the green streaks looked with her school uniform. Looking around, she removed the ring from her trunk and put it around her neck on a chain.

"What are you doing?" Lindsey asked. She and Katie were no longer friends, but she knew when Katie was up to something.

"Nothing," Katie said loftily.

Lindsey rolled her eyes. "I'm going to have breakfast with Erin. Excuse me."

Katie checked her reflection in the mirror once more before grabbing her school bag and heading out of the room. She had a great holiday, but now, she was glad to be back at school. She never thought in a million years she would have said that, but it was true. She really felt that she belonged here.

"Good morning, Katherine," Jemima smiled at her when she descended into the common room.

"Good morning," Katie smiled back. "How were your hols, Jem?"

"They were wonderful," Jemima said. "We missed you at my party... it was quite the do. Tristan and I had LOADS of fun."

Katie bit her bottom lip. She had lied to Jemima that the reason she could not go was because she was attending a party her father was throwing with some industry people. She was not going to tell her that she had spent New Year's Eve with Caroline and Emma. It wasn't that she hadn't enjoyed it, but it was not something she wanted to share with Jemima.

"We sneaked off at midnight to have our own celebration, if you know what I mean," Jemima said as Katie and Piper followed her to the Great Hall for breakfast.

"What?" Katie asked innocently.

"She means they snogged," Piper said disdainfully. "Don't you first years know ANYTHING?"

"Of, of course," Katie said hastily.

"Well it was just absolutely grand," Jemima said. "I couldn’t' think of a better party."

"But, I'm sure your party was exciting too," Piper said to Katie. "Your father's thing. I would have thought it would have been in the papers."

"It was sort of low key," Katie explained hastily.

"Maybe we should ask your sister about it," Piper said, motioning to the Gryffindor table where Ashley was sitting with her friends.

"No," Katie said quickly. "I mean... she didn't really go... she went out with her own friends. You should see the guy she was with, he was so, so hot."

"Ashley Malfoy?" Jemima asked taken aback. "I thought she was dating that loser Zander something."

"No," Katie shook her head. "Not since the summer. She met this bloke James on New Year's Eve and she told me they kissed at midnight."

"Is this James a Muggle?" Piper asked.

"No," Katie shook her head.

"Where does he go to school?" Jemima asked as they took their seats.

"He lives in France," Katie reported. "And he goes to Beauxbatons. He wants to be a musician someday."

"Hmmm," Jemima considered this for a moment.

"I didn't really get to talk to him, but he was gorgeous," Katie poured herself some juice.

"I really like your hair," Jemima commented.

"Thank you," Katie glowed. "It looks so great with my uniform. I'm going to have to find a way to wear green and silver all the time now."

Piper sighed. "Green streaks. How original."

Katie glared at her. "I don't see YOU with any streaks in your hair."

"Piper, be nice," Jemima told her. "Katherine here is trying to be original. She's right. No one else in Slytherin has them."

Katie smiled smugly at Piper. "There's something else I want to show you too," she said to Jemima, displaying the ring.

Jemima's eyes grew large. "Katherine."

"It's the Malfoy family ring," Katie said. "My dad's parents showed up Christmas day and my grandfather gave this to me when he found out I was in Slytherin."

"How old is it?" Piper asked.

"He said it's been in my family for generations," Katie said, rubbing her finger over the silver engraving.

"I can't believe your father let you have it," Jemima commented. "You said that he wasn't close to Draco Malfoy, right?"

"He doesn't know I have it," she confessed. "He used a spell to put it in my pocket."

Jemima smiled. "He was one of the best. Everyone thinks so."

Katie straightened up proudly.

"Well done, Katherine," Piper admitted reluctantly.

"Thank you," Katie said, glowing.

Jemima looked at Katie. "Can I have a better look then?"

"Sure," Katie leaned forward. "I've got it on a chain."

Jemima watched as Katie unclasped the chain and handed it over. Jemima studied the ornate engravings on the ring.

"This is really quite exquisite," Jemima finally said.

"I'm really glad you think so, Jem," Katie said happily.

Jemima reluctantly handed it back. "Take care of that ring."

"I will," Katie said putting it back around her neck. "It's very important to me."

Jemima kept her eyes on it for a few more moments before turning her attention to Tristan.

Katie looked over at the Gryffindor table and caught her sister's eye. She gave a little wave.

Ashley smiled back at her sister.

"I really do like her streaks," Brittany said following Ashley's gaze. "I wonder how my hair would look with red streaks..."

"Here we go," Zander groaned.

Ashley laughed. "Zander...”

"I think I'd look great," Brittany replied.

"My parents actually told me if I wanted red streaks I could get them," Ashley said.

"You're not going to do it are you?" Zander asked.

"Probably not," Ashley said. "I like my hair the way it is."

"I do too," Zander said smiling at her.

"Thanks," Ashley said as Celia joined them.

"Good morning," Celia said. "I hope you don't mind me sitting here. I know I'm not in Gryffindor..."

"I don't mind," Zander said, kissing her on the cheek.

Celia grinned. "Thanks."

"So," Brittany said coyly. "Have you heard from James, Ash?"

Ashley blushed. "Yes."

"What did he say?" Brittany asked.

"He just wanted me to have a safe trip back to Hogwarts and that he'd write to me," Ashley told her.

"After that snog you two had on New Year's I'd think it would be juicier than that," Brittany said.

Zander glared at his cousin. "Brit, stop that."

"What?" Brittany asked. "They fancy each other. Just like you and Celia."

"They don't fancy each other," Zander replied. "I mean, the bloke lives all the way in France."

"Well," Brittany said. "Ashley, do you fancy James?"

"I fancy my art," Ashley said. "That's the most important thing in my life right now."

"See?" Zander asked his cousin.

Brittany stuck her tongue out at him.

"I guess I do fancy him a little bit," Ashley confessed. "It does help that he's far away and we can write."

Zander stabbed his fork into a waffle.

"It's not that big a deal," Ashley murmured.

"It is," Brittany argued.

"Look, my art and school are the most important things right now," Ashley said. "When I feel ready, I'll make time for blokes too."

"I'll back off," Brittany said holding up her hands. "But, I think you can have both in your life."

"When I'm ready," Ashley told her.

"Yeah, yeah," Brittany said waving her hand dismissively.

Ashley shook her head and returned to her breakfast.

"Zander, I'm really looking forward to your match next weekend," Celia said.

"I just hope we win," Zander said fervently. "We've been practising really hard."

“Slytherin doesn't have a chance," Celia said loyally.

Zander smiled at her. "You'll be cheering me on, right?"

Celia smiled back at him. "Of course."

Brittany pulled her Divination textbook out of her bag. "I cannot wait to get started on this term."

Zander rolled his eyes. "Brit, that stuff is rubbish. Ash and me are at least taking something that we will actually be able to use."

"You don't have to like it but I believe in it," Brittany said defensively.

"You would," Zander teased.

"Zander stop teasing her," Ashley said.

"It's like breathing," Zander said finishing his cup of tea.

Brittany reached for the cup. "Well, let me just see what the tea leaves say for you, Ye of Little Faith."

"Rubbish," Zander muttered. "Some soaked up tea leaves aren't going to predict my future."

Brittany looked inside the cup and studied the shape of the leaves. "Ooooh..."

Zander rolled his eyes.

Brittany looked at her book to confirm what she saw and what it meant. "Okay---see how the leaves look like a broken necklace? That means that there is danger ahead for your love life."

"Uh oh," Evan laughed, looking between Zander and Celia. "Trouble on the horizon."

"Rubbish," Zander said dismissively.

"And here... the crescent moon..." Brittany looked at her book. "Tonight should bring a new arrival for you..."

"A new arrival of what?" Zander asked.

"Um..." Brittany consulted her book. "Just... something new."

Zander rolled his eyes. "Whatever."

"She's just learning," Ashley said in Brittany's defence. "Come on Zander, be a sport."

"Can I read yours?" Brittany asked, reaching for Ashley's cup.

"Sure," Ashley replied. "I'm sure it's not that interesting..."

"What does it say, Brit?" Evan asked.

"It says Ashley will discover something new," Brittany reported. "Or is discovering something new."

"James," Celia said in a sing-song voice.

Ashley blushed deeply.

Brittany smiled. "So what do you think now, Zander? Still think it's rubbish?"

"Yes," Zander snapped.

Ashley laughed as she gathered her belongings. "Come on, Zander. We'll be late for Ancient Runes."

Zander nodded and said a quick goodbye to Celia before setting off with Ashley for class.

"That was really total rubbish back there," Zander said. "All that nonsense about that bloke James..."

"Well," Ashley grinned at him. "You just wait and see if you receive something tonight and then we'll talk. You're supposed to find a new arrival."

"Yeah right," Zander rolled his eyes. "Ridiculous nonsense."

"You just love giving your cousin a hard time," Ashley nudged him.

"What I live for," he said dryly.

Ashley laughed. "She says the same thing."

"Did you understand those problems in the homework we got over Christmas hols?" Zander asked her.

Ashley nodded. "Most of them. Except for those last five. Did you get those?"

"No," he admitted sheepishly.

"Maybe we can compare answers," Ashley said. "We're a good team."

"Okay," he agreed. "We'd better hurry."

Ashley and Zander made their way into the classroom and sat at their usual table.

"Okay," Ashley opened her book. "This one was really difficult but I think we can get it. I really hate to turn my homework in unfinished."

A couple of the Slytherin boys came into the room.

"Murray," Sebastian Delaney said with a sneer. "Are you ready for the arse kicking you and the other Gryffindorks are going to receive next weekend?"

"We're going to cream you lot," Zander replied.

Sebastian laughed. "Right, with that second-hand broom of yours?"

"You lot don't know anything," Ashley said. "It just so happens, Zander got the SideWinder 10000 for Christmas."

The two Slytherin boys gaped at her. "No way."

Ashley smiled smugly but Zander looked at her worriedly. He hadn't gotten a SideWinder 10000 for Christmas- the broom wasn't even due out on the market for another month.

"So, you'd better practise," Ashley told them.

The two Slytherins stumbled away, talking frantically between themselves.

"Um, Ashley," Zander said in a hushed voice.

"I'll take care of it," she whispered.

Zander raised an eyebrow. "How?"

"You trust me, right?" Ashley asked, pulling a piece of parchment out of her bag.

"Of course," Zander replied.

"My grandfather got one for Christmas," Ashley confided. "I'll ask him if you can borrow it."

"Ash, I couldn't ask---" Zander started to say.

"If he won't borrow it, we'll figure something else out." Ashley said. "He's really generous and if it's just for one game..."

"You don't have to," Zander told her.

"I want to," Ashley told him firmly. "I'll take this to the owlery after class."

Zander smiled at her. "You're the best. You know that?"

"Oh I try," Ashley joked, tucking the letter into her bag.

Zander instinctively reached for her hand and gave it a squeeze. "Thanks."

"You're my best friend," Ashley said. "And I want to see you beat the trousers off that lot."

Zander grinned. "With that broom, I'm sure we will."

"You could do it without the broom," Ashley said loyally.

"I don't know about that," Zander said suddenly realising he was still holding her hand. "Um---we should get back to work on those problems."

"Right," Ashley replied.

Sebastian nudged his friend. "Murray and Malfoy sure look cosy."

"What else is new?" Martin Donough smirked.

"Celia never mentioned anything about him having a SideWinder," Sebastian said.

"Maybe she didn't know," Martin shrugged.

Sebastian yanked his textbook out of his bag. "She said she knew everything there was to know about him."

"Well what do you want me to say?" Martin asked, annoyed. "This was your idea you know."

"Should have known better than to trust a Hufflepuff," Sebastian said. "But, I mean, Murray's so stupid, he even let her watch him practise. We know most of their plays, mate."

"Then there's no way they can win even if he's got a Sidewinder," Martin replied.

"And they can't find out that we know," Sebastian said. He looked over at Zander. "Would you look at him? All smug..."

"We'll wipe the grass with him," Martin said disdainfully.

"Yes, we will," Sebastian said smirking in Zander's direction.

After class was over Ashley and Zander hurried up to the Owlery to post the letter to Harry.

"You know if your grandfather can't do it, it's okay," Zander reassured his friend. "I mean, it's the SideWinder. If I owned one, I'd never let anyone breathe on it, let alone borrow it."

"I hope he will," Ashley said. "He's got loads of racing brooms..."

Zander looked at her. 'Ash, we're not going to tell Brit about this, are we? I mean, this could be the 'arrival' she foresaw in my tea leaves and I never, ever want to admit she's right."

Ashley laughed. "She might figure it out on her own, Zander."

Zander watched as Ashley and Katie's owl, Ophelia, flew over to her. Ashley smiled at her owl. "How are you doing, girl?"

Ophelia nipped at her finger gently before settling down on the perch and allowing Ashley to tie the letter to her leg.

"Take this to Grandpa," Ashley said to her owl.

"I guess we'll find out tonight," Zander watched the owl fly away.

Ashley nodded. "Grandpa wouldn't let us down, Zander. I know it."

"Hopefully," Zander replied. "Come on, we've got Care of Magical Creatures in ten minutes."

Ashley could not wait to see Hagrid and see how his holidays were. She followed Zander downstairs and they met up with Brittany and Evan along the way.

"Where's your better half?" Evan teased Zander.

Zander shrugged. "I suppose she'll be along. She had Potions first thing this morning."

"Ugh," Brittany said. "That's not a face I'd want to see right after breakfast."

Ashley laughed. "Brit!"

"You're the only one he likes," Brittany said.

Ashley tossed her hair. "Well, that's because I'm fabulous, of course."

Brittany laughed and took Ashley's arm. "I have to tell you about my Divination lesson today."

"Oh yeah?" Ashley asked. "What happened?"

"I was right when I predicted what moon would be in the same orbit as the outer planets tonight," Brittany said. "I'm getting so good at this stuff."

"That's great, Brit," Ashley said sincerely.

Zander snorted. "Did you see Uranus?"

Brittany looked over her shoulder at her cousin. "How old are you?"

"Older than you," Zander returned.

Brittany rolled her eyes.

"You two," Ashley shook her head.

"That joke is older than our great-grandfather," Brittany told her cousin. "Uranus. Honestly."

Zander began laughing again. "Did you look at Uranus with Trelawney?"
Evan could not help laughing at this while Ashley tried to stifle her own giggle.

"Oh, you're all just so funny," Brittany said, annoyed.

"We're sorry, Brit," Ashley said, nudging Zander.

"You are," Zander said. "I'm not."

Ashley took Zander's arm and led him ahead of Evan and Brittany.

"Come on, Ash," Zander said. "You thought it was funny."

"It was," Ashley agreed. "But you know she's sensitive."

Zander nodded and was about to say something when he spotted a strange looking creature standing in front of Hagrid's hut.

"Hippogriff," Ashley whispered, a slow smile spreading across her face.

"Wow..." Zander said, impressed.

"Come on!" Ashley said excitedly.

"Wow!" Brittany squealed, also catching sight of the creature. "Hagrid!"

"Easy, you lot," Hagrid cautioned them.

Ashley stopped short and stared at the beautiful hippogriff. "Hagrid is this Buckbeak?"

Hagrid nodded proudly.

"My grandpa rode on you," Ashley said softly.

"How old is he?" Evan asked, causing his friends to laugh.

"Beaky's the oldest hippogriff in existence," Hagrid said proudly.

Fang Junior barked pitifully as he watched Hagrid with the hippogriff. Hagrid sighed. "I should put him inside, but I don't want to leave Buckbeak."

"I can put him inside for you," Ashley offered.

"Thank you," Hagrid beamed at her.

Ashley walked over to the dog and petted him. "Come on, Fang. Let's get you inside."

The enormous dog licked at her hand. "Fang," she laughed.

Ashley was still laughing as she led Fang toward the hut. She was about to enter the house when she heard a familiar voice in the distance. She would have ignored it, but she heard Zander's name mentioned.

"I've done everything you asked!" Celia hissed. "And I don't have time for this! Class is about to start, Sebastian!"

"And you better find out if he's really got a SideWinder," Sebastian snapped.

"I don't even know what that is!" Celia exclaimed. "A broom's a broom, right?"

Sebastian snorted. "No wonder you're in Hufflepuff."

"It didn't stop you from fancying me, did it?" Celia asked angrily.

"Good thing you're cute," Sebastian pulled her to him roughly.

Ashley's jaw dropped as she watched the two of them kiss. How could Celia do this to Zander?

She blindly put Fang into the hut and shut the door. How on earth was she going to tell Zander about this?

Celia stepped out from behind the hut and made a beeline for Zander. Ashley never would have guessed Celia could do something so cruel.

Zander's face lit up when he saw her. "Hiya, Celia."

"Hi," she smiled at him. "I missed you during first class."

"Me too," Zander said, reaching for her hand.

Ashley bit her lower lip and turned away from them. "Brit," she said. "I need to talk to you."

"Oh?" Brittany asked. "About what?"

"About Celia--" Ashley began.

Brittany raised an eyebrow. She led Ashley away from the boys and Celia. "What about her?"

Ashley told her what she'd overheard. "She's faking him out."

Brittany looked over her shoulder at the Hufflepuff girl. "Celia?"

"Yeah," Ashley answered quietly.

"I wouldn't have thought she'd have it in her and for Sebastian of all people!" Brittany said shaking her head.

"I know," Ashley said. "How do we tell him?"

Brittany shrugged. "I'm not sure, but we have to tell him soon. That match is next weekend!"

Ashley nodded. "I'll talk to him after class."

"Look at her," Brittany said disdainfully. "Hanging all over him."

"I can't believe she fooled us all," Ashley said angrily.

"Karma," Brittany said taking Ashley's hand. "Karma."

"Yeah," Ashley said glumly.

Celia smiled sweetly at the two girls. "I was just telling Zander how cool it would be to ride the hippogriff."

"My grandfather did," Ashley said coolly.

"You know Harry Potter, right, Celia?" Brittany asked. "Loyal. Brave. Trustworthy."

"I've never met him," Celia said.

Brittany glared at her. "Right."

"Hey come on," Zander said to Celia. "Hagrid's about to start."

Celia nodded. "Let's go near the front."

"I'd like to rip her hair out," Brittany said darkly.

"Me too," Ashley whispered. She saw Sebastian and his Slytherin cronies in the back.

She hoped desperately that her grandfather would allow Zander to use his broom for the match. That would show Celia and those Slytherin jerks a thing or two.

Hagrid started his lecture about Buckbeak and Ashley tried to pay attention.

"Now, I'd like two volunteers," Hagrid said. "Ashley...and Zander. Come on up here. Remember what I told you. Approach slowly."

Ashley nodded, approaching and keeping her eyes level with Buckbeak's. She remembered reading about hippogriff's liking eye contact.

Zander mirrored Ashley's movements.

Hagrid nodded encouragingly. "Okay, now bow..."

Ashley did as Hagrid instructed and was delighted when the creature bent its legs.

Zander grinned.

"Ashley, Zander, would you like to ride Beaky?" Hagrid asked them.

"Yes!" Ashley said excitedly.

Zander nodded. "Wicked."

Sebastian cackled from the crowd. "Malfoy, you're taking your life in your hands."

"Enough of that," Hagrid said sternly. "This is serious business, with a hippogriff."

Ashley got on the hippogriff first and Zander sat down in front of her.

"Ashley, hold on to Zander now," Hagrid instructed. "In just a moment, I'm going to give Beaky the go-ahead."

Ashley wrapped her arms around Zander's middle. "Don't let go," she joked.

"No worries," Zander told her.

"Go ahead, Beaky," Hagrid touched the creature's neck.

Ashley's breath caught in her throat as the hippogriff took to the sky.

"Whoa!" Zander shouted.

Ashley laughed and rested her chin on Zander's shoulder. "This is awesome!" she called out to him.

"I like a broom better," he said loudly. "But this is pretty incredible!"

Ashley couldn't have agreed more. She hadn't flown much on a broom, but this was exhilarating. The wind was blowing through her hair and she felt...free.

Buckbeak took a sharp turn downward and both of them laughed happily.

"He's showing off now," Ashley called out to Zander.

"But this is fantastic!" Zander said as the creature headed back for the hut.

Ashley held on tightly to Zander.

Buckbeak came to a bit of a rough landing, jarring them both. "That was FUN!" Zander said enthusiastically.

"I want a go," Brittany pouted.

"Perhaps later in the lesson," Hagrid told her.

Evan put an arm around his girlfriend. "C'mon, Brit."

Hagrid showed them a few other creatures, but Ashley couldn't really concentrate. She kept looking back at Celia and Sebastian.

"Everything okay?" Zander whispered.

Ashley just shrugged. "Not really... I need to talk to you alone after class."

Zander nodded. They had their morning break after this class and he and Ashley would have plenty of time to talk.

After Brittany had gotten her chance to fly on Buckbeak with Evan, she cornered Ashley. "Are you going to tell him?" she asked.

Ashley was not sure how she would tell him, but he had a right to know what Celia was doing to him behind his back. What kind of friend would she be if she kept quiet about this and stood back while Celia and Sebastian played this out? "Yes, I'm going to talk to him right now."

"Want me to go with you?" Brittany offered.

Ashley shook her head. "Probably be best if I did it on my own."

Brittany nodded, uncharacteristically sober. "I'll back you up if he says anything... and I promise to be nice the rest of the day."

Ashley smiled. "Thanks, Brit. I'll catch up to you later."

She went over to her other best friend. "Hey," she said to Zander. "Um... I overheard something earlier that I think you need to know about."

Zander slung his school bag over his shoulder. "Brit and Evan? Ash, don't tell me..."

"No," Ashley shook her head. "They weren't even there. I heard Ce--"

"Hi!" Celia exclaimed running over to join them.

"Hey Cel," Zander grinned at her.

"That class was so great, wasn't it?" Celia gushed.

For the first time, Ashley noticed that the smile on Celia's face seemed fake. Her eyes were blank as if she were playing a part. She was, Ashley thought angrily.

"Yeah," Zander nodded. "I can't believe I got to ride a hippogriff!"

Celia linked her arm in his. "I bet it's just as much fun as your broom. What kind was it again?"

"Uh..." Zander looked at Ashley, who shook her head slightly. "Let's not talk about brooms, Cel."

"Actually," Ashley said to Celia. "I was hoping for a word with Zander...alone."

"But Zander promised to walk me back up to the castle," Celia pouted.

Zander looked at his best friend. "Um, Cel, Ash asked me right before class ended. I'll catch up to you before next class. I promise."

"But you promised me right before class started," Celia insisted.

Ashley sighed. "Celia, I promise I won't keep him long."

Celia cast her frustrated look. "He's my boyfriend now, Ashley."

Ashley felt the anger rising in her. "I know that, Celia. "

"It's okay," Zander looked back and forth between them. "Ash... I will catch up to you at lunch, okay?"

Ashley nodded reluctantly. "Fine."

Brittany looked anxiously at her when Ashley came back over. "Well?"

"That----Celia!" Ashley muttered. She sank down on the bench beside her friend and told her how Celia had

Interrupted their conversation.

"Maybe she knows you overheard," Brittany replied. "We'll talk to him at lunch and he'll dump her so fast her head will spin."

"He really fancies her," Ashley said quietly.

"I know," Brittany said, biting her lower lip.

On the castle front steps, Zander was sharing a muffin with Celia.

"You're going to be so great next weekend," Celia was telling him.

"I hope so," Zander replied. "We've really been working hard."

"I enjoyed watching your practices," Celia said handing him the rest of the muffin.

"I liked having you there," Zander grinned at her.

"I'm just glad no one minded," Celia said leaning against him.

"It wouldn't have mattered," Zander told her, putting his arm around her.

"I don't know anything about Quidditch anyway," Celia said.

"I'll tell you what you need to know," Zander offered. "It's only the best sport in the world."

"With the cutest boys," Celia said smiling at him.

Zander grinned at her and gave her a kiss.

"The Slytherins don't stand a chance against you," Celia said.

"I think we're going to cream them," Zander said confidently.

"And we can celebrate afterwards," Celia said smiling at him. She wasn't thinking about celebrating with Zander, though. She couldn't wait to have some alone time with Sebastian.

"Definitely," he said, squeezing her hand.

"Without that Ashley," Celia said. "She's so mean to me."

"Ashley likes you just fine," Zander said, confused. "I thought you two were friends."

"So did I, but I think she's jealous of me," Celia said.

"She has no reason to be," Zander told her.

"Really?" Celia asked sweetly.

Zander shook his head. "You're both great... and I'm glad you're my girlfriend."

"Me too," Celia said squeezing his hand.

"Come on," Zander said. "I'll walk you to class."

Celia caught Sebastian's eye and gave him a wink while Zander was occupied picking up her books.

Sebastian grinned nastily. "I bet you Malfoy made it up that he has a SideWinder," he said to Martin.

"You think?" Martin asked. He was the Seeker for the Slytherin team.

"He's pathetic," Sebastian replied.

Martin chuckled. "He sure looks cosy with your girl."

Sebastian scowled. "It's an act."

"She's quite crafty for a Hufflepuff," Martin commented.

"She should have been with us," Sebastian replied as a few other people joined them. "Hey Jemima."

Jemima smiled sweetly at him. "Hiya, Seb."

Even though he was with Celia, Sebastian couldn't help but admire the black haired girl. "What's up?"

"Oh, nothing much," Jemima said taking out the chain from around her neck. "You like?"

"Where'd you get that?" Sebastian asked, looking at the ring.

Jemima grinned. "It was a present. Gorgeous, isn't it? That's a real emerald too."

"It's cool," Sebastian shrugged. "It's just a ring."

Jemima swatted at him playfully. "This is not just a ring. This is a Malfoy family heirloom."

"Then why do you have it?" Martin asked with a smirk.

"I told you," Jemima said. "It was a gift. Mummy loves shopping at estate sales and she found it on one of her trips."

Sebastian shrugged. "Good for you, then."

"Does your little minion know you're carrying around her family's ring?" Martin asked.

"Don't worry about that," Jemima said icily.

Martin held up his hands. "Whatever you say, Jem."

Jemima tucked the ring and chain back under her jumper. She'd seen Katie take it off to show someone else in the library and the other girl had set it down. She'd had Piper go in and distract Katie while she took the ring for herself.

It wasn't as if Katherine knew the importance of such a ring. That girl was loyal to her Mudblood grandmother, for Merlin's sake.

Now the ring was hers, and she wasn't about to let it go.

"Just make sure you're at the match next weekend," Sebastian told her. "It's going to be explosive."

"Where else would I be?" Jemima asked. "I can't wait to see you lot take Gryffindor down."

"Party in the common room afterwards," Martin told her.

Jemima smiled. "I'll be there."

As it happened, Ashley wasn't able to have a word with Zander until after dinner that evening. She'd been reading in the common room when Corinne had come downstairs to tell her there was a delivery on her bed. Ashley rushed upstairs and was delighted to see the broom, carefully wrapped. Ashley pulled off the envelope and read the letter from her grandfather.

He had agreed to loan Zander the broom for the match against Slytherin. Harry had included a letter to Zander as well; Ashley supposed it was a pep talk about the match. There was also another envelope- this one a letter to her from James.

Ashley smiled as she opened the letter.

In it, James went on about how much he had enjoyed their evening together on New Year's and how glad he was that she'd written to him so quickly.

He closed the letter by asking if she was going to be home for Easter hols and, if so, that he would like to see her.

Ashley smiled and reached for her quill to jot him off a quick reply. She did want to see James again, very much.

Corinne came back into the room and smiled at her roommate. "Zander and Brit are downstairs if you want to join them."

"Okay," Ashley said, putting the broom into her trunk and locking it. "Thanks Cori."

Zander and Brittany were sitting on one of the sofas by the fireplace.

Ashley suddenly remembered Celia and she frowned. She didn't look forward to telling Zander about this.

Zander looked up from his homework when he saw her approach. "Hiya, Ash."

"Hey," she said softly. "I still need to talk to you--" she was interrupted when Brittany saw James's letter in her hand.

"Ashley Beth Malfoy!" Brittany squealed. "What do you have there?"

"Oh," Ashley blushed. "It's just a letter from James."

"What did it say?" Brittany demanded.

"Just that he really had a good time on New Year's Eve and that he wants to see me on Easter hols," Ashley said.

Zander cleared his throat. "Ash, what was it you wanted to talk to me about?"

"Oh right," Ashley said nervously. "Um... earlier today, when we were down at Hagrid's, I overheard Celia talking with Sebastian, that bloke from Slytherin."

Zander shook his head. "That bloke is really getting on my nerves. He's trying to get under my skin because of the match next weekend."

"Well..." Ashley began but Brittany, who had been paying no attention to their conversation as she read James's letter, squealed loudly.

Zander glared at Brittany. "Brit--would you please?"

"Well SORRY," Brittany said. "But James sounds positively over the MOON for you, Ash!"

Ashley blushed. "Brit..."

"He does!" Brittany said. "He goes on about how good a kisser you were--"

Ashley looked at Brittany. "Brit, would you mind giving Zander and me a moment? I really need to talk to him."

"Oh..." Brittany caught on. "Right."

Brittany patted her cousin on the shoulder and Zander shot her a confused look. "What was that for?"

"She sort of knows what I have to tell you," Ashley took a deep breath. "I overheard Celia with Sebastian. They're together, Zander. Celia's only using you so Slytherin knows your plays for the match next weekend."

Zander studied his friend for a moment before he started to laugh. "Ash, come on. Celia and Sebastian. Are you having me on?"

"I wish I was," Ashley bit her lower lip.

Zander defiantly shook his head. "No. There's no way."

"Zander..." Ashley said, stunned that he didn't believe her. "I'm telling you the truth."

"Why are you doing this?" Zander asked her angrily.

"You're my best friend," Ashley said, drawing back a bit. "I thought you needed to know."

"I thought you were my best friend," Zander said. "But---this. I can't believe you would do something like this. I finally find someone who likes me and actually wants to be with me and you want to ruin it because of your stupid bloke. You were the one who said you didn't want to date. Your parents said you were too young to date! But, I guess that doesn't apply to cheesy French blokes, does it?"

"I'm not dating James," Ashley said.

"You could have fooled me," Zander said throwing his book aside.

"What does James have to do with any of this?" Ashley asked. "If Evan was two timing Brittany I'd tell her as well."

A couple of first-years who were seated nearby turned their heads to look at them.

"Mind your own business," Zander told them furiously.

The first years quickly grabbed their books and headed upstairs.

"Zander," Ashley shook her head. "What's come over you?"

"Me?" Zander asked. "I could ask the same of you."

"I'm just telling you something I thought was important," Ashley said.

"Celia doesn't even know Sebastian, Ashley," Zander argued. "And she doesn't know the first thing about Quidditch.”

"Do you know that for sure?" Ashley asked.

Zander nodded. "I trust Celia."

"And you don't trust me," Ashley said in disbelief.

"Well, you lied to me, she hasn't," Zander said.

"How did I lie to you?" Ashley asked, her voice rising.

"You didn't want to get involved with anyone," Zander reminded her. "Remember?"

"And I just told you, I'm not dating James," Ashley said. "My parents would never allow it."

"Right," Zander scoffed.

Ashley shook her head. "What is wrong with you?"

"Nothing," Zander grabbed his book. "Good night, Ashley."

"Zander!" Ashley exclaimed.

Zander did not turn around and stalked upstairs to his room.

"What happened?" Brittany asked.

Ashley told her friend about the conversation and subsequent argument. She was still in shock that he would not believe her about something like this.

"What is his deal?" Brittany asked.

Ashley shook her head. "I don't know, Brit. He was just so angry with me."

"I'll talk to him," Brittany promised.

"I don't know what good it would do," Ashley said thoughtfully.

"It's got to do something," Brittany said. "I probably shouldn't have made such a big deal over your letter from James, but I couldn't help myself."

"Letter..." Ashley groaned. She had forgotten about her grandfather's letter to Zander and the broom.

Ashley unlocked her trunk and pulled out the broom and her grandfather's letter. "I-I'll be right back."

"What is that?" Brittany asked.

"Don't worry about it," Ashley said before breezing out of the room.

Brittany looked at Corinne. "I don't even know what's going on here."

"Welcome to my world," Corinne said sympathetically. Ashley walked up the small staircase that led to the boys’ dormitory. She knocked. "Zander. Zander, it's me. Come on!"

Evan answered the door. "Zander isn't here, Ash."

"Where is he then?" Ashley asked.

"He said something about going to see Celia," Evan replied.

Ashley frowned. "Look, if he comes back before curfew, could you ask him to stop by my room? Please?"

"Sure," Evan told her. "No problem, Ash."

Ashley nodded. "It's important, Evan. Please."

"I promise," he nodded.

Ashley headed back to her dorm feeling about as low as she could remember ever feeling. She and Zander very rarely fought.

"What is that?" Brittany nodded to the broom when Ashley returned to the dormitory.

"It's a SideWinder broom," Ashley said setting it back in her trunk. She told Brittany about what she had told Sebastian and Martin in class. "I asked my grandfather to let me borrow it."

"Wow..." Corinne said with wide eyes.

Brittany rolled her eyes. She remembered her cousin drooling over that very broom in the Quidditch magazines. "It pays to be Harry Potter, right? I mean, Zander was upset that it wasn't going to be put on the market until next month."

"I am pretty surprised he's letting him use it," Ashley admitted, locking it in her trunk again. "But my grandfather is really nice about this kind of stuff."

"I'd say so," Corinne commented.

Ashley sighed and sat on the edge of her bed. "He's so mad at me; he probably won't even want to use it."

Brittany snapped her fingers. "We have to get them back, Ash. We have to do something to catch Celia and Sebastian. "

Ashley nodded. "In the act."

Corinne came over. "What if---what if you made it so Zander would catch the two of them together somehow?"

"How do you think I could do that?" Ashley asked.

Corinne thought for a moment. "Well, what if---you sent Celia a note from Sebastian and Sebastian a note from Celia asking them to meet somewhere. Then, you find a way to get Zander to come upon them. He can't argue about something that's right in front of his face, can he?"

"That is an excellent plan," Brittany said.

Corinne beamed at her. "I happen to have those quite a lot, you know."

Brittany ran for some parchment. "Let's write the letters now and we can mail them in the morning."

"That Celia would probably be sickeningly sweet in hers," Corinne said grabbing a quill.

"Probably," Ashley said, leaning on the edge of her bed. "I just can't believe she'd do that to Zander."

"We'll get her," Brittany assured her. "Okay...let's see...”

"Dear Sebastian," Corinne read in a sweet voice very much like Celia's. "I really need to see you as soon as possible."

"Good," Brittany said as she wrote. "We need to talk more about our plan. Meet me tonight at the Owlery at nine."

"Perfect," Ashley said in satisfaction. "I bet Sebastian would be more demanding."

"Absolutely," Corinne agreed.

"Celia," Brittany said. "We have to talk about our plan. Be in the Owlery at nine tonight and don't be late."

"Perfect," Ashley said.

"It'll all be okay, Ash." Brittany told her.

"You think?" Ashley asked. "I don't want him hurt again."

"Once he finds this out I think he'll wise up," Brittany replied.

Ashley nodded. "Right."

Brittany looked carefully at her friend. "You don't still fancy him do you, Ash?"

"Not like before," Ashley admitted after a few moments. "But he's my best friend and I'd do anything for him."

Brittany nodded. "I think maybe he's a little jealous of James."

"James and I aren't dating," Ashley said. "I told him that."

"But you still fancy James a bit," Brittany pointed out.

Ashley blushed. "Brit, I just met him."

"But he's super gorgeous," Brittany pressed. "And you two snogged on New Year's."

"Yes," Ashley admitted. "He is, but I'm just going to take this slow. Right now, I need to concentrate on my art."

Brittany laughed. "I think you'll only be able to use that excuse for another year or so."

"Right," Ashley said throwing a pillow at her.

Brittany giggled. "You know I speak the truth!"

Ashley laughed. "Cori, what are we going to do with Brit?"

"I think she's right,” Corinne replied with a grin.

"I do like James," Ashley told them. "Happy now?"

"Yes," Brittany and Corinne chorused.

There was a gentle knock on the door.

Ashley's eyes widened. "Maybe that's Zander."

"You want me to get it?" Corinne asked.

"Sure," Ashley went back in her trunk for the letter.

Corinne opened the door. "Hi."

Evan was standing there. "Um... I just came... Zander told me to tell Ashley he doesn't want to talk to her."

Ashley came up behind Corinne. "He---he really said that?"

Evan nodded. "He wasn't going to come at all- or let you know, but I wanted to tell you."

Ashley could not believe he did not believe her and did not want to talk to her. "Oh--well, thanks, Evan."

Evan nodded. "I'll see you lot in the morning... night Brit."

Brittany gave him a slight smile before Corinne closed the door. "Ash--" she started to say.

Ashley threw the letter back in her trunk and slammed the lid down.

"He'll come around," Brittany said.

"I don't care," Ashley said angrily.

"Yes you do," Brittany said putting a hand on her friend's shoulders. "That's why you're so mad right now."

Ashley shook her head. "He can go believe Celia until we're done with school for all I care."

Brittany knew better than that, but she did not argue with Ashley.

Ashley flopped down on her bed. "I don't get this," she muttered.

"I do," Brittany said thoughtfully. "He fancied you---and still does---if you want my opinion. That didn't work out so well and there's this girl who says the right things and seems to worship the ground he walks on..."

"He doesn't fancy me anymore," Ashley said. "I don't feel for him like that anymore."

Brittany waved her hand dismissively. "Whatever. All that matters now is getting him to see what snake that Celia is."

Ashley shrugged. "Whatever," she said. "I'm not going to worry about it now. I have a letter to write to James."

In the boys' dormitory, Zander was trying to concentrate on his homework, but he was still thinking about his argument with Ashley. She was wrong about Celia.

He'd gone down to see her, but he'd been unable to bring anything up about what Ashley had claimed to overhear.

Why was Ashley doing this to him?

She had James now- why was he not allowed to have anyone.

What Ashley had told him did not make any sense. Celia knew very little about Quidditch and Slytherins like Sebastian were not friends with sweet girls like her.

He sighed and pushed his homework away. He couldn't concentrate on this stuff.

"Alright, Zander?" Evan asked.

He shrugged. "Not really."

"What's going on?" Evan asked.

"Nothing," Zander grumbled.

"Anytime someone says 'nothing', it's always something," Evan said dryly.

"Just girl stuff," Zander muttered. "I don't want to get into it now."

Evan nodded. He figured Brit would tell him what he wanted to know tomorrow.

"You have a lover's quarrel with Malfoy?" Sam smirked.

"Shut it, Sam," Zander told him.

"What are you going to do about it?" Sam sneered.

Evan looked at his friend. "Sam, come on, mate. Drop it. He said he didn't want to talk about it."

Sam shook his head.

"I'm going to bed," Zander said.

"See you later, mate." Evan told him. "It’ll be all right."

Zander did not believe that for a second. Things were definitely not okay and he did not know if they ever world be again where Ashley was concerned.

302. Chapter 302: How Do You Solve a Problem Like Fiona?

Authors’ note: Those of you who like the Hogwarts story can be rest assured that they will be back front and center in next week’s chapter. This week---you get Darla and Liam and a cute scene with Jon, Allie and their children! Enjoy!

Darla pulled the blanket over her son's rocker seat as she carried him into the healer's office. He was due for a checkup and Liam had agreed to see them that day.
Once inside, she smiled as Rafe glanced up at her. "Hi, you." she said softly.

Rafe gazed up at her with a gummy smile.

Darla laughed. "You're a charmer, just like your dad."

"Hello, Darla," the receptionist said warmly. "And Rafe."

"Hi Nicole," Darla said. "How are you?"

"Very well," Nicole said smiling at her. "I'll just let Healer Thornhart know you're here."

"Thank you," Darla said, lifting Rafe out of the seat.

Darla hugged him to her and carried him over to the sofa.

"We're just going to make sure my best boy is all healthy," she said, nuzzling him to her.

An older woman came in the office carrying a suitcase and looking uncertainly around. Darla smiled at the woman. "The receptionist will be right back," she told her.

"Thank you..." the woman replied, still looking a bit uncertain.

Darla watched the woman as she sat down beside her. The older woman smiled as she looked at Rafe. "How old is your son?"

"He'll be a year old in June," Darla replied.

"They grow up so fast," the older woman said wistfully. "I have two sons, myself."

"How old are they?" Darla asked politely.

"My oldest, Conor, is thirty-four," the woman replied. "And my youngest, William, just turned thirty-one."

"Oh," Darla nodded. "That's lovely."

The two women were startled by the door opening and Darla smiled when she saw Liam. He, however, looked like he had seen a ghost.

"William!" the older woman exclaimed rushing toward him.

"William?" Darla echoed.

"She's the only one who can get away with calling me by that," Liam managed as he hugged his mother. "Mum, what are you doing here?"

"Your mum?" Darla asked, shocked.

Fiona Thornhart smiled proudly at her son. "I---I thought I'd visit you and see how you were."

"I'm doing all right," Liam said. "I just... had no idea you were coming."

"I've missed you and Conor so much," she said, tearing up. "And Christmas---well, it wasn't what we all expected."

"Um..." Liam looked over at Darla. "Mum, I've got some patients to see right now..."

"Oh," Fiona said following her son's gaze. "Of course!"

"I can reschedule," Darla offered.

Fiona waved her hand. "You'll do no such thing."

"Um," Liam said. "Darla Feinbach, this is Fiona Thornhart."

"Hello," Darla said, a bit nervously to Liam's mother. "It's lovely to meet you."

Fiona grinned at her. "Pleasure to meet you."

"Mum why don't you just wait in our back area?" Liam asked. "I only have two patients after Darla."

Fiona picked up her suitcase. "Take your time, son."

Liam nodded and ushered them both back.

"And I'll take that from you," Liam said taking her suitcase. "Just---just make yourself at home, Mum."

"I will love, thank you." Fiona replied.

Liam turned to Darla. "Come on then."

Darla carried her son into the exam room. "Your mother seems like a lovely woman," she ventured.

Liam closed the door behind her. "How's Rafe?"

"He's good," Darla said. "Been sleeping through the night and everything."

Liam made some notes on the chart. Rafe cooed happily in his mother's arms.

"Liam?" Darla asked softly. "Are you all right?"

He nodded. "Yes, of course."

"No, you aren't," she said perceptively. "Why are you upset about your mum showing up?"

"I know you too well," Darla pointed out. "I can tell when you're upset."

Liam gingerly took Rafe from her. "And I know my mother well. She was smiling, but it didn't reach her eyes. Something happened with my dad, I imagine."

"I'm sorry," she said.

"No need to apologise," Liam said. He looked down at Rafe. "Okay, buddy. Let's see how you're doing."

Rafe seemed to recognise him and grinned toothlessly.

Liam laughed. "The charmer."

"Yes he is," Darla said, also smiling.

Liam started to run some tests and Darla was again in awe of how great he was with Rafe. She supposed she shouldn't be surprised given he was a healer. "You know, you'll make a good dad someday," she found herself saying.

"I suppose," he shrugged.

"You will," Darla told him.

"It's not something I've really given much thought to," he said.

Darla blushed. She had not meant to say that out loud. "So, how are the plans coming for Saffy's wedding?" Liam asked her conversationally while he checked Rafe's temperature.

"Great," Darla said. "They're both very excited."

"So she's not gone Bridezilla on you?" Liam asked.

Darla laughed. "Hardly."

Liam grinned. "Well, this little guy is going to be teething soon."

"Uh oh," Darla said. "No more sleeping through the night for us then."

"He's just told me he promises not to be too hard on you," Liam teased.

Darla smiled at him. "You talk to him a lot, aye?"

"This little guy will talk your ear off," Liam said. "In fact, he just told me that he wants you to admit that I'm the better poker player."

"Oh he'd never betray his mummy like that," Darla replied. "Nice try."

Liam laughed. "Don't even get him started on those strained peas you've been trying to feed him. He hates those."

Darla swatted his arm

"Very funny, William," Darla teased.

"Hey now," Liam said. "I told you, only mum is allowed to call me that."

"Okay, okay," Darla said.

"Everything looks good," Liam said. "He's healthy as can be."

Darla exhaled in relief. "That's great news. Isn't it, Rafe?"

Rafe cooed at her.

Darla picked him up and gave him a hug. "That's my big boy."

Liam patted her shoulder. "I'll want to see him again in about three months."

Darla nodded. "I think we can pencil you in."

Liam smiled at her. "What else is new with you?"

Darla sighed and shook her head. "Well..."

"What?" Liam asked.

"I sent Hans the divorce papers," Darla confessed.

Liam looked at her. He knew that was a huge step for her. "You did?"

"Just a few days ago," she admitted. "I think it was the hardest thing I've ever done."

"And have you heard from him?" Liam asked

"Not yet," she said. "I'm filing for sole custody, as well. I don't know if he's going to fight me on that one or not."

"Sole custody?" Liam asked. "Wow."

"I can't bear the thought of Rafe living over there," Darla shook her head. "Visitation... I can handle."

Liam nodded. "I can certainly understand that."

"It was just nice to be in here and laugh a little," Darla said.

Liam smiled. "I'm glad to help, Darla. You know that."

"You're a good friend," she nodded. "One of my best friends."

"I feel the same," Liam said softly.

"Thanks," Darla gave him a hug/

Liam laughed. "What are you thanking me for?"

"For everything," Darla said. "But I don't want to keep you from your mother."

Liam nodded. "She's probably redecorated my office by now."

Darla smiled as she collected her son into her arms.

Liam held the door for her and sure enough his mother was chatting with Nicole and Lizzy like they were old friends.

Liam stifled a sigh. "Mum."

"Son," Fiona smiled.

"We can talk back here," Liam said quietly.

Darla walked over to join Lizzy while Rafe led his mother to his office. "Nicole and Elizabeth are so nice," Fiona gushed. "Elizabeth was telling me she has triplets!"

"Aye, she does," Liam nodded. "Keeps her busy."

"Your office is lovely," Fiona said looking around.

"Why are you here?" Liam asked directly.

Fiona's smile faltered. "I told you. I wanted to see my sons."

"When was the last time you wanted to see us?" Liam asked. "Conor hasn’t' been around in ages."

Tears welled up in her eyes. "Your father doesn't like to travel."

"And you don't want to do anything without him," Liam said, trying to keep the sarcasm from his voice.

"William, he's been sacked," Fiona told him.

"Let me guess," Liam said. "He showed up pissed again, didn't he?"

Fiona nodded.

Liam shook his head in disgust.

"Thomas is a good man, deep down," Fiona said defensively.

"I don't know how you can defend him," Liam pointed out. "He's done nothing but hurt you."

Fiona nodded. "I know that. Which is why I'm here. I---I didn't have anywhere else to go."

"What did he do to you?" Liam asked.

Fiona sat down on the sofa and put her head in her hands.

"Mum?" Liam asked.

"He's been awful to me," Fiona admitted. "He was sacked three weeks ago, William. He---said it was my fault and he took it out on me." She saw the look of alarm on her son's face. "No, he didn't hit me. But, his words---"

Liam shook his head. "You can't go back to him this time."

Fiona nodded. "I was hoping to stay with you or Conor until I figure out what to do."

"You can stay with me," Liam nodded.

Fiona hugged her son tightly. "Thank you, son. Thank you so much."

Liam hugged his mother back. Despite his disappointment in her, he did love her.

"I'll see if Lizzy can see my next patient," Liam said. "And I'll see you to my flat."

"Thank you," Fiona smiled at him.

"It'll be okay, Mum," Liam said to her. "I promise."

Fiona followed her son out and saw his partner along with the same redheaded woman who he had seen just before coming into the room with her. She thought she'd remembered him saying something about her before... the name Darla sounded so familiar.

The baby in Darla's arms gave Fiona a toothless smile. Fiona grinned. "That's a handsome boy you have there."

"Thank you," Darla said. "He's the best thing in my life right now."

"Lizzy?" Liam asked his colleague. "Would you mind seeing my next patient? I'm going to get my mother settled in."

"Of course," Lizzy nodded.

"Do you need some help?" Darla asked him.

"I think we're okay," Liam replied.

"Mrs. Thornhart," Darla said. "I was just going to take my son to the park. Would you like to join us? We could even get a bite to eat and then we can come back here and Liam can take you to his place."

"Darla," Liam started to protest.

"Then you could see your patient," Darla interrupted.

Before Liam could answer, Fiona nodded enthusiastically. "If you don't mind, I'd love to."

"Lovely," Darla smiled. "Since it's not too cold, I wanted to get him some fresh air. We won't be gone more than an hour."

Liam walked over to Darla. "You don't have to do this, you know?"

"I want to," Darla told him.

Liam grinned at her. "You're pretty great, you know that?"

"Tell me something I don’t' know," she said. "We'll be back in a bit."

Liam pecked her on the cheek. "Thanks, Darla. I really appreciate it." He looked at Rafe. "Buddy, you look out for these two, okay?"

Rafe grinned at him.

Darla tapped her wand on the carrier and it turned into a pram. Darla gingerly put him inside. "There we are."

"He seems to be a lovely little boy," Fiona said as they set out. "He hasn't made a peep."

Darla nodded. "He is a great little baby. He's been sleeping soundly through the night, but Liam's told me he's going to start teething and my quiet nights are going to come to an end."

"Rub a little whisky on his gums," Fiona advised.

Darla looked at her. "Really?"

"It worked for both my boys." Fiona nodded.

"And they've turned out so well," Darla said. "One's a healer and the other's a banker. I've never met Conor, but Liam's amazing."

"You care for my son," Fiona said.

Darla remembered what had happened at the Ministry ball at New Year's. She and Liam had not discussed it, but it seemed like the big elephant in the room when they were together. "He's one of my best friends."

"I'm glad he's made some good friends," Fiona replied.

Darla smiled. "And now that I have you alone, you can tell me what he was like as a boy."

Fiona laughed. "He was always very curious."

"Was he now?" Darla asked.

"He would often run in with a bug or if he could, some sort of animal or snake, even." Fiona recalled.

Darla laughed. "Ewwwwww."

"One time he found a baby bird and nursed it back to health," Fiona said. "I think he was around ten.

"Awww," Darla said thinking that sounded exactly like something Liam would do.

"He's always had that in him," Fiona said, looking at Rafe who was gazing up at them.

Darla smiled down at her son. "What is it, love?"

"Such a sweet, sweet boy," Fiona said. "So like my Liam."

Darla nodded. "Oh, they're thick as thieves."

"I always thought he would make a good father," Fiona said. "But he's never really been serious with any girl."

Darla did not know why she was relieved by this, but she was.

"I suppose when he's ready he'll find his girl," Fiona said.

Darla did not say anything to this.

They reached the park and Darla pushed the pram to her usual bench and sat down.

Darla told Fiona about the time she and her family had lived in Ireland. "It's such a beautiful place. I didn't really appreciate it when I was a girl, but I do now."

"It's a beautiful country," Fiona agreed. "I don't know how I'm going to leave it behind."

Darla was not aware of what had happened to bring Fiona to London, but she figured it had to do something with Liam's father. "Well, at least you'll be able to visit with your sons."

"If Conor will even see me," Fiona sighed. "I'm sorry, love. I shouldn't be involving you in our family troubles."

"It's okay," Darla reassured her. "I mean, Liam's told me a little about what's been going on."

"I'm glad he's found someone to confide in," Fiona nodded thoughtfully.

"Me too," Darla said softly.

"I'll be staying with Liam for a little while," Fiona said. "Until we figure things out."

"I think that will be great for both of you," Darla said smiling at her.

Fiona nodded. "He's a good boy."

"He loves you very much," Darla said.

"I'm lucky for that," Fiona replied.

"I hope this little guy feels the same," Darla said lifting Rafe out of his pram. "Would you like to hold him?"

"That's okay--" Fiona began.

Darla laughed. "Come on. You know you want to."

"All right," Fiona said with a smile.

Darla handed Rafe over to her. "Ah, you're a natural, Mrs. Thornhart."

"Having two boys, you don't forget how they are," Fiona said with a little laugh.

"That's what my mum says," Darla said. "Except she has six of us to deal with."

"Six?" Fiona asked. "My, my..."

"Josh, Jon, me, my twin sister Drew, Maddie and RJ," Darla told her.

"She must have kept busy with all of you," Fiona said, patting Rafe's back.

Darla nodded. "We kept her and my dad on their toes."

Fiona passed Rafe back to her when he began to fuss. "It sounds like a hungry cry."

Darla nodded. "I have a bottle in my bag. Could you get it for me?"

"Of course," Fiona answered.

Fiona handed the bottle to Darla. "Here you are."

"Thank you," Darla guided the bottle to her son's mouth. Rafe put one little hand up against it.

"Someone was hungry," Fiona smiled.

"He usually is," Darla said. "My family is known for their appetites."

Fiona laughed. "Is that so?"

"My dad and my younger sister are especially known," Darla nodded.

Fiona remembered her son telling her that he was going to spend Christmas with his friend's family. This must have been Darla's family. Of course, she knew her son well. She had seen the way he'd interacted with the red-haired woman.

"It sounds lovely," she said. "Like a family that really cares for one another."

"We definitely do," Darla said softly. "I don't know what I'd do without them."

Fiona smiled sadly. She wished that for her own family.

"Your boys love you," Darla said seemingly reading her mind. "And I think you're incredibly brave."

"Thank you," Fiona said softly.

Darla smiled. She could certainly empathize a little with Fiona Thornhart. It was never easy to make a decision that would seemingly turn your world upside down.

"Well..." Darla said. "We should get back. I imagine Liam's done with his patient by now."

Fiona nodded. "Thank you for today. This was just what I needed."

"I'm glad to have helped," Darla carefully set Rafe back into the pram.

"It was nice to be out in the fresh air," Fiona said.

"It's such a nice day, especially for January," Darla agreed as they headed back to the office.

"Spring is just around the corner," Fiona said looking up at the sky. "That's my favourite season. It always holds such...promise."

Darla nodded thoughtfully. "It's got to be a better year than the last."

"Wasn't a very good year for you, then?" Fiona asked.

"You could say that," Darla answered vaguely. "Aside from Rafe, of course."

Fiona knew that children made it all worthwhile. That was one of the reasons she had stuck it out with Thomas like she had. Perhaps Liam and Conor would have fared better if she had left years ago. There was nothing she could do though to change the past, but for the first time in quite awhile, she felt hopeful.

Meanwhile across town, Jon had taken the day off to look through papers with Allison. With a fourth child on the way, their home simply was not big enough.

"This one has four bedrooms and two and a half baths," Jon said circling another listing. "Caroline and Em would still have to share a room, but I don't think they'd mind."

"Caroline will be going to Hogwarts this fall, too." Allison pointed out. "They'd really only have to share in the summer."

Jon smiled at his wife. "Where did the time go, huh? It seems like just yesterday, I was teaching her how to ride a bike and now she's going off to school."

"I know," Allison said wistfully. "I had a few tears in my eyes when she got her letter on her birthday."

"She's your little shadow," Jon said reaching for her hand. "She reminds me so much of you at that age. She always has."

"Inquisitive," Allison smiled.

"Sweet," Jon said.

"And very sensitive," Allison added wryly.

"Oh, she gets THAT from me," Jon said cheekily.

Allison laughed. "Yeah right."

"I'm very sensitive," Jon said nudging her.

"Sensitive here," Allison poked his side.

Jon laughed. "You got me there."

Allison smiled and turned a page in the paper. "What about this place?"

"What about it?" Jon asked.

"I like the location," Allison said. "It's slightly out of our price range..."

"How much out?" Jon asked.

"About ten thousand above," Allison sighed. "Never mind..."

Jon looked at the listing. "It can't hurt to take a look at it. It says here an estate agent is on duty until four. We can pick up Em and Caroline from school and run over there and check it out. Besides, that price is just a starting point. I'm a good negotiator."

"I guess it couldn't hurt to take a look," Allison agreed.

"Absolutely not," Jon said. He looked down at his son, who was playing with his toy cars. "Right, Adam?"

"Okay," Adam said.

Jon grinned. "Come on, then. Let's get ready, buddy."

"I want to play," Adam protested.

"You can play," Jon said picking him up. "You and I are going to fly upstairs..."

Adam laughed. "FLY ME!"

Jon lifted his son high above his head. "Ready?"

Adam stuck his arms out. "Fly high!"

Jon carried Adam out of the kitchen and Allison laughed as she stood up. Absently, she placed a hand to her stomach. There was a slight bump now.

"Hello little one," Allison said. "We're making all kinds of plans for you."

"A new house," Allison said looking around at the home they'd had for years.

She knew Caroline wouldn't be happy about moving. they had been in this place all her life.

"Allie?" Jon asked. She turned around, startled. He and Adam were watching her.

"Hm?" Allison asked.

"Come on, Mummy," Adam said smiling up at her. "Go get Sissy."

Allison picked her son up. "You are such a good boy."

Adam smiled sweetly at her.

Allison kissed his cheek. "I haven't called the realtor yet," she told Jon.

Jon nodded. "I'll do that."

"Thanks," Allison smoothed Adam's messy red hair.

"Where's the baby?" Adam asked his mother.

"In here," she patted her stomach.

Adam grinned. "Really?"

Allison nodded. "Right in the same place you were."

"Em and Sissy too?" Adam asked.

"That's right," Allison replied.

"Em," Adam frowned.

"Adam Jonathan," Allison said. "Be nice to your sister."

Adam grinned and put his arms around his mother's neck.

"You're just like your daddy," Allison told him.

"Which is a good thing," Jon said as he hung up the phone. "The estate agent said she'd meet us at the house. Let's go and get the girls."

"Great," Allison said, grabbing her cloak.

"Come on, Maxi!" Adam shouted. Max ran toward the little boy, but Jon held up his hand. "He can't go, Adam."

"Why?" Adam asked.

"Because," Jon said picking his son up and placing him on his shoulders. "And he has to guard the house, right?"

"From the monsters," Adam nodded.

The three of them set off for Emma and Caroline's school with Adam talking animatedly to his parents. He enjoyed having them all to himself.

"And then Maxi flew into the sky," Adam finished his story.

"Max did that?" Jon asked looking up at his son who was patting the top of his head. "Ow, mate. Go easy on your dad."

"Ow, mate." Adam said.

Allison stifled a laugh. "He's even starting to sound like you, Jon."

"I want to be just like Daddy," Adam told her.

"Merlin help us," Allison said opening the door to the school. "We can barely put up with one."

"Hey," Jon said with an injured look.

"Only kidding," Allison said pecking him on the cheek.

"Pick up Sissy first," Adam demanded.

"Caroline's classroom is first," Allison said. "Just this way..."

"I want to walk," Adam began squirming.

Jon set him down. "Here you go, mate."

"Sissy!" Adam called, running ahead of them.

Inside her classroom, Caroline heard her little brother. She grabbed her school bag and waved goodbye to her friends. "Adam!"

Adam launched himself at Caroline.

Caroline laughed. "You're getting fast, Adam!"

"I know," Adam said. "New house!"

The smile on Caroline's face fell. "Oh."

"Come on!" Adam tugged at her hand.

Caroline reluctantly followed them. She had heard her parents talk about moving, but she did not realise they were at the point of looking at actual houses. Didn't they care that their home was special? Caroline did not want to think about living anywhere else.

"Hi," Caroline tried to muster some enthusiasm.

"Hi, Angel," Jon said mussing her hair. "How was school?"

"Good," Caroline replied.

"Let's go get Em," Allison said. Emma was not waiting for them, however. She was sitting in her desk, fidgeting. "Emma Madeline, you can't just get up during lessons because you want to," the teacher was telling her.

"I just wanted to dance," Emma pouted.

"There's a time for dancing and there's a time for learning," the teacher said. "You're not getting a gold star today."

"But I want one!" Emma protested. "I'll be good tomorrow, I promise."

"I'm afraid not, Emma," her teacher replied. "If you're good tomorrow, you'll get one. You just have to remember to pay attention."

Jon knocked on the door frame. "Is there something wrong?"

"Mr. Weasley," the teacher said warmly.

"Is my little mermaid misbehaving again?" Jon asked.

Emma shook her head. "No, Daddy."

"I'm afraid we just had a little situation," the teacher said. "Emma decided to show off a few dance moves in the middle of a lesson."

"Ooh!" Adam clapped his hands. "Em in trouble!"

"Adam," Allison said sternly.

Adam shrugged.

"Apologise," Allison told him. "Right now."

Adam looked down at the floor. "Sorry, Em."

"Emma," Jon said warningly. "We talked about this."

Emma nodded. "I'll do better, Daddy. Promise."

"Tell your teacher you're sorry," Jon told her.

"Mrs. Cooper, I'm sorry," Emma said sweetly.

"We'll try again tomorrow, Emma." Mrs. Cooper nodded.

Emma smiled. "Gold star tomorrow."

"I hope so," Mrs. Cooper smiled at her.

Emma grabbed her things and took her mother's hand. "Can we get ice cream now?"

"Perhaps," Allison said. "First, we're going to all go look at a new house."

"Ooooh," Emma said excitedly.

"Why do we have to move?" Caroline asked.

Jon looked down at his oldest daughter. "The house we have now is so small, love. It was fine when it was just us, but with a new baby and Max, we need a bigger space."

"Oh," Caroline said quietly.

"And we just want to take a look at this house," Jon told her.

"We don't have to buy it?" Caroline seemed relieved.

Allison smiled. "You know how you'll go shopping with your Aunt Frankie and she'll tell the shop girl that she's just browsing? That's kind of what we're doing."

Caroline finally smiled. "Okay."

Jon put an arm around her. "But, unlike your Aunt Frankie, we're not going to break the bank."

"Perish the thought," Allison replied.

It only took them a few minutes to walk to the house and Emma and Adam's eyes grew large as they saw the house for the first time. "Wow!" Adam squealed.

"It's so big!" Emma jumped up and down.

Allison and Jon looked at each other and smiled.

The realtor met them at the door and they all looked through the house. Allison thought it would be perfect for their expanding family but was still worried about the cost.

"The backyard is quite large," she told them. "The family that lived here previously left a swing set..."

"A SWING SET?" Emma shrieked, tearing towards the rear of the house.

"Em!" Adam hurried after her.

"Wait just a minute," Jon called, but Emma and Adam were already outside.

The realtor laughed. "I think your children like it, Mrs. Weasley."

"Yes well..." Allison said. "My husband and I need to discuss the cost..."

"Of course," she said. "I'll just be in the kitchen. Take as much time as you need to look around."

"Thank you," Allison said.

Caroline reached for her mother's hand. "Can we look upstairs, Mummy?"

"Sure, sweetheart," Allison agreed.

Jon walked outside to keep an eye on the two younger children while Allison and Caroline toured the upstairs area.

"How many rooms are up here?" Caroline asked.

"Four," Allison told her.

Caroline nodded.

"You'll still share one with Em for awhile," Allison told her. "When you're home from Hogwarts."

Caroline turned away.

"Angel?" Allison asked concernedly.

"I don't want to move, Mummy," Caroline said, wiping at her eyes.

"Why not sweetheart?" Allison smoothed her daughter's hair.

"I love our house," Caroline replied. "I love my room and I love our yard and the seat on the window where I read..."

"I know you love it there," Allison told her. "But there's not enough room for us and the new baby."

Caroline bit her bottom lip. "What if the baby shared a room with Adam? And Em and I can still share?"

"Not if it's a girl, sweetheart," Allison told her. "It's just time we got a bigger place."

Caroline gave her mother a hug.

"It's not the first time you'll move," Allison told her. "And far from the last."

"And I keep thinking about going away to school," Caroline admitted. "I've never been away from home before, Mummy and you'll need me to help you with Adam, Emma and the baby."

Allison laughed. "Caroline, we'll manage, I promise. You'll go to school and learn all sorts of new things."

"And I'll have Katie and Mia," Caroline said softly.

"That's right love." Allison reassured her.

Caroline gave her mother another hug. "This is a really nice house," she admitted.

"I do like it," Allison agreed.

"Which room would Em and I get?" Caroline asked.

Allison grinned. "You pick."

Caroline giggled. "Well, you and Daddy would get the biggest room."

"Naturally," Allison said. "I think this one looks perfect for you two."

Caroline walked inside the room and looked around. The window had a great view of the backyard and Caroline smiled when she saw her little sister twirling. Allison helped Caroline with the window. "Em!" Caroline shouted. "Come up here! I found our room!"

Emma stopped and stumbled a bit. "I'm coming!"

Caroline grinned. "Daddy! Come up with Adam too!"

"Be right there, Angel." Jon called.

A few moments later, Caroline heard Emma coming up the stairs. "Where are you?" Emma called out.

"In here," Caroline replied, poking her head out the door.

"The backyard is so cool!" Emma gushed. "It has a slide and four swings!"

"Wow," Caroline said. "One for each of us."

Emma stepped into the room. "This one is bigger than ours at home, Caroline!"

"I know," Caroline nodded. "We'd get to share it."

"I like it," Emma said to her mother.

"We have some things to discuss," Allison looked at Jon.

"I can watch Adam and Emma," Caroline said.

"Why don't you three go out and try that swing set," Allison told them.

Caroline nodded. "Come on, Em. Adam, I'll push you."

Adam jumped up and ran out the door excitedly.

Emma waved at her parents before following her brother and sister. Jon looked at his wife. "We can't let that lady know how much we like the house. She'd never come down on the price."

"I know," Allison replied. "It's nice, but I'm not prepared to spend that much."

"We'll negotiate," Jon said thoughtfully.

"We'll have to," Allison nodded. "Or we'll have to find another place."

"Do you like it?" Jon asked her.

"So far," Allison admitted. "But I haven't seen the whole thing yet."

"Well," Jon said taking her hand. "Let's take a look..."

Allison liked the kitchen. It was roomier than the one they currently had and it was open to the dining room.

She could see her family sitting around the table, with the newest member of the family sitting in her high chair.

The sitting room was also roomier, with a fireplace tucked against one wall and built in bookshelves on the adjacent wall.

"Lovely, isn't it?" the realtor asked, coming into the room. "The perfect home for a growing family."

"That's what we have," Allison touched her stomach.

Jon looked around the room catching his wife's eye. He winked at Allison before turning to face the realtor. "I suppose its okay. I mean, the paint job isn't that great...and the kitchen isn't as big as what my wife and I are used to."

"Well this kitchen is enhanced with all the things you would need for your family," the realtor said.

"The appliances are a bit out of date," Jon said. "We're a more state-of-the-art kind of family."

"I see," the realtor said. "Well, aside from the full swing set in the back, this place also includes the built in bookcases, gas fireplace--"

"Gas fireplace?" Allison asked looking at Jon.

"We like wood burning, personally," Jon replied. "Have no use for a gas one."

"Oh," the realtor replied. "Um, well, that could be fixed."

"If we were to fix it, how much would you be able to knock off the price of the house?" Jon bargained.

The realtor looked taken aback. "Mr. Weasley, this house is already quite a steal at three-hundred and fifty thousand pounds."

"That's really steep, actually," Jon replied. "We've looked at one with the wood fireplace for around two, ninety."

"Two, ninety?" the woman asked chuckling. "I doubt it was this nice, Mr. Weasley."

"We liked it a lot," Jon looked at his wife. "Didn't we, Al?"

Allison nodded. "In fact, we were going to put in an offer..."

"Well," the realtor said hastily. "Perhaps I can work something out with the current owner. He did say he was looking to sell quickly.

"You have our number," Jon said to her. "Let us know what he says, but we are looking at other places..."

The realtor nodded. "I will be in touch in the next day or so, Mr. Weasley."

Jon shook her hand as did Allison before the two of them walked into the backyard. "Fantastic acting, Mr. Weasley," Allison whispered.

"I did learn from the best," Jon put his arm around her.

"I love this house," Allison said.

"It'll be ours," Jon said confidently.

"You think?" Allison asked.

"Definitely," Jon replied.

"Hold on, Adam," Caroline said giving her brother a push on the swing.

"Kids," Allison called. "Let's go."

Adam looked at Allison. "Wait, Mummy! Watch me go!"

"All right," Allison said with a grin.

"Caroline's 's’posed to push me now!" Emma exclaimed glaring at Adam.

"We'll have to save that for another time," Allison said. "We have to go."

Emma frowned.

"It's not fair," she said, crossing her arms. "Adam got a turn!"

"Okay, but be quick about it," Allison relented.

Emma's frown turned into a grin as she ran back to the swing set.

Caroline followed her. "Okay, Em...get ready."

"Push me HIGH!" Emma squealed.

Caroline giggled. "I will."

"Higher!" Emma squealed.

Allison leaned against her husband. "She has absolutely no fear."

"None," Jon agreed.

Adam toddled over to his father and held up his arms.

"Hiya, buddy," Jon picked him up. "What's up?"

"Fly," Adam told him.

"Not now," Jon told him.

Adam yawned and rested his head on his father's shoulder.

"I guess Adam's too tired for ice cream," Jon joked.

Allison laughed. "Such a shame too..."

"No," Adam said. "Not tired."

Jon grinned. "I thought that might perk you up, mate."

"Mr. Weasley! Mrs. Weasley!" The realtor called after them. She appeared on the back patio and smiled at them. "I just had a quick word with the owner. He would be willing to go down to three-hundred thousand pounds."

"Hmmm..." Jon looked at Allison. Three hundred was exactly what they had been hoping for, but it would still be a stretch.

"Two ninety if you would cover the fireplace replacement yourself," the realtor countered.

Jon grinned broadly. "I think we can manage that."

The realtor's grin matched his. "Fantastic. I'll draw up the papers."

Jon waited until the realtor had gone before letting out a whoop.

"What's going on, Daddy?" Emma and Caroline asked.

"You girls like this place, right?" Jon asked them.

Emma nodded enthusiastically. "Yes!"

"Well..." Jon paused. "It's OURS!"

Emma jumped up and down. "YAY!"

"Well, not just yet," Allison said. "But pretty soon it will be. And you three know what this means?"

"What?" Caroline asked.

"Cleaning rooms, packing up, and getting rid of things you don't want anymore," Allison replied.

Emma started to twirl around again. "I don't want to get rid of nothing!"

"I can probably get rid of some clothes and toys I don't use anymore," Caroline said.

"You can give some of them to your cousins," Allison said putting an arm around her oldest daughter.

"Or us," Emma said mischievously.

"Em!" Caroline giggled.

"I like your dresses," Emma replied.

"I'll let you have some of them, but it'll be awhile before you fit into them," Caroline told her.

"That's okay," Emma replied.

"Okay," Jon said setting Adam down. "Let's go and celebrate with ice cream."

"ICE CREAM!" Adam shouted happily.

Allison looked at Caroline. "You sure you're okay with this, sweetheart?"

Caroline nodded. "It's a nice house."

"I felt the same way when your dad and I moved out of the flat over the shop," Allison recalled. "Everyone thought I was being silly because we were moving into this new house from a very small flat, but it was the first place that had really been ours---together."

"Your first place," Caroline nodded.

"But, you know what?" Allison asked her. "Home isn't always a place, sweetheart. It's your family."

Caroline nodded.

Allison gave her a hug. "I think we'll be happy here."

"Me too," Caroline said. "Em and Adam and the new baby will love it a lot."

Emma fell into step beside them. "I love it already."

Allison ruffled Emma's red hair. "I can tell, baby girl."

Caroline giggled. "Mummy, do you remember when you found out you were having Adam and Emma kept going around saying 'Em still baby'."

Emma laughed. "I was so funny!"

"You're still funny," Allison said fondly.

"Em ate Maxi's food," Adam chimed in.

"No I didn't!" Emma put her little hands on her hips.

"You did," Caroline told her. "You took a bite from his dish once."

"Eww!" Emma wrinkled her nose.

"It was only once," Caroline reassured her. "You spit it out afterwards."

"I like muffins better," Emma decided.

"Me too," Adam agreed.

"And ice cream!" Caroline exclaimed.

"And pizza," Allison said.

"Can we have that for dinner?" Emma brightened.

"Maybe," Allison said. "We'll have to see."

"Or we could run by the pub," Jon said.

Caroline nodded. "That'd be great. Audrey's working!"

"Aunt Audrey," Emma giggled. "Someday!"

Jon came up behind Emma and scooped her up. "Someday, eh?" The red-haired girl giggled.

"Do you know something we don't, baby?" Allison asked her with a grin.

Emma giggled. "No, Mummy! Daddy, put me down!"

"I thought my little Emma liked to fly," Jon said.

Emma nodded. "I do, but it's time to eat!"

Jon laughed. "That it is."

"Is Uncle Josh working, too?" Caroline asked.

"He should be," Jon said, setting Emma down to swing Adam back on his shoulders.

"Adam, do you think Max will like the new house?" Caroline asked her little brother.

Adam nodded. "Can Maxi have his own room?"

Allison looked up at her son from his perch on Jon's shoulders. "Well, I think he's going to have the backyard and we'll set his bed up like we did in our house now."

"Okay," Adam agreed clapping his chubby hands together.

Allison hurried in front of them to get the door. "I'm starving..."

"The baby's starving," Emma sang.

Allison laughed. "That's right, baby girl."

"Is it a boy or a girl?" Emma asked.

"A boy," Adam replied.

"Girl," Emma countered.

"Girl," Caroline agreed.

"No fair," Adam complained.

"I'm with Adam," Jon said grinning up at his son. "We're going to even things out."

"No," Emma shook her head. "We should ask Kiera if it's a girl."

Caroline nodded eagerly. "We should. She would so know."

"Girls, Kiera is just a baby," Allison said. "Granted, a baby with quite an ability, but I don't think she can tell gender."

"Can't hurt to ask," Caroline said thoughtfully.

"Girls," Jon said in the same tone as his wife.

"Hiya, Weasleys," Audrey said coming over to them.

"Aud!" Emma ran over to her.

"Princess Ariel," Audrey knelt down and gave her a hug. "How lovely of you to grace us with your royal presence."

Emma giggled. "We're hungry!"

"You are in the right place," Audrey said.

"Guess what?" Caroline told her. "We got a new house!"

Allison nodded and reached into her bag for the pamphlet that showed pictures of the house. "Jon

's negotiating helped."

"Congratulations!" Audrey exclaimed. "This looks like a beautiful place!"

"We love it," Jon said.

"Swing set!" Adam exclaimed.

Emma started to tell Audrey about the house and Audrey smiled at the little girl's enthusiasm.

Jon disappeared into the back to go see his brother. "Hey, mate." he said when he saw Josh in the office.

Josh looked up in surprise. "What are you doing here?"

"Got some good news," Jon replied. "Al and I just bought a new house."

Josh grinned. "Really?"

"I do have a bit of a favour... well... a really big favour to ask of you though," Jon said.

Josh leaned back in his chair. "What's that?"

"Al and I have to sign on the house tomorrow," Jon said. "But we won't be able to pay until we put ours on the market and sell it..."

Josh nodded.

"I just wondered if you could maybe... just help me out." Jon finished. "Just until we sell our place. I'd pay everything back."

Josh knew how hard this had to be for his brother. "Of course."

Jon grinned at him. "Really?"

Josh laughed. "Yes, why do you act so surprised?"

"It's just a big favour," Jon answered. "A lot of money."

"I know," Josh said. "But, I also know how important this is to you and Allie."

"Especially with number four on the way," Jon replied, pushing his hair back.

"Lizzy and I are happy to help," Josh told him.

"Thanks mate," Jon stuck his hand out.

Josh shook his hand. "No problem."

"The kids are here with Al," Jon said. "I'm sure they'll want to tell you all about the new place."

Josh stood up. "Let's go and see them then."

"Uncle Josh!" Caroline squealed when she caught sight of him.

"Hiya, Caroline," Josh grinned at her. "I hear you lot are moving."

"Mummy and Daddy found us a new house," Caroline told him. "And at first, I didn't want to go, but I think it's going to be really cool."

"I think so too," Josh said.

"Casey, Aidan and Noah will have to come play on our new swing set," Emma said.

"They'll never want to leave," Josh joked.

"Mummy," Adam tugged at her hand. "I'm hungry, 'member?"

Allison nodded. "Yes, what does everyone want to have?"

"A big cheeseburger," Emma replied, rubbing her hands together.

"That sounds good," Jon said.

"Pizza!" Adam said.

"I want pizza too," Caroline said to Allison.

"I suppose you and Adam can split one," Allison said.

"What can I get for you, Allie?" Audrey asked.

"How about some fish and chips?" Allison asked.

Audrey nodded. "Sure."

"And I'll join my little girl in a burger," Jon replied.

Emma grinned at him. "Daddy and me."

"On the house tonight," Josh told Audrey.

Jon looked at his brother. "Josh--"

"I want to," Josh grinned at him.

Jon grinned back. "Thanks, mate.”

Though he and his brother had the occasional disagreement, they had both made an effort to make their partnership work.

Allison squeezed her husband's hand under the table. She knew how much he liked working with his brother now that they were getting along.

Allison squeezed her husband's hand under the table. She knew how much he liked working with his brother now that they were getting along.

"Come on guys," Audrey said to the children. "We have some new games in the back that you have to see." The children eagerly followed Audrey while Josh excused himself to get back to work.

Jon told Allison about what he had asked his brother. "I know it's never a good idea to borrow from family, but we'll pay him back, Al."

"Of course we will," Allison said. "I was going to talk to you about that later."

"He was really great about it actually," Jon said.

"You two have gotten closer," Allison noted.

Jon nodded. "After all these years..."

"Took long enough," she nudged him.

Jon laughed. "I guess I should have listened to you long ago."

"You already know that," Allison replied.

Jon gave her a kiss. "You're always right."

303. Chapter 303 The Ring's the Thing

Authors' note: We want to thank you all for the response to the last chapter. If you were looking for more on the Hogwarts crew, here you go...

It had been nearly three weeks and Katie was still looking for her grandfather's ring. She had looked everywhere in the Slytherin dorm, the library, her classrooms and the Great Hall. It was nowhere to be found and with each day, she found her hope of ever finding it dwindling.

She'd had to keep her search confined to just telling her friends. She didn't want word getting back to her mother about Draco Malfoy putting it in her pocket on Christmas Day.

Since her search had left her empty-handed, she decided to bite the bullet and ask Ashley. She just hoped that her sister would keep her mouth shut where their parents were concerned.

She found her sister in the library sitting with Brittany and Evan. Katie was surprised not to see Zander anywhere- usually wherever Ashley was, he wasn't far away.

"Ashley?" Katie asked approaching their table.

"Hey," Ashley smiled at her sister.

Katie smiled back. "Um, I was wondering if I could talk to you alone---outside."

"Is everything okay?" Ashley asked.

"Just come outside," Katie pleaded.

"All right," Ashley cast a look at Brittany and followed her sister into the corridor.

Katie checked to make sure no one else was around. "Okay," she said turning to face her sister. "You have to promise not to tell mum and dad about this. I mean it, Ashley. Not one word."

Ashley looked alarmed. "Did Jemima do something to you?"

Katie shook her head. "No, of course not. Jem's my friend."

"I don't understand--" Ashley began.

"Do you remember Christmas at the Burrow?" Katie asked, cutting her off.

"What about it?" Ashley asked.

"Do you remember Grandfather Malfoy?" Katie asked.

"How could I forget?" Ashley asked with disgust.

Katie sighed. "Ashley, do you remember what he tried to give me?"

"That ring," Ashley recalled. "And dad said no."

"What if---what if I told you that grandfather gave me that ring anyway?" Katie asked.

Ashley gaped at her. "How?"

"Magic, of course," Katie replied. "It really is gorgeous, Ashley. And don't look at me like that---it's our heritage."

"Not mine," Ashley replied. "I'm done trying to get to know them."

"Just because he didn't like you?" Katie asked.

"Because neither of them are worth it," Ashley said.

Katie figured her sister would understand if she was in Slytherin instead of Gryffindor.

"So what about the ring?" Ashley asked.

"Well, I brought it here," Katie said. "But, I've misplaced it."

"What?" Ashley stared at her. "How do you lose something like that?"

Katie shook her head. "I don't know. I was wearing it on a chain around my neck."

"Well then how did you lose it?" Ashley asked.

"I don't know!" Katie exclaimed. "Ashley, I have to find it! I've looked everywhere."

Despite the subject matter, Ashley felt bad for her sister. This ring obviously meant a lot to her. "What did it look like, again?"

Katie described the ring for her sister. "If you could just look around Gryffindor Tower. Maybe someone stole it..."

"I doubt anyone in Gryffindor would want a Malfoy ring, but I'll see what I can do," Ashley replied.

"Thanks," Katie said. "And you promise that you're not going to tell Mum or Dad?"

"I promise," Ashley said reluctantly. "But you know eventually they're going to find out, Katie."

Katie laughed. "Ash, people always say that but it doesn't always happen like that."

"Mum and Dad are smart," Ashley pointed out. "They may not find out now, but they will."

"Well, I don't plan on telling them and you've promised you won't tell them," Katie said grinning at her.

"And I won't," Ashley said. "But don't be too disappointed if you can't find the ring. If it meant so much to you, you should have kept a better eye on it."

Katie rolled her eyes. "You always have to lecture, don't you?"

"I'm not trying to lecture you," Ashley sighed. "But--"

Katie opened her mouth to say something when she saw the strangest thing. Zander walked down the staircase and without a glance in Ashley's direction, walked into the library.

"What's up with him?" she asked her sister.

Ashley frowned. She and Zander had not spoken to each other in weeks.

"Are you two fighting?" Katie asked curiously.

"Sort of," Ashley admitted.

"What happened?" Katie pressed.

"We're just not agreeing on something," Ashley said looking down at the floor.

"Oh," Katie said, realising this was all she was going to get out of her sister.

"Look, maybe someone in your house took the ring," Ashley said to her. "Did you show it to anyone?"

"Yes..." Katie twisted a lock of her hair around her finger.

"Or should I say showed it off to anyone?" Ashley asked pointedly.

"I didn't show off," Katie said defensively.

Ashley folded her arms. "Katie..."

"I didn't!" Katie said. "Honest! I showed it to Jem and Piper, and then a few other people in the library."

"Jemima," Ashley said shaking her head. "Katie, come on."

"She wouldn't do that to me," Katie said.

"She is ruthless, calculating and ambitious," Ashley told her. "If you had something she wanted, she wouldn't think twice about taking it. Remember poor Erin?"

"That's different," Katie insisted. "Erin was never her friend."

"Yes, she was," Ashley said. "I imagine Jemima didn't fill you in on this little tidbit of information, but she, Piper and Erin were thick as thieves their first year at Hogwarts. Well, when it came out that Erin's family was having financial troubles, your good friend Jemima dropped her as a friend and never looked back."

"How would you know?" Katie asked disdainfully. "You're in Gryffindor."

"I'm best friends with Brittany," Ashley reminded her. "She knows everything about everyone at this school."

"Look..." Katie pushed her fringe out of her eyes. "Just see if anyone has seen my ring. I want it back."

"I'll keep my eyes open," Ashley promised. "But, you need to do the same, Katie."

"I am," Katie said.

"I should get back to studying," Ashley said.

Katie nodded. "I'll see you later, Ash."

Katie hurried back upstairs to the common room. She did not think Jemima would do something like this to her, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

She saw Jemima sitting by the fireplace with Piper. The two girls were looking at something small and laughing.

"Hiya," Katie said coming up behind them.

Jemima hurriedly stuffed something back into her bag. "Hello, Katherine."

"What are you guys doing?" Katie asked.

"Waiting for Tristan," Jemima replied.

"Oh," Katie said. "It looked like you were looking at something..."

"Just talking," Piper said quickly.

"And planning for this weekend's Quidditch match," Jemima said.

"We're going to cream Gryffindor," Piper said confidently.

"The after party is going to be wicked," Jemima said with a gleam in her eyes.

Katie nodded, but her heart wasn't in it. She desperately wanted her ring back.

"There's something I wanted to ask you both," Katie said. "You remember that ring I showed you?"

Jemima and Piper shared a look.

Katie did not miss this and she felt a sinking feeling in her stomach. "I was just wondering if either of you had seen it? I can't seem to find it anywhere."

"If we saw it we'd give it back to you right away," Jemima said smoothly. "We know it's very... important to you."

"Thanks," Katie told them. "It is. It's very, very important and I'd die if anything happened to it."

Jemima patted her shoulder. "I'm sure it will turn up, Katherine."

"Absolutely," Piper agreed.

"I guess..." Katie sighed.

Piper looked over her shoulder and saw Tristan walking into the common room...with Erin. "Jem--look."

Jemima turned and her eyes narrowed dangerously. "She didn't learn her lesson the first time, did she?"

The three girls were quiet so they could hear the conversation. "It'll be okay," Tristan was telling Erin. "And if you need to talk, just---just know I'm here."

"Thank you," Erin said. "I'm sure things will look up now... but I appreciate it all the same."

Tristan smiled reassuringly at her before Erin headed upstairs. He turned and saw Jemima glaring at him and he reluctantly headed over to the sofa. "Jemima."

"Tristan," Jemima stood up. "Why are you talking to her?"

Tristan rolled his eyes. "Jemima, not this again."

"You said you wanted to be with me," Jemima hissed.

"I was just talking to Erin," Tristan told her. "She's been having a tough time. I found her crying in the corner."

Jemima rolled her eyes. "What now?"

"That's none of your business," Tristan told her bluntly. “You know, this possessive act of yours is getting really old."

Jemima gasped. "How dare you?"

"I think I'll be taking Erin to the after party," Tristan said. "If she'll go with me, given how I treated her. But, you'd know all about that, wouldn't you?"

"I didn't make you do anything you didn't want to do," Jemima said coldly.

"Right," Tristan chuckled. "I'll see you around, Jemima."

"I can't believe he just did that," Piper said as Jemima sat back down.

"Nor can I," Jemima said angrily. "Who needs him? Besides, snogging him is like snogging a worm."

"Eww!" both Piper and Katie replied at the same time.

"Loser," Jemima scoffed.

"You can do better," Piper told her.

"Absolutely," Katie said.

Jemima sat back. "I'll need to find someone new. Fast. I cannot go to this party alone."

Piper pulled a notebook from her bag. "Let's see. Do you want someone in our year or older?"

"Older," Piper scoffed. "The boys in our year are completely juvenile."

Piper looked through her notebook. "Ooooh. Quentin Moore's a fifth year and he just broke up with his girlfriend."

"Hmmm..." Jemima said. "A possibility..."

"Or Brendan Burgess," Piper suggested. "Sixth year."

"Two decent possibilities," Jemima said. "What do you think, Katherine?"

Katie shrugged. "I don't know. Listen, about my ring---"

Jemima brushed the subject aside. "Katherine, you'll find it."

Katie did not like how dismissive Jemima was about this.

"We have something important to decide," Piper said to Katie.

"Focus," Jemima told her.

Katie bit back an angry retort.

"Piper," Jemima ordered. "Let's do the pros and cons for both Brendan and Quentin."

"Right," Piper nodded and Katie sat back, trying not to show her boredom. She didn't really care who Jemima went to the after party with. She just wanted her ring back.

"Jem, do you want me to bring your books and things upstairs for you?" Katie asked, an idea suddenly coming to her.

Jemima looked at her in surprise. "That would be lovely, Katherine."

Katie smiled sweetly at her. "I'll be back in just a bit."

She rushed upstairs and tossed Jemima's things on her bed. She knew she didn't have much time.

"What are you doing?" a voice asked from the distance. Katie turned to see Erin sitting on her bed.

"Um... just putting Jem's things up here," Katie replied.

"You could fluff her pillows while you're at it," Erin said sarcastically.

Katie glared at her. "Don't worry about what I'm doing."

Erin watched as Katie rifled through Jemima's bag. "What is it you're looking for?" Erin asked.

"Don't worry about it," Katie said, feeling a sudden sense of panic. Would Erin tell Jemima that Katie had been looking through her things?

"She usually keeps it in the zipper on the side of her bag there," Erin said to Katie. Katie turned to look at her in surprise.

"What?" she asked, confused.

"The ring," Erin said. "That is what you're looking for, right?"

Katie stared at Erin in shock.

"Look," Erin told her motioning to the bag.

Katie thrust her hand into the side pocket and felt her stomach plummet when her fingers closed over something small. She withdrew her ring, dangling from the chain.

"She's had it for awhile," Erin said to Katie. "And she and Piper have been laughing about it behind your back."

Katie bit her lower lip. "I really thought she was my friend..." she said quietly.

Erin laughed half-heartedly. "Jemima doesn't have friends. She uses people. That’s all she knows how to do."

Katie crumpled the chain in her fist and clenched it tightly.

She could not believe Jemima and Piper had done this and worse still---they'd laughed about it. It was all a joke to them.

"Look, for what it's worth, I'm sorry," Erin said. "I didn’t' know until last night about what they'd done."

Katie felt a twinge of guilt about her role in the plot to get back at Erin. She knew the older girl could have kept quiet about all of this. "Thank you," Katie said quietly.

Erin nodded. "What are you going to do?"

Katie shrugged. "I'm not sure."

Erin shrugged. "It's up to you of course... but the best path of action is public humiliation... that's what Jemima fears most."

A slow smile spread over Katie's face. "Public humiliation...yes."

Erin had to hide her own smile. "Especially in front of the blokes."

Katie looked at Erin. "She's downstairs with Piper comparing notes on Quentin and Brendan."

"Neither of them would want anything to do with her," Erin replied. "My brother is good friends with them."

Katie smiled. She figured she owed Erin for the information. "By the way, she and Tristan broke up."

Erin smiled back at her. "I figured as much. The only reason she fancied him to begin with was because he was interested in me."

"I'm sorry for what happened," Katie said.

Erin shrugged. "You're only eleven, Katie. You're going to do a lot of things that you wonder about later on. It's no big deal."

"Well, this is the last time I do what Jemima tells me to do," Katie said firmly. "I can't believe she would do this to me. She knew how important this ring is to me."

"It's like I said," Erin replied. "Jemima uses people to get what she wants. People like her will always steal and cheat to get ahead."

Katie nodded. "Well, she needs to learn that there are people that you can't do that to."

"I hope you're able enough to take her on," Erin warned. "She's vicious."

Katie smiled at her. "I'm a Malfoy."

Katie put the ring back around her neck. Just having it back again made her stand up a little straighter. There was no way she was letting this piece of jewellery out of her sight again.

"Good luck," Erin told her.

"Thanks," Katie replied.

"And don't worry," Erin said. "She's not going to hear from me that you have the ring."

"I'm sure she'll realise it soon enough," Katie answered.

"If you need any help, just let me know," Erin said.

"I may have to take you up on that," Katie said. "But don't worry."

The door to the dormitory opened and Piper and Jemima came inside. Katie quickly tucked the chain under her jumper.

"What the hell was taking you so long, Katherine?" Jemima asked suspiciously.

"I was just making sure everything was put away properly," Katie said in a sugary voice. "And of course... making sure Erin doesn't take anything." she cast a look at the older girl.

Jemima laughed. "Seeing as she is a charity case now..." Erin glared at Jemima. "Jemima, as if it is any of your business, my father did get another job. So you can take your biting remarks elsewhere. This is my room too even though you wish it wasn't."

"You make the air in here reek," Jemima said icily.

"That's not me," Erin retorted. "That's your perfume."

"You bitch," Jemima sneered.

Erin rolled her eyes. "Whatever. I'm going to the library."

"You better watch your back," Jemima threatened when Erin pushed past her.

Piper giggled. "Good one, Jem."

"What are you going to do?" Erin asked coolly. "Read my diary aloud again?"

"So everyone can see how pathetic you are?" Jemima asked with a laugh.

Erin just shook her head. "You're one to talk about pathetic..." she replied before leaving the room.

Jemima huffed. "I'm so sick of her. I'm sorry you had to be alone with her, Katherine."

"No big deal," Katie replied. "Let me just finish putting your things away." she went for Jemima's bag.

Jemima grabbed for it. "Not necessary, Katherine. Thank you."

"Are you sure?" Katie pressed her.

Jemima nodded and tossed her bag inside her trunk.

Katie resisted the urge to smirk, although she wanted to reach out and claw at Jemima's face.

"So, um, who did you decide on?" Katie asked instead.

"We haven't yet," Piper said haughtily. "Get with it, Katherine."

Katie glared at her. "How would I know, Piper? I've been up here?"

"Piper," Jemima admonished.

"Sorry," Piper said but Katie could tell from the tone of her voice she did not mean it.

"Whatever," Jemima said. "Let's get out of here. We can go observe my two new blokes."

"Absolutely," Katie agreed.

Piper glanced at her suspiciously.

"What?" Katie asked.

"Nothing," Piper muttered.

Katie followed the older girls out of the room. They were silent as they climbed out of the portrait hole and into the main corridor. To Katie's surprise, she saw Sebastian talking to Zander's girlfriend. Katie did not remember the girl's name.

She tuned out Jemima and Piper and tried to listen in on their conversation as the three of them walked past.

"...not talking," Katie heard the girl say to Sebastian.

"That's exactly what you wanted, isn't it?" Sebastian asked.

Katie nudged Jemima. "Who is that girl? The one Sebastian's talking to?"

"I don't know," Jemima said. "I think she's one of those... Hufflepuffs."

Katie tried to remember that girl's name. It started with a "C" didn't it? The bigger question, Katie wondered, is why Zander's girlfriend was so chummy with a Slytherin.

"Celia," she said aloud.

Jemima looked at her. "What?"

"That girl," Katie said. "Her name is Celia. She's supposed to be going out with my sister's friend Zander."

"Looks as if she might have traded up," Piper commented.

Katie looked back at the duo as they passed. Her eyes met Celia's.

"Hello, Sebastian," Katie said to her fellow Slytherin.

"Hi," Sebastian jerked his head.

"Slumming?" Jemima asked him, motioning toward Celia.

Celia gaped at her. "How dare--"

"I was assigned a project with her," Sebastian interjected. "We were just talking about it."

"I see," Jemima smiled wickedly.

Celia looked a little hurt by Sebastian's remark. Katie saw the flash of anger on the other girl's face.

Something else was going on here. Katie thought Zander was a bit boring, but he was all right. He didn't deserve this girl playing him.

"Enjoy your studying," Piper said giggling as she gave Celia the once-over.

"Sebastian can do better than that," Jemima said in a stage whisper as the three of them walked away.

"A Ravenclaw would be better than a Hufflepuff," Piper agreed.

"Bitches," Celia muttered.

Sebastian reached for her hand, but only after making sure the other girls were out of sight. "They're just jealous, Cel."

"That little one, that was Ashley's sister." Celia said worriedly.

"I know," Sebastian said. "So what?"

"What if she says something?" Celia asked.

"She won't," Sebastian said dismissively. "For one thing, she's a Slytherin. And for another, she's a first year. They're babies, Celia."

"She's not dumb like you think she is," Celia pointed out.

"Celia, are you doubting me?" Sebastian asked, putting his arm around her.

"No..." she said softly.

"Good," Sebastian said grinning at her.

"I just can't wait to drop him and be done with all this," Celia said.

"Just keep me posted on whatever he does and after the match, he's history," Sebastian promised.

"Fine," Celia sighed.

"That's my girl," Sebastian said giving her a quick kiss.

"I should go," Celia said. "Talk to Zander before I turn in."

Sebastian nodded. "I'll see you in the morning."

“Oh,” Celia turned. “He doesn’t have the SideWinder.”

Sebastian looked at her. "For real?"

Celia shrugged. "I told him I had heard rumours and he said I'd heard wrong..."

Sebastian grinned. "I knew it."

"So you have nothing to worry about." Celia said over her shoulder.

"Thanks to you," Sebastian said winking at her.

Celia grinned before disappearing down the corridor. Zander had been in the library earlier so she headed to see if he was still there.

To her delight, she saw him sitting at a table by himself. On the other side of the library sat Ashley Malfoy, Brittany Murray and Brittany's boyfriend.

"Hey," Celia greeted him, leaning over and pecking him on the cheek.

"Hiya," Zander said forcing a smile.

"What's wrong?" she asked.

Zander chanced a look in Ashley and Brittany's direction. "Nothing."

"You're still upset with your friends?" Celia asked. "Over me?"

Zander shook his head. He did not want Celia to feel bad over Brittany and Ashley's stupid accusations. "No, just a difference of opinion is all."

Celia ran her fingers through his hair. "I can't wait to see you cream Slytherin this weekend."

Across the room, Brittany saw what Celia was doing and she made gagging noises.

"What?" Ashley asked.

"That," Brittany said, her nose scrunching up in disgust.

Ashley shook her head. "She's really playing it up isn't she?"

Brittany nodded and nudged her. "Watch this." Brittany walked over to the reference table where Madam Pince was reading a book. "Madam Pince, I hate to be a tattler, but my friends and I are trying to study, but that Hufflepuff, Celia, keeps trying to flirt and snog her boyfriend in here. It's very, very distracting."

The librarian immediately jumped to her feet and stormed over to the couple at the table.

With a smug smile, Brittany sat back down beside Ashley.

"I suppose you two think this is a place for public affection but it's not," they listened to the librarian scolding them. "This is a place of learning, and studying, and RESPECT for these novels!"

"I-I was just leaving," Celia stammered. "I'm sorry."

"If I catch you doing this again, its detention," Madam Pince barked. "For BOTH of you!"

Celia said a quick goodbye to Zander before hurrying out of the library.

Zander looked over and saw his cousin, Evan and Ashley quickly look away. He figured they were behind this.

"I think that might have made it worse," Ashley whispered to Brittany.

Brittany shrugged. "He's being a jerk, Ash."

Ashley agreed, but she hated this tension between the three of them.

"So," Brittany said. "Has James written you again?"

Ashley shook her head. "No, but I'll let you know the moment he does."

"He really seems to fancy you," Evan told her.

Ashley blushed. "We're just getting to know each other."

"Yeah but he's already made me promise to let him come visit for summer hols," Evan said with a grin. "So he can see you."

Ashley smiled. "Really?"

"Ooooh," Brittany teased. "He's in loooove!"

Ashley opened her mouth to respond, but Madam Pince announced that it was time for the library to close.

The three of them gathered up their books when Zander swept by their table. "Thanks for getting me in trouble," he snapped, but his angry glare centred on Ashley.

"We have no idea what you're talking about," Brittany said glaring right back at him.

"You told Madam Pince I was snogging with Celia," Zander said angrily.

"I didn't," Brittany retorted. "Besides, the woman has eyes Zander. She could see you!"

"Yeah right," Zander said bitterly.

"Whatever," Brittany said. "Come on, Evan."

Ashley packed up the rest of her things and followed them after shooting a disappointed look at Zander.

"Ashley," Zander called after her.

Ashley just shook her head and didn't stop walking.

"Ashley!" Zander ran after her.

"I don't want to talk to you," Ashley said coolly.

"Why are you doing this?" Zander asked.

"Excuse me?" Ashley asked.

"Why are you and Brittany doing this?" Zander asked.

"Doing what?" Ashley asked tersely.

"Making things hard," Zander said. "Celia and I weren't bothering anyone in the library."

"I didn't say a word," Ashley replied truthfully.

Zander folded his arms and looked at her.

"But, I'm going to say something now," Ashley said. "After all we've been through, you still think I'd lie about this. I know what I heard and I know what I saw."

"You're jealous of Celia," he maintained.

Ashley stopped in her tracks. "What?"

"You're jealous because I fancy her now and not you," Zander said.

Ashley gaped at him, anger surging through her veins. He thought she was jealous?

Zander crossed his arms and looked back at her, unflinching.

Ashley shook her head. She did not even know who this person staring back at her was. He certainly wasn't her best friend. Not anymore.

"I'm with her now, and I'm not planning on breaking up with her," Zander said. "So you should get used to it. You liked her just fine."

"I don't have to get used to anything!" Ashley retorted. "Because I don't want to be around you. Not anymore!"

"You--" Zander began.

Ashley turned on her heel and stalked away.

Zander shook his head and went to collect the rest of his things.

There was a nagging voice in his head that was trying to tell him that Ashley would not lie about this.

"Shut it," he grumbled, stuffing his books in his bag. Besides fighting with Ashley and his cousin, he was also worried about the match. The Slytherins had not stopped bothering him about the SideWinder and he knew there was no chance of getting Harry Potter's broom now.

As he exited the library, he was nearly knocked down by some crazy girl. "Watch where you're going!" she exclaimed, glaring at him. "Oh--it's you."

Zander sighed. "Katie."

Katie rolled her eyes. "No Celia?" she asked pointedly.

Zander picked up the piece of parchment that Katie had dropped. She had written down the title of a book. Katie snatched it out of his hand. "Nosy much?"

"I was just picking it up for you," Zander pointed out.

"I have to check this out before the library closes," Katie said folding the paper.

"Don't let me stop you," Zander stepped aside.

Katie made a move for the shelves, but she stopped. "You---you'd better watch your girlfriend. I think she has something going with Sebastian."

"I bet Ashley told you to say that," Zander said sarcastically.

Katie raised an eyebrow. "When have you ever known me to say something just because someone told me to? I could care less what you do."

Zander just stared at her for a long moment.

"What?" Katie asked.

"Nothing," Zander muttered. "See you around."

Katie ran up to the reference desk. "Madam Pince! I know you're closing, but I really, really, really need this book. Can I just have two minutes to find it?"

The librarian sighed. "One minute." she said. "I honestly don't know why you students always wait until the last minute..."

Katie beamed at her. She could not tell the librarian what a lifesaver she was being. This particular potion was going to take about three days to make and Katie did not have a moment to spare. If this was going to go off without a hitch, she'd have to get started tonight.

"Thank you," Katie said gratefully and darted off to the Potions section.

She would have made it here sooner if she hadn't had to listen to Jemima and Piper drone on and on about Brendan versus Quentin. The only thing that had kept Katie there was plotting her revenge.

"Come on," she said. "Where are you?"

Katie grinned when she found the book. She pulled it from the shelf and hugged it to her chest.

She checked it out and Madam Pince practically shoved her out of the library before locking the doors.

Katie did a little dance of triumph outside the library.

Hurrying back to the Slytherin dormitories, she flipped through the book to find the right potion.

She would need to borrow a few of these ingredients from Professor Snape. It shouldn't be too hard, Katie thought, since Professor Snape liked her.

She took a slight detour down to the Potions classroom and knocked on the door, hoping Snape would still be in there.

"Miss Malfoy," Snape said looking up from his paperwork.

"Good evening Professor," Katie said. "I'd like to brew this potion for um... for extra credit. Can I borrow a few ingredients?"

Snape gave her a nod. "Take what you want, Miss Malfoy."

Katie beamed. "Thank you so much, Professor!"

Snape nodded again before returning his attention to his paperwork.

Katie took a pinch of everything she needed to create the potion and headed back up to the dormitory. She would brew the potion in one of the stalls in the loo.

Katie had really taken to potion making and she had top marks in the class. It came easy to her unlike the other subjects where she really had to work hard. She still struggled with her reading, but with help, she was doing well in her classes.

She would start the potion later that night when everyone was sleeping. For now, she stashed the ingredients in her trunk.

Katie smiled as she thought of her revenge against Jemima. That girl would rue the day she decided to cross Katie Malfoy.

Katie headed into the common room. She had an essay to write for Charms class and wanted to get it done.

She set her books, parchment and ink down on one of the tables.

"Katherine," Jemima said from her perch by the fire.

Katie rolled her eyes. She did not want to be around Jemima right now. Slowly, she turned around. "Jem. I didn't know you'd be here."

"Where else would I be?" Jemima asked her eyes not on Katie but on two boys across the room.

"I really need to work on my essay," Katie said to her.

Jemima gave her a look. "This is important, Katherine."

"What?" Katie asked curiously.

Jemima sighed impatiently. "Which guy I'll be taking tot he party."

"Oh," Katie said. "That."

Unwillingly, she gathered her things. She could still work on her essay sitting over there.

Jemima studied the younger girl.

"What?" Katie asked, trying to keep the annoyance from her voice.

"Your skin," Jemima commented. "You look as if you're glowing."

Katie fought to hide her smirk. "Oh it's just a cream my dad's stylist sent me."

Jemima tried to look disinterested. "Oh?"

"Yeah," Katie sighed. "I usually put it on to try and cheer myself up. I still can't find my ring anywhere."

Jemima patted her on the arm. "I'm sure it will turn up, Katherine."

"I hope so," Katie sighed, inwardly seething. "I mean... it's very important to me."

"You'll find it," Jemima said dismissively. "Now, about that cream..."

"What about it?" Katie asked. Jemima was playing right into her plan.

"What's it called?" Jemima asked. "Is it from Paris?"

“I'll have to ask Zoë," Katie replied.

"It's not like I need it," Jemima boasted. "I have never had a blemish, of course."

"Never," Piper said loyally.

"I just finished up my sample bottle that Zoë gave me," Katie told them. "But, Zoë’s supposed to send me a new bottle. Hopefully, it will arrive before the party."

"Write to her," Jemima commanded. "See if she'll send you a new one tomorrow."

Katie resisted the urge to glare at Jemima. How dare she think she could command her to do something? "Oh, I don't know, Jemima. It's very expensive and Zoë’s very busy."

"I thought we were friends, Katherine," Jemima frowned. "Friends do things for each other."

"I suppose I could ask," Katie said smiling sweetly at Jemima. "After all, I do want you to make a great impression at the party. Brendan and Quentin will do a double take when they see you, Jem."

Jemima sat back with a smile. "Thank you, Katherine."

"What are you going to wear?" Piper asked Jemima.

"I'm not sure yet," Jemima replied. "Something a bit low cut, of course... to show off my skin."

Again, Katie hid her smirk. "You definitely want to do that, Jem."

Jemima nodded. "And of course, I'll do something fabulous with my hair and makeup."

"I think you should wear your hair up," Piper commented.

"Perhaps," Jemima said noncommittally.

"You should," Katie agreed. "I think it would really show off your face."

"Well," Jemima said, pleased. "I think I will then."

Katie grinned. "Fantastic."

"Brendan's looking over here," Piper reported in a loud whisper as Katie began work on her essay.

Jemima sat up a little straighter and slowly turned her gaze to where Brendan was sitting.

Katie fought the urge to roll her eyes.

"He's coming over here," Piper whispered.

Jemima nodded and nudged her friend. "Shut up, Piper. Don't say a word."

Katie concentrated on her paper but kept an open ear to the conversation.

Jemima smiled flirtatiously at the older boy, but he ignored her. The smile on Jemima's face turned into a grimace when Brendan tapped Katie on the shoulder. "Katie, right?"

"What?" Katie asked. "Um... yeah."

"I was just wondering if you knew when your aunt's first match will be." Brendan asked. "Puddlemere's suffering without her."

"Oh," Katie replied. "She's off for another few months."

"With your niece right?" Brendan asked.

"Yes, Ellie." Katie nodded. "She misses it, so I know she'll be back as soon as possible."

Brendan smiled. "I really like her tenacity. She's the best player I've seen in years. Even if she was a Gryffindor."

"She's amazing," Katie replied proudly.

Brendan nodded in agreement. "She is. Well, I guess I'll see you around, Katie."

Katie smiled at him. "If I hear anything I'll let you know."

"Thanks," Brendan said before heading upstairs to his room.

Katie turned back to her homework only to see Jemima glaring at her. "What?"

"You didn't mention me," Jemima hissed.

Katie raised her hands. "He didn't even bring you up."

Piper sighed. "You should have mentioned her, Katherine."

"He was asking me about my aunt," Katie replied. "And I really wasn't thinking about anything else."

"Some friend you are," Jemima huffed.

Katie nearly snapped on her right then and there. She stood up and rolled her eyes. "I have work to do."

Jemima shrugged. "Whatever. Quentin's much cuter anyway."

Katie put her things down on a nearby table and got back to work on her essay.

"She's come so far," Jemima commented to Piper. "But, she still has so much to learn."

Piper smirked. "She'll never be like you, Jem."

Katie clenched her teeth. She would never want to be like Jemima.

"She'll learn someday if she wants to live up to her family name and drag it out of the dirt," Jemima replied.

Katie bit her bottom lip and resisted the urge to tell Jemima off. Those two girls obviously knew she was within earshot, but of course, they did not care.

She couldn't wait to see Jemima's face when the 'cream' worked. It was going to bring her down where she belonged.

304. Chapter 304 The Trouble with Hannah

Authors' note: Enjoy the latest chapter! Catching up with the Barrons...

Frankie and Maddie were enjoying a rare afternoon together while their children played together on the floor. Kiera had gotten all sorts of toys from her recent birthday and Christmas and was happy to share with Nathan and Isabelle.

"Isabelle looks so much like you," Maddie said to Frankie.

Frankie grinned. "She's got Will's eyes."

"Mummy," Nathan said looking up. "Where Han?"

"Hannah's at school," Frankie told her son. "We'll go pick her up in a little while."

"Speaking of Hannah," Maddie said in a quieter tone. "What's going on with Mallory?"

"I haven't heard from her in awhile," Frankie said. “I'm not sure what she's up to."

"Is she writing to Hannah?" Maddie asked.

"She was, but it's been two weeks since we've seen anything in the post," Frankie told her.

Maddie smiled. "So you have nothing to worry about."

"I hope not," Frankie said. "It almost worries me when I DON'T know what she's up to."

Maddie looked at her friend. "You're hiding something."

"I'm not," Frankie replied. "Really."

Maddie folded her arms. "David Wright."

"She compared me to him, you know," Frankie said distastefully.

Maddie knew about that, of course. But, she had also seen a vision of her best friend visiting David Wright in the jail.

Frankie sighed. "It was just one time, Maddie."

"I just don't like the idea of you being anywhere near that man," Maddie said.

"I promised Will I'd never go back," Frankie said. "And he's useless anyway."

"I'm glad to hear it," Maddie said. "You just need to concentrate on what's important. Your family---Will, Nathan, Isabelle and Hannah."

Frankie nodded. "How long does Gwyn usually kip for?"

"She'll probably be up soon," Maddie said looking at her watch. "She's been down since lunch."

"Mummy," Isabelle said. "Can I have a biscuit?"

"Sure," Frankie replied.

"I've got some in the kitchen," Maddie stood up.

"It's okay Mads," Frankie replied. "We brought some with us."

Maddie made a goofy face at Isabelle. "You've been holding out on me, Izzie?"

Isabelle giggled. "Yes."

"She was afraid you'd eat them all," Frankie teased reaching for her bag.

"Is that so?" Maddie reached for her.

Isabelle nodded.

"Well I promise not to eat them all," Maddie nuzzled her. "I'll save you one..."

"Just one?" Isabelle frowned.

"Or two," Maddie teased.

Kiera giggled and looked up at Frankie. "One?"

Maddie laughed. "You my love, just get one."

Kiera clapped her hands together and grinned at her mother.

Frankie reached into the bag and brought out a bag of biscuits. "All right," she said.

"Chocolate chip," Maddie said dreamily.

"My favourite," Isabelle reached for them eagerly.

At that moment, the baby monitor came to life with the sound of Gwyn's cries.

"That’s my cue," Maddie said, setting Isabelle on the sofa.

"Ba-by," Kiera said.

"You are so smart," Frankie said affectionately, giving all the kids a biscuit.

"Tanks," Nathan said eagerly.

"You're welcome, my love." Frankie gazed at her children.

"Save for Han," Isabelle said to Frankie.

"Hannah's got some at home," Frankie said to her daughter.

"Oh," Isabelle said thoughtfully.

"More for you, sweetheart," Frankie said.

Isabelle and Nathan looked at each other and grinned.

"Ummy," Kiera nibbled on a chocolate chip.

Maddie carried Gwyn into the sitting room and Frankie's face lit up at the sight of the baby.

"Let me see her!" Frankie held her arms out.

Maddie giggled. "She's a little fussy, Frankie."

"She won't be for me," Frankie eagerly took the infant into her arms.

Gwyn blinked her eyes open and stared up at Frankie.

"Hi," Frankie whispered.

Gwyn gave her a toothless smile in response.

"You little heartbreaker," Frankie said, running her finger over the infant's cheek.

"She is," Maddie agreed. "The other day we were in the shops and she and Kiera were just charming everyone."

"I can see that," Frankie bounced Gwyn gently in her arms.

"Ba-by," Kiera said toddling over to Frankie.

"Do you want to see your sister?" Frankie held the infant lower.

Kiera nodded.

"There we go," Frankie made Gwyn wave her tiny hand at Kiera.

Kiera giggled and Maddie couldn't help the smile that spread across her face. A lot of her friends had warned her that Kiera might be a little jealous of the attention that was going to shift to Gwyn, but so far, that had not happened.

"Here," Isabelle held out a biscuit to Maddie.

"Thank you," Maddie said smiling at her.

At that moment, the fireplace whooshed to life and startled all of them. Nathan almost flew into Frankie's arms as Ethan stepped out, coughing.

Gwyn face scrunched up and she started to cry in earnest.

Maddie set the biscuit aside and took her daughter into her arms. "Its okay love, it's just Daddy."

"Sorry," Ethan said dusting himself off.

"Hi!" Kiera said happily, trying to propel herself to her father.

Ethan scooped her up into his arms and hugged her tightly. "How's my girl today?"

Kiera giggled. "Daddy!"

Maddie patted Gwyn's back in comforting fashion and the baby's cries subsided. "Daddy didn't mean to spook us, Gwyn."

"I'm sorry," Ethan apologised again.

"It's okay," Maddie reassured him. "You're home early."

"We finished up," Ethan replied. "Hi Frankie... hey you two!"

"Hi," Frankie said smiling at him. "You have soot in your hair."

"I'm surprised you could see it," Ethan said, running his hand through his inky hair.

"Like everything else about me, my sight is perfect," Frankie said winking at Maddie.

"Oh brother," Ethan rolled his eyes playfully.

Frankie laughed. "Shut it, you."

"Shut it," Nathan repeated.

The smile on Frankie's face fell. "Oh no..."

Ethan laughed. "Nice job, Frankie."

"Shut it," Nathan repeated.

"No baby," Frankie said. "We don't talk like that."

Isabelle giggled. "Shut it, you!"

"Both of you," Frankie said. "That's not nice."

"I guess we've found something that isn't perfect," Ethan teased.

Frankie cast him a glare. "This is your fault you know."

"Me?" Ethan asked. "I wasn't the one who said it."

Maddie continued to comfort Gwyn. "Isabelle doesn't want to talk like that," she said to the little girl. "She's a big girl, and big girls talk nicely."

Isabelle nodded in agreement.

"No more," Isabelle said to Nathan.

Nathan nodded. "No more."

Frankie sat back. "Will would kill me if they were spouting off rubbish."

Maddie sat down with Gwyn. "Don't worry. They'll move on to something else quickly."

"Here," Kiera said, pointing to her stuffed bear.

"What?" Frankie asked looking at the little girl.

"There," Kiera pointed to her bear.

"You want your bear?" Frankie asked her.

Kiera pointed to her.

"You want me to have your bear?" Frankie asked.

Kiera nodded.

"Oh, sweetheart," Frankie said smiling at her. "That's so sweet, Kiera."

Kiera giggled and buried her face in Ethan's shoulder.

Ethan hugged her tightly. He loved spending time with his daughters.

Gwyn finally calmed down and Maddie took her seat on the sofa. "There we go," she said soothingly.

"How's Will?" Ethan asked Frankie.

"He's been really busy lately," Frankie replied. "They've started a whole new round of textbooks for the new school year."

Ethan nodded. "We'll see what Katie and Ashley think about them, eh."

"Have you heard from the girls?" Frankie asked.

"They write when they can, but they're both busy with school," Ethan said.

"At Christmas, Katie was talking about being in Slytherin," Frankie recalled. "She seems to love it."

"Not all Slytherins are bad," Maddie said. "And Katie has a good heart."

"She is a good kid, for the most part," Ethan nodded. "She's just got that Malfoy streak in her... and I don't mean that in a bad way. It just shows up more in her than it does in Ash."

"There's more Potter in her," Frankie said. "It kind of balances things out."

"Thankfully," Ethan sat down next to his wife. He still held Kiera in his arms.

"I still can't believe my Aunt Ginny showed up at Christmas like that," Maddie said.

"Allie was telling me about it," Frankie shook her head as Ethan finally set Kiera down. The little blonde half walked, half crawled across the room to the stack of toys in the corner.

"It was quite the show," Ethan said. "Poor Nick having to grow up with those two."

"Amazing to think he grew up like he did," Frankie agreed.

"He's great," Maddie said.

"Let me see her," Ethan said, reaching for Gwyn. "I was gone before she was up this morning."

Maddie gingerly handed the baby to him.

"Hey little girl," Ethan made a goofy face at his daughter.

Gwyn cooed happily at her father.

"Sure now she's happy," Maddie said with a grin. "She's been fussy all day for me."

"She's a daddy's girl," Ethan said.

"We should even things out with a little boy," Maddie said with a grin as Nathan dumped out a box of blocks.

Frankie looked at her friend. "You are trying for a Quidditch team, aren't you?"

Maddie laughed. "That is a good idea."

Frankie shook her head. "Maddie the Mum."

"I love being a mum," Maddie said happily. "It's one of the best feelings in the world."

"I know," Frankie agreed looking over at Nathan and Isabelle. The twins and Kiera were playing with a set of blocks.

"Blue one," Nathan told Kiera. "That one."

Kiera picked up the blue one and held it out to him.

"Good," Isabelle patted her arm.

Kiera beamed at her.

"Red now," Nathan said.

Kiera looked at the blocks on the floor. She reached for the one beside Isabelle's foot.

"That's yel-low." Nathan shook his head.

Kiera frowned. "Oh."

"Red," Isabelle picked up the block. "This."

"Good," Nathan took it from his sister.

Kiera picked up a green block and tried to give it to Nathan.

"They work well together," Maddie said to Ethan.

"It's nice that we all have big families," Frankie commented. "The kids all pretty much have someone else their age to play with."

Maddie nodded. "Kind of like we were."

"Frankie always had an eye for the boys," Ethan teased. "Even when we were kids."

Frankie swatted at him. "No, I didn't."

"Sure you did," Ethan replied.

"And you always did like to annoy people," Frankie retorted.

"Me?" Ethan asked innocently.

"You," Frankie replied. "Little man."

"Come on you two," Maddie said. "Don't bicker. The kids might think you're married instead."

Frankie scrunched up her nose. "Eww. Good point."

"Being married to me isn't so bad," Ethan replied, looking at his wife.

Maddie smiled. "No, it's not."

Gwyn cooed as Ethan leaned over and gave Maddie a kiss.

"I love you, Ethan James," Maddie whispered.

"Love you too," he grinned at her.

"Are you two alone in the room?" Frankie asked.

Maddie blushed. "Ethan, why don't you go and get the children some juice?"

"Sure," Ethan replied. "How about you two?"

Nothing for me, thanks, "Frankie said.

"Are you sure?" Maddie asked.

Frankie nodded. "We have to leave to pick up Hannah soon."

"Oh, of course," Maddie nodded.

The children had their juice and a few minutes later, Nathan, Isabelle and Frankie set off to pick up Hannah. Isabelle wanted to be carried while the independent Nathan insisted on walking.

"Look at you," Frankie said. "My big boy."

Nathan beamed up at her.

"What about me?" Isabelle asked.

Frankie mussed her daughter's curls. "You're my big girl."

Isabelle giggled. "Me and Hannah!"

"Two peas in a pod," Frankie said hugging her daughter tightly as Nathan navigated the steps to Hannah's school.

"Zoom!" Nathan said happily.

Isabelle laughed. She could not wait to tell Hannah about playing with Kiera and seeing the new baby. Hannah's class was still going on and Frankie peered into the window. Her oldest daughter was sitting at her desk and Frankie saw her wipe at her eyes. Hannah was crying.

Concerned, Frankie set Isabelle down. She wanted to knock on the door but had to impatiently wait until school was over.

The bell rang and children started filing out of the classroom. Frankie saw Hannah gathering her books and another little boy said something to her in passing. Whatever it was upset Hannah and the boy chuckled with friend before leaving the classroom.

Frankie stood aside with her two youngest, who were oblivious to the fact that Hannah was upset about something.

"Han!" Isabelle jumped up and down. "Han! Come out!"

"Shhh," Frankie said. "Hannah will be out when she's done."

Isabelle continued to bounce up and down. Hannah finally came out of the classroom.

"Baby what's wrong?" Frankie asked.

"Nothing," Hannah lied. She looked at her brother and sister. "Hi, you guys."

Frankie looked pensively at her daughter as Isabelle and Nathan threw themselves at Hannah. She decided to wait until they were home and the twins were down for their kip before asking again.

Nathan and Isabelle chattered away to their big sister about the day at Ethan and Maddie's.

"It sounds like you both had fun," Hannah said softly.

"They did, but Kiera and Gwyn missed you," Frankie said.

"Oh," Hannah said, tugging on one of her plaits.

Nathan reached for her hand. "Han-nah."

Hannah smiled at her little brother. Seeing them made her feel better.

"No kip, Mummy," Isabelle said to Frankie.

"Yes, kip, Izzie." Frankie said as they started home.

Isabelle yawned. "Not sleepy."

"I bet you're not," Frankie said with a grin.

"I have to do my homework anyway," Hannah told her siblings. "When you wake up, we can play."

"Kay," Isabelle said, running ahead of them a bit.

"How was school?" Frankie asked Hannah.

"Fine," Hannah shrugged.

Frankie opened the door for them and the twins headed upstairs. "Go ahead and get settled at the table with your homework. I'll make you a snack after I put them down."

"Okay," Hannah replied, heading into the kitchen.

Frankie had to read the children a story before they fell asleep. When she came back downstairs, she saw Hannah sitting at the table with a blank expression on her face.

"Okay," Frankie said. "Time for you to tell me what's going on, sweetheart."

Hannah didn't answer.

"Hannah," Frankie sat down next to her. "Come on baby. You can tell me anything."

Hannah looked over at her mother with her eyes shining with tears. "S-someone at school found out about my real f-father."

"What?" Frankie asked, startled.

"One of the boys," Hannah said. "Told the whole class how he k-killed---how he----"

Frankie was so angry she almost couldn't see for a moment. "How did he find out? What did your teacher say?"

"I didn't tell her," Hannah said in a small voice. "He told everyone at recess."

"Come here baby," Frankie pulled Hannah onto her lap.

Hannah put her arms around Frankie's neck.

Frankie rubbed her daughter's back comfortingly. "What David Wright did... that has nothing to do with you."

Hannah knew this, of course, but she could still hear the taunts of some of her schoolmates from earlier today.

"You hold your head high," Frankie continued to rub Hannah's back. "Because you know what an amazing girl you are, Hannah Emily."

Hannah nodded and hugged her mother once more just as Will came into the kitchen. He set his briefcase down and looked at his wife and daughter. "What's going on?"

Frankie told him what Hannah had said to her. "I think we should go have a talk with her teacher."

Hannah shook her head. "No, Mummy."

"I think it would be for the best, sweetheart." Frankie told her.

"I do too," Will agreed.

"But then they'll all know I told," Hannah protested.

"No, they won't," Will reassured her.

Hannah rubbed at her eyes. "They said maybe someday I might be just like him."

Will sat down beside his wife and used his hand to gently tilt his daughter's face up. "Hannah, you are nothing like him. Absolutely nothing."

"I'm not?" Hannah asked in a small voice.

"Not at all," Will said smiling at her. "You are smart, sweet, compassionate, warm and loving."

Frankie smoothed Hannah's hair back. "You're our daughter, and we love you so, so much."

Hannah gave her mother a slight smile.

"We'll straighten this out with your teacher," Frankie said. "No one will bother you about this, love."

"Promise?" Hannah asked.

Frankie nodded. "I'll ring her right now and make an appointment. And in the meantime, if anyone bothers you about it, you just walk away."

Hannah looked at Will. "You're my real father."

"In every way that counts," Will kissed her cheek. "I love you so much, baby."

"I love you too,” Hannah said.

Frankie came back into the kitchen. "We're meeting with her tomorrow afternoon."

"I'll clear my schedule," Will said.

"And I'll see if my mum or Maddie can watch the twins," Frankie headed for the fireplace.

Hannah looked at Will. "Can you help me with my homework?"

"Of course," Will told her.

Hannah wiped at her eyes. "Maths."

"Your favourite," Will joked.

"Hardly," Hannah laughed.

"I'll get us something to eat," Will said. "And we'll get this done and have a little fun."

"With Nathan and Izzie," Hannah said, feeling guilty that she hadn't paid them proper attention on the way home.

"I'm sure they'd love that," Will replied, getting up from the table.

Hannah opened up her books and hoped that none of her classmates would find out about this.

"I'll drop the twins off at Mum's tomorrow on my way to the school," Frankie said. "I had to move around a meeting I had with the team director, but this is more important."

Will pecked her on the cheek. "Absolutely."

"I was so angry," Frankie whispered to him. "How did someone find out?"

"I'm not sure," Will whispered back.

"I'd like to kill them," Frankie said furiously.

"Mama Bear," Will said squeezing her hand.

"More like a tiger right now," Frankie pushed her hair back.

Will put his arms around her. "I'm going to help Hannah with her homework."

Frankie nodded. "I'll start getting dinner ready."

"What are we having?" Hannah asked over her shoulder.

"I'm not sure yet," Frankie said. "Perhaps I should run to the shops."

"Hannah and I can hold down the fort, can't we?" Will asked, winking at his daughter.

Hannah nodded. "Will you be gone long, Mummy?"

Frankie shook her head. "I don't think so."

Hannah smiled at her. "I'll miss you."

Frankie smiled back at her. "I will miss you, too."

"All right," Will said. "The sooner we concentrate on this the sooner we get done..."

Hannah nodded and reached for a biscuit.

Frankie hurried to get the shopping done. Her mind kept playing Hannah's words over and over in her head and she kept seeing her daughter's face.

What kind of child would think something like this would be funny? What had happened to Hannah and Abbie at the hands of David Wright was no laughing matter.

Frankie was still furious when she got home, but hid it. Part of her wanted to ring up the parents of those boys responsible and unleash her wrath on them.

She was relieved to see Hannah in better spirits. Her daughter was still doing homework with Will. "Daddy, that's not how you spell that word!"

"It's not?" Will played dumb.

"Cat doesn't start with a "k" and you should know that since you write books!" Hannah giggled.

"I guess you're just smarter than me," Will teased her.

Hannah looked at Frankie. "Mummy, Daddy's being silly."

Frankie smiled at them both. "He is awfully goofy, isn't he?" she set the bags on the counter.

"Well, this goofy man is going to go and wake the monkeys up," Will said nudging Hannah.

Hannah closed her book. "Can I help you make dinner?"

"Sure," Frankie replied.

"What are we having?" Hannah asked.

"I thought I'd make spaghetti," Frankie said pulling some tins out of the bag. "Your Grandpa Neville's recipe."

"Ooooh!" Hannah said. "One of my favourites."

"I know," Frankie grinned at her.

Hannah pulled a long loaf of bread out one of the bags. "Can I make the garlic bread?"

Frankie nodded. "Sure, sweetheart."

Hannah went into the icebox for the butter and the garlic to mash together. "I like when we make dinner together. When Izzie gets older, she can help too."

Frankie could not have agreed more. She loved spending time with her daughter like this. They would talk about anything and everything while they made dinner. Someday, she did hope that Isabelle would join in as well.

Hannah pulled one of the chairs over to the counter to kneel on while she worked.

Will came into the kitchen with a groggy Nathan and Isabelle.

"Hello you two," Frankie kissed Nathan's cheek.

Isabelle toddled over to Hannah. "Hi."

"Hi Izzie," Hannah set the bowl down and climbed off the chair to hug her sister.

Isabelle yawned and Hannah giggled. "I thought you weren't sleepy."

"I'm not," Isabelle said.

Hannah laughed. "Sure."

"Hungry," Nathan looked up at his father.

"Your mum is working on it," Will said picking him up.

"Why don't you three set the table," Frankie said, waving her wand and letting the sauce stir itself as she poured the pasta into water.

'Seat the table," Isabelle sang.

Will laughed. "Seat the table. I like that."

Hannah looked over at Frankie and smiled.

Frankie came over and stood behind Hannah. "That looks excellent sweetheart."

Hannah grinned. "Thanks, Mummy."

"I bet Izzie can help you spread it on the bread," Frankie said.

Isabelle turned. "Ooh!"

"Come on over here, you." Frankie said.

Isabelle ran toward her mother and held up her arms.

Frankie set Isabelle on the counter next to Hannah. "Here you are baby." she said. "You take this... and just spread the mix on the bread."

"M'kay," Isabelle said.

Frankie laughed as Isabelle tried to spread the garlic butter. "No, baby. Just like this."

Isabelle watched her mother. "My way funner."

"Your way messier," Frankie said with a grin.

"Which is probably why she thinks its fun," Hannah said.

Isabelle giggled. "Fun!"

Frankie tugged on her daughter's hair. "Come on, you. Let's finish this so we can eat."

With Frankie and Isabelle's help, Hannah finished the garlic bread and in no time dinner was ready.

Will put Nathan and Isabelle in their chairs.

Frankie levitated everything to the table. "Dig in," she said, making plates for her two youngest.

"Sketti, sketti," Nathan said.

"That's right," Frankie said, putting plates in front of them. "You two don't get messy--"

Isabelle picked up a handful of spaghetti and threw it at Nathan.

"No!" Frankie told her daughter. "Little girls do NOT throw food."

Nathan picked up a handful of spaghetti and threw it at Hannah.

"And you don't do it either," Frankie said. "Or neither of you will get any spaghetti."

Hannah, Nathan and Isabelle giggled.

"Excellent garlic bread, girls." Will told his daughters.

"Thanks," Hannah said wiping the spaghetti from her shirt.

"Thanks!" Isabelle echoed.

Will laughed. "So let's try and get through this without throwing anything else."

"That means especially you two," Frankie said to her youngest.

"Emma would be disappointed," Hannah told them. "Remember? No waste."

"No waste," Isabelle nodded. "Don’t' tell Em."

"The wrath of Emma Weasley," Will said dramatically.

"It can be scary, Daddy." Hannah said.

"Yes, it can," Will said winking at her.

"This is very, very good Hannah." Frankie said. "Soon I'll have to teach you to make the sauce."

Hannah beamed at her. "Really?"

"Soon," Frankie promised.

Will nudged his wife. "I've been married to you for how long now and I've never been offered a chance to make the sauce."

"Because you're not a Longbottom," Frankie said primly.

"I married into the family," Will pointed out.

"Maybe we should teach him together," Hannah said. "Once I learn."

Frankie shook her head. "No, baby. Just us Longbottoms know."

"Thanks," Will said his tone slightly sarcastic.

Frankie laughed. "Oh, come on, Will. There are things about the Barrons that I'm not privy to."

"No there isn't," Will replied.

Frankie nudged him. "Your mother's top-secret oatmeal raisin biscuit recipe. I've begged her for that recipe, but she's never given it to me."

"All right," Will conceded. "There are a few things..."

"Gran's biscuits are really good," Hannah agreed.

"Maybe she'll teach you how to make them," Will said.

"I hope so," Hannah said.

"And then you'll give me the recipe," Frankie said.

"Sneaky girl," Will said. "She'll do no such thing."

"I'll keep it all a secret," Hannah promised.

"Se-cret," Nathan said.

"And someday, I'll teach you both," she said.

Isabelle nodded. "No waste."

Hannah giggled again. "That's right, Izzie."

The family finished their dinner and Will volunteered to clean things up while Frankie took the kids into the sitting room.

"I still have a few things I have to finish with my homework," Hannah said, carrying her books in.

Isabelle frowned. "No play."

"Just give me a few minutes," Hannah said. "It's just spelling."

"Come on, Iz," Frankie said. "Nathan and I will play with you."

"Blocks," Isabelle said, reaching for their bucket.

"Blocks it is," Frankie said making a goofy face at her youngest children.

"Izzie likes it when you play with them," Hannah said.

"No blocks," Nathan said. "Cars."

"Blocks," Isabelle insisted.

"Cars," Nathan said kicking one of the blocks.

"Nathan," Frankie said. "We don't kick at our toys."

"Bad boy," Isabelle wagged her finger at him.

"Stop!" Nathan glared at her.

Hannah looked at her brother and sister. "You guys, why don't you use the blocks to build a track where Nathan can play with his car?"

Frankie smiled at Hannah. "That's a lovely idea, sweetheart."

Hannah grinned. "Everybody wins."

"Big track," Nathan said, putting some blocks together.

Frankie helped her two children build a track and for a moment she forgot about the drama of the day. She still could not believe that someone had actually taunted Hannah about her biological father and what he had done.

Will joined them a few minutes later and he could tell his wife was still agitated. "What are you lot building?" he asked.

"A track," Hannah replied looking up from her homework. "So Nathan can race his cars."

"Good idea," Will replied. "Want some help?"

Isabelle nodded and handed her father some blocks.

Hannah hurried to finish her spelling. This night was just what she needed to keep her mind off what had happened during school that day.

She plopped down in front of Frankie and leaned against her mother.

"How are you, sweetheart?" Frankie asked.

"Okay," Hannah replied.

Frankie kissed the top of Hannah's head. "I love you so much, baby."

"I love you too," Hannah said turning and smiling at her.

"I'll always be here to take care of you," Frankie said. "No matter what."

"I know," Hannah said hugging her tightly.

Frankie held her tightly for a moment. "Come on," she said. "Let's go make a bridge over there for Nathan's cars."

"He's going to love that," Hannah said with a grin.

Frankie found another box of blocks and opened it up. "You and I can take this on."

Hannah giggled. "We can make a great bridge."

"Me too," Isabelle didn't want to be left out of anything her mother or sister did.

Frankie sat in the middle of her two daughters and shared a look with Will. They still had quite a bit to deal with, but for one night at least, they could put it aside and have a little fun.

305. Chapter 305 Dinner at Liam's

Authors' note: We just wanted to ask that you guys please take a moment after reading the chapter to let us know what you think. It's important for us to get feedback and we do take your comments to heart. We have some exciting stuff planned---especially with Neville and Cho and Harry/Hermione. These storylines will be coming up soon and we hope that you will enjoy seeing the old couples come back to the forefront. We know you review a little more when something BIG happens and not as often with the fluffy chapters. We rely on your feedback and yes, we DO appreciate constructive criticism. We just don't take well to the people who complain and whine and don't offer anything helpful.

Liam Thornhart was hanging on by a very thin thread. His mother had been staying with him for the past few days and he would catch her in the kitchen crying when she thought no one was looking. He found her starting letters to his father, but balling up the parchment the moment he came into the room. The idea that she would actually want to go back to that man after all he had done frustrated Liam beyond belief.

It did not help matters that his brother knew their mother was in town, but so far, he had not made one effort to come and see her.

"Mum," Liam said as he came in the kitchen and caught her sobbing over a cup of coffee and another letter. "You need to stop this."

Fiona quickly wiped at her eyes. "Oh, Liam. Good morning, son."

"Why are you still moping over him?" Liam asked impatiently.

Fiona did not answer her son. She stood up and walked over to the cupboard and grabbed a coffee mug. Liam watched as she poured him a cup of coffee. "What would you like for breakfast?"

"I don't eat breakfast," Liam said.

Fiona shook her head. "William. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. I can make you porridge. You used to love that when you were little."

"I'm not little anymore," he said coolly. "And I have to go to work."

"Of course," Fiona said frowning.

"I'll see you later," Liam muttered.

Liam grabbed his briefcase and cloak and headed out of his flat before his mother could say anything else. He had a couple of hours before he had to be at the office, but he wanted to stop by Gringotts to see his brother. The goblin at the front desk looked as if he couldn't be bothered.

"Conor Thornhart," Liam said firmly.

"He's not in," the goblin said, looking down at him from slanted red eyes.

"Where is he?" Liam demanded.

"Not here," the goblin repeated.

Liam sighed and leaned forward on the desk. "I'm his brother. I have to see him."

The goblin eyed him suspiciously. "Wait here," he grunted.

Liam glared at him. "Thank you."

He waited impatiently while the goblin loped away. His brother was here- he was never late nor missed a day of work.

A few minutes later, Conor came out with the goblin and looked genuinely surprised to see his brother.

"Liam," Conor said, nodding at him.

"Conor," Liam said coolly. "We need to talk."

Conor shrugged. "Liam, I'd love to catch up, but things are really crazy here."

"This is important," Liam snapped. "I don't have time to catch up either."

Conor motioned for his brother to follow him. The goblins eyed him suspiciously as Liam followed Conor through the double doors that led to the offices.

"What is it?" Conor asked. "I've got a mountain of work to do today."

"Did you get my owls?" Liam asked. "About mum?"

"The post is over there," Conor motioned with a dismissive wave of his hand.

Liam sighed. So his brother was doing what he had always done. Ignoring things and hoping they would go away on their own.

"What is it you want, Liam?" Conor asked, barely looking up from the stack of parchment on his desk.

Liam explained to his brother about their mother's unexpected visit and how she'd been staying with Liam the past couple of days.

"I'm really worried she's going to go back to him," Liam said. "She's crying and writing letters to him."

"Then maybe you should let her," Conor said. "If that's what she wants to do."

Liam could not believe his brother was saying this. After all they'd been through these years, Conor had the nerve to say something like that.

"Look," Conor looked up. "I love Mum, you know I do. But I can't deal with her anymore. Not when it comes to Dad."

"So, it's up to me, is it?" Liam asked angrily.

"You let her stay with you," Conor pointed out.

Liam stared at him. "What was I supposed to do? She showed up at my practice."

"I've tried to help her before," Conor said. "I even offered to pay for a flat for her to live in. But she didn't want it."

Liam tried to explain to his brother that this was the closest their mother had come to taking a stand. She had never once walked out the door, but now she had. "If we don't do something, she might go back to him, Conor. I think if you and I come together for this, she'll see she doesn't have to."

Conor sighed. "When?"

"Tonight?" Liam suggested. "She's going to make dinner for Darla---"

Conor looked at his brother. "Who?"

Liam turned a bit red. "She's... she's a friend of mine."

For the first time since he'd seen his brother, Conor smiled. "Friend, eh?"

"Yeah," Liam looked away. "She's coming over around seven. Can you make it?"

Conor looked like he was about to make up an excuse. To Liam's surprise, Conor nodded. "Yes."

"You will?" he asked. "Really?"

"I might be a little late, but I think I can make it," Conor said quietly.

Liam smiled at him. "Thanks, Conor."

Conor looked at his younger brother. "I'll see you tonight, little brother."

"Thanks," Liam said again before leaving his brother's office.

Liam felt a little more optimistic as he left Gringotts and set off for his office. He'd been pleasantly surprised that his brother had agreed to come over tonight.

He headed into the office, hoping he wasn't too late for his first appointment.

Liam tried not to think about his mother and what she might be up to, but he couldn't help thinking that she might be writing a letter or ringing his father. His father was probably playing the poor, pitiful victim and his mother would eat it up like she always did.

"Hi Liam," Lizzy greeted him. "How are you?"

"Sorry, I'm late,' Liam said to her. "I'm good---how are you?"

"Tired," Lizzy admitted. "The triplets decided they didn't need sleep and wouldn't go to bed last night. They had Josh and me up until half past two this morning!"

Liam winced. "That's not good."

"It was pretty bad," Lizzy said.

"They're at that age," Liam said thoughtfully. "You know when they get to be our age, they'll enjoy sleep and recognise how great it can be."

"And value it?" Lizzy asked with a grin.

Liam nodded. "But, you can't tell them that now, can you?"

"Of course not," Lizzy replied. "Here's your roster for today."

Liam took the files from her. "Thanks, Liz."

"You look a little tired too," Lizzy commented. "How are things with your mum?"

Liam shrugged. He had not told Lizzy too much about what was going on with his mother. For all Lizzy knew, his mother was just visiting. The only person he'd let know the truth was Darla. "Fine. She's making dinner for my brother and me tonight."

"I'm sure that will be lovely," Lizzy smiled at him.

Liam sure hoped so.

A few streets over, Darla was going over some arrangements with the caterer for Saffron and Andrew's wedding.

"No," Darla said. "Francois---we do not want that. The bride doesn't want red meat. No---she specifically asked..."

Drew made a face. "Why are we going with him again?"

Darla covered the receiver of the phone with her hand. "He won't let me bloody finish a sentence. Now he's speaking French..."

"Hang up on him," Drew waved her hand.

"Francois?" Darla tried again. "Yes, well, you can forget about us ever using you again. Goodbye!"

Drew applauded as her sister slammed the phone down. "Good job, Dar."

"Pretentious git," Darla said shaking her head.

"I've got a few other caterers in mind," Drew grabbed her thick address book. "I'll owl them right now for quotes."

"Thanks," Darla said. She looked at her calendar and smiled as she saw "Dinner with Liam, 7 p.m."

"What's that look for?" Drew asked.

"Hmm?" Darla asked, looking up.

"You got that little smile on your face," Drew said. "That's your happy face."

Darla blushed. "It's nothing..."

"You're seeing Liam later, aren't you?" Drew asked.

"Yes, but it's dinner with his mother is all," Darla said.

"Meeting the parents," Drew said. "Pretty big deal."

Darla crumpled up a piece of parchment and threw it at her sister.

Drew laughed and began to write her letters to the caterers.

Darla rolled her eyes. Drew had no idea what she was talking about. Tonight was just an innocent, platonic evening. Besides, his mother was going to be there. Rafe would be, too. And Liam mentioned seeing if he could talk his brother into coming.

Thinking of her son, Darla went over to the pram to check on him.

Rafe was awake and staring up at the ceiling. Darla grinned and gingerly lifted him out of the pram. "Hi, little guy."

Rafe smiled at her.

Drew looked up from her work and laughed. "Look at that face."

"He's my handsome boy," Darla kissed her son's soft forehead. "I bet he's hungry."

"He is a Weasley," Drew said.

"Aye," Darla got him a bottle and sat back down at her desk.

"You know," Drew said. "I think we should use the same caterer that we used for Maddie and Ethan's wedding."

Darla nodded. "They did a great job, and they'd be working in the same setting."

"I'll contact them first," Drew said. She laughed. "Merlin, Dar. We're planning little Saffron Potter's wedding. Can you believe it? It seems like just yesterday, Uncle Harry and Aunt Hermione were bringing her home."

"Makes me feel old," Darla nodded. "When did she grow up?"

Drew laughed. "Right before our very eyes."

Darla shook her head and guided a bottle to her son's mouth.

"Someday, you might be planning that little one's wedding," Drew said fondly.

"I don't want to think of that," Darla said. "I'd love it if he always stayed like this."

"That's what I said about Chloe," Drew said.

Darla looked down at her son as he drank contentedly.

He was everything in the world to her and he was the best parts of her and Hans.

Darla kissed his forehead and he stopped sucking on his bottle to smile at her.

"Charmer," Darla grinned at him.

"So," Drew said after she'd sent off her owls. "What's new with the good healer?"

Darla looked at her sister. "Quit fishing, Drew."

"I'm just asking," Drew replied.

"He's Liam," Darla replied setting her son back in his pram.

Drew gave her sister a look.

"Speaking of which, I should bring something to dinner tonight," Darla said. "Any ideas?"

"Some wine?" Drew suggested.

Darla did not think that would be a good idea given the history with Liam's father. "Maybe a cake or something?"

"Oh," Drew nodded. "Good idea."

Darla smiled. "I'll stop by the O'Leary Bakery."

"You know you'll get something good there," Drew said.

Darla made a note to stop at the bakery. She hoped that tonight would go well. She knew things were strained between Liam and his mother, but family was very important and she knew that his mother needed him.

They worked the rest of the afternoon on Andrew and Saffron's wedding and Darla found exactly what she wanted at the O'Leary's bakery.

She arrived a few minutes early at Liam's flat. Fiona gushed over Rafe the moment Darla carried him inside.

"Hi," Darla said to Liam. "I brought dessert."

Liam smiled at her. "You didn't have to do that."

"I wanted to," Darla replied, taking off her cloak. "Just a little something."

"Thanks," Liam said taking her cloak. "I'm really glad you came."

"Wouldn't have missed it," Darla replied as Fiona carried Rafe into the kitchen.

Liam told her that his brother was coming.

"I'm sure your mother is thrilled," Darla said.

"We'll just see if he shows up," Liam said. "Can I get you something to drink?"

"Just some pumpkin juice would be lovely," Darla replied.

"Coming right up," Liam smiled at her. Darla followed him into the kitchen.

"Mrs. Thornhart, dinner smells delicious," Darla said.

"Thank you, dear," Fiona replied. "I do love to cook."

Liam poured Darla a glass of juice. Darla watched him and thought about what her sister had said earlier.

She blushed a bit when he handed it to her. "Thank you."

"This little guy gets more handsome every time I see him," Fiona said looking down at Rafe.

"He's a little flirt too," Darla said. "Just like his father." she bit down on her lower lip when she realised what she'd said.

Fiona looked sympathetically at her. "If there's a chance, you should try and work things out with him---Rafe's father, I mean."

"I have," Darla replied. "But... he cheated on me. And he lives in New York now, and won't consider moving back here. I've already filed the divorce papers."

"Mum," Liam cautioned.

"Just a bit of advice," Fiona said. "I’m sorry if I've overstepped my bounds."

"You weren't to know," Darla reassured her.

"Conor should be here soon," Liam said. "We can eat once he arrives."

Rafe reached for Liam.

Darla smiled as Liam took Rafe into his arms. "He really likes you, you know."

Liam made a goofy face at Rafe. "We're mates. Aren't we, Rafe?"

Rafe grinned at him.

Liam laughed. "Have you been taking care of your mum?"

Darla grinned too. "He's my boy."

Fiona excused herself to check on the stew and Liam motioned for Darla to follow him into the sitting room.

Darla followed Liam and her son. "How was work?" she asked.

"Fine," Liam replied sitting down on the sofa with Rafe. "Nice distraction from what's been going on here."

"How's it been?" Darla asked softly.

Liam shrugged. "About as well as can be expected, I suppose. She cries and tries to hide it from me and she's been writing letters that I don't know if she's sent or not. I'm afraid she's going to back to him, Darla."

"Isn't there anything you can do?" Darla asked. "Like... I don't know... prove that he's drinking and have him arrested?"

Liam shook his head. "No, but hopefully Conor and I can convince her tonight."

"I'll help any way I can." Darla said.

Liam smiled at her. "Thanks, Darla."

Darla put a comforting hand on his arm. "Tell me about your brother."

"Conor," Liam said shaking his head. "When we were growing up, all we had were each other. I looked up to him, but as we got older, things changed."

"Not so close anymore?" Darla asked.

Liam shook his head. "But, maybe things will change. Maybe we'll be close like you and your brothers someday."

"That would be really nice," Darla nodded. "I love that we're all so close."

Darla was startled when a man suddenly appeared in the fireplace. He dusted himself off and Darla knew without a shadow of a doubt that this was Conor Thornhart. He was an older, taller version of Liam.

"Conor," Liam said. "I'm glad you made it." He handed Rafe back to Darla and stood up to greet his brother.

"Liam," Conor said shaking his brother's hand.

"This is my friend Darla," Liam introduced. "And her son, Rafe."

Darla stood up with Rafe. "It's nice to meet you, Conor."

"Hi," Conor said, gazing at the pretty redhead.

Fiona came in from the kitchen. "Liam, I thought I heard---Conor!"

"Hello, Mum." Conor said, the smile fading from his face.

Fiona approached him hesitantly. "I'm so glad you could come. I've missed you."

Conor nodded. "Liam wanted me here."

Fiona wanted to hug him, but she had a feeling he would not reciprocate. "Why don't we eat? Dinner's ready."

"I'm starved," Darla said, hoping to ease some of the tension.

Fiona smiled gratefully at her.

"The stew smells fantastic," Darla said.

Darla carried Rafe into the kitchen where Fiona had set up his carrier. Darla kissed her son's soft cheek before she set him down.

"He's a cute little one," Conor said to her.

Darla smiled at him. "Thanks. He's a little charmer."

"I see where he gets it from," Conor winked at her.

Liam glared at his brother. "So---what can I get you to drink?"

"Coffee would be great," Conor replied.

"I'll get it," Fiona said. "You sit down."

Conor took the seat next to Darla, much to Liam's dismay. What was his brother doing?

Liam reluctantly took the seat across from Darla. Darla smiled at him.

He felt better at the look on her face. At least with Darla, he didn't have to feel second best to his brother.

Fiona handed her oldest son a cup of coffee. "How are things at the bank, son?"

"Great," Conor replied. "Things really couldn't be better these days."

Fiona beamed at him. "Your father and I are so proud of both our boys."

"I don't care what Dad thinks," Conor replied.

The smile on Fiona's face faltered.

"Mum," Liam said. "I just think you're better off without him. Conor does too."

Fiona turned away. "You don't understand."

"Tell us then," Conor replied.

Fiona shook her head. "You boys don't understand what a great man your father is. He's just---he gets stressed out and he drinks, but he's always sorry afterwards."

Liam sat back and crossed his arms. "And when he says those things to you--"

Fiona let out a choked sob.

"He's just not worth it," Conor said flatly. "I won't see him, and now Liam won't either. If you want to be part of our lives, you can't be part of his."

Fiona turned and looked at him. "Conor, please..."

"That's how it is," Conor told her.

"He needs me," Fiona tried to reason with him.

"And what about us?" Liam asked cutting her off. "Did you think we might have needed you when he was cutting us down? Telling us we were worthless?"

Darla tried to look inconspicuous as the brothers continued to try and talk some sense into their mother. She didn't think she needed to hear what was being said, but she knew her presence was good for Liam.

"It wasn't him," Fiona said in her husband's defense.

Liam groaned in frustration. "Mum..."

"It's torn him up inside, you know," Fiona continued. "He knows he's hurt all of us."

"Yet, he keeps oin doing it," Conor said bluntly.

"You two just don't understand," Fiona said stubbornly.

Conor laughed bitterly. "We don't understand? We understand perfectly that your husband is more important to you than your two sons."

"I never said that, Conor," Fiona replied.

"You didn't have to," Conor said pushing back from his chair.

"Where are you going?" Fiona asked. "You don't have to leave--"

"That's right," Darla chimed in, unable to stay silent any longer.

Both Conor and Liam looked at her in surprise.

"Come on," Darla said. "Your mother's cooked a nice meal and you both need to catch up and I'd like to hear about how things really work at Gringotts."

Conor looked surprised. "You would?"

"Absolutely," Darla said. "My Uncle Bill works there, of course, but he never tells me anything---"

"Bill Weasley?" Conor asked.

Darla nodded. "Yes."

"Wild Bill Weasley," Conor laughed. "It is a small world. He trained me, actually."

"Did he?" Darla asked as Conor relaxed and sat back down.

Conor nodded. "He travels a lot now, as you know, so I don't get to see him as much, but he's a great bloke."

"Yes he is," Darla nodded.

Fiona patted Darla on the shoulder. She was grateful to the girl for salvaging the evening.

Darla smiled reassuringly at the older woman. "Can I help you get anything?"

"Would you help me with the plates?" Fiona asked.

"Of course," Darla checked on her son quickly before following Fiona into the kitchen.

Conor looked at his brother. "What just happened here?"

"Mum needs us," Liam replied. "I know we want her to get away from Dad, but perhaps we should just be more supportive of her."

Conor nodded reluctantly. "Yeah, maybe you're right. That's---that's some girl you've got there."

"She's a friend," Liam said. "And married."

"That why you shot daggers at me when I was flirting with her?" Conor asked.

"She's married," Liam said again.

Conor clapped him on the back. "Uh-huh."

Liam shook his head. "Are you hungry?"

"Starved actually," Conor replied. "Come on."

"I will say this," Liam said. "Mum's still the best cook I know."

Conor followed his brother into the kitchen where Fiona and Darla had set out the plates of stew.

"Dig in," Darla said. "It smells and looks delicious."

Conor winked at her. "You can be quite persuasive."

"Well, I think the food speaks for itself..." Darla said, looking past him to Liam.

Liam smiled at her. "No one can turn down Darla."

"You flatter me," Darla said dryly.

Conor shook his head as he watched his younger brother. He might not have seen Liam in awhile, but he could still read him like a book.

Darla excused herself when she heard Rafe begin to cry. "What a lovely young woman," Fiona said.

"She's brilliant," Liam said softly.

"You don't say," Conor leaned back in his chair.

Liam broke out of his reverie. "What?"

"You fancy her," Conor said plainly.

Fiona smiled at her youngest son. "Oh, William!"

"I do not," Liam denied. "She's my friend, a good friend. And she's married."

"She told me she's filed papers," Fiona said.

"And she's not interested," Liam said. "In anyone. She's been through enough."

"So, you wouldn't mind if I asked her out, then?" Conor asked.

Liam glared at his brother.

Fiona sat down, glad that her sons were interacting and happy that Darla had managed to get both of them to stay.

"Just leave her be," Liam said to his brother.

Conor held up his hands. "I was only teasing, mate."

Darla came into the kitchen and sat back down. "Sorry about that."

"How's Rafe?" Liam asked. "Okay?"

"Yes," Darla replied. "He's fine. Just had to change his nappy."

"Let's eat," Fiona said.

The four of them started to eat and enjoyed a companionable silence.

"So," Conor asked his mother. "How long are you going to be in London?"

"I don't know..." Fiona replied.

"You're welcome here," Liam said to her. "For as long as you want, Mum."

"Thank you," Fiona said softly.

Conor nodded. "Perhaps it will be good for you to take some time to think."

"Just do what you think is best," Darla offered. "I know you love your sons."

Fiona nodded. "I do."

"We love you too, Mum." Liam said. "And we just don't want you to hurt anymore."

Fiona looked back and forth between her sons. "I love you both, too. So very much and I'm sorry that I didn't stand up for you when you were younger. I should have..."

"Let's not worry about the past," Conor said.

"Right," Liam agreed.

After dinner, Conor volunteered to take Fiona for a walk around the neighbourhood. Liam knew what his brother was trying to do, but Conor sent him a know-it-all grin as he led their mother out of the flat.

Darla patted her stomach. "I am so full. Your mum is a great cook."

"Does she beat out Molly?" Liam asked her with a grin.

"She's close," Darla said.

"High praise indeed," Liam waved his wand at the dirty dishes.

"I think you got through to her," Darla said thoughtfully.

"I hope so," he said. "My father is really toxic."

Darla stepped forward and gave him a hug. "I'm proud of you."

Liam put his arms around her and closed his eyes to enjoy the moment. "Thanks, Dar."

"And your brother's not so bad," Darla said pulling away to look at him.

"He's pretty full of himself," Liam replied.

"Maybe a little," Darla laughed.

Liam smiled and let her go to finish cleaning up the kitchen.

Darla watched him and thought about how nice it was to hug him.

"We'll dig into your dessert when they get back," Liam told her. "I can't wait to try it."

"We could sneak a bite," Darla said conspiratorially.

Liam laughed. "I knew you couldn't hold out."

"We'll split a small piece," Darla said.

"I don't want any part in this," he teased.

Darla nudged him. "Well, then, you can't have a bite then."

"I'll wait," Liam replied, nudging her back.

"Chicken," Darla said walking over to the cake box. She opened it and smiled. "Look at all that chocolate..."

"Looks good," he nodded.

Darla grinned at him. "You know you want it."

Liam bit his tongue so he wouldn't say something he'd later regret.

"Just a little taste," Darla said cutting into the cake.

"I guess a bite couldn't hurt," he relented.

Darla let out an evil laugh. "At last! I have corrupted the good healer!"

"You are strange," Liam took the bite of cake she offered him.

"Yes, but you love me for it," Darla said before taking a bite herself.

Liam looked at her a long moment. "Sure do..." he managed to say casually.

Darla turned and studied his face.

"What?" he asked her.

"Um," Darla stammered.

"Are you all right?" he asked concernedly.

Darla let out a nervous laugh. "Yes, of course."

"You look sort of pale all of a sudden," he said. "Are you sure?"

Darla nodded. "Yes. No worries."

Liam smiled at her. "I’m glad you came tonight. I know it had to have been awkward earlier..."

"I was happy to be here for you," Darla reassured him.

"You've become one of my best friends," he told her truthfully.

"Is that all we are?" Darla asked him, surprising both of them.

"Well... yes." He said, shocked at her question. "I mean, you're married, and I'm... I'm just too busy for a relationship."

"Oh," Darla said quietly.

"Why do you ask?" he questioned.

Darla shrugged. “I guess I thought---"

She was interrupted when Fiona and Conor came back into the house.

Liam cursed under his breath.

Darla was so embarrassed; she excused herself to check on her son. What on earth had she been thinking?

Fiona looked at her youngest son. "Is everything alright?"

"Fine," Liam muttered.

"Let's have dessert then," Fiona said.

"I see you've already gotten into that," Conor said. "You always did have a sweet tooth."

Liam ignored his brother. "I'll---I'll be right back."

He went into the sitting room where Darla was holding Rafe in her arms and patting his back soothingly.

"Darla," Liam said softly.

"It's near Rafe's bed time," Darla said. "I should really get going. He's a bit cranky."

"What were you going to say earlier?" Liam asked.

Darla shrugged. "Not worth worrying about."

Liam studied her for a moment. Why had he answered the way he had? "Let me help you..."

"I'm fine," Darla said. "Really, Liam. Don't worry about me."

Liam picked up Rafe's carrier and set it beside Darla. Darla didn't look at him. "Darla?"

Darla looked back at him. "Yes?"

Liam touched her hand. "That's not all we are."

Darla shook her head. "I can't go doing anything like this. Despite what Hans is up to, I'm still married to him. He hasn't signed the papers, and we haven't even figured out custody."

"I just didn't want you to think that you were alone in this," Liam said.

"I'm fine," Darla looked up at him and smiled.

Liam smiled back at her. "Maybe---maybe when things are finalised with Hans, we can figure things out."

Darla didn't say anything. "It was a nice evening, Liam. Thank you."

"Thank you," Liam said. "For everything."

She stopped in the kitchen to say goodbye to Conor and to Fiona. "It was lovely to meet you," she said to Liam's brother.

Conor winked at her. "The pleasure was all mine."

"Come over any time you please," Fiona told her. "And bring this little man with you."

"I will," Darla said smiling at her. "Thanks, Mrs. Thornhart."

"I'll walk you out," Liam told her.

Darla nodded.

Rafe was already nearly asleep as Darla put him in his carrier and went outside.

"You saved the evening, you know?" Liam asked her.

"I didn't do anything special," Darla replied.

"Yes, you did," Liam told her.

"Your mum just wants you both to be there for her," she replied.

"We will," Liam said.

"Good," Darla said. "I'll see you soon."

Liam nodded and looked down at Rafe who was sitting happily in his carrier. "Good night, mate."

Rafe grinned up at him.

Liam grinned back. "You let your mum get some sleep tonight."

"He's good about that," Darla said. "Good night, Liam."

"Good night," Liam said softly.

He watched as Darla headed down the pavement and out of sight.

Conor clapped his brother on the back. "Alright?"

"Fine," Liam replied. "How's the cake?"

Conor smiled. "Delicious."

"Good," Liam went back inside with his brother. "I should get to bed. I'm on call tonight and I have to be at hospital around three."

Conor nodded. "I should go too. I'll talk to you both tomorrow."

"Leaving so early?" Fiona asked in dismay.

"I'll be in touch," Conor promised. He stepped forward and gave his mother a hug. "It'll be okay, Mum. I promise."

"I'm glad you were here," Fiona said. "Come by again soon."

"I will," Conor said. He looked over at his brother. "Good night, Liam."

"Later," Liam nodded. "I'll stop by the bank soon."

After he said goodbye to his brother and a good night to his mother, Liam walked into his bedroom. What a night this had been, he thought

His mind wandered to his short conversation with Darla. What was going on with her?

The truth was, he had real feelings for her that seemed to grow stronger with each passing day. Yes, she was still married and he was a workaholic with a messed up family.

"Great start to a relationship," he muttered, changing into a t-shirt and boxers to sleep in.

She was worth it, though, Liam thought. He remembered how well she had handled things tonight when it was so tense and awkward. If she hadn't been there, the evening would have ended before it even had a chance to begin.

She was a good influence on his brother and his mother- and on him too. The only time he felt really happy these days was when he was around her.

He had meant what he had said to her. When her divorce was finalised maybe they could sort things out.

306. Hell Hath No Fury

Authors' note: Long chapter with the Hogwarts Crew! Enjoy! And please review!

The few days between Katie's discovery of Jemima stealing her ring and the Quidditch match passed by quickly. Katie had brewed her potion and stowed it away to pour in Jemima's drink at exactly the right moment. Every time she thought of finding her ring in Jemima's bag, Katie grew angrier.

After today, Jemima would know that you could not mess with a Malfoy and hope to get away with it.

She also knew her sister and Zander were still not speaking. He must be completely thick headed, Katie thought scornfully. It was obvious that Celia and Sebastian were meeting on the side.

But, Katie could not worry about that right now. She had to worry about her plan to get back at Jemima and her little minion, Piper. Everyone seemed to think Ashley was the smart one, but Katie knew her sister could never have planned something as complex as this.

She looked at the little bottle once more before stuffing it into the pocket of her jeans. "What was that?" a voice startled her.

Katie turned to see Lindsey. "Nothing," she replied curtly.

"Why won't you talk to me?" Lindsey asked.

Katie shrugged. "We're not friends anymore, are we?"

"Erin said you've been talking to her lately," Lindsey said. "Are you in a strop with Jemima?"

Katie looked at her. She did not know if she could trust Lindsey anymore. "Are you going to the match then?" Katie asked instead.

"Of course," Lindsey said.

"Linds," Katie said. "I'm---I'm sorry for the way I behaved you know. When we first got here and I threw you overboard for Jemima and Piper."

Lindsey stared at her. "What?"

"You heard," Katie said. "I don't apologise very often, you know."

"Is this a trick?" Lindsey asked suspiciously.

Katie shook her head. "No."

"You are mad at Jemima, then," Lindsey deduced. "Otherwise you wouldn't be talking to me."

Katie rolled her eyes. "I don't really have time for this, Lindsey."

"Well you can't blame me for not trusting you," Lindsey pointed out.

"True," Katie admitted, grabbing her cloak and scarf.

Lindsey looked at her for a long moment. "You really want us to be friends again?"

Katie nodded. "Yes, of course. You're a lot more loyal than some of my other 'friends'."

"I am?" Lindsey asked, confused. "I mean... of course I am."

Katie laughed. "We'll talk more at the party tonight. Okay?"

"Sure..." Lindsey looked at her gratefully. "It'll be fun to hang out again."

Katie checked her reflection in the mirror. "How are Tristan and Erin doing?" she asked.

"They're so cute together," Lindsey replied.

"Absolutely," Katie agreed. "A much better pair than he and Jemima."

"Why do you hate her now?" Lindsey asked.

"Hate her?" Katie laughed. "Oh, Lindsey...you'll find out soon enough. I promise you that."

A slow smile spread across Lindsey's face. "What did she do to you? You can tell me."

Katie was dying to tell someone about this and she figured Lindsey was as good as anyone. She checked to make sure that they were the only ones in the room. She sat Lindsey down on the edge of her bed and related the whole story to her.

"She actually STOLE your ring?" Lindsey asked in disbelief. "But why would she want YOUR family heirloom?"

"Because she is a small, pitiful girl who thinks she can take anything she wants," Katie replied. "But, I'm going to get her back for this."

"I can't wait to see it," Lindsey said gleefully.

"Just make sure you're at the party," Katie told her.

"I wouldn't miss our victory party," Lindsey replied.

Katie smiled. If everything went according to plan, it would also be HER victory party.

"Oh, Linds?" Katie said as Lindsey opened the door.

"Yes?" Lindsey asked.

"Don't ever cross me again," Katie said sweetly.

The smile on Lindsey's face faltered a bit. "Um--right."

"See you in a bit," Katie said angelically.

Lindsey hurried out of the room, leaving Katie alone.

Katie finished getting ready and headed downstairs to the common room. Jemima and Piper were sitting by the fire and Jemima appeared upset about something.

"Hi, Jem," Katie said. "What's wrong?"

Jemima looked as if she were about to say something but shook her head. "Nothing, Katherine. What took you so long? The game is going to start in a few minutes."

Katie tossed her hair over her shoulder. "I wanted to look my best. I'm sorry, Jem."

"Let's go," Jemima muttered.

Katie nodded and together, the three of them set off for the Quidditch pitch. Piper complained about having to sit out in the cold to watch a boring match.

"It's not boring," Katie contradicted. "It's going to be fun when we cream Gryffindor."

"Whatever," Piper said dismissively. "I just wish they played indoors or at least during the summer."

Katie rolled her eyes. She was glad after today; she probably wouldn't have to put up with Piper's whining anymore.

"Piper, we don't have school in the summer," Jemima pointed out. "Why would they play school matches during the summer?"

"Because it's WARMER," Piper said.

"Bubblehead," Katie muttered under her breath.

"What?" Piper turned and glared at her. "What did you call me?"

"Nothing," Katie said innocently.

"Come ON," Jemima said impatiently. "We're going to miss the start of the game. And I want to be sure my two blokesnotice me."

"They definitely will," Piper said loyally.

"I think Brendan's a bit cuter," she said. "More my style..."

"And richer," Piper pointed out.

"And just all around better," Jemima said. She looked over at Katie, who seemed deep in thought. "Katherine!"

"Yes?" Katie replied.

"You aren't paying attention," she said snappishly.

Katie quickened her step to catch up to the older girls. She didn't really have to pay attention, she thought bitterly. Everything Jemima said was about Jemima herself. "Sorry, Jem. I think Brendan's a great choice too."

"I'll talk to him today then," Jemima tossed her long hair back.

In the Gryffindor stands, Ashley reluctantly sat down. Brittany rubbed her hands together for warmth. "Let's put a heating charm on our seats," Brittany suggested.

Ashley nodded. "Good thing we just learned those."

"I hope Evan can see my sign from the sky," Brittany said while Ashley did the warming charm.

Ashley shook her head. "I think a Muggle plane could see your sign."

Brittany laughed. "I worked really hard on it and I want him to know I support him. It's just too bad I couldn't put on there what a big jerk my cousin is."

Ashley didn't want to talk about Zander. "I just wish it wasn't so cold."

"The heating charm will help," Brittany said. She pulled her Omnioculars from her bag and scanned the crowd. Sure enough, she caught sight of Celia.

Brittany's eyes narrowed as she saw Celia lean over and point to Zander, and laugh with the person next to her.

"Evil cow," Brittany muttered.

"What?" Ashley asked.

"Conniving Celia." Brittany said handing the Omnioculars to her friend.

Ashley shook her head. "I don't care about her. Whatever she does now... it's up to Zander."

Brittany nodded. "He's going to feel like such an idiot when he sees how right we were about her."

"I don't care," Ashley said.

Brittany did not believe that for a moment, but she also knew how hurt Ashley was that Zander hadn't believed her. Zander was going to have to grovel to get back into their good graces. Brittany looked over at the faculty stands and saw a sixth year Gryffindor preparing to announce the match. "I bet I could do that."

Ashley followed Brittany's gaze and laughed. "Announce? Brittany you know nothing about Quidditch."

"I could learn," Brittany said. "I think it would be a fun job."

"You would certainly be colourful," Ashley commented.

"So you think I'd be good at it?" Brittany asked.

Ashley nodded. "Go for it."

Brittany beamed at her.

"You can talk to my mum about it," Ashley said. "She's in charge of setting all that up."

"I will," Brittany nodded. "After we WIN!"

Just outside the pitch, Zander was pacing. He was beyond nervous and he wanted nothing more than to run to the loo and throw up.

"Are you all right?" Jack Sloper peered at him.

Zander jumped. "Um, what?"

"You better get yourself together," Jack told him.

Zander nodded and reassured the Gryffindor captain that he would be ready to go when the match started.

"Now," Jack said. "We go out there, and play like we've been playing. We're a good team."

"Better than the Slytherins," Evan chimed in.

"That goes without saying," Jack replied.

The team sat down after Jack motioned for them all to gather around. He told them to take out their playbooks and Zander reached into his pocket for his, but was dismayed to find it was empty. "Murray?" Jack called out. "Is there a problem?"

"I uh... no..." Zander said, reaching for his bag.

Jack folded his arms and watched as Zander searched his bag. He had the playbook just that morning at breakfast with Celia.

"What is it, Murray?" Jack asked impatiently.

"I-I can't find mine," Zander replied helplessly. "Um---can I just look on with Evan?"

"What did you do with it?" Jack asked.

Zander wracked his brain trying to retrace his steps. He was in the Great Hall this morning, eating breakfast and going over the playbook when Celia had come up to surprise him. She had given him a kiss hello and then asked if he would go and grab her a bottle of syrup for her pancakes. He had left her for only a minute.

"Well?" Jack asked impatiently. "That has ALL our plays in it, Murray. If you've lost it or it was stolen--"

"I think I know where it is," Zander said standing up. "I'll---I'll be right back."

"You better RUN," Jack snapped at him.

Zander barely heard him as he hurried out of the tent and toward the stands. He just hoped his instincts were wrong here. Celia could not have betrayed him like this.

He felt a bit odd heading into the Hufflepuff stands in his Gryffindor Quidditch robes, but he spotted Celia quickly.

"Zander!" Celia exclaimed in surprise. "What on earth are you doing up here?"

"Do you have my playbook?" he asked her directly.

"Your what?" Celia asked innocently.

"My playbook," he said. "I had it at breakfast when you came over..."

Celia went to put her arms around him. "I have no idea what you're talking about."

"Just tell me if you took it," Zander said.

Celia frowned. "Youthink I would do something like that?"

"I don't know," Zander said. "Would you?"

Celia sighed. She was so sick and tired of having to pretend that she liked this loser. Besides, Sebastian had the playbook. The match was going to start in minutes and there's nothing Zander could do. Celia smiled slyly at him. "You had better get down to the pitch. You're about to get your arse handed to you on a silver plate."

Zander gaped at her. "What?"

Celia laughed. "You heard."

Zander shook his head. "So you've been playing around with me?"

Celia touched his cheek. "Yes, but you really did make it way too easy."

Zander pushed her hand away. "So Ashley was right about you."

Celia giggled again. "Malfoy."

"I don’t' believe this," Zander muttered.

Celia pecked him on the cheek. "I should say good luck, but I really don't think you have any chance at all."

Zander shook his head. "You're disgusting."

"If you'll excuse me," Celia said. "I have to go and give Sebastian a good luck kiss."

Zander gaped at her as she turned and sauntered away. How the hell was he going back to face Jack Sloper?

He could not believe that he had been so stupid in regards to Celia. He thought she had actually fancied him. But, it had all been a joke to her.

He felt awful- especially when Ashley popped into his thoughts. He'd treated her so badly in favour of Celia.

She and Brittany had every right to hate him for what he had done and how he had treated them. Ashley, the sweetest and most honest person he knew. She had tried to tell him the truth, but he did not want to listen.

She had even gotten Harry Potter's broom for him to ride! And he had thrown that all away for a girl who was laughing at him probably right at that moment.

"Zander Murray," a loud voice boomed throughout the pitch. "Please report to the Gryffindor tent immediately."

He felt himself go pale but stood up straight and headed to where his team mates were gathering. He had gotten himself into this mess and now he had to face up to it.

Zander hurried back to the tent; the dread increasing in him with each step.

"Well?" Jack demanded.

Zander looked down at the ground. "Someone stole my playbook," he said quietly.

"WHAT?" Jack shouted. "How could you let this happen, Murray?"

Zander knew he had to come clean to his team-mates. He owed them that much. He told them about what had happened at breakfast.

"Bloody hell, Murray!" Jack exploded. "That girl was at our practices!"

"I know," Zander kicked at the ground with his foot. "If you don't want me in the game, I understand."

Jack thought about this for a few moments. "Okay---okay. This isn't the end of the world. We --we'll just have to do something different."

"Like what?" Evan asked.

Jack shook his head. "I've no idea."

Zander had never felt more miserable. This was his entire fault.

Jack told them all to gather around and they worked on a quick game plan. Unfortunately, the announcer called the teams to the pitch. Evan looked sympathetically at Zander. "Shake it off, mate."

"I'll try," Zander sighed. "I think I just cost us the match."

"It's not over yet," Evan reassured him.

Zander just nodded glumly.

"Just forget about everything and play," Evan told his friend. "Celia's not worth this, mate."

"She's a snake," Zander said angrily.

Evan nodded. "And now you have to listen to Brit telling you that she was right all along."

Zander rolled his eyes. "You'll have to distract her."

Evan smiled. "I know just what to do."

"Thanks," Zander said but he couldn't muster any enthusiasm.

The student announcer called the names of the Slytherin team and each player took to the sky while the Gryffindor team watched.

"Zander looks worried," Brittany reported to Ashley, who was doodling in her sketchbook.

"I don't care," Ashley said quietly.

"Sorry," Brittany replied. "You know... you really don't have to stay out here if you don't want to. If Evan wasn't playing, I certainly wouldn't be here."

Ashley looked up from her sketchbook. "You'd be out here for Zander. He's your cousin, Brit."

"Lately he's been a real prat," Brittany replied.

"Let Celia deal with it," Ashley said looking up at the sky as the match began.

Brittany used her Omnioculars to look for the other girl. "She's sitting with the Slytherins!"

"What?" Ashley asked in surprise.

"She's sitting right in with them," Brittany said, her voice filled with contempt.

Ashley took the Omnioculars from her friend and saw Celia sitting with Jemima, Piper, and---Katie.

Ashley studied her sister through the eyewear- she knew that look all too well. "Katie's plotting something."

"How can you tell?" Brittany asked.

"She's my sister," Ashley replied. "I’ve grown up seeing her give that look."

Brittany laughed. "I see."

"I wonder who she's plotting against," Ashley handed the Omnioculars back to Brittany. "I haven't spoken to her all week."

"Maybe we should be glad that we don't know," Brittany said thoughtfully. "We could be accessories after the fact."

Ashley had to smile.

Her smile faltered when the Slytherin crowd started cheering enthusiastically. The announcer called out the news that the Slytherins had scored.

"No," Brittany groaned. "Come on EVAN!"

In the Slytherin stands, Katie turned and glared at Celia. The Hufflepuff girl had flitted into the stands not ten minutes ago and had announced for all to hear how she had single-handedly helped the Slytherin team.

And now she kept talking about how Sebastian was so into her, and what a fool she was making of Zander and the entire Gryffindor team. Katie wanted her team to win as badly as the rest of her housemates, but it would be a better victory if they'd won it for themselves.

Jemima glared at the Hufflepuff who kept squealing every time Sebastian flew near them. "Do you mind?"

Despite her feelings about Jemima now, Katie had to agree. "You are really shrill."

Celia sighed. "I'll have you know Sebastian wants me here."

"He didn't tell me that," Jemima replied.

"Go sit with the other losers in your house," Piper said waving a hand at Celia.

Celia glared at the three of them. "I should have been here in Slytherin!"

"The Sorting Hat is never wrong," Katie said smiling sweetly at her. "You heard the Headmaster.”

Celia gave her a nasty look. "Your sister is pathetic, you know."

Katie stood up and rounded on the older girl. She glowered at her. "What did you just say?"

"Your sister," Celia said. "Pathetic. Boring... and mousy."

Katie grabbed the girl's scarf and pulled tightly on it. "You listen to me and you listen well. You. Will. Never. Talk. About. My. Family. Period."

Celia's eyes grew wide as she tried to pull away.

"You understand me?" Katie asked.

"Fine..." Celia choked out.

"Good," Katie smiled in satisfaction. She could say what she wanted to about her sister, but she'd be damned if anyone else would say anything derogatory about her or any member of her family.

Celia pulled away from Katie and nearly fell over a group of second years in her haste to get away.

"Nice work, Katherine," Jemima said.

Katie snorted and sat back down;

"My head hurts from having to listen to that loser," Piper said putting her palm to her forehead.

"Mine too," Jemima said. "Go get us a headache cure."

Katie could not believe Piper and Jemima thought of her as a servant they could order around. But, this could work to her advantage. "Will you just watch my bag?" Katie asked. "I have the last of my face cream in there and I don't want ANYTHING to happen to it before my Aunt Lavender sends me a new supply."

Jemima turned and glared at her. "You were supposed to get me some of that."

Katie reached into her bag. "Well, since tonight is going to be so big for you, why don't you use the last of it? We want you to look your best, Jem."

The scowl on Jemima's face melted away. "That's very lovely of you, Katherine."

Katie handed the small bottle to her. "You deserve it, Jemima. You really, really do."

"I just wish it wasn't so cold," Jemima grumbled.

"I'll get some hot chocolate while I'm getting your headache cure," Katie said.

"It's the least you could do," Piper muttered as Katie walked away.

Jemima looked at the bottle. "This is just what I need for tonight."

Piper watched as Jemima rubbed it into her face. "Are you sure you should use that stuff?

"You saw how beautiful Katherine's skin looked after she put this on," Jemima said. "Besides, it's from Lavender Brown. For a Mudblood, she's actually a good designer."

"Don't let Katie hear you say that," Piper cautioned. "Hey... did you ever find that ring?"

"No," Jemima said frowning. "But it will turn up."

"You think she knows?" Piper asked.

Jemima turned thoughtful for a moment. She had wondered that as well. "Katherine's still asking about it, remember? I don't think she knows that I have it."

"I hope not," Piper replied.

"I don't really care about Katherine," Jemima said. "She's a means to an end. We'll use her to get what we want. Besides, she's makes a good errand girl."

Piper laughed. "Totally."

Meanwhile, Zander was doing everything he could do to concentrate on the match. But, it was hard to do, what with Sebastian flying near him and making snide comments.

"I knew you were going for this play," Sebastian gloated. "And the one before that, too."

Zander pointed his broom in the opposite direction. He could hear Ashley's voice in his head telling him to ignore the Slytherin.

He still couldn't get past how badly he had treated her.

"Hey, Murray?" Sebastian cut into his thoughts. "Watch this. I'm going to fly by your girlfriend and show her how a real bloke flies."

Zander could care less what Sebastian did to impress Celia. But, Sebastian was not flying toward Celia. He was flying toward the Gryffindor stands---Ashley.

"Hey!" Zander shouted angrily. "Leave her alone!"

Sebastian turned and grinned at him.

"Watch this, Murray!" he said, nearly flying into the stands.

Ashley looked up from her sketchbook just in time to see Sebastian heading straight for her.

"ASH!" Brittany screamed. "DUCK!"

Ashley's breath caught in her throat just as Sebastian flew right over her head. Her heart felt like it was beating as fast a drum.

"JERK!" Brittany shouted after him as Sebastian flew back into the arena.

"Ash, are you okay?" Zander asked hovering in front of her.

"Fine..." Ashley replied, taking a deep breath to slow her racing heart.

Zander took off after Sebastian.

"Don't bother!" Ashley shouted after him. "Just PLAY!"

If Zander had needed motivation to get out of his funk and concentrate on the match, Sebastian had just given it to him.

"Jerk," he muttered flying back into the pitch.

Despite the Slytherins knowing most of their plays, the Gryffindors managed to score and keep the match close. Zander kept his eye out for the Snitch.

"Come on," he said, his eyes scanning the field for the tiny golden ball.

Katie carried the cups of hot chocolate back to Piper and Jemima, who of course complained about how long she'd taken.

"I think my hands froze off," Jemima said crossly. "Is that lotion working yet?"

Katie hid her smirk. "Of course. You're skin is absolutely luminous."

"It does look a bit better," Piper said, examining Jemima's face.

Jemima grinned. "Really?"

"Oh absolutely," Katie said, pulling her cloak more tightly around her.

"Oh, you missed it," Piper told her. "Sebastian nearly took your sister's head off."

"What?" Katie asked. "Is she all right?"

Piper rolled her eyes. "Yes, she's fine. He just did it to get a rise out of that loser Zander Murray."

"Well it didn't do any good," Jemima said snappishly. "Gryffindor's winning now."

"Really?" Katie asked.

"Yes," Jemima said crossly.

Katie wished they would hurry up and finish this match. She was ready for her revenge to play out and she was bored with Quidditch.

The next hour seemed to drag by for everyone. Slytherin scored again, several times, and Gryffindor seemed to be falling apart up in the field.

"I don't have a good feeling about this," Brittany whispered to Ashley.

"Slytherin is all over them," Ashley said, shaking her head.

Evan managed to score another 10 points and Brittany clapped enthusiastically. "If he can do that about six more times, we could be back in this."

"It's as if Slytherin knows all their plays and what they're going to do," Ashley replied with a sigh. She had to admit she was quite bored.

Brittany focused her Omnioculars on the Slytherin keeper--Sebastian. "He sees the Snitch! Oh no!"

Ashley crossed her arms as Sebastian flattened himself against his broom. Zander was on the other side of the pitch. "It's over."

The Gryffindors watched in silence and the Slytherins cheered when Sebastian caught the Snitch.

"So lame," Brittany said in disappointment.

"Come on," Ashley said gathering her sketchbook. "Let's go inside."

"I'll meet Evan in there," Brittany huddled against her. "I'm so cold I can hardly feel my feet."

Ashley nodded. "We can get some hot chocolate, too."

"Good idea," Brittany said. "Are... are you going to say anything to Zander?"

Ashley shook her head. "There's nothing left to say."

"Are you still mad at him?" Brittany asked.

"I'm not mad," Ashley said truthfully. "I'm disappointed in him. He didn't believe me."

Brittany nodded as they entered the castle.

"What about you?" Ashley asked her friend.

Brittany shrugged. "I don't know. I think he's a dork all the time."

Ashley started to laugh, but felt a tapping on her shoulder. She turned to see the boy in question. "Zander?"

"Hi," Zander said, his face red. Whether it was from shame or embarrassment, Ashley didn't know.

"Shouldn't you be commiserating with the team?" Brittany asked.

"It's my fault we lost," Zander said. "Celia stole my playbook this morning."

"So that's why they seemed to know every move you lot were going to make," Brittany said nodding.

"Yeah," Zander ran his hand through his windblown hair. "Ash... I can I talk to you for a minute?"

Brittany took Ashley's sketchbook. "I'll see you upstairs."

"No," Ashley shook her head. "I don't have anything to say right now, Zander."

"Please?" Zander asked. "Just for a minute."

"No," Ashley said again. "I don't want to talk to you."

Zander sighed. He knew that he deserved this, but he just wanted to apologise. "You were right about her. I should have believed you from the start."

"Yes you should have," Ashley said. "I wouldn't have said anything just to hurt you."

Zander nodded. "I know that. I was an idiot, Ash. I am so sorry."

Ashley just shook her head. "I have to go."

Zander felt horrible as he saw the look on Ashley's face. He had known she wasn't just going to forgive him like that. "What can I do to make up for this?" he asked.

"I don't know," Ashley said. "Right now... I just don't know."

Zander nodded. "Okay."

"I'll see you later, Brit." Ashley said, before taking off for the Gryffindor Common room.

Zander looked at his cousin. "Go ahead and say it."

"Do I have to?" Brittany asked pointedly.

Zander shook his head. "No."

Brittany shrugged. "You'll have to make it up to her."

Zander sat down on the bottom step. "I just---I was so messed up over what happened between us this past summer and how it ended. Then, we get here, and there's a girl that actually wants to be with me."

Brittany felt bad for her cousin. "We didn't know she was like that... she never let on until recently."

"She was playing me this whole time," Zander said putting his head in his hands.

Brittany patted him on the shoulder. "Its okay, Zander."

"Ashley's right to hate me," Zander said.

"She doesn't hate you," Brittany replied.

"Did you see the look on her face just then?" Zander asked. "She hates me."

"No, she doesn't," Brittany said firmly. "She's just hurt right now."

Zander looked at his cousin. "So what should I do? "

"Give her a little space," Brittany said thoughtfully. "And a little time."

"I suppose I can do that," Zander said.

"What's Jack going to say to you?" Brittany asked ruefully.

Zander shuddered. "I don't even want to think about it, Brit. But, I'll take it. I mean, I was the idiot who invited Celia to our practises and left her alone with the playbook."

"Yeah," Brittany nodded. "You were."

"I'm sorry for how I treated you too," Zander said honestly.

"I'm used to it," Brittany bumped his shoulder. "And you know what? I'm freezing. I've got to go inside."

Zander nodded. "I should get back to the pitch. I have to go and face Jack."

"Good luck," Brittany told him. "And tell Evan I'm waiting for him in the common room."

"I will," Zander promised.

He headed back with dragging feet for the pitch. He knew he was in for the arse reaming of his life.

He also knew he deserved it after what he had done. He had let his teammates and friends down.

"MURRAY!" Jack shouted. "Get in here!"

Zander took a deep breath before he entered the Gryffindor tent.

"WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED?" Jack asked angrily.

Zander stood in front of his teammates and told them the whole story.

"I should have known better," Zander said looking at each of them. "I'm sorry."

Jack was still pissed but he seemed to have calmed down. "You have to be more careful, Murray. Don't ever, EVER leave your playbook out."

Zander nodded. "I'm going to guard it with my life."

"Good," Jack said tersely. "They're going to start scouting soon, and I can't afford another loss like this if I am going to play professionally."

"He should be glad that Saffron Potter's graduated and is no longer captain," Jack Sloper's fellow seventh year, Holly Dylan commented.

Jack glared at her. "She'd have had my head on a platter, and she'd be right to do it. Next practise, tomorrow. Everyone be there."

While the Gryffindors were dealing with the loss, the Slytherins were just starting their victory party.

"Brendan's over there," Piper told Jemima. "You should go talk to him."

"I'm just going to freshen up first," Jemima said quickly, handing Piper her glass. "Keep an eye on him for me."

Katie pushed her fringe out of her eyes. "Your skin is starting to glow, Jem."

Jemima smiled. "Of course it is."

"It looks great," Katie replied. "Go talk to him now, while it's looking like that."

Jemima looked in Brendan's direction. "Okay. I think I will."

Katie hid her smile from Piper as Jemima tossed her hair back and headed towards Brendan.

Jemima tapped the boy on the shoulder. "Brendan..."

The older boy turned around. "Hi... uh... Jennifer, right?"

Jemima laughed. "No, silly boy. Jemima."

"Yeah... you're friends with Katie, right?" Brendan asked. "Katie Malfoy?"

Jemima could not believe this. What did this older boy care about a pitiful first-year like Katherine?

"I'm taken her under my wing," Jemima said trying to keep the annoyance out of her voice.

"She's pretty cool," Brendan replied.

"She's eleven," Jemima said tersely.

Brendan shrugged. "She's just cool."

Jemima forced a smile. "Yes---she's fantastic."

Brendan smiled at her, and then his expression suddenly changed. "Whoa...."

Jemima thought he was reacting to her luminescent skin. She smiled flirtatiously at him.

"What IS that?" he asked, his eyes widening.

"What?" Jemima asked stepping closer.

"That..." Brendan backed away. "Gross!"

A few of the other Slytherins turned to see what the commotion was about. Jemima watched in horror as the older boys recoiled in horror. "What?" she demanded.

Katie fought back her laughter as Piper gasped loudly. "Jem!"

Jemima turned. "What---what is it? Is there something wrong? Do I have something in my teeth? My hair?"

"Your face!" Piper screeched.

"What?" Jemima demanded. She touched her face and it felt scaly and bumpy. "W-what's wrong with my face?"

"Surprise," Katie said, coming forward and pulling her Malfoy ring out from under her robes.

Jemima gaped at her. "K-Katherine?"

"You stole my ring," Katie narrowed her eyes at her former friend. "How DARE you!"

Jemima tried to cover her face to avoid the snickers from her fellow Slytherins. "I didn't steal your ring!"

"Yes you did," Katie said. "I found it in your bag. I'm not stupid, Jemima."

Erin stepped forward with Tristan. "Oh, Jemima. You're looking a little...red...in the face..."

"You!" Jemima screamed. "Evil, evil BITCH!"

Erin shook her head. "That would be you, Jemima."

"You're sick," Katie said. "I trusted you, and thought you were my friend. Instead, you stole from me."

"I. Did. Not. Take. Your. Bloody. Ring," Jemima seethed.

"Sure you didn't," Katie said sarcastically. "You lying snake."

"What did you do to me?" Jemima demanded. "Fix this!"

Katie shook her head. "You're getting what you deserve, Jemima."

Jemima glared at her. "You'll pay for this, Katherine. Mark my words."

"I'm really scared," Katie smirked at her. "All you do is gossip and spread rumours. What are you going to do?"

Jemima let out a yell before she hurried upstairs.

Piper shook her head. "Jem has been so good to you, Katie. How could you do this to her?"

"Good to me?" Katie asked in disbelief. "She used me and she stole MY ring. A ring that she knew meant a lot to me, yet she took it anyway."

"You left it on the table," Piper said.

"That doesn't mean Jemima should have taken it!" Erin retorted. "Piper, can't you think for yourself?"

"Shut it, you clone," Piper retorted.

Erin laughed. "Clone? That's a bit like the pot calling the kettle black, isn't it? You've never had an original thought that Jemima didn't tell you first."

"Well..." Piper seemed at a loss for words. "You're stupid. And poor."

Erin rolled her eyes. "Nice."

"Well you're lame," Katie retorted. "And completely unimaginative. And you better leave before the same thing that happened to Jemima happens to you."

Piper opened her mouth to say something, but thought better of it and turned on her heel. She stalked upstairs to check on Jemima.

Katie looked at Erin. "Well, that went well."

"As well as you expected," Erin said with a grin.

Katie grinned. "I love it when that happens."

"What did you do to her?" Lindsey asked.

Katie shrugged. "I might have----put a few special things into some lotion that I'd said came from my aunt Lavender's boutique."

"Evil," Lindsey said. "No wonder you're such a great Slytherin."

Katie beamed at her. "Thanks, Linds."

"She deserved that," Brendan said.

Tristan put his arm around Erin. "And more. Way to go, Katie."

Katie beamed. "Thanks."

"Great day to be a Slytherin," Erin said.

Sebastian was sitting on the other side of the common room watching the whole situation go down. "She's not bad," he said to Celia.

"Who?" Celia asked, still excited to be here.

"Malfoy," Sebastian said. "That was pretty funny."

"I suppose," Celia said shrugging.

"What's wrong with you?" Sebastian frowned at her.

"Nothing," Celia said moving closer to him.

"You don't have to put up with Murray anymore so you can stop sulking about that," Sebastian told her.

"I'm not sulking," Celia argued. "I just thought we'd have some time alone."

"I'm celebrating my win," Sebastian said. "In fact, I should be over there."

"Oh," Celia said trying to hide her disappointment.

"You coming?" he asked.

Celia nodded and reacher for his hand.

"There's the champ," Tristan said with a grin. "Way to go."

"Thanks," Sebastian said grinning at his friends. He put his arm around Celia. "And we have to thank my secret weapon here."

"What did she do?" Erin asked.

Celia grinned proudly. "I spied on the Gryffindor team for Seb."

"Oh," Erin said, unimpressed.

"You cheated," Katie said looking at the girl disdainfully.

"Shut it, Malfoy," Celia replied hotly.

"Why are you even here?" Katie asked. "You're a Hufflepuff and this is the Slytherin common room."

"I was invited," Celia informed her coldly. "You're just a first year, why do you care?"

"Cool it, Celia," Sebastian said to his girlfriend.

Katie snorted and turned away from the older girl.

"She's about as annoying as her sister," Celia mumbled.

"What?" Katie asked dangerously, spinning back around.

Celia was not going to back down from this snot-nosed first-year in front of Sebastian. "And your grandmother, too. Mousy, annoying, goody-two shoes..."

Katie's eyes flared angrily. "You take that back!"

"No," Celia countered.

"Take it back," Katie growled. "You're such a Slytherin wannabe. You could never handle yourself here."

"At least I'm a pure-blood," Celia said. "You and your family of mongrels..."

Katie nearly slapped the girl. As it was Lindsey had to hold her back.

"I think your girlfriend should go," Erin said to Sebastian.

Sebastian was glaring at Celia. "Come on," he said angrily.

Katie took a deep breath and tried to keep her anger in check.

"She's a jerk," Lindsey said. "Don't worry about her."

"And I happen to think your family's pretty great,' Erin said. "Your grandmother helped my dad find a new job."

"She did?" Katie asked. "I didn't know that."

Erin nodded. "So don't you pay any mind to what a wannabe like Celia says."

"Weren't we having a party?" Tristan asked, putting an arm around Erin.

"Yes!" Erin exclaimed. "Someone turn on the music!"

Katie watched Tristan and Erin retreat to a corner and she went and got herself something to drink. She was still angry at Celia, and as she approached the fireplace one of the torches on the wall sparked and fizzled out.

She hated when people said something bad about her family. She loved them with all of her heart and she would be damned if anyone was going to say something disparaging about them.

"Are you okay?" Lindsey asked, eyeing the torch. "Did you do that?"

Katie looked at her friend. "What? Oh--yeah, I suppose."

"Wandless magic?" Lindsey was impressed.

Katie smiled. She'd have to tell her mother about this.

"Cool," Lindsey also took something to drink. "So um... what do you think Sebastian's saying to Celia?"

"I don't know," Katie said thoughtfully. "I'm just glad he got her out of here when he did. I wanted to smack her."

"I thought you were," Lindsey said. "That's why I held you back. I didn't want you getting detention for the likes of her. She's a Hufflepuff."

"Thanks, Linds," Katie said. "What a night."

Lindsey grinned at her. "It was brilliant, what you did to Jemima."

"It was pretty great, wasn't it?" Katie asked grinning back at her.

"Brilliant," Lindsey said again.

"I think I really established myself tonight," Katie said proudly. "I feel like this is just the beginning."

Lindsey nodded. "Erin's really nice, you know. I'm glad you're friends with her now."

"Me too," Katie agreed.

Across the castle, in Gryffindor, the house was lamenting its loss that day. "We'll get them next time," Evan said, trying to cheer Zander up.

At the moment, Zander did not care about the match. He wanted to talk to someone about everything that had happened. But, the person he wanted to tell these things to, didn't want to talk to him.

Ashley was in the corner, writing to James. His last letter to her had been about a week ago and she was overdue in sending him one back.

With everything that had gone on with Celia, she had been caught up in her anger toward Zander. It was nice to think about something else. Something that didn't hurt or cause her pain.

"He feels terrible," Brittany said coming to sit beside her friend.

"What?" Ashley asked distractedly.

"Zander," Brittany said motioning to her where Zander was sitting.

"I don't want to talk about Zander right now," Ashley said. "I'm writing to James."

Brittany smiled. "You are?"

Ashley blushed a bit. "He's been really sweet lately."

"He has?" Brittany asked eagerly.

"Yeah," Ashley nodded. "Here, you can read his last letter."

Brittany squealed and took the letter from her friend.

Zander glanced over at his cousin and sighed. Apparently Brittany had forgotten the reason she'd gone over to Ashley in the first place.

Brittany finished reading the letter and handed it back to Ashley. "That's so sweet, Ash."

"He is awfully nice," Ashley replied. "I really like him."

"I'm glad," Brittany said. "I think the feeling is mutual after reading that letter."

Ashley blushed again. "I don't think I can really do anything with him... not date wise. Not for another couple of years. But it'd be nice to see him over summer hols."

Brittany sobered as she looked across the room at Zander. "Um, Ashley...I know you don't want to talk about Zander, but I was wondering...look, I know he was wrong and he knows he was wrong, but can't you just give him five minutes? Just hear him out..."

Ashley sighed.

"For me?" Brittany asked. "Come on..."

"Fine," Ashley replied.

Brittany clapped her hands together. "Thank you. I'll just go and get him then."

Ashley set her letter aside as Zander approached.

"Hey," Zander said quietly.

"Hi," Ashley said coolly.

Zander took Brittany's vacant seat. "I explained things to the team."

"Good," Ashley replied.

"They're disappointed," Zander said. "But not as disappointed as I am in myself."

Ashley just shrugged.

"You don't understand," Zander tried to explain. "This last summer---it was as if I had everything I always wanted. And things got messed up with Lucy and your parents."

"This has nothing to do with last summer," Ashley pointed out.

"I'm not saying it does," Zander said hastily. "I just want you to see where I was coming from. You---you said you weren't ready to date and I didn't like your decision, but I went along. Then, you meet that bloke, James, and it's like everything you told me seemed like a lie. Maybe you were ready to date and it just wasn't with me."

"I'm not dating James," Ashley replied. "I like him, but that's as far as it goes for now."

Zander nodded. "And when we came back here, there was Celia. And she seemed to fancy me."

"Zander--" Ashley sighed. "I don't want to talk about all this."

Zander held up his hand. "I just wanted to tell you where it came from. That's all. And why---why I believed Celia over you. It was a stupid mistake and I wish I could change it. I know that you would never lie to me. I just hope that one day, we can be friends again."

Ashley knew that was likely but didn't want to say so at the moment. "Right..."

"And if it makes you feel any better," Zander said. "I have to clean up the locker rooms after every practice from now until the end of the season...without magic."

"Who decided that?" Ashley asked curiously.

"Jack," Zander replied. "You can come and watch if you want. You can tell me if I miss a spot."

Ashley shook her head. "That's okay."

"You sure?" Zander asked. "You'll get to see me at my worst. Jack even mentioned cleaning the floor with a toothbrush."

Ashley fiddled with her quill. "Really... that's okay."

"Brit finds out and she'll probably sell tickets," Zander mused.

Ashley looked up at him. Despite his explanation, she was still hurt and upset by what he had done. "I better get back to my letter."

Zander nodded. "I'll make this up to you, Ash. I promise."

"Fine," Ashley replied.

Zander stood up. "I'll see you."

"Sure," Ashley replied, turning away from him.

Zander walked back over to Evan and Brittany. "Hey," Brittany said. "How'd it go?"

"Not that great," he admitted.

Brittany sighed. "You two had better sort this out. I don't want to feel like the kid of divorced parents. I'm with you on weekends and with her during the week."

Zander rolled his eyes.

"They'll sort it out," Evan reassured her.

"I know," Brittany replied. "But in the meantime it's going to be rough for me."

"Poor baby," Evan teased.

Brittany pushed him aside. "It's not funny!"

"It's going to be this way for awhile," Zander said thoughtfully.

"Just let her figure it out," Evan said. "You know Ash will forgive you."

Brittany nodded. "Evan's right."

Evan put his arm around her. "How about we slip into the kitchens and nick a little food?"

"Okay," Brittany replied. "I am hungry."

"I need some comfort food," Evan joked.

"Absolutely," Brittany agreed. "I hate when Mummy and Daddy fight."

"I'm thinking more of our loss today," Evan said ruefully.

"Must everything always revolve around Quidditch?" Brittany asked morosely.

Evan kissed her cheek. "Not everything."

Brittany smiled. "Come on with you. Let's go."

Ashley finished up her letter and decided to head up to the Owlery to have Ophelia take it to James that day instead of waiting.

The Owlery was quiet and Ashley was glad for the solitude, or so she thought. She heard the sound of sniffling coming from somewhere. "Hello?" she called out uncertainly.

"Go away!" Celia called back.

"Celia?" Ashley asked in surprise.

Celia came out from behind the pillar and glared at Ashley as she wiped at her eyes.

"What are you doing up here?" Ashley asked.

"I wanted to be alone!" Celia retorted.

"Well the Owlery probably isn't the best place for that," Ashley rolled her eyes. "I'm just here to post a letter."

"Sebastian dumped me," Celia said, her lower lip trembling. "H-he was using me. That was all."

Despite what Celia had done to Zander, Ashley felt bad for her. "That's why you should never trust Slytherins."

"Your sister's in Slytherin," Celia pointed out.

"I know," Ashley replied. "And I love my sister but I don't always trust her."

Celia nodded. "That's how I felt---feel---about Sebastian."

Ashley looked at the other girl properly. "You know, Zander really fancied you."

Celia shook her head. "Not really. He's still hung up on you."

"We're just friends," Ashley replied. "Good friends- and I know he really liked you. He's really hurt by what you did."

"You are completely clueless," Celia said laughing bitterly.

Ashley rolled her eyes. "I'd rather be considered clueless than do what you did today."

"I'm going to get Sebastian back," Celia said determinedly. "I think he really loves me."

"If that's what makes you happy," Ashley attached her letter to Ophelia's leg.

"It will," Celia said. Ashley could practically see the wheels turning in the other girl's head.

"Good luck then," Ashley replied, watching Ophelia fly away with James's letter.

"I won't need it," Celia said determinedly.

"Good," Ashley said. "Then you won't bother Zander, ever again."

"I don't know what he sees in you," Celia said giving Ashley the once-over.

Ashley just rolled her eyes. "Just stay away from all of us."

Celia laughed before heading out of the Owlery.

Ashley headed back towards the Gryffindor common room. She thought she would do a bit of sketching before starting on her essay that was due in Charms that next week.

"Ashley!" Katie called after her. "Ashley! Wait!"

Ashley turned around and saw her sister. "Hey, Katie."

Katie was positively beaming and Ashley could not remember the last time she had seen her sister this happy. She doubted it was because of the Quidditch match. "I had the absolute best day!"

Ashley smiled at her sister's exuberance. "What happened?"

"First off," Katie said pulling the chain out from under her jumper. "I found my ring!"

"Where was it?" Ashley asked curiously.

"Jemima took it from me and paraded around with it behind my back," Katie said looking admiringly at the ring.

Ashley shook her head. "I told you..."

"It's okay," Katie said grinning at her sister. "Because I got her back. Oh, Merlin...did I ever get her back..."

"That doesn't sound good for Jemima," Ashley said wryly.

Katie told her sister the entire story and about what had happened at the party.

"Wow," Ashley replied. "She's really something else. Are you worried about what she'll try to do to you?"

Katie shrugged. "Let her try."

Despite what her sister had said and done over the last few months, Ashley had to admire her. Katie stood up for herself and didn't let anyone intimidate her. And Ashley also liked the fact that they hardly ever fought anymore.

Katie smiled. "I just wanted to tell you."

"I'm glad things worked out for you." Ashley told her.

"How's Zander holding up?" Katie asked.

Ashley shrugged. "All right, I suppose."

"Uh oh," Katie said. "What---you're still not speaking ?"

"Not exactly," Ashley replied.

"Want to talk about it?" Katie asked.

"I'm okay," Ashley replied. "I just sent a letter off to James, and I'm going to do some sketching before I start some homework."

Katie looked at her sister. "Um, you're not going to tell Mum or Dad about the ring, are you?"

"I won't say anything," Ashley promised. "But you do know they're probably going to find out sooner or later."

Katie grinned. "No way. I'm very sneaky."

"Which is why you're in Slytherin," Ashley teased.

Katie laughed. "Absolutely."

"I'll see you at dinner," Ashley said.

Katie gave her sister a hug.

"Good luck with Jemima," Ashley said.

Katie giggled. "She's going to need good luck with me."

Ashley was about to turn when she remembered something. "Mum told me you were having a bit of trouble with some of your reading."

Katie's smile faltered. "Oh---well, with History of Magic. The textbook is really hard for me."

"I already had those lessons," Ashley said. "I'd be happy to help you if you'd like to study in the library."

"Really?" Katie asked.

"Of course," Ashley said. "You're my sister and I want to help you get good marks."

Katie smiled. "I'd like that."

"How about tomorrow after lunch?" Ashley suggested.

"It's a date," Katie said.

"I'll see you later, then." Ashley gave her sister a hug. "I'm glad everything's working out for you."

"Me too," Katie said happily.

*** *** ***

307. Chapter 307--Don't Worry, Baby

Authors' note: Thanks for the response to the last chapter! A little break from the Hogwarts crew as this one goes back to the Weasley family--namely, Allie and Jon and their kidlets. Enjoy and please review!

Allison awoke with a start. She looked at the clock on the bedside table. She was going to be late if she didn't get a move on. She reluctantly pulled back the covers and felt a sharp pang in her stomach as she stood up.

"Ooooh," she rubbed the spot. "Just settle down, baby..."

"Mummy!" Adam called out from his bedroom.

"Just a minute, Adam," Allison winced as she pushed herself off the bed.

Allison bit her bottom lip as she tried to think of what this could be. Jon came out of the bathroom, a towel draped over his head. "I've got Adam, Al."

Jon did not look at his wife as he walked past her. "Adam, Daddy's coming."

Adam sleepily rubbed at his eyes and shook his head. "No, Daddy. Want Mummy!"

"Mummy's in bed." Jon told him.

"Sleepy Mummy," Adam said as Jon lifted him out of his bed.

"That's right," Jon replied. "What's wrong, buddy?"

"Em," Adam replied.

"Emma?" Jon asked. "What did she do?"

Adam's face scrunched up in anger. "Woke me up."

Jon smiled. "Did she jump on you again?"

Adam nodded. "Mean Em!"

"I'll talk to her, buddy." Jon said, carrying Adam into his and Allison's bedroom.

"Mummy?" Adam asked looking at his mother. Allison was lying back down, hugging a pillow to her.

"You all right, Al?" Jon asked.

Allison nodded and slowly arose. The pain was gone. She smiled as she looked at her husband and son. "What's going on?"

"Emma woke him up early again," Jon said. "Jumped on top of him."

Adam squirmed in Jon's arms and he set his son down. Adam toddled over to the bed and Allison picked him up. "We'll talk to her, Adam."

"Kay," Adam said, grinning at his mother.

Allison grinned back at him. "How about breakfast, my little guy?"

"I want cereal," Adam told her.

Allison tickled his side. "Okay, then."

"I'll get the girls up," Jon told her.

"Mean old Em's already up," Adam said.

"Adam, don't say that about your sister," Allison chided him gently.

"She jumped on me," Adam pointed out.

"I know she did," Allison replied. "But she's still your sister."

Allison carried Adam into the kitchen while Jon went to get the girls. Allison stopped walking as she felt another sharp pang.

"Mummy?" Adam asked.

Allison set her son down. "Baby---go---go and get your daddy for me, okay?"

"Kay," Adam said, running for Emma and Caroline's bedroom.

Emma and Caroline were just getting out of bed when Adam grabbed his father. "Daddy! Mummy needs you! NOW!"

"What?" Jon asked. "Girls... stay here and watch your brother."

Caroline's eyes grew large. "What? Daddy---"

"Just stay here," Jon told her, leaving the bedroom.

Allison was leaning against the wall clutching her stomach when Jon found her just outside the kitchen.

"Allie?" Jon asked leaning down.

Allison's face was pale and a trickle of sweat rolled down her neck. "The baby," she said. "It hurts."

Jon squeezed her hand. "I'll get Lizzy. Okay?"

"I'll be all right in a minute," Allison said.

"Al---" Jon protested.

"I'll be fine," Allison said, a bit sharply. "I just... for a moment I wasn't sure. I'm just crampy."

"Can I get you anything?" Jon asked.

"Just get the kids their breakfast for me," she said. "I'm going to lie back down."

Jon stood up and offered her his hand. He wanted to get Lizzy here to make sure nothing was wrong, but Allison would probably blow a gasket if he did that.

"Thanks," Allison said as he helped her back to their bedroom. "Just ten minutes."

Jon kissed her on the forehead. "Get some rest."

Allison nodded and turned on her side.

Jon gave her one last look before he walked down the hall to Caroline and Emma's room.

Allison was only about four months along and was now just barely starting to show, but sometimes she felt like she was about eight and a half months.

She wondered if perhaps she was spreading herself too thin. She was working at the pub, of course, and she was still pitching in to help her mother with the accounting at the studio.

There was also taking care of her three children. Allison never regarded that as a problem or as a job, but it was a lot of work.

It was surreal to think that in a few months, there would be a fourth member of their brood. Instinctively, Allison placed her hand on her stomach.

She and Jon weren't sure if they wanted to know ahead of time what the gender of their newest family member was.

Allison had a feeling it was a boy though. She and Jon said it would even things out---two girls and two boys. Allison did not care as long as the baby was healthy and happy.

She felt a bit dizzy and closed her eyes, rubbing her hand comfortingly over her stomach.

In the other room, Jon was trying to calm his three children. "She's fine. Just needs some rest."

"I'll take her some juice," Caroline said worriedly.

"You have to get ready for school," Jon told her. "Your mum's fine, Caroline. Really."

Caroline bit her lower lip. "Can I bring her some water, then?"

"Yes," Jon said taking pity on his oldest daughter. "Em, Adam...let's get you downstairs for breakfast."

"Kay," Adam replied as Emma bounced on the bed.

"Emma," Jon said grabbing her and throwing her over his shoulder. "You are too much, my love."

Emma shrieked with laughter. "Daddy!"

Caroline followed them downstairs and hurried to get her mother a glass of water. She wanted to see for herself that everything was okay.

They were still getting things packed up for the move to the new house- a lot of things had been brought there already, but a few things remained.

Caroline grabbed a glass from the cupboard and filled it with water. She glanced over at her father and saw the worried expression on his face.

"Daddy I'm scared," she confessed.

"It's okay, baby," Jon said patting her shoulder.

"But what if she goes to sleep again?" Caroline asked.

"I don't think that will happen," Jon said giving her a hug.

"I hope not," Caroline hurried to her parents' bedroom

Caroline knocked gently on the door. "Mummy?"

"Come in, angel." Allison replied.

Caroline opened the door and stepped inside. "Hi," Caroline whispered. "I brought you some ice water."

"Thanks sweetheart," Allison said. "I could use something to drink."

Caroline handed her mother the drink. "How are you feeling?"

"Just a bit tired," Allison said. "You don't have to worry, Angel girl."

"Really?" Caroline asked doubtfully.

"I'll be all right," Allison reached for her daughter's hand.

Caroline squeezed her hand.

"You should go get yourself ready for school." Allison told her. "I'll be up in a few more minutes."

"I don't want to leave you," Caroline said quietly.

"I promise I'll be okay," Allison told her.

Caroline still looked uncertain and Allison remembered how scared her daughter had been when Allison had been pregnant with Adam. "It's just a little cramping," Allison tried to explain.

"Daddy can call Aunt Lizzy over, right?" Caroline asked.

"Yes, but this isn't anything to worry about," Allison reassured her.

"Promise?" Caroline asked.

Allison held out her pinky finger. "Promise."

Caroline managed a smile as she hooked her finger with her mother's.

"That's my girl," Allison said.

"I'll go make sure Emma gets ready," Caroline said.

Allison laughed. "Make sure her clothes match today."

Caroline smiled. "I will."

Allison gave her daughter one last hug before sending her off to her room. Allison was just closing her eyes when she heard another knock on the door. "Caroline, I'm fine...really."

"It's not Caroline," Lizzy called back.

Allison groaned. "He rang you?"

"He was worried," Lizzy said opening the door. "And given your history, I can't say as I blame him."

Allison rolled her eyes. "It's just a little cramping."

"Well, it can't hurt if I take a look, can it?" Lizzy said grinning at her best friend. "Don't be angry at him, Allie."

"I guess I'm not," Allison replied. "I just wish I could have a pregnancy where I'm not completely worried all the time. I haven't had that since Caroline."

Lizzy sat down on the edge of the bed. "So, you've been taking your vitamins, right?"

"Every day," Allison nodded.

"And when did you start having these pains?" Lizzy asked, as she took Allison's blood pressure.

"I had a couple, on and off this week," Allison said. "But they weren't sharp like this."

Lizzy nodded. "And have you felt dizzy or nauseous?"

"A little," Allison admitted.

"Your blood pressure is a lot higher than I would like to see," Lizzy commented.

"I'm just so busy," Allison said.

"Allie, what have you been doing?" Lizzy asked.

Allison sighed. "Helping at the pub, helping my mum with the books... looking after the kids, packing for this move to the new house... you name it and I've been working on it."

Lizzy looked thoughtfully at her friend. "Well, that's about to come to a stop."

"How am I supposed to stop working?" Allison asked her. "I can't, not with the new house we have to pay for. Two weeks and we have to be out of this one!"

"You need to take it easy," Lizzy told her. "If you don't control your blood pressure what happened with Emma could happen again, Allie."

Allison lay back against the pillows and put a hand over her eyes.

"You know," Lizzy said. "You have a large family and I'm sure they'd all help out if you only ask."

"I can't depend on everyone to help me out like that," Allison argued.

"How are things in here?" Jon asked from the doorway.

"Fine," Allison replied before Lizzy could say anything.

Lizzy sighed. "They will be fine if Allie would listen to me."

"Al," Jon said. "You know--"

"Where are the kids?" Allison asked starting to pull off the covers. "Emma and Caroline are going to be late for school---"

"Allie," Lizzy gently put her hand on Allison's shoulder. "You need to be on bed rest. I know you don't like to hear it, but it's for your own good, and that of the baby's."

Just outside the door, Caroline covered her mouth. This was bad---apparently just as bad as she thought it was. She listented, unnoticed, as Lizzy explained what was going on with her mother. Caroline did not understand most of the big words that Lizzy used.

"You just need rest," Lizzy finished up. "I'm going to come twice a week to check on you. And you know everyone will pitch in to help you lot move without you having to do anything, Allie."

Caroline grabbed her bag and ran downstairs where Adam and Emma were still eating breakfast.

"Sissy?" Emma asked. "Can I have more cereal?"

Caroline nodded, not really listening to her sister's question.

Emma watched her sister. "What's wrong?"

Caroline looked over at her sister. "Nothing."

"Do you think Mummy will help me with my bike later?" Emma asked. "After school?"

"I will," Caroline said hurriedly. "But you know what else? We have to help with packing up our rooms. We have to do everything Daddy tells us to do."

"Mummy's doing that," Emma said.

"Well we're going to do it now." Caroline said firmly.

"Me too?" Adam asked. "I'm too little!"

"I will help you," Caroline told him.

Adam and Emma looked at each other and Emma shrugged.

"Just come to me instead of bothering Mummy," Caroline said. "Or talk to Daddy."

"Why?" Emma asked curiously.

"Because I said so," Caroline knew her siblings would not understand what was going on.

"Kay," Adam said grabbing his spoon.

"Thanks Adam," Caroline said, giving her sister a pointed look.

"Okay, okay," Emma relented. "No going to Mummy. Only you or Daddy."

"Right," Caroline nodded.

Jon came into the kitchen. "Caroline, Emma----go and get your school bags. It's time to go. Adam, you and me are going to the pub by ourselves today."

"Yes Daddy," Caroline replied, ushering her sister out of the kitchen.

Jon lifted Adam out of his seat. "We're not going to stay all day today, buddy. We're going to just check in and then we'll come back and stay with Mummy."

"Okay," Adam said excitedly.

Jon gave his son a hug. He was worried about Allison and he knew she was mad at him for calling Lizzy.

"Can I talk to Mummy?" Emma asked, coming back into the kitchen.

"If you make it quick," Jon told her.

Emma ran from the kitchen and burst into Allison's room. "Hi Mummy!"

Allison smiled as she took in her youngest daughter. Emma was wearing a purple jumper and jeans. She made a mental note to thank Caroline for helping Emma. "You look very pretty, sweetheart."

"Thank you," Emma spun around in a circle. "Are you sick?"

"Just a little sleepy," Allison said. "I'm going to stay in bed today."

"If I could make soup, I'd make you soup," Emma said, climbing onto the bed.

"I'll teach you someday," Allison promised as Emma cuddled up beside her.

"Can't I just stay with you today?" Emma asked her.

Allison kissed the top of her daughter's head. "You have to go to school, baby girl."

"I don't like school," Emma pouted.

Lizzy was putting her things back in her bag. "Why's that, Em?"

"I don't like my teacher," Emma said. "She doesn't like me either."

Allison shook her head. "Emma, that's not true. She loves you. She just wishes you would pay attention."

"I try," Emma explained.

"Just remember to stay in your seat and don't get up unless your teacher tells you to," Allison said. "You want a gold star."

"I love gold stars," Emma nodded.

"Me too," Lizzy grinned, tweaking Emma's nose.

"I'll get one today," Emma promised.

"That's my girl," Allison said giving her a kiss.

"I'll be in touch later," Lizzy told Allison. "Stay in bed, and let Jon wait on you today."

Allison nodded. "I will."

"Why does Mummy get to stay in bed?" Emma asked.

"Because she's been doing SO much," Lizzy replied. "And she and your baby sister or brother-to-be needs to get some sleep."

"Oh," Emma said. "I'll be extra good."

"If I had gold stars, I'd give you one," Lizzy said to her niece.

Emma giggled. "Thanks, Aunt Lizzy."

Jon appeared in the doorway with Caroline and Adam. "Come on, Em."

"Bye Mummy," Emma said, spinning around one more time before leaving the room.

Allison looked at Lizzy. "She's something else, isn't she?"

"Quite so," Lizzy said. "Talk to you later, Allie. Remember what I told you."

"Rest," Allison replied. "No working."

"Right," she nodded.

When she was alone, Allison tried to get some sleep. But, her mind was racing with all the thing she had to do.

She sighed, rubbing her forehead. "How am I supposed to get this place ready to go from bed?"

Allison put her hand on her stomach. She hoped this prescribed bedrest would only be for a few days. There was just way too much to do and not enough time to do it.

A thought came to her- she could look up a few spells and see if she could get these items to pack themselves into boxes. She could easily do that from bed.

Allison picked up her wand from the bedside table.

A few hours after taking the girls to school and checking in at the pub, Jon arrived home to find items flying all over the house, settling themselves into boxes. "Al?"

He and Adam ducked just before a stack of books hit them square in the face.

"Whoa!" Adam exclaimed.

"Al?" Jon asked again, ducking his way through the hall towards their bedroom.

Allison smiled at him. "Oh, hey!"

"What are you doing?" Jon asked.

"Packing, silly," Allison said with a grin.

Adam looked on with wide eyes.

"Al you're supposed to be resting," Jon said. "Not worrying about packing."

"I'm resting," Allison said. "I only got out of bed twice. Once to go to the loo and the other to get a spell book."

Adam reached for her and Jon set him down on the bed. "But Al--"

"You worry too much," Allison told him.

"With good reason," Jon pointed out.

Allison patted the empty space beside her. "Sit."

"Okay," Adam said, crawling next to her and making her laugh.

"I was talking about your daddy," Allison said tickling her son's side.

Jon had to smile too. "I would, but I'm going to get to work around here. I don't want you to worry, Al. Just stay in bed."

"Jon?" Allison asked. "Lizzy told me what we were having..."

"But I thought the baby wasn't developed enough," Jon said.

"Lizzy did a little test," Allison replied. "Do you want to know?"

"I do," Adam replied.

Jon sat down. "What are we having?"

"Another girl," Allison said softly.

Jon looked at her. "A girl?"

Allison nodded sheepishly.

Adam frowned. "'nother sissy."

"Its okay, Al." Jon told her. "I don't mind another girl."

"I should hope not," Allison teased. "Because that's what we're going to have."

"I want a boy," Adam pouted.

Allison laughed. "You're still going to be a big brother."

Adam shrugged his little shoulders.

"Why don't you go and grab a book and I'll read it to you while your daddy makes us lunch?" Allison suggested.

"Okay," Adam agreed eagerly, pushing himself off the bed.

Jon leaned over and gave his wife a kiss. "Well, at least now we know how to decorate the nursery."

"True," Allison said. "I'm sorry for getting snappish. But I do hate just lying about."

"I know," Jon said. "But, please do this, Al. You heard Lizzy---it's best for you and the baby."

Allison sighed. "I'll try to be patient about it."

"Thank you," Jon said. "And you know, I can do the packing."

"I think I just got a lot more of it done," Allison replied.

Jon laughed. "Okay, Al. I'm going to make lunch. Any requests?"

Allison shook her head. "Whatever you make will be fine."

"Peanut butter and jelly?" Jon asked.

"You know Adam will love that," Allison replied.

"You don't want anything strange on there, too?" Jon asked. "I know how you pregnant women are..."

"Not yet," Allison said with a grin.

Jon laughed. "What was that you made me get up and make you that time you were pregnant with Caroline?"

"Watermelon and chocolate chips," Allison said.

Jon's nose scrunched up. "And I told you we didn't have watermelon and you made me go out in the middle of the night to find it."

"You went to America for my watermelon," Allison smiled at him.

Jon nodded. "You were eight months pregnant. I wasn't going to mess about."

Allison squeezed his hand. "I do love you, Jonathan."

"I love you too," Jon said. He put his free hand on her stomach. "And this little girl."

"We'll have to think of names again," Allison said her head on the pillow.

Adam toddled into the room carrying three of his favourite books.

"There's my boy," Allison said. "Time to read."

Jon took the books from his son and handed them to Allison. He then helped Adam up on the bed. "Adam?"

Adam looked up at him.

"Will you look after your mum for me?" Jon asked. "Make sure she takes it easy? If you do, I'll make your favourite sandwich."

Adam grinned. "Okay!"

Jon mussed his son's hair. "Lunch will be served shortly."

"Yummy," Adam declared.

Jon gave his wife a kiss before leaving the room. Allison picked up the books and made a goofy face at her son. She knew that he liked spending one on one time with her away from his sisters. "So, what do we want to read first?"

"This one," Adam pointed, cuddling up next to her.

"Excellent choice," Allison said picking up the book.

Jon was busy making lunch for his wife and son and letting Allison's spell pack up the rest of the house when he heard a muffled thump and someone squeal. "Ow!"

"Hello?" Jon called out.

"What's going on in there?" his twin appeared in the doorway.

"Al's packing," Jon replied with a grin. "Did you get hit with something?"

"Only the biggest book you have," Josh said, rubbing his forehead.

Jon laughed. "I wish I could have seen it. You want a sandwich?"

"No thanks," Josh replied. "I thought you were going to be at the pub today."

Jon told his brother about what had happened with Allison this morning. "Your wife told her she needs to rest."

"Oh," Josh nodded. "Will she be all right?"

"If she takes it easy," Jon replied. "Liz said if she doesn't---the same thing could happen that happened when she was having Emma."

Josh looked surprised. "Wow... mate. Do you need me to cover for you for a few days?"

Jon nodded. "Yeah. I know this is a bad time..."

"It's getting busy," Josh replied. "But we can manage. If you can stop in for a little bit here and there..."

"I can," Jon promised.

"Good," Josh said. "We'll have to find a replacement for Allie for the time being."

Jon leaned against the counter. "I was thinking we could ask Patti to fill in."

"Sure," Josh replied. "Good idea."

"And Stan could take the lunches," Jon said.

"Audrey mentioned she wanted to pick up some extra shifts," Josh wrote this down. "She and RJ bought their house, you know."

"Junior did it, eh?" Jon asked.

Josh nodded. "Makes me wonder when he's going to be like the rest of us, and get married."

"Junior's always gone at his own pace," Jon said thoughtfully.

"That's probably a good thing," Josh said jokingly.

Jon looked at his brother just as Allison's cookbooks levitated and flew toward Josh. "Duck, Josh!"

Josh didn't make it in time, and the cookbook whacked into the side of his head.

Jon stifled a laugh. "This is why you were always rubbish at Quidditch. Those reflexes of yours..."

"What is that made of, iron?" Josh asked. "I better get out of here before I'm killed."

Jon laughed. "Josh, stay awhile. I can have her stop and you and I can pack."

"That sounds like a blast," Josh said rolling his eyes jokingly.

"What else do you have to do today, brainiac?" Jon teased.

"Pick up the kids later," Josh said. "After school."

"Key word is later," Jon said putting the sandwiches on a tray. "Come on...you can come and say hi to Al and Adam."

"Okay," Josh replied, following his brother. He looked around at the small house. He was glad his brother and sister in law were moving to a bigger place.

"...the dragon flew at the boy," Allison was reading to her son. Adam gasped. "Oh no!"

Allison laughed. "But the boy pulled out his wand and--"

"...was hit by a flying cookbook," Josh finished.

"No," Adam looked up. "Uncle Josh!"

Josh laughed. "Your mum nearly killed me twice with a book."

Allison gasped. "Josh, I'm so sorry."

"It's okay," Josh reassured her. "How are you holding up?"

"All right," Allison said. "I don't like bed rest."

Adam grinned happily. "I like it, Mummy!"

"I bet you do, buddy," Jon said with a grin.

"And no Em," Adam said reaching for his sandwich.

"Adam," Allison laughed. "That’s not nice."

Jon set the tray of food down on the bed. "Emma jumped on Adam's bed this morning...again."

"And on me," Adam frowned.

Josh looked at his nephew. "She scare you, buddy?"

"Em is mean and bossy," Adam told the adults.

"Your sister loves you very much and she's not mean," Allison told him.

"Still bossy," Adam replied.

"I talked to her on the way to school," Jon said. "But she didn't really listen..."

"That's her ADHD working," Allison sighed. "I'd hoped the medicine we got her would be working, but it's done nothing so far."

Adam took a bite of his sandwich.

"How's it taste, buddy?" Jon asked.

"Yummy," Adam replied grinning at his father.

"Josh and I should get to work," Jon said. "Al... could you stop the spell so we could work without being killed?"

Allison pretended to think about this. "You know it might make you work faster if you're dodging things..."

"Or not," Josh pointed to his bruise.

"Babies," Allison teased.

"Baby," Adam pointed at his father and uncle.

"We're not babies," Jon said. "We just don't want our handsome faces being scratched, bruised or bloodied."

Allison shook her head but stopped the spell.

"Thank you," Jon said.

"Thanks for helping us," Allison told Josh. "I would do it myself but--"

Josh held up his hand. "You would do it for Liz and me, Allie. It's no problem."

"Thanks," Allison said gratefully.

Allison took a bite of her sandwich and watched her son. She had never been one to just sit back and let others do things for her. But, she would do whatever she had to do to make sure that the baby was healthy. Her family needed her and she wasn't going to do anything to jeopardize that.

308. Chapter 308 Second Chances

Authors' note: This week's chapter finds Neville's new storyline starting. We hope that you will take a few minutes after you finish reading to let us know what you think. We did not have that much of a response to the last chapter and we really want to know what you guys think. Since this chapter isn't filler or fluff, we hope that you will let us know what you think and maybe let us know what you think. We want to make sure there is still interest in the story!

It had been awhile since Neville had visited his parents, so on his day off he and Cho headed for St. Mungos to see them. In all the years they had been there, they had never changed- never improved, although they did seem to know himself, Cho, and Chiaki they always had trouble remembering Allison and Frankie.

"Sometimes I wonder if I stopped going to see them, if they'd even realise it," Neville said to his wife.

Cho squeezed his hand. "Neville..."

"Not that I would," Neville replied. "When Gran died, I promised myself I'd always keep going to see them. But it just makes me wonder..."

"I think that deep down, the mother and father you once knew are still there," Cho said thoughtfully. "And I think it means the world to them that you come."

"Thanks," Neville said gratefully.

Cho and Neville signed in at the front desk. "Your daughter is already here, Mr. Longbottom," the nurse told him.

"She is?" Neville asked, surprised.

The nurse nodded. "They just arrived."

"Chiaki must have come," Cho replied. "Thank you," she said to the nurse.

Neville put his arm around his wife as they took the familiar walk down the corridor to his parents' room. Neville had taken this walk many, many times over the years.

Sure enough, just inside the room, Chiaki sat on Alice's bed with Mas and Sukie.

"Hi, Mum and Dad," Chiaki said smiling at him and Cho.

"Hello sweetheart," Cho greeted her daughter. "We didn't know you were going to be here today."

Chiaki nodded. "Sukie and Mas wanted to see their great-grandparents. The nurse said that she was going to bring Gran and Grandpa in. They were outside getting some air."

"How lovely," Cho said as Mas ran over to her and threw himself in her lap.

Cho gave him a hug. "How's my boy today?"

"Good," Mas looked up at her. "Missed you and Grandpa."

"We missed you too," Cho said grinning at him.

Neville picked up Sukie and kissed her cheek. "And how's my girl? Are you sharing with your brother?"

Sukie smiled innocently at him and shook her head.

Neville chuckled. "Just a little sharing?"

"No," Mas chimed in from his perch on Cho's lap.

"He's mean," Sukie explained to her grandfather. "He doesn't share with me either."

"Frankie, Allie and me were never this bad," Chiaki said to her mother.

"You weren't the same age, either." Cho pointed out.

Just then the door to the room opened and the nurse ushered in Frank and Alice Longbottom.

Neville stood back up, Sukie still in his arms. "Hi Dad. Hi Mum."

Frank walked past Neville and sat down on his bed.

"Hi Grandpa," Chiaki said. "How are you?"

Frank looked at her with a blank expression on his face.

"Dad," Neville said, setting Sukie down. "It's Neville."

Frank looked down at the floor and then up at Neville. Alice walked over to her bedside table and pulled out a bubble gum wrapper. She handed it to her son.

"Thanks Mum," Neville smiled at her. He put the wrapper in his pocket to put it with the rest of them later.

"How've they been?" Chiaki asked the nurse.

"As of late... a bit unresponsive." the nurse replied.

Chiaki walked over to her grandmother and noticed that she had scratches on her cheek. "Gran? Who did this?"

Alice looked up at her with a confused expression.

The nurse took Alice's hand and helped her into her rocking chair. "Mrs. Longbottom has taken to scratching herself when she's scared. The healer put some salve on her cheek and her arms."

"Mum," Neville reached for his mother, concerned. He wished he could tell her there was no need to be scared.

Alice allowed him to hug her and she rested her head on his shoulder.

Neville rubbed her back comfortingly. "Its okay, Mum."

Chiaki wiped a tear from her eyes as she watched them. Sukie tugged on her hand. "Don't cry, Mummy."

"I'm sorry, sweetheart," Chiaki said. "I'm just worried about Grandma Alice."

Chiaki picked her daughter up and hugged her to her.

"I'll let their healer know you're here," the nurse said before leaving the room.

It broke Neville's heart every time he came here to think of what his parents had missed out on over the years because of that spell. That spell that had taken his parents from him and had denied them the right to be involved in the lives of their grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

"Hello Frank," Cho tried to engage her father in law. "You're looking well."

Frank looked at her for a minute before turning his back to her.

Cho sighed. Obviously Frank was having one of his bad days.

The healer came into the room. Neville was glad for one thing---the same healer had been taking care of his parents for years.

"It's good to see you," Neville said, reaching for the other man's hand.

"Good afternoon, Neville," Healer Turner said. "I'm really glad that you're here actually. I've been meaning to owl you."

"Oh?" Neville asked.

"The nurse told us that Frank and Alice have been having some problems lately," Cho said quietly.

"Yes," Healer Turner said. "She's been scratching at herself, especially on days like today when Frank isn't responsive."

"Grandpa's usually not this bad," Chiaki commented.

"Well..." Healer Turner sat down in a chair at the desk positioned in the corner of the room. "This is part of the reason I'm glad you're here today."

Neville nodded. He just hoped there wasn't any more bad news.

"We think perhaps we've found a way to bring them out of their condition," Healer Turner said.

Neville looked at the healer as if he had not heard him right. "I beg your pardon?"

Healer Turner nodded. "We've been working at this spell for years, and we finally believe it's at a stage where it could bring your parents out of this condition they're in."

Chiaki and Cho exchanged a look. "What?" Chiaki asked. "Really?"

"Of course, there are some side effects," Healer Turner replied. "Periods of memory loss for one..."

Chiaki cut him off. "You're saying you've come up with a counter spell? You can cure my grandparents?"

"We'd be taking a chance, but I think the possibilities of curing them are very good," Healer Turner replied.

"Wait," Neville said. "Very good. That's not excellent."

"You've tested this?" Cho asked. "And you've been successful?"

"So far," Healer Turner nodded.

Chiaki grinned. "That's fantastic!"

"I'm not so sure," Neville said. "What are the rest of the side effects?"

"Coma," the healer replied. "Two of our test subjects have fallen into comas."

"Hmm..." Neville said. He wasn't sure he was willing to risk his parents. They may not really be aware, but at least they were still alive this way.

"I imagine you'd want to talk this over with your family," Healer Turner said. "And I can give you the articles I've written on this. It might help you make your decision, Neville."

"All right," Neville nodded.

The healer handed him a few folders. "Let me know what you decide."

"I will," Neville replied, looking thoughtfully at his parents.

Chiaki sat down beside her father. "Dad, you have to do this. You know that, right?'

"I don't know," Neville said pointedly. "This is awfully risky."

Chiaki could not believe he was having doubts about this. He had spent so many years visiting his parents like this and now he had the chance to have them back.

"I know what you both are thinking," Neville said. "But if something goes wrong..."

Cho put her hand on Neville's shoulder. "We'll support you with whatever you decide."

Sukie toddled over to Alice and smiled up at her great-grandmother. "Gamma Alice!"

Alice shrank back, pulling away from the little girl.

Sukie turned and looked at her mother, her lower lip trembling.

"Come here, baby." Chiaki said softly.

Sukie ran over to her mother.

"Grandma Alice loves you very much," Chiaki reassured her. "She is just---she's just scared."

"But I'm not scary," Sukie said in a small voice.

"She's not scared of you," Chiaki said.

"I'll share with her," Sukie told her mother.

Chiaki swallowed the lump in her throat. "I--I think she'd like that."

"I'm sure she would, love." Cho smiled at her granddaughter.

Mas tugged on Neville's hand. "Grandpa?"

"What is it, son?" Neville asked.

Mas smiled at him. "No sad, Grandpa."

Neville smiled at his grandson. "Not with you around, Mas."

Cho looked at her daughter. "How about we take the kids downstairs to have lunch and let Neville have some time with his parents?"

"Sure," Chiaki nodded. "That sounds good to me."'

Cho kissed her husband on the cheek. "Take as long as you need."

"Thank you," he said to them.

Chiaki walked over to her grandmother. She set the packs of gum she had bought for her on the table. "I love you, Gran. Don't be scared."

Alice looked up at her but didn't shrink back.

Chiaki took this as a positive sign and she stepped forward and kissed her grandmother's cheek. "You take care of Grandpa."

Alice made a sound in her throat that Chiaki recognised as one of contentment. She sighed in relief as she stood back up.

Sukie and Mas toddled over to where Frank was sitting. The two children looked nervously at each other before they placed the chocolate bars on the bedside table. "Bye, Grandpa Frank," Sukie said in a small voice.

Frank didn't look over at them, only stared at a spot on the wall.

Mas took his sister's hand and they walked back to Cho and Chiaki. The four of them left the room leaving Neville with his parents.

He moved over closer to them and Alice looked at him warily.

"I wish you could tell me what to do," Neville said quietly.

Frank still didn't respond, but Alice patted his hand.

Tears welled up in his eyes as he looked at his mother.

Alice looked at him, but Neville couldn't tell if she could really see him or not. He'd give just about anything to have a real conversation with them; to see them hold their grandchildren and just lead normal lives. Perhaps he owed it to them to see if this cure could work.

The decision was ultimately his to make, but he would talk to his daughters and see what they wanted. He knew how Chiaki felt, but Allison and Frankie---he wasn't sure about. Neville pointed to a photograph on the wall of Allison with Emma, Caroline and Adam. "Allie's having another baby, Mum."

Alice looked at the picture, nonplussed, and then began to root through the small bedside drawer.

Neville looked curiously at her. "What are you doing, Mum?"

Alice pulled out another picture and handed it to Neville.

Neville smiled. "That's Emma. She was a year old in that picture."

Alice smiled and touched the picture with her index finger.

Frank walked over to see what they were looking at and Alice held up the photograph for him to see.

Frank managed a half grimace, half smile.

"Ba-by," Alice whispered.

Neville stared at his mother. "What?"

Alice held out the picture again.

"You want to see Emma?" Neville asked.

Alice smiled at her son.

"I can arrange that," Neville told her.

Alice hugged the picture to her as Frank sat down beside her.

Neville watched as Frank put a hand on his wife's back.

He wished more than anything that they could tell him what to do. This was their lives he was deciding on and he felt like they should have some say. But, he was their son and this would be his decision. With a heavy heart, Neville hugged his parents and picked up the files.

"I'll see you two soon," Neville said. "I promise I'll be by more often."

In the cafeteria, Mas and Sukie were happily eating while Chiaki and Cho talked. "Dad has to go through with this," Chiaki said in a hushed voice to her mother.

"It's up to him," Cho told her daughter.

"But---" Chiaki protested.

"We can talk to him but we can't make his mind up for him," Cho replied firmly.

Chiaki nodded. "I know."

Cho smiled at her daughter. "He'll make the best decision."

"Grandpa," Sukie said pointing to the front of the cafeteria where Neville had entered.

"Dad!" Chiaki waved to him. "Over here!"

Neville waved back and crossed the room to his family.

"How was the rest of your visit?" Cho asked him.

Neville set the file down and looked at his wife and daughter. "She spoke. I was telling her about Allie having another baby andshe pulled out a picture of Emma."

"She spoke?" Cho asked. "Neville, that's wonderful!"

"It was just one word, but it was like she knew who Emma was and she associated her with Allie," Neville said.

"Wow," Chiaki said. "That's really incredible."

"It is, isn't it?" Neville asked.

"If you'd like later, I'll look at those studies with you," Cho offered.

Neville reached for her hand. "Thanks, Cho. I'd appreciate that."

Cho squeezed her husband's hand.

"I can't believe this is happening," Neville commented.

"It could be a whole new beginning for them," Cho said as Chiaki began to clean her children up.

"Or it could all go horribly wrong," Neville said thoughtfully.

"There is that chance," Cho agreed. "But you have to think of the benefits if it DOES work. We'll figure all this out together when we read through that research."

"Frankie and Allie need to be told," Chiaki said.

Neville nodded. "Perhaps we should see if we can have everyone over for dinner."

Cho thought about this for a moment. "Wait---Allie's on bed rest. Perhaps we shouldn't tell her about this."

"You're not going to tell Allie about this?" Chiaki echoed, sitting back down.

"Lizzy said she should avoid stress," Neville said. "Maybe it would be best to wait to tell her until after we've looked at this research."

"I think you're right," Cho nodded. "It'll only be a day or so."

Chiaki relented. "Okay."

"I want to go home," Sukie said. "I want to play with my toys!"

"Me too!" Mas chimed in.

"All right," Chiaki said. "Finish your biscuits."

"Kay," Mas replied.

"We're going to head out," Cho said. "I'll owl you about dinner, love."

Neville gave his oldest daughter a hug. "Thank you for coming here today, Chiaki."

"Of course," Chiaki said. "I love visiting them... I just wish they knew us better."

"Maybe they will," Neville said thoughtfully.

Chiaki smiled at him. "I hope so."

Neville squeezed her hand. "We'll be in touch."

"Bye," Chiaki returned her attention to her children so she could pack them up and head home.

Neville walked his wife back to her dance studio. He had not said much and he was eager to get back to his office to read over the research.

"I'll be home in a few hours," Cho told him. "We can look over those reports then."

Neville nodded. "Thanks for going with me today, Cho."

"Anytime," Cho gave him a kiss. "I love seeing them."

Neville held on to her for a few moments. She had always been his safe place and he wanted to know that whatever he decided, she would be okay with.

Cho smiled at him. "You okay?"

Neville shook his head. "I don't know what to do, Cho."

"We'll figure it out together," she said, squeezing his hand.

"I love you," Neville said.

"Love you too," Cho gave him another kiss.

Neville set off for his office, his mind full of questions.

He didn't know what to do. He wanted so badly to have his parents back, but at what expense?

*** *** ***

It was Friday evening and instead of heading out with her boyfriend, Alexa found herself in an alleyway preparing to Apparate home. She needed to see her best friend desperately and hoped she wouldn’t' be dropping in on Saffron at a bad time.

She was just a few weeks into the new semester and she was not doing as well as she would have hoped. The truth was, she was homesick and other than her roommate, she hadn't really made any new friends.

Alexa pulled out her wand and thought of Andrew and Saffron's cosy little place.

A few minutes later, she found herself on the front steps of Saffron and Andrew's home. She rang the bell, but there was no answer. Alexa sighed and cursed her stupidity. She should have called first before barging over here like this. Alexa turned to go when the door sprang open and she saw RJ holding Ellie.

"Thank Merlin you're here!" RJ exclaimed. "She's crying and I have no idea what to do. I've tried making faces at her, I've tried doing a stupid dance...and she still cries."

"What?" Alexa asked taken aback. "What---why are you watching Ellie?"

"Andrew had a match," RJ said. "Saf wanted to go and they had no babysitter. Aud's visiting her grandparents so I said I'd do it."

"Oh," Alexa said, reaching for the baby. "Here let me see if I can help..."

RJ stood back so she could come inside. He closed the door behind her and put his head in his hands. "She was perfect the first five minutes."

Alexa smiled. "She's probably just hungry."

RJ shook his head. "I tried that. I think Saffy put some kind of hex on me that makes the baby cry anytime I go near her."

"Nappy?" Alexa tried again.

Again, RJ shook his head.

"Hmm..." Alexa cuddled Ellie close to her and patted her back.

Ellie let out a choked sob. Alexa had missed her goddaughter so much and she could not get over how much bigger Ellie was than the last time she'd seen her.

"Hey," RJ said with a smile. "You got her to quiet down."

Alexa grinned. "I guess I have the magic touch."

RJ nodded. "You do." he said. "Hey... what are you doing here?"

Alexa sat down with the baby. "What?"

"Don't get me wrong, I'm glad you're here," RJ said hastily. "But... why are you here?"

Alexa smiled at him. "This is home, isn't it?"

"I just figured you'd be living it up in LA," RJ shrugged.

Alexa's smile faltered. "No, not me."

"What’s wrong?" he asked.

Alexa continued to pat Ellie's back in a comforting fashion.

"Lexie..." RJ said.

Alexa looked down at Ellie who was now sleeping. "Let's put her down first."

"All right," RJ agreed.

Alexa stood up slowly so as not to wake the baby. She carried Ellie to her nursery and gingerly set her down in her crib.

"You're good," RJ admitted.

Alexa turned and looked at him. "At least I'm good at something..."

"Was that a shot?" RJ asked with a grin.

Alexa shook her head. "No, I wouldn't kick you while you were down."

"Funny," RJ said. "How about some hot chocolate?"

Alexa nodded. "I'd love some."

"Finish up with her and I'll have it ready in a minute," RJ made a hasty exit.

Alexa glanced down at the sleeping baby and smiled. She felt more at home here in the past five minutes than she had at school in the past five months.

"You are such a beautiful baby, Ellie." Alexa whispered. The pictures that Saffron had owled to her hardly did the baby justice.

"Hot chocolate's ready!" RJ called.

Alexa took one last look at the baby before heading into the kitchen where RJ was waiting.

"Biscuits?" he asked.

"I guess," Alexa replied.

RJ carried a plate of chocolate chip biscuits over tot he table and sat down across from her. He knew her well enough to know when something was wrong. "Lex?"

"It's just not what I thought it was going to be, you know?" Alexa asked. "Being in California... I like it... but I miss home so much."

"Saf said you were doing well," RJ said.

"My marks are good," Alexa nodded. "But I don't know... I'm lonely over there."

"Gabe isn't helping?" RJ asked. He noticed the look on Alexa's face. "Oh. Touched a nerve?"

"He's hardly been around," Alexa admitted softly.

"I see," RJ said.

"I mean... I understand, his major is very demanding," Alexa continued. "And he has to put in a lot of hours at the hospital... but I guess I just hoped it would take over his life."

RJ knew first hand how it felt to take someone you loved for granted and to lose them. He reached across the table and gave her hand a squeeze. "Have you talked to him about it?"

"I've tried," Alexa said. "He's never got time to sit anymore."

"So you came here to talk to Saffy?" RJ guessed.

"She's always been there for me," Alexa said, wrapping her hands around the mug.

RJ nodded. "I know I'm not Saffy, but I'm here. You know, if you want to talk."

"It wouldn't be too weird?" Alexa asked.

RJ chuckled. "Nah, we're friends, Lex."

"I'm glad for that," Alexa told him. "I really am."

RJ smiled at her. "Me, too. And not just because you saved me tonight with Ellie."

Alexa had to smile too. "It's just been rough. I mean, first semester was all right, but ever since coming back to school after Christmas holiday, he's been too busy to do anything with me."

"So you've been spending time alone?" RJ asked sympathetically.

"Mostly," Alexa nodded. "I've spent a little time with Carmen... but I can only be with her so much before I just need to get away."

RJ nodded in understanding. "Saf said she's a bit much."

"She's sweet, but completely star struck," Alexa said.

"Too bad she's Muggle," RJ said leaning back in his chair. "If she knew who I was…"

Alexa rolled her eyes. "I'm sure she'd fall all over herself."

RJ puffed out his chest. "As all the ladies do..."

Alexa shook her head.

RJ grinned. "You could barely put two words together around me...when you were 11."

"Until I finally had you," Alexa had to smile. "Now I know what you're really like..."

"And what am I really like, Miss O'Leary?" RJ asked.

"You're a good person," Alexa said. "And a good friend."

RJ met her gaze. "Thanks, Lex."

"For awhile after we broke up I didn't think I'd ever be able to look you in the eye again," Alexa said. "I was so upset. But... we all move on. It's a good thing..."

"I messed up," RJ agreed.

"We both did," Alexa replied.

"And look at us now," RJ commented.

"I just..." Alexa sighed. "Things were always so good with me and Gabe when we were here... and over there, it's like school takes priority over everything."

"It doesn't sound like it's going to get any better," RJ commented.

Alexa felt a pang in her stomach. "I don't know..." she said thoughtfully. "I want to make it work."

"Maybe you should try talking to him then," RJ said thoughtfully.

"But I have," Alexa said. "He's always preoccupied."

RJ did not want to say what he was really thinking. If this was bad now, he did not foresee it getting better.

"I'll try talking to him again," Alexa replied. "If it still doesn't get any better, then I'll think about what to do after that."

RJ nodded. "In the meantime, you are always welcome here you know that, right? "

"Does Saffy know you said that?" Alexa joked.

RJ laughed. "You know what I meant."

"I do," Alexa nodded. "Thanks RJ. That means a lot to me."

"Do you want to watch a movie until Saf comes home?" RJ asked.

"Sure," Alexa nodded.

RJ grinned. "And you can be here if Ellie wakes up crying."

"You always have an ulterior motive," Alexa poked him.

"Not me," RJ said innocently.

"Right," Alexa replied as they sat down on the sofa.

RJ looked at Andrew and Saffy's movie collection and decided to pick a comedy. Alexa obviously needed a laugh.

"Nothing bloody," Alexa said. "So not in the mood for that."

"One of your old favourites," RJ said putting the disc in the player.

"Which one?" Alexa asked.

"You'll see," RJ said sitting down beside her as Puddles came into the room.

Alexa smiled at the dog. "Hiya Puddles!" she patted her lap.

Puddles jumped up on the couch and sat down on Alexa's lap.

"I think he missed you," RJ scratched the dog's ears.

"I missed him too," Alexa said softly.

Puddles jumped up and began licking her face.

Alexa laughed. "Puddles!"

"Gross," RJ made a face.

Alexa smiled, feeling much better than she had in weeks. This felt comfortable and familiar.

"You put on The Wedding Crashers," Alexa said. "That IS a good choice, RJ."

RJ grinned. "Guaranteed to put a smile on your face."

"Exactly what I need," Alexa agreed.

The two of them fell into a companionable silence as they watched the movie.

It was almost over when the fireplace roared to life and Andrew and Saffron came rushing out.

"Lexie!" Saffron exclaimed. "What on earth---"

Puddles jumped off Alexa's lap as the redhead stood to greet her friend.

Saffron hugged her friend tightly. "This is a nice surprise!"

"I'm sorry to barge in on you," Alexa hugged her back. "But I just really needed to talk to you."

RJ clapped Andrew on the back. "Come on, you and I can go check on Ellie and then you can tell me about the match."

"We kicked their sorry arses," Andrew said after giving Alexa a quick hug in greeting.

"He was amazing," Saffron said proudly.

"I miss Quidditch," Alexa said wistfully.

"Too bad we didn't know you were coming," Saffron said. "We could have invited you along."

Alexa nodded and nervously ran her hand through her hair.

"Come on," Saffron said taking her hand. "We'll talk in the kitchen."

Alexa nodded gratefully. It had been good to unload a bit on RJ but Saffron would give her the advice she needed.

"So shouldn't you be at a basketball game or something?" Saffron asked teasingly.

Alexa managed a smile. "Saffy... I don't know if I want to stay out there."

Saffron stared at her. "What?"

Alexa fought back some tears as she told Saffron everything she had told RJ- except more in detail. "I don't want him to neglect his studies, but he has absolutely no time for me. I haven't seen him since last week."

"He's in pre-med," Saffron said in Gabe's defence.

"I know," Alexa said. "This makes me sound absolutely awful, doesn't it? I'm whining..."

Saffron shook her head. "No, it doesn't. And you're not whining, you're venting. "

"I miss him," Alexa said. "We haven't been together in months."

"And you miss home," Saffron commented.

"I'm lonely there," Alexa said softly. "I feel like I'm missing out on so much back here."

Saffron wondered why Alexa hadn't said anything before. Truth be told, Saffron had wondered if perhaps Alexa was only going to college in the States to follow Gabriel. Saffron hadn't agreed with it at that time, but she did not want to discourage Alexa.

"I just don't know what to do," Alexa looked up at her best friend.

"Lexie, if you're unhappy there, maybeyou should think about coming back here," Saffron said. "There are loads of good universities here."

"But what about Gabriel?" Alexa asked. "I love him, Saffy."

Saffron looked at Alexa. "Lexie--you don't have to stay there just because of him. He can visit like he did before."

Alexa bit her lower lip. "Part of me wishes I'd never gone to begin with," she admitted.

Saffron sat down beside her friend. "You were thinking that you and Gabe would go to the states and spend all this time together and that everything would be perfect."

"I guess I was," Alexa replied.

Saffron squeezed her hand. "I can't tell you what to do, but you can't live your life based on someone else's dream, Lex."

Alexa nodded and rubbed at her forehead. "Perhaps we should break up."

"Perhaps you need to think about what you want and what's best for you and then talk to Gabe," Saffron said thoughtfully.

"I need a new perspective," Alexa told her. "Help me sort it out?"

"Of course," Saffron replied. "How many times did you help me?"

"Too many to count?" Alexa asked wryly.

Saffron laughed. "Well, if I'd have known you were free, I'd have had you watch Ellie. I was worried all night about leaving her with RJ."

"She was crying when I got here, but I quieted her down." Alexa said. "He was trying, though."

"We were desperate for a sitter," Saffron said. "My mum and dad are out of town on a conference. Andrew's dad is sick with the flu and his mum was looking out for him. Jules had a Hogwarts thing and Greta's traveling."

"RJ loves her," Alexa said.

"And you do too," Saffron smiled. "We couldn't have asked for better godparents."

"She's amazing," Alexa said.

"She is pretty great," Saffron said proudly. "And I'd say that even if I wasn't her mum."

"Its things like this that I miss," Alexa told her.

"Well, why don't you stay here with us this weekend?" Saffron suggested.

"You wouldn't mind?" Alexa asked.

"Mind?" Saffron waved her hand. "Are you kidding? I'd love it."

Alexa gave her a tight hug. "This is why you're my best friend.

Saffron smiled. "Let's go and check on the boys."

Alexa smiled back. She already felt a bit better just by getting her feelings off her chest.

"We have a house guest," Saffron said to Andrew.

"You staying with us, Lexie?" Andrew asked.

"Just for the weekend," Alexa replied.

"Great," Andrew replied. "It's been awhile."

RJ put his arm around Alexa. "Slumber party!" Alexa giggled and poked him in the side.

"You're such a goofball!" she exclaimed.

RJ grinned at her. "Glad someone in here finds me funny," he looked meaningfully at Ellie.

"She gave RJ a hard time," Andrew told his fiancée.

"Mummy's good girl," Saffron replied.

Alexa laughed at the look on RJ's face. "Well, I should go back to my dorm and pack some things."

"I'll go with," RJ offered. "I've never been to Los Angeles."

"I don't know," Alexa said. "I don't know if Los Angeles could handle you."

"We'll be there for what---ten minutes?" RJ asked. "I think I can handle it."

"If Carmen's there, you'll have to wait in the hall," Alexa warned.

RJ nodded. "No problem."

"Hurry back," Saffron told her. "I'm going to ring Beth and Mimi. We can go looking for bridesmaid stuff this weekend."

Alexa grinned. "Fantastic."

"And with the three of us, you can't go wrong with advice," Saffron told her.

RJ took Alexa's hand. "Come on then, Miss O'Leary."

"We should Apparate," Alexa said. "I'll get us both there."

Saffron laughed. "Poor Los Angeles has no idea what is about to hit it."

"Funny, Saf." RJ replied. "We'll be extra loud when we get back."

Saffron stuck her tongue out at him.

"That's mature," RJ scoffed.

RJ and Alexa Apparated and arrived just outside the dormitory. RJ looked around. "Wow---this is impressive."

"Wait until you see the rooms," Alexa said. "So small..."

RJ felt quite warm in his heavy jumper. "It's this warm here in February?"

"All year round," Alexa nodded. "And the sun is out constantly. It's really a change."

"I'll say," RJ said lifting his jumper over his head. The t-shirt he wore underneath was much more suitable for this climate.

"My room's just up here," Alexa led him inside.

RJ followed Alexa down the corridor.

"And voila--" Alexa stopped short.

RJ bumped into her. "Oomph!"

"Gabe," Alexa said in shock. "What are you doing here?"

"I just finished my shift at the hospital," Gabe said looking warily at RJ. "What's he doing here?"

"I'm... um... I'm going back to London for the weekend," Alexa told him.

Gabe folded his arms. "Why? Is something wrong with your parents?"

"No," Alexa said, heading for her closet. "I just want to go home."

"She's spending the weekend with Andrew and Saffy," RJ told Gabriel.

"Why?" Gabriel asked.

"Because I want to," Alexa said grabbing her bag from the top shelf of the closet.

"I thought we could go to lunch," Gabriel looked at her. "I have a few hours off."

Alexa shook her head. She wondered how he would like it to be the one who was turned down. "No."

"Lexie--" Gabriel began but stopped when he saw RJ was still in the room.

RJ looked at him. "What?"

"Can we have a minute?" Gabriel asked him.

RJ looked at Alexa. "There's a vending machine downstairs," she told him, handing him some Muggle coins from a cup on her desk. "I'll be just a minute."

"Oh..." RJ said. "Okay."

RJ left the room and Alexa resumed her packing.

"What's going on?" Gabriel asked her. "You're mad at me, I can tell."

Alexa looked up at him. "Yes."

"What did I do?" he asked.

Alexa sat down on the edge of the bed. "Nothing---except be who you are, Gabe. It's not just you---it's me."

He stared at her. "Is this a break-up speech you're giving me?" he asked in disbelief. "Lexie..."

Alexa held up her hand. "No---it's just I have to figure some things out for myself."

"I can't help you?" he asked softly.

Alexa shook her head. "I haven't been very happy here. I miss home so much. More than I thought I would."

Gabriel stood up and went over to her. "And I haven't been around to help you."

Alexa shook her head. "But, you have your own things going on, Gabe. I know how important being a doctor is to you and you're busy."

"But I love you," Gabriel told her. "I don't want you to feel neglected on my part."

"I love you too," Alexa said.

Gabriel put his hand on her shoulder and squeezed. "You're the only girl for me, Lexie."

"I just need some time," Alexa said. "To figure out what's best for me."

Gabriel nodded.

"I'll ring you when I get back on Sunday," Alexa promised.

"All right," he said, giving her a kiss on the cheek.

Alexa finished her packing. "I should go downstairs before RJ clears out the vending machine."

Gabriel smiled a bit. "If he figured it out."

"When food's involved, he's a quick study," Alexa said scribbling a quick note for her roommate.

"I'll walk you out," Gabriel told her.

"I'd like that," Alexa said.

Gabriel put his hand on her back as they left the dorm room.

Downstairs in the vending area, RJ was staring in awe at the vending machine. Unfortunately, three other students were standing behind him, impatiently waiting. "Make up your mind, buddy!"

"But there's so much to choose from," RJ said dreamily.

"All I want is some chips," the girl behind him muttered.

"RJ," Alexa came over. "Here..." she put several coins in and picked three things she knew he would like.

"Thanks," RJ said. "You know if my Grandpa saw this, he'd be over the moon."

"It's just a vending machine," the girl behind him said snappishly.

Alexa grabbed RJ by the arm. "This lot isn't very patient, RJ."

RJ opened one of the bags. "This is incredible!"

"I see the real reason you wanted to come with," Alexa teased.

"I didn't know you had these," RJ said with his mouth full. "Maybe I should start going here."

"Just for the food?" Alexa asked.

"You should take him to the cafeteria," Gabriel said.

"Next time," Alexa said. "RJ--you ready to go?"

"Can we get one more thing from that machine?" he asked.

Alexa laughed. "What did you want?"

"I don’t know," he said. "Pick something for me."

Alexa took two quarters from his hand and walked over to the vending machine. Gabriel saw how well Alexa still knew her ex-boyfriend and he felt a twinge of jealousy.

"Man, I'd be at that thing all the time," RJ said, crumpling the empty bag in his hand and ripping open another.

"Tell Saffy and Andrew I said hello," Gabriel told Alexa.

"I will," Alexa replied. "Talk to you Sunday."

Gabriel nodded. "Bye, Lex. RJ."

Alexa smiled tentatively at her boyfriend before she and RJ headed for the same alleyway she'd used earlier.

"Everything okay?" RJ asked her.

Alexa shrugged.

RJ put his arm around her. "It'll be okay, Lex."

"I know," she said. "Thanks RJ."

"And you get to spend all weekend with Ellie," RJ said.

"I've missed being there for that," Alexa replied. "But sometimes I still can't believe Andrew and Saffron are parents."

"Me either," RJ agreed.

"Especially when I look at the girls our age here," Alexa said. "For a lot of them, their biggest concern is their clothing."

"Saf had to grow up pretty fast," RJ said thoughtfully.

"They both did," Alexa agreed.

RJ smiled at her. "We'd better go."

"Right," she nodded.

Alexa looked around to make sure there was no one watching. She took hold of RJ's arm and thought about Andrew and Saffy's home.

They appeared back in the London flatmoments later to hear Ellie wailing in her nursery.

RJ groaned. "She must have heard I was back."

Alexa laughed and put her bag down in the sitting room. "Come on; let's go see if we can help."

RJ followed her into the nursery. "Saf---now you're getting a replay of my night with her."

Saffron patted Ellie's back. "Andrew's warming her bottle. She's hungry."

Alexa smiled as she watched her friend in full-on mum mode.

"Want to feed her?" Saffron asked Alexa.

"Can I?" Alexa asked eagerly.

"Of course," Saffron said. "Take a seat, Andrew will be back in a minute."

Alexa sat down in the rocking chair.

"Here we are," Saffron gently set her daughter into Alexa's arms.

"Hi, Ellie," Alexa said softly.

The infant's face was still screwed up and she was crying.

"Here we are," Andrew said hurrying into the room with the bottle.

"Thanks," Alexa took it and carefully guided it to Ellie's little mouth.

Saffron leaned against Andrew. "Silence."

"Brilliant, Lexie," Andrew said, winding his arms around Saffron.

Alexa smiled but did not say anything. She was just enjoying this moment.

"You should have seen this thing where Lex goes to school," RJ said. "A vending machine. Bloody brilliant!"

Saffron laughed. "Did you clean it out?"

"I would have, if those people hadn't been pushing past me," RJ ripped open his last bag.

"The nerve," Saffron said dryly.

"These are really good," RJ stuffed them in his mouth.

Saffron rolled her eyes and looked at her best friend. "Come on, Lex. I'll show you to your room."

"You mean I don't have to bunk with Ellie?" Alexa joked.

Saffron laughed. "Not unless you like being woken up."

"I thought she was sleeping through the night," Alexa replied.

Saffron and Andrew exchanged a look. "Well, she's sort of having her little 'moments' now. I think she was trying to lull us into a false sense of security."

Alexa laughed. "I can't wait to help you with her this weekend."

"Famous last words," Saffron said as Andrew grabbed Alexa's bag. Alexa looked at RJ and smiled at him. "Thanks for coming with me, RJ. It---it meant a lot."

"No problem, Lexie." RJ said. "Anytime."

Alexa stepped forward and gave him a hug.

It felt nice and familiar to hug him. It reminded her of things... how it used to be.

When they pulled apart, they looked at each for a moment and Alexa felt a familiar stir of butterflies in her stomach. She shook them off, thinking that this was just her reaction to coming home and being back with people who cared about her, who made her feel safe and welcome.

"Come on," Saffron said to her. "We have the cutest guest room. You get to be the first person to use it."

Alexa turned and followed her best friend while Andrew came back into the room. He noticed the look on RJ's face and folded his arms. RJ caught his friend's look and pulled an innocent face. "What?"

"What's going on?" Andrew asked suspiciously.

RJ shrugged. "Nothing."

"I've seen that look before," Andrew said pointedly.

RJ sat down on the sofa. "She's different, you know? From how she used to be."

Andrew nodded. "She's more confident now. Talks more too."

"Boyd's an idiot," RJ commented. "Taking her for granted like that."

"Knock it off," Andrew warned. "It's not your business anymore."

RJ sighed. "Andrew, come on, mate. Lexie's my friend."

"Keep it that way," Andrew said. "Don't do anything to lose Audrey."

"I'm not going to lose Audrey," RJ said firmly. "I love Aud."

"Good," Andrew said. "Want a beer?"

"Absolutely," RJ replied. "It will help wash down those crisps."

Andrew laughed. "I've never seen anyone polish them off like you, mate."

RJ grinned. "Just what I needed after spending time with your daughter. She has a set of lungs on her."

"It's mainly just a show for you," Andrew told him.

"Oh, is that what it is?" RJ asked. He handed Andrew an envelope. "This came for you earlier. Looks like Aunt Hermione's writing."

"Oh," Andrew took it and stuck it in his pocket. "Thanks."

"What's going on?" RJ asked.

"Nothing," Andrew replied. "I'll just open it later."

RJ had a feeling there was something else there, but he wasn't going to press the issue.

Upstairs, Saffron was listening while Alexa gave her the details of what had happened at the dorm and what had been going on for these past few weeks.

"So I don't know," Alexa finished. "I mean... when I sort of mentioned taking a break, he didn't want to do it."

"So are you guys together or not?" Saffron asked.

"For now," Alexa nodded.

"I really wish you'd have said something," Saffron said sitting down beside her best friend. "About how bad you were feeling."

"There wasn't a lot of time," Alexa explained. "But next week when I'm back, I'm going to talk to him."

"Good," Saffron said squeezing her hand. "But, you know what? I've missed you too!"

Alexa smiled gratefully at her friend. "I'm so glad you don't mind me crashing here. I needed you this weekend."

"We'll have a great time," Saffron said. "Tomorrow, I'll get up and make my famous waffles and then we'll go and meet Mimi and Beth at the dress shop. Then, you and I can take Ellie for a walk."

"That sounds perfect," Alexa said. "I can't wait."

Saffron gave her best friendhug. "Come on. We'll go downstairs and see what the boys are up to."

They checked on Ellie and headed into the kitchen. "We've got plans for tomorrow," Saffron told her fiancé. "Lexie and I are going dress shopping- do you want me to take Ellie or will you stay with her?"

"I can take her," Andrew said.

"Are you sure?" Saffron asked.

Andrew nodded. "Ellie and I will have some father-daughter bonding time."

"That's so sweet," Saffron said dreamily.

RJ nudged Andrew. "That is adorable," he said in a dramatic voice.

"Shut it," Andrew replied.

"Well, I'll have my mobile if you need me," Saffron told her fiancé.

"She's my girl," Andrew replied. "I won't need to call you."

Saffron gave him a kiss. "Thanks, Andrew."

RJ looked at Alexa and made a face.

Alexa laughed and grabbed a napkin. "You have crumbs on your cheek, Weasley."

"I'll eat them off," RJ replied. "Those crisps were so good... maybe we should go back there and get more!"

"Well, if you're very nice, I might bring you some back," Alexa said wiping his cheek. RJ put his hand out to stop her.

"I've got it," he told her.

Alexa grinned at him. "Okay, we wouldn't want you to waste any food."

"Never," RJ scoffed.

"Weasleys never waste food," Saffron said.

"We've got some crisps here," Andrew said, searching the cupboard. "Take them RJ. Saf doesn't want any junk food around the house."

Saffron patted her stomach. "I'm going to get my figure back if it's the last thing I do."

"You look just fine," Alexa said loyally. "I wouldn't have guessed you had a baby at all."

Saffron laughed. "Oh, you're my best friend. You're supposed to say that."

"What about if I say it?" RJ asked.

"Well, you're scared of me," Saffron said with a grin.

"I am not," RJ denied.

"You so are," Saffron said gleefully.

"I think you are," Andrew told his best friend with a grin.

"I'm not," RJ said. "Am I, Lex?"

"A little," Alexa admitted.

RJ frowned. "Lex!"

"You always have been," Alexa pointed out.

Saffron grinned. "You're outnumbered, Junior."

"Whatever," RJ muttered. "I'm not scared of you."

Saffron leaned over and tweaked his nose. "It's okay. As long as I know the truth, that's all that matters."

RJ grabbed the bag of crisps. "I'm out of here."

"Leaving so soon?" Saffron laughed.

"I have to get home to Aud anyway," RJ replied.

Saffron walked over to him. "In all seriousness thanks for watching Ellie tonight. You saved us."

"Anytime," RJ said. "She's not so bad, even if she's half yours."

Saffron stomped down hard on his foot.

"OW!" RJ shouted.

Saffron smiled sweetly at him.

In the other room, Ellie started to cry and Andrew groaned. "Thanks."

"I'll go!" Alexa offered.

"Thanks Lexie," Andrew said. "She might just be hungry. You can bring her back in here."

Alexa grinned and practically ran back to the nursery.

"She's eager," Saffron laughed.

Andrew nodded. "We'll have to see if she can help us out when El starts teething."

"It's coming," Saffron said as Alexa brought Ellie back into the kitchen.

Andrew took the baby from Alexa. "Come here, little girl. Are you hungry?"

"I pumped some milk earlier today," Saffron said as RJ made a gagging noise.

Alexa giggled. "Too much information, RJ?"

"Yeah," RJ said. "Now I'm really out of here. I'll see you lot tomorrow."

"I'll walk you out," Alexa said.

"All right," RJ smiled at her.

Alexa smiled back at him. "How's your foot?"

"It's fine," RJ said. "I just like Saffy to THINK I'm scared of her."

"Your secret is safe with me," Alexa promised.

RJ squeezed her arm. "I'm glad you're here for the weekend."

"Me too," Alexa said softly.

"If there's anything else you want to talk about, I'm here for you." RJ told her.

"Thanks, RJ," Alexa said leaning in and pecking him on the cheek.

RJ turned a bit red but smiled at her. "Later, Lexie."

"Later," Alexa said.

"You should come by and see the new place," he told her as he tossed a handful of powder into the fireplace. "Aud and I just moved in."

"Oh," Alexa nodded. "That's great."

"Have Saf bring you by," RJ said. "She knows where it is."

Alexa watched him leave and stood there for a few moments reliving the events of that night in her head.

She had never been more confused. She loved Gabriel- she loved him very much, but being with RJ that night had brought her back to a time when she'd been very happy.

"Auntie Lexie?" Saffron called out from the kitchen.

"Coming," Alexa shook herself out of her reverie.

"Would you like to burp her?" Saffron asked.

Alexa laughed. "Give me the fun jobs, will you?"

While Alexa enjoyed her time with the baby, RJ was just arriving home to the new house. "Aud?" he called out, but there was no answer. "Aud?" His eyes fell on a note on the coffee table. RJ sighed as he picked it up.

"Hiya, RJ," he read aloud. "Going to spend the night at Gran's. She appreciates the company and it's a great place to study for my exam. I'll see you tomorrow. Love, Audrey."

"Again?" he asked. "Why the hell did we move in here if you're never home, Aud?"

RJ crumpled up the letter and threw it in the rubbish bin.

He went into the kitchen and rummaged in the back of his cabinet for the Ogden's. A good quick one would help his sudden bad mood.

Despite the trouble with Ellie, he had enjoyed the evening. Alexa had saved him with the baby and he'd had a good time accompanying her back to the States. For the first time, he thought about what his life would have been like if he'd gone off to college instead of pursuing Quidditch. But, then again,a love of vending machine snacks was not a reason to spend four years in classrooms.

He swallowed the Ogden's and tossed the glass in the sink.

He and Alexa were kind of in the same boat, he mused to himself. Both involved with people who seemed more interested in their schoolwork than anything else.

RJ thought about his conversation with his ex girlfriend. He still cared about her- she'd been his first love.

She had changed so much since they had gone out. She was much more confident and sure of herself. It was an attractive quality. He had to admit he liked this side of her very much.

If Audrey was going to be at her grandmother's, maybe he could ask Alexa out for dinner or something. It would be nice to get together with her and maybe they could talk----like they used to.

He decided he'd do just that. Tomorrow night perhaps they could enjoy a meal somewhere and just catch up.

RJ smiled. His one regret was how he had ended things with Alexa. He was glad that they were becoming friends again.

309. Chapter 309 RIP Patrick Swayze

Authors' note: Tonight's chapter is dedicated to the memory of Patrick Swayze. Dirty Dancing was an important movie to both of us and we of course wouldn't have a story here without that movie, would we? It's only fitting that we have a Harry/Hermione flashback to their time at Hillsdale during this chapter. This chapter was written weeks ago and it's just a coincidence that this flashback fell on this week's chapter. And as a side note, this is not the main storyline we have coming up for Harry/Hermione. There is something BIG coming up for them. Thanks again for the great response to the last chapter!

Darla smiled encouragingly at her son as he crawled over to her. Rafe smiled mischievously at her and then looked over his shoulder at his father. Hans grinned. "Go ahead, mate," Hans encouraged. "You can do it."

"That's my big boy," Darla said. "Come on, love."

Rafe crawled slowly toward her and Darla shared a look with her soon-to-be ex. He had dropped Rafe off after his weekend visit and Darla had asked him in for a cup of tea. Of course that had been Rafe's cue to show off his crawling.

Darla scooped him up and kissed his chubby cheeks. "Who's Mummy's smart boy?"

Rafe giggled and buried his face in Darla's shoulder.

"He was doing that all weekend," Hans told her.

"I love when he does that," Darla said. "His way of flirting, I suppose."

Hans laughed. "He's charmed everyone in New York."

"You said he seems to like it there, right?" Darla asked.

Hans nodded. "But, he misses you."

"I miss him too," Darla hugged her son to her.

Hans sat down on the sofa and reached for his cup of tea. "So, how are things with you?"

"Not too bad," Darla replied. "Drew and I have been busy working on Saffron's wedding."

"She and Andrew?" Hans asked.

"Right," Darla replied.

Hans nodded. "I bet that's all over the news here, right?"

"Not too bad yet," Darla said. "In a few more months it will be."

Rafe tugged at his mother's hair.

Hans smiled at his son. "We had a good time together this weekend."

"What did you do?" Darla asked.

"Took him around Central Park," Hans said.

Darla looked at him. "You made sure he was bundled up, right?"

"Of course," Hans replied.

Darla stood up with her son. "I'm sorry. Of course you did. I just worry."

"You're a mum," Hans said. "It's natural. You're a good mother, Dar."

Darla smiled. "Thanks, Hans. You're a great father."

"Really?" he asked. "You think I am?"

Darla nodded. "I know that things haven't always gone smoothly for you and me, but in the past few weeks, you've really been there for him. I want you to be a part of his life."

Hans nodded. "I always want to be. He's my son and I love him."

Darla handed the baby to Hans. Rafe cooed happily as he put his arms around his father's neck.

"I think he misses you too when you're not around," Darla said thoughtfully.

Hans patted his son's back. "I miss him too, Darla."

Darla sighed. "I keep wondering... you know. Where we went so wrong."

Hans had pondered that same thing many times. He still did not have a definitive answer. He knew that most of the blame fell on him. But, she had a part in it too.

Darla looked at Hans. She would be lying to say she didn't still have feelings for him. But her feelings for Liam also confused her. She didn't quite know what to do.

Hans looked at his watch. "I should get going."

"Are you meeting Sadie?" Darla couldn't resist asking.

"No..." Hans answered. "We aren't seeing each other anymore."

Darla could not hide her surprise. "Oh?"

"We broke up a few weeks ago." Hans said, reaching for his coat.

"I'm sorry," Darla said.

He shrugged. "I guess... I thought seeing someone else would help. Thought it would help me move on. Didn't really work."

"What are you saying?" Darla asked.

Hans looked at her. "It's pretty obvious, Dar."

Darla's breath caught in her throat. "Hans..."

"I know you don't want me anymore," he began.

Darla looked at her son who seemed to be drifting off. "I need to put him down."

"Right," he said quietly. "I'll talk to you soon."

Darla nodded and hurried out of the room with her son. What in the world was going on? Now Hans wanted her back? After all this time?

They never really had tried, she realised.

But, then again, there was Liam.

Her feelings for him stretched beyond friendship, but it just felt like such a wrong time for everything.

Darla kissed her son's cheek. He was the only thing that made sense right now.

"You're my boy," she whispered to him. "I love you so much, baby."

She gently set him down in his crib and watched him for a few moments.

She stalled until she was sure Hans had left and then headed into the kitchen to get herself a glass of water.

Tonight, she'd seen the Hans she had fallen in love with.

He was sweet and caring- and his main focus in life was their son, not his career.

But, Darla still did not know if she could trust him after all that had happened.

She sighed and watched outside the window for a few long moments as she drank her water.

Darla walked into the sitting room and decided to firecall her twin sister. She needed to see Drew and get her perspective. Hopefully, her sister would be objective.

"Drew?" she called out, poking her head into the fire.

"Hi, Darla," Drew called back. "What's going on?"

"Can you come over for a few minutes?" Darla asked. "I need to talk to you."

"Sure," Drew replied. "I'll be there in just a couple of minutes. Let me just let Brian know."

"Thanks," Darla said gratefully. She went into the kitchen to make more tea.

Drew arrived a short time later and could tell right away that something was on her sister's mind. "What's happened?"

Darla told her sister what Hans had said to her. "I know you lot hate him now... but I do still love him, Drew."

Drew looked as if she wanted to say something, but she remained silent.

"But..." Darla hesitated. "I do have some feelings for Liam. I'm just not sure what's going on there."

Drew leaned back in her chair. "Darla---Hans----cheated on you."

"I know," Darla replied. "I know what he did."

"And you're actually considering getting back together with him?" Drew asked.

Darla shrugged, feeling more confused than ever.

"You've filed the papers," Drew continued. "He lives in New York City. You live here. I know that he's been a little more present lately, but come on----"

Darla shook her head. "Maybe I should talk to someone impartial about this."

"You just want someone to tell you to get back together with Hans," Drew retorted.

"I didn't say that," Darla was growing angry with her sister.

"You didn't have to," Drew said, getting out of her chair.

"Thanks," Darla said sarcastically. "You were a big help. I should have known better."

Drew laughed bitterly. "Oh, excuse me. Excuse all of us for not being too fond of the bloke who broke your heart into a thousand pieces and didn't care less."

Darla rolled her eyes. "I didn't say I WAS going to go back to him. I was just asking your advice because I'm bloody confused about what I'm feeling right now about everything. But don't bother. I'll find someone else to talk to."

"Darla," Drew said trying to keep her tone calm. "Imagine what you would have told me if I said that I wanted to go back to Paul after what happened."

"That was different," Darla said quietly.

Drew walked over to her sister. "Dar, I love you very much. I just don't want to see you hurt again."

"That's why I need advice," Darla said. "Because I don't know where I need to be."

"I can't tell you what to do," Drew said quietly. "But, I really do think that going back to Hans would be a big mistake, Darla. Big."

"Perhaps," Darla said noncommittally.

Drew sighed.

"I guess it's something I have to figure out on my own," Darla told her.

Drew nodded. "You should probably talk to Mum. She can be objective. She's the only one who tolerates Hans."

"Probably a good idea," Darla agreed softly.

"I'm sorry for getting upset," Drew said. "I just don't want you to get hurt. I want you to be happy."

"Thanks," Darla hugged her sister. "I'm sorry for snapping at you. I'm just frustrated."

"I know," Drew said.

"I'll talk to you later," Darla said.

Drew squeezed her hand. "Take care, Darla."

"I'll see you tomorrow," Darla said. "Saffy owled me and said they're going shopping."

Drew nodded. "Dress shopping!"

"She's so excited," Darla said.

"As she should be," Drew said pointedly. "Andrew and Saffy are perfect for each other."

Darla gave her sister a look. "I don't need the tone..."

Drew held up her hands. "Sorry. See? Mum would be so much better at this than me."

"I'll see her tomorrow after we're done shopping," Darla replied

"Good idea," Drew said. She gave her sister one last hug before leaving. She arrived back home to find Brian working on a project. Chloe had already fallen asleep.

"Everything alright?" Brian asked.

"I think Darla's thinking of going back to Hans," Drew told her husband.

"Oh?" Brian asked in surprise.

"Apparently he's decided now that he's still got feelings for her," Drew rolled her eyes.

"After all this time?" Brian asked.

"That's what he told her tonight," Drew said. "He's going to break her heart again."

Drew sat down on Brian's lap and leaned against him. He put his arms around her and rested his chin on her shoulder. "Maybe he's changed. Having a kid will do that to you, Drew."

"Didn't do it for Paul," she grumbled.

"Paul was a bastard," Brian said. "You and Hope deserved better than him."

Drew nodded. "I got better, with you."

Brian turned her around so she was facing him. "I love you."

"I love you too," Drew gave him a kiss. "Brian... have you ever given any thought to having any more kids?"

Brian smiled. "Why? Have you?"

"Yes," she confessed.

"Really?" Brian asked.

"I think Chloe would make a good big sister," Drew said.

"Me too," Brian said giving her a kiss.

"Well perhaps we should get started," Drew said, moving her lips over his neck.

"Mmmm," Brian murmured.

"Take me upstairs," Drew commanded softly.

Brian stood up with his wife in his arms. He gave her another kiss. "Whatever you say."

Drew felt lucky every day that she had Brian. He was an amazing man and a wonderful father.

She wanted the same thing for her sister and she could not understand why Darla was contemplating getting back together with someone who was so wrong for her.

*** *** ***

After Saffron and Alexa had left to go shopping, Andrew packed up everything he would need for Ellie for the day and headed over to the Minister's mansion. The letter he'd gotten from Hermione had told him to be there around half past ten.

Of course, Saffron had wanted to know where he was going to be and Andrew had lied and said that he was going to take Ellie to the park. It was a half-truth, he rationalised. He had to walk through a park to get to the Minister's mansion. Besides, this was a good lie. She would certainly be surprised when she found out what he was doing.

"Andrew," Hermione smiled in greeting when he had arrived.

Andrew pushed the pram inside and Hermione peered down at her granddaughter. "Good morning, my love," Hermione whispered.

"She was looking forward to seeing her Gran," Andrew said with a grin.

Hermione smiled back at him. "She's getting so big."

"Too fast," Andrew agreed.

"Do you want a bite to eat before we get started?" Hermione asked. "Harry made waffles."

"Sure," Andrew agreed eagerly. "That sounds great!"

Hermione picked up her granddaughter from the pram. "Come on then."

Harry was still in the kitchen when Hermione led Andrew in. "Good morning," he said to his future son in law.

"Good morning," Andrew said. "How are you?"

"Great," Harry replied. "And how's my beautiful granddaughter?"

"She only woke us up twice last night," Andrew said sitting down at the table.

"Wait until she starts teething," Harry replied as he took the baby from Hermione.

"She looks so much like Saffy when she was a baby, doesn't she?" Hermione asked.

"Just like her," Harry agreed.

"Good thing she didn't get my ugly mug," Andrew joked.

"You're very handsome, Andrew," Hermione told him. "I think she's inherited some of your features that will become more apparent as she gets older.

Harry noticed for the first time that the pyjamas Ellie was wearing bore the Wimbourne insignia. "I guess Saffy didn't dress her this morning?"

Andrew grinned. "I changed her after they left."

"You are living on the edge," Hermione said, setting a plate of waffles before her son-in-law.

"Risking quite a bit," Harry joked as Andrew dug into his food. "So what brings you over today?"

Hermione looked at her husband. "If we tell you, you have to promise not to say a word to Saffron, Harry."

Harry gave his wife a strange look.

"Promise," Hermione said firmly.

"I promise," Harry replied.

"Well, I wanted to do something special for the wedding for Saf," Andrew told his future father-in-law. "I know how much she loves to dance and I have two left feet on a good day."

"So he's taking dance lessons from me," Hermione said. "But I hoped you could watch and give us pointers."

"A lot of pointers," Andrew said. "I'm complete rubbish at this."

"We'll sort you out," Harry said, bouncing Ellie gently in his arms.

"Saffy will be so surprised," Hermione told Andrew.

"I hope so," Andrew replied with a grin.

Andrew ate his breakfast while Harry and Hermione doted on Ellie. A little while later, the three of them along with Ellie walked down the corridor to the ballroom.

"I can't wait to teach this one a move or two," Harry kissed Ellie on the cheek. "When she's older."

Hermione grinned. "I can already see her standing on your feet."

"Just like Saffron," Andrew recalled. "I've seen photos."

Hermione smiled at the memory. "She loved it when Harry would do that."

"Hopefully I'll learn enough that I can dance with El someday," Andrew said, gazing at his daughter.

"You will," Hermione said opening the door the ballroom and ushering Andrew and Harry inside.

Andrew had been in the ballroom before but was always awed by its size. With a wave of his hand, Harry set the torches in the rooms alight.

Hermione looked at Harry. "I was thinking we could start him out with a simple waltz."

"Good idea," Harry nodded.

Andrew nodded. "Simple. I like that."

"It won't always be this simple," Hermione produced a Wireless with a flick of her wand. "But we'll work up to it."

Harry sat down with Ellie. "Let's see what your old man can do, eh Ellie?"

Ellie cooed up at him while Harry grinned.

"All right," Hermione said. "I'll lead, and then later on I'll let you lead."

"Don't listen to her, Andrew," Harry called out. "She likes to lead."

Hermione shot her husband a look. "He never lets me, so I'm surprised I know how."

"On the dance floor, the bloke is supposed to lead," Harry reminded her with a cheeky grin. "In fact, I think it's the only aspect of our life where I do."

"He's got that part right," Hermione told Andrew. "All right... you put your arms here, and start with your foot just there."

Andrew thought that sounded easy enough. He put his arms on Hermione's waist and positioned his foot as she told him.

"And..." Hermione began to move him as the music started. "One... two... three..."

Andrew stepped on her foot. "Sorry..."

"It's all right," Hermione assured him. "Just remember, left foot first."

Andrew nodded. "Left foot first, got it."

Hermione smiled at him. "Let's start over."

Andrew did the steps this time without stepping on Hermione's feet.

"Good!" Hermione said encouragingly.

Andrew smiled. "Really?"

Hermione nodded. "So far."

"Try not to look down at your feet," Harry told him.

"Okay," Andrew replied. "I probably wouldn't be doing that with Saffy."

"It's natural," Hermione reassured him. "When Harry was teaching me, I used to look at my feet all the time."

"All the time," Harry chimed in.

"And he wasn't the most patient teacher in the beginning," Hermione recalled.

She and Harry had been practising every free minute they had for the dance at the hotel and Hermione was pretty much running on fumes. He had sent word that they'd have to practise at one in the morning and Hermione was a little late because she had fallen asleep. She ran to the dance studio and opened the door to find a very angry Harry waiting for her.

"Nice of you to show up," Harry muttered.

"Well you didn't give me any notice," Hermione said, scraping her hair back into a ponytail.

"I sent you a note," Harry said turning away from her. "Let me guess...you thought I meant one in the afternoon?"

Hermione sighed. "I just got the note a little while ago."

"Not my problem," Harry said waving his hand and starting the music.

Hermione rolled her eyes and wondered yet again why she had agreed to do this.

Hermione yawned and this apparently was the straw that broke the camel's back.

"Oh," Harry said sarcastically. "I'm sorry to be keeping you awake, Madam Granger. How tiring it must be to sit on your arse all day..."

"Would you just shut up?" Hermione asked. "Honestly, you have no idea what I do all day."

Harry sighed. "Come on. Let's do this."

"Fine," she said shortly. "Then I can go continue sitting on my arse and not bother you."

She turned on her heel but he grabbed her arm. "Look, I'm sorry...."

"Right," Hermione said coolly.

"It's been a long day," Harry said running a hand absently through his hair. "I had two lessons and then my uncle was on my case all bloody day about Cho. I--I didn't mean to take it out on you."

Hermione regarded him for a long moment. "All right," she shrugged.

Harry stared back at her. Cho was always telling him to be nicer to her given the huge favour she was doing for them.

"Let's just get going," she said.

"Right," Harry said. "Do you need a moment to warm up?"

"No," she said. "I'll be fine."

Harry nodded and put his hands on her waist. "Okay...one...two..three..."

Hermione looked down at her feet as they began the tango. "No!" Harry snapped. "Look up!"

Hermione jumped, startled at his tone. "I just wanted to make sure that I was doing the steps right."

"I'll tell you if you're doing them wrong," Harry said, but not as harshly.

Hermione looked up. "Okay."

"Start again," Harry said, waving his hand and letting the music begin once more.

"Just look into my eyes," Harry told her. "Listen to the music and just remember the steps."

"Right," Hermione said, gazing up at him. His eyes were amazing, she had to admit. Looking at his eyes was never a problem.

"We have to sell this," Harry continued. "We have to look like we're crazy about each other."

"Of course," she agreed softly.

"Okay," Harry said. "I'm going to spin you out and then bring you back...don't look down. Just go with it."

"All right," Hermione said, readying herself.

Harry did as he told her, but Hermione stumbled a bit. "Sorry," Hermione apologised.

"Try it again," Harry said with surprising patience.

Hermione was taken aback. She was sure that with his surly mood he would have berated her for the mistake.

Harry spun her out again and pulled her back to him. She was trying hard, he could tell.

"Good," Harry complimented her.

Hermione nearly fell over in surprise. "Really?"

"For a beginner," Harry clarified.

There always had to be a catch, she thought. "Again?"

Harry nodded. "Again."

Hermione nodded and wiped at her forehead. "Okay."

"Tomorrow, we'll start on the lifts," Harry told her as they went through the first part of the routine.

"Lifts?" she asked.

"There are two in the routine Cho and I choreographed," Harry said. "But, I'm thinking we could take one out."

"Whatever you think is best," she said as he twirled her around. "You're the expert."

They spent the next hour going through the routine. By the end, Hermione was nearly dead on her feet. Harry handed her a bottle of water. "Not bad," He grudgingly admitted.

"You think so?" she asked, gulping the water down. "Merlin... I don't think I've ever done anything this physical." Hermione arched her back as she stretched.

Harry tried to avert his eyes as the tank top she was wearing hugged her body in all the right places. His bottle of water fell to the ground and Hermione looked over at him. "Are you alright?"

"Fine," he grunted. "That's it... I'll see you later."

"What time do you want to meet tomorrow?" Hermione asked.

"I have three lessons in the morning," Harry said. "Can you get away at two?"

"Two?" Hermione asked. "Um..."

"I don't want to keep you from your croquet lessons," Harry said sarcastically.

Hermione glared at him. "You---you're the most----the most----infuriating, egotistical, arrogant, mean..."

Harry rolled his eyes.

"For your information, I'm doing this behind my parents' back," Hermione told him. "I've never, ever hidden anything from them, but because I agreed to help you, I lie to them everyday. Forgive me for taking a minute to see if I'd be able to get away!"

"Relax," Harry replied. "If you can't make it at two, then what time can you get away?"

"Two should be fine," Hermione told him. "If not, I'll get word to you somehow."

"Good," Harry replied.

Hermione studied him for a moment. "Well, good night, then."

"Night," Harry said, watching as she slipped out the door.

Andrew laughed as Hermione finished her story. "I'm surprised you didn't hex him after he treated you like that."

"I wanted to," Hermione told him. "He would have deserved it at that point too."

"I wasn't that bad," Harry said defensively.

"Not in the long run," Hermione told her husband.

"Looks like he was a good teacher," Andrew said. "You're great at this."

"Thank you," Hermione said. "Soon you will be too."

"At least we have a lot of time," Andrew said dryly.

"Exactly," Hermione said. "We are looking forward to the wedding so much- well... I am. Harry will have a bit of a hard time letting go."

"It's my little girl," Harry said looking down at Ellie.

"I suppose that's how I'll be with her someday," Andrew said, motioning to his daughter.

"Hopefully, Ellie will marry someone as great as you," Hermione said to him.

"She won't be getting married," Andrew said. "Not ever."

Hermione laughed. "That's what Harry used to say."

"Yes well..." Harry kissed the baby's forehead. "As long as Saffron's happy..."

"She is," Hermione said. "And she'll be overjoyed when she sees Andrew dance at the wedding."

"I hope so," Andrew replied as Hermione positioned him again.

"This time, I'll let you lead," Hermione told him. "Just do what I showed you."

Andrew nodded. "Okay..."

"Can I make a suggestion?" Harry asked. "Turn your feet out a little more."

"Oh," Andrew said sheepishly.

"You too, Hermione," Harry told his wife.

"Always the teacher," Hermione said.

"I do know best," Harry replied, patting Ellie gently on the back.

"Maybe it would help if you two showed me how it's supposed to look," Andrew said stepping forward to take Ellie.

"We could do that," Harry said with a grin.

Andrew took Ellie from Harry. "Let’s see if you still got it, Pops."

"Very funny," Harry said. "I used to like you."

Andrew laughed. "Only kidding, sir."

"Better," Harry said. "Okay... if you stand close like this, you can see how it offsets her balance."

"And no spaghetti arms," Hermione teased. "Hold your frame."

"Don't say that about yourself," Harry said.

Andrew watched as the older couple danced effortlessly around the room.

"Look at that, El..." he whispered to his daughter. "I want to dance like that with your mum at our wedding."

Ellie smacked her lips.

Andrew grinned as Ellie gazed up at him. "I love you, baby girl."

"We've still got it," Hermione was saying to Harry.

"Of course we do," Harry said.

"And you have to practise so you can dance with Saffy at the wedding," Hermione said.

"I wouldn't miss that for the world," Harry said.

"It's never easy to let go," Hermione said thoughtfully.

"No, it's not," Harry dipped her back.

Hermione smiled up at him.

"I still love you so much," Harry said as he pulled her back up. "Always my girl."

"I love you too," Hermione said softly.

"I don't think he's even paying attention anymore," Harry motioned to Andrew who was playing with Ellie.

Hermione looked over and laughed. "She can be distracting, can't she?"

Harry grinned. "I think you're off to a good start."

"He'll get it," Hermione said determinedly.

"I'm sure he will," Harry nodded.

"After all, I'm a more patient teacher than some people in this room," Hermione said. "Some arrogant, egotistical..."

Harry squeezed her side. "What was that?"

Hermione pulled an innocent face. "Nothing..."

"Didn't think so," Harry pulled her close again.

"It didn't take long before I had you wrapped around my finger," Hermione said resting her head on his shoulder.

Harry tightened his arms around her. "No, it sure didn't."

"We've come a long way," Hermione said.

"Everyone has," Harry agreed.

Once Ellie had fallen asleep, Andrew rejoined Hermione on the dance floor. He managed to only step on her feet a couple more times and Hermione declared their first lesson a good beginning.

Andrew was quite pleased with himself. "I can't wait to dance with Saf."

"We'll work on it again next Saturday," Hermione told him.

"I'll have to think of another excuse to get out of the house," Andrew said. "It'll get easier when she goes back to practise."

"Just let me know when you can come by," Hermione told him.

"I will," Andrew promised. "Thanks again."

"It's my pleasure," Hermione told him. She peered into the pram where Ellie was sleeping.

"She'll be out for awhile," Andrew said. "It's her kip time."

Harry shook Andrew's hand. "Maybe I'll ask Saffy to lunch next Saturday so you can come over here to practise."

"You'd do that?" Andrew brightened.

"Of course," Harry replied.

"That would be great," Andrew said. "Thanks."

Harry was eager to spend some alone time with his youngest. They hadn't had a chance to do that in a long time.

"And I'm sure she'll even bring El," Andrew said. "As if you needed any more convincing."

"Twist his arm," Hermione teased.

"I should get back," Andrew said. "Thanks again."

"Bye, Andrew," Hermione said leaning against her husband.

"See you next week," Andrew replied as he left.

"So, expert," Hermione said turning to look at her husband. "How do you rate me as a teacher?"

"Hmmm..." Harry said. "A seven."

Hermione nudged him. "Seven?"

"And a half," Harry said quickly.

"Seven and a half?" Hermione rolled her eyes.

"I had to help," Harry said, keeping a straight face.

Hermione scoffed. "A little bit. You helped a little bit is all."

"I still had to help," Harry pointed out.

"Well, it's a good thing I wasn't giving out marks when you were first teaching me," Hermione told him.

"On attitude?" Harry asked playfully. "Because I know I'm a 10 in dancing."

Hermione shook her head. "We'll need to add on another wing to the house with that ego."

Harry laughed. "You loved me."

Hermione looped her arms around his neck. "Yeah..."

"Everything about me," Harry said, pulling her closer.

"I wouldn't go that far," Hermione said coyly.

"Sure you did," Harry skimmed his lips over her neck.

"Mmmhmm," Hermione said closing her eyes.

"You know what I'd like to see right now?" Harry asked softly.

"What?" Hermione asked.

"You," Harry said. "In that dress... from that night..."

Hermione pulled away. "Harry, it's been years and I doubt I could still fit in it..."

"I think you can," Harry told her.

"There's no way," Hermione argued.

"For me?" Harry asked, his hand grazing over her hip.

Hermione sighed. "I'll try it on, but..."

"And even if it doesn't... that's okay too." Harry said. "But I'm sure it will."

Hermione led the way upstairs to their bedroom. She walked into the closet and pulled out the famous red dress.

"That’s it," Harry's eyes gleamed.

Hermione shooed him out. "Go sit down while I change."

"I can't watch?" Harry asked innocently

Hermione shoved him out. "Go."

"Not like I haven't seen you in less," Harry complained.

Reluctantly, he sat down on the edge of their bed and waited.

Hermione pulled off her jumper and trousers and reached for the dress. She couldn't believe she was going to try this on after all these years.

"How does it fit?" he called eagerly.

Hermione grimaced. "It's tight."

"I bet it still looks great," Harry replied.

Hermione reluctantly stepped out of the closet.

Harry's eyes widened.

Hermione smoothed down the dress. "I told you. I'm not---"

"Amazing," Harry said. Hermione had more curves than she'd had when she'd first worn the dress, but to him, she had never been more beautiful.

Hermione smiled. "Really?"

"You are so stunning," Harry said, his eyes fixated on her.

"And you are such a flatterer," Hermione said stepping closer to him.

"I'm just being honest," Harry said. "Wow..."

Hermione sat down on his lap.

Harry ran his hands over her hips. "You are incredible, Hermione. The most incredible woman I know."

Hermione pressed her forehead against his. "I love you, Harry James Potter."

"I love you too," Harry said, closing his eyes. "You changed my life, you know."

"As you changed mine," Hermione said softly.

Harry ran his hands up and down her back, which was bare due to the dress.

Hermione smiled. "Did you want to dance again?"

"I always want to dance with you," Harry told her.

"It's a shame you don't still have that outfit you wore the night of the dance," Hermione commented as she stood up.

"I might have something like it," Harry replied.

"We ought to go out dancing to the Sheldrake," Hermione said.

"Like this?" Harry asked, getting up and heading for the closet.

Hermione laughed. "I can't believe I'm actually considering going out in public in this dress."

"We can just dance here and pretend it's the Sheldrake," Harry suggested.

"I like that better," Hermione said.

"Me too," Harry came back out in black trousers and a white dress shirt on.

"Ah," Hermione smiled. "That's perfect."

Harry grinned at her. "Let's dance."

"I'd love to," Hermione replied taking his hand.

He led her to the ballroom. "Close your eyes," he told her.

Hermione did as he asked.

Harry muttered a few quick spells under his breath and with a few waves of his wand, transformed their ballroom into a copy of what the Sheldrake had looked like the night of their first dance.

"Can I open my eyes now?" Hermione asked.

"Yes," Harry said, sliding his arms around her from behind.

Hermione opened her eyes and gasped.

"Does this take you back?" he asked.

Hermione nodded.

Harry had even imagined the crowd right outside the curtain waiting for them to perform. The familiar melody began as the curtain pulled back.

Hermione giggled. "Harry, this is perfect."

"Just relax," he murmured teasingly in her ear.

Hermione placed her arms on his shoulders.

The dance still came effortlessly to both of them and they moved through it with ease.

Harry even lifted his wife effortlessly.

"You've still got it," Hermione said breathlessly.

"So do you," Harry said setting her down.

Hermione smiled as the dance ended and Harry pulled her close. The dance had ended with them staring into each other's eyes and she recalled that moment, so long ago.

The night that changed everything, Hermione remembered.

"What are you thinking about?" Harry asked, still holding her close.

"How happy you've made me," Hermione replied.

"You made me happy too," Harry said, running his hands up and down her back again.

"You know, if we are recreating that night," Hermione said flirtatiously. "There was something else that happened for the first time that night, too."

Harry grinned. "I'll never forget that."

"So what do you say?" Hermione asked.

"Have I ever turned you down?" Harry asked.

Hermione shook her head. "Never..."

"Why start now?" Harry asked, waving his hand to make a jumble of pillows and blankets appear on the floor.

"You think of everything," Hermione said fondly. She felt much like the young girl she'd been that night.

"I try," Harry said, his voice muffled as he trailed his lips over her neck.

Hermione closed her eyes. They would definitely have to take a trip down memory lane more often.

She arched her back, enjoying the way his hands brushed over her skin.

Harry smiled down at her. "You're driving me crazy here, Hermione."

"Don't I know it," Hermione said devilishly, lowering the straps of her dress.

Harry's eyes darkened. "You're going to pay for that."

"What are you going to do?" Hermione challenged.

Harry pretended to think about this for a moment. He sat up and slowly unbuttoned his shirt. When Hermione lifted a hand to help him, he swatted her away.

"You don't want my help?" she asked innocently.

"No," Harry said with a grin. "I'm just trying to drive you as crazy as you've done me."

Hermione gave him a patented look. "Two can play at that game you know." she said, slipping one strap down her arm and then the other.

"Oh yeah?" Harry asked, tossing his shirt over his shoulder.

"Mmmhmmm..." she said, lowering the top of the dress.

"It's only because I like that dress that I'm not ripping it off of you right now," Harry said.

Hermione smiled.

Harry pulled her to him and kissed her.

Hermione purred deep in her throat as she pressed her body against his.

Harry didn't break the kiss as he slowly pulled the dress off of his wife.

Hermione ran her fingers over his bare chest, moving them down to his black trousers.

"I can't hold out much longer," Harry told her.

"I don't expect you to," Hermione said her voice husky.

Hermione made quick work of undoing his belt.

Harry waited impatiently as his wife worked his trousers off and then he pulled her down onto the mess of pillows and blankets.

Hermione giggled. "Harry!"

"This feels like that first time we made love in my dance studio back at Hillsdale," Harry replied.

"I hope you don't think I'm sneaking out of here afterwards," Hermione teased.

Harry laughed. "There's no one to see you around here."

"Just you," Hermione said softly.

"I love that I'm the only one to see you like this," Harry said, his eyes roaming over her body.

"Me too," Hermione said reaching for him.

Harry settled his body over hers. Still, after all these years, they fit together perfectly.

Hermione kissed him.

Harry ran his palm over her bare chest, cupping her breast in his hand. He pulled his mouth from hers and moved his lips over her skin, working his way down.

"Harry," Hermione whispered, closing her eyes.

"Shhh..." he whispered.

Hermione opened her eyes and met his gaze.

"I'm still so in love with you," Harry said, still running his hand over her body.

"The feeling is definitely mutual," Hermione said smiling as Harry's hand rested on her upper thigh.

Harry grinned back at her as his hand travelled higher.

Hermione's breath caught in her throat.

Hermione clutched a blanket as Harry's fingers made her body clench itself.

Harry loved that he could still do that to her after all this time together.

"Harry..." Hermione said breathlessly, her body coming up underneath him.

"Ready?" Harry asked huskily.

"Now I can't hold out much longer," Hermione replied, her eyes gone dark.

"Well," Harry said positioning himself over her. "Let's put you and me out of our misery..."

Hermione closed her eyes, and let her head fall back as Harry pushed himself into her.

"Merlin, Hermione," Harry said before kissing her again.

She moaned into his mouth as she ran her fingernails over his bare back.

They began to move together and Hermione wrapped her legs around him, eager for him to go deeper.

Harry pushed as far into her as he could possibly go. He was propped up on his arms, looking down at his wife.

Hermione opened her eyes and smiled up at him, incapable of speech at the moment.

Harry let out a moan as he let his forehead rest on hers.

She touched his cheek. "That was something else."

"It always is with you," Harry responded.

"That red dress works every time," Hermione said cheekily.

Hermione laughed. "I'm just glad I can still fit into it."

"Perfectly," Harry said as he rolled over onto his back.

Hermione pulled one of the blankets up over them and snuggled up next to her husband.

"And the best part is that you get to stay with me now," Harry said. "No sneaking around."

"That's definitely the best part," Hermione kissed him.

"And for that Miss Granger you definitely get top marks," Harry said.

Hermione laughed. "I never fail at anything, you know."

Harry nodded. "I know that very well."

"We could sleep here tonight," Hermione said suggestively, rolling over on top of him.

"Sleep?" Harry asked, putting his arms around her.

"Just a little," Hermione responded coyly.

"Just like that first night," Harry said before bringing her to him.

310. Chapter 310 Decisions, Decisions, Decisions ...


Authors' note: Tonight's chapter brings back Neville and his family. We hope you enjoy the chapter and please review and let us know what you think!

While Harry and Hermione were enjoying their trip down memory lane, Neville and Cho were preparing dinner for two of their daughters. Chiaki already knew about what was going on with her grandparents, but tonight Cho and Neville were going to break the news to Frankie. They planned to tell Allison once she was off bed rest.

They were also concerned about Hannah- Frankie had filled them in on the things the little girl's classmates had found out and Cho was hoping Frankie would have an update to that situation.

Neville had made two versions of his famous spaghetti---a vegetarian version for Chiaki and Cho and a regular version for him and Frankie. Cho was just setting the table when Chiaki came into the kitchen. "It smells delicious in here, Dad," Chiaki said walking over to him and giving him a hug.

Neville smiled and hugged her back. "I'm glad you lot made it."

"I haven't been able to think of much else," Chiaki said. "I don't even know how Frankie's going to react."

"Hopefully she'll understand," Cho said.

Neville had read over the research countless times and he still was not sure what to do. The idea of having his parents back was almost too good to be true. The consequences if this spell went wrong were almost too much to think about.

Cho seemed to read his mind. "We'll help you figure it all out, one way or the other." she told her husband.

"Mum?" Frankie called out.

"In the kitchen, love," Cho called to her.

Frankie appeared in the doorway. "It smells amazing in here."

Cho gave her daughter a hug. "I'm so glad you could come by. How are Will and the kids?"

"They're fine," Frankie said. "Excited that they got to all have pizza tonight since I was coming here for dinner."

Chiaki laughed. "That's how Tosh and the twins were."

Frankie hugged her older sister. "I haven't seen you in awhile, Chi."

"We've both been busy," Chiaki said. "You look gorgeous as always."

"Thank you," Frankie glowed from the compliment.

"How are things with Hannah?" Cho asked handing her daughters a glass of wine.

"Better," Frankie said. "We had a talk with her teacher- and apparently the boy who started all this- his father is a lawyer, and had to reference the case in court. He was talking about it at home and the boy overheard it."

"No one else is giving our Hannah a hard time are they?" Neville asked.

"Not anymore," Frankie said. "I told her teacher if they kept having a go at her, I'd come in and have a talk with them myself. But now they're giving her a bit of a hard time about being adopted."

Chiaki folded her arms. "Why on earth do children have to be so cruel?"

"If they weren't children..." Frankie shook her head. "Will kept calling me Mama Bear. I've always been overly protective of Hannah, but I feel like I have to be."

"She's your girl in every single way that counts," Chiaki said. "And as long as Hannah knows that, that's all that matters."

"She does," Frankie nodded. "Nathan and Isabelle don't know what's going on, of course, but they've been extra sweet with her lately."

Cho smiled. "That's great, Frankie."

"Other than that, I've been really busy with the team," Frankie said. "Saffron's coming back in a few more weeks."

"Can you get Tosh and me tickets?" Chiaki asked. "We'd love to see her first match back."

"Sure," Frankie replied.

"Dinner is served," Neville said to his family.

"I'm starved," Chiaki said.

The four of them sat down at the table and Frankie's eyes fell on the empty chair beside her. "Allie's going stir crazy stuck in bed."

"I hope this isn't a difficult pregnancy for her," Cho said, passing the salad around the table.

"Me too," Frankie said. "But if she listens to Lizzy, everything should be fine."

"We miss her at the office," Cho replied.

"Emma gives us a report every class," Chiaki said fondly.

Frankie grinned. "She's so funny."

Neville remembered the way his own mother had picked up the photograph of Emma.

He shared a look with Cho, who nodded in understanding. "Frankie," she began. "Your father wanted you here because he's got something he wants to discuss with you."

Frankie looked across the table at her father. "What's going on, Dad?"

"Well..." Neville said. "I've recently been made aware of a cure for my parents. There's a possibility of them being... well being brought out of the state they're in."

Frankie glanced around the table at her mother and older sister, not sure if what her father was telling her was the truth. Cho nodded.

"How?" she managed.

Chiaki squeezed her sister's hand. "Their healer has been testing a counter spell for quite some time. He's had some success at it and he thinks that Grandpa Frank and Grandma Alice would be perfect for it."

"Wow..." Frankie was stunned. "I mean... do they think it will really work? What happens if it doesn't?"

"There's a chance that they could be worse than they are now," Neville said quietly. "Coma. In one case, the patient...."

"Do you think it's worth the risk, dad?" Frankie asked.

"Of course it is!" Chiaki replied before Neville could. "Think of it, Frankie. We could have them back in our lives---for real. They could get to know our children...."

"That would be wonderful," Frankie admitted.

"And Dad---Dad would have his parents back after all this time," Chiaki said.

"Have you decided to do it?" Frankie asked.

"I don't know," Neville admitted. "If something happened, I couldn't live with myself."

"But think of the possibilities if it goes well," Cho reasoned.

"I have," Neville said.

"I think it sounds like it's worth it," Frankie said after several long moments. "Of course... that's a very uneducated statement from me, considering I really don't have any facts here... but I know I'd love to get to know them, and have the kids know them too."

"Me too," Chiaki said softly.

Neville nodded. "I've been thinking a lot about that."

"Ultimately, the decision lies with you, Neville," Cho said.

"I know," Neville sighed.

"What does your heart tell you to do?" Frankie asked gently.

"I don't know," Neville said. "Part of me thinks it's too big a risk. But the other part says to go for it."

Frankie could tell how this was weighing on her father and she reached for his hand. "Daddy, whatever you decide, I'll support you."

"Thanks, baby," Neville smiled at her. "I appreciate that."

"Allie doesn't know?" Frankie asked.

"We thought it best not to involve her while she's on bed rest," Cho said after a moment. "Especially if she's having a difficult pregnancy. We don't want to stress her out."

Frankie nodded. "Well, I don't want to speak for her, but I think she would feel the same way. She's going to support you in any decision you make, Dad."

Neville nodded again.

"When do you have to let them know?" Frankie asked.

"Whenever I'm ready," Neville told her.

"We wanted time to go through all the research," Cho explained.

"I understand," Frankie nodded. "That's very important."

"I remember the stories Gran Longbottom told us about how they used to be," Chiaki said softly.

"Yeah," Neville said wistfully. "They were really something."

"And they have a great son," Cho said. "Who loves them very much and would do anything to keep them safe."

Neville nodded. "I would like to have them back..."

Chiaki smiled at her father.

"I suppose it's worth the risk," Neville said thoughtfully.

Cho stood up and hugged her husband. "You don't have to rush this decision, you know."

"I know," Neville said. "I still want to do some research before I just make a decision."

Frankie nodded. "Of course. I'd like to read over it myself, if I could."

"Sure," Neville nodded.

Cho promised to give her a copy to take home. Frankie wanted to go over it with Will.

"He'll probably understand it more than me," Frankie replied. "But I'd like to think about what could happen here."

"It's good to be informed," Neville agreed. He pushed his plate away. He wasn't very hungry at the moment.

"So," Frankie said after a moment. "Do you think Allie will be upset you aren't telling her about this?"

"Yes," Chiaki replied.

"Perhaps it won't be so stressful on her as you think..." Frankie said.

"And she'll hate that we kept this from her," Chiaki said to her mother. "Allie's strong."

"Let your father and I handle this," Cho told her daughters.

Chiaki opened her mouth to say something but thought better of it.

"What is it?" Neville asked his oldest daughter.

Chiaki shook her head. "It's not my place, Dad. If you want to tell Allie, that's your decision. I just think she has a right to know."

Neville nodded. "Perhaps we'll go over to see her. Your mother and I just don't want to take any big risks though."

"You're not hungry, Dad?" Frankie asked him.

Neville shrugged. "Not really."

Frankie had never seen her father like this before. She tried to put herself in his place. What would she do if she found herself facing the same momentous decision that he did?

"It's a hard decision," Chiaki said softly. "I wish I could help you decide what to do."

"Thanks, sweetheart," Neville said. He stood up. "I'm going to take a walk. Clear my head, you know?"

"Do you want some company?" Cho asked.

Neville shook his head. "I'll be back."

Cho watched her husband leave. "He's really torn up about this."

"What do you think he's going to do, Mum?" Chiaki asked.

"I hope he'll decide to do it," Cho said. "I think there's an amazing chance that they could recover."

Chiaki smiled. "I think so, too. It would so great having them back."

"I'd certainly love to get to know them," Frankie said. "And I'd love for Hannah, Isabelle and Nathan to get to know them as well."

"Mas and Sukie too," Chiaki agreed.

"He knows," Cho told her daughters. "He knows exactly what you're thinking."

Neville spent the next hour walking around the neighbourhood. He tried to clear his mind but all he saw was himself as young boy visiting his parents. The scared boy who never knew what he was going to see when he walked into their shared hospital room. Would his mother be scared or would she be having one of her better days? Would his father stare into space or would he at least look at him?

His chance of growing up with them had been taken away, but now he had the chance to get to know them properly. On the other side of the coin though, he worried that it would all go awry.

Chiaki and Frankie were obviously leaning toward doing it and though she hadn't come out and said it, Cho also seemed to be in favour of it as well.

He wondered what his middle daughter would wind up thinking.

Neville found himself walking in the direction of Allison and Jon's house. Perhaps Chiaki was right; Allison did have a right to know what was going on with her family. Neville knocked on the door. He heard music and then footsteps. "Who there?" he heard Adam call out.

"NO!" Emma exclaimed, grabbing her brother by the arm. "You can't answer the door, Adam. You're a baby!"

"I'm not a baby!" Adam yelled at her.

"Are too!" Emma said in a sing-song voice. She was wearing her dress up clothes, a tiara and a pair of sunglasses. "Big baby!"

"Mean Em," Adam said angrily. "Go 'way!"

Neville opened the door.

"GRANDPA!" Emma said happily.

Adam grinned, forgetting momentarily his anger toward his sister. "Grandpa!"

"Hi you two," Neville had to smile.

Caroline hurried into the room. She was helping her father make dinner for the family. "Grandpa, what are you doing here?"

"Hi Angel," Neville replied. "I wanted to have a word with your mother, actually."

"She's upstairs," Caroline said. "Daddy went upstairs to check on her."

"How's she doing?" Neville asked.

"Better," Caroline replied.

Neville smiled at his granddaughter. "What smells so good?"

"Daddy and I are making chicken," Caroline said proudly.

"And I'm going to eat it ALL!" Emma announced proudly.

Adam looked at Caroline. "No, Sissy! No let Emma do that!"

"Don't worry Adam," Caroline soothed. "There's no way Emma can eat it all."

Neville patted Adam on the shoulder. "I'll be right back, you guys. I just need to talk to your mum."

Caroline hurried behind him. "Daddy says we have to be really good, and can't tell her any problems."

"I know," Neville said looking down at her. "I just want to talk to her is all, sweetheart."

"Okay," Caroline said anxiously. "But only nice things."

"I promise," Neville said to her.

Caroline smiled and turned her attention back to her siblings.

Upstairs in their bedroom, Allison was laughing at something Jon had just told her. She hated being bedridden like this, but she knew her husband was doing everything he could to make this easier on her.

"I don't need you to read me a bedtime story," Allison said nudging him. "If you just bring me a plate of that chicken casserole, I will be grateful. It smells soooooo good."

"Caroline's doing most of it," Jon admitted. "She's as good as you in the kitchen."

Allison smiled. "My little helper."

Neville knocked on the doorframe. "Hi Allie... hello Jon."

Allison looked up in surprise. "Dad, what are you doing here?"

"Just wanted to see how you were doing," Neville replied.

Jon shook his father-in-law's hand. "This is a nice surprise. Do you want to stay for dinner?"

Neville shook his head. "It smells wonderful, but I'm not hungry."

Jon smiled. "I'll be downstairs then. Al, yell if you need anything."

"We will," Allison said as Neville sat down on the edge of the bed.

"You look great, sweetheart," Neville said. "Are you feeling okay?"

Allison shrugged. "I hate lying about like this."

Neville smiled. "You know that's the way your Mum was when she was pregnant with Chiaki."

"She was on bed rest?" Allison asked.

"For part of it," Neville said, not wanting to tell his daughter about what had happened at Hillsdale.

Allison sighed. "I can get up here and there, but I have really limited time that I'm able to move around. I don't like feeling so useless."

"I know you don't like it, but it's the best for you and the baby," Neville said.

"I know," Allison replied. "So what brings you over?"

Neville looked at his middle daughter. He was not so sure this was a good idea now that he found himself sitting here. "I just wanted to see how you were doing."

"Bored, while the kids are gone." Allison admitted. "I'm glad for the company."

"I visited your grandparents the other day," Neville told her.

"You did?" Allison asked reaching for the glass of water at the side of her bed. "How are they? Were they having a good day?"

Neville shook his head. He told her about what Alice had been doing to herself.

Allison shook her head. "That's just terrible. I wish I could go see them."

"Something happened though," Neville said. "My mother spoke…she...picked up a photograph of Emma and said 'baby'."

Allison gasped. "She recognised Emma?"

Neville nodded.

"That's amazing!" Allison exclaimed. "You must have been so excited!"

Neville nodded. "I was. But, that's not all, Allie."

Allison looked at him quizzically.

Neville thought about his words. He didn't want to upset his daughter. "Well, Healer Turner has been working with them for years, as you know. He spoke with us the other day and he had some news for us."

"Good news?" Allison asked. "Or something bad?"

"I don't know," Neville replied honestly. "Um, it seems that Healer Turner has been working for years now on ways to counteract the effects of the Cruciatus curse."

Allison stared at him, her jaw fallen slack.

"That was pretty much my reaction too," Neville admitted.

"What are you going to do?" Allison asked him.

Neville shook his head. "I honestly don't know, Allison. Ever since I can remember, I've visited them at that hospital and they could remember me, but I don't think they knew that I was their son. I have boxes and boxes full of those gum wrappers Mum gave me. I would give anything to have them back. But---there's a chance this spell could do them great harm and that scares me to death."

Allison nodded thoughtfully.

He told her about the possible outcomes of the spell.

"It's definitely a lot of risk," Allison replied. "I don't blame you for taking your time to figure it out."

"Chiaki's known about it since she was there when the healer spoke with us," Neville told her. "And we just told Frankie tonight."

"Oh...." Allison couldn't explain why, but she was bothered that she'd been the last one told about this.

Neville squeezed her hand. "We didn't want to stress you out, Allie. That's why I didn't tell you sooner, but you had a right to know."

Allison nodded. "Of course."

"What do you think?" Neville asked her.

"I don't know," Allison replied truthfully.

"Me either," Neville said.

"I think it all comes down to what you want to do, Dad." Allison said.

"I'm thinking I want to do this," Neville admitted for the first time.

"It's quite an opportunity," Allison told him.

Neville smiled. "It is."

"I'm completely uneducated on this," Allison began. "But I know I'd like to get to know my grandparents."

"I want that for you and your sisters too," Neville said.

Allison pushed herself up. "Then perhaps we should go ahead with it."

Neville nodded. "I'm really sorry for not telling you sooner, Allie.'

"I know..." Allison said. "It hasn't been an easy month."

"If all goes well, your grandparents will get to meet that little one," Neville said looking at her stomach.

Allison's eyes filled with tears. "I hope so, Dad."

Neville gave his daughter a hug. "Me too."

Jon knocked on the door frame. "Everything okay?"

Neville turned. "Yes, I was just sharing some good news with Allie."

"Oh yeah?" Jon asked curiously.

Allison told her husband what her father had just divulged.

"Wow," Jon said. "That's... that's just incredible."

"It is," Neville said. "And I should probably get going. Your sisters and mum are waiting."

"They're all over at your place?" Allison asked wistfully.

Neville cursed himself for saying that. "Yes."

"Oh..." Allison said quietly. "Well... say hello to them for me."

"I will," Neville said giving her a hug.

Allison watched her father go and looked at her husband. "I bloody hate this."

"I know," Jon said sitting down. "But, dinner's ready. Caroline's bringing your tray."

"Another dinner in bed," Allison sighed.

"In two more days, you'll be doing it in a new house," Jon said trying to make her laugh.

"Right..." Allison leaned back against the pillows.

Just downstairs, Caroline was picking up her mother's tray and she carefully walked toward the staircase. Emma and Adam followed her. She turned and looked at them. "Daddy told you to sit down," Caroline told them.

"I want to see Mummy," Emma said. "She hasn't seen my new dress-up dress."

"You can see her after dinner," Caroline said.

"I want to see her now," Emma argued.

"Me too," Adam said.

"No," Caroline said firmly.

"You can't tell us what to do," Emma said running ahead of her sister.

"Emma!" Caroline called. "You get back down here and sit at the table!"

Emma ignored Caroline and took the steps two at a time.

"Bad Em!" Adam shouted, hurrying after her.

Emma ran into her parents' room and launched herself at the bed. "MUMMY!"

"Emma," Jon said. "I told you and Adam to stay downstairs and eat."

"I wanted to show Mummy my dress," Emma said standing up on the bed and starting to jump.

"Stop," Jon told his younger daughter sternly.

"Mummy, look at my dress," Emma squealed.

"Emma please," Allison closed her eyes. The motion of the bed was making her nauseated.

Emma stopped jumping and looked at her mother. "Mummy?"

Allison rubbed at her forehead as Caroline came in with the tray.

Caroline glared at Emma. "Emma! I told you to go sit down!"

"You're not the boss of me," Emma informed her.

"Well, I am and I want you and Adam to go downstairs and eat dinner," Jon said lifting Emma off the bed.

"I don't want to," Adam replied.

Allison looked at her two youngest. "Please go and eat dinner. You can come back up here afterwards and I'll read you a story."

"Promise?" Emma brightened.

"I promise," Allison replied.

"Okay," Emma said. "Come on Adam. We can eat really fast and we'll pick a good story."

Adam took his sister's hand and followed her out of the room. Caroline looked apologetically at her father. "They wouldn't listen to me, Daddy."

"They're pretty strong willed," Jon said sheepishly. "Sorry, Al."

"It's okay," Allison reassured them both.

"I hope you like dinner," Caroline said. "It smells soooooo good.

Allison smiled. "I'm sure I will. Thank you, angel."

"I'll bring you some dessert later," Caroline said. "We made strawberry shortcake."

"She did it all," Jon said putting his arm around Caroline.

Caroline blushed. "You helped a lot, Daddy."

"I bet he made a big mess, didn't he?" Allison asked Caroline.

"Just a bit," Caroline giggled.

Allison shook her head. "He's good at that."

"Thanks," Jon said sarcastically, but he was grinning. "Want me to bring you anything else, Al?"

Allison shook her head. "No, thanks."

"Come on Angel," Jon said. "Let's let your mum eat in peace."

Caroline nodded.

"Just holler if you need anything," Jon smiled at his wife.

Caroline looked at her father as they walked down the stairs. "Only two more nights in our house."

"I know, Angel." Jon said. "You okay with that?"

Caroline nodded. "I think so."

"You know, you do get the biggest room next to the master bedroom in the new place." Jon said.

"Max really does," Caroline said with a grin. "He's got the whole backyard!"

Jon laughed. "You're right."

Emma and Adam turned in their seats when they saw Caroline and Jon enter the room.

"Are you two behaving?" Jon asked suspiciously.

Emma smiled innocently. "Yes."

"Can I have more?" Adam asked. "Sissy makes good dinner."

Caroline beamed at him. "Sure, Adam. I'll get it."

Jon smiled affectionately at his kids. "Save some room for that strawberry shortcake."

"We always have room," Emma said happily.

Jon laughed again. "I know you always do, baby girl."

"Daddy, is it gonna rain tomorrow?" Emma asked him.

"I don't know, Em." Jon said. "Why?"

"I want to ride my bike with Mummy," Emma replied.

"Mummy's not going to ride a bike," Caroline said exasperatedly. "She can't get out of bed, Em!"

"She walks along with me while I ride mine," Emma said as if the answer should have been obvious. "And she tells me stories."

"Emma Madeline," Jon said. "Your mother has to rest. She can't go walking, or riding a bike."

Emma set her fork down and folded her arms across her chest. "She rests like all the time!"

"It's just until the baby is born," Caroline told her. "And then she can get up and do all the stuff she used to do."

"How much longer is that?" Emma asked.

"Six more months, sweetheart." Jon replied.

Emma gasped. "We can't play with Mummy for six months?"

"You can go up and read stories with her," Jon said. "And you can play in her room, but you have to behave."

Adam frowned and for once he and Emma were in agreement.

"Behave being the key word here," Jon said. "I don't want the two of you arguing."

Emma nodded. "Fine."

"Adam?" Jon looked at his son.

Caroline set a new dish of food before her little brother. "You'll be good for Mummy, right, Adam?"

Adam nodded. "Best."

Caroline mussed his hair. "That's a good boy, Adam."

Adam grinned at her. "Can I bring up dessert?"

"Sure," Caroline replied. "I think Mummy would love that."

"Me too!" Emma protested.

"Of course, you too," Jon said grinning at her.

"Okay," Emma relaxed. "We have to think of a name for the baby."

"Ashley," Adam said.

Caroline and Emma giggled.

"Pretty name," Adam said before taking a bite of his casserole.

"Yes it is," Jon replied. "But perhaps we'll have to think of something more original. We still have that book... packed away I'm sure, but once we're in the new house we'll read through it with Mummy."

"Adam lurves Ashley," Emma teased.

"Em loves Gabey," Adam returned.

"I'm over Gabey," Emma said dismissively.

"You are not," Caroline said.

"Are too," Emma told her. "I love Cole. He's in my class and he's my boyfriend."

"Wait a minute," Jon said. "Who is this Cole and why don't I know him?"

"Cause he doesn't know I love him," Emma said blushing. "But he shared his biscuits with me."

"Must be true love," Caroline teased.

Jon hid a smile. "Emma---how is he your boyfriend if he doesn't know you love him?"

"Because I said so," Emma replied matter-of- factly.

"I had no idea it worked that way," Jon said leaning back in his chair.

Emma nodded. "Someday he'll find out and we'll get married."

Jon tugged affectionately on one of his daughter's plaits. "Well, when can we meet my future son-in-law?"

"You have to promise to be nice," Emma told him.

"I will be on my best behaviour," Jon promised.

"I'll believe it when I see it," Emma quoted.

Caroline giggled. "Emma!"

"Where did you hear that?" Jon asked, laughing.

"Grandpa Neville," Emma replied.

Allison heard her family laughing downstairs and sighed. She wanted nothing more than to be down there, eating with them.

She patted her stomach. "It's just you and me, kid."

Her dinner was delicious, but Allison found that she wasn't very hungry. Instead, she rubbed her hands over the small bump on her stomach.

She would do anything, of course, to protect the baby, but she was already stir crazy lying in this bed.

She picked a bit more at the casserole, but then pushed the rest aside. She had already read all the magazines they had left in the house, and all her books had been packed away.

In two days, they'd be in the new house and she wouldn't be able to help with the move.

"I can't help with anything," Allison muttered angrily.

It didn't take long though for her anger to turn to tears as she thought about her grandparents. Allison grabbed a tissue from the bedside table and started to sob.

"Al?" Jon asked from the doorway where he stood with the three children. Adam help the dish of dessert.

"What's wrong, Mummy?" Caroline asked anxiously. "Is it the baby?"

Allison wiped furiously at her eyes. "No---I was just sitting here feeling sorry for myself."

"Al..." Jon felt bad for his wife.

Emma stepped over to the bed and looked at Allison's baby bump. "Listen, you!" Emma said pointing a finger at her belly. "You're making Mummy sad and you make her not be able to do stuff with us!"

"Emma," Jon said. "The baby can't hear you."

"It's not the baby's fault anyway," Allison said to her daughter. "Come here...

Emma eagerly climbed onto the bed.

Allison hugged Emma to her. "I miss doing stuff with you, too. I heard you lot downstairs and I just wished I could be down there with you having fun."

"You could just sit at the table," Emma suggested.

"Yeah," Adam agreed, handing the dessert dish to his father so he could climb on the bed too.

"Maybe soon," Allison said, putting her other arm around Adam.

Jon smiled reassuringly at his wife. "It was quite enlightening at dinner tonight. Apparently, Emma's engaged."

"What?" Allison asked. "I didn't hear about this!"

Emma rolled her eyes. "I'm not 'gaged, Daddy. I said I might marry Cole one day, but only if he does EVERYTHING I say."

Caroline giggled. "Including give you all his biscuits?"

Emma blushed and buried her face in Allison's shoulder.

"Daddy says to name the baby," Adam said. "I want Ashley."

Jon handed Allison the strawberry shortcake. "That might get confusing since we already know an Ashley," he told his son.

"I like it though," Adam insisted.

Caroline grabbed the baby name book from her mother's bedside table. "How about we look through this and see if we like anything?"

"I thought we packed that," Jon replied.

"I was looking through it earlier," Allison said.

"Think of anything?" Jon asked.

Allison shook her head.

"I like the name Cole," Emma said, blushing again.

"For a girl?" Caroline asked. "Emma---"

“Cola?” Emma suggested innocently, making them all laugh.

“Cola's a drink, Em.” Caroline shook her head.

Allison took a bite of her dessert. "This is really good, Caroline."

Caroline beamed at her mother. "I'm glad you like it, Mummy."

Jon thumbed through the book. "Well, we won't be needing the boy names..."

Adam made a face. "Mummy, have a boy, please?"

Allison laughed. "I'm sorry, Adam, but it's out of my hands now. You're going to have a little sister."

Adam shook his head. "Not another Em."

Caroline giggled. "I don't think our family could handle more than one Emma."

Emma frowned at them both. "I'm fun."

Alison put her arm around Emma. "Yes, you are and I think we'd be very lucky to have a little girl as sweet and fun as you."

Emma smiled in satisfaction. "See?" she said to her brother and sister.

Adam just shook his head.

Emma stuck her tongue out. "Let's just pick a name!"

Allison smiled. "Of course, Em. Can you read some to us?"

Emma happily took the book from her father and thumbed through it looking for just the right name. "Meg-an."

"That's cute," Allison said.

Emma grinned. "Don't pick too soon though. Let's see...Mabel?"

Caroline made a face. "Yuck, Em!"

Emma turned a page. "Olive?"

Caroline peered over her sister's shoulder. "That's not Olive, Em. That's Olivia."

"I like that," Jon replied.

"Olivia," Allison said.

"That's the one," Emma decided.

"Adam?" Allison asked. "What do you think?"

"Okay," Adam shrugged.

Allison laughed. "We need a middle name..."

"Emma," Emma said mischievously.

Jon tickled Emma's side. "One Emma is enough for this family."

Adam nodded. "One Em too many."

Emma frowned. "Shut it, Adam."

"Emma," Allison said. "That's not nice. And Adam, stop teasing your sister."

The family spent the next hour trying to pick out a middle name, but couldn't decide on anything. After Allison read them a story, the three children set off for bed. Jon came back into the bedroom after he'd tucked Adam in and sat down on the bed beside his wife. "Feeling better?" he asked.

Allison nodded. "I hate being left out of everything."

"I know," Jon said putting his arms around her.

"It was nice having you all up here," Allison told him.

Jon kissed the top of her head. "I was thinking tomorrow since it's our last night in the house, we'd all sleep in here...maybe watch a movie, have pizza."

Allison smiled. "I think the kids would enjoy that."

"I can't believe we're moving," Jon commented.

"I know," Allison said. "We've been in this house for so long."

"Had a lot of good times here," Jon said patting Allison's stomach.

"There's more fun to be had," Allison said. "Especially when I can be up and about again. I know Lizzy said the less movement on my part the better, but I can't stand this."

"When's your next appointment?" Jon asked.

"Next week," Allison said.

"We'll ask her how you're doing and see if you can get off of this bed rest," Jon said. "And see how little Olivia here is doing."

Allison nodded. "She said it's pretty likely I'll be on bed rest for most if not all of this pregnancy."

"Maybe not," Jon said squeezing her hand.

"There's a pretty good chance," Allison replied.

"If it's for the baby---" Jon started to say.

"I know," Allison interrupted. "I wouldn't do anything to jeopardise the health of our baby. But it doesn't mean I have to like it either."

Jon grinned. "What if I throw in extra foot massages?"

Allison looked over at him and smiled.

"I could even start now," Jon said.

"That would be wonderful," Allison replied. "Everything feels swollen right now.

Jon pulled back the covers and sat down at the end of the bed. He placed his wife's feet on his lap.

Allison studied him as he rubbed her feet. He had grown up so much from the time they'd gotten together. He was an amazing father to their children and she loved him so much.

Jon caught her eye and smiled at her. "What?"

"You're so good to me," Allison replied.

"I love you, Al," Jon said. "I'd do anything to make this easier for you."

"Thanks," she said softly. "You know... I've been thinking a lot about Hillsdale lately, when we first got together..."

"Oh yeah?" Jon asked, continuing to massage her foot.

"I just remember how exciting everything was," Allison continued. "When I woke up in the morning, I couldn't wait to get to breakfast to see you."

Jon grinned. "And I couldn't wait to see you at the lake..."

Allison laughed. "And when we would sneak away to snog..."

"The boathouse," Jon remembered.

"So many places," Allison remembered. "And then... just a little over a year later..."

"Married," Jon said. "And no one thought we'd make it. Too young, they all said."

"I knew I'd never stop loving you," Allison said.

"I felt the same," Jon said. "Being away from you like that nearly killed me."

"The beginning of that school term was awful," Allison said. "I was so depressed. I wanted to be with you all the time."

Jon smiled at her. "And then I had that crazy idea to elope."

"That was the best decision I ever made," Allison said.

"Me too," Jon said. "I know it hasn't always been easy and we've struggled with money..."

"But we're doing all right now," Allison said.

"We are," Jon agreed. "We worked really hard to get here."

"We've got lots of memories here," Allison said.

"Three of the best ones are in the rooms across the hall and next door," Jon said softly.

"Absolutely," she agreed.

Jon moved to sit closer to her and he kissed her.

Allison put her arms around his neck. "I love you."

"I love you too," Jon said holding her.

"So we have little Olivia in here." Allison said.

Jon nodded. "We do. And I bet she is happy to have all this alone time with you."

"We know it won't last," Allison said dryly.

"Adam was telling me that he liked it best during the day when it was just you and him," Jon said.

Allison smiled. "He loves playing in here."

"You're teaching him to play chess?" Jon asked.

"Trying," Allison replied.

"He told me you said you were the best player in our family," Jon said. "You know you've only beaten me twice..."

Allison laughed. "I've never said that."

"So you haven't been trash talking to our son?" Jon asked.

"Of course not," Allison denied.

"Uh-huh," Jon said.

Allison laughed as he squeezed her side gently.

"How about I get us some more of that strawberry shortcake?" Jon suggested.

"Sure," Allison nodded.

Jon gave her another kiss. "I'll be right back."

"Okay," Allison said watching him go. Things were about to change in their lives, but she knew it had to be for the better.

-->

311. Chapter 311 Jemima's Revenge

Authors' note: We hope you enjoy tonight's chapter! Please read and review!

It was after dinner one night in late February and Ashley and Katie were settling down to a table in the library. "I hate this," Katie complained.

Ashley smiled reassuringly at her sister. "History of Magic is actually a very interesting subject, Katie. And since this is the subject you're having the most trouble on, we'll just take it slow."

"I guess," Katie said unenthusiastically. "I just hate all the reading. Sometimes its easier and other times all the words are mixed up."

"Well, we'll use the same techniques you used with your tutor," Ashley said patiently.

"All right," Katie shrugged. "I have other things to do, so the sooner we get this done..."

"The sooner you can get back to being the new star of Slytherin," Ashley finished.

Katie grinned.

Ashley pulled out the study guide Katie's tutor had prepared. "Okay...back to work..."

Katie nodded, pulling her chair closer. "I wish this didn't happen to me," she complained. "I mean, no one else my age that I know has trouble reading."

"A lot of people have dyslexia," Ashley said. "And we're all proud of you for the hard work you've done to work through this."

"Thanks," Katie said, still reluctant. No one but her sister knew about her dyslexia and she wanted to keep it that way.

"Okay," Ashley said looking at her sister's textbook. "This is actually really interesting. Merlin's life was absolutely fascinating, Katie."

"Merlin?" Katie brightened.

"See?" Ashley nudged her. "Okay, we'll take this chapter paragraph by paragraph. I'll let you read over the first one and then we'll go from there."

"All right," Katie said, pulling the book over. Several of the words were big and she stumbled over them.

Because Katie's back was to the door, she didn't notice Jemima and Piper walking inside the library.

Ashley didn't notice them either. "That's good, Katie." she encouraged. "Just sound out the words you don't know."

"Merlin was part of the...court...of...King..." Katie read aloud. "King...Arthur."

"That's it," Ashley nodded. "Good, Katie!"

Jemima saw Katie sitting with her sister and narrowed her eyes. "That little bint should watch herself."

Piper followed her best friend's gaze. "We should so get back at her, Jem."

"Oh, I owe her one," Jemima said bitterly. "And I'll make sure she gets paid back."

Piper nodded. "At least your skin is finally back to normal."

Jemima touched her face and shuddered. "Come on," she ordered.

Piper dutifully followed her. Jemima crept behind a large bookshelf and listened to the two sisters.

"Sound it out," Ashley was saying to Katie.

Katie sighed. "Re... cap... recapture."

"Excellent," Ashley said grinning at her.

"This is such a pain," Katie said.

"It's not easy, but you're doing well," Ashley said. "In all of your classes. And Mum's going to talk to the professor to see if they could record the books for you."

"That would be nice," Katie admitted.

Ashley smiled. "Sometimes it's easier to read along when you hear it spoken out loud first. At least that's what your tutor always said."

Jemima smirked. "Malfoy can't read?"

Piper had not been paying attention and she looked over at Jemima. "What?"

Jemima rolled her eyes. "Malfoy. She can't read. That's why she's sitting in here with her sister."

"She can't read?" Piper asked in disbelief.

"Obviously," Jemima snapped.

"So what are we going to do?" Piper whispered.

"I'm not quite sure yet," Jemima said. "But for now... we keep this to ourselves."

"Okay," Piper said.

"She'll rue the day she crossed me," Jemima said, a nasty grin on her face.

Piper grinned back at her friend. "Jemima, that sent chills down my spine!"

Jemima curled her lip up. "Come on," she said shortly.

Ashley and Katie finished reading over the chapter and Ashley helped Katie with the study guide questions. Katie happily put her quill and parchment away. "Thank you so much, Ashley."

Ashley nodded. "Any time you want help, just let me know, Katie."

Katie smiled. "I will."

"I finished my homework earlier," Ashley said. "James wrote to me, I just got his letter at lunch."

Katie grinned. "James...."

Ashley smiled too. "He's really cool."

"And hot," Katie said.

Ashley blushed. "He's pretty gorgeous, isn't he?"

Katie nodded enthusiastically. "And from what Brit says completely crazy about you."

"We aren't going out," Ashley said quickly.

"Why?" Katie asked. "Because of the distance thing?"

"Mum and Dad said I'm too young," Ashley explained.

Katie rolled her eyes. "Ash, we don't always have to do EVERYTHING they tell us."

"But--" Ashley began

"You're a teenager," Katie said as if she were the voice of experience. "Act like it. Rebel. What they don't know, can't hurt them. Besides, you can just go out on group dates with Brit and Evan and James."

Ashley shrugged. "I suppose you have a point."

"They can't object to you going out with friends," Katie continued. "Besides, they don't really have room to talk about sneaking around, do they? It's what they did when they were younger."

Ashley had to laugh. "You've got me there. I mean... they did let me and Zander have that date last summer hols, even if they were there too. I don't think they'd mind a group thing..."

"Of course not," Katie said.

"Maybe I'll mention that when I write back to James," Ashley said.

Katie grinned. "Let me know what he says."

"I will," Ashley promised. "I do like him."

"I can tell," Katie said. She never in a million years thought she and Ashley would be close like this---actually talking about boys.

"You know, he's never once asked me about Dad," Ashley confided. "I mean, I've told him things, of course, but he's never brought it up. And he doesn't bug me about Grandma and Grandpa either."

That didn't bother Katie as much as it did Ashley. Katie liked that people seemed to respect her because of whom her parents and grandparents were. "That's important to you," Katie said thoughtfully.

"I want to be known for me," Ashley stressed. "I don't mind talking about Dad, or Grandma or Grandpa... but I don't want that to be the reason people befriend me."

"Which is why you're friends with Brittany and Zander," Katie said.

"Yes," Ashley replied. "There are others too, but those two are my best friends. Well, just Brit these days. I haven't really had much to say to Zander."

"Still mad?" Katie asked.

Ashley shrugged. "A bit... and just disappointed."

"Well, he's not my most favourite person," Katie said. "But he seems to be suffering, too. I mean, he was humiliated by all this, Ash."

"That's true," Ashley said thoughtfully.

Katie laughed. "Ugh. Hanging out with you Gryffindors makes me more sensitive. I need to stop that."

Ashley poked her sister. "You are too much, little Slytherin."

Katie giggled and gathered up her books. "I'll see you tomorrow at breakfast. Thanks again."

"No problem," Ashley said. "Enjoy the rest of your night."

"You too," Katie said. She hurried upstairs to the Slytherin dorms. She wanted to see if her new magazine had arrived.

Lindsey was up in their dormitory sitting on her bed. "Where were you?" she asked.

"Studying in the library," Katie replied.

"Fun," Lindsey said dryly. "Did you finish your Charms essay?"

Katie nodded. "How about you?"

"Yeah, just about ten minutes ago," Lindsey said. "Want to go down to the Common Room?"

"Sure," Katie said picking up her new fashion magazine. "We can pick out our favourite outfits."

"Cool," Lindsey said happily.

"I'm hoping I can convince my mum to take me back to Paris this summer," Katie told her.

"You're so lucky," Lindsey said. "I've never been."

"It's fabulous," Katie boasted.

"I bet it's so romantic," Lindsey said as they sat down near the fire.

Katie nodded. "Maybe you can come with us."

Lindsey stared at her. "Really?"

Katie gave her the once-over. "You've kind of made up for your earlier behaviour. If things go okay the rest of the year, I'll ask my mother."

Lindsey looked awed.

Katie opened her magazine. "Let's see if we can find something that would look fantastic on me."

"Okay," Lindsey agreed eagerly. "I like yellow."

"It kind of washes me out, but it would look great on you," Katie said.

"You think so?" Lindsey asked.

"You think so?" a voice behind them mocked.

Katie turned around and sighed. "Jemima."

"Little Katherine," Jemima said. "What are you reading?"

"The latest edition of Dazzle," Katie said holding up the magazine. "I'm planning on what I'll buy when I go to Paris this summer."

"Something drab and boring, I'm so sure," Piper replied.

Katie smiled sweetly at her. "Drab and boring...that would be you and Jemima."

"Don't you talk to us that way," Piper said indignantly. "You little first year."

Jemima laughed and held her hand up. "Don't worry about it, Piper. Little Katherine's just showing her...spunk, is all. Katherine, I was wondering if you'd read aloud for us the fashion do's and don'ts. I haven't received my copy of the magazine and I would love to hear what the latest trends are. In fact," She paused, looking around the common room. "Why don't all the girls gather around and we can listen to Katherine! Come around everyone!"

Katie stared at the older girl. "I don't want to. Linds and I are busy."

"Oh, come on," Jemima said. "We're all dying to hear you...read."

"Go away," Katie waved her off.

Piper folded her arms and looked conspiratorially at Jemima. "Is there a reason why you don't want to share it with us, Katherine?"

"Go get your own copy," Katie replied, tossing her hair.

"Or maybe I have better things to read," Jemima said gleefully, reaching into her pocket and pulling out a piece of parchment. "I found this little letter that you dropped from your bag. We don't have a lot of time so I'll just read it aloud for everyone, shall I?"

Katie was confused. "What letter?"

"Dear Katie," Jemima read aloud. "I am so proud of you and all the hard work you've done with your reading. You have a come a long way and with hard work and determination, you will find a way to cope with your dyslexia."

Katie paled. Jemima had found the letter that her tutor, Maya, had written to her.

"Isn't that adorable," Jemima said sweetly. "Little Katherine here can't read."

"Give me back my letter!" Katie exclaimed, standing up. She could feel everyone's eyes on her.

"Read it and we'll give it to you," Piper said, laughing.

Katie glared at her. "I can read, you half-wit!"

Jemima laughed too. "Is that why your sister has to help you?"

Katie felt tears welling up in her eyes, but she would be damned if she'd let them fall in front of Jemima and Piper.

"Are you going to cry?" Jemima mocked.

Katie glared at her. Lindsey put a hand on her friend's shoulder. "She's not worth it, Katie."

Erin came up on her other side. "She's so jealous of you, Katie. Having dyslexia isn't the worst thing in the world."

Tristan nodded. "I heard Albert Einstein had it and he's like the smartest bloke in the whole world."

"Really?" Katie managed.

Erin nodded. "Pablo Picasso and Leonardo da Vinci, too. So, I think Katie's in great company."

"But she can't read!" Jemima exclaimed.

"I can too!" Katie retorted. "It's just a little harder for me than it is for everyone else."

Sebastian smirked. "Whatever.... I'm bored already with this."

Jemima looked around at the room. To her utter disbelief, everyone was glaring at her. They were supposed to laughing at Katie Malfoy!

"It's really nasty to make fun of someone for something they can't control," Erin said. "Even if you are a Slytherin. We're supposed to stick together."

Jemima groaned in frustration. "You---you people have no idea what it means to be a Slytherin!"

"We're the only house that no one else likes," Tristan said. "And all the prejudices... a lot of them are just stupid. Why shouldn't we stick together?"

Katie felt buoyed by her fellow Slytherins' support. For the first time, she didn't feel ashamed about her dyslexia.

"You should just leave her alone, Jemima," Erin said. "Unless you'd like to borrow her face cream again..."

Jemima shot Erin what could only be described as a death glare before she ran out of the common room.

"You're all a bunch of losers," Piper said angrily.

"Go away, little lamb," Erin said waving her hand at Piper.

"You suck," Piper said before running after Jemima.

Katie picked up her discarded letter. "Thanks, everyone."

"Don't worry about it, Malfoy," Sebastian said. "No one really cares."

Katie smiled. "Thanks, Seb."

Erin patted her shoulder. "It's cool, Katie."

"Jem's just jealous," Tristan said. "Don't worry about her. I think she's learned her lesson."

"Not likely, but she'll probably leave me alone for awhile," Katie shrugged.

"I'll keep an eye on her," Erin promised.

"Come on," Lindsey said. "Let's get back to looking at all the Paris fashions."

Katie smiled. "Absolutely."

Meanwhile Ashley had arrived back at the Gryffindor common room and saw her friends sitting by the fire. Her sister's words about Zander echoed in her head.

Ashley walked over to them and sat down beside Brittany.

"Hey Ash," Brittany smiled at her. "Where've you been?"

"Studying in the library with Katie," Ashley replied.

Zander knew that Ashley probably did not want him around and he quietly began gathering his books.

"Zander," Ashley said. "Stay..."

He looked up at her in surprise. "What?"

"You don't have to leave." she said softly.

"Well, it's about time," Brittany muttered under her breath.

"Shut it," Zander said to his cousin.

Brittany nudged him. "You shut it."

"I just don't want to fight anymore," Ashley said. "Being angry at each other is stupid."

Zander nodded. "Life's too short."

"What Celia did was wrong," Ashley said. "But she got hers..."

"But, I shouldn't have believed her over you," Zander said quietly. "That was stupid."

Ashley shrugged. "You liked her, and didn't think she'd lie to you."

"I'm still sorry about it," Zander said. "And I'm just glad that we're still friends."

"Me too," Ashley smiled at him.

"My long nightmare is over," Brittany said in relief. "All this stress and tension was making me break out."

"Oh please," Zander rolled his eyes.

"It was!" Brittany argued. "Stress and tension are horrors for your skin. Especially delicate skin like mine."

"Delicate my arse," Zander said. "If you're delicate I'm--"

"A wanker?" Brittany interjected.

"Very funny," Zander rolled his eyes.

"On a serious note, I was wondering if you two would like to go to my Aunt Saffy's wedding," Ashley asked.

Brittany's jaw dropped. "ARE YOU SERIOUS?" she shrieked, startling everyone in the common room.

Zander rolled his eyes. "I think Saffy heard you RSVP in London."

"Of COURSE I want to go!" Brittany exclaimed, ignoring him. "It's only THE wedding of the CENTURY!"

Ashley reached into her bag and handed Brittany and Zander the invitations Saffron had owled over earlier in the day. "Here you go."

Brittany squealed again, even louder this time.

"So, what about you, Zander?" Ashley asked. "You'll go?"

"I'll ask my parents," Zander said. "But yeah... I'd like to go."

Ashley smiled. "Great."

Zander was glad that Ashley was talking to him again, but he wondered about her change of heart.

Brittany hugged the invitation to her. "I have to go shopping!"

Ashley grinned. "We can go when we're done with school, if you want. My aunt said dresses or robes. Everyone invited who is a Muggle is a close enough relative that they know about the wizarding world."

Brittany smiled. "I'm going to go and get my magazines right now! Don't move a muscle!"

Ashley laughed. "I won't even breathe."

Zander was grateful to have a moment alone with Ashley. Part of him wanted to ask about the change in her feelings toward him, but the other part didn't want to ruin the tentative truce.

Ashley sat back in the chair and looked over at him. "So... what's been going on with you? I feel like it's been ages..."

"It has," Zander agreed. He looked over at her. "I--I've been practising and trying to get back in the team's good graces."

Ashley nodded. "I imagine that can't be easy."

"No, but I'm lucky they didn't chuck me from the team after what I did," Zander said.

"Part of it wasn't your fault," Ashley said. "I mean... you didn't know Celia was just using you..."

Zander nodded. He didn't want to talk about Celia. "So, how have you been?"

"I've been drawing a lot," Ashley chose not to mention how often she and James had been corresponding.

"Yeah?" Zander asked. "I've been composing some new pieces, too."

"You have?" Ashley asked interestedly.

Zander nodded. "Headmaster Wood's letting me use the piano in one of the empty classrooms."

"Wow..." Ashley said. "That's so cool!"

"Yeah," Zander agreed. He was going to say something else when Brittany flittered back inside the common room carrying a stack of magazines. "Brit the wedding's weeks away."

"And it's never too early to get started on an outfit!" Brittany retorted playfully.

"Thankfully, I'll have my dress already picked out since I'm a bridesmaid," Ashley said. "Aunt Saffy sent me a photograph."

Brittany grinned. "What colour?"

"Light pink," Ashley answered. "They're so, so pretty."

"Pink always looks beautiful on you," Brittany commented.

"Thanks Brit," Ashley replied.

"And you," Brittany said to Zander. "You're going to have to wear a suit."

"I can do that for a night," Zander shrugged.

"I'll believe that when I see it," Brittany said.

Zander shook his head. "I'm going to put my stuff upstairs."

Brittany giggled. "Bye cousin."

"You're not getting rid of me," Zander said. "I'll be back."

Brittany waited until Zander had gone before she asked what she'd been dying to know. "So, what gives?"

"What?" Ashley asked.

"You and your change of heart," Brittany said.

Ashley shrugged. "I'm not really mad... it's not worth the effort."

Brittany smiled. "I'm really glad. Now, maybe things can get back to normal."

"Whatever that is," Ashley teased dryly.

"Normal is kind of overrated," Brittany agreed nudging her.

"Always has been," Ashley joked.

"You two should be ashamed at what you put me through," Brittany told her.

"You hardly did a thing," Evan nudged her.

"Please," Brittany said rolling her eyes. "I was stuck in the middle. Being pulled in two different directions..."

"We weren't fighting THAT much," Ashley replied. "I just... I was upset and didn't want to talk to him for awhile."

Evan laughed. "Ash, you know this all has to revolve around to Brit."

"Would we love her this much if she weren't the way she is?" Ashley joked.

"Hello?" Brittany asked. "I'm right here."

"We know," Evan and Ashley said together.

Brittany hit her boyfriend with the magazine. "You're both lucky I like you."

Evan put his arm around Brittany and gave her a kiss on the cheek. "I bet you'll look great in whatever you wear to the wedding."

Brittany beamed at him. "Good answer, Evan."

Evan grinned as Zander rejoined them with his writing materials in hand.

Zander took his seat beside Ashley.

"Are you writing something now?" Ashley asked him interestedly.

Zander nodded. "I've been tinkering with something."

"Can I see it?" Ashley knew how to read music.

Zander handed her his notebook.

Ashley opened the page and read the notes, hearing them in her head. "This sounds like it's beautiful," she said.

"You think?" Zander asked.

Ashley nodded. "You are so talented, Zander."

"Thanks, Ash," Zander said sincerely. "I'll play it for you sometime."

"Cool," Ashley replied. "I'll show you my new artwork at breakfast tomorrow."

Zander could not put into words how great it felt to have his friend back. He knew they could not go back to the way things were, but as long as he had her as a friend, that was all he needed.

"Ash!" Brittany interrupted his thoughts. "What about a dress like this one?"

Ashley looked at the magazine. "That blue would look great on you," she replied.

"Goes with my eyes," Brittany tossed her hair back.

Ashley felt a sense of calmness wash over her. This was just how she liked things. There was no more tension between the three of them and she felt for the first time that maybe they could get back the friendship they had before. And to think, she owed it all to her little sister. Who would have thought Katie would be so wise in regards to friendship?

"What are you grinning about?" Brittany asked. "Ooooh, you said you'd let me read James's last letter!"

Evan stood up. "Come on, Zander. We can play chess while these two do that."

"Sure," Zander replied. "I haven't played in awhile."

Ashley handed Brittany her letter.

Brittany eagerly scanned it. "Oh Merlin!" she said. "He really, really, REALLY fancies you Ash!"

Ashley blushed and then told her friend Katie's idea about 'dating' James. "I've never defied my parents before like that. I know it's not really lying to them..."

"Well this summer we'll do that," Brittany said. "A group date. Maybe we can even find a poor soul for Zander."

"That could be fun," Ashley said. "I don't know if we'll be going to Brighton or not this summer. Mum hasn't said. Things have been so crazy with the wedding plans."

"Either way," Brittany promised. "And... when we're all on our group date... I wonder what could happen if we all sort of split off..."

Ashley smiled at the thought of spending time alone with James.

"Now you're excited," Brittany teased.

Ashley giggled. "Maybe a little."

"Or maybe a lot," Brittany nudged her. "This summer is going to be so, so fun!"

Ashley smiled and looked over to where Zander and Evan were sitting. She hoped that it would be a great summer---for all of them.

*** *** ***

Despite her telling Gabriel how she felt about them not spending any time together, Alexa found that things were still a bit tense between them. He had cleared up some time in his schedule, but it wasn't the same as it had been before.

Alexa had spent every weekend for the last month going back home to London. She found herself counting the days until the weekends when she could go back to the one place she felt like she truly belonged.

Luckily, the planning for Saffron's wedding gave her an excuse to go home all the time. She hadn't even told her parents she was home so much- the guest room at Andrew and Saffron's home had become pretty much hers.

And, Alexa had to admit, that Ellie played a huge part in coming home as well. Alexa loved watching the baby and making her smile.

"Earth to Lexie," a voice startled her.

Alexa turned. "Oh, sorry. I zoned out for a moment."

RJ grinned at her. "No problem. Jet lag, right?" he teased.

Alexa laughed. "Exactly. But, I'm glad you're here. You can help me make these biscuits."

"Well we also have to figure out the stag party and hen night," RJ reminded her.

"You know Saffy will kill you if you take him to the Veela Snatch," Alexa said pouring some chocolate chips into a bowl. She was making biscuits as a thank you for letting her stay.

RJ made a face. "Aud would also kill me if I went there." he replied. "Saffron told her all about it."

Alexa laughed. "Well, then Saf has nothing to worry about then."

RJ shook his head. "What do you think you lot will do? At some point we should probably meet up."

Alexa thought for a moment. "We haven't settled on one idea."

"If you need help planning anything let me know." RJ said. "We do still have some time."

RJ reached for a handful of chocolate chips and Alexa swatted at his hand. "Hey!"

"What?" he asked. "Come on Lexie... I'm starving."

"If you would just be patient and wait until the biscuits are baked," Alexa said moving the bowl away from him.

"That long?" he whined.

"You can't wait thirty minutes?" Alexa asked him.

"I guess," RJ replied as she used her wand to drop the dough on the sheets.

Alexa and RJ heard voices coming from the sitting room and smiled. Saffron, Andrew and Ellie were home.

"We're in here, Mum and Dad!" RJ called out cheekily.

"Honestly," Saffron said as she came into the kitchen. "Do you live here now, RJ?"

"Our stray dog," Andrew said clapping his best mate on the back.

Saffron laughed and cuddled Ellie to her.

"Lexie, what are you doing?" Saffron asked.

"Baking," Alexa said. "It... calms me."

Saffron smiled. "Like mother, like daughter."

Alexa smiled. "How's my beautiful goddaughter?"

"Perfect," Andrew replied.

"Of course she is," Alexa slid the sheet of biscuits into the oven. "She's Saffron's daughter."

"But, we don't hold that against her," RJ said.

Saffron punched him in the arm. "Very funny."

"You want anything to drink?" Andrew asked RJ.

"Sure," RJ replied rubbing his arm. "That's great, Saf. Hit me on my good arm."

"Big baby," Saffron said dismissively.

"Explain that to the coach," RJ said as Andrew handed him a butterbeer.

"He loves me," Saffron said.

"Unfortunately," RJ grumbled.

Saffron handed Ellie to an eager Alexa. "She wants to see her Aunt Lexie."

Alexa happily took her. "Hello gorgeous..." She kissed the baby's cheek.

Ellie cooed up at Alexa. RJ walked over and stood behind her making a goofy face at the baby.

Ellie laughed and pointed at RJ.

"He's funny, isn't he, El?" Alexa asked.

"She loves me," RJ said smugly.

"Despite all the things I've told her," Saffron said dryly.

"You can't deny the truth," RJ replied before following Andrew into the sitting room.

"So," Saffron said to her friend when they were alone. "How are things at school?"

Alexa shrugged. "About the same."

"Want to talk about it?" Saffron asked.

"I don't know what good talking is going to do," Alexa said. "I just... don't feel satisfied anymore."

"Think you'll go back after this semester?" Saffron asked.

"I don't know," Alexa replied.

"Well," Saffron said. "Whatever you decide, I'm behind you. You know that. Especially when you bake me biscuits. "

Alexa smiled. "And I thought you were trying to watch your figure."

"I'm only going to eat a couple," Saffron vowed.

"Yeah right," Alexa joked.

Saffron grinned. "Well, you can go jogging with me afterwards."

"I knew I'd regret it." Alexa said, bouncing Ellie gently in her arms.

"Exercise is a good stress reliever," Saffron said.

"That's true," Alexa replied. "We can always take this one for a walk."

"Unless you and RJ have plans," Saffron teased.

"No," Alexa replied. "But Saffy..." she lowered her voice. "He's so easy to talk to, you know?"

Saffron looked at Alexa. "RJ? He's about as deep as a baby pool, Lex."

"Well I don't really expect you to understand," Alexa told her. "But for me... he and I have shared so much. And we've both grown up so much since we were together. But he's really helped me these past few months."

"I was only kidding," Saffron said. "I've seen how close you two have gotten."

"I think Gabe's jealous of that," Alexa said. "Even though he has no reason to be. I don't want RJ back. I think he and Audrey are lovely together."

"They are," Saffron agreed.

"I just hope Gabe and I can make things work out," Alexa said. "I do love him."

"Well, has he made any changes to his schedule?" Saffron asked.

"Yes, a few." Alexa said. "But it still feels different."

"Well, maybe a break is just what the two of you need to figure things out," Saffron said thoughtfully.

Alexa shrugged. "I don't want to lose him."

"You won't," Saffron reassured her.

"I hope not," Alexa said, passing Ellie back to Saffron.

Saffron kissed her daughter's soft cheek. "My baby girl."

"She's so beautiful," Alexa looked down at the baby. "I think she's such a nice mix of you and Andrew."

Saffron smiled. "I think so, too."

"My biscuits are done," Alexa hurried to the oven. "RJ!"

RJ practically ran into the kitchen. "Yes?"

"They’re done," Alexa told him.

RJ grinned. "Fantastic!"

"I'll let you take first pick." Alexa said. "Just leave a few for everyone else."

RJ rubbed his hands together. "Lexie, you are amazing, you know that?"

"Only the best for you." Alexa told him.

RJ gave her a peck on the cheek.

Saffron raised her eyebrow but didn't say anything.

Ellie started to cry.

"I think it's time for her kip," Saffron said. "Be right back."

"She's had a big day," Andrew said.

"Busy day," Saffron agreed.

"Oh yeah," RJ said. "The big photo shoot!"

"Photo shoot?" Alexa asked.

"The first photographs of the Potter-Kirke baby," RJ said. "Which will be seen exclusively in the Quibbler, thank you very much."

"Oh right!" Alexa said. "I forgot about that! How did it go?"

"Great," Andrew replied. He looked at RJ. "Your mum was there."

"I should drop by," RJ said. "Haven’t seen them in awhile."

"Bad son," Andrew joked.

"I'm busy," RJ grabbed another biscuit.

"I'm going to make a second batch," Alexa said. "We can bring them over some biscuits."

"Fantastic," RJ said with his mouth full.

Alexa smiled. "I'd love to see them. It's been ages."

"Come on by then," RJ said. "You know they'd love to see you too."

"Why don't I finish this batch and we bring it over to them?" Alexa suggested. "Unless you have something to do with Audrey?"

RJ shook his head. "No, she's with her study group."

"Okay," Alexa replied, waving her wand over the dough.

"Ron will be very pleased," Andrew said, taking a biscuit from the plate. "Mmm...these are good, Lex."

Alexa smiled. "I've grown up baking."

RJ nudged her. " I remember seeing the pictures of you as a two-year old wearing that apron. You were so cute."

"My mother showed those to Gabe, too." Alexa groaned. "I was so embarrassed."

"You shouldn't be," RJ said. "You were cute. Still are." He tugged playfully on the strings of her apron.

"Still such a charmer." Alexa shook her head.

RJ grinned. "That's me."

"Okay," Saffron came back in. "She's out like a light."

"Biscuit?" Alexa asked holding the plate out to her.

"Just one," Saffron replied.

"You're not going to be able to eat just one," RJ teased.

"Tell me about it," Saffron made a face.

Andrew put his arm around her. "We'll work it off later."

RJ covered his ears. "I don't need to know about that."

Saffron glared at him. "Shut it, RJ."

"How do you think they got Ellie?" Alexa joked.

"The stork?" RJ asked. "And before you tell me differently, stop right there. I don't need to know about it."

Andrew, Saffron and Alexa all rolled their eyes.

Saffron thankfully changed the subject of conversation and started telling them more about the big photo shoot. "She was a complete natural. She loved being in front of the camera."

"Wow, just like her mother," RJ quipped.

Saffron stuck her tongue out at him. "You're so funny."

"And mature," Andrew put his arms around his fiancée.

"How are Jon and Allie and the kids doing at their new home?" Alexa asked.

"They love it," RJ replied.

"And how's Allie?" Alexa asked. "Any better?"

"She hates being confined to bed," RJ answered. "But when she gets up and tries to move around, it hurts her."

Saffron shook her head. "I know she hates that. Allie's so active."

"That and the kids don't really understand what's going on," RJ said. "Caroline does, but Emma and Adam have no idea."

"You should do something nice for them," Saffron suggested. "Uncle RJ."

"I went over there the other day and helped them move stuff in," RJ told her.

"I'm sure they appreciated that," Alexa said smiling at him.

"That was nice," Saffron admitted.

"What was that?" RJ asked. "Did you just compliment me?"

"Don't let it go to your head," Saffron warned him.

"No worries," RJ said.

"We should stop over there with Ellie." Saffron said.

"They'd love that," RJ said. "Especially the kids."

"Perhaps Tuesday," Saffron nodded. "I'll owl them and see if they're free."

"We can bring them dinner," Andrew suggested.

"Great idea," Saffron replied.

About a half an hour later, Alexa and RJ set off for his parents' house. Ron grinned when he opened the door. "This is a nice surprise!"

"Hi Dad," RJ grinned. "Remember me?"

Ron pretended to think. "Vaguely..."

"Hi Mr. Weasley," Alexa said with a grin. "I've brought you some biscuits."

Ron grinned back at her. "That's very sweet of you. Come on inside."

"Alexa!" Luna exclaimed when she saw her son's ex girlfriend.

"Hi, Mrs. Weasley!" Alexa replied, giving the older woman a hug.

"It's lovely to see you," Luna said. "And who is this you brought with you?"

"Very funny," RJ said hugging his mother. "It's me...your favourite son."

"Jon's here?" Luna teased.

RJ frowned. "Mum."

"I'm just kidding," Luna said. "You know I love it when you stop by."

"Lex is home for the weekend and she wanted to bring some biscuits to you guys," RJ said. "Chocolate chip."

"I'll take that," Ron reached for the plate.

"How are things at school?" Luna asked Alexa.

"All right," Alexa replied. "I don't like it there as much as I thought."

"Oh," Luna said. "I'm sorry to hear that."

"It's all right" Alexa said. "I just miss it here."

Luna put an arm around her. "It's hard to be away from home. I missed my father so much when I went away to Hogwarts."

"Hogwarts always felt like home to me," Alexa said. "UCLA never really has."

"She's been coming home a lot," RJ said. "Staying with Andrew and Saf."

"I'm sure they're enjoying your company," Luna said.

"I hope so," Alexa said. "And she was telling us all about the photo shoot today."

"Ellie's such a lovely baby," Luna said. "Very photogenic."

Ron said something, but no one could understand him since his mouth was full.

"Nice, Dad." RJ said.

"How about I make us all some tea?" Luna suggested.

"I'll take a butterbeer," Ron said, stuffing another biscuit in his mouth.

"Coming right up," Luna said.

"I'll help you Mrs. Weasley," Alexa offered.

Luna smiled. "That'd be very nice."

"I've missed being around here," Alexa said. "This place always felt like home to me when RJ and I were together."

Luna put the kettle on. "You're welcome here anytime."

"Thanks," Alexa replied.

"Have you talked to your parents?" Luna asked. "Told them how you felt?"

"Not yet," Alexa replied. "I'm going to hold out the rest of this year."

"You just have a couple of months left, right?" Luna asked.

Alexa nodded. "I can make it."

"I know you can," Luna said. "You're a strong girl."

Alexa smiled gratefully. "Thanks. I needed to hear that."

"And I'm sure that Saffy loves having you around," Luna said. "To help with the wedding and with Ellie."

"I love being around with Ellie there," Alexa replied. "She's such a good baby. I wish I could be here ALL the time."

Luna smiled. "You have to do what makes you happy."

"I know," Alexa replied as the two of them made tea and got a few bottles of butterbeer.

"How are things at the paper?" Alexa asked conversationally.

"Very well," Luna nodded. "Perhaps this summer you can come by and check things out. I know you're interested in journalism."

"Really?" Alexa asked.

"Sure," Luna said. "Come see how the paper works."

"Thank you so much, Mrs. Weasley!" Alexa said gratefully.

"Of course, love." Luna smiled at the younger girl. "Like I said, we enjoy having you around."

Alexa and Luna walked back into the kitchen where Ron and RJ were happily eating biscuits and talking about Quidditch.

"Once Saf is back, we'll be unstoppable," RJ said to his father.

"Absolutely," Ron agreed. "She'll be even better than she was before. Mark my words."

"I won't tell her you just complimented her," Alexa teased RJ.

"You'd better not," RJ said as she sat down beside him.

Alexa spent the next hour and a half with the Weasleys before returning back to Andrew and Saffron's place.

"You sure are happy," Saffron commented. "Good time at the Weasleys?"

"Yeah," Alexa said. "I love being at their house."

Saffron looked at her friend with concern. She was worried that despite what Alexa said, RJ played a big part in the reason she came home every weekend. She did not question her friend, though. If Alexa wanted to talk about it, she would.

Alexa looked over at her friend. "I'm feeling better than I have in awhile. Once I finish school, I'll figure things out from there."

Saffron nodded. "That sounds like a plan."

Andrew carried Ellie inside. He had just finished giving her a bath. "Here she is all clean and shiny."

Alexa grinned at the baby. "Look at that face."

"I know," Saffron said softly.

"You're so lucky, Saffy." Alexa said.

Saffron nodded and looked at her friend. "You'll figure things out too, Lex."

"I know," Alexa nodded.

"And we'll have fun tomorrow," Saffron promised.

"Loads of fun," Alexa said with a grin.

312. Chapter 312 Taking a Risk...

Authors' note: We hope you enjoy this chapter. Please read and review!

Over the last few weeks, Neville had gone over the pros and cons of his parents' case. He knew the research backwards and forwards and he knew the risks involved. Despite all that could possibly go wrong, he had come to a decision to allow the healer to try the counter spell on his parents.

The possibility of having them back... he couldn't resist it. He missed his parents so much sometimes it was a hollow ache inside.

He and his family were gathering together at the hospital to spend one last day with them before---well, just in case, something bad happened.

It meant more to him than words could say to see his wife and daughters and their families there. Even Allison managed to be there in her condition.

Emma walked over to where Frank was sitting by himself. "Hi!"

"Em," Jon said. "Don't bother your great grandfather. Not yet."

Emma looked at her father. "Daddy, Grandpa Frank loves me!"

"He sure does," Jon agreed. He looked at Neville's father, who stared back at him blankly.

"I can read to you," Emma said sitting down beside Frank. "This one is Adam's favourite!"

Frank looked at Emma for a moment before smiling.

Emma beamed at him. "And it has loads of pictures, too."

Jon was relieved to see Frank allow Emma to sit next to him with the large book in her hands.

"Once upon a time," Emma began.

Jon backed away as Emma continued to recite the story she knew so well.

Neville sat down and looked over at his mother who was sitting with Chiaki and Frankie. Sukie and Mas were playing together in the corner.

Frankie smiled at her grandmother. "You look so pretty today."

Alice looked over at Frankie.

"Dad looks just like you," Frankie said to her.

Alice smiled and looked over at Neville.

"Hi Mum," Neville said. "Having a good day?"

Alice reached for his hand. "Mmmm."

Neville squeezed his mother's fingers. "I can't wait for this."

"I should style her hair for tomorrow," Chiaki said. "I think she'd like that."

"I'm sure she would," Neville nodded.

Chiaki grabbed her bag. "Come on, Gran. Let's make you even more gorgeous than you already are."

Alice looked up at her, confusion in her eyes.

"It'll be grand," Chiaki promised.

Alice looked at Neville before standing up;

Chiaki led her into the bathroom. "Tomorrow, you're going to get your life back, Gran."

Alice just looked over at her.

Chiaki picked up her hairbrush and combed it through Alice's hair.

"I really hope this works," Chiaki said. "I've always wanted to get to know you and Grandpa."

Alice started to hum a little tune.

Chiaki smiled. Her grandmother was obviously happy.

"I saw photographs of you from your wedding day," Chiaki said as she brushed Alice's hair. "You looked so beautiful. And Grandpa Frank was so handsome."

Alice smiled and continued to hum.

"Frankie and Allie were named after you and Grandpa," Chiaki continued. "You know that, of course."

Alice grinned at her.

"When you're all better, we'll show you all of the photo albums and tell you all the stories," Chiaki said.

Alice began humming again and twisted a gum wrapper between her fingers.

"And Dad's missed you both so much," Chiaki continued. "You'd be so proud of him. "

Alice stopped humming and looked up at her intently.

"What is it, Gran?" Chiaki asked softly.

Alice continued to look at her, and then began humming again.

Sukie came into the bathroom and watched her mother.

"Baby," Alice whispered.

Chiaki turned and saw her daughter. "Hello my love."

Sukie waved. "Hi, Mummy."

Chiaki grinned. "What are you up to?"

"Playing," Sukie said shyly.

"Sukie," Chiaki said. "Would you like to say hello to your great grandmother?"

Sukie nodded and stepped into the bathroom. "Hi."

Alice looked at the little girl and smiled.

Sukie moved to climb onto Alice's lap, but Chiaki held out her hand. "Don't startle her, love."

Alice made a noise in her throat and looked up at Chiaki.

"It's okay, Gran," Chiaki reassured her. "This is my little girl, Sukie."

Alice looked down, a slightly confused expression on her face.

Chiaki patted her shoulder. "It's fine, Gran."

Sukie leaned on Alice's legs. "Hi."

Chiaki smiled at her little girl. She was glad that Alice seemed okay with Sukie.

"There we are," Chiaki said. "You look beautiful, Gran."

"She does," Sukie agreed.

Alice reached forward and touched Sukie's silky black hair.

"I have hair like my mummy's," Sukie told her.

Alice began humming again.

Chiaki started putting her combs and brushes away in her bag. She was so happy that her father had decided to go through with this counter spell. She would finally have her grandparents back---as they should have been all along.

"Come on," she said. "We should go back and join everyone else."

In the other room, Allison was making a move to get up, but Jon put his hand out. "I can get Adam, Al. You stay seated."

Allison glared at her husband. "I can pick him up, Jon."

"I didn't say you couldn't," Jon said. "But, you know what Lizzy said.."

"Yes, I KNOW what Lizzy said," Allison replied testily.

Jon set Adam in Allison's lap. "Maybe he can put you in a better mood."

Adam grinned at his mother. "Hi."

"Hi, buddy," Allison said, unable to resist smiling back at him. "Are you and Mas having fun?"

Adam nodded. "Even Sukie."

Allison knew she should be in a better mood. She was acting selfishly, but she honestly could not help it. She was angry that her family had decided to wait to tell her about this until it had pretty much been decided. She was pregnant, not an invalid.

"Mummy," Emma said as she came over. "I'm hungry."

Allison nodded. "I have some crisps in my bag.."

"Don't eat them all," Adam said.

"I can," Emma said with a mischievous grin.

"Not mine too," Adam protested.

"Share," Allison told Emma.

"Okay," Emma agreed reluctantly.

On the other side of the room, Hannah was sitting with Frankie. Will had stayed home with the twins. "Are you excited, Mummy?" Hannah asked.

"Of course I am," Frankie said. "To finally meet my grandparents properly?"

"They've been like this forever?" Hannah asked.

"For a very long time now," Frankie nodded.

"It's so sad," Hannah commented.

"Well hopefully now that will change," Frankie said. "How are you doing? No one's bothering you at school anymore, right?"

Hannah shrugged. "Not as bad as before..."

"They're still teasing you?" Frankie asked. This was news to her. Hannah told her they had stopped bothering her weeks ago.

"Not as much," Hannah said. "Just every now and then..."

Frankie shook her head. "What is WRONG with those kids?"

"Don't say anything, Mummy," Hannah pleaded.

"Hannah I have to," Frankie said. "This is unacceptable."

Hannah shook her head. "It'll just make it worse!"

"Not if I speak to your teacher again," Frankie said. "Don't worry, Hannah."

Hannah did not tell her mother that everyone had been angry with her the last time Frankie had spoken to the teacher.

"I just don't talk to everyone," Hannah said. "If they say stuff to me I just ignore it."

Which is exactly what Will had told her, Frankie recalled. But Hannah could not go through her life not talking to anyone.

"Your father and I will take care of it," Frankie told her.

Hannah muttered something under her breath.

"What was that?" Frankie asked.

"Nothing," Hannah replied.

Frankie leaned over and kissed her daughter's forehead. "I love you, sweetheart. I just want you to be happy."

"I know," Hannah said softly.

"Where's that smile I love so much?" Frankie asked.

Hannah gave her a smile. "Right here."

"Are you looking forward to getting to know your great grandparents?" Frankie asked, changing the subject.

Hannah nodded. "I am."

"We'll find out tomorrow how things work," Frankie said.

"Grandpa's going to be so happy," Hannah said looking over to where Neville was sitting with Frank.

"I hope so," Frankie said. "He deserves some happiness."

Neville looked over at his father who was just staring at the same spot on the wall.

"Hi Dad," Neville approached him.

Frank grunted in response.

"How are you today?" Neville asked.

Frank did not answer and Neville put his hand on his father's arm. "It's okay," Neville said. "Tomorrow---tomorrow, you're going to be fine."

Frank looked over at him, his face unresponsive.

Neville sighed. "You know I keep waiting for a sign to tell me I'm doing the right thing."

Frank looked at him a moment longer then gazed over at Alice, who was sitting on the bed with Sukie.

"That's what I'm doing this for," Neville said. "For you and Mum...so you can know your grandchildren and your great-grandchildren."

Frank looked back at him. "N...Nev..."

Neville grinned. "Dad? That's right."

"Nev..." Frank nodded.

Cho heard him and came up behind her husband. "Neville--"

"I think I got my sign," Neville looked up at his wife.

Cho put her arms around him.

"This has to work," he said. "It has to."

"It will," Cho said confidently.

"Emma," Allison said. "Did you just eat that whole bag of crisps after I told you not to?"

Emma wiped the crumbs from her mouth. "No, Mummy."

Allison gave her a look.

Emma smiled innocently.

"You ate Adam's too," Allison. "Emma Madeline..."

"I'm sorry," Emma said, her lower lip trembling. "I was just really, really hungry."

"Bad Em," Adam said.

Toshio laughed. "How about I make a run for the cafeteria and get everyone a snack?"

"Emma's done," Allison said. "She's had enough until dinner tonight."

Emma pouted.

"You heard your mum," Jon told his daughter. "You shouldn't have eaten all those."

Emma started to cry. Alice slowly got up and walked over to the little girl. She patted Emma's shoulder. "Ba-by."

Everyone in the room turned to look at the older woman.

Alice put her arms around Emma and hugged her.

Emma stopped crying and hugged her great grandmother back.

Neville squeezed Cho's hand as they watched this.

"I love you, Grandma," Emma said softly.

"See," Cho whispered. "You ARE doing the right thing, Nev."

Neville smiled. "I think so, too."

Cho wiped at her eyes. "This is lovely."

Neville nodded. "I can't believe tomorrow everything's going to change."

Cho nodded. “You're going to have your parents back. I can feel it."

Neville gave her a kiss. "Thank you for being patient with me while I figured this all out."

Cho smiled back at him. "Of course."

"This family of ours is finally going to be complete," Neville said confidently.

"Absolutely," Cho leaned against him. "I can't wait."

"Me either," Neville said putting his arm around his wife. He was not going to allow himself to think about the worst case scenario.

"I want a hug too," Sukie said.

Emma stood back. "Come on in, Sukie."

Sukie giggled and propelled herself at Emma.

Alice put her arms around both little girls. "Ba-by."

Frank made a sound deep in his throat and smiled at his wife.

Even Allison's mood was lightened as she watched this. The remaining grandchildren huddled around Alice.

She patted her stomach. "Soon you'll be right there with them, little one."

Jon knelt down beside his wife and shared a smile with her.

"I'm sorry I snapped at you earlier," Allison said to him.

"No, you're not," Jon teased.

Allison shrugged. "Maybe only a little..."

"I still love you anyway," Jon said pecking her on the cheek.

"I love you too," Allison rubbed her stomach.

"How's the baby?" Jon asked.

"Active, it seems," Allison said.

Jon put a hand on her stomach.

"That's your Daddy pushing you, not me," Allison said to her stomach.

"Hey!" Jon laughed.

"Otherwise she will blame me," Allison leaned back.

"Never," Jon grinned.

Allison tried to stretch her back and grimaced. "Ow..."

"You okay?" Jon asked.

Allison nodded.

"You scared me for a second there," Jon said exhaling.

Allison shrugged. "It hurts to bloody move."

"I wish there was something I could do," Jon said squeezing her hand.

"Just be patient with me," Allison said.

"I can do that," Jon said.

"Thank you," she said quietly.

The day continued without any other problems. Neville's daughters and their families left, leaving just Neville and Cho. The nurse had already come in to remind them that visiting hours were nearly over.

"I know," Neville said. "I just... I’ll stay till they're over. Just in case."

The nurse nodded. "It's a big day tomorrow, Mr. Longbottom."

Neville nodded. "For all of us."

Cho helped Alice into her bed.

"We'll see you tomorrow Alice," Cho said. "Bright and early."

Alice patted Cho's hand.

"Get some rest," Cho said to her mother in law. "We love you."

Neville helped his father. "I love you, Dad."

Frank made the noise in his throat again.

Neville smiled. "Sleep well, Dad."

"Neville," Cho whispered. "We should go."

Neville nodded and walked over to his mother's bed. He kissed her on the forehead and squeezed her hand. "Love you, Mum."

Alice smiled innocently at him.

Neville followed his wife out of the room.

"I wish I could stay," he told her.

"They need their rest and so do you," Cho said softly.

"I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight," Neville said.

Cho cupped his face in her hands. "Try."

Neville gave her a kiss. "You're my rock you know."

"You're mine," Cho said. "Come on. Let's go home."

*** *** ***

*** *** ***

Saffron woke up the next morning and reached for Andrew. They liked to lie together for a few minutes in the morning before Ellie woke up and they began their day. This morning, he was not there.

She put on her robe and headed for Ellie's nursery, thinking Andrew had woken up early and was getting Ellie ready for breakfast.

The door was open and Saffron saw her fiancé holding Ellie and moving around in some sort of box step. "One...two...three," Andrew was whispering to himself. "One…two...three..."

"What are you doing?" Saffron asked, leaning against the door frame.

Andrew turned and looked at her. "Saf--"

Saffron smiled at him.

"I uh, Ellie was crying and I wanted to keep her quiet so the only way I could do it was to move around with her,” Andrew lied.

"I didn't hear her crying," Saffron stretched.

Andrew patted Ellie's back. "Really? Because she was crying her little lungs out..."

"You must have quieted her awfully fast," Saffron said dryly.

"I'm her Daddy," Andrew said with a grin.

"And she knows it," Saffron gave him a kiss.

"How'd you sleep?" Andrew asked.

"Great, actually." Saffron said. "Didn't wake up once."

Andrew smiled and gingerly handed Ellie to her.

"How's my perfect girl this morning?" Saffron asked her daughter.

Ellie gave her a gummy smile in response.

Saffron laughed. "You little heartbreaker you."

"What time's your meeting with Drew?" Andrew asked.

"Ten," Saffron answered.

Andrew nodded. "I um, I don't have practise until one so I was thinking I'd take Ellie to the park or something."

"Okay," Saffron said. "The meeting shouldn't run more than a few hours, so I'll come back here and take her shopping."

Andrew nodded. He had another dance lesson set up with Hermione.

"I'm sure she'll love the park," Saffron said as she sat down in the rocking chair. "Now that the weather is starting to warm up."

Andrew started putting together a bag for his daughter."In fact, if my meeting runs short, I could always meet you in the park," Saffron said.

"What?" Andrew asked.

Saffron gave him a strange look. "I could meet you and Ellie at the park."

"You wouldn't want to do that," Andrew said dismissively.

"Why not?" Saffron asked.

"Well, the park's really large," Andrew said, cursing himself for not being able to think of a good excuse on the spot.

Saffron looked at him properly. "What's going on?"

"I'm just packing a bag for the park," Andrew replied.

"You don't want me to come meet you there," Saffron said. "Why?"

"How about I make us some breakfast?" Andrew asked.

"Ok..." Saffron shrugged.

Andrew practically ran out of the nursery and Saffron looked at her daughter. "What is your Daddy up to, El?"

Ellie cooed up at her.

Saffron laughed. "That's my girl."

She changed Ellie into a little pink outfit Alexa had bought her and brought her to the kitchen.

"She's all ready," Saffron said.

"I got her bottle ready," Andrew nodded to the counter.

"Thanks," Saffron said reaching for it. She watched him, wishing that she could read his mind. She hated when someone kept something from her. And she had known Andrew long enough to know that's exactly what he was doing.

He did make her a wonderful breakfast- waffles, which was her favourite.

"Which park are you going to take her to?" Saffron asked.

"Hyde, probably." Andrew replied.

"You know, you've been taking her to the park a lot lately," Saffron commented.

"She likes it," Andrew said. "And it's some bonding time for us."

"Daddy-Daughter stuff?" Saffron asked.

Andrew nodded. "She likes it outside."

Saffron raised an eyebrow. "You're not filling her head with Wimbourne propaganda are you? Telling her that Puddlemere is horrible and awful..."

"Would I do that?" Andrew grinned at her.

"You have done that," Saffron countered.

"And you don't?" he asked playfully.

"Absolutely not," Saffron said innocently. She looked down at Ellie who was still happily drinking from her bottle.

"Yeah right," Andrew replied.

"So, you don't want me to horn in on your bonding time with Ellie?" Saffron asked.

Andrew just shrugged. "I just don't know where we'll be and I don't want you wandering the park looking for us."

"Uh-huh," Saffron said unconvinced.

Andrew set the waffles down in front of her. "Eat up."

"Ellie," Saffron said. "Time to go to Daddy."

Andrew took Ellie and tipped up the bottle so she could finish it. "Where's that big one?"

He put her on his shoulder to burp her.

Ellie let out a small burp causing Andrew to laugh.

"That's a ladylike one," Saffron said.

"Good girl," Andrew said.

Saffron laughed. "You love it when she lets out those huge loud ones."

"I'm a bloke," Andrew said. "We live for those things."

"My girl will always be a lady," Saffron said.

"Should we start calling her 'Elinore', then?" Andrew teased.

"Whatever she wants," Saffron said.

"And how are your waffles, Saf?" Andrew asked.

"Delicious as always," Saffron replied. "I'm so glad you can cook."

Andrew grinned at her. "That's it, isn't it? The only reason you're marrying me."

Saffron laughed. "It's one of the reasons."

"So, what are you meeting with Drew about today?" Andrew asked. "Flowers?"

Saffron nodded. "And decorating the ballroom."

"It's nearly here," Andrew smiled at her. "Can you believe it?"

"I can't wait," Saffron said. "I can't wait to be married to you."

"So, no cold feet?" Andrew asked.

"Never," Saffron replied.

Andrew leaned over and gave her a kiss.

"I love you so much," Saffron said her eyes half closed.

"I love you," Andrew said.

"I should get moving," Saffron said after giving him another kiss.

"Ellie and me too," Andrew said. He was scheduled to be at the Minister's mansion at ten.

"I'm going to take a shower," she said, waving her wand at the mess on the table and counters.

Andrew nodded and waited until she was out of the room before he stood up with Ellie. "Where were we?" he asked her with a grin. "One... two... three...”

Ellie smiled at him and cooed.

"I've improved, haven't I?" Andrew asked. "Your dad's turned into a dancer."

Ellie blinked her eyes and looked up at him.

"That's my girl," Andrew said.

Andrew and Ellie left a few minutes later for Harry and Hermione's. Saffron received an owl from Drew asking if she could meet at the ballroom since it would be better to plan in the actual room. Saffron did not think it would be a problem and she grabbed her bag and Apparated over to her parents' home. "Hello?" she called out. "Mum? Dad?"

"Saffy!" Hermione exclaimed. "What brings you by?"

"You're out of breath," Saffron said smiling at her. "Are you okay?"

"Fine," Hermione nodded.

"I didn't think you'd be home," Saffron said. "Drew and I are meeting here to look at the ballroom and talk about decorations."

"Oh..." Hermione was at a loss for words. She knew Andrew and Ellie would be here any minute. "Sweetheart, I wish you had talked to me first. The ballroom is all closed off."

Saffron raised an eyebrow. "Oh."

"If we had known in time I would have it opened up." Hermione said. "Perhaps another time?"

Saffron looked at her mother. "Eww...you and Daddy weren't---"

"No," Hermione said hastily.

Saffron sighed in relief. "Thank Merlin for that."

Hermione brought her into the kitchen. "How about Tuesday, or Thursday?"

"Tuesday would be good," Saffron said. "I don't have practise then."

"Okay," Hermione agreed. "We'll have it opened up."

"Thanks," Saffron said. "I should have called before--"

"It's just so we have an idea of what's going on," Hermione said quickly. "As it is today, your father and I are quite busy--"

Saffron had the feeling her mother was trying to get rid of her. "Where is Daddy? I'd like to say hello. I have a new photograph of Ellie..."

"He's in the shower," Hermione replied. "I... I have a meeting I have to go to, and he has work today."

"You're not dressed for a meeting," Saffron commented. Her mother was wearing jeans and a jumper.

"It's just a quick one," Hermione shepherded her into the sitting room. "And I'm running late--"

"Mum," Saffron protested.

"I'm sorry sweetheart," Hermione said. "If I'd known you were coming..."

The fireplace started to roar to life and Hermione's eyes grew large. "Saffy! Come quick!"

"What?" Saffron asked, alarmed. "Mum- it's probably Drew."

"Come quick!" Hermione said hastily. "I think you should see the ballroom!"

"But you said it was closed," Saffron was confused.

Hermione pulled on her daughter’s arm and led her out of the room just as Ellie and Andrew appeared.

"I suppose I could open it up just for you," Hermione said. "Especially since you and Drew need to figure out things for the wedding."

"But you just said it was closed," Saffron said. "Mum, are you sure you're okay?"

"Fine, just fine," Hermione said. "Go on in and I'll send Drew in when she arrives."

Hermione closed the door firmly behind her daughter and took a deep breath. That had been close.

She hurried back to the sitting room. "Andrew- Saffron just showed up here."

Andrew's eyes grew large. "WHAT?"

"What did you tell her you were doing?" Hermione asked.

"Taking Ellie to the park," Andrew said keeping his voice down.

Hermione nodded. "Perhaps you should go there for a little while, then. We should reschedule the lesson, just in case."

Ellie chose that moment to start crying. Andrew picked her up. "Shhhhhhh....shhhhhhh, Ellie."

Hermione pushed him into the kitchen. "She may hear you!"

Andrew nodded and tried to calm his daughter. "Ellie," he whispered. "Please be quiet for Daddy."

Ellie let out a few more choked sobs before quieting down.

"That's a good girl," Hermione said patting her granddaughter's back.

"Close call," Andrew nodded. "I'll go to the park. I don't want Saf seeing me here."

"I'll ring you when she leaves," Hermione promised.

"All right," Andrew nodded. "Thanks."

"Bye, sweetheart," Hermione said kissing Ellie's soft cheek.

"We'll talk soon," Andrew promised, slipping out the back door.

Hermione took a deep breath before heading to the ballroom.

Saffron was still inside, walking and gazing around at the walls and high ceiling.

"It wasn't Drew," Hermione said coming down the staircase.

"Who was it?" Saffron asked.

"No one," Hermione said dismissively.

Saffron looked at her mother pensively but decided to let it go. "Don’t' you have your meeting to get to?"

"My meeting?" Hermione asked. "It was postponed."

"Oh," Saffron smiled. "So you can stay with me now."

Hermione put her arm around her daughter. "So, it would seem. Where's that photo you were saying you had of my granddaughter?"

Saffron reached into her bag. "This one."

Hermione grinned. "Saffy!"

"She's getting so big already," Saffron said wistfully.

"Look at that smile," Hermione said softly. "She reminds me so much of you at that age."

"She's much cuter than I was," Saffron replied.

The ballroom door opened. "Hermione? Are you and---Saffy. What---what are you doing here?" Harry asked.

"Hi Dad," Saffron smiled. "Drew will be here any minute to go over floral arrangements and decor for in here. For the wedding."

Harry looked at Hermione. "Oh. How nice."

Hermione gave him a look. "My meeting was postponed until later."

Harry nodded. "Oh, good."

"Are you going to stay while we go over this stuff?" Saffron asked him.

Harry chuckled. "No."

"That's all right," Saffron replied. "It's all girly stuff anyhow."

"And you know how much I love that," Harry said giving his daughter a hug.

Saffron laughed. "But you love me."

"I do," Harry said. "I can't believe in just a few months, I'll be giving you away."

"Will you make it down the aisle?" Saffron teased.

"You might have to hold me up," Harry said with a grin.

"I can do that," Saffron nudged him.

"He's going to be okay," Hermione said. "I keep telling him he's not losing a daughter, he's gaining a son-in-law."

"That's right," Harry answered. "Couldn't ask for a much better one for my baby girl."

"Absolutely," Hermione agreed.

The doors opened and Drew hurried inside. "I'm sorry I'm late," she apologised. "Chloe wouldn't let me leave the house this morning."

"It's no problem," Saffron told her. "How is she?"

"So excited," Drew said with a grin. "She's been practising being a flower girl in the corridor."

Hermione laughed. "Oh, how precious!"

"She is too much," Drew nodded.

Harry gave Drew a hug before he left the ballroom.

"I brought over some fabric samples," Drew told Saffron. "That you might want to use for the tablecloths."

"All right," Saffron said as Hermione waved her wand, opening up all the doors to let some fresh air inside.

"Thanks, Mum," Saffron smiled at her.

"It's been awhile since we've used this room," Hermione said.

"It's such a great location for the reception," Drew said looking around.

"It's the only place I've ever wanted to be married," Saffron said. "Ever since I've been a little girl."

Hermione smiled fondly. "You've always loved this house."

"I hated moving out," Saffron said. "I mean, don't get me wrong, living with Andrew is a dream. But I miss this place."

"Maybe someday you'll move back in here," Drew joked. "When you're elected Minister."

Saffron laughed. "Or perhaps I'll buy it off the Minister with my riches from playing Quidditch."

Hermione shook her head. "Saffron Grace..."

"Just kidding," Saffron hugged her mother.

The three of them spent the next hour going over Drew's fabric samples and the basic design of the ballroom.

"I think a nice, simple and low arrangement at each table would be lovely," Drew said.

Saffron nodded. "That's what I was thinking. I know we're going to have loads of people here."

"How many?" Hermione asked. "Five hundred? Six hundred?"

"At last count, there were seven hundred guests," Drew said looking at her notes.

"Saffron!" Hermione exclaimed.

Saffron blushed. "It might not be that much! I mean, not everyone has responded yet..."

"Do we even know 700 people?" Hermione asked.

Drew grinned. "About two hundred of them are Weasleys..."

Hermione groaned but laughed.

"Maybe we could scale back," Saffron said thoughtfully.

"Let's just see who responds," Hermione said. "We don't need to add anyone else."

"Mrs. Kirke went a little overboard," Saffron admitted.

"We'll make it work," Hermione assured her.

Drew handed Saffron some discs. "These are some bands. You and Andrew should take a listen and let me know who you like."

"We still have to pick a song too," Saffron stuck them in her bag. "We'll get back to you on that soon."

"So, you're going to get Andrew to dance?" Drew teased. "Mr. Two Left Feet himself?"

"I might get to drag him out here once," Saffron said. "I should probably charm his feet."

Hermione hid her smile. Andrew was going to surprise everyone at the reception.

"Either way, he'll dance just once for me," Saffron replied.

Hermione smiled. "We can charm your feet to not hurt when he steps on them."

Saffron laughed. "I can muddle through it."

Drew looked at her watch. "I have another appointment at noon, but you let me know what you decide on the band and the tablecloths."

"I will," Saffron promised. "Thanks so much, Drew."

"You're quite welcome," Drew said grinning at her. "Darla and I want to make this a special day for you and Andrew."

"It's going to be one of the best days of my life," Saffron replied. "I already know it."

Drew gave Saffron and Hermione hugs. "I'll see you both later."

"Well," Hermione smiled at her daughter. "What's on your agenda?"

Saffron shrugged. "Well, I was thinking I'd meet Andrew in the park, but he's gone all secretive on me. I think he's up to something."

Hermione coughed. "I'm sure that's not the case."

"Well, he said it was just so he and the baby could bond," Saffron said. "But, you know, I've known him for a long time now. I can tell when he's hiding something."

"You're just being silly," Hermione said hastily. "Andrew would never lie to you."

Saffron nodded. "I know that. I'm probably just being paranoid. He and Ellie deserve time on their own."

Hermione patted her shoulder. "I'm sure that's it."

"So were things this crazy before your wedding?" Saffron asked.

Hermione nodded. "A wedding is a huge thing to plan."

"Daddy said Aunt Lavender practically drove him nuts," Saffron said.

"As if that's changed," Hermione said dryly.

Saffron laughed. "I have another fitting for my dress tomorrow. Will you---will you be there with me?"

"With bells on," Hermione promised. "I don't want to miss any of this."

Saffron gave her mother a hug. "I love you, Mum. I hope Andrew and I are as happy as you and Daddy."

"I think you already are," Hermione kissed the top of her daughter's head.

"We're on our way," Saffron said. "I have everything I've always wanted."

"I'm glad," Hermione said. "I just want you to be happy."

"I am," Saffron said.

Hermione glanced at her watch. "Do you have practise today?"

"At one," Saffron replied.

"It's going on twelve already," Hermione said

"Ooooh," Saffron said standing up. "I should get a move on then."

Hermione was relieved. Andrew could still get his lesson in today.

"Thank you so much for freeing up the space today," Saffron said.

"Anything for you," Hermione said.

Saffron gave her mother one last hug before she hurried out of the ballroom.

Hermione followed behind as her daughter left via the Floo network. She reached in her pocket for her mobile to call her future son in law.

He picked up on the first ring. "Andrew?"

"Is she still there?" Andrew asked. "Or coming here?"

"No," Hermione replied. "The coast is clear. She's going home."

"Okay," Andrew was relieved. "Thanks for covering for me."

"No problem," Hermione said. "Come on over and we can get some practise in."

I'll be there in a minute," Andrew replied as he hung up.

Andrew looked down at Ellie in her pram. "Your mummy is keeping me on my toes, El.":

Ellie laughed at him.

"On her side, aren't you?" Andrew joked. "Come on...off to Grandma's with you."

He arrived there a minute later and Hermione was ushering him inside.

"I pick the one girl in the whole world that it's impossible to keep something from," Andrew said shaking his head.

"That's my daughter," Hermione replied, eagerly taking Ellie back into her arms.

"Too smart for her own good," Andrew said.

"Come on," Hermione said. "We'll go use the ballroom again. It's all opened up."

Andrew nodded. "Ellie's quite the dance partner."

"Have you been practising with your daddy?" Hermione cooed to the infant.

Ellie rested her head on Hermione's shoulder. Andrew laughed. "She's the only one that I can't stomp on her feet."

"Soon you won't stomp on anyone's feet," Hermione told him. "You're doing a great job Andrew."

"Thanks, Hermione," Andrew said gratefully. He knew that she was a busy woman and that she did not have to do this for him.

Hermione waved her wand with her free hand and a Wireless came soaring towards them, settling on a table.

Hermione set Ellie down in her pram. "Let's get started."

Andrew nodded. "El will probably fall asleep. This is her usual kip time."

Hermione smiled. "We'll be extra quiet."

She kept the music low as she and Andrew got into a waltz position.

"Alright," Hermione said. "I'll let you lead."

Andrew nodded as he began to waltz with her around the ballroom floor.

"Good," Hermione encouraged.

Andrew grinned but stumbled over her foot. "Sorry," he said, embarrassed.

"It's okay," Hermione reassured him.

"Guess I'm not as good as I thought." Andrew admitted.

"You're improving and we still have time before the wedding," Hermione said.

"That's true," Andrew nodded.

"And Saffron will be so pleased," Hermione said. "That you loved her enough to do something you didn't really like just for her."

"It's not that I don't like dancing," Andrew said. "I've just never been very good at it. But for our wedding, I want to be able to dance with her."

Hermione smiled. "You're a quick learner, Andrew."

"Thanks," He grinned at her. "You're a good teacher."

"Buttering up the mother-in-law?" Hermione teased.

"Do I have to?" Andrew joked back.

Hermione laughed. "No, Harry's the one you have to worry about."

"He likes me, right?" Andrew asked a bit anxiously. "I mean... he's told me before he does, but--"

Hermione nodded. "He does, Andrew. It's just---Saffron is his baby girl. This is going to be hard for him to let go. It's not because he doesn't like you, he does. It's just he and Saffron ...have always been thick as thieves. I keep telling him that isn't going to change."

Andrew shook his head. "She talks about him all the time."

"She's definitely a Daddy's girl," Hermione said.

"I hope El and I have the same close relationship," Andrew glanced over at the pram.

"I think you will," Hermione said.

Andrew grinned. "I hope!"

Andrew and Hermione finished their lesson just as Ellie awoke from her kip. "Can I?" Hermione asked looking at Andrew.

"Of course," Andrew nodded.

Hermione eagerly walked over to the pram and lifted her granddaughter. "Hello, my little angel," Hermione said hugging the infant to her.

Ellie cooed happily at her grandmother.

Hermione laughed and looked over at Andrew. "Anytime you and Saffy need a babysitter, I'd be happy to clear my schedule to spend time with her."

"Thanks," Andrew said gratefully. "Both you and my mum have made the offer."

Hermione laughed. "Well, Tricia gets to keep her when you and Saffy are working."

"Well if she's ever busy," Hermione offered.

"You're will be out first alternate," Andrew promised.

"Great," Hermione smiled. "For now, I'll just enjoy her today."

Ellie smiled back at Hermione.

Hermione kissed her cheek. "Such a little beauty."

"Who is never going to date," Andrew said. "I keep saying that hoping it will catch on."

"Harry tried the same thing," Hermione said.

"So it's pointless then?" Andrew asked reaching into the bag and pulling out a bottle. He handed it to Hermione.

"Pretty much," Hermione nodded. "It's understandable for a father to feel that way."

"How'd you feel when Ethan began to date?" Andrew asked.

Hermione looked thoughtful. "I hoped he'd always be a gentleman to all his girlfriends. And I just wanted him to find someone he would be happy with."

"He did with Maddie," Andrew said.

Hermione nodded. "I was thrilled when he finally took an interest in Maddie. I thought they'd make a good match, and not just due to her visions."

Andrew sat down and watched as Hermione fed Ellie. He would never admit this, but dancing was quite tiring.

313. Chapter 313 Feels Like Old Times

Authors' note: We hope you enjoy this chapter. Please read and review!

Andrew was hungry and figured he would go home and grab something to eat before Saffron got back.

After saying goodbye to Hermione, he and Ellie headed for home.

"Your daddy's hungry," Andrew made a face at her.

Ellie gurgled at Andrew as he placed her in her bouncy seat. Andrew kissed her cheek.

"You just stay happy in there," Andrew kissed her cheek.

While Andrew made his lunch, Saffron was just finishing her practise. She and RJ were walking off the field together. "So what do you and Aud have planned for tonight?" Saffron asked her friend.

"I don't have plans with Aud," RJ replied.

"You don't?" Saffron asked in surprise.

RJ shook his head. "I will be going to my first ever basketball game. Lex has tickets for her school."

"You're going to California with Alexa?" Saffron asked.

"Just for a few hours for the game," RJ said. "I've never watched a basketball game before, but she said they have great food and you know that's all I---what? What's that look for?"

"Why are you suddenly seeing so much of Alexa?" Saffron asked suspiciously.

"Because we're friends," RJ said as if the answer should have been obvious.

"Uh huh," Saffron said. "Don't goof this up with Audrey, RJ."

RJ rolled his eyes. "I'm not goofing anything up with Aud, Saffy. Aud and I are fine. Lexie's just needed a friend with all that's happened with being away from home and Boyd and his issues..."

"I know they've had a lot of troubles," Saffron nodded. "But I hoped he'd start making more time for her.

"He's an idiot," RJ said bluntly.

"He's my cousin," Saffron said. "And he does love her. He's just a workaholic like his dad."

RJ shrugged. "He needs to start acting like it."

Saffron shrugged.

"Look, I'll see you later," RJ said. "I might even bring you back a souvenir from the game."

"One of those big foam fingers?" Saffron asked, laughing.

"If you're nice," RJ said tugging on her ponytail.

"I'm nice," Saffron nudged him.

"You are?" RJ asked incredulously. "Let me know the next time you are so I don't miss it."

"Git," Saffron poked him hard.

"Say hi to Andrew," RJ said before heading for the locker room.

"I will," Saffron replied. "Talk to you later."

"Later, Spice Girl," RJ said over his shoulder.

"Cassandra," Saffron retorted.

RJ shook his head. He still had some time before he had to be in California.

He took a leisurely shower and got himself dressed, even using a touch of cologne. He wasn't sure what to wear to a basketball game.

Scanlon looked at RJ. "You got plans with your Muggle girl then?"

"Going to a basketball game," RJ said. "Is that something to get dressed up for?"

Scanlon thought about this for a moment. "I don't think so."

"So this is okay?" he indicated his jeans and shirt.

"Yes, Nancy," Scanlon said sarcastically.

"Who's Nancy?" RJ asked confusedly.

"You," Scanlon chuckled. "Since you're acting like a girl."

"Piss off you wanker," RJ retorted.

Scanlon laughed. "Later, Weasley."

RJ flipped him off before leaving the locker room.

He was excited about seeing a new sport. He had heard about basketball before, but today he would actually see it played before. Perhaps, he could teach it to his nephews.

He checked his watch and realised the portkey he'd had set up would activate soon. It was supposed to take him to Alexa's dorm room. She was supposed to have her roommate cleared out.

RJ took the book from his gym bag and closed his eyes.

HE felt himself being sucked away and seconds later he was hurled right in the middle of Alexa's room.

Alexa looked up from her book. "Speak of the devil."

RJ grinned at her. "Bring on the food you keep talking about. And this basketball stuff."

Alexa gave him a hug. "I'm so glad you're here."

"It's good to see you too," RJ said.

"How's everything at home?" Alexa asked.

"Just fine," RJ replied. "Hey do they sell those foam finger things at the game? Saffron wants one."

Alexa laughed. "Yes, they do."

"Cool," RJ replied. "And of course, the food."

Alexa nudged him. "Okay, okay. Let me just get my bag and the tickets and we can go."

"Sure," RJ nodded. "So where's Boyd-- I mean Gabriel?"

Alexa shrugged. "No idea."

RJ shook his head.

"Let's not talk about him," Alexa said. "We're going to have a good time, right?"

"You bet," RJ put an arm around her.

Alexa blushed. "Let's go."

RJ couldn't help but wonder what the hell was wrong with Boyd. He had no romantic interest in Alexa anymore, but she was still quite a catch. Boyd obviously didn't know a good thing when he had it.

"The stadium's not that far," Alexa said. "And apparently, we're playing Arizona. You should probably be going to one of these games with someone who actually knows more about it."

"Okay," RJ replied. "Maybe I'll hear things from people around us."

"You'll be too busy stuffing your face," Alexa teased.

"Probably," he agreed.

"The food is on me," Alexa told him. "I want to thank you for all you've done for me the past few weeks. I'd have gone crazy if it hadn't been for you."

"I haven't done that much, Lexie." RJ said.

Alexa stopped walking. "You've been such a great friend. I don't think I can unload on Saf because she has so much going on, but you've been here to listen to me."

"I like to think I know you well enough," RJ agreed.

"You do," Alexa said smiling at him.

"We've been through a lot together," RJ added.

"Loads," Alexa said.

They headed towards the stadium and RJ breathed in the smell of the food wafting through the air. "Oh Merlin..."

Alexa laughed and grabbed his arm. "Come on."

"I want one of everything," RJ said.

"Ask and you shall receive," Alexa said as they joined the queue.

RJ's mouth was nearly watering when they reached the front of the line. "One of everything," he said to the bloke behind the counter. "Everything."

The man looked at him. "W-what?"

"One of everything," RJ repeated.

Alexa nodded. "And can I have a slice of cheese pizza and a regular soda?"

"Uh..." the guy said. "Sure..."

RJ grinned at Alexa when the man had turned away to put together their order. "Dude," RJ said affecting a surfer accent. "I think we just blew his mind."

Alexa laughed. "RJ!"

RJ winked at her and leaned in. "I think we might have to shrink this down to carry it all to our seats," he whispered.

"We'll have to manage," Alexa told him. "Somehow."

The bloke turned to RJ. "Do you want chilli cheese fries, too?"

"What are those?" RJ asked.

"Chips with chilli and cheese," Alexa told him. "Loads of calories and fat..."

"Oh yes," RJ said. "I'll take some of those too."

The bloke behind the counter loaded up two cardboard boxes with their food and RJ gallantly offered to carry them if Alexa would carry their drinks.

"Sure," Alexa agreed. "Our seats aren't too far away."

RJ nodded balancing the boxes in his hands. He was eager to get to the seats to sample the food.

"Come on," Alexa led him through the crowd.

RJ could not help but look around at the stadium. He could not wait to tell his mates back home about this.

"Here we are," Alexa motioned with her head. "We're on an aisle, thankfully."

"In case you have to get up and go the loo," RJ teased. "Like you always used to do when we'd go to the theatre."

"Very funny," Alexa said. "Although after drinking this I'll be surprised if I'm not running out after ten minutes."

"That one film we watched you spent nearly half of it in there," RJ joked. "I thought you'd fallen in."

"I'm surprised you remember that," she said.

"You're kind of hard to forget," RJ said sitting down.

"So are you," Alexa replied. "Which is why I'm glad we've become friends again."

"Me too," RJ agreed. He looked out on the court where girls in short skirts were walking to the centre. "Who are they?" "Cheerleaders," Alexa replied.

"Wow..." RJ said appreciatively.

Alexa nudged him. "You going to see if you can get those for Puddlemere?"

"That is an EXCELLENT idea," RJ said.

"Saffy would never go for it," Alexa said. "You know that."

"I’d have to really fight her wouldn't I?" RJ asked.

"You know it," Alexa said. "But, then you and Saffy have always fought well."

"Most of the time," RJ said, digging into a huge hot dog.

Alexa took a bite of her pizza, feeling so much better now that RJ was here. He was like a little piece of home here in California.

"I can't believe how good this is," he said ravenously.

"Pace yourself," Alexa joked.

"I can go get more right?" RJ asked, finishing the hot dog and reaching for the cheese fries.

"Of course," Alexa said.

RJ felt like he had died and gone to heaven when he got his first taste of chilli cheese fries. "I HAVE to bring my dad to one of these games for the food." he said.

Alexa laughed. "Your dad would think he'd died and gone to heaven."

"That's exactly my reaction," RJ said with his mouth full.

Alexa smiled at him and handed him a napkin. "You have cheese on your chin."

"Thanks," RJ replied, swiping at his face.

The game began and it did not take RJ long to catch on to the rules.

"So if he shoots from back there, it's three points," RJ pointed to the line.

"Yes," Alexa replied. "And that number 24 is supposedly really good at it. He's made like six of those shots in a row."

"Cool," RJ said. "Quidditch is still better."

"You're only here for the food and the cheerleaders," Alexa teased.

"Pretty much," RJ admitted.

"And to see one of your oldest friends?" Alexa asked reaching for one of the crisps.

"That too," RJ bumped her shoulder.

Alexa laughed. "Nice to know where I stand."

"Crisp?" RJ ripped open the bag and offered it to her.

"Thanks," Alexa said reaching into the bag. She felt someone tapping on her shoulder and turned to see her roommate. "Carmen. I didn't know you were coming to the game."

Carmen shrugged. "Just got bored is all." she looked at RJ with great interest. "Who's THAT?"

RJ grinned and affected the same American surfer accent he had used earlier. "What's up, dude."

"I'm Carmen," she said flirtatiously while Alexa pressed her lips together to hide her laughter.

"Kiefer," RJ said thinking of the first name that came to him.

"Mmm," Carmen smiled. "Are you an actor?"

"No," Alexa answered for him. "Kiefer's in one of my classes. We just met up here at the game."

"Oh," Carmen was disappointed. "He doesn't know Gabe? Or his dad?"

Alexa shook her head. "Where are you sitting?" she asked, changing the subject.

"Oh, anywhere," Carmen said, still looking at RJ with interest.

Alexa rolled her eyes. "Well, we wouldn't want to keep you."

Carmen smiled at RJ. "So will you be around more often?"

"Maybe," RJ grinned. "Dude."

"Cool," Carmen touched his arm. "See you later then."

Alexa shook her head as she watched her roommate walk away.

"How come you don't like her?" RJ asked.

"I do like her," Alexa said. "It's just...she can be a bit much and she's always going on and on about Hollywood this and Hollywood that..."

"She's star struck, eh?" RJ asked, stuffing nachos into his mouth.

"Big time," Alexa replied.

"She's cute," RJ shrugged. "I prefer studious brunettes, of course, but she's not bad."

The smile on Alexa's face faltered a bit at his words. "I, um, I'll be right back..."

RJ nodded, his attention turned back to his food.

Alexa hurried up the steps to the concourse and wondered what was she thinking. She had no reason to be jealous of RJ and his relationship with Audrey. These feelings she was having were just nostalgic. Besides, she and Gabe---well, she wasn't sure what they had anymore. Everything was so messed up right now.

It was just nice to have someone she could be herself with, Alexa reasoned.

She found herself looking forward to the weekends when she could go home to England and be with the people who knew her and who loved her no matter what.

She didn't think she wanted to return to school here, but was determined to at least finish out the year. She hadn't told Gabe yet, but knew she had to break it to him soon.

Alexa took a deep breath and walked back to her seat.

"Hey they just scored," RJ pointed to the team.

"Go Bruins!" Alexa said pumping her fist, trying to muster some enthusiasm.

RJ laughed. "Is that what everyone was screaming?"

Alexa could not help laughing, too. "What did you think they were shouting?"

"I don't know," he said. "Something about bruises..."

Alexa laughed. "Bru-ins."

"Got it," RJ replied, finishing his soda.

The two of them managed to get caught up in the game as the score was very close. With two seconds to go, UCLA was down by two. Alexa had a feeling that the game was over, but what happened next was utterly amazing. The forward threw the ball into the guard and he threw the ball all the way across the court. The stadium was deadly silent until the ball went through the hoop. UCLA had won the game by one point. RJ scooped Alexa up and hugged her tightly. "That was absolutely amazing!" he shouted. "DID YOU SEE THAT?"

She laughed. "It was incredible!"

"Incredible!" RJ echoed.

Alexa grinned at him as he set her back down. "What do you think of basketball?"

"Quidditch is still better, but I liked it," RJ replied.

"I figured you would," Alexa said as they gathered up their garbage.

"That was fantastic," RJ said again as they made their way toward the concourse.

Alexa nodded. "What a great game for you to see."

"They must have known I was coming," RJ said with a grin. He and Alexa threw their rubbish into the bins.

"I'm sure that's the reason," she said dryly.

RJ tugged on her ponytail. "So, I guess I should walk you home, eh?"

"That would be nice," she bumped his shoulder.

RJ smiled. "It's the least I can do."

Alexa grinned. "I had fun tonight."

"Me too," RJ said. He laughed. "I still can't believe you and I are doing stuff like this, you know?"

"I know," she said. "It’s nice."

It had rained while they were in the stadium and the temperature was unseasonably cool. RJ took off his jacket. "Here," he said draping it over her shoulders.

"Thank you," Alexa said softly. "Still a gentleman."

"I have my moments," RJ grinned at her.

"You always had more than moments," Alexa looked up at him.

RJ laughed. "Tell that to Saffy sometime."

"She'd never believe me," Alexa said dryly.

"Probably not," RJ admitted. "But, you know...I think deep down, she knows how great I am."

"We all know how great you are," Alexa nudged him.

"So are you," RJ nudged her back. "Boyd really is an idiot if he's not making time for you."

Alexa sighed. "He's not an idiot, what he's doing is wonderful. I just don't know if I can ALWAYS play second fiddle to his studies. Sometimes I just want some time alone with him, not his books."

RJ nodded and they walked on in companionable silence.

RJ finally spoke when they reached Alexa's dorm. "You coming home this weekend?"

Alexa nodded. "I've been home almost every weekend."

"That should tell you something right there," RJ told her. "Maybe you should just come home for good."

"I've been thinking about it," Alexa admitted. "A lot."

"Do what's best for you," RJ advised.

Alexa gave him a hug. "Thanks, RJ. You go home and tell Audrey I said hello and that I think she's a very lucky girl."

"She knows that already," RJ said unabashedly.

Alexa laughed. "Thanks for coming to the game with me."

"I want to go again soon," RJ said. "Try all the other food--"

"RJ, you ate three of everything they had!" Alexa exclaimed.

"Could have gone for five," RJ replied with a grin.

Alexa shook her head. "Good night, RJ."

"Good night, Lexie," RJ said. "I'll see you this weekend."

"Are you ready for some wedding planning?" Alexa asked.

RJ chuckled. "That's for girls."

"I heard Saffron wants the whole wedding party there," Alexa told him.

"Don't want to incur her wrath," RJ said. "So, I guess I'm in."

She laughed. "See you Saturday."

RJ pecked her cheek. "Night, Lexie."

"Bye RJ," Alexa said. "Glad you had fun."

"I did," RJ said. "Thanks again."

Alexa watched him go then headed upstairs to her dorm room, feeling more homesick than ever.

She wanted to ring Saffron, but she did not want to trouble her friend who already had so much going on right now.

Besides that, it was so late back home in England and she was sure Saffron would be asleep already.

Alexa let herself into her room. Thankfully, the room was empty and Carmen was not back yet.

She felt bad for the brush off she'd given Carmen at the game, but her room mate never knew when to stop. It was almost easier for her to pretend she was asleep when Carmen would get in.

She changed into her pyjamas and brushed her teeth. Only two more days and she would be home.

She toyed with the idea of calling Gabe. They had talked a few times, but things were still so strained between them.

She picked up her phone and dialled in his number. Of course, it went straight to voice mail. Alexa remembered that he had a late lab on Wednesdays. She decided not to leave a message.

She stared up at the ceiling as she thought about the events of the past year.

Moving away from home; starting school; Saffron giving birth; becoming closer friends with RJ; growing apart from Gabe. So much had happened in such a small amount of time.

She really wanted to be back home in England. Alexa hated missing out on so much. She missed working in her mum's bakery.

This weekend, she would talk to her parents about finishing up the year here and then perhaps transferring to a university at home.

That thought made her feel better as she turned out her light.

At least, she had made up her mind on one thing.

RJ had just arrived home and was eager to see Audrey and tell her about the game.

"RJ?" Audrey called out. "Is that you?"

"Yeah," he responded. "Sorry I'm so late."

"Where'd you go?" Audrey asked coming out of the bedroom.

"To that basketball game at UCLA," RJ reminded her.

Audrey looked at him with a raised eyebrow. "You and Andrew? You guys went together to the game at Alexa's school?"

"I just met Lexie over there," RJ said. "You wouldn't believe the food--"

Audrey held up her hand. "You---you and Alexa. Alone..."

RJ shrugged. "Yeah..."

He made a move for the bedroom and Audrey put her hand out to stop him. "You were just there three days ago..."

RJ looked at her properly. "Aud... don't be jealous."

Audrey folded her arms. "Why on earth would I be jealous? If my boyfriend has decided to spend every free minute with his ex-girlfriend?"

"I haven't been with her every free minute," RJ argued. "Come on..."

Audrey glared at him. "You're unbelievable."

"Aud..." RJ reached for her. "I love you. You're the only girl I want to be with. Lexie's just a friend now."

"You smell like her perfume," Audrey said squirming out of his embrace.

"I gave her a hug when the team won," RJ said. "That was all."

Audrey did not look convinced.

"That was all," RJ told her again, reaching for her. "I missed you."

"I'd really like it if you stopped seeing her," Audrey said.

"She's my friend," RJ said. "And I thought you liked her."

"I do, but it just seems like every time I turn around, she's with you," Audrey replied.

"She's going through a rough patch with that wanker," RJ said.

Audrey looked at him. "Gabe?"

"Yeah," RJ nodded. "He doesn't make any time for her, and she's really lonely."

Audrey shook her head. "Well, that is what she has Saffy for..."

"Yeah but she doesn't want to bother Saf," RJ told her.

"Because of the wedding and the baby?" Audrey asked.

"Yeah," RJ answered. "They still talk a lot. But right now Alexa just doesn't want to complicate anything in Saf's life.

Audrey looked critically at her boyfriend. "That's all that's going on here? Really?"

"That's all," RJ told her, sliding his arms back around her.

Audrey hugged him. "I'm sorry."

RJ kissed the side of her head. "It's all right. But I promise, you have nothing to worry about."

Audrey relaxed in his arms. "So, um, how was your first basketball game?"

"It was amazing," RJ said. "The food. Wow."

Audrey laughed. "The food---that was the best part? Not the game itself?"

"The game was great," RJ described the last minute to her. "But the food was incredible."

"What did you have?" Audrey asked.

"These things called nachos," RJ said. "And the bloke there called these other things chilli cheese fries..."

"You ate ALL of that?" Audrey asked.

"Well there were hot dogs," RJ said. "And crisps... these huge pretzels..."

Audrey laughed and shook her head. "I honestly do not know where you put it all."

"I know how I like to work it off," RJ nuzzled her neck.

Audrey wanted nothing more than to do that, too, but she was knackered from studying and she was still unsure about this whole Alexa situation. "RJ, I'm really sleepy."

"Okay," he replied. "Long night of studying?"

Audrey nodded. "And I had to fill in for someone at work."

"How about a massage then?" RJ asked. "Shoulders or feet?"

Audrey smiled. "Both?"

"If you want," he grinned at her.

Audrey gave him a kiss. "Thanks."

"Anything for you," he told her as she sat down on the sofa.

She put her feet in his lap. "This is the best."

He began to rub the bottoms of her feet. "You deserve it after working hard."

"You're telling me," Audrey said closing her eyes. "There was a stag party at the pub..."

RJ raised an eyebrow. "They treat you decent?"

"Yes, but they had me running," Audrey replied.

"Cleaned the place out eh?" RJ asked.

"Yes, which made your brothers quite happy," Audrey said.

"Josh especially, right?" RJ asked. "Brought his inventory down did it?"

Audrey laughed. "Yes."

"Well I'm glad it was a good night for the pub," RJ moved to her other foot.

"Did you decide where you're going to have Andrew's stag party?" Audrey asked, closing her eyes again.

"Not yet," RJ said. "Maybe we'll have it there."

Audrey smiled. "It's a great location and you know you'd get a good deal."

RJ laughed. "I'll bring it up and see what he thinks."

"We'll make Becca wait on you lot," Audrey said.

"Hmm," RJ replied. "Long as she'd take care of us, I guess. I'd rather it be you."

"I'm not waiting on you," Audrey said throwing a pillow at him.

"Why not?" he asked.

"You really want me at the stag party?" Audrey asked.

"Just to wait on me," RJ grinned at her.

Audrey threw a pillow at him. "Very funny."

RJ tossed it back at her. "You'll be at Saf's hen night anyways."

"Oooh, that's right," Audrey grinned.

"And you better not go anywhere questionable," RJ wagged a finger at her.

"And you'd better not go to the Veela Snatch that Saffy was telling me about," Audrey said.

RJ made a face. "No thanks."

"Good boy," Audrey said.

"I went there a few times, before you and I dated." RJ said. "It's a dive."

"No beautiful, buxom girls?" Audrey asked.

"The bloke that runs it hires women and makes them dye their hair blonde so they look like Veelas," RJ told her.

"Oh," Audrey said. "So these girls do not look anything like your aunt, Fleur?"

"Only with fake blonde hair and a lot of makeup," RJ said.

"Eww," Audrey said. "Lucky for me you like brunettes."

"I love brunettes," RJ said with a grin.

Audrey smiled back at him before closing her eyes. It did not take long for her to drift into a peaceful sleep.

RJ watched her as he carefully moved out from under her feet and gently picked her up to carry her to their bedroom.

He pulled the covers around her and placed a kiss on her forehead. He had dodged a bullet tonight that was for sure. But, he would make it up to Audrey. He could be friends with Alexa and still have a relationship with Audrey.

Frankie Barron was already on edge that morning. She wanted to be at the hospital to support her father.
The healer was administrating the counter spell on her grandparents in less than two hours and Frankie wanted to be there. But, she also had to deal with a parent-teacher conference with Hannah's teacher. Will squeezed her hand while they waited for the teacher.

"Maybe I should have rescheduled," Frankie said looking at her watch.

"It's better that we just get this over with," Will told her.

Thankfully, Hannah's teacher stepped into the classroom. "Mr. and Mrs. Barron," she said extending her hand.

"Hi," Will shook her hand. "Thanks for meeting with us."

"Of course," Miss Grayson said.

"We're concerned because Hannah's still getting teased by her classmates because of her birth father," Frankie said, getting directly to the point.

Miss Grayson nodded. "Mrs. Barron, I already spoke to the children. I told them that it wasn't nice to tease their fellow students..."

"But they're still doing it," Frankie stressed. "Hannah's come home in tears because of this."

Miss Grayson raised an eyebrow. "Really? I wasn't aware..."

"Perhaps it's at recess," Frankie said "Or after school is out. But it's upsetting her very much. And it upsets me that a parent would discuss this in front of a child."

"Me too," Miss Grayson said. "Perhaps I could send a letter home to the students' parents..."

"If you think that would help..." Frankie said. "Or I could meet with them..."

"With all due respect Mrs. Barron, I think that would only add fuel to the fire," Miss Grayson said.

Will put a hand on Frankie's arm. "I think a letter would be nice," he said. "We want Hannah to get an education without her dreading coming to school."

"Well, if you could just let me know who the little instigators are," Frankie suggested. "I could have a nice chat with their parents."

"Let me try sending a letter first," Miss Grayson diverted her. "And if that doesn't work, we can hold a meeting with the parents involved here at the school."

"But, you could give me a name or two and I could just talk to them," Frankie said, not noticing that her fists were clenching.

"Frankie, she can't," Will said, his tone even.

"You know, I wouldn't tell anyone," Frankie said.

"I'm sorry Mrs. Barron," Miss Grayson said firmly. "I'm not at liberty to name names. But I will help you. Hannah's a wonderful little girl and I'm sorry I didn't see that the others were still teasing her."

Frankie sighed. "I just don't like seeing my little girl suffer."

"None of us do," Will reasoned. "But we can't put Miss Grayson in an awkward position either."

"Thank you, Mr. Barron," Miss Grayson said.

Frankie agreed, albeit reluctantly. "We'll wait to hear back from you."

Miss Grayson nodded and promised to keep them posted if she heard or saw anything else. Frankie and Will said goodbye and headed for the library where they had left Hannah.

"We better hurry," Frankie said. "I want to get to the hospital."

Hannah looked up from her book when she saw her parents. Will picked her up. "How's my girl?"

"Fine," Hannah said. "What did Miss Grayson say?"

"She said that she would let us know if she hears anything," Will said. "And you tell her if anyone teases you again."

"Okay," Hannah nodded.

"We're going to the hospital," Frankie told her. "And either your Daddy or me will pick you up this afternoon, okay?"

"All right," Hannah agreed.

Will kissed her cheek. "Have a good day at school, Hannah."

"I will," Hannah smiled at her parents.

Frankie hugged her daughter. "You just let me know the instant one of those little buggers---" Will put a hand on his wife's arm. "Frankie."

"Kids... bothers you." Frankie finished. "I won't let them tease you about this."

"Okay, Mummy," Hannah said.

"We'll see you later," Frankie promised.

"Give Grandpa a hug for me," Hannah said.

"I will, love." Frankie kissed her cheek.

Will mussed his daughter's hair. "Good luck on your spelling test."

"I know all my words," Hannah said.

Will grinned at her and then took Frankie's hand, leading her out of the library.

Frankie waited until they'd left the school before she groaned loudly. "Why wouldn't she give me names?"

"Maybe because she had visions of you interrogating those kids and it scared her," Will said dryly.

"I wouldn't do anything to the kids," Frankie said. "It's the parents."

Will put his arm around her. "Easy, Mama Bear."

"The thought of anyone saying anything mean to her just pisses me off," Frankie said.

"Me too," Will said. "But this will blow over. David Wright is not her father. I am. "

"Right," Frankie smiled up at him. "You're an amazing father."

Will grinned back at her. "And you are an amazing mother."

Frankie gave him a kiss. "Come on."

They arrived at St. Mungos to find Neville pacing in the waiting room. Chiaki and Cho were sitting on one of the sofas. Allison had not been able to come due to her bed rest, but they had all promised to let her know the moment they knew anything.

"What's going on?" Frankie asked.

"Gran didn't have a very good night last night," Chiaki told her. "She was up wandering the halls."

"Oh no," Frankie said in dismay.

"They're still going to do the spell, but they're trying to calm her down," Chiaki said.

Frankie looked at her father. "How are you doing?"

"Okay," Neville said giving her a hug.

"We got here as quickly as we could." Frankie told him.

"I'm glad," Neville said just as the healer came into the waiting room. Neville turned. "How is she?"

"Calmed down," he reported. "We're finally able to begin the spell."

Neville sighed in relief. "Really?"

The healer nodded. "We'll let you know what's going on soon."

Neville nodded. "Thank you."

"It may take awhile," the healer said.

Neville nodded again. He was not going anywhere. He did not care how long it took.

"Thank you," Cho came up to her husband's side. "We'll be waiting."

"I'll just ring Allie and let her know," Chiaki said.

"Thanks," Neville said gratefully.

Neville sat back down on the sofa and put his head in his hands.

"Come on Dad..." Frankie said. "You know there's a good chance this will work."

Neville looked up. "I know. It's just the not knowing..."

Frankie nodded. "But we won't leave until we know what happens."

"Thanks, Frankie," Neville said squeezing her hand.

"Coffee anyone?" Chiaki asked. "I'll run downstairs and grab some."

"That'd be great,' Cho said gratefully.

"Thanks," Neville nodded. "I could use something."

Chiaki gave her father a hug and headed out of the waiting room. Neville looked over at his youngest daughter. "How--how was your meeting with Hannah's teacher?"

Frankie shrugged. "She's going to send a note home to the parents of the children teasing her and if that doesn't work, then it's MY turn."

"Down, girl," Will said shaking his head. "Frankie, tried to strong arm the teacher into giving her the names of the students."

"What's wrong with that?" Frankie asked. "Some parent gave their 'student' the name of Hannah's birth father and they saw it fit to torment her over it."

"Kids can be so cruel," Cho commented.

"They aren't going to be cruel to my daughter anymore," Frankie said determinedly.

Neville smiled. "She's lucky to have you, sweetheart."

"She's my girl," Frankie replied.

Will put his arm around her and Frankie rested her head on his shoulder. "We'll be able to give Hannah some good news today. I just know it. She's going to meet her great-grandparents. For real."

"I hope so," Frankie said fervently. "We should be able to be a real family again, like everyone else."

Neville leaned back in his chair, imagining all the different things that could be happening right now in his parents' room. He just hoped that they weren't suffering.

"I wonder if they'll let me look in on them..." Neville said. "I can't sit around and just wait."

"Neville, are you sure that's a good idea?" Cho asked, but Neville had already walked out of the waiting room.

"Excuse me," Neville said. "I would like an update on Frank and Alice Longbottom please."

The busy receptionist looked at him. "And you are?"

"Their son," Neville said, his tone a bit sharp.

"One moment," the receptionist said.

Neville drummed his fingers on the counter.

The woman did not seem to care one way or the other. Neville decided to take matters into his own hands and pushed past the double doors.

"Wait a minute!" he heard her call. "You can't go back there!"

Neville ignored her and strode purposely toward his parents' room.

He was about to push open the door when a hand on his arm stopped him.

"WHAT?" Neville roared.

"You can't go in there," Will told him. "Come on Neville. The healer will update you. I've read about what this spell entails, and it's a lot of things that need concentration."

Neville thought about this and as much as it pained him to admit it, Will was right.

"Come on," Will said again. "Cho's really worried about you."

Neville looked at the door once more before following his son-in-law.

"Dad where did you go?" Chiaki was just coming in with coffee cups and some muffins.

"Just to get some air," Neville replied.

"Here you go," Chiaki handed him a cup. "Just the way you like it."

Neville forced a smile. "Thanks, love."

Cho patted the sofa next to her. "Come on and sit down, Neville. Pacing and worrying isn't going to make this work any faster."

Neville took a seat. "Right."

Cho rubbed his shoulders soothingly. "I know it's not what you want to hear right now... but just relax."

"Yeah," Chiaki said. "Use some of those Auror relaxation techniques."

Neville smiled despite himself. "Aurors never relax."

Chiaki handed him a muffin. "Pretend then."

"I'll try," he said.

Two hours later and there was still no news. Chiaki had fallen asleep and Frankie was on the verge of joining her sister.

"Damn it," Neville said angrily. "What the hell is going on!"

"I'll go and ask," Cho said patting his hand.

"No, I'll go." Neville said shortly.

But, he did not have to go far. Just as he was making his way for the door, the healer came out. His expression was completely unreadable. Toshio nudged Chiaki.

"Well?" Neville asked. "What's going on?"

"Come with me, Mr. Longbottom," the healer said.

Neville followed him impatiently out of the room. "Did it work?"

314. Chapter 314

Authors' note: Tonight's chapter resolves last week's "evil" cliff-hanger. We hope that you will take a moment after you read to review the chapter and let us know what you think. We just would like to remind everyone that we do thrive on your comments and feedback. It helps us and when we see the amount of reviews we get, it really does help our enthusiasm to keep this story going. We spend a large amount of free time writing this story for you guys and are just asking for a few minutes in return for a comment or two.

Neville followed him impatiently out of the room. "Did it work?"

The healer looked at him. "I think you need to see for yourself."

Without a moment's hesitation, Neville pushed past him and into his parents' room.

His father was sitting with his back to the door while Alice was in her bed, seemingly asleep. Neville felt sick thinking that the worst had happened. His father slowly turned around. "Neville?"

Neville sucked in a sharp breath. "Dad..."

Frank slowly got to his feet and walked over to his son. "Neville---"

"You... you're okay..." Neville stared at him.

Frank put his arms around Neville and hugged him tightly. "My boy. My boy..."

Cho stood in the doorway, tears streaming down her face at the sight in front of her.

"Dad," Neville managed.

"It feels like it's been a long time, Neville." Frank said.

"Too long," Neville said looking at his father. He could not believe this was actually happening.

"Your mother..." Frank said. "She's tired."

"Did it work?" Neville asked. "For her?"

"What?" Frank asked. "I don't understand what's going on here..."

"How much do you remember, Dad?" Neville asked.

Frank just shook his head. "I just feel as if... I've been asleep a very long time."

"In a way you have been," Neville said, motioning for Chiaki, Frankie and Cho to come inside.

"Who are they?" Frank asked looking uncertainly at the three women.

"This is my wife, Cho." Neville said. "And two of my daughters, Chiaki and Frankie. Frankie's named after you, and Allison, my other daughter, is named after mum."

Frank shook his head. This was all just a little too much for him. The last thing he really remembered was saying goodbye to his son before heading off on a mission. Neville had been a baby then and now---he was a father.

"Dad?" Neville asked. "Are you all right?"

"Grandpa?" Chiaki asked stepping forward. "I know this must be a bit much..."

Frank looked at her hesitantly.

"I know you don't remember much, but I was here so many times," Neville said. "Gran brought me on my holidays from school..."

Frank looked at his son at the mention of his mother. "Where is she? My mother?"

"Um..." Neville said. "Gran died several years ago, Dad. I'm sorry."

Frank shook his head. "No---"

"I'm really sorry," Neville said. "Come on, let's sit down a minute. There's a lot to take in." it was hard for him to control his own excitement, but he knew he had to keep it back for his parents' sake.

Frank nodded and sat down on the edge of his bed.

"She lived a good, long life." Neville told his father. "She saw me become an Auror, and saw her great granddaughters grow up as well."

Frank looked at his son with pride. "You're--you're an Auror?"

Neville nodded. "I work with James and Lily Potter's son, Harry."

Frank put his arms around his son and hugged him once more.

"I'm so glad to have you back," Neville said, his throat tightening up.

"Me too," Frank agreed. "F-Frank," a voice called from the bed across the room. Chiaki and Frankie turned to see Alice Longbottom struggling to sit up.

Frank immediately rose and went to his wife's side.

"Alice," Frank said helping her sit up. "I'm here."

"What's going on?" Alice asked.

Frank was a little unsure of how to explain this since he was still trying to come to terms with it himself. Alice looked uncertainly at the other people in the room. There were two men---one dressed in healer robes and the other reminded her of her husband, except he was much younger. The three women were quite beautiful and looked as if they'd been crying.

"This is---this is Neville," Frank said motioning to their son. Alice shook her head. "Frank, Neville's just a baby. That's not our Neville..."

"Yes it is," Frank said. "We've... well... we've been sleeping for a long, long time."

"Mum, it's me," Neville said slowly stepping closer.

Alice just stared at him.

"It's true," Frank said. "This is Neville. He's a grown man and he has children of his own."

Alice looked past him at the women. "I... I don't know what to say..."

"You don't have to say anything," Neville reassured her. "We have time---"

"We do now," Frank said, nodding.

Neville introduced his wife and two daughters to Alice.

"It's so lovely to finally sit down with you both like this," Cho said, approaching the bed carefully.

Alice started to cry and Frankie handed her a tissue.

"Thank you," Alice sniffled gazing up at her with some interest.

"You have a beautiful family, son," Frank said.

"Thanks, Dad." Neville said proudly. "I can't wait for you both to meet Allison. She's on bed rest because of her pregnancy."

"You're a grandfather?" Alice asked her eyes large.

Neville nodded. "Of nine, actually. Well... it will be nine once Allie has her baby."

Frankie reached for a frame beside Alice's bed. "These are my three---the oldest is Hannah and those are my twins, Nathan and Isabelle."

"They're beautiful," Alice said softly.

"And these," Chiaki said holding up the frame of her children. "Are my twins, Mas and Sukie."

"And those are Allie's," Cho pointed to the third frame. "Wait until you meet little Emma. She's quite the character."

Alice started to cry again and Frank put his arm around her.

"Mum?" Neville asked anxiously.

"This is all a bit much for us," Frank tried to explain. "We have an entire family that we don't even know."

"I understand," Neville said. "Perhaps we have to handle this in smaller doses."

Frank nodded and then turned his attention back to his wife. He stroked her hair and held her close.

"It'll be okay, Alice." he said to her. "We'll be okay now."

Frankie leaned against her sister. She was so happy that her grandparents were okay, but she could not imagine what this must be like for them.

"Girls," Cho said. "Let's let your father be with his parents for now. We can catch up later."

Chiaki nodded. "Of course."

"We'll stop back by later," Cho said to her husband. "You stay. Get to know them."

Neville gave his wife a kiss and hugged her tightly. "Thanks."

"I'm so happy," Cho smiled at him. "This is so wonderful, Neville."

"It is," Neville agreed happily.

Cho gave him another kiss. "I'll see you later."

Chiaki and Frankie said their goodbyes as well and followed the healer out of the room. Neville was alone with his parents and sat down in the chair beside his mother's bed. "Bellatrix Lestrange...she was the one that hit you both with the Cruciatus."

Frank frowned. "I remember her..."

"You've been in here ever since," Neville continued. "I came and visited you all the time."

"How many years has it been?" Alice asked.

Neville looked down. "I was just a year old when you were hit with that curse. It's been many years, Mum."

"We've missed so much," Alice said in dismay.

"You have, but we'll make up for it," Neville tried to reassure her. "We have loads of photographs and I can tell you everything you want to know."

"I'm looking forward to it," Frank said.

"Me too," Neville said. "And you are going to love your great-grandchildren."

"I'm sure we will," Frank agreed. "This just... really is taking some getting used to. It's all quite a shock."

Neville nodded. "I can't even imagine, Dad."

"You're so handsome," Alice said. "So much like your father."

Neville smiled. "Thanks, Mum."

Alice reached out for her son.

Neville hugged her. He swallowed the lump in his throat.

"I'm so happy," Alice said. "So very, very happy."

"Really?" Neville asked.

"Oh yes," Alice nodded. "I feel as if I've missed you, Neville."

Neville looked at her. "I've always been here, Mum."

"But we haven't," Alice said softly.

Neville shook his head. "That wasn't your fault, Mum. It was Bellatrix Lestrange's fault and she paid for it."

"What happened to her?" Frank asked.

Neville looked away not sure he should share this with his parents, especially his mother. Alice put her hand on his shoulder. "I was an Auror, too, Neville," Alice said. "You don't have to sugar-coat anything for me."

"She was caught... awhile back before I even became an Auror," Neville began.

"Is she still alive?" Frank asked.

"She's in Azkaban," Neville said. "Under the highest watch."

Alice sighed in relief. "Good."

Frank nodded thoughtfully. "It's nothing less than she deserves."

"For so long, all I wanted to do was find her and make her pay," Neville admitted.

"You don't have to worry about that now," Alice squeezed his hand.

Neville smiled. "You sound like Cho. That's what she told me."

"She's a lovely woman," Frank told his son. "And your daughters are very beautiful."

"They are, aren't they?" Neville asked proudly.

"It may take me a little time, but I want to get to know them," Alice said. "All of them."

"They want that too," Neville reassured her. "We were all here last night."

"Just give us time to get over this," Frank told his son.

"You've got it, Dad," Neville promised.

"Do we have to stay here?" Alice asked.

"I have to check with the healers, but I don't think you'd have to stay here more than a couple of days," Neville said. "Cho and I have more than enough room at our house."

"That sounds good," Frank replied.

Alice reached up and touched her son's cheek. "You're all grown up."

"Yeah," Neville admitted.

"I want to know everything I missed," Alice said softly. "Everything."

"I'll fill you in," Neville promised.

Neville hugged both his parents once more. He could not get over this. He had them both back---just as he had always hoped.

The healer came back into the room, obviously pleased at the results they had gotten. "We'll need to run a few tests to make sure the spell will sustain," he said. "But I see no reason, as long as everything is still good tomorrow, that you can't leave in the afternoon."

Neville grinned. "Really?"

The healer nodded. "Congratulations."

"Thank you," Neville said gratefully. "Thank you so very much."

Alice yawned again. "I'm sorry. I'm so sleepy..."

"You should both get some rest," Neville said with a grin. "Tomorrow, you're getting out of here!"

Frank smiled. "That sounds good to me."

"And I have a house to get ready," Neville said. "So I'll leave you both to your rest, but I'll be back later tonight."

Frank got up and hugged his son again. "Thank you, Neville."

"I love you, Dad," Neville said.

"We love you too," Alice replied.

Neville had waited all of his life to hear his parents say that.

"I'll see you both later," Neville said. "I... I can't wait. I can't wait for everything."

Alice wiped a tear from her cheek, but she was smiling.

"See you both later," Neville said again, almost stumbling as he backed out of their room.

He felt a little like he was in the middle of a dream. His parents were fine---they were just like he had always imagined they would be. He knew that they had a long road ahead of them, but he would do whatever he could to make this transition easy for them.

He headed home to make sure the spare bedroom was cleaned up. He hoped Cho would be there.

"Cho!" Neville called out.

Cho appeared in the kitchen doorway. "Neville! Tell me everything... I hated to leave, but I know you wanted time alone with your parents--"

Neville picked up his wife and spun her around. "They're coming home!"

Cho laughed. "They are?"

Neville nodded and set her back down. "I said they could stay here. That's okay, right?"

"Of course it is," Cho agreed. "As long as they need."

Neville gave her a kiss. "Thank you."

"I'm so happy," Cho hugged him tightly.

"Me too," Neville said happily.

"We have a lot to do," Cho said. "I'll work on the spare bedroom."

"And I'll need to go to the shops and get some food," Neville said.

"When do they come home?" Cho asked.

"Tomorrow," Neville replied.

"How wonderful," Cho said. "When they're ready, we'll start having guests over for dinner."

Neville nodded. He told his wife about how upset his parents had been about the time they'd missed. "I think we just need to take things slow and go at their pace."

"Absolutely," Cho agreed, hugging him again.

"I was so worried," he admitted. "That I was doing the wrong thing..."

"But it paid off," Cho said. "You have your parents back. They KNOW you, Neville."

Neville grinned. "I feel like the last piece of the puzzle has finally fallen into place. I have a great wife, great children, wonderful grandchildren and now---I have my parents."

Cho kissed him again. "You're on top of the world," she teased.

"Pretty much," Neville grinned. "Come on. We have loads of things to do."

"Right," Cho said. "Let's go to the shops together."

"And then I was thinking we could bring my parents dinner?" Neville asked. "Pick something up at one of the pubs. I think they'd like that."

"I think they would too," Cho agreed, putting on her cloak.

Neville took his wife's hand and together they set off to prepare for this parents' homecoming. Something, Neville thought, that was long overdue.

*** *** ***

Darla had not seen much of Liam in the last few weeks. She knew that he was busy with his mother and she did not want to interfere. But, she was also wondering if he was thinking about how they had left things.

She wasn't ready for a relationship until her divorce was final, but she did have feelings for Liam. How could she not? He was smart, funny, kind and handsome and he had been there for her when she had needed him.

She had to bring Rafe in for a check up and was concerned that he seemed to be suffering from an ear infection and cold.

Darla pushed the pram into Liam and Lizzy's office and smiled warmly at the receptionist. "Good morning, Melinda."

"Good morning," Melinda replied. "And hello to you, handsome boy." she smiled at Rafe.

Darla lifted him gingerly from the pram. "He's not feeling too good today, I'm afraid."

"What a shame," Melinda said. "Healer Thornhart isn't here yet, but he should be shortly."

Darla looked at her in surprise. "Oh. Everything okay?"

"I'm not sure," Melinda answered. "He sent an owl in saying he'd be a little late. Something came up at home."

Darla nodded, wondering if everything was okay with his mother and Conor.

"Have a seat," Melinda said. "I'm sure if Healer Weasley has a moment, she can see you if he doesn't turn up soon."

Darla took a seat on one of the sofas and hugged Rafe to her. He rested his head on her shoulder and Darla patted his back.

"I know baby," she said when he let out a little choked sob.

"Liam will know what to do," Darla said softly.

"Ma..." Rafe said weakly.

Darla kissed the top of his head. "You'll be better soon, sweetheart. Mummy promises."

It was another half hour before Melinda finally called her back. "He's just arrived," she said.

Darla smiled and stood up with Rafe. "Come on, little guy."

Rafe puckered up his mouth as Darla shifted him in her arms.

Darla carried him to the examination room and smiled when she saw Liam. "Good morning," she said, feeling the familiar butterflies in her stomach when she looked at him.

"Hi," he said, studying Rafe's chart.

"He's had the sniffles since last night," Darla told him. "And I think he has another ear infection. He keeps reaching for his left ear..."

"I'll check it out," Liam said, still not looking over at her. "Just set him down over here."

Darla did as he asked and studied him. Something was definitely wrong. "Liam?"

"Hmm?" he asked.

"How--how are you?" Darla asked. "It's been awhile."

"It's been a busy few weeks," Liam replied.

Darla nodded. "For me too. Drew and I are working hard on Saffy's wedding."

"I saw some articles in the paper about it," Liam replied, peering into Rafe's eyes and then into his ear.

"How are things with your mum and Conor?" Darla asked.

Liam shrugged.

"Not so good?" Darla guessed.

"She left," he said.

Darla looked at him. "What?"

Liam sighed. "My father came and got her today."

Darla gaped at him. "And she left with him?

"Yeah," Liam said shortly.

Darla shook her head. "Liam--I'm so sorry."

"Nothing you could do about it," he said, checking Rafe's other ear.

Darla was at a loss as to what to say. She knew this was what Liam had feared most.

"He's definitely got an ear infection," Liam said. "I'll give you a potion; he'll need to take it twice a day."

Darla nodded. "Okay."

"I'll mix it up for you," Liam said. "He'll only need it for a few days. Then his earache will be gone."

Darla reached for her son's hand and gave it a reassuring squeeze. "He certainly likes that."

Liam nodded. "Won't be a minute."

Darla picked her son up and hugged him to her.

Without another look at her, Liam went to the corner and began mixing various ingredients.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Darla asked.

He was silent for a long, awkward moment. "There's nothing to talk about."

"Well, if you do want to talk, I'm here," Darla said softly.

"There’s nothing to say," he handed her the potion.

"Liam," Darla said softly.

"Just leave it," Liam told her. "You wouldn't know what it feels like, Darla."

"Well no," Darla admitted. "But, I'm your friend and I know how much it meant for you that your mother took that step and walked away from your dad."

"Yeah, well she walked right back to him," Liam replied.

"I'm so sorry," Darla replied.

Liam nodded. "If that potion doesn't work, bring Rafe back."

"Okay," Darla said. "Listen, I--"

"I'm sorry, I don't have time to talk," Liam replied. "I'm running late and I have other patients waiting."

"Of course," Darla said, hurt at the short, clipped tone he was using with her.

"Keep me posted on Rafe's ear," he said before hurrying out of the room.

"Sure," Darla said staring after him.

Rafe let out a little cry, jolting Darla out of her daze.

"Let's get you home," Darla said smiling down at him. "And give you this potion."

She packed up her son and quickly left the office. Liam's behaviour was on her mind as she walked home. He'd never been so cold to her, not ever.

She tried to tell herself that he was acting that way because he was upset over his mother.

It did not give him any reason to take it out on her, however. Perhaps after a few days he would calm down and they could talk like rational adults.

They were friends and she had cried on his shoulder a number of times. It was only right that she return the favour.

She let herself back into the house and set about giving Rafe the potion. His little face screwed up at the taste, but he took it.

Darla smiled. "It will make you feel all better. I promise."

"Ma," Rafe said, gazing up at her.

Darla grinned. "You know just what to say to make me feel better, don't you?"

She heard a commotion from the sitting room and hoped against hope that perhaps Liam had come to his senses.

Darla picked up Rafe and hurried into the room. Her face fell when she saw who it was. "Hans-"

"Hi," he grinned at her, not noticing her expression.

"What are you doing here?" Darla asked.

"It's my weekend with Rafe," he said. "You forgot...

"He's sick," Darla replied. "He has a cold and an ear infection."

"Hey buddy," Hans said to Rafe. "What's the matter, eh?"

Rafe sniffed and put his little hand up to his ear.

"We just got back from seeing Liam," Darla said. "Got him a potion. I just gave him a dose.

Hans took Rafe from Darla. Darla was surprised. "You're not afraid you might catch it?"

"I don’t' care," Hans replied, giving his son a kiss on the forehead.

Darla watched him. "I don't know if it's such a good idea for him to go with you when he's sick like this. I have a potion that I'm supposed to give him...”

"Maybe you're right," Hans said. "Perhaps I'll just take a hotel room here so I can be around this weekend."

Darla shook her head. "You can stay here, if you'd like."

Hans sent her an irresistible grin. "You wouldn't mind?"

"Well, it is your weekend," Darla said.

"It'll be nice to spend it with you too," he said meaningfully.

Darla folded her arms. "Hans--"

"I mean it," Hans said. "I've made some bad mistakes."

Darla did not want to deal with this now. "Do you want a cup of tea?"

"Sure," Hans said, patting Rafe's back.

Darla turned and walked back into the kitchen. Hans' appearance and his change in attitude were only making things more complicated.

He followed her in. "What else is going on?"

"Drew and I are planning Saffy and Andrew's wedding," Darla said putting the kettle on.

"Right," Hans nodded. "Wedding of the Century, I believe they called it. This has to be good for business."

Darla smiled. "Yeah, but it's not just that. It's Saffy. I mean, we've known her since she was a baby."

Hans nodded. "And that baby of theirs is cute."

"You should see her in person," Darla said.

"Perhaps soon I will," Hans replied.

"So," Darla said leaning against the counter. "How are things in New York?"

"All right," Hans replied. "Things are slowing down a little for me."

"Oh?" Darla asked.

"The life of a model, I guess," Hans shrugged. "One day I'm hot..."

"They moved on to the next big thing?" Darla asked.

"So to speak," Hans nodded. "I’m still getting work, but not like I was a few months ago."

"You've made that company a lot of money," Darla said.

"Sure have," Hans nodded, bouncing Rafe gently in his arms.

"Ma," Rafe said looking up at Hans.

"Hey," Hans said with a grin. "When did he start talking?"

Darla smiled. "He said it the other day for the first time."

"Guess I better start coaching him," Hans laughed. "That's a smart little guy."

"It's only fair he says my name first," Darla teased. "I was the one who had him."

Hans laughed again. "I suppose you have a point there."

Darla carried the tray over to the table.

"Thanks," Hans said as his hand brushed against hers.

Darla blushed. "Um, no problem."

"You look great, you know." Hans complimented her.

Darla sat down at the table and smiled at him. "Thanks."

"You know I was thinking..." he said. "Now that things are slowing down... I might move back here."

"What?" Darla asked taken aback.

"I was thinking of moving back here," Hans replied.

For so long that was what Darla had wanted him to say, but now that he was actually saying it, she was not sure how to feel about that. She would be happy for Rafe, of course.

"I just... I've realised that I've been selfish," Hans said. "We should have worked harder at our marriage- and I should have never gone along with that thing at the beginning- about saying I was single."

Darla nodded wordlessly. She wondered where all of this was coming from.

"I know it may be too late, but I'm just hoping you might want to give me a second chance." Hans said.

Darla looked down. "Hans--"

"It may take awhile I know..." Hans said. "But this time, I think we can make it."

"It's not that simple," Darla told him.

"Are you seeing someone?" Hans asked. "That healer?"

Darla did not feel comfortable discussing her relationship with Liam with her soon-to-be ex. "Liam and I are friends, Hans."

Hans nodded. "I know... I understand."

"Why don't we just try being friends again?" Darla asked.

"I'm okay with that," Hans agreed. "But I won't give up on you, Dar."

While Darla and Hans chatted, Liam Thornhart was trying very hard to concentrate on his patients. He felt horrible for what had happened this morning with his parents and even worse for how he had treated Darla.

He was extremely upset over what had transpired the previous evening and then this morning. His mother had told him last night his father had sent her a letter telling her to come home. He'd spent most of the evening convincing her not to, only to have his father show up that morning, completely pissed.

"Dad, she's not going with you," Liam had said firmly. "Go back home."

"You stay out of this William," his father had said, swaying as he tried to steady himself.

"Thomas, please," Fiona said, trying to support her husband. "Calm down."

"You better get your things," Thomas slurred. "I'm not leaving here without you."

Liam looked at his mother. "Tell him, Mum."

"Perhaps it's better if I go," Fiona said weakly.

Liam shook his head. "No. Mum. Come on! Look at him!"

"He needs me to take care of him," Fiona replied.

Thomas slumped down into a chair. "Yes---”

Liam sighed. "Mum... we talked about this. You don't need to go back to him. This will all just happen again."

Fiona put her hand on his shoulder. "I know, but he's---he's helpless without me. I can just imagine what the house must look like."

Liam shook his head in disgust.

"Hurry up, Fee!" Thomas shouted. "Woman's place is with---with her husband!"

"I'm coming," Fiona hurried to get her things.

Liam folded his arms and glared at his father. "She was doing fine, you know? Fine without you."

"Watch yourself, William," Thomas warned.

"I'm not a little kid anymore," Liam said. "I'm not scared of you anymore."

Thomas stumbled out of the chair. "You watch your mouth," he snapped. "You're not a kid, but I can still--"

"Hit me?" Liam asked angrily. "Go ahead."

Thomas drew his arm back and was about to deck him when Fiona appeared. "Thomas! William!"

Liam looked over at his mother. "This is what you want to go back to?"

"He's my husband and your father," Fiona said. "You should have some more respect for him."

Liam could only shake his head. He was supposed to have respect for someone who drank himself to oblivion every day? Respect for someone who had abused him, his brother and his mother?

"Come on," Thomas grabbed Fiona by the upper arm.

Liam looked at his mother. "Don't. Do. This."

"I'll be in touch," Fiona said to her son.

Liam turned his attention to his father. "You lay one finger on her, I'll kill you."

"I'm scared," Thomas sneered at him.

"You sure as hell should be," Liam warned.

Thomas looked as if he wanted to deck him again as Fiona dragged him out of the house.

Looking back on it now, Liam wished he had hit his father. He wondered how Thomas would have liked it if he'd been on the receiving end.

"Liam," Lizzy waved a hand in front of his face. "Where are you?"

Liam returned his attention to his colleague. "Liz. Sorry, what were you saying?"

"We need to decide if we want to keep on taking new patients," Lizzy said. "This practice is booking up fast."

"Right," Liam said nodding.

"I don't want to neglect our current patients," Lizzy told him.

"No," Liam said. "Perhaps we should just accept new patients on a case by case basis."

"I like that idea," Lizzy nodded.

Liam leaned back in his chair. "Everything okay?" Lizzy asked.

"No," he shook his head.

Lizzy had seen Darla leave looking upset. "Do you want to take the rest of the afternoon off?"

Liam shook his head. "I need to work."

"Well, if you need to talk about it or if you do need to leave just let me know," Lizzy said.

"I will," Liam nodded.

Liam stood up and made himself another cup of coffee. He appreciated Lizzy's concern, but all he wanted to do was throw himself into his work. He could keep his mind off of what was going on with his parents.

He could also keep his mind off how he had behaved towards Darla that morning. He knew how concerned she was, but right now, he didn't know if he could deal with being around her.

His feelings for her were as strong as ever, but he could not deal with one other thing in his life going wrong right now.

He grabbed a few charts to read up on while he waited for his next patient to come in.

"How was my nephew?" Lizzy asked. "Rafe was here with Darla, right?"

"Yeah," Liam said. "He's got an ear infection and a slight cold, but he'll be okay in a few days. I gave Darla a potion to use."

"Poor little guy," Lizzy said.

"He didn't seem too happy," Liam commented, scratching a few comments on a chart.

"I can imagine," Lizzy said. "Try having three children going through it all at the same time."

Liam shook his head but he smiled.

Lizzy patted him on the shoulder. "I'll be around if you need to talk."

"Thanks," Liam told her. "I appreciate it. I'll be all right."

Lizzy left him alone in the office and Liam hoped his words were true.

He thought again about Darla but pushed her face out of his mind. Once he got through this whole thing with his parents, he'd go talk to her again, and work everything out.

Back at Darla's, Hans was waiting for Darla in the kitchen. She had taken Rafe upstairs to the nursery for his kip. He heard a sound coming from the sitting room and frowned when he saw Drew. She wore an identical expression. "Oh---it's you," Drew said disdainfully.

"Hello Drew," Hans said politely. "It's... it's nice to see you."

"What are you doing here?" Drew asked.

"It's my weekend with Rafe," Hans replied. "But since he's sick, I'm staying here."

"Here in London?" Drew asked.

Hans nodded.

"Well, perhaps you should go to your hotel then," Drew said folding her arms.

"I'm staying here," Hans said, crossing his own arms. "Darla invited me to."

Drew's jaw dropped. Had her sister gone insane?

"Look I know you hate me," Hans told her. "I've done some stupid things. But I wised up. I'm not about to let Darla and Rafe go."

"Oh, how good of you to have this revelation," Drew said sarcastically. "Too bad you couldn't have had it before you cheated on my sister."

"All I did was kiss Katya," he said. "I know it was wrong, but that was all that ever happened."

Darla came into the room. "I put him down---Drew!"

"Hi," Drew replied, still glaring at Hans.

"How did the meeting go with the caterer?" Darla asked, trying to ease the tension.

"Just fine," Drew replied. "Everything is on schedule."

"Good," Darla nodded. "Um, Hans and I were just having tea. Would you like a cup?"

"I suppose," Drew replied.

"I'm just going to check my messages," Hans said. "I'll be right back."

"What is he doing here?" Drew demanded soon as he'd left. "Dar..."

"Drew, it's his weekend with Rafe, but since he's sick, I thought it best he stay here with me," Darla explained. "In the guest room."

Drew shook her head.

"Nothing is going to happen," Darla told her. "It's completely platonic. And please do not lecture me now, okay? I've had a tough enough day as it is."

"Why?" Drew asked.

Darla sighed. "Liam."

"What's wrong with him?" Drew was confused. "I thought you two--"

Darla did not want to go into the details since she had promised Liam she would not tell a soul. "He's having some issues with his family and I don't know, I just feel like he's pushing me away. He was really cold and distant to me when I saw him at the office this morning."

Drew's disapproving expression disappeared. "I’m sorry, Dar."

"I want to help him, but I don't think he wants my help," Darla said.

"I suppose all you can do is sit back and wait," Drew said thoughtfully. "Hopefully he won't push you away."

"I hope not," Darla said. "He's---he grew up depending on himself, you know? I guess he's just not used to leaning on someone."

"I don't think he'll pull away from you," Drew said. "You both have feelings for each other..."

"But that's not all," Darla said. "Hans---Hans is thinking of moving back here. He said he wanted to give us another chance."

"And you believe him?" Drew asked.

Darla shrugged. "I don't know, Drew. He seems sincere."

"Hmm..." Drew was unconvinced.

"He's Rafe's father," Darla pointed out.

"He has been a good father," Drew admitted.

Darla laughed. "Watch out. You just complimented Hans.'

"Don't tell him," Drew had to smile.

"It'll be our little secret," Darla said giving her sister a hug.

"Chloe was asking when Rafe could come over and play," Drew told her.

"As soon as he's better," Darla replied as Hans came back into the kitchen.

"Sorry about that," he said.

"It's okay," Darla reassured him. "Freddy's okay with you staying here on the weekend?"

"He's fine," Hans replied, casting a wary eye at Drew.

Darla handed her sister a cup of tea. "I was just telling Drew about how you were thinking of moving back here," Darla told Hans.

"Yeah," Hans replied. "There's more here for me."

"I suppose I'll believe it when I see it," Drew said quietly.

"It's Darla I have to convince," Hans said directly.

Darla looked over at him. "Hans..."

"I'm not holding back," Hans told her.

Drew resisted the urge to roll her eyes.

"I just have a lot to think about," Darla said to her husband. "We both do, Hans."

"I can wait," Hans told her.

"You'd better figure everything out," Darla said. "Whatever happens Hans... I'm not waiting. I have to go on with my life, one way or another. For Rafe, not just for myself."

Hans nodded. "I won't disappoint you again, Darla."

"I should go," Drew replied. "I just stopped by to tell you about the caterer. We have another meeting with Saffron next week. Her dress will be ready."

Darla smiled. "I cannot wait to see her."

"She's going to be gorgeous," Drew agreed. "I'll see you later."

"Bye, Drew," Darla said.

"Take care," Hans said.

Drew gave them one last look before leaving. Hans looked at his wife. "How about I make dinner?"

"You cook?" Darla asked. "Since when?"

"Since I've been living on my own," Hans said with a grin.

"All right," she said.

"You can just sit back and take it easy," Hans told her.

"I don't mind helping," Darla replied.

Hans shook his head. "No. I want to do this for you."

She smiled at him. "Thank you. This will be quite nice."

Hans grinned. "Just wait until you taste it."

"What are you going to make?" Darla asked, intrigued.

"Lemon chicken with pasta," Hans said. "You're going to love it."

"It does sound delicious," Darla said. "I can hardly wait."

She grabbed some folders from the kitchen table and settled down in the sitting room. If someone had told her that this was what she would be doing tonight, she would have laughed in their face.

Her thoughts returned to Liam. She hoped this was an isolated incident and the next time she saw him things could return to normal.

Darla reached for a spare piece of parchment. She just wanted to send him a letter to know she was thinking about him. "Dear Liam," she wrote. "I know that things are not turning out as you had planned, but you have to know you did everything you could. Your mother is lucky to have a son that cares about her as much as you do. I hope you know that you can always talk to me and I'll be here for you. All you have to do is ask. Take care of yourself, Darla."

She read it over again before sealing it and owling it to his office.

A few minutes later, Liam received the letter. He read it over and could not help the smile that played across his face. She was without a doubt the most caring person he had ever met.

He set the letter aside. He would work on a reply to her later.

He had two more patients to see before the day was over. The work had been a nice distraction.

"How's it going?" Lizzy asked.

"Fine," Liam replied. "I just have two more patients. You?"

"I'm done for the day," Lizzy replied. "Going to get some paperwork finished then I'm out of here."

"Have a good night, Lizzy," Liam told her.

"You too," Lizzy said. "And cheer up."

"I'll try my best," Liam said offering her a smile.

"See you tomorrow," Lizzy ducked into her office.

Liam nodded. He wondered what his mother was doing at this moment. Probably making his father dinner that he would just complain about before heading off to the pub for the evening.

He shook his head as the familiar feeling crept back over him. Whenever his father came back into his life it took him ages to stop feeling the effects.

Liam made a vow for what seemed like the hundredth time that if he ever had children, he would never, ever treat them the way his father had.

315. Chapter 315 It Has a Ring to It

Authors' note: Happy Halloween! This isn't a scary chapter at all, we promise! And a Happy Birthday goes out to my co-author, Heaven, as she celebrates her birthday! Please read and review !

With Easter holidays fast approaching, many Hogwarts students were thinking of their upcoming break and not their studies. Katie Malfoy wished she could be thinking of her holiday plans instead of working on her Potions assignment.

She was doing well in her classes, thanks in large part to her sister Ashley's help. In the last few weeks, Ashley had patiently helped her sister with her assignments and Katie was extremely grateful. This was the closest she could remember ever feeling to her sister, something that made their parents very happy.

It was lunch time now and while Katie would have loved to catch up on that day's gossip, she was trying very hard to finish her assignment before class.

"Linds, did you get the answer to number four?" Katie asked.

"Yeah," Lindsey said. "Wolfsbane."

Katie wrote the answer on her worksheet. "There. I'm all finished."

"I'm still on question seven," Lindsey sighed. "I hate Potions."

Katie toyed with the ring which she still wore on a chain around her neck. "You just don't like Professor Snape. He's actually not that bad. He just needs a little colour."

"Maybe you should invite him to Brighton," Lindsey said jokingly. "Let him lie on the beach for a day."

Katie giggled. "Linds, that's not a nice image! Ewww...."

"That is SO gross," Lindsey squealed. "Snape...on a beach...wearing a swimm---."


"Stop!" Katie interjected. "Or I'm going to be ill."

Lindsey giggled in response and Katie grinned. It was nice having her friend back, but she was going to keep her on a short leash.

Katie spotted her mother enter the Great Hall and sit down at the staff table. She looked at Lindsey. "Watch my stuff, okay? I want to tell Mum about how well I did in Charms today."

"Okay," Lindsey agreed.

Katie was beaming from ear to ear as she made her way across the Great Hall to her mother. Perhaps this news would earn her a shopping excursion to Paris over the break, Katie thought to herself. The idea of that reward made her so excited, she forgot to take her normal precaution of tucking her necklace inside her jumper.

"Mum!" Katie exclaimed as she approached the staff table.

Julie smiled at her daughter. "Good morning, Miss Malfoy."

Katie grinned. "I can't wait to tell you about Charms class today!"

"How did you do?" Julie asked.

"Full marks," Katie said proudly.

Julie grinned. "That's fantastic, sweetheart! I knew you could do it!"

"I couldn't have done it by myself," Katie admitted. "Ashley helped me a great deal. She should think about being a teacher herself, you know? She's so patient."

Julie was happy to see her daughters getting along and helping each other. There had been a time not so long ago that they had always been at each other's throats. "You've worked really hard, Katie and I'm sure your Dad will love--" Her voice trailed off as she looked at the necklace around her daughter's neck. "Katherine, what's that you have on there?"

Katie caught the ring in her hand. "Um... just a necklace."

"May I see it?" Julie asked.

"It's just a silly thing," Katie covered, tucking it into her jumper.

"If it's just a silly thing, why can't I see it?" Julie asked holding out her hand.

"Because it's mine," Katie replied.

Julie folded her arms. "Katherine Rose, let me see it. Now."

With a sinking feeling, Katie undid the chain around her neck and reluctantly handed it to her mother.

Julie saw that the charm hanging from the necklace was actually a ring; a ring with a rather large emerald in the centre. She knew this ring. "How---how did you get this?"

Katie shrugged.

Julie stood up. She did not want to have this conversation in front of the other staff members. She motioned for Katie to follow her.

She dragged her feet as Julie led her into the corridor. "What's the big deal?" she asked angrily. "It's just a ring!"

Julie held it up. "Katie, when your--" She was not going to call Draco Malfoy her children's grandfather. He had not earned that right. "When Nick's father gave you this ring, you heard what your Dad said, right? He said that you were not to have this ring."

"So?" Katie asked sullenly.

Julie sighed. "How did you get this? Did he send it to you?"

"Yes," Katie answered. "He sent it into my pocket before he left on Christmas Day."

Julie shook her head in disbelief. Her daughter had been carrying this around for weeks now. There was no telling what sort of spells he might have put on this.

"Why can't I have it?" Katie asked. "It's just a bloody ring and I LIKE it!"

"Katie, just let me take it to your father and we'll make sure it's not cursed or charmed," Julie said pocketing the ring.

"It's NOT!" Katie said, angry tears springing to her eyes.

Julie's expression softened. "If you knew the things that Nick's parents had done, you would not object at all to us being careful about this. If everything's okay, I will talk to your father about keeping it."

"You will?" Katie calmed down.

Julie nodded. 'Yes, but I wish that you would have told me the second he slipped this into your pocket."

"You wouldn't have let me have it," Katie said, crossing her arms.

"I only want to keep you safe," Julie said. "You and your sister mean the world to me."

"I know," Katie said, but she still felt like pouting.

"If everything's fine with the ring, you'll get it back," Julie reassured her. But she wasn't so sure that Nick would agree. He hated anything that reminded him of his parents.

"I better," Katie said. "It's mine."

Julie could not imagine what would make Draco Malfoy suddenly so generous with his possessions. That man never gave anything away without expecting something in return.

"Just be patient," she told her daughter. "I expect that from you."

Katie nodded reluctantly. 'Okay."

"And I am very proud of you for how well you've done this year," Julie said.

Katie smiled. "You are?"

"Absolutely," Julie hugged her tightly.

"Will that help me keep my ring?" Katie asked with a grin.

"I'll bring it up when I talk about this with your father," Julie promised.

Julie walked her daughter back into the Great Hall and gave her a quick hug before sending her back to her friends. Of all the things Julie had expected to deal with today having Draco Malfoy reappear in their lives was not one of them. With a heavy sigh, she walked over to Headmaster Wood and told him she was going home for a few minutes, but would be back for the afternoon classes. He offered her the use of his fireplace and Julie hurried out.

Her husband was in his home studio sitting at the piano going over some lyrics. Nick looked up in surprise when he saw his wife. "Jules? What are you doing home?"

Julie held out the ring on the chain. "I thought you should see this. Katie's had it since Christmas."

The smile on Nick's face faltered when he saw what was in his wife's hands. This bloody ring, he thought to himself. His father's most prized Malfoy possession. He remembered how his father had bestowed it on Katie at Christmas. "How?" Nick asked, frowning.

"She told me he sent it to her pocket," Julie sighed.

Nick shook his head. He wanted to ask why his daughter had not told them about this, but he already knew the answer.

"I thought we should test it for any charms or curses," Julie continued.

Nick nodded. "And I think I'm going to go and see my dear old Dad. See what he's on about with this."

"Are you sure that's wise?" Julie asked.

"I'm going to tell him that I don't appreciate him giving gifts to our daughters when I specifically told him Katie could not have that ring," Nick said. "I mean, the bloke ignores the two of them their entire lives and then he shows up at Christmas like that?"

"I know," Julie said. "Just don't blow up at him."

"I can't make any promises," Nick said shaking his head. "He has some nerve, Jules!"

Julie put a hand on his arm. "Just remember yourself- you know how he can be and you just be the bigger person."

"Right," Nick said. He pocketed the ring. "I'll see you later..."

Julie gave him a kiss. "I love you."

Nick smiled. "I love you, too."

He said goodbye to his wife and decided the best place to find his father would probably be his private practise in Sydney.

With a heavy sigh, Nick Apparated himself to Australia to the corridor of his father's office.

"May I help you?" an older woman asked.

"I'm here to see my father," Nick said, looking around. "Where is his office? I'll wait there, if he's with a patient."

"Healer Malfoy has a son?" the woman asked in disbelief.

Nick sighed in exasperation. "I look just like him."

The woman put on her glasses and studied him. "So you do. Hold on, one moment. I'll let him know you're here."

"I'm just going to wait for him in his office," Nick replied. "You can tell him I'm in there."

"Of course," the receptionist told him. "It's the third door on the right."

Nick just hoped he wouldn't have to wait long. If need be, he'd search every room of this place to find him.

Nick opened the door to his father's office and could only shake his head. The office was large and stately and not a book or paper was out of place. A large desk was in the center of the room and the window boasted a spectacular view of the beach. Nick stepped forward and examined the massive bookshelves filled with books that Nick bet his father had never read. Everything was here for appearance.

He wondered why his father was even a healer. Healers were supposed to be selfless, caring people. Look at Lizzy Weasley or her partner, Liam Thornhart. They would do anything to help people. But, they were about as different as night and day from his father, Nick thought. Draco Malfoy had never cared about anyone or anything but himself.

To illustrate his point, Nick picked up a frame from the desk and rolled his eyes. It was one of his parents, of course. They were dressed to the nines and looking so smug and pleased with themselves.

"Some things never change," he mumbled.

The door to the office opened and Draco Malfoy stepped inside. "Gwendolyn said you were waiting for me and I had to come here myself to make sure she wasn't hallucinating."

Nick glared at his father and wordlessly pulled the ring out of his pocket and tossed it on the desk.

Draco smiled. "Little Caitlyn didn't like her ring?"

"If you're going to give my daughter something, you could at least remember her name," Nick said coldly.

"Katherine," Draco said snapping his fingers. "That's her name, right? I like her. She has spunk."

"You don't talk to my daughters," Nick said angrily. "You don't contact them, give them things, nothing!"

"They're my grandchildren, aren't they?" Draco asked innocently. "You always said I didn't pay you enough attention when you were a kid. Maybe I'm making up for it now."

"You don't do anything that doesn't benefit you," Nick told him.

Draco put a hand to his heart. "Nicholas, you wound me."

"Oh come off it," Nick rolled his eyes. "What did you do to that ring?"

"Nothing," Draco replied.

"You had to have done something," Nick argued.

"I did nothing," Draco said picking up the ring. "This has been in our family for centuries, Nicholas. Since you turned it down when I offered it to you, I thought it was only right to offer it to your daughter. The one who was sorted into Slytherin."

"Her being in Slytherin doesn't mean anything," Nick said.

"Ginevra and I are quite impressed with little Katherine," Draco said. "Severus tells me she's quite ambitious."

Nick stared at him in disbelief. "You're checking in with her professors? That's sick. Really sick."

"That's me looking out for my own," Draco said. "And I saw Katherine's face on Christmas. She wanted that ring."

"She doesn't need it," Nick said shortly.

Draco laughed. "Yes, she does."

"You leave her alone," Nick warned.

"Your mother and I were actually thinking of inviting you and your family to Sydney this summer," Draco said.

Nick shook his head. "Yeah right."

"I'm sincere," Draco told him.

"Why?" Nick asked. "Why now? Because my daughter is in Slytherin?"

"I've written to Katherine about it and she's very excited," Draco said.

"You've got some nerve," Nick snapped.

"What?" Draco asked.

"Inviting my twelve year old daughter here without talking to us. You think you can just do whatever you please." Nick said.

"I invited the whole lot of you," Draco said. "Even the Potter girl can come."

Nick shook his head. "You don't contact us. Ever again. I don't want to have anything to do with either of you."

"Nicholas, be serious," Draco said. "You are our son."

"You should have realised that sooner," Nick said coldly.

"It's never too late," Draco said, moving over to his desk. "Your mother and I were thinking that you could come over the last two weeks of June."

"No," Nick said.

"Do you really want to break Katherine's heart?" Draco asked. "Her and...Ashley? I hear she's quite the artist."

Nick crossed his arms. "You aren't going to change my mind. Don't write to Katie again. Don't even start writing to Ashley. Don't send that ring to her. If I see it on her--"

"I'm her grandfather just as much as Potter," Draco interjected.

"No you aren't," Nick said. "You haven't been a part of her life."

"That's because you wouldn't let us," Draco said.

"Wouldn't let you?" Nick nearly exploded. "Oh, that's rich. You never cared!"

"Well, I do now," Draco said sitting down at his desk. "And so does your mother."

"Too little too late," Nick said. "I have to go."

"I will see you again," Draco told him.

"Not if I can help it," Nick retorted.

"There's nothing wrong with the ring," Draco told him. "It's not cursed. It's not charmed. It's just a family heirloom."

"I wouldn't care if it was from someone in the FAMILY," Nick said.

"You ARE my family, Nicholas," Draco said. "No matter how much distance you put between us or how you pretended that nanny of yours was your mum."

Nick rolled his eyes. "I don't have time for this."

"Just think about what I said," Draco said.

"I can already tell you the answer is no," Nick said.

Draco nodded. "Talk it over with your family and then let me know."

Nick shook his head in disgust and slammed the office door.

What in the world was his father up to? Why after all this time was he interested in being a grandfather? Why was he all of a sudden asking them to spend part of the summer hols in Sydney?

Nick didn't really want to know. All he wanted was for his parents to stay out of his life forever.

He hoped Katie had not become too attached to that ring because he would never let her have it again.

He decided to tell Julie what had happened but he knew they would never go visit with his parents. There was obviously some ulterior motive and he had no desire to find out what it was.

He would also have a long talk with his daughter about defying her parents' wishes.

"Hey, Sophie," he greeted his daughters' dog as he arrived back at the house.

Sophie barked enthusiastically at Nick.

Nick scratched the little dog behind the ears. "How about a walk?"

A walk was just what he needed to clear his head.

Nick clipped on Sophie's leash and headed outside.

His life now could not be more different than it had been as a child. He had a family of his own and he hoped that he was a better father to his daughters than his father had been to him.

Back at Hogwarts, Katie was still fuming over the loss of her ring. She had told Lindsey what had happened and swore the other girl to secrecy. She didn't think she could bear Jemima finding out.

But, she also knew that Jemima was looking for any ammunition to get back at her. She and Lindsey were walking towards the Potions classroom when she saw her sister. "Give me just a minute, Linds."

"I'll save you a seat," Lindsey said.

"Thanks," Katie said hurrying over to her sister. "Ash!"

"Hey," Ashley said. "What's up?"

"It's absolutely horrible!" Katie told her. "Absolutely horrible!"

"What?" Ashley looked alarmed.

"Mum found out about the ring," Katie said. "And she took it from me and said she was going to tell Daddy..."

"Katie..." Ashley said. "I know you don't want to hear it, but you knew they'd eventually find out."

Katie sighed. "It's my own fault. I was so excited about telling her how well I did in Charms, I forgot to tuck in back under my jumper."

"Maybe they'll let you have it back," Ashley said.

Katie frowned. "Ash, you know how they are about anything having to do with that side of the family. But, Grandfather's hoping that he can convince Mum and Dad to let us go there for the summer."

Ashley gaped at her. "Katie---you've heard from him since Christmas?"

"He's been writing to me," Katie nodded. "Grandfather likes me."

"Writing to you?" Ashley asked. "Katie, do Mum and Dad know about that?"

"No," Katie admitted.

Ashley shook her head. "They're going to flip when they find out, Katie."

"Maybe they won't," Katie said.

Ashley looked at her watch. "Look, I have to get to class, but you really need to let Mum know about this before Dad finds out."

Katie sighed, knowing her sister was right. "I guess..."

"But, I promise they won't hear it from me," Ashley told her.

"Thanks," Katie said. "I'll see you later."

Ashley watched her sister and could only shake her head. She hurried to the Defence Against Dark Arts class that she had with her mother.

Julie smiled at her daughter as Ashley slipped in the door.

"Just in time, Miss Malfoy," Julie said.

"Sorry," Ashley sat down next to Zander.

"I thought history was about to be made," Zander said teasingly. "Ashley Malfoy...tardy."

"Yeah right," Ashley joked. "And mar my reputation?"

Zander laughed. "I must have you confused with my cousin."

"Who should be arriving any second now..." Ashley said. "Three... two..."

Julie was closing the door but Brittany slide in just at the last second. "Miss Murray," Julie chastised.

"I’m sorry," Brittany said breathlessly. "I had an emergency."

Julie folded her arms. "What was it this time? Last week, it was that you ran out of lip gloss..."

"I um... I tore my skirt." Brittany replied. "So I had to change it."

Julie stifled a laugh. "Take your seat."

Brittany slipped into her seat on the other side of Ashley.

"What was it really?" Ashley whispered.

"I sort of lost track of time with Evan," Brittany whispered back.

"Well, where is he?" Zander asked, looking around the room.

"He really did tear his trousers," Brittany replied with a little laugh.

Ashley giggled. "Brit!"

Julie called everyone's attention to the lesson, but her mind was far away. She wondered how Nick's visit to his father had fared.

It was hard to believe that Katie had hidden that ring from them for weeks.

There was definitely more to the situation- that was clear as day.

If Julie was being honest, Katie shared a lot of the Malfoy qualities.

In a lot of ways, she was very much like Draco and Ginny. But at the same time... she could be very sweet and was quite loyal.

Julie glanced at her older daughter and wondered briefly if Ashley had known about this ring. Over the past few months, Ashley and Katie had grown quite close.

She decided to ask her daughter after class. She motioned for Ashley to come to her desk as everyone was packing up.

Ashley walked up to her mother with trepidation. "Mum?"

"Hi sweetheart," she said. "I need to ask you something."

"Sure," Ashley said.

"I found out today that Katie has had the Malfoy family ring since Christmas," Julie said. "Did you know about it?"

Ashley nodded. She promised her sister she would not tell about the letters. "Yes."

"You know you can tell me anything," Julie said. "I'm not going to get angry or punish you..."

"I know, Mum," Ashley said. "Katie knows that, too."

Julie nodded. "I'm happy that you two have gotten close."

Ashley smiled. "Me too."

Julie gave her a hug. "Go on ahead. I wouldn't want to make you late for Potions."

"Of course not," Ashley said. "Tell Daddy I said hello."

"I will," Julie promised.

Julie watched her daughter leave and couldn't help thinking that this was not going to be the last they would hear from Draco Malfoy. She just could not understand why he was coming around now after all this time.

She also wondered what her mother in law thought of all this. Draco and Ginny had a history of not talking things out with one another.

What a strange relationship the two of them had, Julie thought to herself.

She packed up the rest of her things and was glad she could head home for the day. She knew she and Nick had a lot to talk about.

*** *** ***

After only another day or so at the hospital, Frank and Alice were ready to leave for the first time in many, many years. Neville wanted to have his family over to celebrate, but decided to hold off for now.

Arthur and Molly were coming over as well as Harry and Hermione. Neville figured that wouldn't be so overwhelming, and his parents had been friends with the Weasleys before everything had happened.

Frank looked up at the nurse from the wheelchair. "Is this really necessary? I mean, I can walk."

The nurse laughed. "Mr. Longbottom, its St. Mungos policy."

Frank grunted. "Policy..."

Alice smiled at her husband. "Frank. Come on. Be nice."

Neville also smiled. "Once we're out of here you can walk wherever you want."

Neville did the honours, pushing his mother's wheelchair while the nurse helped Frank.

Alice closed her eyes and breathed in the fresh air. "It feels wonderful out here."

Neville squeezed her shoulder. He felt a little overwhelmed himself with all this. He never thought in a million years that he would ever be escorting his parents out of the hospital.

Frank gladly pushed himself up off the chair once they were outside.

"Good luck, Mr. Longbottom," the nurse told him.

"Thank you," Frank replied, reaching for Alice's hand.

"Yes," Alice said to the nurse. "We appreciate all that you did for us over the years."

The other woman smiled. "It's been my pleasure."

Neville had made a rather sizable donation to the hospital as thanks for the care they'd given to his parents over the years.

"Cho's waiting for us at home," Neville told his parents. "We thought we'd have Molly and Arthur over in a little while..."

"Arthur and Molly Weasley?" Alice asked.

"Yes," Neville nodded.

"Remember?" Frank asked his wife. "Neville said that our granddaughter, Allison is married to one of their grandsons."

"Of course," Alice nodded.

Frank chuckled. "It's hard to believe we're grandparents, eh Alice?"

"I can't wait for you to get to know your grandchildren," Neville said. "There are a lot of them."

Alice smiled. "And great-grandchildren. Frank, we're great-grandparents, too."

"That little redhead one," Frank said. "Emily?"

"Emma Madeline," Neville said. "She's something else, Dad."

"So I've heard," Frank said. "I'm looking forward to seeing them all."

They arrived at Neville and Cho's house a few minutes later. Neville held his mother's hand as he helped her up the front steps.

"Neville, you have a beautiful home," Alice told him.

"Thanks Mum," Neville replied. "Cho and I have worked really hard so we can live nicely."

Cho opened the door. "Hello! I thought I heard voices out here!"

"Hi sweetheart," Neville said with a grin.

"Welcome home!" Cho exclaimed, stepping forward to give Frank and Alice a hug.

"Hello, Cho." Alice kissed her daughter in law's cheek.

"I hope you're hungry," Cho said. "Neville made a wonderful breakfast."

"I'm starved for real food," Frank said as Cho ushered them all into the house.

Cho smiled. "Well, you will not be disappointed."

"It's not that big a deal," Neville said modestly. "Just bacon, eggs, toast, pancakes--"

Frank grinned. "That sounds perfect, son."

Cho had set the table for four. "Molly, Arthur, Harry and Hermione will be by in a few hours." she said.

Neville helped his mother with her seat.

"Can I help with anything?" Frank asked.

"No," Cho told him. "Absolutely not."

"Just sit and enjoy," Neville said to his father. "After breakfast I'll show you the room we got ready for you."

"Can I get you some coffee or tea?" Cho offered.

"Tea?" Alice perked up. "It's been so long since I've had tea..."

Cho smiled. "Coming right up. Frank? How about you?"

"Tea as well," Frank said gratefully.

Cho poured them both a cup.

Alice smiled. "The last breakfast I can remember having with Neville was when he was just a baby. He used to throw his cereal at Frank."

"I could do that today for old time's sake," Neville joked.

Frank laughed. "No thank you."

The four adults tucked into their food as Neville and Cho brought them up to speed on the family and current events.

Frank looked at Neville. "And what about James and Lily? How are they? You didn't mention them."

Alice nodded. "I bet Lily is busy spoiling those grandchildren and great-grandchildren of hers."

Neville and Cho exchanged sober looks. "Dad um... James and Lily Potter were killed... a long time ago."

The smile on Alice's face fell. "No---"

Neville recounted the story of that horrible night. "It was pretty bad for a number of years."

Alice wiped at her eyes with a napkin.

"It's okay now," Neville said. "I mean... Voldemort's gone. He's been gone for awhile. And Harry's happy."

"And he has his own family," Cho said. "He's very happy."

"I'd like to see him," Alice said. "You said he's coming over, right?"

Cho nodded. "And I'm sure he would love hearing about his parents."

"I'd be happy to tell him anything I can remember," Frank said.

"So many of our old friends lost in the war," Alice said quietly.

Neville nodded. "It was rough on everyone."

"And for you," Alice said reaching for her son's hand. "I'm so sorry, sweetheart for what you had to go without."

"It's not your fault," Neville said. "Not at all."

Alice nodded and wiped at her eyes. "Today is a happy day, right?"

"Absolutely," Cho said with a smile. "And soon, when you both are up for it, we'll have a family reunion."

"We look forward to that," Alice said.

"And this is a mighty fine breakfast, son," Frank said. "Where did you learn to cook like this?"

"Gran," Neville said. "She taught me everything."

Frank smiled. "I'm glad that you had her."

"I miss her," Neville nodded.

"You know, she didn't like me at first," Alice admitted. "Thought I was all wrong for her precious son."

Cho looked at her. "She didn't like me for the same reason."

"We grew on one another." Cho said. "When my daughter Chiaki was born, she loved her very much."

"Of course," Alice smiled. "That was how she was with Neville."

"Well the whole thing with that was because Chiaki... she's not biologically my daughter," Neville revealed. "And Gran, at first, thought I was making a big mistake."

"What do you mean?" Frank asked.

"I got pregnant with Chiaki by another man," Cho explained. "I thought he loved me... but it turned out he didn't." she explained what had happened with the near abortion and how Neville came to her rescue.

"Oh, you poor girl!" Alice exclaimed sympathetically.

"He was my hero," Cho said reaching for Neville's hand.

"I adopted Chiaki," Neville said. "And I love her as much as my other daughters."

"Of course you do," Frank said proudly.

Neville smiled. "Come on," he said. "Let me show you that room."

"Alright," Frank agreed.

"If there's anything you want to change, you can let me know," Neville said. "And we'll take you out and get you whatever you need."

Cho linked her arm in Alice's. "And I'm always up for shopping."

Alice smiled. "I'm sure it's quite different than it was before."

"We'll take Frankie with us," Cho said. "She's our fashion expert."

"That's your youngest daughter?" Alice asked.

"Yes," Neville said. "And the one who gave me much of the grey in my hair."

"When she was younger, she liked to date around a lot," Cho explained with a grin.

"That's an understatement," Neville said.

"She settled down quite a bit and got married to Will," Cho said.

Neville opened the door to the guest room. "Here we are..."

"Oh this is lovely," Alice breathed.

Neville watched as his parents entered the room. He wanted everything to be perfect for them. He owed them that much.

"This is quite nice," Frank nodded. "I think Alice and I will enjoy this very much."

Cho squeezed her husband's hand. "Told you they'd like it."

"Everything has to be perfect," Neville said.

Frank picked up a framed photograph of he and Alice on their wedding day. He called her over to look at it.

"I remember that," Alice said fondly. "I'm so glad I remember that..."

"Could never forget that day," Frank said putting an arm around her.

"Why don't we leave you two to get settled," Neville said. "Cho and I have a few things to get ready for company."

Alice nodded. "Thank you both."

Neville hugged both his parents tightly.

Cho was waiting for him out in the hallway.

"That went so well," Cho said happily.

Neville nodded in agreement. "They're adjusting a lot faster than I thought they would."

"We'll just take this one step and one day at a time," Cho said.

"Absolutely," Neville said, whirling her around.

Cho giggled. "Neville!"

"I have it all now," Neville told her.

"You do," Cho said before giving him a kiss.

"Come on," Neville said. "Let's go get everything ready."

It did not take them long to clear away the breakfast dishes and prepare tea and scones for their guests.

"When did you tell them to arrive?" Cho asked.

"Eleven," Neville replied. "So they should be here any minute."

"This will be fun," Cho said, getting out a bottle of wine.

"I'm really glad that Arthur and Molly will be here," Neville said. "I think that will mean a lot to my parents."

"Of course it will," Cho said. "They were friends before all this happened."

"And I cannot wait for them to meet all the children," Neville said. He had been grinning from ear to ear ever since this had happened.

"We all know that the kids are excited," Cho said. "Especially Emma."

Neville laughed. He could just imagine what his granddaughter would have said if she had seen the breakfast he'd made.

"Hello!" Molly Weasley called out from the sitting room. "Neville! Cho!"

Neville went in. "Molly!"

Molly engulfed him in a hug.

Neville laughed. "Save a few of those for my parents. They're eager to see you both."

Arthur grinned. "We're eager to see them."

Cho came back into the room with Frank and Alice in tow. "The guests of honour," she said with a grin.

Molly gasped. "Alice Longbottom!"

"Molly?" Alice asked.

Molly nodded and walked slowly over to her old friend.

The two women embraced as Frank approached Arthur. "It's good to see you," he said, his hand out. "It's... well... it's incredible isn't it?"

"Absolutely," Arthur said shaking Frank's hand. "You look the same, mate."

Frank laughed. "If only that were true."

Frank had met Arthur Weasley when he was just out of Auror training. They had worked together a few times when Arthur's department helped with raids. The older man had been like a mentor to Frank.

It had been very hard on Arthur when he'd found out about what had happened to Frank and Alice, and something like this was truly a miracle.

"You still collecting those Muggle artefacts?" Frank asked him. "You must have thousands of them by now, eh?"

"He has a whole shed full of them," Molly said. "You'll have to come by and see."

"You'll have to clear away an entire day," Cho teased.

"We have time," Arthur said with a grin. "It's good to say that."

"Too right," Frank agreed.

"I have some tea, if anyone would like some," Cho said. "I also have some wine, or butterbeer..."

"Tea would be lovely," Molly said. "For both of us."

"Coming right up," Cho said. "Help yourself to the crumpets."

"Thanks," Molly said. She looked over at Neville. "Alice and Frank, you must be so proud of how Neville turned out. He was at school with my Ronald and Harry."

"We are," Alice agreed smiling at her son.

"Followed in my parents' footsteps," Neville said. "All my life I heard about what great Aurors they were."

"We didn't have time to do much--" Frank began.

"People still talk about the work you and mum did against the dark wizards and your work with the Order," Neville said.

"They do?" Frank said interestedly.

"Absolutely," Neville agreed. "In fact, if you're up to it, I'd love to take you to headquarters."

Frank's eyes brightened.

"Room in here for two more?" Hermione asked from the doorway.

Cho stood with a grin. "Of course!"

Frank turned and he swore that James Potter was staring right back at him.

"Harry," Neville was saying. "Come on in and meet my parents!"

Frank extended his hand. "It's an honour to meet James and Lily's son."

Harry shook it. "An honour to meet you as well."

Alice came forward. "You look so much like James. But, you have your mother's eyes."

"So I've heard," Harry said, a bit wistfully. He did not begrudge Neville getting to know his parents- in fact, he was thrilled for his friend. But he couldn't help but wish that it was his parents that he could bring back.

"We were so sorry to hear about what happened," Alice said softly. "Lily was one of my best friends..."

Harry nodded. "I was only one when they... when they died."

"From what Neville tells us, they would have been very proud of the man you've become," Frank said. "I can still remember how happy James was when you were born. He must have brought in thousands of pictures."

Harry nodded. "Perhaps you can tell me more about them."

"Of course," Alice promised. She looked over his shoulder at the pretty brunette. "You must be---Hermione?"

"Hello," Hermione extended her hand graciously. "It's so lovely to meet you both."
"Hermione's the Minister for Magic," Neville told his parents. "She's the one who approved the grant for the research that cured you both."

Alice smiled. "It's an honour to meet you, Minister."

"The pleasure is all mine," Hermione said, kissing her cheek. "Neville is such a wonderful friend to us."

"He's my boy," Alice said.

Neville grinned. "I was just telling Dad I'd like to take him by headquarters."

Harry nodded. "That's a great idea."

"Can we do that soon?" Frank asked eagerly.

"As soon as you wish," Neville said happily.

"Today?" Frank suggested hopefully.

Neville chuckled. "Sure, Dad. If you're ready."

"We ladies can hit up some shops," Cho said. "If Alice feels like she wants to."

Alice nodded eagerly. "I'd love that."

"And when you're up for it, I'll have you over for a big dinner at the Burrow," Molly said. "Whatever they were feeding you at St. Mungos certainly didn't help!"

"Maybe it's a good thing we don't remember that," Alice joked.

Molly laughed. "I'll have you both filled out in no time."

Harry watched wistfully as Neville started engaging his father in stories about work. Cho tugged at his arm and led him into the kitchen. "I didn't even think...how hard this would be on you, Harry."

"It didn't hit me until I saw them," Harry admitted.

Cho nodded. "I know. I felt a twinge of guilt, too. I'd give anything to have my parents back, too."

Harry sighed. "I'm really happy for Neville. I really am. If anyone deserves this it's him. But I can't help but wonder..."

"What if," Cho finished.

"Right," Harry agreed.

Cho nodded. "It doesn't make you a horrible person. It makes you human."

Harry smiled at her. "How's he been all day?"

"He's so happy," Cho said. "He spent last night with them at hospital talking about anything and everything."

"That's great," Harry replied. "He deserves this."

"He does," Cho agreed. "And the girls have never really had grandparents before. Frankie, Chiaki and Allie---they finally have that."

Harry nodded. "Thankfully we had Robert and Elinore for as long as we did, and now we have Arthur and Molly."

"Everyone's surrogate grandparents," Cho smiled.

"I'm glad to have them," Harry said, helping her clean up a few dishes from breakfast that morning.

"Well, I know it's not the same as having your parents back, but Alice and Frank did know your parents quite well," Cho said thoughtfully.

"Maybe they can tell me more about them," Harry said. "I'd really like that."

Cho grinned and nudged him. "And I'm really glad that my best friend is here to share this with us."

"Wouldn't have missed it," Harry nudged her back.

Cho laughed. "Come on, let's get back out there."

Harry followed Cho back out to the sitting room where he saw Neville and Frank talking and joking together. He felt a slight pang but managed a smile as he sat down next to his wife.

"Alice was just telling me how great a cook your mum was," Hermione said. "Which obviously was passed down to her son."

"I was trained well with the Dursleys," Harry made a face.

"The aunt and uncle that raised you?" Alice asked.

Harry nodded. "My mum's sister."

"Petunia, right?" Alice recalled.

"Yeah," Harry said. "I haven't seen her in years. My uncle died awhile back, and I don't know where she and Dudley moved to after that."

"Well," Alice smiled at him. "You have your own family now."

"We brought pictures to show you," Harry brightened.

Alice grinned. "I would love to see them."

Hermione produced several of them and moved over to sit with Alice.

Alice looked through the photographs and listened with fascination as Hermione talked.

"Saffron is our youngest," Hermione said. "She's getting married in about five months."

"How lovely!" Alice gushed. "And what a beautiful little baby!"

Hermione smiled proudly. "I am biased, but she is wonderful."

Alice smile faltered a bit as she thought about her grandchildren---children she had not yet met officially. Neville had told her stories about them, but she wanted to get to know them herself. She wanted to hold them and hug them and make them laugh.

"Are you all right?" Hermione asked concernedly.

Alice nodded. "I'm fine. I just cannot wait to meet my grandchildren and great-grandchildren."

Hermione patted Alice's hand. "Chiaki, Frankie and Allie are the best." She turned a couple of pages in the photo album. "Here's the three of them when we were at Hillsdale. Chiaki was twenty there, Allie was fifteen and Frankie was twelve."

Alice smiled. "They're beautiful girls..."

"They are," Hermione agreed. "On the inside and out."

"Neville told me Chiaki comes by with her two children sometimes," Alice said.

"She did," Hermione said. "She always looked forward to the visits. Even when she was a little girl."

Alice smiled again.

"Do you remember any of their visits?" Hermione asked.

"Vaguely..." Alice said.

Hermione nodded. "Well, now you can make new memories with them."

"I'm looking forward to it," Alice said.

"When are you going to meet them?" Hermione asked.

"I'm not sure," Alice said. "Neville said he would arrange it when we were all ready."

Alice looked over at her son and smiled as she saw him with Frank. It was still surreal to see him like this.

Neville and Frank were laughing about something with Arthur and Harry. "I think we're going to head over to headquarters for a bit." Neville said.

Alice looked at her husband. "You sure about that, Frank?"

Frank nodded. "Will you be all right?"

Alice looked around the room uncertainly. "I think so."

"If you don't want me to go--" Frank began.

Alice shook her head. "No, you can go. I'll be fine."

Frank smiled reassuringly at her. "First time in a long time we'll be apart."

Alice stood up and walked over to him. "I'll be fine." She hugged him tightly.

Frank kissed her cheek. "I'll see you later."

Neville gave his mother a hug. "I'll look out for him, Mum."

"I know you will," Alice said.
"We'll have fun, Alice." Cho promised.

The men left the ladies alone and Alice sat back down on the sofa.

"Where would you like to go?" Hermione asked Alice.

Cho had an idea but she was not sure if Alice would be up for it, without Frank. It would also be a way to make it up to Allison for being left out of the decision for awhile. The kids would be in school save for Adam and so it should not be too overwhelming for Alice.

"I have a great idea," she said.

"What's that, love?" Molly asked.

"Come on," Cho said. "I know someone who will be home and very eager to see you."

Alice stood up and smiled at her daughter-in-law. "Okay."

Cho remained mum until they arrived at Jon and Allison's new place. "Alice... you're about to meet your middle granddaughter and great grandson."

A grin spread across Alice's face.

Cho grinned back. "Allie's on bed rest, like Neville told you. She and Adam are upstairs. Come on..."

Allison lay back on her pillows and sighed. She was still trying hard not to feel sorry forherself but this bed rest was a fate worse than death.

Adam held up one of his cars. "Watch, Mummy!"

"What are you up to?" Allison asked with a smile.

"Vroom, vroom!" Adam exclaimed, about to set his car on the floor when he spotted his grandmother. "Gamma Cho!"

"Hi, baby." Cho said, opening her arms.

Adam toddled over to her.

"Hi Mum," Allison pushed herself up. "What are you doing here? I thought today was the day..." her voice died as she saw Alice appear behind Cho.

"Allison Weasley," Cho said smiling at her. "Meet Alice Longbottom."

316. Chapter 316 When Alice Met Allie

Authors' note: There wasn't too much of a response to last week's chapter so we just wanted to make sure there was still interest in the story. We are not writing for reviews, but they do let us know what you guys think, your suggestions, etc. So, we don't think it's too much to ask to take a couple of seconds to write a quick review to let us know what you think. We just want to make sure that there's still interest in the story and that we're not wasting our time writing when the story has lost reader interest. This not only goes for our story, but for all the talented writers on the site who post their stories. Just take a couple of seconds to let them know what you think. We love writing this story and have some really exciting storylines planned, and an upcoming time jump.

"Hello," Alice said softly, her eyes moving back and forth between Allison and Adam.

"Hi!" Adam exclaimed, waving at her from his perch in Cho's arms. "Em's not here!"

Allison laughed. "Adam!"

Alice laughed, too. "I'm---I'm really happy to meet you, Adam."

"Hi," Adam grinned charmingly at her.
"Adam takes after his father," Allison said, tucking her hair behind her ears.

Alice stepped closer and felt tears welling up in her eyes. She leaned down and carefully gave Allison a hug.

"Hi," Allison whispered to her grandmother.

Alice sat down gingerly on the bed. "I've been waiting a very long time to meet you."

"Same here," Allison replied. "I'm sorry I can't get up."

"It's okay," Alice said. "I'm just really happy to see you. Your father has been telling me all about you girls."

"Ever since we heard about the possibility of you both being cured we've been anxious to meet you." Allison said sincerely.

Alice nodded. "I'm so sorry for the time that I missed."

"You aren't to blame," Allison said as Adam climbed over to them.
"Here," Adam gave Alice a car.

Alice smiled at him. "Thank you."

"For you," Adam said.

"No one has ever given me a car before," Alice told him.

"Why?" Adam asked.

Alice thought about this for a minute. "I'm not sure. But, I'm happy that my handsome great-grandson was the first."

Adam grinned at her. "Like you."

"I like you too," Alice said opening her arms.

Adam laughed as he hugged his great grandmother.

Allison looked over at her mother and mouthed the words "Thank you".

Cho smiled at her.

Allison had so many questions for her grandmother, but she did not want to overwhelm her. They had time now. "Where's Frank today?" she asked instead. "I mean... Grandpa. Sorry..."

"Your father took him to Auror headquarters," Cho said. "So he could check out his old stomping grounds."

"How lovely," Allison said. "I bet he's enjoying that."

Molly grinned. "Frank was a great Auror, but Alice here held her own."

"I learned everything from Frank, James and Lily," Alice said. "We really had our work cut out for us in those days."

"Dad's really followed in your footsteps," Allison commented.

Alice smiled. "Sounds as if he's quite the Auror."

Adam smiled up at her. "Gampa gets all the bad guys."

Everyone laughed. "That's what this little guy wants to do too, right Adam?" Allison asked.

Adam nodded. "Put Em in jail."

"Adam," Allison said, hiding her smile.

Alice laughed. "Adam, your big sister can't be all bad, can she?"

"She's bossy," Adam told her.

"She's a little headstrong," Molly told Alice.

"I can't wait to meet her," Alice said.

"The girls are so excited," Allison told her. "They've been drawing pictures for you and Grandpa Frank."

"We'll have all of you over for dinner soon," Cho promised.

"Hopefully I'll be able to go," Allison replied.

"I know it can't be easy," Alice said softly. "Being stuck in bed like this, but you really are doing the right thing for your little one and yourself. A family---a family should not go without its mother."

"I know," Allison agreed.

"So when you start feeling sorry for yourself, you look at these little faces and you remember what it's all for," Alice said squeezing Allison's hand.

Allison smiled at her. "I'm so glad you're here."

"Me too," Alice agreed. She said a silent vow right then and there to try and not feel sorry for herself, either. She had missed out on so many years, but there was nothing she could do about it now. The only thing now was to cherish the time she had with her family.

"Would anyone like some tea?" Allison asked.

"I'll make it," Molly offered.

"Thank you," Allison said gratefully.

While they waited for Molly, Allison told Alice about her family. Alice listened eagerly to the stories and felt so happy and content with Adam in her lap.

Meanwhile, Frank was enjoying his tour of Auror Headquarters with Harry and Neville.

"This place hasn't changed very much," Frank said looking around at the interrogation rooms. "You know my desk was just over there...and that's where James sat..."

"That's my desk," Harry told him. "I never knew it was Dad's..."

Frank laughed. "Well, he didn't like to sit for very long. He used to try and get the underlings to do all of his paperwork."

Harry smiled. "Sometimes I do that."

Neville looked at Harry. "You do that all the time."

"Look who's talking," Harry replied.

"He's got you there," Ethan chimed in from his desk. "You're always palming off the paper work to me, Dad."

Frank looked at the young man. "You must be Ethan," he said.

Ethan stood up and extended his hand. "It's an honour to meet you, Mr. Longbottom."

"Pleasure's all mine," Frank replied. "You're another version of James... just like Harry."

"The more handsome version," Ethan joked.

"Hey," Harry cuffed him. "Just for that, you can do all this." he waved his hand and a load of paperwork appeared on his son's desk.

"Dad!" Ethan protested.

Harry sent him a grin.

"It was nice to meet you, Mr. Longbottom," Ethan said. "But I guess I've got work to do."

"Harry," Neville said. "You don't have that much paperwork to do..."

Harry held up his hand. "Ethan doesn't need to know that."

"You are so much like your father," Frank was amused.

Harry grinned. "Thanks."

"Here's someone you may know," Neville said as Remus Lupin came out of his office.

Remus stopped in his tracks when he saw Frank. "Frank Longbottom!"

Neville grinned as Lupin came forward in shock. "I can't believe it!"

"It's great to see you again, Remus," Frank said extending his hand.

Lupin shook it. "Neville told me that the spell worked... but I didn't think I'd see you again so soon."

Frank nodded. "It all seems so bizarre. It seems like just yesterday I was here working alongside you and James."

Lupin nodded. "It does."

Neville looked proudly at his father.

The four men walked down the corridor as Frank peered into each room.

There were so many memories here. He could remember coming back here from raids and celebrating with his fellow Aurors.

"Perhaps when you're up for it, you, and Alice and I can go out for a drink," Lupin was saying to him.

"Like the old days," Frank said with a grin. He looked into one of the old interrogation rooms and was hit with a memory of James, Lily, Alice and Remus as they celebrated bringing in five of Lord Voldemort's most loyal Death Eaters.

Neville watched his father carefully. All day he had wondered if perhaps he had been pushing them too much. This was their first official day out and they seemed to be adjusting quite well. He knew they all had a long road ahead of them, but he would help them any way he could.

*** *** ***

It was finally Friday and Alexa was ready to get out of California and back home to London. She had bought a couple of new things for Ellie and she could not wait to show Saffron.
This promised to be a busy weekend with the final fittings for the bridal party's gowns and the joint meeting to plan the stag and hen weekends for the happy couple.

Alexa smiled. Although Darla and Drew were planning this wedding, Saffron was very much in control of everything else and as she liked to remind everyone, she ran a tight ship.
Alexa was just packing her books when she heard a knock on the door.

"Coming!" she called out.

She opened the door, expecting Carmen had forgotten her keys again and was surprised to see Gabriel on the other side.

He grinned at her and held out the flowers he had picked up on his way over. "Hi, stranger," he said softly. "These are a peace offering."

"Thanks..." she said. "Um... I was actually just headed out."

Gabe frowned. "Oh."

"I'm going back to England this weekend," Alexa said. "I left you a message."

"I haven't been home," Gabriel replied. "I came here from the lab."

"I left it on your mobile," Alexa replied. "I guess you didn't check it."

Gabriel stepped inside the room and saw Alexa's suitcase. "I managed to get the weekend off. Well tonight and Saturday anyway. I thought we could go out to dinner. Maybe see a movie..."

"If you had let me know sooner I would have stayed." Alexa replied, stuffing her books into her bag.

Gabriel nodded. "So, um, how have you been?"

"Fine," Alexa said. "You?"

"Busy," Gabriel replied sitting on the edge of her bed. "Biochem lab has taken up a lot of my time."

"I know," Alexa said, turning back to her suitcase.

Gabriel ran his hands through his hair. "Lex---"

"It’s all right," Alexa said. "You're busy. I know."

"I didn't realise I'd be this busy," Gabriel said wishing she would turn around and look at him.

"Well I've kept myself occupied," Alexa shrank her suitcase down and put it in her pocket.

"Going back home?" Gabriel asked before he could stop himself.

"Yes," she answered. "I told you that."

"Seems to me that you've done that every weekend since the semester started," Gabriel commented.

"Well it's not like I've had any other plans," Alexa said pointedly

"Lex, come on," Gabriel said standing up. "When I've been free, I've rung you but Carmen says you've gone home. What am I supposed to do?"

"I'm not trying to be horrible, but I can't help but feel that I'm second fiddle to everything else in your life," Alexa said. "I understand that school and studying is very important to you, but it doesn't need to be your whole life."

"Well, it's a little hard to make time for someone who would obviously rather be somewhere else," Gabriel retorted.

Alexa felt herself grow angry at his tone. "Well yes, I would rather be elsewhere when my boyfriend doesn't want to be around me!"

"That's not true and you know it!" Gabriel exclaimed. "You have no idea what pre-med is like. No idea."

"No, I don't." Alexa replied. "But perhaps I would if you'd ever sit down and share it with me."

Gabriel sighed. "When are you going to be back?"

"Sunday night," Alexa said, picking up her bag.

"Can we get together then?" Gabriel asked. "For dinner?"

"I don't know what time I'm coming back yet," Alexa replied coolly.

"Could you just ring me when you do get home?" Gabriel asked.

Alexa felt herself soften a bit. "All right," she agreed.

Gabriel smiled. "Thank you."

"You'd better answer," Alexa said. "I don't like talking to your voicemail all the time."

"I will," Gabriel promised.

"Okay," Alexa said. "I guess I'll talk to you later."

Gabriel stepped closer. "Goodbye kiss?"

Alexa smiled at him. "Sure..."

Gabriel put his hands on her waist. "I really have missed you, Lexie."

"I miss you too," she admitted.

Gabriel leaned in and kissed her softly.

"I'll talk to you Sunday," Alexa said when they pulled apart.

"Say hi to Andrew and Saffy for me," Gabriel told her.

'I will," Alexa told him.

Gabriel gave her hand a squeeze before he left the room.

Alexa sighed once he had gone. She still loved Gabriel, but didn't understand why everything ALWAYS had to be on his schedule.

Alexa grabbed her backpack and Apparated.

She arrived in Andrew and Saffron's sitting room. "Saf?" she called out.

"In the nursery!" Saffron called back.

Alexa grabbed the outfits she'd found out of her bag and went into the room. "Hey." she said with a grin.

Saffron laughed. "Lexie, you're spoiling her more than her grandparents."

"I can't help it," Alexa said. "As her godmother I reserve the right."

Saffron grinned and held Ellie up to see Alexa. "Look what Godmummy Lexie bought for you!"

Ellie grinned and giggled.

Alexa felt her mood instantly lighten. "Hi, sweetheart. Have you been a good girl for your mum?"

"Of course she has," Saffron replied, kissing her daughter's cheek.

Alexa set the outfits down. "It's good to be home."

"We're always glad to have you here," Saffron passed Ellie to her.

Alexa made a goofy face at Ellie which made the baby laugh. "Well, I'm here to help anyway I can. You know that."

Saffron smiled. "Tea?"

"I'd love some," Alexa replied.

"Come on," Saffron said. "I can fill you in as I make it."

Alexa followed Saffron downstairs into the kitchen. The table was covered with a seating chart, magazines and cards.

"You know that cow Mary Ellen actually sent me an owl BEGGING to come to the wedding," Saffron told her. "My biggest rival at Hogwarts and she was acting like we were long lost friends."

"Are you serious?" Alexa asked incredulously.

"Yes," Saffron said. "I'm thinking of framing the letter."

"Let me read it," Alexa said. "I could use a laugh."

"It's on top of that pile over there," Saffron said.

Alexa shifted Ellie to her other arm and reached for it.

"Saffie-kins?" Alexa read aloud.

"That had me laughing for about an hour," Saffron replied. "Honestly..."

"And she wants to remember all the good times you had together?" Alexa asked incredulously. "I wasn't aware that you had ANY good times together."

"That had me going for another hour," Saffron rolled her eyes. "Keep reading, it gets better."

Alexa's eyes grew large. "She's included her dress size in case you want to include her in the bridal party?"

"Can you believe it?" Saffron asked.

Alexa shook her head. "Did you write back to her?"

Saffron snorted. "Of course not."

Alexa giggled. "This is too much, Saf."

"She really is something else," Saffron set a mug of tea in front of her friend.

"Thanks," Alexa said. "So, um, what else has been going on here?"

"Not much," she said. "Just trying to keep organised."

"You're the most organised person I know," Alexa said.

"These days, I don't feel like it." Saffron replied.

"It will all be worth it when you and Andrew walk down the aisle," Alexa said.

"I can't wait," Saffron said. "He is such a dream, Lexie."

"He is Wizard McDreamy," Alexa said grinning at her.

"He still hates when I call him that," Saffron replied, laughing.

"Baby McDreamy," Alexa said looking down at Ellie.

Saffron laughed so hard she nearly snorted tea out her nose.

Alexa laughed, too. "Saf!"

"That's hilarious," Saffron wiped her eyes. "I can't wait to tell Andrew that one."

Saffron took the baby from Alexa. She placed Ellie in her bouncy seat. "So," Saffron said sitting back down. "How are things with you?"

Alexa shrugged. "All right." she told her best friend what had happened just before she left.

Saffron leaned back in her chair. "Well, you are going to ring him Sunday right?"

Alexa nodded. "I'll probably go to dinner with him.”

"Good," Saffron said thoughtfully. "You two are way overdue for a talk."

"Let's just hope he doesn't cancel on me," Alexa said. "It's happened before."

"He won't," Saffron said confidently.

"Hopefully not," Alexa said, smiling down as Ellie cooed up at her.

"Well, this weekend, you will be too busy to worry about it," Saffron told her. "We're meeting the boys at Jon and Josh's pub in about an hour. My mum's going to watch Ellie."

"Great," Alexa said. "I want to keep busy."

"Famous last words, Saffron said teasingly.

Alexa laughed. "I’m going to freshen up."

Saffron nodded. Alexa passed Ellie back over to her and went into the loo.

Saffron hurried about packing a bag for Ellie. "Are you going to be a good girl for Grandma and Grandpa tonight?"

Ellie watched her mother and smiled.

Saffron laughed. "You're going to have your Grandpa wrapped around your finger and you know it."

Alexa appeared after a few minutes. "Shall we get going?"

Saffron nodded and they set off for the Minister's mansion. After saying goodbye to Ellie, they headed for Jon and Josh's pub where Mimi and Beth were already waiting. Audrey was also at the bar, talking to the others.

"Hi girls," Saffron said with a grin.

"Hi!" Beth said giving her a hug. "You look gorgeous, of course!"

"Thanks," Saffron said. "How's the internship going?"

"Fantastic," Beth said. "Your aunt is demanding, but I'm learning so much!"

"I don't suppose you've seen my wedding dress--" Saffron began.

"No," Beth interjected. "But, it's not for lack of trying. Lavender will not let anyone see it."

"She did tell me she's almost done," Saffron said as she and Alexa sat down. "So... soon."

"You're not getting cold feet, are you?" Mimi teased.

"Never," Saffron replied. "Hey, Audrey."

"Hi," Audrey said. "Can I get you girls a drink?"

"I'll take a white wine," Mimi said.

"And what about you?" Audrey asked looking at Alexa. "What is it that YOU want?"

Alexa looked taken aback by her tone. "Um... nothing for me... thanks."

"Lex, come on," Saffron said. "You have to have something."

Alexa was surprised to see Audrey glare at her.

"She'll have a white wine too," Saffron told Audrey. "And I'll just have club soda since I'm nursing."

"You're still nursing?" Mimi asked. "I thought you put her on bottles."

"Well, I am still expressing the milk for her;” Saffron started to explain, but laughed at the expression on Beth's face. "Sorry, Beth. We can talk about something else."

"That would be nice," Beth said. "Not that I think it's bad, it's just sort of..."

Saffron giggled. "Its okay, Beth."

Audrey excused herself to put their drink order in and saw RJ and his friends were just entering the pub. She smiled when she saw him.

He also saw her and headed over. "Hey," he said with a grin.

She pecked him on the cheek. "Saffy and the girls are in the back."

"Okay," he replied. "Are you joining us?"

"I'll be in and out," Audrey told him. "You lot get to order me around tonight."

"Ooooh," RJ said. "That sounds kinky..."

Audrey nudged him. "Behave."

"Only until later," he said in her ear.

Audrey smiled, feeling stupid for behaving the way she had with Alexa a few minutes ago. RJ loved her and Alexa was in his past.

RJ gave her a squeeze around the waist and headed into the back.

"The better man is here," RJ said puffing his chest out as he walked into the back room.

Saffron rolled her eyes. "Shut it, RJ."

"Whatever you say, Sassy," RJ returned.

Alexa stood up and walked over to him. She gave him a hug. RJ smiled at her. "How's it going, Lex?"

"Okay," Alexa replied.

He tugged affectionately on her ponytail. "Tonight's going to be fun. Don't worry about Doctor Dumb..."

"Don't call him that," Alexa chided. "Come on..."

"Right," RJ said following her to the table. "We have parties to plan."

"Yes we do," Alexa replied as Audrey came back in with drinks.

Saffron smiled warmly at Audrey. She could not believe how far they had come. Saffron had nearly sabotaged Audrey's relationship with RJ at the beginning and now they were friends.

"So what's on the agenda tonight?" Audrey asked, setting down drinks in front of everyone.

"Planning my hen weekend," Saffron said. "Which you are invited to, you know."

"When is it?" Audrey asked. "I'll have to make sure I tell Jon so he doesn't schedule me."

Saffron gave her the date. "Think you can manage it?"

Audrey nodded. "I'll find out for sure."

Saffron smiled. "If Jon gives you a hard time, just let me know."

"Hey I have some pull there too," RJ said. "I'll make sure you're not working."

Audrey laughed. "Thanks."

"Okay," Alexa said. "The hen night... I had a few ideas, but you lot may be able to help me until I get back here over the summer."

"We'll do whatever we can," Beth assured her.

"Thank you," Alexa said in relief.

"One thing Andrew and I both agreed on," Saffron said. "No strippers."

A couple of members of Andrew's Quidditch team groaned in response.

"Sorry guys," Saffron replied. "We just don't want to go there."

"You can have a good time without seeing some girl take her clothes off," Mimi pointed out to the boys.

Saffron looked over at RJ. "I hope you aren't too disappointed. Andrew said he was going to talk to you."

"I'm not disappointed," RJ reassured her. "You've seen one naked girl..."

Audrey gave him a hard poke.

RJ grinned innocently at her.

Saffron shook her head. "You are something else, RJ."

Alexa laughed. "Okay, okay. No strippers. I was thinking that perhaps, we could all start out together at a restaurant..."

"I thought perhaps us girls could hit up a club," Mimi said.

"That could be fun," Saffron said. "It's been ages since I've gone out dancing."

RJ looked at Andrew's team. "He mentioned something about going to see a football match."

"Sounds okay," one of his teammates said thoughtfully.

"I'll work on making arrangements for that then," RJ said. "I might need a little help with the Muggle money."

"I can help with that," Audrey offered.

"Thanks," RJ said. "Maybe we can get one of those boxes where they bring you all the food and stuff."

Alexa and RJ shared a look. "No chilli cheese fries?" she asked teasingly.

"If they have them," he replied with a grin.

"And nachos," Alexa laughed.

"And those big pretzels," RJ said eagerly. "And--"

"What are you two going on about?" Mimi asked.

"All the food we had at the basketball game we went to," RJ said. "It was bloody brilliant."

Audrey walked out of the back room to check on her other customers. She did not want to hear about the great time RJ and Alexa had together at that bloody game. She told herself again how stupid it was to be jealous of Alexa. RJ had told her they were just friends and she wanted to believe him.

She did believe him, Audrey told herself. RJ hadn't given her any reason to doubt his feelings for her.

"Hi," Alexa said tapping her on the shoulder. Audrey turned around in surprise. "Oh, did you want another drink?"

"No," Alexa replied. "I just... is everything okay?"

Audrey nodded. "Yes, of course. Why?"

"We've always been friendly and tonight it seems like we have some issues is all..." Alexa said. "I don't know if it's about RJ--"

Now, Audrey felt terrible. "No, it's just been a long night for me. We're okay, Alexa. Really."

"Are you sure?" Alexa asked. "I really like you, Audrey. And I think you're great for RJ."

Audrey smiled. "Thanks, Alexa. I like you, too."

Alexa was relieved. "I hope you'll come back and join us again soon."

"I'd like that," Audrey said. "I just have a few minutes left in my shift."

"Great," Alexa replied. "I would love your input on Saffron's hen night."

"You know, she might like going to a spa one day that weekend," Audrey suggested. "You know massages, facials, manicures..."

"That's a great idea," Alexa brightened.

"Pampering is always fun," Audrey said.

"Especially that weekend," Alexa nodded. "I'll have Beth ask Saffy's aunt Lavender about a good spa to go to."

Audrey followed Alexa back to where the others were sitting. She handed her boyfriend another beer.

"Thanks," he said, drawing her down into the chair next to him and putting an arm around her.

"You'd better leave me a good tip," she told him.

"I have a good tip for you," RJ flirted.

Saffron made a face. "Would you please stop? I'm trying to eat here."

RJ leaned and whispered something in Audrey's ear, making the brunette turn a brilliant shade of red.

Alexa watched the two of them, but did not feel jealous. She knew how happy RJ was with Audrey and she was happy for her friend. Any feelings she had entertained were nostalgic ones. She could not go back to how things were, but she had a good friend now who had been there for her when she had needed him most.

"You okay, Lex?" Saffron asked.

Alexa nodded. "I just can't believe you're getting married."

Saffron looked across the room where Andrew was talking with some of his teammates. "Me, either."

"When did he get here?" Alexa asked.

"When you were chatting with Audrey," Saffron said.

Alexa smiled. "I'm going to say hi."

Alexa stood up and walked over to Andrew and tapped him on the shoulder. "Hi, Andrew."

"Lex!" Andrew exclaimed, giving her a hug.

"You missed most of the good planning," she teased.

"I did that on purpose," he joked.

Alexa laughed. "I won't tell Saffy."

"You saved my life," he replied.

Alexa made sure no one was listening before she asked the question she was dying to know. "So, how are your lessons going?"

"So far so good," Andrew said. "I'm meeting with Hermione again tomorrow morning."

"Saffron is going to be so surprised," Alexa said.

"I can't wait to see her face," Andrew gazed over at his fiancée.

"She's going to swoon," Alexa said. "It's so sweet of you to do this for her."

Andrew grinned. "I try."

Alexa smiled. "And it's really sweet of you guys to let me crash at your place all the time."

"You help us out with El," Andrew said.

Alexa waved her hand dismissively. "It's purely selfish on my part."

"Lexie!" Saffron called. "We need you!"

Alexa excused herself and crossed the room to where her friends were sitting. "What's going on?" she asked as she sat back down.

"Where do you think we should have dinner?" Saffron asked.

"You choose," Alexa said.

"I've always liked the Ivy, but you lot know that." Saffron said. "It is awfully expensive though. We can go to that Italian place that all our parents love..."

"If that's what you want, that's what we'll do," Mimi said. She looked around at the girls. "This feels so grown up, doesn't it? I remember how we used to spend all night in our room talking about our weddings."

Saffron laughed. "You and Beth did that, Meems."

"You two totally listened," Mimi said, looking at Alexa and Saffron.

Saffron rolled her eyes. "It was hard not too with the two of you squealing all night."

"And you threatened us," Beth recalled. "I've never been that scared..."

Saffron laughed. "But then I joined in once I started dating Andrew."

Beth draped a napkin over Saffron's head. "With your veil.."

Saffron laughed. "This is attractive."

"Not my best work," Beth said with a grin. "But I had to improvise."

"I can't wait to see my dress," Saffron said. "I always wanted robes up until about a year ago."

"You'll look beautiful as always," Alexa said loyally.

"Thanks Lexie," Saffron said. "At least by then I'll have dropped the rest of my baby weight."

"You can hardly tell you had a baby," Mimi said. "Baby weight..."

"My stomach will never be the same," Saffron said.

"Saf, quit fishing for compliments," Beth said. "You're an athlete!"

"You can't even tell you had a baby," Audrey told her.

"I love you guys," Saffron said smiling at them. "But you're all liars."

"And you are fishing for compliments," Beth said again, nudging her.

Saffron giggled. "No, I'm not!"

"RJ would tell you the truth," Mimi said jokingly.

"You know what really makes me mad?" Audrey asked looking across the room at her boyfriend. "He eats like he does and never, ever gains a stone."

"That's why I hate him," Saffron deadpanned.

Audrey laughed. "His whole family is that way. Tell me...did they make a deal with the devil for that?"

"He and Maddie must have," Saffron grinned. "But you can't hate her. It's physically impossible."

"The Weasleys are such a great family," Mimi said fondly.

"Yes they are," Audrey gazed back at RJ.

RJ caught her eye and smiled at her.

Audrey loved that she still felt a flutter in her stomach when she looked at him.

"Things okay with Aud?" Andrew asked RJ.

RJ nodded. "Just fine."

"Good," Andrew said. "Don't screw it up, mate."

"I'm not," RJ said. "I love Audrey. I have no intentions of losing her."

"Ah, you're growing up!" Andrew teased.

RJ punched his shoulder. "Very funny."

"I try," Andrew said. Music filled the room and some of the couples started to dance together. Saffron walked over to her fiancé and RJ. "I'm not even going to bother to ask you to dance, Andrew. But, you are obligated to dance with me at least once at our wedding."

Andrew shook his head. "I can't get out of it, can I? Saf, I'm rubbish at it, you know that."

"You can handle dancing with me once," Saffron said. "You have to, it's tradition."

"Once," Andrew said putting his arm around her. "And that's it."

Saffron nodded. "Yeah..."

"Charm you feet so he doesn't break your toes," RJ joked.

"You're so funny," Andrew glared at him.

"Thanks," RJ said with a grin.

The only other people who knew about his dancing lessons besides Harry and Hermione were RJ and Alexa, and Andrew had sworn them to secrecy.

Saffron leaned against Andrew. "I'll be so happy I don't think I'll notice if you do step on my toes."

Andrew smiled at her. "I'll do my best not to, Saf. I promise."

She smiled back at him before leaning in for a kiss.

"Love you," Andrew whispered in her ear.

"Love you," Saffron whispered back.

"Only a few more months," he said.

"I can't wait," Saffron said looping her arms around his neck.

Andrew kissed her again.

"You, me, Ellie and Puddles," Saffron said happily.

"And sooner or later, another one," Andrew nudged her. "El needs a brother or sister don't you think?"

Saffron laughed. "A little later. Right now, I'm happy with what we have."

Andrew nodded. "No rush."

"But I would like her to have a brother or sister," Saffron said thoughtfully. "I love Ethan and Jules and I want her to have that, too."

"She will," Andrew nodded.

"Speaking of which," Saffron said. "Maybe I should check in with mum and dad to see how she's doing."

"I'll go with you," Andrew said.

"Okay," Saffron grinned.

Alexa watched them head for Josh and Jon's office where she knew the fireplace was.

RJ sat down beside her. "So..."

Alexa smiled at him. "This all seems a bit surreal doesn't it?"

"Just a bit," RJ agreed.

"I remember when we found out he fancied her," Alexa reminisced.

"When she was with Peter," RJ said motioning to the other boy, who was laughing at something Beth was saying.

"THAT seems so long ago," Alexa said.

"THAT seems like it never happened," RJ said shaking his head. "I can't even picture her with Peter now. Or Andrew with Natalia..."

Alexa shook her head. "Andrew and Saffron were meant to be."

"And what about you and Gabe?" RJ asked.

Alexa shrugged.

"You have to do what makes you happy," RJ told her. "And you know Saf, Andrew and me...we're all here for you."

"I know," Alexa nodded. "I'll figure things out eventually. I thought perhaps I'd write him a letter... maybe he'd read that."

RJ smiled at her. "Maybe."

"If I write it would you read it and tell me what you think?" Alexa ventured.

"Of course," RJ replied.

"Thanks," Alexa said gratefully.

Alexa did not know what the future held for her and Gabe. Things had changed so much over the past months and for the first time, she was picturing herself without him.

"You'll be all right either way," RJ assured her.

"I think so too," Alexa said thoughtfully.

"So when is the next basketball game?" RJ asked eagerly. "I'm really anxious to have more of that food."

Alexa smiled. "Next weekend?"

RJ nodded eagerly. "Oh. Um... do you mind if Aud comes along?"

Alexa grinned. "Of course. I'd love you both to come."

"Cool," RJ said. "Last time I think she felt a little left out."

"I don't want to cause problems," Alexa began.

"You aren't," RJ told her. "Audrey knows where she and I stand. And she knows that you and I are friends."

Alexa smiled. "Good."

"What's up?" Audrey asked joining them.

"Lex invited you and me to a basketball game next weekend," RJ told her.

"Oh?" Audrey asked.

Alexa nodded. "We can make fun of RJ as he drools over chilli cheese fries and nachos."

Audrey smiled. "That sounds like fun."

RJ put his arm around Audrey. "It does."

"I'm in," Audrey said. "But you may have to explain basketball to me."

"You'll get to meet Lex's flatmate," RJ told her. "She makes Beth look like Albert Einstein."

Audrey laughed. "I can't believe you know who Einstein is."

"I do," RJ said nudging her. "I'm not as dumb as you think I am, you know."

"I never said that," Audrey nudged him back.

"That's right," RJ said. "That was Saffron who said that."

"There's a big surprise," Alexa said dryly.

The rest of the evening went by pretty quickly. Alexa had enjoyed catching up with her friends, especially Beth and Mimi since she did not get to see them as often.

"So perhaps you and Gabe are next to walk down the aisle?" Beth asked her coyly.

Alexa's smile faltered. "Um..."

"You aren't going to let that hunk go," Mimi said innocently.

Saffron rescued her best friend. "Lexie's really knackered with the time difference and all. We're going to go and pick up Ellie and head on home."

"Well we'll see you tomorrow," Beth said. "To go see your DRESS!!"

Saffron grinned. "Absolutely!"

"Are we meeting for breakfast?" Mimi asked.

Saffron nodded. "Yes. I thought we'd meet at the diner around nine?"

"Great," Beth nodded.

"Come on," Andrew said putting one arm around Saffron and the other around Alexa. "Let's go get El."

"If your parents let her go," Alexa joked.

Saffron laughed. "I know, right?"

"Wait till she starts teething," Andrew said.

Saffron shook her head. "Ellie will be perfect with her teething. No crying..."

Andrew and Alexa shared a look.

"Don't look at me like that," Saffron said confidently. "She will be."

"Sure," Andrew replied.

The three of them used the fireplace in Jon and Josh's office and arrived at Harry and Hermione's a few minutes later. "Mum?" Saffron called out.

"In here," Hermione replied from the kitchen.

Saffron led the way to the kitchen. "Hi, Mum."

"How was your night?" Hermione greeted.

"Great," Saffron replied giving her mother a hug. "Where's Dad?"

"In the sitting room with Ellie," Hermione told her.

Saffron excused herself to go and find them and her heart melted when she saw her father sitting in his old, favourite chair with Ellie fast asleep in his arms.

Saffron smiled. She almost hated to wake her up.

She sat down on the sofa and watched them for a few moments. "Dad," she said softly.

Harry looked over at her. "Hey sweetheart. Did you have fun tonight?"

Saffron nodded. "Probably not as much fun as you did."

Harry grinned as he looked down at his sleeping granddaughter. "She had a big night. Ethan and Maddie came by with Kiera and Gwyn."

Saffron smiled. "I hate that I missed them."

"They were sorry to miss you too," Harry gently eased himself up.

"Thank you for watching her for us tonight," Saffron said.

"Anytime," Harry told her, passing the infant back to her.

Ellie did not wake to Saffron's relief. She hugged her daughter to her and kissed the top of her head.

Harry gazed at his daughter holding her own child. Sometimes he still couldn't believe his baby was a mother.

"Everything okay?" Saffron asked him.

Harry nodded. "Just fine, love."

Saffron looked at him. "I love you, Daddy."

"I love you too sweetheart," Harry kissed the top of her head.

"You and I still have a date for the golf course," Saffron reminded him.

"So you can whip me," Harry said. "Right..."

"Harry Potter can't be great at EVERYTHING," Saffron teased.

"Don't tell anyone," Harry replied.

"Ellie and I will keep your secret," Saffron said with a grin.

Harry laughed. "That's my girl."

Andrew, Alexa and Hermione joined them. "She was an absolute angel, Saffy," Hermione told her.

"That's my girl," Saffron kissed Ellie's head.

"She gets that from me," Andrew said.

"Saffy was a good baby," Hermione said.

"Then she learned to talk," Harry quipped.

Hermione swatted at her husband. "Harry, that's not true!"

"Thanks Dad," Saffron said sarcastically.

"I'm only teasing," Harry told her.

"Better be," Saffron replied.

Hermione handed Andrew the baby's bag.

"Thanks again for letting us get a night out," Andrew said. "I'll see you to-- soon..."

Hermione nodded. "Of course."

"Bye Mr. and Mrs. Potter," Alexa said.

"Bye, Alexa," Hermione said. "It's good to see you."

"You too," Alexa said sincerely. She missed this so much.

"Mum, you're going to be there tomorrow, right?" Saffron asked. "I want you to be there when I see my dress."

"With bells on," Hermione promised. It would mean cutting her session with Andrew a little short, but perhaps Harry could make it up by giving him a few pointers.

Saffron smiled. "I couldn't imagine doing it without you."

Hermione hugged her daughter. "I can't believeyou're getting married."

Saffron smiled. "Me, either."

Ellie let out a little cry. "We should get her home," Andrew said.

"Good night," Saffron said softly.

The three of them headed back with Ellie in tow, and Andrew put her to bed while Saffron and Alexa went into the kitchen.

"Saffy?" Alexa asked.

"Yeah?" Saffron answered.

"I think---I think I'm going to come home after this semester is over," Alexa said. "No, that's not right. I know that's what I want to do."

Saffron gaped at her. "You mean not go back to school?"

"To transfer to a school here," Alexa said. "I don't fit in there, you know? All the time that I'm there, I'm wishing I was here."

"Lexie..." Saffron said softly. "Why didn't you say you were so unhappy?"

Alexa shrugged. "You had so much going on and you were so happy. I didn't want to burden you with my troubles..."

"I knew you were upset but I didn't know you were ready to come home," Saffron said. "I'll always be happy to listen if you need to talk about something like that."

Alexa felt tears welling up in her eyes. "Oh, Saffy."

Saffron moved over and hugged her tightly.

"I still have to tell my parents," Alexa said.

"They'll understand," Saffron reassured her. "You know they just want you to be happy."

Alexa nodded. "I know. I just---I feel like I went there for all the wrong reasons. I know that's what they thought. That was I just following Gabe..."

"But you didn't just go there for him," Saffron said.

"That's what a lot of people thought," Alexa said.

"I knew better," Saffron said.

Alexa smiled at her. "Thanks, Saffy."

"You're my best friend," Saffron said. "I know you almost better than you know yourself."

Alexa nodded. "Yes, you do. You always have."

"Which is why I'll always be here for you," Saffron promised.

Alexa smiled. "Thanks for everything, Saf. You and Andrew have been great."

"Cause we love you," Saffron grinned at her.

Alexa felt like a huge weight had been lifted off of her shoulders. Now that she had made up her mind, she felt like she was taking control of her life for a change.

"I'm tired," Saffron said. "I think I'll go to bed. You know where everything is if you want something."

"I'm going to turn in also," Alexa said. "It's been a long day."

"I'll be up early with Ellie," Saffron told her. "So just get ready and we'll head out whenever."

Alexa nodded. "To see your dress!"

Saffron grinned. "I am SO excited!"

"Me too," Alexa agreed. She looked at her friend. "Good night, Saffy."

"Night Lexie," Saffron said. "Everything will work itself out."

Alexa nodded, thinking that for the first time that was actually true.

"See you in the morning," Saffron said disappearing into her bedroom.

"Everything alright?" Andrew asked as Saffron closed the door to their room.

Saffron nodded. "Lexie just needed to get some things off her chest is all."

Andrew came over to her and put his arms around her.

Saffron leaned against him. "I'm glad I have everything I want."

Andrew grinned. "Me, too."

Saffron gave him a kiss. "Love you, love you, love you."

"Love you," Andrew said softly.

Saffron slid into bed and snuggled next to him. "I like when the nights are still cool." she said.

"So you can do this?" Andrew asked teasingly.

"You know it," Saffron said, resting her arm over his chest.

"So, I can't come along and see you in your dress?" he asked.

"Don't even think about it," Saffron scoffed.

Andrew laughed. "No sense tempting fate, right?"

"We've had enough bad luck," Saffron replied.

"For three lifetimes," Andrew said holding her close.

"So we're doing everything by the book," Saffron replied.

"To the letter," Andrew agreed.

Saffron smiled and kissed him again. "After the wedding... we can start on a sibling for Ellie."

Andrew grinned. "Really?"

Saffron nodded. "I wouldn't mind a second..."

"Try for a boy?" Andrew asked.

"One of each," Saffron laughed. "Does that mean if number two is a girl, we'll go for three?"

"Maybe," Andrew laughed, too.

"I hope you plan on carrying at least one of them," Saffron poked him.

"Impossible," Andrew said tickling her.

Saffron laughed. "Andrew! Stop!"

"I don't think so," Andrew said. "It's so much fun making you squirm.."

Saffron hit his arm. "You git."

"Ow!" Andrew yelped.

"Serves you right," Saffron said, rolling herself on top of him.

"Yeah?" Andrew challenged.

"Uh huh," she answered, running her fingers through his messy hair.

"You should be nice to me, you know," Andrew said. "I'm going to have put up with you for the rest of my life."

"Yes I know," she said. "And you'll love every minute of it!"

Andrew grinned. "I love you."

Saffron smiled at him. "McDreamy."

Andrew rolled his eyes. "Saf, I hate that name..."

"It does suit you," Saffron told him, kissing him lightly.

"It's not so bad when you call me that, but the team ..." Andrew said shaking his head.

"Won't let you live it down?" she asked.

Andrew nodded. "Not at all."

"Well then from now on I'll only call you that here," she whispered in his ear.

Andrew smiled. "I'd like that."

"Anything for you," Saffron said softly.

Saffron rested her head on his chest and listened to the sound of Ellie's breathing from the monitor. It was such a soothing sound that it did not take long for her to fall asleep.

Andrew stayed awake for a few more moments, stroking Saffron's hair and just thinking about his life.

In a short time, he and Saffron would be married. The girl he had loved for all these years would finally be his wife. They had a daughter that they loved very much. Andrew did not want to take any of it for granted.

317. Chapter 317 Building Bridges

Authors' note: Thanks you guys so much for the response to the last chapter! We really appreciate you guys reading every week! You guys are the best! We hope you enjoy this latest chapter!

Three days. Three days of having Hans home, so to speak, Darla thought. The first night, he could not have been more like his old self. He had made dinner for her and had even changed every single one of Rafe's nappies. That had continued onto the next day until around lunch when he had to skip out because his London management team wanted to meet with him.

He hadn't returned until nearly midnight, long after she had put Rafe down for the night.

Now today, he was getting himself ready for another meeting with a new agent in London. "I shouldn't be gone long," he said to her.

"Of course," Darla said giving him a half smile.

"Are you all right?" he asked.

Darla poured herself another cup of tea. "Fine."

"You sure?" Hans asked. "I know I didn’t' get back until late last night, but Rick my agent over here, took me to an industry party."

"It's fine," Darla replied, not really wanting to get into a fight with him. She turned her attention to Rafe who was sitting happily in his bouncy seat.

She smiled at her son. "Hello my handsome boy."

Rafe giggled and held up his little hand to her.

Darla lifted him up and hugged his little body to her.

Hans grinned at her. "A charmer just like his dad."

"Yes he is," Darla said. "He's a little flirt with women."

Hans helped himself to a glass of juice. "Maybe we can grab some lunch later? Take him to the park?"

Darla looked at him in surprise. "That would be nice," she agreed.

Hans grinned. "I'll ring you when I'm finished."

"What time do you think that might be?" she asked. "I have a few errands to run."

"One?" Hans replied thoughtfully.

"Okay," Darla agreed.

He pecked her on the cheek and then kissed the top of Rafe's head. "Wish me luck."

"Break a leg," Darla smiled at him.

Hans grinned back at her before he disapparated, leaving Darla and Rafe alone.

"Well my little guy," Darla looked at her son. "Should we get you dressed?

Rafe just looked at her in response. Darla laughed. "We'll take that as a yes."

Rafe grinned at her as she changed him into a little pair of jeans and a jumper. The weather was finally warming up but it was still just a touch chilly.

Darla picked up his shoes and laughed at the look on Rafe's face. He hated wearing shoes.

"You only have to wear them until it warms up." she said, trying to put one onhis kicking foot.

Rafe shook his head. "There's another thing you have in common with your father," Darla commented.

Rafe let out an angry cry when she successfully put the shoes on his feet.

Darla tickled his side. "Too bad Liam's not here. He's the only one who could get you in them without a fuss."

Rafe looked around for Liam, then back at his mother. "No love, he's not here." she said.

Rafe's lower lip trembled and he reached for Darla.

She kissed the side of his head. "How about we go see him?" Darla asked her son. "You miss him don't you?"

Rafe nodded.

"All right," Darla said. "We'll go visit him."

She thought about ringing him first, but she did not want to give him the chance to push her away.

She quickly got herself ready to go then left the house with Rafe in tow.

If she was being honest, Darla was looking forward to seeing Liam, too. It had been days since she had seen him and she wanted to catch up or at the very least let him know she would be there for him if he needed her.

She knew he was upset about the situation with his mother- and she also knew his brother was no help at all and the stress of everything was left to fall on his shoulders. That alone had to be difficult.

Darla look the lift to Liam's flat and knocked on the door. There was no response and Darla knocked again. She was about to turn and walk away when the door swung open. Liam stood there looking like he had just gotten out of bed. He wore nothing but a pair of pyjama bottoms.

He rubbed sleepily at his eyes. "Darla?"

"Hi," she said softly. "I'm sorry... we woke you up?"

He nodded. "I--I was on call last night. Um, come in..."

She smiled at him. "Rafe missed you... and... I've missed you too."

Liam stood back so she could enter the flat. "Uh, give me just a second. I'll put on a shirt."

"Sure," Darla nodded.

While he was gone, Darla lifted Rafe out of his pram.

She carried him into the sitting room and was surprised to see how messy his place was. Normally he was quite neat.

Liam came back into the room and Rafe reached for him. To Darla's relief, Liam smiled and lifted Rafe into his arms. "Hi, mate," Liam said.

"I had a heck of a time putting his shoes on this morning," Darla tried to joke. "You're the only one he allows to do it."

"It's all in the voice," Liam told her. He sat down with Rafe.

"I suppose you're right," Darla cleared off a spot on the sofa. "So um... what's new?"

"Working," Liam replied, laughing as Rafe reached up to touch his cheek.

"Lizzy mentioned that you lot have been busy," Darla replied.

"Flu season," Liam said. "Kind of like June for you wedding planners."

Darla smiled. "Good analogy."

"So, how've you been?" Liam asked.

"Pretty good," Darla said. "Hans is back home."

"Oh," Liam said quietly.

"I don't know what's going to happen there," Darla said thoughtfully.

"Back home or back with you?" Liam asked.

"Not sure," she confessed. "He wants us to try and work things out, but I'm not sure that I want to."

Liam just shook his head.

"What?" she asked.

"Nothing," Liam said handing Rafe back to her.

"If you have something to say--" she began.

"Going back to him after what he put you through?" Liam asked angrily.

"I just said I don’t' know," Darla said defensively. "He's my husband, and we have a child together. It's not that easy to forget."

"You sound like my mother," Liam shot back.

Darla narrowed her eyes. "What is your problem?"

"Nothing," Liam said turning away from her. "Things…things aren't going too well for my mother."

"What happened?" Darla asked, softening her tone.

Liam did not answer her.

"You can tell me," she urged.

He turned around and looked at her and Darla's heart broke when she saw there were tears in his eyes. "Liam..."

"She just doesn't get it," he said angrily. "He's always going to hurt her and she just won't leave him."

"Oh, Liam," Darla said standing up with Rafe.

He just shook his head. "I'm sick of it."

"Something else happened?" Darla asked gently. "Since she went home?"

"It's just everything," he said. "Connor is absolutely no help at all. He'd just as soon pretend none of it exists."

Darla wished she knew something to say to make him feel better; to let him know that none of this was his fault. "At least she knows that you'll be here if she needs you."

"I'm the only one," he muttered.

Darla looked at him. "Well, you're not alone, Liam."

"I'm not?" he asked. "Really..."

Darla shook her head. "No, you have Rafe and me. We've missed you."

"You don't know what this feels like," Liam told her.

"No, but I want to help you," Darla said.

"You can't," he said, standing up.

"I can if you let me," Darla argued. "Liam---"

"How would you know how to help?" he asked. "Your parents are happy together. Your father would never dream of hurting your mother."

"I might not have been through it but I'm your friend, Liam," Darla argued. "Look, I know you're angry, but you can't push everyone that cares about you away."

"Well I just have to take care of this on my own," Liam told her. "As usual, everything that goes on in this family falls to me."

Rafe squirmed in Darla's arms.

Liam sighed. "Look, there's just nothing you can do. I have to deal with this."

"If you want to talk about this, I just want you to know that I'm here," Darla said. "Liam, next to my sister, you're my best friend. I've told you things that I haven't even told her. You were there for me when I was at my lowest."

Liam looked at her properly.

"What?" Darla asked softly.

"I appreciate the fact that you want to help, but you can't."

Darla sighed in defeat.

"I guess Rafe and I should go," she said when Liam remained silent.

"I'll see you out," Liam told her.

"It's all right," Darla said, picking up Rafe's bag. "I know where the door is."

"Thanks for stopping by," Liam said quietly.

"Sure," she said, her tone heavy with disappointment.

"Darla?" Liam asked.

"What?" she asked coolly.

"Take care of yourself," Liam said looking at her.

"You say that like I'm never going to see you again," Darla remarked.

Liam shook his head. "I'm busy, you know? You're busy with work and...Hans."

"You really have no idea," Darla replied.

"You're right," Liam said, suddenly angry at her. "I have no idea how you could go back to someone like him."

"You're a jerk," Darla snapped. "You haven't talked to me in weeks, when I just wanted to help you."

"I'm the jerk?" Liam asked incredulously.

"Yes," she said furiously.

"That's rich," Liam retorted.

"Whatever," Darla said. "I've got to go."

She glared at him one last time, putting Rafe in his pram.

Liam just shook his head. "Maybe you should start bringing him to Lizzy if you're so unhappy with me."

Darla sighed. "Liam...what the hell is wrong with you?"

"You should ask yourself that," he said before closing the door.

Darla stared at the door for a few moments. What had just happened in there? She had gone over there just to see how he was doing and offer him her friendship and it had somehow turned into the worst row they'd ever had.

Biting her lower lip, she pushed the pram outside and began heading towards the park. She still had awhile before she was due to meet Hans.

She tried to tell herself that he was upset at the situation and not at her, but it was not helping. Her situation with Hans was completely different from what his mother was facing with Liam's father.

But that still didn't excuse him passing judgement on her life with Hans.

Darla peered into the pram and smiled when she saw Rafe sleeping.

"You are the only truly bright spot in my life," she whispered to her son.

Darla pushed the pram over to a bench and sat down. The weather was very nice today and that was a consolation to her.

"I suppose we should wait here for your father," she said rocking the pram back and forth a little bit. "Maybe he'll be early for a change."

He was not early, but he was not all that late. He arrived about ten minutes past one and he was grinning. Darla looked up at him. "I take it your meeting went well, then?"

"Yeah," Hans said his grin widening. "My new agent already booked me on two shoots."

Darla smiled. "Congratulations. That's great news."

"Thanks," Hans leaned down and gave her a quick kiss.

"What are the shoots for?" Darla asked conversationally.

"One's for some Muggle jeans," Hans replied. "And the other is for a local designer."

"That's great," Darla said. "Especially that the shoots are here in London."

"Well one of them is," Hans said. "The local designer. The other is in Greece."

"Oh," Darla said. "Well, that's still great news."

"I leave tonight," Hans said. "I'll be gone for three days."

The smile on Darla's face faltered. "Three days?"

"This is going to be good for me," Hans said. "Get me back out there."

Darla nodded. "And then you'll be back here?"

"Should be," Hans said. "Unless I get booked somewhere else."

Darla did not begrudge him his success, but this kind of went against what he had promised her. "Of course," she said quietly.

"But I'll definitely be back for the weekend," Hans said. "We'll take this little guy out and about on the town."

"Oh, yeah?" Darla asked as he put n arm around her.

"Absolutely," Hans said, looking into the pram.

"He loves the park," Darla commented.

"How long has he been out?" Hans asked. "If he wakes up soon we can play with him."

"About half an hour," Darla replied. '

"How long does he usually sleep?" Hans asked.

Darla looked at him in surprise. "Hans, he's your son. You should know that."

“Well I don’t know if his kips are longer or not,” Hans said a bit defensively.

"Usually he kips in the morning for an hour," Darla said. "But they've been getting shorter."

"Is that a good thing?" Hans asked.

Despite herself, Darla laughed. "Not really, but Liam says..."

Hans's face dropped at the mention of Liam.

"Liam says that's normal," Darla finished.

"Right," Hans said, pushing the blanket back a bit.

"But you had to notice this when he was with you during the holidays," Darla commented.

"Dar..." Hans looked at her properly. "Let's not pick a fight."

"I'm not picking a fight," Darla said defensively.

"Okay," Hans said. "How about we grab a bite to eat?"

Darla nodded. "That sounds lovely, actually."

He smiled at her. "Good. I'm starved."

"We could go to Jon and Josh's," Darla said thoughtfully.

"Is that nearby?" Hans asked. "I haven't been there in a long time."

Darla was again hit by the realisation that Hans really did not know that much about her life now. "Um, it's just down the street..."

"Great," Hans pushed the pram with one hand and took hers with the other.

It felt like old times in some ways but in many ways it seemed foreign.

"What do you want to do tonight?" he asked her.

Darla looked over at him. "I don't know. Did you have anything in mind?"

"Something quiet, maybe." Hans said. "We can just hang out together."

Darla had expected him to suggest going to some club. "I'd like that."

"Have we got any new movies?" he asked.

Darla nodded. "I picked up some new ones when I was --" Her voice trailed off as she remembered a shopping trip with Liam where she had picked up some movies. That had been a fun day, she recalled. "A little while ago."

"Cool," Hans smiled at her.

They made it to the pub and the smile on Hans' face fell when he saw Ron and Luna sitting at a table.

"Maybe we shouldn't eat here," he mumbled.

Darla squeezed his hand. "Come on, it's just my parents and they just spotted us."

"They hate me," he said quietly.

"They do not," Darla said waving at her parents. "Come on."

Hans put a smile onto his face as they approached Ron and Luna.

"What a nice surprise!" Luna exclaimed, standing up to welcome them.

"Hi Mum," Darla kissed her mother's cheek. "We thought we'd grab something to eat."

Luna smiled. "Why don't you join us? I can look at my grandson..."

"Hans," Ron nodded to him. "It's good to see you."

Hans extended his hand. "Good to see you too."

Darla smiled. "Good timing too. Rafe's just waking up."

Luna peered down at her grandson and grinned. "Can I?"

"Of course, Mum." Darla replied. "You know he loves you."

Luna lifted her grandson out of the pram and hugged him to her. "That's my boy. How did you sleep? Hmm?"

Rafe grinned at her. "Hi!"

Luna grinned back. "Hi, sweetheart."

"He's growing to look like his daddy," Darla said.

"Ah, he's cuter than me," Hans said sitting down.

"He's a little flirt," Darla said. "We were at the shops a few days ago and he was just charming all the women who worked there."

Luna knew her husband well enough to know when a smart remark was coming and she shot him a look.

Ron stuffed a piece of bread in his mouth so he wouldn't talk.

"Hans met with his London agents today," Darla told them. "He's booked two photo shoots."

"That's wonderful, Hans." Luna said. "Tell us about them."

He told them the details of the shoots and talked excitedly about the upcoming one in Greece. Darla tried to listen, but her mind was on Liam.

It hurt her so much to hear what he had to say about Hans. She knew neither man was fond of the other, but she cared about them both.

"Ma," Rafe said, breaking into her thoughts.

Darla smiled. "I love hearing him talk."

"I remember saying the same thing about your brothers," Ron said dryly.

Darla laughed. "And then they never stopped."

"Especially Jon," Ron said shaking his head.

"What was that?" Jon asked. "I heard my name, and I'm sure right before it was something like charming, handsome..."

"Of course," Luna said smiling at him. She bounced Rafe on her knee. "Say hello to your Uncle Jon, Rafe."

"Hi," Rafe looked up at him.

Jon grinned. "Hi, mate."

"Hold," Rafe reached for him.

Jon picked him up. "Do you want to go see Adam?"

The little boy’s eyes lit up at his cousin's name. "I think he likes that idea," Darla said.

Jon carried him to the back. Darla leaned back in her chair and smiled at her father. She was glad that he was being civil.

"So are you planning on sticking around in London, Hans?" Ron asked him.

Hans nodded. "This is home, right?"

"Sure is," Ron replied. "Where your wife and son are."

"Absolutely," Hans agreed.

Ron nodded and suddenly smiled at him.

Hans put his arm around Darla. "This is our second chance"

Darla smiled a bit uncomfortably. "Sure," she agreed cautiously. "We're trying."

Hans did not notice the look on her face. His mobile phone began to ring and he excused himself to take the call.

Luna watched him go. "He seems very optimistic."

"We're trying," Darla said again.

Luna nodded. "Do what's right for Rafe, and yourself."

"I just wish I knew what it was," Darla replied.

"You'll know sooner or later," Luna reassured her.

"Thanks, Mum," Darla said.

"In the meantime, you know your father and I are always here for you and Rafe." Luna told her.

Darla nodded. "I do know that. I love you both very much."

Ron smiled at her. "We love you too sweetheart, and we're so proud of you."

Darla felt so lucky to have parents like hers. They loved their children and they loved each other. It was a shame that Liam's parents could not be like this. She cursed herself for thinking about him yet again.

"Hi!" Rafe called out from across the room where Jon was carrying him back out, Adam also in tow.

"Hi, Adam!" Darla exclaimed holding out her arms. "Look at how big you're getting!"

"I know," Adam replied, giving her a hug.

Darla laughed. "How's your Mummy?"

"Okay," Adam said. "But no fun."

"That's what you have your dad for," Jon said. "We can play until Mummy has Olivia."

"We play cars," Adam said to his aunt.

"Em," Rafe said looking around. Adam frowned.

"No Em," Adam told his cousin. "Em was bad."

Darla looked at Jon. "Was she?"

"Just more with her ADHD," Jon replied. "Medicine doesn't seem to help her."

"Poor Em," Darla said sympathetically.

"It’s not easy, but we deal as best we can," Jon told her.

"If I can do anything, let me know," Darla said.

"Thanks," Jon said to his sister.

Darla took Rafe back from her brother just as Hans returned to the table.

"Everything all right?" Jon asked him.

Hans nodded. "Yes, of course."

"Good," Jon said, glancing at his sister.

The waitress brought out their food and Darla was happy for the distraction.

"How is it with Allie not being here?" Darla asked Jon.

"I miss having her here, but she's doing what's best for her and the baby," Jon replied. "And everyone's helping out."

"I will have to stop by with Rafe in the next few days," Darla said.

Jon looked at Darla. "Dar, can you actually ask Liam if he could give us a call? Lizzy said he had experience working with kids who have attention-deficit issues. I'd really like it if he could meet with Emma."

Darla turned red. "Um... you might want to talk to Lizzy to get in touch with him."

Jon raised an eyebrow. "You can't ask him for me?"

"I won't be seeing him for awhile," Darla murmured.

Luna put her hand on Darla's arm. "Sweetheart, why not?"

"I don't want to talk about it," she said.

Everything seemed to fall into place for Hans. That was why she had been so upset or seemed so distant earlier. But, if she was having issues with that Thornhart...that could only bode well for him.

"We just don't see eye to eye anymore," Darla finally said. "That's all."

Jon shrugged. "Okay, I'll talk to Liz about it instead then."

"Good," Darla nodded.

Hans put his arm around his wife. "I've been trying to tell you what a wanker he was."

Darla sighed. "I just said I didn't want to talk about this."

Hans held up his hands in defeat. In her lap, Rafe kicked his feet, obviously wanting out of his shoes. Darla sighed.

"Here buddy," Hans said, "Let's take these off--"

When Hans knelt down, Rafe kicked him in the nose.

Darla gasped. "Hans!"

Hans had put his hand over his nose. For a baby, Rafe was quite a kicker. "I---I think he broke my nose..."

"I don't think it's broken," Darla said. "But we'll go to hospital to be sure."

"It's bleeding," Luna pointed out. Rafe started to cry and Darla hugged him to her. "Its okay, Rafe. Daddy knows you didn't mean to do it."

"I can't bloody believe this," Hans muttered.

"It was an accident," Darla told him.

"I know," Hans said.

Luna handed Hans a napkin. "I'm sure it's going to be fine."

"A spell and a potion and you'll be good as new," Ron nodded.

"Right," Hans mumbled. "Come on Dar..."

"See you all later," Darla said softly.

"Bye, sweetheart," Luna said.

"Come on," Darla said. "We can Apparate and have you fixed up in no time."

"Let's hope so," Hans muttered.

"Hans, he's a baby," Darla said. "You're acting like our son kicked you on purpose."

"I'm sorry," Hans said. "It's just I don't need this right now."

Darla rolled her eyes but didn't say anything else until they arrived at St Mungos.

Thankfully, they were seen fairly quickly.

"There's nothing to treating a broken nose," the healer said cheerfully.

"How long will it take?" Hans asked.

"Just overnight," the healer replied. "Your bones have to mend themselves."

Hans sighed in relief. "Good. I think my son has a career as a footballer in his future."

Darla kissed the side of Rafe's head. The little boy still seemed quite upset.

"It's okay," Darla said patting his back comfortingly. "My sweet boy."

"Let me see him," Hans said once the healer went to mix the potion.

"Go to Daddy," Darla said handing him over to Hans.

"Hey buddy," Hans said.

Rafe rested his head on Hans' shoulder.

"That's my boy," Hans said, his voice softer. "It's all right."

Darla smiled. "Told you."

"Here you are," the healer returned with the potion. "You'll be right as rain by tomorrow morning."

"The last time I had to take this kind of stuff, I was nine and had broken my arm," Hans said. "Any chance the taste has improved over the years?"

"Probably not," the healer replied.

"Man up, Hans," Darla teased taking Rafe back from him.

"Funny, Dar," Hans replied before downing the potion. "Ugh."

"Just take it easy the rest of the day andyou should be fine by tomorrow," the healer told him.

Hans nodded. "I've got to go out of town, so that works out well."

"If you have any other complications just let me know," the healer said before taking his leave.

"Come on," Hans said. "Let's get out of here."

Darla nodded. It had been a long day.

"Home and we'll put in those movies," Hans said. "At least the Muggles have those going for them."

"Right," Darla said following him out of the examination room. She saw Liam at the reception desk talking to a nurse. She was hoping to get past him without him seeing her, but Rafe had other ideas. "HI!" he shouted over her shoulder.

"Oh brother," Hans grumbled. "Why?"

"Let's just go," Darla said.

"Fine with me," Hans said, putting his arm around her.

Liam watched the three of them and shook his head. He saw his colleague, Healer Fitzpatrick writing something on the chart. "Greg, what case did you just work on?"

"Broken nose," Greg replied. "Why?"

"Whose?" Liam asked. "Hers? His? The child?"

"You know I can't tell you that, Liam." Greg replied. "It's against policy."

Liam sighed. "Right."

Greg finished writing the information on the chart and handed it over to a nurse, who gave him another.

Liam felt terrible for the way he had treated Darla this morning. She did not deserve it, but he truly felt it would be best for her to stay away from him.

His family situation would never rectify itself and it was better that he didn't bring anyone else into it.

He just wished he knew why she was at hospital. They seemed perfectly fine when they left, he thought.

He went back over to the desk and casually reached down for the file.

To his relief, the file showed it was Hans who had the broken nose. Greg had given him a dose of Skele-gro.

He briefly wondered how it had happened but stuck the file back before anyone could see him reading it.

Darla deserved so much better than this. But, maybe Hans had turned over a new leaf and was going to be the stand-up bloke his wife and son so obviously wanted him to be.

If that's what made her happy, then that's what Liam wanted for her.

*** *** ***

RJ felt bad that Audrey was feeling neglected by him. They'd had a good time at the basketball game, but he could tell Audrey felt a little ill at ease while he and Alexa had talked and joked together.

With Alexa's help and encouragement, he had planned an evening for himself and Audrey that he hoped would reassure her.

He'd thought about taking her out, but knew she'd appreciate a dinner that he made. He'd set up the dining room with candles and some soft music on the wireless and was keeping the food warm while he waited for her to come home.

The front door opened and Audrey stepped inside. It had been a long day at school and she was grateful that she had the night off from the pub.

"RJ?" she called. "Are you home?"

"Dining room," RJ called back.

"I just had the longest day--" she began, coming into the room.

"Surprise," RJ said grinning at her.

Audrey stopped short and stared. "What's all this?"

"Dinner," RJ replied handing her a glass of wine.

"You made all this?" she asked, impressed.

RJ nodded. "Yes, I did. With no help from anyone."

Audrey smiled. "It smells delicious."

"Your favourites," RJ said holding out a chair for her.

"Thank you," Audrey said, giving him a kiss before she sat down.

RJ disappeared into the kitchen and came back out carrying two salad plates. "The first course..."

"Are you taking over my job for the evening?" she asked with a grin.

"Just for tonight," RJ said setting her plate before her.

"What's all this for?" Audrey asked him.

RJ took his seat across from her and shrugged. "We haven't had a night like this in a while."

"No we haven't," she agreed. "I've missed just being alone with you."

"Well, tonight's the time to make up for that," RJ said smiling at her.

"What else did you have in mind?" Audrey asked.

RJ shook his head. "I'm not telling."

Audrey grinned. "The whole evening's a mystery then..."

"Yes," RJ said. "So, how was your day?"

"Long," Audrey said. "That project I've been working on was due, and then I had to give a presentation."

"How'd that go?" RJ asked.

"Fine," Audrey replied. "I got full marks. I just hate getting up in front of everyone."

RJ reached across the table and squeezed her hand. "I don't see why, Aud."

"Just nerves," Audrey said.

"Weasleys never have a problem getting up and talking," RJ said dryly. "As you've learned..."

"I have," Audrey returned, laughing. "I ought to take a hint from you lot."

"We could give lessons," RJ said. "Especially Em."

"That little girl isn't afraid of anything," Audrey finished her salad.

"Except for an empty plate," RJ said.

Audrey laughed. "Good point."

RJ excused himself and brought back the entree. "I'm sure this isn't as good as when Nana makes it, but I think it turned out okay."

"I'm sure it's wonderful," Audrey reassured him. "You're an excellent cook RJ."

"You're not biased or anything," RJ said with a grin.

"Not with you," Audrey answered. "I'd tell you if you were a rotten cook."

"That's my girl," RJ said watching as Audrey took a bite of the stew.

"It is delicious," Audrey complimented him.

RJ smiled at her. She was beautiful on the inside and out. He loved her very much and did not want to her to feel that she was second best.

"I'm excited to see what you've got for dessert," Audrey told him.

RJ grinned. "You'll see."

"What about you?" Audrey asked. "What did you do with your day aside from make dinner?"

"Practise," RJ replied. "And then I went to Mum and Dad's."

"How are they?" Audrey asked.

"Okay," RJ answered. "Mum's going to talk to Lexie about writing some articles for the paper over the summer."

"That's wonderful," Audrey commented.

"I think so too," RJ said. "Lexie's a great writer."

"I've never read anything of hers," Audrey said. "Perhaps she'll let me once she gets home."

RJ nodded. "I'm sure she would."

Audrey finished her stew. "Have you got any more of this?"

"Coming right up," RJ said, pleased that she obviously liked it.

Audrey watched him in the kitchen as he got her another bowl of stew. This had been such a sweet surprise to come home to.

RJ came back with another bowl of stew for each of them.

"I'll have to let you cook more often," Audrey told him.

RJ laughed. "It's much better than grabbing a sandwich isn't it?"

"You better believe it," Audrey said. "I've been so busy lately, it'll be nice to have things calm down a bit so I can spend more time with you."

"Summer's coming soon," RJ said. "We'll have time off for just each other."

Audrey grinned. "I can't wait. Maybe we can sneak off for a weekend at a bed and breakfast somewhere."

"Yeah, or we could just go to Brighton," RJ said. "No one's really going there this summer with the wedding."

"They're not?" Audrey asked.

RJ shook his head. "Yeah, and Jon and Allie are going to stay close to him with her being on bed rest."

"That might be fun," Audrey nodded. "Have that whole house to ourselves..."

"Without four-year olds bothering us every five seconds," RJ continued.

Audrey leaned over the table to kiss him. "I'm in."

"Just the two of us," RJ said before pressing his lips to hers.

"I love the sound of that," she said. "I think it's just what I need."

"Me too," RJ said. "What with all this wedding stuff. I thought that I wouldn't have to do too much since I'm the best man and all I had to do was show up, but Saffy set me straight."

Audrey laughed. "You have quite a bit to plan for Andrew."

"He's my best mate and Saf's like a sister," RJ said with a shrug.

"I'm happy for them," Audrey said. "Especially for Saffron. It seems like she's finally got everything she wanted."

RJ nodded. "She's been through so much. Sean, the kidnapping..."

"I'd have been done for," Audrey admitted. "That's so much..."

"She's strong," RJ said. "One of the strongest people I know. And I felt bad because the break-up with Andrew was partly my fault."

"It wasn't," she argued. "At least, I don’t' think so. I mean, that was her decision to be angry at you for breaking up with Alexa."

"She's loyal to a fault," RJ said shaking his head.

"Yeah," Audrey nodded. "That's a good quality to have."

"But, everything worked out in the end," RJ said thoughtfully.

"It sure did," Audrey said, sliding around so she was sitting next to him.

"Lexie, Saffy, Andrew and me---we've been through a lot," RJ said. "And it means a lot to me that we're all friends again."

"Of course it does," Audrey reassured him. "Everything is as it should be."

"But, you're a part of that now, too," RJ said.

"A big part," Audrey smiled at him. "And I plan on staying that way."

RJ smiled back at her. "And you have nothing to worry about with Lexie. I love you, Aud."

"I love you too," Audrey said, leaning in so her forehead touched his. "And you do things like this... and it makes me realise I can love you even more."

RJ gave her a kiss.

Audrey slid her arms around his neck. "Can we save dessert for later?" she whispered.

RJ pretended to mull this over. "I don't know..."

Audrey pressed her lips to the side of his neck.

"Okay, you've twisted my arm," RJ said picking her up and carrying her to the bedroom.

While RJ and Audrey reacquainted themselves, Saffron was at her parents' home trying on her dress for Julie to see. Her sister had not been able to attend the final fitting so she hadn't seen the dress.

"Oh, Saffy!" Julie exclaimed. "You look----"

"Beautiful," Lavender finished, watching with pride as Saffron modelled the dress. "Absolutely beautiful."

Saffron wore a huge grin on her face. "It's the most gorgeous wedding gown EVER."

Lavender beamed. "It is, isn't it?"

"You look incredible," Julie said. "Andrew's going to flip."

"Hermione's holding up a little better this time," Lavender teased. "The other day at the fitting, she was sobbing."

"If you thought she was bad, wait until Dad sees her," Julie warned.

Hermione smiled. "I can't help it. She's my baby."

"I'm just happy that I've got my figure back," Saffron said, turning to the side.

Upstairs, Harry had just returned home from work and he called for his wife. When she didn't answer, he went upstairs and heard voices coming from the master bedroom. Harry opened the door and his jaw dropped as he looked at his daughter.

"Hi Daddy!" Saffron beamed at him. "I didn't know you would be home."

"Harry?" Hermione asked walking over to him.

"What?" Harry asked distractedly.

"Daddy?" Saffron asked, smoothing down her dress. "Is something wrong?"

"No, baby." Harry said. "I just can't believe you're getting married."

Saffron smiled at him. "Do you like my dress?"

"You look gorgeous," Harry said.

Lavender grinned at him. "You can admit I'm a genius."

Harry shook his head. "I wouldn't want to lie."

Lavender glared at him. "Shut it, Potter."

"I'm just kidding," Harry said. "You did a great job, Lavender."

"That wasn't so hard, was it?" Lavender told him.

"I don't know about that," Harry joked.

Saffron laughed. "You two never change."

"You can't improve on perfection," Lavender said primly.

"That's what everyone usually says about me," Harry countered.

"Now who's talking about lying?" Lavender said, straightening Saffron's hem.

"Be nice," Saffron told them. "There's a baby present." She motioned to where Julie was holding Ellie.

"Ahhh," Harry said. "There's a face that will always make me smile."

Julie carried her over to Harry. "She's being extra sweet tonight."

Harry took her carefully. "Hello, gorgeous."

Ellie smacked her little lips and looked up at Harry.

"She's getting to look like you, Saffy." Harry said.

Saffron grinned. "That's what Mum keeps telling me."

"She does have Andrew's eyes," Harry commented.

Saffron watched her father and felt a lump in her throat. They had teased him about this, but she could just imagine how hard this was for him. To him, it probably seemed like just yesterday he was holding her in his arms.

"I think this is perfect," Lavender stood back and scrutinized her. "My best one yet."

"Thank you so much, Aunt Lavender," Saffron said softly. "This dress is amazing."

Lavender beamed at her. "Anything for you."

Julie grinned at her sister. "We'll go downstairs so you can change."

"Lav and I will help her out of the dress," Hermione said.

Harry carried Ellie out of the room and followed Julie downstairs.

"Surreal, isn't it?" Julie asked her father. "Seeing Saffy in a wedding dress. It seems like just yesterday, she was playing dress up when I babysat her."

"Tell me about it," Harry said. "I just can't believe she's getting married."

Julie had stopped for pizza on her way over and she set the table while her father held Ellie. "I imagine Nick will be the same way when Katie and Ashley get married."

"it won't be easy for you either," Harry said. "It's sort of the final bit of growing up."

Julie smiled and patted him on the shoulder. "Is that right, Grandpa?"

"I've learned that from experience," Harry said, bouncing Ellie gently.

"You're old hat at this now," Julie said.

"Julie," Harry said. "How many times must I tell you, never use that word when you're talking about me?"

Julie grinned. "Old?"

Harry gave his daughter a look.

Julie laughed. "I'm sorry. How about I get you a slice of pizza to make up for it?"

"When did we get pizza?" Harry asked.

"I brought it over for dinner," Julie said.

"What kind?" Harry asked.

"Just cheese for Saffy," Julie said pointing to one of the boxes. "Mushrooms and peppers for Mum and meat lovers for you."

"You know me too well," Harry opened the box with a wave of his hand. "Thanks Jules."

"No problem," Julie said. "Dad, there is something I wanted to ask you about."

"What's that?" Harry asked.

She told him the story of the Malfoy ring and how Malfoy had been writing to Katie. "I don't understand it, Dad. I really don't. He never cared about them before. Why now?"

Harry was disgusted. "He's probably got some sort of plan."

"Nick thinks so too," Julie said. "He gave the ring back, but who's to say he wouldn't just send it back to her?"

"He probably will," Harry shook his head.

"I don't want him anywhere near her," Julie said. "Him or Ginny."

"With Katie, you just need to let her take the lead but watch her," Harry told his daughter.

Julie nodded. "If he does send her the ring back, would you test it for me? Make sure there aren't any spells or charms?"

"I'll take it in right away," Harry said without hesitation.

"Thanks," Julie said gratefully.

"I'll do anything to keep my granddaughters safe from that wanker," Harry replied.

Julie nodded. "We feel the same."

"Okay," Saffron bounced into the room. "Where's Ellie?"

"Right here," Harry said gently handing the baby to her.

"Thanks for watching her while I got dressed," Saffron kissed her daughter's forehead.

"Of course," Harry said.

"I got you a cheese pizza," Julie told her. "Figured you might be hungry."

Saffron smiled. "Thanks, I'm starving."

"Where's Nick tonight?" Harry asked Julie.

"Recording," Julie replied. "New album."

"Think he'd mind singing a few at the wedding?" Saffron asked.

Julie nodded. "He would love that."

"Great!" Saffron said, taking a huge bite of pizza. "Everything's really coming together. Especially now that I have my dress!"

Lavender and Hermione came into the kitchen. "Something smells delicious!" Lavender exclaimed.

"Greasy, fattening pizza," Harry said.

Hermione swatted at her husband. "Shut it, Harry. Come on, Lav. You can have some pizza."

Lavender wrinkled her nose. "No thank you."

Hermione looked at her. "Come on, Lavender. One piece isn't going to hurt you."

"What kind are you having?" she asked her cousin.

"The vegetable one," Hermione said.

"Oh perfect," Lavender said.

"Live a little," Hermione said putting a slice on a plate and handing it to her cousin.

"Uh oh," Harry said. "That has more than six calories..."

"Harry, be nice," Hermione said.

"I'm not the one with an arse the size of my ego," Lavender muttered, making all the women laugh.

"Hermione!" Harry exclaimed, looking at his wife.

"What?" Hermione laughed. "It was funny!"

Harry shook his head. "Ellie's the only one here being nice to me."

"Daddy you know we love you," Saffron hid her smile.

"Love giving me a hard time," Harry muttered.

"That too," Julie nodded.

Ellie cooed happily from her carrier.

"Ellie agrees," Lavender said with a grin.

"that's not an agree with you noise," Harry argued.

"Oh, I didn't realise you spoke 'baby'," Lavender retorted.

"Apparently you do too," Harry returned.

"At least I don't act like one," Lavender said sweetly.

"I beg to differ," Harry glared at her.

"Why am I suddenly fighting the urge to put them both in detention?" Julie asked thoughtfully.

"Because they're acting like a few first years," Hermione said.

"He started it," Lavender pointed out.

"Did I say first years?" Hermione asked. "I meant children..."

Lavender scoffed. "Whatever."

Harry leaned back and grinned. "Sure sweetheart."

"You should take some of this home to Seamus," Hermione said to Lavender.

"He'd probably love that," Lavender replied. "I haven't seen him all week."

"Where is he?" Saffron asked curiously. "Filming?"

"Yes," Lavender said. "Up in Washington, near this tiny little town called Forks."

"He works too much," Saffron said. "Like Gabe."

"Gabe is so much like Seamus," Lavender agreed.

Saffron did not want to say anything about the troubles Alexa and Gabe were having. It was not her place and she knew neither of them would want Lavender interfering.

"He is determined though, and for that, he'll make a great doctor." Lavender continued.

Saffron nodded in agreement. "He will."

Lavender smiled at her. "He is looking forward to coming here for the wedding."

"I can't wait to see him," Saffron said. "It's been ages."

"Alexa's been home quite a bit, I've heard." Lavender said.

Saffron nodded. "She's been a big help to Andrew and me with Ellie."

"She loves being a godmother," Hermione said.

Saffron laughed. "She loves spoiling Ellie. My daughter hasn't worn the same outfit more than once thanks to her."

"And me," Lavender finished her pizza.

"Can't forget you," Harry muttered.

"No one can," Lavender said smugly.

"No matter how hard we try," Harry said rolling his eyes.

"I'll have you know--" Lavender began.

"Okay," Hermione held up her hand.

"Really," Saffron agreed. "Maybe Jules SHOULD put you both in detention."

Julie nodded. "You both have known each other for years and you're still fighting."

"Because it's what we do best," Harry replied.

"We are really good at it," Lavender said. "I mean, you'd think we were nuts if we were all of a sudden smiling at each other and singing campfire songs."

"That's true." Hermione admitted.

"And I can admit he's not THAT bad for an egomaniac,' Lavender said thoughtfully.

"And she's not so bad for a diva," Harry responded.

"Thank you," Lavender smiled.

Saffron shook her head. "I will never understand you two."

Hermione put an arm around her. "Neither will I and I've been trying for years."

"I should go," Lavender said. "I can get the finishing touches on the dress tonight."

Saffron gave her a hug. "Thanks, Aunt Lav."

"Anytime," Lavender kissed her cheek. "I'll be in touch."

Julie left a few minutes later with leftover pizza for Nick, leaving just Harry, Hermione and Saffron. Ellie was sleeping soundly in her carrier.

Hermione smiled at her granddaughter. "Bring her by again soon, Saffy."

"I will," Saffron promised.

Hermione kissed her daughter's cheek. "Don't forget the meeting on Saturday with the decorator."

Saffron nodded and picked up the carrier. "Thanks again, Mum."

"Of course, sweetheart," Hermione said as Harry also stood up.

"Take care of my granddaughter," Harry said smiling at his daughter.

"My top priority," Saffron gazed down at Ellie. "She's so incredible."

"Just like her mother," Harry said.

Saffron grinned. "I’ll see you later."

Hermione smiled at her husband when they were alone. "Big moment, eh?"

"Seeing her in that dress makes it hit home," Harry nodded. "This is so hard, Hermione."

"She'll always be our baby," Hermione said leaning against him. "No matter what"

Harry nodded. ""That's why this is so hard."

Hermione hugged him. "I know." \

"We'll get through it right?" he asked.

Hermione nodded. "Like we always do. Together."

Harry leaned in and gave her a kiss. "I love you."

"I love you too," Hermione said. "Even if you are an egomaniac."

"That makes you Mrs. Egomaniac," Harry teased her.

"That's my cross to bear," Hermione said nudging him.

"Somehow I think you'll handle it," Harry said, hugging her to him.

"Feeling better?" Hermione asked him.

He nodded. "Thanks."

Hermione excused herself to finish up some work in her office, leaving Harry alone with his thoughts. As he cleaned up the dishes and boxes, he could not keep the image of his daughter in her wedding dress out of his mind. That smile on her face was positively radiant.

If anyone ever asked him what he wanted in life, it was for his children to be happy. And finally, it seemed as if everything was the way it should be.

318. Chapter 318 Lost and Found

Authors' note: We hope you enjoy this latest chapter. Frank/Alice settle in with Neville and Cho and we see the Hogwarts crew as they return home for Easter break.

Frank and Alice were enjoying being out of the hospital and getting to know their family. In a couple of days, Neville and Cho were going to have the entire family over to have dinner.
Neville was beyond happy because his parents were adjusting better than he could have ever expected.

"Neville," Frank said. "Could you hand me the paper? I feel like Alice and I are so behind the times."

"Sure," Neville said, reaching for it. He did not notice the look on Cho's face. Cho had awoken first that morning and she and Frank had talked about that day's news. He had read the paper just an hour ago.

"Thanks," Frank said. "I can't believe how much things have changed."

"But, you know, the more things change, the more they stay the same," Alice commented.

"That's true too," Frank nodded.

Alice looked at Cho. She was going to go to dance studio with her daughter-in-law and would get to see Chiaki dance.

"What time will we leave for the studio?" she asked Cho.

"Half an hour or so?" Cho replied. "If that's okay with you?"

"Of course," Alice nodded.

Cho smiled. She knew that Chiaki was nervous to dance in front of her grandmother.

"I should go get myself ready," Cho said. "I won't be long."

"Okay," Alice said softly.

Neville watched his wife leave the kitchen. "Is everything okay in your room?" he asked. "Do either of you need anything?"

Alice was looking at the table and did not seem to hear his question.

"Mum?" Neville asked.

Alice looked at him. "Yes?"

"I was asking if either of you needs anything," Neville said again.

"Oh," Alice said hastily. "No, we're fine."

"Good," Neville smiled. "I'm glad to hear you're both doing well."

Alice stood up. "I'm going to get ready."

Neville nodded. "What would you like to do today, Dad?"

Frank shrugged. "It doesn't matter to me, son. I'm sure you have work..."

"I do have to go in for a few hours," Neville said. "But I can make time for you."

Frank shook his head. "Don't worry about me, son. I was thinking I'd go to the park for a walk. I used to love doing that, you know."

Neville smiled. "It's a nice day for a walk."

"So you can go to work and I can have my walk," Frank said. "And don't look so worried, Neville. I'm not a child. I can find my way home."

"I know you can," Neville said.

Frank patted his son's arm. "Don't worry so much, son."

"I guess I can't help it," Neville said. "I have you back after so long--"

Frank nodded. "I know."

"Maybe I feel a bit like the parent," Neville admitted.

"You are," Frank said with a grin.

Neville laughed. "I'll be back around lunchtime."

"You're going to take me to The Leaky Cauldron, right?" Frank asked. "And you're buying!"

"Sure thing," Neville agreed. "That sounds great."

Neville walked upstairs to get some papers. He smiled at his wife. "Thanks so much for taking Mum with you to the studio, Cho."

"I'm happy to do it," Cho assured him. "But Neville... did you realise that your father has read the paper twice now this morning? He doesn't remember the first time."

Neville looked at her. "What are you talking about?"

"I read AND discussed the paper this morning with Frank," Cho told him gently. "Perhaps it’s something to bring up to the healers."

Neville shook his head. "Cho, come on. It's nothing."

"Perhaps," Cho agreed cautiously. "But still..."

"Don't worry so much," Neville said walking over to her. "I remember you telling me the exact same thing the first night they were here."

"I just want you to be happy," Cho said as he slid his arms around her. "I've never seen you like this, Nev."

"I'm on top of the world, Cho," Neville said. "My children are happy and healthy. My grandchildren are happy and healthy. I have a great wife, a great job and I have my parents."

"You've got it all," Cho gave him a kiss. "I love you."

"I love you," Neville said.

"See you later," Cho replied. "We'll be home early evening."

"Give Chiaki my love," Neville told her.

"I will," Cho promised before leaving.

Neville walked downstairs to check on his father. He smiled. Never in a million years did he ever imagine being in this situation. And although it was still early in the year, Neville was already looking forward to Christmas. He had never had a real Christmas with his parents and he wanted to know what that would be like.

"Are you sure you'll be okay for a little while?" Neville asked Frank.

Frank nodded. "I'll be fine. I shouldn't be gone for more than a couple of hours."

"I'll be back as soon as I can," Neville promised.

"I'll be back as soon as I can," Neville promised.

Neville gave his father a hug. "I'll see you later, Dad."

Frank smiled. "I’m just going to read the paper for a bit. I have to catch up on the news."

Neville looked properly at his father. "Dad, you already read the paper..."

"No I didn't," Frank replied.

"Yes, you did," Neville said gently. "When we were eating breakfast, remember?"

Frank shook his head. "I don't remember."

"Its okay, Dad," Neville reassured him. "You can read the paper again."

Frank nodded. "I think I will."

Neville told himself that it was just a lapse in memory. It was nothing to concern himself with at the moment. If it kept happening, he would tell the healers.

He looked at his father for another moment or two before heading into the office.

Neville attended that morning's briefing with Ethan, Justin and Harry. Lupin was discussing upcoming raids. It was nice to be back in action, but at the back of his mind, he kept thinking about his father.

He had to admit, Frank's lapse in memory bothered him quite a bit.

He had dismissed Cho's concerns, but maybe this was something he should monitor.

"Hey," Harry nudged him.

"Yeah?" Neville asked, startled.

"We have an assignment," Harry said. "Are you in?"

Neville nodded hastily. "Of course."

"Is everything all right?" Harry asked.

Neville shrugged. "Pretty much. I'm just worried. Today's the first day I've left my dad on his own since they left hospital."

"I'm sure he'll be fine," Harry reassured him.

Neville stood up and followed his friend out of the room. "Yeah, me too."

"Ethan and Justin are handling the first part of the job," Harry told him. "We've got the cleanup."

Neville felt embarrassed that he had no idea about what this assignment involved. He sheepishly asked Harry to go over the specifics again.

Harry handed him the spec sheet. "Are you sure you're all right? Maybe I should do this myself."

"No, I'm in," Neville told him.

"All right," Harry nodded.

"Just a little preoccupied, but nothing I can't handle," Neville said confidently. "Besides, I'm not the one whose baby daughter is getting married soon."

"Don't get me started," Harry said. "Or Ethan for that matter."

"Really?" Neville grinned.

"He likes Andrew just fine," Harry explained. "But he wants to make sure Andrew knows exactly where he stands."

"Too right," Ethan agreed, coming up behind them.

"We just don't tell Saffron," Harry said.

Ethan laughed. "I'm not afraid of her."

Justin snorted. "Sure you're not."

"I'm not," Ethan said sitting down at his desk.

"I'll tell her right now that you said that," Harry headed for the fireplace.

Ethan stood up quickly. "Dad!"

"I figured as much," Harry replied.

"Maybe I'm a little afraid of her," Ethan admitted.

"Or a lot," Justin cracked.

Neville laughed. "Kind of like Harry's afraid of Hermione."

"I am not," Harry denied. "And you can go ahead and ask her that."

Ethan grinned. "I will. Next time I see her."

"You should," Harry said. "And for now, shouldn't you both be heading out?"

"Yes," Ethan said motioning for Justin to follow him. "Come on, mate."

"Send us a signal and we'll come by after you're done," Harry told them.

Ethan nodded and led his friend out of headquarters. Neville sat down in Ethan's vacant seat and read over the spec sheet.

While Neville worked, Alice was watching her oldest granddaughter dance. Chiaki moved so effortlessly and gracefully across the floor.

"She's wonderful," Alice whispered to Cho.

Cho smiled back at her. "She's been dancing all her life."

"So have you, right?" Alice asked her.

Cho nodded. "It was all I ever wanted to do."

The music ended and Chiaki landed lightly on her feet. "How was that?"

Alice stood up and clapped enthusiastically. "That was beautiful, Chiaki. Absolutely beautiful!"

Chiaki grinned. "Thank you!"

Alice gave her a hug. "My talented granddaughter!"

Chiaki hugged her back tightly. "I've always wanted to dance for you."

Tears welled up in Alice's eyes as she looked at her granddaughter's beaming face.

"Are you okay?" Cho asked her concernedly.

Alice nodded. "Just very ...happy and proud."

"Thanks," Chiaki said, hugging her again.

"How about I make us all some tea and we can chat before the first lesson?" Cho asked. Their first students of the day would be arriving in about an hour.

"That sounds lovely," Alice nodded.

Cho excused herself to make the tea in the back room while Chiaki and Alice chatted. Chiaki did some stretches and Alice sat back down. "So," Chiaki asked with a grin. "When did you and Grandpa first fall in love?"

"What was probably a long time ago now," Alice said. "We were in school together."

"Love at first sight?" Chiaki asked.

"Something like that," Alice nodded. "Love at first sight our sixth year."

"I saw the photos from your wedding," Chiaki recalled. "Gran had a big photo album. I remember thinking how beautiful you looked and the way Grandpa looked at you."

"You have my wedding album?" Alice asked, raising her head.

"Gran gave it to Dad," Chiaki nodded. "I'm surprised he hasn't let you see it."

"I'll ask him when we get home," Alice said.

"Everyone's looking forward to the dinner," Chiaki said coming to sit beside her.

Cho came back in with a tray. "Emma's especially excited.

"You'll see how the other children absolutely adore her," Chiaki told Alice. "Well, except for Adam. But, that's because she bosses him around."

Cho laughed. "They'll get along well soon enough."

The three ladies enjoyed their tea and biscuits and chatted with each other until the students started to arrive. Alice watched as Cho and Chiaki taught the girls their dances. All in all, it was a fun afternoon and Alice was eager to go home and tell Frank about her day.

"I just need to close up and we can head back home," Cho said, closing the door to the studio and ushering them into the office where the Floo network was set up.

Alice nodded and smiled at Chiaki as her granddaughter linked her arm with hers.

Neville arrived back home expecting to see his father in the kitchen or sitting room but to his surprise the house was cold and dark.

"Dad?" Neville called out.

He checked the bedrooms and was about to look in the backyard when the fireplace whooshed to life.

He turned hoping to see his father, but instead saw his wife, mother and daughter.

"Did my father meet you at the studio?" Neville asked.

Cho shook her head. "No, we thought he was with you."

"I just got home from work," he said. "He just told me he was going for a walk today..."

Alice paled. "Frank..."

"He's all right," Cho assured her. "Right, Neville? I'm sure he's fine."

Neville nodded, trying not to show his worry in front of his mother. "I'll---I'll just go out and look for him."

"He's probably just at the park," Chiaki said. "I’ll go with you, Dad."

"Thanks," Neville said. He turned his attention to Alice. "Mum, don't worry, okay?"

"Find him, Neville." Alice begged.

"I will," Neville promised squeezing her hand.

Chiaki pulled her cloak back on as they headed out. "Do you think he's in the park?" she asked her father anxiously.

Neville sighed. "I don't know, Chiaki. I knew---I knew that I shouldn't leave him on his own."

"You didn't know," Chiaki said. "Come on. We'll find him."

Neville and Chiaki made it to the closest park to the house and split up to search for Frank.

"Meet me back here in ten minutes," Neville said.

Chiaki hurried across the park toward the playground.

She kept her eyes peeled, looking even on the slide and swings to see if her grandfather was there.

Neville was not having any luck on his search either.

"Dad?" he called out. "Dad... where are you?"

Neville tried to remain calm and silently reminded himself that he was an Auror, trained to find anyone, anywhere.

He would never let this happen again, he swore. From here on out, he'd either be here with his parents or have someone else drop by.

Neville and Chiaki combed every inch of the park but could not find any sign of Frank. With heavy hearts, they headed back home.

"Where could he have gone?" Chiaki asked worriedly. "Should we perhaps checkHyde Park?"

"He said he was going to stay close to home," Neville said. "Hyde Park is further away."

Chiaki nodded. "Perhaps he found his own way home."

Neville hoped that was the case.

Chiaki hurried ahead of him to the house. "Mum?" she called out. "Have you heard anything--?"

"We just received an owl from the Cavendishes," Cho said holding up a letter. Neville raised an eyebrow. "The family that bought Gran's house? Look, I don't think---"

"Frank's there," Cho interrupted him.

"What?" Neville asked.

"He went there," Cho told him. "He thinks your Gran is still alive."

Chiaki gasped. "Oh...”

Neville sighed. "I'll head over there."

"I'll go with you," Chiaki said.

Neville nodded distractedly.

Neville and Chiaki used the Floo and arrived at the Cavendish home a few minutes later.

Neville headed right into the kitchen where Frank was seated with a cup of tea in front of him. "Dad!"

Mrs. Cavendish smiled warmly at Neville. "He's fine, Neville. Just a little disoriented."

"Thank you," Neville said gratefully. "I'm so sorry to have disturbed you--"

"It's no trouble," Mrs. Cavendish said. "Take all the time you need. I'll be in the sitting room."

"Thanks," Neville said again as he sat down. "Hey Dad..."

Chiaki sat down on the other side of her grandfather. "Grandpa..."

"I just wanted to see the old place again," Frank explained.

Neville nodded in understanding. "Why didn't you say something?"

"I just decided to come over," Frank shrugged.

"We were all worried," Chiaki told him.

Frank looked at her properly. "But I'm fine."

Chiaki patted his arm. "But, we didn't know that. Gran's beside herself."

Frank sighed. "I didn't mean to make Alice worry."

"How are you?" Neville asked.

"I feel fine," Frank said. "I had a nice walk."

Chiaki smiled. "You did?"

Frank nodded. "Just in the park. Then I came over here. These nice people let me in, and I got to see where Mother lived before she died."

"She was very happy here," Neville recalled. "Well, as happy as she could be."

Frank nodded. "I'm glad she was happy."

Chiaki smiled at her grandfather. "I just wish she could have been here to see you and Gran."

Frank finished his tea. "I should get back to Alice. I shouldn't have left her for so long."

Chiaki took his hand. "Come on then."

"Did she like your dancing?" Frank asked her.

Chiaki nodded. "She did and she really liked watching the little girls dance, too. Smiled the entire time."

"Good," Frank said as Neville bid the Cavendish family goodbye and followed them out.

At home, Cho was trying to reassure Alice.

"I'm sure he's just fine," Cho said. "Just a bit confused. It's bound to happen."

Alice nodded. "It just feels like we've woken up from this dream, ten steps behind everyone else."

Cho nodded. "You both have been through a lot."

"He's my best friend," Alice said wiping at her eyes.

Cho put an arm around her. "I'm sure they'll be home anytime now."

Alice rested her head on Cho's shoulder. She had not known her very long, but she already loved her daughter-in-law.

"How about just a bit of tea?" Cho suggested. "Might help you relax."

"That'd be nice," Alice replied, just as the fireplace roared to life.

Cho stood up as her husband, daughter and father in law tumbled out.

"Frank!" Alice exclaimed.

"Grandpa just wanted to see Gran's home," Chiaki said. "He had a nice visit with the new tenants."

Alice threw her arms around her husband. "Oh, Frank!"

Frank hugged her tightly. "Its okay, Alice."

Cho walked over to her husband. "Neville, are you okay?"

"Fine," Neville said. "He's fine... everyone's fine."

Cho gave him a hug. "You'll need to tell the healers about this, Neville."

"I know," Neville said. "But he seems fine now."

Cho nodded. "For peace of mind, though. You have to tell the healers."

"I will," Neville said, his tone a bit sharp.

Cho sighed. "I was going to make some tea."

"Fine," Neville nodded. "That will be nice."

Neville did not tell her that he was afraid of what the healers might tell him. He had read over every piece of research about the counter spell. But, his parents had done so well. They hadn't had any problems, until today.

Chiaki was helping her mother make the tea. "It's so weird- they said he was talking about Gran, but he was completely fine while we were there."

Cho told her daughter about what had happened that morning with the newspaper.

"I think Dad definitely needs to mention this to the healers," Chiaki said. "Don't they have to go in for treatments every so often?"

Cho nodded. "I think he's afraid though of what they might say."

Chiaki nodded in agreement.

"But hopefully this is an isolated incident," Cho said. "And Frank and Alice will continue to adjust to their new life."

"I hope so," Chiaki said. "I love having them here and getting to know them."

"Me too," Cho agreed. "And we still have that dinner to plan for the whole family."

"That's going to be a lot of fun," Chiaki said. "I bet Gran will love to help too."

Cho smiled. "I'm sure she would, too. She's a great cook."

"Let's ask her then," Chiaki said. "Maybe it'll make her a little less anxious about it."

"You want to do the honours?" Cho asked her daughter.

Chiaki grinned. "Sure."

Chiaki walked out of the kitchen and into the sitting room where her grandparents were. "Gran?"

Alice looked up.

Chiaki knelt down before her. "You know the family dinner we have coming up? Well, there are loads of Longbottoms coming, not to mention a contention of Weasleys. Jon and Emma alone will eat more than two helpings of everything. So, Mum and I were wondering if you would help with the planning?"

Frank smiled at his wife. "That sounds like fun, Alice."

Alice squeezed her granddaughter's hand. "I'd love that."

"Great," Chiaki said happily. "I heard you're a great cook."

Frank chuckled. "That's the main reason I married her."

Alice nudged him. "There were more reasons than that."

"One of the many reasons," Frank corrected with a grin.

"Mum's making tea, and we can start work while we have that," Chiaki said. "I've got to go home and check on my kids but I'll be back."

"Toshio and Sukie?" Alice remembered.

"Toshio is my husband," Chiaki said. "Mas and Sukie are my son and daughter."

Alice nodded. "Right. And he's a dancer, too, right?"

"That's right," Chiaki nodded.

Alice smiled. "Frank, you should have seen Chiaki today. She was absolutely beautiful and so graceful!"

"I'd love to see you dance sometime," Frank said to his granddaughter.

Chiaki smiled at him. "I'd love that, Grandpa."

"We can see them dance on stage together," Alice said.

"Absolutely," Chiaki told them.

*** *** ***

The train ride home from Hogwarts for Easter holidays was passing by relatively quietly. Ashley was busy sketching as always as Brittany and Evan kept sneaking out of the compartment for a quick snog.

Zander looked up from his comic book as Evan and Brittany left once again. "I hope they don't think they're fooling anyone."

"I hardly think so," Ashley replied. "I'm sure it's just they don't care if we know or not."

The compartment door swung open and Katie walked inside. She dramatically sunk down beside her sister. "Do you mind if I hang out in here? I have to get away from Jemima before I shove my fist in her face."

"What did she do now?" Ashley asked.

"That cow," Katie said rolling her eyes. "Found about me losing my ring and she was joking about it with her minion, Piper."

"You didn't lose it," Zander commented. "Your mum took it."

Katie glared at him. "Thanks for the recap."

"Well as usual, Jemima's got her information wrong," Zander shrugged.

"Well, I just hope Daddy gives it back to me at the station," Katie said.

"I thought he said he gave it back to his dad," Ashley said absently.

"Grandpa said he would send it back," Katie said pulling Draco's letter from her pocket.

Ashley stopped sketching. "He's writing to you again?"

"Of course," Katie replied. "He and our grandmother are going to Bermuda for Easter. He said he would get me something." Ashley sighed. "Katie, those people are not our grandparents."

"Yes they are," Katie said. "You're just mad because they like me and not you."

Ashley looked properly at her sister. "Katie, that's not true. You know how Mum and Dad feel about them. I just don't want to see you get hurt or into any more trouble."

'I'm not going to get in trouble," Katie denied.

"Famous last words," Ashley said. "Did you remember what Mum said? She said Daddy was absolutely furious at his father for giving you that ring."

Katie rolled her eyes. "You're just as bad as Jemima."

Ashley sighed. "Katie, I'm nothing like her and you know it. I kept your secret, didn't I?"

"Yes," Katie admitted.

"And I won't say anything else to Mum and Dad, but I just want you to be careful," Ashley told her.

"Everything will be fine," Katie said. "Just as soon as I get my ring back."

Zander and Ashley shared a look and Zander stood up. "I'm going to find the sweets lady. You guys want anything?"

"I'm fine," Ashley said, shaking her head

"You may get me a pack of Drooble’s," Katie said. "And Pumpkin Pasties. And be quick about it."

"Katie!" Ashley chastised.

"Please?" Katie added hastily.

Zander laughed. "Coming right up, Your Highness." With that, he took off down the corridor to find the cart. He saw the queue lining up and he sighed. This was going to take awhile, obviously.

"Great," he muttered to himself, leaning against the wall.

"Ugh," he heard someone mutter from behind him.

"Isn't it always this way?" he asked without looking to see who it was. "Always a queue."

"You should be used to waiting though," the girl said. "I mean, you are a Seeker, after all. You have to wait a long time to see the Snitch. Well, not a LONG time, but you know what I mean..."

He turned to see who it was- Gina Sloper, Jack's younger sister and fellow Quidditch team mate.

"I know what you mean, Gina," Zander reassured her. "But, I'm not the most patient person, especially when I'm hungry."

Gina laughed. "Me either."

"I didn't realise you and Jack were going home for Easter hols," Zander commented. "I thought he would want to stay at school and write up a new game plan for our match with Ravenclaw."

"He said he can work on that at home," Gina shrugged. "We have a ton of Quidditch books he couldn't bring with."

Zander nodded. "He's pretty intense, isn't he?"

"It's his life," Gina said. "He's got his sights set on playing professionally."

"And what about you?" Zander asked. "Is that what you want to do, too?"

"Maybe," Gina replied. "To be honest, I haven't really figured it out yet.

Zander nodded. "Well, you're a fourth-year. You still have loads of time."

"I'm not too worried about it," Gina said with an easy grin.

"I like Quidditch, but I don't think it's going to be my career," Zander said. "I want to do something with music."

"Do you play an instrument?" Gina asked him.

Zander nodded. "Mostly piano, but I can play the guitar and drums as well."

"Wow," Gina looked impressed.

"I'd like to study it more at University actually," Zander told her.

"I always did like a bloke who knew how to make music," Gina said, blushing a bit.

Zander entertained the thought that she was flirting with him, but why would she? He was a third-year and she was a whole year older.

"Maybe you'll let me hear something sometime," Gina continued.

"Sure," Zander replied.

"Cool," Gina said as they moved forward in the queue. "So um... where are you sitting?"

"Toward the front," Zander motioned. "With my cousin and some friends."

"Mind if I join you?" Gina asked. "I'm sort of bored sitting with Jack..."

Zander nodded. "Sure."

Gina grinned wider. "Great." she said as they moved up to the sweets cart.

The two of them picked out what they wanted and paid the lady. Zander led the way back to the compartment.

Brittany and Evan were sitting close by one of the windows and Katie was digging through her bag. "Here you go, your Highness," he tossed Katie her sweets.

Katie did not reply at first and Ashley nudged her.

"Oh," Katie said. "Thanks."

Zander handed Ashley a Cauldron Cake. "I know you said you didn't want anything, but I got you this just in case."

Ashley smiled at him. "Thanks. I guess I am a bit hungry."

"You guys know Gina Sloper, right?" Zander asked.

"I do," Evan joked.

Gina laughed. "Hi, Evan. And I know Ashley and Brittany of course."

"I'm Katie Malfoy," Katie announced, giving Gina the once-over.

"Hi Katie," Gina greeted her. "It's nice to meet you."

"She's slumming," Zander told Gina.

"So funny, Zander." Katie said.

Zander and Gina sat down and started to eat their sweets.

"Thanks for bringing us something," Brittany said to her cousin.

Zander grinned at her. "You remember, Brit? The first time you left the compartment? You said you and Evan were going to get sweets..."

"We got some then," Brittany said. "We... worked them off."
"Eww," Ashley made a face.

"Don't ever mention that to me," Zander told her.

"You're so immature," Brittany waved him off.

Evan laughed. "Well, I guess now would be a good time to change the subject. Ashley, I have good news for you."

"What's that?" Ashley asked as she unwrapped her Cauldron Cake.

"Well," Evan began.

"James is going to be at Kings' Cross!" Brittany interjected.

"What?" Ashley asked. "He is? He didn't tell me that!"

"Duh," Brittany said. "It's a surprise. Beauxbatons let out a couple of days before us for Easter hols and James is staying at Evan's..."

"He wanted it to be a surprise," Evan told Ashley.

Ashley smiled. "It's a big surprise."

"James is SO hot," Katie commented. "I would totally go out with him."

"You're eleven," Ashley reminded her.

"Almost twelve," Katie said. "But he doesn't like me, he fancies you."

Ashley blushed.

Zander rolled his eyes at Gina. "Sorry you have to be in here for all this mushy stuff."

"Who is James?" Gina whispered.

Zander only felt a very slight pang of jealousy. "Evan's friend... he and Ash are sort of going out."

Gina nodded. "Oh. I see."

Zander smiled at her. "So what else do you plan on doing for Easter hols?"

Gina leaned back in her seat. "Well, other than catching up on my sleep, you mean?"

"That's probably what I'll do," Zander replied.

Gina bit her bottom lip. "Um, Zander. Would you like to get together some time? Over the break, I mean?"

He looked at her in surprise. "You want to hang out with me?"

"Of course," Gina said softly. "Why wouldn't I?"

"We never have before," Zander replied. "And you're a year older than me..."

"We're team mates," Gina pointed out. "And I don't really care about age. I care about what kind of person you are."

"Right," Zander said. "Sorry. I didn't mean to imply--"

"It's okay," Gina said. "So…what do you say?"

"Okay," Zander replied.

Gina smiled. "Really?"

"It sounds like fun," Zander nodded.

"So, it's a date," Gina said before popping a Bertie Botts' into her mouth. "Eww...earwax."

"Gross," Katie said. "I hate Bertie Botts."

"I love them," Gina said. "I just hate when I get earwax or vomit."

"I like the grass ones," Zander said.

Gina offered a handle of the sweets to Zander and did not notice Brittany slide over to sit beside Ashley. "She totally fancies him, don't you think?" Brittany asked in a low voice.

Ashley nodded. "Big time."

"I think it's great," Brittany said. "And she's an older woman, too."

Ashley laughed. "Only by a year."

"I'll try not to tease him too much," Brittany said. "We're nearly at the station, you know..."

"Are we?" Ashley straightened up.

"You should put on some lip gloss," Brittany said. "And put your hair down..."

Ashley tugged her hair out of her ponytail. "I don't have any lip gloss."

"Oh," Brittany frowned. "Well, I don't think you'll need it, then. James likes you as you are."

Ashley blushed. "I can't believe he's here."

"After all this time," Brittany said dramatically.

Ashley nervously ran her fingers through her hair as the train pulled into King's Cross. Katie grinned at her sister. "I see him!"

Ashley felt knots in her stomach.

"He looks GOOD!" Katie exclaimed.

Brittany peered out the window. "Ooooh, he does!"

Ashley peered over their shoulders and felt her stomach lurch in a pleasant way when she saw James standing by Evan's parents.

"Come on," Brittany grabbed her arm. "Let's go."

Ashley grabbed her bag. "Come on Katie."

Katie forgot about her worries over her parents and the ring as she followed her sister out of the compartment.

Ashley suddenly felt shy as she stepped off the train. She hadn't seen or spoken to James since New Year's. What if he only liked her as a friend now?

"Hello, Miss Malfoy," James said stepping over to her.

"Hi," Ashley said, her voice just barely above a whisper.

"It's good to see you again," he said with a smile.

"You too," Ashley said, clearing her throat. "This is a really nice surprise."

"My parents were going to be away on business and Evan's mum said I could stay with them," James explained. "I admit I had ulterior motives though..."

"You did?" Ashley asked with a smile.

James nodded. "Yes."

Ashley's smile turned into a grin. "I missed you."

"I missed you too," James said. "Look, I know you have to go, but I hope we can see each other a few times over the holiday."

Ashley nodded. "I'll make sure we see each other."

Katie saw her father looking for them in the crowd. "I'll give you a few minutes, Ashley." Ashley watched as her sister ran toward their father.

"Katie Bear!" Nick exclaimed opening his arms for a hug, but Katie pouted at him.

"Daddy, where's my ring?" she asked. "Can I have it back?"

Nick sighed. "Let's not talk about that here."

"But, Mummy said---" Katie protested.

"We'll talk about this at home," Nick said. "Where's your sister?"

"She's in the loo," Katie lied. "She said she'd be out in a moment."

"Oh," Nick nodded. "Let's go get your trunks then."

"Then can we talk about my ring?" Katie asked.

Nick didn't answer her.

Katie purposely walked slow to give her sister some extra time with James.

Meanwhile, Ashley had pulled him back onto the train. "Remind me to thank my sister later." she said softly.

"Me too," James said leaning in for a kiss.

Ashley closed her eyes as James pressed his lips to hers.

James put his arms around her as deepened the kiss.

Ashley felt an excited flutter in her stomach as she felt his arms go around her waist.

"I've been waiting awhile to do that again," James said when they pulled apart.

"I was too," Ashley said breathlessly.

"We'd better go," James said. "I don't want you to get into any trouble."

"Right," Ashley kissed him again quickly.

James smiled. "I'll owl you later, okay?"

"I can't wait," Ashley told him.

She gave him a hug before she departed the train. She pushed her way through the crowd and found her sister and father. "Hi, Ash," Nick said hugging her tightly.

"Hi Dad," Ashley said, sending a grateful look to her sister. "I missed you!"

"I missed you too, sweetheart," Nick said. "Both of my girls."

"How's Sophie?" Ashley asked.

"Eager to see you both," Nick said.

Ashley grinned. "Let's go then."

Katie winked at her sister. "All good?"

"Feeling great," Ashley linked her arm with Katie's.

"Good news for you both as well," Nick told them. "Greta's visiting."

"Yay!" Katie said. "Maybe she knows something about my ring."

Nick look at her. "Katherine Rose..."

"Well it's not fair," Katie complained. "I really loved that ring."

"Well, your 'grandfather' doesn't give anything without expecting something in return," Nick told her.

"He likes me," Katie pouted.

Nick stopped and looked down at her. "Katie, you are never in your life going to meet anyone as selfish as my mother and father. They barely acknowledged that they had a kid unless they needed me to play happy family. They are not good people and I do not want them anywhere near you or your sister."

"Just because they didn't like you--" Katie began.

"Katie!" Ashley exclaimed.

"It's true," Katie said angrily.

"Let's go," Nick said in a tone that brooked no refusal.

Ashley looked sympathetically at her sister as they left the platform. Katie had done something nice for her by stalling their father so she could have a minute with James. Perhaps when they got home she could talk their father into letting Katie keep the ring.

Nick walked ahead of them, trying to keep calm. Damn his father for doing this, he thought to himself.

Katie kept glowering even after they'd gotten home and were seated around the kitchen table as Greta brought them all some things she had baked.

"How has it been travelling with your sister?" Ashley asked Greta.

"We have had a wonderful time," Greta said. "Going to all these places we always talked about."

Ashley smiled. "I'm just glad you're going to be here for the holiday. It feels like ages since we've seen you."

"I missed both of you," Greta said. "Very, very much."

"We've missed you too," Katie said. "Greta, can I ask you something?"

"Of course you can, love." Greta answered.

"Family is very important, right?" Katie asked. "Especially family heirlooms.."

"Katie!" Nick snapped.

"Daddy, all I want is to have my ring back that my grandfather gave me!" Katie argued. "That's all!"

Greta looked over at Nick. "Your father gave her a ring?"

"You remember that gaudy one with the emerald he was so bloody proud of?" Nick asked her.

"It was NOT gaudy," Katie said. "It was a beautiful ring, and he gave it to me and you won't let me have it back!"

"He gave it you against my wishes," Nick pointed out. "And I'm not going to discuss this with you anymore."

"Dad," Ashley began. "I'm sure it was just a ring. Nothing else."

Katie smiled gratefully at her sister.

"I don't want to hear it, Ash." Nick replied.

"Can I go to my room?" Katie asked, pushing her plate away. "I'm not very hungry."

Without waiting for an answer, Katie hurried off. Ashley looked back at their father. "I know you don't like your dad, but it's just a ring."

"Just a ring," Nick muttered.

"It is," Ashley said. "And she really loves it."

Nick stood up and walked out of the kitchen.

Ashley sighed. "Now he's mad at me."

Greta shook her head. "That's not it, love. He's mad at the situation. I'll be right back."

Ashley nodded, picking at her food.

Greta found Nick in his studio. "Nicholas..."

"It's like whenever things are going good, that bastard finds me," Nick said bitterly.

Greta put her hand on his shoulder.

"I hate him," Nick said. "I hate both of them."

Greta knew that all too well. She had spent much of her employment with Draco and Ginny Malfoy wanting to shake them and make them be good parents to their son.

Nick sighed. "And now out of the blue he gives Katie this ring."

"Perhaps, Ashley is right and it is just a ring," Greta said thoughtfully.

"You too?" Nick asked disbelievingly.

Greta shook her head. "I don't know, Nicholas. I know just as well as you do how your father is."

"I don't know," Nick said. "I'll talk to Jules when she gets home."

"You know, Katherine reminds me a lot of you at that age," Greta said. "Headstrong, stubborn and unwilling to take no for an answer."

Nick finally smiled.

Greta gave him a hug. "You'd do anything for those girls, Nicholas. You're a great father."

"Thanks Greta," Nick said. "I guess sometimes I still need to hear that."

Greta smiled. "I'm going to start dinner. Now, don't even bother telling me I don't have to since I do not work for you anymore. I want to."

"I wouldn't turn that down," Nick admitted.

Greta gave him another hug before heading upstairs. Nick sank down in a chair. Katie was just like him at that age. He was still naive enough to think his parents were not so bad.

"Dad," a twelve year old Nick came into the sitting room. "Listen to what I can play on the piano!"

Draco looked up from his paper. "I thought you were away at school."

Nick shook his head. "I was, but I'm home now for the summer."

Ginny came into the room, carrying a glass of wine. "My head is throbbing."

"I wonder why," Draco muttered.

"Oh, Nicholas!" Ginny exclaimed, stumbling a bit as she walked over to him. "You're h-home!"

"Hi Mum," Nick said hesitantly.

"Ginevra, it's noon," Draco said looking disdainfully at her. "How much have you had to drink."

"This much," Ginny held up her glass.

"Mum," Nick said. "I was about to play this new piece of music for Dad. I've been working on it for awhile. Professor Stewart said that I was the best he's ever heard."

"You play music?" Ginny asked, stumbling as she dropped onto the sofa. "Since when?"

"Since you put me in lessons when I was five," Nick replied taking a seat at the piano.

"I don't remember that," Ginny said, swallowing the contents of her glass.

She picked up the bell and rang it. "Where is that infernal Greta? Greta!"

"She takes too long to do things around here," Draco complained.

Greta walked into the sitting room. "Miss Malfoy? You rang?"

"Get me another drink," Ginny ordered.

Greta nodded and picked up Ginny's glass.

"And be quick," Ginny said. "I'm tired of your lollygagging."

Nick began playing the composition he had worked on for so many weeks. Greta smiled encouragingly at him.

"What is this racket?" Draco asked angrily.

Ginny put a hand to her temple. "Nicholas, please...stop."

Nick turned to look at his parents. "But I wrote it for you both."

"What's it called?" Draco asked looking at Ginny. "Drunk before noon?"

Ginny glared at her husband. "I wouldn't have to drink if you would just stay home once in awhile."

Draco stood up and set his paper down. "Because hanging around with my wife the lush is so much fun? I don't think so. I'm going to the hospital."

"To HER!" Ginny said, sobbing.

Draco rolled his eyes before stalking out of the room.

"He hates me," Ginny said, still sobbing.

Nick stood up and walked over to his mother. "He doesn't hate you, Mum."

"Yes he does," Ginny said hysterically.

Nick put his hand on her shoulder. "It's okay, Mum. I promise."

"You don't understand," Ginny said, shrugging away from her son.

"I can play my song for you," Nick offered. "You didn't get to hear all of it."

"I don't want to listen to that drivel," Ginny said. "GRETA! WHERE'S MY DRINK?"

Greta carried the glass of wine to Ginny. "Here you are."

"Took you long enough," Ginny snatched it away from her.

Ginny struggled to get to her feet. "I'll be in my room!"

"But Mum..." Nick began.

Ginny did not even glance over her shoulder as she sauntered out of the room. Greta sat down beside Nick on the sofa. "I'd like to hear your song, Nicholas."

"But I really wanted them to hear it," Nick said in dismay.

Greta nodded. "Maybe you can play it for them after dinner."

Nick shrugged. "I guess."

The little boy saw his father's old Malfoy ring on the coffee table and he picked it up and looked at it. "Dad forgot his ring," he said quietly.

Greta patted the young boy's shoulder. "You are a talented, handsome young man, Nick. Your parents don't know what a gem you are."

Nick gave her a half-hearted smile. "Thanks, Greta."

Greta hugged him to her. "Always know that you have me," she told him. "No matter what."

"I know," Nick said. "I'm glad."

"Let me hear your song," Greta urged.

Nick smiled. "Okay."

Greta sat down as Nick went over to the piano and touched the keys. She was more proud of him than she could ever put into words.

Nick played the song he had worked so hard on and wished that his parents would have been here to see it. But, like always, they were off doing more important things.

"Oh Nick," Greta said when he'd finished. "That was wonderful."

Nick beamed at her. "Really?"

Greta nodded. "You have a true gift for music. Don't ever give that up."

"I wouldn't," Nick promised. "I love it."

"Good," Greta replied. "I should get back to making dinner."

Nick still sat at the piano. He did not know if he would ever have a family of his own one day, but he knew he would never make his children feel unwanted or unloved like his parents did to him.

Nick shook himself out of his reverie, and reached into his pocket. His father had sent the ring back to Katie at the school, but Julie had intercepted it and owled it to him

He still did not know what to do about this whole situation.

He decided to talk it over with Julie when she arrived home. His wife was level headed and could perhaps help him figure everything out.

Nick pocketed the ring and headed back upstairs.

Greta smiled when she saw him. "All right?"

Nick nodded. "Better, thanks."

"Julie just got home," Greta told him. "She's helping Ashley unpack."

"I'll go and see if they need any help," Nick said.

He headed upstairs and poked his head into Ashley's room. "How goes it in here?"

Julie smiled at him. "Good. We're nearly finished."

"Can I have a quick word?" Nick asked.

"Sure," Julie said. She looked over at Ashley. "I'll be back in a moment."

"Okay," Ashley replied, glancing at her father.

Nick waited until Julie had closed Ashley's door. "I've been thinking about that ring," he said.

Julie nodded. "And?"

"I don’t' want to deny my daughters things like my parents denied me." Nick said. "Katie really wants this... but I hate how it ties her to my father."

"I'll have my father test it," Julie said.

Nick nodded. "As long as you don't mind her having it."

"I'm not a fan of your parents," Julie admitted. "But, if we find out it's harmless, I guess it would be okay with me."

Nick smiled at her. "Let's hope we're not making a huge mistake."

"I'll owl it to my father after dinner," Julie told him.

"Good," Nick replied, handing her the ring.

Julie pocketed it and reached for his hand. "You okay? I know this dredges up memories you don't really want to think about."

"When it comes to my parents, I never want to think about them," Nick said dryly.

Julie nodded. She was thankful every day for the childhood she had with her parents. She knew without a doubt that they loved her and enjoyed spending time with her. Never in her entire life had she felt unwanted or unloved.

She put her arms around her husband. "Well..." she said. "You got lucky. You married me, and we have two beautiful daughters who have FINALLY stopped fighting, and one crazy dog."

Nick grinned and held her tight.

"And we love you no matter what," Julie reassured him.

"Absolutely," Ashley chimed in from behind them.

Nick smiled at his daughter. "All settled in, sweetheart?"

Ashley grinned. "Yes."

"What's new?" Julie asked her daughter. "Even though I see you every day, I hardly get to talk to you."

"I've been working really hard on my sketches," Ashley said. She decided not to mention anything about James right now.

"Can I have a look later?" Nick asked.

Ashley grinned. "Of course." Katie stepped out of her room and pouted in her parents' direction.

Nick decided not to say anything about the ring just yet. He'd give it back to her once they found out it was clean.

"Katie, did you need some help unpacking?" Julie asked. "Please don't tell me you just dumped the contents of your trunk on the floor..."

"I hung my things up," Katie said.

Julie smiled. "That's my girl. I have good news for you both..."

"We're getting another dog?" Katie brightened.

Julie laughed. "No, your Aunt Lavender wants to fit your dresses for the wedding. She's coming by tomorrow morning."

"Ooooh!" Katie clapped her hands together.

"I can't believe how close it's getting," Ashley said. "Saffy and Andrew's wedding!"

"I know," Julie nodded. "She was a baby when Nick and I got married."

Katie grinned. "You guys have been married a long time then!"

"Yes we have," Julie leaned against her husband.

Ashley giggled. "Dad's pushing what...50 now?" she asked teasingly.

"I thought 60," Katie said with a straight face.

Nick laughed. "You two are very funny. Very, very funny...."

Katie laughed. "Daddy, can I go see Zoë while I'm home? My streaks need a touch up."

"I think that can be arranged," Nick replied.

"Thanks," Katie replied. "They faded so much."

"We wouldn't want that," Nick said tickling her side.

"Something smells really good," Ashley said. "When is dinner going to be ready?

"Soon," Julie replied.

"I'm just going to ring Brittany before we eat," Ashley disappeared back into her room.

Ashley grabbed her mobile phone and dialled in her best friend's number. "Brit?"

"Where did you go when we got off the train?" Brittany asked. "You totally disappeared with James!"

Ashley blushed as she remembered what had happened on the train. In a low voice, she told her friend all that had happened.

"Oh Merlin," Brittany said. "This is so exciting. He is SO dreamy!"

"He is," Ashley admitted. "He wants to see each other during the holiday."

"Are you going to?" Brittany asked. "You have to! We can double!"

"I want to," Ashley replied.

"Ask your parents tonight," Brittany said. "Hopefully they'll say yes."

"Things are kind of tense here right now with Katie and that ring," Ashley said. "I might wait until tomorrow."

"Okay," Brittany replied. "Well I have to go. I'll ring you tonight."

Ashley sat on her bed for a moment wondering how she was going to play this. She remembered how well things had gone down last summer when she and Zander briefly dated. But, she was another year older now.

She hoped her parents would allow her to go since there would be four of them, and not just one on one.

Ashley thought she would ask for Saffron's advice as well. Maybe tomorrow morning during the fitting, she would have some pointers.

319. Chapter 319 Visions and Decisions

Authors' note: This is a bit of a short chapter tonight. But, next week you get a really cute flashback from Alice/Frank that they share with Harry. Tonight's chapter has Ethan/Maddie and their girls plus a bit with Darla/Liam/Hans. Please read and review!

Ethan hugged his knees to him as he tried not to move the block tower Kiera was currently building around him. The new block set was her favourite toy at the moment and had been a gift from her Grandmother Luna. Kiera liked nothing more than to build things up as high as she possibly could and then knock it down.

"Kiera," Ethan called out. "Can Daddy come out? It's rather cramped in here."

"No," Kiera giggled.

"Kiera Faith, take some pity on your old man," Ethan said laughing as the little girl studied over which block to pick next. "How about the green one?"

"No," Kiera said. "Boo! Like BUH!"

"Where is that pixie, anyway?" Ethan asked curiously.

Blue flitted past Kiera causing the little girl to clap her hands happily together.

Maddie was carrying Gwyn downstairs. The baby was wrapped in a towel, fresh from her bath.

"He was helping me give Gwyn her bath," Maddie said. "Or should I say 'splashing' me while I gave Gwyn her bath."

Kiera giggled as the pixie picked up a block and looked like he was going to throw it at Ethan. "Be nice."

Blue cackled before setting the block on top of the pile.

"Good," Kiera told the pixie with a big smile.

Maddie laughed as she set out a blanket to change Gwyn. "Time to get you into your pyjamas, Miss Gwyn."

"I'll help," Ethan said, trying to stretch his legs.

Kiera folded her arms. "NO!"

Maddie laughed. "You're in jail, Ethan."

"By a one and a half year old no less," Ethan said. "Don't tell my fellow Aurors."

"They won't hear it from me," Maddie promised.

Kiera handed one more block to Blue. "Top."

Blue cackled and dropped the last block on the top of her tower.

Kiera turned around and looked at her mother. "See?"

"What a lovely tower," Maddie praised her daughter. "Are you going to let Daddy go free?"

Kiera thought about it and looked at Blue. "'Kay, Buh!"

"One... two... three..." Ethan counted for her.

"DOWN!" Kiera giggled, pushing the blocks over.

Ethan stood up and stretched. "I'm getting too old for that!"

Kiera giggled and held her arms up to him.

Ethan picked her up and swung her around. "Daddy's girl!"

Maddie laughed. "I think it's time for your girl to get into pyjamas."

"No," Kiera said shaking her head.

"Yes," Ethan kissed her cheek.

Kiera hugged him tightly.

"When we get your pyjamas on, we can build a tower around Blue," Ethan told his daughter.

"Ooooh!" Kiera exclaimed.

Maddie watched as Ethan carried Kiera out of the room. "Your daddy's silly." she said to Gwyn.

Gwyn cooed happily up at Maddie while Blue hummed from his perch on Maddie's shoulder.

"You're a good girl," Maddie said softly, running her index finger over Gwyn's soft cheek.

Being a mother was the most rewarding thing in her life and it was something she had always wanted to be.

"Here we are," Ethan said, bringing Kiera back into the room. "She's ready for a new tower.

"Big one," Kiera said.

"That's right," Ethan set her down. "A nice big one, for Blue."

Blue's eyes grew large.

"Buh," Kiera clapped her hands together before reaching for some blocks and stacking them together.

"Be a good boy," Maddie told the pixie.

"Come on down here and give us a hand," Ethan said to his wife.

Maddie picked up Gwyn. "Come on..."

She set Gwyn in her bouncy seat then knelt next to her daughter.

"I bet we can box him in completely," Maddie said to Kiera.

"Oh," Kiera said.

"She loves these blocks," Ethan commented.

"It's one of the best gifts she'd gotten," Maddie agreed.

Kiera giggled as she set up a circle of blocks around Blue.

Blue hopped up and down excitedly and Ethan shook his head. "That pixie is something else."

"He is," Maddie agreed, resting her head on Ethan's shoulder.

Ethan slipped his arm around her. "How was your day?"

"Busy," Maddie replied. "And yours?"

"It was really routine today," Ethan replied. "No raids, no nothing."

"I know you don't care for those days, but that's the kind of days I like for you to have," Maddie said softly. "Because that means you're safe."

"Yeah I guess," Ethan replied. "Plus I get to come home on time to you three."

"Which we love," Maddie said.

"Daddy!" Kiera said. "Hep!"

Ethan laughed. "What do you need me to do, sweetheart?"

Kiera held out a block to him.

"Where do you want it?" Ethan asked her.

Kiera pointed to the top.

"All the way up there, eh?" Ethan asked. "Okay..."

Maddie smiled as Kiera clapped her hands eagerly. Her eyes met her daughter's as she felt a swelling sensation inside her. She loved when her daughter would share emotions this way.

"She's so happy right now," Maddie whispered.

"What?" Ethan asked.

"Kiera," Maddie said motioning to their daughter. "Just now, she looked at me and I could just feel how happy she was."

Ethan smiled at their oldest daughter.

"I can't even describe what this feels like," Maddie said.

"Maybe someday she'll share it with me." Ethan said.

"Maybe," Maddie said handing Kiera another block.

Ethan watched the two of them build the tower even larger. "What's on your mind?" he asked his wife. "I can tell when you're deep in thought, and it's not just about feeling what Kiera's feeling."

"I know this is going to sound crazy," Maddie began.

"Uh oh..." Ethan raised an eyebrow.

"I had a vision last night," Maddie told him. "And it's kind of stayed with me all day. I don't known when it's going to happen, but I saw us with five more children."

"What?" he asked in disbelief.

"Us with five children" Maddie repeated. "They were so beautiful, Ethan."

"Five MORE?" Ethan's jaw was slack.

Maddie nodded. "You okay?"

"In a little shock..." Ethan replied.

"I don't know when it will happen," Maddie reassured him.

"I know but..." Ethan's voice dropped off as he watched Kiera push herself over to Gwyn's bouncy seat.

Kiera touched her sister's hand. "Hi."

Gwyn looked at her big sister with wide eyes.

"You know..." Ethan said. "Maybe five more wouldn't be so bad..."

"Yeah?" Maddie asked.

"Not if we had five more like them."

Maddie smiled and put her arms around him.

Ethan gave her a kiss. "Love you, Mads."

"Love you too," Maddie said softly.

"Maybe we should start on this later," he said, nuzzling her ear.

Maddie giggled. "It's a date."

"I can't wait," Ethan said, pressing his lips to her neck.

They were interrupted by a crash of blocks as they fell to the floor. "Buh!" Kiera chastised.

"Bloody pixie," Ethan muttered.

"Did you knock the tower down, Blue?" Maddie asked.

Blue cackled and somersaulted in midair.

Maddie giggled. "Show-off."

"I think Gwyn is down for the count," Ethan nodded to their daughter, whose eyes were drooping shut.

"Bedtime," Maddie said standing up.

"No," Kiera shook her head.

"Yes," Ethan said picking up Kiera. "I'll tell you a story."

"Oh," Kiera said.

Maddie picked Gwyn up from her bouncy seat. "Come on, love."

She put Gwyn in her crib then stood aside and listened as Ethan told Kiera a fairy tale.

"...and they lived happily ever after," Ethan finished.

Kiera smiled at her father.

Ethan kissed her cheek. "Sweet dreams, baby girl."

"Good night my love," Maddie whispered.

Kiera held up her arms for a hug.

Maddie gladly obliged. "I love you so, so much."

Kiera smiled sleepily at her mother. "Love mama."

"My girl," Maddie kissed her forehead.

Ethan took his wife's hand and led her out of the nursery.

"You're right," she said. "If we had five more just like them, I'd be fine with that."

"They're just like their mum," Ethan said to her.

Maddie smiled at him.

"I knew what I was getting into when I married a Weasley," Ethan said.

"One large family," Maddie joked. "Appetites..."

"...brothers and sisters," Ethan continued.

"Lots and lots," Maddie said, winding her arms around his neck.

"I love you," Ethan said.

"I love you too," Maddie said, her eyes half closed.

"You and our girls mean everything to me," Ethan said.

"I know," Maddie said softly, running her fingers through his messy hair. "It's the same for me."

"I say we clean up the mess downstairs tomorrow morning," Ethan said grinning at her.

"I say that's a great idea," Maddie leaned against him.

"I have a few of them every now and again," Ethan said.

"I have another idea," Maddie whispered in his ear.

"Yeah?" Ethan asked with a grin.

"I want you..." Maddie brushed her lips over his. "To take... me... to bed..."

Ethan looked at her with darkened eyes. "No bedtime story..."

Maddie shook her head. "Not for me..."

"Maybe afterwards," Ethan said putting his arms around her.

"Ooooh," Maddie said. "Promise?"

Ethan laughed. "I promise."

Maddie laughed as he scooped her up. "Perhaps we'll start on one of our five children tonight."

Ethan smiled at his wife. The idea of having five more children was a bit overwhelming, but he knew that he and Maddie could do it. They had always made a great team.

*** *** ***

Darla stared at the folder in her hands and wondered if she was doing the right thing. All that she had to do was sign her name. It shouldn't be such a big deal, she thought to herself. But, signing these papers meant the end of something that she had held onto for so long.

She had kept the divorce papers hidden in her drawer for awhile but after the past few weeks she decided it was finally time to sign them. Her relationship with Hans was going nowhere. He was living in London again, but gone almost all the time.

The door opened and Drew breezed inside. "It's absolutely horrendous out there, Dar! Tell me again why we live in London? It's certainly not for the weather!"

"Because it's where we were born and where we grew up and where our family lives?" Darla replied automatically.

Drew shook her head. "Why couldn't Dad have moved us to Cancun or the Bahamas?"

Darla looked over at her sister. "What?"

Drew took off her cloak and hung it on the rack. "Nothing...thanks for covering with me this morning. Chloe's feeling much better now that she's seen Lizzy."

"Sure," Darla said, still distracted.

"Dar?" Drew prompted.

Darla jumped a bit. "Drew... when did you get here?"

Drew walked over to her sister's desk. "Two minutes ago," she replied. "Are you okay? You look a million miles away right now."

"I sort of am," Darla sighed.

"Why?" Drew asked, but she had a feeling she knew the answer.

"Divorce papers," Darla said quietly.

"Oh," Drew said. "I see."

"I haven't signed them," Darla said. "I haven't even given them to Hans yet. I got them months ago, but I just haven't... I haven't even looked at them until today."

Drew sat down and studied her sister. "So what made you get them out now?"

Darla was quiet for a moment. "It's over." she admitted. "I realised it today. It's over. He moved back here and he's still never home. I can't do it anymore."

Drew reached for her sister's hand. "I know it's no secret that I'm not his biggest fan, but I only wanted you to be happy."

"I know," Darla said sadly.

Drew gave Darla's hand a squeeze.

"I suppose if I get it over with, I'll feel better you know?" Darla asked. "Maybe I can really start moving on with my life."

Drew nodded. "Closure."

"Yeah," Darla replied. "If that's the word..."

"You guys will always be in each other's lives because of Rafe," Drew pointed out.

"I know," Darla said. "I want things to remain civil, at the very least."

"Where's Hans now?" Drew asked.

"Morocco," Darla answered. "Until tomorrow."

"You going to wait until then?" Drew asked.

"I kind of have to," Darla said. "I don't know where in Morocco he is."

Drew nodded. She could not imagine what this was like for her sister. "Do you want to take the rest of the afternoon off? I can handle things around here."

"It's all right," Darla shoved the papers into her desk drawer. "I need to keep my mind off it."

Drew smiled. "You sure?"

Darla nodded.

"Okay," Drew said. "I was looking over some of the notes about the catering while I was waiting for Lizzy to see Chloe."

Darla put her hand to her forehead. She felt bad for not asking how Chloe was feeling. "How did everything turn out? You said Lizzy saw her?"

Drew nodded. "It's just a cold. She gave her a potion and it worked right away. She'll be fine by tomorrow."

Darla smiled. "That's good. Um, did you...did you see Liam?"

"Just in passing," Drew said looking up.

"How did he seem?" Darla asked, trying to sound nonchalant.

"All right, I suppose." Drew said. "Why?"

"No reason," Darla replied.

"Aren't you two talking?" Drew asked.

"Not really," Darla said quietly.

"How come?" Drew asked.

Darla looked at her sister. "What I'm about to tell you, you can't tell anyone , okay?"

"You know I'd never tell a soul." Drew replied.

Darla nodded. "Well, Liam did not actually have the greatest childhood. His father's an alcoholic and he's been abusive to his wife and mentally abusive to his sons. Liam couldn't wait to grow up and get out of there."

Drew gaped at her.

"And a few weeks ago, his mother showed up," Darla continued. "She had finally taken the initiative and left. She stayed with Liam and he seemed to think that things were finally falling into place, but I guess his father showed up or something and took her back home."

"I had no idea," Drew admitted. "Of course... I suppose I wouldn't have known."

"I tried to help him, but he said I wouldn't understand," Darla said. "And we haven't really spoken since then."

"I'm sorry, Dar." Drew apologised.

"I miss him," Darla said softly. '

Drew didn't quite know what to say. "Would you like me to talk to him?" she asked finally.

Darla vehemently shook her head. "No, Drew. He doesn't know I told you, for one thing. And for the other, you can't always solve my problems."

"I didn't mean--" Drew began.

"I know you didn't," Darla interjected. "But, you can't fix this for me."

Drew nodded. "I understand."

Darla sighed and leaned back in her chair. "You realise that I'll be the first Weasley to ever get a divorce?"

"You always did sort of like being an individual," Drew teased gently.

Darla laughed. "Great Auntie Muriel will have loads to say about this."

Drew waved her hand dismissively. "Great Auntie Muriel has never been married, Dar."

"And she doesn't believe in divorce," the two sisters said together.

Darla rolled her eyes. "Good old Great Auntie Muriel."

"Well like you said," Drew replied. "Once you actually sign those papers, you'll feel better."

Darla nodded and looked at the paperwork on her desk. Hans was a good man and she had loved him with all her heart. She knew that he loved their son and would do anything for him.

"I'll keep you distracted," Drew promised her sister. "We have three other weddings coming up in a few weeks that we need to finish the minor details on."

"And everything going on with Saffy and Andrew's wedding," Darla said, nodding. "Just what I need to take my mind off of this."

"Right," Drew agreed. "And tonight, why don't you and Rafe come over for dinner. Chloe should be fine by then and she'll love having Rafe there."

Darla smiled. "I'd love that. Thanks, Drew."

"Anything for my sister," Drew told her.

"You're the best," Darla said.

"Well," Drew said. "We have a meeting at two with this bride," she pointed. "And another at four with her."

"The one at four is at the bakery for the cake tasting," Darla said.

"Ooooh good," Drew said with a grin. "That means we get to take dessert home with us."

Darla laughed. "One of the perks."

"Reminds me why I do love this job," Drew agreed.

"If only Dad and Maddie knew," Darla said. "They'd want to be our partners."

"I think Maddie does know," Drew laughed. "But she'd never bring it up to Dad. It would break his heart not being able to go."

Darla laughed, too, but was interrupted when a delivery man came into the office carrying a bouquet of flowers. "Darla Feinbach?" he asked.

"Yes?" Darla asked.

"These are for you," the delivery man said handing her the bouquet of pink roses.

"Oh," Darla said. "Thank you..."

Drew took care of the tip and the delivery man left the office. Drew turned her attention back to her sister. "Who are they from?"

"They're from Hans," Darla said slowly. "He... he says he misses me and can't wait to see me and Rafe tomorrow."

"They're beautiful," Drew replied.

Darla sighed. "Why does he do this?"

Drew shrugged. "I don't know."

She looked at the roses. "Just when I think I'm doing the right thing..."

"Darla," Drew said shaking her head. "This doesn't change things. You know, he's sent you things before. You don't need flowers. You need him here. With you and Rafe."

Darla nodded. "You're right."

Drew stood up. "I'm just going to file these away. I'll be right back."

"Sure," Darla replied, still gazing at the roses.

Darla knew that Drew was right. Roses were not going to solve their problems and they shouldn't make her change her mind. She had decided to sign the papers.

Grabbing a quill from her drawer, she scratched her name across her portion before she could change her mind again.

All that remained now was getting Hans to sign the papers as well. And then...their marriage would be over.

After that, it would be easier to move on. Liam crossed her mind, but she pushed the thoughts of him away. It still hurt to think how easily he could shove her aside.

The man in question was also trying very hard to throw himself into his work. He had already seen seven patients that morning and was about to see the eighth. He opened the door and was surprised to see his brother sitting on the examination table. "Conor?" Liam asked, raising an eyebrow. "What are you doing here? Is something wrong?"

Conor shook his head. "Not with me."

Liam sent his brother a confused look. "Then why are you here?"

"Checking on my brother," Conor replied. "There's no law against that, is there?

"No," Liam replied. "But you've never bothered before."

Conor shrugged. "Pardon me for saying this, but you look like shite, little brother."

"I've been busy," Liam muttered.

"I know Mum going back to Dad threw you for a loop," Conor said. "It did for me, too. But, we can't change it. Maybe the next time she leaves, it will stick. "

"Yeah right," Liam snapped.

"The point is," Conor said. "You can't ruin your life because of their bad decisions."

"I'm not ruining anything," Liam said.

"Oh?" Conor asked, folding his arms. "When was the last time you went out? When was the last time you did something just for fun?"

"I don't have time for fun these days," Liam told his brother.

"Why?" Conor pressed.

"Because I have sick people that need my help," Liam told his brother impatiently.

"Twenty-four hours a day?" Conor asked.

"What are you getting at?" Liam asked him.

"I'm worried about you," Conor said. "Look, I know I haven't always been here for you like a big brother should, but if any good thing came out of this mess with Mum, it brought you and me back together."

"I haven't seen you in almost a month," Liam pointed out.

"I was out of town on business," Conor replied. "Bloody Goblins have me running ragged. "

"Oh," Liam replied.

"Mum tried to contact you, then?" Conor asked.

"Not in the past two weeks," Liam replied.

"Me either," Conor said. "I was actually thinking of going to see her just to make sure she's fine."

"You were?" Liam asked in surprise.

Conor nodded. "You want to go with?"

"I don't know," Liam looked away.

Conor nodded. "Just let me know. I was thinking of Friday."

"I'll see what I can do," Liam said. "But if Thomas is there--"

Liam did not have to finish his sentence. On this, the brothers agreed. "How's that friend of yours anyway?" Conor asked changing the subject.

"Which one?" Liam asked.

"Darla, wasn't it?" Conor asked.

"I haven't talked to her in awhile," Liam answered.

Conor just shook his head.

"What?" Liam asked, annoyed. "I don't have time for this--"

"That what you told her?" Conor asked.

"Why do you care?" Liam snapped.

"Because you're my brother and I don't want to see you cock this up," Conor said. "I saw the two of you that night at your place, you know."

"What are you talking about?" he asked.

"You know," Conor told him.

"Whatever you saw--" Liam began.

"You're not in love with her then?" Conor asked.

"I'm not in love with anyone," Liam denied.

"Uh-huh," Conor said laughing.

"I'm not," Liam claimed. "I have no time for relationships."

Conor clapped his brother on the back. "Your partner there has a husband and three children, right? The receptionist was telling me all about that."

"I'm busier than she is," Liam made excuse. "I take on more new patients."

"Because you're throwing yourself into your work," Conor countered. "Look, Liam. Do what you want, but if you don't watch out, you'll lose it before you even had a chance to have it. I was just like you, you know? Throwing myself into my work..."

"You're not married and you don't care," Liam countered.

"I don't want the same thing to happen to you," Conor said. "Look, before it's too late and you're too old and that girl's moved on to someone else..."

"She's trying to work things out with her husband," Liam said.

"And you're just standing back?" Conor asked.

"It's her husband," Liam argued. "They have a son together."

"And if things don't work out with him?" Conor pressed.

"I'm not going there," Liam said warningly.

Conor stood up. "Just---just think about what I said."

"Fine," he sighed.

"Let me know about Friday," Conor said.

Liam nodded. "I'll owl you tonight."

"Take care," Conor told him before seeing himself out.

Liam looked at the empty doorway for a moment thoughtfully. Perhaps his brother was right- even though he didn't want to admit it.

He had thought a lot about Darla and when he had seen her sister in the office earlier, it had taken all that he had not to stop her and ask after Darla.

He missed her, but was loathe to drag her into his family troubles.

She had enough to deal with as it was. If things weren't so messed up, maybe things could be different.

But perhaps Conor WAS right. Maybe it wasn't too late for him to be a part of her life again, even if it was just as friends.

320. Chapter 320 Memory Lane

Authors' note: Tonight finds us with a trip down memory lane as Alice and Frank share a memory of Harry's parents. We hope you enjoy it! Please read and review!

When Neville had asked Harry if he minded stopping by the house to sit with Frank and Alice for awhile, he'd readily agreed. Not only just to help out his friend- his motives were also a bit selfish. He was dying to ask them questions about his parents. These were two people- aside from Lupin- who were his parents' best friends. They'd worked together, lived near one another... Frank and Alice could probably tell him loads about them and perhaps things Lupin hadn't even known.

Harry also knew that Neville's parents were still dealing with everything they had learned about the war. Neville had told him how hard it was to tell them about the old friends that had died and the ones who had turned dark and fought for Voldemort.

So he patiently sat by while he, Frank and Alice enjoyed some tea and scones that Neville had made earlier.
"I'll say this for Nev," Harry said. "He knows how to make a mean scone."

"From what he tells me, you're quite a cook yourself," Alice said to him.

"I had years of experience," Harry replied.

Alice nodded. "Living with your aunt and uncle."

Harry nodded too but didn't say anything. It had been so long since he'd lived with the Dursleys or even heard of anything involving his aunt or cousin, but sometimes thinking back on those years cut him deeply.

"Your mother loved you so much," Alice said softly. "She never wanted you to feel unloved or unwanted." Neville had told her about how cold and distant Harry's relatives had been. She knew that Lily would have hated to know that her son had grown up under such a roof.

"I always hoped I would have made them proud," Harry said quietly.

Frank nodded. "I think James and Lily would have been very proud."

Harry smiled at him.

"And they would have been proud of your children and grandchildren as well," Alice commented.

Harry laughed. "They probably would have all given each other a run for their money."

Alice looked at him. When Neville had told her that Harry was going to visit, she had looked through some of her old mementos and found a couple of photographs she thought he would want to see. She slid the photographs across the table at him. One photo was of she and Lily holding their year-old sons. Neville's face was smeared with chocolate icing and he waved enthusiastically at the camera from his mother's lap.

Harry laughed. "Where did this come from?" he asked.

"Right after your first birthday party," Alice recalled. "James and Frank had just returned home from a mission. Sirius and Remus were there, too. Since you and Neville were born to close together, your mother and I planned this big party."

"You did?" Harry asked interestedly.

"Yes," Alice said and she nudged her husband. "And Frank kept telling me I shouldn't go all out because Neville was too young to remember it."

Frank laughed. "All Neville wanted to do was put his hands in that cake."

Alice smiled at the memory. It was one of the last happy times that she could remember. Although the war with Voldemort was heating up, she and Lily had wanted their sons to live as normal a life as possible.

"No, no Harry," Lily said, laughing. "You mustn’t eat that candle."

Harry looked innocently at his mother and held out the birthday candle.

"Thank you," Lily smiled and took the candle from his chubby fingers. "You're a mess, my little man."

Harry held up his arms and Lily picked him up. "I can't believe you're a year old, Harry James."

James came up behind her and made a goofy face at his son. "Lil, he's a year old. You act like tomorrow he's boarding the Hogwarts Express..."

"Before we know it, he will be," Lily kissed her son's cheek.

"I'll need to buy you a load of handkerchiefs when that happens," James teased. "I can just see you crying a river at Kings' Cross."

"I'll fill the lake by Hogwarts," Lily replied with a grin.

"I'll be right there with you," Alice said before hurrying to catch Neville before he reached the cake.

James laughed. "These two are determined to get into that."

"Troublemakers just like their fathers," Alice said with a grin.

"I resemble that remark," James retorted playfully.

"We don't go looking for trouble," Frank said picking his son up and putting him on his shoulders. "It just always seems to find us, doesn't it, Nev?"

Neville pulled hard on his father's hair, making Frank wince.

"Good one, Neville," James grinned.

"You're one to talk, James." Lily said. "Remember when Harry yanked out some of your hair the other night? You wanted me to put it back in with a spell--"

"Lily!" James interjected.

Alice laughed. "You boys are so vain."

"Well, when you look this good," James said puffing his chest out.

Lily poked him in the chest. "I'm sure Frank and Alice don't need you raising their roof with your ego."

"You know you love me for it," James said leaning in to give his wife a kiss.

"Yayayaya!" Harry shouted.

Lily laughed. "I think that means he's ready for his birthday cake."

"So is Neville," Alice said as Neville again tried to launch himself at the cake.

Lily sat down at the table with Harry in her lap. His eyes were wide as he looked at the birthday cake. "James, will you light the candles? One for Neville and one for Harry."

"Sure," James said, pulling out his wand.

Lily bounced Harry on her lap and he laughed happily.

James grinned at his wife and son. "I can't believe he's a year old already."

"The time goes by so fast," Lily said kissing the top of her son's head. "Which is why we need to cherish these memories while we can. The world is so...unpredictable right now. "

"I know," James agreed soberly. "Frank and I are leaving next week for another raid."

Lily frowned. "James, you just returned..."

"I know," James said. "But this raid could really give us the information we need to get Voldemort, Lil."

Lily nodded. "I know."

Frank also nodded. "This is a big one. A lot of Death Eaters will be there. Alice is coming too."

"What about Neville?" Lily asked looking at the little boy who was trying unsuccessfully for the cake again.

"My mother's going to watch him," Frank replied.

Lily nodded. "If she ever can't take him--"

Alice smiled at her friend. "I know, Frank and I love you for that. You know the same stands for us with Harry."

Lily grinned. "I hope the boys are close when they get older. They'll be seeing a lot of each other."

"They'll be thick as thieves," James said confidently.

"Of course they will be," Lily began laughing as Neville managed to get himself a handful of icing.

Alice shook her head. "Neville!"

"Ummm!" Neville jammed his hand into his mouth, smearing the icing all over.

James grabbed the camera. "Alice, move over beside Lily. I want to get a picture of this."

"Come on little man," Lily said, picking Harry up. She laughed when the little boy grinned at her.

"Ma," Harry said leaning against her.

Lily kissed the top of his head. "Smile for Daddy, Harry."

Harry locked eyes with his father and grinned.

"That's a boy," James laughed. "Hey Neville! Over here!"

Neville waved and smiled at James.

In the present, the adult Harry looked down at the photo of his younger self looking happy and innocent. "She called me 'little man'?" Harry asked Alice.

"Yes she did," Alice recalled. "Because you looked so much like James."

Harry smiled. "That's what I called Ethan when he was younger."

"Must have stuck in your head," Alice replied.

"Yeah," Harry said softly.

"Your parents revolved their world around you," Frank told him. "You meant everything to them."

Harry nodded, feeling tears welling up in his eyes. He had only one year with his parents. It seemed so unfair, but at least he had Frank and Alice around now to tell him stories. It was the next best thing to having them here.

Alice moved around the table next to him. "They died to protect you," she told him. "We would have done it for Neville if we'd been in his place."

Harry nodded. "I know."

"Frank and I will be happy to tell you everything we remember about them," Alice put a comforting hand on his shoulder.

"Thank you," Harry said, hugging her. "Thank you so much."

Alice patted his back. "I think they'd be very, very proud of you."

Harry smiled. "Yeah?" He was an adult now, but he still needed to hear that.

"Absolutely," Frank agreed with a grin.

Alice and Frank shared a few more stories with Harry before excusing themselves to sit outside in the garden. The weather was unseasonably warm and Alice liked being outside. Harry stayed inside and looked at the photographs Alice had given him.

He wasn't jealous of Neville for having his parents back, but he still wished it could be him.

He felt a hand on his shoulder and looked up to see Cho. "Hey."

"Hi," she smiled. "Where are Frank and Alice?"

"Sitting in the garden," Harry replied.

"It is a lovely day today," Cho said. "I might see if they want to go for a walk."

Harry did not answer her and Cho looked over his shoulder to see what he was studying.

"Is that you with your parents?" Cho asked. "And is that Neville?"

Harry nodded. "That's us."

"How sweet," Cho commented. "Look how happy your mum is."

"My dad was the one taking the photograph," Harry told her.

"It's a really nice picture," Cho said, putting her hand on his shoulder. "Are you all right?"

Harry nodded and wiped at his eyes. He had not cried in front of too many people in his life. He had seen it as a weakness, but now, he could not hold it in.

"Hey it's all right," Cho said comfortingly. "I know how much you miss them. I miss mine too."

The war had taken so much from so many people, Harry thought as he cried in Cho's arms.

Cho rocked him back and forth like she would a small child until he settled down. "I'm sorry..." Harry said. "I hate doing that."

"You don't have to apologise," Cho said softly.

"I just really miss them sometimes," Harry said. "And no one else really understands- except you."

"You know you can talk to me about it anytime," Cho told him.

"I know," Harry offered her a slight smile.

"With everything that's been going on, I guess we haven't really had a chance to talk just the two of us," Cho said. "I miss my best friend."

"Me too," Harry nodded. "We're all so busy these days."

"Never too busy to make time for each other," Cho said. "We'll have to do better. Frank and Alice...they've taught me one thing---never take the people you love for granted."

Harry agreed. "I'm going to make a copy of these so I can take them home with me to show Hermione."

Cho smiled and looked at the photograph. "That's how Ethan looked, too. You know? When he was a baby..."

Harry smiled. "My mum called me 'little man' just like I did with Ethan."

Cho laughed. "It must run in the family."

Harry wiped at his eyes. "Thanks, Cho."

"Anytime," Cho told him. "You know you can come over anytime to talk to Frank and Alice. They love the company."

Harry smiled. "How are they doing? Any more memory slips?"

"In the past few days they've been really on," Cho said, looking out the window.

"That's great news," Harry commented.

Cho nodded. "Neville's so happy. I'm so excited for him."

"Me too," Harry said. "I can't remember when I've seen him this happy."

Cho squeezed his arm. "He knows you wish it were your parents. He wouldn't begrudge you that, Harry. But it means a lot to him that you're happy for him."

Harry was glad to hear that. He took out his wand and duplicated the photos and pocketed his copies.

"Want to stay for dinner?" Cho offered.

"Maybe another time," Harry replied. "I should go home."

"Tell Hermione I said hello," Cho gave him another hug. "And tell her how you're feeling. I imagine she knows how it feels too."

"I will," Harry promised. "Thanks again."

"You know it," Cho smiled at him before heading outside.

Harry arrived home and found his wife in her office. She smiled up at him. "Hi. How was your visit?"

"It was good," Harry said, settling on her sofa.

Hermione sat down beside him. "You look a little sad."

Harry looked thoughtful for a few moments before recounting what Alice had told him, and his moments with Cho afterwards. "I just really miss them, Hermione. I feel cheated. I never got to know my parents."

Hermione squeezed his hand. "I know you do."

Harry pulled out one picture. "Alice told me my mother used to call me little man."

"Just like you with Ethan," Hermione said softly. She looked at the photograph. "And look at that handsome little boy..."

Harry smiled. "She looks happy."

"She does," Hermione agreed. "You know, remember how you felt when Julie was that age. Our first child...and she was happy and healthy. I imagine that's exactly how your mum felt."

Harry smiled. "That was an incredible feeling. Each time."

"It was," Hermione agreed.

Harry put an arm around her and kissed the side of her head. "My parents only a had a year with me. I'm lucky to have had as many as I have with Julie, Ethan and Saffron."

"And hopefully you and I will have many, many more," Hermione said.

Harry hugged her to him. "I plan on that, Mrs. Potter."

*** *** ***

Alexa and Gabriel had managed to clear away some time on their busy schedules to study and were currently sitting in his grandparents' sitting room. Alexa smiled at the look of intense concentration on her boyfriend's face as he studied his textbook.

He looked up and saw her watching him. "What?"

"You look so serious," Alexa teased.

Gabriel smiled. "I'm studying about the insides of the human heart."

Alexa looked over at the picture that had held Gabriel's rapt attention. "Wow...hard to believe all that is inside you, isn't it?"

Gabriel nodded. "Among other things."

Alexa nudged him. "Dr. Boyd."

"I can't wait until I get to intern," Gabriel replied. "To really be there and see things firsthand. I don't get to see the surgeries yet."

"You'll be great," Alexa said loyally. "You certainly work harder than anyone I've ever known."

"Thanks Lexie," Gabriel replied.

"Well, I'll let you get back to your heart," Alexa said. "I'm going to finish reading my assignment for American Lit."

"Something interesting?" he asked.

"Steinbeck," Alexa replied.

Gabriel nodded. "I'll stick with the heart."

Gabriel was trying to highlight a passage in his textbook, but the marker was dry. He asked his girlfriend if he could borrow one of hers and she told him to look in her backpack. As he did so, he saw a pamphlet for the University of London. "Lex? What's this?"

"What?" Alexa asked. "Oh that... um..."

"Why are you looking at this?" Gabriel asked.

Alexa sighed. "Well... I'm thinking of going there next year."

"What?" Gabriel asked taken aback. "Why?"

"Because I'm not happy here," Alexa said. "Not like I thought I'd be."

Gabriel looked at her with genuine surprise. "When were you planning on telling me?"

"I don't know," Alexa said. "Soon."

Gabriel shook his head. "I can't believe this."

"Gabe it's not that big a deal," Alexa said. "I just miss England. I miss my parents."

"Not that a big a deal?" Gabriel asked sarcastically.

"It's not like we'd see each other any more or less than we do now," Alexa said, growing defensive.

"That's what this is about!" Gabriel retorted. "Me not spending time with you."

"It is not," Alexa denied. "I just told you why!"

Gabriel sighed. "Right."

Alexa rubbed at her forehead. "You have to admit, things aren't right between us."

"Yes, but things will slow down in the summer," Gabriel argued.

"You told me the other day that you'll be interning most of the summer," Alexa said. "How do you plan on being in England and interning here?"

"I was hoping to talk you into staying here," Gabriel said.

Alexa stared at him in disbelief.

"I can't stay here," she told him. "Saffy's getting married."

"Yeah but that's not the whole summer," Gabriel pointed out.

"Yes, but there's all the planning and I already promised my mum I'd help her at the bakery," Alexa said.

"You do that every summer," Gabriel said. "Come on Lexie. We can make this work."

"I don't know," Alexa replied.

"So you're ready to just give up on us?" he asked.

Alexa shook her head. "No, of course not. I just--"

Gabriel shut his book and shoved it into his bag.

"Gabe," Alexa said. "I was going to tell you about this. I was."

"Right," he said coolly. "As you were on your way out the door?"

Alexa knew that he had a point there. She had just been waiting for the right time to tell him. "The truth is I haven't been very happy here. It's like I'm here and the whole time I'm here, I was wishing I was home. It's not you. I understand how important this is to you and I know how busy you are. But, this is about me and what I need to do for myself."

Gabriel sighed. "I guess I haven't really been around as much as I thought I would."

Alexa reached for his hand. "You don't have to apologise for following your dream. I'm so proud of you and I know that you have to work hard to make this happen."

"Thanks," he said, a bit wistfully. "I guess I thought I could have it all."

Alexa smiled. "You are your father's son after all."

"I guess," Gabriel sighed.

Alexa hugged him. "I'm sorry I didn't say anything sooner."

"I think we're both at fault here," Gabriel admitted.

Alexa nodded. "We knew it was going to be busy, but I don't think either of us know how much."

"So what do we do?" Gabriel asked.

"I don't know," Alexa said honestly.

"We already tried taking a break once," Gabriel said.

"Maybe we could try it again," Alexa said. "We still love each other. We both know that, but right now, you have to put all you have into your studies. And I need to figure out what I want to do."

"I guess," Gabriel said reluctantly.

"Not a break-up," Alexa clarified. "We'll still see each other when we can."

"Sure," Gabriel replied.

Alexa gave him a kiss. "I still love you."

"I'll always love you, Lexie." Gabriel said, hugging her. "You know that."

"I know," Alexa said softly.

"I guess we should get back to school," Gabriel said quietly.

Alexa nodded. "Yeah."

"I'll drive you back," Gabriel offered.

Alexa shook her head. "It's okay. I can just Apparate."

"Are you sure?" he asked.

"Yes," Alexa said. "Besides, you need to study."

"Yeah," he nodded. "If I can keep my mind on it."

Alexa gave him another hug. "You can, Gabe."

"I'll call you soon?" he asked her.

"You'd better," Alexa said smiling at him.

Gabriel watched her go with a heavy feeling in his chest. Even though this was the second time they'd taken a break, this felt different. It felt final to him. And that scared him a lot.

She was the first girl he had ever truly loved and it was hard to think of her not being a part of his life.

Alexa arrived back at campus and ducked into her room. She knew it was late in England, but she wanted to ring Saffron and tell her what had happened.

Thankfully, the room was empty as Carmen was in class.

It had just gone ten and Saffron was checking on Ellie when she heard her mobile ring. "Andrew," she said in a loud whisper. "Will you get that?"

Andrew nodded and looked at the screen. "It's Lexie."

"I'll be right there," Saffron said.

"Hiya, Lexie," Andrew said answering the phone.

"Andrew!" Alexa said in surprise. "Sorry- I wasn't expecting you to pick up."

"Saffy's just checking on Ellie," Andrew told her.

"How is my goddaughter?" Alexa asked.

"Adorable," Andrew replied. "Though she's getting tired of Saffron being in her face trying to get her to say 'mama' every five seconds."

Alexa laughed. "We know Saffy's persistent."

"I heard that!" Saffron hissed.

"Uh oh," Andrew said. "I'm in trouble."

Saffron swatted at him. "Let me have the phone."

"See you later Lexie," Andrew said before his fiancée snatched her mobile out of his hand.

"He's exaggerating," Saffron told Alexa. "I haven't been in her face and I'm only coaching her like any good mother would do. If she happens to say my name first---it's only fair, you know?"

Alexa laughed. "You DID carry her inside you."

"That's what I keep telling Andrew," Saffron said. "So, what's up with you?"

"Well," Alexa began. "Gabe and I broke up... again."

"How are you feeling?" Saffron asked.

"I feel okay, actually." Alexa said.

"Did you tell him about the University of London?" Saffron asked.

"He sort of saw it on his own," Alexa told her. "At first he seemed really angry but I think he understands where I'm coming from."

"Well, I think it's great that you guys finally talked," Saffron said. "And maybe this will be good for you."

"I hope so," Alexa said. "I'd love to work things out."

"Maybe you can," Saffron said.

"Time will tell," Alexa replied. "I can't wait to come home this weekend."

"Me too," Saffron said. "We'll take your mind off of all that drama."

"It's really helped me get through the last few months," Alexa replied.

"Well, we have loved having you, you know that," Saffron told her. "Especially Ellie."

"Spending time with her is so much fun," Alexa agreed. "I love watching her grow."

"Which she is doing very fast," Saffron said, smiling as Andrew carried Ellie into the room.

"She's not ready to go back down yet," Andrew told her.

"Lex, I have to go, but I'll see you on Friday, okay?" Saffron said.

"All right," Alexa said. "Take care, Saffy."

Saffron set the phone down and looked at her daughter. "If she was our age, she'd be begging for sleep. But, look at her. Wide awake."

"She knows we're tired," Andrew kissed his daughter's cheek.

Ellie smiled at him and reached a chubby hand up at him.

"What?" Andrew made a face at her. "What do you want, baby girl?"

Ellie cooed as she reached for Andrew's fringe.

"Oh no," Andrew said. "Daddy's gotten too quick for you."

Saffron grinned and looked down at her daughter. "Ma-ma. Ma-ma. Come on, Ellie."

""Don't listen to her, El." Andrew told the baby.

Saffron knew Ellie was too young to start talking, but she could not help herself. "Don't listen to Daddy," Saffron countered.

"Actually you should keep it up," Andrew said. "She might get bored enough to sleep."

"You're lucky that you're holding her right now," Saffron warned him.

Andrew made a face at her and she couldn't help but laugh.

"Let's just lie down with her," Saffron suggested. "That usually helps."

"All right," Andrew agreed.

Saffron led the way into their bedroom and Andrew gently lowered himself down on the bed. Ellie was still cooing happily in her father's arms. She tossed her mobile on the dresser then got herself ready for bed. "She's really talking tonight."

“She's happy," Andrew said patting Ellie's back.

Saffron smiled. "I know how she feels."

Saffron climbed into bed and rested her head on Andrew's shoulder. The baby was lying on Andrew's chest and her eyes met her mother's. "Hi, little face."

Ellie smiled toothlessly.

Saffron leaned in and kissed her daughter's cheek. "That's my girl."

"She's been a great baby," Andrew commented.

"Well, of course," Saffron said with a grin. "Her parents are soooooooooo fabulous!"

"Especially her father," Andrew said with a straight face. "Star of the Wimbourne team."

"Oh, really?" Saffron asked giggling.

"Absolutely," Andrew replied. "And she manages to live down the shame of the Puddlemere side--"

"Again, very good for you that you're holding the baby," Saffron said.

"You couldn't do anything," Andrew said smugly.

"She's going in her crib son," Saffron said. "Let's see how bold you are when it's just you."

"Ooooh I'm scared of the two stone girl," Andrew said jokingly.

"As you should be," Saffron said with a gleam in her eye.

"That is a bit of a scary look," Andrew admitted. "I think El needs me to stay with her all night..."

"Are you sure you're a Gryffindor?" Saffron asked.

"Shut it," Andrew replied.

"Ellie, your daddy is a silly goose," Saffron said.

Ellie yawned and blinked at her.

"Finally sleepy," Saffron said softly.

"Me too," Andrew replied.

"I'll go and put her in her crib," Saffron said.

"All right," Andrew kissed the top of the baby's head.\

Saffron picked up Ellie and carried her into the nursery. "Sweet dreams, Ellie."

Ellie smacked her lips, already asleep as Saffron put her into the crib.

Saffron looked down at her daughter for a few moments.

She was already getting so big. Soon her baby would be walking and talking.

Saffron was still smiling as she left the room.

"All tucked in?" Andrew asked when she came back into the bedroom.

"And out like a light," Saffron replied, climbing back into bed.

"I'm about there myself," Andrew said, reaching for her.

Saffron nodded. "Lexie and Gabe broke up."

"I had a feeling that's what happened," Andrew said.

"Maybe they can work it out, I don't know," Saffron said. "But, she seems okay with it."

"I wonder how he's doing?" Andrew said. "I'm sure he's not too happy about it."

"I'll call him tomorrow to see," Saffron said.

"I'm sure he'd appreciate that," Andrew told her. "He's a good bloke."

"He is," Saffron agreed.

Andrew yawned. "You'll have to let me know how he's doing."

"I will," Saffron said closing her eyes. "Night, Andrew."

Andrew kissed the side of her head. "Night Saf. I love you."

"Love you too," Saffron said.

321. Chapter 321 An Unexpected Visitor

Authors' note: Don't want to spoil what happens in this chapter with the authors' note so we'll just ask that you please read and review!

Nick was enjoying a quiet afternoon in his studio as he worked on another new album. Life lately had been pretty stress free and a lot of his new songs reflected that.

His band would arrive in the next couple of hours to lay down some tracks and he was eager to fine-tune some of the problems he was having with the melody on one particular song.

He hummed a few lines of the song as he moved over to his sound board. He was about to record a few notes when he heard a knock on his door.

Julie was out shopping with their girls and he and Greta were the only ones home. Nick hurried upstairs to get the door.

Greta was standing in the corridor with a look of shock on her face. "Greta?" Nick asked. "What is it?"

"Your---your father is waiting in the sitting room for you," Greta told him.

"What?" Nick asked. "Is this some sort of joke?"

Greta shook her head. "No, Nicholas. I wouldn't joke about this."

Nick shook his head in confusion and hurried upstairs.

His father was sitting on the sofa looking a little more pale than Nick remembered and he looked like he had lost a little weight.

"What are you doing here?" Nick asked without preamble.

"I was called in for a consult at St. Mungos," Draco replied. "I thought I'd stop by and see how my only son was doing."

"Since when do you care?" Nick asked coldly.

"Fair enough," Draco said leaning back on the sofa. "This is a nice home you have here."

"I know," Nick crossed his arms.

"Much homier than my home in Sydney," Draco commented. "Your mother treats it more like a museum."

"Why are you here?" Nick asked, cutting off the small talk.

Draco understood why his son was acting this way. If the situation were reversed, he was sure he would have reacted much the same. "Well, you see, you didn't know your grandfather very well. He was very cold and distant and he used me whenever he needed to, but he did not love me."

"So you decided to act the same way," Nick said sarcastically. "There's a lesson learned..."

"No, Nicholas," Draco interjected. "The thing is that I used to tell myself I'd never treat a child of mine like that. Hell, I didn't even want to have a child because I knew that I wasn't someone that anyone should have as a father."

Nick rolled his eyes. "Well you did, and you treated me like shit. And that's why I want nothing to do with you."

Draco stood up. "I was hoping it wasn't too late."

Nick shrugged.

"I'm not saying I deserve a second chance, of course," Draco said, standing up. "I am just asking for the chance to know my grandchildren and to get to know my son."

"No," Nick replied. "You will not talk to my daughters, or get to know them."

"You had that ring tested, right?" Draco guessed. "I'm guessing that you found out that it isn't charmed, or cursed, or hexed."

"Luckily for you," Nick said shortly.

"Have you given it back to Katherine yet?" Draco asked.

"Not yet," Nick answered.

"Are you going to?" Draco pressed.

"We were talking about it," Nick said evasively.

"Well, I don't want Ashley to feel left out," Draco said. "You remember the extensive art collection we have at the estate in Sydney. I'd love to show it to her."

"We aren't going back to Sydney," Nick stated.

"Nicholas, please," Draco said. "I would really like it if you would."

Nick stared at his father. "Why?" he asked. "Why now?"

Draco did not answer him.

"Another scheme?" Nick asked.

Draco shook his head. "No, son."

"Then WHAT?" Nick asked, starting to lose his temper.

Draco sighed and Nick wondered why his father was not arguing with him or making snide comments. This was not like him at all.

"Did something happen to Mother?" Nick asked.

"Your mother is fine," Draco replied, sitting back down.

"Then why the hell are you here?" Nick asked angrily.

"The truth is," Draco started to say. "The truth is---"

"Dad!" Katie came bursting into the room "Wait until you see--" she stopped short. "Grandfather!"

Katie dropped her shopping bags and ran over to Draco.

"Katie," Nick said sharply. "Go outside, please."

"But, Dad," Katie protested.

"Go," Nick replied.

"Listen to your father," Draco said to Katie.

"But..." Katie looked helplessly between the two of them.

"It's okay," Draco told her. "I'll come and say goodbye when I'm finished speaking with your father."

"No you won't," Nick snapped.

Ashley and Julie stepped into the room. Julie's face fell when she saw who their guest was.

"Julie," Draco nodded to her. "And Ashley."

"Hello," Julie said quietly.

"We'll be done in a minute," Nick said. "I need to speak to my father alone."

"Of course," Julie nodded. "Come on, Katie. We'll show your new things to Greta."

Katie cast a regretful look at her grandfather before following her mother and sister out of the room.

"I'm sorry about that," Draco said to his son.

"Look," Nick said. "I'm very busy today. If you don't have a real reason for being here--"

"I'm dying," Draco told him.

Nick stopped and stared at him.

"I wasn't consulting with a patient at St. Mungos," Draco explained. "I was seeing a specialist. Healer Fitzpatrick, if you think I'm lying. You can talk with him and he'll back me up. I'm not making this up, Nicholas."

“Why should I believe you?” Nick asked.

"You shouldn't," Draco admitted. "But, like I said feel free to contact my healer."

Nick shook his head. "This is unbelievable."

"Your mother doesn't know," Draco told him. "I've known for a couple of months now and I'm trying to get my affairs in order.”

"You mean you're supposedly dying and not telling your wife?" Nick asked disdainfully. "Some marriage."

Draco sighed. "You know your mother, Nicholas. She would freak out and make this about her and while I do love her very much, it's not about her."

Nick rolled his eyes but he knew his father was right. "So what's wrong with you?"

Draco let out a hollow laugh. "Of all things, it's a Muggle disease. Can you believe that?"

Nick raised an eyebrow. "What?"

"Cancer," Draco replied. "Just before Christmas, my personal healer found a tumour on my lung. They tried everything they could to get rid of it, but it just keeps growing back. The spells have done a number on my body and it's just a matter of time..."

Nick stared at his father and for the first time, considered that Draco might just not be lying. "You have lung cancer?"

Draco nodded. "Yes."

Nick just shook his head.

"You used to tell me when you were little to stop smoking," Draco said. "If only I'd have listened."

"Wouldn't be the first time you never listened to something I had to say," Nick pointed out.

"True enough," Draco said. "But, that's why I'm here. This has put things into perspective for me."

"I don't know what to think about this," Nick said honestly.

"I understand," Draco said. "I honestly wasn't going to tell you. But, I didn't know any other way to get through to you."

"I don't know if this could make any difference," Nick replied.

Draco just stared at him for a few moments. "I should get going," Draco replied. "Rounds at my hospital and I'm already late."

"Right," Nick nodded.

"Would it be okay if I said goodbye to the children?" Draco asked.

Nick nodded, a bit reluctantly. "I don't want you telling them anything about this."

Draco nodded. "Of course."

Nick went to the door. "Ashley, Katie... come on in here."

Katie hurried toward him, but Ashley hung back a bit, unsure of how to react to this.

"Why can't you stay?" Katie asked him.

"I have lots of work to do back in Sydney," Draco said smiling at her. "Professor Snape tells me how well you're doing in your classes, Katherine. I'm quite proud."

"Thank you," Katie glowed. "I love Potions!"

Draco patted her shoulder and then turned his attention to Ashley. "And I hear that you're quite the artist."

"Yes," Ashley said quietly.

"Your grandmother and I have an extensive art collection at our home," Draco told her. "I'd love for you to see it sometime."

Ashley shrugged.

"She's going to study at the Sor--Sor---what's it called again, Ash?" Katie asked.

"La Sorbonne," Ashley said, folding her arms.

"Ah," Draco nodded. "Congratulations."

"Thanks," Ashley replied.

Draco seemed unsure as to what to say next and Nick decided to rescue his father. "I'll see you out, Father."

Draco nodded. "Take care of yourselves."

"Goodbye, Grandfather," Katie said.

"Goodbye, Katherine," Draco said to her before leaving.

Nick followed his father to the door. "Thank you for not saying anything to them."

"You asked me not to," Draco said.

"And you actually listened to me," Nick said.

"Yes well this whole sickness has changed my outlook on things," Draco replied.

Nick folded his arms. "If you're lying to me about this---"

"I'm not," Draco interrupted.

Nick looked at his father and though he did not know exactly why, he believed him. The pale skin, the weight loss---and the fact that his father had smoked quite heavily---seemed to prove what he was saying. It was just so hard to believe him after all that his father had done over the years. Honesty was not something he was known for.

"I guess I'll be in touch," he said. "I have to think things over."

"Me too," Draco said. "Take care, Nicholas."

Nick nodded. "You too..."

Draco offered him a slight smile before leaving.

Nick shook his head before heading into the kitchen to see his wife.

"I sent the girls upstairs to show Greta what they bought," Julie explained when she saw him. She shook her head. "What on earth was he doing here?"

"He's dying," Nick said. "Of lung cancer."

Julie stared at him. "What?"

"I know," Nick replied. "I had the same reaction. But I believe him."

Julie approached her husband and put her arm on his shoulder. "How are you feeling?"

"I don't know," Nick replied. "I really don't know what to think of all this. It's so sudden."

Julie gave him a hug.

He wound his arms around her and held her tightly to him. "He seems genuine," he told his wife.

"It certainly explains why he's been reaching out the way he has," Julie commented. "Nick, I know he's done some horrible things, but he is still your father. I know that if this is true..."

"I know," he said. "I have to think about this."

"If you need to talk, you know I'm here," Julie offered.

Nick smiled at her. "I'm sure I'll talk your ear off once I make heads or tails of this."

Julie squeezed his hand. "That's what I'm here for."

Nick gave her a kiss. "I love you, Jules."

"I love you too," Julie said. "I take it you want to keep this from the girls until you've had time to think this over?"

"That’s the idea," Nick nodded. "Especially since Katie seems to have formed a bond with him."

"Okay," Julie agreed. "I won't say a word."

"Thanks," Nick replied. "So what's the damage today?"

"Not too bad," Julie replied. "Ashley bought some new art supplies and Katie bought some new outfits."

"Good," Nick replied. "I think I'm going back to my studio. The guys are coming by in a bit but Ineed time to think."

"Of course," Julie said.

Nick gave her another kiss before heading back downstairs. His father was dying. Dying.

Nick honestly did not know what to do with this information. He and his father had never been close. Nick had spent most of his childhood trying to get his father to notice him, but failing each time.

And now that he was dying, he wanted Nick's attention. He wanted to get to know him. Part of him wanted to say too little too late, but the other part of him couldn't bear to turn his father away.

He honestly did not know how his father was going to keep this from his mother. Of course, if his mother was still drinking like she was, she probably had no clue.

Nick pushed his thoughts of her out of his head and returned to those of Draco. Perhaps it wouldn't be a lost cause just yet. Reaching out now was better late than never.

Nick pulled the Malfoy ring from his pocket. "Katie!" he called out.

He went upstairs as Katie hurried into the hallway. "Yes Dad?"

"I believe this belongs to you," Nick said handing her the ring.

Katie stared at it as a huge grin broke out on her face. "I can have it back? Really?"

Nick nodded. "Your grandfather really wanted you to have it."

Katie threw her arms around him. "Thanks Daddy!"

Nick hugged her tightly. "You're welcome, sweetheart."

"Why was he here?" Katie asked.

"He wanted to make sure that you got your ring," Nick lied. "That's all."

"Oh," Katie gazed at it. "I'm glad."

"You like your grandfather, eh?" Nick asked her.

Katie nodded.

"Just promise you that you won't hide anything from us like that again," Nick told her.

"I won't have to, now." Katie said.

Nick chuckled. "Katherine Rose..."

Katie grinned at him.

Nick gave her another hug. "I love you, sweetheart."

"I love you too," Katie said. "I can't wait to show off my new clothes at school."

Nick tugged on one of her streaks. "And your new hair?"

"Thank Merlin for Zoë," Katie said. "My hair looks way cooler than before."

"My rock star," Nick said grinning down at her.

"Maybe that's what I'll be someday," Katie said.

"I don't doubt that for a moment," Nick said.

"And I still want to be a model," Katie replied.

"And an actress?" Nick teased.

"If I need the media," Katie tossed her head.

"Just don't forget the people who knew you when," Nick said.

"Of course not," Katie replied, laughing.

"That's my girl," Nick said. "I'll see you at dinner."

Katie nodded and hurried upstairs to ring Lindsey and tell her about the ring.

Ashley heard her sister. "Katie? What did Dad want?"

"I got my ring back," Katie glowed.

"Dad let you have it?" Ashley asked in surprise.

Katie nodded. "I don't know why, but I don't care!"

Ashley hadn't expected her parents to ever let Katie have that ring back. "Don't you think this is a little strange?"

Katie shrugged. "Not really."

"Maybe I'm just thinking too much about it," Ashley said.

"You do think too much," Katie said, going past her.

Ashley did not look too convinced. She did not expect Katie to think too much more than how happy she was to have her ring back. But, Ashley had noticed something when she had spoken to her grandfather. In the handful of times she had seen him, he looked like he could not care less. But, tonight, it seemed quite different. When he had expressed an interest in her art, he had seemed genuine.

She decided to talk about everything with her parents later. Maybe they could tell her what was going on.

*** *** ***

Frankie was absolutely seething. She knew she should calm down, but she was at her wit's end. For Merlin's sake, what kind of children were at this school of Hannah's.
They had to be a collection of the meanest children on the planet, Frankie thought angrily.

As far as she knew, Hannah had not had any more problems with her classmates bringing up David Wright. But, she had just received an emergency owl from Hannah's teacher advising
that there had been another incident and while Hannah was okay at the moment, the teacher wanted to speak to Frankie after school. Will was out of town on a research trip so Frankie had to handle this all on her own.

She was due there for a meeting after school, but thought that perhaps talking to her parents might help calm her down before she headed over there. She packed up the twins and they arrived at Neville and Cho's.

"Mum?" Frankie called out. "Dad?" There was no answer and Isabelle echoed her mother and called out for Neville and Cho.

"Gamma!" Isabelle called out. "Come out!"

"I guess no one's home," Frankie said, disappointed. She had thought her mother didn't have any classes that day and was entertaining the thought of dropping in on Allison when Frank appeared.

"Gampa!" Nathan exclaimed.

"Hi Grandpa," Frankie said in surprise. "We didn't realise you'd be around today."

"Neville took Alice over to see Chiaki," Frank replied. "Cho stepped out to go to the market for some things for lunch."

"Oh," Frankie said. "Would you mind if we stuck around for a little while?"

"Absolutely not," Frank said. "Can I get you anything?"

"I was headed down to make myself some tea," Frank said. "I'd love for you to join me."

"I'd love some tea," Frankie said. "And I have some biscuits for these two here."

"Yum, yum!" Isabelle said grinning at Frank.

Frank laughed. "You two have a sweet tooth, I can see."

Frankie looked preoccupied as she led the way into the kitchen. Frank put the kettle on as Frankie helped the children into their seats.

"What's on your mind?" Frank asked her. "You seem a little upset."

"Nothing," Frankie said, not wanting to trouble her grandfather.

"You can tell me," Frank put the tea kettle on.

"Well, my oldest, Hannah, has been having some trouble at school," Frankie explained. She told him about how some of Hannah's classmates had been snide comments about her biological father.

Frank wore a frown on his face. "Can I assume you've already gone in and spoken to her teacher about this?"
"Yes," Frankie answered. "A few times. I've been asking for a meeting with the parents of these children but she won't release the names."

Frank nodded. "And how has Hannah handled this?"

"Okay," Frankie answered. "She's been pretty upset, but she doesn't want to make any waves. She's rather shy."

"She wants to just blend in," Frank commented.

Frankie nodded. "Yes she does."

Frank poured them each a cup of tea and carried them over to the table. "Well, you're just like a mother bear wanting to protect her cubs. But, you know, Frankie, there's not much you can do to stop those children from saying what they're saying. Children can be cruel."

"There has to be something," Frankie insisted. "After everything she went through at the hands of that horrible man, I won't allow her to have thoughts of him again."

"Well," Frank said thoughtfully. "Instead of concentrating on revenge, I think you should find a way of making your Hannah feel more secure. Let her know that this David Wright is not a part of her life anymore and never will be again. This horrible thing happened to her, but it doesn't have to define her."

Frankie nodded slowly. "I think you have a good point there."

Frank smiled. "She's a wonderful little girl." He remembered how the night of the family party, Hannah had stuck to Frankie's side and had helped her with the twins.

"She is," Frankie said with a grin. "I still remember the way I felt when I first met her. She was so scared and alone. I just wanted to take care of her."

"She was lucky to have you and William," Frank said. "Just as---just as I'm glad that my mother was there for Neville."

Frankie nodded. "I miss Gran. She and I were actually quite close."

Frank smiled. "She wasn't always the easiest person to get along with."

"Dad always said she was a little on the conservative side," Frankie replied. "And considering I was the wild child..."

"Your sisters were telling me some stories about you," Frank told her.

"They were probably only half true," Frankie joked.

Frank laughed. "They also said you'd say that."

Frankie grinned at him. "You didn't believe them, did you."

Frank laughed. "They also said you'd say that."

Frankie grinned at him. "You didn't believe them, did you."

"My namesake capable of such things?" Frank asked. He shook his head. "No way."

Frankie laughed. "I knew you'd see it my way."

"Of course," Frank grinned.

Frankie sipped her tea and looked at her two younger children. "If Hannah hadn't come into our lives, I don't think we'd have these two. I didn't want kids until I met her."

"Triggered your mothering instinct?" Frank asked.

"You could say that," Frankie nodded. "I suppose that's why I feel extra protective of her."

"From what Neville's told me, she's been through a lot in her young life," Frank said.

"More than a lot of people go through their entire lives," Frankie said. "At least I feel calmed down now. Before I was ready to storm in there and wring someone's neck.

"Glad I could help," Frank said patting her arm.

Frankie smiled at him. "You're a great help."

"I'm still a bit rusty with all this," Frank commented.

"You're doing fine," Frankie said. "You and Gran have already fit in so well with everyone."

Frank grinned. "You lot make it so easy."

"It sort of feels like you both were always here," Frankie said.

"Really?" Frank asked.

Frankie nodded. "We all just know how lucky we are to have you both with us."

Frank leaned back in his chair. "Alice and I try to keep telling ourselves to not think about all that we missed and just think about what we have now."

Frankie agreed with him. "Live for the present."

Nathan finished his biscuit and reached for another.

"Just one more," Frankie told her son.

"Kay," Nathan said.

"Me too," Isabelle said. "One more."

Cho came into the kitchen carrying some grocery bags. Frank stood up and helped her. "This is a nice surprise! Hello, Nathan! Izzie! Frankie!"

"Gamma!" Isabelle said happily. "We wait for you!"

"You did?" Cho asked leaning over and kissing her cheek. "I'm so happy!"

"Hi," Nathan grinned at her. "We have biscuits."

Cho gave her grandson a hug. "I see that."

"We stopped by to see you or Dad and had a nice cup of tea with Grandpa." Frankie said to her mother

"How lovely," Cho commented. "Do you want to stay for lunch? I bought some vegetarian pasta salad at the shops."

Frankie looked at her two children who nodded eagerly. "Sure. I have to go in a few hours- I have a meeting with Hannah's teacher.

"Oh?" Cho asked. "Is everything okay?"

"More of the same," Frankie replied. "Those children are at it again. This time, they're doing a report on local crimes and one kid brought in a clipping about David Wright."

Cho gasped. "No they didn't!"

"Grandpa talked me down a bit, but I was out for blood just a little while ago." Frankie said. "I don't understand how children her age can be THIS cruel."

"Especially when the girl is as sweet and sensitive as Hannah," Cho said shaking her head.

"Right," Frankie replied. "Will always does so well with her when she's upset about things like this."

"When will he be back from his trip?" Cho asked.

"Tomorrow night," Frankie said. "Nathan and Izzie can't wait."

"Daddy coming home," Isabelle said. "See me, Han and Nathan."

"That’s right love." Frankie said. "You get to stay up and wait."

Isabelle grinned. "Yay!"

"How fun," Cho smiled at her grandchildren. "Frank, I stopped and got you some fish and chips. I know you do like your meat."

Frank smiled gratefully at her. "Thank you, Cho."

"It's so funny," Frankie said. "Me, Mum and Chiaki all are vegetarian- for the most part. And Allie and Dad love their meat."

"Everyone's different, I suppose," Frank commented. "But, I am thankful that your mother thinks of me. I know it can't be easy for her."

"I'm extremely happy to have you both here," Cho assured him.

"Thanks," Frank said grinning at her as she placed the fish and chips before him.

Frankie set the table while her mother got the rest of the meal ready. "That looks delicious."

"Yummy," Nathan agreed.

"Well eat up," Cho urged. "I have plenty more."

Frankie and the twins enjoyed lunch with Frank and Cho and Cho volunteered to watch the twins while Frankie went to her meeting.

"Thank you," Frankie said gratefully. "This will go much more easily if I'm able to be there alone.

"Remember what I said," Frank said giving her a hug.

"I will," Frankie replied. "I appreciate the advice."

Frankie gave her children a quick kiss before Apparating to Hannah's school.

Hannah's teacher said she'd have her stay so Frankie could just go home with her after the meeting.

Hannah was sitting at her desk in the classroom working on her homework. She looked up when she saw her mother. "Mummy," she said quietly.

"Hi sweetheart," Frankie said.

"Mrs. Barron," Hannah's teacher, Mrs. Grayson said warmly. "Thank you for coming."

"Of course," Frankie said. "What exactly happened today?"

"Well," Mrs. Grayson explained. "The class had an assignment to bring in newspaper clippings about local crimes and someone brought in a clipping about Hannah's biological father."

"That's what you'd told me in the owl you sent," Frankie said. "I don't understand how this can keep happening. I should be able to talk to the parents who allow this sort of thing."

"The boy who brought in the clipping was sent to the headmaster's office and he was disciplined, Mrs. Barron. His parents are meeting with the headmaster right now."

"I would like to see them as well," Frankie requested.

Mrs. Grayson nodded. "You know where the headmaster's office is. I can stay with Hannah."

"Thank you," Frankie said. "I'll be back soon, sweetheart."

Hannah nodded and returned her attention to her schoolwork. Frankie walked purposely toward the headmaster's office. Will was usually the calm one, but he wasn't here.

She took some deep breaths and remembered her grandfather's advice. She was ready to tear these people from limb to limb but knew going in there like a mad woman wouldn't help matters at all.

Frankie checked in with the receptionist and the woman led her into the headmaster's office. "Mrs. Barron to see you, sir," the receptionist said.

Frankie glanced over at the people sitting to her right.

The headmaster stood up. "Mrs. Barron, this is Betty and Richard Stanfield."

"Hello," Frankie said stonily.

"Please have a seat," the headmaster said motioning toward a seat beside Mrs. Stanfield.

Frankie sat down, her eyes averting to the little boy who was on the other side of his father.

"This was a most unfortunate incident that happened in Mrs. Grayson's classroom today," the headmaster said to Frankie. "And we understand that the ringleader of the harassment of Hannah has been Phillip."

"I never knew who it was until now," Frankie answered coolly. "But it needs to stop. My daughter had no part in what happened to her mother."

"I don't think my son should be expelled for this childish prank," Mrs. Stanfield protested.

"Expelled?" Frankie asked in surprise.

"This was the fourth incident," the headmaster said.

"I handled a case that was similar to what David Wright did," Mr. Stanfield said. "I had to do some research, and Phillip got into the case file and saw Hannah's name and photo in there."

"It seems that there's also some competition in play," the headmaster said. "Phillip and Hannah have the best marks in the whole class."

"Hannah works hard for her grades," Frankie said. "This sort of thing hurts her terribly, and I don't want her marks suffering for it."

"We understand that," Mr. Stanfield said. "We had thought Phillip understood that one more time and he would have no more chances.'

"Apparently he thought otherwise," Frankie couldn't resist saying.

"We're very sorry, Mrs. Barron," Mr. Stanfield said.

"I'm really not the one who needs to be apologised to," Frankie pointed out. "This whole situation has hurt Hannah terribly. A few of her friends stopped talking to her because of it. Her father and I have had to take extra steps to reassure her of her place in our family."

"Phillip will apologise to Hannah," Mrs. Stanfield said.

"I'd like that to be done in front of the class," Frankie said. "I think they all need to know they can't bully someone because of their marks."

The headmaster nodded. "That can be arranged and we'll have Phillip serve detention for two weeks, instead of the expulsion. But, if this happens again, he will be expelled."

"Do you understand that, Phillip?" Mr. Stanfield asked sternly.

"Yes," the boy replied quietly.

"Thank you," Frankie said to the headmaster and Mr. and Mrs. Stanfield.

The headmaster nodded. "If you have any more concerns, Mrs. Barron, please let us know."

"I will," Frankie nodded. "You can count on that."

Frankie shook the headmaster's hand and then headed back toward Hannah's classroom.

She felt much lighter and really hoped this whole situation could be something they could put behind them- especially for Hannah. The less she remembered about her birth father, the better off she was.

Mrs. Grayson excused herself when Frankie entered the room. Frankie walked over to Hannah's desk. "Sweetheart, how are you feeling?"

"Okay," Hannah said.

"You want to talk about what happened today?" Frankie asked gently.

Hannah shrugged.

"Some people like to put others down to feel better about themselves," Frankie said. "And that boy was wrong to bring that article to your class."

"Why did he have to find out?" Hannah asked.

"Apparently, his father is an attorney and he was working on a case similar to David Wright's," Frankie explained.

Hannah shivered at the mention of her birth father's name.

Frankie squeezed her hand. "He can't hurt you anymore. He is not a part of your life. You are Hannah Barron and you have a mummy and daddy and brother and sister who love you very much."

Hannah managed a small smile.

"Whenever someone tries to make you feel bad about any of that," Frankie said. "You remember that.”

"I'll try," Hannah said.

"Good," Frankie smiled. "How about we go and get your brother and sister from your Grandmother's and then we'll go home?"

"Okay," Hannah agreed. "Is Grandpa Frank and Grandma Alice there?"

"Your Grandpa Frank is," Frankie replied helping Hannah pack up her things.

Hannah brightened. "Can we stay so I can talk to him?"

Frankie smiled. "Of course."

Hannah gave her a tight hug.

"I love you very much," Frankie said. "And I'm so proud that you're my daughter."

"Thanks," Hannah looked up at her. "I'm always happy you chose me."

"And I am so lucky that you chose me," Frankie said smiling down at her. "You changed everything for me."

Hannah smiled more genuinely this time.

Frankie kissed the top of her head. "Let's go."

Hannah put the rest of her homework into her bag and Frankie helped her into her cloak. She took her mother's hand as they said goodbye to Mrs. Grayson and left the school.

The twins were kipping when they arrived at Cho and Neville's. Hannah made a beeline for Frank and he hugged her tightly.

"I'm so glad you're here," Hannah said, her smile brightening her whole face.

"So am I," Frank said looking over at Frankie and winking at her.

"I drew you a picture today," Hannah said, reaching for her bag. "For you and Grandma Alice."

"Let's see that masterpiece," Frank said eagerly.

It was a picture of the two of them holding hands that Hannah had drawn during her art lesson that day.

Frank grinned. "That's brilliant, Hannah!"

"That's very lovely," Frankie agreed.

"Alice is going to love this," Frank said.

"Is she coming home soon?" Hannah asked.

"She should be," Frank replied. "She was visiting with Chiaki and your cousins."

"Han!" Isabelle came into the room. "Hi!"

"Hey, Izzie," Hannah said. "Sleepyhead."

"I don't like kips," Isabelle announced.

Hannah gave her a hug. "Where's Nate?"

"Still sleeping," Isabelle said.

"Your brother is just like your dad," Frankie said. "Loves to sleep."

Isabelle giggled.

Frankie picked her up. "Have you been a good girl?"

"Yes," Isabelle said.

Frankie kissed her cheek. "That's my girl."

"I want to go home," Isabelle whispered. "Play with my toys."

"We should be heading home," Frankie said. She saw Hannah start to protest. "We'll stop by later to see Grandma Alice. I promise."

"Okay," Hannah said reluctantly.

"Could Hannah stay here?" Frank asked. "She'd be doing me a big favour by keeping me company."

Hannah turned pleading eyes on her mother. "Just for a little while?"

Frankie nodded. "Of course. I'll come for you around dinner time if that's alright, Grandpa?"

"That will be great," Frank agreed.

Frankie smiled at him. "Okay then."

"Can you tell me stories about you and Grandma Alice?" Hannah asked as Frankie and Isabelle left the room.

"What would you like to know?" Frank asked.

"Everything," Hannah said.

Frank sat down with her on the sofa. "Well, let's see. You know that your great-grandmother and I were both Aurors?"

Hannah nodded eagerly.

"Well, she and I graduated from training at the same time," Frank explained. "And since she was my girlfriend at the time, I was worried about her and tried to make sure that she was given desk assignments. I didn't want her to get hurt."

"But I bet she didn't like that," Hannah said.

Frank chuckled and shook his head. "No, she didn't. Not one bit. She said I was being a pig-headed chauvinist and that she had more courage and strength than I gave her credit for. Well, I thought she was overreacting until she showed me up one night on one of our raids. She managed to bring in eight Death Eaters all by herself. And I didn't bring in anyone."

Hannah gaped at him. "Grandma did that?"

Alice shook her head from the doorway. "Frank Longbottom. Every single time you tell that story you get it wrong. It was TWELVE Death Eaters."

"Next time it'll be fourteen," Frank joked.

Alice stepped into the room. "Hannah, don't you listen to your great-grandfather."

Hannah hurried over to hug her. "But he does tell good stories."

"He embellishes just a little," Alice said hugging her tightly. "Hi, sweetheart."

"I hoped you'd get here," Hannah said.

Alice smiled down at her. "I'm glad I didn't miss you."

"I get to stay until dinner," Hannah said.

"And look at this," Frank said handing Hannah's drawing to Alice.

"Well that looks like us," Alice said with a grin.

Hannah beamed at her. "Do you like it?"

"I love it," Alice told her.

"What did we do to deserve such a smart, talented great-granddaughter?" Frank asked Alice.

"We just got lucky," Alice smoothed Hannah's hair back.

Hannah leaned against her feeling happy and safe. She loved spending time with them and listening to their stories.

322. Chapter 322 No Worries?

Authors' note: Thanks so much for the response to the last chapter! We really appreciate the feedback! Tonight's chapter finds us checking in with the Hogwarts crew and seeing how Allie is coping with her pregnancy. You also get a little of Nick...Please read and review!

The night before they were due back at school, Ashley had gotten permission from her parents to go on a group outing with her friends. What she didn't tell them that it was more like a group date. She hoped to get some alone time with James as she wouldn't see him again until the summer.

It was without a doubt a welcome distraction since there seemed to be something going on at home. Her mother and father were always whispering about something and would clam up whenever she or Katie came into the room.

She and her sister tried to figure out between themselves but had come up empty handed. Ashley hoped her parents wouldn't send them back to school without telling them what was going on.

"Sickle for your thoughts?" James asked, reaching for her hand.

Ashley jumped. "Sorry." she said. "I'm okay. Just a little preoccupied."

James smiled at her. "That's okay. I like being back here with you." The rest of their friends were walking ahead of them.

"I'm glad you're here," Ashley said as he wove their fingers together. "How come your parents didn't want you home?"

"Well, my dad had a big business meeting," James explained. "And my mum went with him. But, they came over on Easter and we were able to spend the day together which was nice."

"Well that's good," Ashley leaned in as a cool wind blew against them.

James put his arm around her. "Yeah, but this is better."

Ashley shivered, but not from the cold. "Yes it is," she agreed.

"You looking forward to going back to school?" James asked.

"Yes and no," Ashley replied. "I'm really excited for summer hols."

"Your aunt's wedding right?" James asked.

Ashley nodded. "I don't know if we're going to Brighton this year. We usually do."

James nodded. "That could be fun."

"But if we don't go... we can still hang out," Ashley looked over at him.

James grinned. "I'd like that."

"A lot..." Ashley finished with a grin.

Their friends had already reached the theatre. Brittany motioned for them to hurry up and join them in the queue.

"Sorry," Ashley said as they hurried over.

Evan nudged his friend. "You were just hoping we'd pay your way, right, mate?"

"You got me," James retorted playfully.

Ashley caught Zander's eye and smiled at him. She liked Gina a lot and she was glad that Zander seemed to have finally found a nice girl who fancied him.

Zander smiled back. For the first time in a long time, he didn't feel jealous of seeing Ashley with another bloke.

Gina linked her arm in Zander's. "Do you want to share some popcorn?"

"Sure," he agreed. "I hope you like the sweet and salty mix. That's my favourite."

Gina grinned. "Mine, too."

"Good," Zander replied as she moved closer to him.

Zander paid for their tickets.

"I want some of those," Brittany pointed to some liquorice behind the counter. "Evan..."

"What?" Evan asked joining her at the counter.

"Those," Brittany said. "And those..."

Evan laughed. "Brit!"

"Please," Brittany flashed her brightest smile at him.

"Okay," Evan said. reaching for his wallet.

"You are the best boyfriend ever," Brittany said happily. "Ash, what are you getting?"

"I was thinking of popcorn," Ashley commented.

"Good choice," James put an arm around her. "We'll take the large, and two sodas."

A few minutes later, the three couples made their way into the theatre and found some seats toward the back.

"I heard this movie is really spooky," Ashley said to James. "Are you going to hold onto me and cover your face during the scary bits?"

"Me?" James scoffed. "I never get scared. You're the one who will be grabbing onto me."

"Not even close," Ashley said with a grin.

"Big talk, Malfoy," James said grinning back at her.

"I'm not easily scared," Ashley replied, poking his shoulder.

"Well, obviously not since you're going out with me," James teased.

Ashley laughed. "That's how I knew I was brave."

The lights in the theatre dimmed as the previews began to play on the screen. Ashley leaned back in her chair and smiled when she felt James' hand on top of hers.

Gina leaned closer to Zander. "Movies like this always freak me out," she whispered softly.

Zander smiled. "You can squeeze my hand when you get scared."

"Thanks," Gina said, winding her fingers through his. "This has been really fun so far. I'm glad you asked me to go."

"Even if I did have to sneak you out of the house and away from Jack," Zander said. "Your brother is intense."

"He lives and breathes Quidditch," Gina whispered. "He really wants to be scouted for Puddlemere."

"He'll be reunited with Saffy and RJ," Zander whispered back.

"And he's fine with that," Gina responded as the movie began.

The first few minutes of the movie were pretty mundane and then things started to get quite interesting. Ashley knew something bad was about to happen when she heard the eerie music begin to play.

James tightened his hand around hers. "Scared yet?"

Ashley shook her head. "Please...you can tell by the music ...and the fact that the girl is going to investigate the noise she heard...in the middle of the night...by herself."

"You wouldn't do that would you," James teased gently.

Ashley laughed. "No, I'd like to think I was smarter than that."

James leaned in and nudged her ear with his nose. "You definitely are."

Ashley grinned. "Thanks."

She tried to pay attention to the movie, but James obviously had other ideas in mind. She remembered Katie’s words about living it up as she felt James kiss by her ear.

The only other boy Ashley had ever kissed had been Zander. The two of them had not known what they were doing half the time, but this did not seem to be the case with James. He obviously knew exactly what to do.

Her eyes closed as he leaned in further and kissed her gently.

Ashley smiled shyly at him when he pulled away.

"You are one amazing kisser, Ashley," he whispered.

"You think so?" Ashley whispered back.

"I know so," James said, pulling her a bit closer. "I've been waiting since winter hols to see you again."

Ashley rested her head on his shoulder. "Me too."

"The wait has been worth it," he said even more quietly.

Ashley agreed with him, but stayed silent. This was one of the happiest nights of her life and she did not want to ruin it. Being with James was so easy.

"Do you think they're hitting it off?" Brittany whispered to Evan.

Evan looked over his shoulder. "Seems that way."

"Good," Brittany said. "About time those two got over each other."

"You think?" Evan asked.

"Of course," Brittany said. "If there's one thing I know, it's romance."

Evan put his arm around her. "That's not all you know."

Brittany grinned coyly at him.

"Gina and Zander seem to be getting along," Evan whispered.

"That's another good thing," Brittany said. "I had no idea until the train ride home that she fancied him."

"They talk all the time at practise," Evan whispered.

"About what?" Brittany asked. "Maybe they'll go to Hogsmeade together."

"Why don't you just leave them alone and let them do what they want?" Evan asked. "You don't have to control EVERYTHING, do you?"

Brittany seemed startled. "I didn't say I wanted to. I just want my friends to be happy."

Evan gave her shoulder a squeeze. "I was only joking, Brit."

"Oh," Brittany said, looking back at the screen.

"You're not mad, are you?" Evan whispered.

"I guess not," Brittany said. "You just sort of startled me is all."

"Why?" Evan asked.

"Just did," Brittany replied.

Evan rolled his eyes.

"Whatever," Brittany muttered. Suddenly her night had taken a down turn.

"Whatever," Evan grumbled.

A few more seats down, Gina gasped as the killer appeared onscreen behind the main character.

Zander gave her hand a reassuring squeeze.

"I hope she turns around soon," Gina's eyes were glued to the screen.

Zander smiled as the heroine ran ahead of the killer. "In just a minute, what do you bet she trips and falls and he catches up to her?"

Gina giggled.

"And there she goes," Zander whispered as the heroine tripped.

"You called that one," Gina let her head rest on his shoulder.

Zander smiled. "Yeah, I did."

The movie ended a little while later and the three couples met in the lobby. Ashley could tell something was wrong with Brittany. Her friend's arms were folded and she kept glaring at Evan.

"I need to use the loo," she told James. "Brit, why don't you come with me?"

"Sure," Brittany replied, tossing her hair.

"Gina?" Ashley asked. "Would you like to join us?"

Gina shrugged. "Sure."

"We'll be back," Ashley said as Brittany practically dragged her and Gina away.

"So," Ashley said to Brittany when they were in the girls' loo. "What's going on?"

"He was so mean during the movie," Brittany complained. "Told me that didn't have to control everything and I should leave all of you be."

"That doesn't sound like Evan," Ashley said thoughtfully. "Was he joking?"

"He said he was... but it didn't sound like it," Brittany answered.

"Maybe you're just overreacting," Gina suggested. "Sounds to me like he might have been joking."

"You think?" Brittany asked uncertainly.

Gina nodded. "I think so. I mean, I don't know him from anything other than Quidditch, but he seems like a nice enough bloke."

Brittany sighed. "Maybe you're right."

Ashley looked at Gina. "It's hard for Brit to admit anyone's right."

Gina smiled. "Sometimes I'm the same way."

"Me too," Ashley smiled back at her.

Brittany pouted. "Hello? This is about me!"

Ashley laughed. "Sorry Brit. I forget sometimes about the world revolving here."

Despite herself, Brittany smiled. "I know you think I'm blowing this out of proportion, but he's normally not like this with me. He thinks whatever I say is fine but tonight it's like I was getting on his nerves."

Ashley put an arm around her. "I wouldn't think too much of it, just this once. I bet it was just a weird tone or something."

"Maybe," Brittany said.

"Come on," Ashley said. "We'll go back down you'll smile at him, and things will be all good."

"Okay," Brittany agreed. "Let me just touch up my makeup."

"Because you have to look perfect," Ashley teased, disappearing into a stall.

Gina smiled. "You guys are great, you know that?"

"Well of course," Brittany said with a grin. "I am the best."

"And modest too," Gina said, reaching into her purse and pulling out a tube of lip gloss.

"I wouldn't be me without it," Brittany touched up her eye shadow. "So you and Zander..."

Gina grinned. "Yes?"

"You two are really cute together," Brittany commented.

Gina looked over at her. "I think so, too. I mean, he is younger than me..."

"Not that much younger," Brittany waved her hand.

"Just a year," Gina said softly.

"Barely even," Brittany replied.

Ashley came out of her stall and washed her hands. "He's a really great bloke, Gina."

"She would know best," Brittany said.

Gina smiled. "I think he's great, too. I mean, he really stood up and took his punishment with the whole thing with what happened with that Hufflepuff girl."

"I think it's cool that you guys didn't hold it against him," Ashley said. "That was really cruel what she did."

"He's paid his dues," Gina said. "And speaking of Zander, we'd better go before he and the other boys think we've ditched them."

"And just smile at Evan," Ashley said to Brittany again. "You know he's mad about you."

Brittany nodded. "Right. Thanks, Ash."

Ashley squeezed her hand before they headed back to the guys.

"Everything okay?" Zander asked.

"Great," Gina smiled at him.

Ashley took James' hand. "We're ready to go."

"Do I have to take you home already?" James asked.

"Are you hungry?" James asked her.

"Yes," Ashley replied. "So is Brit, right?" She looked over her shoulder at Brittany.

"Yeah pretty hungry," she said moving closer to Evan.

"Me too," Evan said offering her his hand.

Brittany smiled at him. "Are we okay?"

Evan pecked her on the cheek. "We're fine."

Brittany leaned against him. "Sometimes I take things too seriously."

"I was only joking," Evan told her.

"I know," she said softly.

Ashley looked over at Zander. "Crisis averted," she whispered so only he could hear.

Zander grinned at her.

"You always manage to talk her down," Zander said. He looked at Gina. "Ash is Brit's voice of reason."

"I figured that much," Gina said, sliding her hand into his.

Ashley took James' hand in hers and they all set off for the restaurant. Ashley felt so happy at that moment and she just hoped that the summer would be just like this.

*** *** ***

It was nearing the middle of May and most children were looking forward to the end of the school year. But, Caroline Weasley had
bigger and more important things on her mind. With her mother still on bed rest and her father working hard at the pub, she had taken on
some of the responsibilities of looking after her siblings.

Adam and Emma did not make things very easy for her though. Every five seconds it seemed like Emma wanted to go upstairs and talk to their mother and
Adam kept wanting to crawl upstairs to play with her.

"Emma, sit down!" Caroline exclaimed, looking up from her homework. "You can't go upstairs. Daddy's with Mummy now. He told us to stay down here."

"You're not the boss of me," Emma said.

"I'm the oldest," Caroline said. "Daddy told you to work on your homework. You haven't done anything!"

"It's not important," Emma said. "I want to bake something."

Caroline rolled her eyes. "Emma Madeline Weasley, you can't bake something. You are supposed to be doing your homework. It's just simple addition problems. You can do it."

"I don't want to," Emma pouted. "It's too hard."

"I'll help you," Caroline said, sliding her chair over to her sister. She did not notice Adam starting to toddle out of the kitchen. "Okay, this one is really easy. Three plus four..."

Emma counted on her fingers. "Seven?"

Caroline smiled. "Good, Emma!"

Emma bounced in her chair.

"This next one is a little tougher," Caroline said studying the problem.

Emma concentrated for a few minutes. "I don't know."

"Four plus six," Caroline told her. "You know it, Emma---"

"Mummy!" Adam called out from the bottom of the stairs. "Mummy! Mummy!"

Caroline groaned. When had Adam left the room? She ran out of the kitchen and grabbed her little brother. "Adam! You're supposed to stay in the kitchen with
Em and me!"

"Want Mummy!" Adam's lower lip trembled.

"Mummy's taking a kip," Caroline said. "You can see her when she gets up."

"Adam's in trouble," Emma said in a sing-song voice.

"Emma go back and do your homework," Caroline ordered.

"But," Emma protested.

"Just go," Caroline said. "Adam and I will come back in."

Emma stalked back into the kitchen and Caroline sat at the foot of the steps with Adam. "As soon as she's awake, we'll go and see her," Caroline promised.

Adam crossed his little arms. "I don't like Olivia."

"She's not even here yet," Caroline pointed out gently.

"But she makes Mummy sick," Adam said.

"It's not her fault," Caroline said gently. "And once she's here, things will go back to how they were."

"Better," Adam grumbled, pushing himself up and going back into the kitchen.

Caroline followed him, glad that for now, he seemed to be cooperating.

"I finished," Emma pushed her parchment at her sister.

"Really?" Caroline asked in surprise.

"Yes," Emma replied, pushing her chair back.

Caroline picked up the parchment to check her sister's answers when Jon came into the kitchen carrying a tray. "Daddy!" Adam exclaimed.

"Hi buddy," Jon said.

"Is Mummy awake?" Adam asked.

"She's finishing her dinner," Jon told him.

"Can we see her?" Emma asked pleadingly.

"Give her ten minutes," Jon replied. "Did you finish your homework?"

Emma nodded. "Sissy's checking it."

"Emma," Caroline said in dismay. "These are all wrong."

Emma sighed. "No, they're not!"

"Five plus six is not fourteen," Caroline answered. "Come on Em. Let's do these right."

Emma rolled her eyes. "Okay."

"Your sister is trying to help you," Jon told his daughter. "You should thank her for that."

"Thanks," Emma said sitting back down with Caroline.

"It'll only take a minute," Caroline said. "Then you can go see Mummy."

Emma reluctantly agreed and worked over the problems with her sister. Jon picked up Adam and gave him a hug. "You been a good boy?" he asked, tickling his son's side.

Adam laughed. "Yes!"

Jon lifted him onto his shoulders. "Look at how tall you just became, Adam."

"Big as you," Adam said happily.

"That's because you're my boy," Jon said. "How about you and I talk it over with some juice while we wait for your sisters?"

"Okay," Adam agreed. "But I want to see Mummy soon."

"You will, buddy," Jon promised.

"Kay," Adam said. "Apple juice, okay?"

"Of course," Jon said carrying his son over to the icebox. Caroline seemed to be making progress with Emma and the two girls finished Emma's maths assignment.

"Finally," Emma pushed her quill away. "I don't like maths."

"How'd she do, Angel?" Jon asked.

"Better this time," Caroline said. "Em's really smart."

Emma beamed at her. "Thanks."

"All right," Jon said. "You two head on up and see your mother."

Emma grinned. "Okay!"

"Race you," Adam said, tearing out of the kitchen.

Jon laughed. He knew his wife was just as anxious to see the children as they were to see her.

"Mummy!" Adam shouted.

Allison sat up in bed and smiled as Emma, Caroline and finally Adam came into the bedroom. "Hi, you guys!"

"We missed you," Adam launched himself at the bed.

"Easy," Caroline cautioned.

"I know," Adam frowned at her.

"It's okay," Allison said as Adam cuddled up with her. "How's my favourite boy?"

"Good," Adam said.

Allison kissed the top of his head and smiled as Emma launched into a story for her mother.

Jon came into the room with a few biscuits for her.

Allison grinned. "Olivia and I thank you for those!"

"Me too," Emma reached for one but Caroline stopped her.

"For Mummy," Caroline told her.

"Besides, you haven't had dinner yet," Jon reminded his daughter.

Caroline looked at her mother. "How are you feeling today?"

"I'm feeling fine today, Angel." Allison told her daughter.

Caroline sighed in relief. They only had a few more weeks before the baby was due.

"I think Olivia's going to arrive safe and sound," Jon reassured his oldest daughter.

Caroline nodded. "I hope so."

"Sissy helped me with my homework," Emma said. "It's all right."

Alison smiled. "How'd you do?"

"Fine," Emma said. "But I want to bake."

"Bake what, sweetheart?" Allison asked.

"Anything," Emma jumped off the edge of the bed. "A cake!"

"Emma!" Caroline yelled. "Stop it!"

"Caroline," Allison said. "There is no need to yell at your sister."

"I'm just trying to make sure that you're safe!" Caroline protested. "And Em and Adam just won't listen!"

"I know you're trying to help," Allison soothed her. "But yelling doesn't solve any problems."

Caroline looked away.

"Come on Em," Jon said. "And Adam. Let's go get you two ready for dinner."

Adam and Emma reluctantly followed their father out of the room. Allison patted the empty space beside her. "Come sit down, Caroline."

Caroline curled up next to her mother. "They won't ever listen to me," she said tearfully.

Allison put her arm around her daughter. "What's going on, really?"

"I'm just so worried about you and Olivia," Caroline confessed.

"We're fine," Allison said softly. "I've been doing everything your Aunt Lizzy told me to do."

"I know but I still worry." Caroline said quietly. "I always remember when you went to sleep. It really scared me."

"I know, baby," Allison said. "It scared me, too. But, I honestly don't think that's going to happen again. And you are way too young to spend all your time worrying. You should be having fun."

Caroline nodded. "That's what Mia told me."

"Mia's a smart girl," Allison said. She patted her stomach. "Olivia's just fine and I think she's very lucky to have a big sister like you."

Caroline finally smiled. "Thanks Mummy. I love you."

"I love you too," Allison said kissing her daughter's cheek. "And you've been such a great help to your father."

"I hope so," Caroline replied.

"I know so," Allison said with a grin.

"I can't wait for Olivia to be born," Caroline said. "I'm really excited to meet her and help take care of her."

"Me too," Allison said. "Do you think she'll have red hair like Adam, Emma and your Dad? Or brown hair like you and me?"

"I think there are enough redheads in this family," Allison joked.

Caroline smiled. "She's going to be like you and me, I think."

"We'll know pretty soon," Allison said, brushing her hair back.

Caroline was silent for a few moments. "I guess...I guess I've just been trying to keep Adam and Emma away from you because they just don't understand what it was like to have you be like that. I can't imagine what we'd be like without you, Mummy."

Allison hugged her daughter to her. "I don't want to think about that either, Angel. But I don't think you have anything to worry about."

"Okay," Caroline said resting her head on her mother's shoulder.

"How about you take the rest of the night off?" Allison teased gently. "Stay up here with me."

Caroline grinned. "Really? I have loads to tell you."

"Like what?" Allison asked.

Caroline launched into stories about her classmates and things that had been going on with some of her friends.

Allison laughed. "It sounds like that bloke fancies you a bit."

Caroline blushed. "He doesn't..."

"It's okay if he does," Allison told her. "Your father may not like admitting it but you're growing up. And you're a beautiful girl."

Caroline smiled. "Thanks, Mummy."

"You've really been such a big help to me," Allison continued. "I know I said it before, but we really are proud of you."

Again, Caroline blushed. "Well, it's what I'm supposed to do. I'm the oldest."

"You deserve some fun time too," Allison told her daughter.

"I agree," Jon said coming into the room.

"Where are Em and Adam?" Caroline asked.

"Downstairs, eating," Jon said. "I just came up here to see if you were ready to eat, too."

"How about Caroline has her dinner up here with me?" Allison suggested. "She and I were having a nice talk."

"Sure," Jon said smiling at his wife. "I'll bring it up."

"Thanks Daddy," Caroline said gratefully.

"Sure thing," Jon said. "I'd better get back down there before Emma takes all of Adam's food."

Caroline settled back next to her mother. "I love Em and Adam but I kind of needed a break from them."

Allison laughed. "We all need a break every now and then."

Caroline grinned. "But they are funny."

"They are," Allison agreed. "And Adam acts like he doesn't like Emma, but he does. He misses her when she's not here. But, don't tell her. I promised him I wouldn't."

Caroline giggled. "I won't say anything Mummy."

"And they both look up to you," Allison pointed out.

"I hope so," Caroline said. "I want to be a good big sister."

"You already are," Allison said smiling at her.

"Here we are," Jon came in with dinner on a tray. "And some dessert for you, Al."

Allison grinned. "Thanks from Olivia and me."

"I'll leave you to it," Jon smiled at them both before heading back downstairs.

Caroline felt happier than she had in months. She was still going to look out for her mother and help out whenever she could, but she was going to go a little easier on Adam and Emma.

"We'll have to go shopping soon," Allison said. "Start getting all your Hogwarts things together."

Caroline smiled. "I can't believe I'll be going there in September."

"I'll miss you when you're gone," Allison told her.

Caroline nodded. "I'll miss all of you guys, too. I'm a little scared, but thankfully I'll have lots of people there that I know."

"I'm sure you'll see Katie plenty even if you're in different houses," Allison said. "Plus you'll have Mia there."

Caroline was glad for that. Coming from Muggle parents, Mia hadn't been sure if she would receive a letter. The two girls had planned a slumber party to celebrate.

"Maybe we can go shopping with Mia and her mummy once you can go out again," Caroline ventured.

Allison nodded. "I'll ring Mia's mum and ask."

"I can't wait," Caroline said happily. "It will be so much fun!"

"Yes, it will," Allison said, suddenly feeling quite emotional at the idea that her daughter was going to be going away to school.

Meanwhile downstairs Jon was cajoling Adam into finishing his vegetables. "Just a few more beans, buddy."

Adam shook his head. "No beans."

"Yes beans," Jon told him. "Emma finished hers."

Emma smiled sweetly at her father. "So I get dessert."

"Yes you do," Jon nodded.

"And Adam doesn't," Emma said thoughtfully. "So can I have his?"

"NO!" Adam shouted at her.

Jon looked at his son. "Adam, no shouting. Emma's not getting your dessert."

"Okay," Adam sat back down but glared at his sister.

Emma leaned back in her chair. "Daddy, why does Sissy get to eat with Mummy?"

"Because she needs some time alone with your mother," Jon said. "You two always get to sit up there with her while Caroline cleans up down here."

"Oh," Emma said.

"Just some girl time," Jon told her.

Adam reluctantly finished his vegetables.

"There you go," Jon said. "The beans aren't so bad."

Adam grimaced.

"I liked them," Emma said.

Jon held his hand up when he saw Adam was about to say something. "Hold that thought. It's cake time for you, me and Em."

"Yummy!" Adam clapped his hands together. "I want a BIG piece."

"A big piece, eh?" Jon asked. "We'll see what we can do."

"I get a bigger one," Emma said.

"You're both getting the same size piece," Jon said over his shoulder. "You know, you two could try getting along..." His voice trailed off as he remembered his own parents saying the same thing to him and Josh when they were kids. It was official, Jon thought, he had turned into his father.

"Not when Em's mean," Adam grumbled.

"Everyone else thinks I'm great," Emma told him. "Casey, Noah, Aidan, Mas, Sukie..."

"Not me," Adam declared.

"Adam loves you," Jon said to Emma.

"I know he does," Emma grinned mischievously at her brother.

Adam took a bite of his cake.

"Cake is my most favourite food," Emma said, digging into hers.

"Just yesterday you said it was pizza," Jon said grinning at his daughter.

"Well I love that too," Emma decided.

"Me too," Adam admitted.

"See," Jon grinned at them. "You two have something in common."

Emma and Adam looked across the table at each other.

"Just one thing," Emma said. "It doesn't mean he's not a dumb face sometimes."

"Am not!" Adam exclaimed.

"Emma apologise to your brother," Jon ordered. "There's no reason to call him that."

"Sorry," Emma said automatically.

"If you keep that up you'll go straight to bed after dinner." Jon told her.

"Sorry," Emma said more sincerely. "You're not a dumb face, Adam."

"I know," Adam said, finishing his cake. "Mummy told me I'm smart."

Jon helped his son wipe his face. "You are very smart, Adam. You get that from your mum."

"Can I go see her now?" Adam asked.

"Yes," Jon replied.

Adam shoved his chair back and ran upstairs.

Emma jumped out of her chair and climbed into her father's lap. "What is it, baby girl?" Jon asked her.

"Nothing," Emma replied.

"You want to help me finish my cake then?" Jon asked.

"I could do that," Emma grinned up at him.

Jon handed her his fork.

"I could eat cake all night long," Emma said.

"Me too, baby girl," Jon said kissing the top of her head.

"I love you," Emma paused and looked up at him. "You're the best daddy ever."

"I love you too," Jon said smiling down at her. "You are the best Emma ever."

Emma laughed. "Can we go see Mummy now?" she asked. "And finish this up there?"

"Absolutely," Jon said.

Jon carried the plate upstairs as Emma hurried up ahead of him. "Mummy!"

Allison smiled when Emma came into the room. "Hi, sweetheart. I was wondering where you were!"

"Daddy let me finish his cake," Emma said. "But I saved the rest for Adam."

Adam looked up in surprise.

"Here," Emma held out the plate.

Adam looked over at Caroline uncertainly.

"It's okay Adam," Caroline urged him. "Em's just trying to be nice."

Adam took the plate. "Thank you."

"Welcome," Emma replied, climbing next to her mother.

"That was very sweet of you," Allison said kissing Emma's cheek.

Emma smiled and patted her mother's stomach. "How's Olivia?"

"She's fine," Allison said. "All nice and cosy in there."

"I want her to come out," Emma said.

"She'll be here before you know it," Allison told her.

"I get to hold her," Emma said.

"Yes you will," Allison said.

"First," Emma said.

"Well, your daddy and I will get to hold her first," Allison pointed out.

"Oh," Emma pouted.

"You can hold her first before Adam and me," Caroline told her.

"I can?" Emma brightened.

"I got to hold you first," Caroline pointed out. "So it's only fair."

"Caroline also named you," Allison recalled.

"Baby Girl Weasley," Caroline said sharing a look with her father

Jon laughed. "You were dead set against us leaving her without a name."

Caroline smiled at her sister. "You couldn't be anyone but an Emma."

"I know," Emma said, jumping off the bed.

The four of them watched as Emma twirled around in front of the bed. Caroline looked over at her mother who was smiling adoringly at Emma. This really was the best night, Caroline thought to herself. Perhaps she really did have nothing to worry about.

*** *** ***

Nick had just finished up a session with the guys in his band when he received an owl. Thinking it was from Julie he tore it open and was astonished to discover that the healer his father was seeing was asking him to come in immediately to St. Mungos.

He had not heard from his father since his impromptu visit a few weeks ago.

He had almost written the situation off as another one of his father's schemes, but this changed things. Suddenly the whole thing became real.

There had been many times in his childhood when he had needed his father and his father had let him down. A selfish part of Nick thought briefly of not going and leaving his father to fend for himself.

But he wasn't like that, Nick reasoned. He would go, and if it WAS a scheme, it would be the last one he'd ever fall for.

He left a quick note for Julie just in case he was not back before she made it home.

He headed over to St. Mungos hoping he wasn't walking into some sort of trap.

The nurse led him to his father's private room and Nick stood there for a moment, shocked to see his father like this.

"Nicholas," Draco said. "You made it."

Nick stepped further into the room. "What's going on?"

"My treatment," Draco said. "It's... only prolonging the inevitable."

"You tell Mum yet?" Nick asked.

"No," Draco said. "And you won't tell her, either."

Draco's healer shook Nick's hand. "Greg Fitzpatrick. Your father had you listed as his contact person."

"I see," Nick replied.

Healer Fitzpatrick detailed Draco's treatment for Nick. "The tumour keeps growing back every time we try and shrink it. Today's treatment really took it out of your father."

Nick looked back and forth between the two men. "So there's really nothing you can do?"

"We're doing everything we can, Mr. Malfoy," the healer told him. "Right now, we're just trying to keep your father out of pain. We're going to keep him overnight."

323. Chapter 323 Closure

Authors' note: Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays to all our readers. We hope you enjoy this chapter! Please read and review!

Healer Fitzpatrick detailed Draco's treatment for Nick. "The tumour keeps growing back every time we try and shrink it. Today's treatment really took it out of your father."

Nick looked back and forth between the two men. "So there's really nothing you can do?"

"We're doing everything we can, Mr. Malfoy," the healer told him. "Right now, we're just trying to keep your father out of pain. We're going to keep him overnight."

"Oh," Nick nodded. "I understand, of course."

"I'll be back in a little while to check on you," Healer Fitzpatrick said to Draco.

"Fine," Draco grunted, pulling himself out of his chair.

Nick helped his father, unsure of what to say.

"Thank you," Draco muttered as he settled back on the bed.

"Where is Mum?" Nick asked, sitting down.

"Home in Sydney," Draco coughed. "Probably pissed already."

Nick stared at his father. "You know...I find it hard to believe she hasn't noticed something's wrong with you. I mean, she's not the brightest person in the world, mind you, but anyone can see there's something wrong with you..."

"I've hidden it well," Draco said. "And your mother isn't the brightest star in the universe."

Nick nodded. "So why me? Why did you tell me?"

"I wanted to try and make things a bit better before I go," Draco coughed. "And I need some help putting my affairs in order."

Nick poured his father a glass of water. "Here."

Draco took it and gulped it down.

Nick refreshed his father's glass. "I gave Katie back the ring."

"Thank you," Draco said. "It belongs to her now. I hope she will take care of it."

Nick chuckled. "Katie...Katie guards her things quite well."

"As she should," Draco said seriously. "She's a Malfoy, and she'll carry on the family traits. We're not all bad, Nicholas."

"Funny how I never saw the good side when I was her age," Nick said sarcastically.

Draco coughed again. "Things change."

Nick wished he could shake the bitter feeling he felt toward his father. It seemed that his father only needed him when he wanted something. Nick still wasn't sure what it was his father wanted from him.

"As you know," Draco began a few minutes later. "During my lifetime, I've amassed quite a bit of money."

Nick nodded.

"I want your mother taken care of," Draco said. "For the rest of her life."

Nick did not say anything in response to that.

"I also want Katie to have a percentage set aside for her," Draco told him.

"You know, I'm sure you have an estate attorney that could take care of this for you," Nick said. "I don't know anything about this..."

"I have someone taking care of things," Draco interrupted. "But I want you to oversee it."

"Why?" Nick asked. "For Merlin's sake, Father. You never missed a chance to tell me that I was never going to amount to anything. You're going to trust me to do all this? I don't get you."

"I need you to make sure it's done right," Draco glared at him.

Nick turned away, needing a moment to put his head around all this.

"I wouldn't have come back if this situation weren't dire," Draco told him.

"This is just a little difficult to come to terms with," Nick admitted.

"I can understand that," Draco responded. "I know it may be a lot. But you're the only one who can make sure this is done the way I want it to be done."

Nick finally turned around. "Imagine how you'd feel if good old Lucius asked this of you."

"I'd have turned him out in the streets," Draco admitted. "Probably in front of the Ministry."

Nick sat back down. "You were never as cruel as he was."

"I don't think anyone was," Draco said dryly.

Nick leaned back in his chair. "He scared me to death when I was a kid."

"He shouldn't have been around," Draco replied.

"I agree," Nick said.

Draco began coughing again, violently.

"Dad!" Nick exclaimed.

"Water," Draco managed.

Nick reached for the glass. His hands were shaking as he filled it and handed it to his father.

Draco's coughing subsided and he drank the water. "Nicholas... my prognosis isn't good. I don't know how much time I have left."

"Maybe---maybe there's still time," Nick said.

"I hope so," Draco laid back, his face pale.

"Can I do anything?" Nick asked.

"Just help me set everything right before I go," Draco told him.

Nick looked at his father. "Okay."

"Thank you," Draco's voice was a bit raspy.

"Do you want me to get a nurse?" Nick asked.

"No," Draco responded. "I'll be all right."

Nick did not look convinced. It was surreal to see his father like this---vulnerable.

Draco reached for a thick folder that Nick hadn't noticed before. "This details my estate. The amounts I'm leaving your mother and Katherine are in here."

Nick took the folder and scanned through it. "You're leaving your entire art collection to Ashley?"

"No one else would want it," Draco coughed again.

"You look like you've thought all this out," Nick said.

"I've had some time to figure things out," Draco said.

"You've been dealing with this on your own," Nick said quietly.

"I can't rely on your mother," Draco said. "If I had told her, she'd have already left me."

Nick stared at his father in disbelief. He knew his mother was shallow and very self-centred, but he found it hard to fathom her leaving his father. "You're not going to tell her?"

"I'll have to tell her soon," Draco said.

Nick nodded and looked back down at the file in his lap. This was so bizarre talking to his father about things like this. Never in a million years would he have imagined the two of them doing this---like a real father and son.

"I would like to spend some time with Katherine before... before I go." Draco said.

"I haven't told them about any of this," Nick said.

"They should know," Draco told him. "Now, they should know."

Nick nodded. "Okay."

Draco coughed again. "Look over those," he motioned to the folder.

"How much time are they saying you have?" Nick asked.

"A month, two at most," Draco revealed.

"Dad," Nick said taken aback.

"There's one more thing I'd like to ask of you," Draco told him.

"What?" Nick asked.

"Your half sister," Draco said. "If she'll see me... bring her in with you."

Nick shook his head. "I don't know---"

"Just ask her," Draco interrupted.

Nick was not so sure Chiaki would be up for this, but he nodded. "Okay."

"Good," Draco lay back and closed his eyes.

"Get some rest," Nick said quietly.

"Come back soon," Draco cracked his eyes open.

"I will," Nick promised.

He watched his father for a moment and shook his head at how things had changed in such a short amount of time.

His father had never really been a part of his life and now here he was asking him to help him straighten things out.

Nick sighed as he clutched the folder with his father's papers in his hand. He had a lot to figure out.

He had to break this news to his daughters and to his half-sister.

He would save Chiaki for another day. For some reason, he knew Katie would take this news the hardest.

It made sense, Nick thought, that she would have been the one that Draco sought out. She was the closest in temperament and personality to a Malfoy. But, she was loyal and had a good heart.

He didn't relish the thought of telling her about this- but he did know his daughter, and the fact that she had quite an inheritance would soften the blow.

He did not know how Ashley would react to this, given that she did not really know her other grandfather.

Nick decided to talk to his wife and then they would break the news to the girls together.

She would still be at Hogwarts, as she was most days, until right before dinner. Classes were over for the day, but she still oversaw Gryffindor house.

*** *** ***

Given the busy schedule with the wedding and her Quidditch games, Saffron had not had much time to just relax and have fun. She also had not seen
much of her father. They had talked about doing something but had never managed to find time until today. The weather was cooperating and they were now playing
the back nine holes of her grandfather's old golf club.

"I'm still as terrible at this as I ever was," Harry lamented as he watched his golf ball sink into the pond.

"I'm proud of you for not just using that wandless magic of yours," Saffron said patting him on the back.

"Thanks baby," Harry said wryly.

"I can't believe how easy it was for me to just get back into the swing of this," Saffron said twirling her golf club like a baton. "I mean, it's been ages since I played.'

"Watch out," Harry winced as the end of the club nearly met his eye.

"Sorry," Saffron said grinning at him. "Wouldn't want to hurt that perfect face."

"That's right," Harry squeezed her side. "You're up, sweetheart."

Saffron set her ball on the tee. "Stand back and watch the greatness..."

Harry watched his daughter take a swing and the ball spun in a perfect arch over the pond.

The ball landed on the green, very close to the hole. She grinned at her father. "Nice eh?"

"Yes," Harry admitted. "You like showing me up don't you."

"You can't be great at EVERYTHING," Saffron said hopping into the golf cart "Come on, old man."

Harry sat next to his daughter as she drove them over to the next green.

"Only one more hole after this," Saffron said. "And you're out of your misery."

"I don't mind," Harry said. "I'd play another nine just to spend some time with you."

Saffron smiled. "Dad..."

"I just can't believe you're getting married in just a few months," Harry said. "You've grown up too fast."

Saffron knew all too well what he meant. She was looking at Ellie this morning and was thinking how big her daughter was getting. A part of her wished Ellie could stay a baby forever.

"I'm so proud of you," Harry continued. "You've managed to bounce back from what happened with Devereaux, you have a job you love, you're a wonderful mother to Ellie, and you have Andrew."

Saffron parked the cart and looked at her father. "I didn't know if I'd ever get here."

"You're very strong," Harry told her. "I knew you would."

"I had a good support system," Saffron said leaning over and giving him a hug.

Harry kissed the top of her head. "We'd do anything for you, baby."

"Well, I just hope Andrew and I are as happy as you and Mum," Saffron said as they got out of the cart.

"I think you will be," Harry predicted.

Saffron easily sank her putt and gave her father a high five.

"That's good baby," Harry gave her another hug.

Saffron grinned and they made their way over to the next hole. Saffron effortlessly won the round and the two of them set off for the clubhouse to grab a bite to eat.

Saffron recognised one of her grandfather's old friends behind the bar and hurried over to give him a hug.

"Well, this can't be little Saffy Potter," Joe Hobson said, chuckling. "Last time I saw you, you were six."

Saffron laughed. "It hasn't been THAT long!"

Harry shook the older man's hand. "She's a mum now."

"You are?" Joe asked. "My, my... the time passes by too fast."

Saffron caught sight of a frame photograph behind the bar of she and her grandfather. Joe followed her gaze. "You were six there and the apple of your grandfather's eye."

"Wow," Saffron said softly. "I never knew this was here..."

"He loved bringing you here," Joe recalled.

Saffron smiled. "It was always one of my favourite places to go. He and I had such fun here."

Joe patted her on the back. "I imagine you'd rather have something to eat other than peanut butter and jelly this time?"

Saffron laughed. "My tastes have definitely changed."

Harry looked at him. "How about two club sandwiches and chips?" Joe nodded. "Coming right up. Have a seat."

"I am hungry," Saffron admitted.

"Well, you work up quite an appetite when you're killing your father at golf," Harry joked.

Saffron laughed. "Or cracking up when you sink one into the pond."

Harry shook his head. "This is definitely not my game."

"That's all right," Saffron leaned against him.

"Like you said can't be good at everything," Harry said, putting his arm around her.

Saffron smiled. "I wonder what Andrew's up to... he was taking Ellie for a walk, I think... but I don't know what he was doing after that."

Harry knew what Andrew was up to.

"One, two three," Hermione was directing her future son in law. "One, two, three..."

Andrew nodded and resisted the urge to look at his feet to make sure he was doing this right.

"Good," Hermione complimented him. "You've really got this, Andrew."

Andrew grinned. "Thanks."

"Saffron will be so happy," Hermione said.

"I hope so," Andrew said. "I just can't believe I've managed to keep this from her for so long."

"It's not easy keeping a secret from Saffron," Hermione agreed.

"Not at all," Andrew said. "She's like a human lie detector."

Hermione laughed. "She gets that from me."

"That's why I was a little more scared to meet you than I was to meet Mr. Potter," Andrew said.

"Am I that terrifying?" Hermione was amused.

"Just a little," Andrew joked.

"You've been good to my daughter," Hermione said. "That's all I can ask for."

"She and Ellie are everything to me," Andrew said. "You know that."

"I do," Hermione nodded.

From her crib, Ellie let out a cry. Andrew laughed. "And that's my cue..."

"Maybe she's hungry," Hermione said as Andrew hurried over to the baby. "I'll get her bottle."

Andrew gently lifted Ellie into his arms. "Shhhhhhh," he said softly.

Ellie quieted immediately as Andrew kissed her forehead. "That's my girl," he soothed her.

Ellie smacked her lips and looked at her father.

"Here you are," Hermione handed him the bottle.

"Thanks," Andrew said, sitting down with the baby. He guided the bottle to Ellie's mouth. "There she is..."

"Pretty soon she'll be holding that herself," Hermione commented.

"Don't I know it," Andrew said. "And taking her first steps..."

"It happens before you know it," Hermione gazed down at her granddaughter.

Andrew looked over at his mother-in-law. "I wanted to thank you for taking all this time with me. I know you're quite busy..."

"I don't mind," Hermione told him. "It's my pleasure."

Andrew smiled. "Thanks."

"I'm really looking forward to the wedding," Hermione said. "It's going to be a lot of fun. I've been talking to your mother quite a bit lately."

Andrew laughed. "She has wedding fever."

Hermione grinned. "She is quite excited."

"I'm her only child," Andrew said, imitating his mother's voice perfectly. "And she wants everything to be perfect."

Hermione laughed. "I was the same way with Ethan."

"I suppose I'll be the same with Ellie," Andrew mused.

"Probably," Hermione said watching as Ellie hungrily finished her bottle.

"You want to burp her?" Andrew asked looking at Hermione. "I think she has a good one in her today."

"I'd love to," Hermione eagerly took Ellie into her arms.

Andrew draped a towel over Hermione's shoulder.

"There we go," Hermione began patting Ellie's back.

Ellie let out a burp that caused Andrew and Hermione to laugh. "Told you," Andrew said.

"We know that's not from Saffron," Hermione joked.

"That's from the Kirkes," Andrew said proudly.

"Men always love claiming that," Hermione said.

Andrew laughed. "Harry, too?"

"With all three of ours," Hermione answered wryly.

Andrew helped Hermione put the music away and they headed upstairs to have some tea.

“I told Saffy to meet me here when she was done with her golf game,” Andrew said. “So at least we don’t have to worry about her walking in.”

"I'll make enough for her and Harry," Hermione said. "They should be back soon."

"Good," Andrew said, gazing down at his daughter.

"He was so looking forward to this," Hermione confided. "He's having a hard time with the idea that his baby girl is getting married."

Andrew nodded thoughtfully. "I imagine it's not easy."

"It helps that he likes you so much," Hermione said as she put the kettle on.

"I'm glad for that," Andrew said honestly. "But we both know that Saffron and Ellie are my first priorities. I'd do anything for either of them."

"Absolutely," Hermione agreed. She heard noises from the sitting room and grinned at Andrew. "Speaking of Saffy..."

The brunette appeared a few moments later with Harry in tow. "Hi," Saffron grinned at them.

Hermione gave her daughter a hug. "Hi, love. How was the game?"

"I beat Dad, easily," Saffron laughed.

Harry grimaced. "She did. It wasn't pretty."

Hermione kissed her husband. "I'll help you feel manly again."

Saffron shook her head and help up her hand. "Stop...not in front of the children."

"Don't worry," Hermione joked.

Saffron gave Andrew a kiss and peered at Ellie, who was sleeping in her carrier. "How's she doing?"

"She just had a bottle," Andrew told her. "And a nice big burp after."

Saffron knelt down and caressed her daughter's soft cheek. She hated that Ellie would never have the chance to know Robert and Elinore Granger.

"You all right?" Andrew asked her.

Saffron nodded. "Yes, of course. I've just been thinking a lot about Gran and Grandpa today."

"Understandable," Andrew nodded.

"They would have adored her," Hermione said looking at Ellie.

Saffron continued to run her finger gently over Ellie's cheek. "She's such a good girl."

Andrew grinned. "She got that from me."

"Probably," Saffron admitted with a smile.

Ellie's eyes blinked open and she gave her mother a gummy smile.

Saffron laughed. "Hi, sweetheart."

Ellie held up her arms.

She gathered the baby in her arms. "I'll always hold you," she whispered in Ellie's ear.

Hermione squeezed Harry's hand. "I'm glad you two had a good time today."

"Hopefully she'll still make time for me after she's old and married," Harry teased.

"I'm sure she will," Hermione said leaning against him. "Julie does."

"Long as I let her beat me in golf," Harry said.

"Let her?" Hermione asked raising an eyebrow.

"Well not let her," Harry said. "But you know..."

"I know," Hermione said grinning at him.

Harry gave her a kiss. "How went the lesson?" he whispered.

"He's really good," Hermione whispered back.

Harry grinned. He couldn't wait to see his daughter's face when Andrew took her out on the dance floor.

*** *** ***

Hans had been on his shoot for a few days, and when he left, Darla had sent the divorce papers to him. She knew it wasn't the right way to handle things, but she didn't know if she could stay strong if she handed them over in person.

She had no idea when he had received them or how he would react to getting them. She kept waiting for a phone call or an owl.

She was in the kitchen preparing breakfast for Rafe when she heard the fireplace roar to life.

"Darla!" Hans bellowed.

"Oh no," she closed her eyes.

Hans stormed into the kitchen, clutching the papers in his hands. "What the hell is this?" he asked her.

"Divorce papers," she said quietly.

"I know what they are," Hans retorted. "I mean, why were you sending these to me? We're back together..."

"We were never back together," Darla said. "You were here for awhile and now... now it's like it was before."

"That's not true," Hans argued.

"Yes it is," Darla said. "You don't even talk about these things with me before you go."

Hans shook his head. "I told you about these shoots. For Merlin's sake, Darla, you have never understood this and you never will."

"Exactly," Darla said. "This is too different. We can't make it work any more."

Hans reached for her hand. "Come on, Dar. Give me another chance. We were making this work. We really were."

"As long as I kept quiet and let you come and go, we were making this work," Darla pulled away from him.

"Darla, you can't do this," Hans argued. "Come on. We have a son."

"Who needs two parents around, not one." Darla said quietly.

Hans ran his hand through his hair. His phone trilled in his pocket, but he ignored it, for once.

Darla just looked at him wordlessly.

"I'm not signing these," Hans said firmly.

"Why?" Darla asked. "It's time we moved on, Hans. This marriage is over."

He met her gaze. "You're not even going to give this one more try?"

"I have," Darla said.

Hans shook his head. "You're unbelievable."

"I can't believe you're pinning this on me," Darla snapped. "You started everything by going along with that agent who wanted you to pretend you were single- and then sending nude pictures of yourself to that slag model!"

Hans let out a bitter laugh. "There we go! I knew it! I knew that's what this was all about! You're still angry over Katya!"

Darla rolled her eyes.

"And what about you and the good healer?" Hans shot back.

"There's nothing going on between Liam and me," Darla snapped. "I haven't talked to him in almost a month!"

The baby monitor crackled to life with the sound of Rafe's cries.

"I have to go get him," Darla pushed past Hans.

"I want to see my son," Hans said, following her.

"Fine," Darla didn't have the energy to fight with him.

Darla hurried into the nursery and picked Rafe up out of his crib. "Shhh! It's okay, sweetheart. Mummy's here."

"So am I," Hans said. "Let me hold him."

"He's a little fussy first thing in the morning," Darla said. "He might not---"

"I know how to handle my son," Hans said coldly.

"Fine," Darla said, handing Rafe over to him.

"Hey," Hans said. "Don't cry..."

Rafe held a hand out for Darla. "Ma--"

"It's okay, baby." Darla told him.

Hans patted his son on the back. "I'm your dad, Rafe. I will always be your dad."

"He knows that, Hans." Darla said.

"I just want to make sure YOU know it," Hans said pointedly. "If I sign those papers---"

"I would never keep Rafe from you!" Darla said furiously. "How DARE you!"

Hans did not answer her. He carried Rafe over to the rocking chair.

"I'm not getting rid of the papers," Darla said. "But you should know I'd never keep him from you."

Hans nodded. "Thank you."

"You should have known better than to assume something like that." Darla said quietly.

"I just---you took me by surprise," Hans told her.

"Sorry," Darla looked away.

"Look, I'll sign the papers," Hans said quietly. "But I just want some time with him. If that would be okay..."

"Sure," Darla agreed. "I'll um... go to the shops."

"Thank you," Hans said kissing the top of Rafe's head.

Darla got her things and left, a sinking feeling in her stomach. She had what she wanted- Hans signing the papers. But for some reason she was left with a feeling of discontent.

She was also angry at him for thinking that she would ever deny him Rafe.

Darla mulled things over in her mind as she got a few things that she needed at the shops.

She decided to grab a cup of coffee and a muffin at the bakery and joined the queue.

She had just paid and was turning to sit at a table when she found herself face to face with someone familiar. "Liam!"

"Darla," he said, looking just as surprised as he was to see her.

"Um, what are you doing here?" she asked, turning a bit red.

"Grabbing a bite to eat before heading to the office," Liam replied.

"Oh," Darla nodded. "Of course. I'm sorry- I don't want to keep you--"

Liam nodded. "Yes, well, I'll see you..."

Darla sighed as she turned away towards one of the tables.

Liam was at the door when he saw her sit down. She looked as if she needed a friend and he felt a surge of guilt that he had not been a very good one to her these last few weeks. He walked across the room and approached her table. "Would you like some company?" he asked.

Darla looked up at him in shock. "You want to sit? Here?"

Liam nodded. "If you don't mind sitting with a selfish, arrogant arse?"

Despite herself, Darla smiled at him.

"So that's a yes?" Liam asked hopefully.

"Of course," Darla said softly.

Liam sat down. "So what brings you out this early? "

Darla shrugged. "Just wanted to get out of the house."

Liam did not know what to say to her. He decided the best approach would be to apologise for the way he had treated her. "I'm sorry, you know," Liam told her. "Things were messed up and I took it all out on you when all you were trying to do was be my friend."

"I was really hurt, you know." Darla said honestly. "I would have helped you any way you wanted me to."

"I know," Liam said. "I guess I've just gotten used to handling things on my own. I'm sorry that I hurt you, Darla. It was the last thing I ever wanted to do."

"I guess it's been a rough year for both of us," Darla said.

Liam nodded. "I wouldn't have made it through half of it had it not been for you, you know."

Darla cracked a slight smile. "I signed the divorce papers." she said suddenly.

Liam nearly choked on his coffee. "What?"

"I signed the papers," Darla said. "And Hans just agreed to sign them about an hour ago."

"I-I don't know what to say," Liam admitted. "I thought you guys were trying to work things out..."

"It wasn't working," Darla said. "He's still gone all the time, you know? Sometimes a week at a time."

Liam nodded. "So, you finally decided."

"Yeah..." Darla sighed. "But I still feel like something is just so wrong. I feel like things have just fallen apart. I thought I would be relieved but I'm not."

"Why's that?" Liam asked gently.

"I don't know," Darla said.

"Well, you and Hans were together for a long time," Liam said thoughtfully.

"Yes," Darla said. "I suppose perhaps I'm feeling this way because I have a hard time finding someone to talk to about everything. Drew hates Hans- and the rest of my family isn't too fond of him either."

"You can talk to me, you know," Liam told her. "I know I'm not his biggest fan either, but I'm on your side. I know I haven't really shown it lately...."

"It's been awhile since we talked," Darla said carefully.

"I'm sorry for that," Liam said. "I know you have every right to tell me to go away. I was messed up with what happened with my parents and here you were---this girl from a perfect family..."

"My family isn't perfect," Darla said dryly. "We're close knit, but not perfect."

Liam nodded. "Compared to mine, yours is perfect. I just didn't see how you would understand where I was coming from. "

"You'd be surprised," Darla commented.

"You were just trying to be there for me," Liam said. "I know that now. I've been wanting to ring you for days, but I didn't know if you'd talk to me."

Darla shrugged. "A week or so ago I'm not sure I would have. But... I don't know. It's not worth it to be angry."

Liam smiled. "No, it's not. So, how's the little guy?"

"He's fine," Darla replied. "He misses you."

"I miss him too," Liam said. "And I've missed you."

"Same here," Darla said, looking up.

Liam smiled at her.

"Hans asked for a little time alone with him," Darla said. "I couldn't say no."

Liam nodded. "And it gave you a few minutes to clear your head."

"I needed that," she admitted.

"You're a strong woman, Darla," Liam said. "You'll get through this."

"Thanks," she said softly.

They each took a sip of their coffee and Darla studied him. He seemed a bit different. "So, um, how are things with your parents?"

Liam shook his head. "Same as always.

"No change then?" Darla asked.

"My father is still a drunk, and my mother continues to defend him," Liam answered. "It'll never change."

Darla reached across the table for his hand. "But, you are not your parents, Liam. You're nothing like your father. You're strong."

"Thanks," Liam said. "I still need to hear that."

"Well, I would have told you that all along if you'd have just listened to me," Darla said grinning at him.

"I should learn to just listen to women, shouldn't I?" Liam joked. "Liz tells me that all the time."

"Well, Lizzy is one of the smartest people I know," Darla said.

"Same here," Liam smiled.

Darla was relieved to see his smile again. She had missed seeing it.

"I should go," Liam said after checking his watch. "I'm a little late... but this was worth it."

"Me too," Darla said. "I'm glad you stayed."

"I'll ring you soon," Liam said. "We can go with Rafe to the park and catch up. I can start making up for being such a jerk to you."

"Deal," Darla said smiling at him.

Liam stood up and Darla reached over to hug him tightly.

Liam hugged her back. "I'm sorry," he said softly.

"We still have things to talk about," she said. "But I'm glad to have my friend back."

"Me too," Liam agreed. "I'll---I'll see you soon."

Darla smiled and grabbed her coffee cup as he headed out the door.

She wanted to go back home and check on Rafe and perhaps find some sort of closure with Hans.

She finished her errands and headed back to the house. Hans was in the kitchen with Rafe.

"Hi," Darla said quietly.

"Hi," Hans muttered. "Your papers are over there."

"Thank you," Darla said. "You know...this wasn't an easy decision for me."

"Right," Hans said.

"It wasn't," Darla said. "I will always love you and I thought we would be together forever. But, somewhere along the way, we grew apart. It's not all your fault. I played a part in it, too."

Hans finally turned to look at her properly. "I really wanted to make things work, you know."

Darla nodded. "I know."

"I suppose I can't help but feel that you've given up on us," Hans said.

"I felt the same way about you," Darla said honestly. "It seemed like your career was more important."

Hans nodded after a moment. "I suppose things did get out of hand."

"We lost each other along the way," Darla said. "And I was just as guilty for not trying to compromise."

Hans sat down at the table. "Where exactly do we go from here?"

"Well, we can set up a custody agreement for Rafe," Darla said taking a seat beside him.

Hans nodded. "I do plan to settle here in London when I'm not on a shoot."

"That will be good for Rafe," Darla said smiling at her son who was content in Hans' lap.

"Do you think we can still be friends here?" Hans asked her. "I'll always care about you, Dar."

"I want us to be friends," Darla said honestly.

"For Rafe's sake, I think it's good that we do." Hans agreed.

Darla nodded in agreement. "I would never keep him from you. You're his father."

"Da," Rafe looked up at his father.

Hans smiled down at him. "That's right, Rafe."

"Hi," Rafe said to him.

"Hi," Hans said mussing his son's hair.

"Hungry," Rafe replied.

Darla smiled. "I'll get his cereal."

"YUMMY!" Rafe shouted.

"There's his Weasley side," Hans said affectionately.

"We're always hungry," Darla said.

Hans bounced his son on his knee while they waited for Darla to come back with the cereal.

"Here you go," Darla placed a bowl of dry cereal on the table.

"Tank," Rafe said eagerly reaching for a piece.

Hans and Darla both smiled at their son. "We'll work this out for his sake," Darla said. "You should always be a part of his life."

"I will be," Hans promised.

"Here," Rafe handed his father a piece of cereal.

"Thanks, mate," Hans said taking it.

"Num," Rafe grinned.

"Very yum," Hans said. He looked up and caught Darla's eye.

"He looks so much like you," Darla said wistfully.

Hans smiled. "He's cuter."

“Well it’s like I always say,” Darla replied. “He has your charm too.”

"I hate the time that I missed with him," Hans said. "Time I'll never get back."

"But you have time now," Darla said. "Time that he will remember with you."

Hans nodded. "Thanks, Darla."

"I'm glad we can do this civilly," Darla said.

Rafe continued to eat his cereal and he smiled impishly at his mother. She knew that this was the hardest decision she had ever made, but a part of her knew that it was the right decision for all of them. They couldn't have continued like they were.

324. Chapter 324 Choices

Authors' note: Happy New Year! We are also wishing a belated birthday to Miss Emma Weasley. Her birthday as many of you remember is on New Year's Eve. But, tonight's chapter finds us in the merry month of May.

May had finally arrived and Alexa was packing up her belongings. She had finished her final exams and all that was left now was the move. The dorm room had never really felt like home to her. While Carmen was nice enough, she had not been a friend and Alexa doubted she would keep in contact with her.

In fact, Alexa wished Carmen would leave so she could finish packing the magical way. With Carmen on the other side of the room, Alexa was having to pack things the slow, Muggle way.

"I can't believe you're going back to London," Carmen was saying. "I mean, there are hot guys with hot accents but it rains everyday there, doesn't it?"

"I grew up there," Alexa said. "I'm sort of used to it."

"I would die," Carmen said shaking her head.

"It's not so bad," Alexa replied. "We have our nice days too."

Carmen just shook her head. "Do you need some help packing?"

"No thanks," Alexa replied. "I'll get it all eventually."

Carmen picked up a magazine. "I'm going down to the café to grab a latte. I'll see you before you leave!"

"Okay," Alexa said in relief.

Carmen breezed out of the room and Alexa rolled her eyes.

"Thank Merlin," she said, grabbing her wand and waving it at her things.

Her books and clothes flew into the boxes and suitcases.

"So much easier," Alexa said with satisfaction. Another wave of her wand sealed the boxes shut.

There was a gentle knock on the door and Alexa hoped Carmen hadn't forgotten her keys.

"One minute!" Alexa stopped the moving items and they dropped on the floor and the bed.

Alexa opened the door and was surprised to see...Gabe.

"Hi," Alexa stared at him. "What... what are you doing here?"

"I know it's your last day," Gabriel said. "I wanted to see if you needed any help."

"Oh," Alexa replied. "I um... I think I've got it. Once Carmen left, I was able to just use magic."

"Oh," Gabriel said. "Well, can I come in for a minute?"

"Of course," Alexa stood back.

She had not seen him in a few weeks, but had exchanged emails with him. "Are you finished with your finals?" she asked.

"Yes," Alexa nodded. "They weren't too bad."

"I have a couple more," Gabriel replied.

Alexa nodded. "The gory stuff?"

Gabriel laughed. "Maybe."

Alexa smiled. "Mine are tame compared to that."

Gabriel watched as Alexa picked up her wand and muttered a spell, causing her remaining books and clothes to fly into her suitcase. "Lexie, are you sure about this?"

"About what?" Alexa asked. "Going home?"

Gabriel nodded. "Yeah."

"Of course I'm sure," she said.

Gabriel leaned against the wall. "I just wonder if you didn't give this a real chance."

Alexa stopped and stared at him. "I beg your pardon?"

He held up a hand. "You were going home every weekend..."

"Not at first," she argued.

"And when I wasn't around as much, it seemed like you fell back on what felt safe," Gabriel said thoughtfully.

"I don't see what's so wrong with that," Alexa replied.

"Nothing," Gabriel said. "I just wonder if maybe you're not giving this a chance. Maybe another semester..."

"I don't want to," Alexa told him. "It's not just you, Gabe. I missed home."

Gabriel looked at her. "I wish you would have told me. I'd have tried harder to make time for you."

Alexa closed her eyes for a moment. "Gabe--"

He smiled wistfully. "I still love you, Lexie."

"I still love you too," she admitted. "But I still think us taking a break for now is the right thing to do."

Gabriel nodded. "Are we still going to Saffy and Andrew's wedding together?"

"Sure," Alexa agreed.

Gabriel smiled. "I'd like that."

"I think we'll have a nice time," Alexa replied.

"We always do," Gabriel said softly.

Alexa smiled at him. "I'm almost done here. Then I just have to shrink everything up and I'm all set."

"Where's Carmen?" Gabriel asked.

"Having a latte in the quad," Alexa replied.

"That's why it's so quiet," Gabriel joked.

Alexa nodded wryly. "We'd hear her from down the hall if she knew you were here."

"Well, there's the one bright side of having you leave California," Gabriel said dryly.

Alexa shrugged. "She's okay, I guess. Just not necessarily a person I'd be friends with."

"Not like Saffy," Gabriel said.

Alexa shook her head. "Speaking of Saffy, wait until you see Ellie. She's gotten so big already."

"And you're still spoiling her?" Gabriel guessed.

"Just a little," Alexa said sheepishly.

"You are her godmother," Gabriel said. "I think it's a law that you're supposed to do that."

"RJ does the same thing," Alexa said. "But he buys her toys."

"Must seem like old times with you," Gabriel commented.

"In a way," Alexa said, shrinking down her things.

"That never gets old," Gabriel said grinning at her.

"Well that's it," Alexa looked at her half of the dorm room. "Seems like I never lived here."

Gabriel reached for her hand. "I only want you to be happy."

"I want the same for you," Alexa told him.

Gabriel gave her a hug. "You'd better write me."

"I might even come visit you," Alexa said.

Gabriel grinned. "I promise to stick my head out of a book if you do."

"Deal," Alexa laughed.

"So, how are you traveling?" Gabriel asked.

"Apparating," Alexa said. "In a little while."

"I guess you'll be really busy the next few weeks with the wedding plans and everything," Gabriel said.

"Oh yes," Alexa nodded. "Saf's hen night is next weekend."

"Uh-oh," Gabriel said. "Should we be worried?"

"Nah," Alexa replied. "It's probably going to be pretty tame."

"That's what you say now," Gabriel teased. "But you'll be calling me to bail you girls out of jail and I'll remind you of that."

"Sure," Alexa said wryly.

Gabriel looked at her. "Lexie, I'll miss you."

"I'll miss you too," Alexa said truthfully. "The times I enjoyed most over here are the times I was with you."

Gabriel smiled. "I'm glad."

Alexa bumped his shoulder with hers. "What's Nico been up to?"

Gabriel rolled his eyes. "Driving me crazy."

"On the contrary," Alexa said. "I think he keeps you sane."

"Him keeping me sane?" Gabriel asked, chuckling.

"He gives you that little dose of reality that you need to keep your nose out of those books," Alexa said.

Gabriel nodded. "That's what he always says."

"I can't believe I'm about to say this but he's right."

Gabriel shook his head. "I'd never admit it, but he is. He's like a brother to me."

"You're stuck with him the rest of your life," Alexa deadpanned.

Gabriel pretended to steady himself. "Scary thought."

Alexa laughed. "Well it works both ways. You keep him on the ground."

"Someone has to," Gabriel said with a grin. Alexa looked at her watch. "I should go and say goodbye to Carmen."

"You sure you want to risk it?" Gabriel teased.

Alexa nodded. "I should be asking you that question. She's much more interested in you than she ever was in me."

"She’s not my type," Gabriel replied.

"Partial to redheads?" Alexa asked taking his hand.

"You know I am," Gabriel said.

Alexa smiled at him. She wished things would have been different, but she knew this was for the best. The two of them managed to find Carmen in the quad and Carmen seemed more interested in gushing over Gabriel than saying goodbye to Alexa. They promised they'd keep in touch, but Alexa did not see them keeping that promise. It wasn't long before it was time for Alexa to leave.

"I guess this is it," she said softly.

Gabriel nodded. "Yeah."

"I'll see you soon," Alexa hugged him tightly.

"Take care, Lexie," Gabriel said softly.

Alexa gave him a kiss on the cheek. "You too. Stay out of the books, just once in awhile. I want to see you become the best doctor this country has ever seen."

"I will," Gabriel promised. "And you're going to be a great writer, Lexie."

"I hope so," Alexa replied.

Gabriel let go of her hand. "Goodbye."

"See you later," Alexa said.

Alexa watched as he turned to go. In some ways, she felt like a failure, but a part of her was excited to get back home and start over. She would do well at the new university and she would be around her friends and family. She would miss Gabriel, but this was the best thing for both of them.

*** *** ***

Nick put off telling his half sister about their father as long as he could. Every time he would visit Draco, his father would ask about Chiaki and Nick always had an excuse ready. But Draco's health was worsening quite dramatically and Nick knew it was now or never.

She was just finishing up her dance class for the day and Nick stood in the back watching her.

"Hey," Chiaki smiled at him once her students had left. "How's it going, stranger?"

"Okay," Nick replied, stepping forward. "How are you?"

"Good," Chiaki answered. "What's up?"

"I needed to have a word with you," Nick said. "If you have a moment..."

"Sure," Chiaki wiped off her forehead.

Nick sat down and Chiaki joined him. He honestly did not know where to begin. "Um, well I'm sure Jules has told you about Katie and the Malfoy ring..."

"She mentioned it," Chiaki nodded.

"Well, I was quite upset when I found out about it," Nick continued. "And I thought that my father had an ulterior motive for giving it to Katie."

"You mean he didn't?" Chiaki raised an eyebrow. It had been a long time since she'd spoken to or laid eyes on her birth father and she didn't care if she ever saw him again.

"Well, he did," Nick replied. "But, it wasn't anything I ever expected."

"Look--" Chiaki began.

"He's dying," Nick interjected.

Chiaki stared at him for a moment. "what?"

"He's dying," Nick repeated. "Lung cancer."

Chiaki still didn't say anything.

"I've met with his healer," Nick said. "This is real. He's not lying."

Chiaki shook her head. "I don't understand. Why did he come back?"

"He wants to put his affairs in order," Nick replied. "He wanted me to help him. At first, I didn't want to, but I've never seen him like this."

"What else does he want?" Chiaki asked. "There has to be some kind of catch."

"There's not," Nick replied. "This is different. He doesn't have much time. He--he asked to see you."

"No," Chiaki said immediately.

Nick could certainly see where she was coming from and why she would not want to see him. "Chiaki..."

"I don't want to see him," Chiaki said, her tone final.

"He's not your father," Nick said. "Neville is in every way that matters. I know that and you know that."

"So seeing him means nothing to me," Chiaki said. "And he made it clear all those years ago that I mean nothing to him. He can't change that now."

"I don't think that's what he wants," Nick said honestly.

"Whatever," Chiaki said. "I’m not going."

Nick handed her a slip of paper. "This is the room he's staying in."

Chiaki took it reluctantly.

"In case you change your mind," Nick said.

Chiaki sighed. "If I go, and that is a big if... I don't want to go alone."

"I can go with you," Nick said. "He might not be your father, but I'd like to think of you as my sister. I always have, you know."

"I know," Chiaki managed a half smile. "You've been a good brother."

Nick scoffed. "I've been a FANTASTIC brother."

"Don't flatter yourself," Chiaki rolled her eyes.

Nick nudged her. "You can admit it..."

"I'm older and wiser," Chiaki said. "I don't think so."

"What are you now?" Nick teased. "Sixty?"

"Jerk," Chiaki punched his shoulder.

Nick turned serious. "You know, I'd go with you. We could...we could even go now."

"What?" Chiaki asked. "Nick--"

"If you're ready," Nick said. "But you don't have much time to think about this. He's dying, Chi."

"Well... how long does he have?" Chiaki asked.

"His healer said it's a matter of weeks," Nick said quietly.

Chiaki felt herself pale. "Weeks?"

Nick nodded.

Chiaki sighed again and sat down on a folding chair. “I don’t know what to think.”

"I felt the same way," Nick said. "I mean, I've spent all these years without him and then he shows up out of the blue."

"Are you sure this isn't some sort of trick?" she asked again. "I mean- he could have hired someone to at as a healer..."

"I thought about that too," Nick said. "But, this Fitzgerald is legitimate. Liam Thornhart was in university with him. Says he's as good a healer as there is."

"I see..." Chiaki said quietly.

"I'm sorry to spring this on you," Nick said softly.

"It's just not what I was expecting," Chiaki said honestly.

Nick nodded. "Me, either."

She glanced at him sideways. "This is real?"

Nick nodded again. "I'm afraid so."

She was silent again for a few moments. "Let me change clothes. I don't know how long I'll stay... but I'll go."

"You sure?" Nick asked her.

"No," Chiaki said. "So we better go before I change my mind."

Nick nodded. "Okay. I'll just wait here."

Chiaki hurried to change her clothing while Nick leaned against the wall.

He prayed that his father would not say or do anything to make Chiaki feel horrible. If he did, Nick wasn't sure what he would do.

The other thing he was worried about was how he would tell his youngest daughter about this.

Katie had grown quite close to her paternal grandfather these last few months and Nick wasn't sure how Katie would take the news. She had dealt with loss before---when Elinore and Robert had died, but she had been younger then.

"Okay," Chiaki interrupted his thoughts. "Let's go."

Nick smiled reassuringly at her. "Okay."

They headed towards St Mungos when Nick brought up Katie. He told Chiaki what had been going on as far as the ring and how Katie had grown a bit closer to her grandfather. "How do I even tell her about this?"

"Be honest with her," Chiaki said thoughtfully. "She doesn't like to be treated like a child. Be honest with her and tell her that you and Jules will help her through this."

"I need to tell her soon," Nick said. "She'll be upset if... he goes before she sees him."

Chiaki nodded. "He---he hasn't reached out to Ashley then?"

"He's leaving her the art collection," Nick said. "Which surprised me a lot. I didn't think he would bother with her."

Chiaki did not honestly think Ashley would be too upset with the news. The girl had tried numerous times over the years to reach out to her other set of grandparents, but they had never answered her letters.

"And he left Katie quite a fortune," Nick said, revealing the amount to his sister.

Chiaki gaped at him. "Whoa--"

"I know," Nick replied. "She's not getting it until she's at least 18."

Chiaki nodded and felt a nervous pang in her stomach as she and Nick took the lift up to Draco Malfoy's room.

"Let me go tell him you're here," Nick said.

Chiaki nodded. 'Okay."

Nick headed in, hoping his father would be awake.

Draco was sitting up in his bed, reading a magazine. He still looked quite pale. "Father?"

"Nicholas," Draco put the magazine aside. "I didn't think I'd see you again so soon."

"How are you feeling?" Nick asked.

"Fair," Draco replied.

"Someone's here to see you," Nick said quietly. "Chiaki. I told her about what's going on and that you wanted to see her."

"You convinced her," Draco nodded approvingly.

Nick nodded. "But, if you do anything to hurt her..."

Draco's eyes narrowed. "Don't order me around, Nicholas. I have no intentions to do so. I may be sick but I will not be spoken to in that manner."

Nick didn't answer him. Instead, he turned around and stuck his head out of the door. "Chi?" he called out.

Chiaki appeared around the corner, nervously twisting a strand of hair around her finger.

"Ready?" Nick asked her.

"Sure," she said.

Chiaki stepped into the room and resisted the urge to gape at her biological father. She had seen much of him, but he looked quite frail and helpless sitting in that bed. Words failed her as she looked at him. His eyes so much like her own, she thought.

"Hello," Draco nodded to her. "Thank you for coming."

Chiaki nodded wordlessly.

"I'm sure Nicholas has filled you in on the details," Draco said. "I don't have much time left."

Again, Chiaki nodded.

Nick motioned for her to sit down. "So..." he said, trying to break the ice.

"You look just like your mother," Draco commented.

"Thank you," Chiaki said quietly.

"And I understand you have two children of your own," Draco said hoarsely.

"Twins," Chiaki answered. "My daughter's name is Sukie, and my son's name is Mas- short for Masanobu."

"I see," Draco said. "I'm going to leave some money to you and your children."

"You don't have to--" Chiaki began.

"I never do anything because I have to," Draco interjected. "I'm doing this because I want to."

Chiaki was taken aback. "Okay." she said. "Thank you."

Draco started coughing. Nick poured his father a glass of water.

"Drink it slow," Nick told him. "Like the healer said..."

Draco nodded and did as his son requested. Chiaki fidgeted in her seat, wondering what she was doing here. She did not know this man.

"Better," Nick said, sitting back down.

Draco stared at Chiaki. She really did remind him so much of her mother.

Chiaki shifted uncomfortably. "Is... is there anything else?" she asked. "I mean, did you want to ask me any questions or something?"

"Longbottom---he's been a good father to you?" Draco asked.

"Yes," Chiaki nodded. "He's an amazing father."

"Something I never was," Draco said hoarsely. "Right, Nicholas?"

"We don't have to talk about that now," Nick replied.

Draco let out a weak laugh that turned into another coughing fit.

"Dad," Nick said. "Here... just drink this, slowly. And breathe."

Draco took the glass from his son. He struggled to catch his breath/

Chiaki felt her eyes well up with tears as she watched her father try to calm himself down. For the first time in her life, she felt something for him.

"I saw you once," Draco said when he managed to calm down. "I was here on---on a consult. You had to have been three years old then. I think Longbottom and Cho had brought you here for a check up."

"You did?" Chiaki asked curiously.

Draco nodded. "You were in Longbottom's lap or something. You were scared about seeing a healer and he was trying to calm you down."

Chiaki managed a tiny smile. "I never did like seeing a healer."

"Pains me to admit this, but Longbottom knew just what to do," Draco said. "I would have just handed you off to your mother and walked away."

"I guess you could say letting my dad adopt me was the best gift you could have ever given me," Chiaki said honestly.

Draco nodded. "You were certainly better off. Nicholas can attest to how poor a father I was."

Nick shook his head. "There's no use bringing it up now."

"Nick's right," Chiaki said looking at her half brother. "There's nothing that can be changed now."

"Yes well... I can make a few things right," Draco lay his head back on the pillow.

"Maybe we should go," Nick suggested. "You need your rest..."

"Bring Katherine with you next time," Draco said.

"I will," Nick promised.

Chiaki stood up. "Goodbye..."

"Take care of yourself, Chiaki," Draco said weakly.

"I will," Chiaki said before hurrying from the room.

Nick promised his father he would be back later that evening before he hurried after his half-sister.

Chiaki nearly ran down the corridor before collapsing on a chair in the waiting room. She felt as if the wind had been knocked out of her.

Nick put his hand on her shoulder. "Chiaki?"

"I'm okay," she said. "I just need a minute."

"I can't imagine that was very easy for you," Nick said sitting down beside her.

"It was weird," she agreed. "To feel sorry for him like that. For him to tell me he'd seen me- and for him to admit that my father was better than him."

Nick put his arm around her and hugged her. "I know."

"I guess I'm glad I came," Chiaki said. "I feel like I have a bit of closure that I didn't know I needed."

Nick nodded. "He keeps surprising me.'

Chiaki nodded. "I should head home. I'm spending some time with my grandparents tonight."

"Okay," Nick said giving her another hug.

"Good luck with Katie," Chiaki said.

"Thanks," Nick said. "Give Frank and Alice my best."

"I will," Chiaki promised before leaving.

Nick took a few minutes to collect himself. He wondered what would happen when his mother finally found out about this. Nick was happy that she was not here trying to make this about her.

She was going to have to find out soon, though. And Nick had a sinking feeling that it would be up to him to tell her.

But, for the moment, he had to tell Katie and Ashley.

Chiaki walked to her parents’ house, needing a little time by herself to process everything.

She wiped at her eyes and then gently knocked on the door.

Her mother answered it. "Sweetheart- what are you doing out here? Why didn't you just come in by the Floo?"

Chiaki didn't answer and just hugged her mother.

"What is it?" Cho asked, concerned. "Are Tosh and the kids okay?"

Neville appeared behind his wife. "Chiaki?"

"Something happened," Cho said. "But I can't get a word out of her..."

Cho gently led Chiaki into the sitting room, where Frank and Alice were sitting.

Alice took one look at her granddaughter and rose to her feet.

"I'm sorry to just barge in here like this," Chiaki managed.

"We were expecting you soon," Cho told her gently. "But tell us what's wrong..."

Chiaki sat down. "I just came from visiting---Draco Malfoy."

"What?" Cho asked in surprise. "Why-- how?"

Chiaki told them about Nick's surprise visit. "He has cancer and he wanted to see me."

"What did he say that upset you?" Neville asked, growing angry. "I don't care if he's sick--"

Chiaki shook her head. "Dad, he didn't do anything. He's dying."

"He's dying?" Cho gasped.

Chiaki nodded. "He told Nick that he's trying to get things in order before he goes. And I know what you're thinking---he has to be plotting something. But this was real, Mum."

"Draco Malfoy..." Frank said. "That would be Lucius's son?"

Chiaki nodded. "Yes, Grandpa."

"We talked about Draco," Neville said. "That he's... Chiaki's birth father. We haven't heard from him in ages though."

"He's not doing very well," Chiaki said softly. "He---just wanted to tell me that he was leaving some money to the children and me."

"How long does he have?" Cho asked curiously.

"A few weeks at best," Chiaki said. "I---for the first time, I felt sorry for him."

"Wow..." Neville sat back.

"He apparently hasn't told his wife," Chiaki told them.

"There's a great marriage," Cho shook her head. "Honestly."

"Nick was saying that was probably for the best since she's a bit selfish," Chiaki said.

Cho bit her tongue on the topic of Ginny Malfoy. "Why don't I make you a cup of tea?" she suggested.

"I'd like that," Chiaki replied.

Cho patted her daughter's shoulder and headed into the kitchen.

Alice took Cho's seat and put her arm around her granddaughter. "It's okay, love."

"I know," Chiaki said. "At first I didn't even want to go. But when I heard he was dying... I sort of felt like I should."

"And now that you have?" Alice asked.

"I don't know," Chiaki said. "I don't know what I'm feeling right now."

"How brave you were," Alice said squeezing her hand. "And what a big heart you have."

Chiaki smiled a bit tremulously at her grandmother. "I don't really feel that way right now, but thank you."

Alice gave her a hug. "Well, I for one am glad that you came here."

"I was looking forward to visiting with you all day," Chiaki replied.

"I was too," Alice said.

"How are those two kids of yours?" Frank asked with a chuckle. "They were certainly lively last time."

Chiaki smiled. "Still as lively as ever. Sukie keeps trying to get Mas to play dress up with her."

"And he's having none of that, I'm sure." Frank laughed.

"No," Chiaki said. "She chases him around with a crown in one hand and a dress in the other."

Frank laughed heartily at that. "I hope you'll bring them by again soon."

"I will," Chiaki promised.

"How was Nick?" Neville asked. "With this whole situation?"

"I think this has brought he and his father closer," Chiaki said. "This is harder on him than it is on me."

"Well he did live with him," Neville replied.

"And no matter what, that is his father," Chiaki said. "I think he feels bad that he wasn't as good a father to Nick as Nick deserved. I mean, he'd never come out and say it, but that's the impression I got."

"You probably hit the nail on the head," Neville told his daughter.

Chiaki nodded. "I---I'm going to see if Mum needs any help."

"Sure, sweetheart," Neville watched her go, worry lines etched on his forehead.

Chiaki stepped into the kitchen. "Mum?"

"Hi love," Cho said. "I was just pouring your tea."

"He said that I looked just like you," Chiaki said softly.

"Malfoy did?" Cho asked.

Chiaki nodded and then told her mother about Malfoy seeing her when she was a toddler.

"I'm surprised he bothered to look," Cho said. "But I suppose it shows that even he has a little feeling in him."

"He meant something at one time to you," Chiaki said. "How are you doing with this?"

Cho shrugged. "I think this will affect you more than it does me. I haven't thought or felt anything about Draco Malfoy in years."

"Neither have I," Chiaki said. "I'm worried about Nick...and Katie."

"I think it would mean a lot to Nick to have you there for him," Cho said. "For him and for Katie."

"I'll be there for them," Chiaki said. "Definitely."

Cho gave her a tight hug. "You're my girl."

Chiaki rested her head on her mother's shoulder. This was exactly where she wanted to be right now.

"Come on," Cho said. "Let's take this in and sit with your grandparents."

"Okay," Chiaki smiled.

They went back out and sat down with Neville, Frank and Alice. Chiaki tried to push the thoughts of her birth father far from her head and worked on enjoying the evening.

While that was going on, Nick was pacing in Julie's office. She had gone to get the girls from the Great Hall where they were having their dinner.

He hated that he was about to disrupt the end of the year for them, but like Draco had said, he wasn't sure how much longer he had.

He heard their voices in the distance. He still had no idea how to break this news to them.

"Mummy what's going on?" Katie pouted. "I was in the middle of--"

"Dad?" Ashley asked, in surprise.

"Hi sweetheart," Nick managed a smile.

Julie closed the door behind them. "Have a seat, girls."

"What's wrong?" Katie asked anxiously.

"Your father has something he needs to tell you both," Julie said.

"Is Greta okay?" Ashley asked. "Sophie?"

Nick nodded. "They're both fine. It's um, it's about your grandfather. Your Grandfather Malfoy."

Ashley sat back in her chair with some relief while Katie tensed.

"I don't have to give my ring back, do I?" Katie asked. "Because it wouldn't be very nice if you took it back now..."

"Katie..." Nick said. "Your grandfather is here because he's dying."

Katie shook her head. "No..."

"He has lung cancer," Nick told her gently.

Katie vehemently shook her head. "You're lying. It's something you're telling me to keep me away from him. But, you said it was okay for him to write to me and to give me the ring..."

"Katie," Julie said. "Your father isn't lying to you. In fact, he wants to take you to see him."

Nick knelt down before her. "He's very sick and he doesn't have much time left."

Katie's eyes filled with tears. "He doesn't?"

Nick shook his head. "Your mum has cleared it with the headmaster and I'd like to take you to him tonight, if that's okay."

Katie nodded. "Okay."

"He's putting his affairs in order and he's leaving some money to members of his family," Nick said. He looked over at his oldest daughter. "He's leaving you his entire art collection."

"He is?" Ashley asked in surprise.

Nick nodded.

"Does he want to see me?" Ashley asked curiously.

"I think he'd like to see you both," Nick said. "Maybe to tell you about the art collection himself."

"Okay," Ashley said quietly.

"Are you both ready?" Nick asked them.

"I'll wait for you all here," Julie said. "And take you back to your dormitories when you get back."

Katie wiped at her eyes. "Okay."

Nick looked over at his wife. "Thanks Jules."

Julie nodded. "Of course."

Katie held onto her father as he activated a portkey that would take them to St. Mungos. She was scared to see her grandfather so sick.

Ashley took her younger sister's hand. Though she was sad to hear about her grandfather, she knew that this was hurting Katie more. "It'll be okay, Katie."

Katie shook her head. "It's not fair."

"No, it's not," Ashley agreed quietly.

"He really likes me," Katie said. "And now that I get to know him, he's going to die!"

Nick stopped walking and turned to look at his daughter. "Sweetheart, I know this is hard. Believe me, I know. But, your grandfather is really sick and you don't want to upset him. Try and keep a brave face, okay?"

Katie nodded. "Yes, Dad. I'll try."

Nick gave her a hug. "That's my girl."

Katie managed a wan smile as Nick led her and Ashley into the room.

Katie swallowed the lump in her throat as she saw her grandfather.

"Nicholas," Draco said pushing himself up. "You brought Katherine. Very good."

"And Ashley," Nick said motioning for his other daughter to come forward.

"Oh yes," Draco said, barely taking his eyes off his younger granddaughter. "Katherine, I'm so pleased you came."

"Hi, Grandfather," Katie said in a small voice.

"I'm sorry you have to see me like this," Draco said.

Katie shook her head. "You look very distinguished, Grandfather."

Draco chuckled weakly. "You do have a way with words."

Tears welled up in Katie's eyes, but she tried to remember what her father had told her.

"It's all right," Draco told her. "I've done what I wanted to do in my lifetime. Now I leave it to you to carry on the Malfoy name."

"I'll make you proud," Katie promised.

"I knew you would," Draco said. "I'm glad you have the ring."

Katie's hand instinctively went to the ring that she still wore on a chain around her neck. "Me, too."

Draco motioned her closer. "You can use it.... later on. When you need help..."

Katie raised an eyebrow. "What?" she whispered.

"When the time is right, you'll know." Draco told her.

"Okay," Katie said, though she was dying to ask him what he meant.

"Ash." Nick nudged her forward. "Your grandfather is leaving you his art collection."

Ashley looked at her grandfather. "Thank you, sir."

Draco nodded to her. "Of course, an art collection is special, but Katherine here gets the fortune."

Ashley was stung by his remark, but she was not going to show him that. "Dad, I think I'm just going to wait outside," Ashley said.

"Ash--" Nick began.

Ashley just shook her head. "I'll be outside."

"A fortune?" Katie asked, not noticing her sister leave.

Draco nodded. "Your father is going to set it into a trust that you can inherit on your twenty-first birthday."

Katie turned and stared at her father.

"On your twenty-first birthday," Nick told her firmly.

Katie thought that was extremely unfair but didn't voice that thought. She turned back to her grandfather.

"Id rather have you here," Katie told him.

"It's a shame it took until now to realise your potential, Katherine." Draco told her.

"Well, you could have visited us before," Katie pointed out.

"If it were only that easy," Draco said, coughing.

Katie reached for his hand.

"I'll be all right," Draco said. "Nicholas, get me some water."

"Sure," Nick said reaching for the glass.

Katie backed away, frightened as Draco coughed horribly.

"Katie, why don't you give us a minute?" Nick suggested. "Check on Ashley?"

"Okay," Katie said in a small voice as she hurried into the corridor.

Ashley looked up from her seat just outside.

"What is it?" she asked, seeing her sister's scared face.

"He---he started coughing really bad," Katie managed.

"I guess that's what happens with lung cancer," Ashley said. "Here... sit down with me."

Katie sat down beside her sister and rested her head on Ashley's shoulder.

"I know you and our grandfather have some sort of bond..." Ashley said. "For that, I'm sorry he's dying. But otherwise, I think we should just remember how lucky we are to have Grandpa Harry and Grandma Hermione."

"I love them," Katie said softly. "You know that."

"I do," Ashley nodded.

Katie lifted her head to look at her sister properly. "Are you mad that he isn't leaving you any money?"

Ashley shrugged. "I guess, not really."

"I have to wait until I'm 21 to get it," Katie pouted.

"That's not that big a deal," Ashley said.

"It's like forever away," Katie argued.

"Katie--" Ashley began when Nick stuck his head back out the door.

"Girls, come in and say goodbye to your grandfather," Nick said.

"Is this the last time we'll get to see him?" Katie asked.

"I'm not sure," Nick said softly.

"I'm scared," Katie admitted.

Nick stepped out into the corridor and opened his arms. Katie hugged her father tightly.

"It'll be all right, Katie bear," Nick said. "I promise."

Katie wanted to believe him.

"Just trust me," Nick smoothed her hair back. "Come on."

Ashley and Katie followed their father back into the room.

Draco was lying back on the pillow, his face even paler than before. "Girls, just a minute, okay?" Nick asked. "Your grandfather needs to rest."

Draco looked at the two girls. "No need to be scared, girls. Malfoys aren't scared."

Katie shook her head. "No, sir."

Draco coughed. "Remember---remember that."

"I always will," Katie said. "I promise."

Draco smiled and then turned his attention to Ashley. "You're too much like your mother to be much of a Malfoy. But, I have no doubt that you'll do great things."

"Thanks," Ashley said quietly. "I like being similar to my mother."

"Father, come on," Nick warned.

"I'm being honest," Draco told him. "I'm nothing if not honest."

"Of course," Nick said tightly. He put his arm around Ashley.

"I hope I get to see you at least one more time," Katie said to her grandfather.

"I do too," Draco said weakly.

Katie leaned forward and gave him a kiss on the cheek.

"Goodbye," Katie whispered.

"Make me proud, Katherine." Draco managed.

"I will," Katie promised, taking Ashley's hand.

"I'll be back tomorrow," Nick told his father.

Draco nodded and closed his eyes.

"Come on," Nick whispered.

Katie gave her grandfather one last look before following her sister and father out of the room. The tears that she had held back began to fall and Ashley put a comforting arm around her sister.

"But I might not ever get to see him again," Katie sobbed. "Or talk to him, or write to him..."

"I know," Nick said hugging her tightly. "It's...it's going to be okay, Katie."

"It's not fair," Katie bawled.

"No, it's not," Nick said. To his surprise, he found that he believed that. His father was by no means a changed man, but Nick had found a little more common ground with him these last few weeks. For the first time, Nick felt like he actually knew his father.

"We should get back," Ashley said quietly. "Mum's expecting us."

Katie gave the door to her grandfather's room one last look before reluctantly leaving. She hoped that this would not be the last time she ever saw him.

325. Chapter 325 What Happens at the Stag Party...

Authors' note: Two exciting events in this chapter. Saffron's hen night and Andrew's stag party. And---the arrival of the newest Weasley---ickle Olivia. We hope you enjoy! Please read and review!

Saffron was excited for her hen night- some time out with her best friends was what she needed. Her parents were watching Ellie for the night and she and Andrew had just dropped her off.

"Promise you'll behave?" Andrew asked teasingly.

"Only if you promise double," Saffron poked him.

"Me?" Andrew asked innocently. "Get into trouble?"

"Not you... but RJ." Saffron replied.

"He's just taking me to the Veela Snatch," Andrew said, trying to keep a straight face.

"He better not!" Saffron exclaimed.

Andrew laughed and pulled her close. "Saf, you know he's not. I was kidding."

"I don't want you coming back with some disease," Saffron wrinkled her nose.

Andrew gave her a kiss. "You have nothing to worry about. I have everything I need right here."

Saffron smiled. "Me too."

"So, we're all meeting up at Jon and Josh's pub later, right?" Andrew asked. "If you girls aren't in jail..."

"Ha!" Saffron said. "I've got extra money just in case I have to bail you out. Of course, I might just leave RJ in there all night..."

Andrew laughed. "To teach him a lesson?"

"Something like that," Saffron kissed him again.

"Oy!" RJ called out. "Hands off, you tart! He's a taken man!"

"Ugh," Saffron groaned. "His impeccable timing."

"Oh, it is the old ball and chain," RJ said grinning at her.

Saffron made a move to kick him but Andrew held her back.

"Easy," Andrew said. "Let's not start the night out with assault and battery."

"Especially after what I have planned," RJ said. "This is going to be the best night of your life, Kirke."

Saffron shot him a look. "RJ..."

"Second best?" RJ asked.

"Yeah, I'm sure the stag party is going to come in before the birth of his child," Saffron said rolling her eyes.

Andrew laughed. "I've been looking forward to it, like Saf's been excited about her hen night."

Saffron looked at her watch. "Which I'm late for. I'll see you blokes later."

Andrew hugged her to him. "Have fun."

"You too," Saffron said softly. "I love you."

"Love you," he said. "See you in a few hours."

RJ clapped Andrew on the back. The two of them were meeting Andrew's teammates and some friends at The Leaky Cauldron.

"Are you ready?" RJ asked. "I’ve been looking forward to this all week."

Andrew nodded. "Yeah."

"Come on mate," RJ said. "It's one of your last nights as a single bloke."

"I know," Andrew said. "But, I'm not exactly sorry to see my single days go by the wayside."

"I suppose I'll feel that way when I finally tie the knot with Aud," RJ said thoughtfully.

"RJ Weasley finally growing up," Andrew joked.

"Shut it," RJ punched him on the shoulder. "Come on."

They arrived at the Leaky Cauldron where Andrew's teammates were already sitting at the bar. "Let's get them all pissed so I can get some of your trade secrets," RJ said with a grin. "I mean I am slumming by hanging out with you Wimbourne losers so I might as well get something out of it."

"You mean like how we're going to beat the trousers of you next match?" Andrew asked.

RJ laughed. "Yeah, right."

"Wait and see," Andrew said with a grin.

"Come on," Andrew's team mate Russell said. "We've got a room upstairs for the party."

"Great," Andrew said. "Does everyone have a drink already?"

His teammates each raised a glass.

"And don't worry," Russell said with a grin. "We've got something for you up there already."

Andrew chuckled. "Should I be afraid?"

"Maybe," Russell replied, laughing.

Andrew shrugged. "Okay, then. Let's see what you have upstairs then..."

RJ caught the look Russell gave one of Andrew's other team mates and pulled on his best friend's arm. "I don't know what they've got up there. No one told me about any surprises..."

Andrew stopped in his tracks. "Um..."

"If it gets rowdy, we'll get you out of there," RJ told him. "I don't want to start anything with Saffron."

"Kirke!" Russell called out. "Come on!"

Andrew looked over at RJ before following his team mates upstairs. "Guys--" he began.

"Andrew," Russell said cutting him off. "Have a seat..."

"What's going on?" Andrew asked suspiciously. "What did you do?"

"Have a seat," Russell said with a grin.

"If you got a dancer--" Andrew began again.

Russell shoved Andrew down into a chair. "Sit."

"Wait a minute--" RJ began.

"Start the music," Russell called out.

The lights dimmed and Andrew saw a flash and a very scantily clad girl appeared before him.

"Where's the groom-to-be?" the girl asked. "Hmmm...."

"Right here!" Russell said, laughing.

Andrew shook his head. "Russ, mate...come on..."

"Saffron won't know," Russell told him. "Come on, just enjoy it!"

"I'm Layla," the girl said seductively.

"Hi," Andrew mumbled. "Um... I'm really not into this. So you don't have to dance for me. Go for one of those other blokes."

"They're not the groom," Layla said plopping down on his lap.

"I wont' be either if you keep this up." Andrew said.

Layla kissed him on the cheek before standing up and walking over to Andrew's more enthusiastic teammates.

Andrew breathed a sigh of relief.

RJ shook his head. "I honestly had no idea, mate."

"I know," Andrew replied. "We'll keep this between us."

"I've seen her do that thing her dad does every now and then when he gets angry," RJ said shuddering at the memory. "Gets that look on her face and books start falling off the shelves...glass breaks..."

"Yeah I don't want to go through that," Andrew said hastily.

"Me either," RJ agreed.

"Let's let them enjoy her," Andrew said. "And let's grab a beer."

"Good idea," RJ said.

Meanwhile across town, the girls were just sitting down to dinner. "I'm starved," Saffron said.

"Me too," Mimi agreed. "I haven't eaten anything since breakfast."

"Same here," Beth replied. "I've been working like crazy."

"My aunt will do that to you," Saffron said.

"I am getting some really good experience," Beth said.

"I'm happy for you, Beth," Saffron said. "I really am."

"Well I owe it all to you," Beth replied.

"I got you in the door," Saffron corrected her. "But, your talent is keeping you there."

Beth smiled. "Thanks."

Mimi grinned at Alexa. "And now we have Lexie back where she belongs!"

"And I'm staying," Alexa laughed. "Headed to University locally this autumn."

Saffron grinned. "And she'll be around to spoil Ellie."

"As if I don't do a good enough job of that already." Alexa replied.

"It's easy to spoil her," Mimi said. "She's adorable."

"Well she IS Saffy's daughter," Alexa replied with a grin.

Saffron grinned. "Yes, she is."

Audrey laughed. "You lot should see how cute RJ is with her."

"Well, he is just a big kid himself," Saffron said.

"He is, at heart," Audrey agreed. "But it makes him so much fun."

"He is great with her," Saffron agreed. "And she adores him."

"How about some wine?" Mimi asked as their waiter approached. "Red or white?"

"White," Alexa replied.

"White sounds good to me too," Saffron nodded.

The girls placed their drink orders. It was quite surreal, Saffron thought, that she was sitting here with her best friends and in just a few weeks, she'd be married.

She couldn't wait to be married to Andrew. This was a dream come true for her.

"It's a shame Julie couldn't join us," Alexa commented.

"I know," Saffron agreed. "But she's got some meeting... and then the whole thing with Nick's dad..."

Alexa nodded. "If there's anything I can do..."

"Thanks," Saffron said. "In a weird way, it's been good for Nick. I just feel bad when he's got to deal with his mum."

"Amazing he turned out as well as he did with her as a mother," Beth commented.

"That would be Greta," Saffron said with a grin.

"That woman should be recognised as a saint," Mimi teased. "She helped raise you after all..."

"So funny, Meems," Saffron said.

"I wonder if you were as bossy and scary when you were a baby as you are now," Beth continued.

"She wasn't," Alexa said loyally. "Her parents always said she was a good baby."

"They were probably scared of her too," Beth said, giggling.

"That's not very nice," Alexa frowned at her.

"You're supposed to be celebrating me," Saffron pointed out.

"I was just kidding," Beth said hastily.

"Good answer," Mimi told her best friend.

"How about that wine," Audrey said with a grin.

"Here it comes," Alexa said seeing their waiter. "And we can order our food. I'm starving."

"Me too," Saffron replied. "I haven’t had a chance to eat anything today."

Alexa shook her head. "Saffy..."

"I know, but I've just been so busy," Saffron replied.

"You don't want to pass out at the altar," Alexa admonished.

"I'll eat on my wedding day," Saffron replied. "You'll be there with me the whole time..."

"Absolutely," Alexa promised.

The girls all ordered their food and enjoyed the wine. "I just can't believe the wedding is so close," Saffron admitted. "It sort of feels like it sneaked up on me."

"I can't wait," Beth said. "It's going to be a beautiful ceremony."

"I cant' believe some of the things RJ has told me about magical weddings," Audrey said. "I'm really excited."

"Speaking of RJ, he'd better behave tonight," Saffron said.

"I'm sure he will," Audrey replied. "He just wants Andrew to have a good time."

"He's grown up a lot," Alexa said.

"He has," Saffron nodded. "Don't ever tell him I said this, but he's been a big help with things."

Audrey laughed. "Your secret is safe with me. But, he'd do anything for you both. You know that."

Saffron grinned. "I do know it."

The girls finished their meal and headed for Josh and Jon's pub to meet up with the guys.

To their surprise, the only blokes there were Andrew, RJ, Jake and Peter.
They were playing a game of darts and drinking beer.

"Where's your teammates?" Saffron asked. "I thought they were coming to your stag party..."

"Well..." Andrew glanced at RJ. "They sort of stayed with... a special guest."

"Special guest?" Saffron asked raising an eyebrow.

"They sort of hired a dancer..." RJ said.

Saffron folded her arms. "What?"

"It wasn't me!" RJ said hastily.

"It was his teammates," Jake chimed in, in RJ's defence.

"I told her no, and she went over by them," Andrew said. "We left about ten minutes after that and came here."

"Josh can vouch for us," RJ said to Saffron. "He's behind the bar if you want to ask..."

"I believe you," Saffron assured them.

Andrew puts his arms around her. "You behaved yourself too, then?"

"We had a perfectly respectable dinner," Saffron replied.

Alexa nodded. "Except when Beth danced on the table..."

"And took off her shirt," Audrey chimed in.

"Can't give that girl more than two glasses of wine," Saffron said, shaking her head.

RJ laughed. "Does Petey know?"

"Does Peter know what?" Beth asked, joining them.

"About your little show?" RJ couldn't resist teasing.

"My what?" Beth asked.

Saffron, Alexa and Audrey all began to laugh.

"What?" Beth asked, folding her arms.

"How about another glass of wine for you?" RJ asked. "And another striptease on the table?"

"Striptease?" Beth asked, watching in horror as RJ did a little dance for her. She glared at her friends. "What did you lot tell him I did?"

The other three girls only laughed harder.

"Funny," Beth glared at them. "Very, very funny..."

"Come on," RJ said. "We could have hired you for Andrew's party..."

"Beth doesn't do that for just ANYONE," Saffron teased.

"Even old Petey?" RJ couldn't resist asking.

"RJ!" Beth swatted at him.

"Just asking," RJ replied.

Beth huffed and turned on her heel, stalking over to Peter.

"She'll get over it," Alexa said giggling.

"Eventually," Saffron leaned against Andrew.

Audrey, RJ and Alexa excused themselves to give the couple a moment together.

"I checked in with my mum on the way here," Saffron said. "Ellie is sleeping soundly after spending the evening charming my father."

"Good," Andrew nuzzled her ear.

"This is the best part of my night," Saffron said closing her eyes.

"I missed you too," Andrew said softly.

"Even with your dancer friend?" Saffron teased.

"Oh yeah," Andrew rolled his eyes. "Can't believe I passed that up."

"Well," Saffron turned to look at him. "If you play your cards right, I might do a little dance for you when we get home..."

"Oh?" Andrew raised his eyebrows. "What sort of dance?"

Saffron grinned and whispered something in his ear.

"Think they'd notice if we left now?" Andrew asked.

Saffron laughed. "Probably."

"We'll have to wait it out just a little while," Andrew put his arms around her.

"Just a little while," Saffron agreed.

Andrew gave her a quick kiss before they rejoined their friends.

RJ raised his glass. "I would like to propose a toast to Saffron and Andrew."

The couple smiled at each other then at RJ.

"You two have had your ups and downs, but you've always found your way back to each other," RJ continued.

"Hear, hear." Andrew grinned at him.

"To Saffron and Andrew!" their friends echoed, raising their glasses.

Andrew put an arm around his fiancée and pulled her close. "I'd just like to say that I have the best girl. She's a wonderful mother and I love her and our daughter more than anything else in the world."

Saffron beamed at him.

He leaned in and kissed her as everyone toasted them again.

Saffron recalled what she had said to her friends earlier that evening about the wedding sneaking up on her.

It may have come fast, but Saffron was certain the day she married Andrew would be one of the best days of her life.

*** *** ***

Allison looked down at the small baby in her arms and smiled. She had actually given birth just a few days ago, but since the baby had been premature, they'd had to
stay in the hospital for a few days as a precaution.

Olivia Charlotte Weasley had been a surprise from the moment Allison had found out she was pregnant. It made sense that she'd arrive sooner than expected.
Today, they were both being discharged from the hospital and Allison was eager to take the newborn home. Jon was downstairs signing the discharge papers.

"Your sisters and brother are very, very eager to meet you," she whispered.

Olivia looked up at Allison and gave her a little smile. Allison's heart caught in her throat. All the bed rest that she'd hated so much was worth it, Allison thought.

"My girls are officially checked out," Jon said from the doorway.

"Great," Allison said with a grin. "I can't wait to get home."

"She awake?" Jon asked softly.

"Yes," Allison replied. "Why don't you hold her?"

Jon smiled. "Yeah?"

"She wants to see her daddy," Allison told him.

Jon gingerly took Olivia from her. "Merlin, she's so small, Al."

"I know," Allison replied. "I'm just so happy she's going to be all right."

Jon kissed his daughter's forehead. "Me too."

"Come on," Allison lifted her bag. "Let's get home. I want to see the kids."

Cho was watching the children while Jon picked up Olivia and Allison. Cho had just finished making breakfast for them and the four of them were sitting at the table, eating cereal.

"When Olivia gets home, she's going to want to meet me first," Emma said. The children had not yet been able to meet their sister due to her being premature.

Caroline looked at her sister. "What makes you say that, Em?"

"Cause I'm the most funnest," Emma replied.
"No," Adam shook his head.

Emma glared at him. "Am too!"

"Nuh uh," Adam said with a grin.

Cho smiled. "I think Olivia is going to love meeting all three of you."

"I'm kind of glad she came early," Caroline confessed.

"Why's that, love?" Cho asked.

"Now I get to spend more time with her," Caroline said. "Before I go to school."

Cho smiled. "I can't believe you'll be going to Hogwarts. I remember the day your parents brought you home from hospital."

Caroline smiled. "That was so long ago now!"

"Don't want Sissy to go," Adam said. "Em go instead."

Caroline giggled at the look on Emma's face. "Adam, be nice."

"Caroline's right," Cho said, standing up to pour herself another cup of coffee. "Adam loves you, Em."

"I know," Emma replied, helping herself to more cereal.

"How are Great-Grandma Alice and Great-Grandpa Frank?" Caroline asked, changing the subject to try and avoid a fight between her younger siblings.

"They're doing fine," Cho said. "They'll be over later after their treatment at the hospital."

"Grandpa Frank tells the bestest stories," Emma declared.

"You like hearing stories about your grandpa when he was a little baby, don't you?" Cho asked with a grin.

Emma nodded. "He's funny."

"He loves all of you very much," Cho told them.

Caroline smiled. "We love him, too. "

"Hello!" all four of them heard Jon call out.

The three children hurried out of the kitchen and into the sitting room.

Jon was still holding Olivia and Allison smiled as her three children tore over to them.

"Mummy!" Adam squealed.

Allison laughed as her son propelled himself into her arms. "Hi, sweetheart. I missed you so much."

Adam put his arms around her neck. "Where's new sissy?"

Allison lifted him up. "She's right here."

Caroline grinned. "She has brown hair like Mummy and me!"

"Olivia evened it out," Jon joked.

Emma peered at the baby. "Daddy, she's tiny!"

"Yes she is," Jon nodded. "Would you like to hold her?"

Emma liked the idea that she would be the first to hold her baby sister. She nodded eagerly.

"Me next," Adam said.

"Sit down," Jon told Emma. "And I'll hand her to you..."

Emma clambered up on the sofa as Cho came into the room.

"Welcome home!" Cho exclaimed.

"Hi mum," Allison smiled as Jon carefully passed Olivia to Emma.

Emma looked down at her sister. "Hello, Olivia. I'm Emma Weasley."

Olivia let out a very soft little coo.

Emma grinned. "I'm going to be your favourite."

"Me," Adam shook his head.

"You and me are going to play together every single day," Emma said, ignoring Adam.

"And me too," Adam said. "When Em's at school."

"Listen," Jon said. "You both need to realise that Olivia isn't going to be able to play with you right away. Mostly she's going to sleep."

Emma shook her head. "She loves me."

Allison set Adam down and the little boy sat down beside Emma. Caroline walked over to her mother and gave her a hug. "I'm glad everything's okay, Mummy."

"Me too, Angel." Allison hugged her oldest daughter to her. "You were such a big help to me."

"I wanted to do it," Caroline said. "Em's right. She is so small."

Allison nodded. "She'll get bigger in no time. She's going to grow so fast."

Cho smiled at her daughter. "Did you want some breakfast, love?"

"I'm all right," Allison replied. "I had some cardboard in the hospital this morning."

Cho laughed. "I see."

"You ate cardboard?" Emma scrunched up her face.

Allison laughed. "No, not really. They said it was waffles, but it tasted like cardboard."

"You know who makes good waffles?" Emma asked. "Andrew."

Jon smiled at her. "Is that so?"

"Yes," Emma nodded. "I would know."

Jon chuckled. "I stand corrected, Emma."

"My turn," Adam said.

Emma sighed. "Okay."

"Sit right where Emma was," Jon told his son.

Adam nodded. "Okay."

"Be careful," Emma told him. "Don't drop her."

"I won't," Adam said as Jon placed Olivia in his arms.

Adam looked down at his baby sister as Olivia opened her eyes and smiled up him.

Adam grinned. "Mummy! Look!'

Allison smiled. "She knows her big brother is holding her."

Adam laughed. "Hello, Olivia. I'm Adam."

Olivia's smile grew wider.

"I'm the favourite," Adam whispered.

Caroline was the only one who heard this and she giggled.

"What are you laughing about?" Jon asked, tickling Caroline's side.

"Nothing," Caroline grinned. "She's just so cute, Daddy."

"She looks just like her older sister," Jon said grinning at her.

"I think she has my eyes," Emma said, dancing in a circle.

Adam looked at her in confusion. "Em, she has her own eyes!"

"Silly Adam," Emma shook her head. "Her eyes LOOK like mine."

Adam looked down at his baby sister. "Em is silly and mean, O-liv-ia."

"I am not!" Emma cried out.

"Adam," Allison admonished. "Em isn't silly and mean."

"Just to me," Adam mumbled.

Jon picked up Emma and spun her around. "Em's a sweetheart who has helped Caroline and Adam since Mummy's been in the hospital."

Emma grinned. "And I'm a lot of fun!"

Jon kissed her cheek. "Yes, you are."

"Can I hold her, Adam?" Caroline asked him.

Adam nodded. "Kay, Sissy."

Caroline sat down next to him and carefully lifted the infant into her arms.

"Hi, Olivia," Caroline said softly. "I'm Caroline, your big sister and I'm really glad that you're finally here."

Olivia yawned and blinked.

Caroline smiled. "It's been a big day for you. But, this is your home and we're going to make you feel happy and safe here. It can be a little crazy sometimes, but it's fun."

"It's LOADS of fun," Emma agreed, leaning over to look at her little sister.

Allison leaned against Jon as the two of them watched their children.

Cho brought Jon a cup of coffee. "They were so excited for you to come home today," she told her daughter.

Allison nodded. "I know. Thanks so much for looking after them these last couple of days, Mum."

"Anytime," Cho smiled.

Allison gave her mother a hug. "You're the best, Mum."

"Mummy!" Adam exclaimed. "She smells funny!"

Jon laughed. "I think I know what that means..."

"I'll take care of it," Allison lifted Olivia into her arms.

"How can something that small do that?" Emma asked her nose scrunching up.

"You did that too," Jon told her.

"And you ate Maxi's food," Adam said.

Emma glared at him. "You're a big dumb head."

"Okay," Jon said stepping between them. "How about we go and finish breakfast then?"

"I'm going to eat some toast," Emma said, distracted by the mention of food.

Emma and Adam followed Cho into the kitchen. Caroline gave her father a hug. "They actually were getting along these last couple of days, Daddy," Caroline told him.

Jon smiled at her. "I bet that was a relief for you, Angel."

Caroline giggled. "Just a little."

"I don't know what we'll do without you here this autumn," Jon hugged her. "I can't believe my little girl is heading off to school."

"Me either," Caroline said resting her head on his shoulder. "I'm going to miss you all so much."

"You'll have fun," Jon told her.

"Like you did?" Caroline asked.

"I made sure I had fun," Jon said. "Your mum was the one who made me hunker down and study."

"I heard you were a legend," Caroline teased. "Got in trouble so much your first year that they were thinking of putting your bed in the headmaster's office..."

Jon nodded. "I had Filch running from top to bottom of the castle one night too."

"Really?" Caroline asked.

Jon laughed. "And my most famous prank- making Snape dance."

Caroline giggled. "Daddy!"

Jon grinned at her. "Maybe if you play your cards right, you'll be the first person since me to do it again."
"Jonathan Weasley," Allison came into the room. "You will not be sending our daughter off to school armed with all sorts of pranks to play."

"I wasn't---" Jon started to argue.

Allison gave him a look.

"Okay," Jon said sending her a lazy grin. "Your mum's right, Caroline. There's a time and place for pranks and school isn't the right place for those..."

Caroline swallowed a grin. "Okay, Daddy."

Allison shook her head. "I put Olivia down."

"Then you can come sit in the kitchen with us," Caroline said. "For the first time!

Allison laughed. "I hadn't thought about that, but you're right!"

Caroline tugged at her hand. "It's a really nice kitchen."

Allison smiled at her. "Show me, Angel."

"I cooked on the stove last night," Caroline said. "Grandma helped me, of course, but I got to do most of it."

"She did good!" Emma called out from the table.

"Emma ate a lot," Caroline whispered. "As usual."

"Well, then we know it was delicious then," Allison said squeezing Caroline's shoulder. She looked around at the kitchen. "Wow..."

"It's a lot bigger than our old one," Caroline said,

Allison knew that because it had been one of the things she'd loved most about the house.

"Well," she said. "Now that I'm home and I can be up and about, I'll have to make us a great dinner."

"YAY!" Adam exclaimed.

Jon laughed. "I'll second that yay. I miss your cooking, Al."

"Well, you did lovely taking care of the cooking while I was on bed rest," Allison said smiling at him. "But, I'm looking forward to getting back to it and eventually to going back to the pub."

"We miss you there too," Jon told his wife. "Hasn't quite been the same."

"Me and Olivia get Mummy all to ourselves," Adam said looking at Emma. "While Em in school."

"I don't have to go to school," Emma said slyly.

"Excuse me, madam?" Allison asked. "Yes, you do. You only have a few weeks left, mind you, but you still have to go."

"Why?" Emma asked.

"Well, you have to learn how to read and write and do your maths," Allison said. "So when you go to Hogwarts, you'll be able to read your textbooks and perform the spells."

"I guess," Emma replied.

"Before you know it, summer hols will be here," Caroline told her.

"And once Caroline goes to school, you'll be the oldest around here," Cho told her.

Emma perked up at the mention of this. "I'll be....in charge!"

"No!" Adam shouted.

"You better straighten up and fly right, mister!" Emma said, wagging her finger at him. "Or you'll be out!"

"Mummy!" Adam looked over at her pleadingly.

"Emma Madeline!" Allison chastised.

"I was ONLY kidding," Emma said, reaching for another piece of toast.

Adam slid out of his chair and ran over to Allison. She scooped him up and hugged him. "It's okay, buddy."

"Emma Madeline," Jon said. "Be nice to your brother."

Adam buried his face in Allison's shoulder. "Emma's not going to be in charge, Adam. That role has always been and always will be your daddy and mine's."

"Kay," Adam said, reassured.

Allison kissed the top of his head. "Want to help Mummy eat her toast?" Allison asked him.

"Okay," Adam grinned up at her.

Allison grinned back at him. "I missed you. I missed all of you. Thank you for being so patient with me."

"Its okay Mummy," Caroline said. "We love you and we're all just happy you and Olivia are okay."

Allison felt tears welling up in her eyes. "Thank you, baby."

"I was going to say that too," Emma replied.

Jon laughed. "We know, Em."

"When can Olivia play?" Adam asked.

"It's going to be awhile," Allison told him. "And she's really small so we have to be really careful with her."

"Oh," Adam said thoughtfully. "I'll watch out for her, kay?"

Allison smiled. "Thanks, buddy."

"Be careful," Adam promised.

Caroline looked around the room and felt as if a weight had been lifted off her shoulders. Olivia was here and she was healthy. Their mother was home and on her feet.

"I think we should have movie night tonight," Emma was saying. "With Olivia."

"I like that," Caroline said.

"Me too," Jon replied. "We'll go out and get a few new movies today, all right?"

Cho smiled. "I think I'll be heading home then. You lot look like you're going to be just fine."

"Thanks again for staying, Mum." Allison set Adam aside and stood up to hug her mother. "We really appreciate it."

"Absolutely," Cho said. "I loved spending time with them and Olivia's just adorable, Allie."

"We'll bring her by soon to meet everyone," Allison promised.

"Your dad's making spaghetti tonight," Cho said to her. "He'll bring some by for all of you."

"YUMMY!" Emma shouted happily.

Everyone laughed at this.

"I'll see you later," Cho smiled before letting herself out.

Allison sat back down with her family. Raising a fourth child was going to be hard, but she knew that they would get through it together.

326. Chapter 326 The Truth Shall Set You Free

Authors' note: Much happening in this chapter---you get Liam and Darla; Frank Longbottom has a surprise for Harry and Ginny finally finds out what's going on with her husband. We hope you enjoy the chapter and just ask that you review at the end to let us know what you thought! Thanks so much for reading!

Hans had moved into his own place and had taken Rafe for the weekend. Not wanting to be home by herself, Darla had taken Liam up on his offer of a movie and coffee afterwards. They were slowly but surely repairing their friendship, and though it felt so soon, Darla couldn't help but see him in a different way.

He was at the counter placing their coffee orders and Darla leaned back in her chair, watching him. He seemed happier than he had in awhile.

They had talked a little bit about what was going on with his family, but Darla didn't want to bring up what was obviously a very sore subject.

He came back over to the table with their coffees and some biscuits.

"That looks delicious," Darla smiled at him. "Thank you."

"No problem," Liam said with a grin.

"It's nice to get out for an evening," Darla said. "Drew and I are so busy with the last minute details for Saffron's wedding."

Liam nodded. "I know what you mean. Well, not about planning a wedding. But, Lizzy forced me to take a couple days off and it's actually been nice to have a lie in."

Darla nodded. "I can imagine."

"You should take some time off after Saffron's wedding," Liam told her.

"Maybe I will," Darla mused. "I wonder what I'll do..." she hinted.

Liam laughed. "Oh, I'm sure you'll think of something..."

"Right," Darla sat back. "So um... how's your mum? And your brother?"

"Connor’s fine," Liam said. "And my mother---she's coping."

"Everything's still the same?" she asked carefully.

Liam nodded. "But, Conor and I told her that we're here if she ever needs us. That's the best we can do, I guess. We can't make her stay away from him."

"I suppose not," Darla replied.

Liam looked at her. "So, how about you? How are things with Hans?"

"We're staying on good terms," Darla replied.

"That's good," Liam said thoughtfully. "Especially for Rafe."

"More for when he gets older," Darla nodded. "I think it's important that he doesn't see Hans and I fight."

"He's a great kid," Liam said.

Darla smiled. "I'm biased, but I happen to agree. And he's crazy about you, you know."

Liam grinned and puffed out his chest. "Well, you know...what's not to love?"

Darla laughed. "You got me..."

Liam and Darla both reached for a biscuit at the same time and their hands brushed against each other. Liam smiled. "Sorry---"

"It's okay," Darla murmured, blushing.

They sat in companionable silence for a few moments, drinking their coffees and eating biscuits. "Um, the worst part about the wedding is going to be seeing my Great Aunt Muriel. Your remember me telling you about her, right? She's never been married, but she's of course completely incensed that one of her family is divorced. I think she'd have been okay if I'd come down with the plague instead."

"I'm sure it won't be that bad," Liam replied.

"Oh, wait until you meet her," Darla said rolling her eyes. "The most judgmental, negative woman on the planet."

"Why did you invite her?" Liam asked, amused. "If it's a Potter wedding?"

"She's my nana's sister," Darla said. "And, since Nana's like a grandmother to Saffron, Muriel begged for an invite. Of course, she'll talk about how the decorations are too much and how this all must be costing a fortune and if she were getting married; she'd want something much smaller. That's the way she acted at my--my wedding."

Liam nodded. "I'm sure you'll be able to avoid her by staying busy."

"That's what Drew says," Darla said. "And speaking of the wedding, I was wondering if perhaps..."

"What?" Liam asked when she paused.

"Well, if you weren't doing anything that weekend, if you might want to go with me to the wedding," Darla continued.

"You want me to be your date?" Liam asked, surprised.

Darla blushed. "Um, well, not really a date per se..."

"Oh," Liam felt like an idiot. "Of course. We'll just have a fun time as friends..."

"Unless," Darla said, biting her lip.

"Unless, you wanted it to be a date," Darla said, looking at him.

He gazed at her in shock for a moment. His feelings for her had never gone away, but for a long time he'd refused to acknowledge them due to their situations.

Darla put her head in her hands. "Sorry! Just forget I said that. No date...just friends."

"If that's what you want..." he replied.

Darla looked up at him. "Just rewind the last five minutes and we can start over."

"It's all right," he told her. "If... you wanted it to be a date I wouldn't mind."

Darla smiled. "Really?"

"Sure," Liam said. "It would be fun."

"I think so too," Darla said softly. "Our first date."

"Just a first?" he asked carefully.

Darla laughed. "First of many?"

"I like the sound of that," Liam reached for her hand.

Darla put her hand in his. It felt...nice.

"I suppose this means I'll have to get myself a set of dress robes," Liam said ruefully.

Darla looked at him in surprise. "You don't have a set?"

"I borrowed the ones I wore to that ball," he confessed.

Darla squeezed his hand. "You looked quite handsome that night."

"I thought you looked beautiful," he said truthfully.

Darla blushed as she recalled that evening's events. Those awful comments those nurses had made and how she had run away.

He smiled at her. "You know... I thought about you an awful lot when we weren't talking."

"You did?" Darla asked.

"It's like part of me knew I wasn't treating you the way you deserve to be treated," he admitted. "And the other part of me was so pissed off at what was happening that I had to take it out on someone."

"I just wanted to be there for you," Darla said. "I wasn't trying to pry."

"I know," Liam said. "I knew that all the time. And I owe you an apology for the way I behaved."

"You don't have to keep apologising," Darla said, squeezing his hand.

"I just want you to know," he said.

"And I want you to know that I missed you too when we weren't talking," Darla said. "So did Rafe."

Liam nodded. "You're my best friend, Dar."

Darla smiled at him. "You're mine, too."

He squeezed her hand, happy that finally things were cleared between them.

He'd been denying how he felt for so long, it was nice to finally be honest not just with her, but with himself. "You sure you're not just using me to stick it to your great aunt?" he asked teasingly.

Darla laughed. "I'd have had to find myself a hobo off the streets by Piccadilly to stick it to her."

"There's still time," Liam said chuckling.

"Maybe we should muss you up a bit," Darla laughed. "Smudge a little grease on your face..."

"Oh really?" Liam asked with a grin. "Just a little grease?"

"Oh a little," Darla said. "Here... and here..."

"Watch it, Weasley," Liam said ducking out of the way of her hand.

"I think you'd look good a little mussed up," Darla said.

Liam laughed again as Darla reached across the table again, this time to muss his hair. He grinned. "So, what's the verdict?"

"Even better," she said, the corners of her mouth tugging upwards.

"I'm glad you approve," Liam said.

"You should wear it like that more often," Darla told him.

"Oh, you're a fan of the just got out of bed look then?" Liam asked.

Darla laughed. "Maybe."

"Well, I might have to start wearing it like this then," Liam grinned. Darla was about to say something when she thought she saw two familiar faces at the counter. They caught her looking and the redhead nudged the blonde and the two women made a quick retreat out of the coffee shoppe. "Um," Darla said letting go of Liam's hand. "I'll---I'll be right back. Just have to go to the loo."

"Okay--" Liam watched as she shot out of her seat.

Darla headed out the front door and looked down the street for any sign of her two sisters. She would have thought this was a coincidence but this was a Muggle coffee shoppe and it wasn't near Maddie or Drew's homes.

"Fine," she muttered to herself, ducking into an alley and grabbing her wand. She Apparated to Drew's house.

"Drew!" Darla called out. "Maddie!"

Her sister poked her head out of her kitchen. "Dar?"

"Don't 'Dar' me," Darla said. "Where's your partner in crime?"

"What are you talking about?" Drew asked innocently.

"If you and Maddie were considering careers as Aurors I'd think again," Darla said folding her arms. "You're not very stealthy. Come on out, Madeline Molly!"

"Hi Darla," her younger sister said. "Drew and I were just enjoying a cup of coffee in the kitchen--"

"As opposed to enjoying it at the coffee shoppe Liam and I were just at?" Darla asked, levelling her gaze at her younger sister.

"I don't know what you're talking about," Maddie said, the picture of innocence.

"I'll ask you again," Darla said. "Why were the two of you spying on me?"

Drew and Maddie looked at each other.

"Would you like a cup of coffee?" Maddie asked Darla. "Or tea?"

"No!" Darla exclaimed. "What the bloody hell, you two?"

"Um, well, we weren't really spying," Drew finally confessed.

Darla crossed her arms.

Maddie bit her bottom lip. "We were just checking on you to make sure you were okay. I mean, this is your first date since the divorce..."

"It's not a date," Darla argued.

"You were holding hands," Maddie pointed out.

"And you were playing with his hair," Drew chimed in.

"You WERE spying," Darla pointed out.

"You two were adorable," Drew said grinning at her sister. "You should see the way he looks at you..."

"Oh Merlin," Darla groaned. "I cannot BELIEVE you two came there to spy!"

"We had good intentions," Maddie said hastily.

"I'm just out having a nice time with a friend," Darla stressed.

"A friend you left work early for to buy a new outfit?" Drew asked pointedly.

Darla rolled her eyes.

"You look beautiful, by the way," Maddie said softly.

"Thanks," Darla said. "But really. I'm out with Liam as a friend."

"You think he looks hot though, right?" Drew asked, nudging her twin.

"Drew!" Darla exclaimed, blushing. "How old are you? Thirteen?"

"I just want you to be happy," Drew said hastily.

"I am happy," Darla said. "Liam's my best friend, Drew."

"I thought I was," Drew teased.

Darla shook her head and laughed. "What am I going to do with you two?"

"Forgive us," Maddie said, putting an arm around her. "We just wanted to make sure you were having a good time."

"I was," Darla said. "Oh! Oh no! I just left Liam!"

Drew and Maddie laughed as Darla dashed out of the kitchen.

Darla hoped he had not left her or thought that she had left him. She was going to deal with her well-meaning, meddlesome sisters later.

She Apparated back to the coffee shop. "Sorry about that," she said with a smile.

"Everything okay?" Liam asked.

"Just fine," Darla nodded.

"You left so suddenly---" Liam started to say.

Darla sighed and sat back. "My two sisters decided to spy on us."

Liam raised an eyebrow. "Really?"

Darla shook her head. "Meddlers."

"That must have been why your brothers were here a minute ago," Liam said.

"What?" Darla's eyes bugged out.

"The three of them were just here a minute ago," Liam told her. "They thought I didn't see them..."

"My siblings are not the stealthiest individuals," Darla shook her head. "I'm sorry. They've never been like this before."

Liam laughed. "It's okay. They care about you. You're very lucky."

"I suppose you're right," Darla smiled at him.

"What was that?" Liam asked with a grin.

"Don't let it go to your head!" Darla exclaimed, laughing.

In the corner of the coffee shoppe, RJ nudged Jon. "I think she's okay."

"I know." Jon nudged him back, hard.

"Ow!" RJ yelped. "Watch it! I have a match this weekend!"

"Junior you're such a wuss," Jon said scornfully.

Jon suddenly felt someone grab hold of his ear. "OW!"

"I'm going to give you lot two seconds to get out of here or I'm going to hurt you," Darla said through clenched teeth.

"What?" Josh asked. "We can't just have coffee?"

"Here of all places?" Darla asked, yanking on Jon's ear again.

"Oy!" Jon yelped. "Could---could you let go?"

"Not until you get out of here!" Darla said angrily. "As if Drew and Maddie weren't bad enough!"

"Okay," Jon said. "We were just concerned is all."

"I. Am. Fine." Darla said. "Now go."

"Going," RJ said stepping backward. "Come on, guys."

Darla glared at them until they had closed the door behind them. "Jerks," she muttered sitting back down.

Liam reached for her hand. "Your mum and dad going to be next? Grandparents? Great Aunt Muriel?"

"I wouldn't be surprised," Darla answered. "Honestly..."

"Want to get out of here?" Liam asked her.

"Before the rest of them show up?" Darla asked. "Yes."

Liam offered her his hand.

She smiled as she took it and he helped her up.

Liam's gaze lingered on her face.

"I had fun tonight," Darla said as he held the door open for her.

"Me too," Liam agreed.

"And I'm very glad we're friends again," Darla continued.

"I'm glad you're willing to forgive me," Liam said.

"Everyone has their bad times," Darla said. "But we just have to learn how to deal with them."

"Without pushing the ones you care about away," Liam commented.

"Right," Darla squeezed his hand.

She kept her hand in his as he walked her back home. She had an argument with herself about whether or not he would kiss her good night or if she should kiss him good night.

He unknowingly made her mind up for her. He leaned in and gave her a kiss on the cheek. "I’ll talk to you tomorrow, Dar."

"Good night, Liam," Darla said softly, leaning against the door.

Liam sent her one last smile before rumpling his hair again, making her laugh. "Night, Darla."

Darla smiled as she watched him disappear down the steps. "Definitely a date," she said softly. "Definitely a date."

*** *** ***

Nick watched as his father slept. He had spent nearly every free moment here. He had put off recording his album to oversee his father’s final will. It still blew his mind that he was actually having a relationship with his father. They were not close, but they had found some common ground. Draco had confessed some things about his childhood that made Nick understand the man his father had become.

The healers were not optimistic about Draco's condition. It was a matter of time, they said. Nick had finally managed to get his father's approval to let his mother know. Nick had sent her an owl asking her to meet him at St. Mungos. A part of him wondered if she would even show up. He had not told her why he wanted to see her in the letter, only that she needed to come as soon as possible.

He sat back in the chair, a dull feeling in the pit of his stomach. He hadn't seen his mother since her drunken escapade at Christmas.

"I'm sorry to interrupt," a nurse said to him. "But, there's a Mrs. Malfoy at the desk. She's asking for you."

Nick sighed. He looked over at his sleeping father. "If he wakes, can you tell him I just stepped out for a moment?" he asked the nurse.

"Of course," the nurse nodded. With trepidation, Nick went out to greet his mother.

"Nicholas!" Ginny exclaimed, rolling her eyes. "This had better be good. I put off a very appointment lunch for this and a manicure!"

He drew in a sharp breath. "You need to come with me."

"Where?" Ginny asked impatiently.

Nick turned without a word and headed down the corridor. "Have you missed your husband at all?" he asked.

Ginny waved her hand dismissively. "He's on some case...somewhere. Why?"

"How long has it been since you've seen him?" Nick demanded.

Ginny sighed. "A few weeks..."

"And you haven't noticed that he looks different, or is acting different?" Nick asked.

"Well, I haven't seen him for a few weeks, have I?" Ginny asked as if the answer should have been obvious.

"In the past MONTHS you haven't noticed him looking different?" Nick asked impatiently. "Mother, are you that self centred?"

Ginny rolled her eyes. "Nicholas, I did not come here to be insulted!'

Nick closed his eyes for a moment. "Come on, Mother."

Nick opened the door to his father's room.

Ginny sighed again before following her son in. "What is going ON, Nicholas?"

Nick stepped back so she could see Draco.

Ginny's jaw dropped as she took in the sight of her husband. "What happened to him?"

"He's dying," Nick said quietly. "Lung cancer."

"Since when?" Ginny asked.

"He's known for awhile," Nick said. "He told me and I've been looking after him since he's been in hospital."

"Why didn't he tell ME?" Ginny whined.

"Because he wanted to spend his last few days in peace, I imagine," Nick muttered.

"You mean he only has a few days left?" Ginny gasped.

Nick nodded. He suddenly felt pity toward his mother and he put his hand on her shoulder.

"What's going to happen to me?" Ginny moaned.

Nick stared at her incredulously. "What?"

"Who will take care of me when he dies?" Ginny asked.

Draco opened his eyes and coughed. "Red," he said weakly.

"Why didn't you TELL me you were sick?" Ginny charged to his bedside.

"Nicholas, help me sit up," Draco said ignoring her.

Nick pushed past his mother and pushed up the pillows behind his father. "How's that?"

Draco nodded. "T-thank you, son."

"How about some water?" Nick asked him.

"Draco," Ginny said, reaching for his hand. "Why on earth would you not tell me about this? I--I just don't know what I'm going to do!"

"Right," Draco managed. "Because this is all about you, Red."

Nick poured his father a glass of water and handed it to him. "Careful, Dad."

Draco nodded as he drank it slowly.

"Do you want me to get the healer?" Nick asked him.

"No," Draco replied. "I'm all right."

"I told you that you should quit smoking," Ginny told him. "It's an awful habit and now look at you..."

"Because you're the picture of perfect health," Nick said sarcastically.

"Yeah," Draco said handing Nick the glass. "Tell Nicholas about that masseuse of yours, Alejandro."

Ginny's face turned red. "What about him?"

"Yes," Draco said glaring at her. "What about him?"

"I don't know what you're talking about," Ginny looked away from him.

"What's going on, Dad?" Nick asked. His father had not mentioned anything about this.

"Oh, Ginevra thought I didn't know," Draco continued. "Sneaking around with a boy younger than her own son."

Nick gaped at his mother.

"You've had me followed?" Ginny asked angrily.

"I've had a private detective follow you around," Draco snapped at her. "He had photographs. After all that I did for you---"

Ginny shook her head. "No..."

"That's disgusting, mother." Nick said disdainfully.

"It's not true!" Ginny exclaimed. "Alejandro is just a friend."

"Just a friend," Draco muttered, coughing again.

Nick handed his father a fresh glass of water.

"Thank you," Draco said, still glaring at his wife.

Draco downed the glass of water and looked at his wife. "You could learn something from Nicholas, Ginevra."

Ginny glared at both her husband and son.

"Draco, I haven't cheated on you," Ginny told him. "But, I find it rich that you're calling me out on that. How many women were YOU with?"

"I never cheated on you," Draco said. "Not once."

"Right," Ginny scoffed.

"I didn't," Draco said. "I worked long hours so you could have anything you wanted."

Nick could probably hear the wheels turning in his mother's mind.

"You were neglectful," Ginny said.

Draco started to laugh which set him off into a coughing fit.

"Dad just take some deep breaths," Nick said anxiously.

Draco struggled to catch his breath. He pointed at some papers beside his bed. He finally settled down. "I've--I've made some changes to my will. My attorney was here earlier..."

Ginny snatched the papers out from under his hand.

She read through the legal terms and saw that her husband was leaving their art collection to Ashley Beth Malfoy. She read over where he was leaving a substantial part of his fortune to Katherine Rose Malfoy. She also saw an unfamiliar name in the bequests. "Who's Chiaki?" Ginny asked angrily. "One of your mistresses?"

Nick groaned. "My half sister, Mother. Chiaki is Cho's daughter."

"You're leaving HER money?" Ginny asked Draco.

"The rest of my money, actually." Draco leaned back on the pillows.

"Aside from what I leave Nicholas, of course."

Ginny scanned through the rest of the will looking desperately for her name. "Draco?"

Draco looked back at her evenly.

"I'm not in this," Ginny told him.

"It's a good thing you're sober when you read this," Draco returned. "I want you to remember this moment."

"I'm your wife!" Ginny exclaimed.

"An unfaithful wife," Draco said. "If you hadn't strayed--"

"I didn't!" Ginny argued.

"My attorney has the proof," Draco said. "So if you try to argue this, it won't do you any good."

Ginny threw the papers at him. "You're cruel and you're horrible! I gave up EVERYTHING for you!"

"Mother that's a little dramatic don't you think?" Nick asked.

"She's good at that," Draco commented. "Red...always loved being dramatic."

"How could you DO this?" Ginny wailed. "What am I supposed to do?"

"Maybe your little boy toy can help you with that," Draco said glaring at her. "I want you out of my house. You might have missed it, but the house is going to be sold and the profit will go to Greta."

"WHAT?" Ginny screeched. "That old hag?"

"Mother!" Nicholas warned.

Nick warned.

"You keep out of this Nicholas," Ginny said, her voice shrill.

"I've done some horrible things in my time," Draco said. "But, I'm trying to make up for it in some way."

"Well this is the WORST!" Ginny snapped. "I'm your wife and I deserve to be treated as such!"

"Nicholas, see her out, won't you?" Draco asked.

Nick opened the door. "Good luck, Mother."

Ginny put her hand on Nick's shoulder. "Nicholas, you---you have to talk to him."

"I don't think so, Mother." Nick replied.

Ginny glared at him. "So, this is how it is?"

"You did it to yourself, Mother." Nick told her.

Ginny stalked out of the room, slamming the door behind her.

"Good riddance," Draco said, erupting into another coughing fit.

Nick hurried to his father's side. "It's okay, Dad."

"I know," Draco managed.

"How long has she been seeing this bloke?" Nick asked, helping his father settle down.

"Almost a year," Draco said.

Nick shook his head as he sat back down.

"I should have divorced her," Draco said. "But once I found out about my cancer, I figured this would hit where it hurts."

"I'd say mission accomplished," Nick said.

Draco lay back and closed his eyes. "I'm tired."

"Get some sleep," Nick told him. "I'll be here."

Draco nodded. "Just promise me you'll watch my affairs for me, Nicholas."

"I will," Nick promised.

"You're a good man," Draco closed his eyes again.

Nick leaned back in his chair and watched his father.

The change brought about in his sickness had stunned Nick. He couldn't believe that they actually seemed like a real father and son now.

It was a shame, Nick thought, that something like this, had brought them together. Nick knew it was unlikely, but he was hoping for a miracle and that somehow his father would survive this.

*** *** ***

Harry and Hermione had rarely had a moment's rest given the preparations for the wedding and the responsibilities of their daily jobs. Time alone had also been rare and they'd had schedule a lunch in Harry's office.

"And the decorators are coming by this evening to finish the ballroom," Hermione said. "And the florist is dropping the flowers off in the morning."

Harry nodded. "The wedding of the century..."

Hermione smiled wryly. "That's what the papers are calling it."

Harry laughed. "That's what they called OUR wedding, too."

"We're out," Hermione waved her hand dismissively. "Saffron and Andrew are in."

Harry clutched his heart. "In one day and out the next. The press sure is a fickle group..."

Hermione laughed. "You're always in for me."

Harry grinned. "All this and your leftover lasagne...does it get better than this?"

"Now that I can cook, yes." Hermione said. "I’m no expert, but I can make a meal without burning it."

"One of your many hidden talents," Harry said winking at her.

"I have many more that only you know about," Hermione said, moving closer to him.

There was a knock on the door and Harry groaned. "What part of I didn't want to be disturbed was hard for them to understand?" Harry asked.

"Well go get rid of them then," Hermione whispered in his ear.

Harry nodded and gave her a quick kiss before he stood up. He opened his door prepared to unleash his annoyance on the interloper, but his anger faded when he saw Frank Longbottom. "Hello, Frank."

"Harry," Frank said with a grin. "I hope you're not busy..."

"Of course not," Hermione called out from behind Harry. "We were just having lunch. Would you care to join us? We have plenty."

"Oh, Minister," Frank said. "I didn't know you were here."

Hermione smiled at him. "Frank, please call me Hermione."

"Of course," Frank nodded respectfully. "I apologise--"

"She only makes me call her 'Minister'," Harry joked. "Come on inside. Have a seat."

"Thank you," Frank said. "I have something for you, Harry."

"Oh?" Harry asked, sitting back down.

Frank put a large bowl on the table. "Neville had a Pensieve brought down for me to use. I thought I'd put some of my memories of your parents in here for you to see."

Harry gaped at him. "W-what?"

"Is that all right with you?" Frank asked.

Harry nodded eagerly. "Yes..."

"This is quite lovely," Hermione said. "Harry's always wondered about his parents."

"James was like a brother to me," Frank said. "It's the least I could do."

"Thank you," Harry said sincerely. "You have no idea how much this means to me."

Hermione squeezed Harry's hand.

"It's my pleasure," Frank assured him. "I've got a good one in mind for you..."

Harry watched as Frank tapped his wand to his head and transferred a memory to the pensieve.

He swallowed the lump in his throat and they all leaned in to watch.

Harry saw what looked to be a waiting room and saw a much younger Frank Longbottom sitting on a sofa while a raven haired man paced in front of him.

"James, you're going to wear a path into the carpet," Frank said to the man. "I wasn't this bad yesterday when Alice was in labour with little Neville."

"I should be in there," James said. "Why won't they let me go in?"

"Lily's fine," Frank tried to reassure him.

"I should be in there," James shook his head. "Screw the healers."

"James!" Frank exclaimed, watching in horror as his friend pushed through the set of double doors leading to the examination rooms.

"Lily!" James called out.

Frank hurried to catch up to him. "James!" he hissed.

"I want to be in there when my child is born," James said.

A nurse came out of one of the rooms. "For Merlin's sake! Keep your voice down, sir!"

"LILY!" James bellowed.

"I take it your Mr. Potter then?" the woman asked impatiently. "Your wife has been asking for you..."

"She has?" James asked. "Where is she?"

The woman sighed. "Right this way."

James pushed past her when she showed him Lily's room. "Lil!" he said. "What's going on? Is the baby here? Why wouldn't they let me in?"

Lily's forehead was covered in sweat and her cheeks were red. She looked absolutely exhausted. "They say I'm ready to push...but I'm so knackered, James. I--I can't do it."

James was at her bedside in an instant. "Of course you can do it, Lil."

Lily shook her head. "Can't..."

"Yes you can," he squeezed her hand. "I can't wait to meet our child."

The healer looked at Lily. "Lily, we need a good push now. Okay?"

"I'll try," Lily mustered up her strength.

James squeezed her hand. "You can do it, Lil."

Lily bared her teeth and pushed- feeling as if her insides were being ripped apart.

James winced at how hard his wife was squeezing his hand. The healer again looked up at her. "Lily, that was good. I need one more..."

"No," Lily whimpered.

"You can do it," James said encouragingly.

Lily closed her eyes and gathered her strength. A cry ripped through the room that was not her own.

James kissed her. "You did it, Lily!"

"Is it a boy?" she asked breathlessly. "Or a girl?"

The healer smiled at the couple. "It's a healthy boy."

"A boy," Lily sobbed.

The healer handed the baby off to a nurse. "After we clean him up, you can hold him."

"Hurry, please." James said.

James gave Lily a kiss. "You did it, Lily."

Lily nodded as she wiped at her forehead.

James turned around and grinned at Frank. "Mate, I have a son!"

"Congratulations," Frank smiled at him.

The nurse brought the new baby over to his happy parents.

"Hello, Harry James." Lily crooned the name she and James had chosen.

The baby smacked his lips and looked up at Lily with wide eyes.

"Little man," James said affectionately. "Look at all that black hair."

"And it's messed up just like yours," Lily said softly.

"It's a good look," James said. "One day it'll be in style."

Lily let out a tired laugh. "Look, James. He has my eyes."

"Yeah," James grinned at his son. "He's perfect."

"Do you want to hold him?" Lily asked.

"Sure," James replied.

Lily smiled at her son. "Harry James Potter, meet your father."

"Hi," James said, carefully cradling the tiny boy in his arms.

The baby looked up at him and tears welled in James' eyes. "Harry James," he said, his voice breaking. "My boy..."

"Its okay, James," Lily said gently.

James used his free hand to wipe the tear from his cheek. "This isn't exactly the safest time to bring a child into this world, but I'm going to do everything I can to keep you and your mum safe, Harry. I promise."

In the present, Harry was having a hard time keeping his own tears at bay. Hermione rubbed his shoulder comfortingly.

"That was the happiest I'd ever seen him," Frank said. "And the proudest."

Harry nodded, unable to vocalize his thoughts at the moment.

"I was just happy I was there to see it so I could show it to you," Frank said.

"Thank you," Harry managed.

"It was my pleasure," Frank said.

"Being able to see my parents means a lot to me," Harry said.

Frank nodded and patted Harry on the back. "I know."

"We appreciate you and Alice doing this," Hermione told him. "It's lovely to finally really get to see James and Lily."

"They were wonderful people and great friends," Frank said, wiping at his eyes.

"It certainly seems so," Hermione agreed. "I wish I'd gotten the chance to know them."

"Thank you so much for this, Frank," Harry said giving the older gentleman a hug.

"We'll do more another day," Frank promised.

"I'd like that," Harry said.

"I should get this back to Neville," Frank replaced the memory.

"We'll see you and Alice at the wedding?" Hermione asked him.

"We're looking forward to that," Frank replied.

Frank saw himself out and Harry sank back down onto the sofa. The images of his parents playing in his head.

"Are you all right?" Hermione asked softly.

Harry nodded. "Yeah, it was just amazing to see them."

"It was," Hermione agreed.

"They both looked really happy, didn't they?" Harry asked.

"They were ecstatic," Hermione replied. "I'm sure that was the best day of their lives."

Harry put his arms around Hermione and hugged her tightly. He was happy that his wife had the chance to see that memory, too.

Hermione rubbed his back in a comforting pattern. "I love you."

"Love you too," Harry said softly.

"You've got to gear yourself up for the wedding," Hermione told him.

Harry smiled. "Save my tears for that you mean?"

"You might need them," Hermione nuzzled his cheek.

"Probably will," Harry said.

"We'll do all right," Hermione promised.

Harry gave her a kiss. "We always do."

327. Chapter 327 At Last

Authors' note: Tonight's chapter finds us at the long-awaited Saffron and Andrew wedding. We hope you guys enjoy it and we please ask that you take a few moments after reading to let us know what you think. We want the feedback!

Andrew stood fidgeting under the garden archway as music wafted over the crowd of guests seated in front of him. After what felt like forever, it was finally his wedding day. He waited anxiously to get his first glimpse of Saffron, who he hadn't seen since the previous afternoon.

He smiled along with the rest of the crowd as little Chloe McGregor walked down the aisle with her basket of rose petals. Andrew chuckled as Chloe did a little twirl at the end of the aisle.

Next, Ashley and Katie came forward together. Normally Katie would have revelled in having every eye on her, but at the moment, none of that seemed to matter. She kept her smile pasted on her face though.

Her grandfather's death had happened a couple of weeks ago, but it still pained her to think about it. She was trying to remember what her mother kept telling her. At least, he was at peace and was no longer in any pain.

Ashley touched her arm gently as they moved over to stand opposite of Andrew.

Julie and Alexa stood with Saffron as they waited their turns to walk down the aisle. "You look absolutely gorgeous," Julie told her sister.

"Thanks Jules," Saffron said. "I can't wait to get up there."

Julie motioned to where Harry was standing just off to the side. "Think he's going to be okay?" she whispered to Saffron.

"I imagine this is hard for him," Saffron said softly.

Julie saw that it was now her turn. She gave her sister's hand a squeeze before making her way down the aisle, leaving Alexa, Saffron and Harry.

"I just can't believe you're about to get married," Alexa said, fighting back a few tears.

"Lexie, don't you start," Saffron said. "Or I'll start too!"

"Or I will," Harry joked.

Alexa laughed. "We don't want that, Mr. Potter."

"My eyeliner might run," Harry said with a straight face.

"Daddy," Saffron said with a giggle. "You are NOT wearing eyeliner!"

"I'd better go and put some on then," Harry said grinning at her.

"There's no time for that," Saffron laughed as Alexa began her way down towards the front.

Harry looked at his daughter. "Sweetheart, you look absolutely beautiful."

"Thank you," Saffron said, sliding her arm into the crook of his. "This is one of the best days of my life."

"Mine too," Harry said.

"Are you ready?" she asked him.

"Shouldn't I ask you that?" Harry returned.

Saffron laughed. "I know I'm ready, Daddy."

"Good," Harry said as they began their slow walk towards the garden archway.

Saffron couldn't wait to see Andrew. It had been hard being away from him last night. But, they had not wanted to tempt fate.

"Finally," RJ mumbled from behind Andrew.

Andrew was about to say something to RJ when he saw his bride. A smile spread over his face.

Saffron wore an identical grin on her face as she spotted Andrew waiting for her. She was not nervous at all. She had never been more sure of anything in her entire life.

Harry kissed his daughter's cheek when they reached the front. "I love you, baby."

"I love you too, Daddy," Saffron said softly.

Harry nodded to Andrew before releasing his youngest daughter's arm.

Saffron handed her bouquet to Alexa and then took Andrew's hand. She looked over at him as the vicar began to talk.

"Who gives this woman to be married?" the vicar asked.

"Her mother and I do," Harry answered before taking his seat next to Hermione.

Saffron looked over at her parents and smiled. The vicar welcomed the guests to the wedding and then spoke about the importance of marriage. Andrew squeezed Saffron's hand.

It seemed like forever before the vicar got to the vows.

"I, Saffron," Saffron said softly. "Take you Andrew, to be my husband, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better or worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and cherish from this day forward til death do us part."

Andrew grinned as Saffron slid the wedding band onto his finger. "I Andrew," he began. "Take you, Saffron, to be my wife." he finished the vows and carefully put her matching wedding ring next to her engagement diamond.

"By the power invested in me," the vicar said. "I pronounce you husband and wife. Andrew, you may kiss your bride."

Andrew swept her up into his arms and gave her quite a passionate kiss.

Saffron was breathless when he broke the kiss.

"Way to go, mate." RJ couldn't resist. "At least now her parents can't kill you."

Andrew laughed. "Sorry, got a little carried away."

"It's quite all right with me," Saffron said, laughing.

"Ladies and gentlemen," the vicar announced. "Mr. and Mrs. Andrew Kirke."

Everyone in the garden cheered as the newlyweds made their way back up the aisle.

RJ linked his arm with Alexa's as they followed their two best friends.

"I can't believe it," he said to her. "They're actually married. Remember when they got together? That was because of me you know."

"They owe everything to you, do they?" Alexa asked grinning at him.

"They do," RJ responded. "This wouldn't be happening right now if I hadn't--"

Alexa nudged him. "Maybe they'll name a son after you."

"I'm going to suggest that," RJ said, going over to them.

Saffron laughed when she saw RJ. "We still have pictures, Junior, before we get to eat."

RJ scooped her up. "I just wanted to say congrats to you both and remind you that you probably wouldn't be here if it weren't for my pushing."

Saffron hugged him tightly. "Thank you, RJ."

RJ kissed her cheek. "All joking aside, I'm really happy for you both. You know that."

"Thanks, RJ," Saffron said beaming at him.

"When are you going to follow suit?" Andrew clapped him on the back.

"I'll keep you posted," RJ said with a grin. "Congratulations mate."

Alexa hugged her best friend tightly. "This is so wonderful, Saffy.... I'll have to get used to calling you Mrs. Kirke now!"

Saffron grinned. "Thanks, Lexie."

Greta stepped through the crowd with Ellie. "Saffy, someone here wanted to give you her congratulations!"

"There's my girl," Saffron eagerly took her daughter. "Thank you for watching her, Greta."

"It was my pleasure," Greta said smiling at her. "You look beautiful, sweetheart."

"Thank you," Saffron grinned.

Andrew made a goofy face at Ellie. The baby yawned in response.

"Even on your wedding day she doesn't find you that interesting," RJ remarked.

Andrew nudged him. "Shut it, you."

"She's just tired," Saffron kissed her daughter's cheek. "She was up late with us last night."

"You going to be able to leave her for your honeymoon?" RJ asked.

"It'll be hard but we'll see her in a week," Saffron hugged Ellie to her.

"My mum and dad will take good care of her," Andrew said.

"Of course they will," Saffron passed Ellie to RJ.

Darla came over to the couple. "Sorry to interrupt, but its photo time."

"Our first one as husband and wife," Saffron said, giving Andrew a kiss.

Andrew grinned and spun her around. "I like the sound of that."

Saffron laughed. "Mr. Kirke, you're making me dizzy."

Darla hurried the couple and their wedding party back toward the altar where the photographer was waiting.

"I'll have the newlyweds in the middle," the photographer said. "With the bridesmaids over there..."

"Come on, Katie," Ashley said to her sister. "Katie..."

"What?" Katie asked distractedly.

"They want us for photos," Ashley said.

"Oh okay," Katie replied.

Ashley put her arm around her sister. "It's okay."

"I don't mean to be a downer," Katie said. "I just can't stop thinking about him."

Ashley nodded. "I know."

"It's just so hard," Katie said quietly.

"At least we were able to get to know him before he died," Ashley said thoughtfully. "

Katie nodded. "I'm glad for that." she followed her sister to where everyone was gathered. Chloe ran up to them. "Look at my flowers!"

"Those are really pretty, Chloe," Katie said. "You did a great job as flower girl."

"Thanks," Chloe spun around. "I look so pretty!"

Katie smiled genuinely. "Yes, you do."

"Ash," Alexa called. "Katie and Chloe- we need you three over here!"

"Come on," Katie said taking the little girl's hand.

Ashley waved to Brittany and Zander who were standing off to one side. She wished she could go hang out with them but knew the sooner they got the pictures done, the sooner the reception could get started.

"I love Ashley's dress," Brittany gushed.

"She looks nice," Zander said, gazing around the gardens.

"And I love Saffron's gown," Brittany said. "When I get married, I want a dress just like that."

"You'll be married like four times," Zander teased her.

"I will not!" Brittany exclaimed.

"Okay, five." Zander conceded.

Brittany rolled her eyes.

"I cannot believe we're at the wedding of the year," she said. "There are SO many famous people here!"

"I know," Zander said. "You could fill the Quidditch World Cup with the players here."

"I wish Evan was here with me," Brittany replied. "It's all soooooo romantic."

This time, Zander rolled his eyes. He had already listened to Brittany comment on everyone's fashions. He wished Evan were here too so he would have someone to talk to about guy things. He looked over at the wedding party and even he had to admit that Ashley looked beautiful.

Darla was happy to stop and take a breath for a moment as the photographer took over the wedding party for a few minutes. It had been a long day, but the payoff had been worth it. Saffron and Andrew's wedding had gone off without a hitch so far and all that remained was the reception. If there was a downside, it was the fact that Liam had missed the wedding.

He had told her he would be there, and after the other day she'd really been looking forward to it.

But, he had been called away on an emergency and had owled her to let her know he would not be able to attend the wedding.

Drew joined her sister and handed her a glass of water. "Thought you could use this."

"Thanks," Darla said. "What a beautiful ceremony."

"Not bad at all," Drew said proudly.

"Saffy's gorgeous," Darla said. "Look at her."

Drew turned and smiled. The smile faded though when she saw the person heading in their direction. "Heads up, Dar. Great-Aunt Muriel straight ahead."

"Oh no," Darla groaned.

Darla was relieved somewhat to see that Nana Molly was with her. Perhaps it would not be that bad.

"She looks charming as always," Drew muttered.

Molly engulfed her two granddaughters in hugs and gushed to them about the beautiful wedding. "I'm so proud of my talented girls!"

"Thanks Nana," Darla said.

"Too many people here, if you ask me," Muriel said disdainfully. "And outside! Should have been in a church..."

"It was a beautiful place and day for an outdoor garden ceremony," Drew said.

"Saffy grew up here," Darla told her. "She wanted to get married here."

"Hm," Muriel said, disapprovingly.

Molly held up her handkerchief. "I cried throughout the whole ceremony."

Drew laughed. "I think Uncle Harry cried harder."

Muriel looked at Darla. "Must have been hard on you, dear."

"It wasn't," Darla replied, determined not to let her great aunt bother her.

Muriel shook her head as if not hearing Darla. "Such a shame..."

Darla cast a look over at her sister and rolled her eyes.

"What's that?" Drew asked sweetly. "That you never married, Aunt Muriel?"

Muriel frowned at Drew. "That's no way to respect your elders, Drew."

"Come along, Muriel," Molly said taking her hand. "We should go to the ballroom."

"This is such an ostentatious place," Muriel said. "Really... entirely too much room."

Molly sent an apologetic look in her granddaughters' direction before leading Muriel away.

"That wasn't as bad as I thought it would be," Darla commented.

"Well, we just have to realise that she does not like anything or anyone," Drew said. "Easy to see why she never married, eh?"

"No man would have her," the sisters said together.

Darla grinned and hugged her sister. "Come on, we have work to do." Drew nodded and turned her attention back to where the photographer was posing Julie, Harry and Hermione.

"Wait," Saffron said. "Where's Ellie?"

"Right here," Ashley said stepping forward with her cousin.

"Thanks," Saffron said gratefully. "It wouldn't be a family photo without her.

Ellie gave Saffron a gummy smile.

"My girl," Saffron said adoringly.

"Okay, Potters," the photographer said. "Let's see some smiles."

Andrew watched his wife and daughter and couldn't help but grin.

His father came up beside him and clapped him on the back. "You're a married man now, son."

"I know," Andrew replied. "It's fantastic."

"We're so happy for you, Andrew," Tricia said. "We've always loved Saffron, you know that."

"I know," Andrew said. "She fits in so well with the family."

Tricia dabbed at her eyes with her handkerchief.

"Mum, you're not losing a son," Andrew said with a grin.

Tricia laughed through her tears. "I'm just so happy."

"I know," Andrew put an arm around his mother. "I am too."

"And she gets to watch her granddaughter while you're on your honeymoon," Andy said.

"We can't wait to have her," Tricia said. "I have your old bedroom all ready."

"This is the first time we've been away from her for so long," Andrew said.

"I'm sure we'll hear from you," Tricia said.

"About a hundred times a day," Andrew joked.

"You and Saffron will enjoy this time with each other," Andy told him. "When it's just the two of you."

Andrew looked over to where his wife and daughter were. "Yeah..."

"Andrew!" Saffron motioned. "We need you!"

Andrew grinned as he walked toward her. "Already taking orders from you..."

"Get used to it," Saffron poked him with her free hand.

"Yeah," Ethan said. "She's really good at bossing people around."

"Ethan James," Hermione admonished. "You be nice to your sister on her wedding day."

"I was just making an observation," Ethan said. "Not an insult."

"Listen to your mother," Harry told him.

"Best wedding present ever," Saffron said with a grin. "Ethan getting in trouble...."

"Brat," Ethan mumbled.

"Okay," the photographer said laughing. "Let's get the groom in here with the Potters and then we'll take one with the bride and the Kirkes."

"Let me take her," Andrew said, lifting his daughter into his arms.

Just off to the side, RJ and Alexa watched. "How many pictures are they going to take?" RJ asked. "Lex, I'm starving."

"Oh relax," Alexa said. "Audrey should be right back. She said she was going to grab you a little plate with some appetizers."

RJ patted his stomach. "I have regular feeding times, O'Leary."

Alexa laughed. "Don't I know it?"

RJ tugged at his tie. "And I hate these things. Haven't worn one since my Hogwarts days..."

"You don't have to keep it on much longer," Alexa pulled his hand away from it. "Once they're done with Andrew's family pictures, we'll be finished."

RJ nodded. "And Andrew can show Saffy his fancy footwork."

"Shhhh," Alexa said. "She's got the sharpest hearing, you know."

"Right," RJ said as Audrey came over to them, carrying a plate. "Oh, you are a lifesaver, Aud."

"I know you too well," Audrey said wryly. "It's feeding time at the zoo."

"Good thing you're here," Alexa teased. "I was worried he was about to turn cannibal."

Audrey grinned. "I had to fight your father for this," she said to her boyfriend.

RJ inhaled two cucumber sandwiches in one bite.

Alexa and Audrey both watched him in fascination. "That is disgusting," Audrey said to him. "Chew your food."

"I'm starving," RJ mumbled.

"We're having an entire meal in half an hour," Audrey pointed out.

"And your point?" RJ asked, finishing off the rest of the plate.

"Will that tide you over?" Alexa asked.

"For now," RJ replied.

Alexa shook her head. "You are incorrigible--"

"What does that even mean?" RJ asked.

Alexa just shook her head as she moved away. She'd caught sight of Gabriel on the other side of the garden.

"You did make it," Alexa said softly.

"Hi Lexie," Gabriel smiled at her.

Alexa hugged him tightly. "It's so good to see you!"

"You too," Gabriel replied. "I've really missed you."

Alexa pulled away to look at him properly. "How's school? Your grandparents?"

"Everyone's fine," Gabriel said. "Nico says hello."

Alexa grinned. "Is he still the same then?"

"Will he ever change?" Gabriel asked dryly.

Alexa laughed. "When did you get in?"

"Last night," Gabriel replied.

"I'm glad you could make it," Alexa said squeezing his hand.

"Me too," Gabriel said, weaving their fingers together. "Of course, if I'd missed it, Saffron would have had my head."

Alexa laughed. "Probably. Come on, let's go and say hello."

Gabriel put a hand at her waist as they headed over to the bride and groom.

"Gabe!" Saffron squealed.

"Hiya Saf." Gabriel hugged her. "Congratulations!"

Saffron grinned. "Thanks. I'm really glad you could make it."

"Of course I made it," Gabriel said as he shook Andrew's hand. "I'm not a fool. You would have had me annihilated if I missed your wedding."

"I'm not that scary," Saffron said with a grin. "But, I'm glad you're here. They just finished with our photos. Now it's on to the reception."

"Time for the good stuff," Andrew said, hugging her to him.

Saffron beamed at him. "And don't worry about hurting my feet. I charmed them so when you do step on them, it won't hurt."

Andrew fought back a grin. "That's very thoughtful, Saf."

"And you are dancing with me at least once," Saffron said. "It's tradition."

"I'll do whatever you want me to do today," Andrew murmured in her ear.

Saffron grinned and gave him a kiss.

"I love you Mrs. Kirke," Andrew said.

"I love you, Mr. Kirke," Saffron said.

Andrew picked her up and whirled her around again. "Finally, finally we're married." he said. "I knew from the moment we got together that this would happen someday."

Saffron giggled. "You did?"

"Of course I did," Andrew said. "You couldn't resist me."

"That's where you're wrong," Saffron told him. "It was you that couldn’t resist me."

Andrew scoffed. "I'm Wizard McDreamy."

Saffron laughed. "You said that you didn't like that name."

"Sort of grew on me," Andrew said sheepishly.

Saffron squeezed his hand as they approached the ballroom. Drew grinned at them. "They'll announce you and then you'll enter the ballroom for your first dance."

"I thought we were going to eat first," RJ whined.

Alexa nudged him. "RJ."

"It's just our dance," Saffron said. "Then we'll eat, I promise."

"Okay," RJ relented.

Chloe went in first to quite the round of applause, followed by Ashley and Katie. Julie, Beth and Mimi headed in with their respective groomsmen and RJ looked over at Alexa.

"Our turn," RJ said as she linked her arm in his.

"Let's make it a good show," she replied.

"Deal," RJ said. "And I get to see the buffet table for the first time!"

Alexa was laughing as he led her in.

"And now entering the ballroom," the bandleader announced. "Mr. and Mrs. Andrew Kirke."

Saffron giggled as Andrew held up both their hands joined together.

Everyone was clapping and cheering when the happy couple entered the ballroom. Saffron led the way out onto the dance floor. This had always been her favourite room in the house and she couldn't believe she was actually going to dance with Andrew here.

"Are you ready for this?" Andrew whispered in her ear.

Saffron nodded. "Yes." She did not even care that Andrew would probably step on her feet during the dance.

The music started with the song they'd chosen. Andrew took a deep breath and twirled her around.

Saffron gaped at him. "Andrew?"

328. Chapter 328 What a Wonderful World

Authors' note: Tonight's chapter brings more of the wedding. Some of you complained about their not being more of the actual ceremony, but in this long story we have done more weddings than we can count and we did not want to just do another rehash of all the weddings we had done before. But, we hope we have kept the romance of the day in it for Saffy and Andrew. Saffy is also going to have some nice moments with both Ethan and Harry in this chapter. So, we hope you aren't too disappointed with the conclusion of the wedding. And next week begins the time jump! Three years into the future! Thank you for the great response to the last chapter and we hope you will let us know what you think of this chapter as well and maybe give us some feedback on what you think will happen with the time jump.

The music started with the song they'd chosen. Andrew took a deep breath and twirled her around.

Saffron gaped at him. "Andrew?"

"Surprise," he said.

"When did you---" Saffron's voice trailed off when he dipped her.

"I've been taking dance lessons from your parents," Andrew told her. "For the past six months."

Saffron felt tears welling up in her eyes. "Andrew Kirke!"

He grinned at her as he gracefully drew her back to him.

"I can't believe you did this," Saffron said. "You're amazing."

"I wanted to dance with you more than once on our wedding day," Andrew told her.

Saffron kissed him.

Andrew hugged her to him. "I love you so, so much."

"You just made the happiest day of my life even better," Saffron said softly.

Andrew gave her another kiss. "I'll do anything I can to keep you happy."

Hermione leaned against Harry as they watched their daughter and new son in law dance.

"He's doing good," Harry said with a grin. "You taught him well."

Hermione nodded. "And she looked so surprised!"

Harry kissed the side of her head. "Well... the hard part's over."

"You've done well today," Hermione said.

"It was hard giving her away," Harry admitted. "She's my baby."

Hermione squeezed his hand. "I know."

Harry leaned back in his chair and loosened his tie as Ron came back to the table carrying three plates.

"How the hell did you get those already?" Harry asked in disbelief.

Ron shrugged. "I just walked into the kitchen and asked."

"Bloody hell," Harry muttered.

"Ronald, it's kind of rude to eat when no one else has their plate," Luna said to her husband.

"They aren't as hungry as me," Ron answered.

Emma had seen her grandfather come back with food and she made a beeline for his table. "Grandpa!" Emma exclaimed. "Can I have some, too?"

"Sure, Em." Ron said, patting his lap.

Emma grinned and sat down on his lap. "What should we start with first?"

"I say the roast beef," Ron cut the slice in half.

Emma rubbed her hands together eagerly. "Yes!"

Ron handed her an extra fork and the two of them dug in together.

Harry just shook his head.

"It's okay," Emma told him. "We're just so hungry!"

Luna draped a napkin over Emma's dress. "We don't want your dress to get dirty."

Emma shook her head. "It's my prettiest dress."

"You look beautiful," Luna said affectionately.

Emma giggled. "Mummy did my hair today."

Ron grinned. "You look just like a princess, Em."

"I should have a crown," Emma said.

Luna pulled out her wand and tapped her napkin. The napkin transfigured into a small tiara. "How's this?"

Emma's eyes widened. "It's beautiful!"

Luna placed it on top of Emma's head. "Now, it's beautiful."

Emma beamed at her. "I'm going to show Hannah!"

Luna grinned. "Okay, love."

Andrew and Saffron finished their dance and headed up to the main table where they'd be sitting with their wedding party.

"Did you know about this?" Saffron asked Alexa.

"RJ and I did," Alexa replied.

"Dance lessons," Saffron said grinning at her husband.

Andrew smiled back at her. "I'm not bad, I have to say."

"You're perfect," Saffron said squeezing his hand.

"For you," Andrew gave her a kiss.

"Finally," RJ said as the wait staff started serving dinners.

Audrey patted his shoulder. "You made it."

"I didn't know if I was going to," RJ said as a plate of roast beef was placed before him. "Remind me to thank my sisters for hiring that caterer."

Audrey laughed. "If you feel faint you can peck off my plate."

RJ leaned over and pecked her on the cheek.

"Is that the best you can do?" Audrey challenged.

"Just you wait until I'm finished eating and we're on the dance floor," RJ told her.

Audrey looked surprised. "You're going to dance?"

RJ nodded. "I'm going to get down."

"Fall down more like," Saffron teased.

RJ laughed sarcastically. "I'll show you."

"Show me how to fall?" Saffron asked, sipping her champagne.

RJ looked at Andrew. "She's lucky this is her wedding day, mate."

Andrew laughed. "I think you're lucky too. She's in too good a mood to do anything rash."

"Your mum came over to tell you that Greta's upstairs with Ellie," Alexa said. "She hung in as long as she could, but she was sleepy."

Saffron smiled. "She's been kipping for shorter times lately. I'm sure Greta will have her back down in a few hours."

"She looked so pretty today," Alexa said. "That little white dress..."

"Nana Molly made it for her," Saffron replied.

"It was adorable," Audrey agreed.

Saffron grinned. "You know what? Everything about this day has just been perfect."

"She hasn't stopped smiling all day," Mimi teased.

"If I looked this amazing I wouldn't stop smiling either," Beth put an arm around her friend.

Saffron grinned. "Thanks, Beth."

"I'm so happy for you guys," Beth said, a bit tearfully. "I keep thinking of how it was when you two were together while we were in school."

"When he had that crush on me and I didn't know it," Saffron said winking at Andrew.

"And I pushed you two together," RJ interjected.

"We owe our entire relationship to you," Saffron said.

"You do," RJ replied.

"Which I'm sure he'll bring up in his speech," Andrew joked.

"Oh yeah," RJ said. "I forgot about that."

"You do have a speech prepared, don't you?" Saffron asked him. "You have to give one as best man. Lexie's worked on hers for a couple of weeks now."

"Err...." RJ looked helplessly at Beth and Mimi.

Mimi nodded. "Yeah, Saffy. He's, um, he's ready. Great speech. Gonna bring you to tears."

Saffron didn't look as if she believed a word they were saying.

RJ pushed his plate away. "I---I have to go to the loo. Lexie, could you join me?"

"In the loo?" Alexa asked confusedly.

Beth and Mimi giggled.

Audrey sighed. "Come on RJ..." she dragged her boyfriend away.

"He so doesn't have a speech," Saffron commented.

"He will when he comes back," Andrew said. "Come on, let's grab a quick bite before the speeches start."

While Andrew and Saffron ate their food, Ashley was sitting with her two friends. Katie had been sitting with them, but she excused herself to go and sit with her parents.

"I'm really sorry about your grandfather, Ash," Zander said.

"Thanks," Ashley replied. "It's harder on Katie than it is on me."

"You get this huge art collection though," Brittany commented.

"I know," she said. "But it feels wrong somehow.

"Why?" Brittany asked.

"Just does," Ashley shrugged.

"I understand," Zander said. "I mean, you hardly knew the guy and now you have something from him."

"And Katie's rich," Brittany said.

"She doesn't get that until she's an adult," Ashley said.

"But still," Brittany said. "I wish I had a rich grandfather..."

"Grandpa Trevor does okay," Zander said thoughtfully.

"But he's not rich, rich." Brittany replied. "Well... I love Grandpa Trevor. I don't really care if he's rich or not."

Zander laughed. "I'll be sure to tell him that at the next family dinner, Brit."

"Shut up Zander," Brittany rolled her eyes.

A boy came over and tapped Brittany on the shoulder. "Would you care to dance?"

"I'd love to," Brittany said with a charming smile.

Zander shook his head as he watched Brittany toss her hair over her shoulder and lead the boy onto the dance floor. "She's something else," he said to Ashley.

"But we love her all the same," Ashley said with a grin.

"We do?" Zander asked, grinning back at her.

Ashley nudged him. "Of course we do."

He laughed. "Most of the time."

"You want to try it?" Ashley asked.

"Dancing?" Zander asked.

"Yeah," Ashley nodded.

Zander stood up and offered her his hand. "I'm not very good at this."

"It's all right," Ashley said. "We're friends and I don't mind if you step on my feet."

Zander laughed as they found a spot on the dance floor. He put his hands on her waist.

"You're not so bad, Murray," Ashley told him, her arms around his neck.

Zander smiled. "It helps when you have a good partner."

"Always does," Ashley replied. "How are things going with Gina?"

"Good," Zander said. "She's in Rome until August, but we're writing to each other."

"Rome?" Ashley asked.

Zander nodded. "She and Jack have family there."

"I'd love to go to Rome," Ashley said enviously.

"Maybe someday you will," Zander said thoughtfully.

"I hope I can," she said. "I'd love to study there."

Zander smiled down at her. "And they have great food there."

"Pasta," Ashley said. "Yum."

"So, how about you and James?" Zander asked.

"Things are good," Ashley responded. "I wish he could be here today."

"But you had to settle for Brit and me," Zander teased.

"You two are good for runner up," Ashley joked.

"Thanks," Zander said grinning at her.

"You look really nice, by the way," Ashley told him.

"Thanks," Zander said. "So do you."

"Thank you," Ashley said. "These gowns are so pretty."

"It's not just the gown," Zander said without thinking.

"What?" she asked.

Zander hadn't realised he had said that aloud. "Um, well, I was just saying that it wasn't just the gown that was pretty."

"What do you mean?" Ashley was confused.

"You," Zander said. "You're pretty."

Ashley blushed. "Thanks, Zander."

Zander smiled nervously at her. "James is a lucky bloke."

"Gina's a lucky girl," Ashley said softly as the song ended.

The two of them walked back to their table while a new song began. Nick looked over at his youngest daughter. "Katie, would you like to dance with your old man?"

"Okay Daddy," Katie agreed quietly.

Nick took her hand. "You and your sister looked so beautiful today."

"Thanks," Katie managed a smile.

"I know this hasn't been very easy for you," Nick said as they started to dance. "For any of us really, but I know especially for you. I miss him too. I think I was finally getting to know him."

"Me too," Katie said. "It's not fair!"

"No, it's not," Nick agreed.

"I think he really liked me a lot," Katie said. "And I liked him too."

"He did," Nick said. "I think he saw in you a kindred spirit."

Katie nodded.

"You can talk to me about it anytime you want," Nick told her.

"I can?" Katie asked.

"Of course," Nick told her. "I miss him, too, like I said. And I think you and I can talk about him and maybe that will make us feel better."

Katie hugged her father. "Thank you."

"Anytime," Nick said. "I love you, Katie."

"I love you too," Katie replied. "I'm glad you let me and Ash get to know him."

"Me too," Nick said softly.

“Can I cut in?” Ashley asked their father.

"Sure," Nick replied.

"I'm going to find Caroline," Katie said.

"Alright," Nick said giving her another hug. "Remember what I said."

"I know," Katie smiled at him.

"That's my girl," Nick said winking at her.

Katie went looking for Caroline but didn't see her. She did see her aunt sitting back down at the head table so she went over to talk to her.

"Hi, Aunt Saffy," Katie said.

"Hi Katie!" Saffron stood back up to hug her niece.

"Hiya, Katie," Andrew said.

Katie had to smile. "Uncle Andrew."

Andrew laughed. "That's right. I hadn't even thought about that."

"It's kind of weird," Katie confessed.

"Having me as an uncle?" Andrew asked, pretending to be hurt.

"Just calling you uncle," Katie laughed as he swept her up in a hug.

Saffron was happy to see Katie smile. She knew the last couple of weeks had been hard on her.

"I hope you'll save me a dance," Andrew said to his new niece. "I'm pretty good at it now."

"I saw," Katie giggled.

Andrew gave her a kiss on the cheek. "I'll find you later," he promised. "For now, I owe my wife another spin."

Saffron grinned. "Two dances?"

"As many as you want," Andrew said, winding his arms around her waist.

Saffron and Andrew walked past Ethan and Maddie on their way to the dance floor. Maddie rested her head on Ethan's shoulder.

"Reminds me of our wedding," Ethan said softly.

"I was just thinking the same thing," Maddie said happily.

"One of the best days of my life," Ethan said huskily.

"And I'm guessing the others were the day you met Kiera for the first time," Maddie said looking up at him. "And being there for Gwyn's birth."

"Absolutely," Ethan told her.

Maddie smiled. "There are more good days in our future, Ethan."

"I'm sure there are Mads," Ethan grinned at her.

Maddie leaned in and gave him a kiss.

"I love you," Ethan said softly.

"I love you too," Maddie said. "Always have and always will."

Ethan leaned in and kissed her again.

"Get a room," Saffron called out teasingly to her brother.

"Look who's talking," Ethan retorted playfully.

Saffron grinned at him.

"They get a free pass today," Maddie said, laughing.

"Just for today," Andrew said.

Saffron hugged her husband around the waist. "We get a free pass for the week," she said.

Ethan made a face. "Gross..."

"It was no cup of tea for me to think of that with you either," Saffron returned.

"Just let me think that you and Andrew are just going to play Quidditch for the next week," Ethan said.

"And play Scrabble," Saffron said devilishly.

"Thank you," Ethan said.

Saffron laughed. "You have no idea what Scrabble means, do you?"

Ethan raised an eyebrow. "It's a game."

"Ethan," Maddie shook her head. "It means shagging."

Ethan grimaced. "I just threw up in my mouth."

"Don't be such a baby," Saffron said.

Ethan shook his head. "Saffron Grace..."

"How do you think Ellie got here?" Saffron asked.

"Saf, come on," Ethan said. "You're my baby sister. Don't like thinking about you...and that. "

Saffron shook her head and grinned. "Dance with me, Ethan."

Andrew laughed. "I can dance with Maddie. She can give me some pointers on how to deal with the two of you."

"I'm an expert on that by now," Maddie told him.

Ethan and Andrew switched partners and Saffron nudged her brother. "I'm sorry I was giving you such a hard time," she said.

"It's your wedding day," Ethan said. "Mum made me promise to be nice to you." he grinned at his sister.

Saffron laughed. "You don't want to get into trouble with Mum."

"That too," Ethan admitted.

Saffron smiled up at him. "You are annoying, Ethan, but I love you."

"I love you too, brat." Ethan said affectionately. "We've been through a lot together."

"I wouldn't have made it through that with Devereaux if it hadn't been for you," Saffron said.

"You helped me too," Ethan told her. "We got through it together."

Saffron felt tears welling up in her eyes. She hugged her brother tightly.

"We don't need to think about that," Ethan told her. "We've come a long way, Saf. And this is a happy day."

Saffron nodded. "A very happy day."

"Andrew's a good bloke," Ethan told her. "He's always treated you right."

"He has," Saffron said. "Even when I didn't deserve it."

"Long as he continues to treat you that way--" Ethan began.

"He will," Saffron interjected. "You have nothing to worry about."

"I know." Ethan hugged her again. "I can't believe you're married."

"That makes two of us," Harry said coming over to them. "Do you mind if I dance with my little girl?"

Saffron grinned at him.

Ethan took his leave and Saffron took her father's hand. "How you holding up, Daddy?"

"I'm happy seeing you smile like that," Harry told her.

Saffron laughed as Harry lifted her up his toes. "Just like you did when I was a little girl."

"I wish you still were my little girl," Harry said, feeling sentimental.

"I'll always be your little girl," Saffron said. "And you're not getting rid of me. I'm going to visit you and Mum all the time and you have a granddaughter to spoil."

Harry smiled. "We'll go visit her at Andy and Tricia's this week. I wish we could have taken her, but your mother's got a few big meetings and I have a raid."

"I understand," Saffron said. "And she'll love seeing you."

Harry looked over at his new son in law. "What did you think of Andrew's surprise?"

Saffron grinned. "Complete and utter shock?"

"He did very well in his lessons," Harry said. "Every Saturday morning."

"I was wondering what he was up to," Saffron said, shaking her head. "All those trips to the park..."

Harry laughed. "You have no idea how close you came to catching him a few times."

"I'm glad I didn't," Saffron said. "That was the best surprise."

"So what happened with the speeches?" Harry asked. "I thought we'd be hearing those at dinner."

Saffron looked over at the head table where RJ was furiously writing something down. "I think RJ needed to iron out the rough edges..."

Harry laughed. "It better be something good, then."

Saffron kissed her father on the cheek when their dance ended. She sat back down at the table with Andrew. Alexa stood up and walked over to the stage. She took the microphone and cleared her throat. She had never liked speaking in front of people. "Hello, everyone," Alexa said, blushing as every face in the room turned toward her. "I, um, I always wanted a sister when I was growing up. But, I was an only child and I kept pretty much to myself. My life changed, for the better, though, when I turned eleven and I boarded the Hogwarts Express. I met someone that became like a sister to me and I've grown up with her and watched her become a great athlete, a great friend, and a great mother."

As Alexa went on with her speech, RJ felt the dread in the pit of his stomach grow. Her speech was excellent.

"You'll be fine," Audrey assured him. "Speak from your heart."

"I hope so," RJ muttered.

Alexa raised her glass as she brought her speech to a close. "To Andrew and Saffy. May you always have joy, happiness and love."

Saffron hugged her best friend tightly. "That was beautiful Lexie. Thank you."

Alexa grinned. "I'm glad you liked it, Saffy. I love you and Andrew so much."

"We love you too," Saffron said, squeezing her hand as RJ got up.

Fred and George whistled and made catcalls at their nephew. RJ was usually amused by their antics, but this was the last thing he needed.

"So um..." RJ began. "I've known Andrew since he and I started Hogwarts... and Saffron and I grew up together since we were babies. So naturally when I found out he fancied her I did my best to push them together whenever possible."

Saffron and Andrew looked at each other and smiled.

"She was a little slow on the uptake," RJ said. "But eventually she realised I was right and gave him a chance."

The guests laughed and RJ relaxed.

"They've had their ups and downs like any other relationship, but they're the best for each other, and I know they'll be happy together." RJ finished.

Everyone clapped and raised their glasses to the newlyweds.

"Thanks, RJ." Saffron punched him lightly on the shoulder. "Not bad for last minute."

RJ laughed. "Aud said to speak from my heart."

"You sure did," Andrew said wryly. "But thanks, mate."

RJ looked over at Alexa. "You brought them to tears. Hard act to follow."

"She is a writer," Saffron said. "And a bloody good one at that."

Alexa beamed at her. "Thanks, Saffy."

"I'm just glad that's over," RJ said. "I'll have a drink now."

"Well deserved," Andrew said, clapping him on the back.

"I'll buy you a beer," RJ said with a grin as he and Andrew headed for the bar.

Alexa reached for her glass of champagne when she felt a tap on her shoulder. She turned to see Gabriel smiling down at her.

"That was a great speech," he told her.

Alexa smiled. "Thanks. I always hate speaking in front of people."

"I couldn't tell," he told her. "You looked completely at ease."

Alexa motioned to the empty chair beside her. "Why don't you sit down?"

"Sure," Gabriel replied. "You look gorgeous in that dress, you know."

Alexa blushed. "Thanks. You look quite handsome in your suit."

"Lavender got it for me," Gabriel tugged at it. "Some guy named Valentino made it..."

"Some guy named Valentino," Alexa laughed. "Famous designer, Gabe."

Gabriel shrugged sheepishly. "They all look the same to me."

"Spoken like a bloke," Alexa said. "So um...how long are you here for?"

"A week," Gabriel replied.

"A week's vacation," Alexa teased.

"I have all my school books," Gabriel joked. "So I’ve been reading like crazy."

Alexa laughed. "A-ha."

"What would I be but for studying?" Gabriel asked, reaching for his drink,

"It will all be worth it, you know," Alexa said smiling at him. "Once you're a great doctor."

"I can't wait for that," Gabriel said.

Mimi stood before them with her camera. "Smile!"

"Meems!" Alexa exclaimed.

The flash nearly blinded them and Mimi giggled. "What? Saffy told me to take some candid snaps!"

Alexa shook her head as Gabriel moved his chair by hers and put his arm around her.

Mimi winked at Alexa and then prepared to take another photo.

Alexa had to admit it felt nice to be back in Gabriel's arms. It hadn't been long since they had broken up but she had missed him.

"Perfect," Mimi said after she took their picture.

Alexa took a sip of her champagne as Mimi moved to the next table. "What would we do without her?" she asked dryly.

"I'm sure you've enjoyed being around them again," Gabriel said.

"I have," she nodded. "I love being home."

"I can tell," Gabriel commented. "You seem happy."

"Well there is one thing I left behind that I miss," Alexa said meaningfully.

Gabriel leaned in. "Yeah?"

"Uh huh," she said softly.

Gabriel pressed his lips gently to hers. His feelings for her had not gone away.

Alexa closed her eyes and sneaked her arms around his middle.

"That was a little unexpected," Gabriel said when they broke apart.

"A little," she agreed.

Gabriel grinned. "But nice."

"Very," Alexa smiled back at him. "Want to dance?"

"Absolutely," Gabriel replied.

"I should ask Saffy about the spell she used on her feet," Alexa teased.

"I'm not THAT bad," Gabriel said laughing as he led her to the dance floor. He did not know what the future held for them, but for now, it was enough to enjoy each other's company.

With the reception in full swing, Drew and Darla's duties were pretty much finished for the day. Darla looked onto the dance floor where her sister was dancing with Brian.

She smiled as she saw Drew throw her head back and laugh at something Brian was telling her.

The dance floor was full of couples, dancing and happy.

She sighed as she took another glass of champagne from the bar. Darla didn't want to get pissed, but a nice buzz would feel good. There was nothing worse than being at a wedding alone.

A horrible thought occurred to her. What if she became the great-aunt Muriel of her family? What if years from now, Emma, Caroline, Casey and Chloe talked about poor Aunt Darla and how alone she was?

"I'm destined to be alone," Darla groaned to herself. She didn't want to face the thought that Liam wasn't going to show. She hadn't allowed herself to feel disappointed but now the feeling swept over her.

"Excuse me, miss," someone said behind her.

"Buffet is over there," she said without turning to look.

"That's a fine way to treat your date," Liam said with a laugh.

Darla gasped and whirled around. "Liam!"

Liam grinned. "Sorry I'm late."

She stared at him. "I thought you weren't coming..."

"Well, I finished up early at St Mungos," Liam told her. "And I thought better late than never."

"I didn't know you had to work," Darla said softly.

"I wouldn't have cancelled our date or non-date if it hadn't been important," Liam said smiling at her.

Darla smiled back. "I'm glad you're here."

"Me too," Liam said. "Do you want to dance then?"

"How about a drink first?" she asked.

"Sure," Liam replied.

Darla took him over to the bar. "It's open, so get whatever you like."

Liam nodded and ordered a drink. Darla could not resist looking at him as they waited.

He looked extremely handsome in the suit he was wearing.

He caught her looking at him and Darla blushed.

"What?" he asked with a grin.

"Nothing," Darla said hastily.

"Caught you checking me out," he said teasingly.

"I wasn't checking you out," Darla lied.

"What would you call it then?" he asked.

Darla took a sip of her champagne. "I have no idea what you're talking about."

"Sure you don't," Liam said, moving over closer to her. "How was the ceremony?"

"Wonderful," Darla replied, grateful for the change in subject. "Saffy looked gorgeous and there were no major problems. All in all, a brilliant wedding."

"I should probably go say hello to the happy couple," Liam said. "Considering I've never really met them..."

"I can introduce you," Darla said. "I've known Saffy since she was a baby."

"That would be great," he said, taking her hand in his.

It felt like the most natural thing in the world to be walking across the ballroom with him, holding his hand, Darla thought.

"Saffy," Darla said as they approached the newlyweds. "I'd like you to meet my um... my friend. This is Dr. Liam Thornhart."

"Nice to meet you, Liam," Saffron said warmly.

"Thank you for having me," Liam said. "And congratulations!"

"Thanks," Saffron said. She grinned at Darla and mouthed the word "cute" when Liam was looking the other way.

Darla blushed and gave Saffron a look.

"We're going to dance," Darla said grabbing Liam's hand.

"Against my will," Liam joked.

Darla grinned. "Yeah, I'm really twisting your arm here, Liam."

"You actually are," he teased her.

Darla laughed and led him to an empty spot on the dance floor. The last time she had danced with him had been at the New Year's ball at the Ministry. She didn't foresee herself running out this time.

"I'm so glad you made it," she told him.

"Me too," Liam said softly, smiling down at her. "So, um, did you decide?"

"Decide?" she asked.

"If this was a date or not," Liam said.

"Oh," Darla said, flustered. "Well... I kind of thought it was. I mean we're here... we're dressed up..."

"We're dancing," Liam said with a grin. "And you're blushing..."

"I can't help it," she said. "Don't tease me."

Liam looked down at her. "I'm sorry. No teasing. I promise."

"This is kind of a big step for me, you know." Darla told him.

Liam nodded. "I know."

"And you're my best friend," Darla continued. "I care about you very much."

"You're worried that dating might ruin our friendship?" Liam asked.

"I would hope not," Darla said softly.

Liam met her gaze. "Darla, I don't know what's going to happen, but I do know that I care about you and Rafe very much. I don't want to hurt either of you."

"I don't think you will," Darla said.

"I never thought this would happen," Liam said softly. "I never thought I'd have a chance with you. I stood back because I knew you were married and I didn't want to get in the way of that."

Darla smiled at him. "I never thought this whole ordeal with Hans would end.... or that I would have someone like you waiting for me."

"You were worth waiting for," Liam said leaning in.

Darla closed her eyes as he gently pressed his lips to hers.

She had thought about what it would be like to kiss him, but those thoughts paled in comparison to the real thing.

He slid his arms tighter around her and deepened their kiss.

They were both breathless when they pulled apart. "Liam," Darla said dazedly.

"I have waited for that..." he said softly. "For so long..."

"Me too," Darla admitted. She grinned. "Who knew Irishmen were such good kissers?"

"I knew all along," he joked.

Darla grinned impishly up at him. "I might need a little more convincing..."

"I can do that," Liam leaned in again.

Darla looped her arms around his neck and felt happier than she could remember feeling.

"How's that?" he asked her.

"Perfect," Darla said dreamily.

"I won't hurt you again," Liam said in her ear. "You are the most beautiful woman I've ever seen and I'm going to do my best to make you and Rafe happy."

Darla felt tears welling up in her eyes. "Oh, Liam..."

"Kind of cheesy," he admitted sheepishly.

Darla shook her head. "No, it's just something I've wanted to hear for a long time."

"You did?" he asked.

Darla nodded. "Because somewhere along the way, I fell for you."

"You did?" he asked again.

"How could I not?" Darla asked him softly.

Liam leaned in and kissed her.

He circled his arms around her and lifted her up off her feet.

Darla laughed. "Liam!"

“That’s Ron and Luna’s daughter, right?” Frank asked his son, pointing to Darla. “She has the twin sister?”

Neville nodded. "That's Darla." He motioned to the other side of the room where Drew and Brian were dancing. "And that's Drew."

"Right," Frank said. "I get his other ones confused too."

Neville chuckled. "Sometimes he does too, Dad."

Frank had a good laugh at that. "That little Emma is really something else."

"She's a sweetheart," Neville agreed. He looked out onto the dance floor where Hannah and Emma were dancing together.

"She made me promise to dance with her later," Frank replied. "I haven't danced in many, many years."

Alice reached for his hand. "Frank, you're a great dancer."

"With you," Frank replied.

Alice smiled. "I remember dancing at OUR wedding..."

"I do too," Frank said. "It's nice to remember that..."

Cho grinned. "Well, why don't you two dance now?"

"Maybe I should," Frank replied. "Practise for my great granddaughter."

Frank stood up and offered his wife a hand. "What do you say, Alice?"

"I would love to," Alice stood up.

Frank smiled sheepishly at her. "Go easy on me. I might be a little rusty..."

Alice laughed. "If you are then so am I."

Alice was beaming as she followed him onto the dance floor.

"This is nice," Frank said as the fast song ended and a slower one began.

"Much more our pace," Alice agreed, looping her arms around his neck.

Neville leaned back in his chair. "I like seeing them this happy."

Cho nodded. "You're mum is glowing."

"Yes she is," Neville gazed at his parents.

"They've adjusted better," Cho commented. "Only a handful of memory lapses..."

"Every day it's sharper," Neville said. "I've heard nothing but good things from the healers."

Cho smiled. "I'm so happy that you have them in your life, Neville. And that our girls had the chance to know them."

"That's what makes me happiest," Neville agreed. He looked around and saw Harry looking wistfully at Frank and Alice.

Cho followed his gaze. "He's been thinking a lot about his parents, too."

"They should have been here today," Neville said.

"I think that in a way they are," Cho said thoughtfully. "From what Alice and Frank told me, those children have some of the same qualities they did. Ethan's bravery, Julie's intelligence and warmth and Saffron's tenacity and loyalty."

Neville nodded pensively. "You're right."

"And it means the world to him that your parents have these stories about James and Lily," Cho said.

Neville grinned. "Dad's got some great stories about him and James."

Cho laughed too. "James was quite the troublemaker, wasn't he?"

"Seems so," Neville replied. "But Harry got into his share of trouble at school."

"Don't I remember," Cho said shaking her head.

"You were in the thick of it with him," he said with a grin.

Cho pulled an innocent face. "I was led astray."

"Sure you were," he said dryly.

"You were there," Cho nudged him. "I was the innocent party."

"If you say so," Neville squeezed his wife's hand.

"He and Ron spent almost all seven years in detention," Cho said.

"With Snape," Neville said with a groan.
"No one is allowed to say that name today," Ron said from behind him.

"He wasn't that bad," Luna said thoughtfully.

"Luna he was a greasy git," Ron replied.

"Pains me to say it, but I agree with Ron," Neville said dryly.

"Same here," Cho wrinkled her nose.

Luna shook her head. "He was very nice to me a few times. Especially when someone stole all of my shoes and earrings and threw them in the moat..." She looked pointedly at Ron.

"I only did that once," Ron said uncomfortably. "And I bought you new ones."

Luna squeezed his hand. "It's okay now, Ronald."

"Should be, after all the jewellery I've bought you by now," Ron said.

Luna leaned in and pecked him on the cheek. "My Ronald."

Ron grinned at her and set his plate down. "Want to dance?"

"Absolutely," Luna said smiling at him.

Ron gave Neville a look before spinning Luna around near Frank and Alice.

"You're putting me to shame, Mr, Longbottom," Ron said to the older man.

Frank laughed. "You've got years on me, Ron."

"This girl here taught me everything I know," Ron said, spinning Luna around.

Luna giggled. "Yes, yes I did."

"That's how it was with Alice and me," Frank said.

"He swept me off my feet," Alice said.

"I swept Ronald off of his," Luna said dreamily.

"She sure did," Ron dipped her back.

Frank and Alice smiled at the younger couple.

"I hope we can still be happy when we're their age," Luna said to her husband.

"Me too," Ron said. "You know...I am sorry for all that stuff I did to you when we were in school. I was an idiot."

"You didn't know," Luna told him.

"I know now," Ron said pulling her close.

Luna gave him a kiss. "I've been so happy with you all these years."

"I'm glad," Ron said. "And we have so many years ahead of us."

"Yes we do," she said with a grin.

Frank and Alice finished their dance and walked back to the table, holding hands. They passed Harry and stopped to say hello.

"I'm glad you both came," Harry said. "And you look like you're having a great time."

"We are," Alice said. "And your daughter is a beautiful bride."

"Yes she is," Harry looked across the ballroom where his daughter was dancing with her husband.

Alice gave Harry a hug. "Lily would have loved this."

"I hope so," Harry said.

"I know so," Alice said.

"She would be proud of her grandchildren," Frank told him. "And her son."

"And she'd spoil those great-grandchildren," Alice said.

Harry grinned. "Like Molly."

"And Alice," Frank teased.

"I'm happy to spoil my grandchildren," Alice said. "And my son."

"She's already made her Christmas list," Frank said with a grin.

Harry had to laugh. "Even Hermione's not that bad."

"It's never a bad idea to plan ahead," Alice said defensively.

"Of course not, dear." Frank kissed her cheek.

Alice laughed. "See what I have to put up with, Harry?"

Harry smiled. "Something tells me neither of you minds it."

Alice looked up at Frank. "Not at all."

As happy as Harry was for his friend, he still couldn't help but wish his parents could be there to see their last grandchild married off.

They would have loved it, Harry thought to himself. He could see his mother crying while she watched Andrew and Saffron exchange their vows. He could see his father making Saffron laugh as they shared a grandfather-granddaughter dance.

Alice reached for the younger man and gave him a firm, loving hug.

"Thanks, Alice," Harry said to her.

"Anytime, Harry." she told him. "Anytime."

As the evening progressed, Saffron, Andrew and their friends and family ate cake, danced and just enjoyed the evening. Guests started to filter out and Saffron and Andrew went upstairs to get dressed and change. Their portkey for their honeymoon destination was set to activate in less than an hour.

Hermione had helped her daughter change and helped make sure that she had everything she needed. "An entire week in Athens," Hermione said wistfully. "You're going to have a great time, Saffy."

"I can't wait," Saffron said with a grin. "But I'm going to miss Ellie so much."

"I know," Hermione said. "But, she'll be fine. Andy and Tricia will take good care of her and your father and I will help when we can. This week will be over before you know it and you'll be home."

"I know," Saffron replied, running her hands through her wavy hair. "thank you so much Mum. For everything."

"I think you're all set," Hermione said, using her wand to levitate Saffron's suitcase by the door.

Saffron nodded. "I'll see you in a week."

Hermione gave her a hug. "Have a great time."

"I will," Saffron said. "A week with Andrew and no interruptions. Aside from not being with Ellie, this week will be perfect."

Saffron used her wand to shrink her bags. She pocketed them and turned to see her father in the doorway. "Ellie's downstairs with Andrew and his folks. I just wanted to say goodbye."

Saffron smiled and hugged her father tightly.

"I love you," Harry said, swallowing the lump in his throat.

"I love you too Daddy," Saffron looked up at him.

"Andrew's waiting," Harry said. "Go on now."

"I'll see you in a week," Saffron said to him. "I'll come by when we get back."

Harry and Hermione watched as Saffron breezed out of the room. They were silent for a few moments. Hermione rested her head on Harry's shoulder.

"I think that was the hardest thing I've ever done," Harry admitted.

"It's never easy to let go," Hermione said thoughtfully.

Harry shook his head. "Especially not her. She's my baby."

"She's going to be fine," Hermione said. "She's happy and she's in love. That's all that matters."

Harry nodded. "I know. But it doesn't make it any easier for me."

Hermione hugged him. "I know."

Meanwhile, Saffron was downstairs saying goodbye to her daughter, her new in laws, and her friends.

"Take loads of photos," Beth was saying.

RJ grimaced. "Beth...I don't think you're going to want photos of what they'll be doing."

Saffron glared at him. "Thanks, RJ. Thanks for saying that in front of my in-laws."

"They have to know what you do--" RJ began.

Audrey put her hand over her boyfriend's mouth. "Don't mind him."

"I never do," Saffron replied.

Ellie yawned and Saffron knew it was time to say goodbye. "Okay, Ellie. You can go home with Grandma and Grandpa. You be a good girl and Mummy and Daddy will be home soon. I promise."

Ellie blinked and looked up at her. "Ma..."

Saffron looked down at her in surprise. "Ellie? Ellie!"

"Did she just say--" Andrew began.

"Her first word!" Saffron exclaimed. "Ma!"

"I thought for sure she'd say my name first," Andrew replied.

Saffron grinned. "You know what this means?"

"What's that?" Andrew asked.

"She wears Puddlemere for a month," Saffron said triumphantly, giving RJ a high five.

Andrew rolled his eyes. "Ellie...how could you do this to your dad?"

"Ma," Ellie said again.

Saffron hugged Ellie to her. "This really has been the best day!"

Even Andrew had to smile. "Come on Saf."

Saffron kissed Ellie's cheek. "Bye, my love." She handed Ellie to Tricia.

"I'll see you in a week," Alexa hugged her best friend tightly. "Have a great time, Saffy."

"Thanks, Lex," Saffron said smiling at her.

"Ring me when you get back and we'll get together so you can tell me how everything was," Alexa whispered.

"I will," Saffron promised. She and Andrew hugged the rest of their friends and said another goodbye to Ellie before leaving. Saffron could not have asked for a better day---marrying the man she loved while all her friends and family watched. She knew that things would not always be perfect like today, but she was content for now to just live in the moment.

329. Chapter 329 Where Does the Time Go?

Authors' note: Tonight's chapter begins the time jump. We are now three years into the future and it begins with the Hogwarts crew---Ashley, Zander and Brittany are seventh years. We hope you enjoy the time jump---we have big things planned and just ask for one thing from you guys---FEEDBACK! Please, please, please take a minute after you finish reading to let us know what you think.

Ashley Malfoy had just spent the better part of two weeks stuck in the hospital wing with the Wizarding flu. Madam Pomfrey had finally decided she was well enough to rejoin her classmates in Gryffindor.

She had made it through her entire school career without spending more than an hour in the hospital wing. But, now nearing the end of her seventh and final year, she had been hit with a horrid case of the flu. When she needed to be concentrating on her art, she would have to spend the next few days, catching up on all the assignments she had missed.

"Hello," Katie waved her hand in front of her sister's face. "Are you in there?"

"Sorry," Ashley said, slowly standing up. "Just feeling a bit sorry for myself is all."

"Well you're all better," Katie said, grabbing a Gryffindor jumper from the bedside table. "You can get the bloody hell out of here."

"It hasn't been all bad," Ashley said. "Zander kept me company." She smiled at the memory of him sneaking into the wing after visiting hours.

"There you go again," Katie said, one eyebrow raised.

"What are you on about?" Ashley asked, folding her dressing gown.

"Whenever you mention Zander you get this look on your face," Katie said. "You're pale as can be, but when you say his name your cheeks get all flushed."

Ashley rolled her eyes. "They do not, Katie."

"Yes they do," Katie grinned at her. "You can't pull one over on me. I am the expert on all things having to do with blokes."

"I'll forget you said that," Ashley said. "And remember not to tell Dad." She folded Zander's Gryffindor blanket. He had let her have it last night when she'd had a chill.

Katie scoffed and turned to look at her reflection in the mirror. She had turned fifteen not long ago and had blossomed into a very beautiful young woman.

"You didn't have to do this," Ashley said to her sister. "I know you have better things to do."

"I don't mind," Katie replied. "I wanted to make sure you were okay."

Ashley smiled at her sister. "That's very kind of you."

"Don't tell anyone," Katie joked. "My Slytherin reputation is on the line."

"Speaking of which," Ashley said looking pointedly at her sister. "Caroline and Mia visited me the other day. Don't sigh, Katie. Caroline used to be your best friend."

"Please..." Katie rolled her eyes.

"I still can't believe how horrible you were to her on her first days here," Ashley said, shaking her head.

"Ashley," Katie shook her head. "I was not horrible to her."

"What do you call acting as if you didn't know her?" Ashley asked.

"Ashley she's in Gryffindor with you," Katie said as if it were the most obvious thing. "If you were that worried why didn't you show her around?"

"I did," Ashley pointed out. "But, you really have some nerve, Katie. Acting the way you do at school and then expecting her to be your friend on hols when none of your minions are around."

Katie laughed. "I don't have minions, Ash."

Ashley laughed. "Yes, you do."

"Well, maybe a few," Katie said with a grin. "I love being popular."

"You always have," Ashley said. She clasped her suitcase. "I think I'm all--"

"Mr. Murray!" Madam Pomfrey exclaimed from the other room. "You cannot go back there!"

Katie nudged her sister. "Here comes your hero...."

"I'll just be a minute," Zander told the nurse.

The door swung open and Zander hurried inside. He smiled when he saw Ashley. "Miss Malfoy, I hardly recognised you standing up."

Katie rolled her eyes. "Lame joke, Murray."

"I'll try and do better next time," Zander made a goofy face at her.

Katie had to laugh at that.

"I thought I'd see if you were ready to head back to civilization," Zander said to Ashley.

"Beyond ready," Ashley replied. "Madam Pomfrey's discharged me officially.."

"Finally," Katie said, tossing her hair.

Ashley gave her sister a hug. "I'll see you at dinner. Thanks again for helping me."

"No problem," Katie replied. "I'm just glad you're better."

"Look at that," Zander said picking up Ashley's case. "Katie and I actually agreed on something."

"Again, don't tell anyone," Katie said. "Reputation..."

"Your secret is safe with me," Zander said.

"Aren't you the gentleman," Katie said flirtatiously. She still thought Zander was rather boring, but he had gotten awfully cute.

"Say goodbye, Katie," Ashley said.

"Goodbye, Katie." the brunette replied with a grin. Katie gave her sister one last hug before she breezed out of the room.

"Well..." Zander shook his head. "Are you ready, Malfoy?"

Ashley nodded and smiled at him. "Yes."

"We missed you up there," Zander told her. "Brit's been awfully quiet without you to moan and groan with."

"Brit has never been quiet in her life," Ashley said.

"Quieter, then." Zander slung his arm around her.

Ashley rested her head on his shoulder. "Thank you for all that you didfor me, Zander. I can't imagine spending a fortnight in the hospital wing was much for you."

"It was no big deal," he said. "You'd do it for me."

"I would," Ashley agreed.

"Everyone's anxious to have you back up there," Zander told her. "Brit can tell you the latest of her and Evan and her and Michael..."

Ashley groaned. "Seriously?"

"Her drama never fails to amaze me," he said dryly.

"I don't know how she keeps up with them all," Ashley said.

"I don't want to know," Zander said as they approached the portrait door.

"I feel like I've been away for ages," Ashley commented.

"You're looking a bit pale, even for being British," Zander teased her.

Ashley poked him in the side. "Let's see how great you look after spending two weeks in bed."

"I didn't say you looked bad," Zander squeezed her shoulders. "Just pale."

Ashley blushed. "Zander..."

"Come on Ash," he said as the door swung open.

Ashley followed him inside the warm, familiar Gryffindor common room.

"ASH!" Brittany shrieked.

Ashley turned and laughed as Brittany hugged her tightly. "I missed you too, Brit!"

"I have SO much to tell you," Brittany replied.

"Give her a chance to breathe," Zander warned his cousin.

"It's okay," Ashley said with a grin. "I've missed this."

Zander tugged affectionately on Ashley's ponytail. "I'm going to just put your case upstairs."

"Thanks," Ashley said gratefully. "And here's your blanket."

Zander took it. "Thanks."

"Madam Pomfrey charmed it so it's germ free," Ashley said with a grin.

"That's all we need," Brittany said rolling her eyes. "Zander to get sick. One case of the sniffles and he's lying on the couch moaning and groaning about how sick he is."

Zander laughed sarcastically. "As opposed to the first sign of a red, runny nose, go running to Madam Pomfrey like someone else we know?"

"At least I'm not a big baby," Brittany retorted.

"You're more like a big sissy," Zander said before sprinting away.

"UGH!" Brittany said. "He is SO obnoxious!"

Ashley watched him go, but she had a smile on her face. He was not obnoxious to her. The last couple of weeks in hospital wing would have been unbearable if it hadn't been for him.

"Anyway," Brittany said. "Now that you're out, I can talk to you about Billy."

"Billy?" Ashley asked, breaking out of her reverie.

"He's in Ravenclaw," Brittany said. "COMPLETELY gorgeous."

"What about Evan?" Ashley asked. "Before I went in hospital, you two were back together."

"That lasted like four days," Brittany waved her hand. "Bored."

Ashley giggled. "Brit..."

"He's fun for a few days," Brittany replied. "I need a little action, you know."

Ashley did not know, but she nodded her head like she understood. Zander came back downstairs and handed Ashley a couple of letters. "Corinne took your bag and asked me if I'd give you these letters from Kevin."

"Oh," Ashley blushed. "Thanks. I was hoping he had written to me."

"Too bad he wasn't able to come here and sit by your bedside giving you tender, loving care," Brittany said dreamily.

"He's so busy these days," Ashley said. "A tour this summer, a concert next week..."

"So romantic," Brittany said. "To think how he started out working with your dad..."

"He wasn't really working with him," Ashley reminded her. "He opened for my dad, and that's how we met."

"So hot," Brittany gushed.

Zander rolled his eyes. "Brit, do we need to throw you in the lake to cool you down?"

"Ugh," Brittany said. "Go away, Zander. You did your job and brought Ashley back."

"Guys, come on," Ashley said. "Be nice."

"Yeah," Zander said. "Be nice to me. I'm the good guy, remember?"

Ashley smiled at him. "You don't need to tell me that, Zander."

"Thanks Ash," Zander said dramatically.

Brittany picked up Zander's arm and twisted it around to get a look at his watch. "Ooooh...I have to go. I promised Billy I'd meet him for a walk."

"Make sure you keep it quiet this time," Zander said. "I'd hate to have to bust you on my patrol later."

Brittany glared at him. "Mr. Prefect..."

"Jealous?" he asked her, as he did every time.

Brittany tossed her hair over her shoulder and walked out without responding. It was a sore spot for her that her cousin had been named prefect their fourth year.

Ashley giggled. "You two are horrible."

Zander laughed. "She is just jealous that I have the power and she doesn't."

Ashley grinned at him and returned to her letters. "I'll write him back before dinner." she said.

"Oh, I almost forgot," Zander said. "I have something for you, too. A sort of welcome back to the land of the living present."

"You've already done enough for me--" Ashley began to protest.

"It's not anything big," Zander told her. He pulled a small bag from his pocket and handed it to her. Ashley slowly opened it and beamed at him when she saw a stuffed small unicorn inside. "I saw in that toy shoppe in Hogsmeade and thought about you."

Ashley grinned at him. "From first year... our night in the Forbidden Forest."

Zander nodded. "Told you it wasn't much..."

Ashley gave him a kiss on the cheek. "I love it."

Zander grinned. "Well, Miss Malfoy, what are you going to name her?"

Ashley giggled. "I'm not sure. Any ideas?"

"I don't know," Zander said thoughtfully. He was about to say something else to her when he felt someone thump him on the back of the head.

"Isn't this cosy," Sam said disdainfully. "Malfoy and Murray..."

Zander rolled his eyes in annoyance. "And to what do we owe this extreme displeasure?"

"Didn't mean to interrupt your little reunion," Sam said. "But I am Head Boy and you have patrol, Murray."

"I know I do," Zander said impatiently. "And we all know you're only Head Boy because of your father..."

"Leave it, Zander," Ashley said. "He's not worth it."

"He never is," Zander glared at Sam. "I'll be back later, Ash."

"Thanks again for my gift," Ashley said.

Zander grinned at her again before heading out of the common room.

Sam plopped down on the sofa beside Ashley. "Welcome back."

"Thanks," Ashley said warily.

"You know," Sam said folding his arms. "I know that Murray's missed curfew the last couple of weeks. Coincided with your stay in hospital."

"I'm not sure I know what you're referring to," Ashley said, forcing a pleasant tone.

Sam shook his head and laughed.

Ashley raised an eyebrow. "Is there something else I can help you with?"

"No," Sam said. "But you should tell your friend he needs to remember who's in charge."

Ashley shook her head. "You really are on a power trip, Sam."

"Isn't it grand?" Sam asked before standing up.

She turned away from him and picked up her unicorn and the letters from her boyfriend.

She and Kevin had not been together very long. They had started dating last summer and had written to each other when they could.

She really liked him though- they had a lot in common through their different forms of art. He was easy to talk to and Ashley liked spending time with him.

She picked up her unicorn and smiled. It was such a thoughtful gift from Zander. Her first real friend.

She decided to run it upstairs for safekeeping and to start her letter to Kevin so she could owl it off before dinner.

Corinne was upstairs and after chatting with her other roommate, she set about unpacking her belongings. It would be nice to sleep in her own bed again, but she would miss the late night chats with Zander.

"It's been pretty quiet without you here," Corinne told her. "Brit hasn't been able to dish like she usually does."

Ashley laughed. "I'm sure she'll tell me everything I missed."

"I'm glad you're feeling better," Corinne said. "Wizarding flu is no fun at all."

"Tell me about it," Ashley said.

"I had it when I was younger," Corinne said. "Wiped me out."

Ashley nodded. "I haven't felt that bad in ages."

Corinne smiled ruefully. "There are better things to talk about, aren't there?" she asked. "What's that you just put up there?" she nodded to the unicorn.

"A welcome home present from Zander," Ashley said. "Sort of an inside thing between us."

"It's cute," Corinne said. "I like the sparkles."

"Me too," Ashley said softly.

"I was just going to take a little kip," Corinne said. "Will you wake me up before dinner?"

"Sure," Ashley promised.

"Thanks," Corinne pulled the hangings around her bed, leaving Ashley to work on her letter.

She struggled to think of what to say. She started the letter four times but scratched the words out and crumpled up the parchment.

This was the first time she'd ever had trouble writing to Kevin- her mind kept going back to what her sister had said about Zander back in the hospital wing.

Did her cheeks really flush when she said Zander's name?

Katie was probably exaggerating, she thought. Zander had just really helped her out over the last few weeks.

He was her best friend and they had been through a lot together. The only time things had ever been remotely romantic between them had been that summer when they were thirteen.

That seemed so long ago now, Ashley thought. So much had happened and changed since that time

Ashley had focused mainly on her art and had dated off and on over the years. Zander had his fair share of girlfriends, too.

His latest had been a girl from Hufflepuff, a sweet, quiet girl named Debra.

But, Ashley remembered, the entire time that she had been in hospital, Zander had not mentioned Debra and she had not mentioned Kevin. They talked about other things. He would tell her crazy stories to keep her mind off of her illness and she would talk to him about studying art in Paris or Rome.

Despite being sick, it was two of the best weeks she'd had in a long, long time.

Ashley looked down at her parchment and noticed that she had absently scribbled Zander's name over and over.

She stared at it for a long moment before crumpling it up and tossing it aside. She forced herself to concentrate on her letter.

While Ashley wrote, her younger sister was heading for the library. The library was without a doubt Katie's least favourite place in the whole castle. But, she had an essay to do and she had put it off as long as she could. She wished more than anything to be upstairs with her fellow Slytherins.

With a sigh, she tossed her bag down on a table and headed into the stacks to find the books she needed.

She turned down the aisle for History and smiled when she saw a familiar face. Caroline Weasley was sitting down on the floor, totally engrossed in a book. Ashley's words from earlier played in Katie's head. Katie looked around to make sure that none of her friends were around before she approached the third-year Gryffindor. "Hiya," Katie said, startling Caroline. "Sorry, didn't mean to scare you."

Caroline looked over at her. "No big deal."

"So, you heading to Hogsmeade next weekend?" Katie asked.

"I'll probably go hang out with Mia," Caroline said. "Emma wants me to get her something from Honeydukes."

Katie giggled. "Good old Em. I can't believe she's going to be here next year."

"She was really excited when she got her letter," Caroline replied.

Katie smiled. "This summer, we'll have to help her get ready. It'll be fun going shopping with her...what?"

"You're coming over?" Caroline asked. "And shopping? Really..."

Katie nodded. "Of course. Why wouldn't I?"

Caroline opened her mouth then shook her head. "Nothing. I have to go."

"Wait," Katie said. "Ashley was telling me that your mum sent new photos of Olivia. Can I see?"

Caroline hesitated. "It's in my bag."

"Let me see!" Katie exclaimed eagerly.

Caroline fished in her bag for a moment. "Here it is..."

Katie grinned when she the little girl waving enthusiastically at the camera. "Her hair's getting so long! She looks just like you, Caroline."

Caroline had to grin. "She is so cute. I can't wait to see her during summer hols."

"I bet your mum would let us baby-sit," Katie said.

"Maybe," Caroline took the picture back. She didn't feel like verbally sparring with Katie at the moment, but she didn't like how the other girl always wanted to do things together only when other people weren't around. "I have to go."

Katie nodded. "I have to get started on this essay."

"Good luck," Caroline made a hasty exit.

Katie smiled. She was already making plans in her head for the things she and Caroline could do with Emma and Olivia in Brighton.

"Excuse me Miss Malfoy," the librarian said disapprovingly.

"Yes, miss?" Katie asked turning around.

"If you're here to work, then you need to work," Madam Pince replied crisply. "No loitering is allowed!"

Katie resisted the urge to roll her eyes. "Of course."

"Move along," the older woman urged her.

"You'd be a lot prettier if you wore more colours," Katie said. "That grey and black robe really does nothing for you..."

"I beg your pardon?" Madam Pince looked aghast.

"And coloured your hair," Katie said thoughtfully. "What colour was it originally before it turned all white and stuff?"

"Detention!" Madam Pince barked.

Katie glared at her. "Just for offering helpful advice?"

"For being disrespectful." the librarian said angrily.

"I was not!" Katie argued.

"I will give you another for arguing," Madam Pince snapped.

Katie frowned. She knew nothing good ever came from the library and now she had detention.

"Get your books and move on," Madam Pince glared at her.

Brittany stepped out from behind the stacks and looked at the librarian. "Madam Pince. You really should go easy on Katie. Her sister has been in the hospital wing these last few days and Katie here was worried sick about her. I really don't think she should have to serve a detention do you? I mean, if she says she's sorry..."

"I am sorry," Katie said quickly. "I really am. I didn't mean any disrespect."

"See?" Brittany asked sweetly. "She feels terrible."

"Hm..." Madam Pince looked suspicious. "I'll let it slide, ONCE."

"Thank you," Katie said sweetly. The librarian gave both of them a warning look before disappearing into her office. Katie looked at Brittany. "Thank you. Thank you. Thank you."

Brittany grinned. "You probably shouldn't waste your time offering beauty advice to the librarian."

Katie laughed. "You're probably right. So, did my sister get settled back in?"

Brittany nodded. "She was going to write Kevin a letter when I left."

Katie frowned. She still could not understand why Kevin would go for Ashley when he could have had her. True, he was a bit too old for her, but still.

"He wrote her like four times," Brittany said, oblivious to Katie's expression. "It's soooooo romantic."

"Hmm," Katie muttered, gathering her books.

"Anyways..." Brittany said. "What's up?"

"I'm just ready for school to be over," Katie said with a shrug. "I'm ready to go to Brighton."

"You lot haven't been there in a few years," Brittany commented. "I mean... I know why you guys didn't go last time..."

Katie nodded. "Dad was busy with a new tour with Kevin, and then Aunt Saffy had Edward at the end of May... plus my grandparents had work..."

"Well, we'll have to make up for it this summer," Brittany said.

"Absolutely," Katie replied. "I need a change of scenery."

"Hopefully, Ash will let loose have some fun, too," Brittany said. "All art, all the time..."

Brittany laughed. "We should get her to draw some of those gorgeous blokes that are always around."

"I know," Katie agreed, giggling.

"But she'll probably be too starry eyed over Kevin," Brittany replied. "He IS gorgeous."

"He is," Katie said. "My sister apparently has a thing for musicians."

Brittany grinned. "For the most part they are pretty sexy. I wouldn't mind dating a musician."

"You have your hands full as it is," Katie teased.

Brittany cast another look over at Evan. "Ugh... you've got that right."

Katie shook her head. She was not so sure Brittany was over Evan.

"She's a slag," Brittany muttered. "Always looking for someone on the rebound."

"What was that?" Katie asked.

"Nothing," Brittany said. "I have to get going."

Katie nodded. "Me too. Let my sister know if she needs anything to let me know."

"I will," Brittany said. "Merlin, I can't wait to get out of here. Just a few weeks, and no more school, EVER."

"Rub it in," Katie said rolling her eyes. "Some of us have to come back!"

"It'll go by fast," Brittany said.

"Yeah, yeah," Katie said grabbing her books.

"Pretty soon you'll be sunning it up in Brighton..." Brittany told her. "In your red hot bikini..."

Katie grinned. "Of course."

"That red one you showed me when I was at your house over Christmas hols was killer," Brittany said. "You'll be the talk of the beach in it."

"I can't wait," Katie said. She watched as Brittany distractedly looked to the side. "Evan?"

"He’s a wanker," Brittany replied.

"So you don't mind that he's talking to Miranda?" Katie asked.

Brittany rolled her eyes. "Of course not..."

Katie laughed. "Sure, Brit..."

"It's not a big deal," Brittany said. "I'm meeting Billy after dinner to have a FABULOUS time."

Katie gathered up her belongings. Brittany was about as delusional as Ashley. But, at least, it would prove for an interesting last few weeks at school.

"I'll see you later," Brittany said, her eyes still on Evan and Miranda.

Katie walked out of the library and Brittany decided she would follow, but she stopped when she saw Miranda reach across the table for Evan's hand.

"What a slag," she muttered, glancing back at her sister's friend.

"The nerve," Brittany said. "We've only just broken up...and now he's seeing someone else!"

"Yeah but you have Billy," Katie said. "Just remember that."

"Uh-huh," Brittany said distractedly.

Katie smothered a grin as she headed over to the desk to check out her books. Her parents didn't allow her to date yet, but it didn't stop her from flirting with some of the boys in Slytherin.

What her parents did not know wouldn't hurt them, Katie thought. And Brittany was right, she would look stunning on the beach in her new bikini.

She decided to work on her essay in the Slytherin Common room after all. Perhaps if she played her cards right she could get one of her admirers to help her.

330. Chapter 330 Tears in Heaven

Authors' note: Thanks so much for the great response to the last chapter! We appreciate it more than you know and if you guys have questions, please ask in the reviews and we will try to answer as much as we can. Tonight's chapter will involve Saffron/Andrew and their children as well as Ethan and Maddie. Please read and review!

Saffron was enjoying a day off from practise and was just settling down onto the sofa with a good book and a cup of hot chocolate. With two children under the age of five, it was rare to have a moment's peace so Saffron was going to take it where she could.

She heard footsteps on the stairs and hid a smile when she saw her four-year old daughter appear. Ellie Kirke stuck her lower lip out and stomped her foot.

"What's wrong with you, Little Miss?" Saffron asked.

"Edward has my teddy bear," Ellie said, her eyes teary.

"I thought the two of you were playing together," Saffron said, patting the space beside her on the sofa.

"We were," Ellie said climbing onto the sofa beside her mother. "But then he took my teddy bear!"

"Well," Saffron said. "He's only one-year old, baby."

"He has his own bear," Ellie's lower lip trembled.

Saffron set her book down. "Well, let's go upstairs and see what we can do, then."

Ellie took her mother's hand and they went up the stairs to her bedroom.

Edward was sitting on the floor cuddling Ellie’s bear. "Hi!" he exclaimed when he saw them.

"Hi baby," Saffron smiled at her son. "What have you got there?"

"El bear," Edward said happily.

"Ellie's bear," Saffron said kneeling down. "Your sister wants her bear back."

Edward shook his head. "Mine."

"No," Saffron said. "This is your bear."

"Grandma gave me that one," Ellie said reaching for the bear, but Edward held on as tight as he could.

"Edward Kirke," Saffron said. "Where's Mummy's good boy?"

Edward grinned up at her.

Saffron resisted the urge to smile. "Give Ellie back her bear..." she carefully pried the stuffed toy out of the little boy's arms.

Edward let out a cry. "Mean El!"

Saffron picked him up as Ellie hugged her bear to her. "Ellie is not mean." She kissed his cheek.

Edward put his arms around Saffron's neck.

"It's okay baby," Saffron reassured her son. "Here's your bear."

Edward reached for it. "Kay."

"And I think it's time for both of you to have a kip," Saffron said firmly.

"Yeah," Ellie said pointing her little finger at Edward. "Time for you to kip!"

"And you as well," Saffron replied. "You two should have been down a half hour ago."

Ellie pointed a finger at Edward. "Yeah!"

Saffron shook her head as she set Edward down in his crib. "Come on, El."

Ellie took her mother's hand. "Where's Daddy?"

"He's at practise," Saffron said. "He'll be home soon."

Ellie yawned. "Thanks for getting my bear back, Mummy."

Saffron helped her daughter into bed. "You're welcome, love."

Ellie cuddled her bear to her. "Will you stay with me?"

"I could never turn that down," Saffron said.

Ellie grinned. "Tell me a story."

"What did you want to hear about today?" Saffron asked. "The princess or the dragon?"

Ellie thought this over. "The princess."

"Once upon a time," Saffron began with a grin. "There was a beautiful princess named Elinore Kirke who was locked in a tower..."

"And she had really long beautiful hair like Rapunzel," Ellie continued.

"Gorgeous long brown hair," Saffron detailed. "And the prettiest brown eyes in the world."

Ellie grinned. That was what her father told her all the time.

"And she was very bored up there in the tower," Saffron continued. "Because she had no new books to read!"

"Ooh, Mummy!" Ellie exclaimed. "Don't forget about her royal puppy! Puddles!"

Saffron laughed. "Of course. Her royal puppy Puddles liked to try and help her figure out ways to get down to the bottom of the tower so she could go to the library."

Ellie smiled. "...'cause she liked Puddles and books more than anything in the whole wide world!"

"Well her parents missed her very, very much." Saffron said. "And when they found out where she was, they went to rescue her."

Ellie grinned. "Queen Mummy."

Saffron laughed. "You know I love being the queen."

Ellie giggled.

"When the royal puppy Puddles came and found them to lead them back to Princess Ellie, the king and queen were so happy," Saffron said. "King Andrew climbed up the tower without using Princess Ellie's hair and used his magic to lower her down."

Ellie clapped her little hands.

"And when she got home, Ellie not only had the royal library, but one of her own that was bigger than this house. And she never got bored by having to read the same book ever again," Saffron finished.

Ellie closed her eyes. "Like Grandma's library!"

"That's right," Saffron smoothed Ellie's hair back and kissed her forehead. "I love you, baby girl."

Ellie smiled and a few moments later drifted off to sleep. Saffron sat there for a few minutes just reveling in the moment.

She loved her children more than anything else on the face of the planet. Ellie was a dream come true and Edward had been such a surprise.

Saffron slowly stood up so as not to wake Ellie. She tiptoed into the nursery and smiled as she looked at her son.

Edward James Kirke had just turned a year old and she was proud of how smart he was. He was already talking quite a bit and Ellie loved reciting books and stories to him.

The incident with the teddy bear aside, Ellie and Edward got along quite well.

They loved their cousins, which was good since Ethan and Maddie had managed to have quite a brood. They adored Ashley and Katie as well and Ellie was already making plans to see them. She loved drawing with Ashley and dancing with Katie.

Saffron crept quietly out of Edward's room and headed back downstairs where Puddles sat on the sofa.

"Royal puppy," Saffron said, scratching behind his ears.

Puddles licked her hand, his tail thumping on the cushions.

The fireplace roared to life and Saffron grinned when she saw Andrew.

"Hey," he smiled when he saw her.

"Hey, you," Saffron said watching as he set his duffle bag down and dusted off the soot.

"It's quiet," Andrew said.

"Kip time," Saffron said standing up.

"I see," Andrew put his arms around her and gave her a kiss. "What's up?"

Saffron told him about the teddy bear fight.

"And it begins," Andrew said dramatically. "RJ's probably egging them on."

Saffron followed him into the kitchen. "I told you we shouldn't let him baby-sit."

"The kids love him though," Andrew replied. "I'm starving."

"I made some soup for lunch," Saffron said.

"What kind?" he asked.

"Vegetable," Saffron said with a grin. She knew it was his favourite.

"You know me too well." Andrew slid his arms around her.

Saffron gave him a kiss. "Oh, am I on the menu now as well, Mr. Kirke?"

"You're always dessert on my menu," Andrew nuzzled her ear.

The baby monitor crackled to life with Edward's cries.

"Uh oh," Saffron said. "That was a short kip. I'll be right back."

Andrew gave her a kiss.

She left her husband in the kitchen and hurried up to her son's room. "What's wrong, love?"

Edward reached for her. "Mummy."

Saffron lifted him out. "You know your daddy's home, don't you?"

Edward's eyes lit up. "Daddy?"

Saffron kissed his soft little cheek. "Come on."

Saffron carried him downstairs into the kitchen. Andrew grinned. "There's my boy!"

"Daddy!" Edward exclaimed, reaching for him.

Andrew took him and hugged him tightly. "I missed you today!"

Edward laughed as Andrew tossed him up in the air.

"I was thinking maybe we could go and visit Ethan and Maddie later this week," Saffron said as she warmed a bowl of soup for her husband.

"Sure," Andrew nodded. "Whatever you want. I'd like to see how they're doing."

"They have their hands full," Saffron said.

"Yeah, they do." Andrew nodded. "And to deal with what they've had to deal with on top of it..."

Saffron nodded wordlessly.

"To lose a child..." Andrew shook his head. "I don't know what I'd do if that happened with Ellie or Edward."

"I don't even want to think about that," Saffron said looking fondly at her son who was healthy and happy in his father's arms.

"Me either," Andrew agreed, giving Edward a small spoonful of his soup.

Saffron wondered how Ethan and Maddie were doing today. Ethan had taken some time off work as had Maddie.

"It's been eight months, but I'm sure it still hurts," Andrew said thoughtfully.

Saffron nodded. "I just wish there was something I could do to help."

"Just being there for her helps," Andrew advised. "I think she likes having you there to talk to."

"You really think so?" Saffron asked.

"Sure," Andrew replied.

"Drew helped her too," Saffron said thoughtfully. "I mean, she went through that with Hope."

"Yeah," Andrew nodded thoughtfully. "Still... I don't know what I'd do if it was us."

"I know," Saffron agreed. "Which is why we should never take what we have for granted."

"No way," Andrew said, hugging his son to him.

"Daddy!" Ellie exclaimed, hurrying into the kitchen.

"El!" Andrew said. "How's my girl?"

Ellie stretched her little arms and yawned. "Good!"

"Were you both good for Mummy today?" Andrew asked.

Ellie climbed into Saffron's lap. "Yes until Edward stole my bear."

"No," Edward replied.

"Did too!" Ellie argued.

"No one stole anyone's bear," Andrew replied. "Edward just likes teddy bears."

"Mine," Edward said grinning at his sister.

"No!" Ellie wailed.

"You each have your own bears," Saffron said.

"I just want my bear," Ellie said, tears springing to her eyes.

"Because Grandma gave it to you?" Saffron asked, kissing the top of her head.

"Yes," Ellie sniffled.

Saffron smiled. Hermione had given that bear to Ellie when she was just a few months old.

It was Ellie's favourite toy.

"Don't worry," Saffron reassured her. "Edward doesn't want your bear he just wants his."

Ellie nodded and wiped at her eyes.

Saffron hugged her daughter tightly, burying her face in Ellie's soft hair.

"You okay, Mummy?" Ellie asked.

"I'm fine, baby girl," Saffron said as tears sprang to her eyes. Her conversation with Andrew made her really think of what it would be like if one of her children were gone. The mere thought nearly tore her apart.

"Don't cry," Ellie said softly.

"I won't," Saffron promised, hugging her again.

Andrew smiled at Saffron.

Meanwhile, over at Ethan and Maddie's, Ethan was trying to do his best to rouse his wife out of bed.

"Mads?" Ethan asked gently.

"I'm tired," Maddie said pressing her face into the pillow.

"It's two in the afternoon," Ethan pointed out. "Kiera's helping with the babies and so's Gwyn..."

"They're such good girls," Maddie said quietly.

"They are," Ethan agreed. He put his hand on her shoulder. "And they miss their mum."

Maddie turned to look at him and Ethan had to conceal his shock at her appearance. Her eyes were red and puffy, her hair dirty and limp, and her face was pale white.

"Sweetheart, please," Ethan said. "The babies..."

"I can't," Maddie whimpered. "I know it's been awhile, but I can't let it go."

Ethan put his arms around her. "I know."

Maddie sobbed into her husband's shoulder. "I carried them... for nine months. And I never knew that he wasn't there."

"It's not your fault," Ethan tried to reassure her.

"I should have known," Maddie cried. "And I could have done something."

"There was nothing you could have done," Ethan told her. "Nothing. I miss him too. Every single day."

"Our little Gregory," Maddie let out a shuddery sigh.

Ethan hugged her tightly. "I know, love."

"I just feel like my whole life has fallen apart," Maddie said. "I know I need to be there for my other children but I can't... I can't..."

"You need to talk to someone," Ethan said gently. "Maddie, I don't know what else to do or what to say..."

"I've TRIED that already," she snapped, suddenly angry. "It doesn't work!"

Ethan put his head in his hands. "Maddie..."

"You don't understand," Maddie said harshly. "None of you do."

Ethan sighed. Slowly, he stood up. He was just as sad as Maddie, but he also realised that their daughters and sons needed him. He gave his wife one last look before heading back downstairs.

He went into the sitting room and managed a small smile at his two young daughters who were sitting with their four siblings.

Kiera looked hopefully at her father. "Daddy? Is Mummy going to eat lunch with us?"

"I don’t' think so, sweetheart," Ethan said heavily. "She's tired."

Kiera nodded. "Oh."

"Want to see her," three year old Gwyn squirmed.

"Maybe later," Ethan said reaching for her.

"Now," Gwyn said firmly.

Ethan wondered if maybe that would help. "Um, Kiera? Can you watch your brothers and sisters? I'm going to take Gwyn to see your mum."

"Yes Daddy," Kiera replied.

Ethan took Gwyn's hand and led her upstairs.

"Mummy," Gwyn called ahead of them. "I'm coming, kay?"

Ethan had to smile at this.

He pushed open the door and Gwyn stumbled inside. "Mummy," the little girl said.

Gwyn launched herself onto the bed. "Mummy! Wakey wakey!"

"Mads," Ethan said softly. "She wanted to see you."

Maddie turned and saw Gwyn. "Gwyn..."

"Hi," Gwyn said, reaching for her.

Maddie wiped at her eyes. "Mummy's really tired."

"Even for me?" Gwyn asked.

Maddie shook her head. "No, um, come here..."

Gwyn smiled as Maddie drew her into her arms. "I love you."

Maddie swallowed the lump in her throat. "I love you too, Gwyn."

"Don't be sad," Gwyn said anxiously. "We all love you."

Ethan sat down on the edge of the bed, watching his wife and daughter.

"Baby," Maddie hugged her daughter tightly. "I'm sorry."

Gwyn smiled. "Love Mummy."

"Kiera was really hoping you'd come down and join us to eat," Ethan said. "Come on Mads. It will help, I promise."

"Nana made it," Gwyn told her.

"Nana was here?" Maddie asked.

"She's been helping with meals," Ethan told her. "And so has your mum and dad..."

"Of course," Maddie murmured.

"Kiera and me help too," Gwyn said.

For the first time in a long time, Maddie felt the corners of her mouth curve upwards.

Ethan playfully mussed Gwyn's hair. "She and her sister have been a big help."

Maddie looked up at her husband as Gwyn giggled.

"Why don't we let you get freshened up and we'll go downstairs and set the table?" Ethan asked her.

"Will you help me?" Maddie asked.

"Sure," Ethan replied.

"Go tell Kiki," Gwyn pushed herself off the bed.

"Good girl," Ethan said.

"Can do it myself," Gwyn said when Ethan went to help her. "Big girl."

Ethan held up his hands. "Yes, you are. Miss Independent."

"She's like Saffy," Maddie said softly.

Ethan nodded. "Don't I know it."

Maddie took Ethan's hand that he extended to her. "I can't promise anything right now, Ethan."

"I know," Ethan said giving her hand a squeeze.

Maddie allowed herself to be enveloped in her husband's arms. "I'm sorry, Ethan. I know you're disappointed in me."

Ethan shook his head. "No, Maddie. I'm not disappointed."

"You aren't?" she asked.

Ethan rested his forehead on hers. "Never."

She closed her eyes, trying to stave off more tears.

"I know you're hurting," Ethan said. "But, those children downstairs love you more than anything and they need you too."

"I know," she said quietly.

Ethan kissed her forehead.

"I'm just going to splash my water on my face." she said. "I'll just be a moment."

Ethan nodded. "Okay."

Maddie disappeared in the loo and Ethan heard water running for a few minutes.

Ethan straightened things up in the bedroom. Perhaps this would be a turning point, but then again, he had thought that before.

She came out a few moments later. She still didn't look completely like herself, but she looked better than she had in months.

"What--what did Nana bring over?" Maddie asked.

"Your favourite," Ethan said. "Shepherd's pie."

Maddie reached for his hand. "Sounds great."

Ethan squeezed her hand. "Kiera's going to be excited that you're coming down."

Maddie did not know what she should say or do for her children. She had felt like she let them down.

She followed her husband downstairs and into the sitting room. "There's Mummy," Gwyn said happily.

Kiera beamed at her mother. 'Mummy, you're here!"

"Hello my loves," Maddie knelt down and her daughters rushed into her arms.

Ethan smiled. "Anyone here ready for some lunch?"

"Me," Gwyn replied. "I can eat by myself."

Maddie kissed Gwyn's cheek. "You really are independent, aren't you?"

Gwyn smiled at her.

Kiera giggled. "Come on. Let's eat."

Ethan levitated the seats with their four infants into the kitchen. Maddie followed, studying all six of her children intently.

Kiera looked at her mother. "They're all fine, Mummy. Natasha has a bit of a cold, but other than that, they're all fine."

"Tasha has a cold?" Maddie asked.

Ethan nodded pouring the older children a glass of juice. "She's had the sniffles is all."

Maddie lifted the tiny girl out of the seat and held her closely. "Hi..." she whispered.

Natasha's little nose was red and Maddie patted her back gently.

"I'm sorry I haven't really been here for you," Maddie said softly.

Ethan and Kiera shared a look.

"Sammich, please." Gwyn looked up at her father.

Ethan laughed. "Oh, you'll let me make it for you, then? I thought you wanted to do EVERYTHING yourself."

"I'm not big 'nuff." Gwyn said innocently.

Ethan stood up. "Okay then. Peanut butter and jam?"

"Yes," Gwyn nodded. "Peas..." she remembered to add.

Maddie smiled wistfully at Gwyn. She was so grown up now and very sweet. It struck

Maddie just how much she had missed these last few months.

"Mummy?" Kiera asked. "Want juice?"

Maddie nodded. "That would be lovely."

Kiera smiled at her. "I'm glad you came down, Mummy."

"Me too," Maddie said softly.

Natasha let out a little cry and sniffed.

"It's okay, Tasha," Maddie soothed.

She reached for a tissue and wiped carefully at her daughter's nose.

Kiera smiled and put a glass of juice in front of her mother.

"Thank you, sweetheart," Maddie used her free hand to draw her oldest daughter close to her.

"You're welcome, Mummy," Kiera said happily.

"You remind me of your cousin Caroline," Maddie said softly, tugging at Kiera's sleek blonde hair.

Kiera beamed at her. "Why?"

"You're very sweet, beautiful and helpful," Maddie told her. "Daddy and I couldn't have done it ourselves these past few months."

"I love helping," Kiera reassured her. "I love my brothers and sisters."

"I know you do," Maddie kissed the top of her daughter's head. Kiera had also taken it a bit hard when Gregory had been stillborn. Her unusual ability of predicting a pregnancy and being able to communicate with unborn children fascinated her.

"Mummy, guess what?" Gwyn asked suddenly.

"What, love?" Maddie asked.

Gwyn giggled. "Nothin'."

Maddie had to smile and Ethan chuckled. "Are you cracking jokes without me, Gwyn?"

Gwyn giggledbefore taking a bite of her sandwich.

Maddie gently set Natasha back in her chair. "I'll ask my mum for a potion for her."

Ethan gave his wife a kiss on the top of her head as he set a plate of Molly's Shepherd's Pie before her.

Maddie's stomach rumbled and she realised she hadn't eaten in a few days. "This smells wonderful," she admitted.

"There's loads of it," Ethan told her. "And she sent over some biscuits."

Maddie nodded and dug into the pie. "Ethan? Can you ask Drew to come over?"

Ethan looked at her in surprise. "Yes...of course."

"Just later this afternoon sometime," Maddie said. "I want to talk to her... again."

Ethan grinned. "I'll owl her right now."

"Thanks," Maddie said softly. She had talked about what had happened with her sister extensively, but she didn't feel like she'd gotten everything out yet.

And it was like Ethan had said, if anyone could understand what she was going through, it was Drew.

Kiera sat next to her brother. "Christian," she giggled. "What have you got there?"

Christian stared back at her, his green eyes twinkling.

"He's got that look, doesn't he?" Maddie asked softly.

"Just like Daddy," Kiera giggled.

"Yes," Maddie agreed. "He does look just like your father."

"Ah, he's cuter," Ethan said with a grin. "I'll be back in a minute. Going to write to Drew."

"Thank you," Maddie said gratefully.

Maddie watched as Gwyn happily ate her sandwich. It had been eight months, she realised. Eight months of grief. Ethan was right. She needed to start picking up the pieces of her life and move on. Her children needed her.

She thought about how hard this was on Ethan. She had not leaned on him at all during this and she had not really been there for him. He had lost a son, too.

It had been the worst day of her life. Everything had gone fine during the pregnancy- they were so excited to expect five children, even if it was all at once. And then, after the other four had been born, Gregory arrived.

No cries had accompanied his arrival into the world and Maddie and Ethan's immense joy had turned into intense worry.

His little face and body were so pale, whereas all the other babies were pink. His tiny eyes were screwed shut.

"Why isn't he crying?" Maddie had asked hysterically. "What's wrong with him?"

"I'm afraid..." the healer looked stricken. "I'm afraid your son is stillborn."

Maddie looked at Ethan. "No---"

"How?" Ethan demanded.

"How could this have happened?" Maddie asked.

"Sometimes the other children absorb all the nutrients," the healer explained. "It's possible that--"

Maddie vehemently shook her head and looked up at Ethan. Tears were streaming down her cheeks.

"We did everything right!" Ethan said angrily, staring at the little body in front of him. "How the hell could this happen?"

"I'm so sorry, Mr. Potter," the healer said.

"Ethan," Maddie wailed.

Ethan was still in shock, but he managed to put his arms around his wife.

"No," Maddie sobbed. "Not our son. Please not our son."

In the present, Maddie could still see her son's small, lifeless body. Tears welled up in her eyes once more at the memory.

"Mummy?" Kiera asked in alarm.

Maddie stood up. "I'm---I'm sorry. I can't do this---"

Ethan appeared in the doorway. "Maddie... sit."

Maddie froze.

"We aren't going to do this again," Ethan told her. "I feel the same way you do, but--"

"He should be here," Maddie whispered.

"Yes he should," Ethan said. "But we have six other children who need us."

Maddie turned and looked at her scared oldest daughters and the four babies.

"We need you to pull it together," Ethan told her gently.

Maddie wiped at her eyes. She nodded. "I'm trying."

"I miss him too," Ethan said. "And we'll always love our son. But we have to keep going."

"Please?" Kiera asked.

"I'm trying," Maddie said again.

Ethan put his arms around her and held her tightly.

Gwyn forgot about the rest of her lunch as she ran over to her mother. "I love you."

Maddie knelt down and hugged her. "Thank you, baby. I love you, too. Don't be scared."

"I never heard him in there," Kiera offered quietly.

Ethan put his arm around her.

"I tried to," Kiera said. "I talked to everyone else but him."

"It's not your fault," Ethan said looking at her. "It wasn't anyone's fault."

"I wish I had heard him," Kiera said. "I wish I had."

"It's not your fault, sweetheart," Ethan said firmly. "Not at all."

"Your daddy is right," Maddie said.

Kiera looked over at her mother.

"There was nothing anyone could have done," Maddie said softly. "It's been so hard for me to accept that, but it's the truth."

Ethan regarded his wife warily. He wanted to believe she was finally starting to snap out of this, but he wasn't sure.

Kiera hugged her mother. Maddie buried her face in her daughter's hair. "I'm sorry, baby. I don't blame you for not hearing your brother in there. None of this is your fault."

"It's not yours either, Mummy," Kiera said quietly.

"I should have--" Maddie began.

"No," Ethan interjected. "No, Maddie."

"Ethan--" she began again.

"No," he said firmly. "You're not going down this road again. We can't."

"I want you to be happy again," Kiera said. "So does Gwyn."

"And Blue," Gwyn chimed in.

"Of course Blue does," Maddie said, wiping at her eyes.

Kiera laughed. "He's missed you."

Maddie sniffed. "I've neglected him."

"Today we're all starting over," Ethan said putting his arm around his wife. "Right?"

"I want to try," Maddie nodded.

Maddie looked at her children and realised that she meant that. Perhaps talking with Drew would help.

331. Chapter 331 A Day in the Park

Authors' note: This chapter is a little short, but we hope that you guys will enjoy it just the same. We know a few people have been confused about ages and things, but we are working on putting something up in the next few days on the orkut group to kind of clear things up. Thanks so much for the great responses to the time jump chapters. This week gets you caught up with Darla. As always, we thank you guys for continuing to read and we just ask that you leave a review to let us know what you think!

And for those of you who would like something to read while you wait for our next chapter, we highly recommend Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead. A great series that hooked both of us right from the start.

"Rafe!" Darla said, laughing as her four year old son ran away from her. "You need to put your shoes on!"

"Catch me first!" Rafe called out over his shoulder.

The little boy had almost gotten to the door when he was swept up. "Are you causing trouble again?" Liam asked with a grin.

Rafe laughed. "Put me down!"

"Only with shoes on," Liam told him. "You know you can't go outside without them."

"Where are we going?" Rafe asked as Liam set him down.

"We're going to the park," Liam told him.

Rafe grinned. "I love the park."

Liam hugged him. "I know you do, buddy."

Darla smiled from the doorway. She and Liam had been dating for three years and things had been great. Hans was still busy with his career, but he saw Rafe when he could. She and Hans were friendly, which Darla knew was good for Rafe. It had taken them a long time to get where they were, but they both wanted to give Rafe a happy childhood.

Rafe had come to love Liam and it made Darla's heart swell to see the way the two of them interacted with each other. She gave them one last look before heading downstairs to make sure she had everything packed and ready.

"Can you push me on the swings?" Rafe asked Liam.

Liam pretended to think about it. "I think that can be arranged." He looked over his shoulder to make sure that Darla wasn't around. "There's actually something I wanted to talk to you about, Rafe."

"What?" Rafe asked curiously.

Liam reached into his pocket and pulled out a small box. He opened it up to reveal the ring he hoped to give to Darla that day. "You think your mum will like this?"

Rafe's eyes widened. "That's big!"

Liam grinned. "Well, I was thinking of giving this to your mum today. But, since you're the man of the house, I thought I would run it past you first. To see if you'd be okay with me asking her to marry me."

"Would you get to live here all the time?" Rafe asked.

Liam nodded. "Only if it was okay with you, buddy."

Rafe tipped his head to the side. "I think it's okay. Mummy really loves you."

"I really love you and your mum very much," Liam said.

"We love you too," the little boy hugged him.

"What's going on slowpokes?" Darla asked from the doorway.

"Nothing," Liam shoved the ring back into his pocket. "Rafe's just going to put his shoes on."

Darla grinned. "I just finished loading up the picnic basket."

"YUM!" Rafe shouted. "Eat now!"

Darla laughed. "No, buddy. We have to wait until we're at the park. We'd get there faster if someone would put his shoes on though..."

Rafe ran into the kitchen and Liam laughed. "Nothing like the promise of food..."

"We're Weasleys," Darla grinned reaching for his hand. "And this was a perfect idea you had. It's been ages since I had a picnic."

"Same here," Liam drew her close. "And nothing like spending the day with the people I love."

Darla smiled. "And the night?"

"I'll always spend the night when you want me to," he said softly.

Darla leaned in for a kiss.

"Love you," he said with a grin when they pulled apart.

"Love you," Darla echoed, just as Rafe called out for them from the kitchen. "Come on. Let's go!"

"You are a very impatient little boy," Darla teased her son.

Rafe grinned up at her. "Come on, Mummy!"

"I'm coming," Darla took his hand as Liam grabbed the picnic basket.

The three of them headed for the park. Liam was uncharacteristically silent and Darla wondered what was on his mind. Perhaps, he had heard from his parents?

"You okay?" she asked.

"Fine," Liam replied.

He wasn't telling her something, Darla figured.

"So," Darla said to her son. "What are you going to want to do first?"

"The slide," Rafe said immediately.

Darla grinned. "Your favourite..."

"And then after I eat, you can push me on the swings," Rafe sent his mother a charming grin.

Darla laughed. "Oh, that would be an honour."

"I know," he said, laughing.

It seemed as if there were other people with the same idea. The park was nearly full with people enjoying the sun and warm weather. They found an empty space under the trees and set up the blanket.

"You go play until we're done getting everything out," Darla told her son. "But don't go far."

Rafe nodded. "Kay, Mummy."

"He's such a good kid," Liam said, watching as the little boy ran off.

"He is," Darla said, setting the food out on the blanket.

Liam stuck his hand in his pocket and felt the little box. Was this the right time, he wondered.

"So, are you going to tell me what's going on?" Darla asked.

"What?" he jumped. "What are you talking about?"

Darla giggled. "You didn't say anything on the walk over here."

"Just enjoying the weather," Liam covered.

Darla did not believe him for a moment, but she decided to let it go for now.

"Rafe!" she called.

The little boy ran back over to them. "Ready?"

"Dig in, mate." Liam told him.

Rafe grinned and reached for a sandwich.

"Don't you eat too fast," Darla said. "You can play after you're done."

Rafe happily dug into the peanut butter sandwich. "I didn't miss it, did I?"

"Miss what?" Darla asked him.

From behind Darla, Liam was shaking his head.

"Nothing," Rafe said impishly.

Darla looked over at Liam who wore a matching expression on his face. "What is going on here?"

"Nothing," Rafe said again, laughing.

Darla couldn't resist laughing, too. "Apparently this is some boys only secret that I'm not

supposed to know, eh?

"Not yet," Rafe said before taking another bite of his sandwich.

"Juice?" Liam asked, eager to change the subject.

"Yes please," Rafe nodded as Darla looked suspiciously at them both.

Liam grinned and handed Rafe a juice box.

Darla closed her eyes as a soft breeze blew by. "This is absolutely lovely..."

"Perfect," Liam agreed.

She opened her eyes and smiled at him.

"You know what might make it even better?" Liam asked.

"What's that?" she asked.

"If you'd stand up," Liam told her with a grin.

"What?" Darla was confused.

"Stand up, please," Liam told her.

Darla uncertainly got to her feet. "Okay..."

Liam stood up, too. He tried to collect his thoughts. He had spent hours thinking over how he would ask this and now that the moment was here, he wasn't quite sure what to say. He smiled at Darla and slowly got down on one knee.

Darla gasped as she realised what was going on. "Liam!"

Liam pulled the ring from his pocket. "Darla, these last three years have been the happiest of my life. I feel like I finally have a home and a family with you and Rafe. I was hoping that you would do me the great honour of being my wife. Will you marry me?"

"You should say yes," Rafe told his mother.

Darla looked over at her son who was grinning. He obviously knew about this and he obviously was okay with it. She turned back to Liam and felt tears welling up in her eyes.

"Yes," she answered. "Yes."

Liam looked up at her. "You will?"

Darla nodded. "I love you, Liam."

Liam slid the ring onto her finger. "I love you too, Darla."

Rafe made a face. "Are you going to kiss?"

Darla laughed. "Just a quick one, love."

"Eww," Rafe replied.

Darla put her arms around Liam and hugged him tightly.

"Come here mate," Liam said to his soon to be stepson. "You deserve a part in this one."

Rafe set his sandwich down and walked over to them. He was engulfed in a hug and he laughed. "This is about like Nana Molly's hugs!"

"Yes it is," Darla kissed his cheek.

Liam mussed Rafe's hair. "I asked his permission before I asked you."

"Cause I'm man of the house," Rafe recited.

Darla smiled. "Yes, you are."

Rafe grinned at his mother. "It's a big ring."

Darla held out her hand and looked at her ring. "It's beautiful."

"Like you," Liam tucked a strand of her long red hair behind her ear.

Darla gave him a kiss. "Oh, Liam."

"I'll make you happy," he whispered to her as Rafe went back to his meal.

"You already have," Darla told him.

"Happier, then." Liam told her.

Darla leaned against him. "So this was why you were so quiet on the way over here. Nervous?"

"A little," he confessed.

Darla smiled. "You did brilliantly."

He gave her another kiss.

"Mummy, when are you going to get married?" Rafe asked.

Darla laughed. "I don't know. What do you think?"

Rafe thought this over. "Tomorrow?"

Liam laughed too. "It doesn't happen that quickly, mate."

"He should know since he sees his aunt and me put them together," Darla said tugging affectionately at her son's shoe.

"It's girly stuff," Rafe made a face.

"Don't you want to be in the wedding?" Darla asked him.

"What do I have to do?" he asked suspiciously.

"Wear a nice suit and have your grandmother gush about how cute you look," Darla teased.

Rafe made another face. "Mummy!"

Liam laughed. "How about something even more important then?"

"What?" Rafe asked.

Liam looked at him. "How about best man?"

Rafe's eyes widened, as did Darla's.

"Isn't that supposed to be your best mate?" Rafe asked.

Liam had several friends he could have asked- including his brother, but he shook his head.

"If you're up for it, I think you're the best man for the job."

"Really?" Rafe asked excitedly. "That's pretty cool."

"That's really nice of you," Darla said to him.

Liam grinned. "There's no one else I could imagine standing up there with me."

"Cool," Rafe sent his soon to be stepfather a grin.

Darla squeezed Liam's hand.

"I would like a small wedding," Darla said to him. "Nothing big... just family and some close friends."

Liam nodded in agreement. "Whatever you want. You are the expert after all."

Darla laughed. "When did you want to be married?"

"Well, it's May now," Liam replied.

"August?" Darla asked.

"Sure," Liam replied.

"It's always a nice month for a wedding," Darla told him.

"August it is," Liam said.

"The fourth," Rafe said.

"The fourth?" Darla asked. "Why the fourth?"

"Cause I like that day," Rafe said innocently.

Darla reached for her bag and pulled out her planner. She flipped through until she reached August and grinned. "It's on a Friday."

"I think that sounds perfect," Liam said.

"I can't wait to tell Drew!" Darla said excitedly.

"I hope she'll be happy too," Liam replied.

"Are you kidding?" Darla asked. "She's going to be over the moon. She kept asking me when you were going to propose..."

"I thought about mentioning it to her, but I did go see your dad about it," Liam told her.

Darla smiled. "You did?"

"He was pretty happy to see me ask," Liam said.

Rafe finished his sandwich and reached for some crisps. "Mummy, is Daddy going to come?"

"Umm... probably not." Darla replied.

"Oh," Rafe said thoughtfully.

"If your daddy gets remarried, I wouldn't go to his wedding," Darla said. "It doesn't work that way."

"Is Daddy going to marry Michelle?" Rafe asked, referring to his father's current girlfriend.

"I don't know," Darla smoothed his hair back. "I hope he does, if that makes him happy."

"Like you and Liam?" Rafe asked.

"Just like that," Darla told him.

Rafe spotted one of his friends from school and he asked Darla if he could go and play.

"Go ahead," Darla said. "But don't go far."

Rafe gave her a kiss on the cheek before running off to join his friend.

Liam chuckled. "He's a funny kid."

"He is," Darla said turning to look at Liam. "And you were so sweet to ask him to be your best man."

"He's important to me," Liam said as they leaned back on the blanket together. "I want him to know that."

"He does," Darla said touching Liam's cheek. "And it meant a lot to me that you asked him first, too."

Liam leaned in and gave her a kiss. "I wanted to do everything right."

"You did," Darla said. "You sure you haven't done this before?"

Liam shook his head. "I always thought I'd be retiring before I wound up getting married."

Darla smiled. "You just hadn't met the right girl..."

"Not until you walked into my exam room," he said, twirling a lock of her hair around his finger.

"I'll have to thank Lizzy for going into practise with you," Darla said softly.

"And for being late that morning so you had to come see me," Liam brushed his lips over hers.

"And my mother always told me that being late would only lead to trouble," Darla grinned.

"In this case--" Liam began jokingly.

Darla cut him off with a kiss.

"I was going to say that the early bird catches the worm," Liam said when they pulled apart.

"I know what I'd like to catch," Darla said huskily.

"You already have me," he said softly.

"Well," Darla said. "Tonight after Rafe goes to sleep, I think we can celebrate our engagement properly..."

"I like the way you think," Liam replied. "I'll bring the champagne."

Darla smiled and leaned against him again. They watched Rafe playing happily with his friend.

"I hope this will cheer Maddie up," Darla said. "Maybe helping us out will take her mind off Gregory."

"How's she doing?" Liam asked.

"Okay," Darla said. "Drew goes over there nearly every day and Maddie just cries on her shoulder. I think Ethan's at his wits end- he doesn't know what else to do."

"She should talk to someone," Liam said. "She and Ethan both."

"They have," Darla replied. "She's doing better than she was. Last week she was still moping in bed, but this week she's been up and about. Her other babies need her, and I think she finally realized that."

"That's a big step," Liam said thoughtfully.

"I'm proud of her," Darla said. "I can't imagine what I'd be like if I lost Rafe."

"She's lucky to have such a good support system," Liam said.

Darla nodded. "It wasn't easy on Drew when it happened to her. She only had me."

"Hope," Liam said quietly.

Darla nodded.

"How old would she be now?" Liam asked.

"Ten or eleven," Darla replied.

Liam put his arms around her and hugged her tightly.

"It was a tough time, but we got through it," Darla said. "Maddie will be okay... eventually.

It's just going through the healing process."

Liam nodded.

"Anyway," Darla said. "It's a happy day. I'm engaged to the man I love."

Liam grinned and gave her a kiss. "This is just the beginning, Darla."

332. Chapter 332 A Son's Memories

Authors' note: Not going to say anything in the authors' note here other than that we appreciate all of you for reading the chapters and just ask that you please take a moment after reading to let us know what you think.

It had only been five months since Frank and Alice's relapse, and their son was still having a hard time dealing with the aftermath. Neville knew he had been lucky to have the small amount of time with them that he had, but it did not make it hurt any less.

He kept himself as busy as he could, but still made sure that he visited his parents at least once a week.They were shadows of the people they had once been and it pained Neville to see them like that.

"Nev," his wife came up behind him. "Allie and Jon will be here with the kids any minute."

Neville turned. "Right."

Cho smiled at him. "Feeling all right today?"

Neville reached for her hand. "I'm---I'm okay."

"I know it still hurts," Cho said. "I miss them too."

Neville nodded. "I'm just happy we had the time we did."

"Me too," Cho said softly. "Short as it was..."

The fireplace came to life and Allison, Jon and their brood arrived. Eleven year old Emma Weasley led the way, holding the hand of her three-year old sister, Olivia. Adam was the spitting image of his father at the age of six.

"Grandpa!" Olivia squealed, breaking away from Emma.

Neville grinned and held open his arms. "Livvie!"

"I missed you," Olivia told her grandfather.

"I've missed you too," Neville said picking her up and sitting her in his lap.

"Emma was bad this morning," Adam reported with a teasing gleam in his eye.

Emma sighed. "I was not, Adam."

"Emma's not a bad girl," Cho said. "She's a lovely young lady."

"Thank you, Grandma," Emma said giving her a hug.

"I can't believe you're going to Hogwarts next year," Cho said. "Is Caroline getting everyone ready for you?"

Emma giggled. "She'd better. I'm going to take that castle by storm, Grandma."

"And bring me sweets," Adam added with a grin.

"I might," Emma said coyly.

"Sissy be home soon," Olivia said happily. "Right, Mummy?"

"That's right," Allison said. "Caroline's almost done with school."

Olivia clapped her hands and smiled at Neville. He couldn't resist smiling back.

"No sad," Olivia told him.

Neville tickled her side. "No sad."

"Mummy says Olivia's just like me when I was three," Emma told them. "I was pretty funny!"

"You were adorable," Jon agreed. "Still are."

Emma grinned. "I know."

"You used to go around saying, 'Em want to eat'," Cho recalled fondly.

"She still eats all the time," Adam replied.

"I love to eat," Emma said. "And I love to help Mummy cook."

"She's one of my best helpers," Allison smoothed Emma's unruly red hair.

Neville smiled as he remembered Emma helping his mother bake biscuits last year at Christmas. He could still see his granddaughter in a matching apron with Alice, happily mixing batter while Alice hummed Christmas carols.

"I have something for you, Grandpa," Emma said, handing him a photo.

"What's this?" Neville asked taking it from her.

"Me and Grandma Alice," Emma replied. "I want you to have it."

Neville smiled. "Sweetheart...."

"She's so pretty," Emma said. "I love her. I miss her a lot."

Neville nodded. "She--she loved you all very much."

"We know, Dad." Allison said softly. "I wish they were still here with us."

"We were so lucky," Neville said. "To have them for even just a short amount of time."

Cho nodded. "Yes, we were." She remembered the days leading up to Frank and Alice's relapse. It hadn't happened exactly at the same time, but very close together. The weeks before it had been confusing; Frank was mixing up days and dates, and Alice would sit for a few hours at a time and stare off into space.

At first, Neville had tried to play it off. "It's just side effects," he had said. "I'll mention it to the healers."

He had beaten himself up over that these last few months. What if he had listened to Cho's concerns earlier? What if he had paid attention to the warning signs? He had begged the healers to cure them again, offered all kinds of gold, but the healers had refused. Their research had shown doing this again would kill off any remaining brain activity.

So, Neville had to accept what had happened. There was nothing he could do and that was beyond frustrating.

"Nev," Cho's voice brought him out of his thoughts.

Neville looked over at her. "Yeah? Sorry..."

Cho put her hand on his arm comfortingly. "Emma wants to know if you can show her how to make your special spaghetti."

"Please, Grandpa?" Emma asked. "Mummy's tried to show me but it never tastes as good as yours."

Allison laughed ruefully. "There's something about the way you make it, Dad."

Neville stood up. "Special family secret, Em, but since you are my granddaughter, I will show you."

Emma clapped her hands. "Someday, I'll teach Livvie."

Jon smiled and patted his stomach. "And I'll eat it."

"If Em don't eat it all first," Olivia piped up.

Neville knew that this was just what he needed to make him feel better. "Maybe we'll make it for Hannah and Caroline for their welcome home from Hogwarts."

Emma clapped her hands. "Caroline will love that."

"Come along, Miss Weasley," Neville said taking Emma's hand.

Emma eagerly followed him in the kitchen. "I've been waiting for this day!"

Neville chuckled as he handed Emma her red apron. Alice had embroidered Emma's name on it.

Emma looked at it thoughtfully. "Is it okay to feel sad about Grandma and Grandpa?"

Neville nodded. "Of course."

"Cause I really do," Emma said, tying the apron on. "A lot of the time. But I don't really say anything because I don't want you to be sad."

Neville looked at his granddaughter. "You don't have to hide how you feel at my expense, Emma. I'm sad, too. You can talk about it with me anytime. I'm sorry if I made you feel like you had to hide it."

"Mummy told me I should only talk about it with her," Emma said. "Cause none of us want you to be sad anymore."

"It's okay," Neville reassured her.

Emma reached over to give him a hug.

"They both loved you very much," Neville told her. "They thought you were hilarious."

"I always like to make people laugh," Emma replied.

Neville grinned. "You always have."

"It's what I do best," Emma quoted.

Neville nudged her. "Well, let's see if we can add spaghetti making to that, Em. First, you have to promise not to tell anyone who is not a Longbottom about this."

"Cross my heart," Emma said solemnly.

Neville shook her hand. "Okay, then."

Allison looked over at her mother. “How’s dad doing, really?

"He's coping," Cho said thoughtfully. "Some days are worse."

"I've been worried about him," Allison said.

"I think bringing the kids here is just what he needed," Cho said lifting Olivia into her arms.

"Hello, pretty girl. You know, you were just a baby when your great-grandfather and great-grandmother had their first Christmas with us."

Jon smiled. "It was your first Christmas, too, Livvie."

"Was I funny?" Olivia asked.

"You were just a few months old then," Jon told her.

"But you were funny," Cho kissed her granddaughter's cheek.

Olivia smiled. "What was it like?"

"You got lots of presents," Adam recalled.

"I did?" Olivia asked eagerly.

"More than anyone," Adam said. "Grandpa Frank and Grandma Alice got everyone loads of stuff..."

Cho smiled at the memory.

Neville had wanted to make the holiday special since it was the first real Christmas he could remember having with his parents. For so many years, he had made his way to St. Mungos with his grandmother to visit them. His only gift from them would be an old bubblegum wrapper. He treasured them though because it made it seem...real.

"The tree is lit, hot chocolate ready, and breakfast all set," Neville announced. "Happy Christmas!"

Alice smiled. "Neville, this is---"

"The Christmas I always wanted," Neville hugged his mother.

Alice hugged him tightly. "A few years too late."

"Better late than never," Neville quipped. "Everyone should be here soon."

"I can't wait to see them," Alice said looking at the tree. "And for them to open their presents..."

Frank laughed and put his hand on his wife's shoulder. "Alice, you bought out that toy shoppe."

"I couldn't resist," Alice replied. "Our first Christmas with our grandchildren... they deserve to be spoiled properly."

"Isabelle will love the dollhouse," Neville told her. "She's wanted that one for ages."

"Good," Alice said happily. "I can't wait for everyone to arrive."

Neville grinned, almost busting at the seams as it were. Cho laughed at the expression on his face.

"Our first real family Christmas," Neville said. "I better make sure I have my camera ready."

Frankie, Will, Hannah and the twins arrived first. Alice engulfed all three of her great-grandchildren in a bear hug. "My Hannah, my Nathan and my Izzie.."

"Happy Christmas Grandma!" Hannah said. "I made you a present!"

Alice touched Hannah's cheek. "Sweetheart, having you here is present enough."

Hannah grinned at her. "Well... we all made it. It's really for both of you."

Nathan waved at Frank. "Open it!"

"Right now?" Frank asked.

Frankie laughed. "You'd better. The three of them might revolt if you don't."

Frank sat down with the package. He opened it to reveal a framed picture with Hannah and the twins grinning and waving at the camera. At the edges were three handprints.

"That's mine," Hannah pointed out. "That one there is Izzie's. And that one is Nathan's."

"This is lovely," Alice said. "I'm going to hang this in our bedroom so we can see it every day."

The three children beamed at her. Nathan climbed up on Frank's lap to give him a hug.

"Love Grandpa," Nathan told him.

Frank mussed Nathan's hair. "I love you, too, Nathan."

Isabelle caught sight of the mountain of presents by the tree and her eyes jumped. "Are those all for me?"

"Those are for you, your brother and sister and your cousins," Frankie told her.

"Oh," Isabelle nodded. "Can we open them now?"

"We have to wait for everyone to arrive, love," Cho told her.

"Come on Izzie," Hannah took her sister's hand. "We can help Grandma and Grandpa hang this up."

"Kay," Isabelle said.

It wasn't long before Allison and Jon arrived with their children. Caroline was full of tales of her first few months at Hogwarts.

Alice listened intently, but could sense a sadness from Caroline when she mentioned Katie. Alice took her aside.

"It just hurts, Grandma," Caroline confessed. "Katie's been my best friend for so many years and now...she acts like she doesn't know me."

"Sometimes when you're young, you don't know what you want," Alice said. "And you hurt other people in your own confusion."

Caroline nodded. "What can I do when she makes fun of Mia and me in front of her friends?"

"You should hold your head high and walk away," Alice told her. "Never be afraid to show who you are inside."

Caroline smiled and hugged Alice. "Thanks, Grandma."

Alice was happy to have helped her great granddaughter. "Anytime you want to talk, I'll listen."

"I've loved writing to you," Caroline said. "And getting your letters."

"I've enjoyed that too," Alice told her.

"Grandma!" Emma exclaimed. "Sukie and Mas are here! Time for breakfast!"

Alice laughed. "Come on love. We'd better go grab something before it's all gone."

Caroline laughed when she and Alice entered the dining room to find Emma directing everyone where to sit.

"I'll sit next to Hannah," Emma said. "And Sukie on my other side."

"Me!" Isabelle raised her hand.

"You can sit next to me," Hannah promised her. "I won't leave you out."

Frank lifted Emma up and spun her around. "And what about me, Miss Weasley? Where are you going to sit me?"

"At the head of the table!" Emma giggled.

"Right where he belongs," Neville said grinning at his father.

Everyone found their seats and Neville began levitating the food into the dining room. "I made lots," he said. "And no, Cho didn't help..."

This was greeted with laughter and good-natured teasing at Cho's cooking abilities.

"I could always make some pancakes," Cho said jokingly.

"No, dear," Alice said shaking her head. "That's fine..."

"Mum and Dad have already been treating to some of Cho's meals," Neville joked, grinning at his wife.

"They were very polite because they didn't want to hurt my feelings," Cho said, sharing a look with Frank.

"It wasn't that bad," Frank replied. "We just ate around the burned bits."

Emma scrunched her nose up. "Never, ever eat Grandma's cooking."

"Emma!" Allison admonished.

"That's what Daddy says," Emma said innocently.

Jon's face turned bright red. "I never said that, Em. I just said to um... be careful what you eat."

Cho laughed. "Very good advice, Jon."

"Sorry, Daddy." Emma said sheepishly.

"It's okay, Em," Jon said. "I'm used to being in the doghouse."

Adam laughed. "Daddy you can't sleep with Maxi."

"The doghouse," Frank tried to explain, "is where we go when we're in trouble."

"Em should go there," Adam replied.

Emma glared at him and was about to say something in response when Alice set a tray of waffles before her. "Dig in, sweetheart."

"Yum!" Emma was distracted. "I want one with lots of syrup!"

Neville watched his mother as she helped the children with their food. The grandchildren clearly adored her.

They still had their good days and bad days, but the good days definitely were more than the latter. Harry was also enjoying hearing tales about his parents.

Allison was sitting with Olivia and Frank offered to take the baby so Allison could eat. "This is your first Christmas, Grandpa. You go ahead..."

"Nonsense," Frank said. "I'm not that hungry yet and I'd love to be able to hold her for more than thirty seconds."

Allison smiled. "Okay, then." She gingerly handed Olivia to Frank.

"Hi there," Frank said to the tiny baby. "Hopefully I'll get to hold you for a bit..."

Olivia looked up at him and smacked her lips.

Frank laughed. "You look just like your mother."

Allison smiled. "She's much cuter, I think."

"We always say that," Frank bounced Olivia gently.

Chiaki laughed. "You're quite good with her, Grandpa."

"I missed out on holding everyone else like this," Frank replied. "I don't want to miss a moment now."

Chiaki reached over and squeezed his hand.

"Everybody hurry so we can open presents," Sukie said eagerly.

"You can't rush food," Emma told her.

All the adults roared at her comment. Emma looked confused. "It's what Grandpa Ron tells me..."

"Little Ron," Neville said affectionately to his granddaughter.

Jon shuddered. "We were nicer to our kids than Nana was with their names. Bilius? Ginevra?"

"Percy," Chiaki said grimacing.

"It's pretty bad," Hannah agreed with a giggle.

"Presents!" Sukie tried to remind them.

"Finish your eggs," Toshio told his daughter.

Sukie sighed. "Okay, Daddy."

"I'm done with mine," Mas announced.

"Good boy," Chiaki said to him.

Sukie made a face at her brother and hurried to finish her own breakfast.

The family finished their breakfast and afterwards they gathered in the sitting room to open presents. Alice and Frank happily watched as the children opened their gifts.

"My dollhouse!" Isabelle screamed. "I got my dollhouse!"

Neville nudged his mother. "Told you she'd love it."

"What do you say?" Frankie prompted her daughter.

Isabelle ran over to Alice and threw her arms around her. "Thank you so much, Grandma!"

"You're welcome, my darling," Alice hugged her tightly. "I love you so much."

"I love you too," Isabelle said happily.

"I love my books," Hannah said. "Thank you!"

Frank smiled. "Your mum helped us."

Hannah grinned at her mother. "We can read these later, right?"

"Absolutely," Frankie promised. She looked over at her grandfather. "You know, Frank Longbottom, you've just about put Santa Claus to shame."

Frank laughed. "We couldn't help ourselves."

Alice nodded. "We wanted to do it."

Frankie hugged her grandparents. "You just made Isabelle that happiest girl in the world.

Thank you so much."

"All of you have made us so happy," Alice said wiping at her eyes. "This is our first Christmas with all of you and...and I know we'll have many more. I just wanted to make this one really special."

"It would be special even if you didn't give us anything," Caroline said. "We're all happy you're here."

"Me too," Neville chimed in.

"Thank you," Alice said as Frank put his arm around her.

Hannah looked at Frank. "Grandpa, this one is for you. It says 'from Mum and Dad'." She handed him a box.

"You didn't have to get anything for us," Alice protested.

"We wanted to," Neville said.

Alice carefully unwrapped the box and Frank looked over her shoulder as she opened it.

"Neville," Alice gasped.

Neville had found some old photographs in one of his Gran's boxes of his parents' wedding.

He'd had them put together in a nice leather bound album for them.

Frank grinned at his son. "Thanks, Neville..."

"You're welcome," Neville said. "Cho and I had fun looking through those."

"You had some funny looking hair, Grandpa," Emma commented.

Frank chuckled. "Emma, that was the seventies. It was the style then."

"I don't like it," Emma wrinkled her nose.

Frankie grinned. "Grandpa, didn't know you had an afro..."

Frank laughed. "Quite the American style, wouldn't you say?"

"I made him cut it for the wedding," Alice said. "And he looked very handsome."

"You both look so happy and in love," Cho said. "That hasn't changed."

Alice looked at Frank. "We've been through so much together."

Frank squeezed her hand. "We have the rest of our lives now for more."

"Here, here," Neville said beaming at the two of them.

Allison sighed. "That was a lovely Christmas," she said. "Frankie told me Isabelle won't let anyone move the dollhouse out of her room."

"I want a dollhouse like that," Olivia said.

"Maybe if you're a good girl for Christmas this year Santa will bring you one," Jon told her.

Olivia grinned. "Always good."

"You are," Jon kissed her cheek.

Olivia beamed at him. "Sketti ready?"

"Why don't we go check," Jon said, standing up and swinging his daughter into the air.

Olivia giggled. "Kay."

"Something smells good in here," Jon said, bringing Olivia into the kitchen.

Neville held his hands up. "It was all Em."

"I did a lot," Emma said happily. "Next to eating, cooking is my favourite thing to do."

"You might want to hire her at the pub," Neville said proudly.

Emma giggled. "I'm too young to work!"

Neville put his arm around her. This really had been what he needed to put him in better spirits. His parents were for all intents and purposes gone, but he could treasure the memories of the time that they had.

333. Chapter 333 Those Old Feelings

Authors' note: We don't know if you guys are aware of this, but we usually write every single day for quite a few hours to bring this story to you each week. We know that since Book Seven, a lot of the interest in the HP fandom has waned, but there are still those of us out there who still like writing and reading fanfiction. All of the authors on this site work hard and free of charge and all they ask is for a review to let them know what you the readers think. That's all any of us ask and we don't think that's too much for you guys to do. We also don't ask for a particular number of reviews, and we will never NOT post a chapter if we don't hit a certain amount of reviews. But we are wondering if it is time that we start winding this story down, much as we don't feel like it could end yet. So, please, after reading, just leave us a few lines to let us know what you think.

"I don't know why I'm bothering with this rubbish," Brittany moaned. "It's not like it's going to do me any good once we're out of here. Who cares what this potion does in comparison to that?"

She, Ashley and Zander were studying before leaving for Hogsmeade. It was their final Hogsmeade weekend but exams started on Monday and they wanted to spend as much time as possible preparing. Well, Zander and Ashley did. Brittany had complained almost the entire time.

Zander shrugged. "Dunno...perhaps Snape? I'm sure he cares and you will care if you fail your final."

"What's he going to do to me?" Brittany asked. "If he tries to give me detention I just won't go."

Ashley sighed. "Brit, come on. We only have two weeks left. You just have to get through finals..."

Brittany sighed. "When I'm a model, I won't need to know any of this." she said, flipping open her book.

Ashley looked at her friend. The pressure of preparing for the N.E.W.T.s was getting to all of the seventh years. "Well, you're still going to use magic and you've worked hard for seven years to graduate, Brit. You don't want to stop now when the end is in sight."

"I guess you're right," Brittany grumbled. "I hate when you're right about things like this."

Ashley nudged her. "I'm always right, remember?"

"Except when you're talking about Snape," Zander said. "He's such a greasy git. I don't understand how you can like him."

"Because she's a MALFOY," Brittany said rolling her eyes.

"He loves Katie much more than he likes me," Ashley replied.

"Kind of like your grandfather," Brittany commented. "I know that you said you didn't care, but she's getting an inheritance and you...you're just getting art. Seems unfair if you ask me."

Ashley shrugged. "I don't want his money."

"You're handling that a lot better than I would," Brittany said. "I mean, imagine if our

grandfather left all of his money to Zander and didn't leave me anything."

"I just wouldn't tell you," Zander said. "I'd spend it before you knew what happened."

Brittany crumpled up a piece of parchment and threw it at him. "I would know you half-wit."

Zander batted his eyes. "Oh Merlin," he said in a high pitched voice. "My cousin took all my inheritance. I can't buy any new make up!"

Ashley tried to stifle her laughter.

"Oh you're so funny," Brittany rolled her eyes.

Ashley noticed that some students were making their way of the library. "Looks like it might be time to head to the carriages. Come on, Brit. Hogsmeade awaits."

"Finally," Brittany shoved her book away.

Ashley and Zander were going to carry their books in the carriage to study. Brittany rolled her eyes and promised to catch up to them when they were in Hogsmeade. She hurried to catch up with Corinne, leaving Ashley and Zander alone.

"She doesn't take anything seriously," Zander said. "I like to joke around, but our whole future rides on these exams."

Ashley nodded in agreement. "She's just feeling a little burned out is all."

"I know how that is," Zander said. "I haven't been able to concentrate on anything new lately."

They found a carriage and Zander held the door for her. Ashley smiled at him as she stepped inside. "I know what you mean. I really want to do well."

"You'll do fine," Zander told her, jumping inside after her. "You've always been near top of the class."

Ashley grinned. "Well, look at you. Prefect."

"You would have been Head Girl," Zander pointed out. "But you turned it down."

Ashley looked thoughtfully at him. "Well, I just wanted to concentrate on my art. That's the most important thing to me."

"I understand," Zander reassured her. "Probably more than anyone. I just couldn't resist the fame and glory being a Prefect gives me."

Ashley giggled. "Girls dig all that power."

"Oh yeah?" Zander asked, sending her a grin. "Does it impress you, Malfoy?"

"It does," Ashley said dramatically.

"Ooooh," Zander said flirtatiously. "I always knew being good looking with power would get me in with the ladies."

Ashley made a move to shove him playfully but the carriage hit a bump in the road.

She fell on top of him and they both tumbled to the floor of the carriage.

Zander laughed. "Falling for me, eh?"

"You goof," she said softly.

Zander brushed a strand of hair behind her ear. His gaze lingered on her face.

"I um... sorry..." Ashley pushed herself up. "I'm so clumsy sometimes."

Zander sat back down and dusted himself off. "You're the least clumsy person I know, Ash."

"We all have our moments," Ashley covered. "You should see me with Kevin... I fall all the time."

"I guess I don't know you as well as I thought," Zander commented.

"Why would you say that?" Ashley asked. "You know me better than anyone."

"Well, I didn't know my best friend was a closet klutz, now did I?" Zander joked.

Ashley swatted at him. "You're such a clown."

Zander laughed and Ashley was relieved that whatever had just happened had passed.

She had not told anyone how often she had thought about Zander these last few days. She did not understand these feelings and how they had suddenly re-emerged.

It was probably something fleeting just brought on by the time they'd spent together while she was sick. Likely once she saw Kevin, these feelings would go away.

She looked over at him. "Why didn't you ride along with Debra?"

"We're meeting up there," Zander replied. "Hopefully she won't want to go to Puddifoots. I bloody hate that place."

"That's her favourite place," Ashley said. "You poor thing..."

"The things we do for the girls," Zander shook his head but grinned at her.

Ashley pulled out her textbook and Zander did the same. They both read the rest of the way to Hogsmeade. Well, Ashley tried to concentrate, but she could not resist looking covertly up from her book and sneaking peeks at Zander.

When they arrived he jumped out first and offered her his hand.

Ashley blushed. "Thanks."

"Is Kevin meeting you here?" he asked.

Ashley nodded. "Yes. We're meeting at noon at The Three Broomsticks."

Zander smiled. "I see Debra. Have fun and I'll see you back at the castle."

Ashley nodded and watched him leave.

It wasn't long before noon so she decided to head over and wait for her boyfriend at the pub.

She found a table by the window and ordered a butterbeer.

Ashley was looking forward to seeing Kevin. They hadn't seen each other since a quick visit at Easter when she and Katie had gone home.

Seeing him would be just what she needed to get over whatever this was with Zander.

She wondered if her sister had come to Hogsmeade. It was pretty likely- Katie never missed a chance to see what was going on and be seen.

Ashley had her answer when she heard her sister's familiar laughter. Katie had linked her arm with Kevin's and she smiled happily at her sister. "Look, who I ran into!" she exclaimed.

Ashley grinned. "Hey, Kev."

"There's my girl," Kevin said grinning back at her.

Katie reluctantly let go of Kevin's arm. "I'm glad to have run into you," she said, touching his shoulder.

"Good to see you, kid," Kevin said to her.

Katie's face fell a bit but she kept her smile pasted on. "Behave, you two." she sent her sister a look before sauntering off.

Kevin sat down beside Ashley. "Do I get a proper welcome then?"

"Of course you do," Ashley leaned in and kissed him. "I missed you."

"I missed you," Kevin said putting his arm around her. "I was worried when I heard you were sick."

"It wasn't fun," Ashley said. "But I'm fine now."

"I wanted to come and see you," Kevin said.

"Madam Pomfrey wouldn't have let you in the door," Ashley rolled her eyes. "She wouldn't let anyone in."

"All alone," Kevin teased, giving her hand a squeeze. "Bet you were bored out of your mind."

"For the most part," Ashley nodded. "Zander sneaked in a few times and kept me entertained."

"Oh?" Kevin asked.

Ashley nodded. "And I got all your letters when I got back."

Kevin grinned. "Not as good as being here with you, Ashley."

Ashley smiled back. "Definitely not as good," she said, leaning close to him. She really had missed him.

He told her some stories about his band and how they were busy getting ready for the upcoming tour.

"How big of a tour?" she asked.

"Fifty cities in three months," Kevin replied. "It's going to be murder, but I'm excited."

"Wow..." Ashley tried to be excited, but she wondered when they would get to spend any time together.

"I know," Kevin said. "Listen, I'm going to get a drink and then we can talk some more. You want anything to eat?"

"A scone, perhaps." Ashley said. "Thanks."

Kevin kissed her cheek before he departed for the bar.

Ashley watched him go, feeling pensive. She was due to start La Sorbonne, but had been thinking about putting it off a year to go travel and study art.

She had talked it over with her mother and her parents seemed to think it was a great idea.

She would be leaving in the autumn and that was why she'd hoped she and Kevin would at least have the summer together.

It did not seem like he would have much free time.

"A butterbeer for me and a scone for you," he said sliding back into their booth.

"Perfect," Ashley said softly. "Thanks."

"You all right?" he asked.

Ashley nodded. "I just have a lot on my mind with preparing for the N.E.W.T.s."

"Makes me glad I worked my way out of all that," he said with an easy grin.

Ashley laughed. "Katie keeps wanting to ask how you managed to do that, Kev."

"What?" he asked.

"Not have to take the exams?"

Ashley nodded. "And get out of the whole school experience."

"Cut a hit single?" Kevin said, laughing. "Can she sing?"

Ashley laughed, too. "No. She and I didn't inherit that gift from our dad. We're both tone deaf."

"You have a gorgeous voice," he said, nuzzling her ear. "I've missed it."

Ashley smiled. "Flatterer."

"I can't lie to you," he said, leaning in.

"Ashley!" Brittany screamed, startling not only Ashley and Kevin but the other pub patrons.

"What’s wrong?" Ashley gasped. "Brit are you all right?"

"I'm perfect!" Brittany exclaimed, her cheeks red with excitement. "You'll never guess what happened to me. Not in a million years! Oh, hi, Kevin."

"Hi," Kevin said, amused.

Brittany smiled. "Okay, I was minding my own business with Corinne in the Weasley joke shop and we were just looking at these things that were on sale when this bloke came up and asked if he could take my photograph."

"Really?" Ashley asked as Brittany sat down. "Who was he?"

"Courtland Halifax," Brittany replied. "He's a modeling agent. He's had models in Witch Weekly and some models in Muggle fashion magazines. He said that I have great bone structure and that my hair is the best he's seen in ages."

"Wow..." Ashley said. "That's great, Brit."

"I have a meeting with him in two weeks to take photographs and put together a portfolio,"

Brittany said pulling the card he'd given her from her pocket. She handed it to Ashley.

Ashley looked at it for a moment and showed it to her boyfriend. "Have you worked with this bloke or heard of him?"

Kevin shook his head. "No."

"I just have to come up with a few hundred quid," Brittany said, taking the card back.

"What for?" Ashley asked.

"To pay him," Brittany said. "For building my portfolio."

Ashley raised an eyebrow. "Brit, you shouldn't have to pay him..."

Kevin nodded in agreement. "They don't get paid until you do."

Brittany ignored them. "I have to get my hair done. I'm thinking I'll wear it down for most of the photographs..."

"Brit," Ashley interrupted her. "This doesn't sound right."

Brittany frowned. "Why?"

"Because of what Kevin just said," Ashley pointed out. "He shouldn't get paid until you do. If he wants you to model for him, he should take those pictures and he would get a

percentage of your pay from a job."

Brittany shook her head. "That's not how it works, Ash. I mean with all due respect you're not a model. You're an artist. I've wanted to do this for ages."

"I know you have," Ashley said. "And I want it to work out for you. I don't want you to be scammed."

"I'm not being scammed!" Brittany argued.

"I know how this stuff works," Kevin tried to explain. "Ash is right."

Brittany let out a hollow laugh. "I can't believe this."

"We just don't want you taken advantage of," Ashley said.

"Why can't you be happy for me?" Brittany asked angrily. "You know, I've always supported you. Always."

"I am happy for you," Ashley told her. "And I do support you. But this just sounds fishy."

Kevin put his arm around Ashley. "I agree with Ash, Brit."

"Of course you do," Brittany stood up.

"Brit," Ashley started to say.

Brittany glared at her before stalking out of the pub.

"Well, that went well," Kevin said dryly.

"I'm worried about her," Ashley said. "She doesn't have money to waste on something like this."

"You have two weeks to try and talk her out of it," Kevin said thoughtfully.

"I'll do my best," Ashley said. "I'll talk to Zander and Corinne too."

Kevin nodded. "She'll thank you."

"Eventually..." Ashley replied.

Kevin leaned in for a kiss. "Where were we?"

Ashley closed her eyes but her mind wandered back to her best friend.

Brittany had always said that her biggest dream would be to model or be an actress someday. At one point, she had said she would do anything to make it happen.

"Hey," Kevin said. "I know you're worried about her... but there isn't anything you can do right now."

Ashley knew he was right, but she did not like how he seemed to just want to brush this off.

"Kevin..."

"I'm sorry," he apologized. "I know you're worried. And I'm being a bit selfish, but I haven't seen you since April."

"I know," Ashley said softly.

"Come on," he said as he finished his butterbeer. "Let's go for a walk and if you see Zander..."

Ashley smiled. "Thanks, Kevin."

He put his arms around her as they left the pub. "You look great. You don't look like you were sick at all."

Ashley smiled. "Thanks. It's a good thing you didn't see me then. I looked terrible."

"You've never looked terrible to me," he replied.

Ashley leaned against him. "So, tell me more about your tour. Where will you be going?"

"All over the place," he said as they meandered around the little village.

"The States?" Ashley asked.

"New York," he said. "LA... um... Chicago, Las Vegas..."

Ashley laughed. "Isn't Las Vegas called 'Sin City'?"

He grinned. "I think so. We've never been there."

"My Dad has," Ashley said. "He said it's pretty wild."

"I can't wait," Kevin said. "Maybe you can join me there."

"Maybe," Ashley said.

"It doesn't have to be Vegas," Kevin replied "It can be anywhere."

"Some place warm," Ashley said thoughtfully.

"I'll owl you the full list and you pick," Kevin put his arms around her again. "I always play better when you're around."

"You always play great, Kevin," Ashley said smiling up at him.

"You inspire me though," Kevin pulled her close. "Always have."

"Whatever did you do before you met me?" Ashley asked with a grin.

He laughed. "I wrote crap."

Ashley nudged him. "Not true."

"I wrote a few good things," he said. "But nothing like I have since getting together with you."

Ashley gave him a kiss.

He pulled her into a small alley and deepened their kiss.

"Kevin," Ashley whispered.

"Yeah?" he asked, his forehead touching hers.

"I missed you," Ashley said.

He brushed her hair back. "I missed you too. I can't wait to spend all sorts of time with you when you're done here."

Ashley knew she should tell him about her plans to take a year off to travel, but she just could not find the words.

"Things are only going to get better," he said.

They heard voices and Ashley giggled until she saw Zander and Debra. The two of them did not look at all happy.

"You act as if you were in hell, Zander. Madam Puddifoots is a nice place and I like going there. I followed you into that Quidditch shop, didn't I?" Debra asked him.

"Yeah but we weren't there for two hours," Zander replied.

"Unbelievable," Debra said angrily. "Unbelievable."

"It would have been fine if she hadn't spilled scalding tea on my lap," Zander said.

"It was an accident!" Debra replied. "And she gave us free biscuits to make up for it!"

"She did it last time too," Zander pointed out.

Debra rolled her eyes. "She's out to get you."

"Maybe she just doesn't want me there," Zander grumbled.

"I can't see why," Debra said sarcastically. "Since you always seem so THRILLED to be

there. Whatever, Zander. I'm going to catch up with my friends. I'll see you at the castle..."

"Whatever, Deb." Zander said.

Debra stalked off.

Zander shook his head and he turned to double back to Honeydukes.

Ashley looked at Kevin. "Um, would you mind if I just checked on him?"

He squeezed her hand. "Come on."

"Thanks," Ashley said.

The couple hurried after Zander. They caught up to him just outside the sweets shoppe.

"Zander!" Ashley called out.

He turned around. "Hey Ash." he nodded to Kevin. "What's up, mate?"

Kevin shook Zander's hand and Ashley felt a bit awkward. She did not want to tell him that she had overheard his argument with Debra. "Have you seen Brit?" she asked him instead.

"Not since we were in the library," Zander said. "Why?"

Ashley told him everything that had happened with the modeling "agent".

"That's a scam," Zander said. "Obviously."

"That's what we tried to tell her," Kevin said. "But she didn't want to listen."

"Hmm..." Zander said. "Maybe we'll corner her tonight and talk to her."

Ashley nodded in agreement.

"If anyone can convince her it's you two," Kevin said.

"My aunt and uncle would never let her do this," Zander said.

"She's 18 now," Ashley said. "Technically they can't stop her."

Zander shook his head. "We'll talk her out of it, Ash."

"I hope so," Ashley said worriedly.

Kevin squeezed Ashley's hand. "Don't worry about it. You'll talk her out of it and everything will be fine."

"It'll help if we get Corinne on our side," Ashley said.

Zander and Ashley started discussing ways to approach Brittany and Kevin just stood back, not really sure of what to say.

He cleared his throat. "Do you think we should talk about this inside?" he asked. It wasn't that he disliked Zander, but he wanted to spend as much time with Ashley as he could before he had to leave.

Zander seemed to catch on quickly. "I'll see you later, Ash. I'm going to see if I can find Evan."

"Good idea," Ashley smiled at him. "Thanks Zander."

Zander nodded. "Take care, Kevin."

"See you around," Kevin replied.

Ashley watched him go and she hoped that together they would be able to talk some sense into Brittany.

"Hey," Kevin turned her back around. "You lot will work it out."

"You think so?" Ashley asked.

"You're her best friends," he said.

That was true, but Ashley had seen how excited Brittany had been in the pub. There were stars in her eyes.

"I only have a few more hours," Kevin said. "Let's try and have a little fun?"

"Absolutely," Ashley agreed. "Fun."

He kissed her again. "I'll keep you occupied."

Ashley smiled. "Oh yeah?"

"You know I can," he said huskily.

Ashley put her arms around him. "Maybe I should take you to Madam Puddifoots."

"That's the frilly place over there?" Kevin asked. "No thanks. I don't fancy tea in my lap."

Ashley giggled. "Okay...well, how about the book shoppe?"

"Sure," he agreed. "Can we snog in the aisle?"

"If you play your cards right," Ashley flirted.

"Ooooh," he slid his arms around her from behind. "I'll do whatever you want."

While Ashley enjoyed her time with Kevin, Zander had found his cousin with Corinne.

Brittany grinned when she saw him and he held up his hand to stop her from telling him

about her news. "I already know. I ran into Ashley."

"Oh," Brittany rolled her eyes.

"You have got to see that this is a scam," Zander told her. "Come on, Brit. You're not

stupid."

"I'm going to do everything I can to be a model," Brittany tossed her head. "You can't stop me, Zander."

"Two hundred quid," Zander told her. "Where are you going to get that?"

Brittany glared at him. "Don't you worry about it."

"I could tell your mum," Zander threatened.

"I am 18," Brittany said.

"An eighteen year old that's going to be out two-hundred quid," Zander retorted.

"Hey," Corinne put a hand on Brittany's arm. "Come on, Brit. Just hear him out. He has a point."

"You heard Mr. Halifax, Cori," Brittany said. "He told me I was beautiful and that I had a chance to be big."

"Well yes but--" Corinne began.

"But nothing," Brittany said angrily. "This is my big break. I would think that my friends would be happy for me, but you all are so determined to bring me down."

"We want you to be happy and succeed," Zander said. "But this isn't right."

"Just leave me alone," Brittany said.

"No," Zander replied.

"Why can't you lot be happy for me?" Brittany asked, tears shining in her eyes.

"It's not that we aren't," Corinne tried again. "But we don't want you to get scammed."

"Cori's right," Zander said.

Brittany shoved her chair back. "I hate all of you."

"Brit, come on," Zander tried.

"Just leave me alone," Brittany hurried away.

Zander sighed and looked at Corinne.

"I feel bad," Corinne confessed.

Zander shook his head. "Not your fault, Corinne."

"He really was pretty slick," Corinne told him. "He really laid on the compliments. Brit's gorgeous, but he made it seem like there was no other girl in the world."

"Which is all he needed to do with my cousin," Zander commented.

"What are we going to do?" she asked.

"I don't know," Zander replied. "But, we'll think of something."

"It's too bad she won't talk to Evan," Corinne said. "If anyone could convince her it's him."

A slow smile broke over Zander's face. "Great idea, Cori."

"But she won't talk to him," Corinne repeated.

Zander patted her on the arm. "I'll take care of that."

Corinne smiled. "I'll try and talk to her again too."

Zander said a quick goodbye. They were all going to have to work together to make Brittany see the light.

334. Chapter 334 RJ Gets A Clue ...and a Tiara

Authors' note: THANK YOU! Thank you for the great response we got to the last chapter! You guys are the best and it's because of you that we keep writing and posting chapters each week! We cannot begin to tell you how much it meant to us to read your kind words! Tonight's chapter is a little longer this week, too! Thanks again!

RJ Weasley looked down at the four-year old girl and shook his head.

"Ellie, I love you, but I am not wearing a tiara and that feather thing," RJ said firmly.

He and Audrey were babysitting Ellie and Edward for Andrew and Saffy. RJ loved his godchildren, but there were certain things he just would not do.

Audrey laughed. "Come on, RJ. You'd look cute with a tiara and a boa. Wouldn't he, Edward?"

Edward nodded. "Wear."

Ellie folded her arms. "We can't have a tea party without them, Uncle RJ."

"Then I say we don't have a tea party," RJ replied.

"Daddy wears them for me," Ellie argued.

RJ laughed. "Have you got a picture of Andrew Kirke in a boa and tiara?"

Ellie nodded. "Mummy does."

"Where?" RJ asked.

Audrey looked at RJ. "RJ, come on. Just put the crown and boa on so we can have a proper tea party. Edward's wearing his hat and being a perfect little gentleman."

"All right," RJ relented. "But no one takes a picture or breathes a word of this."

Ellie clapped her hands. "Yay!"

RJ reluctantly donned the tiara and wrapped the boa around his neck. "How do I look?"

"Smashing," Audrey said with a grin.

"Beautiful!" Ellie exclaimed.

"Saffron is going to hate that she's missing this," Audrey said.

"Which is why she'll never know," RJ responded.

Ellie set up the cups and dishes on her small table.

"We made some real tea," Audrey said. "Let it cool down a little."

Ellie nodded. "Kay."

"I'll go grab it," RJ said. "And some scones?"

"Yes, please," Ellie replied.

"Be back in a jiffy," RJ said.

Edward bounced in Audrey's arms and she smiled down at the little boy. "Are you hungry?" she asked him.

"Yes," Edward answered, sending her a grin.

Ellie tossed her hair over her shoulder. "This is going to be best tea party ever."

"It's certainly the most fun tea party I've ever been to," Audrey assured the little girl.

Ellie beamed at her. "Olivia and me have the best ones."

"Do Kiera and Gwyn ever join you?" Audrey asked.

Ellie nodded.

"How fun," Audrey said with a grin.

"Did you have tea parties when you were little?" Ellie asked. Before Audrey could answer,

Ellie continued. "My mummy had tea parties with Greta and she'd make Uncle Ethan come too!"

Audrey laughed. "I think I heard about those."

"Princess RJ is back!" Ellie announced as RJ came back into the room.

RJ groaned. "Let's not make that a nickname to stick..."

"Sit down," Audrey told him. "You look very pretty."

RJ sent her a glare as he put the teapot and plate of scones on the small table. Audrey set

Edward in his little seat.

"You're the exact image of your dad, mate," RJ said to Edward.

"Except for his eyes," Audrey said. "He's got Saffy's eyes."

RJ nodded. "And luckily for him, his dad's personality."

Audrey laughed. "Both of them."

RJ grinned at her. "You look lovely tonight, Princess Audrey."

Audrey straightened her own tiara. "Why thank you. It's my special tea party crown."

RJ reached for a scone, but Ellie swatted at his hand. "What? What was that for?"

"The hostess passes them out." Ellie told him.

RJ held up his hands in defeat. "Sorry. A thousand apologies."

"Edward only gets a little," Ellie said. "Mummy breaks up his scones but he has to have his bottle."

Audrey nodded. Saffron had told them this before leaving.

"I'll take care of that," RJ said. "May I take a scone for him?"

Ellie thought about this. "Yes," she finally replied. "You may."

RJ grinned at her. "Thank you, Princess Ellie."

Audrey watched her boyfriend as he broke up the scone for Edward. They had been dating for a few years now, but he had not mentioned marriage. Audrey wanted nothing more than to be married to him, but he seemed completely content with things the way they were.

"Have---have Liam and Darla set a date yet?" she asked.

"A few months from now," RJ said. "End of summer I think."

"Livvie's going to be a flower girl," Ellie said.

"I bet she'll look so pretty," Audrey said as she poured some tea into Ellie's little cup.

"Thank you," Ellie said smiling at her.

"You are most welcome," Audrey said. "Such lovely manners..."

"Mummy taught me," Ellie said with a grin.

RJ guffawed. "Saffron taught you to be polite-- ow!" he said as Audrey poked him.

Edward and Ellie laughed.

"That's not funny," RJ rubbed his side.

Audrey stifled her own laughter. "But back to what I was saying about Liam and Darla...it's

really great that your sister and Liam are getting married. Don't you think so?"

"Sure," RJ said. "Makes her happy."

Audrey nodded. "And they've been together awhile..."

RJ gave her a strange look.

"How long?" Ellie asked before taking a bite of her scone.

"What?" RJ looked at her.

"How long have they been together?" Ellie asked. "Years and years?"

RJ chuckled. "Liam and Darla have been together about three years."

Audrey traced her finger along the lip of her cup. "Three years. That's a long time."

"We've been together longer," RJ pointed out. "What has it been... five years?"

Audrey resisted the urge to roll her eyes. He could not be this thick, could he? "Yes, five years."

RJ grinned at her. "And it's still going great."

"Some people get married after being together a short amount of time. I mean, take a look at my cousin. Becca and David were together for about four months before they got married."

RJ shook his head. "That poor bloke."

"RJ," Audrey shook her head. "I don't know what you have against Becca. She never did

anything to you."

RJ had never told Audrey about the advances Becca had made toward him. "She's just a

little too high-maintenance for my taste. That's all."

"What's that mean?" Ellie asked, reaching for her teacup.

"She's a little too much for a bloke to deal with," RJ told her.

Ellie studied him curiously. "Why?"

RJ thought about this for a moment. "Well, she takes a really long time to get ready and

she's always needing someone to tell her how pretty she is."

"Daddy tells me I'm pretty every day," Ellie said.

"That's because you are," RJ said grinning at her.

"You're the most gorgeous Princess Ellie there ever was," Audrey told her.

Ellie grinned. "And you are pretty, Princess Audrey."

"She's more like the queen," RJ said. "For me at least."

"Thanks, RJ," Audrey said reaching across the table for his hand.

"Daddy said Mummy's his queen," Ellie told them.

"Smooth," RJ laughed.

"More," Edward looked at Audrey.

Audrey reached for another scone and started breaking it up for him. "RJ can you go and get his bottle?"

"Sure," RJ said, pushing himself up. "Anything else?"

"Kiss?" Audrey asked.

"I always have that," RJ said, leaning over.

Ellie giggled as RJ gave his girlfriend a quick kiss.

"What about me?" the little girl asked.

RJ leaned down and pecked Ellie on the cheek. "There you are."

Audrey smiled as RJ went into the kitchen. He might be insufferable at times, but when he was like this... she didn't know how she could love him more.

Downstairs, RJ was heating Edward's bottle when he heard snickering behind him. He turned to see Saffron and Andrew looking at him. "Nice crown," Saffron said dryly.

"Damn it," RJ cursed. "You two weren't supposed to be home yet."

"We finished dinner earlier than expected," Andrew said, putting his hand over his mouth to stifle his own laughter.

RJ yanked the tiara off and pulled the fluffy boa from around his neck.

"Not one word, Kirke," RJ said. "Ellie told me you do this for her all the time."

"Yeah but he's her father," Saffron replied. "He's kind of obligated to."

"Well, I am her godfather," RJ said. "And she asked."

"It's very sweet," Saffron said.

"Uncle RJ!" Ellie called out from upstairs. "Move your bum!"

All three of them laughed. "Elinore Granger Kirke," Andrew called upstairs.

"Daddy!" Ellie squealed. They heard her footsteps on the stairs.

Ellie ran into the kitchen and propelled herself at her father, who scooped her up.

Audrey entered the kitchen carrying Edward. Edward reached for Saffron.

"Hi baby," Saffron kissed Edward's cheek. "I missed you so much."

"We were having a tea party," Ellie told Andrew.

"And you didn't invite me?" Andrew asked his daughter.

"You weren't here," Ellie pointed out. "Silly Daddy."

"And it's close to your bedtime," Andrew kissed her cheek. "So we'll have to do a tea party tomorrow."

Saffron took the bottle from RJ and sat down with Edward. "So, did the two of them behave?"

"Always," Audrey said. "Perfect angels."

"They went easy on you," Saffron said.

"I love Uncle RJ and Aunt Audrey," Ellie said. "They're fun."

RJ put his arm around Audrey. "That's us."

"Thanks again," Andrew said. "We really appreciate you helping us out."

"If RJ and I ever have any children, you can return the favour," Audrey said.

"That's a deal," Saffron said with a grin.

"By the time that happens, Ellie will be old enough to baby-sit," RJ joked.

RJ missed Audrey roll her eyes, but Saffron didn't.

"Aud, would you mind going upstairs with me to put Edward down?" Saffron asked.

"Sure," Audrey replied. "Anything to spend a little more time with that cute face."

Saffron nodded and looked at her daughter. "You are next little miss."

"I want to stay with Daddy," Ellie replied.

"I'll put her to bed," Andrew told Saffron.

"Okay," Saffron kissed her daughter's cheek. "No sleeping in your tiara."

"Kay, Mummy," Ellie said. "Night-night, Edward."

"Bye," Edward waved to them. "Bye!"

Saffron carried Edward upstairs with Audrey in tow. "That's such a cute outfit he has on,"

Audrey commented.

"Alexa bought it for him," Saffron replied.

"How is Alexa?" Audrey said. "It’s been ages since I've seen her."

"That makes two of us," Saffron said. "Since she graduated from University, she's been

writing freelance and traveling all over the world. Right now, she's on assignment."

"How glamorous," Audrey said. "Much more so than teaching."

"If I wasn't playing Quidditch, I would have gone into teaching," Saffron said.

"I love it most of the time," Audrey said.

"That's what RJ tells us," Saffron said.

"RJ does a lot of talking," Audrey said as Saffron changed Edward.

"But not about what you want him to?" Saffron guessed. "I saw your face when he made that comment downstairs."

"I'm wondering if I should take matters into my own hands and ask HIM to marry me," Audrey said.

"He is a complete moron when it comes to these things," Saffron said shaking her head.

"He is a little thick," Audrey admitted.

"You guys have been together for ages,' Saffron said.

"Exactly," Audrey said. "I tried to drop a few hints tonight about Darla and Liam becoming engaged and he didn't even get it."

"Well, we know that he loves you," Saffron said giving her son a kiss on the cheek. "Right, Edward?"

"Hi," Edward grinned at her.

Audrey grinned back at him. "Hi, Edward."

The little boy reached for her and Audrey took him into her arms. "He is so sweet, Saffy."

"He is," Saffron said proudly.

Audrey gave Edward a kiss on the cheek. "I'll see you soon, little guy."

"Night-night, Edward," Saffron said, taking him back from Audrey and putting him in his crib.

"Sweet dreams."

Edward blinked up at her for a few moments before closing his eyes.

"And he usually goes to sleep fairly quickly," Saffron whispered.

"He's the perfect baby," Audrey said with a grin.

Saffron motioned for Audrey to follow her out of the room.

The two women crept out of the nursery and headed back downstairs.

"How was it with Ellie?" Saffron asked.

"She's so funny," Audrey replied. "Kept at RJ until he put that crown on."

"That doesn't leave this house, okay?" RJ told them.

"I don't know," Saffron mused. "The blokes on the team might like to hear about this.

Especially Scanlon..."

RJ looked at her. "Saf..."

"I'm just kidding," Saffron replied. "You're the best babysitter we have."

"And cheap," Andrew said.

"Only cause you feed me well," RJ replied.

"The way to his heart is definitely through his stomach," Audrey said patting RJ

affectionately.

"Or through her," RJ said, sliding his arms around Audrey.

"You guys really make a cute couple," Saffron said pointedly. "Like you were always meant to be together."

"I think so too," Audrey said with a grin at Saffron.

"Having two babies must have softened you up," RJ joked.

Saffron gave him a poke. "I can't wait until YOU have kids."

RJ laughed. "That's going to be awhile from now, Saf."

"What are you waiting for?" Saffron asked bluntly.

RJ raised an eyebrow. "What?"

"What are you waiting for?" Saffron asked. "You're not getting any younger."

"Aud and I are perfectly fine like we are, aren't we, Aud?" RJ asked looking properly at his girlfriend.

"I love being with you," Audrey replied truthfully.

"See?" RJ said to Saffron.

Saffron cast a look at Audrey and then held her arms out for her daughter. "Come on El," she said. "It's your bedtime."

"Kay, Mummy," Ellie said hugging Saffron.

"Let's get going," RJ said to Audrey as he tossed the tiara at Andrew.

"Thanks again, you guys," Andrew told them.

"Anytime," Audrey replied.

"Night, Aud!" Ellie called out. "Night, Princess RJ."

Saffron laughter carried back. "Good one, baby girl."

"She's lucky she's cute," RJ said to Audrey as they were leaving.

"Who, Saffy?" Audrey joked.

"Ellie," RJ said, shaking his head.

"She's so sweet," Audrey replied.

"Almost as sweet as you," RJ said grinning at her.

Audrey suppressed a grin. "You are charming, you know."

"Little old me?" RJ asked dramatically.

Audrey bumped his shoulder with hers. "I love you."

"Love you too, Aud," RJ said.

"It so funny how everyone we know that's our age is married or engaged," Audrey said.

RJ shrugged. "And a few are even on their second marriages."

"I don't want to get married twice," Audrey looked over at him. "Once is enough for me."

RJ nodded. "I know."

Audrey sighed. Was he really THIS thick?

RJ yawned. "I'm knackered."

"Yeah," she muttered. "Me too."

She was silent the rest of the way home, absolutely seething at how completely clueless he was. Saffron was right, what on earth was he waiting for?

"RJ," she said before they got back to their house.

"Yeah?" he asked.

"Marry me," she said in a rush.

RJ blinked. "What?"

"I want you to marry me," Audrey felt like a fool but she went on. "I love you, and I want to be married to you."

RJ was speechless.

Audrey shook her head.

"You---you want to get married?" RJ finally managed.

"Is that so hard to believe?" she asked, sighing.

RJ shook his head. "No, but--I thought you liked things the way they were."

"I do," she said quietly. "But I want more."

"Marriage?" RJ asked.

"Wouldn't you like to start a family?" Audrey asked him.

RJ looked at her. "Yeah, of course."

She smiled tentatively at him.

A slow smile spread across RJ's face. "Aud..."

"You really want to?" she asked hopefully.

RJ shook his head. "This is all wrong..."

"Why?" Audrey asked.

RJ chuckled. "Well for one thing, I'm the one who is supposed to be asking and for another

I don't have a ring..."

"We can go get one," Audrey replied. "Tomorrow."

RJ grinned and got done on one knee. "Well, then, Audrey, would you marry me?"

Audrey laughed. "Yes!"

"Sorry it took me so long to catch on," RJ said. "But it's not because I didn't love you, Aud. I

love you more than anything."

"I love you too," she said as he got up and enveloped her in his arms. "I love you so much."

"I love you too," RJ said swinging her around.

Audrey grinned at him. "And here I was thinking you were just thick..."

RJ laughed. "Well, I am..."

"Saffron said you were a moron..." Audrey continued.

"I'm a lot smarter than you guys give me credit for," RJ said.

"I would agree," Audrey kissed him.

"Audrey Weasley," RJ said smiling at her.

She laughed. "That's an interesting name."

"It's got a ring to it," RJ said taking her hand and leading her to their home.

Audrey leaned against him. "I'm so happy, RJ."

"Me too, Aud," RJ said, holding her close. "Me too."

"We don't have to have a long engagement," Audrey said. "I'm happy with a wedding with

just our families there."

RJ nodded. "Whatever you want."

"It's what you want too," Audrey said as he turned on the lights with his wand. "We're only getting married once you know."

"Once," RJ said.

"That's it," she said, winding her arms around him. "I'm not letting you go."

RJ gave her a kiss.

She laughed. "I'm so glad tomorrow's Saturday."

RJ grinned. "No work."

"All play," Audrey returned.

RJ picked her up. "I think I like being engaged."

"I already do," she said, circling her arms around him.

"This will be preparation for carrying you over the threshold," RJ said opening the door with his free hand.

Audrey laughed. "You already do have tons of practice."

RJ grinned. He certainly had not expected that the day would end with him being engaged.

He did feel stupid for not realizing this was what Audrey had wanted. But, he loved her with all his heart and he wanted to spend the rest of his life with her.

"Hey RJ," Audrey said as he lay down next to her.

"Yes?" RJ asked.

"I want to get you a ring too," she said. "It unconventional, but since I asked you..."

"Aud, you don't have to do that," RJ started.

"I want to," Audrey reassured him. "No diamonds..." she added with a grin.

"Oh, come on," RJ laughed.

"One big one?" she joked.

"If you really loved me," RJ said.

Audrey laughed. "I'm the one who gets the big diamond."

"Someone's very confident," RJ said.

"Well I got you tamed down, didn't I?" Audrey reached for him.

"Tamed?" RJ asked.

"You were sort of wild when I first met you," Audrey replied.

"I still have a bit of a wild side," RJ said huskily.

"Yes you do," she said. "Especially in here with me."

RJ grinned. "You haven't seen anything yet."

*** *** ***

Gabriel had agreed to meet his father and stepmother for a quick dinner that night. It had been ages since he'd had a real meal- med school kept him so busy that most nights he grabbed something from a vending machine while he studied or took his shift at the local hospital.

Since he and Alexa had ended things, he had pretty much thrown himself into his studies. Looking back on it now, it was probably for the best. He had little time for anything other than school at the moment. He and Alexa were still good friends though and she sent him emails letting him know what she was doing.

"I don't care if you didn't see it last time," Lavender's voice preceded her and Seamus into the diner. "I know I saw a grey hair, and I want you to fix it. Tonight."

"Well, you know, we are approaching our si---" Seamus started to say.

"Forties," Lavender interjected.

Seamus laughed and shook his head. "Whatever you say, Lav."

Lavender shook her head. "Gabriel!" she exclaimed. "I hope you haven't been waiting long!"

Gabriel shook his head. "Not too long." He stood up and gave her a hug.

"It's so good to see you," she kissed his cheek. "We've missed having you in London."

Gabriel gave his father a hug. "I'm an old workaholic like my dad."

"How very true," Seamus replied with a grin.

Gabriel sat back down and closed his book. He did not imagine his stepmother would like looking pictures of the spleen while she ate.

"I hope this place makes a good salad," Lavender sat down.

"Don't know about that, but they have great club sandwiches," Gabriel said.

"I'll have one with extra bacon," Seamus said.

Gabriel knew the menu for this place like the back of his hand. He had spent most of his time here, given its proximity to the hospital. The diner was open twenty-four hours and after midnight it was actually a great place to study. Gabriel motioned for one of the waitresses, Stephanie, to come over.

She smiled at him as she approached. "Hi Gabe..."

"Hi, Steph," Gabriel replied smiling back at her. "Can I get my usual?"

"Of course," she said with a grin. "These your folks?"

"This is my dad, Seamus," Gabriel said. "And my stepmother, Lavender."

"It's nice to meet you both," Stephanie said conversationally. "I see Gabriel in here by himself so much I was beginning to wonder if he had anyone to go home to."

"Nice to meet you," Seamus said looking up at the girl. She had shoulder-length brown hair and a nice smile. "Gabe raves about this place so we thought we'd try it out."

"I may be biased but I think it's pretty good," Stephanie laughed. "I'll get you all some water."

"Not from the tap," Lavender said to her. "Sparkling."

"They don't have sparkling water here," Gabriel told his stepmother.

"Whatever you have is fine," Seamus answered for his wife.

"I can put some lemon in it if you'd like," Stephanie offered.

Lavender nodded. "Thank you."

"Coming right up," Stephanie hurried away.

"They have a chef salad," Gabriel told his stepmother.

"I just hope they have fat free dressing," Lavender replied.

Gabriel and Seamus shared an amused look.

"What?" Lavender asked.

"Nothing," Gabriel said as Stephanie came with their drinks.

"We had some bottled water in the back," Stephanie said to Lavender. "I hope you like it."

"You didn't have to go that trouble," Lavender said. "But, thank you."

"Sure," the younger woman said cheerfully. "What can I get everyone then?"

"I'll take the chef salad," Lavender said. "But without ham, cheese, turkey or eggs. Just lettuce and tomato. And I'll have the dressing on the side."

"Lav..." Seamus shook his head.

"You know," Stephanie said. "We actually have a veggie wrap that you might like. "

"What's in it?" Lavender asked.

"Carrots, tomato, lettuce, sprouts and this low-cal sauce," Stephanie replied.

"All right," Lavender nodded. "I'll try that. Thank you."

"No problem," Stephanie said. "And what about you, Mr. Finnegan?"

"I'll have the club, with extra bacon and extra turkey," Seamus told her. "Chips-- I mean fries too, please."

Stephanie nodded and looked over at Gabe. "And the usual for you."

"Thanks," he grinned at her.

Stephanie excused herself to place their orders and the three of them returned to catching

up. "How are your grandparents?" Seamus asked.

"They're fine," Gabriel said. "Getting up there, you know?"

Lavender reached across the table and patted Gabriel's hand. "Their health is okay, isn't it?"

"Yes," he said. "No strokes, thankfully."

"You know I could help you if you wanted to get a place of your own," Seamus commented.

"I don't mind living with them," Gabriel replied. "I'd like to enjoy it while I can."

Seamus nodded. "Well, the offer stands."

"Thanks," Gabriel replied. "One of these days I'll wind up taking it."

"Saffy keeps asking us when you'll make it back to England," Lavender told him.

"I hope soon," Gabriel replied. "I really want to visit with everyone. School just keeps me so

busy. This the first time I've stopped studying for more than five minutes in three weeks."

"Well, Lav and I are honoured," Seamus joked.

Gabriel laughed. "It feels nice to put the books away for a bit."

"Good to stop and smell the roses every now and then," Lavender said.

"Speaking of roses," Seamus nodded his head in Stephanie's direction. "She's got the eye for you."

Gabriel followed his father's gaze and shook his head. "No, Dad. She's just a friend. Gives

me free coffee after midnight."

"Gabriel," Lavender said. "If there's one thing I know about, aside from fashion, is when a girl fancies a bloke."

Gabriel laughed. "Things have changed since your day, Lavender."

Lavender glared at him. "Are you saying I'm old?"

Gabriel held up his hands. "Only teasing."

"Those are fighting words, Gabe." Seamus shook his head.

"Never, ever tease a woman about her age," Lavender told him. "Or her weight."

"Got it," Gabriel replied. "And Steph's really just a friend.

"What about at school then?" Lavender asked. "Any prospects?"

"I haven't had time for dating," Gabriel answered. "What do you think this is, Grey's

Anatomy?"

"Who's anatomy?" Lavender wrinkled her nose.

"Muggle show on the telly," Seamus told her.

"I never have a chance to watch the telly," Lavender said.

"Me either," Gabriel admitted.

"Let's forget about schoolwork for tonight," Seamus told him.

"Absolutely," Lavender agreed. "This is a family night."

Gabriel grinned. "Tell me what else is going on with everyone in England."

"Well, I have some new photographs of Ethan and Maddie's babies," Lavender said reaching for her bag.

"I can't believe they have six kids now," Gabriel said taking the pictures.

"It should have been seven," Lavender said quietly.

"Yeah," Gabriel nodded. "That was terrible."

Lavender nodded. "Last time I saw Ethan he said Maddie was doing better."

"That's good," Gabriel said. "I've seen some of the women who have been in this situation. It's really hard."

"We're all trying to help her," Lavender said. "I can't imagine what this must have been like for her."

Gabriel nodded. "Which one is which?" he asked.

Lavender moved her chair closer to Gabe. "That's Christian on the end. There's

Natasha...she's the little flirt..."

Gabriel grinned. "She's cute. Look at that smile."

"And there's Erik and Arielle," Lavender said. "Erik's the little troublemaker."

"I can't wait to see them next time I'm over," Gabriel replied.

"They'll be starting school by the time you get over there," Seamus joked.

"I promise to come over before then," Gabriel returned with a grin.

Lavender looked up to see Stephanie approaching them with their food."

"Here you go," she put the wrap in front of Lavender. "If you don't like it, let me know and I'll bring you the salad you wanted."

Lavender smiled. "Thanks. It looks really nice actually."

"Good," Stephanie said as Gabriel and Seamus dug into their sandwiches. "Can I get you guys anything else?"

"No, thanks, Steph," Gabriel smiled at her.

She grinned at him then headed back to the kitchen.

"Who is that out there with your boy?" one of the cooks asked her, causing Stephanie to

blush.

"He's not my boy," Stephanie said. "And that's his father and stepmother."

"Uh-huh," the cook said, shaking his head.

"Don't even start," Stephanie said, her smile slipping away. "If Tony hears about you making jokes he'll get mad at me."

"You're too good for that joker," the cook said.

"He takes care of me," Stephanie replied.

"Here's your order for table six," the cook said handing her a plate.

"Thanks," she replied, putting it on a tray and carrying it back out to the dining room.

She could not resist looking in Gabriel's direction. He was quite handsome and had always been nice to her.

"She's looking at you again," Lavender reported.

Gabriel rolled his eyes and looked over at his father. "Dad, a little help here."

"She is looking over at you," Seamus said sheepishly.

Gabriel shook his head. "And the two of you wonder why we don't get together more often."

"I'm just being honest," Lavender said. "And she knows her food. This is delicious."

"Want some of my chips?" Seamus asked her, holding one up.

"No," Lavender said. "Deep fried?"

"Just the way I like it," Seamus said before eating one. Lavender wrinkled her nose.

"You know," Gabriel said. "Saffy told me that you and her mom go for ice cream sundaes every Sunday."

"I do not," Lavender denied.

"Every Sunday without fail," Seamus said. "And she thinks I don't know."

"Hermione has ice cream," Lavender said. "I have yoghurt."

"With hot fudge, nuts and whipped cream," Gabriel recalled.

Lavender glared at them both. "I do NOT eat all that."

"Sure," Gabriel grinned.

"You will not find an ounce of fat on my body," Lavender informed them.

"We're only having a go, love," Seamus reassured her.

"Hmmmmph," Lavender replied.

"How is everything?" Stephanie asked them.

"Very good," Seamus said.

"Gabe, you'll be happy to know that we have apple pie today," Stephanie said, knowing full well that it was his favourite.

He grinned. "I'll take an extra big slice then."

"Me too," Seamus agreed.

"I'll just have an iced tea," Lavender told her. "Sugar free, please."

"Sure," Stephanie replied.

"Splurge a little," Seamus told his wife.

"You won't regret it," Stephanie told her. "It's the best."

"A very small piece then," Lavender relented. "No ice cream, though."

"Good job, Steph," Gabriel said to her. "You've done the impossible."

Stephanie laughed. "Everyone has to treat themselves once in awhile."

"That's what I keep trying to tell her, but she never listens," Seamus said.

Stephanie smiled. "I'll be right back with your pie."

Seamus and Lavender enjoyed the rest of their meal with Gabriel and Lavender did in fact eat all of her pie. They left with promises to see Gabriel later that week for dinner. Gabriel

was gathering up his books when Stephanie came over. "I like your parents," she told him.

"They seem like nice people."

"Yeah they're pretty cool," Gabriel said.

"I think this is the first time you've been in here without your nose stuck in a book," she commented as she started gathering up the dishes.

"Even us nerds need a break once in awhile," Gabriel joked.

Stephanie laughed. "I'm going to remind you of that next time you're in here at two in the morning."

"Why do you work late so often?" Gabriel asked. "Most girls your age are there during the day shift."

"I'm trying to save up money," Stephanie replied. "I'd like to go to school someday."

"What are you interested in studying?" he asked.

Stephanie smiled. "Nothing as glamorous as a doctor, of course. I'm not that smart."

"Come on," he said. "You're smart."

Stephanie blushed. "Well, I was hoping to one day have my own business."

"What sort of business?" he asked curiously.

"A restaurant of my own," Stephanie said. "Or maybe a chain of them. I know it's just a dream..."

"It doesn't have to be," Gabriel said. "You'd do a great job."

"Thanks," Stephanie said softly. She was not used to someone believing in her.

"My mom used to want to manage her own chain of restaurants," Gabriel said. "Then I

came along..."

"Oh, yeah?" Stephanie asked.

"It's how she met my dad," Gabriel explained.

Stephanie smiled. "What does she do now?"

"She passed away awhile ago," Gabriel said. "She had cancer."

"Oh," Stephanie said quietly. "I'm so sorry..."

"Thanks," Gabriel said. "I still miss her, but it doesn't hurt as much as it used to."

Stephanie guessed that was one of the reasons he wanted to be a doctor.

"Anyway," Gabriel said. "She was an amazing mom. And I always wanted to make her proud of me."

"I'm sure she would be," Stephanie commented. "You're amazing."

"Thanks," he grinned at her.

Stephanie found herself grinning back at him. It was hard not to.

"I'll see you later," Gabriel said. "I'm sure I'll need some coffee."

"I'll be here," Stephanie said.

"Cool," Gabriel replied.

"Don't work too hard," Stephanie called out after him.

"Like that will stop me," he returned.

Stephanie laughed before turning for the kitchen.

Gabriel headed back to the hospital for his rounds. He could get in an extra fifteen minutes of studying before they began if he hurried.

"Well, if it isn't the superstar," Gabriel heard one of his colleagues call out when he entered

the locker room. Some of his co-workers had given him a hard time about having a famous father.

Gabriel nodded to him, refusing to act up. "How's it going?"

"Not too bad," Tom replied. "You ready for the Biochem exam Friday?"

"Yeah," he nodded. "It's going to be a tough one."

"We're all going out afterwards," Tom said. "You should go."

Gabriel was about to decline but reconsidered. "That sounds like fun," he agreed. "Count me in."

Tom clapped him on the back. "See you out front."

Gabriel nodded as he changed into his scrubs and his coat.

He was looking forward to blowing off some steam with his friends. He smiled as he thought of his father and stepmother telling him about stopping to smell the roses.

Perhaps if Stephanie wasn't working he'd ask her to join them after the exam.

Things were definitely turning around, Gabriel thought.

335. Chapter 335 A New Beginning...and an End to a Friendship?

Authors' note: Thanks again for the great response to the last chapter! We have a long chapter for you guys again. Tonight, finds the Weasley sisters having a get together in the park and you get a glimpse at the Hogwarts crew and what they are up to.

Thanks again for reading and for reviewing!

Although it was a day by day process, Maddie was doing much better. The pain was still there but she was slowly coming out of her depression. As Ethan liked to remind her, they still have six children that needed and loved her.

there but she was slowly coming out of her depression. As Ethan liked to remind her, they still have six children that needed and loved her.

Her sisters were meeting up to talk about Darla's wedding and had invited her and the kids to join them. It was a nice day and Maddie thought taking them to the park would be nice.

"Maddie, Natasha looks more and more like you every single day," Drew said looking down in the pram. "Doesn't she, Dar?"

"She's got your eyes," Darla agreed.

Maddie smiled. "That's what everyone says."

"She's going to have your look," Drew said. "Even if her hair is black."

Darla giggled. "Poor Ethan."

"All these girls will have it," Maddie said, looking at her daughters. Kiera and Gwyn were playing with Rafe and Chloe a few meters away and Maddie gently rocked the two strollers with her four other children in them.

"Our sweet Maddie," Darla said, putting her arm around Maddie.

"Thanks for inviting me out," Maddie looked at her sisters. "This is really nice. Kiera and Gwyn love seeing their cousins and... I've missed everyone."

"We've missed you too," Darla said. "And I'm just glad you're finally leaning on us, Maddie."

"I didn't really know what to do," Maddie confessed. "All I could think about was Gregory. He still is on my mind, constantly."

"Just remember," Drew told her. "One day at a time."

"I know," Maddie said. "You told me it gets a bit easier every day."

"It does," Drew said squeezing her hand.

Maddie nodded as Gwyn ran over to them. "Look!"

"What's that, love?" Maddie asked.

"A butterfly!" Gwyn said excitedly.

Maddie looked at the butterfly in Gwyn's hands. "It's beautiful, Gwyn."

"It likes me," Gwyn said happily.

"How could it not?" Drew asked, tugging affectionately on Gwyn's ponytail. "You're one of

the sweetest little girls in the whole world."

"Animals love her," Maddie said. "It must be a special gift."

"Just like her Mum," Darla said as Gwyn hurried to show her sister and cousins.

Maddie nodded. "It makes me eager to see what will happen with these four."

"They're going to do wonderful things," Drew said confidently. "They're Weasleys and they are Potters."

Maddie laughed for the first time in ages.

Drew and Darla smiled at each other.

"Ethan's such a good dad," Maddie said fondly. "He never complains about dirty nappies, or feeding, or crying or anything."

"You two were made for each other and you have a great little family," Darla said. "I hope that Liam and I will be just as happy."

"Are you two thinking of expanding your little family?" Drew asked her twin.

Darla smiled. "Maybe..."

"You'll have another when the time is right," Maddie said.

"Right now, we have a wedding to plan," Drew said.

Darla grinned. "I'm so excited."

"Last night at dinner, you should have seen him, Maddie," Drew told her younger sister. "He was looking at Darla as if she was the most precious thing in the world to him."

"She is," Maddie smiled at her sister.

Darla grinned. "Well, I want something simple. I was thinking Drew would be my matron of honour and I want you to be my bridesmaid, Maddie."

"We would love to," Maddie said for both of them.

Darla grinned. "And Rafe's going to be Liam's best man."

"That is SO sweet," Drew gushed.

"And what about the honeymoon?" Maddie asked.

"We're going to have a long weekend at a bed and breakfast," Darla said. "Rafe will stay with Hans."

Maddie looked at Darla. "How--how did he take the news?"

Darla shrugged. "He's been seeing Michelle for awhile. I wouldn't be upset if he proposed to her."

Rafe came running up to his mother. "Mummy, I'm hungry."

Darla reached into her bag for some biscuits. "How about you go share these with your cousins?"

"Kay," Rafe said. "But none for the babies..."

"They're too small," Maddie assured him. "So you, Chloe, Kiera and Gwyn can eat them all."

"Do you want one?" Rafe asked smiling at her.

"You're so sweet to share," Maddie ruffled his hair. "But no thank you."

Rafe laughed before running back to his cousins.

"I can't believe you turned down biscuits," Darla said to her sister.

Maddie laughed. "Very funny..."

"I think it might be the first time ever," Darla said. "Someone mark this momentous occasion..."

"I've turned food down before," Maddie said defensively.

"Once..." Drew teased.

"I think there were two times," Darla added.

Maddie nudged her. "Okay, okay..."

"Here Mummy," Kiera came with half a biscuit in her hand. "It's your favourite."

Maddie smiled. "Thanks, Kiera. That's really sweet of you."

Kiera grinned at her. "They're yummy."

Maddie gave her oldest a hug. "Thank you, sweetheart. Not just for the biscuit but for all the help you've given to me.

"Love you, Mummy." Kiera kissed her cheek.

"She is pretty awesome," Drew said affectionately. "Our ickle Kiera."

Kiera grinned at all of them and ran back to her cousins.

"Okay," Maddie said looking at the list in Drew's lap. "Where are you going to getting married, Darla?"

"Maybe the Burrow..." Darla said. "I don't know. We don't want a big wedding. Just family

and close friends."

"Nana would love that," Maddie said. "We could decorate the garden..."

"It would be really lovely and low key," Drew said to her twin.

"That's exactly what we want," Darla said.

"I'll owl Nana tonight," Drew said. "I'm sure she and Grandpa will let us use the Burrow."

"She would love it," Maddie said confidently. "She adores Liam."

"He is fantastic," Darla agreed, laughing.

"Did you hear that, Maddie?" Drew teased. "He's fantastic."

"Perfect in every way?" Maddie asked.

Darla's cheeks reddened. "Yes..."

"She's blushing," Drew sang.

"She's in lurve," Maddie teased.

"Things have been great with him," Darla said. "He's really opened up in the past few years.

When bad things happen with his brother and parents, he doesn't shut me out anymore."

"Speaking of his parents," Drew said. "Will his dad be at the wedding?"

"Liam doesn't want to invite him," Darla said.

"And his mother?" Maddie asked.

"I'm not sure," she said. "We haven't really talked about it yet."

"Well, there's time for that," Maddie said thoughtfully. "And you two want people who love

and care about you there."

"That's very true," Darla said. "He'll just have a few people there. It's our side with the

monster guest list. And I say we leave our lovely Great Aunt Muriel at home."

Drew laughed. "I agree."

Darla shook her head. "I can't believe what she did when she was leaving Saffy's wedding."

Maddie had not heard about this. "What?"

"Nana caught her carrying out a ton of food," Drew said. "Not like a plate, but she was taking pans of food."

Maddie gaped at her. "You've got to be kidding!"

"And she was pissed," Drew said, laughing. "Completely pissed."

Maddie shook her head. "Oh my..."

"I couldn't believe it," Darla said. "Nana was really upset with her."

"As she should be," Drew said. "Miserable, old, Muriel."

Maddie shook her head. "I think she's the one person I could never charm."

"The only one immune to them," Darla said.

Maddie laughed. "This is fun." she said. "I'm having a really good time."

"The Weasley sisters," Drew said grinning at her. "Together again."

"Thanks you two," Maddie hugged them. "I love that I can always talk to you both."

"Always," Drew told her. "You know that."

"And look at our kids," Darla said. "They're having so much fun."

"Even these four," Maddie said peering into the prams.

Christian saw his mother and let out a cry.

Maddie gingerly lifted him into her arms. "What is it, little man?" she asked. "Hmm?"

His little face was screwed up and Maddie patted his back. "Are you hungry?"

"Maybe he just wanted some mummy time," Darla said thoughtfully.

Maddie smiled as she kissed his forehead. "I feel closer to them now." she said softly. "I blamed myself and I was scared for a little while."

"But you're getting better each day," Drew said. "That's all that matters and you have to

keep telling yourself that it was not your fault. There was nothing you could have done."

"I told Drew that every day." Darla said.

"She did," Drew said. "And we'll do whatever we can to help you, Maddie. All you have to

do is ask."

"I know," Maddie nodded. "Thank you. It's been a lot better ever since Ethan and I opened up."

Drew smiled. "You need to lean on each other."

"And you have those two," Darla nodded to Maddie's daughters. "They're good girls."

Maddie followed Darla's gaze and saw Kiera pushing Gwyn on a swing.

"I won't go high," Kiera promised Gwyn.

"Kay," Gwyn said happily.

"Just hold on," Kiera told her.

Kiera gently pushed her sister and Gwyn laughed. "Look, Mummy!" Gwyn called out.

"I see," Maddie waved to them.

"Were we ever that young?" Darla asked.

"It seems a long time ago," Maddie said.

Darla smiled. "Once upon a time, that was me pushing you on that swing, Mad Dog."

Maddie laughed again. "I haven't heard that name in a long time."

"Jon's nickname for you," Darla said. "Merlin, we had some great times when we were

younger, didn't we?"

"We had great childhoods," Drew agreed.

"We did," Maddie said kissing the top of Christian's head.

"Someone else wants a little attention," Darla lifted Arielle from the pram.

"I'm glad to have the extra hands," Maddie said to her sisters.

"I don't know how you and Ethan do it when you're home by yourselves and all four want something," Drew said.

"It can get a little crazy," Maddie admitted.

"No wonder Mum goes over there all the time," Darla joked.

Maddie laughed. "We'll take all the help we can get."

"Mummy I have to use the loo," Chloe said.

Drew stood up and took her hand. "Come on, then."

"We will be right back," Chloe said to her aunts. "Tell the babies not to do anything funny!"

Maddie laughed. "I promise."

Chloe grinned and hurried away with Drew.

Darla held Arielle and her thoughts wandered to Liam. She wondered what he was doing.

Today was a day off for him and she hoped he was getting some much needed rest.

He had moved in with her and Rafe. Darla had realised how much she missed having someone else around once he had proposed.

"You okay?" Maddie asked her sister.

"Never been better," Darla replied. "I think Rafe and I are going to get going soon. I want to

see what Liam's up to."

"Uh huh," Maddie teased.

"I told him to take it easy today," Darla said. "He works so hard."

Maddie nodded. "I know."

"Rafe!" Darla called her son. "We're going home."

Rafe protested at first, but he said a quick goodbye to his cousins.

"I bet Liam's home," Darla said, taking his hand.

Rafe grinned up at her.

"You love him, don't you?" Darla asked her son.

Rafe nodded.

"He'll be a good step dad for you," Darla said softly. "And Hans is still a good father."

"I love Daddy," Rafe said.

"You have a lot of people who love you," Darla said to her son.

"I know," Rafe said happily.

Darla picked him up and hugged him to her. "And you're my best guy."

Rafe laughed. "Mummy!"

Darla kissed his cheek. "I love you."

The two of them walked into the house and Rafe grinned. "Something smells yummy!"

"Yes it does," Darla agreed as they went into the kitchen to see Liam at the stove

"Hiya," Liam said grinning at them. "You're just in time for lunch."

Rafe reached for him. "What is it?"

Liam lifted him. "Irish stew. My great-grandmother's recipe."

Darla gave her fiancé a kiss. "We had a few bites at the park, but this makes me hungry all over again.

"Me too," Rafe said.

"Well pull up a seat," Liam said. "It's all ready."

"Fantastic," Darla said setting her things down. "So, did you enjoy your lie in this morning?"

He looked slightly embarrassed. "I was up right after you two left."

Darla shook her head. "Liam..."

"I know," he said. "But I did take a nice long shower."

Darla smiled. "Maybe when Rafe goes down for his kip after lunch, you and I can have one, too."

He grinned at her. "That sounds like a plan."

Rafe looked at his mother. "I don't want to kip, Mummy."

"You will after you eat," Darla said.

Rafe shook his head. "No."

"Yes," Darla said firmly as Liam put bowls of stew in front of all of them.

Rafe told Liam about playing with his cousins and the fun he had at the park. "I wish Noah and Aidan had been there. Too many girls."

Liam laughed. "Or maybe Christian and Erik need to grow up faster?"

Darla looked at her son. "You loved being the only boy with all those girls."

"No I didn't," Rafe denied.

Darla grinned. "I know why you're so upset. Your little girlfriend, Ellie, wasn't there..."

Rafe cast her an angry look.

Darla held up her hands. "I'm sorry, sweetheart. No more teasing."

"Don't really like her," Rafe said, eating his stew.

The last time Rafe and Ellie had a play date, she had made him play dress up and had come up with a scenario that they were going on a real date.

Liam laughed. "One of these days you'll change your mind about girls."

"Liam's right," Darla said.

"No," Rafe shook his head.

"Never say never," Darla told him.

Liam grinned at his soon to be stepson. "You'll like girls when you're good and ready, right?"

Rafe looked up at him and grinned back. "Right."

"My compliments to the chef," Darla said. "I'm glad I'm marrying a man who can cook."

"The truth comes out," Liam said.

"Can't deny it," Darla teased.

"He cooks good," Rafe agreed.

"This is why you had me move in," Liam said. "Slave labour..."

"That and free medical care," Darla said grinning at him.

"And all along I thought it was my good looks," Liam replied.

"That's a perk," Darla said.

Liam grinned at her.

After lunch, Darla took Rafe into his room for his kip. Liam cleaned up the mess in the kitchen before joining her in their bedroom.

"All of that protesting and he was asleep almost before his head hit the pillow," Darla told

him.

"He's at that age where he wants to be independent," Liam said. "At the time, he didn't want

to kip, so he wasn't going to."

"I know," Darla said snuggling up to him.

He wrapped his arms around her. "My brother owled me."

"Oh?" Darla asked.

"He's coming to the wedding." Liam said.

Darla smiled. "That's great!"

"I'm going to ask him to stand up with Rafe," Liam said.

Darla looked at him. "I think that's a fantastic idea."

Liam tightened his arms around her. "Did you get any planning done this morning?"

"A little," Darla replied. "We were thinking of having the wedding at the Burrow...in the garden."

"Whatever you want," he said, kissing her.

"Well, this is your wedding too," Darla said softly.

"Yes but I'm happy with whatever you want," Liam told her. "At the end of the day, all I care about is being married to you."

Darla grinned. "That's all that matters to me, too."

He laughed and rolled her up on top of him. "Why do I have the feeling that kipping is the

last thing on your mind?"

"Well," Darla said huskily. "We can sleep...after."

"Yes," he agreed, running his hands up under her shirt. "We can sleep after..."

"You have to take your moments where you can," Darla said before kissing him.

Liam ran his hands up through her long hair. "I love you," he whispered.

"I love you," Darla said softly.

"Sometimes I still can't believe we're together," he said. "After everything that happened a few years ago."

"Me either, but here we are," Darla said. "Together and happy and about to be married. You saw me through one of the toughest parts of my life."

"And you've seen me through several tough parts of mine," Liam said. "I know my father

has never made any effort to meet you..."

Darla put her finger to his lips. "That doesn't matter to me."

"It bothers me," he replied.

"He's never made an effort with you," Darla said quietly. "And that's what bothers me."

"I really want my mother to come to our wedding," Liam confessed. "But not him. I don't ever want to see him again."

Darla nodded. "Whatever you want, Liam."

"I'll talk to Conor about getting her to come," Liam said thoughtfully.

"You're going to be a great stepfather to Rafe," Darla said. "And if we have children, you'll be a great father. You're the most caring person I know."

"I'd like to have kids," Liam said. "Eventually."

Darla tugged at his t-shirt. "But for now..."

"We can practise," Liam said huskily.

Darla grinned. "You read my mind."

*** *** ***

It had been a week since their Hogsmeade visit and Brittany still refused to speak to any of them. It was upsetting to Ashley that they were about to end their school career on such a bad note. And she still didn't want her best friend to be scammed into a career she wanted badly.

They were sitting down for breakfast and Brittany had glared at them before taking her seat. "Caroline," she said. "Would you ask Zander to pass me the juice?"

Caroline sighed. "Zander--"

"I heard," Zander said rolling his eyes and handing the younger girl the juice. "Here."

"Thanks..." Caroline passed the jug to Brittany.

"Caroline, could you ask Ashley, my ex-best friend, to pass me the fruit?" Brittany asked.

"No," Caroline said. "You have to ask her yourself."

"Look at that," Zander commented. "A third-year is acting more mature than a seventeen year old girl."

"Shut it," Brittany glared at him.

A silence fell over the table, save for Mia and Carolina chatting about an assignment for class. Evan came into the Great Hall and took his seat beside Zander. "Morning, mate."

"Hey," Zander nodded to him.

"Brit," Evan said looking at his ex.

"Hello, Evan," Brittany said sweetly.

Ashley and Zander shared a look. They had clued Evan in on what was going on with the

photographer. He had been reluctant to get involved to say the least.

"What's new?" Evan asked Brittany.

"I'm going to model," she announced, telling him the news about her upcoming meeting with the agent.

Evan took a deep breath. "You really think that's wise?" he asked carefully. "I mean, you're not supposed to pay for head shots."

The smile from Brittany's face fell. "Well, what would you know about it?"

"James told me his cousin went through something similar," Evan said. "Said she paid all

kinds of money and the bloke took off."

Brittany glared at Ashley. "Did you put him up to this?"

"I haven't talked to James in ages," Ashley said quietly. "So no. But I am concerned."

Brittany just shook her head.

Ashley sighed and turned back to her sketchbook.

"Brit, come on," Evan said. "You're too smart to fall for something like this."

Brittany rolled her eyes. "That's rich coming from you, Evan."

He raised an eyebrow. "What's that supposed to mean?

"You weren't so flattering last time you spoke to me," Brittany said acidly.

"We were breaking up at the time," Evan pointed out. "But, that doesn't mean I don't still

care."

"Sure you don't," Brittany shoved back from the table. "I've lost my appetite."

Her fellow Gryffindors watched her go. Ashley sighed. "There's no getting through to her.

We've tried everything."

"Maybe she's just got to make the mistake," Evan said. "I hate to say it..."

"Maybe he's right, Ash," Zander said.

Ashley shook her head. "I won't let her do it. I'll talk to my dad or something. He's in the industry, maybe she'll listen to him."

"What about Lavender?" Caroline asked. "She's a designer."

Ashley brightened. "That's a GREAT idea, Caroline! And I'll talk to Beth, too, since she works for Lavender."

Caroline smiled. "Anything to help."

"I'm going to owl her right now," Ashley stuffed her things in her bag.

"Good luck," Evan told her.

"I'll need it," Ashley said as she hurried off

Evan looked at Zander. "I should have known better. She's not going to listen to me, mate. She hates me."

"And us too it seems," Zander said glumly.

"She's just scared," Evan said. "She acts like that when she's scared."

"You know her better than the rest of us," Zander looked at his friend.

"She's stubborn as a mule," Evan said, shaking his head. "And she can drive you bloody crazy."

"I've known that for years," Zander said dryly.

"She knows deep down you and Ash are only trying to help," Evan said.

Meanwhile, Ashley was hurrying back to the dormitory to write her letter when she bumped into Brittany.

Brittany rolled her eyes. "Let me by."

"Brit why won't you let us help you?" Ashley asked. "We don't want to see you get hurt."

"I'm not going to get hurt," Brittany said. "I'm going to be famous."

"I hope you are famous someday," Ashley said. "I really do. But I just think bloke is shady."

Brittany shook her head. "You're wrong."

Ashley rolled her eyes. "Well what makes you the expert? Just because he told you that you're pretty?"

"Well," Brittany scoffed. "I obviously know more about fashion that you. You think jeans and a jumper are haute couture."

"So what?" Ashley asked hotly. "I don't care about fashion and I'm not ashamed of that."

"So, how would you know anything about this?" Brittany asked. "Your father is a musician and you've dated a couple of musicians. You know absolutely nothing, Ashley. Nothing."

"Again, what makes you the expert?" Ashley asked, growing even more angry. "The hundreds of fashion magazines you waste your money on?"

"Oh, go put your nose in some book!" Brittany retorted.

"Go get scammed for hundreds of pounds," Ashley snapped.

"Fine!" Brittany said pushing past her.

Ashley couldn't remember the last time she was so angry. She and Brittany had never

fought before.

Ashley could not understand why Brittany would not listen to reason. Did she seriously think everyone wanted to prevent her dream from coming true? Ashley wanted nothing but the best for her friend, but not when everything about this screamed that it was a scam.

She decided to forget the letter to Lavender. If Brittany wanted to fall for something so ridiculous, she deserved to.

Ashley made her way to her classroom, still seething over her argument with Brittany. To her relief, Brittany was sitting with Corinne in Herbology. Ashley took her seat beside Zander.

"Did you write the letter?" Zander asked her.

Ashley shook her head and then told him what had happened. "She just---she won't listen to anyone, Zander."

"This is mad," Zander whispered. "I've never seen her like this."

"I've never fought with her like this," Ashley said.

"We have our arguments but never this bad," Zander agreed. "I guess we'll just have to let

her do it."

"I don't want her to do this, but I don't think we have any other option," Ashley whispered.

Zander squeezed her hand under the desk.

"Let her do it and come crawling back to us," he said.

Ashley nodded. "You think?"

"Who wouldn't want to be friends with us?" Zander joked.

"Me, maybe," Ashley said looking at him. "But, you...not so much."

"Ash!" Zander's jaw dropped.

Ashley nudged him. "Only joking. You're a great friend, Zander."

"I know," Zander smirked.

Ashley was going to say something else when their professor entered the greenhouse and started the lesson. It was basically review for their upcoming exam.

"I can't wait until this is all finished," Zander muttered under his breath.

"I know, but I'll miss it," Ashley whispered.

"I'll miss it a little," he admitted.

"You'll miss Snape," Ashley teased.

"Like a bloody unforgivable curse," Zander said dryly.

"And Sam," Ashley whispered.

Zander turned and made a face at her.

Ashley stifled a giggle. "Your bestest friend in the whole wide world."

"That would be you,Malfoy." Zander told her.

Ashley poked him in the side.

Brittany glowered at the two of them. "Seems like they're just fine without me."

Corinne looked up from her notes. "Who?"

"Those two," Brittany nodded her head.

Corinne followed her gaze. "Brit..."

"I should be mad at you too since you don't believe me," Brittany answered, shoving her

book away.

"I said that it sounded a bit strange, but you do more about this stuff than me," Corinne

corrected her.

"Whatever," Brittany said. "When I'm famous they'll come crawling back to me."

"Could I be your personal assistant?" Corinne asked.

"Maybe," Brittany said.

Corinne smiled. "What do you think you'll wear?"

"Only the newest and best fashions," Brittany tossed her head back.

Brittany saw Evan walking to the front of the class. He would be one of the ones crawling back to her when she became famous, she thought.

She did have to wonder why he'd tried to discourage her. Their breakup hadn't exactly been

amicable but it also hadn't been downright awful.

If she was being entirely honest, she had never cared for someone as much as she cared

for him. He had been her first love and he had put up with quite a bit.

Evan turned and caught her looking over at him.

They all took their places at different stations in the greenhouse and Evan managed to stand beside Brittany. "You know I miss you complaining about getting soil under your nails."

"Hmm..." Brittany managed to make herself sound bored.

"Remember when you stuck your hands in that bucket and an earthworm crawled up your

arm," Evan recalled. "I think they heard you squealing in Iceland."

Brittany bit down on her lower lip to keep from laughing. "That wasn't THAT funny..."

"You were kind of adorable," Evan admitted.

"Adorable..." Brittany said.

"And let's not forget how you tried to put lip gloss on your mandrakes," Evan remembered.

"They had chapped lips," Brittany replied.

Evan chuckled. "And that time during sixth year when I had detention and had to clean up the greenhouses. You snuck in here to keep me company."

"Feels like a long time ago," Brittany said.

Evan was silent as he planted some seeds in the soil. He looked over at her. "I'm sorry about this morning. It wasn't my place to say anything," he finally said.

"I don't want to talk about it," Brittany replied.

"Fair enough," Evan said. "So when is it? Your photo shoot?"

"Soon," Brittany said vaguely.

"Is anyone going with you?" Evan asked.

"I don't know yet," Brittany replied.

"What if I came with you?" Evan asked looking properly at her. "We could make a day of it."

"I don't think Miranda would like that," Brittany stuffed some seeds into the dirt

"Well since she and I are no longer seeing each other, it doesn't really matter what she thinks," Evan commented.

"You go through girls sort of fast," Brittany said quickly.

"She's the only girl I've dated this year other than you," Evan pointed out.

Brittany cast him a doubtful look.

"Well, what about you and what's his name?" Evan countered.

"That's no one's business but mine," Brittany said.

"My offer still stands," Evan said. "I'd like to go with you. If you'd let me."

"This is my thing," Brittany said. "All you would do is second guess and question everything

that goes on."

"No, I wouldn't," Evan promised. "I'd keep my mouth shut the entire time. If I open my mouth you can hex me."

Brittany shook her head.

"I know, I know," Evan said with a grin. "You're afraid that you'd hurt me, but your hexes aren't that good."

"Hardly," Brittany replied.

"Just think about it," Evan told her.

"Maybe," she relented

Evan finished planting his seeds. "You know, that agent did have one thing right. You are beautiful, Brit."

She blushed a little. "You always were a flatterer."

Evan smiled. "It's the truth."

"Thanks," Brittany said as she finished her seeds.

"And we can celebrate afterward," Evan said to her.

"I never said I wanted anyone to go," Brittany replied.

"You want to go alone then?" Evan asked her.

"I can take care of myself," Brittany replied. "You all seem to think I'm incapable of doing anything other than read a magazine."

"I never said you couldn't," Evan said. "You can do anything you want, Brit."

"And I will," Brittany said.

"Whatever you do, you'll be great at it," Evan told her.

"Thanks," Brittany said.

"So what do you say?" Evan asked.

"I don't know," Brittany said. "Why are you suddenly so interested in me again?"

"We're still friends, right?" Evan asked. "And we've been through a lot together."

"Yeah," Brittany shrugged.

"And if I was trying out for a Quidditch team, I'd want you there for support," Evan said.

Brittany looked over at him. "You would?"

Evan nodded. "Of course. You were my good luck charm, remember? You were there when I tried out the first time."

Brittany smiled. "I forgot about that."

"Just think about it and let me know if you change your mind," Evan said before heading to

the front of the greenhouse.

Brittany watched him go and wondered what his motive was. They hadn't had much to say to one another in the past few months and here he was acting interested in her again. Still, other than Corinne, he was the only other person, who seemed to want to support her.

She turned and glared again at Ashley and Zander who weren't paying her one bit of attention.

Her best friends, she thought bitterly. Brittany had always supported Ashley with her art and though she could care less about Quidditch, she had endured many days in the cold watching Zander's matches.

"Creeps," she muttered under her breath.

They would all be eating their words in just a few days, she thought happily. In just a few days, Brittany would begin her dream and she knew she would never look back.

336. Chapter 336 Looking Back, Moving Forward

Authors' note: You get your Harry/Hermione fix this week and this is going to begin their storyline. It looks at first like filler but it's setting up for their big storyline. And, you also get a flashback courtesy of Nick. Please read and review!

Harry came home from work to the sounds of laughter coming from the sitting room. He stood in the doorway and watched as Gwyn and Ellie tried to style Hermione's hair. The two four-year olds had given Hermione four ponytails and were working diligently on a fifth.

Hermione winced, but still wore a smile as Ellie reached for a band.

"You're going to be absolutely gorgeous!" Ellie told her grandmother.

"Uh huh," Gwyn agreed. "So pretty!"

Gwyn and Ellie were having a sleepover at their grandparents' house which wasn't surprising since Ellie and Gwyn were thick as thieves.

"Grandpa!" Ellie exclaimed.

"Princess Elinore," Harry said, bowing. "And Princess Gwyn...how old are you two now? Twenty?"

Gwyn giggled. "No!"

"Like my new 'do?" Hermione asked grinning at him.

"You're stunning," Harry grinned back at her.

Ellie nudged Gwyn. "We should do Grandpa's hair next. It's a big mess!"

"Yeah!" Gwyn agreed. "Make you look nice, Grandpa!"

"I don't already look nice?" Harry asked.

"More handsomer?" Ellie tried.

"Much better," Harry said, taking off his cloak. "So how much have I missed?"

"I made the girls dinner," Hermione said. "There's some waiting for you as well."

"It's really good," Gwyn told him.

"What did she make you?" Harry asked.

"Chicken," Ellie replied sitting back down and grabbing Hermione's hair again.

Hermione winced and Harry fought back a grin. "I'll go get my dinner and be right back."

"Grandma?" Gwyn asked.

"Yes, love?" Hermione asked.

"Can we stay up all night?" Gwyn asked.

Hermione laughed. "You think you can make it all night?"

"Kiki said I couldn't," Gwyn said with a grin. "But I can."

Hermione smiled. "We'll stay up as late as we can," she promised.

Ellie looked at Gwyn. "After this, you can fix my hair. My big date with Rafe."

"Okay," Gwyn nodded. "He's very handsome."

Hermione smiled. "Is this your first date, Ellie?"

"Yes," Ellie nodded as she twisted another rubber band around Hermione's ponytail.

"Saffy didn't mention this," Hermione said.

"It's a secret," Ellie told her.

Hermione held out her pinky finger. "I promise I will not tell."

Ellie grinned at her and hooked her little pinky. "It's okay if you do. I think Mummy likes Rafe."

"She does," Hermione agreed.

"After our date we can get married," Ellie said.

"Wow," Gwyn said.

"Who's getting married?" Harry asked as he came back in.

"Ellie and Rafe," Gwyn replied.

"You can't get married yet," Harry said dramatically.

Ellie giggled. "Why not?"

"You're my little girls," Harry said. "Your grandpa isn't ready to see you married off yet."

Gwyn tapped Harry on the shoulder. "Grandpa. It's only pretend!"

"Only pretend?" Harry asked. "Well... I can handle pretend."

Gwyn grinned. "Do you and Grandma go on dates?"

"We sure do," Harry nodded.

Gwyn looked at him in surprise. "You're old!"

Hermione laughed at the expression on her husband's face. "You do have a few more grey hairs than you used to."

"Mummy says it's salt and pepper," Ellie replied.

"I do not have salt and pepper hair," Harry said. "Not yet. There's still more black in here."

Hermione stifled a laugh.

"I think it's nice," Ellie said, getting up and going over to him. "I think you are handsome."

Harry lifted her onto his lap. "Thank you, El."

Ellie gave him a hug. "I love you."

"I love you too," Harry said hugging her tightly.

"It's your turn," Gwyn told Ellie. "Time to make you beeeyooootiful!"

Ellie grinned and slid off the sofa to join her cousin on the floor. Hermione took the seat beside her husband. "I think I'll wear this look at my next press conference," she whispered to him.

"It would be quite the hit," Harry said dryly. "This is delicious by the way."

Hermione smiled. "I'm glad you like it. How was work?"

"You're not going to believe this," Harry said. "But Lupin's thinking of retiring."

Hermione gaped at him. "Really?"

"I know," Harry said. "Never thought I'd see the day."

"He's been in charge for a long time," Hermione commented.

"I'm surprised you didn't know," Harry said as Gwyn and Ellie giggled about something.

“Me too," Hermione said. "But, then again, I've been busy with the budget."

"Well," Harry said. "I think he wants me or Neville to take over as head of the department."

Hermione smiled. "Would you want to do that?"

"Sure," Harry replied. "Who wouldn't want that? Field work only when I want it, I don't have to take all the out of town trips anymore..."

"I like that," Hermione said resting her head on his shoulder.

"Look Grandma," Gwyn said.

Hermione looked over at her granddaughters. "Did you do that, baby?" she asked Gwyn.

Gwyn nodded. "I practise on Mummy sometimes."

"That's 'cause your Mummy has hair like a doll's," Ellie said.

"Maddie does have beautiful hair," Hermione agreed. "And I'm sure she loves to let you play with it."

Gwyn nodded. "I'm just happy she plays with me now."

"I'm happy to see her smile again," Harry said. "She loves all of you very much."

Gwyn smiled. "And Blue!"

"The Blue Devil," Harry intoned.

"I miss Puddles," Ellie said frowning.

"I know you do," Hermione soothed.

Ellie had to leave their dog behind when Edward had thrown a temper tantrum at the prospect of the dog leaving with Ellie for the night.

"I'll share Blue," Gwyn said.

"That's very sweet of you, Gwyn," Hermione said.

Harry picked her up and gave her a hug. "How would you like some ice cream?"

"Ooooh!" Gwyn said brightly. "Chocolate chip ice cream?"

"Chocolate chip," Harry said standing up with her. "Well, let's go and see what we have, shall we?"

"Me too?" Ellie asked.

Hermione picked her up. "Of course. I bought loads of stuff for my girls."

"Yummy," Ellie said happily. "Let's go!"

Hermione smiled. She remembered all the times she and Lavender had shared ice cream like this when they were younger. It was a tradition they still continued to this day. She was glad that Ellie and Gwyn were as close as they were.

"You two princess sit in your thrones," Harry said. With a wave of his hand he transfigured two of the kitchen chairs into plush purple and red thrones.

Ellie and Gwyn giggled happily.

"What do you girls want on your ice cream?" Hermione asked.

"Hot fudge," Ellie replied.

"Cherries!" Gwyn said as she climbed onto her throne.

"Alright," Hermione said getting two dishes from the cabinet.

"Lots of cherries," Gwyn said. "They're my favourites!"

"I know," Harry said. He nudged his wife. "We can do things like this more often, too, you

know?"

"We could," Hermione nodded. "I love this."

"Me too," Harry said. "Spending time with our grandchildren. Remember when we used to

dream about growing old together and doing that?"

Hermione nodded. "It's exactly as I'd always hoped."

Harry looked over his shoulder and saw Ellie and Gwyn happily chattering away. He wished his parents would have been able to experience the same thing with Saffy, Ethan, and Julie.

It reminded him of another time Frank Longbottom had showed him a few memories. This one had been of the four of them with Remus and Sirius had even popped in.

"Sirius Black!" Lily exclaimed. "Don't you dare try and give Harry some of your butterbeer! He's just a baby!"

"One sip isn’t going to hurt him, Lil," Sirius said.

“You keep this up and I'll rethink your role as godfather," Lily said lifting Harry out of his crib. "My little boy is not going to be corrupted by you lot."

Sirius made a goofy face at Harry and the little boy laughed.

"How about your little one, Frank?" Sirius asked.

"He doesn't like butterbeer," Frank said sheepishly.

Neville tugged at Frank's leg and held up his arms.

Sirius laughed. "Already tried it?"

Alice rolled her eyes. "Frank left his glass on the coffee table and Neville snuck a sip."

"His face was funny," Frank confessed, lifting his son up.

Lily sat down on the sofa with her son. "You and Neville are going to be good boys, aren't you?"

Harry only grinned at her.

"You see that face?" Remus asked. "That's Sirius hanging around too much."

"I think you're right Moony," James said.

"Thanks so much, Prongs," Sirius rolled his eyes. "I'm under appreciated, as always."

"Oh, poor Padfoot," Lupin said sitting down beside Lily.

Lily hugged her son to her. "You always play the wounded one, Sirius."

"I am the lad's godfather," Sirius pointed out. "I'm going to set a good example for him even

though you lot think that's impossible."

James laughed at his best friend.

"Which is why you wanted me to go out with you to the pub," James said. "Those days are behind me, mate. I want to spend all the time I can with my wife and son."

Sirius shook his head. "What about you, Moony?"

"I have training tomorrow," Lupin replied. He was in his final year of Auror training and was at the top of his class.

Sirius rolled is eyes. "I would ask Peter but I haven't seen his snivelly arse anywhere around here lately."

"He'd repel the ladies," James told him.

"True," Sirius said. "I guess I should go alone. Maybe then I'll get some company."

Harry reached for James.

"Hey little man," James took him from Lily.

"James is turned into a grandfather at such a young age," Sirius said dryly.

“It's called being a parent," James said to his best friend.

"And he's going to be a great grandfather some day," Lily said proudly. "We'll sit on the front steps and watch them play in the yard."

James grinned at his wife. "That sounds good to me."

"How many of those grandchildren are you planning to have, Lil?" Sirius asked.

"Six or seven?" Lily asked with a laugh. "Once Harry gets a brother or sister of course..."

Harry laughed and reached for James' fringe.

"No, Harry." James said. "Leave Daddy's hair be."

Sirius grinned. "No, Harry. Give it a good tug."

"Let's let him grab your hair," James replied. "See how you like seeing half of it in his hand."

"He has quite a grip," Lupin commented.

"Is that why you've got a bald spot?" Sirius peered at Remus's head.

"Very funny," Lupin said, glaring at him.

Sirius grinned and downed the rest of his butterbeer. "I'll see you lot later."

"Wave bye to your godfather," James said, holding up his son's hand.

Harry laughed again, as did Neville.

Lily looked over at Alice. "That's the sweetest sound in the world, isn't it?"

"I love it," Alice said.

James tickled Harry's stomach and he laughed. "Little man..."

"I do love the idea of someday sitting around here like this with grandchildren," Alice said softly.

"Teaching them to fly," James said.

"Harry's going to love flying," Lily said. "I just know it."

"He'll be a natural," James said confidently.

"I hope Neville enjoys it too," Frank looked lovingly down at his son. "I want so much for him."

"They're going to do great things," Alice said.

"Of course they are," Lily said, taking Harry back again. "Are you hungry, love?"

Harry just grinned at her in response.

"We gave Neville ice cream for the first time t he other day," Alice told Lily. "He absolutely loved it."

"Harry loves it too," Lily said.

"I've got some in the kitchen," Alice said.

"Brilliant," James said. "I'm starving."

"Me too," Frank said as Remus also got up and followed them into the kitchen.

Alice and Lily put their sons in their high chairs. Peaceful nights like these were rare and the two mothers treasured every moment like this.

"So ice cream for ALL the children?" Lily asked teasingly.

"Sirius is gone," James said sneaking a kiss from her. "No children here."

Lily laughed. "That means more ice cream for everyone."

Harry clapped his little hands together.

"Me!" Neville chimed in.

Alice knelt down and pecked her son on the cheek. "My sweet boy!"

Harry looked over at Neville and grinned at him.

In the present, Harry grinned at his two granddaughters as he handed them each a bowl of ice cream.

"Thanks Grandpa," Ellie said. "Best ice cream ever."

Harry smiled at her. "I'm glad you like it, El."

"Chocolate chip is my favourite," Gwyn had a smear of it on her chin.

Hermione reached for her camera. She had to get a photo of this.

"How about a taste of that?" Harry asked Gwyn.

Gwyn dipped her spoon into the bowl and held it out to him.

Hermione snapped the picture as Harry ate the bit of ice cream. "You're right," Harry

agreed. "That is the best."

"Yeah," Harry nodded, sharing a look with his wife. "This is the best."

*** *** ***

Nick had been keeping busy as of late, working on his newest album as well as helping his daughter's boyfriend organise his tour. The end of the school year was approaching fast, and so was the anniversary of his father's death.

Nick wished that he had gotten to know that side of his father earlier in his life. But, then again, his father had not been sick before. That illness had put things into perspective for both of them.

It had been good for him to see a better side of Draco Malfoy in the weeks before his death.

They had actually talked to each other. His father was still arrogant and still selfish, but he had shared some thoughts with his son. Nick had even heard stories from his father's childhood.

It had helped him understand why Draco was the way he was. Lucius had never been a father to him and Narcissa had never wanted to do anything to cross her husband.

"I don't even know why they had a child," Draco had told him. "I remember feeling so happy when they'd come to something for school. But, if I failed, they would be so...angry; humiliated."

Nick had nodded thoughtfully. "Is that why you always pushed me?"

Draco looked at him with weak eyes and gave a slight nod.

"That sort of explains a lot of things," Nick said. "But I suppose it's also where I got my independent streak."

"Bloody independent you were," Draco said. "Did everything I always wanted to do."

"I did?" Nick asked in surprise.

"Not everything, mind you," Draco said. "But, the fact that you were able to stand up to your mother and me."

"Yeah well..." Nick felt a little embarrassed now.

"And you married that Potter girl," Draco said weakly.

"Julie," Nick said. "Her name is Julie."

Draco nodded. "She--she thinks this is insane, doesn't she? You being here."

"No," Nick shook his head. "She supports me. She knows that this is important."

"Very different from your mother," Draco said quietly.

"Don't think about her," Nick said. "Not anymore."

Draco nodded. "It's not going to be long now, you know?"

"I know," Nick said heavily. "And now I wish we had longer."

"Me too," Draco said. "You're a good man, Nicholas. You deserved better than your mother

and me."

"I wouldn't say that now," Nick said. "Not now."

Draco held out his hand.

Nick smiled as he shook it firmly.

"Katherine and Ashley are lucky," Draco said hoarsely. "They had something you and I never had...a good father."

"Thanks," Nick said. "That means a lot to me."

Draco closed his eyes and was silent for a few moments.

"Dad?" Nick asked in alarm.

Draco opened his eyes. "I'm just tired, Nicholas."

"Oh," Nick said. "All right. I'll let you be, then. I can come back later tonight."

Draco shook his head. "Stay..."

"Are you sure?" Nick asked.

Draco nodded. "I'm just going to sleep."

"Okay," Nick nodded. "I'm going to grab some coffee and I'll be back."

Draco closed his eyes again and Nick listened to the sound of his father's laboured breathing.

He waited a few minutes and quietly left the room to get some coffee.

"Nicholas!" he heard someone call out. Nick sighed and slowly turned around to see his mother walking toward him.

"I'm not telling him you're here," Nick said before she could get another word out.

"I want to see him!" Ginny pleaded.

"No," Nick said sharply.

"I need to clear things up with him," Ginny said, grabbing hold of his arm.

"Too late," Nick said. "He's sleeping right now and I won't have you waking him up."

Ginny pouted. Nick could see the wheels turning in her head.

"All this time," Nick said. "You worried about him cheating on you when it was the other way

around."

Ginny folded her arms. "He did cheat on me! All those nights away from me... saying he was 'working'."

"Where's your proof?" Nick demanded.

Ginny looked flustered for a moment. "I-I don't need proof. A woman knows."

"Sure," Nick said sarcastically.

"I need to clear this up," Ginny said pleadingly. "I really, really do."

"You want him to let you back in the will is all," Nick accused.

"That's not true!" Ginny protested.

"Yes it is," he answered. "My father never cheated on you. He would have told you flat out if

he had."

"How would you know?" Ginny asked him angrily. "You hardly know him!"

"I think I've gotten to know him better in the last weeks than you have all your life," Nick retorted.

Ginny glared at him. "How dare you!"

"How dare I what?" Nick asked. "Tell the truth?"

Ginny shook her head.

"You never have been able to stand yourself," Nick said. "And now you have nothing."

Ginny looked like she wanted to slap him.

"Just go, Mother." Nick said. "Just go."

"I love your father," Ginny told him quietly.

"Right," Nick said.

Ginny gave him one last pleading look before finally turning on her heel and walking away.

"Good riddance," Nick muttered as he went to go get his coffee.

When he came back to the room a few minutes later, his father was resting. Nick sat down and thought about all the times when he was younger and not feeling well, how he would wish for his father to sit by his side.

He was lucky that his parents hired Greta. She had been more of a mother to him than

Ginny ever could have tried to be.

Nick sat back down and studied his father.

He had always remembered looking up to his father but now, especially now, they seemed even. Draco didn't seem larger than life anymore.

Draco's eyes blinked open.

"Hey," Nick said. "You didn't sleep long..."

Draco held out his hand and Nick took it and gave it a squeeze.

"Do you need anything?" Nick asked him.

Draco opened his mouth to say something but all that came out was a raspy breath.

"Dad?" Nick asked in alarm.

Draco's hand went limp in Nick's.

"DAD!" Nick shouted. There was no response. Nick ran for the door. "Nurse! Nurse!" he shouted.

Several healers pushed past him and into Draco's room. "You need to wait out here," a nurse pulled Nick aside.

Nick nodded, still in shock.

He watched through the window as the healers surrounded his father.

"Come on, Dad," Nick whispered.

His heart sank when he saw one of the healers shake his head.

The healer came over to him, but he did not really have to say it. Nick already knew.

"He's gone," Nick said quietly.

"We did everything we could," the healer said. "I'm sorry."

Nick nodded, feeling numb as he stared inside at his father. Or rather... his father's body.

"Would you like a moment with him?" the healer asked.

"Yes," Nick said. "Thank you."

Nick walked back into the room and sat back down. If only they had more time, he thought to himself.

He sat and stared at Draco's still form for a few moments and realised he wanted his wife there. Julie could always help him sort out his thoughts and he honestly didn't know how

long he could hold it together on his own.

He Apparated away to his home. There were tears in his eyes as he called out for Julie.

She came hurrying into the sitting room. "Nick? What's wrong?"

"He's---he's gone, Jules," Nick managed.

"What?" Julie stared at him for a moment. "Nick... your father?"

Nick nodded. "Just now..."

"Oh Nick," Julie hugged her husband. "I'm so sorry. I am so, so sorry."

Nick hugged her tightly and cried into her shoulder.

Julie held him tightly. "Were you there?"

"Yes," Nick said looking up at her.

Julie ran her hand through his hair. "What do you need me to do?"

"Go back with me," Nick replied. "Please. I can't do this by myself."

"Of course," Julie nodded. "Anything."

Nick shook his head. "I can't believe he's gone."

Julie nodded again. "Just as you two were getting close."

Nick took her hand. "We---we should go."

"Of course," Julie said and they Apparated to St. Mungos.

The healers had some paperwork for Nick to sign and he was still in shock as he absently signed his name on the papers.

"We should go spend a few minutes with him," Julie suggested softly.

Nick nodded. "I'd like that."

Julie squeezed his hand. "Where's his room?"

"Just this way," Nick said.

Julie followed her husband down the corridor and saw her father in law's body still on the bed. "Nick--"

He turned and looked at her.

"He looks so... small..." Julie whispered.

Nick nodded. His wife hadn't seen Draco since that day he'd shown up at the house unexpectedly.

"I had no idea," Julie said softly.

"He was really weak," Nick said quietly. "Sleeping a lot, not eating..."

"It was his time," Julie said, trying to be reassuring.

"I wasn't ready to say goodbye," Nick said quietly.

Julie rubbed his back comfortingly. "I wish you had more time, Nick. I really do. I saw how happy getting to know your father made you."

"It did," Nick said. He wiped at his eyes with his hand. "I have to tell Chiaki..."

"I can tell her if you want me to," Julie said.

Nick shook his head. "I can do it."

"What about the girls?" Julie asked softly.

"We can tell them together," Nick replied.

"Katie's going to be upset," Julie said. "Ash will handle it okay."

Nick nodded. "I know you don't understand, Jules. But, for the first time, I felt like I had a father."

Julie hugged her husband to her. "You know how I've felt all my life then."

"I can't believe he's gone," Nick whispered.

"Sir?" a mediwitch poked her head in the room. "I'm very sorry, but we need to move Mr. Malfoy downstairs..."

Nick nodded. He walked over to his father's bed. "I love you, Dad."

Julie's heart broke and she bit her lower lip to keep her own tears at bay. She had never liked Draco Malfoy, but his behaviour in the past few months had been therapeutic for Nick and she knew her husband had finally laid some demons to rest because of this.

Nick gave his father's hand another squeeze before nodding at the mediwitch.

Julie took her husband's hand in hers as she led him out of the room. "How are you doing?"

"Okay," Nick replied. "Because you're here with me."

"I wouldn’t be anywhere else," Julie said, resting her forehead on his.

The feelings from that day were still with Nick even now---three years later.

"Hey," Julie came into the kitchen with Sophie trailing behind her on the lead.

Nick turned. "Hey."

"What's up?" she asked.

Nick shrugged. "Nothing."

"Nicholas," Julie gave him a look. "I know you're upset about something..."

Nick let out a laugh. "You think you know me that well, eh?"

"Of course I do," Julie said. "And I know what time of year it is."

Nick nodded. "I was just sitting here thinking about that last day with him."

"It was just a few weeks from now, wasn't it?" Julie asked. "Just before the girls got out of school."

"Yeah," Nick replied.

"Are you all right?" Julie asked. "Do you want me to do anything for you?"

"I'm fine," Nick told her.

"No you aren't," she said perceptively.

"I miss him," Nick admitted.

"I miss him too, for your sake," Julie told him as Sophie ran to her water bowl.

Nick squeezed her hand. "Thanks, Jules."

"Have you heard from your mother?" Julie asked him.

Nick shook his head. In the days following his father's death, his mother had done everything she could to weasel her way back into his good graces. She had played the grieving wife to the press, but Nick did not buy her act at all.

"Good," Julie said. "She just makes you upset."

Nick nodded. "I just want to concentrate on the people that matter to me."

"Good idea," Julie replied.

Nick gave her a kiss. "I love you, Julie."

"Love you too," Julie smiled at him.

Nick smiled. "I already feel a little better."

"That's my job," Julie gave him another kiss.

"My rock," Nick said hugging her tightly.

Julie smiled. "Long as I don't weigh as much as a rock..."

Nick laughed. "No, of course not."

"Good answer," Julie said as he lifted her up. Nick was so grateful for his wife. She really had been a rock to him, standing by him during his darkest times. If his father had taught him anything, it was to never take those you loved for granted. You never knew how much time you had. For that, Nick was extremely grateful.

337. Chapter 337 Master Character List/News

Authors' note: We had a lot of questions as to who was who, how old the characters were now, and we compiled a list to help you guys out. We may have left someone out so if you have a question, just ask.

And---We will be taking questions from you guys that we will answer in next week's chapter. No limit, and we may not answer all of them, but we'll get to as many as we can. Nothing too personal please, and don't ask for spoilers because we won't tell you what's going to happen

Originals--

All around 63-64 years of age (but don't call Harry an 'old man')

Harry/Hermione

Ron/Luna

Neville/Cho

Seamus/Lavender

Draco/Ginny

Harry/Hermione's Children

Julie--43 years old

Ethan---30 years old

Saffron---22 years old

*******************************************

Ron/Luna's children

Josh/Jon--39 years old

Drew/Darla---36 years old

Maddie---27 years old

RJ---24 years old

********************************************

Neville/Cho's Children

Chiaki---45 years old

Allison---38 years old

Frankie--34 years old

********************************************

Seamus' son

Gabriel---24 years old

*********************************************

Draco/Ginny's child

Nick Malfoy---44 years old

*********************************************

Nick/Julie's children

Ashley Beth Malfoy---18 years old

Katherine Rose "Katie" Malfoy--15 years old

*********************************************

Chiaki/Toshio's children

Mas/Sukie--9 years old

*********************************************

Josh/Lizzy's children

Casey/Noah/Aidan --- 8 years old

*********************************************

Jon/Allie's children

Caroline Weasley-14 years old

Emma Weasley--11 years old

Adam Weasley---7 years old

Olivia "Livvie" Weasley--3 years old

*********************************************

Frankie/Will's children

Hannah Emily Barron---12 years old

Nathan Barron---6 years old

Isabelle Barron---6 years old

*********************************************

Darla/Hans' son

Rafe Feinbach--4 years old

**********************************************

Drew/Brian's daughter

Chloe McGregor ----8 years old

**********************************************

Maddie/Ethan's children

Kiera Faith Potter---4 years old

Gwyn Potter---3 years old

Christian/Arielle/Erik/Natasha---8-9 months old

**********************************************

Saffron/Andrew's children

Elinore Granger Kirke--3 years old

Edward Kirke---1 year old

***********************************************

Extras:

Liam Thornhart (Darla's fiance)-37 years old

Alexa O'Leary (Saffy's best friend)-22 years old

Stephanie (Gabe's friend) 21 years old

Brittany Murray ---18 years old

Zander Murray----18 years old

Lindsey (Katie's friend in Slytherin) 15 years old

Lizzy Weasley (Josh's wife) 38 years old

Toshio Hanari--45 years old

Greta (Nick's/Saffy's/Ethan's former nanny) in her 70s

Hans Feinbach (Darla's ex-husband) 36 years old

Brian McGregor (Drew's husband) 36 years old

Mallory--Hannah's aunt---30

Will Barron---35 years old

Andrew Kirke----24 years old

338. Chapter 338 Trouble In Paradise

Authors' note: To those who celebrate it, Happy Easter! We know a lot of you are on Spring Break at the moment so we thank you for taking the time to read the chapter and let us know what you think. We posted an earlier chapter this week that lists a master character list. So, if you need a point of reference, check out Chapter 337. And, we would love to answer your questions about the story----anything you'd like to know (except for storyline spoilers!). So if you'd ever wondered if there were any couples that we thought would be together or if we ever disagree over storylines and who would end up with who---please ask away!

The library was full as all the students were in study mode for the upcoming exams. In the back of the library, Caroline sat at her favourite table with Hannah. Hannah's first year had been hard on the girl as it was the first time she'd ever been away from home for an extended period of time. Caroline and Mia had taken the girl under their wings to help her settle in and for that Hannah was extremely grateful.

"I just hope Snape won't fail me," Hannah said worriedly.

"He's not going to," Caroline reassured her. "You're going to do fine."

"I just have to remember these ingredients," Hannah said.

Caroline nodded. "Just remember Wolfsbane for that one...not acolyte."

"Okay," Hannah nodded. "Thank you."

Caroline smiled. "No problem, Hannah."

"Uh oh," Mia said softly. "Katie..."

Caroline looked up. "What?"

"Katie's coming over here," Mia said.

Caroline rolled her eyes. She moved her chair closer to Hannah's. "Let's look at this next potion..."

"Hi, girls." Katie said. "What's going on?"

"Studying," Mia replied.

"For what?" Katie forced herself to be pleasant to Mia.

"Well, I'm working on History of Magic," Mia replied. "And Caroline's helping Hannah with

Potions."

"Caroline's always a good helper," Katie said. "You should be a teacher someday."

"There are other Slytherins in here," Caroline said looking up from her book. "Aren't you

afraid they'll see you talking to us lowly Gryffindors?"

"I'm not worried what those people think," Katie waved her fellow housemates away dismissively.

Caroline did not respond. "Hannah, I'm going to go and grab a book that I think will help you."

"Thanks Caroline," Hannah said gratefully.

Caroline stood up and walked toward the stacks. To her dismay, Katie followed her.

"Is there something you need?" Caroline asked her coolly.

"Just to see how you were doing," Katie replied. "My parents said we're going to Brighton and I wanted to make sure you were going too."

"I think we are," Caroline said. "I don't know..."

"We can get our same room," Katie said.

"Maybe," Caroline replied. "I'll probably wind up sharing with Emma and Olivia, actually."

"We always share," Katie pointed out.

"My sisters need me," Caroline replied.

"Oh," Katie said. "Well, we can still have fun."

"Sure," Caroline located the book. "As long as no Slytherins are around."

Katie laughed. "Please, those people are scared of me. I can do whatever I please."

"I have to go help Hannah," Caroline brushed past her.

"Caroline," Katie said. "We've been best friends since I was two and you were a year old."

"Only when we're not here at Hogwarts though, right?" Caroline asked directly.

Katie shook her head. "No, of course not."

Caroline shook her head.

"Look, I'm sorry for how I treated you that first year," Katie said.

"Katie," Caroline rolled her eyes. "It's not about how you treated me first year. It's about how you treat me every year."

"What are you talking about?" Katie asked.

"If you don't know then I'm not going to explain it to you." Caroline replied.

"We're in different houses, Caroline," Katie told her. "I can't help that."

"And one should have nothing to do with the other," Caroline said. "I have to go help Hannah."

Katie wished she could make Caroline see how different things were. When Caroline arrived here three years ago, Katie was still trying to find her standing in Slytherin. Now, she knew that her fellow housemates feared and respected her. Even if they had a problem with her being friends with Gryffindor, they would not dare say a word about it.

But back then, she'd had to turn her back on Caroline. She knew the younger girl had counted on her help when she got there, and Katie HAD planned to help her, only once her housemates wouldn't give her a hard time over it.

That first summer, she had made it up to her friend and they had a great time in Brighton. Caroline always forgave her.

And when the second year had rolled around... she had been shunned by a few seventh years when they had seen her sitting with Caroline on the train.

Katie had joined in with them, making fun of Caroline. Caroline had overheard and things had not really been the same between them since then. Last summer, they did not have a Brighton trip, so Katie could not apologize or make it up to her best friend.

She did miss her best friend. She had Lindsey and several other girls she hung out with, but it really wasn't the same.

Caroline had been there for her when her grandfather died. She had been a wonderful shoulder to cry on and she had listened to how Katie felt. They had shared so much over the years.

"Caroline," she called out, but the other girl didn't stop.

Katie watched as Caroline sat back down with Mia and Hannah. Caroline said something to

Mia and the girl just nodded. Katie folded her arms. Stupid, interfering Mia. Why did she have to be a witch? If she had not gotten a letter, this could all be avoided. Katie bet Mia was loving this.

"Evil slag," Katie muttered, narrowing her eyes at the blonde.

"Who is?" Lindsey asked coming over to join her.

"Mia Barron," Katie said. "She's such a follower."

Lindsey nodded in agreement. "What are we going to do about it?"

"I don't know yet," Katie said. "Something..."

"We don't have much time," Lindsey said thoughtfully.

"I'll think of something," Katie said. "And we can always plot for next year..."

Lindsey smiled. "Brilliant as always."

"Of course I am," Katie tossed her hair back.

"I found those books you were wanting too," Lindsey told her.

"Good," Katie replied. "Where are they?"

"At our table," Lindsey said. "And I marked the places like you requested."

"Fine," Katie breezed across the library. "This should make studying easy. And Potions will be the hardest and Snape won't fail me."

"You'll pass with flying colours," Lindsey said loyally.

"I know I will," Katie sat down.

While the two Slytherins studied, Caroline had just finished helping Hannah with Potions. She reached into her bag and pulled out a photograph. "Hey, Hannah?" Caroline asked. "Did you know your mum was a Gryffindor, too?"

Hannah nodded. "She told me all about it."

"I'm not just talking about Aunt Frankie," Caroline said. She handed Hannah the photograph. "Right there, third on the left. Abigail Garrett."

Hannah stared open-mouthed at the photo. "Where did you find this?"

"I was doing some work to help Professor Graves," Caroline told her. "She's archiving some

old photographs of students. I came across this one and the girl looked so much like you.

Professor Graves remembered teaching your mother."

"She does?" Hannah asked eagerly. "What was she like?"

"Professor Graves said she was shy," Caroline told her. "But that she was a very sweet girl who was always willing to help someone. Her favourite class was Herbology, just like it's yours."

Hannah smiled at the picture. "Can I keep this?"

Caroline nodded. "Of course and Professor Graves said she would be happy to talk to you about your mother anytime."

Hannah grinned. "I'll go talk to her before we leave school."

Caroline grinned back at her. "Professor Graves said she'd also fill you in on how much trouble Aunt Frankie got herself into."

Hannah giggled. "My mummy says she was just trying to have a good time."

Mia laughed. "At least you have Uncle Will as a good example."

"He says he was in a different house but he did notice her," Hannah replied. "But it wasn't until later that he went to talk to her."

"So romantic," Caroline said.

"It totally is," Mia agreed with a giggle.

Hannah smiled. "I can't wait to see them and Nate and Izzie."

"You really missed them a lot," Caroline nodded. "I was the same way when I got here."

"I'm so glad I had you both here," Hannah said.

Mia patted Hannah's shoulder. "You're our cousin, Hannah. We'd help you any way we can."

"Thanks," Hannah smiled. "It's just so nice to have someone here to show you around. I

was so scared."

"It's a little freaky at first," Caroline agreed. "But it was a big step, and you did really well."

Hannah smiled. "And in a few days, we'll be home."

"I'm looking forward to having a proper lie in," Mia said with a grin.

"I would say the same, but Adam and Olivia never let me have lie ins," Caroline said with a laugh.

"Does Em still jump on his bed?" Mia asked.

Caroline nodded. "Yes and it drives him mad."

Hannah giggled. "She says that's why she does it."

"And next year, you can show Emma around," Mia said to Hannah.

"I can't wait until she's here," Hannah nodded.

"Best friends," Caroline said softly.

Mia saw Caroline glance in Katie's direction. "Don't let her get to you," she said quietly.

"I'm not," Caroline said.

"Good," Mia smiled at her best friend.

Caroline looked over at Katie again and Katie caught her eye and gave her a wave.

Caroline gave her a slight smile but didn't wave back.

She had no idea what the summer was going to be like, but she was not going to just forgive Katie. Her best friend had to know how much it hurt to be rejected like that. It was not something that Katie could just forget.

It wasn't even just what had happened in the past few years. If Caroline went over there now she knew Katie would completely tear her down since she was sitting with Lindsey. It was all appearance and status as far as Katie was concerned.

Caroline could care less what house Katie was in or who her ancestors were.

Ashley came in and saw them all sitting off to the side. "Hey you three."

"Hi, Ashley!" Hannah said enthusiastically. "Look, what Caroline found for me!"

"Is that your birth mother?" Ashley studied the photo? "It has to be. She looks just like you."

Hannah beamed at her. "It is! She was a Gryffindor too!"

"How fitting," Ashley grinned at her.

"And she liked Herbology best, just like me," Hannah said happily.

"That's lovely," Ashley told her. "I wanted to let you lot know that we're having a little party in the common room... just a sort of goodbye for us seventh years and just to chill out from studying so hard. Are you all in?"

"Absolutely," Mia said closing her book. "I'm tired of studying."

"A party?" Katie asked from behind them. "Where is there a party?"

"In our common room," Ashley replied.

"Oh," Katie couldn't stop the slight lift of her upper lip. "Maybe we'll have one in Slytherin too."

"I wish we could get you in," Ashley said putting an arm around her sister.

Katie shrugged and moved a few steps away. "That's all right..."

Caroline gathered her books. "I'll---I'll join you guys in a minute."

"What's wrong with her?" Katie asked as Caroline hurried off. "She's been weird today."

"As if you'd know," Mia muttered.

"What was that?" Katie asked sharply.

"Nothing," Mia told her. "Come on, Hannah. Let's go."

Hannah nodded. "Are you coming, Ash?"

"I'll be there in a minute," Ashley said. "Go on ahead."

Hannah put her picture in her bag. "See you later, Katie."

Ashley turned to her sister. "Everything okay?"

"Fine, why?" Katie asked.

"Seemed like you and Mia were about to have a row," Ashley commented.

Katie rolled her eyes. "Mia's such a dreg on society."

"Katie!" Ashley admonished.

"She is," Katie replied. "She always has been."

"Why would you say something like that?" Ashley asked.

Katie sighed. "Ashley, you don't understand people like I do."

"And what am I missing here?" Ashley asked.

"Mia's a follower," Katie said. "She's jealous of me, a leader."

"I see," Ashley said, resisting the urge to roll her eyes.

"Anyway," Katie brushed away the topic of Mia. "A party sounds like a great idea. Ours will be fabulous of course."

"Of course," Ashley said. "I should get going. I'll talk to you later, Katie."

"Have fun at your little gathering," Katie said.

"You too," Ashley said.

"Oh our party will be ANYTHING but little," Katie said as she hurried towards Lindsey.

Ashley sighed and shook her head. Her sister was never going to change. Ashley stepped out of the library in time to see Zander snogging Debra in the corridor.

She felt as if she'd been punched. She had thought the two of them had broken up but apparently not.

"I'll see you later, Zander," Debra said when they broke apart. "Enjoy your party."

"Wish I could sneak you in there," Zander commented.

Debra giggled. "You can tell me all about it tomorrow."

"Or I can tell you about it later tonight," Zander said pulling her back to him.

Ashley rolled her eyes. She so did not want to witness this.

She had convinced herself that she did not fancy Zander. The flutters she had felt had all but faded away. But seeing him with Debra just made her feel jealous.

"We have company, Zanny," Debra said in a baby voice.

"Zanny?" Ashley heard herself say.

Zander's cheeks reddened. "Ash--I didn't see you there."

"I just came out of the library," Ashley said. "I was heading for the dormitory."

"I'll go with you," Zander said.

"That's all right," Ashley said quickly.

Zander shook his head. "It's fine. Deb was leaving anyway."

"I'll see you later," Debra said meaningfully.

Ashley was already walking toward the staircase.

"Hey," Zander said. "Wait up, Ash!"

Ashley quickened her step.

"Ash," Zander caught up with her. "What's the matter?

"Nothing," Ashley replied briskly. "Zanny."

"I hate when she calls me that," Zander said.

"I thought you were breaking up," Ashley commented.

"We did," Zander shrugged. "She came up to me the other day and we got back together.

"Oh," Ashley replied quietly.

"I know you don't like her--" Zander began.

Ashley stopped walking and looked at him. "Why would you say that?"

"You and Brit never really talk to her," he replied. "So I figured you don't like her."

Ashley shrugged. "Well, she's a little...off-putting. I mean, she talks in that baby voice..."

"It's kind of cute sometimes," Zander said.

"If you're a baby," Ashley said sarcastically.

Zander looked over at her. "You sound like you're jealous."

Ashley glared at him. "I'm not jealous!"

"You're acting like it," Zander pointed out.

"Jealous!" Ashley roared.

Zander looked taken aback.

"You are unbelievable," Ashley said shaking her head.

"Why am I unbelievable?" he asked her. "Bloody hell, Ash. I always listen to you talk about

Kevin to Brit and I never said a word, even when you got to the personal bits. And I'm not allowed to talk to my girlfriend?"

"Sure," Ashley said in a perfect imitation of Debra. "Talk about your itty- bitty ickle girlfriend."

"You know," Zander said. "You’re talking an awful lot like your sister. Maybe there's more Malfoy in you than I ever thought."

Ashley folded her arms. "Is that so? Well, I'd rather be a Malfoy than a little girl who leads her boyfriend around by a lead like he was a dog!"

Zander shook his head and walked away without another word.

"Jerk!" Ashley called after him.

Her excitement for the party had quickly soured. She decided to skip it and sit upstairs in her room and perhaps write a letter to Kevin.

She was hoping that the room would be empty, but Brittany was standing in front of her wardrobe going through outfits. Brittany gave her a look but then turned around.

Ashley rolled her eyes and threw her bag onto her bed.

"What's your problem?" Brittany asked.

"Why would you care?" Ashley snapped.

"I don't," Brittany shot back.

"Good," Ashley retorted. "Then don't bother me."

"I was in here first," Brittany pointed out.

"We SHARE the room," Ashley said impatiently.

"Whatever," Brittany said waving her hand dismissively.

Ashley climbed onto her bed and jerked the hangings shut so she didn't have to see Brittany or bother with her.

In the seven years she had known Brittany and Zander, the three of them had never fought like this. Ashley did not know which one she was more upset with--Brit or Zander. She angrily reached for her parchment and tried to write a letter to Kevin, but she kept seeing Zander and that---troll. He complained about her all the time---how she made him go to places he did not want to go; how her laugh sometimes got on his nerves.

She supposed she was most perplexed by why his relationship with Debra bothered her so much.

She did not begrudge him happiness.

But with her... Ashley didn't know what he saw. Especially when she knew he could do so much better.

Downstairs in the common room, the party was in full swing. Zander was still angry. Ashley had no right to say what she had about Debra.

He had thought about going back and getting her to sneak up into the tower, but dismissed

the idea. He didn't want to ruin the party for anyone else.

Besides, he was not in the mood to be around anyone at the moment.

He grabbed a bottle of butterbeer and retreated to a seat in the corner as Brittany made a grand entrance.

Brittany waved from the stairway and tossed her hair.

Zander rolled his eyes. His cousin was still practicing for her big meeting with the shady bloke from the modeling company.

He saw Caroline go over to Brittany and could hear their conversation. "Where's Ashley?" Caroline asked.

"Upstairs," Brittany waved her hand. "Sulking about something..."

"Oh, is she okay?" Caroline asked concerned.

"I wouldn't know," Brittany replied.

"Oh," Caroline said. "Well, maybe I should check on her..."

"If you want," Brittany said offhandedly.

Caroline headed in the other direction and Zander rolled her eyes when Brittany sat at the other end of the sofa from him.

He look a large swig of his butterbeer and ignored his cousin.

Evan came over and sat between them. "This is a party. Would it kill the two of you to smile

or at least act like you're having a good time?"

"I don't speak to people who try and keep me from pursuing my dreams," Brittany tossed her hair.

Zander mimicked her action. "Well, I don't talk to people who are too stupid to see a scam when it hits them in the face."

"Not this again," Evan broke between them. "I've heard enough."

Brittany folded her arms and shrugged.

"Come on," Evan told her. "Let's go grab something to drink. Where's Ash?"

"Upstairs, sulking," Brittany replied.

"Why?" Evan asked.

"I don't know," Brittany replied. She looked over at Zander. "Do you?"

Zander just shrugged in reply.

"Surprise," Brittany muttered. She grabbed Evan by the arm. "Come on then. Let's get that drink."

Evan allowed Brittany to yank him away. "It's a shame your last days at Hogwarts have to end like this."

"Like what?" Brittany asked, though she knew what he meant.

"You fighting with your best friends," he said. "Come on... you know they support you.

They're just worried."

"I'm not fighting," Brittany argued. "I'm looking to the two of them to support me, but they're too concerned about whether they're right."

"Let me play devil's advocate here," Evan said. "What if they are right? What will you do then?"

Brittany shrugged. "I haven't thought about it."

Evan sighed. "Maybe you should. I'm not saying you're right and I'm not saying they're right. But it would be sad to see your friendship end over this."

Brittany handed him a glass of butterbeer. "Well, when did you get so smart, Mister?"

"Years of experience?" Evan asked. "And hanging around you three?"

Brittany smiled at him before taking a sip of her drink.

Evan grinned at her. He couldn't help but care about Brittany. Even if her drama antics tired him, she was a girl he always liked being around.

"So how is the single life treating you?" Brittany asked, wanting to change the subject.

"Fine," he responded. "Just fine..."

Brittany smiled flirtatiously. "Oh yeah?"

"It's been awhile since you looked at me like that," he commented.

"Maybe I'm just knackered from all the studying," Brittany replied swatting playfully at him.

"I can’t wait until exams are over," Evan agreed. "Just a few more days."

"Me too," Brittany replied. "No more Snape."

He laughed. "Never again."

Brittany grinned. "No more sneaking notes to you in classes..."

"That I'll miss," he said as they leaned closer to one another.

"Is that all you'd miss?" Brittany whispered.

"Well I would miss you... but it seems I'll be seeing you again once we're out of here," Evan said huskily.

"You're awfully sure of yourself," Brittany said smiling at him.

"I do have an effect on you," he said, tugging a lock of her long hair. "And you've always had one on me."

Brittany leaned in and pressed her lips to his.

Zander groaned to himself as he saw Evan and Brittany start kissing.

Normally, he and Ashley would joke about it, but when Zander looked to his left, Ashley was not there. The last time they had fought like this had been that summer when they'd first kissed each other at Brighton.

He sighed. He really, really did not want to fight with her. And while he had always known that she and Brittany hadn't particularly cared for Debra, she had never voiced that opinion in such a way.

He saw Caroline Weasley coming downstairs and he walked over to her. "Did you--did you see Ashley?" he asked her.

"Yeah," Caroline nodded. "She's upstairs in her room."

"She okay?" Zander asked.

"She's upset about something but she wouldn't say what it was," Caroline told him.

Zander nodded. "Oh."

"Maybe she'll go talk to you," Caroline said.

"I don't think she wants to see me right now," Zander commented.

"Did you make her mad?" Caroline asked. "I guess that would explain it..."

Zander shook his head. He had made her mad, but for the life of him, he did not see what he had done wrong, other than kiss his girlfriend.

"I'm sure she'll be down in a little bit," Caroline said. "I talked her into it."

Zander nodded. "Thanks, Caroline."

He watched as the younger girl headed off to her friends and then looked over at the staircase to the girls' dormitories.

He really did not want to spend the last few days of school fighting with his best friend.

He was determined to find out what was wrong with her and was glad to see he didn't have to wait long. Ashley descended a few minutes later.

"Hey," he said quietly.

"Hi," Ashley said her voice just above a whisper.

For the first time in what felt like forever, Zander honestly had no idea what to say to her.

"Brit and Evan seem to have reunited," he finally said motioning to the other side of the room.

"That'll be what, the sixth time this year?" Ashley asked wryly.

Zander nodded. "At least."

"I guess some things never change," Ashley said quietly.

"And some things do," Zander said looking at her. He could see that her eyes were red and he wondered if she had been crying.

"I guess," Ashley shrugged. "This year isn't ending how I thought it would."

"How did you think it would end?" Zander asked.

"I don't know," she said. "Just... not like fighting with my two best friends."

"Well, I honestly don't think there's nothing else we can do on that," Zander said motioning to Brittany.

"I know," Ashley said. "But I'm sorry for going off on you earlier."

"What was that about anyway?" Zander asked.

"I don't know," she said, only telling a half truth.

"I feel like I should apologize, but I don't know what I did wrong," Zander commented.

"Nothing," Ashley said. "You didn't do anything wrong. I was just upset about something and I took it out on you."

Zander looked at her as if he did not believe her, but he nodded. "If you're sure..."

Ashley nodded. "You're the best friend I've ever had. I hate when we fight. We're no good at it."

Zander smiled. "I hate it, too."

Ashley smiled back and hugged him tightly.

"Hard to stay mad at me for very long isn't it?" Zander whispered in her ear.

"It's bloody impossible," Ashley closed her eyes for a split second.

Zander grinned. "Told you."

Ashley relished the moment of being in his arms before they pulled away.

"Come on," Zander said taking her hand. "Let's go and get something to eat."

"I am hungry," she said. "And I'll have some of that butterbeer."

Zander forgot about sneaking out of the common room to see Debra. Right now, he was happy that he and Ashley were talking.

"Can you believe just another few days and we're out of here?" Ashley asked.

Zander handed her a plate. "I know."

"I think I'm going to do that art tour," Ashley told him.

Zander looked at her. "Really? Corinne said you were thinking of going on tour with Kevin."

"I don't know," she said. "I mean, I'll be gone for a year with the art tour. I can come home for holidays and the like, but I would miss my family so much. Going on tour with Kevin would mean being gone almost as soon as school lets out."

"A whole year," Zander said quietly.

"It would be a whole year of nothing but art," Ashley said. "Museums, drawing, painting,

sculpting..."

Zander loaded up his plate. "Well, I'm happy for you, Ash. That's what you've always wanted to do. But, I'll miss you."

"I'll miss you too," Ashley told him.

Zander smiled. "You tell Kevin about this?"

"Not yet," she confessed.

"Why not?" Zander asked as they sat down.

"I'm not sure," Ashley said. "Not the right time, I suppose."

"At least you know what you want to do," Zander commented. "I still have no idea."

"You should try and sell your work," Ashley told him. "Zander, people should hear your music."

"I've thought about sending out some demos," Zander said with a shrug. "I don't know..."

"You should," Ashley urged. "Your music is some of the most incredible I've ever heard."

"My biggest fan," Zander teased.

"You bet I am," Ashley said with a grin.

"My only fan," Zander laughed.

"For now," Ashley told him. "I know people would love your music."

Zander laughed as Ashley grabbed a biscuit from his plate. "Just because you're my only fan doesn't mean you can nick my food, Miss Malfoy."

"I'll buy you a bag of biscuits when I sell my first painting," Ashley joked.

"I'm not that cheap," Zander told her.

"French biscuits?" Ashley asked.

"I suppose that would do," Zander said. "But seeing as you will sell many, many paintings, you can do better than that."

Ashley laughed. "I guess I'll just owe you."

"And you will never know when I'll collect," Zander said. "Could be today, could be

tomorrow..."

"Maybe we'll have to sneak to Hogsmeade," Ashley told him

"Ashley Malfoy's going to break some rules?" Zander asked with a grin.

"Don't tell anyone," she poked him.

"Your secret is safe with me," he told her.

Ashley smiled and looked down at the plate of food in her lap. "I thought you were going to leave to see Deb?"

"Nah," Zander replied. "I'll see her tomorrow."

Ashley looked over at him. The fact that this made her happy made her feel bad. Though she did not know Debra very well, she was obviously the person Zander wanted.

Perhaps she had missed her chance. Maybe Zander no longer harboured any feelings for her. Maybe these weren't even really true feelings for him, just something brought on by the end of their time there at school.

Whatever it was, she was going to bury these feelings and try being nicer to Debra.

To prove her point, Ashley looked over at Zander. "You should have Debra come eat with us tomorrow."

Zander raised an eyebrow. "Really?"

"Sure," Ashley nodded.

"Thanks, Ash," Zander said. "That means a lot to me."

Ashley smiled. "I know."

339. Chapter 339 Enter Josephine

Authors' note: Thank you for the questions! At the end of the chapter, you will find our answers to the readers' questions we received this past week. If you have any additional questions to ask, leave them in your review and we will answer them next week. Thank you all so much for reading!

When the news broke of RJ and Audrey's engagement, Ron and Luna decided to have all their children over that evening. It was going to be a full house, but they loved nothing more than to have their families there.

"I can't believe my baby is going to be married," Luna said. "I still see him as that little boy following Maddie around..."

Emma laughed from her perch at the stove. She was helping cook the meal and over the years had turned into a chef in training. She loved to cook just as much as she loved to eat.

"Gran, he's too big to be a baby," Emma commented, causing Ron to laugh.

"It hasn't stopped him from eating like one." Ron said, adding a few spices to the pot Emma was stirring.

"He's still my baby," Luna said. She was setting the table which she had enlarged with magic due to the size of the dinner party.

"I'm glad Audrey will finally be our aunt," Emma said. "It took him long enough to ask her."

"Well, according to him, she finally asked him," Luna said.

"But he's supposed to ask her!" Emma gasped. "It's all wrong!"

"Not necessarily," Luna said. "A girl can ask a bloke out for a date. Why can't she ask him to get married, too?"

"I never asked a boy out," Emma said. "Maybe I should try that."

Ron shook his head. "Emma, you're eleven. Too young to date."

"That's what Daddy says too," Emma replied.

"My son is a smart man," Ron said. He patted Emma's shoulder. "And you are a great cook, Miss Weasley."

Emma giggled. "It's the one thing I can concentrate on."

Luna smiled. "We appreciate you coming over here to help before everyone arrived."

"I love helping out," Emma grinned at her.

"Where's Ickle Ronniekins?" Ron heard George shout from the sitting room.

Ron groaned and looked at his wife. "You invited them?"

"They're RJ's uncles," Luna said. "And your parents couldn't make it, so at least someone

else from your family could."

"And there's free food involved!" Fred exclaimed from the doorway.

"Not for you there isn't," Ron replied. "We cancelled dinner."

George put him in a headlock and mussed his hair. "He's so cute, isn't he, Fred?"

"Just adorable," Fred replied. "Even cuter if he tries one of these--"

Luna put her hand on George's shoulder. "Let him go, Fred." Her voice was still sweet and dreamy but her expression was serious.

Ron shoved back from his brothers and glared at them. "You're in my home tonight. At least give me some respect for that."

George picked Emma up and swung her around. "And who is this young lady here? Surely not our ickle Emma."

"Uncle George!" Emma squealed, laughing.

"We're going to need to tell her all our secrets for Hogwarts," Fred said. "Sit by us tonight, Em. Your first lessons start tonight."

"You'll tell me everything?" Emma asked excitedly.

"Absolutely," Fred promised. "The quickest ways to get into the kitchens...the best places to hide..."

"I don't think Jon and Allie want her hiding out," Luna told her brothers in law. "The kitchens... well that of course is one of the best kept secrets of the Weasley family."

Emma smiled. "I have to know where to get snacks, Gran."

Luna smiled at her. "I would never want you to go hungry, love."

Emma gave her grandmother a hug. "You're still going to send me care packages like you do Caroline, right?"

"All the time," Luna promised.

Josh, Lizzy and their brood arrived next. The boys were excited to see Fred and George and latched onto them the moment they arrived. Casey shook her head. "Boys."

"What?" Aidan asked crossly.

"You're just silly," Casey said joining Emma at the stove.

"Hi Case," Emma said with a grin.

Casey's two brothers were thick as thieves and they were now in the stage where they wanted to exclude their sister.

"They're big stupidheads," Casey said, glaring over at her brothers.

Emma put her arm around her. "Don't worry, Case. You have Livvie and me."

"Thanks Em," Casey said gratefully. "I wish I had sisters like you do."

Emma grinned. "Come on. You can help me finish. Put those dinner rolls on that plate."

"Okay," Casey agreed. "They look yummy."

Josh walked over to his mother and gave her a hug. "How are you holding up, Mum? You're not losing a son, you're gaining a daughter."

"I'm all right," Luna said. "Perhaps RJ won't run off to get married like you and your brother did..."

"Liz and I just wanted to do it privately," Josh said with a shrug. "And you did have adouble wedding for Drew and Darla. And let's not forget the Mad's wedding."

"I wanted to see my boys get married too," Luna said. "But that's all right."

"Well, you'll get to do that with Junior," Josh grinned. "He's your baby."

"Yes he is," Luna said. "And you and Jonathan will behave yourselves and not give him a hard time tonight."

"It's not me you have to worry about," Josh said innocently.

"You're fine until your brother starts egging you on," Luna replied. "Don't give me that face,

Joshua. I'm your mother."

Josh held up his hand. "I'll behave."

Luna smiled. "That's my boy."

Drew, Brian and Chloe arrived next. Drew had made a cake and Chloe carefully carried it into the kitchen.

"The dessert is here," Chloe announced.

"Ooooh!" Emma squealed. "What did you make?"

"Chocolate cherry cake," Chloe carefully set it on the counter and straightened out her dress.

"I love your dress, Chloe," Casey commented.

"Thank you," Chloe smiled at her cousin. "It's new."

"Where'd you get it?" Emma asked.

"Mummy found it for me at the shops," Chloe said, pushing back her curly red hair.

Emma looked down at her tee shirt and jeans. "I just put on whatever feels comfortable."

"I like to look nice," Chloe swayed so the fabric of her dress would swish.

"You look very pretty," Casey told her. The three girls walked over to say something to

Luna just as Jon, Allie, Olivia and Adam arrived.

"Livvie!" Emma's face lit up when she saw her baby sister.

Olivia grinned and ran toward her. "Em!"

"Ooooh," Chloe squealed. "Don't wrinkle me!"

"Little Miss Prim and Proper," Fred said to Josh. "I'm thinking she should have been your kid not Drew's."

"That's really funny Uncle Fred," Josh said sarcastically

Adam, of course, made his way over to where Noah and Aidan were playing. They were like the Three Musketeers when they were together. They immediately wanted to go outside and play in the backyard. Since they were still waiting for the guests of honour to arrive, Lizzy and Allison told them it was okay.

"But," Allison said. "No going into the garden or in the mud. And you leave the gnomes

alone."

"But, Aunt Allie," Noah started to protest.

"No gnomes," Allison said firmly.

The boys walked out of the house and nearly ran into Rafe, Liam and Darla. "Come on, Rafe!" Aidan exclaimed to him. "We're going to play!"

"Okay!" Rafe said. "Can I?" he looked at his mother.

Darla nodded. "Yes, if you stay out of the mud and away from the gnomes."

"No fun," Rafe said but ran off with his cousins anyway.

Liam laughed as he held the door open for Darla. "No fun."

"Am I really no fun?" Darla asked him.

"You're very fun," Liam said with a grin. "But you know how little boys are. They're not having a good time unless they're getting dirty."

Darla laughed. "I suppose Drew and I were too proper for that. We never liked mud and degnoming."

"Your brothers probably did," Liam said.

"Of course they did," Darla said. "And Maddie liked degnoming but she refused to throw them. She'd have tea parties with them instead."

Liam laughed. "That sounds like Maddie."

Darla smiled as they went into the kitchen.

Ethan and Maddie had also just arrived and everyone was cooing over the babies. Maddie was happy to be around her family and to celebrate her baby brother's engagement.

"Can I hold Arielle?" Emma begged. "Please?"

Ethan nodded. "Sure, Em."

Emma felt she had outgrown her princess phase, but still loved her cousin's name. "Hi Arielle," she said softly.

The baby blinked up at her and Emma beamed at her.

"It's really too bad she doesn't have red hair," Emma said. "Then she would be just like a

mermaid, and someday marry a prince."

"Well, I don't have red hair," Maddie commented. "But I still married my prince."

"That's soooooo romantic," Emma replied dreamily. "Right, Chloe?"

Chloe nodded in agreement. "Very romantic."

Maddie smiled at her nieces. "I can't believe how big you're both getting. And you're both so lovely as well."

Chloe grinned. "Thanks, Aunt Maddie."

"I helped make dinner," Emma told her aunt. "I hope you like it."

Maddie smiled. "I love everything you make, Em."

Emma grinned. "I want to be a chef someday. No one knows food better than me!"

Arielle lifted a hand up to Emma's face.

Maddie laughed. "I think that means she agrees."

"When you get older I'll teach you everything I know," Emma promised her cousin.

Maddie remembered saying the same thing to her younger brother so many years ago. And now he was getting married. Her heart swelled for him. She had always liked Audrey and knew that she was perfect for her baby brother.

"Everything okay?" Ethan asked, sliding an arm around her.

Maddie leaned against him. "Yes. I'm just really glad we're here."

"Me too," Ethan kissed the side of her head. "You look fantastic tonight, you know that?"

"Thanks, Ethan," Maddie said softly.

"So little Junior's about to tie the knot," he commented.

Maddie nodded. "Yeah."

"Seems like yesterday he was just finishing school," Ethan said. "Merlin I sound old..."

"You are old," Maddie teased.

"If I'm old so are you," Ethan squeezed her side.

"I beg your pardon," Maddie said. "I am three years younger than you."

"And RJ is what, two years younger than you?" Ethan returned.

Maddie poked him. "Point taken."

Ethan gave his wife a kiss. "Things are feeling normal again, you know?"

"Finally," Maddie said, nodding.

"You've been doing great lately," Ethan said to her. "I know I've said it a million times, but I'm proud of you."

Maddie hugged him tightly. "I'm just lucky you've been so patient with me."

"I loveyou," Ethan said softly. "My life is you and our kids."

Maddie gave him a kiss. "Mine, too."

A shout interrupted their moment and the two of them looked over to see RJ and Audrey walk in. "There they are!" George hollered. "The happy couple!"

"Audrey and the Blushing Bride," Fred joked. "Junior, are you going to wear white?"

"What?" RJ asked. "Wear white?"

"Seeing as your girl had to ask you," Fred said punching him on the arm. "Seems like you'd be the one wearing the dress."

"It's not that big a deal," RJ scowled.

"Don't listen to them," Darla said to her brother.

"We're so excited for both of you," Drew hugged her brother and soon to be sister in law. "And we like your style, Aud."

Darla took Audrey's hand. "That ring is gorgeous!"

"We went and picked them out earlier today," Audrey said. "RJ has one too."

Fred and George chuckled. "Oh, really?"

"Does ickle Junior have a diamond?" Jon teased.

RJ glared at them. "Shut it."

He wore a plain silver band around his ring finger. He really hadn’t' wanted to but Audrey had insisted.

Luna put her hand over Jon's mouth. "Don't say a word, Jonathan."

"I think it's quite lovely," Maddie told her brother. "And very romantic. Don't listen to them."

"Thanks, Maddie," RJ said gratefully.

Maddie hugged him. "I'm really happy for you. Audrey's wonderful."

"She is pretty great," RJ said. "I love her more than anything."

"You'll like being married," Maddie said. "I know you've enjoyed being a bachelor--"

"Not as much as being with Aud," RJ said and Audrey beamed at him.

"You tamed the wild beast," Jon said. "Way to go, Audrey."

Olivia's eyes grew large. "A beast? Daddy!"

"Nice Jon," RJ said. "Scare your own daughter."

Jon picked up Olivia. "Daddy was only joking, love."

"Okay," Olivia said in a small voice.

Jon hugged her. "No beasts in this house. Daddy promises."

"Come here you," RJ took his niece. "Audrey and I were thinking you might like to be our flower girl."

"Really?" Olivia asked.

"Ooooh!" Emma had overheard this. "Livvie you get to be a flower girl?"

"Think so," Olivia replied smiling at her sister.

"You'd be a lovely flower girl," Audrey said. "Your uncle RJ and I would be very honoured."

Olivia grinned. "Do I get to wear a pretty dress?"

"You get to wear one of the prettiest dresses," Emma told her sister.

Audrey took Olivia from RJ and gave her a hug. "You'll be absolutely gorgeous."

Olivia grinned at her.

"Dinner's ready!" Ron announced. "Right, Em?"

"Yes!" Emma agreed. "Everyone please go sit down!"

Audrey set Olivia down and took RJ's hand. "I'm starving."

"I made dinner with Grandpa's help," Emma told them. "I hope you like it."

Ron grinned. "Em and I make a great team."

"It smells delicious, baby," Allison told her daughter as she seated Olivia next to her. "Jon, go call the boys inside, would you?"

Jon nodded and headed outside.

"Adam!" Jon called. "Noah, Aidan and Rafe! Come on in for dinner!"

There was no response and Jon called out their names again. A few moments later, the four boys sheepishly walked toward the house, mud all over their faces.

"What the bloody hell have you boys been doing?" Jon asked.

"Nothing," Adam said innocently.

"What did your mother tell you before you went outside?" Jon asked sternly.

"It was the gnomes," Aidan said, wiping at his face. "They started it."

"We told all of you to stay away from the gnomes," Jon replied. "Come on."

The boys followed Jon into the house. When Chloe saw how dirty they were, she squealed.

"Don't come near me!" she said, running to hide behind her father.

Lizzy shook her head. "Aidan and Noah Weasley! I don't even know why I bother telling you boys not to do something. Just for that, no dessert for either of you."

Casey laughed at her twin brothers.

"That goes for you too, Adam Jonathan," Allison said.

"But--" Adam protested.

"I get Adam's dessert," Emma said in a sing-song voice.

"We'll see," Allison said in her no nonsense voice.

Jon waved his wand at the four boys and within seconds, they were all clean.

"Rafe come over here," Darla said. "You sit down right now. What did I tell you before you went to play?"

"No gnomes," Rafe recited. "No mud."

"And what did you do?" Darla asked.

"Sorry, Mummy," Rafe replied.

"Sit down and eat," Darla told her son.

Audrey looked over at RJ and grinned. "Someday, we might have a little boy getting into trouble like that."

"Most likely," he agreed wryly.

"If he's your son, he'll be a little rule breaker," Audrey said.

"A good looking one at that," RJ replied.

RJ reached for her hand and squeezed it. "Are you excited about all this?"

Audrey nodded. "Are you kidding? This is all I've ever wanted."

"I have thought about this," RJ told her. "But I guess I just thought we were doing all right the way we were. I'd have proposed a long time ago if I knew--"

"It's okay," Audrey cut him off. "It happened when it was supposed to, RJ."

RJ smiled at her. "You're good for me, Aud."

"And you are perfect for me," Audrey told him, squeezing his hand.

"Come on Junior," Jon said. "We're all trying to eat here."

Audrey blushed. "Sorry, you guys."

"What does everyone think?" Emma asked anxiously.

"It's delicious," Luna reassured her granddaughter. "Our compliments to the chef."

"Very good, Em." Allison smiled at her daughter. "Adam, what do you say to your sister for making such a lovely meal?"

"I say she's not getting my cake," Adam said glaring at his older sister.

"Well you don't get to eat it," Emma replied.

"Mummy!" Adam protested.

"No dessert," Allison told him.

"Well, I don't want Em to have mine," Adam said. "I'll give it to Livvie or Casey."

"That's not up to you," Jon told his son.

Adam folded his arms.

"Eat your dinner," Jon told him.

"You two as well," Josh said to his own sons. "Don't think you two got out of this."

"Dad, it wasn't us!" Noah protested. "It was the gnomes."

"I don't care," Josh said sternly.

Aidan pulled a toad out of his pocked. He had found it in the garden. He showed it to Chloe.

"He's awesome, isn't he?"

Chloe let out a high pitched scream. "Daddy!"

Brian looked at his daughter. "What is it, Chloe?"

"It's slimy and yucky," Chloe cried. "

Lizzy put her head in her hands. "Aidan! You put that toad outside right this minute!"

"It's not going to hurt anyone," Aidan said. "I want to keep him for a pet."

"We'll talk about that later," Lizzy told him firmly. "But, please take him outside."

"You never let me do anything fun," Aidan grumbled.

"Perhaps if you listened," Josh warned him.

Aidan made a face but brought the toad outside.

Drew smiled reassuringly at her daughter. "Why don't you sit beside me, sweetheart? I'm sure your father wouldn't mind sitting beside Aidan."

Chloe eagerly escaped her chair. "Mummy, it might have jumped on me!"

"I know, baby, but it didn't," Drew said. "No harm done."

Chloe smoothed her dress down and straightened her hair.

Ron stood up. "I'd just like to take a moment to say how happy Luna and I are to have all of you here. Family is very important to the Weasleys and we are happy to welcome Audrey to our family. It takes a special person to hang around all this madness and we haven't managed to scare you off yet, Audrey."

"She should be used to us all by now," George cracked.

Ron rolled his eyes. "If she can survive you and Fred, she's a saint."

"You survived us and you aren't," Fred said cheekily.

"And there's two more that will not be getting any cake," Ron announced.

"More for us," Emma grinned devilishly.

"We're grown men," Fred told Ron. "You can't take away our cake."

"Yes I can," Ron answered.

"You're in trouble!" Casey giggled, pointing her finger at Fred and George.

"With who?" Fred made a goofy face at her.

"Grandpa," Casey giggled.

"I'm not afraid of him," Fred teased her.

"He should be," Ron said. "Right, Case?"

Casey nodded. "You're tough."

"He's a marshmallow," Fred scoffed.

"That's not nice," Emma told her great uncle.

"Emma's right," Luna said.

"This is a happy occasion," Allison said. "We're here to celebrate RJ and Audrey's engagement, not argue."

"Exactly," Maddie said. "Daddy's right. It's all about family and tonight, we officially welcome Audrey to ours."

Audrey smiled. "Thanks everyone."

"You're stuck with us now," Maddie told her.

"That's all right by me," Audrey replied.

RJ gave her a kiss. "Me, too."

"Everyone, eat." Emma urged. "So we can have dessert."

"Well, almost everyone anyway," Casey said looking at her brothers.

"Shut it, Case." Noah said.

"This keeps up and Audrey will be the only one having cake," Lizzy said.

"What did I do?" RJ asked jokingly.

"Nothing yet," Lizzy said.

"I'm being good tonight," RJ replied.

"So far," Jon said with a grin. "But you always find a way to get into trouble. I should know, I'm the same way."

"It's true," Allison nodded. "But RJ gets a free pass tonight."

RJ grinned. "Free pass. I like that."

Josh shook his head. "Junior, that doesn't mean you get to behave like the kids."

"I didn't go out and play in the mud or bother the gnomes," RJ said.

"You did when you were younger," Josh recalled.

"That was then, this is now," RJ said. "But thanks for bringing that up."

"If Uncle RJ did it--" Adam began.

"And he got into trouble for it," Luna interjected.

"I didn't get dessert for a week," RJ told his nephew.

Adam shuddered at the thought.

"You lot got off easy," RJ continued.

"Learn from his example," Darla said to Rafe. "Imagine an entire week without sweets, Rafe."

"No, Rafe shook his head.

Audrey look around the table and felt her heart swell. She already felt like this people were here family. She reached under the table and gave RJ's hand a squeeze.

"Alright?" he asked her.

Audrey nodded. "Everything's perfect."

*** *** ***

Ethan, Justin and the other Aurors entered the large conference room. Though nothing had been set in stone, word had it that Remus Lupin was going to officially step down as Head Auror. It was truly the end of an era and Ethan could not imagine this

place without Remus.

Ethan had always looked up to Remus Lupin, even as a child. The older gentleman had served as a father figure to Harry and had been a fixture in the Potter home.

"I wonder who's going to take over?" Justin asked him.

"My money's on my dad," Ethan whispered.

"I bet its Neville," Justin said. "Or Natalie Worthington."

"Natalie doesn't have as much time in as Neville or Dad," Ethan commented.

"But she's good," Justin pointed out.

Ethan nodded. "Yes, she is."

"Ah, who are we kidding?" Justin asked. "Your dad's got it in the bag."

Ethan smiled. His father had never come out and said that he wanted it, but Ethan knew his

father would be a great Head Auror. Every person in this room looked up to his father.

They took seats near the rear of the room and waited while the rest of their fellow Aurors filed in.

Just outside, Lupin stood with Harry and Neville.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" Harry asked him.

Lupin nodded. "Nymphadora has been patient enough with me. It's time."

"We'll miss you around here," Harry told him.

"He's still going to consult," Neville said with a grin. "Remember? You promised."

"You'd never let me forget," Remus said dryly.

"Never thought we'd see this day," Harry commented.

"You already said that," Remus replied. "Come on."

Harry and Neville walked into the conference room and took their seats.

"Good afternoon, everyone." Remus cleared his throat.

Every eye in the room fell on him and Remus grinned. "You all look so serious," he began.

"Are you retiring, sir?" Justin called out.

Remus nodded. "Yes, I have decided to retire. It was not an easy decision to make. I've spent many happy years here, mentoring many of you. "

"Who's going to take over," another bloke asked.

"That's a very valid question," Remus replied. "There are four capable candidates to become Head Auror and the Wizengamot will make the final decision, of course. But, I have given them a list of candidates that I feel are qualified to lead this department in the right direction."

"Who are they?" Ethan couldn't resist asking.

"Neville Longbottom," Remus replied.

"I knew it," Justin said under his breath.

"Natalie Worthington," Remus continued.

"Did I call this list or what?" Justin looked over at his friend.

"Josephine Hilson," Remus said.

"Who?" Ethan whispered.

Remus laughed. "Josephine started out here at the Ministry as an Auror, but transferred to Australia twenty years ago. She is more than capable and would be an excellent leader. I have spoken to her about moving back here and she is more than willing to accept the position."

Ethan saw his father wince at the mention of this woman and he made a mental note to ask his father about her later.

"And last but not least," Lupin continued. "Harry Potter."

"I knew it," Ethan said triumphantly.

"The final decision will be made in the next few weeks," Remus told them.

Harry and Neville looked at each other and grinned.

Remus finished his remarks and a few Aurors gathered around him. Neville and Harry stood back.

"A promotion would be great," Neville said. "Just what I need to get my mind off everything..."

Harry nodded, knowing that the pain of what had happened with Frank and Alice still lingered for Neville.

He missed them too. He'd grown so accustomed to having them around that it was still hard to believe that they were worse than they'd been before.

"You'd be a great leader, Neville," Harry said.

"So would you," Neville told him. "You always have."

"No matter what happens, we'll still be friends and we won't let this change things," Harry said.

"Sure," Neville nodded.

Ethan came over to them. "Congratulations, Dad, Uncle Neville."

"Thanks son," Harry said. "It'll be an interesting few weeks."

"Can I have a word?" Ethan asked.

"Sure," Harry replied.

Ethan led him away from the crowd. "This other person Remus was talking about---Josephine?"

Harry rolled his eyes. "There's a name I hoped to never hear about again.

"Why?" Ethan asked.

"I knew her from Hogwarts," Harry said evasively.

Ethan raised an eyebrow.

"I dated her when I was having some issues with Cho," Harry said. "Long story."

"You dated someone named Josephine?" Ethan wrinkled his nose.

"Not for very long," Harry clarified. "And she was a year older than me anyway. But, um, there was still some history here when I started and I was already with your mother at the time."

Ethan laughed. "Got yourself in a mess?"

"To put it mildly," Harry replied.

Ethan shook his head. "Way to go, Dad."

"Funny, Ethan," Harry said. "But, despite that, from all accounts, she's a great Auror."

"Then she'll be a real contender for the job," Ethan replied.

"Remus wouldn't have named her if she wasn't," Harry said.

"Or he just wants to see you squirm," Ethan couldn't resist saying.

Harry smiled wryly. "There's that, too."

"I wonder what Mum would say--" Ethan began.

Harry shook his head. "It's nothing, Ethan."

Ethan only grinned at him.

"Enjoying this, are you?" Harry asked.

"More than you know," Ethan said. "This woman must be a knockout."

"She was beautiful," Harry said. "But, she could not hold a candle to your mum."

Ethan nodded. "I'm sure she knows all about this."

"What makes you say that?" Harry asked.

Ethan grinned. "Because she's just walked into the room. See?"

Harry spun around to see his wife approaching Lupin.

"Wonder what she'll think of good, old Josie," Ethan said, clapping his father on the back.

"Ethan James," Harry said warningly.

Ethan grinned. "It's fun to watch you squirm."

Harry shook his head and muttered something under his breath.

Ethan caught his mother's eye and waved.

Hermione smiled and approached her husband and son. "I thought I'd come down for the big announcement but I was tied up with the Greek Minister."

"I'm sure it means a lot to Remus that you stopped by," Ethan said giving his mother a hug.

"He's been in the department for so long... since before I took office," Hermione said.

Ethan nodded. "Did you hear Dad's on his list of candidates to take his place?"

Hermione nodded. "He brought it up to me earlier this morning."

"Gonna put in a good word for him?" Ethan asked with a grin.

Hermione laughed. "I have to be impartial, Ethan. But of course I do think your father would be wonderful for the job."

Harry put his arm around her. "Thanks, sweetheart."

"Neville would also be good," Hermione said. "I don't know the other candidates yet. But I'll interview them soon."

Ethan looked at her. "Oh, you'll be interviewing ALL the candidates?"

"With Remus, yes," Hermione nodded. "The final decision will be up to the Wizengamot, but they'll consider our opinions on the matter as well."

Ethan grinned at his father. "That's nice, isn't it, Dad?"

"Sure," Harry replied, not taking his son's bait.

"I think I'll just go and say something to Lupin," Ethan said.

"Ethan," Hermione said. "You don't go around talking about this. Younger Aurors like yourself have no say in who takes over."

Ethan nodded. "I know, Mum."

"Good," Hermione smiled.

Harry gave his wife's hand a squeeze. "I'm glad you could make it."

"Better late than never," Hermione replied.

"A minister's work is never done," Harry said. "Isn't that what you always tell me?"

"That's very true," Hermione smiled. "I hope this Josephine Hilson arrives soon. She's really the only one I need to talk to.:

"Right," Harry said looking around the room.

"Do you know anything about her?" Hermione asked.

"Josephine?" Harry asked. "Um, no. Not really."

Hermione gave him a strange look. "Didn't she work here when you started training?"

Harry shrugged. "Who can remember back that far?"

"I can," Hermione said.

"Well, not everyone has a photographic memory like you," Harry said.

"No, they don't," Hermione said with a grin. "It's all right, I'll get to know her when she arrives."

"Great," Harry muttered.

His wife missed this as Lupin approached them. "That went well," he said.

"You always could give a great speech, Remus," Harry said shaking his hand.

"I'll miss this place," Remus said. "It's going to be strange not coming to work."

Hermione nodded. "But think of how much fun you and Tonks will have. You'll be able to travel and not worry about your assignments or staffing. You'll be able to read books you've always wanted to read, visit museums..."

"Sleep in?" Harry said, laughing.

"That too," Hermione said. "I'm actually quite envious, Remus."

"So you're not planning to step down anytime soon?" he teased.

Hermione shook her head. "I've entertained the thoughts from time to time, but there's still a lot of work to be done."

"You've been thinking of retiring?" Harry asked in surprise.

"Not seriously," Hermione replied.

"Oh..." Harry replied.

"Just sometimes I find myself sitting in my office looking at budget figures and wishing that I

was ona beach somewhere," Hermione said with a grin.

"We could do that, you know." Harry told her.

"Yeah?" Hermione asked.

"A beach?" Harry asked. "Anytime."

"We'll go someday," Hermione said smiling at him.

"Soon?" Harry asked.

Hermione nodded. "Once this budget is through, we'll see."

Harry nodded and put an arm around his wife.

"Oh, there's Josephine now," Remus said motioning toward the door. A tall, leggy blonde walked into the conference room.

"Wow," Hermione said. "Not what I expected."

"Whoa," Justin said in awe, nudging Ethan. "Look. At. Her."

"She's amazing," Ethan said, his eyes glassy.

Josephine spotted Remus Lupin and strode across the room.

"Hello, Josephine," Remus said warmly.

She gave him a hug. "Only you would get me back here after all these years."

"The power of a promotion," Remus joked.

"Well, I'm nothing if not ambitious," Josephine said. She turned her attention to Harry. "Potter.

You haven't changed a bit."

"Neither have you," Harry replied uncomfortably.

Hermione raised an eyebrow. Harry had said he did not remember this woman. "You must be Josephine Hilson. I'm Hermione Potter."

"Potter?" Josephine raised an eyebrow. "My, my..."

Hermione extended a hand. "It's a pleasure to welcome you back to the Ministry."

"Thank you," Josephine replied, shaking her hand. "I'm looking forward to seeing what's going on around here."

"You're not in charge yet, Josie," Harry told her tersely.

Josephine sent a charming smile at Harry. "Never said I was, Potter."

"How about I show you around?" Remus said to Josephine. "Help you get settled?"

"Sure," Josephine said. "It was nice meeting you, Hermione. And nice seeing you again, Harry."

Josephine linked her arm in Lupin's. Harry watched the two of them leave the room, under the watchful, curious eye of his wife.

"Josie?" Hermione asked once they'd left.

"How about some coffee?" Harry asked.

"Don't avoid the subject," Hermione crossed her arms.

"It looks like they have biscuits, too," Harry said making a move for the refreshment table.

"Harry," Hermione said sharply. "If you don't tell me what's going on, I'll just ask her."

"She was at Hogwarts with Cho, Neville, Ron and me," Harry replied.

"And?" Hermione pressed.

"She was a year ahead of us," Harry replied. "Ravenclaw."

"Did you date her?" Hermione asked.

"Dating?" Harry asked innocently. "No."

Hermione levelled a stare at him.

"It was nothing," Harry said. "I might have used her to make Cho jealous at one point."

"Harry," Hermione said disapprovingly.

"I was sixteen at the time," Harry said in his defence. "Cho and I had been fighting and Josie fancied me so I used it to my advantage. I'm not proud of it, Hermione."

"No wonder she didn't seem overly happy to see you," Hermione commented.

"You think?" Harry asked dryly.

"It'll be interesting if she's chosen to head up the department," Hermione said. "You'll be reporting to her."

"I'm aware," Harry replied.

Hermione resisted the urge to laugh at her husband. He was obviously disgruntled at that thought.

"You look like Ethan right now," Harry told her. "He was getting a kick out of this, too."

"You're so funny when you're upset," Hermione was amused.

"Am I?" Harry asked, folding his arms.

"Yes," Hermione chuckled. "You and Saffron are so alike."

"How's that?" Harry asked.

"When you're annoyed," Hermione said. "You both get this look in your eyes, and a set to your mouth."

"And we both don't like getting called on it," Harry said.

Hermione shook her head. "Merlin forbid..."

"I think I need that coffee now," Harry said.

"I'll get it for you," Hermione kissed his cheek.

"Thanks," Harry said.

Hermione smiled at him as she headed over to the table.

Harry honestly did not know what the future held, but he had a feeling that Josephine Hilson was going to shake things up while she was here. Surely she was not still holding a grudge over something that happened when they were teenagers?

*** *** ***

Answers to readers' questions:

1) Where is Lexie?

Alexa is currently living abroad and traveling for her job. She is a freelance writer for a paper and gets to go to all sorts of exotic locations. She will enter back into the fic soon, via a phone call with Saffron.

2) Is there anything you wished you'd done differently or wish you had done in the story??

Amynoelle:

There are two for me-when we started writing the story of Gabriel and we brought in his mother, Samantha. I liked her character and wished that she was still alive.

Heaven: I wish that we hadn't let the RJ/Saffron fight go on as long as it did.

Amynoelle: I agree. And the thing with Ellie---originally, she was not going to be Andrew's. A part of me wishes we

could have dealt with that, but Andrew/Saffron had already gone through so much that it seemed cruel to add that on to them.

Andrew would have loved her regardless, of course, but it would have been a completely different story if she hadn't been his biologically.

Heaven: Yes and that was more due to readers being so upset over the thought of Ellie being Daniel's.

3) Is Oliver Wood still the headmaster at Hogwarts?

Yes he is and happily married to Mimi's mother.

4) Who is your favourite couple?

Other than H/Hr of course,

Heaven: Will/ Frankie and Andrew/Saffy.

Amynoelle: Jon/Allie and Andrew/Saffy.

5) Did you two consider just keeping Gabe together with Lexie instead of breaking them up, or was that just a done deal for the both of you?

We considered it, but in the long run felt it was better for them to not be a couple.

6) Same as question 5, but with Hans/Darla.

That was a tough decision---one of us was firmly Team Liam and the other was firmly Team Hans. But we eventually came to a mutual decision that we felt would make our readers and characters happy.

7) Which character do you must relate to? And did you base any character on your own personalities?

Heaven: For me- Frankie. When we were first writing, she was the same way I am- not wanting kids or marriage. But she definitely wised up whereas I still enjoy being single ;-) There's also a bit of me in Saffron, being a daddy's girl and stubborn to a fault.

Amynoelle: It would be a mixture of Hermione, Julie and Caroline. I am a bookworm like Hermione and like Hermione, I am not the best cook, even if it is my last name. And if things had turned out differently for me, I think I would have liked to be a teacher like Julie. But personality wise, I think I'm a lot like Caroline---sensitive to a fault but loves her family.

8) No pressure, of course, but I remember you guys mentioning that you were starting up another story a few months back. Is that still happening?

We do have two stories started, but we aren't happy with the way they are going, so they are on hold at the moment while we work on something else. They will be posted once we get further or finish them.

9) One of my questions is, well its not really a question but an observation. The situation that you have created with Zander and Ashley, might create problems later. Despite being with different partners at the moment they are just too much into each other. And it SEEMS that it is only a matter of time before they get together. If that does happen and the critics will jump and say "it was so obvious" etc. If not, then you'd be blamed for what JKR did with Harry and Hermione. Any comments?

One of the questions we were asked most is about Ashley and Zander.Unfortunately we can't answer that one right now or really hint to an outcome for the two of them or a lot of people would be upset at the spoilers.

10) Another thing I wondered about was why you brought back Frank and Alice only to "kill" them again. Neville got to spend three years with them, but as readers we hardly got to see them. Also reading about their gradual deterioration and final relapse would make sad but interesting reading. Flashback?

As for Frank and Alice, that was a hard decision for the two of us. One of our favourite parts of the original book series was seeing Neville's interaction with his parents. It was never intended to be permanent, unfortunately, and you will be seeing more flashbacks with Frank, Alice and Neville as we get ideas and work them in.

11) Lastly what's up with Ginny? Any chances of seeing her sometime?

At this point in time, we have no plans to bring her in again unless we find a new way to disgrace her. You long-time readers know she is not nor will she ever be a favourite of ours.

340. Chapter 340 Andrew's Big Match

Authors' note: Tonight's chapter stars with Gabriel and his new friend, Stephanie and finishes up with a Quidditch match back in England. We hope you enjoy the chapter and if you want something new to read by us, we've started a series of ficlets titled "Affairs". It's different from what we usually do and it's not in the DD universe. We're actually following canon H/Hr. So, if you have a free moment, take a look at that series of ficlets as well! And as always, we just ask that if you read, you please review!

Stephanie was rolling some silverware up in paper napkins for the afternoon rush when she saw a familiar figure take a seat at a booth across the restaurant. She had not realized how much she had missed seeing his face until now. With a grin, she grabbed a menu and headed over to the table. "Hey stranger--"

"Hiya, Steph," Gabriel said looking up from his book.

"How have you been?" she asked.

"Busy," Gabriel replied. "How about you?"

"Same as always," Stephanie replied. "How are--" she was interrupted as she was pushed forward by another girl who took the seat across from Gabriel. The girl was quite pretty with curly blonde hair that she had pulled back into a simply ponytail.

"Sorry," the girl offered. "Didn't mean to shove you."

"It's okay," Stephanie said, hugging the menu to her chest.

"Steph," Gabriel said. "This is Melanie. She's in most of my classes and we intern together at the hospital."

"Nice to meet you," Stephanie said handing the menu to the girl.

"Thanks," Melanie said, taking the menu at the very edges. "I would like some water, with a bit of lemon in it."

"Sure," Stephanie said, nodding. "And you, Gabe?"

"My usual," Gabriel smiled at her.

"Coming right up," Stephanie smiled at him. "I'll be right back with your drinks."

Melanie pushed the menu aside. "Where on earth did you find this place?"

"One of the nurses told me about it," Gabriel replied. "And I've been hooked ever since."

"It's... cute." Melanie said looking around.

Gabriel laughed. "Wait until you taste the food, Mel."

"I hope it's good," Melanie replied. "I'm pretty hungry. That was a grueling session today."

Gabriel nodded. "It was, but you were brilliant."

"I was, wasn't I?" Melanie asked with a grin.

"And she's modest too," Gabriel said as Stephanie came over with their drinks.

"Here you go," Stephanie said. "Did you decide what you wanted yet?"

"Just to keep you on your toes," Gabriel said to Stephanie. "I'm going to try something different..."

"You?" she asked. "The creature of habit?"

"Just to shake things up," Gabriel grinned. "I would like a tuna melt with French fries."

"Wow," Stephanie laughed.

"I'll just have the turkey and cheese on rye," Melanie said handing Stephanie back the menu.

"That's a great choice," Stephanie told her. "Did you want fries, or a side of fruit?"

"Fruit," Melanie replied. "Unlike some people at this table, I know what tuna melts do to your arteries."

"And I'll enjoy every bite," Gabriel said, laughing.

Stephanie smiled at him. "I'll just go and place your orders."

"Tell your cooks to hurry," Melanie said. "We're starved."

Stephanie raised an eyebrow. Though she did not know this girl, she did not like her. She seemed quite bossy and impatient, but for some reason, she was friends with Gabe.

"Sure," she forced a smile onto her face. "It won't be long."

"Thanks," Melanie said.

At least she had some manners, Stephanie thought as she hurried to the kitchen.

She placed their orders and since the crowd was light, she took out the community college catalogue she'd received in the mail. They offered a few business courses that she was interested in taking as well as a culinary program.

She would start out small, Stephanie thought. Perhaps taking one class next semester and seeing how it would go.

She smiled as she put a mark next to the courses she wanted to take. This was the jump start she needed to get things going in her life.

Stephanie put the catalogue away and grabbed a sponge to wipe the counter. She could not resist a look in Gabriel and Melanie's direction.

They were leaning across the table towards each other, talking quietly.

Gabriel heard his phone ring and he reached into his pocket. He excused himself from the table, leaving Melanie alone. Stephanie picked up a pitcher of water and walked over to the table. "Would you like some more water?"

"Yes," Melanie said, reaching into her bag. "More ice, too."

Stephanie nodded. "Sure."

"Isn't our food ready yet?" she asked. "I told you to have them hurry it up."

"It's nearly ready," Stephanie replied.

"Good," Melanie said, waving her off.

Stephanie stood there for a moment. Who did this girl think she was?

"Yes?" Melanie looked up, clearly annoyed.

"Did you need something?"

Stephanie shook her head. "No. I'll---I'll just go and check on your order."

Melanie rolled her eyes and returned her attention to rooting through her bag.

Stephanie turned for the kitchen and nearly ran into Gabriel. "You need a best friend?" he asked her. "Because I have an annoying one you can take off my hands."

"What?" she asked, startled.

"You remember Nico?" Gabriel asked. "I'm pretty sure he tried to hit on you when I brought him in here a few weeks ago."

"I um... I think so," Stephanie said softly.

Gabriel pocketed his phone. "Everything okay?"

"Sure," Stephanie said. "I'm just going to check on your food."

Gabriel smiled. "No rush, Steph."

Stephanie smiled at him. He was so nice, and so good looking on top of that. She had never told anyone this, but she used to love them times when he would be in here studying and they would have talks. She shook her head. It was pointless to think of him like this.

Gabriel walked back to his table and saw Melanie looking through her planner.

"Got any plans this weekend?" he asked her.

"I was planning on catching up on my sleep," Melanie replied with a grin.

"Who needs sleep?" Gabriel joked.

"All work and no sleep makes Gabriel a good doctor," Melanie teased.

"You better believe it," he said.

"I might be able to fit a movie or dinner in," Melanie said flirtatiously. "If someone were to ask me..."

"Hmm..." Gabriel replied. "I wish I had some time to see a movie this weekend. I'd ask you out--"

"You would?" Melanie asked.

"If I wasn't busy, perhaps," Gabriel hid his grin.

Melanie scooted closer to him. "Yeah?"

"I have a lot of studying to do," Gabriel replied.

Melanie pouted just as Stephanie came over with their food.

"Just kidding," Gabriel said as Stephanie set their plates down. "I'd love to take you to a

movie."

"Fantastic," Melanie said. She looked over at Stephanie. "Thanks."

"You're welcome," Stephanie said quietly. "Can I get either of you anything else?"

"We're fine," Melanie said, looking disdainfully at Stephanie. Gabriel missed this as he was concentrating on his food.

Stephanie had to bite back a retort as she turned and went back into the kitchen.

Melanie looked over at Gabriel. "So, you were telling me that you haven't dated anyone serious since your last girlfriend---Alexa, was it?"

"Yeah," Gabriel said. "It's been around three years... we tried getting back together but itjust didn't work out. The distance wound up being too much for us."

"It was the same for my boyfriend and me," Melanie said before taking a bite of her sandwich.

"You mean there's some idiot out there who let you go?" Gabriel asked.

Melanie laughed. "Hard to believe. I know."

"His loss, my gain," Gabriel said. "It'll be nice to go out for a change."

Melanie grinned. "And this time, I get to pick the place."

"Sure," Gabriel agreed.

Melanie reached for one of his fries.

"Hey those are mine," he said, pulling his plate back.

"You don't want to share?" Melanie asked.

"I suppose you can have one," he relented.

"Thank you," Melanie said with a grin.

Stephanie went back to rolling up silverware and tried not to pay attention to Gabriel and

Melanie flirting in the corner.

Someone tapped her on the shoulder and Stephanie turned around startled. "Oh---hi, I didn't know you were going to stop by."

Her boyfriend Tony looked down at her. "I thought you said you were working the early shift."

"Jill called in sick," Stephanie replied.

"Why didn't you call to tell me you were staying?" he asked.

"I left you a message," Stephanie replied, seeing the angry look in his eyes. "Check your

phone."

"Hm..." Tony said. "Next time, don't just leave a voicemail."

Stephanie nodded. "Of course. How about some lunch?"

Tony smiled and she was relieved to see the angry look fade away. "You know what I like."

Stephanie kissed his cheek. "Have a seat at the counter and I'll put your order in."

Tony squeezed her behind and she pulled away and headed into the kitchen.

Melanie had witnessed this and nudged Gabriel. "Looks like your 'friend' has a boyfriend."

"What?" Gabriel asked. "Oh yeah... I think she mentioned him a few times."

Melanie was secretly happy to see this. She had worked too hard to catch Gabriel Boyd's attention to have some lowly waitress steal him away.

"So," Gabriel said. "What movie did you want to see this weekend?"

Melanie looked thoughtfully at him. "Maybe something scary so we can cuddle."

Gabriel raised an eyebrow, a bit surprised at her forwardness.

"Or maybe a comedy," Melanie said hastily.

"Whatever you like," he said.

Melanie smiled. "Perfect."

Stephanie came back out with a double-decker club sandwich. "Here you go." she said sliding it in front of Tony.

"Thanks, baby," Tony said.

"What did you want to drink today?" she asked. "I didn't want to assume--"

"Root beer," he replied.

"Right," she said, glad she hadn't poured him his usual coke.

Tony's eyes stayed on her as she made his drink.

"You look like you put on a few pounds," he said. "What are you eating these days?"

Stephanie blanched at this. "Um..."

"Salad for you," he said as he took a huge bite of his sandwich.

Stephanie only nodded as she set the glass before him. She walked over to check on Gabriel and Melanie.

"How's everything over here?" she forced a smile onto her face.

"Fine," Melanie said smiling at the other girl.

Stephanie nodded. "Just let me know if you both want anything."

"You okay, Steph?" Gabriel asked.

"Sure," she said softly. "Just fine..."

Gabriel had a feeling she was lying, but didn't feel it was his place to press the issue.

"Just give me a holler if you want anything else," Stephanie told them.

Gabriel watched her go.

"So," Melanie said. "Are you heading back to the hospital today?"

Gabriel shook his head. "No. I'm heading home after this."

"Oh," Melanie nodded. "Yeah... I probably should go home too. Get some rest... maybe study later."

They finished their lunch and Melanie reluctantly grabbed her bag.

"I'll drive you home," Gabriel offered.

While Melanie would have loved that, she also knew that she did not want to appear too easy.

"That's nice of you to offer, Gabe, but I'll be fine. My apartment's in walking distance."

Gabriel waved her protest away. "I want to, Mel."

Melanie smiled. "Well, if you insist."

Gabriel smiled. "Great."

"I just need to visit the little girls' room before we go," Melanie said.

"All right," Gabriel said. "I'll settle up our bill.

Melanie headed for the bathroom and Gabriel stood up and approached the counter where

Stephanie was talking to her boyfriend.

"Hey Steph?" he asked. "Can I get the bill for Mel's and my lunch?"

Stephanie nodded and reached into her apron pocket for her order pad.

Tony turned and fixed Gabriel with a stare.

Gabriel smiled warmly at him. "Hello."

Tony jerked his head in a silent greeting.

Stephanie handed Gabriel the ticket. "Here you are."

Gabriel took some money out of his wallet. "Here you go. Keep the change, Steph."

Stephanie smiled. "Thanks."

"See you soon," Gabriel said as Melanie came out of the bathroom.

Stephanie nodded. "See you."

"I don't like him," Tony said once Gabriel and Melanie had left.

"He's just a customer," Stephanie said with a shrug. She did not want her boyfriend to know that she considered Gabriel a friend.

"He called you Steph," Tony pointed out.

"He's in here a lot. Works at the hospital," Stephanie said.

Tony squeezed her arm. "He better not be saying things to you."

"You're hurting me," Stephanie said hoarsely.

"You better be staying faithful," he warned her.

"Of course," Stephanie said as he released her.

"Good," he said. "I'm done."

Stephanie nodded. "I should be home around three."

"You call me this time if you're going to be late." he said.

Stephanie nodded again noticing that he did not offer to pay for his lunch.

He pushed his chair back and strode out of the restaurant without another glance at her.

Stephanie rubbed her arm where he had grabbed her. Another bruise, she thought bitterly, to add her to her collection.

She dumped Tony's plate into the sink and rooted through her apron pockets for enough to cover his meal.

She had not minded taking the extra shift because it meant not having to go home and spend time with Tony. All she seemed to do lately was set him off.

She went over and cleaned off Gabriel and Melanie's table. A guy like Gabriel would be a

really great catch.

She just hoped that Melanie knew what a great guy she had. Stephanie did not imagine that Gabriel had ever raised a hand to a girl.

"He probably never even raised his voice to a girl," she mumbled to herself.

He had always been kind to her. He always tipped more than he should and he was a great

listener. Stephanie had come to look forward to the nights when she would see him. It was stupid, she knew. She was with Tony and had no business thinking about some other man.

Yet she couldn't take her mind off him. Why he was with a girl like Melanie was just beyond her.

*****

Saffron forced a smile as she dressed Ellie in a "Tutshill Tornadoes" jumper. Today was a semi-final match for the Cup and for the first time in her professional career, Saffron would not be playing. Puddlemere had an awful season and had missed the playoffs for the first time in nearly ten years.

"Daddy's going to win!" Ellie exclaimed happily.

Saffron nodded, but did not say anything. Though she was happy for her husband, she was jealous that he was playing in the postseason and she was for all intents and purposes staying home. But, she was going to support him today from the stands with their two children. Merlin knew he had done that loads of times for her when his team was out of the running.

His career had really turned around once he had signed with Tutshill after being traded by Wimbourne.

"Go, Daddy go!" Ellie cheered. "Mummy, will he hear me out there?"

"I'm sure he will," Saffron reassured her. She patted Ellie's arm. "I'm going to get your brother ready. You go ahead and put together the toys you want to bring with you to the match, okay?"

"Okay," Ellie grinned at her.

Saffron stood up and walked across the hall to Edward's room. He was playing happily with his bear. "Time to get ready, little man."

Edward grinned at her. "Hi!"

Saffron grinned back at him. "You ready to cheer Daddy on?"

"Okay," Edward raised his little arms.

Saffron picked him up and gave him a hug. He was so much like Andrew.

"Go!" Edward said. "Go!"

"Your Daddy's been coaching you, has he?" Saffron asked.

Edward laughed as she set him on the changing table and reached for his little Tornados shirt.

"Saf?" Andrew called out from the other room. "Saf?"

"We're in here!" Saffron replied. "In the nursery!"

Andrew appeared in the doorway. "I think I left my broomstick kit at the stadium. Do you mind if I use yours?"

"Sure," Saffron replied. "It's in the closet."

Andrew grinned when he saw what shirt his son was wearing. "Looking good, Ed."

"Hi!" Edward greeted his father.

Saffron smiled. "He's excited. They both are."

"I'm excited too," Andrew said. "I've got a lot riding on this game today."

Saffron nodded. "You'll do great, Andrew. This---this has really been your season."

Andrew looked at his wife properly. "Are you all right?"

Saffron nodded. "Of course."

"I know you hate it that you're not playing today," Andrew summoned the broomstick kit.

Saffron shrugged. "Can't win them all."

"You didn't start again until halfway through the season," Andrew pointed out.

"Well, I certainly didn't play very well when I came back, did I?" Saffron asked. "At least that's what the press said."

"Saf," Andrew said. "Don't listen to them. You know the Prophet just likes to stir things up."

Saffron nodded. "I know. But, today isn't about me. It's about you. You're going to have a great match."

"With my family cheering me on?" Andrew asked. "Of course I will."

Saffron kissed his cheek. "I'll finish getting the kids ready."

"I'm just going to clean up my broom," Andrew said. "I won't be long."

"Bye!" Edward waved.

Andrew laughed. "I'm not leaving yet, buddy."

Saffron set Edward back down. "Let's pick out the toys you want to take to the match."

"Bear," Edward reached for it. "Bear."

"Of course," Saffron laughed. "We can't go anywhere without Mr. Bear."

Edward hugged it to him and laughed. "Bear!"

"Mummy," Ellie said coming into the room, lugging two bags. "I'm ready to go!"

Saffron laughed. "Elinore Kirke! You don't need all those toys!"

Ellie set the bags down. "Yes, I do!"

"I don't think so," Saffron said. "One bag."

Ellie sighed. "No fair."

Saffron was amused. "You won't even miss them."

"Gampa go, too?" Edward asked.

"Yes," Saffron nuzzled her son's soft hair. "Grandpa and Grandma are going too."

Edward grinned. "Yay!"

Ellie was grudgingly going through her toys. "I'll take this one."

Saffron smiled. "Excellent choice."

Ellie smiled back at her mother.

Saffron grinned back at her. "Come on. Let's go and see if Daddy's ready."

"Go, Daddy go!" Ellie ran out of the room, forgetting her bags.

Saffron picked up Edward. She would put aside her jealousy and support her husband today.

"Daddy!" Ellie ran into the sitting room where Andrew had just finished fixing up his broom. "You're going to win today!"

"You think so, El?" Andrew asked.

Ellie nodded eagerly.

Andrew picked her up and hugged her tightly. "Thanks, Ellie. Daddy needed to hear that."

Ellie kissed her father on the cheek. "Good luck, right?"

Andrew nodded. "Right. Thanks, sweetheart."

"Will you listen for me today?" Ellie asked him.

"I told her you'd be able to hear her over everyone," Saffron said.

"I'm sure I will," Andrew nodded.

"Me!" Edward exclaimed, trying to climb onto Andrew.

"And I'm sure I'll hear you too," Andrew lifted him onto the sofa.

Saffron pulled her hair back into a ponytail. "We're ready to go if you are, Andrew."

"Sure," Andrew said as he handed Edward back to her. "Come on, El."

Ellie clapped her hands. "Daddy's going to win!"

Saffron laughed. "You're quite the cheerleader, love."

Ellie took her father's hand as they got up and went to the fireplace.

Andrew held his broom in one hand and scooped Ellie up into his arms. He knew she liked travelling with him through the Floo.

"Hold on tight," Andrew told her.

"I know," Ellie buried her face in his chest.

Andrew took a handful of Floo Powder and said "Tutshill Pitch".

It only took a few moments for the four of them to tumble into the stadium. Andrew set his daughter down and helped to brush her off.

Ellie grinned at him. "Are you nervous?"

"Nah," Andrew said. "Not with my little girl here cheering me on."

Ellie grinned. "Don't forget to listen!"

"I won't," Andrew promised, giving her a kiss on the cheek.

Saffron stepped forward with Edward. "Someone else wants to wish you luck."

Andrew grinned at Edward's eager little face. "That's my boy."

"Win!" Edward exclaimed.

"I'll do my best," Andrew replied. "I'll wave to you when I'm out there, okay? Look for Daddy."

Saffron leaned forward and gave him a kiss. "You'll be brilliant."

He sent her a grin that never failed to make her feel a little weak kneed. "Love you, Saf."

"Love you," Saffron said grinning back at him. He gave Ellie and Edward a kiss on the cheek before disappearing into the locker rooms. Saffron took Ellie's hand. "Let's go and find our seats."

"I forgot my toys," Ellie realised in dismay.

"No, you didn't," Saffron said. "I shrunk them and put them in my pocket."

Ellie's whole face lit up and she ran a few steps ahead of her mother.

From the stands, RJ and Jon waved at Saffron. "You see Uncle RJ, El?"

"Yes!" Ellie hopped up and down eagerly. "Can I go to them?"

Saffron nodded. "Just take the steps slowly."

"Okay," Ellie said, holding onto the railing.

"Ellie Kirke," RJ said clasping his heart. "What on earth are you doing wearing that shirt? I thought you were a Puddlemere Princess?"

"Just for today," Ellie promised her uncle. "Daddy's going to win!"

Saffron laughed. "She's loyal and so are we, RJ. Supporting Andrew but wishing we were out there."

"I know, Saf." RJ said. "But it's all right."

Jon nodded. "You lot will be back in it next year."

"I hope so," Saffron said fervently.

"Where's Aud?" Ellie asked RJ.

"She'll be along later," RJ told her.

Ellie sat down beside her mother. "Lexie coming, Mummy?"

"No sweetheart," Saffron said. "Your aunt Lexie is off on assignment."

"Lexie's been gone for a long time now," RJ commented.

"She's doing so well," Saffron said proudly. "No sooner does she finish one assignment then they're giving her another."

"Well, it wouldn't hurt her to write now and then," RJ said. "If we didn't keep seeing her articles, I'd start to worry that she'd disappeared."

"I'll tell her to owl you next time I talk to her," Saffron said.

"Thanks, Saf," RJ said.

"Hi!" Edward cried out, reaching for him.

"Hiya, mate," RJ said picking him up.

"Bear," Edward showed him. "Daddy." he pointed out to the still empty field.

RJ grinned. "That so?"

"Win." Edward recited, looking at his sister.

Ellie grinned. "That's right!"

Saffron laughed as she pulled Ellie's toys out of her pocket and enlarged them to their normal size. "Here you go, El."

"Thanks, Mummy!" Ellie said happily.

Saffron sat back and looked at the pitch wistfully. Normally she'd be in the locker room, getting herself ready, looking forward to a pep talk from the coach and best of all, getting on her broom and heading up into the sky.

Today, Andrew was getting to do all those things.

She didn't begrudge her husband his place in the day's events. She was extremely proud of him for doing as well as he'd done. Andrew had not had it as easy as her and RJ had. He was finally on a winning team and had been a big part of their success. Tutshill was finally contending for the Cup.

"Are your parents coming today?" Jon asked her.

"They should be," Saffron replied. "I think they were having breakfast with Andrew's folks."

"I love having a private box like this," RJ said. "Pays to be Quidditch royalty."

Jon rolled his eyes. "You're royalty now, Junior?"

"Saf and I both are, Jon," RJ said haughtily.

"I'm a princess," Ellie said happily.

"You sure are," Jon said affectionately.

Ellie stood up and twirled around with her teddy bear. Friends and family started to arrive and before long, Adam was sitting with Edward and Emma was holding court with Olivia and Ellie. Allison sat down beside Jon. "Saffy, I saw your parents down below. They said they'd be here soon."

"Great," Saffron said. "The kids are anxious to see them."

RJ took a seat beside Saffron. "How you holding up, really?"

"I'm fine," Saffron replied. "I just miss being out there. And I suppose it's bugging me what the newspapers have been saying."

RJ waved his hand dismissively. "What do they know?"

"Long as you guys don't think I brought the team down," Saffron said.

"None of us think that," RJ reassured her. "And we'll be back next season."

"Right," Saffron nodded. "I'll be better focused when I'm back for a full season."

"And you got that little guy out of it," RJ said motioning to Edward.

"He's worth it," Saffron looked over at her son.

"Yes, he is," RJ agreed. "Someday, he'll be playing for Puddlemere."

"If he wants to," Saffron said. "Andrew and I want to give them every opportunity to do what they love."

Andrew and Saffron's parents arrived just as the teams took to the pitch. Ellie clapped and screamed for her father when he flew over their seats.

Andrew caught sight of them as he whizzed by and waved to his children.

"GO DADDY!" Ellie shouted.

"Daddy!" Edward called out.

Ellie looked over at Harry. "Grandpa, did you see?"

"I did," Harry told her.

Andy Kirke clapped proudly for his son and shared a smile with Saffron.

"He's going to do great out there today," Saffron said to her father in law.

"He is," Andy agreed.

"Did you all have a nice breakfast this morning?" she asked.

Tricia nodded. "Except when Harry and Andy tried to relive their own Quidditch playing days..."

"Oh no," Saffron shook her head. "Bored you to tears, did they?"

"Just a little," Tricia said.

"A lot," Hermione corrected.

"Very funny," Harry said to his wife.

"It was boring, Harry." Hermione pointed out. "Thank Merlin I had Tricia to talk to."

"Reliving the glory old days, eh Dad?" Saffron asked teasingly.

"They were fun," Harry nodded.

"If I have to hear you talk about that Wonky Faint thing one more time," Hermione said with a yawn.

"Wronski Feint," everyone around her chorused.

Hermione rolled her eyes. "Same thing."

"Mum you'll never get it will you?" Saffron asked with a grin.

"She can remember complex potions and thousands of history facts, but she has never been able to get that one thing straight," Harry said putting his arm around his wife.

"It's not important," Hermione said. "If it was, I'd remember it."

Saffron laughed. "Okay, Mum."

"Here we go!" RJ interrupted them as the two teams began the game.

"Go Daddy!" Ellie shouted.

Edward reached for his mother and craned his neck to see his father out on the pitch.

"There he is," Saffron said to Edward, pointing to where Andrew was hovering. "See?"

"Hi Daddy!" Edward called.

Saffron grinned and kissed the top of her son's head.

"If their keeper would just stay a little more to the centre, he wouldn't have let the Quaffle through just now," RJ said to Jon.

"He's just a little nervous," Jon said thoughtfully. "He'll be fine."

"Yeah but this is the Cup," RJ shook his head. "There's no time to be nervous. Andrew can only keep the Bludgers away so long--"

Jon nodded. "He'll be fine."

"I'm not worried about Andrew," RJ said, his eyes on the players. "But that Keeper..."

Before RJ could finish his sentence, the beater for the other team flew dangerously close to Andrew, nearly knocking him off of his broom.

"HEY!" Saffron shouted angrily. "THAT'S ILLEGAL!"

Ellie folded her arms. "Em, my Daddy nearly fell!"

"He's okay," Emma reassured her.

Ellie looked up at the sky and was relieved to see her father was safely on his broom.

Emma gave her a reassuring hug. "He's a good player, Ellie. He won't get hurt."

Ellie smiled. "Kay."

The girls resumed playing with Ellie's small tea set that refilled itself every time a cup was empty. Olivia clinked her cup with Ellie's.

"Cheers," Ellie said with a grin.

"Who'd have thought you'd see that at a Quidditch match?" Jon asked Allison with a grin.

Allison laughed. "Trust our daughters to manage a tea party at the World Cup."

"Only our girls," Jon said.

The game passed by in the next few hours with each team battling it out. The game was tied and Saffron could tell everyone was getting tired. Edward had already fallen asleep in Harry's lap.

"We could have wrapped this up by now," RJ said to Saffron. "Easily."

She wanted Andrew's team to win the Cup. "Come on, Tornadoes!"

"GO KIRKE!" RJ bellowed. "COME ON MATE!"

Edward woke up at this and started to cry. Harry patted his back. "Its okay, Edward. Look at your Daddy up there!"

"Daddy?" Edward asked, rubbing his eyes.

"Right there," Harry said.

Edward leaned back against his grandfather. "Daddy."

"Saf!" RJ nudged her. "Look! The Tutshill Seeker spotted the Snitch!"

Saffron was on her feet as her husband raced after the seeker to keep any Bludgers from pummelling him.

The Tutshill seeker reached his hand out and clasped the Snitch. The crowd went wild and Saffron hugged RJ tightly. "They did it!"

He spun her around and they both catcalled as the Seeker raised his fist in triumph.

Andrew flew over to the stands and held a hand out to Ellie. "Come here, Baby Girl."

Ellie grinned and reached for him. "Daddy you won!"

Andrew lifted her onto his broom. "Thanks to my good luck hugs from you and Edward."

Ellie giggled as Andrew flew back onto the pitch with her tightly held against him.

Saffron grinned. "He's just made her day."

"Are you sure Ellie's safe up there?" Hermione asked anxiously.

"Andrew wouldn't let her fall," Saffron reassured her mother.

"It just makes me so nervous to have her so high," Hermione said and Tricia nodded agreement.

"You said the same thing when I'd take Saffy or Ethan up there with me," Harry said. "Julie never wanted to go since she was as scared as you are."

"And we're fine," Saffron said with a grin. "No harm done."

"That's debatable," RJ joked.

Saffron smacked him in the chest.

"Ow!" RJ yelped. Andrew flew back over to the stands and Saffron took Ellie. She gave him a kiss. "I'm so proud of you, Andrew!"

He grinned at her. "Took us awhile, but we did it."

"Daddy!" Edward squirmed.

"Hey buddy," Andrew said. "It's your turn."

"Be careful!" Tricia warned him.

"I know, Mum." Andrew said, holding his son tightly in his arms as he sped off.

"That was so much fun, Mummy!" Ellie exclaimed, hugging her mother.

"I know you love it up there," Saffron kissed her cheek. "You and I will go flying this week sometime."

Ellie grinned. "Yay!"

"After party at our house," Jon said. "In an hour!"

"Come on, Em," Allison said. "We have some cooking to do!"

"YES!" Emma jumped up.

"Me too," Olivia said hastily picking up her toys. "Bye, Ellie!"

"Bye," Ellie said, watching them go.

"We'll have to do something nice for Daddy tomorrow," Saffron said to Ellie. "Maybe we can make him breakfast?"

"Okay!" Ellie brightened. "Eggs."

"His favourite," Saffron said. "We'll surprise him."

Ellie grinned conspiratorially at her mother. "A secret!"

"Exactly," Saffron said. "Just between us."

Saffron hugged her daughter and realised that moments like this made the claims about her in the newspaper feel so insignificant. She'd give up Quidditch forever for her children if they needed her.

**********************

More questions from the readers! If you have questions, please leave them in the reviews and we will respond in next week's chapter!

(1) Will Katie ever be like her Potter side of the family and will her and Caroline ever be friends like they used to be?

Katie definitely has more of her Malfoy side influencing her, but there is that Potter bit that keeps her from being a rather dark character. But Katie puts herself first, and that trait will show up quite soon. And as for her friendship with Caroline, that will be addressed in the upcoming Brighton storyline.

(2) Will Lexie have a small storyline? Will she be coming back for RJ and Audrey's wedding?

Lexie is busy with her career- but you will see her when she calls Saffron soon. She will not be back yet, but yes, you'll see her again. We aren't sure if she'll be around for RJ and Audrey's wedding or not.

(3) Out of the entire dirty dancing series which storyline was your favourite to write?

Heaven's answer: Harry and Hermione's storyline at the beginning, of course, and also Cho and Neville's back at Hillsdale. Jon and Allison, because it was so forbidden at one point, as well as Andrew and Saffron's. Will and Frankie have always been a favourite- with anything- and I really loved Saffron's whole spiral during and after the whole Gordon situation.

Amynoelle's answer: I liked anything with Jon/Allie, especially their courtship and the ordeal in the hospital when she had Emma and was in the coma. I also liked writing the first Dirty Dancing series with the Harry/Hermione stuff---writing them as they were just getting to know each other and Harry was arrogant and cocky and Hermione was stubborn and called him on it. Loved that whole dynamic between them.

(4) Will we be seeing any new babies in the near future for any of the characters?

As if there aren't enough already? Haha!

(5) What ever happened to Mallory's aunt?

Mallory's going to reappear very soon!

341. Chapter 341 A Stolen Moment

Authors' note: Thanks for the questions! Please keep the questions coming, we love answering them! And we really think you will enjoy this chapter! Please, please read and review!

It had been a few weeks since Josephine Hilson had come back to London and in Harry's opinion; it was time for her to leave again. He didn't think anyone other than Snape could carry a grudge for more than a few years, but apparently Josephine could.

In every meeting, she seemed to second-guess Harry and the decisions he had made over the years. As part of the process, each candidate had been given ten old case files and they were to discuss where the Aurors had gone wrong and how the assignment could have been successful. As luck would have it, Josephine had been given cases that Harry had been directly involved in and had basically annihilated his decision-making process.

He thought about going to Lupin to complain but knew that would only kick him out of the running for the job. He gritted his teeth and decided to hope that perhaps the Wizengamot would decide against hiring her.

To make matters worse, Ethan and the other Aurors thought she was fantastic.

"Looks can be deceiving," Harry told his son, who stared at Josephine in awe. "Some people may look great, but on the inside they're--"

"Harry?" Lupin asked, tapping Harry on the shoulder. "Might I have a quick word?"

"Of course," Harry said, following his mentor.

"Josephine is going to need an office and since you have the largest office next to mine, I was thinking you could share with her the next few days?" Lupin asked.

"What?" Harry asked in disbelief.

"Neville's already sharing with Kingsley," Lupin pointed out. "You're the only other Auror who has his own office and it's not as if you don't have the space."

Harry wanted to object and say that Josephine could use her OWN office in Australia as far as he was concerned. "All right," he agreed.

"Great," Lupin smiled. "I'll just let her know that she can move her things."

"I'll make space for her," Harry tried to keep his reluctance from showing on his face.

"Fantastic," Lupin said.

Harry trudged over to his office and waved his hand at his things. His desk moved towards the wall and the bookshelf on the left side of the room emptied into the right side.

"You're obviously still as messy as ever," Josephine said from the doorway.

Harry sucked in a breath. "You can take that side of the office," he said in as polite a tone as he could manage.

"Thanks," Josephine said smiling at him.

"You're welcome," Harry said, moving a chair by hand over to his side.

Josephine sat down and started sorting through her belongings. She saw the photographs on Harry's desk. "Can't say I ever pictured you as a grandfather."

"It happened before I knew it," Harry replied.

"Hmmmm," Josephine murmured.

"What about you?" Harry asked, trying to be cordial. "Any family?"

"I was married," Josephine replied.

"Oh?" Harry asked curiously. "Not anymore?"

"Didn't work out," Josephine replied.

Harry nodded. "Sorry to hear it."

"Well, I'm used to having my heart broken," she said pointedly.

"Josie," Harry said. "We were sixteen."

Josephine rolled her eyes. "You know, not everything is about you, Potter."

"Okay," Harry said, rolling his eyes. "Then why can't you be civil to me?"

"I'm civil to you," Josephine said. "I think it's you that has a problem when someone deigns to criticize you."

"I do not," Harry denied. "But I will argue my side."

"You've never been able to take it when someone questions you," Josephine said with a laugh.

"How would you know?" Harry asked. "You haven't been back long, and you haven't bothered to talk to me much since you got here."

"Well, now that we're sharing an office perhaps that will change," Josephine said sweetly.

"Perhaps," Harry resolved to keep his guard up around her. It seemed she'd do anything to discredit him.

The room was silent for a few minutes as Harry tried to concentrate on some case notes and Josephine busied herself getting settled. "Surprising that you and Cho didn't end up together, really," Josephine finally said.

"She's my best friend," Harry replied.

Josephine nodded. "I remember walking in on you and your best friend 'making up' as I recall."

"That was a long time ago," Harry said. "And I'm sorry I hurt you. But it's time to move on."

Josephine glared at him. "Again, I was only making a statement that you of course took to mean that I've spent the last few years pining over you."

"I didn't say that at all," Harry said. "You brought it up."

Josephine opened her mouth to say something when a knock at the door interrupted them. Harry was relieved to see his wife. "Hi," he said, jumping up.

"I was wondering if you might want to grab a bite to eat." Hermione asked.

"Sure," Harry said, grabbing his cloak. "It'll be nice to get out of here for a bit."

Josephine smiled at Hermione. "Hello, Minister."

"Afternoon," Hermione replied pleasantly. "Settling in?"

Josephine nodded. "Everyone's been very welcoming."

"I'm glad to hear that," Hermione nodded.

Harry reached for his wife's hand. "Ready?"

"Sure," Hermione said. "Josephine, let’s set up a meeting soon. I'd like to go over your qualifications."

"I look forward to it," Josephine said with a pointed look at Harry.

"Great," Hermione said. "See you soon, then."

Harry waited until they were outside. "Do you mind if we go somewhere other than the cafeteria? I need to get out of here."

"Of course," Hermione squeezed his hand. "Are you all right?"

Harry nodded. "Yes."

Hermione gave her husband a chaste kiss on the cheek. "I know just the place."

"Let's get out of here," Harry said.

They left the Ministry building and headed out into Muggle London to a small pub where they tucked themselves into a cosy booth near the back.

"How do you always know just the right thing to do?" Harry asked her

Hermione smiled. "I know you better than anyone else, Harry."

Harry reached across the table and squeezed her hand. "Yes, you do."

"Things were a little tense in there when I walked in," Hermione commented.

"Yeah," Harry agreed. He told her about Lupin's idea to have her share an office with him.

"I'm sure it won't last long," Hermione reassured him.

"Let's hope not," Harry said, shaking his head. "And of course, all the others think she's brilliant. Ethan and Justin hang on her every word."

"Harry are you sure that you aren't just jealous?" Hermione asked gently. "This woman who you have a past with has just come in and stolen your thunder."

"Jealous?" Harry scoffed.

Hermione looked at him, her eyebrow raised.

"I don't get jealous," Harry said. "Look, do you know what you want? I'll go and place our order."

"Harry--" Hermione began but he got up and stalked to the bar.

Hermione sighed. She loved her husband, but he hated being called on things that he did not like to admit about himself.

She waited at the table, knowing that he needed to calm himself down for a few minutes.

He came back a few moments later with their drinks.

"Thank you," Hermione said. "Come on and sit back down."

Harry sat down, but did not look at her.

"Harry," Hermione leaned towards him. "Don't get angry with me, all right?"

"It's not you," Harry said quietly.

"So talk to me," Hermione said. "You can tell me anything."

Harry shrugged. "It's nothing I can't handle."

"Oh, here we go," Hermione shook her head. "You're going to sit and stew over this until you blow up."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Harry asked her.

"You tend to keep things bottled up," Hermione said. "You're angry with Josephine, and probably Lupin as well. But you won't talk about it."

"You don't know everything, Hermione," Harry said angrily.

"You're right," Hermione said calmly. "But Harry... I know you. And I know you need to talk about this."

Harry sighed.

Hermione reached over for his hand. "Harry please..."

"She's getting under my skin is all," Harry finally said.

"Because you used to date?" Hermione asked. "And it didn't work out?"

"Who knows," Harry said shaking his head. "She keeps making these comments and when I try and apologise she says I'm making it all about me."

"I'm sure she's just adjusting," Hermione said. "Come on Harry... you were a rookie once too."

"That's exactly what Lupin would say which is why I haven't said anything to anyone," Harry told her.

Hermione wove their fingers together. "Want me to mention anything when she comes to me for an interview?"

Harry shook his head. "I don't need you to fight my battles."

"I'm not going to fight a battle for you," Hermione pointed out. "Just remind her that things need to stay professional."

"And she'd know that came from me," Harry said. "Just---just stay out of it, Hermione."

"Is that an order?" Hermione asked sharply.

"No," Harry replied. "Of course---" His words trailed off as the barmaid brought over their food.

"Thank you," Hermione said as a club sandwich was deposited in front of her and shepherd's pie was set down in front of Harry.

"Can I get you anything else?" the girl asked.

"No thanks," Harry said.

The girl left them alone and Hermione looked at her husband. "So, what were you going to say?"

"Nothing," Harry muttered.

Hermione sighed.

"I just wish Josephine hadn't come back," Harry said. "She's going to mess things up for me."

"Harry, you don't know that," Hermione said. "Lupin knows you and so does every member of the Wizengamot. Nothing she can do will change their view of you."

"Just keep it in mind when you talk to her," Harry said. "She's worse with a grudge than Snape.

"What happened between you was years ago," Hermione said thoughtfully.

"That's exactly what I told her," Harry said. "And she... twists my words. I don't know how to talk around her because she makes me look like the bad guy."

"I don't understand when people do things like that," Hermione said. "Look, you might not want to talk about it with me, but I hope you know that no matter what I'm on your side."

Harry finally smiled at her. "I know. Thanks, Hermione."

"Oh, I got you to smile," Hermione said with a grin.

"You usually do," Harry said.

Hermione reached across the table for his hand. "I love you, you goof."

"Love you too," Harry said, feeling better. "Don't know what I'd do without you."

"You'd be married to Josephine," Hermione joked.

Harry shook his head vehemently.

Hermione laughed. "Sorry...bad joke."

Harry pushed his plate over to her. "Want a bite?"

Hermione nodded. "Of course."

"Want me to cook tonight?" he asked. "I may not be home until a little later but..."

"I'd love that," Hermione said.

"I'll surprise you," Harry told her.

Hermione looked impishly at him. "So, when do you have to be back?"

"Not for another forty minutes," Harry glanced at his watch.

"Forty minutes, eh?" Hermione said, tracing her finger along the rim of her glass. "Hmm...."

Harry raised an eyebrow.

"You know," Hermione said. "There are loads of things you can do in forty minutes."

"Yes there is," Harry nodded.

"Whatever could WE do, do you think?" Hermione asked grinning at him.

"I know of an empty office back at the Ministry," Harry said. "It happens to belong to the Minister."

"Hmmm," Hermione said. "As I recall it has a very comfortable sofa..."

"And we can lock the door," Harry said as they quickly finished their meals. "No one can get in..."

"What are we waiting for?" Hermione asked standing up.

Harry was glad he'd paid at the bar already so they could make a hasty exit. They practically ran back to the Ministry building, laughing and feeling younger than they had in awhile.

They had just stepped over the threshold into Hermione's office when they heard someone clear their throat. The smile fell from Harry's face as he saw Josephine sitting on the sofa. "Good afternoon, Minister," Josephine said. "Potter."

"Josie," Harry said, feeling his shoulders tense back up.

"Your assistant said I could wait for you in here," Josephine said to Hermione. "I hope you don't mind."

"Um..." Hermione said. "I suppose that's fine. I wasn't quite prepared for a meeting so soon but we can still talk."

Josephine smiled. "I'm sure it will be quite enlightening."

"Yes," Hermione nodded. "Harry, I'll see you later at home?"

Harry nodded. "We'll pick up where we left off."

Josephine raised her eyebrows at this but didn't say anything.

Hermione gave his hand a squeeze. "Bye."

Harry didn't say anything to Josephine or look at her as he left his wife's office. He was pissed that once again she'd managed to ruin something.

No matter what Josephine said, he knew she was holding a grudge and he knew she would do anything to make him look bad.

*** *** ***

Although Slytherin lost the House Cup to Gryffindor yet again, Katie was still ecstatic at the end of year feast. No more studying for the next few weeks and in a matter of days, she'd be sitting on a beach soaking up the sun.

"He. Is. So. Hot," Lindsey commented, nudging Katie. She held out the latest "Witch Weekly". The magazine had done a complete issue dedicated to Kevin and his tour. "Ashley is so lucky."

"Oh I know," Katie said. "I hope he'll come to the beach, at least stop there. Seeing him in a swim costume..."

Lindsey waved herself with the magazine. "Mmm..."

"I might die right there on the beach," Katie giggled.

Lindsey gushed again about how lucky Ashley was to have him for a boyfriend and Katie looked across the room toward the Gryffindor table. Her sister was seated beside Zander and was laughing at something he was saying.

"She doesn't even appreciate him," Katie said. "I mean, look at her. She's all over Zander."

Lindsey followed Katie's gaze. "She's not really ALL over him, Katie..."

"She may as well be," Katie replied. "I should do something about them."

"Uh-oh," Lindsey said. "I smell a plot."

Katie shrugged. She had never admitted her crush on Kevin to anyone. She played the part of the admiring sister instead.

"Good luck with that," Lindsey said. "I have to go and pack."

Katie wasn't worried about packing her things. She figured she could stay up late and do that then sleep on the train if she was tired.

She looked up at the faculty table and saw her mother speaking to Caroline. Perfect, Katie thought to herself.

She waited until most of her fellow Slytherins had left before approaching the brunette. Caroline would be perfect to help her get Ashley and Zander together.

Katie sat down at the Gryffindor table and looked at Mia. "Do you mind?"

"I think you're at the wrong table," Mia said.

Katie glared at her. "I know where I'm at and I'd like to talk to Caroline. So, you can leave now."

"Katie!" Caroline exclaimed.

"You're unbelievable," Mia said shaking her head.

"If you have something to say to me you can say it in front of Mia," Caroline said. "I don't keep things from her."

"It's private," Katie said, looking at Caroline pleadingly. "Just give me two minutes, Caroline."

"I have to pack," Caroline said.

"Two minutes," Katie said grinning at her. "I wanted to ask you about something having to do with my mum."

"Oh," Caroline said. "All right, I suppose."

Mia rolled her eyes. "I'm going upstairs.”

"I'll be there in a few minutes," Caroline promised.

Katie waited until Mia was out of earshot. "Thank you, Caroline."

"What is it?" Caroline asked without preamble.

"Look over there," Katie said motioning to where Ashley and Zander were still laughing and talking.

"What of it?" Caroline asked. "I thought you wanted to ask me about your mum."

Katie bit her lip. "Well..."

Caroline stared at her impatiently. "Katie I've got to go--"

Katie put her hand out. "Wait...just hear me out, Caroline."

"What?" Caroline asked.

"Well," Katie said. "You like Ashley, right?"

"Of course I do," Caroline sighed.

"You remember a few weeks ago when Ashley had wizard's flu and she was stuck in hospital?" Katie asked. "Zander spent every free second with her. He snuck in to keep her company. I mean, even when she was completely out of it, he was in there, by her side."

"He's her best friend," Caroline said. "So what?"

"It's more than that," Katie said. "And I think that tonight's the perfect night to get them together."

Caroline stared at her in disbelief. "Are you kidding me?"

"What?" Katie asked.

"Ashley's with Kevin," Caroline pointed out. "And Zander seems perfectly happy with Debra."

"If that were true, he'd be sitting with her, wouldn't he?" Katie asked.

"They're in different houses," Caroline said. "And it's the last night of school for them. I'm sure they're meeting up later."

"Caroline," Katie said. "Come on. Help me get them together. I know it's the best thing for Ashley."

"No," Caroline shook her head. "I'm not having any part of this."

"Why not?" Katie asked. "Oh for Merlin's sake, you aren't still holding a grudge are you?"

"What are you talking about?" Caroline asked.

"Over your first year?" Katie asked.

Caroline shook her head and grabbed her bag. "I don't know what you're scheming, but I don't want any part in it."

Katie shook her head. Why would Caroline not help her? This was a completely selfless thing that she was doing. Well, not completely selfless, Katie thought, but semi-selfless and it really was for the greater good.

"See you later," Caroline said shortly.

Katie watched her go. Caroline would come around this summer. But, for now, Katie would have to do this on her own. At the other end of the Gryffindor table, Zander and Ashley were getting ready to leave. Brittany was still not talking to them and had apparently decided to spend her last night at Hogwarts snogging with Evan somewhere.

"Hmm..." Katie said, not about to be deterred. Without Caroline's help this would be more difficult but Katie enjoyed a challenge.

Ashley caught her sister staring at her. "Katie? What are you doing sitting at the Gryffindor table?"

"Nothing," Katie jumped up like she'd been burned.

"She wanted to hang out with the cool kids," Zander said with a grin.

Katie rolled her eyes. "Yeah right."

Ashley folded her arms. "Have you packed? What am I thinking? Of course, you haven't."

"I'm not worried about it," Katie shrugged.

Ashley shook her head. "I'm going to finish packing and maybe do some last sketches of the castle before I turn in for the night."

"It's our last night here," Zander said. "You aren't going to sleep."

Katie rolled her eyes as Debra came over to join them. Debra threw her arms around Zander and hugged him tightly. "Hey, you!"

"Hey Deb," Zander grinned at her.

"Hi, Debra," Ashley said politely.

"Hi," Debra said, surprised. "Um... how's it going?"

"Great," Ashley said.

"Can't believe it's our last night," Debra said. "Zanny... you promised me we'd sneak away for awhile."

"Zanny?" Katie asked, not realising she had said it aloud.

Debra cast her a look. "Aren't you a Slytherin?"

"Yes," Katie said sweetly. "And you have lettuce stuck in your teeth."

Debra gasped and turned away, making Katie laugh.

A smile played on Ashley's lips at her sister's words but she remembered her promise to give Debra a chance. "Um, I should go upstairs and pack."

"I'll see you later," Zander said.

"Good night," Ashley said. "Are you coming Katie?"

"I guess," Katie said.

Ashley walked out of the Great Hall and Katie reluctantly followed. Ideas whirled in her head about what she could do. She had to get Zander away from Debra, for one thing.

A note... the thought made Katie's eyes light up. She would send her sister and Zander notes from each other to meet somewhere private.

"You know," Katie said to Ashley. "You're right. I should start packing."

"Good idea," Ashley said. "You don't want to leave anything here."

Katie nodded. "You're absolutely right. I'll see you tomorrow morning, Ash."

"Have a good night," Ashley said to her sister.

Katie watched her sister go and knew more than ever what she was going to do was the right thing. Katie headed back to the Great Hall and peeked inside. As luck would have it, Debra and Zander were just leaving. Katie quickly hid behind a pillar.

"So," Debra was giggling. "What are we going to do tonight?"

Zander shrugged. "I don't know. I think some of my housemates were having a party in the common room. I should stop in, but afterwards we could do something just the two of us."

"That's what I was hoping for," Debra purred. Katie rolled her eyes and resisted the urge to gag. She had never been a huge fan of Zander's, but he could definitely do better than this girl.

"Where do you want to meet?" Zander asked her.

"How about in Snape's dungeon?" Debra asked.

Zander shook his head. "Not exactly a very romantic location, Deb. Besides, if he caught us..."

"What’s he going to do?" Debra asked, laughing again. "It's our last night."

"I'd rather not take the chance," Zander said. "Um...how about Binns' classroom? It's on the opposite end of the castle and no one will be anywhere near it."

"I guess," Debra pouted. "I want to be a little more adventurous but..."

Katie rolled her eyes again.

"Binn's classroom is perfect," Zander told her. "We won't be bothered..."

Debra smiled. "I like the sound of that."

Zander gave her a kiss. "Meet you up there at eight?"

"I'll be there," Debra promised.

"See you in a bit," he grinned at her before loping off towards Gryffindor.

Katie grinned. Well, part one of her plan was already in place and she did not have to do anything.

"This is perfect," she said, reaching into her bag for a spare bit of parchment. She quickly scrawled out a note to her sister in what she hoped looked like a bloke's writing.

She spotted a first-year Gryffindor. "Hey!" Katie called out. "Come here!"

The little girl looked scared.

"Take this," Katie said, handing the parchment to the girl. "And leave it in your common room. Be discreet."

"It's... its not--" the girl began.

"Do it," Katie ordered.

"Okay," she said meekly, taking the parchment.

"And if anyone asks, you don't know where it came from," Katie said. "Got it?"

"Okay," the girl whispered before running away.

Katie smiled. Step Two was taken care of and now she had to find someway to keep Debra out of the way.

Ashley headed upstairs and felt tears well up in her eyes. This was the last night she would ever sleep in the castle. It had become home to her in the past seven years. She'd met her best friends here and really discovered a lot about herself as a person here.

The room was empty as she walked inside. Corinne was downstairs celebrating with some other students and Brittany was nowhere to be found. Ashley did not mind. It was nice to be alone with her thoughts.

She gathered her things and packed them away neatly in her trunk. She left her sketchbooks and pencils out. Kevin was in Stockholm at the moment on his tour and she had received a letter earlier that day from him. He had congratulated her on graduating and that he missed her.

He had promised to clear a few days to spend in Brighton with her once they got there and she was looking forward to that. She would tell him about her plans and she hoped he would be okay with it.

Just the thought of a year travelling and studying art excited her. She would miss her home and her friends and family but the year would pass quickly.

"It's absolutely nuts downstairs," Corinne's voice broke into Ashley's thoughts. She had not even heard her roommate come inside.

"What's going on?" Ashley asked.

"Party," Corinne said, smiling at her. She handed Ashley an envelope. "This was downstairs. Had your name on it."

"Oh," Ashley said, looking at the envelope.

Corinne smiled. "Come on down after you finish packing!"

"I'm almost done," Ashley told her. "Be down in a few minutes."

After Corrine had gone, Ashley sat down on the bed with her letter.

She tore it open. "Surprise," she read. "Meet me in Binn's classroom at eight."

The note was not signed.

She wondered if Kevin perhaps found a way to sneak in. It would be like him to surprise her. Ashley smiled. She could finish packing later. She hurried downstairs and sneaked out the portrait door without anyone noticing

Binn's classroom was dark and Ashley pulled out her wand. "Lumos," she whispered.

Her wand lit up the room dimly but she didn't see anyone. "Kevin?" she whispered.

There was no response and Ashley sat down at one of the desks.

This was odd. Why would Kevin send her a message but not be here?

The door creaked open and Ashley turned. "Kevin?"

"Hello?" a male voice asked.

Ashley forgot about her wand and stood up. "Hi," she whispered.

"How'd you get here so fast?" the male voice asked.

Ashley felt her way through the darkness toward his voice. "I couldn't wait," she said softly.

Ashley bumped into him and giggled. She felt his arms wrap around her.

"Last night," he whispered in her ear. "We should make it count."

Ashley felt his lips brush against hers.

The kiss felt familiar but Ashley realised it wasn't Kevin's mouth on hers.

"Ashley?" Zander asked breathlessly pulling away from her for a moment.

"Zander!" Ashley gasped, pulling away from him.

"I thought you were someone else," Zander said hastily.

"I thought you were Kevin," Ashley covered her face with her hands. "This is so embarrassing!"

Zander shook his head. "No--it was a mistake. That's all." He reached a hand out to put on her shoulder, but thought better of it and pulled away. Ashley made a move for the door and tried the handle, but it would not open. "Accio, wand!" Ashley hurried back to the desk where her wand was, aided by the light from Zander's wand. She picked it up and avoided looking at him as she pointed her wand at the door. "Alohomora!" To her disbelief, the door still did not open.

"What's going on?" she tried the handle and tugged on the door.

Zander tried the same spell, but achieved the same result. "We're stuck."

"What did you do?" Ashley accused.

"Me?" Zander asked taken aback.

"I can't believe I just kissed you," Ashley wailed.

Zander folded his arms. "You don't have to act like it was a fate worse than death?"

"But we're both seeing other people," Ashley said. "We cheated."

Zander sat down. "We didn't know what we were doing."

"I guess not," Ashley ran her hands through her blonde hair.

Zander was silent and Ashley took a seat beside him.

"Was I that bad?" Zander asked her.

Despite herself, Ashley laughed. "Well, we were 13 the last time it happened."

"Feels like a long time ago," he said.

"It was," Ashley said softly.

Zander got up to try the door again. "I wonder how it got locked."

"Probably someone playing a joke," Ashley said.

"Yeah but who knew we were in here?" Zander asked. "Debra and I were supposed to meet here right around now."

"Maybe she'll come soon and let us out," Ashley said hopefully.

"Maybe," Zander nodded. "She's usually late."

Ashley leaned back on her seat. "This was not how I was expecting to spend my last night here."

"Me either," Zander confessed. "It's not so bad though."

Ashley smiled. "No, it's not."

"It's going to be strange not being here anymore," he commented.

"I know," Ashley agreed. "All this week, I kept thinking about all the little things I do everyday here and how it was going to be the last."

"Yeah," Zander nodded. "But at the same time, it's going to be great to get out on our own. I can't wait to find my own place."

Ashley nodded. "I can't wait to get started on my trip."

"I'm still not sure what I want to do," Zander said. "I mean, something with my music sure... but not sure what yet."

"You'll figure it out," Ashley said. "Music is what you were made to do. You get this look on your face when you play...I get the same one on mine when I paint or draw."

Zander nodded. "I love it."

"You're amazing," Ashley said.

"You've always been my biggest fan," Zander said to her. "That's always meant a lot to me."

"It's not just because you're my best friend," Ashley told him. "You're so incredibly talented."

"At least I'll know who to owl when I need an ego boost," Zander joked.

"I'll never be more than an owl away," Ashley said softly.

"Me either," he promised.

Ashley's lower lip trembled and she felt tears welling up in her eyes.

"Ash?" Zander said, his face concerned.

"I'm just going to miss---" Ashley started to say, but the emotion of the moment got the best of her and she could not get the rest of her words out.

"Hey we'll still see each other," he put an arm around her. "All the time. And I'll be in Brighton at the same time as you and your family."

Ashley nodded, but she was so afraid that they would all grow apart especially now with Brittany not speaking to them.

"Brit will come around," Zander could read her thoughts. "You know she will eventually."

"You think so?" Ashley asked.

"Sure," Zander nodded. "She's got to miss us sooner or later."

Ashley smiled. "Well, me anyway."

Zander laughed. "Exactly." he nudged her.

Ashley hugged him tightly.

Zander ran his hand over her back through her hair. It felt nice to hold Ashley.

"My first real friend," Ashley whispered.

"I was?" he asked.

Ashley pulled away to look at him. "Yeah," she admitted, blushing.

"I think you might have told me that once," he said.

Zander used his thumb to wipe away a tear from her cheek.

"Sorry," Ashley mumbled. "I'm a bit of a sorry wretch tonight."

"It's okay," Zander said softly.

"I know we say we aren't going to grow apart but I'm scared that we will," Ashley continued.

"We won't," Zander promised her.

"Promise?" she asked.

"Promise," Zander said touching her cheek.

Ashley looked up at him and felt the butterflies return to her stomach.

Zander looked back at her and Ashley wished she could read his mind.

"We shouldn't be doing this," she whispered.

"You're right," Zander said, but he leaned in anyway.

Ashley closed her eyes as they kissed again. This time they didn't hesitate and the kiss grew deeper.

Zander's arms snaked around her waist and any thoughts Ashley had about Kevin disappeared. This felt so right.

Zander lay her back on the desk, not breaking his mouth from hers. Ashley wrapped her arms around him, pulling him close. It still did not seem like enough. She wanted more.

He ran his hand down the side over her slender body, curving his palm over her stomach. He wasn't sure if he should push any further than that, much as he wanted to.

"Ashley," he whispered before kissing her again.

"Please," she managed to say. "Please, Zander..."

Zander looked down at her. She was so beautiful like this.

"What are you thinking?" she asked, reaching up to run her fingers through his hair.

"I'm thinking that--" he was interrupted as the door swung open.

"Zander!" Debra exclaimed.

"Deb!" Zander turned bright red.

Debra turned around and ran out of the room.

"Shit," Zander cursed. "Ash... I'm sorry--"

Ashley shook her head as she sat up. "You should go after her."

Zander nodded. "I um... I'll see you later..."

Ashley put her head in her hands, unable to look at him. What had she done? She had just cheated on her boyfriend- one she cared about very much. And though she did not like Debra very much, she felt horrible for what the girl had just seen. Nobody deserved that.

She waited until she was sure Zander would be gone before slipping out of the classroom.

Katie watched from the distance, expecting to see a happy Ashley emerge from the room.

Instead, she watched as her sister quietly closed the door behind her and began trudging back in the direction of Gryffindor.

Katie shrugged this off. Right now, Ashley was probably feeling a little guilty over what had happened, but she would soon get over this and see how right this was. And, Katie thought to herself, Kevin would be all alone.

Meanwhile Zander had caught up with his girlfriend. "Deb," he said. "Wait a minute. What you saw--"

Debra shook her head. "Don't you dare tell me it wasn't what I thought it was!"

"I admit I messed up," Zander said. "But we were talking about something that happened a long time ago and then--"

"It just happened?" Debra asked, turning to face him. "Is that what you're going to tell me? I'm not blind you know! You never once looked at me the way you look at her!"

"Ashley's my best friend," Zander told her. "I haven't had feelings for her since we were thirteen."

"You could have fooled me," Debra said angrily.

"I haven't," Zander said honestly.

"What would have happened if I hadn't walked in, huh?" Debra asked.

That was something Zander had been wondering too. "I don't know. But Deb... just let me explain..."

"There's nothing to explain," Debra said quietly.

"I want to make it right," Zander insisted.

Debra laughed bitterly. "You can't make this right."

Zander sighed. "I could if you wanted to make this work."

Debra looked thoughtfully at him. "If I did, you'd have to promise never to see her again."

"What?" Zander asked in disbelief.

"You heard me," Debra said, wiping at her eyes. "End your friendship with her or we're done."

"Are you kidding me?" Zander asked. "What sort of psychotic request is that?"

Debra folded her arms and glared at him. "A perfectly logical one given what I just walked in on!"

"She is my friend," Zander said. "I don't give up on my friends."

"But you will give up on me?" Debra asked him point blank.

"No," Zander said. "I don't want to. But I would never give in to something like that."

"So, your friendship with her is more important than what we have," Debra said, shaking her head. "Well, that's just brilliant."

"You're twisting this around," Zander argued.

"I'm twisting this around?" Debra asked. "That's rich coming from you."

Zander shook his head. "I'm done."

"You're making a mistake," Debra said to him. "A big mistake."

"Really," Zander said.

"Really," Debra answered quietly.

"I think I'm making the right choice, actually." Zander said.

"Whatever," Debra said before walking away.

Zander couldn't believe she had the nerve to try and make him end his friendship with Ashley.

Ashley, Zander thought. How on earth was he going to face her after this?

He knew what they had done was wrong, but kissing her had felt amazing.

He wondered about Debra's question. What would have happened had she not walked in on them?

She had wanted them to continue, that he was certain of. Would they have gone too far?

He had always had feelings for her, but had buried those years ago.

He found himself back at the portrait door and hoped Ashley had made it back.

The Gryffindor party was still in full swing and Zander honestly did not feel like joining them.

He stayed along the perimeter of the wall and tried to sneak upstairs to the dormitory before Evan or Sam or anyone else caught him.

"What are you doing?" Brittany asked.

"What?" Zander looked over at his cousin. "You talking to me?"

"Not really," Brittany asked. "I was heading upstairs to grab a jumper."

"Oh," Zander replied. "I wouldn't want to keep you."

Brittany rolled her eyes. "Your hair's all messed up."

"It always is," Zander tried to smooth it down.

Brittany shook her head. "You must have gone outside with Ashley. She came in here awhile back with her hair all ---"

"She came back?" Zander interrupted. "Where is she?"

Brittany studied him for a moment. "Upstairs, probably..."

"Will you ask her to come down here?" he asked.

"I'm not an owl," Brittany retorted trying to move past him.

"Just do me one favour?" he asked impatiently.

"Fine," Brittany replied.

"Thank you," he turned away and rolled his eyes.

Zander waited and wondered if Brittany would do as he asked. What would he say to Ashley when he saw her?

Brittany pushed open the door to the dormitory and saw Ashley sitting in the window seat. "Zander wants you," she said bluntly, going to her trunk. "Right now, downstairs."

Ashley turned. "He's down there now?"

"Yes," Brittany grabbed her jumper. "And he wants you down there now. Otherwise I wouldn't even bother."

"Would you---would you just tell him I've gone to bed?" Ashley asked.

Brittany gave her a strange look. "What?"

"I can't talk to him," Ashley said turning back toward the window.

"Why not?" Brittany pressed.

Ashley was silent.

Brittany heaved an exaggerated sigh. "Whatever."

Ashley heard the door slam behind Brittany. She hugged her knees to her and closed her eyes. She felt Zander's arms around her and could remember the feel of his lips on hers.

Why was it that his kiss brought on the fiery feeling inside her when her own boyfriend's never quite had?

****************

This week's Q & A ...

First one is a two-part question...

(1) How comes everyone is straight? That there\'s no gay or lesbian couple? I just noticed that? You guys homophobic? (2) Why is your story so amazing? I just LOVE! I've been hooked on it since I first read it, I LOVE it!

Well to answer the first... I think that while neither of us is homophobic, it's just not an area that either one of us feels interested in exploring. We have nothing against it, but don't read it either.

In regards to the second, we think because we have related it to real life in so many ways- we have characters everyone loves, and characters everyone hates. There's something for everyone.

(3) Hey guys, I was wondering if you could put Gabe and Lexie back together soon?

Gabriel and Alexa have had their time- and while they are friends, they will not be reuniting as a couple.

(4) I'm really liking this new Gabe/Steph storyline. Now if only Gabe were to look up at the right time when Stephanie was with that horrible boyfriend of hers! I wonder if we'll get to see any more of Steph, maybe some home life? Is Stephanie going to become a regular character or will she stay further in the back and not be as important?

You will absolutely see more of Stephanie. She's in a bad situation right now, and it's a delicate situation for us to write, so we are taking things a bit slowly there.

(5) So we all know that Allie was originally supposed to end up with Josh. What other pairings could there have been, if they weren't with who they are now?

Haha! Well, Saffron was originally due to wind up with Sean, and Jon and Lizzy would have been together as well. Alexa WAS supposed to be with RJ, but we all know how that went. And the original plan was to have Alexa end up with Gabe, BUT we have interesting storylines planned for the two of them!

(6) This is going to be very traumatic for Stephanie, I just hope she will be okay- this Tony is quietly scary, one minute he's okay then the next he explodes!. Sad when Steph talked bout the bruises and very sad when Steph thought that she could have something good with Gabe, but then came this Melanie out of the blue, what a complete self centered Bitch! What does Gabe see in her????

Gabe doesn't see Melanie... she is brilliant and very pretty and he IS a guy ;-) But give us some time...

342. 342

Authors' note: Tonight's chapter finds the kids returning from Hogwarts and the beginning of the Brighton beach holiday! And---Amy is on vacation this weekend so we did not have a chance to answer interview questions, but they will be back next week! So if you asked a question in last chapter's reviews, don't worry, you'll get an answer next chapter! Please keep the questions coming!

"Mummy," Isabelle Barron tugged at Frankie's cloak. "Where's the train? I want to see Hannah!"

"I know baby," Frankie replied. "I can't wait to see her either."

Will looked at his watch. "Five minutes, Izzie."

"Daddy," Nathan said. "When do we get to go to Hogwarts?"

"You've still got a few years, mate," Will replied with a grin.

"Listen," Frankie said. "I think I hear the train in the distance."

Nathan and Isabelle stepped a few feet ahead of their parents and Frankie shared a worried look with Will.

"It's okay, Frankie." Will assured his wife. "We have nothing to worry about."

Frankie nodded. A few days ago, they had learned that David Wright had a parole hearing coming up next week. There was a small chance that he might be paroled for good behaviour. Neville had reassured his daughter that this was nearly impossible given the nature of the crime.

"I just can't believe that horrible man could be prowling the streets next week," she said as Will put an arm around her.

"Impossible," Will reassured her.

"I hope so," Frankie said. "Ooooh I do wish that train would hurry! I can't wait to see her."

"I know," Will said. Their oldest had not been home since Easter.

"I bet Hannah brings us something," Isabelle said.

"You think so?" Frankie asked tugging affectionately on Isabelle's plait.

"A present," Isabelle nodded.

"I missed her," Nathan said as they heard the whistle of the train.

"I missed her too," Isabelle said, retreating to Will's side.

Will put his arms around her. "We all did."

"Em!" Nathan pointed as he saw his cousin.

"Hi!" Emma exclaimed, waving at him.

"Em!" Isabelle ran to give her a hug. "Where's Livvie and Adam?"

"Over there," Emma motioned. Frankie turned to see her sister and Jon with their two youngest children.

"Hi Frankie," Allison smiled at her sister. "We came just in time!"

Frankie gave her a hug. "I know you're ready to see Caroline."

"So ready," Allison replied. "I miss her so much while she's gone."

"That's because she's your clone," Frankie teased.

"I like Caroline better than Emma," Adam announced.

Jon nudged his son. "Adam, that's not nice."

"I didn't do anything to you," Emma frowned at him.

"He loves you, Em," Jon reassured her.

"Only sometimes," Adam said mischievously.

"You're going to miss me when I'm gone," Emma told him.

"I get to have your room," Adam replied.

Emma turned to Allison. "Mum!"

Olivia pinched Adam's arm. "Nice to Em!"

"Ow!" Adam yelped. "Mummy!"

"All of you behave," Allison said as Jon picked up Olivia.
"I'm not making you mud pie tonight." Emma told her brother. Mud pies were Emma's specialty and a recipe she'd discovered on her own.

"You can't leave me out!" Adam retorted.

"Yes I can," Emma said smugly.

Thankfully, the train had arrived, cutting off their argument.

"Where's Hannah?" Isabelle craned her neck. "Daddy, pick me up!"

Will swung her up onto his shoulders. "Let me know if you see her, love."

Hannah hurried to get off the train. She'd had fun on the ride home but was anxious to see her family.

"Hannah!" Hannah smiled as she heard Isabelle's voice through the crowd.

She saw them waiting near the platform and bolted off the train, pushing through the crowd.

Hannah ran toward her parents and siblings. Nathan reached her first and Hannah hugged him tightly. "Nate!"

"I missed you," Nathan said as Isabelle slammed into them.

"I missed you guys, too!" Hannah exclaimed, kneeling down to hug them both.

"And us?" Will asked his daughter. "You forgot about us?"

Hannah giggled. "Daddy!"

Frankie hugged her daughter tightly. "I thought about you every day." she said. "I've missed you so, so much."

"I missed you too, Mummy," Hannah said. "And I have so much to tell you!"

"I can't wait to hear it," Frankie said as Will scooped her up.

"This can't be my little girl," Will said hugging her. "She's so grown up."

Hannah laughed. "I'm not THAT grown up yet, Daddy."

"We have loads planned," Isabelle said. "Mummy's made spaghetti and we're going to watch movies and you're going to sleep in my room tonight!"

"That sounds like so much fun," Hannah said. "I can't wait."

"I'll go and get your trunk," Will said. "I'll be right back."

"Okay," Frankie said as Hannah saw Emma and made a beeline for her.

"Em!" Hannah squealed.

"Hannah!" Emma hugged her best friend. "You have to tell me EVERYTHING about Hogwarts!"

"I will," Hannah promised.

"Can you come over tonight?" Emma asked. "You can have Adam's mud pie."

Hannah shook her head. "I promised Izzie and Nathan, but maybe tomorrow we can have a sleepover or something?"

Emma grinned. "Okay."

"And just think," Hannah said. "Next time, I board that train, you'll be boarding with me!"

"I know," Emma's eyes gleamed. "You have to tell me about all the feasts."

Hannah giggled. She knew that would be the most important thing to Emma. "You'll have fun with Caroline tonight."

"I will," Emma said. "I'll owl you tomorrow."

"Bye," Hannah gave her another hug.

"Got your trunk, Hannah." Will said. "Are you ready to go?"

Hannah nodded. "I'm ready to go home, Daddy."

Frankie took both her daughters' hands. "Guess what, Hannah?"

"What?" Hannah asked.

"Mallory's coming for a visit next week," Frankie told her. She and Mallory had come to peace with one another over time. She still didn't feel completely comfortable around the other woman but in general had no problems with her anymore.

"Really?" Hannah asked with a grin.

"She sure is," Frankie replied. "And very eager to see you."

"I've missed her," Hannah said. "And I can't wait to show her the photographs I have of my mother."

"What photographs?" Frankie asked.

"Oh," Hannah said. "Professor Graves remembers my mother. She gave me some old photographs of her when she was at Hogwarts. She was in Gryffindor like me and she loved Herbology best just like me."

"How lovely," Frankie said. "You'll have to show them to me later."

"I will," Hannah said.

"Me too," Isabelle asked.

"Of course, you too," Hannah said taking Isabelle's hand.

The Barron family got home quickly and Hannah went to her room to put away her things. She felt a rush of happiness at the sight of her bedroom. She loved the dormitory at Hogwarts but it was nothing like home.

"Do you need any help?" Frankie asked.

"That would be nice," Hannah smiled at her mother.

"So, how were your final exams?" Hannah asked.

Frankie asked.

"They were good," Hannah said. "Except Snape's, but Caroline helped me study."

Frankie smiled. "I always had trouble with his exams, too."

"He's pretty mean," Hannah confessed.

Frankie helped Hannah put her clothes away. "Don't worry too much about him, Hannah. You're a good student."

"Thanks," Hannah said. "Here are those pictures."

Frankie sat down on the bed. "Let's see."

"There she was," Hannah pointed.

Frankie smiled. "She looks just like you."

Hannah smiled wistfully. "It makes me feel close to her again.

Frankie put an arm around her. "Well, what else did you find out about her?"

"Not much yet," Hannah said. "I only found out about it a few days ago."

"I know how important she still is to you so I'm really happy that you're finding out things about her," Frankie said.

Hannah grinned. "Thanks Mummy."

Frankie grinned back at her. "And I'm very grateful to her because thanks to her, I have you."

Hannah's smile grew wider and she hugged Frankie tightly. "I missed you so much."

"Oh, sweetheart, I missed you too," Frankie said softly. "It was so hard to let you go."

"I had a lot of fun though," Hannah said. "And I brought back presents for Isabelle and Nathan."

Frankie grinned. "Isabelle thought you would."

"Caroline got them for me," Hannah gottwo small bags of sweets from her trunk.

"They'll love them," Frankie said. "They missed you so much."

"It's good to be home," Hannah looked around her bedroom.

"And in just a few days, we'll be at the beach," Frankie told her. Far away from David Wright, Frankie thought, but did not say aloud.

Hannah brightened. "I can't WAIT for that!"

Frankie grinned. "You and Emma going to cause some trouble?"

"We don't get in trouble," Hannah joked. "We're too cute."

Will laughed as he came into the room with Isabelle and Nathan. "Is that right, Miss Barron?"

"I'm too cute too," Isabelle said with a grin. "Right Hannah?"

"You are adorable, Izzie," Hannah said, motioning for them to come over to her. "And what kind of sister would I be if I didn't bring my favourite little sister and little brother something..."

"PRESENTS!" Nathan hollered.

Hannah giggled. "Nathan!"

"It's sweets," Isabelle said happily.

"From Hogsmeade," Hannah said, handing them each a bag.

"Thanks Hannah," Nathan said happily.

"Thanks, Hannah!" Isabelle echoed.

"Welcome, you two," Hannah said. "Caroline got them for me but I bought them with my own money."

"Can we eat them now?" Isabelle asked Frankie.

"You can both have a piece," Frankie said. "I don't want either of you ruining your supper."

"We don't want to spoil that spaghetti," Hannah said. "I can't wait. I've missed home cooking."

"I helped make the sauce," Isabelle told her.

Hannah grinned. "You did?"

Isabelle nodded and reached for her sister's hand.

"What is it, Izzie?" Hannah asked.

"I want to show you the sauce," Isabelle said.

"Oh, okay," Hannah said taking her hand.

"No touching," Frankie said to her daughters. "It's hot."

"I'll make sure she doesn't," Hannah promised. "Come on, Nathan. You come, too."

Nathan grinned as Hannah led her brother and sister out of the bedroom.

Will sat down beside Frankie on Hannah's bed. "Everything okay?"

"I'm just glad to have her home," Frankie leaned against her husband.

"Me too," Will said putting his arm around her.

"When did you talk to Mallory," Frankie asked. "When was she planning on flying in?"

"Next weekend," Will replied.

"I assume she's joining us in Brighton then," Frankie replied.

"Yeah," Will replied. "If that's okay with you. She said she was going to stay in a hotel."

"It's fine with me," Frankie said. "I'd offer her to stay at the house but it's not ours."

"She's just as upset about the parole hearing as we are," Will said.

"Ugh," Frankie said. "Why would they even CONSIDER letting him out?"

"I have no idea," Will said truthfully.

Frankie shuddered. She would never forget sitting face to face with that man.

Will picked up the discarded photos of Abbie Wright.

"She was pretty," he commented. "Hannah really looks like her."

"She does," Frankie agreed.

Will set the pictures on Hannah's nightstand. "I'm so glad she's home." he said as they left the bedroom. "It didn't hit me until I saw her come off the train just how much I missed having her here."

"I know," Frankie said. "It felt like there was something missing from our family and now we have them all here---under the same roof."

"Just a taste, Hannah," they heard Nathan coaxing his sister.

Hannah grinned. "Okay, Nathan."

"What's going on here?" Frankie joked. "Do I see a few food thieves in here?"

Hannah giggled. "Just a little. And I saw where Daddy made the garlic bread!"

"Just for you," Will said, hugging her.

"Let's eat," Frankie said. "I'm starving."

"Yummy," Nathan said.

"Izzie and I can set the table," Hannah said.

"And Nathan and I will get drinks," Frankie said.

"I want a Fizzy," Isabelle said.

"Me too!" Nathan said.

"Okay," Frankie said. "We have your favourites."

Will set the bread basket in the middle of the table. "No sneaking, Hannah."

"Just one piece?" Hannah giggled.

Will winked at her. "Just one."

"Thanks," Hannah bit into a piece. "Mmmm..."

"Good?" Will asked her. "Oh, who am I kidding? I make the best garlic bread in the free world."

"Yes you do," Frankie grinned at her husband.

"It's the reason she married me," Will said to his children.

"Just for garlic bread?" Isabelle asked.

"It was one of the many things I loved about him," Frankie clarified.

"Daddy's good cook," Nathan nodded.

The family sat down at the table and Hannah was about to take a bite of her food when the phone rang.

"I'll get it," Will said.

Frankie looked at her children. "Go ahead and tuck in. If it's one of your father's colleagues, he might be all night."

Isabelle and Nathan dug eagerly into their spaghetti. Hannah was about to do the same when Will motioned to her. "It's Mallory, sweetheart."

Hannah grinned. "Ooh!"

Frankie smiled as Hannah went over to the phone.

Will tapped his wand to Hannah's plate and set a warming charm on her food.

"Thanks Daddy," Hannah said. "Hi Aunt Mallory!"

"Hi, Hannah!" Mallory replied.

"I missed you," Hannah said. "I just got home today from school."

"That's why I called," Mallory said. "I wanted to see how you were doing and how you did on your exams."

"I did good," Hannah told her.

"My smart little niece," Mallory said proudly.

"Mummy and Daddy told me you're coming for a visit," Hannah said excitedly.

"Yes," Mallory said. "I can't wait to catch up with you."

"The beach is fun," Hannah said. "I bet you'll like it."

"I'm sure I will," Mallory said. "I know you're having dinner so I won't keep you, but I just wanted to say hi and that I can't wait to see you."

"I can't wait to see you either," Hannah said.

"Love you," Mallory said.

"Love you too," Hannah said. "Bye!"

Hannah hung up the phone and walked back into the kitchen.

"How is Mallory?" Frankie asked.

"Good," Hannah replied. "She's looking forward to seeing me."

"We'll pick her up at the airport in a Muggle car," Will said.

"Yay!" Nathan replied.

"Zoom," Frankie teased her son.

Hannah giggled. "You used to say that every time we went to the airport and every time Daddy would take you flying!"

"I know," he said. "I remember that."

"He still does," Isabelle said with a grin.

Nathan reached for his Fizzy. "I like flying."

"I like it too," Hannah said thoughtfully. "I really liked my first year flying lessons."

"I'll take you flying on a broom if you want this summer," Will offered.

"I'd really like that," Hannah replied.

"You can go to the pitch and fly there," Frankie said. "Open air."

Hannah's eyes grew large. "Really, Mummy?"

"Sure," Frankie replied. "I'll arrange it."

The look on Hannah's face was one of pure joy. Frankie smiled. She would do everything in her power to protect Hannah. David Wright was in the past and that's where he was going to stay.

*** *** ***

Ethan and Maddie were busily trying to pack their children's belongings for the Brighton beach trip. They were leaving by Portkey soon and the babies were currently napping while Kiera and Gwyn played outside.

Ethan shook his head as he guided some pyjama sets into the suitcase with the aid of his wand. "I honestly don't know how your parents were able to do this---six children and they never seemed to have a problem. If we weren't magical, I don't know what we'd do, Mads."

"I don't know either," Maddie said. "It's so much easier this way."

Ethan gave her a kiss. "I'm going to get another suitcase for Kiera and Gwyn's toys."

"They should have some toys there," Maddie said. "So we don't need to bring too many."

Ethan nodded. "I know Gwyn's going to want her bear."

"Of course," Maddie replied. "We won't go anywhere without those."

Ethan left the room and Maddie looked down at the baby clothes in the suitcase. Four sets of pyjamas---two in blue, two in pink.

She sighed as she touched one of the blue sets. "Should be three," she said softly.

Maddie walked into the nursery and peered down at the sleeping babies. She tried not to think of how much she had missed when she was dealing with grief. Arielle puckered her lips and Maddie smiled.

She reminded herself that she was blessed to have six other children. She remembered when she and Ethan were having trouble conceiving and she thought she would never hold a child of her own.

She had six healthy, happy children now.

She smiled as Arielle opened her eyes and peered up at her. "Hi," she whispered to her daughter.

Maddie gingerly lifted Arielle out of the crib. "How was your nap, little one?"

Arielle sniffled and buried her face in Maddie's hair.

Maddie patted her daughter's back and sat down with her on the rocking chair. "Mummy's here, Ari. Mummy's here."

Ethan poked his head in. "Are they up?"

"One of four," Maddie whispered.

"I just checked on the other two," Ethan said. "They're excited."

Maddie smiled. "I know. Gwyn wanted to leave this morning."

"She's eager to see Ellie." Maddie nodded.

"The Dynamic Duo," Ethan joked.

"I'm glad they're so close," Maddie bounced Arielle gently.

Ethan knelt down and looked at Arielle. "You ready for the beach, baby?"

Arielle smiled at her father.

Ethan smiled back at her and held out his hand. Arielle wrapped her hand around his finger.

"I do love it when they do that," Maddie said softly.

"Me too," Ethan said. "And wouldn't you know it, I have her wrapped around my little finger."

Maddie laughed. "That's the other way around."

"Don't I know it," Ethan said.

"I should feed her," Maddie replied.

"I'll go and finish packing," Ethan said.

"We won't be long," Maddie promised.

"Take as long as you need," Ethan said softly.

Maddie watched her husband go and realised how lucky she was to have him.

"Your daddy's pretty special," Maddie said to Arielle.

Arielle cooed up at her, a grin on her little face.

Maddie pressed a kiss to Arielle's forehead. "I missed so much, sweetheart. But, I'm not going to let you or your brothers and sisters down anymore. I promise."

Arielle reached a tiny hand up towards her.

Maddie grinned. "What is it?"

"Oooooh," Arielle said.

"Ooooh," Maddie echoed. "Are you hungry, love?"

Arielle grinned again.

Gwyn and Kiera had finished playing and were heading upstairs and Kiera stopped in the doorway of the nursery. She smiled when she saw her mother feeding Arielle.

"Hi girls," Maddie whispered. "Are you both ready to go?"

"Just about," Kiera replied.

"I can't wait to spend time on the beach with you both," Maddie said.

"Wanna build a big sandcastle," Gwyn told her.

"Of course," Maddie nodded. "We will build a beautiful sand castle."

"And Daddy's going to take us on the boat," Kiera said.

"It's going to be a perfect holiday," Maddie said as Arielle finished nursing.

Kiera handed her mother a towel.

"Thank you, sweetheart." Maddie said as Christian woke up and started to cry.

Ethan came in with a grin. "No worries. I've got him."

"Thank you," Maddie said gratefully.

Gwyn's face scrunched up. "I think I know why he woke up crying! Phewwwww...."

Ethan laughed. "Nappy duty."

"Stinky," Gwyn said.

"You smelled like this once," Ethan told his daughter.

"Worse," Kiera said with a grin. She looked over at her mother. "Do you remember that one time when she had a really bad nappy and Blue nearly passed out!"

Maddie laughed as Gwyn pouted. "It's all right, love. We all had stinky nappies at one point."

"Even Daddy?" Gwyn asked.

"Especially your daddy," Maddie replied.

"Thanks, Mads," Ethan said.

Kiera leaned against her mother. "Are you feeling better?"

"Much," Maddie said. "Thanks to all of you."

Kiera smiled.

Maddie felt a surge of happiness go through her at the look on her oldest daughter's face. She knew that Kiera had gone through her own guilt over this loss. Though she would never get over the loss, it was time to move on with her family.

"I bet Gregory's playing with Hope somewhere," Kiera said softly. "Don't you think, Mummy?"

"I'm sure he is," Maddie said. "That's a lovely way of putting it, Kiera."

"That is, sweetheart," Ethan said swallowing the lump in his throat. "I bet they are playing together."

"Just like Ellie and me," Gwyn said.

Ethan smiled at his daughter. "Why don't you two go get your bears and then we'll pack up these four and get going?"

Kiera nodded and took Gwyn's hand. "Come on, Gwyn."

"Kay," Gwyn said happily. Gregory's death had not affected her as much as it had Kiera, but she still understood the severity of it.

Maddie looked over at Ethan once they were alone. "That makes me feel better thinking of Gregory with Hope."

"Me too," Ethan nodded. "Never crossed my mind before."

"Mine, either," Maddie said standing up with Arielle.

Ethan put an arm around her. "Things have been looking up lately. Perhaps this is a sign for us that he's okay."

Maddie nodded. "They have and I want to make this holiday special for the children, especially Kiera and Gwyn since they didn't get a chance to have a proper summer last year."

"Right," Ethan nodded. "Sandcastles, boating, taking them to the arcade..."

"And that chocolate shoppe in town," Maddie said grinning at him. "I think I'll have to take Emma with me there."

"If you went without her it would cause a crisis," Ethan laughed.

Maddie grinned. "I want to spend time with her before she goes off to Hogwarts."

"I can't believe she's that old already," Ethan shook his head as he finished stuffing the babies' bags with clothing.

"In a few years, we'll be sending Kiera," Maddie said.

"I don't want to think about that," Ethan shook his head.

Maddie set Arielle in her carrier. "Erik and Tasha certainly are heavy little sleepers."

"Like me," Ethan said ruefully.

Maddie lifted Natasha out of the crib, stirring the baby from her sleep. "Beach time, baby."

Ethan loaded Christian and Erik into their carriers as Kiera and Gwyn reappeared, teddy bears in hand.

"We're ready, Mummy," Gwyn said.

"Good girls," Maddie said.

"Let me just shrink our luggage," Ethan said with a grin.

"Shrink the luggage," Gwyn chorused, giggling. "Shrink the luggage, shrink the luggage!"

Ethan shook his head. "Silly Gwyn."

Kiera giggled. "Come on Gwyn. You can hold my hand while we portkey."

"Kay," Gwyn said hugging her bear to her.

Ethan gripped two of the carriers in one of his hands, and Maddie put the other two over her arms. "Everyone strapped in and ready to go?"

Gwyn nodded. "Daddy, Blue will be lonely without us though. Why can't he go, too?"

"Too many people there, sweetheart," Ethan said. "But he's being taken care of."

"Nana will look after him," Kiera assured her little sister.

"Okay," Gwyn frowned.

"We'll get him something in Brighton," Kiera said.

"Okay," Gwyn brightened. "A hat."

Ethan stifled a laugh at the picture of their pixie in a hat. "Mads, grab that book on the coffee table there. It's our portkey."

"Okay," Maddie said. "Beach, here we come."

Kiera put a hand on the book.

Gwyn did the same and Maddie, though struggling with the weight of two carriers, also managed to lay her palm on the novel.

The eight of them arrived at the Brighton beach house a few minutes later. Gwyn opened her eyes. "I don't like that, Kiki."

"I know," Kiera said. "But it's already over and we're at the beach."

"Yay!" Gwyn exclaimed. "ELLIE!"

"Gwynnie!" Ellie came rushing into the sitting room.

Gwyn dropped her bear and hugged her cousin.

Saffron followed her daughter in. "I thought I heard a commotion."

"Brat," Ethan said grinning at his sister.

"Golden Boy," Saffron hugged her brother.

"I don't know what you two are always going on about," Julie said. "I'm the FAVOURITE. I am the oldest."

"We love you too Jules," Saffron said with a grin. "But you're also the stodgiest."

"Stodgy," Julie said hugging Kiera. "Kiera, kindly tell your Aunt Saffy that I am not stodgy."

"Not sto... stod... stuffy..." Kiera said.

Ethan chuckled. "Good one, Kiera. Stuffy's a good word for her, too."

"To think I was glad to see both of you," Julie shook her head.

"You're not stodgy," Maddie told her with a grin.

"Only my sister in law sticks up for me," Julie took one of the carriers off Maddie's arm. "Let me see my nieces and nephews."

Julie lifted Erik out of his carrier. "Look at this big boy!"

"He has grown," Maddie unstrapped Natasha.

Saffron grinned. "Let me at one of them."

Ethan set Arielle down. "She's been pretty active today."

"Just like her Aunt Saffy," Saffron said taking Arielle in her arms. "Hiya, love."

"Can I see her Mummy?" Ellie asked.

"Sure," Saffron said. "Come here, sweetheart."

Saffron sat down and Ellie climbed onto the sofa next to her. "Em says she wants Arielle's name."

"Well, she is our little mermaid," Saffron said with a grin.

Ellie giggled. "Was I ever that little, Mummy?"

"You were," Saffron said. "You were such a happy baby, too."

Ellie grinned. "Like Daddy. That's what Uncle RJ says."

"Pains me to say this, but RJ is right," Saffron said.

"Wait, what?" Ethan asked.

"Shut it," Saffron said to him.

"I think I'll have a little talk with RJ when he gets here later," Ethan teased.

"I'll deny it," Saffron said. She gently placed Arielle in Ellie's lap. "Just support her head...there you go."

"Hi," Ellie said softly to her cousin. "You're so pretty."

"She takes after me," Ethan told his niece.

"You're not pretty," Ellie told him.

Saffron stifled a laugh.

"You are Saffron's daughter," Ethan shook his head. "Through and through."

Ellie beamed at him.

"Where's your better half?" Ethan asked his sister.

"Andrew took Edward out on the beach," Saffron said.

"First time in the ocean?" Ethan asked.

Saffron nodded. "He loved it."

"Kiera and Gwyn have been looking forward to this for weeks," Ethan said. "Mads and I really want them to have fun."

Saffron knew exactly why and she smiled at her brother. "They will."

"Gwynnie and me will have fun," Ellie said as Saffron took Arielle into her arms.

Gwyn nodded. "Yes, we will. El, let's go see our room!"

The two little girls raced upstairs hand in hand.

"They are so cute," Saffron said.

"Where's my room?" Kiera asked.

"You're rooming with Chloe, Emma and Casey," Saffron told her. "They haven't arrived yet so you can go on up and pick out which bed you want."

Kiera grinned. "Will you help me?"

"Absolutely," Saffron replied. "Come on, Miss Potter."

"Thanks Saffy," Maddie told her. "Ethan and I need to get these four settled."

"No problem," Saffron said with a grin.

She took her niece's hand and led the little girl upstairs. "You're right in here, sweetheart."

Kiera followed her inside and grinned. "Whoa---"

"Now mademoiselle," Saffron said. "Which bed will be yours?"

"Can I have the one by the window?" Kiera asked. "The one with the blue blanket?"

"You absolutely can," Saffron summoned up Kiera's little suitcase.

"I'm so glad we're here," Kiera said looking out the window.

"I am too," Saffron said.

"Think this will be a good summer?" Kiera asked looking thoughtfully at her aunt.

"Oh yes," Saffron nodded. "A very good summer."

"Mummy needs it," Kiera said softly.

Saffron hugged her niece to her. "Your mummy is very happy to be here with you."

"Thanks, Aunt Saffy," Kiera said.

"I love you, sweetheart," Saffron said. "You are the most intelligent five year old I've ever met."

"I love you too," Kiera said.

Saffron kissed her cheek. "Let's get you unpacked and into your swim costume."

While Saffron helped Kiera get settled, Harry and Hermione were just arriving in Brighton. Harry was on edge already, but he was determined to forget about all the stress at work and enjoy being with his family.

"Come on," Hermione said. "You're on holiday. Just forget about her."

"Right," Harry said. He tried to block out the snide comment Josephine had made when he was leaving the office that afternoon. "Must be nice to be able to go on holiday," she had said.

"I work hard so I can spend my time with my family," he had retorted.

"You have fun on your little trip," Josephine had said with a smile, but there was a disdainful tone to her voice.

Harry had clenched his fists but left the office. Josephine had said nothing to Neville about also taking off a few days beforehand.

Hermione stood before her husband and put her hands on his shoulders. "Deep breaths, Harry."

"I'm sorry," Harry replied.

"No need to apologise," Hermione reassured him. "This is just what we both need."

Harry nodded. "Very much so."

Hermione gave him a kiss.

Harry smiled at her. "Love you."

"I love you," Hermione said taking his hand and leading the way into the beach house.

Saffron was just coming down the stairs with Kiera. "Hi Dad! Hi Mum!"

Kiera ran toward her grandfather. "Grandpa!"

Harry scooped her up. "Who is this beautiful little lady?"

Kiera giggled. "It's me, Grandpa!"

Harry hugged her to him. "You're getting too big too fast, Kiera Faith."

Kiera grinned. "Maybe you're shrinking!"

Hermione laughed at the expression on Harry's face. "You are a funny girl, Kiera."

Saffron laughed, too. She gave her mother a hug. "I'm so glad you're finally here."

Hermione kissed the side of her youngest daughter's head. "We wouldn't have missed it."

"Jules and Nick are in the kitchen," Saffron told them. "Ethan and Maddie are getting settled upstairs with the babies and Andrew has Edward on the beach."

"Great," Hermione said. "We'll just get unpacked."

Harry set Kiera down. "We'll see you in a bit."

"Hurry," Kiera told them.

"We will," Harry promised.

"She's so funny," Hermione said, levitating their suitcases up to their bedroom.

"She is," Harry said following her upstairs to their room. Hermione was startled on the top step as Ron Weasley jumped out from behind one of the doors. Harry and Hermione's suitcases fell down the stairs. "GOTCHA!" Ron cackled.

"Ronald Bilius Weasley!" Hermione scolded him.

Ron laughed even harder. "You should have seen the looks on your faces!"

Hermione rolled her eyes as she summoned their suitcases back up the stairs, aiming the heaviest one at Ron.

Ron ducked just in time. "It was just a joke!"

"So was that," Harry returned, walking past him.

Ron laughed. "Okay, okay. You're obviously not in a good mood."

"I was fine," Harry said.

"How old are you now, Ron?" Hermione asked him.

"You're older than me," Ron said.

Hermione turned and glared at him.

"Not wise," Harry chuckled. "Not wise at all."

"I was just having a bit of fun," Ron defended himself. "Sorry."

Harry was still chuckling a few minutes later as Ron tried to rub the feathers out of his ears.

Hermione smiled at him. "What? It's just a little joke..."

"Thanks a lot," Ron grumbled. "How long will this last?"

Hermione shrugged. "One never knows..."

"Hermione," Ron whined.

Luna patted her husband on his shoulder. "You kind of deserve it."

"Give it twenty minutes," Hermione said as she waved her wand at their suitcases.

"Note to self," Ron said. "Never mess with her ever again."

"Words to live by," Hermione returned, going into the bedroom.

"After all this time, you should have known that all along," Harry said to his best friend.

Hermione used magic to unpack all their belongings. "He's not always smart that way," she called back.

Ron was going to say something, but thought better of it. He disappeared into his room with Luna.

Harry was still grinning when he went into the bedroom. "My favourite room in this house..."

Hermione laughed. "Harry..."

"I do feel better," he said. "That was pretty damn funny out there."

Hermione turned to look at him. "It's always fun to mess with Ron."

"Sure is," Harry sat down on the edge of the bed.

Hermione sat down beside him and rested her head on his shoulder.

Harry kissed the side of her head. "I'm ready for some relaxation."

"Me too," Hermione said. "That budget drained me."

"All behind you now," Harry said, nuzzling her neck.

Hermione closed her eyes. "Yes."

"You know, we could always just lock ourselves in here for awhile," Harry suggested.

"As much as I'd love to, we promised Kiera," Hermione said.

"We did," Harry said. "Later?"

"Absolutely," Hermione said giving him a kiss.

They changed their clothing and headed back downstairs. Harry felt more relaxed as he took in the sight of his children and grandchildren gathering in the sitting room.

Rafe, Liam and Darla had just arrived and Ellie's entire face lit up when she saw Rafe. Hermione nudged Harry and the two of them watched the little girl run over to him.

"Hi Rafe!" Ellie put her arms around him.

"Ellie," Rafe said uncomfortably. He looked up at his mother for help.

Darla smiled. "Hello, Ellie. You're looking quite lovely."

Ellie beamed at her. "Thank you!"

"Rafe has to go unpack and change," Darla said. "He'll meet you out at the beach in a little while."

"Okay," Ellie said happily. "Gwyn and me are going to build a sand castle."

"A sand castle?" Rafe asked interestedly.

Ellie nodded. "With a big moat!"

"Rafe will love to help," Darla said. "We'll be out in just a little while."

"Okay," Ellie said grabbing Gwyn's hand. "Come on, Gwynnie."

Saffron followed her daughter and niece outside. "I see your father over there, El."

"Ooooh!" Ellie said excitedly.

"Go ahead," Saffron said. "I'll watch you two."

Ellie and Gwyn ran toward Edward and Andrew.

Saffron watched them go then glanced at the house next door. The Grants had sold it long ago, but she still couldn't help but remember Sean.

The guilt over his death was still with her. There was no telling what he would be doing right now.

She sighed as she ambled down the beach towards her family. Itwas hard to be here and not think of everything that had happened.

Saffron could still see Sean as a teenager approaching her and Alexa on the beach.

He had been so sweet, slightly awkward, but she had grown to care about him very much.

"Saffy?" RJ asked, coming up behind her.

Saffron jumped. "RJ!"

"Sorry," he said holding up his hands. "Didn't mean to startle you."

"It's all right," Saffron smiled at him. "Where's Audrey?"

"Coming later," RJ told her. "She's working."

"I can't wait to talk to her about the wedding," Saffron said.

RJ grinned. "She said the same thing about you. Wants to throw some ideas off you."

"Great," Saffron said. "I cannot believe you're getting married, RJ."

"Me either," RJ said. "But, Aud's the one."

Saffron grinned. "She tamed you."

"Tamed me?" RJ chuckled.

"She so did," Saffron said as they neared Andrew and the children.

"Uncle RJ!" Gwyn squealed.

"Hey you," RJ swung Gwyn up into the air. "Are you causing trouble yet?"

Gwyn giggled. "Not me! Ellie!"

"I am not," Ellie replied.

"Not yet," Saffron teased.

RJ set Gwyn down and picked up Ellie. "This is my partner in crime."

"Don't I know it," Saffron said dryly.

"Hey RJ," Andrew greeted his best friend. "Glad you're here."

RJ grinned. "Mate."

"This little guy's been looking forward to seeing you too," he said, picking up Edward.

Edward waved at him. "Hi!"

"He just went into the ocean for the first time," Saffron said. "Loves it."

"No fear, buddy," RJ said making a goofy face at him.

Edward laughed. "No."

"Lexie gracing us with her presence this summer or is she still missing in action?" RJ asked.

"She's in Canada," Saffron said. "And after this, she's being sent to Russia."

"Russia," RJ asked, taken aback.

"Then Siberia," Saffron replied. "She's so busy."

"I'll say," RJ said.

"I miss her," Saffron admitted.

"We all do," Andrew said. "But she's living her dream."

"Like the rest of us," Saffron replied. "I'm happy for her."

Maddie and Ethan were coming out onto the beach and RJ smiled when he saw his sister looking so happy. "Look, Gwyn. It's Mummy Mad Dog."

Gwyn giggled. "Mad Dog!"

Maddie rolled her eyes. "RJ---"

"Why are you Mad Dog?" Kiera asked her mother.

"Your Uncle Jon gave me that name when I was about your age and it kind of stuck," Maddie said sitting down.

"I don't think you look like a dog," Kiera said.

Maddie smiled. "Thank you, my love."

Ethan choked back a laugh as he spread the towels out.

"Where's the Fearless Foursome?" RJ asked.

"Luna's watching them while they kip," Ethan said. "Gives us a chance to enjoy some time with Kiera and Gwyn."

"That's great," Saffron replied.

"Go!" Edward pointed back out to the water as he looked over at his father.

Andrew laughed. "Okay, mate. Back in we go."

"We'll go with you," Ethan scooped Kiera up.

Kiera giggled. "YAY!"

"What about me?" Gwyn asked.

Maddie stood up and offered her hand. "Come on, you."

"But we have to start on our sand castle," Ellie said.

"I'll help you and then Gwyn can join us when she finishes," Saffron said.

"And Rafe," Ellie looked up at her mother.

"Your little boyfriend," RJ teased.

Ellie blushed and buried her face in Saffron's leg.

"Don't listen to him," Saffron said, patting Ellie's back.

"Nice, RJ," Andrew joked before heading to the water.

"I'm only having a go, El," RJ said. "Your mum's right. Don't listen to me."

"Mummy always tells me not to," Ellie said innocently.

Saffron looked at RJ with a grin.

"That explains a lot," RJ said. "Ellie Kirke, I think you're about to go for a dunk in the ocean..."

"NO!" Ellie squealed.

"Well then I think Saffron should get a dunk," RJ said.

"Oh, no you don't!" Saffron warned.

RJ made a move to grab her.

Saffron grabbed Ellie by the hand. "Come on. We can outrun him."

Ellie squealed and they ran towards the water's edge.

RJ grinned. "You can run, but you can't hide!"

"We can get wet before you throw us in," Saffron scooped up her daughter.

"Right!" Ellie agreed.

RJ shook his head. "You two are too good."

"And don't you forget it," Ellie told him.

Saffron laughed at the look on RJ's face.

"I am my mummy's daughter," Ellie said.

"You sure are," RJ said as they waded into the ocean.

Saffron grinned. "Okay, baby?"

"Yes," Ellie said, moving closer to her.

"I won't let anything happen to you," Saffron promised.

"Hold me," Ellie said.

Saffron grinned and picked Ellie up. "Better?"

"Yes," Ellie said, putting her arms around her mother's neck.

RJ dove under the water and took off. Saffron shook her head. "Show-off."

"Where did he go?" Ellie asked.

"There he is," Saffron motioned off in the distance.

"Wow," Ellie said. "He swims fast, Mummy."

"Yes he does," Saffron agreed.

"Can we go find Daddy?" Ellie asked.

"We sure can," Saffron said. "And we can find Rafe so you can start your castle."

Ellie's face broke out into a huge grin.

Saffron smiled. Kiera was right. This was going to be a great summer.

343. Chapter 343 The Lies She Told

Authors' note: Thanks for the questions again, you guys! They were great and if you have more, please keep asking them! We love reading them! Tonight's chapter is all about Gabe and his work at the hospital and you find out how far Katie will get in trying to revive her friendship with Caroline in Brighton. Please review! And on a personal note, we want to wish all the mothers out there, especially our moms, a Happy Mother's Day!

Hospital work was Gabriel's favourite part of his medical training. Tonight he was assigned to a doctor who was in the ER which was one of the best places to get hands on experience. He was also lucky that this doctor was one of the few who wanted to take the time to show an intern exactly what to do rather than use them as a whipping boy.

"One of the best things about working in emergency," Dr. Miller was saying. "is learning how to think fast on your feet. You will never know exactly what kind of cases you will get. A gunshot wound, a burn, broken bones..."

"Right," Gabriel nodded eagerly. "I want to treat them all."

Dr. Miller looked at the board listing the patients awaiting treatment. There were no seemingly major cases awaiting. "Let's go and see our patient with the possible broken wrist, shall we?"

"Sure," Gabriel took the chart.

"Twenty-one year old female," Gabriel recited from the chart. "Admitted an hour ago complaining of pain in the left wrist."

“I’ll need to do some X Rays," Dr. Miller said.

Dr. Miller took the chart from Gabriel and scanned over the notes there. Gabriel pulled back the curtain and his jaw dropped when he saw who the patient in question actually was.

"Steph?" he asked.

Stephanie looked up in surprise. "Gabe.."

"What are you doing here?" he asked.

Stephanie was silent and he noticed that her eyes were red.

"What happened?" Gabriel hooked the chart onto the end of the bed.

"Oh, I fell," Stephanie said quietly.

Gabriel gently took her wrist and carefully looked it over.

He noticed there were bruises on her wrist.

"These are from falling? he asked her.

Stephanie nodded, but did not meet his gaze. "I'm clumsy."

"If you had fallen, your bruises should have been on the other side," Gabriel remarked, looking up at Dr. Miller.

Dr. Miller nodded in agreement.

"I fell on it all weird," Stephanie yanked her hand back.

"Boyd, why don't you take her down to have x-rays?" Dr. Miller suggested. "Page me when you've finished."

"Yes Dr. Miller," Gabriel nodded.

The doctor left them alone and Stephanie still refused to look at Gabriel. He offered her his hand.

"Come on," Gabriel said. "Let's go get that checked out."

Reluctantly, she nodded and stood up. "Okay."

"It'll be all right," Gabriel assured her, putting an arm around her to steady her. "It does look broken to me. If that's the case, we'll cast it."

Stephanie sighed. "I can't afford this right now..."

"Your insurance should take care of it," Gabriel told her.

"I don't have insurance," Stephanie said quietly. "And it's not just that...I can't afford to miss work."

Gabriel stared at her. "You have no insurance?"

Stephanie shook her head. "No."

Technically, they weren't supposed to treat her. He was actually supposed to refer her to a hospital in the middle of the city.

"I should go home," Stephanie said. "My wrist doesn't really hurt all that much..."

"If it's broken you can't use it," Gabriel said. "Come on. X Rays."

Stephanie opened her mouth to protest, but he shot her a warning look.

"I can't let you go with a broken wrist," he held open the door for her.

Stephanie stepped into the room. Why did he have to be here, she thought dismally. She could tell from the look in his eyes that he did not buy her excuse of 'falling'.

He worked on setting her wrist down so the X Rays would show the view they needed. "Keep it still, Steph." he said as the technician took the pictures.

Stephanie did as he requested and bit down on her lip to keep from crying.

Gabriel saw the look on her face and bit his lower lip. He was concerned about her.

"Just give me a moment," the technician said. "And I'll have the films ready for you."

"Thanks," Gabriel said. "Steph, just keep it still, okay?"

Stephanie was silent, aware that he was watching her.

"It'll hurt less if you keep it still," he told her.

"I'm trying," she whispered.

A few minutes later, Gabriel held the envelope of X Rays as they went back up to an examination room. "It really hurts," she whimpered.

"I can imagine," Gabriel told her. "I'll get some ice after I page the doctor."

Stephanie nodded as she sank weakly onto the examination table.

She heard Gabriel pick up the phone, but she did not hear a word he said. She honestly did not know how she had gotten here. This morning, everything had been fine. She had awoken before the alarm, hoping to look over the course catalogue again. Her mistake had been not turning off the alarm. Tony awoke from his sleep and had been more angry than she could ever remember him being.

He'd been angry that she hadn't made breakfast for him and when she offered to bring him cereal he had backhanded her.

"Dr. Miller's on his way," Gabriel said, elevating Stephanie's wrist and gently setting the ice-pack on top of her wrist.

"Ouch," she winced.

"Sorry," he said sitting down in the chair .

"Can't I have anything for the pain?" she asked.

"I'm sure Dr. Miller will prescribe something," Gabriel reassured her.

Stephanie nodded and closed her eyes.

"What really happened?" he asked her.

"I told you," Stephanie said uncomfortably.

"You fell," Gabriel said, levelling his gaze at her.

"Yes," she answered. "I told you, I'm clumsy."

Gabriel nodded. "Looks to me like someone grabbed your wrist..."

"That's not it," Stephanie snapped.

Dr. Miller's reappearance cut off Gabriel's next remark.

"Have you got those X Rays Gabriel?" he asked as Gabriel nodded and stuck them up against the lights. "Yes... a break. In three places, actually."

Stephanie winced.

"I think it looks like someone snapped it back," Gabriel volunteered his opinion. "Due to the bruises and the way this one cracked."

Dr. Miller looked at Stephanie. "That's a fair assessment. Is that what happened?"

"I fell," Stephanie said lamely.

Dr. Miller and Gabriel shared a look. "Well, I'm going to ask Mr. Boyd here to wrap your wrist and I'll give you something for the pain."

"Thank you," Stephanie said quietly.

"You're welcome," Dr. Miller said before leaving the room.

"It won't take me long to wrap this up for you," Gabriel said. "I'm pretty good at it."

Despite herself, Stephanie smiled. "You've---you've done a lot of these, have you?"

"Yeah," Gabriel said. "I've sort of acquired a reputation for casting."

"Well," Stephanie said as he removed the ice-pack from her wrist. "I only want the best doing something like this."

Gabriel set her wrist and then began to wrap it carefully.

Stephanie watched him and could not help but compare the way he was with her. So different from Tony, she thought.

"It's going to hurt," Gabriel told her, very gently pressing his fingers to her wrist. "But the pills Dr. Miller is prescribing you will help. Just take them as needed."

Stephanie nodded. "I will."

"Are you sure you're all right?" he asked her. "You know you can talk to me if something's wrong, Steph."

"Other than my wrist, I'm fine," she reassured him.

Gabriel looked at her for a long moment.

"How have you been?" Stephanie asked him.

"Busy," he said. "I haven't been to the restaurant in a few weeks."

"I know," Stephanie said softly. "I've missed seeing you."

He smiled ruefully. "I'll stop in again soon. Probably in the next few days. But I better not see you using this hand."

"Yes, sir," Stephanie said.

"I'll be there to check on you," he said putting his official face on.

Stephanie laughed. "Okay, I promise that I will rest my wrist. How--how long do you think it will be until it's okay?"

"Six to eight weeks," he told her. "Then we'll have to remove the cast and take another x ray."

The smile from Stephanie's face fell. There wasn't much she could do at work without the use of her wrist. At the moment, that job was her only source of income.

"Just be careful," Gabriel told her. "If you use it, you could damage it even more and need surgery."

Stephanie nodded wordlessly.

"Dr. Miller will just come in to check this over before we let you go," Gabriel told her.

Gabriel excused himself to go and find Dr. Miller. He knew that this visit to the ER would be an easy six hundred dollars. Money that he was pretty sure Stephanie did not have.

After he sent Dr. Miller over he stopped at the nurses' station. "Hey Peggy," he said. "Do you have the information for Stephanie- the broken wrist?"

"Yes," she replied. "Why?"

"I want her bill sent to me," Gabriel said.

Peggy raised an eyebrow, but nodded.

Gabriel didn't have the money himself, but for once, he would go to his father and ask.

"There's someone waiting for her in the waiting room," Peggy said to him. "He came in earlier."

"There is?" Gabriel asked. "I'll go talk to him..."

Gabriel walked over to the waiting area and spotted Stephanie's boyfriend sitting in the corner, looking bored and thumbing through a magazine.

"Tony, right?" he asked. "I met you at the restaurant."

Tony stood up. "Right. Look, how much longer is she going to be?"

"She's about finished," he said. "She has a broken wrist."

Tony nodded. "She's so clumsy, my Stephanie."

"Hmm..." Gabriel nodded. "Just see to it that she takes her pain medication as directed and that she doesn't do anything with that wrist for at least six weeks. She'll need to come back to have it checked out."

"Slipping in the shower," Tony shook his head. "Can you believe it?"

Gabriel raised an eyebrow. Stephanie had said she'd fallen, but she had not mentioned slipping in the shower.

"Just don't let her do anything with that wrist," he said again. "She'll be out in a minute."

"Thanks," Tony said to him.

Gabriel nodded. There was something fishy about this guy but he couldn't put his finger on what it was.

Stephanie was just exiting the examination room and she froze when she saw Tony.

"There she is," Tony pushed past Gabriel. "Come on baby..."

"What are you doing here?" Stephanie asked, lowering her voice.

"What are you talking about?" Tony put an arm around her. "I came here to make sure my girl is okay."

"No thanks to you," she said quietly.

Tony's face turned dark and his grip tightened.

"I just want to go home," Stephanie said.

"Fine," Tony said. He was silent as he guided her out the door. "I don't know how the hell you expect to pay for this."

Stephanie wondered the same thing, but she did not say anything. The last thing she wanted was to set him off again.

"You better not expect me to take care of it," he growled.

"I don't," Stephanie said. "I can manage."

Tony didn't bother to open the car door for her; he slid into the driver's seat. "What are you waiting for?" he snapped.

Stephanie used her good hand to open the door. Tears welled up in her eyes again at the terrible turn her life had taken.

You did it to yourself, she reminded herself. You decided to stay with him...

Stephanie closed her eyes and tried to imagine the life she wanted for herself.

She would live in a nice apartment or little house, and have a boyfriend or husband that was completely devoted to her and let her follow her dreams. Someone that would support her and not make her feel terrible about herself.

"I don't care about your wrist," Tony broke into her daydream. "You still have responsibilities around the house."

"I know," Stephanie said quietly.

"And you better never tell anyone how your wrist got broken," he said threateningly.

Stephanie nodded and stared out the window. She could tell that Gabriel had his doubts about what had happened. She just hoped he would drop it.

Back at the hospital, Gabriel was tending to another patient but couldn't stop his thoughts from returning to Stephanie. He could tell she was lying about how she'd broken her wrist and it was bothering him.

She said one thing and her boyfriend said it happened a completely different way. Why would she lie about this?

"Ouch!" his patient frowned. "I'm supposed to be getting a shot, not getting skewered."

"Sorry," Gabriel said hastily.

"Are you a doctor?" the patient asked.

"Intern," Gabriel said.

"I can tell," the girl sniffed.

"I can have someone else finish," Gabriel told her. "I'm very sorry, ma'am."

"Just do it," the girl waved her hand.

Gabriel smiled reassuringly at her. "Okay then..."

He finished up with her and was glad when Dr. Miller told him to go take a break.

Gabriel headed for the on-call room to grab a cup of coffee and give his father a call.

"Hey Dad," he said when Seamus answered.

"And you would be?" Seamus joked.

"Very funny," Gabriel said. "Have you got a minute?"

"Of course," Seamus replied. "What's on your mind, son?"

"You know that waitress Stephanie?" Gabriel asked.

"Yes," Seamus replied.

"She came in tonight with a broken wrist," Gabriel said. "And she has no insurance."

"Forward the bill to me and I'll take care of it," Seamus told him.

"I hate to ask--" Gabriel began.

"Its fine," Seamus interjected. "I don't mind. She's your friend and I'm happy to help."

"I really appreciate this," Gabriel said. "And I'll pay you back."

"No need," Seamus said.

'Yeah but--" Gabriel argued.

"I don't mind helping your friend if it's important to you," Seamus said. "All this time, I've tried to help you financially and you've always turned me down."

"I just feel bad for her," Gabriel said. "There's no way she can afford that bill."

"It's no problem, son," Seamus said. "I'm happy to help."

"Thanks," Gabriel said sincerely.

"You're very welcome," Seamus said. "Good to know I can help my son, the doctor."

"Intern," Gabriel corrected with a grin.

"Tell that to your grandparents," Seamus said. "My mum and dad are telling anyone who will listen about their grandson, the doctor."

Gabriel laughed. "I guess I should get used to hearing it."

"Too right," Seamus said. "We're all proud of you, son."

"Thanks Dad," Gabriel said. "I have to go, my break is almost done. I really appreciate your help with Steph."

I'll see you soon," Seamus said before ending the call.

Gabriel stuffed his phone back in his pocket and finished his coffee. He felt better now that he knew Stephanie's bill would be taken care of. He would feel even better if he knew what was really going on with her.

*** *** ***

Ashley had not seen or spoken to her two best friends since the day they'd left Hogwarts. Seeing Zander would just feel awkward
given what had happened between them and Ashley was still so angry at Brittany.

Kevin had arrived that morning and Ashley was thankful for the distraction. He had been so excited to see her and she
felt so guilty about that kiss with Zander.

But, she told herself, that was in the past. Zander had run off after Debra that night and for all she knew, they had made up after their argument.

Kevin had suggested a walk after breakfast and Ashley had jumped at the chance to spend some time with him.

They strolled down the beach, hands clasped together talking about plans for that summer. Ashley decided it was time to tell him of her art tour.

"Kev?" Ashley asked.

"Yeah," he asked, sending her a grin.

Ashley bit her bottom lip. "There's something I've been meaning to talk to you about..."

He squeezed her hand. "You sound kind of nervous."

"I'm not nervous," Ashley reassured him.

"You shouldn't be, around me." Kevin responded.

"I'm not," Ashley said turning to look at him, face to face. "I've been doing a lot of thinking about what I'm going to do the rest of the summer..."

"Are you going to join me?" he asked hopefully.

Ashley opened her mouth to respond to him, but he suddenly held up his hand and waved at someone. Ashley turned and saw the two people she least wanted to see.

"Oh no," she muttered.

Brittany practically sauntered over toward them with Zander hesitantly following behind her.

"Hey, Brittany," Kevin greeted her. "Zander, mate, how are you?"

Zander avoided looking at Ashley. "Fine," he replied quietly.

"I am wonderful," Brittany said loftily.

Kevin smiled. "Is that so?"

"My modelling shoot is in a few days," Brittany replied.

Kevin frowned. "You're still doing that?"

"Why wouldn't I be?" Brittany asked. "I'm going to be as famous as you."

"You checked to see if this agent was legit?" Kevin asked.

"It's fine," Brittany waved his comment away.

"She hasn't checked with anyone," Ashley said angrily.

"It's not for you to worry about," Brittany retorted.

"She's just concerned," Kevin said in Ashley's defence.

"Whatever," Brittany examined a mark on her arm.

"How about you, Zander?" Kevin asked. "You're awfully quiet."

Zander shrugged. "Brit can do what she likes."

"See?" Brittany asked. "It's not so hard to be supportive." She looked pointedly at Ashley.

Ashley glared right back at her. "It's harder to not stand back and try to protect your friends from making a huge mistake."

"It'll be even harder for you when you have to eat your words," Brittany shot back. "Little Miss Perfect. You know you make me sick."

"You know what?" Ashley asked, her green eyes blazing. "I hope you lose everything. I hope this bloke takes you for everything you've got. And we'll see how high and mighty you are once you've fallen!

"Whatever," Brittany said glaring at her. "Zander, let's go."

Ashley stepped back, her eyes still narrowed.

"Sorry mate," Kevin said to Zander.

Zander shrugged. "Guess we'll see you around, eh?"

"Yeah," Kevin nodded when Ashley did not reply. "Your girl around here as well then?"

"We broke up," Zander said simply.

Ashley's eyes grew large at this, but she remained silent.

Zander noticed her reaction but didn't say anything to her. "Yeah we had a sort of um... situation at the end of the year. And we broke up."

"Sorry to hear that," Kevin said sincerely.

"It's all right," Zander said. "She's not the girl for me."

Ashley finally looked up and caught his eye.

He turned a bit red. "I have to go. I'll see you later."

"See you," Kevin said.

Ashley was silent as she and Kevin walked away. "That was tense," Kevin remarked. "What's going on with you three?"

Ashley shrugged. "This whole thing with Brit."

"I can't believe she thinks that bloke isn't shady," Kevin said. "I see too many people like her get scammed."

"Well, you can add her name to the list," Ashley said. "She refuses to listen to reason and because we're not buying into it as well, we're standing in the way of her pursuing her dream."

"It's a shame she'd let your friendship be ruined over this," Kevin turned to look back at Brittany and Zander.

Ashley nodded. "Yeah."

He squeezed her hand again. "Let's not talk about them."

Ashley looked at him. "Um, as I was saying about the rest of this summer. August, to be exact..."

"Yeah?" he asked hopefully.

"Well, I was talking with one of my old art teachers earlier this year," Ashley told him. "And there's a travelling program that she's involved in. It starts in August and lasts over a year. You get to study in Italy, France, Greece, Russia..."

"Wow..." Kevin looked a little taken aback.

"It's the chance of a lifetime," Ashley told him.

"Sure sounds like it," Kevin said. "A whole year though..." he looked over at her. "I won't get to see you at all?"

"Well, there's some breaks," Ashley said. "And maybe some of the dates will coincide with your tour stops."

"Or I can come visit you in some of the more romantic cities," he said with a grin.

Ashley smiled back at him. "That's what I was thinking."

He leaned in to give her a kiss.

Ashley closed her eyes and had a flashback of her kiss with Zander.

It was so wrong, she told herself. She and Zander weren't going to be together.

"Ash?" Kevin asked breaking into her thoughts.

"Yeah?" she asked softly..

"Where'd you go just then?" he asked.

"What?" she asked.

"Just now," Kevin said. "When I kissed you. It seemed like you were a world away."

"I'm sorry," Ashley apologized, feeling immensely guilty. She had no right thinking of another bloke when she had a boyfriend as fantastic as Kevin.

"No worries," Kevin said hugging her tightly.

Ashley rested her chin on his shoulder and enjoyed the feel of his body pressed against hers. "You're good to me." she said.

"You make it easy," Kevin said softly.

Ashley closed her eyes as they kissed again.

Further down the beach, Zander watched and felt a surge of jealousy.

His feelings for Ashley hadn't stirred in years. He'd given up long ago. But after their stolen kiss in Binn's classroom, he felt things awaken once more.

"Have you heard a word I've said?" Brittany asked him, waving a hand in front of his face.

"What?" he asked.

Brittany rolled her eyes.

"Sorry," he apologised, but not really meaning it.

"You're not moping over that horrible Debra, are you?" Brittany asked him.

"No," he replied truthfully.

Brittany lay back on her blanket and closed her eyes. Zander turned and was relieved to see Ashley and Kevin were now out of sight.

"So what made you start talking to me again?" Zander asked his cousin.

"My mum," Brittany replied. "She told me to be nice to you."

"Wow," Zander rolled his eyes.

Brittany giggled. "And you haven't been that bad lately."

"There's a vote of confidence," he replied dryly.

"And you went up about twenty points in my book when you dumped that dish rag," Brittany said.

"It wasn't working out," Zander said. He wasn't about to tell his cousin what Debra had walked in on.

"She sure did not look too happy when we saw her at the station," Brittany said. "If looks could kill..."

"It's over between us," Zander said. "By the way I think you and Ash should make up."

"Not going to happen," Brittany said.

"You're going to let this end your friendship with her?" he asked incredulously.

"It's not me," Brittany said sitting up. "It's her! She's the one being completely unreasonable!"

"Come on," Zander said. "She's just worried about you."

"She has a funny way of showing it," Brittany said.

Zander sighed. "I just think you'd both be happier if you buried the hatchet."

"What about the two of you?" Brittany asked. "You've barely spoken. I mean, you sat with Evan and me on the train."

"Just preoccupied I guess," Zander said.

"Right," Brittany said sarcastically.

Zander didn't answer her. He didn't want to argue with her anymore.

He decided to go for a swim to clear his head.

He got up and headed into the water. It felt cold against his hot skin.

He thought of Ashley on the beach in her sundress...with Kevin.

He realised he was scanning the beach looking for the couple.

He had seen the look on her face when he had told Kevin about breaking up with Debra.

There had to be something there. She had to have some sort of feelings for him.

But, she was with Kevin and he'd seen them kissing.

He dove into the waves and tried to push the memory of when they were thirteen out of his head.

On the beach, Ashley was walking with Kevin. She was glad that he was supportive of her decision.

"What do you want to do later?" he asked her.

Ashley looked thoughtfully at him. "I don't know. What do you want to do?"

"We could go to the pier," he suggested. "Have some alone time..."

"That'd be great," Ashley said with a grin.

He slid an arm around her waist. "I wish I had longer to stay here with you."

"I know," Ashley said. Because of his tour, he only had three days here in Brighton with her.

"And once your year is up," he said. "We'll have more time to spend together."

Ashley nodded. "Yes."

"How about ice cream?" he nodded towards the stand.

"That sounds great," Ashley said.

Kevin gave her a kiss on the cheek. "I know what you like."

Ashley smiled. "Oh yeah?"

"Half vanilla half chocolate," Kevin replied with a grin.

"My favourite," Ashley said, squeezing his hand.

"Go ahead and sit down and I'll be right back," he said, jogging away.

Ashley walked over to the bench and sat down.

She stared out at the waves for a moment and took in a deep breath of the salty sea air. This place was relaxing.

"Hello," Katie said sitting down beside her sister and grinning at her.

"Hey," Ashley smiled at her. "What's up?"

"Nothing," Katie said. She looked around. "Where's Kevin?"

"Getting us some ice cream," Ashley replied.

"Oh," Katie said, grinning.

"You're awfully smug about something," Ashley said.

"Me?" Katie asked pulling an innocent face.

"Yes," Ashley said. "That Slytherin cunning of yours..."

"I'm just enjoying the lovely weather," Katie said.

"Uh huh," Ashley said. "Did you do something to Caroline?"

"No," Katie replied. "Why?"

"Just asking," Ashley said. "She's been steering clear of you."

Katie rolled her eyes. "I still can't believe she's bunking with Emma. She and I always share a room."

Ashley shook her head. "I'm not even getting into it with you."

"She never can stay mad at me for long," Katie said.

Ashley was spared from replying as Kevin came back over. Katie's eyes lit up like a Christmas tree.

"Hiya, Katie," Kevin said smiling at her. "I didn't know you were here. I would have brought you ice cream."

"It's okay," Katie stretched, arching her back like a cat.

Kevin smiled at her. "You're welcome to have mine."

"Maybe just a bite," Katie said coyly. "You're too sweet."

Kevin handed her the cone. "Here you go. It's yours."

Ashley nudged her sister. "Katie..."

Katie had nearly forgotten her sister was there. "Yes?"

"It was nice of Kevin to give you his ice cream," Ashley said. "But don't you have something else to do?"

Katie sighed. "Yes, I suppose."

"I'll see you around, Katie." Kevin told her with a grin.

Katie winked at him. "Yes, you sure will."

Ashley rolled her eyes as her sister sauntered away, her hips swaying. "She thinks she's about twenty one."

"Well, I only have eyes for one Malfoy sister," Kevin said.

Ashley smiled at him. "We can share my ice cream if you want."

"Sure," Kevin said with a grin.

"I'm sorry Katie took yours," she said. "And if we weren't in public I'd just conjure up another spoon."

Kevin took her spoon and took a bite.

Ashley leaned against him and he put an arm around her. "I am glad you're here," she said softly.

"Me too," Kevin said. "I've missed you."

Ashley put all thoughts of Zander out of her mind. She was happy to have Kevin here, especially since they had so little time together.

Back at the beach house, Katie saw Olivia and Adam playing together on the patio. "What are you two up to?" Katie asked with a grin.

"Snap," Olivia said, throwing all her card down and making them explode in Adam's face.

Olivia grinned and clapped her hands together. "Beat you, Adam!"

"Livvie," Adam said in dismay. "You did it wrong."

"Did not!" Olivia protested. She looked to Katie for support.

"It's okay," Katie sat down.

"You don't throw all your cards down at once, Livvie!" Adam said shaking his head. "You can do that with Dad, but not with me!"

"Can too," Olivia said.

"Says who?" Adam asked.

"Me," Olivia replied. "Em lets me play."

"Em LETS you win," Adam corrected her.

"Does not," Olivia said.

"Does too," Adam shot back. He stood up. "I'm going to find Noah and Aidan."

"I'll play with you Livvie," Katie told the little girl.

Olivia grinned at her. "Okay!"

Katie smiled back at her. "We can go for a walk if you want."

Olivia stood up. "Kay. Need to tell Sissy."

"Maybe she'll want to come," Katie said.

Olivia reached for her hand.

Katie grinned at the little girl. Olivia was so sweet. She wished her parents had had a third child so she could have a younger sister.

"Sissy!" Olivia called out once they entered the house. "Sissy!"

"Are you okay Livvie?" Caroline came down the stairs.

"Walk, Sissy," Olivia said smiling at her. "With Katie!"

"I'll take you for a walk if that's what you want," Caroline said, ignoring Katie.

"Katie too," Olivia said. "But, no Adam."

"We should go look for Adam," Caroline said. "Come on Livvie."

"I told her I'd take her for a walk," Katie said. "I was hoping you'd go with us."

"You don't have to," Caroline said coolly. "She's my sister. Probably someday a Gryffindor."

"I want to," Katie said. "Right, Livvie?"

Olivia grinned.

"Fine," Caroline relented. She hoped Katie knew that she was only doing this because of Olivia.

"Yay," Olivia ran to her sister.

Caroline grinned and picked her up. "I take it you're ready to go?"

Olivia nodded and put her arms around her sister. "Where's Daddy?"

"He went fishing with Josh and Uncle RJ," Caroline said.

"I miss him," Olivia said as Caroline carried her outside.

"I know, but he'll be back before lunch," Caroline promised. "You were still asleep when they left this morning."

"Kay," Olivia said. "Where's Mummy?"

"There," Caroline said motioning down the beach, where Allison was sitting with Lizzy and Julie. "Let's go and tell them we're going for a walk."

"Come Katie!" Olivia called back.

Katie grinned and followed them down.

Caroline walked quickly, hoping that her former friend would lose interest.

"Mummy!" Olivia called out. "Katie and Sissy gonna take me walking!"

"They are?" Allison asked in surprise. "Together?"

Katie nodded. "Like old times, Aunt Allie."

Allison looked at her oldest daughter who didn't seem too pleased. "Caroline?"

"It's what Livvie wants," Caroline said.

Allison smiled. "Don't go far. We're going to head back soon to have lunch."

Caroline set Olivia down and the little girl took Caroline's and Katie's hands. "Let's go!"

Caroline smiled at her baby sister as they headed down the beach. She loved spending time with Olivia.

"Adam was mad at Olivia because she beat him at Exploding Snap," Katie said to Caroline.

Caroline shrugged. "He's not hard to beat."

"Adam said Em lets me win," Olivia said.

"She does not," Caroline said. "Emma hates to lose."

"Always has," Katie said. "Em would never let you beat her, Livvie."

"I'm good," Olivia laughed.

"Daddy will be happy to hear about it," Caroline said. "Boys always hate to lose."

"But girls love to win," Olivia quoted Emma.

"Yes, we do," Caroline and Katie said at the same time.

Katie smiled at Caroline. "Jinx."

Caroline looked over at her. "I'm not buying you a coke."

Katie giggled. "That's what we always said."

Caroline smiled wistfully. "Yeah, we did."

"I miss those days," Katie said.

"I can't do this, Katie," Caroline said. "I'm not going to be your friend here and then have you treat me like dirt when we're at school."

"It's not that I don't want to talk to you," Katie said. "But Slytherin... we have to stick together in there. And they don't always understand when we're friendly with the other houses."

"If I'm your friend, it shouldn't matter what house I'm in," Caroline pointed out.

"I know but--" Katie began to argue.

Caroline held up her hand. "We've known each other since we were babies. I never would have treated you the way that you treated me my first year."

"I was just a kid then," Katie replied.

Caroline had missed her former best friend. A smile played at her lips at Katie's logic. "Katie..."

"See?" Katie asked. "You miss me as much as I've missed talking to you."

"She has," Olivia chimed in.

"Livvie," Caroline laughed. "How do you know?"

"I know," Olivia said grinning up at her.

Caroline scooped her baby sister up.

"She's pretty smart," Katie said with a grin.

"She is," Caroline agreed, giving Olivia a kiss on the cheek.

"So," Katie said. "What do you say, Caroline? We can try and be friends again?"

Caroline hesitated. She knew the deal would be off the moment they went back to school, but she was bored without Mia here.

"Okay," Caroline said finally.

Katie's grin grew wide. "Really?"

"Yes," Caroline said smiling back at her. "You goofball."

"Goofball," Olivia giggled.

"Uh oh," Katie laughed. "We're being a bad influence."

Caroline set her sister down. "She's too sweet to say anything bad."

Katie laughed as Olivia started twirling in the sand. "She's just like you, Caroline."

"She's got a little of all three of us in her," Caroline commented. "She's sensitive like Adam, mischievous like Emma, and--"

"...sweet like her big sister," Katie said. "We're going to have so much fun with her this summer."

"I hope so," Caroline replied.

"I bet your sister's happy that Kevin came to visit her."

Katie grinned at the mention of Kevin. "Yeah, she's pretty stoked."

"You seemed really happy to see him too," Caroline said. "He's a pretty nice guy."

"He is," Katie agreed. "And my Dad really likes him, too."

"He's really cute," Caroline confessed.

Katie nudged her as they followed Olivia down the beach. "And speaking of cute, what's this I hear about you and Ewan Cavanaugh, Miss Weasley?"

"He's just a friend," Caroline said.

"Uh-huh," Katie teased.

"That's all," Caroline replied.

"Well, is there someone you have your eye on?" Katie asked.

"No," Caroline said. She may have agreed to be friendly with Katie again but she still didn't fully trust the other girl. Not just yet.

"I have a boyfriend," Olivia announced.

Caroline laughed. "What?"

"Don't hold out on us, Livvie," Katie said. "Who is it?"

"Rafe," she replied.

"Ellie and Livvie got it bad for Rafe," Katie joked.

"Does Ellie know this?" Caroline teased her sister.

Olivia shook her head. "No. Mummy does!"

"I see," Caroline laughed.

"Your secret is safe with us," Katie promised.

"You can tell," Olivia said. "It's okay."

"Rafe's the little heartbreaker already," Caroline said to Katie.

"Quite the stud," Katie agreed.

Caroline laughed. "Come on. We'd better head back."

Olivia reached for her sister's hand and toddled unsteadily over some of the pebbly sand.

"Okay, Livvie?" Caroline asked.

Olivia nodded. "Shell."

"We should pick some and help her make a necklace," Katie said. "Like we used to do with Maddie."

"I remember that," Caroline said. "But we don't have a bucket."

"After lunch," Katie said. "We can look for some."

"For me?" Olivia asked.

"Of course, you," Caroline said. "But...only if you can beat Katie and me back to the house..."

Olivia squealed and began running up towards the house.

Katie laughed as she and Caroline followed Olivia, deliberately slowing their stride so the little girl could win. The summer, Katie thought, was definitely starting out right. Caroline had forgiven her and Kevin was here.

And she would make him notice her if it was the ONLY thing she managed to do all summer.

****************

Questions from the last two chapters...

(1) I have to admit that I like Katie's character but she is kind of a beast. Is there any type of comeuppance planned for all her attitude and plotting?

Katie is an interesting and complex character that we are having a lot of fun in writing. You'll have to keep reading to see what happens.

(2) My question is whether this Josie lady is going to ruin Harry and Hermione's relationship how long is she here for cause I don't think I like her very much.

Josie is a troublemaker for Harry and will be around for a little while. But one would hope that H/Hr's relationship is too strong by now to be ruined by one jealous ex...

(3) I know you've written a TON of wedding scenes now. So does that mean we wont be seeing Darla & Liam's wedding? Or RJ &Audrey's for that matter?

You'll see something for both of them----we have not written their weddings yet but we have some things planned!

(4) I think I read in a previous chapter that Drew and Brian were thinking about having more kids. Will that ever happen?

Probably not. There are SO many kids already, and Chloe enjoys being a little princess.

(5) Are Gabe and Alexa over for good? As in that you have decided 100% that they will not end up together.

Alexa and Gabe are over. They do remain friends however, as their final breakup was not a bad one.

(6) When will we see Katie dating? Anytime soon?

VERY soon!!!


(7) And ...what is the biggest argument you've had while writing the story?

I don't think we ever argued, but we have had differences of opinion on what couple belonged together---as many of you know one of us was Team Hans and the other was Team Liam. And we went back and forth over the paternity of Saffron's baby, Ellie. And the entire Gabe/Alexa/RJ triangle, too. Amy was Team RJ and Heaven was Team Gabe.

(8) We've always seen the potter's dote on saffron the most out of their kids. Julie has always been one of my favorite characters and it seems like it's been a really, really long time since she's had a problem that her family's helped her with. she's always been more so the rock helping everyone else. will she ever get anymore face time? I mean, I'm sure she can't be living a completely perfect life with Nick.

Julie is one of our favorite characters to write as well. Her biggest conflict was back in Hillsdale Nights when she and Nick faced the opposition that they did to their relationship. She is probably the most grounded character we have written. Her biggest role in the story right now is supporting her husband who is still grieving over Draco's death and helping her daughters.


(9)What's the stuff going down with Katie? I love her character too, and before the jump it seemed like she had some promise as a bratty but still passionate character. are you guys just gonna turn her into another Ginny type or is there more to her than meets the eye?

Definitely more to her than you think!

(10)I don't know if you two have ever been to Brighton... but I was just there recently and trust me.. there's no sandcastles there lol Brighton is a completely rocky beach!

We had to take artistic liberty with that one- we know there aren't any houses right there and no sand, but we just had to stretch the truth a lot on that one

(11) Are you bringing David Wright back?
Yes

(12) Are you ever going to do the photo shoot with Brittany?
You'll see more on that soon

(13) Are Katie and Caroline going to be friends again?
More on that soon as well

(14)When is this story gonna end?
Never, we're going to write it even when we're on our deathbeds

344. Chapter 344 Josephine Works Her Magic

Authors' note: More of Josephine this chapter as she tries to get under Neville's skin and Gabriel arrives in Brighton. We hope you enjoy the chapter and please ask you to review! And if you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to ask! You guys have asked some great ones so far!

Neville was looking forward to joining his friends and family in Brighton in a few days but for now he was still hard at work in London. He was organizing some case files for an upcoming raid when he realised what time it was. He liked to take a few hours a couple of times a week to go spend with his parents, even though they had no idea who he was.
He gathered his cloak and a few things and was about to head out to St. Mungos.

Josie appeared in his doorway. "Oh, hello, Longbottom. I was looking for Kingsley..."

"He stepped out with some trainees," Neville said. "Did you have a question?"

Josie shook her head. "Nothing that can't wait."

"Are you sure?" Neville asked. "I might be able to help you."

Josie sat down at Kingsley's desk. "I might be able to help you."

"What?" Neville asked.

Josephine leaned back in the chair and studied him. "Aren't you tired of it all, Longbottom?"

"Tired of what?" Neville asked, glancing at his watch.

"Being in his shadow," Josie said. "I remember in your training class, he was in first and you were in second. And even now, it's pretty much a given that he's going to get the job. You and I both know it."

"Harry?" Neville asked in surprise.

"Of course, Harry," Josie said. "The Golden Boy himself. The Boy Who Lived. He's going to ride that slice of history right into the job of Head Auror."

"Why do you hate him?" Neville asked. "He's been a good friend to me."

"I can certainly see that," Josie said thoughtfully. "You're using your friendship with him, too."

"I beg your pardon?" Neville asked.

"You're scheduled to be here until six, right?" Josie said studying her nails. "And yet here you are...about to leave..."

"I'm just going to visit my parents," Neville said coolly.

Josie nodded. "I see..."

"Not that it's anyone's concern," Neville said,

"Of course not," Josie said. She watched as Neville gathered his things.

Neville glanced over at her again. "Yes?" he asked impatiently.

"Nothing," Josie said. "I just can see it in your eyes. You want this. You want to step out from behind his shadow. He's nothing more than a figurehead, Neville. You and I both know it."

"So what if I do want it?" Neville asked. "If Harry's the better man for the job he'll get the job."

"He's not," Josie said. "And you and I both know it. I mean, look at him. You and I are here working hard. And where is he? At the beach on holiday."

"I'm going to the beach as well," he said icily.

"Must be nice," Josie commented as she stood up.

"Yes, it is nice to spend time with friends and family," Neville retorted.

"Well," Josie said looking at him with a smile. "You enjoy your ...holiday."

"I will," Neville snapped.

Josie tossed her hair over her shoulder. "Ta."

Neville watched her go. He wondered if Harry knew she seemed to be plotting against him.

She was quite calculating and seemed to be studying the dynamics of this office trying to find any advantage.

He made up his mind to warn Harry about her when he got to the beach house. For now, his parents were first and foremost on his mind.

Neville made it to St. Mungos a few minutes later and checked in at the front desk. He headed to his parents' room with a heavy heart and a bouquet of flowers for his mother. He had gotten them a private room, much nicer than the one they had occupied previously. It took a big chunk out of his pay, but he didn't care.

Neville entered the room and saw his father resting and his mother was awake, staring into space.

"Hi Mum," he said softly.

Alice turned slowly and looked over at him. Her expression was completely blank.

"Hey," he said again. "How are you?"

She did not answer him and Neville turned away, busying himself with putting her flowers in a vase.

It was difficult seeing them like this, after the way they had been.

Neville sat back down. "We all miss you, you know? It feels like there's this hole in our family now."

Alice sat down across from him on the edge of her bed.

"They're all at the beach house now," Neville said. "Em's getting ready to go to Hogwarts. Can you believe that? She's putting on a brave face, but she's a little scared to leave home. And Hannah...she just finished her first year. You'd be so proud, Mum."

Alice hummed under her breath and stared just past her son at a spot on the wall. Neville sighed in frustration.

"I'm so sorry," Neville told her. "I'm so very sorry..."

Alice's eyes focused on him for just a moment.

Neville hesitantly reached for her hand.

Alice drew back just a bit, making a noise in her throat.

Neville had not meant to frighten her. "It's me, Mum. Neville."

Alice stared at him for another few moments before relaxing.

"I'm up for a promotion," Neville told her.

Alice looked at him as if trying to place him in her jumbled thoughts.

"I really want this, Mum," Neville said. "More than anything."

Alice hummed under her breath again and looked over to where Frank was stirring in his bed.

Neville followed her gaze. "Well, not as much as I'd like to have you and Dad back."

Frank pushed back the cover on his bed and started to get up but froze when he saw Neville.

"Dad?" Neville asked.

Frank's hands shook as he slowly swung his feet over the side of the bed.

Neville hurried over to him. "Let me help you..."

Frank let his son help him to his feet and over to the loo.

"It's okay, Dad," Neville said quietly.

Frank let go of Neville's arm and closed the door behind him. Neville sighed and turned back to his mother.

Neville wondered if they even knew he was here. It might not mean anything to them, but it meant the world to him.

He felt a tugging on his cloak and turned his attention to his mother. Alice held one of the flowers he'd brought in her hand.

Neville smiled at her.

Alice put the flower up to her nose and closed her eyes.

"Your favourite," Neville said to her.

Alice turned and walked back to her bed, still smelling the flower.

Neville smiled again; glad to see that the flower seemed to have improved her mood. "You should see your garden. Hannah's helping Cho with it."

Alice looked up, seemingly interested.

Neville could still remember how happy Alice had been to have that garden with Hannah.

His granddaughter dutifully tended to it and he had gone over a few times to help Frankie while Hannah was away at school.

"I'll bring some pictures next time I come," Neville promised.

Alice hummed again, but a happier tune this time. Frank opened the door and came out of the loo, his gaze travelling back and forth between Alice and Neville.

Neville looked at his father.

Frank gazed at him warily as he moved over to sit next to his wife.

Neville watched the two of them, unsure of what to say or do.

He remembered a time when they were living with him and Cho, and he had been hurt during a raid. He'd woken up in a hospital room much like this one.

Neville remembered lying in that bed, hearing muffled voices. He felt someone stroking his hand and he heard his mother's soft voice as she sang to him.

"What?" he asked blearily. "Where?"

"Neville!" Alice exclaimed happily. She looked over her shoulder. "Frank! He's awake!"

Frank was by his son's bedside in a moment. "Neville... you had us worried, son."

"Where---where am I?" Neville asked weakly.

"St. Mungos," Alice said. "You were injured on a raid."

Neville struggled to sit up. Frank hurried to help him. "Take it easy, son."

"You got hit with quite a spell," Alice said. "Harry brought you here."

"I feel like someone dropped a house on me," Neville joked.

"As long as you're awake," Alice said.

"I'll get Cho," Frank said.

Neville pushed himself up so he was sitting and Alice propped a pillow behind his back.

"You scared me to death, you know that," Alice chastised.

"Sorry Mum," Neville said.

"Don't ever do it again," Alice said smiling at him.

"I won't," Neville smiled at his mother.

"My little boy," Alice said softly. "Not so little anymore."

"Not for a long time," Neville agreed.

"You will always be my little boy," Alice told him. "No matter how old you get."

They were words he liked hearing, even though he was a grandfather himself.

"How are you feeling?" Alice asked him.

"All right just sore," he replied as Frank came back in with Cho and a healer.

"Neville!" Cho exclaimed happily.

"Hi love," Neville said as his wife flew to his side. "Sorry to have worried you."

"The important thing is you're okay," Cho said giving him a kiss.

"I'm going to run a few tests," the healer said. "But we'll see about getting you out of here as soon as possible."

"Thank you," Alice told the healer. "We want to take him home."

Neville let his head fall back on the pillow and regarded his parents and wife. "This is a change," he said. "Before, it was always me watching you in the bed."

"Well, it's not so much fun on this side," Frank said.

"No it's not," Alice agreed.

Neville smiled at his mother. "I'm okay now, Mum. No need to worry."

"I certainly can't help but worry about you," Alice said.

"We're mothers," Cho said. "It's in our genetics to worry. Right, Alice?"

"Absolutely," Alice put an arm around her daughter in law. "And we'll fuss over him when he's home later, too."

"I could get used to that," Neville joked.

"I'll cook dinner for you," Cho teased.

Neville's smile faltered. "No thank you, love. You're many things, but a good cook is not one of them."

Cho shook her head and Alice laughed. "To think I was glad you woke up," she swatted at him.

Neville laughed, but it hurt too much.

"Are you all right?" Frank asked.

Neville nodded. "It only hurts when I laugh."

"No one say anything funny," Frank deadpanned.

Alice shook her head. "Frank!"

"I'll be all right," Neville said. "I've felt worse."

The healer came in and asked them to leave so he could perform his tests. Cho gave Neville a kiss and left to tell everyone that he was okay. Alice and Frank lingered for a moment. Alice leaned over and kissed her son's cheek. "I love you, Neville."

"Thanks Mum," Neville said gratefully. "I love you both."

In the present, Neville looked over at his parents. Alice was still holding her flower and Frank sat beside her looking at the floor. Neville whispered goodbye and grabbed his cloak. He was nearly to the door, when he felt someone tap him on the shoulder.

Frank stood there, staring at him. "Yeah?" Neville asked hopefully. "Is there something you need, Dad?"

Frank's hand trembled as he held it out to Neville's face. Frank patted Neville's face. He mumbled something Neville could not understand.

"You can tell me whatever it is," Neville encouraged.

"Son," Frank whispered.

"That’s right," Neville said. "I’m your son."

Frank smiled at him.

"It's good to see you, Dad." Neville said.

Frank gave him a hug and Neville felt tears well up in his eyes.

"I love you too, Dad." Neville managed.

Frank let him go and walked back over to Alice.

Neville watched them for a few more moments before slipping out the door. He smiled the entire way out of the hospital.

*** *** ***

It was quiet the next morning, save for Edward's cries. Saffron let Andrew sleep since he had gotten up earlier that evening with their son. Saffron went into the nursery and smiled at her son who was standing up in his crib. He held out his hands.

"Good morning, handsome." she whispered, picking him up and holding him close.

Edward cried into her shoulder. Saffron patted his back in comforting fashion.

"You sound hungry," Saffron said. "Come on, Mummy will get you something to eat."

"Kay," Edward whispered.

Saffron kissed the side of his head as she carried him into the kitchen.

She was surprised to see Gabriel sitting with Seamus and Lavender in the kitchen. "Aunt Lav! When did you guys get here?"

"Just a little while ago," Lavender said. "Ooooh, is that little Edward?"

"This is him," Saffron said. "He just woke me up."

"Glad it wasn't us," Gabriel said with a grin.

Saffron set Edward in his chair and then turned to give him a hug. "It would have been a welcome surprise! I missed you, Gabe!"

"I've missed you too," Gabriel replied. "I'm sorry I haven't written more."

"It's okay," Saffron reassured him. "How long are you going to be here?"

"A week," Gabriel replied. "Then I have to get back."

"We had to force him out of the states," Seamus teased.

"And he's got a new girlfriend," Lavender sat back as Saffron got Edward some cereal.

Gabriel rolled his eyes. "Lavender, we're just dating. It's nothing serious."

"Ooooh," Saffron said. "What's her name?"

"Melanie," Lavender replied before Gabriel could.

"She's in my classes at school," Gabriel said. "And we're at the hospital together."

"Ooooh," Saffron said setting the bowl of cereal in front of her son. "That sounds romantic."

"Not really," Gabriel said. "But it's still pretty new."

"We're going to head to our room to freshen up," Lavender said kissing Saffron on the cheek. "Give you two some time to catch up on things."

"See you in a bit," Saffron watched as Lavender and Seamus left the kitchen. She went to get her son some milk. "Tell me more about Melanie."

Gabriel shrugged. "There's not too much to tell. She's fun."

"What does she look like?" Saffron pressed.

"Tall, blonde," Gabriel replied.

"Ooooh," Saffron grinned. "The California girl."

Gabriel laughed. "And she works as hard as I do."

"So two workaholics," Saffron said as Edward held a piece of cereal out to her.

Saffron grinned and took a bite. Gabriel laughed. "Yeah, something like that."

Saffron leaned back in her chair, her eyes on her son. "It's funny how so much has changed in just a few years."

"Yeah, look at you," Gabriel said. "A mom."

"Of two, no less," Saffron said. "But I love it."

"Crowded house again this year?" Gabriel asked.

"Yeah," Saffron nodded. "It feels like there are more kids every year."

"Is Lexie here?" Gabriel asked.

Saffron shook her head. "No. She rang me last night. She's in Canada."

"Our little world traveller," Gabriel said, shaking his head.

"I know," Saffron replied. "She loves it though, and I am so proud of her."

"Me too," Gabriel said. "I was looking forward to seeing her."

"She said she was going to write to you," Saffron told him.

Gabriel nodded and watched as Edward happily ate his cereal.

"He's a cute little guy," Gabriel said as Edward looked over at him.

"Mirror image of his father," Saffron said proudly.

"And what about Ellie?" he asked. "You?"

Saffron laughed. "She's sweeter."

"Thank goodness," Gabriel quipped.

Saffron threw a piece of cereal at him. "Very funny."

"Mine," Edward pointed to it.

"There's his favourite word," Saffron said with a grin.

Gabriel laughed as he put the cereal on Edward's tray. "There you go."

"Tank," Edward said.

"Good boy," Saffron smoothed his hair back.

There was the sound of a loud crash from upstairs and then giggles. Ellie and Gwyn scurried into the kitchen. The two little girls dove under the table just as RJ stumbled into the kitchen.

"All right," he said. "Did you lot see two little gigglers running in here?"

"What happened?" Saffron asked.

"Aud and I were about to get up when we found Ellie and Gwyn hiding at the edge of our bed." RJ replied.

"The devilish duo," Saffron said. "What was the loud crash we heard?"

"He fell out of the bed," Audrey said sleepily.

Saffron laughed.

"Not funny," RJ said. He knelt down and looked at the two giggling girls. "Come on out here, rug rats."

"We didn't do anything," Ellie said, pulling her most innocent face.

"We just wanted to say hi," Gwyn said.

"I'll say you did," RJ replied.

Audrey rubbed at her eyes. "As you can tell, he's not a morning person."

"Or an afternoon or evening person," Saffron cracked.

RJ tried to stand up to say something to Saffron but bumped his head on the table, causing the two little girls to giggle even harder.

"Oh RJ," Saffron shook her head. "You shouldn't try to do anything before you eat in the morning."

RJ stood up and rubbed the back of his head. He saw Gabriel. "How hard did I hit my head? What are you doing here>?"

"I'm here for a week to visit," Gabriel said, amused. "How are you?"

"Grumpy," Audrey answered for him.

Gabriel laughed. "I'll probably go sleep for a little while soon. It's pretty early in the morning for me, technically."

Ellie and Gwyn climbed out from under the table. "Mummy, Gwynnie and me are hungry."

"I bet you are," Saffron replied. "I'll make you something but first you should say hello to Gabe."

Ellie turned and looked uncertainly at the man sitting at the table.

"Hi Ellie," Gabriel said. "You've met me once or twice before."

"Hi," Ellie said shyly.

"Go give him a hug," Saffron urged.

Ellie walked over to him.

"How old are you now?" Gabriel asked the little girl.

"Four," Ellie replied, holding up four fingers.

"Wow," he said. "I remember when you were just born."

Ellie smiled. "Really?"

"I sure do," Gabriel said. "You've gotten so big now."

"I'm going to be five soon," Ellie told him. "And I'm going to get a bike."

"Me too," Gwyn replied.

RJ picked up his niece and tickled her side. "Not if you keep waking up your Uncle RJ, Gwyn."

Gwyn shrieked with laughter. "Stop!"

"Or what?" RJ asked grinning at her. "Hmmm?"

"I'll tell my daddy," Gwyn said, still giggling.

"Like I'm scared of him," RJ said setting her down.

"He says you're scared of my mummy," Gwyn replied.

Audrey laughed and set a cup of coffee before her boyfriend. "That's true, Gwyn."

"It is not," RJ snorted.

Saffron laughed. "It is too."

"Is too what?" the woman in question asked, coming into the kitchen.

"These jokers think I'm afraid of you," RJ said.

"You are," Maddie replied.

Gwyn toddled over to her mother and held up her arms.

"Good morning baby," Maddie lifted her up and kissed her cheek.

"I'm not scared of anything or anyone," RJ scoffed.

"You used to be scared of me," Saffron said. "You can't deny it either."

"Whatever," RJ said dismissively.

Saffron laughed. "Oh those were the days..."

Audrey stifled a laugh.

"So," Saffron said after getting some orange juice for the kids. "Anything new on the wedding plans?"

"I think my mum knows more than I do at the moment," Audrey said. "She's hit the ground running so to speak."

Saffron nodded. "Well you know if there's anything I can do, just ask."

"I'll take you up on that," Audrey said.

The rest of the house began stirring and everyone started trickling in to have breakfast/

Audrey sat down beside her fiancé and rested her head on his shoulder. "Feeling better now?"

"I'm all right," RJ said as he took a few pieces of bacon.

"The girls were only joking," Audrey said.

"I know," RJ replied. "I just don't like mornings."

"Someday, it might be our children waking us up," Audrey told him.

"True," RJ smiled lazily at her. "But then again... our kids would be perfect."

Audrey laughed. "Of course."

"Sleep until we want them to," RJ said

"No dirty nappies," Audrey said.

"We'll leave those for Saffy," RJ answered.

"I heard that!" Saffron chimed in.

"I meant for you to," RJ returned.

"Hilarious," Saffron said, shaking her head.

"Come on," Audrey tugged on her fiancé’s hand. "Let's go outside."

RJ smiled and stood up. "We'll see you lot later."

They went outside and leaned against the railing. "What a lovely morning," Audrey said, closing her eyes.

"Except for how we were woken up, I agree," RJ said with a grin.

Audrey nudged him. "It wasn't that bad... the girls are so cute."

RJ chuckled. "That's the reason I didn't get as upset."

"And they're to be my nieces too," Audrey said. "Sooner or later."

"They already love you," RJ said. "Almost as much as I do."

Audrey grinned as she turned to give him a kiss.

"I love you," RJ said before pressing his lips to hers.

"I love you too," Audrey said. "You know... I keep thinking of that first time we came here. When I found out about you having magical powers."

"Oh, when Sassy in there almost blew it for me?" RJ asked.

"If I recall it wasn't Saffron but that bloke Sean," Audrey said. "And I just didn't know what to think. I never knew any of that existed."

"And now all these years later, you still haven't run away," RJ commented.

"Not this time," Audrey slid her arms around him.

"I love you, Aud," RJ said again.

"What do you say we sneak out on the boat later?" Audrey asked. "Just us."

RJ grinned. "I like the way you think..."

"Of course you do," Audrey said.

While RJ and Audrey enjoyed the warm weather outside, Gabriel was upstairs trying to get settled in his room. It never ceased to amaze him how small this house looked from the outside, yet how many rooms it actually had inside.

He was certain it had to do with magic. He unpacked his clothing and shoved the articles into his drawers.

His mobile phone beeped and Gabriel picked it up. It was a text message from Melanie.

"Can't believe you went for a week in the UK without me," he read aloud. "Missing you already..."

Gabriel smiled. Melanie was fun and completely uncomplicated. They had a lot in common.

Of course, the fact that they were both hard workers intrigued him too. Melanie was as serious about becoming a doctor as he was.

For the first time, he had a girlfriend that he did not have to apologise to for not being able to take her out for a date because he had to study.

Gabriel found that his thoughts also turned to Stephanie. She was also a hard worker, and ever since she'd shown up at the hospital with a broken wrist she had been on his mind.

He had not seen her since that day. The manager at the restaurant told him he had made her take a couple of weeks off to rest her wrist.

He was glad for it, but realised he had no way of getting in touch with her unless she was at work. Gabriel couldn't help but worry about her. There was something about her boyfriend that he didn't like at all.

"All settled?" Seamus asked from the doorway.

"Yeah," Gabriel said. "I think so. I'm probably going to just sleep for a few hours."

Seamus nodded. "Lavender's already kipping."

Gabriel nodded. "Dad... thanks again for helping out with Stephanie. I should be used to it, but I couldn't believe the amount when the bill showed up."

"It's no problem," Seamus said. "I was happy to help."

"I don't think she knows yet that we paid it for her," Gabriel said. "I haven't seen her since that day."

"She's probably too proud to acknowledge it," Seamus said thoughtfully.

"I just hope she's all right," Gabriel mumbled.

"You're really worried about her," Seamus said.

"She's a friend," Gabriel nodded. "Of course I'd worry."

Seamus nodded. "Well, perhaps you should check on her."

"I don’t' know how," Gabriel said. "I don't have her cell or her address."

"Well, lucky for you, you have a famous director for a father," Seamus grinned. "What's her last name and I'll have Taryn get it for us."

"It's Flynn," Gabriel replied.

"Give me just a couple of minutes," Seamus said reaching for his phone.

"Thanks," Gabriel said, amazed at the power of Hollywood.

It only took a few minutes, but Taryn had managed to find Stephanie's address and telephone number.

"That's incredible," Gabriel replied. "I'll have to wait until later to call her though. I can't believe Taryn got this information at the time of night it is in California."

"That's why I keep her around," Seamus said.

"Thank you," Gabriel said, entering Stephanie's number into his phone and saving it.

There was another knock on the door and Gabriel turned to see a red-haired girl staring at him. His face broke into a grin as he recognized her. "Emma Weasley!"

"Gabe!" Emma exclaimed. "When did you get here?"

"Just this morning," Gabriel told her. "Last time I saw you, you were five, I believe."

"It's been TOO long!" Emma ran forward to give him a hug. "Where have you been?"

"Trying to become a doctor," Gabriel said hugging her tightly.

"Are you one yet?" Emma asked.

"Not yet," Gabriel said. "I still have a ways to go."

"Well what's taking so long?" Emma asked.

"You have to go to school for a long time and then you have to work at the hospital," Gabriel told her. "Believe me; I'm ready to get it all over with, too."

"Can we have a party for you when you're done?" Emma asked.

"Absolutely," Gabriel said with a grin.

"I'll make all the food, cause I'm going to be a chef when I get older," Emma told him.

"Is that so?" Gabriel asked. "As I recall, you liked eating best. Now, you're a good cook?"

"Well I can make all the things I like to eat," Emma giggled.

Seamus grinned. "Are you as good a cook as your Mum and great - Grandmother?"

"I hope so," Emma said. "Daddy says I am."

Hannah called out for her friend and Emma gave Gabriel one last hug before she left the room.

"She missed you," Seamus said. "Every time Lav and I came over she asked about you."

"She's a sweet kid," Gabriel said. "I missed her, too."

"They've all grown up fast," Seamus said. "I mean, I can hardly believe Saffron's got two children now."

"Time goes by fast," Gabriel said.

"Yes it does," Seamus nodded. "You'll be done with med school before you know it."

"I sure hope so," Gabriel said. "But, I still have a lot to learn."

"It's like my job in a way," Seamus said. "You never really stop learning."

Gabriel nodded. He did not get to spend as much time with his father because of their busy schedules, but he looked forward to this week. "You'd better get some sleep, old man. We have a volleyball match at two."

"Get ready to lose," Seamus said before leaving the room.

Gabriel closed the door behind his father.

He toyed with the idea of sending a text message to Stephanie but didn't want to have to type out who it was. It would be easier to wait and call her later.

Wherever she was, he hoped that she was okay.

****************************

Readers' questions this week

(1) Are Ethan and Maddie done with having kids? I remember in one of Maddie's visions there were seven. Or was that Gregory?

That was Gregory. Maddie and Ethan are done having kids.

(2) Do you have anything planned for the next generation Hogwarts crew? i.e. Caroline, Mia, Hannah and Emma.

Caroline has a storyline, but we aren't sure yet about how far we'll take Hannah and Emma's generation into Hogwarts.

(3) How do the two of you come up with the names for your characters?

Sometimes we pick something from an actor or actress, or it's the name of a family member, or of someone who has done us a favour- ie fanart, or writing a song, etc...

(4) Which book out of the Harry Potter series was your favorite?

Amynoelle: Prisoner of Azkaban (which was also my favourite of the movies) but then JKR ruined everything for me with Books 6 & 7.


Heaven:
Back when I used to read them, it was Prisoner of Azkaban. Now I can't bring myself to read any of them.

(5) Will Seamus and Lav have any more storylines, or were most of those already played out?

They will play supporting roles in storylines such as Gabriel's current one, but as of right now we don't have another one planned for them.

345. Chapter 345 Lean on Me

Authors' note: Tonight's chapter features two storylines---the Liam/Darla one and you find out what happened with Brittany and the modeling agent. And---you get some Harry/Hermione :)

Please read and review and take a look at the reader questions at the end of the chapter! Please keep asking!

Darla set out with her fiancé and son towards town for lunch. They were going to grab a bite and chat about the upcoming wedding. They'd set the date for August third of that summer, which would be easy since neither of them wanted anything over the top.

Rafe was walking ahead of them, stopping to look in the shoppe windows. Darla reached for his hand. "Nice to take a break from the chaos, eh?"

"You can say that again," Liam replied. "Its fun, but I enjoy some peace and quiet."

Darla smiled at him. "You don't get that around the Weasleys."

"Suppose I'll get used to it," he grinned back at her.

"You'd better," Darla said stopping to give him a kiss.

Liam slid his arms around her.

"Mummy!" Rafe called out.

"What is it?" Darla asked.

"I'm hungry," Rafe said grinning at her. "Come on!"

Darla shook her head as Liam scooped him up. "I'm hungry too..." he squeezed Rafe's side.

Rafe laughed. "Put me down!"

"I don't think so," Liam chuckled. "In fact..." his voice died as he saw who was sitting inside the cafe.

"They're right on time," Darla said with relief.

"What... are they doing here?" Liam managed.

"I invited them to lunch," Darla said. "They're going to be my family, too..."

"Darla," Liam began. "You don't understand..."

"It's just lunch," Darla cut him off.

"You don't KNOW my father." Liam said sharply.

Fiona spotted them and stood up. She waved enthusiastically at them.

"Oh no," Liam groaned.

"Conor's there too," Darla said. "Come on."

"You should have told me," Liam muttered.

Darla opened her mouth to say something but Rafe spotted Conor and started to squirm in her arms. Darla set him down and the little boy ran across the restaurant.

"Hi!" Rafe squealed.

Conor picked the little boy up and spun him around. "It's the best man!"

"That's me," Rafe said delightedly. "Who are they?" he pointed to the older people.

"I'm Liam and Conor's mother," Fiona said. "I met you when you were just a baby."

"Oh," Liam replied, his curious gaze moving to the older man.

"And this is our dad, Thomas," Conor said, not looking at his father as he made the introduction.

"Hi!" Rafe grinned at him.

Thomas just nodded in response.

"Hi Mum," Liam said tersely. "Conor..."

Darla kissed Fiona on the cheek. "Thanks so much for coming."

"It's so lovely to see you," Fiona said. "My future daughter in law."

Darla smiled. "It's lovely to see you, too. Um, why don't we all sit down?"

Liam took an uncomfortable seat and Rafe crawled over to sit in his lap.

Darla extended her hand to Liam's father. "Hello..."

William grunted. "Get me a drink."

Darla withdrew her hand and her smile faltered a bit. She sat down beside a tense Liam.

"It's not even one yet," Liam said. "You don't need a drink."

Fiona let out a nervous laugh. "Brighton sure is lovely. I haven't been here in years."

"It's nice," Conor nodded. "Sunnier than London."

"Me, Ellie and Gwyn built a big castle," Rafe told them. "Liam took a picture of us with it!"

"How lovely," Fiona said, a false brightness about her as her husband thumped the table with his fist.

"Where's that damn waiter?" Thomas grumbled.

"Relax, Thomas," Fiona placed a hand on his arm.

Liam picked up a menu and held it out before him and Rafe. "Let's see what we want, buddy."

"A big cheeseburger," Rafe announced.

"And chips?" Liam asked.

"Go for it," Darla smiled at her son.

Rafe grinned. "Yay!"

"This is ridiculous," Thomas shoved his chair back and stumbled to his feet.

"Thomas, please," Fiona pleaded.

He ignored his wife and headed off to the bar.

"Where's he going?" Rafe asked Liam.

"Nowhere good," Liam said. He couldn't help but be angry with Darla for not telling him about this.

"He'll be back," Fiona said, but she did not sound as if she believed that.

"Better if he never came back," Liam muttered.

Darla looked at Liam. "I'm sorry."

Liam flexed his jaw. "We'll talk later."

"Don't be angry with her, son," Fiona said. "She was only trying to get us all together."

"Nothing good ever comes of that, does it?" Liam asked sharply.

"I'm going to go and check on Thomas," Fiona said quietly.

"Rafe and I will go use the loo," Darla said, taking her son.

"But, Mummy, I don't have to," Rafe protested.

"Just try," Darla said as they walked away.

"I knew it was a bad idea," Conor said to his brother.

"I had nothing to do with this," Liam said angrily.

"Dad's not going to change," Conor said. "But, you know...perhaps Darla had to see this for herself."

"She just could have told me," Liam replied, glaring over at his parents. "What did our mother have to do to get him to come here? What's she going to have to put up with later?"

Conor shrugged. "If you'd have known, you wouldn't have come."

Liam glared at him.

"Don't be mad at her, mate," Conor said. "She thought she was helping."

"I told her how bad Dad was," Liam said. "I didn't ever want to see him again, ever."

"Well, she comes from that great big family, right?" Conor asked. "Family means something to her that we have no clue about."

"Still," Liam said. "I didn't want her to meddle. Not in this. Not with HIM."

"What do you want to do?" Conor asked.

"I don't know," Liam muttered. "Let them go home."

Conor nodded and smiled reassuringly at Darla who had just returned to the table with Rafe. "Rafe, do you know that just behind the restaurant here, you can see some boats?" Conor asked.

"Boats?" Rafe brightened.

Conor stood up. "Yeah. If your mum doesn't mind, how about you and I go take a look at them?"

"Can I?" Rafe asked pleadingly.

"Sure," Darla replied.

Liam looked over at his fiancée when his brother took Rafe to the window. "You shouldn't have done this."

"I can see that now," Darla said quietly. "I just wanted to help."

"You can't," he told her. "Not with this. You have to understand, my family isn't like yours."

Darla sat back down. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have interfered."

"Look," Liam said in a kinder tone. "I love you, Darla. But this is something you can't fix."

"I love you too," Darla said. "Your mother rang the other day to see how you were and I thought it might be worth a shot. I shouldn't have gone behind your back."

"It's hard for me to say I don't want my mother in my life," Liam told her. "But if she won't leave my father, then I can't have her around."

Darla reached for his hand. "You and I are going to have a great family all our own."

"Right," he squeezed her hand.

"So, we're okay?" Darla asked.

Liam nodded. "But please... just talk to me next time you feel the urge to host my family reunion."

Darla chuckled. "Okay, deal."

Liam leaned in and gave her a kiss.

"Eww," Conor said as he and Rafe sat back down. "Rafe, mate. Do they do this all the time?"

"Yes," Rafe said.

Darla laughed. "We have to behave now, Liam. The children are back."

Conor lowered his voice. "Where are they?" he asked his brother.

Liam shrugged. "Let's just order. Rafe, you still want that cheeseburger, right?"

"A big one," Rafe nodded eagerly.

Darla smiled and motioned for the waiter.

"I'll just order it at the bar," Conor said. "What's everyone else want?"

"A cheeseburger actually sounds good to me, too," Darla said.

"Make that three," Liam said. He knew why his brother was going up to the bar- to make sure their father wouldn't come back by them.

Rafe climbed back into Liam's lap. "Can we go on the boat when we get back?"

"Maybe," Liam replied. "If no one else is using it."

Darla smiled. "If not, we can go for a walk on the beach."

"Swim?" Rafe asked.

Darla nodded. "Sure, but only if Liam promises not to splash me anymore."

"Don't splash Mummy," Rafe looked up at his soon to be stepfather.

"She splashed me first," Liam said with a grin.

I most certainly did not," Darla replied.

"Oh, did your hand slip then?" Liam asked teasingly.

Darla poked him, relieved that he wasn't angry with her about his parents.

"Bad Mummy," Rafe laughed.

"That's right," Liam said. "Bad, bad Mummy."

"Two against one," Darla said. "Not fair."

"We blokes stick together," Liam told her.

"Right," Rafe said happily.

*** *** ***

Ashley was quietly sketching on the deck under the moonlight. Ashley was enjoying the rare peace and quiet. Most of the family was in town at the arcade, but Ashley had wanted a few moments to herself. Kevin had left that morning to rejoin his band on tour.

She had to admit she missed having him there. Even if her sister was vying for his attention, Kevin never seemed to mind humouring her. He was a great guy who always made her laugh and made her feel safe.

Ashley dragged her pencil along the page. Safe... she liked feeling safe but at the same time, she wanted to break free of so many things. That was one of the reasons she was looking forward to her art trip. It was thrilling and exciting and scary all at the same time.

She resumed her sketching and didn't notice when a figure approached her. "Ash?"

Ashley looked up from her sketchbook. "Zander?"

"Hey," he said, dropping into the sand next to her.

"Hey," Ashley said softly.

"Brit went to her photograph session yesterday," Zander told her. "She's been talking about it non-stop since then. I had to get out of the house or I was going to go mad."

"Oh," Ashley said.

"I just thought I'd tell you," Zander said. "I know you're still mad at her--"

"Believe it or not, I actually hope this is legitimate and she does well," Ashley said. "I never want to see her fail."

"Well if you'd listen to her, you'd think she's already some sort of supermodel," Zander rolled his eyes.

"Getting on your nerves just a little?" Ashley asked.

"Just a little," Zander smiled at her.

A companionable silence fell over them and Ashley stared out at the ocean. "It's a nice night, isn't it?" she asked.

Zander nodded. "Sure is. And quiet...."

Ashley laughed. "Practically everyone at my house has gone into town."

"How come you didn't go?" he asked.

"Didn't really feel like it," Ashley replied.

"Kevin left?" he asked.

"This morning," Ashley replied.

"He's a good bloke," Zander had to admit.

Ashley nodded. "He is." She looked down at her sketch book.

Zander fiddled with a handful of sand. "He really cares about you."

Ashley felt uncomfortable talking about Kevin about Zander. "I'm sorry about what happened with Debra. I hope it wasn't because of--"

"It would have happened whether she walked in on that or not," Zander said. "We weren't long term."

Ashley looked up at him.

"It's not a big deal," he shrugged.

Ashley shivered in the cool night air.

"Here," Zander pulled off his long sleeved shirt.

"You'll be cold," Ashley said, shaking her head.

"I've got a t shirt on," Zander said. "I'll be fine."

"Thanks," Ashley said softly as he draped the shirt over her shoulders.

Zander opened his mouth to say something when they heard a wailing sound from a few houses down the beach. "Is that Brit?"

"I don't know," Ashley said standing up.

Zander stood up as well, concerned.

"Let's go and see," Ashley said setting her sketch book down on the sand.

They hurried down the beach to see Brittany huddled over, crying. "Brit?" Zander asked. "What’s going on?"

Brittany continued to sob and Ashley sat down beside her. "Brit?"

"He left with all my money!" Brittany bawled. "The pictures, everything...it was all fake!"

Ashley and Zander shared a look. Zander sat down on the other side of his cousin. "Slow down...and just tell us what happened."

"I called to find out about my pictures," Brittany said, her voice choked. "And the line was disconnected."

"Oh, Brit," Ashley said softly.

"And so I Apparated to the studio, and it was totally empty," Brittany continued. "Almost like nothing was ever there at all!"

"Maybe we should contact the police," Zander said.

"I already asked my dad about it," Brittany said miserably. "He's talking to them now, but he reckons there's nothing we can do."

"I'm so sorry," Ashley said.

Brittany hardly knew what to say to Ashley. She'd treated her so horribly these last few months.

"I know you probably don't believe this, but I was hoping that this was going to work out for you," Ashley said.

"You were?" Brittany asked.

Ashley nodded. "Of course. I never wanted this to happen to you."

"I paid him everything I had!" Brittany wailed again.

Zander excused himself for a moment and came back with a box of tissues. Brittany gratefully took one. "Go ahead," Brittany said to him. "Tell me you told me so."

Zander shook his head. "That's all right, Brit."

"I'm such an idiot," Brittany said, wiping at her eyes.

"You're trusting," Ashley told her.

Brittany nodded. "He just fed me all that rubbish and I bought into it. It was everything I wanted to hear."

Ashley forgot her angry feelings towards her friend and put an arm around her.

Brittany rested her head on Ashley's shoulder. "I'm so sorry for how I treated you, Ashley."

"We can talk about that later," Ashley told her.

Brittany nodded. "Thanks."

"Maybe they'll catch him," Ashley tried to be optimistic. "And he'll have to give you your money back."

"Maybe," Brittany said quietly.

"Or," Ashley said. "When you are famous someday, you'll see that bloke begging for a quid on the side of the road and you'll walk right by him with your head high."

Brittany smiled through her tears. "I like the sound of that."

Ashley hugged her friend tightly.

"Or she could always hex him," Zander said thoughtfully.

"That's a good idea," Ashley raised an eyebrow.

"Only kidding," Zander said.

"If I saw him I'd bloody kill him," Brittany said angrily.

"I can tell my Uncle Ethan," Ashley said. "See if the Aurors can do something about it."

Brittany shook her head. "I doubt it."

"It couldn't hurt," Zander said.

"If you think it might help," Brittany said tentatively. "You'd do that for me, Ash?"

Ashley nodded. "Of course. He shouldn't get away with this."

"Okay," Brittany wiped at her eyes.

"They're all in town now, but I'll talk to him the moment he gets home," Ashley promised.

"Thanks," Brittany said. "Ugh... what a night."

"Anything we can do?" Zander asked.

Brittany shook her head.

Ashley smiled at her. "You'll be fine, Brit. You're down, but you're not out."

Brittany burst into tears again. "You're being so nice to me and I don't even deserve it!"

"Brit, come on," Zander said. "That's not true."

"I've been awful to both of you, but especially you, Ash." Brittany said. "I'm so sorry."

"We both said some bad things to each other," Ashley said. "I'm sorry, too."

Brittany wiped at her eyes again. "What a horrible start to the summer."

"It'll get better," Ashley reassured her.

"I don't know what I'm going to do now," she moaned. "I'll never get a start. Not without any money."

"You could get a proper job," Zander suggested.

"How boring," Brittany said. "But I suppose I'll have to."

Ashley nodded. "You could work in a boutique or at a pub."

"A boutique," Brittany said. "Definitely."

"Tomorrow, we'll look in the papers," Ashley said. "And see what's out there."

"Thanks," Brittany said softly.

Zander looked over at Ashley and smiled. After the horrible way that Brittany had treated her, she was still here comforting her friend.

He felt a tingle in his stomach, one that he hadn't felt for awhile. True, kissing her at school had made him see Ashley in a different light again, but he hadn't let those thoughts linger until now.

Ashley looked over and met his gaze.

Brittany was completely unaware of what was going on between her two best friends. "I'm glad you're both here."

"We wouldn't be anywhere else," Ashley said.

Harry and Hermione had joined everyone else at the arcade that night and were enjoying some time off by themselves. Hermione had to admit she enjoyed the anonymity of the Muggle world.

They were standing in the queue waiting for their turn at one of the games. "So," Harry said to his wife. "Do you want the stuffed panda or the teddy bear if I knock all those bottles down?"

Hermione laughed. "The panda bear."

"It's as good as yours," Harry said as he handed the man behind the counter his money.

"I'll believe it when I see it," Hermione teased.

"You have to knock them all down," the man told Harry.

"Got it," Harry said, taking aim.

Hermione smiled. "Go, Harry!"

Harry threw the ball and knocked two of the three bottles down.

"Tough break," the man said.

"I get another try," Harry said defensively.

"You'll get it this time," Hermione said supportively.

Harry nodded and took aim again.

The ball breezed past the last bottle.

"One more try," the man said in an oily tone.

"Yeah, yeah," Harry muttered.

Harry narrowed his eyes and took aim for the last time, then threw the ball as hard as he could.

The ball hit the bottle and the bottle crashed to the floor. Hermione clapped her hands. "Third time is the charm!"

"That's right," Harry said with a grin as the man handed him the panda.

"My hero," Hermione said dramatically.

Harry wrapped his arms around her, bear and all.

"I feel like a teenager," Hermione admitted.

"Yeah," Harry agreed. "It's nice."

"Except you don't have to kiss me good night outside my front step before you leave," Hermione said with a grin.

"I can just snog you in bed later," he commented.

"You think I would do that on a first date?" Hermione asked him, swatting at his arm.

"You kind of did," Harry pointed out.

"Me?" Hermione asked innocently.

"After that dance," Harry said. "That was rather like our first date."

"It wasn't a proper date," Hermione corrected him.

"So we got all dressed up, went to a hotel, and had a bite to eat, did some dancing and it wasn't a date?" Harry asked. "I even drove. And you had a flower, didn't you?"

"As I recall," Hermione said nudging him. "The 'bite to eat' was half a sandwich and crisps."

"I still shared with you," Harry replied.

"Very true," Hermione said smiling at him.

Harry slid his arm back around her. "Right now, I feel like I did back then."

"Me too," Hermione said, leaning against him.

Harry kissed the side of her head. "And we're back at where we were at that time too. Just us in the house..."

Hermione laughed. "Yet, we're busier than we were back then."

"You being the Minister," Harry nodded. "Me in the running to head the Auror Department..."

Hermione touched his arm. That day's paper had a front page story about Josephine and her "triumphant return" to London.

"I just... I really want to do it." Harry said. "And if I don't get it, I hope Neville does."

"You've both worked so hard for this," Hermione said.

"And then we get someone who just waltzes in and acts like she's already gotten the position," Harry's tone grew dark.

Hermione led him over to a quiet spot on the pier. "When this is all over, she'll go back to Australia."

"Good," Harry said as she placed the bear on the bench and sat down. "My life can go back to normal, where I'm not questioned and belittled over EVERYTHING."

"I know how you feel," Hermione said. "It would be nice to step away from all this stress and just...be."

"You're saying you want to retire?" Harry asked in surprise.

Hermione smiled. "Maybe, I don't know."

Harry stared at her in shock.

"These last few weeks have really taken it out of me," Hermione said. "And being here has made me realise how nice it is to not worry about...anything."

Harry slid his hand into hers. "Yes... it is nice."

"And it would be nice to travel with my husband," Hermione said.

"That sounds great," Harry nodded.

"All the places we've always wanted to go," Hermione said thoughtfully.

Harry put his arm around her. "We could take another tropical holiday in the winter."

Hermione smiled. "That would be lovely."

Harry leaned in and kissed his wife.

"I love you," Hermione said softly.

"Love you too," Harry said, his forehead resting on hers. "I always have."

"Always will," Hermione said with a grin.

Harry stood up and offered her his hand. "Dance with me."

"Here?" Hermione asked.

"Sure," Harry replied. The pier was mostly deserted.

Hermione smiled. "Okay."

They didn't need music, Harry thought as he pulled his wife close to him.

"Did you ever think all those years ago that we'd end up here?" Hermione asked.

"Maybe not at first," Harry replied.

Hermione laughed. "Me either."

Harry slid his arms down around her waist. "You're as stunning as you were back then."

Hermione smiled up at him. "Flatterer."

Harry grinned at her. "You do bring out the best side of me, Hermione."

"And you do the same for me," Hermione said softly.

"I'd do anything FOR you," Harry said intently.

"Would you take me home?" Hermione asked.

"If that's what you want," Harry replied, skimming his lips over her neck.

"Yes," Hermione whispered.

"Don't forget your panda," he said in her ear.

"Can't forget him," Hermione said.

Harry laughed as she picked up the giant bear.

"I bet Ellie and Gwyn will probably take it from me," Hermione said.

"Think you'll be all right if they do?" Harry asked, straight faced.

"I'll just bring you back here to win me another one," Hermione said nudging him.

"And give that smarmy git the satisfaction?" Harry asked.

Hermione laughed. "You could always try another game."

"True," Harry said as they headed away from the noisy arcade towards the exit.

"Or I could win you something," Hermione said.

"I like that idea," Harry said. "Maybe my prize can be one of those see through things you wear once in awhile."

"Harry!" Hermione swatted at him.

"That's the perfect prize for me," Harry said with a grin.

"Well, maybe I'll do that tonight," Hermione said coyly.

"We'd better hurry home," he said quickly.

Hermione laughed. "Come on, then."

They hurried home, glad the house was dark and that they would be alone.

Hermione took his hand and led him upstairs to their room.

"Close your eyes," she purred in his ear.

"Whatever you say," Harry said.

Hermione ran her hands lightly over his shoulders and down his back before slipping into the closet.

"Hermione?" Harry asked, his eyes still closed.

"Just a minute," she said teasingly.

Harry smiled. This was just what he needed to take his mind off of everything that was going on at Headquarters.

She emerged from the closet and turned out the lamp. "Okay."

"Can I open my eyes then?" Harry asked, his back to her.

"Yes, you git," Hermione laughed.

Harry opened his eyes and turned around. "Whoa..."

"I can't believe I still fit into this," Hermione smoothed the lacy lingerie over her skin.

"You look beautiful," Harry said reaching for her.

Hermione smiled at him as he drew her into his arms.

"This definitely brings back good memories," Harry said.

Hermione laughed. "This is never a memory, Harry. We're still rabbits."

"Always," Harry grinned.

Hermione pulled her husband close and kissed him passionately.

The two of them shut out everything and everyone that night and just enjoyed being together. Harry forgot about everything that was going on with work. The only thing that mattered at this moment was his wife and how much he loved her.

*******************************************************************************

Authors' questions...thanks for submitting them again, you guys! Please don't hesitate to ask us questions---we love answering them!

(1) Is there any television character that you would relate Katie to? She seems a lot like Blair from Gossip Girl. A bitch but can still be lovable...

Blair would be a great comparison. Katie has her strengths and weaknesses as a character, but she is the Slytherin with a heart of gold... well at least part of it.

(2) Are grandkids going to ever be put into different houses besides Gryffindor?

Here and there, but it does make it easier for us to write them when they're in the same house.

(3) Is there potential for Nick and Julie to ever have a storyline again?

We've been asked this before, but unfortunately we really don't have a storyline thought out for them. But, they will be heavily involved in the lives of their two daughters!

(4) Will Hermione ever retire as minister?

Not in her lifetime ;) !

(5) Can you tell us how soon Zander and Ashley will get together?

Who says they're going to get together? She's happy with Kevin.

(6) Most characters with the exception of Harry, Hermione, Neville and Ethan seem to be quitting education right after Hogwarts. Prime examples being Ron, Luna, Jon, Allie, Maddie, Frankie, Saffron, RJ, Andrew, Alexa (considering she dropped out). Any particular reason for that?

I guess since JKR never disclosed school afterwards, we never really went on it either... and most characters knew what they wanted to do while in Hogwarts.For what it's worth, Alexa does have a journalism degree (she did not drop out from UCLA--she just transferred to university in London---Kingston University. Which you will hear about when she re-enters the story. .

346. Make New Friends, But Keep the Old...

Authors' note: We didn't have that great of a response to the last chapter. We know this is a busy time of year with people finishing up with school, going on vacations, etc. But, we just want to make sure that there is still interest in the story because we do have loads more story to tell. Tonight's chapter deals with Katie and Caroline and Maddie receives a visit from a special guest. Some BIG things are happening soon, especially for Harry and Hermione. We do plan to post the next two Saturdays and then will take a hiatus through the end of July and early August. We have a project we're working on and we will periodically post something on "Affairs".

The next day, Katie and Caroline were sitting on the beach together a fair distance away from their families. Katie didn't want to sit next to her parents as it hindered her ability to watch the blokes walk by.

Caroline smiled at her friend. Though she was still hesitant, she had to admit, Katie was more like the way she used to be. They had a good time at the arcade last night.

"Caroline," Katie said. "Check out that one over there!"

"Katie!" Caroline giggled. "You're like a kid in a candy shoppe."

"I can't help it," she said. "He's gorgeous."

"And he's taken," Caroline said as a girl sauntered up to him and put her arms around him.

"Whatever," Katie muttered.

Caroline laughed. "There's plenty of fish in the sea."

"Thankfully," Katie grumbled, giving the guy one last look before turning away.

Caroline picked up her book and started to read.

"Caroline," Katie pulled her arm. "Come on... why are you reading here? There's too much to... see."

"Blokes, you mean?" Caroline asked with a grin.

"Exactly," Katie said, stretching her bikini clad body out. "And ours for the taking."

Caroline set her book aside. "Where's Ashley today?"

"Somewhere with Zander and Brit," Katie said. "Apparently they all made up last night."

Caroline smiled. "It's about time! You wouldn't believe how tense the Gryffindor table was the last few weeks of school."

Katie shrugged. "I feel bad about Brit losing all her money, but I guess they're trying to help her find the guy to get it back."

"That was terrible," Caroline said.

"I'd never fall for something like that," Katie reached for her bag to get more sunscreen.

"You wouldn't?" Caroline asked.

"Of course not," Katie replied.

"Well, I mean it was something she wanted more than anything," Caroline said thoughtfully. "And it's easy to see how she would be misled."

"I guess," Katie conceded, sitting up straighter as a few blokes walked by.

One of the blokes winked at Katie.

Caroline watched Katie smile back at him. She looked at the guy and her gut tightened. There was something shady looking about him.

"Katie," Caroline cautioned.

"Hmm?" Katie asked distractedly.

"Let's go for a walk," Caroline said.

"With them," Katie's eyes gleamed.

Caroline shook her head. "I don't think so."

"Why?" Katie asked.

"For one thing, they look to be about eighteen," Caroline pointed out.

"We should tell them we're seventeen," Katie said excitedly.

"No, we shouldn't!" Caroline protested.

"Why?" Katie asked. "Come on, let's go have a little fun. Our parents won't even know we're gone."

"There's something about them that doesn't seem right," Caroline said.

Katie rolled her eyes. "Caroline come on... what could be better than a little summer romance?"

"Katie!" Caroline called after her friend, but Katie was already on her feet following after the boys.

Caroline sighed. She didn't want to go over there, but she couldn't leave Katie to herself either. She gathered their towels and bags and reluctantly followed her friend.

"Three of them," Katie whispered. "Now...which one to choose..."

"How about none," Caroline said. "I don't want to do this."

Katie linked her arm in Caroline's. "Don't be such a spoil sport. This will be fun."

Caroline tried to smile but had never felt more unenthusiastic.

The boys stopped walking and turned around. "Hiya," the tallest one said.

"Hello," Katie purred.

One of the other boys looked appraisingly at Caroline, which made the younger girl feel incredibly uncomfortable.

"I'm Jeffrey," the boy Katie was eyeing up said.

"Katherine," Katie said smiling flirtatiously at him.

"Well..." Jeffery said, looking her up and down.

"This is my friend, Caroline," Katie said grabbing Caroline's arm and pulling her closer.

"Hi," Caroline managed shyly.

"You two have to be the prettiest girls on the beach today," Jeffrey commented.

"We know," Katie said, tossing back her hair.

"I'm Tim," Jeffrey's friend said looking at Caroline.

"Hello Tim," Katie purred. "You all just came along at the right moment. "We were so bored..."

"Is that so?" Tim asked.

"Mmmhmm..." Katie smoothed her bikini bottom over her hips.

"We were going to get some ice cream," Jeffrey said. "Care to join us?"

"We would love to," Katie answered for both of them.

Caroline shook her head. "Actually, we were just heading back home..."

"No you weren't," Tim said. "We were watching you two for awhile."

Caroline shuddered. "Katie, come on..."

"We are so in the mood for ice cream," Katie said, taking Caroline by the arm.

"Yeah, come on," Tim said.

"Katie..." Caroline whispered. "I don't want to do this. I have a really bad feeling--"

"Can you give us a minute?" Katie asked the boys.

"Don't be long," Jeffrey leered at her.

Katie pulled Caroline off to the side. "Caroline, we're not in the Princess Club anymore. Those blokes are hot and they're obviously interested."

"Yes but they're creepy," Caroline said. "I don't like the way they're looking at us."

"Do this for me," Katie begged. "Please?"

Caroline sighed. "Just a little while. And I'm not going off anywhere with them."

Katie beamed at her. "Thank you. You are the best. The best, bestest friend ever."

Caroline managed a smile.

Katie sauntered back over to the blokes, falling into step beside Jeffrey. Caroline hung back, not liking the way that Tim was gazing at her.

"So," Katie said flirtatiously. "I haven't seen you lot around here before."

"We're on break from University," Jeffrey said.

"We've just finished a year at boarding school," Katie said. "An all girls boarding school... so we were very, very bored."

"Is that so?" Jeffrey said with a grin.

"Uh huh," Katie said.

Jeffrey put his arm around her. "Well, welcome back to civilization, Katherine."

Katie grinned at him. "Time for a little celebration."

"Absolutely," Jeffrey said leading the way to the ice cream stand.

"You're not as chatty as your friend," Tim said to Caroline.

"I'm shy," Caroline replied quietly

"I like them shy," Tim commented.

Caroline quickened her step. She suddenly wasn't very hungry.

She winced when Tim came and put his arm around her. "Come on," he said. "I don't bite."

Caroline shrugged out of his hold on her. "I'm fine. Thank you."

She noticed a flash of anger in his eyes and quickened her step again.

They arrived at the ice cream stand and joined the queue.

Caroline tried to stand close to Katie but Jeffrey seemed to have other things in mind as he ran his hand down Katie's smooth arm.

"What do you want to get?" Jeffrey asked her. "It's on me."

"Hmmm..." Katie said. "It all looks good..."

"It definitely does," Jeffrey said looking at her.

"I'll go for the strawberry swirl," Katie said. The bloke behind the counter looked quite familiar to her.

"And for you---?" the bloke asked Caroline. "Hiya, Caroline."

"Bradley?" Caroline asked.

He smiled at her. "I didn't know you were in Brighton."

"We come here almost every year," she said. "Family holiday."

Tim put his arm around Caroline possessively.

"Just get her the ice cream, mate." he sneered at the boy behind the counter.

"She didn't order yet," Bradley retorted.

Caroline shrugged Tim's arm off. "I don't need anything, thank you."

"Hey!" Katie exclaimed, when Jeffrey's hand cupped her breast.

"Get your hands off her," Bradley said, his face gone dark. "And the two of you better get out of here before--"

"Before what?" Jeffrey asked.

"Come on Jeff," Tim said in disgust. "These two aren't worth it."

Jeffrey glared at Bradley before following his friend.

"What a jerk," Katie said, trembling a bit. "I can't believe he just did that!"

"Are you okay?" Caroline asked.

"Fine," Katie replied. "thanks to... I'm sorry, what was your name?"

"Bradley Hathaway," Bradley said. "Ravenclaw, fourth year...well, fifth year coming up." Katie wondered why she did not remember him if he was in her year and how Caroline seemed to know him.

"Katie Malfoy," she said. He was even cuter than those two losers that had just walked off.

"I know you," he said. "We've had a couple of classes together."

"We did?" she asked. "Why didn't I ever notice?"

He laughed. "I'm not sure. Alright, you wanted the strawberry, but what about you, Caroline?" He grinned at the younger girl and Caroline blushed.

"Um... I'm okay. I don't have any money on me." Caroline said shyly.

"It's on me," he told her.

"Really?" Caroline asked. "Bradley, you don't have to do that."

"It's no problem," he said to her. "What do you want?"

"Just chocolate is fine," Caroline said, still blushing.

"Coming right up," he said with a grin.

"He's cute," Katie hissed in Caroline's ear. "How do you know him?"

"He plays Quidditch," Caroline replied. "We played against him."

"Why haven't I ever noticed him?" Katie asked. "He's gorgeous."

"He is," Caroline agreed.

Katie put on her best flirtatious smile as Bradley came back over. "There you go, girls."

"Thanks," Caroline said. "This looks really good."

"So how long are you lot staying here?" he asked.

"A couple of weeks," Katie replied. "So, do you live in Brighton then?"

"Yeah," he nodded. "This is my first summer working here at the beach."

Katie grinned. "Lucky you."

"Yeah it's pretty cool," Bradley smiled back at her.

"This is the best chocolate ice cream," Caroline commented.

"We make it here," Bradley told her. "Every morning."

Caroline grinned. "My little sisters and brother are going to love this."

"Be sure to bring them by," Bradley said.

"I will," Caroline promised. A customer came up and Bradley excused himself.

"We're coming back," Katie said. "Later today. With kids. So we can stand here a long, long time."

Caroline giggled. "Katie!"

"Seriously," Katie said. "I cannot BELIEVE I never noticed him before. I must be blind."

"It was pretty great of him to save us like that," Caroline commented. She turned serious all of a sudden. "Are you okay? I can't believe that jerk did that to you!"

Katie shook her head. "I'm fine. I would have liked to slap that jerk."

"Me too," Caroline said. "I'm glad you're okay."

Katie nodded. "Sorry I got you mixed up in that. But on the bright side, I might not have met Bradley if it hadn't happened."

Caroline smiled. "He's a great guy."

Katie nodded, barely listening. Her mind was back, already thinking on her conversation with the other boy.

Neither Caroline nor Katie saw that the boy in question was stealing a look in Caroline's direction.

"I'll tell Em about the ice cream and we'll be back there before you know it," Caroline said.

Katie laughed. "Em will never want to leave."

"Then you'll have more time to talk," Caroline said.

Katie smiled. "You truly are the brains behind our friendship, Miss Weasley."

Caroline smiled back as they reached the spot where their families were gathered.

"Sissy!" Olivia squealed.

"Hi Livvie," Caroline said as Olivia barrelled into her. "Want some?" she offered her cone.

Olivia nodded. "Please!"

"Here you go," Caroline handed her sister the rest of her ice cream.

"We can go later and get you more," Katie told her.

"I'm okay," Caroline said. "But we'll definitely take the rest of the kids."

"Absolutely," Katie said happily.

*** *** ***

Maddie awoke very early the next morning before everyone else. She carefully slid out of bed so as not to wake up Ethan.

She pulled on a pair of shorts and a shirt, then grabbed her trainers out of the closet.

Maddie gave Ethan one last look before quietly heading out of the room.

She liked taking early morning walks before anyone else was up to clear her head. With everything she'd been through in the past year, some time to herself was necessary.

And this way she would not worry anyone or scare her children.

She tied her hair back and slipped quietly out of the house, taking a deep breath and feeling thankful that it was another nice day.

She had done this nearly everyday and no one was any the wiser.

Maddie headed down the pavement towards the beach. It was the perfect place for her to go let out her emotions. Whether she wanted to cry, laugh, or scream... she could do it in peace.

Her thoughts always turned to Gregory. When she looked at the other babies, she could just see him sitting there with his siblings.

She bit down hard on her lower lip as she reached the beach and headed along the shoreline. The pain wasn't as sharp, but the loss of her son still left a raw feeling inside her.

She felt a soft breeze blow across her face. "Madeline..."

"What?" Maddie turned around.

"Hello," a woman's soft dream-like voice called out to her.

Maddie turned again and staggered back as she went into a vision.

Though she had never met the woman, she had seen photographs of her. This was her maternal grandmother.

"Hello, Madeline." the older woman smiled gently at her.

"Grandmother," Maddie whispered.

"Hello love," Sabrina Lovegood smiled at her granddaughter.

"What are you doing here?" Maddie asked.

"I've come to help," Sabrina said. "You're hurting, Madeline."

Maddie nodded. "Very much so."

Sabrina reached for her and drew her further into her vision. "He's safe, with me, Madeline."

"What?" Maddie asked.

"Your Gregory," Sabrina said softly.

"He is?" Maddie asked in a whisper.

Sabrina nodded. "With us, he's happy and healthy. On Earth... he wouldn't have survived long, even if he'd been born to you."

Tears welled up in Maddie's eyes.

"He's at peace here," Sabrina touched her cheek.

"My Gregory," Maddie said softly.

Sabrina sat down. "Be happy again, Madeline."

"I want to be," Maddie said. "I want to for my children, but there's this ache in my heart."

Sabrina smiled at her. "Unfortunately there will always be an ache there. But you'll be able to dull it a bit with the company of your other children. Let Gregory's memory live on through them."

Maddie nodded. "What---what does he look like?"

"Like your husband," Sabrina said. "Your eyes... your nose..."

Maddie smiled through her tears. "Really?"

"You'll meet him someday," Sabrina said. "When it's your time."

"You'll take good care of him, right?" Maddie asked.

"He's my great grandson," Sabrina said. "He'll be right by my side."

"And Hope?" Maddie asked.

Sabrina laughed. "Who do you think welcomed him?"

Maddie smiled. "Kiera said that to me the other day. That she was playing with him. It was---it was a comforting thought for me to know that."

"They're inseparable," Sabrina assured her.

"I'll tell Drew that," Maddie said as Sabrina hugged her tightly.

"I hope I've done some good here today," Sabrina said. "Done some healing..."

Maddie nodded. "You have."

"Tell my daughter that I'm proud of what wonderful children she's raised," Sabrina said. "I talk to her every day, in some way."

Maddie smiled. "She's a fantastic mother."

"Yes she is," Sabrina kissed her lightly on the cheek. "I'll always be here for you, Madeline. To guide you in your visions, and to help you."

"Thank you, Gran," Maddie said softly.

"We'll be watching over you," Sabrina said, standing up.

"Gran?" Maddie asked.

"Yes?" the older woman turned back around.

"Will you tell him that I love him?" Maddie asked. "That I will always love him."

"I will," Sabrina nodded. "But he knows that."

Maddie smiled and watched as her grandmother disappeared.

She gasped as she snapped out of her vision and looked wildly about the deserted beach.

Gregory was...fine. He was happy and safe where he was. Maddie knew that her therapist and family kept telling her this, but it did not seem to carry the same weight as it did at this moment with her grandmother.

She drew her knees up to her chest and stared out over the ocean. A feeling of peace that she had not known in months settled over her.

This ache would not ever go away, but for the first time, she actually believed it was possible to move on with her life.

Taking another deep breath, she stood up and headed back to the house.

The house was still quiet and Maddie tiptoed up the stairs.

Letting herself back into the bedroom, she kicked off her trainers and slid into bed, snuggling up next to her husband.

"Mmmm," Ethan murmured.

"Ethan," she whispered.

"Hmmm?" Ethan asked.

"I need to tell you what just happened," she said softly.

Ethan opened his eyes and looked at her. "What?"

"I went out for a walk," Maddie said. "Out on the beach... and I had a vision."

Ethan put his arm around her. "What kind of vision?"

"I saw my grandmother," Maddie said. "She's with Gregory, Ethan."

"What?" Ethan asked, taken aback.

"He's okay," Maddie felt tears spring to her eyes. "She told me he's happy, and he's healthy."

Ethan smiled. "He is?"

Maddie nodded. "And Hope is there. They play together."

Tears welled up in Ethan's eyes. "Kiera was right."

Maddie nodded. "Ethan... I feel so much better now. I feel at peace, finally."

Ethan gave her a kiss. "What else did she say?"

"Just that he's waiting for us," Maddie said softly. "And we'll see him again someday."

For the first time in what seemed like forever, Ethan saw the light in his wife's eyes. "We will," Ethan said softly.

Maddie smiled at him. "Knowing that... it just helps me so much."

Ethan hugged her to him. He could not tell her how happy that made him.

Maddie contentedly rested her head on his chest.

"We'll always miss him, Maddie," Ethan said softly.

"We won't forget him," Maddie agreed. "Not ever. My grandmother said there will always be an ache in our hearts."

"There will," Ethan agreed.

"But now... I think we can deal with this better," Maddie said. "Together."

"Yes," Ethan said kissing the top of her head.

Maddie smiled up at him. "I'm sorry to have woken you up..."

"No need to apol-" Ethan started to say, but was interrupted with a knock on the door. "Mummy!" Gwyn called out.

"I guess we would have been up anyway," Maddie said, pullingthe covers back.

Gwyn opened the door and jumped on their bed. "Wakey, wakey!"

Ethan laughed and reached for her. "What are you doing up so early?"

"No-ah and Aidan woke me and Ellie up," Gwyn giggled.

"I see," Ethan kissed her cheek. "Are you hungry?"

"Yes," Gwyn replied.

"How about Daddy makes you some French toast?" Ethan asked her.

Maddie shook her head. "How about Mummy makes it?"

"Yummy," Gwyn declared.

"This is a real treat," Ethan said with a grin.

Maddie still had her shorts and shirt on so she held out her hand to her daughter. "Let's let Daddy get dressed and he can join us downstairs."

"Kay," Gwyn said taking her mother's hand.

Maddie smiled at Ethan. "Don’t' be long."

"I wouldn't miss it," Ethan said.

"Let's get Kiera," Gwyn said to her mother.

Maddie smiled. "Okay." She let Gwyn lead the way to the room Kiera was sharing with Emma and Casey.

All three of the girls were still asleep, and Gwyn carefully crept over to her sister's bed.

"Kiki," Gwyn whispered.

"Sweetheart," Maddie touched Kiera's shoulder. "Wake up."

Kiera opened her eyes. "Mummy?"

"Hi love," Maddie said. "I'm making French toast for your sister and Ellie and the boys. Would you like to join us?"

Kiera grinned sleepily at her. "Of course!"

Maddie smiled and smoothed back Kiera's blond hair.

Kiera noticed a change in her mother and her smile widened.

"Okay, baby?" Maddie asked her.

Kiera nodded and sat up in her bed. She hugged her mother.

Maddie kissed the top of Kiera's head, knowing what her daughter was thinking.

"I love you, Mummy," Kiera said.

"Love you too, sweetheart," Maddie said softly.

Gwyn climbed onto the bed and joined their hug.

"It's all okay," Maddie murmured. "Things will be better now, I promise."

"They really will," Kiera said softly.

"For what?" Gwyn asked innocently.

"For all of us," Kiera said squeezing her mother's hand.

****************

Just had two reader questions this week...

(1) How come Lavender never had a kid? She was married before Seamus so it wasn't like she was a nun. Saffron came around the time they got back together.

Lavender never really wanted to have children. She and Seamus were both busy with their careers and it was never something that either of them wanted. But, Seamus is over the moon about having Gabe as a son and Lavender enjoys spending time with her stepson and doting on Ethan, Julie, Saffy and their children.

(2) Why do you never experiment with unconventional couples. Like a guy who's been an ex of your sister. Similarly perhaps one of the childhood crushes could have gone on to something despite the age difference, like Ashley/Andrew, Emma/Gabe, Adam/Ashley etc. The closest we've had is Ethan/Maddie but they were just about 3-4 years apart.

We think the problem with that is that most of those were just childhood crushes and most of them are so closely related anyway. BUT, you never know...we just might surprise you...never say never, right?

347. Chapter 347 Worst Case Scenario

Authors' note: One more week until the hiatus---we'll post next Saturday and then will not post again until probably end of July--early August. We want to thank you guys for understanding. We need this time off to work on a special project unrelated to fan fiction. We will be posting periodically on our other work in progress 'Affairs' as well so keep an eye out for that and we might post some previews for post-Hiatus stories on Orkut occasionally too. And if you have questions, please send them to us in the reviews and we'll answer them with next week's chapter! We had some great questions this time! Thanks you guys! You are the best!

Frankie was reluctantly getting dressed that morning. "Remind me again why we have to go sit in that courtroom?" she asked her husband. "I mean, we want nothing to do with David Wright. We don't even want him seeing us."

"We want to testify at the hearing as to why he should not be paroled," Will told her.

"Right," Frankie said, pulling on her skirt. "I just hope it goes fast."

"Me too," Will said reaching for his tie.

Frankie brushed her hair and tied it back. "When is Mallory coming over?"

"Should be here any minute," Will said. Mallory had arrived in Brighton a couple of days ago. Hannah had been overjoyed to see her aunt.

"I imagine it's not going to be easy for her," Frankie commented. "Seeing the man that killed her sister..."

Will nodded. "We'll support her as best we can. We have a common goal here."

Frankie nodded. "I'll just be a minute; I want to finish my makeup."

"I'm going to check on Hannah," Will said.

"Okay," Frankie smiled at her husband.

Will gave her a quick kiss before heading out of their room and down the hall to their daughter's room. He found her packing her bag for the beach. "Hiya sweetheart."

"Hi Daddy," Hannah looked up. "Why are you dressed like that?"

"Your mother and I are going into town for a work thing," Will replied. "Nothing for you to worry about."

Hannah frowned. "How long?"

"Just the afternoon," Will said sitting on the edge of her twin bed. "I expect we'll be back by dinner."

"I hope earlier," Hannah said.

"I hope so, too," Will told her. "So, what are you and Em up to today?"

"Sand castle," Hannah said. "A really complex one."

"You and Em are determined to make the best one, aren't you?" Will said smiling at her.

"I drew plans for it," Hannah said. "It kind of looks like Hogwarts but not really."

"Our little architect," Will said affectionately.

Hannah giggled. "Maybe someday."

Frankie walked into the room and smiled. "All ready for the beach?"

"Yes," Hannah said. "But I wish you guys were coming too."

"I do too, baby," Frankie said. "You make sure that you put on lots of sunscreen, okay?"

"I've got my big bottle in here," Hannah told her.

"And listen to your Aunt Allie," Frankie said. "And look out for Nate and Izzie."

"I will," Hannah promised.

Hannah saw the worried look that crossed her mother's face. "Mummy?"

Frankie forced a smile back onto her face. "Just go have fun, sweetheart."

Hannah could tell something was wrong. She looked over at her father.

Will also smiled at her, but was spared from saying anything by Mallory's arrival. Harry had let her in downstairs.

Hannah's eyes lit up when she saw her aunt.

She ran forward to give her a hug. "I thought you were coming to the beach today!"

"I'm going into town with your parents," Mallory said.

"Why?" Hannah asked.

"We have some things to talk about," Mallory said, tugging affectionately at Hannah's plait. "But, we'll be back soon."

"Promise?" Hannah asked.

"Promise," Mallory said giving her another hug.

"Hurry back," Hannah said to all of them.

Will gave his daughter a hug.

"See you later, love." Frankie said.

Hannah nodded. There was something going on here.

Frankie watched as Hannah headed out to the beach with her siblings and turned to Will and Mallory. "Let's get this over with."

"Right," Will said, taking her hand.

"If that bastard gets out..." Mallory began and then shook her head.

"It won't happen," Frankie said determinedly. "No one in their right mind would let him out."

"I hope not," Mallory said as they left the house.

Frankie would have felt so much more secure about this if this was taking place in a magical court.

"Perhaps it'll be open and shut and they won't even have to call us up to testify," Will said.

"He killed my sister," Mallory said. "He's not going to get out. He can't."

Frankie put a comforting hand on Mallory's arm. "I'm more scared for Hannah if he does."

Their oldest daughter had come so far these last few years. She had not had any nightmares in ages about her biological father. She was happy, she was healthy and she was safe.

It didn't take them long to get to the courthouse thanks to the use of magic. They had clued Mallory in on it a few years back and were surprised to discover she already knew about it because of Abbie.

Will squeezed his wife's hand as they made their way down the long corridor to the courtroom.

Mallory felt her palms grow sweaty at the thought of seeing David Wright again. She hadn't laid eyes on him since he made Abbie move away with him.

Will held the door open for his wife and Mallory. The two women stepped inside the small courtroom. Mallory was happy that David was not there yet.

"Let's sit in the back," Frankie said. "Then we can slip out if we have to."

Mallory nodded in agreement.

Will stood aside to let Mallory and his wife file in first. "It'll be okay," he said to Mallory.

Mallory gave him a half-hearted smile.

"After this, we'll go back to Hannah," Frankie said. "Maybe we'll all go out to dinner.... to celebrate."

"Right," Frankie said. She jumped when she felt someone's hand on her shoulder. She turned to see her father. "Dad!"

"Hi sweetheart," Neville smiled at her.

"What are you doing here?" Frankie asked.

"Support," he answered.

Frankie stood up and gave him a hug. "Thank you, Dad. I need all I can get."

"Your mother wanted to come but she wasn't feeling good," Neville said.

"I'm glad you're here," Frankie said sitting back down.

It was a few minutes later when the judge came into the room, followed by David Wright a few minutes after that. Frankie was floored at how different the man looked now.

He was clean-shaven and his hair was cut short. He wore a suit and tie and looked very much like a respectable man.

"That can hardly be him," Mallory muttered. "Are you kidding me?"

"It's all for show," Will whispered.

"It has to be," Frankie said.

David Wright turned and looked in their direction.

Frankie shuddered, but glared back at the man. She felt Mallory stiffen.

The judge entered the courtroom and David turned back around.

Will barely heard the judge call the court to order and saw the lawyers begin their statements. All he could think about was what this man had once done to his daughter.

"You have spent the last eight years in prison," the judge said to David Wright. "Your first year was quite troublesome, but you've apparently turned your life around, Mr. Wright. You've taken some university courses..."

"Yes Your Honour," David Wright bowed his head respectfully. "I've really worked on turning my life around, to make right what I've done."

Mallory gripped the arm of her chair. There was no way in the world he could make right what he'd done.

"You committed murder," the judge said. "Your wife. And you were also convicted on charges of child abuse, to your daughter."

David's shoulders slumped. "I--I regret that everyday, Your Honour. I was not myself. I was sick." David's attorney nodded his head in agreement.

"He knew exactly what he was doing," Frankie whispered furiously.

The attorney stood up and handed over some files that he said were psychological records.

"These records will show that David Wright was in a state of mental instability at the time of the murder."

The judge looked over the paperwork and Frankie resisted the urge to stand up and yell at the man to not buy this act.

Will looked over at his father in law. "I can't believe they're seriously considering this."

"The prosecution will present a solid case against it," Neville said.

"They'd better," Will said grimly.

The prosecutor stood up. "Your Honour, the defence can put up as many records as they want, but there's something that cannot be denied here. A woman died after being subjected to years of abuse at his hands. He terrified and abused his daughter."

Mallory squeezed her hands into fists and resisted the urge to jump up and throttle the man who sat there with just the slightest hint of a smirk on his face.

"I'd like to call William Barron down," the prosecutor said. "He legally adopted Abigail and David Wright's daughter, Hannah."

Will nodded and got up, heading towards the front of the courtroom.

He took a seat and the prosecutor approached him. "Can you tell the judge how Hannah was when you first met her years ago?"

"She was a terrified little girl," Will recalled. "At first, she wouldn't come near me, and only took to my wife."

"And did she tell you why she was afraid of you?" the prosecutor asked.

"Because she was scared of men," Will said. "After being abused by her father."

"And now?" the prosecutor asked. "How is she now?"

"Twelve," Will answered.

"She's active, and happy." Will replied. "Hasn't had a nightmare in years, and isn't afraid of anyone anymore."

"And how do you think she would react to her biological father being released from prison?" the prosecutor asked.

"I think she might revert," Will said honestly. "She's come a long way, but she hasn't forgotten what happened to her, or what she witnessed happen to her mother."

"Thank you, Mr. Barron," the prosecutor said. "You may step down."

Will nodded, his eyes meeting David's.

It took everything he had not to cross that room and strangle the man for all that he had done. He glared at him as he walked back to the rear of the courtroom to rejoin his wife.

"You were wonderful," Frankie whispered.

"Thanks," Will reached for her hand.

The prosecutor then called on Mallory, taking her by surprise.

"Just tell them what it was like," Frankie whispered to her.

Mallory nodded and slowly made her way to the stand. She could feel David Wright's gaze on her and she shuddered. She was not going to appear weak in front of him.

She would stand up strong, for both her niece and for her sister. Mallory forced herself to hold her head high as she stepped into the box.

"Miss Garrett, you and your sister were very close growing up, weren't you?" the prosecutor asked her.

Mallory nodded. "We were best friends."

"And what happened to change that?" the prosecutor asked her.

"She met him," Mallory said. "He charmed her... swept her off her feet. Then he took her away."

"He controlled her?" the prosecutor pressed.

"Yes," Mallory nodded. "She was scared to leave him. He told her she couldn't hide from him that he'd find her."

"And thanks to him, you never met your niece until a few years ago, correct?" the prosecutor asked.

"Around four years ago, yes." Mallory nodded. "I had moved to the states, but I know if he hadn't taken Abbie away then I would have been able to be part of Hannah's life all along." The tears that Mallory tried to fight away welled up in her eyes.

"And how do you feel about the prospect of David Wright being paroled?" the prosecutor asked gently.

"He should never be let out," Mallory said vehemently. "Not ever. What he did, he did in cold blood. There was never an ounce of insanity in him."

"Thank you, Miss Garrett," the prosecutor said.

Mallory wiped at her eyes and nodded.

Mallory walked purposely back to her seat, intentionally not looking at David Wright.

Frankie handed a tissue to the other woman. "Are you all right?"

Mallory nodded wordlessly.

Frankie put an arm around the other woman's slim shoulders. If the shoe were on the other foot, and it was her looking at Chiaki or Allison's murderer, she didn’t know what she'd do.

David's side called some character witnesses---old "friends" of his who claimed that they had seen quite a change in their old friend. Frankie did not know what she found harder to believe---that this bloke actually had friends or that the judge might actually buy this "changed man" routine.

"Liars," Frankie muttered.

The judge excused himself to deliberate. Frankie stood up and walked out of the courtroom needing some fresh air.

She was furious at the thought of this man being able to walk the streets, completely free.

She could still see that scared four-year old girl in Luna's kitchen, hiding under the table. She could remember the horror and anger she felt when she saw the bruises on Hannah's back.

Will came up behind his wife and put his hands on her shoulders. "You all right?"

Frankie shook her head. "No, not really."

"He's a bastard," Will said grimly. "A sneaky, lying bastard."

Frankie stared at the door to the courtroom, hoping for the best. There was no way a judge could let David Wright go free. No possible way.

Later that evening, Emma and Hannah were sitting on the patio while Ron cooked on the grill.
Emma had thought her parents and Mallory would be back sooner than this.

"If they don't come back, I get to eat their cheeseburger," Emma joked, trying to make her best friend laugh.

Hannah managed a tiny smile.

"And our sandcastle is still standing," Emma said. "And if I do say so myself, it's fabulous. Aunt Frankie and Uncle Will are going to love it."

"I hope so," Hannah sighed, glancing anxiously towards the door.

Izzie came up behind her sister and put her arms around her neck. "Hannah, where's Mummy?"

"I don't know, Izzie," Hannah said. "But I'm sure they'll be back soon, okay?"

Isabelle plopped down into Hannah's lap.

Hannah hugged her sister. "Are you hungry, Iz?"

Isabelle nodded. "Very."

"Come on," Hannah said. "We can get you a snack."

"Don't spoil your dinner, girls," Ron called out to them. "This is nearly ready."

"Just getting a quick bite," Hannah told him. "Izzie's really hungry."

Just outside the front door, Frankie and Mallory tried to get control of their emotions. Will put his arm around Frankie. "Frankie, it's going to be fine. He's---he has no idea where the beach house is or where we live."

"but he's out here, he could be anywhere!" Frankie said angrily.

The judge had granted David Wright parole to the disbelief of nearly everyone in the courtroom. David had to undergo weekly meetings with his probation officer and continue therapy, but he was free.

"I want to kill him myself," Mallory said furiously.

"Look, I'm just as upset as the two of you, but the important thing here is keeping Hannah safe," Will said.

Frankie and Mallory both nodded.

"And your dad said he was going to assign someone to watch him," Will said. "And like I said, he has no idea where we are."

"We'll just keep an extra close eye on Hannah," Frankie said. "I'm not letting her out of my sight."

"And we're all in agreement that we're not going to mention this to her?" Will asked.

"Right," Frankie nodded, looking at Mallory.

"Right," Mallory agreed.

"Good," Will said. "Come on..."

Frankie took a deep breath and opened the door. She found her two daughters in the kitchen, eating apple slices. "Mummy!" Isabelle squealed.

"Hi baby," Frankie smiled at her.

"You guys are finally home," Hannah said smiling at her parents and aunt. "We were worried."

"Our meeting ran late," Will replied.

"Uncle Ron's cooking on the grill," Hannah said. "It's nearly ready but Izzie was hungry so we were having a snack."

"We're just going to change and then we'll be down to eat," Will told them.

"Mummy, you have to see the sand castle Em and I made," Hannah said. "It's the best one yet---"

"Maybe tomorrow," Frankie said. "We'll all go out there together."

Hannah's face fell. "Oh."

Frankie patted her shoulder. "You stay here in the house and we will have dinner in the kitchen."

"You've been crying," Hannah said looking up at her.

"I'm just tired," Frankie said. "Our meeting was boring."

Hannah nodded and looked over at her aunt. "You too---what's going on?"

"Don't worry about it," Will told his daughter. "Why don't you two finish your apples and we'll be right down."

Hannah nodded. "Okay."

"That was close," Mallory said. "I need to get it together."

"Me too," Frankie said. "She's very intuitive. She reads people really well."

"Just like Abbie," Mallory said with a sigh. "Mind if I use the loo while you get changed?"

"Of course," Frankie replied. "Second door on your right."

"Thank you," Mallory said.

Once Frankie and Will were in their bedroom, Frankie hugged her husband tightly.

"I'm just as shocked as you are," Will said to her.

"Did you see that look he gave us?" Frankie asked.

"I wanted to punch his smug face in," Will admitted.

"Me too," Frankie said, closing her eyes and still seeing that smirk on David Wright's face.

"I guess we can hope it will only be a matter of time before he does something to violate his parole and then he'll be back in." Will said.

"I'll kill him if he lays one hand on her again," Frankie said determinedly.

"You and me both," Will said, changing into jeans and a long sleeved shirt.

Frankie changed her outfit and pulled her hair back into a ponytail. She had to put this behind her for Hannah's sake.

Mallory met them in the corridor. "I should probably get going--"

"Do you want to stay for dinner?" Frankie asked. "You shouldn't be alone, Mallory."

"Are you sure?" Mallory asked.

"Of course'" Frankie replied.

"Thank you," Mallory said gratefully. "You both have been so wonderful."

Frankie gave the other woman a hug. "You're family now."

Mallory smiled at her. Despite the rough start she and Frankie had gotten off to, in the past few years they'd gotten close.

"We'll get through this for Hannah," Frankie said.

Mallory nodded. "And we won't let him come near her."

Frankie nodded.

"I don't think we should tell her," Will said. "Let it play out, and she'll be back at school in a few months where he has no chance of getting near her."

"Right," Frankie agreed. "We want her to enjoy the holiday."

"Long as we're all in agreement," Will said.

"We are," Frankie said. "Will, can you put some extra wards on the house, too?"

"I'll talk to Harry," Will agreed.

From downstairs, they heard Ron call out that dinner was ready. Frankie wiped at her eyes. She wanted to put on a normal front for Hannah.

"Come on," Mallory straightened up. "Let's forget about David Wright for the rest of this evening and enjoy our time together."

"Right," Frankie said. She followed the two of them downstairs and said a silent prayer that everything would be okay.

*** *** ***

Darla used her wand to fold some of Rafe's clothes and place them neatly in his little suitcase. Her son was going to spend the next three days with
his father. Hans was leaving next weekend for a two week shoot and wanted to spend some time with his son before going.

Rafe was stuffing some other toys in his duffel bag when he looked up to see Ellie staring at him from the doorway.

"Do you really have to go?" she asked sadly.

"Yes," he said, hoping Ellie wasn't going to come hug him or anything.

Ellie's lower lip trembled. "But--"

"He won't be gone for more than a few days," Darla reassured the little girl.

"Promise?" Ellie asked Rafe.

"Yeah," Rafe replied. "I'll be back."

Ellie nodded. "Do you need some help?"

Rafe shook his head. "My mummy's packing me up."

"But thank you for asking, Ellie," Darla said smiling at the little girl.

"Don't leave without saying bye," Ellie told him.

Rafe sighed. "Okay."

Darla hid her smile from her son as Ellie ran out of the room. "You know Rafe... your aunt Maddie had a crush on your uncle Ethan when they were kids, and they wound up married."

"Eww," Rafe said scrunching up his nose.

Darla laughed. "Ethan fought it too."

"I'm never getting married, Mummy," Rafe said sitting down on his bed.

"You're going to stay with me forever?" Darla teased, closing his little suitcase.

Rafe nodded. "Yes!"

"I don't mind that," Darla sat next to him. "Liam and I are going to miss you so much."

Rafe leaned against his mother. "I want to see Daddy though."

"He's looking forward to spending time with you," Darla told her son. "Told me he was going to take you to the zoo."

Rafe grinned. "I can't wait!"

Darla hugged him to her. "Come on, let's get your things downstairs. Your dad will be by any minute."

Rafe smiled. "Okay, Mummy."

Rafe grabbed his bag while Darla took his suitcase. "Where's Liam?"

"Downstairs," Darla said.

"I have to go find him," Rafe said, setting his bag by the door.

Darla smiled as Rafe hurried for the kitchen. Liam was reading over the morning paper and having coffee.

Rafe threw himself at his soon to be stepfather. "I'm leaving soon!"

Liam grinned and lifted Rafe onto his lap. "I know, buddy. I'm going to miss you."

"It's only for a few days," Rafe said.

"We'll still miss you," Liam said.

Rafe gave him a hug. "Dad's taking me to the zoo."

"I heard," Liam said. "You promise to say hello to the monkeys for me?"

Rafe laughed. "Okay."

"Darla?" Hans called out from the sitting room. Rafe grinned. "Daddy's here!"

Liam set the little boy down and he went running out of the kitchen.

Hans' face lit up when he saw his son. "There's my boy!"

"Hi Daddy," Rafe held his arms out.

Hans picked him up and hugged him tightly. "Hi, Rafe!"

"Mummy said we're going to the zoo," Rafe said excitedly.

"Yes, and we're going to see Opa and Oma," Hans said referring to his parents. "They are so excited to see you."

"Right now?" Rafe asked.

Hans nodded. "We'll be staying with them."

Rafe grinned. "Let's go!"

Darla and Liam entered the room and Hans set Rafe down. "Just a second, mate."

"Hi Hans," Darla smiled at her ex husband.

"Darla," Hans said, nodding at her. "Liam."

"Nice to see you, Hans." Liam said. "How are things?"

"Good," Hans said. This was the first time he had seen Darla and Liam since he had heard of their engagement.

"Rafe is all packed," Darla told him. "He's been so excited about this."

"Me too," Hans said. "I've missed him."

Ellie came running into the room. "Rafe, you can't leave without saying bye!"

"This your girlfriend, mate?" Hans asked with a grin.

"No," Rafe scowled.

Ellie nodded. "Yes."

"Am not," Rafe denied.

"We've gone out on dates," Ellie said. "And he sits beside me at dinner!"

"We have not," Rafe said, his face gone red.

Ellie just grinned in response. Before Rafe could stop her, she pecked him on the cheek.

"Gross," Rafe wiped it off.

"Bring me something back, 'kay?" she asked him.

"Maybe," Rafe muttered.

Ellie hurried upstairs and Hans just grinned. "That's my boy."

Darla hugged her son again. "You have fun and behave for your father. No hiding your shoes."

"Okay, Mummy," Rafe promised.

"I'll see you in a few days," Darla kissed his cheek. "I love you, sweetheart."

"Love you too," Rafe said. He stepped over to give Liam a hug, too.

Darla walked over to Hans. "You can owl me if you need anything, Hans."

"I will," he nodded. "Thanks, Dar."

"How's Michelle?" Darla asked.

"She's fine," Hans answered. "Looking forward to seeing this little guy here."

"He likes her you know," Darla said.

Hans smiled. "I know. I'm glad."

"Me too," Hans said. "And I guess congratulations are in order for you."

Darla nodded. "We're going to have a quick small wedding."

"I'm happy for you," Hans said sincerely. "He's a good bloke."

"I know," Darla looked back at her fiancé. "Thank you, Hans. That means a lot to me."

Hans nodded. "Well, Rafe and I better get going. Come on, Rafe!"

Rafe grabbed his bag. "Let's go!"

Darla gave her son one last hug before she watched him go.

Liam put his arm around her. "All right?"

Darla nodded. "I just miss him when he's gone."

"I do too," Liam said. "So that's why tonight, we're going out, just the two of us... to take our minds off it.

"Liam," Darla smiled.

"It's only a few days, right?" he said.

"Right," Darla said. Upstairs, Saffron was trying to tell Ellie the same thing.

"He will be back before you know it, sweetheart," Saffron said smoothing Ellie's brown hair.

"I miss him already," Ellie said.

"I know," Saffron said. "But you still have your cousins here."

"And Gwyn," Ellie said.

"Your partner in crime," Saffron said tickling Ellie's side.

Ellie giggled. "Mummy!"

"There's that smile I love so much," Saffron said grinning at her.

"Can you take me and Gwyn to the beach?" Ellie asked.

"I can," Saffron replied. "In fact.." The phone ringing cut her off. She reached for the phone. "Hello?"

"Saffy?" a familiar voice came over the line.

"Do my ears deceive me?" Saffron teased.

"Very funny," Alexa replied. "I've missed you."

"I've missed you too," Saffron said. "Where are you calling from?"

"I'm in Malaysia," Alexa replied. "Tomorrow I leave for New Zealand."

"Wow!" Saffron exclaimed.

"Who is it Mummy?" Ellie asked.

Saffron grinned and handed her daughter the phone.

"Hello?" Ellie asked.

"Hi, Ellie!" Alexa said happily. "Sweetheart, it's your Aunt Lexie!"

"Hi Aunt Lexie!" Ellie's face lit up. "Are you coming to see us?"

"Soon," Alexa promised. "But I'm working really hard right now."

"What are you doing?" Ellie asked.

"Writing stories for the paper," Alexa said. "And getting you souvenirs."

"What's sou...veers?" Ellie asked.

Alexa laughed. "Sorry, El. Gifts from the places I'm travelling to."

"Ooooh," Ellie said. "I love presents."

"I know you do," Alexa said. "So, how's your mummy been?"

"Good," Ellie said. "And Daddy and Edward are good too."

"And your Uncle RJ?" Alexa asked.

"He's good too," Ellie said. "He's getting married to Audrey!"

"I know," Alexa said. "And I hear someone's going to be in the wedding..."

"Flower girl!" Ellie sang happily.

"You're going to be the prettiest flower girl in the world," Alexa said.

Ellie giggled. "Thank you." she handed the phone back to her mother.

"Hi Lexie," Saffron said. "It's so good to hear from you. I really have missed you."

"I've missed you too, Saf," Alexa said. "But I promise to visit soon."

"I'm holding you to that," Saffron said.

"I know you will," Alexa said. "And you give Edward a kiss from his Aunt Lexie."

"I will," Saffron nodded. "Call again soon. RJ would love to talk to you. Gabe is here too, actually."

"Oh?" Alexa asked.

"Yeah," Saffron replied. "He's same old Gabe... nose buried in a book."

"Don't give him such a hard time," Alexa said. "I understand now a little more about how driven he is."

"I love teasing him," Saffron said. "And apparently he's seeing a girl named Melanie."

"I'll have to grill him about that when I talk to him next," Alexa said.

Saffron laughed. "Well just let me know when you're planning on coming home. I'd come to you, except it's hard with two kids."

"I know," Alexa said. "You'll be the first to know. Look, I have to go, but have some fun for me, okay?"

"I will," Saffron said. "Take care, Lexie."

Saffron set her phone aside and looked at her daughter. "So, you and I have something in common, Ellie. Our best friends are away and we miss them very much."

"I miss him, Mummy." Ellie said.

"I know you do, baby," Saffron said hugging her. "And you know what we can do before he comes back? How about we make his favourite biscuits?"

Ellie's grin spread across her little face. "And some for everyone else?"

"Yes," Saffron said grinning back at her. "What is his favourite biscuit, by the way?"

"Peanut butter," Ellie said promptly.

Saffron grinned. "It will be a great way to welcome him home."

Ellie reached for her mother.

"I know it doesn't seem like it," Saffron said pulling her into her lap. "But he'll back before you know it."

"I'll have fun with Gwyn too," Ellie said.

Saffron tickled her side. "You always have fun with Gwyn."

"She's my best friend with Rafe," Ellie explained.

Saffron tweaked Ellie's nose. "Well, how about we go and find her and go out to the beach?"

"Okay," Ellie agreed.

"Feel better?" Saffron asked.

Ellie nodded. "A lot."

"That's my girl," Saffron said picking her up. "And maybe we'll send some biscuits to Lexie, too."

"As long as Uncle RJ doesn't sneak them all," Ellie said mischievously.

"Mummy will turn him into a frog if he does," Saffron said with a grin.

Ellie giggled.

Saffron laughed. "You like that idea?"

"Yes I do," Ellie replied as Saffron carried her outside.

"Hi, Grandma!" Ellie said when they saw Hermione sitting on the patio reading a book.

"Hello, love." Hermione smiled at them. "Are you off to the beach?"

Ellie nodded. "To find Gwynnie."

"I think she's in the water with Kiera," Hermione replied.

"Where's Dad?" Saffron asked.

"He went with Ron and Neville on the boat," Hermione answered.

Saffron nodded. "Ellie was feeling a little sad since Rafe left to spend some time with his dad."

Hermione nodded. "I understand, sweetheart."

Ellie smiled. "Do you miss Grandpa when he goes away to catch the bad guys?"

"Always," Hermione replied.

Ellie slid off of Saffron's lap. "Mummy, I'm going to sit on the steps and wait for Gwynnie and Kiera, 'kay?"

"Okay, baby." Saffron said.

Saffron looked at the book her mother was reading. "Look at you. Reading for pleasure! You haven't been able to do that for quite some time!"

"It is nice to sit and relax," Hermione agreed.

"It agrees with you," Saffron said. "You look more at ease."

Hermione smiled. "That and your father and I have finally had more than just a few hours with each other."

"How's he doing?" Saffron asked. "I know the papers have been merciless with him."

"He's all right," Hermione said, gazing at the ocean. "I'm going to have to rethink my position on Josephine if this is how she handles personal matters."

"At least Dad hasn't sunk to her level," Saffron commented.

"No," Hermione shook her head. "He's learned that lesson."

"You're his voice of reason," Saffron said.

"Someone has to be," Hermione looked over at her daughter.

Saffron grinned. "Andrew's mine."

Hermione laughed. "He certainly is. Where is he this afternoon?"

"He took Edward out to play on the beach," Saffron said. "Ellie was going to go with them, but she stuck around to say goodbye to Rafe."

"That's sweet," Hermione said. "You don't have to stay here if you don't want to- you can take her over to play."

Saffron nodded. "I'll leave you to your book."

"Oh," Hermione said. "I thought we could surprise everyone and make dinner tonight. You, me, Julie and Maddie?"

Saffron grinned. "That's a great idea, Mum."

"We'll start in a few hours," Hermione replied.

"Deal," Saffron said giving her mother's hand a squeeze.

"Come on, El." Saffron said to her daughter. "Let's go find Daddy and Edward."

Ellie stood up. "'kay!"

Hermione watched her daughter cross the street with Ellie.

It was surreal at times to see her children with children of their own. But, Hermione was proud of the people they had become.

Life was almost perfect right now, she realised. Even though Harry had some troubles and she always had situations to diffuse and budgets to prepare, they were happy together.

The few days that they had been in Brighton were like the early days of their marriage. She had started to entertain the idea of stepping down as minister to devote more time to her family.

She would miss the job, should she step down. Part of her did enjoy the meetings, the events... even the planning of budgets. But she hated the paparazzi and the constant attempts of the Prophet to see her fall.

There were still a lot of people out there that thought she was inferior because she was Muggle-born. After all this time, it was hard to believe that people still felt that way.

Hermione leaned back on the bench and closed her eyes, taking a deep breath. She didn't want to think of work right now.

Right now, she was content to live in the moment and she liked that the biggest decision she would make today would be what to prepare for dinner.

*************

Reader Questions for this week....

(1) Would you ever consider writing a chapter like the Friends episode "the one that could have been"? Possible options could be different couples like Josh/Julie, Josh/Allie, Alexa/RJ, Saffy/Sean, etc, Hope and Gregory being alive, different jobs, Harry as Hogwarts Headmaster and other stranger things.

We haven't thought of doing anything like that, and it isn't in the works, at least not now. Never say never, though!

(2) Don't really have a proper question this week except the long overdue reentry of Alexa. We haven't even seen the phone call yet so I wonder when it'll be when we actually see her. Any chance before the hiatus? In one of the sneak peeks in orkut you had mentioned Alexa's life will take a turn for the better after the time jump?

You get to see Alexa's phone call tonight, but she won't reenter the story before the hiatus, sorry!

(3) Jerks on the beach to Katie and Caroline, at least it didnt get out of hand. Me thinks Bradley might have a fancy for our ickle Caroline Wouldn't that be a slap in the face for Katie?

Maybe he likes her, maybe he doesn't. You'll have to wait and find out!

(4) What inspires the story lines you've created?

Sometimes real life, sometimes a dream... sometimes its' a random idea that hits us in the middle of the day at work.

(5) Which of the male characters in the story would you like to be in a relationship with?

For Heaven---it would be Andrew or Will.

For Amy---it would be Andrew Will or Jon.

(6) Will Chiaki's family make an appearance? What are they doing at this time?

They're around but Chiaki prefers to stay out of the spotlight and away from the drama ;-)

348. Chapter 348 Ashley Lets Loose

Authors' note: Well, this is the last chapter you guys will get until probably end of July--first part of August. We want to thank you guys for understanding and we do plan to be back with some really interesting stories---especially with Harry/Hermione. We will update 'Affairs' when we can, as well. Thanks so much for reading!

Katie hadn't been able to think about much other than Bradley for the past few days. She'd gone back to the ice cream stand but he hadn't been working. "Tell me more about him," she said to Caroline. "All you've said is you know him at school."

"He's really smart," Caroline told her. "And he showed me this really cool trick on a broom. He's a fantastic Quidditch player."

Katie's eyes gleamed. "I love Quidditch players."

Caroline laughed. "Katie, you don't know anything about Quidditch."

"It's not tough to learn," Katie waved that concern away.

"Why do I have a feeling that you'll be at Ravenclaw's first match?" Caroline teased.

"Cheering my soon to be boyfriend on," Katie said confidently.

"Well, maybe you'll have classes with him this term," Caroline told her.

"That's true," Katie said. "He IS in my year..."

"You could cheer me on too," Caroline said. "But then again, you wouldn't want to cheer on a Gryffindor."

Katie laughed. "You're just silly..."

Carolina laughed, too. "I'm still learning. But, I'm getting better. My parents have taught me a lot."

"Your dad used to teach flying, didn't he?" Katie asked.

Caroline nodded. "He's brilliant."

"Hmm..." Katie nodded, looking back to the ice cream stand again.

What kind of schedule did Bradley keep, she wondered. Well, she was going to find that out next time she saw him. "I'm going to go back to the house to get a drink. Do you want anything?" Katie asked her.

"I'm okay," Caroline replied. "Thanks."

Katie sauntered back to the house and Caroline looked out at the water. It was so peaceful and calm this afternoon. She stood up and walked toward the water wanting to get her feet wet.

The water was cold at first but it warmed up quickly. She closed her eyes for a moment and breathed in the sea air.

"You going for a swim?" a boy's voice asked from behind her.

Caroline jumped. "Bradley!"

He smiled. "Sorry. I didn't mean to startle you!"

"It's okay," Caroline answered. "No, I wasn't going for a swim."

"I was walking back home and I saw you," he said. "I thought I'd say hello."

"My friend Katie was looking for you," Caroline said. "We thought you'd be working."

"I work later this afternoon," he told her.

"I have to bring my sister by," Caroline said. "Emma."

"The one that you said likes to eat," Bradley recalled. "Right?"

Caroline laughed. "That's the one. She's coming to Hogwarts this year."

"The house elves are going to have to work even harder to keep up with her," Bradley said.

"She's going to give them a run for it," Caroline agreed. "She'll pretty much live in the kitchens."

"Maybe they can set up a bed for her down there," Bradley joked. He smiled at Caroline in such a way that she felt a flutter in her stomach.

"Um... maybe they should," she agreed with a smile.

"So," Bradley said to her. "Are you enjoying your summer?"

"So far," Caroline nodded. "The weather is really nice this year."

Bradley nodded in agreement. "Have you had a chance to go the arcade?"

"With my parents and my brother and sisters," Caroline said. "the other night."

"I go there all the time," Bradley told her. "I was wondering if maybe you'd want to..."

"Well hello there," Katie said, coming up behind them.

Bradley turned. "Oh...hi, Katie."

"I've been in the mood for ice cream but my favourite ice cream bloke hasn't been around," Katie flirted.

"I'm going to be around this afternoon," he told her. "If you and Caroline want to stop by."

"Oh we definitely will," Katie purred, touching his arm.

Bradley smiled. "I'll see you later then."

"In just a little while," Katie promised, letting her fingers trail over his skin.

"I hope so," Bradley said looking pointedly at Caroline.

Caroline smiled shyly and looked back out at the water.

Bradley waved at them before heading down the shore. Katie tossed her hair over her shoulder and nudged her best friend. "He soooooo fancies me. You have to tell me EVERYTHING he said."

Caroline shrugged. "Basically we just talked about how Em wants to go there for ice cream and how she's going to live in the kitchens at Hogwarts."

Katie frowned. "That's all?"

"He was only there for a few minutes," Caroline explained.

Katie sighed. "I should never have gone for a drink. Merlin, Caroline...he's so yummy."

"He is cute," Caroline agreed.

Katie grinned. "And maybe he has a friend that would take you out, too."

Caroline shrugged. "I don't even know if my parents would let me go out."

"We'll work on them," Katie said confidently. Truth be told, she wasn't sure her parents would let her go out, either.

"It's okay," Caroline replied.

Katie linked her arm in Caroline's. "I'm so glad that we're friends again. Summer hols would have been so boring without you." And, Katie thought silently, I never would have met Bradley had it not been for Caroline.

"It has been fun," Caroline had to agree.

"I have a brilliant idea," Katie said. "How about we walk into town and go shopping? I need a new dress and you said you wanted to get a new book or something, right? Then, we can go by the ice cream stand later and see Bradley?"

"Okay," Caroline said. "We just have to remember to get Emma before we go for ice cream."

"Absolutely," Katie agreed.

Caroline grinned. "Let me go tell my parents."

Katie nodded. "Me, too."

"This will be fun," Caroline said.

Katie could not have agreed more. She hurried upstairs to find her parents, but ran into her sister instead. "Hiya, Ash. You seen Mum and Dad?"

Ashley nodded. "They went to the arcade."

Katie frowned. "Oh, well, if you see them, tell them I'm going into town with Caroline."

"You might see them there," Ashley replied.

"What are you up to then?" Katie asked.

"I'm heading out in a little while with Zander and Brit," Ashley said.

"Has Uncle Ethan found out anything?" Katie asked.

Ashley shookher head.

Katie shrugged. "Well, its early days. Maybe he'll get a lead on that 'agent'."

"I hope so," Ashley said, grabbing a jumper.

Ashley said goodbye to her sister and headed off down the beach toward Zander and Brittany's house.

She and Zander had decided to take Brittany into town and treat her to dinner and then possibly a movie to try and cheer her up.

Zander's mother let her into the house and Ashley made some small talk with her before heading upstairs to see her best friends.

"Hey," Ashley knocked on Brittany's door frame.

"Hi," Brittany said, offering her a half-hearted smile.

"Are you okay?" Ashley asked.

"I'm comforting myself with the thought that at least I don't have to go back to Hogwarts and face everyone," Brittany said, hugging her pillow.

"Come on Brit," Ashley said. "No one would take the Mickey for this.

"They would," Brittany argued. "They should."

"No, they shouldn't," Ashley said firmly.

"I feel like such a fool," Brittany said.

"You were excited," Ashley reasoned, sitting on the edge of the bed.

Brittany nodded. "I know that I'm nowhere near as smart as you or as creative as Zander. I got by in my classes. I honestly had no idea what I was going to do with the rest of my life. And then there's this bloke telling me everything I ever wanted to hear."

"You are too, smart." Ashley said. "You're funny and creative."

"You're my best friend," Brittany pointed out. "You're obligated to say stuff like that."

"I say it because it's true," Ashley replied.

Brittany smiled. "Thanks."

"Come on," Ashley said. "Tonight's on me and Zander. We'll go have some fun."

Brittany wiped at her eyes. "Okay."

Ashley put an arm around her friend. "It'll be okay."

Zander stepped into the room. "Hey, Ash. Mum told me you were here."

"I just got in," Ashley said. He wore a simple t shirt and jeans and she secretly thought he looked fantastic.

"I'm going to freshen up a bit," Brittany said. "I'll meet you two downstairs."

"Okay," Zander said.

Ashley followed Zander out of Brittany's room. "How is she really?" Ashley asked in a low voice.

Zander shrugged. "She stays in her room a lot."

"Uncle Ethan isn't sure they'll be able to catch this guy," Ashley said, shaking her head.

"Really?" Zander asked.

Ashley nodded. "He said he has a connection in the Muggle police that he's going to work with though. So maybe there's a chance..."

"I hope they figure it out," Zander replied.

"Me too," Ashley said sitting down on the sofa. "I mean, they probably can't get her money back, but he needs to be punished so some other girl doesn't fall prey to him.

"Right," Zander nodded. "Bloody jerk."

"Has she heard from Evan?" Ashley asked.

"I don't know," Zander said. "I haven't asked, actually."

Ashley nodded. "Well, tonight, we'll get her mind off her troubles. No wallowing about this. In fact, we won't even bring it up."

"Sure," Zander nodded. "Think we'll be back early?"

Ashley shrugged. "I'm not sure. Why?"

"I... sort of met someone on the beach today," Zander mumbled. "Promised I'd see her later."

The smile on Ashley's face fell. "Oh..."

"We're going for a walk," Zander said.

Ashley nodded, trying to hide her disappointment. "That's nice.

"She was cool," Zander said, looking over at her.

Ashley did not meet his gaze. She really should not feel jealous about this. She had Kevin after all.

"So maybe we can cut out after dinner?" he asked.

"Yeah," Ashley said with mock enthusiasm.

"Cool," he smiled at her. "Thanks."

To Ashley's relief, Brittany came downstairs. "Ready?" she asked, moving past Zander.

"Yeah," Ashley replied.

"I needed this," Brittany told them. "Thank you, both of you."

Ashley put her arm around her. "Of course. Come on. I'm starving."

"Where's Evan?" Zander asked. "I thought he might be around..."

"He's coming on Friday," Brittany replied.

"Kevin is coming back to England on Thursday night for a few shows," Ashley said. "He's going to try and come here for the weekend."

This time, it was Zander who seemed surprised. "Oh?"

"I just found out today," Ashley explained.

"Think it might be able to get us some extra tickets for one of the shows?" Brittany asked.

"I can ask," Ashley said. "It could be fun."

Zander silently followed them out of the house.

He didn't like the way he was feeling. He told himself he had no right to feel jealous about Ashley and Kevin.

If Kevin wanted to visit his girlfriend, he was perfectly able to do so. And if it made Ashley happy, that's all that mattered. Besides, Kevin was a great bloke. It would be a whole lot easier if he wasn't.

He thought of the girl he'd met on the beach, Zoey. She seemed interesting and funny.

And, Zander thought, she was single. Completely unattached. If Ashley wanted to be with him, she would have told Kevin. But, she hadn't. She and Kevin seemed happy together. That could only mean one thing---that night in the classroom had been a mistake.

"Come on, Zander," Brittany looked behind her.

"Yeah, yeah," Zander grumbled.

Ashley glanced back at him. "Where did you want to eat?"

"Doesn't matter," Zander replied.

"One of those places near the arcade would be good," Ashley said. "They aren't too expensive."

"I want something greasy and something that's no good for me," Brittany replied. "There's no reason to watch my figure now."

"Come on," Ashley said. "You can still model."

"Ash is right," Zander told her. "You can have photos taken by a legit photographer. Go about this the right way."

Brittany just shrugged.

"If this is your dream, you should try and pursue it," Ashley said.

"I guess I just feel really discouraged right now," Brittany admitted.

"It's one setback," Ashley said. "Truth be told, it's a big setback. But that bloke was a con artist, Brit."

"And I'm an idiot that fell for everything he had to say," Brittany replied.

"No, you're not," Zander argued. "Come on. We're not going to do this, remember? No talk about this tonight."

"Zander's right," Ashley agreed.

Brittany laughed. "It happens so rarely."

"True," Ashley grinned.

"Hey!" Zander protested.

"Just being honest," Ashley said.

"I missed the letter where this was 'Heap Abuse on Zander'," Zander said.

"It makes me feel better," Brittany teased.

"Me too," Ashley giggled.

"Great," Zander shook his head, but he grinned.

"And he's paying for dinner," Brittany said.

"I thought Ash and I were both paying," Zander objected.

"Oh, well you'll buy me ice cream or something later," Brittany said nudging him.

"I have to leave after dinner," Zander said. "I'm meeting that girl, Zoey."
"Zander and Zoey?" Brittany asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Shut it," Zander told her.

"That's adorable," Brittany said dryly.

"Very cute," Ashley chimed in.

"Very funny, both of you," Zander replied.

"Ash and I make a great team," Brittany said linking her arm with Ashley's.

Ashley smiled at her. "We sure do."

Zander held the door the restaurant for them. "In with you two jolly jokers..."

"I'm going to miss this," Ashley said when they sat down.

"We'll still---" Brittany started to say, but her voice trailed off. She had almost forgotten about Ashley's trip.

"It'll be a year," Ashley said softly.

"I can't believe we're not going to see you for a whole year," Brittany said.

"It's going to be strange," Ashley said.

"When do you go?" Zander asked quietly.

"August," Ashley said.

"That's not that far away," Brittany said.

"It'll be here before we know it," Ashley grabbed a menu. "I'm really excited, but I'm going to miss everyone."

Zander picked up his menu and tried not to think about it. The idea of not seeing her for an entire year was nearly unbearable.

"I'm going to Rome," Ashley said. "And Paris... we're spending around three weeks there, and I want to go to the Louvre as much as possible."

"What about Greece?" Brittany asked. "I've always wanted to go there."

"Santorini for a few days," Ashley nodded.

"You'll write of course," Brittany said. "And buy me lots of cool stuff."

"And tell all the cute blokes about you," Ashley smiled.

"We won't tell Evan you said that," Zander said.

"Just in case," Brittany said. "I do need a backup plan."

Zander and Ashley shared a look.

"Just in case," Brittany replied.

"Okay," Zander said. "Do you two know what you want? I'll go up and place the order."

"I'll have a burger," Ashley said. "Chips too."

"Me too," Brittany said. "And a lemonade."

"Come on," Zander said. "We're 18... how about a glass of wine or a pint or something?"

"You trying to get us drunk, Murray?" Ashley asked teasingly.

"Might make the evening more fun for me," Zander returned.

"Okay then," Ashley said feeling adventurous. "Surprise us."

"Okay," Brittany agreed.

"Alright," Zander grinned. "I'll be back."

Ashley looked over at Brittany. "I hope he doesn't get us something gross."

"I'm sure he won't," Brittany said. "He's right though. We are 18. Legally adults. Time to start acting like it, right?"

Ashley nodded. "You're right."

Ashley decided to have some fun tonight with her best friends. Tonight, she would throw caution to the wind and not think about her trip or random girls named Zoey who just picked up boys on the beach.

"After this, maybe you and I should go down the road to that club," Ashley suggested.

"What club?" Brittany asked.

"I think it's new," Ashley replied. "I don't remember seeing it before."

"Miss Malfoy," Brittany said as Zander returned to the table with their drinks. "I like that idea."

"What idea?" Zander asked.

"Going dancing at the club down the road," Brittany said.

"Oh," Zander said. "Okay... well... I've got white wine for you, Ash, and the bloke up there said this merlot was good, so I got it for Brit."

"Thanks," Ashley said her hand grazing his as she took the glass.

Zander's eyes met hers as he sat back down.

Ashley smiled and nervously took a sip of the wine.

"This is good," she said. "Thanks, Zander."

"You're welcome," Zander said, his eyes still on her.

"I like mine too," Brittany said, oblivious to her cousin and best friend.

"It's perfect," Ashley said softly.

"Good," Zander said, his hands around the pint of ale he'd gotten for himself. "Um... our food should be out soon."

"I can't wait," Ashley said. Wait, she thought to herself. Were she and Zander--flirting?

Zander seemed to be thinking the same thing, but looked slightly uncomfortable. "So... tell me more about this club."

"I don't know much about it," Ashley admitted. "Besides, you're going to be with that Zoey, aren't you?"

"Yeah," Zander replied. "But it might be fun to go there later."

"Here, here!" Brittany agreed.

"We want to get our dance on," Ashley said with a grin.

Brittany giggled. "Yes, we do."

Zander shook his head. “I don’t know if I should leave you two…”

Brittany drained her glass. "Get me another one of those!"

"Take it easy," Zander said. "That's merlot."

"More!" Brittany said handing him her glass.

"All right," Zander replied. "Ash?"

Ashley nodded. "Yes, please."

"Second round it is," Zander headed for the bar.

Nearly an hour later, Zander was helping the two girls out of the restaurant. Brittany giggled as Ashley stumbled over the steps.

"Uh oh," Ashley laughed. "I fell!"

Zander let go of his cousin to check on Ashley. He offered her his hand.

"Thanks," she said, still laughing.

Zander helped her to her feet. He knew he should have cut the two of them off after two glasses. Ashley put her arms around him. "You smell like...like the ocean!"

"I do?" he asked, amused.

"That's cause we're outside!" Brittany giggled. "Normally, he smells like a...like a...wet dog!"

"Ew," Ashley wrinkled her nose.

"All right," Zander said, disentangling himself from Ashley. "Let's get you two home."

"Nuhhh uh!" Ashley said. "We're going dancing!"

"Dancing?" Zander asked. "The two of you can barely stand..."

"We'll be just... fine..." Ashley said, as Brittany latched onto her arm.

"Go hang out with Zoooooey," Brittany said dismissively.

"Just promise me you won't go off with some strange blokes," Zander said.

"You're a strange bloke," Brittany giggled.

"Very funny," Zander said. "Just don't do anything stupid."

Brittany and Ashley just giggled as they headed down the boardwalk. Zander watched them for a second. He knew that Zoey would be waiting for him, but he was not so sure about leaving his cousin and best friend alone like this.

Perhaps he'd be able to convince Zoey to go to the club with him so he could keep an eye on them and spend time with her.

Zander hurried behind one of the stands and Apparated.

"Oooooh," Brittany said. "This place is NEAT!"

Ashley nodded and grabbed her friend's hand. "Let's dance!"

"YES!" Brittany agreed enthusiastically.

While Brittany and Ashley enjoyed the dance club, Zander was hurriedly trying to make it to the club to check on his friends. This would have been so much easier if Zoey were magical and they could just Apparate back to the club. But, she was a Muggle and was wearing the highest pair of heels he'd ever seen. "What's the rush?" she called out to him.

"It's just a neat place," Zander said. "And I want to get there before it gets too crowded."

Zoey stopped for a moment to take off her shoes. "I'll be able to walk faster now."

"I can carry them for you," he offered."

Zoey smiled. "That's okay. I've got them."

He took her free hand and they hurried down the pavement.

The club was packed when they arrived. It did not help matters that the club was dark and the music was loud. "Do you want to get a drink?" Zoey shouted over the music.

"WHAT?" Zander hollered.

"DO YOU WANT A DRINK?" Zoey shouted in his ear.

"SURE!" Zander said, leading her to where he thought the bar was. He kept his eyes peeled for Ashley and Brittany.

Zander scanned the bar for any sign of his friends, but could not see them. He motioned for the bartender. "Hey! I'm looking for a blonde..."

"Aren't we all, mate?" the bartender asked.

Zander sighed. "She's about this tall..." He motioned with his hand. "Was wearing a red sundress..."

"You mean that fox over there?" the bartender pointed.

Zander turned and his jaw dropped. Ashley was dancing on one of the tables.

"Is that someone you know?" Zoey asked.

Zander ignored her as he hurried across the room. "ASHLEY!" he hollered up at her. "GET DOWN FROM THERE!"

"Oh..." Ashley laughed. "Hi Zander. The view is GREAT from up here!"

Zander reached for her, but she pushed him away. He was going to kill Brittany when he saw her. "ASHLEY BETH MALFOY! GET DOWN RIGHT NOW!"

"Hey," an arm shoved him back. "Leave her alone."

Zander turned. "Who the hell are you?"

"With her," the bloke sneered at him.

Zander glared at him. Ashley knelt down and mussed his hair. "Zander...Zander....Dander.."

"Come on," he said. "Where's Brit?"

Zoey tapped him on the shoulder. "Zander! What's going on?"

"I'm sorry," he said. "This is one of my friends, and she's completely pissed."

Ashley grinned and waved at her. "Zoo!"

"I beg your pardon?" Zoey asked.

"Zoooooooooooooooooooooooey!" Ashley giggled, jumping off the table into the burly bloke's arms. "Ooooh! You caught me!"

"I sure did, baby." he grinned.

Ashley giggled. "I want another one of those pink drinks!"

"I've got one for you," the bloke said.
"I don't think so," Zander said. "See you later, mate."

The bloke ignored Zander and tightened his grip on Ashley's arm.

"Come on, Ash." Zander said firmly.

The bloke set Ashley down and she looked helplessly at Zander. "I--I don't feel so good..."

"Come on," Zander said. "Where's Brit?"

"Dancing over there," Ashley leaned against him.

"Come on," he said. "Zoey... I'm sorry."

Zoey folded her arms and glared at him.

"I really am," he said. "This isn't what I thought tonight would be."

"Me either," Zoey muttered. Ashley tugged on Zander's arm. "I really feel sick..."

"Come on," Zander hauled her to the door.

Ashley leaned against him.

"Come on," he said again.

"Looks like you have your hands full," Zoey said before turning and walking in the other direction.

"Damn it," Zander sighed.

Ashley looked at him, her face pale. "I'm so sorry, Zander."

"It's all right," he muttered. "Come on, you need fresh air."

Zander helped Ashley outside. "Stay here, okay? I need to go and get Brit."

"I don't think I can move," Ashley replied.

Zander nodded. "I'll be right back."

"Okay," Ashley whimpered.

Ashley leaned back on the bench and closed her eyes.

WHY had she gone and had those shots at the bar? That on top of the wine was making her head spin in circles.

The events of that evening were starting to blur. She did know one thing---her parents were probably not going to be too happy with her.

"Come ON," Zander yanked Brittany out of the club.

Brittany looked about as bad as Ashley felt. "Don't yell!" Brittany winced.

"Thanks," Zander said. "Both of you."

Brittany sank onto the bench beside Ashley.

"Apparently I can't leave you two alone," Zander said. "And now my date left."

"What date?" Brittany mumbled.

"Zoey," he said impatiently.

"I'm sorry," Ashley said in a small voice.

"Yeah," Zander said. "Whatever. Let's get you both home."

Ashley felt horrible and not just because of the alcohol. This was the second time she had ruined things for Zander.

Brittany struggled to her feet. "I can't walk."

Zander sighed. He thought briefly of Apparating both of them, but he was worried the two girls would splinch themselves.

"I'll help you walk," he said, glancing one more time at the club.

Brittany nodded. "Thanks," she said weakly.

Zander didn't say anything else on the way home. He was angry at both of them.

Katie and Caroline were sitting on the patio when Zander, Brittany and Ashley arrived at the Potter beach house. Katie's eyes grew large when she saw her sister. "Ashley!"

Ashley winced. "Don't talk so loudly."

"She and Brit had too much to drink," Zander said.

Katie's eyes grew even wider. "You were DRINKING?"
"I AM 18," Ashley said irritably. "I can drink if I want to."

Katie stepped closer. "You smell like a brewery!"

"Go away," Ashley swatted at her.

"I need to get Brit home," Zander said to Katie. "Can you take it from here?"

"Sure," Katie nodded.

"Thank you," Zander said gratefully. He looked at Ashley. "Try and get some sleep, okay?"

Ashley nodded. "Sorry, Zander."

"Yeah," Zander said. "Me too."

"Sorry for what?" Katie asked her sister.

Ashley sank down on one of the chaise lounges after Zander and Brittany left.

"Ash?" Katie asked again.

"Just leave me be," Ashley waved them off.

"You can't stay out here," Katie told her. "Mum and Dad are already upstairs in their room."

"I need some fresh air," Ashley muttered. "My head is spinning."

"Do you want some water?" Caroline asked.

"Sure," Ashley replied quietly.

"Thanks, Caroline," Katie said.

Caroline leaned close to Katie. "Should I get Saffy?"

Ashley did not answer, but Katie nodded. She knew their aunt would know just what to do.

Caroline hurried inside and knocked on Andrew and Saffron's bedroom door. She hoped they weren't already asleep.

Saffron opened the door. "Hi, Caroline," Saffron said smiling at her.

"Hey," Caroline said. "Um... Ashley just came home, and she's sort of pissed..."

Saffron looked taken aback for a moment. "Where is she?"

"Outside with Katie," Caroline said

Saffron nodded and quickly followed Caroline back downstairs and outside.

"Hey," Saffron said poking her head outside.

"Aunt Saffy," Katie said. "She's turning a little green."

"Oh dear," Saffron conjured up a can and put it in front of her niece just as Ashley began to retch.

Katie quickly turned away. "We'll---we'll just go and get her some water..."

Saffron nodded. "Give us a few minutes."

Katie nodded and she and Caroline disappeared inside.

Ashley didn't think she'd ever felt this awful as she wiped at her mouth. "I want to die..."

"And about an hour ago, I imagine you felt like you were on top of the world," Saffron said patting her niece's back.

Ashley nodded miserably.

"I'm just glad that you're home and you're safe and you're doing something you would regret," Saffron said.

Ashley shrugged. "I don't know why I did it... Brit and I thought we'd just have a glass of wine... it turned into three, and then these blokes bought us shots..."

"I had a moment like that too," Saffron said. "Look, I'm not going to tell you not to do it. You're eighteen and you can drink if you want. Just don't overdo it, Ash. That isn't you."

"I know," Ashley rubbed at her forehead.

Tears welled up in her eyes and Saffron gave her hand a squeeze. "Hey, Ash...it's not the end of the world..."

"There's just a lot of things," Ashley said. "Things that I don't even know how to sort out."

"You'll figure them out," Saffron said. "You're the most responsible person I know."

Ashley managed the tiniest of smiles as Katie poked her head out with some water.

"Are you done retching?" Katie asked hesitantly.

"I think so," Ashley mumbled.

Katie stepped outside and walked over to her sister. She handed her the glass. "Uncle RJ was in the kitchen. He's making you a hangover potion."

Ashley sat back in relief. "Thank you."

"No problem," Katie said.

"Would you ask him to bring it out here when he's done brewing it?" Saffron asked her niece.

Katie nodded. "Sure."

"Thank you," Saffron smiled at her.

Saffron gave her niece a hug. "It'll be okay, Ashley. I promise."

"Thanks," Ashley said quietly. "I won't be doing this again for a long while."

Ashley thought about the look of disappointment on Zander's face. She was messing things up for him when it was the last thing on earth she wanted to do. Maybe getting away on her trip would be the best thing for both of them. They could finally move on. The thought of that upset her more than she cared to admit.

349. IMPORTANT AUTHORS NOTE

Don't know if the file has gotten too big or if Portkey is having issues but we were getting corrupted files when we tried to upload new chapters to the story.
We have set up a second story under the title "Last Dance 2" to post the updated chapters. Sorry for the confusion but this has nearly driven me crazy trying to get the chapter posted.
We hope you guys will continue to read and review! The new story starts from Chapter 351 (From Last Dance) and the updated chapter will be posted in Last Dance 2.